Once & Again by scarlett
Summary: There was a past between them. Nick tried to get over with the woman he loved but fate gave them another chance to prove the power of love happened once...and again.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: None
Genres: Alternate Universe, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 31 Completed: Yes Word count: 38221 Read: 47611 Published: 12/24/05 Updated: 05/29/06

1. ONE by scarlett

2. TWO by scarlett

3. THREE by scarlett

4. FOUR by scarlett

5. FOUR by scarlett

6. FIVE by scarlett

7. SIX by scarlett

8. SEVEN by scarlett

9. EIGHT by scarlett

10. NINE by scarlett

11. TEN by scarlett

12. ELEVEN by scarlett

13. TWELVE by scarlett

14. THIRTEEN by scarlett

15. FOURTEEN by scarlett

16. FIFTEEN by scarlett

17. SIXTEEN by scarlett

18. SEVENTEEN by scarlett

19. EIGHTEEN by scarlett

20. NINETEEN by scarlett

21. TWENTY by scarlett

22. TWENTY ONE by scarlett

23. TWENTY TWO by scarlett

24. TWENTY THREE by scarlett

25. TWENTY FOUR by scarlett

26. TWENTY FIVE by scarlett

27. TWENTY SIX by scarlett

28. TWENTY SEVEN by scarlett

29. TWENTY EIGHT by scarlett

30. Epilogue by scarlett

31. Next Fanfic by scarlett

ONE by scarlett
CHAPTER 1



Shaira drew a deep breath as she opened the cover of the skillet after five minutes. She tested the tenderness of the rolled turkey cutlets with a fork and found it just right. They’re now ready for preparation. The head chef peered over her shoulder.

“Is everything alright, Shaira?”

“Yes, Dan.” Shaira smiled at the chef. She removed the skillet from the fire as Dan prepared two dinner plates on the work area. Shaira carefully arranged the rolled cutlets, seam-side down, on it. After a while, Dan poured the sauce over it. Cris, the dining supervisor, entered the kitchen and placed the finished plates on the tray.

“Wish me luck,” Cris winked at them and then made her way out into the formal dining area. Dan and Shaira looked through the round glass mirror to watch their hard-worked masterpiece being served to the President of the United States and to the owner of the hotel where the restaurant is. The president makes the first taste as soon as Cris presented it. They held their breath as they watched him chew his food, savor the taste and slowly smiled. He said something to the older man across the table from him and then to Cris, who later makes her way back to the kitchen.

“What did he say?” Shaira anxiously asked her. Cris is grinning widely.

“He asked me the name of the dish and he wanted to meet you.” Cris replied excitedly.

“Oh my God!” Shaira consciously arranged her hair as Cris took the apron from her. “Do I look fine? Smell me! Do I smell like an onion?”

Dan laughed. “You still looked great, Shaira.” He holds her hand. “Come on. Let’s make your grandfather proud.” Shaira didn’t get a chance as Dan already pulled her out from the kitchen. Her knees wobbled as she saw her grandfather sitting across the table from the president. She couldn’t discern the look from her grandfather. She was never close to him. She tries everything to be close to him but he’s always stern. Lucas Chrysler is a cold man.

“Mr. President, I’d like to present to you my competent team in the kitchen.” Lucas started as soon as the three of them got near. “Dan Reynolds is our head chef and beside him is Shaira Richardson, the assistant chef. Cris Asutilla is our dining supervisor.”

President Bush gives a handshake to each one of them. “I’m impressed and very much delighted to finally meet you and tasted your expertise. As you may well know, I heard a lot about your dynamic team and I took the opportunity to have the experience while I’m here in New York.”

“Thank you, Sir. It’s been a great privilege to cook for you tonight.” Dan said. Shaira remain silent at his side.

“You’re welcome,” the president turned to Shaira. “I’m very impressed that your granddaughter is one of the chefs, Lucas. She’s quite a remarkable woman.” Shaira smiled and slightly bowed her head in reply.

“Shaira wanted to serve our clients on a firsthand basis rather than be in the office to handle our corporate affairs.” Lucas replied. “She’s fit to work there anyway. She graduated in a prestigious culinary school and took the interest of cooking from her mother. I only let my grandchildren to do whatever things that interest them.”

And Lucas never showed he cared. Shaira looked at her grandfather. He’s been indifferent ever since she and her brother arrived in New York to live with him. As a child who just met her grandparents for the first time, she tried to make a good impression. But he never showed emotions to her, even if other people are praising her in front of him. “Grandpa is right, Mr. President. Thank you and it’s been a great pleasure to serve you today. If you’ll be back in New York, you’re always welcome in our restaurant.” She spoke. Her grandfather only gave her a nod.

Everyone thought how lucky she is to be one of Lucas Chrysler’s grandchildren. Little they knew how hard it was to be a granddaughter to a coldhearted man such as him.



~~~



Nick stopped on his tracks and took shots of the continued line of the Great Wall. He smiled for the nth time. He sighed and still feels overwhelmed by the experience of finally seeing one of the wonders of the world. As a travel journalist and a professional photographer, he had the opportunity to go around, discover places and culture and meet new people.

“Speechless again, Mr. Carter?” Cixi asked her companion. Nick’s tourist guide walked back and gazed at the horizon, looking out at the long stretch of the Great Wall ahead of them.

“It’s amazing how thousands of forced laborers have built this barrier against their northern enemies and made this strategic landmark turn into an ancient wonder.” Nick remarked. He leaned against the hard wall and browsed his digital camera.

Cixi nodded. “Yes, it’s really amazing.” She saw the pictures. “How long have you been doing this?”

Nick looked at her. “This?” He shrugged and turned once again to the widespread of green mountains ahead of them. “I’ve been into this for I think, eight years. But professionally, I’ve started six years ago when I finished my studies. But before that, I was a street kid. Do you follow me?” Nick grinned. When Cixi nodded, he continued. “I grew up in a government shelter and dreamed of making it through poverty. I’m an orphan and never knew any relatives but it doesn’t stop me from dreaming. I started working in multiple jobs. I save and I save. Back then, I met a man who became my best friend and influenced me in his interest with photography. Brian is some rich kid I met in one of my jobs. He helped me through this and I owed him a lot for that. I studied photography in a period of time and got the opportunity of different sorts.”

“Very inspiring story of hard work and perseverance.” Cixi smiled.

Nick scratched his head. “Yeah, probably.” He shrugged. “I love telling about it. It inspires me to remember where I came from. I mean, I tried all my best. I now have a place I can call my home, food for my stomach and something for my savings. I don’t go after any other material things in the world. I’m just happy with what simple things I have. Simple joys, simple pleasures.”

“And where’s your friend Brian?” Cixi asked as they returned to walking and Nick began taking a good angle for his pictures.

“He’s married and now lives in Atlanta. He’s a good family man now.”

“How about you? With that looks, I’m sure you already got a special someone.”

Nick drew a deep breath, remembering a former love. “No, there’s none.” He puts his arms on Cixi’s shoulders. “So, do you want to go out with me tonight?”

“Sure. I’ll take my boyfriend along.” Cixi winked.

Nick grinned. “Yeah, I forgot about that. Anyway, your boyfriend is a nice guy. When I met him last night, he even offered me a job in his company. Are you looking out for the future?”

“Maybe.” Cixi smiled knowingly.

Nick smiled and nodded. He didn’t notice a stone block rose unevenly and he tripped. “Ow!” He tried saving his camera and fell down badly on the stone floor.

“Nick!” Cixi was caught by surprise with his unexpected fall. Nick winced in pain as she examined his ankle. “This is not good. You might have twisted your ankle or something. Let me help you go back.”

Nick groaned as Cixi supported his weight. That’s bad news, he thought as he looked from where they came from. They’ve gone too far and it’s going to be pure torture to go back.
TWO by scarlett




CHAPTER 2

“Good evening, Shaira.”

Shaira smiled as she glanced at the bellman who greeted her at the lobby. “It’s good morning, Jenkins. How’s your son?” She asked as she pressed the buttons and waited for the elevator. Almost everyone in the hotel knew her, if not as the owner’s grandchild, it was as one of their work colleagues.

“He’s fine. It’s only a minor fever.” Jenkins replied. The elevator reached the ground floor and opened before them.

“I’m glad to hear that.” They stepped inside. “By the way, did my brother come home?”

“He’s here after he took his wife at the airport. Your grandfather is at the penthouse too.”

“Right now?” Shaira’s eyes widened. She stared at the elevator as it closed before them. She feels nervous just at the mere thought of facing her grandfather. He made her known that he didn’t like her and Kevin, her older brother.

“He came straight upstairs after the president’s visit yesterday. Of course, you’re too busy at the kitchen to even know everything. Everybody was tensed when the owner is in the house, you know. We’re like under surveillance when Mr. Lucas is here.”

“I know the feeling,” Shaira muttered. Why didn’t her grandfather just go home to the Hamptons instead? The elevator reached eight floor and Jenkins bid goodbye to her. Once she’s alone, she had the urge to press any button to prevent it from reaching the penthouse. She lives there with Kevin and his wife. She didn’t tried looking for another place to stay for many reasons, mostly because of her grandfather.

First, she didn’t want to use the trust fund she received from her deceased grandmother to start on her own. She knows that part of the money from her generous grandmother was from her husband. She didn’t want to use anything that came from Lucas. She decided to work and the money she’s trying to save will be used to pay for an apartment she’ll be renting soon and something to start for herself. She even refused to accept a suite that her grandfather has offered to her. She didn’t want to owe anything from him. So right now, she needs more time to get everything settled. She wanted independence and not from her brother, but from their grandfather.

Second, Kevin asked her a favor to stay a little longer with him. His wife, Kristin, just had a miscarriage and needs her companionship every now and then. The couple appreciates her presence in their home and for that, Shaira knew that she cannot refuse the only family who accepted her. Their parents died many years ago in an accident. And from that, they learned that their mother was a daughter of a powerful businessman in New York. Laurice Chrysler ran away from her father when he opposed her choice of a husband. Ivan Richardson is a poor merchant of whom she met in Lexington and she fell in love with. At the death of their parents, a lawyer arrived in their house in Kentucky and brought them to New York. They never thought that it will forever change their lives.

Others thought they were fortunate. But as she started living a wealthy life, she never felt close to being lucky. Lucas, unlike other grandfathers, was a very indifferent one while his wife, Johanna, was a loving grandmother. Shaira was closer to her grandmother and when Johanna died of heart attack, she knew she’s on her own starting that day.

She knew she is alone from then on.

The elevator dinged and opened at the topmost floor of the hotel. Her heart beats faster and exhaled deeply as she stepped out. There was silence at the corridor. As she walks near the door, she heard faint voices of people talking. Before she reached the knob, the door opened before her and her cousin, Romina, stood there.

“Finally, you’re here.” Romina smirked and looked at her from head to foot. Her ever-glamorous cousin opened the door wider and Shaira saw Kevin and their grandfather standing by the large glass windows.

“Why are you here?” Shaira asked quietly. Her cousin disliked her since the first time they met years ago. The feeling is mutual anyway. And Shaira will never forget what Romina has done last year. She took the freedom from her when she thought she can finally be free from her grandfather’s manipulations.

“Business matters, something you’re not competent with.” Romina retorted in a low voice. She always saw her as nothing but a stupid cook in the hotel’s kitchen. Before, she can make Shaira feel worthless but she got over it. Shaira will never let Romina make her feel inferior again. She watched as her cousin walked towards their grandfather, announcing Shaira’s arrival.

Shaira saw Kevin giving her a warm smile. She likes her brother so much. No matter how far their age gap is, Kevin has been the nicest brother one could ever have. She’s still thankful to have him there. Lucas, on the other hand, faced his granddaughter. “Your shift ended two hours ago.” He started. “What took you so long?”

“I still have to do some paper works before I leave.” Shaira replied. “How are you? What brings you here?” She asked in an almost-cheery voice. Romina raised an eyebrow on that as she busied herself pouring some scotch whisky on the wine goblets.

She got used to trying to gain his affection but always failed. It’s true, she didn’t want anything to do with him but she couldn’t deny that Lucas is still her grandfather and still have to respect him. And deep down inside, she still wanted to please him, to be acknowledged as his granddaughter which is something she longed for since she’s young.

“I’m tired to consider traveling late last night so I stayed over.” Lucas replied. He turned back to Kevin. Shaira knew that she’s been dismissed. She started to retire to her bedroom.

“Did you already know?” Romina asked, following her behind. When Shaira didn’t reply, she continued. “Howie is getting married and he invited us. Do you know what that means? We’re going to see Nick again because he’s going to be part of the entourage.”

“Do you really have to say that?” Shaira rolled her eyes. “Look, Romina. Nick is yours. You can go to hell together.” She stood face to face with her cousin when she reached her room.

“Sure, my pleasure.” Romina chuckled. She’s probably there only to taunt Shaira about Nick. Well, Shaira is not going to give her the pleasure of knowing that she’s still fuming from what she did to her last year.

“I’m glad you’re happy.” Shaira said with a fake smile.

“You are?” Romina raised an eyebrow. “Yeah, right. So, are you coming?”

“Of course. Howie is a friend and it’s his wedding day.” Shaira watched as Romina left her room and slammed it shut when her cousin is gone.

~~~



After a few hours rest, Shaira is ready to work again for her shift in the kitchen. After preparing herself for everything, she went out of her room and expected that she’s the only one left in the suite. Kevin is most likely in the office for his work as Marketing Director the hotel while their grandfather and Romina must have left already. But to her surprise, Lucas is still there. Shaira found him reading some documents on the long table in front of him.

“Grandpa. I thought you’re already gone.” Shaira bit her lower lip as she consciously puts some food in the microwave for her lunch.

Lucas looked at her over his reading glasses. “I’m waiting for you.” He watched her takes time with her food.

“Oh.” Shaira prepares her food and set it aside. She went to sit down where Lucas is patiently waiting for her. “Is there something you wanted to say?”

“I want you to get married.” Lucas said without preamble.

Shaira tried to smile although she was surprised. She’s also starting to panic, knowing that her grandfather always had hidden agenda up on his sleeve. “Oh, but I don’t even have a boyfriend yet, grandpa. That’s impossible.”

“I have someone arranged for you.” Lucas said in a cold tone, like he’s talking to a fellow businessman and not to his granddaughter. Her grandfather is old but he never lost that commanding and overpowering aura he possessed and always scares her. But she’ll never let him have his way in controlling her life now. Marriage is a very big step to ever consider it.

“No, no, no. I don’t like that, grandpa.” Shaira stood up.

“Sit down.” Lucas commanded her.

But Shaira ignored him. “Why are you doing this, grandpa? I don’t want you arranging something like that for me.” Her brows furrowed. Where’s Kevin? Did he know about this? She looked around, trying to look for her brother. “I have my own life now. I’m sorry, grandpa, but I don’t want to do what you want me to do.”

“Even if I arranged for you to marry Nick?”

“What?!”

That’s ridiculous!
THREE by scarlett


CHAPTER 3



Shaira looked closely to her grandfather. There’s something going on to make him decide on this. She had known him for a long time to know that he’s cooking up something. “What changed your mind about Nick?” she asked, obviously getting mad at any pressing moment. “You said that he’s not the one for me. You said that he won’t give me what I need. You said that –“

“I know what I said and it will never change.” Lucas interrupted her. “But in spite of that, I want you to marry him.”

“Why?”

Lucas pounded his fist on the wooden table. “No more questions! Just do what I told you to do!” Shaira stepped back. “You’re going to marry him as soon as possible. It’s going to be good for you, for him and for the company, if that’s what you’re thinking.”

“I always know that everything you do is always for the company but I won’t marry Nick.”

“Yes, you will. I will see that you will.” Lucas stood up and walked to the door. “You’re not going to defy me, Shaira! You’re just my granddaughter and you’ll do what I told you to do or else, you and your brother will be left with nothing but the clothes on your back.” He didn’t give her the chance to say anything more as the door slammed behind him.

Shaira froze. How could he do this to her. Slowly, she sits down on the chair and can only break down and cry.



~~~



Shaira looked helplessly to her brother as Kevin paced around the room. She just told him about what their grandfather wanted her to do and wasn’t surprised that Kevin knows about it. “I told grandpa to think about it again. I mean, this is you we’re talking about. He just can’t get you married to someone and to all people, to Nick.” Kevin sighed. “I’m sorry, Shaira, if I wasn’t here earlier. I got a meeting and I shouldn’t miss it.”

“I understand, Kevin.” Shaira sniffed. She didn’t get to work that day and asked Dan for a day off. “What’s happening? I know something is going on but why would he want me to do such thing?”

Kevin bit his lower lip. He pondered about something for a while before he sits beside her. “Shaira, the business is on the rocks right now. But grandpa had this very big investor who wanted to have business with us and we couldn’t just ignore the opportunity. However, he also wanted to marry you but I already told him that you’re not available. Grandpa was mad when he learned that I said that. He’s willing to do everything to keep the business going even if it means marrying you off to some stranger.”

He sighed and continued. “I just wanted to protect you and so, grandpa resorted to have you married as soon as possible so that the investor would believe us and he won’t back out on his investment. We have to remain true to our word. He thought that if you’ll be married to someone else, it’ll make the investor believe that you’re already unavailable. It’s a weird proposal and we didn’t know how did he know about you or when did he saw you to even wanting you to be his wife. Grandpa can only think that you should marry and Nick is the only person he knows. I’m sorry, Shaira. I keep on thinking that I brought you in this big trouble.”

Shaira shakes her head. “Don’t say that, Kevin. Grandpa threatened me that if I didn’t do what he wants, we’ll be left with nothing but the clothes we had on. He’s a very cruel man. I don’t even know how he became our grandfather.” She hugged her brother. “Anyway, thank you for always protecting me but right now, I don’t know what to do. Do you want me to get married to Nick?”

“You know and I know that he’s a good man.” Kevin replied. “He might have done some mistakes last year but that doesn’t mean he loved you less. Romina was part of a scheme, we both know that. Grandpa wanted him out of your life and you thought Nick betrayed you. You know in your heart that he didn’t meant whatever happened but you just wouldn’t accept his reason. You broke up with him because you thought that that was your chance to please grandpa. All your life, you wanted to gain grandpa’s love and affection.” He ran his hand across her back. “You did things even though it’ll make you unhappy, just to please grandpa.”

“Who is the investor you’re talking about?”

“His name is Errol Henstridge. He’s still a young man and yet, he’s already a big time real estate businessman who is interested in our company.”

Shaira shrugged. “I haven’t heard his name before.” She sighed. “What should I do, Kevin?”

“Nick should know about this.”

Shaira bit her lip at the thought of seeing Nick again. “He probably hates me now but I’ll try to talk to him. You have a wife and you’re starting to have a family, Kevin. I don’t want you to lose what you have because of me. Grandpa will do everything to get what he wants. I guess, I have to ask Nick to marry me.”

Kevin shakes his head. “It’s alright, Shaira. You don’t have to marry just because we’ll be down to nothing. I can find something else to work or earn a living. We can leave New York and go to some place else. Kristin will understand that. I just don’t want you to do something you don’t want to.” Kevin wiped the tears from her face.

Shaira gave him a little smile. “No, Kevin. I’ll do this. For the last time, I’ll let grandpa manipulate me. But after this, I will have nothing to do with him anymore. Actually last year, I’ve wanted to marry Nick just to be free from grandpa. That’s aside from the fact that I loved him.”

“But this time is different, Shaira. We just can’t convince Nick to marry you without offering anything in return.” Kevin came into deep thinking. They grew silent for a while as they thought of anything to do. Shaira stared at her brother, feeling shy that he always looks after her for all these years. He performed the role of a big brother so well and she is very grateful of that. She saw the big eyebrows were almost connected to each other as Kevin frowned into deep thinking. He’s trying hard to end this dilemma.

Finally, Kevin looked at his sister once again. “I know what to do. Trust me, Shaira. I’ll do something for Nick.”
FOUR by scarlett
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Lucas wanted his granddaughter, Shaira, to marry immediately without explaining why. He threatened her that he's going to strip her and Kevin with what they have if she didn't follow what he wanted to be done. Later, Kevin explained to his sister that the company is in turmoil and a big investor only wanted to close a deal with them if only he will marry Shaira. Kevin lied to the investor and told him that she's married, just so to protect his sister. But circumstances are...Lucas is going to marry Shaira off to anybody else by hook or by crook.








CHAPTER 4



Nick looked around the conference room and drew a deep breath once again. What has made him step into this place once again? Oh, he remembered. Kevin Richardson suddenly called one day and he wanted to do some business with him.

He met Kevin through his friend, Howie, when he went for a diving trip in Florida. Kevin is a nice man and easy to get along with. They’ve known each other for a long while before he finally got introduced to his sister, Shaira. Nick saw the other side of Kevin, being the protective and loving big brother to Shaira. He earned Nick’s respect for that. He liked Shaira from the instant they met but it took him a long while and a great deal of confidence to ask Shaira out, considering that Kevin might interfere. But he didn’t and Nick heaved a sigh of relief.

After a year since the bad breakup, Nick was surprised to receive a call from Kevin and made an appointment for a meeting. It happened before when Kevin wanted him for a project but that was when things between them are still smooth and clean. Now, he didn’t know what to expect from Kevin.

His musings were interrupted when the door opened and Romina came in. Nick hid his frown as he watched the woman, the reason for his breakup with Shaira, turns around the long table and sits on the other end. He remained the professionalism instead and greeted her in a serious tone.

“The others will follow shortly,” Romina said with that charming smile of hers. “To give you an idea of the business proposal, it’s all about your photographs. It’s just that simple. The Marketing department needs your expertise for the new image we’re launching for our hotel chain. You will have a series of photo shoots at selected locations and we’ll pay you for every expense that will incur, from the raw materials up to the finished product. And we also have a great proposal for your exposure as a professional photographer. How would you like the offer, Mr. Carter?”

Nick gathered his jaws back from being awed. “Frankly, I understand that you’re giving me an opportunity to make a name for myself.”

“But?”

“No buts.” Nick said. He wanted to hear the rest of what the proposal is all about. He glanced when Kevin entered the room, followed by Marc, another cousin of theirs. Truly, the Chrysler Group of Hotels is run by the family. Everyone who is a member of the clan is involved, even Shaira who works as an assistant chef in the hotel’s restaurant.

“I assumed that Romina already told you about the business proposal,” Kevin started after Nick shook hands with them. They all sat together by the long table.

“Have you brought your portfolio with you?” Marc asked as he sets up his laptop and opened the screen projector. Nick gave him a CD where his portfolio is. It mainly consists of his professional profile and mostly his photographs.

“We made a research and browsed on your personal website,” Kevin said. They turned to the screen projector whereas Marc did a slideshow of what is in Nick’s CD. “It’s actually great. Mr. Lucas Chrysler considered you as the first choice for the project. This meeting serves as the final turning point of either you’ll accept it or not and you’re going to be the driver of the marketing plan.”

“If you’re wondering about the pay, we’re settled on a thousand dollars for every photograph that will be hung on every Chrysler hotel,” Marc added. “And you’ll also be given a monthly salary equivalent to all the photos you have with us. Just imagine how many hotels we have and how many walls that will be used to display your work.”

“Aside from that, you’ll have the legal rights on it and we’ll arrange the necessary to our lawyers.” Marc looked at Kevin then back to him. “They will be coming shortly for this meeting. And that’s not enough. There will also be an opportunity that our guests may buy your artwork if they are interested on it. The income that will be received on that will be shared between you and the company. Of course, we’re still in business and knowing that you’re the expert in this area, we know that our patrons will be interested to have even at least one of your photos. And for the launching of our new image, you will also have your own photo exhibit for that day.” Marc continued to sell the proposal to Nick and the latter can only stare at him in amazement.

The figures he’ll earn started rolling down on his mind. Nick wanted to put up his own studio and he’s been saving long enough for it. Aside from that, he also wanted to sponsor a school where he could help children to get an education. With this proposal, he can easily get any of his plans soon enough. This is his chance. “Why me?” Nick threw the unexpected question from them.

The three looked at each other then back to him. Kevin smiled and hoping that his own plans are working. “We saw your potential, Nick.” He replied. “And your photos are full of substance that captures every moment of experience on it. We knew you then as part of the Chrysler family when you first worked for us on our previous image but this is a better opportunity and exposure for your talent. Families help each other, Nick.” Marc nodded to what his cousin is telling Nick. “We want to help you with your career, more than being the already talented travel journalist that you are, too.”

“I feel overwhelmed,” Nick said. Kevin’s mention of the word family actually sealed the deal for him. He never had one and right now, that magic word made him feel belonged. “Thank you for your kind words.”

“But?” The three almost asked in unison.

Nick laughed. “No buts. I’m taking the offer.”


~~~


Nick shook hands with the lawyers, Marc and Romina when the meeting ended more than three hours ago. They settled everything from photo shoots, expenses up to the finishing touches. Nick is excited to tell about this to Corey, his publisher in the magazine he’s working with, and Brian, his best friend. For him, his two friends were his biggest fans.

Romina gave him a knowing smile and a wink before she went out of the conference room. Oh yes. She still hadn’t forgotten about what she did last year, Nick silently thought as he followed her with an icy glare.

“I never thought that I’d see you again,” Kevin started behind him. He takes a tight hold on his crutches as he turn and stood face to face with his former girlfriend’s brother. He respected Kevin so much and he doesn’t want to be in trouble with him as much as he could. He doesn’t want to be at the end of Kevin Richardson’s bad temper too. He had one in the past and received a knock out on that which left him a swollen face for more than a week. “Welcome back to the family.” He said. Nick never knew how did the words mean something more for Kevin.

Nick nodded. “Thank you.” It was all he could say at the moment. He shook hands with him then went to pick up his laptop bag and his other things. He felt Kevin watching his every move.

“What happened to you? How did you hurt yourself?”

“I had a minor accident when I was in China. I can walk but I just don’t want to hurt myself more if I get rid of the crutches. My doctor advised me to leave it by next week.”

Kevin nodded. “Anyway, I’ll see you at Howie’s wedding, too.” he added then proceeded ahead of him. He didn’t say anything more. He’s gone in an instant which left Nick wondering what could be in Kevin’s mind now that they’ve met again. Now that he’s alone, Nick finally drew out a sigh of relief.

For Kevin, who confidently walks down the hall, plan A was successfully executed.
FOUR by scarlett
CHAPTER 4


Nick looked around the conference room and drew a deep breath once again. What has made him step into this place once again? Oh, he remembered. Kevin Richardson suddenly called one day and he wanted to do some business with him.

He met Kevin through his friend, Howie, when he went for a diving trip in Florida. Kevin is a nice man and easy to get along with. They’ve known each other for a long while before he finally got introduced to his sister, Shaira. Nick saw the other side of Kevin, being the protective and loving big brother to Shaira. He earned Nick’s respect for that. He liked Shaira from the instant they met but it took him a long while and a great deal of confidence to ask Shaira out, considering that Kevin might interfere. But he didn’t and Nick heaved a sigh of relief.

After a year since the bad breakup, Nick was surprised to receive a call from Kevin and made an appointment for a meeting. It happened before when Kevin wanted him for a project but that was when things between them are still smooth and clean. Now, he didn’t know what to expect from Kevin.

His musings were interrupted when the door opened and Romina came in. Nick hid his frown as he watched the woman, the reason for his breakup with Shaira, turns around the long table and sits on the other end. He remained the professionalism instead and greeted her in a serious tone.

“The others will follow shortly,” Romina said with that charming smile of hers. “To give you an idea of the business proposal, it’s all about your photographs. It’s just that simple. The Marketing department needs your expertise for the new image we’re launching for our hotel chain. You will have a series of photo shoots at selected locations and we’ll pay you for every expense that will incur, from the raw materials up to the finished product. And we also have a great proposal for your exposure as a professional photographer. How would you like the offer, Mr. Carter?”

Nick gathered his jaws back from being awed. “Frankly, I understand that you’re giving me an opportunity to make a name for myself.”

“But?”

“No buts.” Nick said. He wanted to hear the rest of what the proposal is all about. He glanced when Kevin entered the room, followed by Marc, another cousin of theirs. Truly, the family runs the Chrysler Group of Hotels. Everyone who is a member of the clan is involved, even Shaira who works as an assistant chef in the hotel’s restaurant.

“I assumed that Romina already told you about the business proposal,” Kevin started after Nick shook hands with them. They all sat together by the long table.

“Have you brought your portfolio with you?” Marc asked as he sets up his laptop and opened the screen projector. Nick gave him a CD where his portfolio is. It mainly consists of his professional profile and mostly his photographs.

“We made a research and browsed on your personal website,” Kevin said. They turned to the screen projector whereas Marc did a slideshow of what is in Nick’s CD. “It’s actually great. Mr. Lucas Chrysler considered you as the first choice for the project. This meeting serves as the final turning point of either you’ll accept it or not and you’re going to be the driver of the marketing plan.”

“If you’re wondering about the pay, we’re settled on a thousand dollars for every photograph that will be hung on every Chrysler hotel,” Marc added. “And you’ll also be given a monthly salary equivalent to all the photos you have with us. Just imagine how many hotels we have and how many walls that will be used to display your work.”

“Aside from that, you’ll have the legal rights on it and we’ll arrange the necessary to our lawyers.” Marc looked at Kevin then back to him. “They will be coming shortly for this meeting. And that’s not enough. There will also be an opportunity that our guests may buy your artwork if they are interested on it. The income that will be received on that will be shared between you and the company. Of course, we’re still in business and knowing that you’re the expert in this area, we know that our patrons will be interested to have even at least one of your photos. And for the launching of our new image, you will also have your own photo exhibit on that day.” Marc continued to sell the proposal to Nick and the latter can only stare at him in amazement.

The figures he’ll earn started rolling down on his mind. Nick wanted to put up his own studio and he’s been saving long enough for it. Aside from that, he also wanted to sponsor a school where he could help children to get an education. With this proposal, he can easily get any of his plans soon enough. This is his chance. “Why me?” Nick threw the unexpected question from them.

The three looked at each other then back to him. Kevin smiled and hoping that his own plans are working. “We saw your potential, Nick.” He replied. “And your photos are full of substance that captures every moment of experience on it. We knew you then as part of the Chrysler family when you first worked for us on our previous image but this is a better opportunity and exposure for your talent. Families help each other, Nick.” Marc nodded to what his cousin is telling Nick. “We want to help you with your career, more than being the already talented travel journalist that you are, too.”

“I feel overwhelmed,” Nick said. Kevin’s mention of the word family actually sealed the deal for him. He never had one and right now, that magic word made him feel belonged. “Thank you for your kind words.”

“But?” The three almost asked in unison.

Nick laughed. “No buts. I’m taking the offer.”


~~~


Nick shook hands with the lawyers, Marc and Romina when the meeting ended more than three hours ago. They settled everything from photo shoots, expenses up to the finishing touches. Nick is excited to tell about this to Corey, his publisher in the magazine he’s working with, and Brian, his best friend. For him, his two friends were his biggest fans.

Romina gave him a knowing smile and a wink before she went out of the conference room. Oh yes. She still hadn’t forgotten about what she did last year, Nick silently thought as he followed her with an icy glare.

“I never thought that I’d see you again,” Kevin started behind him. He takes a tight hold on his crutches as he turn and stood face to face with his former girlfriend’s brother. He respected Kevin so much and he doesn’t want to be in trouble with him as much as he could. He doesn’t want to be at the end of Kevin Richardson’s bad temper too. He had one in the past and received a knock out on that which left him a swollen face for more than a week. “Welcome back to the family.” He said. Nick never knew how the words meant something more for Kevin.

Nick nodded. “Thank you.” It was all he could say at the moment. He shook hands with him then went to pick up his laptop bag and his other things. He felt Kevin watching his every move.

“What happened to you? How did you hurt yourself?”

“I had a minor accident when I was in China. I can walk but I just don’t want to hurt myself more if I get rid of the crutches. My doctor advised me to leave it by next week.”

Kevin nodded. “Anyway, I’ll see you at Howie’s wedding, too.” he added then proceeded ahead of him. He didn’t say anything more. He’s gone in an instant which left Nick wondering what could be in Kevin’s mind now that they’ve met again. Now that he’s alone, Nick finally drew out a sigh of relief.

For Kevin, who confidently walks down the hall, plan A was successfully executed.
FIVE by scarlett
CHAPTER 5


Shaira only knocked three times and heard the voice on the other end asking her to wait. So she waited. She hasn’t set foot in Nick’s apartment for a long time since they broke up last year. It was a bad breakup and she didn’t know what to expect once Nick learn who has come to see him.

“Why are you giving me a rebooking fee when I haven’t used my ticket yet? All right, you know what? Do whatever I want. Schedule it a month from now and charge the fee to my credit card. I assume that my personal details are in your records.” She heard Nick talking to someone, probably on the phone. She also heard the clicking and fumbling on the doorknob as it slowly opened.

When it opened, Shaira saw Nick juggling on a piece of papers on hand and crutches that were supporting his weight on the other. His phone is pressed between his ear and his shoulders. He is wearing an old worn-out shirt and faded jeans. If anyone can only see him right now, they’d say that he is really worlds apart from Shaira. That is one of the reasons why Lucas didn’t approve of their relationship. He wanted a rich and reputable man for her, just like the way he wanted before with his daughter, Shaira’s mother.

“Got to ask Corey for reimbursement,” she heard Nick muttered. “Shit!” He dropped his phone as soon as he saw Shaira on the door.

They looked at each other for a while and then Shaira bents down to pick up his mobile phone and gave it to him. Nick turned his gaze away from her as he continued with his call. “Sorry. Hello? I’ll have it revalidated, probably tomorrow.” He glanced at her for a while. When the call ended, he faced her again. His blonde hair almost covers his eyes. “What brings you here?”

“I have a proposal for you.” Shaira started. “Aren’t you going to invite me inside?”

Nick can only open his door wider for her and she went inside. “This is a record. I just had a meeting with your brother this morning for a business proposal and now you’re here, offering me your own proposal too. Is it decent?”

“Don’t flatter yourself, Carter.” If he only knew, Shaira’s heart is pounding so fast from knowing what she’s about to tell him in any moment from now. He grinned and she frowned, trying to hide what those smile used to do to her senses. “I came here for a serious proposal.”

“Tell me what it is.”

“It’s actually a marriage proposal.”

There was silence for a while and Shaira fights herself from turning away from him. She held his gaze. He looked as if he’s weighing out that what he just heard from her is true. “Are you insane?” He chuckled. He went to the fridge and gets a bottle of water. He handed it to her. “You’re overexposed to heat in the kitchen. You might just need to loosen up.”

“I’m serious, Nick.” Shaira ignored the bottled water from him. “I threw away whatever pride that I have and I need you now to marry me.” And Kevin took the risk of making that proposal although the company’s status is in turmoil. Shaira insisted her brother to come up with something to blackmail Nick. She knew it’s wrong but there’s no other way now.

“What are the odds? Are you doing this to please your grandfather, again? He hates me remember?” Nick stepped closer to her.

Shaira gave him a defying look when he moved closer to her. “He is actually the one who wanted me to marry you.”

“Oh? What if I said no?” Nick smirked and turned away. He went to place the papers, the rejected bottled water and the phone he had on his desk. He’s not going to make this easy for her.

Shaira got the chance to look around his apartment. He had been the messy one and she would always clean up his place whenever she went to stay over. After a year, the clutter lessened. He seemed more organized and tidy now. There were no dishes left unwashed on the sink, books were arranged on the shelf and the throw pillows on the sofa were all in place. The old apartment looked nicer and homey. She silently nodded in approval. “Are you going to force me, huh, Shaira?” Nick asked.

“I’ll do what it takes. I heard from Kevin that you’d be in their new marketing project which will earn you quite a lot of money.” Shaira said. Nick snapped his head up when he heard her. He glared at her that sends shivers down to her spine. He never gave her that look.

“Are you going to blackmail me?”

“No, I’m just giving you options. Marry me and you’ll stay on the project. I know how much you wanted it because you’re saving up for a business you wanted to put up to.” Shaira replied. She turned to the wall to look at his framed pictures. “We know you have the talent but this opportunity only comes once so I’m giving you the options. You’ll also have the chance to leave this old apartment. You will marry me and you will remain in the project or you will be stuck in that magazine for all of your life.”

“You make it seem that I don’t enjoy working as a travel journalist. And you used to love staying in this apartment.”

“I didn’t say that but being in that magazine isn’t paying you much than you deserve. And this apartment is so old and filthy.” Shaira lied when in truth, she would trade any luxurious penthouse suites in the world if only she can stay in a cozy apartment like Nick’s. She faced him and she gasped when he was so near, she almost bumped into him. Damn those ocean blue eyes. Her defenses melt whenever she looks at them and Nick seemed to know that. “You are talented and you need this break. You need the exposure to be successful in this field you’ve chosen to. If you marry me, you’ll have it without any hassle. But if you don’t, you’ll lose it just like that.” She snapped her fingers to prove her point. She’ll congratulate herself later once she leaves the place – for putting up a brave face.

“Did you know how ridiculous and pathetic you are?” Nick said quietly as he stared at her face and down to her mouth.

Shaira held her breath. “Yes, because my grandfather wanted me to marry off to someone I didn’t want to. He wanted me to marry you and he gave me no choice. I have to do this.”

“Or else?” Nick leaned closer as if he is about to kiss her.

“That’s just between me and my grandpa. You might not believe me but you know, one of these days, it’s either his lawyers or himself will drop by to talk to you.” She didn’t make any move when he’s closer than she thought he would be. His chest is now pressed against hers and she could smell his masculine scent. She felt the wall behind her when she stepped back. She’s trapped. She closed her eyes when he tilted his head and felt his breath coming closer to her face.

It must have been a while as she waited for the kiss to happen until she could feel him no longer near. He pulled away. “Let me think about it.” She heard Nick said. She opened her eyes and found his teasing grin. Her face grew red with embarrassment. She actually expected him to kiss her and now he’s making a good laugh out of it. She pushed him away.

“I’m not yet through with you.”

“Of course. You’ll be back to hear my answer.” Nick chuckled. Feeling humiliated, Shaira walked to the door while Nick only watched her makes her way out of his apartment.
SIX by scarlett
CHAPTER 6


“Man, you seemed more nervous than Howie.” Shaira heard the remark and looked up to find AJ standing in front of Nick. They were at the front steps of the church and waiting for Howie’s bride to arrive. AJ is another one of Howie’s close friends and his best man. She met him many times whenever she comes down to Florida. AJ is one of the wackiest people she had ever met, apart from the serious one that Howie is. Those two were like oil and water but they were the best of friends. “Get up, kid.” AJ told Nick.

Nick did as he was told. AJ arranged his tie and smirked. “I’m not used to these big family gatherings.” Nick continued. Shaira looked away, trying not to hear their conversation but she’s just too close to even avoid it. Nick, on the other hand, has been successful ignoring her since he came almost a half hour ago.

She saw the guests arriving for the wedding and she saw how close and big Howie’s family is, as well as Amelia’s, Howie’s bride. “I feel nervous around a crowd of people especially if I’m going to be one of the centers of attention. May I skip the part of walking down the aisle and I’ll just meet you ahead?” Nick added quietly.

AJ laughed, so did Kevin, who stood nearby and watching the two. “You’re not the groom, Nick.” AJ said. “You’re not allowed to be nervous or even skip ahead of us.” Nick bit his lower lip. Shaira tried to appear nonchalant as she browsed her phone. She understands his anxiety but others cannot. He is used to being alone all his life and being around a group of people who knew each other intimidates him. It makes him feel insecure over his lack of experience of having a family. His parents died when he was too young to realize his fate and no one raised him but the people in a government shelter. He grew up working to live and poverty didn’t stop him to take his chances to do what he wants to do, to be where he wants to be. Shaira admired him for his courage.

“Thanks,” Nick muttered when AJ was finished on his tie. He walked away but paused when he saw her.

“Hi.” Shaira started to say but Nick only ignored her and turned to the other way.

“What’s the drama?” Romina asked. She’s suddenly there, standing beside Shaira.

“None of your business.”

“Hey, don’t be so cold on me.” Romina teased. “You know, Nick is just shy to approach you because Kevin is around.” Shaira ignored her cousin and walked away. She had to talk to Nick. She needs to know his answer before her grandfather arrives and see him. For sure, she’ll be pressured once again with what Lucas is planning for her life.

She wanted to scream in frustration. When will she ever have the control of her own life?


~~~


“Nick.”

Oh God, Shaira groaned silently when she heard her grandfather calling her former boyfriend. She appeared oblivious to what is going on as she continued to listen to what her seatmate is talking about. The wedding was done two hours ago and they were in a garden of some exclusive country club for the wedding reception. She tries to occupy herself by mingling with some of Howie’s relatives that she knew and tried to ignore Nick’s presence. He seemed successful in doing the same thing anyway.

“May I dance with you?” She heard Nick asking her. Her grandfather literally asked Nick to take her to the dance. The old man can actually do that. As for Nick, the words seemed to come out from his nose, clearly noting that he is doing something against his will. It sounds funny but she didn’t mind. She felt her heart race instead because she knows that Nick had his attention on her now. This is her chance to press him for his final answer.

She glanced at her grandfather then to Nick. “No problem,” she said as she takes his hand and let him lead the way to the dance floor. “You know better than to let the man get the upper hand and ask me for a dance.”

"I have no choice. Your grandfather called me and I don't want to make a scene or make him look like a fool. I have no other option and the worst way I had is to ask you to dance. Now tell me why you didn't reject me? You're always hooked around his fingers, trying to please him as much as you could." Nick said as they found the rhythm of the music along with the swaying of their bodies.

“I admit, yes.” Shaira felt him moving closer against him and she scolded herself for feeling ever so wonderful to be back in the arms that once hold her. “Where are your crutches?” She asked, trying to start some conversation.

“My feet are fine. I only had a minor accident on my last trip in China.” Nick’s hands are on her waist while Shaira held him closer as her arms wound around his neck.

“We must not continue with this.” Shaira whispered.

“Hmm…” was all Nick could say as he inhaled the soft lilac scent of Shaira’s perfume. “You know that I love this scent.” He said instead. Shaira blushed at that and thankful that Nick didn’t saw her. “The music is beautiful. Can we just pretend that we were still together, at least at this moment?”

Although surprised by his request, she liked it anyway. “That’s your favorite song, Nick.” Shaira said. “You are a rocker but you’re a softie too.”

“I know.” Nick stared at her and she could feel her heart pounding wildly. Damn those baby blues, she thought. She always loved the way he looked at her with those piercing innocent-like blue eyes. She shouldn’t feel this way. This is the man who fooled a lot last year, the one who hurt her so bad. The man she lost over her decision to choose her grandfather instead. How could she still have this intense feeling for him? Maybe it was just the place or the fact that they’re on this wedding. Everyone gets the love virus during weddings. Or maybe, she just missed him a lot. She loved him then. She felt him held her closer as his hand made her head rest on his shoulders. He softly sings in tune to the music.

You’re lovely with your smile so warm
And your cheeks so soft,
There is nothing for me but to love you,
And the way you look tonight.


Shaira closed her eyes. She loved that song, too. She even mentally noted before that she’ll have it on the list of songs for her own wedding. It just felt so soothing, relaxing…and promisingly loving.

With each word your tenderness grows,
Tearing my fears apart
And that laugh that wrinkles your nose,
Touches my foolish heart.


Foolish heart, Shaira agreed. She savored the moment of having Nick in her arms, even for only a short while. She missed him. God knows how she missed him but she wouldn’t hear what he had to say about what happened last year. She is thinking more of how to get her grandfather’s acceptance. If things were different and she chose Nick over her grandfather, will she be happy for whatever decision she made instead? A tear formed and she immediately held it back. She wouldn’t let Nick see that. She realized that not choosing him is the saddest mistake she has ever done so far.

Yes you're lovely, never, ever change
Keep that breathless charm.
Won't you please arrange it?
'Cause I love you
Just the way you look tonight.


Shaira dismissed the feeling of holding back as she relaxed herself against his shoulder. His voice still makes her soft. She loves that voice that used to cradle her to sleep, lying on his lap and forgetting that the world even existed, forgetting that she yearned for love and acceptance from the man who didn’t approve of her relationship with Nick.

With each word your tenderness grows,
Tearing my fears apart
And that laugh that wrinkles your nose,
Touches my foolish heart.

Yes you're lovely, never, ever change
Keep that breathless charm.
Won't you please arrange it?
'Cause I love you
Just the way you look tonight.

Just the way you look tonight.
Darling
Just the way you look tonight **


When the song ended, the spell between them ended as well. Nick pulled away from her, the softness in the eyes were gone. “We’ll get through this, Shaira.” He said one more time.

“Give me your answer and we’ll definitely get through this.” She said as another song began and more couples were dancing around them.

Nick’s hand softly caressed her face.

Shaira held her breath as she waits for his answer. She asked herself what she’ll do once he said yes. Will she feel glad? Is she going to look forward to that day when he will say ‘I do’ for her? What if he said no? Will she be disappointed? Will she cry another river of tears the way she did last year? Her minds were bombarded with questions and never realized that Nick already said his decision. She asked him to repeat it again.

“I said, alright, I’ll marry you.”




** The Way You Look Tonight – Michael Bubblé
SEVEN by scarlett
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Shaira attended Howie's wedding, in which Nick was also there as one of his best men. He managed to ignore her but gave in when Lucas called him and requested him to dance with his granddaughter. Nick complied, which gave Shaira the chance to press him for an answer. While swaying on a romantic song and being back in each other's arms even in a short while, Shaira pondered on how she missed him and how her decision to give him up in favor for her grandfather made her lose Nick in her life. She realized that she regretted that decision but there's no way of turning back the time now. At the end of the dance, Nick gave her his decision.

He'll marry her.








CHAPTER 7






"As what you've wanted, my granddaughter and Nick agreed on the terms that we planned." Lucas said to the man on the screen. No one knew about his videoconference meeting with their big-time investor.



Errol Henstridge smiled contentedly. "I'll come down to New York next week to witness the wedding myself. I don't want to miss it. And afterwards, we'll sit down with our lawyers for the signing of the agreement."



"Thank you." Lucas leaned back to his high chair. "I'm looking forward to our new partnership."



"The possibilities are endless once we get it started." Errol said on the other end. There were palm trees swaying behind him and Lucas figured he's probably somewhere in a tropical island, probably in the Caribbean or at the Pacific area. Wherever he is, Lucas is glad that he'll be able to comply with what this investor wished. He needs him to remain the company in his possession. No one, even Kevin, knew the real situation of the family business. If he needs to make sacrifices, including the fact that he'll make his granddaughter marry some man, he'll do it.



The businessman at the other end of the videoconference knew how to play his cards, Lucas thought. He made sure that he owned a part of the Chrysler Company by making Nick as part of the family with an offer, which Lucas would found impossible to resist. He wondered before why Errol chose Nick but the man would never tell. Lucas didn't press for more although his idea was Nick is related to this man. He didn't mind. The important thing is that the company will be safe once the wedding is done. How ironic. The man he didn't like for Shaira is going to end up being part of the family anyway but he doesn't have any choice.



"Right now, I wanted to see Nick's wedding first." Errol said again.



With that, Lucas knew that Shaira doesn't have to know that she was being used to be part of the game…that she and Nick are only part of this game.





~~~





"One last question, Shaira. Are you sure about this?" Kristin asked her sister-in-law as she pulled her aside after she finished her pictorial wearing her wedding gown. She thought no bride can be as gorgeous as Shaira.



Shaira looked at her and smiled. "I hope that after this, I'm free from my grandfather." She quietly replied. The people inside the room started to leave them alone. "You know, I always see Nick as my salvation from him. I want grandpa to accept me but I don't want him controlling me."



"Oh, Shaira." Kristin hugged the younger woman. "If you ever need me, you know where to find me. I'm so scared for you now, honey. I know Nick is a good man and he didn't intend to do what he did in the past. It was all part of Romina's scheme to pull you apart."



"I know, she's the villain in the story." Shaira sighed. "Don't worry about me. I hope you and Kevin will finally have a baby soon. I've been waiting for the little kids in such a long time."



"Shaira," Kristin drew a deep breath, "You don't have to do this for us. We can make it on our own even without your grandfather's financial support."



"But Kevin will lose his job. He wanted it so bad. Don't worry," Shaira hugged her again. "And you know that there's always divorce."



"No." Kristin looked at her. "Don't tell me about that. Nick is a nice man and I know you still have feelings for him, deep down inside that heart. Try to work it out with him and when you can't really take it, that's when you need to let go." She watched as probably hundreds of thoughts filled Shaira's mind. Poor woman. She didn't deserve to have this kind of problems when she should be enjoying her life. She truly needs her own freedom. But most of all, she needs to feel loved more than anything else. Kristin sensed that Shaira is looking far more than she and Kevin are giving her.



"Nick has changed."



"Of course, he would be. I talked to him, by the way." Kristin arranged the lace on Shaira's neckline.



Shaira looked at her sister-in-law. "What about?"



"About you. Actually, Kevin and I talked to him. We told him to take care of you. And we're entrusting you to him now that you're about to get married. He took it nicely. We also advised him to take time in sorting out whatever problems you have and just what I've told you, try not to resort to divorce."



Shaira bit her lower lip. "I can do this." She drew a deep breath and kept on repeating it like a mantra. "I can do this. I can do this."



"Of course you can. You're a strong woman. And we're just here for you." Kristin said. They turned when the door opened and Kevin peeked inside. "Get ready, Shaira." He went to hug his sister. "I love you and I'll just be here for you."



"Is he there?"



"He's more nervous than he was on Howie's wedding. You should see your groom. Brian is giving him some pointers on one corner." Kevin smiled warmly to her. Her brother is a nice person and although he might've buried the hatchet about what Nick has done to her last year, Kevin is religiously fulfilling the role of a big brother. He is giving Nick another chance the way he gives himself the time and patience to accept that his younger sister is getting married to him. "Oh, Shaira. I wished things were different."



"But it isn't. Grandpa manipulated us all." She looked at the couple. She envied their love and she wished for the same thing for her but God must have some other plans other than having the feeling of that true love. "Thank you, Kev and Kris. You gave me strength to get through this. I don't know what to do without you." She started to cry.



"Oh no," Kristin hugged her.



"I feel helpless."



Kristin looked at her husband a they shushed Shaira. "We'll just be right here, Shaira. Nick knows that we're just right here." Kevin told his sister. Damn, if only things were different.
EIGHT by scarlett
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: We were introduced to Errol Henstridge, the investor of whom Lucas had a meeting with. He expressed his approval on Shaira's forthcoming wedding to Nick. Lucas wondered why this man especially wanted Nick to marry his granddaughter and his speculations was that Nick is probably related to this man. He doesn't care though, as long as his company will be saved.

On Shaira's wedding day, Kristin asked her once more if she's sure about this decision. She still insisted that Shaira may not marry Nick if she really doesn't want to and she doesn't have to do this just to save Kevin and Kristin from their financial situation. But Shaira remains firm and the couple can only give her advices on getting into a married life.






CHAPTER 8






Shaira sighed in relief when she reached the penthouse suite reserved for them to stay after the wedding. She was tired and she lazily dropped herself down on the soft couch. Resting her head against the headrest, she closed her eyes for a while. She heard the door clicked and she knew that Nick is already inside as well. She ignored him. She sensed his movements and remembered his routine after a tiring day. He'll go to the bathroom to wash his face, strips down up to his boxers, brush his teeth and drink two glasses of water.



It's been a long day. The wedding started by mid-afternoon but she's already awake early in the morning. She couldn't get enough sleep ever since Nick told her that he agreed on marrying her. Thoughts filled her mind and most of it was the fact that he only married her because he wanted to remain his slot in Kevin's latest marketing project. Back then, he used to tell her that he'll marry her for love. They have dreamt a lot for their future. That was when things were good between them. Shaira couldn't help but feel sorry and sad for herself.



The wedding was a blast. It may all come in a hurry but the wedding planner organized it so well and no one noticed that it was all for the convenience of both parties. The guests believed that they were so in love. Shaira almost thought so too until Romina asked her if she could borrow Nick for a dance. Romina blew out the momentum. She's just teasing them and never got the chance to dance with Nick but after that, it's been awkward between Nick and Shaira.



"There's something I need to say right now before I go to rest," she heard Nick said somewhere in the room.



"What is it?"



"Starting tomorrow, you're going to stay at my apartment." Nick replied. "You're living with me." Shaira opened her eyes and saw Nick standing in front of her, his arms across his chest. "And you're not going to work at the hotel anymore."



Shaira's jaw dropped. Freedom, her mind quickly rejoiced. Nick gave her the opportunity for freedom when she took his own away by marrying her. She felt guilty. She blackmailed him to marry her and now, he's doing this to her. She hates the thought that she's starting to be like her grandfather, selfish and cruel. "What am I going to do then? I need to work too." She said instead.



Nick shakes his head. "Of course, you need to work but not for your grandfather's. You're going to look for a job in some other place. I don't want you working with him anymore. We don't want him interfering with us again. This is his last chance. So tomorrow, you will go home with me. I got a flight to Sydney in the afternoon." He started walking towards one of the rooms. She watched as the door firmly shut behind him.



When he's gone, she went towards her own room and locked the door. And she slowly sat down on the bed and hugged her pillows. Freedom! Nick gave her the chance to be pulled out from her grandfather's control. That is just wonderful! But can he forgive her once he learns the truth of what she did to him?





~~~





Shaira heard Nick coming to the kitchen and his steps stopped when he saw her. "What are you doing?" He asked. She glanced at him and saw his unruly hair and his sleepy eyes.



"I'm making breakfast. We have to eat before we go home." Shaira replied, avoiding his look. She still feels guilty over lying to him and using him for her own cause. She paused when she realized what she just said. Nick stared at her too. Home, it has a nice ring to it. "Uh, I mean, we need to eat. Right?" She turned back to setting down the food on the table while biting her lower lip. Nick sat on the chair and began filling his plate with his breakfast.



"Tell Dan that you're no longer be reporting on duty. I knew someone who owns a restaurant and whom I could refer you to." Nick started.



"Okay." Shaira only said as she sits down as well. "Oh, by the way, you only have one room in your apartment."



"Then you're going to share the bed with me." Nick replied in a matter-of-fact tone. "Anyway, I'll be away most of the time. When I get back, let's settle for the proper sleeping arrangements." He drinks his coffee.



"Okay," Shaira only said again.



Nick looked at her. "You're in a good mood today, huh? Getting happy with the idea of married to me?"



Yes but I'm guilty , Shaira wanted to answer but instead she said, "I'm stuck with you. Do you think I like the idea? I just wanted to see things in a different perspective because I don't have any choice anyway." With that reply, she received a frown from Nick.





~~~



Kristin saw her husband grinning from ear to ear. "What's that smile all about, huh?" She approached him with a kiss.



Kevin kissed her long and hard before forcing himself to pull away. "Nick told Shaira to quit her job at the hotel and they're going to live together in his apartment."



"Quit the job? What is Shaira going to do now?"



"She'll find another place to work. At least, she doesn't have to work for grandpa now. Nick is starting to get her out from his control. Isn't it great? Grandpa still doesn't know about this but he can do nothing when Nick decided on it. Nick won't get back on his word, I just knew him." Kevin hugged his wife. "I hope that he'll really take care of Shaira."



Kristin stared at her husband. She knew that Nick will. She can still remember the way Nick looked at his bride on their wedding day. There was a look of love on that. Nick still loves Shaira, even if he didn't tell anything about it. He still cares for her. He will stay on his word and will take care of Shaira. "But Kevin, don't you feel guilty that you blackmailed Nick just to marry your sister? He gave you a huge amount of favor when he married Shaira and he is doing this in return. Although we hope that somehow he still feels something for her, it's not fair that you did this to him."



"Kris…" Kevin bit his lower lip. "I know. I feel guilty at that but can we do anything about it now?"



"No, there's nothing to do about it." Kristin said. "I'm just thinking what Nick would do once he learned about your plans to get him. He won't like it, for sure. He may have still loved Shaira but I don't want to think of any thing worst that can happen now. Those two had enough and they deserved peace and happiness."
NINE by scarlett
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Nick and Shaira get married. After the wedding, Nick told his wife that she will be quitting her job at her grandfather's hotel. He's starting to take Shaira away from her grandfather's control which is good news for Shaira. However, something troubled Shaira's mind when she remembered what she did just to make Nick fell into this marriage of convenience. Can he forgive her when he finds out the truth?






CHAPTER 9






"Are you sure that you're coming with me?"



Shaira looked up when Nick entered the bedroom and saw her packing up clothes in her luggage bag. She quit her job earlier and when she gets back, she decided to come along with Nick on his trip to Sydney. "Yes. I've never been that away in such a long time and since I just quit my job and currently unemployed, I might as well take a vacation off." She turned back to packing.



Nick sat beside her on the floor. "Oh, like a honeymoon for both of us?"



Shaira raised an eyebrow. "Like as if we're really that married." She saw the teasing grin on his face. She rolled her eyes. "No, Nick. It's not part of the agreement. Stop being horny."



"Why?" Nick continued to tease. "It wasn't like we didn't do it before. Besides, I have every marital right because I'm your husband." He leaned closer and kissed her ear, his tongue traced her lobe sending her shivers. "And would you blame me if I thought I get lucky to get married to the gorgeous granddaughter of Lucas Chrysler? It's not my fault to get horny, baby."



"Gorgeous? Romina is more gorgeous than I am." Shaira pushed him away but Nick only smiled at her. His arms went around her. She remembered the times when he's like this, trying to seduce her to make love to him. He'd tickle her, kiss her all over the place and just hug her. He's doing it right now.



"She's not, you are." Nick placed a kiss on her neck.



Oh God. He knows how to get her. "Nick! Stay away, please." Shaira turned to him but found her mistake. Nick met her lips and successfully gained entry into her mouth. She moaned at the familiar sensations as she returned the kiss with intense fervor.



"You can't resist me, Shaira." Nick whispered as he hastily pulled off her tank top and his mouth caught her breasts. He picked her up from the floor and laid her down on his bed. He gently kissed her forehead and returned to kissing her lips once again. Shaira moaned as she surrendered herself to him. There's no use fighting back when she want it anyway.



~~~



Shaira stared through the window of the airplane as Nick dozed off beside her. She was lucky to manage a seat on the plane since she doesn't have booked tickets for the flight. It wasn't the peak season and she easily got tickets to come along with Nick. Her husband, on the other hand, is sleeping soundly beside her. Nick never liked flying but it forces him to because of the demands with his work. He's probably going to Sydney to cover another place for his travel column in the magazine.



They had sex four hours ago, or she can rather call it more likely as made love. Shaira never expected Nick to be gentle. He made love to her like it was their first time. She saw the tenderness in the way he kissed every inch of her body and made them both scream in utmost pleasure. It's amazing. Nick always had this power to bring her to the peak of her emotions with him.



But it was also sad when after the deed and they lay against each other for a while, Nick left the bedroom without any word. He didn't talk to her ever since. It seemed as if he only made a point that he's just horny and needed a release and she's the nearest one available.



She looked down at her finger. Her simple wedding band means so much to her than just a symbol of convenience. If only Nick feels the same way…



Tears fell down her face. She's slowly freeing herself from her grandfather and she's happy for that. But she cannot be any happier because of the feeling of sadness overwhelming her because of Nick. She still loves him but he never felt the same way about her now. She wipes her tears before Nick would see it. She sighed. What should she do to have that love back? Or should she stop wishing for it at all?





~~~





"They flew off to Sydney tonight, sir." The man said on the phone. "Nickolas is going to cover an article for the Great Barrier Reefs and then he'll go back to start with another project with the Chrysler Company."



The person he's speaking to frowned on the other line. "He doesn't need to work at all. You need to do what I told you to do."



"At Sydney, sir? I'll get my contacts to execute the plan right away. But what about the woman?"



"Leave her alone."
TEN by scarlett
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Shaira decided to go with Nick to Australia for his work, after she quit her job. Perhaps she had nothing to do, that's why she made such decision. While packing her things, Nick tried seducing her and they ended up in the bed together. Later, someone is planning something to the couple.







CHAPTER 10






Shaira turned when she heard Nick coughing consistently. She saw him walking towards the bathroom, sniffling and then sneezing. They didn't talk much to each other since they arrived in Sydney. Nick went to maritime museum to cover an article about the special relationships that Australians have with the sea and with boats of all kinds. Shaira didn't go with him. When he returned this afternoon, he was all soaked up from the mild shower outside. And now, he's coughing and sneezing like he's coming down to flu.



Shaira decided to approach him. "I'm going to prepare you some honey with lime. It'll make you feel better." She said.



"I'm fine." Nick stubbornly replied but Shaira ignored it. She went to out to go to a nearby convenience store near the hotel to find what she needs. Half an hour later, she found Nick already asleep on the bed. She quietly sits beside his sleeping form and softly nudges him.



Nick opened his eyes. "Believe me, you have to drink this. I also bought some medicines which you can take later after dinner." Shaira told him. Nick didn't say anything but only drinks the honey with lime. When he's done, he muttered his thanks and went back to lie back on the bed again. Shaira wanted to stay a little longer to watch over him, wanting to take care of him. But she decided then to stand up and leave him alone.



Over an hour later, she ordered room service. As the food arrived, she prepared the one for Nick. She decided to feed him. While she was busy on it, she heard a loud groan coming from Nick's room. She immediately went to him and found he got a high fever. "Nick…" She bit her lower lip as she gets a clean small towel in the bathroom and soaked it in slightly hot water coming from the faucet.



"You don't have to do this, Shaira." Nick weakly said as she wipes his face and neck with the towel and then placed it on his forehead. "I can manage on my own."



"I'm your wife now, Nick." And I want to take care of you, she silently added.



"I'm not obliging you to do this." Nick closed his eyes. Shaira decided to take off his shirt because he's already full of sweat. Nick didn't argue anymore as she wipes him dry with another towel and changed him into a clean and dry shirt. When she's done, she fed him food and had him take his medicines. Nick's fever gets high and he's too weak to even move about. Shaira thoughtfully tucked him under the covers and sits beside him. "Stay with me, please…" Nick tried to say. He coughed again.



"Next time, don't come out in the rain. You know how easy you could get sick when you got drenched by the rain." Shaira said as she softly ran her hands on his forehead and through his hair. Her husband only nodded, his eyes were closed. He nuzzled closer to her body for warmth and sooner then, he fell asleep. Knowing that he's already sleeping, Shaira takes the moment to bent down and kiss Nick on the forehead. Oh, God, she really loves this man. She moved herself to lie beside him and cradled him in her arms where he could sleep further.



~~~



Nick woke up, feeling lighter than he was last night. He sighed. He drew himself closer to the covers and found himself lying in Shaira's arms. He smiled. Shaira took care of him last night even though he tried to be stubborn about it. And here she is, sleeping very soundly while her arms were around him.



He takes a look at his beautiful wife for a moment. He missed Shaira and their times together. He missed moments like this when she'd stay to take care of him. Most of all, he missed her love.







~~~





Shaira tucked a hair strand behind her ear as she walked alongside with Nick down the street. After two days since he got sick, Nick told her to get ready for dinner. His fever was gone and he's ready to continue with his work. But now, he invited her out for a dinner. They just walked down the street and she wondered where he is taking her. He seemed to know the place though. He reached out for her hand and held it tight.



"We're almost there." Nick said. He gripped her hand tighter as they crossed the street, making sure that she's on the safe side. Shaira saw a posh restaurant ahead and glanced at Nick. His look is way ahead and sure of what he is doing. "The last time I was here was when right after we broke up." He told her.



"And?"



"I was so down and out that I tried almost every place to eat and this is the best one I had so far." Nick stopped in front of a dining place, just beside the posh restaurant. It appears to be serving Italian food, which is Shaira's favorite. The place doesn't look like they were serving expensive dishes like those at the posh restaurant beside it. Shaira wasn't surprised. Having limited resources, Nick never spent a lot in dining when he can find am alternative place to eat in a cheaper price.



"Oh…" Her heart skipped a beat. Maybe, there was hope between them at all, or maybe none at all. She should stop expecting for something. She followed him as they went inside. They sat on a corner table where a waiter immediately approached them to take their orders. Nick recited out Shaira's favorite pasta recipes for both of them and the waiter went off when he's done. "I can't believe this. You still knew my favorite food." She told him.



"Never forget it..." Nick leaned back on his chair and stared at her. "You know, I've been thinking. Let's give this marriage a chance."



"What makes you say that?"



Nick shrugged. "You told me about the investor who wanted to marry you but Kevin told him that you're already married although you're not. And the reason for this marriage is to appear that you're really married, which is you really are now." Nick sighed. "Shaira, we just can't be in this arrangement on a temporary basis because this is not a game either. So what I've been trying to say is that we have to make this work out. And I also wanted to have kids."



"Are you sure?" Gosh, her guilt grows more. Nick is serious of what he has gotten into now.



"Yes." Nick never takes off his look on her. "How about you? When I said yes to this, I'm sure that I know what I'm going into. What about you?"



"This is really not a game." Shaira agreed. "But honestly, I can't continue living like this when things are not settled between us. We made a lot of mistakes and I don't know where to start making up for those, Nick."



"Romina came into my hotel room that night when I was too drunk to even realize what was going on, Shaira." Nick quietly said so that only the two of them can hear. "I just had a few drinks and I don't know why I got drunk that much. Somebody must have drugged me or something. I was looking for you and I saw you dancing with Romina's boyfriend, which got me really mad. I tried to come over but there were these big men who blocked my way. I knew I passed out by then because the next thing I remember was seeing Romina sleeping beside me in the room and you're standing by the door." Nick said. "I tried to put the puzzle together and realize that it must have been all part of a plan. I'm so sorry, Shaira."



Shaira blinked many times to keep the tears from falling. "Romina's boyfriend is the one who pulled me to the dance floor. I was looking for you too but he won't let me go. He was running his hands all over me and I really wanted to go. But the club was so full of people, I can't get through easily and I was dazed too. My mind is spinning. I tried to force myself to go away but when I did, I found you gone from where I left you." She sniffed.



"I felt really betrayed when I saw my cousin and my boyfriend on the same bed." She continued. "I couldn't accept any reason from you although I know that it's not really your fault and Romina just did all of these to stir me up. She did everything to make me miserable. She did everything to ruin me, even my relationship with you. And at that time, grandpa wouldn't approve of you being my boyfriend and I wanted so much as to gain his affection. I chose him over you."



Nick went to sit beside her and pulled her close to him. "It hurts when you can't even fight for both of us but I understand, Shaira. But I was really mad by what you did."



"I'm sorry, Nick." She buried her head on his shoulders.



"It's all in the past. God knows how I missed you so much, Shaira. I'm sorry, too." Nick bents down to kiss her lips. "We're now married and that's all that matters. I won't let your grandfather get his way between us again." He added as they sat in silence, against each other's arms for a while. "You're not going to work in his company and I'm going to take you away from him. I'll take care of you and you will be free to do whatever you want, away from his control. I love you, Shaira. You are mine and no one is going to harm you or take you away from me."



Nick wiped her tears and kissed her fully on the lips. "I love you, too, Nick. Let's start something new." Shaira said as she was wrapped in his embrace. They went silent for a while again, savoring the feeling of being back to each other's arms.



"We will. I promise, Shaira."



"Let's forget the past."



"We will." Nick said. Shaira was about to tell the truth about blackmailing him to make him agree into marrying her but the waiter arrived with their food.



"Excuse me, lovebirds. Here comes your food." The waiter winked at them as he sets out their orders.



Nick smiled down at her. "I told you, you'll like this place. Now, let's celebrate."
ELEVEN by scarlett
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Nick and Shaira talked about their relationship and finally settled their differences. What will happen after this?





CHAPTER 11








"Did you know what I've been thinking?" Nick asked as Shaira nuzzled against his neck. They were sitting closely together as the boat they were riding sped its way towards the Great Barrier Reef for Nick's job. The beautiful scenery of the ocean calms them and they found time to cuddle against each other before Nick starts his work.



"What?" Shaira sleepily asked. After their dinner on the previous night, they went back to the hotel and made love until they were very much sated. They woke up very early today for the long hour travel and the trip to the reef.



"I want to settle down in a place near the ocean. I want to put up a big house and a nice beach backyard where our children can go and play." Nick whispered to her ear. "Now that we're married, I'm going to save some money and make something out of that plans." He smiled down at her.



"Sounds good to me, Nick." Shaira return the smile. Nick pulled her closer to him. A few moments later, one of the crew, who called himself Oliver, approached them. He glanced at Shaira with a smile. She doesn't like that smile and unfortunately, Nick didn't see it. It seems as if he's stripping her naked with his look. She turned away immediately.



"We're approaching the diving area, sir." Oliver said. "Get ready with the suits."



"Thanks." Nick smiled and turned to leave Shaira as he went to his colleague who came along with them. Shaira gets herself ready with her wet suit as well because she's coming along with Nick under the water. Minutes later, the boat stopped and Oliver announced their arrival. Jillian, an expert diver in the team, reviewed some important instructions to them. Nick listened as he readies his underwater camera. Shaira saw how dedicated her husband to his field, just like her passion to her cooking. When the overview of the project and the briefing were done, Nick bents down to kiss Shaira on the lips. "I love you always, baby."



"I love you, too."



"Come on," Nick winked at her before he wears his diving mask. He assisted her in going in to the water with him. Shaira felt him letting go of her as he swam lower towards the reefs. She swims down after him. She began to marvel the beauty of the coral reefs and the attractive scenery of different kinds of fishes. She saw Nick swim in front of her and saw the smile beneath the mask. She thanked God for the turnout of events. She found another reason to appreciate life now that she has Nick again. She found another reason to look forward to, of the things she wanted to do with Nick. She now shared her life with him and to the family they are planning to build together.



Suddenly, she felt as if the water pushed her hard. She saw the school of fish scrambled everywhere. Her heart beats faster for no apparent reason. She paused and looked around. Something happened underwater. She didn't saw Nick or even his companion who assists him in taking photographs. Nick? She started to swim but there were arms that stopped her and her mask was suddenly moved out of place.





~~~





She could feel her head ached so badly, she groaned. She opened her eyes as she choked out some seawater from her mouth. Jillian was there and worry crossed her face. "Where's Nick? Where's Nick?" She sat up and looked around. She recognized the crew but only quite a few of them were there. The other divers, including Oliver, were not there too. "Where?" Tears fell down as emptiness filled her. "Where's my husband?"



"The other divers were still looking for him and Oliver, Shaira. They just disappeared and we couldn't find them."



"What happened?" She leaned over to the side of the boat as if she could see Nick right through the water.



"There was a minor earthquake, Shaira. The current had us out of control and I saw you swimming nearby so I grabbed you to safety. We did a head count and Nick and Oliver weren't here. I'm sorry, Shaira." Jillian is now ready again with his diving suits. "I'll follow shortly to look for your husband. Stay here at the boat and Hans will look after you."



Shaira shakes her head. "No, I'm coming with you." She stood up. "I'm not just going to wait here and wait for my husband to pop up."



"But Shaira…" Hans tried to stop her but she pulled away from him.



"I'm going to look for Nick, even if I die there." Shaira firmly said and jumped off the boat when she got her equipment ready. The coldness of the sea welcomed her as she swims below. There's no sign of her husband and she grew more desperate. She swam further. She saw Jillian's suit swimming nearby, obviously looking after her at the same time that he's looking for Nick and Oliver.



It must have been a looking time that she's looking for Nick but he's still nowhere in sight. She even met the other divers who were also looking out for them. Knowing that he's still missing, Shaira felt herself grew weak. Jillian, who's been looking after her, swam towards her and decided to pull her back up and in to the boat. Shaira didn't resist this time. Her face was in tears as soon as she removed the mask. She slowly sits down on the steel floor and cried. "Nick…"



~~~





Kevin and Kristin walked hand in hand as they hurried down the hall towards the room where Shaira is staying at the hotel. They heard the news of what happened and immediately flew to Sydney to see Shaira. After three days of search, Nick and a companion is still nowhere to be found. Shaira refused to go home unless she had Nick with her.



The hotel's general manager ushered them to Shaira's room and opened the door for them. They didn't saw anyone inside and began to wonder where Shaira is. "Shaira…" Kevin called and walked around the suite. Kristin and the manager followed behind him. "Shaira!" They saw her sitting on a corner in the bathroom, her head buried deep on a bunch of towels.



"Shaira, we are here." Kristin cried as she went to hug her sister-in-law.



Shaira looked up, showing them her tear-stricken face. "Have you found him?"



"We're trying our best." Kevin said and turned to the manager. "Thank you, Ms. Kendall, for your caring assistance. We really appreciate it." He shook hands with her.



"I pray that your sister's husband will soon be found. If you need any more help, kindly call any of our staff and they are going to be of service. Excuse me, Sir." Ms. Kendall politely left the room.



Shaira is crying on Kristin's shoulders. "Have you found him?" she kept on asking them. "Where's Nick?"



Kevin knelt down beside his wife and his sister. "Shay, this is Kevin. We haven't found them yet but we're looking for him. You have to go back to New York now where you can wait."



"I won't leave until Nick is found, okay? Even if it takes weeks or months, I'll never leave. I'll go back to the reefs to find my husband." Shaira insisted. "He just can't be gone. He's a strong man. We just made amends and agreed to start anew. We have plans of starting our family together, Kevin. He just can't be gone." Shaira cried. Kristin looked helplessly to her husband. Their little sister is on her way of breaking down into pieces in search for her missing husband. Where's Nick? What happened to him?
TWELVE by scarlett
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Just when things are going to be smooth between Nick and Shaira, an accident occurred and Nick is now missing. Where could he be? What happened to him? How will Shaira going to take this?





CHAPTER 12




Frances followed Kristin as they reached the floor where Shaira is staying at. It's been almost two months and still, Nick hasn't been found. The rescue team ended their search and he was declared dead but Shaira won't accept it.



Kristin decided to stay in Sydney to look after her sister-in-law while Kevin goes back and forth from New York in between his job and his family. Kristin is already on her second month of pregnancy and it wasn't good for her to be stressed out as well. The couple decided to contact Frances, Shaira's best friend who lives in California, for a period of time to help watch over her friend. Without hesitation, Frances flew in to Sydney.



They saw two men stopping in front of Shaira's door and just about to knock. "Who are you?" Kristin demanded. They are now more than worried about Shaira's condition and they don't want further complications that might lead to the worst-case scenario.



"I'm Corey, Nick's boss in the magazine. And this is Brian, his best friend. We flew in to see Shaira." The man who called himself Corey said. He shook hands with them. He gave Kristin his calling card when he saw the hesitation on the woman's face.



The other man, the blonde one, whose name is Brian, introduced himself to the two women as well. "It took us along time to find her because her location was kept confidential. We understand but we also wanted to help finding Nick. I don't believe that he could be dead. Nick is a survivor."



Kristin read the business card, looked at the two then admitted them inside the room. "I'm Kristin, her sister-in-law, and this is Frances, her best friend. Before I take you to her, please refrain from saying anything worst about the accident. The doctors gave us a warning that this might result to a serious nervous breakdown any moment from now. We can't leave her alone so I asked a friend to look after her while I'm gone for a while because she already has a suicidal tendency."



Frances gasped. "Oh my God. That bad?"



Kristin nodded. "She told us that before they went to the reefs, she and Nick talked about their past and patched things up. Obviously, the two got back together and settled their differences and their marriage was about to get strong. So you can just imagine how hard this is for Shaira." Her voice quivered and gets her handkerchief to wipe her tears. "This is really hard for all of us."



Frances hugged her. "I want to see my friend."



Kristin nodded and muttered her thanks to them. She led the way towards the next room of the suite and found Shaira quietly sleeping on the couch. Her friend, a nurse in a nearby hospital, greeted them. "This is Pia, my friend nurse. How is she?"



"I have to sedate her earlier, Kris, because she's gone out of control again." Pia said after introductions were made.



Frances walked over Shaira and saw that she's clutching tightly on Nick's photograph. "She loves Nick very much. This is really sad."



"Does the other missing man with him was already found?" Corey asked Kristin.



She shakes her head. "Oliver Chambers was still missing as well." She watched as Brian weakly sits on a chair, clasping his head between his hands. Corey sighed as his face was full of worry. Frances, on the other hand, is softly running her hand on her friend's long brown hair.



They looked at each other for a while. The tragedy devastated all of them, but most of all, it shattered Shaira's hopes of a new beginning. She couldn't find her husband and it's making her crazy not knowing what has happened to Nick.





~~~





Kevin was left behind after a meeting with a new photographer they took in exchange for Nick. Since he's gone missing, they have to find another one because, as much as they would want to wait for Nick, the project cannot afford any delay. It is distressing to have him gone and not knowing where he is, if he is still alive or not anymore. Kevin wished for the former, for Shaira's sake. His sister is now difficult to talk with. She's quiet and crying most of the time, and he often caught her talking to herself whenever he dropped by for a visit.



"Any news?"



Kevin looked up and saw that Marc returned. He closed the door behind him and sits on a chair near his cousin's. Kevin shakes his head. "Shaira is losing her mind, Marc." His voice trembled as he replies. "It hurts me to see her like that."



"Did you try consulting her to a psychiatrist?"



Kevin nodded. "Losing Nick was like losing a part of her life, Marc. She loved Nick that much."



Marc stared at his cousin. "And Shaira's life is part of ours, too, Kev. It devastates me to hear her being like this." His jaws clenched. "If only grandpa didn't interfere on them before, Shaira must have had experienced more days being happy with Nick. She deserves more than much."



"Or maybe it was willed to happen this way." Kevin quietly said. "I want to take her home but she wanted to remain in Sydney until Nick is back. So, Kristin and I decided to look out for a house to stay because she can't live in a hotel room forever. She's going to live with Shaira. The doctors advised her not to stress out much because her pregnancy is in danger. We can't afford the risk too, Marc. We both longed for that baby."



"I'd like to help. I know a friend who can offer you a nice house to stay." Marc offered. "I'll give him a call and probably before this week ends, Kristin and Shaira can move there."



"Thanks, Marc. I appreciate your help." Kevin was touched. Marc is always the good cousin.



"Hey, we're cousins. We're family." Marc smiled.
THIRTEEN by scarlett
(A/N Note: The situation occurred as well to my sister's colleague in the Navy when they had underwater exams last year. The lady was drowned and they revived her back to life. But after that, she was in coma for a while and when she woke up, she couldn't remember anything - even her own parents. Through the course of time, she slowly remembered her family and her earlier past but she still couldn't remember what happened in the present and how did she get into the government service. My sister who's now a drill instructor in the service relayed what happened to me thus, inspiring me to write what could happen if I write it in a Nick fan fiction....Hmmm...)

FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Shaira is losing her mind, thinking about losing Nick in such a fateful accident. Everyone was worried, even Corey, Nick's boss, and Brian, his best friend, who found their way to locate Shaira and check on her condition. Nick was declared dead after two months when he was still missing. No one could really tell what happened to him as there was no body found, or any other reports. Worried of his sister, Kevin already consulted a psychiatrist for Shaira's condition and it was becoming worst. Shaira refused to go back home to New York and so, Marc offered his help for a place where she and Kristin can settle for a while.





CHAPTER 13




Shaira stood at the balcony of the hotel where she is practically living right now. She wipes her tears as she thinks about Nick. Life for them was always hard and maybe, God really willed this thing to happen. It might just be the best thing for both of them.



Everyone thinks she's losing her mind. She can, if she willed it to be. Losing Nick is losing a part of her but she won't stay sulking forever. The world won't stop turning and so should she. It was hard to think of not having Nick in her life now but she has to move on.



She's going back to New York and to continue living, even if it takes a lot of willpower to do it.





~~~


the twins




He watched the flock of birds flew in the nearby horizon as the sun sets in the west. The place is peaceful but he doesn't feel any more peace. His mind is in chaos. There's something that bothers him but he didn't know what. He glanced down at his legs and he tried to stand up but he still feels weak. He groaned in frustration. He had been on an accident at sea, which almost caused him his life. He got drowned and he was only resuscitated back to life. The doctors deemed him fine but no one was able to talk with him because of his shock. He couldn't utter a word for a while and he suffered a selective memory loss, something that made him forget what happened in the present. He couldn't recall what he was doing at the sea in the first place. He only had the memory of his past, the one when he was still way too young. Aside from that, he wasn't able to move his body for almost two weeks. It's a good thing that there was no damage in his spinal cord and only had to undergo minor therapy to move with at ease again. After more than two moths, Nick was able to pronounce a few words slowly and he can move his body but still, his memory remains vague.



"The therapist said that it'll take you a little while before you can finally manage to stand up on your own without getting wobbly," a man behind him said. He looked around and saw his brother, his fraternal twin. There were only a few certain features that links their identity as twins but other than that, they almost didn't looked alike anymore. His fraternal twin has short black hair, brown eyes and chiseled jaws while he is blonde, has blue eyes and heart-shaped face.



"I…I want to stand up and w-walk around." He stammered. "I-I don't want t-to look like… some s-sleazebag here, ordering p-people around to get what I…I want."



"Get used to it. You deserved the special treatment. Anyway, you lived alone all your life. Now that I found you, we're back as a family." The man said.



"I… I can't remember anything, e-except that I… I used to live a-alone since Dad and M-mom died." The blonde one sighed. "I c-can't remember anything… after that." He looked at his hands, feeling as if some thing is missing there.



"You'll get by, in the right time." The black-haired one said. "Meanwhile, I came here to tell you that we'll go back to LA tomorrow. Your fiancée is waiting for you."



He looked at his twin. "I'm engaged?"



His brother smiled and nodded. "You are so in love with Daphne, I'm green with envy. Since my fiancée died years ago, I wasn't able to find a woman just like my Lyra."



He smiled at the thought of having a woman to love. He imagined Daphne's face with her brown eyes, her luscious red lips smiling widely to him, her long brown hair and her soft body melded to his. She would cook for him with every food he wanted and they would go on picnics at a nearby park and doze off against each other's arms under the sun. Yes, he loves Daphne. It's a good thing that he still remembers something about her. "I…I want t-to see Daphne, Errol."



Errol smiled. "Sure thing, Nick. We'll leave Australia tomorrow."
FOURTEEN by scarlett
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Everyone thought that Shaira is going to lose her mind over the tragedy that she had, where Nick is still missing. She decided to go back to New York to start her life again even though it hurts and it's going to be a struggle to live knowing that Nick isn't around anymore.

Meanwhile, Errol Henstridge, the businessman in Shaira's grandfather's company, is taking care of a man he found as his twin brother - in which coincidentally he saved from an accident at sea, and named as Nick. How are they going to play a part in the story?




CHAPTER 14






Nick looked out at the crowd when he and Errol arrived at the airport. His brother told him that Daphne is coming to pick them up. He instinctively looked out for a brown-haired woman. There are so many of them but no one matched the one he had in his mind.



"D-did she call…you that s-she's already h-here?" He asked Errol.



Errol nodded. He scanned the crowd and waved to someone. "She's here." He said as he pushed Nick's wheelchair towards a woman – with long blonde hair. Nick glanced at Errol, giving him a confused look. He knows what Daphne looks like and this woman is certainly not Daphne. The one he could remember has long brown hair, a dazzling wide smile and a beautiful face. This one is certainly beautiful but not that appealing to him. He is not his Daphne but he won't delve on the details right now. He is tired and he wanted to rest.



"Hi, Nick." The woman greeted and leaned down to kiss Nick on the lips. He politely responded but only for a while. "It's Daphne." Nick gave her a wondering look and so, she turned to Errol in question.



"I already told you his condition, Daphne. It's possible that he doesn't remember you."



Daphne turned to her. "I'll make you remember, Nick. Right now, we have to get you home." She takes the wheelchair from Errol and pushed it outside and towards the parking lot. "I was so worried of what has happened to you, Nick. I couldn't imagine or even think that I'm going to lose you."



Nick just listened although still confused. His mind is still screaming that this woman behind him is not his Daphne. He can never mistake the woman with the brown tresses and wonderful smile in his mind.



"Are you okay, Nick?" Errol asked him. "You seemed quiet."



"T-there's nothing t-to say. I…I just want t-to go h-home." A lump formed in his throat as he said that. Home. He somehow remembered telling Daphne that he wanted to build their home near the ocean. His head ached. Ouch…why can't he remember anything in the present? Who is the woman with the brown hair?



~~~





Shaira rolled her eyes. She felt the stares of the people around her. She turned to Kevin and Kristin, Frances and the two men – Brian and Corey, Nick's friends. "I'm not insane, alright. Maybe, I just need the time to mourn for my loss. You knew how hard it was for me. But I'm alright now. Going back here in New York will give me the chance to start again. As hard as it would seem to be, I'll try to live the way I used to be even though Nick's gone." She blinked back the tears that threatened to fall again.



"We're sorry, Shay," Kevin said. He glanced at the others then back to his sister. "We're glad that you're back. And always remember that we're here for you."



"We felt your loss, too, and you're right that we have to move on." Brian said, although in his mind, he knew that Nick was never gone. He is still in denial over what fate has brought to his best friend.



"Shaira, I was wondering…" Frances stood up and sat beside her best friend, "maybe you can come with me to LA. You can live there with me." Shaira looked at her. "It's just a suggestion. Anyway, I think I'll need some help with my boutique. I just broke up with my boyfriend and I need you, too."



"Maybe you need a new environment, Shaira. I agree with Frances' suggestion." Kristin said.



Shaira can feel their concern and she's grateful that they were there for her. That's a good suggestion from Frances and Kristin is right. She needs to be in a place where she could feel less of Nick and the painful memories of loss. Actually, being back in New York is suffocating. The busy buzz of the city and the memories itself. If she'll stay longer here, she might really go insane.
FIFTEEN by scarlett
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Although confused at the woman that Errol introduced as Daphne, Nick didn't say anything about it. His mind is thinking about a woman with the brown hair and he's certain that that is Daphne.
Meanwhile, SHaira decided to be in a new environment whereas she will go to California to stay with her best friend, Frances.




CHAPTER 15






Nick followed Daphne's movements with a look, trying to think of anything to remember about her but he really had no idea. He watched as Daphne talked with Errol like they really knew each other very well. She would laugh to anything Errol would say and vice versa.



"They were childhood friends," Mrs. Bette said, interrupting Nick's thoughts. Mrs. Bette is the chief housekeeper and from what Errol had said, has been in the family for a long time.



From the balcony where they are, they saw Errol and Daphne talking in a gazebo. "I-I thought s-so, too." Nick quietly replied. He cringed when he felt his aching head again.



"Are you alright?" The elder woman placed a glass of juice on the side table. "Where does it hurt? Don't you really remember anything?"



"I…I'm fine, just a-another shot of…headache. I-I usually f-feel this…and I-I'm used t-to it. A-all I want now is t-to get back my…memory. I-I can f-feel…that something is n-not…right." Nick slowly replied. He thanked Mrs. Bette for the juice. "D-did you know a-any woman with…brown hair…I w-was with before the a-accident?"



Mrs. Bette shakes her head. "Maybe you should ask your twin about it. Do you recall any one with that description?"



Nick looked at the housekeeper, then to where Errol and Daphne are. "Yes."



They grew silent for a long while before Mrs. Bette turned towards where the gazebo is. And then quietly, she excused herself from him. Nick didn't say anything as the housekeeper discreetly walks away. She didn't say anything to him but he figured that she had something she couldn't say to Nick. There's something wrong in this picture and he couldn't fathom what. He needs to be observant. It seems like his twin brother is hiding something from him.





~~~





"Probably by next week, I can start briefing you on the proceedings of the company." Errol announced to his brother when they were alone in his office after an early dinner. Nick stopped reading a magazine and looked at his twin.



"B-briefing? W-what is it…all a-about?"



Errol smiled at his twin. "Nick, I've looked for you in a long time and now that you're here, I had plans of sharing my blessings with you. You'll be part of the company I owned, we'll be managing partners. I'll teach you and make you familiar with it. You'll never live the way you used to be." Nick watched as Errol pulled the drawer in his desk and took a picture from it. He showed it to him and Nick was surprised to see who it was. It's the woman he thought of as Daphne.



"W-who is she?"



"Her name is Shaira Richardson. She's the granddaughter of the man who ruined my grandfather's company before, Lucas Richardson. He had once taken over the management of grandpa's company, bringing it down to give way to his own plans of opening up his own business. When it went bankrupt in 1972, Lucas left it with nothing but debts and took away some money from it too. He also began his hotel business which boomed in the late 70s. Grandpa's family, who's gone impoverished for a long period of time, faced court battles and numerous debts. Lucas got away with it. He was never accused of anything as there were no evidences found to blame him for what happened." Errol's jaw clenched. "Now that the company was back on its track, I intend to take Lucas' company down. That woman is the key to his downfall."



"W-what does…she has t-to do w-with…her grandfather's s-sin?"



"You can't remember, Nick, but I'll refresh your mind. Shaira was head over heels in love with you and she tried seducing you once, ruining your first engagement with Daphne. You were so mad at her that you gave in to her seductions and married her. It only lasted for a while but when you left her, you made sure that you had the majority rights over her grandfather's company. You didn't walk away with nothing. She was so mad that she kidnapped you and took you to Sydney and that's where the accident at the boat happened. They thought you're gone but of course, as smart as you are, your rights have been transferred to me as your only living relative left." Errol chuckled.



"S-she tried to r-ruin my engagement w-with Daphne? H-how could she be so…desperate?" Nick frowned. "S-she's a b-beautiful woman. She can h-have any…one she w-wants."



"Yes, she is. You were not immune to that charm but you knew better, Nick. She's manipulative and cruel just like her grandfather. The innocence on her face is just a mask to what a bitch she really is."



Nick shakes his head. "I'd like to see…t-the expression on her face w-when she learns t-that I'm alive." He looks at the picture again. "It's g-going to be one hell of a p-payback." Nick looked at his twin with a grin. So this is why that woman's face is filling up his mind. She has a lot to do with what happened to him now. It was hard for him to be on therapy everyday and not be able to speak for a period of time. It was all Shaira's fault. She almost ruined his life. Now, she has to pay for what she's done.
SIXTEEN by scarlett
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Nick may have amnesia but he could remember a woman with brown hair and a charming smile. What bothers him is that she's not Daphne. It surprised him when he saw the actual facec of the woman in the picture that Errol showed him. Errol, on the other hand, had other plans for his twin brother. He's brainwashing Nick to go against Shaira. Is he going to be successful this time? What is going to happen?



CHAPTER 16







Nick smiled as he walked towards the window of his spacious room without using his cane. He can already walk on his own without the support of a sturdy piece of metal stick. His brother, Errol, doesn't know it yet. Errol left for New York early this morning for business and will be back after two weeks. It's been raining since yesterday and Nick hoped that his twin's flight would be fine. He felt that if he would be the one traveling by air, he'd be greatly terrified. He must have hated flying. Maybe he forgot about that fact, too.



He glanced at the door when the knob turned. Daphne is here again, for her usual ten o' clock visits. He grinned when he saw her stopped by the doorway and saw him standing. "Oh my God!" she laughed happily and went to hug him. "Honey, this is a surprise."



"Yes, surprise, surprise." Nick hugged her back. "How are you doing? How are the wedding… preparations g-going?" Aside from being able to walk straight again, his words are now slowly coming out easily from him.



"Well," Daphne leaned her forehead against his, "it's great. I'll be having a gown-fitting next Friday and the food selection is scheduled tomorrow. Now that you're fine, we'll go to the caterer together and sample the food we wanted for our wedding." Nick only nodded. Daphne noticed his silence. "What's bothering you, baby?"



Nick turned away and went to sit at the edge of his bed. "Honestly, I don't think I'm r-ready to get married when I know that I'm missing out…something from my m-memory, Daphne. It's…frustrating. I hope you will understand. I j-just can't make a commitment with you when I don't e-even know or sure of what I am."



"You're postponing our wedding, Nick?"



Nick looked at her. It was really frustrating. He leaned closer to kiss her on the lips, lingering the sweetness of it. "Errol told me about Shaira Richardson." He saw her frowned at that.



"You're going to postpone or wedding again because of her? Nick!"



Nick smiled and embraced Daphne. "I want to punish the woman first for doing this thing to me. I…I can't marry you right now unless we finally had her in peace a-and out of our lives. Don't worry, Daphne. And I'm trying to remember about u-us. I want to remember everything. I want to love you c-completely."



"Having you back, Nick, is enough. Having you alive and breathing here with me again is enough." Daphne kissed him again. But Nick made up his mind. He already talked to Errol about postponing the wedding again until he's finished dealing with Lucas' granddaughter who almost ruined his life and bringing down the company who ruined his twin's family. Things have to be settled first.





~~~





Errol set down his pen after he was finished signing on the contracts. Glancing beside his lawyers, he is sure that he securely got the major shares from the company. He noticed that the old man, Lucas Chrysler, is not around for the meeting. His grandsons, Kevin Richardson and Marc Chrysler are the only ones together with their own lawyers and the Board of Trustees present. He noticed that Kevin is quite uneasy since the meeting began. It must have something to do with what happened to his sister and his brother-in-law. He heard him talking to his wife over the phone earlier before the meeting started. According to some people he knew, Shaira went back from Australia and gave up on finding Nick.



Everyone knows what happened to the newly married couple. But to protect Shaira, they never let the media get to see her. They never knew how she coped up with this massive ordeal in her life and what she does to find her missing husband. And still, no one knows what happened to her husband. But Errol knew.



"Excuse me," Kevin muttered as his phone, continue to ring. The meeting has concluded and everyone is getting up to leave. He shook hands with Errol and his lawyer first before going out of the boardroom. Errol simply greeted the members of the Board of Trustees then makes his way out of the room as well. He saw Kevin talking with someone on the phone at the hallway.



"How's LA? Good. Really? How about putting up a restaurant? We can make some feasibility study and let's see if we can start something from there." He heard Kevin saying. Interesting, Shaira is in LA where Nick is too. He's looking forward to tell Nick about this.
SEVENTEEN by scarlett
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Nick decided to call off the wedding with Daphne for the meanwhile because he wanted to finish dealing with Shaira first. Errol learned that Shaira is in LA and he's looking forward to tell Nick on his wife's whereabouts.





CHAPTER 17








"Finally, I met you."



Nick looked up and saw an old man walking his way towards him. He stood up as he gives the man and questioning look. "Uh, I'm sorry but I didn't catch your name, Sir."



"I'm Harold, Errol's grandfather." The old man said and sat on a chair wearily. "I was told by our lawyers that Errol had successfully found his missing twin. I can say that there are some features that are similar but the rest," he looked at Nick from head to foot, "is different. Maybe that's why you're fraternal. The DNA tests confirmed your blood relations." He smiled at Nick. The man comfortably leaned back against the chair.



"I didn't know that I had a twin. I grew up with my parents being the only child. I didn't know that because they were too poor to take care of the two babies, they have given the other one away." Nick sits down on the opposite chair. "It was fortunate that he grew up under better circumstances."



"Errol grew up with my son, Gregory. You couldn't call it lucky when the man who adopted you always gave you a hard beating. I took Errol under my care when he was six and lived with me ever since. When I learned recently that he had a living brother, I told him to look for you." Harold said. "Believe me, Nick. We were very careful in finding his missing family. It took us years before we finally traced his family background and found out that he is half of a twin sibling. That's when we began looking for you." Nick didn't say anything. He looked at this young man with a heart-shaped face, apart from the hard, chiseled ones of Errol's. But he and Nick still have some facial similarities which can make others be reminded that they are related. "How do you do now? I heard you were on therapy based on what happened in the accident."



"I can only remember my younger past. I can't remember anything at the present." Nick replied.



"You don't remember who you are and what you do?" Harold asked incredulously. When Nick nodded, he sighed. "According from the reports I received from my lawyers, you are a travel journalist and a professional photographer."



"Did you know about Shaira Richardson?"



Harold nodded. "She's your wife. Are you going back to her?"



Nick frowned. "No, I don't think so."



"But you just married her, Nick. Did something happen in Sydney that made you leave her?"



"I'm still confused with what's happening between us. Time will come that I'll go and talk with her, but not now."



There was silence for a while until Harold spoke again. "Lucas opposed to the relationship that you had with his daughter because you were poor then."



"And he should be surprised to know what I am right now." Nick continued. "I'm not the poor man he thought that I am. I now hold the majority of his company's shares." He grinned. "With what he's done to me, he and his family are going down the drain, Sir. Errol and I will assure you on that."



"I don't understand." Harold frowned, giving Nick a confused look.



"You heard it right, grandpa." Both men turned when they heard Errol's voice. He just came in and heard their conversation. "Nick left Shaira but we assured you, we've got majority of the shares of the Chrysler in our hands. It will be soon enough that we'll have the entire company, leaving Lucas with nothing but his clothes on his back. Nick and I will take control of the company. He will settle the divorce with Shaira Richardson and marry Daphne. That's the way it is, grandpa. Shaira is the reason why Nick got into the accident in the first place."



"Why are you doing this, Errol?"



Errol looked at his grandfather. He frowned. He tossed his keys on the table and went to pour Scotch whisky on a glass with ice. "You know better than to interfere, grandpa. This is my time to get back to that Lucas and make him pay for what he's done to our family."



"Son, I bury the hatchet long time ago. Sure, it's been hard at that time but we managed to get back on the top and bring back all the wealth that we have." Harold said. He watched Errol paced around the spacious living room, after giving Nick his Scotch. He certainly had similar features like those of Nick's but the twins were completely different. Errol had a different way of thinking. His heart is filled with revenge for the things happened in his life. Nick, on the other hand, may have lived and grew up in poverty but he made that experience a lesson to live by. He seeks goodness among others and reached out to help whenever possible he can. Errol is taking advantage of Nick's amnesia and he's successful in making his twin believe him. There's no hint of tenderness, or goodness, in Nick's eyes. He can see an evil glint on it, just like the one in Errol's. Their combination is slightly alarming for Harold.



"I don't care, grandpa. Lucas will deserve what he will get." He smirked and then drinks his whisky. "It'll be too late for him to learn that Nick gets the majority of the company he had. I worked it hard for my brother, grandpa. It's ironic that the man Lucas disapproved for his granddaughter before now owned the company just like that." Errol snapped his fingers. "It will happen to him what he's done to you before and Nick deserved the riches. My brother lived hard in his life. He deserved to live in abundance."



"But not this way, Errol. This is not the right way." Harold said.



"Then what is the right way, Sir?" Nick asked. He stood up, meeting his twin halfway. They stood together and Harold can see that Errol changed him. He is now on his brother's side, agreeing with him on his plans against Lucas and his family. There's no hint of the Nick he seemed to know, according to the investigator's background reports about him.



"Nick, you married Shaira because you love her. In your right mind, you won't do this to her." Harold tried again. He watched as Nick turned to Errol in question but then looked back to him.



"I remember that I found her kissing and dancing with her cousin's boyfriend at a club in New York." Nick stated, surprising both men. Errol glanced at his brother. Nick grinned and nodded. "Were you surprised at my progress, brother? I was trying to remember anything about her and that's what I could remember right now. I'd never marry a woman who fools around, even with her cousin's boyfriend."



Errol grinned, patting his brother on his shoulders. "You're right about that, Nick. Her cousin, Romina, and Shaira aren't exactly in good terms because of Shaira's wild behavior."



"Errol, stop it!" Harold exclaimed. "Stop brainwashing Nick, right now."



Both men turned to him. Errol had this angry glare that he's never given his grandfather before. "I'm not brainwashing Nick. If you only knew," he turned to Nick, "Lucas had tried to kill you before because you had a relationship with Shaira. It was the same way he did with Shaira's parents but this time, he was never successful when it comes to you. He threatened your life, Nick. He is not a good man. He doesn't even care about Shaira, or her brother Kevin, but he doesn't want a poor man like you going around his granddaughter. He's a superficial person. He only wanted people who live the way he does, rich and famous, and not just some poor travel journalist who earns so little to even call a salary."



The room went silent after Errol said that. Nick shakes his head. He finished with his Scotch, placed in on the table and announced that he'll see Daphne. As he passed by Errol, he smiled. "I need the help of a lawyer, Errol, divorce lawyer."



"Sure thing," Errol replied, nodding in approval. "Oh and by the way, Shaira is here in LA. That will make things easier for you."
EIGHTEEN by scarlett
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Nick finally met Harold, Errol's adoptive grandfather. He learned that Nick had amnesia and even witnessed how Errol tried to brainwash his brother to go against his wife and her family.




CHAPTER 18





Lucas sets his wine goblet down on his mahogany desk and stared at the pictures inside the album on top of his desk. The album contains a collection of photos of his grandchildren.



He had three children, two boys and a girl. His eldest son, Jared, died in a young age but left a bastard son under Lucas' care, Marc. Jared was a stubborn son who never wanted to be part of Lucas' business. He wanted to be an architect and make a name of his own. But fate had plans for him. He died in an accident and left his pregnant girlfriend the trust fund he received from his grandmother. But Lucas knew better than to trust some stranger with Jared's money. He paid the woman off in exchange for Jared's son. But Martha didn't want it and Lucas did what should be done. He staged Martha's accident and Marc lived with him ever since.



Then there was his only daughter, Laurice, who ran away when he opposed her choice of a husband. He hated what she did. He could never forgive her for eloping with that impoverished Richardson when he had plans of marrying her off to a business colleague who will strengthen his alliance with his business partners. She bore two children from that man and like Jared, her fate was sealed when she died in an accident together with her husband. They orphaned their two children of whom Johanna, Lucas' deceased wife, decided to get to live with them in New York. Ignoring Lucas' protest, Johanna succeeded in getting her grandchildren from Kentucky to live with them. She sent Kevin and Shaira to school and gave them what they deserved as part of the Chrysler family. But Lucas never reached out to love or even care for the two orphans. They were their mother's children and he can never accept them.



His youngest child, Trace, was the most obedient among his children. He married a woman offered by Lucas and they bore a daughter, Romina. He takes over the business when his siblings weren't there to work with it. Unfortunately, he had to die in a young age too. He was diagnosed with HIV positive and that's when Lucas found out that Trace was a homosexual. Romina was a child to another man by Trace's wife and only used the opportunity to be married to him just to give a name to her unborn baby. Lucas tried to protect that secret to avoid press scandal. And so, Romina doesn't have to know that she's not a real Chrysler. He also made Trace's widow swear up to her grave that she will never tell the truth of Romina's identity to her daughter and to anyone.



Lucas looked down at the photos as he flipped on the pages. No one in his family knows that he keeps something like this. No one in the family will know that as he looks through the memories of his family's childhood, he's also counting the remaining days he would had and recalling the things he's done and should be done.



~~~





"It's a god thing that I'm here in LA," Romina said as she entered Errol's study room. "I have an early flight tomorrow back to New York. What's up?" She walked towards him and bents down to kiss him fully on the lips.



Errol smiled as Romina edge herself closer to him. He could clearly see her cleavage which sends reaction to his senses. Her lavender scent stirs him more, wanting to have his way to her. But he had to do what he got to do before anything else. "I have a surprise for you, Romina." He softly trailed her face with his fingers. She's no Lyra but she can give him what he wants. Of course, he can never love anyone as much as he loved his Lyra.



"Great." Romina replied. She placed her hand on his lap near the middle of his thighs and Errol silently gasped.



"You're always a tease, Romina, but I want to get on with the business first." Errol takes her hand away from the danger.



"I came to you before knowing that you'd be able to help me get back to my lying grandfather. When I learn that I'm not his real granddaughter, I need to do something to get a hold of that company." Romina said. "I want all my cousins out of my way."



Errol chuckled. He shakes his head. "We will see to that, don't worry. I know, your first priority is Shaira. The ball in the game is still in my court, Romina. They have to deal with me first before anything else."



Romina raised an eyebrow. "Is that the surprise you're talking about?"



"Tell me where is Shaira first."



"All I know is that she's here in LA with her friend, Frances. Unfortunately, I don't know where they are staying right now." Romina replied. They both turned when the door opened and she gasped in surprise when she saw Nick.



"You need to know about it immediately," Errol quickly whispered and then smiled at Nick. "Do you remember her? Romina Chrysler, Shaira's cousin."



Nick frowned. "What is she doing here?" He asked. Errol returned the frown. Can he remember Romina now, to even react that way? Can he remember the real situation instead of the lies that he told him? "She's one of the enemies." Nick added.



Errol began to smile. "No, she's not. She's an ally."



"I'm not exactly in good terms with my cousin, Shaira." Romina filled in; taking the idea immediately that Nick didn't remember anything based on the look he's giving her. "She seduced my boyfriend even though she's already married to you. And believe me, Nick, she was never worried when you're gone. She even announced to me that she can take any lovers that she wanted now that she's a free woman."



Nick looked away, his frown deepened. "I'd like to see her anytime soon and get this thing over with her." In fact, I'd like to speak with her to deal with her own truth, Nick thought. Although Errol told him about what Shaira has done, a part of him had this longing to see her and to know the truth from her own words. He thought a lot about it and he doesn't want to jump into any decisions or emotions because he still couldn't remember everything. He's only appearing as if he agrees with Errol's plans of ruining Shaira's family but his mind is falling against it. It even adds up when Harold is trying to tell him otherwise what Errol has been telling him. It's confusing him. From the corner of his eye, he saw Errol and Romina exchanging glances. Something's going on between that two and he needs to get into the bottom of everything here.





~~~







Shaira browsed through the pages of a cookbook she found interesting in a bookstore. She's now in LA, living with Frances and helping her manage her boutique. She's taking things one at a time, trying to live amidst the loss. She missed Nick so much and it was like it wasn't worth living at all because he's gone.



Tears started again. Shaira quickly wiped it away and tried to focus on the cookbook she's holding. Ever since Nick was gone, she tried not to cook pasta because it only reminds her of their last times together. She closed the book. Actually, she lost her will to even lift a ladle to cook again. She doesn't have to browse for any cookbooks. She turned to leave but unfortunately bumped into someone. The person dropped her books and Shaira quickly helped her to pick them up.



"I'm sorry. I wasn't looking my way." Shaira said as she gives the book to a blonde woman. The woman looked at her and it was as if her eyes widened.



"Uh, it's alright." The woman said and quickly left. Shaira left wondering. She looked down and found one more book that was left by the woman. She immediately picked it up and rushed to follow the woman. "Excuse me, but you forgot one…" She stopped on her tracks when she saw the woman gets reunited with a man.



It was Nick.
NINETEEN by scarlett
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Lucas seemed to be counting his memories of his children as he also counts his remaining days. What does that mean? Is he going to die? Meanwhile, Romina already knew that Nick is alive when she saw him coming inside Errol's office. When Nick saw her with Errol, he is already thinking about wanting to see Shaira and hearing her own truth. He didn't like the feeling of Romina's presence especially when he thinks that something's going on between his twin and Romina.
On the other hand, Shaira saw Nick at a bookstore. What's going to happen after this?




CHAPTER 19






The woman leaned up to kiss him on the lips. Shaira felt her world spinning at the sight. Her breathing came fast as she witnessed the unexpected. Nick is here, alive, and with a woman. "Nick?"



It was as if he heard her and he turned around. Their eyes locked for a moment. He'd grown his hair and he's wearing a suit. Is this Nick? All the features were the same and Shaira felt a lump formed in her throat as she finds the words to say. She watched as the man looked at her with a puzzled expression on his face. Their eyes locked together as a moment passed between them. He only turned away when the woman beside him began pulling him out of the bookstore.



"Nick…" she uttered his name but he didn't look back. Shaira wanted everything to be just a nightmare. Unfortunately, it is not. She can feel her heart hurting and her cheeks wet with tears. She can only watch as Nick walk away from her.





~~~





Nick walked quietly towards his room, his feeling were so heavy since he came home from accompanying Daphne with her shopping. And he knew that it wasn't because he is tired but because he is thinking about Shaira. There were mixed feelings ever since he saw her in the flesh. He saw Shaira at the bookstore. He knew that it was her. Something surged from within and it surprised him to realize that it was excitement to see her again. He had the urge earlier to rush over her and hug her and ease away the sad look from her eyes. But when Daphne pulled him away, he can only follow her. He is confused now. If only he could remember something, if not everything, he wouldn't go through this difficult ordeal in his life.



He wearily locked the door when he got in and sat at the edge of his bed, leaning down while holding his head with his hands. He wanted to remember everything so that he will understand what this feeling is. The sight of Shaira changed him and it just felt odd. Why?



He looked around his room and found the portfolio that Errol showed him was the product of his work. He couldn't believe that he's got the talent to capture a beautiful moment and make a living out of it. It must be a cool job. His attention went to the signature at the bottom right. NC + SR, 2005. His brows furrowed at that. What does that mean? He felt as if he couldn't breathe as the pain in his head hit without warning. He blinked many times as he went back to his bed and closed his eyes. Please, let this thing go away, he silently prayed. With both hands clasping his head, a thought still tried to squeeze past the agony. It occurred to him a thought of Shaira and him sitting together in a restaurant somewhere, holding hands, laughing and kissing.



Another pain shot through him and there was another vision of him and Shaira, holding each other's hand tightly as her grandfather was pulling him away from her and yelling at him. He saw the fear, and then the love in her eyes, as she released his hand and stepped away from him. She chose her grandfather over him and it hurt him.



Nick groaned aloud as he fell back on his bed. He never knew what happened next.
TWENTY by scarlett
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: When Shaira saw Nick, it occurred to her why is he with another woman and he didn't do anything when he saw her. She knew that it was her husband and it hurts her to see him with another woman while she is trying not to lose her mind thinking that he's already gone.
Meanwhile, Nick got home feeling so heavy after he saw Shaira. There's a different feeling when he saw her and it surprised him to realize that she excited him. He had another shots of headache and visions in his mind and he passed out after that.







CHAPTER 20






Shaira felt she never came close to the things she wanted the most. All she wanted is a simple and happy life but it didn't come easy for her. Her parents died in a car accident which left her and Kevin orphans in such a young age. Their wealthy grandparents on their mother's side may be the ones who raised them, but she never felt the love and comfort she longed for as a child. She grew up in a rich society where hypocrisies and scandals were everywhere and she didn't like it. She's a country girl at heart and she longed for the peacefulness of Lexington. She was never used to this life that was given to her by their grandmother.



And then she met Nick, who brought hope and life back to back to her. Days were brighter with him. She thought that there will be no problem at all but her grandfather learned about Nick and he was strictly against their relationship. Along with Romina's interference, she chose to break up with him and they never saw each other again until a few months ago when the company was in trouble and circumstances called for Shaira to marry Nick.



Things would have been better and she thought that she already had the thing she wanted the most: love and happiness with Nick. But the accident happened and Nick was missing. And now she found him here in LA, walking away with another woman. That really hurts and that was so unfair. She could still remember the way he held that woman's waist and walked out of the bookstore. How could he do this to her?



Silently fuming, she adjusted her sunglasses as she walked inside Frances' boutique. She found her best friend, who is already back from her lunch date with some advertising guy in a nearby building. She glanced at her watch. She's late for almost three hours now. After that incident at the bookstore, she wandered around the street to clear her mind but it didn't help. "Uh, I'm sorry for the tardiness." She just said and went behind the counter.



Frances saw her mood and instantly knew that something is wrong. "It's okay. What happened?" Shaira shakes her head and only smiled in reply, but Frances knew better. "What happened?" She pressed once more.



Without any word, Shaira ran towards the store's stockroom. Frances followed behind, after giving her store clerk the instructions to take over. She found Shaira crying on a corner and she instantly knew what's wrong. Only Nick can turn her best friend like this. "I…I saw Nick, at the bookstore. He is alive and a woman was with him." Shaira bit her lower lip. "He…he just looked at me in a different way like he doesn't know me."



"Nick is alive? And he's with another woman?" Frances exclaimed a curse. She bents down and gathered her best friend in her arms. "Oh, Shaira…" Her friend welcomed the embrace. "If I can only go where he is right now, I'm going to smash his face until it goes down to nothing. I'm going to bang his head against the wall –"



"I can see the picture." Shaira said. "I knew it was Nick that I saw. It just puzzles me why he didn't even talk with me. He just stared at me."



"What could have happened to him?" Frances wondered.



Shaira sighed and shrugged. "I don't know but I need to see him again. I need to talk with him and get things straight on what happened to him."





~~~





"Aaah!"



Nick opened his eyes and stared at the blackness of the room. Sweat is dripping down his face and he could feel the moist in his body. His breathing ragged. It was only a dream. He stood from the bed and went to change his shirt. While wiping the sweat off his body, he tries to recall his dream.



His hands reached out to cover another hand: silky, smooth hands that hesitated to be touched first before finally giving in. It felt warm against his. There's a wedding ring on the finger and he smiled. He looked at the person and he saw Shaira. They were sitting together in a small restaurant and there was a smell of delicious Italian pasta in the air, but his mind was on her. He pulled her into his warm embrace.



"It's all in the past. God knows how I missed you so much, Shaira. I'm sorry, too." Nick bents down to kiss her lips. "You're not going to work in his company and I'm going to take you away from him. I'll take care of you and you will be free to do whatever you want, away from his control. I love you, Shaira. You are mine and no one is going to harm you or take you away from me."



Nick wiped her tears and kissed her fully on the lips. "I love you, too, Nick. Let's start something new." Shaira said as she was wrapped in his embrace. They went silent for a while again, savoring the feeling of being back to each other's arms.



"We will. I promise, Shaira."



And then the next scene he saw, he was swimming at sea when a sudden change of currents hit him. A large school of fish further washed him away. He lost control over himself and felt someone grabbing him by his waist. He could feel the waves sweeping him in his helpless motion. He struggled for freedom from the tight grip, but with panic and fear, he lost his strength to fight. He remembered his oxygen mask was taken off. He called for Shaira and then his vision went black.



It wasn't a dream. It all happened before. It was a flashback. He was in Australia with his wife when it all happened. Why do Shaira keeps on flashing in his mind? He sighed and went to the bathroom to take a shower. A few minutes later, he went out and ready to find the answer to the questions that keep on bugging him.
TWENTY ONE by scarlett
Author's Notes:
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Shaira was hurt when she saw Nick with another woman. Frances managed to know what's troubling her friend and learned from her that she saw Nick. Meanwhile, Nick woke up after passing out from severe headache and recalled what was somehow he could remember. It was al about Shaira . He decided to go and look for her and ask her questions that's been bothering him.
CHAPTER 21





Kevin's jaw clenched as he finally put the pieces of the puzzle together. His grandfather put Shaira in a game to keep the family business going, never minding what the consequences could bring and who would be affected. Errol Henstridge is part of the schemes as well.



He never knew much about Errol except that he's the adopted grandson of Harold Henstridge. He only met him face to face when his grandfather introduced Errol as a big-time investor who wanted to marry Shaira. He never knew that Errol is Nick's long-lost twin brother, that he had plans of making Nick as his major representative as a stockholder or he had plans in taking full subsidy over the company's financial turmoil. He never knew that his grandfather secretly made arrangements with Errol about Shaira and Nick. Kevin has been used as part of the game, fell for it and pushed his sister into marrying her ex-boyfriend.



He is thankful that he considered hiring someone to make a background check on Errol. He was also able to find out the conspiracy that is going on between his grandfather and Errol.



And then, the accident in Australia happened. Nick was missing for weeks which caused an almost nervous breakdown on Shaira's part. Kevin felt himself torn into pieces when he saw his sister's condition. Shaira's life was slowly melting down like candle but not until she decided to continue living even without Nick. Shaira still knew better than to sulk on a corner and grieve for the loss of her husband. He pitied the young couple's condition, wishing that these things shouldn't have happened. His sister went to California with her best friend to try to heal the pain of loss.



And now that Kevin learned the game that their grandfather played, he should do something to end it. The game is over, Nick is gone. He stood up from his office chair, out of his office and walked towards his grandfather's office. He was almost there when he heard Romina's voice coming from within.



"I'm going to expose you, grandpa. You know better than to mess up with me." Romina said which caused Kevin to raise an eyebrow. How dare is Romina to speak like that to their grandfather?



"I'm too old for your threats, Romina. It's up to you if you can do what you are threatening me. Just think about what other people will say when they learn that you were never my real granddaughter after all. I was planning to keep that secret from you forever but you were very resourceful. I commend you on that." Lucas said. There was silence. Kevin knew that Romina was left speechless at that. He is, too. But for Romina, it's not everyday that someone would make her ran out of words. "But don't worry. You will still have your share of your inheritance. I will guarantee you that."



"I want this company!" Romina demanded. "I want to own this company, grandpa. You have to tell Marc and Kevin to back off. You will do that or else I will expose the truth of my father's death, or the truth about the death of your other children. People will wonder if you're still capable in handling this company. You will lose your investors. You will lose your business credibility."



Kevin heard his grandfather's chuckling sound. "Wow, Romina. You sound bolder and more demanding than ever. You can't scare me now. You can't have the company. Unfortunately, Marc is the legitimate first heir and so is Kevin. The legal documents have already been done. Don't worry. You'll still get much better than Shaira. That cousin of yours has gone insane and truly incapable of handling any of my companies."



"Maybe not, grandpa. You may not give Shaira everything but she still have more than what I will acquire. Errol Henstridge happened to be Nick's missing twin brother and the major stocks that Errol owned in this company was given to Nick. Unfortunately, Nick is gone thus, transferring all his properties to his legal beneficiary, which is Shaira." Romina said, causing a surprise turnaround for Kevin when he heard that. Nick was Errol's twin? Then he should have already known what happened to his brother. But why does Romina knew about it? Is it possible that she, and Errol, had something to do about Nick being missing? Is he with them? Is he still alive?



Kevin slowly stepped back from the door of the office as realization slowly dawned into him. Nick might still be alive and he's with Errol. There's probably a reason why he isn't showing himself to them, or to Shaira. He's probably in danger. Knowing Romina's evil side, Kevin can be sure that Nick is being held back for some reason. Something wrong is going on here. He had to talk with Shaira about this…







~~~



Nick ran his hand through his hair and sighed. He is stupid. He is looking for Shaira but yeah, he doesn't even know where. He stopped on a nearby bench and sits for a while. He took his wallet from his back pocket and looked at its contents. Since Errol gave that wallet to him, he never bothered taking a look at it. What he saw inside were a couple of a hundred dollars, two twenty dollars, a driver's license, and two credit cards under his name and nothing more. That's just about it. He was about to close it when he noticed a secret pocket beside the hundred dollar bill. He thought it was just some slight defect on the wallet but it's indeed, a secret place. He found a small photo of himself and Shaira. Behind it was a note, NC + SR, Forever.



Nick Carter and Shaira Richardson? Nick thought. So that's what probably means at the bottom of the photo he found earlier. Where's Daphne in the picture? Clearly, he didn't saw anything that relates with him and Daphne. It's been always with Shaira. He stood up. He needs to find Shaira and he needs answers now. Maybe he will go somewhere near the bookstore where he saw her, where he will be able to locate her. She's maybe the reason for his accident, when he almost died, but she also held some answers that he couldn't ask Errol.
TWENTY TWO by scarlett
Author's Notes:
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Kevin learned about his grandfather's conspiracy with Errol to rsave the company from bankruptcy. When he's on the way to his grandfather's office to confront him about it, he overheard Romina inside and demanding with their old man about her interest to control the business - as well as the truth about her birthright. He also had a hunch that Nick might still be alive based on the confidence and misichievousness he sensed from Romina's tone.
Meanwhile, Nick is looking for Shaira. As he stopped for a while, he checked on his wallet and found a hidden picture of him and Shaira and his motivation to find her grew more.

CHAPTER 22







Damn those men! Frances muttered to herself as she tried to arrange the clothes in front of her. Her last boyfriend was a certified a-hole and Nick was never far from that, since he's the one responsible for making Shaira miserable. How could he do this to her? Shaira sacrificed a lot for both of them, have gone through everything just to fight for the kind of love that she had with him. He has no right to break her heart this way! Shaira deserved better than him.



"Excuse me, Miss. Do you think this color will suit me?" A woman asked her.



Frances put a smile on her face when she looked at the woman. The female customer is showing off a red sleeveless top with discreet laces on the neckline. "Certainly, ma'am. It will show off your wonderful tan. Have you just been on a vacation somewhere?" She walked the customer towards one of the other racks where she could suggest another top for her.



"Yes, I just had my honeymoon in Cayman Islands with my husband. I just got married." The woman smiled. "And thanks, I'll get this top. I fell in love with this as soon as I saw it."



"Thank you. Maybe you should also try this one," Frances showed her a beautiful white Bohemian sleeveless top, accentuated with some native beads and carefully-colored designs. "It's for casual day-to-day get-up you can wear right now. You can just pair it with any of your jeans and heels." She continues to blab on with her sales talk just as when her heart beats up when she saw a somehow familiar blonde head in sight. "How about it?"



"I'd like to take one as well. You're right, and it sure feels hot these days." The woman smiled. "Thank you."



"You're welcome," Frances quickly ushered her to the cashier and immediately excused herself to go out of her boutique. "Nick!!!"



The one she called turned quickly around even though he's already meters away from the store. Anyone within earshot heard Frances' loud call. Nick raised an eyebrow, never recognizing who she is. "Get your fucking ass over here!" She yelled.



"Me? Who are you?" Nick never moved from where he is.



Frances raised an eyebrow. "Who am I?" She motioned her fingers for him to come near. Nick sighed and walked towards her. But when he gets near, he received a hard punch on the face, another slap on the cheeks and her hands were on his hair. "Who am I? How could you?"



"Hey, stop it! I don't even know you." Nick shielded himself from this tigress of a woman. He tried to move away but Frances wasn't done yet. "Stop. Who are you?"



"What's going on here?"



Both stopped and looked up when they heard the voice. Nick was surprised when he saw Shaira. "I'm just giving your husband the beating he deserved, and I'm not yet through." And with that, she continued slapping Nick on his back and pulling out his hair. Nick winced from the pain as the woman continued with her beating. People passing by are giving them curious glances.



"Stop it, France!" Shaira pulled Nick away from her and stood between Frances and Nick.



"That jerk even lied that he doesn't know me." Frances exclaimed. People were starting to crowd around them and Shaira decided to let the matter be taken inside the store. The two followed her inside until they got into the stockroom. "So, what have you got to say for yourself, huh, Nick?"



"I was looking for her." Nick glanced at Shaira, who immediately provided him a cold towel for his face. He took it with gratitude. "Who are you?"



"You should know me. What's happening to you, Nick? Did you lose your memory or something?" Frances sarcastically asked. When Nick didn't reply, her eyes widened. "What really happened to you?"



"I was hoping she can answer me." Nick replied. He turned to her. "Listen, I came here to ask you something."



"After seeing you with that woman, what is it that you wanted to ask of me?"



He looked down, unable to say or think of anything. He turned to her again. "I want to know the circumstances of our marriage."



"Huh?" Shaira looked at him in wonder. "What do you mean?" Her heartbeat began to race. Is he talking about the part where she blackmailed him to marry her?



Nick can only run his hand through his soft blond locks and sigh. "Forget it." He said but stopped when Frances blocked his exit. "What?"



"You don't know me and that means something serious, Nick. You just don't forget your wife's best friend. And you certainly don't have to walk away looking like you really don't know us especially your wife. What really happened to you? You just don't go here and look for her then leave just like that. Nick! You love her, very much and enough to take her away from her manipulative grandfather amidst the truth that you just married her because you wanted to stay with your job offer." Frances pushed him to turn back to Shaira.



"I came here to ask Shaira about the real deal with our marriage. I've been told about a lot of things but I wanted to hear your side. My brother told me a great deal about you and our marriage. You're the reason why I almost died in the first place. You didn't know the agony I'm having right now after I've gone back from Sydney." Nick said as his eyes met Shaira's.



"Wait, you have a brother?" Shaira asked him.



"Errol Henstridge, the major stockholder in your grandfather's company. He's my twin brother. News flash. I got the big deal with the majority of your grandfather's stocks. I will walk away with everything and you have no choice but to see me go. You and your grandfather will go down the drain the way Lucas did with Harold Henstridge."



"What are you saying? What are those things did your brother told you?" Frances exclaimed when she can see that Shaira could only stare back at her husband. "Shaira wasn't the reason for what happened to you in Sydney. It's either an accident or it was all planned." She said as she tried to put on the pieces of what happened together.



"Errol Henstridge is your brother?" Shaira quietly asked him.



"He's my twin."



Frances shakes her head. Things must be straightened before this day is over. Right after Nick said his piece, she started to have an idea on what happened to him and she will never let Nick get out from her sight unless things were clear between him and Shaira. She will make sure of that.



~~~





"You're here…" Mrs. Bette watched as Errol sets down his luggage on the side and looked around. "Nick was out a while ago. He didn't tell me where he'll go."



Errol frowned. "Where's Daphne?"



"She must be home. She and Nick were together this morning." Mrs. Bette replied. "Is there something wrong?"



Errol shakes his head. "Shaira is here in LA. Nick shouldn't go around without anyone with him." It was his only reply and went upstairs to his room.
TWENTY THREE by scarlett
Author's Notes:
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: France was able to see Nick when he happened to pass by her boutique in LA and that's when SHaira also got the chance to talk to him and learn that Errol is his fraternal twin and the one who's been taking care of him since the accident.
Meanwhile, Errol went back to California and he's looking for Nick. He learned that Nick isn't at home. What happens then? Is he going to look for his brother? What is Shaira going to do now that Nick is alive?
CHAPTER 23





Shaira shakes her head after she heard what Nick had just told them. He is in amnesia and he couldn't remember her until when Errol filled in the details about her, which are all lies. Why would Errol Henstridge have to do that? To take revenge on what her grandfather did to his grandfather many years ago? Why did he have to bring Nick in the situation, as well as her?



Everyone was looking at her, waiting for her to say something. Shaira wiped her tears as she met Nick's look. "I understand that you couldn't remember anything, Nick, but why did you have to believe him easily? That's the thing that I cannot understand about you. You just met your twin brother and yet, you believe his lies as if you've known him all your life."



"In the first place, you haven't told me the truth yet."



"What's the point, to save our marriage?" Shaira bit her lower lip. "I wanted to do it so bad, Nick. I love you very much that it almost made me insane thinking that I've lost you. I wanted you back in my life but it seems like you didn't even trust me now. You may not even believe any word I say. Would you really like to hear the truth from me now?"



Frances discreetly walked out of the stockroom to give the two the chance now to be alone and settle the dilemma. Nick stared at the woman who has been in his thoughts ever since. He's getting more confused. Errol told him things in which he easily believed but then, he wanted to believe this woman more. It was as if his heart trusted her more than anyone else. Slowly, he sits on a stool and stared at Shaira. His wife did the same and they spent the succeeding minutes just quietly staring at each other.



~~~





Kevin sighed heavily as he waited for someone to pick up the phone. He smiled when Frances picked up on the other line. "Frances, this is Kevin."



"Oh, hi. You must be a psychic." Frances said. He could hint the excitement in her voice.



"What do you mean?"



"Nick is alive and I left him alone with Shaira right now." Frances replied. Kevin nearly dropped the phone when he heard that.



"Frances, no matter what he says or do, don't let him leave. Don't let him get out of your sight, okay? This is very important. I'll try to arrange a flight to go there." Kevin stood up, the phone pressed between his ears and shoulders. He began clearing his table and keeping his laptop to its case. If he gets lucky, he's leaving the town. He needs to finish this game and save his sister and Nick from Errol, Romina, and their grandfather.





~~~





"What are we going to do now? Where do we go from here?" Shaira asked.



"I made up my mind." Nick announced. He touched his head and felt the pain again but he knew better than to show it to Shaira. There were flashes again as he closed his eyes. He's in a park, walking hand in hand with Shaira. They stopped and they kissed and he whispered his love to her. He opened his eyes and saw Shaira now kneeling in front of him. He can see the worry across her beautiful face.



"Are you alright, baby?"



Oh, God , Nick thought. "I'm having flashes in my mind and I see you, Shaira." He felt her hand enveloping his, warm and soft hands that seemed all too familiar with him. He saw the same wedding ring that he saw in his dreams. She gripped his hand tight and raised it up to gently kiss it.



"Your mind may have forgotten but your heart never will, Nick." Tears started to come down her cheeks. "What's on your mind now?"



Nick reached out to wipe her tears. "I think that it's just right that as your husband, I should stay here with you."
TWENTY FOUR by scarlett
Author's Notes:
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Nick and Shaira finally get to talk about what happened to him ad what are they going to do with their marriage.
Meanwhile, Errol is back in LA and he is looking for Nick, fearing that he's probably out and looking for his wife now.
CHAPTER 24





Errol saw Daphne walking in to the foyer. He frowned. "Where's Nick?" He asked immediately. The woman raised an eyebrow and looked around. "Yes, I'm talking to you, Daphne."



"I came here and looking for him as well." Daphne replied. "I'm worried because he saw Shaira at a bookstore. You didn't tell me that she's here in LA."



Errol ran his hands through his hair. Problems arise now. "He must be out to look for her…" He grabbed his coat and went out of the house, followed by Daphne. "They should not talk. That woman will ruin the plans."



Daphne stopped on her tracks. She watched as Errol went to his car. He turned to see her still standing there. "What?"



"Nothing. You go ahead. I'll follow you behind." Daphne said. She watched as Errol went to his car and sped off, actually not knowing where to look for Nick. She, on the other hand, slowly went to her car. A smile dawned into her face. It was just all Errol's plans and she has nothing to do with it. She has her own plans and it's going to be way different from Errol's.





~~~





Frances opened the door and saw Kevin and Kristin standing in her front porch. "Goodness, Kristin. Come inside. You shouldn't be tiring yourself," she shook her head and glared at Kevin for taking his pregnant wife along with the trip.



"It's alright. I'm tired but I want to come along with Kevin." Kristin went ahead. "Where are Shaira and Nick?" She walked towards the living room but no one's there. She went to the kitchen and found the couple there, talking quietly. "Oh…"



Shaira stood up, taking one last look to her husband and then to Kristin. "Kris, you're here? Did Kevin know?"



"She just tagged along with me," Kevin said, appearing at the kitchen doorway. "Nick…"



Nick was already standing behind Shaira and looking at them. "That's Kevin and Kristin, my brother and his wife." Shaira said. "He has amnesia." She simply explained.



"Where have you been? Are you alright?" Kevin asked as he placed a hand on Nick's shoulder. There was a hint of a concerned look on his face. Nick felt the genuine gesture. Shaira's older brother turned to his sister. "How did you find him?"



"We found each other," Nick replied.



Kevin opened his mouth in surprise. He shakes his head. "Nick, what did Errol told you?" It was Nick who then, turned in surprise at him.



"How did you know that I'm with my brother?" Nick stepped back. Everyone is looking at him now.



"It so happens that I came across into overhearing my cousin, Romina," Kevin casts a side glance to Shaira before he continued, "demanding our grandfather to be the owner of the hotel company, as well as sharing the knowledge that Nick now owned majority of the shares, in behalf of his twin brother, Errol Henstridge." He sits on the available stool in the kitchen as everyone listened, including Nick. "I assumed that Nick is still alive based on what Romina is telling grandpa. I came to think that you're probably in trouble that's why you haven't showed up. We've been looking for you, Nick, and we never thought that the man who offered a big investment in the company is actually your twin brother. We thought that you're an orphan. Then I realized that all of these have been a game that grandpa and Errol have been playing for a long time now. Errol coerced grandpa into letting Shaira marry Nick, so that he can get the easier access to own majority of the company's shares. And I found out that the company was in danger of bankruptcy that grandpa had no other choice but to seek help to the likes of Errol Henstridge, who were more than willing to help. Have you been with him for a long time now, Nick?"



"I woke up in a bed after the accident remembering nothing. I wasn't able to walk and talk then. He told me that he's my twin brother in which I believe. You just have to feel it when he's related to you. He helped me get through my therapy." Nick replied. His hand instantly went to grasp his head. Pain shot through him once again. "This is confusing. Who should I believe, you or my brother?"



"Yourself." Shaira replied. Nick looked at her. "I don't want to think that your own brother is brainwashing you and telling you lies about me, or about our relationship. In your own mind and heart, you know the truth. If you just look within, you'll find the truth that you're looking for. You know the truth. You are just refusing to accept it."
TWENTY FIVE by scarlett
Author's Notes:
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Kevin and Kristin fortunately found a way to get a flight to LA and met Nick again. They talked about what happened to him and what is Errol's possible plans to get him away from his wife. Nick is getting confused.
CHAPTER 25





Nick shakes his head, trying to ignore his impending headache. He grabbed his jacket. "I have to go." He quickly walked passed them. Shaira followed behind.



"Nick…"



"I need space to think about it, Shaira. I'm confused." Nick said as he continued on his way but he stopped when he reached the door. "I'm sorry, Shaira. I told you earlier that I should stay with you but I think I need some time alone for now."



"Don't leave, please." Shaira cried. She followed her husband out of the house. The others quickly followed behind, watching them. "Nick, I love you. Let me help you." Shaira grabbed his arm and held him back.



"Let go of me, Shaira. This is good for both of us. I need some time alone to think about everything." He turned to her. There's a smile on his face but there are also tears trailing down his cheeks. He cupped her face and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "This is hard for me, too."



"Shaira…" Kevin called for his sister. They watched as Shaira let go of Nick's arm and her husband walked away. Kevin went to pull her sister to him and embraced her. Shaira just kept on crying, never knowing when will this nightmare end.





~~~







Daphne arranged her sunglasses as she watched Shaira walking with her pregnant sister-in-law across the street towards her best friend's boutique in downtown LA. Where is Nick? Since he left, Daphne never heard of him. Errol was always out, too, trying to look for Nick as well. The man just disappeared and no one knew his whereabouts. Daphne wanted to see Nick and in just a short time of being with him, she was drawn into his irresistible charm and wanted to meet this woman of whom she knew is Nick's wife. Now that she saw Shaira, it's no wonder why Nick would never forget even an inch of a memory of her. By the looks of her, Shaira seemed to be a wonderful woman. Daphne felt that. And Shaira is a lucky woman to have Nick.



Daphne was just caught in a trap at the time when her own father gave her up for a poker game. Her father lost so much in one night but Errol had ways to lure him into playing, at least one last time. Another game was played but this time, she was placed in a situation she had no choice. Errol won the last round and Daphne was obligated to follow what he wanted. Daphne had known Errol since they were young and she didn't like the man that he had become. He became ruthless, coldhearted and selfish. When he told her that she needs to marry his twin brother, she protested. But Errol reminded her that if she didn't do what he wanted her to do, he'll do something to her father and to their family that she might regret. Daphne saw the evil glint in his eyes at that moment. Daphne had no choice but to follow. He won her on the poker game anyway. He owned her.



She walked across the street towards the line of boutiques. She wanted to meet Nick's wife, get to know the person that is Shaira. Without any second thought, she walked inside. She needs to do this, if not for her, for Shaira's sake. She could feel that Errol is planning something for Nick. He is crazy when he confessed that he only wanted his twin brother for himself and no one is going to separate them again. A sane man wouldn't like that for his own brother.



"Excuse me, hi," Daphne started as soon as she gets near the two women. The pregnant woman looked at her with her wide smile. She heard that Shaira's sister-in-law is a cheerful and kind woman. Shaira, on the other hand, turned to her with a questioning and recognizing look.



"Yes?" It was Kristin.



"My name is Daphne. I came here to talk with you, Shaira." She looked at the other woman eye to eye. "It's about Nick."



Shaira looked at Kristin then back to her. "I believe we need to go to a place where we can talk nicely. How about having lunch with us?" Kristin asked.



"That would be fine." Daphne smiled. "Don't worry, Shaira. I'm a friend."



They ended up in a restaurant who serves Italian food, which reminded Shaira of Nick once again. She fought herself from crying again. "What is it that you want to talk about with me, Daphne? You're the woman I saw the last time with Nick."



Daphne drinks her glass of water first before replying. "You already knew that he was with Errol Henstridge. Errol is his twin brother, fraternal twin brother. They don't exactly look alike but DNA tests proved that they are blood-related. I'm a witness to that." She saw the two looked at her with full intent. Yes, she caught their attention. "When Errol found his brother, I was in a grave situation at that time when I had no choice but to follow what Errol wanted me to do. My father gave up on me in a poker game." She said it nonchalantly but deep inside, thinking about it still hurts. She hates her father for that. "Errol ordered me to marry Nick, taking advantage of the fact that he's in amnesia and couldn't remember that he's already married. I'm sorry, Shaira, for putting him in that position but you must also know that Nick cancelled our wedding because he is confused. I know that. He kept on remembering a woman with brown hair and a charming smile. I heard him say that before. He may have amnesia but his heart will never forget you."



Shaira bit her lower lip. "I don't know what to say. He walked away from me from the last time we talked." She blinked twice to keep the tears from falling.



"He went to you? He found you?" Daphne asked softly. "He didn't go home to his brother's house. He's been missing for days."



"So, what brings you here?" Kristin asked Daphne as she placed a hand over her sister-in-law's.



Daphne sighed. "You may be wondering why I'm doing this but I came to tell you to be careful with Errol. He's crazy and he just wanted his twin by himself. He planned the incident in Australia, to take away from the life he got used to. The crew in that boat was his hired men. It's a bonus that when Nick almost got drowned, he lost his memory. That makes things easier for Errol but now that Nick is missing and things seem to get out of hand, he is going to take his brother away for good. He secured his brother's future life by being a major stockholder in your grandfather's company, even more when he married you. Nick is now one of the owners of the Chrysler Hotels. Errol wanted a new life for Nick, away from the life he used to and a new life with his brother here in LA." Daphne said. "With Nick missing, I'm sure Errol planned something to get rid of the people who are blocking his way, including you, Shaira. I came here to warn you. Be careful."



"We need to warn Nick, too." Shaira said.



"But we don't know where he is." Kristin said. The three women looked at each other. Daphne bit her lower lip, hoping that she did the right thing now. She wanted to be free from Errol and his evil schemes. He can be very dangerous and she doesn't want to be part of any of it. She wanted to live in peace.
TWENTY SIX by scarlett
Author's Notes:
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Nick decided to wander off and clear his confused mind. He wanted to believe SHaira and he wanted to remember everything that he doesn't even know what to do.
MEanwhile, Daphne have been observing Shaira for days and decided to tell her about Errol's plans.
CHAPTER 26





Kevin walked towards his grandfather's office, ready for a confrontation with regards to the recent happenings. He just came from the airport and he wanted to finish this ordeal soon. Nick didn't come back which saddened his sister more. Shaira is scouring almost the entire Los Angeles to look for her husband.



He was nearing the office when he heard a noise coming from it. His walk became a run as he immediately went in and found his grandfather lying on the floor. A broken piece of wine goblet is within the distance. "Grandpa!"



Marc arrived running as well and saw his cousin. "Kevin! What happened?"



"I don't know. I just heard a noise and hurried inside." Kevin and Marc helped each other in carrying their grandfather. Lucas' secretary, who just came from the other department, immediately ordered a driver to take his boss to the hospital. "What could have happened?" Kevin wondered.



He and Marc were silently worried as they rode their way towards the hospital. Lucas is still unconscious. His pulse is weak. When they reached the hospital, there were medics who immediately took their grandfather from them. Kevin glanced to his cousin, putting a light pat on his shoulder.



"No matter how bad he is, he's still our grandfather, Kev." Marc said.



"I know." Kevin sighed. They reached the emergency room and waited outside. Later, some of their officemates arrived to know what happened to the CEO of the company.





~~~





Errol tossed the newspaper aside after he finished reading it. Lucas had liver cancer and dying. He didn't see it coming but he's glad that fate intervened and did what he should have done. The next thing he needs to worry about is to find Nick. His brother has been missing for days. He found where Shaira lives and after watching over her for a couple days, he realized that she's looking for Nick too. Where in the hell is Nick?



He went to pour brandy on his wine goblet. As a brother, he hoped that nothing wrong has happened to him. He's maybe full of evil plans for Nick's in-laws but he still had remaining caring bones in his body. He still cares for his twin. Nick is in amnesia. He doesn't have much money to eat or to check-in to some hotel. Where could he be now? Frustrated, he drank the brandy straight to the last drop then threw the goblet against the wall – shattering it into smaller pieces.



"You don't have to do that."



Errol turned and saw Nick standing by the door. "Nick!"



Nick raised his hand to stop him when Errol tried to walk towards him. "You got some explaining to do, twin brother."



"Huh?"



Nick raised an eyebrow. He casually walked towards the brandy and poured some for himself. He stared at the wine goblet first before drinking the wine. "Knowing that you're my twin brother is overwhelming because as you know, I never had a family. Knowing that you gave me the power to be the major shareholder in an international company is a blessing because as you know, I don't have much. Let me rephrase that. I don't have anything besides my wife." He grinned as he drinks the last drop of his wine and Errol just stood there, watching him.



"Knowing that you saved me from the accident is another blessing because as you know, I need my life. But knowing now that you brainwashed me to turn against my wife," he threw the glass against the wall, which caught Errol by surprise, "is bullshit!" He was instantly in front of Errol, grabbing him by his collar. "Did you ever realize how it hurts me, my own brother brainwashing me and trying to marry me off to another woman?" His voice boomed within the confines of the room. Errol had never seen him this angry before. Nick's face is red with fury.



"Stop this, Nick! What are you saying?"



Nick punched him hard on the face. Errol fell down the floor, holding the part that hurts. "It hurts, isn't it?" he walked around his brother. He kicked him hard on the stomach. "That's how I feel right now! How could you do these things to me?" Nick couldn't get enough yet as he picked up his brother from the floor but Errol pushed him away. Nick didn't let go of his twin as his hands went to Errol's neck. His twin hit him in the stomach and pushed him down to the floor. Nick twisted in pain.



"Alright, I admit. I brainwashed you. I want a better life for you, Nick." Errol panted as he watched his brother slowly stood up. He wipes off the blood from the corner of his mouth as a result of Nick's hard punch.



"My life is with Shaira. There's nothing better than that!" Nick coughed as he looked at his brother. "Damn, Errol!" He drew a deep breath. "I'm married and I have my own life now. You could, at least, be happy for me. And forget the past and get on with your life. There's nothing better than starting it off with forgiveness. Lucas is dying. Let the fate do that for you."



They stared at each other for a long time.
TWENTY SEVEN by scarlett
Author's Notes:
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Lucas was diagnosed with liver cancer and his grandchildren found out that he's already dying. It also reached Errol's knowledge and was glad that the turnabout of events saved him from his plans for Lucas and his family. His remaining concern now is Nick who surprisingly came into his office and confronted him. Apparently, it seems like Nick could remember now and he is angry at his brother for doing things that may ruin his marriage with his wife.
CHAPTER 27





Lucas opened his eyes and looked around the room. He never knew what happened to him after feeling pain in his body. Right now, he knew that he's in a hospital room somewhere in the metropolis. No one's there but him. It didn't surprise him though. He knew that he's never a good man. He made several enemies in the past and he will not expect anyone caring to visit him in this time of his life.



He didn't even bother telling his family about his sickness, or that he's going to die soon. He already arranged the necessary legal documents to his lawyers. That's all they want anyway: their inheritance.



The door opened and the first thing he saw is the bunch of flowers. He frowned. He saw Shaira coming inside, followed by her brother, Kevin, and his wife, and Marc. "There's no need to do that. I'm dying and I already arranged your inheritance. I already finalized the will to my lawyers. Whatever you do, it will never change."



"You're always a cold man. I couldn't imagine grandma lived her life with you." Shaira said as she sets the basket of flowers at the bedside table.



Lucas snorted. "You're very ungrateful, Shaira, after all that I've done for you."



"I didn't go here to argue with you. I have so much respect for the dying. And you've never done anything for me." Shaira said and went to stand by the window, switching to silent mode as she lets her brother and cousin talk to him. She wanted to see her grandfather and still hoping that they will come into good terms even before he dies. But it seems like nothing would change at all.



"I don't know what to say," Kevin started. "I mean, we just came here to see how you are doing, hoping that you're okay, but you still haven't changed."



"That's what we are hoping for, grandpa." Mark added. "As your grandchildren, we love you. We're family, that's why we are here. We care for you."



"Get the hell out of here. My will has been already made."



Kevin frowned, his jaws clenched. "Grandpa, this is not about what we'll get from you when you die. This is about family concern but it seems like you don't want it then. Fine." He takes his wife's hand. "We're leaving. Shaira..." His sister looked at Lucas for the last time and then followed him out of the room.



Marc looked at his grandfather from head to foot. "It's not a surprise if you will die alone, grandpa. It's a pity that you chose to be like this. Goodbye." He walked out of the room. He saw his cousins at the hall waiting for him. "It's hopeless, Kev."



"We've done what we could but we just can't let him die alone." Kevin said.



"I'm not staying." Shaira announced. "I must go back to LA and continue looking for Nick. I won't stay here and wait for grandpa anymore. My life is ruined because of him."



"Shaira…" Kevin tried to stop her.



"Just imagine yourself living without Kris, Kevin, and you will understand me." Shaira said and walked away.



~~~





Daphne stopped on her tracks when she saw Nick standing at her front porch, his arms on his pockets. He just looked at her, waiting for her to reach the place where he is standing. When they finally stood face to face, Nick dragged her with a look from head to feet. "Who are you?"



"Uh, Nick…"



"Errol didn't tell me about the person I was about to marry."



"You went to Errol?"



Nick frowned. "I'm asking you. Who are you?"



Daphne bit her lower lip as fear engulfed her upon seeing the anger in Nick's eyes. She's more scared of Errol's twin. She never saw this side of Nick thus she doesn't know what to do. She slowly stepped back. "My name is Daphne and I've known Errol since childhood. I only agreed on his idea of marrying you because I don't have any choice. He won me on a poker game after my father placed me on his bet when he already had nothing. I'm so sorry, Nick." Tears streamed down her face.



Nick nodded. "That's just all I wanted to hear." His voice is calm now. "Thank you. I believe you." He reached out to hug her, which surprised Daphne.



"What happened with Errol?"



Nick shrugged. "After telling him to back off, I don't care about him anymore. But if he'll come to make amends, I'll give him another chance. After all, he is my twin brother. But if he will come to destroy my wife's life or any one in her family, I will stop at nothing to get him to where he belongs. I'm going to forget that he's my twin brother."



"Shaira is looking all over the place for you." Daphne told him.



"I know."



"Why don't you go to her now?"



There was a moment of silence. Nick didn't want to reply on that. He kissed Daphne on the cheeks. "Goodbye, Daphne." And with that, he turned to walk away. When Daphne called him back, he slowly turned to her.



"I wish you well, Nick. You seemed to have your memory back. I hope you'll get the courage to go back to your wife and start a new life. You're a good man. You deserved to be happy." Daphne said. Nick only nodded and then continued on his way.



~~~





Errol looked up to his grandfather and smiled. They were silent for a long while. They couldn't find any right words to start with. Errol stood up and went to his grandfather. He hugged the older man. "I'm sorry, grandpa. I've done a lot of bad things, even the fact that I put my own brother in danger because of my anger."



Harold sighed and nodded. "I'm glad that you realized that everything is wrong, Errol. It hurts me to see you turn into like that."



Errol quickly wiped a tear. "Nick made me realize it. After beating me a number of times and talked the sense out from me, I realized how he really cared a lot for me as his brother. I felt so touched. I'm so glad that I found my brother and I should cherish it. I realize how important he is to me and I don't want to lose him again."



"So, what are you planning to do now?"



"I'll take some time off from work for a while. I'm going to Europe where I can probably search for myself, what I really want. I realize that for all these years, I just really don't know myself and what I really want. For now, I need peace." Errol drew a deep breath.



"Are you going to tell Nick about this?"



"Does he still want to see me after all I've done to him and his wife?"



Harold stared at his grandson. He can now see the change in Errol by the look on his face. His face brightened and gone were the hatred. "I believe that Nick longed for his own family and he's also glad that you found him. He loves you as his brother. He only did what he could to make you realize and wake up from your own nightmare."



Errol nodded. "I realize that, grandpa. I guess that before I leave, I have to see him and Shaira first to apologize for everything I've done."
TWENTY EIGHT by scarlett
Author's Notes:
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Lucas was diagnosed with liver cancer and his grandchildren came to visit him. But thinking that they all just wanted his wealth, he told them to leave him and that his last will has already been made for them. Kevin and Marc wanted to stay for Lucas but Shaira gave up on him. She wanted to go back to LA to continue looking for Nick, who still hadn't shown up.
Meanwhile, Daphne got a surprise visit from Nick and wasn't able to react upon seeing the real Nick ? the one who had his memory back. Nick only came to ask her about who she is and her relationship with Errol. After that, he immediately left.

Errol decided to leave the country and give himself a time to reevaluate his life. Nick convinced him to forgive and forget and he thinks that his twin is right. His brother is more important to him than anyone else and so, he chose to start on a clean slate and revitalize his relationship with his brother.
CHAPTER 28


Shaira watched as her grandfather's coffin is being lowered down the ground. Lucas died after a week in the hospital. His body gave up from the complications of his liver cancer. Meanwhile, they also learned through Kevin that Romina is not a real Chrysler after all. She made a scene in Lucas' hospital suite, demanding up to the last minute to give to her the control over the company. But Lucas clearly told her that she has no right over the matter because she's not the real granddaughter.



With her frustration, Romina grabbed Shaira and tried to hurt her. As the others quickly stopped her, Kevin ordered for her arrest and filed a lawsuit against her for attempting to hurt his sister. It seems like it was the start of many firsts for Romina. There were other criminal charges followed based on her debts and misdemeanors. She's going to stay inside prison longer than anyone expected.



Shaira remained standing by her grandfather's grave as she takes one last look on it. She can feel total freedom. She actually felt guilty that she was only half-sad about this. She prayed for a peaceful rest for Lucas but in her heart, she knows that she won't be having problems to cope up with the loss. Lucas made her that way and that's the sad part.



Shaira felt an arm going around her shoulders and looked up to see Marc. She looked up to her cousin as another older brother. He's been a very good man and she wished that he finds his own happiness soon. "How are you, Shaira?" Marc asked her.



"I'm fine. Grandpa may have been the coldest man I've ever known but I still love him. After all, he's our kin." Shaira hugged Marc. "How about you? How's the future CEO?"



"I never thought of it that way, Shaira. It takes a lot of responsibility." Marc smiled. "Grandpa left us a lot to take care of. I wish you can help me and Kevin handle all of that."



"I'll be here to help." Shaira sighed. She looked down when her tears came again.



Marc saw his cousin pausing for a while. "You're thinking about Nick." Shaira didn't deny it and nodded. Marc looked over her shoulder and nodded to someone. With a smile, he took his cousin's shoulders and spun her around. "There's your husband. He came here for you."



"Oh…" Shaira's tears instantly fell down her cheeks when she saw Nick walking towards them. Marc hugged her before walking away. Kevin greeted Nick with a nod as he and Kristin watched him approached Shaira. He surprised her when he knelt down in front of her. "Stand up, Nick. Why are you kneeling?"



"I'm sorry for leaving you."



Shaira knelt down in front of him. "You don't have to do this drama, Nick. You know me enough that I love you and I can never be mad at you." Nick wiped her tears and hugged her.



"I'm not going to make you cry again, Shaira. After taking my time alone and sorted out all the things that confuse me, I tried hard to gain back my memory. I remember everything now. I will never leave you again." Nick tightened his embrace on her. "I love you."



"Oh my God," Shaira leaned closer to his chest. "It feels so good to be back in your arms."



Nick kissed her on the forehead. They sat together on the soft grass, never minding that the people who attended the internment were passing by them and giving them curious looks. "Yeah, it feels so good. I felt so free. I am so happy." Nick whispered to her. Shaira only nuzzled to his neck in reply. "Let's now start our life together, Shaira. I've been looking forward to this day."



"I missed you, darling." Shaira softly said.



"I missed you more." Nick's fingers tilted her head up to him and kiss her on the lips.





~~~





"What's this?" Nick chuckled when he looked inside the backpack that Shaira told him to carry. He saw his photography stuff inside. "I told you that I won't be working while we're on our honeymoon."



Shaira reached out to kiss him on the lips, in which Nick graciously granted. "I know but I want to capture every moment of it, just in case you lost your memory again." She affectionately tapped the tip of his nose.



"Oh yeah, okay." Nick kissed her again. After a month since Lucas' funeral, the couple is going to the Caribbean to pursue with their honeymoon – courtesy of Kevin and Kristin. But before that, they arranged some important things first like finding a house where they can make a new start. Shaira returned to be one of the chefs in the hotel's restaurant as well as part of the management of the Chrysler Company. Nick was given another offer as a photographer and he was able to find a partnership with Brian who will help him in building a studio. He and Shaira also managed to get a school where they can sponsor children with their education. They have been busy and Kevin and Kristin decided to present them the honeymoon gift.



"You know, you have lots of time to do that when you reached the islands." Kevin said, rolling his eyes and interrupting the two before their heated kiss could turn into something more. These two can never be apart. Wherever Nick is, Shaira is there with him. Oftentimes, Nick is found inside the restaurant's kitchen as well. Sometimes, they are wearing the same kind of shirt. Kevin has never seen such couple who couldn't get enough of each other but he couldn't blame them.



"Why wait when you can do it along the way?" Shaira naughtily replied her brother. Nick chuckled. "Isn't that right, honey?" Her husband only nodded.



"Excuse me," somebody said. Nick instantly recognized that voice and held tight on his wife as he faced Errol. He placed Shaira behind him. "I came in peace." His brother said.



Errol cleared his throat as everyone looked at him, especially Kevin who gave him an intimidating look. He knew how Kevin can be overprotective of his sister.



"What do you want?" It was Nick.



"I just came from Europe when I found out that you're on your way to your honeymoon today." Errol tried to smile but he received nothing in return. "I, uh, wanted to apologize for everything wrong that I've done although I must say that it's not enough to make up for everything. I went to Europe to clear up my head, find myself and contemplate on my life. I realized that Nick is very important person to me and I shouldn't have done things to hurt him and his loved ones. I hope you can forgive me, Nick." Errol met his brother's look.



He gets something from his laptop bag as the rest watched him. He gives an envelope to Nick. "This is yours. It's the documents pertaining to the shares you owned in the company. I'm giving it to you. I don't have anything to hold on to it anymore."



Shaira looked from Errol to Nick. This is the first time she saw the two standing face to face. They had similar features but through the course of looking at them, they don't really look alike. But that must be the fraternal twins is all about. Nick is blonde while Errol is dark-haired. They are of the same height too.



Nick extended his hand to his brother which surprised Errol. "Let's start on a clean slate. How about that?"



Errol looked at his twin, eyes blurred with tears. A tear fell as he reached out to shake his brother's hand. Nick gives him an assuring smile as he pulled him into a hug. Shaira looked on with pride to her husband, who was able to forgive his brother. Kevin patted the two men on the shoulders, happy to witness what has just transpired.



"Thank you," Errol said as he looked at Nick. "And mushy as it seems," they chuckled, "I'd like you to know that I love you." He bit his lower lip.



Nick nodded. "Same here, Errol. I love you, twin brother."
Epilogue by scarlett
EPILOGUE


Shaira savored the moment while Nick is sleeping beside her. Her fingers trailed the smoothness of his face and she brushed aside the strands of hair that fall off in his face. He looked so peaceful and angelic when he's sleeping. Shaira can look at him forever. She placed a light kiss on Nick's forehead before lying back on the bed, snuggling close to her husband. Her arms went around Nick, inhaling his masculine scent and sighed. They have gone through a lot and she's glad that in the end, they are still together – their love is going stronger than ever.


She felt Nick's arms taking her closer to his body. He kissed the top of her head and whispered 'I love you.'


Nick heard her sniffed. "Are you crying, sweetheart? Is there anything wrong?"


Shaira shakes her head. "I'm just happy that I'm here with you, forever." She looked up and met his piercing blue eyes. "I know that we'll encounter more problems as life goes on but I'm glad that you're here with me. Whatever happens, I'm glad that you're beside me. I've been very blessed to have you as my husband."


"Oh, Shaira. The same goes with me." Nick reached out to kiss her. He moaned when the kiss went deeper and his wife positioned herself on top of him. His arms wrapped around her pulled her closer to his naked body. "I love you and whatever happens, we'll talk about it. We will be a team and we will work everything out. Nothing's going to stand our way."


"I love you, Nick." Shaira pressed herself more as they kissed again. "Speaking of teams, how about an additional member?"


Her husband gave her a quizzical look.


Shaira leaned closer and whispered to his ear. "You're going to be a father soon, Nick."


Nick's eyes widened at the dawn of the news. He smiled even wider. "That's wonderful, sweetheart. Oh, thank you. Thank you for this blessing of a family with me." He couldn't help but be emotional as tears fell. God has been always with him. He's been through losing his parents and Shaira before but Nick still feel blessed in the end. He found his way back to Shaira and he also had Errol, his twin brother. Life is not perfect but Nick is looking forward to every single day, may it be through joy or pain but, always thanking God for the wonderful life he is having.


"Thank you too. Hey," Shaira noticed it and wiped away her husband's tears. "I'm here and I love you. I know how you've gone through a lot and you deserve treats like this." She smiled.


"I'm just too happy. Life is great. I love you, Shaira." Nick showered his wife with kisses on the face as he changed positions and had her lying on her back. His lips found hers and nothing else could be better than to feel a lover's touch at that moment of celebration. It's been a nice journey from the first day he found that kind of love with Shaira, lost it and then had it back once and again.


And this time, the love is going to be forever.



THE END





PREVIEW ON NEXT FANFIC...Against All Odds
He is the youngest and the most popular member of the famous group, the Backstreet Boys. Nick Carter is about to face a big change and will discover a big secret that will affect— and endanger his life. He met a wonderful woman of whom he would like to convince that he loves her and will fight for her against all odds. (My first fanfic that is not an Alternate Universe. But this is not the usual BSB story)


"Where do we go from here?" Nick asked with a smile and scratched his head. They decided to take a stroll in Hyde Park. Nick is oblivious to the attention he was getting from some females who might have wondered if he is an actor or what. No matter how much he hides it, he is an attractive man. Anyone who is a member of the female specie might probably take a second glance at him.

"I don't want to eat. I had enough of that breakfast at the hotel." AJ laughed.

Nick smiled. "So, how about if we go castle-hopping here. There's so much of it here in London alone and we can mark it as an activity for day one," He suggested as they turned to a bench and sat down.

"I've thought of it. I love these pieces of history. I'll take note of that." Howie said, as he takes a look at the brochures in front of him. He sneaked a bunch of it from the hotel's front desk earlier as they were about to walk out. The woman at the reception could only smile after Howie gave her a wink. They consulted a travel counselor back in the US but only for the plane tickets and hotel accommodations because they decided to tour on their own. And so now, they were wondering where to go. When they usually go to London or anywhere in Europe, the management company or their PR staff was usually the one who takes care of their tour itinerary. This time, they wanted to try something different.

"You know, Nick, you could very well be a travel counselor instead of a Da Vinci wannabe." AJ remarked as he started his first smoke of the day.

Nick was about to reply when he saw the woman he bumped into at the airport yesterday. She is walking with an older woman with her. Realizing that this is his chance to get to know her, he stood up without saying a word to AJ and Howie and approached the woman. "Hi. You're the same woman we've met at the airport yesterday, aren't you?" He asked.

The two were surprised by his approach. The older woman smiled at him, while the other one just looked at him. "Yes," she said softly, as if mesmerized. "Uh, by the way, this is my mother, Alice." She said with a nervous laugh.

Nick shook hands with the woman's mother then turned back to her. "And may I know your name too, ma'am?"

"Her name's Victoria," Alice said. "I think I saw you once in LA, or in the telly. You used to go out with this blonde lady. What's her name again?" She turned to her daughter. "Your face is familiar though. I think I saw you passed by me once when you visited another young man – tall, broad shoulders, huge eyebrows…"

With that, Nick grinned. "That's Kevin, one of our friends. He lives there with his wife." He said, ignoring her first recall. She's talking about Paris.

"Oh, yes. Kevin Richardson, now I remember. His environment-friendly house inspired us to do the same with ours." Alice said. "He toured me once when he and his wife had a party. You're the Backstreet Boys?"

Nick nodded. "If I visit Kevin's place some time, I hope I'll be very welcome in your home as well." He charmingly smiled then turned once again to Victoria. Just then, AJ and Howie came behind Nick. Alice is so enthusiastic to meet them too and introduced herself. Victoria wanted to laugh at her mother's pleasing attitude and to the private life she's truly enjoying but cannot. Nick's presence is making her speechless and nervous. Based from her best friend's devotion to these guys, she became aware on how much media these men can easily attract. She consciously looked around for paparazzi but there's none. 'Stop being paranoid, Victoria,' she silently thought.

"May I invite both of you to a lunch later?" Nick asked the two women after the introductions with AJ and Howie have been made.

"Alright," Alice said immediately. Victoria just smiled although she already wanted to pull her Mom from there some minutes ago.

"Thank you, Ma'am." Nick couldn't help himself and hugged Alice. The elder woman laughed amusingly while Victoria just smiled and shook her head in vulnerable awkwardness and somehow, embarrassment from her Mom's over-zealous attitude. Nick began telling them about having lunch at the hotel they were staying at. The two women knew about the hotel and they agreed to meet up later. When the two left, Nick was still following Victoria with his look. AJ had to nudge his friend just to get Nick's attention.

"Do you like her?"

"Absolutely." Nick replied. "There's something about her that's different and intrigues me at the same time."

"Will you go on a fling with her?"

Nick immediately shook his head. "There are women whom you'd like to jump in to the bed with, and there are ladies whom you wanted to take home to Mom. Victoria can be the former but she is absolutely a candidate for the latter." AJ smiled. He's seeing now the different side of Nick. His brother is now all grown up. He only hoped that he learned a lesson from his relationships in the past, and that will be a good thing.



Next Fanfic after ONCE & AGAIN

Feedbacks are highly appreciated. You may check for the story on my website, http://geocities.com/aosfiction
Thanks, Crislyn
Next Fanfic by scarlett



PREVIEW ON NEXT FANFIC...Against All Odds
He is the youngest and the most popular member of the famous group, the Backstreet Boys. Nick Carter is about to face a big change and will discover a big secret that will affect— and endanger his life. He met a wonderful woman of whom he would like to convince that he loves her and will fight for her against all odds. (My first fanfic that is not an Alternate Universe. But this is not the usual BSB story)


"Where do we go from here?" Nick asked with a smile and scratched his head. They decided to take a stroll in Hyde Park. Nick is oblivious to the attention he was getting from some females who might have wondered if he is an actor or what. No matter how much he hides it, he is an attractive man. Anyone who is a member of the female specie might probably take a second glance at him.

"I don't want to eat. I had enough of that breakfast at the hotel." AJ laughed.

Nick smiled. "So, how about if we go castle-hopping here. There's so much of it here in London alone and we can mark it as an activity for day one," He suggested as they turned to a bench and sat down.

"I've thought of it. I love these pieces of history. I'll take note of that." Howie said, as he takes a look at the brochures in front of him. He sneaked a bunch of it from the hotel's front desk earlier as they were about to walk out. The woman at the reception could only smile after Howie gave her a wink. They consulted a travel counselor back in the US but only for the plane tickets and hotel accommodations because they decided to tour on their own. And so now, they were wondering where to go. When they usually go to London or anywhere in Europe, the management company or their PR staff was usually the one who takes care of their tour itinerary. This time, they wanted to try something different.

"You know, Nick, you could very well be a travel counselor instead of a Da Vinci wannabe." AJ remarked as he started his first smoke of the day.

Nick was about to reply when he saw the woman he bumped into at the airport yesterday. She is walking with an older woman with her. Realizing that this is his chance to get to know her, he stood up without saying a word to AJ and Howie and approached the woman. "Hi. You're the same woman we've met at the airport yesterday, aren't you?" He asked.

The two were surprised by his approach. The older woman smiled at him, while the other one just looked at him. "Yes," she said softly, as if mesmerized. "Uh, by the way, this is my mother, Alice." She said with a nervous laugh.

Nick shook hands with the woman's mother then turned back to her. "And may I know your name too, ma'am?"

"Her name's Victoria," Alice said. "I think I saw you once in LA, or in the telly. You used to go out with this blonde lady. What's her name again?" She turned to her daughter. "Your face is familiar though. I think I saw you passed by me once when you visited another young man – tall, broad shoulders, huge eyebrows…"

With that, Nick grinned. "That's Kevin, one of our friends. He lives there with his wife." He said, ignoring her first recall. She's talking about Paris.

"Oh, yes. Kevin Richardson, now I remember. His environment-friendly house inspired us to do the same with ours." Alice said. "He toured me once when he and his wife had a party. You're the Backstreet Boys?"

Nick nodded. "If I visit Kevin's place some time, I hope I'll be very welcome in your home as well." He charmingly smiled then turned once again to Victoria. Just then, AJ and Howie came behind Nick. Alice is so enthusiastic to meet them too and introduced herself. Victoria wanted to laugh at her mother's pleasing attitude and to the private life she's truly enjoying but cannot. Nick's presence is making her speechless and nervous. Based from her best friend's devotion to these guys, she became aware on how much media these men can easily attract. She consciously looked around for paparazzi but there's none. 'Stop being paranoid, Victoria,' she silently thought.

"May I invite both of you to a lunch later?" Nick asked the two women after the introductions with AJ and Howie have been made.

"Alright," Alice said immediately. Victoria just smiled although she already wanted to pull her Mom from there some minutes ago.

"Thank you, Ma'am." Nick couldn't help himself and hugged Alice. The elder woman laughed amusingly while Victoria just smiled and shook her head in vulnerable awkwardness and somehow, embarrassment from her Mom's over-zealous attitude. Nick began telling them about having lunch at the hotel they were staying at. The two women knew about the hotel and they agreed to meet up later. When the two left, Nick was still following Victoria with his look. AJ had to nudge his friend just to get Nick's attention.

"Do you like her?"

"Absolutely." Nick replied. "There's something about her that's different and intrigues me at the same time."

"Will you go on a fling with her?"

Nick immediately shook his head. "There are women whom you'd like to jump in to the bed with, and there are ladies whom you wanted to take home to Mom. Victoria can be the former but she is absolutely a candidate for the latter." AJ smiled. He's seeing now the different side of Nick. His brother is now all grown up. He only hoped that he learned a lesson from his relationships in the past, and that will be a good thing.



Next Fanfic after ONCE & AGAIN

Feedbacks are highly appreciated. You may check for the story on my website, http://geocities.com/aosfiction
Thanks, Crislyn
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=6388