Broken Road by Carter
Summary: Kevin has been divored two times before he hit thirty-four. Now he has seemed to have fallen in love with his best friend. Based on the song 'Bless The Broken Road' By Rascal Flatts
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Kevin
Genres: Alternate Universe
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 1921 Read: 2737 Published: 01/30/06 Updated: 01/30/06

1. Part One by Carter

2. Part Two by Carter

3. Part Three by Carter

4. Part Four by Carter

Part One by Carter
I set out on a narrow way
Many years ago
Hoping I would find true love
Along the broken road
But I got lost a time or two
I just whipped my brow
And kept pushing through
I couldn’t see how every sign
Pointed straight to you


I walked out of my apartment in up state New York. I had just worked a long day and I was tired and hungry but I didn’t feel like really making anything. After all I am a bachelor yet once again. You see I have been married twice now my first wife I thought I was in love she my high school sweetheart and everything was going to be ok. But that ended in disaster after our son, Michael, was born…she felt like I was always cheating and what not, that at which I never did. Now I am lucky is I get to see him for Christmas all I am asking is once a year, but I guess that is even too much to ask these days. Then a year later I was married to my second wife. Again, I thought this would end up all happy, boy was I wrong again! I didn’t exactly know what I was getting myself into at the time. It turned out she was a 17 year old she told me she was 24. Big mistake there so now I am 32 been divorced two times what a wonderful like for me huh?


I have been out dating around but you know what’s the point? None and I mean none of my dates ever go well. They all are so boring or maybe I am just a boring person? I could even be getting old. I hate that word o-l-d who came up with that word anyway? But the dating world just sucks for me. But I always seem to find a way to go back out there and do it all again.


I walked into the corner Starbucks my best friend Leah just happened to be working. She always gave me the discount when she isn’t supposed too…. I feel special.


”Hey there Kev how you doin today?”


”Could be better. But I am tired”


”I sorry”


”Not your fault you know” Leah started playing around with her hair was she starting to flirt with me? I can’t tell anymore.


”Yeah, I know.” She smiled,” So are you going to have your usual today or something stronger?” she asked.


”My usual please. I am not that tired thank you”


”You sure? Cause you just sounded like don’t bother me I had a sucky ass day at work.”


”Don’t I always have a shitty day at work?”


”True”


”hey what time do you get off work? Maybe we can go and get a bite to eat or something?” she raised her eyebrow and then looked at the clock then looked back at me.


”I am off in like 30 minutes if you want to stick around”


”Why not? Like I have anything else better to day today” she just grinned. But if I didn’t know better myself I’d say I was just flirting with my best friend was I not? This is still going to take some time to get used to again. But my best friend? I don’t know about this.

Part Two by Carter
And every long lost dream
Led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart
They’re like northern stars
Pointing me on my way
Into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God bless the broken road
That led me straight to you


You know its funny how thinks work out and you never actually know it? Like the other day out with Leah. We have been friends forever and all the sudden I just felt this whole rush just came over me what if Leah and I were more than just friends? Could that happen? Its more or less could it work?


I have never been able just to sit there and just actually talk to someone without ever getting bored. That dinner made me realize that. We have always been able to talk to one another. But why is it just now coming to me? This could have happened a lot sooner.


For so long I have dreamt about one day meeting someone and just being able to just be ourselves. I have never had any kind of relationship like that with anyone before. To tell you the truth its kind of nice for once. I always have my nosy cousin Brian on my ass about meeting ‘right person’ that’s easy for him to say considering he has been married for five years and has a kid. I am 34 no kids and no wife. What does that say about me? Oh, there is that word again O-L-D! I am beginning to really hate that word.


Maybe the right person has always been in front of me and I just never knew it before this sign could have made my life a whole lot easier. But then again I always have some sort of downfall to look at what if we ‘get together’ and it doesn’t work out? I have to choose whether she would ever be my friend again? This is a hard decision if I want to take this to the next level. She knows me more than I even know about myself so I guess that can be a good thing? All I know is I am quite happy I got divorced twice or I wouldn’t have got into this. Thank you God for the divorces.

Part Three by Carter
I think about the years I spent
Just passing through
I’d like to have the time I’d lost
And give it back to you
But you just smile
Take my hand
You’ve been there you understand
It’s all part of a grander plan
That is coming true


And every long lost dream
Led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart
They were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way
Into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God bless the broken road
That led me straight to you


A few weeks passed and Leah and I have been closer than we have ever been before. Its really weird or I guess to me it is anyway.


Some days I just sit back and think about all the years I spent just passing through life and all the mistakes I have made throughout my life. Neither of my ex-wives compare to Leah why didn’t I just go for her in the first place instead of taking myself down the long torture train of getting married? I guess it was my way of a blonde moment.


I went out for my daily Starbucks run when I saw Leah. She looked amazing as usual serving her customers.


”Hey what time are you off?”


”In like 5 minutes why? Are you taking me out again?”


”No, not at all what gave you that impression?” I smiled. She smiled back.


”You are such a flirt Mr. Richardson but I love you anyway”


”Well, I am glad cause I love you too”


I got my Americano with three extra shots and I sat down this has to be the longest five minutes of my entire life. But where was I going to take her this time? Maybe a walk a long the beach under the moonlight? That’s it!


“Okay Kevin I am off. Now where are you taking me tonight? If I didn’t know better I’d say you like me?” she smiled.


”No, we haven’t hung out like this in a really long time” she just nodded her head. I think she was hoping for a yes. We got into the car and drove down to the docks.


”Kevin are you trying to be Mr. Romantic tonight?”


”No, not at all”


”Stop be sarcastic and just tell me the truth”


”Fine , yes I am trying…is it working?”


”You’ll just have to find out” I parked the car and we both got out of the car and started to walk a long the beach,” This is nice Kevin didn’t you use to do this all the time with what’s- her- name?”


”Yeah, we used to all the time” I looked at her and she smiled and she took my hand she understands where I am coming from,” By the way I am trying to be romantic and I do like you…a lot. I just hope you feel the same way”


“Me too Kevin…you are my best friend I couldn’t ask for more” she reached around and gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek. I think I am going in the right direction this time.

Part Four by Carter
Now I am just rolling home
Into my lovers arms
This much I know is true
That God bless the broken road
That led me straight to you


I pulled into the driveway of my apartment. I was looking forward to today cause I was about to do something out of the ordinary or so I think anyway. I walked up into the apartment and saw Leah in the kitchen.


”Honey I’m home” I set my bag on the floor and went into the kitchen.”Mmm something smells good. What are you cooking for dinner tonight?”


”Well I thought I would cook some steak, fries, and have a nice romantic dinner”


”That sounds really good I cant wait to eat it. And its also my favorite how’d you know?”


”A little birdie told me of course” she smiled and kissed me. I still thank God every day for having Leah in my life. I couldn’t imagine without her in it.


”Smartass”


”I know, but I am loved anyway though right?”


”Of course my dear.”


Dinner was just a few minutes later…this is where my plan is starting.


”Leah you know I love you right?”


”Yeah why…are you breaking up with me?”


”No, never I love you too much to do that. But this is even better. After all I have been there for you and you have been there for me. I couldn’t go on without you. I would be so lost. I guess what I am trying to say is will you marry me?” she looked at me weird but then I pulled out the ring from my pocket.


”Kevin…I will!” I slipped the ring on her finger. I blame my relationships before for making me who I am now. But in all my lost dreams it has finally led me to where I want to be. But I am just glad I have her now. Thank you where ever you are.


Song credit to "Bless The Broken Road" By Rascal Flatts Album: Feels Like Today

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=6724