I Am An Illusion by sweet18_2003
Summary: *Co-written with Ayleen (DancinPacer03)

As AJ falls in to depression again due to stress without knowing where to turn, he ends up falling back in to a path of drugs and alcohol. Not wanting to go through that with him again, the Boys kick him out of the Backstreet Boys, sending him on his way. Broke and alone, AJ has no choice but to answer a classifieds add in the paper for a room that is up for rent with two girls. At first, everything goes smoothly. That is, until they find out the truth about why he is there. They can only do so much, realizing that they have to find the rest of the group, and fast. After all, if anybody can get through to AJ, it would be them. Will they listen and help though before it is too late this time?








Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 22047 Read: 15471 Published: 02/17/06 Updated: 12/08/06

1. Chapter One by sweet18_2003

2. Chapter Two by sweet18_2003

3. Chapter Three by sweet18_2003

4. Chapter 4 by sweet18_2003

5. Chapter Five by sweet18_2003

6. Chapter 6 by sweet18_2003

7. Chapter 7 by sweet18_2003

8. Chapter 8 by sweet18_2003

9. Chapter 9 by sweet18_2003

10. Chapter 10 by sweet18_2003

Chapter One by sweet18_2003
***Chapter One***

Through blurred, double vision, AJ fumbled with the key to his hotel room as he tried to unlock the door. After many failed attempts, he finally got it, barely stumbling in to the room as he clung to the wall for support. He swallowed as he gulped in air, feeling as if his lungs were collapsing on him as his body started to shut down, his muscles and joints aching and burning, feeling heavy with lead. Almost as soon as the door was closed, AJ was on collapsing slowly to the floor, the room spinning rapidly around him, causing him to become very dizzy. The feeling to throw up became overwhelming, however the man managed to swallow the feeling away despite his mouth feeling dry and raw.

Practically crawling to the couch in the large suite, his lower body dragging behind him as if he were paralyzed, AJ grabbed on to the arm of it, hoisting his body up. He attempted to stand, but didn’t get very far as he fell again, the chair breaking his fall as he slumped over it. Only then did he heave, letting out all of the alcohol he had consumed that day. He was too intoxicated to even notice the stench of smoke and drugs clinging to his skin and clothing. He was too intoxicated and high to even remember the events from that night. All he knew was that he felt like absolute crap and that he felt nothing.

For the past months, AJ’s life had started to go downhill. At first, life had been great for him. He’d gotten his life together and had gained sobriety for a second time. The second time, he had been determined to keep things straight and not fall back in to the deadly, life-destroying path that had sucked him in before. He’d strayed away from his old crowd so that he wouldn’t be tempted. He’d started seeing a counselor and had concentrated on getting back the important relationships in his life that he’d pushed aside during his ‘dark days’, those being with his mother as the Boys, Kevin, Brian, Howie and Nick. His change had been both surprising as well as pleasant, and after gaining back the trust of the people he’d betrayed, the relationships had become closer than ever. He actually enjoyed doing the things that he loved way before and had loathed starting somewhere around his late teens and going through to just about his mid twenties. He couldn’t remember an exact time frame, but it was somewhere in there. After the depressed phase of his life that he tried to drown away, life had been great. For almost three years, it had been wonderful. But then, things slowly started to falter again...

...It had all started when his girlfriend, Katrina, had broken up with them. A two year relationship, if not longer, down the drain. Her modeling career had been taking off and after a few months of being apart more than usual, she’d decided a relationship wasn’t worth the hassle and had ended things then and there. AJ had honestly thought that she was the one. He’d been in love. Not just thought that he was in love and been cloudy headed, thinking that the girl he was with was the real deal because he was too stoned out of his mind to think clearly. No...Katrina had been it. He’d been honest to God in love with her, and his mind had been one-hundred percent clear for him to know what he was thinking.

That had saddened him greatly and he’d kept to himself for a few days, even letting a few stray tears fall. He’d quickly decided to pick himself back up though and get back out there, determined to try and go about life and concentrate on finishing up on the pre-release plans for the new album, Never Gone, and then getting back out on the road again. If only it were that easy though. In the midst of trying to forget Katrina, everything had reminded him of her. Everywhere he turned, there was something there to remind him...torture him, so to speak. And it was that which was the beginning of the end of his sobriety. The smallest things begun to stress him out and instead of keeping himself occupied to stray his mind away and hanging out with the Boys, having fun, he’d started to keep to himself more and more to shut himself away from the world so he wouldn’t have to deal with it all. At first, he’d been fine, not falling at all. But the longer he did it, the worse it became. He’d become more depressed yet, and bored. The hunger for the ‘wild’ life kept creeping up in to his veins and he had shaken the feeling away, telling himself that it wasn’t the way to go and that this funk would pass. It never passed though and he kept falling further and further until he finally cracked, getting in to the mini-bar of his hotel room, sneaking out a beer. He’d only meant to take one. Just one to relax himself. That one though, turned in to emptying the entire fridge out, his alcohol binge both satisfying and the start of another addiction. Three years of sobriety were wasted all because his life had started to gang up on him once more.

At first, he only drank a couple times a week and drugs hadn’t been a part of it. He had known that he was doing wrong, but that still didn’t stop him. Feeling guilty and scared, AJ had forced himself to go out with the Boys to keep himself away. A few times a week though, he fell. It wasn’t until the drugs came back in to the picture that AJ just hadn’t cared any longer at all. The guilt had left his soul, the caring and wanting to be proud of himself and have everybody be proud of him in return was no longer a factor. The destruction was underway. The AJ that everybody had been scared and worried for that he would end his life was back, only this time, he did a better job of hiding it because everybody knew what signs to look for.

To make matters worse, he was broke. He’d frittered most of his money away on expensive drugs, throwing hundreds of thousands at strippers every night, and paying prostitutes a high bundle for a pleasurable one night stand. The money had gone very quickly and now, he was close to having an empty bank account. Everything he’d worked so hard to earn was gone in the blink of an eye, within four months, because he’d been too foggy headed to even realize what he was doing. When he’d gotten a bank statement only two weeks before stating he had just over twenty-thousand left to his name, he knew that he was in trouble. That wouldn’t last long either though, but at least he had enough stash to keep him supplied for another couple of months. When the tour was over, he didn’t know what he was going to do because his home had been evicted as well. He wouldn’t worry about that now though, because the hotels he was staying at were grand and already paid for in advance.
Which lead him to that night. He couldn’t remember how much he’d had to drink. One shot had turned in to another, mixing drinks a distant memory. He’d smoked countless joints and snorted things that he wasn’t quite sure what was in them on top of popping a pill or two. It was amazing that he was still conscious and in ways, AJ wished that he wasn’t so that he could sleep off the ill feeling. It was the same thing every night though, and had been for just about four months now. Everything was getting out of control. Even he couldn’t deny it. He just didn’t have the ambition to try and get himself out of the hole he was digging.

Trying to get up again, AJ realized that he was done for the night as he gave up. He wasn’t going anywhere. His eyelids started to grow heavy as he heaved again, throwing up some more. He choked as some of the bile got caught in the back of his throat as he slumped over the arm again, the dizziness becoming worse. Seconds later, he was passed out, his body slowly folding on to the floor like a slinky until he was lying on the floor on a heap.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nicole sighed as she thought of what to write out for the classifieds ad she’d been putting together for the local paper. She wanted to have it submitted by that night so it would go in the next days paper. She and her best friend as well as roommate, Gia, had procrastinated for as long as they could, putting off the inevitable. The time had come though where it could no longer be denied that they needed help. They needed a third roommate. Especially with Gia having to take a pay cut with her job as a radiologist technician and herself starting classes again with finally getting what she wanted out of life figured out. That took money too, and living in LA wasn’t cheap. The two friends had tried to keep things going by themselves, but it just wasn’t working any longer. So as Nicole ran her fingers through her long, dark locks, she hoped that Gia wouldn’t be too upset with her for going ahead with getting things together.

As if on cue, Gia came sauntering in to the kitchen as she plopped down at a chair across from Nicole at the table. Nicole looked up and smiled, but it wasn’t convincing enough for the bright girl to catch on that something wasn’t right. She raised an eyebrow, her emerald eyes showing concern as well as a hint of suspicion as she leaned over the table trying to catch a peek of what her friend was working on.

“Whatcha doin’?” she asked in an upbeat tone.

“Nothing important.” Nicole muttered as she looked back down to hide her lying eyes.

“Nicole Adrian Resluc...”

“Gia Ann Lewis...” Nicole teased back.

Gia rolled her eyes as she reached over, plucking the paper out of her friends hand before she could stop her friend. The petite girl looked down with a grin that slowly faded as she read the words going across the page in front of her.

Two girls, age twenty-two seeking roommate in LA 2-bedroom apartment. Must be willing to pay 1/3 of rent and utility bills. Must be a clean-kept person and trouble-free. Both male and female permitted. For an interview to be set up, please call 555-0214.

Gia looked back up slowly with a scowl set upon her lips. Nicole winced, knowing that her wishes weren’t being granted. Her friend was agitated. It was only a matter of seconds before she spoke her mind about this matter.

‘Do we really have to get a roomie? We’re doing fine with the two of us.”

“G...last month, we barely got the bills paid with a measly ten dollars to spare on groceries. The month before that, it wasn’t much better. We need some help here.”

“We’re getting it paid at least.” Gia attempted with a bright smile which she hoped was convincing, “You know I don’t do well with sharing..especially with strangers.”

Nicole sighed, “I love living here...and I know that you do too. This is your dream home. I mean, c’mon...a two bedroom apartment...two-thousand square feet, split level...overlooking the water.” Gia looked thoughtful as she nodded, “This place is amazing, and we were on a wait list for two years to get in. It’s either get a roommate to help us get things paid, or move. Probably back to Ohio...”

Gia looked mortified at the mere suggestion of moving back to her home state, “Get that ad sent out!” she demanded, snapping her fingers in the air, “No time like the present. Can’t be wasting it now.”

Nicole laughed at this, the mood lightened up immediately. It was no secret that they both hated their home state and had jumped at the chance to get out. Ever since they’d become best friends nearly ten years before, they’d promised that one day, they would break free of the black hole that they’d been sucked in to upon being born. It had finally happened just as Gia had finished up the first year of her program of classes at a local community college and Nicole had decided to drop out of the culinary program at her own college. They’d moved, where both girls had worked full time, if not in to overtime, while Gia finished getting her degree on top of it all. For a year now, she’d had a full time position at the hospital, putting the degree to good use. It had been a struggle since the beginning, but living there had been so refreshing that they’d overlooked it. That was, until now. Ohio was not something that they wanted to see again, so of course they would take a stranger moving in over moving back to the ‘cow state’

“That’s what I thought.” Nicole smirked, her own chocolate eyes glowing knowingly as she stood up, walking to the den with Gia trailing behind her, “Just going to fax this over to the paper and it should be printed tomorrow.”

“Cool.” Gia replied as she stretched her lean body, twisting to each side to pop her back, “God, that felt good. I am so tense. Thankfully, today is my day off!”

“You deserve it. Putting in sixty hours a week is insane!” Nicole commented as the fax machine sent in their request, “Have anything on the agenda today?”

Gia shrugged as Nicole reached up on to a shelf to retrieve a box of thumb tacks, her five foot four stature barely making her tall enough to reach it. She took the paper out of the fax machine, sticking it to a bulletin board above the computer where several business cards were placed.

‘Troubles?” Gia smirked.

“Who are you to talk? You’re four inches shorter than I am.”

“Oh, shut up!” Gia grumbled, but a smile slowly crept up on her lips, “I think I’m going to head to the mall. You in?”

Nicole laughed, “We can barely pay the bills...hence the reason we’re getting a roommate.”

“Exactly. We’re getting a roommate, so that is more money to have fun with. Time to celebrate!”

Nicole laughed again as she shook her head. Some things would never change, but her friend proved a good point. More freedom did call for some sort of celebration. This was the start to a new and better life, or so she hoped. Nicole just hoped that they had a decent reply to the ad fast, or else they would be on a fast plane back to the place where they’d come from...kicking and screaming the entire way.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“God damnit,” Kevin grumbled, “Where the hell is he.”

Nobody replied, afraid to do so. They all just looked at one another, waiting for somebody...anybody..else to answer Kevin’s question. The problem was, when Kevin was mad, nobody wanted to get in his way for fear of making him that much angrier. It was obvious that their silence was doing just the same though and their nervous glances at one another was just causing the tension to thicken.

“I um..I don’t know...” Howie courageously spoke up, “We never know anymore.”

There was a long moment of silence as Kevin’s stone set features hardened a little more. It was only to hid the fear in his eyes though. The same fear that they all held deep within them. Outside of touring and rehearsals, AJ was never anywhere to be seen. Even rehearsals were sometimes skipped as well as sound checks. Meetings, such as the one that day, were never attended by the man. They’d seen this pattern before. They never thought that they would again, hoping that it was just a new girl in his life.

“You don’t think...” Nick spoke, his voice quavering slightly
“NO!” Kevin interrupted harshly, “He isn’t using again.”

“But Kevin...” Brian tried, “We don’t know...”

“I said NO.” Kevin stated again, “He isn’t. AJ is smarter than that.” he shook his head roughly, refusing to believe the possibility of what was happening.

All was silent again for some time as they all sat around. Nick swallowed, knowing that he’d struck a nerve in Kevin. Or had he just been the first to speak aloud what everybody had been thinking all along? He wasn’t sure, but it wasn’t as if he had spoken something impossible. It seemed though that something that they’d been scared of was happening though. Just as they were starting to trust the man again completely, he’d gone off the deep end again. Nick hoped that they were jumping to conclusions, but everything seemed so familiar that it was like it was just yesterday...

Suddenly without warning, Kevin sprung from his seat, taking long strides out of the room that they were in. The other three exchanged glances before quickly getting up, following him out of his hotel suite.

‘Where are you going?” Nick asked.

“To AJ’s fucking room to make sure his ass is in order.” Kevin replied harshly, walking down the private hallway to his friends room.

The other guys followed up until room 1098...the room which their missing group member and good friend was in. Howie winced as Kevin pounded on the door, memories from not that long before coming back to his mind. When they got no answer, it just caused their suspicions to grow even further. Kevin pounded again, the noise loud enough that it wouldn’t be a shock if people from several floors below could hear. Still no response. Closing his eyes and gulping away fear, Kevin reached in to his pocket, pulling out a room key to AJ’s room: something he kept of all the guys in case they locked themselves out. With a shaky hand, he slid it in to the door, opening it slowly.

As all of the guys filed in inch by inch, they noticed that the room was pitch black despite it being a sunny day. The curtains were drawn. It appeared that nobody was there, but that didn’t stop them from staying in the room. Kevin let in a shaky breath as he flipped on a light, all four of them venturing in to large suite.

“AJ?” Brian called out, breaking the silence.

They got no answer, but as they entered the living area, they found their worst vision becoming a reality. There was their friend lying on the floor unconscious. If it weren’t for his loud breathing, they’d have assumed that he was dead. But there he was in a heap just beside the couch. It was seconds before they were all on the ground next to him, shaking the man awake as they yelled his name with worry in the pit of their stomachs making them sick.
“AJ!” Kevin barked, shaking the man roughly, his hands gripped tightly on his shoulders.

Slowly but surely, AJ started to awaken, his eyes open to just slits. He appeared to be dazed and confused, his body swaying. It was obvious that he was still hungover and high just by his appearance, and by the slur of his words, it just confirmed it all the more.

‘Whas goinon?”

“We should ask you the same damned thing.” Kevin yelled, “How long have you been using again?”

“Wha?”

“How LONG have you been using?” he nearly screamed.

“I dunno...coupamons?” his words ran together as he second guessed himself.”

Gasps could be heard and it was all they could do not to start to tear up, not wanting to show their sadness and disappointments in him. They’d talked about what would happen though if their friend ever fell back in to his old patterns though. Each man knew what was coming from Kevin. They winced, taking a few steps back. This would be the last day of life as they knew it. After this, nothing would ever be the same again.

“You lying sonofabitch.” Kevin bellowed, taking back a fist as he punched AJ square in the jaw. Blood immediately started to spill from his mouth as the man looked up through clouded eyes in confusion, “You betrayed our trust...deceived us. You...I can’t believe you. I can’t go through this again with you. We can’t...” he choked on his words, determined to stay angry. He could cry later, when he was alone.

“Kevin, are you sure...” Howie tried, but was interrupted by Kevin speaking again firmly.

“We did this before...and it was hard. None of us deserve this. We’re done...you’re out of the group, AJ. As of today, AJ of the Backstreet Boys is gone.”

Kevin could tell that AJ understood what he was being told, but he got no reaction at all. He didn’t stop to wait for one either as he stood up, walking out of the room. The others followed, knowing that this had to be done. Not one of them said goodbye to AJ, walking out of his room, out of his life without looking back.

For a moment, AJ just sat and stared in astonishment. He didn’t know what to do, nor where to turn. He knew that he was in trouble and that he had screwed up. He tried to get up, but still couldn’t from the previous nights events. He was broke and penniless, all of his money wasted away. It was only then that he realized the severity of the situation. He was without a job, without a home...his only survival being hotels being paid for by management over the last couple of months. He was nothing any longer, but what scared him the most was that he had no intentions of changing his lifestyle. If anything, it gave him all the more reason to keep it up. The last thing in his life was gone, and to him, that was reason enough to just give up completely.


Hi all! Hope you enjoyed chapter 1! Ayleen will be finished with Chapter 2 within a week and will then be posted. Please leave a review! We get discouraged when nobody leaves feedback and we both have big plans for this story with the entire thing outlined out.
Chapter Two by sweet18_2003
Here is Chapter 2 by Ayleen. Enjoy and leave a review!!!


Chapter 2

AJ sluggishly got out of the limousine that pulled into his driveway. He felt like someone had run over him in a minivan. Hangovers were the absolute worst. It was now two days later since the blow out with Kevin and the guys. Aj didn’t know whether to be happy that he was officially free to do whatever he wanted without any obligations or to be upset that he had been kicked out of a band that had been his whole life for the past 12 years along with four of his brothers hating his guts and refusing to even speak to him. The driver grabbed his bags out of the trunk and set them at his front door. AJ dug into his pocket and pulled out a twenty dollar bill and a five.

“ Thank you sir” the driver said tipping his hat and getting into the car.

AJ walked up his driveway and pulled his keys out and unlocked the door dragging his bags behind him.

“ Home sweet home”. He muttered to the empty house.

It was really depressing coming home to no one. It should have been his ex girlfriend here waiting with open arms after the tour was done. He walked into the kitchen and pressed the play button on his machine which said that there were thirty six messages.

“ AJ this is your mother, the guys told me what happened, please call me ASAP”. “I am worried about you son”.

He rolled his eyes. He wasn’t in the mood to hear a lecture from his mother. He knew that he had let everyone down and his mother was the person he valued the most.

“AJ Mclean this is Sunny’s Collection agency letting you know you are behind on your house payment please call us at 1-800-543-854".

AJ snickered. He only had enough in his account to pay half the house payment if he payed all his other bills. He couldn’t believe that he was struggling with money. He was a celebrity for god sakes.

“I need a drink” he thought with a sigh.

That seemed to be the only thing that gave him any joy these days. He had forgotten the feeling it gave him. It numbed all his problems for the time being at least. Unfortunately he had nothing alcoholic in the house.

AJ finished listening to the rest of his messages and was sad when none of the messages were from any of the guys. He was hoping that after a couple of days things would blow over but it turned out that they really meant it this time. How had his life gotten this bad again?

AJ opened the drawer and grabbed his car keys. It was time to make a trip to his old hang out. A place that he once called home.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gia and Nicole walked in with shopping bags galore.

“ I think its safe to say that we went overboard today”. Gia said hoisting her bags over her shoulder. “ I mean we haven’t found a roommate yet to share the expenses.

“ We deserve it after all the handwork we have been putting in” Nicole pointed out. “ This was just an advancement”.

“ I suppose your right”. Gia replied. “I am going to go put this stuff in my room”.

“ I am going to go check to see if anyone has replied to our ad”. Nicole said. “ Than I will get dinner started.

“Sounds good”. Gia called from her room. “ I am starving”.

Nicole checked the machine to see that they had fifteen messages. She played all fifteen taking notes on names and numbers on a sheet of paper so she could call to set up interviews. Once that was done she walked into the kitchen to start dinner.

“So any calls”? Gia asked coming in to join her friend.

“Yeah we got several actually”. Nicole said. “ One of them is bound to work out”.

“Hopefully”. Gia replied. “ Although we have to set high standards”. “ I don’t want some geeky or smelly weirdo living here”.

“ I don’t either”. Nicole told her. “ I am sure that who ever moves in here will come to be a new friend”. “ Or better yet a guy that could become your new boyfriend”.

“ Yeah that will happen”. Gia answered with a roll of the eyes. “ Men are such pig headed fuckers”.

“ Not all of them are”. Nicole told her. “ Give it time you will find the right guy for you”.

“ All I know is that this roommate better not be a slob”. Gia said.

Nicole laughed and opened the cabinet door. “ We will find a decent one”. just than the phone rang. “There goes another applicant”.

Nicole walked over to the phone. “ Hello”.

Gia watched as her face lit up. No doubt it was her new boyfriend Derrick. They had been dating for a week now. She had met him on an online dating site.

“ Hey Derrick” She smiled. “ Nothing just got back from a shopping trip with Gia”. “ Yeah I am free tonight”.

Gia laughed walking out of the kitchen to give Nicole some privacy. Gia knew that tonight it was takeout and a movie alone in the apartment tonight. She didn’t mind at all since she was in one of her funks where being alone in her own home was a wonderful thing.

Fifteen minutes later Nicole came out into the living room with a dreamy look in her eyes.
“ What time is he picking you up”? Gia asked.

“ In a half hour”. She answered. “We are getting Mexican food and a movie”.

“ Well than you better get ready to go”. Gia answered. “ I know how long it takes you to get ready”.

“ It does not take me that long”. Nicole Defended. “ But a half hour is definitely cutting it close”.

Gia rolled her eyes and looked through the bin of takeout menus they had been collecting since the move to L.A. Thirty minutes on the dot there was a knock at the door.

“ Gia could you get that”? Nicole called. “ I need to finish getting ready”.

“ Told you you take forever”. Gia replied getting up to get the door.
Gia opened it to find Derrick holding a bouquet of roses. Derrick was a football and hockey player so he was built with dark hair and brown eyes. He was wearing a white collared shirt with blue jeans.

“ Hey Derrick come in” Gia greeted. “ She isn’t ready yet”.

“ Thanks”. He answered.

“ Sorry for the wait”. Nicole said coming out of her room a few minutes later in a pink skirt and white shirt with her curly hair freshly dried.

“ Wow you look great”. Derrick breathed as he stood up from his place on the couch.

Nicole blushed. “ I look like a fat cow”.

“ Oh god not that again”. Gia groaned. “ Glad she will be with you tonight”.

“ You do not look like a fat cow”. Derrick told her. “ These are for you”.

“They are beautiful”.Nicole said as she took them and took a whiff of the sweet smell. “ Gia will you put these in a vase for me”.

“Yeah you kids go on and have a good time”. Gia answered

“Thanks we will”. Nicole said with a smirk..

“Looks like its just me”. Gia said aloud.

It was time to order take out and watch a DVD. This was the life. Wasn’t it?

I shall be back with chapter 3 soon!
Chapter Three by sweet18_2003
Chapter Three

“So, what are we going to tell people tonight?” Howie asked as he got ready for the show.

It was a new night and a new location on the tour. It had been exactly ten days since AJ had been kicked out of the group. Ten days since the Backstreet Boys had become four members instead of the five that everybody was so used to from the past thirteen years. It didn’t seem that anybody had caught on yet to their lies every night, but it was bound to catch up with them sooner or later. This could only go on so long before the truth had to come out, or at least something come out.

“Are you going to answer me?” Howie asked when nobody replied to his questioning. His main target was Kevin, who just grunted in response. Nobody else replied either, too afraid to speak up. The situation was delicate and sensitive even though it was something that they couldn’t look past and ignore. Howie sighed, “Okay then...”

“What do you suppose we tell people?”

Howie looked over at Kevin who was buttoning his pants. He was looking directly at Howie with an eyebrow raised up waiting for a response. Howie just shrugged, pulling on a fresh shirt for the first part of the show. He took a drink of water to cool himself off, not really knowing what they should say. Kevin’s eyes never laid off of him though. In fact, everybody was eyeing him expectantly. As always, Howie to the rescue to speak for all in the wrath of Kevin. It was obvious that nobody else was going to and here they were all eyeing him expectantly. It was obvious that he’d dug of the grave of a conversation that was better left alone. He was stuck now, wracking his brain for something to say.

“Maybe the truth?” Howie suggested meekly, wincing at what was to come.

“Oh yes, that would be wonderful.” Kevin spat out sarcastically, “The press would have fun with that one and the fans would hate us for kicking him out. It would just cause a whole sticky mess that I am not ready to deal with yet.”

“But Kev...” Nick bit his lip, “AJ has had the ‘flu’ for a week and a half...sick in his room throwing up. This can’t go on for much longer before people catch on.”

All was silent making it obvious that Nick’s comment had angered Kevin. They all knew deep down that he was right though. The ‘AJ is feeling a bit under the weather’ bit was getting old and could only be used for so much longer. They’d always been completely honest in the past. What was the difference now? Humiliation. Hurt. Anger. Betrayal of trust. Those were the things that made this time different because they’d gone through it before and had gotten to a comfort point where they’d been sure that the threatening days were over. Obviously, it had been by lack of better judgement on all parts. Or had it been?

“I wonder how he’s doing at least.”

This caused all eyes to go in Nick’s direction. Kevin’s anger had made it clear that they were to have no part in AJ’s life whatsoever. The man was gone from their lives as if he had never been there to begin with. Kevin had figured, as much as it hurt him to say it, that it would be better for all of them going on not knowing what AJ was getting in to. It would be better if they went on with their lives without the complications and worrying. Nick’s comment was going against that silent vow that they weren’t going to wonder.

“Nick...” Brian sighed, his Southern draw soft and sad.

“What?” Nick exclaimed defensively, “He was my brother for half of my life. It’s natural to wonder.

The others took this in to consideration, knowing that they couldn’t argue. It had been in the back of all of their minds constantly though. Nick was the only one bold enough, or possibly even naive enough, to speak these thoughts and feelings aloud. Nobody replied to it though. Kevin’s eyes were dark and his mind set in stone that this was the way things had to be though.

You’re dead to me

Kevin sighed as he recalled saying those very words only a few years before. This time, he hadn’t had to speak the words though. He’d made it a reality. A harsh reality, but none the less something that had to be done. He couldn’t help but wonder if maybe it was too soon to start touring again and that had caused it. It was too late to turn back time though, and somehow Kevin doubted touring had anything to do with it this time.

“I’m going to call him.” Nick decided out loud, “I’m worried.”

“Nick...” Kevin warned, eyeing the blonde, or rather glaring at him.

Nick ignored Kevin as he dug his cell phone out of his jeans pocket. He flipped open the high-tech, top of the line device going straight to his contacts list. As he scrolled through, he completely overlooked the faces that Brian and Howie were shooting each other knowing that an argument was about to break out between the oldest and the youngest. Nick was just about to press send as he found AJ’s name when Kevin spoke again.

“Nick...we agreed not to even think about AJ.”

Nick looked up from his phone, his blue eyes showing glimmers of guilt and confusion. He took in a deep breath, letting it out in a frustrated puff. By the look on Kevin’s face, Nick knew that it would be in his best judgement to just shut his mouth and close his phone. However, he didn’t do either. His finger lingered over the ‘send’ button for another second as he bit his bottom lip.

“You can’t honestly say that you don’t care at all about where he is, how he’s doing...” Nick spoke up, his voice trailing off, “None of you can honestly say that, can you?” he waited a second and when nobody replied, Nick knew that he was right, “See. I’m calling.”

And with that, he pressed the button, bringing the cell to his ear. He saw Kevin come at him, but Nick shifted his body away simply and the man backed down again. He could tell that the eldest was not happy in the least with his decision, but at least he wasn’t trying to stop it any longer. At this point, Howie and Brian were looking at him expectantly as Kevin turned away from them all sulking that he wasn’t getting his way. It wasn’t until a few seconds later when he heard the phone click shut that he turned around again.

“Well?” Brian asked, “What is it?”

Nick raised an eyebrow as he shoved the phone back in to his pocket. He reached up to scratch his head in disarray for a moment before looking up at them all to answer what he knew they were all waiting for.

“His phone’s been disconnected.” he informed them.

At first there was no reaction to this at all besides dumbfounded looks wondering exactly what had happened. That was, until Kevin spoke, getting in the last word as always.

“Well, now we can get on with our lives and forget about it all like we’d originally planned all along.”

There was something in his tone though that said that he too was worried. Something that made the others not believe his cold-hearted words for a moment. The thing was, none of them could do a thing about anything because Kevin would never admit that he was changing his mind, they didn’t want to argue him and come in the path of his wrath and most importantly, none of them knew where to find AJ. It looked like they had no choice but to just move on and forget all about Alexander James McLean.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The bartender glanced up at a very obviously drunk man wearily as he wiped down the counter top. The young Latino was slumped over the counter with his face pressed against the cold surface. He was clutching on to a now empty glass which only minutes before had been filled with an amber colored whiskey, staring in to it longingly and dazed. He longer had any feel or sense for where he was, time or even who he was. He was the only one left from a rather slow night at the place.

Folding up his towel, the bartender placed it under the counter. He closed the doors, locking them up to secure all of the liqueur for the night. He looked at his watch and then back up at the man with hesitation before speaking.

“Sir, I’m going to have to ask you to leave. We’re closed for the night.”

AJ looked up in hazy-eyed confusion. His eyes were bloodshot, his mouth hanging open in thirst. The bartender winced at the thought of how horrible the mans hangover would be. The guy squinted, scrunching up his face as he pushed his glass towards him.

“Pour me nother.” he slurred in a loud tone.

“I’m sorry, but I can’t. It’s going on three. We closed nearly an hour ago.”

“Jus one mo...” AJ glared at the refusal.

The bartender took in a deep breath. He was used to dealing with this kind of behavior from drunks. Every night was the same story, different man. Sometimes they got violent and he had to call the police. Other times, with just a little yelling and arguing, they would leave. He wondered what way it would be with this one. It was always hard to tell.

“Sir, you’ve had more than enough. Even if we were open, I would have to cut you off.”

“Huh?” AJ asked. He squinted some more and noticed a sign behind the man who’d been serving him all night.

WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE SERVICE.

The words were extremely blurred to AJ, running together and even doubled. He could make out a few of them but nonetheless was having trouble comprehending them. In fact, he was having trouble comprehending anything. He was so far gone that he felt numb and lost. He was right where he wanted to be. Right where he wanted to stay.

It wasn’t like he had anywhere to go back to anyways. He’d officially been evicted from his home. The warnings hadn’t gone away. If anything, they’d just come to kick him in the ass, haunting him because he’d ignored them. He had nothing left but his car, which wasn’t even in the greatest of shape. It was all they hadn’t taken from him. That and his will to drink and get stoned. All he knew was that he’d have to find some sort of living arrangements. He’d been living in his car pretty much for going on a week already. It had been almost three since his friends had disowned him from their lives.

“Sir, let me call a cab for you.” the bartender offered, already picking up the phone to dial out.

AJ shook his head in refusal, digging in to his pockets to get his own keys out. Much to his dismay, they weren’t there. The bartender had managed to get them, finding them on the floor some time ago. This man was in no condition to drive himself home. It was likely that he would kill himself, if not somebody else along with him.

“No,” AJ stated, “Where...my...keys?”

“Sir, you aren’t driving.”

“I wa...walk.” AJ was determined now to take care of himself.

He got up, falling to the ground already the second his feet touched solid ground. He grabbed on to the bar to steady himself, hoisting himself back up. Stumbling, AJ slowly made his way across the bar, his reactions severely delayed and clumsy.

“Sir.” the bartender barked out

AJ ignored the man, tripping over himself as he made his way out of the bar completely. The bartender called after him one more time, but AJ was already out the door. Without his car, all he could do was walk down the side of the road, hoping to find an empty ally way behind a dumpster where he could pass out for the night in a drunken slumber. He barely made it, falling face first in to a pile of old newspapers, the classifieds.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“So, you and Derrick have been dating for two weeks now, right?”

“Huh?” Nicole looked up from her cell phone with a small smile curled on to her lips, pressing the send button so that the text to her boyfriend was on its way.

“Two weeks since your official first date?”

“Oh, um...yeah...or two and a half about.” she smiled wider, “Things are going great.”

“So I’ve noticed,” Gia smirked, “Why don’t you just up and ask him to move in with us...you can share a room and I can get one all to myself.”

Nicole laughed out loud, “You’d love that one, wouldn’t you,” Gia just shrugged, “Besides...Derrick has to live on campus to keep his sports scholarship...and more complicated things than that...” her voice trailed off as she didn’t want to make her lie too elaborate, not wanting to spill her boyfriends personal matters that he trusted her with. Things that were from a darker past.

Gia sighed in disgust, “That would be too easy actually...having him move in and help solve our financial problems. You realize we haven’t found one good candidate for moving in with us yet. Which one was your favorite... the guy who just got out of prison for rape or the girl who is a convicted con-artist.”

Nicole laughed, “Or how about the man who freaking admitted to stabbing somebody due to a violent temper, putting them in the hospital for several weeks...and then saying his temper can flare up at any moment...because he’s bipolar or something.”

Even Gia had to laugh at that. They’d definitely had their share of psychos that had tried to get in with them. Some even, they’d had to hide their own fears about until they were gone. So far, nobody had been found suitable. Everybody had some sort of issue that they didn’t want to risk in a living situation. Things were becoming more and more tight for them, and to be honest, Nicole had secretly begun seeking apartments elsewhere, none of which were in the expensive State of California. She didn’t want to let Gia know of this though, for there was no use getting the short-tempered girl riled up for no reason unless it really had to be done.

“So, do you have the day off today?” Nicole asked as she placed a couple of pieces of toast in to the toaster.

“Are you fucking kidding me?” Gia snorted, plopping down in to a chair as she pushed her straight brown hair behind her ear, “I work third shift today. My ass needs to take a nap or else I’ll be napping in the middle of some kids MRI.”

Nicole rolled her eyes. Leave it to her best friend to have that attitude. Despite her rough-around-the-edges demeanor, Nicole knew that deep down, the girl did have feelings that she tried to cover up. The truth of the matter was, both of them had become rather tough after learning that in today’s society, being nice and sensitive got you nowhere and trusting was stupid until that trust was gained.

“Well, ummm...at least it will be easy?” Nicole tried

“Stupid ass people will come in with stupid ass injuries that could have been prevented if they hadn’t been so MORONIC!”

Nicole laughed, choking slightly on her milk, “How kind of you.”

“Ah, well... fuck the world. That’s my motto.” Gia shrugged her slender shoulders before getting up again, “I’m off to the shower though and then run some errands before my lovely work shift of fifteen hours. Yay.” her voice dripped in sarcasm.

“Have fun.”

Gia flipped Nicole off as she sauntered off to her bedroom causing the younger girl to laugh again. It was only when Gia was out of sight that she let a frown of distress come on to her lips. She buried her face deep within her hands, raking her fingers through her hair just as the phone rang. Not having the energy to pick up, she let the machine get it. After the beep, there was a long hesitation, but eventually a male started speaking in a rather slow, slurred voice.

“Hi...I s...saw your ad....in the pap...paper. I...needa place...to l...live. Call me...901-555-5686...iza cell... maybe geta in...interview. Names Alex Mc...Mclean of BSB.

Nicole let out a groan as she rolled her eyes, hitting her head on the table top, ‘Great, now fucking delusional men with identity problems is prank calling us like some psycho freaked ass clown.” she muttered in disbelief, but with the way things were going, she already figured that it wouldn’t hurt to at least see what he was all about. She sighed, replaying the message to jot down the number, hoping that she didn’t get her own ass murdered along with Gia’s.


And there you have Chapter 3. Sorry it took awhile. If you're reading this, let us know what you think. Ayleen will have Chapter 4 soon, so stay posted!
Chapter 4 by sweet18_2003
Author's Notes:
Here is Chapter 4 from Ayleen. Sorry for the delay, however she can only work on the story in between quarters in college and I am working 2 jobs now, just stay with us. We have MANY plans in store for this story...and I guarantee it will be like nothing you've ever read...so give it a chance and please let us know what you think.
Chapter 4

A couple days later AJ made his way up the stairs to the third floor of the apartment complex. He really needed to get a place to stay which was the reason why he hadn’t been out to get his daily dose of medication yet. He knew coming into an interview totally wasted was not the way to do it.

Once he reached the door he quickly adjusted the hat he had put on to hide the fact that he hadn’t washed his hair in three days and ran a hand over his clothes to get any last minute wrinkles out. He than took a shaky deep breath and knocked at the door. A few moments later a girl that looked about twenty years old with curly brown haired answered.

“Hello may I…..” She trailed before her eyes got huge. “Hey Gia come here”.

A minute later a short petite brunette appeared.

“What”? She asked before her jaw dropped. “Oh wow”.

“Hi I am Alex I am here for the interview about the extra bedroom”. He decided to speak.

“Why yes you are”. The short brunette muttered sizing him up and down.

“Oh right yes of course”. The taller brunette answered opening the door wider and gently moving her friend out of the way. “Please come in”. “I am Nicole and the girl looking at your balls is Gia”.

“Hey”. The short girl replied. “You weren’t supposed to say that out loud”.

“Your making it quite obvious” Nicole replied.

“It’s nice to meet you both”. He answered with a handshake to both feeling a little uncomfortable at the fact the women were discussing his male genitalia.

“So you say you are looking for a room to rent”. The one named Gia asked. “You have come to the right place”.

“We have a lovely room that has a view of the ocean and is decently sized”. Nicole told him. “Follow me”.

AJ followed her through the living room, past the bathroom and another bedroom to the end of the hall. Once inside the room he took a look around.
It wasn’t bad at all. The room really was a reasonably sized one with a small walk in closet and the view was a decent one of the ocean. You could see the waves crashing against the sand.

“So what do you think”? Nicole asked. “Is it ok”?

“Yeah it’s great”. He answered. “How much”?

“Well you will have to pay about four hundred and fifty dollars for your portion of the month and 1/3 of all the expenses around here”. Gia explained.

“I can do that”. He lied.

Truth was he had only the rent for the one month and that was all that would be left.

“Ok well with that being said we can put you on the lease this week and than you can start to move in anytime after that”. Nicole told him. “Welcome home roomy”.

“Thank you”. AJ replied relived he had would no longer be sleeping on newspapers. “Is there any way I could you know start moving in today”? “See I have to be out by today and I have no place to go since I am really sick of hotels”.

The two girls looked at each other and shrugged.

“I really don’t see why not”. Gia told him. “We can get the lease and all that stuff settled tomorrow”.

“Great I am gonna go pack some stuff up and come back”. He answered. He was starting to feel the effects of not having his daily shots of Jack. “I will see you girls later”.

“Ok”. Gia replied waving as they showed him the door. “Later”.

Once he was gone Gia turned to Nicole. “Do you find that odd that AJ Mclean of the backstreet boys is looking for a room for rent”?

------------------------------------------

Later on that day Kevin arrived back at his room from the last concert of the tour. Tomorrow he and the other guys were going to fly back home and rest for 4 or 5 months before going into talks about a new album. He dropped onto his bed and ran a hand through his hair. He couldn’t help but think about AJ. The four of them had decided to tell the fans in a press conference that AJ was too busy with other things and was taking a hiatus from the band permanently. They figured it wasn’t a total lie and they felt it was the closest to the truth that they would be able to tell the fans without ruining his total image. Not that he cared about saving his ex friends image anymore. Thankfully the fans were supportive of them although they were disappointed.

Kevin couldn’t blame them though. That was the way he felt about the guy. The guys had no idea that he still cared very much for his old friend and brother. They all thought he couldn’t care less. Part of him wanted to go find him and talk to him just to make sure he was ok. A much bigger part of him knew that he had to forget about him since he was not going to tolerate this stuff again. He had been warned the first time. Kevin grabbed his cell phone and dialed home. His wife always knew how to cheer him up. After three rings she picked up.

“Hello”?

“Hey honey it’s me”. He said.

“Hey babe how was the last show”? She asked excitedly.

“It was good”. Kevin answered half heartedly. “The fans went wild as usual”.


“That’s good”. She said. “But home come you don’t sound all excited about that”. “Might I guess it has to do with certain ex member of the band and former friend”?

“Nope I have no clue what you are talking about”. Kevin replied. “I am very excited just tired out from the long tour”.

“Oh Kevin I know you so much better than that”. His wife sighed. “I know you miss him and I also know that no matter how much you try to deny it’s upsetting you that you had to throw him out of the band”.

“He did it to himself”. Kevin told her. “I don’t feel bad and I meant it when I said he was dead to me so why bring this whole thing up”. “I think its best that his name or anything else even remotely close to being associated with him is off limits forever”.

“You can’t honestly mean that”? Kristin responded. “He was your brother for fifteen years”.

“Oh I mean it all right”. Kevin told her. “If you love me at all you will respect my decision and drop this from now on”.

“When will you be home tomorrow? She asked him after a few seconds of silence.

“My flight gets in at 6 in the evening”. He told her. “Will you be there to pick me up at the airport”?

“Of course”. She answered. “I miss you so much and can not wait to see you’.

“Me too”. He answered with a smile. “I think I am going to head to bed now I am beat”.

“Ok I will see you tomorrow”. She answered. “Good night Kevin”. “I love you”.

“I love you too”. He responded. “Night”.
After he hung up he laid back and closed his eyes with
dreams of going home.
Chapter Five by sweet18_2003
Author's Notes:
Chapter 5 for ya! In about 3 weeks, Ayleen will have a break from class, and we should be able to get out between 2 and 3 chapters each at that time during her month off. Please leave a review for us, and Ayleen will have 6 for you in a few weeks! Thanks :) Oh, and this isn't going to be the typical story. Just give it a chance.
Chapter Five

Nicole sighed as she watched AJ lounging around in front of the TV, watching a rather sexual movie as he sucked on a cigarette. She coughed, feeling as if her lungs were collapsing a she breathing in the pungent stench, waving her hand in the air as if that would make it disappear. She scowled at the man, wondering if he ever did anything with his time, other than sit in front of the television, mooching off of herself and Gia, when he was the millionaire, and by all means, should be able to take care of them.

“Any luck finding a job today?” she asked him as she set her purse down, keeping her distance as he blew out another smoke ring.

“Nope.” He answered, his tone raspy.

‘Did you even look?”

“Nope.”

Nicole let out a disgusted sigh of exasperation. He’d been living with them for two weeks now, and he had yet to find anything. She had to wonder why he even had to hold a job anyways to pay the bills. All he said was he couldn’t use his money from being a Backstreet Boy. She hadn’t asked questions, and he hadn’t voluntarily given any information. In fact, the man barely spoke to either her or Gia.

“I thought we made it clear that this was a smoke-free apartment. So if you could please go outside with that nasty thing.”

Without a word, AJ put out the cigarette on a magazine next to him, burning a hole through the first five pages, flicking the butt on to the carpet for Nicole to retrieve before it left damages. A few ashes littered the ground, which she knew she’d have to vacuum up later. She rolled her eyes, muttering some choice words under her breath as she turned to walk away before she said something she would regret, or worse yet, kick him out for good. AJ wasn’t even phased by her walking past in anger, which upset her even more.

“Everything okay?” Gia asked, sensing something was wrong as she walked by, causing Nicole to stop in her tracks

“Ask our lazy, no-good roommate!” Nicole exclaimed, clenching her fists at her side, “He is practically watching porn and not doing a damned thing. I swear, my two year old cousin could make us more money having a lemonade stand for five cents a cup than he is going to make us to help out.”

Gia laughed, but her eyes showed that she too was apprehensive about the situation, because if things didn’t work out, they would be on the fast track back to Ohio. And like always, she tried to make a joke of it to play off her worry. It was a famous Gia trait that you had to know her to understand.

“Maybe we should stick him outside with a lemonade stand.” Nicole snorted, not amused. She was stressed with the situation, “Well, let’s go talk to him.”

Nicole shook her head, “Fuck no. I might strangle the man. I don’t care who he is…he needs to get a reality check and realize while he is living with us, he is no better than us.”

“Nic…come on. We haven’t even tried to talk to him yet. Lets get to know him.”

She took Nicole’s arm, dragging her back in AJ’s direction, who was still gazing at the TV as if in a trance. Nicole reluctantly went, grumbling a few profanities along the way. Nicole really was not in the mood to deal with the man who felt like he could up and take over the place as if they were his guests. He was infuriating, and she could feel a major streak of sarcasm and smart ass comments about to make way if his ways didn’t change, and fast.

“Hey Aje,” Gia greeted with a smile, finally letting go of Nicole’s arm, “What’s up?”

He barely shrugged, leaning in closer to the TV as a loud moan escaped the speakers on the TV, followed by rustling from the bed, the silken sheets slowly slipping off of a woman to expose her naked body. Nicole could swear she saw him licking his lips at the sight, as if the woman were a piece of meat. This disgusted her, making her realize what a pig this man really was. A man her and Gia used to idolize. With a shake of her head, she walked over, plucking the remote from the couch next to him, turning it off.

“What the fuck are you doing, woman!” AJ shouted, “I was watching that.”

‘That’s the beauty of things when you help pay the bills.” She retorted back, “You can buy all the sleazy playboy pay-per view movies you want.”

AJ’s eyes narrowed and darkened as he slumped back in the chair, crossing his arms over his chest. If looks could kill, Nicole knew she would be dead and buried so far in to the ground, she might as well be in hell. And then there was Gia, who walked over to AJ as if nothing was wrong as she plopped down on to the couch next to him, making herself comfortable. AJ didn’t even respond, his eyes just staring blankly ahead, his posture somewhat jittery.

“So, how are you adapting here? Everything nice enough?” Gia tried, attempting not to completely lose it on the man.

“S’alright.” He mumbled.

“You know, this is one of the nicer areas of California…we won’t live just anywhere.”

“I feel privileged.” AJ stated dryly.

Gia and Nicole exchanged a look, and it was safe to say that Gia was now losing her patients too. The man was acting like the worlds biggest asshole, and neither one was going to take it. They’d given him two weeks, and if things didn’t straigten out soon, they both knew that their ad in the paper would be getting put back in.

“So, Alexander James,” Gia started, but she was cut off.

“That’s AJ to you.”

“Okay, AJ,” she rolled her eyes, “What is somebody like you doing replying to classifieds in the paper for a place to stay? What’s your story?”

“Thought I would try something new. I was famous from an early age, so I decided I would see what it is like to live like the lower class.” He emphasized the last words.

“I think it’s us living with the lower class.” Nicole mumbled under her breath

AJ glared at Nicole for a long moment before turning away. She rolled her eyes, and Gia was looking back and forth between the two without a word to say. After all, what could she say? Things were turning out to be a disaster. The man who they’d interviewed was nothing like the man who was living with them. This man was a monster. A self-centered, lazy, horrendous monster.

“You have one week to find a job, or your out.” Nicole warned, spinning around on her heels and breezing out of the room.

“Are you going to let that bitch talk to me that way?” AJ asked roughly, directing his question towards Gia.

Gia shrugged as she stood up, “I have to agree with Nic.” Was her response, “You have one week to straighten up and start helping, or you’re days here are done.”

And with those final words, she too left, leaving AJ to sit alone on the couch, stunned, wondering what move he was to make next. He didn’t want to hold a job though, and figured if he procrastinated long enough, they would just coo and tell him everything was okay, and he could stay there anyways. After all, he was a womanizing charmer. All he had to do was work with them, flirt a little, and he would get his way. He always got his way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“This isn’t working anymore.” Nick pointed out the obvious, as they rushed in to their hotel as a mob of fans was cut off by security. The doors were closed and blocked so that they could get to their rooms without a problem. It was when they were to the elevator that the four men slowed down, “It’s been nearly a month, the tour is almost over…no AJ.”

‘Exactly…the tour is almost over. We’ll stick it out, and then worry about what to tell people.” Kevin interrupted.

“People are starting to get suspicious over the whole ‘AJ is sick’ excuse though. They’re seeing through our lies, unless they think he’s got cancer or some horrible shit like that.”

“Then that’s their assumption to make on their own.” Was Kevin’s cold-hearted reply.

“It’s a lie though. We’ve never lied to the fans. Why start now? Why not be honest?” Nick argued

“Enough.” Kevin yelled sharply.

Already knowing where the conversation was going, Kevin cut it off before it started. It was a topic that was brought up almost daily, always by Nick. The others had come to grips with the decision, and even seemed to agree with it. The tour was running more smoothly again, no stress, no troubles, no worries. They went out and did their thing, not having their stomachs in turmoil about where AJ had gone off to, or if he would show up at all. Nick, on the other hand, argued it out all of the time. He felt that AJ deserved yet another chance, and just needed their help and a little tough TLC to get him back on track again. Kevin was past helping though. The way he figured it, AJ had relapsed again, their help before not doing a damned thing in the long run. What would make this time any different? In Kevin’s eyes, nothing. He was through with helping out. He was through with caring.

“But Kevin…” Nick pressed on, “It’s been almost eight weeks. Don’t you even care about where he is, or how he is….or if he’s even alive.”

“He brought it upon himself.” Kevin muttered, walking quickly ahead of Nick to hide his glazed over eyes that were on the brink of tears. He wanted to keep up a tough image that wasn’t going to crack. Most days, he was set firmly in his decision. Other days though, he did worry about AJ’s whereabouts. The young, troubled man had to learn that there wasn’t always going to be somebody there to kiss him all better and make all of his mistakes go away. He had to fend for himself, and learn some real tough love, “As far as I’m concerned, he really is dead to me this time.”

Nick sighed, looking to the others for help. They barely glanced over, keeping out of the argument as they so often did. It was then that Nick realized once and for all that he was alone in this battle.

As they mad their way on to the twenty-sixth floor with their VIP cards, walking to their suite, Nick tried to think of another approach to the situation. He’d tried calling their brother a few other times since their kicking him to the curb, in secret of course. He always got the same response though. The number had been disconnected. He couldn’t tell Kevin that though. He would freak out, getting all defensive and holding a grudge for the rest of the week. He couldn’t, however, just let it go.

“Maybe if we just know he’s alive, maybe he’s stopped already and-“

“NO!” Kevin barked, “This conversation is over. If you care so much about how he is, then why don’t you go and join him, but you’ll be out of this group as well.”

“Kevin, you can’t mean that!” Brian finally defended for his best friend.

“I do,” he glared, “Nick drinks just as much as AJ does-“

“That’s not fair!” Nick defended himself, cutting Kevin off, but he ignored the comment, continuing on with his ultimatum.

“Nick drinks just as much as AJ does. If he care so much, he can go get trashed with AJ in some random hookers house, and God knows what else. Does anybody disagree, or is this conversation over?” Kevin waited only a few seconds before saying, “After this tour ends, we’ll just make an announcement that AJ has made the choice and left the group to pursue other things.” Then muttered under his breath, “Which isn’t too far from the truth.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AJ smiled as he let out a huge sigh of relief the second Gia walked out of the apartment. He was alone at last. Nicole had gotten up a couple of hours early to go and visit Derrick before her own work shift, unable to see him as often as either would like due to their conflicting schedules. That had left Gia there, getting under his itching skin, ready for her to leave so he could go about his regular routine before they got home.

Walking in to his bedroom that they’d given him, AJ opened his boxer drawer, reaching clear in to the back to retrieve a small zip-lock baggie. We looked at it in the palm of his hand, he was ready to escape again, feeling nerve-wracked and jittery from his lack of drugs in his system. He got this way every day, knowing he had to get his high out of the way early on, hoping it would be out of his system by the time the girls got home for the night. Then he was sober until the next morning when they left again, feeling like crap from being ‘sobered up’. It was a daily routine, but at least eventually, he got his high…on most days. And when he wasn’t high, he was cranky and rude, irritable and stressed.

Walking out to the living room, he sat down on the table, placing a piece of paper down as he dumped the white powder on to it, making a neat little pile with his fingers. It was then that he bent down, plugging one nostril with his one finger as he snorted up the cocaine with the other in two quick, long sniffs. It burned going up, giving his sinuses an aching pain for the first several minutes, but soon, he could feel his relief starting to kick in, his nerves calming as he slowly slipped in to the state he loved.

Following his cocaine shot, he lit up a joint, taking a seat on the couch to watch some TV. He wished he had a six pack to down, but like every day, he didn’t, because he had no money. Unless he could find some of the girls cash lying around. But then there was the transportation problem. He had no way to get there. AJ let out a defeated grumble. It was just him and the drugs, once again. And the higher he got, the more slowly time seemed to pass, everything going by in slow motion, but feeling in a rather violent, but at the same time tranquil mood.

Knowing when he had to stop, AJ put his stash away, letting everything set in. He felt he could go all day, but with Nicole and Gia coming back to ruin his good time in seven hours, give or take a couple, so he had to sober up if he wanted a roof over his head. One thing he knew about the girls was how dead set against drugs they were. His habit had to be kept secret. As it was, it had gotten him kicked from the group and put out of contact with the people he’d known half of his life.

AJ’s eyes darkened at that. He hadn’t meant for them to find out. It had just, happened. Before he knew it, he no longer had a place to stay, the busses leaving him behind the next morning as he slept off his hangover into early afternoon. He’d thought that they were bluffing and would come back for him, but it never happened. Hell, he didn’t even know where they were right then. What hurt the most though, was that they hadn’t even called. Not one of them. They’d left him to rot and fend for himself, not even caring about him. He felt so insignificant and unloved, driving him to fall deeper into his drug and alcohol habit, which he’d never really had any intentions of quitting all together in the first place. Nobody was supposed to know though, and he’d been able to keep it secret for months. It was his fate to be found out though. He was, however, thankful that the guys hadn’t told anybody what they knew, as it wasn’t even in the papers. In fact, nothing about him was. It was as if he no longer existed at all.

It had been five more days since the warning about getting a job. The girls vaguely mentioned it, but like always, he shrugged it off. They kept telling him that he had to get one, but he wasn’t taking their threat to get him kicked out seriously. If they were serious, wouldn’t they have carried through already? After all, here it was, two days until his ‘time’ was up, and he was going to be on the streets again, yet there were no signs of that actually happening. Not sure if that was a good thing or bad, AJ decided to just take it as it came. His life had become a hole. He was merely just there, passing through the days as if he were a shadow. Half the time, AJ felt that his roommates didn’t even remember he was living with them to begin with. Not until they saw him sitting on the couch not doing a thing with his life or days.

With a sorrowful sigh, AJ could feel that he was minutes away from not feeling anything, taking one final drag of his joint before snubbing the butt, stuffing it in to behind the couch cushion, making a mental note to remember to trash it later, even though it was useless and he would forget, just like every other time. He would, however, have to air out the apartment so the stench would leave. That was, after he passed out in to a slumber. If any luck would have it, he could get another few hours of sleep in before the girls came back. This was his life.
Chapter 6 by sweet18_2003
Author's Notes:
Chapter Six...for your reading enjoyment!!! Leave a review!!! :o)
Chapter 6
Nicole sighed as she walked up the stairs to the apartment carrying five bags of groceries to the door. She used her one free hand of the moment to open the door and kicked it with her foot so the door opened wide.

“Hello”? She called.

With no answer she made her way to the kitchen passing AJ’s stupid ass on the couch.
It would figure he wouldn’t answer nor would he even make an attempt to help as she struggled with the bags of food.

Once Nicole got the bags safely on the counter she walked out to the living room.

“Did you not see me struggling”? She asked him exasperated.

“Yep”. He answered in a monotone like she was the one inconveniencing him.

“Well did you not have the decency to at least if nothing else grab a bag to help bring to the kitchen”? She replied.

“No”. He answered in another single syllable.

Nicole sighed in frustration. The man was absolutely infuriating. It was now going on two months of him living at the apartment and he had yet to be seen with a penny. Gia had given her her half of the grocery money that morning before she left for work but AJ had given her zip.

“I don’t know why I bother to be surprised. “ It’s not like your ass ever leaves the couch”.

“In fact your ass has yet to help contribute to anything”.

AJ looked up at her. “Woman why are you bitching”?

Nicole let put a scream. She wanted to strangle the dumbass for being so damn heartless and clueless.

“Can you at least come out to my car and help me get the rest of the stuff and help put them away since you will just mooch off the food you didn’t even bother to pay for”? Nicole asked him. “Things will go a lot quicker and smoother if there are two people helping”.

“Nope I am comfortable where I am at”. He replied snottily. “After all isn’t it the woman’s job to do the grocery shopping and put them away”.

“Listen you little sexist pig”. Nicole started before she heard the familiar ring tone of kiss and control by AFI coming from her cell phone.
Nicole ran to the kitchen and unzipped her purse digging around until she found it.

“Hey baby”. She greeted.

“Her yourself’. Derrick greeted. “What are you up to”?

“Not too much just got back from the grocery store”. She answered bas she made her way out the door to her car to get the rest of the stuff out.

“Fun times”. He joked. “ I was calling for two reasons”.

“Oh yeah”. She asked. ‘ And what would those two reasons be”?

“The first reason is to tell you I love you and miss you and am truly sorry we haven’t gotten the chance to see each other much lately”. He started.

“ Derrick its cool really I understand”. She told him getting the last of the bags and locking her the doors of her yellow Honda civic SI with the remote control. “Becoming assistant manager at Joe’s has got to be very time consuming’.

“Yeah well It will be nice to get my degree and be able to make a lot and still see you more than what I am now”. “As for the second reason I called I was wondering if you would like to do something with me”.

“You know I am always up for that”. She answered closing the apartment door behind her and putting the remaining bags of food on the counter. “ What would you like to do”?

“I was thinking maybe bringing some takeout from your favorite restaurant and stopping by blockbuster to get a movie and we can have a nice low key night on your couch”. He answered. “What do you say to that”?

“I say that sounds perfect there is just one little problem”. Nicole answered with a sigh. “ My roommate AJ will be here and he has parked himself on the couch”.

“Ah how is the roommate from hell”? Derrick asked her. She had told him all the things that he had yet to do and how miserable him living there was.

“Don’t ask”. She answered. “ I talked to Gia this morning about having a little chat about rent being due soon”. “My guess is that he wont pay and than we can throw that drunk jerk out on the street”.

Derrick laughed. “ I am sorry honey”. “ Everything will work out great once he moves out”. “Who knows maybe I can move in and help with rent”.

“My god that would be like the best thing ever”. Nicole told him a small smile on her lips at the thought of her perfect or rather almost perfect boyfriend living with her and seeing his hot ass every single day. “ Maybe we could work something out once butt plug leaves”.

“ Yeah I would like that very much too”. He answered.

“ So what are we going to do about tonight’s date”. She asked him.

“You have a TV in your room right”. Derrick asked her.

“ Yeah”. She replied. “ Its not a big one but it work good”.

“ Than we can just have a nice romantic evening in your bedroom and just think if things get physical than we wont have to move’.

Nicole laughed and licked her lips at the thought of having her way with Derrick. “ That is true”. “Sounds totally perfect to me”.

“ Awesome I will be over at the apartment with food and the movie at 7”. He told her. “ See ya tonight”.

“ Yes I can not wait”. She told him. “ I am excited”.

“ Me too”. He told her. “ I love you”.

“ I love you too”. Nicole answered.

A bright smile played on her lips. Nicole had never felt like this about anyone before. He was the love of her life. Nicole finished putting away the groceries and looked at the clock above the oven. It read six fifteen. She had to hurry and go get ready.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gia tiredly walked into the apartment exhausted and not in a good mood at all. She had just worked a twelve hour shift at the hospital and things hadn’t gone well at all. First she got yelled at by her superior about the way she did things and than she had to take care of a five car pile up accident that took forever to get to everyone and on top of that she had two patients that gave her a hard time. She looked over to see AJ with his eyes glued to the TV almost finishing off a six pack. She had to admit if it weren’t for the fact that he hadn’t shaved in weeks and looked like he probably hadn’t showered in even longer than that he would look so hot in the a baggy white t shirt and sweatpants.

“Hey AJ”. She greeted. “What are you watching”?

“ None of your damn business”. He answered curtly as he took another swig of the fifth beer bottle he had consumed that day.

“You don’t have to be so god damn rude’. Gia answered. “Would it kill you to be nice”?

“You seemed to be such a nice and sweet guy on TV and in the concerts that I went to”.

“I guess that was all for show huh”.

“If you knew anything about the music business you would know that image is everything”. He told her with attitude. “What you see isn’t always what it is”.

“So does that mean that it appears you have no money and no job but you really do have a job and money to start contributing”. Gia asked with the same amount of attitude”.

“No I really don’t have a job yet or any money”. He told her. “Why the hell do you think I am living in this tiny apartment with two other roommates”

“You’re the one that answered the ad”. Gia pointed out. “No one put a gun to your head”.

“If I could I wouldn’t have roommates”. He told her sourly. “This place is too crowded”.

“It isn’t that crowded”. She told him. “You’re used to having a mansion sized house all to yourself. “ I swear celebrities are such stuck up snobs”. “Your idea of roughing it is living in a small apartment”.

“You nobody’s don’t know anything”. AJ snapped. “ We aren’t stuck up”.

“Really”? Gia snorted. “That why are you being such an ass since day one”? “You have yet to pay a bill which brings me to my next point you have two weeks till rent is do which means no job no money no live here”.

“I can’t believe that you are still harping on that woman”. AJ replied with a roll of his brown eyes. “ Ill get to it when I get to it”.

“No Alex you will get to it ASAP if you want to stay here”. Gia told him. “ I am going to go and change my clothes so if you don’t mind cleaning up the beer cans that have raided the coffee table that would be helpful”.

“You’re the woman of the house cleaning is your job”. He told her with a smirk as a loud belch escaped his lips.

“You’re such a sexist pig”. Gia hissed as she started backing away from the living room.

Just as she turned around to go towards her bedroom she tripped over the leg of the coffee table on her way to making contact with the leg of the couch with her head when she felt herself hit something soft. She looked up to see a pair of brown eyes starring down at her.
Chapter 7 by sweet18_2003
Author's Notes:
Another chapter...lol. I think you may find the end of this one humerous. hehehe...Ayleen will have 8 done shortly! Thanks for your patients!
Chapter Seven

Gia continued to stare up in to the soft brown eyes as AJ held her, keeping her body from making harsh contact with the tabletop or floor below her. Her breath caught in her throat as she wasn’t sure of what to do, AJ having his first genuine moment since his time there. The moment ended all too quickly though, and the next series of events happened without warning as AJ let go of her. Gia let out a grunt that couldn’t be helped as she hit the ground, rubbing her knee with one hand while helping herself up with the other. Looking over to the man, she saw that he was taking his seat again on the couch.

“So much for that.” Gia retorted with a sarcastic quip in her tone, “I thought you were actually going to do something out of the goodness of your heart.

“You were blocking my damned view of the TV, woman. Next time, watch where the hell you’re going.” The hard, cold look was back in his gaze, his eyes blackened all over again.

Shaking her head, Gia pulled herself to her feet completely, shooting the man a glare full of hatred and disbelief. She couldn’t believe that one person could have so much evil pumping through their veins. Had she been foolish to believe that the man could actually have a moment of genuine kindness? After all, she’d seen the look in his eyes, like somewhere deep down there was good in him, just trying to dig its way out of his troubled, tormented soul. Had she read too much in to it, or was the man trying not to show a sensitive side to him. A side that Gia had felt was the real AJ before she had met him. Was that person somewhere inside of him, or had it all been an optical illusion.

“While you’re up, get me a beer.” AJ demanded rather than asked.

“Get it yourself for once.” Gia replied with a frown.

“That would require me moving,” AJ shuddered at the though, ‘Besides, how many times do I have to tell you…it’s the woman’s god damned job to fucking serve the man.”

“I swear go God…” Gia muttered as she made her way in to the kitchen, limping slightly from her newly injured knee. Whipping the fridge door open, she pulled out the first beer she saw, uncapping it with one swift, angered twist of her hand, storming back out in to the living room to thrust it in to mans hand. He grabbed it, immediately taking a swig by tilting his head back, pouring the bitter tasting beverage in to his open mouth, “Does it live up to your standards your majesty?”

“Now you’re catching on,” he caught the glare the girl was giving him, “It’s fine…could be colder…and a higher class brand, but the cheap shit is fine for now, since I doubt you can afford anything better.”

“You want the good stuff, then get a god damned, fucking job, for the last time.” Gia found it the perfect opportunity to bring up the topic again, “You have til the end of this week…or you will find what little belongings you brought with you waiting for you on the front porch one of these days.”

“You wouldn’t have the nerve, woman. I live here too. I’ll take you to court if you even try to kick me out.”

“You’re not on the lease, jackass…” Gia seethed through gritted teeth, “And you won’t be until you start paying up for your share of the expenses. If not, I’ll change the locks and will throw your shit out of the place. Don’t test me, because I am not joking around.”

‘What the hell do you expect from me?”

“Just what you agreed to upon moving in. Figure it out for yourself.”

Not even waiting for a reply, she turned and walked swiftly away, leaving AJ sitting with a scowl set firmly across his face. It slowly faded in to a look of worry though, which he did his best to hide. If he was kicked out, he’d be as good as screwed. On the other hand, he had a feeling there were plenty of fans he could find to take advantage of, who’d take care of him and not make him pay out a single penny or lift so much as a pinky. He couldn’t take that chance though. As much as he despised the idea, AJ knew that he’d have to try and find a job. At least for the time being, to make it look like he was at least trying. Reaching beside him with an angry huff of air coming out of his mouth, he picked up the daily newspaper, flipping to the jobs section, hoping that there was something out there that rose up to his standards. He was an star, after all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gia walked in to her shared bedroom to find Nicole on her half of the room flopped on her stomach, her face burred in to her pillow. Tilting her head to the side, her eyes clouding over with confusion, Gia set her purse down, slowly advancing towards her obviously upset friend in caution, afraid of startling her, and wondering if disrupting the girl would cause her further emotional distress. When she heard a loud sigh though, Gia decided to take her chances.

“Hey, Nic…you alright?”

Nicole rolled over, surprising Gia in the fact that her eyes were dry and she seemed perfectly fine. A small smile formed on her lips, but it seemed somewhat forced despite her attempts.

‘Hey, Gia…” Nicole’s voice trailed off, “What’s up?”

“Not a lot…just got home, and shocker of a lifetime, AJ is gone!” her mouth dropped open into mock shock, causing her friend to laugh, “Wonder where he’s gone off too…for the first time in a month.”

“Lord only knows with him.” Nicole shook her head. It was only a second though before her eyes clouded over, and a loud sigh escaped her lips.

“Nic, what’s up with you?” Gia asked again, “You can’t hide stuff from me. I can read you like a book. Besides that, aren’t you supposed to be out with Derrick?”

“Supposed to be, being the key word.” Nicole rolled her eyes, “He cancelled on me…again.” She sighed, “Things are different the past few weeks. He says he is just stressed and in a bad mood from work, but damnit all to fucking hell and back, I’m his fucking girlfriend!” she threw up her arms in exasperation, “He should be treating me better than that.” She shrugged her small shoulders.

“I agree…but just see how things turn out. The boy is crazy about you. Hell, we’re not exactly ourselves the past few weeks, no thanks to you know who.” She rolled her emerald eyes, “Seriously though, give Derrick a few days and if his ass doesn’t shape up, give him an ultimatum…shape up or ship out.”

Nicole snorted. It wasn’t as easy as it sounded, for she had fallen in love with Derrick already, not wanting to just up and give up. She just hoped that things would get better again soon, because the man, despite his assholish ways lately, was somebody she considered herself completely compatible with.

“Don’t look so down,” Gia said in an upbeat tone, “Think of it this way…if things don’t work out with Derrick the scatterbrain, you’ll find somebody at college when you start back up. There will be plenty of opportunity for you there.”

Nicole laughed as she shook her head. Her friend proved a good point. As much as she wanted the man she was with to be her life partner, if things didn’t work out, there was plenty of opportunity out there for her to try out , and probably somebody who would treat her way better, even after a time as short as two months later in to the relationship.

“Yeah, well…” Nicole smiled, “Let’s just hope he changes his attitude.”

“Hopefully…” Gia’s voice trailed off, not wanting to give a definite response for she didn’t want to discourage her friend nor get her hopes up.

There were a few minutes of silence which passed by with each girl attempting to look busy, with Gia rummaging through her purse in search of something and Nicole flipping through a magazine she’d pulled from her nightstand. Neither really were paying attention to what they were doing though, but rather just doing it so they wouldn’t be sitting there in awkward silence for an extended period of time. Suddenly though, Gia perked up, zipping her purse and looking up with a wide smile and an up-to-no-good glow in her eyes.

‘What?” Nicole asked, tilting her head to the side in wonderment, knowing that look could only mean one thing.

“I think we deserve a shopping trip.”

“Gia…we can’t pay the bills ourselves and if AJ were helping, then yes…but he isn’t and we can’t afford to blow our money away on the mall.”

Gia rolled her eyes again, shaking her head, “Nic…we’ve both had a rough couple of weeks. My job is shit lately, our roommate thinks he is king of the world and you’re having relationship problems. I’d say we need a little something to lift our spirits. So are you in, or are you out?”

Nicole sighed. Her friend proved a good point. They were both stressed and hadn’t had fun in a couple of months. She longed for just one afternoon of freedom where she could smile and laugh and not worry about money or how the bills were going to get paid. Although she knew that shopping wouldn’t help the situation, against her better judgement, she decided that it wouldn’t hurt anything to go out and have a little retail therapy.

“I’m in.” she found herself saying before she could really think twice about it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As he stood along the curb to the highway outside of the Chick-fil-a, holding up a sign advertising a new sandwich, AJ grumbled under his breath, flaming up in reddened embarrassment from underneath the enormous chicken suit he’d been forced to put on. The only upside, if there was an upside to this, was the fact that nobody could see him under the heavy, gaudy costume. Especially with him marching up and down the side of the road like some sort of half retarded moron, waving the sign around to draw attention.

‘This blows.” AJ muttered under his breath, forcing himself to keep going despite the intense heat. The costume had had some sort of air conditioning system built in to it to make the heat bearable, however it had gone out after a mere twenty minutes, leaving AJ sweating and panting for air and a cold drink, “This really blows.”

It hadn’t exactly been his first choice in jobs, and when he’d applied at the restaurant after countless times of being told he was unqualified for lack of experience at many other places, he’d expected a management position. Not this. They’d offered to let him start that afternoon though, and much to his surprise, he was getting the rookie position. The job that the people inside of the building were too advanced for, including the person at the register. During his interview, the manager had made a comment about ‘With your charming personality, I have the perfect position for you.’ At the time, AJ had thought that the short, round woman had been serious. Now, he saw that she was sarcastic and thought that his personality had much to be desired, shoving him in to a position that was easy and lacked having to actually talk to customers.

Stopping for a moment to take in a few deep breaths, feeling as if he were going to pass out due to the extreme heat, AJ wondered what the hell he was doing there. He was a celebrity, for Gods sake. He deserved any job he pleased, no questions asked, and to be trained in any position, experience or not. And to top it off, he deserved full benefits straight up, without the usual six month wait period. But yet, he was being treated like any average human being, and to him, that was just uncalled for and wrong.

While a group of teenagers were at a red light, he noticed them stopping to stare at him, pointing and laughing. Anger flared up in AJ, but he tried his best to turn away and ignore it. That was, until they started yelling things out the window at him.

“Hey, chicken, too ugly to show your face?” one of them yelled.

‘Try getting a real job, loser!”

AJ turned and looked right at them trying to frighten the kids who were likely no older than seventeen. Instead of scaring them though, it just caused them to crack up even harder. AJ realized he must have looked pretty ridiculous, in a bright yellow chicken costume with big, flappy wings and a beak that was curved in to a smile, the color vibrant shade of orange. He didn’t care though, because his day was becoming a living nightmare.

“Ohh…I’m so scared!” one of the boys chided from the backseat, flapping his arms around and bocking like a chicken in imitation.

AJ started to walk to wards the road, sick of the tormenting he’d been receiving all day. The thing was, most of the people just chuckled politely at him, going about their way. These kids though were just being cruel.

“Why don’t you shut the fuck up, you little punk!” AJ seethed through the costume, his voice coming out low and animated.

“Or you’ll what?” the driver laughed.

AJ didn’t think of anything to come back with quick enough, for they started razzing him more, shooting out insults and slams, laughing and calling him names. The more AJ heard, the angrier he became, wishing the light would just turn green already so they would be out of his face. It didn’t happen soon enough, and he was losing his temper very quickly.

“Go back to the funny farm, where you belong…freakoid retard.” One of the kids chided with a grin.

With that said, the last of the patients AJ had been reserving left him as he chucked his sign at the car, leaving a nice dent in the nice, new paint job. The kids looked at him started, their bodies frozen for just a moment before they realized the violence they’d caused to erupt from the smaller man. It was then that their eyes all showed fear, looking straight ahead. It was too late though, for they’d caused the monster in AJ to show as he took off his chicken helmet, also tossing it as the car with such force that it broke the windshield, the beak sticking in to the hole it had created, glass splintering out in all directions, the rest of the head rolling off in to the middle of the road as cars honked their horns all around him.

“You little fuckers have messed with the wrong person!” AJ yelled.

He wasn’t sure if they heard him though, because the light had turned and they were trying as hard as they could to get away from him quickly despite the slowly moving traffic. They weren’t fast enough though, for AJ got one last shot at them as he took off one of the clawed feet, tossing it right at them as they drove off, it bouncing off of the rear window. With that, AJ started to walk off, knowing that his job was over and he’d be fired anyways, but he didn’t care, stripping down the rest of his costume along the way, leaving it lying in the dirt as he dug in his pocket for some quarters to find a pay phone as far away from the restaurant as possible to call for a cab to take him back home
Chapter 8 by sweet18_2003
Author's Notes:
Here's Chapter 8!!! I'm gonna try to have 9 done by the weekend for ya!
Chapter 8

AJ walked down the street with his shoulders slumped. His luck was just not getting any better at all. One of the employees working the register had seen his little freak out and had ratted him out to the manager who had than in turn fired him. Now he was walking home with no job and no money to participate in rent. He didn’t have much time at all to find something before he got the boot from his so called roommates. As he was passing by an ally way he noticed a few men huddled together by a dumpster. From the looks of it he knew it couldn’t be legal.

“Here is five thousand” one of the guys that looked about twenty three with brown hair and a flannel jacket with ripped jeans said. “I need some more supply”.

“The supply should be here in a day or two” a guy with black hair and a leather jacket replied.

“Excellent we are right on schedule”. The man with the gruff voice replied. “You two had better not screw up”.

“Yes sir we promise” the flannel shirt guy said. “Everything is under control boss”.

“It had better be”. He told them pointing his finger. “One screw up and you two will be swimming with the fishes”.

AJ snickered. The guy didn’t look that intimidating.

AJ started walking towards home when out of no where he felt hands jerk him back roughly.

“Hey what the…” he said as the two guys he had seen in the ally way dragged him back and pushed him in front of their boss.

“What the hell do you think you are doing”? AJ asked angrily. “I’m trying to get home”.

“Not so fast” the gruff voice replied. “Were you not just watching us”?

“No”. AJ lied. “I’m trying to get home”. “I have had a lousy day”.

“Do not lie to me boy”. He growled pulling out a 32 revolver from his pocket and aimed it right at his forehead. “I know you were spying”. “Now I get to kill you”.

“Wait no need to get so violent”. AJ replied nervously. “Don’t worry about me I won’t tell anyone”.

“See anyone who has a gun aimed at their head would say that”. The boss guy replied rolling his eyes. “You’re just trying to save your own sorry ass carcass”. “If I take your word that you won’t say anything you will leave here and go straight to the cops”.

“No I won’t” AJ told him. “If I even think of doing that than I am going to be in almost as much trouble as you”.

The boss narrowed his eyes and slightly lowered the gun. “What do you mean by that”?

AJ was about to open his mouth when a great idea came to his mind. He knew exactly how he would get out of this alive.

“Never mind.” He answered. “I shouldn’t have said anything”.

“No I want to know what you meant by that”. The boss replied. “The answer to this question may or may not save your life”. “If I were you I would take it”.

AJ sighed. “Well ok see I am kind of what people like to call a druggie”.

“A druggie”? The guy asked with a small smile. “Interesting”. “What kind of stuff do you do”?

“Usually pot, cocaine, prescription drugs”. AJ listed off. “I like to mix that stuff with alcohol”.

“ Very nice”. The boss answered. “Have you ever done ecstasy”?

“Nope but I have always wanted to try it”. AJ answered liking how his plan was working so far.

The boss put his gun down and stuck it back in his back pocket under his jacket and reached inside his pocket and pulled out a small bag and showed it to AJ.

“There are two pills in here”. He told him. “I will sell you this for fifty bucks”.

“I would love to buy that from you but I am flat ass broke”. AJ explained. “I am having a hell of a time finding a job”. “Apparently I am not qualified or have the skills for anything”.

“How bad do you need a job”? The boss asked him.

“Very badly”. AJ answered. “My stupid roommates are actually making me pay half the rent”.

“What if I offer you a job”? The boss asked. “You make runs whenever I page you and normally you will get two hundred and fifty bucks a run”.

“Wow that’s a lot of money for not doing a whole hell of a lot”. AJ commented. “ Ill take it”.

“Excellent uh what’s your name”? The boss asked him.

“AJ” He answered.

“I’m Tommy and the bone heads behind you are Kyle and Mark” Tommy the boss told him. “Mark give him a beeper”.

Once AJ was given a beeper Tommy held out his hand. “Welcome aboard”.

------------------------------------------------

“Oh my god I think we are officially in debt”. Gia said as the two girls arrived at their apartment with shopping bags galore. “Do we have enough to pay the bills”.

“Yes”. Nicole answered. “But we are going to have to not spend a penny for another three weeks”.

“I think we can handle that”. Gia replied as she set her bags on her bed. “Probably”.

“Well on the Brightside we are probably going to have to kick AJ out meaning the next roommate we find will actually help out with the bills leaving us with extra cash”.

“I can not wait”. Gia answered. “Between not paying his half of all the bills and the attitude I am sick of him being here”. “I think we should just throw his ass out today”.

“Well he isn’t home”. Nicole pointed out. “Let’s just give him to the end of the week”.

“Fine”. Gia sighed. “Let him be a couch potato for a few more days”.

“So how about we go into the kitchen and make smores”. Nicole suggested. “I haven’t made those in ages”.

“Works for me”. Gia replied. “You know that calories are my friend”.

“Calories are my worst enemy”. Nicole snorted. “We can dunk them in milk”.

“Ok now I am officially hungry”. Gia said with a laugh. “Lets go”.

The two girls made their way into the kitchen pulling out all the ingredients. Just as they were about to turn the oven on they heard the door open and shut.

“Oh great”. Nicole groaned. “It’s Bonehead”.

“Maybe if we throw a dog bone out the window into oncoming traffic he will go fetch and play dead”. Gia offered. “As much he actually uses his brain it’s a possibility”.

Nicole laughed. “Don’t joke that could be way more fun than throwing all of his stuff in the parking lot”.

“Hello ladies”. AJ greeted coming into the kitchen and heading straight for the fridge no doubt getting a beer.

“Ah yes a beer”. Gia replied. “Heaven forbid you miss out on one night of beer fest”.

“Even your rude attitude can’t put me down”. AJ said as he took the cap off and took a swig from the bottle. “I am in too good of a mood”.

“I have a rude attitude”? Gia exclaimed. “Don’t even go there”.

“Why are you in such a good mood”? Nicole asked wondering if she was going to regret asking him. “Did you get laid by a hooker”?

“No for your information I found a job today”? AJ told her with a smug smile knowing that the two were just dying to kick him out. “A job that I actually like”.

“Wow so hell has frozen over finally”. Gia said.

“Congrats on the job”. Nicole said with clenched teeth. “Where do you work”?

“At a company called XTC”. He said.

“Never heard of it”? Nicole replied. “Is it a new company”?

“No it’s probably made up”. Gia said with a snicker. “How pathetic”.

“Its not made up”. AJ argued as he took another swig of his beer. “It is a brand new company”.

“What do you do there”? Nicole asked him.

“I am um in Sales”. He replied. “I make really good money in fact I did some work today and made enough to cover this months rent”.

AJ reached into the pocket of his jeans and handed Nicole four hundreds and a fifty.

“Isn’t this a lot of money for 1 days work”? Gia asked him.

“Yeah but I get paid by commission not a regular paycheck”. AJ explained. “There is no need for me to have a paycheck because when a sale gets done I make more money that way than I would anywhere else on a week’s paycheck”.

“Well AJ I would say that you have done good”. Nicole told him. “ Guess it looks looks you are staying put”.
Chapter 9 by sweet18_2003
Author's Notes:
Chapter 9 done and ready for reading! It will probably be December again before an update, because Ayleen is back in school and will be VERRRRRRRRYYYYYYYY busy with full time classes and clinicals on top of finding time for homework...but we will have another chapter out. Just be patient and enjoy!
Chapter 9

Nicole breathed out a content sigh as she wrote out the check for their rent, going to her checkbook to balance it. For the first time in several months, she was ahead of things, having a few hundred dollars extra in her account rather than the number being merely a few away from the negatives.

Closing the checkbook, she put the check in a pre-addressed envelope to the rental office, sticking a stamp on it to send it out on its way. Her mind slowly wandered to AJ though, and she rose an eyebrow before she could really control it. How strange was it, that merely a week and a half ago, AJ had still been jobless, then out of the blue, he’d landed a really good paying job. One, she assumed, that made more than her and Gia’s…combined. After all, the man seemed to bring home a pretty hefty amount of money. How, though, was the main question.

As if reading in to her questioning thoughts, AJ sauntered in to the room with a smile on his face as he walked over to the fridge. Opening the door, a soft blast of cool air hit him as he pulled out the jug of skim milk, twisting the cap off and bringing it to his lips as he chugged down huge gulps of the white liquid for at least ten seconds before bringing it down again and recapping it. He was completely oblivious to the complete look of disgust that Nicole was giving him.

“Ewww…” she chided, “Get a glass next time.”

“No thank you.” AJ replied, “You have a problem…label your shit with post-its.”

“And that would make a difference?”

“Probably not.” AJ shrugged.

Nicole rolled her brown eyes at him as she shoved her checkbook back in to her purse, making sure it was secure in case AJ tried to snoop through her things and take her money. She hated that she doubted his antics, but with the way he was, Nicole figured that she couldn’t ever be too safe. When she looked up at AJ again, he was smiling at her, making her feel extremely uncomfortable and anxious.

“What?”

“I’m in a pretty good mood is all…lets just try to get along for once.”

“Suddenly the ass wipe of the century wants to get along?”

AJ glanced at her scornfully before saying, “I got a great job, woman. I’m helping out now…just like you asked. What more do you want from me? Good God!”

“Absolutely nothing.” Nicole replied with a drip of sarcasm in her voice which AJ failed to pick up on, “By the way…what exactly does this…XTC company stand for?”

“Erm…I don’t know?”

“Of course!” Nicole threw her arms in the air for emphasis, “Why does that not surprise me.”

AJ scowled at her, “I go in every day, bring home money…isn’t that enough?”

“It’s how you’re bringing home the money that worries me…” Nicole muttered under her breath, wondering if he was doing door-to-door type sales for carpet cleaner or something of the sorts, pocketing the money made along the way.

“Get the burr our of your ass.” AJ shook his head in disgust before walking away, leaving Nicole sitting looking baffled.

As she watched him walk out of the kitchen, Nicole just stared, waiting before he was out of sight before saying, “What a joke.”

The truth was, over the past few days, her mood hadn’t exactly been her usual happy, upbeat, carefree self. Her relationship with Derrick had been suffering due to his true personality coming out for several weeks now. She’d tried to look past it, but Nicole was getting sick and tired of the constantly being ignored and him not calling for days upon days on end. Even though she’d like to see things work out, she also didn’t want to wait around, giving her a major ultimatum to deal with. Talk to him and open up, or just tell him that them dating wasn’t such a good idea after all. The thing was, she didn’t know which one she preferred, being caught up in the middle of her mixed feelings of emotion. Deep down though, Nicole already knew which she would be doing, causing a brief moment of sadness to wash over her.

‘Damn fucking male…” Nicole grumbled out loud, wondering if she would ever find her Prince Charming or if her life was doomed to be full of men who did nothing but take advantage of her.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gia smiled coyly to herself as she peered out of the window of her bedroom, catching a glimpse of a rather attractive man standing in the next building over. It was a good thirty feet away, but just close enough for her to see his rippling six pack of abs as he lifted his tee shirt off of him. As he stretched, flexing his arms above his head, Gia could swear that she was about to start drooling at any given second.

“Come on…of come the pants next…” she mumbled, “Start to stripping.” She added with an urging tone, even though he couldn’t hear her.

She continued to watch with her mouth hanging ajar, just waiting for what was next to come. His brownish-blonde hair was spiked, and from what she could tell…he was of very reasonable height. Observing more, she noticed boxes piled and lining the walls as well as some thrown carelessly in to the middle of the room. Raising an eyebrow, she wondered if he’d just moved in or just plain had horrible organizational skills. Either way, she found the man gorgeously sexy, licking her lips as he bent down to reveal a strong back side. He rummaged around some in the boxes which he’d been digging through, finally retrieving a royal blue towel. Slinging it over his shoulder, he started to peel off the jeans he’d been wearing, sending shivers of excitement down Gia’s spine. Her pulse started to quicken as he left them in a heap on the floor, leaving him in just boxers of a maroon color.

“Damn boy…” Gia murmured, “Show me more…”

Letting out a small breath, she waited as he grabbed at the boxers, ready to reveal what was packaged underneath. Her eyes widened and started to bug out of her head as she wondered if he were excited or not, knowing that in mere moments, she would know for sure by what was being taken out from hiding.

“Hey, G…”

“Ahhhh!” Gia yelped, jerking back from her position by the blinds in startlement, letting the two she’d been holding open with her fingers fall back in to place a she fell to the floor, caught in her guilty action, “Damn, Nic…don’t sneak up on a person like that!.” She scoffed as she picked herself up from the floor, angry that she’d missed this mystery man stripping finale.

“What were you looking at?” Nicole laughed, making her way over to the window

“Nothing.” Gia replied too quickly due to nervousness, wincing at how anxious and defensive she sounded.

Nicole gave her a strange look in which she returned with what she hoped was a convincing smile. When Nicole went to open the blinds again though, Gia knew that she was about to be found out. When her friend looked back over to her in confusion though, Gia looked to see what was out there, relieved to find that the man was now nowhere to be seen, but slightly disappointed to, for she’d liked to have seen more.

“All that’s out there is some lady walking her dog…” Nicole commented, raising an eyebrow.

“Right!” Gia jumped at the opportunity, “I was amazed at the striking resemblance the mutt had to your stepmother.”

Nicole burst out laughing at this, unable to help herself. It was no secret that they all thought that Dianne, the woman her father had for some god unknown reason chosen to marry, was a complete and evil witch. But that was besides the point.

“Scary, isn’t it?” she finally agreed aloud, “Anyways, AJ for some strange reason, wants to take us to dinner….want to give it a try?”

“Why, so he can make us pay for it?” Gia asked with sarcasm dripping from her tone.

“Even if he does, which he very well may, we can at least afford it now…” her voice trailed off, nervous about his sudden change in attitude. True, he hadn’t exactly been kind with the offer, but he ‘d said that he felt he ‘was obligated to it’

There was a slight hesitation, Gia wondered if she really wanted to spend a couple of hours out with the man who’d been nothing but rude to her. Even earlier that day, he’d been testy and short. Lord only knew what would come of dinner if they actually accepted the invitation. On second hand, it would be a free meal.

“We don’t have to if you don’t want.” Nicole quickly reminded her, “As I said, he didn’t exactly seem thrilled with the idea either, so why he asked, I don’t even know…”

“No, its fine…” Gia grinned, “We’ll make sure he pays…and we will choose an expensive restaurant…the finest in town, and order anything we desire…make him pay out the ass. Payback will be a bitch tonight.”

Grabbing her purse, Gia slung it over her shoulder, ready to use AJ for all he was so recently worth, leaving Nicole following in her footsteps. Her new male interest was gone for the night, but Gia made a mental note to discretely spy to find out more about him. After all, they were practically neighbors. Therefore, he would be easily accessible. That night, however, she had other plans in store for a certain male who deserved every single rotten thing that came his way. She was talking about ordering the most expensive wines, several appetizers, meals she didn’t even like that she would ‘box up for later’ only to order something else, on top of desserts, sides and whatever else her heart pleased. She would feel no remorse when the bill came, hopefully topping somewhere around one-thousand dollars for the three of them. No remorse at all.
Chapter 10 by sweet18_2003
Author's Notes:
sorry for the long delay!!! Ayleen finished this chapter several days ago, but I was having issues with the site...but it seems to be working now, so yay! lol. enjoy
Chapter 10

That night the two girls and AJ arrived at a very exclusive steckhouse restaurant in down town Los Angelus. Neither girl had any idea what was going to happen between AJ’s rude behavior and the fact that they had to spend time with him in public for all to see if he indeed had one of his outburst and rude behavior.

“I have reservations”. AJ told the host who was standing at the door with a pad in hand. “It should be under the name Mclean ”.

“Ah yes sir right this way”. The host replied as he grabbed three menus and led the trio to a small round table in the back of the place. “I hope this is ok”.

“Yes this is just perfect”. AJ told him with a small smile. “I really would prefer not to be disturbed on this fine evening”. “Thank you”.

“Your welcome sir”. The host answered with a small smile. “Your server should be with you shortly”.

“Thanks”. Nicole said as she took a seat on one side and AJ taking a seat on the other. That left one seat open for Gia to take and it happened to be right next to AJ. Gia gave Nicole a look before lowering herself on the chair and taking the menu.

“Order whatever you like”. AJ told them with a forced smile.

“Oh don’t you worry about that”. Gia replied with a fake genuine smile. “I intend to do just that”.

The waiter appeared a moment later.

“Hello my name is Joe and I will be your server this evening”. He greeted with a broad smile. “Can I start you off with something to drink”?

“Yes I would like to order the most exclusive wine you have got in here”. Nicole told him. “I am sure that you know a good one”.

“Yes of course”. He answered. “I will be back in a moment”.

Once the waiter was gone AJ looked at her. “The most exclusive wine”? “What’s the occasion”?

“I would like to think of this as a celebration”. She explained. “After all I think that we have a lot to celebrate tonight don’t you”.

“Like what”? He asked.

“Like the fact that you got a job and that this is the first time that we are acting like roommates”. Gia pointed out.

“Yeah who knew hell would freeze over twice”. Nicole added.

“I get the feeling that shit is being directed at blaming me”. AJ commented. “I didn’t do anything wrong”.

“You’re kidding me right”? Gia asked. “You’re the one that has been the roommate from hell”.

“How do you figure that”? AJ asked her angrily.

“Uh where do we start”? Gia started. “You took forever getting a job and paying your half of rent and the bills, you don’t clean up after yourself, you contribute a large amount to the mess in the apartment and you have a serious attitude problem”.

“I do not”. AJ hissed. “If I am in a bad mood its because you two put me in that mood”.

“And how the hell do you figure that”? Nicole challenged him. “Before you actually got a paying job you spent your day on the couch getting drunk and yelling demands and sexist comments at us”.

" Look I dont want to fight". Gia said. " We are at a nice restaurant lets try not to make a scene".

" Fine but you two started it". AJ replied as the waiter came back with the bottle of wine and 3 wine glasses.

" Thank god". Gia muttered.

" I think that the alchol will help us all get along" AJ stated as the waiter popped the cork on the wine bottle and poured the the three glasses setting it in front of everyone.

" Is there anything else I can get you"? the waiter asked. " Are you three ready to order"?

" Yes I do believe we are"? Nicole answered. " I will have the 48 ounce steck with lobster on the side and baked potato with some corn please".

" I will have the same". Gia replied

" What are you guys doing"? AJ asked angirly. " Im not made of money you know".

" Please your a backstreet boy of course you are". Nicole told him. " Dont go all cheap on us now".

" Yeah this little shin dig was your bright idea". Gia pointed out. " as a matter of fcat you are being quite rude".

" Hello I have to share an apartment with the two of you". AJ told them. " I dont have alot money and I dont think that I can pay for all this".

" Than we can pay 1/4 of the bill". Nicole offered with her fingers crossed behind her back. " How bout that"?

" Fine whatever Ill just have the cheeseburger with an order of fries". AJ said to the waiter.

" The food should be out soon". The waiter told them as he walked away to a nearby table to get some dishes.

" How in the world do you think that you two are gonna eat all that food".

" Were not". Nicole told him. " Its called leftovers".

AJ rolled his eyes. "Why do I even bother trying"?

" This the point AJ you dont". Nicole told him. " You are an arrogant jerk".

" Yeah and I have had just about enough of your attitude". Gia said. " We are sick of being talked to like a we are dogs".

" Your women". AJ scoffed. " Thats how a man talks to a woman".

" Ok thats it we are so leaving". Nicole angirly said standing up and stocking off towards the door.

Gia stood up and poured the wine bottle on top of AJ's head.

" You stupid bitch". AJ screamed.

" You are a pig". Gia screamed back. " Have a nice dinner".

" Wait a minute I cant pay for all this". He yelled. " What the hell am I gonna do"?

" Well than I guess your just gonna have to wash dishes". Gia yelled back. " Go to hell AJ".

And with that she took off behind Nicole out of the restaurant.
---------------------------------------------------

Nicole sighed as she entered the apartment and walked into her and Gia's bedroom. Gia had decided to sit out on the balcony probably to spy on the new hot neighbor that she didnt think that she had seen before. This had been the day of hell. Not only did she have to deal with AJ and his degrading demeanor towards her and gia but this would make three days since she last had talked to derrick. Things with him were worse than ever. He rarely ever called her anymore and when he did it just ended up in a fight. Nicole couldnt do this anymore. she knew what she had to do. Nicole grabbed her cell phone and dialed his number. After three rings derrick answered.

" Hello"?

" Hey Derrick its me" She said slowly.

" Hey honey". He answered. " before you say anything im sorry about our fight the other day". " I know I havent been the easiest person to get along with".

" No you havent". Nicole told him. " We havent been getting along at all lately". " Thats why I'm calling I think its best if we just be friends".

There was complete silence on the other end.

" Derrick are you there"? Nicole asked after a few moments went by.

" Yes I am". He answered back. " Im just stunned".

" Come on Derrick you had to have seen this coming". She told him wondering why guys were so dense.

" No actually I didnt". He told her. " I just thought that we are going through a rough patch".

" This is more than just a rough patch". She answered. " Derrick we never see each other, we rarely talk and when we do we just fight".

" We can work things out". Derrick told her. " I promise things will get better'.

" No it wont". She argued. " Face it Derrick your wrapped up in your work that you cant afford to have a girlfriend'. " Im not the one for you".

" Yes you are". He argued back. " I love you please dont give up on us".

" I have to". She whispered. " Im sorry".

" No I refuse to accept this". Derrick told her stubbornly. "We can make this work please just try".

" I have tried and im tired of trying", She told him. " I want to wish you good luck and I hope that we can be friends someday in the future".

" No please Nic". He pleaded. " I love you".

" I have to go" Nicole said. " Goodbye Derrick".
Nicole clicked the phone off and wiped away a few stary tears away. It was time to move on to bigger and better things.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=6923