The Mayan Princess by nicksgal
Summary:
The internet is crawling with rumors about celebrities, but what happens when the rumors are about an old hotel? All the while, Ashley and Deanna fall hard for Kevin and Nick, but... Can they survive long enough to find out if they're meant to be together?

CO-AUTHOR: ASHLEY




A note from 2021: Hello! This is unlikely to ever be updated, but please feel free to read and enjoy what is there!
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Kevin
Genres: Drama, Horror, Romance
Warnings: Death, Graphic Violence, Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: No Word count: 23471 Read: 12399 Published: 02/19/06 Updated: 05/25/06

1. Chapter One by nicksgal

2. Chapter Two by nicksgal

3. Chapter Three by nicksgal

4. Chapter Four by nicksgal

5. Chapter Five by nicksgal

6. Chapter Six by nicksgal

7. Chapter Seven by nicksgal

8. Chapter Eight by nicksgal

9. Chapter Nine by nicksgal

10. Chapter Ten by nicksgal

11. Chapter Eleven by nicksgal

12. Chapter Twelve by nicksgal

13. Chapter Thirteen by nicksgal

14. Chapter Fourteen by nicksgal

15. Chapter Fifteen by nicksgal

Chapter One by nicksgal
The taxi sped down the highway. Palm trees passed by at fast paces and the ocean breeze drifted softly near by. The sun shone brightly on all the passengers in the car, two men and two young women. One man had dark brown hair and brown eyes; his chin and upper lip were covered in facial hair. His ears had several piercings and he wore sunglasses to shield his eyes from the sun. He wore a light tank top, showing off his numerous tattoos. He held his stomach and leaned down. The other man also had brown hair, brown eyes, and facial hair. He wore a light tee shirt and gazed out the window at the rushing scenery. The two young women both looked very similar: brown hair, brown eyes, the same build, and the same facial features. One wore a pink tank top with a pink skirt imprinted with hibiscus flowers. She had her hair done up in buns with pink bows. She held tightly to her stomach and leaned down in a manner similar to one of the men. The other wore a blue tank top and jean shorts. Her brown hair was left to hang at her shoulders as she stared out at the scenery.

“Guh…” the man holding his stomach moaned, “I hate planes…”

“Me too, AJ…” the girl who held her stomach replied.

“Really?” the girl looking out the window questioned, “I love ‘em.”

“Me too,” the other man chimed in.

“It’s so high…” the first girl whined.

“And all the turbulence,” AJ nodded.

“It’s beautiful,” the second man comment, “Soaring above the clouds is like a dream.”

“Then there’s always the chance the plane will crash…” the first girl sniffed.

“Why am I related to you?” the second girl questioned.

The first girl hugged her, “That’s because we’re twins, Ashie…”

“I know,” she grimaced.

“Putting that aside, Ashley,” AJ put his hands in his lap, “Why are you related to me? We’re nothing alike.”

“If you two are so alike,” Ashley smirked, “Why don’t you go be brother and sister?”

“Because I… love… you…” the first girl hugged Ashley.

“Get off me, Deanna!” Ashley pushed her away.

AJ began to laugh cheerily.

“Hey…” the second guy started.

The three of them turned to him. “What Howie?” AJ questioned.

“Is this your first time to Mexico, Ashley, Deanna?”

Deanna nodded and clenched her fists, “Yeah! I’m really excited.”

~~~~~


So… Just why were they in Mexico? Begin flashback…

AJ sat in a navy armchair in his living room. He leaned back against it holding a phone in his hands. “You want me to come to a resort town with you?”

“Yeah,” the voice on the other end of the line smiled.

“Won’t you be there with her though?”

“Well… umm… sure, but… I invited everyone else to come,” the voice stammered, “It wouldn’t be fun without you.”

AJ rubbed his chin thoughtfully, “Well, I’ll admit it’s not a party without me…”

“Of course,” the voice chuckled.

“But…”

The voice took a blank tone, “But. What do you mean ‘but’?”

“My cousins are visiting me right now, I can’t just leave them.”

“Your point? Bring them with you.” They paused, “Unless they’re really small…”

“They’re 24.”

“See, bring them with you.”

“Are you paying?”

“Well, no…”

“Do you think I’m made of money?”

“Well, no…”

“Then I’m going to stay here.”

“No! Tell you what…” they paused, “I’ll pay for half… How many are there?”

“Two.”

“Just two? That’s not a lot at all!”

“Then you’re paying for both of them?” AJ smirked.

The voice laughed, “No way.”

End of flashback…

~~~~


Deanna smiled, “It was really nice of your friend to invite us though, AJ. What are they like?”

Howie chuckled, “He’s a real…” Howie put his hand to his chin, “Is ‘pain in the butt’ what I’m looking for, AJ?”

AJ nodded, “Unfortunately.”

“A boy!?!” Deanna squealed.

Ashley put her hand to her head, “If he’s male and breathing, she’s very happy…”

AJ blinked, “They’re all boys…”

Deanna clapped her hands, “They’re all boys!!!”

“What are you, two?” Ashley snorted.

Deanna poked Ashley’s forehead, “I like hanging out with men.”

“Don’t you mean hanging out on men?” Ashley poked her back.

Deanna glared at her, “Let’s not discuss that here, huh?”

“Actually, one of them is bringing his wife and the other is bringing his girlfriend.” Howie interjected.

“Yahoo! The rest are single!” Deanna cheered.

“How many people are coming AJ?” Ashley questioned.

“Well there’s me, the four other guys, the wife, the girlfriend, and you two.”

“Aww….” Deanna whined, “Only two single guys…”

“You don’t need more than one,” Ashley rolled her eyes and laughed a bit.

“Look, we’re here!” Howie pointed out the window.

A giant hotel loomed above them. It seemed to kiss the brightly sparkling sky and lay just off the ocean. A grand circular driveway led to the hotel. The whole front entrance was littered in gold, velvet, and silk.

“Wow…” Deanna and Ashley gasped as they stepped outside the taxi.

“Big, isn’t it?” Howie chuckled.

“AJ!!!! HOWIE!!!!” a male voice called.

The four of them turned around to face a young man running toward them. His blonde hair bobbed as he ran. He was pretty tall and wore a sweatshirt, jeans, and tennis shoes.

“Hottie at two o’clock,” Deanna grinned.

“I’m sure,” Ashley rolled her eyes.

“You don’t like blondes?” Deanna blinked her eyes.

“Of course not.”

“Why are we related?!”

The boy had finally reached them. His blue eyes sparkled as he smiled, “Hey.”

“Nick,” AJ smiled, “Ummm… you do not it’s summer in Mexico, right?”

Nick blinked, “What do you mean?”

AJ pointed at Nick, “You’re wearing a sweatshirt.”

Nick blinked, “I don’t get it…”

“You are dressed a little warmly.” A woman appeared behind Nick and grabbed his shoulders. She had long blonde hair and blue eyes and wore a tightly fitting tiny red dress.

Deanna’s happy smile fell, “Darnit,” she muttered under her breath, “He’s the one with the girlfriend.” She held her hands up to her face, “And no wonder… She’s so gorgeous…”

“What are you blabbering about?” Ashley questioned.

“She’s so beautiful…”

The woman smiled, “Yes, I know.”

Nick grinned, “This is my girlfriend, Paris.”

Deanna blinked, “Isn’t that a city with a big tower?”

Ashley put her hand to her head, “The Eiffel tower, stupid.” She pointed to Paris, “But that’s a person.”

Nick chuckled a little, “And these are your cousins, AJ?”

AJ put a hand on each one’s head in turn, “Ashley. And Deanna.”

“Hello,” they both smiled cheerily.

Nick put his hand behind his head, “Kevin and Brian and Leighanne should be here soon…”

Howie smiled, “I can’t wait to see them, it’s been a while.”

AJ looked up at the hotel, “So Nick, what made you decide to come here? You’re not exactly a resort kind of person…”

Nick blinked, “I didn’t tell you?”

“No.”

Nick grinned, “You’ll love this…” Nick’s eyes narrowed, “There’s been talk on the internet…”

“It’s a good place to get your jollies on?” AJ laughed.

“No,” Nick glared at him, “And don’t interrupt, you’ll wreck my story!”

AJ laughed, “Please continue then.”

Nick’s eyes narrowed again, “There’s been talk on the internet… There’s a beautiful place with a dark secret…” Nick put his finger to his lips and grinned, “But no one knows what it is…”

Howie groaned, “Nick… What are you chasing this time?”

Nick turned and looked up at the hotel, “Murders, my friends, murders.”

Deanna shivered, “M-murders?”

AJ put his hand to his head, “How can you say it that way…?”

“This is a ghost hunt, gentlemen… And ladies…” Nick continued.

“G-ghosts?” Deanna shivered again.

“On the internet… They say, ‘The Mayan Princess is the scene of unexplainable mysteries’…” Nick turned back to them, “They say people are being killed mysteriously...”

Deanna put her hands to her face and shivered violently.

“Shining see-through shapes… Bleeding walls… hundreds dead… Murderous laughter… The air is filled with death and blood…” Nick began to laugh maniacally, then broke into a big grin, “So I came to check it out.”

AJ and Howie turned to each other, “I don’t know whether to laugh or sob uncontrollably…”

Ashley rolled her eyes. “What are you an idiot? Who would believe stupid rumors like that anyway?”

Paris laughed a little, “She’s right. They’re just silly stories, Nick.”

Nick crossed his arms and scowled.

AJ grinned, “All I care about is whether they have good food, not killer ghosts.”

“Oh my god!” Nick exclaimed, “Behind you!”

Deanna shrieked and latched on to Nick. Nick stared at her blankly. “Umm….”

“It’s a murdering ghost!” Deanna cried.

Ashley grew annoyed, “I see… I found the person who believes those stupid rumors…”

Nick smiled, “You’re scared of ghosts too, huh?”

Deanna sniffled, “You too?”

Ashley put her hand to her head, “If you’re scared of ghosts, why are we here?”

Nick blinked, “I like getting scared… As long as it’s not gremlins biting my toes, I’m just fine.”

“You’re scared of puppets…” Ashley stared at him blankly.

Deanna giggled a little, “I like that movie. They’re so cute before they get fed.” She unlatched herself from Nick.

Nick smiled, “It is a good movie, huh?”

Deanna frowned a little. Too bad… If you didn’t have a girlfriend… We’d really get along…

“Anyway,” Nick shrugged, “If it’s just a story like you guys were saying, then we don’t have anything to worry about.” Nick nodded. “Besides, all I was trying to tell you was that Kevin, Brian, and Leighanne are here.”
Chapter Two by nicksgal
Deanna blushed with slight embarrassment but shrugged it off almost immediately. Everyone turned their heads to see a very tall gentlemen, about 6'1 and a man with the same piercing blue eyes as Nick and shorter than the other with his arm wrapped around a very beautiful blonde.

"Hey everyone!" The other man with blue eyes smiled.

"Hey Bri, these are my cousins Ashley and Deanna", AJ pointed at each girl.

"Hi, it's nice to meet you", Deanna said.

"Likewise, this is my wife Leighanne and of course my cousin Kevin", Brian pointed towards Leighanne and Kevin.

"Hi, its very nice to meet you", Ashley gleamed and shook Kevin's hand. 'Wow, thank god he's single', she thought. After tucking a piece of hair behind her ear she turned to Leighanne, "It's nice to meet you as well."

After the final introductions an older man, most likely in his early 70's, came up to the group.

"Hello", he said, slightly louder than expected.

"Oh, hi! You scared us", Deanna said.

"Sorry, you've requested 4 rooms. Right?"

"No, I requested 5", Nick said.

"We have you down for four sir, and i'm afraid the other rooms are booked", the man spoke apologetically, "My name is Denny by the way. I'm the resort manager."

They looked at eachother and shrugged, "Its fine, we'll manage", Kevin said. Denny smiled and walked away after place the key cards in Kevin's hand.

"So, Bri and Leigh will have a room", he tossed a card to Brian, "Paris and Nick", he tossed the second to Nick, "Ash and Dee", he tossed the third card to Dee and stared down at the one in his hand, "AJ, Howie..looks like we're roommates."

Howie and AJ rolled their eyes in mock anger.

Ashley walked up to Kevin and smiled, "Has Nick given you the history of this fine resort?" She giggled.

"Yeah and personally, I think its nothing but a bunch of bull", he replied with a smile.

"Well then, join the club!"

"There's a club?" He asked.

"Yup, we have a secret handshake and everything", Ashley replied with sarcasm and giggled.

"You'll have to teach me that sometime", he smiled. His eyes glittered with the light of the hotel.

"Hey Ash, can I talk to you for a minute?" AJ called, Ashley knew what this was about and sighed.

"I'll see you soon", she smiled and patted his arm before walking to where AJ was standing with Dee.

"Okay, AJ. Lay the lecture on me", she stated.

"Forget it, you're not going to date Kevin and Dee..get Nick out of your head cos' it's not happening", he said sternly.

"First of all Alexander", Dee emphasized his full name, "We're adults. Who we like is none of your damn buisness. Besides, Nick is taken", she said.

"Not like that will stop you", Ashley muttered under her breath. Dee giggled.

"Kevin is way too old for you Ashley", AJ defended.

"You tried hooking one of us up with Howie. Hello, he's like Kevin's age!" Ashley said.

"One year older", Dee added. "I always knew since we're lacking in the big brother department that you'd take that position but its gotta stop Alex. We're freakin` adults and these are your friends. Out of any guy, you should want us to be with them cos' you trust them", Dee stated proudly.

"And its not like we're going to seduce them, take them to our room and have our way with them. We just met. Let me get to know Kev and see what happens", she reasoned, "The same goes for Dee."

"You two are impossible!" AJ said in defeat, "If he hurts you Ash, I don't care how much bigger he is than me I will kick his ass. And Dee..", he started but was interrupted.

"Save it, he's taken", Dee said firmly. The twins gave AJ a big hug and laughed as he pushed them away. Finally releasing himself from the strength of his cousins he walked away.
The girls reached their room and threw their bags on the two beds. Ashley let herself fall on the bed that beared her bags.

"He's so friggin` hott", Dee sighed.

"You're hooked", Ash said.

"He has a girlfriend", Dee repeated.

"That doesn't bother you", Ashley stated with a knowing smirk.

"So, what do you think about this resort?" Dee said quickly.

"It's nice..by the way, smooth way to change topic."

Dee rolled her eyes, "Whatever..you know what I mean. The history of 'The Mayan Princess, do you think its real?"

"Fake, of course", Ashley said nonchalantly.

"I don't know.."

"You're so superstitious!"

The girls' heads turned when they heard a knock at the door, "We're going to the pool, girls. Change and meet as back in the lobby!" Kevin called.

"It's him", Ashley whispered, "We'll be right out", she called back.

"And you say I'm hooked?" Dee smirked.

Ashley blushed, "The blue tankini or the lavendar bikini?"

"I'd say the bikini, but beware to endure another lecture from AJ", she said.

"I can handle it, how about you wear this one", Ashley offered, tossing her pink bikini that was decorated with gem stones to Dee.

"Thanks!"
Chapter Three by nicksgal
Ashley and Deanna walked down the hallway. They had wrapped their towels around their torsos to prevent themselves from being too provocative. The central corridors had no windows, so their path was darkened. At the end of the hallway stood a large, crystal window. The sun shone through it brightly onto the two people standing before it. Like fallen angels, they were shadowed in its light.

“You’re not coming?” a male voice asked sadly.

“No,” a female voice smiled, “I’m going to go into town to do some shopping.”

“But we’re here for a while, you can go shopping later,” the male offered.

“And I can go to the pool later too,” the female rolled her eyes.

“But…” the male protested.

“Have fun with your friends,” she waved as she walked down the stairs.

The man turned around and smacked his fist against one of the bars supporting the window. It rattled briefly from the impact.

“Don’t hurt yourself,” Deanna smiled, “You wouldn’t want to spend your vacation in the hospital.”

The man turned around and gave a half smile, “You’re right.”

“Oh, it’s Nick.” Ashley greeted.

Deanna brushed back Ashley’s hair and whispered
in her ear, “His smile is heavenly.” She giggled.
Ashley rolled her eyes and mumbled, “I told you a girlfriend wouldn’t stop you…”

Nick smiled again, “Ashley and Deanna, right? I’m so bad with names.”

Deanna nodded, “Yup, that’s us!”

Nick leaned against the window, “Will you be joining us in the pool?” His form began to lighten and for the first time, the girls noticed he was already wearing navy swim trunks with matching sandals and, much to Deanna’s surprise, was also shirtless.

Deanna blushed violently and wrapped her fingers around the top of her towel, “Yes, of course. Sunny days were just made for the water.”

Nick smiled again, “I think so too.”

Deanna looked down as her cheeks continued to pink. Had her bikini been visible beneath the towel, her cheeks would have resembled its shade.

Ashley repressed her laughter, “You know, we can talk outside when we’re at the pool. There’s no need to get it all out of the way here.”

Deanna growled under her breath, “You jerk, you just wanna see Kevin.”

Ashley winked, “You know me too well, let’s go.” She started to lead Deanna toward the stairs. “See you Nick,” she waved.

“Wait!” Nick called, straightening from his leaning position. He caught up to the two girls and put one hand on a shoulder of each girl, pulling them back toward him. “I’m all ready to go, why don’t we walk together?”

“Okay,” Deanna smiled, “Let’s go! Here we come, pool!”

Nick stifled laughter, “Is she always… so energetic?”

Ashley groaned, “If this bothers you, try living with
her…”

Nick smiled, “No… It’s very refreshing.”

“Come on! Come on!” Deanna prodded, “The pool can’t come to us! Let’s walk!”

In spite of themselves, Nick and Ashley both started laughing cheerily. Deanna’s enthusiasm was infectious.

~~~~


The sun sparkled as it shone down on the party occupying the pool, all eight of them. The remaining occupants of The Mayan Princess had either chosen their rooms as sanctuary from the sun, gone into the local town like Paris, or had not arrived yet. So, surprisingly, they had the pool to themselves. Ashley and Deanna had hopped in the moment they laid their eyes on the sparkling water. They took turns going off the diving board and leaping into the glistening waves of the pool. The five boys and Leighanne sat on lounge chairs and watched from the deck, some more intently than others…

“Sunny days were just made for women in swimsuits…” Nick sighed, his eyes on the twins.

Leighanne shoved him a bit, “You horny pervert.” She rolled her eyes and turned to him disdainfully, “Besides, they’re too young for you and you already have a girlfriend.”

“Well,” Brian laughed, “I’m not sure about their age, but you do have a girlfriend, Nick.”

“You said they were twenty-four, right AJ?” Howie questioned.

“They’re gonna get a lecture from me, what are they thinking dressing like prostitutes and jumping off the boards where everyone can see them?” AJ grumbled.

Nick leaned back on his hands, “It’s a good day to be alive…” He nodded.

Kevin put his head in his hand, “Nick… Didn’t we already agree that you have a girlfriend?”

“I’m not doing anything!” Nick protested, “Besides, looking is different from acting. I can look all I want.”

Leighanne chuckled quietly, “You know what they say about men whose eyes wander, Nick…”

Nick crossed his arms and scowled, “Why are you all ganging up on me? If I hadn’t invited you here, it’d just be me and Paris.”

“Paris who?” AJ joked, pretending to look for someone.

Nick shoved him, “Shut up!”

“Anyway, Nick,” Howie started, “You didn’t invite everyone here to enjoy a romantic resort. We’re here because you’re chasing crazy rumors on the internet.”

Brian nodded, “And they are crazy rumors. This place is beautiful, what makes you think it’s crawling with ghosts?”

Nick opened his mouth when Kevin interrupted him, laughing a bit, “Because he’ll believe anything he hears.”

Nick scowled again and was about to retort when he was interrupted by a dripping noise. His eyes widened, “You guys were saying, it’s—”

“Blood dripping from the walls,” Brian put his fingers near Nick’s face and grinned evilly.

“Murderers with knives?” Howie questioned.

“Blood drenched ghosts…” AJ put his hand on Nick’s neck.

Nick shuddered and covered his eyes with his hands. The others began laughing hysterically.

“Ah! I’m sorry!” a female voice exclaimed.

Nick looked up and met Deanna’s eyes. Water dripped from her swimsuit and down the curves of her body as she stood with her hands clasped near her face, which carried a worried expression. His cheeks darkened as he realized he had been jumping to conclusions.

“I didn’t mean to worry you…” Deanna stumbled on the words and looked down as she nervously wrung her hands.

Unable to meet her eyes, Nick’s dropped as well. The jewels on Deanna’s bikini glistened brightly in the sunlight, giving off radiant glows of color. “Uh huh, uh huh…” he nodded.

“Anyway…” she wrung her hands some more, “Are you going to come in, Nick? You said you like pools…”

Nick kept his gaze firmly glued as he continued to nod, “Uh huh, uh huh…”

“And it’s getting really hot out, the water’s really nice…” she continued to wring her hands. Her stomach was doing flips.

“Yes, yes, hot…” Nick agreed.

“So, you’re coming?” Deanna blinked.

Nick blinked his eyes a few times, in an obvious attempt to focus. “Yeah,” he smiled.

She smiled back at him.

Nick stood up from the lounge chair and gave the boys and Leighanne a wave resembling a salute. “Well, I’d love to stay and chat, but I’d better be going.” Nick’s grin covered the width of his face.

AJ stood up and grabbed Nick’s shoulder tightly, “If you do anything, you pervert…”

Nick glared at him, “Why am I a pervert? They’re my age…”

“You have a g—”

“Nick!!!” Deanna called. She smiled and waved as she stood on the edge of the deck.

“I’ll be there in a second,” Nick smiled, then turned back to AJ and shoved his hand off his shoulder, “Don’t think that way about me. Besides, I’d never act like a jerk to your relatives.” Nick headed toward the pool; his scowl faded back into a smile as Deanna cheerfully waved him over.

“I’m so happy you’re coming,” she grinned, “It’s so gloomy to have such a big pool with only tw—”

“BOO!” a laughing female voice cried out.

“Ghosts!!!” Deanna shrieked and jumped a little from the startle.

“It was a joke,” Ashley laughed.

“Ashie, you’re so mean!” Deanna exclaimed. Her foot hit the deck, however, since she had been standing on it for a while, it was covered in puddles of water. She lost her footing, like slipping on ice, and fell backward. She shrieked as she tumbled into the water.

Ashley raised her arm to her face to act as a shield from the splash. She clenched her eyes tightly as well, but laughed cheerily. A few moments later, she lowered her arm and opened her eyes. She blinked, “Deanna… Deanna…” She growled a little, “This isn’t funny! Come back up! Quit trying to scare everyone!” She blinked again as her voice lodged in her throat, “Come back up! Deanna!”

By this point everyone had stood up and was heading toward the pool. AJ was going at a quicker pace than the others. “Hang on, Deanna!” he called.

Nick had long since reached the edge of the pool. He clenched his fist, “Crap!”

“Deanna!!!” Ashley wailed. She opened her eyes long enough to see a male form dive into the water. She blinked and sniffled, “AJ?”

AJ leaned down and pulled Ashley up so that she was sitting on the edge of the pool, “No, but don’t you fall in too, okay?”

Ashley wiped her face with her hand and stared into the water. Everyone else’s gaze followed hers.

~~~~~


Deanna choked as her eyes blurred and the water swelled around her. She could only see a dark blue color spread across her field of vision. Darkness… And nothing else. Her breath shortened; she felt as if the water had wrapped its hands around her neck and refused to let go. What little air she retained escaped as she tried to cough out the water she had swallowed. The world around her was consuming her, she would become a part of it soon. A figure swam toward her, a… mermaid? She shut her eyes as the hands reached out for her. So warm, so soft, so peaceful… A bright light warmed her face. She opened her eyes slowly; the world in front of her was blurred and covered in white like a snowstorm. As she regained her vision, she began to cough. As drops of water fell from her face, she stared up into a crystal blue pair of eyes. They resembled the beautiful water that surrounded them. She blinked as her vision focused. Her savior’s damp blonde hair clung to their face just like their hands clung to her. She was pressed tightly against the pectoral muscles of her savior. Blonde? Blue-eyed? Man? She coughed once more and blinked, “Nick…?”

He smiled, “I’m glad… I got there in time.”

Her eyes shook as they began to fill with tears, “Thank you… I don’t know how to… I guess I owe you…”

Nick chuckled a little, “Don’t worry about it.”

Deanna raised her hand to his forehead and brushed his hair off his face. It became tousled; some pieces looked slicked up while others fell loosely about his face. “Wear your hair like that, okay?”

Nick stared at her blankly for a moment, then began to laugh. “Nothing gets you down, does it?”

“Nope,” she grinned, then turned to everyone sitting on the deck, “Who else is gonna come in?
The water’s great!” She smiled cheerfully.

“My God…” Nick stammered in amazement, “Someone could try to kill you and you’d just stand back up like nothing happened.”

“Deanna…” Ashley growled.

Deanna smiled, “What, Ashie my love?”

“How can you scare everyone half to death and then come up and act like nothing happened!?” Ashley exclaimed.

“Only half to death?” Deanna pouted, “I was at least looking for three quarters…”

Ashley growled, “I’m gonna get you…”

Deanna laughed, “Yay! You’re coming back in!”

Ashley stood up, “Of course I’m coming back in!” She plugged her nose and hopped into the pool.

Deanna grabbed onto Nick’s neck momentarily, but as soon as Ashley came back up, she hopped into the pool as well. Nick tried to grab for her, but she appeared a few feet from him. “Just come and get me!” she exclaimed, sticking her tongue out.

Ashley swam toward her and the two played a game of cat and mouse across the pool. Deanna laughed hysterically as Ashley growled and lunged for her. Deanna was her prey, but even after her experience, she still eluded capture.

AJ sat on his knees and sighed as he shook his head and put it into his hand, “My poor aunt… How did she raise those monsters?”

Nick stared at the girls bewilderedly as they chased each other. “There’s only one conclusion,” he paused, “God created twins to torture the rest of the planet.”
Chapter Four by nicksgal
Ashley giggled softly as she walked up the steps out of the pool. She figured she'd let Dee be alone with Nick..she also wanted to get to know Kevin some more. He was sitting on a lounge chair talking to Howie while Brian, Leighanne, AJ, Nick and Dee were all in the pool. Ashley approached the two men and smiled.

"Hello boys, mind if I join you?"

"Of course not", Kevin answered quickly. Ashley sat beside him and smiled.

"What are we talking about?" She asked.

"Recording the new album. We're going to get started after vacation", Howie replied.

"Thats nice", Ashley shivered. Her body was still soaked from being in the pool and it started getting a little breezy. Almost like Kevin could read her mind he wrapped his white beach towel around her.

"Thank you", she said.

AJ watched from the pool as he saw Kevin, Ashley and Howie talking and laughing. But especially he saw Kevin and Ashley flirting alot. He began to tread towards the pool stairs when he felt someone grab his arm.

"Looks like my cousin and your cousin are hitting off pretty well, huh?" Brian said with a smirk.

"She's sitting there fcukin half naked and lauging like a damn hyena!"

Brian flashed AJ a serious look, "Kev is a good guy AJ and you know it and so is Nick. Let Dee and Ashley breathe. My god!"

AJ sighed in defeat. He caught Kevin's glance and gave him a dirty look.

By now Ashley removed the towel and sat there in nothing but her bikini talking to Kevin. Howie had joined the others in the pool.

"So, how about you teach me that handshake", Kevin laughed.

"Alright, stand up", she smiled mischeviously.
She took his hand in her's and without being able to say a word he picked her up and threw her in the pool. After surfacing to the top she rubbed her eyes and frowned, "Hey! I was just dry", she laughed. Kevin jumped in next to her and within seconds he too surfaced.

"You looked too dry", he defended himself. She touseled his wet hair and pushed him under the water. "That's it!" Kevin smirked and swam towards Ashley. They swam around the pool chasing eachother until finally they became out of breath and stopped.

"I'll be right back", Ashley said. She swam towards Dee and Nick, "Psst, Dee come here", she waved her over.

"What?"

"Kevin is gorgeous, do you think he's interested?"

"Well, don't look now but he's staring at you", Dee smiled.

Ashley gleamed, "Okay, I need to go work a little more magic. I shall return", she smiled.

"You're back", Kevin said while hoisting himself to sit at the edge of the pool. Leaving just his legs to be in the water.

"Yes I am. Did you miss me?" She giggled.

Kevin nodded, "So, tell me about yourself Ashley."

"I'm 24, I graduated college three years ago, now I'm a branch manager at Enterprise. Dee is my only sibling and we share an apartment."

"Nice, nice. Are you with anyone?"

"Nope, me and my ex broke up about six months ago. Completely mutual", Ashley said while struggling to hoist herself out of the pool.

Kevin laughed at her attempts, "That's good. Mutual breakups are always better", he said while helping her out of the pool.

~~~


"Ash, you awake?"

"I am now, whats wrong?"

"Are you hungry? I'm hungry", Dee whined.

Ashley turned over to look at the digital clock on her hotel nightstand and sighed, "Its 2:30!"

"I'm starving. Isn't there a vending machine in the lobby?"

"Yeah.." Ashley said.

"Wanna get us something?"

"No!

"Please? I'll keep bothering you until you say yes", Dee warned.

"Fine!" Ashley rolled out of bed in her white mid-driff top and her green flannel pants. She put on her black fuzzy slippers and flashed Dee a dirty look before leaving the room. As Ashley walked down the hall to the staircase she felt like someone was watching her. She started to get a little nervous so she scurried down the steps. Sighing with relief as she saw the vending machine, she fiddled with the money and got two bags of potato chips. As the same feeling came over her she sprinted up the steps and ran head on into someone. Ashley fell hard on the ground.

"I'm sorry", she said as she got to her feet only to come face to face with the Denny, the older man from earlier. She started getting goosebumps and she felt very cold. It was an unexplainable feeling but either way she was spooked. This feeling was unfamiliar and she didn't feel right. Like there was someone else in that hallway beside herself and Denny.

"Are you alright sweetheart?" Denny asked.

"Yeah, I'm sorry", she said and started towards her room only to be pulled back by the old man.

"Be careful, strange and odd things happen here late at night. Disturb the dead, and they'll disturb you", he whispered. The sound of his voice and the feel of his breath on her made Ashley shudder. She tried to pull away but he had a tight grip.

"Let me go-", Ashley heard one of the room doors open.

"What's going on out here?" The male voice asked. He walked out of his hotel room in nothing but army green shorts.

"Nothing", Denny quickly let go of Ashley, "I'll see you folks, tomorrow. Have a good night." He quickly walked towards the steps and disappeared in the darkness.

Ashley shuddered and stared at her feet, "Thanks", she wrapped her arms around herself.

"Did he do anything to you? Are you okay?" He touched her shoulder and felt the goosebumps that had formed.

"Yeah..I'm umm..fine..", she studdered.

Kevin grabbed both of her upper arms gently, "Are you sure? You look pretty shooken up." Ashley looked up at him, letting her brown eyes connect with his green eyes.

"I'm positive", she smiled, "Just tired. Thank you very much and I'll see you in the morning. Good night."

"Night", he said walking back to his door. He made sure she got inside before going into his room.

"Finally! Remind me to never ask you for food when I'm dying of starvation", Dee replied sarcastically.

"You won't believe what just friggin` happed..", Ashley started to tell Dee exactly what happened between her and Denny. Ending her story with Kevin helping her.

"Now do you believe what Nick says about this place?"

Ashley shook her head, "I'm not convinced. That guy is just lonely and old and a slight bit perferted. It doesn't mean anything."

"What about what he said about 'the dead'?"

"He was saying that to live up to this hotel's legend. It means absolutely nothing. Now if you don't mind I'd like to get to sleep."

There was about ten minutes of complete silence in the room until Dee spoke, "How do you explain all of a sudden getting cold?"

"Its summer..this place is air conditioned..and I'm in a top that bears practically my whole stomach. Is that enough of an explanation?"

"When there is a ghost present you always tend to get cold. Its a sign, I read that in a book.." Dee said.

"GOODNIGHT DEANNA", Ashley stated firmly. She just wanted to let go what happened. It made her uncomfortable. 'It wasn't a ghost just a wierd and perverted old man..', she thought and even convinced herself to believe that.
Chapter Five by nicksgal
“Ashie?” Deanna asked nervously, “Ashie?” The darkness in the room surrounded her whole. It was an ominous smog. The world around her was quiet and still. She could not even hear her sister’s breathing. Her heart pounded faster. She tried to silence it by holding her breath, but it still sprung through. She choked. Sweat started pouring down her cheeks. The room was too dark, too cold, too lonely… Too scary! She stood up hurriedly and leaned against the door. Her paisley green snoopy pajama bottoms shook with her legs as she shivered. Her blue cami barely covered her. She slipped on her flip-flops and opened the door slowly. She paused for a moment and bit her lip. Perverts were about… She grabbed one of Ashley’s shoes. She would not miss it in her slumber. She held the shoe close to her face as she walked carefully down the hall. Her arms twitched and shook as she struggled to calm her pounding heart. She managed to make it to the stairs that headed toward the lobby. She put her hand on the railing and tiptoed down them. She did not sense any person or thing about, but the darkness was ominous. It followed her every footstep. She managed to make it to the pool outside and pulled her legs up on a lounge chair. The darkness could not hurt her there; the moon was too bright, too full. Its light surrounded her fully, bathing her whole body in it. She gazed up at it and longingly wished for the sun. If only… If only daybreak would just come… She shut her eyes momentarily and felt a presence surrounding her. Her hands shook as arms wrapped around her. Who was this? She remembered Ashley telling her about the perverted old man. She threw up the shoe and shrieked, “PERVERT!”

“P-pervert?” a male voice stammered. They let out a sigh and flopped down next to her, “You think so too, huh?”

Deanna opened an eye slightly. “Nick…?”

Nick looked up at the moon as he leaned back on his hands. His black boxers rested against his legs as his opened yellow collard shirt flapped lightly in the breeze. “The moon’s really full tonight… You… couldn’t sleep either?”

“Ashie was awake… Then she was asleep… The room was too big… And too dark…” Deanna replied. She looked at her hands, too embarrassed to turn toward Nick.

“The dark scares me too,” Nick smiled.

Deanna turned to him and blinked her eyes.

Nick chuckled a little, “You know… It’s funny. From the moment I met you today, it really seemed like we would get along.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Sure you were scared half to death,” Nick chuckled, then looked her directly in the eyes, “But you were the only one who believed what I said at all.”

“I’m a little… superstitious you could say…” Deanna admitted, blushing.

“I may act like the stupid one…” Nick continued.

“You stupid? I don’t think so,” Deanna shook her head.

Nick chuckled again, “Thanks…” He cleared his throat, “I can tell the difference between a rumor and reality. This place is so beautiful, it’s the vacationer’s dream. It’s usually impossible to get four rooms on such sort notice.” He put his hand to his mouth and mumble, “Even though I reserved five…”

“She was cold…”

“What?” Nick blinked.

“I made Ashley go get something to eat… I was hungry… She said she suddenly felt cold… And… not alone… She blamed it on her clothing and the perverted old resort manager, but… he told her not to disturb the dead during the night…” Tears formed in her eyes, “I don’t know why… She said he was living up to the legend but… You were so sure it was true… It’s so scary…” She began to sob uncontrollably. She put her hands to her face and wailed.

Nick bit his lip and pulled her into his embrace. His arms were warm and it was a peaceful feeling. He was like a shield, protecting her from the darkness and the rumor, not to mention the perverts. A few more tears lapped her cheeks as her wailing subsided. Nick pulled up her chin and smiled, “Will you listen to the rest of what I was going to say?”

Deanna sniffled and nodded.

Nick pulled her back toward him, “I feel so connected to you…” Nick held her cheeks and stared into her brown eyes. His crystal blue eyes seemed to pierce through her soul. If he looked into them, he could see her heart, and right through her. Deanna swallowed hard to calm the butterflies in her stomach. She turned her eyes away, but he pulled them right back. His eyes were like a magnet, drawing her in no matter how much she struggled. “If only…” he started. He cupped his hand around her cheek and brushed away her lingering teardrops. “If only AJ had introduced us sooner… If only…” Nick let go of her cheek and clenched his hand into a fist. His eyes followed suit. He let out a low cough as he cleared his throat and grabbed her shoulders forcefully, “If only I wasn’t with Paris!” Nick pulled her toward him, back into his warm embrace. He pulled her face toward him and leaned toward her. “Then we could be together…” he whispered. Their lips met.

Like his arms, his lips were also warm as he held her close. His lips caressed her as a warm glow surrounded her. She felt all the darkness and all her fear wash away as he held her; he was her protector from the horrors of this place, death and darkness. His arms kept her safe and she only wanted to be in them forever. She clenched her eyes shut, “If this is a dream…” she whispered to herself, “Don’t let me wake up… Don’t let me wake up…”

Nick opened his eyes and pulled away from her, he stood up hurriedly. “I’m sorry… Forget I said anything…”

Deanna’s hand shook as she reached out for Nick’s arm. Her eyes shook as tears formed in them, “Please… Don’t leave me alone… It’s… So scary…”

Nick sat back down and pulled her close to him once more. Nick felt her warm body in his arms. She was so cute, she was beautiful… She believed in him, like no one else… She… shared his beliefs…. Nick clenched his eyes shut. That kind of woman couldn’t be real, soul mates did not exist… Nick yearned to open his eyes; they shook from his deep desire. But… but if she did not exist… Then she would be gone when he opened them… He let in a breath and wrapped his arms around her tighter. He would never let her go… Never…

“How cute,” a female voice chuckled, “Lovers…”

Nick’s eyes shot open as he jumped up, “Paris! I can explain! It’s just we’re both scared of the dark so…” Nick looked around and was met with only emptiness, the closest person to him was Deanna, “So…”

Deanna hands rattled violently as she neared them to her face. “Nick…” her voice shook violently.

Nick looked to see a glowing form rise from the pool. A maiden dressed in pure white materialized from a glowing orb of light. Glowing ribbons surrounded her as she held her arms close to her body. The air grew colder. They both shivered intensely. Nick’s collard shirt flapped violently as the wind increased. He held his arms in a cross shape and put them near his face as he clenched his eyes shut. Deanna shook as she sat on the lounge chair. “Deanna…” Nick’s voice shook, “Get behind me… Hurry…”

Deanna crawled behind Nick and held on to him tightly from behind. She clenched her eyes shut.
Nick opened his eyes slightly and turned toward the glowing figure, “Don’t… She’s not my lover!”

The woman sneered, “I felt your heart surging… Don’t lie to me!”

Nick was pushed backward by a large gust of wind. The woman rose from the water and drew closer to them. Nick growled as he put down his arms and grabbed Deanna’s hand. “RUN!”

Nick and Deanna sprinted toward the entrance back to the hotel from the pool. They were running purely on adrenaline. Their bodies were so weak. Deanna’s heart pounded erratically as she tried to keep up with Nick. His grip was fearsome, but his legs were too fast. She felt as if her fingers would break. Nick reached the door and pulled on it desperately. It would not open. Was it locked? Or was it the wind tunnel the woman was making? Nick growled and pulled on the door with more force. It was unbendable, hard as diamond. Nick looked to both sides then turned to Deanna. “It won’t budge! We have to go around!”

Deanna’s heart beat so wildly and loudly, she could not hear a word Nick said. Her whole body shook as she used all her strength to grip his hand. Nick grabbed her hand tighter and prepared to run away as the ghost stood only a few feet from him. She sneered as her eyes narrowed and she grew ablaze with rage. “Lovers will not be allowed to live! To love means to die!”

Nick clenched his eyes shut. No time! There was no more time! Nick clenched his free hand into a fish and punched the door. The glass shattered into hundreds of pieces. He pulled Deanna thorough the shattered door. He breathed heavily as her body began convulsing. Nick swallowed and pulled her close to protect her, but… The strain on her body was too much, she fainted in his arms. He held her tightly, but her skin and clothing were covered in blood. Nick’s hand shook as he pulled it toward him. He had smashed the door open, but… He paid the price. The pain was unbearable. The sight of the blood drenched hand made him sick to his stomach. He sunk to his knees.

“Self sacrifice for love,” the woman laughed, “That’s pathetic! You will die together!”

Closer… And closer… Nick’s vision became blurry. The blood flowed off his hand and on to the floor in puddles. They splashed every time a new drop was added. Nick winced. In the last moment of his clear vision, the walls dripped blood for only a moment. He choked as the alarm sounded. The glowing figure vanished before his eyes. Nick tried to wipe away the cloud from his eyes, but his only free hand was bloodstained. A streak of red covered his face across his eyes. It almost resembled paint in appearance. Nick tried to hold on to Deanna, but he was slowly loosing his strength. He had said something earlier… The legend of this place… Shining see-through shapes… Bleeding walls… Nick coughed as he fell to the floor. How could they tell him it was a lie? The Mayan Princess was the scene of unexplainable mysteries… The air was filled with death and blood…
Chapter Six by nicksgal
The loud, continuous buzzing of the alarm startled Ashley out of her peaceful slumber. As soon as she was able to comprehend what the annoying sound was she rolled out of bed hurriedly and slid on her slippers for the second time that night. Not caring that she was still in her mid-driff and green flannel pants. She shot a look over to Dee's bed making sure she was awake as well. Nobody was there.

"Dee!?!" Ashley called, the panic was obvious in her voice, "DEE!?!?!"

Ashley paced around the room trying to figure out where Dee could be. Then she heard a man running down the hall saying something that made her heart feel like it would stop.

"A young boy and girl was attacked!" The frantic man yelled.

Ashley ran out of her room being pushed and shoved in every direction imaginable. She struggled through the people running out their rooms and towards the stairs until the last man to push her made her fall to the ground. Everyone was in such a frenzy and panic that they didn't hear her cries for help. Finally, she was pulled to her feet by someone and he held her close while pushing through everyone until they both made it to the bottom of the stairs. Ashley whipped her head around, setting her eyes on her helper for the first time. Those green eyes pierced through her and she started to cry. Ashley tried to make herself stop but it was no use. She wrapped her arms around him and cried, he just held her close. He played with her long brown hair and rubbed her back.

"Dee is gone, where is she!?!" Ashley asked, and just as the words left the tip of her tongue she turned around and saw a crowd of people gathered around what looked to be two nurses. Ashley immediately pushed her way through, not caring if she was annoying people. Kevin tried to stop her but it was too late she already saw the nurses lifting the two bodies who appeared to be barely alive on stretchers. They were both covered in blood.

"DEE!" Ashley screamed, sinking to the floor.

Kevin ran to pick her up and pulled her back to where the others were waiting.

"Ashley, are you okay?" AJ asked, embracing her in a hug.

"Is she okay? Is he okay?" She asked, tears rolling down her cheeks.

"She'll be just fine, they both will. They're just knocked out from exhaustion. We can see them as soon as the nurses are done looking at them. In the mean time i'm going to get on the phone with the airport and book us an immediate flight back home. Then when they wake up i'm gonna find out why Dee left her room this late", he said, pulling away from her and wiping away a few of her tears. Ashley smiled faintly then returned to the others. She saw Paris looked scared and nervous. She gave her a tight hug and consoled her the best she could when in reality Ashley was just as scared.

"Excuse me! Can I have all of your attention?" Denny said, clearing his throat, "Unfortunately none of you will be able to leave any time soon. There is a huge rain storm heading our way and they believe it will be a bad one. Lots of flooding and other kinds of damage. Therefore, all flights have been cancelled whether they were coming or going. Sorry for the inconvenience. Our security guards are all over the resort. No need to worry unless we tell you too", with that Denny walked into his office shutting the door. AJ had slammed his cell phone shut after the fifth attempt of using it. But the line was dead. He strutted towards Denny's office and pounded on the door.

"I just wanna go home", Ashley whispered.

"Why don't we go outside for some fresh air", Kevin offered gently. Ashley nodded in aggreement and they walked outside towards the pool not knowing this was where Nick and Dee were attacked. Kevin sat down on a chair and pulled Ashley onto his lap. For the first time that night she giggled.

"Kev?"

"Yeah?"

"What do you think attacked them?" Ashley asked.

"I don't know..you don't think it was..do you?"

"No, not a ghost! I told you that stuff is just ridiculous! But if it was an actual person I don't feel right being alone in my room for the rest of the night", Ashley admitted.

"I'll stay with you if you want", he yawned, "Damn, 3:30 already?" He said looking down at his digital wrist watch.

"Yeah", Ashley shivered. Kevin pushed her gently to lay against him and he wrapped his arms around her.

AJ went back towards the group of his friends with anger written all over his face. After looking around a little bit he realized Ashley was missing.

"Where's Ashley?" He asked nervously.

"I don't know, she was talking to Kevin right here, no more than ten minutes ago", Howie said.

"Sh!t", he muttered. AJ ran around the hotel like a chicken without a head looking everywhere for her. He was scared to death that she too was hurt.

"It's pretty chilly out here, wanna go inside?" Kevin asked.

"Yeah."

Ashley got up off Kevin's lap and stretched her arms out. As Kevin stood up he placed his hands on her small waist and lifted her chin to face him.

"You're okay, right?"

"Honestly Kev, no i'm not. I got so scared when I didn't see Dee sleeping then I heard what that guy said and I freaked out. I'm so scared, what if she..", he interrupted her.

"Don't say that", he placed his hands on her small waist, "She and Nick will be fine." Without giving it a thought he leaned in and kissed her. They both knew it was too soon but they didn't care. After a few minutes they pulled away, smiling.

"Do you..umm..wanna go back?" Kevin smiled and nodded. He wrapped his arm around her waist and they walked back to where they had left the rest of the group.

"ASHLEY!!!" AJ spat angrily, "Where the fcuk were you!?!"

"I was by the pool with Kevin..", she said softly.

"The pool!?!?! Have you lost your fcukin mind!? That's where Dee and Nick were attacked by only God knows what!" His voice was thick with anger.

"I'm..sorry..I didn't know", she said softly looking down.

AJ walked towards her and pointed his finger at her, "No. You just were thinking! I can't believe there is some freak out on the loose and you're going for a stroll with him!?! Totally forgetting what we talked about talked about earlier, right!?!?!"

"I.."

"AJ, leave her alone!" Kevin said, sternly.

"No! Not to mention you're half naked! You really disappointed me!" He said angrily, still pointing his finger stiffly at her.

Ashley for the first time since he started yelling she looked him in the eye, Kevin went to say something but Ashley silenced him by just pushing him gently away.

"YOU LISTEN TO ME FOR ONCE ALEX! I'M SORRY THAT DEE AND I DON'T DRESS TO THE AMISH CODE, I'M SORRY THAT WE WEAR CLOTHES THAT ARE IN NOW, I'M SORRY WE FLIRT, I'M SORRY WE ANNOY AND I'M SORRY THAT WE PISS YOU OFF!" Ashley spat in a whisper that was forced. But soon her expression softened and tears welled up in her eyes. "I'm sorry that I worried you and I am truly, deeply sorry for disappointing you. Believe me if I knew you'd say that I would have never left without telling you. I hate disappointing you. But I am not sorry for having feelings for Kevin. He's a good guy and you have to look beyond this protective bull..we appreciate that you care and worry about us. Its fine to protect us, but you've got to know when to let us breathe. Good night!", her tone had softened. She turned and ran up the stairs to her room, slamming the door shut behind her.

Ashley curled up in her bed and cried. Letting the fear of possibly losing Dee and the feeling of failure that she disappointed AJ go in tears. She cried for at leat 15 minutes straight. Once finally gain some of her composure she rolled out of bed and walked into the bathroom. She looked down and let the faucet run. She splashed water on her face and once she dried her face she saw a message on the mirror that made her face drop, her eyes widen, and her the mouth went dry. She was paralyzr by fear as she read the message that was written in blood. It dripped down the mirror slowly.

"Now do you believe..Ashley?"

Ashley stood there, unable to move until finally she felt like she could breathe again and let out a high pitched scream.

"That was Ashley!" Kevin said. He sprinted up the steps followed closely by AJ and the others. They pushed the door open and saw Ashley backing out of the bathroom with her hand tightly clasped over her mouth.

"Ash..what happened?" AJ asked, she said nothing. She just pointed towards the bathroom. AJ and the others walked into the bathroom. Their faces went pale as they read the blood written message. Neither of them could figure out what was scarier. Was it the fact that whoever wrote it new Ashley's name? Or who's blood is was written in?
Chapter Seven by nicksgal
The silence in the dark was almost deafening. The blood continued to flow down the mirror and into the sink. The drain was burgundy; darkness mixed with blood, the color of ominous death. Ashley gripped on to AJ, though Kevin was also in the close vicinity. AJ blinked in shock. Could Nick be right? The mirror, at least, was dripping blood. AJ clenched his eyes shut and shook his head, trying to toss the notion from his head. It was only an internet rumor. And how true can those stories be? A knock sounded. In the heaviness of their pounding hearts, all present jumped and let out small gasps. Their hearts started to race as Howie opened the door slowly. Before him stood the tanned old man with the face of leather. His white hair stuck out unexpectedly from a few scattered places. Howie breathed in a sigh of relief.

"So sorry to frighten you," Denny bowed.

Howie's breathing calmed, "It's fine."

"I came to inform all of you that your friends are awake."

Ashley appeared next to Howie in an excited jump. Her face lit up, "Dee's okay!" She hugged the nearest person to her, Howie. Howie stepped backwards from the shock.

Everyone filed out of the room as Ashley let go of Howie. As Ashley closed the door to the room, she shook off the notion of the hotel being haunted. It was only her imagination playing tricks on her and nothing more. At that moment, Denny grabbed her arm hurriedly. Ashley gasped.

"I told you not to disturb the dead…" he whispered. Ashley tried to pull her arm away quickly, but the elder gentleman refused to release her from his grip. "Why did you deny it?"

Ashley's voice shook as she tried to regain control of her arm, "Don't touch me…"

Kevin pulled her away again, "C'mon Ashley, let's go see Nick and Deanna." He turned to Denny, "Thank you for letting us know, but don't scare everyone any more. There's been enough commotion today." Kevin's piercing green eyes were stern, matching the firmness in his voice. He pulled Ashley down the hallway and to the shadowed staircase, following the others. They left Denny standing in front of Ashley and Deanna's room shivering in his three piece navy suit.

~~~~


The seven of them entered a pale white room. Everywhere, medical equipment adorned the tables and walls. Two cots lay with their heads resting against the east wall. On those cots lay two people, one blonde and male, the other brunette and female. The blonde male was the first to see them coming and sat up with a big smile plastered on his face.

"Welcome to the party!" Nick grinned, laughing.

Paris slapped Nick. Nick sniffled a little and grabbed his throbbing cheek. Her hit was like ice and left a red mark across Nick's cheek. "What was that for?" Nick whined.

"You scared me half to death!" Paris shrieked.

"Only half?" Nick smirked, "I was hoping for at least three quarters…"

"You joke thief…" Deanna whined as she sat up.

"Flattery is the sincerest form of compliment," Nick stuck his tongue out.

They both started laughing when Ashley darted from the door and wrapped her arms around Deanna. "OHMYGODDEE!!!!!!!!!!!!" she wailed "I was so scared!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't know what I would do without you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Deanna wrapped her arms around her twin. Their embrace was whole, complete, and sincere. Twins should always be together, they should never be apart, and neither one should ever be in pain. "It's okay," Deanna smiled, "I was scared too. I thought that maybe, if we were in trouble… You were too…"

AJ leaned over, "Speaking of getting into trouble, what exactly were you doing outside of your room at this ungodly hour, hm?"

"Ummmm… I'm scared of the dark…" Deanna mumbled.

"Repeat that," AJ told her.

"Ashie fell asleep when I was awake and the room was too big, so I got scared of the dark, okay?" Deanna replied with an annoyed tone.

"And how did you end up with her?" Paris put her hands on her hips and turned to Nick. Her eyes narrowed at she glared at him.

Nick put his hands up in defense, "You know I'm scared of the dark!" He rolled his eyes, "Anyway, I went outside for some air and found her sitting by the pool."

"Why were you outside alone!?" AJ scolded.

"The moon was outside, it wasn't dark there…"

"Who attacked you, some pervert?!"

"No…"

"Was it you?!" AJ turned to Nick suddenly.

"No!" Nick interjected.

"I told you to stay away from this pervert!" AJ yelled, pointing at Nick.

"Hey…" Nick growled. He latched his wounded hand on to AJ's shoulder. His face was filled with rage and covered in an ugly grimace. "I didn't do anything…" Nick paused and turned his head away.

Deanna blushed a little. So he forgot for a moment… That they should always be together as well…

Brian chuckled a little, "I like the 'war paint,' Nick."

"What war paint?"

Brian brushed his finger across the width of Nick's face over his eyes.

Nick pondered for a moment. "I must have wiped my hand on it." He started laughing, "I couldn't see, I think I got a little lightheaded."

Howie blinked, "Since when did lightheadedness become a joke?"

Kevin let out a breath, "And how did your hand start bleeding anyway?"

Nick scanned the room. It was the same as before… Medical instruments, white walls, emptiness… "A spirit appeared from the pool."

"What?" Paris started laughing, "That's crazy Nick!"

Nick's eyes lowered, "You all still think I'm crazy…"

Ashley bit her lip. She wondered if she should tell him about the mirror… The blood… What would he say? She had been the first to chastise him, but… What would he think when she suddenly defended him? No… No! It was just a silly little trick, someone's gimmick. Only a joke. It was only a joke.

AJ blinked, "Ummm… You know, in…" He paused.

"What?"

AJ shook his head, "No, nevermind. Get back to your hand…"

Nick looked at his hand for a moment, his voice lowered. "There was no time to get away… It was too fast… It wasn't safe… The door was locked… The only way back in…" Nick adverted his eyes from them, "…Was through the glass…"

Brian stepped back and put his hand to his chest. His eyes grew wide as he coughed, "You punched the window paneling!?"

Nick nodded.

"A little wimp like you?!" Brian laughed.

Nick hit him with his injured hand, then winced.

Brian chuckled and gave him a noogie. "Nick, forget about these nutty ghost stories, get some rest, okay? And…" Brian winked, "Stopped smacking people around with that hand, okay?"

Paris turned her head and looked back at Nick only with her concerned eyes. "Are you… coming back up?" She blinked and bit her lip a little.

"No…" Nick shook his head, "I should probably stay here, heal up a little bit, you know?" Brian, Leighanne, and Paris turned to leave the room.
Nick let out a chuckle, "Hey Brian… I'll remember what you said." He winked.

Brian laughed as the three of them headed out the door.

"Are you hurt, Dee?" Ashie blinked.

Deanna shook her head, "No, only my nerves are overworked." She cracked a tiny smile.

Ashley hugged Deanna again as a few tears slid from her eyes.

"Ahem," a male voice coughed.

Ashley jumped in surprise and turned around quickly, Denny stood before them again.

"Sorry to keep appearing so suddenly, but the hospital wing can no longer accept visitors," he told them kindly.

Kevin nodded, "Sounds right. We should probably go."

AJ turned to Ashley, "I'll stay with you tonight, Ash. There's no way I'm letting you sleep alone." Ashley nodded. AJ turned to Nick and Deanna, "There's a report of severe rainstorms and possible flooding. The minute that stops, we're all out of here. Got that, Nick? Your little mystery hunt is ending now."

Nick nodded, "Sounds good. I need to go back home and catch up on some gaming anyway."

Deanna laughed.

"I'll be back, first thing tomorrow," Ashley told her sternly.

Deanna smiled, "I'll be waiting for you."

Denny bowed and followed the three of them out of the room.

Deanna lay back over and covered her eyes with her arm. "Nick… Do you think that was really a ghost?"

Nick shook his head as he lay back down, "I'm not so sure anymore… I thought so, but… Maybe everyone's right, and we're just… seeing things we want to believe are there."

"No," Deanna shook her head firmly, "The stories have to be true. I still believe you."

Nick chuckled a little, closing his eyes, "Well, at least someone still believes me."

"Nick?" Deanna asked.

Nick turned to her and smiled, "What?"

"Will you hold my hand?" Deanna stuttered.

"Sure, why?" Nick wrapped his fingers around her outstretched hand.

"If I know you're still here, then it's not so dark and scary anymore."

Nick chuckled again, resting his eyelashes on his cheeks, "You really are hopeless, aren't you Deanna?"

Deanna giggled, "I'm afraid so."

"Love you," Nick whispered.

Deanna closed her eyes and responded only with a slight squeeze of her hand. The darkness crowded around them, their only visitor. But, they had nothing to be afraid of. As long as they were together, as long as they could still feel each others' pulse… each others' blood… emanating through their hands, then everything was okay. A raspy breathing entered the room, but they were unaware. Their minds had shut out everything except the touch of the others' hand.

The raspy breathing flowed into a raspy voice, "Too many people have learned the secret, thanks to your meddling. Now… you will never leave here alive."
Chapter Eight by nicksgal
Ashley, AJ, Howie and Kevin headed up the stairs to their rooms. The commotion of the night finally hit them and they dragged their feet, exhausted. Once they reached the far end of the hall where their rooms were they came to a stop. AJ turned to Dee and Ash's room.
"Night Kev, Night Howie", he said.
"AJ, no", Ashley grabbed his arm and look up at him with pleading eyes, "I don't want to sleep in here tonight. Let's go to your room. Please."
"Fine, I'll go clean up the mess in there. Wait outside, right here", he ordered.
"No! Are you crazy. Whoever is doing this to us knows we're in that room. We'd be stupid to go back in there. Just leave it." Ashley hissed.
"She's right, AJ." Kevin added.
"Alright, come on", AJ grabbed Ashley's arm and led her into their room,"I'm gonna go change. I'll be right back." AJ said, turning into the bathroom.
Ashley wrapped her arms tightly around herself and sighed. Without thinking she fell onto Kevin's bed and curled up in a ball.
"Ash, do you really wanna test AJ right now?" Howie warned.
"We talked earlier", she yawned, "I'm a big girl, I don't need him telling me what to do." She closed her eyes and fell asleep instantly.
Kevin looked over at Howie and shrugged with a smirk, "He'll get over it", he said. Kevin removed his t-shirt and got under the blankets next to Ashley. Instantly she cuddled against him and he wrapped his arm around her, closing his eyes.
AJ walked out of the bathroom and looked towards Kevin's bed, clenching his fists. He nudge Kevin and glared at him.
"AJ, what the..?? Ashley fell asleep here, I wasn't going to move her after the night we all had. I'm fcukin tired as well, I don't need to deal with your sh!t right now! Get over the fact that we like eachother right now!" He hissed as softly as possible, not wanting to wake Ashley up.
"You try anything and I..", AJ started but Kevin interrupted him.
"Good night AJ", in a firm tone which matched the look in his eyes.
.::.::.::.
Ashley was relieved that she had waken up before AJ. She was definately in no mood for a lecture. All she wanted to do was go see Dee. It was already 8AM. She looked over at Kevin and smiled, remembering the feeling that she had when he held her. She felt invincible almost like nothing could harm her as long as we was there. Ashley smiled again and lightly kissed Kevin's cheek. She rolled out of bed and began waking the three men up.
"Wake up!" She said in a sing song voice.
She looked out the window and heard the thunder and monsooning rain coming down hard, "Well, here's the storm", she mumbled.
Once everyone was done getting dressed and ready , they met up in the lobby again. Everyone looked exhausted and disheveled. Nobody got enough sleep that night but with all the problems from the night before it was impossible to do so.
"Anyone sleep good?" AJ asked, while walking towards the hospital wing. The group just yawned and shook their head. Ashley had her arm linked with Kevin's as they walked into the room where Nick and Dee were sleeping. As they walked in Paris's face fell when she saw them sleeping, their fingers interlocked together. She nudged Nick awake causing both to open their eyes.
"Hey guys!" Nick said.
"Hi!" Ashley ran to Dee's side and gave her a tight hug, "I have so much to tell you", she whispered in her ear.
"How's your hand, Nick?" Kevin asked.
"Okay, it still hurts but I'll live", he laughed.
"Well, now that I know you'll live let me ask you this. WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HOLDING HER HAND?"
"She was scared!" Nick defended.
"Don't give me that sh!t, that's all you've been saying since we talked last night!"
"It's true", Dee chimed in. Paris rolled her eyes and walked out of the hospital room.
"Is she always this pleasant in the morning?" Ashley said sarcastically.
.::.::.::.
"I slept in AJ, Kev, and Howie's room and I was going to sleep in AJ's bed but I slept with Kevin.." Ashley whispered softly, not wanting Nick to hear. Even though he was oblivious to everything considering the heated discussion he and Paris were having.
Dee's eyes widened, "With AJ in the SAME room!?"
"No, stupid! I just slept in bed with him. We didn't do anything!"
"Oh, I was gonna say..", she started but was interrupted by the hospital door opening. It was the old, leather faced man again.
"Hello, how are you two feeling?" He said.
"Fine, just tired. When can we leave?" Dee asked.
"Not for awhile, the storm will keep going for the rest of the day and possibly into the night", he said, trying to conceal a smirk.
"Well, I better tell the others", Ashley said. Walking hastily to the door and as she opened it and made her way out she felt a tight grip on her hand. Once again it was Denny.
"You can't deny them. The ghosts will have you and your friends, there's no point in running." His tone was a raspy whisper causing Ashley to shudder and the hairs on her arms to raise.
"Let me go..", Ashley heard footsteps behind her and was met with Kevin. Denny pushed her arm causing her to stumble back.
"Denny, you keep showing up out of nowhere and scaring people. Get over it, this hotel's legend is fake", he said sternly. Denny shook his head and as he walked away he mumbled, "You'll be sorry. You all will."
Ashley wrapped her arms tightly around him and shivered, "You're freezing", he said.
"Yeah, I don't know why..", she started, recognizing this feeling.
"I'm gonna go to the hotel's gym. There's nothing better to do and the rain doesn't look like it will be stopping anytime soon."
"Kevin, wait. Something about Denny is strange, I get this wierd feeling when I'm around him", she admitted.
"Yeah, he's a perv", Kevin said.
"No, I mean he's strange. He says all this stuff about the dead. Like, how they'll disturb us. Or something like that..anyways, what about what happened to Nick and Dee? Huh?"
"They were seeing what they wanted to see, it was nothing."
"No! It doesn't make sense, Dee wouldn't lie about that. She's a scaredy cat..well so am I..but anything to do with something like that she would never lie about."
"You're letting your fear get to you", he hugged her tightly.
"KEVIN", frustration overwhelmed her, "That message on the mirror? That was my name! Kevin, whoever wrote that wrote it in REAL blood. I thought it was a joke but it's not. That blood was real!"
"So what're you saying? You actually believe all that crap Nick was saying?"
"I'm not saying I believe it but what I am saying is we should not write Nick's internet stories off..just yet. We never let him finish so let's just hear him out", the exasperation was clear in her tone of voice.
"We'll talk to Nick later. I'm going to the gym, do you want to come with me?"
"Will you help me get the rest of them to talk to Nick?" Kevin nodded, and they walked towards the gym.
Kevin was on one end lifting weights while Ashley was on the other end running on the treadmill. Every once in awhile they would look at eachother and smile. Ashley began to relax considering nothing wierd or scary has happened since her last encounter with Denny. She thought this a little too soon, though. As she ran, she increased her speed just a little to go into a fast jog. As her time progressed she saw the treadmill going faster without her pressing any buttons. Ashley went to press the off the button but something held her wrists against the upper bars of the treadmill. An unexplainable, invisible force held her wrists down tightly. She couldn't break free at all and she begen to panic when she felt herself loosing her balance.
"KEVIN!" She screamed. Kevin whipped his head around and dropped the weights, sprinting as fast as he could across the gym. He tried to pry Ashley's arms off of the bars but it was impossible.
"Let go!" He yelled. The lights began to flicker until they went out completely. It made no sense, the lights were out but the treadmill was still going.
"I can't!" The treadmill was now going as fast as the speed of light and Ashley felt like her heart was beating against her ribs. She swallowed the dry, bitter taste of fear until she lost her balance completely and fell. She slid off the treadmill and her back slammed against the wall. Kevin ran to her side and held her in his arms. Ashley vision went blurry and then went black. The walls around Kevin and her seemed to be closing in and thru the darkness he saw a liquid dripping down the walls. A little splashed against his arm and it was warm.
"AJ!! BRIAN!! HOWIE!!" He shouted but he felt like he was gagging on each word. He reluctantly left Ashley to find help and within seconds he returned to the gym with AJ and Howie. Only now, the gym was brightly lit and there was no trace of the liquid he could've sworn was dripping down the walls. Was he imagining it? No. All three men saw the small brunette curled up at the edge of the treadmill, convulsing violently. They tried to calm her and it worked but she had passed out. Little drops of blood trickled from the back of her head. They picked her up easily and with such care, all silently agreeing that there was definately something not normal about this place. Nick was their last hope for more information. Was he right?
Chapter Nine by nicksgal
Nick smiled as he stepped out of the hospital wing and into the lobby. Today would be another sunny… There was a crash. Nick whipped his head to face the window. Rain poured down it in streaks, blotting out the view and the sky altogether. He frowned. Wasn't Mexico supposed to be all about fun in the sun? About watching girls in swimsuits? Nick clenched his fist and sighed, how he detested the rain.
"Isn't it monsoon season?" Deanna questioned, appearing behind him.
Nick chuckled, "You know Mexico doesn't have a monsoon season."
Deanna blinked, "But everyone said it was raining…"
Nick put his head in his hand and started laughing uncontrollably. He managed to quiet himself as tears formed in the corners of his eyes.
Deanna put her hand out, "Are you okay?" Her hand shook a little in her worry.
"Funny…" Nick chuckled.
"What?"
"You were so…" Nick burst into laughter again. "…Serious… I couldn't…" Nick grabbed his sides as his laughter continued, "It was… ow…" He continued to laugh.
"Did you hurt your hand!?" Deanna shrieked.
Nick continued to chuckle a little, "I got a cramp in my side."
Deanna giggled with him. Nick then smiled and grabbed her arms tightly. Deanna blinked. His blue eyes stared through her once more. When he was serious… He was… Domineering… She gasped at the sexy manner of his forcefulness. Part of her wanted to let him take her into his arms and never let go. But…
"Hey…" he started.
Deanna looked up at him and put her hands on top of his, "What?"
Nick leaned down and kissed her cheek. Deanna blushed. His lips were so soft and inviting. If only… If only Paris didn't exist… Then they could be together…
Nick chuckled a little, "Don't be so modest…" He pulled her closer to him and held her tightly within his arms; she couldn't escape before he finished talking, "I don't know if that ghost was real or not… But I meant what I said yesterday…"
"That we…"
"It's our secret…" Nick whispered, brushing her lips gently.
Deanna blinked, "A secret?"
Nick let out a low laugh, but stifled it by brushing his lips against her once more. "Can't keep a secret, can you?"
Deanna bit her lip, "No, I can… But…"
Nick put a finger to her lips and released her from his embrace. "Someone's coming…"
AJ, Howie, Kevin ran over to Nick and Deanna. Kevin held Ashley in his arms tightly. She struggled to breathe as her body shook.
"ASHIE!" Deanna shrieked.
Nick stepped back in alarm, "What's going on?"
Kevin's eyes narrowed as the panic in his voice grew. He struggled with the words a little as his voice reached a feverous pitch, "Quick! Was there anything else on the internet!?"
Nick pondered for a moment, "Apparently aliens also crash landed in Delaware…"
"That's not what I meant!" Kevin snapped, he was already losing patience with Nick.
Nick shuddered a bit.
Kevin put his hand to his head. "Look, I'm sorry, we're all just a little bit tense right now…" Kevin took a breath, but even that didn’t calm his voice and shaking nerves, "About this resort! Was there anything else about this resort?!"
Nick pondered again and put his hand to his chin. After a few minutes, he finally answered, "It's only a fifteen minute drive to the ocean…"
AJ grabbed Nick's shoulders, "This is an emergency! Stop being an idiot!"
AJ continued to shake Nick violently as Kevin continued to yell at Nick. "There was blood on the walls and the power went out!"
Nick shoved AJ and spat, "God, are you trying to make me barf?" Nick composed himself for a minute, then shook his head in disbelief. "You saw blood on the walls too?"
"Too?" Howie questioned, "What does that mean?" He turned to Kevin, “You saw blood on the walls?”
Kevin stood in silence clutching Ashley to his chest. This was taking too long... Was it all a joke to Nick? Didn't he care that someone might be dying right before his eyes, within Kevin's arms. He pulled Ashley close and tried to calm her shaking. It seemed his embrace comforted her painc stricken body. Her shaking slowed, then stopped as Nick pondered Howie's question. At least... At least she wasn't in so much pain, but.. But she was still unconcious! Nick's voice interrupted Kevin's thoughts...
Nick crossed his arms, "I really couldn't see… Thought it might just be my imagination… I thought they were bleeding, but…"
"Why didn't you say something?" AJ asked crossly.
"Because you all called me crazy anyway…" Nick glared at him.
"Nick, are you sure there's nothing else?!" Kevin questioned sternly as well as in alarm.
Nick threw up his hands. "I don't know, okay?! Everything I have already told you is all I know! Why won't you just get off my back already!?"
"Then… what are we gonna do?" Howie asked, his voice panic-stricken.
Nick scowled and started walking away, "Screw you guys! I'm going to get dressed. Who cares what you do!"
Deanna stood there dumbfounded for a minute. Ashley was in pain, but… Nick was in pain too… She put her hands near her chest and turned to AJ quickly. "Ummm… When she wakes up, will you tell Ashie that I seem to have lost her shoe outside?"
AJ shook his head in confusion, "What!? This is an emergency and all you care about is a stupid shoe!?!" He turned to face Deanna but she was already running quickly in Nick's direction.
"I'm going to change too!" Deanna called.
"Don't go in your room!!" Howie tried to stop her.
“Forget about your room, don’t go anywhere! Your sister—”
"It's okay! See you!" Deanna called.
AJ grumbled and punched the wall. "That little prostitute!! What's she thinking!?"
"Prostitute?" Howie questioned.
AJ growled, "How can she just run after him like that?"
Kevin shook his head, “I think you’re getting angry at her for the wrong reasons, but she should stay here. Ashley needs her! That’s so selfish!”
AJ let out a low growl.
Kevin managed to calm his voice for a moment, then looked around, "Anyway, it's not safe here. Let's go back up to our room and discuss a plan of action…"
Howie nodded in agreement, "That's probably best."
AJ grumbled and followed behind them, hands in his pockets the whole way. His anger set a gloomy mood on the hotel. But, perhaps, that mood was not so farfetched from reality…

Nick reached out to touch the doorknob. He pulled his hand back and bit his lip. The constant pouring of rain down the windowpanes made this place even darker. The flashes of lightning and the rolling thunder jolted his heart. He put his head down. Somewhere… In this hallway, he could feel it. There was someone else there… Nick shook it off and proceeded to open his door, when he felt warmth surrounding him. He turned around quickly to find Deanna's had nestled between his shoulder blades and her arms wrapped tightly around his chest. He let out a sigh of relief and leaned his head back, putting one hand over hers. He cupped her fingers and glanced at her with his eyes, "You almost gave me a heart attack."
Deanna rubbed her face against his back and squeezed him tightly with her arms. "If I were a ghost, I'd just kill myself."
Nick began laughing again, "Too late for that."
Deanna giggled a little.
"You really don't have a clue, do you?" Nick grinned.
Deanna smiled and closed her eyes, "I only understand what's really important."
Nick laughed as he wrapped his fingers around her thighs and lifted her. She was light as a feather. The angel in this stinking hell of darkness. Deanna held onto Nick tighter, pressing her chest against his back and squeezing his own. Nick removed one hand from her thigh and opened the door to his room. "Paris!" he called.
Deanna heart began to beat wildly. Only the booming thunder covered its quickening pounding.
"Relax," Nick smiled, "If she were here, I'd just put you down." He stopped in front of the dresser where a note was scribbled on a piece of paper. He held it in his hands, "Gone shopping, huh? In this weather," he shook his head, "That woman really is clueless." He crumpled the paper in his fist and tossed in into the nearby garbage. He lowered Deanna to the floor.
Deanna lowered her head, "I know, I really shouldn't be in here… I just wanted…"
Nick picked her up suddenly and thrust her onto the bed. She hit it with a bounce lay with her arms outstretched staring up at Nick. He was so strong… He was like the Norse god Thor who could lift his heavy hammer with one hand. Her breathing quickened as she stared up at him removing his collard shirt and tossing it to the ground, it was discarded trash. Was this a symbol of his feelings for Paris? The yellow shirt was the beautiful blonde woman…
Nick sat on top of Deanna and pulled her head toward his own. He caressed her lips. She tired to pull her head away, but he held it in place with his strong hand. Deanna gripped Nick's shoulder and managed to draw her head away. She turned to one side, pulling her eyes away and her heart. AJ was right, she was stupid… He had a girlfriend… Even if he had changed his feelings… What was to stop him from doing the same thing to her… Still… He was like good champagne. When she was with him, she felt warmth… She could be herself, however bubbly and idiotic she wanted… But when it was over… It only hurt worse… Nick was undeterred by her response; he began caressing her neck with his lips. Deanna released her hand from his shoulder and lay in submission. Her head still turned away, her heart still grasping for something different… No, better than his secret…
Nick pulled away and leaned over her, "What's with the spurn?" He chuckled quietly, "This isn't your first time is it?"
She continued to look away from him, "If you can laugh so casually, then you can answer your own question…"
"Ouch." Nick chuckled.
She rose her hand, "It's not a joke!"
Nick shot his hand toward hers, it was like a bullet. He gripped his fingers around her wrist, "Don't turn out to be like her."
Deanna blinked and turned toward him. His eyes pulled her in once more, those orbs of blue beauty.
Nick growled in disgust, "I'm tried of those women, they think they can run about and do whatever they want. If you give them a gift, its' never good enough. They only want more and take and take and take. Where's the love?"
Deanna curled her fingers down and relaxed her hand and Nick still held it tightly.
"I thought you weren't like that. You may be a hopeless ditz, even a bit stupid, but I wanted that!" Nick pulled her closer, "I wanted someone who wouldn't call me an idiot! Who listened to everything I said! Someone who cared about me!"
"Nick… it's only been one day… I can't tell you I care about you already…" Deanna bit her lip, "Of course I'm attracted to you… And I mean, I like what I see so far, but…" She swallowed, those longing blue eye continued to pull her in, she just wanted to lose herself within them. "Aren't you getting ahead of yourself…?"
"I'm attracted to you too!" Nick exclaimed, "I want you!"
Deanna closed her eyes and turned her head sadly, "Is that all you want?"
"Of course not!" Nick stammered, "But… I want you to know I'm devoted to you…"
"Then don't make me be your secret anymore…" Deanna choked, "If you love me, just come right out and say it!"
Nick turned his head.
Deanna lowered her eyes, "I thought so…" She wrestled her hand free from Nick's grip and tried to push him away. He was an unmovable rock, she was trapped. "Get off me, I'm going to my room," she told him crossly.
Nick's hand shook as he grabbed her head once more wrapped the other around her back. He pulled her closer into his warm embrace and held her tightly. He pushed his lips against hers. Deanna's eyes narrowed as she tried to push him away. He refused to let her go. His arms were unbreakable chains.
Nick pulled his lips away, but held her tighter as he did. "Don't be my secret anymore then…" He kissed her again. "When Paris comes back…" Nick kissed her again as he lay her back on the bed, "I'll tell her everything…"
Deanna blinked, "Really?"
Nick nodded and kissed her again, each time he leaned in, the brief moments lasted longer. "I'll tell AJ too…"
Deanna lay one hand on the back of Nick's head and clenched his shoulder with the other one and he pulled her back toward his lips. "Then we can be together?"
"Forever…" Nick caressed her lips.
"You'll never let me go?"
"Never…"
"Nick…" She tightened her grip on him.
"I love you…"
Deanna let out a short breath from her lips as Nick pulled her closer. He connected them to each other. They became each other. Where did one end and the other begin? What was hers, was his… He could taste her, she was like Heaven and he only wanted more. He pulled away from her for a brief moment and swallowed.
"We'll live and die together… Intertwined…"
Deanna shut her eyes and pulled him back down, "Don't say that here…"
Nick laughed as his lips stopped before her face, "Nothing can kill me… I'm invincible…" He caressed her lips once more, pulling her back into him. They found warmth and peace inside the darkness and the clamor of the storm outside.
Chapter Ten by nicksgal
AJ, Kevin, and Howie returned to their room and Kevin lowered Ashley gently on to his bed. Once he did so he paced back and forth. All three men looked down at her. Ashley had begun trembling again and now she was making whimpering sounds.
"We have to take her to the hospital wing", Howie said.
"No, if we leave her there we can't stay every single minute. That Denny guy could walk right in when we're not there and..", he started.
"What the fcuk, what about Denny?" AJ said with the anger rising in his voice.
"He's kind of perverted..", Kevin replied. He knew that Ashley hasn't told anyone about her awkward encounters with the elderly man. Kevin motioned for them to sit on the bed where Ashley was laying, making sure he was closest to her and told them about Denny.
"He comes out of no where and always stops to talk to Ashley", Kevin finished as he moved a strand of her long brown hair from her face. Just as he did so, someone opened the door and came in.
"Hey guys me and Leigh were..What happened to her!?" Brian asked worriedly. Again, Kevin gave an abbreviate version of what had happened to them at the gym and sighed.
He ran a hand through his brown hair and took a deep breathe, "I wish she would just wake up", he said with his voice shaking. She was in so much pain. Ashley was still making the sounds of whimpering and it killed Kevin.
"She will." AJ reassured but still holding in his anger at the fact that Dee wasn't there by her side and the fact that they were both falling for his friends. He was never able to keep a tight reign on them but as they grew older the task grew more difficult.
"We should go get someone from the hospital", Leigh said.
"No! I'm not putting her there where Denny could just walk right in and do whatever the fcuk he wants!" Kevin growled, before AJ had a chance to respond.
"I'll tell you all about it", Howie said, responding to the confused looks on Brian and Leigh's faces while gesturing them out of the room.
"How the fcuk do we plan on getting out of here?" AJ said.
"I don't know", Kevin looked back over at Ashley and placed his hands on her shoulders in an attempt to calm her trembling. After failing to do so, he brushed his fingers over her quivering lips.
"She's in such pain", he said softly.
AJ turned to him and frowned, "We have to get her downstairs. They'll know what to do..", he started.
Before Kevin had the chance to answer he heard a small faint voice behind him, "No", she gasped, "Don't leave me.." The voice shook.
They both whipped their heads to the direction of Ashley, "Ashley!". Kevin smiled and pulled her into a hug. AJ walked and sat on the opposite side of the bed. Ashley went to sit up but grimaced when a shooting pain traveled thru her back and head. AJ pushed her gently back down.
"I'm so cold..", she shivered.
"C'mere", Kevin leaned against the headboard of the bed and pulled Ashley against himself.
"Kevin..", AJ warned. Kevin shot him a glare.
"Please don't fight", she pleaded and snuggled up against Kevin. Her body still shivered.
"Do you feel okay?" AJ asked, running his hand through her hair.
"My head and back are killing me. I don't think I could stand..even if..I ... tried", Ashley gasped for air on those last few word.
"Sh, don't talk. Just rest.", AJ said softly.
"Dee?" She asked.
"I'll go find her", AJ stood up and kissed her lightly on the cheek before leaving the room. He clenched his fists tightly, becoming slightly agitated with Dee for leaving.
Ashley cuddled even closer to Kevin as tears rolled down her cheeks slowly.
"Are you okay?" He asked, holding her even tighter and kissing her forehead.
"I'm scared", she raised both of her wrists revealing the bruised fingerprints that appeared around both.
"This isn't from you, whatever..held..my..wrists", she couldn't finish her sentence but Kevin knew what she was going to say anyways.
"You think its from..", Kevin started.
"I don't know. I'm just..terrified", she whispered as another tear rolled down her cheek.
Kevin carressed her cheek with his fingertips and Ashley turned her head to place a soft kiss on them.
Ashley raised her head slowly and Kevin leaned down, pushing his lips onto her's for the second time since they had met. She layed completely flat on her back and Kevin raised himself over her then continued to kiss her even more passionately. As the kiss grew, so did the passion. For awhile they both forgot about the danger they and all their friends were in.
Ashley stopped and pushed him away, "Not here, not right now." Kevin raised himself above her and looked down, directly into her brown eyes.
"Sorry", he smiled sweetly.
"No, I want to but not here. Not under these circumstances", she whispered.
"I understand", he rested his head against the pillow next to her.
Ashley turned slowly onto her side, ignoring the pain in her back and smiled, "Kevin, can you promise me something?"
"What", he asked, placing his hand on her cheek and rubbing away the stray tears that fell with his thumb.
"Promise to not let anything happen to me." She said.
He pulled her close and she nuzzled her face into his chest, "I promise."
For a moment, Kevin held her in his arms. Feeling a sense of overwhelming yet satisfying joy flood into him. The passion they shared was undeniably true. Within the matter of minutes they both fell asleep, again the exhaustion became too much to handle and it had caught up with them.
From outside the door he stood, listening to everything going on in the room. Finally the talking had subsided, he opened the door just a bit and poked his head through, "True love can only help so much when fate takes control...", but the couple in bed didn't hear a single sound.
Chapter Eleven by nicksgal
Nick caressed Deanna’s hair lightly as he kissed her cheek. She smiled back at him. Nick leaned in to kiss her. Her lips were like the sun, shining on him through the rain. Was this what it meant to be truly happy? To have the sunlight shine on you even through a storm as rain pours down your cheeks… Nick took in a breath and closed his eyes briefly. Was this only a dream? She held him so tightly, if she let go, he feared he would break without the safety of her arms. He opened his eyes again and stared into her deep brown ones. He was supposed to be dating Paris. Was this wrong? It felt so right. Paris was never there for him. He called out to her when he needed her, but a sale at the mall was more important than him. No… No. This was not wrong. How could it be wrong when he could see heaven in her eyes?
Deanna smiled, “Nick?”
Nick leaned in and kissed her again. If this was Heaven, then he did not want to let go. He would never let her go. He wanted to be complete, within her always. Never alone, ever again.
Deanna pulled away slightly, “What’s the rush for?” She started giggling lightly.
Nick smiled. His blue eyes sparkled in the darkness. “Rush? That’s not in my vocabulary.”
Deanna shoved him lightly, “You pervert.”
Nick leaned in and kissed her again, “Thank you…”
Deanna started laughing again, “It’s not a compliment.”
Nick grinned and kissed her once more, “From you, I’ll take anything.”
They both laughed as Nick kissed her again. She would not escape him. Together, forever… Nick held her tightly against him and pulled her lips into his own. It was like breathing air, so natural, so vital, so…
There was a loud crash that shocked Nick from his pleasure. Nick pushed himself up abruptly and turned toward the door. The crashing sounded repeatedly, but it was muffled.
“OPEN THE HELL UP!” a muffled male voice exclaimed.
Nick blinked and stood up.
“What’s going on?” Deanna questioned.
Nick shook his head and walked toward the door.
“I KNOW YOU’RE IN THERE! OPEN THE DAMN DOOR!” the voice yelled again and continued its pounding.
Nick opened the door slowly and stood in the frame. His eyes wandered the hall searching for the commotion. To his surprise, AJ frantically beat on the door to Ashley and Deanna’s room. Nick blinked again and reached his hand out, “Hey, AJ… What’s the racket for?”
AJ turned around quickly. He was also surprised to see Nick standing in the hallway in only his black boxers. “Weren’t you going to change?...”
“Wasn’t I what?” Nick blinked.
“You were going to change,” AJ stared at him blankly, then shook his head, “Nevermind. Have you seen Deanna?”
“Deanna who?” Nick lied.
AJ growled and walked over to Nick, he pushed him a little. “Don’t play stupid with me, Nick. You know who Deanna is. You’ve been eyeing her for the past two days.”
Nick crossed his arms, “Why do you need to know where she is?”
“Ashley wanted her,” AJ answered blankly then grab Nick’s shoulder, “Are you just going to avoid that comment?”
Nick shrugged, “Of course, seeing as I don’t know what you’re getting at.”
AJ growled again, “You know damn well what I’m getting at Nick. Did you forget that you have a girlfriend? Paris?”
Nick shoved AJ’s hand away, “Why do you care what I do with my life anyway?”
“If you wanted to cheat on Paris, I don’t really care. But that’s my cousin. If you strung her along…”
“You’d do what?” Nick smirked.
“You’re standing on thin ice Nick…” AJ grumbled.
Nick chuckled, “Tell me, I’m dying to know. What would you do to me?”
AJ shoved Nick against the door, “What does she see in an annoying brat like you? You’re an ass to all women.”
Nick smirked as AJ held him pinned against the door. AJ’s eyes narrowed as he let out a low growl. Nick was supposed to be AJ’s prey, but… Since when did the prey play with its predator? Nick’s eyes gleamed as his smirk turned into a low laugh. AJ gripped Nick’s shoulder tighter.
He growled, “I fail to see the humor.”
Nick continued to laugh for a brief moment. Then his eyes gleamed again as his smirk returned and his tone grew snitty, “You. I’m laughing at you.”
AJ’s eyes narrowed, “Is that so?”
Nick chuckled again, “Do you really think you can control them? Do you have any idea what they’re really after?”
“Two men they shouldn’t be,” AJ replied slightly agitated.
Nick’s smirk grew, “Who says that they shouldn’t be after me and Kevin, face it, we’re good looking.”
AJ growled again, “You’re only using her!?!”
Nick wriggled out from AJ’s grip and shoved him away from the door. Nick’s eyes narrowed as he stared AJ down. “You might think you’re their older brother and to some extent you’re mine… But don’t ever assume you know what I’m feeling.”
AJ blinked, “What?” Had Nick hit his head? He had just completed a polar reversal of his personality. A minute ago he had been the smirking prey, only playing with his head. Now he was agitated and the one ready to go against AJ. When had the prey become the predator?
Nick turned his head quickly and proceeded to go back in the room. “Just because I’m the youngest doesn’t’ mean anything. I can think for myself. I understand what I want.”
AJ pulled Nick back. “Fine, take what you want then. Now tell me where Deanna is.”
“AJ…”
The boys turned toward the door. Somewhere in the midst of their fighting, they had ended up against the wall a few feet from the door. Deanna lowered her head as they looked down at her. She scuffed her feet on the floor and refused to look up at either one.
AJ breathed a sigh of relief. “There you are. Ashley wanted you to go to her! Why did you leave in the first place!?! Why didn’t you open your door?!?!?!”
“I wasn’t in my room…” Deanna answered quietly.
“What did you say? I couldn’t’ hear…” AJ replied, losing his temper.
“I—” Deanna started.
Nick swallowed hard and took a breath, “She wasn’t in her room. She was…” Nick put his hand behind his head and looked at the ground as well, “…With me…”
AJ’s expression hardened as he turned back to Nick, “WITH YOU!?!” AJ grabbed Nick’s shoulder again. His free arm shook as he closed it into a fist. His rage flowed through his body into it, the potential power of it surged to overload.
Nick turned his head away and continued to look at the ground. “I was about to say something… You just pissed me off… I realized I don’t like Paris… No… I don’t love Paris… I wanted… I wanted something better…”
AJ growled as his fist continued to shake.
Nick looked up briefly, his blue eyes shook, “She believed in me, right from the start. I wanted… Someone who would always be with me! Someone I never had to let go!” Nick’s voice trembled as he spoke. The words became increasingly difficult.
AJ took in a breath as e put his fist down and turned his head. “You didn’t… Did you?”
Deanna wrung her hands nervously as she continued to look at the floor, “No… Not now… It’s only been two days…”
AJ gave her an annoyed look. “Oh… And when has that ever stopped you?”
Deanna shot him a dirty look and narrowed her eyes, “It would if I actually cared about the guy!” Deanna put her hand over her mouth. Hadn’t she told Nick that she couldn’t have cared about him yet? She lowered her head again.
Nick lowered his head and turned it away again.
AJ shook his head, “You can’t even get it together with each other. How do you expect to convince me?” AJ put his head in his hand, “Look, nevermind… We’ll talk about this later. Right now, Deanna, Ashley really wanted you to be with her. She’s in my room.”
Deanna nodded and started walking down the hall toward the aforementioned room.
Nick began to follow her when AJ stopped him with his hand. “Didn’t you want to change?”
Nick walked back into the room and grabbed his yellow shirt off the floor, he locked the door behind him.
“And what makes you think you’re coming anyway?” AJ questioned.
Nick’s eyes narrowed, “The rumors about this place are true. I’m not leaving her alone for a second!”
AJ rolled his eyes, “She’ll be with Ashley and Kevin and I.”
Nick shook his head, “No. She’ll be with me.”
“And why should she be with you?”
“Clearly the ghosts like to attack women. It’s safer if they’re with men.”
“And this has nothing to do with getting your jollies on?”
“Of course it does, but not right now!”
“Nick…” AJ growled.
“I mean… ummm…” Nick stammered, “I didn’t just say that did I?”
AJ nodded.
“Oh, well…” Nick began to laugh nervously, “You know I’m twenty-four… You can’t expect…”
They heard a shriek and looked up just in time to see Deanna fall through the door to AJ, Kevin, and Howie’s room. Nick and AJ dashed toward her. Nick picked her up as AJ’s eyes narrowed again. Another growl escaped his throat.
“And what are you two doing?!?!” He yelled. He threw up his hands in disgust, “You’re both prostitutes!”
Deanna had latched on to Nick. Nick held her tightly. Her warm pulse resting against his skin.
“Are you hurt?” he asked.
Deanna shook her head, “The door was locked, then it wasn’t…”
Nick’s eyes grew wide. “They’re everywhere…”
Deanna nodded.
“Let’s go!” nick suggested.
Deanna nodded and clutched on to him tighter. AJ grabbed her arm tightly.
He growled, “No one’s going anywhere until we all have a talk…”
“Oh God!” Nick, Kevin, Ashley, and Deanna cried out.
AJ nodded sternly. “Even if we all die, I’m settling this here and now.”
Deanna narrowed her eyes, “I love your priorities, AJ…”
AJ crossed his arms, “It can’t be helped. You two better get in there now, or believe me, heads will roll.”
Nick scowled, “Yeah because we’ll all die in the middle of a huge discussion…”
“GET IN THE ROOM DAMNIT!”
Nick rose his hands and pushed Deanna lightly into the room. “Going, going…”
AJ followed the two of them inside.
Chapter Twelve by nicksgal
Ashley sat there with a ‘deer in headlights’ expression on her face, “Ashley, get out of the bed right now!” AJ spat. Ashley hurriedly got out of bed and Kevin got up with her.
“Let’s get this the fcuk over with”, Kevin sighed.
“Alex, Dee and I have told you numerous times that no matter how hard you try we will date who we want.”
“Did you two..?”
“No! We just met! I know you think Dee and I are prostitutes but we’re not dumb!” Ashley spat.
“WELL THIS IS JUST FCUKIN GREAT!” He yelled.
“Alex, my head is pounding! Can we not yell!?” Ashley asked slightly agitated.
“Sorry. Why do you two feel the need to go against everything I say to you?”
“It’s not that Alex, we just get annoyed sometimes. You smother us to put it plainly.”
“I smother you?” He asked. Both girls nodded in unison.
“How about you? We talked about this and you seemed fine with it.” Ashley crossed her arms over her chest and tapped her foot.
“You both just stay away from my cousins! You hurt them and I swear it’ll be the last thing you do!” AJ warned.
Kevin walked towards AJ, towering over him and crossed his arms over his chest, “Oh really?”
“Seriously Kev, don’t try to use that height thing to intimidate me.”
Howie walked thru the already open door of his room, noticing how thick the tension was, “What’s going on?”
“Oh, nothing at all! AJ has just lost his mind”, Nick quipped sarcastically.
“You little punk!” AJ stalked towards him and grabbed his shirt with one hand while using the other to make a fist.
“ALEX, NO!” Dee yelled, attempting to pull AJ away.
“EVERYONE JUST CALM THE FCUK DOWN!” Howie yelled. Ashley put her hand to her head and frowned. Kevin put his arm around her and pulled her close to him. Silence filled the room as everyone looked at Howie. They never heard him raise his voice before and they were in awe.
“Now, three people have been nearly killed. What does a stupid little argument have anything to do with the emergency at hand”, his voice was much calmer now.
AJ couldn’t deny the fact that he was right. He could deal with the girls later but right now the most important thing was getting out of this resort. Within minutes everyone, minus Paris, was in Kev, Howie, and AJ’s hotel room.
“Like I told AJ before, these ghosts obviously attack girls first.”
“Yeah, wait..where’s Paris?” Ashley asked.
“Yeah Nick, she’s your girlfriend and you didn’t notice she was gone?” Brian smirked.
“She went shopping”, Nick rolled his eyes.
“How do we get out of here?” Dee asked.
Everyone fell silent again, they thought really hard, “I have an idea”, Nick smiled.
“What?” Ashley said sarcastically.
“A plane!”
“Great, idea. Oh, just one thing..IT’S FCUKIN RAINING!” Ashley yelled then frowned as she felt a shooting pain in her head.
“Ash, calm the hell down!” AJ ordered.
They fell silent once again, thinking hard for a plan of action, “How about we get back to the US!” Nick laughed, Dee giggled as well.
“NICK! SHUT UP!!” AJ growled.
“Alex, calm the hell down”, she said, mocking his voice almost perfectly.
“Let’s get serious now”, Kevin ordered while sitting at the edge of the bed where no more that 10-15 minutes ago he and Ashley slept. She sat beside him and rested her head on his shoulder. They actually thought things thru but nobody could come up with anything.
“Anybody have anything –“, Dee was interrupted by the flickering lights. Ashley squealed and latched her arms around Kevin in a tight grip. Soon, everything went black.
“Guys?” Ashley’s voice shook.
“The lights went out. Let’s try and get a flashlight”, AJ said.
Everyone stood up cautiously as they couldn’t see anything. Ashley grabbed Kevin’s arm even tighter. Dee latched onto Nick, “The lights went out”, Nick stated.
“Seriously Nickolas, shut up!” Leighanne yelled.
“Everyone be quiet!” AJ hissed.
“Ouch! Dee, you stepped on my foot!” Ashley whispered.
“Sorry”, she replied.
He turned the corner, all the while smiling when he heard the voices of his hotel goers. Once spotting them he quickened his space and reached his arm out, gripping the closest hand.
“Kevin! Something grabbed me!” Ashley whispered nervously and hugging Kevin.
“I’m sorry, did I frighten you again?” The all to familiar voice asked.
“Denny, for the love of God. Stop sneaking up on us!” AJ spat.
“I’m terribly sorry, I just thought you’d want these”, he said, passing Ashley and AJ two flashlights. “You all should remain in your rooms..it’s much safer.” Denny smiled, revealing his yellow teeth.
“Thanks”, AJ said suspiciously.
“I’m..umm..going to the basement to check the fuses now.” Everyone nodded to Denny and continued walking.
“This hotel is a lot scarier when the lights are off”, Ashley whispered gripping Kevin’s hand even tighter.
“Yeah, it makes me think of this one movie I saw”, Dee started.
“Here we go again..” Ashley snickered.
The group finally made it down to the lobby and sat on the couches, “Someone call Paris and tell her to get her heiress ass back here!” Brian said with a laugh.
“I left a message on her voicemail..” Nick said to nobody in particular.
“Oh, so do you care about her a little?” AJ laughed.
“Shut up!” Nick and Dee said in unison.
Suddenly they heard laughter, an eerie laugh. Everyone froze in their spots, feeling like the laughter engulfed them.
“Alex, please tell me that you’re re-living those Larger than Life days?” Ashley’s voice shook.
“That wasn’t me..”
Chapter Thirteen by nicksgal
The room grew thick with tension as everyone nervously shivered. Someone, or something, was somewhere close by. They could hear short breathing, almost raspy in nature. Deanna drew in a breath as she squeezed Ashley’s hand with one of her own, and Nick’s with the other. Nick let out a nervous laugh. He held Deanna tightly to his chest, hiding her eyes from the darkness. He then clenched his shut and continued to laugh nervously. Neither of them could see anything, so they would be fine. As long as there was nothing to see, it could not see them.
“Quit it Nick, you’re freaking me out,” Brian snapped a bit. His nerves had clenched tightly.
Nick jumped up suddenly, pulling Deanna with him. “You know what we need! A search party! Let’s start a search party!”
AJ looked at him oddly, “Nick… This is a power outage, not a rescue mission…”
Nick clenched his fist, “But if we went looking for it, then we could solve the mystery!”
Ashley lowered her head, “Rule number one in the horror movies, you’re not the Scooby Doo gang.”
Nick continued to laugh nervously, “If I sneak up on it, it can’t sneak up on me.”
Ashley let out a sigh, “Rule number two, don’t split up.”
“Let’s split up!” Nick exclaimed.
Ashley shook her head, “He’s not listening to a word I’m saying, is he?”
Kevin groaned, “It doesn’t sound like it.”
Nick latched on to the flashlight Denny had handed Ashley. After a strenuous battle for control of the light, Nick managed to commandeer it and held it up triumphantly, “I got it!” Nick turned it on and pointed the light toward his face, casting shadows across it. “Ooh… spooky…” Nick laughed.
Howie put his hand to his head. “Nick… Why are you so immature…?”
Nick blinked, “If I turn it into a joke… It’s not so scary anymore…”
Howie sighed, “I don’t know whether to laugh or cry…”
“Both,” AJ nodded.
Nick ran the flashlight around the lobby, checking every corner thoroughly. The brief light scattered the skittish darkness. It hung in packs in the corners, but the light was like a bully and stole the playing ground from the darkness. Nick brought the light back toward him and pointed it to the ground. He smiled briefly. “It looks safe here. So… who’s coming?”
Leighanne put her hand to her head, “Nick… We’re all scared to death. Splitting up and wandering around the hotel won’t solve anything. It will make it worse.” Everyone nodded in agreement, except Deanna who still latched tightly on to Nick. She buried her face deep into his chest.
“Enough said,” AJ nodded, “Just sit down and forget about it.”
Nick shook his head, “I’m going.”
AJ shrugged, “You’ve seen enough horror movies to know that’s suicide, but I won’t stop you.” He smiled a little, and his voice reflected his expression, “Deanna, come sit with us.”
Deanna turned to them slightly, “No…” She clutched Nick tighter, “I’m going to stay with Nick.”
Nick and AJ both turned red. Rage and embarrassment shared the ability to flush their faces. Nick embarrassment quickly subsided and his lips formed a slight smile.
Nick nodded, “Okay, then we’ll be off.”
AJ grabbed Nick’s arm forcefully, closing his fingers around it like a vice. “Is that really a good idea?”
Nick smiled, “Don’t worry. Everything will be okay.”
Ashley cleared her throat, “Rule number three, someone always dies.”
Nick crossed his arms and scowled, “I’m not planning on dying any time soon!”
Ashley turned her head, “Rule number four, don’t go into the basement…”
Nick blinked, “Does the hotel even have a basement?”
“Of course,” Brian rolled his eyes, “It’s the haunted utility Room.”
Everyone laughed heartily. Their cheery laughter seemed to light up the room like a candle that kept growing despite the darkness.
Nick scowled, “I hate you all.” He shrugged and pulled Deanna away, “Anyway, I’m outtie.” Nick and Deanna followed the gleam of the flashlight into a dark corridor of the hotel. It was like a beacon, calling them to the depths of the darkness.
Howie sighed, “Thank goodness. Nick’s idiocy exhausts me.”
Kevin put his hands in his lap and leaned back against the couch. “What now? Do you think they’ll really die?”
Ashley shook her head, “We don’t believe Nick, remember? I just wanted to keep the flashlight.”
AJ raised an eyebrow, “We don’t believe him, huh?”
A rattling sounded in brief intervals as an object knocked AJ’s foot with a punch. AJ grimaced and narrowed his eyes, “Sh*t man! That hurt like hell!” AJ grabbed his foot and his hand knocked the insulting object. His eyes widened.
Leighanne turned to him, “AJ… What’s up?”
AJ held up a black flashlight with a yellow band. “Isn’t this… Nick’s flashlight?” he stuttered.
Ashley put her hands to her mouth, “Deanna and Nick are…” She clenched her eyes shut and turned her head. No, no, no, no…. It was all a coincidence because of the storms. It was only the weather causing all this misfortune. But… What had Nick and Deanna seen? And the blood on the mirror? Her name… The power outage in the recreation room… And the blood… And the treadmill’s speed… How could all of that be caused by the storms? This power outage, sure… But…
Brian jumped up. And snatched the flashlight from AJ, “Then we have to start a search party!”
AJ jumped up as well, “YOU WANT TO DIE!?!”
Brian shook his head, “Of course not.” He lowered his eyes, “But… But Nick is my best friend. If I let him die…” Brian clenched his hand around the flashlight. “I’d never forgive myself if I let that happen.”
Kevin stood up with Ashley. “So then… What’s the plan?” he asked?
Brian pondered, “How about we split up? Me, Leighanne, and AJ in one group. Kevin, Ashley, and Howie in the other.”
AJ growled, “No way I’m leaving Kevin alone with her.”
“What’s more important? Keeping the two of them apart or saving Nick and Deanna.”
AJ scowled and turned his head, “You’re right.”
“Of course I’m right,” Brian grinned.
Brian gave everyone a crash course of the plan then turned on the flashlight. It poured into the darkness where Nick and Deanna had ventured. The walls were illuminated. It was like a brief dream in a world of nightmares. One small light gave them courage and hope. Brian pulled Leighanne and AJ into the darkness, within moments, the party disappeared. What was to become of them? Moments later would the darkness swallow them whole and another flashlight would materialize in the open? Ashley put her hands to her heart and prayed.
“Aren’t you twins?” Howie questioned.
Ashley blinked.
Howie chuckled a little, “I just meant, don’t twins know when something happened to the other one?”
Ashley nodded.
“So… What do you feel?”
Ashley clenched her hand tightly and pulled them closer to her heart. In her mind, she saw a river of darkness and a brief light. Did that mean that they were okay? Then who did the flashlight belong to? “I don’t feel any pain…” she turned to Howie, “What does that mean?”
Kevin crossed his arms, “I could be jumping to conclusions, but… maybe that flashlight was a plant.”
“Like a fern?” Howie asked.
Kevin put his hand to his head, “You’re filling in for Nick on purpose…” he sighed, “No I meant, someone let it hit AJ’s foot on purpose, so that we would split up.”
Ashley gasped, “Then this whole thing is…”
Kevin nodded, “Yes. It could be a set up.”
“What should we do?” Howie questioned.
Kevin motioned to the stairs, “Let’s follow Brian’s plan. Maybe we’ll find Nick and Deanna, then we can all regroup and figure a way out of the hotel at least…”
“What about their cell phones?” Howie questioned.
Ashley hit her head. “Are we all too stupid to think of that?” She frowned, “I don’t have mine with me…”
Kevin pulled his out, “Nick does have his, but… My battery is dead. Let’s just check upstairs.”
They started for the stairs when a large shriek enveloped the lobby. They all startled and stopped in their tracks. Someone or something was with them. And they were in terror. Was it living? Dead? Imagination? The darkness was filled with the stench of death and the walls began to bleed. Kevin pulled Ashley close as a figure neared them in the darkness.
Paris appeared shaking in the darkness.
“PARIS!” Howie exclaimed.
Paris’ eyes filled with tears, “Nick… Where is Nick…”
Kevin turned his head quickly, “We don’t know.”
Paris shivered and held her arms tightly around her body. “There’s someone… Out there… They… Tried to attack me, but I…”
Kevin’s eyes grew wide as he pulled Ashley to the floor.
Howie’s eyes also grew wide. “PARIS!!!!!!” He exclaimed.
Kevin grabbed Howie’s arm like a vice and pulled him to the floor as if his hand were a lead weight. Howie had no hope of escaping his grip.
The glass shattered. The floor was checkered with blood. Ashley’s eyes shook as Kevin’s body covered her small frame. Howie and Kevin were splattered with blood. They were the mirror images of the floor.
Howie stood up, his body shaking. The bloody body of Nick’s girlfriend… Ex-girlfriend… The body of the beautiful blonde heiress lay on the floor in a heap. A large metal pole had shoved its way through her skull. Her eyes had gone blank, her face was soulless. Only the beautiful blonde strands on the back of her head lay untouched. Tears formed in Howie’s eyes. Sympathy… Fear… He felt it all as they flowed down his cheeks.
Ashley and Kevin’s eyes shook as well. Tears began to flow from Ashley’s eyes as she stared at Kevin blankly.
Kevin thrust his hands over her eyes. “DON’T LOOK! YOU DON”T HAVE TO SEE THIS!!!!!”
Tears streamed down Ashley’s face as she let out a scream. It penetrated the depths of the hotel. Anyone, alive or dead would have heard it. The proof had become clear, something was stirring…
Chapter Fourteen by nicksgal
Kevin clasped his hand over Ashley's mouth, muffling her screams.
"Sh, whatever's out there will hear you!" He hissed, Ashley nodded and tears ran down her cheeks. "Sorry, but we have to be real quiet, hun." He whispered.
All three of them stood up slowly and stared at Paris' body. Ashley couldn't help but feel sorry for her especially since she had asked for Nick before she died. Kevin and Howie started down the hall, dragging Ashley to follow them who wouldn't take her eyes off Paris.
"Ashley, c'mon!" Howie ordered.
"We can't just leave her here..", she cried softly.
"WOULD YOU LIKE TO STAY AND KEEP HER COMPANY!" Howie's voice blared. Ashley flinched and turned to Kevin.
"Howie, leave her the fcuk alone!" Kevin pulled Ashley close to him and they ran down the hall.
They didn't see Nick and Dee anywhere. Had they suffered the same fate as Paris? The thought alone made Ashley shiver. The party ran for all they were worth thru the hotel, not realizing they were now in the hotel basement. Rule number 4, no basement.
"Kevin, where are you?" Ashley's voice shook.
"Right here", he flashed the light across his face.
"Let's get out of here", Howie said.
They headed up the stairs and as they did they heard footsteps pacing on the other side of the door.
"Who is it..", Ashley cried.
"I don't know...", Kevin reached his shaky hand towards the knob and turned it. As the door slowly opened they saw a figure pacing back and forth. Once the door was opened all the way they noticed who it was.
"Paris..!?" Kevin said, his eyes widened but no answer. Her body was like a cloudy image. The clearest part was her hair. All the blood had been cleaned and she looked fit for a movie premiere.
"Y-You're s-supposed to be..", Ashley started.
"Dead?" Paris finished. All three nodded, "I am but I'm looking for Nicky, I need one last kiss from those lips of his. Where is he!?"
Ashley looked at Kevin who looked at Howie, "We don't know. We're looking for him."
"I'll come with you", she smirked.
"NO!" Ashley said, firmly.
"Why not? Is he with that sister of your's?"
"N-no..I just..", she studdered.
"Forget it, I'll find them myself..That's hott", she said before disappearing in thin air.
"We need to get to Nick and Dee before she does", Kevin said.
The three started running again. They were now in the lobby with not a clue of where to go or look. All Ashley could see in her mind was Dee and Paris. What will she do to Dee if she sees her with Nick? Paris was never too fond of either of them. Ashley was so lost in her thoughts that she didn't realize she ran straight into a wall and fell back on her butt.
"Ashley? C'mere", Kevin said, helping her to her feet.
"Thanks", she replied, rubbing her forehead.
They continued running and they were becoming breathless. With each step they took it burned. There hearts were racing but it was the fear that gave them the adrenaline to keep running. Nothing could've stopped them..nothing..nothing..
"Ah", Ashley squeaked running into someone, "Let me go!" She fought him and beat her arms against his chest, tears streamed down her face.
"What's wrong!?", Kevin said, looking around the darkness. He had dropped the flashlight and Howie was on the floor looking for it.
"Ashley! It's me! Calm down", A raspy voice assured.
"Alex?" Ashley crumbled in his arms and cried, "Paris is dead and now she's looking for Dee and Nick. We need to find them before she.." Ashley looked behind her as she felt a warm light glow over her face.
"Dee..Nick!?" Howie said.
"Paris is dead..what is she going to do to us?..", Dee asked.
.::.::.::.
The group was together again and everyone crowded into a room that used to be occupied by not only Nick but Paris as well. They locked the door and windows. There was silence and all that could be heard was the heavy breathing of every occupant of the room.
"Nick, as much as I hate to admit it..you were right about this place", Ashley said. Nick place the light from the flashlight over his face making his happy face to sight.
"Don't get a big head you idiot..Just tell us what we should do." Ashley said in exasperation.
"Well my friends...", he paused for awhile and everyone stared at him, "I have absolutely no freakin' idea.."
Chapter Fifteen by nicksgal
“OH THAT’S F-ING COMFORTING!!!!!” AJ threw his hands in the air in exasperation. “YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT YOU DRUG US ALL THE WAY HERE, HOPING TO FIND GHOSTS, WHICH YOU’RE SCARED OF, AND ONCE YOU FOUND THEM, YOU HAD NO IDEA WHAT YOU WERE GOING TO DO?!?!?!?!”

Nick cowered behind Deanna and shone the gleam from the flashlight on to AJ’s face. The whites of his eyes were barely visible against his enraged expression. He crossed his arms and tapped his finger impatiently on one of his biceps. “Well…”

Nick turned the flashlight back to himself, “Yup… That’s pretty much it…”

AJ clenched his fist, “I’m gonna sock you good!”

Nick put up a hand, “But the good news is, I found the ghosts.” There was only silence. “Right…?”

“Wrong! Wrong!” Brian chimed in, “First we have a bunch of creepy old ghosts trying to mess with our heads, and sure, they tried to kill you, but it could have been worse…”

“HEY!” Nick interrupted.

“BUT!” Brian emphasized, “But let me finish… But now
Paris is dead and she wants you to go with her. Doesn’t this seem bad to you?”

“Sure it does…” Nick paused, “I wanna be with Deanna.”

“CAN’T YOU EVER THINK ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE YOU HORNY PERVERT!?!?!?!” AJ thrust his fist into Nick’s cheek. A reddened ridge rose from the edge of Nick’s cheek as his lips let loose a few red tears.

Nick turned his head and spit on the floor, the blood flowed from the corner of lips and down his chin. “Why do you always make me out to be the pervert? I was going to tell her everything.”

“Was?” AJ growled, “So you won’t now?”

“HOW DO YOU TELL A DEAD PERSON THAT YOU’RE BREAKING UP WITH THEM?!?!”

“Hey…” Howie started.

“I DON’T KNOW! YOU THINK OF SOMETHING!!!!!”

“YOU CAN’T TALK TO DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!”

“Hey…” Howie tried again.

“SURE YOU CAN! IT’S EASY! JUST SCREAM, ‘PARIS, WE’RE OVER’!!!!”

“WHY DON’T YOU DO IT FOR ME!?!?!?! YOU SEEM TO UNDERSTAND IT BETTER THAN I DO!!!!!!!”

“WILL YOU BOTH STOP YELLING!??!!? YOU’RE WAKING UP THE WHOLE HOTEL!!!!!!!!” Howie screamed in frustration. He put his hand over his mouth, “Oh…”

The room regained its solitude. The darkness encompassed them once more. In his heated frenzy, Nick had dropped the flashlight to the ground. He bent over and clutched it in his hand. His fingers shook uncontrollably. He grasped his shaking hand with the other, though the flashlight still rattled in his fingers.

Howie put his hand to his forehead, “I’m sorry… Listen, all this yelling is giving me a headache. Why don’t we call it a night?”

Nick raised his hand, “Dibs on the bed!”

AJ smirked, “Fine… But you can’t sleep with Deanna…”

Nick blinked, then pointed his hand to the ground, “Dibs on the floor!”

Leighanne shook her head, “Don’t be immature. Give Brian and I one bed, and then Ashley and Deanna can take the other one.”

Deanna whined a little, “But I wanna stay with Nick…”

“Me too, me too,” Ashley whined, “With Kevin… I mean…”

The girls started playing and endless game of ‘rock, paper, scissors’ and failing miserably because they always picked the same hand position.

AJ growled, “Will you both take the damn bed?”

Howie put an arm around AJ and winked, Why don’t we share the bed, hm?”

AJ rolled his eyes and chuckled a little, “I give up. Fine, why don’t both you tiny sluts take the floor.”

Deanna clasped her hands, “I know! Let’s share the bed with both of them!”

Ashley smiled, “Then we both get the bed!”

Ashley and Deanna clasped hands.

Nick shook his head and wrapped and arm around Deanna, “You know, there’s just not room for four people in that bed.”

Kevin nodded in agreement.

Nick brushed Deanna’s hair from her ear, his breath passed across it lightly. “Besides…” he whispered, “AJ can’t keep an eye on us from up there…”

Deanna blinked, “Oh…” She turned to AJ, “AJ… Why don’t you and Howie take the bed… I know it isn’t the most comfortable for either of you, but… You need the rest, and Howie’s been so kind to us…”

Howie smiled and sat on the bed, “Don’t mind it I do.”

AJ sighed, “Fine… But since you four are on the floor, you’ll take turns keeping a lookout at the door.”

Deanna and Ashley pouted, then turned to each other. They pointed at each other simultaneously. “YOU FIRST!!!!”

Nick chuckled, wrapping his arms around Deanna again. “Let’s do it first, okay?” He smiled, “You know she needs the rest after all the trouble you put her through…”

Deanna let out a forced sigh and nodded.

~~~~


The darkness engulfed the room. Every item was shadowed. The beds loomed over the floor like massive castles. Brian and Leighanne slept soundly in the furthest bed from the door. Howie and AJ also slept deeply, despite the earlier events. Ashley and Kevin lay huddled together on the far side of the room, between the two beds. Nick and Deanna sat upright; Nick’s back barely relaxed against the closet, even his recline position was stiff. Deanna leaned her head against his chest and wrapped her fingers lightly around a few folds in his shirt. Nick smiled and ran his hand through her hair. She looked up at him; the darkness clouded her brown eyes.

Nick’s expression saddened as he looked down at her, “Don’t give me that look…” He leaned toward her, embracing her gently, and met her lips softly. “We’re together, aren’t we…? Isn’t that the only thing that’s important…?”

Deanna wrapped her hands around his shoulders. “Nick…” She buried her face in his chest.

Nick pressed his hand against her back gently. “You’re scared, aren’t you?”

Deanna nodded and gripped his shoulders tightly.
Nick smiled warmly. “You don’t have to be scared… I’m right here with you.” He pulled her chin up with his fingers. Even with a tear-stained face, she was so cute. No… She was beautiful. He wiped the tears from her face with his thumb, then brushed it over her lips lightly. A small sigh emanated from them. He smiled once more, and caressed them with his own. He felt Deanna’s breath soften against his own lips. He opened his eyes and pulled his lips back from hers. She let out a brief smile, then lowered her head to his chest once more. She wrapped her arms around his chest and closed her eyes peacefully. Nick breathed a sigh of relief and fondled her hair lightly with his fingers.

A loud rattle came from the window; outside, the storm thickened. The door creaked on its hinges; the handle almost seemed to turn. Nick looked up, and was startled to find a white figure seeping through the cracks of the door.

“Nick…”

Nick blinked as his eyes shook violently. “Paris…” Nick loosened Deanna’s grip from him and stood up quietly. “So… You really did come back.” The air in the room chilled and seemed to brush his hair across his face.

Paris put her hand to her chest and lowered her eyes, “Dead and bloody… You must find me disgusting…”

Nick blinked, “Of course not…”

Paris put her hand out and touched Nick’s face lightly, “You kissed her with those lips… Did you forget that they belong to me…?” Paris put a hand on Nick’s shoulder, “Aren’t you scared…? I could kill you right now…”

“Paris…” Nick started.

Paris pulled Nick into her embrace and kissed him forcefully. She tightened her grip on him and pulled him toward her. A pale wind surrounded them. “Don’t you want to die with me…?” Paris smirked.

Nick’s eyes were empty.

Deanna stirred and lifted herself from the floor. The cold, pale wind seemed to choke her. Her body convulsed violently as she struggled for air. She gripped the floor and breathed heavily. “Paris…” her speech was broken, “Stop it… Stop it!”

Paris sneered and tightened her embrace.

Deanna clenched her eyes tightly, “STOP IT!!!” Her shriek pierced through the otherwise silent and ominous pale fog.

Nick’s clouded eyes began to regain their vision. “Deanna…” He searched through the darkened room. “Deanna…” Nick startled into consciousness. He grabbed Paris’ shoulders and threw her against the wall. He knelt down quickly and pulled Deanna into his embrace. Deanna shut her eyes tightly as she clutched his arms in her hands.

Paris stumbled backward a little; her eyes almost seemed distraught. “Do you… love her more?” Paris turned her head quickly, “Even when you have me?”

Nick clenched his fist, “Paris! I meant to tell you…”

Paris put her hands to her chest, “Your lips still belong to me…”

“No, I decided that we…”

“Don’t forget that…”

“Paris!”

“Don’t forget that…”

Paris was consumed by the pale wind she had brought into the room. And then, there was only darkness. Nick clenched his fist and slammed it against the floor. “Damnit…” His eyes narrowed as he let out a low growl.

The room receded into nothingness. Nick and Deanna were left to keep watch once again. At The Mayan Princess, the dead cannot find rest. To atone for their suffering, the living do not find rest either.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=6950