Saved by Rose
Summary: A simple short story about risking it all for someone
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick
Genres: Angst, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1473 Read: 625 Published: 02/27/06 Updated: 02/27/06

1. Saved by Rose

Saved by Rose
“Saved”

“It'll be alright, You said …Tomorrow …Don't you cry, Don't you shed a tear . When you wake up, I will still be here …When you wake up, We'll battle all your fears…” Jennifer Love Hewitt, - “Take My Heart Back



Standing within the shadows of the night she sees him. Nothing about him is clear. All she feels is the yearning to go to him. There seems to be a simple glow about him, an aura of purity that cannot be of this world. His beauty is otherworldly as well, she senses, despite how can cannot see him fully. All she knows is that she should belong with him. To be near him, like an addiction to heroin. She takes a step forward beyond her will to control. Something within her screams, pleads to stay back, still she cannot. She sees him come closer and…

CRASH!

Rayna Anne Summers wakes up disoriented at the suddenness of it. She sighs as her emerald eyes take in the familiar surroundings. The worn down walls, the emptiness, the squeaky bumpy dirty bed she lived in. She crawls out of bed and walks over to the window, only wearing an old wife beater and boxers, her long auburn hair shimmering down her back. Her eyes take in the scene below, the beggars, the homeless people, the muggers, the drug sellers, the drug addicts, she shuts the blinds and looks away. Nothing would get better. Nothing ever does. All her life she’s bounced from one home like this to another. Before she turned eighteen it was crummy foster homes, now its because she can’t hold a job to keep herself alive, literally. Rayna assumes the crash is from next door, the couple who never stops fighting. She however, stopped believing in love. It is just a fantasy carried out in romance novels. She walks into the dirty kitchen of her apartment, wondering how she’ll be able to find another job before next month’s rent is due. She ignores the several cockroaches scattering across the floor as she turns on the small florescent light. All she knows is being alone, nothing more, nothing less….


**********

He watches her from a distance, his sapphire eyes unable to leave her. The others think he’s crazy for choosing her. How could he not? Beneath it all he saw the glow that still shines within her. There is something so alluring, so intriguing. And he was going to be the one to save her. As to how he would, he wasn’t sure. Still, he had a few possibilities. He sighs, knowing he would get in trouble for this but he doesn’t care. She’s all that’s important now.

**********

Rayna changes into one of the few outfits she owns, this would be her “nice one”. Black somewhat worn out pants, a white tank top, and she slips on her tired sneakers. She braids her auburn locks back, grabbing her small purse and tucking her wallet inside as she headed out the door to once again find a way to pay for the rat hole she’s stuck in. Still, even a place like that is better than the streets, she knows from experience. As she walks seemingly confident down the alleys towards the nicer part of the city, her mind wanders. Is this really all that’s left for her? It’s not like God existed, she never could believe in religion. Seeing that if it was true, she wouldn’t be stuck in this life. She never did a thing to deserve it. Would she ever escape it?

Before she can even contemplate the question, she feels herself ram into someone and stumbles back onto the sidewalk. She grumbles curses as she sees the hole it caused in her pants above the knee. Perfect. She can’t even afford to replace them and she needs decent clothes to get a job. Shit. A soft hand reaches down for her and she looks up to see a young man about her age, with the most gentle appearance. Soft shaggy golden hair, eyes like clearest crystal lake, a smile that dazzled, and an honesty within those eyes that she’s never seen before.

“Sorry…” she says softly, looking away, embarrassed yet again about how poor she is. “I wasn’t looking…” she takes his hand and lets him help her up.

“It’s okay,” he grins at her to set Rayna at ease. “I wasn’t either, no harm, no foul. What’s your name?”

She blinks, looking at him again in surprise, having figured he’s just want her to go on her way. That’s what most of them did, all of them eager to forget someone like her. “Oh um Rayna.”

He nods, and she feels comfortable, without being sure as to why. Something about him put all her insecurities at rest. “I’m Nickolas.” He spots something on the ground and picks up, showing a simple necklace with a thin gold chain and hanging from it, tiny dazzling opal that shimmers in the sun. “Hey did you drop this? I think it’s yours.”

Rayna raises a brow at him, confused. “Um no…”

“Nah, it has to be,” he comes behind her, gently, and for some reason she trusts him to do so. He unclasps it and lays it upon her neck before clasping it together again. “See it must be, it looks as if it belongs there. You make it the gem more beautiful by wearing it. And that’s all a necklace’s goal is, is to feel pretty.”

“But-”

“Shhh.” he murmurs, putting a finger to her lips, as he steps closer to her. “No arguing.” He kisses her gently and Rayna, confused by this entire thing, still cannot help but kiss him back. It feels so fitting, so right. She doesn’t feel him slipping something into her pocket before he slips away.

“I have to go…” he whispers with regret. “I’ll see you again though Rayna Anne Summers, I guarantee it.” He kisses her softly one last time before slipping away into the crowd. Rayna sighs, wondering just what the heck that was. Would she even see him again? Her fingers play with the necklace as she heads back to her place, deciding today was not a good day to try and find a job. She reaches into her pocket for her keys, adjusting her purse, and she discovers the note there as well. The young redheaded woman unlocks the door and steps inside, dropping her things to read the note as she lays upon the bed in her room.

I risked everything I had to do this, but by tomorrow you will have forgotten today. Know I have loved you far longer than you can imagine. Go rest, you need it.

Nickolas


Rayna drifts off after that, feeling drowsy as she read it, and her necklace, seemingly appeared to glow. Though it could have been the light reflecting...

*******

Standing within the shadows of the night she sees him. Nothing about him is clear. All she feels is the yearning to go to him. There seems to be a simple glow about him, an aura of purity that cannot be of this world. His beauty is otherworldly as well, she senses, despite how can cannot see him fully. All she knows is that she should belong with him. To be near him, like an addiction to heroin. She takes a step forward beyond her will to control. Something within her screams, pleads to stay back, still she cannot. She sees him come closer and…

CRASH!

Rayna wakes up with a start in her apartment. She laughs when she sees her Pomeranian running from the plant that fell she was exploring. She gazes about her room, with it’s bright cheery sky blue walls, and pictures of her family back home. She missed them but she’s doing what she should be, going to college to become a counselor and help people. She stretches before going out on the patio, to look down upon the world. It was a beautiful day out. She shakes the dream out of her mind as she goes to get dressed, knowing it was going to be a good day.

******

He risked everything for her, and now she has what she needs. He could have stayed with her. The woman he’s been watching for many lives. He could have used the favors to keep them together, but in the end he had to give up what he loved most to have her be happy. In the end, he gave away his heart to save her.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=7096