Over My Head by Beautiful_Letdown
Summary: Left home today. Well what was left. I took Krissy with me ?cause I didn?t? think she understood why I burned the house down with Bryan in it. Krissy came to me last week and said Bryan was making her cry while mom was at work and I was at school so I knew he?d be sleeping on the couch like he always does. I started the fire by turning on the stove and pouring some oil in the burner. I had to do it. I had to do it for Krissy.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Kevin, Other
Genres: Alternate Universe, Drama
Warnings: Violence, Domestic Violence, Child Abuse
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 5405 Read: 6806 Published: 03/07/06 Updated: 04/17/06

1. Uno by Beautiful_Letdown

2. Dos by Beautiful_Letdown

3. Tres by Beautiful_Letdown

4. Cuatro by Beautiful_Letdown

5. Cinco by Beautiful_Letdown

6. Sies by Beautiful_Letdown

Uno by Beautiful_Letdown
March 3, 2005
Journal,

       Left home today. Well what was left. I took Krissy with me ‘cause I didn’t’ think she understood why I burned the house down with Bryan in it. Krissy came to me last week and said Bryan was making her cry while mom was at work and I was at school so I knew he’d be sleeping on the couch like he always does. I started the fire by turning on the stove and pouring some oil in the burner. I had to do it. I had to do it for Krissy. Before the fire, I removed the batteries from all the smoke detectors in our house. As soon as the fire started, I got Krissy’s shoes and coat, and my bag full of money and food and left. We left at 6 as Bryan slept with his back to us as we walked out. I didn’t stay to watch it. Krissy slept as I carried her to the bus station. My face is mature and beautiful (haha) so they thought I was 18 with my fake id from my girlfriend Chandler, that badass. She’s so beautiful. I’m gonna miss her but she said she’d wait till my valiant return and then we’d get married when I had a home in Florida and a job.

       Krissy is still asleep and we’re driving on the bus. Couldn’t afford two airline tickets. Besides there’s too much damn security and we’d be found out so much I kill myself right there. It be tragic. Then I’d really look suspicious. That’s why I canceled my debit card and I’m just drawing cash so just in case they do find out it was me. That’s why Chandler’s gonna act like the concerned girlfriend and get facts from the investigation to find out what they know about me and what they know about the fire. That way, I can just pull a whole bunch of cash if they find out it was me. I think I’ll just pull everything from my account because I assume they could track me from where I pull the money from my account. Oh well, I’ll pull it out the next Greyhound bus stop. Then I’ll just change our names. Mine will be Jason and Krissy will just be whatever she wants. I’m thinking Jenny or Chandler hehe. No, that be sick. Nevermind. I’ll just ask her. Somehow every stuffed animal she has is named Mary so I should just assume the worst and name her Mary.

      Well, I’m gonna ask this pretty woman in the seat in front of me to wake me up when we arrive at the rest stop or the next bus station, whichever comes first cause I’m going to sleep.

-Kevin Richardson
Dos by Beautiful_Letdown
A/N: Sorry, lol, about not posting the chapter

Chapter One

The air was cool when he stepped off the bus. As he stretched and sighed his breath came from his lips in a misty fog. He looked around as others stepped off the bus. It was dark and the sky was a violet purple. He rubbed his hands over his tired face. He glanced back at the bus where a small group of young children included Kristen in silly games while adults stood around and smoked or walked around taking advantages of the breaks. He saw from the corner of his eye the beautiful woman he asked to wake him up slowly walking over to him.

“Do you know how many miles this bus route is?”

“Yeah. Uh, about one thousand sixteen I think.” He said leaning against the bus. He was freezing in his slim leather jacket. He slipped his hands into his jean pockets.

“Wow.” She said rubbing the top of her lip, “How long have we been riding?” she asked and he looked at his watch.

“Uh…about five hours.” He said nodding. She sighed and he watched as her breath swirled over her head and disappeared.

“Where are we?”

“Ohio something.” He mumbled, “I think we cut through Gary, Indiana maybe a couple hours ago.”

“You got a cute daughter.” She said and he snapped his head to her. He bit down on his lip when he realized what everyone assumed. Kristen was his daughter and he was just a rather young father in his early twenties.

“Thank you.” He said forcing a quick smile. She put her brown hands into her coat pocket and began to rock back and forth on her heels.

“Well, I’m gonna go and get some food from the vending machine.” She said and she turned slowly and began to the rest area building.

“That’s a good idea.” He mumbled. It was the first time he realized he was starved. He climbed back on the bus and waved back when Kristen waved at him.He dug through his black duffel bad and pulled out a worn, brown leather wallet. He held it in his hands a moment remembering his father he wanted to forget. He loved the man to death but yet he hated him so much. He shoved it in his back jean pocket and glanced at Kristen. She was laughing loudly with the other kids scattered around the bus’s seats. He jumped off the bus and started to the rest area building.

He pushed open the door and the heat rushed at him into his blood. He thawed almost immediately as he walked to the bathroom. He stepped inside and examined his face in the mirror. He saw he had an imprint on his face from where he had laid his head down to sleep. He pulled a beanie from his back jean pocket and slipped it over his tousled hair. It covered the imprint respectively.

He walked from the bathroom and walked from the rest area to a smaller building housing the vending machines. He stepped inside and saw her. She smiled at him with a pat on his shoulder.

“See you on the bus.” She said walking out the door. He grinned as he used nine dollars out of one hundred and fifty two not including the seven cents that was scattered pennies in his coin pouch of his wallet.

Every pocket was used to transport the ten Cheetoh bags and four strawberry cream sodas that he had just spent nine dollars on. He walked through the well lit parking lot full of cars and people. It was relatively quiet though since it was close to one o’clock in the morning. Stepping on the bus he put this all in the back duffel bag.

“Krissy.” He called. She must have ignored him because he knew she heard him.

“Krissy.” She turned.

“What,” she whined.

“Watch the bag. I’m serious now Krissy.”

“Whatever Kevin.” She answered giggling with the rest of her new friends. She was bouncing around with them talking and laughing. He slipped off the bus once more looking at his watch. He estimated that he had a little over five minutes. He walked around the building to a pay phone and got change from a couple walking by. He dialed the number and waited.

“Hello.” She answered and he grinned as he bounced around trying to get heat circulating through his body.

“Yeah, it’s me Kevin.” He said glancing around.

“Kevin!” she whispered. She sounded excited, “Damn it Kevin you need a cell phone. Where are you? It’s like twelve degrees here in Flint. Where are you? How’s Kristen?”

“Settle down Chandler. Why are you whispering?” There was a pause. Something was wrong. “What happened, Chandler? Don’t make me guess.”

“Kevin, they know you burned the house down. They also know you have Kristen and they just talked to me about it. “

“What you say?”

“Said I didn’t even know you hated Bryan.” She replied.

“And?”

“Bryan was at work Kevin. They changed his shift.”

“What?!” he nearly yelled. He was beginning to feel queasy. It was a feeling he was too terrified to admit he felt. He tried to compose himself but he was about to go insane.

“It was your father Kevin. Your mom had invited him to sleep on the couch and see you guys in the morning.” She said softly. He balled his fists and dug his nails into the soft flesh of his palms.

“I-I…” he closed his eyes, “Is he alive?” He wanted to hear the answer but then he didn’t.

“Yes but it’s not looking too good Kevin. It ain’t looking too hot.” She said with a small sigh.

“God I-“ he bit his lip and pressed his nails into his palms so hard that littler crescent bubbles of blood began to form. “God I didn’t-“ he sobbed softly covering his mouth.

“Kevin don’t cry. He’s going to be alright. Nothing will happen to him. Kevin he’s gonna be alright.

“I thought it was-damn it!

“It’s going to be okay baby.”

“It was meant for Bryan not him, not him.” He said and he inhaled sharply. His attempt at keeping himself together was failing.

“Kevin, they don’t know that.”

“Chandler…just-“

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry okay. They think you tried to kill your father for revenge or something because he was gone so long.”

He adjusted the beanie on his head moving it up and down. His dark brown peeked from under the hat.

“I didn’t. It was for Bryan. It was for fucking Bryan. You’ve got to tell them that Chandler.”

“You’re not thinking clear Kevin.” She hissed, “They’ll figure it out.”

“No they won’t!” he yelled in the phone. He ignored the sharp glares directed toward him. He dropped his voice to a low whisper glancing around, “They will have no evidence that Krissy was molested by Bryan if you don’t tell them.”

“I can’t Kevin.” She said softly, “They push further and I’ll be overwhelmed. Your parents will blame me and I can go to jail Kevin. They were like I could go to jail for assisting a criminal.”

“I’m not a criminal damn it. I’m protecting Krissy.”

“I know Kevin but pray to God your father doesn’t die.”

“There is no God Chandler.”

“Kevin,” she begged, “don’t start.”

“I can’t.” he replied sharply, “I have to go.” He snapped and hung the phone up abruptly. He hurried to the bus stuffing his hands in his pockets. He couldn’t stop his mind from running. He was scared, he was mad. At what he didn’t know. Was he angry with himself? With Bryan? But how could he be angry at Bryan for not arriving and cooperating with his death? He sighed gruffly and stepped on the bus. He was inwardly glad that everyone wasn’t waiting for him. There were still a few adults and the driver who were smoking outside and talking lightly. He rubbed his face and tried not to look mad. He tried his hardest not to look scared. He wanted to look normal so nothing could be suspected and no one could be suspicious.

“What’s wrong with you? Looks like something happened over there while you were on that phone.”

He sat in his seat slowly and tried to replay the conversation with Chandler over again.

“Father had a heart attack.” He lied. Her face fell and her hand touched his gently.

“I’m so sorry.” She said patting his hand, “My mom died of Cancer.” She said. He nodded.

“If nothing happens in anyone’s family, it’s just not life you know.” He said. It was a poor attempt at sarcasm and a conversation but she rode with it.

“Agreed.” She smiled softly. He looked into her eyes for the first time. “Name’s Julie.” She said extending her hand. He forced a smile.

“Jason.” He answered. He shook her hand and she tucked a piece of curly brown hair behind her ear. He couldn’t lie and say she wasn’t gorgeous but he needed Chandler. He wanted her to be with him now and he was mad that she didn’t run with him. He needed her here with him now. He was terrified, he wanted to rewind time. He should have just taken Krissy and ran away but he was just so consumed in anger when he had saw Krissy crying. He didn’t know what he could have done differently. Anything different would have been just straight up murder of the man with his bare hands.

“How old are you Jason?” she asked grinning widely.

“Twenty six.” He lied quickly. “How old are you?”

“Guess.” She said giggling and turning around.

“Thirty.” He replied. He wanted to go to sleep but he didn’t want to be rude and brush her off. She seemed to really be enjoying him. Besides, she could probably be a hide-out if anything happened. The general public had emotion where the legal system didn’t. Any woman with a child would understand his point of view. He could almost see her doing the same.

“You are really rude you know.” She replied. He could tell she was doing something. He couldn’t see what she was doing from over the seat.

“Twenty five?”

“Okay. You’re a little rude.” She smiled and turned back at him. Her lips were a dark shade of a red color matching her sweater that she wore.

“Twenty three?”

“Got it.” She said giggling. Parents called to their children and Krissy sat next to him. He offered his hand and she grasped onto while lying her head on his arm.

“What do you work as?” she asked with a grin.
“Artist.” He said nodding forcing a smile.

“Cool.” She said pulling her small daughter onto her seat. The bus began to move.

“Yeah, I love it.” He said with the feigned smile still plastered across his face.

“Make me something? What do you do?”

“Paint.” He said nodding, “I paint.”

“Good. I think those professions have got to be the best. Art is a good field cause if you wake up mad one day, you can inspire a picture or even a trend. I got some pictures I drew. Take a look at ‘em.” She said digging around in a small bag. She pulled a sketch book and handed it to him.

“I agree.” He said nodding. He took it and acted as if he were tired making his movements slow and dragging. He flipped through the drawings of nude men, basketball shoes and a small baby child held in the arms of his mother that was drawn in pen.

“Very nice.” He said handing her back the pad.

“Well Jason, it looks like you’re tired.” She said and he nodded.

“Rather.”

“So what did you do for three hours?” He chuckled.

“Three hours doesn’t compare at all to eight.” He said and she nodded turning around with a grin. He closed his eyes trying to sort through everything that was running through his head. They’d be checking his bank account and he needed to withdraw from someplace that he wasn’t going to stay in. As he thought, his mind drifted and he was soon asleep.
Tres by Beautiful_Letdown
Journal,

       It’s now six am and we have six more hours on this bus route. There was just a stop in town for food. Krissy had long fallen asleep with Julie and her daughter Cassandra so I left her with them. I withdrew all my money from my account and just close it all together. They can’t track me there. I have decided our names. My name will be Jason Matthers and Krissy will be named Mary Matthers. Sounds rather exciting I know. Talked to Chandler. She pissed me off but then I was happy to hear her voice. I was a piss head to her. Have to call and apologize. Probably doesn’t want to talk to me cause I said there was no God. She hates me when I say that but I truly believe that. What God would let a child molester get away from the legal system cause I know that there would be no evidence what so ever and get away from death. Some God that’s so powerful. Guess I’m missing something.

       Krissy got a cold too. Doesn’t sound too great. Her chest is congested and it’s disgusting haha. Oh well, wonder how I sounded when I have my chest congested to other people. Okay, don’t want to know.

       Police found me out. At least that what’s Chandler’s saying. That’s why I pulled the money from the bank. Well, that’s all that happened today. Going to eat a snack and see if I can sleep the rest of the way since there’s only a couple in the back eating each other’s lips off.

-Kevin Richardson
Cuatro by Beautiful_Letdown
Chapter Four

When the bus stopped, Krissy was the first off the bus into the hot wind. The sun was high in the sky at nearly one in the afternoon. He was glad that she had yet to ask about home. She had just woken up on a bus and had seen small children her age to play with and talk to so he assumed that she had just forgotten or just didn’t care at that point in time. What ever it was, he was thankful that she had not asked. He would have nothing to say to her.

He quickly grabbed her hand and she dragged him over to the little kids that had formed a small group. They were hugging and bouncing around. He let her go and watched her nostalgically. He felt someone watching him from behind him. He turned several seconds later and saw her. She stood with her hands in her baggy jean pockets with a grey sweatshirt jacket hanging over her bent arm. She was smiling with red lips and a flushed face.

“Real hot out here.” She said and he nodded.

“Yeah.” He agreed. She nodded.

“Where do you live?” He bit his lips. Where would they live? He was scared again. The sudden high of being in Florida dissolved and he was scared crapless…again. He squinted at the sun debating whether he should spill. What could he do? He didn’t even know her daughter’s name. How could he tell a stranger his problems. She could turn him into the police. He needed to talk to Chandler. She’d know what to do.

“Uh, do you have a cell phone?”

“Yeah.” She said sounding a little disappointed. She dug around in her purse that looked more like a shiny silver bag and pulled out a small pink flip phone.

He examined it, “Is this baby phat?” He raised an eyebrow trying to get a smile from her. He knew it worked as soon as she giggled.

“It’s used so no I didn’t spend six hundred on it exactly.” He smiled at her and walked to a corner. He watched her stare at his back until she walked to the group of departing adults and loud children.

He had to try it six times before it was answered.

“Hello.” It was her mother. He made his voice with a British accent.

“Is Chandler there?”

“Yes, who is this?”

“Bryan,” he replied, “We met at a summer camp last year.” Please work. Lady, just go get Chandler!

“Just a second.” She said and he heard Chandler’s name screamed. Chandler’s reply was that she didn’t know a “Bryan”.

“Damn it Chandler, just take the phone.” He mumbled. The phone was picked up and he heard another click off.

“Hello.” He loved her voice.

“Chandler,” he said softly.

“Damn-God. Hi Bryan!” she said cheerfully. He heard a door slam and he heard the springs of her bed.
“I’m scared Chandler. I don’t know what the hell I’m doing anymore.”

“Settle down Kevin.” She said calmly.

“There’s this girl Julie and she and I were talking on the bus and she wants to be friends and she wants to know where we live. I think I need her as a friend because we have no where to stay.”

“Kevin, no.” she said firmly. Was there jealously in her voice? He wondered.

“Then what do I do Chandler? I don’t want Krissy to be sleeping on the streets. I have no idea how to get an apartment or if I have enough money. I only have a thousand dollars.” He hissed over the phone.

“I’ll send you another thousand.”

“Where. I don’t have a bank account.”

“Fuck!” she hissed. “Listen, hang up now. I forgot they’re tapping the phones. I gotta go. Listen okay, I’ll call you.”

“Where?”

“I have caller id okay. Stay with her. Tell her you ran away but tell her why. Lie about it kay. Tell her not to call the police. Tell her if she does you’ll kill yourself or something horrible like that.”

“Chandler,”

“I love you Kevin.” She said soft and quick then there was a click. He hung up and inhaled sharply. Turning around he saw everyone had left and only Julie, her daughter and Kristen were left standing and talking. He walked over and handed her the phone.

“I need to tell you something.” He said putting his hands into his pockets. Julie’s face turned confused and scared.

“Are you a murderer or rapist?” He smiled a little briefly.

“No.”

“Then it shouldn’t be that bad.” She said softly. “Let me get the kids McDonald’s and then we can talk,” She brought two Happy Meals at the McDonald’s in the station and they sat while she walked back over to where Kevin stood.

“I need to stay with you. I’m not twenty six. I’m seventeen. Krissy is not my daughter, she’s my sister. I ran away with her.”

“So, in a year it would be kidnapping?” she asked softly.

“Damn it I don’t know. My girlfriend is back at home in Flint and I’m in Florida ready to shit my pants. I don’t know.” He growled rubbing his hair. He took the beanie off and stuffed it in his pocket. He wanted to tell her so bad. He wanted to share what was going on with her so bad it began to hurt.

“Why did you run away?” He couldn’t not tell her. Chandler said tell a sad story. What was sadder than the truth?

“My father left my mom and me when I was twelve for a younger woman. She got a boyfriend named Bryan and he molested Krissy. She told me last week. So I thought…I thought he’d be asleep at home on the couch cause when he comes home from work he goes to watch tv so I burned the house down.” He said softly starring at her. He was shaking and she took his hands.

“I just called Chandler on your cell and she said they’re tapping the phones. That’s who I was talking to on the payphone. Chandler told me Bryan was out with my mom. It was my dad that was on the couch and I love him and I don’t know why or how. It was just meant for Bryan.” He told her. He was doing his best not to scream. He wanted to just start running and never stop. He wanted to settle in France with Krissy and be done with it. They would just be no way to get over there.

“So who is dead?”

“I don’t know.” She handed the cell and pressed redial.

“We need to know how deep you’re in.” she said smiling at him. He closed his eyes as Chandler answered.

“Hello,” she said shakily. He could hear a hushed voice in the background.

“Is dad dead?”

“No. Nothing has improved though.” She said and she was near tears. He hung up and looked at Julie. He sobbed and she hugged him into her. She took the cell phone from his hand and slipped it back in her purse.

“I’ll help you baby, I’ll help you.” She said rubbing his back in circles.

“I just don’t know what to do anymore.” He sniffed wiping his eyes roughly. “I just don’t know what to do. I don’t want Krissy wondering why we’re not at home. She hasn’t asked yet but I don’t know what to tell her when she does.”

“Tell her the truth in a way she can understand. Just leave the fire part out. Just say you ran away okay because of Bryan.”

“Buts he loves her mom. Damn it, this is harder than I thought.” He said leaning against the wall and letting his head fall back and fall gently against the wall.

“It’s going to be Jason.”

“My name isn’t Jason. It’s going to be though.” He admitted. She nodded.

“What is it?”

“Kevin Richardson.” He stated flatly. She nodded.

“Well Kevin, or Jason, let’s get you guys home. I assume you should dye your hair or something. I think a brick red would look good on you, or maybe blonde. He gave her a smile.

“Let’s get you guys home.”
Cinco by Beautiful_Letdown
journal,

I told Julie today. She seems nice and stuff. She’s a really good cook. I think that had to be the best fried chicken I have ever had. Chandler be jealous. I think Chandler fucked. I don’t think I can call her anymore. Our plans are ruined. I think I’m gonna call Jerod. I bet the FBI is on me. That be cool but at the same time, they’re the FBI. I’d be lucky to sleep through the night. Jerod is my friend but we were never close so they might not tap him. I’m gonna call him tomorrow. Julie just moved here. I forgot what she works as. I think she’s a teacher. I’ll ask her tomorrow.

Julie switched phones today though. She switched to Sprint. She said she wanted the phone all her friends had Sprint so she switched. She really switched because they could possibly get the bus records if they figured out my alias was Jason and just link them to her being on the same bus as me, meeting me then wanting to help me out. I don’t know how I’m going to do this but I have to find out if Chandler told my name. Hopefully they didn’t find that she made the id.

Krissy and Julie’s daughter Magnolia are asleep and Julie and I agreed to formulate a plan on how we’d enroll Krissy into school in the fall. Well, I dyed my hair jet black. Krissy dyed her hair red. She looks really cute. It’s almost like the rag head doll color red. Made me laugh cause she wanted Julie to dye her hair too.

Krissy asked why we left home. I took Julie’s advice and said we left because of Bryan. She cried for like five minutes and then she went to play with Magnolia after I tickled her. Well, I’m going to sleep.
Sies by Beautiful_Letdown
Chapter Six

“Julie, did you report your phone missing?”

“Yeah, how’d you know?” she asked looking at him across the table. He could smell the steaming eggs that sat right in front of him but he was sick. He could barely open his mouth. He was scared witless. He just wished he was still asleep. There the bed was a reverie unshaken. There was nothing in his dreams but the past. The past with his father before he was twelve. The past when his mother was responsible and his father loved them. Krissy was barely human then as she was new. He looked away from Julie. He felt a hand slip softly onto his.

“Everything is going to be alright.”

“They’re the FBI Julie. They have Chandler and are probably interrogating her endlessly.”

“What about Jerod?” she asked rubbing his hand, “Try him.”

“Too scared Julie.” He said looking into her eyes. She could see he was clearly. He was only seventeen and the country was literally after him.

“I want to turn myself in Julie.” He said. She shook her head.

“Kevin, I…I can’t let you do that. Just take this sleeping pill and go get some sleep okay. You’re just tired.”

“Yeah Julie, I am! Krissy tried to run away. I tried to fucking kill someone and I’m tired of running! From what? My life?!”

Julie smiled at him, “Go to sleep.” She said putting the pill into his mouth. He liked it when she did that to him, mothered him. It was almost nostalgic. He wanted someone to do that to him. He missed it. He was tired of being the responsible one. He was tired of being the adult. He had been being a father for five years and he was tired.

He swallowed the pill and sipped at the glass of water. He set the glass down and looked at the eggs briefly.

“Don’t worry about those.” She said smiling. She pulled him from the chair and wrapped her arm around his waist. “Come on hon.” She led him to the bedroom and helped him in the bed. She sat by his side and stroked the black hair that seemed foreign to him. He closed his eyes.

“Why are you doing this? Why do you care so much?”

“Because I know…if someone ever put their hands on my Magnolia, I’d be beating some ass. Killing some ass matter-of fact.” She smiled as she faded from his view and he shut his eyes. His world faded to black.

”Krissy.” He called and she looked at him with one eye through underneath the blanket. “Know I love you. I’m sorry for being stupid.” He said rubbing her back and she pulled the blanket back over her head. He sighed and pulled the blanketed bundle into his arms. She was softly giggling. He knew she was trying to cross her arms as he squeezed her tightly in his arms.

“Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevin.” She whined. He laughed.

“Yes pumpkin.” He kissed what he perceived was her head and she giggled. “Are you ready to reveal yourself once more to me?”

“No.” she said trying to sound mad. She was failing miserably.

“Okay, okay. You’ll just have to be forced.” He smiled and he dropped her on the bed. He pulled the blanket from her and she rolled out onto the bed as he heard Julie slam the door running in.

“Go out the window now! Now!” she screamed as she raced into their room. She ripped open the window and grabbed a jacket.

“What’s going on?”

“Get Krissy and go!”

“Julie, why?”

“They’re coming. Go.” She said as Kevin helped her out the window. He slid half way out the window and Julie pulled his arm. She shoved a pouch in his hand.

“And here.” She said giving his a pistol. He starred at her in amazement.

“No, Julie.”

“Take it and get out. You have no time. Now go.” She said pushing him from the window and closing it. He could hear them from the front. He made his way from the back through the thick bushes to the sidewalk. He could hear them run around the back.

He turned around when a oficer smotted him. He pulled the gun from his pocket quickly and aimed. He felt burning sensations stabbing into him and he fell gasping. He could hear Julie screaming. He could hear Krissy crying. His world faded to black.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=7160