Without You by Carter
Summary: Amber thought she was ready to go back to her home state and she never thought she would had to face Nick again. But she was wrong. But can they put everything aside and be friends or will something rekindle and be together again?
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick
Genres: Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1716 Read: 540 Published: 03/16/06 Updated: 03/16/06

1. Without You by Carter

Without You by Carter

I sure enjoyed the rain But I’m looking forward to the sun You have to feel the pain When you lose the love You gave someone I thought now that time That would take away those lonely tears I hope you’re doing fine all alone Where do I go from here?

The blonde haired, green-eyed girl stepped off the train. It was the first time she had been home since her awful break up between her and her boyfriend Nick. The whole thing has just been a misunderstanding at first but then quickly turned into an on going dispute that she was unable to handle any longer. She saw her friend Patty waiting for her.

“It’s good to be home,” she said to herself as she grabbed her luggage. She smiled to herself as she walked over to Patty.

“Hey you! It’s been forever since you have been here. You look amazing you’ve gone blonde I see though!” her excited friend said as she gave her a hug.

“Yea…I decided I needed just a little change”

“Well Amber….it’s defiantly been quiet since you left girl…we all have missed you”

“I know what you mean Patty. I miss being here in Irvine…Las Vegas is just so different than here. I don’t have very many friends but I am getting there. You know how shy I am,” Amber responded as she sighed.

“Yes, yes we all know how ‘shy’ you are. Now to the good stuff though…any new boyfriends I should know about?” Patty chuckled as they walked to her car.

“No…no boyfriends…the break up between Nick and I was bad enough. I guess I just really haven’t gotten over him,” she sighed once more.

“Amber don’t even start this…you are on winter vacation from school…it’s not time to think about Mr. Nick it’s spending time with your friends” Amber knew deep down Patty was right, but then again Patty was usually right in the first place. But how can you get over someone who did you wrong?

Without you I'm not okay Without you I’ve lost my way My heart’s stuck in second place Without you

Amber and Patty arrived at Patty’s apartment. Patty helped Amber’s luggage from her car. It felt so weird being there without Nick there around her. As Amber walked into the apartment and saw the one person who she thought she would never see…Nicole…the girl who had taken Nick from her in the first place.

“Why is she here?” Amber whispered to Patty.

“Well after you moved out she needed somewhere to stay and I needed to split the rent with someone…so I asked her. I was going to tell you honestly but I just didn’t know how…but if it makes you feel better she dumped Nick,” she smirked.

“Patty be quiet, I am not getting back together with him. He had his chance and he blew it. Don’t you even try getting us back together. It’s not going to work,” she huffed,” Why is she doing this to me? She knows Nick and I are over! Ahhh! This is what bothers me so much…everybody thinks I am just hunky dory with having Nick and I getting back together but I can tell you one thing I am not going to” Amber said thinking to herself. If there was one thing she couldn’t stand…this was it. It was just something that she would never be able to get over….he cheated more than once and that was just not a cool thing to do.

“Okay jeez let’s go and settle you in your room…it’s a guest room now. I haven’t really changed anything in here really.” Patty opened up the door and to her surprise she was right. The room hadn’t changed a bit. Amber walked in and it was just like old times. She had so many memories in this room whether it was her and Nick or all the girls over for a night of fun.

“I really forgot how much I miss this place Patty…I feel like I never want to leave.” She chuckled.

“But you are in college in Nevada now Amber…you can’t transfer now can you?”

“Possibly…but how about we just talk about this tomorrow…I am pooped. I think I am going to turn in for the night,”

“Okay good night Amber…sweet dreams.” Patty quietly closed the door and Amber stood there in what once used to be her room. She felt like this was the place she needed to be…this was her home only if she had Nick.

Well I never thought I’d be Lying here without you by my side It seems unreal to me That the life you promised was a lie You make it look so easy Making love into memories I guess you got what you wanted What about me?

The next morning Amber woke up at 9am and everyone was gone. Amber walked out of her room and there was a note attached to the refrigerator.

Amber, They called me in for work today. I am really sorry we couldn’t hang out…and Nicole is at school. So you have the apartment all to yourself…help yourself to anything…see you around 5 or so tonight.

XOXO, Patty

“Figures” she mumbled, “ What to do today? Too bad I don’t have a car or I’d go to the mall or something, but I guess I am just stuck here for today,” Amber heard the doorbell ring,” Great! I am in my pj’s” she walked over to the door and answered it and there stood the 6’3” blonde hair, blue eyed man- Nick,” Nick? What…”

“Patty told me you were here for a while. I had to see you Amber I’ve missed you”

“Uh huh sure you did…now if you don’t mind I would like to get on with my day”

“Hey I thought we could ‘talk’ or at least I would”

“Nope no talking coming from me today sorry!” Amber started to shut the door, but Nick pushed the door open.

“Amber please I would like to talk…we NEED to talk”

“Why? Why is it so important that we have to talk?”

“It’s about ‘us’ you know. I felt like we got off on the wrong foot ya know? So please” Amber thought about it for a few seconds and then invited him in. She knew all along that this was Patty’s doing.

“So you wanted to talk…so talk” she snobbishly said.

“Amber…all I have to say is sorry. I beat myself up every day knowing how much I really hurt you. I couldn’t believe how silly, how immature I was and how much I was an asshole to you as well. That wasn’t me…that was the ‘old’ Nick…but this is the ‘new’ Nick.”

“You came all the way out here to try and patch things up? But why? You did a lot of shit Nick…to this day I hate you for it. My heart was broken in two,”

“I know Amber…you have got to believe me I am different now Amber. That was then this is now,” Nick stated.

“No…you know what? For the longest time I couldn’t be without you…I just wasn’t okay…I felt like I had lost my way that’s why I went to Vegas…and then when Nicole came into the picture I felt like I was in second place…what don’t you understand? We will never be us again. You hurt me too bad Nick too much pain for me to go through…and I don’t want to have to deal with that ever again. I’m sorry Nick really I am. And maybe we can just be friends…but right now I am not and will not be in any relationship with you at the moment,” Amber explained. She felt really good to get everything out of her system, but then again she felt bad but it was for her own good.

“Okay I completely understand. I just thought maybe you had gotten over the whole situation but I guess you haven’t,” and with that Nick walked out the door.

Somebody tell my head To try to tell my heart That I’m better off without you Cause baby I can’t live

Amber felt even worse when Nick had walked out the door.

“Wait, Nick…” he turned around,” Come back here,” Nick walked back over to Amber,” Nick…I…I lied I can’t live without you. I am just not myself without you. I need you. I feel so bad for telling you off like that. I just can’t let you go” she said. Nick smiled.

“See I knew you still loved me. I am glad you are giving me a second chance Amber. You don’t know how much I love you and how much I have really, really missed you,” Nick said pulling her into a hug.

“Nick, I guess it was just something I couldn’t hold back my feelings. I couldn’t see you just walk out of my life not knowing what could have happened with us. It just wouldn’t see right,” she hugged Nick again.

“I know the feeling,” Nick leaned in and kissed Amber for the first time in over eight months. They both knew that this was the start of something new and something old…one beautiful relationship that will last a lifetime.

Song used 'Without You' By: Dixie Chicks album: Fly

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=7262