Safest Place to Hide by backstreet_fanatic
Summary: Brian is critically dealing with problems of his own. As they start recording and touring for their new album, Never Gone, will he be able to catch up? Find out in this dramatic story where Brian will finally realize that a simple song could express his innermost feelings...









Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Brian, Group, Nick, Other
Genres: Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: Living Through It All
Chapters: 17 Completed: Yes Word count: 10678 Read: 30297 Published: 05/18/06 Updated: 05/24/06

1. Chapter 1 by backstreet_fanatic

2. Chapter 2 by backstreet_fanatic

3. Chapter 3 by backstreet_fanatic

4. Chapter 4 by backstreet_fanatic

5. Chapter 5 by backstreet_fanatic

6. Chapter 6 by backstreet_fanatic

7. Chapter 7 by backstreet_fanatic

8. Chapter 8 by backstreet_fanatic

9. Chapter 9 by backstreet_fanatic

10. Chapter 10 by backstreet_fanatic

11. Chapter 11 by backstreet_fanatic

12. Chapter 12 by backstreet_fanatic

13. Chapter 13 by backstreet_fanatic

14. Chapter 14 by backstreet_fanatic

15. Chapter 15 by backstreet_fanatic

16. Chapter 16 by backstreet_fanatic

17. Chapter 17 by backstreet_fanatic

Chapter 1 by backstreet_fanatic
Author's Notes:
Hi. Please take the time to read through my story. Thanks and KTBSPA!
Nick looked heavily at his clock. His digital radio clock peered back at him showing that it was 2' o clock in the morning. It was barely morning but he was already ready for the filming of the video, Incomplete, which was going to take place that morning. He drummed his fingers impatiently on the table in front of him excited to film the video. This will be their first video single for their new album, Never Gone.
Finally, after a while of thinking what he should do, he decided to check on his band mates. He peered into the room of Brian, since his room was the nearest to Nick's room.
Brian was lying awake, his hands in the back of his head and he was looking at the ceiling, deep in thought. He didn't notice Nick as he came in.
The spell was broken only when Nick asked Brian, "What's up?".
"I'm okay." Brian replied, trying to sound normal, but he had a tremor in his voice, which Nick noticed.
"What's wrong, B'rok?" Nick asked concerned.
Brian's face was as pale as the moonlight shining from behind the closed curtains and his eyes were red from crying. Nick feared this situation was worse than Nick's past problems combined. A great silence then overtook them as they each thought about their own anxieties and insecurities that they each felt in the past and in the present. Then the silence was disturbed by Brian's sobbing. Nick was overcome with emotion and sat beside Brian and hugged him.
"Why did this have to happen?" Nick heard Brian ask.
"It's okay, man. We've been always here for you." Nick replied, "You don't have to say what happened.".
Brian sobbed harder at this statement.
"Why is the world slowly falling apart?" Brian thought desperately as he clung to Nick.
"I don't want to give you guys a hard time with the problems that I'm facing now." Brian replied looking up at Nick.
"No, it's okay. We've worked out problems as a group, and we still survived despite all the ups and downs that we had."
Nick told him soothingly, "We're on this together, Brian. You, me, AJ, Howie, and Kevin are on this together.".
At this very moment, Nick forgot the fact that he was wearing the outfit that he was suppose to be wearing in the filming of the video, and the fact that Brian was crying all over his blouse. Nick briefly thought about the new t-shirt was wearing, which was gradually being ruined by the tears. Nick put his negative thoughts out of his mind. Now, Nick prioritized the need to help Brian, as a friend, and as a brother. Nick hugged Brian tighter, which caused Brian to clench his shirt even more.
"It's okay." Nick told Brian quietly, "Tell me what's the problem.".
After a few moments of silence, Brian finally spoke up, "Baylee was sent to the hospital just a few hours ago. He was diagnosed with a rare sickness. They're saying his condition is worse.".
Then Brian burst into tears again.
"We'll just have to wait for the sunrise." Nick thought as he looked intently at the sky, seeking a new hope of a new day where the past will be left behind.
Chapter 2 by backstreet_fanatic
As Nick walked to the breakfast table, he noticed that AJ and Howie were already there. He was tempted by the smell of fresh bread so he bit into a ham and cheese croissant before saying anything more.
"Where's Brian and Kevin?" Nick asked after finishing almost two croissants.
"Their in Brian's room." AJ said gesturing to the direction of his room.
Motivated by the events that happened the night before, Nick quickly excused himself from the table and strode to Brain's bedroom.
A horrific scene met Nick's eyes. Brian was crying hysterically with his hands on his face, while Kevin had an arm around Brian and occasionally gave him the don't-worry-your-son-is-okay comment. Both looked up when Nick came in and Nick and Brian both hugged, as if they never saw each other for years. Sensing that his presence wasn't necessary, Kevin closed the door behind him and left the two of them alone.
Nick was the first one to speak after the brief moment of silence that they had. "We care about you, man. We really value it if you're happy.".
A small smile crept in Brian's face, after the night, it seemed.
"I know." Brian managed to speak out as fresh tears found his eyes.
They sat in Brian's bed and they started talking about the happy memories they had together.
"Do you remember the time when AJ almost ditched us for getting his trousers?" Nick asked grinning.
Brian laughed at the memory. They were young then. AJ had a particular pair of pants which he really loved and just before filming their video, Everybody, AJ told the group that he would be wearing those pants. Brian and Nick laughed at the idea of AJ wearing the pants, but AJ didn't mind them. When the actual videoing came, Nick took it from AJ's closet and Brian hid the trousers in his closet. AJ had to wear the tight faded jeans which was provided by the staff team. When he learned that they took his pants, he was enraged and complained that he had a hard time dancing with his 'jeans'. The whole group burst into laughter after that and finally told him that he danced great with his 'faded jeans'.
They continued to talk about happy events until the conversation was steered to the relationship between Nick and Paris which eventually didn't work out. Nick was rather uncomfortable about where the conversation was headed to so he finally told Brian that he would go to the breakfast table. Brian followed smirking as he went.
When they reached the breakfast table, they were done eating and were just staying to talk. As they saw Brian and Nick approach, a variety of what's up's and slapping of backs followed. They tried to be as normal as possible and showed their remorse for Brian's son. Brian expressed his thanks to them as he bit into his ham and cheese omelet. His face lighted up and Nick was glad that Brian was getting over his sad mood.
The morning was spent practicing the vocals of Incomplete.
When noon came, Brian received a call concerning his son from Leighanne. As he stayed in the phone, his face grew serious and the mood that he had the night before came back to him. When the call was finished, Howie, who was nearest to him noticed his pale face.
"Are you okay?" Howie asked about the tenth time that day, and Brian managed to say, "Yes.", as he felt his emotions grow stronger and tears build inside his eyes.
He fought back those tears, however, determined to continue the filming.
When they arrived in the beach where Brian's scene was to be filmed, Joseph Khan, the director, explained to Brian his situation. Brian, though exhausted from his sleepless night was determined and listened intently to Joseph.
"You have to look distressed and try to feel the emotions that the song gives you ..." Joseph voice rang out in his head, though Brian listened only to some of them. He was intently thinking about the situation which Baylee is in and what Leighanne was feeling at that very moment. Suddenly, his deep thoughts were interrupted by Joseph shouting to the crew, "Let's get the show on the road.". As Brian walked along the water trying to show that he was depressed, Howie shouted at him, "Brian, you can do better than that.". Then, as they came to the chorus, his heart became shattered. "I've tried to go on like I never knew you, I'm awake but my world is half asleep..." the words haunted him. He couldn't take it and he faced the ocean in order to avoid the camera from filming his distorted face.
"Good one, Brian, I knew you can do it." Kevin shouted over the crashing waves. Suddenly, numbness overtook Brian until he could no longer stand in the knee deep water and he fell on the chilling sea. The last thing he heard before he slipped into unconsciousness was the voice of Kevin asking him, "Are you okay?".
Chapter 3 by backstreet_fanatic
When they saw Brian fall forward, Kevin and Howie, who were two of the nearest waded to Brian. Nick and AJ followed behind. Brian was gradually being dragged deeper into the ocean by the waves, so Kevin, who was less than one meter away from Brian burst his energy and swam to him. He put an arm on Brian who was already sinking. Howie waded towards them and helped Kevin drag Brian to land. When they finally reached solid ground, Brian began vomiting out salt water. Nick's mind drifted to a time when an incident happened to Brian because of him. His stomach churned with guilt and he tried to push these troubling thoughts aside and instead, focus on reviving Brian.
Finally, after several minutes of vomiting saltwater, Brian blinked his eyes open and tried to sit up.
"No way, man, you gotta rest." AJ said pushing him back, "You had a pretty close call, you know.".
Brian forced a smile and looked at those around him. Everyone looked back at him showing an expression of worry.
"What's up, guys?" Brian asked weakly trying to sit up again.
Kevin told Brian, "You need to rest. You've had a pretty exhausting day.".
"Yeah," Howie replied, "I think you should just rest for a while. We'll film the other scenes first.".
"Thanks." Brian replied as he was wrapped with towels by the prop committee.

The ride going back to the hotel was quiet. Nick finally broke that silence by asking, "What scenes will be filmed first?". Jason looked at Nick replying, "You and Howie will film first, but since it's already late, I'll pull it off till tomorrow. From then we can concentrate, can we?". Everyone nodded muttering a yes, but Nick noticed that Brian wasn't listening. He put an arm around Brian and whispered, "Everything's going to be fine, B-rok. You may not feel it at this very moment, but your son is being looked after. Everything's going to be alright.". Though Nick was also unsure of the solution to his situation, he wanted to encourage Brian. As Nick looked back at Brian, he noticed that he was weeping on the windowsill. "It's okay, B-rok. We've been on this together." Nick comforted Brian. "Is there something more to this than what you're telling me?" Nick asked patting Brian on the back. Brian tried to hide his face from Nick, not wanting to tell about the argument that he and Leighanne had last night.
"What's wrong with you, Brian?" Leighanne's voice echoed in his head, "Baylee's white count decreased dramatically. Why can't you just tell them to cancel the shooting and come here so that you'll be able to take care of him.". Brian furrowed his brow in frustration. He knew that all his band mates will be disappointed if he would tell them that. Then his cellphone rang. He pressed the answer button without knowing the caller, "I'm here right now in the marriage counseling office signing the divorce papers." Leighanne's voice spoke with frustration in her voice. "what? Do you know what you're doing, Leighanne?" Brian asked in rage. "Yes, I know what I am doing. I have a reason for doing this. You're too obsessed in that video that you don't even think of your own son." Leighanne shouted in the phone. "No. Please, Leigh, we could settle this and I'll meet you in the hospital." Brian pleaded, fresh tears coming from his eyes. ". "You know I can't, Brian. I've given you the last chance before. I'm never going to see you again." Leighanne said in a serious tone and hang-up. Brian lay his hand in the seat head rest and silently tried to keep back the tears that were slowly falling down his face.
Chapter 4 by backstreet_fanatic
"Are you okay, Brian?" AJ asked Brian looking at him through the rearview mirror.
"I'm fine." Brian managed to reply.
"Who called you?" Kevin asked who was beside AJ.
"Um.... Leighanne." Brian replied trying to look casual.
"Oh, okay. How is Baylee?" Howie asked with concern.
"Oh, he's fine." Brian lied not willing to say anymore.
"Oh, that's cool. You'll be able to concentrate on filming." Nick remarked.
Brian looked at the window at the passing hillside. Inside, he wished everything was as simple as what he verbally said. But he knew that life was not as easy as being said. He sighed at himself, at his situation, at his career. Everything was getting worser for him. Every direction he went, it seemed, trouble was there to greet him. Drowsiness finally overtook him and he fell asleep.

When he awoke, he found himself in a cemetery. In front of him was a gravestone that had the name Baylee embedded on it. Brian knelt down, so he could see the name clearly. Littrell was embedded after Baylee. Brian cried because of the message engraved which was, "This unfortunate child died in a young age because he lacked the presence of his father.".
Then as he stood up, he found himself arguing with Leighanne, who was signing documents.
Then he saw himself with Nick, snoozing around in a bar, which he sweared never to go anytime.
He then found himself in a hospital room, with the faces of his band mates peering down at him.
"How is his condition?" he heard Nick ask.
"Worse." Kevin replied laying a hand on him.
Suddenly he was awakened from the dream by AJ.
"Come on, Brian. You need to wake up." AJ nudged Brian in the shoulder.
Brian pretended to wince in pain but instead burst out laughing. He had no idea why he was feeling jolly when his dream was gloomy.
When Brian went out of the car, he found himself in the place where the scene of Howie and Nick would be filmed.
Joseph Khan was already explaining the scene to Howie and Nick when Brian approached them.
"...you shouldn't look at the camera as much as possible. Remember, you are distressed, not modeling." Joseph told Nick and Howie.
After that, Nick went to his places. The filming continued smoothly with an occasional comment from Joseph.
"Put a little dough on it." Kevin shouted from where he was standing.
Nick was obviously trying to do his best. AJ chuckled. Nick really looked funny trying to 'act it out'. Brian smiled at his friend. He could clearly see the gift of acting which is within Nick.
"He's really good." Howie commented to Brian seeing the small smile appearing in his face.
"Yup." was Brian's only reply.
He took this opportunity to think about Nick and their relationship. Then his thoughts drifted to his dream. He shifted from foot to foot uncomfortably. "Is their relationship about to go too far?" Brian thought. He hoped he will still have control over himself whatever circumstance he will face.
He smiled only to think about the present situation he was in. He tried to keep his emotions back fearing that it might interrupt the happiness that the band is enjoying.
Then he noticed Nick and AJ approaching him. He froze.
"Nick and AJ can't see me like this." Brian told himself suddenly looking down at his shoes. It was the same shoes he wore when he was crying his heart out to Kevin, the same shoes he wore when Nick comforted him and the same shoes he wore when he fell in the ocean, thinking about his future and his present circumstance.
Then a voice inside him urged him, "Get yourself together, Brian. Life is a journey. Our only way of living through this journey is not letting our imagination take the best of you. You and your imagination are two totally different people and should not be compared.".
Brian was deeply encouraged by the voice that spoke inside his head and silently whispered a thanks.
He smiled at Nick and AJ and told them, "Let's call it quits, shall we?". So the three of them laughed and chatted in the car until they reached their hotel.
Chapter 5 by backstreet_fanatic
"This is a prayer that tomorrow will help me leave the past behind..." Brian sang silently 'Song for the Unloved', one of the bonus songs that he recorded with the group.
As he sang, a stray tear escaped from his eye and he wiped it off in haste not wanting to worry the others. Nick, however, noticed the stray tear fall in his cheek and he clapped a hand in Brian's back.
"Don't worry, everything's going to be fine. Everything's under control. Just let it go." Nick comforted smiling at the same time.
The others noticed what Nick was doing and joined in comforting Brian.
AJ decided to cheer up Brian's spirits by saying, "It's okay. Just have fun. This one's for the mothers, who have lost a child. This one's for the gypsies, who left their hearts behind. This one's for the strangers sleeping in my heart, they take what they want and leave while it's still dark..." and then he broke in song.
The others also sang along with him.

"This is the song for the unloved,
this is the music for one last cry.
This is a prayer that tomorrow will
help me leave the past behind...
It's a song for the unloved (the unloved)".

Brian finally burst one in song encouraged by them. They sang until they reached the final crescendo in the song, ending in a clashing of voices.
The staff, which were listening outside of the room finally went in and clapped. One of those who were clapping were Joseph.
"That's a good catch, guys," he told them, "it's even better than the recording.".
"Well, that's a good complement." Howie replied rubbing his hands in glee.
"It was just our part." Kevin winked at Brian, not wanting to tell about his present situation.
Joseph smiled, "You guys are something, but anyway, I think you guys work better when not in the recording studio.".
Nick chuckled, "Well, we did it for pleasure.".
"Yup." AJ replied.

"Well, thanks, guys. I've got to be preparing now." Joseph said as he waved to them and left.
"Oh yeah, what time are we filming again?" Nick asked them.
"This afternoon, after lunch." Kevin replied.
"After lunch," AJ growled, "so let's eat lunch first. I'm starving.".
Brian suddenly panicked by the thought of filming especially if it was this afternoon.
"I don't think I'm ready for this." Brian thought to himself while wringing his hands nervously. He followed the others to the cafeteria, waiting nervously of what will happen in the afternoon.
Chapter 6 by backstreet_fanatic
"Okay, Brian. This is your final shot. You miss that shot and you loss in your career." Joseph shouted at the speaker.
"Yeah, Brian, you can do it!" the other Backstreet Boys yelled at him.
Brian smiled. They've been together for so many years and this is a time when their true brother ship will be tested.
"Ok, in 3, 2, 1, go!".
AJ's voice sang in the stereo player, "... without you, within me, I can't find no rest.. where I'm going.. is anybody's guess..".
Brian tensed with nervousness waiting for the next line. Brian's hands were clasped and his face creased, and he bounced his emotions with the music. He was surprised when he succeeded in the end.
"That was great, cuz." Kevin slapped his back.
He heard similar comments from AJ, Howie, and Nick.
Finally, Joseph approached Brian and told him, "Brian, you've done good. I knew you can do it. Even though emotionally, you were not prepared, you were able to bounce your emotions with the music. I'm really proud of you.".
Brian was touched by what he said and walked to his room a taller man.
"Yo, B-rok, what's up?" Brian heard a voice behind him ask him.
Brian turned around to face AJ.
"I'm feeling good, AJ. How are you doing?".
"I feel great, but not as great as you feel" AJ replied while snickering.
"Wow, gee, AJ, get a load of yourself." a feminine voice replied.
"Oh, Leighanne, what are you doing here?" Brian asked rather nervously.
"Hi, AJ." Leighanne smiled at him. "and hi, Brian." Leighanne turned her glance to Brian with a cold stare. Brian couldn't take his wife's gaze, especially in the situation that they were facing now.
"Brian, let's talk business in a more private setting." Leighanne told him in a matter-of-factly manner, "AJ, would you excuse us.".
"Yes, Leigh." AJ replied, backing off in a surrender gesture.
"What's got into her... and Brian?" AJ thought as he backed away from the both of them.
AJ bumped into Kevin while walking toward his room.
"so, is Brian okay? Is he happy?" Kevin asked.
"Yup, he's really happy." AJ replied.
"Where's he?" Kevin asked again looking around him.
"He's talking business with Leighanne. She's here now." AJ told Kevin.
"Oh, okay." Kevin replied and did not continue further with the subject.

"What the hell is wrong with you, Brian?" Leighanne screeched at him when they finally reached a private spot.
"I've never done anything wrong, why are you shouting at me?" Brian shouted back.
"Yes, you did. You abandoned your own family in exchange for that freakin' tour!" Leighanne's eyes filled with tears.
"The tour is not starting until next month, Leigh," Brian told her, "there is nothing you have to worry about.".
"Oh, you're saying, Brian, that I don't have the right to worry, when Baylee is in the hospital being applied intensive care procedures while you just sit back and enjoy the show." her aggressive emotions came back.
"You think that I don't put the family as my first priority, but I do. I know God will heal Baylee like how he healed me... You just have to believe. I've been praying for him every night." Brian said hugging her.
"Don't say those things to me, because you know what? I had it!" Leighanne broke his hug and backed away from him. "I don't think you're worthy enough for anyone." she said. Leighanne held up her hand, revealing in her palm her wedding ring.
"This is for you, Brian. You might as well have it since I never will be seeing you again." she threw the ring at his feet.
Leighanne slowly walked away.
Then she turned back to Brian, to say her last words to him, "By the way, you don't have to go back home.".
Leighanne walked to her parked car, unlocked it, and drove away until her car was just a dot in the desert.
Chapter 7 by backstreet_fanatic
"What's taking Brian so long?" Howie asked as he ate dinner with Kevin, Nick and AJ.
"I think he's still talking to Leighanne." AJ replied munching his Salisbury steak.
"But Leighanne's car is not there." Nick said.
"How did you know?" Kevin asked.
"I just walked by the parking lot before dinner." Nick told the group, "By the way, I also didn't see Brian's car too.".
"What?" everyone except Nick said in unison.
"Yeah," Nick replied, I think he is in trouble.

Brian wiped tear drops from his eyes while trying to focus driving.
"How did all of this happen, anyway?" Brian thought to himself while he bit his bottom lip anxiously in order to avoid the tears which were there all along to burst.
He could hardly see though his tear-clogged eyes and he didn't know where he was headed. He just wanted to get away from everything and be alone where he could think about the events that occurred.
He finally stopped in a side street and secured the brakes in his car. He went out and looked at the stars above him.
"The stars guided travelers from afar and lead them to the place where Jesus was." he thought.
A tear rolled down his face when he thought that if the stars could guide travelers, then the maker of them would guide him through this difficult circumstance. He now felt desperate for a guide to lead him to the right path.
The chorus of his first single, In Christ Alone, reflected back to him:

In Christ alone, I place my trust,
and find my glory in the power of the cross.
In times of victory, let it be said of me,
my source of strength, my source of hope,
is Christ alone...

While trying to organize his thoughts, his cell phone rang inside his pocket. He answered it without knowing who it is.
"Where the heck are you?" Nick's voice rang out in the phone.
"I'm in Parkway Dr." Brian squinted at the street sign in front of him.
"I'm driving now." Nick said, "I gotta find you. We need to talk this over.".
Brian hung up the phone nervously. What if Nick saw him like this? Then all the anxieties that he was thinking about came to him as a slideshow in his mind. He was worrying of what will happen to his family life and of what will occur in the future for his career. He regretted doing the mistakes he had done and everything came back to him like a tidal wave. He burst into tears, regretting the fact that he was aloud to live and forgetting about the very purpose why he was still living. He found it very difficult to live in this present situation and he began to think about all the negative things about him. He thought of all the errors he did because of listening to the impulse in him. He ran a hand through his hair, thinking of what can be done so he could improve.
Suddenly, flashes of light came toward him and he was blinded by the sudden change of setting. He then felt pain in his temple as he fell to the pavement. He began to lose consciousness and the last he saw was Nick getting out of his car and running to him...
Chapter 8 by backstreet_fanatic
"Brian!" Nick shouted as he saw Brian fall to his left and hit his head.
"Are you okay?" Nick asked Brian which he failed to reply.
"Talk to me, Brian!" Nick shouted as he surveyed the injury that Brian had.
"Oh my gosh," Nick whispered to himself as he saw blood trickle from his head.
Then the truth dawned at him.
"He's unconscious and bleeding." Nick thought as he began to wonder what he would do.
Then a car pulled into the street and AJ, Kevin, and Howie got out, running to Nick and Brian.
"What happened?" Howie asked breathlessly.
"Oh my gosh!" AJ exclaimed as they tried to take in what they saw.
"What happened here?" Kevin asked, worry overtaking him.
"We've got to call 911," Nick replied while holding back the blood that was coming out from his head with his jacket.
"Brian's unconscious and bleeding nonstop.".
"Are you kidding?" AJ exasperated, "calling 911 in the middle of a desert?".
"What other solution do you have them?" Nick snapped.
He didn't usually snap, especially at AJ. Nick only snapped if he was frantic... or mad.
"I think AJ's right. We would have to bring him back." Kevin replied.
"I think Nick's right, except that we should bring him ourselves to the hospital, not call." Howie argued.
"But it's just too far." AJ complained.
They continued arguing until Nick's face paled. When the others saw Nick's pale face they looked at him. Nick was trying fervently to stop the flowing wound of Brian's temple with his jacket and was also staring fearfully at a rattlesnake which was slowly approaching them.
"You gotta be kidding me, D. The nearest hospital is about 50 miles away." AJ continued to talk, unaware of the rattlesnake approaching Brian and Nick.
"Just shut up, AJ." Kevin hushed nervously but firmly.
AJ then realized what was happening.
The fear could be clearly seen in Nick's blue eyes as the snake slowly approached him. The snake's rattle was rattling, which was not a good sign. The snake opened it's mouth, revealing its sharp fangs.
Nick shivered at the thought of the rattlesnake biting him.
"Just stay calm." he told himself as he took regulated breaths. "There's a chance the snake won't bite you.".
Nick tried to calm himself down. He was horrified when he saw that the snake was poised, ready to jump at him. He closed his eyes, feeling the hisses of the snake and waiting for its sharp fangs to bite him.
Chapter 9 by backstreet_fanatic
Nick could feel the hairs behind his neck go up as the snake pounced. Snap! Nick expected to feel the sudden pain of the fangs on his neck but instead, he saw the snake dangling in mid-air, it's fangs bit hard into a branch which Howie was holding. Howie winked at Nick. Howie finally threw the branch as far as he could. They saw the snake slither away.
"Thanks Howie, I thought I was dead for good." Nick grinned weakly.
"That was no problem." Howie replied, "we didn't want to see you dead.".
Then for a while, silence overtook them. They thought of what they should do with Brian.
AJ finally spoke up, "I think we should bring Brian to the hospital. Sorry for contradicting you guys." he told Nick and Howie.
"Yeah," Kevin said.
Finally, after almost two hours in the desert, AJ helped Nick carry Brian to Nick's car. AJ, Nick, and Brian would be riding in Nick's car while Kevin and Howie would be following along in Kevin's car.

As they reached the hospital, they brought Brian to the emergency room, where he was immediately treated. The rest looked on hopefully that Brian's injury was not worse.
"I hope Brian's okay." Nick expressed his thoughts to the group, which reflected what they were thinking about.
"Yeah," Kevin replied. "I hope we could be out of here as soon as possible.".
"I think we should also help Brian." AJ commented somberly.
"Yeah, I've noticed that he's been having a hard time." Howie replied.
"I've never seen Brian this distressed before," Nick said ruffling his hair, "it just makes me guilty because I've never been a good friend to him.".
He hid his face with his hands and hunched his back, aware that he was about to cry.
"It's okay, Nick." AJ told him patting him on the back, "It's not your fault.".
Suddenly, Dr. Parker approached them carrying a clipboard with Brian's medical prescription.
"Um... I'm sorry to interrupt you guys." Dr. Parker began cautiously, aware of the fact that Nick was crying.
"No, it's okay." Kevin replied standing up and shaking his hand.
Dr. Parker didn't expect this and smiled while Kevin shook his hand.
"Brian has a wound on his head, which I think you clearly know." Dr. Parker told the group, "He must have fallen pretty hard, which could explain the severe bleeding that he had and his unconsciousness...".
"How is his condition now?" Howie interrupted, "Is he okay?".
"He's awake now." Dr. Parker replied smiling. "He is okay, but..." Dr. Parker paused looking intently at the group, "he shouldn't stress his voice too much.".
"What do you mean by that?" Nick asked his tear-stricken face looking at Dr. Parker.
"He can't sing, dummy." AJ replied nudging him in the shoulder.
"But...." Dr. Parker interrupted, "he is recommended to relax his voice for at least one week. The testings show that he has been suffering from faintness. This could be caused from lack of sleep. There is also a soar throat developing in him.".
Nick's eyes filled with tears.
"If I had been with Brian more, I could have prevented this from happening." he thought.

Brian woke up after what seemed like hours in a strange environment. He realized then that he was in the hospital.
"It's okay, jut relax." a person gently pushed him down when he tried to sit up.
Brian's thoughts were then drifted to what happened previously before he became unconscious. He was thinking about the problems that he was having, and then he saw flashes of light.
His thoughts were broken when Nick, Howie, AJ, and Kevin entered the room. He noticed that Nick had been crying by his red eyes. Now he was wearing one of those smiles where he would try to hide his inner emotions.
Since they've been together for so long, they could discern the feelings that each had.
"How are you, B-rok?" AJ asked grinning.
"I'm fine." Brian said trying again effortlessly to sit up.
"Whoa, hoa, Brian, you gotta relax." Kevin said.
Brian then stopped and continued to lie down, because he didn't have the energy to sit up.
"Brian, we have something to tell you." Howie began nervously .
Brian looked expectantly at them waiting for Howie to continue. When his eyes finally met Nick's, he could finally tell by the expression in his face that what he is about to hear is bad news.
"We decided that you should rest for one week." Howie finished waiting for the reply that Brian would give..
"Yeah, sure." Brian replied, relieved that it wasn't something worse.
Then he thought about their tour, and the two video singles which was yet to be filmed. His heart ached and he felt guilty for letting down his band mates.
"Are you guys fine without me?" Brian asked concerned.
"Yeah," Kevin replied, "we would be organizing the parts for the two video singles.".
rian lay back in the hospital bed, exhausted, but he knew that there was something that they weren't telling him by the looks that they gave him.
Chapter 10 by backstreet_fanatic
"So when are we meeting again to plan for the video singles?" Nick asked relaxing himself in the cushion beside AJ.
"Maybe, Friday?" Kevin looked questioningly at the group.
"We need to stop this bull shit." AJ sweared putting his hands on top of his head in exasperation.
"Excuse me," Howie replied dismissively, "but we still have to succeed as a group.".
"Do you call this a group?" AJ asked exasperatedly, "Do you call this the Backstreet Boys? Howie, Kevin, AJ, and Nick? Shouldn't we do all this together?".
"Brian's still one of us, AJ." Kevin replied, "he just needs more time to reflect.".
"Aren't we suppose to be by his side in the first place?" AJ interrupted Kevin, "Aren't we suppose to help him up whenever he is down? I know you guys want to five him time to rest, but really, guys, excluding him from the group permanently? I mean, it's not like you guys anymore.".
Nick listened to the argument that AJ, Howie, and Kevin were having. The words that AJ said reflected his very own thoughts.
"Brian shouldn't be left out. You know, it would only make him feel worse about himself if you permanently discard him from us. It is totally not BSB to just discard someone." Nick in his mind wanted to shout at them, but fortunately, because of his self-control, he was able to keep his thoughts to himself.
"We're not permanently discarding him," Howie commented, "We've decided that we will plan for this without Brian for awhile. Then we could get his opinion after he feels better about himself.".
"Then when will he feel better about himself?" Nick asked, his anger finally taking over him.
Silence suddenly fell on the group. Nick looked uncomfortably at AJ, Howie, and Kevin thinking that he had somehow triggered a heartstring in them by asking that question.
After several moments of silence, Kevin finally told the group silently, "I think we would have to leave him out of our activities until he gets better.".
"You can't just leave him out like that!" Nick shouted in reply to what Kevin just told them.
"But he doesn't have the strength, you know." Kevin replied.
"Nick has a point, you know." AJ told Kevin. "If Brian misses out on our next video single, he may not be able to be in the rest of the videos with us, unless we postpone it." Nick said.
"Exactly, I don't want to postpone it." Kevin insisted. "Cool down, guys." Howie told Nick and Kevin, who had their fists clutched.
Slowly, as if on cue, AJ and Nick stood up and left Kevin and Howie sitting on the cushions.
"Why do we have to be so divided?" Nick asked himself in frustration knowing that he himself can't answer it.
Chapter 11 by backstreet_fanatic
Brian sat in his hospital bed, dressed in outside clothes, and ready to go wherever he would feel at home. He began to worry about what he will do and where he will go during the week break that was strongly recommended for him.
Brian looked up from his sea of thoughts when AJ and Nick entered the room.
As if reading his thoughts, Nick told him, "You can stay in my house.".
"Yeah." Brian replied looking quietly at each somber face.

After an hour of paperwork, they were ready to go. Brian rode with Nick while AJ and Howie rode with Kevin in his car.
"Um... Nick, thanks for letting my stay in your house," Brian began uncertainly.
"It's okay, Brian. I know you're not really ready to go back. I know you'll have a harder time taking an airplane and going home." Nick grinned, though deep inside he knew that Brian wasn't saying something concerning Leighanne.
"Yeah," Brian replied, "so when are you planning to...".
"How's Leighanne?" Nick asked interrupting Brian.
"Um..." Brian looked down.
He didn't want to see Nick's reaction when he told him the truth.
"We're divorced." Brian then replied.
Nick nearly rammed to another car because of his shock.
"Are you serious, Brian?" Nick asked after he finally recovered from his shock.
"Yes." Brian replied trying to hold his growing emotions back.
"It's not your fault." Nick tried to comfort him putting a hand on his shoulder while driving with the other.
"It's just... It's just..." Brian tried to say.
"It's just how life is." Nick frowned.
Ever since Nick broke up with Paris, he had been empty inside, but he knew that he should move on in life. Nick felt at that moment the growing tension of thinking about Paris.
"It's just that Baylee was sick at that time when we had to film the Incomplete video single, so I was really worried that..." Brian tried to explain but Nick interrupted him,
"Yeah, Brian. We know that, but why did it go all the way to getting a divorce? I mean seriously, you won't do anything that would make her that mad..." Nick replied.
"She said I wasn't a good father and that I didn't deserve..." then he broke in tears, not able to control his emotions any longer.
"It's okay, Brian." Nick comforted him, "We're always here for you, just remember that. We would never leave you whatever the cost.".
Brian looked up at Nick encouraged. There was something that he was saying that was familiar.
"I will never leave you nor forsake you." a verse from the Bible reflected back to him. Now he truly valued the time he allotted to memorizing Bible verses.
"That's just how life is/" he heard Nick's voice ring in his head.
He's mind then flew back to the time when he was singing solitary in front of a big congregation in church. He remembered the time he was hospitalized and he had a 0% chance of living. He remembered the energy that went through him as they were praying for him. He remembered receiving a call from Kevin in his American History class, which eventually led to his success with the Backstreet Boys. He remembered auditioning and the feelings of anxiety that he had. He remembered the experiences he had with the Backstreet Boys.
All the problems that they faced throughout the years came back to him and he realized one truth about their group which was not seen in any other ordinary singing group. They were a group that stood together over all the years and that still had the confidence inside them, which was loved greatly by the fans. This confidence, he realized, kept them going even after four years of rest from the music industry, and almost a decade of being in the music industry in total.
His thoughts then drifted to Leighanne, when they first met while filming As Long As You Love Me. Then he remembered the time when they said their wedding vows to each other in their wedding. He remembered the smile he had when Baylee was born and the smile Baylee had when he was growing up.
Then a thought struck him, "We have a purpose in life and sometimes there are some trying times that come to our lives which we can't stop but we can live through it.".
He realized at that very moment that a divorce wasn't the answer to all the problems that went through their family...
"Hello, Brian? Are you sick or something?" Nick asked him moving his hand over Brian's face.
"Um... no." Brian replied sitting straight immediately.
"We're here." Nick said, one of his hands in the steering wheel and the other securing the brake.
"Oh, okay." Brian said, relaxing back in his chair.
He noticed that they were in a McDonald's parking lot.
"Are we eating?" Brian asked Nick facing him.
"Yeah..." Nick replied rather uncertainly as he turned the car key in it's key hole to off the engines.
Nick went out of the car followed by Brian. Nick looked around for Kevin's car. Then he saw it, parked beside an Echo.
After their recent argument, Nick was really unsure of what will be Kevin's reaction when he saw him.
"Please, don't get mad at me." Nick said silently to himself as they both entered the fast-food restaurant.
Chapter 12 by backstreet_fanatic
"I feel really bad about Brian." Howie told them pitifully as they were lining up for their order.
"Oh yeah, do you feel bad about Nick too?" Kevin said sarcastically as he remembered in anger the recent argument that they had in the hospital.
"It was just a misunderstanding, Kevin." AJ replied defending Nick.
"You were part of that argument, you know?"
"What?" AJ asked innocently, "I was just saying at that time that Nick had a point.".
"Quit it guys, here comes Nick and Brian." Howie said gesturing to them.
"Hi." Brian greeted them as they lined up behind them. "Hi." Nick greeted them quietly while falling behind Brian.
"Oh, hi, Nick and Brian." Howie greeted them planting a smile on his face.
"What's up?" AJ butted in.
"We're fine." Nick replied.
At that moment, the line moved and it was AJ's turn to order.
"What can I get you, sir?" the female attendant looked intently at AJ with her blue innocent eyes ready to punch in the order.
"I think I'll have a double quarter pounder with a large coke." AJ replied almost immediately.
"Again?" Nick grinned maliciously, "Don't you think you can order something else?".
"I'll have a large fries and an egg Mcflurry too." AJ told the attendant while she punched in the total.
AJ gave the cash and the cashier gave the change to AJ.
"See you in the table." AJ told Nick and Brian.
"Yeah." Brain replied while Nick told his order to the attendant.

"Get over it, Kevin. You can't argue with Nick forever." Howie told him while he was eating his burger.
"Yeah, I can't argue with him forever, but I can't stand him now." Kevin replied in frustration, slightly raising his voice.
"Um... can we have a seat?" Brian asked them uncertainly.
"Yeah, sure." Kevin replied almost knocking over his coke in surprise.
Nick looked hesitantly at his cheeseburger before eating it.
"Were they talking about me?" Nick asked himself thoughtfully while he bit into his burger.
They were quiet for a moment, then AJ started conversing tiredly, "We are so quiet today.".
Brian sighed looking briefly at each of them. Kevin and Nick were staring angrily at each other, while AJ and Howie were eating nervously. Brian then suddenly wished that they weren't as divided as they were currently. He felt very insecure, and he had that impulse of leaving everything behind. But he stubbornly resisted that temptation and put away the nervousness and fear that have so long lingered in his mind. He decided to be the one to make things right.
"What happened to you, guys?" Brian asked them questioningly.
He felt the strength that he so longed for grow strong in him and his confidence increase.
"We're suppose to be the Backstreet Boys and look how divided we are now." Brian continued expressing the deep thoughts that lingered in his heart for so long.
He felt the eyes of other people from other tables looking at them. It definitely stopped conversation in those groups, when they realized that they were in the same room with the Backstreet Boys. Brian didn't care about the eyes upon him, he knew he had to speak his mind this time.
"We're sorry, Brian. We didn't mean for it to be that way." Kevin apologized somberly.
Nick having heard this eased from his boiling rage.
"We should always try to become the best we can be. That's our purpose as humans anyway, right?"
"Right." AJ replied rather happily good to see that Brian was becoming himself already.
"We were given the privilege to sing together and we shouldn't take it for granted." Brian continued, "We should always remember to stand together and look forward in expectation.".
Chapter 13 by backstreet_fanatic
Even though he felt emotionally and physically strong, Brian didn't rebel with the one week rest that was recommended for him. He knew that there were still some issues in his life that he needed to reflect about.
He put down the book he was reading, Purpose-Driven Life.
He sighed pleasantly and looked up at the clear sky above him.
He was sitting comfortably on one of the beach chairs beside the swimming pool, though he did not plan to swim.
He decided at that very moment to walk around.
He stood up, stretching his cramped body.
He looked intently at his reflection in the swimming pool. He was a man now, not the teenager he used to know the last time he looked at his own reflection in a swimming pool with the other boys.
He smiled and reminded himself that, that was almost ten years ago.
He continued to walk around the pool and he reflected on the happy times he had with the other boys.
He remembered the time he was messing around with Nick. He then went way back and thought about the time when the principal of Tates Creek High School called him to receive a phone call from his cousin, Kevin Richardson. He remembered the feelings of nervousness he had when auditioning. He recalled calling his family and telling them that he was accepted in the audition. He remembered touring around the world and gaining many fans. He remembered attending Kevin's wedding, and realizing how a happy wedding it was. He remembered feeling his first kiss with Leighanne in their wedding. He recalled holding Baylee newly born in his arms, and feeling the satisfaction that he had always been waiting.
All the negative experiences that just happened to him recently faded away, like how snow would fade on a hot day.
With all these events encouraging him, he realized that he had a mission to fulfill. He realized that he was spared because God had something to do in his life and he knew all too well that he had something to do.
He brought out his long-neglected notebook, where he usually wrote all the songs that he composed specifically for an album that he was planning to release. He scanned through it and realized that he was inspired by his own hand, who was inspired by the one who protected him. He read through on of the songs, My Answer Is You. The lyrics spoke to him like quotes from his own heart.

"There's a world of difference when faith is in our hearts
It stands out like sunlight
Life becomes so dark
And when those around me ask why I dare to dream
Or why I love and why I sing..."

He looked up at the sun shining down at him.

"My answer is You, my answer is You..."

He felt tears build up in his eyes.

"You 're the hope that my hears it holding on to
Skeptics won't understand
It's strange from the world's point of view... Yeah
My answer is You..."

He then realized, at that very moment, that he had forgotten something very important. He had forgotten the very thing that held him together through trying moments such as this. He sat down and he prayed. He prayed that everything would go well in the production of the other music videos. He prayed that their album would do well. He prayed for the other boys: Howie, Kevin, Nick, and AJ; that they would be able to find peace and stability in their relationships. And most of all, he prayed for Leighanne and Baylee. He prayed that Leighanne would be able to get through the feelings of nervousness and depression that he knew she was facing right now, and he prayed for Baylee. Brian cried the hardest for him. He prayed that Baylee would be healed, and that the disease that is in his body would go away.
Most of all, he prayed that he would be able to fulfill his mission... the mission he was yet to do.
Tears were streaming down his face, but inside he was calm. He felt energy and passion feed through him like the satisfaction he gets from eating in a hungry state. He felt encouraged and more motivated to do his part.
Chapter 14 by backstreet_fanatic
Brian found himself in a dream-like world awhile later. He saw Nick smiling pleasantly at him as he walked him to the front. He saw Howie, Kevin, and AJ look happily at him. He saw a beautiful, blond-haired woman walking towards him, wearing an elegant, white wedding gown. Her veil covered her lovely face that lay beneath. He saw Baylee running and laughing along the aisle. He realized a moment later that they were saying their vows.
"I do." Brian replied to the question asked by the pastor. A question was directed to the woman beside him and he recognized the voice that replied to it. He then realized that he was putting on a ring on the woman's hand.
"You man now kiss the bride." he heard the pastor say.
In response, Brian removed the veil from the woman's face, revealing Leighanne's face smiling up at him. A look of surprise came to his face but it quickly disappeared as they were caught in a passionate kiss, where the world dissolved around them and the only people who existed at that very moment were the two of them and Baylee...

"You gotta wake up, Brian.". Brian was jostled awake by Nick, who was shaking him continuously.
"It's 8pm, man, you know." Nick said who persisted to shake him.
"Okay, Nick, I'm awake." Brian replied trying to stop him from shaking him.
Brian then realized that it was dark, and he was still on the beach chair he lay on that afternoon.
"You look like you just had a good sleep." Nick grinned, looking at his friend, "You even missed dinner.".
"Oh, really?" Brian said standing up and running inside the house.
"Just kidding, I just prepared supper." Nick called back running after him.

"Tom and Robin are currently composing a song." Nick began as they were eating a dinner of instant TV dinners, "They need an idea on what the title will be.".
"How could you make a title without the lyrics?" Brian asked Nick.
"They need some ideas." Nick replied.
"Oh, okay. So what have you guys suggested?"
"Here." Nick pulled out a paper containing scribbles made by himself and the other boys.
Brian read each of the titles scribbled on the paper:
Safe In My Heart, My Hiding Place, Indescribable, Sweet Girl.
Brian recognized the latter one as Nick's handwriting. He grinned. He then began to think of what his suggestion to the title should be. He wanted it to compose of the different titles suggested by the others and at the same time, unique within. He quickly wrote the title that he wanted for the song, 'Safest Place to Hide'. He returned the paper to Nick, who read it approvingly.
"Safest Place to Hide, oh how sweet." Nick teased him, pretending to erase the title that Brian wrote.
"Oh, come on, stop it." Brian replied snatching the paper from him.
"Gosh, I was just reading it." Nick exaggerated, throwing the remains of his food.
Chapter 15 by backstreet_fanatic
t was one week later and Brian felt great after recording 'Rush Over Me'. He remembered helping Harvey and Damon write the song. It was basically a group written song. Each of them wrote something in that song. He started to feel better and he began to move on in life. He looked at the sheet he held in his hands, the sheet where all of them wrote their suggested titles to the song that Tom and Robin were trying to compose. Brian approached the boys and greeted them as they sat down to listen to the recording of 'Rush Over Me'. He felt satisfied and he finally felt the broken pieces of his heart collect. They talked business for awhile. Then finally, Nick excused himself from the group because his cellphone was ringing.
"Hello, who is this?" Nick asked the caller.
"May I speak to Brian?" he heard Leighanne's torn voice reply to his question.
He heard her sob as he hesitated to do what she asked.
"What is it about?" Nick asked compassionately.
"It's about Baylee. He needs to come to St. Phil's Hospital right away." Leighanne said.
"Ok, I'll tell him." Nick told Leighanne, "Don't worry.".
Then he hang up.
As he joined the group again, he saw that they were laughing hysterically to a joke made by AJ. He excused Brian and told him everything that Leighanne told him.
"She told you to meet her in the lobby of St. Phil's Hospital." Nick told Brian.
"Okay." Brian replied.
Nick whispered to Kevin that Brian had to leave because of Baylee, and in a state of full understanding, he nodded sympathetically. Brian silently left the group and went to his car in the parking lot. He was near to running when he bumped into Max.
"Where are you going, Brian?" Max called out to him as he continued running.
"I need to go somewhere." Brian called back as he opened the doors to the parking lot.
Max shrugged helplessly, visibly confused.

As Brian drove to St. Phil's Hospital, he opened the radio and he heard one of their songs, Incomplete, play. He smiled pleasantly, and he remembered recording that song.
As soon as they released the song, it was honored the first place on Billboard and on other local and international stations. After about 5 years of being out of the music industry, their songs are starting to take impact on the public again. And it being one of the top on most radio stations showed that they had many fans from all over the world.
As he drove into the hospital's parking lot, he saw an ambulance pass by and he remembered the time he was hospitalized for a whole summer. He remembered the power of prayer that healed him miracously. He secured the brakes and locked the car before half-walking and half-running to the lobby.

When he arrived in the lobby, he looked frantically for Leighanne. He finally spotted her coming out of one of the elevators. He waved at her to get her attention. She spotted and approached him. She had her head low and her mid- length blond hair trailed behind her. Her heeled shoes clinked to the beat of her strides. Finally she reached him and looked up, her tear-stricken face looking up at him and Brian's compassionate face looking down at her in response.
"What happened?" Brian asked.
"Baylee's in the ICU." was her only reply.
They approached the elevator quietly.
Chapter 16 by backstreet_fanatic
As the elevator went up to the 17th floor, it seemed like hours before it even reached there. Leighanne and Brian were the only ones in the elevator and they avoided contact with each other, fearing what the other will say.
Finally, after a moment of silence, Brian stretched out his arm and lay his hand on Leighanne’s shoulder. Leighanne looked at Brian, her brown eyes revealing something which she wasn’t saying.
“Baylee’s going to be okay.” Brian comforted as the elevator doors finally opened in the 17th floor.

“He’s in a critical condition.” Leighanne told Brian quietly as they entered Baylee’s room. Brian was pierced by the sight of Baylee. There were several doctors inside and they were trying to raise up Baylee’s heart rate, which was dangerously low. Many tubes were connected to him, and at the sight of it, it seemed like he was dependent on it to live, but truly, Brian knew that Baylee’s life was entirely on God’s hands. He then remembered the time they were doing that to him 25 years ago. He remembered the power of prayer that healed him miracously. Leighanne was horrified by the sight, and was in tears on his arms.
After sometime, a doctor approached them, clearly with bad news by the look on his eyes.
“We believe that Baylee’s heart rate is decreasing and we are effortless to increase his heart rate. We advise you to prepare for funeral arrangements.”
“Let me go to him.” Brian replied firmly.
“Okay.” the doctor said letting him pass through.
Brian held his son’s pale and limp hand and felt his pulse grow weaker and weaker…
He finally laid his hand on Baylee’s small body and began to pray.
He kissed his son in the forehead with compassion and went back to Leighanne. The doctors went back to their positions and did their best to revive him. His heart stopped momentarily and everyone thought that he was dead. Leighanne cried and Brian could feel tears build up in his eyes. But then Baylee’s heart beat again, and they said a prayer of thanks because of that. His heart rate increased until it came to a normal boy’s heart rate.
One of the doctors approached him and told him, “We’ve never seen a miracle like that before. That’s amazing.”
“Don’t thank me,” Brian replied looking up, “thank God.”.
The doctor nodded and went back to his work.
Leighanne hugged Brian and apologized, “I’m so sorry, Brian.”
“It’s okay, Leighanne.” Brian replied, smiling, a thought in his mind.
Chapter 17 by backstreet_fanatic
It was a dream come true. This was the happiest day of his life.
Leighanne and Brian kissed again while white flowers fell lightly on
top of them. They finally held each other's hands as they went to the
boys.
"Hi Brian." Nick grinned, clapping a hand on his back.
"Hi Nick." Brian greeted him back happily.
"Hi Daddy." a little voice greeted Brian from below him.
"Hi, little man." Brian said, carrying Baylee while Leighanne laughed.
"We're a family again." Leighanne told Brian.
"We've always been a family." Brian replied to Leighanne while kissing
Baylee's forehead.
"Why weren't you home, Daddy?" Baylee asked him questioningly.
"Daddy's always at home." he told Baylee…

He found himself in the recording room awhile later. He had headphones
in his ears and a microphone in front of him, the ordinary recording
routine. He looked expectantly at his family and at the boys. Even
though they've had disagreements, they were still able to last. He
looked back a few days earlier when Tom called him and the group to
look at the lyrics of a song. Brian was surprised that the phrase he
wrote on the piece of paper was chosen to be the title of the song. He
looked back at the lyrics of `Safest Place To Hide'. The lyrics
inspired him greatly.
He saw Jeff Rothsfield give the go signal and he heard the music play
in his headphones.

He started singing,
"Oh…. it seems like yesterday when I said, "I do."
and after all this time my heart still runs for you
If you don't know by now that you're my only one
take a look inside me and watch my heartstrings come undone.

Nick's voice rang out in his head as he thought about the recent
events that happened to him,
"I know I promised you forever
is there no stronger word I can use
to reassure you when the storm is ranging outside
you're my safest place to hide."

He felt the emotions of the song as he sang,
"Can you see me… here I am
I need you like I needed you then
when I feel like giving up
I climb inside you're heart I still find
you're my safest place to hide."

He heard Nick's voice playing in the recording,
"You see colors no one else can see…
in every breath you hear a symphony
you understand me like nobody can
I feel my soul unfolding like a flower blooming."

AJ's voice rang out,
"When this whole world gets too crazy
and there's no where left to run
I know you give me sanctuary
you're the only truth I know
you're the road back home."

He felt passion go through him as he sang the chorus,
"Can you see me… here I am
standing here where I've always been
and when words are not enough
I come inside your heart I'd still find
You're my safest place to hide
you're my safest place to hide."

He listened to the words speak to his mind,
"I know I promised you forever
is there no stronger word I can use
to reassure you when the storm is ranging outside
you're my safest place to hide."

He let the energy provided by the lyrics wash through him,
"Can you see me here I am
standing here where I've always been
and when words are not enough
I come inside your heart I'd still find
You're my safest place to hide,
oh yeah, you're my safest place to hide."

He ended triumphantly and went back to them.
"You sounded great." Nick grinned at his friend.
"I feel great too." Brian replied, looking at Leighanne with a now
healthy Baylee in her arms.
Howie, Kevin and AJ said similar comments.
Tom finally approached him and said, "I heard you got married again.".

"Yeah." Brian replied putting a shoulder around Leighanne, "I loved
the song.".
"Which song?" Tom asked.
"The one we just recorded."
"Safest Place To Hide? Why thanks." Tom thanked him, "What made you
like it so much?".
"The song reminds me of someone who never left me." Brian replied proudly.
"Oh, okay." Tom looked at Leighanne, thinking it would be her, when
actually Brian was referring to someone else.

Brian lay down that night a satisfied man. He looked at Leighanne who
was beside him, sleeping. He survived the worst things that could ever
happen to a man his age: rejection, divorce, sickness of a loved one,
and others. He knew he was becoming the man he truly wanted to be and
his broken heart was slowly healing. He said a prayer of thanks before
he slept. Before he drifted to a blissful world, he thought about the
fortress he has now, the friend who has never left him through trying
times, his safest place to hide, God.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=7815