Against All Odds by scarlett
Summary:

He is the youngest and the most popular member of the famous group, the Backstreet Boys. Nick Carter is about to face a big change and will discover a big secret that will affect and endanger his life. He met a wonderful woman of whom he would like to convince that he loves her and will fight for her against all odds.

(My first fanfic that is not an Alternate Universe. But this is not the usual BSB story)

DISCLAIMER: This story is purely fan fiction only and none of the events mentioned here have happened or related to what happened in real life. This is only upon the imagination of the author.

 

 


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: None
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 26 Completed: Yes Word count: 31039 Read: 42318 Published: 05/29/06 Updated: 11/27/08
Story Notes:
DISCLAIMER: This story is purely fan fiction only and none of the events mentioned here have happened or related to what happened in real life. This is only upon the imagination of the author.

1. ONE by scarlett

2. TWO by scarlett

3. THREE by scarlett

4. FOUR by scarlett

5. FIVE by scarlett

6. SIX by scarlett

7. SEVEN by scarlett

8. EIGHT by scarlett

9. NINE by scarlett

10. TEN by scarlett

11. ELEVEN by scarlett

12. TWELVE by scarlett

13. THIRTEEN by scarlett

14. FOURTEEN by scarlett

15. FIFTEEN by scarlett

16. SIXTEEN by scarlett

17. SEVENTEEN by scarlett

18. EIGHTEEN by scarlett

19. NINETEEN by scarlett

20. TWENTY by scarlett

21. TWENTY ONE by scarlett

22. TWENTY TWO by scarlett

23. TWENTY THREE by scarlett

24. Chapter 24 by scarlett

25. Chapter 25 by scarlett

26. Epilogue by scarlett

ONE by scarlett

 

 

“Ew. Uh, Leigh?” Nick looked around in search for Brian’s wife, Leighanne, who’s been busy hosting around for Baylee’s birthday party. Nick walked across the garden of Brian’s backyard, passing through some noisy kids who were children of their colleagues as well as some of their friends. He carried Baylee, who kept on drooling and playing with Nick’s nose. He wanted to get the little guy down but Baylee will cry. Brian will scold him if he made his son cry.

“Nice one, little guy,” Nick chuckled. “But I have to give you back to your Mom before you put all your dirt on me.” Baylee just got through eating brownies and he wiped his dirty hands on Nick’s green shirt. “Ew! Baylee, you don’t do this to your uncle.” He said, almost pleading with the little guy to stop. “You just don’t do this…”

“Nick,” Baylee laughed and kept on playing with Nick’s nose.

“Baylee loves your nose, Nicky.” AJ singsong as he came behind Nick. He just arrived with Howie.

“Oh, great, AJ. My savior,” Nick immediately tries to give Baylee to AJ but the latter refused and so, Howie took the kid instead.

“Yuck, what’s with the brownies? What’s the matter with you, Baylee?” Howie asked the kid as Baylee began playing with his eyes. “Where are Brian and Leigh?”

Nick gave his friend an impish grin as he wipes his face with his shirt. “And I am free.” Howie sighed as he walked off to look for Baylee’s parents. “Where have you been?” Nick asked AJ, whose hair has come clean and turned back to its original black color.

“We went to a travel counselor to inquire about spending a short vacation to London.” AJ grinned. “We thought if you’d like to come along since we knew how much you love Europe.” They started walking towards the house.

“Huh? You’re taking me with you?”

“At your own expense?”

“Of course. Besides, I’m off from my work. I’d like to have some time off for vacation before we have another tour. I think I deserved that.” Nick replied as they went straight to the second level of the house towards the game room.

“You deserved what?” Kevin asked when they passed by him down the hall. “That’s gross, Nick. I thought you’ve gone through the age of playing with your own food.” He added upon seeing Nick’s messy shirt.

“Baylee got so happy and messed around with me.” Nick rolled his eyes. “I deserved vacation. We’re going to London, wanna join us?” He asked the older guy.

“Who’s going?”

“Howie, AJ and I.”

Kevin shook his head. “I’m sorry, I’ll pass. Kristin and I are set on our second honeymoon. Seeing Baylee turned another year inspired us to decide on making our own baby.” He gave the two a grin and shared high fives with them.

“Man! Second honeymoon?” AJ laughed. “Aren’t you always on a honeymoon?” He joked. Kevin poked him playfully on the ribs and went off. Nick and AJ continued on their way.

“Howie already got a serious girlfriend. So, that leaves the two of us.” Nick said with a chuckle. “Do you think when am I going to get married?”

“Enjoy your youth, Nicky. That’s all I’ve got to say.” AJ advised and gave his brother a sincere smile. “There’s no need to rush. Great things will come to those who wait.”



~~~



Nick saw his former girlfriend, Anne, in front of his gates. He hadn’t seen her since the last day in the court where she sued him for the issue of publicly humiliating her in public when a sex video of them showed up. Nick knew better than do such a thing and denied her accusations. He’d never do that to a woman, much less to his ex-girlfriend. He had great respect for women, considering that he grew up surrounded by them – his mother and his sisters. And there was no sex video of them. He knew it was fake. At the end of the court hearings, Anne was found lying and the court sentenced her to pay for moral damages she caused Nick. He’d rather let her pay him and forget about filing a counter charge against her. He doesn’t want any more issue about it.

It has been months ago. After all that has happened, Nick wondered what she is doing here.

He stopped his car in front of her while the gates are opening automatically before them. He lowered his car window and faced her. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m giving this back to you.” Anne shoved a shoebox to him.

“You could have sent this instead to your PA.” Nick said, looking at the contents of the box. It contains stuff he’s given her. “Assuming that paparazzi are just around the corner, we’ll be at the headlines of tomorrow’s Entertainment Tonight again.”

“Well, I want to see you.”

Nick turned to her, pushing up his sunglasses over his head. “That’s a first. Why?”

“I want to say sorry personally.” Anne replied. Nick stared at her for a moment and then went out of his car. He never regretted having a relationship with her. He had special moments with each of his former girlfriends, not really minding if their intentions were just to use him for their own fame. “It took me a lot of courage to do that. I’ve done terrible things in the past and I’m sorry.”

Nick looked down to her. “I hope you learn your lesson, Anne. It’s not really right to use other people for your own ambitions. I could have helped you if that’s what you want but you did something awful. I don’t think I’d be able to forget that. But I’m accepting your apologies although there’s no room for friendship anymore. You’ve been a great girlfriend but it’s just a waste that things have to happen this way.” Anne is one of those who aspired to make it big in Hollywood. Nick didn’t find himself that famous enough to be a Hollywood celebrity and he wondered why women like Anne and Paris used him for their own claim to fame. Anne could have used her own talent to make it through while Paris had her own surname to use as an easy ticket to get through the door of fame.

Anne bit her lower lip. “I understand.”

Nick nodded and turned back inside his car. He drove inside. He learned his lesson in trusting women and dating them. He takes one last look at Anne as the automatic doors slowly closed behind him. There’s nothing more to say. He closed that chapter with Anne and he’s ready to move on.
TWO by scarlett
Author's Notes:
FROM THE LAST CHAPTER: Nick decided to go off on vacation to Europe with his two friends, Howie andd AJ. And he also ended a chapter in his life after a scandalous break-up with an ex-girlfriend.

 

 

“Wow! I’ve always liked Europe,” Nick silently mumbled as he and the other guys discreetly walked out of the Arrival Area and to the taxis waiting outside the Heathrow Airport. They decided not to tell anyone about this vacation so they can spend some time alone without being bothered by media. Nick learned the pressures of being famous in an early age and for a small period of time, he wished he can spend it privately with his friends – without anyone knowing where they are. He thinks he deserved that. After the family drama he had in the past few years and having had some unusual relationships, he deserved some good treats for himself. The other Backstreet Boys understand him. So right now, AJ and Howie are with him. Kevin was left in California to refocus himself on some political work that he’s been doing recently, as well as spending quality time with his wife, Kristin. Brian remained in Atlanta to take care of his son while it was Leighanne’s turn to work.

Nick was so caught up with his thoughts that he didn’t notice a woman heavily laden with bags. He bumped into her as the woman dropped her big Louis Vuitton on the floor, along with two other paper bags. “Oh, Miss! I’m so sorry.” Nick immediately helped her. AJ and Howie, who had seen them, walked back and helped Nick. “I’m so sorry.”

“I’m perfectly fine by now.” The woman replied with a mixed English and American accent. Nick noticed it. He always liked to hear the way people talk wherever he goes. “I have to go.” She said. Nick looked at the woman and his heart raced. He couldn’t understand why but he just felt as if his heart goes out to her. Those lovely eyes, dark brown hair, her charming face is just simply breathtaking. “Uh, hi.” He couldn’t help saying. He wanted to smack himself for finding it so lame.

The woman blushed. She looked at Nick and their gazes stuck. Then she looked away. Howie and AJ gave each other meaningful looks and then smiled. They saw the instant attraction between their friend and the lovely woman. “I have to go then. Thank you.” But then, the woman looked back at Howie, AJ then to Nick. “Aren’t you the Backstreet Boys?” She asked. She waved her hand before the guys could utter a reply. “Stupid question. Of course, you are. You graced my best friend’s wall since junior high.” She said then took her bags and walked off. The rest who were left behind watched her go away.

“Now, that one is different,” Howie said.

“She didn’t even ask for your autograph, Nick.” Howie teased.

“That’s the least I wanted for now,“ Nick muttered and started to gather up his luggage. “We have to go, guys, before any one recognized us again.”



~~~



“How is everyone there?” Alice asked her daughter, Victoria, who has just arrived from Egypt to visit her family on her father’s side. Victoria kissed her mother on the cheeks before answering.

“They are fine, Mom. Grandpa is surprisingly doing well after I arrived there. Arthur will be coming here with Dad soon.” Victoria looked at her parent who once resembled her. But after a car accident, their lives changed as well as her parents’ face. They were in a grave situation and coming with those were the need to undergo a face surgery. Three weeks after that, the two went out of the hospital as completely different person. Victoria was in America at that time, studying in junior high, when she received the news.

Her father at present wasn’t really her true father. Martin was her mother’s boyfriend then, when Alice was already divorced from Victoria’s biological father, and by the time the accident happened. Months after the accident, the two got married and settled down in America to live in peace. Victoria was glad to have a family in America and she treated Martin like her real father because her biological father didn’t want her as a daughter and preferred her twin brother instead of her. On the other hand, Martin treated her as his daughter and adopted her as his own.

Remembering her twin brother, Victoria knew she would never get herself close to Louis although the latter tried as much as he could to get through her at least once a year. Louis grew up with all the riches their father had, while she, Victoria, has been sent to America like an exile, grew up and lived with a family friend. She also had another brother, David, who is two years younger than her and Louis. He also lives with their father and is also trying to get close to her as much as he could. What has happened to her while she was young resulted to her hatred towards her father and his family. She grew up feeling as the unwanted child. Now that she’s back in London for business, no doubt that Louis and David already learned of her arrival and will be visiting her in one of these days.

”I know,” Alice said with a smile. “Martin called me when you left for the airport. He’ll be coming over with Arthur and we’ll be going back to LA.” Her eyes twinkled at the mention of her husband. Victoria is happy for her mom. Their lives may have changed since the accident, but it has brought them peace. A year after they were married, Alice gave birth to Arthur, Victoria’s adoring little brother who will be graduating middle school soon. Since that, Victoria had never seen her Mom so happy unlike before. Alice enjoyed her life more than ever with Martin, Arthur and her, Victoria.

“Have I already told you how glad I am to see you happy, Mom?”

“Many times before, Victoria. And although I missed your brothers here, I’m already contented to the life I have with you, with your Dad and Arthur.”

“Dad is a wonderful man. I’m glad you found each other. I wished I could find someone like him too.” Victoria said as she hugged her mother. Alice returned the warm gesture.

“Your Dad’s a blessing.” Alice kissed the top of her head. “Don’t worry. You’ll find yours, too.”
THREE by scarlett
Author's Notes:
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Nick, AJ and Howie reached London and met a woman. We are introduced to Victoria, a woman who arrived from Egpt to visit London as well.

 

 

“Where do we go from here?” Nick asked with a smile and scratched his head. They decided to take a stroll in Hyde Park. Nick is oblivious to the attention he was getting from some women who might have wondered if he is an actor or what. No matter how much he hides it, he is an attractive man. Anyone who is a member of the female specie might probably take a second glance at him.

“I don’t want to eat. I had enough of that breakfast at the hotel.” AJ laughed.

Nick smiled. “So, how about if we go castle-hopping here. There’s so much of it here in London alone and we can mark it as an activity for day one,” He suggested as they turned to a bench and sat down. “And then we can go to the countryside to explore the local attractions and history.”

“I’ve thought of it. I love these pieces of history. I’ll take note of that.” Howie said, as he takes a look at the brochures in front of him. He sneaked a bunch of it from the hotel’s front desk earlier as they were about to walk out. The woman at the reception could only smile after Howie gave her a wink. They consulted a travel counselor back in the US but only for the plane tickets and hotel accommodations because they decided to tour on their own. And so now, they were wondering where to go. When they usually go to London or anywhere in Europe, the management company or their PR staff was usually the one who takes care of their tour itinerary. This time, they wanted to try something different.

”You know, Nick, you could very well be a travel counselor instead of a Da Vinci wannabe.” AJ remarked as he started his first smoke of the day.

Nick was about to reply when he saw the woman he bumped into at the airport yesterday. She is walking with an older woman with her. Realizing that this is his chance to get to know her, he stood up without saying a word to AJ and Howie and approached the woman. “Hi. You’re the same woman we’ve met at the airport yesterday, aren’t you?” He asked.

The two were surprised by his approach. The older woman smiled at him, while the other one just looked at him. “Yes,” she said softly, as if mesmerized. “Uh, by the way, this is my mother, Alice.” She said with a nervous smile.

Nick shook hands with the woman’s mother then turned back to her. “And may I know your name too, ma’am?”

“Her name’s Victoria,” Alice said. “You looked quite familiar. I think I saw you once in LA, or in the telly. Being a housewife, I just got nothing to do but either watch the telly or cook something in the kitchen. You used to go out with this blonde lady. What’s her name again?” She turned to her daughter. “Your face is familiar though. I think I saw you passed by me once when you visited another young man – tall, broad shoulders, huge eyebrows…”

With that, Nick grinned. “That’s Kevin, one of our friends. He lives there with his wife.” He said, ignoring her first recall. She’s talking about Paris.

“Oh, yes. Kevin Richardson, now I remember. His environment-friendly house inspired us to do the same with ours.” Alice said. “He toured me once when he and his wife had a party. You’re the Backstreet Boys?”

Nick nodded. “If I visit Kevin’s place some time, I hope I’ll be very welcome in your home as well.” He charmingly smiled then turned once again to Victoria. Just then, AJ and Howie came behind Nick. Alice is so enthusiastic to meet them too and introduced herself. Victoria wanted to laugh at her mother’s excitement and to the private life she’s truly enjoying but cannot. Nick’s presence is making her speechless and nervous. Based from her best friend’s devotion to these guys, she became aware on how much media these men can easily attract. She consciously looked around for paparazzi but there’s none. ‘Stop being paranoid, Victoria,’ she silently thought.

“May I invite both of you to a lunch later?” Nick asked the two women after the introductions with AJ and Howie have been made.

“Alright,” Alice said immediately. Victoria just smiled although she already wanted to pull her Mom from there some minutes ago.

“Thank you, Ma’am.” Nick couldn’t help himself and hugged Alice. The elder woman laughed amusingly while Victoria just smiled and shook her head in vulnerable awkwardness and somehow, embarrassment from her Mom’s over-zealous attitude. Nick began telling them about having lunch at the hotel they were staying at. The two women knew about the hotel and they agreed to meet up later. When the two left, Nick was still following Victoria with his look. AJ had to nudge his friend just to get Nick’s attention.

“Do you like her?”

“Absolutely.” Nick replied. “There’s something about her that’s different and intrigues me at the same time.”

AJ tried again. “Will you go on a fling with her?”

Nick immediately shook his head. “There are women whom you’d like to jump in to the bed with, and there are ladies whom you wanted to take home to Mom. Victoria can be the former but she is absolutely a candidate for the latter.” AJ smiled. He’s seeing now the different side of Nick. His brother is now all grown up. He only hoped that he learned a lesson from his relationships in the past, and that will be a good thing.



~~~



“I particularly liked that Nick,” Alice said as she and Victoria are on their way home. Victoria didn’t say anything as her gaze is focused on the places that the car has been passing by. They will just go home to change and will be back to have lunch with the men at the hotel. “That was such a wonderful young man to earn a living in his own way in such a young age. I wished your brothers could do that same thing like he does but they can’t.”

“They grew up spoiled by that family, and will never have to work for the rest of their lives. What a pity.” Victoria said.

“Now, Victoria. I don’t want you feeling that way towards your brothers. Circumstances led us to live like this, and I hope you could accept it as it is and love them. I truly regret to let that thing happened to you before, and I won’t let anything come between us again. As for now, we cannot do anything else. We do not want further complications anymore.” Alice said.

“And that’s why I don’t want to be acquainted with Nick, Mom. He’s a famous guy, he is one-fifth of this very famous singing group where many women loved and adored him and although I think I like him too, I’m allergic to famous people usually being followed by paparazzi.”

“I understand,” Alice replied, recalling the past in which she was also had been an object of media scrutiny as her ex-husband’s wife. But Victoria is different from her. “So, would you like to cancel the lunch with them?”

“I don’t think we don’t have any choice but to go, Mom. What do you think?”

“No.” Alice gave her daughter an assuring smile. “Follow your heart, Victoria. I know you’d like to go. Besides, he’s not even your boyfriend. Consider this as rather just a lunch with one of your college pals.”

FOUR by scarlett
“Who?” Brian asked from the other line. Nick just called him, in the middle of the night, to tell that he met a pretty woman in London. Fortunately, Baylee is already asleep or else, he’d end up wrestling the phone with his son. He rolled his eyes. Nick is always searching for a woman. He only wished that the younger man already learned his lesson from the experiences he had from his ex-girlfriends. He hoped this woman is nothing compared to them. “What’s the name?” Brian asked again. Nick has just finished explaining about some woman and he’s so excited that Brian failed to hear the names of the two women who will be joining him and the other guys later for lunch.

“Victoria and her mother, Alice.” Nick replied. Brian had to laugh at that. There’s no doubt that this new woman is a different one. She’s going out for lunch with Nick but her mother will come along. “Hey, what’s funny?”

“Your Victoria has a chaperone.”

“It doesn’t matter. The mother loves us. She’s actually the excited one, not her daughter. Anyway, I have to make a good impression. I just called to tell you, Brian. You should’ve seen her. She’s so pretty. And she had this cute accent of a mixed American and English.”

“Next thing you’ll tell me is that you’re falling in love with her.”

“No, not yet. It’s still early to say that.”

“I’m glad that you know that.” Brian replied. A few more words were exchanged and Nick finally hung up on his friend. He saw Howie at the lobby and followed him and AJ towards the posh restaurant found inside the hotel. The security at the entrance greeted them as they entered.

“You seemed excited.” Howie noticed. Nick tends to easily falls for a woman. He only hoped that she will last longer than Nick’s past girlfriends. He and the rest of the guys shared the same sentiments when it comes to Nick. Their youngest friend has been through a lot with the family and scheming ex-girlfriends. Since he became famous, other people wanted to take advantage to be associated with him. He saw Nick looked at him and smiled.

“I don’t know why, Howie. I just felt happy.” Nick said, his hands on his heart acting so touched.

“You should be. It’s a good thing you survived that scandal you just had with Anne. In case you didn’t know, we didn’t have enough sleep on those times when you were being called in courts and being of accused of something you wouldn’t dare to do in your entire life.” Howie said.

“It’s in the past now, big brother. I’ll be very careful in choosing girlfriends this time,” Nick winked.

“You should be,” AJ said. They all sat down as the waiter began distributing them menus. Moments later, Victoria and Alice arrived. They began giving out their orders to the waiter as well.

“I’m glad to meet you,” Alice started as soon as the waiter left with their orders.

“Madam, you don’t know how much I felt the same,” AJ said. He actually liked this woman who seemed so vibrant and cheerful. “Victoria somehow had the features of the late Princess Diana.” Alice and Victoria looked at each other then back to them.

“Lots of people have told us that, but I assure you that she is my daughter and she’s prettier than the princess,” Alice laughed. “By the way, what brings you here in London?”

“Well, we’ve been surveying the city for possible places to visit,” AJ replied. He glanced quickly to Nick who suddenly switched into his silent mode. He can be shy when he’s in front of a woman he really likes. Silly guy, AJ thought. Now, he had to work out something to earn a date for Nick. He only hoped Nick can take his hint and do the rest of the work.

“Oh, that’s nice to hear.” Alice said as AJ nodded with a grin. “Why don’t you just go to a travel counselor to take care of it instead?”

AJ shrugged. “Well, we only consulted them to arrange our plane tickets and the hotel. We think that it will be much better to see the sights ourselves. We’ll take an adventure to tour this on our own and meet new people on the way.” He told them. “And if may I inform you, my darling brother, Nick, was a tourist guide in his former lifetime. He’s good with places, except in London that is, although he loves being here so much.”

“Oh, yeah. You see, I love London but I wasn’t able to be more familiar here because of my tight schedule. I love going here because it gives me inspiration for my craft. I love to draw. There are lots of beautiful places here.” Nick said, silently grateful to AJ for giving him a hint with what he’s thinking about. “So, how about a tour from a lovely citizen like you, Miss Victoria?” Howie and AJ exchanged glances after hearing Nick. Smooth one, Nick. Cheesy but smooth, Howie thought amusingly, thanks to AJ.

Victoria smiled. “I’m not a British citizen actually, Nick. I was born here but I grew up in America and legally gained my citizenship there.”

“Alright,” Nick said. “But still, how about a tour tomorrow?”

Victoria looked at everyone in the table. Howie gave her a warm smile. AJ nodded and gave her a thumbs-up, while her mother just smiled as she drinks her glass of water. Nick is biting his lower lip as he waits for her reply. “Damn you, Nick Carter, for putting me on pressure.” Victoria joked. “And yes, it will be fun to tour you around then. Let’s just keep ourselves away from the Buckingham Palace, shall we?” She said. With that, Nick nodded and muttered his thanks.



~~~



“A date. That’s a smooth one from Nick.” Alice said as the two reached home after two hours of luncheon with the boys.

“Oh, please, Mom. AJ did all the tricks to get Nick into saying something.” Victoria chuckled. “But did you see how cute he was, being silent and all? He seemed shy. I found it charming.” They went out of the car and her mother stopped on her tracks towards the main door when she noticed a familiar Range Rover parked on the side. The butler opened the door to greet them but paused when he saw that his mistress was questioningly looking back at him.

“Yes, Madam,” the butler nodded. “They are here.”

“Oh! Louis, David,” without much of a glance to Victoria, Alice hurried off inside the house to see her other children. Victoria followed her mother, walking quietly towards the house. She’s been going through this every time they visit London and her brothers were there to drop by. It was like Victoria wasn’t there for Alice, and all that matters are Louis and David. What has happened before has been hard for every one of them, especially for Alice, who had to choose between her life with her sons and with the daughter that has been taken away from her since birth. All Victoria wanted was a family to know of and when she thought before that her mother was finally hers when they settled with her in America, her brothers still kept on haunting them back from the past. She would suddenly turn invisible every time Louis and David are here, as Alice won’t notice her other child. Victoria, who still felt being the unwanted child, would usually resort into self-pity.

“How are you? Oh, I missed you so much.” Victoria heard her mother said when she reached the main hall.

“So are we, Mum,” She heard Louis replied. Victoria peeked into the Sitting Room. David saw her and smiled. “Vicky! I’m glad you’re here.” David stood up and went to his older sister. No matter how much she is jealous of her brothers and her supposed to be life with them, she fight the urge to show emotions that she too, missed them. After all, they are her kin. They share the same blood. David hugged his sister. “I missed you.”

“Likewise,” was all Victoria could say. She caught the look of her other brother and felt the same thing. She missed her twin too. But jealousy has overcome all her affections towards her brothers whom she actually had never known of, except in papers.
FIVE by scarlett
Author's Notes:
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Nick managed to get a date as well from Victoria through the help of AJ. Meanwhile, Victoria's brothers were waiting when she and her mother got home from lunch with Nick. The feelings of being unwanted, as well as rejection, spurred once again.

 

 

“And those are the Crown Jewels,” Victoria said to Nick as they stood in front of the said royal treasure who were put on public display. As they stood there, the guards standing nearby cast curious glances to Victoria as if they have seen the ghost of some late famous princess.

“That’s cool. How much do you think it was worth?” Nick asked her as he eyed the crown in scrutiny.

“The absolute value on all of those precious stones on the royal collection is way beyond comprehension, Nick. It can also be considered priceless considering that it has been worn and used by kings and queens of England. It’s been a national treasure.” Victoria explained to him. “During medieval times, Crown Jewels were the personal property of the sovereign and it was fairly a common practice to pawn them or use them as security for loans in times of war.”

“You seemed to know a lot about this.” Nick said as they started to walk down the hall.

“Yes, like as if I was destined to wear it someday,” Victoria replied with a smile.

Nick looked at her. “Well, I think it would look good on you. But then if that would have happened, I’ll never get to meet you like this because you have to stick yourself up with those royal engagements and it will be impossible that our destinies will clash.”

Victoria stared at him. “I didn’t know you still believed in destiny, Nick.” They continued walking. Things happen for a reason, she thought. Meeting Nick may have a reason. “But you’re probably right, Nick.” She added.

Nick smiled. “So, where’s the next stop?”

“Kensington Palace,” Victoria replied. Nick takes her hand and they walked together outside the Tower of London. “It was used to be the home of mo-“ She paused and turned to Nick.

“What’s the matter?” Nick, still holding her hand, used his other hand to brush aside her brown hair. “You can use my cap to keep your hair from your face.” He gave her the cap he’s using.

“Thanks. How about you?” She noticed that Nick is starting to attract attention but the other one didn’t mind.

“I don’t care, as long as you’re with me,” Nick gave her a quick kiss on the lips. Victoria smiled at him.

“Thanks again. I’m just a little worried because Kensington Palace used to be Princess Diana’s home and if we go there and saw me, the people there might just freak out. I don’t really see myself looking like her, I just wonder why would other people sometimes see her in me. I just don’t really look like her.” She sighed.

“No, you don’t look like her. Do you still want to go?” Nick watched her look away, deep in her thoughts, and then turned back at him. Something’s bothering her, he thought. “We can go somewhere else if you’re not comfortable with it. Maybe we can just go shopping.”

“Alright. That’s probably better, Nick.”

After their tour, Nick took Victoria to the first social place he’s been to when he first visited London: the Purple Club at Chelsea. “We’ll take a nice time before I’ll take you home,” Nick told Victoria as they entered the private establishment. It’s been famously known as the place where celebrities and the wealthy would usually go. Victoria has been there many times with her friends before but this night, the place seemed different for her. She thought she could feel a romantic ambience filling in to the restaurant. She glanced at Nick.

“I had a good time. Thanks,” Nick added as soon as they settled themselves in a corner table. “I hoped you did too.”

“Of course,” Victoria smiled. She couldn’t help it but be caught in Nick’s charms. No matter how she tried to fight it, she can’t deny that she’s attracted to him. And she never gets bored with him. He always had something to talk about, something to joke about that she enjoyed his companionship.

“Excuse me.”

Victoria’s smile faded when she glanced up and saw who has come to their table. It’s no other than Prince William, heir to the British throne. Victoria didn’t expect him approaching their table. “Hi, I’m William Windsor,” the prince said to Nick as the two shook hands.

“I’m Nick and this is Victoria, my friend,” Nick said in awe. It’s not everyday that he will be approached by a Prince William, especially that he’s been here in London numerous times when on tour with the Backstreet Boys. He saw a look of affection that the prince is giving Victoria and Nick suddenly felt a pang of jealousy when he realized that the prince might be interested in her and as a powerful person, William can use his position to lure any woman he chose to. Nick is just some famous American pop singer and may not stand a chance against the prince of England.

“Oh, yes. I knew her. She’s my friend too,” William said, his eyes still on Victoria.

“We met through a friend who was his classmate in St. Andrews, Heather Morrison,” Victoria filled in. “How are you? It’s been a long time, Wills.”

“Same old stuff going on, Vicky. I’m glad you’re enjoying yourself tonight.” William turned to Nick as Victoria had the urge to drink her glass of water. Her mouth went dry for suddenly being in a tense situation. She couldn’t help it. “Take care of her. She’s almost like a sister to me.” William continued. Both men turned when Victoria almost choke on her water. “Are you alright?” The prince chuckled.

Nick smiled, heaving a sigh of relief when William said the last one. He ran a hand along Victoria’s back as she wipes her mouth. “Anyway, do you want to join us for dinner?” He asked the prince. “Re-acquaint with your old friend.”

William grinned. “I think I’ll pass, Nick. I was about to leave when I saw Victoria. It’s been rare to see her since she lives in the States so I took the opportunity now. I have to go then. Have a nice supper,” William leaned down to kiss Victoria on the cheeks then waved goodbye to Nick.

“It’s been nice meeting you, William.”

“Likewise,” then the prince turned to leave. Nick heard Victoria heaved a sigh of relief and turned to her.

“You looked tense,” he noticed. “Are you alright?”

Victoria just nodded. “I’m fine. I’ve been better.”



~~~



“Victoria…” Nick softly called out when he saw her at the park. They agreed to meet again the next day. He was so excited to see her again that he only had a few hours sleep of just thinking of her.

Victoria smiled and took the hand he extended to her. They walked hand in hand at the park. “How are you?”

“I’m good,” Nick laughed. “Howie and AJ went on their own expedition around London. I excused myself, telling them that I’ll be seeing you again.” They found a nice spot on the grass and sat together. They sat in silence for a while, just savoring the surroundings. It wasn’t even boring. Nick wondered why it was never boring to be with Victoria even if they came to quiet situations like this. The dinner last night was wonderful. They talked a lot about anything and then they would be quiet for a while. Moments later, Nick would crack a joke and they will be talking once again.

“I’m sorry. I must have ruined your vacation time with your friends.” Victoria bit her lower lip.

“Hey, it’s alright. They understand. I don’t want to pass up this chance to spend time with you anyway. I’d like to know you better and be your friend. Is that alright with you?”

“It’s okay.” Victoria smiled. Silence came between them again. “Have you ever wondered what to do when all that snow in the North Pole will melt?” She asked suddenly.

Nick smiled. Her question surprised him but he likes it when women asked him something unusual. It makes their time together different. “Well, obviously there’ll be lots of flood everywhere. I don’t want to think of the negativity of the situation but that can possibly happen especially with the way we pollute the air, right?” Victoria nodded at that. “What I was thinking is basically to help in the way I could.”

“You’ll sing?” She laughed and she let Nick pull her to him to lean against his shoulder.

“Donate from my own pocket to support those who need financial help.” Nick replied. “Or maybe, join some organization’s house project and help build more homes. Or maybe, volunteer myself to help in the United Nations. We all need to unite for the welfare of others. How about you?”

“I’ll do the same.” She looked down at their hands entwined against each other. Nick raised it and kissed it. It just seemed to be right, to be with him at this moment. Although it’s been fast, she actually liked the way things are going between them. She felt very comfortable around Nick and she enjoyed the few times she spent with him.

“Have you ever wondered what does the Aurora Borealis looks like?” Victoria asked again after a few moment of silence.

“Aurora Borealis?” Nick thought for a moment, trying to recall what it is. “Oh, that. Maybe if I can survive to live in the North Pole, I will know what does it looks like.” He tightened his grip on her hand. “Here’s another thing: what will you do if you are the queen of England for a day?” He asked her.

Victoria smiled. “Well, I’ll impose the reduction of housing and land tax, especially for those who are working hard for their families. I will impose a law against paparazzi. And then, I will make a decree that there should be no interference in the war of the US against terrorism. I don’t like war.”

“But you can’t prevent it.” Nick looked at her. “Just like when you can’t prevent yourself from being hungry.”

“You’re hungry? We just got here.” Victoria chuckled.

Nick chuckled too. He showed her a smile she’d seen in her best friend’s posters. “I need to feed my tummy. It’s growling.”

“Haven’t you had breakfast?” Victoria raised an eyebrow. She playfully tapped his stomach. Nick chuckled and turned to tickle her until he got her pinned to the ground. He found her spot and continued on tickling her. Victoria was laughing so hard.

“Stop, Nick.” She continued laughing. “S-stop.” But Nick didn’t. “Oh, God. Stop it.”

“Nobody touches my stomach unless I’m naked.” Nick laughed at his own joke. She turned her face to him and surprised him with a kiss. He stopped tickling her as the sensations of the kiss overwhelmed them both. Victoria wrapped her arms around his neck as their kiss went deeper. “That’s amazing,” Nick said moments after they pulled apart. He’s still on top of her.

Victoria grinned. “That’s my diversion tactic. See, you stopped tickling me.” She winked.

“Oh, yeah. It worked because I liked kissing you better than tickling you…” Nick leaned forward as he captured her mouth for another kiss. “Let’s go out for dinner again, Victoria.”

“Where would you like to take me?”

Nick laughed. “McDonalds.” Victoria laughed too as she reached out to kiss him again.
SIX by scarlett
Author's Notes:
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Nick and Victoria found themselves comfortable around each other after their first date. Nick felt he is beginning to fall for her in just a short time, which seemed really fast for her. But he just couldn't help it..

 

 

Nick sat on the couch next to AJ and Howie who spent their day shopping. “I want to stay,” He announced.

“Is this about Victoria?” Howie asked him as he busied himself stuffing his newly-purchased items on his bag. He obviously bought a lot, probably some things for his girlfriend back home.

Nick nodded. “I’m serious, Howie. I wanted to know her better.” After almost a week of going out together, he felt that their friendship should go further than just an affair in London. He liked Victoria. He wanted her to be his girlfriend and he’s seriously considering the idea. Victoria is beautiful, smart, a good conversationalist and fun to be with.

AJ drew a deep breath. “Listen, Nick. She also lives in LA too. Maybe you can meet her there some time. Besides, you have your job and you can’t be away there for long. The management will be looking for you. We will be having some meeting when we get back to prepare the new album.”

“But I want to stay here, to have a vacation and spent longer time with Victoria.” Nick insisted. His friends exchanged helpless looks at one another. He stood up. “Alright, I’ll give everyone a chance. Since we’ll be leaving in London in two days, I have to make sure about Victoria. If things won’t turn out well between us, then I’ll go home with you.”

“That’s perfectly stupid, Nick.” Howie said. His youngest friend just grinned and went out of the room.

AJ sighed. “He is really a big kid. He always had his way.”

“Oh, I wish he knows what he’s doing and where his responsibilities lie.” Howie shakes his head.



~~~



“I’m leaving for the US in two days, Victoria. I wished we could meet there again,” Nick told her when he came to visit her at home.

“We could arrange that,” Victoria replied with a smile. They kissed once again. A long, passionate kiss which slowly leads to something even more, showing the impending emotions they have inside. They stared at each other, breathing raggedly, and they were about to kiss again when they heard a sound of a car coming in front of the house. “Dad’s here!” Victoria exclaimed excitedly. She pulled Nick up from the couch.

“Your Dad? I didn’t know that your dad is coming.” Nick bit his lower lip. He gets anxious to be introduced to her father but he just let Victoria pull him towards the foyer to greet the newcomers.

“Hey, my pretty one,” Martin greeted his daughter with a kiss on the cheeks. A young lad came out from the car and greeted Victoria too.

“I’m so glad you’re here. By the way, Nick, I want you to meet my Dad, Martin Montague and my brother, Arthur. Dad, this is Nick Carter. Don’t worry, he’s American and he also lives in LA.”

“Are you Victoria’s boyfriend?” Arthur asked Nick.

Victoria gasped at her brother’s sudden question. Nick only smiled but he doesn’t even know what to answer as well. “Go to the kitchen and get something to eat, Arthur.” Victoria said instead.

The two men shook hands as Arthur just grinned and excused himself to enter the house, telling them that he’s hungry. “What do you do?” Martin turned to Nick.

“I’m a singer, sir,” Nick replied. Victoria looked at him with pride. He smiled at her, fighting the urge to kiss her in front of her father. He really likes her. She’s fun to be with and a good conversationalist. If the fans get a hold of any information about her, he hoped that they will like her too. She’s a wonderful woman.

“A famous singer?”

“Uh, yes. I probably am, Sir.” Nick shyly replied. No one asked him a question like that before and he didn’t know how to reply without sounding like he’s boasting. And it’s especially harder when the person asking is the father of a woman he really likes.

“He’s famous, Dad. He’s a member of the Backstreet Boys and they came here usually to perform in the arena.” Victoria filled in. She gripped Nick’s hand tighter.

Martin turned back to Nick. “So, I assume that your life has been pried by media every now and then because of being a singer, huh?” Martin asked. Victoria bit her lower lip with her father’s question. She knew what he’s trying to know from Nick.

“It happens, Sir, but we got used to it. I don’t usually worry about it. Anyway, we owe what we have to them although sometimes, it’s get frustrating when I wished I could have more privacy than I would really like to have.”

“Well,” Martin nodded and turned to Victoria. He gave a look in which his daughter immediately understood. “I have to go inside, Nick. Excuse me. It’s been nice meeting you.” They shook hands once again. As soon as her father had gone inside, Victoria turned to Nick.

“I think this is the time where you should go for now. Let’s meet again tomorrow?”

Nick drew a deep breath. “I was nervous when you introduced me to your dad.” He smiled as he admitted that. He never did that kind of thing before, admitting his weakness. “I hoped I made a good impression. I’m serious, Vicky.”

“He’s a nice man. Don’t worry. If he won’t like you, I still do.” Victoria kissed him. “Tomorrow?”

“How about at Harrods?” Nick asked. Victoria stared at him as if he just spoken a foreign language. “Vicky?”

“Uh, yes. At the entrance at noon.” They gave each other a long kiss. They stared at each other for a while. Nick’s forehead is resting against hers. How did he fall so easily for her? It seemed so fast and yet, he felt as though they’ve already known each other for a long time. With a frustrated sigh, Nick went to his car. Victoria waved goodbye to him before she went into the house.



~~~



Victoria felt her father’s look upon her as soon as she entered the Sitting Room where Martin and Alice were. “I hope you won’t be having a relationship with him other than being friends, Victoria. He is famous and being followed around by media and that’s what I’ve been trying to prevent you from.” Martin started at her.

“I understand, Dad.” Victoria replied and sat down on the nearest sofa.

Martin drew a deep breath as Alice gave her husband reassuring firm hold in the hand. “We’ve been through a lot about this and we don’t want any more complications if the media suddenly turned their attention towards you, or their interest about you and your family. It’s something we’ve been trying to avoid for almost ten years now.”

“I understand, Dad.” Victoria repeated. She bit her lower lip and looked at her parents. Sorry, Nick. She had intentions of speaking up for Nick but her willpower was gone as soon as she saw her father’s serious look.

“Is that all you can say, darling?” Martin asked her.

“Because I know and agreed on what you’re trying to point at, Dad. Mom’s life will be back in danger once they realize that she’s still alive and now lives in a different identity. I don’t want to risk it, Dad.” Maybe she can find another man like Nick, someone who is not famous and cute and funny and smart…She blinked twice when she realized that she’s about to start daydreaming of him. He was like her boyfriend already. They were instantly attracted against each other and she knew she wanted to know him more. But this kind of complication is something she didn’t want to risk and whether she likes it or not, she had to choose this for the sake of her family.

Martin nodded. “Well, no one will know unless someone would tell. And this is a secret we have to keep forever.”



~~~



Nick glanced at his watch. It’s already been ten minutes past noon and Victoria still hasn’t shown up. Where is she? I hope she’s not in danger to cause such delay, Nick thought. Thinking of it sends nervous goose bumps at the back of his neck. He can already feel that he’s being recognized. A lot of women have looked his way and he kept his cap low so that no one would bother him.

“Mr. Nick Carter.”

Nick turned at the mention of his name. He saw Victoria’s butler at home. The older man gave him a note and he immediately read what was written.

‘I’m sorry I’m not going to meet you today, or in LA. I can’t explain it to you. I just have to do this for our sake. Victoria.’

When Nick looked up, the butler is already gone.
SEVEN by scarlett
Author's Notes:
Rated: PG13
Genre: Drama/Romance
DISCLAIMER: This story is purely fan fiction only and none of the events mentioned here have happened or related to what happened in real life. This is only upon the imagination of the author.




FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Nick decided to stay longer in London to be with Victoria but Howie and AJ reminded him of his responsibility to his career. He told Victoria about meeting her in California. He also met her father. After that, Nickand Victoria agreed to meet the next day in Harrods but Victoria didn't show up.

 

 

A year after…

“So, what’s the score between you and Nicole?” Clark asked as he and Nick watched a beach volleyball game going on at the beach. It’s Saturday and the two found time to relax, away from the hazards of office meetings and recording studios. Clark is Nick’s childhood friend and is currently working as a sound engineer in the recording studio where the Backstreet Boys are currently polishing up the final touches on a new album.

Nick laughed at his best friend’s question. “Man, don’t you find it weird if you dated a woman who’s almost has the same name as yours? Besides, I really don’t find Nicole charming enough to catch my attention.”

Clark smiled. “Yeah, it figures. Anyway, I’m just asking.” He looked at his watch. “By the way, my girlfriend’s coming over here to join us. You’ll finally meet her.”

Nick nodded. Clark has been telling him about a wonderful woman he met two months ago and dated ever since. He never met her. “Where did you say the two of you met?”

“At the mall,” Clark replied. Nick glanced at his friend. He suddenly remembered the last time he’s about to meet someone at a mall, on the other side of the world, and didn’t showed up for some reason he doesn’t even know. He couldn’t understand why it happened. He had questions but he didn’t know where to find Victoria. He’s been so mad at her that he immediately flew out of London with the guys the next day without any hesitation. He promised himself that if ever he and Victoria will meet again, it would be like he never met her. He will try to avoid her as much as he can. Yeah, he wished he can really do that.

“Hi, Clark.”

Nick’s heart suddenly beats faster when he heard that familiar voice. He turned to see Victoria kissing Clark on the lips. Speaking of the devil, the woman in his thoughts is coincidentally here. When she looked up, a surprised look crossed her lovely face upon seeing Nick.

“Nick, this is my girlfriend, Victoria.” Clark said, oblivious to what’s about to heat up. Nick stood up and shook hands with Victoria, acting as if they just met. “And Victoria, this is my best friend, Nick.”

“We already met,” Victoria told her boyfriend. “In London last year, actually. But it didn’t last long. I left the city in a short notice by then.”

“Oh, that’s why.” Nick said in a low voice. He picked up his bottle of light beer then turned to Clark. “Hey, man. I don’t want to be rude. But, you know, I remembered I still have to take my dogs to the vet.” He turned to Victoria. “It was nice meeting you again, Victoria.”

Clark nodded. “Yes, man. Take care.”

Nick immediately went off as Victoria watched him leave. He’s still mad, she thought silently. She turned back to her beau, trying to erase Nick from her mind. “What’s the score, babe?”



~~~



Nick drew a deep breath as he heard the couples talking and laughing in the recording studio. He looked up from the Dan Brown book he’s reading and saw his friends with their partners. It wasn’t Valentine’s Day and yet, it seems like everyone is paired up with someone except him. Since last year, he never cared about having a girlfriend. Subconsciously, he only wanted Victoria.

And she is there in front of him, but in the arms of his best friend. Nick looked around. Kristin is there with Kevin. She’s scribbling something on a notebook while her husband is talking about his cat, Quincy. Leighanne is sitting beside Brian and he heard they were talking about getting Baylee an educational plan. Howie just walked out to meet his girlfriend outside. Alex is standing close with his girl friend, who he keeps on insisting that she’s just a friend although everyone thinks that Katie is a very special person to AJ. They were joking around with Clark and Victoria. Nick is the only one left unmatched. He returned to his reading.

“Nick, would you like to come with us?” AJ is suddenly in front of him.

“Where?” Nick glanced at his watch, trying to avoid looking up and see Victoria. The guys, except Clark, felt the awkwardness in the situation between him and Victoria and preferred to act that nothing’s wrong.

“Lunch,” AJ replied. Everyone was already on their way out except Kevin and Kristin who were still talking about Quincy as if the cat is a human being. The guys must have already planned about going lunch together. Nick saw Clark leaving Victoria for a while to go to one of the offices.

“You go along. I won’t come with you.” He told AJ as he looked at Victoria. AJ noticed that.

“Please, Nick. She’s Clark’s girlfriend now.” He told his friend in a low voice.

Nick saw Victoria turned his way and met his look. “Excuse me,” he said and closed his book. He stood up and went out of the studio. AJ followed him outside and watched him get inside his car.

Kevin saw the exchange and followed the two. “What’s wrong with that one?”

“Victoria.”

“What?” Kevin whispered and shakes his head.

“Ironic, isn’t it? He liked her a lot, more than he did among the others. Just imagine how he feels now seeing her with his best friend.”

“Did Clark know?”

AJ shrugged. “Probably not. This is crazy. I don’t want to think that a woman can go between his friendship with Clark.”

“Let’s not hope for things to come to worst.”
EIGHT by scarlett
Author's Notes:
Rated: PG13
Genre: Drama/Romance
DISCLAIMER: This story is purely fan fiction only and none of the events mentioned here have happened or related to what happened in real life. This is only upon the imagination of the author.


FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Nick met his best friend Clark's girlfriend and was surprised to learn that it is Victoria. It's hard for him to see her with his very close friend but he knew that hecouldn't anything about it, particularly to destroy his friendship with Clark.

 

 

“What?” Nick sighed heavily and looked at Clark. “Why, again, are you going to Barcelona?”

“Because I have to attend a convention there. What’s the matter with you, Nick? You seemed preoccupied.” Clark gave him a can of beer then settled himself near his friend. The two were in Nick’s living room. Nick is currently busy on his laptop, drafting some art sketch for his graphic presentation for Howie’s birthday. He just discovered some amazing media software from one of the sound engineers in the studio and they installed it on his laptop during his free time. He then decided to make a video montage for Howie.

“I’m getting this done, Clark. I’m sorry.” Nick saved his template then folded his laptop. He turned to Clark. “So, you’re going to Barcelona and you’re asking me to baby sit your girlfriend? That’s crazy, Clark. What do you want me to do? Cuddle her to sleep?” Nick laughed and drinks his beer. Clark grinned.

“Not exactly, Nick. I don’t want to leave her now but I still have to do my job. I think there’s something that’s bothering her lately. I don’t know. She won’t even tell me.” Clark looked at his friend. “Since you’ve met her before, I trust that you can look after her and see if she needed something.”

Nick didn’t reply. Clark can be odd sometimes. He’s the only man he knew that asked another man to look after his girlfriend. He couldn’t tell Clark that he was in love with his girlfriend. It just wouldn’t seem right to do it. “Maybe just PMS. My sisters were something like that when they were here to visit me. It’s just a phase at the time of their month.” He chuckled.

Clark shook his head. “No, I’m serious, man. I want you to watch over her for the meantime.”

“Sure thing, Clark.” His friend looked at him seriously. “Alright, I’m serious, man. I’m going to look after her.”

“Thanks, Nick. You know that I can really trust you.” Clark even gave his friend a pat on the back. Nick just drew a deep breath and drinks his beer. A tough week lies ahead, he thought.



~~~



“What?”

Clark sighed. “I’m going to Barcelona,” he said, missing out the part that he asked Nick to look after her. “It’s my job.”

“I haven’t seen you much, Clark. I just came from Egypt and now you’re leaving for Spain.” Victoria sits beside him.

“Well, you know how important my job is. Besides, you have your job too. We’re both busy.” He cuddled her closer to him. “I’m sorry, babe. I’ll go on vacation once Nick and his group released their album. I’ll promise you that. The preparation is the most crucial since we need to polish everything. I hope you understand.” He kissed her forehead.

Victoria only nodded. “Clark?”

“Yeah?”

“How long have you been friends with Nick?”

Clark smiled. “Since I was young, I’ve been his good friend. When he became a part of that group, he never forgot me. He took me on the road one time and that’s where I realized the career I wanted, to be in this industry like him. I made friends with the sound crew and learned the basics. When I get back to Florida, Nick called and offered me his house in California where I could stay and study. Not everyone knows about that, on how helpful and kind Nick is to his friends.” Victoria can see how Clark deeply cared for his best friend. She can also see how proud he is of Nick. “Right now, all I wished is for him to be happy. He deserved that. I’ve seen the things he’d gone through with his family and relationships. He’s been prejudiced most of the time and no one has the right to do that.”
NINE by scarlett
Author's Notes:
DISCLAIMER: This story is purely fan fiction only and none of the events mentioned here have happened or related to what happened in real life. This is only upon the imagination of the author.

FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER:
Clark is going to barcelona as part of his job and entrusted Victoria to Nick, worried that something is bothering his girlfriend.

 

 

“I want ice cream.” Nick announced as he and his brother, Aaron, were cruising the boulevard after they went together for a body massage. Aaron groaned as Nick turns into the parking lot of the mall. Tyrone, his bodyguard sitting beside him, only chuckled. Marc and Lauren, the other bodyguards, are sitting with Aaron at the backseat.

“Ice cream again! Every time we go out, you’re always treating us to ice cream!” Aaron complained. “And then when we get home, you always rush to the bathroom because you need to let it out.” Nick is lactose intolerant, as what he wanted to believe that he is. He didn’t even have time to double check it with the doctor.

Nick laughed. “So what do you want instead?”

“I want to have a decent lunch.” Aaron replied.

“Okay, but I also want ice cream and pizza,” Nick compromised. He surrendered with a sigh. All of them went out of the car. As Nick started walking with his brother, he caught sight of a familiar brunette walking with a tall man donned with a red cap. He kept an eye on the couple as they made their way towards an SUV. The woman turned to the man and Nick recognized Victoria, and noticed that it was Prince William as the man she’s with. He frowned. How could Victoria do this to Clark? Nick turned to Tyrone and motioned him to get a move on with Aaron, who already walked ahead of them. He turned to the other way as he walked towards the two. Marc and Lauren closely followed him behind.

“Is this what you’re doing when Clark is not around? This is probably the reason why he asked me to look after you more often while he’s gone.” Nick said which surprised the two. William pulled Victoria behind him, and donned his cap a little higher to see Nick.

“Sorry, mate, but you got it wrong. You won’t understand. We’re not lovers or anything.” William patiently told Nick.

“Well, how could you explain that?” He turned to Victoria. “My best friend trusted you, I trusted you but it seems like you have the odd way of keeping our trust and even chose to be with this man. Is he the reason why you stood me up in Harrods last year? Just because he is a prince, that doesn’t mean that I can’t be anything better.”

William frowned. “What do you mean by that?”

“Stop it, Wills. He doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Just let him be,” Victoria stopped the prince before William can do anything more. Five men in suits approached them but Nick didn’t even show a bit of fear. He just looked at them then turned back to the other two. Nick’s own bodyguards stood closer and prepared for anything to happen. William told his bodyguards to stay back and assured no harm will happen.

“What is there that Clark and I didn’t know anything about?” Nick asked Victoria. The two looked at each other then to him.

“It’s rather complicated, Nick. But trust us that it’s nothing that will betray Clark.” William replied.

Nick frowned. “Are you and Victoria secretly going out?”

“No!” Both answered him at the same time. Nick raised both of his hands in surrender.

“I have a girlfriend back home.” William added.

“Alright, I give up. I think you just have to prepare to explain yourself to Clark, Victoria.” With a last shook on the head, Nick turned around and walked away. Victoria sighed in frustration and walked inside the SUV, followed by William.

“I just can’t tell him, you know.” Victoria said to William before the door has been closed by one of the bodyguards.



~~~~



“Hello, Vocks?” Nick said on the other line. As he made his way inside the mall to catch up with Tyrone and Aaron who stood there waiting for him, he immediately made a phone call to their trusted friend, Voltaire Kenova, who’s mostly known as Vocks to them. He’s been their former chief security as well as a former US Secret Service Agent in Vietnam together with Kevin and Brian’s granduncle. The Boys put their trust in Vocks most especially in dealing with private matters that needs background investigation. Now, Nick needs the help of their friend again.

“Nick, what about?”

Nick smiled shyly. “Well, sir, I am about to ask you something but it’s kind of different.”

“Everything’s different in this world, Nick, and that’s what makes us wonder about it. So, what’s your problem, kid?”

“I need you to investigate Victoria Frances-Montague.”
TEN by scarlett
Author's Notes:
DISCLAIMER: This story is purely fan fiction only and none of the events mentioned here have happened or related to what happened in real life. This is only upon the imagination of the author.


FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER:
Nick saw Victoria and Prince William at a parking lot of a mall. He began to suspect a relationship between them and he went curious about Victoria's secret (oh, VS! haha) so he called someone to take a background investigation on her.

 

 

Nick entered the studio and found Kevin. No one has arrived yet and he smiled to himself for being early. Later, he’ll give himself a pat on the back when he sees AJ’s reaction for coming earlier than him. They’re going to meet up for the final decision on which songs should be put on the album, as well as a meeting with the PR staff for the promotions. As he entered, Kevin looked up from the newspaper he’s reading and smiled at him. “What’s up, Nick?”

Nick shrugs. “Nothing. I’m cool.”

Kevin eyed him curiously. Nick feigned himself to be busy with his mobile phone. Kevin knew him better than anyone could. He played the role of a big brother to him very seriously. He was the one who’s there with him when Paris broke up and made a controversy on him years ago. He was always there when he had problems with his family. Since they lived in LA and Kevin is just a few minutes’ drive away, it’s much easier to have him around and Nick was grateful to have a friend like him. ”Kristin told me to bring this for you.” Kevin took something from his pocket and gave it to Nick. It was a flash disk. “What’s in it?”

Nick sat on the sofa with Kevin, bracing himself for a confrontation with the older man. Kevin takes no preamble regarding confrontations and he wanted it direct and straight. “Some pictures she had of us that she saved in your laptop. I’m just doing some little project.”

Kevin only nodded but the newspaper in hand has been forgotten. “How are you doing now, bro?” He asked again.

Nick shrugs again. Silence was deafening. The other three guys and the recording staff weren’t there yet. He could feel Kevin’s curious look on him. He bit his lower lip and sighed. “Alright, I give up. I had Victoria investigated by Vocks.” The man beside him is well aware of who Victoria is in his life. Brian made sure that his cousin knew about what happened in London last year.

Kevin raised an eyebrow but didn’t say anything. Nick knew how it tortures him to receive a reaction like that from Kevin. But since he already started it, he might as well fill his elder brother with all the details. “When I met her last year, I knew that something’s going on in her and that I just can’t put a name on it. And then I saw her yesterday with someone at the mall’s parking lot.” He drew another deep breath as Kevin quietly listened on. “I saw her with another man and not just any other man, but Prince William of England himself. I don’t know what’s going on and decided to call them and let them know that I saw them. It doesn’t only hurt me; I know my best friend will be hurt once he learns about it too. And that’s when I decided to do something. I took Vocks’ services to investigate on the relationship going on between Victoria and Prince William.”

There was silence in the room after Nick was finished with his monologue. He waited for Kevin to say something about it. “You shouldn’t have interfered with your friend’s love life. Things will just be more complicated if Clark learns that you made an investigation on Victoria. And it’s none of your business if Victoria is seeing Prince William for whatever reason. It will be Clark’s problem.”

“Clark will not learn about it. And I care, because I’m his best friend. His girlfriend is probably fooling around with royalty.”

Kevin shakes his head. “Leave it Nick. You’re not doing this for Clark. You’re only doing this for yourself.” They grew silent for a while before Kevin speaks up once again. “So, the reason why you’re telling me this now is just to inform me?”

Nick shrugs for the third time. “I just feel that you might have to know. Besides,” Nick bit his lower lip, looked down to the carpeted floor of the studio then back to Kevin, “Being my big brother, I valued your thoughts so much.”

Kevin sighed. “What about Victoria then? Did it ever occur to you that she’ll be mad as well when she learned what you’ve done? Investigating a person isn’t just something you’d do everyday when you feel like you wanted to know someone better. You’ve got to be more responsible than that, Nick.”

“But that secret has made her turn away from me a year ago.” Nick replied instantly.

Kevin shakes his head. “But still, Nick…” He sighed. “You just can’t do anything about the past anymore. You just can’t do that…”

Nick drew a deep breath. “When we went to London for vacation, I met her at the airport and while I was there, we kind of going out then.” He met his friend’s look. “We were supposed to meet in Harrods when their house butler came and gave me a note coming from her. It says that she couldn’t see me anymore and she couldn’t tell about it. It made me feel like an idiot. I wanted to see her but she just disappeared. When things are starting to go back into place after that controversy with Paris and Anne, after I felt myself trusting a woman again, I was dumped and ditched.”

“You should accept the way that has happened, Nick. You may not be meant together after all.”

“I can’t. I already liked her. In fact, I must have already loved her in just that short time being with her. It was like…” Nick’s voice trailed off as he imagined Victoria’s face when they were holding each other’s hands in the Purple Club. “…magic.”



~~~



Nick opened the door and saw Victoria. “What are you doing here?”

“This is Clark’s apartment. I –“

“You know that he’s in Spain.” Nick interrupted. He opened the door wider and lets her inside. He went back to sit on the couch. He finished sorting Clark’s DVDs and put it in a small paper bag. He couldn’t stay longer in his friend’s apartment now that Victoria is here.

“Nick, this is hard for me.” He heard her say. “Can we, at least, be friends?”

Nick looked at her. He missed her so much. He had this urge to took her in his arms and kiss her endlessly. But he will not do that. “You know that I want to be more than just your friend,” he told her. He stood up.

“Things are different now, Nick. And I just can’t be with you.”

“Why?” Nick stared at her. “Why?”

Victoria only shakes her head.

“It’s unfair. You’re with Clark but you can’t be with me. It’s unfair that you won’t tell me the reason. I just can’t stand to be here any longer. All I can ask now is for you to take care of Clark. Goodbye.” He went to the door and went out.
ELEVEN by scarlett
Author's Notes:
DISCLAIMER: This story is purely fan fiction only and none of the events mentioned here have happened or related to what happened in real life. This is only upon the imagination of the author.


FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER:
Nick hired someone to make a background check on Victoria. He told Kevin about it and the older man tried to get the sense out of him but Nick has decided to pursue with it.

 

 

Nick drew a deep breath as Vocks and Kevin slowly spread out to him the facts they have gathered upon investigation on Victoria’s secret. There’s no turning back now. Kevin advised him not to continue with the investigation but he still pursued with it. The older man just shrugged it off but Nick knew that Kevin will never walk out on him. And now, the older man even offered his own home where Vocks can report what he found out in his investigation.

Nick’s attention turned to a picture of a woman’s almost lifeless body in a car crash and recognized it as the late Princess Diana. He took it and looked at it with intense disbelief. “Does this have something to do with her being Princess Diana’s look-alike?” He asked the two.

“That was Princess Diana in Paris,” Vocks said, instead of replying at him. “But now known as Alice Montague.” He picked up the picture to look at it. “Or rather, the princess’ look-alike, the one who was actually in the car instead of Diana.”

“How did that happened?” Nick looked at him.

“Well,” Vocks started, “this is really a very complicated matter and lots of people mysteriously died just for the cover-up. Victoria Frances is actually Prince William’s twin sister and should have the name Her Royal Highness Princess Victoria Elizabeth Mary Anne Windsor-Mountbatten of England and Alice and Martin Montague was Princess Diana and Dodi Fayed in the car crash at Paris in 1997. They didn’t die on that fatal accident. It was all just a cover-up to retire themselves from the pressures of the limelight and being famously known.”

There was silence in the study as Vocks slowly revealed the result of his investigation. There was weariness in his eyes but one could see his passion and dedication to the field he’d chosen to. He was never married, granted that he’s been a very dedicated and likeable person. He told everyone that his first love and soul mate is the Secret Service although Nick and AJ once speculated that he couldn’t get over a loved-one who died of murder that’s why he decided to lead his life that way, solving crimes and investigating anything for other people. He has no plans of getting a normal life and a family of his own.

“The driver, Henri Paul, of whom they pointed out to be the verdict of the lovers’ death, was used as the scapegoat for the cover-up. He’s drunk on the night of the accident. He really died along with the two people at the backseat but that’s not the Princess and her boyfriend. Those were just their look-alikes. They wanted to make everyone believe it was them, including Prince Charles of whom, at that time, was also attempting to kill his former wife. There were other plans on how to make Dodi and Diana disappears from the limelight but fate had its own plans.” Vocks said. The three looked at the pictures he collected as he continued. “The accident happened and all the passengers in the car died. And although later they found out that Henri Paul was an intelligence agent of the Secret Service, he was a victim of a crime on which the villain was actually another paparazzo, James Anderson. Being the talkative one, he put Henri Paul into danger as well as some other agents that were part of the crime. Anderson was part of the cover-up plan, a boastful one for the part that he did, that’s why three years after the accident, somebody decided to silence him to death.”

“How did you found out all of this?” Nick asked, amazed by his smartness and resourcefulness in just a span of more than a week. He received a thick folder on the report of the entire investigation in reply.

“I had my sources who have been involved in the cover-up plan and currently in hiding to protect their own lives. Upon learning this, I become aware of the information I had and the chances that come with it. Likewise, I advise you to be careful too. This isn’t any other normal information. This is an international concern if ever the truth leaks out.” Vocks looked at the two. “We’re lucky that I got a hold on this kind of information. My resources were very efficient. They trusted me so much and I convinced them into getting the truth once I learned who really is Victoria.”

“Why’s Victoria been denied of her royal rights?” Nick still couldn’t believe that Victoria is somehow part of a country’s history.

“Because it would cause a big scandal that Prince Charles exiled his own eldest daughter in favor of the younger twin and decided to put her in the US. It will also pose as a big problem for the English monarchy to have twins as heirs to the throne. Remember the legend of Louis XIV of France?” Kevin said. “The marriage between Charles and Diana has been a mistake since the beginning and the birth of the twins has just been added in the already-ugly picture. Charles couldn’t accept that the destiny of his country will lie into having twin heirs for it will surely create conflict someday. So, he had to decide which of the twins should remain. He favored a male heir rather than the female one so he moved the girl out of the country and never cared or seen her again.” Kevin turned to Vocks who only nodded.

“It’s been difficult for the young Victoria,” Vocks added, “and to be felt so unwanted. She despised her own real father, hated her brothers and the rest of the royal family for the destiny she’s been deprived of. She never experienced having a real family until her mother fell in love with the Egyptian multi-billionaire, Dodi Fayed, and decided to retire from her old life and start anew. It was hard for a woman who got used to doing something for the welfare of the others but just like any person, she’s a human being too. She fell in love and she desired a peaceful life. Victoria was among her plans in starting a new life again, and she chose it here in the US.”

“Did Prince Charles know that his ex-wife is still alive?” Nick shakes his head. He couldn’t imagine his own siblings, Aaron and Angel, be separated at birth. It must be really hard for Victoria.

“No,” was the reply. Nick unconsciously bites his fingernails as he listen. “And he should not know because he is among those people who wanted Diana dead.” Vocks added. He took a picture of Alice together with two familiar men, Princes William and Harry, on some place with a fireplace on their background. “But the princes knew that their mother is still alive. Diana contacted them three months after her ‘death’ and they secretly seeing each other and Victoria whenever they can. This picture was just taken recently in Dodi’s New York home. They try to be very careful on this one. It’s not a problem since these people got enough money to pay people in keeping secrets.”

“A few weeks ago, I saw Victoria and William together at the mall. Did he usually do this just to see them?” Nick asked Vocks.

“Well, one of the reasons why the prince comes to visit his twin is because he’s trying hard to reconcile and to make up for those times they’re not been together because of Victoria being denied of her birthright. It’s dangerous but William is willing to take the risk, anything for his twin sister.” Kevin answered Nick. “Victoria, as Vocks told earlier, hated the family who disowned her but fortunately, she actually didn’t have any plans on fighting for her right to the throne. She didn’t want endangering her own life and her mother’s. Aside from that, they tried to avoid media as much as they could because it would just mean exposing themselves and attracting interests on their private lives.”

Nick sighed and stood up from his chair. Everything he just learned seemed too unbelievable to be true but it happened, the facts are at hand. He couldn’t ignore it. “And your being a famous singer is a reason enough why Victoria stood you up at Harrods last year.” He heard Kevin told him. “You attracted media without any effort, Nick. You already made a name for yourself since you were young up to now, appearing in print ads, acting roles on TV and a background in singing. She’s trying to protect you. She couldn’t tell you the real reason. You may not understand.”

“And this is the reason that she’s trying to avoid telling me,” Nick concluded. “Actually, I understand.” Everyone is now looking at him. “Now that we learned about Victoria, I wish we could pretend that we know nothing about this,” he turned to the pictures, “and seen this. Bury the hatchet, go on with our lives.” He turned to Vocks. “I appreciated your effort so much in investigating this matter and you deserved a retirement pay for that, Sir. This may endanger your life, but trust me that you can count on me.”

“There are so many times I already encountered Death and I’m not afraid of it. If I die, I’ll be happy. I’ll be able to reunite with my Adriana again.” Vocks told him. “You should be the one telling yourself to be careful. This is a very serious matter. There are people in the underworld who are more than willing to kill anyone exposing the secrets of history. Once they learn that a stranger got information about the biggest cover-up of the century, no one can stop them from silencing you. Victoria’s family was of great influence and you should be very careful. It’s not going to be easy to get through her. You should go through her adopted father first.”

Kevin drew a deep breath as he looked at Nick. “If you really love her, this is going to be one real test that you have to get through.”
TWELVE by scarlett
Author's Notes:
DISCLAIMER: This story is purely fan fiction only and none of the events mentioned here have happened or related to what happened in real life. This is only upon the imagination of the author.

FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Nick was overwhelmed to learn that Victoria is a secret sibling to the Prince of England and that Princess Diana is still alive and is now hiding in a different identity. The knowledge gives him the responsibility to keep it from others and it will also endanger his life. What happens if Victoria learns that he knows her deep secret?

 

 

The car stopped in front of the large house, only a few meters away from Kevin’s home in LA. Nick grabbed the dolphin doll beside him then went out. He had two bodyguards with him. Kevin and Vocks strictly told him to never leave without his bodyguards after learning the secret of Victoria’s identity. Kevin also went to look for an additional security for him. Marc stayed at the car while the other one, Lauren, followed Nick outside but remained on the porch as a maid greeted him on the front door.

His presence has already been informed once they got through the guards at the gates of Victoria’s family estate. The maid ushered him to one of the receiving rooms in which she told him was called as the Sitting Room. True enough, the room he’s been ushered to is full of beautiful soft couches and throw pillows neatly arranged on them.

“Miss Victoria will be with you shortly, Sir. Excuse me.”

Nick nodded and is now been left alone in the room. But not long enough because Victoria came in minutes after the maid has left. “Hi,” she quietly greeted him. “What are you doing here? You bid goodbye from the last time we met.”

Nick just nodded and gave her the stuffed toy. “Clark asked me to give this. And he’s coming home soon.”

“Thanks.” Victoria took the toy from him. “You see, you really don’t have to do this babysitting thing for Clark,” she said.

“I know because I know exactly the reason what’s going on with you which puzzles and worries my friend. It’s not William, but it’s me.”

“Really?” Victoria raised an eyebrow and showed him a crooked smile. “How conceited of you, Nick.” She then, towards the door. “You may now leave.” Nick followed her.

“I believe it’s me that’s bothering you. All I want is to ease your worries. I don’t want to give you a hard time.” Nick said. He kneeled down in front of her, which surprised Victoria. She tried to tell him to stand up but he didn’t move a bit. “I no longer care why you stood me up at Harrods and didn’t tell the reason why you didn’t want to see me anymore. Because I know your secret. And it makes me think that probably, you’re not just really like your real Dad after all.” He looked up to her. “Please forgive me if I did that. And I think that you’re a princess who wouldn’t just like to play with people’s feelings. You’re a kind person. I think maybe you could have told me that and I would understand and we shouldn’t have been in this situation. But it must be fate that things should happen this way. I understand it now. Although it hurts to see you with my best friend, all I can do is to accept the fact that all were just in the past. I realized now that you were just trying to protect me. Let me protect you in my own way, too. I want to be with you.”

Victoria tried to move away from him but Nick gripped her hand tighter. “How could you investigate on me? How dare you? Have you ever thought that I’m going to sue you?” She asked. They looked at each other for a long time before Nick stood up before her.

“Can you sue me?” Nick asked her. Victoria cannot reply on that. They both knew the answer. She cannot do that. It will be too risky and unsafe. “Don’t worry. I can protect your secret. No one’s gonna know.”

“Your life is in real danger now.” Victoria couldn’t deny the truth. She became aware that Nick is closer now than he’s not supposed to be.

“Anything for you.” Nick leaned down and kissed her fully on the lips. It only meant as a goodbye kiss but it went longer than he expected. Once their lips touched, the feelings were back. It took a while before Victoria responded as her arms went around his neck. Oh, how can she resist this man who gets through her heart without much effort? He penetrated her soul, her being and still, she wanted more. He never knew the power he had over her heart that not even Clark can do. They stopped the kiss and Nick leaned his forehead against hers, staring down to her face. “I still love you.”

Tears fell from Victoria’s face as she closed her eyes and slowly shakes her head. “This is hard, Nick. This is not right.”

Nick embraced her closer to his body. “I know, Vicky.” Their lips met once again. The kiss deepened as they felt each other’s hand trying to pull each other’s clothing off. Victoria moaned as Nick’s kisses went to her neck and his hands roamed over her body.

Her right mind wanted to say no because of Clark but her heart is reaching out for Nick. She went on for the latter.

As they shared a moment of passion together, only the thick walls of the Sitting Room are the silent witness as they made uncontrollable heated moans and groans. They shared a passionate moment together – and as one.



~~~



“What’s wrong?” Kevin asked Nick, and then ate his food. The two were out for lunch together with Kristin, who just got through a video taping in a nearby studio. Kevin noticed his friend’s silence all throughout the day, which is unusual for a lively person like Nick.

In response, Nick grunted and just shook his head then continued eating. He couldn’t look at his brother. Five days ago, he touched his best friend’s girlfriend – something he never imagined he will do but he did. He shared a special moment with Victoria and never regretted it. But he felt guilty. He wondered how he can face Clark after what he’s done. He saw Kristin went back with peanut butter biscuits for her husband. “Thanks, honey. You’re the best,” Kevin kissed his wife lightly on the lips.

“And you’re the man,” Kristin replied with a soft chuckle. Nick ignored the two. He’ll just feel envy over them again. Kevin’s wife noticed the younger man’s slightly unusual mood. “Oh! I didn’t notice you, Nick. How’s my favorite Backstreet Boy?”

“I’m fine, Kris.” Nick can only say.

“Good, because I asked somebody to open the TV because I want to catch a glimpse of Prince William’s wedding,” Kristin said. Kevin shrugged when Nick gave him a look. He didn’t tell his wife knowing the circumstances of the information they had. He doesn’t want to put his wife into danger.

Nick looked up towards the TV and without much concern, turned back to his food. Kevin and Kristin looked at each other. “She shouldn’t have been there. The royal family won’t recognize her anyway,” he muttered.

“Who?” Kristin asked, overhearing what he said. She turned in question to her husband.

Kevin shrugged. “Nick’s just talking to himself a lot lately, honey. Don’t mind him.” He smirked, trying to hide the truth from her. He kicked Nick under the table. Damn kid for acting like this in front of his unsuspecting wife. Kristin can instantly sense what’s wrong.

Kristin glared at Kevin. “You’re making fun of Nick again, honey. Nick,” she turned to the younger man, “is there anything wrong?”

Nick drew a deep breath and looked at the TV. The wedding has just finished and Prince William and his wife are now leaving St. Paul’s Cathedral. Technically, Victoria should share the title as Princess of Wales with William. But now, William’s wife had it. He pity England for not knowing about one wonderful woman who has more right to be the future monarch. “No, I’m fine, Kristin.” He heard the anchor on TV announcing about the title of William’s new bride. It’s unfair.

But maybe, it’s been a blessing in disguise because he happened to meet her. Nick sighed as he pushed his plate away and drank his juice. “Nothing’s wrong, Kristin. I was just thinking about Victoria. It’s hard, you know. I love my best friend’s girlfriend and I can’t do something about it because she already belonged to somebody else.”

“She probably has a reason to lie to you before, Nick,” Kristin reminded him. “And whatever it is that she doesn’t want to tell you, I think it’s not just worth it to spend your time sulking over what you should have done to make her stay with you. Think about it. Maybe she’s not worth it. You deserved better who will not leave you hanging in the air. You’re still young. You’re cute.”

“It’s very frustrating. Excuse me,” Nick stood up. The two just shook their heads as he left the table.
THIRTEEN by scarlett
Author's Notes:
DISCLAIMER: This story is purely fan fiction only and none of the events mentioned here have happened or related to what happened in real life. This is only upon the imagination of the author.


FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER:
Nick found out the truth about Victoria's person and he had this urge to protect her although he needs the protection more. He went to visit her on her family's estate and that's when something they happened that they couldn't prevent themselves from doing from.

 

 

“You love the ocean so much,” Brian said.

Nick looked up and saw his friend approaching the small pier to where his speedboat is docked. The house he bought in LA is situated near the sea. It is a perfect getaway whenever he wanted to be alone.

“What brings you here?” Nick asked Brian instead. His friend went into the boat where Brian saw him adding on gasoline. It is weekend, and Nick tried to do something to ease his thoughts of Victoria away from his mind.

“Going here is a journey enough for me,” Brian started. He lives in Georgia with his family. “But I came here to see how you are doing. I haven’t seen you at the headlines lately.” he added with a joke.

“Let them look for me,” Nick muttered. He started the engine. “Hold on,” he warned Brian. The motorboat started running and Nick maneuvered it through the calm waters towards the open sea. There was silence in the boat as the two quietly marveled the sights they’re passing by.

“By the way, Clark and Victoria just got home from London. I met him at the studio earlier when I picked up the copy of my demo CD. He’s looking for you, too, but you turned off your phone.” When Nick didn’t say anything, Brian drew a deep breath. He watched as Nick looked up in the sky with a sigh. Brian knew he just hit Nick’s soft spot.

“Where’s Clark?” Nick quietly asked instead.

“I don’t know, probably doing some mixes in the studio. He wanted to see you so maybe, he’ll be on his way here, too.”

Nick looked at Brian and smiled. He reached for his mobile phone, turned it on and called his best friend. “Hey, Clark. Where are you, man?”



~~~



“There’s something wrong in the picture,” Leighanne muttered quietly and her husband didn’t fail to hear it. Brian gave her a questioning look. They are at Howie’s house blessing in his new home in LA. They flew all the way from Georgia just to attend his house party, arriving two days ago, with Brian who went to visit Nick to see how he is doing. After the party, Brian and the rest of the guys will finalize their new album. In two months, they will start with the promotions.

“What picture, sweetheart?”

Leighanne drew a deep breath. “Clark came along with his girlfriend, Victoria. The two were holding hands ever since they arrived but the lady kept on glancing at our boy, Nick. Likewise, Nick kept on sneaking glances at her, too. What’s going on?”

Brian shook his head. “Let me say, Barry Manilow dedicated the song ‘Somewhere down the Road’ to that two.”

“Having the right love at the wrong time?” Leighanne asked. Brian didn’t reply and silently watched his youngest friend who was busy talking with AJ and his new girlfriend. While talking, his head simply wandered towards where Victoria is. Just in time, Victoria is in his line of sight, coming towards his way and carrying one of Howie’s nephews. Victoria just smiled then continued on her way.

“That’s weird. The girlfriend must’ve liked her boyfriend’s best friend.”

“Yeah, it shows. I wonder how much Nick would do for that woman, sweetheart.” Brian said, holding his wife’s hand. He could feel that Nick was having dilemma with his love life when he visited his friend. He saw how love had struck his friend straight to the heart and Nick couldn’t even do anything about it. He is very considerate of Clark’s feelings.

“I wonder…” Leighanne shakes her head.

“Dad, can I swim?” Baylee came suddenly and asked his father. Brian chuckled as he looked down at his son. Leighanne just nodded as Brian stood up and took care of Baylee. Nick came just in time that his friend left his wife.

“Hi, Leigh.”

“Oh, Nick. Hello. How is it going?” Leighanne kissed him on the cheeks. Among the boys, with the exception of Brian, Nick is closest to her. He’s the first one who accepted her when she started going out with Brian back then.

“I’m fine, Leigh.”

“I didn’t see you with any woman lately. I hoped you already made a careful turnaround after that controversy with that actress,” Leighanne said. Nick didn’t reply and just watched the children played nearby. “And that also means keeping your hands off from your best friend’s girlfriend.”

Nick silently groaned. “I didn’t – “

“I saw you,” Leighanne interrupted him. “I saw that stealing glances you’ve been doing lately. Clark is a good friend. I don’t want to see things to end so bad just because of one woman.”

“Trust me. That would never happen.” Nick assured her. “If that would also mean breaking my heart seeing her with another man.” He couldn’t tell Brian and Leighanne the truth about Victoria. A number of people knew enough and he didn’t want to further endanger his friends’ lives by telling them about Victoria. The investigation was a risk enough. He didn’t regret the decision of trying to know it. After that, he’s become more concerned of Victoria’s safety.

“You seemed to love her very much.” Leighanne remarked, holding her friend’s hand. Nick sighed. With that, he transferred his gaze to the princess who’s laughing with gaiety to something that Clark and AJ have been talking about.



~~~



Nick joined his friend at the porch of Howie’s gazebo. The place is so nice and he is looking forward to coming here more often. He brought along two cans of soda for him and his best friend, the only drink allowed in Howie’s party aside from fruit punch because Howie’s nephews and nieces are around. Together, they watched everyone move about across the lawn where the gathering continues.

“How is it while I’m gone?” Clark asked his friend.

“Everything’s fine although I haven’t got much time to see Victoria because of work, and being my brother’s nanny.” Nick replied. During the course of Clark’s business trip in Spain, Aaron also came to spend a week at Nick’s house and catch up with what’s going on with his brother.

“Don’t worry. Thank you, man.” The two made their secret handshake.

Nick smiled. “Anything for you, man. How’s work?”

“I got the job done while in Spain and made a few remixes for your upcoming new single. I brought my laptop today and maybe everyone can hear about it later.”

Nick drew a deep breath. “Thanks, man.”

Clark set aside the soda and seriously turned to his friend. “Alright, tell me the problem. What’s wrong with you? You know that I’m always willing to hear about it.”

Nick bit his lower lip and sighed. How can he admit to Clark that he wanted to be far away as much as possible to him and Victoria because it hurts to see them together? He chose to remain silent although his best friend since teen years can sense his dilemma, the way Kevin could. “No, it’s nothing.” He replied.

Clark didn’t pressed him anymore and sit back on the couch they were into. “Victoria told me that you already met her a year ago in London and even dated for quite some time.” Clark said. “You didn’t tell me more about it.”

“There’s nothing for you to worry about, Clark. Nothing’s between me and Victoria. I have no intentions on ruining your relationship together.” ‘And I will never touch her again,’ he silently added. He tried to look at his friend’s eyes.

“I know. But you still like her.”

Damn, Clark trusted him that much. He felt so guilty. There’s a long pause as the two sat together in silence. Victoria was across the lawn, playing with Howie’s family. The sweetness of her laughter rang across the lawn and can be heard from where the two men are sitting. The children were playing tag with her and one of Howie’s nieces clung on to her leg. “Yes, I still like her.” Nick said finally. “But I really don’t have plans on coming between you.”

“Are you telling that to me or to yourself?” Clark asked in response.

There was another long pause after that. Their eyes followed Victoria’s movement as she was approached by Pollyanna and Kristin. Kevin’s wife touched Victoria’s soft brown hair and they were talking about something. Leighanne joined them later and soon enough, the four women were laughing about something. Victoria had this ability to adapt easily to the people she just knew. Nick wondered how Victoria would handle political matters if she became a princess instead. She had this amazing personality of interacting well with others and life would be different for her then. He sighed.

“Both.”

“She’s a wonderful woman, isn’t she?”

Nick turned to him. “Stop it, Clark. What are you trying to do? You’re my friend. I don’t want anything to come between us.” He stood up.

Clark stood up too. “I know and I trusted you that much that you will never betray me.”

Nick nodded and drew a deep breath. This is really hard for him. “Let’s just quit the topic, okay? I still like her. That’s pretty clear. But I’m man enough to know where my boundaries lie. I know where I stand.” They stood there face to face, weighing each other’s look.

Clark extended his hand. “I’m sorry, Nick. I’ve been tactless.”

Nick looked down to his hand and after a while, he shakes it. “I understand, Clark. Let’s just forget about this. Don’t worry about me.”
FOURTEEN by scarlett
Author's Notes:
DISCLAIMER: This story is purely fan fiction only and none of the events mentioned here have happened or related to what happened in real life. This is only upon the imagination of the author.


FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER:
Nick finds it hard to cope up in seeing Victoria with his best friend, knowing her secret and can't do any thing about it...

 

 

Clark shook his head as he looked at Nick’s ice cream combo: cookies and cream, mango, cheese, strawberry, chocolate, coffee and vanilla flavors altogether in one huge ice cream bowl. And Nick never forgets the waffles and pretzels stuck on it. Clark cringed as he watched his best friend feasted on it.

“You know, Nick, I just located the men’s room at the left wing of the mall just in case you’ll need to find it,” he told him. Marc and Lauren, Nick’s bodyguards, chuckled. They just went at a nearby convention center to check on some car exhibit by Ford. Nick just grinned and continued with his ice cream. “You’re the most stubborn lactose intolerant I’ve ever seen.” Nick only stuck out his tongue to his friend and continued with his ice cream.

“Hey, long time, no see,” someone said, looking directly to Nick. The men turned and saw a pretty brunette. Nick was delighted to see an old friend and former school batch-mate, Erienne Philips.

“Erienne!” Nick immediately wiped his mouth, stood up and hugged her. But Clark was surprised and just looked at her. “Clark’s here.” When Erienne heard it, she looked surprised and looked at him. Her eyes only saw Nick and failed to see that he’s with her ex-boyfriend.

“Hi.”

Clark stood up and casually shook hands with her. “It’s been a while.”

“Yeah, like almost ten years.” Erienne added, biting her lower lip. Nick watched, as the two never let go of their hands. “How are you?” She casually asked.

Clark cleared his throat. “Doing fine. And you? How’s the world?” He asked. Erienne is an international flight attendant. Right before they graduated form high school, Erienne immediately accepted the offer from her uncle who works for a major airline. Instead of marching on the graduation ceremonies, she’s walking her way down the airplane’s aisle for her first-time job. She left Florida, and Clark, without clearly telling him about her sudden plans. Her abrupt leave angered and hurt Clark. Nick was already a Backstreet Boy that time but he knew what happened to his longtime best friend and his ex-girlfriend.

“Still round,” Erienne joked. Clark laughed sarcastically. The moment suddenly turns awkward. Nick cleared his throat and the two turned to him. He’s looking at their hands and the two immediately pulled apart. “Please join us,” Nick invited her.

“Oh, no. I can’t. I have an errand to do. I just dropped by to say hi when I saw you,” Erienne said. Clark returned to his seat.

“Do you have a place to stay where we can drop sometime?” Nick asked her again.

“Here in LA? No. I work for Northwest and my main base now is in Minneapolis.” She glanced at Clark. “The plane made a domestic stopover here and I decided to do some sightseeing. It’s been a long time and I missed the weather like this in Florida, too.”

“Yes, it is.” It was Clark.

“I have to go,” Erienne said, looking at her watch. “Bye.” She waved at Marc and Lauren then left. The men watched the woman walk off. She’s a real head turner and every man she passes by will, no doubt, look back to savor the beauty that has just passed by.

“There goes your first love,” Clark muttered in frustration as he watched Erienne go.



~~~



Victoria stared at Clark for quite sometime after they kissed. Something’s bothering him. “Clark…”

Clark looked at her. He smiled then leaned down to kiss her once again. Victoria loved his kisses. He never failed to show her how much he cares for her, how much he passionately tastes her lips and locked it on his own. She’s trying to forget what happened between her and Nick. It’s only a one-time thing and will never happen again. Clark doesn’t have to know that. Now, something’s different from Clark. Slowly, she ended the kiss and cupped Clark’s face.

“Alright, I’m not dumb and I could tell that something’s bothering you,” Victoria told her boyfriend.

Clark frowned. “What are you talking about, Victoria?”

“You kissed differently tonight.”

Clark slightly grinned. “What’s different?” he asked then. “Or are you trying to compare me to Nick? Did he kiss better than I do? Did you screw it up with him while I’m gone in Spain, huh?”

Victoria blushed but she wouldn’t dare comparing the two men and which is better. She slapped him on the face. “No, Clark. We didn’t do anything, you’re just too paranoid.” She watched as Clark turned away. She sighed. She stood up. “You knew how much I liked your kisses and how I really missed them. But this time, there’s something bothering you. I could feel you tremble, maybe your apprehension over something? I’m being honest with you, Clark.”

Clark drew a deep breath then turned back to her. He pulled her into an embrace but Victoria stepped away from him. “I’m sorry, Vicky. I’ve been unfair.”

Victoria bit her lower lip. “Clark…”

“I just felt guilty and I know that I can’t do this to you,” Clark continued. Victoria felt mistiness in her eyes as she slowly unravels what Clark is trying to tell her any moment from now. “I should have never said that when I feel that I’m the one cheating, not you.” He met her look and they stared at each other for a while. “I met my first love once again.”

Victoria tried not to blink back the tears but it fell anyway.

Clark helplessly looked at her and sighed. His hands went to his head as he slowly sits down on a chair. “I’m truly sorry, Vicky. But I guess, one just can’t teach the heart to forget that one who first made your heart beat.” He said. He looked apologetically at Victoria.

Victoria shook her head and sighed heavily. “We must be the oddest couple on earth, Clark. As much as it hurts for me to hear it from you, I’m guilty of something, too.” There has been a long silence between them.

“It’s Nick, isn’t it?” Victoria didn’t reply. Clark knew the affirmation in Victoria’s silence. He just couldn’t explain to himself why he couldn’t be mad at her or to his best friend. After all, Nick knew Victoria first before him. “He’s another lucky guy, Vicky. Nick is a nice man.”

Victoria didn’t say anything more. It wasn’t just about Nick. She just couldn’t tell Clark the truth about her person, that thing in which Nick already knew. She just couldn’t tell anyone that she’s supposed to be a princess in an old kingdom called Great Britain but unfortunately was exiled by her very own father in favor of her twin brother, William. So, although part of her also admits that she likes Nick too, she will just let Clark believe that Nick is her only reason to feel guilty of. She really felt bad about lying but she doesn’t have any choice. With Nick knowing her secret is danger enough, she doesn’t want to endanger Clark’s life too. And she doesn’t have to tell him what happened between her and Nick. There’s no way she’s going to ruin their friendship because of her. She groaned. She must have inherited the royal family’s infamous trait of infidelity.

“By the way, you didn’t tell me when we went to London the last time that we were going to Prince William’s wedding. How did you get an invitation from the royalty?” Clark suddenly asked.

Victoria looked at him. “Uh, I was acquainted with the prince when I spent months of vacation there last year. His former classmate in St. Andrews was my former classmate in junior high here.” She replied. “I’m sorry if I surprised you there.”

Clark shook his head. “No problem, Victoria. I was a little nervous at that time because I’ve never been around anyone so royal and wealthy.” He smiled at her. Another awkward silence until he continued. “Nick’s been a very good friend, Victoria. If you get the chance to be together, tell me. And I’ll see to it that he’ll never hurt you like I did.”

“Yes, it hurts me to hear you admit of your true love with another woman but I guess, we can still be friends. It may seem weird but yeah, uh, how about it?” Victoria bit her lower lip. Oh my, Clark is a nice man. She felt so guilty for keeping something from him after he admitted about finding his true love back. She’s not going to heaven on this one, she guiltily thought. “But with Nick, I think there’s no hope of having him back. So,” Clark looked at her. “Who’s your first love?” Victoria asked instead to divert the topic from her. She couldn’t lie anymore.

“Erienne is the woman who got away before.”

Victoria felt the tears trailed down her cheeks. Clark went to hug her. This time, she didn’t push him away. “Oh, this is really odd, Clark. We should be shouting against each other, angry that you love a woman more than me but I don’t know…I couldn’t be angry.” She hugged him back.

“Maybe because we found ourselves free, Vicky.”

Victoria closed her eyes. Is she really free?
FIFTEEN by scarlett
Author's Notes:
DISCLAIMER: This story is purely fan fiction only and none of the events mentioned here have happened or related to what happened in real life. This is only upon the imagination of the author.


FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER:
Clark met Erienne, his ex-girlfriend, again and it brought back old memories of the past with her. And with the string of events, he decided to go with the one he loves and broke up with Victoria. He knew that he just can't do anything more to break Victoria's heart by acting out on his dilemma immediately. Victoria accepted it and he guessed that it's because she still feels something for Nick. It's odd that under the said circumstances, they didn't break up shouting against each other. Clark said it's because they found freedom. But for Victoria, is she really free?


 

 

“I’m glad you aren’t angry at us anymore,” Prince Harry, or David as what Victoria used to call her brother, said when the two went in an exclusive restaurant. Harry flew from London to visit his elder sister.

“I think I was angry but all I felt was the old hurt feelings of being rejected by my own father and not being able to spend my life with the real family I could have,” Victoria replied. A waiter came to inquire about their food orders. They gave their requests first before continuing with their conversation.

“I think that you’re luckier because you get to live a very normal life, not being able to grow up being watched by media and now lives with Mum.” Harry told her. “Growing up under the prying eye of the media is not cool. It’s hard to trust anyone, thinking that they have hidden agenda beneath the connection they have with us.” He spoke very quietly so as to avoid being overheard. His lips are just slightly moving. Victoria was told once that her brothers have to learn to speak that way sometimes because some paparazzi have learned about lip-reading.

“Yes, I guess. I was really lucky. How’s Louis?” That’s how Victoria called her twin brother, Prince William. She was asked to call her brothers by their other names to avoid recognition. She is also trying to learn about controlling her lips when speaking to them.

“Fortunately, he managed to find the one who could love him as he is and not what he is as the future king. William loves her, too. If you would have just witnessed how William raged when Papa opposed to his fiancée and how he threatened to renounce his claim to the throne. If that happens, Papa knows that William is always ready to tell the world that he actually has a twin sister, and that the British Crown is actually in danger of being shared by twin sovereigns.”

“Such scandal, David!”

Harry nodded. “I’d love to have you into the family but I love you too much and think otherwise. I’d rather keep you in peace than be thrown in a sea of media hounds. Apparently, William used it only as a threat. He agreed with me that we have to protect you. But we often use it because that’s Papa’s weak point. He could be a bloody raging bastard sometimes when we do that trick to him.” He winked at his sister.

“I’m touched, David. After all I’ve thought ill of you and Louis, you still loved me just the same.” Victoria told her brother. Their orders arrived quickly and they let the waiter set the food for them.

Harry was about to say something when he saw Victoria looking intensely at something, or rather to someone. When he turned to where is it, he found his sister locking eyes with a blonde man standing behind the counter. He doesn’t look like one of the employees. He probably is the owner of the restaurant.

Victoria turned back and found Harry looking at her. “Who’s he? He’s not Clark.” He said, giving her a wicked grin. Victoria introduced them to Clark as her friends, when she attended William’s wedding. His brothers were aware that Clark was her boyfriend. “It seems like you managed to inherit the royal family’s famous scandalous trait.”

“Stop it, Harry. I’m not, because Clark and I weren’t together anymore.” Victoria hissed but Harry kept on teasing. She rolled her eyes. “His name is Nick Carter. All I know is that he is friends with the owner of this restaurant.” She tried to know about it before choosing the restaurant to meet with Harry.

“Oh, that’s Nick Carter, huh?” He said as if he has already heard of him before. He looked at the man who’s now talking with the security of the establishment. “I see, it’s the street bloke.”

“Backstreet Boy.” Victoria raised an eyebrow. “What do you mean by that? And please stop looking at him!” She whispered firmly. “He might think we’re talking about him.”

Harry saw his sister blushing, “Aren’t we? Is he the reason why you chose this restaurant for us to have dinner?”

“You didn’t tell me why you know him.”

“Mum told me and William about him a year ago and how you gave him up just to protect yourself and Mum’s privacy.” Harry replied to his sister. “After a year, is he still that special to you? You wanted to see him that’s why you chose to have dinner with me here.”

“We dated. And for your information, I was thinking about you when I decided to go here for dinner. As your big sister, I am responsible to watch over you as well.” She drew a deep breath before she continue, “From some unknown source, Nick already knows who I really am and how am I related to you. Knowing the full circumstances of it, I still trusted him.” Victoria noticed the uneasiness on Harry’s side. She touched her brother’s arm. “He’s going to protect us while we are here. Don’t worry, David.” Her brother looked closely at her.

“And who’s going to protect him from you, Vicky? You know that it’s dangerous enough to know who you really are. No one should know about it.” Harry asked. His sister went silent. She couldn’t find the answer for that. “You loved him so much, Vicky, don’t you?”

“Yes, but I’m not sure if he feels that way towards me in return.” Victoria said sadly. But as Harry glanced at Nick, he thinks that the man just felt the same towards her sister.



~~~



‘Thank you for loving my sister. I hope you’d take good care of her as much as William and I should have been, Harry.’

Nick drew a deep breath. His chest tightened into feeling some deep emotion upon reading the note sent by the prince. His friend, Ivan, who owned the place, received the note from the prince himself on that night he’s been there with Victoria. It’s been two days since the two have dined in his friend’s new restaurant. Victoria and Harry seemed to be getting along well now, which is a good thing. Victoria looked happy as she listened and talked with her brother. Nick, on the other hand, made sure to his friend that the security was tight within the place. He also managed to avoid suspicion that the popular prince of England was there with his ‘secret’ sibling. Harry made a neat disguise on that night like some artistic aficionado. Fortunately, there weren’t any paparazzi around the place. The media are aware that the restaurant is off-limits for them.

Nick recalled that night again. His hired secret security for Victoria told him that she’s meeting with the prince and Nick immediately went to the restaurant to make sure that she’s being well-guarded. He was suddenly obsessed on protecting her, knowing the circumstances of what she’s doing when she’s seeing one of her brothers. How could he forget the time when Victoria looked on his way? He remembered that special time they shared together. She literally took his breath away and he just couldn’t take his eyes off her. Harry must have noticed that. His note explained it all, including the knowledge that Nick also knows about Victoria’s true identity.

Nick turned to check the next note coming from Kevin. ‘Did you know about this? Kevin.’ Attached on it was Clark’s resignation letter.
SIXTEEN by scarlett
Author's Notes:
DISCLAIMER: This story is purely fan fiction only and none of the events mentioned here have happened or related to what happened in real life. This is only upon the imagination of the author.


FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER:
Victoria secretly met her brother, Prince Harry, in an exclusive restaurant in LA. Nick happened to be there as he is acquainted with the owner of the establishment. Prince Harry noticed the exchanged looks between his sister and Nick and realized that both have the same feelings for each other. Nick learned about what the prince thought about him towards his sister when he received a note from Harry. Aside from that, he also received a note from Kevin regarding Clark's resignation from his job.

 

 

“I didn’t know that you’re planning to resign,” Nick said to his best friend. He went to Clark’s apartment to talk to him about it. Clark is a great asset in the recording company and Kevin hated to lose someone like him. He is a genius in sound engineering. The other Backstreet Boys highly recommended him. Nick helped in the persuasion and so, Clark was accepted in the position and will be relocated in New York.

“I didn’t plan it either, until Erienne came along,” Clark gave him a can of beer.

“Erienne?”

Clark turned to him. “Look, Nick. I pondered on this for more than a hundred times. What would you do if the one who walked away came back for another chance of the lifetime with you, which was what you’ve been wishing too?”

“W-What about Victoria?”

“I decided to go for someone that I really love no matter what’s the cost if it’ll only means forever happiness with her,” Clark said in reply to his own question. “And in answer to your question, Victoria and I already broke up. I might be the selfish one between the two of us but I also felt that I couldn’t deny it to Victoria as well. We decided to remain friends. She’s a wonderful woman and I think she may have already found her own man by now. So, what about you?”

“What about me?”

Clark chuckled. “You know it’s weird that when I heard from you that you liked her too, I wasn’t mad. Or am I really supposed to be because my best friend is in love with my girlfriend?” He saw Nick looked away. “But I’m not, not even a little bit mad. And then I realized that I’m in the wrong position in her life. I’m supposed to be the friend, and you as her boyfriend.”

“Clark, I – uh…”

Clark raised his can of beer for a toast. “Do something before it gets too late for you.”

“You’re too nice, Clark. I felt so guilty. I’m so sorry. Forgive me.”

“You didn’t do anything wrong, Nick. We came to this point that we’ve been involved with a same woman and it happens that we need to reevaluate ourselves over what makes us really happy. I couldn’t deny my feelings for Erienne is still here and so are you, with Victoria. I hope you’ll do what you have to do to keep from losing her again. This is your second chance.”

“I don’t know what to say, Clark.” His best friend is one of the nicest people he knew.

Clark chuckled, patting his best friend on the shoulders. “You’re a very good person, Nick, and not everyone knows that. I know you that well and enough to say that you need to be happy this time. Take that chance with Victoria.”



~~~



“Who?”

“Mr. Nick Carter, Ma’am,” Victoria’s secretary replied when she asked who has come and wanted to see her. The secretary is obviously star-struck when she saw the excited glint in her eyes. It’s not everyday that a cute celebrity will drop by for a visit.

“Send the cute man in, Dory,” she instructed with a smile. Dory chuckled. “Thank you.” She began pretending to be writing something on her desk calendar to be assumed that she’s busy. Her fingers trembled when she picked up her pen. How is she going to face him without even trying to remember the way he kissed and touched her? Nick’s sudden presence distracts her peace inside her office. She’s currently working for her father’s company which has its own office in Los Angeles. Her father may be a rich man but that doesn’t mean she doesn’t have to work in her life. She wanted to do something. She wanted to be productive.

There was a knock first before Nick entered the room. Victoria saw him carrying a small pot of lilies-of-the-valley, her favorite. They are Fortin’s Giant, the kind of which the flower has larger white blossoms. Did he research on simple things like that, too? “I hope you’d appreciate this,” Nick said.

“It’s beautiful,” Victoria stood from her seat to accept the flowers from Nick. He helped her place it on a side table near the large glass windows then Victoria ushered him towards the long couch in the office. “Have a seat. W-would you like something to drink?”

“No, thanks. I came here to talk to you, to apologize for the way I acted the last time. I mean, for investigating on you.” Nick said. They remained standing by the couch.

Victoria frowned. “I felt guilty when I was with Clark. I couldn’t even look at him straight in the eye. And I still couldn’t get over the fact that you had me investigated.”

“I’m really sorry, Victoria. I know it’s wrong but can you blame me if I wanted to find out what’s been bothering me when I met you, and that you’ve been hiding something from me? I thought of it as one of the reasons why you stood me up in Harrods last year. Call me old-fashioned but I believe that when I love someone, I tend to find out what could be bothering her until I got enough to do something to protect her from any harm because I’m ready to be with her through any course of joys and sufferings. It might still be unreasonable for you because I admit, I invaded your privacy.” He paused, staring right through her. “But if that’s the only way to know and answer my questions, I’ll do it many times over. I love you so much, Victoria. I’ll do everything for you. I love you so much that I’m willing to be by your side and endure the danger it caused me with just knowing your secret. I don’t care. I just wanted to be here, and to protect you.”

“Do you, really?” Victoria’s voice is almost in a whisper.

“Yeah, I love you.” Nick smiled nervously. Victoria noticed that. How could that be? He is Nick Carter, the man who’s adored by millions of women because of his looks and personality. How can he be unsure of himself? She can sense the insecurity and vulnerability in him. “I came here to tell you that too. I’m sorry for the wrong things I’ve done. If I have to go through punishment for that, I will accept it and trust me that your true identity will never be revealed. And whatever happens from here, I’ll always be here to protect you.”

He leaned down to kiss her on the cheeks. “Bye,” He felt a lump on his throat as he said that. He doesn’t want to say goodbye, but he can’t stay any longer. He turned to leave the office.

Victoria was only left staring at his retreating form. It doesn’t matter if Nick already knew about the secrets of her past. All she could think of is Nick and the situation they are into right now. He deserved the explanation but she ditched him before she could think of the proper way to do it. And she’s thinking about his safety. The knowledge of the family’s secret is already a danger to his life.
SEVENTEEN by scarlett
Author's Notes:
DISCLAIMER: This story is purely fan fiction only and none of the events mentioned here have happened or related to what happened in real life. This is only upon the imagination of the author.


FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER:

Clark resigned from his work as sound engineer with the Backstreet Boys but Nick came to convince him not to. That's when he found out that his best friend go for his first love and broke up with Victoria. Nick went to Victoria to tell her that he loves her and is willing to protect her amidst the threat in his own life.

 

 

“Goodbye,” Nick hugged Clark then turned to Erienne to kiss her on the cheeks. The two are on their way to New York to live. Clark accepted the job, while Erienne will be transferring to Northwest’s office in New York as she decided to quit as a flight attendant to focus on her marriage life. They just got married yesterday in the local judge’s office. Nick stood as one of the witnesses.

“See you next year,” Clark said, his face is glowing. He seemed so happy with the sudden turnabout of events, so did Erienne. She and Clark have been holding each other’s hands ever since they got out from Nick’s car when they arrived at the airport.

“Yeah, next year,” Nick nodded. Marriage is going to do well for Clark. Nick wondered if he’s ready to go to that phase of settling down like his best friend. Well, he has financial security. He had investments and a business partnership with AJ. His career is doing well. Maybe, the only thing left to do is to get married too. Anyway, he’s already tired of the life of endless parties and late night-outs. He wants more time alone and with someone special. He imagined spending that time with Victoria. He shakes his head. Is he really considering marriage?

“I read the morning paper earlier,” Clark added, sounding concerned at Nick’s silence. “Victoria and Prince Harry had pictures together. Watch out for that. The prince might take her from you.”

Nick didn’t know how the paparazzi get a hold of some pictures when the two were together the last time. “Don’t worry about that,” Nick assured him.

Clark studied his friend in a long time. Nick doesn’t seem worried about it at all. “Are you alright, man?” Nick just nodded. They turned when somebody called the couple. It was Victoria, who instantly hugged the newlyweds as she reached them. While she’s at it, Nick glanced at his bodyguard, Marc.

“Five paparazzi, Nick,” he muttered. Nick nodded then smiled when Victoria turned to him.

“Hi, Victoria,” He greeted her. Beneath his dark sunglasses, he noticed one paparazzo watching them. He leaned down to kiss the woman on the cheeks then wrapped his arms around her waist. “Five paparazzi are watching you,” he whispered at her. As expected, he saw a flicker of shots courtesy of the cameras. “Your British headlines with Prince Harry got their attention.”

Victoria maintained her smile as she wears back her dark sunglasses. “This is odd. I came here to say goodbye to my ex-boyfriend and his new wife.” She laughed nervously. Erienne nodded with a smile. Clark told her the situation and she understood. “Anyway, I meant well. I wish you a happy trip and a good married life, Clark and Erienne.” She let Nick’s arm stay on her waist. From afar, they appeared to be a much attached couple.

“Well, thank you. I wish the same luck for you when your time comes.” Clark replied.

“It seems like the papers are wrong, and Nick is right about nothing to worry about,” Erienne noticed.

“It’s for the paparazzi, just an appearance. Prince Harry is just my friend but I don’t want the attention. One must dig the facts before assuming anything,” Victoria replied, casting a glance to Nick then back to the couple. Nick only smiled when Victoria reminded him of what he’s done. Then they heard the two’s flight are now being called for the boarding.

“I guess this is it,” Erienne hugged the two. Clark followed his wife as the two watched them leave.

“Uh, what’s next for us?” Nick asked quietly as they stood watching their friends leave.

“Maybe if you could take me for a walk in the park, we could start something new again.” Victoria suggested. Nick stared at her for a long time. “I missed our first moment in the park. And I’ve been thinking if we can give this time a chance for both of us.” She added.

“Sure.” Nick shyly replied.

Victoria smiled. She saw him blush as she takes his hand and they walked towards the car.
EIGHTEEN by scarlett
Author's Notes:
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER:
Clark married his first love, Erienne, and accepted a job in New York where he will settle with his wife. At that time, the press got a hole of Victoria together with Prince Harry and to divert the attention and curiosity from possible research on who she is, Nick helped her pretend that they're a couple while seeing Clark and Erienne off to the airport. But after this, are they going to start anew?

 

 

From a walk in the park that started in day one, the next days continued with casual dinners, a visit to a museum, watching movies together or just hanging around to anywhere they felt like going to. Victoria didn’t said anything more about his profession of love towards her so Nick is waiting and wondering what is the real score between them. Although he doesn’t want to expect if Victoria will be reciprocating his love, he always wished she would. But it’s almost a week now and Nick is still waiting. Well, he will endure the wait he can. The fans and the media were already aware of Victoria’s presence in Nick’s life as well and she constantly received some attention from them. Her face graced the TV, magazines and the internet. Victoria was scared at first but Nick assured her that he will make sure that she will be well-protected. And her true identity will never be revealed.

“Nick.”

He turned when Phil, his new bodyguard, called him. A bottle of water was thrown to him and he immediately caught it in his hands. “Thanks, man.” Phil only nodded and went back to where Marc, Lauren and Tyrone where – Nick’s other bodyguards.

“How is it?” Kevin asked in a whisper. “Do you want me to add another bodyguard for you?”

Nick looked at his friend. He chuckled. “Nah, I’m cool with those four men. AJ and Brian couldn’t stop teasing me about it. I couldn’t even explain to them why but Brian is starting to wonder. I don’t want to attract any more curiosity.”

Kevin nodded. He turned around and saw a black Chevrolet van arrived. Victoria came out from it after her bodyguard did. He watched as the men greeted her congenially before she proceeded to where Nick is. She is a constant sight wherever Nick is around and everyone got used to it. It wasn’t long before he noticed that his wife has finally arrived as well. It seems like the women are the ones who’s been picking them up today. They just got through filming the first video of their new album. Brian was the first one to leave when Leighanne came early. Victoria greeted him when she got near them. “Do you have plans today?” He asked the young couple. Damn, he felt he’s sounding like a father to Nick. He’s just too concerned of his safety. Nick already received a death threat from the underground society that Vocks has been telling them about.

“We’re just going to stay over at my place, Kev. Victoria is cooking dinner for everyone,” Nick smiled in assurance. He knew that Kevin is worrying too much for him.

“Everyone?”

“Yeah, Aaron and BJ dropped by for a visit. And then we have to feed the bodyguards.” Nick replied. He greeted Kristin who came beside her husband. “Wanna tag along?”

Kevin shakes his head. “Kristin and I are picking up Mama and Papa at the airport.” He replied, referring to Kristin’s parents. “Bye.” He nodded to Nick’s bodyguards then left. When the two were gone, Nick turned to Victoria.

“Kevin doesn’t like me.” Victoria said.

“He’s just worried about me.” Nick replied as they walked towards the waiting car. “You know, he’s always the one present when I got into trouble with my ex-girlfriends.” He couldn’t tell Victoria that Kevin knows about her secret as well. There may be chances that she will tell it to her father, the way she did when Nick told her about what he knows. Kevin is a very good friend and he doesn’t want to endanger his friend’s life. Kristin needs her husband.

“Oh, so it seems like he’s being careful that I might mess around.”

“You’re not my girlfriend, Victoria. We’re just having a mutual understanding,” Nick quietly pointed out then bit his lower lip afterwards. “But don’t worry. I’m willing to wait when you’re ready.” He stopped and returned to Howie when he forgot to tell something, leaving Victoria alone. She looked at Nick. He met her look.

Victoria walked towards them. Nick watched her get near, making Howie look at her too. She surprised them when she reached out to kiss Nick on the lips. Nick forgot what he’s about to tell Howie when her lips met his. His hands went to hold her arms.

“Oh.” Howie stepped backward as he watched them kissed.

Victoria took one last nip then raised her eyes to his. “Alright, I’m ready. And I just want you to know, I love you too.”

Nick gave her his most charming smile and bents down and kiss her once again.



~~~



“Subject NC, located at six o’ clock.”

The hired assassin located a figure of a man standing outside a building. The one being spied on is wearing black shades and talking to someone over the phone. A large built of a man is standing nearby, probably his bodyguard.

He looked at the photo he’s holding in hand and compared it to the man he’s targeting right now. “Tall, blonde and good-looking guy. Your bodyguards won’t be of any use.” He smirked. “How could a celebrity get interested with Her Highness? How did he manage to know the secret of the cover-up?”

“Get on with it, Smith. The underworld wanted him dead.” The voice in his earpiece said. “Secure the secret now.”

“Alright. Such impatience!” Smith aimed his state-of-the-art silent gun to the man. “Damn, this kid had sugar for breakfast. He moves a lot!” he said in frustration. From Nick’s chest, his aim turned to his shoulder and it was too late before he prevented himself to wait further. Nick moved once again but he was shot in the stomach.

Nick Carter suddenly fell down the pavement.
NINETEEN by scarlett
Author's Notes:
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Victoria gave in and told Nick her true feelings for him. They started going out together then until tragedy struck which endangered Nick's life...

 

 

“A high caliber bullet was found in Carter’s body after he was shot this afternoon outside a photography studio in LA. The youngest Backstreet Boy is still inside the ICU after a crucial operation and there was no definite press statement yet from the Boys’ publicist about his condition. Police investigators were still trying to see the motive behind this –“ William shut off the TV and picked up his phone. He quickly dialed Victoria’s number and his twin immediately answered.

“Louis!” Victoria cried. William patiently waited for her as she cries on the other line before he sensed that she is ready talk. His twin’s sobs mellowed down as he shushed her.

“How is he?”

“He’s not good.” There was a pause. William can hear a commotion on the other line. “The shot was severe. He had internal bleeding earlier and the doctors had him in surgery again. He lost a lot of blood and they also needed to find a donor for him. I don’t want him to die.” Victoria cried.

“Hush, Vicky. I think I know why he was shot but of course, we couldn’t tell anyone about it.” He can still hear his sister crying. It’s heartbreaking to hear her like this and he’s too far away to even give her consolation. He sees her as a strong woman. But this is the man that she loves and it makes her vulnerable.

“I think so too.” Victoria sniffed. “I don’t know what to do. I don’t like what’s happening.”

“Any help I can do?”

“People will wonder why are you helping, Louis. We can’t do anything about this. This is their job. We know that this is part of the rules they have.” Victoria sighed.

“Maybe you can tell your dad what to do with them.” William suggested. “Please don’t cry. It hurts that I can’t do anything to be there for you, sis.”

“Thanks. I appreciate that, Louis. I got to go. I need to talk to my dad.” And with that, Victoria hung up. William stared at his phone. This is a serious matter. Nick’s life was endangered because he knows the secret. Everyone outside the intelligence operations should be silenced. He is aware of that. He was just hoping that the underworld was a little considerate, for Victoria’s sake.

But they are not and Nick is now fighting for his own life.



~~~



Kevin’s red eyes can obviously tell that he’s very worried of his ‘little brother’. Gripping tightly on his wife’s hand, he sat torturously outside the surgery room and waited for the good news. A lot has happened to them in the past few years. AJ got through his personal dilemma as well as Nick with his. Howie recovered from his loss while Brian is starting to gain his own family. He, on the other hand, also started a new life with Kristin and nothing could be much better than that. The Backstreet Boys reunited and launched a new album. They may have had their individual projects after that but they were back to make this another album again. They are starting to enjoy their lives, being thankful and happy for the blessings they have. The youngest, and the one who’s gone through a lot, deserves more than happiness that life could bring. Kevin prayed for that. He loves Nick like a brother, almost like a father and like a friend and it hurts him to see the younger one go to the path where the outside forces were leading him. He tried to be there for Nick in times of need, so did the other Boys. They tried to protect him from anything, from anyone who’s attempting to pull him down the drain. They deeply believed that Nick had so much to do for his brighter future. He’s a nice person, a man full of love and compassion.

His life should not end like this.

Tears began to pour down again. He couldn’t help it. Nick is one of his weaknesses, as well as the other Boys. They have become part of his system, his daily life basis. He couldn’t imagine a life without that blonde guy. He felt his wife’s arms wrapping around his. People in the hospital were probably looking at him now, in this most vulnerable moment in his life since his father died. But he doesn’t care what they think. Nick shouldn’t die.

“Kevin…”

Kevin shakes his head as his tears continue to fall. “N-nick doesn’t deserve…this.” He tried to say. He hugged Kristin. Her warm embrace brought him to even more tears. He felt some presence around them. He looked up and saw the rest of the guys. Their eyes were in tears as well. “It should not end like this.”

“We know,” AJ’s hoarse voice tried to say.

“Let’s all pray.” Brian whispered. He couldn’t bear to talk but he needs to say it. He wished everything is a nightmare and that Nick will go out of that surgery room, smiling and joking around. Leighanne takes his hand. Howie initiated on gathering them in a small circle, along with the management, their publicist, some hospital staff, family and friends for the prayer.

“I’ll join too.” Victoria said, stepping between Howie and AJ and holding their hand. With Brian’s initiative, they slowly prayed.
TWENTY by scarlett
Author's Notes:
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Nick was shot and Victoria knew who did it, as well as her tiwn, Prine William. But they cannot tell anyone about it for it will only expose the secret of their mother's cover-up in 1997 Paris car crash. Nick is still in the hospital, has undergone another operation and needs a blood donor. How will anyone take this if he's still in danger of survival?

 

 

Victoria saw, through her dark shades, the large group of fans crowding outside the hospital. They were on a prayer vigil since the first night that Nick was brought there. She was amazed by how far these people can do for their idol. They started to grow as days passed by; still hoping that Nick would turn out fine. After his last surgery, the internal bleeding was prevented. When the doctors announced the need for blood transfusion, a couple of fans donated their blood for Nick. Still, Nick’s condition is under observation. He hasn’t awake yet.

And just like when her mother ‘died’ in the Paris car accident, flowers for Nick overflowed the hospital’s parking lot. Her eyes grew in mistiness when she saw how do a lot of people cared for Nick. She even heard that Nick’s famous celebrity friends expressed their prayers to him. The media feasted on what happened. No one can tell why this happened and who has the motive. Nick may have few mischiefs up in his sleeve but he was never the bad guy to even have someone resort into trying to kill him.

“Victoria!”

Victoria felt her bodyguard’s hand on her back, ushering her inside the hospital, but she couldn’t ignore the calls coming from the Boys’ fans. She looked at Oscar. “Give me a little time to talk with them first, please?”

“A little while only, madam.” Oscar nodded. He followed when Victoria went to where the fans are, barricaded against a low steel fence. The hospital administration provided a small portion of the parking lot for them, by request of the Boys and their management. The fans camped out there, marking their territory. A team of police were deployed in case of out-of-control situation but so far, there have been peace. She heard from the news that some fans held a mass for Nick’s recovery in the hospital’s chapel. She found it really amazing that these people cared so much for Nick.

“How is he?” a redheaded woman asked as soon as she gets near. Victoria felt flashes of camera on her.

She bit her lower lip. “He’s not yet awake. His vitals are not doing well either.” She felt that Nick’s fans deserved a little information about him. All they just wanted is for the betterment of his welfare. “Did you already eat? I called for catering service and they will be here in an hour for you.” She told them. That’s the least she can do to thank them. “We don’t want you to go hungry.”

“We’re fine. Kevin and Brian had breakfast with us earlier. Thank you.” A woman beside her said.

“We thank you for your support and prayers.” Victoria said again.

“How are you?” another fan asked, taking her hand and holding it tight.

“Same as you, worried.” Victoria replied. With that, she received a hug from them. That’s when she finally gave in and cried. Oscar waited for a few moments before he takes his boss inside the hospital. “Thank you for your prayers. I’ll tell Nick how much all of you cared.” She said before she was taken inside. When she reached Nick’s room where he’s still unconscious, she only saw Kevin.

“We saw from the window that you talked with the fans. We went to them earlier this morning too and ate breakfast with them.” Kevin said.

“As what they’ve told me. You have the most amazing fans.” Victoria said, sitting at the foot of the bed and looking at Nick’s sleeping form. She wanted things back to normal. She didn’t want to see him like this.

“They all came here for Nick.” Kevin added. “They told me that they came from everywhere in America. I was surprised that there are those who also came from Europe and Asia. It’s nice seeing they united like this, praying as one. I wished that the world would come to that certain oneness, peace and harmony how different we may be because in our part, that’s what our fans are. All of them were different, coming from all walks of life and yet, our music made them one.”

“It will take a long time before we came to that certain peace that you’re talking about.” Victoria sighed.

“It’s a blessing that music is the universal language and maybe from there, we can start our little dreams of peace.” Kevin said. He went towards Nick and touched his hair. “I wonder why any one will do this to him.”

Victoria glanced at Nick’s friend who seriously acted as his older brother. She never told Kevin or anyone about what she and William had talked about, that Nick was wanted to be dead because he knows the secret of the cover-up. She didn’t want to further harm Nick’s friends by telling them her secret. “I don’t know why, Kevin, but I’m going to find out who did this and prevent this from happening again.” She’ll talk to her Dad about this matter once he gets back from Egypt. She knew that the people behind this will never ho to jail. It’s their job and their main concern to protect them. It’s sad to think about it. She wanted them in jail but they will not win if they fight the people in the underground society. They have lots of connections all over the world and it will only endanger Nick and his friends more. She turned back to Nick. She couldn’t bear seeing him like this. She brought him harm. It’s her fault why this happened to him and she’s putting danger to his friends too. Maybe she should just go away and everyone will be safe.

Kevin only nodded and didn’t press more when Victoria said that. She obviously knew who did this and she didn’t realize that if he didn’t know her secret, he will ask why she is very sure about preventing this thing from happening again. He knew Victoria will never mention anything about her secret to him but he’s thankful to hear that she’ll do something from what happened. Hopefully, anyone in the underground society will stop and leave Nick alone.
TWENTY ONE by scarlett
Author's Notes:
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Victoria still couldn't tell who is the person behind Nick's accident.

 

 

“I think it’s stupid,” Arthur blurted out which makes his sister and his mother turned to him.

“What?” Alice asked her son. They were having their lunch in their mother’s home when Victoria announced that she will stop seeing Nick.

Arthur looked at his sister who doesn’t even feel like eating. He hasn’t seen Victoria much since she lives in her own house. But she’s usually there in her parents’ home during weekends and Arthur is thankful that she’s here now after what happened to her boyfriend. He wanted to see if she’s doing fine after the incident with Nick. Victoria seems to be having a hard time now after she mentioned about turning away, in fear for Nick’s safety.

“It’s stupid that they had to do that to Nick just to keep the secret. Nick is a nice guy and he will never tell anything. I trusted him.” Arthur told his mother. “He didn’t deserve that.” He only met Nick two times and he found him nice and he’s making his sister happy. That’s the important part.

“But I need to be away from him and his friends now because they will not be safe when I’m around. I don’t want to repeat what happened. Brian and Kevin already have a family, AJ has his mom and Howie had his family. It’s just best to sacrifice this and no one will be harmed.” Victoria drinks her glass of juice.

“How is Nick now?” Alice asked her daughter.

“From the last time I saw his condition, the vital signs are improving although he’s not yet awake. I already gave my goodbye letter to the guys and to Nick. Kevin will give the letter to him when he woke up.” Victoria said. Alice can see that she’s just trying to put on a strong face. “I don’t know why this is happening to me. It seems like I don’t deserve to be happy. Everywhere I go, I just bring bad luck. This must be my curse. Charles got rid of me because it’d be unfortunate to have twin heir to the throne. And now Nick was harmed because of me.”

“Vicky, don’t say that.” Alice sets down her table napkin and stood up to go over her daughter.

“I’m alright, Mom.” Victoria sniffed and wiped her tears. “I just really felt unwanted.” She felt her mother’s arms closing in around her.



~~~



Nick drew a deep breath as he slowly opened his eyes. He heard a noise going on around him. When he can finally see things, he saw his friends, his brother and sisters and the management in the room. “Is there a party?”

It was BJ who first hugged him and soon followed by the others. He heard AJ shouting at the window the words ‘he woke up!’ and he heard screams outside. “Oh my God. Is that our fans? Are they as large as those in Brazil?” He chuckled then stopped himself because there’s an odd feeling in his stomach.

“It can be,” AJ replied as he videotaped the view from Nick’s hospital suite. “I’m taking a shot. Say hi to Nick!” He told the fans. The people in the room laughed at AJ’s excitement.

“There were so many people outside that a team of police was deployed for crowd control. Don’t worry about the other patients. The fans were very considerate not to make any noise these past few weeks. This is the only time they made a noise like that.” Denise told him and turned to her son to stop him from exciting the fans.

“You’re here for seven days now, Nick.” Aaron said. “I miss you, bro.” Their sisters said the same thing as well.

“Mom went here. She and Dad met but for your sake, they didn’t fight. That’s a good thing.” Leslie kissed her older brother on the cheeks.

“Thanks,” Nick turned to Kevin, Brian and Howie. AJ is still busy documenting what is happening outside. “Thank you for your support.” His eyes blurred with tears. They take turns in hugging him, as well as their management who was there. “You must have predicted that I’m waking up today. Almost everyone is in complete attendance.” He saw Clark standing at the end of the bed with his wife. He looked around.

“Everyone takes turns in looking after you, Nick.” Brian said with a smile. “We’re just about to change shifts when you woke up.” Nick still looked around. Kevin noticed that and glanced to the other guys. He pulled the envelope from his pocket. AJ was already showing Nick the video of the fans outside but he merely acknowledged it.

“Where’s Victoria?” Nick finally asked.

Kevin stepped forward and gave him Victoria’s letter.
TWENTY TWO by scarlett
Author's Notes:
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Victoria decided to get out of Nick's life in fear for his safety, as well as his friends'. Nick finally woke up after days of lying unconscious and had everyone worried about him. It seems like everyone is there when he woke up except for one person.

 

 

Dear Nick,
I’m sorry that I have to do this kind of letter again and I know that you hate it. But this time, this is my final goodbye. I just can’t be with you any longer. I will only bring you harm and I don’t want anything to happen to you again. I love you but I guess, things are just not meant to be for both of us. You deserved more than I can give. Just forget me and get on with your life. You have a wonderful one ahead of you and there are lots of people who love you.
I will miss you and what I will do is the best for both of us.
Lovingly yours,
Victoria



“It’s unfair!” Nick screamed and his voice echoed through the empty walls of his big house. He slowly slides himself down the floor, his back against the wall. His brother, Aaron, came running down the hall and saw him on the floor. He is aware that Nick’s girlfriend, Victoria, left a goodbye letter for him but that’s it. He didn’t know the reason. He’d never seen Nick cried so much over a woman before. He must have fallen so hard for this Victoria, whoever she is. Nick is crying for the nth time since he was taken home yesterday.

“Nick…”

“Let me be alone, Aaron. Just this once…” Nick said. Aaron quietly walked away, still worried of his brother. He went to the kitchen, getting himself prepared for anything to happen, waiting for Nick in case his brother needed him. The doctors advised Nick to rest and avoid getting tired. Aaron assured everyone that he’ll remember everything that was advised for Nick. His mother will be arriving tomorrow to stay and take care of Nick for a while.

Aaron silently listened to his brother’s weeping down the hall. He wished he can do something to ease Nick’s sad feelings away. It hurts him to see Nick like this, after going through a lot in his life, have been to terrible relationships and scheming music representatives, he thinks that his brother deserves to live happily and peacefully. Why would someone want him dead?

“Vicky…”

Aaron bit his lower lip. He wanted to see that woman and let her know how she hurt Nick so bad. He’s deep in his thoughts that he failed to realize that Nick is now screaming in agony and calling him. “Nick!” He ran towards his brother. “What’s wrong? Tell me, Nick.”

“My wound hurts.” Nick groaned.

“Hold on, Nick.” Aaron grabbed his car keys and helped his brother up and walked him out of the house. “You shouldn’t be tiring yourself, Nick. The doctors strictly told you that.” He muttered as he helped his brother into the car after a moment of struggle to open the car door. He takes out his mobile phone as he went around to the driver seat and started the car. “Kevin. I need your help. I’m taking Nick back to the hospital.”



~~~



“He’s been crying a lot since we came home yesterday.” Aaron told Kevin after Nick was rushed inside the emergency room for his wounds. It was already bleeding when they reached the hospital. Kevin was there, waiting for them at the lobby. “He’s been crying about some woman named Victoria. I never met his girlfriend. I don’t know why they broke up. It hurts Nick so much.”

Kevin’s jaw clenched as he nodded. “I couldn’t explain the circumstances why they have to break up, Aaron. Obviously, it hurts for both of them to come into this decision. Nick is obviously very much in love with Victoria but it will take a lot of time before things will be settled and they can be really together.”

“I can’t understand, Kevin.”

“It’s complicated. It’s better not to ask anymore, Aaron. Nick’s life is more important right now.” Kevin wearily sits down on the available chair at the hall and Aaron followed him.

“All I wanted is for my brother to be happy.”

“We all wanted that for Nick.” Kevin turned to the younger man. “But if you were to choose between the two, your life or your happiness? Clearly, Victoria loved Nick so much that she’d rather leave than stay.” He puts his arm on Aaron’s shoulders. “It’s hard to understand but Nick and Victoria have a unique and special relationship and there were lots of things that try to go between them. It’s all about the matters of the heart, Aaron. Someday, when you found the right one for you, you will realize that there are sacrifices that you have to make before you come to that state of happiness. It’s hard. I’ve been through that road but found my way home with my wife. Love is a complicated thing.”

Aaron bit his lower lip as he fought his own tears. “Sometimes I wish that Nick never became a Backstreet Boy. He sacrificed a lot for this dream. He never had a high school life, never gone to prom, never had a decent relationship…”

“But these things are meant to happen, Aaron. God willed for these things to happen. He had plans for each one of us. There are lessons in life that we have to learn along the way. This is just one of them.”
TWENTY THREE by scarlett
Author's Notes:
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Nick was devastated upon receiving Victoria's letter that Aaron rushed him back to the hospital because his wound bleeds again.

 

 

“Dad, promise me that no one is going to hurt Nick again.” Victoria pleaded with her father. She brushed the tears away as she never waver her look to her father. “I already told him that I’ll leave him because I don’t want anything more to happen to him, or to anyone of his friends. Dad, please. Nick has nothing to do with this. We can trust him. He will never squeal the secret to anyone. Don’t let things come to worst. His friends have families of their own. Don’t let this thing happen again.”

Martin drew a deep breath as he finally turned to his daughter. “Stand up, Victoria.”

Victoria shakes her head. She is kneeling in front of her father, literally begging him to leave Nick and his friends alone and away from harm. “Daddy…”

“You don’t realize that this is a very complicated situation, Victoria. This is an international concern.”

“Dad, I know that. As a political man, you know that he is a threat to the secrecy of the cover-up but as a father, can you just be happy for me and support me on this one? All I ask is Nick’s safety, along with the friends surrounding him. That’s all.” She cried. Martin pulled her up. “I love him, Daddy. I’m willing to sacrifice the only man who can make me happy if only I can assure from you that he won’t be harmed again.” She stood face to face with her father. She hugged him.

“Do you really love him that much?”

Victoria nodded. “I’ve always envied the love that you had for my mother and I always prayed to experience that kind of love. Now that I have, I will do everything in my power to keep him safe, Dad. If you’re not going to grant me this very simple request, I don’t have any choice but to stand beside him. I left him because I only care about his safety. It’s my fault why he was shot. But if you won’t stop the threats of the underground society towards Nick, I will stand beside him. I don’t care about death threats anymore. I will die beside him if that’s what it takes.”

Martin drew a deep breath and stared at his daughter. He can see the determination on Victoria’s face to do what she told him. He will not doubt that she will stand by her words. She’s just like her mother.



~~~



“How is she? Mum?” William asked his mother as he was sitting alone under the tree near Balmoral Castle. His security was somewhere nearby. He doesn’t care. He’s calling his mother on his cellphone and he is very much worried about Victoria right now. He chose this place to be away from the people in the castle and to avoid from getting heard of.

“She broke up with Nick. She thinks that’s the only way to keep him from harm.” Alice replied on the other line.

“No way, Mum. She loves him. I can feel that she loves him.”

“Your sister is willing to sacrifice for the sake of the one she loves.”

“Oh, Victoria. Where is she?”

“In her room. She refused to talk to anyone after she spoke with her father last night. She insisted to talk with Dodi as soon as he arrived from the airport. My husband told me that Victoria requested to leave Nick alone and away from harm, including his friends. She made a bargain that she will never see Nick again as long as she was assured that there’ll be no more death threats to him again.” Alice sighed. “It’s hard, Wills. I can’t look at your sister being depressed and all that. She’s crying a lot and she barely eats.”

William rubbed the back of his neck and sighed. “I think that she should get back to Nick.”

“Maybe there’s another way.”

“Mum, this is the only way. Victoria cannot be happy and she will be devastated for the rest of her life if she can’t be with Nick. She suffered a lot since we were young. She never had the chance to be happy and be with someone who loves her so much. It was Nick who made her feel that, and more.”

“What is on your mind?”

William sighed as he finally made his decision. “I’m going there to see Nick.” He needs Harry’s help to be able to go to US without arousing suspicion.



~~~



Nick drew a deep breath as his hands gripped the railings of the tall gate. Biting his lower lip, he looked out through the large house he can see from the distance. “Victoria…”

The guards looked at each other as they watched him stood there for a long while now. There were orders that he shouldn’t be allowed to go in and see Mr. Martin Montague’s daughter, Victoria. It wondered them why since they can see that this is a good man and they have no problems with him. “Sir, you’re not just really allowed to go inside.” One of the security guars told Nick.

Nick nodded. He felt his brother’s hand on his shoulders.

“Maybe we can try again tomorrow, Nick.” Aaron said. He pitied his brother, seeing him so desperate to see Victoria but he couldn’t stop Nick on this. He tried once but his brother is too stubborn. And so, all he can do is to accompany Nick outside Victoria’s family estate and take his chances on see her. But they always failed. They have been doing this for three days now since Nick was relieved from the hospital. They went to Victoria’s house first but she wasn’t there. They went next to Victoria’s family estate and according to the guards, she is there but there were strict orders that he is not allowed to go inside and see her.

Nick turned to go back to their car. “They’re keeping her from me, Aaron.” He sadly said. “This is unfair.” He went inside the car just in time for Aaron to sit behind the wheel.

“Are we going back tomorrow, Nick?”

“No.” Nick sighed. “I’m going to take some time but I won’t give up. I will never give up on her. I have to talk to her and set things straight.”
Chapter 24 by scarlett

 

 

Nick scratched his head in confusion as the kids ran in front of him, dripping wet after coming from his pool. Brian came over for a visit and he brought Baylee along. Kristin also dropped by and she brought her nephew of whom instantly became friends with Brian’s son. The two kids joined Aaron at the pool while the others were at the living room and watching DVD. “Watch out for the floor. It’s slippery.” He called out to the little boys. He went to the kitchen to grab a floor mop and went to wipe the floor dry.

He heard the doorbell rang and AJ yelling out to wait. It must be the pizza, he thought, as he went down the hall towards the front door. He saw AJ’s back and talking to somebody. “Who is it?” He asked.

AJ glanced at him and then opened the door wider. Nick stopped when he saw Prince William at the front steps. “Geez, come inside before anyone sees you.” He frowned as he takes the mop back into the kitchen. He heard the cordial – and surprised – greetings at the living room when AJ introduced the newcomer. His friends asked William about his relation with Nick.

“I’m friends with Victoria.” William told them. “I’d like to speak with Nick.” he added just as Nick comes back.

“This is the way to my office.” Nick said as the prince followed him down the hall. The others who were left behind exchanged curious glances.

“What brings you here?” Nick asked as soon as he closed the door behind him. William is looking around the office and nodded appreciatively. The prince turned to him.

“It’s about my sister. You need to get back to her.”

“She doesn’t want me.”

“You know that’s not true.” William said. “You know that Victoria loves you and she did this to keep you safe. But I’m telling you, Nick. She’s nowhere near being happy when she made that decision. As much as she regretted it, she had to sacrifice. So that’s why I came here to tell you to go to her and bring her back.”

“I already tried that. They’re keeping her from me. I can’t even go through her family’s estate.” Nick said sadly. He sighed. “But I’m not giving up. Do you have any idea?”

“Yes.” William said with confidence. “All you have to do is to talk with her father. Sometimes, we tend to forget that the simplest thing is the easiest solution. You will talk to Dodi and clear out your intentions for Victoria. He is an overprotective father to Victoria. He protected her so much like she’s his own daughter.”

Nick nodded. “I just have to think of a way to get inside the estate.”

“I can help you with that too.”



~~~



“Where’s Victoria?” William asked when he saw Martin coming down the grand staircase.

“She’s upstairs,” Martin replied. “You didn’t tell that you’re coming, William. I should have asked someone to escort you from the airport.”

“There’s no need, sir. This is an emergency. By the way, I brought someone along with me.” William glanced to the door and urged Nick to come in. Martin was surprised to see him but didn’t say anything. “Forgive me if I broke your rule, Sir, but I believe that things must be settled. I love my sister and I’m doing this for her.” William added.

“May I speak with you then, Sir?” Nick asked. His face is full of uncertainty as he looked at this formidable man. That’s what Martin is for him. He’s always nervous around Victoria’s father.

Martin looked at him in a long time before taking him into the Sitting Room. Martin offered Nick some brandy but he refused to drink and thanked the older man instead. “I meant to talk to you about Victoria, Sir.”

“Of course. That’s why you’re here.” Martin replied. “I was surprised and I admit that I didn’t like your invasion to our privacy. I can sue you for that or worst, hired someone to keep you quiet for good although someone had almost did that already.”

Nick swallowed hard for what he just heard. Martin is a tough man who had connections everywhere. It is possible that he can seal his fate. But he had to fight for his love for Victoria. “I know, Sir, but I won’t regret what I did. I just did that because I love Victoria and I want to ease her troubles or whatever that’s bothering her. I know that she’s hiding something from me in which I cannot understand when we’re dating in London last year. I want to be with her and understand what she’s going through. I want to be with her through her joys and sufferings. I love her so much and I’m willing to take the bullet for her just to keep her safe.” Nick didn’t look away as he met the other man’s eyes. “The other thing I meant to tell you, Sir, is that I would like to inform you of my clear intentions towards your daughter. If she’ll let me, I’m going to marry her.”

“Nick?”

“Just like you, I want to spend my entire life loving the same woman and being beside her always, Sir. You can have me killed anytime you want but my good intentions were solely for Victoria. I want to protect her and be with her. If I have to prove it, I’ll do what it takes. I love her very much.”

Martin admired the courage of this young man and the risk he’s willing to take for his daughter. “You don’t know what you’re getting yourself into.” He said. “You will be in danger again, so is Victoria. I just wanted the best for her and for you. You won’t get into any harm if you leave right now and never see her again. I love my daughter and if this is hard for you and for her, it is for me and my wife too. You have to understand that we came to circumstances like this where we don’t have any control over our lives. You’re a famous man and I can’t risk my daughter to someone like you.”

“I beg to disagree. We live our own life and we control it, Sir. And it’s better to fight for our love than never at all.” Nick’s eyes met Martin’s. “I know that you loved your wife so much that you gave up your own life to live with her and start anew. It’s something that I know Victoria has been hoping for, and so do I. I longed for that love and I found my happiness with Victoria. I couldn’t imagine my life without her. I lived for her. I love her and I want to marry her. I’m going to take care of her. I will do everything for her. And I’m going to ask for your blessing to allow me to ask her to marry me and if she accepts, your guidance as her father.” Nick pondered a lot about his decision and came to a point that he is now ready to consider marriage. He wanted it and he wants Victoria. He loves her and he will do anything just to be with her, even if it takes for him to get through her strict father.

“What if I don’t give that to you?” Martin stood firm.

Nick drew a deep breath as a tear fell down from his face. “Then I guess you just don’t really love your daughter at all but yourself.”

End Notes:
please read and review. ;) mwah!
Chapter 25 by scarlett

 

Victoria finished her makeup and surveyed herself on the mirror. She needs to get out of her room and try to get on with her life. She's going back to her own house. She knows that Nick is trying to talk to her but he can't get through the security. She cried in joy when she learned that from the butler but even though she wanted to see him too, she made a promise not to. She walked out of her bathroom when she heard a knock on the door.

She was surprised to see her twin standing outside. "Wills! What are you doing here?"

"I'm your genie in the bottle, my darling sister." William smiled and kissed her on the cheeks. He embraced her. "Oh, god. I missed you, Vicky."

"I missed you too. And what do you mean by being the genie in the bottle?" She went out of the room and they walked down the hall.

"I've granted your wish, Vicky. Nick is downstairs talking with Dodi." William said. Just as he tells that, Victoria began to move but he quickly caught her arm. "Oops, just a moment. I need you to promise me something first."

"What?"

"You're going to break your promise to your father and you will fight for your love. Because you will be bloody damned if you don't give yourself the only happiness you could ever have."

Victoria stared at her brother. "Louis, that's hard. Nick will be threatened once again and -"

"Don't let everything that Nick's done for you downstairs go to waste. I think he's there talking and asking for your hand from Dodi. He took all the courage he had to face your father today." William said. He let go of her arm and watched as his sister quickly ran down the hall. "They are at the Sitting Room!" He yelled when Victoria loudly asked where Nick is. She never answered her promise but William knew that she will do just that.

Victoria's heart beats faster as she makes her way towards the Sitting Room. She missed Nick so much and she's very excited to see him again. She stopped when she reached the door and pressed her ears against it to listen to what is going on inside.

"... I couldn't imagine my life without her. I lived for her. I love her and I want to marry her. I'm going to take care of her. I will do everything for her. And I'm going to ask for your blessing to allow me to ask her to marry me and if she accepts, your guidance as her father." She heard Nick say. Oh, tears started to well up in her eyes but she firmly held it back. Her makeup. She had to look good when she faces Nick.

"What if I don't give that to you?" Her father replied. Oh, Dad. Don't make this hard for us. Victoria prayed.

There was silence after that and then she heard Nick reply. "Then I guess you just don't really love your daughter at all but yourself." Victoria gasped when he said that. That's just a wrong turn. She immediately opened the door just in time to see her father walking towards Nick. His fist hits the other man's face.

Dad! No, please."

The two men turned when they heard her. Nick is holding his jaw as he tries to get up from the floor. Victoria went to him and checked on him. She takes out her handkerchief and wiped off the blood from his mouth. She missed him. She missed these lips that she longed to kiss. She missed his presence in her life. She turned to her father. "I'm backing out from my promise, Dad. I won't let anyone get in the way of my happiness. I love Nick and I will never leave him again. I don't want to go through the agony of being separated from him again."

"That bastard has no respect for me, Victoria!"

Victoria stood beside Nick. "He didn't do it on purpose. Dad, he loves me. Can you just be happy for us?"

Nick held her hand to shush her. He turned to Martin. "Sir, I made a wrong remark on the last one. I came here with my good intentions of my love for your daughter. I love her and I know, you love her too. I understand that you both wanted our safety. I understand that we are in a complicated matter that neither of us has the power to change it but we can control our lives. I am a responsible person, Sir. I'm going to keep your secret up to my grave. I'm going to take care of your daughter too. All I'm asking now is your blessing to grace my decision to ask Victoria to marry me. There's nothing more I can ask for."

Victoria looked at the sincerity in Nick's eyes and found it really genuine. Her heart swelled with pride to witness him professing his love for her and trying to be brave against her father and his disagreement over him. She turned to other man, the only father she's known of and deeply loved. She respected and adored him. She longed to find a man who will love her as much as her father does to her mother. Nick is here and he's willing to risk his life for her, just to be with her. 

 

End Notes:
Have a blessed Thanksgiving everyone! Please read and review. ;)
Epilogue by scarlett

 

Not the Royal Girlfriend'

William grinned as he reads the story on the headlines in an old issue of the morning paper. Harry made the front page again - almost. Because this time, their secret sibling, Victoria, was assumed to be linked with Harry when paparazzi caught him dining in an exclusive restaurant in Los Angeles, California months ago. But it turned out that everything has been a wrong assumption and Victoria is actually currently dating a famous American celebrity. For the first time, Victoria's name reached the British headlines but only as part of what's happening in Harry's life. If they only knew, William thought. Sometimes he wondered what would be the world's reaction if they learn that there are actually twin heirs to the English crown. He wished things weren't so complicated. He longed for his twin, as much as he longed for his mother, but it would really be impossible.

"Her name shouldn't be linked with Harry's!" William heard his father's outburst when Charles saw him holding the newspaper. He just listened and didn't say anything. He already knows where the topic will lead to: creating another headline to divert media's attention from Victoria. Since she was linked to Harry, the paparazzi made a growing interest on her. William had a diversion: his wife is pregnant. But he's in the mood to irate his father more. He will only tell it to him later.

"The media will investigate on her private life -"

"Relax, Papa. I thought you did the best cover-up for that?" William interrupted his father. "If they investigate, they'll know that Victoria is a daughter of wealthy entrepreneurs in America, in which is actually her adoptive parents right now. Don't worry. I've met her parents and I know that they are very protective of Victoria." Because it's actually Mum and Dodi and they have to protect themselves too, William silently added to himself. Of course, Charles should not know about the 1997 car crash cover-up. William knows that his father has something to do with his mother's death threats before.

The two turned in surprise when the door of the private office suddenly opened and Victoria stormed in, followed by Donald, Charles' chief security.

"I'm sorry, Your Royal Highnesses. I told her that you cannot be disturbed on a private meeting but she still insisted and forced herself in here." Donald said and motioned the guards to take Victoria out. A group of policemen were already there at the entrance of the office.

"Don't touch me or else, everyone's going to regret what I got to say," Victoria said before anyone could reach her. She's standing firm to where she is, her head held up high and met her twin's and her father's look.

William cleared his throat and stood up from his chair. "It's alright. Leave us," he ordered the men. Although they were still concerned of their safety, they reluctantly followed the prince as William closed and locked the doors behind them. "Hi, Victoria." He greeted his twin after a few moments of silence.

"Hello, Louis," Victoria replied but her eyes rested on their father. "Same to you, Papa."

"I don't have a daughter. What do you want?" Charles asked instead. "What did you do to reach your way here?"

"Is that the way to greet your only daughter of whom you just met for the first time?"

"I don't have a daughter." Charles repeated.

Victoria rolled her eyes while William couldn't help but glare at their father. "And I don't have a scum of a father like you," His twin retorted. William wanted to cringe at his twin's hatred towards Charles. No one talks to the Prince of Wales like that. a33;I came here to tell you that this is a very historical day. It will be the first and the last time wea33;ll see each other. I'm throwing out the fact that you are my biological father. I'm not going after my right to be heir to the throne. I dona33;t want to belong in this family. Anyway, you had enough scandals to last you another one or two lifetimes and it will be just too pitiful if Ia33;d show up and expose to the world how have you been a a33;reala33; father to me, to William and Harry. Thata33;d be my most heartfelt dream of ruining you but unfortunately, Ia33;m not like you. Ia33;m not a bad person. I want to live in peace. I just came here to say thank you for being the reason of my very existence but thata33;s all.a33; She talked so fast that the two men were too astounded to speak.

Victoria nodded to her twin as her cue to leave. "I'm getting married. I'll send you my invitation, Wills, and if you can make it without any hassle, fine with me."

"Send my regards to my brother-in-law. I'm looking forward to meet Nick again."

"Yes. He's a wonderful man."

Charles laughed mockingly. "Foolishness. You're just like your Mum."

"Yes. I am, may God bless her. And so back off!" Victoria snapped which caught Charles in surprise. She turned back to William. "I know Nick loves me and so do I. Goodbye, twin brother." She kissed William on the cheeks then without a word to their father, she walked out of the office. William intends to follow his sister out but Charles called him.

"I don't think there's anything more important to talk about for now, Papa. If you will excuse me, I intend to follow and see my sister go even for the last time. And then, I'd like to go home to my wife. In case you didn't know, she is pregnant. Tell that to media and leave Harry and Victoria in peace." Then William left, leaving their bewildered father alone and pondering on the things he has done in the past.



~~~~



"Stop it right there," Victoria instructed her chauffeur when the car passed through the gates of Buckingham Palace. The driver followed his mistress and stopped by the Victoria Monument. She went out as soon as the car halted and walked over towards the man she saw standing among the people passing by. She can never miss that face even among the crowd.

"Are you following me?" She asked him. He casually stood there with hands on the pockets of his jeans.

Nick smiled and ran his fingers through his soft blonde hair. "I asked your Mom about your whereabouts. If I stalk you, are you going to sue me?"

"No." Victoria smiled. "But you didn't tell me that you're coming to London, too. You're supposed to be back home and helping the others prepare our wedding." On the day where Nick got into the estate through William's help, he tried so hard as to convince Martin of his clear intentions to protect and love Victoria with all his life. Victoria's father gave in and granted his blessing for them to marry. He even promised them that he will talk to the members of the underground society to protect Nick because he's going to be part of the family. The couple was very happy to hear that and they were grateful to Martin.

Nick rolled his eyes. "That's why we hired wedding planners, Victoria. And you know that I am with you wherever you are. I don't want you leaving again without me beside you. I'm going to impose that rule from now on." He takes her hand and kissed it. The engagement ring he gave her is shining brightly against the sunlight. He looked at her and bents down to kiss her on the lips. He looked around. "Well, this is the city where we first met and it's very memorable to me. So, how did it go with your father?" Nick asked her. Victoria drew a deep breath as she glanced back to the palace where she's been to. Somehow, she thought she saw her father looking through one of those windows.

Nick leaned closer to kiss her on the lips. "You're perfectly fit to be this country's princess. Then I'll never get to know you. I'll probably be meeting another woman instead, but not as wonderful as you." He whispered to her. "Then my heart will be broken again until I finally found the woman who loves me as I am and never cared who and what I did while you, will keep up on those royal engagements. And if it happens that way, the royal family will have bigger problems of whom between you and William should be the next sovereign." Nick shrugged. He wrapped his arms around her waist. "Then I'll just stare on the sidelines, watching you and I don't even care." He looked down at her, gazing lovingly at her beautiful face. "Because I don't give a damn about royalty, Victoria. We may even meet but I don't care if you're a princess or not. If that happens, I will never be able to find the true love and only happiness that I only found in you."

Victoria's eyes blurred from the tears that are tempting to fall in any moment soon. Nick gently wiped it dry. She shook her head. "Nah. I'll never be like that. I just came to see him for the first and last time and gave up my claim to the throne. I don't have any plans of ruining my own life because I intend to start anew, and you're going to be on it." They kissed once again. But this time, with such longing and passion that Victoria thought Nick is the very air she breathes. They didn't mind that they are in the middle of a park and there were people passing by and now casting them curious glances.

"I highly approve of your decision," Nick said after a while of kissing her. "No matter how painful you had in the past, let me have the chance to give you the joys of a good life with me in the years to come, Victoria."

Victoria stared at him. "Do you remember back when I toured you in the Tower of London and mentioned to me about believing in destiny? I said that I didn't know you still believed in destiny, Nick. And I thought by then that things happen for a reason. Meeting you is one of the best things that ever happened to me. I love you." They kissed again.

"I love you, Victoria. I promise you, in front of your great-great-great grandmother, that I'll love you, honor and cherish you for the rest of our lives."

"You're corny, Nick!" Victoria laughed as she glanced at the monument and hugged him. "Anyway, did you know that I'm so happy right now? I want to scream!" And she said it really loud. Nick laughed. He pulled her in an embrace again. "I felt so happy, and I felt so free. I'm glad that I'm here and not there." She pointed the Buckingham Palace. It stands so majestic in its bright light colors at that time of the day.

"Me, too." They kissed once again. "So, princess, are you ready to be my wife?"

"Yes," Victoria instantly replied and met his waiting lips with a tantalizing kiss of so much hunger and passion. The people around who's been watching and had their attention on them clapped their hands and cheered. Nick closed his eyes and embraced Victoria closer, and much closer to his heart. Because she's the one. They've beaten the odds along the way. In the future, he knew that he will be holding her hand as they stood beside each other to brace whatever obstacle they will meet along the way - against all odds. Softly, he heard her sigh. "Forever I'm yours, Nick."

"And I, to you."

 

 

End Notes:
Thank you for reading! ;)
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=7838