Chapter One by nicksgal
Summary: There's a summary, I just forgot what it was... Sound familiar. :lol:

I'll post that next time.

This is esentially historical fiction, enjoy. It is written from the point of a fourteen/thirteen year old what's up so far though, so... Sorry about that.

A note from 2021: Hello! This is unlikely to ever be updated (I originally began writing it in 2002ish), but please feel free to read and enjoy what is there!
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Brian, Howie, Kevin
Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 5634 Read: 4393 Published: 06/07/06 Updated: 06/07/06

1. Chapter One by nicksgal

2. Chapter Two by nicksgal

3. Chapter Three by nicksgal

4. Chapter Four by nicksgal

Chapter One by nicksgal
I laughed at Nick’s own version of “Faithfully” as he sang on my phone.

“Oh Darla, you stand by me, I’m forever yours faithfully…” Nick sang.

I laughed again.

“How was that?” Nick asked

“I loved it,” I answered.

“Good,” Nick replied, “Cuz it could’ve been a lot worse.”

“Oh,” I sympathized, “I never said it was bad.”

“Sure,” Nick replied in sarcasm.

“No, it was really good, I swear,” I told him.

“No, no, I know you’re lying,” Nick disagreed.

“He’s got the thoughts of a rock-star and his feet aren’t even off the ground yet,” I said to myself and whoever else was listening.

“At least I don’t have an ego!” Nick exclaimed.

I laughed.

“Of all people, you’re the egotistical one,” Nick told me, in a joking tone.

“That wasn’t nice,” I told him.

Nick laughed.

“I love you too,” I told him.

“I know, cuz it’s just so hard not too,” Nick joked.

I laughed with him.

It was the year 1993. Early into my relationship with the now famous heartthrob Backstreet Boy. It was recently after Nick’s “Star Search” appearance, and he was pretty quiet about it. We joked that if it had been me, I would tell everyone. And of course, as anyone who knows me knows, I would. Grunge was heavily in rotation, except for the occasional danceable pop hits of current boy group, New Kids, and the R&B styles of Boyz II Men. But like I said, that was only occasional. I was probably one of the few people who was sick of grunge, being a dancer and all, I mean, even Nick liked it. Yes, I could stand it. Yes, I listen to it. But, I never said I favored it. I would rather have more New Kids and Boyz II Men and groups like that, with the occasional grunge. But, being 13, who listens to me anyway? Exactly, nobody. Compact disks, called CDs, were also pretty current. They were the cool thing to have, like a little record. They came out the year I was born, 1980. MTV was also pretty popular, only the groups with style got on, but that came out in 1981. I’ve been watching it since I was 4, back when it was only the music videos. Ed McMahon’s “Star Search” and Dick Clark’s “American Bandstand,” which actually seemed to be on its last leg, were rightfully popular. I mean, only the cool people got on, the ones with talent; I’m not mentioning any names… Nick. But, that’s pretty much what life was like growing up in the ‘90’s, pretty cool, pretty interesting, but for me, it was only the beginning…

“Hey Darla?” Nick asked.

“Huh?” I questioned.

“Do you wanna come with me to my audition today?” Nick asked.

“You bet,” I exclaimed, “When is it?”

“We’ll pick you up at two,” Nick told me.

“That works,” I told him, “Wait, let me ask my mom.”

“Ok,” Nick agreed.

“Mom!” I called down the stairs.

“What Darla?” my mom called back.

“Can I go to Nick’s audition with him today?” I asked.

“When is it?” my mom questioned.

“Nick will be here around two,” I told her.

“Alright,” my mom agreed, “Just don’t stay there too long, come home when Nick’s done.”

“Thanks!” I called.

“Good,” Nick told me, “Cuz if you couldn’t come I would die.”

“Oh, I’m sure you wouldn’t die,” I replied.

“No,” Nick disagreed, “I would fall over on the floor and then I’d be dead.”

We laughed.

“Ok, so I’ll see you in two hours,” I told Nick.

“I don’t know what I’ll do,” Nick replied, “I’ll probably die of boredom before then.”

“No,” I disagreed, “it’s only two hours, I think you’ll be all right.”

“But there’s nothing to do,” Nick whined.

“Go eat,” I suggested.

“Speaking of food,” Nick started, “What time is it?”

“Noon,” I answered.

“Oh, yes!” Nick exclaimed.

“What?” I asked.

“I have something to do until one!” Nick exclaimed.

“What are you gonna do at one?” I asked.

“Probably watch some TV show, or some videos,” Nick answered, “I only have to keep myself busy until one-thirty, then we have to leave to pick you up.”

“See,” I replied, “I told you it wouldn’t be so bad.”

“No, I said that to you,” Nick disagreed.

We laughed.

“Alright, I’d better go,” Nick told me.

I sighed.

“Don’t worry Darla,” Nick told me, then mimicked, “It’s only two hours.”

We laughed again.

“Alright, see you later,” Nick told me.

“Alright, laters,” I told him.

Nick then hung up the phone.

I sat for a minute with the phone in my hand. Today, I was going to yet another of Nick’s many auditions. I hoped that maybe, just maybe, this would finally be Nick’s big break. I always hoped and prayed that he would finally make it, because he definitely had the talent and he was better than most.

“Darla!” my mom called.

“Coming,” I replied as I put the phone back to its receiver.
Chapter Two by nicksgal
Sometime around two my home’s doorbell rang, multiple times.

“I’m coming, I’m coming,” I told the person at the door.

I opened the door to an awaiting Nick.

“Hey Darla,” Nick greeted.

“Hi hun,” I replied.

I gave Nick a kiss on the cheek, because my mom was watching. And you know how mother’s can be. Nick smiled. My mom then noticed Nick’s mom was standing behind him.

“So Jane,” my mom asked Nick’s mom, “What’s this lovely audition today?”

“Why don’t you tell her about it, Nick?” Nick’s mom suggested.

“Ok,” Nick agreed.

I smiled because it was always fun to hear about what Nick was doing.

“Well,” Nick started, “It’s an audition for a new boy group, that’s what they’re called…”

“Like New Kids?” I interrupted.

“Yes, like New Kids,” Nick shook his head as he answered.

“Well, I think that’s great,” my mother congratulated.

“Are those guys gonna be there,” I asked, “You know, the one that carries the briefcase, and the one that needs to de-fro his fro?”

“You mean AJ and Howie?” Nick asked.

“Yes,” I answered, “the briefcase man and the one who needs a de-fro.”

“AJ,” Nick told me, “and Howie.”

“Yeah,” I replied, “The briefcase…”

“AJ and Howie,” Nick interrupted.

“Why do you keep saying that,” I whined.

“That’s their names,” Nick explained.

“They have names?” I asked.

Nick, his mom, and my mom all laughed at me.

“Oh, don’t do that,” I whined.

“If you would pay attention you’d know their names,” Nick told me, “I did introduce you.”

“Ok, now, who?” I asked.

“Your so called “briefcase man” is AJ,” Nick answered, “and the one who supposedly needs a “de-fro” is Howie.”

“Ok,” I replied, “AJ is briefcase man and Howie needs a de-fro.”

“Right,” Nick told me, “But don’t tell them that.”

We laughed.

“Alright, you’d better get out of here,” my mom told us, “Or Nick will miss his audition.”

I nodded.

“Bye mom,” I told her.

“Bye Darla’s mom,” Nick joked.

My mom smiled as we left. When we got in the car I decided to ask Nick more about the audition.

“So, tell me more about this boy group audition,” I asked.

“Alright, it’s for ages 15 to 22…” Nick started.

“You’re only 13,” I interrupted, “You have a better chance of being in the MMC.”

“I know, but this would be better for me,” Nick explained, “And I called to ask about it because I wasn’t in the age range.”

“What happened?” I asked, interested.

“Well, they told me that I needed to have Marianne call and talk to them,” Nick explained, “so I left my name and went to call her.”

Nick didn’t need to call his vocal coach by her full name, Marianne Prinkey, because it was such a common name to me. I’d even met her once or twice. I nodded to show Nick to continue.

“So I called Marianne and she was proud to see me not only try out for the MMC, but to try to go for an opportunity such as this,” Nick continued, “She told me she would definitely call.”

“What happened next?” I asked.

“If you didn’t interrupt me all the time you wouldn’t have to ask,” Nick told me with a grin on his face.

I smiled back.

“So anyway, she called and gave them her recommendation and a list of other people who could also verify that I had talent,” Nick continued, “she also mentioned that I had a recent “Star Search” and that gave me bonus points.”

“So?” I asked.

“So, they called back and I was personally invited to audition,” Nick finished.

“That’s great!” I exclaimed.

Nick nodded his head.

“So, what’s your audition piece?” I asked.

“I brought a couple,” Nick told me.

“And they are?” I asked.

“Well, I figured that I wanted to get the point across that I sing a variety,” Nick explained, “So I brought New Kids’ “Hangin’ Tough,” just for you…”

“Aww, thank you,” I smiled.

Nick smiled back and began the rest of his list, “Boyz II Men’s “End Of The Road,” Shai’s “If I Ever Fall In Love,” and Journey’s “Open Arms.’”

“Well, I think you’re gonna do great and everybody’s gonna want you to be in this new boy group,” I told him.

“Don’t say that,” Nick told me, “I’m gonna be nervous and then I won’t get it.”

“Ok, then I hope you do good,” I told him and kissed his cheek.

“That’s better,” Nick replied.

At that moment Nick’s mom pulled up to the building.

“We’re here,” Nick exclaimed, “Look, there’s AJ!”

“Briefcase man!” I exclaimed.

Nick rolled down his window and yelled, “Hey AJ, wait up!”

AJ turned around to see who was calling him. Nick jumped out of the car and ran to catch up with him. I had to follow pretty fast, so as not to get left behind.

“Hey Nicky!” AJ greeted.

“Hey,” Nick replied.

At that point I ran up.

“And the infamous girlfriend,” AJ added.

“Yup, I brought Darla,” Nick replied.

“He said I was evil,” I whined.

“No, you’re well known, I just forgot what the word is,” AJ explained.

“I’m not evil,” I whined.

“You’re as bad as Nick,” AJ explained.

“I don’t whine,” Nick whined.

AJ laughed, “C’mon, Donetti said he was here ages ago, we gotta go in and meet up with him.”

We all walked into the audition hall together.

“And this is the place where me and Nicky are gonna make it into the brand new boy group,” AJ announced.

“How may times do I have to tell you guys that I hate when you do that, it makes me nervous,” Nick complained.

“Jeez Nicky, tense or something?” AJ asked.

“No, just don’t make me nervous and I’ll be fine,” Nick told him.

AJ nodded his head.

We reached the auditioning room and saw Howie.

“Donetti!” AJ exclaimed as we entered.

“Hi AJ, Nick, Darla,” Howie greeted.

“He didn’t call me infamous,” I whispered to Nick.

Nick laughed.

“Was it something I said?” Howie asked.

“No, sorry, wasn’t laughing at you,” Nick explained.

Howie nodded his head. AJ, Nick, and I sat down and joined Howie in the wait for each of their auditions.

“Do you think it’ll be ok?” Nick asked me.

“Don’t worry hun,” I told him, “I know so.”

Nick leaned in to kiss me. He always said I was his good luck charm. I smiled.

A boy leaned over to Nick and asked, “Are you gay?”

Nick ignored the boy and kissed me again.

“Hey you!” the boy exclaimed at Nick.

Nick thought that it was one of the people running the audition and jumped.

“I’m…” he started to apologize, but then realized that it was just another one of the boys in the room.

“Are you gay?” the boy asked Nick again.

“Wha?” Nick asked.

“Are you gay?” the boy repeated.

AJ started laughing.

Nick took this point to make AJ laugh even harder and make a joke out of what the boy had said.

“Oh yeah,” Nick answered rolling his eyes, “I date this guy right here. He’s 5’2”, weighs 104, and wears a mini skirt.”

Nick’s plan worked and AJ laughed even harder. Even Howie and I couldn’t help but smile.

The boy was taken aback, “I’m sorry, it’s just, this is an audition for a boy group…”

“Not everybody is here to audition,” Nick pointed out.

The boy sat silent for a minute.

“That’s what I thought,” Nick answered himself.

I giggled. Nick smiled.

“I’ll be right back,” Howie said as he got up.

AJ, Nick, and I sat there for a minute until Howie returned.

“None of us are going for a while,” Howie told Nick and AJ, “So I was thinking that we all might wanna leave, get a new atmosphere.”

“Howie, you’re a genius,” Nick told him.

“Where do you wanna go?” AJ asked.

“Let’s just go exploring,” Nick suggested.

“Sounds good to me,” Howie agreed.

“Let’s go!” AJ exclaimed.

The four of us got up and left the room. We walked out into the hall; it was empty. We wandered around for five minutes, until we found a vending machine.

“Cool!” Nick exclaimed.

“Sweet, let’s all buy some sodas,” AJ announced.

The three boys pulled their wallets out of their pockets. AJ purchased a bottled Cherry Coke. Howie got a canned Coke. Nick stood for a minute, starring at the machines.

“Dazed, Nick?” I asked.

“Aww no, I can’t decide what to get,” Nick answered.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“Coke or Cherry Coke,” Nick explained.

“Get a Coke,” I told him.

Nick put in his dollar and pushed the Coke button. He smiled as he did it.

“Do you want anything?” Nick asked.

“Sure,” I answered.

“Canned Sprite?” Nick asked.

I nodded. Nick handed me my Sprite and I stood there holding it. AJ and Howie stood chatting about what they might do if they got in the boy group.

“I think I might throw a party,” AJ announced.

Howie laughed.

“I’ll probably have to get a tutor,” Nick put out.

The boys laughed. At that moment, two other boys walked down the hall toward the vending machines.

“Hey,” one of the boys greeted.

Nick smiled.

“Is it ok if we talk to you?” the other asked.

“Sure,” Howie answered, “We don’t mind.”

“That’s cool,” the first boy replied.

The other smiled.

“I’m Howie,” Howie greeted.

“I’m AJ,” AJ told them.

“And that’s Nick and his girl Darla,” Howie finished.

“I’m Sam Licata,” the first boy introduced, “And this is Charles Edwards.”

Charles smiled.

“So,” AJ started, “What brings you two here?”

“Boy group audition,” Sam answered as he bought a bottled Coke.

“What about you?” Charles asked, as he also got a bottled Coke.

“Boy group audition,” Nick answered.

“Very cool!” Charles exclaimed.

Sam looked around the hall.

“Well, we’d better go,” he told us.

We nodded.

“Bye,” Sam and Charles called as they left, “See you guys later.”

Howie and AJ waved goodbye to them.

“They seemed nice,” Howie commented, “Don’t you think?”

“Yeah,” AJ agreed.

Nick nodded. Howie looked around the hall.

“We should probably go, too,” he suggested.

“Yeah, probably,” AJ agreed.

“On back to our jackets and the evil guy who should just mind his own business,” Nick laughed.

We all laughed as we walked down the hall.
Chapter Three by nicksgal
Half an hour later, we were still wandering the halls. I had seen the gray, unfeeling walls more times than I could tell you; I had also seen the blue, purple, red, and green impressionist painting more than enough times. We were approaching it again.

“This is the hundredth time we’ve seen that hideous thing!” Nick exclaimed.

“Where are we?” Howie asked.

“Who knows,” AJ replied, looking down a hallway.

“We are so lost,” Howie commented.

“It was your idea to leave,” Nick pointed out.

“It was your idea to go exploring,” Howie argued.

Howie and Nick then started to argue about whose fault it was that they were lost. At that moment, AJ continued to look down that hallway. He suddenly started walking.

“AJ!” I called, running after him.

Nick and Howie were still arguing, suddenly, Nick noticed my absence. He looked down the hall.

“Darla!” he exclaimed, running after me.

Howie followed.

“Where are we going?” Howie asked.

“A way we haven’t gone,” AJ answered.

“And why is that?” Nick asked.

“Because we might actually get back this time,” AJ answered.

“I’m actually really glad you turned this way AJ,” I told him.

“Why?” AJ asked.

“Because I was getting tired of looking at that painting,” I answered.

“Oh I know,” Nick agreed, “It was like six different colors. God it was so ugly!”

“Actually Nick, it was four,” Howie corrected.

“Whatever, it’s the same thing,” Nick replied.

“No…” Howie disagreed.

Nick and Howie then stopped to have an argument about the painting.

“Stop!” AJ exclaimed.

Nick and Howie turned to look at him.

“We are getting no where by arguing about this painting,” AJ explained.

“Yeah, but Howie had to correct me,” Nick whined.

“Nick got it wrong in the first place,” Howie complained.

Nick and Howie then started another argument.

“Stop, just stop,” AJ told them, “Nick kiss Darla or something and stop arguing with Howie.”

“Alright, AJ, if you insist…” Nick leaned over and kissed me.

“Nick…” I laughed.

“AJ told me to do it!” Nick exclaimed, pointing a finger.

We laughed.

“Ya know, I wish we’d gone with those Sam and Charles guys,” Howie put out, “They seemed to know where they were going.”

“Yeah…” Nick agreed.

“Finally, they agree on something!” I announced.

“Not like it matters or anything,” AJ told me.

“I know,” I replied, “But it’s a break-through.”

AJ laughed.

“I wonder where they are…” Nick thought.

“Nick, they’re back in the room safe and sound,” I told him.

“We should’ve gone with them,” Howie pointed out, “Then we’d be back by now.”

“Like I said before…” AJ started.

“Not like it matters or anything,” he and I said together.

We laughed.

“Lordy, Lordy, Lordy,” Nick said, shaking his head.

“What?” I asked.

“You’re supposed to do that with me, not AJ!” Nick exclaimed.

“Jeez Nick,” I paused.

“Sure Nick, take your girlfriend back, I don’t want her…”

“Thanks AJ,” I interrupted.

“…I have one,” AJ finished.

“Oh… Nevermind,” I corrected, “Really?”

“Yeah. Nick’s not the only one with a girl,” AJ answered.

“I have one too,” Howie agreed.

“Wow! This is news to my ears… Nick did you know that?” I asked.

“I figured,” he answered.

Howie started humming until we turned a corner. Nick gasped.

“What?” AJ asked.

“It’s back,” Nick told us, pointing at the painting.

“Oh for crying out loud!” I exclaimed.

“What?” Nick asked.

“We’re never, ever, ever gonna get away from it!” I exclaimed.

“Doesn’t seem like it,” Howie agreed.

I shook my head and sighed.

“If my mom finds out about this…” I started.

“We won’t tell her,” Nick quieted me.

“She knows… Sometimes, she just knows…” I replied.

“Well this time she won’t,” Nick told me.

“Are you sure?” I asked.

“Yes!” Nick exclaimed.

“Ok…” I replied as AJ turned down another hallway.

“Where are we going now?” Howie asked.

“Another way we haven’t gone,” AJ answered.

“We’re gonna like be here forever, huh?” I asked.

“I hope not,” Nick answered.

“I doubt it,” Howie agreed.

“If we can not go by the painting for five minutes, I’d say this way is a success,” AJ agreed.

“Ok, who’s timing?” I asked.

“I will,” Nick volunteered, pulling out his watch.

“Let’s go this way,” AJ pointed, turning left.

“5 seconds, 5 seconds, 5, seconds, 5 seconds,” Nick counted.

“Stop him now! Please!” Howie exclaimed.

“6 seconds, 6 seconds, 6 seconds…” Nick continued.

“Nick…” I started.

“Can’t talk now,” he rushed, “7 seconds, 7 seconds, 7 seconds…”

Howie put his hands to his head and looked ready to scream.

“I’m sorry, I tried. He won’t listen to me either,” I explained.

AJ shook his head.

“You know what helps?” I asked.

“What?” Howie questioned.

“Take a deep breath and count to ten… Or sixty, then a second has gone by…” I started.

“10 is good, 10 is good,” Howie told me.

“9 seconds, 9 seconds, 9 seconds…” Nick continued.

“What happened to eight, Nick?” AJ asked.

“Can’t talk now, counting,” Nick told him, “10 seconds, 10 seconds, 10 seconds…”

“Ok, I’m taking a breath and counting to 10,” Howie announced.

“Fabulous!” I exclaimed, clapping my hands.

Howie took a breath and was silent for a while.

“How does that feel?” I asked.

“Better, thank you,” Howie answered.

“11 seconds, 11 seconds, 11 seconds…” Nick continued.

“Oh boy, this is gonna be a long five minutes…” I sighed.

“I just got a good idea,” Howie announced.

“Ok?” AJ asked.

“Let’s sing a song, that way, the five minutes will go by faster,” Howie answered, then dropped his voice, “And Nick will stop talking.”

“I know!” Nick exclaimed.

“What?” Howie asked.

Nick looked at his watch, “13 seconds… Anyway, let’s sing ‘If You’re Happy And You Know It Clap Your Hands’, it’s one of my favorites!”

“I think it’s just ‘If You’re Happy And You Know It’, Nick,” I corrected.

“14 seconds,” Nick started looking at his watch, “Whatever.”

“Will you stop monitoring the time?” Howie asked.

“Sure!” Nick exclaimed.

“Alright, then we can sing it,” Howie agreed.

“Great!” Nick exclaimed.

“Here we go Howie,” I told him, laughing.

“If you’re happy and you know it clap your hands!” Nick sang at the top of his lungs.

I laughed again.

“If you’re… oh yeah,” Nick stopped and clapped his hands, “wait! Start over!”

I continued to laugh at Nick.

He repeated the same part over and over and over again, because every time, he forgot to clap his hands.

“Nick, do you want support?” I asker laughing.

“What?” Nick questioned.

“Do you want someone else to sing with you?” I asked.

“Ok!” Nick smiled.

“I’ll sing too,” Howie volunteered.

“I would, but I gotta keep track of where we’re going,” AJ explained, “Sorry.”

Nick looked at his watch, “It’s been one minute! We might make it!”

“Great…” Howie paused.

“Let’s sing some more!” Nick explained.

“If you’re happy and you know it clap your hands,” the three of us sang, then clapped our hands.

We went through the whole song, until two more minutes ha passed by.

“Let’s sing another song,” I suggested.

Nick linked arms with me and motioned me to link arms with Howie.

“You be Dorothy,” Nick instructed, “I’ll be the scarecrow and Howie can be the Tin Man.”

“You’d make a better Cowardly Lion, Nick,” AJ laughed.

“Well, unless you’re gonna sing with us, I’m the Scarecrow!” Nick exclaimed.

“Fine, fine, fine, whatever,” AJ replied.

“We’re off to see the wizard…” I started.

“The wonderful wizard of Oz!” Howie and Nick sang.

We started skipping down the hall, following AJ and singing the song.

We went through it twice when Nick couldn’t think of the words.

“Because, because, because of the wonderful things he does… What’s next Howie?” Nick asked.

“I don’t know,” Howie told him.

“Howie?” Nick asked.

“I’m serious!” Howie exclaimed.

“Ok, if you’re sure…” Nick replied.

“Let’s sing another song!” I rushed.

“Let’s sing, ‘If You’re Happy And You’…” Nick started.

“No!” Howie and I exclaimed.

“Ok, fine… Have it your way,” Nick stuck his tongue out.

“At Burger King,” Howie finished.

I laughed, again.

“Let’s sing the Mac Daddy’s song!” AJ exclaimed.

“No way! Besides, you’re concentrating on where we’re going, remember?” I asked.

“Fine,” AJ grumbled.

I laughed.

“Look!” Howie exclaimed, putting his head up.

“What?” I asked.

“It’s the door to the room!” AJ exclaimed with him.

“Oh we’re back!” Nick exclaimed, then looked at his watch,” Ooh, five minutes…”

“AJ, you’re a genius,” I told him as we walked into the room.
Chapter Four by nicksgal
“What time is it?” Howie asked.

AJ looked at his watch and answered, “Four.”

“How much longer do we have to be here?” Howie asked.

A woman then walked into the room.

“Tony Donetti?” she asked.

“That’s me!” Howie exclaimed.

The woman nodded, and Howie got up.

“See you guys later,” Howie told us, “Good luck, Nick and AJ.”

Nick nodded.

“See ya Donetti,” AJ said as Howie left.

“How long do you think we’ll be here?” Nick asked AJ.

“I’m not sure,” AJ answered.

Nick nodded and leaned his head back on the wall. I’m not sure how long we sat there, it seemed like ages. We asked AJ what time it was almost a hundred times. The woman walked in again for like the millionth time.

“Nick Carter?” she asked.

“That’s me!” Nick told her.

The woman nodded. Nick kissed me, seeming to say goodbye.

“I’ll be back,” Nick told me.

I nodded.

“Good luck AJ,” Nick told him.

AJ nodded his head. Nick then left the room. I sat quiet for almost an eternity.

“What’s eatin’ ya, Darla?” AJ asked.

“Nothing,” I answered.

“No, what’s wrong?” AJ asked.

“Do you think Nick will do good?” I asked AJ.

“Knowing Nick,” AJ answered, “He’ll be the first person they decide to put in the band. He’ll blow the rest of us outta the water.”

“Are you sure?” I asked.

“You know Nick better than me,” AJ answered, “You tell me.”

“He made it on to “Star Search,’” I told AJ.

“See, only talented people make it,” AJ replied, “Nick should do real good.”

“Are you sure?” I asked.

“Will it make you feel better if I ask the people here if they’ve been on “Star Search?’” AJ asked.

I nodded my head and AJ got up.

“Can I ask y’all a question?” AJ asked the boys in the room.

A chorus of “Oks” came up.

“Have any of you ever been on “Star Search?’” AJ asked.

Only a handful of boys answered “yes” or nodded their heads. As AJ sat down, I overheard a mother tell her son that AJ just wanted to make himself feel good before the audition.

“See?” AJ asked.

“Ok, I guess,” I replied.

I got up and went over to the mother.

“Excuse me?” I asked her.

“Yes?” the mother asked.

“My friend wasn’t trying to make himself feel good before his audition,” I told her, “I just thought I’d let you know that.”

“Then why was he asking,” the mother asked, “That can break boys’ dreams, you know.”

“He was trying to reassure me,” I answered.

“You can’t possibly be trying out,” the woman told me, “You’re a girl.”

“I know,” I answered.

“Then why was he reassuring you?” the mother asked.

“My boyfriend’s in there,” I told her, “He really deserves this.”

“Not as much as my son,” the mother replied haughtily.

I walked away kicking my feet. People in the entertainment business can be so cruel.

Five minutes later Nick returned to me with a grin on his face.

“How’d it go?” I asked.

“Really well,” Nick told me.

Nick gave me a kiss on the cheek. The mother I had talked to earlier walked over.

“Excuse me?” she asked, tapping Nick on the shoulder.

“Yeah?” Nick asked.

“Are you this girl’s boyfriend?” she asked.

“Yeah,” Nick answered.

“You’re really short,” she told him, “How old are you.”

“I’m 13,” Nick answered, “But I don’t know what my height has to do with it.”

“The audition is 15 to 22,” the mother told him.

“I know,” Nick answered.

“You shouldn’t be here,” the mother told him, “What did you do, lie about your age?”

“No, I was invited to audition,” Nick answered.

“You’re below the age range, why did they let you come?” the mother asked.

“Because I can sing really well, Marianne told them,” Nick answered.

“Who?” the mother asked.

“My vocal coach,” Nick answered.

“If you were below the range, why did your coach talk to them?” the mother asked.

“Because I can sing,” Nick told her.

“Anybody can sing,” she replied.

“Yeah, but Nick sings well,” I told her, “In fact, he’s better than well, he great!”

This woman aggravated me, and not only Nick, but AJ as well, could tell. AJ got up out of his seat.

“Calm down girl,” AJ told me.

I shook my head.

“Ok,” Nick asked, “I’ll prove to you that I can sing. What do you want me to do?”

“Sing the song you prepared for this audition,” the mother answered.

“I prepared several,” Nick told her.

“Sing the one you performed,” the mother told him.

Nick nodded his head and drew in a breath.

“How much?” he asked.

“As much as you want,” the mother answered.

Nick nodded his head and went to his chair. He grabbed his CD player and speakers out of his jacket pocket. He grabbed his “Escape” album and put it in his player; finding “Open Arms” and pausing it.

“When do you want me to start?” Nick asked.

“Whenever,” the mother answered.

Nick took a breath and handed me his player. He nodded his head and I pressed play. Nick waited for the intro to finish, then he sang. I listened to his voice and Steve Perry’s. They matched exactly, and I knew Nick was really singing. When the song finished, I stopped it. Nick had gotten every note perfect, and I knew then that he would have a good chance at this new boy group, a better chance than most. Some of the boys had crowded around, listening to their competition.

“He’s not 13, he has to be in his 20’s,” one of the boys said.

The mother looked at Nick for a minute.

“I don’t believe you did that,” she told Nick.

“I did,” Nick told her.

“I want you to sing again,” the mother told him.

“Ok,” Nick answered turning his CD player back to “Open Arms.”

“Except,” the mother started, “I pick the song and you sing it a cappella.”

“I can do that,” Nick told her.

“Sing The Temptation’s “My Girl,’” she told Nick.

“AJ?” Nick asked.

“Yeah Nicky?” AJ asked.

“You gonna back me up?” Nick asked.

“Yeah,” AJ answered.

Nick took a breath and snapped his fingers a couple of times.

“When do you want me to start?” Nick asked.

“When you’re ready,” the mother told him.

Nick nodded.

“Can I sing a few chords first?” Nick asked.

“If you must,” the mother answered.

Nick sang a few chords to re-tune his voice.

“Ok, you ready AJ?” Nick asked.

AJ nodded. The boys both started out on the a cappella notes, then Nick sang the words. A lot of the boys who came over were taken aback by Nick’s voice. They thought the same thing I had thought when I first heard him sing, ‘How can a boy so small and young have such a powerful voice?’ When Nick finished one of the boys turned to him.

“How old are you?” he asked, although everyone had heard that he was only 13.

“I’m 13,” Nick answered.

“How come you sound like that,” another boy asked, “I’m 16 and I don’t even sound like that.”

“I use my diaphragm,” Nick answered and pushed the place where it was.

The boy nodded.

Nick then turned to the mother and asked, “Can I go now?”

“You may go,” the mother told him.

“Thank you,” Nick said as put on his jacket, then grabbed my hand.

I waved goodbye to the boys as I put on my jacket and followed Nick.

“That was great!” I told Nick.

“I didn’t like her,” Nick told me as we walked to the payphones.

I nodded my head as Nick dialed his mom’s number. It was now around six thirty and I didn’t know about Nick, but I wanted to go home. As soon as Nick finished calling his mom, we sat on the curb and waited for her to come. Nick put Boyz II Men in his player as he changed the speakers to headphones. Nick gave me one of the headphones so that I could listen with him. We sat in the dark with the rain drizzling on us, warm in our jackets. I sat my hand on the curb. Nick put his hand on top of mine and cupped it. I leaned my head on Nick’s shoulder and listened to the music take over the sound of the world.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=7857