More Than That by Andro
Summary: "I will love you more than that. I won't say the words then take them back. Don't give loneliness a chance. Baby listen to me when I say I will love you more than that."

Roslyn Bushman wants that song to come true for her. Being verbally, emotionally, and physically abused by her boyfriend, Rob, has worn a hole in her soul deeper than she ever imagined...and ultimately claimed her life. Can Roslyn, with the help of a handful of special people, find happiness and love again...before it's too late?






Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Nick
Genres: Action, Angst, Drama, Suspense
Warnings: Death, Domestic Violence, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: No Word count: 46503 Read: 57172 Published: 06/13/06 Updated: 09/26/06

1. Chapter 1 by Andro

2. Chapter 2 by Andro

3. Chapter 3 by Andro

4. Chapter 4 by Andro

5. Chapter 5 by Andro

6. Chapter 6 by Andro

7. Chapter 7 by Andro

8. Chapter 8 by Andro

9. Chapter 9 by Andro

10. Chapter 10 by Andro

11. Chapter 11 by Andro

12. Chapter 12 by Andro

13. Chapter 13 by Andro

14. Chapter 14 by Andro

15. Chapter 15 by Andro

16. Chapter 16 by Andro

17. Chapter 17 by Andro

18. Chapter 18 by Andro

19. Chapter 19 by Andro

20. Chapter 20 by Andro

21. Chapter 21 by Andro

22. Chapter 22 by Andro

23. Chapter 23 by Andro

24. Chapter 24 by Andro

25. Chapter 25 by Andro

26. Chapter 26 by Andro

27. Chapter 27 by Andro

28. Chapter 28 by Andro

29. Chapter 29 by Andro

Chapter 1 by Andro
Author's Notes:
*disclaimer*

This story is fictional, meaning ages, discriptions, stories, hometowns, etc. are not neccesarily based on real facts or events and any wavering from actual facts are strictly for literary purposes. I know how old Kaci really is, I know the age gap that exists between her and AJ, but for this story I am choosing not to use those figures. Thank you, and enjoy!
Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Oh, I will love you more than that/I won't say the words then take them back/Don't give loneliness a chance/Baby listen to me when I say/ I will love you more than that

“How many times is she going to call me?” Roslyn exclaimed out loud as she heard the familiar ring of her cell phone for the fourth time in forty-five minutes and, feeling a little exasperated, assumed it was her cousin Kaci again with more questions about the wedding. She ran across the room to the coffee table where she had left phone after hanging up only five minutes ago with her cousin.

“You know Kaci, I know we’re family and all, but when I agreed six months ago to help you plan this thing and get stuff ready I didn’t know it would include a phone call every seven seconds,” Roslyn chided into the phone without so much as a hello beforehand.

“Um, Ros, it’s not Kaci, it’s Serena,” a quiet voice clarified on the other end of the phone.

“Oh, Serena, I’m so sorry,” started Roslyn, feeling slightly embarrassed but mostly rude. “Kaci has been calling me nonstop for the past hour or so and I was positive it was her again with another wedding question.” Roslyn heard laughter through the phone and was relieved that her friend was not upset at her awkward and inappropriate greeting. Serena knew how Kaci was, especially when she was in the middle of something huge, and she understood exactly what Ros was going through with her.

Kaci, Roslyn and Serena grew up together in a small town outside Memphis. Ros’s Dad and Kaci’s Mom were siblings, and coincidentally enough they each had baby girls within the same year. Being so close in age and being family really cemented Ros and Kaci’s bond to each other and it was always the two of them wherever they went. Then, when they started Kindergarten together at the elementary school down the street from their houses, they met Serena. From that day the trio had been inseparable, that is until Kaci’s music career took off and she moved to Los Angeles. Now, all of them at the age of 24, Kaci’s wedding was in the works, and both Roslyn and Serena had quite a load of responsibilities for the grand occasion.

“So what’s up girly?” Roslyn asked casually into the phone, happy to hear from her friend. It had been almost a two weeks since Ros had talked to her, not because she wanted it that way, but because that’s how things had to be now.

“Actually, I was wondering what you were doing tonight. I thought since Rob was out of town, and you’re all by yourself, without him around, maybe you’d want to catch a movie or veg out on the couch, watching re-runs and eating ice cream or something.” Roslyn caught the tone and implication in Serena’s voice when she mentioned Rob’s absenteeism; she sounded relieved, but then again that’s how Roslyn felt too.

Rob was Roslyn’s boyfriend of a year and a half. They started dating shortly after he moved to Memphis from New York City. After completing his MBA in business, he started his own consulting firm. Serena later found out why he decided to do it in Memphis instead of New York when he told her there are more hillbillies and rednecks that need direction and financial security in life than the city slickers do; she had found that quite amusing.

Ros was working the closing shift at The Blue Note, a bluesy nightclub on the south side of the Memphis and he came in with some buddies from work. He was 27 and had just started his consulting firm called “Freedom, Inc.”. She was 22 and in her final semester at the University, with a major in music production and a minor in music theory and performance. They hit it off immediately; he was so charismatic and charming; he seemed too good to be true. The relationship had started out so great—fun, spontaneous, full of good times and laughter. However, before she knew what was happening, it turned into quite the opposite, and just within that past three months or so. First it started off as only little arguments and yelling, and then came the insults, and it got progressively worse from there.

Without knowing exactly what went on behind the couple’s closed doors but being perceptive to the fact that something was going on, something they would prefer to not be a part of, her numerous friends became dwindling, as did Roslyn’s entire soul. What was happening with her and Rob, what the man that she loved and catered to was doing to her and more so what he was turning into was something she did not even understand, leaving her confused and broken.

Serena was one of the few friends Roslyn had left, and she wasn’t sure why Serena stuck it out with her. She knew that Serena suspected something, even though Roslyn had tried to hardest to cover up any indication that her and Rob were having problems, but if she did suspect something, she never asked about it. Serena was not going to abandon her friend of almost 20 years like the rest had, but she did not know how to help her, especially when her friend shut down more and more with each passing day. Serena had watched the light of love and life drain out of her best friend, and like Roslyn, she was left feeling confused and heartbroken.

Rob had left earlier that afternoon on a business trip for his consulting firm. He was headed to Knoxville to speak at a seminar, “Taking Control of Your Finances, and Your Life”. Rob was just the man to lead that seminar, seeing as how he was so great at controlling things, Roslyn being number one on his list. She had felt so comforted watching him walk out the door earlier that day and knowing that he wouldn’t be back until at least Thursday night, two days from now, left her with a feeling of security and safety, a feeling she had not had in quite some time.

“Yeah, that sounds great,” replied Ros, feeling very happy and excited. I’ll order the pizza now and it should be here by the time you get here.”

“I’ll pick up the ice cream and some wine on my way and I’ll be there in fifteen minutes.”

“Oh girl, you know how to give me a good night; pizza, ice cream, and wine.” Both ladies began cackling loudly, and Serena could not help the tear that formed in her eye before slipping out.

How long has it been since she’s laughed like that? she sadly reflected to herself as she ended the call with her friend. “I’m going to get her to talk to me tonight,” Serena vowed out loud as she walked out of her house and got into her car. “I know exactly what he is doing to her, but I need proof. And I need Ros to admit what is going on with them. She needs help.”

She formed her plan in her head as she drove to the corner market to pick up the essentials for any good adult sleepover. With the ice cream, two bottles of wine, a bag of tortilla chips, a jar of salsa, and one plan in mind, she pulled back into traffic and quickly made her way to Roslyn’s apartment.

Three hours, one bottle of wine, three quarters of a pizza, half a quart of ice cream and three re-runs of Law and Order: SVU later, the ladies were into quite the conversation about the wedding that was taking place in four days.

“I still cannot believe your cousin is marrying a Backstreet Boy,” raved Serena as she took the last gulp of her current glass of wine. “Tell me again why they are doing it here instead of LA? Does she know what kind of wedding she could have had out there? Oh my God!”

Roslyn laughed loudly at her friend’s expression and gestures. “Because the chances of having a nice, quiet wedding are greater here than they would be in LA,” she explained, fumbling on her words a little as the wine began saturating her brain. “I’m glad she’s doing it here though, because we get to be a part of it.”

“I’m still having doubts about doing all the food and the cake. I mean, celebrities and really important people are going to be at this thing! This will either make me or break me Ros!” Roslyn wrapped her arms around her friend supportively and gave her a quick wink.

“You have been doing this for hundreds of weddings, you’re a pro, and you went to one of the best schools in the country for this crap. Kaci would not have asked you to do it if she thought for one second it wouldn’t turn out right. Oh, and I forgot to tell you earlier, Kaci wants you to call her.”

“I just talked to her this morning!” cried Serena as she began opening the second bottle of wine. “What could she possibly need to tell me that she couldn’t this morning or can’t wait until she gets here tomorrow?” Ros sighed, completely understanding what Serena was saying.

 

“I don’t know. But just call her. When we get married and Kaci is helping us, we will be driving her crazy too, so let’s just be patient and get her through this.” Ros leaned back against the couch at the thought of getting married. She wanted to be married and have a family so badly, but she knew it wouldn’t happen with Rob; she couldn’t let it, but she didn’t know how to get away from him. As her mind began to wander into painful territory her phone rang, like an omen from the devil, and she knew it was Rob, her Rob, the Rob that she didn’t want to talk to.

Serena grabbed the phone off of the coffee table and looked at the screen. She gingerly held the phone out to Ros, but Ros wouldn’t take it. “Just let it go to voicemail,” Ros instructed quietly. “I don’t feel like talking to him. He’ll be pissed if I tell him what we are doing and I can’t lie to him, cause he’ll find out anyway.” When the phone stopped ringing she finally took the phone out of Serena’s hands, and after flipping it open and hitting the power button, she threw it back onto the coffee table where it had originally been.

Serena knew that this was her chance to talk about Rob, but Ros sensed the same thing and quickly changed the subject before Serena could even open her mouth.

“I want to show you what I got for Kaci; her wedding present,” exclaimed Ros with a high level of excitement. She wiped her eyes quickly, as if to keep the tears that were threatening to spill out at bay, and then she leaned down off the couch and pulled open a drawer in the coffee table. She was wearing pajama pants and a tank top, and as she leaned over her pants fell down slightly and her top crept up a little, revealing most of her lower back and her side.

“Oh my God,” hissed Serena, throwing her hand over her mouth, trying to quiet herself, hoping that Roslyn didn’t hear her. She stared at her friend’s bare skin, her eyes welling up with hot, stinging moisture, a range of emotions flying through her body. She didn’t know whether to yell, to cry, to run away, or to hunt that son of a bitch down and beat him the way he so obviously beats her best friend.

On Roslyn’s left side there was a deep purple bruise roughly the size of a grapefruit, or a really big fist, that couldn’t have been more than a day and a half old; it hadn’t even started to turn yellow. As Serena moved her eyes off the bruise and onto Roslyn’s back, she saw scratches and welt-like bruise, like one would get if they fell back against something with an edge on it. She stared blankly at her friend, trying to figure out what to say, and then she noticed the inside of Roslyn’s right arm as she stretched it out to grab the box out of the drawer. She had five little marks around her upper arm, obviously from someone grabbing her tightly.

Serena tried to conceal her shock and emotion as Roslyn sat back up on the couch with a small box in her hand and a huge smile on her face. “It’s so beautiful, she’s going to love it,” explained Roslyn as she opened the box. Serena didn’t even pay attention to what she was being shown; her mind was racing, trying to figure out what to say to Roslyn about the bruises.

“Have you been kickboxing recently?” Serena asked, deciding to take an ambiguous angle in an attempt to not upset her friend prematurely. Maybe they really are accidental bruises, I really don’t see how Rob could do that to her.

“Kickboxing? No, I haven’t been kickboxing recently…or ever for that matter. Why?” Roslyn was slightly amused by her friend’s question, assuming that the alcohol was affecting her too, since Serena typically got very random and spontaneous when she drank.

“Did you fall down some stairs? Run into something? Play a game of tackle football?” Her tone of voice was snappy and harsh, something Serena was not trying to do, but couldn’t seem to control her anger at what she had seen on her friend’s body.

“What are you talking about?” Serena responded, a little scared and agitated. She knew what happened when someone got angry with her, but she never thought her best friend would hurt her too. Serena reached for Roslyn quickly, trying to grasp her shirt and lift it up, but Roslyn thought she was going to hit her and instinctively put her arms in front of her face for protection. Serena gasped and the tears she had been trying to hold back exploded out of her eyes; and seeing her friend’s reaction solidified her suspicions.

She softly pulled Roslyn’s arms away from her face and pulled her into a hug, both of them crying together. “I would never hurt you Ros, you have to know that. I’m never going to hurt you like he does,” Serena repeated over and over as she held her sobbing friend in her arms, rocking her back and forth. Fifteen minutes later, Serena heard even, calm breathing coming from her friend, indicating that she had finally fallen asleep. Serena gently laid her back against the couch and covered her up with a blanket.

She got up from the couch carefully so she wouldn’t disturb Roslyn and quickly ran over to the kitchen table, digging through her purse for her cell phone. When she felt it in her hands she pulled it out hastily, knocking her purse and its entire contents onto the kitchen floor as she did so. She didn’t seem to care as she bolted into the bathroom and shut the door quietly behind her. She sat down on the toilet and pressed number three on her speed dial—Kaci’s number. It rang several times before anyone picked up, and during that time, Serena’s eyes had brewed a fresh pot of tears and she could not control them from falling or her voice from shaking and faltering.

“Hello?” a sexy male voice said as the phone was answered. Serena knew it was AJ, Kaci’s fiancé.

“Alex, it’s Serena, I have to talk to Kaci, put her on the phone now!” she cried, becoming quite hysterical at this point.

“Okay sweetie, hang on,” AJ replied, sensing something was terribly wrong by the way Serena sounded. Serena could hear him calling Kaci and she heard him whisper to her that something is wrong and he hopes it is not about the food for the wedding.

No AJ, this is not about the wedding, it so much more important than the wedding, this is a matter of life and death.

She heard Kaci’s sweet voice on the other end of the phone say, “Hey Serena, what’s up sweetie?” but all Kaci could hear back were sobs coming through the phone. “Serena? What’s wrong Serena? Serena, talk to me!” Kaci was now screaming into the phone, frantic with worry, and knowing in her gut that it had nothing to do with her precious wedding.

“Kaci, it’s Roslyn, she’s in trouble,” was all Kaci heard before the phone dropped from her hands and crashed onto the floor.

“We have to go now,” Kaci whispered to AJ as he stared at her in shock. She walked into her bedroom and began wheeling out her suitcases. At least she had packed yesterday so leaving in a hurry wasn’t as hard. AJ followed her with his eyes and then, realizing that she was serious, picked up the phone off the ground and said quickly into it, “We are on our way,” and within a minute the couple was out the door and speeding towards the private airstrip where their plane was waiting.

Chapter 2 by Andro
Chapter 2



Around six o’clock the next morning Roslyn opened her eyes to find three other pairs of eyes staring at her from different spots in the living room. For a moment she had forgotten where she was, but as she rubbed her sore, swollen eyes and stretched her limbs that ached from sleeping on the couch all night she remembered all too clearly what had happened the night before.

I guess my secret is out, she thought bitterly as she looked from person to person, waiting for someone to say something. Serena was the first to speak.

“How are you feeling?” she asked gently, unsure of how Ros was going to handle this intervention.

“I’ve been better,” she responded flatly, making no effort to look Serena in the eye. “What are you two doing here anyway?” she inquired, referring to Kaci and AJ. “I thought your flight was at 2 this afternoon?” Even though she had asked them in question format, she didn’t expect an answer; she already knew why they had come earlier than expected and as much as she wished they hadn’t gotten involved, she was very thankful that they had. She knew that if it was Kaci in trouble, nothing would have stopped her or Serena from getting to her.

“You know why we’re here Ros,” AJ replied slowly, in a deeper than usual tone.

I hope he’s not getting a cold or anything; that wouldn’t be good for the wedding. Instead of focusing on what he had said she was focusing on anything thing else she could find. She didn’t want to do this; she loved them so much for caring, but there was nothing they could do to help her. Rob could hurt them just as easily as he hurts her. She knew she would never get away from him, mostly because he told her she wouldn’t, and so far, the only thing that he’s told her that he hasn’t followed through on was the one time he told her that he would never hurt her…and obviously he had lied.

She thought back to the day he had said that to her; it was after they had run into one of Roslyn’s old friend’s from high school while they were out shopping one day.

“Roslyn Bushman, is that you? It’s Darla!” Ros stopped in her tracks as she heard that all too familiar voice from behind her. She turned slowly and came face to face with the girl that had ruined her Senior Prom.

“Darla, what are you doing here? I thought you moved to Colorado or something?” Ros could feel her hands shaking as she tried to keep her tone as even as possible.
“Well, I did, but then Ryan and I started talking again and so I moved back here to try and take off from where we had left things.” At the mention of her old crush’s name she jerked a little, the urge to punch Darla in the face flooding back to her all over again. Darla looked from Roslyn to Rob and back again. Then with a smirk she said “I’d ask you what you are doing nowadays but I guess he’s standing right in front of me!”

“Right,” Ros replied, gritting her teeth, “and I say it was nice talking to you, but, well, it wasn’t.” She sneered at Darla and then grabbed Rob’s hand and led him out of the store quickly. Once inside her car, Ros hit the steering wheel and began to cry.

“Who was that babe?” Rob asked, wide-eyed with concern and wonder.

“She was a friend from High School who stopped being my friend after she spread rumors around the entire school that I had an STD, when I was still a virgin, and my date to the prom blew me off and went with her instead.”

“I’m sorry she hurt you like that,” Rob said gently as he stroked her hair and her back. “It’s in the past though, and it doesn’t matter anymore. You’ve got me now, and I will never hurt you.”

“Fuc king bastard!” screamed Roslyn aloud, startling everyone in the room. It was only then, at hearing her friends’ gasps and seeing them looking from her to each other, wondering what was going on, that she lost it. The tears began to tumble out of her beautiful green eyes and she covered her face with her hands in embarrassment. “He told me he’d never hurt me!” she yelled at the top of her lungs. “How did I let this happen? Look what I’ve become,” she sobbed softly into her hands.

“You did nothing wrong, Ros,” said Kaci as she pulled her cousin close to her. “There was nothing you could have done to stop it.” While Kaci was trying to calm Roslyn down, Serena had picked up Ros’s cell phone, turning it on. She was so irate at what Rob was doing to her best friend that without thinking logically she dialed his number.

“You fuc king bitch,” was the first thing she heard after the phone rang twice. She knew he thought it was Ros calling him, but she was stunned that he actually talked to her that way. She remained quiet for a minute, waiting to hear what else he would say. “How dare you not answer your phone last night. I guess you are just so dumb that you don’t remember the rules, but I’ll make sure you remember tonight.”

Serena didn’t know what to say to him, she had so many things in mind when she dialed the phone, but now, nothing seemed good enough. There was nothing she could say to him that would make a difference, that would hurt him at all the way he had hurt Ros…well, maybe there was one thing. It might not hurt him emotionally, but it would definitely piss it off to no end. She took a deep breath and let it fly.

“You’ve brainwashed her, taken away everyone in her life, made her feel dependant on you while you beat the shit out of her every night, telling her that she will never find anyone better and that she can never leave you. It worked for a while, but it’s over now you son of a bi tch. You’re never going to hurt her again, and if you try, I swear to God I will kill you myself.” All she heard was breathing on the other end of the phone and she knew she had hit him where it hurts.

“You can’t stop me, Serena…..and don’t forget, I know where you live.” The way he said it sent shivers up her spine and for the first time, she understood how Roslyn could be so scared of him and why she didn’t feel like she could leave. With her whole body starting to shake even more than it was before she had a hard time holding onto the phone and almost dropped it. AJ, Kaci and Ros had stopped what they were doing when they heard Serena talking on the phone and up until that point they had just sat there and watched her, listening to what she was saying to Rob, but now, seeing the way that Serena was reacting AJ knew that Rob said something to her and he grabbed the phone from her trembling hands.

“This ends now,” AJ said evenly into the phone. “The police have been notified, reports have been filed, and everyone that doesn’t already know about you and how you treat women will know soon enough. I can’t imagine this is going to look very good with your company and all, so it would be in your best interest to just walk away, do you understand?” All AJ heard in response was the click of the line going dead, and in his gut, he knew what he said didn’t get through to Rob. He knew that Rob would be coming back tonight, and he knew that it was going to be nothing but trouble.

“Alex, we haven’t contacted the police yet,” said Kaci as AJ slowly took the phone away from his ear and held it out to Roslyn.

“We’re going to right now.” He wiggled his hand a little at Ros, waiting for her to take the phone from him. “Ros, you have to do it. This isn’t going to go away, and Rob is going to keep coming until you stop him.” He spoke those words gently, but the message was loud and clear, hitting her right between the eyes. She knew Rob wouldn’t stop, but she didn’t know if the police would be able to stop him either.

Once Roslyn was speaking to an officer over the phone, AJ got up from the chair and walked out of the living room towards the back hallway. He pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and dialed a number by heart.

“Yo,” a male voice said into the phone.

“Hey man it’s me. Listen, I need you to catch and earlier flight and get out here now. Some sh it’s going down tonight and we’re going to need you. I don’t have time to tell you more than that right now, so just get here, man.” AJ hung up the phone and walked back out into the living room.

“They are sending some officers over,” said Roslyn as she flipped her phone shut. She had no expression on her face at that moment, and it was scary for Serena and Kaci to see you like that. This was not the Ros they had known and loved, but they knew she would come back…eventually.

 

 

Chapter 3 by Andro
Chapter 3

Chapter 3



“Maybe you’re missing the point I’m trying to make,” Ros urged one of the police officers, who had introduced herself as Officer Meeks. “How are you going to protect me from him when he comes back here?”

“Ms. Bushman, I understand your fear and anxiety—“

“No, I don’t think you do!” Ros screamed, interrupting Officer Meeks in the process. “Have you ever been in an abusive relationship? Have you ever been told by someone you loved and trusted more than anything how badly they were hurt you if you ever tried to leave them?” The tears were streaming down Roslyn’s cheeks now, fully feeling the hopelessness and frustration this situation was heavily laying on her. She suddenly felt suffocated and found the normally involuntary act of breathing quite difficult to sustain.

“I can’t breathe,” she whispered as her inhales of air became quicker and shallower and her exhales became almost non-existent. The last bit of pigment that was clinging to her face faded immediately as a cold sweat started appearing in the form of tiny droplets of moisture around her hair line. Kaci ran to the kitchen cabinet next to the sink and pulled out a brown paper bag from inside it.

“Here; breathe into this,” she demanded as she opened it, stuck in Roslyn’s hand and helped her cousin lift it up to her mouth. She simulated the breathing with her cousin, almost the same way a Lamaze coach would breathe with the laboring woman, and within a minute Roslyn’s breathing was returning to normal, a slight bit of color returning to her pale cheeks.

Officer Meeks and the other office, Officer Gerard, remained silent through the brief ordeal, unsure of what they could say in response to Roslyn’s emotional outburst. They knew full well how difficult these situations were; many times the abuser got the “final word” and it was quite obvious that Roslyn knew that, and that’s what she ultimately feared.

“Ms. Bushman, we will keep surveillance on you around the clock. As soon as Mr. Manzke makes an appearance we will place him under arrest and he will remain in our custody indefinitely. If nothing else will give you piece of mind and a feeling of safety, just remember one thing; you are not going to be alone until he is apprehended,” Officer Gerard told her gently. Roslyn nodded her head slowly at the male officer as she pulled the bag away from her mouth. That thought did comfort her…immensely.

Officer Meeks and Officer Gerard stayed for a few more minutes, getting as much information on Rob’s whereabouts as they could. After explaining to Ros and everyone else in the room that there would always be an officer following them wherever they went and another officer would be positioned near the lobby of the apartment complex at all times they left Ros’s apartment silently.

Ros looked at the clock on her VCR and with a heavy sigh she got up from the couch for the first time since she had fallen asleep last night. Her legs buckled underneath her as she placed her weight on them, causing her to fall back onto the couch.

“I guess my legs are still asleep,” she laughed, allowing the panic-stricken expressions on everyone else’s faces to slowly fade away. At noticing this, Roslyn cleared her throat and faced them. “Listen guys, this is a really scary situation, but I refuse to let Rob control my life any longer. I am not going to stay here, worrying about every noise I hear. I am not going to be afraid any more.” She stood up from the couch again, this time without trouble, and began walking towards the bathroom.

“It’s ten o’clock on a beautiful Wednesday morning. I don’t have to go to work and we have tons of stuff to do before the rehearsal dinner Friday night. I’m going to take a shower, get ready, and then we are going out.” She didn’t wait for any of them to respond and she shut the bathroom door quietly.

Once she was tucked safely in the confines of the soothing, hot shower, out of eyesight from all the people that cared about her, she cried. She slid down the shower wall until she was sitting against it, letting the tears fall down her face just as the powerful water spray was doing, and she prayed.

Please God, please protect him from him. You haven’t so far, and I’m not sure what I did to make you turn from me, but I’m so sorry for whatever it was, and I am begging you to keep me safe now. I don’t want to die, especially by his hand. I want someone to love me, I want a family, I want to be happy.

As those words rolled from her lips, the ring tone on her phone sounded, and as she listened to it, she began crying a little harder.

I will love you more than that/I won’t say the words then take them back/Don’t give loneliness a chance/Baby listen to me when I say/I will love you more than that. That’s all I want, she thought sadly as she carefully pulled herself up from the shower floor. But do I deserve more than that?



***********************************************************


AJ, Serena and Kaci heard the shower turn on, and they all sat down in the living room to wait. While Kaci grabbed the remote and started flipping through the channels, Serena stood back up and walked into the kitchen.

“I know I’m starving, so I can only imagine how hungry you two are,” she called as she snooped through Roslyn’s refrigerator.

“Does she have stuff for omelets?” AJ yelled into the kitchen at Serena, referring to Ros’s food supply. She did, and after Serena took ingredient orders from Kaci and AJ, she began her culinary workings in the kitchen. Fifteen minutes later four delicious omelets were placed on the kitchen table, and Kaci, AJ and Serena sat down in front of them, deciding to wait for Ros to get out of the bathroom before they indulged in them.

“Mmmm, something smells good,” said Roslyn, announcing to everyone that she had emerged from the bathroom.

“Omelets. Come on and sit down, I made you one too,” responded Serena with a smile, knowing that Ros would need the sustenance to re-fuel her drained body. Roslyn obliged, and soon all four plates were empty, leaving them rubbing their full bellies in satisfaction.

“Okay Kaci, what’s first on the list?” Ros asked as she stood up from the table and began clearing the plates away.

“I guess to the dress shop for the final fitting, and then we’ll go to the tux place and get AJ’s tuxedo.” She listed off a few more places they needed to go, just to check in to give them piece of mind that everything would be ready in three days. They all grabbed what they needed and headed out the door, making sure the new locks that had been installed while the police were there worked with the new keys Ros had been given. When they felt satisfied that the apartment was secure they walked into the elevator and made the descent down to the ground floor, to talk to the officer waiting for them down there.

“I’m Office Miller and I will be following you on your excursions today,” he explained as gave a 10-4 into his walkie-talkie. He also handed Roslyn a little device that was about the size of a stop watch. “Pull this pin out and a shrill noise will sound so loud it can be heard for a half a mile,” he explained, showing her what to do as he was speaking. “If you run into a problem, this will either scare him away or alert people around you that you need help.”

Roslyn grabbed the device from him, giving him a thankful smile before tucking it into her purse. The foursome was off, with the officer in tow, and soon, they were so enveloped in wedding stuff that, for at least those few hours, Roslyn and everyone else had forgotten about Rob, and were just content of having a normal afternoon in each other’s company.

 

Chapter 4 by Andro
Chapter 4

Chapter 4



“Okay guys, I’m starving,” whined Roslyn as they walked out of the tuxedo shop. Kaci looked at her watch and laughed.

“Ros, it’s only two o’clock; you just had a huge omelet four hours ago!”

“Yeah, I normally eat breakfast around eight and then lunch at noon; four hours apart—so what’s your point?” retorted Roslyn, a little annoyed at her cousin’s tone. I know she’s like a size NOTHING and eats like a bird, but us NORMAL women eat three meals a day, plus snacks! She’s not even that much thinner than me! Of course, to Rob, I’m a cow.


“Okay Rob, I’m ready to come out now,” Roslyn announced from her bedroom to Rob who was sitting in the living room waiting for her. He felt so bad about her Senior Prom being ruined that after a few months of planning he had put together a prom-like event in Memphis. All of their friends, family, and various members of the community had been invited, making it a huge ordeal.

“Get out here then!” he yelled back to her, slightly amused at how excited she was and how much it actually felt like a real prom to her. Slowly she emerged from her room and moved into the kitchen, where Rob got a great look at her, since the living room and kitchen were open, meaning there were no walls separating the two rooms.

She was wearing a strapless lime green silk number with a black lace overlay from the top to the dropped waist and then a solid black overlay from the dropped waist down. It was form fitting at the top, with a corset look to it, and then it widened as it went down so that by the bottom of the dress the fabric flowed and cascaded with each step. The final accent on the dress was a slit on the left side that almost reached her hip, exposing her entire left leg. Jesus himself would have stopped dead in his tracks if she had walked past him and she only hoped that Rob would have the same reaction.

“Wow,” he whispered as she took several more steps through the kitchen. He started walking towards her and met her halfway into the kitchen where he started walking around her, taking it all in. She was beaming, feeling so sexy and beautiful, loving the way Rob’s eyes wandered over her entire body, obviously pleased with how she looked. She had been so careful about what she ate in the past month, also doing some light cardio and weight training in hopes of toning her limbs a little before the big day. She was waiting for the praises of beauty and attractiveness to poor out of his mouth, but that didn’t happen.

“Your arms look great, but you should have done some extra running on the treadmill to firm up these love handles,” was the first thing out of his mouth and he stepped behind her and pinched the little bit of skin above her hips. Then he reached his hand down to her exposed leg and slid his hand inside the slit until his hand was right under her butt cheek.

“This is a little loose too, but with any luck your dress with cover it when you walk and dance so no one besides me will notice it.” The tears stung in her eyes and she fought her hardest to keep her face from twisting and the tears from falling. Her lips were trembling and she placed her hand over them to try and stop it. Rob didn’t even notice, he was still too busy examining her body with a magnifying glass and a fine tooth comb.

He moved around to her front and studied her face, and then he smiled. “You have always had such a beautiful face Ros, that’s never been an issue to me. At least I know that if you don’t get rid of those problem areas I will have a beautiful fatty instead of an ugly one.” He laughed a little at his own joke, thinking it was hilarious, but Roslyn couldn’t even move. She had never been spoken too like that, especially by someone she loved and trusted. It takes a lot of trust and self-esteem to allow a person of the opposite sex to see you naked, and Roslyn felt, at that moment, she had made a terrible mistake.

What must he think when he sees me naked every night? No wonder we always have sex with the lights off, she thought to herself, horrified and embarrassed beyond control. She was shaking so hard she could almost hear her brain rattling inside her head and almost didn’t hear Rob asking her if she was ready to go. Without another word she walked out the door, silent tears ruining her perfectly made up face.

She tried to conceal the tears that were falling from her eyes as she remembered that horrible night four months ago. That was the first time he had emotionally and verbally abused her, and it was a moment that she had never, and probably never would forget.

“Ros, I’m sorry,” Kaci said softly, seeing her cousin’s tears and feeling like a complete bi tch for saying anything. She knew Roslyn’s insecurities about her body, but looking at Ros she knew she had nothing to be insecure about.

Ros was five seven, about 145 pounds, making her a size 10. Most of the size 10 though was made up of her amble bum, for her stomach was quite taught. She had an hourglass figure, her hips roughly eight inches rounder than her waist, making a single pair of hip-hugger jeans look deliciously perfect on her. Her breasts were a full C-cup, and provided the right amount of cleavage with a low cut shirt.

Kaci felt slightly like a lesbian, giving her cousin the once over with her eyes, but she was trying to figure out how Rob could have been so cruel to her. She had a gorgeous body, always has, and it was not fair to Roslyn for anyone to challenge or argue that.

How much damage control and repair is this poor girl going to need when this is all said and done? Kaci wondered to herself as she pulled her cousin into a tight hug.

“I’m really hungry too,” piped in Serena, hoping it would take some of the pressure and focus off of Roslyn. “Let’s find some place to eat.” The foursome walked down the street to Roslyn’s favorite Italian bistro. “A little Café Mulino should cheer you up.”

As they were sitting down at their table, AJ’s cell phone rang. After glancing at the caller ID, he excused himself and walked away from the group towards the entry way to talk privately.

“Hey man, did you land?” AJ asked into the phone.

“Yeah, we are in the rental car driving out of the airport now. Where should we meet you?”

“We? What do you mean we?”

“You know as well as I do that Q is back home for his dad’s funeral and I’m on double duty this week Alex.”

“Shit, that’s right.” AJ went on to fill his bodyguard, Marcus, in on the details and then ended his spiel by telling him to come to Café Mulino and meet them for lunch. “I’m sure you guys are hungry and this will give you a good chance to get better acquainted with everyone else.”

“I’ve already got it pulled up on the navigation system. We’ll be there in ten minutes,” Marcus responded.

“Marcus,” AJ started, but then paused, unsure of how to put this.

“Yeah man?”

“Don’t let Nick cause any problems. We both know how he gets when he’s ‘on vacation’. He’s not going to care that there are real issues going on here or even that me and Kaci are getting married. He’s just going to get drunk every night and probably make a fool of himself at the wedding.” As soon as he said that, he felt horrible. He loved Nick so much and knew he shouldn’t talk about him that way, but there were just so many things weighing on his shoulders right now, and the thought of having to keep Nick under wraps was just too much.

“He’ll be fine Alex; don’t worry,” was all Marcus said before hanging up.



“Were you talking about me?” Nick asked defensively as soon as Marcus hung up the car phone. “What was he saying?”

“Nick, relax man. AJ is stressed about the wedding and some problems that have come up with Kaci’s cousin and he is just worried that you’ll—“

“That I’ll screw things up again like I always do?” Nick asked with a hurt look on his face. He didn’t wait for Marcus to respond; he just plugged the ear buds from his ipod into his ears and turned the music up as loud as he could stand it.

Nobody has any faith in me anymore. Nobody’s even seen that I’ve changed. The last tour was months ago, and they still look at me as that guy. Vanessa hasn’t even noticed, he thought bitterly. He closed his eyes, trying to push all of the bad energy out and breathe the good energy in. This trip was his chance to show everyone that he had grown up, that Nick Carter was not the childish, self-centered person they all think him to be, and if he was completely honest with himself, the childish, self-centered person he had shown himself to be in the past. His first task: finding out what the problem was with Kaci’s cousin and fixing it so AJ and Kaci didn’t have to deal with it.

I mean, how hard is it going to be to re-dye her hair her normal color or fix a couple broken nails anyway, he thought, assuming that any “problems before the wedding” would be that simple and minor.
Even if she gained a few too many pounds, there has to be a tailor somewhere in Memphis that can let the seam out a little more. God knows how many times it’s happened to me.

He almost laughed out loud as that thought crossed his mind. Of course, no one’s noticed that either, he gently reminded himself, referring to the fifteen pounds he’d lost since the tour ended. But he knew they would; he was here now, and he was going to show them, and he was going to make everything alright.

 

Chapter 5 by Andro
Chapter 5



“The backup landed and is on the way here,” announced AJ as he joined the group at the table. Kaci nodded her head, understanding what AJ meant, but Roslyn and Serena looked back and forth at each other completely clueless.

“Backup?” Serena asked, a little agitated that AJ and Kaci seemed to be speaking in a code language and only the two of them understood. Kaci looked up from her menu, and at seeing the puzzled expression on her friend’s face, she started giggling.

“AJ’s bodyguard, Marcus,” she responded casually, as if everyone has a body guard and the definition for the term “backup” is common knowledge.

“And Nick,” AJ added quietly, waiting for the reaction he would surely get from his fiancé. Surprisingly, it was Serena that spoke up first.

“Nick? As in Nick Carter? As in the hot blond guy in your group that I’ve had a crush on since I was fourteen?” She sounded like a pubescent girl on the verge of a rather embarrassing attack of the star-struck giggles slash hysterical crying.

“That would be the one,” responded Kaci, amused. “Promise me, Serena, and this is important so listen carefully….Promise me that you won’t scream, cry, or lose consciousness when you see him, okay?” AJ and Roslyn started laughing while Kaci struggled to keep a straight face.

“Whatever,” muttered Serena as she rolled her eyes. Ros, Kaci and AJ continued staring at her, waiting for her promise.

“Well?” Kaci coaxed.

“I’m 24 years old,” responded Serena defiantly. The stares continued. “I am a mature adult!” Still nothing. “I took the posters of him off my wall years ago!” She was almost pleading now, hoping they would turn their attention from her back to their menus. They still stared relentlessly and finally she sighed and she took her white linen napkin off the table, waving it in the air comically. “Fine, I surrender. I promise I will not scream, cry or lose consciousness when I see him, happy?”

“I might though, depending on who we are talking about,” a male voice said from behind Serena. Kaci and AJ, who were seated directly across from Serena, covered their mouths and laughed as they watched Nick walk up behind her. Serena knew that voice, and she sat frozen in her seat, refusing to turn around, afraid that she might not actually be able to keep her promise if she did.

“Remember See, you promised,” snorted Kaci, unable to control her laughter any longer.

“You guys all suck,” murmured Serena as she covered her face in embarrassment.

“Serena, let me introduce you to Marcus, my bodyguard, and Nick Carter, your favorite Backstreet Boy.”

“Nice to meet you both,” she said loudly, her hands still covering her face. The table erupted with laughter as Nick and Marcus took their seats in the two empty chairs between Serena and AJ and picked up the menus.


“Will there be anything else?” the waiter asked an hour later as he placed the bill on the table. Everyone shook their head no and he began clearing away the empty plates.

“I got this,” said AJ casually as he grabbed the bill off the table and pulled out several large dollar bills from his wallet. He stood up and took the bill up to the bar to pay while everyone else finished their beverages.

“Sh it, guys, sorry to break this up, but I gotta get going,” said Serena reluctantly as she glanced at her watch. Roslyn gave her puppy dogs eyes, making Serena giggle. “Don’t give me that look. If you want your cousin to have a wedding cake and food at the reception then I have work to do.”

“Fine, but don’t forget to be at The Blue Note by eight,” Roslyn reminded her as she stood up and gave her friend a kiss on the cheek and a quick hug.

“I wouldn’t miss it for the world,” responded Serena with a smile. She said goodbye to Kaci the same way and then waved at Nick and Marcus. “Guess I’ll see you around,” was all she said before heading towards the bar to bid farewell to AJ. When Serena was gone, Kaci turned to Roslyn with excitement in her eyes.

“Are you singing tonight?” she asked her cousin, a huge smile on her face. Roslyn just nodded her head in affirmation. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

Roslyn shrugged her shoulders. “When have I really had a chance? Besides, it’s not that big of a deal. People are going to be more interested in you, AJ and Nick than they will be in me anyway.” She looked away from her cousin, feeling unsure of herself now. Sometimes, being related to Kaci was hard on Roslyn, especially when it was her time to be the star.

She had been singing at The Blue Note since she started working there two years ago. At first, she just filled in as a backup singer for the featured singer, Skyla, whenever one of the regulars couldn’t make it, but sixth months ago Skyla got a record deal and someone needed to fill her shoes. Roslyn has been singing there twice a month since.

“Don’t say that,” said Kaci softly. “People go there to see you and you know that.” Roslyn smiled and decided to just let it go. She didn’t want to argue or debate the issue. She didn’t even want to sing tonight with everything going on.

I can’t miss another show though or they will replace me, she thought, remembering back to the night two months ago when she couldn’t perform.

“Rob, I don’t have time for this. I have to be there in twenty minutes!” she screamed at him, trying to get him to move out of the way.

“You have all the time in the world. You don’t go unless I say you go and…” he started, grabbing her around the throat, “don’t you ever yell at me again.” He pushed her against the door, choking her as he did so. “You’re not going to sing tonight, you’re not even going to be able to talk tonight, and if you try to defy me again, I’ll make sure you can never sing again,” he told her as she started to run out of air, her eyes rolling back into her head. He had lifted her off the ground by this point, but when he noticed she was losing consciousness he dropped her like a rag doll and she crumpled to the floor.

She tried to stand up, but she couldn’t. She coughed as she tried to catch her breath, and Rob just stood over her, watching her. She opened her mouth to speak but only air came out, and she knew he was right; she wouldn’t be able to sing tonight.

She stood up from the table abruptly and excused herself to the bathroom. She almost ran AJ over as he walked back to the table. “What’s wrong?” he asked, oblivious to what she had been thinking about.

“She’s worried about singing tonight with us there,” Kaci explained, also in the dark about what was really bothering Roslyn. “She thinks that everyone will be more interested in us and Nick than her.”

That didn’t really seem like what was bothering her, thought Nick. I don’t see why that would cause her to run off.

“What is the problem with her anyway?” Nick asked, taking the opportunity to satisfy his curious mind since they were on the subject of Kaci’s cousin. “Marcus said we had to come out early because there’s a problem.”

“I’ll tell you later,” AJ whispered as he saw Roslyn walking back towards the table. “Is everything okay Ros?” he asked as she got closer.

“I just want to take a nap,” she told him as she picked her purse up from the table.

“Then let’s get you home.” He led her out of the restaurant, followed by Kaci, Nick and Marcus.

On the walk back to Ros’s apartment, fire trucks and ambulances went speeding past them with the siren’s blaring, causing a pit to form in their stomachs.

“What the h ell is going on?” Kaci wondered out loud as they quickened their pace. When they turned the corner she got her answer; Ros’s apartment complex was engulfed in flames.

“Oh my God!” Ros gasped as she took off running towards her home.

“Ros, no, get back here!” Kaci yelled, but Ros didn’t listen. She didn’t stop until the fireman holding back the crowd grabbed her around the waist as she tried to get by him.

“This is my apartment complex; I live here!” she screamed, trying to get him to let go of her. “How did this happen?”

“We won’t know for sure until the blaze is put out and it can be investigated, but from what everyone is saying, the fire started in apartment 3D and just grew too quickly to contain it.”

“That’s my apartment!” yelled Roslyn in disbelief. “I haven’t even been home all day!” Nick, AJ, Marcus and Kaci had now caught up with her and had heard what she had just said. One of the policemen walked up to them and asked them to come with him.

“Ms. Bushman,” the officer said once they were out of earshot from the crowd. “Some of your neighbors claim they saw a male matching the description of Mr. Manzke on the fire escape outside your apartment. We believe that he broke into the apartment that way and when he discovered that you weren’t home he set the fire out of anger.”

“I need to lie down,” whispered Roslyn.

“Okay sweetie, we’ll get you to our hotel,” Kaci told her, rubbing her back gently. “Excuse me, Officer….?”

“Brooks, Miss, Officer Brooks.”

“Okay, Officer Brooks, can I take her back to my hotel room?” Officer Brooks look at Roslyn and nodded his head slowly.

“Yeah, I think that would be a good idea,” he said quickly, putting his index finger up as a signal for them to wait a second. He walked over to one of the other officers as whispered something in his ear, and then came back.

“I’ll take her,” he said, placing his arm gently around her back. “My car is right over here.”

“I’ll ride with,” said Marcus. Maybe he had been working as a bodyguard too long, but he had a bad feeling about this guy. “Here,” he said, tossing the keys to the rental car at Nick, “you guys walk back to the restaurant and get the car, then meet us at the hotel.”

They nodded, and Marcus and Roslyn followed Officer Brooks to his car. “Don’t worry honey,” Marcus told her as he helped her into the backseat before scooting in right next to her. “You just stick with me. I don’t have any loyalties to your boyfriend; I’ll keep you safe.” He said it just loud enough for Officer Brooks to hear, and somehow he knew he had hit the nail right on the head.

Chapter 6 by Andro
Chapter 6





“I’m think it’s time for you to tell me what’s up!” Nick yelled as he, Kaci and AJ took off running back down the street towards the restaurant where Marcus had parked the rental car. They reached the car in less than a minute and they jumped in as quickly as they could.

“What hotel?” Nick asked as he pealed out of the parking lot.

“The Wyndam Garden on Second,” snapped Kaci as she wrung her hands and chewed on her lower lip. “Just follow this road,” she explained, pointing to the road they were on, “it will take you right to Second Street.”

“Okay fine, I’ll do that, but tell me what the fu ck is going on!” he ordered firmly, keeping his eyes on the road. “Who is Mr. Manzke and why is he setting fire to her apartment? It’s not that prick she’s been dating for a while is it? Don’t they live together? Why would he burn down his own apartment?” Nick kept going on and on, asking questions but getting no answers. “Did they break up? Will someone answer me?”

AJ turned in his seat and glanced back at Kaci, the two of them silently deliberating who was going to share the sordid details with Nick. Kaci sighed and began.

“Yeah, Rob Manzke, Ros’s boyfriend. She reported him to the police today and now he’s trying to get at her.”

“Why did she report him?” Nick kept his eyes on the road, but the tone of his voice was rising a little, as if it was starting to affect him personally.

“He hurts her Nick,” Kaci replied softly, as tears began to form in her eyes. Everyone in Ros’s life, now that the truth was out, felt guilt and pain, but because Ros was Kaci’s best friend, she felt even worse, like she should have known and done something to protect her.

“What do you mean he ‘hurts’ her?” Nick was pretty sure he already knew that answer, but he needed to hear it anyway.

“He beats the shi t out of her, man!” AJ yelled before Kaci had a chance to answer. “He pushes her, kicks her, slaps her, punches her, says horrible things to her, take your pick. He was out of town on business and Serena and I kind of tipped him off that the cops were after him and now he thinks this is a game, a challenge, and God knows what he’s else he’s going to do!”

“Why would you tip him off? Are you insane?” Nick didn’t mean for his words to sound so hurtful, but they did.

“We didn’t mean to. Serena was so upset that she called Rob and tried to scare him, threaten him, just let him know that we are onto him and he better stay away, and then I got on the phone with him and did the same thing, but I guess it didn’t work and now he’s even more pissed and he’s going to take it out on Ros!”

Nick had a hard time concentrating on the road, horrible images and thoughts of Rob hurting Roslyn haunted his mind. How could anyone do that to her? And how could she let him do it for so long? I knew something was up with her when she was in LA a couple months ago.

Roslyn and Nick were actually more acquainted than they led most people to believe. They had met over two years ago when she had come out to LA to spend a few weeks with Kaci over Spring Break. That was her first time meeting her cousin’s new boyfriend, Alex, as well as his five band mates.

Nick liked her immediately, which surprised him, seeing as how she wasn’t his typical, platinum blond, colored contact wearing, tanning bed colored type of girl, but since he was in a current relationship with someone of the aforementioned description, he reluctantly passed on the ample opportunities to take her out. If it was a group thing, he was there, watching her, listening to her, taking all of her in, but never got any closer than that.

They had kept in touch over those two years, making a point of going to dinner or catching up over a cup of coffee whenever she would venture out to the West Coast or whenever he was passing through her neck of the woods, which wasn’t very often. Whenever they did get together though, they made the most of it. Talking for hours about what each other had been up to, learning each others likes and dislikes, and eventually moving into more personal territory like relationships and history that wasn’t made known to a lot of people in their own lives. And as weird and random as the friendship was, it seemed to be turning into a very strong one.

Two months ago, however, Roslyn had been sent to LA for her job, but he had to hear that she was there from Kaci; Roslyn didn’t call him like she always did.

“Hey Ros, it’s Nick, umm, Kaci said that you were in town, but, ah, do you want to umm…why didn’t you call me? I guess if, uh, want to, you know, umm, catch a late lunch or an early dinner or, um, whatever, I guess, give me a call. It’s the um, same number as always, in case, you know, you forgot or something.” He hung up his phone and stood in the middle of the living room of his condo, wondering why she hadn’t called him.

“She always calls me when she’s in LA,” he murmured to himself, his feelings hurt and his heart disappointed. He was about to set his phone down on the mantel but it rang before he could.

“Yeah?” he said into it quickly without looking at the caller ID.

“Nick? It’s Ros,” a quiet voice said from the other end. “I’m sorry I didn’t call you. I really didn’t think I would be here long enough to see you, but, well, after hearing your voice I, umm, will you come pick me up at my hotel?”

Nick wasn’t sure what he heard in her voice, but he wasn’t going to find out now. She had asked him to come get her, and he didn’t need to be asked twice.

“I’ll be there in ten minutes,” he said as he grabbed his car keys and headed out the door. They continued to talk as he was driving; only ending the call once he saw her walking towards his car in front of her hotel.

“What happened?” he asked, pointing to the cast on her arm and sling she was wearing. She looked away from him and answered blankly.

“Oh, I slipped going down the stairs at work last week, no big deal.” Throughout their evening together he had seen bruises and marks on her body, some appearing older than others, but he never questioned her. Like everybody else in her life, he assumed that if they were from something serious, she would say something.

He hit the steering wheel with his hands making the car horn sound as he did so. Why didn’t I do something then? he thought. He pulled into the parking lot of the Wyndam and they all hopped out, giving the keys to the valet attendant before walking into the exquisite lobby.

Oh I will love you more than that/I won’t say the words then take them back/Don’t give loneliness a chance/Baby listen to me when I say/I will love you more than that.

“How ironic,” Nick mumbled as “More Than That” played over the speakers as they walked through the lobby. I would love her more than Rob. I would never hurt her.

“It’s still so weird to be walking next to you and hear you singing on the radio,” said Kaci with a smile, trying to lighten the mood a little. They took the elevator up to the eleventh floor and then walked down the hallway to room 1169, which, of course, was AJ and Kaci’s room.

“Where’s Ros?” Kaci asked Marcus as they entered the room and saw him sitting at the desk making notes on a piece of paper. He pointed to a door that was slightly ajar, which Kaci knew was one of the bedrooms. She walked over and peeked in the door, then silently pulled it closed.

“What are you thinking man?” AJ asked Marcus as he plopped down on the couch.

“I googled this Rob guy and he seems to be a pretty popular guy. His consulting services are in high demand, he’s on the Forbes list, and he’s really involved in the community.”

“But yet he lives in Memphis, Tennessee, in a two bedroom apartment in an old part of town, drives a Ford, and beats his girlfriend? It doesn’t make sense!” Nick’s observation was right and everyone else was thinking the same thing, he was just the first to verbalize it.

“My thoughts exactly, and my theory why is that he can control things here. Four out of the five cops that are working on Ros’s case were listed on his website as community leaders, he’s president of about a half a dozen organizations in this dam n city, he’s got everyone so snowed or on his side that it doesn’t matter what he does.”

“So what do we do then? She’s lived in this community her whole life and you’re telling me that the cops are going to help the criminal instead of the victim? She doesn’t have anyone here to help her except for Serena; my parents aren’t even here very much anymore!” Kaci was beginning to get a little hysterical at this point, helplessness flooding over her.

“What about her parents?” Nick asked, wondering why Kaci didn’t mention them. AJ and Kaci just stared at him, as if he had two heads and the question he just asked had been spoken in some alien language.

“She’s never told you?” AJ spat at him, doubting whether or not they should. If she never mentioned it to him in all the times they had spoken, if might be something she just didn’t want him to know.

“Told me what?”

“Her parents were murdered last year.” AJ regretted saying it as soon as it came out, feeling that he had just betrayed Roslyn’s trust. It’s not my place let the skeletons out of her closet.

 

“They were asleep and Randy, Ros’s Dad, heard something crash downstairs. I guess it was two burglars and he scared them and one of them shot him. Then Diane, my aunt, heard the gunshot and came downstairs. They killed her too.” Kaci began crying, the loss of her aunt and uncle still hurting terribly.

“They never found the guys either,” AJ added, hugging Kaci tightly.

“Excuse me,” said Nick quietly as he made his way to the bathroom. When they thought he was out of earshot, Marcus spoke first.

“We are going to have to settle this our way. I already put in a call to some of my guys; they will be here in a few hours. We can’t rely on the cops here to catch him, since most of them appear to be this guy’s friends.”

“So, what are we going to do?” AJ asked.

“Whatever we have to,” was all Marcus said.

“Kace, does Nick have a thing for Roslyn?” AJ could tell by the way Nick was acting that he must be feeling something.

“It’s pretty obvious to everyone but her isn’t it?” she responded with a smile. “She’s got a thing for him too though; she just doesn’t let herself feel it. I think if anyone is going to help her through this it’s him, but we’ll see what happens.”

“Where is he anyway? He’s been in the bathroom a really long time,” AJ noted as they all looked towards the bathroom. The door was open again and the light was off, so it didn’t appear that he was still in there. Kaci got up and walked towards the bedroom where Ros was sleeping and pushed it open quietly.

“Oh my gosh,” she whispered as she peered into the darkened bedroom and saw Nick lying on the bed with Roslyn, his arms wrapped around her protectively. She backed away from the door and smiled. “I knew it,” she murmured as she sat back down on the couch next to AJ.

“He’s in there with her, isn’t he?” AJ asked with a grin on his face. Kaci just nodded her head in confirmation. “Good. They need each other more than they know.”

Chapter 7 by Andro
Chapter 7




Roslyn woke four hours later feeling well rested. She knew the nap was a good idea, but she was surprised that she was actually able to fall asleep and stay asleep for four whole hours. Lately, when she would sleep, she would wake during the night from bad dreams, but that did not happen during this slumber.

It wasn’t until she tried to stretch that she realized a pair of strong, heavy arms were holding her body securely. He really does love me, she thought happily as she snuggled a little deeper into the embrace. I knew he would come back to me. He always said he never wanted to hurt me. She rolled over to face him, her intentions being to kiss him passionately, to tell him she forgave him for all the things he’s done to her, to take the first step out of he ll and begin their new life together, but her intentions were stopped short when she leaned in for the kiss and met a pair of piercing blue eyes instead of the dim, brown ones she was used to.

She felt like an idiot; a gullible, foolish woman. She knew Rob would never be the man she wanted him to be; she knew that no matter how much she loved him, he would never love her back. She just lay there, crying, giving no explanation for her actions to the man lying next to her, still holding her carefully, tenderly. He didn’t need one though; he knew what she had thought, what she had hoped, and he knew her heart was breaking all over again at that very moment. He just continued to hold her, understanding that there was nothing else he could do, and nothing else she wanted.

“I’m never going to change him am I?” she said quietly, the tears slowing a bit. “No matter what I do, no matter how much I love him, the relationship would be nothing but disaster.”

“Ros, there’s no way for you to change it,” he responded softly, brushing her hair from her face. “It’s him, not you. He’s the monster, the one with the problems, and he doesn’t deserve the love you’ve given him.” His words were true, the sound of his voice calming her as he spoke them. She lay in his arms for another fifteen minutes, the most intimate feelings she still had within her flowing through her body as her tattered and bare soul exposed itself to him through an un-spoken language. He understood her pain; she had the essence of damage and sorrow. His heart ached to take that away.


********************


“Ladies and Gentlemen, without further ado, the Blue Note Night Club is proud to present the smoking hot band, right out of Memphis, Jade, featuring singing sensation Roslyn Bushman.” The crowd at the night club was busier than usual tonight, people driving from all over to see Roslyn’s band, and they went crazy at the introduction, clapping and screaming as loud as they could. Roslyn had fans, something that she took great pride and accomplishment in.

For the next hour Roslyn sang her heart out, performing original songs that she and the band had written, as well as covering other artists’ songs. Kaci, AJ, Marcus, Serena, and Nick had been seated up in the balcony section; that was the most VIP a downscale nightclub like the Blue Note got, especially since the rich and famous didn’t frequent the place very often.

When Serena arrived at the Blue Note at eight, Roslyn had still been in her dressing room getting ready. She didn’t hit the stage until nine, but she was already in a panic. She had taken the dress she was supposed to wear for her final song to the dry cleaners and when she picked it up the next day she was on her way home. It was in her apartment when it burned, and now her choices for a replacement were severely lacking the look she wanted to portray.

“Don’t worry,” Serena had told her. “You just finish getting ready and I’ll take care of your closing number.”

Roslyn still didn’t know what Serena had come up with, and she wouldn’t know until she ran backstage at the end of the set to change into whatever it was for the last song.

The last two songs in the set were very fast, upbeat, dance tempo ones, and Kaci and Serena couldn’t stay in their seats any longer. They jumped up and grabbed the guys by the hand, dragging them down the stairs with them all the way up to the stage.

“She is so fabulous!” screamed Kaci over the loud bumping bass.

“I know!” Serena yelled back. “It’s amazing to watch her up there; it’s like she becomes this completely different person. It’s so hot!” Kaci and Serena started laughing and trying to get Roslyn’s attention so she’d play and sing to them from the stage.

“Well, Nicky, what do ya think?” AJ asked as the last song in the set died down, Serena took off to the dressing room to help Roslyn and he and Nick moved away from the stage a little. The noise level had dropped dramatically as the lights went out on the stage and the crowd made a mad dash for the bar for another round before the grand finale. Roslyn always wowed the crowd with her ending number, and it was always a song that she did by herself, with only a piano or a guitar accompaniment and the anticipation and excitement from the crowd was no different tonight.

Nick stood there for a moment, listening to everyone talking about Roslyn and the band and how much they loved it, and he couldn’t think of any thing to say that could possibly express to AJ what he was thinking. “Awesome man, completely awesome,” was all he could say, and AJ understood him all too well.


*********************************


As the lights went off on the stage, Roslyn sprinted to the dressing room to see what Serena had found for her. Her mouth dropped as she stepped into the room and her eyes set on the most beautiful black dress she had ever seen.

“Oh my God, Serena, it’s beautiful! Where did you get this?” she cried as she walked over to it, almost afraid to touch it. It was a strapless sheath dress, obviously made to hug every curve of the wearer’s body, but then it fluttered out slightly at the bottom, creating a beautiful feminine look. It has a slit on the right side that traveled from her ankle to her upper thigh and that was all there was too it; but just the simplistic elegance of the dress was enough to take her breath away.

“I didn’t do it alone; Kaci helped,” was all Serena gave as an answer. “Now hurry up and put it on, we still have to put your hair up and fix your makeup!” Roslyn did as she was told, and ten minutes later she was ready to head back onto the stage for her final number; well outward appearance wise she was ready, inside she was dying.

Maybe I shouldn’t sing this song, she thought as she walked towards the stage. It’s so personal; maybe it’s too personal to sing.

“What wrong buttercup?” Serena asked as she pulled Roslyn closer to the stage door.

“Maybe I shouldn’t sing this one, See. I don’t think it’s the right choice.” Serena grabbed Roslyn’s hands, holding them in her own as she faced her friend, locking eyes with her.

“Ros, there is not a better song you could sing tonight, for so many reasons. You can’t keep running. You know the truth and you know the emotion, all that’s left is to sing it.” Roslyn nodded; she knew Serena was right. If she used every feeling and emotion and thought and fear and hope and disappointment she had within her right now, the entire place would be sucked into the mystery of her words.

“You have all been a fabulous crowd tonight and the entire group would like to thank you for coming out and seeing us tonight,” Cecilia, the keyboard player, said into the lone microphone positioned in a stand in the middle of the stage. The rest of the stage was completely void of anything else, except a grand piano in the far left corner.

“And don’t forget, you can come back and see us right here on the 17th, nine o’clock sharp,” she continued, the crowed whistling and clapping. “And now, for the final number of the night, please welcome back to the stage, Miss Roslyn Bushman.” The crowd grew louder, and the single spot light went out, the stage going black.

“Roslyn, Roslyn, Roslyn,” the crowd began to chant. She was standing on the stage waiting for the spot light to illuminate her, and the sound of her name being chanted gave her chills. She felt so at home on the stage, so wanted and adored, something her life had been lacking so much.

She heard the piano intro start behind her and the spotlight on the left side of the stage lit up, casting a beautiful glow around Cecilia as she played the grand piano. And now it’s my turn, Roslyn thought, waiting for the spot light to hit her.

 

“This is a song I wrote a few months ago. It means a lot to sing it for you all tonight,” she said quietly into the microphone. “This is Beautiful Disaster.”

 

He drowns in his dreams
An exquisite extreme I know
He's as dam ned as he seems
And more heaven than a heart could hold
And if I try to save him
My whole world would cave in
It just ain't right
But it just ain't right

Oh and I don't know
I don't know what he's after
But he's so beautiful
He's such a beautiful disaster
And if I could hold on
Through the tears and the laughter
But would it be beautiful
Or just a beautiful disaster

He's magic and myth
As strong as what I believe
A tragedy with
More damage than a soul should see
But do I try to change him
So hard not to blame him
Hold me tight
Baby hold me tight

Oh and I don't know
I don't know what he's after
But he's so beautiful
He's such a beautiful disaster
And if I could hold on
Through the tears and the laughter
Would it be beautiful
Or just a beautiful disaster

I'm longing for love and the logical
But he's only happy hysterical
I'm searching for some kind of miracle
Waited so long
I've waited so long

He's soft to the touch
But frayed at the ends he breaks
He's never enough
And still he's more than I can take

Oh and I don't know
I dont know what he's after
But he's so beautiful
He's such a beautiful disaster
And if I could hold on
Through the tears and the laughter
Would it be beautiful
Or just a beautiful disaster.

He's beautiful
Lord he's so beautiful
He's beautiful

Her eyes fell on Nick as she sang the last lines of her song, her heart making the gesture for her mind. That would be a beautiful disaster too, she thought sadly as the song ended and entire nightclub erupted in ear-shattering screams and claps. Serena and Kaci wiped the tears away from their eyes, both knowing what that song really meant.

Nick was awestruck. He had never heard such emotion mixed with such a beautiful voice in his twenty-six years of existence. He wanted to revel in that moment forever; staying in that four minutes and thirty-four seconds for the rest of his life was all he could comprehend, but that was cut short too.

“We have a problem,” yelled Marcus, slightly out of breath, as he ran up to them. “Rob…he’s here.”

 

Chapter 8 by Andro
Author's Notes:
The suspense is building...can you feel it? LOL Enjoy this one guys...more to come soon!


Roslyn walked through the door of her dressing room moments after finishing her song, feeling both exhausted and ecstatic, physically and emotionally. It had taken so much of her to sing her most personal words like she had just done, but the toll it had taken on her was not gratis; she felt liberated, fear and anxiety losing their control on her. Serena had been right; all she needed was to sing it.

She slid out of the dress, hanging it carefully back on the hanger from which it came, running her hand down the soft fabric one last time before zipping up the plastic bag that protected the beautiful garment.

“If anyone walked in right now,” she mumbled out loud, realizing that she was standing in the middle of her dressing room, in nothing but a thong, caressing the dress she had just taken off, with a longing look in her eye, and anyone that saw her would think she was a little off her rocker. She quickly stepped into a pair of gray, knit athletic shorts, rolling the waist band twice so they sat below her navel, low on her hips. She didn’t feel like hanging out in the club tonight, and the thought of dressing up just to head home wasn’t something that appealed to her.

Not like there’s anybody I need to impress anyway, she thought dryly as she reached for her favorite lemon yellow ribbed knit tank. After catching herself in the mirror, and realizing she wasn’t wearing a bra and the light colored tank top would not leave much to the imagination, she pulled a second tank out of the dresser, this one hot pink. Thank God for layering, it just works, she mused as she started putting it on, just getting it over her head before hearing a noise behind her. She quickly pulled the tank top down and immediately turned around to see what it was; bringing her face to face with Rob.

She opened her mouth to scream, her first instinct, but he wrapped one of his large, strong, dark hands across her mouth, preventing anything from escaping it. A second later his other hand was around her back, pulling her into his body, holding her so tightly she couldn’t wriggle away.

“I saw you with him,” he hissed into her ear, pressing his mouth so close to her skin she thought his hot breath would burn a hole in her face. Roslyn was trembling so hard she lost her balance, her legs giving way under her, relying on Rob to hold her up. He relished in the fact that once again he had control over her, the choice to let her fall completely up to him.

“I see the way you look at him, the way he looks at you. I know about your little get togethers in LA, the emails between you two.” He pulled his mouth away from the side of her head and looked right into her mascara smudged eyes. “I guess I didn’t make it clear enough that you are to love no one but me.” His eyes flickered with hatred and anger as he pulled his hand away from her mouth, raising it in the air, cocking it for the strike. The next instant was a blur to Roslyn as the back of his hand collided with her cheek, following through until his hand was on the other side of his body. He chose that moment to release her from his hand, sending her body flying from the force of his hit.

She stumbled as she tried to catch herself, falling backwards against the edge of the dresser. She hit hard, knocking the wind out of her lungs, and she struggled to regain her breath as she slid down the dresser. Now that she was free of his hold, his hand no longer covering her mouth, she needed to scream, to yell as loud as she could for someone, anyone, to help her, but she couldn’t.

She began crawling towards the door, clawing the carpet in her attempt. She was going nowhere fast, the pain in her hand and back from her crash with the dresser overtaking her.

“Great idea Rossi, we should leave,” he patronized, watching her feeble attempt at escaping. In one swift movement he was over her, pulling her off the ground and dragging her unwilling body towards the door. He flung it open, pulling Roslyn into the dark hallway, his getaway plan rolling. He knew if he could get her out the back door at the end of the hallway and into his car without incident he would be free, unstoppable even. His plan, however, ran into a snag as he saw two men running down the hallway towards him.

“I didn’t want to have to do this, Ros,” he snarled in her ear as he left go of her with one arm and reached around his back. “It’s all your fault; all the horrible things you make me do because you don’t listen…” She felt something cold and hard against her head as Marcus and a very tall, very wide man that she had never seen before stopped several feet in front of her. She saw the looks on their faces and she knew that Rob had just put a gun to her head.

“Don’t come any closer,” he said evenly, pressing the barrel into her temple harder. She cried out a little and Marcus’s eyes flickered with frustration and helplessness as the horrified sound filtered into his ears.

“She goes with me alive or she stays here dead; you choose,” Rob said coldly, squeezing Roslyn tighter against him.

“It doesn’t have to be like this Rob,” the unknown man said, his voice surprisingly higher pitched than his large frame would imply. “Just let her go and things won’t be so bad for you.” A maniacal laugh came out of Rob’s mouth, sending a shudder through Roslyn’s body.

He’s insane; he’s going to kill me. Somebody help me! She screamed so loud in her mind, but the words were unable to come out of her mouth.

“Big Mike is right, man. Just let her go and we’ll make sure you don’t go down for something you didn’t do,” coaxed Marcus, hoping the negotiation tactics would work. They should have known better though….

“Now why would I let her go,” Rob responded, brushing his lips against Roslyn’s neck. “She wants to with me, don’t you baby?” He licked her neck, rubbing the gun free hand up her body and across her breasts, squeezing the left one territorially. “Don’t you?” he asked again, pressing the gun even harder against her head. She tried to nod her head up and down, but any signal her brain was trying to send to her body was not going through.

“Say it,” Rob ordered, shaking her.

“Y-yes,” she stammered, feeling like she was going to urinate all over herself.

“There you have it; now call off the thugs I’m sure you have waiting outside for me and we’ll be on our merry little way,” he instructed them, waving the gun at Marcus and Big Mike as he said it. Marcus flipped his phone open, telling whoever was on the other end to go back into the club through the front entrance and wait for him there.

He and Big Mike stood like statues, in shock that the scene in front of them was unfolding this way. They were supposed to protect her, but had no way of doing it. They knew a guy with a gun called all the shots; until they could outsmart him that is. They watched Rob back his way out the door leading to the employee parking lot, and as soon as he disappeared through it, Marcus and Big Mike took off running back into the club.

“What’s going on? Why did you call us off?” another large man asked as Marcus came towards him. He was just as tall as Big Mike, 6’ 2” or so, but weighed about 100lbs less. He appeared to be a very athletic man, with muscles giving definition to the tight fitting t-shirt he was wearing.

“He’s got her Trey,” Marcus shouted as he ran past the burly man in his middle twenties. “Car, NOW!” Trey, Big Mike, Marcus, Nick, AJ, Serena and Kaci ran out of the night club in time to see a car squeal around the corner and fade out of sight.

“Fuc k!” screamed Marcus as he punched through the pane of glass on the club door and then squatted down on his haunches, wrapping his hands around his head in frustration.

“What happened?” Kaci screamed hysterically, looking around for an answer.

“He had a gun, there was nothing we could have done without risking her life,” explained Big Mike. “Serena, do you have idea where he would take her?” Everyone turned from Big Mike to Serena, staring her down, waiting for her to spill some ground-breaking news that would lead them to Roslyn.

“I-I don’t know,” she squeaked, tears falling freely from her eyes. “I don’t know!” Kaci wrapped her arms around her, she too unable to control her tears.

“It’s okay, See. It’s okay.” She stroked Serena’s hair as she frantically looked in the eyes of each of the males standing before her. “You have to find her. No one else can do it, and we can’t trust the cops here. Find her.”

They all knew it was only a matter of time…before time ran out.

Chapter 9 by Andro
Chapter 9

Chapter 9

 

 

 

            Roslyn looked frantically out the car window as Rob sped through the surface streets of downtown Memphis.  It looked to her like they were about a mile from The Blue Note, apparently heading towards the interstate. 

 

            Where is he taking me?  What do I do?  She reached down towards the floor to grab her purse which contained her cell phone, only to realize that she had been unable to get it before Rob dragged her out of the dressing room.  She also didn’t have shoes, which she knew would slow her down in the event that she could find a way to escape. 

 

            “Rob, you have to let me go,” she told him, talking loudly, hoping he wouldn’t hear the click the lock made as she unlocked her door.  “You could keep driving north until you hit Canada; the cops can’t get you there.  Just let me out and you can be free.”  She pleaded with him, reasoning with his common sense.  Just let me go Rob!  Let me go! 

 

            He sat there silently, a look of mocking on his face, obviously enjoying her pathetic attempts at negotiating with him.  He kept his eyes focused on the road ahead though, as it had started raining quite heavily and the visibility on the road was diminished. 

 

            “Rob, please,” she whimpered, unable to control her hysteria any longer.  I’m going to die.  I’m never going to be able to get away.  “Let me go.”  He still didn’t look at her, or even acknowledge that she was talking to him.  He kept that smug smile painted on his face though, enraging Roslyn even more.  “LET ME OUT OF THIS FUCKING CAR YOU BASTARD!” she screamed at the top of her lungs, her throat burning from the force, causing her to cough as soon as the last syllable left her mouth. 

 

            Rob began laughing, that same maniacal laugh that he sported back at the club, and once again, Roslyn’s blood ran cold.  He was laughing so hard he didn’t see the cars slamming on their breaks in front of him, nor did notice Roslyn’s demeanor change as she realized this was her chance to get away.  As Rob pressed the brake pedal down as fast as he could, Roslyn yanked the handle on the door and pushed all her weight against it.  The door flew open, wilder than usual from the force of the car slowing to a stop so quickly, and she leapt from the vehicle just before the front of Rob’s car smashed into the back of the car in front of his. 

 

            She hit the pavement hard, rattling every bone in her body, as she tucked and rolled, going with the gravitational pull.  She felt her body hit the curb, and then, with great difficulty, she lifted herself off the ground and took off down the sidewalk in the direction of the club, the last place she knew the people who could help her were.  She did not make it far though, collapsing on the sidewalk eight blocks from the accident, the rain pelting down on her as she struggled unsuccessfully to get to her feet again.  She knew she couldn’t afford to give up, having no idea if Rob was right behind her or not, but she couldn’t lift herself off the ground anymore.

 

            “Nick,” she cried softly, a river of blood mixed with rain running down the sidewalk in front of her.  “Help me.”

 

 

 

 

            Ten minutes had passed since they watched Rob’s car tear off down the road, and they had called the one officer they knew they could trust, Officer Meeks.  She was the first officer that had shown up at Roslyn’s apartment earlier that morning, and she was in no way affiliated with Rob or his interests.  Kaci and Serena remembered her as well, not from this morning, but as one of the officers working Randy and Diane’s case, their murder case.  They knew she could be trusted, and they knew she would whatever she could to help Roslyn. 

 

            “Thank you for coming Officer Meeks,” said Serena as the officer got out of her car.  “We didn’t know who else to call.”

 

            “Please, call me Kate,” she answered, grabbing her walkie-talkie out of the car before slamming the door shut.  “And you were right to call me; I have my suspicions too.”  She stopped talking as some noise came though the walkie-talkie, everyone turning silent, trying to figure out what they were hearing. 

 

            “We’ve got something,” yelled Kate after giving a 10-4 into the walkie-talkie.  “There was an accident on Monroe about seventeen blocks from here involving a maroon colored sedan matching the description you gave me of the car Rob was driving.”  She started running back to her squad car, but Nick grabbed her by the arm.

 

            “There’s no word about a female passenger,” was all she said as she slid into the car and pulled the door shut.  Officer Meeks sped down the road with her lights flashing and siren blaring, leaving everyone else behind as the rain began falling harshly on them. 

 

            Before a word could be spoken, Nick took off running down the street in pursuit of the police car.  Five blocks later he could see the traffic already backed up from the accident and he kept running towards it, pushing people out of his way as he went past them. 

 

            “Roslyn!  ROSLYN!”  He was shouting her name, but he didn’t remember telling his brain to do it; the two syllables flying out of his mouth on their own.  “Roslyn, I’m coming….just hang on.  I’m coming!”

 

            Four blocks later he ran into Officer Meeks, which puzzled him since they were still eight blocks away from the accident. 

 

            “Nick, did you run all the way down here?” she asked him, the answer obvious from his labored breathing and his soaking wet body. 

 

            “Where….is….she?” he asked, saying each word in between breaths. 

 

            “I don’t know yet,” Kate answered, staring down at the sidewalk.  Nick looked down too, noticing traces of blood that were just being washed away from the rain.  “What was she wearing when she left the club?”  The tone in her voice was urgent, leading Nick to believe that the answer to that question was of the utmost importance. 

 

            “I, I didn’t see her, but Marcus and Big Mike did,” he stammered as he dug his cell phone out of his pants pocket.  “A hot pink tank top over a bright yellow tank top and a pair of gray shorts,” he yelled at Officer Meeks, the phone still up to his ear. 

 

            “Then we know she was involved in the accident; a piece of her pink tank top was caught on the bottom edge of the passenger side door,” responded Kate gravely.  “I would bet anything that she was right here no more than two minutes ago.  Are you sure you didn’t pass her as you were running down here?”

 

            “I didn’t see her!” Nick yelled, looking around at the crowd that had gathered, searching the faces for the one he needed.  Then it hit him, the question he should have asked right away, but his mind was so focused on Roslyn, not her attacker.  “Where is Rob?” 

 

            “There was blood on the steering wheel and the windshield was cracked; the blood is being sent to the lab as we speak to see if it’s Rob’s, but as of right now, he’s gone too.”  Nick uttered a few explicatives, his frustration that Roslyn was right here and now gone getting the better of him. 

 

            “We’ll find him Nick,” said Kate reassuringly.  “From the amount of blood in that car there is no way he will be able to keep running without seeking some sort of medical attention first.  We’ll get him.” 

 

            “Before or after he gets her?” Nick added, his throat closing at the thought.  He’s hurt her enough already, and I’ll be damned if he’s going to do it again.

 

            Officer Meeks pretended to blow off his comment, but she too wondered what the answer to that question would be.  “I’ve got a call in to all the hospitals and medical centers in the area; if anyone matching either Rob or Roslyn’s description comes in, I’ll be notified.  But neither one of them could have gotten far if they are injured, so I think our best bet is to look between here and the club.”  She paused for a moment and then added, “And from the looks of it,” she said, pointing to the spot where the blood had been, “she’s making her way back to where she knew you were, back towards the club.” 

 

            Nick didn’t have to be nudged twice; he took off running back towards the club, his cell phone back up to his ear again as he told Marcus what Kate had said.  “I’ll be back there in about five minutes; I’m going to go down this street….uh…Freemont,” he said as he looked up at the street sign.  “Maybe she took a different way so Rob couldn’t find her.” 

 

            He flipped his phone shut and ran across the street, off the main road onto a much dimmer Freemont Street.  He ran all the way down it, then turning left onto another street that he couldn’t see the name of because the street light was burned out.  He peered down every alley, looking in every door way, eyeing every person he passed along the way, calling her name as he did so.  He wasn’t sure exactly where he was until he saw the illuminated sign for The Blue Note, and he realized that he was on the backside of the building. 

 

            “Mother fucker!” he yelled, upset that he was back at the club and had seen no sign of her. 

 

            “Nick, was that you that just screamed?” Marcus chirped into the two-way, causing Nick to jump a little.  “Yeah, I’m coming up to the back entrance; no sign of her.”

 

            As he walked up to the back door of the club, the light above it shone on a figure crumpled on the ground.  “Marcus, guys, get back here!” he screeched into his two-way as he ran full speed toward the huddled mass.  “Hurry!”

Chapter 10 by Andro
Author's Notes:
I am having so much fun writing this story...I hope you all are enjoying it as much as I am! Here's the next installment...leave me some love! ;)
“Fuck!  Fuck fuck fuck!  What the hell do I do?”  Rob stumbled away from the accident only minutes before the police cars with the sirens that had sounded so distant moments ago were on the scene.  He knew they would be looking for him because of this whole Roslyn problem and he refused to be caught, at least until he had taken care of her once and for all.  But now, not only would they be after him because of her, they would also be after him because he was now guilty of leaving the scene of an accident, an accident that for the most part was his fault.  His hole kept getting deeper and deeper; but instead of just getting out now, his deranged mind decided he might as well do the most damage he could since he was sure to go down in flames anyway. 

 

            He put his hand on his forehead, the pain so unbearable he faltered as he walked, crashing onto the road in front of him.  He pulled his hand away from his head, only to find it covered in blood, his blood, his forehead cracked right open from hitting the windshield.  That accident had been a big one, and he was surprised he was able to walk away from it. 

 

            “I’ve got to get this fixed,” he said as he pulled out his cell phone from his pocket.  It rang a few times before a male said hello on the other end.  “J, it’s Rob, I’m outside Barley and Hops, come pick me up…and bring your first aid bag.” 

 

            “Are you okay man?  What’s going on?”  Jerome, or J as Rob called him, had been Rob’s best friend since high school.  He moved here with Rob from New York, working for Rob’s firm and acting as his partner in crime whenever the situation called for it, although J was usually kept in the dark that an actual crime was taking place.  This time would prove no different if Rob could help it.

 

            “I just had a little accident and my head is bleeding; I slipped and hit my head on the edge of the stairs outside.  Just hurry okay?”  He didn’t even give J time to respond, he just shut his phone and tried to think of what to do next. 

 

            I’ll have to borrow Jerome’s car, since the cops are looking for mine and that stolen car is totaled.  Just thinking about all his effort to find the perfect car to steal and then wrecking it only hours later pissed him off to no end.  No one would have even noticed that car gone for days; it was just too perfect, making it just another thing that bitch ruined for me. 

 

            His thoughts were interrupted by the sound of an approaching car, and he quickly ducked into the shadows of the doorway so he wouldn’t be seen.  As the car slowed in front of the pub Rob peered out from his hiding place, and, after breathing a sigh a relief that it was Jerome, ran towards the car. 

 

            “Jesus Christ Rob, what the hell did you do?” exclaimed Jerome as Rob climbed into his car and he got a good look at Rob’s head. 

 

            “I told you; I hit my head on the steps, no big deal.  Just get me away from here and cleaned up,” Rob ordered through gritted teeth.  The less you know the better J; for your own good. 

 

            Ten minutes later Rob was sitting in his friend’s living room allowing J to clean and bandage the wound on his head.  “You might need stitches Rob; are you sure you don’t want me to take you to the hospital?” 

 

            If you take me to the hospital I will get caught you idiot.  I’m sure the cops have already put an alert out for me. “Is that your professional opinion or just that of a caring friend?” Rob asked with a grin on his face.  No sense in being rude and grumpy with him; for one, he won’t buy it, and two, I need his help. 

 

            “Both, I guess,” he responded, a little concerned.  Jerome, along with being Rob’s right hand man at the consulting firm, was a certified EMT; which was a big reason why Rob called him for help.  He knew Jerome would be able to patch him up and he could forgo the hospital. 

 

            “J, I’m fine.  I actually have some work to do tonight so I can’t spend the rest of it waiting in the ER for a few stitches.”  Please believe me, please believe me.  It appeared that Jerome did, so Rob took the opportunity that had presented itself to get something else he needed from his friend.  “And since my car is in the shop, I was hoping I could borrow yours.  Is that cool?”

 

            The truth was that his car was parked in a storage unit and had been since he arrived back in Memphis earlier that afternoon.  He couldn’t take the chance of someone seeing it, and since he had burned down the apartment complex he lived in there was no garage for him to park it in. 

 

            He waited for his friend to answer, puzzled as to what was taking so long.  Jerome was the go-to guy, he never said no to Rob, so why would he start now? 

 

            “J?  Is it cool?”

 

            “Shhh,” J responded, straining to hear the police scanner that was sounding in the background. 

 

            “Black male, 6’ 1”, short black hair, brown eyes, muscular build, last seen wearing a gray t-shirt, dark wash blue jeans and dark shoes, believed to be armed and dangerous, with possible facial injuries caused by a car accident he was involved in before fleeing the scene.  Suspect’s name is…..”

 

            The scanner hit static as the dispatcher was about to name him as the suspect, but he had not been saved.  Rob looked down at his blood stained clothes; the gray t-shirt, the dark jeans, the dark shoes.  He brought his hand up to his head, feeling the bandage that Jerome had just finished attaching. He was made, and the look on his friend’s face told him that he had made him too, just as the rest of the city had. 

 

            He watched his friend open his mouth, he could tell Jerome wanted to ask, to find out what was going on, but nothing came out.  He stared at Rob in disbelief, disbelief that his friend of over 10 years was capable of the things he was being accused of over the police scanner. 

 

            “Also looking for Caucasian female, 5’4”, long brown hair, green eyes, approximate weight 150, last seen wearing a pink tank top and gray shorts.  She is believed to be involved in the accident as well, but is not  willingly with the suspect.  She answers to the name Roslyn Bushman.”

 

            And that cemented it; Jerome had heard far too much to just pretend it was a mistake and lie his way out of this.  God dammit! Rob screamed inside, dreading the inevitable.  He now had a decision to make; a very important decision that would change his fate either way: tell Jerome everything and make him a part of the plan…..or get rid of him. 

 

           

 

 

Chapter 11 by Andro
Author's Notes:
Shocking...but it will be okay!
“Rob….what the f uck is going on?”

Rob, what the f uck is going on? Simple enough question…but do I tell him what’s going on? Once he knows, he can’t just turn away, so is it really in his best interest to tell him what the f uck is going on? And that look on his face—God! I doubt whether or not he could actually handle what’s going on.

“Rob, answer me!” In most circumstances Jerome would be considered a calm, cool and collected guy, but this was not one of the those circumstances. His ability to remain that way was severely inebriated by what he had just heard over the police scanner, and even more so by the guilty yet satisfied look on his best friend’s face. Who is this guy and what has he done with Rob? I don’t know this person at all!

“Jerome, listen to me,” Rob began, making his decision and carrying it out. “I’m not really sure what to tell you, or how much to tell you, because I don’t want you to be involved in this anymore than you want to be.”

“Anymore than I want to be?” Jerome spat back at him, his feelings changing from fear and anxiety to anger and astonishment. “You called me! You have obviously committed some serious crime and now I’m an accomplice! You dragged me into this and now I can’t just turn away, no matter what more you tell me!” He stopped talking abruptly, covering his head with his hands and staring down at the floor in front of him. He couldn’t get out of this now, but could he really go further into it either?

Boy, when he’s right he’s right, thought Rob wryly as he eyed his friend suspiciously. Jerome, sensing what Rob was doing, began talking again.

“Listen man, we’ve been best friends for how long…what eleven years or so? I still remember that day in eleventh grade when I scored that touchdown instead of you and I thought you were going to kick my a ss. We’ve had each other’s backs ever since….and I’m not about to change that now.”

What is he saying? Is he actually inviting me to bring him into this whole mess? Is he actually comparing the sh it I am into now to a High School football game? God, what am I doing? He doesn’t deserve this!

“J, I know what you mean, but I can’t let you do this. It’s some pretty bad stuff, stuff that you don’t deserve, and I—“

“You called me,” Jerome said, interrupting Rob. “Something told you that I would be able to help you; that’s why you called me. You knew you would be able to count on me…because you can count on me. You’ve helped me through some really sticky sh it before too man, so don’t think whatever it is you’re talking about will scare me off. I’m in, no if’s, and’s or but’s.”

Whatever you say man…see you in he ll! “Okay, well then here’s what’s going down.” Rob told Jerome everything, and much to Rob’s surprise, his friend sat there in silence the entire time, his face basically expressionless, his body unflinching, until Rob had finished rehashing the entire sordid affair, in his words that is.

“We need to get you away from here,” was the first thing Jerome said after several minutes of silence. “I’ll buy a plane ticket under my name and you will take the first flight away from here.”

“I’m not leaving, not until I finish what I started.” The look in Rob’s eyes was cold, dark, and completely void of any normal, natural, human emotion. He appreciated his friend’s willingness to help, but if running away was his answer then it was not for him. Rob sat for a minute, thinking about what Jerome had said, revising the plan a little.

“We could buy plane tickets as a diversion, but we are staying here. I need to hide out until I can come up with a new plan. If I lay low for a day or so then maybe the guard will be lowered and the strike will be easier.” In fact, if I make them think I have left town, they will still go ahead with the wedding on Saturday. If I wait until then to make my next move, I just may be able to get what I want.


*****************************************


She knew she was right outside The Blue Note, a few feet away from someone that could help her. Her body hurt all over, two of her wounds still bleeding freely, her strength and energy depleted.

“Help,” she squeaked as she reached her hand out, struggling to press the doorbell just inches from her fingertip. If she could just press that button, someone inside the club would hear it and come to the door. She pushed herself up on her knees a little more, thrusting her body forward until her finger jammed into the doorbell. She teetered on her knees for a moment, just as a person who had just been shot does before they fall dead onto the ground.

“Help me,” she whispered one more time before she felt her body crumble towards the hard, cold, wet ground beneath her.

“I’ve got you baby, I’ve got you,” cried Nick as he caught her listless body before it hit the ground. Seconds later the crew, being Serena, Kaci, AJ, Marcus, Big Mike and Trey, came running around the building, incredulous to the sight in front of them.

Serena was the first to react, kneeling down in front of her friend. “Roslyn, baby, Roslyn, wake up Ros, wake up honey, talk to me, Ros, please.” Serena sobbed as she ran her hands over Roslyn’s hair and face. “Oh my God,” she screamed as she pulled her hands away and saw them covered in blood. “Help her god dam mit, someone do something!”

Marcus had not even shut his cell phone yet and they could already hear the approaching ambulance’s siren down the block. Trey pulled Serena away from Roslyn’s body, comforting her as best he could while she repeated that same phrase over and over.

“She’s not dead…please tell me she’s not dead,” Kaci pleaded as she buried her face in AJ’s chest.

“Come on baby, you’re safe now; I’ve got you. You’re in my arms, where you always should have been; please wake up.” Nick gently rubbed her face with his hand, rocking her unresponsive body back and forth. “Please don’t leave me Ros,” he cried, as sobs erupted from his mouth. “I swear to God I will love you more than Rob ever did, just give me a chance! Don’t leave me.”

Marcus bent down and lifted her limp right arm up, placing his fingers around her wrist. “I can’t feel a pulse,” he said quietly, gently setting her arm back down by her side. “It’s too late; she’s gone.”

“No she’s not!” screamed Nick as he squeezed her tighter. “She’s not dead! Wake up Ros! She’s not dead….” His body quaked with uncontrollable sobs as he clung helplessly to Roslyn’s lifeless body.

They all watched the tragedy before them, the life of someone they loved being taken from them prematurely.

“The ambulance is here,” said AJ softly as the vehicle pulled into the parking lot and the paramedics hopped out. “Let her go Nick; let them get her,” he said gently, as he tried to pry Nick’s arms away from her body. The paramedics, being subjected to difficult situations like this, took over, and Nick reluctantly released her from his grip, his heart breaking as he looked at her flaccid remains, all of his dreams dying right along with her.

“We were going to have beautiful babies,” he sobbed as he turned away from her, unable to watch the paramedics working on her any longer. “I was going to love her for all eternity; it wasn’t supposed to end like this.” AJ ran over to him, almost tackling him as he wrapped him up in a hug.

“I know buddy, I know.” They held onto each other in the pouring rain, both of them mourning the loss together, but in different ways.
Chapter 12 by Andro
“Clint, I’ve got something,” one of the EMT’s announced to his partner, Evan, as they began working on Roslyn. “I’ve got a weak pulse and shallow breathing; we need to bag her and get her to BMH right away.” Clint and Evan rapidly carried out the necessary procedures in order to safely transport Roslyn to the near by Baptist Memorial Hospital, not listening or giving any regard to the crowd of people who were under the impression that Roslyn was dead.

As they loaded her fragile body into the ambulance, Kaci walked away from the crowd who had huddled underneath the overhang of the building seeking protection from the rain and tentatively approached Clint, tears still fresh in her eyes.

“Where are you taking her?” she asked, her voice cracking midway through the sentence. “I’m her cousin,” she quickly added, noticing the hesitation the EMT’s had at giving her the information.

“Baptist Memorial, m’am,” Clint responded in a sweet, southern drawl. Kaci swallowed hard, finding the next question she had to ask even more difficult to articulate.

“And how l-long until sh-she, I mean w-we can, umm, well, th-the morgue—“

“The morgue?” Clint asked, completely confused and a little impatient. “We aren’t taking her to the morgue; we’re taking her to the ER. Excuse me, we really have to go.” He didn’t wait for her to respond, he just hopped in the back of the ambulance, closing the doors tightly before the sirens and lights started back up again and the vehicle pulled quickly out of the parking lot.

Kaci stood there, awestruck by what she had just been told. Had they thought wrong? Was Roslyn not dead? She tried to piece together in her mind the knowledge she had been given with some sort of logic.

If she was dead, they wouldn’t take her to ER, would they? I mean, a doctor would have to pronounce her officially dead, but would they do that in emergency room? And Marcus said he didn’t feel a pulse, but was he wrong? She was so confused, her heart was mourning, but she was unwilling to let go of that glimmer of new hope that had entered her thoughts.

She felt a pair of hands on her shoulders, and she turned around quickly, ready to spread the hope around. “Alex, I don’t think she is dead.”

“Kaci, don’t do this to yourself,” he said softly. “Marcus couldn’t feel a pulse.”

“Since when is Marcus a trained medical professional?” she retorted, tears of frustration replacing her tears of sadness. “She had a breathing bag over her mouth when they put her in the ambulance! Why would they put a breathing bag over a dead person’s mouth? And he said they aren’t taking her to the morgue they are taking her to ER!” Kaci was yelling by this point, desperate for Alex to believe her, but even more desperate for what she was saying to be true.

Alex stood silent for a moment, trying to determine if what Kaci was saying held any merit, or if was simply just a grief-stricken woman’s last ditch attempt at holding on. “I guess there is only one way to find out,” he finally replied, realizing that he wanted it to be true just as much as she did. It hurt Kaci immensely when her aunt and uncle were killed, and to add her best friend to that list would change her forever; he needed Roslyn to be alive, not only for himself, but for Kaci…and Nick.

Kaci gave him a slight smile as a few new tears slipped out of her eyes. “They took her to BMH,” she said softly as she dug her car keys out of her purse. “What do we tell everyone else?” she asked, looking over at the bodyguards, Nick and Serena.

“We tell them the truth,” replied Alex simply as he walked back over towards everyone else. “We should get over to the hospital right away; we may have been wrong about Roslyn.”

As soon as what came out of his mouth was processed by Nick’s brain, his face lit up with anticipation and desperation. At seeing this, Alex immediately doubted whether he should have said anything. He didn’t know how Nick would be able to handle a second blow if they weren’t wrong.

“What do you mean?” Nick asked, his voice slightly excited and his breathing becoming rapid. “Wrong?”

“Based on what the paramedics said and what Kaci saw as she was talking to them, it didn’t seem like Ros was…dead,” Alex responded, finding the last word very difficult to say. “We just don’t know, so we want to get over to the hospital now so we can get confirmation either way.”

Trying to explain all this to everyone staring at him seemed surreal; he felt like he was having an out of body experience. Never in his life had he gone through something like this, nor had anyone else involved, and the toll it was taking on all of them was unbelievable.

Twenty minutes later the group was assembled in the waiting room outside the Emergency unit, doing exactly what the room implied—waiting. They had learned that Roslyn was alive, but no more than that. After ten minutes, Big Mike, Trey and Marcus got up, causing everyone else to break free of the zone they were in and look at them questioningly.

“I think it would be best for us to keep working on this Rob thing,” Trey said gingerly, feeling like he was intruding by sitting in the waiting room with Roslyn’s family and friends. He didn’t know her, other than that he was here to protect her, which so far he had failed to do, and it was weighing on him heavily.

“I agree too,” said Marcus, finding it hard to look anyone in the eye. Nick picked up on it and felt like he needed to set things right.

“Hey man,” he whispered, nudging Marcus in the side gently. “You’re a bodyguard, not a doctor; you couldn’t have known, and no one blames you.” Marcus just shook his head, knowing Nick was right, but he couldn’t help feeling like he had caused everyone so much unwanted pain.

“I’m sorry guys, for being wrong, but I will fix it. We’ll find Rob and whether it be through us or the court system, justice will be served…I’m just not sure by which one yet,” he vowed forcefully. Big Mike and Trey nodded their heads in agreement, and then the three men were gone, hell-bent on giving Roslyn and everyone else some piece of mind.

Over an hour later, a young Latino looking doctor that reminded everyone a lot of Howie came walking down the corridor. “Family of Roslyn Bushman?” Everyone nodded, and the doctor smiled warmly at them. “I’m Doctor Filpano. When Ms. Bushman was brought in, she had a deep laceration on her side just under the rib cage and another laceration, not quite as severe, on her upper left arm near her shoulder. These wounds had bled out heavily before her arrival here and she was about a quart low on blood, but we were able to successfully complete a blood transfusion to replenish what she had lost.”

He paused for a moment, making sure everyone was following him, and then he continued.

“Her body temperature was also quite a bit lower than normal, which wasn’t surprising since she was soaked to the bone and had obviously been in the rain for a while, but we were able to raise that safely as well. We stitched the two lacerations and she is resting comfortably right now, we are just waiting on the X-rays and a few other test results to come back,”

“Can we see her?” Kaci asked, an enormous sadness being lifted from her instantaneously.

“We gave her some pain medication and she is pretty out of it, so she may be incoherent, but I am sure she would welcome some familiar faces. She seemed very frightened when she regained consciousness.” Dr. Filpano directed them towards her room and then left after reassuring them that when any more information was available, he would let them know. They were about to walk into Roslyn’s cubicle when Officer Meeks came running up behind them, breathless and insistent.

“Kaci, Serena” she stammered, trying to catch her breath, “what do you know about Jerome Johnson?”

“He works for Rob’s company and they’ve been best friends since high school,” responded Serena, a little puzzled as to what Jerome had to do with this. He was a nice guy, unlike Rob, and she hadn’t even objected when Roslyn tried to set them up. They went on a few dates, and seemed to hit it off, but the sparks had never been there and both decided it would be better just being friends. “Why What does he have to do with this?”

“I think he’s helping Rob, hiding him I mean. Who else would Rob go to for help besides his best friend? I am going to head over there and check it out, but I was hoping those big guys would come with, where did they go?”

“They are out trying to dig up some information; I’ll call Marcus and tell him to meet you….where?” said AJ, feeling like maybe this was the break they needed. She shouted the address to Jerome’s house behind her as she ran down the corridor and disappeared into the darkness outside.
Chapter 13 by Andro
“What is taking them so long?” Kate wondered as she waited impatiently inside her squad car that was parked down the street from Jerome Johnson’s house for Marcus, Big Mike and Trey to show up. She had only been there for three minutes, but the anxiety and apprehension she felt made it seem so much longer. She was so nervous about walking up to the house and nosing around outside of it; she feared what would happen if Rob was there…and if he caught her.

A moment later she saw headlights coming up behind her parked car, and then they quickly disappeared. They flashed on and off two more times, the signal to Kate, and she quickly exited her vehicle and walked towards the car that parked a few hundred yards behind hers. Now that she was not by herself anymore a wave of confidence washed over her, and she began feeling excited about the police work she was about to partake in.

“Hey guys, thanks for coming,” she whispered to Marcus, Trey and Big Mike as they exited their vehicle and started walking with Kate back towards Jerome’s house. “From what I’ve seen so far, the house is completely dark and I haven’t noticed any signs of movement coming from inside.” Marcus nodded his head, his way of acknowledging what Kate had said and then he pointed to Trey and Big Mike.

“You two go around that way,” he instructed, pointing his finger away from them and towards the right side of the house. “Kate and I will go around this way,” he explained, pointing around the left side of the house. The foursome split up and the two groups cautiously slipped out of sight around the corners of the house.

As Kate and Marcus approached the backside of the house, a sudden movement caught the corner of Kate’s eye, causing her to turn abruptly with her weapon drawn. In one swift movement, she was facing the unknown suspect with her gun pointed at the person’s head yelling for him or her to get down on the ground. Hearing her yell, Big Mike and Trey came bounding around the house to see what the commotion was about.

“Dale?” hissed Kate as her eyes focused in dark night on the person standing in front of her. “What are you doing here?” she asked him, knowing he was not on duty right now. Dale, or Officer Brooks, as he usually went by, swallowed hard as Kate slightly lowered her gun and waited for an explanation.

“I came here to see Rob,” he began, lowering his hands from the air and picking up the bag he had dropped.

“I knew it,” barked Marcus. “I knew you were dirty; you’re working with him aren’t you?”

“I was helping him; but I’m not anymore. I didn’t know it was going to go this far!”

“How were you helping him Dale?” Kate prodded, stepping in between him and Marcus, who was ready to right cross Dale in the face.

“He said he needed me to make sure nothing fell back on him if some criminal activity started happening around him. He just said it would involve his girlfriend and he was trying to teach her a lesson. It was supposed to be pretty harmless stuff though!” His voice was pleading, the desperation he felt was apparent as he tried his hardest to convince his audience of the truth.

“You call burning down an entire apartment building HARMLESS?” Kate screeched, not buying his innocent behavior. “You are a police officer and a grown man! What were you thinking?”

“I didn’t know it would come to this,” he insisted. “If my wife pulled the stunts that his girlfriend was, I would want to teach her a lesson too! I was just trying to help him out!”

“What stunts was Roslyn pulling?” Marcus asked, skepticism clinging to every syllable. He was sure that whatever Rob had told Officer Brooks was a blatant lie, and he was more than ready to set the record straight for this shady cop.

“He said she was fooling around on him and disobeying him, lying to him, stuff like that. Stuff that no man should have to put up with from the woman they love!”

“You are such an idiot,” chided Kate, shaking her head in astonishment and beating Marcus to the punch. “Did you know that none of that is true? Did you know that Rob abuses Roslyn? Did you know that her ‘disobeying’ him means that she didn’t cook the vegetables the way he wanted for dinner?” Dale stood there, unmoving and silent, ashamed at what he helped facilitate.

“I didn’t know any of that,” he whispered. “I can’t believe he lied to me.”

“Did you really think that someone who wanted the law to turn the other cheek when crimes are committed would be a very honest person?” Kate retorted, unscathed by the remorse in Dale’s words.

“I came here to tell him I wouldn’t do it anymore. He almost killed that poor girl tonight for Christ’s sake!” Officer Brooks spoke quietly, almost as if he was telling himself the story instead of everyone else. He held up the bag that was dangling in his hand for Kate to take. “This is the money he gave me for helping him.” After she took it from him, he turned around, putting his hands behind his back and waited for the inevitable.

“Dale Brooks, you have the right to remain silent,” Kate began, slapping a pair of handcuffs around Dale’s wrists and leading him to her squad car. By the time they reached the vehicle she was finished with her legal spiel and he silently slid into the backseat of the squad car.

“Now what?” asked Marcus as Kate shut the car door and leaned against it. “Obviously Rob isn’t here, and that dipshit must not know where he is because he came here looking for him too, so where does that leave us?”

“Well, I’ll get a warrant to check his and Jerome’s credit card activity; hopefully it will lead us in the direction they went. Other than that, I don’t know.” She was being glaringly frank and honest, and it pained them all to know what she was saying was true. They all knew they had nothing to go on, no way of knowing where Rob was, and no way of protecting Roslyn any better than they already were.
Chapter 14 by Andro
“This is Officer Kate Meeks from the Nashville Precinct 3, badge number 80576, calling an alert. After receiving credible information, we believe a suspect and an accomplice may be passengers on your aircraft headed towards British Columbia. Please be advised, the suspect is extremely dangerous.” Kate inhaled sharply, having said all that in one breath, before she continued. She advised the airline of the situation and instructed them on what to do if they found Rob and Jerome.

“Canadian authorities have already been notified as well, and will be waiting at the gate to search the aircraft. Thank you for your cooperation.” Kate flipped her phone shut and fell back against her cheap, uncomfortable, station-issued chair at her desk. It seems too easy, she thought, reflecting on the information she had gotten from Jerome’s credit card company.

I highly doubt they would be stupid and careless like that; it must be a diversion. Rob wouldn’t get caught that easily; he’s gone through so much to not be already.

She was quickly pulled out of her reverie by the shrill ring of her cell phone and she grabbed it immediately off the desk and answered it.

“Marcus just told us; Rob’s headed for Canada. At least Ros will be safe now,” the voice, which Kate recognized right away as Kaci’s, said over the other end.

“It will be great news if it’s true, but for right now I wouldn’t count on it. If he were really headed away from here in hopes of hiding, he would have covered his tracks better. Don’t let your guard down, and tell everyone else the same thing.” She paused for a moment and then added one more thing. “Kaci, I think Rob is still in Nashville; and I think he’s just waiting for his next opportunity to strike.”

Kaci was unresponsive for a moment, feeling like her optimism in the situation had been a balloon and Kate had just popped it, viciously, and now all the air was escaping from it, slowly taking away the hope Kaci had left. “I understand,” she finally said, keeping her breathing and tone flat, even though her heart was beating so fast she thought it would fly right out of her chest.

“Do you know how long Ros needs to stay in the hospital?” Kate asked, formulating her next plan of action in her head as she went.

“The Doctor said tomorrow; she could go home now but they figured they’d just keep her overnight since it’s so late and she needs her rest. Marcus and Trey are staying with her tonight, so don’t worry about that,” she added before Kate could ask, and she knew Kate would have.

“Good, at least we can all rest assured knowing Roslyn will be undisturbed tonight. We’ve still got an alert out all over the city for Rob and for Jerome, so if he’s around and shows his face someone is bound to recognize him.” A yawn slipped out of Kate’s mouth as she was talking and then she heard Kaci doing the same thing on the other end. “Listen girl, I think we all need to get some rest. It’s already two in the morning,” she said, glancing at her watch.

“Alright, well, call me if anything changes.” Kate agreed to do just that and after bidding Kaci a goodnight she closed her phone, stood up from her desk and headed towards the door. She was about to walk outside into the parking lot, but a cool breeze blew around her, sending chills up her spine.

“On second thought,” she mumbled to herself, turning around and walking back into the precinct. She got a creepy feeling and she wasn’t about to walk through a darkened parking lot by herself when she had no idea where Rob was.

She made her way into the back room of the office where several cots were laid out, mostly for the detectives to use when they were pulling all-nighters. She lay down, closed her eyes, and within moments she had drifted into a solid slumber; only to be awakened a few hours later by the shrill ring of her phone.


*****************************************************


“She’s at Baptist Memorial,” Jerome said quickly as he flipped his phone shut. “I told them I was her uncle and they gave me all the information on her,” he continued, laughing a little as he said it. He filled Rob in on what the nurse had told him. “She must have been new or something, cause she sure wasn’t very smart about giving out patient info over the phone.”

He leaned back against the couch in the less than half a star motel they had retreated to for the night. A smile of satisfaction was painted across his face and soon Rob joined him. He had wanted to wait until the wedding to make his next move, but knowing that Roslyn was so close within his reach, and already in a weakened state, made it that much more tempting to go to her now. And thanks to his friend, he had that ability.

“I wondered what happened to her after I crashed the car,” Rob began, standing up from the bed he had been perched upon and started pacing the small, dingy, room. With the poorly painted walls, the worn shag carpeting, and the random holes and marks on the walls and furniture it looked like a scene straight out of a movie; Rob’s movie.

“So what now man?” Jerome asked, watching his friend closely. Rob stopped pacing, thought for a moment and then walked over to the couch, staring Jerome dead in the eyes as his lips parted and he began to speak.

“Now, my friend, we pay a visit to the hospital. I’ve heard people like visitors when they are sick.”
Chapter 15 by Andro
Chapter 15



Roslyn awoke suddenly, frantically flipping her head from side to side, her eyes unadjusted to the darkened room she found herself in. She could see a strip of light across the room near the floor, leading her to believe it was a door, but the light didn’t filter through the room enough to help her see in it. She squirmed on the cushy surface she was laying on, swinging her right hand out to the side and then yelping out as an acute pain shot through her hand.

“Ow,” she cried softly, rubbing her sore limb, trying to figure out what she had hit it on. She heard a noise beside her and she froze, afraid of what was happening.

“Roslyn, are you awake?” a voice asked before a lamp turned on and dimly illuminated Roslyn’s surroundings, and the person she hit her hand against.

“Nick,” she mumbled as her eyes fell onto the warmly familiar and welcome face of the man that has ceased to leave her side willingly since his arrival. She glanced around the lit room quickly, allowing the memories of earlier hours to float back into her mind and take the confusion and questions away. “What time is it?” She wiped the corners of her lips and then smacked her mouth open and closed a few times trying to get rid of the cotton-like feeling that she had in it.

“2:30 am,” he responded after looking at his watch. “Here,” he said, handing her a glass of water. “This will help.” She took a few sips of it and her cotton-mouth slowly subsided.

“Thanks,” she said quietly, clearing her throat a little. They were silent for a few minutes, neither one knowing the right thing to say. She remembered him crying for her when he thought she was dead; she remembered the things he had told her, the promises he had made, but now that she was still here, would he still mean them? Should she ask him? She should even let on that she heard him?
Chapter 16 by Andro
“Are you sure this is a good idea?” The question flew out of Jerome’s mouth before he could catch it, and the daggers Rob shot him made it regret it that much more. He couldn’t help it though, the feeling in the pit of his stomach, the feeling that most people follow in order to avoid trouble, was telling him just that; “Get out man, before it’s too late”, but Jerome knew that was out of the question. He couldn’t, or rather didn’t dare, to cross Rob or try and talk him out of this newest “bright” idea. He knew better; self preservation kicked in before anything else.

“You couldn’t seem to come up with anything better, so just shut up and stick to the plan,” Rob snarled at his friend as they continued their walk from the employee parking lot towards the back entrance of the hospital. Jerome went over the plan in his mind again, looking for any serious holes that would surely send him down in flames alongside Rob. He was interrupted halfway through it by Rob nudging him in the side.

“Earth to J, come in J,” he chided with a smart-as s grin on his face. “Got your security badge?” Jerome reached into the pocket of his pants, feeling the smooth, laminated object with his fingertips. Before they had left his place, he and Rob had created fake ID badges, the same ones the hospital staff wears, to allow them safe passage through the corridors of the facility. As long as they had on hospital garb and those badges, they would be free and clear.

“Yeah, I got it, of course,” Jerome responded with a roll of his eyes. Rob always considered himself the smarter of the two, but tonight, Jerome had clearly observed that wasn’t the case. If it hadn’t been for me we would never even have these dam n badges, and then where would we be? I’m not as dumb as you think I am Rob!

The two men casually approached the employee entrance, swiping the barcode on the bottom through the detector and waiting for the buzzer to sound and the door to release, allowing them entry. It did, and the plan was set in motion.

“This way,” whispered Jerome as they entered a hallway, trying to find the way towards the men’s locker room. Jerome knew quite well where to go; his cousin had been a candy striper in this hospital for several years and he had come to visit her on many occasions, thus providing him extensive knowledge of the layout and locations of many of the “staff only” areas in the building.

Rob followed Jerome blindly, trusting his friend to lead him where he needed to go without raising any suspicions. He couldn’t afford to get caught, not this early in the game anyway. Do to me what you will, he thought dryly, but only after my will is done.

It wasn’t until they approached a door that said “locker room” on it that Rob realized he had been holding his breath the whole way down the corridor. He exhaled vehemently, somewhat relieved that they had made it through the hardest part of the journey. Once they were secured inside the locker room, dressing in “their” hospital garb, they were untouchable. No one would bat an eyelash at two doctors, hard at work at Baptist Memorial Hospital.

The hospital was such a large facility; there was no way to know every single employee by name, and that fact played quite well into Rob’s plan. No one would question him or give him the “I don’t know you” look, when there were sure to be several dozen other people, seemingly unknown, wandering around this place at that time of night.

“Green or blue?” Jerome asked, grabbing two pairs of clean scrubs off of the laundry cart.

“Green…it matches my complexion better,” Rob responded, chuckling a little as his own joke. Jerome chimed in, happy to have a little break from the seriousness the evening had bestowed upon him. The two men quickly changed from their street clothes into the scrubs and then carefully tucked their clothes into an empty locker, securing it with a padlock Jerome had brought from his house.

“Alright man, here we go,” said Rob quietly as he turned around and headed towards the door leading back into the hallway. “Let’s find her room.”




The clock on the wall of the brightly lit cafeteria read seven minutes to four, and Nick was on his third cup of hospital grade coffee. The first sip of the first cup almost had him reconsidering his decision, but he soon figured out that with enough sugar, anything was possible. His mind wasn’t exactly focusing on the coffee in all honesty anyway as he sat there contemplating the past twenty-four hours, so he could have been drinking sludge and probably wouldn’t have noticed, or really cared for that matter.

Twenty-four hours ago, I was in Cali, laying in my bed, not able to sleep, thinking about how I was going to see Roslyn in a few days and what I was going to say to her, and now, here I am. How do I always get myself into these less-than-desirable situations?

He had been relatively left with peace and quiet in the almost hour and a half he had been down in the cafeteria, allowing him full, uninterrupted access to his thoughts, but that changed as two men, obviously employees of the hospital entered the room. One was dressed in green scrubs, the other in blue scrubs, and they both had surgical caps on their heads and surgical masks covering their mouths.

They each grabbed a Styrofoam cup from the stack on the counter and proceeded to fill it with coffee out of the pot that had not been freshly brewed in at least the time Nick had been in there.

Doctors never sleep I guess, Nick thought as he turned his attention away from them. They continued to talk amongst themselves and Nick did his best not to listen to them; he had his own problems to worry about.

So much would be fixed if I could just find Rob, he reflected, reverting back to his internal account of his afflictions. Once he’s put away, Roslyn wouldn’t be afraid anymore; she wouldn’t have to worry and we’d be free to move on with, well, whatever we wanted to move on with. He sighed a little, the thought of creating a life with Roslyn seeming a little too out of reach at the present moment.

I know she’s going to need time to get over all the trauma she’s suffered, but I’m going to be there to help her. I want to be there to help her. But what if she isn’t the same person anymore? They say traumatic events can change someone completely; and what if she turns out to not be the Roslyn I fell in love with? But I know the real her! I’ve known her even before Rob came into her life, and I know the person she can be. I’ll just have to help her get back to that again too I guess.

“Dammit Jerome, watch what you’re doing!” Nick was pulled from his thoughts again, this time rather rudely, by the sound of the one of the doctors yelling at the other one. He turned around to look at them and noticed the one, obviously named Jerome, had spilt coffee down the front of the other one’s shirt. “I didn’t realize it was ‘piss on Rob day’,” the doctor continued to scoff, berating his colleague further.

With a handful of napkins, the two men walked past Nick towards the door, and the doctor with the spill on his shirt was manically slapping at the stain with the napkins, but to no avail. He bumped into the table Nick was sitting at his hip as he strolled by, more focused on his shirt than anything else, and then turned around and snarled a “watch it!” to Nick as he passed, refusing to take any of the fault on himself, before walking out of the cafeteria.

For that brief, rude interlude, their eyes locked, striking a bad tune with Nick. What a prick, he thought to himself as he shook his head, trying to blow off the bad attitude that doctor left clouding the room. Remind to never have Doctor Jerome or Doctor Rob be my surgeon; the one is clumsy as an ox and the other acts like someone pissed in his cheerios.

He thought for a moment, wondering why those names sounded so odd rolling off his tongue….then it hit him. “Son of a bitch,” he hissed as he fumbled his cell phone in his hands trying to dial Marcus’s number while his body shook violently, barring him from being speedy about it. When he finally managed to hit the number three on the speed dial he could barely manage to squeak out the urgent message.

“Rob…he’s here!” he screamed into the transmitter, standing up so quickly the table in front of him overturned as he plowed up underneath it.

“Stay there Nick, do you hear me! Stay there! You are not prepared to approach him!” Nick didn’t hear the pleas that Marcus shouted to him though, his phone was on the floor next to the over-turned table and he was already running down the hallway towards Roslyn’s room.
Chapter 17 by Andro
“He recognized us; we’ve got to get out of here,” hissed Rob as he and Jerome exited the cafeteria after their brief encounter with the man they knew as Roslyn’s blond on the side. Jerome nodded his head in agreement and, without going back to the locker room to get their clothes, the two men quickly ducked down one of the service hallways and into the service elevator that would grant them safe passage to a different floor of the hospital, and out of sight from anyone that would be looking for them on Roslyn’s floor.

“Now what?” Jerome breathed heavily as Rob hit a button on the panel and the doors to the elevator closed, concealing them inside. Rob looked at him absurdly, his expression sarcastic and slightly irritated.

“Now what? Now you find us a way out of here so we don’t get caught you idiot! You’re the one who knows this hospital inside out, not me, remember?”

Jerome shook his head slightly and looked away as Rob scolded him yet again. He felt like a little kid being yelled at by his dad, and it was starting to wear on him heavily. I’m not your puppet Rob! Why does he talk to me like that? He is supposed to be my friend. I am so ready to just leave his ass here and let him take the fall by himself! Fucking asshole!

The elevator dinged, rousing Jerome from his thoughts and the two men stepped off the elevator into a dim hallway on the fifth floor, three floors up from Roslyn’s floor.

Now’s who’s the idiot, Jerome thought as he racked his brain for a way out of the hospital. He took us up instead of down! Now by the time we make to ground level the whole hospital is going to be looking for us!

“Well?” Rob inquired. He tapped his foot impatiently as he peered around the corner into the main hallway, looking for a sign that they were already being hunted. He saw no one, something he took as a positive indication. Jerome exhaled loudly, his frustration with Rob and the situation he had gotten them into coming across clearly.

“Let’s go this way,” he instructed, leading Rob down the main hallway towards a door at the far end. “This is the back staircase; it comes out by the loading dock.” He stopped talking for a moment, thinking about the next move. “I don’t know if we’ll be able to make it to the car though.”

He left his statement open-ended, with no solution if they couldn’t get to the car. He had no idea what they would do; they would just have to wing it. Without another word, they two men, still dressed in hospital attire, hastily descended the five flights of stairs, stopping at the bottom landing momentarily to listen for sounds of someone following them.

Rob shook his head from side to side, indicating that he heard nothing and then Jerome opened the door leading out of the stairwell and motioned for Rob to follow him. They made it to the door leading outside by the loading dock and were halfway out of it when they heard shouting from behind them.

Without looking back they bolted out the door and dashed towards Jerome’s car, still parked in the employee lot. Pressing the button on the key ring as they approached the vehicle they heard the car start.

“Thank God for remote starters,” shouted Jerome as the two men jumped into the car, Jerome in the drivers seat and Rob in the backseat on the driver’s side. Jerome thrusted the key into the ignition so he could shift gears and seconds later he was squealing out of the parking lot, taking Rob towards freedom after yet another close call.




Nick pushed the door open to Roslyn’s room slightly, just enough to allow him access into it without making too much noise, closing the door again behind him as he entered. It was still dark in there, even though the sun was rising outside, due in large part to the heavy drapes that covered the windows. He walked over to them, spreading them apart cautiously, allowing the breaking dawn to filter into the room gently.

He gazed at Roslyn, still asleep, completely unaware of the events that had unfolded a few hours ago. He sat down in the rocking chair next to the bed, watching her chest rise and fall as she breathed, listening to quiet sounds of her snoring and the clicking of her IV drip. He debated whether or not to tell her about the unwelcome guest that almost paid her a visit last night, wanting so much to protect and keep her out of harm’s way. He knew she would find out anyway, whether he told her or not, and he wanted her to hear it from him instead of someone else.

He reached his hand towards hers, grasping it gently. It startled her, waking her from the slumber that obviously wasn’t as deep as Nick had thought. Her head jolted away from the pillow as she looked around the room, trying to gain her bearings and familiarize herself with her surroundings.

“Shhh, Ros, it’s me,” he cooed, rubbing her hand softly. She rested her head back against the pillow, relief spreading across her face. She laid there silent for a minute or two, letting her heart rate return to normal and her breathing to slow as well.

“He got away didn’t he?” she asked suddenly, breaking the calming silence that was beginning to fill the cozy hospital room.

Nick wasn’t sure how to respond; he wasn’t even sure how she found out Rob had been there. Had she heard the commotion outside? Had one of the nurses told her? Or did she just know?

“Yeah,” he said quietly, deciding not to question it. “I’m sorry.”

“Good morning Miss Bushman,” a voice said from the doorway, interrupting the conversation Nick was hoping to have with Roslyn. He turned around to see Dr. Filpano walking into the room. “How are we feeling this morning?”

Oh, we are feeling just ducky! Why do they always ask it like that, like there’s more than one of me? God, I’m so ready to get the hell out of here.I’m feeling fine; when can I go home?” Roslyn responded, trying to keep her irritation and sarcasm to a minimum.

Dr. Filpano chuckled a little as he read through the information the nurses had put in her chart throughout the night. “Today sometime, possibly after breakfast,” he told her, still reading the chart. His eyes stopped on one of the pages, and he flipped the page back and forth a couple times, apparently comparing the information on the two pages.
“I’ll be right back,” he told her, taking the chart with him. “I just need to check something over.” Roslyn nodded her head, clueless as to what he was talking about.

“Doctors are so weird,” she said with a giggle after Dr. Filpano had left the room. There was silence again for another minute, neither one of them knowing what to say. Roslyn felt like they needed to finish the conversation they had started last night, as did Nick, but no one wanted to start.

They both opened their mouths to talk at the same time, but before they could say anything, Dr. Filpano returned, chart in hand, interrupting them yet again.

“Miss Bushman, I believe you will be ready for discharge before lunch,” he told her. Roslyn’s irritation subsided slowly as a smile spread across her lips.

“Finally,” she said quietly, shaking her head from side to side and rolling her eyes a little. Dr. Filpano stood there for a moment, clearly anticipating his next choice of words. “Is there something else?” Roslyn asked, watching the doctor closely.

“There is something I need to discuss with you, but I insist that we do it privately,” he said, looking at Nick as he said the last word. Nick looked up at Dr. Filpano, then over at Roslyn before standing up. His expression showed hurt and confusion, and Roslyn’s heart sank a little as she watched him make his way towards the door.

“Hey Nick, will you do me a favor? Call Kaci and let her know I’m being discharged.” Nick smiled at her, knowing that she was trying to make him feel better, trying to make him feel important. He nodded his head, letting her know he would do it, and then exited her room silently.

Roslyn turned her attention back to the doctor, waiting for him to enlighten her with the news that was so important Nick had to leave before she could hear it, but as soon as it came out of his mouth, she wished with all her might it hadn’t.
Chapter 18 by Andro
Author's Notes:
I split this chapter into two parts...I wrote part 1 yesterday and part 2 this morning...I hope you enjoy it!
Chapter 18…Part 1


“Hey, you almost ready?” Roslyn turned towards the door and smiled at her cousin standing there in her wedding dress. I had been two days since Roslyn was released from the hospital, and in a few minutes, Kaci would be walking down the aisle.

“I’ll be right out,” Roslyn responded absently, turning away from Kaci and looking at herself again in the long mirror. She studied the sadness in her own eyes, the dark circles underneath those sad eyes peaking out from under the layers of makeup that had been applied in hopes of hiding them.

She watched herself in the mirror, feeling like she was looking at someone else, someone she had never wanted to become. Her life was not her own anymore, merely a shell that masked what was really lying beneath, concealing the monster in her body that would never cease to exist until she herself ceased to exist. There would be so much now that she would never experience, so much life she would never get to live.

“I wish you would talk to me,” Kaci said softly, watching her cousin looking at herself in the mirror. She saw just what Roslyn was seeing, but she had no comprehension of the cause. All she knew was that her best friend was slipping further and further away from her with each passing day and so far she could not find a way to pull her back.

“Kaci, we’re ready,” the wedding planner announced, peaking her head into the room. Roslyn turned from the mirror, wiping away a lone tear that had made its way down her cheek and followed Kaci to the back entrance of the church where the bridal party lined up.

Just get through this day and then you can leave. Just get through this day. Roslyn kept reminding herself of that as she plastered the best fake smile she could muster on her face while she marched down the aisle in front of Kaci.

“Oh, they look so beautiful.”

“What gorgeous dresses.”

“Beauty runs ramped in that side of the family.”

Roslyn heard the murmurs and comments as she passed, knowing everyone was admiring the wedding in its entirety, but the compliments went in one ear and out the other. Nothing they were saying mattered anymore and none of it would be true down the road anyway.

As she took her spot as the Maid of Honor at the front of the church, she thought back to her conversation with Rob a few hours earlier.

“Jerome, its Roslyn. I know Rob is there with you and I need to talk to him.”

“Why? So the cops can trace the call and find us? I don’t think so.”

“The cops aren’t here Jerome, I’m by myself. I need to talk to him dammit, it is important. For Christ’s sake, he tried to kill me; at least he can talk to me for a minute…I can give him what he wants.”

There was silence for a few seconds, Jerome obviously processing what Roslyn had just told him. “Hang on,” he responded before holding his hand over the speaker and whispering something to Rob. Moments later, she heard his voice on the line, causing her to shudder a little at the sound.

“What’s going on Ros?” He sounded callous and unmoved, but inside he was frantically trying figure out what she was doing.

“Rob, I have no idea what happened between us; I can’t even begin to fathom it. I know I can’t trust you and I know for some reason you want to hurt me, and I know I’m putting myself in danger by even doing this, but I need to see you. I have to talk to you and I can’t do it right now. I need you to meet me somewhere.” Her voice was strong, unfaltering. She wasn’t afraid of him anymore; there was nothing more he could do to hurt her, and if he tried, it would actually be a blessing.

Again, there was silence. Roslyn looked around quickly while she waited for him to answer her; afraid that someone would walk into the room at that moment and question her about whom she was talking to.

After several minutes, he spoke again. “Jerome has a friend that is working at the reception. I’ll meet you by the backdoor of the kitchen.”

“What time?”

“I’ll be waiting there all night.”

“Okay, I’ll get there as soon as I find a chance to sneak away.” Her voice still didn’t falter; she knew she had to tell him, if he didn’t already know that is.

“Aren’t you scared Ros?” His words were meant to intimidate her.

“No, Rob, not anymore.”


She was pulled from her thoughts by Serena jabbing her in the ribs with her elbow. Kaci was holding her bouquet out for Roslyn to take while the exchange of rings took place and Roslyn grabbed it quickly, feeling slightly embarrassed for her lack of attention towards her cousin’s wedding day. She knew they would understand her distraction if she just told them what was going on, but she couldn’t.

It will hurt them when I’m gone, but it will spare them so much more then walking with me through it all.


Chapter 18….Part 2



Roslyn sat at one of the tables surrounding the dance floor as AJ’s and Kaci’s family and friends danced, laughed and celebrated the marital union between two people in love, watching them, despising them for the joy and carefree attitudes they all had at the moment. She wanted to feel like that, but she never would again, that much she knew.

When someone would approach her and ask her for a dance, or inquire about her unwillingness to partake in the festivities, she would mutter some sort of excuse, usually ranging from some lie about being tired or having a headache, to eating too much during dinner, anything that would sound convincing enough but not too serious and allowing them to get off her case. Aside from the constant thought of the less than happy ending she was surely going to receive, she felt fine; the atrocity within her not yet taking its toll on her health, but it would, she knew that too.

She could feel the stares her family was giving her; she was sure they were all talking about her, speculating as to the cause of her sudden change in demeanor. Most of them had very little knowledge of the incidents that had been occurring for the latter part of the week, and Roslyn had no interest or sense of responsibility to tell them; it would all be worked out soon enough anyway.

As she sat at the table, waiting for the opportune moment to sneak away, she contemplated the after-effects of her absence. What are they going to think happened to me? Will they try and find me? She answered her own questions in her head, telling herself whatever she needed to hear to make her decision easier to digest, easier to execute, easier to live with…and die with. One question she had though she found very difficult to answer; it broke her heart just thinking about it.

What will Nick do? He seems to really care for me, but how long will that last? He will probably try to find me, help me like he always does, but I give him two months. After that he will lose interest, someone else will catch his eye, his fancy, and that will be the end of what could have been with us. Not that anything could be with us now, not anymore; I have nothing to give him, nothing he would want anyway, just the same fate as mine; but somehow I don’t think it would be as romantic as the shared fate of Romeo and Juliet.

She continued to allow her own thoughts to consume her, no longer paying any attention to the swirl of the music or the people around her.

“She won’t tell me what the doctor told her,” Nick said softly as he, AJ, Kaci and Serena stepped off the dance floor and walked over towards a quieter corner of the room. They had all been keeping one eye on Roslyn all night long, each of them desperate to know what was happening to their friend. “She gave me some line of crap about the doctor suggesting counseling for the abuse and stuff, but I don’t buy it. The nurse had already talked to her about it, while I was in the room. It doesn’t make sense.”

His voice was tense, harsh, making it painstakingly clear how hard this entire situation was on him. He may have been able to conceal his feelings for Ros before, but they were hidden no longer, nor did he make any effort to try and hide them. There was actually little hidden between this group any more; it was raw, they were raw.

They talked quietly amongst themselves, speculating, guessing, just as everyone else was doing. Kaci, knowing her cousin better than anyone else, felt like there was more to Roslyn’s problem than just Rob and what he did to her. She knew deep down that it would take a lot more than a man to break Roslyn’s spirit; she had already persevered through so much in her life, why quit now?

“She’s leaving,” Serena hissed, breaking up the conversation quickly. They watched Roslyn slip out the door of the reception hall.

“I’m going after her,” Kaci said firmly, taking her first step towards the door.

“No, you’re not,” Nick replied, just as firmly. “This is your wedding and you can’t just leave. I’ll go.” He didn’t wait for a response; he simply walked away, heading quickly towards the door that Roslyn had slipped out of moments ago. When he stepped into the hallway he saw no sign of her, and swearing under his breath he started traipsing down the corridor in search of her. He found her five minutes later.

**************************************************


“Ah, Roslyn, aren’t you a vision in seafoam.” She turned around quickly, peering into the darkened alcove at the back of the kitchen. Like something out of a scary movie, a figure emerged into the light, revealing his identify and instilling terror into the victim in front of him, and this was certainly no different, except Roslyn didn’t feel terror.

“Rob, I see you’ve been studying that box of crayons again. I’m impressed…seafoam.” She looked him straight in the eye as she spoke, showing no signs of fear or any intention of backing down. He glared at her, taken aback by the newfound spunk in her tone. He actually preferred the dossal Roslyn to this bitter, condescending woman in front of him. At least dossal Roslyn didn’t put up much of a fight.

“And I see you’ve grown a pair since our last encounter,” he retorted, referring to her new “ballsy” attitude.

“I told you Rob, I’m not afraid of you anymore, and I’m not standing here right now because I want to be. There’s something we need to talk about, something you need to know.” He spoke before she could go on, taking her breath away as he said it.

“You tested positive.” It came out more as a statement than a question, accompanied by a smug smile plastered on his face

Roslyn reeled back at his verification, hatred towards the man in front of her building like a time bomb inside her. He knew, the whole time he knew, and he did nothing to help me or protect me. My life is ruined because of something he could have prevented!

“You fucking bastard!” she screamed at the top of her lungs as she lunged at him, throwing her fists against his face and his chest repeatedly. At first he seemed to be stunned by her forward attack, he made no attempt to fight back and just let the blows fall where they may, but a few seconds later he snapped out of it and shoved her backwards, her body lurching back into the stainless steel counter behind her.

She braced herself for the impact, bending her arms at the elbow to absorb the shock and she pushed herself off the counter as she hit it. She looked over, saw a large chopping knife within reach and grabbed it, pointing it at Rob before he could make another move. She lunged forward, holding the knife as steady as she could, ready to sink it into his flesh, but he shoved her arm to the side as she approached him, sending the blade swiftly across his abdomen, slicing his shirt and the skin underneath it relatively deep.

“Bitch,” he sneered, wiping his hand over the trail of blood dripping down his stomach to the floor. He raised his bloody hand and swiped the back of it across her face, her feet flying out from underneath her from the force. She landed solidly on the hard, concrete floor, her body making a deep thudding sound on impact.

“Get away from her!” Nick screamed as he came rushing through the kitchen. Rob bent down and grabbed the knife that had flown out of Roslyn’s hand as she fell, swinging it wildly in front of him as Nick charged towards him. Nick batted the knife away as he plowed into Rob, sending Rob toppling backwards onto the ground with Nick on top of him.

The knife had slashed a deep wound on Nick’s palm when he batted it away, and now both he and Rob were covered in blood, each others blood, cut by the same blade. He staggered to his feet, never taking his eyes off Rob as he lay on the floor, unmoving, with the exception of his chest rising and falling, a sign he was still alive.

“Police! Everybody freeze!” a female voice shouted from behind him and he instinctively raised his hands into the air, a river of blood trickling down his arm.

“Nick, are you alright?” Kate yelled as she lowered her weapon and approached him. She didn’t wait for him to answer. “Send in the paramedics,” she yelled into her two way radio as she surveyed the damage and saw both Nick and Rob were bleeding. She grabbed a clean dish towel off of the rack against the wall and wrapped it tightly around Nick’s hemorrhaged hand.

“This will help until you get to the hospital,” she said softly. “Do you know what happened?” she asked, motioning towards Roslyn.

“I saw him hit her across the face. What happened before that I don’t know. I just watched her go down and then I tackled him.”

She walked over to Roslyn, bending down next to her and feeling for a pulse. “Roslyn, can you hear me?” Roslyn started to stir, moaning loudly as she tried to sit up. When she focused on the scene in front of her, her eyes landing on Rob and seeing all the blood, she knew they had to be warned.

“Don’t touch him without gloves,” she yelled, her eyes moving from Rob to the knife lying on the ground next to his limp hand. It was covered in blood, his blood, and Nick’s blood. She looked up at Nick, knowing that same blade had cut them, knowing his life was in danger now too. “He has HIV.”
Chapter 19 by Andro
“This is not a joke Mr. Johnson. I am ready to take you down right alongside your partner in crime, charging you with everything he’s being charged with unless you cooperate.” Jerome stared into the eyes of the detective questioning him, believing every word he was saying. He shifted uncomfortably in his metal chair, the pressure that was being put on him making him quite anxious, and he looked around the dingy holding room contemptuously.

His first instinct was to hold out, protect himself and Rob as long as possible, at least until his lawyer could get there, but the more he thought about it and the more he listened to what the detective was telling him, he knew he had to do the right thing.

We used to be friends, the key word being used. He’s not the same person he used to be, or else he is and I just didn’t know him very well before, but either way, this needs to be stopped, he needs to be stopped.

“Are you hearing me Mr. Johnson?” The detectives tone was arrogant and cold, a technique used on the “softer” criminals to break them. People like Jerome Johnson weren’t evil at heart; people like Jerome Johnson are manipulated or tricked into committing crimes. They have a conscience, they know right from wrong, and, with the correct amount of pressure, they will succumb to it.

“Yeah, I hear you,” Jerome responded softly, knowing what he was about to do would probably send him to jail for a very long time, if not for the rest of his life, but it had to be done. “What do you want to know?”

The detective sat there for a moment in silence, wondering if his technique had really worked and Jerome had backed down or if Jerome was playing him like a cheap hand of poker. The “criminal” in front of him didn’t seem like the intricate, calculating type; definitely not the brand of law-breaker that would work over a seasoned detective like Elliot Stabler.

“I want to know everything.”




“What were you going to do? Run away? We would have found you Ros, you know that. There is no way all of us that love you would have just let you disappear and forget about it!”

Kaci didn’t mean to sound so frustrated with her cousin, but the truth of the matter is that she was. She was angry and hurt that Roslyn wasn’t planning on telling her, anyone, that she had HIV; she was just going to run away and leave everyone behind to try and find some closure and understanding without her, and that didn’t set well with Kaci, or anyone else for that matter. What Kaci didn’t understand is that it wasn’t for any reason other than Nick.

“Kaci, I know you’re upset, but I have, well, had my reasons for what I was going to do and you have to believe me when I tell you it had nothing to do with you.”

“Nothing to do with me? How can you say that? You were going to leave, not tell me where you were, not even let me know you were dying! You were going to suffer from this alone and eventually die and I would have never known about it! That has everything to do with me! You’re my blood, my family, my best friend!”

Roslyn lowered her eyes, feeling ashamed of the decisions she had made. She had never wanted to hurt Kaci, only protect her. Protect everyone from the pain and anguish that accompanies watching a loved one die from AIDS. It was true she didn’t have AIDS yet, but eventually she would; eventually the virus would turn fatal and that was something she was not yet ready to face.

That was a big reason why she had decided to leave everything behind and start over someplace new; she wouldn’t be surrounded by people that loved her and would be inconsolable when she finally passed. She wouldn’t have the constant reminder of what she would be missing out on when she was gone and she wouldn’t have to feel her own heart breaking as she slowly slipped away from everything and everyone she loved and cared about.

“I know it’s going to be hard for you to understand, but I’m doing what I think is best for myself and for everyone else.”

“You mean you were going to do what you thought was best, but you’re not going anywhere now. You were going to leave so you didn’t have to tell us, but now we all know, so you’re staying put.” Kaci cracked a smile, placing her hands on her hips like she was scolding her own child, trying to lighten the mood a little.

Roslyn wanted to smile, to laugh, but looking at her cousin, her best friend, standing before her and knowing that it wouldn’t be this way forever as they had both always thought it would caused a great sadness inside her. Unable to control them any longer, the tears poured out of Roslyn’s brilliant green eyes like a mighty current flowing through a growling river.

“God, Kaci, I love you so much and it wasn’t supposed to be like this!” Roslyn cried, covering her face with her hands. Kaci climbed onto the bed Roslyn was sitting on in their hotel room, grabbing her cousin’s body tightly and holding on for dear life. She knew it wasn’t supposed to be like this, but she also knew this was reality now and she vowed at that moment that, until Roslyn takes her last breath, she would right by her side, however long, or short, the time was.

“Ros,” Kaci started, after several minutes. “What about Nick? You have to talk to him.”

“I can’t do it right now Kace. What if he’s contracted it too? He’s already been through so much because of me!”

“You’re never going to feel like you’re ready to, Roslyn, but you have too. You can’t shut him out like this! Just the fact that he has been through so much with you being reason enough. Don’t you think he’s earned that much?” Roslyn kneaded the pillow she was holding with her hands, contemplating what Kaci just said to her.

I am not ready to be in a relationship again. I can’t even begin to work out my feelings for Nick at this point; it’s easier to just try and shut them off! But I know I want him in my life; he’s so strong, so caring, I feel so secure when I’m with him. Is he going to want to be involved in this though? Maybe it’ll be easier for him to just move on….

“When will he be back?” she finally asked, accepting the truth that it would never seem like the right time but it needed to be done, things, feelings, needed to be sorted out between them.

“He’s at the hospital getting his last injection; he should be here soon,” Kaci responded, lowering her voice at the mention of the injections. It had been five days since the reception, and Nick had been undergoing intensive anti-viral treatments in hopes of preventing the contraction of HIV in his body. It would still be several weeks though before he could be tested for the virus, several weeks before they would know if his fate was the same as Roslyn’s.

“It’s not your fault Roslyn, you have to know that,” Kaci pleaded, seeing that look in her cousin’s eye, the same look she had when Nick realized that he could possibly be infected. “You do know that right?”

“I guess,” Roslyn responded quietly, trying to determine if she did actually know that. If she thought hard enough, she could justify that it was her fault, bottom line being that if she had never met Nick and he had never developed feelings for her, then he would not have been a part of this whole fiasco, thus he would not have been exposed to Rob’s blood. But, logically, she knew she couldn’t have controlled any of it; the chips fell where they were meant to fall, and now, more than ever, she realized life was too short to try and counter that.

“Ros, you look tired. Why don’t you lie down for a while and get some rest. I’m going to go check on the plane tickets and the moving truck and I’ll wake you when Nick gets back, okay?” Roslyn didn’t argue, she was drained, and a nap sounded like a pretty great idea. She allowed the images of living in sunny, southern California, Kaci and AJ’s idea of course, to invade her mind as she drifted off to sleep.
Chapter 20 by Andro
Three weeks later


Roslyn emerged from the hallway in Kaci and AJ’s newly acquired California home, their first as a married couple which called home too, with a vacant expression on her face. She had received a phone call several minutes ago, which she had excused herself into a quieter area of the house to take, and was now put in the position of sharing the news she had just been given with several pairs of wondering ears.

Her life, for the most part, in the past two weeks had settled into a rather normal and welcome routine; she had her doctor’s appointments, her daily regime of prescription drugs, support groups, a part-time job at the coffee shop a few blocks away and her new puppy, a chocolate lab that Nick had given her and helped her name Cocoa, and she had been trying desperately to move on with her changed existence, move on from what she had left behind, move on from Rob, but again, it, he, was coming back into her life.

“What’s wrong, Ros?” AJ inquired, watching her carefully as she walked through the living room and plopped down heavily onto the overstuffed leather couch. “Who was on the phone?”

“Hey y’all, where you at?” a voice hollered from the front entry way. Hearing the voice, Cocoa bounded off the couch she had been laying on and scampered into the foyer in search of her “dad”.

“In here,” Kaci yelled back, not taking her eyes away from her cousin. Seconds later Nick walked into the living room, the puppy hot on his heels, completely unaware that he was about to be privy to some shocking news. He searched the faces of the people in the room, noticing that something wasn’t right and let out a heavy sigh.

“I guess I got here just in time,” he said quietly, taking a seat on the couch next to Roslyn. He leaned over and kissed her softly on the cheek, putting his arm around her shoulders and pulling her closer.

“The DA from Memphis just called me,” she started, playing with the hem of her shirt. “They are putting the trial on hold….indefinitely.” She looked up from her shirt into Nick’s questioning eyes, waiting for him to say something.

“What? Why?” Kaci stammered, beating Nick to the punch.

“Rob, is, ah, too sick, to, ah…” she trailed off, knowing her voice was about to crack. She didn’t want to say the words out loud. Thinking it was hard enough, but actually saying it out loud, well, that would just sting her even more. To verbalize it would not only pound the seriousness of her own condition further into her mind, but it would haunt the minds of everyone else as well.

“What Ros? What did they say?” Kaci prodded her to go on, her heart racing from fear and anticipation. She felt like she knew was her cousin was going to tell her, but she needed to hear it anyway.

Roslyn took a few deep breaths, fresh tears stinging her eyes as she fought to hold them back. She didn’t, under any circumstances, want anyone in the room to think she was crying over Rob, that absolutely wasn’t the case; the tears in her eyes were brought on by her own feelings of the uncertainty she was certain to face in the coming years, or in Rob’s case, months.

“The HIV, it, well, ah…” She just couldn’t seem to spit it out.

“He’s got AIDS now doesn’t he?” AJ asked, taking the pressure off of her to say it. She nodded her head, covering her face with her hands as the tears, unable to be contained any longer, spewed from her eyes.

“It happened so fast,” she sobbed, not realizing what was coming out of her mouth. How was she supposed to deal with this?

“That doesn’t mean it will happen that fast for you too,” Kaci explained softly, wiping the tears that had positioned themselves in the corners of her eyes away. “Rob wasn’t taking care of himself like he should have. You are on medication, you’re living a healthy lifestyle; you’re not going anywhere, not for a long time.” She knew her words had absolutely no basis of truth, but she needed to say them, for Roslyn’s piece of mind, and for her own. The reality was that she was so scared that it could happen to Roslyn that fast and that was something she wasn’t prepared to handle.

“She’s right Ros,” Nick said, continuing where Kaci left off. “People can live for years and years with HIV and never develop AIDS, look at Magic Johnson!”

Roslyn nodded her head, using the sleeve of her shirt to dry her face as she did so. She knew what they were saying was possible, from everything she had read and everything she had learned about her disease she knew it could happen, but what if it didn’t work out for her like that? What if she didn’t have years and years to live? She couldn’t bear to think about it anymore and decided to change the subject.

“So anyway, the DA wasn’t sure when or if ever the trial would resume. Rob will just stay in the prison hospital until he gets a little better or until…” Again, she couldn’t finish her sentence. She didn’t need to though; everyone knew what she was going to say.

“At least he can’t hurt you anymore,” Kaci told her, trying to comfort her a little.

“Yeah, well, he’s done more than enough already,” Roslyn responded, wrapping her arms around her body, suddenly feeling cold.

They see me rollin’/They hatin’/Patrolling they tryin’ to catch me ridin’ dirty/Tryin’ to catch me ridin’ dirty/Tryin’ to catch me ridin’ dirty/Tryin’ to catch me ridin’ dirty/Tryin’ to catch me ridin’ dirty

“Shit, sorry,” Nick mumbled as he reached into his pocket and pulled out his cell phone. Roslyn couldn’t help giggling a little as she bobbed her head to the ringer on his cell phone.

“Lo?” he barked into the phone, barely flipping it open in time to catch the call. He was silent for a moment, obviously listening to what the caller was saying, and instantly the color drained from his face and he licked his lips repeatedly.

“Nick?” Roslyn asked, worried that something was wrong.

“Just a second,” he said into the phone and then lowered it from his ear and covered the mouthpiece before talking. “It’s the clinic; they have my test results.”

The room was silent as the moment of truth was upon them. Nick put the phone back up to his ear and listened, nodding and saying a few “ok’s” and “mmhmm’s” into the phone every couple seconds or so. It seemed like an eternity went by, everyone anxiously waiting for the call to end and find out the results.

“Okay, yes, thank you for calling,” he said before flipping his phone shut. He sat there for a moment, everyone staring at him, his mind running in two different directions. The first direction was celebration, the second was contempt. He let the second direction fuel his body, anger suddenly overtaking him.

“It’s not fair!” he screamed, standing quickly and throwing the coffee table over as he rose. The glass top shattered, the sound echoing off the walls of the large room. “GOD DAMMIT!”

“Nick! Calm down!” AJ shouted, rushing towards him in hopes of containing any more outbursts. He threw his arms around his taller, larger friend, pulling him down onto the couch in the sitting position.

“It’s not fair,” he said again, this time all the fight was gone from his voice. He crumpled forward, resting his face in his hands as the sobs poured out of him.

“It’s going to be okay,” AJ told him, holding onto his tightly. “You’re not alone; it will be okay.”

“It was positive,” Kaci whispered, not sure if she meant it as a question or a statement. How could this be happening? Not only was she going to lose her best friend, but AJ was going to lose his as well. Nick was right--it’s not fair.

How long could Nick sit there without telling them? How long could he let them think his outburst was for the wrong reason? How long could he wait to tell Roslyn that he would go on living while she was sentenced to a slow, agonizing death?

“No, it wasn’t.” He lifted his head from his hands, knowing it had been long enough, and found three pairs of eyes bearing down on him, pleading for more explanation. “It was negative.” He could hear the sighs of relief escape AJ and Kaci’s mouth, but his turned his focus on the woman sitting next to him; she was silent.

“Roslyn, I’m…”

“Nick, don’t. That’s good news. Will you excuse me?” She stood up quickly, walking towards the stairs and climbing them, disappearing out of sight before anyone could mutter an objection.

Once inside her room, she allowed herself to cry, allowed the emotions building up within her to empty, allowed the realization that his life was blessed with another chance while hers was damned to settle in. Now she had a decision to make…did she send him away, out of her life, so he can find someone else to grow old with, or did she let him in, let their time together be what it may, let herself love him for the rest of her life?
Chapter 21 by Andro
Author's Notes:
thank you to everyone reading the story so far...and please, leave feedback! I love to know what you guys think!
“Roslyn, please, open the door! I need to talk to you!”

She could hear the pounding on the door and his pleas for entry over and over but she wasn’t ready to talk to him. She wasn’t ready to talk to anybody. A part of her had wished that Nick did have HIV; at least she wouldn’t have to leave him behind and know that he would go on without her and find someone new, and she felt like a horrible person because of it.

How sick is that? How wrong is it of me to want someone to contract a deadly virus just to ease my own pain and insecurities? She knew deep down that she was relieved that he wasn’t sick; he didn’t deserve it, but then again, neither did she. She also knew that she didn’t want to shut him out of her life, that spending her time without him in it would hurt more than loving him as hard as she could while she could. But would he want that? She didn’t know, and that made her realize she did need to talk to him.

If I am not going to shut him out, then I guess I should open the door, she told herself as she pushed herself off the bed and ambled over to the door.

He heard the lock click and he knew she had opened it for him. He gave her a few seconds before turning the knob and pushing the door open. He expected her to be lying on the bed or halfway across the room, but there she was, standing right in front of the door, waiting for him to come to her. He wasn’t going to pass up the opportunity either and he gathered her in his arms, holding her tightly against his sturdy frame.

“Roslyn, I’m sorry,” he whispered, swaying her gently back and forth as they hugged.

“Don’t be sorry Nick, I’m not. You are very lucky and you shouldn’t take that for granted.” She too was whispering, for she knew if she tried to speak any louder the words would not come out. It was all she could not to break down again, and she had to be strong. It was going to be hard to say to him what she needed to say to him, to find out what his intentions were, and if she didn’t stay strong, she wouldn’t be able to get through it.

“Let’s sit,” she suggested, feeling his hold on her loosen and she slithered out of his arms, making her way towards the bed. He followed, sitting down beside her, both of them taking a minute to get comfortable.

“Look—“ Nick began, but Roslyn stopped him.

“No, Nick, please, let me start.” He nodded, agreeing to let her go, and she took several deep breaths before continuing. “We’ve been walking in circles around reality since, well, since that night, and I can’t do it anymore.”

“Roslyn—“

“Please, I need to get this out.” Again he nodded and she continued. “It’s just that, well, I don’t want you to, um, God, why is this so hard?” Nick took his hand and rubbed it along her face, trying to give her some encouragement. He had a feeling he knew what she was trying to say, and his response was already on the tip of his tongue, waiting and ready to counter whatever doubts she had.

“I don’t want you to waste your time with me Nick,” she blurted out, a new batch of tears threatening to fall. He looked at her, knowing she had more and he didn’t want to interrupt her. “I want you in my life, I do, I need it, but I don’t want to hold you back from something you might want instead.”

“So what you’re saying is you think that I should be friends with you but find myself a wife and get married and have kids and grow old with that person instead of you?” She cocked her head to the side, astonished that he drew that much depth out of the broken sentences she had put together a few moments ago.

“Wow, I didn’t realize you were so insightful,” she joked, wiping her hands underneath her eyes quickly to catch the few tears that were about to spill out.

“I’m not, I just know you and I knew you were going to come at me with some ridiculous logic like this.”

“It’s not ridiculous Nickolas,” she threw back at him, getting defensive at his liaise-fair attitude about the whole thing.

“Yes, Roslyn, it is ridiculous. Trying to tell me that I should move on, find someone new…it’s ridiculous! I’m not gonna do it and if you actually expected me to then you don’t really know me as well as I thought you did.” He was quiet for a moment, letting the hurt he was feeling show.

“I don’t want you to Nick,” she finally said, just above a whisper. “I just don’t want to be the reason you are heartbroken down the road.”

“You’re the only reason I want to be heartbroken,” he replied, taking her hands in his and bringing them to his lips, planting soft kisses all over them. “I’ve wanted this for so long Ros, I’m not going anywhere.”

“But what about—“

“We will work it out Ros, together, we will work it out. Whatever you’re fears or worries are, we’ll deal with them. Stop hesitating, cause I’m sure as hell not.”

With that, she buried her face in his chest, allowing the tears to fall freely. She had wondered for so long if he would still love her, still want to be with her, and even though she had no idea how it was going to work, if they could have a family, if they would ever be able to get married and consummate it, if she could love him and yet keep him safe, she knew at that moment she could trust him, and that together they would work it out.

After several minutes of holding each other in a loving embrace, she pulled away from him, feeling the need to hear him say it, to fully tell her what she needed to hear.

“What is it baby?” he asked her, seeing that something was still on her mind.

“I don’t want to seem redundant Nick, but, I just, I need to be frank.”

“Alright, but can I still be Nick?” he asked her, causing both of them to start laughing uncontrollably. When the laughter died down, he asked her to continue.

“Okay, but no more jokes! You’re making it very hard to concentrate!”

“I promise, no more jokes. Continue please.”

“Are you sure that you’re gonna want to love me for the rest of my life?”

There was silence for several minutes, her question suspended in the universe indefinitely, waiting for an answer so it could finally rest.

“No,” he said softly, causing Roslyn to draw in a deep breath.

“W-what?” she asked him, scooting back on the bed a little to distance herself from him. Before she could move far though, he grabbed her, pressing his lips against hers and kissing her passionately until they were both out of breath and had to separate.

“No, Roslyn, I’m not gonna love you for the rest of your life…I’m gonna love you for the rest of mine.”
Chapter 22 by Andro
Author's Notes:
here's the next chapter....awwwwww! LOL
“Thank you for seeing me on such short notice,” Nick said to the doctor as he shook his hand firmly.

“You said it was urgent,” the doctor replied, leaving the statement open-ended, giving Nick the room to begin explaining the reason for his visit. To Nick, the matter was urgent, more urgent than anyone could realize; there was so much he wanted to do, so much he had planned, but he needed to know what he was getting into before he went any further.

“Yes, well, to be perfectly blunt and to the point, Dr. Jolie, I need to know the risks of being with someone that has HIV.” Dr. Jolie leaned forward in his chair, his left eyebrow cocked slightly, obviously curious about Nick and his situation.

“By ‘be with’ I’m assuming you mean having sexual relations with that person?” the doctor inquired, looking for more information to go on.

“That and having children. I need to know if I’m going to be able to make love to her when I marry her, if I’m going to be able to kiss her, touch her, treat her as normally as I would anyone else, and if I’ll be able to have a family with her.” Nick cast his eyes down onto the top of Dr. Jolie’s desk, feeling hopeless as soon as the words came out of his mouth. What was the doctor going to tell him? Yes, it’s okay to have sex with a person infected with HIV? Yes, you can have kids? He just wasn’t sure, but he hoped the news would be good.

“First thing Nickolas, studies have shown that the risk of a woman transmitting HIV to a man through vaginal intercourse is quite a bit more unlikely than any other scenario of sexual relations, but there is, of course, still that risk, especially if you don’t use a condom.” Nick listened intently to what the doctor was saying, feeling slightly more optimistic as the doctor kept talking.

“Okay, so if I use a condom…”

“Your chances of contracting the virus are significantly reduced,” Dr. Jolie said, finishing Nick’s sentence. Nick leaned back in the chair, a small sigh of relief escaping from his lungs. “Nickolas, it’s not a guarantee, you know that right?”

“I know, I know,” he said quietly, weighing the options in his head. Dr. Jolie continued discussing the issue for quite a while, preparing quite a pile of information for Nick to read on all different issues regarding HIV, the transmission of it, and dealing with a loved one living with it. Nick knew he would have a lot of reading to do when he got home, but that was just fine with him.

“And Nickolas, as far as having children, my suggestion, in order to protect the child from becoming infected with the disease, is to use a surrogate. It is possible for a woman to give birth without infecting the baby, but again, there’s no guarantee. Surrogacy can guarantee there is no transmission.”

“You mean that I need to get another woman pregnant?” Nick asked, his mouth dropping open at the thought of it. I’m in here because I’m in love with Roslyn, why would he suggest I have sex with someone else to have a baby? I want to be the father of her baby, not someone else’s!

Dr. Jolie chuckled a little at Nick’s question before realizing that many people didn’t really know the true meaning of surrogate pregnancy. “No, Nick, what it means is that we would take Roslyn’s eggs, fertilize them with your sperm and then transplant them into another woman’s uterus. That woman would carry the baby, or babies in some cases, to term, and give birth, but the baby would be 100% yours and Roslyn’s.” He paused for a minute to see if Nick had any other questions at that time, and then he said, “If it is something you two are interested in, just give me a call. I will refer you to Dr. Navarro; he’s the head of the fertility and conception department.”

“Okay,” Nick said quietly, all the information he had just received overloading his brain at that moment.

“It’s a lot to consider Nickolas, I know, but I’m here to help. Let me know if there’s anything else I can do.”

“Thank you Dr. Jolie and I’ll be in touch.” With that, Nick picked up his stack of pamphlets, brochures, and articles and headed out the door. He hurried to his car and raced home; he couldn’t wait to share all of this with Roslyn. He was so excited to tell her they could get married and consummate it, to tell her they could have babies together, to tell her he could give her the most normal life possible under the circumstances.

He pulled into the driveway of the house Roslyn shared with Kaci and AJ and quickly ran into the house. “Hey man, where my girl is?” he asked in a funny voice, as he walked through the foyer into the living and spotted AJ on the couch watching TV.

“She’s outside in the pool with Kaci, catching some rays.” He looked up from the TV and noticed Nick’s arms laden with papers. “Did you rob a stationary store or something?”

“No, funny man, I got this stuff from my doctor; it’s information on HIV.” AJ nodded his head and turned off the TV, giving his full attention to Nick.

“Let me see,” he said, holding his hand out for some of the literature; he wanted to understand and learn as much as he could too.

“I’ll just leave it all here right now and you can look through it,” Nick explained, setting the pile down on the coffee table. “I have to talk to Roslyn; I found out some great news.” He didn’t stay to explicate anymore but he knew AJ would understand, besides, they would all find out in due time anyway.

“Roslyn!” he yelled, pushing the patio door open and walking through it. She was lying on an air mattress in the pool, floating around next to Kaci and when Nick yelled, it startled her, causing her to shift suddenly on the inflatable contraption and lose her balance, making her plunge directly into the cool, refreshing water.

“Shit,” Nick murmured, trying to contain his laughter as Roslyn surfaced with a look of annoyance on her face. “Sorry baby.”

“Thanks a lot Carter,” she squeaked as she swam over to the side of the pool and hoisted herself up onto the edge. “So what’s up?”

He knelt down next to her, his eyes gleaming with animation and the reflection from the pool, and he pushed a few strands of wet hair off her face. “Want to go to Vegas tonight?”

“For what?” she asked, puzzled by his eagerness and spontaneity.

“So I can marry you.” Her jaw dropped as the words came out of his mouth and she must have been silent for almost a minute. “Well?” Nick prodded, amused by her inability to speak.

“What’s going on?” Kaci asked, floating up next to them on her air mattress.

Still finding words hard to come by, she just wrapped her arms around pushed herself against him. He could her head moving and he leaned back from her a little to see if it was shaking yes or no.

“Ros and I are going to Vegas tonight,” he answered Kaci with a smile on his face. Roslyn had been shaking her head yes; she and Nick were going to be married.
Chapter 23 by Andro
Author's Notes:
Keep the feedback coming...I love to know what you guys are thinking...maybe where you'd like the story to go...all that good stuff! Thanks for reading!
“Did we really just do that?” Roslyn shrieked as she and Nick ran out the doors of the wedding chapel hand in hand after saying their I do’s.

“Yeah, we did,” Nick replied, pulling her suddenly to a stop in the middle of the parking lot. “We’re married,” he whispered, pulling her close and planting a strong kiss on her lips. “I love you Roslyn.”

“I love you too Nickolas,” she responded, pecking him gently on the lips.

“I love it when you call me that,” he roared into her ear huskily, letting his hands roam her body freely over her white dress as he nibbled at the same ear. A low moan escaped her lips as she enjoyed the feelings he was arousing within her and realizing just how long it had been since she’d been touched this way.

As she realized it though, fear invaded her happiness. Things had changed so much since she was last touched that way, and now she was infected. She knew the risks and the statistics just as Nick did, she knew the chances of infecting him were low, but there was still a chance…a chance she wasn’t completely sure she wanted to take.

She had been sure on the plane ride, she had been sure on the drive from the airport to the hotel, and she had been sure on the limo ride from the hotel to the wedding chapel and sure while she was walking down the aisle, but now, as the moment was approaching, doubt began replacing certainty.

“I can’t wait to get you back to the hotel,” Nick purred into her ear, continuing his bedroom talk. “I’ve been waiting so lo—“

“Let’s go to the casino first,” Roslyn offered, interrupting Nick mid-sentence. She didn’t want to tell him she was having second thoughts about making love to him, so she hoped a distraction would give her time to sort out her feelings. Nick took a few steps back from her, making it quite obvious he was a little put off by her lack of cooperation and willingness and he eyed her carefully.

“Are you sure? We can gamble later tonight, or tomorrow or whenever. I thought our first stop would be our honeymoon suite?” His eyes showed concern and disappointment and she knew she had to tell him something so he wouldn’t feel like she had regrets about what they had just done.

“Nick, I love you, and I want to make love to you just as much as you want to make love to me…I just don’t feel ready quite yet,” she told him, shrugging her shoulders as she said it. “I’m scared.”

He knew what she meant, and he knew this would be an issue, but it was an issue he was prepared to deal with. He was scared too, but he wasn’t going to let fear or any of the endless possibilities stop him from consummating the union that had been bestowed upon them just five minutes ago.

“Okay baby,” he said softly as he pulled her close to him, this time keeping his hands on her back instead of wandering around her body. They held each other for a moment, still standing in the middle of the parking lot. When they released, they climbed into the limo that was waiting to take them back to their hotel, anticipation of things to come creeping over both of them.




“You don’t think they would go to Vegas to elope do you?” Kaci asked AJ as they sat on the bed in their room. AJ stopped rubbing her feet and thought seriously about the question his wife had just laid on him.

“I’m not sure,” he finally said, shaking his head from side to side. “I know they think they have to hurry up and do things so much faster, but would they really make us miss out on something like that?”

“I’m her best friend! She was my maid of honor and I am supposed to be hers! I’m her best friend! She wouldn’t go off and do something as huge as getting married without telling me! I’m her best friend!”

AJ couldn’t help the laughter that overtook him as he listened to Kaci’s ranting and watched her facial expressions. He knew in his gut that Nick and Roslyn most likely went to Las Vegas to get married, and he knew when Kaci found out about it, she would be crushed, but the way she was acting at that moment seemed quite comical to him.

“Alex,” she whined playfully, “it’s not funny. Stop laughing! I’m her best friend! You don’t do this to your best friend!”

“Oh, poor baby,” he mocked, pulling her into his body forcefully and pretending to rock her back and forth like a crying child.

“You’re such a jerk,” she retorted, giving in and letting the contagiousness of AJ’s laughter infect her too. They played around on the bed for a few minutes, tickling each other and laughing, until Kaci shot up on the bed like an epiphany had just hit her.

“I’m going to call her and find out what’s going on!” she proclaimed, jumping off the bed and charging down the stairs to retrieve her cell phone. She dialed the number and waited while it rang three times.

“Kaci, don’t be mad,” was the first thing she heard as Roslyn’s voice came over the line.

“You did it didn’t you? You got married in Vegas without me there! I can’t believe you!”

“Kaci, I’m sorry! We just wanted to do it right away and not wait while things were planned and guests were invited and all that stuff! Remember how long it took us to plan your wedding?”

There was silence on the phone, Kaci waiting to see if Roslyn was going to say anything else and Roslyn waiting to see if Kaci would accept what she said or not.

“So, how’d it go?” Kaci finally said, her tone indicating that she was not upset and she understood why Roslyn and Nick had made that decision. Roslyn told her about the wedding chapel, the minister that looked like Elvis, walking down the aisle to the “Love Me Tender” being played on an organ, wearing a Donna Karan gown, white of course, that she had picked up in the hotel boutique, and carrying a bouquet of miniature white roses with several pinned in her hair.

She told her every word of the vows, recounted every emotion she felt, every tear that fell throughout the fairly cheesy ceremony, and every look Nick had given her, which sent goose bumps over her body once again as she thought about it.

“It wasn’t traditional, it wasn’t classy, it wasn’t even remotely how I had imagined my wedding to be when I was younger, but Kaci, it was absolutely perfect.” She and Kaci continued to chatter back and forth about it all for a few more minutes, and then Roslyn turned the conversation in a different direction.

“Kaci, um, I need your advice about, uh, having sex with Nick. I’m scared. I know the risks and he knows the risks and I know that probably nothing will happen, but what if I infect him? What if something happens?”

“Wow,” Kaci breathed into the phone, taken aback by the sharp turn in conversation. She wasn’t prepared for this; she knew less about HIV and everything that goes along with it than Roslyn or Nick, so how was she supposed to advise her cousin on the matter?

“Well, Ros, you no more about it than I do, so I can’t give you any advice on infecting him, but what I will say is that you have to trust him, and trust yourself. You can’t live so cautiously anymore, you did it all your life and bad things still happened. You have to make the most of what you have, of the time you have with him, and I know that’s what he intends on doing with you. You just have to let it go out of your hands and into the hands of something bigger, it’s not up to you anymore.”

“I know, Kace, but—“

“Do you want to have sex with him?”

“Yes, but—“

“Do you trust him?”

“Kaci, of course I trust him, but—“

“No but’s, Ros, then trust in him that he knows what he is doing and he knows the risks he’s taking. Just love him, let him love you, and ‘come what may’, ya know?” Again, there was silence for a little while, Roslyn trying to process everything Kaci had said. She knew her cousin was right, she knew that even though some people would think it appropriate for her to just enclose herself in a bubble in order to protect the rest of the world from what she had, she didn’t feel that was right. She deserved to be happy, to live a life like everyone else, and she had found someone that loved her and was willing to do that with her and she would be a fool to interfere.

“Thank you Kaci,” she said quietly into the phone. “I’ve got to go; he’s coming this way right now.” Roslyn flipped her phone shut and stuck it back in the little white clutch she had purchased to go with her dress moments before Nick reached her.

“Did you win?” she asked him, hoping he wouldn’t question who she had been on the phone with. He probably knew though, there was no way that they could have gotten through the entire trip without Kaci calling and nailing them on their secret plan.

“A little, how ‘bout you?”

“Nah, those nickel machines are rigged I swear to God!” she joked, stepping a little closer to him. “I’m ready,” she whispered in his ear, running her hand down the back of his neck softly. His eyes lit up like a little kid’s on Christmas morning and he backed away from her quickly, almost bumping into a cocktail waitress in all his excitement. He mumbled an apology to the waitress and then grabbed Roslyn’s hand and pulled her quickly to the elevator.

“I guess someone’s a little excited,” she chided, watching him frantically tapping his foot as they waited for the elevator to arrive.

“Girl you have no idea,” he responded with a smirk. She really had no idea how long he had been waiting for this moment, for his moment to love her the way she deserved to be loved. He wasn’t going to waste it either…tonight he was going to love her like she had never been loved before.

As they stepped onto the elevator, the soft instrumental music floated through the speakers, causing Nick and Roslyn to look at each simultaneously, recognition of the song hitting them.

This must be fate, Roslyn thought to herself as Nick started singing along softly to the music.

“I will love you more than that; I won’t say the words and take them back. Don’t give loneliness a chance; baby listen to me when I say I will love you more than that.”
Chapter 24 by Andro
Author's Notes:
sorry for the long wait guys....I appreciate you all hanging in there and being patient! Exciting things to come in the story shortly...and I hope you enjoy this chapter!
“Are you okay?” he asked her softly, running his hands over her glistening stomach, which was still moving up and down quickly from her heavy breathing.

“I’m very okay,” she responded, placing her hand over his. He stopped rubbing her soft skin and turned his palm upward, grabbing hold of her hand and bringing it up to his lips, brushing them against her flesh tenderly. “That was…wow,” she breathed, turning her body towards him so she was on her side facing him, the sheet that had been resting below her stomach slipping off to reveal her completely naked form to her lover once again.

He took a moment to ravish her with his eyes, something he had taken quite a bit of time to do when she first disrobed, but it didn’t seem superfluous to him. Looking at her, memorizing every curve, every line of her figure, was something he could never tire from. Her body was a temple, his temple, to worship and adore, and he was going to partake in it as often as he could.

“Do you have any idea how beautiful you are?” he asked her, running the back of his hand along the inside curve of her full breast. She smiled at him, but remained silent. She loved the way he looked at her, the way his touch felt as it caressed her body; she knew he found her intoxicating and she was content with letting him drink her up.

She closed her eyes and laid her head back against the pillow, reveling in his touch, allowing him to rub and stroke her as he deemed fit. It relaxed her and aroused her at the same time, sending goose bumps and hot flashes over her body simultaneously as if the two opposite feelings were battling one another in a contest to see who could make her feel the ultimate pleasure. If she could have bottled up the way she felt at that very moment and open it up whenever she wanted, she knew there would never again be a moment of sadness within her for the rest of her life.

“God Nick, you make me feel so good,” she moaned, the sensation of his finger rubbing her sensitive bud pushing her close to the edge. She knew she was about to erupt and found no point in putting off the inevitable, so she succumbed to his control over her body, shudders and squeals of delight racking her to the core moments later. She lay on the bed quietly, her body shaking every now and then with tiny after-shocks as her pulse slowed and breathing evened. Nick crawled up to the head of the bed and lay down next to her, putting his arm out underneath her head as she scooted closer to him, snuggling against his warm body.

“I think we should have a baby,” he said suddenly, causing Roslyn to pull away the hand that he had been holding and rubbing as he spoke. She leaned up on her elbow facing him, gazing at him with question. Did he really mean that? How would it work? She knew getting pregnant and giving birth was even riskier than having protected sex when it came to transmitting the virus and she knew that was a threat she couldn’t have, no matter how much she wanted to.

Even as a young girl, she had wanted to be a mother; it was an instinct and a desire that always lay beneath the surface of her mind, waiting for a time when it could come out. When she would baby-sit the neighbors’ kids she would imagine they were hers, pretend she was the mom, just to see what it would feel like. She understood she was too young at that point, but even then it still had felt like the right thing to do.

When she met Rob, she finally thought her chance to become a mom would present itself, but of course it never did. Just as soon as things seemed to be heading in that direction with him, they had turned the complete opposite just as quick. Now, here she was, married to a man that loved her more than anyone else and she was not able to fulfill her biggest dream.

“Nick,” she began, feeling the tears beginning to form in her eyes, stinging them a little, “I don’t think it’s a good idea. It isn’t very safe for me to get pregnant.”

“I know,” he responded, rubbing her cheek with his thumb, as if anticipating that the need to wipe away the tears that were building in her eyes even before they fell. “I have a solution though; Dr. Jolie told me about it.”

He waited for a moment to go on, unsure of how ready she was to hear what he had to tell her, but the encouragement and hope he saw flash in her eyes was enough to convince him to continue. “He suggested surrogacy.”

“Surrogacy?” was Roslyn’s first response, wondering how it would work and ready for Nick to tell her more.

“Yeah, I was shocked at first when he suggested it, because I thought that, like, I would have to get someone else pregnant or whatever and I was like ‘no way, ain’t happenin’, but then he explained it to me and it makes sense.”

“Okay, well tell me then!” She had her eyebrows raised and her hand held up in the air, giving him the “what are you waiting for” look as she waited for him to go on.

“They take my little guys,” he told her, motioning down towards his manhood as he said it, “and your eggs or whatever,” he continued, his face turning slightly red as he explained the process to her, “and they fertilize them.” He made a small gesture with his hands, bringing the two of them together and making a clapping sound with them, causing Roslyn to giggle a little at his uneasiness towards the biology lesson he was trying to give her.

“And then what?” she prodded him, trying her hardest not to laugh out loud at the annoyed face he was giving her.

“Are you gonna keep laughing at me? Cause if so, I’m not going to keep going!”

“Oh baby, I’m sowwy,” she responded, giving him a little smile and pinching his cheek between her thumb and index finger. “Please continue.”

“Okay,” he sighed, taking a breath before continuing. “Then they implant the stuff into a healthy, normal woman who will carry the baby for us, but then after she gives birth the baby is ours. It has none of her DNA or anything, she just has it so you and the baby aren’t put in danger, isn’t that great!”

“Wow, I’ve never even thought of that before,” she told him, feeling very optimistic about having a baby, her dreams slowly returning from the dark place she had pushed them too after finding out about the HIV. “Do you really want to do this?”

“Roslyn, I want to have a baby with you more than anything else in the world. I want to be able to look into our child’s eyes and see you and everything you are in them; I need to be able to do that.”

“Okay, then let’s do it; but how soon are we thinking about doing this? Isn’t it quite a process? How soon can we do it?”

“When we get back to LA; Dr. Jolie said that he would refer us to the head of fertility whenever we wanted.” Roslyn nodded her head, an overwhelming feeling of excitement and anticipation bursting within her. All she had wanted was for at least a few of the dreams and goals she had for her life to come true before she died, and when she got the news that death may come sooner than originally planned for her she had shut down, afraid that her dreams would be lost forever, but now, because of Nick, it looked like they would come true after all…and she was ready. With him there to hold her hand and guide her into the next phase of their life together, she knew she could tackle whatever came her way.
Chapter 25 by Andro
Author's Notes:
Here's the next update...things are moving along according to plan...but I wonder...will it really be that easy??? Enjoy!
One month later…

“How long do you think this will take?” Roslyn asked Nick, breaking the anxiety-driven silence that had filled the car since they left their newly purchased four bedroom home in a gated community just outside Los Angeles.

When the newlyweds had returned from Las Vegas, and after breaking the news to their friends and family that they had eloped they went house hunting, finding what they considered to be the perfect love nest only three days later.

It was a family friendly home, all one level, and in addition to the four large bedrooms it had three bathrooms, a game room, a spacious eat-in kitchen with a formal dining room off it, a great room with floor to ceiling windows and a small movie room with theatre seating and a gigantic screen.

The back yard was large and lush, with plenty of room for swing sets and volleyball nets and whatever else kids and adults would enjoy using. There was a pool, which in California was nothing out of the ordinary, almost every house had one, but what made this pool special was it also had a kiddy pool connected to it next to the shallow end of the big pool. It was a foot and a half deep with fountains and water spraying palm trees and water toys that even toddlers could play on.

The minute Roslyn had laid on eyes on that back yard images of her children playing and splashing and running and laughing filled her head and she knew this was the house she wanted. Nick had agreed instantaneously and they closed on the house twelve hours later, and began moving in the very day.

To most people, the pace at which Ros and Nick were going about their lives would seem rushed and presumptuous, but to them, it was all they could ask for. Roslyn loved Nick’s spontaneity and Nick loved having the financial means to be ultra spontaneous, but more importantly, it meant they didn’t have to wait around to do what they wanted like some people would have to, and it meant they could live life fully at every moment, the need to do so never leaving the back of their minds.

“I’m not sure babe, but does it really matter?” he responded, taking his eyes off the road for a second to look at her.

They were on their way to Cedars Sinai Medical Center for an appointment with Dr. Navarro, the head of fertility and reproduction at the world-renowned facility. Today they were taking the first step into the world of surrogate pregnancy, Dr. Navarro was going to extract and freeze dozens of Roslyn’s eggs that would later be fertilized and implanted in another woman’s uterus, and both Roslyn and Nick had a range of emotions and numerous thoughts running through their heads, making conversation difficult to execute, unless it was about the aforementioned appointment.

“Not really. I would lay on that table for days if it meant us having a baby together, it’s just that Kaci wanted to know what time we’d be done. She said something about doing dinner tonight.”

“Sweetie, it’s only 9:08 in the morning; I’m sure we’ll be done by dinner time.” He reached out his hand and put in on her thigh, squeezing gently in reassurance. He was as nervous as she was, but it was a positive nervous; it meant that great things were soon to come.

One minute later he turned the wheel to the right, slowly pulling into the patient parking lot and finding a spot to park. He and Roslyn hopped out and walked hand in hand into the building, following the signs and arrows that directed them where to go.

As they approached the registration desk and checked in Nick’s cell phone rang, causing the nurse at the desk to cast a scolding look at him and then point to the sign on the wall that said the use of cell phones was not permitted inside the hospital.

“Sorry,” he said sheepishly as he turned his phone off and slid it back in his pocket. Roslyn giggled a little as she and Nick took two seats in the waiting area. “What are you laughing at?”

“No matter where we go, you always find some way to get in trouble,” she responded, more laughter erupting from her. Before Nick could respond Roslyn’s name was called, and they were escorted through the door towards the procedure room. An hour and a half later it was done and Nick and Roslyn walked out of the hospital with the satisfaction of knowing her eggs were being prepared for storage at that very moment until they found the perfect woman to carry their baby.

“You should probably turn your phone back on and check your messages; maybe The Surrogacy Center called,” Roslyn mentioned as they made their way towards the car. They were expecting a return call from The Surrogacy Center, a service that matches women qualified to be surrogates with hopeful parents. Nick insisted on using only the best place, a place that frequently had well-known celebrities as clients. They needed a surrogate they could trust, someone that would understand the importance of their situation and not blink an eyelash at the fact that Nick Carter’s baby was inside her.

Nick listened to his messages, his eyes lighting up as he listened to the last one. “They did call, they found a good candidate and they want us to meet her for lunch.”

“Well call them back and tell them yes!” Roslyn shrieked, shaking her head back and forth from excitement. She never thought it would happen this quickly. The reality that she could be holding her newborn baby in her arms within the year brought tears to her eyes. She no longer had to worry about her dreams coming true, they were about to, and she couldn’t wait.

Five minutes later Nick ended the call, explaining to Roslyn that they were going to meet Ms. Lei, the director of The Surrogacy Center, and the woman that would bring their child into the world at The Ivy at 1:00.

“Oh my God Nick it’s really going to happen! We’re going to have a baby!” Roslyn couldn’t contain her excitement and Nick was right along with her.

“Let’s go shopping,” he suggested with a beaming smile as he pulled out of the parking lot. Twenty minutes later they pulled up outside Petit Tresor, a trendy clothing store for babies that is frequented by many of Hollywood’s elite parents and expecting parents. They spent the rest of the morning shopping, both in seventh heaven, knowing they would soon have a baby to go with their purchases.
Chapter 26 by Andro
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the wait guys...here's the next chapter! I hope you enjoy it! And if you think that things are kind of boring just hold on...cause there is some major drama coming up shortly!
At five minutes to one Nick and Roslyn stepped onto the patio at The Ivy and took their seats at the table reserved for them in the outdoor dining room. Roslyn nervously sipped the water that a waitress had placed in front of her while Nick eyed every woman that walked in the direction of the table, wondering if she was the woman they were going to be meeting.

Right on the dot of one o’clock a familiar face appeared in the doorway and made her way to the table, followed closely by a pretty woman in her late 20’s.

“Nick, Roslyn, so good to see you again,” the woman said with a smile as she air kissed them on the cheek on at a time.

“Gladys, thank you for getting back to us so quickly,” Roslyn responded, turning her attention from Gladys Lei, the director of the Surrogacy Center, to the woman standing behind her. She smiled warmly at the woman, waiting impatiently for Ms. Lei to introduce them.

“This is Rebecca Jordan,” Gladys announced, motioning towards the woman. “Rebecca, this is Nick and Roslyn Carter.” Rebecca shook hands with the hopeful couple and then the foursome took their seats around the table. After they ordered, Gladys continued with the introductions, filling Nick and Roslyn in on Rebecca and her history.

“I was born through a surrogate pregnancy, so believe me when I tell you how much I understand the importance of this to you both,” Rebecca added as the waiter set the plates of food down in front of them. Roslyn and Nick nodded their heads appreciatively at her statement, growing fonder and fonder of the young woman with each passing minute. They were starting to trust to her, starting to feel a bond with her; they liked her very much and had a good feeling about her being the woman to bring their child into the world.

As they enjoyed their lunches, Ms. Lei continued answering their questions and explaining anything they weren’t sure of or didn’t understand.

“So does she live with us then or how does that work?” Roslyn inquired, taking a bite of her salad.

“It’s entirely up to the three of you to decide what arrangement is going to work the best. Some couples prefer to have the surrogate living with them so they can monitor what she eats, how much sleep she gets, things like that, but in most cases, and when you have an experienced surrogate like Rebecca, the want to keep an eye on her 24-7 is not needed.”

As if Rebecca read Nick and Roslyn’s minds she jumped in to answer the question they were going to ask before they could ask it. “I’ve been a surrogate for six couples.”

“You’ve had six babies?” Nick asked his mouth dropping as he said it.

“Actually, I’ve given birth to thirteen babies,” she responded with a chuckle. It always shocked people when she told them; she had a very toned, lean body that showed now evidence of being pregnant that many times, and although she was 29 years old, she looked younger than her age and that seemed to shock people even more. “Four of the pregnancies were multiples. Two were twins, one was triplets and the other was quadruplets.”

Nick and Roslyn sat silently, staring at the woman in front of them with disbelief. If she delivered thirteen babies successfully and none of the couples had any problems with her, then they figured she was the right person to deliver their baby.

By the time they had finished eating, they knew everything there was to know about surrogate pregnancy. There were no unanswered questions and no doubts in their minds. Rebecca had informed them that her body would be ready for the invetrofertilization in two weeks and after a quick phone call to Dr. Navarro’s office to confirm he would be able to do the procedure at that time the plan was set.

After agreeing to another meeting before the procedure on the 8the and then bidding Rebecca and Ms. Lei farewell, Nick and Roslyn drove home, excited to share the news with their friends and family. As they turned the corner towards their house, however, Nick’s phone rang. Glancing at the caller ID he saw it was AJ and answered the phone immediately, feeling the urge to tell someone right away that they were going to have a baby filling his mind.

“Hey man, guess what?” Nick shouted into the phone without so much as a “hello” first.

“Nick, you and Roslyn have to get over here right away; something’s happened,” AJ spat into the phone before Nick could continue.

“What? What’s wrong? Are you okay?”

“Just get here as fast as you can!” With that, AJ ended the call and Nick was panicked.

“We have to get over to AJ’s, he said something’s wrong,” Nick told Roslyn as he turned the steering wheel sharply to make a U-turn. Ten minutes later the car squealed to a stop in AJ and Kaci’s driveway and Nick and Roslyn flew out of the car and ran up the walkway, bursting into the house like an explosion.

“AJ? Kaci? Where are you?” Nick called out as they walked through the foyer and into the living room.

“Surprise!”

Nick and Roslyn jumped as they walked into the living room and found their friends and family waiting there.

“What’s going on? You said it was an emergency!” Nick questioned as he looked around the room.

“No, I said something’s happened, I never said there was an emergency,” AJ responded, cracking a sideways smile at his flustered friend’s expression. “We knew it would be the only way we could get you over here so fast!”

“Welcome to your surprise wedding reception,” Kaci announced as she walked towards Roslyn and hugged her. “We wanted to do something special for you guys since we weren’t at the wedding.”

“How long have you been planning this?” Roslyn questioned, giving her cousin a sly look.

“Since the day after you got back. All of us wanted to be there and we weren’t so now we are celebrating!” Roslyn and Nick looked at each other and started laughing, shrugging their shoulders and giving in to the festivities. They were very happy that their family and friends went through all of this to give them a reception and they were not going to let it go to waste.

“Maybe it’s better this way,” Roslyn whispered into Nick’s ear. “I think we should wait to say anything about having a baby until Rebecca is actually pregnant. It’s going to be hard enough to explain to everyone anyway and I would rather just wait, is that okay with you?”

“Yeah, it’s okay,” he whispered back, giving her a quick peck on the cheek. “Let’s just celebrate us tonight okay?” Roslyn nodded her head, fully willing to bask in the glory of her and Nick and the happiness they have together…..because happiness won’t last forever.
Chapter 27 by Andro
Author's Notes:
Okay guys, here's the next chapter....I made it a little longer than normal since I made you wait so long for it...and I hope you enjoy it!
Roslyn looked at the clock on the wall, anxiety flowing rapidly through her body. It was only eleven o’clock in the morning and time wasn’t going fast enough for her. She reached for the cordless phone that was setting on the coffee table in front of her and picked it up gingerly. She stared at it for about a minute before quickly punching the numbers and then putting the phone up to her ear.

“Hello?”

“Hey Rebecca, it’s Roslyn, are you doing anything before the appointment?” Rebecca’s laughter on the other end of the phone caught her off guard.

“A little nervous huh?” Rebecca responded with understanding in her tone.

“I’m a basket case,” Roslyn admitted, a chuckle escaping her mouth too.

“Don’t worry, everything will be fine,” Rebecca reassured her as she smoothed her shirt down over her obtruding belly. “Why don’t we meet for lunch at Gardens and calm you down a little.”

“I don’t know how you do it, Bec. You’re the one having the baby and I’m the one teetering on the edge of insanity!”

“This is my job Roslyn, I’m a professional,” Rebecca joked back. “So what do you say? Meet there in twenty?”

After the two women had solidified their lunch plans and said goodbye, Roslyn rushed upstairs to change her clothes. Ten minutes later she was out the door and on her way to The Four Seasons Hotel, the building that housed the restaurant Gardens. As she drove down the road she pressed the call button on the built in car-phone and said “Nick” out loud, then waited for it to ring. His phone went straight to voicemail, leading her to believe he must still be in the studio.

“Hey baby. I’m meeting Bec at Gardens in ten minutes for an early lunch before the appointment; if you can make it give me a call. I love you.”

She ended the call, hoping he would get her voicemail in time but doubting he would. He had made special arrangements to leave the studio early today as it was so he could make it to the appointment later this afternoon and the chance of him being able to leave to meet them for lunch was a slim one.

As long as he’s there for the appointment is all I care about, Roslyn reminded herself as she pulled into the parking lot of the hotel. This appointment was the big one; the one that would let them know their baby was ready to make its grand entrance into the world.

Roslyn reflected on that as she walked through the lobby towards the restaurant. This time tomorrow I could be holding my child in my arms! If the ultrasound today shows that the baby is big enough, the C-section will be scheduled for tomorrow morning! I can’t believe it!

After she walked into the restaurant and spoke to the hostess, she took a seat on the bench to wait for Rebecca. Over the past eight and a half months, she and Rebecca had formed quite a connection to each other. The surrogacy experience, something that had been so unknown and unsure for both Roslyn and Nick going into it had turned out so wonderfully thanks to Rebecca. She held their hands through every step, which seemed odd to them, seeing as how Rebecca was the pregnant one and they should have been taking care of her.

The invetro procedure had worked perfectly on the first try, something neither Nick nor Roslyn had expected. They really didn’t think it would be that easy, but it was, and they were very grateful for that. Although Rebecca had suffered through some pretty heavy morning sickness, which didn’t seem to contain itself to just morning hours so there was a running joke about it being morning, noon, and night sickness, the first trimester went according to schedule as well.

Around 20 weeks, however, Rebecca had undergone the routine test for gestational diabetes and it came back abnormal, leading to another test to confirm the condition. After she was diagnosed, Rebecca was put on a low carb diet to control the disease, along with a prenatal exercise program and meeting with a registered nurse once a week to check her progress. The diabetes was kept under control and the rest of the pregnancy went smoothly.

Now, at 36 weeks into the pregnancy, Rebecca’s blood sugar levels were getting more and more difficult to control, which was causing the baby to gain weight at a faster rate than most babies do at this stage of the pregnancy. That was the reason for the ultrasound today. Rebecca’s doctor had estimated that the baby weighed around eight pounds, and if she carried the baby to term, for another four weeks, the baby could potentially grow to over ten pounds. For Rebecca’s sake and the baby’s health, the doctor decided, if the baby weighed what he thought it did, they would schedule a c-section early.

“A penny for your thoughts,” Rebecca said quietly as she walked up behind Roslyn, startling her a little. Roslyn stood up and the two women embraced, with some difficulty seeing as how Rebecca’s stomach protruded quite a bit from the rest of her medium sized frame.

After they released, they followed the hostess to their table, which was set in the corner of the outdoor patio, allowing them some privacy from the rest of the diners. As the two women ate, they chatted, trying hard to talk about things other than the pregnancy and the baby. Roslyn felt a friendship forming with Rebecca that she wanted to continue after the baby was born, and if all they had in common was the baby, that would make it very difficult.

When they had finished their meal and taken the last sips of the decaffeinated coffee drinks they had settled on for dessert, the two women paid the bill and left the restaurant.

“Where’s your car?” Roslyn asked Rebecca as they walked towards the parking lot.

“I took a cab; I don’t fit behind the wheel anymore,” Rebecca said with a laugh.

Rebecca flopped into the front seat of Roslyn’s car and the two women headed towards the clinic. Lunch had taken more time than they had thought, and now they only had twenty minutes to get across town. They made it though, with little time to spare, and as they entered the reception area they were met by Nick.

“Sorry I couldn’t make it to lunch,” he said, kissing Roslyn on the cheek and squeezing Rebecca’s arm gently.

“It’s okay, it was more fun without you anyway,” Roslyn joked, flashing him a coy smile. A nurse called Rebecca in right away, so Nick and Roslyn took their seats in the waiting room and did just that, waited until they were called back. Once the technician got all the measurements she needed, Nick and Ros could go back and see the baby on the screen, something they were very excited about. They had not seen the baby since the first ultrasound at nineteen weeks.

“I can’t believe we may have a baby girl or boy tomorrow,” Nick said quietly, his eyes twinkling with excitement.

“Me either….thank you.”

“For what?”

“For giving me everything I’ve ever dreamed of; love, happiness, children. You’ve made it all happen for me Nickolas, and I don’t think I say it enough.” She laid her head against his arm and he leaned down and kissed the top of her head.

“Thank you too,” he said softly.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“Well, Mr. and Mrs. Carter, I think it’s safe to say that you better have names picked out because you’re having a baby tomorrow,” Dr. Madsen announced in a hearty voice. They were all in the small ultrasound room, staring at the black and white image on their child moving around on the screen. It looked quite different from the ultrasound seventeen weeks ago; even Nick could pick out the body parts correctly now.

“Are you sure you don’t want to know the sex?” Dr. Madsen continued, moving the instrument across Rebecca’s stomach.

“We’re going to find out tomorrow; I think we can wait one more day,” responded Roslyn with tears in her eyes.

“Okay,” chuckled Dr. Madsen as wiped the gel off Rebecca’s stomach and helped her to a sitting position. “We’ll leave and let you get dressed,” he told Rebecca “and then we’ll all meet in my office and go over everything for tomorrow.” Nick, Roslyn, Dr. Madsen and the technician left the room while Rebecca got dressed, and five minutes later they were all seated, minus the technician of course, in the doctor’s office, listening intently to what he was telling them.

“You’ll need to be here by six tomorrow morning and Rebecca, make sure you don’t eat anything past midnight tonight. All it will do is make your stomach more upset when we administer the meds. We’ll prep you and you should be in surgery by seven-thirty and the proud parents should have baby by eight, sound like a plan?” Everyone nodded their heads, feeling very at ease with Dr. Madsen and the procedure set for tomorrow.

After going over a few more things, Roslyn, Nick and Rebecca left the clinic. Nick had to go back to the studio for a few hours to wrap up some loose ends before his paternity leave, so he and Roslyn kissed goodbye and hopped in separate vehicles.

“You don’t have to take me home Ros, I can get a cab,” argued Rebecca as she climbed into Roslyn’s car with a little difficulty. Moving around was not as easy anymore with a large pregnant belly, but it would all be over with tomorrow and that comforted Rebecca. She loved being pregnant and helping couples bring children into the world, but it also weight heavily on her and her body, as pregnancy does with any woman.

“It’s not a problem Bec, just get in,” responded Ros with a smile as she watched her friend flop down onto the passenger seat. As she looked at Rebecca struggling to get the seatbelt around her enlarged form, she couldn’t help the tears that formed in her eyes. “Thank you Rebecca,” she said with a smile as she rested her hand on Rebecca’s arm. “Thank you so much.”

Rebecca smiled at Roslyn, knowing exactly how thankful she was for this baby. “You’re welcome,” was all she said before leaning her head against the seat and closing her eyes. It would be a good forty minute drive to her apartment with traffic and she knew this would be as good a chance as any to catch a quick nap.

Roslyn steered the car carefully along the highway, making pretty good time despite the congestion that was starting to invade the road. It was approaching four o’clock and quitting time and that was quite evident the closer Roslyn got to the center of the city. Deciding it would be faster to take the surface streets for the next ten blocks instead of dealing with a potential traffic jam on the interstate, she exited the highway.

Twenty-five minutes later she pulled along the curb in front of Rebecca’s apartment complex.

“Bec, you’re home,” Roslyn whispered, nudging her gently. Rebecca opened her eyes groggily and smiled as her eyes fell on the front of her building.

“Thanks for the ride Roslyn. I’ll see you in the morning.” Rebecca exited the vehicle and waddled up the front steps of her complex, turning around to wave at Roslyn before disappearing into the building.

Roslyn pulled away from the curb and made her way home, all the way thinking about tomorrow and how it would not come fast enough. What she didn’t know, however, was that the tomorrow she was looking for would never come.
Chapter 28 by Andro
Rebecca let out a fatigued sigh as she flopped down onto her sand colored suede sofa and propped her feet up on the coffee table situated in front of her.

“God, I am exhausted,” she huffed, reaching for the remote to the TV but then giving up when she couldn’t reach it without moving. Still feeling tired after her short nap in the car, she snuggled down further onto the couch and rested her head against the back of it, propping her arm up on the side for extra support. Seconds later she was asleep again, snoring peacefully as her body tired to recuperate from the trials of pregnancy.

When she awoke hours later it was completely dark in her apartment, leading her to believe it was after eight pm.

“So much for a short nap; now I’ll be up all night,” she moaned as she stretched her arms over her head and attempted to wake up her senses. She pushed herself off the back of the couch and struggled to stand, finally gaining her balance before walking over to the table next to the couch and fumbling for the switch that would turn on the lamp.

With a click of the switch the room illuminated, easing the creepy feeling Rebecca had gotten in her stomach from being in her apartment in the dark. Ever since she was a child, darkness had been scary to her, and now, as an adult, she rarely was ever caught without at least a small lamp on somewhere in the apartment.

“I know baby, I know,” she said softly as she rubbed her stomach, a hungry growl escaping from it. “Let’s see what we can find to eat.” She waddled over to the refrigerator, opening it and peering inside. Finding nothing that seemed appealing, she wrinkled her nose at the contents and then quickly shut the door again.

As she turned from the fridge her eyes landed on the piece of paper falling from the counter. “Hmmm, Chinese food,” she said quietly as the paper landed on the ground. It was a menu from the Chinese takeout place down the street and right then, something spicy, saucy, and ethnic was calling her name. Loudly.

Surrendering to yet another pregnancy induced craving, Rebecca slipped her swollen feet into a pair of flip flops, grabbed her purse and a light sweater and headed out the door in search of takeout.

“Good thing I grabbed the sweater,” she commented to herself as she stepped outside and a small shiver racked her body. The sun had set twenty minutes ago and the chill of the evening was now taking over where warmth and sunlight had been a few hours earlier. It was refreshing though; it was not very often that the sky in Los Angeles was so clear and the air so fresh.

Maybe I’ll take the long way, Rebecca thought and she inhaled deeply and wrapped her sweater around her enlarged form tighter. What a beautiful night. She walked slowly down the block, enjoying the music and conversations floating out of the windows and doors of the restaurants, bars and apartments she passed. The buildings seemed to be full of life, but the streets however, were very quiet and empty for this time of the evening.

As she approached the Chinese restaurant she passed by two young adults and a younger child. Rebecca estimated that the two older boys were around sixteen or seventeen and the younger boy was around ten or eleven. They had been talking quite loudly, almost as if they were arguing, when she was approaching but as she passed them, their conversation stopped suddenly and they watched her walk past, eyeing her carefully.

She made eye contact with the taller of the two older boys, but then quickly looked away. Shaking away the eerie feeling that caused a shiver to run down her spine she quickened her pace and entered the Chinese restaurant eagerly, knowing the friendly sounds and delicious smell of food mixed with a large crowd of people would make her feel a little more secure.

She placed her order and then sat down on the bench in the entry way to wait. Her mind drifted back to the boys outside as she sat, wondering why some teenagers would be arguing with a little kid. What is a ten year old going to do to big boys like that to make them mad…put dirt in their food? He’s a harmless little kid.

A few minutes later her order was ready and, after paying her bill and asking for a couple extra soy sauce packets, she exited the restaurant.

“Hmmm, they’re gone,” Rebecca said out loud as looked towards the corner the boys had been standing on and saw no one. Hopefully they went in the opposite direction I’m going, she thought as she started towards her apartment. She crossed the street and continued on the walk back to her apartment, but as she came up to the next corner she heard yelling from down the alley.

“Where is it you little thief?” The voice was deep and she wondered if it was the same young man she saw earlier on the street.

“I told you already, I gave it to Big P when he made the drop!” This voice was higher, like it belonged to a child who hadn’t gone through puberty yet.

“Bullsh it! I talked to P an hour ago and he said he didn’t get the money or the goods back!” This was another deep voice, but not the same as the first man who spoke. She felt almost positive now that this was the trio she had walked passed earlier.

As she got closer she heard a click, causing her to stop suddenly. It sounded like a gun being cocked.

“What are you gonna do, shoot me? You’ll never get your stuff back that way.”

“No, we’re just going to kick the ever loving shit out of you.” All she heard next was the sounds of grunts and cries of pain as someone was being assaulted.

She clung to the wall, the bag of Chinese food slipping slowly out of her grasp as she tried to stay quiet and not be seen, hoping they would just leave and she could get home, home to her quiet, safe apartment.

“You’ve got til tomorrow to come up with the money or the dope…if I don’t have one if my hands tomorrow you’re momma’s gonna be burying another son, you hear me?”

Mother of God, they are going to come out of the alley and see me standing here and then what? Rebecca looked frantically from side to side, trying to find a doorway or any place she could hide in until the boys left.

“Do you hear me?” one of the boys asked, sounding even more irritated because the younger boy hadn’t answered him yet. She heard the click again and imagined the scene around the corner—a young boy huddled up on the ground, bleeding and injured and two older boys standing over him, one of them pointing a gun right at him.

“Fu ck you!” was all she heard from the younger boy before the ear-shattering sound of the gun going off reverberated through the cool night air.

Roslyn screamed, dropping the bag of Chinese food at her feet.

“What was that?” one of the older boys asked as they heard the commotion outside the alley. In the next instant, the taller boy with the gun was standing before her, the large metal barrel pointed at her, and she was wrapped up in the other boy’s dark arms, struggling to get away from his strong hold.

“I didn’t see anything I swear!” she cried. “Please, let me go!”

The boy with the gun stepped closer to her, resting the barrel against her protruding stomach. “I don’t believe you,” he snarled, cocking the gun and pushing it harder into her belly, causing Rebecca to cry out in pain.

“Please, please don’t do this,” she whispered, unable to speak any louder than that. “I won’t say anything, you have to believe me.”

The boy stared at her for a long time, as if trying to figure out what to do. “I guess I believe her, do you believe her?” he said to the other boy, never taking his eyes off of Rebecca’s.

“She wouldn’t lie to us, man, she wouldn’t dare lie to us,” the other boy responded, squeezing her tighter as he said the word dare.

The boy with the gun stepped back from Rebecca and nodded at the other one, still looking Rebecca in the eyes. The dark arms that had been holding her captive released and Rebecca was free.

“Thank you,” she whispered as she turned and starting running towards her apartment.

“You’re very welcome,” was the last thing she heard before another gunshot rang through the air and everything went black.
Chapter 29 by Andro
Author's Notes:
Okay guys...I have the next chapter done. I know this chapter may upset some of you, but please remember this is a fictional story and not all stories have happy resolutions to problems. I hope you enjoy it and I'll try not to make you wait so long for the next chapter!
“Stay with me lady…STAY WITH ME!” Rebecca could hear the frantic yells from what seemed like a distance away, but she couldn’t do what the voice was saying. She couldn’t hold on any longer. She could feel the blood draining from her body, coldness filing her heart just as coldness fills ones stomach after swallowing a big bite of ice cream.

She had never felt such pain before, the pain of being shot, the pain of a bullet impaling her flesh right between her shoulder blades. It still burned, she could feel it slightly, but mostly all she felt now was numbness….and cold.

“We’re losing her! Blood pressure is dropping!”

They were right, they were losing her, and there was no way to save her. The bullet had impacted itself into her left lung and she would be dead before they could get her to the hospital and remove it. They were trained professional, they knew she wasn’t going to make it, but more importantly, so did she.

“I’m sorry,” she breathed, finding it more difficult with each passing second.

“What?” the EMT hissed, watching Rebecca’s mouth intently to read her lips. He grasped his hand around hers and prodded for her to say it again. “I’m listening,” he said pleadingly, knowing the words she would speak would be her last and wanting so desperately to let her know they would be heard.

“T-tell…tell them….I-I’m sor-ry.” With the last syllable out of her mouth she was gone but the ambulance continued to speed toward the hospital. There was still one life they would try to save and hopefully they weren’t too late.

The ambulance screeched to a stop outside the emergency room and a stream of medical personnel poured through the sliding doors towards the ambulance.

“OR is ready we just need to get her in there,” one of the nurses yelled to the EMT’s as they rushed to unload Rebecca from the ambulance. If they could get her into the operating room and perform an emergency cesarean section, the baby might be saved, but the chances were slim. As soon as Rebecca died, oxygen stopped flowing to the baby, and at this point, even if they could revive the infant after birth, the chances of brain damage were high.

Seconds later Rebecca’s body was being whisked into the operating room; the doctor’s and nurses hoping some triumph would come from this heinous crime, but feeling doubtful that any would.

“God be with her,” one of the EMT’s said quietly as he watched Rebecca’s body disappear through the large swinging door, making the sign of the cross quickly over his body. He was about to turn and leave when he remembered what Rebecca had said to him right before she passed on.

“Hey Lily,” he said quietly to one of the nurses at the desk. She was busy entering Rebecca’s information into the computer, but looked up politely at him.

“Yeah Greg?”

“She said something before she died, and I don’t know who she was talking about, but maybe her family will.” Lily grabbed a piece of paper and a pen from the breast pocket of her scrubs and smiled.

“I’ll write it down and give it to whomever shows up to ID her,” she said somberly, waiting for Greg to continue.

“She said, ‘Tell them I’m sorry’.” Lily nodded her head and wrote the message down.

“Thanks for remembering that Greg; I’m sure that apology will be very comforting to whomever she meant it for when they find out what happened.”


***************************************


The shrill ring of the bedroom phone at two-fifteen in the morning startled Nick and Roslyn to awareness.

“What the hell?” Nick mumbled as he reached for the lamp and knocked everything off the night stand. The phone kept ringing, the loud noise filling the quite peacefulness of night sending an almost panicked feeling through his body and he raced to find the light and then the phone.

“Hello?” he said hoarsely into the phone after managing to answer it.

“Nick, this is Gladys Lei from The Surrogacy Center. Something’s happened with Rebecca and I need you and Roslyn to meet me at Good Samaritan Hospital.” Her tone was somber; sending a shudder of fear through Nick’s half naked body. Suddenly he felt chilled and his boxer shorts were not enough clothing to warm him.


***********************************************************************



She ran down the long corridor blindly, stumbling and struggling to regain her footing with each falter, tears blurring her sight but refusing to overflow from their boundaries. She couldn’t breathe, couldn’t speak, her mind playing the sentences over and over, smothering her with the truth she would have given her own life to change, the truth that God had taken His greatest gift to her away.

“Roslyn! Roslyn stop!”

She could hear Nick calling for her from behind, but she did not stop. She had to keep her legs moving, her heart racing, her body as alive as she could keep it for she was afraid that if she stopped, she would die of a broken heart.

“I’m sorry Mr. and Mrs. Carter, we tried everything, but too much time had passed….”

The words rang in her ears as she fled the confines of the building and ran into the parking lot.

“The child had been without oxygen for over 10 minutes and our attempts at resuscitating the infant were unsuccessful…”

More tears built up in her eyes without spilling over the lids; she continued to run blindly, scrambling for a way out of pain she was in.

“Roslyn, please! Stop running!”

Nick was still a ways behind her, running after her and pleading for her to stop, but she wouldn’t, she couldn’t. Her baby was dead, the baby she had wanted so badly, the baby that was scheduled to be born eight hours from now, the baby that she was going to hold in her arms but now never would.

She wiped at her eyes as she approached the street, realizing that she could not see where she was going but still not stopping. She heard the blare of a car horn and saw the beam of headlights shining at her but she did not stop. It was only when the squeal of the tires and smell of burnt rubber came over her that she ceased movement and buckled onto the pavement beneath her.

“Jesus Christ lady,” the driver of the car yelled as he jumped out. The hood of the car was stopped only inches from where Roslyn sat, sobbing for herself and the loss of her child. The man stared at her, his rage turning into concern and puzzlement as he watched this stranger’s heart breaking in front of him.

“Roslyn!” Nick yelled as he approached the scene and knelt down beside her, pulling her fragile, shaking body against his own.

“She ran right out in front of me,” the driver explained, unsure of what to say or what to do. “Is she alright?” His concern was evident as he stared wide-eyed, waiting for an answer. He could tell just by looking at her that she wasn’t, he didn’t need anyone to tell him that.

“I’m sorry sir,” a woman said softly as she approached the vehicle. She had on scrubs and her name tag read “Mona”; she was a staff member of the hospital. “This woman just received some very disturbing news and, as you can see, is very distraught about it. Please accept our apologies.”

The driver shook his head, glancing away from Mona and looking down at the sobbing woman on the ground. He didn’t know what news she had received, but it was obviously something very painful. God, be with this woman as she deals with her agony, he prayed silently as he got back in his vehicle and slowly backed up, veering his car away from the scene.

“Mr. Carter,” Mona whispered into Nick’s ear as she squatted down next to him, “let’s get your wife inside. We’ll find a room for her and give her a sedative; she’ll be able to sleep the rest of the night.” Nick nodded, standing up and pulling Roslyn off the ground with him.

With his arms wrapped tightly around Roslyn’s frame he led her back into the hospital and to a room where she could sleep.

“Here’s two for you as well,” a nurse said, holding out a small, clear cup with two blue pills in it.

“No thanks,” Nick said, shaking his head from side to side slightly. “I’m fine.” The nurse smiled a little at him and then set the cup down the table next to him.

“In case you change your mind,” she said softly and then exited the room, pulling the door shut behind her. Nick looked over at his wife, her face still streaked with tears, as she slept soundly on the bed. He knew he had to be strong, both of them couldn’t crumble at the same time, but now that she was sleeping, he could no longer hold it together.

It started as a few tears which he wiped away quickly, but eventually he couldn’t keep up as the drops turned into rivers and deep, painful sobs began bursting from his lungs. He didn’t hear anyone come into the room, and when he felt a pair of arms drape around him he didn’t move. Through his tears he saw the tattooed arms wrapped around him, comforting him, refusing to let him mourn alone. He knew it was okay to let it out, and he did, because there was nothing left to lose.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=7873