All I Ever Needed by LuLu8806
Summary: They say that love conquers everything, and that love is all you need. Just how true are those two statements. Is love all you really need? And does love really conquer everything, including hurt?
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Brian, Nick, Other
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 10239 Read: 8173 Published: 06/28/06 Updated: 06/29/06

1. Chapter 1 by LuLu8806

2. Chapter 2 by LuLu8806

3. Chapter 3 by LuLu8806

4. Chapter 4 by LuLu8806

5. Chapter 5 by LuLu8806

6. Chapter 6 by LuLu8806

Chapter 1 by LuLu8806
Author's Notes:
So yeah. I dont know the Backstreet Boys, their families, their wives, their record label. Pretty much everyone associated with them I do not know. I wish it were different, but I wouldn't be writing fan fiction about them now would I? All of this is made up in this little brain of mine. Anything that happens in this story, if it happened in real life, is purely coincedental, and no copyright infringement is intended.

Now that that's over...ON WITH THE STORY!! Hope you enjoy! Tell me what you think! One more thing, when there is more than two spaces the scene either has changed or there is a flashback. I had the flashback in italics but it didnt show. I'll try and get that fixed, but for now we'll have to deal. Sorry for the inconveinence.
"I'm getting on the plane right now." Lori said into her cell phone, as she put her carry on bag in the over head compartment.

"I'm so excited! I can't wait to see you." said the voice on the other end of the conversation

"I know it's been a while." she said smiling as she sat in her seat. She looked out the window, and saw other planes, and the setting sun sinking beneath the trees. She sighed nervously. She wasnt so sure she should be doing this.

"Too long is more like it. Me and Alex are going to be picking you up at the airport, your flight lands at 10:00 right?"

Lori looked down at the watch on her wrist. Just two more hours, and she'd be forced to face her past.

"Yes. Um, Erin?"

"Yes?"

"Does he know about...me, coming?"

Erin sighed, "Yeah, he does."

"Does he even care?"

"He isnt going to show it, but I know he does."

"I dont know if I should be doing this."

"Hey, you are as much our friend as he is. Just because you guys broke up doesnt mean that rest of us broke up with you, or vice versa. If he doesnt like it, he can lump it. He already knows how I feel about it."

"It's going to be to awkward, and this is Leighanne's weekend. I don't want any drama to take the focus from her."

"Honey, Leighanne wants you here just as much as I do. Nick already knows the reprecussions of messing with Leighanne, especially right now."

Lori smiled and laughed at the thought. Leighanne was expecting her and Brian's second child, and was due any day now. She was invited to stay with Erin and AJ for the birth of their neice. Leighanne was ecstatic when she found out Lori was coming, and would have wanted nothing more than her prescence being there.

"Well, they're calling for us to put away our cellphones, so I guess I'll call you when I get the chance."

"Alright, have a safe flight ok?"

Lori smiled, "Wouldn't want it any other way. Love you."

"You too, babe. Bye."

And with that Lori closed her phone and slipped it back into her purse. No matter how much reassurance she got, nothing was going to change the way she was feeling. She and Nick left so much unsaid when they broke up.


"What are you doing?" he asked looking at her from the other side of the bed.

"What does it look like?" she said as she looked up at him when she threw the handful of clothes into the bag.

"We're not threw here."

"Oh we're more than through. I'm sick of this bullshit." she said as she walked over to her draweres that she shared with Nick.

"So, what? You're just going to leave, is that it? What about us?"

"What about US, Nick? Huh? Did you think about US when you were out till 3 A.M. last night? Did you think about us when you got that red mark on your neck, that I KNOW I didnt put there!" she yelled as she threw a pair of socks at him, as tears streamed down her cheeks.

"I told you she didnt mean anything to me!"

"That's a bullshit alibi and you know it!" she said opening the drawer. She rummaged through it, not finding what she wanted, slammed it shut, and opened another.


She should have stayed. She should have listened to him. It wasnt just his fault, she had a hand in their break up too. This break up was the worst that she had ever been through. Not only did she loose her boyfriend, but she also lost her best friend. When she got out of a bad break up, Nick was always there to pick up the pieces. He wasnt there anymore. She couldnt pick up the phone and call him anymore when she needed to talk. Well, of course she had Leigh and Erin, but they werent Nick. They didnt know her like Nick did. The only person that knew her better than herself was Nick. There were so many signs now that she thought back on their relationship. If she would have stopped and paid more attention maybe she could have saved them both some heartache.

"Attention all passengers. Please make sure that your trays are in their upright locked position, as we began to taxi out to the runway..."

Her attention wandered out the window. This was her last chance. Her last chance to get back off the plane, and back to the life that she had made for herself. Back to her comfort zone. Back to life without the love her life. All of that sounded nice, but why wasnt she making the move?
Chapter 2 by LuLu8806
Author's Notes:
Remember more than two spaces means scene has changed or there is a flashback.
Lori held onto the straps of her carry-on bag and purse, that sat comfortably on her shoulder. Her black velour lounge pants that hung loose on her hips, and white cotton tank top that showed just a smidge of tummy, were wrinkled from the long three hour sit that she had on the plane. She was surprised she could still feel her ass. She groggily looked around for a sign of her friends, and smiled when she saw AJ walking toward her.

"Love of my life! Look at you." AJ said as he smiled walking up to her, and wrapping her in a tight hug.

"I look like death warmed over. I feel it too." she said, but her response was muffled by his shirt almost being stuffed in her mouth.

"I missed you so much. How've you been?" he asked as he kissed her on the temple. He wrapped an arm around her, and let his hand rest on her hip as they made their way to the baggage claim.

"Pretty good actually. I'm working as a nurse at a children's hospital in New York. I have a lot of wonderful friends. I get too see my brother and his family almost every weekend. He has three kids now." she said with a huge smile on her face as she talked about her family, and job. She really liked what she had done with her life.

"Well, I can see that you're really happy. I guess I can forgive you for staying away so long." he said as he squeezed her closer to him.

Lori smiled, and leaned her head against his shoulder as they continued their way too the baggage claim.

"Where's that sexy wife of yours?" she asked

"She.."

As if on cue, Erin walked out of the bathroom that they were just about to pass. She looked over at her husband, and a chourus of squeals from both women left AJ wincing, and grabbing Lori's bags before they hit the ground.

"You're here." she said as she ran her way to Lori with open arms, that immediately engulfed Lori into a hug.

"I missed you soo much!" Lori said as they swayed left to right.

"Me too." Erin pulled away from her to get a good look, "Girl look at you. I love the hair, and is that a tattoo I see?" she asked as she saw the tip of her tattoo on her right breast. Her hair had change obviously since the last time that they had saw each other. Her hair used to be to the middle of her back, one length, and light brown. Now it was just above her shoulders, layered, and auburn red.

"Yes, that's a tattoo you see, and thank you." she said as both AJ, and Erin wrapped arms around her.

"Can I see it?" Erin asked.

"Sure." Lori said and pulled her shirt down just enough where they both could see the tattoo without showing everyone her boob. It was a crimson red rose, with one petal falling off.

"That's pretty. I like the color." AJ said, as Erin hit him on the arm, "OW! What the hell was that for?"

"Quit looking at her boob."

"I was LOOKING at her tattoo. Thank you very much."

Lori laughed as they reached the baggage claim. "Which one's your's?" AJ asked.

"That big red roller one." she said pointing at it. "Don't worry I'll get it."

"No mamn. A woman when in presence of a man never carries her own luggage." AJ said as he walked off to grab it.

"He never changes does he?"

"No, and he never will." Erin said looking after husband fondly.

"Leighanne, ready to explode?"

"Girl, she's ticking like a time bomb. Poor Brian, he's trying to help Leighanne, and tend to Baylee at the same time. If she still hasnt gone to the hospital by tomorrow, me and Alex are going to take Baylee off his hands for a while."

"Bless his heart. I talk to Baylee on the phone a lot when I call."

"Good lord woman! Did you fit your whole house in this thing or what?"

"This is a pregnant woman we are talking about here. I could be staying for two weeks, ya never know." Erin said taking over the handle from AJ.

"Shall we ladies?" he asked grabbing his wife's hand, and holding his other hand for Lori to take.

Lori smiled. "We shall."

As much as she loved her life in New York, she couldn't help but feel like she was finally home.
Chapter 3 by LuLu8806
Chapter Three


Lori moaned as she began to slowly make her way out of bed. The sun was pouring through the curtains of the french doors that led out to the balcony in her room.

"Damn." she said as she squinted and pushed her hair out of her eyes. She pushed herself off the edge of the bed, and pulled her dark blue nighty down.

"This sucks." she said as she grabbed her black silk robe off the chaise lounge next to the bathroom door.

As she began to pull her robe on, she heard movement downstairs, and began to make her way down to the land of the living. She had just stepped off the last step, when she heard voices to match the movement that she heard.

"Good morning sunshine."

Lori groaned as she walked into the kitchen to find AJ standing in front of the stove, flipping eggs. "There's coffee made if you want some."

As if someone had just spoke of heaven, her eyes lit up. "You are a god."

"That's not the first time I've heard that."

Lori rolled her eyes, and poured the heavenly liquid into a big coffee mug that was already sitting out. "So what's on the agenda today?" she asked as she leaned up against the counter facing AJ. She closed her eyes and savored the smell filling her nostrils.

"Well, we're having a small 'Almost here, Baby' party here for Leighanne and Brian. Nothing over the top, considering her current condition. We're going to be having it here. That's around 5, 5:30ish though."

She took a sip of her coffee. "Who all's coming?"

"Well, the three of us. Brian, Leighanne, and Baylee, obviously. Howie. Kevin, Kristin's not going to be able to make it she's in LA right now. Nick, and I think that's it." he said looking over at Lori.

"Sound's fun. What are we doing until then?"

"Well, Erin was talking about you and her going shopping or something like that." AJ said waving the spatula around as he talked.

"Watch out you could put an eye out with that thing." Erin said hoarsely as she patted AJ on the butt.

"Those better be the hands of my beautiful wife." AJ said as he scooped up the eggs and put them on a plate.

"The one and only." Erin said as she wrapped her arms around him from the back, and laid her head on his back.

Erin smiled when she saw Lori sitting at the kitchen table drinking her coffee, and looking out the patio door.

"I still cant believe you're here." she said walking over to the table to sit.

Lori smiled as she turned her head toward Erin. "I know me neither."

Erin could see something was sort of off with her, "Lor, you ok?" she asked as she reached out for her hand.

Lori took it, and smiled, "No, I'm fine. I'm just still trying to wake up."

"You sure?"

"Positive."

Erin was about to say something else, but was cut short by AJ bringing over their breakfast.

"She's fine, hon. Now, lets eat this food that I slaved over all morning while you guys were sleeping." he said as he dropped a kiss on his wife's cheek, and did the same to Lori as he walked to his seat.

The truth was though she wasnt fine. She was nervous as hell. How were things suppossed to go with Nick today? Should she try and avoid conversation at all costs? Or should not? Conversation would be awkward, and no conversation would make her seem like she still held a grudge. She didnt know how she felt anymore.

AJ whiped his mouth with a napkin, and looked at Lori who was just staring at her food. "Has it done a trick yet?"

"What?" Lori asked as she looked up at AJ

"Your food, has it done a trick? You havent touched it, yet."

Lori laughed, "I'm not so hungry right now. Would you mind terribly if I went up to take a shower?"

AJ smiled at her, "Not at all. You know where everything is right?"

"Yes, thank you."

Erin watched her friend as she walked up the stairs. She turned back to her husband. "Something's up."

AJ took a bite of his eggs, "Really? I had no clue."

"Shut up."

"I can't imagine what it is, either. Maybe it's coming back home after, oh geez I dont know, six years, but hey who's counting? Then, she hasnt been home a full 24 hours, and she's faced with the reason why she left in the first place." AJ said with sarcasm dripping with every word. "But I'm just an innocent bystander, I really dont know."

Erin glared at him, "Smart ass."

"Well, you know how I feel about this whole thing." AJ said as he grabbed his plate and walked over to the sink.

"Yes, Alex, you made your point about a week ago. Leighanne wanted her here, and Lori agreed to come, there was absolutely no pushing on my part." she said getting up, and doing the same.

"The party? Come on. That wasnt planned until you knew for sure she was coming."

Erin crossed her arms, and glared at him, "Where exactly are you going with this?"

"Lori and Nick are both my friends, and you're putting them both in a very awkward position."

"Are you saying I did this on purpose? I would never put one of my friends in such a position. She wasnt here for the baby shower, and I wanted her to feel included. Yes, I want Nick and Lori back together so bad I can taste it, but this was not intentional."

"I believe you, no match making this week or however long she's here for?"

"No match making." Erin said as she wrapped her arms around his neck. "I promise."

AJ smiled and closed the space between them with a kiss.



A few hours later Erin and Lori were both showered and ready to go shopping. They both kissed AJ goodbye and were en route to the mall. They both wanted to get somethings for Leighanne, and Lori also had to get something for the new baby. Despite her inner conflict, she had an amazing day, spending it with her best friend. By the time luch had rolled around, things changed.

"So, you want to talk about what's bothering you? Not that I dont know what it is already, but maybe I could help." Erin said as she took a drink of her drink.

Lori smiled nervously, "I dont know where to start."

"How about the beginning?"

Lori played with the salad she got for a while, then took a deep breath and decided to voice it. " I don't know what to do about tonight. I mean I knew that I was going to have to be face to face with him sooner or later, but tonight? It just seemed so sudden, and I thought I was ready. Then I realized how soon, and everything that I was so sure about I suddenly doubted. I began to think about whether or not I should avoid him, and how the hell we could make conversation. That is if he even wanted to talk to me."

Erin took a hold of her hand, "Lori, he knew where you were, he could have come after you. He didnt. You werent the only in the relationship."

Lori bit her bottom lip from the inside, and tried to hold back the tears she knew were about to fall. "You dont know how many times I thought about that."

"I know honey. I know."



AJ smiled as he opened the door. "Long time no see man. How's it goin?" he said as he embraced the younger man in a hug.

"Pretty good, just thought I'd drop by." Nick said as he embraced AJ back.

"Come on in, man. The girls are out shopping, I give it an hour or two." he said walking the few steps back into his house.

Nick closed the door behind him, and followed AJ into the living room. "So she's here, huh?"

AJ's head turned to where Nick was standing. He knew all to well the 'she' he was talking about, just surprised how fast he brought it up.

"Yeah, she got in last night. Erin and I picked her up. Sit down, man." he said patting the seat next to him.

"How's she doing?" Nick asked as he sat down.

"I really havent had a chance to talk to her like I'd like too, but you can find out for yourself tonight." AJ said as he turned the TV off. He knew after a few moments that there would be no need for it.

Nick sighed and rubbed his head, "I doubt that'll happen."

"So, your just going to let her go this whole week, and you're going to avoid conversation with her at all costs?"

"Yeah, I doubt that'll happen too."

"Ya know you really have to move past this...hell I dont even know what to call it. Whether you like it or not, she's family. She's part of our little family that we as 'brothers' have built over the last 14 years."

"J, I didnt come over here for this."

"I damn well know you did." he said turning around from his position on the couch. He was now facing him. "You knew she was coming, you knew she was going to be staying here. You haven't been over here in weeks, and now you all of sudden show up? Yeah, your right. You didnt come here for this conversation that we're having, but you came here too see Lori."

Nick couldnt lie. He didnt know why he wanted to see her but he did. He just kept silent.

"That's what I thought." AJ said.

"I don't know what to do man."

"Well one thing you CAN'T do is avoid her." he said as he looked at the magazine that he had picked up.
Chapter 4 by LuLu8806
Author's Notes:
The beginning of this chapter starts out with a flashback. Just so you don't get confused.
"Baby?"

Nick heard the sound of his girlfriend's voice and turned around from his stance on the rail of the balcony. "Yeah?"

"You ok? You've been out here a while." Lori said as she approached him.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I've just been thinking." he said smiling at her.

"About what?" she asked, as he wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Just stuff." he said as he led them over to the swing. They sat down, and he pulled her closer to him.

Lori pulled her legs up on the swing, and curled into Nick. They sat there in the silence and watched the sunset over the ocean.

After a few more moments of silence, she finally broke it. "Do you ever wonder where our relationship is going to go from here?"

Nick winced at the question. That was one of the things that he had been thinking about. He loved her, he knew he did. He loved her with everything that he had and then some, but he just wasnt sure about anything anymore. He wasn't sure he was ready to give up his freedom. He knew she was beginning to get antsy, what normal girl wouldn't after more than four years together?Their relationship had more than passed the last step. It was just waiting there patiently for him to buy a ring, get down on bended knee, and pop the question. They were at that point now, and had been for a while, he just couldnt bring himself to make the move. But to keep peace between him and Lori, he knew he had to answer.

"Sure I do."

"Where do you see it going?"

He felt extremely guilty. She had been dropping so many hints over the last couple of months, and he had picked up on every single one. He just never acted on them.

Breathing in he answered the only answer he could, "Anywhere we want it too."

Before she had the chance to reply he stood up, and pulled her up with him. "Dance with me."

"What?"

"Dance with me." he said as he pulled her closer, and placed his right arm at the small of her back. He felt her begin to relax against him. His left hand was embraced with hers, and he held them too his chest as they danced. No music, just the sound of the waves rushing up onto the shore. He wanted nothing more than to give her what he knew she wanted, but he also knew he wasnt ready for the commitment yet.



After the little confrontation that AJ had with Nick, they easily moved into an easier topic for conversation. But they eventually found their way back to where they were before.

"I was stupid, huh?"

"Where did this come from?"

"I dont know I was just sitting here thinking about me and Lor. All this time I was blaming her, and I was the one that pushed her away."

AJ sat the magazine down on the coffee table, and faced him once again. This time it was more friendly than the last.

"Yeah, you were. No offense."

"None taken." Nick said as he leaned his head back against the back of the couch. "The last five years, I've been looking for something. Then I realize that I already had it, but let it go."

"We all make mistakes, man."

"Yeah, well I think this one I cant fix."

"All mistakes are able to be fixed."

"You think I stand a chance?" Nick asked as he turned his head toward AJ.

AJ looked at him, "You guys have way to much history, for either of you to just leave things the way they are."

Nick smiled as he thought about the history that AJ was talking about. They had been best friends since he had moved from New York to Florida. She knew everything about him, and vice versa. He wished they could back to at least a friendship, but to much had happened. Too much had been left unsaid. There had been so many times he wanted to pick up the phone and call her. Everytime he was in New York, he had got half way around her block then turned back. Once he even got as far as the elevators to her apartment, but decided she probably had no desire to see him anyway. Besides, what would he have said anyway? Hell, he didnt have the slightest clue, and she could walk through that door any minute now.

"I know."

"If you know then do something about it."

"Easier said then done."

AJ figured there was nothing more that he could say. Like Erin, he wanted them back together too. He also knew that pushing them toward each other, wouldnt help matters at all. He couldnt make Nick see the oppurtunity that he had lying in front of him. He had the whole week to make things right, AJ's only wish was that he seized it for all that it was worth.

After a few more moments of silence, Nick decided it was time for him to go.

"Well, I'm gonna get out of here. I'll see you tonight. Is there anything that I need to bring?"

AJ thought for a moment, "No, nothing that I can think of. If I think of something I'll call you."

Nick pulled him into a hug. "Thanks man. I'll see you tonight."

"Alright. Bye." AJ said as he walked with Nick to the door. He watched Nick get into his car, and drive away. He shook his head, as he walked back into his house, and shut the door behind him. He hoped tonight went ok, for everyone's sake.


About an hour after Nick left AJ's the girl's finally made their return home. AJ helped them carry their stuff in and went to make preparations for the party. Around five the guests of honor were the first to arrive.

Lori answered the door knowing who would be on the other side, and she couldnt hold back the smile that was creeping up on her face.

"You're here!" Leighanne squealed, as she waddled as fast as she could the few steps that were between her and Lori. Lori welcomed the hug with open arms.

"Look at you! Are you ready for that thing to come out?"

Leighanne pulled away from her, and looked at her. "Yes, more than you know."

"Look who followed the trail of crumbs back home." Brian said as he embraced Lori in a hug. "It's been too long girl."

"Yes it has." Lori smiled.She realized Baylee was standing next to him, and bent down to his level.

"Hi Baylee." she said as she pulled him into a hug. "I havent seen you in so long. You've gotten so big."

Baylee shook his head, and smiled at Lori.

"I six." he said holding up his hands showing how old he was.

"Wow. You're a big boy arent you?"

She smiled and laughed when she saw him smile and shake his head full of curls. The last time she seen Baylee was when Brian and Leighanne had stopped by to visit when they were doing to Today Show for Never Gone in New York City. She was surprised he remembered her.

"Well, let's go inside." Lori said as she helped Leighanne through the door. She led her through the living room, and to the recliner.

"Is this ok?"

"Prefect. Thank you. So, sit in here with me. Tell me how you've been." Leighanne said as she admired Lori's new hair. She smiled and pointed at it. "I love it. When did the new look happen?"

"About 4 months ago. I needed a change."

"It's a nice one."

"Thank you."

As Lori and Leighanne caught up with each other, more people started to arrive. They had the occasional intteruption with people wishing Leighanne the best, and saying hello to Lori. For some, it was the first time in six years. To them all it didnt seem that long ago when she left, since she fell back into place so easily. It was like she never left. The more time started to pass, the more nervous she got. Kevin came, then Howie, and everyone knew who was left to arrive. She tried to keep her attention on Leighanne and their conversation the best she could, but all she could think about was how the hell she was going to get through this without making herself sick. Then, as her stomach lept into her throat, the door opened.

"It's about time." she heard one of the guys call from the kitchen.

She instictively turned her head toward the door, and saw him closing the door behind him. He looked the same. His hair was a little longer, but other than that...he was still the same beautiful man she fell in love with.

"Shut up! I'm here right on time thank you very much. It's 5:30." she heard Nick call back. Nick walked into the living room where Lori and Leighanne were sitting.

"What the hell do I do. Do I say something, or should I wait for him? Damn it Lori. Just chill." she told herself, while pushing some hair behind her ears nervously.

"Look at you." Nick said as he bent down to give her a hug.

"How're you feeling?" he asked as he kissed her on the cheek. He momentarily looked over where Lori was, to acknowledge that he knew she was there.

"I'm feeling good. A little anxious, but good none the less. Ready to bring this one into the world." she said smiling as she rubbed her stomach.

"Well, we're ready for her to arrive too." he said as he bent down and placed a kiss on her stomach.

Nick stood back up and placed his hands in his back pocket. This was too damn awkward. Always, coming in on the right time, Brian walked into the room. The three let out a sigh of relief that they didnt know they were holding.

"Hey buddy. How've you been?" Brian asked coming in for a hug.

"Pretty good. Just chillin." Nick said as he embraced his friend.

Leighanne looked over to Lori with a smile. She knew how awkward this must be for her, hell it was awkward for her and she wasn't even part of their relationship.

"I love you." she mouthed to Lori.

"Love you too." Lori mouthed back.

"Brian, honey?"

Brian looked down at his wife, and batted his eyes, "Yes snookums?"

Leighanne rolled her eyes with an annoyed look on her face, "Will you help me to the bathroom?"

"It would be my pleasure."

Both Nick and Lori, watched Brian and Leighanne until they were out of sight.

"How've you been?" Lori immediately pulled her head up from where it was placed on her palm. She hoped she didnt look as surprised as she was.

"Good actually. How about you?" she said as she cleared her throat.

He smiled to himself when he heard her clear her throat. She always did that when she was nervous. Well, at least he knew they were in the same boat.

"Pretty good. Just enjoying life." he said smiling at her.

She smiled back, but her eyes found their way back to the floor. It wasnt as bad as she thought it would be. It was actually kind of nice.

When they fell back into the awkward silence, Lori decided she had to leave. She had to get out the room, the silence was like a thick, thick, fog. The more you breathed, the more it felt like you were suffocating.

"I'm going to go see if AJ and Erin need my help in the kitchen. We all know how he is with a grill, I might need to releave him of his job before he ruins it all." She said as she stood up. She was almost into the hallway to go to the kitchen when she was stopped.

"Lori wait." Nick said as he grabbed her elbow, and turned her around to face him. "Um, I know things are really awkward right now between us."

Lori smiled, "Yeah. Very."

"I just wanted you to know, that I'm willing to try to maybe establish something this weekend, if you are?"

"Establish, what?"

"A friendship, I dont know something. Something that's a little better than the way things are right now. I mean, what happened just a few minutes ago, that's not us."

Lori shifted her eyes, "No, it's not. I'd like that a lot." she said smiling.

"Good. I'm glad."

She smiled up at him, "Well before we fall back into this silence thing. I'm gonna head in there." she said as she motioned toward the kitchen with her thumb.

"Alright." he said smiling, as he put his hands in his pockets, and turned to go back into the living room.
Chapter 5 by LuLu8806
Chapter Five



"What's going on?" Erin whispered as she came up next to Lori at the sink.

"What do you mean?"

"Between you and Nick?"

"Nothing." she said as she went back to the dishes she was wasing.

"You guys are actually talking to each other."

"Well, yeah. Did you expect us to ignore each other all night?"

"Well, no." Erin said crossing her arms over her chest. She leaned back against the counter. "I guess I was expecting a little drama."

Lori laughed and shook her head, "We talked, and decided to make this less awkward as possible." She put the rag down and looked over at her friend, "He wants to be friends again."

Erin smiled with delight, "Honey that's great."

"I can't just forget everything that's happened though." She said as she grabbed the rag again and started washing the last plate. "Things arent going to be like they used to be. We still have a lot to talk about."

She rinsed off a plate and sat it in the drainer. "I'm not going to push the issue though."

"Good." Erin said as she grabbed the rag and began to wipe off the counters.

"What are you two gossiping about?" Nick asked as he walked into the kitchen, and grabbed two bottles of water out of the ice box.

"If it concerned you don't you think you'd know?" Erin said smiling at him.

"Sorry, I asked." Nick said as he laughed. "Hey Lori?"

"Yeah?" Lori said as she turned in his direction.

"When you're finished here, do you think you'd like to come out with me for some coffee?"

Lori quickly glanced over at Erin, "Um, sure. Why not."

Nick smiled, "Cool. Just let me know when you're ready." He said as he walked in the hallway toward the living room.

Lori looked at Erin with a bewildered look on her face. "I definetly wasnt suspecting that."

Erin giggled, "I'm so staying up until you get home. I want details."

Lori laughed at her friend, "It's just coffee."

Erin poked Lori in her stomach, "You know somewhere in there those butterflies are itching to dance."

"They are." Lori said smiling.

"I knew it."


Lori and Erin walked into the living room once they were finished in the kitchen.

"You ready?" Nick asked

"Sure. Let me go grab my purse, and change real quick." She said motioning toward the stairs.

"Ok."

Lori began to walk up the stairs, and pulled Erin with her. "Think you could slow down?" Erin said smiling.

Once they got to the top of the stairs, they both ran into the room Lori was staying in.

"Tell me he thinks this is just coffee." Lori said as she fell back on the bed.

"It's only coffee." Erin looked her over questioningly "Unless, you want it to be something else."

"I want it to be just coffee." she said pointing at herself as she leaned up on her elbows, "He thinks it's going to be more than just coffee."

Erin laughed and sat beside her, "Girl, chill. It's fine. Dont over analyze."

"Did it look like he wanted it to be more than just coffee?"

"Lori, it looked like he just wanted coffee. He looks like he really wants to catch up. You guys were friends at one time."

"So, I'm just over analyzing?"

"Yes," Erin said smiling at her as she patted her hand, and got up to grab her purse. She walked into the closet that she was currently occupying and looked over her clothes. "And when you get home we're going to talk, watch chick flicks, and just do girly things." She finally decided on a pair of gray knit capris, and a light pink tank. She walked out of the closet, and handed Lori the items.

"Put these on." She said as Lori took the clothes out of her hand. "Here's your purse, and I'll be downstairs with the boys. Everything will be ok, I promise." Erin said as she kissed Lori on her cheek, and walked out of the room.


"Do you want to get it to go, or do you want to stay here?" Nick asked as they pulled up to the Starbucks.

"Can we get it to go?"

"Sure, you want to go to the beach?"

"Sounds nice." Lori said as she smiled and made her way out of his car.

Nick walked around to her side, and waited for her to get out.

Nick nudged her with his elbow, "We have a lot to talk about huh?"

"Do you want too?"

"Yeah."

Lori smiled up at him, they were off to a fantastic start so far.

"Here you sit here while I go get our coffee." Nick said motioning to the booth closest to the door.

"Alright, could you get me a, uh,..." She was about to tell Nick what she wanted, but Nick finished for her.

"A Verde White Choclate Mocha Frappicinio, I got ya." Nick said as he winked at her and walked to the counter.


"Damn it." Lori said as she wiped at the tears streaming down her cheeks. She tried to see through her tears to dial out on her cell phone, but it wasnt working.

Finally able to see clearly, she dialed Erin's phone number.

"Hello?" she heard AJ's voice come through the other end.

"Hey, J?" Lori said as she tried to hide the sound of her tears in her voice, "Can I, um, talk to Erin real quick?"

"Sure. Is everything ok?"

"Not really." she said as the tears began to fall.

"Hold on babe, let me get her."

She chewed on her bottom lip, as she waited the few seconds that it took Erin to pick up the phone.

"What's the matter?" Erin said in a concerned, frantic tone.

"I'm leaving." Lori said as she wiped at a stray tear rolling down her cheek, " I'm going to New York to stay with my brother."

"Why? What happened?"

"Nick and I are breaking up. I cant stay here. My flight boards in twenty minutes."

"What?! Honey, you can stay here. You dont have to go all the way to New York."

"No, no. This is NOT fixable. It's over." Lori said as she pushed her fingers through her hair, and closed her eyes.

Erin was silent for a few moments, listening to Lori cry. "Is there anything that I can do?"

"I dont know. I can't get into the details right now."

"Call me when you land?"

"Yes. I promise."

"I love you. You know that right?"

Lori smiled for the first time within the last three hours, "Yes. I love you too."

They said their good byes, and Lori put her phone back into her purse.


"Here we go." Nick said as he handed her her coffee.

"Thanks." Lori said as she got up to walk out the door.

"No problem." Nick said as he opened the door to let her out first.

"How's your family?" Nick asked as he unlocked the doors. He paused questioning whether or not he should open the door for Lori. Deciding he might be pushing it to far ahead, he walked around to his side.

"They're fine." Lori said as she got into the car. "My brother is married, and has three kids now."

"No way?" Nick said curiously. Wow, time really had flown by.

Lori smiled, she really like the subject of her family. It took the edge off of what was to come once they got to the beach.

Nick couldnt help but think that that could have been them. "Well, tell him I said hi and congratulations."

"I will. Thanks."

Nick drove out of the parking lot, and began their trek to the beach.


"Wow, it's just like I remember it." Lori said as she got out of the car. She pulled on the little jacket that she brought with her, and grabbed her coffee off the hood of the car. She waited for Nick, and they began to walk down.

They walked in silence for a few moments, and Nick decided to break it. "How's New York treating you?"

Lori smiled up at him, as the water rushed up to her ankles. "Really good. I'm a nurse at a children's hospital."

"A nurse huh?"

"Yeah. I really enjoy it." Lori said as she pushed a peice of her our of her face that the wind had blown.

"I never thought you'd ever leave Florida." Nick said smiling.

"Well sometimes you need a change." Lori said as she looked out toward the ocean. "I never thought that if I left, I would go to New York. My brother was there though, so, that's where I went."

Lori stopped as sat down on the sand facing toward the ocean. She never knew how much she missed this. New Yorks beaches couldn't compare to Florida. Maybe she was biased, but it just wasnt the same. Nick sat down beside her.

God he hoped that he could salvage whatever was left of their friendship. He missed her so much.

Lori could tell that the conversation was about to take a bumpy turn. She was willing to take it, if it meant they could be friends again. She watched Nick as he played with the sand in front of him. She could tell he was questioning whether he should say whatever he wanted to say next. She smiled and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Whatever it is you want to say, just say it."

Nick looked at her for a few moments, and turned to face her completly. "I know it's not going to fix what's in the past. I know you heard me say it so many times the night you left, and maybe I didnt mean it then, but I know I mean it now. I'm sorry."

She looked at him, and she could tell he was sincere. She grabbed his hand, "I know you are."

"When I said I wasnt ready for a big commitment, I really wasnt. Looking back I'm glad I didnt go through with taking our relationship to the next step, because it would have made things a lot worse than they are."

"Yeah, you're right."

"But I didnt mean that I didnt want to commit to you." Nick said as he pulled his hand away from hers. "God, if there was anyone in the world that I would want to commit too, it would be you. I regret everything that went wrong, because it ruined everything that we had before we got together."

Lori wrapped the jacket around her tighter, and a stray tear rolled down her cheek. She missed her best friend.

"Yeah. Even before we were together we were attatched at the hip." Lori said laughing as she wiped away the few tears that had escaped.

"Becoming a couple just gave us more reason to be attatched." Nick said as he smiled.

"Yeah, it did."

"I can understand things won't ever be the same way they were between us, but I would really like it if we became friends again."

Lori smiled, "I would really like that."

"So," Nick said as he picked up his cup of coffee, "Here's too our new beginning, and hopefully more to come."

Lori laughed, and picked her cup up too. "Here, here."
Chapter 6 by LuLu8806
Author's Notes:
Just to let you guys know, I'm going to try to have this story done before I leave to go back to Oklahoma where I live. My computer there does not work, so if I dont get it done, and there is no updates for a while, that's the reason. As soon as I get around a computer that runs correctly, and has internet access you can expect an update. Anyway...ON WITH THE STORY!
At 2:00 that morning Lori crept her way into the house. Trying hard not to wake up AJ and Erin, she silently made her way up the stairs, when the lights from the kitchen suddenly flicked on. Lori stopped on the Fifth step, and turned around. She smiled and shook her head when she saw Erin standing there in her pajamas holding up two half pints of Ben and Jerry's.

"I thought you would be in bed already." Lori said as she walked back down.

"Uh, hello? I told you I wanted details, and if it meant I had to stay up all night, I was going to do it." she said as she handed Lori her ice cream and a spoon.

"You're crazy." Lori said as she shook her head.

"You did it for me, remember?"

Lori laughed as the memory of Erin's first date with AJ came back to her. "Yeah, except this wasnt a date."

"Same thing." Erin said as she took a bite of her ice cream. "Let's take this up to your room. These stools are very uncomfortable."

Erin and Lori made their way up to Lori's room, and Erin waited paitently on her bed while she changed into her pajamas.

"So everything went ok, huh?" Erin asked. She could no longer contain herself, she had to know.

"You just can't wait can you?"Lori asked as she opened the bathroom door so she could see Erin. She grabbed a washrag, and began to wash her face.

"No, I can't."

"Yes. Everything went fine. It was just coffee, like you suspected." She said as she applied some cream to her face.

Erin could since a but coming up. "But?"

"We went to the beach."

"So, it's the beach. Woo hoo. What's so amazing about that?"

"If you would shut up, and let me finish."

"Ok, sorry."

Lori grabbed her toothbrush and applied her toothpaste, "Forgiven." she said as she stuck the tooth brush into her mouth.

"We win du da besh, and we dalked." Lori said as she brushed. Before she continued, she spit. "Let me finish here, and I'll continue."

"That would be nice." Erin said sarcastically.

A couple minutes later, Lori was cleaning her mess, and made her way to the bed beside Erin.

"Soo?"

"Oh! Well, we talked about everything. He apologized, I cried, and we decided to start over."

Erin got an excited look in her eyes, "You made up, made up?"

"No, no, not like that. We're going to be friends again. It's too soon for that." Lori said as she grabbed her ice cream and opened it for the first time.

Erin rolled her eyes. Were her and AJ the only one's that saw that Nick and Lori were meant to be? Apparently so.

"He told me about things that happened while I was gone, including the bad. We even talked about us, and it wasn't as horrible as I thought it was going to be." She said taking her third bite.

"Did he tell you that he came to New York, like ten times after you left?"

Lori paused with the spoon in her mouth, and slowly shook her head.

"Yeah, he did. Each time he got further, and further but he always turned around."

"What?"

"Yeah."

"Why the hell didnt you tell me?"

"What would it have done? Would it have made you go after him, too? It definetly wasnt going to make things any easier. You're just as stubborn as he is." Erin said as she took another bite. "Besides, it wasnt my place to tell you."

"It would have made things easier." Lori said as she shoved her spoon into the ice cream.

Erin looked over at her. Did she forget the times that she called her crying at night? "How?" she asked.

"I would have known that he didnt just forget about us, that he didn't just forget about me."

"Lori, he couldnt have forgot you if he tried. It wouldnt have made things easier because you would just go back into depressed mode. Knowing that he was there, and that he knew exactly where you were, and didnt come see you."

Lori kept quiet not wanting to admit that Erin might be right.

"You got like that when the boys were in town for recording, TV stuff, and concerts. Leighanne told me about when she and Brian went to see you."

Lori closed her eyes remembering that. She had known about them being in town for days, and the ache of not being able to see her friends was really taking its toll. She was going through the motions in her mind; should she go see them or should she not. She made herself sick, and didnt go to work. Then Leighanne and Brian showed up and it was just like they knew that she needed them. They stayed with her for the few days they were in town, and she got better. She was always on edge when she got home from work, or when she opened the door when someone knocked, that she would see Nick standing on the other end. She was always rolling it over in her mind, if she was ready to see him again.

"Yeah, that was bad." Lori said in a low tone.

"It was, and it wasnt the first time that had happened. You literally made yourself sick over the guy, and I wasnt about to fuel the fire. No, it wouldn't have helped any." Erin said as she placed her hand over Lori's. "It's ok, though. You had reason. He broke your heart bad. You felt like your friends had been taking away from you, but all the while we were here. All of us decided not to take sides, and that we'd be here for the both of you if you needed us. Whether you're with Nick or not, you'll always be part of this family. You will always have us. All of us."

Lori smiled, and pulled Erin into a hug. When they pulled away, Lori looked over at her. "He wants to go out tomorrow."

Erin smiled, "So, go. You'll have fun. What does he have in mind?"

"He wants me to go out with him and Aaron on the boat." Erin could see that something was holding her back.

"What's the matter?"

"I'll be alone with him on a boat, in the middle of the ocean."

Erin laughed, "Aaron will be there."

"That boat is big, I'm sure Aaron won't be around all the time."

"So?"

"So?"

"Yeah, what's so wrong with that?"

"I dont think I'm ready for that. If I know me, I won't be able to NOT give in." Lori said as she leaned back on to the pillows.

"Well, if you feel his intentions are more than just taking you out on the water, let him know that's not what you want."

"What if it is what I want?"

"Then roll with it."

"Roll with it?"

"Yeah. What else can you do? You dont know what you're going to do until you're in that situation."

"I guess you're right."

"I'm always right. What time is he coming to get you?"

"10 in the morning."

"Well, I guess we better go to bed." Erin said as she stood up. She leaned down and kissed Lori on the cheek.

"Everything will work out. Maybe not how you want it too, but it will." She said as she pulled the covers up to her cheek. She smiled at Lori, and began to walk toward the door.



"This one?" Lori asked as she walked out of the closet she was occupying, in a bikini.

AJ and Erin were sitting on the bed helping her decide, they were down to the last bikini that she had with her, if this didnt work she was going to have turn to Erin's. It was a black string bikini. The top tied around the neck, and the back. The bottom tied on the hips, and rested nicely there.

"I like that one." Erin said with a smile.

"It looks hot. Nicky's gonna shit." AJ said smiling.

Erin hit him in shoulder, "What? I was just being honest.Damn." he said rubbing the place where she hit him.

"You can be honest without looking like you want to eat her." she said looking at him and motioning to Lori.

"I was not looking at her like I wanted to eat her."

"Yes, you were."

"Dont tell me how I was looking at someone, I think I would know."

"I think I would know too, considering I saw you."

Lori laughed and grabbed her shorts and tank top she was going to where, and put them on in the bathroom. They were still arguing, when she heard the door bell ring.

She poked her head out the door. "Hey guys?"

"What?" they both said as their heads turned toward Lori.

"You think one of you guys could go answer the door?"

AJ got up, "Allow me. Do you mind if I go answer the door, dear? Or do you want to be there in case I look like I want to eat whoever is at the door?" he said with sarcasm dripping with every word.

"Just go answer the damn door." Erin said, glaring at him.

AJ walked out shaking his head, and mumbling.

"So come out here and let me see." Erin said smiling at Lori, who's head was still out the door.

"Just a second." Lori said as she closed the door again. She grabbed a few bobby pins and pinned some hair back, and let the rest of her hair flow around her shoulders. She grabbed the beach bag, and threw the things that she would need into the bag.

"Ooo, I like the hair." Erin studied her for a moment, "Lose the tank." Erin said.

"Why?"

"We want you to look sexy. You can still keep it for later, but not right now." she said shaking her head.

Lori pulled the tank top over her head and put it into the bag. "What about now?"

"Hot. Come on, let's go downstairs."

Erin and Lori were talking as they came down the stairs and walked into the living room. She smiled as she and Nick made eye contact with each other. She looked around for a sign of Aaron, when she didnt see him, she looked back to Nick.

"Where's Aaron?"

"He had some other things that he had to do, but he says hi and he'll see you soon."

"Dont look at her, you might get accused of wanting to eat her." AJ said glaring at his wife.

Lori looked at him, "AJ, let it go. God you're like a kid."

Nick laughed, "You ready to go?"

Lori looked at Erin, and back to Nick, "Sure." Lori walked toward Nick, and took hold of his hand, and waved to Erin and AJ.

"Have fun." Erin said smiling at her mischeviously.

Lori glared at her, "Shut up." she said through clenched teeth. Now that Aaron wasnt going to be there, there was no telling what was going to happen. She just hoped she had enough self control. It seemed that when I came to Nick, she had none.


Lori stood beside Nick looking out over the ocean letting the wind blow through her hair. Nick drove them out about an hour away from the shore, and finally stopped.

"You hungry?" Nick asked her as he pulled off his shirt.

Lori looked over at him, "Yeah a little."

"There's some stuff in the refrigerator in the bottom. You remember where everything is right?"

How could she forget? They practically lived on this boat when they were together. They had made love on every part of this boat more than once. Shaking her head to clear her mind, she smiled and looked at Nick.

"Yeah. Do you want something?" She asked as she walked toward the door.

"Sure, just bring me back a water."


"I love it out here." Lori said as she curled into Nick's chest. He rubbed her shoulder, and placed his hand in hers. They were laying on the North end of the boat watching the sunset.

"Me too. One of these days, we'll buy a house. We'll be secluded from everyone else. Just you, me, and the ocean."

"That sounds nice. What about the guys though?" she asked smiling. She rolled over on top of him, and strattled him. She rested her back against his knees that he had raised up.

"They'll find us eventually." Nick said smiling as he reached up and traced her cheekbone with his finger.

Lori smiled, leaned down, and kissed him.


"Here ya go." Lori said as she handed him a bottle of water. She took a bite of her sandwich, and sat down.

"Is this the only boat you got now?" she asked swallowing what she had in mouth, as she bit into her sandwich again.

"No, I got a few others." he said as he sat down beside her.

"A lot of memories are on this boat, huh?" she asked looked up at him.

He smiled at her, "Yeah there are."

"I go out on my sister-in-law's boat that her parents have a lot." she said as she grabbed his water and took a drink.

"You might as well be a fish." Nick said laughing. For as long as he could remember Lori had always loved the ocean, but the weird thing about her was you could hardly get her into a pool. Even if it was one hundred ten degrees outside, she wouldn't get in. Take her to the beach though, you'd have to drag her away.


They had spent the day catching up, swimming, and Lori worked on her tan. Before they knew it the sun was setting. Lori had made them dinner with whatever Nick had. Which ended up being sandwiches, and a few beers that he had in his refrigerator.

Sitting on the edge of the boat watching the sunset, Lori was beginning to doubt the self control that she had. The day had been so wonderful, and the sunset was beautiful. The fact that they were on this boat, and she really had no where to go didnt help at all. She didnt want to end the day with a fight, but she also didn't want it to end on the wrong note either.

"Just roll with it." She sighed as she remembered what Erin had said to her the night before. She jumped, as she heard Nick come up behind her.

"You ok?"

"Sorry. I was just thinking."

Nick sat beside her, and really enjoyed the comfortable silence they were in. He was happy that the awkwardness of their situation was gone. He really missed her, and he was happy to have his best friend back. He couldnt deny the fact that he missed his girlfriend though. The fact that this boat held so many memories that only the two of them knew about was just, overwhelming. Everywhere he looked he could see the two of them back when everything was right. The way it should be.

"Do you remember the first day we met?" Nick asked.

Lori laughed, "Yeah. You were playing basketball. The ball rolled down to the sidewalk, and knocked me off my bike." Lori looked up at Nick, "I was so pissed at you. I remember telling you that the net wasn't the sidewalk."

"I felt so bad." Nick said laughing.

"Don't laugh about it. I still have that scar." Lori said as she lifted up her leg, and showed him the fait scar on her knee cap.

"It's barely even noticable." Nick said.

"I can see it! That's what counts." she said hitting him in the arm. "You scarred me for life, Carter."

Nick smiled weakly, and looked down. Lori immediately winced at the words that she used.

"Nick, I'm sorry. I didnt mean.."

"Hey, dont worry about it. I knew what you meant. It's just kind of ironic."

Lori smiled sympathetically, and placed a hand on his shoulder. "We're moving forward remember? How can we do that if we're stuck in what happened six years ago." She scooted closer to him, and wrapped her arm around him. "Do you know how different we were six years ago? Twenty or not, we were still immature kids."

Nick laughed, "It's amazing how much six years can change a person." He said as he wrapped an arm around her also.

"Yeah, it is." Lori said as she looked up at him. For the first time she saw how much the last six years had changed him. Just by looking into his eyes, she could tell he was a different man. A man who had made his mistakes, and paid the price for them willingly.

Nick could see past the hurt, and toughness Lori put on for show. He could see the Lori that he knew somewhere in there. The reason for her changes, he knew were because of him. The hurt that he put her through. Looking into her eyes he could see the hurtful memories, the pain of walking away from the only life she knew. He could feel her heart breaking all over again. He vowed from that moment on he would spend the rest of his life making it up to her. If only she would let him.

"I'm sorry."

Lori looked at him confused, "For what? Nick I told you..."

"For this." he said as he pulled her closer, and kissed her.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=7901