The Codicil by scarlett
Summary:

Five brothers and one sister - all grew up with their own different lives until the only common person which linked them together provided a codicil that will give them life's lessons along the way and will bring them closer than they imagined themselves to be.

 

 

 

 

 


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: None
Genres: Alternate Universe, Drama, Humor, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 28 Completed: Yes Word count: 34816 Read: 50713 Published: 07/11/06 Updated: 11/26/08

1. PROLOGUE by scarlett

2. ONE by scarlett

3. TWO by scarlett

4. THREE by scarlett

5. FOUR by scarlett

6. FIVE by scarlett

7. SIX by scarlett

8. SEVEN by scarlett

9. EIGHT by scarlett

10. NINE by scarlett

11. TEN by scarlett

12. ELEVEN by scarlett

13. TWELVE by scarlett

14. THIRTEEN by scarlett

15. FOURTEEN by scarlett

16. FIFTEEN by scarlett

17. SIXTEEN by scarlett

18. SEVENTEEN by scarlett

19. EIGHTEEN by scarlett

20. NINETEEN by scarlett

21. TWENTY by scarlett

22. TWENTY ONE by scarlett

23. TWENTY TWO by scarlett

24. TWENTY THREE by scarlett

25. TWENTY FOUR by scarlett

26. TWENTY FIVE by scarlett

27. TWENTY SIX by scarlett

28. EPILOGUE by scarlett

PROLOGUE by scarlett

 

 

Ten-year-old Nick sat down on a chair in the dressing room, playing with his rubber ball, when his friend, Brent, walked over. “Are you ready?” Brent asked his friend who does not even felt nervous about this whole thing. While the other kids were busy and anxiously waiting for their turn in the talent show, Nick is just on a corner – acting as if he did not care about the whole thing. He joined the talent show in school but for Brent, it seems like his friend was not even willing to join here in the first place.

“Of course, I’m ready. I already got my lines memorized for the song.” Nick stood up and looked around.

Brent drew a deep breath. He got it. His friend is only doing this just to get his father’s attention. He’s always trying hard for it and Brent knew how his friend could get so devastated once he failed. “The gang’s all here,” he gave Nick an assuring smile just to ease his impending disappointment.

“Great, they always are.” Nick tried to smile. “Dad’s not going to be here again.” He bit his lower lip. “I can understand if Mom won’t be here because she’s looking after grandma who is sick but Dad…” He couldn’t hide the disappointment now. “He’s always at work.” He brushed off the hair from his face and sat back down on the chair. “This is useless. There’s no point in going onstage if my Dad’s not going to be there to watch me.”

“Don’t say that, Nick. You’re already here. Maybe if we can send the videotape to your father…” Brent tried but Nick shakes his head.

“Hi, Nick.”

Both boys turned and saw Audrey, Nick’s younger sister. “Oh, hi. What are you doing here?”

“I’m here to support my brother.” Six-year-old Audrey jumped excitedly. Brent smiled amusingly at the little girl and looked up to see a big bulk of a man stepping behind her. He recognized Jim, his friend’s bodyguard. At their young age, his friends were already entitled to a security person as they belonged to a wealthy clan. Their father is a powerful and rich media mogul. “I’m so excited when Jim allowed me to go here.”

Jim looked at Nick. “Is there any problem, young man?” He felt that he’s not only a bodyguard to these kids but he’s also their nanny. Their mother, Barbra, trusted him so much for that. And being with these kids for a long time now, he seemed to know more about them a lot – probably more than their parents did.

“I’m fine, Jim.” Nick stood up. “Wish me luck.” He shook hands with Brent and hugged both Audrey and Jim. He couldn’t do anything for his situation now. His father failed him again. He doubt if he can trust him again with another chance. He’s always away and it’s frustrating that he couldn’t do anything about it. It was as if his father never prioritized his family. It seems like he doesn’t even care about him and Audrey and Nick hates him for that. He can never understand his father.

 

 

ONE by scarlett

 

 

“Hey, Nick.” Brent called his friend when he saw the blonde one passed through the door. “Nick! Nick!” There were many other people crowding around after the graduation rites. He was fortunate to locate Nick easily among this sea of faces.

Nick heard the familiar voice and looked around. He smiled wider when he saw his best friend waving at him. He immediately walked towards him. “Hey, Brent. I’m glad that you came.” They hugged each other. “Thanks.”

“I wouldn’t miss it for anything else, attorney!”

“Not yet,” Nick laughed. They started to walk down the front steps of the building where the graduation rites were. They saw Nick’s mother, Barbra, Audrey – his sister - and their bodyguards waiting for them. “I even doubted if I’ll take the bar.”

“Oh, come on. You can do it. You did well in law school.”

Nick shakes his head. “No, this is enough.” He went to hug his mother. “Hi, Mom, Audrey.”

“Congratulations,” Audrey smiled and embraced her brother. There were flashes of lights and they turned to see some members of the media taking shots of them. They can never avoid them. They are only famous because of their rich family and its associates. They couldn’t prevent it and the paparazzi seemed to take a great interest on that. Nick couldn’t blame them if they are here in his college graduation. He had his share of publicity when he dated models and famous actresses before, aside from his usual misconduct in which many people found interesting. He never did anything but just that and he’s an instant celebrity.

They approached him in an instant for an interview. “What are your plans, Nick?” a reporter asked. “Will you pursue a career in the courts?”

“We’ll see.” Nick winked at them. Another thing that gained their interest was his ability to reply the questions without definite answers. He always keeps them guessing. He is the son of a powerful media mogul but they cannot get straight facts out from him.

“Don’t you have plans to join your father’s business? Or are you planning to be a Hollywood lawyer?”

“The plans are being outlined. Ask me again when I see you.” Nick immediately turned to get in the car when his security ushered him inside. When everything has gone, the remaining reporters just watched them go.

“Oh, fuck. He did it again.” A redhead man shakes his head and checks his camera. “So much for the son of a media mogul, he never directly answers us.”

Nick, who’s inside the car, smirked as the paparazzi was left standing on the block. They will never get something from him unless they dig deeper. He never chose to become famous anyway and they have to deal with it. “I’m not going to take bar exams.” He announced to the people inside the car. He gave them a wide smile.

“What’s the purpose of taking up law if you’re not going to be a lawyer?” Audrey asked. “You just wasted your time and money.”

“I just want to finish college, that’s all.” Nick said. He saw them looking at each other. Graduating from a prestigious law school is enough for him. He just wanted to prevent others from thinking that he’s just some rich kid who doesn’t even have an intellectual head. The truth here is that he hates his father and he had his own way to spend his money without hearing any complaint from him. His father reprimanded him enough for his scandals and bad publicities. Going to a law school has been a giant move from him. He knew he surprised everyone and he liked it. “I’m also throwing a party tonight at the club.” He added.

“Nickolas, when are you going to plan something for your future?” Barbra asked her son, shaking her head in disapproval. “Surely, your father would like it better if you start learning the business.”

“Mom, this is the future and I have my own business. It’s called my life. I don’t care about him.”

“Nick…” Barbra sighed.

“You know what, Mom? I don’t fucking care about Dad’s business, okay? I don’t want to be like him. It’s enough that I graduated. I’m in charge of my life from now on. Deal with it.” Nick looked out of the window. There was an awkward silence following that. Everyone knows how Nick hated and rebelled against his father.

“You don’t talk to your mother that way, Nick.” Brent bravely broke the silence.

“Just leave me alone.”



~~~



“Let me see, meeting tomorrow at the Fox Media Industries.” Geoffrey Carter browsed at his personal digital assistant, as the car makes its way towards Bel-air. His eyes widened when he bumped into a note in today’s schedule. “Oh my god, I did it again.” He groaned. It was Nick’s graduation from law school and he forgot about it. How could he forget it, and the other important events in the past? He’s never good at this and he couldn’t make up for it. He can be the good provider for his family but never as a good father and Nick hated him for that. He reached for his cellphone to call Barbra.

“Geoff, I’ve been trying to call you many times.” Barbra said as soon she answered her mobile.

“I’m sorry…”

“Business, it’s always the business. I don’t know how I put up with it all these years. I love you and it hurts me to see that your children hated you.” Barbra cried. “Where are you?”

“I’m going home. I just got through an important meeting.”

“You’re in the jet?”

“In the car, Barbra. Where’s Nick?” Geoffrey bit his lower lip in anxiety.

“Call him. We just arrived from the airport after the jet took us back here in LA. I don’t know where he is now after the limo dropped us off at home. He went out with Brent. His friend told me earlier that they‘d probably go to see a house that Nick wanted to buy. You see, your son saved enough of his allowances to buy himself a house. You gave him a lot of money in exchange for your absence but that’s not what he wants. He wants you.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t say that to me. Tell it to Nick. I love you, okay?” Then Barbra said goodbye and hung up. Geoffrey drew a deep breath as he speed-dial his son’s line. Nick answered after the third ring.

“What do you want?”

“I’m sorry if I wasn’t able to see you graduate today, son.”

“No big deal. I got used to it.” Nick coldly replied. “Is that all you’ve got to say? I need to hang up now, Dad. I’m driving. Thanks for the car. That’s a nice graduation present.”

“Nick, can I see you tonight?”

“I won’t be around tonight, Dad. I have a party later. Bye.” And with that, Nick ended the call. He couldn’t wait to finish the conversation with him. Geoffrey sighed as he rested his head against the headrest of his car seat and closed his eyes. He couldn’t blame his son for acting cold towards him. It’s his fault; he was never there for him or Audrey. He loves his children but he was not able to show it to them. He took his laptop and opened it. He’s going to update his online journal. No one knows that he had one. His blog contains his thoughts about his family, his love for them, his thoughts about life and love. There wasn’t anything about his work. This is the in-depth view of his personal life.


“…I know it was my fault. I love my son and I will do anything for him. I guess that it’s not enough to give him the things he wanted because it wouldn’t equal to the very thing that he wanted from me: my love and attention. I was never the good father. I was always away from home. Thinking about this now, I have decided that it is time where I should take the backseat from the business and relax. My family torn apart and I have to do something now. I’m going to focus on them now.

I’m sorry, Nick, for not being the great father that I am. I hope I can tell you one day that I love you very much. And to Audrey, I am proud to be the good daughter that you’ve become. I love you…”



Geoffrey continued on his writing and when he was finished, he hit the save button and waited for his entry to appear. While waiting, he was surprised when his driver made a sudden shift on his driving and the next thing he saw is a big truck ahead of them.

TWO by scarlett
Author's Notes:
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Nick grew up hating his father for always being away from home and not being the father he expected geoffrey to be. He graduated from a prestigious law school without any plans of really becoming a lawyer but only to use his father's money in a different kind of way. As usual, Geoffrey forgot about attending his son's important event again. While on his way home, he got into an accident.

 

 

Nick is silent all throughout the funeral as family and friends came to him with their condolences on the death of his father. No one could tell what is on his mind and what he is feeling right now. Nick felt numb. He doesn’t even know what to feel ever since he received the news that his father’s car smashed into a truck driven by a drunk driver. He was shocked. He couldn’t find the words to say. Both his father and his driver died on the spot. His mother was crying ever since, so did Audrey. Nick comforted both women but they never saw him show his own emotions.

“Nick?” Brent asked his best friend. He’s worried of Nick. He rarely spoke since what happened and it left Brent wondering what’s going on in his friend’s mind.

Nick nodded. “I’m fine, Brent.” He is thankful that his best friend is always there for him. Brent hugged him for a moment.

Atty. Kiefer excused himself to them. He discreetly tells Nick about the reading of his father's will. Nick frowned at that. “We just got through Dad’s funeral. Is there any other time, Sir?”

“It’s accordance to the will that it should be read right after his funeral.” Atty. Kiefer replied. “I’m sorry, Nick. I know that this is bad timing but you know it, I got rules to follow.”

Nick sighed and excused himself from Brent. Leaving the other relatives in the garden, he followed the family lawyer inside the house, and towards his father’s office. He saw his mother and Audrey were already there. After a few polite greetings, Atty. Kiefer started reading the will. He first mentioned about the major assets will be transferred under their mother’s name, including the transfer of Geoffrey’s bank accounts on her name. Barbra didn’t say anything. Her face still looks gloomy for the loss of her husband. The management of the family business will temporarily fall on her hands as well, to Nick’s surprise. At the back of his mind, he is expecting that he will inherit it since he is the eldest child. Maybe that’s why it’s only temporarily. His father may have a codicil stating on how he will handle those businesses.

When Atty. Kiefer turned to him and Audrey, he knew that his father had a surprise in store for them. “To my eldest son, Nickolas, he will get the majority of shares in the company, the beach houses in Malibu and in the Bahamas because I knew how much he loves the ocean, the management of the private yacht and speedboat at the coast of Seychelles and the possession of my Bentley and Lincoln. To my daughter, Audrey, she will get twenty percent of the shares in the company, the villas in Monaco and the house in London, the management of two private jets and the Ferrari.”

“That’s all?” Audrey exclaimed. “I know Dad has other properties scattered everywhere in the country and the world. And what about any money? Aren’t we going to receive any?”

Nick is only silent, wondering about it as well. He didn’t get any money. Their father is a multi-billionaire. The thought occurred to him as selfish as it may seem. Are they supposed to receive something from their father’s wealth?

“You will be receiving money of course, after you’ve done what your father has asked of you. He had special conditions stated in his will for all his children.” The lawyer replied.

“What do you mean?” Nick asked, frowning.

Atty. Kiefer cleared his throat and glanced at Barbra, who just nodded at him to continue. “Your father had children before he married your mother. Nick, you are the eldest legal child but you have four older half-brothers. Your father generously left something for them too.”

“What?” Nick looked at his mother. “Did you know this, Mom?”

“Yes, Nick. Your father had sons before we get married. I’m the one and only woman he married and never had any affairs. However, he was a ladies’ man when he was at your age.“ Barbra said. “He fathered four sons from four different women.”

“And you never told us about them?” Audrey is frowning as well. “You never introduced them to us.” Their mother didn’t say anything on that.

Nick turned to the lawyer. “What’s my father’s condition?”

“You have to meet your brothers and all of you will live together for five months under one house so that you will get to know each other.” Atty. Kiefer told them. “After that, you will see me again to hear what the other will has been stated for all of you. For the meantime, your father said here, ‘I left each of my children a million dollars as their allowance for five months until Atty. Francis Kiefer will read my second will. If you don’t follow this condition, you will receive nothing. They are going to stay in the house in France where no paparazzi can follow them.’ That’s all, Nick, Audrey.”

Nick drew a deep breath. This is ridiculous. He had four older brothers. He didn’t expect this. And his father’s will is sending them to Chateau Cordell in Paris. He was only there once. He stood up.

“Nick?” Audrey followed her brother.

“Are you coming or not?”

“Are you?”

“’I’ll fight for my right as the legal child.” Nick only answered and went out of the office.

 

 

THREE by scarlett
Author's Notes:
FROM THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER: Nick and Audrey were surprised when the lawyer read the codicil and found out that they have older siblings outside their parents' marriage. They need to live with them for five months in a house in France and after the said period of time, they will hear the second will pertaining to the rest of their father's assets.

 

 

Nick slammed the car door shut as he reached the restaurant where he’s going to meet Brent. He instantly saw him getting busy with his PDA. Sitting beside him is his girlfriend, Jill. They chose to sit at a table outside the restaurant. “Hey,” he greeted and sat opposite the two.

Jill smiled. “Did you already eat?”

“A little.” Nick adjusted his shades. He spotted a paparazzi lurking on a corner. He took a cigarette from his packet and lit it up. “I won’t buy the house yet.” He said after taking a drag on his cigarette.

“Why?” Brent looked at his friend.

“I’m going to France. I’ll be there for like five months.” Nick looked up at the waiter who approached them. He only ordered a sandwich and soda. “Father’s will, you know.”

The couple looked at each other than back to him. “Your father asked you to stay in some French villa?” Jill asked.

“Correct. Apparently, Daddy had four other sons before me and he wanted us to know each other well before the reading of the second will.” Nick drew a deep breath. They turned when a blonde woman approached their table. “Hey, Paris.”

“Hey, Nick. I just saw you and I was thinking if you’d like to go with me tomorrow night at a Bacardi Party in the Viper Room?” Paris showed her best charming smile to him.

“Oh, that’s tomorrow?” Nick paused and thought for a moment. Paris looked hopefully, as her hands were busy running along the back of the little dog in her arms. “I’m sorry but you see, my Dad just died four days ago. I can’t go with you. Thanks for the invitation.”

“Oh.” Paris’s face reddened from his rejection. “Okay. I guess, some other time then.” She said her goodbyes and immediately left.

Brent looked at Nick. “You just refused Paris Hilton, Nick. Did you realize that?”

“The quasi-heiress? Who cares? Besides, I’m richer than her.” Nick smiled at the waiter who brought his ordered food. “And, she approached me on a wrong timing. Didn’t she read the paper that I just lost my father? That’s very inconsiderate of her.” Nick rolled his eyes. He drinks his soda. “Besides, I got an early flight tomorrow to Paris, that’s a place in France.” He smirked. “I have to be there ahead of my brothers. The will said so, that I should prepare Chateau Cordell for them.”

“How did you suddenly have four brothers?” Brent leaned back on his chair and watched as Nick eats his food.

“It’s just simple. Dad’s a rich hotshot and women swarm around him. There was sex and babies but when he married Mom, he never had anyone ever since.” Nick said, as if he already perceived the idea of suddenly having strangers as his siblings. It just seemed so natural for him. “I’m actually looking forward into meeting them.”

“Did Atty. Kiefer brief you about your brothers?”

Nick nodded and took a moment to chew his food first. “Yes. I asked him to. The oldest one is turning thirty in October while the youngest one is the son of former actress Eliza McLean. I didn’t know that he’s my brother.”

“AJ?” Brent chuckled. “You just had a fight with him two weeks ago. Careful, man. He’s not yet through with you.”

“I don’t care. I’m still the legal son. I still get more among us.” He finished his food. When he’s done, he started with another stick of cigarette. “I heard that one of my brothers is getting married but rescheduled it because of this. One is a son of a famous political icon. And then there’s this one who’s a farmer. Can you believe that? My father spread his genes everywhere.” He shakes his head.

“Come on, Nick. Maybe your dad just got a lot of love in him. Didn’t you ever feel sad about losing him? I mean, you never had a nice talk –“

“Don’t start, Brent.” Nick drew a deep breath. “I don’t want to talk about it.” He takes a drag on his cigarette before he continues. “It’s sad but I guess that’s just the way life is. I’m moving on.”

Brent only shakes his head. He really couldn’t take the truth out from his friend. Nick closed his heart and it was as if he’s already incapable of emotions. It maybe his father’s fault to mold him to become the person that he is now but Brent also thinks that Nick chose to be like this to prevent himself from the feeling of pain. He chose to put walls around him to protect himself. Brent wondered how to get through that barrier. He loves his friend and he wanted Nick to be happy. His only hope is that this five-month experience with his brothers will change Nick – somehow.



~~~



Nick raised an eyebrow when he saw his sister walking inside the private jet in her pair of olive green buttoned blouse and skirt. He rolled his eyes. Audrey grew up in a strict boarding school and she got used to wearing those conservative clothes as if she’s going to office for work. He watched as she carefully sits on the chair opposite his and thoughtfully smoothed out her skirt. Then she remained seated in her chair, her hands folded in her lap.

“How do you manage that?” He asked her.

“What?”

“Being that prim and proper,” Nick replied.

“Am I?” Audrey innocently asked. Nick only nodded. “I don’t know. I guess I’m just really comfortable with this.”

“That’s because that’s what you got used to do. Those people in that boarding school stuck in your mind that wearing those boring clothes is the proper thing. Anyway, that’s okay. You looked very respectable.” Nick turned to his hand-carry bag and retrieved his medicines. He doesn’t want to offend his sister by telling her that she looked outdated with her clothes. He doesn’t know how.

“What’s that?”

“Sleeping pills.”

“Why?”

“I don’t like flying. I’d like to sleep on this flight.”

Audrey nodded. There was silence after that. They turned when Atty. Kiefer appeared inside the cabin and smiled at them. “Children, your father entrusted the will to give this to you.” He gives them a credit card each. “It has a credit limit of a million dollars as your allowance for five months. Have a nice trip and I’ll see you after five months.”

“Wait. This is the million he’s talking about?” Nick frowned. He thought the money would be in his bank account. What were his father’s plans then?

“Yes, Nick.” Atty. Kiefer turned to Audrey. “It’ll be nice if you spare a time for shopping your clothes there, Audrey. You will live in Paris for five months. I hope that it’d somehow help your preference in clothing. You’re a pretty lady and you’ll look better with the clothes that are more fashionable.” He winked and then left.

Audrey turned to her brother. “What is he talking about?”

“He just read my mind.” Nick only replied and stood up.

 

 

FOUR by scarlett

 

 

He drew a deep breath as he stepped through the airport immigrations. He thoughtfully puts his passport back in his bag. Charles de Gaulle Airport is always a busy airport no matter what time of the year is. The people were of mixed races and it was as if he’s Superman with the super hearing. He’s been hearing many languages in which most are foreign to him. Grabbing his luggage from the conveyor, he started towards the main arrival area. He wanted to eat first before going to his destination. He spotted a posh restaurant inside the airport and went in. It is self-service. After placing his orders, he gives out a credit card to pay for his food.

With a grin, he finished everything in the counter and went to a nearby table to eat. He smiled at the thought that he used his father’s card for the first time. One million dollars credit limit, not bad. Maybe he’ll go shopping one of these days. He’ll take that half-sister of his with him. What’s her name again? Audrey. He smiled at the thought. He never had any sibling and although he didn’t like Nick, he wanted to get close with the only girl among them.

It’s been almost a week since his biological father died and it has been a shock for him and his mother that a lawyer came to their house and told him about his father’s codicil. He didn’t expect that a wealthy man such as Geoffrey Carter would remember that he had another son – and that he left something for him for that matter. A million dollar allowance for five months is enough but that’s just an allowance. This is Geoffrey Carter – the successful media mogul and shipping magnate. He’s a multi-billionaire and he couldn’t imagine what he will get as part of his inheritance. He shakes his head at that thought. He doesn’t want to think about it. The man is dead and he should respect him rather than thinking of what he will get from this. He isn’t as coldhearted as that of Geoffrey’s legal son, Nick.

Now, thinking of that man, his blood began to boil. He doesn’t like Nick. In fact, he hated him. He doesn’t like the way Nick paraded himself as some rich kid whose favorite past time is to spend a lot of his father’s money. He’s always around every hot party in town, have been with different kinds of women and featured in the headlines for misconduct against the authorities. He’s not jealous of that. He had his share of being in that phase but not as much as Nick did. Nick is notorious in what he does and seemed to take pride on it. Well, secretly knowing that he is Nick’s half-brother does not make him prouder at that.

And then he remembered laughing aloud when he read in the papers that Nick decided to pursue a law degree in Harvard. That was very original of Nick and he didn’t see it coming. But Nick surprised everyone when he proved himself more than as the rich, blonde and spoiled brat of Bel-air. He graduated last week with recognition from the prestigious law school. Everyone within the society and business circle had to say something about Geoffrey’s son.

He finished his food and glanced at his watch. There’s no definite time to arrive at Chateau Cordell. The lawyer only advised to be there today. He decided to go through this five-month codicil of his father out of respect for the dead. Otherwise, he won’t be here at all plainly because of Nick. After the night brawl with the younger guy two weeks ago, he doesn’t want to see him again. But fate brought him back within Nick’s radius and he wondered why. He doesn’t need his father’s money, if Nick will think he is. His own mother had enough for him, aside from a business he’s having right now.

As AJ hailed a taxi outside the airport arrival area, he wondered if he could stay here in five months with five strangers. Maybe, maybe not. It remains to be seen. His only wish is for Nick to leave him alone.

 

 

FIVE by scarlett

 

 

 

He wondered if this is the right thing to do. His mother told him about his biological father but he never considered him as part of his life. For him, Geoffrey Carter was the famous rich businessman he can only see in the newspapers and business magazines – but never as his father. He had a peaceful life until a lawyer visited him in school and laid out his father’s codicil.

He found it ridiculous. He should live for five months with his five other siblings and after that, he will receive his inheritance. Of course, he needs money but an immensely amount of inheritance from a father he never knew is like asking too much. He grew up accustomed to the simplicity of life. He is scared of what this wealth can bring to him and his family.

Thinking about his family, he remembered his fiancée. They were about to get married but they were forced to reschedule it because of what happened. His girlfriend urged him to go because she knew he needs money to pay for his mother’s hospital bills. He is a high school PE teacher and his salary is not enough to clear the debts. He’s thankful that his girlfriend understands him. Thinking about her now, he realized how he misses her already.

As he looked out at the sights before him, he recalled about what Atty. Kiefer told him about his brothers and sister. There’s the farmer, a businessman, son of a famous actress, the girl from the boarding school and Nick. Everyone knows who Nick is. He had students who have a crush on his half-brother as if he’s the nicest guy on earth when he’s full of mischief up on his sleeve. He couldn’t blame it if Nick is uh, good-looking but he doesn’t think that he can set a good example to anyone who got a crush on him. It doesn’t matter if he graduated with honors at Harvard. He’s still the most stupid guy for Brian. He’s hoping that things won’t be hard for him for five months. He needs to get through this and go back home.

With a sigh, Brian looked at the window of the cab when the driver announced that they reached Chateau Cordell. It was like a miniature of Palace Versailles. He whistled in awe at the magnificence of it. Geoffrey Carter is – no wonder – a multi-billionaire.

“Are you going to stay there?” the driver asked in hard English. “Monsieur?”

Brian turned to the driver and paid him. “Uh, yeah, but the place is not mine. I was just invited. Merci.” The driver nodded and smiled as Brian went out of the car and gathered his things. He knew that passing through those gates is like entering a new chapter in his life.



~~~



“Hey.”

He turned around when he heard the greeting thrown his way. He smiled at the flight attendant he recently acquainted with during the long flight to Paris. The smile turned into a naughty grin when he remembered what happened last night at the plane’s lavatory. He was not the adventurous type but the woman made it hard for him to resist her. He had the quickest quickie – if there’s such a word in the dictionary to describe what happened.

“Where will you be staying?” the blonde flight attendant asked him. She even playfully touched his short curly hair.

“Chateau Cordell. Did you know where it is?”

“Oh, you are not just a naughty boy but a special one. I was born here. I know where it is. That’s a very big estate.” Their lips met in one heated kiss. “Are you a Latin prince?” She giggled.

“No.” He kissed her again. “Listen, I have to go. If you’re taking me there, fine. I need to go now.”

“Unfortunately, I can’t go with you.” The uniformed woman glanced at her colleagues who were now on their way out of the arrival area. “I need to prepare for a flight later after five hours. It’s been nice meeting you. The sex was amazing.” She winked at him, kissed him once again and then left.

He drew a deep breath as he watched her go. Yes, the sex was indeed amazing. That woman knows what to give. He shakes his head. He had to clear his mind now. In a few hours, he will meet his brothers and he will start his five-month torment with them today. If it were not only for the money, he wouldn’t be here in the first place. He doesn’t care if his father was one of the richest men in the world. He is happy with his own peaceful life until that day when a lawyer personally came knocking on the front door of his apartment in San Juan, Puerto Rico and told him about Geoffrey Carter’s codicil. He needed money to start a business he’s been planning about and this is the easiest way to do it. Five months aren’t that long. It will be over before they will even know it.

Howie picked up his luggage. He already solved his problem with money and he began to think about the other people he will be living with for five months. He’s going to live with four other brothers and a sister. He doesn’t know what to expect from them – except for Nick. He didn’t have a hard time researching about him on the internet. His half-brother had enough publicity to put in a book and publish it. It’d probably bring him millions, more than what he probably already had. It was like an obligation for Nick to be in the news per week. The latest one was when he graduated with flying colors in Harvard. It surprised Howie. The spoiled brat got something in his head other than partying and drinking hard.

As Howie hailed a cab outside the airport, he wished that he wouldn’t have a hard time dealing with the famous brat. All he wanted is peace and his inheritance.

 

 

SIX by scarlett

 

 

 

Nick ordered the maid to leave after announcing that AJ already arrived. ‘The nightmare has begun,’ he thought idly. He didn’t move from the lounge chair where he is and soaked himself under the sun. He already instructed the butler to bring the newcomers to their own rooms. He doesn’t have to be there to welcome them.

“I was expecting a warm welcome and I’m disappointed when you weren’t there at the front door,” AJ started.

Nick frowned and opened his eyes. He saw AJ standing at the edge of the pool and marveling the beautiful sight ahead of them. Beyond them is a vast spread of land in which a part of it has fruit-bearing trees such as apples, pears, apricots, plums and olives. “You’re early.” He only said.

“Atty. Kiefer told everyone that today marks the start of five-month torture of living with you.” AJ replied.

“The same thing goes here.” Nick said and stood up. “I don’t know what Dad’s plans were.”

“Maybe he wanted to punish you and we’re here to be his instruments to turn you from being the bad boy into a saint.” AJ sarcastically said. He started lighting his cigarette. “Where’s Audrey?”

“She’s in her room.” Nick watched as AJ turned to leave. “Why?”

“I’m taking her out for shopping. You’re not telling her what looks better on her. She looks like an old maid.” Can anyone blame him if he’s only concerned with his half-sister?

Nick laughed. “You sound like a woman, AJ. Are you gay?”

“Fuck you, Nick.” AJ yelled from the door before going back inside the big house.



~~~



AJ was about to look for the butler to ask where is Audrey’s room when he already saw her walking down the grand staircase in her usual get-up: a pair of buttoned blouse and skirt that reminds him of his mother’s lawyer. “Hi, Audrey. I’m AJ.”

Audrey smiled shyly and shook hands with him. “Uh, hi, brother.” They stood awkwardly against each other. She doesn’t know what to expect from her other brothers. Apparently, this one is trying to extend friendship with her. She appreciates that. She doesn’t need hostility or whatever. She wanted to have a good relationship with her other brothers. “How are you? Have you already seen Nick?”

AJ nodded. “Actually, I told him that I’m taking you out for shopping. We have Daddy’s one million dollars. What’s the better way to spend it than shopping for clothes? Come on.”

“Uh…” Audrey shyly bit her lower lip. But AJ pulled her hand and they walked towards the front door. They stopped when the butler opened it and revealed a blonde man and another man with exotic features. Obviously, their other brothers have arrived. Only one brother left.

“Oh, hi. I’m AJ and this is Audrey, our sister.” AJ immediately greeted to ease the tension. He extended his hand and the newcomers immediately shook it. Audrey did the same. “Welcome to Chateau Cordell, the true home of who wants to be a billionaire.” Audrey couldn’t help but chuckle at AJ’s joke.

“I’m Brian,” the blonde one said. “I’m from Kentucky and uh, I guess the third eldest among us.”

The other man nodded. “Yes, because I’m the second eldest. Atty. Kiefer briefed me about my siblings. Hi, I’m Howie.”

“Oh, the guests are here.”

They turned and saw Nick at the hall. AJ rolled his eyes. “They’re not guests, Nick. They are your brothers. Do you remember? Or do I have to bang your head against the wall to make you remember?”

“There’s no need to be morbid, AJ.” Nick crossed his arms across his chest as he looked at Brian and Howie. “I’m Nick.”

The two just looked at him. “We can see that,” Howie replied. He turned to the butler. “Where’s my room? I’m tired.” Brian seconded it. They never gave Nick a second look as the butler led the way towards their rooms upstairs.

“Nick was snubbed,” AJ teased and took Audrey out. Nick was alone at the foyer, having a deep frown across his face. He won’t let this happen. No one has the right to snub him. These people should know that he is the legal son and they’re just lucky for having a generous father such as Geoffrey Carter.

SEVEN by scarlett

 

 

‘This is ridiculous,’ Nick muttered as he makes his way towards the main dining area. He heard AJ’s excited voice talking animatedly with the others. And then he heard Audrey’s laugh. He frowned. What are they talking about? He felt jealous when he realized that Audrey is already getting along well with them. He entered the dining room and everyone turned to him. He mentally counted them and found out that there’s still one brother missing, the oldest one – the farmer. He smirked and shook his head. Kevin must have decided to walk from his farm to the airport to cause such delay.

“Where’s the other one?” He asked them.

“Should we know?” AJ raised an eyebrow. “He must have had problems with his flight.” Nick ignored AJ and went to sit at the head of the table. “Stop it right there, Nick. Kevin will own that seat from now on.” AJ said, referring to their oldest brother who hasn’t arrived yet.

“I’m the legal son. I should be the one sitting here.”

“We know, but Kevin is the eldest. He should be the only one to sit there.” Howie retorted. Everyone is looking at Nick now, whose face reddened with embarrassment. AJ smirked. He is beginning to like this.

“You can sit beside me instead,” Brian offered. There’s a table setting beside him, far from where Nick wanted to sit. He said it just to end the issue.

“Maybe we can take turns in sitting at the head of the table.” Audrey said, trying to rescue her brother.

“Oh, please, Audrey. This is not a big deal. This is just a seating arrangement. In respect to the eldest one among us, it’s just proper to let Kevin get that position and not Nick.” AJ rolled his eyes.

“Fine.” Nick stood up from the seat and walked out of the dining room. There was an awkward silence after that. Audrey bit her lower lip and stood up to follow her brother. She saw him down the hall. “Nick! Wait up.”

“Leave me alone, Audrey. I don’t want to eat anymore. Tell those bastards to have a nice time eating. It may be their last.” Nick said. His back turned to her as he continued walking. “Fuck them.”

Audrey sighed. “Did you know why they’re doing this to you? Because you’re very arrogant and self-centered. You felt that you’re the most important person in this house. News flash, Nick. You’re not just the only son. Dad had other sons where he can be prouder than having you. And I’m glad that I have them as brothers. They were very nice people. If you’ll just take on humility, you will realize and appreciate how blessed are we for having this opportunity to spend some time with them.”

“Whatever,” Nick only replied and continued on his way. Audrey watched him go before returning to the dining room where her other brothers already started having a conversation.



~~~



Nick found a cozy restaurant where he planned to chill out and ease away his irritation from what’s been going on back home. He hated it when he doesn’t get the upper hand in the situation. He always wanted to be at the lead of the game, the one who gets the most attention.

He found an empty small table and quickly settled himself on it. A waiter came to take his order. Nick scrambled his words in French to tell what he wanted. Soon after, the waiter left. Nick drew out a deep breath and looked around. He’s outside the restaurant where he can see people going to and fro the street and few cars passing by. He lit up a cigarette and began smoking.

He continued looking around until his gaze fell to a woman of whom is busy writing something on a small spring notebook. He looked at her from head to feet. She had curly brown hair tied in a ponytail. He can see light freckles on her face as her head turned up and met his look. They stared at each other for a while until the woman was the first to turn away to get back on her writing. She’s not that pretty in comparison to the women he dated. But she’s attractive in a way he couldn’t describe. She got his attention without even trying and it surprised Nick that he couldn’t even stand up and walk over to her. Shyness took over immediately and he wondered where it came from.

The woman seemed busy as she tried to eat and write at the same time. Her mobile phone rang and answered it immediately. She spoke in perfect English and Nick knew that she’s not French.

The waiter arrived with his order and he began eating his food while casually taking quick glances at the mysterious woman. What could be her name? What is she doing? Does she have a boyfriend? Thoughts filled his mind about her. And it’s odd that he doesn’t have the courage to introduce himself to her. What is he going to say? ‘Hi, I’m Nick. What’s yours?’

Nick shakes his head. That’s lame. ‘Hi, I’m Nick. I’d like to know you.’ Nick shakes his head again as he swallowed his food.

‘Hi, I’m Nick. I was on the other table and happened to see you. I’d like to be your friend.’

‘Hi, I’m Nick. I saw you from the other table and was wondering what your name is.’

Aargh. What’s happening to him? He looked at the woman and found her smiling, probably to someone she’s talking with on the other line. She turned on his way and she smiled wider. Nick smiled back. Maybe, that’s a start. He stayed for another half an hour, even after he finished with his food and the waiter took it away and cleared his table. The woman resumed to writing something on her notebook. Another more fifteen minutes and she finally stood up to leave. But unlike what Nick would usually do, he only watched her walk away instead of following her.

Then and there, he realized that she’s no ordinary woman. He just couldn’t easily flirt with her and seduce her to sleep with him tonight. He felt that she’s just not that type of woman.
EIGHT by scarlett

 

 

 

“Did the other one already arrive?” Howie asked Brian, AJ and Audrey as they walked towards the fruit grove. They brought along a big basket in case they saw some fruits that are ready for harvest.

“Not yet. I wonder what happened to him.” Brian said as he helped Audrey stepped over a small ditch. “Where’s Nick?” They glanced at Audrey.

Audrey shrugged. “Should I know? I hate his stubbornness. He’s a big spoiled kid.”

“Why is he like that? I mean,” Howie continued on his walk, “I always see him in the news. He’s always getting into trouble with the authorities like that driving incident once. I’m surprised that he wasn’t in jail for a long time.”

Audrey rolled her eyes. “It’s called the power of money and influence, Howie. Nick can have that when he wants to. He’s very arrogant when it comes to that.” She sighed. “And it’s rebellion. We grew up not having Dad most of the time. There’s nothing different with you, growing up without your father. We almost have the same experience. Dad’s away most of the time. Nick doesn’t like that especially when he’s at school. He’s a smart guy, actually. He’s always given a special recognition at the end of the school year but our Dad was never there to walk with him on the stage. That’s when he decided to get Dad’s attention in a different way.” Audrey replied.

“That’s not the right way.” Brian shakes his head. “Drinking and driving, going around with different kinds of girls, disrespect to the police authorities…it’s not the solution, Audrey.”

“Tell that to Nick.” AJ said. “By the way, have you ever wondered why did our father wanted us to live together for five months here in France?”

Nobody answered. AJ sighed. He followed them when they spotted an apple tree with lots of red fruits on it. Audrey was excited to see it that she immediately asked Howie to climb up the tree and get her some. He smiled. He grew fond of the young woman and he was glad when he took her out to shopping yesterday. It seems like the woman never had the time to do that back in LA. He’ll take note of that. He’ll tell the others how to make Audrey feel normal and not to live like some rich kid who’s used to ordering people around. She should know how to live a life independently, unlike her older brother.

“Have you been to Puerto Rico, Audrey?” Howie asked from up the tree. AJ sat down on the ground and watched them. Brian turned to him as Audrey talked with Howie.

“Aren’t you going to help us out?” Brian asked.

AJ shakes his head. “The last time I climbed up the tree, I fell from it. I’m still trying to recover from the trauma,” he joked. The truth is he’s just taking the moment to enjoy this time with his siblings. He wondered before on how it feels like to have one sibling. Now that he had four brothers and one sister, he felt he belonged to a family. He liked it.

“You’re really weird, AJ. Did you know that?” Brian grinned.

“I was told about it many times.” AJ smiled. They turned when Howie yelled from the tree, asking Brian to prepare the basket as he is going to drop the apples he took. Audrey is jumping excitedly. ‘Dad, I hope your plan turns out well, whatever it is.’ AJ thought as Brian followed Howie up the tree, slipping off his sandals on the side. AJ stood up to help Audrey with the apples she failed to catch and fell to the ground instead.



~~~



Nick placed his cigarette on the ashtray as he watched his siblings came back from the grove, laughing aloud and joking around. He is really jealous. He wanted to join them but pride came first. He doesn’t know how to approach them without making them laugh at him.

“Now, I wonder what we are going to do with all of these.” Brian said as he and Howie sets down the basket full of different kinds of fruits.

“Let’s have a fruit party.” Audrey suggested excitedly. She looks like a kid taken inside a candy store for the first time.

Nick smirked. Audrey can be really a kid sometimes. AJ rolled his eyes. “That’s just corny, Audrey. Your idea is solely reserve for the girls in boarding school. You’re in Paris with your brothers and we don’t do a fruit party dressed up in our pajamas and hair done in pigtails.”

“Oh, okay.” Audrey shrugged and flipped back her brown hair. She only smiled shyly.

“You can make a fruit salad or some pies.” Nick suggested. The four turned to where he is sitting, on a lounge chair beside the swimming pool.

“Are we asking for your opinion?” AJ sarcastically retorted.

“Hey, AJ. Why do you always do that?” Brian said. He glared at the younger one and then turned to Nick. “We can consider that, Nick. Would you like to help us?’

“I can make pies.” Nick casually said, standing up from the chair. He received doubtful looks in return. “What do you think of me? I can do that. I know how. Would you believe it when I tell you that I learned it from Harvard?” He laughed at himself. He had a friend in law school who taught him how to cook when he’s trying to get some girl on a date and wanted to impress her. He had some effort on that but in the end, his mission failed. The girl doesn’t like him in return.

“Oh, okay. Whatever you say, kid.” Howie said as he and Brian picked up the basket once again and takes it inside. “Follow us and let’s see what you can do.” He added. Nick stuck out his tongue to AJ when the two men went ahead. AJ did the same. ‘Oh, dear.’ Audrey thought and just shook her head as she watched the two. She pushed them inside the house.

NINE by scarlett

 

 

“Yeah, dumbass. You better continue mixing it or else, the pie wouldn’t be done right.” Nick retorted as AJ whined.

“Remember that I’m only doing this for the sake of solidarity and in memory of our father,” AJ said through gritted teeth. The mixer broke down earlier and it was his fault. They didn’t know what he did to mess up with the mixer and broke it down. And so, the brothers agreed to let him mix the dough while Nick instructed others on how to prepare the other ingredients for the apple pie.

“Yeah, right. Whatever,” Nick smirked. He’s actually glad that they let him help them in making something out of the fruits they took from the grove. He felt belonged. But he won’t let them know that fact. He has an image to protect, so to say. Howie came from the kitchen stockroom with another two boxes of flour and AJ groaned upon seeing that.

“Hey, it wasn’t my fault that you broke the mixer.” Howie chuckled. He placed the boxes on top of the working area. He opened the first box and he must have pulled the plastic container all the way that he messed up the flour all over the place. “Oops.”

Brian eyes widened. He had never seen such a messy kitchen and it was an effortless result from all of them. “That’s just nasty, Howie!” He gave out a mischievous grin as he grabbed a handful of flour in his hands and tossed a few to Howie and AJ. Nick saw what Brian did. His jaws dropped at what his brothers have done. They began messing around with his work. He turned when Audrey threw a handful of flour on him.

“Oh, this is war!” Nick laughed as he retaliated. Audrey screamed as her brothers showered her with flour. Soon enough, the kitchen is a mess, with the flour all over the place. They already forgot about the pie they’re making. Everyone was laughing so hard.

“What is going on here?”

Audrey answered the question with a handful of flour thrown to the newcomer and later realized what she’s done. Everyone stopped and turned to the tall man. Audrey gasped as she looked up at him and tried to stop herself from giggling. The man’s thick eyebrows are now covered with flour.

“You must be Kevin.” Howie was the first one who spoke. He tried to offer his hand for a handshake but stopped when he realized that he’s full of flour. He shakes his head.

Brian bit his lower lip. So, this is Kevin, their eldest brother. “I’ll race you to the pool!” He said instead and ran out of the kitchen through the back door. Audrey and AJ followed behind, leaving Howie and Nick with Kevin.

“Sorry about the mess. We’re just making pies.” Howie tried to smile.

Kevin nodded, dusting the flour off of him. “It’s alright. I see that you’ve bonded while I’m not here. By the way, I’m Kevin.” He shook hands with them.

“Howie.”

“Bonded? Not really. I’m Nick.”

The eldest man turned to Nick. “Finally, I met you. Dad’s famous son. I only read you in the papers.”

Nick face reddened. “Yeah, that was me.” He sighed as he looked around.

“The place was a mess,” Howie said. Nick realized that being the one nearest Kevin’s age, Howie can adjust easily with their eldest brother. “We’re sorry about what Audrey did to you. That’s our sister. The other two who ran away were Brian and AJ. Brian is the blonde one and AJ is the tattooed guy.” Howie added.

Kevin only nodded.

Howie turned to Nick. “Does he have a room, Nick?” The youngest only nodded. He brushed off the flour from his clothes then went out, calling the butler. Howie smiled to Kevin. “Uh, that’s Nick, the famous son. Follow us.” He went ahead of Kevin out of the kitchen.



~~~



Kevin watched his brothers and sister eat. He felt awkward as they appointed him to sit at the head of the table, particularly by AJ. That young one got so much energy in his body and he talks a lot. Kevin noticed him being so fond of Audrey. He watched as AJ played his role being the big brother to Audrey very well and he was amused.

He turned to where Nick is sitting, exchanging sarcastic remarks with AJ. He saw their youngest brother frowned when he took his seat. If Nick got a problem with the dining position, Kevin doesn’t care. It’s just too childish to argue about it. He didn’t come here to fight with his brothers. He actually had second thoughts on coming here that’s why he came a day later. He didn’t see any point on spending five months with these five strangers and ‘bond’ with them – as the lawyer carefully put it that way. He felt that he’s in some reality show where they are here for their father’s inheritance. He hated this. But circumstances called for him to go here and live in this big house for five months. He needed money to save his farm. He needed money to pay land tax, among other things. He talked with the bank before he left home and requested to wait for him for five months, giving them the guarantee that he’ll pay the bank in full by then.

He frowned as he looked at Nick. He didn’t like the way this young man spends his money. He didn’t know how important it was to other people while he, on the other hand, spends a lot like there’s no tomorrow. Nick should learn some lessons in life. If their father didn’t teach him how, Kevin will make it his mission for five months to teach his brother a lesson.

There was silence in the dining room after Howie called for AJ and Nick to stop their bickering. Kevin saw the silent exchange of glares from the younger two and glanced at Howie. The second eldest continued eating. This one has an angelic face but Kevin knew better than to trust Howie. He can feel the mystery surrounding the man and he felt he couldn’t trust him easily. Howie is the silent-but-dangerous type.

“Why are you late?” Brian asked him, interrupting his thoughts. He raised an eyebrow. He didn’t know why he felt he likes this man.

“I walked.” It was his only reply. He couldn’t tell them the reason.

Nick laughed. “I knew it. The farmer took a walk.” Kevin silently glared at the blonde guy beside Brian.

“Oh, would you please act mature sometimes?” AJ snapped. “You’re so arrogant.”

“I’m not,” Nick laughed. “Anyway, what should we expect from a country guy like Kevin?” he chuckled. He glanced at their eldest brother.

“Nick…” Audrey warned her brother when she saw the dark look from Kevin.

“It’s okay. He’s right. I’m a country guy.” Kevin said. He intended only to smile at Audrey. “It’s my first time in an airplane too.” He received weird looks from them, except Brian. “Yes, lucky you. I’m must be the first person you met telling you about my first plane ride.”

“It’s alright. It’s my first time to see the ocean although never those close. I saw it from my view on the airplane.” Brian seconded. Others were just silent. Kevin finished his meal. He couldn’t take it any longer to be in the same room with them. Everyone turned when he pushed his chair back and without a word, left the dining room.

“Is it really your first time to see the ocean?” Nick asked Brian.

“No.” Brian glared at him then continued eating. Oh, this kid is so arrogant. Brian hates the way he treated Kevin and looked down on him just because he’s a farmer.

TEN by scarlett

 

 

Kevin stood by and watched from the glass door as Audrey made her tenth lap. That girl is incredible. She can swim back and forth and only stopping for a while before continuing again. He shakes his head as he walks out of the door. Audrey is already out from the pool and drying herself off.

“Hi, Kevin.”

“Did you also learn in boarding school how to swim like that?” He asks as he sits on one of the lounge chairs. Audrey wore her robe and followed him.

“I’m in the varsity team.” Audrey replied sweetly. Kevin noticed the innocence and simplicity in this girl that it aroused his sense of protectiveness as her big brother. She’s very lucky to grow up having the privileges that a normal young woman would have and having five brothers of whom he is sure will be taking care of her. “Are you really a farmer, just like what Atty. Kiefer said?”

Kevin smiled and nodded. “Do I really look like one?” When Audrey shook her head, he sighed. “Yes, I am. I’m taking care of the land that my grandfather left. Mom was long gone and there’s no one to take care of it but me. It wasn’t that big, that land, but it was able to produce root crops and vegetables that I sell to the market.”

“Is it enough to pay the taxes?”

Kevin paused and looked at Audrey. “I’m struggling to maintain my ownership.”

“It’s just right that you came here, Kevin. I was actually scared to meet my other brothers but all of you seemed very nice to me. I began to feel having an extended family aside from Nick and Mom.”

Kevin drew a deep breath. Quietly, he asked. “How are you coping up, Audrey?”

The question surprised Audrey because no one asked her about it since her father died. She bit her lower lip and looked up to Kevin. Tears began to well up. “Uh, I missed him. I may not see him much, he may not be the best father and I may have hated him for that, but I’d always love him.” She looked down on her lap as Kevin brushed his hand on her back. “I wasn’t able to tell him that I love him so much. It was my regret that I wasn’t able to get a short moment to talk to him and tell him that.”

“Audrey…” Kevin pulled his sister in an embrace as Audrey began crying. They’ve been like that for a while until Audrey was through pouring out the emotions inside. Kevin guessed that Nick felt the same too but he’s just too scared to show it.

They turned when they heard noises inside the house. ‘For such a big house, they can clearly hear the echoes of people shouting inside’, Kevin thought. A maid came out and told them that Howie, AJ and Nick were fighting. The two immediately stood up and ran in to see what’s going on. They found the three shouting at each other while Brian was just standing at the foot of the grand staircase and watching them. He even seemed amused by what’s happening.

“What’s going on?” Kevin asked Brian.

“They’re fighting over the use of the car.” Brian smirked, shaking his head. “Being the older one, Howie couldn’t just give in to the younger two.”

“No. I’m going to use it. I need to go to my friend.” AJ said. He’s the one holding the car keys and moved away when Nick tried to reach it. “Don’t use your excuse on me, Nick. It won’t work.”

“I need to see my friend too and I need that car.” Howie insisted, pulling on AJ’s shirt as he tried to reach for the keys himself.

Kevin rolled his eyes. Are they this immature? He turned to Audrey. “Is there any other car?”

“There’s only one. Atty. Kiefer pulled out the rest of the cars and kept it somewhere in the city. It must be part of the will.” Audrey replied.

Kevin sighed. He saw Nick stomped and pushed AJ, shouting at him that he wants the key. “Give me the key! I want it now! I want it now!” Nick pushed AJ once again. Whoa, the brat is starting to show his tantrums. AJ retaliated as he raised his fist and tried to hit Nick on the face but Howie stopped him before he could. Howie got the keys and ran outside. The other two followed. Kevin followed too and reached Howie before the younger ones could and grabbed the keys from him.

“What the –? “ Howie turned around. AJ and Nick stopped when they saw Kevin.

“No one’s going to use the car.” Kevin announced. He puts the key in his pocket.

“Just who the hell do you think you are to say that?” Nick yelled at him, frowning furiously.

“I’m your eldest brother.” Kevin said. He saw Audrey coming towards them and he decided to give the key to her. “Audrey is going to hold the key and you’re going to make a schedule with her on when you are going to use the car.”

“Oh, shut up, farmer.” Nick said and asked the key from Audrey. He went to his sister but the other one only went behind Kevin, which makes Nick stand face to face with the man.

“What did you just say?” Kevin frowned.

“Shut up, farmer!” Nick pushed him hard. But he was more surprised when Kevin’s fist landed on his face. He fell hard on the ground. Audrey wrapped her arms around Kevin to stop him from hurting Nick. “Fuck, you don’t have the right to do that.” Nick exclaimed, wiping the blood off the corner of his mouth. He struggled to stand up and charged towards Kevin. The eldest one pulled away from Audrey and hit their youngest brother straight on the face. Nick fell down again. He kicked Kevin on his leg and he received a kick on his stomach. AJ smirked and enjoyed himself in watching the fight.

“Damn, Howie! Don’t stop them!” AJ yelled when the elder man came between their brothers.

“Fuck! If you’ll kill each other, don’t do it here!” Howie pushed Nick away. Brian and Audrey were just too shocked to even move or say something.

“You don’t have the right to do this!” Nick cursed and glared at Kevin.

“I’m your brother and I can do what I have to do. Respect, Nick. That’s all I ask.” Kevin looked at the others and is silently glad when he saw them stepping backwards from him. They should know better than to provoke his temper. He turned to Audrey. “Go and get dressed, Audrey. Let’s leave these assholes.”



~~~



Kevin looked through the windows of the car as Audrey drives it. His license is not for driving abroad and lets Audrey sit behind the wheel instead. He has no problem on letting his sister drive it. He heard her laughed. “We’ve got a million dollars on our account and you only wanted to eat in McDonalds?”

‘Yeah, I wished they allowed paying some of it to the bank,’ Kevin thought. But the card given to them didn’t permit them to withdraw money except when the transactions will be made in France. He really had to go through these five months of torment with his brothers to get his inheritance. “You can’t blame me. Don’t get me wrong. I already have eaten in McDonalds but I haven’t had any time going out and I’d like to experience eating at McDonald’s in Paris.” Kevin chuckled. As soon as his sister got dressed, he told Howie, AJ and Nick that they will drop them off in town and they can go to wherever they intend to go. But they refused. “After eating our lunch in McDonalds, you have to tour me around the city.” He added.

Audrey glanced at him. “You know, I really like you as my brother and I like what you did earlier to the other guys. That ought to keep them quiet and civil for a while, especially Nick.”

“Those three were a bunch of brats. Howie was the son of some Puerto Rican political icon, AJ is the son of a former Hollywood actress and well, Nick. We all knew Nick. I expected that attitude from them.” Kevin sighed. “And they are all here for our father’s money. So am I.”

“But maybe, do you think that there’s a hidden agenda behind all of these? I mean, Dad wasn’t the best father but he’s a schemer, you know. I knew him too well to think that he had something in store for us.”

“Whatever it is, Audrey, we’ll just have to wait and see.” Kevin finalized then went out of the car as soon as Audrey had it parked near McDonalds. He waited for his sister and together, they walked towards the fast food establishment. After telling him what she wants, Kevin fell in line to the counter.

Audrey found an empty place near a bunch of guys who were busy with their reading materials in front of them. She can overhear them speaking in French and she sighed.

“Excuse moi, je m’appelle Philippe et vous?” A guy, from the group and obviously good-looking, approached her table. He got a pair of reading glasses perched on his nose in which she found charming.

“Huh?” Damn, she felt stupid in front of this cute guy.

The guy blushed and bit his lower lip. “I’m sorry. I thought y-you can…” Philippe looked at the ceiling then back to her, “speak French. My name is Philippe.” He smiled down to her.

“And I’m his brother.”

They turned when Kevin arrived with their food. He gave Philippe an intimidating look from head to foot and glanced at his sister. “Do you know him?”

Audrey shakes her head. “It’s nice to meet you, Philippe.” She smiled politely. Kevin sat across the table from her and placed her food. They were planning to start with their food when they noticed that Philippe is still there. “Uh, excuse moi but we would like to be left alone now." Audrey said.

Philippe only gave her a look of confusion. Kevin drew a deep breath as he made a gesture of showing him away. "Pardon, mademoiselle, but I..." He sighed, "I didn’t catch your name."

”That’s because she didn’t throw it to you." Kevin retorted. Audrey placed a hand above her brother’s hand. Philippe sighed in resignation. He gave Audrey one last look before he excused himself and left.

"He’s cute." Audrey whispered to Kevin. "It’s just that he’s a little, uh, confused of himself."

Kevin rolled his eyes. "If he’s interested in you, he must learn to speak English first." He took one glance to the group of college guys near their table. They were looking at them while Philippe, whose face is still blushing deeply, busied himself with a thick book in front of him. The guy must be the shyest person in their group. When he attempted to take a quick glance to Audrey, he met Kevin’s look instead and he immediately looked away. Audrey didn’t see it. The young man is attracted to her.

Kevin shakes his head as he secretly smiled. He remembered the first time he saw his wife and it was on a diner back in his hometown. When it happened, he knew then that Kristin was the one. “Audrey,” he called his sister’s attention.

“Yeah?”

“Did you know that I’m already married?”

“Really? Atty. Kiefer never mentioned anything about it, Kev.”

“And you already had a nephew.” Kevin smiled. “I asked Atty. Kiefer not to say anything about them for now. I’d like to be the one to introduce my family to my siblings.” He drinks his soda. “I missed my wife and my son.”

“How old is my nephew?”

“He’s only five-months old. That’s why we decided not to take him here because he’s so young. We call him Koko.”

“I want to meet him, Kevin, as well as your wife.”

“I hope you will,” Kevin sighed. Talking about it now, he missed his wife. He wished that everything here are done so that he can go back home, pay the bank and get back to his normal life.

ELEVEN by scarlett

 

 

Nick glanced around as he sits on the table. He’s back in the restaurant where he first saw the mysterious woman. After Kevin and Audrey left, he also went out of the house to go to town. He wore a cap to hide his features and his slightly bruised face. Damn Kevin! He’s going to pay for what he did. He looked around again. He wanted to see her but that’s just it. He still couldn’t find the courage to walk over and introduce himself, which is unusual for him.

“Here’s your order, Monsieur.” The waiter said and placed Nick’s food on the table. It wasn’t long before since he started eating his food when the waiter went back and gave him a folded piece of newspaper. “This is for your reading pleasure, Sir.” The waiter bowed and left.

“Huh?” Nick frowned. He didn’t ask for the paper. He looked around and saw the woman he came to see. She’s not looking at him, as she is busy clearing up her things and standing up. He didn’t realize that she’s here all along. He watched as the woman leaves the restaurant. Shaking his head, he turned to the newspaper in front of him and that’s when he saw her.

There’s a one-third column space on one page and it belongs to the woman. Her name is Sophia LaCrouix. Nick raised an eyebrow. Her last name is French. Hmmm. She’s a columnist in Paris’ leading newspaper. He continued to read as the column’s subject for the day is about the influence of political families in the society. Thankfully and surprisingly, the article was in English. And she’s a good writer. He wondered why the waiter gave him a copy of her column. He probably have noticed him there everyday and thought about helping him know about Sophia.

“I wasn’t surprised that you’re reading the newspaper because a Harvard graduate like you should, but a French newspaper? You never cease to surprise me, Nick.” AJ said, coming out from nowhere. He invited himself to sit in front of Nick.

“Why are you here? Aren’t you going to a friend?”

“I just did and then I saw you chilling out in here and decided to join you. I don’t want to go home yet and see Kevin. Fuck that man. He pissed me off.” AJ muttered.

Nick only shrugged as he drinks his Coke. AJ takes the newspaper and tries to look at it. “This is insane. I can’t even understand this. How could we have different languages? It’s just making the world a complicated place.” He shakes his head. He took a cigarette and started smoking. “I just got this silly thought. Kevin just can’t be our brother. How could Dad produced a barbaric son like that?”

Nick smirked at AJ’s chattiness. He looked at his brother. “You know what? For the first time, I agree with you.”

“Am I a genius or what?”

“You’re a what.” Nick chuckled. “So, what do we do?”

“Nothing.” AJ takes a drag on his cigarette.

“Oh, come on!”

“I’m not a bad person, Nick. Besides, you’re the one he hit not me.” AJ laughed. He pulled down Nick’s cap, covering his face.



~~~



“No kidding,” AJ is laughing hard when Nick told him that Paris asked him out before he flew to France. “She did that? She’s really unbelievable!”

“Paris?” Howie raised an eyebrow. “She’s like almost any other women you’ve dated, Nick.” Audrey, who’s just silent all throughout her brothers’ conversation, just listened. So did Kevin, who is sitting quietly beside her.

“Hey, that’s not true. Ingrid Phillips was a nice woman.” Nick frowned. He lights up another cigarette.

“The deceased didn’t count,” AJ rolled his eyes. Nick’s girlfriend died in a car accident after she’s been with Nick the night before. It was all over the news as the sixteen-wheeler truck ran over her car and crashed it into pieces, including her.

“Why is it always me? How about you, AJ? You change girlfriends almost frequently too.” Nick pointed to his brother. “Aside from that, you’ve been doing coke.”

“Hey! That’s foul. I’m not. I’m clean!” AJ stood up. “I’m may be looking like this with all the tattoo but I’m clean.” Of course, he is. He’s a businessman and he doesn’t want to do anything that may harm his name and reputation to his clients and colleagues. They respected him in LA.

“Really?” Brian smirked. Kevin shakes his head. The tension around them is heating up once again.

AJ turned to him. “What do you mean by that, huh?”

“You looked like crap and dirty and you’re telling us that you’re clean. Come on,” Brian smirked again.

“Brian…” Howie warned as AJ walked towards their brother and pulled him by the collar of his shirt.

“Fuck, you don’t know me, Brian!” AJ said between gritted teeth. He felt Howie held his arm to stop him. “Shut up, Howie. You should go back to your mama, you mama’s boy,” he smirked at that.

“Mama’s boy?” Nick teased. Howie frowned and punched AJ on the face. Soon enough, the two found themselves engaged in a fight. Nick was just smirking then turned to Brian. “Hey, Brian. You don’t look like a PE teacher. You’re too small to be one.”

“Really? What about you, pig?” Brian pushed him. Nick’s face reddened at that. Pig! This little man should know who the pig is. He hit Brian on the face and received a blow in return.

When Kevin and Audrey saw what’s going on among the four, they stood up and tried to break the fight. They were like kids, picking up a fight and calling each other names. Audrey tried to stop Brian and Nick but was too afraid to get involved as well. Kevin saw her and pulled the two apart. And then, punched each one on the stomach to weaken them. He did the same with Howie and AJ. Kevin thought it’s the end as he watched them writhe in pain. But he didn’t see it coming. The four of them lunged towards him and got him down on the ground.

“We had enough of you, you asshole!” Nick screamed in anger as they hit Kevin altogether. Audrey yelled for them to stop. Kevin struggled to free himself away from them. Their sister tried pulling each one away from the eldest one as tears continued to flow down her face. She yelled for Oliver and the other servants in the mansion to help her.

“Stop it!” Audrey tried again. But they won’t listen. “Alright, you won’t stop? I’ll leave and I won’t tell you where I’ve gone. It doesn’t matter if there are men in town, probably bad people. I’ll go on my own.” She immediately ran out of the house. When her brothers registered what she said, they stopped. But she’s already gone.

TWELVE by scarlett

 

 

Nick didn’t saw Audrey around the house, so did his brothers. They won’t talk to each other and no one wanted to say anything to find Audrey together. He’s beginning to get worried of his sister. She’s still young, even at eighteen. She’s naïve as she almost grew up in the boarding school and protected from the negativity of the outside world. What if somebody saw her and tried to come to her? He couldn’t bear to think of anything to happen to Audrey. He might go crazy if something happens to her.

He saw Kevin coming down the grand staircase and all dressed up. “I’m going to look for Audrey at the town.” The eldest said.

“I’ll go with you.” Nick said. Kevin didn’t reply. They turned when Howie, Brian and AJ said that they’d like to go too. Together, they walked out of the house and towards the large gates of the estate. Audrey brought the car with her so they will take the public transportation to go around town to look for her. When they reached the street, Kevin started to talk.

“Where do you think she’d go?”

Nick racked his brains for the answer. He actually doesn’t know much about his sister. He bit his lower lip. What kind of a big brother is he? “She’s young and naïve so I guess she won’t be going around the city that much. She’ll find some hotel where she can stay for the meantime.” He replied. He looked at his older brothers. All five of them are wearing a cap and it still won’t conceal the bruises they have from each other earlier.

“I can’t believe that she left without anyone of us with her,” AJ muttered.

“You weren’t able to go after her because you’re too busy hitting me!” Howie smacked the back of AJ’s neck. The younger one is about to retaliate but the other three stopped him.

“Let’s stop this and look for Audrey, okay? This is our fault.” Brian glared. He walked ahead of them. The others followed and not really knowing where to start looking for Audrey.



~~~



Everyone rushed towards the door when they heard a car stopped in front of the mansion. They couldn’t find Audrey. It’s almost midnight and no one has any plans to sleep either. It frustrated them that it’s their fault why Audrey ran away. They admitted to that.

They saw Oscar, the house butler, closing the door after Audrey got in. The old man puts on a cotton coat over her shoulders to keep her warm.

“Audrey…” Nick tried to call out and bit his lower lip. Audrey looked at her brothers.

“How did it go? Did you prove something to yourselves, huh?”

The five men were just staring at her. There was an awkward silence as each tried to think of what to say something to her. Audrey shakes her head. She’s still pissed off. She started to climb up the grand staircase. “We’re sorry.” She heard AJ said. She turned around. They were all looking at her.

“Don’t tell that to me. Tell that to each other.” She stood there and waited.

The five men looked at each other. They didn’t talk to each other for the entire day. They didn’t even try to make amends with each other. Kevin took the initiative and extended his hand. “I’m sorry if I hit you earlier, guys.”

Howie takes the hand first and shakes it. “I’m sorry, Kev.” He turned to AJ. “I’m sorry, AJ. I was wrong there.”

AJ nodded. He drew a deep breath. “Uh, I’m sorry too. I shouldn’t have said things that hurt you” He looked up when Nick patted him on the shoulders.

“Sorry, bro.” Nick said to him and to the others, as well. “Especially that I’m the most snob person here.”

Brian bit his lower lip. “Yeah, I’m at fault too. Sorry, guys.” They shook hands with each other. When they turned towards Audrey, she’s gone.



~~~



“We’ve got mail!” Brian yelled after the butler gave him a brown envelope. He was amused as he saw his brothers and sister started coming out from all corners of the house after his announcement. They all gathered at the foot of the grand staircase. After that ‘fight’ episode some nights ago, they started to go along with each other again. It was hard for the men, of course, but subconsciously, they’re doing this for their sister.

“Open it. Come on. Where did it come from?” Nick said impatiently.

Brian glared at him when Nick tried to snatch it. What an impatient kid! “Shut up, Nick.” He turned to the envelope in hand. “Well, this came from Atty. Kiefer.” He opened the mail and takes out pieces of papers. He began reading it silently then took a glance to them. “Uh, is this some challenge or what? I’m beginning to think that we’re on a reality show.” He glanced around for possible hidden cameras.

Howie sighed. “What does it say?” He takes the papers from him and read it.

“The papers were addressed individually to us. Take one which has your name on it.” Brian said and took his own copy. The others followed. Nick looked at his own paper then crumpled it in his fist. He glared at them when they turned in question and then he went up to his room.

Audrey looked at her brothers and bit her lower lip. She suppressed the tears threatening to fall and she, too, immediately went upstairs to her room.

“What’s wrong with those two?” AJ asked. He didn’t look at his own copy. He hates melodrama and that’s probably what their father had indicated in his letters for them. He went out of the house. Howie, on the other hand, silently went upstairs as well. Brian did, too.

Kevin watched everyone disappear in front of him. He never thought that the issue of their father’s death is still very sensitive for everyone and they’re just trying to hide the fact that they were still in mourning, that despite the circumstances of their existence, they care for their father after all. That’s the common thing among them. He did, too. Although he doesn’t know Geoffrey well, his mother is responsible enough to tell him about the father he never met. He glanced down at the letter in his hand and went to sit at the steps of the grand staircase.


‘Dear Kevin,
I hope this letter arrives in time for your high school graduation. I regret for not having been there for you, not having been there to be the father you’re expecting me to be. Things are not as easy as it is but I want you to know that I love you. I love you very much. You’ve been in my thoughts ever since you were born. I am so proud for having you as my son. They told me that you did well in school and you wanted to pursue college. I wanted to give you that opportunity and I hope that it’s not yet late for me to do that. I will give you the instructions that you will need…’



THIRTEEN by scarlett

 

 

Nick sat down on the bed and stared at the crumpled sheet of paper in his hand. He couldn’t help the tears that fell down his face when he read the first words on his father’s letter for him.

To my ever-dearest son, Nick.

He never expected his father addressing him that way. He never felt himself being dearest to his father. With all the mischief he had just to get his father’s attention, he’s still his father’s dearest son. He continued staring at the paper. His hands are trembling. He doesn’t want to do anything to start reading it. Was it fear? Was it loneliness? He couldn’t try to continue to read what’s in the letter.

His tears continue to fall. He couldn’t admit to everyone how his father’s death affected him so much, how he regretted that he was cold on him when he called before he died. He punched a wall then when he heard the news. His father didn't deserve to die.

At the funeral, he concealed see his true emotions from the people who were trying to know how does it feel for him. He doesn't need their sympathy. His father was gone and he blamed himself for being the bad son that he is, for causing his father a lot of pain.

He loves his father so much. It saddened him a lot that he wasn’t able to tell and show him how much he loves him and appreciates everything he’s done for him. He regretted that he wasn’t able to tell his father how proud he was of him. If only he could turn back the time, he will fix everything between them. He will make up for everything he’s done. He will show him that everything he did was for him.

Nick continued to cry silently. He felt so alone. He felt so lonely. He missed his father.

Probably after almost half an hour, he takes the courage to open the crumpled piece of paper. And he saw it again. His eyes blurred from tears and he gently wiped it away.


‘To my ever-dearest son, Nick.
I know you’re mad at me for failing you in many different reasons but I want you to know that I love you so much. You are very close to my heart and even though we disappointed each other many times, I never give up on you. I will be here by your side in whatever you planned to be in your life. I’ve been to your high school graduation today but they told me that you’re already gone. For the nth time, I failed again. But as long as I live, I will try to make up for the times I’ve lost. I have my own shortcomings as a father but I will do my best to be what you expect me to be. Please forgive me for the things I did in the past. And I’m proud of you when you decide to pursue a career in law. It’s something that I wanted to be when I was young but my own father insisted me to become a businessman to handle the family business. I’d like you to know that I’ll support your way to Harvard, son. You may not know it but I’ve been very glad that you pursued my dream.

After you read this, I hope we can talk. I hope you can find a time to talk with me. I will try to, just tell me when. I missed the days when we go out camping together when you’re just a kid. I remembered the days we spent together at sea, scuba diving and just swimming around. I also missed that day when you fell down the deep river and I went after you to save you. We formed a bond there and I want to bring it back. You’re my precious boy. And I just don’t want memories. I want to be your father again.
Love, Dad’



He couldn’t help it now as he poured sad tears. “Dad, I miss you…” He really did and he can’t do anything now. His dad was gone.



~~~



Audrey stared blankly into space as she sits alone in her own balcony just outside her room. She missed her dad. Seeing his handwriting when she got her letter sent back memories of the past. She wiped her tears with the back of her hand. It’s been more than a month now since he’s gone. She’s still in mourning. She never got the chance to tell him how much she loves him despite his shortcomings as a father to her and Nick.


‘My one and dearest daughter, Audrey.
I want you to know that I love you. I am proud for the young woman you’ve become. I may not be always there for you but surely, your mother guided you well to become a loving and caring person that you are. She tells me a lot about you and Nick. I regret the times I wasn’t there for you. I may not be the best father you can be proud of but I’m trying to be. I can’t blame you and Nick for turning against me. It’s something that I failed to see, that I’m disappointing my own children in favor of the businesses I’ve had. Still, you’re always in my thoughts especially you, my only daughter. I felt so happy on the day that you were born. You are so beautiful that I don’t want anyone to touch you except me and your Mom.

By the time you’re reading this, you’re probably on your way to boarding school. I especially chose that institute for you. It’s a good school where you can be safe and away from the dangers and bad influences of the modern society. You may not love it there but I trust that you’re going to be in good hands. I want the best for you and your brother. I love you so much, Audrey…’



Audrey continued to read her father’s letter. Her silent weeping turned into quiet sobs. She felt alone. She felt lost. She realized how much her father loves her and cares everything for her own good. She realized how she took everything for granted and regretted what should have done because now, she can’t do anything but cry. Her father is forever gone.



~~~



‘My darling Alex,
It hurts me when you showed me away when I attended the inauguration of your business but I know, I couldn’t blame you for what you did. As I am to Nick and Audrey, I haven’t been a good father to you too. Nevertheless, I’m grateful and happy that you’re my son. I’ve been so proud of what you have become. You’re a very intelligent man who knows what he wants and what to do with his life…’



AJ bit his lower lip as he continued reading. He never wanted to cry but his father’s letter makes him cry. After all that has happened in the past, he realized that he loved his father. He may not admit it before but he idolized him. Knowing that The Geoffrey Carter was his father inspired him to be the best he can be, to achieve the goals he wanted to reach. He looked up to his father like an undaunted hero who surpassed several hardships in life. He wanted to be a successful businessman like his father.


‘Be thankful with what you have, Alex, and continue with what your aspirations in life are. Don’t give up from any challenges you may encounter for it will make you strong. And most of all, believe me when I tell you that I love you very much.’


AJ wiped his tears. He put back his shades and leaned against the lounge chair. He had forgiven his father. He felt lighter now. He realized that forgiving is the only way to make himself free, happier and lighter. He felt more confident because he now knows that his father loves him. It may be late for that but he felt he’s ready to face anything now. He had his back-up. He knows that wherever he is now, his father will always be with him, in his heart and soul.

FOURTEEN by scarlett

 

 

It’s been silent during dinner that night but nobody mind about it. It’s better that way. No one even opened up about the mail that each one had received earlier. No one wants to talk about it.

Kevin looked around and cleared his throat. “Where’s Nick?”

Audrey shrugged. “He borrowed the car from me, said it’s really important. I don’t want to give it to him at first but he insisted, telling me that he won’t be able to sleep if he failed to go to some restaurant in town.” She quietly told them.

“Is there something wrong?” AJ asked, surprised that he’s actually concerned about Nick. They heard footsteps in the hall and Nick coming inside the dining room.

“Oh, good. You’re still having dinner.” He occupied his usual seat beside Brian, carefully placing a newspaper on the empty seat beside him. He failed to see the exchanged looks between his siblings as he started to eat. Each one thought that they have no right to question him where he’s gone to, except Howie.

“Where have you been?” the elder one courageously asked Nick.

Nick looked at Howie. The others turned back to eating, pretending they didn’t mind. “I’ve been to a restaurant, that’s all. Is that bad?” His brother frowned at him. He ignored it and continued to eat. Once again, there’s silence. Nick felt the awkwardness and looked around. He caught Audrey stole a glance at him. He realized the curiosity in her eyes. He ignored it and turned back to his food.

“What did you do there?” Brian asked then.

Nick stopped eating and looked at him. “I only went to see someone, a woman. Satisfied?” He turned back to eating.

But being the bubbly one, AJ couldn’t take the awkward situation. “Nick, you can’t really live without a woman.” He shakes his head. “Anyway, who wants to go out with me tonight? Raise your hand.” There were two, coming from Nick and Audrey. AJ raised an eyebrow to their sister. “Excuse me. You like to go out with us?” He smirked.

Audrey looked at her brothers who focused on her reply. “Hey, I’m eighteen. Besides, I’m bored here.”

“Just don’t go talking to guys like Philippe,” Kevin said, almost a mumble, but Brian heard it.

Brian won’t allow Audrey to go out at night even if she’s eighteen. He believes that she should be at least twenty-five. That’s how strict he wanted to be when it comes to her. “Who’s Philippe?”

Audrey reddened as she met Nick’s look. Her brother is overprotective of her, even way back in LA. Her situation got worst now that she had five older brothers looking after her. Brian’s tone seemed strict, like the high school PE teacher that he is. Howie’s look is disapproving on the other hand. Kevin remained quiet, letting her explain who Philippe is. “Philippe is a French guy who asked my name when Kevin and I went to eat at McDonalds last time.”

“Is he cute?” AJ pressed on. Howie lightly nudged his seatmate. “What? I’m just asking if Philippe is cute.”

“You’re giving her ideas.” Nick retorted. “Audrey, you’re not coming with us. You’ll stay here.” The young woman groaned in frustration.

“I don’t think she’ll see Philippe although I seriously doubted no one’s gonna ask her name too.” Kevin said. He smiled to Audrey. “I may only be a high school graduate but I got A in French class. From their conversation, Philippe and his study group were cramming for exams in anatomy class. They were talking a lot about medical jargons and I presume that he’s a med student.”

“Dr. Philippe? This is interesting. Our baby sister has a doctor for an admirer.” AJ teased. He drinks his juice. He successfully broke the awkward situation brought about by their father’s letters on them.

“This is your fault, AJ. If you didn’t convince Audrey to dress up in fashion, I won’t worry on the guys who’ll ask her out.” Nick told him.

“Oh, now it’s my fault.” AJ saw Howie’s look. “Hey, stop giving me that Mexican look, Howie. You’re creeping me out. Besides, she’s my sister too. Don’t you want her to look pretty?”

“Well…” Howie glanced around. “And I’m Puerto Rican, AJ.”

Brian nodded. “I don’t think this is a good idea. I mean, you should go out when you’re at least twenty-five.”

“Twenty-five?” AJ and Nick burst out laughing together. “Man, you’re a real comedian.” AJ added.

Nick stopped laughing. “He got a point.”

AJ rolled his eyes. He stood up. “Oh, come on. Get dressed, Nick, Audrey. Let’s hit the town.”

“No.” The other four replied. AJ sighed.

“Listen, guys. I’ll take care of Audrey. Nick and I will take care of Audrey. We’ll get some clean fun, dance in the clubs and meet other people. It’s not as if we’re marrying Audrey off to some stranger. Chill! Geez…” When the men didn’t budge, he went back to his seat. He won’t be able to take Audrey out and have a life if the men he called brothers are not going to agree with him. “Okay, let’s vote.”

Audrey groaned once again. “I’m going out with AJ whether you guys like it or not. Anyway, I have the car keys.” With that, she quickly stood up and went out of the dining room. AJ stood up from the table and turned when Howie called him.

“Take care of Audrey.”

“That’s our baby sister.” Brian added. His jaws clenched.

“If you let her out of your sight, we will kill you,” Kevin smirked. He’s confident that AJ will take care of their sister. He trusts him with that. Nick stood up as well and told AJ that he’ll come along.



~~~



Nick watched as AJ talked to a couple of women at the bar. They found a nice club where the music is nice and the people inside were having tremendous fun. There are many people inside but the place is not packed. He can hear lots of French language around as well as English, but he’s not in the mood to mingle. He’d rather spend his time just hanging around by the bar and watch people. Audrey is standing beside him, telling him something about the synchronization of the lighting above their head. He smirked. Audrey loves to talk when she’s excited and she seemed to be now. This is a small amount of freedom for her, away from the pressures of boarding school.

“Why don’t you go around and meet some woman, Nick?” Her sister asked him.

“I’m not in the mood. I’d just like to hang out.” Nick took a swig of his beer. Actually, he’s hoping that maybe Sophia is around. Maybe, this is where he can finally have the courage to introduce himself and get to know her. A brunette stood beside him and he caught the scent of an expensive perfume. He gave a rundown look on her and smiled. This is a pretty one. Maybe he can have a little fun. The woman noticed him and smiled.

“Great crowd,” she said aloud for him to hear.

“Yeah. Have you been here before?” Nick inched himself closer to her. “What’s your poison?”

“Long Island Tea,” the woman replied. Nick ordered one to the bartender. He completely ignored Audrey, who’s just beside him. “I’m a tourist. You? You look familiar.”

“Same as you are.” The beat of the club turned into house music. They started moving with the music as they just stood together. “I’m nobody.” He smirked. The woman gets more confident and moved even closer. One arm goes around his neck. Nick put an arm on her waist as they sway to the music. Audrey only watched her brother work it out with the woman. She’s witnessing firsthand what her brothers do in places like this. A man passed by Nick and directly turned to Audrey. Without doing anything, Nick just leaned towards the unnamed woman and let the guy talk to his sister. He will forget Sophia LaCrouix for a while. He may get himself laid tonight. He hasn’t been for a longtime now and it amazes him.

“Hi, I’m Kyle.” He heard the man said to Audrey. He pulled the woman closer to his body, with the intention of turning his way where he can clearly watch over his sister. Audrey’s lucky to get inside the club with her age. She got him and AJ for brothers, the veterans of their kind.

Audrey smiled and Nick wanted to erase that smile. She might send the wrong signal to this man. Still, he just let her handle the situation. Audrey shakes the man’s hand as she says, “I’m Audrey.”

“Nice place, huh? I’m from New York. I saw you and I thought you’re maybe American. Do you live here in Paris or just a tourist, too?” Kyle said and stood between her and Nick. The man didn’t know that Audrey’s brother is only standing beside him.

“Whatever you think I am,” Audrey replied. Nick’s eyes widened at her reply. Is it just him or does her reply sounded like flirting with this man? He surveyed the man from head to feet. He’s maybe not bad at all but Nick doesn’t like him. He forgot about the woman in his arms as his attention is now on Kyle.

Kyle noticed Nick. “Excuse me, why are you staring at me?”

“That’s because you’re talking with our sister.” AJ retorted, finally going back to where he left them. He and Nick, who let go of the woman he's dancing with, faced Kyle, arms across their chest.

Kyle smirked. He turned to Audrey. “Oh, you got chaperones.”

Audrey raised an eyebrow. “What do you mean by that?” Kyle gave her a scrutinizing and malicious look from head to feet. She doesn’t like what he did and before anyone knew what’s bound to happen, she punched the man on the face.

“Fuck! You, bitch –“ As soon as Kyle said that, AJ and Nick went down to the business and started the fight. People in the club started to turn at the instant commotion. Three men were on the floor. The two were helping each other out in beating the third one who’s crying for help. Two bouncers of the club came to the rescue and pulled Nick and AJ with ease. Another big man came and pulled Kyle on his feet too. The bouncers threw them out of the bar and into the street.

“That’s our sister, you asshole!” AJ kicked Kyle once again. Nick looked down at the man with a smirk then knelt down to beat the other one again.


FIFTEEN by scarlett

 

 

 

“Remind me if those two need their own chaperones,” Howie muttered to Kevin as he, Kevin and Brian reached the police station where AJ and Nick are currently detained together with the man they beat up with. Audrey called about a half hour ago and told them that the police arrested the two for picking up a fight and refusing to stop beating a man in the club.

They saw Audrey sitting quietly by the reception area. When she saw her other brothers, she stood up and hugged them. “Where are the two?” Brian asked.

“They’re inside. The police separated them from Kyle because they won’t stop beating him up. I’m sorry. It’s my fault.” Audrey bit her lower lip. Brian puts his arm on her shoulders.

“What happened?” Kevin’s brows furrowed. He saw Howie talking in French with the police officers and he can only understand a little of what they’re talking about because Howie switched to Spanish after that.

“Who’s Kyle?” Brian frowned. He’s beginning to guess what really happened.

“Kyle is the one who came to me at the club. Nick was standing nearby with a woman while AJ was talking with some people across us. And then Kyle noticed Nick seemed to be staring at him and that’s where it all started. When Kyle learned that I’m with my brothers, he gave me this malicious look in front of Nick. It infuriated me and I punched him on the face. When he told me that I was a bitch, Nick and AJ jumped on him and beat him up. The security at the bar threw them out but the two won’t stop so the police came and picked all three of them.”

Kevin’s jaw clenched, as well as Brian’s. “The guy called you bitch? Where is he?”

“Oh no, not you too.” Audrey turned to Kevin and hugged him. Kevin and Brian looked at each other. Audrey has the power to rouse their protective instinct as her older brothers. She seemed too delicate and needs their protection. Howie came back to them with a smile on his face.

“All’s done. AJ and Nick will be free.” He winked. “But first, we have to see them inside. I’d love to see what they looked like behind bars.” He shakes his head. He looked at Audrey. “And we’d like to see Kyle as well. He’s lucky he’s inside or else, we’ll beat him up senseless too.”

Audrey rolled her eyes. Brothers! She followed the three towards the cell where AJ and Nick are. “Hello, adorable brothers.” Brian greeted with a teasing smile. AJ and Nick turned when they heard them.

Nick stood up and went to the bars. He glared at Audrey. “If only you didn’t wear that skirt and replied that flirty remark, none of this would have happened.”

“Lady, you’re not going to any clubs if you look so damn gorgeous. Got it?” AJ seconded. “I’m beginning to regret I took you to a salon.” His brothers laughed at the last one.

Audrey frowned and gave them weird looks. “What was her flirty remark then, Nick?” Kevin asked.

Nick’s eyes never left Audrey’s. “She just told the man that she’s whatever he thinks she is when he asked her if she lives here or just a tourist. You made it sound you’re easy, Auddie.” He points his fingers to her. “You’re grounded.”

“Hey, do you have the right to tell me I’m grounded? You’re not Mom. Besides, I handled the guy. I punched him on the face. You just made it worst when you and AJ decided to kill him.”

“Nick can’t make you grounded? He’s your brother. I am, too, and I’m telling you that you’re grounded.” AJ stood beside Nick. He turned to Howie. “I heard your Spanish-speaking friend knew you since then and we’re free to go. Why are we still here?”

“Just savoring the moment,” Howie smirked. They flinched when he shot a photo of them with his camera phone. “Ah, unforgettable memories. Anyway, Kyle will be free too but after two hours. If we can’t beat him like you did, that’s the least we can do.” A guard stepped forward and unlocked the cell. Nick and AJ went out of it. They never stop glaring at Audrey. Their sister returned the look. Then the two went to the other cell where Kyle is.

“Hey, pretty boy.” AJ mocked. Kyle looked up.

“Hey, you.” Nick pointed his fingers to the man. “Don’t show your face to us or in LA because if you did, this night is going to have a repeat performance. Remember our faces and don’t mess up with our sister.”

Audrey rolled her eyes. “Come on guys. It’s not worth it.” But her brothers didn’t budge. She decided to leave them and just wait outside. She stood beside their car while waiting for them. They’re overreacting. They love the idea of being her older brother and protecting them from guys who may only hurt her but if things like this will continue, she should do something immediately to prevent this.

“Hi.”

Audrey turned and saw the familiar face. It’s Philippe. “Uh, hi.”

“What are you doing outside the police station?” Philippe removed his eyeglasses and Audrey found him more charming.

“Hey. You’re speaking English.” She smiled and extended her hand. “By the way, I’m Audrey. My brothers are inside. It’s a long story. How about you? What are you doing here at this hour?”

Philippe shrugged as he puts his hands into his pockets. He shyly smiled. “I’ve gone from a friend who teaches me how to speak English. I've been studying in a long time now.” He stared at her. “I thought I won't make us of it until I met you. I want to understand you, hoping that I’ll meet you again.”

“Oh,” Audrey felt herself blushed. Philippe will do that for her? “My brother heard that you’re still a student.”

“I’m specializing cardiology in the university.” Philippe replied in his hard English. He’s still struggling for words before he answer her. “I’d like to know you better if you will let me, Audrey. I hope it’s okay. Uh, maybe we can also go and eat at McDonalds some time and just talk and learn from each other.”

“You’re asking me out?” Audrey smiled.

“Uh, like a date? Yes, Audrey.”

“Sure.” Philippe stared at her after her reply. “I’d like us to talk and learn from each other,” she slowly told him. “You can pick me up at Chateau Cordell. That’s where I’m staying right now.”

“Wow. You live there?” Philippe turned when he saw five men coming out of the station. “Okay. Tomorrow at five pm. I have classes until four. Thank you, Audrey.” He smiled to her. They turned and waited for Audrey’s brothers to reach them. “Good evening, monsieur.”

Kevin looked at him then to Audrey. “You understand each other now?”

“Yes, Kevin. He also asked me out.” Audrey replied, giving AJ and Nick a challenging look.

“Who are you?” Brian asked the younger man. Damn, can’t any man live their sister alone?

“My name is Philippe Deveraux.” He extended his hand for an offer of a handshake with them. Behind him, Audrey is glaring at her brothers. So, they each shook hands with Philippe, introducing themselves one by one. “It’s been nice meeting you. Excuse me but I have to go now.” He turned to Audrey. “Au revoir, mademoiselle.”

“Au revoir, Philippe.”

They all watched him walk away. Nick took one last look to Philippe then glared at his sister. “You’re not listening, aren’t you? You’re grounded and yet, you accepted a date with him.”

“Geez, Nick. Don’t worry too much about me.” Audrey looked at her brothers and they’re giving her a look. “Hey, you’re overreacting. Did you know that?”

“We’ll go with you.” Howie said. The others agreed on that, especially Nick.

Audrey stared at them incredulously. “What? No way! Oh no. This can’t be happening. I don’t need your overprotection. You’re not going with me tomorrow. No way! No way!”

SIXTEEN by scarlett

 

 

“No way!” Audrey felt like almost screaming when she saw her brothers all dressed up for her date with Philippe. She watched them go down the main staircase. She looked helplessly around and found the butler, Oscar, watching her brothers with an amused smile. “Oscar. Maybe you can help me convince that I don’t need these men to chaperone me on my date.”

“I’m sorry mademoiselle, but I can’t say anything about it.” Oscar replied. The five reached them. “Good evening, sirs.”

“Do we look good, Oscar?” AJ asked.

“Certainly, monsieur.” They turned when they heard a car stopped in front. Audrey raised a hand to stop her brothers.

“For the last time, I’m begging you now to please leave me alone. You’re exaggerating. You love tormenting me like this.”

“That’s what we do. You’re our baby sister.” Brian smiled wider. Oscar opened the door after someone knocked. They saw Philippe standing outside with a shy smile. When he saw Audrey’s five brothers, he politely greeted them. The five looked at each other as Howie nodded to Kevin. Nick and Brian groaned.

“Alright, Audrey.” Kevin said. “We talked about this upstairs. We’re letting you go out alone but you have a curfew. Philippe,” he turned to the young man. “You see these men beside me? This is Howie, son of former Senator Lucia Dorough of Puerto Rico, and he had connections and diplomatic immunity in 20 countries including Mexico. AJ is the son of the actress Eliza McLean and he’s famous for his aggressive business acumen. More so, he is protective of his personal assets, including Audrey.” Their sister’s eyes widened from what Kevin is talking about. “Brian is a well-built PE teacher. He can tackle you in just one hand that you’ll beg for mercy. Nick will be a practicing legal counselor. He can formulate different alibis just to get you where you will belong once you mess up with our sister. I, on the other hand, am a strong-built proud farmer who can take you down from where you’re standing right now. If we say that you’ll bring Audrey home at eleven pm, you’ll do that. We’ll stop nothing to hunt your tails down if you do something terrible to her. We’re serious. We’re not just like anyone. We’re her brothers.”

Audrey rolled her eyes when she saw the intimidating looks her brothers were giving Philippe. They are enjoying this. “Yes, sir. You can trust me on that.” She heard Philippe say and shook hands with Kevin.

“Okay, goodbye.” Audrey said and she went out of the house with Philippe. She saw that he brought a car. When she got inside, she saw her brothers watching them go. Nick still seemed apprehensive over the matter that he won’t be going with her. But it’s better this way. It’s been embarrassing enough for Philippe that her brothers acted as her father should. “Philippe, about my brothers…”

“It’s okay,” Philippe smiled to her. “They seemed nice. I admire their passion as your brothers. They just wanted to protect you and I’m going to keep that trust they gave me. Besides, I have sisters too.”

Audrey stared at him. “Are you for real?”

“Huh?”

“Are you for real?” She asked him again. “I mean, you just learned English and yet, you seemed fluent about it. And you’re in med school.” The car went out of the estate and into the road. Philippe only smiled in reply. “Where are you planning to take me?”

“Somewhere light, I guess.” Philippe slowly spoke. “Audrey, I’ve been studying English double-time so that we can…understand each other.”

Audrey nodded. She wanted to see that he’s a nice guy but it’s still early to say that. In only a few minutes drive, since there’s no traffic, they reached a posh restaurant and parked the car across the street from it. He led her inside and the receptionist welcomed them. She smiled to Philippe and greeted Audrey congenially. “She’s a belle, Philippe. Your mother is inside.” The woman added. Philippe only nodded and they were ushered towards a secluded area of the restaurant.

“The people seemed to know you here.” Audrey noticed.

Philippe smiled. “I’m a regular customer. By the way, are you still studying too?” A waiter came and greeted them. Audrey looked at the man opposite him. There’s just something in him that makes her wonder.



~~~



Nick is tired but he doesn’t want to miss another night again. He wanted to go back to that open restaurant in hopes of seeing Sophia LaCrouix. After Audrey has left, he also left to go back to the restaurant again. He doesn’t know what has gotten into him but he really wanted to see her, even from afar. He only wanted to look at her. He still couldn’t find any courage to walk over and make an introduction.

“Bonsoir, Monsieur,” a waiter greeted him as he settled himself down on an empty table. “Qu’est-ce que vous désirez?”

Nick thought for a moment after the waiter asked him what would he have to order. “I’d like just a ham sandwich and water, please.” He saw the waiter looked at him in confusion. He drew a deep breath. “Je voudrais une sandwich au jambon et d’eau minérale, s’il vous plait.” He doesn’t know if he spoke it right.

“Alright. I’ll send the food right away, Sir.”

Nick’s jaw dropped as the waiter left immediately. He had a hard time over his French and the waiter didn’t even inform him that he could speak English. He slowly smiled and found it amusing. He looked around for Sophia and found her talking with a man on a table nearby. She’s looking quite lovelier tonight with her hair all tied up and she’s wearing a maroon silk dress. He felt the pack of cigarettes in front of him and looked down on it. He felt that he couldn’t smoke tonight. It seems like he couldn’t smoke in front of Sophia too.

He sighed. What’s happening to him? Is he trying to make an impression on her?

“Here is your order, Monsieur.” The waiter said.

Nick looked up to him with a smile. “You are a naughty waiter,” he looked at the waiter’s nameplate, “Julianne.”

Julianne smiled back. “Haven’t you noticed that I’m always the one who’s been serving you here? Oh, by the way, Sir,” he placed a newspaper on the table. “I just thought you may like the latest update.” And with that, he excused himself and left. Nick noticed that the newspaper was open to Sophia’s column. The waiter must have noticed that he’s just here to look at the woman. The column has a subject that tackles about meeting strangers. Nick raised an eyebrow then looked at Sophia. She’s still busy talking with the man she’s with and they were pointing at something in an open book in front of them. He turned back to the column.


‘On Dealing with Strangers.

I met so many people in my life in which most were my father’s business associates, or my brother’s acquaintances. I was accustomed in to dealing with different kinds of people. I have been familiar on how to deal and interact with them. But nothing compares to a stranger that I am about to tell you. This is my story on dealing with strangers. You see, more than two weeks ago, I saw this interesting man in an open restaurant in Passy. I never get to know him or even introducing myself. Maybe I’m curious and wonder who he is but I never get the initiative to try to show interest in him. I guess, he feels the same way, too. For the past weeks of constantly seeing him at a nearby table, there was never a chance for us to get to know each other. We were just simply looking at each other every time we’re in a same place. He didn’t even attempt to stand up and go over my table. I didn’t expect it from him anyway. He’s probably more creative than that or maybe, there’s a unique way for us to know each other. Who knows? My usual imaginative mind gives me different kinds of situations about him. I heard him spoke once and realized that he’s American. Hmm, that’s a start. Maybe he’s a tourist or probably, a businessman. Based on his good looks, maybe he’s an actor or a singer. I didn’t see him as the model-type. He looked too smart for that, no pun intended for male models out there. Maybe, he’s a runaway groom taking his hiding here in Paris. Maybe, he’s an exile. There are many other ideas that came to me about him and I don’t know why I’ve been giving myself the time to think about it. There’s just something in him that took my interest. Or maybe, something about him had aroused my curiosity about the tourism situation in our country. Maybe, he’s just like what I first thought that he is – a tourist. For decades, Paris had been famous to attract tourists from all over the world because of the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe, the Louvre, the cathedral of Notre Dame and many others. Strangers were normal among our society and they helped in generating an increase rate in our economy. The rate of visitor arrivals each year is overwhelming…’



Nick read on as Sophia’s article began talking about the effects of tourism in Paris in both ways – positively and negatively. She began stating the crime rate over the past five years as well as the performance of the police authorities to protect the tourists more than they did to their fellow French countrymen. She triggered the laws imposed on tourism, stating that they are not strict enough. Sophia mentioned many other things that Nick thought she’s being very straightforward and hitting people to the very core.

He looked at where she is and caught her looking at him. She looked away as she closed her book and followed the man in leaving the restaurant. She used him as an opening statement in her article. He knows that he’s the one she’s talking about but it doesn’t matter to him. What struck him is that she’s thinking of him the way he is thinking about her. Still, he couldn’t get the courage to walk over and introduce himself. He followed her with a look as she went inside a silver BMW with the man. She didn’t give him any smile tonight but only a look before she leaves. Well, at least he got something. He can already go home and sleep.

SEVENTEEN by scarlett

 

 

Kevin is tired. After a day of cleaning the pool with his brothers in the morning and dealing their dilemma over letting Audrey go with Philippe alone, he decided to call it a night. As he watched Nick drove off – probably going for a night out, he dialed the numbers back home. There were only two rings before somebody picked it up. “Hi, darling.”

“Kevin! I missed you, baby. How are you?” His wife, Kristin, asked on the other line.

Kevin sighed. He missed his wife. He wished that this five-month deal would be over so that he can go home and resume to his normal life. “I’m fine, baby. My brothers are annoying sometimes but I think they’re okay. And luckily, my sister is an angel. I wish you could meet her someday. I missed you too.”

“Oh, baby. Hush. Just think that we need the money to pay all the land taxes here. I’m glad that before you leave, we settled with the bank manager to give us the time to pay everything. I know it’s hard for you to swallow all your pride and get something from a father you really never knew, but we don’t have any choice.”

“You’re right, Kris.” Kevin replied. He closed his eyes as he lies on the bed. “How’s the little guy?” He asked, referring to their five-month old son.

“Koko is sleeping. He’s been a nice little bunch.” Kristin answered and Kevin can hint a smile on his wife’s face. He loves his wife and he really misses her so much. “I was staring at him earlier and noticed that he’s beginning to get that trademark from you – the large eyebrows.” Kristin chuckled. “And you should see his smile and his fingers hooking around mine. It’s just so wonderful, Kev. And his laugh whenever I blew him raspberries on the cheeks the way you did. I want to keep reminding him of you so when you get back, he will recognize you.”

Kevin groaned. “Oh, this is torture, Kristin. If only we have more money, I’m going to send you here to be with me.”

“But I insist to stay even though Atty. Kiefer suggested it. No one’s going to look after the land and Koko is so young that I don’t want to tire him out on a long journey to Paris.”

“I know. I missed you, baby.”

“I missed you too.” Kristin said. “Oh, I just remembered. Mr. Burns was murdered. I was shocked when I heard the news. We just talked to him about giving you an extension for the land before you left for Paris and the next thing I knew, he’s dead.”

“Huh?” Mr. Burns, the bank manager, is dead? What if the bank disregards his extension plea to pay the land tax? “What happened? He seemed to be a nice man.”

“I don’t know, Kev. They found him dead in his house. The investigators were thinking that someone had a grudge over him. I don’t know. You know, I began to worry now. He’s dead. What if the bank disregards our plea to extend on paying them?” Kristin’s voice grew worried.

Kevin closed his eyes. He wanted to punch the wall in frustration. “I’ll think of something, Kris.”

“You won’t borrow money from your brothers. I know you. You’re too proud for that. But Kev, this is your grandfather’s land…”

“Listen, Kris. I’m going to think of something, okay? For the meantime, just observe what’s happening there. If someone came from the bank, tell him or her that I’m with my brothers here in France but I’ll answer my debts to them.” He sighed. “I miss you, honey. Really. And I wish everything will be solved.”

“I hope so too, Kev. I love you.”

“I love you, too.”



~~~



Audrey heard footsteps down the hall as she went out of her room. Her date with Philippe turned out wonderfully fine. He wanted to ask her out again but he needs to get ready for a school project. She didn’t mind. Although she likes him, she thinks that she has to wait and be patient if things will go right between them. She and her brothers just got through another tiring day of bonding when Brian and AJ decided to make pies. AJ bought a new mixer, to everyone’s amusement. They spent half of the day in the kitchen. Just like the day when Kevin arrived, they got into another session with the flour and swam to the pool then. Audrey spent probably more than an hour cleaning her self up afterwards. It’s been a tiring day and all she wanted is to rest. But that would be later as she intends to do some exploration in the house first before retiring for the evening. They’ve been there for more than two months and she wanted to know every detail of the magnificent house.

The footsteps get louder and she hurriedly went inside the first door she saw to hide from whoever that is. She knew that if it’s any of her brothers, they tell her to go to sleep. They sometimes think that she’s still a kid and she hates it. She looked around the room she’s into and realized that she’s in a closet. A big closet.

“Who is it?”

Audrey gasped out aloud in surprise when she heard that voice. It was AJ. She walked further inside. “What are you doing here?” She found him squatting on a corner cabinet and looking for something.

“Just looking,” AJ replied. He smiled to her. “I just discovered this space yesterday and found some antique stuff in this cabinet, as well as some old books and magazines. In case you didn’t know, I have penchant for this old stuff. Tada!” He pulled out an almost worn-out book from the bottom of the cabinet and showed it to Audrey.

“What’s that?” Audrey sat beside him. “A geography book?”

“It’s fascinating. I was just reading about this yesterday and I saw pictures on the different theories on what the world used to look like before and how did it become divided into bigger and smaller islands.” AJ winked. Audrey patted him on the shoulders as she stood up and began looking around as well. She opened a cabinet on the other corner.

“Wow, this is amazing.”

“What did you find there?”

“It’s some camping stuff. I didn’t realize that Dad had these. Do you think it will be cool if we go camping?” Audrey excitedly takes out what she found inside the closet.

AJ rolled his eyes. “Whatever, Audrey.” He resumed to reading the book. “Why are you here anyway?”

“Nothing. I heard footsteps down the hall and I don’t want to deal with anyone right now. Nick went out again, to God-knows-where. The other guys were playing chess in the study. But assuming that if any one of the oldies saw me, they’ll tell me to go to bed.” She rolled her eyes.

“Boring,” AJ chuckled. “So, why are you here?” he asked again with a chuckled.

Audrey stopped from what she’s doing and looked at her brother. “You just annoy me sometimes, AJ.”



~~~



Brian watched as his siblings set up the camping gears that Audrey found in a closet some nights ago. It’s going to be three months since the first time he set foot here and he found that these people are not bad at all. And he realized that his father cared so much for him as his son. He remembered the words that Geoffrey said in his letter for him.


‘I love you so much and I will never forget you. I’m proud of what you’ve become, to the way you stand for what you believe in. In case you needed me for anything, I’m only a call away. I’m sorry that I wasn’t there for you when you grow up. But still, I wanted to be a father to you. Let me give you the chance to do what I can do for you as your father. I saw you from afar when you graduate from college and I’m a proud dad. My son chose a noble vocation to serve the children. You’re a gift to me and to your mother. I’m glad that you’ll be able to share your own blessings to others as well.’


Brian drew a deep breath as he stared at his hands. He knew his father but he only saw him probably five times since he’s young. He wanted to feel angry at that but his mother taught him not to. There are times that he wanted to blame Geoffrey for the trials he and his mother had faced. He wanted to be mad at him for making them struggle with their own life while his other son spent his money and doesn’t even care. Realizing that his father loved him, cared about him and even went to his college graduation meant a lot for him. This five-month experience with his siblings is something he’ll cherish. He may have hated their father, but Geoffrey gave him lessons in life he never thought he’d learn here in Chateau Cordell. His siblings taught him to appreciate life more and to stop finding fault in every thing. That’s probably why his students hated him and spoke a lot about him behind his back. He should be living up more of God’s teachings than just showing others that he’s a religious person. He should be more true to himself. His father would have wanted that. His father would have been prouder.

“Hey, PE teacher! Help us set up the camp.” AJ yelled.

“Get your ass over here,” Howie winked at him. Brian smiled and stood up. When he found peace after reading his father’s letter, he also found himself caring for these people. He walked over to help them.

EIGHTEEN by scarlett

 

 

Brian watched Kevin put rocks around the bonfire that they’re going to make. When they decided to go camping, they forgot about how cold to spent a night outside in France. They drove five miles towards some forest park where Nick said they could go camping. Ridiculous as it seems, everyone just agreed to Audrey’s camping idea. Subconsciously, they wanted to let their sister experience something out from what the boarding school is keeping from her. He saw Audrey snuggling closer to AJ. “Nick and Howie hasn’t arrived yet.” He noticed.

“They must be having a hard time catching fish.” Kevin replied. He started the fire. Brian noticed that the eldest one has been quiet lately. Something must have been bothering Kevin.

“Are you alright, Kev?” Brian asked.

Kevin turned to him. He started the fire and sits down opposite of them. “I haven’t told you that I already got a wife and son.”

“Wow.” AJ muttered. “I have a nephew? And with that kind of eyebrows? Cool!”

Brian stared at Kevin’s eyebrows and chuckled. “How long have you been married?”

“Three years. My son is only five-months old. I told Atty. Kiefer that I tell you personally about my status. I’d like to introduce my family to you someday.” Kevin drew a deep breath. Something is still bothering him, Brian thought. “We call my son Koko, just a nickname though. His name’s like mine. Kristin wanted a junior.” Kevin added. “How about you, Brian? Tell us something about your fiancée.”

“Well, she’s a great woman. I met her in a bookstore that her family owns in town. Her name’s Leighanne. When she learned that I got siblings on my father’s side, she wanted to meet you. She’s the one who encouraged me to agree on this term by our father. She wanted me to form a bond with you because she thinks that family is very important. It’s one of the priceless treasures you can have for life.” Brian smiled at Audrey.

“Well, I wanted that too when I agreed on this,” AJ seconded. “Being the only child is lonely. Money is not everything. Mom taught me the real happiness. As cheesy as it may seem, I found happiness and peace with you.” Audrey grinned at that and snuggled closer to him.

“Well,” Kevin paused when they heard Howie and Nick. They are arguing. Nick can never last long with anyone without having an argument. He’s always on a fight with anyone of them. They saw the two arrived. Howie is holding the string where two fishes were hanging on it.

“No. I was not planning to take the bar.” Nick said and dropped himself to the ground.

Howie smack the back of Nick’s head. “Atontado.” He added as Kevin took the fish from him to start cooking.

AJ smirked at Howie’s exclamation. “Why?”

“He finished law but doesn’t intend to become a lawyer.” Howie muttered a few Spanish expletives. AJ laughed. Nick glared at them.

“That’s just a waste, Nick.” Kevin said, seconded by Brian. He continued what he’s doing with the fishes and put them over the fire. “You seemed smart but you don’t know what to do with it.”

Nick rolled his eyes. He just told Howie about not having plans of becoming a full-pledged lawyer – before. He used the word ‘was’. Obviously, the little man with the curly hair didn’t catch that word. After reading his father’s letter, he intends to take up bar exams once he gets back to LA. His father inspired him to pursue the career in law. He wanted to do it. He glanced at Brian who continued lecturing him after Kevin finished with his own piece. Brothers!

“You should not take things for granted, Nick. You’re so fortunate to even go to college and finish a degree. Take time to think about what you want to do with your life now than going out in some clubs, or getting drunk or even getting into trouble with the authorities.” Brian said.

“You’re wasting your life, Nick.” Howie seconded. “If our father didn’t do anything to make you good, we will. You have to learn and grow up. You’re so immature. You have to plan something for your life by now. Money isn’t everything. Be a lawyer, get a decent job – probably save the world, get a decent and respectable woman and marry her. That’s how life should be for you. You’re one lucky bastard, didn’t you know that?”

Nick didn’t say anything. He just stared at the fire and let them talk all they want. They’re right anyway. He doesn’t have any plans on what he really wanted to be in life. All he wanted was attention, most especially from their father. Now that he’s gone, his brothers are trying to instill life plans for him. He realized that these people cared for him and he felt good. He longed for this kind of belongingness. But he wasn’t going to admit it to them.

“Okay, stop it.” AJ shakes his head. “The three of you, loosen up, okay? I’ve known Nick for almost all my life and I think that whatever he’s done in the past, he can make up for anything in the future. I understand what he’s gone through although I admit that he had wrong decisions then. But hey, let’s give him a chance. He’s done with college. I’m sure that he had plans, somehow.” He looked at Nick. “After all, I still believe he’s a nice kid.”

Nick met AJ’s look. “You do?” His brother nodded. He looked down on the ground. “Thanks. That’s the nicest thing that any one had ever said to me.” They all fell silent with that.

“I think you’re okay, too, Nick.” Audrey said. “Growing up with you as my brother, you’re a kind person. And I’m proud of you. I want to see what you do with your own chance.”

Nick smiled at his sister. He looked up when he received a pat on the shoulder. “Hey, I know what atontado means.” He told Howie. His brother chuckled.

“Sorry about that. Anyway, I’m giving you a chance, Nick. I’m just here.” Kevin and Brian nodded from Howie’s statement as well.

“Okay, enough of the melodrama. And why did you only got two fish? We’re six. That’s not enough.” AJ complained.

“Maybe you should try it tomorrow, AJ. It’s not easy to catch fish. Let’s see how many you can catch.” Nick gave him a challenge. He takes his bag and opens it. “For the meantime, I got chips.”

“Yeah, right.” Brian chuckled. He took his bag and showed everyone two cans of pork and beans. “Nick, this is what we’re going to eat tonight not chips.” He stands up and gets the small pan they’ve brought. “Now, we’re solved.” Nick watched the older ones prepared their food. They knew a lot about dealing with life. He wanted that kind of confidence, that kind of independence and knowledge that in life, he can get through anything even without the influence of his name, money or power. He began to admire and respect this people, his brothers.

Nick slowly smiled. This is probably one of his father's purposes of bonding them together as a family, making them see the importance of having each other.

“How about you, AJ? What’s your purpose here?” Kevin asked the tattooed one who is now busy teasing Audrey about the guy she last dated, Philippe.

AJ turned to them. “Well, at first I just wanted to taunt Nick’s patience because before we came here, he and I just had a fight in a bar.” He smirked. “But as a businessman, I wanted to use whatever I’ll get here to invest on something. How about you?”

“Well,” Kevin checked the fish first before continuing. “I inherited a land from my grandfather and that’s what keeps me busy for a long time now. Me and my wife takes care of whatever we planted then sell it to the market. I want to use the money I’ll get here to pay land tax.”

“Wife?” Nick and Howie almost said at the same time.

“Yeah, and a five-month-old son, too,” Brian smiled.

Kevin nodded. “As I’ve told these people earlier, I wanted to tell you myself about my family. They were supposed to come here with me but Koko is too young to travel.”

“Koko? That’s your son’s name?” Nick asked. Audrey smacked his head. “Hey!” He’s about to retaliate when AJ did the same too.

“That’s a nickname. That can be yours, considering you’re Nickolas,” Audrey rolled her eyes.

The three older men can only shake their head at these younger three. “Anyway, the same motive like AJ goes with me too.” Howie told them. They turned to Brian.

“My mom is sick and I need money to give her enough medical attention.” Brian simply said. “Audrey?”

“I never had plans. I just wanted to go on vacation in Paris and meet my other brothers.”

Nick, whose head bowed down to the ground, felt their looks upon him. He looked up and he’s right. “Well,” he drew a deep breath, “I admit that I just agreed to come here because I wanted to show you who have more right in Dad’s assets. But I guess that’s not really his plans when he put this on his will. I’ve come to realize that there are important things to learn here than just be a snob and arrogant and show that you don’t deserve any of Dad’s wealth. I’m a bad ass; you all know that. And I’m sorry.” He looks down again. There, he said it.

He received a pat on the shoulder. He looked up and saw everyone in front of him. “You were, Nick, but we’re glad that you realized that now and you seemed willing to change for the best.” Kevin said. He hugged his brother.

“Thanks.” Nick smiled. He appreciated their hugs and their support. He looked at AJ who gave him a thumbs-up sign. This is the best experience of his life.


NINETEEN by scarlett

 

 

“There he is,” AJ told his siblings after a long walk to find the restaurant where Nick usually went. “I spotted him there once, reading a French newspaper.”

Brian smirked while Howie amusingly shakes his head. Nick never ceases to surprise them. “French newspaper?” Kevin curiously looked to where Nick is. “He’s a special child, isn’t he?”

Audrey laughed aloud. Her brothers quickly shushed her. Oops.

“What makes him go there every night?” Howie asked. They stood at the sidewalk as they watched Nick across the street doing something on a piece of paper. A waiter came and gave him his orders. They chatted for a while. They seemed to know each other well. After the waiter left, Nick looked at someone and smiled. They searched to know who it is and saw a woman exchanging smiles with Nick.

“That’s Sophia. What a small world!” Howie exclaimed. His siblings turned to him. “What? I know her. She’s my cousin!”



~~~



Everyone pretended to be busy when Nick arrived around eleven in the evening. He’s carrying a newspaper once again which made them wonder before why he always have a copy after going out in the evening. After Howie told them about Sophia LaCrouix, they now understand.

“Fuck,” AJ muttered when he couldn’t think of any word to put in the scrabble. He’s just pretending to play with Audrey and Brian but he also wanted to win. Nick smirked behind him and picked up his tiles to put on the board. Booger. Triple word score.

They laughed. “Thanks, Nick.” AJ said as he notes down his score.

“What’s that?” Audrey feigned innocence as she asks Nick.

“Newspaper,” Nick started towards the grand staircase. He didn’t notice them looking at each other.

“Are you seeing someone, Nick?” AJ turned to ask. He received a couple of tiles thrown his way. They agreed never to bring up the topic. They wanted to observe him. Audrey told them that he never had a hard time in dealing with women that’s why he dated a lot in LA. But seeing his shy nature last night made them all curious. There must be something special with Howie’s cousin.

AJ glared at them then turned to Nick who stopped in his tracks. “No. What made you say that?” he asked AJ.

AJ shrugged. “No, it’s nothing. I’m just thinking about a friend of mine who really likes you. She lives in Beverly Hills. She’s been telling me a lot about you seeing in the clubs. Of course, she didn’t know that you’re my brother. I didn’t tell her.”

“Oh, so how’s she?”

Howie raised an eyebrow. How’s she? What kind of question is that? He continued playing chess with Kevin as he moved his rookie.

“Well, just to make it short, she’s hot. I’ll introduce you to her when we get back to the states.”

“Well…” Nick paused thoughtfully. “Actually, I’m not interested, AJ. Thanks anyway.” His statement made Audrey turn to him.

“Really? Are you gay?” AJ pressed on. Surprisingly enough, Nick didn’t get mad at that question.

“No. Of course not!” He just quickly replied. “I’ve decided to take the bar first and become a lawyer.” Now, everyone’s looking at him. “And then at the same time, probably, get a hold on Dad’s business.”

“Are you feeling well, Nick?” Brian asked him.

“Uh, yeah. Why did you ask?” Nick had this innocent look on his face. He looked so serious.

“We’re just glad you’re pursuing your career,” Kevin replied and stood up. “Okay, sleeping time.” Audrey rolled her eyes. Kevin had this habit to tell them what to do. She stood up and went to Nick, surprising her brother when she hugged him.

“Hey…” Nick chuckled and hugged his sister back. “What’s going on, guys? Do you love me now? You hate me, remember?” After their camping, their relationship as siblings becomes smooth. He only received weird looks from his brothers as they turned to leave.



~~~



“Over here!” AJ yelled and strike a pose when Audrey focused her camera to him. They went to the Eiffel Tower and began taking pictures after they come back down from the tower. Kevin and Brian only watched. They couldn’t have enough fun since both were thinking about home and the people they left behind. They wished that their own family were with them to share the moments while in Paris. They watched as Nick takes the camera from Audrey and told her to pose with AJ and Howie. He called for Kevin and Brian too.

“Join them.” He says.

Kevin and Brian didn’t say anything and joined the others. Soon enough, they had fun with the camera and with the places that people often looked at the siblings in amusement. They even asked random strangers to take pictures of them all together. There’s one shot where they carried Audrey in their arms. There’s also one when AJ tripped and Howie caught it on a picture. They just made crazy things in the morning and by noon, they found themselves pushing the car because it won’t start.

Howie kept on laughing at the situation they had. He never felt so happy like this before and he actually enjoyed being with them. He left Puerto Rico with a heavy heart after some recent personal events. These people made him smile again.

“Audrey, start the car!” Nick snickered when Audrey didn’t know what to do anymore. Kevin is sitting beside her inside and pressuring her. “Audrey’s having a hard time with Kevin.” They chuckled. Actually, they can leave the car and find a cab to go home. But Kevin still believes that the car will start.

Just when they pushed again, Brian let out a disturbing fart. “Oh man. You chose the best moment to let out some air!” Howie exclaimed. AJ and Nick laughed. They are now just standing behind the car, their nose covered. Kevin went out of the car towards them. He stopped when he smelled the bad odor.

“Who farted?” Kevin chuckled. Everyone pointed to Brian who only gave him an innocent look before laughing too.

“What’s going on?” Audrey went out then stopped. “Oh, man! Who’s the culprit?” They all pointed to Brian.

“Hey, I’m hungry. Let’s eat first.” AJ said. Others agreed. Audrey steered the car towards the sidewalk with their help and they started walking to find some good place to eat. They found a cozy outdoor restaurant and chose to sit together in two tables they joined to accommodate them. As they wait for their orders, they began talking about the fun they had at the Eiffel Tower. Howie, on the other hand, began talking business with AJ and began planning to start a new one with all of them as major owners. Soon, the others joined in the conversation.

“You want a pink pair?” AJ smirked to Audrey, pertaining to office uniforms.

Howie chuckled and looked around. His wandering eyes stopped at a woman across the street. She is facing her back to him as she looks at the displayed item in a boutique. Howie can recognize that long curly black hair anywhere. “Cixi…” His heartbeat raced and stood up; eyes never wavered to the woman. His siblings turned to him in wonder. They even get more curious when without a word he leaves them and crosses the street towards somewhere they don’t know.


TWENTY by scarlett

 

 

“Cixi…”

Howie bit his lower lip as the woman turned. She was surprised when she saw him. “Howie? What are you doing here in Paris? Are you following me?”

“If I know that you’re here, I would. I’m here with my siblings. It’s a long story.” He drew a deep breath. “Why?”

“I’m sorry, Howie. I just can’t be with you anymore.” Cixi turned to leave but Howie stopped her when he held her arm. His siblings only watched what’s going on across the street.

“Is she his ex-girlfriend? Nice choice.” AJ nodded in approval. Others only watched what’s going on.

Howie asked her again. “Why?”

Cixi looked around and he wondered why. And she seemed so afraid of something, or probably someone. Howie stepped closer. His jaws clenched. “Is it my mom?” He saw the answer in her eyes. His mother is a famous political icon. Lucia Dorough may no longer be holding a senatorial seat but her influence in the country still goes on. And it only doesn’t stop in politics. She tried to meddle with her only child’s affairs which angered Howie. And it angered him more that she must have threatened the only woman he loves. “Cixi, you know that I’ll take care of you.”

“But you don’t understand my situation. I’m the breadwinner of my family. My father works in a construction company, my mom is a dressmaker and I have an autistic sister. I can’t afford to risk my family in exchange for you. I can’t, not now…” Cixi struggled to let go of herself from him. “I’m sorry.”

“I love you, Cixi.”

Cixi blinked back the tears. “I love you, too. But maybe someday, somewhere, we can be together. Goodbye.” Howie watched her go. It frustrated him when she didn’t make it on their wedding day. He doesn’t care if he looked like a fool and everyone made a good laugh out of it. He’s more worried on where Cixi has gone. He ignored the fact that it might be his mother’s fault. He was in denial and that’s why he couldn’t protect Cixi from her. He lost his trust to his mother when he overheard her talking with her business colleagues about some business they wanted to take over, not minding if it will affect many people’s lives. He found out about his mother’s hunger to power but he never found out about her involvement on threatening Cixi until now.

Howie glanced at his brothers and sister, in whom he caught were looking at him. He nodded and waved to them before going off for a walk.

“Should someone from us follow him?” Nick asked them.

“Let’s give him time alone.” Kevin said, looking up when their orders arrived. Their happy mood was lost. They began to eat in silence.



~~~



Howie’s particular aim in life is to be like his father, having businesses and earning a lot of money. He wanted to be rich, powerful and successful. He wanted to have everything he wanted. Being the son of an influential former Senator was a big plus for him because he can use it for his personal motives. He took every opportunity to have a share from his mother’s power and he wanted more. But when he fell in love with a simple waitress, he knew his life has changed. He took 360 degrees turn and his perspective changed. He just wanted to be with Cixi. He only wanted to give her anything that will make her happy. He doesn’t care if his mother didn’t approve of her. He asked her to marry him and she did because she loves him, too. But as it happened, they didn’t have a happy ending.

This experience with his siblings brought him to a new perspective of being rich, powerful and successful. He thought he could have it all. He thought that he could be happy with having those things. But living with them made him realized the truth towards happiness and contentment, the way to love completely and without conviction, and the choice to pursue what he really wants and not according to the dictation of his mother. Furthermore, his father’s letter served as a wake up call for him.


‘I followed the footsteps of my father hoping to become like him, rich and powerful. But I realized that having sons like you is more fulfilling than closing a business deal. Having you is everything compared to what I can do in my businesses. I heard what happened to your supposed-to-be wedding. I heard that she is a wonderful woman and I hope you’ll find her soon. You deserve all the happiness you can get. Don’t make the same mistakes that I did. I didn’t get to do what I really want. You, on the other hand, are still young. You still have a lot of chance to choose what truly makes you happy and without the influence of your mother. I know you’ll make it through. I love you, Howie…’


“Hey.”

Howie’s thoughts were interrupted when he looked up and saw Kevin. His brother brought along a bottle of whisky and sits beside him. He didn’t reject the offer when Kevin gave him one glass with it. “We managed to get the car home, after a few more farts from Brian and complaints from AJ and Nick.” Kevin started. He received a chuckle from his companion. They are at the gazebo. The night is still young and stars are all up in the sky. Nick went out, probably to see Sophia from afar again. AJ, Brian and Audrey are watching some movies with Philippe, who dropped by to see their sister. They began to think that the medical student is serious with Audrey so they started to put up their guards and didn’t allow them to go out in just short notice. Audrey didn’t complain on that. She’s tired from their excursion earlier. She appreciates that Philippe understands.

“I had fun earlier.” Howie told him.

“So do I.” Kevin takes a taste of his whisky. They grew silent for a while. “I’m planning to enter a flying school once I get back home and paid all the land taxes I owed the bank.” He said to break the silence. He needs to keep it going and get Howie to speak up, somehow.

“That’s great, Kev.”

“How about you?”

Howie drew a deep breath. “I don’t know.” He takes his whisky. After a few moments, he continued. “I’ve been selfish and a crude businessman. I just thought about myself, on how to be powerful and rich. It’s one of the reason that even though she accepted and loved me, she couldn’t now bear the thought of being with me.” He continued with his whisky and once he emptied his glass, poured another one. There was silence again. Kevin didn’t say anything. He only listened.

“You know, we were supposed to get married. But on the day that I’m already at the church, she never showed up. She left without a trace. I looked for her and never found her…until this afternoon.” Howie looked down.

“Why?” Kevin quietly asked.

“Why?” Howie sighed. “My mom threatened her. She must have said that she’ll destroy Cixi’s chances to make a better life for her family. Cixi worked hard for her family. They weren’t rich but they’re decent and I love that family. I still supported them even though the marriage didn’t push through. I wanted to help them. I’ve grown to love them as much as I love Cixi.”

So, that’s the story, Kevin thought. Their other siblings were itching to know what happened but they guessed that Howie wouldn’t open up that easy so Kevin volunteered to make a way. “What happens now?”

There’s a long pause after that. Howie takes another swig of his whisky and pours some again. “She said that maybe some time, somewhere we can be together. I love her, Kevin, but I let go of the chance to be with her again. I let go of her.” He wipes the tear that fell down his face. “Maybe because I still have to find what I really want. I haven’t thought about that much. Now I did, hours after I saw her again. I wanted her back and nothing, not even my mother, will stand in my way.”


TWENTY ONE by scarlett

 

 

Brian waited for someone to pick up the phone when he decided to call home. He wanted to hear his mother’s voice and most importantly, Leighanne’s. He missed his girlfriend and he wanted to know what’s going on there lately. After seemingly a long time, someone answered.

“Hello?”

“Brian! Thank goodness you called!” It’s Leighanne.

“Why? Is there a problem?” Brian’s heart started to beat faster. He wasn’t expecting for anything and he hoped it wasn’t anything worst. His siblings turned to him when they heard him raised his voice in utmost concern. They watched him walked towards the other end of the pool area to talk with his girlfriend.

“Your mom’s at the hospital. She had a heart attack yesterday. She wanted you home.” Leighanne replied on the other line. Brian nearly dropped the phone when he heard that. He blinked back the tears.

When it comes to his mother or with Leighanne, he never hesitated to do something that came first to his mind. “Alright, I’m going home. I’ll catch the first flight out of here.” That’s it. No regrets. It’s the final decision.

“But your inheritance, Brian. You need it too. Your mother is thinking about it, too.”

“To hell with it, Leighanne. I’m going back to see my mom. Tell her I’m going home. I don’t care about my inheritance if I won’t see my mom. Goodbye. I love you.” Brian ended the call. He turned and saw his siblings looking at him. He announced his decision immediately. “I’m going home.”

They gasped at his sudden announcement. They all stood up. “Why? Is there something wrong?” Kevin asks.

“My mom’s at the hospital. I need to be there immediately. She needs me.” Brian quietly replied. He smiled weakly. “I don’t have any choice. I have to go and see how Mom’s doing."

“What about your inheritance? You’ll receive nothing and you need it.” Howie said.

He shakes his head. “I guess that’s just the way it is. My mom is more important to me. Excuse me, I have to pack.” He went inside. The others were left deep in their thoughts. Nick then, stood up and went inside. Soon enough, AJ followed his brother.



~~~



“Mom, you have to do this. Please,” Nick told his mother on the other line. He watched as the car went out of the estate. Howie is the one driving, taking Brian to the airport. Kevin and the others also went with them. He is the only left in Chateau Cordell. He hates to see Brian go. For more than three months, he found his family with them. He started to care for them too and Brain needs the money for his financial problems.

“Okay. This will mean that you won’t be buying the house you want, Nick.” Barbra told her son.

“I don’t care, Mom. I got houses in Malibu and Bahamas anyway. That’s enough for me.”

There was pause on the other line after he said that. “Nick? Is that you talking?”

“Uh, yeah. Why, Mom?”

Barbra smiled as she nodded to her secretary after she finished signing some documents in front of her. “Well, you sound different. Whatever it is that you’re doing in France with your brothers, I hope you find time to reevaluate your life. I love you, Nick. You’re just a little naughty bad boy sometimes.”

“Mom…” Nick sighed. He sits on the chair.

“What? I have to say what I have to say. Alright? I’ll do what you ask of me. Goodbye, honey. Say hello to Audrey for me.” His mother blew kisses and hung up on him.



~~~



Everyone was wondering what’s going on when they arrived from the airport. Brian luckily found a flight back to the US. For the last time, Brian used his allowance to buy plane tickets, specifically first-class. They tried to joke around as they waited for his boarding time. Anything, just to temporarily ease Brian’s worry over his mother. And since they couldn’t spend their monetary allowance for other people or to en-cash it for their personal needs back home, they found several ways to spend his money, even buying gifts he’ll bring home instead. Now that they’re back in Chateau Cordell, they wondered why there are two black Range Rovers in front of the big house. Nick and Oscar were outside and talking with three men in black suits. They turned when the car stopped.

“What’s going on?” Kevin asked when he got out.

Nick bit his lower lip when he looked at his eldest brother. He seemed nervous as he runs his fingers through his hair. “Kevin, these are the FBI. They’re looking for you.”

“Huh?” Kevin looked in question. He shook hands with them. “I’m Kevin Richardson. What can I do for you?”

“I’m Lieutenant Pete Moore. We came here to ask you a few questions about the murder of Norman Burns. We were told that you spoke with him before you went here.” One of the men in suits said.

Kevin nodded in understanding. “Let’s take this inside.” He motioned for the butler to assist him in accommodating the FBI. He turned when Howie called him.

“Is everything alright?” Howie asked.

Kevin turned instead to Nick. “Did the FBI tell you about what happened and their purpose?” The younger man nodded. “Explain it to them. I need to speak with these guys for now and I’ll get back on you for more answers.”

“No, Kev.” It was AJ. Kevin stopped and turned to him. “We’re not going to let you face them alone. It may not be something serious but we’ll stick with you. Right, guys?” The others agreed.

“Give me the chance to practice my legal knowledge.” Nick added. “We’ll be just right here, Kev.”

“We insist.” Howie said. Audrey nodded. Kevin looked at each one of them. He appreciated their commitment to back him up but he needed to face this alone.

“Thanks but no. I need to face this alone.” He said. With that, he went inside the house. He didn’t give them the chance to say anything more. Oscar ushered the visitors in the Sitting Room and he went straight there. “I spoke with Mr. Burns to plead an extension in paying my land taxes.” He started without preamble. He takes a seat across them. He noticed their look of wonder around the magnificent room.

The other one, who spoke with him earlier, is taking notes. The two other FBI made introductions namely, Sgt. Forbes Judd and Agent Bill Osmond. “Some employees at the bank heard that you were arguing with him before.” Lt. Moore said.

“It’s not actually an argument that we had. I went to the bank at that time, before I left to go here, to check if how much I still owe them because as far as I knew, my mother paid the land taxes and we only have a little balance left to pay. I was surprised to receive a notice from the bank regarding the same amount that my mother had already paid. Mr. Burns and I had a debate over the matter but in the end, we agreed that I‘d pay for what would be the remainder while he go over his books to refer to the receipts that I have in my possession. I promised him that I’ll pay the remaining balance of my debts after five months, after I’m done here.”

Lt. Moore nodded. Sgt. Judd cleared his throat. “May we ask your purpose of travel here, Mr. Richardson?”

“It’s a family matter, sir. I’m staying with my brothers and sister after the death of our father.” Kevin replied. They turned when the door opened. His three brothers and sister came inside. He didn’t say anything more. These kids won’t give up.

“Oh, Nick Carter is your brother. That means, your Geoffrey Carter’s children?” Agent Bill Osmond said.

Lt. Moore glared at his colleague. “Anyway, we have an order to take you back home while the case is still going on.” He said. “This is not an arrest. It’s only an order released by the judge.”

“In short, you’re considering Kevin as one of the suspects.” Howie said. “That’s insane. Atontado.” He muttered.

Nick placed a hand on Howie’s arm to stop him. “Where’s your document?” The FBI showed them the order. Nick sighed.

Kevin felt himself trembling. He never had problems with the authorities before and this scares him. But he tried not to show everyone. He’ll never get his inheritance now that he had to leave Chateau Cordell too. He will never get the money to pay the land taxes and he doesn’t want to lose it. He drew a deep breath. The only good that will happen here is that he will be seeing his wife and son again. He stood up. “I’ll go and pack my things.”

“Kev…” Audrey bit her lower lip.

“It’s alright, Audrey. I’ll see you again, okay? I want you to meet Koko.” He excused himself from them and went upstairs to get his things.


TWENTY TWO by scarlett

 

 

Nick stared at his food and glanced around. No one’s touching their food either. He sighed. The seat beside him is empty, as well as the one at the head of the table. It gets lonely now that they’re not complete. “They needed the money more than us,” he quietly said. Kevin left the estate that afternoon with the FBI and he’s probably on his flight back home too. Nick never thought he’d miss the older guys. They’ve become a part of his life now and knowing that they’re in dilemma now, he felt that he needed to do something as their brother.

“Yes. I needed the money to start my own business too but hey, their reasons are more important than mine.” Howie stated. He shakes his head.

“I’ve sent my lawyer to check on how much Kevin owes the bank. He’ll call me later and I think, I’ll help him for now. He needs us, guys.” AJ said. Audrey is silent.

“Well, I called my mom earlier,” Nick said. Audrey looked up when he mentioned it. “I told her to talk with my accountant to get some money for Brian. I’d like to help too.”

“I knew some great lawyers who can represent Kevin. I’ll call them and ask them to go to Kentucky for Kevin.” Howie immediately takes out his phone and punched numbers. He excused and went out of the dining room.

“It feels so lonely that Kevin and Brian aren’t here,” Audrey said in a sad voice. “I want to go home too. Can we?”

Nick turned to AJ in question. “Why me?” AJ asks.

“Because you’re older than us. We’re asking for your opinion.” Nick replied. AJ earned Nick’s respect when he saw how his brother cares for their sister, Audrey, and for his admission that Nick can have the chance to do his best in whatever he wanted to be. Nick looked up to him as one of his older brothers, not just some random guy he fought with at a club in LA.

AJ, on the other hand, felt touched by Nick and Audrey’s respect to him as their older brother. “I, uh,” he smiled weakly, “in my opinion, I wanted to leave and go home too. I want to check on how Brian is doing and what to do on Kevin’s case. We just can’t let them face the ordeal alone. We’re family.”

Nick nodded. “I think so, too.”

Howie went back the dining room. “My lawyer will fly today to Kentucky to help Kevin. What’s going on?” He noticed that the three didn’t eat and are now standing to leave the dining hall.

“Are you with us?” Audrey asked him.

“Yes. Why?”

“We’re leaving Chateau Cordell. We need to help our brothers.” Nick said. He turned to AJ. “By the way, if you need money for investment, you can borrow from me.” He turned to Howie. “Same to you, too.”

“I don’t care if I can’t get any money. I want to help Brian and Kevin too. To hell with Dad’s codicil,” they chuckled. Howie nodded. “Come on. Let’s pack up.”



~~~



Barbra looked up when her secretary admitted Atty. Kiefer inside her office. “Hello, attorney.” She smiled.

Atty. Kiefer smiled. “Good morning, Mrs. Carter. Did your son already dropped by here?”

“No. He’s in Paris.”

“He’s not. Oscar, the butler in Chateau Cordell, called earlier to inform me what happened. I lost contact in these past months because I lost my phone and my house was robbed.” Atty. Kiefer sits on one of the chair when Barbra requested him to.

“Oh, are you alright now?”

“I’m fine. My insurance took care of everything.” Atty. Kiefer replied. “Apparently, the kids got along well with each other. That’s what you and Geoffrey wanted, right?” They smiled. “But just a few days ago, Brian received the news that his mother is in the hospital while Kevin was visited by some FBI agents for a murder case of some bank manager in his hometown.”

“Oh no.” Barbra shakes her head. “I think that’s the reason why Nick called me to withdraw something from his money and send over to Brian’s mother.”

“He did?” Atty. Kiefer thought for a moment. “Well, if everything’s settled with them, I’ll call everyone for the reading of the second will.”

“But they didn’t finish the five-month period in Paris. Surely, they deserve something especially Kevin and Brian.” Barbra’s face grew concerned. “Can you do something?”

“You’ll see, Ma’am. You have to be present on that day, too.” Atty. Kiefer bid his farewells.

TWENTY THREE by scarlett

 

 

Brian walked down the hall of the school where he is working as a PE teacher. A couple of high school students greeted him and he only nodded in reply. He needs to go back to the hospital now to check his mother again. It’s been three days since he got back from Paris. His hometown seemed to have changed while he’s gone. The kids were friendlier to him than before. And he’s surprised that their friends helped in taking care of his mother through Leighanne.

He saw his girlfriend outside the school. When Leighanne saw him, she gave him that sweet smile of hers. Brian started towards her and together, they made their way towards the hospital that is only three blocks away from school.

“Thank you so much, Leigh.” Brian quietly said. He’s holding her hand. She gripped it tighter.

“I’m with you in every step of the way, Brian.” Leighanne looked up to him. Then she takes something out of her bag. “I dropped by earlier before going to the bookstore. The nurse informed me that somebody came to pay the bills and even paid more for the other medical expenses that your mother might need.”

Brian stopped walking. There’s just one thing in his mind on who did it. Leighanne voiced out his thoughts. “Do you think it’s probably your brothers?”

“Do they cared that much to me?” He asked in reply. They resumed walking.

“Why not? Based on your stories, they seemed to be good people after all. Sure, you didn’t get along well at the start but through the passing months, you found something likeable from them.”

Brian didn’t say anything. His first thoughts were on how to pay his brothers. He knew that when he left Chateau Cordell, he would never get his inheritance from his father. He needed the money but he doesn’t have any choice now. His mother is more important than any money he can get. He turned when Leighanne sighed. “Is there anything wrong, Leigh?”

Leighanne shakes her head. “Nothing’s wrong. I’m just wondering about how we can pay our debts.”

“It’s my debts, don’t worry about it.” He leaned to kiss her. “God will bless us. There will be a way.”

Leighanne hugged him. “I love you, Brian. I’m almost your wife now and I share everything with you. We’ll get through this together. Not only you, but also me.” They started towards the hospital. Brian’s mother is sleeping when they got there and so, they went to the nurses’ station to inquire about the bills.

“May I see the copy of the receipt?” Brian asked. They gave his request and he didn’t recognize the person who signed to pay it. “It must be any of their accountants.” He shrugged to Leighanne. “I’ll pay them.” His girlfriend nodded.

“There’s no need for that.”

Both turned and saw three men and a young lady standing nearby. Brian smiled shyly. “Thank you for your help.” He went to hug each of his siblings and introduced Leighanne.

“Atty. Kiefer called for us to be in LA on Friday. Is that okay with you?” Nick told him.

“Uh,” Brian glanced at Leighanne.

“It’s alright, Brian. I’ll take care of your mom. Is he going to be away for long?” Leighanne asks Brian’s brothers.

Howie shakes his head. “The private plane will bring him back here after the meeting.”

“And Kevin?” Brian thought of the older one. Howie informed him what happened to Kevin. He is worried that their brother may go to jail even though he’s innocent. But Howie assured him that he already sent a topnotch lawyer to defend on Kevin’s case.

“We’ll go there later.” Audrey replied. Her eyes twinkled. She’s still the picture of innocence as her brothers surrounded her.

“How about you? What happened to your Philippe?” Brian chuckled. The others groaned. “What? He followed her?” That would be incredible. After a couple of visits to her in Chateau Cordell, he saw a hint of clear intentions from the young man. And to think that Philippe studied English to be able to communicate with their sister, Brian thinks he is serious over her.

“Don’t remind her of Philippe. The two have been sending each other text messages ever since she came back here,” Nick now frowned.

Brian raised an eyebrow and turned to Howie. “And you? How are you?”

“What about me?” Howie smiled. When they gave him a look, he drew a deep breath. “I’m going to find Cixi again and will ask her to marry me.”

“Sure, you will.” AJ muttered. “You should have done that when you met her. Anyway, is your mother awake?” he asks Brian. “We’d like to meet her.”



~~~



Kevin glanced at Kristin and Koko and smiled. He puts down the last sack of corn he harvested inside the barn and went out to see his family again. Kristin is in the front porch with their child. The fading glow of the sunlight as it served as a backdrop in the afternoon glow touched her face. He felt warmth all over as he looked at his family and the future he is looking forward with them.

“Daddy’s here,” Kristin told Koko as the little one makes excited noises. “He’s looking for you.” She told her husband when Kevin reached them. Koko extended his arms to his Daddy.

Kevin takes Koko in his arms. “Hello, big boy. Wow, he’s heavy.” He smiled to Kristin.

“He is. We ran out of milk again. This boy is growing so fast,” she laughed. She affectionately wipes her husband’s forehead then takes back Koko from him. “Go and clean up, then go to town to buy milk.”

“Yes, ma’am.” Kevin kissed her lightly on the lips then went inside the house. Kristin drew a deep breath when she’s now alone with Koko. Glancing at the widespread of land that Kevin inherited, they are now facing a dilemma on how to pay the taxes to keep it with them. Kevin’s brother, Howie, sent a very good lawyer who brought out Kevin’s innocence and discharged him off the case. Kevin heaved a sigh of relief after that but they knew that their problems are not over yet. When he left Chateau Cordell without completing the five-month period according to the codicil, he lost the chance to get his inheritance. Kristin thought of applying for work to help her husband but Kevin doesn’t want her to. Koko is still young and they both didn’t want other people to take care of Koko either.

Kristin turned when she heard a noise and she saw a red SUV entering their property. Three men and a young woman went out and gave her a smile. “We’re Kevin’s siblings,” the blonde man said. He started introducing himself as Nick and introduced the rest as well. “You must be Kristin.”

“And Koko.” Audrey excitedly smiled.

“Yes, I’m Kristin and this is Koko. It’s nice to meet you. Kevin is in the house. Come on in.” When they got into the porch, they curiously looked at her baby and starting talking with him. Kristin had to laugh. Kevin’s siblings are very excited to see their nephew. She let Audrey carry Koko.

“Who has come, Kristin? I heard noises.” Kevin went out and saw them. He smiled and happily hugged each of them. “I see you met Koko. Watch out, Audrey. That little guy is heavy.”

“I didn’t know he could be this cute and chubby!” Audrey kissed the baby’s forehead and gave him to Howie when he asked for Koko. The little one’s eyes widened at the people who are surrounding him. He didn’t cry but he stared at them as if trying to memorize their faces.

“So what brings you here?” Kevin turned to the men.

“Atty. Kiefer called for everyone to be in LA on Friday.” AJ replied. “We came here to take you with us. Don’t worry. There’s a private plane and Koko had everyone to take care of him.”

Kevin and Kristin looked at each other then he turned back to his brothers. “I want to thank you for the help you’ve given me. James is a great lawyer.” He gripped his wife’s hand. “And we will go with you in LA. We need family outings once in a while, don’t we?”

They nodded with a smile. “Uh, about your taxes, we’re thinking about lending you some…” Nick bit his lower lip. He didn’t know how to put it mildly without hurting Kevin’s pride but he really wanted to help his brother.

“Please, let us, Kev…” Audrey said, too.

Kevin looked at the youngest two. “It may take long for me to pay you, guys. I don’t think –“

“It’s rather us than other people, Kev. We’re your family.” Howie told him. “And seeing this land that you own,” he glanced around, “I don’t want you to lose this. It doesn’t matter if it takes forty years. This land is a treasure in your family.”

Kevin nodded. “Thanks,” He quickly wipes away his tears. His brothers teased him. “Oh, stop it.” He chuckled. “Come inside. My wife made brownies earlier. I think there’s still some left.” He took Koko from Howie. "Fatherhood is great, Howie. I'm telling you."

Koko giggled happily when he's back in his father's arms.

Howie looked with longing in his eyes. "Yeah, I think so. Koko is a cute kid."


TWENTY FOUR by scarlett

 

 

Howie pulled his luggage outside his apartment. Before locking the door, he takes one last glance in the place he called home for many years since he separated from his mother’s house. He had so many memories here but he had to move on. He will begin a new life in California, where his siblings are. He will start a new life and he intends to include Cixi with him.

“Where are you going?”

Howie turned and saw his mother. Lucia Dorough looked every inch a political dictator. That’s what she is even in her private life, mostly as Howie’s mother. He realized that he never felt having a mother at all, or maybe Lucia had a different way to be one. “I’m leaving. I’m migrating to the States.”

“I see that you enjoyed being with your siblings and decided to live close with them.” Lucia eyed his luggage, a big black stroller bag. “You already moved your things there?”

“Last week.” Howie locked the apartment. He’ll return the keys to his friend who owned the entire building. “I found a nice house in LA. Nick and AJ helped me prepare my papers to live there.”

“You’re leaving me for good?”

Howie turned to his mother. “It will be good for both of us.”

“It will be good for both of us if you’d rather stay here with me.” Lucia told her son. She followed him down the hall towards the elevator. “I will give you everything that you want. Do you want another house, a car? Do you want to run as a governor or get a sure deal with a business? I’ll give it to you.”

Howie stopped. “I don’t need anything except for a mother. I believe you haven’t been one in a very long time.” He sighed. His mother just gaped at what he’s been telling her. “Look, I’ve thought a lot of things when I was in France. My brothers taught me the true meaning of being happy and being rich and it’s not about having lots of money and power. It’s all about having a family and I found it with them. Did you know what? I felt complete. For the first time in my life, I felt peace and contentment that was far from what I’ve been trying to look for when I wanted money and power. And I’ve come to a decision to go and live there, where they are near because frankly, I can’t stand being here and having you dictating my every move. I had enough of that.” The elevator dinged on that floor. “By the way, I’ll probably be getting married soon.”

His words caught his mother off-guard. He ignored her and continued towards the elevator. “You never introduced any woman to me yet.”

“Because I think there’s no use to do that,” Howie retorted.

“So, you found Cixi.”

Howie looked at his mother. “Yes, and you’re not going to stand in my way now. You’re not going to scare her off again because if you did, you will regret it. I’m going to forget that you’re my mother if you did. And that’s why I’m leaving here. I want to be away from you.” The elevator opened and he went inside. He saw his mother as it closed. There goes his past. He's going to live a new chapter of his life now.



~~~



Howie smiled at his cousin, Sophia LaCrouix. “So, is that a promise?” He asks. He went back to Paris for personal reasons, mainly because of Cixi.

Sophia bit her lower lip. “I don’t know, D. You know that I’m always busy with my work and I just can’t leave it.” She brushed a hair strand off her angelic face.

Howie groaned. “Come on. We already talked about this.”

“Oh, okay.” Sophia affectionately touched Howie’s cheeks, “I promise.” They both turned when the back door of the restaurant opened and the person they’ve been waiting for came out. Cixi stopped in her tracks when she saw Howie. “Good luck, cuz.” Sophia quietly said then walked off.

“I told you, I will never give up on you.” Howie said with a smile. “And I’m going to make it so right this time that you’ll find it hard to resist me. I love you very much, Cixi.” Then he knelt down in front of her.

“Howie…” Cixi consciously looked around for any spectators but there’s none, unless some restaurant crew will go out on the back door. “Stand up. Don’t give me that drama.”

But Howie remained on his knees. “I am so sorry for the man that I was. I know that despite my hunger for money and power before, you loved me and tried to show me the way to true happiness. I learned a very hard lesson and I don’t want to lose you again. I don’t want to undergo the agony of living without you again.” Cixi knelt in front of him, too. Howie held her hands and looked at her straight in the eye. “Please, Cixi. Take me back to your life.” He quietly tells her.

In response, Cixi nodded and smiled. She leaned closer to kiss him on the lips. Howie kissed back and in a few moments, they stood up. “It’s been hard for me, too, Howie. Oh, I love you still!” She cried and hugged him. “I missed you so much.”

“Oh, God. I missed you, too.” Howie ran his fingers through her soft hair. “I love you so much. I will always take care of you, and your family. And don’t worry about my mother. She won’t bother us again. I made sure of that.” He kissed her forehead. “I love you, mi querida.”

“I don’t care if she’ll go between us again. I just don’t want to be away from you again.” Howie shushed her when she continued crying. “I will fight for you, Howie. I love you.”

“Let’s get married for real, Cixi. And we’ll live in the States. We’ll bring your family along.” They stared at each other. “Let’s start our new life together now…”


TWENTY FIVE by scarlett

 

 

Nick placed the French newspaper down and sighed. He managed to get a subscription of the newspaper through his connections. He still wanted to read Sophia’s column even though he’s no longer in Paris. He didn’t know what hit him and never got the courage to talk to her and know more about her. It’s frustrating. Now that he’s home, he even lost interest in going out with the women he knew and go to the clubs. He also started to arrange his preparations for the bar exams to become a lawyer. He wanted to focus on this career and maybe by then, he already had the courage to find Sophia and talk to her. Probably, he already had something to be proud of to show to her. He admitted that Sophia intimidated him. Looking back at the things he’s done in the past, he wanted to show her he can be worthy of her attention.

He walked out of his room and saw Kristin walking down the hall with Kevin. “Where’s Koko?”

The two chuckled. “He’s sleeping with his nanny.” Nick took a nanny for Koko as soon as they arrived earlier. They picked up Brian along the way and Kevin finally met Leighanne.

“Oh, alright.” Nick scratched his head. He’s juggling his car keys in his hand.

“Where are you going?”

“Oh.” Nick bit his lower lip. “I’ll just go to the review center to get my modules. I started my review classes for the bar exams in November.” He saw their smiles grew wider. He thought that Kevin is a very serious person before but seeing Kevin now, reunited with his family, Kevin is a jolly person as well as Kristin. These two are very much happy together.

“That’s great. Don’t be late at the meeting earlier.” Kevin reminded him of Atty. Laxe’s call for the reading of the second will. He is not expecting for anything but he wondered why does the lawyer still wanted them to be present. Maybe they will get something after all, or maybe none. Whatever the case may be, he’s thankful that he found his siblings. He will cherish the moments he had with them.

Nick only nodded and said goodbye. When he’s gone, Kristin turned to her husband. “Let’s take a walk. I want to go around the place.” She’s excited that she’s in California with him. They both wanted to go in this state but never got the chance because of money. Kevin agreed and they started towards the front door.



~~~



Nick walked out of the elevator when he got to the floor where the law office is. He first saw Audrey, with her back turned to him, walking down the hall. AJ is frowning at their sister as the other talks to someone over the phone. “Damn it, Audrey. Give me that phone!”

But Audrey only ignored her brother. It was obviously Philippe on the other line. Nick shakes his head. They need to talk later about what this guy really wants with their sister. He saw Brian walked out of the office and called Audrey. When their sister turned, Brian gave her a warning look then went back in the office. Jamie, Atty. Laxe’s secretary, came out from the room to call them. The lawyer is now ready for the second reading of the will.

Nick sighed. He’s looking forward for this day. He wanted to hear Atty. Laxe announcing that his brothers, especially Kevin and Brian, will be getting something from their father. He turned when the elevator opened at that floor and his mother came out.

“Atty. Laxe invited me too.” Barbra told him. She turned to Audrey. “Young lady, I appreciate it if you put down that phone for a while or else I’ll ground you back to a boarding school when you get to college.” When they returned from Paris, Barbra announced that Audrey will be transferring out from boarding school to a school of her choice. Audrey chose to stay in boarding school since it’s her senior year but she wanted to pursue college in a culinary school in Switzerland. She wanted to be a chef.

Nick, who stood behind their mother, stuck his tongue out to his sister.

“I’m just talking with Philippe.”

“You’re not even his girlfriend to act like that.” Barbra raised an eyebrow. “Or are you?”

“No.” Audrey bit her lower lip. After only a couple of dates with the French guy and several exchanged calls, Philippe never hinted that he wanted her to be his girlfriend. She likes him and he may like her too but she just can’t feel it. Maybe he just wanted to be her friend and his first priority is medical school.

Nick and AJ looked at each other when they saw the frustration in their sister’s face. They’d beat the sense out of that guy when they saw him. Philippe is obviously just giving Audrey false hopes that they’d go further than being friends. When Barbra went inside the office, Nick and AJ patted Audrey on the shoulders.

“Guys can be an ass sometimes,” AJ said.

“You’re telling me,” Audrey rolled her eyes.

Nick shakes his head. “Maybe, Philippe is too busy wanting to be a doctor before he gets into a serious relationship.” Oops, wrong statement. AJ smack the back of his head. “Uh, you know, Audrey, you’re so pretty.” He tried again.

“Yeah,” AJ seconded. “It’s our fear, as your brothers, to see you get hurt that’s why we’re protecting you from some lousy men. And besides, you’re still young. You know, finish school first before getting serious with a relationship. Philippe will not be the only guy that will come your way. There are so many fishes in the sea,” he grinned at that. “There’s someone better and truly meant for you.”

Audrey chuckled. “I can’t believe you’re telling me things like that.”

AJ scratched his head. “Yeah. I felt like a girl.”

Nick chuckled. “Listen to AJ, Auddie.” He affectionately ruffled his sister’s hair. They went in the office.

When they got in, Howie and Kevin are already there with Brian and Atty. Laxe. After a few introductions to Barbra, Atty. Laxe called to start the meeting. Everyone sat down on every chair at the long table of the conference room.


TWENTY SIX by scarlett

 

 

Everyone was quiet as Atty. Laxe read the preamble of the second will.

“The second codicil is the statement of my assets which will be carefully given to my beneficiaries, my six children, whether they completed the five-month period of stay at the Chateau Cordell or not. The purpose of the codicil is to make my children realize the importance of family and togetherness that I never had the opportunity to give. I also hope that you found love, compassion, faith, trust and respect towards each other and the importance of everything that surrounds you.” Atty. Laxe read on.

Those were the best things I’ve learned from this codicil, Kevin thought.

Atty. Laxe adjusted his glasses then continued. “Part two of the codicil states the main topic of this meeting. For Kevin Richardson, born on October 3, 1971, you have a full college scholarship. The Treixe Restaurant which has branches in Monte Carlo, Monaco and Paris, France will be under your name as well as a house in Dallas, Texas and the private jet. A hundred million dollars deposited in a bank account is also under your name.

Kevin stared at the lawyer and the only thing that registered on his mind is that he’ll be going to college. He met Howie’s look.

“Flying school, here he comes,” Howie smiled. Kevin couldn’t help but smile wider.

“What? Flying school?” Nick grinned at their eldest brother. “A pilot for a brother? Cool! We can start our new airline company.”

AJ rolled his eyes and smirked. “With just one pilot? You’re kidding! I got a proposal –“ They turned when the lawyer caught their attention.

“If you’ll excuse me, I’d like to continue with the reading of your father’s will. I’m sure that each one of you will be given the appropriate wonderful opportunities by your father.” When no one said anything, he continued. “For Howard Dorough, born on August 22, 1973, you will be the new major stockholder of Ellis Real Estate Corporation and will receive a full special training program at Harvard Business School to develop your competency in the business field. The house in Washington and La Princepessa, the private yacht docked in Puerto Rico will be yours. A hundred million dollars deposited in a bank account is also under your name.

“Harvard Business?” Nick reacted once again. “Man! They got gorgeous ladies there.”

Howie rolled his eyes. “Nick, I’m getting married.”

“May I now precede, Mr. Carter?” Atty. Laxe asked with an amused smile.

“Oh, yes. I’m sorry.”

For Brian Littrell, born on February 20, 1975, you will be the new co-owner of The Royal Suites, a five-star hotel in Miami, Florida and will also receive a special medical support from the American Hearts Society for your mother. As part of your inheritance, a hundred million dollars deposited in a bank and a house in Chicago will be under your name.

They turned to see Brian wiping his tears. They are aware that he can be very emotional when it comes to his mother. Geoffrey was so thoughtful to consider the welfare of Brian’s mother. “Bear with me, guys.” He chuckled. “This is wonderful. I can't hardly wait to tell the news to Mom and Leighanne.”

Atty. Laxe nodded. “Alright, next in line. For Alexander McLean, born on January 9, 1978, the co-ownership of Premiere Film Production Company will be yours. Like Howard, you will also have a special training program at the Harvard Business School to develop your commendable business skills. A hundred million dollars deposited in a bank account and a house in New Jersey is also under your name.

For Nickolas Carter, born on January 28, 1980, the legal son, the first part of his inheritance was already read. In addition, he will succeed in the ownership of the Premiere Recording Company in Los Angeles, the most successful music and film recording company in the industry. A hundred million dollars is already on his bank account.

For Audrey Carter, born on June 21, 1982, the legal daughter, the first part of her inheritance was already read. In addition, a hundred million dollars deposited in a bank account is under your name but will only be received at the time you turn twenty-five. For the meantime, you will have a monthly allowance of thirty-thousand dollars until you graduated from college. In lieu to that, you can be a management trainee to any of the company owned by your brothers. That is until you reach your twenty-fifth birthday and ready to take over the Cart Publishing House which will be temporarily under Kevin Richardson's management.

Atty. Laxe looked at everyone when he’s done. “It’s not over yet, children.”

“There’s more?” Brian asked in surprise. He’s already overwhelmed by the things they inherited from their father and this lawyer told them that it’s not yet over.

“Part three of the codicil.” The lawyer glanced at Barbra. “Madam Barbra was already informed about this yesterday since she assumed the position as the Chief Executive Officer of the GC Holdings at the death of her husband. This is the mother company of all the businesses that were distributed to you. Positions are distributed among the six of you to run the multinational corporation. Kevin Richardson is the new Vice President for General Administration, Howard Dorough is the new Vice President for Business Development, Brian Littrell is the new Vice President for Internal Affairs, Alexander McLean is the new Vice President for Promotions and Advertisement, and Nickolas Carter is the new Vice President for Media Operations. While Audrey Carter is still young, the position as Vice President for Operations is intended for her at the time she turns twenty-five. Furthermore, the special CD collection, the book collection at Chateau Cordell and the access to his online journal will be given to you.” He gives each of them a folder with their name on it. “Inside the folders are documents where you need to sign to legally transfer the assets that were given to you. Among the documents is the letter from the bank for your personal accounts, titles of ownership and the copy of your father’s personal collection and online journal.”

Atty. Laxe signed the codicil and asked everyone to sign it as well. When all’s done, he shook hands with them and went out of the conference room.

Barbra looked at them with a pleased smile. “I would like to remind everyone on the general meeting on Monday at the office. I’m excited to introduce my new team to the company.” She shook hands with them.

“Thank you, Mom.” Nick whispered as he hugs his mother. “I love you.”

Barbra smiled to her son. Geoffrey’s plan on putting them all to Chateau Cordell to bond as a family has changed Nick. “Good luck on your bar exams, Attorney.” Nick smiled.

“I’m happy, Mom.” Audrey turned to her. “Though I still have regrets of not telling Dad how much I care for him, I will try to be the best that I can be. I still have you. I will make you proud of me.” She hugs her mother. Later, Barbra bid goodbye to everyone and went out of the conference room.

“By the way, this calls for a celebration.” AJ said. “My new boutique is set to open on Friday. I have a party at my place afterwards.” He nodded to Howie and they both looked at Nick who is oblivious to something they have planned for their brother.

EPILOGUE by scarlett

 

 

“Is that real?” Audrey asked pointing to Nick’s eyeglasses.

Nick chuckled and took off his glasses. “Of course not. I just want to look genius during my review classes.” He’s gone straight from his review classes for the bar exams to attend AJ’s launch party. Audrey playfully slapped his arm. “How are you, Auddie?”

“I’m good. I don’t think I’ll get used to the media attention.” They didn’t know how the media got a sort of information about Geoffrey having not only two but also six children, and leaving inheritances for all of them. They’ve been the subject of attention in the society. “I was even offered a modeling contract in which I refused. I want to concentrate on my study first just like what Philippe is doing in Paris. You and AJ are right. I’m still young. There’s still so much to do and so much to explore but being famous in such a way is not part of my agenda.” They turned when Paris Hilton passed them by. “I don’t want to be like her.”

Nick smirked and nodded. He looked around as he wears back his eyeglasses. AJ had so many guests, mostly were close friends. He’s been one of the youngest successful entrepreneurs in California and he planned to invade the entire country with his business ideas. Together with Howie, they will handle business just like the way Geoffrey did when he was alive. At this gathering, AJ’s mother is there too who’s been supportive of her son. Nick saw AJ speaking with his longtime girlfriend, Diane, then walked off to approach Brian and Leighanne.

Brian is very happy about having a support for his mother’s health. He told them after the codicil was read that he wouldn’t even care if he doesn’t get the inheritance he received that day as long as he will secure that there will be a way to help his mother. He and Leighanne are planning to pursue the wedding. He will quit working as a teacher at the end of the school year in Lexington and they will transfer to Chicago to live at the house he inherited from their father. He is planning to start his own school with Leighanne.

Nick turned back to Audrey but found her gone from his side. He’s alone again. He saw Kevin and quickly went to his elder brother. Kristin is standing beside her husband. “Hi. Where’s Koko?” He asked.

The couple laughed. Nick envied their bond and wished that someday he could find someone like Kristin. Maybe if given the chance, he’d like to know Sophia LaCrouix better. She’s may be the one or not but he likes her. He wondered when he will see her again.

“He’s asleep with the nanny at your house.” Kevin replied. He already settled his debts with the bank and enrolled himself in a flying school to pursue his dream to be a pilot. And he may have already inherited millions of dollars, he still chose to stay over at Nick’s house than to buy their own house in California. It wasn’t part of the couple’s plans yet. They already started to get an educational insurance plan for Koko and they are planning to improve their maintenance at the farm to produce better crops. Although Kevin still wanted to remain in his mother’s farm despite the riches he inherited from his father, he has more responsibilities now. But he made sure that he hired the competent people to look over the farm and he will make sure that he will visit it from time to time and monitor it. “Is that real?” Kevin asked about Nick’s eyeglasses.

“No and I won’t take it off for you.” They turned when they heard Howie calling them.

Howie began busying himself with all his preparations for a wedding with Cixi. They were already settled in a beautiful house in LA, the one who was supposed to be bought by Nick but cancelled due to the unplanned trip at Chateau Cordell. By next month, he and AJ will begin their training program at Harvard Business School. He’s still on non-speaking terms with his mother as Lucia Dorough still opposed to his impending marriage with Cixi. He doesn’t care anymore. He is happy with Cixi and he wanted to keep it that way.

Nick stopped in surprise when he saw who’s with Howie and Cixi. It is the person who’s been in his mind for a very long time now. The woman seemed surprised to see him too.

“People, this is my cousin, Sophia LaCrouix.” Howie introduced his special guest. “Sophia, these are my brothers and my sister-in-law: Kevin, Kristin and Nick.”

Sophia smiled at them and shook their hands. When she faced Nick, their eyes met and both blushed. Kevin discreetly excused himself and his wife and so did Howie and Cixi. As the two were left alone, their stares at each other continued. “So Nick is your name and you’re my cousin’s brother.” Sophia started, her head tilted up to him. She never thought he could be this tall. They just looked at each other back in Paris. Her heart beats fast as she finally gets to talk with the man who she only saw across the table at the restaurant.

“Yes, Sophia. It’s nice to finally meet you.” Nick’s heart is beating so fast. They forgot that their hands are still holding each other’s. “This is real, right?” He smiled nervously. From afar, his brothers and sister were watching them.

“I’ve never seen him so speechless and looking so nervous like that before.” AJ said. Audrey agreed. Gone is the brat they once knew. This is the new Nick: the shy one, the thoughtful, humble and compassionate one who now considered others first before himself. He realized what he wanted to do with his life and he will go for it.

“Y-yes.” Sophia whispered in reply. They still never wavered from each other’s stares.

“Sophia…”

“Nick…”

“Will it be weird if I already tell you that I think I’ve fallen in love with you?”

“Will it be weird if I tell you that I felt the same too?” Sophia replied. She gave him that charming smile of hers as her other hand traced his face.

“Oh my God…” Nick pulled her in his arms to envelope her in a warm embrace. He’s just starting to start a new life with his brothers. He felt so fortunate to finally had Sophia and from there, he knew that his journey has already begun.

End Notes:

THE END

Special Thanks to Erika Canlas, Maureen Chavez, Lorry Lizares, Rosario Santiago, Sarah Encabo for all the great help for the success of my project. Hugs and kisses for you.

 

 

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=7933