The Thirteenth Step by Mare
Summary: We all do things in our lifetime we aren't very proud of. Sometimes those things go away and when they do, we let out a great sigh of relief...but sometimes when you think they are gone...the reality is that they are just lingering in the dark and waiting to be found.

Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Howie, Kevin, Nick
Genres: Drama, Suspense
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 27 Completed: Yes Word count: 71535 Read: 55568 Published: 07/13/06 Updated: 05/28/08

1. prologue by Mare

2. Chapter 1 by Mare

3. Chapter 2 by Mare

4. Chapter 3 by Mare

5. Chapter 4 by Mare

6. Chapter 5 by Mare

7. Chapter 6 by Mare

8. Chapter 7 by Mare

9. Chapter 8 by Mare

10. Chapter 9 by Mare

11. Chapter 10 by Mare

12. Chapter 11 by Mare

13. Chapter 12 by Mare

14. Chapter 13 by Mare

15. Chapter 14 by Mare

16. Chapter 15 by Mare

17. Chapter 16 by Mare

18. Chapter 17 by Mare

19. Chapter 18 by Mare

20. Chapter 19 by Mare

21. Chapter 20 by Mare

22. Chapter 21 by Mare

23. Chapter 22 by Mare

24. Chapter 23 by Mare

25. Chapter 24 by Mare

26. Chapter 25 by Mare

27. Epilogue by Mare

prologue by Mare
Author's Notes:
Hey guys! Here's the prologue to the new one. I hope you enjoy it, I am trying to stick to what you asked for on the polls at my site. :O) Sorry it's so short but that's just how it goes lol
Prologue








Everything in my life seems so empty, so desolate. I wish I could explain without sounding like I am ready to slit my wrists. I would never do something like that, ever. But still, in my darkest moments, when I feel like I have no one to turn to, I go to that place. The corner of myself that hides all of those feelings.



It’s kind of like wearing a porcelain mask, you know what I mean?



I go into a dark room, away from everyone. I can hear my family laughing and talking in the background and there in front of me are a bunch of masks. I go from one to the other, never quite knowing which one to put on. It seems like there’s one for every emotion under the sun.



- A warm, friendly smile for days when I just decide to go with the flow and act like all is right with the world.



- One with a big toothy grin, for days that I just want to be ridiculous and act my age.



- One for anger



- One for loneliness



- One for jealousy



- One for despair



So many masks I am overwhelmed by the sight of them all.



Because everyone in my family is in such a jovial mood I reach for the one that shows the face of a happy and content person. That’s who they would want me to be tonight, so that’s who I will be.



As the music plays in the background of my mind, always some bittersweet lullaby sounding song, I picture myself standing there in front of a mirror with that porcelain mask in my hand. I don’t really want to put it on.



Part of me just wants to go out just the way I am. Show the world who I was meant to be, not what other people want me to be.



The only problem with that is there’s nothing there at all.



My life has been reduced to a clean, blank slate.



So, I put on my happy little face and hope that tonight isn’t the night that it falls off and breaks into a million pieces.



Partly because of the embarrassment it would cause my family and friends and fans etc…



But mostly because I’m afraid that once it falls off, everyone will just step right over it and go on with their lives.




Leaving me to pick up the pieces all alone…
Chapter 1 by Mare
Author's Notes:
okay guys, since I doubt you're getting a new Scars chapter tomorrow because as of now all I have written are the words chapter 22 lol, i'm giving you the first chapter of this one.

Hope you enjoy and keep in mind for this, things aren't always as they seem :O) *ooh how mysterious you are Mare... lol*
~ 1 ~






My soul felt like it had exploded. That’s about the only way to describe my feelings as I sat in the back seat of Kevin’s car. I’m not sure when I started feeling this empty and alone. I’m pretty sure I have felt like this my entire life, but it’s those times when I stop life for a moment to take a deep breath, that I am hit with all of these feelings.



And that’s what it feels like…as if my soul suddenly decided to explode. I get all hot and my fingers get tingly. Almost as if the sadness is slowly creeping through my entire body.



“You okay?” I hate when they ask me that. It seems to happen more now than ever.



“I’m good…just thinking.”



“About what?”



“Just stuff…”



“You’re just being kind of quiet back there. I almost forgot you were there.” I sat up straight and gave him one of my best fake smiles.



“I’m forgettable?”



“Kevin, everything was so peaceful…why did you have to ruin it?”



“Because he’s probably tired of talking to your boring ass AJ.” I made sure to say as quickly as possible. That’s why they called me the comeback kid. I had a reputation to live up to.



AJ got to ride up front and I’m kind of glad. I knew this was going to be a long trip and I wanted the chance to sleep and stretch out in the backseat. For some reason, when I sit shotgun, I can never close my eyes. I have this fear of waking up just as I am flying through the wind shield. I know that sounds ironic for someone who never wears his seatbelt, but yeah…it’s a fear of mine. So I usually stay awake and in turn, become grouchy.



Plus no one really tries to carry on a conversation with you if you are behind them. Well, almost nobody I guess.



“So, when does this reality show of yours start filming?”



“At the end of the summer…although it might not happen now because we can’t seem to stay in the same place for more than ten minutes without fighting.”



It made me sad how dysfunctional my family was. I mean it’s not something that came as a huge shock to me or anything because I knew we weren’t exactly what you’d call ‘normal’, but even still, we were all just a bunch of strangers nowadays. How does something like that happen?



“Well, this will give you a little break from all of that.”



I nodded at Kevin and at AJ who had turned halfway in his seat to face me. So much for quiet solitude I guess.



“So, are you going to tell us what we are doing exactly Kev? I mean you kept saying this was some kind of colossal surprise. You aren’t tricking us into going to the dentist or anything, right daddy?”



“Right.”



“So…what is it then?” I’m glad AJ was asking all the questions and not me. Truth was, I didn’t really even care as long as I was getting the chance to go away, especially with them. They are the only people who make me feel safe anymore.



“I’m actually taking you to get shots!” I snickered at that and so did AJ.



“Seriously man…what’s this all about. Why are we in Kentucky?”



I knew why, it was because of me. When we finished up our tour and slowly began getting ready for this hiatus, my mood began to change. I got melancholy because it was all coming to an end. I acted like I was ready for it, but this time it felt different. The last time we took a break, I was more than ready to not be around the guys anymore. I felt burnt out and just so done with being a Backstreet Boy.



It’s when I wasn’t a Backstreet Boy that I figured out how important these guys were to me.



This time it was different, because I didn’t want things to end. Sure, I was grateful for the time off and to just be a bum for a bit, but I started feeling so alone and anxious. Probably because I saw how glad they were to be done, all of them so happy to just be able to go on with their families and lives. I don’t have those things.



When we had our very last meeting together before the break, we made a plan to see each other again in about three months time and until that time came; we were to stay completely out of trouble. Of course they all looked at me when Kevin said that. I don’t know why but trouble always finds me.





And it did, about two weeks later. I was accused of doing something that I didn’t do and it felt like Paris all over again. Even though I was innocent of the charges, I was still embarrassed by the calls. One at a time they called me about it. They heard something on the news, or they read something in a magazine, or a friend said this, etc.



When Kevin called however, he had this edge to his voice. I can tell he wanted to yell at me or lecture me, but he was fighting himself from doing it. Instead he invited me out to Kentucky. He said it would be a good idea to get out and get some fresh air. He had a secret project for me and that he had also invited AJ along. It would be fun and I should consider going.



“You know that makes for good TV.”



I looked up at AJ confused, “Huh?” I thought maybe I zoned out or something. I am prone to do that from time to time.



“You guys fighting all the time is exactly what America wants to see.”



“I know, but it’s not something I want to see.” I answered, once I figured out what the hell he was talking about.



“Me either.” Kevin added. He turned off the dirt road to an even smaller, remote road. “We’re just about there.”



“You aren’t taking us out into the middle of the woods to hack us to bits, right Kevin?”



“Right Nickolas…you guys watch too many horror movies…we’re here!” He said bringing the car to a full stop in front of a huge gate which hid what looked like one falling apart, white house.



When I say falling apart house, I really mean falling apart house. It was massive from the outside…massive and creepy looking. “I just need to get this gate unlocked, hang on a second.” Kevin ran over to the big black, metal gate which was overrun by dead weeds.



“He’s taking us to visit the Addams Family.” AJ joked as he once again turned his body to me.



“What on earth do you think this is all about?”



“I have no idea but this place is giving me the creeps.”



A loud creaking sound had me jump in my seat. I wasn’t expecting it. Kevin was pulling the gates open and I swear they were screaming in protest. He got in and started up the car once more, “This is so exciting!” He exclaimed as AJ and I looked baffled at each other.



The opening revealed a line of trees all leading up to the house. They were bent slightly downward as if bowing to us as we drove past them. It was pretty, but in a weird ‘I’m in a Stephen King Novel’ kind of way.



“This is it guys!” He said when we finally reached the house.



Upon closer inspection, I’d still have to go with my first assessment. It was indeed falling apart. The white paint was peeling off the front of the house. It looked like a sick snake shedding its skin. The four steps leading up to the wrap around front porch were so slanted, I was sure they would collapse under AJ’s weight.



“So, what is this Kevin?” AJ asked once again as he carefully made his way up the steps.



“This…is our project!”



“It’s a house.” I stated the obvious but for some reason, it needed to be said.



“Yes it is Nick, it’s my house. I bought it and thought it would be fun for us to fix it up.”



“You thought it would be fun for him and I to help you fix a house? Nick and I?”



“Yes.”



“The two most klutzy guys in the universe?”



“Come on, it’ll be fun.”



“Why this house?” I asked staring up at the huge windows. I couldn’t see Kevin in a place like this.



“I don’t know….my brother told me about it. No one has actually lived in this place for over 30 years. It was just abandoned one day. I got it for next to nothing.”



“I can see why.” Kevin hit AJ with his baseball cap.



“Does Kris like it?”



“She hasn’t even seen it yet.”



“Oh, nice.”



“Yeah, I wanted to fix it up first. I think I’m going to open up a camp or something once it’s done.”



“So you’re not planning on living here?”



“No.”



“Good, because I was just about to get my banjo ready.”



Kevin had made his way up the front porch steps as he was explaining how he got the house. I was still kind of afraid to venture up because they looked so unstable but he gave me a reassuring nod so I went for it. They creaked under my weight but I successfully made it to the porch. Yay me!



“Let me show you inside…” Kevin took out his key and unlocked the door for us. Of course the doorknocker is what caught my eye. It had to be the most gruesome thing I have ever seen. It had a horrible looking face without any eyes and big sharp teeth. Yes, that’s how I would like to welcome my guests.



The front door creaked as it opened and for a second I thought it was going to fall off its hinges. “We are going to have our work cut out for us.” I whispered to AJ as we stepped inside.



The inside wasn’t nearly as creepy looking as the outside. The frames that separated room from room were all cherry wood and had the most elegant carvings engraved in them.



The paint was peeling off the walls, just like the outside and there was dust and cobwebs all over everything, including the furniture.



“Did you ask Ikea for the cobweb effect?” I asked, walking over and blowing on one of the couches. Of course I ended up sneezing as a result. That’s how dusty everything was.



“No, the previous owners left everything here. That’s part of the mystery. It’s like they left the place in a hurry. When we came to see it, there was actually food still in the fridge.”



“God, I hope you cleaned that out before we got here.”



“Yes I did and stocked it with a lot of food as well. In fact I even bought a brand new one.”



“I love when Kevy takes care of us.” AJ said, patting Kevin’s head as if he were a good dog.



I nodded at AJ and took one more look around the huge living room. It was so big it had three full sized couches in it along with a baby grand piano and the biggest fireplace I have ever seen. “This is so odd, because from the outside it just looks like a big house but from in here it looks like a mansion.”



“It is beautiful, isn’t it? I’m thinking about painting the walls olive green. What do you guys think about that?”



“That’ll look nice.” AJ answered. But I was more intrigued by the fireplace. I walked over and took a look at all the pictures that were on it.



There were a ton of pictures of what looked to be a very happy family. A woman was sitting on a chair and off to her side was a man who I assume was her husband. She was surrounded by three boys one looked to be a teenager and the other two considerably younger than that. A teenage girl was also in that picture as well as a younger girl maybe about 10 or so.



You could tell the picture was older because surrounding it were newer pictures of the kids in various stages of growth. One of the boys in a wedding picture, the oldest girl wearing a cap and gown etc… Another dressed in a naval uniform.



“Why would they leave their whole lives behind like that?”



I felt Kevin’s hand on my shoulder. “I don’t know buddy…but we’re going to get rid of all of this stuff starting tomorrow.”



I nodded at him, “Maybe there’s a way to track down one of the family members and give it to them.”



“Since when have you ever cared about stuff like that?” AJ asked me, clearing off one of the couches and taking a seat on it. The mound of dust that came up when he sat made us all cough. “Kevin, tell me we aren’t spending the night in this place.”



“We aren’t…I booked us some rooms at the nearest hotel. But soon we’ll be able to stay here.”



“Thank…God!”



“Are you okay little man?” I looked over and nodded at Kevin…I guess I was getting that melancholy feeling again.



“They don’t look happy in those pictures.”



Kevin went and picked one up, it was of the little girl now looking like she was maybe 15 or so. She was sitting on a horse next to her father. “She looks perfectly happy to me.” He said while taking the picture and placing it back on the mantel.



I knew that smile though, because I have worn it more than once. It was the kind of smile you put on when you knew a camera was there waiting to capture you in a generic happy moment. All of my family photos were full of moments like that. You’d see my entire family, happy and smiling when on the inside we all wanted nothing more than to escape…kind of like how this family did.



“Let’s get out of here before it gets dark, I haven’t bought any lights for this place and I don’t know if the old ones still work.”



I nodded but still found myself staring at the family portrait. Maybe this renovation would be a good thing after all.
Chapter 2 by Mare
Author's Notes:
Hello! Here's chapter 2 :O) Enjoy and thanks for reading and reviewing!

~ 2 ~








The next day I was awoken by someone banging on my door repeatedly. I fell out of bed and of course cursed at anything under the sun. I hated when I was in a deep sleep and someone found a reason to interrupt that. Now that I have gotten older, sleep had become very precious to me.



“I’m coming hold you’re damn horses.”



I meandered my way over to the door and was met with Kevin who looked like he had been up for hours. He was carrying a cup of coffee for me in one hand and a can of paint in the other one.



“Morning sunshine…here’s some coffee…”



“What the hell time is it anyway?”



“7 on the dot.”



“What? Kevin why are you waking me up at 7 in the morning?”



“Because we have a lot of work to do.”



“But, 7? You couldn’t wait for at least 9?”



“Nick, you know if I had waited until 9, we’d be having the same exact conversation but only you’d be asking me why I didn’t wait until noon.”



I was half listening to him as I climbed back into bed and pulled the covers up over my head. All I wanted was to go back to sleep…nice, quiet, sleep. I had the weirdest dreams last night. I usually do my first night away from home. I’ve always been like that. Of course when I was younger they were nightmares, always with the same recurring theme…not being able to find my family. It’s weird that now that would kind of be a nice dream.



Kevin walked over and pulled the blanket off of me, “Come on little man…we’ve got to go and paint!”



I sat up and shook my head at him, “You know, there’s something not right with you!” I yawned as I forced myself to finally pull my legs over the side of the bed. “Have you woken AJ up yet?”



Kevin nodded as he sipped on my coffee, “He’s in the shower now.”



“How come the other guys aren’t here to have as much fun as we are?” He laughed at my sarcastic wit. I’m sure I reminded him of the younger me just then. I recognized the laugh. He used it often when I gave him the all too familiar rolling of the eyes or shaking of the head. He liked to call it, “The return of baby Nick.”



“Because you have always said that you wanted to do something fun...just the two of us.”



“Yeah, well if you haven’t noticed…AJ’s here too.”



“Because he has always said the same thing, so I figured I’d get you both done in one pop.”



“You’re a real riot Richardson.”



“I know…now get dressed and I’ll treat you guys to breakfast.”



“Yeah…yeah.”



He came over and ruffled my hair, which was already a huge mess, “I’ll be back in about a half hour. Try not to go back to bed!”



“What? And miss all this fun?”



He winked at me as he left my room and as tempted as I was to lay right back down, the 26 year old in me, needed to go and pee. I walked over to the bathroom and after doing my business, poured some cold water on my face. As much as I liked to complain about being here, I kind of felt good that he asked me along. At first I was a little annoyed that he also asked AJ to go, more like jealous I guess, but I got over it.



AJ and I always had this secret competition going for Kevin’s attention it’s just that neither of us would ever admit to it. Truth was we both longed for that big brother/father figure in our lives. It just seemed more likely that AJ would need that more than me because his dad was noticeably absent. It’s hard to take that seriously for someone like me, when my dad was always right there. Kevin saw through that though, it’s like he understood.



I contemplated my strange relationship with Kevin while in the shower, which was odd I admit, but still. It is something that has always baffled me. Why it was that Kevin mattered so much to me. As I shut off the water and made my way back into the main room I shook my head as I heard AJ singing outside my room.



“Let me in Nick.” He sang to the tune of Brother John.



“Why don’t you just knock like normal people?”



“When was I ever a normal person?” He asked, which was a pretty good question.



“Good point.”



“I’m surprised you showered, you know we’re just going to get all dirty anyway today.”



“Well shit, I didn’t even think of that.”



“That’s why I’m here Julio.”



“Julio?” I searched the contents of my suitcase, looking for something that I in essence could ruin since we were painting today. “You know, Kevin didn’t tell us to pack smocks!”



AJ seemed amused by that, “Smocks? Do you own a smock Nick?”



“No, but I would have brought a shirt that I didn’t care about if I knew I was going to ruin one today.”



“But the one you are wearing is full of holes Nick.” He laughed at me and I guess he did have a point, but I paid good money for these strategically placed holes.



“I can’t believe he woke me up so early… 6 freaking o’clock in the morning.”



“He let me sleep until 7.” I decided to brag. I did say we enjoyed a friendly competition didn’t I?



He gave me the finger as he adjusted the FUCK cap on top of his head. “What do you think his deal is anyway? I mean renovating a house is just fucking odd, even for Kevin, don’t you think?”



I sat on the bed and yawned, debating on whether I should even bother to run my fingers through my hair or not. Most likely I was going to get all sweaty anyway. “I have no idea…maybe it’s some kind of midlife crisis or something.”



“He has been acting weird ever since our tour has been over.” I nodded at AJ, he was right. Kevin had been acting strange and very un-him like since we ended our Never Gone run.



“I have no clue…”



I was interrupted by a knock which was immediately followed by an “Are you ready Nick?”



AJ was the one who opened the door, “Yup, he’s ready. I made sure of it.”



Kevin pat the top of AJ’s head, “Well, aren’t you a good boy…come on kids…let’s go.”



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~






After a hearty breakfast of pancakes, eggs and bacon…well also some sausage for myself, we were back at Kevin’s newly acquired mansion from hell. That was my nickname for the place after being here for two days. It wasn’t as menacing looking as it was yesterday but that creepy and sad feeling came over me as I once again carefully climbed the front porch steps.



“I think your first order of business should be fixing these steps before one of us dies Kev.”



He nodded at me and then threw a paintbrush at my head. His aim sucks! I know he thinks he is an incredible pitcher but good Lord, if I didn’t duck, I would have had a concussion.



“Why don’t you guys start on the living room? I’ll work on those porch steps…okay? Happy?”



“As a clam.”



Once Kevin left AJ and I alone, I turned to my short, little bald friend and had to ask, “Do you have any idea how the hell we are supposed to do this?”



“Nope and I can’t believe he didn’t leave us a long list of detailed directions so we don’t fuck it up.”



“Maybe before we paint we should move the stuff off of the fireplace first?” I shrugged at him as I said that. It seemed like the logical thing to do, I mean we couldn’t paint around the pictures.



So he walked over and helped me remove all of the photos that lined the mantelpiece. We placed them on the canvas covered couch, but instead of painting I went over and looked at them once again. I’m not sure why, but I felt a closeness to these people, maybe because of the tinge of sadness emanating out of every one of them.



I picked up the big one which all the other smaller pictures surrounded and turned it around to look for a date. I coughed at the amount of dust that came off of that thing.



“Hrmm…September of 68. These are hella old pictures. I thought they were more recent than that.”



“What are you babbling about?” I looked over at AJ and held out the picture, “This picture was taken in the 60’s.”



“Dude, you can’t tell from what they’re wearing? I mean look at that chick’s hair. She’s got freaking hippie written all over her!”



He was right, the oldest girl in the picture was dressed in a long, flowered skirt and her hair was long and braided. She was kind of hot in a ‘she’s probably my mom’s age’ kind of way.



I put that one down and went for some of the others. They all were kind of generic and didn’t have any info on the back, except for one. There was one picture of one of the boys sitting up against the side of the house, holding up his hands to his eyes to shield them from the sun it looked like. This picture had a different look then the others; it was almost as if a real photographer took it. When I turned it around though, it actually had something written on it.



Our last picture of Tommy…I love and miss him.



What happened?



Belle




“Nick, are you going to sit and stare at those pictures all day or help me paint?”



I looked over at AJ and had to laugh because even though he had just opened the can of paint, he already had managed to get some on his pants, which of course I was more than happy to point out to him.



“Son of a bitch!” he exclaimed once he looked down to the place I was pointing to. “Kevin is so going to owe my ass a new pair of pants! I loved these things!”



“I wonder what happened to the kid in this picture.” I said as I walked over and grabbed my paintbrush.



“What do you mean?”



“The back of the picture said it was the last picture of him.”



“He’s not in any of the others?”



“You know…I didn’t even look.”



“Well don’t now…we have to paint.”



“You’re no the boss of me McLean.”



“True…but if we don’t start painting soon; lord knows what he’ll make us do next.”



“I just want to see real quickly,” I walked back over to the place where all the photos were lying about and sure enough, the boy was only in a handful of the older ones. He was missing from most of them.



“Huh…he’s not in them. I wonder what happened to Tommy?”



“Maybe you can try to solve the case later Joe.”



“Joe?”



“Hardy…you know Joe and Frank Hardy? The Hardy Boys? Oh forget it…”



“Oh I know who they are.” I know he was being a smartass, but maybe AJ did have a point. With them leaving all of their stuff here, I was sure I could find something about what happened to that kid. Not that he was a kid; he was more like a high school kid, but still. Too young for it to be his last picture.



“How’s it going in here boys?” Kevin walked in, wiping his brow with a handkerchief.



“We just started.” I announced as a master of the obvious.



“The porch steps are now fixed so no need to worry about falling through them whenever you come up the stairs.”



He looked over at me and smiled when he said that and suddenly, I just had the urge to give him a hug, so I did just that.



“What was that for?” he asked when I finally pulled away.



“Just because.”



AJ shook his head at me as he continued to paint. “Hey Kev…you said these people left everything here as is right?”



Kevin walked over and grabbed my paintbrush and began helping AJ, “Yeah.”



“So they probably left like all their personal things as well like mail and stuff?”



“I guess, I haven’t even really looked to be honest but the upstairs rooms are a mess.”



“Can I go up there and look around? I mean if you guys are okay with painting?”



“Knock yourself out.”



“He doesn’t mean that literally Nick…so try not to walk into any walls or anything.”



“Thanks for the tip AJ.”



“Sure.”



I grabbed the photo of Tommy and headed up the stairs, for some reason my curiosity was in full bloom and I needed to know what happened to this kid. Besides, he looked a little bit like me, did I mention that?
Chapter 3 by Mare
Author's Notes:
howdy! Here's chapter 3 :O) I hope you enjoy and as always thanks for reading and reviewing. It's always appreciated!
~ 3 ~








By the time I reached the top of the stairs, there was already a small line of sweat wetting my hairline. Without air conditioning, the second floor felt like a sauna and the smell of mold and decay were magnified because of it. I actually found myself gagging and almost turned around and ventured back down the steps. That thought went away pretty quickly though, when I heard Kevin barking orders to AJ. Nope, I think I’ll take my chances with the mold and heat thanks.



There was a haze to the glow of the upstairs rooms. It almost looked as if I had walked into a black and white movie. Maybe it was the way the sun was coming through the dirty windows, but everything looked rustic to me. It was kind of cool and at that moment, I wished that Brian had come with us. He always loved stuff like this and if there was one person I could count on to help me explore, it was B.



We used to have the best time together; no matter where we were we would try to find a mystery in something. The best places to do that were some of the older hotels in Europe. We’d always go on late night excursions to see if we could find ghosts and such. It was weird that now I suddenly found myself yearning to spend more time with Brian. No matter how many times I said to myself, ‘I’m going to call Brian and see if he wants to hang out tonight,’ I always managed to talk myself out of it.



An odd creaking broke me out of my thoughts and made my heart skip a beat. It was coming from down the hall; a door was slowly opening and closing. Probably due to wind, although not a single window was opened. I looked down at the picture I was carrying in my hand, “Tommy buddy…I hope that’s not you.” And just like that…it stopped.



“ooookay then.” I knew it was just my imagination because well, things like that don’t really happen. For some reason, I found myself continuing on, but nowhere near the creaking door. Instead I ventured into the first room I saw. The door was wide opened and the corners were lined with webs of dust. I bat them down with my hand as I entered.



The room looked as if it had been frozen in time. One of those rooms you’d find when you went on a generic tour of a castle or mansion or something. Where they put up the red ropes and you walk by and see how people lived back in the day. Only there wasn’t anything extravagant about this room, it was as plain as could be. The small teddy bear on the unmade bed told me that this was one of the girls’ rooms. I know… I’m a real Sherlock Holmes.



As you entered the room there was a huge dresser lined with all kinds of half empty perfume bottles and scarves and jewelry. “This could very well be BJ’s room.” She was about as into smelly stuff as this girl seemed to be. In fact because of all the smells she had going on in her room, it would waft into mine and give me a major headache. What is it about girls and smelly things? I guess it’s just one of those things I will never understand and maybe will never want to.



The little boy in me instantly went for the top drawer, which was of course the universal underwear draw and I have to say I was happy to find adult sized girl panties in there, otherwise I would have felt like a perv!



Most of them were granny panties but since this was probably a long time ago, it made sense I guess. It’s not like thongs were readily available in the 60’s. There were bras and stocking in there as well as a small, white blanket. A baby blanket and I couldn’t help but smile when I realized that it was probably her security blanket. “Well, I guess you must have outgrown this huh?”



Something fell out of the blanket when I went to go put it back into the dresser and I admit I jumped thinking it was a snake or something. It was a black and white notebook that was bent at the edges and yellowed on the corners. How I mistook that for a snake is beyond me.



It said ‘Belle’s thoughts’ written in huge black letters with hearts all around it. Can she be anymore of a girl? I opened it up and saw just random things, I was a little disappointed. I thought maybe I was going to stumble onto a diary or something. No such luck though, this seemed to be nothing more than some poems maybe for school.



If this was for school, she probably wouldn’t have made a very good student because none of them made any sense. She would go on for paragraphs and repeat herself endlessly. “Maybe she was special?”



Still, I found myself intrigued, so I sat down on the dirty, dusty floor and actually read the whole thing. The notebook was just ridiculous, but I found myself laughing at some of the random little comic strip things she drew along the way. She seemed to be a very talented artist.



When I got to the very last page, written on the back in big bold letters was…



HA! I bet you thought you would find my diary Beth…well fat chance! Try again! I hope I kept you entertained!



“Why you little minx…” I laughed; she had concocted this entire book to get back at her sister. Now this was my kind of girl.



I know the girls in my family, if any of them ever had the discipline to actually keep a diary, would most likely snoop into each other’s personal lives. I wonder if this would work for paparazzi.



I pat it as I closed the book and was just about to stand up and put it back where I found it when I saw an envelope sticking out from under the bed just a few inches away from me. I swear to God it wasn’t there before and if it was I didn’t see it. I felt bad grabbing it up as fast as I did. I mean it was someone else’s mail, although I did just also read someone else’s entire diary even though it wasn’t a diary so if I was going to go to hell, I might as well make it all worthwhile right?



It was addressed to an Isobella Wainright. “That must be Belle’s full name.” Once again the Sherlock Holmes in me decided to state. “Isobella Wainright.” It sounded so soap opera-ish and very stage name like.



I carefully opened the envelope, which was already opened. It’s not like I opened a sealed envelope or anything. I wasn’t that bad. It was a letter, written out on bright lime green paper with birds on every corner. “Wow…” My grandmother would love this stationary.



Belle,



I’ve been thinking a lot about you since I left. I’m worried about you, in fact I find myself losing sleep just thinking about all the things you are going through. I hope you’re reaching out to someone. I know how hard it can be to go through such a rough patch and not have a single shoulder to cry on.



The fact that you come from such a big family probably makes things even harder for you. I wish I could be there for you in your time of need. Seems like this crap always happens to you and your family.



I’m telling you, you need to get out of that house Belle. I know it’s something you don’t want to hear and believe me, I’ve been very hesitant to actually say it, but it needs saying because it’s the truth.



Now that Ben is gone, get out of there. It’s not a good idea to be alone with them anymore. Not after all they have done to you. Come out to Los Angeles and see me. I mean, I have the smallest piece of crap place you can find, but still, it’s mine and I’m happy to say its home.



What about Matty? Can you maybe get a place with him? I know you have more than enough money to get an apartment, unless they have taken that from you too?



I’m sorry to be so blunt, you probably hate me for being so open about things, but I’m your best friend. I love you and care about you.



Let me know if there’s any way I can help at all, okay?



Love you!



Sarah




I wonder what happened? Maybe this was around the time of Tommy’s death. Why was I so sure this kid was even dead? I mean it didn’t say anywhere that Tommy was actually dead. More importantly though, why the hell did I even care?



She mentioned a few names in this letter, two were boys. One was Ben and one was Matt. Ben had to have been a brother because her best friend made it seem like he was living in this house. “Maybe I should find Ben’s room.”



“Are you talking to yourself Carter?”



I dropped the letter and just about had a heart attack when AJ jumped into the room, “Don’t do that to me…Jesus man!”



“Sorry, what the hell have you been doing up here this entire time?”



He seemed amused that he made me lose ten years of my life. “It’s hot as hell up here…it doesn’t look like you’ve done a God dammed thing. Tell me I’ve been working my ass off down there with friggin Bob Villa and you’ve been up here…doing what?”



“Wow, stop nagging for a minute. Jeez!”



He walked around the room, picking up odds and ends and staring at them before putting them down and moving to the next thing. “I was just looking through some things. You make it sound like I’ve been up here for hours or something.”


He turned to me and shook his head, “It has been hours Nick.”



“What?”



“You’ve been up here all day. Kevin is going to be pissed at you which is awesome for me because that means I’ll get a reprieve.”



“Oh come on…it hasn’t been that long.” I looked down at my watch and I couldn’t believe what it said. Sure enough it was almost 1 in the afternoon. “Holy shit…I can’t believe I have been up here that long.”



“That’s what I’m saying nimrod.” He hit the side of my head.



I still couldn’t believe I had been up here that long. I guess reading Belle’s entire notebook took longer than I thought it did. Now thinking about it, I realized how sweaty I was. There was a thin line of sweat pouring down the side of my cheek. “I’ve just been kind of looking around.”



He once again smiled at that while raising his eyebrows at me, “Looking around?”



“Yeah…I lost track of the time.”



“Conveniently…come on, we’re breaking for some lunch.” He lent me a hand and helped me to my feet.



The smell of paint hit me full force as we left Isobella’s room. Weird that I didn’t smell it at all in there, but it was probably because of all the smelly stuff lining her dressed. Her room did have an oddly sweet smell now that I think about it.



The door that creaked open and closed to greet me did the same as we started to head for the steps. “Well, that’s creepy.” AJ said, not even bothering to stand around and wait for something ghost like to appear. This is where he and Brian were different. If B was here, before even venturing into Belle’s room, we would have been over at that door for further examination. Well more like he would have. I most likely would have been hiding behind him…just in case.



I nodded as I looked over at the door; it was hanging off its hinges. That would explain the swinging, I guess. I decided to maybe investigate that another day, since most likely Kevin was going to make me paint for the remainder of the afternoon.



“Look who I found!” AJ exclaimed as we hit the ground floor.



Kevin was putting one final stroke of paint onto the wall. It looked good. Green really did suit this place. He had a lot of paint on his pants. I wonder if he noticed that or if it was something that was best left unconversated…is that a word?



“I thought you got lost or something… did you get a lot done up there?”



“Yeah Nick, did you get a lot done?” AJ decided to add just to be a smartass.



“I looked through some things… and moved some things.” That was my very clever and round about way of saying no, not a damn thing.



Kevin hesitantly nodded as he wiped the sweat off his forehead with his gloved hands. “Okay, well what’s the situation up there? Will we have a lot of things to move?”



“Yeah.”



“Great…we better wait until I can get some more fans or an air conditioner installed.”



“The room looks good.” I complimented, really getting a chance to step inside and take a look. They did a great job because before it had a gothic, everyone is dead and this place is haunted feel. Now it was sort of warm and welcoming.



“Thanks buddy…you get to help with the dining room.” He said pointing over to the very next room which looked even worse than the living room had.



“What color?”



“The Same.” He put his hand on my shoulder, “You okay?”



I looked over at him and smiled, “Yeah, why wouldn’t I be?”



“Not sure, you just seem distracted.”



“Oh, nah…I’m just hot and hungry.”



“So, where are you taking us to lunch daddy?”



“AJ, I wish you would stop with the calling me daddy thing. It’s getting old.”



“Not to me.”



“I know, but things you say get old to us much faster than they do to you.”



“He’s right AJ.” I was quick to agree.



“Well, let’s go. I’m starving myself.”



“I found out that the people who lived here before were named Wainright.”



“Yeah, I knew that much.” So much for me thinking I had discovered something new and exciting.



“Yeah?”



“Yup, they had a bunch of kids and were really rich…that’s all I know.”



I walked over and picked up one of the many pictures that used to litter the fireplace. Kevin had them all stacked into a box, which he most likely planned on throwing away. After delving into her life for the last few hours, I somehow felt closer to Isobella and I smiled when I looked at the family photo. I wonder which one was her. If I had to guess, I’d say it was the youngest girl in the picture.



“I was in her room.” I pointed her out to Kevin and AJ, but neither seemed to care.



“Let’s go guys.” Kevin said as he opened the door and led us both out.



I took a look back at the steps, feeling as if I was leaving a friend behind. It was a weird feeling but yet, an oddly welcome one.
Chapter 4 by Mare
Author's Notes:
Hey guys! I know you're used to seeing a new Why chapter on Mondays but I just couldn't get my Why channeling groove on lol so here's a new 13th Step instead. I'll try to update Why this week! :O)
~ 4 ~






It’s like the weirdest feeling that hits you out of the blue. I can be feeling completely fine and ready to tackle the world when all of the sudden, I get the tiniest little lump in my throat and just one second later, the tears start to spill.



There are so many people I could call if I needed them. My family and friends would be more than willing to help, but yet, I just stare at the phone with a blank expression on my face, hoping that this will pass, as it usually does.



Whenever this happens, I end up crying myself to sleep and waking up with the worst headache in the world. People laugh at me when I walk into the room with my red eyes and my aspirin, because they think I just partied too hard and had too much fun. They don’t realize that all night long I’ve had this internal struggle to not just go into my medicine cabinet, find my prescription sleeping pills and call it a day.



People think suicide is an ultimate act of selfishness and cowardice and you know what? They’re probably right. But it’s the suicidal thoughts; those things are what separate the cowards from the strong. It’s one thing to act on them and another to will them away night after night. Not that I’m always suicidal or anything, in fact I rarely get to that point. Lately though, it’s been a rough patch of sad thoughts.



I usually just smile along when they joke about hangovers and how I should just cut my wild ways in half. Funny how they don’t understand the accomplishment I feel just by opening my eyes and allowing myself to start another day.



Isn’t it funny how the people who supposedly love you the most are also the ones who are usually completely clueless?






~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*






We decided on this out of the way diner for lunch. I mean really out of the way but it seemed like that’s just what Kentucky was about. Everything was ‘out of the way’



“Does it take like three freakin’ years to get to anywhere you need to be in this state?” AJ blurted out suddenly as if reading my mind. Sometimes that scared me. It didn’t when it was Brian but when AJ and I were on the same frequency… that was freaky deaky.



Kevin shook his head as he lifted his menu and ignored us. He did that well, the ignoring part. When I met Kevin for the first time, I remember turning to AJ and Howie and saying I know for a fact I’m going to give this guy an aneurysm by the time he’s 30, if we’re together that long! I’m proud to say he’s over the 30 mark and still his brain hasn’t exploded. That’s because he knows how to turn me on and off, like having his very own Nick switch.



“Kevin, how old are you?”



“Nick, how long have you known me now?” He asked, still not taking his eyes off of his menu.



“Uh…a long ass time.”



“Uh huh and since we’ve known each other for such a long time, don’t you think by now you should know how old I am? I mean I know how old YOU are.”



“That’s because I’m your favorite.”



Finally…he looked over the top of his menu. Gazing at me long enough to let me know that this simply was not the case, before shaking his head and continuing on with his search of the perfect lunch.



“He’s 34 but soon to be 35, aren’t you Kevin?” AJ answered ever so proudly.



“Yup.”



“See? I know…” I looked over at J and gave him the finger.



“I did too…I knew he was like in his mid to late 30’s I just have a hard time remembering stuff like that.”



“Mid to late thirties?”



“Uh…well yeah, kind of. You are in your mid thirties Kevin.”



“Just like you’re in your mid twenties Nickolas.”



“Exactly.” I smiled at him and winked when he finally put his menu down.



The waitress came the second it seemed Kevin was ready to order, that’s of course when I realized I hadn’t even looked at the menu. Oops, my bad. “Do you all know what you want?” She asked in a heavy southern accent, almost as heavy as Brian’s, if that was even possible.



“Yup.” AJ answered before I had a chance to say otherwise. “I’ll have a burger and fries, well done. No mooing allowed.”



“No mooing, got it…and what about you?”



“Let him go first.” I said nodding my head towards Kevin as if I was just being polite and letting age go before beauty.



“I’ll have a chef salad with oil and vinegar dressing.”



She glanced over at me again so I said the first thing that came to my mind, “I’ll have the same.” Damn! Why couldn’t I say that after AJ and not after Kevin!



When she walked away both guys started laughing at me, they knew I didn’t mean to do that. “Nick when are you going to stop being so predictable? If you spent this time looking at the menu and not fixating on how old I was, you would have known what you wanted.”



“I knew what I wanted.”



“Right.” Kevin shook his head at me and for some reason that pissed me off. I hated when the guys laughed at me, or when anyone did really. I spent most of my life feeling like I was stupid so when I get laughed at I guess it’s just one of my many emotional scars that get ripped open.



“What the hell ever!” I pouted and went for my Sidekick, further annoying myself when I realized I had left it at the house. Gah! Can this day get any worse?



“Don’t be a baby.”



“I’m over it.” I rolled my eyes at AJ before happily changing the subject, “So…about this family. I think something weird happened to one of the kids. Like maybe he was murdered or something.”



“Why on earth would you say something like that?”



“Because according to Isobella, he kind of just disappeared.”



“Isobella?”



“Yeah…the girl who’s room I was working on.” AJ laughed when I said the word ‘work’ to which I answered with a swift kick to his leg.



“Disappeared huh?” I smirked at him while he rubbed his leg.



“Yeah…and she wrote a fake diary to throw off her sister Beth.”



“I was thinking about going with blue for the kitchen. What do you guys think about that?” Kevin asked as he just so rudely brushed off the subject of my morning snooping.



“Blue would work man…although Kaci said every kitchen in America should be painted yellow.”



“Oh, well if Kaci says that then…”



“Shut up Kev, I’m just saying.”



“So, like I was saying, she wrote this whole fake entry, I guess her sister used to read her stuff but what I found really weird was this letter I…”



“What do you think about the blue Nick?”



I looked over at Kevin confused; this was the second time he cut me off, what the hell? “Don’t you care that someone might have been murdered in your newly acquired home Kevin?”



He let out a deep sigh which made me sad. I could tell he was regretting his decision to invite me along, that maybe he was better off with just AJ which for all I know was his original plan to begin with. “Nick, aren’t you…” He looked over at me. Maybe it was the expression on my face or maybe he just didn’t want to open a can of worms, whatever the reason he stopped his first thought. “Whatever happened in that house before I bought it is really of no concern to me. It’s not my business…nor is it yours.”



“But you make everything your business…I thought you’d be interested. Never mind…forget I even said anything.”



There was one of those uncomfortable silences that followed. They happened from time to time when one of us decided to become overly dramatic…okay I admit it was usually me, but AJ was a close second.



“So, what’s the deal with you and Kaci anyway?” Kevin asked. I guess it was easiest for him to just ignore me all together and focus on the real person he wanted to come along anyway. Luckily I had a straw wrapper to entertain myself with.



“She’s good….I really think she might be the one. I know you aren’t keen on the idea of us together Kev…”



“It’s not that, she’s a perfectly nice little girl.”



I laughed out loud, I couldn’t help it. Of course when I looked up they were both glaring at me, so I put my head down again and played with my paper. I never knew that you can knot a paper from a straw about fifteen times before it starts falling apart, fascinating stuff, really. I’ll have to try with a napkin when my food gets here, if you can call salad food.



“Well?”



When I heard nothing after the word well, I had a feeling I was the one who was being talked to. Sure enough when I lifted my eyes from my knotted paper, both guys were staring at me once again. “Well what?”



Kevin shook his head, “Why don’t you ever listen?”



“I was playing with my straw.” Probably not the best excuse in the world, but it was the truth.



“I asked you what was going on in your life.”



“Oh, not much…just the reality show’s taping soon.” I finished with a shrug.



He nodded at me but I also felt him trying to stare into me, I hated when he did that. “What about the family? Have you spoken to your mom or dad lately?”



“Why do you ask?”



“Because I care… maybe?”



“No, I haven’t. My mother called shortly after she heard about the show, she left a message to call her, but honestly there’s really nothing I have to say to her. I’m not sure she wanted me anyway. Seems all she cares about is Leslie nowadays.”



AJ put his head down and started playing with HIS straw wrapper. He’s such a copycat…actually he just gets really uncomfortable when my dysfunctional family comes into conversation.



“What about your dad?”



I shook my head at him, “Dad has a whole knew life…we’ve kind of been replaced I guess.” I hated talking about my family, because at the end of the day it always brings me down. Not so much the siblings because we are trying very hard to make things work out. Mom and dad though, it’s just sad.



I can count on one hand the amount of times my mother called me before she heard about us all being on television. Dad could care less either way, he probably thinks ‘good for them, now I don’t have to deal with them anymore.’



I’m not sure why Kevin always chooses to bring them up, it’s almost like he wants me to feel bad. Okay, I know that’s not the case, but he has to realize that it’s something that hurts me deep down inside. I found myself trying to swallow those feelings down again, keep them from resurfacing so I went to my happy place, which today at the moment, besides trying to figure out what happened to Belle’s brother, was my straw wrapper.



I started fiddling with it once again as another wave of silence hit our little table. I felt his hand on top of mine suddenly, stopping me from my unknotting. “I’m sorry…I didn’t mean to make you sad.” He said softly and kindly.



“You didn’t. My family is this whole other thing now Kevin…it’s like it doesn’t exist anymore.”



He nodded his head in understanding, even though I knew he probably didn’t get it. When you come from a family as solid as his, how could you possibly understand what I was talking about? “So, I give in…tell me why you think someone was murdered in my new house.” He knew that was my happy place. I love Kevin, when he’s not making me mad.



“Oh Lord…here we go.” AJ huffed under his breath. But I think he was grateful for the change in subject matter, I know I was.



“Because it seems like he just disappeared without a trace. Beth seemed worried about Belle. I think that maybe something weird was going on in her family. I plan on getting to the bottom of it.”



They both looked at each other and smiled. I’m sure this was all very amusing to them but I meant it. If something happened to Tommy, I was going to find out what it was. I’m not sure why I felt like it was my duty, but in some ways I just felt some kind of connection to them, especially Isobella. I suddenly felt rejuvenated. I wanted to get back to that house and do some more digging.



Maybe I would find Tommy’s room, or better yet, I could further explore Belle’s. I barely touched the stuff in there, which I’m sure will drive Kevin ballistic when he sees how little I actually accomplished while upstairs.



“Well…who knows…maybe by the time we get to the basement, we’ll find a rotting corpse or something.” AJ said in a Dracula meets Johnny No Name voice. He sucks at impressions.



“You guys are too much, you know that?”



“Yes Kevin, but that’s why you love us.” I said giving him a wink to let him know my little mood had passed.



Our lunch came out shortly after. I can’t believe I ordered a salad! Never fear though, I did wind up eating some of AJ’s fries when he wasn’t looking.
Chapter 5 by Mare
Author's Notes:
Hello :O)

Here's another chapter and as always thanks for reading!
~ 5 ~






An hour after our trip to the diner, found us back at the house and surprise surprise, I was still hungry. I know it was a mind over matter thing with me. Food always has been. I wish I didn’t love the stuff so much but I do.



Of course this is something that used to drive Kevin, the self proclaimed health nut, crazy...especially when I went through my ‘everything tastes better with chocolate’ phase during our Millennium period. Food helped me deal with stress back then, and I admit I did use it as a reward. My entire family has had weight issues growing up. My mother used to tell us stories about how big she was and how badly everyone made fun of her. That’s how she met my father. He overheard people telling her she was a porker and he stepped in and saved the day.



She lost all the weight shortly after.



I think out of all of us, Leslie and I have the hardest time when it comes to food. We eat when we are sad, mad, happy, or stressed. Yup, just seeing that list you can tell that we eat a lot.



What made things even worse for me was the way Kevin and the rest of the guys used to treat me when it came to my eating habits. None of them ever had weight issues. I mean AJ was 100 pounds soak and wet. He’s like Paris’s little rat dog… AJ. Seriously I have never seen someone so small that can pack in so much food. It’s not fair!



“Why are you staring at me dude?”



“Huh?”



“You’re like…glaring at me.”



“I am?” I felt bad; I didn’t realize I was even looking at AJ. That happens sometimes when I’m in my own world.



“Yeah dude…quit it, I feel like you’re going to murder me or something.”



“Sorry…I was just thinking about food.”



“Okay so change the murder me to eat me then.” He took his paint brush and began to work on the dining room wall nodding at me to join in as well.



“I was just thinking that I’m still hungry.”



“Dude…you ate all my friggin’ fries.”



“Not all, only some.”



“Enough!”



“I’m hungry though.” And I was, suddenly ravenously hungry. See? It was one of those mind over matter things. Maybe if I whistle it’ll take my mind off things…like eating. “I should have gotten dessert.”



“Order a pizza.”



“No way, Kevin will scream at me.”



He laughed, “You know I think it’s funny that you are 26 and are still afraid of Kevin.”



“And you aren’t?” I raised my eyebrow at him.



“Please…no way. Where is he anyway? He dumps this painting thing on us and then takes off again.”



“He’s smart, he’s probably out somewhere eating a hot fudge sundae with nuts…and marshmallows…wow, I want one of those.”



AJ shook his head at me but that’s when I figured out how I could distract myself. “J, want to go searching upstairs with me?”



“No, we have to paint. Remember he showed us how to do it and everything?”



“But he’s not here; we can say we got sidetracked. Come on, I feel like exploring.”



“No way Jose.”



“See? I knew you were afraid of him.”



“I’m not afraid of him dude…I’m afraid of you and this house gives me the creeps, especially upstairs.”



“That’s what will make it even more fun….come on AJ!”



“Nick, we need to finish this.”



“Why?” I sighed, knowing he was probably right. I mean to go exploring and not get anything done for a second time in one day would really be pressing my luck and more importantly, I know this probably sounds gay, but I didn’t want him to give this up and send us home early. I wanted to stay around these guys. Call me crazy but even doing manual labor for Kevin was better than being at home and fighting with the kids. Besides, maybe there was an even bigger mystery to crack besides Tommy’s mysterious disappearance.



“Why do you think he’s doing all of this suddenly? I mean don’t you think it’s kind of odd?”



AJ looked over at me as he sent his paintbrush back into the green. “Yeah, I’m not sure… he seems really distracted, you think?”



“A little…you don’t think he and Kris are having problems do you?”



“I don’t think so; I mean he called her twice already today.”



“He did?”



“Yeah…you know, while you were ‘cleaning’ upstairs.”



“And did he talk in front of you or did he leave the room?”



“What difference does that make?”



“It can make a world of difference AJ.” When people have nothing to hide they stay right where they are on the phone, especially when the conversation is going to be a light and friendly one.



People leave the room when they are about to fight or when they don’t really want you to know what’s going on. My parents did a lot of leaving the room phone calls while I was growing up. If only I had known how unhappy they were with each other. That every phone call was probably so hate filled that if I or any of my siblings had heard them, we would have most likely cried about it.



“You’re doing it again dude!”



“Huh?”



“Is everything okay? You seem to be in your own little galaxy a lot today.”



“Uh…yeah, sorry about that. I just think it’s the heat…mixed with wanting to pass out from hunger.”



“Oh lord…”



“It is hot, don’t you think?” And suddenly it was. Well, maybe not suddenly but noticeably if that makes any sense. I was sweating like a pig and AJ was too.



“He needs to get air conditioning going in this place before we all friggin’ melt.”



“I’ll take that as a yes then.” I said at AJ as he kindly nodded at me. I figured that’s when my powers of persuasion would win out. “You know it’s kind of cool upstairs I bet.”



“It’s usually hotter upstairs then it is downstairs doofus.”



“True…so maybe we should explore the basement!” YES! What an awesome idea I had. I mean it was still daylight, no Kevin in sight and AJ was here. I wasn’t going to go down there alone. Even I’m not that brave.



I could tell by the expression on his face that it was going to take a fair amount of convincing, or bribery. “Nick, what is it with you suddenly wanting to be the Christopher Columbus of Kevin’s house? Can’t we just do what we’re supposed to do so we can go back to the hotel and jump in the pool?”



He laughed when he saw my clueless expression but I’m sorry…I had no freaking clue that the hell that was even supposed to mean. “You know, he’s the dude that discovered America, ring a bell?” He explained to me as if I was retarded.



“Duh AJ, I’m not a moron. I know who he is; I just don’t understand why he was brought up.”



“Because he was an explorer…you’re an explorer…get it?” He was talking with his hands as he so often does and in so doing he ended up flinging paint all over my face! Yeah he thought it was pretty funny until I pointed out to him that he also managed to get some paint on the floor as well. He stopped laughing real quick, but not me. Nope, I smiled as wide as possible, green face and all.



“Shit, what do I use to clean that up? Any ideas?”



“I’m sure if you wait for Kev to get home, he’ll tell you.” I was being sarcastic because of course I wanted to drive the point home. You know, the one about AJ still being scared of Kevin? Yup, that point. Ah…I love being right.



“Shut up Carter and help me out!”



“You know, I bet we can find something to clean that up in the basement.”



“Why do I feel like you’re luring me down there to eat me or something?”



“Dude, eating you would be like eating…I don’t know like a rat leg?”



“Eww!”



“I know! So what do you say? I bet there’s some of that turpentine stuff down there. Doesn’t every basement have that stuff?”



AJ shrugged at me, not that I expected a definitive answer either way. “Okay kid, let’s go…but I’m telling you the second I see my own breath or hear a ‘get out!’ I’m gone and you’re on your own!”



“Excellent!” I patted his back as we walked over to the door that led down to the basement.



It had three locks on it. Two sliding ones and one padlock. Luckily though the padlock was open so all I had to do was take it off and place it on the kitchen table. “Okay why would that door need so many locks?” AJ asked under his breath. I was wondering the same thing.



“Maybe they didn’t want anyone going down there.”



“Yeah, or maybe they didn’t want anyone coming up here.” I have to admit, that stopped me from opening the door for a second. I suddenly got a mental image of me opening the door and something with huge fangs and sharp teeth jumping out and eating me.



“You want to go first? Age before beauty, you know?”



“Nuh-uh, this was your idea Columbus…you go first.”



“Fine…not a big deal…I’ll just open the door…” It of course had this horrible, haunted house squeak. It sounded like the door hadn’t been opened in a thousand years.



I took a deep breath; I admit I was having serious second thoughts about doing this. I could tell AJ was too. God lord we were two grown men afraid to go down into a basement. What in the world was wrong with us?



I searched for a light when I saw how incredibly dark it was down there and decided that if I couldn’t find one that it was fate’s way of saying not to venture any further. Apparently fate was all for the idea when I found a switch right at the top of the stairs. When I flipped it on a small light bulb illuminated the way.



I started down the creaky stairs, kind of afraid that I would fall through them at any minute. They reminded me of the porch steps. I actually felt them warping under my weight. It kind of made me happy that I had that salad for lunch after all.



“Okay…”



“Stop saying okay, you have said okay a thousand times since we started down the steps.” I said just as I finally reached the bottom.



“Okay…” AJ said once again as he landed right behind me.



It looked just like any ordinary basement. There was an old ping pong table sitting in the middle of the room as a centerpiece. “Maybe this is where the kids hung out.” I said finding another light and putting it on.



There were a bunch of bikes sitting off to the side and a small couch with an ancient black and white television sitting on top of a crate. It smelled like mildew and from seeing a few puddles on the ground, it was easy to tell that this place had endured its fair share of flooding.



AJ made his way over to a huge steel cabinet and opened it up to see if there was anything he could use to get the paint off of the floor. I however decided on going in the other direction. There was a small hallway off to the side of the couch. It was blocked by a few trunks.



“I’m going down the hall…” I yelled to my friend. All I got back was a grunt.



The hall was lined with little pictures drawn with chalk and paint. Stick figures and some very elaborate drawings and caricatures told a story as you continued to walk down the hall. “If I ever drew on the walls, my parents would have killed me.” I said under my breath.



I could tell this was the work of Belle. She had managed to create a living comic strip down here. Maybe this is what she did when she was bored? I instantly had a mental picture of her family down there in happier times. Her older brothers playing Ping Pong as her sister and some of her friends sat around watching the television. Maybe her and Tommy came in here and painted on the walls.



I hadn’t even realized I reached the end of the hall until I literally ran into the wall. As I turned to make my way back I noticed off to the side a small door. I mean it was tiny! Something you’d see in Alice in Wonderland or Willie Wonka.



I crouched down to get a better look and in small letters, all in white it said Tommy. There was nothing cute or artistic the way it was written out either. It actually looked scribbled and misplaced compared to everything else in there.



I placed my hand on the door that also had a tiny latch on it which was locked. When I tried to undo it, it wouldn’t budge. Seemed like it was rusted in place. ‘I wonder what’s hiding behind here,’ I thought to myself just as suddenly a huge bang brought me back up to a standing position.



“AJ!” I shouted, fearing that the cabinet he was looking in had fallen on top of him flattening him like a pancake.



When I made my way out of the hallway I found him coming towards me, “Dude…the friggin door just slammed shut!!”



“Are you sure?”



“Uh…yeah…let’s get the hell out of here!” He said turning towards the steps.



That’s when the lights went out.
Chapter 6 by Mare
Author's Notes:
Hello! Here's chapter 6. Enjoy and thanks for reading :O)
~ 6 ~






Now let me tell you from experience that in my life I have only been this scared maybe three times. Once was way back when I was a kid. I was really sick and stuck in bed. I remember plain as day looking up at the wall and seeing the shadow of a man holding an axe. I screamed bloody murder which had my father and mother both tear ass up the steps with a crying Aaron and Angel hanging onto to each one of them. Of course when dad put the light on, the axe man disappeared but still to this day I swear to God he was there.



The second time was only a few years ago. I was in my house all alone and I could swear that I heard the sound of my bedroom window slowly opening as I quietly lay in bed. I remember searching for the phone in the dark and cursing myself out when I realized I had left it downstairs. I convinced myself I was going to die that night. Somehow a crazy fan had managed to get past my security and all my dogs and the next morning they’d find my body hacked to bits. Turned out it was only the wind and my over-active imagination playing tricks on me.



That brings us to time number three which was occurring right this second as I stood in a stanky ass basement where someone was most likely murdered, with AJ who was holding onto my arm so tightly I thought he was going to rip it right off.



“J, you’re hurting me.”



“Why do you think the lights went off?”



“I don’t know but dude…let go.” He eased up on my arm and I tried my best to breathe regularly instead of like a teenage girl after running into well…us I guess.



Of course being that we were in total darkness, my mind began to play tricks on me and I could swear I heard creaking coming from the small hallway I had just left. “If I die here because of you I am SO going to make you pay!” AJ whispered with so much venom in his voice it was almost comical. In fact if I weren’t ready to shit my pants from being scared to death I probably would have busted out laughing.



“Did you hear that?” I was afraid to ask because as long as I didn’t know the answer, we were safe. If he heard the same thing I did however; I was going to fucking freak the hell out.



“I think we should make our way back up the steps.” He said, deciding not to answer me.



I slowly moved to where I thought the steps would be, AJ stepping right beside me as if he was my Siamese twin. Once more I heard a creak coming from that hallway. There was no mistaking it this time. He heard it to because we both stopped at the same time.



“What the fuck was that?” He asked me. He had a nervous quiver in his voice.



“I have no fucking idea.” We kept walking closer to where we thought the steps would be, but this time I ended up walking right into the ping pong table, falling on top of it and making it collapse.



That’s it. We’re going to fucking be killed now because I had to fucking fall onto a fucking ping pong table of all fucking things! Luckily before I was able to say fuck in my head one more time, the lights went back on.



I looked up at AJ who was crouched down as if he was going to take a shit. One of his hands was reaching down for me while his other hand was on his mouth probably trying to prevent a scream from coming out. Boy, once those lights went on I wasted no time at all getting up and heading towards the stairs. We both ran as if we were being chased by the devil himself. The stairs creaked under my weight once more but I didn’t care as long as I got to that door before whatever was living in the basement killed me.



“Hurry…hurry…move…move…” this was AJ’s new mantra as we raced up the remaining steps.



It wasn’t until I put my hand on the actual doorknob that the thought occurred to me it might be locked. What if whatever bolted up the door leading down here decided to do the same now. Maybe they were waiting for someone stupid enough to venture down to a basement that had THREE locks on it, in hopes that whatever was down there would dine on a nice meal.



“Please open…” I begged as I put my hand on the knob. Before I could turn it though, the door flung open and I swear I almost fell backwards and would have if Kevin hadn’t grabbed me by the arm and pulled me up.



Since AJ was literally right on top of me he stumbled and fell onto the kitchen floor and kicked the door closed with his feet. “What the hell is going on?” Kevin asked…well okay he didn’t exactly ask, more like screamed at us.



“Kevin you have some serious fucking problems in this house!” AJ was out of breath as he said that.



“Like what? And why the hell is there paint all over the floor?”



AJ and I both looked at each other in disbelief. “Dude…your basement almost ate us!” Yeah wow…good one AJ, now he’ll believe what we have to say.



“Why were you even down there?” He was calming down as he gave me a helping hand to my feet.



“We were looking for Turpentine to clean up the paint AJ spilled all over the floor.” Yeah I ratted him out. I’m not proud but I’m not an idiot either. There was no way I was taking the blame for the paint.



“Dude there is some messed up shit going on down there.”



“Like what?” He was shaking his head at us both as if we were two of the stupidest people he had ever come into contact with. I was beginning to feel like that as well. Like a complete ignoramus.



“Well for one, there’s this…ping pong table.” Both Kevin and I looked over at AJ like he was an idiot and he is, so that look was justified.



“Wow a ping pong table….that IS scary.” Kevin said as sarcastically as possible. “What was the loud crash I heard down there?”



“That was the ping pong table.”



“Did it levitate off the ground?”



“No but Nick fell right on top of it!”



Ugh, okay so I ratted him out for the paint, I suppose it was only fair that he did the same with the table. Kevin glanced my way with that all too familiar look. “The lights suddenly went out Kev and I couldn’t see where I was going and I fell onto it. It’s not like you were going to use it right?”



“I didn’t even know there was one down there.” He admitted as he looked up and down my body. Uh… “You’re bleeding.” He said pointing to my knee where my jeans had torn. Damn, I loved these jeans!



“Yeah, that was another freaky thing. The lights went out and the door slammed shut.” AJ said now dusting himself off, making sure he hadn’t ripped anything.



“Well when I came home and saw the door opened a crack I closed it and shut off the lights.”



“How? There was no way you could have shut the lights off dude. They were downstairs.”



Upon hearing AJ’s question he walked over to a switch located right beside the door and flipped it up, making his eyes grow wide and ending with a gasp of surprise. Wow, I have to give him credit, no one did smart ass like Kevin. He escalated it to a whole new art form.



“Oh…see Nicky? I told you there was nothing to be afraid of. He was totally freaking out down there Kevin.” AJ pat my shoulder as if to confirm I was terrified. I only rolled my eyes and shook my head at him.



“Did you at least find anything to take that paint off the floor?” Kevin grabbed my arm and led me to the kitchen sink as if I was a small child. “And you need to clean that off before it gets infected.” He said putting the water on for me and handing me a paper towel, “I should have thought to bring my first aide kit with the two of you being out here. Only you guys can make painting into a contact sport.”



I laughed at him as I rubbed at my boo boo. It stung!



“I think I might have band aides in my glove compartment.” He said putting his hand on my back after I frowned at the pain.



“Of course you do, doesn’t everybody?” AJ asked sarcastically.



“Why don’t you run out and get them for us smartass.” Kevin whipped his car keys at AJ who surprisingly caught them. “And while you’re in there check my trunk to see if I have anything that can clean the floor you just ruined.”



“Yes sir!” AJ saluted our friend and ran out the door. I think he was grateful just to be out of the house. It’s weird but I wasn’t really all that scared anymore, just curious.



“I can’t believe the two of you. Can I not leave you alone for an hour or so without any type of drama ensuing?”



I shrugged at him, “We just like to keep you on your toes…where did you go by the way?”



“I had some paperwork to fill out and I wanted to do it before I forgot. I did yell in to you guys but I guess you didn’t hear me.”



“Sorry we didn’t get more done Kevin.” I suddenly felt the need to apologize to him. Not even sure why. Maybe it was because of the loving way he was tending to my huge gaping hole in my leg or just his overall concern for our constant well being. Whatever the case, I felt back that I wasn’t making this as important to me as it clearly was to him.



“It’s okay…I kind of knew you’d both lollygag around.”



“Oh…really?” I raised one eyebrow at him and he laughed at me.



“You had an entire box of band aides in your glove compartment dude…Winnie the Pooh ones!”



“Oh lord not again…”



“And why on earth do you have a toothbrush in there?”



“AJ, don’t even go there with him.” I warned.



AJ handed me the box of band aides and I couldn’t help getting a sense of déjà vu as I opened them up. “Baylee again?” I asked him slyly.



“No, I decided to buy another batch of Pooh Aides just for you.” He ruffled my hair and moved back into the dining room to look at all the paint on the floor.



“You okay?” AJ asked me as he looked down at my leg. Okay maybe I exaggerated about the gaping hole, but it was also a little worse than a scrape. I mean the hole surrounding my injury was covered in blood and it needed three pooh band aides to cover it properly.



“Yeah I’ll live. What about you? Still freaked out?”



“Uh…I’m not going down there ever again. What do you suppose was that sound we heard? It sounded an awful lot like footsteps didn’t it?”



“Yeah it did, but I think it was just the dark playing tricks on us.”



“I don’t know dude…that was scary.”



“I thought I was the one that was scared.” I raised my eyebrow at him and gave him a wink.



“I have a reputation to protect.”



“Riight, well your secret is safe with me tough guy.” I gave him a friendly punch on his arm to which he groaned as if I hurt him. What a wuss!



“So I take it I had nothing in my trunk to clean that up huh J?” Kevin came back in as he ran his hand through his hair.



“Nope, sorry Kevin.”



“I guess I’ll go out and buy some turpentine.”



“I feel bad; I’ll go if you want.” I smiled because I knew AJ just wanted the heck out of the house.



“No, that’s okay you have no idea where to go and I’m not giving you my car. I’ll be back.”



“Maybe we can all go, it’ll be nice to get out and get some fresh air. Get away from the paint smell.” Once again AJ trying his best to not just flat out beg for Kevin not to leave us alone in the house from hell.



“Okay…let’s go though, at this rate we won’t get anything done today.”



“Actually I think I’m going to stay.” They both looked over at me as if I was crazy and in a way maybe I was.



“Are you sure you want to do that?” AJ asked me.



“Yeah, you guys go. I don’t want to go into a store looking like this anyway. I’m just going to hang out here maybe go look around upstairs.”



“Nick, I don’t think that’s a good idea.”



“Relax AJ; he’s 26 I think we can leave him alone without worrying about him setting the place on fire…right Nick?”



“Right, you guys go.”



I gave AJ a knowing nod. I thought it was nice he was worried for my safety. Maybe I should have been worried too, but I wasn’t. Isn’t that odd? I mean this place was as creepy as it got but for some reason I was just drawn to it. I wanted to know more and this would give me the opportunity to snoop around for a little bit.



“We’ll be back soon buddy.” Kevin came over and wrapped me into a warm hug. “Try not to break anything else.”



AJ then walked over to me and whispered, “Please don’t go back down there Nick.”



“I won’t.” And I wasn’t planning on it. Not yet anyway.



“Good...because I won’t be there to save you this time.”



“Good bye Bone.” I shook my head at him and laughed.



Once the car was gone I sat on the newly fixed front porch steps’ wondering to myself what was it about this place that pulled me in. Maybe I would go back up to Belle’s room and check things out, or maybe I’d try to find Tommy’s room if it still existed, unless that tiny door in the basement WAS Tommy’s room.



I stood up and made my way back inside, thinking about whether to go up or down.
Chapter 7 by Mare
Author's Notes:

Hey guys!

Sorry about the short wait. Here's the next chapter! :O)

~ 7~






After a few minutes of contemplating where I wanted to explore first, I once again made my way up the steps towards the bedrooms. As much as I wanted to know what the deal was with the basement, I’m not sure I was brave enough to venture down there all alone. It was still incredibly hot in the house which sucked. “Hopefully they’ll think to buy some air conditioners too while they’re out.” I found myself babbling out loud just as I reached the doorknob to Belle’s room.



Funny, but I didn’t remember closing the door when we left. I hesitated just for a second before twisting the handle and letting myself in. Once again I was overcome with the smell of perfume. Her room was so welcoming and inviting and very homey in every single way. I walked over and sat down on the bed as a small poof of dust came out from behind me.



“Cool it looks like my ass just exploded!” too bad AJ missed that, he would have enjoyed that little trick. Of course after about a minute of thinking that was cool I was overcome by the dust and started hacking my brains out.



I got up off the bed and made my way over to the window closest to her bed, figuring I’d open it and let in some fresh air but when I tried, no matter how hard I tried, the window wouldn’t budge. That’s when I noticed the nails…the window was bolted shut.



“Okay, that’s a little odd.” I immediately started looking around the room for something I could use to pry the nails out from the window, getting down on all fours and searching under the bed. I found a diary the first time, maybe there would be a hammer this time. I reached as far as my arm would take me and then admittedly I screamed like a little girl when I felt something furry hit my hand.



I pulled it out and rolled over as if escaping from some kind of Ninja movie, holding my hand as if something huge had just taken a bite out of it and laughing once my heart rate slowed.



“Yeah, you’re a real smooth one Carter…real smooth.”



After a few moments, I bent back down and peered under the bed only to find a small stuffed teddy bear. “I knew it was a teddy bear.” I pulled it out and took a closer look at it.



By far it was the most haggard little bear I had ever seen. The fur was gone in huge patches as was one little paw. One eye was made of a button while the other one was half missing. It kind of looked like what you’d expect if The Werewolf carried around a stuffed animal. It even had drawn in fangs which made me actually laugh.



I was about to start playing around with it when I noticed a hole right next to me, in the wall about the size of a mouse. In that hole was something small, about dime shaped and white so I put the bear down and grabbed for the white thing instead.



It was a piece of paper which was scrolled up tight and fastened with rubber bands. “I feel like I’m in a freaking movie!” I was excited, it’s almost as if these things were being left for me to find.



I excitedly removed the rubber band and opened the piece of paper, not really sure what to expect. Inside there was a picture, a very impressive one. It was a landscape, with rolling hills and trees in the background made with a charcoal pencil. Even after all these years, the black of the pencil rubbed off onto my fingers when I went to feel it.



I wonder if it was the same person who made the drawings which were down in the basement. This person had a lot of talent. “Was it you Isobella?”



I turned the picture around and there was a small note written in bubble letters.



Come play with me! It said with a smiley face at the end.



I stood up, taking the little macabre teddy bear with me and decided to go into the next room to see who was inviting Belle to play. “This is so cool!” And it really was. I can’t even tell you how exhilarating it all was, to go exploring in this house. I felt like every corner of this place told some kind of story and I was curious to get to the bottom of things.



I didn’t even flinch when the door at the end of the hall once again began to creak and sway in a breeze from some unknown location. My only focus at that moment was going into that next room. The door to that one was noticeably missing, its hinges still in place and a few shards from where a door used to be hung off to the side as if it was kicked in.



“How come I didn’t notice that before?” I walked in, and searched for the hole I was sure I’d find connecting Belle’s room to this one and sure enough, there it was right next to a closet. I lay down on the ground on my stomach to try to see into the hole. It was hard but sure enough I was able to see right into Belle’s room.



Now my next mission was to find out whose room I was in, although I was pretty sure this belonged to Tommy. It was definitely the room of a boy. The plaid blanket hid what looked like basketball sheets and pillow cases as well as a big throw pillow basketball lying in the center of the bed.



The dresser was bare and also empty. Not a stitch of clothing anywhere to be found. I opened each drawer and all I saw were mothballs. Maybe this was one of the kids who left for college or something.



I decided while I was in there, that I would try the windows to see if they were also bolted shut but these opened with no problem. So easily in fact I almost thought I was going to break them with how quickly they went up. Boy, Kevin would have murdered me if I broke his windows. The air outside was so thick and muggy I wish I hadn’t even bothered. Why did it have to be so hot now? Why couldn’t we be doing this in the winter or the fall?



I wiped at my sweaty head while still clinging onto Chub Chub…the name I gave to the crazy ass looking teddy bear, and then decided to make my way over to the closet, hoping that maybe whoever lived in this room had left something behind.



When I tried the doorknob however, it wouldn’t budge. I put the bear down and tried with both hands, thinking maybe it was the heat of the room warping the door but still no luck. That’s when I noticed the nails along the sides. “Son of a bitch!” They hammered it shut.



Why on earth would someone hammer their closet door shut? That was it, I needed into that door so I left the room and ran back down the stairs knowing that anal Kevin had to have a hammer in here someplace. I went to the big tool box he had lying next to the paint that AJ had spilled and sure enough there was a hammer. “Excellent! Anal Kevin strikes again!”



Before I could even think about it I actually ran back up the steps and into the room. I mean really ran! Boo boo and all! When I got to the door I immediately flipped the hammer over and began to pry the long nails out. The wood made a hideous sound as the nails were freed one by one. It sounded like the Titanic sinking, not that I’d know for sure what that would sound like but based on the movie, which I thought sucked by the way. I didn’t cry at all…only wusses cry about stuff like that….anyway, that kind of sound.



Finally I managed to get the very last nail out of the door and took a deep breath before I opened it. It wasn’t until the last nail was out that I started to wonder, I mean really wonder, why the thing was nailed shut in the first place. What if the dead body I was so sure was in this house, was actually in this closet?



Was I prepared to open the door and have a human body fall out on top of me? Like a real live dead body? Not just one from my own imagination? I almost didn’t do it. I even walked away for a split second, going to pick up Chub Chub and ready to walk out of there, but I needed to know so I turned and in one instant opened up the door before I was able to talk myself out of it, quickly jumping out of the way in case whatever was locked in there decided to fall on me.



There was nothing…



I still stood there motionless for a few seconds, just in case there were any delayed reactions but still, nothing happened. I think I was actually disappointed about that. I mean how sick is that?



I walked over and took a look and sure enough there was nothing in there. Empty hangers but that was about it. “This makes no sense!” I mumbled to myself, realizing that this little quest of mine was beginning to give me a headache. It figures Kevin would buy a house that made absolutely no sense!



“Right Chub Chub?” I picked up my little teddy bear again as I stood staring at the empty closet and felt compelled to hug the stupid ass thing.



I suddenly felt a burning sensation in my chest and thought the bear had released some kind of toxic were wolf creepy bear powder or something. When I pulled it away from me though, I noticed the small blade sticking out of the stomach of the bear.



“Shit!” I started to panic.



The blade wasn’t that wide, which was a good thing I guess but still I had just freaking managed to stab myself in the chest, dangerously close to my friggin heart, and it hurt like hell!



That’s when my love affair with Chub Chub went south! I flung him across the room and sat on the bed, holding my hand over my heart, which was now bleeding. Okay, technically it wasn’t my heart that was bleeding, but close enough.



I didn’t really know what to do, I’m sure I looked like a moron just sitting there on a bed holding my hand up to my chest. “I wonder if I remember the words to the Pledge of Allegiance.”



I Pledge of allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the something or other about nations and God. Wow I’m an idiot.



I stood up and made my way back over to the closet after being random. I still felt like maybe there was something I was missing and now that I had been stabbed by a stuffed animal, call me crazy but I felt more than determined to figure it out.



“Why would someone feel the need to put a knife in a stuffed bear?” I didn’t have much time to ponder when I found what I was looking for. “Well I’ll be damned…” I looked off to the side and pulled on the handle that was there.



Once again more evil sounding creaking happened as the door reluctantly opened up. My nose was hit with the pungent smell of more mothballs and old air. “I wonder if this is what the 60’s smelled like?”



The door led to a small staircase. It was actually so steep it was almost like walking up a ladder. I slowly made my way up, still not believing I was doing this. This all seemed so unlike me. Not the exploring thing, because I love to explore, but the doing it alone thing. That was all new.

When I got to the top of the stairs, I had to crawl into the room that was there. It was extremely small. If I tried to stand I’d end up hitting my head, but someone child sized…or Howie sized could probably stand and have their heads just miss hitting the roof.



When I was a kid I used to dream of having a hidden room like this, a secret place to call my own. I crawled past a blanket and pillow which were wet with mildew and over to a box. I opened it up and there were even more pictures in it. “This family was obsessed with pictures!”



But these were different. The ones in the box were done by a professional. They looked like headshots. The girl in those shots was gorgeous and I knew it was Isobella. Her hair blowing in a fake breeze as she only hinted at a smile. She must have been about ten in the pictures but with makeup and her hair done, she looked much older. I placed the head shots on my leg and picked up the next batch of pictures. This time it was the same little girl but she was surrounded by different people all together. None of them looked familiar at all; none of them were in her family.



She was being held by a man as he was kissing her cheek, and a woman was standing right next to him holding a leash of a dog. “What the hell?” Maybe they were relatives or something. There were even more of these other people in all kinds of professional poses and it wasn’t until I got to the end of the box that my brain finally got with the program and realized that maybe she was an actress. Okay, I admit what helped that thought process was the fact that they were on a cover of TV Guide.



“Belle you were famous?” I guess it explained how they could afford this house.



“A child star.” I laughed at the irony. Maybe that’s why I felt a connection to her.



I was just about to open another box when I heard Kevin’s car pull up through the gate. “Funs over I guess.”



As I started crawling back over to the stairs, I noticed a drawing pad at the other end of the room. I made my way over just as I heard Kevin call my name so I grabbed it and made my way slowly back into the bedroom. “Nick!” That was the third time he yelled.



“Yeah, I’m up here. I’ll be right down.” I grimaced at the pain in my shoulder/chest.



“What are you doing up he…what the hell happened to you?” Kevin stopped his thoughts when he saw my new wound. He came over and quickly examined it.



“Chub Chub stabbed me.”



“What the hell is a chub chub?” Oh, right.



“That stuffed bear.”



“Nick?” He looked at me in disbelief.



“I’m telling you the truth, go look at it; it was a fucking knife inside of it.”



“What?” He walked over and grabbed the bear and gasped when he saw it all bloody. AH!! With my blood! That thought made me very queasy suddenly.



“Is this your blood?” I nodded at him looking at it.



“Nick how in the holy hell…only you can get stabbed by a fucking teddy bear while we are out for an hour! Jesus Christ, are you okay? Do you need to go to the hospital? Of course you need to go to the hospital; you just got stabbed by a bear! How the hell are we going to walk into an emergency room and explain that one?” Kevin was babbling. He tended to babble when he panicked.



“It’s really okay Kevin, it’s only a scratch.”



“It looks a little worse than a scratch Nick.”



“I’ll live.” I hope.



“Let’s go downstairs, maybe we can put something on it but then you are going to go get it looked at!”



“Kevin…”



“Don’t Kevin me, Jesus Nick.” He laughed then… actually laughed. “Only you, I swear.”



“I know.”



“What is that?” He asked me as he led me out of the bedroom.



“It’s a sketchpad I found.”



“Oh, there’s nothing sharp sticking out of that is there?”



“No.”



“Why was there a knife in that bear?” He asked out loud. Good to know he was finally getting around to thinking about that one.



“I think that’s the million dollar question.” I answered curious as to the first drawing I opened up to in the sketchpad, a picture of a staircase with the number 13 at the bottom of it.
Chapter 8 by Mare
Author's Notes:
Hey guys!

Once again I apologize for the delay in updating. I hope you're sticking with this story despite that. Thanks for reading! It's always appreciated by me :O)
8








When we finally got back from the hospital it was almost completely dark. Chub Chub cost me about 15 stitches and a few random smirks from the various nurses and doctors that came in looking for autographs. I was lucky, my doctor told me. A few inches to the right and I would have had some serious problems. Good thing that teddy bear’s blade wasn’t a little larger. The doctor had said with a smile as if I would’ve laughed and gone golly gee whiz…you are funny doc!



Of course it wasn’t me that felt compelled to tell half of America the reason I was there in the first place. I’d be sitting there on the gurney minding my own business and next thing you know, a few cute nurses would come in followed by AJ saying, “Tell them why you’re here Nick…you’ll love this story!”



Sometimes I really hate AJ, not like he hasn’t hurt himself doing equally dumb things.



And of course when I tried to act all coy, like I had no clue what he was talking about…that’s when Kevin not even bothering to look up from his magazine would say, “He got stabbed by his stuffed teddy bear.”



Thanks Kevin, and it’s not my stuffed teddy bear!



To make things even worse they gave me a tetanus shot! I hate shots!! You would think that all of that made me learn my lesson, but no. I was eager to get back to that house and explore some more. There had to be more in that hidden little room that held the secrets to what was really going on in that house. Then there was the question of that sketch and the number 13. With so many things left unanswered, I was understandably bummed when Kevin said we were calling it a day and heading back to the hotel.



“But Kevin, we barely got any work done.”



“And this disappoints you how?” He was talking to me as he usually does when he has decided to shut off his Nick button. I was on mental mute.



“I just think we can do some more stuff especially now that it’s darker. It’s probably also 20 degrees cooler in there. What do you say fellas?”



Both of them looked at each other and shook their heads, why did I suddenly feel like I was five? “What is the deal with you and my house?”



“What do you mean?”



“You seem slightly obsessed with it.”



“Obsessed? What? I’m not obsessed with your house Kevin.”



“I think you are.”



“Well then you’re wrong.”



“I am never wrong.” He said, wrongly.



“Well whatever dude, I just wanted to help out that’s all. If you don’t want to make use of that then your loss I guess.”



“Nick you were just stabbed, I think it’s time you relax for a bit, don’t you think?”



“Yeah by a friggin teddy bear…that’s the best dude…seriously!” I shook my head and rolled my eyes at AJ.



“I guess.” I answered Kevin, totally ignoring AJ and his fascination with my stuffed animal related injury.



“Yes, you need to lie down and relax. I mean God Nick; the doctor said you were close to dying.” I have to say that the doctor never said anything like that. Kevin can be overdramatic at times, this being one of those times.



“I’m fine.”



“Yes and we are thanking God for that.”



I smiled at him, despite me being annoyed. Kevin just always had this awesome way to make me feel cared about. Even when I was a kid, one minute I’d be ready to spit on the guy and then he’d say something like that, usually when I really needed to hear it. Those were the times when I found myself wanting to spend every waking minute around him.



Our relationship was so weird.



“Seriously, I’m glad you’re okay dude. I would have hated to explain to Teen Beat how a smelly ass bear did you in.” AJ reached back and pat my head. I was sprawled on the backseat of course.



“Does Teen Beat even exist anymore?”



“Right Carter, act like you don’t read it.”



“Do you?”



“Sometimes…” Both Kevin and I groaned as AJ continued, “Well they do have great tips on manicuring in there.”





I had about a thousand smart ass comments I could have easily spewed but the painkillers I was given were starting to take effect, so instead I just closed my eyes and enjoyed the rest of the car ride in silence.



The grandfather clock’s chiming made me look up in awe of its size. It was huge, so much bigger than me. I was child, not sure how old but there was Chub Chub in my hands. He looked evil and dirty but he wasn’t scary at all, to me anyway. That’s when I felt her jump on me. I ughed and pretended I was in pain, just like I always used to do when I was small.



She reacted by laughing. You’d think she would feel bad, but she didn’t. Leslie loved inflicting pain on people. “Get off of me Les!” I rolled on my side and off she fell, the entire time laughing.



When I stood up we were back in the house- Kevin’s house although it was my family that inhabited it. My mother was standing over the oven as she talked to my father through clenched teeth. She always was so angry when talking to him, why that memory only came back to me as an adult I’ll never know.



“Because I said so Bob!” That’s all I heard but it was enough for me to turn and make my way up the steps. I always avoided my parents when they were like this. I felt bad for leaving the rest of the kids downstairs but I wanted to be alone with my thoughts and my bear.



I climbed up to my room which was the same one with the empty nailed shut closet. I sat on the bed and looked over at the window, why did I just want to climb out? All I wanted to do was escape this place. I was so unhappy, or was it the dream me that was? Perhaps a little of both.



I heard a small voice, “Come play with me” She whispered. It was Belle, even though I have no idea what she sounded like, instantly I recognized her.



“I can’t, Chub Chub hurt me and I need rest.”



“Oh come on, don’t be such a baby.”



I got up off my bed and leaned all the down to look through that hole. Sure enough there was an eyeball staring back at me. “I can’t!” I said more definite this time.



“Since when do you listen to them?”



I shrugged, she had a point. I was a good kid and did tend to listen to my parents but it wasn’t them who told me to rest, it was Kevin and I never listened to him. “Okay, but only for a little while.”



“Yay!”



I made my way out of my room and into hers where I found her jumping on her bed. She looked just like the little girl that was in all those pictures. “Hey.” I said as I landed on her bed. It was still bouncy from her random jumps.



“I’m glad you decided to come and play with me.”



“Me too.” I was having my doubts though. Suddenly I wasn’t quite so comfortable anymore.



She finally decided to stop her jumping and landed on the bed right beside me, “Draw me a picture!” Belle placed her head on my shoulder as she said that and interlocked her arms into mine. BJ and I always did that. It was our way of always being connected, especially when she was afraid of something.



“What do you want me to draw?” I looked down to see that Chub Chub was replaced by a sketch pad. It was the same one I had found up in that secret room.



“I don’t know…make it a surprise.” I shrugged at her.



“Okay I guess, but no complaining if you don’t like how it turns out.” It was weird the way that Belle kept morphing into BJ. One minute I’d look at her and she’d be my sister and the next she’d be this other girl. The oddest thing though, is that I felt connected to both.



I started to draw a caricature of Belle/BJ. That was always what I drew best. In fact, if this music thing didn’t work out, I would have gone into art. As I drew, no matter what I meant to make, the sketch of what I had found earlier is what ended up on the pad; the one of the stairs with the number 13 on them.



“I wonder what that means.”



“I can’t believe you don’t remember silly.” I looked over at my sister who of course wasn’t my sister anymore and she was holding the teddy bear of death. Okay maybe that was a bit over the top but the thing did almost kill me, well according to Kevin anyway.



“What is it exactly?”



She smiled at me and stood up…giving me the sign to follow her, “If you come with me I’ll show you.” She said walking out of the room. Of course I stood up and followed and the next thing you know we were heading towards the attic…




“Nick…we’re home.”



“Leave me alone…dreaming…”



I felt another shake on my shoulder, “You can dream inside. I can’t carry you in there so please don’t make me try.”



I watched as Belle shrugged at me and then faded from my view as I slowly opened my eyes. “She was just about to show me something important.” I sounded testy.



“Don’t worry Nick; you can continue your wet dream once you get into your own bed.”



“Shut up AJ.” Yup, I was still testy and sore…holy mother of Christ was I sore! “Stupid Chub Chub.”



“Nick you kind of are freaking me out with the naming of the bear…”



“Sorry.” Kevin gently wrapped his arm around me and helped me towards the hotel. This was the time I was glad we were staying at one of those dingy run down hotels where you get in from the outside. No doormen and no screaming teenies waiting for us. I bet if there were, AJ would tell them all about what had happened and then I’d read about it on Live Daily where some crazy assed fans would say I was high at the time and then get on me because I wouldn’t take a picture with them even though I would have already taken about fifty gazillion with the same creepy stalkerish type girls. “Yup…still testy.”



“What?” Uh oh, I didn’t realize I said that last part out loud.



“Nothing…I am achy.”



“Here comes the whining. This is my favorite part.”



“Shut up AJ, the boy was hurt.” HA!



“I know, but I still have to bust his balls…sorry kid.” No matter how old I am…AJ still calls me a kid. And may I add that he’s the biggest kid I know!



We finally made it back to the rooms where I was thankful I’d have some quality time to myself. I needed to think this thing through. Maybe I could close my eyes and go back to where I left off in that dream. Kind of like an ‘I’ll be right back after this commercial break’ type of thing. Those hopes all faded away when AJ followed me right into my room.



“I got it from here dude.” I said hoping he’d get the hint that I wanted some alone time.



He moved past me and sat down on my bed. “Glad to hear it.” Okay then. I guess my alone time will be waiting…



“Goodnight guys! Nick if you need me…” Kevin winked at me from the door.



“Thanks Kevin.”



“Surely…I have something important to tell you guys tomorrow, okay?” He said that so seriously that I actually became nervous.



“Okay.” We both answered.



He nodded and closed the door, leaving AJ and I looking at each other kind of puzzled. “What do you think that’s all about?”



“Whatever it is, it’s something big.” AJ said as he reached over to my remote and put on the TV.



“Why do you say that?” Now I was even more worried. What if something was wrong with him?



“Because whatever it was, he tried telling me at the store and then again when we were waiting for you to get stitched up at the hospital. Both times he started then stopped himself, saying - never mind, now’s not the time.”



“You don’t think there’s something wrong with him, do you?”



AJ rolled his eyes at me like I had said something especially dumb, “Nothing like that…don’t worry.”



“Then what do you think it is?”



“I’m not sure,” He turned to me with a sinister smirk on his face, “Maybe he’s going to tell us HE killed someone and buried them in his house!”



“Shut up AJ, I’m being serious.”



His smile became softer when he saw how serious I was being, “Nick…relax.”



“How can you tell me to relax when you just said that you think he’s going to tell us something big?”



“Because your panicking isn’t going to change what he’s going to say. You know Kevin…once he makes up his mind about something, he doesn’t change it. You should stop worrying and try to get yourself some rest.”



“You think he’s made a big decision huh?”



AJ turned away from me and looked back at the TV screen nodding, “I think so…yes.”



My heart sunk instantly. I mean he has talked about it all through our last tour, that maybe this would be it for him. Kevin wasn’t happy most of our last tour. He said his heart wasn’t into it anymore and that maybe he thought it was time to move on. I really didn’t want to take him seriously. I remember looking over at Brian and when Brian looked back over at me I had stopped worrying about it. As long as Brian didn’t take him seriously, we were fine.



“That can’t be it, I mean if he was going to say something like that…wouldn’t he tell us all, and not just the two of us?”



“Maybe he already did Nicky.” Oh God…now he was calling me Nicky. That’s never a good sign.



“So you think he just kind of invited us out here to break it to us gently? Like we were still two stupid kids?”



“Maybe.”



“What the fuck? That’s the biggest load of bullshit I have ever heard.” I stood up and was furious suddenly.



“Nick calm the hell down, I could be completely wrong.”



“Maybe we should just go and ask him right now.”



I headed for the door, “I don’t want to know…” That made me stop. “If it is true, then the longer he waits to tell us, the better it is for me.” AJ sounded like a child when he said that. Like a child who was waiting to hear about the inevitable breakup of their parents.



I put my head down as I turned and moved back to the bed. I felt the same way, there was no way I was ready for that kind of news. No way at all. I felt his hand on my shoulder as I sat beside him, “I don’t want this kind of change in my life…not right now.” I confessed to him.



“Me either buddy.”



I glanced down at the sketch pad that just a few minutes ago I was so intrigued with and suddenly just wanted to rip it up and throw it away. I did reach for it though and placed it in my hand, “Those stairs…” I said to myself more than to AJ, “those are the steps leading up to the attic.”



“What?” He looked at the picture, then at me.



I pointed to the steps in the sketch, “These steps are the ones leading up to the attic, I’m almost sure of it.”



“So?”



“Tomorrow, we need to go look in the attic.”



“What!”



“There’s something in the attic, I just know it!”



“Nick are you insane? I told you I do NOT want to explore that Godforsaken house anymore!”



“Fine, then I’ll do it alone as long as you distract Kevin.”



“Okay I like that plan better.”



“You know in most shows, that’s the part where the concerned friend or brother would say no way am I letting you go up there yourself Nick, it’s too dangerous.”



He chuckled, “Good thing we’re not in one of those shows then huh?”



He winked at me, but inside my stomach was in knots and not even about the house, more about Kevin. If anything, my quest was more about getting my mind off of what was to come out of Kev’s mouth than solving some deep seeded mystery. Truthfully I’d rather have him tell us he killed somebody then that he was leaving the group.



Is that wrong?
Chapter 9 by Mare
Author's Notes:
Hello :O)

Here's chapter 9. Thanks for being patient and I hope you enjoy.
9




I didn’t have a very good sleep, which was no surprise really. It usually takes me a long time to actually fall asleep because my minds goes a mile a minute. My mind went to Kevin over and over again, even when I tried to sidetrack myself with thoughts of the little mystery of his house, in the end I always went right back to him.



He was going to tell us something big, something that would change everything and the more I thought about it, the more I was certain of what it was. He was going to leave the group. It made perfect sense really.



That’s why he was working on a new house in Kentucky for Kris. It wasn’t just going to be a getaway for him; it was going to be his actual new home. A place he could hide until all the fans got over the thought of him leaving. It was so out of the way, really it’s a great hiding place.



In my head all night long I dreamt up ways of possibly stopping this from happening. Huge ass speeches about loyalty and not giving up on what made you what you are. I thought about taking a quiet, calm approach. I thought about yelling and screaming. I thought about threatening to jump off a roof if he left.



But I finally figured out the best way to deal with it was to NOT deal with it, so the plan was to change the subject whenever he tried to bring it up. If that meant keeping my distance from him all day, then so be it. I wasn’t going to let him leave me, not after all we have been through together. Sure it sounds selfish, but no more selfish than him leaving the group, right?



I gave up on laying down at around 4 in the morning and finally just sat up in bed and stared at the sketch pad a bit. I even began to draw my own little pictures, feeling slightly guilty for disrupting the pages after all of these years. Maybe if I made my own little staircase, the reason this one was on the page might jump out at me.



When the sun came out I was no closer to answers as I was when AJ finally left my room last night. I have a feeling his night was probably as restless as mine was. That became clear when he came and got me for breakfast. He was wearing his sunglasses, even though it was raining outside.



“I always panic when I see you wearing those things.”



He yawned as he plopped on my bed, taking his glasses off and placing them next to him. “Yeah? Well there’s no need to. I didn’t realize it was raining outside.”



“Did you sleep well?”



“Not really….what about you?”



I shook my head and sat down on the floor with my back to the TV so I could face him. “I’ve been thinking about this Kevin thing. I know what we need to do.”



“Bribe him? I still have the pictures we took of him in Germany.”



“Oh my God, you do?” My eyes lit with delight at that one. I’ll never forget that night ever!



“Oh yeah, I knew one day we’d need to bring out the big guns!”



“I don’t think that would convince him to stay, do you?”



“No, but it would be humorous to see his face when he saw those pictures though!”



“Would this be before or after he murdered us?”



“Us? Not us, you buddy. It was all your idea, remember?”



“Please, I was only 15 years old if even AJ. You completely put me up to it. I just went along and besides you’re the one with the proof, not me.”



“Okay good point, so I guess bribery is out. What was your plan?”



“Avoidance.”



“And how are we going to do that?”



“By changing the topic whenever it comes up. I don’t want to have this conversation with him today or anytime in the near future.”



“What if it’s not a big deal though?”



“It’s Kevin…if he says it’s a big deal, it’s going to be a big deal.”



“Well, you better think of a way to avoid him soon because when I passed his room I heard him singing to himself.”



“That means he’s looking in the mirror and brushing his hair.” I said. It was a little scary how we had each other’s routines down to a science.



He nodded, “It’s only a matter of time before he knocks on the door.”



“Every time he starts up looking serious let’s just tell a joke or something.”



“Nick, Kevin always looks serious even when HE tells a joke.”



“True, well let’s act extra silly then, he won’t even try to be serious with us if we act extra silly.”



AJ nodded at me just as a light tap on my door was heard, “Here we go.” I said as I stood up and grabbed for the door.



There he was his hair all wet and still whistling. “You’re not dressed yet.”



“I will be in a minute…come on in.”



“How’s the chest?” He asked, gingerly putting his hand on my boob and yes I am aware of how wrong that sounded.



“It’s kind of sore today; I didn’t get much sleep last night.” Maybe by playing the sympathy card, he’d feel sorry for me and not tell us what he wanted to.



“I’m sorry little man; would you like to skip working today and just stay in bed and rest?” He was giving me the out I needed. If I stayed in bed, he wouldn’t be able to tell me his big news and I highly doubt he would tell AJ alone. But then again, if I wasn’t in his house, I couldn’t investigate it properly. “I’ll tell you what…why don’t we go get some breakfast, my treat, and after we’re done you can tell me how you’re feeling, okay?” I guess I must have waited to long to give him a decision.



“Okay.”



“You ready Mclean? You look like you’re about to fall asleep.” I heard Kevin say when I came out of the bathroom… all ready to go.



I looked over at AJ who had his head on my pillow with his eyes closed. “Yeah yeah yeah, I’m coming.”



Kevin gave me a smile and winked at me as we made our way to his car. My chest really was sore after all so I started rubbing at it. “You sure you’re okay buddy?”



“Yeah…just a bit on the sore side I guess.”



“I think you should take a day off…”



“Maybe we all should, you know chill out for the day.” AJ seemed annoyed that I was once again getting off the hook while he was going to get stuck doing more work.



“I don’t know guys. I can probably handle doing some easy stuff. Maybe I can just go up to the attic and see what’s up there or something.”



Kevin shrugged at me, “It’s up to you. I’ll be perfectly fine if you need to chill today. AJ and I can handle things alone.”



I’m not sure why that bothered me but it did. The way he said it, was almost like he wanted me to not be around or something. Maybe he only wanted to hang out with AJ today and was hoping I’d take the ‘lazy’ way and back out. In fact, he was probably so certain of that he had no idea what to do now that I was saying I’d go along.



I’m sure my thinking was far from rational but after being up all night long and feeling kind of crappy today that’s how I took it. So therefore even if I was dying I’d be going to Kevin’s today! There was no way I was going to let him win!



“Nah, I’ll go and explore the attic. It shouldn’t be too bad just hanging up there and going through boxes. I’ll just let you know what to keep and what to throw away.”



“I don’t plan on keeping anything Nick; we’re throwing it all away. There’s no need to even go through it. It’s all just going to be tossed.”



Why was he making this so difficult?



“I’d still like to look around up there though.”



“But it’ll be hot and dusty no; I think you should just stay at the hotel today.”



“Well, I don’t really care what you think I should do. I’m coming!”



Uncomfortable silence time…just like whenever we had a fight. We always left a few minutes of quiet before one of us usually spoke.



Most of the time Kevin would be the first one to speak because nine out of ten times, I’d end up leaving the room in a ‘huff’ as Brian liked to call it.



The silence lasted the entire car ride over to Denny’s, the only real restaurant around his new place. We sat at a booth and he threw his jacket next to AJ, “I’ll be right back.” He told Bone, me? he didn’t even look at. I was feeling guilty now. I knew I’d have to apologize to him when he came back so I hope he takes his time.



“What the hell are you doing dude?” I looked up from my deep thoughts to see AJ scowling at me. May I just add that when AJ scowls he looks kind of like a raisin. He does, check it out next time you see him scowling.



“What?”



“Why are you fighting with Kevin? We don’t want him to leave the band, remember?”



“Like that’s going to make him quit. If he decided he wants to leave then he’s going to leave J. There’s nothing that’s going to change that.”



“True, but maybe now he’ll be more than happy to tell us all about it. Besides, if you had said you’d stay back at the hotel, he would have never told us anything. Now I feel like he’s going to lay it on us now. Thanks a lot man.”



“Don’t blame me for this!”



“Then who should I blame?”



“Oh I don’t know…Kevin maybe? I mean he’s the one leaving, isn’t he?”



“Leaving what?” AJ and I both looked up at Kevin as he sat back down. “What are the two of you talking about?” He asked with a suspicious look on his face. He used that look often with the two of us, especially in our younger days. He was a pro at that look, in fact that look would get me into trouble more times than I’d like to admit. Once I saw that ‘it’s only a matter of time before I know what you’re up to Nick’ look on his face I ended up spilling the beans to him before I actually got into trouble and you can probably guess who I would in turn end up ratting on.



“Nick was saying how he thinks he should leave and go back to the hotel and rest.” AJ cut in, probably before I had a chance to get him into trouble for something.



Kevin looked at me surprised, “Really? Are you feeling okay?”



Damn AJ and his quick thinking, but most of all damn him for ruining any chance I had at exploring today! I nodded, “Yeah I’m feeling okay but I guess maybe you’re right. I should just kind of chill today.”



“Excuse me? Is hell freezing over? Did Nick Carter just say I was actually right about something?”



AJ of course got a huge kick out of that, but I just smiled and sarcastically added a “Yeah…uh I guess you got me there.”



“After breakfast we’ll go back to the hotel and drop you off kiddo.” He winked at me and did that annoying clicking thing with his tongue but I guess that also meant we were off the hook for now. He seemed a lot happier coming back from the bathroom then he did when he left the table. I wonder if he took happy pills or something.



“And you’re dropping me off too?” You had to love the sound of desperation in AJ’s voice. He hated that house. For what it’s worth though, I was kind of jealous about the quality time they’d be spending together so in a way I wanted him to stay behind as well. Even though the thought of him jumping and squirming every single time the floor creaked gave me great pleasure.



“Nope, I thought maybe we could go play some golf. You up for that?”



What? Golf!!! That’s not fair!! I could easily play golf with them. “Why the hell are you going to play golf?” Yup, just like that I was back in defensive mode.



“Because it’s too hot to be in the house without air conditioning and I just figured it would be something we could do without you since you hate golf. You do still hate golf, right? Or did that change?”



Damn it! “I don’t know…I kind of play a little bit now.”



“He actually came out with Rok and me a few times.” AJ added as if Kevin would never just take my word for it or anything.



“Sorry buddy, I didn’t know. Well, you’re more than welcome to join us then. Take a break from cleaning and have some fun. Although I’m not sure it’s a good idea for you to be out in the hot sun all day long. Maybe we could do something else, got any suggestions? Is there a movie you want to see or anything?”



I felt dumb for feeling excluded, it happens to the best of us though, “Nah, I think I’m going with the original plan and lounge naked in bed all day long.”



“Okay dude…way too much info for me.”



“Oh please, we all know how much the thought of my nakedness excites you Bone.”



“You sure?” Kevin asked while placing his shoulder on my arm and looking me square in the eyes. Another thing he always did to me when I was still a kid. He said he could tell when I was lying to him by looking at my eyes.



“Yup, I’m positive…go and have some fun.”



The rest of our breakfast was quite uneventful. I have to say not even once did I think that Kevin was going to say anything about leaving the band. I was beginning to think that maybe it was all in AJ’s head. It wouldn’t be the first time either.



As we were driving back to the hotel out of the blue and unexpectedly he said, “Guys, I have to tell you something…”



I don’t know why I said what I said next. I blame AJ and his Germany talk earlier on in the day, “Kevin do you remember the Lederhosen incident?”



“Where did that come from?” He half smiled at me and my randomness although it wasn’t very random at all. He didn’t have to know that though.



“AJ and I were talking about that this morning before you came to get us. That time in Germany when you got really drunk…”



“Why on earth were you guys talking about that?”



“Because I never remember laughing so hard in my life, I think I had milk pour out of my nose I was laughing so hard.”



“I don’t remember even putting those lederhosen on…it was all a big blur really.”



“What would you do if I told you I had pictures of that?”



He let out a laugh, “You have got to be kidding me!”



“I don’t have them…actually AJ does.”



“What?” Just as I hoped he would, he turned his attention to J who wasn’t very impressed with my tattling to say the least.



“I’m not sure if I do or not…uh…. I was just telling Nick that I remembered it…uh, that’s all.” He followed that up with a very nasty look at me.



Once again…very raisin-ish. But whatever the case, my little distraction worked because next thing you knew, we were at the hotel! Whatever he wanted to tell us, he never got the chance! Phew!



“I’ll see you guys later then!” I said turning to them and smiling as AJ got out of the back seat and hopped into the front.



“Go rest and take a nap, we’ll come and grab you for dinner and possibly a movie later, okay little man?”



“Sounds good.” I waved as they pulled away.



I walked into my room and collapsed on the bed, I was really tired and a nap would have done me a world of good but once again that damn sketch pad was like screaming to me. Why couldn’t I just drop it for once?



“Ignore it Nick and take a damn nap!” I closed my eyes to get the thought of that house and its stupid mystery out of my head but to no avail.



“You know it’s a good thing I’m not a god dammed cat.” I said as I stood up and grabbed for that sketch pad.



After picking it up off the floor and staring at it for a few more minutes, something else popped out at me, something that I hadn’t noticed before. There at the very top if the steps was a tiny and I mean really tiny picture of Chub Chub, at least it really looked like Chub Chub. It was so small it could have very easily been my imagination but I swear it was there.



“I wish I owned a magnifying glass or something!”



That had me looking around the room for the bear. Had I left it as Kevin’s or did I bring it back with me? I started looking all around my room and smiled when I saw Chub Chub’s leg sticking out from under the dresser. He was behind my suitcase. I probably put him there so this way the guys wouldn’t think I was insane for having the stuffed teddy bear in my room with me, especially after it attacked me the way it did.



I bent down and looked at him up close and then back at the drawing of the steps. Yup, this bear was the same one in the picture, there was no mistaking it now. How on earth did I miss it before?



You might think I’m stupid for what I did next, but I pushed down on its belly. I mean it’s not like there would be two knives in there or anything, right? I did feel something though, it felt metallic and I was scared for a second, until I realized what it was.



“I’ll be damned…this is getting very interesting now.” I said as I reached into the hole that the knife had left behind and pulled out a key. It was a small key, “Just perfect for a small room.” I smiled as I called up a taxi to take me back to Kevin’s place.



They would be gone for hours playing golf, leaving me with more than enough time to explore the attic and of course the basement, where I knew a perfect door that would match the key I was holding in my hands.



I didn’t even think about danger, I was too fixated on finding answers.



Stupid me.
Chapter 10 by Mare
Author's Notes:
Happy New Year everyone and sorry about the long delays on all the stories. I hope it hasn't been too long that you've forgotten about them. If you did, I wouldn't blame you. Anyway...thanks for reading. As always you guys are the best!!

~ Mare
10




I got to Kevin’s house a little after 10 in the morning. I made the cab drop me off right by the very creepy gate. It took forever to get a cab which is why I didn’t get there earlier. I think there’s probably only one taxi in all of Kentucky which is just another reason everything is so slow around here. As the cab drove away….slowly I might add, I got a good look at the house from the front. “Why on earth did you buy this place Kevin? It’s like Amityville horror house!” It was really the definition of creepy. Even the flowers and bushes surrounding it, had a very creepy feel.



Now that I was here, I didn’t want to be. I just had that horrible feeling in the bottom of my gut telling me how stupid I was for doing this. First of all, the place was going to be locked. Kevin Richardson is not the type of person to just leave his front door opened. So that meant I was going to have to break in. Maybe I was wrong, but I know Kevin…I’m not wrong.



Slowly I made my way up the creaky but now stable steps to the front door and closed my eyes before turning the knob. My life would be so much easier if he left the door opened. But just like I thought, the door was locked. “Damn you Kevin!” Why couldn’t he be more like me? I never locked my door. Well, now I do but before the show and having all my siblings live with me I always left the thing unlocked.



I thought about that for a minute and smiled. It was because of Kevin’s incessant nagging that I began locking my door to being with. He would lecture me for hours about safety and how naïve I was and how I wouldn’t be happy until some deranged fan walked right into my house and stabbed me with a knife repeatedly. Yes he said repeatedly because in Kevin’s mind, once or twice wouldn’t have had the same effect on me I guess. “It happened to George Harrison and he had a huge and expensive security system. He didn’t leave his front door opened so any Joe Shmoe from the street could walk in and kill him.”



He went on and on like that for hours! After that I started locking my front door. The first night the kids were at my new place, they went out without locking the door and I found myself sitting in the living room giving them the very same lecture I always got. Funny how that works out isn’t it?



I checked under his welcome mat and of course there was no key there either. He was going to make this as hard as possible for me. How the hell was I going to get into this place? I didn’t come all this way only to have to turn around and go back to the hotel. “Okay think Nick…think!” I let out a sigh and walked down the front porch steps stopping when I saw one of the small windows which led down to the basement cracked slightly opened.



I knelt down and pushed on the window and smiled when it gave way. Now I just hoped my fat ass could actually get into the window. I can see it now, calling 911 because I was stuck in the basement window. Hearing the paramedics commenting, “Isn’t that the same guy who was stabbed by a teddy bear yesterday?”



Yup, sometimes I love my life.



Luckily I sucked my stomach in and was able to roll my way into the window. Of course that meant falling to the ground and smacking my face against the cold floor, but at least I was inside.



It wasn’t until I stood up that I realized how creeped out I was in the basement earlier. Well really until I saw the broken ping pong table sitting there. “Oh right…” I tried not to let it get to me. It wasn’t nearly as scary down there this time around. Maybe it’s because I didn’t have a wussy AJ freaking me out every ten seconds. Besides this was the home of the tiny door. I reached into my pocket and pulled out the key. I was certain that the key was going to get me into the little room.



I walked down that odd hallway full of obscure drawings on the wall and noticed once again how Chub Chub was displayed in and around all the scenes. “Seems like he’s a popular little guy.” I said to myself. I found it helped to calm me down when I talked to myself. I always did it right before I went on stage. The guys always thought I was talking to them but truthfully it was just me talking to me.



I bent down next to the door and jiggled at the lock. Was it wrong of me to open it up? I mean first I go into that secret room in the closet now I’m about to enter another closed off portion of the house. How would I like it if someone went through my stuff when I wasn’t around? But then again if it happened after I was long gone and I left everything there for whoever found it in the first place, I guess it wouldn’t matter would it. Way to justify breaking and entering Carter!



I placed the key in the lock and just as I had predicted, it fit perfectly. I hesitated briefly before actually turning it though. Putting it in was one thing but turning it, was another. “Do I really want to do this?” I muttered under my breath, but my fingers didn’t give my brain a chance to reply as they automatically went for the click and just like that the small door came slowly creaking opened.



I was hit with a putrid smell almost immediately. Something died in that small little room at least that’s what it smelled like. An old rotting corpse, not that I’d know what that would smell like in the first place but I bet this smell was pretty darned close to the real deal.



Closing my eyes, I made sure to take a very deep breath as I opened the door all the way. It was so dark in that room I could barely see a thing. One thing I did know was I wasn’t going in there unless I had a flashlight or something with me. There was no way I was going to accidentally fall over or sit on a dead body. No freaking way in hell. One problem though…one of many so far I suppose, what if the door to the kitchen was locked? Kevin had locked it the last time we were trapped down here, hence the reason we WERE trapped down here.



“I’m such a bone head. Why didn’t I just go with Kevin and AJ?”



I walked back out of that small hallway and towards the steps leading up to the kitchen. I knew why I was here…because at the end of the day, I’m an adventurer. Yes, there are two kinds of people in this world. Those that just sit back and do nothing except maybe paint their nails and golf, and those that go ahead and jump right into the thick of things. Get their feet wet and be the action. I was one of those people….I… “What the holy fuck was that?”



I stopped right at the top of the stairs when I heard it. Why did I always have to ‘hear’ things? Why couldn’t I just be deaf…well… to things at least? I’m pretty sure I heard footsteps up above. Creaking around in the kitchen, where I was just centimeters from being myself.



No panicking Carter…it’s just the wind or something. Yes the wind is walking in the kitchen, probably just making itself some tea…you dumbass. But an even more horrifying thought popped into my head. What if it was Kevin? What if they had changed their minds and came back to the house instead of golfing? And why was that more horrifying than something or somebody else being there? What the hell is wrong with me?



While all of these scenarios, none of them pretty by the way, were going through my head, I realized that I hadn’t heard any more noise at all. Just the one little scamper and that was it. Maybe it was just a mouse. Do ghosts scamper? No they certainly do not and I know for a fact Kevin does not scamper so it wasn’t him. Chances are it was just my over-active imagination getting the best of me. With that thought in my head I slowly turned the knob and smiled when the door actually opened. “Wow something went right for me…cool.”



I scrounged around for a flashlight and happily found one pretty quickly. It was so hot and muggy already that I broke into a sweat after only a few minutes. The place was so stuffy. Now that I was up there, I thought about continuing on my mission to the attic instead of venturing back down to the basement. I mean that was my original plan anyway wasn’t it? Before I found that key I had every intention of going into the attic and looking around.



Kevin said he was going to throw everything away up there so maybe it made more sense to go there first. And okay honestly, I was in no big rush to go back to the small room and find out what that rancid smell was so instead of going down, I went up towards the attic.



The second floor was even hotter than the first one was and I found myself not looking forward to how stifling hot the attic would be, but I continued on anyway. I felt that same zing of adrenaline hitting me as I got to the bottom of the attic steps. This was it…the place where I was really meant to be.



As I got closer to the top of the stairs the air became cooler somehow. I felt comfortable and oddly calm, like once again I belonged there. All the anxiety I had felt when I was in the basement was washed away by the time I reached my destination.



When I stepped into the attic it felt as thought I had stepped into a time warp of some kind. Everything about this room screamed ‘the past’. There were tons of old chairs and couches lining the walls, full of dust and discolored from neglect. Stacks of albums were piled high as well as old dishes and utensils. Piled so high you could make a wall out of them if you really wanted to. The odd thing was how neatly everything was organized. The way it was set up left a huge space right in the middle of the floor.



“It looks like a ballroom up here.” I found myself saying as I passed by an antique mirror. It had a small crack in it and was a bit dirty which distorted my image. It made me look old and sad. But maybe it was just the expression on my face. Maybe I was sad? Why did I feel so sad suddenly?



I took a few steps back and managed a few deep breaths. Thoughts of my mother came into my head suddenly. A memory of her and I cleaning the attic of the nursing home we used to live in. That was back when she was kind of nice and happy herself. I enjoyed being around her back then. I missed that.



“Where did that come from?” I hated when I suddenly got all emotional. I tried my best to distract myself from full out wallowing in self pity.



My eyes scanned the attic, searching for anything I could explore but aside from all the furniture, there didn’t appear to be anything more in here. It was a big room though, it was all opened and just about the size of the living room, dining room and kitchen combined. Maybe behind one of these couches there was a box or something.



I continued down the long hall looking from side to side and occasionally bending down to see if I saw boxes hiding behind furniture, but nothing stood out at me, until I passed by the old, gray recliner. I almost missed it, but lucky for me, my shoe which had untied itself almost made me trip over my feet. When I looked down, ready to curse at myself a saw carved into the floorboard the number 13.



“Well isn’t this odd…” I decided to bend down to get a closer look and noticed that one of the nails holding the floorboard in place was gone. That made me bite at the inside of my cheek as I searched for something to help me pry the board up. Under the recliner there was a crow bar, “That’s convenient.” I reached underneath and grabbed it out, realizing that’s probably how whoever hid something under there did it.



The board came off pretty easily and lying there hidden by a few cobwebs and a whole lot of dust, was a leather bound book. I reached in and pulled it out, quickly blowing on it to rid it of a spider that was sleeping.



It said Isabella on it in nice script, monogrammed along the front cover. “Why would you hide this up here?” I sat there and opened it up and sure enough, instantly I found out.



If anyone but me is reading this, it probably means I’m dead…so better read this carefully and take everything I say to heart.



I was just about to turn the page when I heard the sound of shattered glass. I stood up and walked over to the window and noticed a car parked out front. It wasn’t Kevin’s it belonged to someone else, and that person had just broken in.



I immediately heard a small commotion coming from downstairs. It sounded like at least three people. “You check the basement, you check the second floor and I’ll head to the attic.” The voice said.



“Shit.” I had no idea what to do, so I found that huge mirror and hid behind it as I heard someone running up the attic steps.
Chapter 11 by Mare
Author's Notes:
Hello!

Happy Valentine's Day, not that this is a very Valentine's Day type update or anything lol

Here's a new chapter for you! Hope you enjoy and as always, thanks for reading! :O)
~ 11 ~






My heart was beating so fast in my chest I swear to God I was having a heart attack. I’m sure it was stupid of me to be as nervous as I was, after all, they were the ones breaking in, not me. Well…okay technically I did break in too but in the end, Kevin would vouch for me. He doesn’t know these people, as far as I know…unless he did know them and asked them to come here to fix something while he was golfing? All the thoughts running through my mind in the span of a few minutes were almost overwhelming. Funny where your brain can go when you think you are in danger.



At that moment I probably could have justified myself out of any situation. ‘Sure they may be huge people eating Gila monsters but didn’t I read somewhere that they don’t eat blondes? So, even if they show up here, I’ll be okay. I’ll just feed them carrots or something. Huge people eating Gila monsters like carrots, at least that’s the rumor’ and okay, enough with the Gila monsters and I’m not really all that blonde anyway so I’d be screwed! I have always wanted a Gila monster though…maybe if I survive this; it’ll be my reward…I’m babbling!



They were right under me now, talking at the base of the attic steps. I couldn’t make out what was being said, I was just grateful for the fact that they stopped running upwards once they hit the second floor. It sounded as if they were going from room to room. I wish I was able to make out how many there were. I know for a fact it was more than one, unless they weren’t people but one giant millipede, now if that was the case, I’d prefer it to be men with guns because millipedes just freak me the hell out…okay I’m doing it again, I’ll stop.



After a few minutes I was able to get my breathing back to normal and manage to make my legs move enough to slowly creep out from behind the mirror and closer to the steps. Maybe if I could get close enough, I’d be able to hear what was being said, if anything although it seemed eerily quiet down there. Maybe they had actually found what it was they were looking for because that’s what it sounded like to me. That they were searching for something specific.



I clutched the diary in my hands, what if it was this thing? I mean it did mention death on the front page, didn’t it? Maybe these people wanted to make sure they got their hands on it before anyone else did. But then again how odd it would be, the timing of it all, that the second someone finds the diary, they are here looking for it.



Why was it so quiet down there? I mean there wasn’t even one single stir coming from underneath. Maybe they knew I was here and were just waiting for me to come down the steps. My heart started picking up it’s pace once again. What the hell am I going to do? As of right now, I’m trapped in the attic of Kevin’s creepy house while weird people are invading it!



I did have the option of making a call. Maybe calling Kevin and getting him to rescue my ass! But then again, why would I do that? Then I’d have to endure a Kevin lecture. I briefly weighed the pros and cons of both circumstances. I lifted one hand, Kevin lecture? And then the other hand, being killed by bad guys?



Kevin lecture….being killed by bad guys?



I flipped open my phone, maybe the lecture wouldn’t be that bad this time around and besides, I’ve gotten pretty good at blocking him out completely when I really want to. So I dialed his phone kind of hoping he wouldn’t pick up but yet disappointed when he actually didn’t.



I almost left a message but then felt like it was a dumb idea so hung up instead. I could try AJ’s number, duh! Why didn’t I think of that before? I get NO lecture that way and still don’t get killed by the bad guys, but then again that meant having to depend on AJ to come and save me. He has done it before though I guess. I remember there was this one time when I was really young where I was in desperate need of rescuing and he was the only one available to help. He actually came through for me back then. He punched someone in the face in fact, and then we both ran like hell. Good lord he bragged about that for about five months steady before finally letting me forget he did that for me.



I slowly walked away from the steps to make the call to AJ, just to make sure I couldn’t be heard. There was still not a sound coming from below, it was very odd. But I made the call anyway, mostly because the silence was deafening.



“Yeah?”



“I have a situation.”



“Nick, you always have a situation.”



“Shh! don’t let Kevin hear you.”



“He’s nowhere near me. He’s at the concession stand grabbing a Mountain Dew. How he drinks that stuff I’ll never know. It’s like radiator coolant.”



“AJ…”



“What?”



“I’m at Kevin’s place.”



“I KNEW IT!”



“Shut up….there’s people here.”



“What do you mean people?”



“They broke in.”



“Broke in?”



“Yes and now I think they are downstairs and I’m trapped in the attic.”



“Jesus fucking Christ Nick, what the hell is WRONG with you? Did you call 911?”



“No, I’m calling you.”



“What the hell good will that do?”



“I don’t know what to do.”



“So you call me?”



“AJ, stop yelling at me and help me out here.”



“What should I do?”



“I don’t know!” And at that moment, I didn’t. Calling AJ served no purpose at all really. I was just scared and didn’t want to be alone, like I’m going to tell him that though. I know I probably should have called the police before AJ but my brain just doesn’t work that way.



“Do you still hear them? Are they armed? Oh my God Nick, what a dumbass you are! I can’t believe you went to Kevin’s!” He was talking very fast now. Great, I managed to stress out AJ, not like that was such a hard task to begin with.



“I haven’t heard them in a while and yes I am pretty sure they have arms…” AH! Did I just say that? “I mean they probably are armed!” God! I used to do that a lot when I was younger. Say the dumbest things. Even though I am a smart guy, sometimes I tend to say what just pops in my head. That’s why management never wanted me to do the interviews. If I did the interviews we’d be talking about giant Gila monsters that eat blondes and bad guys with arms.



“You’re pretty sure they have arms huh?” I heard the smile on his face. I actually HEARD it! Yup, that’ll come back to haunt me. “Are you positive anyone is even in there? I mean if you haven’t heard them in a while…”



“I don’t know.”



“Now you don’t know?”



“Yeah AJ…I don’t know!” Okay now he was just pissing me off! “I’m going to go downstairs and check.”



“Nick, are you sure that’s a wise choice? I mean what if…”



“I have you on the phone, if I need help you’ll know.”



“I don’t think that’s a good idea buddy…” But even as he was saying that I had already made my way to the top of the stairs once again. Not hearing a sound I carefully made my way as slow as possible down the steps. With each one I took I inhaled another breath. This was a stupid idea…I kept saying over and over again in my head.



“What are you doing?” AJ yelled urgently, almost making me jump and fall down the last three steps.



“Shh! I’m on the second floor now.” I whispered knowing that if they were indeed up here they would have come out and killed me or maimed me or whatever it is people do to people when they are found somewhere they aren’t expected to be.



“I can’t believe you! You know if you get yourself killed it’s your own damn fault!”



But I knew at that moment that I wasn’t going to get myself killed because I was suddenly sure there was no longer anyone left in the house but me.



“I think they’re gone.”



“Why do you think that?”



“Because it’s totally quiet here…” I walked over to the window in Belle’s room, “And there aren’t any cars parked out front.”



“You didn’t hear them leave?”



“No.”



“Man if you are making this all up I’m going to kill your ass Carter.”



“Why would I do that AJ?”



“Because you’re a horse’s ass?”



I was angry again and wanted to tell him off, but I couldn’t really find fault with what he was saying. I mean it’s not like I haven’t ever done anything like this before for attention. Granted I was a kid back then, but still. And what if this was all a giant figment of my imagination to begin with? Is it possible no one was even in here? Could I have just made the whole thing up? Maybe my overactive imagination was just getting the better of me again.



Great, now I’m doubting myself.



“Whatever dude, I’m sorry I called you! Don’t tell Kevin I was here!”



“Nick, are you sure there is no one in that house with you?”



“Yeah, I’m pretty positive.”



He sighed, I could tell he was worried and that made me feel good. After all this time to know they still worry. “Okay, just get back to the hotel before we do, bonehead!” And then the worry was gone.



“Yeah, I will.”



I hung up with AJ and sat on the bed, once again looking down at the diary I was holding. Why on earth would she say something like that? If someone was reading this, she was dead. That seems a bit on the extreme side. I randomly opened to the middle of the book, hoping maybe I’d find some answers but the page I turned to was blank… as was the one before that and the one before that etc…



It appeared that she didn’t get very far in this diary, so I went to the beginning and finally found an entry.



It’s funny how paranoid everyone around here thinks I am. If they only knew why! I wish I could tell someone. Lord knows more than anything I want to be able to talk about what happened, but I just can’t. So for now, writing in this thing is my only outlet and even doing that…



She ended it abruptly.



The next page there was just a tiny bit more.



This is ridiculous. I feel like I’m always being watched nowadays. I am in way over my head and I don’t know what to do! I wish someone would help me out! I KNEW I should have left when I had the chance. Packed a bag and left in the middle of the night, never looking back. I just couldn’t do it though. I couldn’t leave him behind. He meant too much to me! So here I stay, and I know by doing that I’ve just sealed my fate. But you know what? It’ll all be worth it as long as the truth comes out in the end…



I hate my life!




I felt so bad for her. She sounded so anxious she actually made me feel anxious. What was so horrible that she felt like she was doomed? What happened? Maybe I should venture back down to the basement. Maybe that little room holds the answers. Or maybe I was holding the answer right in my hands.



I forced myself to open up to another entry.



I found an old script the other day. When I read it and looked at myself on the cover I just about balled my eyes out. That life seems so far away from me now. To think, when I was a child I could have been happy. I don’t recall being happy really, but back then it seemed like I was. I never thought about the things I think about now. I want that time in my life back. I’d do anything for it to come back.



I can’t believe I have thrown everything away!




All her entries were short, followed by scribbles and doodles underneath. She was quite the good artist. She had a lot of talent but was still unhappy.



“Like me.”



That thought made me close the book and just sit there for a second. Once again that feeling of sadness crept up on me without even a hint that it was going to happen. I hated feeling this way, but I found myself doing it more and more. Everything would be fine and dandy until suddenly, thoughts started flowing through my head. It really started happening when my siblings moved into that house with me. They forced me to remember things I had wanted to forget. Details of my life from when I was a kid, how unhappy we all were and how much we used to live in fear of my parents and their fighting had been just a hazy memory. Now it felt so real, that I could almost hear them in the room next to this one.



Wait!



I looked up slowly because I was hearing arguing in the room next to this one. That’s when it occurred to me how wrong I was about them being gone. They weren’t gone, they hadn’t just disappeared, and they were in that secret room in the closet. That’s why I couldn’t hear them before. They were up there looking around. Now, they were no longer upstairs but in the room right next to mine and they sounded mad. I couldn’t make out what was being said but they were fighting it sounded like. Two voices, both male. I instantly stood up; looking for a place to hide but there was nowhere to go. Of course this is when they decided to leave that room and walk towards this one. Panicking, the only thing I could think of to do was drop to the ground and lay low on the side of the bed that wasn’t facing them. If I was a little smaller I could have just crawled under there but I didn’t fit.



I managed to duck down just as they entered. “I was so sure it’d be up there! That’s where he said it was.”



“Well what the fuck do we do now? It’s not like we can come back anytime soon.”



“Maybe we just looked in the wrong place.”



“We covered that entire room dude; it’s not like its huge or anything. Maybe he just forgot… I mean he’s old.”



“I don’t think you just forget things like that!”



“Whatever, we need to get out of here before the owner comes back.”



They sounded young, maybe my age even, perhaps a little older than that but it was hard to tell. They did sound alarmed that they couldn’t find what they were looking for though. It just proved that there was something buried in this house just waiting to be found.



“Maybe he had the wrong room, maybe it’s in here?”



“He said the secret room. There’s no secret room in here dumbass!”



I closed my eyes, afraid to breathe as they both made their way farther into the room. All it would take was one of them walking about another foot and then I’d be seen. God, why couldn’t I be smaller? If I survive this, I promise to go on a diet so next time I am trapped in a girl’s room in a creepy house when two men are invading it, I’ll be able to hide under the bed.



The floor boards creaked once more as they walked a little further inside. I heard one of them grab for something on the dresser right by the door. “Parker we need to go…” The other one said, sounding impatient.



“I know…I can’t believe we didn’t find it!”



“Let’s go!”



Finally they both walked out of the room and headed down the steps. When I was sure they were a safe distance away, I allowed myself to sit up. Taking a few deep breaths and trying to calm myself down I stood up and walked slowly towards the door. I wasn’t sure if they were gone or not. Once again the talking had stopped but I wasn’t about to go downstairs and risk being caught so I just kind of sat on the bed and waited.



Maybe I wasn’t cut out for being a detective in the first place. Maybe I would just drop this entirely. Forget this woman ever existed because what business was this of mine anyway? I mean let’s think about this for a second, did I like it when other people got into my business? No, so why should I be snooping around in this person’s private life?



I decided this was it; I was just going to drop it all and forget that Belle even existed. I nodded at myself and my grown up decision just as my phone rang.



“What the hell was that?” I heard from downstairs.



This was not good at all!



I bent down to pick it up, as it had fallen out of my pocket when I felt a burning sensation on the back of my head.



Then blissful darkness.
Chapter 12 by Mare
Author's Notes:
Whoa what is this? Is Mare updating a story twice in the span of two days time? This has not happened in a very very loong time! We shall have to thank Mother Nature for making this possible by giving me two and a half snow days! lol

Don't get too used to this though guys lol but for now here's chapter 12 and as always thanks for reading! My readers rock! :O)
~ 12 ~








“What just happened up here?”



“I didn’t know what else to do!”



“Where did he come from?”



“He was in here…I heard the phone and just didn’t know what to do.”



“So, you hit him? He’s not dead is he?”
I felt cold fingers on my neck; my guess is looking for a pulse. I couldn’t open my eyes, because I was somewhere in the state of half awake and half asleep. I should have turned around and kicked him away, made him leave me the hell alone, but instead I just laid there.



“Okay he’s alive. I feel a pulse…this is just great! Did he see you?”



“No, he was bending down to get his phone. I snuck up on him from behind.”




Probably the most disturbing part of this entire conversation was the fact that it was a girl who knocked me on my ass! Yes, a girl. Sure she blindsided me, but still.



“He’s groaning…we need to get out of here.” I was groaning? Nice to know…



I heard them scrambling around and as hard as I tried to open my eyes and take a peek at my assailant and friends, I just couldn’t move my head. At least by them being in a rush to go, it meant they weren’t going to kill me I guess. That’s a plus, although my head hurt so much maybe death would be a better option at that point. What the hell did she hit me with anyway? One of those big iron mallets you see in those Road Runner cartoons?



I giggled thinking about how funny I would look as the roadrunner, his body and my head, running from Wile E Coyote who would be chasing me with a mallet.



Meep! Meep!



I used to be afraid of the Road Runner when I was a kid. There was something about the way he looked at the screen right before he took off, leaving nothing but dirt in his wake. You can’t trust people like that…or cartoon characters I guess…



“Nick!”



“Huh?” Okay if that’s the Road Runner I’ll be really freaked out!



“Hey…Nicky…open your eyes.”



I finally managed to open my eyes to see the concerned faces of both AJ and Kevin staring down at me. What the hell was happening? Where the hell was I?



“Jeez it’s about time. We were going to hold a mirror to your nose to make sure you were still breathing.” AJ said this as he bit on his bottom lip. I looked up at them again to notice Kevin was sitting next to me on the bed, staring intently.



“Why am I on a bed? Where am I?” I started to sit up but he pushed me back down. What the hell was going on?



“You’re at my place…why, I have no idea but here you are.” He looked at me strangely again. Ugh I hate that look.



“Oh…the book!” I tried sitting up again and this time he let me.



“What book?”



I ignored Kevin and looked over at AJ “They took the book AJ.”



“What’s he talking about?” Now Kevin was ignoring me and talking to AJ. You know it’s bad when AJ is the link to any kind of common understanding.



He shook his head at Kevin as if he had no clue what I meant. That’s when Kev turned his attention back to me, “We were worried when you weren’t at the hotel. AJ said we should check here. I told him he was nuts but I guess he was right this time. What are you doing here? And why were you asleep on this old dusty bed?”



Now that was a good question. The last thing I remember was being on the floor. When did I end up on the bed? “I don’t know…I wanted to surprise you.”



“Surprise me how?”



“By…doing stuff here I guess?” My head hurt too much to try to come up with some kind of elaborate lie on the spot.



“Like what? Are you okay? You’re worrying me.” I rubbed at the back of my head and felt the huge bump. When I winced he gave me a look again.



“What’s wrong?”



“Nick.” Kevin placed his hand on my shoulder, “What’s going on with you?”



“What do you mean?”



“I mean this.” He pointed to the room I was asleep in. Eh, I guess he had a point.



“Some people broke in and hit me over the head.” Way to break it to them gently Nick.



“What?” They both said that in unison with the same exact inflection in their voices and it made me laugh, I couldn’t help it. “Why are you laughing? Are you on crack or something?”



“I was bending over to answer the phone and someone hit me from behind.” I turned my head and let them see the huge bump.



“Christ! And when were your finally going to tell me that? God lord, let me see…” He pulled my head towards him, ever so gently…NOT…And placed his hand on top of my bump.



“Ow! Shit Kevin…easy! That fucking hurts!”



“Sorry…how many were there? Are you okay? Did they do anything else to you? AJ call the police! What did they look like? Never mind I’ll call the police. I should also call an ambulance….”



“Kevin…calm down.”



“Don’t tell me to calm down Nick! You were attacked in MY home! I can’t believe this! Did they know it was you? It was a stalker wasn’t it? You told one of those looney’s from your Myspace page or that stupid Livedaily place you were here and they came and attacked you, is that it? You need to be more careful! I can’t believe you tell everyone every little thing. There are dangerous people out there Nick, you can’t be that trusting.”



“Dude, what the hell are you going on about?” That wasn’t me…that was AJ! I was thinking it, but he actually said it! I love AJ sometimes. “Why don’t you go and see if anything was stolen and I’ll sit here with him. You need to walk away and calm the heck down Kev; otherwise the police will just think you’re a crazy person.”



Kevin stood up then, never taking his eyes off of me. I felt like I was 15 all over again and had just been the reason we were all kicked out of a hotel. He was giving me that same look. “You’re right. I’ll go look around.” I could tell he wanted to say…or scream more, but he left instead.



“Wow, thanks man…I owe you for that.” I said once the coast was clear.



“What the hell happened? You said no one was here! I even asked you a ton of times and you said you were sure you were alone!” AH! Now he’s doing it!



“Man you just told Kevin to chill out and now you’re here ragging on me!”



“Kevin has no idea what the hell happened here! I was the one you freaked out when you called me and told me some people were here and then I was the one who had to pretend everything was all good when you weren’t at the hotel while I was crapping my pants because I had a feeling something awful had happened to you! I called you a ton of times!!”



“Sorry, I was busy being knocked out!” I rubbed my head once again to remind him that I was injured and you should not be yelling and screaming at injured people! I think it actually worked because he sat down beside me and sighed.



“You’re lucky they didn’t kill you Nick.”



“They took the diary AJ, the one that I found upstairs in the attic. I’m not sure if that’s what they were looking for or not, but it’s gone. Unless…” I stood up; hopeful that maybe it just got knocked under the bed or something. My heart sank when I didn’t find it there though. “They have it now.” I said as I sat on the floor.



“You think they came just for that?”



“They were looking for something. The reason I didn’t hear them before was because they were in the secret room. I heard them talking though, they were mad because they couldn’t find what it was they were looking for.”



“Do you think that means they intend to come back?”



That was a good question, I hadn’t thought about that. What if they came back after Kevin moved in with his wife? “I don’t know dude, I hope not though.”



“Did you get a look at them?”



“No, but from what I could tell there were three of them, two guys and a girl.”



“Well, hopefully they found what they were looking for and will just leave us all the hell alone now.”



“Unless it’s only the beginning.” I answered just as Kevin walked back into the room.



“The police are on the way.” He walked over and handed me a paper towel filled with ice, “Hold this on the back of your head. It’ll keep the swelling down.”



“Thanks.” I half smiled at him.



“Are you sure you’re alright?”



“I’ll live.”



“I’m sorry for yelling at you.”



“It’s okay, you were worried. It happens.”



“I am still worried. What’s going with you Nick? You’ve been kind of acting crazy since you’ve been here.”



“I always am crazy.”



“Okay that’s true…let’s say crazier than usual.”



“You know…I’m gonna go smoke or something…” AJ said quickly deciding to bail out before the inevitable lecture happens. “I’ll wait for the cops.”



Kevin nodded and I did as well, not much more I could do. I mean besides beg him to stay. “Okay, so talk to me buddy. What’s going on in that head of yours?” He asked as soon as AJ walked out of the room.



“Nothing Kev.”



“Nick, seriously…”



“You’re leaving the band aren’t you?” It was out of my mouth before I had a chance to edit myself. I’m not sure why I said it, but for some reason at that moment, it needed to be said. I took him by surprise, he just sat there silent as I continued, “That’s why you asked AJ and I to come up here to be with you. You plan on telling us about it here, don’t you?”



The silence was too much to take. If it wasn’t true he would have jumped all over me by now. He didn’t though; he just sat there for a few minutes. I could see his brain actually trying to figure out the perfect thing to say to me.



“Let’s not worry about that right now.”



“It’s true though, you didn’t say it wasn’t.”



“Nick, to be honest, I don’t know what’s going on with me at the moment, okay?”



“No, it’s not okay.”



“We’re not talking about me right now anyway, we’re talking about you.”



“You were talking about me, just like I’m trying to talk about you.”



“Look, I’ve just been thinking about my life lately, I’m not sure I want to spend the rest of it as a Backstreet Boy that’s all. But I haven’t made any decisions yet.”



Oh my God, it was true. I felt a knot form in my stomach and I really thought I was going to throw up suddenly. This conversation was making me nauseous. AJ is going to be so angry that I brought it up. He’ll probably never talk to me again. “Please stop trying to change the subject on me though Nick. Tell me what’s going on with you.”



Since he was so honest with me, I figured I owed him the same justice. “I wish I knew…I’m just feeling empty lately. I thought this time with my family would help but it only kind of opened up more stuff. You know… things I haven’t thought about in a long time. I guess this girl…the one who used to live here, she kind of reminds me of me in a way.”



“Is that why you’re here?”



I shrugged at him, “I just find myself wanting to know more about her. I feel connected to her for some reason.”



“You could have just told me that, instead of sneaking in here and breaking in like you did.”



“How did you know I broke in?”



“Because I only have one key.”



“Oh…sorry.”



“And it’s okay to feel connected to her, there’s nothing wrong with that.”



“I think something bad happened to her.”



“Do you think something bad is going to happen to you?” It seemed like such a ridiculous question I wanted to laugh except for the fact that maybe I did feel that way.



I looked up and saw him staring at me again, same way he always has ever since I’ve known him. His eyes saying, you’re safe with me and can tell me anything. “Sometimes I think my life is not going to have a very happy ending and that scares me.” That was such a deep confession. I am surprised I actually verbalized it, but like I said. He made me feel safe and unguarded.



He pat my back and gave it a rub before moving his hand away. “Don’t say things like that. It scares me when you talk like that.”



“You asked.”



“I know, but still…everything always works out in the end Nick.” I wanted to say more, maybe mention that most likely Belle thought the same way and chances are she was right. Her life probably ended tragically, in fact, she was probably buried somewhere in the depths of this house, probably after missing for years. I kept all that to myself though, because what was the point? He already was looking at me as if I was the most pathetic being on the planet.



“As far as your family goes…” Okay here’s were this gets fun now.



“Maybe it’s a good thing that it’s stirring up all these emotions in you. I think it’s maybe a good idea to talk to someone about it. You know, maybe a professional, someone who can help you deal with your feelings.”



“I have been, in fact we all have been.”



He seemed pleased by this news. “That’s good, I’m happy to hear that kiddo.”



“I don’t want you to leave the group Kevin.”



“I know…”



We sat quietly on the bed for a few more minutes, before he continued on, “One more thing…”



“Yeah?”



“Do you think maybe we can go one day where I don’t have to worry about rushing you to an emergency room? I mean first you get stabbed then this…I mean, I don’t want to look out my window tomorrow morning and see you being chased by a swarm of bees or anything.”



I laughed at him.



“Seriously, I’m getting old Nick…you know the heart can only take so much!”



“Getting?”



He hit me on the back of the head, forgetting I had a brain injury there…okay maybe not that bad, but you know what I mean. I of course winced and groaned because…well it hurt…duh!



“Oops sorry about that! See what I mean? I’ve already forgotten about your bump. Is the swelling going down at all?”



I turned my head for him to see my poor wound, as I heard voices coming from downstairs. “I think the cops are here.” I said when flashing lights illuminated the windows, making the room turn an eerie shade of red.



AJ was talking to them as he walked up the stairs. “Only one of us was here at the time. He’s in the bedroom.”



“You ready to talk to them?” Kevin asked me just as they came into the room.



They both came in and walked over to Kevin and me taking turns, shaking hands before pulling out their note pads. “So which one of you was here when it happened?”



“Me…” My voice sounded small, very much like the way I used to answer questions when I hated being interviewed.



The policewoman looked over at me and smiled. I am pretty sure she might have recognized us as being famous. I could tell she was trying to figure out why we looked familiar.



“I hear you got a little bang on the head?” Her male partner said to which I just nodded.



“Well, I’m officer Parker Daniels and this here is my partner Linda. We’re here to take care of you.” That name made me look up, Parker, that’s the same name as one of the people who broke in here.



“Yes, we’ll take really good care of you.” That’s why she had that look on her face. She didn’t know I was a Backstreet Boy, she knew she was the one who hit me on the back of the head! It was them! I recognized their voices. They were the two arguing while I was on the floor and now they were here seeing how much I knew or remembered.



That knot I had in my stomach when Kevin never answered my question about leaving the band grew about fifteen feet as I tried to figure out what I was going to do now.
Chapter 13 by Mare
Author's Notes:
Hello :O)

I am back with a new chapter. Thanks everyone for all the feedback on this one. You guys are the best. I hope this chapter doesn't disappoint and I tried my best to not leave a mean cliffy lol
~ 13 ~




Both AJ and Kevin looked over at me when I gasped. I didn’t even realize I had done that. I guess it was just a reaction to, I don’t know…finding out the people who just clunked you on the head were standing right in front of you disguised as police officers. “I don’t mean to be rude but I was wondering if I could maybe see your badges?”

For having a head injury, that was pretty clever thinking on my part. Knowing how anal Kevin was, if they didn’t have those badges, he would never let them do anything. But of course after a few moments of hesitation they both pulled out their ID’s and handed them to me.

Great!

I looked over them carefully, used to seeing on TV and the movies that when someone has a fake badge they usually cover up a corner of it and then quickly put it back into their pockets before any questions could be asked. Not these two though, no, they were slick. They handed them right over to me, even smiling as they did.

The badges looked authentic which made my predicament even worse. Now what do I do? “Can I have those back now?” I looked up at the female officer. She had a suspicious look on her face. The last thing I wanted was for her to figure out I knew who they were.

“Sorry,” I said as I handed the badge back, “but you can never be too careful these days. There are a lot of crazy people out there.”

“I understand. Actually I commend you for being cautious.”

“So do I.” Great I get brownie points with Kevin too.

“Tell us what happened Mr. Carter.” The male officer said seemingly running out of patience.

“I don’t really remember all that much. I was here helping clean up the house. I had no idea there was someone else in here with me.”

“You didn’t hear anyone break in?”

I shook my head as I held the ice pack to my head. The one that AJ so graciously got for me when he came back from his second smoke in less then fifteen minutes. “How many people were there?”



“I’m not sure, maybe two or three.”



“Did you get a look at any of them?”

I gulped before answering this one. It would have been so much easier to lie without Kevin and AJ in the room. Once I started lying up a storm there was a very good chance that both of them might call me on it. Kevin would be the most likely candidate to do so and I couldn’t take that chance. “Kevin, can you go get me a glass of water?”

He seemed surprised by my sudden request, maybe also a little annoyed. “Water?”

“Yeah, I’m really thirsty.”

Of course Kevin looked over at AJ about to ask him to do it but luckily AJ caught the look of pleading in my eyes and understood what that meant. Maybe it’s because we were always the two to get into trouble when we were younger or maybe it’s just because we were the two Backstreet babies. (Somewhere a few of my crazy teenybopper fans just awed) but whatever the case we both had the ability to read each other’s body language better than anyone else. For instance, all the times that AJ would sneak back into the hotel drunk, partying long after curfew. The next morning would arrive and Johnny or Kevin would look over at him and then ask me when he got back to the hotel. AJ would give me a small nod and tilt his head which indicated to me that I had to lie for him, otherwise he would beat my ass. Ah, what fond memories.

Of course he did the same for me on more than one occasion, especially on those nights that I would go out partying under aged when told specifically not to. He would of course tell me that the second someone asked he’d spill the beans and get me in trouble, but no matter what, he always had my back.

“Hey Kevin, can you bring me a Coke too while you’re at it?” I tried not to laugh at the look on Kevin’s face when AJ said that. Good old AJ, he’s the best.

“Uh…sure, does anyone else want anything?” He asked the officers. If he had the power to kill with his eyes, AJ would be dead.

“No thank you…” The female said while the male just plowed ahead, “So, you didn’t see these people?”

I paused briefly, waiting for Kevin to actually leave the room before I began to lie, “No I didn’t.”

“What about hear them?”

“No.”

“So what happened then?”

“I was bending down to pick up my phone when I was hit from behind.”

“And that’s all you remember?”

I nodded at the officer, “The next thing I knew I was on the bed.”

“Did they take anything of yours?”

“Not that I’m aware.”

“Nothing is missing?”

I shook my head, feeling AJ’s eyes on me. I knew I’d have some explaining to do but I also knew he wasn’t going to tell them anything. “Sorry I couldn’t be any more helpful. I was knocked out.”

Both officers looked at each other and maybe I was being extra paranoid but I sensed great relief on their faces. “That’s okay Mr. Carter, we’re glad that you weren’t seriously hurt.”

“So am I.” I said, giving them my best smirk.

The female officer, Linda I guess, gave me a sweet smile in return and then closed her notepad, “Well, I guess we have all the information we need right now. Thank you for your help and if there’s anything else you can remember give us a call at the office.” She handed me a card with her name and badge number on it.

“Thanks, I will.” I responded, taking the card and putting it in my pocket just as Kevin entered the room with AJ’s Coke and my water.

“You’re done?” He asked surprised to see the officers getting ready to leave.

“Yes, if you need anything else Mr. Richardson, give us a call.” She gave him her card as well. I bet AJ felt left out.

“Okay, thanks…let me show you out.” He said handing the drinks over to AJ and escorting the officers down the steps and out the door.

“Dude, what the hell just happened?” AJ asked, taking a swig of my water.

“That was them AJ.”

“What was them?”

“Those two were the two who broke in. She was the one who hit me over the head.”

“What? Are you sure?”

“Yeah, pretty damn sure.”

“Do you think they are real cops?”

“The badges seemed real enough to me.” I opened the can of Coke and took a sip.

Kevin came back up the stairs and gave us both his trademark look when he saw me drinking the Coke and AJ drinking my water. “So…Why did you get rid of me?” He asked, crossing his arms in front of him. I’m sure if I bothered to look down at his feet they would have been tapping.

“Because I had to.”

“Why?” He was annoyed as he sat on the bed and grabbed my coke out of my hand, taking a sip for himself.

“Because I had to lie to them and I couldn’t let you and your honesty mess that up.”

“You lied to them?”

“I had to Kevin.”

“Why the hell would you have to?”

“They were the bad guys.” AJ filled in for me which was a good thing since my head was really pounding now.

“They what?”

“It was them. They were the ones who clocked Nick in the noggin.”

“Are you sure?” He asked me, his eyes wide and unbelieving.

“I’m pretty certain.”

“We need to tell someone then.” He actually went to grab a phone…gotta love Kevin.

“No Kevin! We can’t, it’s too dangerous.”

“What? We can’t just let them get away with it.”

“We’re not but I need a plan first. Just hold off okay? We have no proof. It would be my word against theirs.” I put my hand over his as he held the phone.

“Why do these things always happen when the two of you are around? If I invited Howie and Brian none of this would have gone on.”

“We make your life so much more exciting, don’t we?” AJ said giving Kevin a friendly wink.

“No more keeping me in the dark about things.” Kevin pointed his finger at me as if he was my daddy.

“I promise.” I answered once again taking the ice pack and placing it on my head.

“Good, glad to hear it. Are we ready to go back to the hotel now?” Kevin stood up and sighed. I felt sorry for the guy. All he wanted was for us to do a quick fix on his house while we bonded, but now he’s in the middle of some gay mystery/suspense novel.

“Yes, let’s get out of here.” I said standing up, a little unsteady on my feet still.

“Are you sure you want to leave? I mean isn’t there an anvil that needs to fall from the ceiling and hit you on the head or something? It’s not truly a party unless we have to go to the emergency room, right?”

“Shut up!” I went to whap him but missed. “You’re lucky my head is spinning.” I added when Kevin decided to offer his assistance probably before I fell down the steps.

“I think I may install an alarm system in here.” He muttered as we walked out the door.



~*~*~*~*~*




The next morning I woke up feeling stiff and not very good. I swear this little vacation of mine was going to end up killing me. I also woke up to the sound of snoring coming from my floor. “What the fuck?” I said aloud which made the snorer in question open his eyes.

“Hey.” AJ sat up and rubbed his neck.

“What are you doing in here?”

“I couldn’t sleep.”

“So you broke into my room and decided to sleep on the floor?”

“Dude, you are a heavy damn sleeper. I must have pounded on your door for ten minutes before letting myself in.”

“Why were you pounding?”

“Because I couldn’t sleep and I wanted to see if you were awake.”

“Well when I didn’t answer the door after you pounded on it for ten minutes, that should have given you a hint, don’t you think?”

“Listen smartass, I was worried so I thought I’d see how you were.”

I know he meant well, it actually was a very kind gesture, but for some reason I was annoyed. Probably because I was attacked by a pack of bad police officers yesterday. I tried to be nice though, that’s one of the things my therapist said I needed to work on, my quick temper.



“Thanks man but there was no need to sleep on my floor and watch me like a dog.”

“Well, I did anyway, so shoot me.”

“Bang bang.” I said, holding up my fingers as a gun. He placed his hands on his heart and rolled over, his feet in the air and his tongue hanging out of his mouth. We were so stupid sometimes. Okay maybe that’s the wrong word. Not really stupid, more like kid like? Yes, somehow that sounds better than stupid.

“AJ, I have to tell you something.” I said when I was bored with his playing dead act.

He came over and sat on the bed next to me, “If it’s about Kevin, I know already. He told me last night.”

“He did?” I felt slighted in some way, since I had to drag it out of him but yet he told AJ willingly.

“He said you asked him if he was leaving.”

“I did, I didn’t mean to but it just kind of came out,” I confessed. I thought he was going to be really angry at me but he seemed fine with it. Not Kevin potentially leaving, but with me asking him about it.

“It’s okay, he said he’s not sure if he’s going to or not, but I think he will.” He sighed as he said it. “Anyway…He said he doesn’t think it’s a good idea to talk about it in front of you.”

“Why? God damn him. I’m tired of being treated like I’m fucking five years old.”

He shrugged at me. “He probably thought you had too much other stuff going on.”

“Well, he can kiss my ass.”

“Do you want to talk about him leaving? Isn’t that what we have been trying to avoid since we’ve gotten here?”

I scratched my head; okay maybe he had a point. “That’s not the point.”

“What is? You make no sense Carter.”

“And this surprises you how?”

He laughed and shook his head at me. “My bad, let’s change the topic. This shit is too depressing. What are we going to do about this bad cop thing?” He rubbed his hands together as if he had a pair of dice in them. “How are we going to take them down?”

“We aren’t, first we need to figure out what they were looking for.”

“The book, you said they took it right?”

“Yeah, but I have a feeling there’s more to it. We need to really explore that house. Maybe with the three of us splitting up and each taking a floor…”

“Hang on. You really think Kevin will help us, after everything that went on?”

“You don’t?”

He looked at me as if I had boobs coming out of my ears…man boobs. “Nick, you were just attacked by people who want something in his house. Those people broke into his house. He’s anal, remember? There is no way he’s going to help. He’s going to say we need to call the police.”

“No he won’t. He knows the police are involved. He’ll help. Kevin may be a bit on the anal side, but deep down he’s just as adventurous as we are.”

“You were hit in the head.” He gingerly placed his hand on my head, “Yup, there’s the bump.”

“I’m telling you, he’s going to help us.”

“Want to make a bet on that one?”

“Sure, how much you got?”

“Ten bucks.”

“Wow, these are desperate times aren’t they?” I joked while searching through my wallet to make sure I had ten dollars to give him, just in case.

“He’ll never help.”

“If he thinks we’ll do it anyway, he’ll help.”

“Son of a whore!” Ha! He knew I was right with that last statement but it was too late to take back the bet now though.

“I hope you have that ten on you…I need some breakfast money. Speaking of that, where is Kevin?” I glanced over at my clock to notice it was almost 11 a.m.

As if on cue, there was a knock on the door. “Well, speak of the devil. He probably just wanted to let you sleep in.” AJ said as he walked over to answer the door. “And he still might not say yes to helping us out.” He winked at me just as he opened the door to let Kevin in.

Only it wasn’t Kevin.

“Mr. Carter.” Officer Daniels said as he tipped his cap at AJ and then me. “I’m sorry to bother you here at your hotel but we’d like you to come into the office.”

My heart started beating faster, “Why?” I said while trying my best not to stutter.

“We want you to look at some pictures for us.”

“But I told you, I didn’t see anything.” AJ and I exchanged worried looks.

“I know, but it’s possible that once you get a look at some of the pictures, something might spark your memory.”

“I don’t see how anything can be sparked. There’s nothing to spark and we were just about to go out.”

The officer looked at me in my boxers and tee shirt, “Like that? I can tell you that if you went out dressed like that anywhere around here Mr. Carter, I’d be bringing you to the station for indecent exposure.” He laughed at his own joke, but it was a forced one. You could clearly tell he was annoyed and didn’t feel much like arguing with me.

“I mean I have an appointment in about a half hour.” I answered, standing up and walking towards the closet. Looking like I was trying to find a suit to wear for the imaginary meeting I had just created. I was a master at those fake meetings. They have gotten me out of plenty of messy situations.

“This won’t take long.” One thing was clear; this guy wasn’t going to let up unless I went with him.

Now what?

I once again shot AJ a look. He seemed at a loss for words as well. “I guess I should get dressed then.” I said as I made my way over to the bathroom. Maybe if I took long enough in there, he’d get bored and leave.

“I should tell Kevin. He might want to go too, since it was his house that was broken into.” Thank God for AJ. Seriously, the next time I start dissing him, remind me he tried to save my ass once again.

“That’s a great idea, call Kevin!” I nodded and smiled at AJ but our evil little police officer didn’t seem the least but amused.

“Actually we just need you. It’ll really only take a few minutes of your time.” Okay the fact that he was so eager for me to be alone with him made me really scared. I kind of just wanted to push him and run out of the room. Make a break for it, head for the hills. I could tell that AJ felt the same way. Only thing is, he could head for the hills and wouldn’t get shot in the back for running away.

“Let me get dressed.” I smiled at Officer Daniels, trying to act calm as a cucumber.

He nodded at me as I walked past him. “Don’t take too long now.”

I turned to look at AJ once more, glad to see he wasn’t going to leave my room, also happy to hear him talking to Kevin on the phone as I locked the door to the bathroom.
Chapter 14 by Mare
Author's Notes:


Hello!

I'm back with a new one and I have to say I was writing this chapter when the inspiration for my romance came to me so this one came first for those of you who catch what i'm talking about! lol ;O)
~14 ~






You know I always used to get yelled at when I was younger about how long I spent in the bathroom. It’s kind of ironic in a way; because out of the five of us, I’m pretty sure I always took the least amount of time to get ready. Lord knows Howie could spend hours in the bathroom doing God knows what!



When it came to the bathroom though, it was my sanctuary. The one place I could be without a bodyguard or the press or anyone else sticking a microphone in my face. I would just sit on the floor sometimes, my back against the bathtub; my legs folded Indian style and play my Gameboy or listen to music. On the bad days, I’d do nothing but just sit there in a trance. Willing the day to end and whoever was on the other side of the door to just go away. That never happened, they never just went away.



I think the longest anyone ever let me be alone in the bathroom was about an hour and twenty minutes. Yup, I think that was the record set back in 1997. I had a horrible day and blew up at them all, locking myself in the bathroom and turning on the shower just to drown out their horrible voices. It only took an hour for Brian to knock on the door and beg me to let him in or to come out so AJ could take a shit. Isn’t that sweet?



I waited for twenty more minutes before I opened the door that time. He came in, we talked and I felt better. Of course once I left the bathroom I was met with a long ass lecture from Kevin who once again made me head into the bathroom for another thirty or so minutes.



Looking down at my watch, which thankfully I decided to bring in here with me, I was gradually coming upon the thirty minute mark. The voices I heard out in the main room were barely there which meant poor AJ was just sitting there in awkward silence while he waited for Kevin. Thoughts about this policeman gone bad hurting my friend did cross my mind but I figure unless I heard some kind of commotion coming from the other side of that door everything should be okay.



About ten minutes after that thirty minute mark I heard a knock on the door. Not my door but the front door. “Thank God…” I said to myself, knowing it had to be Kevin. I placed my ear as close as I could to the wall just to make sure it was his voice I heard and let out a sigh of relief when it was.



“You almost done in there?” The policeman shouted shortly after that. Kevin must have been making him feel uncomfortable.



I didn’t answer; instead I put on the water in the shower. I have gotten much smarter about this hiding in the bathroom thing. I used to put on the water the instant I got in here, but now I wait until someone asks me if I’m done. That water can easily buy me another twenty or so minutes.



I decided to actually get into the shower while the water was running because why not? I was in here anyway and the warm water was beginning to steam the mirrors and make me sleepy.



After getting out of the shower for real, I decided to keep the water going for a little bit longer, just in case. I’m sure ‘Mr. Evil I’m going to break into your friend’s house and then knock you out Policeman’ was probably pissed off by now. The idea of a strip search crossed my mind and made me panic just as a knock was heard, this time on my door.



Before answering, I glanced at my watch. I had set a brand new record, by about 11 minutes. “Nick! You can come out, he’s gone.” Kevin yelled through the noise of the water running.



I waited for a few more minutes, just in case he was bluffing. Or maybe it was the policeman cleverly disguising his voice to sound like Kevin’s. I had to be sure, you never know. Stranger things have happened, like me being stabbed by a stuffed bear. That was pretty strange. “Nick, did you die in there? Its all clear so get the hell out here so we can talk about this!” Yup, that was Kevin.



I finally clicked open the door to see him and AJ both standing there right in front of it, waiting for me to emerge. I felt like the groundhog, what the hell is its name. Is it Gary or George, maybe Mare?



“What’s the groundhog’s name?”



They both looked at me like I was a crack head.



“What the fuck are you talking about?” AJ asked me ever so nicely.



“The groundhog, you know the one that tells us what the weather’s going to be?”



Kevin and AJ looked at each other with a ‘why do we care about saving this kid’s ass again?’ kind of look.



“Nick, we have a serious problem here so can we focus more on that and less on weather predicting rodents you think?” Kevin asked coolly as I walked out of the bathroom and made my way to the bed.



“Is a groundhog a rodent?” I’m sure that question didn’t help but sometimes that’s how my brain works. I really have to take it back and get a new one someday.



Kevin and AJ sat down on the chairs opposite of where I was sitting. “Nick…focus please.”



I nodded at Kevin, “So why did he leave?” I asked as I gently rubbed at my wet hair with a towel.



“Because I told him I’d take you down to the station when our meeting was over.” He answered.



“So, what’s the plan then?” I was hoping that by now Kevin would have some kind of plan worked out. I mean besides delivering me to the bad guys personally, but when he looked over at me and shrugged, I knew I was screwed.



“Maybe you should just go home. I bet you could get a flight out this afternoon.” AJ said going for the yellow book inside the dresser.



“Wouldn’t that make things worse? I mean if I leave then they’ll really get suspicious and besides, that would leave the two of you vulnerable.”



“Not if we all leave.” AJ answered.



“No one is leaving. Nick’s right, if he goes now it’ll make them suspicious plus whether they are for real or not, they are cops and I told them I’d be bringing you down to the station.”



“Well at least that means he can’t kill me out in the woods.”



“I don’t think he’s going to kill anybody Nick, my guess is he’s hoping you’ll go in and identify the wrong person so he and his partner can cover their tracks.”



“Maybe that’s what I should do then.” I mean it made perfect sense to give them what they want so this way they’ll leave us all the hell alone.



“So you can get an innocent person in trouble?” Oh right, I didn’t think about that.



“What should I do?” I looked at my two big brothers with pleading eyes. I was in a giant mess that I didn’t much feel like getting out of at the moment. Why does that always happen to me?



“You go in there and you look at whatever he wants you to look at. You say you don’t remember anything and you leave.” Kevin said that so matter of factly I almost felt dumb for asking in the first place.



“But what if it’s more complicated than that?” I was now fully dressed and once again messing with my hair. I always had at least three pieces of hair that never did what I wanted them to do at any given time.



“It won’t be.”



“Kevin, you’re talking to Carter, of course it’s going to be more complicated than that.” AJ said in the middle of a burp. He was drinking a Dr. Pepper, MY Dr. Pepper.



“It won’t be, because I’m going to be in the room with him.” He then turned to me and said it again as confirmation that he wasn’t lying. “I’m going to be in the room with you.”



“Kevin, they aren’t going to let you in the room with me. It’s not like I’m twelve or anything.”



“We could always say you’re retarded. I’m sure they wouldn’t find that too hard to believe Mr. Groundhog boy!” Okay this is where you need to remind me that AJ was nice and tried saving my ass twice already.



“True…but I think I can be persuasive when I want to be.”



“Yeah you certainly can…” I agreed. The man scared me on a daily basis and that’s when he was in a good mood. Wait a minute, what the hell did he mean by true?



“Don’t worry, I’ll have your back kiddo and most importantly I won’t let you do or say anything stupid.” He pat my back and squeezed my shoulder. “I should also tell you I have called in reinforcements.”



“You have?”



He moved to my spot on the bed. “Yup, I invited Howie and Brian.”



Is it wrong of me to be sad that they were coming? I love them but with just AJ and me, it felt like something special, now it’ll feel all Backstreet-ish. “You bored with just the two of us?”



“What is wrong with you guys? AJ asked me the same thing. No, I was always going to have them out, just thought I’d ask them a little earlier that’s all. Brian’s not sure if he can make it, but Howie will be here in a day or so.”



“Did you tell him what was going on?”



“You mean how you managed to turn my house into the set of a new Hardy Boys mystery? No, I left that out for now.” He laughed under is breath. The fact that he was still laughing made me feel a little better about this police visit thing. If he was nervous then I’d be nervous.



“When are we supposed to go?” I was at the point where I just wanted to get it over and done with already. Just the waiting was killing me.



“Well, I told him our meeting would be about two hours long, so we still have a bit of time to kill.”



“Naked Jello juggling anyone?” We both turned to AJ and shook our heads.



“You know AJ; it would have made more sense if there was at least one girl in the room when you said that, right?” I asked him, trying my best to smirk even though I wasn’t really in the mood to smile.



“I can get the honeys while you guys get the tub ready.”



“AJ, shut up. My days of naked Jello juggling are over. I am married.”



“Call Kris up, I’ll naked Jello juggle with her.” AJ winked at Kevin who in turn gave AJ the finger. I’m so glad they are having such a great time right now. Let’s forget the fact that Nickolas is in hot shit.



“Nick relax, everything will be okay buddy.” It’s like they can read my mind…how odd.



“I hope you’re right.” I let out a sigh and ran my hands through my hair.



“Have I ever been wrong?” Oh Lord I’m really in trouble now. Kevin asking me that question was like your girlfriend asking you if her jeans made her look fat.



“Not when it counts?” I asked.



“Right.” He winked at me and tousled my hair. “Jesus Nick, you’re sopping wet, go blow dry your hair!” He took his wet hands and used my shirt to dry them off. Did he think my hair was going to dry by osmosis or something? Did he hear a blow dryer when I was in the bathroom? I think not.



I started for the bathroom, blow dryer in hand when I stopped abruptly, “Do we have time to go back to the house?”



“No, we’re taking a break today. I’m having a security system installed this afternoon.



“Wow, now that was fast.”



“Well, let’s say I don’t want another incident like yesterday. Why on earth would you want to go back there?”



“Because I still haven’t gotten a chance to explore the basement or the rest of the attic. Maybe there’s something there that would help us figure out what they want.”



“Nick…” He trailed off and I instantly felt AJ’s eyes on me. I knew if I looked up he would have mouthed the words ‘You owe me $10.’ So I didn’t bother looking up. “Maybe its best if you forget about your little investigation for now. I mean at least let’s wait and see what the cops have to say, okay?” Well at least that wasn’t a flat out no.



I nodded at him and we ended up just putting on the television and ordering in some room service.





~*~*~*~*~




During the ride over to the police station my stomach was in knots. I tried my best to stay calm, the guys had me almost forget about it completely but when the time came to do the deed, I was a nervous wreck. What if they caught me in a lie? What if they brought me into the station but then lured me outside and into an awaiting van? So many questions plagued my mind I almost wanted to scream when Kevin finally parked his car and said we had arrived.



AJ stayed at the hotel at Kevin’s suggestion. He knew there was no way they would allow the both of them in with me so why bother coming in the first place? Besides, he was given a task. One that insured I would be winning that bet after all. He put AJ in charge of looking up as much information as he could on Belle via the internet.
I knew Kevin was as intrigued as I was; only difference is he’s a little bit better at hiding it behind a mask of formality. He acted as if what AJ was doing was a business deal, where I got all ‘Scooby Doo’ excited to the point that he had to tell me to and I quote, ‘calm down big fella.’ Yes, sometimes Kevin does bare a striking resemblance to Andy Griffith.



He placed a hand on my shoulder as we walked in, “Nick, everything will be okay. You have got to calm down. If they see you this nervous they will definitely think that you’re hiding something.” He was right, but it didn’t help to calm me down. It just made me even more anxious.



We were greeted by another police officer. He led us into a room and offered us some drinks while we waited. He seemed perfectly nice, not ready to take me out in the back and shoot me in the head, which was a plus. In front of me, there were two huge books. They looked like photo albums. Seeing those, made me calm down, it meant that Kevin was right, they did want me to ID someone.



He nodded at me just as our friendly neighborhood policeman walked into the room. “Nice to see you all groomed Mr. Carter.” Officer Daniels said with a smirk as he sat across the table from me. I didn’t like this guy and let’s forget a minute that it’s because he blindsided me at Kevin’s house. Even if I didn’t know him, he had this weird aura about him.



“What can we do for you?” Kevin asked. He was my official spokesman on this visit.



“I want Nick to look through some of these mug shots just to see if any of these people may look familiar.”



“But I didn’t see anyone, I told you that.”



“Nick, the mind can be an incredible thing. Sometimes you think you don’t see anything and then suddenly a picture can spark your memory.” He leaned in closer to me so that Kevin couldn’t hear, “Sometimes an object can do the same.” He looked at me intently and it sent chills down my spine.



That’s when he moved the second mug shot album slightly to reveal Belle’s book lying underneath it. “Now, I’m hoping this will jog your memory!” He whispered to me, quickly covering the book and sitting back down.



I felt my heartbeat quicken as I just turned my gaze from him to all the random faces staring up at me from the book, unsure of what I was supposed to do next.
Chapter 15 by Mare
Author's Notes:
Hey there!

I am so sorry I have been so lax in updating this one as well as all my other stories. It took me a really long time to write this chapter but it's finally done. If you are still reading, thank you for sticking with me and I hope you enjoy!
~ 15 ~








I sat there for a few seconds, not really knowing what it was that this Daniels guy wanted from me. By showing me Belle’s book did he want me to talk about that or was that some kind of silent threat meaning he wanted me to ID the wrong person so we could forget all this nonsense and move on?



Because I was unsure, I did the only logical thing I could think of as a man in my situation.



“I need to use the bathroom.” My voice cracked as if I was a 13 year old going through puberty for the second time.



“No more bathroom breaks Mr. Carter. I’m sure you can hold it in for the time being.”



I shifted in my seat slightly. Okay that didn’t work the way I wanted it to. I glanced over at Kevin who could tell something was wrong. “Everything okay?” He asked with a raised eyebrow. “Do you recognize someone?”



“Yes, is your memory suddenly coming back?” The officer asked me, once again moving closer.



“I’m not exactly sure what you want me to say….” I answered honestly, “I don’t recall seeing anyone like I’ve said a thousand times and no matter how many times you ask me, that answer is not going to change.” I was scared but when I said that I tried my best to look Daniel’s in the eye.



He looked back at me intently at first and then he loosened up and smiled, “Okay…that’s fine.” Daniel’s then stood up and started pacing back and forth, “Mr. Richardson, what do you know about the previous owners of your home?”



I was surprised by that question and by the look on Kevin’s face so was he. “Not too much,” He answered, “I just know they left in a hurry.”



“Why do you say that?”



“Because they left so much stuff behind, the place was a mess.”



“Have you gone through the stuff?”



“Not really. I just intend to throw it all away; it’s cluttering up my house and taking up too much space.” Kevin stood up, “If you’re done with Nick, we’ll be going, we have things we still need to do.”



Officer Daniels looked over at me and once again smiled. I wish I was able to read through that smile. “I have nothing left to ask him. He obviously didn’t see anything.”



I nodded at him and stood up, half tempted to go under the two mug shot books and grab the journal and run. “Thanks.” I decided to say instead.



“Don’t go too far just yet, I might have some more questions for you.” He said as he put his hand on my shoulder.



Once we were safely out of the police station, Kevin actually grabbed my wrist for a second as if I was his two year old son or something. Maybe it was instinct but whatever the case, it looked WRONG! I pulled away from him and he laughed, “Sorry…” He said as he beeped the alarm off his car, “force of habit I guess.”



I got into the car and put on my seatbelt. This is Kevin, if I didn’t do that myself he would reach over and do it for me because he did just take my hand after all.



“We need to go back to the house.” He said.



When he mentioned going back to the house I got all excited. God I’m such a nerd. “Why are we going back there? I thought you said we needed to take a break from that.”



“Because whatever it is that he wanted is clearly back at the house.”



“Why do you say that?”



Kevin looked over at me as if I was a moron. I mean, I’m used to that look; I get it more often than not, but still… “He seemed very interested in my stuff. I mean why did he care about who owned the house before I did?”



“You think this has to do with Belle then?”



He nodded at me, “I don’t think what he was looking for was in the book you found, otherwise he wouldn’t be so interested to know what is left of theirs.”



Wow, Kevin is pretty good at this detective thing. “Maybe AJ found some dirt on the family and Belle.”



“I’m hoping so but I’ll be happy if he was actually able to find his way over to the library.”



“I know…what were you thinking sending him to a library man?”



“Out of the two of you, I think he was the best bet.”



“Hey!”



“Well, it’s the truth….I wonder…” Kevin stopped mid sentence and started biting on his lip.



“What?”



“I wonder if I were to throw some stuff out tonight, if our little friends would come and look through the garbage.” Kevin had a smirk on his face. I could tell he was enjoying this little adventure I managed to set him on.



“Kevin, you sneaky bastard I LOVE that idea!”



“I have no idea if it would work or not but maybe we should set a little trap for them, just to see if they would be that willing to dig through garbage to find what they are looking for.”



“I bet they would, I mean whatever they wanted they were willing to kill for.”



“Kill?”



“They almost killed me Kevin, remember?”



“Nick you were bopped in the head. That’s a long ways away from being killed.”



“Sure, it’s easy for you to say because it wasn’t YOUR head that was bopped!”



“I would have never let that happen to me in the first place.”



“Right, I’m so sure you would have prevented that from happening.”



“I would have.”



“So are you saying me being almost killed was my own fault?”



“Nick you were not almost killed! Stop saying that, I mean God forbid…”



“I was almost stabbed to death.”



“Nick do you want to come with me to the house, because the more you talk about your little near death experiences the more I think I should just leave you at the hotel.”



“You have to take me with you!”



“Then stop reminding me that you almost let a stuffed teddy bear kill you, okay?”



“Jesus…fine!” I turned away from him and muttered, “It was an evil bear though.” To which Kevin shook his head.





~*~*~*~*~*~






After picking up AJ from the library, we headed straight to Kevin’s place again. AJ wasn’t too pleased about that. He’s such a chicken I swear! Turns out he didn’t find too much on Belle’s family but there was a lot on Belle herself. A ton of old magazine articles talking about how talented she was. He handed all the photocopies to me as he jumped into the backseat of the car.



“I’m impressed you thought to get those articles photocopied AJ.”



“What you think I’m a moron like Carter?”



“Hey!”



“Nick is not a moron AJ.”



“Thank you Kevin.”



“You’re welcome little man…so tell me what is in those articles?”



I quickly leafed through some of the pages AJ handed to me. Turns out Belle was quite famous in her day. I’m kind of surprised I had no idea who she was. She seemed to grace the cover of almost every teen magazine at one point in time. Her face was everywhere, just like mine used to be.



“Doesn’t seem like anything too serious, her favorite color is tangerine though…that’s a weird one.”



“There’s nothing about the family?”



“I couldn’t find too much on them. There was one article towards the back of the pile Nicky…it was from a local newspaper. It seems like the police had been called to the house a bunch of times for domestic disturbances.” He grabbed the pile out of my hand and searched for the one article he was talking about. “Here it is…local celebrity deals with violent family…weird title huh?”



I nodded as he handed the paper back to me. There was a picture of Belle in the corner, one that I had seen before. It must have been one of her head shot pictures. Underneath that was the title of the article and directly below that was a picture of her father in handcuffs being taken out of the house.



“What does the article say Nick?” Kevin asked as he continued to drive towards his new house.



“Yesterday morning at around 2 A.M. the police were called to break up a fight at the Wainright residence. Witnesses say that Harry Wainright staggered into his home drunk after a night of partying and shortly after screams were heard. A next door neighbor called the police after she thought she heard a gunshot. Maria Wainright looked noticeably distraught as she held onto her son Tommy. Belle, famous for her role in Finding Brotherhood, was not home at the time.” I stopped reading and skimmed down a little further and read a quote from the neighbor who called the police. “That family is totally nuts and out of control. They have all this money and don’t know what to do with it. There’s nothing worse than rich white trash.” I stopped there.



“That was harsh.” AJ said, taking the article back from me to reread it himself.



“People suck sometimes.” I muttered, once again trying not to compare her family to mine. It was so hard though, because at the end of the day we were similar. When my mother broke into my father’s house and attacked his new wife, I had to deal with those comments coming from just about everywhere. People were saying the meanest things about my mother and even though I kind of felt the same way, it hurt. No one wants to hear strangers say things like “that Jane Carter is such a crazy whore!” Or “Well I don’t blame her because if I had married that Bob Carter, I would be crazy too! It’s a wonder their kids aren’t more fucked up then they are!”



I tried my best to shield my siblings from those comments. To hide them from the pages of the local newspapers and tabloids but it was almost impossible. They read them and once more we all retreated into our own corners, silent and sad.



“Nick?” I looked over at Kevin. I didn’t realize he was talking to me.



“Yeah?”



“I said, are you okay? You just got really quiet.”



“Yeah, I’m fine…”



“People say stupid things because they don’t know any better.” I know he realized I was taking things personally when he said that. When all that crap happened with my family, it was Kevin that I leaned on the most. He was there for me every step of the way. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I’m sure they all were but Kevin was the only one that wasn’t afraid to bring it up. He told me repeatedly, that none of the stuff happening was my fault and that I was a good person despite what people who do not know me may say in gossip magazines, news papers, television shows, radio programs or message boards etc…



God, what am I going to do without him? He can’t leave.



“Did you hear me Nickolas?”



I nodded at him, “Yeah, I heard ya.”



“Good.”



“I wonder how Belle felt about that?” I asked no one in particular. Maybe I was asking more for myself than anyone else.



“I’m sure she thought it sucked.” AJ answered.



“Is there anything else about the family in there AJ?”



“Nope, but I didn’t really look through everything, I figured that Nick would want that job.”



“I would like to do that, very much.”



We finally had arrived at our destination and were getting out of the car when Kevin looked over at me, “Are you sure you’re okay to read through those?” He asked.



“Yeah, I’m sure.” I nodded at him just to show that I would be okay with it.



I grabbed the pile of articles and followed AJ and Kevin inside, “I can’t believe we are back here again.”



“Shut up AJ, I’m going to be living here with my wife!”



“Sorry man, but its hella creepy ass, you know what I mean dude?”



“Says the man with a confessional in his house?”



“What’s wrong with that?”



“AJ, your place looks like you room with Marilyn Manson.”



“That would be cool!”



They kept going on like that but as I got into my reading I started to tune them out. Hey, if they can do that to me then I can do it to them, it’s only fair. I found a corner by the fireplace, right underneath a window and sat down on the floor Indian style continuing to read one of the articles I had in my hands. It wasn’t so much about just Belle but more like an article talking about child stars and how hard it is for them to make a transition into adulthood.



They mentioned a lot of names I had heard before like Ricky Nelson and Gary Coleman. Both of whom had more than their fair share of turmoil when they grew up. I’m sure I would have been named in this article too if I was alive in the 70’s. This one was written in the mid 1980’s though. I could tell by the big hair and all the spandex. It was like the real version of our video Just Want You to Know. I started giggling because I bet Kevin and Howie looked a lot like these people back in the 80’s.



Anyway somewhere in the middle of the article, it mentioned Isabelle Wainright and her troubled childhood. How her parents were prone to fighting and how eventually it led Belle down a dark road to drugs and alcohol. It said in the article that she ended up going into a rehab and was never heard from again and all that happened before she even turned 30. For all they knew, it said, she was probably working at a local McDonald’s. There was a small picture of her as an adult. I had never seen her grown up. She was beautiful but she had very puffy eyes and wasn’t smiling at all. She looked a lot like how I felt.



I moved that article to the back of the pile and went searching for more information. There were a lot more things about her when she was a kid and a ton of small blurbs written about her incredible acting abilities for being so young. All her costars were blown away by how natural everything came to her. They all claimed she would be in the business for a long time.



They interviewed her mother in one article, a day on the set of Finding Brotherhood. Supposedly she played the cute little sister to two very different brothers. She was the one that everyone got to ooh and awe over. Her mother said this job was a difficult one for her baby but she wouldn’t have it any other way. She put her in the business because Belle had begged her to, simple as that and whatever her baby wanted, her baby got.



“I wonder if her baby ended up supporting the entire family in the process while loving mommy and daddy did nothing but fight?”



“Huh?”



I looked over at AJ, “Sorry…I was talking to myself. It seems like Belle’s mom was a typical stage mom.”



“Oh that’s lovely.”



“Yeah.”



He came and sat down next to me, “Kevin wants to set a trap for the police now. What did you give him, some crazy Kool-Aid or something?” He asked.



I smiled at him, “By the way, you owe me money!”



“I owe you shit Carter!”



“Nope, you can keep the shit, I’ll take the money! You can give the shit to Howie when he gets here, I’m sure he’ll appreciate it.” I said.



AJ laughed, “Oh yeah I’m sure he’ll love that. Okay well I guess I have to go back to helping Kevin set his little trap. It scares me how excited he seems about this. You have created a monster!” He stood up, “And please explain to me why once again I’m doing the manual labor and you’re just sitting on your ass reading.”



“Because YOU said you wanted me to read remember? And besides, Kevin likes me better.”



“Suck it Carter!”



“Maybe later McLean.”



He laughed under his breath, “And just for the record, you’re not white trash, okay?”



I smiled up at him, “Thanks AJ.” See? That’s the way AJ deals with me. He was fully aware I was taking things personally too. Kevin and AJ just handle things a little differently that’s all.



“No problem.” Just then Kevin yelled AJ’s name from upstairs. “Gotta go…papa Smurf wants me.”



“Have fun!”



“You too…try not to get a paper cut!”



“Shut up Bone!”



I shook my head and was just about to return to my reading when I happened to stretch and look towards the fireplace. I noticed something kind of shiny in there. The sun hitting it through the window made it shimmer. “What the hell?” I crawled over to it and looked inside and there on a very small nail was a key ring and on it was one very small key. I grabbed it and gave it a closer look, “Now what is this?”



It was too small to fit into any doors even the one downstairs but it was the perfect size for “a diary.” Etched on the key was the number 13. I stood up and nodded, “Now, this is interesting…”



I needed to figure out what the thirteen was all about and how I could find the diary that this key related to. I knew if I did I would finally be able to unlock the mystery of what was going on. “I bet this is what Daniels was looking for.” I said to myself as I made my way upstairs to show Kevin and AJ my find.
Chapter 16 by Mare
Author's Notes:
Hello!

I'm back with another chapter lol I hope you enjoy :O)

Thanks for reading!
~ 16 ~





Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if I just disappeared, you know like walk out the door and just keep going, never looking back. It would be hard, I know. There are always too many people surrounding me for that to happen but don’t think for a second I haven’t planned it out. Sometimes when I’m waiting for an interview or a photo shoot it’s all I think about. Starting over, starting new and fresh as anyone but me. I wish I could make people understand that. They think I’m the luckiest person on the planet. I have everything I could ever ask for. Wealth, fame, a big family, how could I possibly want something more?



What people tend to forget is that I’m just a human being like everyone else. When anyone else feels trapped by their situations it’s accepted as the norm. Hell people even pity and feel sorry for you because of what you are going through. When someone like me feels like that, there’s no sympathy at all. Because I’m famous I’m not entitled to have a private life. I’m not entitled to have solitude and I’m not entitled to be unhappy.



Being unhappy when you are rich and famous is just wrong.



People are stupid!






I reached the top of the stairs and stopped for a second. I wasn’t sure where AJ and Kevin were and I was too out of breath to yell to them. Yeah I know I need to get in shape. I did run up the steps though, if that makes me sound better. A few seconds later I heard them talking quietly in Belle’s room. I was just about to walk in when I heard my name. They were talking about me.



“You worry too much Kevin, the kid will be fine.”



“I don’t know AJ, I mean…he’s just not himself. Ever since he got here he’s been moody and sad and now with this Belle thing, I’m not sure it’s a good idea for him to be involved in this. I mean he looks at this girl and her family and he sees himself.”



He’s been through a lot Kev.”



“I know he has, I just worry that’s all. I thought bringing him here would take his mind off things, but I think I just managed to make things worse.” Kevin made me sound like I was some pathetic charity case or something.



“So, the only reason you invited me was because you feel sorry for me?” I didn't want to do that, believe me. I just wanted to swallow the anger and pretend I didn’t hear a word, but sometimes my brain and my mouth disagree.



Both of them looked over at me, like two deer caught in the headlights of an oncoming car. “Nick it’s not like that.” Kevin was quick to say.



“Oh, I think it’s exactly like that. You know Kevin I was so flattered when you asked me to come out, now that I know you probably would have never asked unless I wasn’t so pathetic, it kind of kills it for me.” I turned and stormed out of the room and back down the steps.



I wanted to leave but of course we all took one car. Screw them, I’ll just take Kevin’s damn car and go back to the airport and go home. I’m sure I could get Bean or Chris to come pick me up. Hell if I get an early enough flight we’d probably have time to go party. “Nick!” I rolled my eyes but kept walking towards the front door. I wanted to get out of there as fast as I could so this way he could spend more time with the person he actually WANTED to invite over in the first place, not just the person he felt he needed to invite. “Stop being a drama queen for a minute please!” I stopped and turned around, crossing my arms defensively in front of me.



“What?”



“I don’t understand why you’re so mad.” He said, sounding as calm as a cucumber. Where the hell did that expression even come from? It makes no sense whatsoever. Have you ever met an anxious cucumber, or a cucumber that showed any emotion whatsoever?



“Fucking cucumbers.” Well, that’s all I could think of to say.



He gave me one of his squinty looks and then decided to ignore the cucumber remark. I’m sure he’ll bring it up at some random time when he feels the need to humiliate me. “Of course I want you to be here Nick. I would not have invited you if I didn’t want you here. Why would you even think that?”



“Dude, because I just heard you say that!”



“I said NO such thing! If you listen when people are talking to you, you might know that.”



“You weren’t talking TO me Kevin you were talking ABOUT me to someone else! There’s a difference.”



“Doesn’t matter, the point is…I didn’t say that at all! I said I was worried about you.”



“Yeah and that you were sorry you invited me.”



“No! You are so bull headed!” He was getting mad.



AJ came trotting down the steps, I guess when our voices escalated he felt it was time to step in. “Guys, stop fighting.” Yeah and I should mention he sucks at that.



“I heard what I heard Kevin.”



“No, you heard what you WANTED to hear Nickolas.”



“I’m so sure I ‘wanted’ to hear you say I wasn’t wanted here.”



“I think that’s exactly what you wanted to hear. I mean otherwise how else would you feel sorry for yourself?”



“Fuck you, I’m out of here!” I turned to leave again. I didn’t need this!



“Go ahead and leave, God forbid you stay and confront your feelings. Talk out the situation. No, it’s much better to leave and maybe punch something on the way out, maybe cuss at a flight attendant as your getting drunk.”



I had my hand on the door, just about ready to walk out and slam it shut, but I found myself smiling at his last comment. Don’t get me wrong, I was mad as hell but the thing is, he knew me so well that despite the fact I wanted to turn around and punch him in his bushy browed face, I turned around and replied, “I wouldn’t have cussed at her if she was hot.”



He looked at me and smiled. “Why are you doing this? Huh? You know I want you here.”



In that moment I realized he was right. I had no idea why I jumped the gun like that. Maybe it was easier being mad at the world instead of having to face it. Truth was, even though to them it may have seemed like coming here was a mistake, to me it was a blessing. When I’m down in the dumps like I am now, being around these guys is sometimes the only thing that gets me through. I don’t know what I’d do or be without them.



“I don’t know.” My voice cracked slightly, damn! I hated when I did this. “Sometimes I just get a little paranoid.” I finally allowed myself to say once getting a hold of my emotions.



“I didn’t mean to talk about you behind your back kiddo, really.” Kevin said as he walked over and placed his arm around my shoulder, escorting me back towards the living room where I sat down on one of the couches and he sat next to me.



“Me too buddy, besides when I think you’re being a dink I usually tell you to your face.” AJ added, sitting down on the coffee table to face us.



Now I was feeling thoroughly embarrassed, even with them. This part was always the worst. It was so much easier when I was a kid. I would cry and get away with it. Now that I’m much older I actually have to take responsibility for my actions. Growing up sucks ass!



“I am just so tired of getting people to like me. I feel like everyone is against me. Even you guys sometimes.” I admitted to them.



“You can’t let the tabloids get to you…”



I put up my hand to interrupt AJ, “It’s not just them, it’s everybody.”



They both just nodded at me, choosing not to say anything. I guess they both realized that they had no clue how I felt. I hated when people pretended to understand. Nothing was worse than someone saying ‘oh I known how you feel’ when clearly they didn’t.



“That’s why I think maybe this whole Wainright thing is not good for you.” Kevin said as he leaned back on the couch and crossed one leg over the other. “You feel like it hits too close to home, that’s all I was saying up there.” He pointed to the steps I guess so I wouldn’t think he was referring to an outer body experience of some kind. Yes even in times like this I could be a smartass. It’s what I do best.



“I think it’s a good thing for me. Ever since I found Belle, I’ve felt like maybe there’s someone else who feels the same way as I do.”



“What are we, chopped liver?” AJ asked, raising his eyebrow at me.



“You know what I mean. Sure you guys understand the famous part but not the fucked up family part.” I made sure to look over at AJ as I continued because he was about to interrupt or disagree with me, “and I mean not having a mom OR a dad to turn to.” Whatever AJ was about to say lost its relevance, so he stopped.



“But you don’t know if she did either.” Kevin said and he did have a point.



“Yeah, but I don’t know, I just feel this weird connection to her. I wish I could explain it. It probably makes no sense but for some reason I just really need to know how her story ends. What happened in this house? What’s the deal with Tommy and why the police are so interested in what’s going on here?” Saying all of that made me remember why I ran up the stairs in the first place. I took the key out of my pocket, “I found this in your fireplace Kevin.” I said as I handed it to him.



He grabbed the key from me and looked it over carefully. “It’s a key.” AJ exclaimed.



“It is? Wow…thanks for telling me AJ.” Kevin answered shaking his head. “Otherwise I might have thought it was a piece of chocolate and ate it or something.”



“What do you think it’s a key for?” I asked smirking when AJ gave Kevin the finger.



“It’s too small to fit any door in here. You said it was in the fireplace? Now why on earth would it be in there?” Kevin said, ignoring AJ and his vulgar gestures.



“I don’t know.” I answered.



“Wouldn’t it melt if someone lit a fire in there?” AJ asked as he held his hand out to examine the key for himself.



“I think so…unless they never used it.” Kevin answered, dropping the key into AJ’s hands.



“I think it belongs to a diary, it’s too small to fit into anything else.” I added.



Kevin stood up and walked over to the fireplace. “If they didn’t use it,” He said as he squatted down to take a closer look, “Maybe she hid the diary in here.”



The man was a genius. I didn’t even think to really look inside the fireplace but it made perfect sense. AJ and I both walked over and watched him search inside the hearth. “Do you see anything?” AJ asked looking at me and shrugging.



“Nope.” He said as he came out. His shoulders were now black as was his hair. “There’s nothing inside.”



“I bet whatever this key opens is what the police are looking for.” I said out loud.



“Could be…” Kevin stood up and walked over to the window looking out towards his backyard. “If we are going to put some things out for them, we should really do it now before it gets too dark.”



“What kind of things are we going to put out there?” I asked as our previous conversation and argument seemed to dissipate into the air. This Wainright thing seemed to be a great distraction all around and not just to me.



“I’m thinking books, see if you can find anything journal like lying around and we’ll start with that.”



“Let’s start with the attic.” Kevin said.



“I’m going to look in that secret room. That’s where they were when they broke in.”



“Good idea Nick.”



“You do that and I’ll look in the attic, AJ why don’t you take the basement.”



“Pardon me?”



“The basement, go and see if you can find anything we can use.”



“Yeah, I heard you…the pardon me was a nicer way of saying are you fucking kidding me?”



“Why?”



“Kevin, I’m not going down to your creepy ass basement with weird creepy ass small doors that only like gnomes or tiny little demons can fit into. I mean, are you kidding me?”



“Fine, than you take the attic and I’ll check the basement.” Kevin said shaking his head.



“I’m not a big fan of attics either.”



“AJ, stop being a chicken shit we are running out of time!” I loved the fact that Kevin was acting like me.



“I AM a chicken shit and proud of it! I don’t even shower in my house unless the doors are pretty much bolted shut.”



“I’m not asking you to shower.”



“And that’s good because if you were I’d be worried dude.”



“Will you be able to handle looking in here then? Or is the living room too scary for you too?” Kevin asked trying to purposely make his voice sickly over the top sweet and comforting just to be an asshole. God, I love Kevin!



“Well…it’s kind of creepy in here too.”



“AJ!”



“Okay fine, I’ll check in here. What are you laughing at Carter?” AJ asked when I could no longer hide how amused I was by all this.



“Nothing.”



“It better be nothing or I’ll kick your butt boy!”



“Sure you will…” I smirked at him “As long as I’m not a gnome or what did you say? Tiny little demon?”



“Shut up!” AJ pouted.



“What about a fucking cucumber?” I KNEW Kevin was going to bring that up eventually. Of course when I looked over at him he had that ‘don’t think I forgot about your randomness Carter’ face on. Yes he does reserve a face just for me and my random moments.



I glanced over at Kevin and frowned. “At least I’m not afraid of them.” I mumbled under my breath.



“I know I probably shouldn’t have to say this but considering how this week has been going I better, just be careful, okay?”



I nodded at him, “I will be.”



“Yeah me too and if something kills me I’m going to haunt both of your asses for all of eternity!” We both laughed at AJ as we made our way up the steps. Kevin decided to leave the basement for now. Truthfully I think he might have been a little scared of the small door as well.



I headed for the secret room, but Kevin’s hand on my arm stopped me. “I just wanted to remind you that you’re not alone. I know you feel like whatever you’re going through, you’re doing it alone but that’s not the case.”



I smiled at him, “Thanks Kevin.”



“I mean it and when you think you’re ready to talk about things, my door is always open.”



“I know.” I said sadly, because he just reminded me that he was most likely walking out of the door forever. “Same goes for you.” I said.



“Be careful.” He said once again as he made his way out back into the hallway.



“You too!” I said as I opened the closet door and walked up the secret steps.
Chapter 17 by Mare
Author's Notes:
Wow two updates in less than one week! lol sure it's not the same story but still, i'm impressed with myself!

Here is chapter 17, hope you enjoy and as always, thanks for reading! Just in case you missed it there was also a new chapter of Scars posted on Saturday. :O)
~ 17 ~




You would never guess it, but I’m kind of claustrophobic. I always panic when I enter an elevator or am stuck in a small room with a bunch of people. I do my best not to show it because it kind of embarrasses me, but I can feel the sweat forming on my brow and my heart beat quicken when I get myself in those situations. It gets even worse when I come into contact with people who want my autograph. They swarm around me as if I’m not even a human being, pushing on me, grabbing for my clothes or my jewelry, anything they can cling to. I once had someone rip off a necklace that my grandmother had just given to me for my birthday. She was screaming and crying and grabbed for my neck. It was shortly after that my family thought it was best to hire a bodyguard.


*~*~*~*~*



The room was a disaster. It was clear that those two police officers were looking for something specific because of the way things were just randomly thrown all over the place. They probably didn’t even give a second thought to cleaning up the mess, figuring that no one knew the room existed in the first place. This brought about another valid point. They knew about this room, which meant maybe they actually knew the Wainrights. Sure it was possible that they just happened upon the room, I mean that’s what I did, but that was doubtful.

Clothes were strewn around and scattered in piles like mini ant hills and a few boxes were overturned with years of memorabilia everywhere. I bent down and picked up a few papers that were lying on the floor by my feet. They were yellowed by age and the pencil marks faded, but they clearly looked like letters to me.

I squinted to try to make out what was being said but aside from a few words here or there, I could barely tell what it was about. I did recognize the name at the end. The letter was clearly signed by Belle.

Obviously the police didn’t feel like it was important enough to take with them, so I dropped the letter and moved on. I knew nothing in plain site would be of value. I would have to find something hidden somewhere, the question was where? The room was so small it seemed almost impossible to hide anything anywhere.

I started walking around the room and stomping hard on the floor boards, remembering how she had hidden a diary underneath one in the attic. Maybe she did that up here too. Sure enough one of them gave way under my feet, almost sailing me to the ground. I noticed when I gained my balance that a few nails on that floorboard were missing. Searching the room with my eyes, I smiled when I found a crowbar to help pry the board loose.

“I should be a policeman, I’m that good.” I gloated to myself as I pried the board away and sure enough there were papers hidden underneath. I was hoping there would be a diary but at least this was something I guess.

I sat down and made myself comfortable, well as comfortable as you can get on a hardwood floor with nails sticking out all over the place. Crossing my legs Indian style I went to work reading the first letter. It was odd that instead of being mailed they all sat in a pile under a floor board in a secret room. I quickly understood why after reading the first few sentences of the first letter I picked up.

I don’t know what to do! It’s gotten so bad, this is the only place in the world I feel safe. I even managed to do what you suggested. I hid a few knives around my room including one in my teddy bear. I probably will never have to use it, but like you said, better safe than sorry.

I know I’ll never mail this because I’m too chicken but now I know I made a huge mistake. I should have come with you when I had the chance. I should have ran and never looked back, now it’s too late and I’m stuck! God tell me what to do!! I wish I knew what I was supposed to --


I turned the page hoping there would be more, but it seemed like she cut herself off. Maybe someone came in or maybe she just stopped and started crying. That was the mental picture I formed in my mind. I saw her as an angsty teenager sitting right where I was in a different time, hands over eyes as she cried out of desperation. I wish I knew what she was talking about. I tossed that letter to the side and went straight for the next one, hoping I would find the answers I was looking for.

List of things I’ll need:

Clothes
A few blankets
A pillow
Things out of my safe deposit box (I’m not sure how to get those. I might have to try to steal the key from my father as he’s sleeping.)
My diary
A gun

*Call Madison about the driver’s license.


Belle was planning on running away. I wonder who Madison was and if she was still around. Maybe there was a way to get in touch with her, not that I could ever picture myself doing that. I bet Kevin would though. I could see Kevin calling her up and asking her a ton of questions. Maybe her number was somewhere in the pile of papers that were hidden under this floorboard.

I looked at the next paper and it seemed to be a birth certificate. It was yellow and almost crumbled in my hands from the wrinkles that time had brought about. I was certain it would be hers but I was thrown when I saw it was Tommy’s.

“Thomas Harold Wainright.” I closed my eyes and recited the name to the empty room almost thinking after I was done he would magically appear like a genie to grant me my wish.

Tommy was born on January 28th 1950. “Wow, you were born on my birthday.” I couldn’t believe it. How freaky was that? He was exactly 40 years older than I was. Why his birth certificate would be hidden up here was the mystery of the moment, well one of many I guess.

Right under his birth certificate were some more official type documents, among them a few passbooks from banks, an envelope from a lawyer’s office that turned out to be just an empty envelope and Tommy’s passport. I grabbed that and gave it a closer look. Stamps from France and England were on there but that was about it. He had a big smile on his face in his picture and looked to be all of about ten.

I put those aside and plucked out the few remaining items buried under the floor. I actually got excited when I saw another letter. This one looked a lot longer and hopefully gave a little more information than the last one did.

I’ve decided to hide my things here. No one knows this room even exists except for me and Tommy. I all but begged my brother not to tell anyone about it, I told him I’d clean his room for a month. Anyway, I know this is the only place left in the world where I can actually be me. As sad as that sounds, I just can’t let out my feelings anywhere else. I need to find a good hiding place for my diary because no matter where I put it, stupid Beth always finds it and reads what I have to say. That’s so unfair because I would never do that to her! Doesn’t she know that with my life as public as it is, my diary is the only place I can be myself all by myself?

That’s why I am so grateful that Tommy and I accidentally found this room when we were wrestling right outside his closet. If he hadn’t thrown me into his closet with so much force that I hit the wall, I would have never found this place. I call it destiny. I think I’m going to put my old mattress up here. I’m sure no one will even notice it’s missing from the attic and Tommy can help. Now that things are getting bad, I don’t like hearing the arguing. Tommy and I can come up here and escape from it all.

This is so exciting! I’m going to go get my diary right now and put it up here. It’s under my bed at the moment and I’m sure that Beth is probably reading it right now! I put a little note in there for her though, HA! God, I hate her sometimes!



She was much younger in this letter than she was in the last one. There was an innocence about the way it was written. I realized the diary she was talking about was the one that I had found under her bed. She did write a little note to her sister in there. There had to be more though, that couldn’t be it. The diary I found didn’t need a key at all. I took a deep breath and sighed, disappointed that there wasn’t anymore hidden that I could read through. If no one knew this room existed, why did she feel the need to hide these papers? She could have just left them in the open.

Standing up I stomped some more along the floor, hoping to find another loose board that held more answers. “What’s with all the stomping up there?” AJ called from the closet.

“I’m trying to find a loose board.”

“Oh, I thought maybe you had fallen and couldn’t get up or something.” I laughed at him as he made his way up the creaky stairs. “Wow, this is kind of cool. I wish I had one of these in my house growing up.” He said as he walked in and glanced around the small, dark room.

“I know… same here.”

“Did you find anything?” He asked, looking down at the pile of papers that I had been looking through.

“Yes and no, Tommy and I have the same birthday.”

“Oh…and Tommy would be?”

“Belle’s brother!” I couldn’t believe he had to ask me that! Where has he been?

“Oh…that’s weird. The blonde kid?”

I nodded, and handed the passport over to him so he could look for himself. “He looks like he could be a happier, cuter version of you.”

“Cuter?”

“Well, yeah.”

“AJ, he’s almost 70 years old.”

“Not in this picture though and I’m impressed you were able to figure that out Carter.”

“It’s not like I had to do advanced trigonometry or anything.”

“Again, I’m impressed you know what trigonometry is.”

“Yeah, well I’m just chock full of surprises. What about you, did you find anything or did you get the creeps and have to come up here so you wouldn’t be alone?”

“I found nothing and yes, I got the creeps, you happy? This place is spooky. I can’t see Kristin living here.”

“You keep saying that.”

“Because it’s true, she’ll probably be like, ‘oh. Kevin you shouldn’t have…I mean it, you really shouldn’t have!” I laughed at his high pitched Kristin voice; actually that was his high pitched any generic female voice.

“Maybe you’ll be lucky and he’ll give the place to you instead.” I said, giving up hope that I’d find a loose floorboard. I had walked every inch of that room and nothing else gave way.

“Yeah, or maybe he’ll give it to you since you seem to be attached to it.”

“I’m not attached to this place, only the people who once lived here.” I said, deciding to take a seat on the floor once again. There was so little room up here that I couldn’t even stand up straight. AJ had no problem, but he is also part dwarf, Dopey and Grumpy’s secret love child.

“She thought no one knew about this room besides her and her brother so don’t you think it’s a little weird those cops were up here? And she hid this stuff. Why hide it if you know no one will find it?” I asked.

AJ shrugged at me, “Maybe she was wrong.”

“I wonder if Kevin is having any luck?”

“I don’t know, but I don’t intend to go up and find out.” AJ wiped the dust off his already dirty jeans.

“I plan on going…which means you’ll be stuck all by yourself again.” I winked at him. God this was too much fun. Seriously, I wish Brian was here, he would get such a kick out of this.

“You know what Nick? You suck donkey ass.”

“Does that mean you’ll be following me up to the attic?”

“Yes.”

“Let’s go Scooby…” I took one final look at the small room, knowing full well I’d be back to explore some more and then ventured down the creaky steps and back into Tommy’s room.

Maybe there was something hidden in this room. I mean there was an entire secret room in this room, what’s to say there wasn’t anything else hidden in plain sight? I made a mental note to myself to come back in here and check every last inch of it before we headed up to the attic to see how Kevin’s search was progressing.

I swear AJ gasped at least ten times before we even got to the top of the steps. I guess I didn’t help because I kept making gasping sounds myself behind him as he went. I’m mean, but I’m just getting him back from my long list of ‘things to get AJ back for’ that I started compiling when I was 12. Taunting AJ in a semi, creepy haunted type house will now erase the time he told me that girls liked it when guys referred to their breast as knockers and the best way to hit on a girl was to ask if you could honk them.

“What are you guys doing?” Kevin asked as we reunited.

“Just checking to see if you found anything.”

“Just some empty notebooks and some really old condensed Reader’s Digest type books.” He said pointing to the small stack he was making in the middle of the floor. “We can probably toss some of the blank journals into the trash to see if they’ll go for the bait.”

“Good idea.” I said, picking up one of the journals and flipping through the empty pages.

“Oh and Howie just called, he’s at the airport. I was thinking maybe you’d like to go pick him up.”

I looked up at Kevin. “Me?”

“Yeah, if you don’t mind, this way AJ and I can finish things up here.”

“Why can’t I go get him?” AJ asked.

“Because I’m not letting you drive my car.”

“Wait a minute, you trust Carter but you don’t trust me?”

“Yeah.”

I smiled as wide as I could at AJ who had a look of sheer disbelief on his face, “What in the world? Did we just enter some kind of weird bizzaro world that I’m unaware of?”

“I think he’s just trying to get rid of me AJ.” I said shaking my head because come on, even though it was a nice thought that he would trust me over AJ, clearly he just wanted me out of the way or something.

“More like trying to keep you out of trouble. I don’t want you overworking yourself, you are still injured.” He said pointing to where I had been stabbed and then pointing to my head. Okay I’m a walking accident, I get it.

“I’ll go get him, I’m sure he’ll be excited to see me anyway.” I said kind of happy about seeing my Howie D. I missed the little guy.

Kevin went into his pocket and tossed me his car keys. “He’s coming in on American flight 125.”

“Gotcha.”

“What airline?” Ugh I hated when he did this!

“American.”

“What’s the flight number?”

“125 and the guy’s name is Howard, right?”

“That is correct Nickolas. We’ll see you back here in a little bit and then we’ll all head to dinner.” Kevin winked and smiled at me.

“Don’t have any fun while I’m gone please!” I said, afraid that I’d miss out on some action. “And AJ try not to be eaten by any ghosts… muhahahahaha!”

“Shut the hell up!” He answered in a most loving way.

I bounced down the stairs, suddenly finding myself in a very good mood. Now that he was almost here I was excited to see Howie. I know I was sad at first about him coming but now I am looking forward to it.

When I got in the car and adjusted everything, I realized I still had the empty notebook in my hands. I was about to put it down when I noticed something in the top right hand corner of the cover. The tiniest little 13 you could find. Seriously it was so small it could have been mistaken for the black inkblots which made up most of the cover’s surface.

“Thirteen again.” I said to myself, putting on Kevin’s overhead light and taking a closer look.

I couldn’t believe I didn’t notice it the first time I flipped through the pages but at the top corner of each page when flipped, almost formed one of those mini cartoons you could make by slightly changing the position of the drawing with each page. The only difference was, this wasn’t a drawing, these were words. Once again so small they were hard to make out. “I’m going to need to buy a magnifying glass.” I said out loud.

Luckily I knew where to get me one of those. At the airport of course! So I looked at the directions Kevin left for me, shut off the light and headed out to the airport.

~*~*~*~*~


I sat outside of Delta like I was supposed to, but still no Howie D in sight. “God where the hell is he?” I said, tapping my fingers on the steering wheel impatiently. I was just about to call Kevin when Howie called me.

“Where are you Nicky?” He sounded grumpy. Great…grumpy D. I guess I won’t be able to give him a nice hello licking then.

“I’m sitting outside waiting for you!”

“I’m outside and I don’t see you.”

“You are?” I got out of the car and searched the front entrance and there was no Howie D anywhere, but there was someone else. I felt my heart give an extra thump when I saw her, the policewoman who had knocked me out at Kevin’s house. She was sitting in a van a few cars away from mine.

“Nicky yes I am! I am at American’s terminal just waiting for you!”

“Oh….Shit that’s right, American!”

“Kevin knew you went to the wrong place!” He said, but I was only half listening. I wasn’t sure what exactly I should do.

“Uh…yeah…my bad. Hey D, will you do me a favor?”

“What?”

“Will you go into the gift shop and buy me a magnifying glass.”

“What?”

“A magnifying glass, a small one.”

“Why?”

“Just do it, please? I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

“Okay, fine!” He said hanging up on me and sounding more confused than ever. Poor Howie, he probably wanted to turn around and go back home.

I tried my best to not make it look like I saw her, afraid that if I did she might make her move on me. So, I just gradually got back into the car and left the terminal, looking for the American one and sure enough a few seconds after I took off, she started her car and followed me.

“Great…” I said to myself as I tried my best to lose her, weaving around the terminals, going from one to the other.

When I finally reached the correct one, Howie was standing outside and not looking very pleased. “Hey, sorry about that.” I said as I got out and grabbed his bags, throwing them in the car and looking around to see if I still had my tail.

“Is there a problem?” He asked me when he saw how distracted I was.

“Kind of, we should go.” I said, as he got into the car.

“What do you mean, kind of?”

I saw her appear in my rear view mirror again, “I mean you should buckle your seatbelt, we might be in for a bumpy ride.” I said as I stepped on the gas and high tailed it out of the parking lot, being followed close behind.
Chapter 18 by Mare
Author's Notes:
I'm back again woot!

I hope you enjoy this chapter :O)

Hope to see you soon and Thanks for reading!
~ 18 ~






Howie looked at me like I was some kind of crazy man as I sped out of the airport and down the road so fast, I was sure I’d get pulled over by at least airport security. It actually kind of disturbed me that no one cared about how fast I was going. Maybe they didn’t notice?



I kept looking in the mirror to see if my tail was still there and of course she was, but not as close as before. “Uh Nicky…mind telling me what’s going on?” Howie asked once we managed to get onto the highway.



“This is going to sound really strange.”



“Stranger than you asking me to buy you a magnifying glass?”



“Yeah… and did you, by the way?”



Howie answered by handing me a paper bag, “It was $50.00.”



“What the fuck? How big is it?”



“It’s tiny but it was an airport gift shop, what did you expect?”



“Wow…thanks D.”



“I will be paid back for that, correct?”



“Of course.”



I went to open the bag much to Howie’s dismay. How did I know he wasn’t pleased by this? He let out a gasp as if me looking down at the bag for five seconds while driving was going to get us killed. Now if he freaked out about that, can you imagine how he would be if I told him we were being chased by someone who shoots guns for a living?



“Why don’t I take that back and you can look at it when we get to Kevin’s, okay?” He said as he grabbed the bag out of my hands. “Why do you keep looking behind you?” He asked once he felt like I wasn’t going to kill him anymore I guess.



“Because we’re kind of being followed.”



He turned his head to which I, without even thinking about it, smacked him. “What the hell?”



“Sorry…don’t turn around.”



“Why?”



“Because we don’t want her to know that we know we’re being followed.”



“Her?”



“Yeah…it’s a long story.”



“Paparazzi?”



“Here? I don’t think so D, unless they have trained cows to take pictures.”



“Nick, I’ve been here for ten minutes and I already have a ‘you’ headache, so please just tell me what’s going on before my head explodes.”



I looked in the mirror one more time and was kind of surprised that I didn’t see anyone following me anymore. Maybe I lost her when I got on the highway. “Did Kevin tell you anything about his house?”



“Only that he loves it and that you seem to be mildly obsessed with it.”



I had to laugh because I could actually hear Kevin saying that while rolling his eyes and pushing his hair back in frustration as he paced while talking on the phone to Howie. “Did he say anything else?” I asked as I looked behind me one more time. Happy to see that there was absolutely no one on the road except for me.



“Just that you have been to the emergency room a few times too many for his liking and that one of them involved a teddy bear? I’m not sure I want to know the story behind that one.”



“What? I can’t believe he told you that!”



“I can’t believe you thought he wouldn’t.”



“Did he mention that the bear almost killed me?”



“No, he did not. Although to be honest, if he did I probably would have thought he had lost his mind.”



“We managed to get into some trouble…” I confessed not feeling like going into the damn Chub Chub story again.



“We?”



“Okay….me. I managed to get into some trouble with his house.”



“You got in trouble with the house?”



“Kind of.”



“Still not making sense Nicky.”



“There was this girl who lived there with her family and something bad happened and then there were these people who are also police officers who came in and knocked me out and stole stuff. She’s the one who’s following us.”



“The girl who used to live there?”



“No, the police officer who knocked me out.”



“You were knocked out by a female officer?”



“I know it sounds crazy Howie, but it’s true.”



“Is this before or after the teddy bear tried to kill you?”



“After.”



Howie just nodded with a half smile on his face. I have come to recognize that look as the one he used when he thought I was totally yanking his chain. He didn’t believe a word I said to him. Sweet D my ass!



“So why did you need the magnifying glass?” He asked.



“I need to decode something hidden in a book.”



He actually laughed out loud, “Nicky…sometimes you are just too much.”



“What is that supposed to mean?” Before he had a chance to answer, we were hit from behind with so much force that I lost control of the car and veered off the road and into a ditch.



~*~*~*~*~




I felt a hand on the back of my head and recognized the voice of Howie. “Nicky…please answer me.”



I swallowed hard and tried to move but I felt like a ten ton weight. “Nicky…come on…”



“What happened?” I managed to ask, slowly moving my head away from the steering wheel. I must have hit really hard because there was blood all over it. Great, I bet I opened up my stitches.



“Thank God…are you okay? Does anything hurt?” He sounded a little frantic and I was still trying to figure out why.



“My head…” He gently grabbed my face in his hands to get a better look.



“Help is on the way.” He said. I noticed he was bleeding a little bit as well.



“Are you okay?” I asked him, as he let go of my face and nodded at me.



“I’ll be okay.” He said, but he didn’t sound okay.



“What happened Howie?”



“I don’t know. I felt something hit us from behind, but for the life of me I didn’t see a thing.”



“So, no one stopped?” Howie shook his head.



“You said someone was following us…would she have actually done this? I mean would someone do this on purpose?” Now he believed me, sad that it took us almost dying AGAIN before he would.



“I think maybe…oh my God…Kevin is going to kill me!” I said when I realized what I had just done to his car! The same car he trusted me over AJ to drive.



“This wasn’t your fault Nicky and I called him right after I called the police. He wasn’t mad, just concerned.”



“You called the police?”



“Of course I did. They should be here any second with an ambulance so we can get you to the hospital.”



“But it was the police that did this!”



“Nicky…”



“I’m serious Howie! We can’t stay here, we have to go.” I tried to start the car but the engine wouldn’t catch. “We’re just sitting ducks right now!”



“Nick, we can’t just leave, besides this car isn’t going anywhere and you were out cold for at least ten minutes.”



“But it was them!”



“Nothing will happen Nicky, trust me okay? You need to go to the hospital and get that head looked at.” The flashing lights and sirens coming towards us made me finally take my hand of the key and sigh. “It’s going to be okay.” He placed his hand on my back just as the paramedics made their way to the car to check us out.





~*~*~*~*~*~






The ride to the hospital was one big blur. People were poking and prodding me all over the place. The entire time Howie was right by my side. If he called me Nicky one more time I was going to scream. I swear that’s all I heard, Nicky this and Nicky that. I don’t even know if he was talking to me or to the paramedics. Whatever the case I know I said “stop calling me Nicky” at least three times. People were laughing. Nice to know I could brighten so many days.



I fell asleep at one point because when I woke up I was met with AJ shaking his head at me. I wonder if he had been shaking his head the whole time I was asleep. Oh, and yes, if you are keeping tabs, this was the third time I was at the hospital. They probably will have a wing named after me with all the money I’ve been giving them on this mini vacation of mine.



“Hey.” I said, not even recognizing my own voice.



“You amaze me Carter.” Was AJ’s answer as he walked over from his chair to take a seat on the bed facing me. “Are you trying to give Kevin a heart attack? Make me gray? Kill Howie? All of the above?”



“Is Howie okay?” I asked when I noticed neither he nor Kevin were in the room shaking their heads at me.



“He’s fine. The police are questioning him about what happened.”



“It was her AJ, I’m almost positive. She was following me.”



“The police officer?” I nodded at AJ as he continued, “Howie mentioned you said that. He didn’t see anyone hit you guys though.”



“Well, something hit us.” I grimaced when I moved my head. “What’s wrong with me? What did the doctor say?”



“You have a mild concussion. They want to keep you overnight for observation, but other than that…you’re good to go.”



I nodded at him, “I’m not sure I’m all that happy about having to stay the night.”



“I’m not too sure you’ll have a choice in the matter.” He said, just as Kevin and Howie walked into the room. Kevin did not look like a happy camper. I was almost tempted to close my eyes again and pretend I was still asleep.



“You’re awake.” But obviously, I was a little too late for that.



“I’m sorry about your car Kevin.”



He walked over to me and placed his hand on my forehead. “Forget about the car, I’m just glad that the two of you are okay. Are you sure it was her Nick? I mean no doubt in your mind she was following you?”



“I’m sure. I saw her when I was waiting outside for Howie.”



Kevin had a look of intense anger on his face, “This has gone on long enough. We have to tell the police about this.”



“But Kevin she IS the police!”



“She’s not the entire police force Nick. They need to know they have two potentially bad cops on their force, don’t you think?”



“Kevin, I’m not sure that’s a wise choice. That’s a huge accusation and he has no proof. I mean he swore up and down he didn’t see anything at your house and then it’s just his word against hers that she was following him. Neither of them saw anything at the time of the crash. To report her now would do nothing but let them know WE know.” AJ said as he stood up and moved back to his chair, allowing Kevin to take the place on my bed he vacated. It’s not like my bed was this huge massive thing either. They were squishing me. I guess they had no idea that sick, injured Nick needs his own space.



“So we just let her try to kill him again?” All three of us made a shush sound to Kevin because he said that really loudly. I’m sure it echoed through the halls of the hospital.



“I don’t want to sound like an idiot and believe me I’m trying to grasp all of this, but why are the police trying to kill Nick?” Poor confused Howie. I looked over at him and saw the bandage on his head right above his left eye as he looked from one of us to the other, desperate for an answer that would make sense to him. “I mean I want to kill him sometimes but I’ve known him for 13 years. These people have just met him.” He stated it as fact. Sure I get why someone would want to kill Nicky but why only the first week? Most people it takes at least two weeks! Gotta love Howie.



“We don’t know Howie.” And I guess that’s the best any of us could do. I’m glad it came from AJ’s mouth and not mine though.



“Wait! What about the book? D, do you have the magnifying glass on you?”



“I left it in the car Nicky, it suddenly didn’t seem so important to me.”



“Shit! The notebook is in the car too. Guys I think I might have found something.” I said when I realized none of them knew what I was talking about. “There was tiny writing at the top of one of the notebooks from the attic.”



“Really?” Kevin said, looking down at the ground suddenly. “I thought I saw something at the top…”



“You mean on some of the others as well?”



“Yes.”



“That’s excellent! Maybe we’ll find what we’re looking for! You guys have to go back and get them so we can see what they say!” I was getting all excited again. No mere car crash was going to keep me away from solving this mystery!



AJ and Kevin looked at each other. It wasn’t a good look either. It was a ‘do you want to tell him or should I’ look.



“What?” I asked, although I think I already knew the answer.



“Well, I used them like I said I would and they are sitting in the trash outside.” His eyes got really big, “And maybe now that they know we are all here at the hospital, they are busy going through the garbage!” Kevin stood up really quickly and headed for the door.



“Where are you going?” I asked.



“To the house!” Kevin answered.



“It’s too dangerous!” Howie yelled, yes we had Howie D yelling. “Have you all lost your minds?”



“But Howie…”



“Kevin shut up! You are being ridiculous. You want to go back to that house knowing that some crazy people are there going through your garbage, crazy people who tried to run us off the road and know how to shoot guns?”



Kevin looked perplexed as if he hadn’t thought of that. “But if they take those books…” I started, only to be interrupted by Howie once again, who was now blocking the door by the way.



“They take them, so what? You still have the one in Kevin’s car. All we have to do is get that one, right? And besides if the print is so small, they might look at the books and not think there’s anything to them at all.”



All three of us didn’t know what to say. The voice of logic was too loud at that moment to come up with any rational reason why any of us should go back to the house. Damn Howie and his logic!



“Look, I have no idea what the holy hell has been going on here with the three of you, but I have been here for less than a day and I have already been in a car accident and now am in the middle of some big weird….” He was searching for the perfect word, “Thing.” And apparently he couldn’t find one. “I’m hot, headachy, tired and frankly a little stressed right now. So here’s what we are going to do. Nicky is going to get some sleep so he can come home tomorrow and the three of us are going back to the hotel…not the house where the crazy, bad cops might be, but to the hotel. Then tomorrow we will pick up Nick and all of us will sit down with this notebook and see what happens, okay?”



“Kay…” We all said at the same time like three children just yelled at by daddy.



“Good!” Howie let out a sigh and shook his head.



“I don’t want to be here alone.” I admitted just as they were about to walk out the door. “I mean, what if they come back here? They know I’m at the hospital.” Once again the three of them looked at each other.



“I’ll stay.” Kevin said as he walked over to the chair and had a seat.



I was kind of glad he volunteered. AJ would have been useless, he most likely would have hid under the bed and let the bad guys kill me and Howie was kind of scaring me at the moment.



“Do you guys need anything before we go?” AJ asked.



I shook my head and so did Kevin as he grabbed his jacket and rolled it into a ball and placed it under his head. “Okay then…see you guys in the morning. Nicky I’m glad you’re okay.” Nice Howie made a brief appearance. Good for Nice Howie.



“Thanks D…and I’m sorry for almost killing you and making you spend $50 bucks.” I answered.



He laughed and then came over and gave me a hug. I licked him, I had to! “You are gross!” He said shaking his head at me.



I extended my arms out for a hug from AJ, “Dude, that’s why I never hug your ass!”



“I don’t want you to hug my ass AJ.”



“Whatever…”



I laughed as they both exited the room. There was an odd quiet between Kevin and I and I felt him staring me down. Gah, I hated that. To look or not to look, that was the question.



I said the first thing that popped into my head, “You know Tommy and I have the same birthday.”



Kevin was still staring at me, “I know, AJ told me. He said that you guys were exactly 40 years apart and then I called him a moron!”



“Why?”



“Because he can’t add.” Okay I’ll play along.



“What do you mean?”



“He said Tommy was born in 1950…”



“Yeah and?”



“What year were you born Nickolas?”



“1980.”



“Okay…so….80 minus 50?”



“Wow you’re right, AJ is a moron!” I said, closing my eyes and trying not to laugh.



“You really gave us a scare tonight Nick. I mean a real scare. Don’t do that again.” I’m glad my eyes were closed when he said that, but I had to admit to feel cared about was nice. “Get some sleep kiddo.” He said softly as I heard the light in the room click off.



“I will.” I answered as I drifted off to sleep feeling safe for the time being.
Chapter 19 by Mare
Author's Notes:

Hello and sorry it has taken me soo long to get a new chapter out to you. My writing has been stagnant for awhile now. I wish I could say that I promise i'll pick it up but honestly it's just getting harder to write these days. I will make a promise to you though and say no matter what, I will finish this story as well as Scars. Just be patient with me and in the meantime, thanks soo much for reading. It means a lot and you guys all rock!!!

19  

The next morning we ended up back at the hotel, just like Howie had planned. I was given a relatively clean bill of health and sent on my way with Kevin who was extra grouchy from a night of sleeping on a chair. We ended up all gathered in my room as I was forced to lie down and take it easy.

 

Howie seemed to be in better spirits which I was grateful for. The last thing I felt like dealing with was an angry Howie. It wasn’t a pretty site. Happily, AJ had filled him in on a lot of the stuff that had happened since we ended up here in Kentucky so by the time we encountered D he already had a clue how knee deep in shit we actually were.

 

“So why do you think the police care so much about this family?” He was pacing back and forth with his hand on his chin.

 

“I don’t know.” Kevin answered honestly, moving next to me on the bed and making himself comfortable as he let out a slow yawn.

 

“Did you get the notebook and the magnifying glass out of the car yet?” I decided to ask when the room kind of just went silent. Everyone looked over at me as if I had just spoken Chinese. Hrmm, maybe I did speak Chinese. I mean it could happen, if you’re hit on the head enough in a week, miraculous things can occur. Of course I’d much prefer the ability to read people’s thoughts or fly than to speak Chinese. I wonder if I could work at a Chinese restaurant then because I am pretty sure that’s a requirement.

 

Since they were still looking at me as if I was a weirdo I tried my hand at some good old fashioned Chinese. “Hu Hu Kiki maka?”

 

“Nick, what the hell was that?” AJ asked laughing.

 

“Since I was being ignored in English I thought I’d go for Chinese.”

 

“That was more Hawaiian retard.”

 

 “Nick, about the notebook…” Oh that’s never a good way to start a sentence.

 

“Tell me it’s not there Howie. Go ahead, I dare you.”

 

“I’m not saying that. We couldn’t get to it because it’s in the shop right now. They towed it to a gas station and when we went there to get the stuff, it was already closed for the night.”

 

“It has to be open now though, right?” I sat up, only to be pulled back down by Kevin.

 

“Easy there Mr. Bill…” Yes because of all my accidents I had a new nickname. “You need to stay on this bed and relax. Howie and I will go. He stood up and yawned once more. Poor Kevin looked so tired and old. I am pretty sure we have aged him about thirty years.

 

“You’re leaving me with Mr. Bill? What if he gets his head caught between the bed and the nightstand or something? Do you have a helmet he can wear?”

 

The three of them think they are the funniest guys on the planet.

 

“You all suck!”

 

“Oh relax kid; we’re only joking with you.”

 

“Well I don’t think any of this is a laughing matter. I mean someone tried to kill Howie and me last night.” Someone had to be the Debbie Downer of this situation so it might as well be me, right?

 

“No one thinks this is funny Nick, believe me. Now you just stay in that bed and rest because we decided if you have to go to the hospital again we’re just going to let them keep you as their mascot or something.” Kevin smiled and wiggled his caterpillars at me while gently mussing my hair.

 

“Yeah, they can dress you like a band aide and call you Ouchie.” Howie added while giving me a wink.

 

“Ouchie…you are funny D. That was great.” AJ high fived him as he took Kevin’s place beside me on the bed. “Have fun guys and please be careful. I’ll make sure this one stays in one piece.” He assured them.

 

After they left, AJ clicked on Jerry Springer. He had a radar for really crappy TV shows. He could find Jerry Springer on any channel anywhere in the world. It was one of his secret talents. The other ones he had I would rather not go into. I’ll just say they are ‘self proclaimed talents,’ if you know what I mean. “You know…I’m not sure why you feel the need to make fun of me. You are far more accident prone than I am.” I was quick to remind him.

 

“Maybe, but not on this trip….dude that friggin’ midget is totally gonna kick that fat guy’s ass!” 

 

I decided maybe it was time to take a nice nap. My eyes were getting heavy and there was still that dull ache at the back of my head, so I drifted off to sleep while listening to a bunch of random morons hooting and yelling ‘Jerry!’ in the background.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~

 

  I hate when I am feeling so restless I can’t do anything. I think of a thousand things to actually do but when it comes to doing any of them, all I want to do is sit and pull my hair out. I’m also tired of being mad at the world. I find myself getting so mad and angry about things all the time. I’ll look at my friends and it appears like they have no cares in the world. They are in the same exact position as me when it comes to being famous but they have nothing they have to worry about. Their families are great, you know? Brian’s got the best mom and dad on the planet and my God don’t even get me started on Howie and his family. They have no clue what it’s like to be me. No matter how many times I explain my situation to them they always give me this look, the one that tells me to stop whining and exaggerating. I never did either though; all I did was tell the truth.  “I understand completely. We’re one in the same you and me.”  

 

The sound of Belle’s voice, or of what I would imagine her to sound like, woke me out of my sleep…or maybe even a half sleep. I’m not sure. Sometimes when I think I’m napping, I’m actually just thinking. I used to hate those quiet times as a kid. I would use that as an excuse to go visit Brian’s room. Nowadays I use it as an excuse to get drunk enough to quiet those voices inside my head. Unfortunately I was without both Brian and tequila so I decided to sit up, only to find Kevin, Howie and AJ all sitting around the small table in the room talking and sounding intrigued by something.

 

“Oh good, you’re awake. Feeling any better?”

 

I nodded at Kevin and stretched my arms way over my head. “Is that the book?” I asked slowly walking over to join my friends.

 

“Yeah and I have to say you were right Nicky. There’s some stuff written really tiny in the corners of each page but for the life of me I don’t get any of it.” Howie said while handing me the magnifying glass he bought.

 

“There’s a lot of numbers and symbols.” AJ added as I moved in for a look.

 

He was right, at the top of almost every page there were symbols and numbers. The symbols were all kind of ‘U’ shaped, with half hearts and looked like things you’d find in a Fantasy novel. One thing they all had in common though was the presence of a small rectangle followed by the number thirteen. “What do you think the rectangles mean?” I asked Kevin as if he would know.

 

“No idea. I wonder if she was obsessed with the number thirteen or something. Isn’t there a disease like that.”

 

“A disease AJ?” Howie asked semi amused.

 

“Yeah, Triscuitaphobia or something.”

 

“First of all that would be a phobia and not a disease and secondly that would be fear of Triscuits….speaking of which, I’m hungry. Is anyone else hungry?”

 

Howie walked over to the night table and pulled out the room service menu as we continued to examine the book. “Have you tried flipping the pages fast to see if the drawings come to life?” I asked, excited about the thought. I mean when I was bored, that’s what I did. They all looked at me as if I was a genius.

 

“No, can’t say I thought of that. Good idea little man!”

 

I smiled wide. I couldn’t help it. Whenever Kevin complimented me it just made me feel like I was smart. I’m a huge dork, I know this. “Shit…look at this!” AJ exclaimed as he flipped quickly through the pages.

 

“Wow…whoever did this was really good. That took skill. I mean those drawings are so small.” I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. The weird symbols that resembled half hearts and the letter U came to life in the form of feet which slowly began to climb up the rectangular shapes as each page flipped.

 

“Yeah, talented but do you think it actually means anything?” Kevin asked. I could tell he was growing frustrated by the lack of answers we were coming up with.

 

“I don’t know…” I said as I flipped the pages once more. I had done it at least five times already and was amazed by it every single time. It was so intricate, the way the hearts flipped over to be feet as they carefully climbed each step…

 

“They’re steps.”

 

“Huh?” AJ asked confused.

 

“These rectangles are stairs.”

 

“Okay…that makes sense….and?”

 

“Maybe it has something to do with the house?”

 

“How?” Kevin asked, now very into the conversation.

 

“Maybe there’s something hidden under the stairs or something.”

 

They all looked at each other and shrugged. All except for Howie who really wasn’t paying attention to anything that was going on in the room at all. “What do you think Howie?” I decided to ask, kind of annoyed that he was caring more about his stomach then what was going on with us.

 

He looked up from the menu, “I don’t know guys…I have a bad feeling about this. Ever since AJ filled me in, I just think it’s something we should leave alone and let professionals handle it.”

 

“But the professionals are part of the problem. How many times do I have to tell you that?” AJ asked D who once again made his way over to the table to examine the drawings coming to life.

 

“I know…but even still. It just seems like we are sticking our noses into something that is none of our business.”

 

“That’s what I thought too, until someone broke into my house and knocked my baby brother out. Now I feel like it’s my business.”

 

“Awe thanks bro!” I said, feeling the need to go over and hug Kevin…which I did, by the way.

 

Howie had a hard time finding an argument for that one so he just shrugged and sat at the table, probably hoping we’d change our minds and play a game instead or something. Sometimes D was too naïve for his own good.

 

“So you really think it might have to do with stairs? Maybe this is the only type of cartoon she knew how to draw?” AJ said looking over at me as if he wanted to apologize for possibly insulting this girl I didn’t even know.

 

“I don’t think she drew it.”

 

“You don’t?”

 

I shook my head. “I don’t think she was the artist. I think Tommy was.”

 

“Tommy?” Howie sounded confused again. Funny how one little name could do that to someone.

 

“Belle’s brother, he’s the one that seems to have disappeared and is probably dead as a doornail in that tiny locked room in the basement.”

 

“You neglected to mention dead people and tiny locked rooms in basements.” For some reason Howie shot me a dirty look as if I had put a dead body in Kevin’s basement myself or something.

 

“We’re not sure if there’s anything in that room because we have yet to explore it.”

 

“And I don’t think we should if you think there’s a corpse in there.”

 

“I doubt there’s anything in there worth getting all hot under the collar about.” Kevin was quick to add, but I had a feeling he wasn’t believing his own words. In fact, I knew exactly what he was doing. He was starting to play down the seriousness of the situation because he knew that the more Howie realized how dangerous it was the least likely he would be to let us do anything harebrained.

 

Oh my God!

 

Kevin is turning into me!!!

 

I think Howie realized that as well because he shot Kevin one of those looks he usually reserved for me. “Even still…I think we should think before we do anything.”

 

“And since when have we done that?” I asked while getting snorts of approval from Kevin and AJ. “I think we should go back to your house and take a closer look at the stairs.” I said nodding my head. That was the only logical thing to do, really.

 

“Maybe I’ll look at the stairs and you can look in the small room.” AJ volunteered.

 

“Aren’t any of you even listening to me?” That was Howie of course.

 

“I don’t know about you going exploring again so soon after getting out of the hospital. The doctor said you needed rest Nick.”

 

“I can rest when I’m dead.”

 

“At the rate you’re going we could probably pencil that in for sometime next week.”

 

“Don’t even joke like that AJ!” HA! I love it when Kevin yells at AJ. It makes me happy for some reason.

 

“Hello? Is anyone even listening to me anymore? Where’s Brian? He needs to be here. I can’t possibly be the only one with common sense in this group, right?”

 

“Kevin, I’ll be fine. I really need to just find out what’s going on. I don’t know why, but it’s really important to me.” I said, totally ignoring Howie now, just to get him mad.

 

Kevin nodded and pat me on the back, “Okay, but we are going to stick together you and I this time.”

 

“Hello?”

 

“Howie you and AJ can check the steps and Nick and I will tackle that small room.”

 

You could tell that Howie wanted to say something smartass to Kevin but instead he just shrugged, “Whatever, I give up.”

 

“Well we better get going then, while it’s nice and early.”

 

“Yeah because your place is scary ass at night…no offense Kev.”

 

“None taken AJ, I know you’re just a wuss.”

 

Even though I was happy that we were going back to the house, I felt the tiniest little flutter down in my gut, screaming at me that we were making a huge mistake. It didn’t matter though, because I had to know what the big secret was. What were these cops so eager to find? Maybe the answer was behind that little door.

  
Chapter 20 by Mare
Author's Notes:

Hello! YAY I updated! lol I guess once a month is better than nothing, right? This one is getting closer to being finished so i'm going to try to update it more often. Thanks for reading and I hope it was worth the wait. :O)

20   

 

“Sleep my child and peace attend thee all through the Night…Guardian angels God will send thee all through the night.”  

That song has always given me chills. My mother and father meant to sing it like a lullaby but in actuality it gave me nightmares. I had visions of ghostly figures sweeping into my window late and night and taking me away to protect me from whatever it was the stupid song was about. I mean don’t get me wrong, the idea of guardian angels is a nice one. Who doesn’t feel like they need someone watching over them, always looking over their shoulder and protecting them from whatever lies hidden? But still, I’ve always been terrified of things that I couldn’t see or worse yet, things that were just out of my reach.  

I guess maybe the reason that song bothered me was because even from the time I was young enough to have my parents sing to me and not make it seem creepy, I’ve always known that there would be no peace for me. I never once thought I’d be the person the guardian angels would have to guard against though…  

“Wow, nice house Kevin.” Howie said after literally standing and staring at it for a full five minutes in utter silence. I laughed, I couldn’t help it.

 

“Thanks.” Kevin answered, shooting me a look.

 

“It’s a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be.” Howie was looking up at the second floor from the outside. I half expected to see a ghostly figure standing at the window waving at him. I think he might have expected that too.

 

“You mean creepier don’t you D?” AJ whispered carefully making sure Kevin couldn’t hear him.

 

Howie’s silence after that question was all we needed. “Well, let’s get in there and find what we need to find already.” Kevin said leading us all inside his house.

 

“Alrighty, let’s go in and kill us some ghostly bitches!”

 

“Kill us some ghostly bitches AJ?”

 

“Yeah man, I felt like we needed some kind of catchy tag line.”

 

“Okay shit head this is my house, not Satan’s liar or anything.” Kevin seemed to be getting annoyed by us. Wonder why?

 

The place was just as we left it the last time we were here. I’m not sure why I was expecting it to look any different but part of me was. I half expected it to be rummaged through. Everything tossed around and searched but it wasn’t. It was ‘anal Kevin, neat as could be’ clean.

 

“Okay Nick and I are heading down to the basement. Why don’t you guys check up in the attic, paying attention to the stairs as you go up?”

 

“The attic? Why the attic? Why not these stairs right here?”

 

“Because I have been up and down these steps a thousand times and I know there isn’t anything hidden along them AJ.”

 

“I don’t want to go up to the attic.”

 

“Oh for the love of…”

 

“AJ, I have a feeling it’s the steps leading up to that secret room.” I interrupted.

 

“Secret room, you mean the tiny door room?”

 

“No Howie, there’s a secret room in the closet of one of the bedrooms.”

 

“Of course there is, why wouldn’t there be.” Poor D said, shaking his head.

 

“Fine, go check there then. Come on Nick!” Kevin handed me a flashlight and once again I felt a little flutter at the bottom of my stomach. “Be careful guys.” He warned handing AJ and Howie their very own flashlights which they seemed hesitant to take. “The lights do work, right?”

 

Kevin sighed and rolled his eyes at AJ, “Yes the lights work, but better safe then sorry.”

 

“Okay good, because I never understood why people would search a haunted house only with a flashlight. I mean if the lights don’t work than get the hell out of there!”

 

“My house is not haunted!”

 

“I know, I was just saying...”

 

“Just go searching before you wet your pants.” Kevin said, smiling at Bone and shaking his head.

 

We watched as they went up the stairs. I was almost certain that AJ would pull a Cowardly Lion and go running through the nearest window, but I was wrong. They miraculously made it all the way up to the top of the steps without him wussing out. Great, now that he didn’t wuss out that meant I couldn’t either.

 

“You sure you’re up for this little man?” I looked over at Kevin and nodded. He had a concerned expression on his face, probably because I had zoned out.

 

We walked down to the basement and as we reached the bottom I felt the urge to ask a very random question, “Why are you leaving us Kevin? I mean after all this time. How can you not think this is fun anymore?”

 

“Now’s not the time to have this conversation Nick.” He said never even giving me a look but only focusing on the hallway in front of him.

 

“When is a good time to have it then?”

 

“How about when we aren’t trying to uncover a conspiracy which has law enforcement illegally breaking into my house and running my friends off the road.”

 

“Okay, whatever man.” I said rolling my eyes at him even though he had a point.

 

When we reached the tiny door, I stood on one side of it while Kevin stood on the other. “Here we are and you are right, this is indeed one tiny little door.”

 

“Yup, but are you ready for whatever might be on the other side?” I asked him. For my part, I was growing more uncertain about opening it up. He didn’t give me much time to have second thoughts though because he grabbed the small key from his pocket and placed it in the lock and before I could even get one word out he had the door opened. A blast of hot air escaped the room, followed by a very foul stench. “Something is definitely dead in there.” I said while trying not to vomit from the smell.

 

 “Maybe you should stay out here.” He said looking over at me.

 

I didn’t want to argue with him because now after smelling what was coming from that room, I was pretty certain I did not want to go in there. Maybe Tommy has been waiting for someone to find him for years. Maybe it was the entire family, or maybe… “Jesus it’s a huge dead raccoon.”

 

Okay that was not one of the scenarios I was expecting. “A what?” I asked, maybe hearing him wrong.

 

“It’s a raccoon but never mind that, get in here and look at this.” He pulled me by my shirt into the little room. So much for keeping me out of danger I guess. And that hurt!

 

The smell was horrid inside the room. I’m not sure why he felt inclined to stay in there with the dead animal that was lying on its back, all dead like, right beside where Kevin pulled me in. “Gross!” I said putting my hand to my nose and grimacing.

 

He flashed his light on the wall and pointed, “Look at that.”

 

It was hard to make out because the room was so dark, even with the aide of a flashlight, but the artwork that was on the wall was astounding. It didn’t even look like a wall anymore. I heard Kevin shuffling around right beside me, and then seconds later a small overhead light went on. “That is amazing.” He said, moving closer to the wall to get a better look. Once you got through the tiny door, the actual room was normal sized. The ceiling was even a little higher than usual.

 

I was amazed as I looked at the intricate designs of the artwork all along the room. Not just the one wall had been painted but the entire room, ceiling and all. “This must have taken years to do,” I said standing up and placing my hand along the wall tracing the outline of what appeared to be the main staircase with my fingers. Whoever did this, made the inside of the room look like an exact replica of the living room. With the staircase being the main focus.

 

“It looks so real.” Kevin sounded as if he was in awe. “Do you think your girl drew this?”

 

“No, I think it might have been her brother.”

 

As I glanced around the entire room, trying my best to ignore the dead thing in there, I couldn’t believe how detailed everything was. The fireplace stood on one wall with all the photos on it. The pictures of the photos looked so real. You’d never guess they were painted on. On the wall opposite the tiny door, there were life sized drawings of all the family members, including Belle who had the softest hint of a smile on her face. Tommy was standing right next to her with his armed firmly wrapped around her shoulder. “I don’t recognize this picture.” I said out loud as I walked closer to it.

 

“I’m sure they have more photos then we have seen Nick.”

 

“Someone is missing from this one though…” I walked even closer to it standing so close that if the ghost of Tommy wanted to, he could have pulled me right through the wall and into the pit of hell. Okay that was a bit over the top, even for me, but I think I’m making my point.

 

“The two of you do really look a lot alike.” I turned towards Kevin and noticed how intently he was staring at me. I was standing right beside Tommy. “Maybe you are related in some way. Maybe that’s why you feel so connected to this family.”

 

“That would be some coincidence wouldn’t it? I mean talk about fate. You buy this house and me ending up being related to these people.”

 

“There’s no such thing as coincidence Nick. I learned that a long time ago.”

 

I was just about to press him on that one when I realized who was missing from the family portrait. It was because he was on the other wall taking the picture with a camera. “Looks like dad took the picture.” I said walking back towards the other wall. This room was almost Disney World like. I have a feeling I could spend a week in there and never see everything that was right in front of me.

 

Right in front of me….

 

That thought made me walk towards the picture of the stairs again. “Do you see any weird symbols or anything on the steps?” I asked Kevin who had finally made the dead raccoon his goal.

 

“I’ll be right back.” He said, taking it and placing it in a garbage bag and walking it out the tiny door.

 

“Kay” I half answered, once again directing my attention to the stairs. I noticed it when I got about two inches away. That’s how small it was, but it was there, the number 13. It was written on the corner of every single step as it led up to the top. “What is it about that number?” I found myself turning around to ask the fake family on the wall.

 

Once again, Belle’s smile hit me like a summer breeze. It was so warm and friendly. It’s when I looked at her eyes that I felt the slightest chill. “What the hell is that?” I whispered, walking over and taking a closer look. There in her eye’s reflection was a dark, sinister red. It was just a hint of it, but enough to make me want to back away.

 

I turned back to look at her father and he had the same thing going on in his eyes. I noticed that even though he was holding the camera in his hands, he was staring at his daughter with a smirk on his face. I recognized that smirk. I had seen it many times before when looking into my own father’s eyes. I could tell from this painting that this man was not a good or nice man, just like my own dad.

 

My attention then went to Tommy. While everyone else was looking at the camera and smiling, his eyes were down looking at the ground. “Did you find anything?” I felt my heart go into my throat before screaming like a little girl. “Jesus Kevin, don’t do that!” I managed to get out while holding my hand to my heart to keep it from leaping out of my chest.

 

“A little jumpy there, little man?” He actually looked amused. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Kevin is weird.

 

“Uh…” That was my reply to his stupid question. “I wonder if AJ and Howie are having any luck upstairs.” I said, taking notice of Tommy’s hand. While one arm was wrapped around his sister, the other one was straight at his side. That was normal enough, but what caught my attention, was the fact that four of his fingers were curled into his palm while the other was pointing towards the ground.

 

“I checked up on them after throwing out the raccoon. They haven’t found anything. AJ let out a little girly yelp just like you did though. I guess I’m good at sneaking up on people.”

 

“Yeah, you’re a regular Ninja Kevin. I wonder what he’s pointing at.”

 

“Huh?”

 

I motioned for him to come closer to the picture so I could show him what I was talking about but when he moved towards me, the tiny door slammed shut.

 

“What the fuck!” Kevin said, rather un-calm like.

 

He turned back towards the door, ready to open it up again when we heard it being locked from the outside. “HEY!!” He screamed! “AJ if this is supposed to be a joke, it’s not funny! Let us out!” He furiously banged on the door but I already knew it wasn’t AJ who did that.

 

“Jesus.” Was all I could manage to whisper as Kevin continued to bang. I frantically looked around the room to see if there was a window or something we could escape from but there wasn’t anything more than the pictures all around the room.

 

“LET US OUT!” Kevin screamed once more, now kicking the door.

 

“I’m sorry, I can’t do that.” A woman’s muffled voice said through the thick wood.

 

Kevin looked over at me. I did not like the look in his eyes. I have only seen that look on him a handful of times. “You have to let us out of here! We’ll suffocate!” He said, once again pounding.

 

“That’s how that raccoon died, isn’t it?” I asked him after he finally gave up.

 

He turned towards me and bit his bottom lip. “I hope AJ and Howie are okay.” He said before walking back towards me and sitting on the floor.

 

“If they’re not then we are as good as dead.” I said, wondering how long that poor raccoon was trapped in the room before he finally died.

                           

End Notes:

* All Through the night is a traditional German lullaby. :O)

Chapter 21 by Mare
Author's Notes:

Wow! I'm back with another chapter! I guess you can thank all the Chub Chub talk lol And the great feedback you guys give me on this one. I'll really try to update this more often as it's getting towards the end of the tale now. As always thanks for reading and Happy Thanksgiving!

 

 

21  

I watched as Kevin kicked the door and continued to yell at the top of his lungs. I didn’t have the heart to stop him and secretly I didn’t want to. I was hoping that eventually the bad guys would get tired of hearing him yell and come down and let us out, but I was beginning to worry about him as a huge stream of sweat rolled down his back making a wet, black spot on his gray tee shirt, so being the good ‘brother’ that I am, I intervened.

 

“Kevin, you need to stop that and conserve your energy.” I finally said above little more than a whisper.

 

He banged once more and then placed his arms at his side, “I know.”

 

I pat the ground beside me and a few seconds later that’s where he ended up. “I hope Howie and AJ are okay.” He said as he pulled his knees up and placed his arms around them.

 

“I have a feeling they’re safely locked away in that secret room.” I answered hoping I was wrong but knowing I was right.

 

Kevin turned to face me, “Are you okay? I mean how are you feeling?”

 

“I’m okay.”

 

We were able to hear footsteps above our heads which sounded like they were in the living room. “I wonder what they are doing up there?”

 

Kevin placed his hand over his eyes as if to shield himself from the invisible sun. “I don’t know, but I hope whatever it is they’re looking for they find already.”

 

I nodded at him as a whole stream of thoughts entered my mind, none of them good. For instance, what if they did find what they were looking for and decided that they couldn’t leave any witnesses? How easy would it be for them to set the house on fire with all four of us trapped inside? Or what if they get so frustrated about not finding what they want that they come back here and decide to take out their frustrations on us? The possibilities were endless so to keep my brain from further coming up with even more I decided to veer off the side of the road for a minute to a topic that scared me as much, but in the end wouldn’t result in my dying a horrible death.

 

“Seems to me we can pick up the conversation we were having earlier.” I stretched my legs out in front of me, trying to make myself as comfortable as possible.

 

“What conversation?” He asked.

 

“About why you’re leaving.”

 

“You really want to talk about this now?”

 

I shrugged at him, “I don’t see why not. It’s not like we both have anything better to do at the moment and besides before I die of suffocation I’d like to know the answer to that question.”

 

“We’re not going to suffocate Nick. There’s plenty of air in here.” He pointed to the small spot under the door. I hadn’t noticed it before but was thankful for it. “And I feel a small breeze coming from over there somewhere. If anything we’ll starve to death first.”

 

“Oh wow thanks Kevin. You really have a way of making a guy feel better about things.”

 

“I try.”

 

“Okay then, how about explaining…before you eat me.”

 

He took a deep breath, it’s almost like I was his son and we were about to have the ‘sex’ talk. “I don’t know buddy…it’s not like it’s a decision I’m making on a whim. I’ve had plenty to time to think it through.”

 

“But why?”

 

“It’s not fun for me anymore. I didn’t enjoy myself all last tour. All I wanted was for it to end. That’s how I knew it was time to move on.”

 

“Maybe it was just that one tour. This time around things may be different for you.”

 

He shook his head as he continued to stare at the wall, the one where Belle’s father was ready to take a picture of us all. “We want to have a baby.”

 

“I know Kevin, but Brian did it and it worked out.”

 

“That was different. Kris and I aren’t young anymore Nicky…” He was calling me Nicky, which means in his head I had just morphed into that twelve year old he couldn’t relate to.

 

“Leighanne is older than Kris.”

 

“Leighanne never miscarried though.” I looked over at Kevin as he continued to talk. “Kris has miscarried twice now. If she gets pregnant she’ll need bed rest and lots of looking after. Things I wouldn’t be able to do for her on the road with you guys.”

  

“I didn’t know she had two miscarriages.”

 

“It’s not something we wanted to talk about. She can’t seem to carry a baby past the first trimester.”

 

I was hurt that I didn’t know this secret and couldn’t help but wonder if I was the only one kept in the dark, as always. “Is she pregnant now?”

 

He glanced over at me for the first time since we started this chat and shook his head, “Not yet but she’s going to be taking some hormones. I am hoping that by the time you guys have a new album out, I’ll be a father.”

 

It sounded so weird hearing him say ‘you guys’ and excluding himself from the group like that. “I don’t want you to think it’s anything personal because it’s not. I love the four of you. It’s just that I can’t do it anymore.”

 

“So that’s it then? Just like that after 14 years together?”

 

“It’s not just like that. This has been hard for me, God…you have no idea how long I‘ve been planning this out, trying to figure out how to tell all of you.”

 

“You told everyone except me though!”

 

“That’s not exactly true.”

 

“It’s not? How come I’m the only one who didn’t know then?”

 

“I didn’t tell AJ either. That was the purpose behind this trip. I just guess that Brian or Howie told him before I got a chance to.”

 

“Yeah, but they didn’t tell me. Nobody tells me anything.” I sounded like a whiny little twelve year old, but it was true. They always kept things from me. Do you know how much that sucks? To always feel like you’re the one person out of the loop?

 

“I have to apologize to you.” He said after a few more seconds of silence and one big sigh.

 

“For what?”

 

“For this, for what’s happening now.”

 

“This isn’t your fault Kevin.”

 

“Not directly, no but I haven’t been totally honest with you either.”

 

“What do you mean?” I asked, very curious to know what he was talking about.

 

“The truth is I know all about this family…” We both jumped when we heard a huge boom coming from upstairs. Kevin stood up and moved to the door, “I wonder what that was?”

 

“I don’t know, maybe they are throwing your furniture around up there.” I really had no clue what to say anymore. I was totally confused about everything. I just wanted this all to end so I could go back home to my miserable life. Kevin wasn’t going to be in the Backstreet Boys anymore, our time together as a band of brothers was coming to a close and I felt powerless to do anything about it.

 

In the midst of my inner turmoil I hadn’t noticed him looking at me. “What?” I asked rather defensively.

 

“What if that picture is literal?”

 

“Like Brian?”

 

“Not Littrell…Literal! I mean what if Tommy is pointing to the exact spot where maybe something is hidden?”

 

Oh my God, I never even thought about that! I quickly turned around and stared at the picture. I was sitting right next to the place Tommy was pointing to. “There was something hidden under the floorboards in the attic, maybe they did the same thing here!” I said as I fiddled with the floor next to me. Sure enough the board right where Tommy was pointing was very loose. “We need something to pry this open with!” I said to Kevin as I got on all fours ready to yank.

 

Kevin searched the room and finally found an old hanger which he happily handed over to me, “Try this.”

 

I grabbed the hanger and unbent it as best I could. “Try not stabbing yourself in the eye with it.”

 

“What?”

 

“You have been kind of accident prone lately. If you poke your eye out there’s nothing we can do about it at the moment.” Yes, he was being serious. He wasn’t being a smart ass. This is how Kevin thinks in a crisis situation.

 

“I’ll be careful.” I said, deciding to leave the barrage of smart ass comments I could have come back with to myself, for now anyway.

 

I placed the straight hanger into the small crack between the boards and tried my best to hoist the piece of wood out of the ground. No matter how hard I tried it just wouldn’t give. “Let me try.” Kevin said moving his hands in a gesture as if to say ‘get the heck out of my way.’

 

“If I can’t do it, you can’t either.” I still hated when he pushed me out of the way just so he could do it himself.

 

“When I’m stabbed by a teddy bear, than you can say that, for now maybe you should just let me have a go at it.”

 

“Always with the bear…” I rolled my eyes at him.

 

“That’s what happens when you get stabbed by Mr. Snuggles.” He rolled his eyes back at me.

 

“Chub Chub.” I was quick to correct him.

 

“Whatever, just move.” I rolled my eyes at him again as he helped me get to my feet. Once I was up we quickly changed positions, now he was on all fours as I stood watching. There had to be something hidden under there. I just had that feeling, it was so obvious.   

 

“I wonder what’s so important that those cops are willing to break and enter to find it.”

 

“What if it’s not the cops?” He asked me.

 

“It has to be, I mean you think there’s someone else up there?”

 

“I don’t know what I think anymore…I got it!” He exclaimed happily as he managed to yank the board from its foundation.

 

“Is there anything under there?” I found myself crowding around him to get a closer look. Part of me wanted to push him entirely out of the way; feeling like this discovery has always been meant for my eyes only.

 

Kevin placed his hand down into the ground, “I think I feel something.” He said as he grimaced and stuck his tongue out. I really do think he’s turning into me.

 

“Well?” I was growing impatient. I mean how deep can that hole be?

 

“It’s stuck…”

 

“But there’s something there?”

 

“Definitely, but I can’t get it out.”

 

“What does it feel like?”

 

“A book.”

 

“Really?”

 

“No, I’m joking.”

 

“No need to be a jerk.”

 

“Sorry.”

 

“You want me to try?”

 

“If I can’t get it out of there, you wouldn’t be able to either.”

 

“Let me be the judge of that.”

 

He took his hand out of the small hole, “Fine, but don’t get yourself stuck in there.”

 

“Jesus!”

 

“Don’t Jesus me.” 

 

“Don’t Jesus you? What does that even mean?” He moved out of the way and I took his place, quickly sticking my hand down the hole and feeling the spine of a book. “I feel it.” I tried yanking it out of the ground, but like Kevin said, it was really stuck on something.

 

“Well?”

 

“It’s coming.” I yanked even harder. After all the crap I’ve been through I needed to know what this was, even if it turned out to be nothing more than a porn magazine or something. I wonder what porn magazines looked like back then.

 

There was another huge bang from upstairs which made me remember the situation we were in. “Nick, hurry before they come down here.” I guess it also reminded Kevin.

 

I decided to pull with all my might so I grabbed the spine as tight as I could and pulled and thankfully it came out of the hole. “Yes!” I said as I fell over from the exertion used to un-lodge the book from its decades of burial.

 

Kevin grabbed it out of my hands before I even got a chance to see what it was, “It looks like it’s another journal.” He said as he dusted off the front cover of the book.

 

“Whose is it?” I asked as I went to take it from him.

 

“It says Belle on the cover.” He handed it over and I felt a rush of adrenaline hit me.

 

“She went to a lot of trouble to hide this thing.” I said as I sat down with Belle’s life in my hands. I understood though, the second I opened it up to the first page, why it was hidden and maybe also why people were upstairs frantically searching. On the very first page it said this:

 

 We all do things in our lifetime we aren’t proud of. Sometimes those things go away and when they do, we let out a great sigh of relief...but sometimes when you think they are gone...the reality is that they are just lingering in the dark and waiting to be found. 

I’ve hidden the truth for too long.  

This is my confession… 

“Holy shit.” I whispered, not sure if I wanted to open my eyes to the darkness that was waiting to be found.

  
Chapter 22 by Mare
Author's Notes:
This was a long time coming. Sorry for the delay. I would say i'll try to update sooner but we all know that's a lie. LOL Thanks for reading and Anita thanks for giving me that extra push to finish this!

22 

 I felt like I had been waiting so long to find out what Belle’s big secret was that now I was almost reluctant to have my questions answered. I pictured her as a young girl, maybe just going through puberty or possibly older than that. Sitting in the very spot I was sitting, worried and anxious that at any moment she would be caught. Maybe her brother was her lookout. Maybe he stood right outside the door ready to warn her that someone was coming. Whatever she was hiding in the depths of this small little room must have been so intensely personal that it wouldn’t be right for me to look. 

On the other hand, maybe she was hoping that one day her journal would be found and that her biggest secrets and regrets would finally be purged. Isn’t that why people who commit suicide leave long notes explaining why they did what they did?  I mean that’s what I was going to do. When I was at my lowest low, I remember sitting on the floor at some generic hotel room, pen in one hand and bottle of tequila in the other. The paper I had been writing on with the hotel letterhead across the top had been badly stained by my accidentally dropping some ketchup on it. I had no intention of leaving that hotel room alive. When I said goodbye to my friends for the night, I wasn’t thinking ‘I’ll see you tomorrow,’ I was thinking, ‘Don’t hate me for what I’m about to do.’  

I even called my mother for one last time. She asked me for money of course but I made sure I told her I loved her. I was done, ready to call it in, until I got stuck writing that damn note. The things I was saying sounded so dumb. My reasons for killing myself were so insignificant, that I just couldn’t go through with it. I balled the paper into my fist and threw it in the garbage, and then I set it on fire which caused the alarms to go off all throughout the hotel.  The point I’m trying to make is that I was writing out this note in hopes that whoever found it would understand why I was doing what I was doing. If I didn’t want anyone to know I wouldn’t have written it down in the first place.  With that thought in my head, I decided to flip past the first page and dive into Belle’s life.  

I never wanted things to go this far. I mean if I realized things would get so out of hand I would have taken everyone’s advice and left. Sometimes I can be so stupid. Such a stupid child, God I’d get so mad at my sister when she’d say things like that to me. “Belle, go away you’re such a stupid child. Stop following me around all over the place and leave me alone. You have no idea what it’s like to be an adult.” Not that she did either. She was saying those things to me long before she even had a pair of boobs.  

I digress… 

This is so hard for me to say, but it needs to be said so here it goes. I love my family. I always have but ever since I was a small child I have lived in constant fear of my father. His mood swings always scared me to death. He would be able to hide them under his very charming smile but deep down inside all of us saw past the dimples we all inherited into his soul, and in there was one very mean man. I feel so bad saying that because he’s done so much for me and for all my siblings, but it’s true. My dad isn’t a very nice person or I guess I should say, wasn’t.

 My mother always said she’d leave him. After he’d go off on one of his tirades which ended with lots of broken things which my money bought for us, He’d storm out of the house and as my mother cleaned up his mess she’d say how one day she’d take all of us kids and leave this place. It scared me at first, the thought of just leaving him behind. I used to think that if we ever did leave him, he’d get so upset he’d end up killing himself.

As I got older, the thought of leaving him scared me for a different reason. I was afraid that he’d try to find us and when he did, he’d end up killing us all. Like I said, my dad wasn’t a very nice person, not in the least. The abuse started when I was about ten years old. He never touched me until then. All the other kids were fair game but he left me alone because I guess I was his golden ticket.

Now I know I’m using the word abuse which might be a slight exaggeration because he never really hurt me that badly. An occasional push or kick to my butt. If social services were around or even cared about someone like me, they’d probably laugh at my accusations. He actually never really hurt any of us all that bad, except for Tommy. He was brutal to my little brother.  

My mother would beg him to leave the kid alone but her pleading would go unanswered. “He’s not even my child!” He would growl, “He’s just a bastard kid from an affair you had!” and that was true as well. My mother had a rich history of sleeping around and everyone knew it, especially my father. Tommy was the result of her last fling and my dad never let anyone forget that fact.  We all tried our best to stick up for Tommy. My older brothers and sisters even stepping in front of him before my dad would take a swing. It never worked. It would just make him madder. He’d end up being locked in the basement like some monster child, hidden away so no one could see evidence of his wife’s infidelity.  

I used to be afraid that one day someone would be able to see through all the crap that was my fake life. Happy child coming from happy, fully functional family, not a care in the world and everyone loves everyone else. All it would take is one overheard conversation and that mask would end up shattering into a million pieces.  Those thoughts are what started me on my path to depression and alcohol abuse, way before I even had my first period.  It’s like the weirdest feeling that hits you out of the blue. I can be feeling completely fine and ready to tackle the world when all of the sudden, I get the tiniest little lump in my throat and just one second later, the tears start to spill.

There are so many people I could call if I needed them. My family and friends would be more than willing to help, but yet, I just stare at the phone with a blank expression on my face, hoping that this will pass, as it usually does.

Whenever this happens, I end up crying myself to sleep and waking up with the worst headache in the world. People laugh at me when I walk into the room with my red eyes and my aspirin, because they think I just partied too hard and had too much fun. They don’t realize that all night long I’ve had this internal struggle to not just go into my medicine cabinet, find my prescription sleeping pills and call it a day.

People think suicide is an ultimate act of selfishness and cowardice and you know what? They’re probably right. But it’s the suicidal thoughts; those things are what separate the cowards from the strong. It’s one thing to act on them and another to will them away night after night. Not that I’m always suicidal or anything, in fact I rarely get to that point. Lately though, it’s been a rough patch of sad thoughts.

I usually just smile along when they joke about hangovers and how I should just cut my wild ways in half. Funny how they don’t understand the accomplishment I feel just by opening my eyes and allowing myself to start another day.

Isn’t it funny how the people who supposedly love you the most are also the ones who are usually completely clueless?
 Sorry I keep going off track. Lately I’m having a hard time focusing, this is the only place in the house I feel safe anymore which is kind of weird since it was my brother’s prison before he killed himself… 

“Crap.”  

“What?”  

I looked over at Kevin, who was once again over by the door and trying to pry it open. “Tommy killed himself.” I said as I held the journal in my hand.  

“Yeah, I know.” He said as he turned his attention back to what he was doing.  

“What do you mean you know?”  

“I..” He stopped when he heard footsteps coming down the steps. “Shit…hide that journal.” He grabbed the piece of wood we had pulled up and held it behind his back as he sat down beside me. I sat on the journal and the hole, which was highly unpleasant but luckily because I have such a massive ass, I was able to hide the evidence.  

“Don’t do anything stupid Kevin.” I urged, afraid he’d go all Superman and think he was indestructible. The last thing I needed on my conscience was a dead or hurt Kevin. It was bad enough I had no idea what was going on with AJ and Howie. They could be dead for all I know. Oh my God, how could I let myself get so entranced in a stupid journal when the fate of everyone I loved was in danger? What is wrong with me? The footsteps grew closer and as they did, my heart fell into my stomach. We were trapped like mice in this small room where these people could do anything they wanted to us. Suddenly I wanted Superman Kevin to come out. Hell, maybe I’d be BatNick. I searched the room for something I could grab and use as a weapon just as the doorknob jiggled.  

“Kevin, Nick are you in there?”   

We both looked at each other before Kevin finally answered, relief washing over his face, “Howie, is that you?” 

“Yeah, are you guys alright?”  

Kevin jumped up and ran to the door, “We’re fine but we’re locked in. Can you get us out of here?”  

“I’m looking for something to use to get this padlock off the door, hang on I’ll be right back.”  

“Is AJ okay?”  

“Yeah, he’s upstairs making sure they don’t come back.”

 “He’s up there because he’s a chicken shit.” I added, yes despite the situation, I still had to make fun of AJ. I was now standing beside Kevin with Belle’s journal in my hand. Howie returned within a few minutes and began to bang on the door.

“Guys I almost have it.” He said right as we heard the lock fall from its spot holding us hostage. When the door opened I ran and hugged my D.  

“Are you alright?” He asked after pulling away. 

“Yup, we’re fine but we were pretty sure we were never going to get out of there though, thanks.” Kevin answered as he hugged Howie, the real Superman I guess, just a shorter version.  

“What happened exactly?” I asked as we hurriedly made our way up the steps and out of the basement.  

“Not sure, we heard them come in and so we hid under the beds.”  

AJ jumped when we opened the door to the basement and made our way up into the kitchen, “I’m glad to see you guys, we were worried something might have happened to you both.” He said as he went over and hugged Kevin. Nice, he totally bypassed me and went for Kevin instead.  

“We were thinking the same thing about you guys.” Kevin was quick to say as he looked both Howie and AJ up and down, making sure they weren’t hurt in any way. That was such a typical Kevin move.  

“The place is a mess Kev; they tore the hell out of it.” AJ pointed over towards the living room where we could see one of the lamps laying broken on its side in the hallway.  

“Seems like they don’t even care anymore because clearly they have to know we figured out it’s them again, I mean…right?” I asked kind of perplexed that police officers would be so sloppy in covering up their tracks.

“They must really be eager to find whatever it is they’re looking for…although I have a feeling Kevin might know what that is.”  All three of us looked at Kevin but only my gaze was accusatory.

The other two, still having no clue what I was talking about, looked more confused. “Why would Kevin know what’s going on?” 

“He seems to know things.” I answered AJ as vaguely as possible.  

“Has he been hit in the head again?”  

“No, I haven’t been hit in the head again. Tell us what you know Kevin.” Now I was insistent. He knew about Belle and he knew about Tommy but yet he didn’t feel the need to share that information with me? I felt betrayed and angry. Was this all some kind of game for him?  

Kevin let out a sigh before moving into the living room. We all followed him and watched as he pushed through the clutter and sat down on the couch, “Okay fine, I’ll tell you what I know.”  

“Wow, Nick was right? You do know something you aren’t telling us?” AJ asked as he took a seat next to Howie on the coffee table. I decided it was best to stand. I had a feeling I’d need to pace to keep my temper under control.  

Kevin nodded at AJ as he continued, “This house has a rich history. Lot’s of horrible things have happened here concerning this family.”  

“Yeah, we kind of gathered that already.” Howie said rather smugly, hooray to sarcastic D! 

“Belle’s youngest brother Tommy committed suicide in this house. Right in the room we were stuck in.” He said to me, which I guess I would have let out a horrifying gasp if I hadn’t just read that myself. So far he wasn’t telling me anything I didn’t already know.  

“Yeah, that’s what she said in her journal.”  

“It was rumored that it was because the dad abused Tommy.” 

“She mentioned that too although, to me, it didn’t sound much like a rumor but more like a fact.” 

Kevin nodded, “Shortly after Tommy killed himself things started to go downhill for the family.” 

“Like what?”  

“All the investments the father made turned sour and he ended up losing almost everything.” 

“Good, he deserved it.” 

“He started to take out all his frustrations on his family…” 

“How so?” AJ asked. I felt like I was being told a bedtime story that was about to take a scary turn.  

“He ended up going insane and killing some of them.” 

“Holy shit.” 

“It’s said that their spirits haunt this house.” 

“Are you fucking kidding me?” AJ stood up and I swear was ready to bolt for the door. 

“Relax AJ, it’s just a rumor. There are no ghosts here.” Kevin shook his head. 

“I don’t know man….something shut the lights off on me and Carter when we were downstairs and how do you explain the knife in the monkey.” 

“It was a bear AJ.” 

“Bear, monkey whatever the hell it was.” 

“It’s not true.” Kevin insisted.  

“Why on earth would you buy a place with such a dark history Kevin?” Howie asked, trying to ignore the whole ghost thing as best as he could. 

“Because it was dirt cheap. No one wants a haunted house Howie and besides, I was going to take it and turn it into a shelter for runaways or something like that. You know take something bad and make it into a good thing.” 

“Oh yeah, I’m sure nothing says I love you to a runaway like a ghost shelter.”  

“Shut up AJ.”

I stood there, silently taking all of this in and wondering if the ghost of Belle was watching us right now. Suddenly all of those things I had read from her other journal made me so sad. How she should have left but chose not to. Maybe if she had left, she would still be alive.

“When did he kill everyone?” I asked. My voice kind of cracked which surprised me a little. 

“They were grown by then. He killed his wife first and then two of the kids.” 

“Did he kill himself after that?” 

“No.” 

“So, he’s still alive then?”  

Kevin shrugged, “I’m not sure.” 

“Oh my God…holy ape shit!”  

“What AJ?” 

“What if he’s the one that’s been breaking in? Maybe he knows that his kid kept a journal of what happened and now he wants it before someone else can get their hands on it!”  

AJ made total sense, he could have easily hired someone to get the journals or rummage through Kevin’s place to look for evidence.

“When he heard someone bought this place he probably panicked!” I said in a much louder voice than I had planned. The three of them jumped when I spoke. I looked down at the journal that was in my hands, “I need to finish reading this thing!” I said, knowing now more than ever how important its contents would be. “If there is proof of her father killing her, than I need to find it in here.” 

“Her father didn’t kill her Nick.” Kevin said as he rubbed at his temples. 

“What do you mean? You just said…” 

“I know what I said, he killed his wife and two of his kids but Belle wasn’t one of them.” 

“Are you sure?” 

Kevin nodded, “Yes, I’m positive.” 

“How do you know?” 

“Because she’s the one that sold me the house.” Before I could say anything else he continued, “Nicky, Belle is alive.”                       

 

Chapter 23 by Mare
Author's Notes:

Here is the next chapter. I did post it yesterday under the name of Summer at Elk Wood Pines lol but just in case you missed it, here it is. Once again I apologize for my horrendous lack of updates.

23   

“She’s alive?” I asked the question the same way a child might ask the first time they are told there is no Santa. In my mind she had been dead this entire time. She was the ghost who haunted the walls and floors of this house. Long before Kevin even mentioned the rumors of it being haunted, I knew she was there. I had felt her there, but now it turns out that I had been wrong all along.

 

Kevin nodded at me, “She’s very much alive and well and keeps to herself. She lives about ten miles south of here in a small log cabin.”

 

“Why didn’t you say anything before now?”

 

Kevin rubbed his tired eyes before answering. “I’m not sure she wants many people to know she’s still around. She’s as close as you can come to being a hermit I think.”

 

“How did you find her then?” Howie asked, sitting on the edge of the couch and cracking his neck.

 

“Through an agent.”

 

“Why aren’t we talking to her about any of this?” I was angry, I’ll admit it. We could have avoided this mess if we had just gone directly to Belle when all these things started happening.

 

“Because I wanted to leave her out of this, besides I wasn’t entirely sure if she had anything to do with this.”

 

“How could she not have?”

 

“The break in could have been anyone looking for anything Nick and even still, we’re not sure what these people even want. It might not have anything to do with Belle and that journal.”

 

“Oh come on Kevin, you don’t actually believe that, do you?”

 

“Frankly, I don’t even know what the hell to believe anymore.”

 

I let out an aggravated grunt. “I think we should call her.”

 

“You do? And what would you say exactly Nick?” Now it was Kevin’s turn to stare at me with a look of disbelief. “Oh, that’s right…it’s not you who would talk to her, it would be me, right? Because you talk about confrontation but when push comes to shove, you get all shy and quiet and then I have to handle it all.”

 

Where was this coming from? The way he said it, made it sound as if it was something that has bothered him for a gazillion years. Suddenly I felt betrayed. “You know what, never mind. It was a dumb idea…kind of like coming here and bonding with you.” Why is it my heart always says one thing but my mouth says another.

 

Kevin shook his head at me but then he softened, “Sorry, I’m just a little frustrated. I mean I was just locked in the basement of my own house.”

 

“I was too, and it isn’t even my house.”

 

That made him laugh, so he came over and slapped my back. “You’re right. We should probably talk to her, but I want to be able to go to her with something solid so I suggest you take some time to really bond with that journal and let us know if you find anything interesting.”

 

“What are you guys going to do?”

 

“We’re going to go through this place with a fine tooth comb to see if anything was taken.”

 

“Once again I have to ask why is it that Carter gets to sit on his lazy ass and read why we do all the manual labor.”

 

“Because this is Nick’s thing AJ.” Kevin winked and nodded at me. He used to do that all the time when I was a kid. After he would yell at me or insult me or pick me up and move me out of the way, he always countered with a wink and a nod to say he was sorry for being a jerk ass. It’s funny how it still worked on me even now.

 

“Well since this is Nick’s thing,” He said using air quotes, “I say we leave him to clean up this entire mess!”

 

“AJ, what’s your problem?”

 

“My problem? Since we’ve been here nothing has gone right. We have been in jeopardy more times than I can count. I don’t enjoy peril Nick. It doesn’t match my nail polish.”

 

As much as I wanted to call him a retard and chuck something at his head, he was right. Since I had been here I have managed to put everyone’s lives in danger, although I’m not really sure how it’s my fault. It’s not like it’s my house or anything. “How is this my fault?”

 

“No one said it’s your fault Nicky. I think everyone needs to calm down for a minute. Clearly this is starting to get to all of us and I’ve only been here for a day or so.”

 

Once again I have to say poor Howie. He really is trying his best to understand what the heck is going on but I can tell he wants to book it out of here so bad that it’s not even funny. I felt my grip on Belle’s journal tighten. I was holding her hand and she was waiting patiently for me to walk her over to the park and play with her again. Yeah, I’m all about metaphors.

 

“I’m going to go read some more of this.” I just randomly stated, making sure not to look at AJ when I said it because I’m sure he would shake his head and possibly give me the finger. Not that I would care about any of that.

 

“Go read buddy…let us know the minute you find something interesting.” Kevin winked at me once more before turning to the other guys and giving them his plan of action.

 

I walked up the stairs and into her room. I figured if I was going to unlock all the mysteries there were to this girl, I might as well do it in the most sacred of places. The guys voices all started to blend into a mixed jumble by the time I got to the top of the steps. I vaguely heard Kevin barking orders at AJ before deciding to close the door.

 

“Alright Belle, what more do you have to tell me?” This time I felt a little dumb asking the question to the room, mainly because I knew she wasn’t there to answer. Knowing that she was alive and well and down the street almost made my cheeks flush with embarrassment. Is it wrong of me to be disappointed that she was alive? I mean that has to sound so wrong. I am happy she’s okay but I just thought she was a ghost, you know?

 

Once I got over it, I sat down on her bed, coughing slightly at the dust that escaped from the blanket. Not sure why, but I decided to lie down before opening the journal up. Maybe I just needed calm before a storm.

 

 Life is so hard now. I just can’t handle it anymore. Ever since Tommy, all I ever want to do is sleep. My agent keeps calling about different jobs and of course my father keeps getting on my case to take them. He pretends to care about what happened to my brother, but I know he doesn’t. At the funeral, he collapsed beside the coffin. He had to be helped to his feet as he cried Tommy’s name over and over again. It made me sick! He should be the actor in this family, not me. Although, he was probably sad because now that Tommy was gone, he lost his punching bag.  I hate my father. Up until this very moment, I don’t think I’ve ever allowed myself to verbalize that. I just said it out loud though, just as I was writing it down on paper. I hate my father. There, now I’ve said it twice and both times it felt natural as if it was always something that needed to be said.  Part of me wants to call the police and let them know all the things he’s done to Tommy. I might even spit on him as they take him away. I could never do that though, I’m just not strong enough. When push comes to shove I’m all talk. I wish I had the guts to be able to do that. Maybe if I did, Tommy would still be around. Maybe I wouldn’t be hugging his bear against my chest and crying my eyes out.  

I had to stop because once again, the words she used hit too close to home. Wasn’t I just thinking about that? Isn’t that how my father made me feel? How many times I wish I had stood up to that man when he did or said something horrible to one of us, particularly my sisters. I never had the courage. I was always afraid, not only of my father but life in general. I never realized that until now. My time here with Kevin and AJ, and especially Belle, made me see with different eyes, how much of a coward I actually am when it comes to certain things.

 

I’m not sure how I would be able to handle it if one of my siblings ever killed themselves. I have been afraid of that on more than on occasion. BJ has a habit of scaring the shit out of me like that from time to time. Calling me up and talking about how hopeless she feels and how much better the world would be without her in it to mess things up. It seemed like she would always do it when I was too far away to do anything about it. Funny that once she even did it one of the many times I was planning my own death. I think we’ve already established how macabre I could actually be. On a good day I could put the most Emo person to shame.

 

I shook the thought off of me and went back to Belle in her time of grief.

 

 Sleeping is so hard for me now because whenever I close my eyes I see Tommy standing there. He asks me why I didn’t help him when he needed me the most. I know this is part two of my life now. The better part is over. Not that part one was a bowl of cherries or anything but at least I was able to pretend that everything was okay. I don’t see how I can do that anymore so I’m not even going to try.  Wow I was so young when I wrote all that. It’s so weird picking this thing up and reading it after all these years… 

The writing for the last part looked very different. Where previously everything was written in big bubbly type letters, this was cursive and very neat.

 I can’t believe the hell my family went through during that time. After Tommy everything just stopped. My mother basically turned into a zombie and stopped caring about us all. I became paranoid, always afraid to close my eyes because I felt in my heart, that Tommy was haunting not only me but my entire family. Insomnia set in and I was only able to sleep with the aide of prescription tranquilizers.  

Suddenly Belle had aged. I could see her sitting there now, all grown up and rereading the things she had written as a little girl. She probably had a tissue in her hand and cried thinking back on some of those hard times.

 

 What was worse I had begun to grow up. My innocent look which had garnered me most of my work was all but gone. I had grown the slightest little breasts and that was enough for the executives at the network to rethink giving us another year on air. I’m sure all of the controversy surrounding my family didn’t help that plight either. Like I said it was harder to mask our dysfunction after Tommy died. The papers found out about my little brother’s untimely death and even though the paparazzi weren’t as ruthless as they are now, they still didn’t give us any privacy. They were constantly knocking on our door and calling our house asking questions about it. That’s the first time my mother brought up the idea of moving away.  My father was very opposed to the idea of moving. See, he saw this place as a trophy, as something that he worked long and hard for, although it was me that actually paid the mortgage. He smacked my mother across the face so hard the night she suggested we move that she needed stitches across her eye.  That’s when things really started getting out of control.  My older brothers and sisters all smartened up and got themselves out of there, leaving me behind. I still resent them for it, even after all these years. Even after what happened, part of me still gets mad. But, we’ll get to that later. I’m not really anxious to get to that part of the story, even though it’s a very important part that needs to be said in order for me to purge all of this.  When it was just my mom, dad and me, things were at their worst. I would live in fear that one night my father would just come into my room and kill me, so I put a knife in Tommy’s old teddy bear and slept with him every night. If he tried to come into my room to kill me or even worse, I’d be ready for him.  The other thing I did was make sure I had a place to hide. There was a secret room in my brother’s closet. It was sealed long before he was ever born but one day while we were playing around; we accidentally knocked one of the boards away and found the hidden staircase. We made sure we didn’t tell anyone about it. It was our secret hangout. A place where we could go if we needed to and it became my retreat. Late at night when I was so nervous I could barely control my jitters, I would find myself up there. I pulled an old cot from the attic into that room and used one of Tommy’s old blankets and there I would sleep. I lived my life somewhere between being Anne Frank and a vagrant living on a freight train. Sometimes days would go by before I left that room and not once did anyone even come looking for me. I barely showered during those times and ate pills as if they were candy.  I lived like that for about three years before things got even worse. 

I had to take a break again. This was all getting to be too much. I felt so bad for this girl. A tear began to trickle down my cheek. I was actually crying, crying for someone I didn’t even know. I’m not sure if I’ve ever shown this much compassion for members of my own family.

 

 You hear about horrible things happening to other families, but you never think for a second that something like that could happen to yours. Tommy’s death was a deal breaker for me. I thought I knew what grief was all about, but it turns out when it came to grief I ended up being just an amateur. The lord had bigger plans for me and they happened all in one night.  

The rest of what I read was almost unbelievable. If I didn’t know it was someone’s journal I would have certainly mistaken it for a Stephen King or Dean Koontz book. I actually felt chills going up and down my arms as she recounted in detail what happened to her siblings.

 

Page after page of what unfolded that night just had me at the edge of my seat. At one point I managed to sit up, I don’t even recall doing so. That’s how in to I was.

 

I understood now, all of it. Everything that happened, it all made sense to me.

 

Just as I was finishing up the last page and closing the book I heard Belle’s door open. Kevin always had a great sense of timing.

 

“You know where it is, don’t you?” I turned to look at the door when it registered that it wasn’t Kevin’s voice I was hearing. In fact it wasn’t AJ’s or Howie’s either. All that mattered was this person was holding a gun and a badge, but I finally knew who he was and why he cared so much.

                    

 

Chapter 24 by Mare
Author's Notes:

I am back with the second to last chapter of this story. I want to thank some of the AC forum guys for pushing me to get this one out! Thanks also to those of you who haven't given up on me or this story! I've said it before and i'll say it again! you all Rock!!

24  

I looked at him and surprisingly didn’t feel scared. Maybe because I was an old pro at peril now. It might not have matched AJ’s nail polish but it seemed to match me brilliantly. Besides, now knowing the entire story, I knew there was really nothing to fear anymore.

 

“Well? Where is it?” He asked again when I managed to avoid the question entirely the first go round.

 

“Where is what?” I asked very calmly. I could tell he wasn’t expecting that kind of reaction. He seemed disappointed that I didn’t get on my hands and knees and beg for my life.

 

“Don’t play dumb with me kid. You know exactly what I’m talking about.”

 

“You can put the gun away Tommy, there’s no reason to aim it at me.”

 

“Who the hell do you think you are? This isn’t some cop show where you can just tell me to do something and I’ll do it. My patience is running thin. Tell me what I need to know or I’ll not only shoot you but I’ll shoot your friends too.”

 

Right, I had forgotten about them. “Where are they?”

 

“Downstairs with my partner.”

 

“Why did you drag her in on this Tommy?”

 

“Don’t call me that!” He was getting really mad at me now and I was starting to think that maybe he had a point. Maybe I was seeing this as nothing more than a cop drama.

 

“Why? That is your name, isn’t it? I mean maybe everyone else knows you as Parker Daniels but your real name is Tommy, right?”

 

 Writing this out is so painful but then again I knew it would be. How could something like this be easy? Well… I started so I might as well finish, just get everything out in the open Belle and stop procrastinating. Like I said before, after my brother died I took to my hiding places for comfort. I would occasionally hear my father yelling for me in a drunken stupor. Calling me all kinds of horrible names and slamming things against the wall. I never came out when this would happen. I would bury my head in my pillow and try my best to muffle my cries of desperation. This was a terrible time in my life. I felt so isolated and alone.  When he would finally pass out, I’d make my escape from the house calling on my friends to take me in from time to time. I only had two good friends that didn’t use me for my fame, Sarah and my boyfriend Matty. They were my pillars of strength back then and I know without them I wouldn’t be here telling this story. Sarah moved away a year after my brother’s death but Matt still lived pretty close. It was his door I always ended up knocking on at ungodly times of the night.  I would lay down in the comfort of my boyfriend’s strong arms and feel an incredible sense of protection. With him I was safe and sound. Nothing could harm me, not even my dad. We would talk about running away together, never looking back, starting over. It was one of those nights that my son Tommy was conceived…  

“Where is it?” He moved closer to me and this time put the point of his gun right on my chest. “Tell me now or I’ll shoot you in the leg.”

 

“That’s my chest. My leg is down there.” I pointed. I know it was dumb of me to be a smartass but I was this close from turning into the Rambo version of Gizmo. You can only victimize Nick Carter for so long before he stopped caring. Once that happened I think my history shows how reckless and stupid I could be.

 

He hit me in the chest with the gun. It hurt as much as you think it did too. “Shit! Why did you do that?” I asked as I grabbed at my chest and went to the floor.

 

“It’s been a very long night. I haven’t gotten much sleep; I’m tired, crabby and just want this whole thing to be over with. Now for the last time…tell me where it is.”

 

I coughed, damn it! I was in pain, but despite that I managed to stand myself up. Yes, this further agitated the police officer who shook his head and bit at his bottom lip in frustration as if he was holding back a slew of four letter words to fling at me. Better that than a bullet.

 

“You know I have heard a lot about you Nick Carter, how you are the typical pretty boy, dumb and blonde, clueless in everyway. I really thought that was an exaggeration…but I’m starting to think maybe not.”

 

“I’m flattered that you did your research on me.”

 

“I had no choice. When I heard a damn celebrity was buying this house I had to find out who it was and all the articles about your band always centered on you.”

 

“Yeah, I’m the popular one with the ladies.”

 

“And the dumb one.”

 

“I’m not dumb.”

 

“If you’re not dumb then why aren’t you listening to me? Don’t you care about your life or the life of your friends?”

 

“Of course I do but I also know that you are a good guy and good guys don’t just randomly shoot people.”

 When I got official word of my pregnancy I was terrified. I was so young. I had no idea what to do. I knew once the media saw my growing belly it would all be over. Any chance I had of making a comeback would be gone. Who wanted a teenaged mommy as a role model for their network? This baby was going to be born though. There was no way I was going to give it up or do anything else for that matter. He was made out of love and when I told Matt about it, he agreed. I had prepared myself for the worst. Part of me thought he would walk out of my life and never look back. I wouldn’t blame him, but instead, he took me into his big arms and hugged me. “Everything will work out in the end honey, it always does.” He said. I believed him. I’m such an idiot! 

He finally seemed to relax a little and for the first time since he entered the room he put the gun down at his side. “I understand why you’re here Tommy, I really do.” I said, slowly inching my way towards Belle’s bed to sit down.

 

“I haven’t gone by Tommy for a long time.”

 

“I figured.”

 

“Everyone knows me as Parker Daniels now.”

 

“I know.”

 

“I couldn’t be associated with her…no one would have hired me.”

 

I nodded, “I know.”

 We decided to tell my parents about the baby and then I’d move out of the house and into a small apartment with Matty. Money was tight for him but luckily I had some of my own in savings. Money that I hoped was still there. Since I wasn’t really in charge of my finances I wasn’t quite sure if my dad had managed to spend all of my hard earned money or not but I was pleasantly surprised to see I still had a few thousand dollars in the bank. Not much but enough. I knew my mother would be happy for us, well after she got over the fact that I was so young and had gotten myself pregnant. Okay, maybe happy is the wrong word to use. Why don’t we just go with understanding? It wasn’t her I was afraid of, it was my dad.  Matt thought we should just go without saying anything to anyone but I loved my mother too much to do that so we went to the house to break the news to my parents. I didn’t realize that my sister and brother were already there. My sister Beth was in the living room arguing with my father when we walked in the door, while my brother Ben paced back and forth.  We should have just turned around and left, but we didn’t... 

“She was never the same after it happened. I’m only trying to protect her.”

 

I nodded at him. The sad look in his eyes said so much more. In them I was able to see everything he must have gone through as a kid. “Does your partner know the whole story?” I asked him. By now the gun was put away and was leaning against his mother’s old dresser.

 

He nodded at me, “Yeah, she knows. She’s actually my wife.”

 

I handed him his mother’s journal, “This belongs to your mom.” I said as he took it from me and gave me the smallest of smiles.

 

“Thanks.”

 I’m not sure what they were even yelling and screaming at each other for. It was nasty, that’s all I recall. You know when something really bad happens you always hear that to the victim it can sometimes feel like the world is going in slow motion. That’s exactly right. The next set of events probably all happened within minutes of one another but to me they lingered on for hours, days and to a certain extent, even now. We didn’t have a chance to say anything. I didn’t get to make my big speech that I had practiced over and over again in the car. We walked in, heard the yelling, saw the pacing and the next thing you know, my sister Beth who I shared my deepest darkest secrets with, was on the floor covered in blood.  The sound of my brother screaming triggered the next shot. At the time, I had no idea it was a gun. It sounded more like someone had exploded fireworks in the living room. Once when we were really little, Tommy and I almost set off an M-80 in the kitchen. Our housekeeper saw it in my brother’s hand, grabbed it and went running for the backyard as fast as she could. She had thrown it out there just as it exploded. That’s what it sounded like, my childhood exploding in my face… 

“I’m sorry I read it. I was just intrigued with her story and then you broke in and it made me want to fish for answers.”

 

“She still writes in a journal, every single day.”  He said, ignoring my apology and holding on to his mother’s journal as if it was his lifeline. I had done the same thing earlier.

 

“Journaling is supposed to help heal your soul. At least that’s what I hear.” Now I was babbling. This all felt so surreal.

 Before I could scream or utter one word, my boyfriend grabbed me and pushed me out of the way. It seemed that my father after shooting his daughter and son, decided to turn his attention to us. He shot at Matt and all I could do was cover my ears and scream. I closed my eyes because I couldn’t bear to see what was to come. I heard wrestling. I knew they were down on the ground the both of them and in my panic I briefly thought about calling the police. I’m sure someone else would have by now after hearing all the gunshots fired.  That’s when I heard another one and I knew… 

“Parker, what’s taking you so long up there?” The sound of Linda’s voice made us both jump.

 

“Everything is okay, we’ll be right down.” He called to her from the top of the steps.

 

“You sure?”

 

He looked over at me as if to confirm his answer, “Yeah.”

 They also say at moments of great distress, things become hazy for you and in the most extreme cases, you lose time. I’m not sure when I grabbed the gun. Maybe during the struggle when I heard Matt yell out in urgent need, or maybe it just kind of ended up beside me. All I know is when I heard the pop of the gun, the blast sent me backwards. I landed against the wall as my father stood there looking at me with a shocked expression on his face, his hands covering the wound I had just made in his stomach.  “Why?” He asked as he fell to the floor.  I had no answer then and I still have no answer now. It just kind of happened… 

“He would have killer her.” Parker said as if reading my thoughts.

 

“She made it seem like that was the case.” I answered.

 The next sound I heard was my own screaming as Matt grabbed me and lead me towards the stairs. There was the sound of police sirens coming towards the house but all I could focus on was my father’s pained expression as he lay on the floor.  “Is that secret room still open Belle?” He asked me as he ran up the stairs so quickly I thought he was going to pull my arm out of its socket.  “Yes.” I whispered.  At this point we had passed my parent’s room as we headed for my brother’s and I saw a bloody handprint on the outside of it. I knew my mother was in there probably on the bed in a pool of her own blood. “How could he do this?” I remember thinking although I don’t think I said it out loud.  

“How does somebody get over watching their family die like that?”

 

“They don’t.” Parker aka Tommy answered.

 We made it into the room and closed the wall just as the police entered the house. The two of us huddled together in a ball afraid to make a sound. Once again I felt like Anne Frank only this time I was a murderer. I should have turned myself in. I should have stayed downstairs and explained what happened. I’m sure my actions would have been declared self defense, but we didn’t think about it. We just ran.  I can’t even tell you how long we stayed up in that room. The police were in my house for hours and in Tommy’s room for a good portion of that time. They finally left at around midnight. All of the bodies were gone and white tape had replaced them. Just as I had figured, there was also a body outline on my parent’s bed. That’s when I lost it. I fell to my knees and sobbed… 

“Why didn’t she ever turn herself in?”

 

Parker looked over at me as he tapped the journal, “She wanted to, many times but I wouldn’t let her.”

 

“She murdered someone.”

 

“And he murdered everyone she ever loved!”

 Tommy in his saddest moments and believe me, there were plenty, would always talk about our father entering rehab and one of those twelve step programs. You know the ones where they feed you donuts and give you sobriety chips after finishing each step. He said that maybe that’s what our father needed. After he finished those twelve steps he would be a good man. It was after he said things like that; he would smile and say, “Who am I kidding? That would take a thirteenth step. I don’t believe learning to be a good man is one of the twelve.” 

“You want the gun, don’t you? It’s not just about the journal. You need the gun.”

 

“Yes, I need the gun Nick. I can’t let it fall into the wrong hands and have my mother go to jail after all these years. She wouldn’t be able to deal with it.”

 

“You were afraid Kevin would find the gun while doing renovations.”

 

“Yes.”

 

“That’s why you broke in.”

 

“Yes. I need this story to have a happy ending. My family has been through enough.”

 

I nodded at him and I totally understood what he meant.

 

“Then, let’s go get it.” I said as I stood up and led him to his namesake’s room.

 That’s why when we were trying to figure out where to hide the gun, I knew instantly where it should go. I walked into Tommy’s room and went back up the secret staircase, stopping at the thirteenth step, where I buried the gun forever…                  

Chapter 25 by Mare

25  

 

The two of us kind of stood there in silence before opening up that thirteenth step and removing the gun from its long resting place. It was wrapped in a handkerchief monogrammed with her father’s initials on it.  Parker held onto the gun for a few seconds before looking over at me, “Let’s go downstairs.” He said. His voice was beginning to crack.  I nodded at him and followed him back down to the living room where we had kept everyone waiting for a very long time. A look of relief washed over Kevin’s face as I came into view. They were probably all worried that something had happened to me and the way things had been going for the last week or so, that worry was more than justified.

 

“Where have you been?” Linda asked. I didn’t notice until just then, that my friends were in handcuffs all sitting on the sofa. “I was starting to get worried.”

 

“You have what you want, let them go.” I said.

 

“Are you okay?” Kevin whispered to me.

 

“I’m fine. I didn’t know they had you guys tied up down here.” I answered, growing angry that Parker neglected to tell me about that.

 

Linda approached her husband and gently took the gun from him as if it were a newborn kitten, “So, this is it?”

 

He nodded in reply as she continued to look at the weapon like she had never seen one before which was curious behavior for someone who carries one for a living. “All this trouble for this thing, I almost expected it to be made of 14 Karat gold or something.” She smiled as she held it up to the light for a better look.

 

“Now we have it, nothing can happen to her anymore.” He said as he took the gun from his wife and wrapped it back in its familiar blanket.

 

“So, now that you have what you want, can you let them go? If you throw me the keys I’ll do it myself so you can get out of here.” I asked, hopeful that this time I wouldn’t be ignored.

 

I glanced over at Howie, AJ and Kevin. They all looked worried and of course they would be. They had no idea what was going on. “Its okay guys…” I tried to reassure them, “This is Bella’s son. They don’t mean any of us harm.”

 

“If that’s true, then why are we still handcuffed?” AJ had a point.

 

“Parker…” I said as he and his wife continued to look at the gun almost in a trance. “If you give me the keys I can unlock the cuffs.”

 

He finally took his eyes off of the gun and placed them firmly on me. “I’m sorry, but I can’t do that.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“You know too much. You’ve read and seen too much.” Now Linda had her gun aimed at me. This was not good…not good at all.

 

“I told you man…I get it! Alright? If I was you and I was trying to protect my family, I would have done the same thing.”

 

“It’s easy to say that now Nick, but how do I know the second we leave, you don’t pick up the phone and call the police?”

 

“Dude, you ARE the police!”

 

He shook his head and this time he held up his gun at me too. Wow I was being held at gunpoint from the front and the back. Does that make one doubly likely to die? Or maybe I could actually duck and they’d hit each other. Her, I knew nothing about but I had faith in him. I didn’t think he had it in him to kill an innocent man, make it four innocent men, in cold blood.

 

“Please, just let us go, we won’t say anything.” Kevin said in his sickly calming voice. Everyone who knows Kevin knows it’s an act and beneath that calm voice lays the man who will beat the holy crap out of you once he tricks you into thinking he’s perfectly fine with what’s going on at the moment. Believe me; I have been tricked by that voice many times.

 

Parker turned the gun on Kevin as he faced him. “We don’t even know what you’re talking about. Only Nick does.”

 

Uh…I don’t see how that’s going to help my cause, but…okay.

 

“And I know he won’t say anything. You have what you came for supposedly, so take it and leave. We’ll act like none of this ever happened.”

 

“You all seem like really nice guys and I’m so sorry you got stuck in the middle of my family’s mess, but it’s not that simple Kevin.”

 

“So, you just plan on becoming a cold blooded murderer then? I guess the apple really doesn’t fall that far from the tree.” Yup, once again the words came out of my mouth before my brain had time to shut me the hell up.

 

“Nicky enough… He didn’t mean that.” Howie said trying to calm our now agitated captor.

 

“Yes I did.”

 

“And you said you understood, I knew you were full of shit!” Once again the gun was turned on me. I am sure Kevin was happy about that. At least he didn’t have it wiggling in his face anymore.

 

“I do understand.” I’m not sure where this speech was coming from. Maybe I had watched a little too much TV, but whatever the case I wasn’t stopping.

 

“Then why would you call my mom a cold blooded killer? You said you would have done the same thing.”

 

“Who said anything about your mom being a cold blooded killer? I was talking about your grandfather. Isn’t that what he did? He shot his own children and wife down for no apparent reason. Maybe out of fear or anger, who knows? To this day isn’t that one of the things that haunts your mother? And now you plan on doing the same exact thing. That’s the tree I’m talking about, your grandfather, not your mom.”

 

I could tell he was marinating in the words I had just said. His inner struggle was making its way to his face. If he was alone, it would have been a perfect opportunity to jump him since his mind seemed to be a million miles away, but unfortunately he wasn’t alone. “Parker, we have to figure out what to do. The longer we wait the worse it will be.” Linda said, never putting down the gun she had aimed at me.

 

He glanced over at her as if he was leaving our fates in her hands. I know it sounds weird and maybe a little harsh but for a split second I pictured Leighanne. Brian would glance over at her like that all the time when he was left with a tough decision having to do with us all. Thank God this isn’t her otherwise we’d be dead…at least I would be. Wow, it’s funny what you think about in times of crisis.

 

“Let us go.” I decided to say something before the momentum I had built up was lost. “Don’t do something you know you’re going to regret for the rest of your life.”

 

“I need something…some kind of reassurance.” Parker or Tommy said. It’s funny but looking at this man was kind of like looking at a set of twins. It was so easy to tell when he was Parker the policeman or Tommy, the kid who just wanted to protect his mother. I was happy to see Tommy shine through again as he placed his hands down at his side and looked over at me.

 

“Okay fine, what do you want?”

 

“I want you to burn the house down.” I admit I wasn’t expecting that.

 

“Come again?” And neither was Kevin.

 

This time Tommy looked over at Kevin and said it again, “I want you to burn this house down to the ground.”

 

“Why? What exactly will that accomplish?” Kevin asked.

 

“Well for one it’ll erase all the evidence that could potentially be found, but most importantly it’ll erase the past.”

 

“So, you think just by burning down this house, your mother will forget everything that’s happened and she’ll be able to move on from this? Dude, if that’s all it took I would have become a pyromaniac a long time ago.” For some reason that made him laugh.

 

“I like you Nick.”

 

“Thanks Parker, I would like you too if your wife wasn’t holding my friends and I at gunpoint.”

 

“You’re not burning down my house.” Kevin said that pretty adamantly as if he weren’t handcuffed to a random couch being held at gunpoint by random rogue cops.

 

“What would your mother want you to do Tommy?” I asked him, trying my best to stay calm in this situation. I have to say I was doing a damn good job since I swear I thought I would have shit my pants ten times over by now. Maybe I should, perhaps that would get them out of here.

 

“I told you not to call me that!”

 

“Sorry.” Oops. “I meant Parker. Would your mom want you to kill us all or have you burn the house down?”

 

“My mother is so far gone now Nick, she probably wouldn’t even care one way or the other.”

 

“Maybe we should go ask her then.”

 

“Nicky, what are you doing?” Howie said very slowly and cautiously.

 

“Yeah, Nick…maybe you should shut up.” AJ finally decided to say something. I was worried Linda had removed his tongue.

 

“No, I think it’s a good idea.” I have to admit all of us looked over at Kevin in shock when he said that. I really thought out of them all, he would be the one to go ballistic. Maybe he does realize that inside I do know what I’m doing. I have a firm grasp on reality and am more than capable of handling all kinds of situations, although if Belle was Looney tunes now, she could very easily tell her son to kill us all. I had more faith in her than that.

 

“My mom would be too overwhelmed by seeing all of you.”

 

“Then just take me.” I volunteered. I can’t believe I just said that.

 

“No, it’s my house so I’ll go.” Kevin was quick to say. I saw that coming from like ten gabillion miles way.

 

“I should go Kevin.”

 

“No, and that’s the end of this discussion.”

 

“You can’t treat me like I’m a child. I need to see this through.”

 

“I know it means a lot to you Nick but this isn’t a game. I’m not letting you leave with someone holding a gun to your head.”

 

“He’s not going to hold a gun to my head.”

 

“Excuse me…” Kevin and I both looked over at Parker.

 

“Shouldn’t I be the one to make that decision, if it’s going to be made at all?”

 

“Parker, we don’t have time for this…” Linda said impatiently waving her gun around as she did. I still wasn’t sure about her. I couldn’t tell if she was a good guy or a bad guy. Maybe she was the one convincing him to do all of this and he was her puppet on a string. “Can’t you see they are just trying to distract you?”

 

“Actually they do this all the time.” Howie responded.

 

“Okay, Linda you’re going to stay here with these guys and Nick and I will take a drive over to see my mother.” Ha! I knew he was going to pick me. Everyone picks me!

 

“I don’t like this.” Kevin grumbled. It’s not like I was a big fan of the idea either but I really think this was the way to do it. Plus I wanted to meet this woman, even if it was against my will.

 

“Once I talk to my mom about things we’ll figure out what to do from there.”

 

“Can’t you just call her? I’m sure she has a phone, right?” Howie asked. It seemed like a logical question. “This way, no one has to go anywhere.”

 

Parker wasn’t listening to Howie at all as he grabbed my arm and ushered me to the front door, “We are leaving…don’t try anything stupid any of you or you won’t be seeing your friend anymore.” He warned but we all knew he was just talk. I was more worried about his wife. Now if any of them pissed her off, I have a feeling there would be hell to pay.

 

Once we were in the car he seemed to calm down some. Maybe he had to put on an act for his wife or maybe with my luck, he was just bipolar. “My mother is my life.” He admitted to me as he handed me the journal to hold onto while he started the car. I guess I could have jumped out and made a run for it, but I didn’t see a reason to. I have a feeling this was just a road to the ending of this story and one thing was for sure, this story needed to end. Too many people have been suffering for far too long.

 

“I know man. I get that, really I do.”

 

“I would never have done anything like this if it wasn’t about her.”

 

“I know.”

 

“I’m not sure why I’m taking you to her, it’s not like I’m going to tell her what I did.”

 

That comment made me breathe a sigh of relief because that was my thought once I volunteered to go. I knew he wouldn’t be telling her exactly how he came across her journal. “So, mom I kind of broke into this house and held the people in it captive…oh this is Nick Carter by the way. He’s a famous Backstreet Boy, yeah he’s one of the people we are holding hostage. We were just coming over here to see if you thought it was a good idea to kill them or do you think it’s a better idea to just burn the house down or I know…we could put them in the house and THEN burn it down!” Yeah, I don’t see that conversation happening.

 

We sat in silence for the rest of the very short drive to his mother’s house. It was a very cute place. A ranch style house set far off from the street behind a few huge trees. I could see myself owning a house like this one some day. She was sitting on the front porch as we pulled up to the door, humming a song while she rocked in her rocking chair.

 

“There she is.” He said, motioning for me to give him the journal. He left the gun in the car. I figured he would do that as well.

 

When she saw her son approaching she stopped humming and smiled but then when she saw me her face went a slight shade of pale.

 

She looked just the way I pictured her to look as a grown woman. Her hair was just the faintest shade of grey which offset her sparkling eyes. She looked like the very same Belle in all the pictures that were strewn around Kevin’s house; the only difference was her age. Her spirit was still there though, I could tell just by looking at her.

 

“Hi mom.” Parker said as he gently reached down to her and grabbed her in a hug. Her gaze never left me as he did that.

 

“Honey, who is this?” She asked finally.

 

“This is Nick Carter mom.”  She stood up, walked over to me and placed her hands on my face in a loving way.

 

“You look so much like my Tommy. I had a brother…he looked…”

 

“I know ma’am. I’ve seen his pictures.”

 

She was looking at me straight in my eyes. Normally I’m very uncomfortable when people do that. I’m always the first one to look away, but not today. I found myself staring right back at her in awe. I can’t explain how connected I felt to this woman. Why she meant so much to me, it was almost supernatural in a sense, even though we were both firmly right here and now.

 

When she placed her arms back down at her sides, Parker handed her the journal, “Mom…it’s all over. Now no one will ever know what happened.”

 

She grabbed it and looked at it in disbelief, “How did you find this?” She asked her son as she sat back down clutching it in her arms the way that I had earlier.

 

“That’s unimportant, all that matters is, your secret will be safe forever, isn’t that right Nick?”

 

I looked over at Parker and nodded but was immediately drawn back to Belle who took my hands in her own, “You were the one that found it, weren’t you?” She asked nodding her head to her journal which she had placed on her lap. I allowed myself to sit in the chair right beside hers as she continued to hold my hand.

 

“Yes, and I hope you don’t mind that I read it. I know it wasn’t mine to read but I had no idea who you were. I thought it was just a random journal.”

 

“I’m glad you did honey. I needed to tell my story to someone it might as well have been you.”

 

“I’m not going to tell anyone what happened…” I started to say, but she stopped me. I think deep down inside she knew.

 

“How about I make us all some iced tea and we can sit and talk about it.” She smiled at her son and then at me. “It’s time to talk about it so I can move on with me life.”

 

“I’d like that very much.” I said to her as Parker made a call to his wife to tell her to let the guys go.

Epilogue by Mare

I’ve made a new friend for life. Who would have guessed this person would be old enough to be my grandmother, but she is. Belle and I talked for about three hours. After she got done telling her son and me exactly what had happened, through tears and a varied mix of emotions, she looked over at me and told me it was time to tell her my story.  

I felt dumb because compared to all she had been through, I felt like I didn’t have much to say that wouldn’t sound ridiculous in comparison, but she said no matter what has happened, it’s best to purge your soul of it. “After all…” She said, “It’s not like we all have a thirteenth step to hide behind.”  

So, I did just that, I purged everything to this woman. I told her all about my family and how hard it has been to grow up in the spotlight. She was able to understand exactly what I went through and when I needed her to, she held my hand. Her son, left halfway through our conversation. He could tell we were more than comfortable in each other’s company.  

I asked her if she regretted what she had done to her father and she told me not a day went by that she didn’t cry about it. If she could undo what she had done, she wouldn’t have ever pulled the trigger. He would have gone to prison for the rest of his life most likely, instead he had become an urban legend. She regretted that most of all.  

She told me I should start writing down my feelings in a journal and then she handed me the one that lay buried for so long. “Use this one, it needs to see better days and most importantly, it needs a happy ending.”

I felt honored that she would give something so personal to me, but at the same time maybe she was just anxious to let it go. I thought about writing in it so many times, but today is the first day I am actually doing it. It’s been a long time.  

When I got back from Belle’s the guys had a billion questions for me but I wanted to keep our conversation just between us, so I didn’t say very much and they didn’t press. Ironically enough Brian showed up to Kevin’s the very next day and didn’t believe a word of any of this. He said we all probably spent our time together coming up with this elaborate story. Still to this day he thinks Belle is a figment of my imagination.  

We never told anyone else what happened at the house. It’s as if we never encountered Parker Daniels or his wife. They made sure our trip to the police station was wiped away as well.  

During dinner that first night Brian arrived, Kevin told us all about wanting to leave the band. He said he had made up his mind awhile ago and not much was going to change it. He made sure he looked over at me when he was done giving his speech and even though it hurt more than anything, I nodded at him. Why would I want him to continue to do something if he wasn’t happy? That would just be very selfish of me.

See? I’m growing up…little by little.  

Oh and Chub Chub is now a permanent fixture in my new house. Although, his name is really Wally, Belle told me I could call it whatever I wanted just as long as I took that stupid knife out of its belly, which I did.  

Well, there ya go. I should stop writing now since it’s my turn to sing. We’re in the process of trying out some new songs for the new record, without Kevin. It feels weird, but he’s only a phone call away and besides, I know where he lives.  

So, life goes on.  

It’s not the best life in the world, but I guess it could be worse.

End Notes:

I just wanted to thank everyone for reading this story and seeing it through to the end. I hope you enjoyed it!

I love you guys!!

~ Mare

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=7935