Camp Lakota 2006 by Poster_Girl
Summary: This is the story of what my summer at camp was like.
Categories: Non-Fiction Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 625 Read: 2204 Published: 09/06/06 Updated: 09/13/06

1. Pre-Production by Poster_Girl

2. Week One by Poster_Girl

Pre-Production by Poster_Girl
Author's Notes:
This is for all of you who I met at camp and for those I left behind.
The staff members who were there from the beginning and survived the entire summer were Cute, Momma Bear, Reading Bobcat (who became Bobcat and finally just Bob), Hillbilly (who was constantly called Hillybilly by campers), Peanut Butter, Flower, Spanky, Rigatoni, Ranger Indy, Fren, Mouth, Starz, Sport, Tie, Steak, Symphony (me), Sassy, Hummingbird, Simone and Tiny T.
Our great add-ins were Scooby, Dora, Grace (who is the best cook ever!), Chill, Rasputin (whom had many different names one of which was my favorite Evil Russian Dude), Emerald, Splash (who later became Splashy) Spiffy (who was first a camper, and whom campers thought was my sister), Snow, Pocahontas and Smiley.
The first two weeks, Pre-Production, was way too long and everyone agreed on that. During that time we learned a lot, became CPR/First Aid (some became Lifeguard) certified, went horseback riding (thanks to Mouth for making me comfortable), did our swim check, went on a shopping trip and argued over whether or not white horses exist (I say they do, Mouth says they don’t.
When we went on the Pool Hike I spent the entire time keeping bugs and other creepy crawlies off of Mouth’s back. Some one threw away the leftovers from their lunch in the unit we were all sleeping in and we got a very furry visitor in the middle of the night.
We got camp cleaned up and ready for Open House. It was hard work but it was fun. For open house we took groups of parents and future campers on tours of camp. In my second (and last) group there were two really young girls and the three year old grabbed my hand and had me go with her when she petted the horse that was being used for demos.
Pre-Production was fun. It was a great learning experience, I made many new friends and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. I love you guys!
Week One by Poster_Girl
Author's Notes:
This is the tale of some of the things that happened during our first week with campers.
Since this was the first week it wasn’t too bad. We only had eight girls. A few of them got homesick but as soon as I gave them Topanga (my teddy bear that came to camp) for the night they were fine.

Three of the girls wet the bed and one of them did it two nights in a row.

The girls all loved horses (they must have seeing as how they were in a horse unit) stating a different horse as their favorite almost every day and arguing over which horse was the ultimate best.

Since I (and most every staff member) am CPR/First Aid certified I was First Aid/Meds counselor. It wasn’t bad, all I had to do was fix any cuts and scrapes the girls may have gotten and make sure that if they had any medication they got it on time.

One day Peanut Butter and I were taking our girls to the Nature Center for a lesson with Bob and we thought we had all of our girls with us. When we were about 100 feet away from the nature Center I counted the girls and realized that we were missing someone. We both knew who it was and I turned to head back to the lodge to retrieve the girl we had forgotten and Sport (our awesomely awesome activities director) was right behind us with the girl.

Some of the girls didn’t want to muck (for those of you who don’t know what it means to ‘muck’, it means you get up close and personal with horse manure) but in order for them to ride they had too.

All in all the first week was fun, the girls were adorable and it was a good learning experience for the coming weeks.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8073