Wake Me Up Inside by Anastacia
Summary:

Much Anticipated Sequel to Bring Me To Life


Collaboration with Shrinkingviolet


Brought back to life with the love of a good woman, Kevin finds himself blissfully married as Howie prepares to travel down the aisle with the woman he adores. But as time passes, colors seem to fade as fate rises up against their blissful existence. Kevin finds himself losing touch with the woman he gave up everything for as the past comes back to haunt him with a new surprise. Howie fights to hold onto the woman who gave him the passion for life as Nick careens out of control. The darkness seems great as the couples beg and plead for the light to wake them up inside.


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group, Howie, Kevin, Nick
Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Domestic Violence, Graphic Sexual Content, Graphic Violence, Sexual Content, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 28237 Read: 9541 Published: 09/21/06 Updated: 03/08/07

1. Family Festivities by Anastacia

2. Chapter 2 - Marital Discord by Anastacia

3. New and Old by Anastacia

4. The Nightmare of Normalcy by Anastacia

5. Plagued by Anastacia

6. Last Taste of Freedom by Anastacia

Family Festivities by Anastacia
Author's Notes:
Here is the first banner that Shrinkingviolet made for the story. It is absolutely beautiful, but she felt that Howie and Kevin were neglected since they are the main focus of the story. But, I couldn't resist sharing it nonetheless.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Chapter 1 – Family Festivities


Cheyanne yawned softly as she stretched out on the large beach blanket tucked securely underneath the large umbrella. She was vaguely aware of the ocean waves crashing a good distance below her as Olivia’s laughter flittered around her. Her lips curving into a lazy smile, she rolled onto her stomach, assuming she had a few more moments’ peace. That is, till she felt the icy chill of sea water being spilled over her bare back, followed by a lump falling onto her and an infamous giggle. Immediately rolling, Cheyanne caught her daughter in her arms, squealing in disbelief as Hoke scurried away, laughing hysterically. She should have known better than to let Hoke entertain Olivia while she napped, awaiting the rest of the party guests for the beach birthday. The child, a year old that very day, was already a delightful handful. But her grandfather loved to exacerbate her impish qualities. Not that Cheyanne minded as she immediately pulled up Olivia’s tankini top to ravage her belly with raspberries. “Olivia Austin Dorough! Just wait till your Daddy gets back!”

"Papa!" Olivia squealed, pointing at her grandfather. "Dada 'ove me!" she announced as though that solved everything, squirming against her mother's raspberries.

“Your Daddy may love you silly, but your Momma has you right now,” Hoke chuckled as he moved to help Paula with the hamburgers and hot dogs that they were grilling. The doting grandparents had insisted on hosting Olivia’s first birthday party at their beach front property, much like they insisted on hosting Cheyanne and Olivia till after the Dorough wedding next Saturday. It had been a sheer joy to have the mother and daughter within their constant company and Hoke would be the first to admit he would miss them when Howie revealed his grand wedding present to his future bride.

"There's my birthday girl!" Austin's voice called from boardwalk leading to the beach. Immediately Olivia's head snapped up, and she squirmed away from her mother. Thrusting the gifts she held in Kevin's arms, Austin rushed forward to scoop her goddaughter into her arms. "How's the world's most beautiful baby?" she cooed.

“Aun-Ausi!” Olivia gurgled with a squeal of delight, reaching eagerly to wrap her arms around Austin’s neck. It had been little over a week since Olivia, Howie, and Cheyanne had parted ways with Kevin and Austin for Florida. So, naturally, Olivia dearly missed her godparents. Having lived in the same house with them since birth had formulated quite a strong attachment. “Miss you!”

"Missed you more!" Austin declared, spinning her around in a quick circle before kicking off her shoes. "Why are you soaking wet? You been swimming with your Papa?" she questioned, moving to settle next to Cheyanne. "Uh-oh… Momma's soaking wet too… But you better go give Pappy some loves before he gets to poutin'," she instructed, patting Olivia on her rear end.

“Pappy ‘Evvy!” Olivia called with a giggle, toddling to tackle Kevin as he transferred the presents into Hoke’s arms.

“Did you miss me, too?” Cheyanne inquired as she reached to gather her long honey curls into a messy bun, glancing sideways to her best friend. She had been anxiously awaiting their arrival from North Carolina, knowing that this was the start of an entirely different form of their friendship. Though, Cheyanne hoped it wouldn’t change their bonds.

In reply, Austin flopped atop her friend, wrapping her arms around her tightly. No words could ever express how empty she had felt for the past week. Though Kevin insisted their temporary housing was small compared to what they would soon be living in, Austin had found herself wandering to Cheyanne and Olivia's empty room to sit on the bed. She tried not to think of the upcoming months, knowing the loneliness would only intensify. "Naw," she drawled against Cheyanne's hair. "I didn't miss you at all…"

“Good, ‘cause I didn’t miss you one iota either,” Cheyanne returned as she curled her arms around Austin for a tight squeeze, telling her indeed how much she had missed her best friend.

"Figures," Austin snorted. "In fact, we've already fumigated and painted your old room... Hope you don't mind that we threw your stuff away," she teased, showering her friend's cheek with kisses.

"Mama 'ove Aun-Ausi!" Olivia announced from the protection of Kevin's arms.

“Of course I love your Aunt Austi,” Cheyanne squealed as she attempted to fight off Austin’s attacks. “And I know you didn’t throw my stuff out, ‘cause Tea already had it packed and shipped. To where, I ain’t got a clue!”

"Oh!" Austin shrieked, leaping away as Cheyanne began to tickle. "I know where he sent it! But if I breathe a word, Kevvy'll have my head, so… Who else is coming to the shindig?" she questioned, hopping to her feet in order to brush the sand off her body. Glancing towards the sparkling ocean, she wondered if she had time to take a quick dip before the festivities began. The heat of Florida in August was going to be the death of her, she was certain. She partially blamed the fatigue on the new vitamin regimen prescribed by her gynecologist, but knew it was just the sweltering atmosphere. She didn't know how Cheyanne could stand it.

“Um… Polly for starters. Then AJ, Brian, Darlin’, and Vivian have already flown in like y’all because of the wedding, so they’ll be here,” Cheyanne answered as Olivia squirmed away from Kevin’s arms, toddling to grasp her mother’s hands. Obliging, Cheyanne stood to fix her halter bikini top and boycut bottoms, then scooped Olivia into her arms, knowing she wanted to play in the water. Gesturing toward her friends, she started for the gentle waves hoping her voice was soft as she announced the last party guest. “And Nick…”

Austin skidded to a stop, glancing over at Kevin as he kicked off his shoes. "Did she just say who I think she said?" she questioned softly, reaching for his hand.

"Niiiiick!" Olivia screamed with excitement. "My Niiiiick!"

“I believe she said Nick’s coming to the party,” Kevin answered with a small shrug of his shoulders before reaching to grasp her hand, leading her to the shoreline. Five months of marriage had surely not exactly been wedded bliss, especially when it came to Cheyanne’s flittering relationship with Nick. When they were all living in North Carolina, Austin seemed to explode whenever Nick was on the phone or chatting on the internet with Cheyanne. And when he visited, which was only once, Kevin surely thought that Hell had frozen over. Kevin understood his wife’s position though. Nick had hurt Cheyanne repeatedly. They just wanted to protect her. But, Cheyanne was stubborn as much as anyone else within the group. It was her choice. Not Austin’s.

“Zoom! Zoom!” Olivia giggled as her mother set her on the wet sand, reaching to grasp both her hands so she wouldn’t be swept away. “My Zoom Nick!” Olivia insisted as she glanced up at her mother, referring to Nick as her ‘Zombie.’

“He is most definitely your Zoom Nick…” Cheyanne promised as Olivia bounced to splash up the salty water.

Austin bit back a string of expletives at the thought of having to deal with Nick at Olivia's party. Instead, she laced her fingers with Kevin's, knowing better than starting trouble. Considering their earlier row on the plane, she knew she had to tread lightly. "I'll be nice," she promised, kicking her foot in the water to splash his legs.

“That is not nice!” Kevin chided as he jumped as the cold water swept upward on his bare legs. Seeing her wicked grin, Kevin knew he had to do one better. Seizing her up in his arms, he ran further into the ocean, throwing her in before diving underneath the waves himself.

"Pappy!" Olivia cried, leaning back to look at her mother. "Pappy gone!"

“He’s hiding,” Cheyanne promised with a laugh, gesturing toward the larger waves as Austin surfaced, cursing wildly at Kevin. “See, there he is, Cinnamon Sweetness!”

Olivia looked towards where her mother pointed, her lips protruding into a small pout. "Aun-Ausi otay?" she asked worriedly as Kevin and Austin began splashing each other.

"I'm coming up, so you better get the party started!" AJ bellowed from the house as he came outside.

"ALLIE!" Olivia screamed, slipping out of her mother's grasp in order to toddle towards the man who spoiled her nearly as much as her father.

“Watch out for crabs!” Cheyanne warned loudly as her daughter burst up toward the party in order to launch herself into the thin man’s arms. AJ wildly spun her in a circle as he layered her face with kisses, already handing over his pile of presents to Hoke. Glancing back to see the competition heating between the husband and wife, Cheyanne snorted. “Like your Godparents… They’re vicious creatures…”

"Where's your Daddy at, Ollie-Oil?" AJ questioned, securing her on his hip as he went to greet Cheyanne. "Don't he know we're having a party?"

"Daddy bye," Olivia informed him seriously, clutching the front of his tank top for stability.

"Oh yeah? Well maybe I can slip you away and we can run off to Cancun—"

“Don’t I get an invitation to join?” Cheyanne interrupted as she hurried out of the small waves while Kevin and Austin attempted to splash at her. Smoothing back the loose golden curls, she leaned to kiss AJ’s cheek affectionately.

"And have the wrath of the entire Dorough family waiting on me?" AJ scoffed, looping his free arm around her shoulders so he could kiss her cheek. "Maybe I'll take Baby Girl—"

"No Mama, no me," Olivia interjected matter-of-factly.

“I think I might have to tell Tea he was right… Cinnamon might just be a Momma’s girl…” Cheyanne concluded with a small smile that matched her daughter’s smile, leaning to kiss her sweetly.

Chuckling, AJ shifted Olivia on his hip. Inhaling the salty air, he coughed, making a face. "Oh yeah… She's really a Momma's girl right now," he announced, quickly handing her over to Cheyanne. "A little biohazardous as well…"

“Glad to see you aren’t shirking your duties anymore, Al,” Cheyanne snorted as Olivia blushed with embarrassment, hiding her face in the crook of her mother’s neck as she was carried off to be changed.

"Hey! I'll change a wet one! But those little stink bombs tend to gross a guy out!" AJ shouted in defense. "Momma D!" he called, his mind already on other matters as he headed over to greet her. "Do you have a spare pair of trunks for your favorite adopted son? I forgot mine…"

“Only my Alexander would forget to bring a pair of swimming trunks to a beach party,” Paula sighed ruefully as AJ affectionately kissed her cheek. Patting his cheek, she nodded. “Upstairs in Howie’s old bedroom where they usually are. And don’t go terrorizing my future daughter-in-law, okay? She’s already nervous enough about a Catholic wedding.”

"But why? It's just a little holy-rolling, some incantations in Latin, the snake dance, dunking her head in wine and then she gets to kiss Howie. No big deal," AJ shrugged with a wicked grin as he headed for the house.

“Is it really that in depth?” Austin inquired as she managed to drag Kevin out of the water, overhearing AJ’s final comment as she reached to help Paula set out the condiments.

“It’s more involved than your wedding, which means Cheyanne will actually have to pay attention,” Hoke warned with a snicker.

Austin's cheeks flushed a deep crimson, deepening as her husband joined in the laughter. "God, I hope Chey calls Howie by the wrong name... Instead of Howard Dwaine, she better say Dwaine Howard," she muttered, jabbing Kevin in the ribs. "You forgot Paula and Hoke's photos," she reminded him suddenly.

“What photos?” Kevin blanked, immediately rubbing the tender pain Austin had created.

"Their copies of the wedding photos?"

“Oh, damn…” Kevin trailed with a groan, seating himself at the picnic table to steal a few pickle chips. “Seems like we’ve been married a helluva lot longer than still having to worry about wedding photos.”

“Time goes fast when you’re on the couch, Kevin,” Hoke reminded.

"Luckily for him, I don't forget that easily," Austin cooed, kissing his damp shoulder as she moved to sit next to him. "They're in the car, babe…" she trailed, glancing up as Howie came out, looking harried and rushed. "Finally!"

"DADDY!" Olivia screamed from her prostrate position, kicking her legs excitedly.

“Hold on!” Cheyanne grunted in shock as she hurriedly secured the sides of Olivia’s swimming diaper, yanking up her swim bottoms before the little girl sprung away. Falling backward in the hot sand, Cheyanne watched Olivia toddle hurriedly toward her father, continuing to chant his name with warm coos. And, Cheyanne smiled gratefully, falling in love with Howie all over again when she heard Olivia’s absolute adoration for him.

"Ready for your party, Cinnamon?" Howie cooed, scooping her into his arms so he could shower her with kisses. "Aunt Polly's here now… And I believe I saw Brian pulling up when I went inside—"

"BAY!" Olivia interrupted.

"And your Zoom Nick called to say he'll be here shortly, he had to stop and pick up Aaron—"

"Aaron?" Austin groaned. "Just a party full of pissfucks," she hissed in Kevin's ear.

“Austin Leigh Richardson, behave,” Kevin warned.

"Only if he does—"

“Mama! ‘Iss Daddy! Daddy! Me Bay!” Olivia insisted as she pointed toward the little boy walking between Brian and Vivian. Squirming once more to be placed on the sand, she smacked a kiss to Howie from her hand, hurrying to embrace Baylee. She absolutely loved the older boy, insisting that he move in permanently whenever he came for visits.

"I swear, her thoughts drift as much as yours," Kevin mused to his wife with a smirk as Howie moved to kiss Cheyanne.

"Been for a swim?" Howie murmured against Cheyanne's lips, his hands sliding over her damp midsection.

"HEY! No makin' out on the beach!" Brian hollered as he added his gifts to the pile for Olivia.

“This is a friendly hello,” Cheyanne warned as she glanced over Howie’s shoulder to offer an impish smirk. Tilting back, she kissed him once more, feeling his fingers tug gently at the dangling belly button ring. “Our daughter decided I needed to swim on my beach blanket.”

"Which explains why Dad is also soaking wet," Howie whispered with a smirk. Sliding one arm around her waist, he pulled her closer, playfully tugging on her piercing. "I missed you…"

“I missed you, too,” Cheyanne promised as she kissed the corner of his mouth, easing her arms around his neck. “But if you’d stop running away all the time, I think it’d solve the whole problem…”

"True… But that'd make the whole greeting you after a short time apart disappear," he informed her, tilting his head slightly to intensify their kiss.

"Good God, get a room!" Austin screeched, throwing a pickle at them.

“Five months of marriage and she’s acting like she took a vow of celibacy,” Cheyanne breathed against Howie’s lips before pulling away, peeling the pickle away from her arm. Wrinkling her nose, she thought about tossing it back, but instead just simply popped it into her mouth.

"Ha! Just wait," Austin warned, hopping up to follow Paula inside. "Since we said 'I do', there are so many things we don't…"

“She ain’t kidding,” Kevin mumbled under his breath, following Hoke to get the meat off the grill so everyone could eat.

“Please make sure we don’t turn out like that… Okay, Tea?” Cheyanne requested softly.

"I promise," Howie whispered, kissing the tip of her nose.

"Trouble in paradise, Kev?" AJ questioned seriously as he was lassoed into helping at the grill. Regarding the older man with a critical eye, he noted the weary expression on his friend's face. "You look like shit, dude…"

“We just got to Florida yesterday. I’m not really adjusted,” Kevin answered, turning to involve himself in a conversation with Hoke so AJ would quit pestering him.

“Mama! Bay!” Olivia announced with a giggle as she finally arrived back at the group, wrapped in Baylee’s loving arms. She grinned excitedly as she kissed the older boy’s cheek, knowing he wanted her mother’s attention away from her father. “Mama!”

“Are you done hogging him?” Cheyanne inquired as she stooped to the two toddlers.

Glowering at Kevin's back, AJ glanced around for someone, anyone, who would know the scoop. "Say, Viv," he called, backing away from what he considered a boring conversation in order to speak with Brian's girlfriend. "Come chat with me while I get my feet wet?" he requested.

"My Bay!" Olivia insisted.

"My Angel!" Baylee squealed, squirming away from Olivia's affection so he could embrace Cheyanne. "Missed you!" Wrapping his arms tightly around her neck, he squeezed tight, as though it had been months since their last meeting.

"Scooper… You just saw her yesterday," Brian reminded him with a chuckle, shaking his head as he popped open a can of Pepsi. "Ain't like she's been missing at sea for six months…"

“Hey,” Cheyanne chided as she playfully glared toward Brian, lifting Baylee into her arms to shower his face with kisses, though Olivia frowned. “You’re just jealous that you don’t get this kind of loving from me. And, I need his overwhelming affections, thank’ya’much.”

"Well," Brian huffed, sucking in his cheeks as Olivia tugged on Cheyanne's leg, insisting she be held as well.

"Bear! Quit poutin' and c'mere," Vivian called from the shoreline, where she was walking with AJ.

"Mama, up!" Olivia cried, her bottom lip poking out further and further with each passing second. "Want—"

"ZOMBIE!"

"ZOOM NICK!"

“Bye-Bye, Little Angel!” Baylee called with a sly grin, waving from Cheyanne’s arms as Olivia scrambled for the final guest. What she and Cheyanne seemed to agree was the guest of honor, despite his younger, lankier guest.

Olivia toddled quickly over to Nick, skidding to a stop when she saw someone behind him. Wavering on her feet for an instant, she opened her mouth in surprise, only to fall face-first into the sand. "Who dat?" she insisted, squirming to sit up, covered from head to toe in sand.

“Zombie!” Nick yelped, tossing his presents toward his brother in order to bend down to scoop up the toddler. Reaching to rub the gritty sand away from her delicate face, he hurriedly glanced over her to make sure she was okay. Smiling with soft relief when she sneezed, wrinkling her nose at the tingling sensation, he immediately thought of Cheyanne. “Oh, Zombie… You’re such a daredevil… And this is my little brother, Aaron. Aaron, this is my little girl, Olivia.”

"The birthday girl?" Aaron questioned, smirking when Olivia wound her arms around Nick's neck. "Holy shit, dude, she looks just like you," he breathed before glancing around. "Where's the MILF at?"

Nick scowled. “Aaron, remember what I told you--”

“Hey, Nicky, I’m glad you made it,” Cheyanne interrupted, breaking away from the clustered group after requesting that Baylee keep Howie busy. Her fiancé had yet to understand why Cheyanne so desperately fought to salvage her friendship with Nick. She had tried to explain, but, like Austin, he was fiercely protective. So, she kept what secrets she could, unable to hide her smile as she approached.

"Of course I made it, Sweetheart," Nick enthused, reaching to pull her into his embrace. Next to him he realized Aaron was nearly panting at the sight of Cheyanne in a bikini, and he berated himself for bringing his kid brother along. Kissing the top of Cheyanne's head, he gently squeezed her, grateful he had been issued an invitation. "How are my two favorite girls?" he questioned, steering her away from Aaron.

“Better, now that you’re here,” Cheyanne answered, bouncing onto her tiptoes to offer Nick an affectionate kiss to the cheek. “Somehow, it’s just not the same talking to you on the phone and on the internet. Y’know? And Cinnamon missed you something fierce…”

"I missed y'all too," Nick admitted, aware that Aaron was right behind them. Olivia rested her head on his shoulder, babbling incessantly at his little brother. "You don't mind that I brought the fucker do you?" he whispered to Cheyanne, leaning down to kiss her cheek softly.

“Not at all,” Cheyanne promised with an impish grin, pulling away from his embrace. She was oblivious to all the comments that Aaron and Nick exchanged daily by her. Instead, she just heard about the wild stories that Nick was willing to share. The tamer stories. So, she had no problem extending a hand toward Aaron. “It’s nice to finally meet you.”

"Yeah? Same here," Aaron assured her, giving her a grin that was nearly a mirror of his brother's. "Fuc—Nick's told me so much about you…"

“Should I be nervous?” Cheyanne questioned with a rueful smile, glancing back toward Nick with slight apprehension.

"Hell no, babe, you should be proud!"

"Aaron!" Nick hissed, sending his brother a warning glare. "Remember what I told you on the way over—"

“Wait a minute… Nicky is actually censoring someone because he’s embarrassed? Well bless my soul!” Cheyanne interrupted with a playful coo, causing Olivia to giggle.

"I'm not embarrassed! I just don't want the little pisser to—"

"Boohbah! Come make yourself useful!" Austin snapped as she came outside, arms laden with salads and side dishes. Her eyes narrowed when she noticed the close proximity of Nick and Cheyanne's bodies, and the fact that Aaron was ogling Cheyanne's chest as though he had never seen breasts before was irritating to say the least. "Chey needs to get Ollie cleaned up so we can eat."

“Does she ever stop PMS’ing, honestly?” Nick growled.

“It’s just her nature,” Cheyanne stated easily, lifting Olivia out of Nick’s embrace.

"Maybe so… But Jesus, you'd think being married would calm her down a few notches," Nick grumbled as he headed over. Snatching the topmost container from Austin's hold, he peered at her over the rims of his sunglasses. "So fucking pleased to see you, too," he sneered before heading to the tables.

“Awe, Nick, so glad you could pull yourself out of a drunken stupor so you could pretend to be a human being for about five minutes. That is, till you decide to start beating on Chey-Chey again,” Austin returned nastily, jerking away from him to set the table. “Howie, get your fiancée before she’s molested how ‘bout it?”

Howie glanced up from his conversation with his father. He had been about to confide the difficulty he was having, writing his own vows for the wedding. Seeing Aaron leading Cheyanne to the shoreline, he saw nothing wrong with the picture as Baylee raced forward to catch her hand. Brian, Vivian and AJ were all at the water. "Molested by whom?" he questioned carefully, smiling slightly as Olivia leaned towards Aaron, wanting held by the younger version of Nick.

Austin stifled a string of curses as Paula breezed past, speaking with Pollyanna about the wedding dress which had been delivered a few days ago. “Howie, I swear to God--”

"Princess," Kevin warned gently, shaking his head slightly. "We talked about this—"

“Pretty Boy, I don’t give a rat’s flying ass at this point when that little heathen is staring down Chey-Chey’s bikini top while her fiancé just stands up here like some oaf. Isn’t it bad enough that she was allowed to invite Nick to the party? Heaven forbid he shows up at the wedding!”

"Austin!" Paula chided, clicking her tongue. "Cheyanne knows what she's doing. Aaron is far from a little heathen."

"Thanks, Momma," Howie whispered, biting back a grin.

"Besides, at least Cheyanne doesn't go off getting drunk with other men and practically have sex with them on the back porch," Paula added under her breath as she passed Nick to go check on the cake. "Mouthy little…"

Nick grinned wickedly. “Now I know why little Miss Austin wasn’t invited to stay in the Dorough house…”

*~*~*


"Are you sure you don't want to stay and hang out for a while?" Howie questioned as Kevin stowed containers of leftovers in the backseat of his rental. Paula had been insistent that the 'newlyweds' take some food with them to the hotel. Glancing back at the house, he saw the light in his and Cheyanne's room turn off, a sign that Olivia was sleeping comfortably in her crib. She had run out of energy not long after opening her mountain of presents, falling asleep in AJ's lap as he had read her new Care Bears book to her. "Nick and Aaron are going to stay and Dad's going to start a little bonfire, since Honey loves roasted marshmallows. Come on, it'll be fun," he encouraged. The week away from his friend had started taking its toll, and he wanted as much quality time with Kevin as possible before the wedding, honeymoon and permanent move to Florida kept them apart for months on end.

“Princess is kind of tired…” Kevin attempted to explain as he glanced toward the front of the rental car where Austin was waiting quite impatiently. She had been perturbed through the entire party, especially as she saw Cheyanne interact so happily with Aaron and Nick. No one else had seen what she saw and she was convinced both were up to no good. So, she wanted to leave. Immediately. And, Kevin knew it would be Hell if he didn’t oblige her demand, though he longed to stay with the group. “You could pick me up from the hotel tomorrow, y’know… I’d like to see the fancy new house you’ve got for Angel. I’ll help you with whatever you need. Just time for us?”

Howie nodded, stepping back so Kevin could open the driver's door. "Sounds like a plan… Thanks, for everything," he murmured, giving the older man a quick hug before leaning to wave at Austin. "I'll give you a call before I swing out. Be careful," he added as Austin tossed up her hand distractedly.

“I might be crashing over here by the looks of things,” Kevin mumbled with a painful smile, slumping into the driver’s side to fire the engine, hoping to drown out what would be the start of Austin’s angered ramblings.

Howie raised his eyebrows, about to question Kevin's meaning, but decided to let it go as the car backed out of the driveway. Surely Kevin would share what appeared to be marital problems with him tomorrow. With a final wave, he headed back inside, thinking perhaps he had time for a quick shower before relaxing with everyone else. Immediately he bumped into Aaron, who was on his way downstairs, a knowing grin on his face.

"Your old lady just put the kid to bed, D… Chey's out on the beach looking for a decent stick. You coming?"

“Yeah, I’m coming. I just want to kiss Cinnamon goodnight first,” Howie answered, moving to climb the steps as Aaron hit the bottom. “…Where’s your brother?”

"He's helping Chey look for a stick… I offered, but apparently my stick ain't up to scratch next to Fucker's…" Aaron trailed as he headed towards the kitchen.

“I better hurry,” Howie groaned, dashing up the steps, knowing better than to leave Cheyanne alone with Aaron and Nick, despite his mother’s belief that the two were ‘angelic.’

Strolling through the kitchen, Aaron paused to nab the last hot dog lying on the plate. Munching on it as he headed outside, he lurched to a stop when he saw Nick and Cheyanne already sitting by the fire. The flickering flames lit Cheyanne's face as she giggled, dumping marshmallows into a bowl as Nick talked to Hoke. Cramming the rest of the hot dog into his mouth, Aaron hastily chewed and swallowed before running over to flop down next to Cheyanne. "Did you get me a stick?" he asked hopefully as Hoke bid them all goodnight. "Where'd J go?"

"He had a date," Nick answered with a scowl, glancing at the miniscule space between his brother and Cheyanne. "You 'member that Kaci chick, Sweetheart?"

“You mean Junior Jailbait?” Cheyanne questioned with a small smile, reaching behind her to gather the sticks she had located. Well, more like Nick had located after he playfully ran her into the ocean. Though, her thoughts fell back to the young girl, Kaci, who had been an opening singer for the Never Gone Tour. Wrinkling her nose, she shrugged haphazardly. “Whatever knocks his socks off I guess… Austi’ll go to town on him for that mistake harder than I ever would…”

"Yeah… Austi's good at that," Nick muttered, reaching behind Cheyanne to shove Aaron away. "Jesus, Fucker, give the woman some room to breathe!" he grumbled.

“Holy Hell!” Aaron growled with shock as he tumbled off the beach blanket from Nick’s hard shove, causing him to fall face first into the warm sand. “What the fuck is your problem, Asshole?! You told me to be friendly! Here I am, fucking friendly and getting a snort of sand!”

“Nicky,” Cheyanne chided in surprise, thrusting the bowl of marshmallows into his lap as she reached over to help Aaron out of the sand. “Are you okay, Aaron?”

"Fine," he whined, spitting sand from his mouth. Giving her a grin, he glanced down as she brushed the sand from his neck. "Say… Need a stripper for the bachelorette party?"

"Jesus Christ," Nick breathed, angrily stabbing a marshmallow with a stick. "See if I take you anywhere anymore, Fucker—"

“He tends to get a little jealous when it comes to you,” Aaron confessed quite loudly as he reached his hand back to brush her fingers when she had cleaned away the rest of the sand. “Selfish bastard…”

"I'm not jealous! …More concerned you'll try to drag her behind the rocks," Nick muttered under his breath as Howie came outside. "Yo, D! Come protect your woman from Aaron, man—"

“He doesn’t have to protect me,” Cheyanne interrupted as she patted Aaron’s cheek affectionately before boosting herself off the blankets. “Aaron’s been fantastic and Cinnamon thinks he’s adorable. You worry too much Nicky,” she finished as she walked to greet Howie. “Did Kevvy and Austi leave?”

"Yeah… I think Badonkadonk was a little tired," Howie murmured as he pulled her into his arms. "Think we can lose the morons soon?" he whispered in her ear, glancing over to see Aaron and Nick gesturing wildly as they carried on a silent conversation.

“And just what do you plan to do when you get rid of the morons?” Cheyanne questioned with an impish grin, reaching to run her fingers through his short, dark curls. She knew Howie had already tucked Olivia in for the night and she would sleep quite comfortably. She never went to sleep without kisses from her mother and her father singing ‘Welcome to my Heart.’

"I thought a little late night lovemaking by the bonfire might be in order," Howie answered softly, his hands moving in slow circles over her hips as he lowered his head to kiss her gently. "But… If you'd rather roast marshmallows with Tweedledum and Tweedledee—"

“Would you be crushed terribly if I said I had a serious hankering for some burnt marshmallows?” Cheyanne interrupted with a playful smirk, wrapping her arms around his waist as she hardened the kiss.

"Not too terribly, no… But I'll be beyond crushed if you said you didn't want any lovemaking by the fire—"

"HEY! HEY!" Aaron shrieked. "Think you could tone down the PDA?"

"God," Howie groaned, nibbling lightly on Cheyanne's lips. "Let's go burn some marshmallows…"

“Don’t worry, I’ll let you cuddle up to Aaron,” Cheyanne promised as she kissed the corner of his mouth before threading their hands together. Her sapphire eyes sparkling with delight, she pulled Howie toward the spacious blankets, breaking their hands so she could rub Nick’s back, leaning over him. “You did remember Hershey’s bars and graham crackers, right?”

Nick blanked. "Ah, shit—"

"I'll get them," Howie conceded, rolling his eyes as he headed back into the house.

Reaching behind him, Nick pulled Cheyanne forward, settling her into his lap as Aaron snorted under his breath. Ignoring his little brother's irritation, he wrapped his arms loosely around Cheyanne's waist, tucking his head on her shoulder as she reached for a stick. "Think maybe we can do our boat trip in the next few days before you're married and too busy for me?"

“Just because I’m married doesn’t mean that I’m going to be too busy for you. Tea wants to start working a little harder on his solo album, which means I’m going to have plenty of time to myself… But, we’re really doing the boat trip?” Cheyanne inquired as she glanced back to Nick before purposely shoving the marshmallow in the flames to ignite it.

"I'm still hoping? Just me, you, and Zombie?" Nick suggested, lightly kissing her bare shoulder.

“I’d like that a lot… I’ll go if you still want me to go?”

"If we wait till you're married can we make it an overnight trip?"

Aaron snorted with laughter. "You're not such a slick fucker after all, are you?" he questioned, holding his marshmallow just above the flames so it wouldn't singe.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Cheyanne questioned with an innocent confusion, pulling her marshmallow back to blow out the flames. Grinning with satisfaction at the black coating of sugary confection, she timidly attempted to pinch it between her fingers, sliding the gooey mess off her stick. Hurriedly popping it into her mouth, she cupped her hands over her face to shield the men from her sticky mess.

Nick leaned slightly to lick the mess off her fingers. "An overnight trip? It means we'd leave one day, go out and stay overnight, then come back the next…"

“I know what that means and I thought that’s what the boat trip was all about anyway? ‘Cause you knew about some deserted islands…” Cheyanne trailed, studying Nick in surprise.

"Does Zombie still have to come with us?" he whispered against her fingers as Aaron hummed loudly.

“I thought you wanted her to come…”

"I do, but—"

"Here comes the groom!" Aaron bellowed as Howie stepped out the back door.

"Goddamnit…"

“At least he’s a good watchdog,” Cheyanne informed Nick, continuing to stay perched in his lap as she finished cleaning her fingers before reaching for another marshmallow.
Chapter 2 - Marital Discord by Anastacia
Chapter 2 – Marital Discord

“Cheyanne! Someone down here wants to see you!”

Cheyanne wrinkled her nose in surprise as Angie’s voice carried from downstairs, praying to God above that it wasn’t Howie. The dresses for the wedding had just been delivered and Paula wanted to assure that everything was perfection. She had just been zipped into her elegant wedding dress when the request had been announced. It had been enough trouble to wrangle her body into the dress let alone have to undress for a visitor. She really wasn’t accustomed to wearing such outfits. Even Olivia looked up from her My Little Ponies in wonder, grinning at her mother’s beauty. Cooing toward Olivia, Cheyanne hiked up her skirts before peeking out into the hallway. “If it’s Howie tell him he’s a dead man if he walks up these steps! He’s supposed to be gone the whole day!”

"Just shoot me if I start looking like Howie, okay?!" Austin hollered up the stairs as she sprinted up. "I mean, I know I've got the dark hair, just…" Shuddering, she stuck out her tongue. "And you look fabulous… Despite the smear of mustard on your chin."

“Dear Lord in Heaven, don’t tell Momma D that or she’ll murder me,” Cheyanne drawled in disbelief, hurriedly wiping the mustard away with her fingers before licking it away. “And don’t say I look fabulous. I look like a mess and I certainly ain’t ready for this wedding. I’m just bound to do something wrong, which means Howie will probably excommunicated on my account. And I don’t think his family would approve of the daughter-in-law that condemned their baby boy to Hell for the rest of eternity… I think I need to order myself a sedative to get through this…”

"I've got some Xanax leftover from my wedding…" Austin trailed, following Cheyanne into the room. "By the way, have you practiced walking in your new heels yet?" she questioned, bending down to scoop up Olivia into a tight squeeze. She had never seen Cheyanne so nervous before.

Cheyanne made a face at the mere mention of her infamous heels. The same heels that Angie and Pollyanna had insisted she walk the halls in at least three times a day. They were no picnic and made her feet ache. Not to mention she was far less than her usually graceful self. She was far more content with flip-flops, but feared Howie might frown upon that. Glancing around the room, she noticed that Paula had slipped away for a moment. For what, Cheyanne had no idea, so she simply stepped onto the small podium near the floor length mirror, knowing that’s where she’d be positioned anyway. “My sister-in-laws have made a variety of heel-practices for me. Walking the halls at least three times a day… If not more…”

"Have you practiced dancing in them yet? Or are you just going to stomp City Boy's feet into the reception hall floor?" Austin smirked, rubbing her nose against Olivia's. "Momma's silly, ain't she? Tell her, she could get away with going barefoot like Austi did, but no, she has to be all prim and proper!"

"P'oper!" Olivia giggled, clinging to Austin. "Mama p'oper!"

“Howie wants this wedding to be perfection. He wants me to wear heels. He wants this huge, beautiful wedding in this amazing cathedral… I just want to make sure it’s perfect for him. So sue me,” Cheyanne sighed, reaching to gather her thick honey locks into a high ponytail. She really didn’t want Austin’s criticism again. It hurt too much and made her unsure of herself.

"Ut-oh," Austin breathed to Olivia as she moved to view the back of Cheyanne's gown. "Momma's PMS'ing…"

"Cheyanne! Some more wedding gifts just arrived!" Pollyanna shouted from downstairs.

“I’m not PMS’ing,” Cheyanne defended as Paula shouted from the hallway for Pollyanna to put the gifts with the rest in the guest room downstairs. She then heard a short gasp as Paula entered the room. Immediately turning, Cheyanne self consciously ran a hand over her stomach, fearing there was something wrong with the dress. It was the first wedding dress that she had actually approved of. It was lovely. Or at least she had hoped so. “This is completely wrong, isn’t it?”

Paula shook her head, taking in the sight of Cheyanne in the strapless gown. Three bands of royal purple accented her waist, satin ribbons in the same color edging the draped layers leading to the train. The white organza brilliantly contrasted with Cheyanne's natural tan, and the glow in the young woman's eyes made Paula tear up. "Oh, Cheyanne," she breathed, scrambling for a tissue. "You look so beautiful…"

"Howie's going to fall in love with you all over again when he sees you coming down the aisle," Austin assured her with a smile. "You look perfect, Chey-Chey."

"Mama pwetty," Olivia cooed, squirming to get out of Austin's arms. Once on the floor, she toddled over, reaching to tug on the skirt of Cheyanne's gown. "Mama!"

“I heard you, Cinnamon Sweetness,” Cheyanne promised as she moved to step down from the small pedestal. Stooping, she retrieved Olivia from the floor, bringing her into her arms. Sighing, she kissed the side of her daughter’s face, brushing the growing honey curls away from her cherubic face. She didn’t exactly believe the others about her beauty. But her daughter was gorgeous.

"She doesn't believe us," Austin whispered to Paula.

"I know. But don't worry, we'll wear her down and make her believe," Paula assured her. "Now I think it's time Austin tries on her dress… POLLY!"

“COMING, MOMMA!” Pollyanna hollered back, which was followed by a series of loud stomps and heavy thumps. Hurrying up the steps, she charged into the room with a mauve dress with a large bow, heavily puffed sleeves, and ruffles galore.

“D’you like it, Austi? I picked it out myself,” Cheyanne enthused as she tucked Olivia on her hip, blowing a funny raspberry on the side of her daughter’s face as Austin grew quite pale.

"It's… Great," Austin squeaked, biting back her initial reaction. If Cheyanne was serious, she would wear it. As long as she could burn it immediately after the ceremony. Swallowing the lump in her throat, she tentatively touched one sleeve, cringing when she felt the rough fabric. It would barely take a match to ignite the monstrosity. "What is that… Burlap?" she questioned softly, glancing to her best friend.

“Oh you’re so funny, Austi!” Cheyanne giggled, causing Olivia to giggle as well, though Austin didn’t seem quite as entertained. The crumpled look of disgust on her best friend’s face was utterly classic. “Don’t worry ‘bout it being so course. It’ll loosen up real fine. And Momma D even made this pretty satin bow to go over your backside…”

"To enhance my natural excessiveness in that area… How… nice," Austin murmured through gritted teeth. "I'll be sure and treasure it always…"

“See, Momma? I told you that she’d absolutely adore it,” Cheyanne insisted with her usual sweetness as she crossed the guest room to a large walk in closet. Disappearing inside, she returned with another bridesmaids dress. This one was far lovelier than the abomination Austin was holding. It was a floor length, satin, off the shoulder, royal purple gown with a flared skirt and contrasting white hemming on the skirt and off the shoulder sleeves. Elegant and classy. “And you thought she’d like this one better--”

"Chey!" Austin squealed. "That's gorgeous! How the Hell did you—" Austin cut off, clearing her throat. "I mean… Vivian will look nice in that… And I'll have… This," she said brightly, inwardly gagging at the idea of ever wearing the dress she held. She would rather walk down the aisle in her granny panties and a holey t-shirt.

“Do you honestly think that I’d make you wear something so righteously ugly on my wedding day?” Cheyanne questioned with a playful horror, glancing at the small digital camera that Pollyanna was holding to see the pictures she had taken. The look on Austin’s face was fantastic. “I’m aghast, Austin Leigh Richardson, that you think so little of me!”

"You… You… Cheyanne Grace, I should slug you for that!" Austin growled, dropping the atrocity to the floor in a heap of polyester. "I was about ready to renege on my agreement to be your maid of honor!"

“But you should have seen your face!” Cheyanne explained with fierce giggles, collapsing on the bed as she tickled Olivia to elicit the same wild giggles in the little girl.

"Cheyanne! Your gown!" Paula immediately admonished.

"Don't get it all wrinkled before your wedding night!" Pollyanna insisted.

“Like Howie ain’t an expert at removing her clothes without making them wrinkled,” Austin objected with a smirk as Paula made Cheyanne stand, moving behind her to unzip the gown.

"Well, Baby Brother's always been a master with the ladies," Pollyanna teased, ignoring Cheyanne's embarrassed expression. "Though, I'll never forget the time he came to me for advice about girls—"

"Polly!"

"Spill!" Austin encouraged the older woman.

“Please don’t,” Cheyanne mumbled as she stepped out of her gown, allowing Paula to hang it back up. Reaching for her baggy t-shirt, she pulled it over her head, immediately turning to her daughter who was sitting on the bed, absorbing the conversation. “Does Cinnamon Sweetness want to try on her dress for Gramma?”

"'Pill, Powwy?" Olivia requested as Austin stepped into the bathroom to change.

"Awe, I better not… Your Momma might shut Daddy out for the wedding night, and I don't want that hanging over my head, Sweetie," Pollyanna answered with a smile.

“My Howard Dwaine is a virgin for his wedding night, Pollyanna,” Paula loudly chided, causing Cheyanne to pale slightly as she moved to gather Olivia’s dress.

Pollyanna gave Cheyanne a knowing smile. "Give Baby Brother a good time?" she requested in a whisper.

"POLLYANNA!"

"WHAT?!"

“I’ll have no such talk! Go downstairs if you’re going to be so crude! Making fun of your brother for being the only child in this family to actually listen! For shame!” Paula scolded, wagging her finger as Cheyanne made sure to avoid all eye contact with the older woman, finally locating Olivia’s dress.

"Wait!" Austin yelped, bursting from the bathroom, clutching the unzipped gown to her chest. "If Polly's gonna be crude, I want to be around too! Zip me, Chey?" she requested, turning.

"Aun Ausi pwetty!" Olivia cooed.

"Bless her, she thinks every woman is pretty, doesn't she?" Pollyanna questioned, sitting on the foot of the bed to pull her niece into her lap. "C'mon, Sweetie, let's get you all dolled up for Gramma."

“Me pwetty?” Olivia questioned as her mother offered Pollyanna the dress before zipping up Austin. She had selected a white satin gown with a royal purple satin sash and matching embroidery of flowers along the skirt. It was simple and quite beautiful, something Cheyanne would accept her daughter being dressed in. Though it seemed Olivia loved to play dress up like most little girls.

"Awe," Austin cooed, turning to look at her goddaughter. "You're breathtaking, Ollie… Wait till Bay sees you!"

“My Bay,” Olivia cooed as she clapped her hands. “Me ‘ove Bay!”

"Y'know… If you marry Bay, you'll have Vivian as a mother-in-law," Austin reminded her, leaning past Pollyanna to blow a noisy raspberry on the girl's cheek. "But he’ll be worth it, won't he?"

"Me 'ove Bay!"

“You’re the only person that has a problem with Vivie,” Cheyanne reminded Austin as Paula assessed the gown as Olivia insisted her mother dress her.

"Vivian is a wonderful young woman," Paula announced, smoothing the skirt of the gown Austin wore. "So sweet, how she brought Baylee over when they got in town just to see Olivia. She's going to make Brian a fine wife, mark my words," she continued as Austin rolled her eyes.

“Which just gave her all the time in the world to corrupt my Chey-Chey—ow!” Austin yelped as she jumped at the sharp prick to her backside. Glancing down, she saw a pin poised in Paula’s small hand and glared.

“Sorry, Dear, it slipped,” Paula explained, standing up. “Looks like the dress fits fine.”

"Thanks…" Rubbing her tender backside, Austin headed back into the bathroom. Her back turned, she missed the pleased smile on Paula's face as she moved to gather her pincushion.

“Momma, you should really cut Austin some slack,” Pollyanna chided once she was assured that Austin wouldn’t overhear and Cheyanne had hurried downstairs to get Olivia a drink of juice. “I don’t know what you have against her in the first place…”

"She's a bad influence on Cheyanne… She's rude, crude, overbearing and, to be honest, damned near irritating when it comes to anyone getting close to Cheyanne. Do you realize all the horrible things she did to keep your brother from forging a relationship with Cheyanne?"

“She’s Cheyanne’s best friend, Momma. You can’t change that.”

"I don't have to like—" Paula cut off as Austin stepped from the bathroom.

"Um… Where'd Chey go?" Austin asked softly, fiddling with the hem of the gown as she spread it across the bed.

“Downstairs to get Olivia a drink, but we’re done trying on dresses. Why don’t you take the Sweetie and meet her downstairs? Momma and I can put the dresses away,” Pollyanna offered, glancing toward her mother to warn her to maintain a proper air of manners.

Scooping Olivia up, Austin made a hasty exit, not bothering to pull on her sandals. Finding Cheyanne in the kitchen, recapping the bottle of juice, she felt tears well in her eyes. "Your future mother-in-law hates me!"

“What are you talking about?” Cheyanne questioned in confusion as she turned from the fridge, offering the sippy cup to her daughter before taking her from Austin. Her sapphire eyes sparked with honest worry as she searched her friend’s distressed face. “What happened, Austi?”

"She thinks I'm overbearing, rude, and… A bad influence on you," Austin sighed, repeating the words she'd overheard upstairs. "She apparently thinks I'm the spawn of Satan…" Pulling herself onto a stool at the counter, Austin shrugged. Paula was probably right. She had done horrible things to Howie, but… Hadn't that been in Cheyanne's best interest? Somehow, Austin wasn't so sure anymore. "Maybe I should just go—"

“Go? As in skip my wedding?”

"If she doesn't want me there, Chey, I—"

“What does that matter if I want you there? Damnit, Austi, this is the only wedding I’m going to have. And I should be damn lucky that his family is so accepting of me in the first place. Or that Howie would even want to marry me considering my history. This is a big deal and you just want to leave?”

"Chey," Austin sighed, reaching for one of the containers of bubbles waiting to be tied with ribbon. Instead of traditional rice or birdseed, Cheyanne had opted for bubbles to be blown while she and Howie left the reception, thinking of all the children that would have so much fun. "I don't want to leave… Hell, dealing with Paula is a helluva lot easier than Kevin…"

“What’s wrong with Kevvy?” Cheyanne questioned as she sat at the kitchen table, cuddling Olivia close as she sucked on her sippy cup.

"He's… I don't know. I think he's worried about the whole me not getting pregnant right away thing. And he's constantly on my case. Have I taken my vitamins? Am I sure that I was ovulating the last time we… You get the picture," Austin muttered with a shrug. "But I won't leave. Not if you want me to stay."

“Austi, I’m sorry that it’s so stressful…” Cheyanne sighed, playing with Olivia’s curls as the little girl cuddled against her. She suddenly felt guilty that she hadn’t been more supportive in the first place. She almost wanted to suggest that the couple go to a fertility specialist, but knew it wasn’t her place to say so.

"It'll be okay," Austin assured her, leaning to examine the polish on her toenails. "Think you can blow the future in-laws for the day and go for some girly treatment? I need a pedicure…"

“You want me to risk lung cancer with all those fumes just to watch you get a pedicure?” Cheyanne questioned as she bounced Olivia gingerly on her knees.

"We could always go torment Skinny?" Austin suggested with a smirk. "Anything to just get out… The three of us?"

“If we go torture Al, then it won’t be the three of us... We could go to Sea World. Cinnamon loves the dolphins and Shamu…”

"How about we just get in the car and decide on the way?"

"Go, Mama!" Olivia insisted.

“Guess I’m out-voted,” Cheyanne insisted with a smile, playfully tossing Olivia into her godmother’s arms. “Let me go get her diaper bag and we’ll be on our way.”

*~*~*


"Jesus," Kevin breathed as he stepped out onto the spacious deck in the rear of Howie's new house. Looking out at the glorious ocean, he shook his head in disbelief before turning to his friend. He had seen the entire downstairs of the spacious oceanfront property, and was thoroughly impressed. "You do realize, when Princess sees this, she's going to insist you find her one just like it?"

“Does that mean you guys will be moving to Florida?” Howie questioned with a small smile as she leaned over the upper deck of his home, which lead down to an in ground pool securely fenced before leading straight to the sandy beach. It was a gorgeous property. Howie had known it was the house he would raise his children in the first time he stepped across the threshold. He had spent months planning and perfecting the home, wanting to give it to Cheyanne as a wedding present. But, he needed someone else’s approval first. “…Do you think Honey’s going to like it? She won’t be mad that I bought a house without her?”

"I know Angel's going to love it, Howie. And, considering how harried she's been lately with the wedding and La-La's first birthday, I doubt she'll be mad at all. She may even give you some extra loving," Kevin teased, leaning against the railing. "So, is this what you were planning and scurrying around working on during the tour?" he questioned, pulling out his phone to check the signal. He hadn't heard a peep from Austin since leaving the hotel earlier. Which he could have taken as a good sign, knowing that she was off doing maid of honor duties with Cheyanne. But she had been so stressed lately, and he couldn't help but worry about her, especially considering how she had acted the night before. Sighing, he turned his phone off, shoving it into his pocket.

“I hope so… Y’know, to that extra loving part, ‘cause we’ll be on our honeymoon during my birthday…” Howie trailed with a grin, clasping his hands as he overlooked the ocean. “And, yeah, this is what I was working so hard on during the tour. I wanted to find it before anyone else did… Is something wrong, Kev?”

"No…"

“Okay…”

"Just be sure and enjoy the extra loving… 'Cause… Nevermind."

“You know, I owe you one… So if you want to talk about it, Kev… I mean, after my wedding, you won’t even have me around anymore, y’know? You’ll be in Kentucky…”

"She's shutting me out, D," Kevin blurted with a sigh. "And it's all my fault… And God, don't remind me you won't be around. She reminds me every damn day."

“Why is she shutting you out? And why does she remind you?” Howie asked with bewilderment, gesturing toward the patio chairs and table.

"I… I've been on her back about having a baby, I guess," Kevin sighed as he flopped into a chair. "I mean, I'm not getting any younger, y'know? I don't want to be going to our kid's school plays in a wheelchair. And it seems like no matter what we do, nothing happens. And I know that it takes time, and I can accept that, it's just…" Shaking his head, Kevin ran a hand through his hair, glancing out at the ocean. "Add to all that the fact you and Angel are moving here, and it just equals PMS, only a million times worse…"

Howie nodded in a soft understanding, not really knowing what to say at first. Instead, he set his cell phone on the glass table, spinning it in a circle to occupy himself. Upon first thought, he just wanted Kevin to move back to Florida. It would make everything so much easier if they weren’t in Kentucky. Cheyanne had yet to say anything about moving, but he knew the distance was hurting her. She just didn’t want to upset him. “I think if you stress out on having a baby, it’s probably going to be harder to conceive. And both of you are so up front and abrasive that it makes fireworks when you’re both stressed. And if you’re worried… Maybe you should see a doctor…”

Kevin nodded, watching Howie's cell phone spin around. "We have an appointment with a fertility specialist next week in LA… I'm surprised you didn't suggest adoption and moving in next door," he joked with a half hearted chuckle. Though, considering Austin's growing worries that Cheyanne would make new friends in Florida and outgrow her, he had seriously thought about suggesting they at least get a house for frequent visits to Florida.

“I thought that would be inappropriate and Honey would kill me if I let you adopt our Cinnamon,” Howie returned with a small smile. “I am going to miss having you around though.”

"Pretty damn decent of you to have that nervous breakdown last year, Howie. Made me realize what an okay guy you really are." Kevin smiled, glancing out at the ocean again.

“No problem, remind me to do it again in a few years.”

"Nah, the one time was enough… So, getting excited yet? Or have you passed that phase and now entered the cold feet zone? And why isn't there a frosty beer or two out here?"

“Just hold on,” Howie answered, pushing himself away from the table to enter the back of the kitchen from the sliding glass doors. Returning a few moments later, he handed Kevin a beer and kept one for himself. “I knew if I brought you here to work you’d want a frosty beer in return.”

"I love you," Kevin crooned with a grin. "So? Marriage to Angel? Ready to defend yourself against Baylee if he stands up to protest?"

“I’m not worried about Baylee. I think I could take the squirt if he stands up to protest…” Howie promised as he twisted the cap off his bottle of beer, leaning back in his chair to take a long sip. “…It’s Nick I’m worried about.”

"Nick?" Kevin repeated after taking a sip of his beer. "I thought…"

“I invited him to the wedding,” Howie confessed as he stared down at the platinum band with diamonds and a sapphire that Cheyanne had given him for his birthday. It wasn’t that he feared Cheyanne blossoming another relationship with Nick. He trusted her completely, knowing she only loved him. But Nick… He had a way of worming himself into Cheyanne’s life only to hurt her repeatedly. Howie couldn’t stand to watch that happen. It made him so sick with anger. Especially when he found the bruises on his fiancée’s body. How could Nick have the nerve to touch his future wife like that?

"Yeah… Austin was telling me about that… You're afraid he's going to cause a scene?" Kevin guessed, leaning back in his chair. "Howie, I'm sure he won't. He was nothing but great yesterday at La-La's party, unlike Aaron… But you could always take the invite back?"

“And have Honey resent me for the rest of our lives? No thanks…” Howie groaned, rubbing his temples. “It is horrible that I don’t want him near her?”

"Considering all the heartache and pain he's caused? No. But, asshole though he is, Cheyanne cares for him, and I think it's nice that you're extending a hand of civility just for her sake."

“I’m trying… He wants to take her out on his boat for a few days…”

"Holy shit… A few days?!"

“A few days… Just them…”

"…And you've said you're okay with this?"

“I haven’t said anything…”

"Just the two of them?"

“I thought I already established that?”

"Holy shit," Kevin breathed, shaking his head. "I hope you know a good place where I can rent a boat…"

“Why are you renting a boat?”

"When Princess hears about this, she'll be dragging my ass out to find them… Are you seriously going to let her go? After all the shit that asshole's caused?!"

“How am I supposed to tell her whether or not she’s allowed to go? I don’t own her, Kev. I can’t shackle her to the damn bed. Even if I want to throttle Nick, it’s only going to drive her away from me. God, I wish I could tell her no. I don’t think my heart could take seeing her with another bruise or a concussion… I don’t care what she says… He’s not different…”

"I know… I heard Aaron telling AJ that when they left last night they were planning on going to some party… Jesus… Want me to talk to Angel?" Kevin questioned, draining the rest of his beer in one gulp.

“Forbid her from going? What if he tries to force her to…” Howie couldn’t even bear to finish the thought, vigorously rubbing his temples to soothe the sharp headache brewing.

"If nothing else, I can suggest Austin go as well?"

“Nick most definitely hates Badonkadonk.”

"I really don't know what to say, Howie… When is this trip going to happen? Doesn't she realize she's getting married in a few days?"

“After the wedding, I guess…”

"Well… Hell, maybe by the time you get back from your honeymoon he'll have someone new to torment…"

“If three women at once won’t even keep him away from Honey… I think I’m doomed.”

"Doomed?" Kevin repeated in confusion. Shaking his head, he set his empty bottle on the table. "You're forgetting one important thing, D…"

“What?”

"She loves you. She's marrying you. She's going to spend the rest of her life with you. Nick's just a friend—"

“Kevin…”

"Don't you think that if she'd wanted Nick she would have kicked you to the curb after that stunt he pulled at the hospital?"

“I guess--”

"Then stop pouting like La-La after she's told no."

“I just love her so damn much…”

"I know. And you've got to trust her, and her decisions, too."

“But a boat trip with Nick? No means of accessing help if he did something?”

"Like I said, we could send Princess along as a bodyguard?"

“Guess I’ll have to take it into consideration…”
New and Old by Anastacia
Chapter 3 – New and Old

“If I didn’t know any better, I’d say that you wanted to move to Florida instead of Kentucky,” Kevin chuckled as he watched Austin run in and out of the waves, though she made sure to keep hold of his hand. It was one of her better moves since the wedding was approaching with swift speed. Kevin attributed it to the fact that she spent two whole days alone with Cheyanne and Olivia without anyone being able to interrupt. And, he was relieved. There were no fights at the hotel when she had Cheyanne all to herself. Kevin just hoped the mood would continue to remain light and romantic as they spent the twilight walking along the shore. Though, his thoughts were interrupted with Austin screamed and launched herself into his arms. He stumbled in shock to hold her weight, falling backward into the small waves. “What?!”

"Crabs!" Austin squealed, clinging to him as a wave crashed over their bodies. "The little pissfuck pinched my toe!" she sputtered, sitting up to make a cursory glance of the area. "You okay?" she questioned suddenly, touching his cheek gently as he gave her a look that told her she was completely out of her mind. "I mean, you fell kind of hard—"

“Now that my balls are hiding inside my body, sure, I’m peachy keen,” Kevin muttered sarcastically, having had no intentions of getting wet that night. Though, now, he was soaked.

"But this is nice," she murmured, leaning to kiss him softly. "Very reminiscent of Deborah Kerr and Burt Lancaster in From Here to Eternity," she reminded him.

“Who cares about a fictional couple when what we have is real, Princess?” Kevin returned with a grin, craning his neck to kiss her once more.

Sliding her arms around his neck, Austin sank into his kiss, the worries and stress she had told Cheyanne about previously having slipped away for the evening. "If I said I wanted to move down here would you be upset?" she questioned against the corner of his mouth, her tongue flicking the saltwater from his skin.

“I might be slightly annoyed that I put all that time and effort into our home in Kentucky… But I guess we’d always need a summer home… Somewhere…” Kevin mumbled as he leaned back in the wet sand, wrapping his arms around her waist.

"And we'd spend a lot of time there, visiting Momma R," Austin reminded him, growing excited at the idea of being close to her Cheyanne. "And our children… They'll need a great place in the country to run and stomp snakes and make mudpies…"

“I thought that’s why we were moving to Kentucky in the first place?”

"Then why bring up moving down here?"

“I don’t know… I just don’t like seeing you so upset…”

Propping her elbows on his chest, Austin gazed down at him in the soft light coming from the oceanfront homes and the moon. "You've been upset lately too," she observed, reaching to trace his cheek with her thumb.

“Well, yeah… It’s hard for me to leave Howie and Angel, too. We’ve been this tight little family since the cabin and Howie’s my best friend… And I know you don’t want to leave Angel. You don’t want her to be so far away,” Kevin explained gingerly, not wanting to bring up their fruitless efforts to produce children.

"I supposed whacking them over the head and keeping them prisoner in Kentucky is out of the question?" Austin suggested in an attempt to lighten the mood.

“Even the hicks of rural Kentucky might frown upon that, Princess…”

"So I guess I better suck it up and realize how blessed I am that you'll be with me?"

“Well, yeah, you’re blessed to have me… But I would move to Florida if that’s what you wanted…”

"…Do they have a good fertility specialist down here?" Austin questioned hesitantly. Though she tried to push their unsuccessful attempts at pregnancy from her mind, it weighed heavily on her subconscious. Immediately she regretted mentioning it, seeing his emerald eyes darken slightly. "Pretty Boy—"

“I’m sure Florida has the best of the best…” Kevin interrupted, biting down hard on his inner cheek. It was such a heavy blow to his pride, knowing he couldn’t succeed in getting his wife pregnant. He just wanted a child so badly.

"Do you think we're trying too hard?" Austin murmured after a moment, lowering her head to his chest. When his arms tightened around her and she heard the steadiness of his heartbeat accompanied by the wash of waves against the sand, she felt comforted, closing her eyes.

“I think we’re stressing ourselves out by worrying about it so much. And I know your moods are mostly my fault, because I’m putting my frustrations on you.”

"I just want to give you a child, Kevin… That's my biggest wish, because I know how happy it'll make you," she admitted, curling her fingers in his t-shirt.

“It’s probably my fault we’re not getting pregnant,” Kevin chuckled ruefully, tilting to kiss her forehead. “Used up all my good swimmers in those condoms you insisted I wear.”

"Oh please," she muttered, sitting up to look him in the eye. "When did I ever insist you wear a condom?"

“Well, damnit, you have to take some blame somewhere!”

"Well maybe your engorged penis broke all my eggs!"

“Maybe your eggs aren’t woman enough to handle my engorged penis!”

"Not woman enough?! You piss—" Austin cut off, shaking her head with a sigh. "Why can't we ever have a rational conversation without bitching at each other?"

“Because what kind of fun would that be? Just rationally conversing…”

"True… Ain't like we've ever rationally conversed before…"

“Then why start now?”

"Because when you get that irritated fire in your eyes it turns me on, and somehow I don't think the old fogies on that deck up there want to see me and you having sex on the beach…"

“Who cares about the old birds, I ain’t getting any younger, Princess.”

"Something tells me you'll be singing a different tune when one of those crabs starts pinching your extremities," Austin teased, leaning down to kiss him gently.

“We can always try…” Kevin enticed, turning to roll her back into the wet sand so he could be dominant in his kisses, nipping favorably at her lips.

"You'll help me scrub the sand out when we get back to the hotel?" Austin requested, slowly peeling his wet t-shirt upwards.

“We’ll work together,” Kevin promised eagerly, reaching to untie the strings of her bikini.

Smirking, Austin arched against him, ducking her head to trail her lips over his chest. Shivering in delight when his mouth found her nipple, she slid her hands down his back, drawing him closer.

“I love you, Princess,” Kevin murmured softly as his tongue circled around her nipple, his hands moving to unbutton her wet shorts to pull them down her legs. He smiled when he felt her shiver again, releasing a hard moan. Releasing the nipple for a moment, he trailed his kisses to the underside of her breast before crossing the valley between her breasts to seek out the other.

"I love you," Austin returned in a whisper, sliding one hand through his hair. Tugging gently, she lifted his head for a tantalizing kiss, rubbing her heel against his calf as she reached to unbutton his denim shorts. Releasing a whimper of frustration, she tugged impatiently on the button.

“Do you need help before you break a nail?” Kevin murmured inside her mouth, nipping her tongue when she growled, actually popping the buttons to his fly.

"Not now," she assured him, pulling his bottom lip between her teeth as she pushed the shorts down his legs. "When the Hell did you stop wearing boxers?" she questioned in disbelief when she felt the heat of his bare backside.

“I wore my last pair the other day, Momma D promised to wash my clothes for me…”

"Just because I turned your favorite white shirt pink one time, I'm forever banished from washing your clothes, huh?" Austin teased, her fingers tracing his hips before finally grasping him gently.

“Holy Hell, Princess,” Kevin whined, the breath being pulled from his lungs like a vacuum as the blood rushed to his already erect member. Even after five months of marriage, he responded to her like no other. His mind whirled with the passion accumulating in his body, the cold waves beneath them doing nothing to assuage the heat, but merely create a zealous steam.

"Hmm?" Smoothing her fingers down his length, Austin smiled when she felt his reaction to her touches. Knowing she could cause such torture sent a thrill down her spine as she eagerly stroked him, rolling him to his back so she could have better access to her favorite toy.

“Two can play at that game,” Kevin warned with a shudder of anticipation, tangling his hands within her dark locks as if that would stabilize him.

"You want me to stop?" she questioned coyly, pausing in her ministrations to nibble at his earlobe.

“Hell no!”

Dragging her tongue over his throat, Austin nipped lightly at his moist skin, slowly kissing her way down his chest. His fingers tightened in her hair, and when she reached the tattoo on his hipbone she traced it with her lips before turning to offer him an intimate kiss.

“Oh…God…” Kevin moaned quiet loudly as he arched with disbelief, feeling her teeth trace down the length of his shaft, causing him to shudder with sheer anticipation.

"I've missed this," Austin admitted softly against him, gasping softly when she felt Kevin's hands tighten their hold on her hair. Sliding one hand over his stomach, she dug her fingers lightly in his skin as she tasted and nibbled him. Loving the fact she made him tremble. Lifting her head slightly, she slowly licked her lips, felt him shudder again as she gently moved her hand over his manhood.

“Me too,” Kevin actually whimpered in disbelief, reaching to cup her face in his hands, bringing her up for a gentle kiss.

Smiling against his lips, Austin slid her hands to his shoulders, lightly rubbing the tenseness there as he easily flipped her to her back. When she felt the tip of him pressing against her she shivered in anticipation, eagerly spreading her legs to grant him better access. Kevin lifted his head, gazing down at her with a fiery intent in his eyes, and she knew that, in the back of his mind, he was hoping the same as she.

*~*~*


Glancing over at Cheyanne after getting into his car, Howie squeezed her hand. She was nervously glancing at her cell phone, as though silently willing it to ring and be his mother, who was taking care of Olivia for the evening. They hadn't heard from his parents all evening, and Cheyanne kept checking her phone for a signal. "Why don't you call Momma and Dad and check on Cinnamon?" he suggested softly, pulling away from the curb. Checking the time, he smiled to himself, realizing they were finished with dinner earlier than anticipated. Which left plenty of time to reveal his surprise.

“You’re going to think I’m overly protective or crazy or something…” Cheyanne mumbled as she played with the antenna of her cell phone, making sure to avoid all eye contact with Howie. It wasn’t that she didn’t appreciate having dinner alone with him. She loved when they were able to get away and float merrily within their own romantic fantasy, but Olivia had been so upset that she was leaving. It was a natural part of a toddler’s growth, but it hurt her. She always had Olivia near. Groaning, Cheyanne slumped in her seat. “God, I am overprotective and a nagging mother hen…”

"No you're not, Honey," Howie assured her as he weaved through traffic. "If you weren't worried about her, I would be a little upset. After all, you've never left her before." It had nearly killed him to see Olivia clinging to her mother, knowing that nothing he could have said to either of them would have lessened the stress. Lightly rubbing the back of her hand with his thumb, he gave her a quick sideways glance. "I love that you're overprotective of her," he murmured, merging into the line of traffic leading to the highway.

“But you’re not exactly jumping for joy when she begs to snuggle with me at night…” Cheyanne trailed softly as she shook her head, tossing her cell phone onto the dashboard. Olivia was safe with her grandparents for the night. Hoke and Paula absolutely adored the little girl. She was probably having quite a pleasant evening and would probably be even more ecstatic when her mother returned and took her to the big bed for the night.

"True… But I do jump for joy when she lets me take her back to her bed…" Lifting her hand to his lips, Howie lightly kissed her fingers. "So it's alright if we take a little drive?"

“Yeah, we can take a little drive,” Cheyanne encouraged as she finally glanced toward her fiancé with a warm smile. Her body tingled softly from the kisses he planted to her fingers, causing her smile to widen to a grin. She adored how he was so attentive to the tiniest of details, especially when it came to lavishing affection upon her. “Tonight is about us, right? I have to concentrate on my Sweet Tea.”

Grinning, Howie set the cruise control, shifting his leg slightly. "So if I said look into the glove compartment and put on the blindfold you wouldn't think I was a complete weirdo?" he questioned, nibbling gently on her fingertips.

Cheyanne’s sapphire eyes widened in surprise at the request. “What kind of kinky…”

"It's a surprise, Honey… But it's not that kind of surprise…"

“Too bad…” Cheyanne trailed innocently as she pulled her hand away from his, reaching into the glove compartment to pull out the black satin blindfold.

"Well, if you want, we can keep the blindfold for later on?" he suggested playfully.

“I think you’d have too much fun,” Cheyanne laughed as she did as he previously requested, sliding the satin blindfold over her eyes and securing it behind her golden ringlets with a knot.

"I could wear it…"

“Howie…” Cheyanne gasped softly as she moistened her bottom lip with honest surprise.

"You wouldn't tie me up and then leave me naked and wanting on the bed, would you?" Howie questioned, once again pulling her hand to his lips for a kiss, this time allowing his tongue to flicker over her skin.

“No,” Cheyanne promised, biting down hard on her bottom lip from the excited tingles racing down her spine as well as to fight the impish grin starting to appear. “…Not for too long…”

"You'd just take pictures of me and sell them on ebay…" Howie trailed with a chuckle, tapping the break lightly to take the next exit. "Have I told you tonight how amazingly beautiful you are, what a wonderful mother I think you are to Cinnamon, and how much I love you?"

“I’d pleasure you after the pictures,” Cheyanne promised as she brushed her thumb over his lips with a gentle smile. “…But no, you haven’t told me those things, but thank you…”

"I distinctly remember saying over dessert how much I'm looking forward to spending the rest of my life with you…"

“But I said it first?”

"Well, at the time you had a mouthful of that chocolate pie…"

“But it was French silk!”

"And I must say how much I appreciated you letting me get that one little taste when you skipped off to the rest room…"

“You’re welcome.”

"You're certain you can't see anything, right?" he questioned suddenly, making one final turn onto a secluded street.

“Why? Are you flirting with a girl in the next car or something?”

"No… I just want to make sure," Howie informed her with a chuckle, easing the car into the cul-de-sac and parking. Taking a deep breath, he cut off the engine.

“Okay… I can’t see a dad’burn thing… So now what?”

"Now you just sit there for a minute while I get out," Howie chuckled, climbing out of the car. Walking around, he opened her door, his heart tripping nervously as he reached for her hand. Helping her onto the sidewalk, he aimed her in the direction the ocean breeze was wafting from, his hands light on her shoulders. "Walk forward," he whispered softly in her ear.

“Howie, I ain’t so sure about this. I’m not exactly graceful when I’m sighted, so I don’t want to see myself without sight. Not that I could see myself to begin with ‘cause I’m blind but--” Cheyanne yelped as she felt Howie push against her backside to get her moving. “Okay! I’ll walk forward!”

Guiding her up the paved walkway, Howie caught her shoulders again, stopping her at the bottom of the steps. Biting his lip, he reached to untie the blindfold, slowly dragging it away from her eyes. "I intended this to be a wedding present, but I couldn't wait…" he trailed softly, holding his breath as he awaited her reaction.

Cheyanne blinked rapidly as she reached to rub her eyes to make the adjustment to her surroundings. Only, she wasn’t prepared for what lay before her. Howie had taken her to the threshold of a lovely Greek styled mansion that seemed to extend for miles. Lovely balconies graced the upper stories and layered gardens of beautiful flowers tracing the pathways. She could feel the cool ocean spray blowing and the churning of the waves out back, causing her to smile with disbelief. It looked as if she could step into the house and get lost for days without any chance of finding her lover. “…Whose house is this?”

"Ours… Actually, your name is on the deed, Honey. It's completely yours…" Howie rubbed her shoulders gently, kissing the top of her head. "Do you like it?"

“Like it?” Cheyanne was floored as she stepped back in order to get a better view of the spacious area. This house was the only house for miles, giving her complete privacy. Not to mention the beautiful silence except for the ocean waves, which she had been fearful of leaving since she had lived in the country all her life. She was overwhelmed. “You’re sure… I mean, this is mine? This huge… Tea, we were just going to live in your house. I liked that a lot…”

"Well… If you look over to the left, you'll see plenty of room on the lot to build a guest house…" Howie trailed. "Which starts construction during our honeymoon…"

“A guest house?” Cheyanne repeated, shaking her head in disbelief. “Howie…”

"What? What's wrong?"

“This is honestly for me?”

"Only if you truly want it."

“Tea…” Cheyanne whispered softly as she turned away from the house to glance into her fiancé’s dark eyes. “Do you really want to move here? From your old house?”

Nodding, Howie cupped her face in his hands. "I wanted a place where you would feel safe, Honey. A place that's quiet and peaceful and all yours. Somewhere we can spend the rest of our lives together. Cinnamon's going to have some brothers and sisters one day, and they'll need lots of room to grow… But most importantly, I wanted a house built for a princess, because you're the princess in my life."

“I don’t know what I ever did to deserve someone like you,” Cheyanne whispered as she threw her arms around Howie’s neck, burying a soft squeal within the crook before nibbling affectionately. “It’s so beautiful, Tea! And so quiet! And… You picked it out for me… Which makes it even more special… Oh, thank you!”

"Here," he whispered, catching her hand in his. Pressing the key into her palm, he rained kisses along her cheek. "Seeing as how it's yours, you should open the door…"

“I can’t believe you bought me a house,” Cheyanne groaned with a laugh as she kissed his cheek before offering a fiercely thankful kiss to his lips. “Have I mentioned how much I love you?”

"Not in the past five minutes… But I know," Howie assured her, returning her kiss before letting her pull away.

“Tea,” Cheyanne chided with a small smile, hurriedly climbing the stairs to the front door. Sliding it into the lock, Cheyanne turned the key and reached for the doorknob. Pushing upon the grand door, she gasped in disbelief as she stepped inside and Howie turned on the lights. Howie had been working for months to make sure it was perfection for the first time she stepped inside. The home was already completely furnished in delicate creams with accents of light blues, light greens, and light lavenders. Her belongings were even tucked away and unpacked. “Oh, Howie…”

"I had help… Badonkadonk and Kev make pretty good co-conspirators, y'know," Howie informed, unable to hold back the pleased grin. "Come on, I'll give you the grand tour," he insisted, reaching for her hand.

“Is the grand tour going to end in the furnished master bedroom?” Cheyanne suggested hopefully as she took his hand with both of hers, allowing him to lead her into the living room.

"Actually, that room hasn't been furnished yet…" Howie trailed with a sigh, glancing quickly to gauge her reaction.

“Oh…” Cheyanne answered softly, biting down on her bottom lip. “Why’s that?”

"I can't find a bed comfortable enough… Do you honestly think I'd bring you here without a fully furnished master bedroom?" he teased, pulling her into his arms. "In fact… What do you say to letting the tour wait 'till after the bedroom?" he suggested.

“Well, I didn’t know! Hell, I didn’t even know you bought a house and fully furnished it until now!” Cheyanne squealed softly with surprise, wrapping her arms around his neck to keep herself stable as he rushed up the grand staircase.

"You'll have your own sitting room off the bedroom," Howie murmured in her ear as he carried her into the bedroom. "Complete with a mini fridge for Pepsi and ice, so you can snuggle on a little couch with Cinnamon," he added softly, pushing the door shut. Setting her down gently on the plush carpet, he glanced to make sure Kevin and Austin had been by to fulfill his request. Sure enough, there were several dozen lavender roses around the room, complete with lit candles flickering in the soft breeze coming from the open French doors. The doors led to a small balcony overlooking the ocean, and Howie smiled when he saw they had turned down the bedcovers. "Surprise…"

“Oh my Lord…” Cheyanne breathed in sheer disbelief, clasping her hands to her heart, convinced that it was about to leap from her chest. Her sapphire eyes were misty with unshed tears as she turned to wrap her arms around Howie’s waist. “What am I going to do with you, Tea? It’s so beautiful… I don’t deserve this…”

"Yes you do," Howie promised, kissing the top of her head softly. "You deserve this, and so much more… I only want to make you happy, Honey—"

“I’m already happy, Tea. I have you,” Cheyanne interrupted quietly.

"Well, come to bed with me and I'll show you how happy you make me," he whispered, his hands moving in slow circles on her back.

“I would love to,” Cheyanne promised as she leaned up to kiss him softly on the corner of his mouth. Slowly, she brought her kisses toward the center of his lips, teasingly nibbling affectionately.

Drawing her closer, Howie moved to the bed, his lips never leaving hers as he slowly began to unbutton her blouse. Sliding his fingers across her bare stomach, he jerked away when her cell phone began ringing. "If that's Austin…" he trailed with a sigh.

“It could be Dad and Momma about Cinnamon,” Cheyanne objected, reaching hurriedly into her back pocket to withdraw her slim cell phone to see who was calling.

Glancing down, Howie raised a brow when he saw his parents' number flashing on the ID. "I hope nothing's wrong…" he breathed, all sorts of horrible accidents flashing through his mind.

“Don’t even start with that mess,” Cheyanne chided as she flipped open the phone, sitting on the edge of the bed. “Hello?”

"Howard's going to kill me," Paula stated immediately. "And I am sorry for disturbing your date, but someone wanted to say good night…"

Sitting next to Cheyanne, Howie heard his mother's words. "Cinnamon's not in bed yet?!"

“Apparently not,” Cheyanne answered with a soft laugh, cupping a hand over Howie’s mouth to silence him. “It could just be your father wanting to say good night, too, y’know?”

Howie rolled his eyes, contenting himself with blowing a raspberry on Cheyanne's palm.

Paula laughed softly. "No, not Hoke—"

"Mama!" Olivia cooed in the background. "Mama ni-night!"

“That’s my favorite baby girl,” Cheyanne cooed in return as the phone was shuffled momentarily. “You have sweet dreams, Cinnamon Sweetness. Momma will see you when I get home, okay? I’ll cuddle you extra.”

"Otay. 'Iss Daddy, Mama! 'Ove you!" Olivia squealed happily, apparently no more desirous of going to bed than she had been when she woke up that morning.

“I love you too, Cinnamon,” Cheyanne promised with another laugh as the phone call ended and the other line hung up. She knew she’d be having quite a sleepy baby that next morning to snuggle with. Reaching to silence her phone and place it off to the side of the nightstand, she glanced back to her fiancé with a rueful smile. “Cinnamon said that I should kiss you and she’s going straight off to bed immediately!”

"Right, she's going to bed… Momma and Dad probably have her so wound up she won't sleep for the next week," Howie murmured with a chuckle, pulling her close. "But at least we know she's okay?"

“She is more than okay… She is deliriously happy,” Cheyanne laughed, shaking her head with amusement.

"Speaking of deliriously happy…" Howie trailed with a smile, cupping her cheek in his hand. "I believe I was about to show you how happy you make me?"

“Oh…” Cheyanne trailed with an adorable innocence as she undid the remaining buttons from her blouse, allowing it to slip off her shoulders. “So that’s why my shirt was half unbuttoned…”
The Nightmare of Normalcy by Anastacia
Chapter 4 – The Nightmare of Normalcy

“Mama! Me p’wetty?” Olivia questioned curiously as she sat perched in the salon chair, gazing at her mother’s reflection through the elegant mirror before her. Howie had insisted that Cheyanne and Austin take the afternoon to travel to an expensive beauty salon to select the perfect hairstyles for the wedding. Cheyanne had yet to seat herself in the chair, more content on watching Austin’s procedure. She had decided that all the girls could pick out an individual upswept style to match their bridesmaids gowns. It would show the uniqueness that varied with all of the women. And, Olivia had wanted the same treatment. So, one of the beauticians simply loitering around for the fact of celebrities, had started on Olivia’s growing honey curls.

“You are the prettiest little girl ever, Olivia Austin,” Cheyanne promised as she moved to stand between the two styling chairs, reaching to rub her daughter’s cheek.

"Absolutely gorgeous," Austin added with a smile, looking over as the stylist began dragging a comb through her hair. She had opted to get a few highlights streaked through her dark locks, deciding it was beyond time for a change in her hair. "When we leave here, we have to drop by the Estee Lauder place to get your makeup done, Ollie."

"Maked up?" Olivia questioned in confusion, wrinkling her nose at the idea. "Me want lip gwoss, Mama!"

“That’s my girl,” Cheyanne answered with a triumphant grin, bending down to kiss her daughter.

"Can't I frilly my goddaughter up once in a while?" Austin requested with a sigh. "Just this once? Get her hair done nice, put her in a little ruffled dress, dab on some lipstick and powder and watch Bay go nuts?"

"No!" Olivia cried, shaking her head. "No 'rilly!"

“Cinnamon Sweetness doesn’t need to get frilly to see Darlin’ go nuts. She’s beautiful like that and she already wanted her hair done nice. And a little lip gloss, she’ll be down-right adorable,” Cheyanne chided, unable to help her grin from widening with sheer triumph over the situation. She had feared her daughter would be extremely feminine and grow up resenting her for not being able to help. This gave her hope.

The beautician that patiently worked on Olivia's hair giggled softly. "She's really beautiful… Have you considered entering her in one of the local pageants—"

"Hell no!" Austin interrupted immediately.

The beautician looked confused. “You just said--”

“Cinnamon Sweetness has enough of a fan base,” Cheyanne interrupted, motioning toward the elegant windows that contained dozens of eager photographers.

"Dey's 'cary, Olivia whispered to her mother, sending a pout to the photographers.

"Want me to tell Drewie to scare them away?" Austin questioned, already reaching for her cell phone. "He's right down the street with Pappy and Daddy—"

"Dewie, Mama?"

“If that’s what you want, Cinnamon,” Cheyanne agreed, crouching down in front of her daughter to kiss her hand as Austin made the appropriate phone call. The paparazzi was absolutely ridiculous, especially as the wedding continued to near. And, if her daughter was fearful, Cheyanne would do anything to protect her.

"Thanks, Drewie… Just don't let it slip to the boys, got it? Otherwise they'll be running down the street in their boxers or something…" Austin laughed at Drew's reply before hanging up. "Drewie will be getting rid of them in a couple of minutes, Ollie-Oil," she promised.

"Dank you," Olivia cooed.

“WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?! CAN’T LET A WOMAN GO INTO A BEAUTY PARLOR WITHOUT YOU VULTURES SCRAPING AROUND FOR DEAD MEAT? GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!” Nick’s voice suddenly bellowed from the throng of photographers, followed by a yanking open of the door. “GO! SHOO! BEFORE I CALL REINFORCEMENTS AND MAKE NSYNC MAKE A REAPPEARENCE IN THE MUSIC BUSINESS!”

Startled, Olivia jumped at the angry roar coming from Nick, shrinking towards her mother as the door slammed shut. However, the moment she saw Nick saunter into the salon, she visibly relaxed. "ZOOM!"

Glancing out the window, Nick noted with satisfaction that all the paparazzi had dispersed. Seeing Drew, he waved before turning to look at the women. "What kind of fucking moron sends my three favorite women out alone with those pissfucks creeping around?!" he questioned bitterly before swooping forward to shower Olivia's cheeks with kisses. "How's the world's cutest Zombie?"

“D’ood! My Zoom!” Olivia squealed with excitement, bursting out of her style chair so she could leap into Nick’s awaiting arms.

Three favorite women? What the Hell do you want, Carter?” Austin growled with contempt.

"Who said I was talking about you?" Nick returned with a snort. "How you doing, Sandy?" he asked the beautician who reached to finish Olivia's curls.

"Just fine, Nick," the woman cooed.

"Fucking figures," Austin grumbled under her breath, snatching her latest knitting magazine from her bag.

“Austi…” Cheyanne trailed softly, biting down hard on her bottom lip, not wanting anyone to be upset.

“You do realize he probably fucks her every Tuesday, Chey-Chey,” Austin breathed.

As Cheyanne slipped away to get into the chair vacated by Olivia, Nick leaned over, his mouth close to Austin's ear. "Every Wednesday," he corrected in a whisper. "Not that it's any of your fucking business."

“No, not really, but I think it should be your business to know that she’s been taking Penicillin regularly and not for some sniffles. So get your hands off my goddaughter before you infect her, you fucking bastard,” Austin threatened, reaching to take Olivia into her lap, far away from Nick’s hold.

"Zoom?" Olivia questioned, reaching for him.

"I'll get you in a few, Zombie, I need to talk to your Momma for a few," Nick explained, shooting Austin a loathsome glare before turning to Cheyanne. "So, Sweetheart… I was thinking about our boat trip earlier…"

“You’re going to take me out again? I really hope it’s for a longer time,” Sandy suggested with a seductive smile as she ripped the clip from Cheyanne’s locks, causing her honey ringlets to spill over her shoulders. “And that you bring a little more sunblock this time… Those burns were awful for a thong bikini.”

"Oh… Sandy, babe… Chey and I are planning on going out when she gets back from her honeymoon—"

"What?" Austin questioned immediately, snapping her head up so fast the stylist behind her cringed. "You're planning to what?!"

“Seems like you’d have a lot more fun with Sandy,” Cheyanne suggested, yelping softly when the beautician yanked hard on her curls with a comb, actually pulling several strands of hair from their beds. “Can I get a new stylist?! Holy Hell! It’s not like I even wanted to come here in the first place!”

"You're going to break my heart like that?" Nick whined softly, leaning against the counter. "Besides, me and Sandy are just old friends, not like anything risqué happens when we go out. Right, Sandy?" he questioned, shooting the beautician a warning glance.

"…Right. Sorry," Sandy murmured to Cheyanne. "Upswept?" she checked, sending Nick a jealous glare.

"Nothing risqué my ass," Austin muttered. "Probably had her ass in the air while she was sucking on his—"

"Dryer!" the stylist combing Austin's hair barked suddenly.

“Actually, I don’t know what I want and I’d rather you leave my hair alone, please,” Cheyanne suggested softly, slipping out of the stylist chair. She tenderly held her head where the strands had been yanked, knowing she’d be furious if her fingertips were dabbed with blood. Shaking her head, she reached to take Olivia from her godmother’s lap. “I’ll just wear my hair down.”

"Chey…" Austin trailed with a sigh, her mouth moving as the stylist began drying her hair. The look she shot Nick told him to go straight to Hell.

Sandy paled slightly at Cheyanne's reaction. "I didn't mean—"

"I'll call you," Nick promised her softly before following Cheyanne to the row of comfortable chairs in front of the windows. "You okay?" he questioned, gingerly touching the back of her head. "Look, about Sandy, we—"

“I’d really rather not talk about it,” Cheyanne interrupted as she reached to grasp Nick’s hand, pulling it from the back of her head. She really wasn’t in the mood. She was supposed to be enjoying the day, because it was supposed to be about her. Yet, Nick had seemed to shift everything and her beautician had turned violent. It was ridiculous.

"But—"

"Dewie, Mama!" Olivia squealed, standing up to slap at the glass. "Dewie 'ere!"

“Olivia Austin, no banging on the glass,” Cheyanne chided, reaching to pull her daughter from the glass, setting her to the floor as the door opened. “There, you can go get Dewie.”

"Sweetheart…" Nick trailed, watching Olivia toddle to greet Drew. Though, when she saw who was behind him her face broke into a grin and she quickly dived between the bodyguard's legs.

"Daddy!"

"Oh Hell," Nick muttered, sitting up straighter. "Have you talked to him about our boat trip?"

“I told him about it,” Cheyanne answered as she watched Kevin fuss over Olivia for a few moments before going to Austin, who would obviously give him the entire story of their day at the beauty salon. Cheyanne tried not to make a face as she fiddled with her engagement ring. “But, like I said, Sandy and you should go.”

"I don't want to take Sandy—"

"Who's Sandy?" Howie interrupted as he stepped over, holding Olivia close.

“The stylist that did Cinnamon’s hair,” Cheyanne answered, standing to kiss his cheek affectionately.

"Me p'wetty?" Olivia asked her father, grinning from ear to ear.

"You're beyond pretty, Cinnamon Bun," Howie assured her, kissing Cheyanne's cheek.

"That little fucker!" Kevin exploded.

"What the Hell's going on?" Howie asked in confusion, looking from Cheyanne to Nick for an explanation.

"Lil' fu—fu—" Olivia's lips puckered into a small pout when Howie shushed her.

“Nothing’s going on,” Cheyanne answered with a shrug of her shoulders, sending Olivia a censuring look that told her that word was inappropriate. “I’m just waiting for Austi to finish up.”

"We're just planning our boating trip," Nick supplied casually. "Things were going great until Austin decided to be a bi—drag," he muttered.

“So, you’re really going?” Howie questioned Cheyanne, trying to hold back a frown.

“I never said… I mean…” Cheyanne shrugged helplessly. “Sandy would be better company than me.”

"But I don't want Sandy… Look, we can talk about this later, right? I have to run get my new suit for the wedding—"

"Nick bye?" Olivia pouted, resting her head on Howie's shoulder.

“Damn right he’s going bye!” Kevin growled.

*~*~*


"A howdy rowdy cheer for couples' night!" Austin screeched from the back seat of Howie's convertible as he weaved through the traffic on the way to his nightclub. Standing up, she whooped with laughter as the wind knocked her into Kevin's lap. Grinning from ear to ear, she wrapped her arms around his neck, offering him the softest of kisses.

"Badonkadonk! You're going to kill yourself if you keep that up!" Howie admonished, shooting a quick glare over his shoulder. "I swear, the woman has a death wish!"

“More like she wants to give me a series of large heart attacks,” Kevin growled playfully toward his wife, winding his arms around her waist to keep her firmly planted. Nipping her bottom lip as warning, he leaned back to enjoy the refreshing ocean misted spray that seemed to circulate throughout Orlando, Florida. He had missed being here almost as much as he had missed Kentucky and was thrilled with Howie’s suggestion to show the girls his club Tabu. Mostly, it got Cheyanne’s mind away from Nick, who seemed to be plaguing her since she arrived in Florida.

Reaching for Cheyanne's hand, Howie gave it a gentle squeeze. "Why so quiet, Honey?" he questioned, hitting the brakes so he could turn into the private parking lot. As Austin and Kevin clamored over the door in their haste to get into the club, Howie glanced over at Cheyanne, reaching to put up the roof.

“Weren’t you the one that first said it’s hard to get a word in edgewise with all the goofs flittering around us?” Cheyanne answered, passing him what she hoped was a secure smile. Bringing his hand to her lips for a quick kiss, she reached for the handle to open the passenger door.

"So I could have floored it back there and let Badonkadonk fly onto the pavement and you wouldn't have noticed?" Howie teased, getting out. Walking around, he reached for her hand when she opened the door. "Though Kev might have killed me…"

“I don’t think I’d want you maimed in any way, especially before the wedding,” Cheyanne retorted as she wrapped her arms around his waist for an affectionate squeeze. She hadn’t meant to be so quiet on the car ride, but Austin was overzealous. It never took much for her to get overshadowed by her best friend. Not that she minded it. “I love you, Tea.”

"I love you too." As they headed for the back entrance to the club, Howie twined his fingers with hers. "And don't worry about the two goofs. I already gave strict orders that all their drinks will be watered down. The last thing we need is a drunken sex show on the bar…" he trailed with a grin as his friend paused to tug on Austin's skirt.

“I don’t think it matters. Drunken or sober, there’s still probably going to be a sex show on the bar,” Cheyanne reminded as she watched Austin slip her hand into Kevin’s front pocket. Cheyanne didn’t even need to know what Austin was searching for as she blushed at the mere thought. Her friend had been convinced to make a statement when arriving in Howie’s club. A short leather skirt, high leather boots, and a sheer top seemed to do the trick. No city man was ready for what Austin brought.

"Think we could get good money for the security tape?"

"I heard that!" Austin pouted, nuzzling Kevin's neck. "Ain't going to be no sex shows on the bar, not unless you and Chey-Chey get drunk—"

“Oh… That’s right, they have to conserve Kevvy’s sperm!” Cheyanne breathed with an innocent air of realization.

"And we can't get drunk, either… Seeing as how when I do, my eggs tend to go in hiding…" Austin trailed with a smirk.

"Do we really need to discuss sperm and eggs now?" Howie breathed in disbelief.

"Nah… We can always wait 'till later and discuss them at the wedding," Kevin offered with a chuckle, ushering his wife inside.

“You two partying sober seems like a horror flick…” Cheyanne trailed.

"But we two partying sober leaves the door open for you and City Boy to get as drunk as you want," Austin informed with a giggle, glancing around the club. Nodding her head in silent approval of the décor. "Holy Hell, City Boy! This place is fuckin' fancy!"

“Glad to see you’ve done a brilliant job with culturing-her-up, Kev,” Howie mused as he glanced around his club, always proud whenever he stepped into the nightclub. He had transformed the old theatre into a dancing success. It was always well populated with a variety of customers. Vibrant and colorful. One of Howie’s many successes.

"He's tried… But that Italian opera we went to? I swear, I couldn't wait for the fat lady to sing. Whoooo! I love this song!" Austin declared, grabbing Kevin's hand to drag him to the dance floor.

"I swear, she's the poster child for ADD," Howie murmured in Cheyanne's ear as Kevin yelped in surprise. "Want to dance, Honey?"

“Um… Yeah, if you want to,” Cheyanne agreed with a soft nod, knowing this was one of their last nights out as a simple couple.

Leading her towards the dance floor, Howie pulled her to him, cradling her close as he began to move. "I suppose tomorrow night I'll be sleeping all alone?" he questioned softly. "Seeing as how Momma and Badonkadonk think it will be bad luck if I see you the day of our wedding…"

“I think Momma’s even kicking you out of the house,” Cheyanne confirmed with a small smile, hooking her arms around his neck as she followed his movements like a mirror. It was quite surreal that her wedding was just two days away. Everyone had been planning and scheming about this day and now it had finally arrived. Cheyanne didn’t know whether to be relieved, excited, or frightened. “But you don’t have to sleep alone. I’m sure Kevvy and Austi would love to have you curled up between them.”

"If it's alright with you, I'll take my chances with Moth… I saw the infamous tape." Howie shuddered. "Besides, Austin might try to steal my sperm—"

“You wouldn’t give it over willingly?” Cheyanne interrupted with wide eyed wonder.

"You're the only woman I want to give my sperm to, Honey…"

Cheyanne wrinkled her nose with distaste. “That’s so morbidly sweet, Tea…”

"I thought so too," Howie teased, lurching when he felt a hand clap down on his shoulder.

"Does the Daddy get a chance to dance with Angel tonight?" Kevin questioned over the music.

“After the conversation we just had… I think it might be quite the safe alternative,” Cheyanne mused, though Howie didn’t look as if he wanted to oblige his friend. “Tea…”

"Just so he's not issuing invitations for you to sleep between them," Howie murmured, leaning in for a quick kiss before Austin grabbed his hand.

“Like that hasn’t happened before,” Cheyanne answered with a playful roll of her eyes, hopping onto her tip toes in order to peer over Kevin’s shoulder. She could help but grin as she watched Howie fight momentarily to keep his hands off Austin’s hips only to be jumped on for a rowdy dance number. He looked so adorable – wide eyed and horrified.

"I do get the official Daddy and daughter dance at the wedding, don't I?" Kevin requested, glancing over his shoulder to see Austin grinding against Howie to the tune of the song playing. "She will be wearing a dress that will prohibit that kind of dancing at the reception, won't it?"

"Loosen up, City Boy!" Austin hollered.

“I’m really hoping her dress’ll do just that,” Cheyanne agreed as she bit on her bottom lip, knowing that it took a very special kind of relationship between women to grind upon each other’s lovers. “And, I was hoping you’d want the father and daughter dance… Seeing as how I’m fatherless…”

"Does that mean I have to do the whole 'take care of my daughter' speech too? 'Cause I'd be more than willing to do that," Kevin assured her, smiling when a slow song began. "And I can always go get Dad's old shotgun…"

“Well, that would mean you have to walk me down the aisle, wouldn’t it?” Cheyanne answered as he gestured for her to come closer so he could take her in his arms. She had to smile as he held her gingerly, much like a father would during a slow song. So she kept her hands against his shoulders, just glancing up occasionally into his emerald eyes, knowing Austin had found the best of husbands.

"I thought that honor already belonged to Hoke?" Kevin questioned in confusion, offering a gentle smile as they barely swayed to the music. "Or is it going to take two men to wrangle you down the aisle?" he teased, glancing over to see Austin and Howie in deep conversation.

“Are you suggesting that I’m going to run?” Cheyanne returned with a small pout. “…And, Dad offered to walk me down the aisle if I didn’t want to walk by myself. But I don’t know if that would be proper, I guess? I just thought… I mean, you don’t have to--”

"Would you take a breath? I was teasing, Angel. After all, I'll be up front, trying to keep Howie from fainting or having a nervous breakdown. Come on," Kevin murmured, grabbing her hand in his. "It's hot as Hell out here and I need a Pepsi."

“Okay,” Cheyanne agreed, not having the opportunity to decline as Kevin tugged her through the population of dancers.

Howie watched Kevin disappear through the crowd with Cheyanne, his brow furrowing. "Do you think she got overheated?" he questioned, cutting into Austin's longwinded explanation of how Cheyanne needed rest before having more children. "Maybe I should go check on her—"

“Excuse me, I’m still talking to you!” Austin returned with her own interruption, yanking on Howie’s unbuttoned shirt. “Kevvykins is perfectly capable of taking care of Chey-Chey!”

"If you yank much harder, I'm going to be shirtless," Howie threatened with a scowl. "I'm sorry. You're right. Please, continue…"

“Like I was saying, Chey-Chey has much more to accomplish with her life than just you getting her barefoot and pregnant. She went to college for a reason and she wanted to be a nurse for a reason. Not to mention Ollie is the perfect little angel. Why would you possibly want more children after getting a little gem like my Ollie? She doesn’t need her mother’s attention divided away from her--”

"Are all only children this adamant against having more than one child? Besides, Honey has already told me she looks forward to having more children. And I love Cinnamon to death, you know that. But she needs a little brother or sister to terrorize," Howie stated calmly.

“I hardly see you just wanting one more,” Austin snorted. “And the only reason she told you she looks forward to having more children is to make you happy. After what happened with Ollie, why would you want to put her through that again? Honestly?”

"For your information, having the placental abruption only heightened Honey's risk for possible pregnancy related problems. Besides, she won't be romping around the country on a tour." Nor would she be doing God only knew what with Nick, Howie added silently. "And if we're going to dance, do you mind actually moving a little? It's like dancing with a post—"

“Actually, I think I’d rather get a drink and talk to Chey-Chey about serious forms of birth control.”

"BABY GIRL!"

"What the fuck is he doing here?!" Austin groaned through gritted teeth, glaring at Howie.

“I think he wants to dance with you,” Howie answered with a sneer of politeness, weaving toward the bar as AJ tackled Austin into a dance.

"Skinny! Watch the hair! Took me for-fucking-ever to get it just right!"

"What the fuck is he doing here?" Kevin growled when Howie joined him and Cheyanne at the bar.

"Dancing with your wife…" Howie trailed with a roll of his eyes, motioning for a soda. "Why so morose, Kev?"

“Because…” Kevin shook his head as he hurriedly finished his Pepsi, slipping a few bills toward the bartender to pay for his drink and Cheyanne’s drink. He then kissed the back of Cheyanne’s head, moving toward the dance floor while muttering choice expletives. AJ needed to stay far away from his wife. Permanently.

Shaking his head, Howie reached to slide his arm around Cheyanne's waist. "What do you say we head up to the VIP? It's quieter up there. At least, it will be until the goofs decide to join us…"

“What are we going to do up there?” Cheyanne questioned with honest curiosity as she hopped off the bar stool, reaching for her nonalcoholic strawberry daiquiri. Following Kevin’s path, she watched him yank away AJ, muttering what seemed to be death threats. He was always fiercely protective of Austin, who was grinning with adoration for her brute of a husband.

"Hey! No killing in my club!" Howie barked as he passed by, ignoring Austin's censuring glare. Leading Cheyanne up the steps to the VIP room, he nodded towards the security guard at the top, quickly glancing around to see only a handful of people lingering near the private bar. "Here we go," he murmured, motioning to his usual couch-lined table in the corner. "Need a refill?"

“I think I’ll be okay, besides, it’s nonalcoholic, which means filling up won’t exactly increase your chances of getting lucky,” Cheyanne teased softly, licking her bottom lip to catch the taste of her fruity drink.

"So I suppose my brilliant idea of suggesting I kick everyone out of here for privacy is shot now," Howie sighed ruefully.

“You might get lucky,” Cheyanne promised with a soft purr, caressing his hip before moving toward the empty table he had indicated. Knowing he was watching, Cheyanne coyly leaned over the table to set her drink down before slowly sliding over the leather seats to the back.

Howie was just about to step over to speak with the security guard when Kevin and Austin bounded up the stairs, slipping past Howie to flop onto the couch next to Cheyanne. Screwing up his face in irritation, he swore under his breath when he saw Nick and AJ right behind them. "What the Hell—"

"Somebody ought'a call B, make it an official party," AJ stated as he headed to get a bottled water from the bar.

"Hold up, I'll call him now—"

"Why not? This place could always use another asshole," Austin muttered bitterly as she sidled closer to Kevin. Her eyes were shooting daggers at Nick's back as he headed to the bar, and a second later she turned those eyes on Howie.

“What did I do now, Austin?” Howie growled, completely unraveled by the loud interruption. He had been perfectly content in finding alone time with Cheyanne. Lord knew that he couldn’t manage to have it between the families and his own daughter. Now his friends. Again. And for Nick to be around, again. How he managed to find them was beyond believable. Like he had some kind of Cheyanne radar. It was irritating to say the very least, especially as he continued to upset Cheyanne.

"Nothing," Austin sighed, seeing Kevin's glance. "I'm just going to sit here and enjoy this soda and have a marvelous time," she decided aloud with a delicate wave of her hand.

“Talk about a shotgun load of sarcasm,” Cheyanne breathed teasingly as she took a sip of her strawberry margarita, slipping deeper onto the leather couch. Was it a sin to wish for the honeymoon to arrive sooner than anticipated?

"The Cow said Brian's busy putting Baylee to bed for the night, but she'll give him the message," Nick announced as he took the couch opposite Kevin and Austin. "Which, I'm sure, means he won't hear it 'till tomorrow…"

"The Cow?" Austin repeated with a snort of laughter. "Did you just call Vivian 'The Cow'?"

“Well, have you watched the woman eat? She chews her food like some of the raggedy ass cows Jeff has on his farm,” Nick answered, demonstrating the slack jawed motion Vivian used. “Not to mention a few other character flaws…”

"She's a bitch, plain and simple. And yet you fawn all over her when she's around," Austin noted.

Sliding past, Howie settled next to Cheyanne as AJ dragged a chair over so he wouldn't have to sit next to Nick. "What are you guys doing here?" he asked, hoping to change the subject from Vivian.

"Viv's not a bitch," AJ told Austin as he sipped his water. "You're just jealous, 'cause she got the cute cousin—"

“Actually, I think Brian kind of looks like his Chihuahua mixed with a monkey,” Cheyanne interjected with a demure shrug of her shoulders, finishing her strawberry margarita as she slipped off a sandal, sneaking her toes inside Howie’s pant leg for a playful stroke.

"Are you having a bachelorette party?" AJ asked her suddenly, leaning back in his chair. "'Cause me and Kev have got major plans for D's bachelor party—"

“I’m not having a bachelorette party… But, I’d probably rather not know about Tea’s bachelor’s party. The more I don’t know, the better, okay?” Cheyanne compromised, trying not to wrinkle her nose in distaste. With AJ leading the festivities, Howie was sure to wind up in some dingy hotel with a hooker and a stripper.

"It's just the fellas sitting around with some beer and maybe a little porno—"

"You're going to watch a porno with the fellas, but you won't watch one with me?" Austin blurted, whipping around to look at Kevin.

“It’s different when you’re the fucking star, Princess,” Kevin warned, his cheeks actually tingeing pink. “And we’ll talk about it later. Much later. And if you need someone to watch a porno with, invite--”

“Vivie,” Cheyanne answered before her name could be given, running her finger along the edge of her glass. “Are you going to the bachelor’s party, Nick?”

"I don't know… Me and you could always go out on the boat and watch the sunset?" Nick offered, not having the nerve to announce he hadn't been invited to Howie's bachelor party.

“Will you let me drive?” Cheyanne questioned with an impish, yet timid smile.

"Promise not to drive us into a cruise liner?"

Austin rolled her eyes, snuggling close to Kevin as she sipped her soda. "If Chey's going off with Boohbah on his boat, I'm coming to Howie's bachelor party with you. Otherwise I'll be sitting at the hotel all alone with only my thoughts to entertain me…"

“And her pink bullet…” Cheyanne muttered.

"And I believe I packed that tape…" Austin trailed with a smirk, leaning up to kiss Kevin's cheek. "But, Hell, I suppose I could always call The Cow and we could find a male strip club—"

“Bullshit, Angel, you’re staying home with Princess! You have a daughter to take care of for Christ’s sakes!” Kevin exploded with a dark frown, not even wanting to think of the price of bail that would be set for Vivian and Austin. Especially when the cursed out to police officials and attempted to entice them.

"Momma can watch Cinnamon," Howie suggested gently. "I mean, if you really want to go out on Nick's boat, I'm sure Momma would love to spoil our daughter…"

"Tea..." Cheyanne trailed, knowing he probably wasn't comfortable with the situation.

"Boohbah, call Viv and see if she's up to a little male stripper action," Austin requested, ignoring Kevin's snort of protest.

“You call,” Nick snorted, tossing his phone toward Austin, having no desire to do her dirty work. Especially when she did everything in her power to ruin his relationship, whatever it was, with Cheyanne. Though, his thoughts turned as he glanced toward Cheyanne with excitement. He felt his heart actually flutter. “Are you really coming out on my boat then?”

“I… I guess?” Cheyanne trailed, moistening her bottom lip as she attempted to slide off the couch, wanting another drink. “I mean, if you want me there.”

"Of course I want you there… What're you drinking, I'll get it," Nick offered, already on his feet. Reaching for her empty glass, he gave it a sniff. "Strawberry daiquiri? Coming right up, Sweetheart…"

"Pretty Boy, if you don't let go of this phone right now, I'm bringing Skinny back to the hotel—"

“Nonalcoholic!” Cheyanne interrupted the potential fight spurring between husband and wife as AJ grinned wickedly and Howie pulled her down into his lap. “Lord knows I get drunk and table dance on a rum ball!”

"I'd pay to see that," Howie murmured in her ear as Austin finally wrenched the phone from Kevin's grasp. Glancing over at the couple, he rolled his eyes as Austin eagerly dialed the number, noticing her excited expression. "Maybe I should install a pole…"

"Vivie?" Austin cooed in a sugar-coated voice as she slid away from Kevin. "What do you say to a girls' night out at a strip joint?"

Cheyanne rolled her eyes as she settled her hands over Howie’s, which were wrapped around her trim waist. “You’re going to have plenty of strippers at your bachelor party and I’m sure they have their own portable pole or something--”

“No! Cheyanne ain’t going! Why does that change your decision, you cow?!” Austin suddenly screeched with a look of sheer annoyance.

"I'm not having any strippers," Howie insisted with a warning glance at Kevin and AJ. "I already told them no strippers—"

"Hey, Baby Girl, if Viv's dumping you, I'll take you out," AJ promised with a wicked grin.

"Damnit, AJ—"

“I should definitely be getting out of this joint…” Cheyanne gasped in shock as Kevin leapt across the couch, tackling AJ to the floor. She watched his hands go to the skinnier man’s neck and she launched herself from the couch, bumping into Nick. “Sorry!”

Nick stumbled slightly from the force, somehow maintaining a grip on the drinks he held. Stepping over AJ's chair, he set the drinks down. "Where are you going?" he asked as Austin hollered for AJ and Kevin to keep their noise down.

"Really?! You'll come? Hot damn! I'll call you tomorrow," Austin cooed before slapping Nick's phone shut. Handing it over, she glanced at Howie. "…I'll make Kevin play for any blood left on your carpet…"

“Thanks…” Howie muttered, listening to AJ squeal wildly for mercy.

“I think it’s safer to go dance downstairs,” Cheyanne attempted to explain as she mustered an apologetic smile.

"I think you're right…" Nick trailed, glancing over at Howie as he slid off the couch.

"Come on, Honey," Howie murmured, reaching for her hand.

"Get off me, you whore!" AJ gasped, finally succeeding in flipping Kevin to his back. Rubbing his aching neck, he scrambled to his feet. "Jesus Christ, you nearly broke my neck!"

"Would you two cut it out, please?" Austin hissed, pushing the phone into Nick's hand. Reaching for Kevin's hand to help him up, she fussed with his hair, shaking her head. "Are you going to physically attack every man that puts a move on me?"

Kevin grunted with exasperation, “Do you have a better suggestion?!”
Plagued by Anastacia
Chapter 5 – Plagued

“Hey you, Good Looking!” Cheyanne called out in surprise as she glanced up from her elaborate cross stitching to see Olivia come toddling by. Howie had offered to bathe and dress their daughter so Cheyanne could lounge downstairs with a few moments of peace and quiet. Hoke and Paula had given them the house today, the day before their wedding, so they could relax. Though, Cheyanne knew she wouldn’t be so lucky. The little girl had not a stitch of clothing on, except for her diaper. Her damp golden curls hung in tiny ringlets past her shoulders as her small pot belly protruded outward, rigorously scratching it like her stream of father figures. Tapping her tiny fingers on her puckered lips, she squealed when she heard her father calling out with a string of Spanish phrases. And Cheyanne grinned with amusement at the flustered look crossing her daughter’s beautiful face. “What’re you doing, Olivia Austin Dorough?”

"I'on'o," Olivia shrugged, reaching to fiddle with the tabs that held her diaper in place. Wriggling them just so, she squealed when her diaper fell to her knees, looking at her mother in wide-eyed wonder. "Nakie!" she screamed before racing from the room.

"OLIVIA AUSTIN DOROUGH!" Howie bellowed from the bathroom.

“You’re free! You’re free!” Cheyanne giggled with a hysterical squeal of laughter, falling back against the couch as she cupped her hands against her mouth to muffle the sound.

"Fwee!" Olivia repeated, her bare feet slapping against the hardwood floor of the hallway. Stopping, she looked around, her eyes widening when she saw her father storm from the bathroom. His shirt was soaking wet, streaked with powder, and, despite her attempts to clean it off him with a diaper wipe, splattered with baby lotion. "Ut oh," she breathed in horror, quickly turning to race in the opposite direction.

"GET BACK HERE!"

“Mama! Mama! Mama! Mama!” Olivia shrieked in a chant as she hurried back to where she had last saw her mother. If life had taught her anything, again, by the grace of her father figures, she knew that her mother would always rescue her. Hearing her father’s impatient, lumbering footsteps, Olivia increased her speed, practically flying back into the living room. Finally locating her mother after running around the couch several times in confusion, she dived at her. “Mama no fwee!”

“Cinnamon Sweetness, somehow I don’t think you’re going to be able to hide from your Daddy in there,” Cheyanne attempted to explain with a short laugh as she watched Olivia furiously squirm in attempts to crawl underneath her tank top. The overgrown bulge stretching out the form-fitting top was obvious. As was the two little cheeks peeking out with legs from underneath.

"Mama!" Olivia whined, burrowing deeper under the tank top. "Fwee me!"

"There you are!"

"Ut oh," Olivia breathed, going completely still. "Daddy no see!"

Unable to hold back a grin, Howie strode over, watching Olivia's feet scrambling against Cheyanne's thighs in an attempt to hide herself further. Clearing his throat, he lifted his gaze to his fiancée's. "Honey? Have you seen Cinnamon?" he asked casually, going so far as to look behind the couch. "I seem to have lost her…"

“No, sir, I haven’t seen one inch of her since she went for her tubby-time,” Cheyanne obliged with a small smile as Olivia slowly attempted to pull the tank top lower, only succeeding in showing her blonde curls and the tops of her mother’s breasts. “And I forgot to mention I was utterly pregnant with twins, too… Sorry…”

"Oh, really? Nice of you to tell me… I wonder where she could be? Do you think we should cancel her play date with Bay this afternoon? I mean, if she's not here—"

"Me pway wiff Bay!" Olivia screeched, poking her head through the top of her mother's tank top. "I wan Bay!"

“Well, Holy Moley! There she is!” Cheyanne drawled in an air of shock as Howie reached to pull Olivia out of the top of her tank top, only succeeding in getting the baby as well as his fiancée’s tank top. “And she ain’t nakie no more!”

"Mama nakie!" Olivia squealed excitedly.

Howie glanced down, his eyes widening. "Honey! …No bra?" he asked.

“Well, I figured I just might be okay considering that tank top had a special shelf lined bra. But, hey, what do I know?” Cheyanne answered with a shrug of her bare shoulders, reaching to bring Olivia into her arms. Rubbing their noses together, she cooed softly. “Let’s go get dressed.”

"I was thinking after we get dressed, we could snuggle on the couch and watch a movie?" Howie suggested as they headed for their room. Peeling off his wet shirt, he tossed it into the bathroom as he passed, knowing he would pick it up later. "And for lunch I could fix some Mexican…"

"'Ritos, Daddy!" Olivia insisted as she was placed on her changing table. "'Ritos!"

“I think Cinnamon would like some ‘ritos,” Cheyanne requested with a smirk as she ducked down to grasp a diaper, hurriedly wrapping it around her daughter. She then bent to blow a loud raspberry on her little pot belly, sending Olivia into a fit of giggles. And, when she stood, Howie was tugging a fresh tank top over her body. “Thank you, Tea.”

"So 'ritos are okay with you, too?" Howie murmured, holding her to him for a moment. Ducking his head, he skimmed her neck and shoulder with his lips before moving to dress Olivia.

"'Ritos… 'Ritos…" Olivia cooed. "Mama? Mama… Mama… MAMA!"

“Olivia Austin, I’m standing right here,” Cheyanne chided softly, shaking her head at Olivia’s impatience. “What do you want, Sweetness?”

"'Ritos, Mama! 'Ritos!"

“I know. Daddy’s going to make you ‘ritos, I promise,” Cheyanne insisted with an emphasized nod of her head, seating herself on the end of the guest bed as she watched Howie wrangle Olivia into her clothing for the day. She always seemed to give her father a hard time when it came to getting bathed and dressed. Cheyanne attributed it to the fact that she always enjoyed taking baths with Olivia. But, she still found it adorable to watch them interact, knowing she was very lucky.

"Come on, give me your hand… No, your hand… Cinnamon Bun, that's your foot… That's a girl," Howie murmured, heaving a sigh of relief when she was fully dressed. "There you go… Now go—No! I don't need—CINNAMON!" he cried in disbelief as she grabbed the powder, shaking the bottle furiously. Sputtering as the white cloud descended upon him, he blindly reached for the bottle, twisting the cap shut before putting it out of her reach. Wiping his face, he gave her what he hoped was a stern glare. "Not funny, Cinnamon."

Cheyanne clapped a hard hand against her mouth in bemused shock as the layers of baby powder fluttered through the air, weaving in swirls from the central air. But Howie’s face was priceless as he clutched the bottle to his chest, just staring at Olivia who puckered her bottom lip with apologies. Howie looked like a powdered donut. Snorting, Cheyanne pushed herself off the bed, knowing Howie’s lecture would be no good with her laughter. “Excuse me,” she strained, hurrying out the door before she collapsed in laughter.

"How are we going to teach her right from wrong if you keep leaving the room to have your laughing fits each time she makes a mess the size of Texas?!" Howie hollered after her, shoving the powder onto a high shower. Shaking his head, he sighed as clouds of powder floated from his hair. Looking down at Cinnamon, he saw her tentative smile, the sapphire eyes glowing with amusement. "You think you're cute, don't you? Well, cute won't cut it this time. You're in big trouble, little miss," he warned, turning his head to sneeze violently. "You've… You've…" Sneezing again, he heard her soft giggle. "Olivia Austin Dorough, what am I going to do with you?" he sighed, scooping her into his arms. It was impossible to be even remotely irritated with her.

“’Ove me, Daddy?” Olivia requested hopefully as she reached up to pat the powder away from her father’s dark hair. When he didn’t say anything nor physically stir, she offered a wider smile and began to pat the powder away from her father’s shoulders. “Me ‘ove Daddy.”

"Yet you constantly torture me," Howie sighed, cupping a hand over his face to shield another sneeze. "How about you go torture your Momma now while I get dressed, huh? Then we can go watch a movie…"

“Neber mean Mama!” Olivia cried as Howie settled her on the floor, allowing her to travel into the hallway. Grinning when she saw her mother slumped against the wall, laughing hysterically, she toddled over for attention. “Mama!”

“Cinnamon, you are way too funny for your own good,” Cheyanne snorted as she heard the bathroom door close with a string of Spanish expletives. That only seemed to make her laugh harder.

"Daddy no wike p'der," Olivia whispered conspiringly, smoothing her hands over her green romper. "I dwess, Mama!"

"I'm getting rid of every last bottle of powder in this house!" Howie threatened behind the bathroom door, followed immediately by a violent string of sneezes.

"Daddy wimp?"

“Yes, but don’t tell him that,” Cheyanne snickered as she wrapped her arms around Olivia, drawing her into a close embrace. Burying her face into Olivia’s sweet smelling curls, she sighed to blow off the giggles. “I love you so much, Cinnamon Sweetness.”

"Me 'ove Mama," Olivia promised. "Cind'rella now?" she requested hopefully, giggling as her father continued his diatribe of curses and sneezes. "MAMA! Cind'rella!"

“Yes, ma’am, we will watch Cinderella,” Cheyanne promised as she focused on her daughter, kissing her forehead before standing. “You wait right here and I’ll get Daddy.”

"Him 'neeze!" Olivia squealed.

Opening the bathroom door, Howie sneezed once more, bending to brush the remaining powder from his legs. "Why are you two enjoying my torture so much?" he asked with a scowl.

"'Ove Daddy," Olivia cooed, toddling up to him. "Cind'rella, Daddy! Meecees!"

“Even though she’s not my favorite princess, I promised her Cinderella,” Cheyanne explained with a rueful grin as Howie scooped Olivia up once more. Fixing her tank top, she stepped toward father and daughter, leaning to kiss her fiancé softly. “And I’m sorry she tortures you so.”

"Really? I haven't heard you laugh like that since we watched that Blue Collar Comedy DVD the other night," Howie teased, nibbling gently at her lips as Olivia tugged on his hand. "And you know she only likes Cinderella for the mice and that evil cat…"

"MOTHIE!" Olivia shrieked as the dog appeared, having finished his breakfast. "Walk Mothie?"

“I’ll walk him out a window…” Howie breathed.

“I know I didn’t hear you say that,” Cheyanne admonished as she crouched down to beckon the dog. He eagerly rushed toward his owner’s open arms, leaping inside for nips and licks against the side of her face. “Moth loves us, huh, Moth?”

"Mothie drool! Yuck!" Olivia made a face, shrinking closer to her father. "Cind'rella now?!"

“I thought we were walking Mothie?” Howie questioned his daughter as Cheyanne allowed the dog to squirm free, watching him rush toward the couch as if he knew what they had planned.

"Mothie c'wait!"

“Mothie wants to snuggle up with you, Tea,” Cheyanne tormented as she sauntered out into the living room, flipping through her thick case of DVDs to locate the one in demand.

"If that little Pisser bites me…" Howie trailed as he scooped Olivia up, toting her under his arm as though she were a suitcase as he headed into the living room.

"Whoooo!" Olivia squealed in delight. "Mama! Air'pane!"

“As long as Daddy doesn’t drop you,” Cheyanne laughed, glancing back as she cued up the movie. Satisfied, she brushed her hands on the back of her shorts, moving back to crawl onto the couch where Moth was waiting patiently on the arm.

"Knowing my luck she'll barf…" Howie trailed, wrinkling his nose. Spinning Olivia, he plopped her down in Cheyanne's lap before settling next to them. Wrapping his arm around his fiancée's shoulders, he sighed as Moth climbed onto his lap, leaning to rest his head on Olivia's lap.

“Are you implying that you’re unlucky?” Cheyanne questioned softly as Olivia snuggled close against her, gently petting Moth’s head while she became immersed in the movie. Resting her head against Howie, Cheyanne kept one arm around Olivia as her other hand gently traced figures on the back of Howie’s hand.

"No… Just plagued by an impish daughter," Howie murmured, lightly stroking her bare arm as he shifted closer. "I'm going to miss her for the next two weeks," he whispered after a moment.

"Mama! CIND'RELLA!" Olivia cried, bouncing up and down with glee.

“I see,” Cheyanne laughed softly, rubbing her daughter’s tummy to assure that she indeed was listening. When Olivia became enthralled with the movie once again, Cheyanne tilted her head to glance toward Howie. They were going to an undisclosed spot for two weeks on a luxurious honeymoon. Only, Olivia would be staying with Austin and Kevin. Howie had made all the plans. “I still say we should take her…”

"I'd love to take her, Honey… But the res—place we're going doesn't allow children," Howie murmured softly, sliding his arm around Olivia in order to hold the two people he loved most close. "And I was thinking when we get back we could see if Ms. Harrison has a cabin free for a week… What do you say to a nice family vacation?"

“I like that idea,” Cheyanne approved with a small smile as she pressed a kiss to his neck. “Cinnamon will really like the cabin… Besides, it seems like I haven’t had you to myself for months…”

"I feel the same—"

"Mama, Daddy! SHHH!" Olivia admonished with an impatient sigh. "R'wind for meecees 'gain?"

“Sorry, Cinnamon,” Cheyanne apologized, reaching for the remote to do as the toddler requested.

*~*~*


"Where are you taking me again?" Austin sighed, shifting in the front seat of the rental car. Looking out the window, she watched the passing houses. Kevin had awakened her with breakfast in bed that morning, letting her linger over it before making the sweet gesture of running a bath for her. She had been wary of his motives, going so far as to ask him what he and AJ had done the night before. His glare had shut her up immediately, and she had been on her best behavior since. Though, this secretiveness was driving her crazy. "You're not driving me out to the middle of nowhere to kill me, are you?"

“Lord no,” Kevin breathed with horror as he glanced sideways. He offered a playful smirk as he turned onto the smoothly paved road leading to Howie’s new home. Austin had yet to see it and he thought it would be appropriate if he showed her today. Along with the other home a little ways down from it. “My insurance policy on you hasn’t come in yet. That would just be stupid, Princess.”

"You're telling me… I mean, you didn't even pack a shovel…" Reaching for his hand, Austin smiled slightly. "You're taking me to see one of the many women whose heart you broke, right?" she guessed with a teasing smirk.

“Actually, I’m taking you to see the house of the man who’s trying to break your heart,” Kevin answered, lightly squeezing her fingers as he followed the long road to its very end, sweeping within the circular round to the very front of the beautiful home.

"Holy shit!" Austin's jaw dropped as she took in what she considered a mansion. "Who's trying to break my heart? …Is this Skinny's crib?" she teased, already pushing the door open.

“Actually, this is the house Howie bought for Angel,” Kevin corrected, swallowing any words of contempt for Austin mentioning AJ. She loved to bring him up periodically through their conversations, loving to ruffle her husband’s feathers. One of these days, he promised himself, he wasn’t going to get jealous. But, that was a useless promise. As long as he was crazy in love with Austin, he would be protective.

"You're shitting me!" Austin squealed.

“No, I’m not. This is the house Howie bought for Angel. Even put the deed in her name. So if you two ever divorce us, you’ll have a nice place to settle back in…” Kevin teased as he reached to grasp her hand, pulling her closer. “I thought you’d want to see it.”

"Kevvykins, I could never divorce you," Austin promised, wrapping her arms around his waist. "But, holy shit… Ollie's going to get lost in there, y'know? And Moth's going to need a homing pigeon to find his way to Chey's bedroom…" she trailed softly, biting back the overwhelming depression that hit her so suddenly. Cheyanne would be living here. With Howie. And Austin would be in Kentucky… So close, but so far away. "She's going to love it… Of course, she would have been happy in a little cabin…"

“In Kentucky? A little cabin in Kentucky, next to us?” Kevin guessed, wanting Austin to just admit it openly. She had been moody since the wedding was quickly closing in, but she refused to say a word. Which was frustrating, considering how verbal she was otherwise.

"Yes, a cabin in Kentucky next to us," Austin admitted. "Or maybe I would be happier having her in a cabin next to us. But it's not going to happen, so why do I keep dwelling on it? I love her so damn much, Kevin. We haven't been apart since we first started sharing a dorm in school. She's always been right there when I need anything, and it's so fucking hard for me to realize that she won't be there anymore." Closing her eyes, Austin tucked her face against his chest to conceal her tears. "And before you start with the whole she'll always be a phone call away, just know it won't be the same…"

“I wasn’t going to start with the whole she’s always a phone call away,” Kevin promised as he stooped to press a kiss to the top of her head. Rubbing her back gingerly, he guided her down the driveway. “C’mon, Princess, take a walk with me.”

Nodding, Austin sniffled. "Whacking them over the head and keeping them prisoner's still out of the question, huh?"

“Well, considering it’s still illegal, yes,” Kevin answered, bringing their intertwined hands to his lips for an affectionate kiss. They walked along in silence, the only sounds coming from the rushing ocean waters. Glancing upward, he smiled when he noticed the upcoming house they were approaching. “That’s a nice house, huh, Princess?”

Glancing up, Austin smiled slightly. "It's pretty," she conceded, brushing her tears away. "Can I hate the pissfucks who get to live next to my Chey-Chey?"

“Well, I suppose, though I think it might be a crime against God to have self loathing…”

"Self loathing?" Austin repeated, turning to look at him. "What the Hell?"

“Well, you know how impulsive I am…” Kevin trailed, a smirk growing on his face when Austin stared at him in disbelief. “Okay, okay, so I decided it wasn’t right for anyone to be living so close to Angel. Howie wants privacy for her and the house was gorgeous. So, I bought it.”

"You bought it?! Kevin!" Austin squealed, throwing herself into his arms. Curling her arms around his neck, she planted several kisses along his cheek. "Wait… We are moving in here, right?"

“Well, I thought we’d keep it for decoration--”

"Kevin Scott, I swear to God, I'll divorce you if you don't—"

Kevin laughed heartily. “I already talked to Ma and explained the situation. I told her how much you were going to miss Cheyanne and how much I was going to miss Howie. So, she agreed it was only right that I find a place in Florida and call the house in Kentucky our summer getaway… When we steal Angel and La-La for a few weeks…”

"Kevvy," Austin whined softly, clinging to him. "You're so great, you know that? I swear, I don't know what I did to deserve you," she murmured, offering him a gentle kiss. No other man, she was sure, would do so much to keep her happy. "Are we taking Ollie to Kentucky while Chey and City Boy are on their honeymoon?"

“I thought it’d be a nice treat, seeing as how Ollie has to decorate her new room in Kentucky and Ma is delirious to see her,” Kevin answered against her lips, grinning when his forehead came to rest against hers. He loved her so much.

"Good… So, do you have a key yet, or do I have to break into one of your fancy windows to get a look inside?" Austin murmured against his lips, closing her eyes to let her lashes flutter against his cheeks. Deliriously happy, she would have promised him the moon at that moment.

“I got keys, Lord knows you can’t break a manicured finger,” Kevin muttered, slipping a hand into his pocket to withdraw the keys to the large mansion. He moved to hand it over, only to have Austin yank the key away and go dashing up the stairs. “But, hey, don’t mind me! I’ll just live in the garage!”

"Well Holy Hell, I have to piss!" Austin announced, dancing in place as she unlocked the door. Flinging it open, she stepped inside, her jaw dropping open when she took in the décor. Whirling around, she saw Kevin heading up the steps. "You've already furnished it?!" she screeched in shock.

“Well Holy Hell, Darlin’! I guess I did!” Kevin drawled back with a mock of southern dialect that was overrated. “Got us some nice big ol’ strings of rope for that fancy kind of drying they call a clothes line! And don’t forget a spit can in every room! And, my God, do you know that them dogs are allowed to live in doors ‘round here?!”

"You're shittin' me! Does it got one of them there cement swimmin' ponds too?!" Austin giggled, popping up on her tiptoes to kiss him. "Now point me in the direction of the nearest chamber pot!"

“I ain’t never gonna culture you up, I fear,” Kevin groaned, gesturing toward the nearest bathroom, though he smiled as she scampered off. God, did he love her.
Last Taste of Freedom by Anastacia
Author's Notes:
Sorry that it's taken so long to update. I'm a pitiful author and co-writer.
Chapter 6 – Last Taste of Freedom


“Hey, D, what are you doing out here? Your bachelor party is inside, on the couch, with the porno playing and the strippers straddling your brother and AJ…” Kevin called as he slipped onto the large balcony of the hotel room. AJ had rented the top presidential suite of the hotel for the bachelor party, pulling out all the stops to make it one of the trashiest parties known to man. Though, Howie seemed less than enthused as he leaned on the balcony, watching the sun starting to sink underneath the waves. Exhaling, Kevin leaned on the railing beside his friend, training his own gaze out onto the ocean. “So, D?”

"I was just thinking…" Howie trailed softly, taking a sip of his drink. Glancing over his shoulder, he saw one of the strippers move towards Brian. "Good God… Honey's going to kill me, you know that? And that's nothing compared to what Badonkadonk's going to do to you. Though, I guess by now, she and Vivian are getting lap dances from some well-oiled sex machines, huh?" he teased lightly, then remembered where Cheyanne was. "Do you think if I called to check on her I'd come across as a jealous, overprotective asshole?"

“So… You’re not as understanding as everyone claims, huh?” Kevin inquired, now understanding why Howie was so intent on watching the ocean waters.

"I understand, really… I just worry," Howie admitted. "Is that wrong?"

“No, it’s not wrong for you to worry,” Kevin assuaged, swirling the beer around in its can, knowing there was just a swallow left. “Considering how badly Nick fucked up…”

"…Did AJ confiscate your cell phone at the door? 'Cause he took mine…"

“I would murder him when he slept if he took my cell phone,” Kevin threatened, reaching into his back pocket to retrieve what Howie requested. “Are you calling her?”

"No… I just wanted to know you had it in case I decide to?" Howie offered as explanation, draining the rest of his beer.

“You know she loves you, D. She just wants to be friends with Nick… No matter how shitty he treats her,” Kevin attempted to explain, noticing the gloomy glitter in his friend’s dark eyes. “I mean, you’re the one she’s getting married to tomorrow. In a beautiful dress… Lord knows she wouldn’t wear one of them for anyone else.”

"…She wore one for you and Austin, remember?" Howie asked with a teasing smirk. Turning to glance inside, he shook his head. "I would have been completely happy with a few beers and maybe some porn… But strippers? Are they necessary?"

“Apparently AJ thought so. I mean, they wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t for the quarter slots they have tucked between their oversized breasts. Twenty five minutes for twenty five cents!”

"Their breasts ain't got nothing on Honey's…" Howie trailed with a smile. "And if Brian keeps it up, Viv will have his penis on a stick tomorrow…" Shaking his head, he tossed his empty can into the nearby trashcan. "Why didn't you bring me a fresh beer?"

“’Cause I didn’t think you’d want to be hung over for your wedding, but hold on,” Kevin answered, disappearing inside the hotel. He brushed passed his cousin and AJ begging for him to join, grabbing the small cooler of beers he had put together before arriving. He knew Howie and himself would be elsewhere for the evening. Smirking, he returned to the balcony, setting the cooler on the table after retrieving two more. “Here.”

"I love you, man," Howie grinned, holding his beer up in a silent toast. "And the wedding's not 'till five… I think I can shake off any hangover I may have by then," he reminded Kevin, pulling a chair over so he could sit comfortably. "…You did make sure AJ's not drinking, didn't you?"

“There’s nonalcoholic beer inside,” Kevin answered, following Howie’s actions as he propped his feet on the railing. “He knows better than to do that and I double checked.”

"I know he knows better… I just—"

"Worry, yeah. I know."

“Honey says I’m going to have an aneurysm before I’m fifty if I keep this up…”

"…Can I get your convertible?"

Howie’s eyes widened in shock. “You fucking bastard…”

"It was a joke! Jesus Christ… I'm beginning to think the stick everyone says is up my ass has transplanted itself to yours!"

“I thought you and AJ liked to share those kinds of things…”

"You bastard… Why the Hell does everybody keep bringing that up? I was fucking drunk!"

"I thought you were drunk fucking?" Howie teased, leaning to the side so Kevin's swinging hand wouldn't strike him.

“You piss--”

“It was a joke! Jesus Christ! I’m beginning to think AJ’s dick is permanently lodged!” Howie mocked.

"Why is no one torturing Austin over the things she did that night?" Kevin demanded with a scowl, lifting his beer to his lips. "Ain't like it was just me and AJ, y'know."

“It was for about five minutes of that tape…”

"I swear to God, I'm finding that piece of shit and taping a football game over that part…"

“But you and AJ bashing tongues is constant throughout the entire endeavor…”

"She gave you a copy, didn't she?" Kevin questioned, scowling when he saw Howie's affirmative nod. "Damnit all to Hell…"

“Everyone has a copy, Kev.”

"She's grounded—"

"Yo, D! Come watch this tape, man!" Brian hollered from inside the suite.

“I hope it’s a seventy minute porno of Angel playing with Brian’s dickrod,” Kevin grumbled.

"Nah… Maybe it's a nice hour long night-vision video of Badonkadonk and AJ," Howie suggested as he got to his feet. It wouldn't hurt to take a look, he decided. And, if it was too bad, he could always go sit on the balcony with Kevin.

“Wouldn’t you just shit a brick if it was Angel and Nick,” Kevin threatened with a darker scowl.

Howie paused at the doorway, gripping his can tightly. Clearing his throat, he glanced at Kevin, still sitting in the chair. "For such a good friend, you can really be an asshole," he muttered before heading inside. "What'cha got?" he asked AJ, leaning against the back of the couch.

“Some girl on girl on girl action!” AJ whooped, actually pushing the stripper off his lap to rewind.

"If this is some wild tape of you and three random hookers, I really don't… Holy shit! Is that Honey?!" Howie bellowed, eyes wide as he saw a woman who resembled Cheyanne zip by on the screen in fast motion.

“Oh that is most definitely the sex pot,” AJ laughed wickedly. “Getting thrown onto a table and stripped by her best friends! And I was there!”

"You lucky son-of-a-bitch," Howie breathed as AJ pressed play. "You taped this and held on to it 'till now?"

"Hell no, man… One of my buddies was there and got all the loveliness on film… Would you look at Baby Girl and Viv? Hot shit, ain't it?" AJ cackled with glee as Kevin appeared in the doorway. "Kev! Remember that tongue thing Baby Girl did to me?! She did it to Viv too!"

“I’m quite partial to the body shots they do on Chey,” Brian voiced before Kevin could say much of his threats. He reached for the remote control, fast forwarding to the point he had mentioned. “God what I wouldn’t give to do that!”

"You mean Viv won't let you do body shots on her?!" AJ asked incredulously, snatching the remote from Brian to rewind back to Austin and Vivian. "She let me take OJ shots off her—"

“I meant take body shots off Chey you dumbass,” Brian growled, tackling AJ for the remote.

Before he could grab it, Howie snatched the remote from AJ's hand, eyes intent on the screen. "Holy shit…"

"Haven't we seen enough?" Kevin grumbled, folding his arms over his chest as he saw AJ with Austin on the screen. "You pissfuck—"

“She made me do it!” AJ blurted, throwing Brian off him so he could scramble up. Yanking the ice bucket and dumping the ice onto Brian, he grinned haphazardly. “Look! Out of ice! Gotta go!” And he ran.

"Austin made him do it?" Howie asked with a snort. "Right, just like Honey made Vivian do that?!" He couldn't hold back a smirk as he pointed at the screen. "I'm marrying such a feisty little thing!"

*~*~*


Handing Cheyanne the Hawaiian punch-flavored wine cooler, Nick leaned back against the side of the boat, looking out over the ocean as the sun sank lower in the sky. "Having fun, Sweetheart?" he asked softly, looking up at her. She sat on the side of the boat, one hand gripping the rail, looking resplendent in the early evening sunshine. Her golden curls, free of ponytail or clip, waved gently in the soft breeze, and though she wore sunglasses he could see her eyes twinkling, her glossed lips curving into a pleased smile as she took a sip of her wine cooler. Reaching over, he tapped her bare leg. "Sweetheart," he said slowly. "I'm here, too, remember?"

“Huh?” Cheyanne blanked for a moment, glancing down when she felt Nick’s fingers on her upper thigh. Catching his dark sapphire eyes, she instantly blushed with embarrassment. Releasing the railing of the boat, she placed a hand over her bare stomach, smiling apologetically. “Sorry, Nicky… It’s just really pretty out here… I love sunsets…”

"The sun's not setting yet…" Nick trailed with a grin, shaking his head. "And you teased Austin for blanking on her vows? For shame, Sweetheart… Sit just like that for a minute, okay?" he questioned suddenly, diving beneath the seat for his backpack. "I want to get a picture…"

“I wasn’t the only person that teased her about messing up her vows…” Cheyanne defended as she watched Nick root underneath the seat within his backpack, poking his behind into the air. She smirked softly as she took another long swallow of the wine cooler, unable to help from becoming lost in her thoughts. She knew Howie didn’t really approve of her being on the boat. And she loved him so much, but Nick was such a good friend. Nick needed someone in his life who was understanding and he was so excited about the trip. “Wait… A picture? Of what? I ain’t exactly looking good for a picture, Nicky…”

"You look beautiful," Nick returned, his voice muffled. Backing from under the seat, he fiddled with his expensive camera. "Natural, happy… Just like I love…" he trailed off into a soft sigh, reaching for his wine cooler as he aimed the camera at her. "Smile, Sweetheart!"

“Don’t drop that in the ocean,” Cheyanne warned as she playfully tipped her wine cooler toward him as a sign of cheers, grinning sweetly, though she hated to have her photograph taken.

Rolling his eyes, he snapped a picture, smiling to himself as he reviewed it. "…Want me to play some music? I've got the new Green Day… Why are you taking off your shorts?" he blurted, unable to resist taking another picture as she bent over, standing on the bench seat.

“Am I not allowed to take off my shorts?” Cheyanne inquired curiously as she glanced while stepping out of the shorts, tucking the fallen golden curls behind her ears.

"Sweetheart, you can take off anything you want," Nick assured her with a grin. "But, babe? A thong bikini? Are you trying to kill me?!"

Cheyanne blushed in surprise as she remembered what she was wearing, immediately grabbing her shorts from the floor of the boat while she whirled to face him. She suddenly felt uncomfortable as she shifted on her bare feet, playing with the strings of her purple and blue plaid thong bottoms crossing her hips. “I didn’t get a chance to pack my bag to meet you on the boat, so I had Vivie do it while she came to drop off Darlin’. And I got this bikini from some ‘secret admirer’ and Vivie found it… Apparently, she thought I should use it. And I wanted to swim… So I don’t have a choice. I can get a t-shirt--”

"No, please. I like it," Nick assured her quickly. "And who the fuck is sending you a bikini?!" he blurted. "Some fucking weirdo could be—"

“Your brother,” Cheyanne interrupted with a small smirk as she sat back in her seat to hide her backside, allowing her curls to fall over her shoulders to conceal the triangular bikini top. “He put his picture in the bottom of the box along with his cell phone number…”

"That little Fucker," Nick groaned, shaking his head. "…Did you call him?"

“Would you be jealous if I did?” Cheyanne questioned with a small smile, sipping the last of her wine cooler.

"Maybe a little? …Like you were over me and Morgan? But seriously, Sweetheart, Fucker's bad news… All he wants is to dip between your legs for about ten minutes…"

Must be a brother thing,’ Cheyanne thought as she averted her eyes. “Aaron isn’t that bad. He’s kind of sweet when he wants to be. And I tried to return the gift, but he refused. So, I just stuck it in the back of my drawer.”

Nick snorted. Not that bad… If Cheyanne only knew. "Alright, alright… Ready for that dip now? Before it gets too dark?" he asked, tucking his camera under the seat again. Climbing onto the seat next to her, he stood up, gazing down into the crystal blue waters. Reaching for her hand, he grinned. "You might see a dolphin or two…"

“You scare the sharks away first,” Cheyanne decided, pushing on his backside to send him flying into the ocean waters.

Surfacing with a shudder, Nick glared up at her. "Damnit, Sweetheart! I was planning on taking my shirt off first!" he growled, wriggling out of the wet t-shirt. Balling it up, he threw it at her, succeeding in only tossing it onto the seat. "Jesus Christ, I could'a broke my neck!"

“I know first aid, you would have been fine,” Cheyanne promised, leaning over the railing to peer down at her friend.

Reaching up, Nick grasped the rail, holding most of his body out of the water as he leaned up to look into her eyes. "You probably would have just cut open an artery and let the sharks finish me off…" he trailed softly before grabbing her by the waist. Letting go of the rail, he fell back into the water, dragging her with him.

“Ni--” Cheyanne didn’t even have time to holler his name as she hit the cold water with a jolt. Shifting within the water, she pushed away from Nick’s body, swimming deeper and farther to surface a few feet away. Gasping when she finally found air, she brushed her matted curls away from her face. “Like I couldn’t have just bounced my head off the railing and died right there!”

"Hello? I had a good grip on you!" Nick defended, swimming up behind her. "And you might want to adjust this," he added softly, his finger tracing the tie of her bikini top across her back. "I think it kind of slipped down…"

“It kind of slipped down or you helped it along?” Cheyanne coughed as she continued to tred water with her powerful legs, slipping her arms behind her neck to secure the first bikini tie before reaching for the one across her back.

Smirking, Nick kissed her shoulder, his finger hooking in the tie and quickly untying it. "Slipped down, I helped it along… Whichever," he murmured in her ear, his hand lightly caressing her back before he swam away.

“Nick!” Cheyanne gasped in shock as the bikini top floated within the water. She didn’t know what else to say as she snatched it from falling deeper within the water, hugging her chest to conceal her breasts. She was aghast as she watched him languidly swim as if he hadn’t done a thing. What kind of game was he playing this time?

"My hand slipped?" he offered. "Come on, Sweetheart… When have I ever not done stupid shit like this?"

“I think you use that as an excuse,” Cheyanne answered, wondering whether or not she had the gall just to throw the bikini top on the deck as if it were nothing.

"Yet you haven't slaughtered me yet… What are you doing?"

“What does it look like I’m doing?” Cheyanne returned as she balled up her bikini top, tossing it onto the deck of the boat. Slipping back into the water to brush her curls away from her face, she sighed when she resurfaced, feeling refreshed. If Howie could have strippers and porn movies all night, then she could surely swim around topless. Many women in Europe relished in the tradition.

"Trying to kill me," Nick breathed in shock, quickly dipping beneath the surface.

“You’re the one that played with the fire, Nicky,” Cheyanne explained, though she wasn’t sure if he had heard. Deciding that she didn’t want to upset him, Cheyanne dove beneath the surface, swimming to the opposite side of the boat. When she surfaced, she was greeted with the beautiful coloring of the sky and a herd of dolphins playing in the distance. “God, they’re beautiful…”

"Not as beautiful as you," Nick informed as he appeared in front of her, shaking the water from his hair. His feet brushed her legs as he tread the water, and he reluctantly moved back. "Excited?" he asked after a moment.

“Excited about seeing the dolphins?” Cheyanne questioned, not really knowing what he was asking as she hugged her chest once more, hiding her breasts from his view as a courtesy.

"The wedding…" Nick trailed softly, turning to look out at the dolphins. Moving back, he leaned against the side of the boat, lightly grasping the ladder so he could rest his legs.

“Oh…” Cheyanne answered with a slightly embarrassed smile. “It’s kind of surreal at this point. Like, it doesn’t feel like tomorrow is the day, y’know? But, I’m so terrified I’m going to make a mistake. There’s so many things that happen at a formal Catholic wedding and I want everything perfect for Howie… Do you think I could hide in a confessional?”

"And just who is he going to kiss at the end of the ceremony? 'Cause I sure as Hell ain't locking lips with him…"

“Well, I would naturally come out of the confessional booth to kiss him…” Cheyanne trailed with an impish smile, treading away so Nick’s view would be shielded so she wouldn’t be required to keep swimming with only her legs.

Rolling his eyes, Nick pulled himself up the ladder. Straddling the side of the boat, he leaned to get his wine cooler, his gaze on the dolphins as they splashed and played. "You're sure everybody's okay with me being there?" he asked after a few moments' silence. "I keep picturing Austin chasing me to the nearest chicken coop with a shotgun…"

“Tea’s the one that invited you, so of course everyone’s okay with it. If you want to come, then I think you should come. You’re part of the family,” Cheyanne answered as she glanced up toward Nick. “Do you want to toss me my bikini top so you can stop having a fit?”

"I'm not having a fit," Nick defended. "I've seen you naked before… I can handle them—it! I can handle it!"

“I ain’t making fun of you. I’m trying to do what’s best for you, but apparently I’m the one that keeps fucking up, huh?”

"No, Sweetheart… You've never fucked up," Nick assured her, stooping to pick up her bikini top. Tossing it down, he climbed fully into the boat, turning his back so she could replace it in privacy. Gulping the rest of his wine cooler, his body burned for something stronger, but he knew he couldn't dig out his stash. Not when Cheyanne was with him. Taking a deep breath, he tossed his empty bottle into the cooler before starting to wring out his t-shirt.

“I’m sorry, Nicky,” Cheyanne answered as she hurriedly pulled on her bikini top before climbing the ladder to the boat. Somehow, she figured, they wouldn’t be swimming anymore. Reaching for the nearby towel, she wrapped it around her petite body, biting down on her bottom lip when she realized Nick wouldn’t face her. “Are you okay?”

"Fine," he murmured, holding his breath as he turned to look at her. "I just… I… Fuck it," he muttered before pulling her into his arms. He couldn't stand having her so close and being unable to touch her. "I'm sorry," he whispered before meeting her lips in a slow, tantalizing kiss.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8091