Wish You Were Mine by Gravity 721
Summary: Everyone has that certain someone who remains elusive. That certain someone that we wish we had the guts to speak to, or get close to and we go on and never take that chance. What happens when on a chance meeting, you find out the the one you've been wanting, may want you too?
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick
Genres: Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1938 Read: 1021 Published: 11/24/06 Updated: 11/24/06

1. Chapter 1 by Gravity 721

Chapter 1 by Gravity 721
Author's Notes:
This story was inspired from a favorite song of mine. I loved making it into a story, I hope you enjoy it!
Wish You Were Mine

My cherie amour, pretty little one that I adore
You're the only girl my heart beats for
How I wish that you were mine


Nick hopped into his truck and took off; he was late, really late. He never understood why he could never be on time for these meetings, he was sure though that Kevin loved it, gave him yet another opportunity to ream him out. That said, he did have a few minutes to stop at the store and get something to drink, he really was thirsty. Hell, if he was gonna get in trouble; he might as well make it worth his while. Pulling into a gas station, he parked and slid out, making his way into the air-conditioned building and headed immediately to the back to the coolers. Looking over his vast choices, he opened one of the doors and proceeded to reach in, when something or someone rather, caught his eye. Slowly turning his head, his eyes widened.

It was her.

Let it be said that even after all this time, Nick Carter was shy around women. Granted he had a bit of an easier time here with approach then he had say ten years ago, but still he had his insecurities just like any other man. He could talk to women celebrities of his caliber with no problem for the most part, but when it came to normal everyday girls, he froze, and she was no exception. Nick wasn’t sure what it was about her that attracted him so, she wasn’t overly glamorous, wasn’t from what he could see, high maintenance. Still, his heart was racing; it was always racing whenever she was around him.

Nick had first seen her about a week ago when he’d been in line at the video store. He’d been standing there, minding his own business when she came up behind him, the light scent of her perfume, something floral he was sure, surrounded him. He casually glanced behind him to see her looking at the back of one of the DVD’s and felt his heart drop. She was beautiful in that natural way. She wasn’t made up, wearing tons of make up, she looked fresh and healthy. A far cry from the women he was used to encountering. He quickly looked towards the front of the line, trying to figure out a way to say something to her, anything. His turn was next, he paid for his movie and stepped out of the line and made his way through the detector and took the movie from the clerk and waited. Nick had watched as she paid and started towards the detector and just when she was about to make her way through, he turned and hightailed it out the store and over to his truck.

He really was a loser.

Now here he was, gawking at her again. Turning, he stared hard at the various bottles of pop and fruit drinks in front of him, the words and colors starting to blur. He continued to watch her out of the corner of his eye. She reached in and grabbed what appeared to be a Snapple and shut the door, turning and making her way down towards him.

“C’mon Nick…do it, say something!” Nick mumbled to himself.

She made her way past him, and down the aisle right behind him to the check out counter, that familiar light scent floating in the air. Nick could hear her soft voice as she thanked the cashier and then the tinkling of the bell signaling that she’d left. Groaning he let his head hit the cold window with a thunk. Again he’d failed. Reaching in, he blindly grabbed a bottle of something and headed for the check out.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
In a cafe or sometimes on a crowded street
I've been near you, but you never noticed me
My cherie amour, won't you tell me how could you ignore
That behind that little smile I wore
How I wish that you were mine


Nick sipped at the remainder of his coffee, reading the paper intently. It was nice when he had the time off, to just relax and do nothing. It was rare nowadays to be able to do nothing, he was always running from one appointment or another or to meetings here and there, like yesterday. Not today though, today was his day off. He’d spent the last hour and a half here at his favorite café just reading and enjoying coffee. Nick downed the last of his coffee and set it down on the saucer. Setting a few bills down on the table he stood, he’d go across the street and check out one of his favorite stores. It was close so there was no use in driving over, he’d leave his truck and just cross the street.

He made his way down the crowded sidewalk over to the crosswalk, joining the small group of people waiting for the light to change. He was lucky, here lately he hadn’t been seen much by any paparazzi or fans, he was able to walk around free for the most part, California was different in that way than Florida. Looking up, he waiting impatiently for the ‘Walk’ sign to light up. Sighing heavily, he looked at the various people, his gaze wandering idly. Suddenly a women turned, looking around, she too appeared to be impatient for the light to change. Nick almost gasped out loud, it was her again! He couldn’t stop staring at her, couldn’t turn away. She looked over at him suddenly, catching him watching her. Nick’s heart dropped again, fumbling over the fact that he’d been caught and gave her a weak smile. She gave him a small smile, a hint of amusement in her eyes.

“Hey buddy, move it!” came a disgruntled voice behind him.

Nick turned quickly to look at the guy, “Sorry.”

The guy mumbled something and shoved past him, Nick turned to look for the girl, but she was gone.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
“Nick, man what’s happened to your game? You play like a girl!” Brent called, grinning.

“Shut up! I’ll have you know women play professional basketball, so I don’t find that insulting you ass,” Nick replied smugly.

“Whatever man, your game sucks. You know it and I know it.”

“Just play.”

“Nah I’m gonna get going, got some shit to do.”

“Ohh he’s scared now, you know I’m gonna whoop your ass so you’re running. It’s cool though, I won’t tell anyone,” Nick chuckled, walking over to the bench and grabbing his bottle of water.

“You wish! You go ahead and tell people that,” Brent groaned, packing his bag up.

“Mmmhmm, I’ll tell people that cause it’s the truth.”

“Later Nick,” Brent went on as if he never heard him, slapping Nick on the back before walking off towards his car.

Nick stuffed his water bottle into his bag and picked up the ball, bouncing it along the court. His thoughts drifted to the girl. He’d been so close a couple days ago when he saw her on the street that time. If he’d only said something clever, something witty. Groaning, he took a shot, running to catch the ball after it made its way through the net. He hadn’t seen her since then though, and that was a few days ago. It’d be just his luck that he’d never see her again.

After taking a few more shots, Nick made his way back over to his bag, gathering his stuff up and heading off. Deciding he didn’t want to go just yet, he made his way over to a lone bench and sat, pulling his bottle out of his bag, he took a long drink, setting his ball down between his legs, staring out. He really would like to be in a relationship right now, it was hard though, his job just didn’t allow for it. It wasn’t impossible, just…hard. He wasn’t good at the whole long distance thing; then again maybe he hadn’t found the one to make him want to be good at it.

Looking over, Nick watched as a couple made their way past him, hand in hand. He missed that, he really did. He liked having someone to share things with and spend time with. Nick had always had bad luck with women it seemed, he always went for the wrong ones. He didn’t know if he just had bad judgment or if he was just too gullible. The guys always told him he trusted too easily, he never thought he did, but maybe when it came to women. Part of him just wanted them to like him so much, that he was willing to do whatever it took for it to happen.

Sighing, he reached down to grab his ball and stuff his bottle into his bag when he heard a soft voice.

“Excuse me…”

Nick looked up, his eyes widening.

“Can I sit here? All the other benches are full.”

He blinked once, twice. It was her, and she was talking to him. She waited expectantly for some kind of response from him. Nick straightened up quickly, cursing himself inwardly.

“Oh, uh…sure, go ahead,” he responded lamely, sliding down a bit.

She smiled, “Thanks,” she sat.

“No problem,” Nick mumbled, trying without much success, to jam the bottle into the bag. Giving up, he held it on his lap, staring out blankly. ‘Say something Carter!’

“Beautiful day out.” ‘What a dope!’

She looked over at him, “It really is. Perfect day to be out doing nothing,” she chuckled, winking.

He nodded, looking down. He could feel her eyes on him, maybe if he was lucky; she wouldn’t remember him from before, really, what were the odds? Maybe she was used to guys looking at her like they wanted to undress her. Nick was sincerely hoping that wasn’t the case though. Slowly he looked over at her.

“I’m sorry for staring but…I get the feeling I’ve seen you somewhere before. I know that sounds like a bad pick up line, but I’m almost positive.”

What do you know, she did remember.

“Really?”

“Mmmhmm…”

She went quiet again then suddenly she chuckled.

“Ohh yeah, now I remember! I saw you at the video store what, a week ago? Then at that gas station…and then…umm…a few days ago waiting for the light. Man, that guy behind you was such an ass. I was gonna say something to you, but the light changed and people started pushing me so they could go. I‘d been meaning to say hi to you, but I‘m a little shy. I hope you weren’t offended.”

He swallowed hard, she’d seen him. All those times when he thought she hadn’t noticed, hadn’t seen him watching, she had. He smiled suddenly, “Nope, not at all.”

She offered her hand, “I’m Kalila”.

Nick shook her hand, “I’m Nick, nice to meet you.”

Kalila smiled, “Nice to meet you finally Nick.”

Maybe someday, you'll see my face among the crowd
Maybe someday, I'll share your little distant cloud
Oh, cherie amour, pretty little one that I adore
You're the only girl my heart beats for
How I wish that you were mine


My Cherie Amour by Stevie Wonder
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8190