You're Always Special by Ryanna
Summary: It was a rainy day, a little girl about six years old was sitting in front of the ICU, here eyes were fixed on the floor watching her feet as they swing, she was humming some tune that only she and her brothers knew, she was waiting for some one to come.

When you prejudge some one, and your baby sister falls in love with him, should you stand in the middle of it or help them through it.

Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Kevin, Nick
Genres: Alternate Universe, Drama, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: No Word count: 10525 Read: 26188 Published: 10/08/07 Updated: 01/12/08

1. Chapter 1 by Ryanna

2. Chapter 2 by Ryanna

3. Chapter 3 by Ryanna

4. Chapter 4 by Ryanna

5. Chapter 5 by Ryanna

6. Chapter 6 by Ryanna

7. Chapter 7 by Ryanna

8. Chapter 8 by Ryanna

9. Chapter 9 by Ryanna

10. Chapter 10 by Ryanna

11. Chapter 11 by Ryanna

12. Chapter 12 by Ryanna

13. Chapter 13 by Ryanna

14. Chapter 14 by Ryanna

Chapter 1 by Ryanna
Author's Notes:
I wrote this to my best friend AJ, this one goes out for her because she deserves such a dedication.
It was a rainy day late 1991, a little girl about 6 years old was sitting in front of the ICU, here eyes were fixed on the floor watching her feet as they swung, she was humming some tune that only she and her brothers knew, she was waiting for some one to come.

She heard the elevator door open and the warm yet worried voice of her big brother.
"Amy..!"
She stood up and hurried to his embrace
"Hey baby girl, what's wrong sweetie?" He asked her
Tears were gathering in her golden green eyes
"Daddy fell down, and he is sick, they didn't let me go and see him" almost crying said the little girl.
He held his sister up then headed to one of the nurses he spotted going out of the ICU.

"Excuse me ma'am.. My name is Kevin Richardson… My father was brought in less than an hour ago, can you tell me how is he?" he asked her.
The lady looked at him smiled "I am sorry young man, I have no idea." She replied
He felt his sister's little hand pulling his sleeve
"Kevy… Mommy's in there with Daddy, they'd let us see her? ain't they?" asked Amy looking so pure and innocent into her brothers eye's

How much he wanted to tell her about the whole truth, that their father is facing death, and that he might not be able to hold on this night.

"Yes baby girl, I'll go and find a doctor to let us in so you'll stay here and wait ok?" he asked her
"No…" her words came out as she shock her head in disagreeing.
"I ain't gonna stay here by myself, I ain't."
"Ok baby girl… You'll come with me; but you have to walk ok, cuz your big bro is tired." he informed her
"And smelly too" she acted as if she was disgusted of his smell.

It made him smile through the tough moment he was expecting.

He couldn't help not to smell after having the worst ever training he had before the school championship, he is after all a football player and a senior year student.
******************

It was a sunny yet cool September after noon, a cute young lady was setting in the waiting room, her earphone was on full blast, even the passing nurses heard it playing music, they smiled passing her by.
Less than five minutes she felt someone snatching her earphones

"Hey baby girl, haven't any one told you that you'd get yourself ear damaged listening this way?"
She looked at him, "Hey back to you, I was sick of waiting you, plus I am not listening to deaf metal, I only listen to my new assignment, Carter wont allow me to fail him this time." She informed him
"Carter you dance buddy?" he asked her
"Don't make fun of him, he is one of the best, and he is not my dance buddy, he is my music organizer, ok kev?"
"Ok baby girl let's go mom would be made if we were late."

At that moment, a young woman passed by them
"Hello doctor Richardson, it is nice to meet you, by the way happy birthday" she told him.
"Oh thanks Ms. Willits.," replied

As they were getting out of the hospital Amy looked at her brother
"Nice chick, who is she?"
"Amy! Stop it!" he ordered her
"For God's sake Kevin I am asking about her name and you are attacking me already sorry!"

"Her name is Kristen Willits, she works in the legal department, is that ok?" he answered her.

*****************

That was a habitual thing, every Tuesday. Amy Richardson the young sister of Doctor Kevin Richardson would show up in his clinic and they leave together after a long tiring day for both of them.

Who could have thought that the crazy hours they spent in the hospital 12 years ago would change the lives of both of them, that day ended so sadly by them losing their father but for Kevin it was a start for a new era in his life. Instead of continuing his dream of composing and music, he decided to go and study medicine, he wanted to help people, to stop their pain, and he wanted to try and make up for the times he felt helpless and couldn't help his father through out his sickness.

His mother took a good care of his baby sister, it was a miracle her presence in the world, she came in a time no one expected, and she was an angel they needed to brighten up their life.

He has so often recalled his father's last word to him
"Take care of your mom, and Amy Kevin, don’t ever let her down, don't you make her sad Kevin,"

He promised his father, and he was for sure going to keep his word.

He turned out be one of the most successful cardio-surgeons in the states, and he was getting famous in Europe too.

On the other hand, Amy had a very promising talent in entertainment, she did couple of acts in school that granted her a scholarship, yet she chose to finish her studying in music and folklore, she had such a warm voice and she was a talented person.
***********************

A week later it was again another Tuesday, she was waiting him in his clinic when his secretary came and told her that he couldn't go out with her because he had an operation going on.
Amy got used on such a thing her brother had many lives to save and she never made a big deal out of him not showing up to a lunch or a dinner.

So she placed back her earphones back on her ears and went out of the clinic, she pressed the elevator button and waited until it came to the forth floor.
She stepped in, she was so occupied with her new project she was given, it was about her favorite kind of music, Celtic music, it has always made her feel dreamy.

As she the elevator reached the parking aria; she was still consumed with her dance and music, she was about to step out of the elevator when some one stepped in front of her, then she fell on the floor, she felt the metal edge of the elevator almost crushing her wrest, and heard something cracking.

The pain was it, she didn't know what was worst the embarrassment from hitting some one or the fact she hurt her self in this time, just before the final auditions.

She knew it was her fault, she should have been careful.

"Are you ok miss?" she heard a male voice.
She looked at the person whom she hit.
He bent down to help her back to her feet when he saw some blood staining her sleeve, "I think we need to get this bandaged miss." He said

He was about five feet 7, brown eyes, with a mixture of Hispanic and Irish complexion.

"I think it is ok, it is nothing really" she tried to hide her embarrassment
"And I still think it need to be treated right, don't worry I am a doctor here, McLean" he told her.

Some how she didn't know how it all happened fast, she was back in the elevator and back to the clinical floor.
As they headed to his clinic she had the time to pass next to Kevin's clinic, still he wasn't there, not yet.

On the door there was "A.J. McLean" Neurosurgeon.

As they entered his office he went straight to the window to open it.
"Sorry but still they didn't hire me an assistants to keep the office in peace, now let me see your hand please."
Her eyes were wondering around the office, though the shaggy appearance of it she had a glance into so decorative elements of the Celt.
"Hello…" he stood in front of her, "I think we should look after this injury first." He smiled to her.
She looked at him and silently obeyed him, it was something she never did before obeying some one this way.

As he was looking into her hand, she had time to do her own examination, his face was not firm but it had this hidden charisma, his voice wasn't husky yet it has this tune that was almost hypnotizing her, just like the music she was listening to.

He was wrapping her hand with the bandage he started talking to her.

"Well I can assure you that it is going to be ok in about two weeks"
"Really, how can you be sure?" she looked at him wondering, how he could find out something like that.
"Young lady this is my job, I haven't spent 6 years of my life studying, and another four practicing so I would fail telling patients about how much it would take them to be well." He said to her.

Amy felt clumsy she knew this kind of attitude , the same that Kevin had, "Oh I am sorry I didn't mean to offend you, I know it is your job, it was just that you were so sure about it that was it Dr. A.J.!" she looked at him. She knew his initials from the sign on the door.

"They are for Alexander James... What about you?" he asked her smiling now
"Amy… Amy Richardson" she answered him.

He was placing back some books that were on his desk to the library, when she noticed another Celtic clue; this doctor had a Celtic tattoo on his arm, a cross-designed in a Celtic strokes.

"How cool Celtic cross?" she told him.

He looked back at her he realized that she had saw his tattoo.

He sat in front of her and pulled his sleeve to its full height, "yeah it is" he answered her "I didn't think that some one would recognize it's origin" he told her

"Well I did, gosh it is so delicate, I bet it was made by a professional tattoo artist" she told him.

"I got it back in Ireland," he informed her.

She looked dazed at him "Really! You have been there?"

"Yeah, I lived there for half of my life."

Amy didn't realize the time flying, for she spent over and hour talking to this doctor about their shared interest in Celtic history.

The only thing that made her realize the time was his pager,

"Oh gosh Kevin would kill me." She said as she looked at her watch to find the time
He looked at her

"Do you mean Dr. Richardson Kevin Richardson from The Cardio Unit?" he asked her


Chapter 2 by Ryanna

He looked at her as she smiled back at him "yeah he is my brother!"

His eyes gazed at her in disbelief, "Are you telling me that green eyed Hulk in the third office is your brother?"

She smiled at his remark.

 

"Yeah my big black hair train is him, now excuse me I truly have to leave."

 

He didn't want her to leave, he for once found someone to talk to and have a good time with he followed her to the door.

 

"Amy can I have your number to call you, maybe we can go out to a dinner or something." He told her. She looked at him and smiled , she didn't carry any papers and she was in a hurry, she pulled the pen out of his shirt's pocket and held his hand, then wrote it on his hand

 

"Here is my cell number, you can call me but you have to forgive me if I never answered sometimes I am too busy,"

She placed the pen back in his pocket then hurried out of the office, just in time to catch her brother leaving his clinic

"Hey there Kevy!" she told Kevin

"Hey back to you, I thought you left, Marjory told me you left" he looked at her

"I almost did then I found myself back here, guess that we should start hanging out more." She was smiling happily

Kevin thought that it was great to see her smiling this way, for the past couple of weeks she was pretty busy with the dance she was preparing and never had time to enjoy any other thing, he always thought that since she loves what she is doing than this is good.

As they went in his car, Kevin noticed her hand

"Amy what happened to your hand?" his voice turned into more concerned tune

"I just had my wrist twisted a little bit, it is ok!"

"Don't you think we should we should be back and make some one in ER look into it?"

"Nah, don't worry someone has already took care of it, a new doctor, McLean" she told him.

Slamming the door on his side

"MCLEAN!!" his voice was so different than the concerned one

"Hold your nerves back Kev, he'd only helped me!" she looked at him

It was a saved by the Ring situation, that Amy thanked God for happening. Kevin's phone rang.

"Richardson… hey mama…. Oh I had to be late … yeah mom... oh she is with me... ok we won't be late ok mom. We'll be home in about 15minutes," returned his phone into his pocket, started the engine.


"Listen baby girl. I will be honest with you, I don't like that McLean, heard some stuff about him that I didn't like, I would truly don't like you to hang around him ok?" he told her.

"Get real Kevin, I only met him today, don't ya think I'm gonna jump in his bed by tonight, ok" she tried to break a joke.

"What did you say?"

"Oh Kevin... for Christ sake… I fell in the elevator twisted my wrist and he was kind enough to help me. I even looked for you before accepting his help you were no place near your clinic so don't jump the gun ok!" she told him, needles to say she lied.


She didn't look for him, she looked into his office as she passed by but never asked where he was, and she actually hit McLean while stepping out of the elevator.

***********************

Dinner was simple rich and warm thing that her mother had always managed to prepare both of them.

Amy couldn't find her self without the warmth of her mother smile or hugs or even encouragement.

After dinner, she knew she had no choice but to sit and watch Kevin as he unwrap the bandage to reexamine her wrist.

He had to be sure about it.

As she went back to her room to practice for once more on her music she realized that her ipod was missing, she could have lost it in the elevator or maybe at McLean's Clinic, she thought.

Luckily, she had the CD so she placed it in the player and started listening.

It didn't take Kevin 20 minutes to ask her to join him to the living room as he helped her in practicing her vocals.

That night her cell phone rang about hundred of times. Yet unfortunately, she left it in her room while she spent the evening practicing.

**************

"Sir Can I take your order?" the bar man asked him

"Black jack please" he mouthed his order, then checked his mobile for the tenth time that evening.

"She ain't replying?"

He looked at the blond man next to him, asking the question.

"Excuse me?" he asked him

"You have been trying to call this some one for over an hour, and still you never managed to talk to her."

"Well my friend had a slight accident and I am checking out on her." He replied

"I'll tell you man, you can't live with them you can't live without them, Carter.. Nick Carter."
The blond man's pulled his hand to shake him.

"McLean, AJ McLean." He replied

"Well McLean... Let me quote this line out of a childish song I come to know , you can't live with them you can't live without them , there's something irresistiblish about them, they made a monkey out of walking Kong."

"Beat me never heard such a lyric!" a smile came from AJ's mouth for Nick was singing the lyrics in a funny way

"Muppet Show, Kermit the frog feat, Wolf the Dog. It is a classic man"

"I never heard it before, but a good one, seems you are into music?!!"

"I live for it, I actually work here I am a night time DJ, and around day time I am a musical coordinator."

"Is that a real job! I don’t mean to offense you but I never heard such a thing!" DR. MCLEAN was surprised to hear about such a job

"Well my job comes between a choreographer and a DJ. I pick the music that you can dance and plays, you can say I am the one who manages to pick the good song people dance to in contests and not so cool large event… what about you!"

"I am doctor... Neurosurgeon…not so cool job but well paid"

"Tell me about the girl you are calling,"

"She is just a girl that might be a big trouble for me ..." A.J said with a sigh

"Why? is she married?!"

"Nah her brother is a bullheaded, high profiled doctor where I work, if he ever saw me talking to her I bet he'll kick the A*** outta me."


" it seems like the brother of the lady I am working with now, but let me tell you the girl I am working with is out of this world , she is a hell of a dancer, she sings in an angelic voice, Hey in three weeks we'd have this performance, you're welcomed to come."

"I wouldn't mind but I have to see if it would make through my so called work appointments

*************************

It was just another night passing by, Dr. McLean went back to him home he was glad that he wasn't called into ER because he would sure be drunk.
He kept on worrying on the girl he just met, Amy.

Chapter 3 by Ryanna


Another Tuesday came but this time Amy came little bit early to the hospital, she didn't know why her heart was going wild, she didn't understand why she decided to take the stairs instead of the elevator, she couldn't give a reason for not replying all of AJ's calls.

She wanted so much but she didn't know how to do so!

As she got finally to the forth floor she peeked through the corridor, Kevin was informing his secretary that he was going to see a patient, on the other end of the corridor there was AJ's office , and it was opened.

She waited Kevin as he took the elevator, then she headed with firm steps into McLean's office.

"Knock… Knock!" she looked through the half opened door

"Come in!"

The voice came to here ears so stiff and rigid; she wondered why that someone's voice changed in a week!

"Having a hard day Dr.McLean!" she said, anticipation building up inside her, she saw him turning his face from the window to hers

"I never thought I would see you anytime soon!" he said, he looked like a boy how had to grow up so fast, very sharp in his action yet innocent in his eyes.

"Gosh… I bet you are mad of me!" she looked at him stepped in.

"Not exactly Amy I was this close to lose a patient today." He informed her.

"Oh dear lord, is this patient ok now?" she looked worried. She saw his body falling on his seat.

"Yes she is, she is only 12 years old girl, gymnastic accident, she fell on the bar and she…"

She walked right to stand behind him, she didn't know why it felt right to do so but then, her hand went to his shoulders and started massaging them.

She could feel the tension that was building up in his shoulder getting an ease.

"AJ. You know that it is your job to try your best, never the less you had a problem today, no one's perfect."

She wasn't sure about her own reaction, because she never done this before, maybe couple of time she gave such a massage to Kevin sometimes Tim. But they were always her brother's. Touching him and being so close to him made her feel fever all over her body, a crazy feeling of strangeness.
She danced, sang, she's been around guys before, but they never gave her body such a reaction.

Silence fell between them.

"Why you never answered my calls Amy?"

"I didn't know what to say."

"Is it hard to pick it up and say hello?"

"Some how it was while Kevin is around."

He took her hand in his, turned to meet her.

She just gave him a hopeful look, and then she went down to her knees,

"I know for sure you both don't agree AJ. I dunno you have been so fully great with me and every time you rang or sent me a message it made me smile in happiness, but I can't make Kevin mad at me."

"Guess I was acting like a fool, because he actually paid me a visit the other day."
Her eyes grew wider,

"No he didn’t?"

"He did, at first he acted as a gentleman, and thanked me for helping me, then he warned me that if I laid my hand on you again without his permission he would be the first kickin my self out."

Amy had to keep her self form smiling but then "gosh AJ he would never say that he'd kickin your self out, he'll be more offensive,"

As she was finishing her words she realized that AJ was staring at her face.

"You would make a perfect Angel Amy, has any one told you about that" AJ told her

"Once dad called me his 'little angel' but that was long time ago." He could see sadness in her eyes how much he wanted to make her smile, she looked perfect smiling.

As she looked back at him again he was looking at her , her hands in his still , she tried to stand up and so he did

"Amy … can we … " he was trying to tell her something,

"Yes AJ?"

"I am free on Saturday, if you like to have dinner?" he asked her

"Well I don't mind that AJ," again she couldn't help not to smile.

******************

"Amy you are wasting time here.." Nick was the one with a voice shouting,

"You haven't practiced a little bit on the steps right??" he asked

Amy sat on the edge of the theater "Nick you know it is a hard step here, I am doing my best"

"No you ain't, come on you have to perform this Saturday. What is going on with you?"

"Nick… I am so busy and I have so little time." She answered , sometimes Nick got her really stressed out , he wanted her to do not only good, she had to be perfect.

"Come on Girl, I have been bragging about you around every one"

She looked at him, surprised, "you did what?"

"I have been bragging that I am helping you, come on, you are one of the best of whom I worked with, I even dared to invite some new friends of mine, don't make me regret it."

Nick pouted in front of her, he was a good actor too, not only good with music, but also with acting.

"Alright Carter but this Friday, you are going to give me time out of practicing, I have a date."
She looked at him affirming her words

"What is it with you guys; first my new friend calls off our meeting, and now you! Bet you both are dating behind my back"

"Dream on carter I wouldn't date a friend of yours not ever." She joked to him 

Chapter 4 by Ryanna


Amy never expected to fall in love with any one in 2 weeks, it was fast and crazy, she knew that she belonged with him.

Dr. Mclean on the other hand, was some one who was up to all her expectation, his manners were truly as the opposite of the deceitful looks he had; he was everything she wanted in her life.

She got used on calling him in late hours, talking about nothing, sometimes he would tell her about his day, and she would tell him about hers.

Many of those days she used to go out with him, not clubbing or partying, just having walks in the park, sometime doing simple things like laying on the sofa and watching a movie, others he would teach her all what she wanted to know about Irland.

She only wished that Kevin never knows about them.

Kevin has stated before that he didn't like the idea of his sister getting any relationship with Mclean, but he never knew that the relationship went deeper than he or they thought.
**********************

Amy and AJ did all they could have done while Kevin was busy or out of town, and for Amy all she saw that AJ was perfect.
She enjoyed the times he used to come to see her practicing, he even helped her with pronouncing the odd words in the Celtic songs Nick has choose her to sing.

At the afternoons he used to bring her lunch, some times reminding her of the importance of having a decent meal.

He felt that what ever she was about to perform he was included in, that it was part of his heart singing or dancing.

***********************

The three weeks that Amy was really busy practicing in, AJ was busy helping people and that earned him respect and good reputation around the hospital.

Even to Kevin's surprise he heard some of the nurses talking about AJ one day, ho hew managed to help one of the kids, and how he was great with the patient they were talking about how well mannered person he was, and that he was already taken by a nice cute lady, he thought it was a good idea to see for himself if Mclean was that good doctor every one was talking about.

He wanted to finish his work at the hospital really early, it was Amy's day, he was eager to see her performing, and he thought that maybe after this final round he would talk to Mclean then leave to drive Amy and his mother to the theater.
****************************

Chapter 5 by Ryanna


Amy was relaxing in AJ's arms, on his couch, in his office, they were talking about how could they end a prefect night such as this one, snuggling in each other's warm embrace in this cold late November.

The phone rang ,AJ couldn't help not to murmur some word that made Amy laugh, he stood and headed to answer the phone.

It was a bad time for he only had this hour to spend with Amy before he hurry to finish his chores.

"McLean" he answered then Amy could see his eyes widening in surprise, then heard him continuing, "Oh good day to you Dr. Richardson…., oh yes…., I would gladly take a look, when... Now! No I am not busy I am just in a mess still waiting them to assign a secretary you know… ok"

The moment Dr. Mclean spoke her brother's title Amy went Alert, if Kevin was coming here she was about to get busted, she didn’t want to be here when Kevin enters but the only way out is by passing his office.

Then all the sudden the door of the office was knocked

"I am glad that you found sometime Dr. Mclean" Kevin went inside the office to see Dr. Mclean trying to adjust his chair.

"Well I have some time, so what is it Dr. Richardson?"

"I want to show you this, the patient is in critical condition, and I would always like to hear an opinion from specialist."

Dr. Mclean was surprised, for that through out his 2 months working in this hospital, this is the first time he got such a great comment form Kevin Richardson.

Dr. Mclean took the file that was in Dr. Richardson's Hand.

"It seems that you don't have any other choice but to operate, but this is not easy you don't want to cause any more damage, right… would you mind if I did my own examine".

They say that there is always a first time for everything and this was the first time for AJ McLean working with Richardson, and he couldn't believe that he asked for it himself.

On the other side Amy was holding her breath so she wont be found out by her brother.  

As Kevin was about to leave and out of courtesy he was thanking AJ for his help, it made him feel rather awkward, but he had to comment about the scent that he just smelt, it was a strawberry candy, just like the one Amy adores. He looked at AJ.

"Dr. McLean I dunno but I think it would be little foolish but you smell rather childish with this candy scent you are having, strawberry, right?"

Chapter 6 by Ryanna

"Dr. McLean I dunno but I think it would be little foolish but you smell rather childish with this candy scent you are having, strawberry, right?"

AJ was almost sure they were busted, he was ready to make up a lie but then Kevin continued
"by the way my baby sister wears it daily, I think you should change it" He said that and then went out.

As Kevin went out of the office Amy couldn't stop herself from laughing as AJ took her hand and helped her out from under his desk.

"Gosh your perfume almost made us go into a trouble" said AJ as he was hugging her,

"Gosh I thought it was near but I thank God they gave you such a desk to hide under" she looked at him, how much she couldn't imagine her life with out him.

"Ok now sweet heart, I have to go on now, else he'll come back asking for more of it, I'll see you tonight ok."

Then as he was heading to the door he went back to her to kiss her lightly, "this one to save it for the show babe" and went out.

Amy just through herself back on the couch it was just perfect, because she loved him a lot and he just shared her the same feelings.


***********************

The audience was holding their breath as Amy was doing her part, the musical was called "another river to cross" it was a selective parts of Celtic music, it was telling a story of a man following his heart to find his perfect bride, fighting the demons of the wild forests dancing with the fairies, praying to find his lady, while a cross the wild river the princess was waiting for the knight of her dreams.

AJ was watching Amy from the fifth row, while the Richardson's sat on one of the galleries.

"That young girl is amazing!" said the lady who sat next to AJ, he smiled at her

"Don't I know about that, she is my girlfriend."

"Really! You are one lucky man, I bet she loves you a lot, that explains the lovely emotion she feels," she told him

"She does, she does," AJ told her agreeing, he was some kind a brat with lots of girlfriends but he never was a 'one girl's man'. And in the last month he has never went out with any other girl but her, it felt so funny, crazy and lovely feeling, though nothing really went on, except for the kisses they shared, it all seemed right.


From the gallery Kevin was extremely proud of his sister, all the sudden he felt the need to go to the men's room even through out his sister's best performance he had to go, as he excused his brothers and mother, he slowly stood up and for a last glance before he went he looked at his sister, but his eyes rested on the fifth row, were Doctor AJ McLean was watching the act.

He felt awkward maybe he was wrong, so he took the viewer from his brother's hand, he wanted to make sure he was right, there he was truly McLean, talking to the lady next to him, Kevin was trying to figure out what he was talking about, he wished he had really took that course in sign language, was he saying golfing or girlfriend, his heart beat went on flying, was Amy going out with this man? She should think twice.

************************

Chapter 7 by Ryanna

As the musical ended Kevin rushed before the rest of the family to the backstage, he already brought roses for his sister, yet he wanted to tell her how perfect she was.

He wanted to be there before anyone else.

He had a glimps of McLean leaving his seat and heading to the backstages, that was too much for him, in his mind he was determined to wreck his neck if he was dating his sister, his baby sister.

AJ was there in the backstage looking for Amy, he all the sudden felt nervous, the same kind of feeling he used to have when he used to get in trouble. Tried to look around to rationalize his feelings when he noticed Kevin entering the backstage area, it was red alert, and he had to avoid him.

He was still hovering around to find Amy

"Well I never thought I would find you here McLean!" the voice of Kevin hit his ears

"Dr. Richardson! I never thought we could meet tonight!" AJ pretended to be calm

"so what brought you back here, you know some one on the cast?"

Nice try Richardson, thought AJ , but not for me to fall for it.

"Actually my friend works here, we're going out after the show" said AJ half lying half telling the truth. Didn't Nick ask me to go out after the show? AJ thought.

"Kevin…"

His heart was now beating, god let this pass, he prayed

It didn't take Amy a second to know that Kevin was facing AJ, she knew that tattoo by heart.

He saw her hugging her brother, then as if she was surprised she looked at him

"Oh… Dr. Mclean! Glad to see you here, have you enjoyed the show?"

"It was pretty good, actually you surpassed with such a Celtic accent, I know couple of friends in Dublin that could fail in it, and you were great."

'Stop the shit' Kevin was about to say, he was this close to believe that his sister is dating this punk doctor.

"Kevin, is there anything?" Amy was worried , did AJ tell him anything.

Kevin's looks were almost turning into the piercing defensive look towards AJ when all the sudden…

"Hey Buddy… Glad you came after all."

Kevin turned to find Nick jumping through out the people in the room.

"How are you Carter?"

"OH Richardson, I bet you are proud of our work right?" Nick told Kevin

"I have never been less proud Carter," replied Kevin

Amy looked at both Nick and AJ, she didn't realize before that they knew each other,

"Nick was one of the first friends I had here; we worked on couple of ideas for this show even." Said AJ

"Too true… AJ is an expert in Celtic music, so are we going now?" Nick asked

AJ never been less grateful of going to a pub before, he hoped that Amy would hold on through out Kevin's interrogation night.

Nick led AJ from the crowed into a door in the backstage , first AJ thought it was the backstage's but then he found himself in some what of a control room, perhaps it was the equipments storage room.

Nick looked at him "Man, I forgot to bring something, wait me here I'll be back in a minute ok" AJ didn't have time to reply, for Nick just disappeared out of the room.

It only took 30 second before he heard the door open again.

"Gosh Nick, I never thought you'd be so quick" he said while still looking at some of the stuff that was in this room

"What if I told you it isn't Nick!"

He heard her feminine voice, her voice he turned to see her and there she stood, still in her simple Celtic pearl white dress, how he couldn't notice that she wore it when he was talking to Kevin, he thought, silly me I was trying to avoid him that is why. He responded to his own question.

His looks towards her made her feel shy, but in the same time in need for his embrace, so without thinking twice she ran to him.

He hugged her, showered her face with his kisses, then went back to hold her close to him, "I thought that it was over, I don't know, it felt crazy." She told him

"I thought he'd give you a hell of a time to find out if we were hanging out or not," he told her

"It is not his life any more AJ, I am already 21 I live with him and mom just because Dad made him promise that he'd take care of us, it is still wired, gosh how I miss you."

And again went back to taste his sweet kisses.

As she broke them off she smiled "I told him I am going to change and I might be late 'cause I don't know where they put my clothes."

"Girl you are such a good actress too, no wonder people fell for you!" he told her

Then she did this cute thing in his eyes tilting her head in shyness so her cheek touch her shoulder, it was something that did melt his heart.

"Amy there is something I need to tell you…" he was about to say something when all the sudden he heard her sneezing.

"Bless you babe"

"Oh dear me, I think I'll gave in to some cold." She said touching the tip of her nose, "I hate having such a thing." She completed.

"Then honey you should go and really change into something warmer, you'll freeze to death and I won't allow this now go," he ordered.

"Go I told you change, I'll call you once you got home and warmed your self in your bed ok, now go" he told her, and just before he opened the door he leaned towards her and kissed her again, but this time it was a passionate deep kiss.

Chapter 8 by Ryanna

After tucking Amy to bed Kevin went to the living room where his mother was doing another one of her fine needle table sheets.

"She is a sleep, little feverish, but sleep. I don't want her to leave the bed tomorrow; I'll see if I have something to make it easier on her, you know how flu should go" Kevin told her as he started looking in his medicine cabinet

"Darling, when are you going to stop babying your sister?" his mother asked him, putting her needle work a side.

"Moma I have to take care of her, I promised….." He was about to continue but then she gave him one look that made him look at her silently

"I know that you promised your father, but one day she would want to decide her own way, she is already 21 and you keep treat her like 6 years old child, I know you care about her but sooner or later she'll tell you that she has fallen in love and she want to move in his place, and in the end she will leave this place."

"Did she talk to you about that Moma? Is she dating some one?" he asked.

He was looking for a clue to tell him if there is someone in his sister's life.

"Not yet, she didn't say anything but you know mother's heart can't fail her, I can see it in her eyes, just the way I see it in your eyes when that Kristin calls, or this evening when you saw her in the theater"

"MOM… there is nothing between me and her." He went defensive.

She smiled at his reaction, for sure that hit a nerve here

"Kevin, I told you a mother's heart can't fail her, never the less let Amy grow, give her the space she needs."

"Moma I don’t want her to hang around the wrong guys, I have a feeling that she is hanging around someone that is no good for her, and I can't set and wait till I see her heartbroken, she deserves better than that"

He told her, while placing a bottle on the table and some pills.

"Those would make her feel little better, if she felt worst call me and I would see…." Again his mother interrupted his sentence.

"Since when you decide what is good and what is bad to her Kevin."

"Moma I am a doctor, I can describe her some flu medication" he looked at his mother.

"You know that is not what I meant, do you know anything about the guy you assume that Amy is dating?" she asked him.

He sat on the couch in front of his mother " Well I have this feeling that she is dating someone who works with me at the hospital, his name is Mclean, Alexander James Mclean, a neurosurgeon and he is half Irish, his reputation has exceeded him, I have already called some people in Dublin and they told me what kind of life he lived when he lived there, that is why he came here to work."

"Kevin.. Have you ever seen him drunk, having drugs or even in a misconduct situation? Did he earn himself such a reputation here?"

"No, but he has a child there, does she know about that, his child lives with his mother in Ireland and he is living here"

"Have you ever taken Amy to any of your trips to Europe before Kevin?" his mother looked at him, again through out her firmness she was filled with kindness.

"That was impossible, she was a child and I would never be able to ….. " he understood what his mother wanted to say, it was indeed hard situation, if Mclean loved his child he would never bring him or her to another country and another world without being sure that it is the perfect environment, it made some kind of sense to him that he left his child just across the ocean.

"Have you ever tried to hang around him, he is well mannered and any one who can socialize with Carter I think is worthy the trust, you know how picky is Carter, did you try to contact and trust him?"

"Moma … why are these questions?"

His mother was defending a guy she only met for five minute this evening and it made him feel jealous

"When you went to the university, I was told that you were having a wild life too, but did I let it break our relationship, no my dear, because I trust you, you should learn to trust Amy's choices, you have done the best you can, you are the kind of fathers she never had when she was growing up, but now she has grown up to be a beautiful lovable lady, now give her the wings she needs to fly."

How he loved the way his mother talked with them, she knew how to melt the ice with one sweet word, no wonder they stuck together for all those years, no wonder they all lived near her, not wanting to move to another city or another place.
Chapter 9 by Ryanna

It was the worst sneeze he ever heard on the whole clinical floor that Monday, so Richardson dragged his legs into Dr. McLean's office. He was sure if McLean continued sneezing like this he would chock himself or even hurt his lungs or heart out of such a powerful sneeze


"Good morning McLean"


Kevin saw that AJ was laying on the couch, some sweat drops were already forming on his forehead, AJ tried to set up and answer


'Morning Dr…." without even completing his word another sneeze came out, then it was followed by a fit of coughing, Kevin didn't wait another fit he went to AJ and started checking his pulse while he was gaining his breath back.



"McLean, it looks you have a very bad cold"



AJ tried to look at Kevin but his eyes went tearing from the light that Kevin was holding across his eyes.



"My girlfriend had it and here I am having it too, but I am fine it is just little bet coughing I can make it through" AJ told Kevin trying to set up again.



"I've never known that you had a girlfriend McLean! And Hell no you are not fine" Kevin answered as he pushed him to lay back.



"Well I don’t think I am breaking any rules here, and I can have a girlfriend right? Or is it against the hospital's policy to start dating some one," Another sneeze stopped him from even trying to fight Kevin's looks.



Even though AJ never liked any one to interfere with his work but as soon as the phone rang he found Kevin heading to it, he was glad that he didn't have to answer himself.



"Yes… No he is off today; he'll be back in couple of day, try calling Dr. Steadman alright."



AJ looked at Kevin, "Excuse me but I guess that call was for me?"



"and I am about to tell you that you have to leave now, before I call the management and telling them you are jeopardizing the health of your patients walking around with serious case of flue."



"Richardson you won't dare doing so!" AJ was about to hold Kevin's hand before it reaches the phone, but then he felt light headed he allowed himself to drop his weight back on the couch.



"Damnd.' Guess you are right." He hated to be defeated but it happened.



"I guess you have to find some one to drive you home, Mclean."



" I'll call Carter, I bet he doesn't have anything to do today." AJ told Kevin.



"On a second thought I shall take you home." Kevin said, he wanted to make sure that Mclean's girlfriend wasn't his baby sister.



As he was helping AJ to the car he was thinking, if the supposed girlfriend wasn't at his place then it is his sister that is dating this jerk, but if someone was there, he wont lose a thing.



He was driving silently as watching AJ trying to wiping his nose with the paper tissue and sneeze all the way. He was glad that AJ was not in a mood to fight him back.



He insisted on helping him up to the apartment even though AJ seemed to be uncomfortable, but that was Kevin's only chance to know the truth.



As AJ unlocked the door, another person's coughs came to their ears.



"Oh shit" said AJ and walked half swaying to the bed room. Kevin followed him as he heard him calling.

"Pat, are you ok?"
He saw AJ supporting his weight to the door wooden frame, so he helped him out then went inside the room.

On the bed he saw a lady, sand – blond hair, freckles on her face and for sure looking sick, but her condition was worst than AJ's.

Kevin allowed himself to check her out before registering a mental note that he should kick himself out for his suspicious mind.

He helped the couple into rest went to the nearest drugstore to get the proper medication then after making sure that both AJ and His friend Pat were resting warmly he guided himself out heading home.

After all he was pleased that the girlfriend he saw was another lady not his baby sister

 

Chapter 10 by Ryanna
Author's Notes:
this one is a shorty but hope you would like it
*******************

As he opened the office's door the last thing he could have imagined is the presence of Kevin and Amy in his office both at the same time, above the window there was this banner saying "6 months... you made it McLean!"


He looked surprised before realizing that also Carter was there, couple of the nurses and physicians that he was introduced to were there, he was really surprised.

"Wow.. to what should I owe this party my friends."

"Well Mclean. We just remembered that you were here for six months, so you survived the hard times here…" Kevin was smiling to him.

"Actually Dr. Richardson means that you are the first neurosurgeon that manages to stay in this hospital for six months." Elisia one of the nurses told.

"Really! Why is that?" AJ asked.

"Most of them look for higher salaries and a busy big city life, not like the one we have here." Thomas another doctor told him handing AJ a bottle of juice.

Amy in her heart was waiting for her own time to announce special news she kept for the past four weeks and it was eating her inside out.

But then almost everyone's pager rang spontaneously.
"ER... guys let's go" was AJ's voice that filled the office.

In no time the room got emptied , leaving Amy and Nick alone, Amy dropped her body on the couch, while Nick took his walk to the doughnut's box and picked a very creamy and chocolate coated one, Amy looked at him.

"Nick pick a one for me please. I am hungry too."

Nick looked at her, "is it that bad time of the month? let me guess you are caught up between your Kevin and him!" he sat next to her and handed her the doughnut.

"On the contrary he doesn’t care about it, when I told AJ about it he told me that Kevin met Pat and he is convinced that she is his girlfriend."

"Pat! His drop dead hot sister that came visiting from Ireland?" Nick was feeling amused by that notion.

She took a bite then after a while of silence" Nick I have been hiding this thing for over a month, and I don't know what to say or whom to go to" she looked at him, she was in need for his advice.
"Speak on girl you know that I am not just your dance buddy, I am your friend here."

Amy smiled back at him, "I haven't told any one but you Nick but I have to start my new project by the end of this month, which means I have 2 weeks to tell both AJ and Kevin, and Mom too! I feel stressed" she finally spilled what was on her mind.

**************

Chapter 11 by Ryanna
Later that night as Kevin got home he found the table set for two, he looked at his mother whom told him that Amy was again going out on a date.

"And who is that man!" he questioned "shouldn't we meet him and…"

"I met him" His mother said while placing the plates and the napkins right on the table.

"And who is he!" he was anxious to know.

"I promised your sister not to talk about it"

"Mother!"

"Now eat Kevin, you look pale for me"

"Mother!"

"Stop Mothering me, your sister has the right to live her life stop it, and eat."

Kevin knew that he wouldn't be able to hear or get any information about his sister's new boyfriend, and that irritated him.

***************

At the Irish restaurant, Amy and AJ were having their dinner, though everything was perfect, Amy wasn't there mentally, and even AJ wasn't drifting away too.

"Amy honey, what is it, are you ok!"

"AJ… I am ok!" she looked at him; she didn't realize that she was pacing out of space almost all the time.

"There is something on your mind, and you have been away form here for almost half of the evening!" he told her while playing with his glace of fine wine

"AJ… I have been keeping this thing from you and Kevin for the past couple of weeks because I know it would change the way my life is but I am still confused about it." She looked at him in the eyes.

"Amy, are you sick… pregnant or something?" he looked in concern, he knew that his relationship with her went far beyond the physical attraction and that they spent a lot of time together, more than any one could have imagined.

"I am not, if that would being relief for you, but I am leaving the town"

"WHAT?" AJ looked in surprise for the second time in this evening he got a huge surprise

"Why?" he asked.

"I got an offer to dance with flatley's, he has the best dancers and he is starting a new project, he heard about me and asked me to join the group."

"Shouldn't that be a happy news babe, I guess it was your dream!"

Amy didn't know how to tell AJ that she is not only leaving the town but also the whole country,

"I have to join the group with in the coming 3 weeks, in Dublin AJ, thought I can stay for a while with Pat, until we start touring."

She spoke her final words and looked at him; blank looks were over his face. She wondered if that news was upsetting him.

"I have to leave to Dublin, and I don't have any one there, the only person that I know there is her, I dunno, I would love to go there but in the same time I don't want to leave you, mother, and Kevin, but it is my dream, you know that"

She was already feeling homesickness from thinking about it.

"I think you should know something Amy, Pat is not my sister" He told her looking at her.

"She is not you sister? But you told me she was from your family and she is a McLean?" I don't get it AJ." She asked him feeling worried, hurt and confused.

"Patricia is my ex-wife Amy, she came in January to make sure that I have a suitable place for my child to stay in summer holiday." He told her, he knew that he had to tell her that secret he kept from her one day, but he didn't expect it to be hard.
She looked at him speechless, "She is your EX! How old is your child? Why didn’t you tell me this earlier?" she finally managed to speak.

"I didn't want you to leave me, I never wanted to lose you I wanted to see you and be with you while you accomplish your dream, I never wanted you to be hurt"

"AJ you are not answering my first question!"

"Michael is about four years old, I …." He was planning to complete but then she placed the napkin that was on her lap on the table stood and looked at him

"I don't think that I am feeling well AJ, I don't want to be here with right now, I am going home?" she didn't understand him, he never told her about it because he didn't want to hurt her but the pain that filled her was overwhelming, her heart kept telling her to leave because she loved him, she didn't want to lose all of that but she was hurt.

She walked to the door and didn't even go to the park where her car was, she waited couple of seconds then took a cab home.


Chapter 12 by Ryanna
Author's Notes:
another quick small update this night, hope you like it
As she was gazing out side the window she was filled with all the emotions that she never expected to feel, "How could he be this Rude!" she thought, "How could he hide this from me?! I thought he loved me enough to share me such a thing! Gosh he has a KID!"

Her head was about to explode from anger and pain, then she remembered that Pat girl spend more than 10 days with AJ at his house, anything could have happened between them, she is the mother of his child and it felt like it was a stab in the back.

The drive wasn't that long but it was filled with unexpected emotions.
She stepped out of the cab and went straight to the door, she filled blessed for the key she had, she didn't have to go home and face Kevin's eyes and questions, she wasn't ready to cry her heart out there.

After climbing couple flights she knocked the colorful door that was in front of her, she waited for couple of minutes before hearing someone coming at the door, then as he opened the door, she just held him so tight and started crying.



Nick thought that Kevin just caught the love birds on their romantic night out since Amy didn't want to talk about anything, he held her until she gained back her breaths.

He went to the kitchen to bring her something to drink when he heard the phone ringing, he decided to let it to the answering machine, never knowing that it might turn the nightmare into his apartment.

"Hey there Nick! Have you seen Amy? I think she is mad at me at this point, Gosh I told her about my son back in Ireland and she left I couldn't follow her since she took a cab, I am trying to call her but she is not answering her cell phone, and I don't think she is back home, I am waiting her to show up here but she didn't, call me if she is with you Nick."


She looked at him after hearing the call, "Did you know about his Kid?" she asked, "DID you know" she was mad at Nick and AJ right now, and nothing in the world would have made her forget about it, "Gosh Nick I thought you were my friend?" she continued

Nick knew that she was emotional but she wasn't giving him any chance to answer her, how could he tell her that AJ just told him about his child this afternoon, he wondered did AJ had the chance to show her the ring, to ask her to marry him, apparently she didn't see it , otherwise she wouldn't have acted this crazy way.

Before he even get to answer she grabbed her coat and left the apartment, he tried to follow her at the stairs but then she choose to ignore him, she was mad at every one around her.


Chapter 13 by Ryanna
Kevin wanted to sleep but he couldn't, he was worried, Amy didn't come back from that date and it was late, he was fighting his need to go and search for her, but he knew he was supposed to let go of her, she is a strong independent woman after all. "Hell I am not going to let her start this habit of having wild nights till the dawn; I am going to search for her." He told himself and started changing into his clothes. As he grabbed his jacket and keys he heard the doorbell rings, he wondered why didn't Amy open the door using her own keys, as he opened it he found AJ standing there, looking messy and soaked in water. "What is going on Alex? " Kevin asked him"Is Amy here Kevin?" AJ knew the moment he would knock on the door and by his question he would expose himself to Kevin, he would tell him that he has been dating Amy, but he wasn't ready to lose her, he wanted to tell the truth to every one including Kevin. "Amy is with her friends I guess she hasn't come back yet Alex" Kevin was feeling that horrible feeling once again, something was wrong and Alex was hiding it from him. **************  "HOW COULD YOU!"  She looked at the door, realizing that there stood her brother along with AJ. In her heart she wanted to hear more but she was afraid of what she might discover, did Kevin discover that she was in a relationship? Her world was crashing in front of her and she didn't know what to do.
Chapter 14 by Ryanna
 "Dearest MamaI want to apologize for leaving the way I leftI wanted to hide form all the pain that I had inside of me that I didn't know what to do and how to react, and I am sorry for that. I wanted to say my goodbyes before I leave but the things that happened that night made it crazier, I never expected Alex to tell Kevin everything, I didn't expect Kevin to hit Alex, I didn't expect Alex to have a child, and I felt cheated betrayed and alone, I should have talked to you more about it but I wanted it to be my little secret and I am sorry. I was offered to join this international dancing group earlier this year and I meant to tell you, but I kept postponing it , and then I was informed that I have to respond asap. I wasn’t sure about my decision but I wanted to dance all around the world. When I told Alex , well he confronted me that he was married and he had a child, what hurt me the most that he introduced us to each other and never bothered to tell me that she was his ex, I thought that she was his sister. And he never even had the courage to correct me , that wasn't fair of him.  And Nick, he knew it already and never bothered to tell me about it, I felt like all those years I trusted him went in vain, he was my friend, buddy and teacher, yet he never told me about something that meant the world to me, ,maybe I shouldn’t have made this big a deal out of it, but you know that I can't stop using my heart instead of my head, I always follow my heart no matter what. I was coming home when I saw AJ and Kevin talking and I was shocked to see Kevin's reaction, I never expected him to hit Alex that bad, I swear I could hear his knuckles smashing Alex's face. I hope they are not still mad at each other. I miss you a lot and I have lots of things to tell you but I don't know if you are mad at me or what? I can't stop thinking about you all, and I love you all, but I did need that time to go away, I wanted to breathe. Right now I am having a good time traveling around the world and people like our dances, I dance and sing as always, though my parts are minor one but at least I am doing the things I love the most. We are staying here in Berlin till the 4th of april , I would love to send you pictures of me, please don't hate me I love you sooo much Amy Ps don't tell Kevin or Alex about this letter please mama I don’t think I am ready yet to see them , still I love you"
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8641