No place like home for the holidays by Nijntje
Summary: So, wanna know how Brian found out about Santa, what Nick is gonna cook for the 25th of December and how they spent their Christmas back in 1996? Read this story and find out. Sorta.. Written for the AC-board's December Challenge.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group, Other
Genres: Drama, Humor
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1655 Read: 807 Published: 12/24/07 Updated: 12/24/07
Story Notes:

These were the rules:

Write a Christmas themed short story.

~ It should be no more than 4,000

~ It should have at least one anecdote about when the group first started out. A memory of some kind about a past holiday they spent together.

~ One of the boys should mention how they found out about Santa

~ Another boy (not the same one who mentions Santa) needs to describe a gift given to them by either one of the boys or a fan.

~ One of the boys needs to sing a totally original christmas parody (at least one line i.e jingle bells batman smells robin laid an egg lol) <-- and no, you cannot use that one!

~ One of the boys should give another boy a 'unique' gift that means a lot to them.

1. Chapter 1 by Nijntje

Chapter 1 by Nijntje
 “Frosty, the snowman is a pervert, yes indeed. Not only is he nudist, he always feeds the birds his seed.” 

“And Alex has arrived everyone..”  Howie laughed.

 

“Yups.. Hi guys!!”

 

“Geez, Jay.. There are kids in here!”

 

“I can’t help it that you have such a dirty mind, Brian.” A.J. laughed as he briefly lifted his hands. “I could’ve been singing about bird seed or something.” 

 

“Yeah right.” Nick snickered. “We all know you meant a different kind of seed.”

 

“What kind, uncle Nick?”

 

Brian shook his head as he let out a sigh. This was gonna be quite the challenge, and the afternoon had only just begun. “Uncle Jay was singing about flower seeds, Bay.”

 

“That’s right kiddo! Birds love those!” A.J. laughed. “Sorry Bri, I didn’t spot the kid, otherwise I wouldn’t have done that.”

 

“You would have and you know it.”

 

“True, true. So, what did I miss?”

 

“Not that much. We were waiting for you to arrive, actually.” Kevin smiled. “But, like always, you are late.”

 

“Am not.”

 

“Are too.” Four voices replied, in almost perfect harmony.

 

“Well, you can’t blame me.. Blame.. the weather!”

 

“What’s with the weather?”

 

“So.. Bri, tell us how did you find out about Santa?”

 

“Nice way to change the subject, Jay.” Nick laughed.  “But yeah, I’m curious too though. I can’t remember you telling us about that before.”

 

“You know what, I’ll bite.. Baylee, you go and see if you can help mommy , okay?”  Brian said as he ruffled his son’s hair. He watched his son run out of the room then turned around.

 

“I found out thanks to that man over there. I think I was only six years old..”

 

“Well, you haven’t known any of us for that long, except for.. Kev, you told him?!” Nick gasped. “YOU told him?”

 

“Yeah.. and boy, did I pay for that on Christmas morning..” Kevin smiled at the memory of finding pieces of coal in his stocking. Ofcourse he got his presents, but only after a long, long talk with his parents.

 

“Yes, he did. On Christmas Eve of all nights. He took me upstairs and showed me where our moms had hidden all the presents and then said there was no such thing as Santa Claus.. That the year before, when he came to my house, it was my uncle, his father.”

 

“So, how did you take it?” Howie asked.

 

“Well, at first I didn’t believe him ofcourse. But then I asked my mom.. whom at first had no idea what to tell me. But eventually she told me the truth. And I reacted to it by crying my eyes out all night.”

 

“You badass Kevin!” A.J. laughed.

 

“Like you are such a saint. Remember that gift you gave me a couple of years ago?!”

 

“Hmm.. Which one you talking bout, D.?”

 

Howie laughed. “Right, Nick. Most of his gifts are awful.”

 

“Are not!”

 

“Are too!”

 

“Are not!”

 

“Yes, they are, Jay. Remember that time you gave me an edible chocolate flavoured boxershort because you figured I needed to get laid and that was the only way I could get a woman to ‘eat’ me alive?!”

 

“Well, it worked right?!” A.J. laughed. “Right?”

 

“Gee guys, remember that time we were stuck on an airport the day before Christmas?” Howie quickly said, his cheeks suddenly flushing red.

 

“Avoidance behavior.. One of our new Backstreet qualities!”

 

“Shut it, Nick.”

 

“I remember, D. It was back in.. 1996, right?”

 

“I guess so, Kev.. I do remember it was in Germany.” Howie replied.

 

“I was so bummed we couldn’t get home.”

 

“I wasn’t.” Nick said with his voice barely above a whisper.

 

“What was that, Nick?”

 

“Nothing.” He replied while his mind drifted off to that day.

 

“I heard you. You said you weren’t.” Kev softly said. “Looking back, it was quite the magical day, wasn’t it, guys?”

 

“Yeah.” Brian said as he leaned back in his chair.

 

“True.” A.J. agreed. “But then, I thought it was absolute bullshit that they canceled our flight because of some snow. I mean, we get real snow over here, those were just a few flakes if you asked me.”

 

“Maybe, but then again, they hardly get snow in that area. And who knows what would’ve happened if they had let that plane take off?”

 

“When I close my eyes, I can still see us sitting there, waiting for news on our flight. They gave us blankets and coupons, remember?”

 

“Carter, Carter.. you thinking of food again?”

 

“No, just thinking of you complaining about the lack of a McDonalds on that airport.” Nick laughed. “But seriously, I felt like I was home even though I was in a foreign country. I mean, it was just the five of us and one seriously pissed off manager who left us on our own for a few hours. We only had each other that night and I knew I could rely on you if I got scared or something. That night, I felt safe for the first time in a long time. It’s just a good memory.”

 

“Awwwwwwww...”

 

“Shut up, Jay. Remember who fell asleep with his head in Kevin’s lap?” Nick grinned. “It wasn’t me, Brian or Howie.. and it wasn’t a stranger either.”

 

“Next subject! Did you get my gift Kev?”

 

“Yeah, it arrived about a week ago.”

 

“Good. I wasn’t sure if you’d get it in time.”

 

“Yeah. Thanks, Jay. It’s really cool. I’ll go get it so you guys can see it too. Be right back!”

 

“Okay, Kev. Open my gift now, Rok.”

 

“Alright.” Brian said as he reached for his gift. “Oooh, it’s heavy.” He smiled. “I wonder what’s in it!”

 

“Well, open it and find out!”

 

Brian unwrapped the box and a smile lit up his entire face. “Wow!”

 

“What is it Rok?”  Howie asked.

 

“It’s the Pixar DVD collection! Awesome! This is gonna be great when we go on tour again. Baylee and me can watch these together.’Fish are friends, not food.” Brian acted like one of the vegetarian sharks from ‘Finding Nemo.’  “Thanks so much, Nick.”

 

“Welcome.” Nick smiled, glad he made his friend happy.

 

“Alright, I’m back.” Kevin said as he sat down.

 

“Backstreet’s Back, ALRIGHT!” Brian sang. “Sorry, can’t help myself.”

 

“So, what did you get from the bald elf?”

 

“Fuck you Nick.”

 

“This.” Kevin said as he showed his present to his friends.

 

“Wow. That’s an ‘Unbreakable Tour’-T-shirt. I thought those weren’t finished yet.”

 

“They officially aren’t yet. I managed to get them to pre-send Kev one.”

 

“Cool.”

 

“I know, and you were saying something about my gifts.. What was it again?”

 

“They usually suck, but this one rocks.” Kevin smiled. “Thanks again.”

 

“No problem.”

 

“Hi guys.”

 

“Hi Leigh.” Nick, A.J. and Brian simultaneously said.

 

“Hi honey.” Howie said as he lifted his head and gave his former girlfriend, now wife a kiss.

 

“I don’t mean to disturb you, but.. our family is almost here and I need some help setting the table and in the kitchen.”

 

“That’s okay honey, I’ll be there in a sec, okay?”

 

“Sure. Merry Christmas guys!! Wish Leighanne and Kristin happy holidays from me and give Baylee and Mason a kiss for me, okay?”

 

“Will do. And Merry Christmas to you too, Leigh.” Kevin replied.

 

“I’ll do that. Merry Christmas, Mrs. Dorough.” Brian smiled.

 

“Merry Christmas, Leigh!” Nick and A.J. replied.

 

“Alright, I better get going as well. It’s almost time for Mason’s feeding.”

 

“Yeah, and Leighanne probably could use an extra set of hands in the kitchen.”

 

 “What are you gonna do this year, Jay?”

 

“I’m gonna make dinner for my mom and David for the first time ever.”

 

“Good God, you wanna kill them?”

 

“Oh please D. I’m not that bad.”

 

“Yes you are.” Brian laughed. 

 

“Right. What about you Nick? Where are you gonna spend Christmas?”

 

“Right here. Aaron and my sisters are coming here. Thankfully they’re gonna bring most of the food. I only have to cook the turkey.”

 

“Only the turkey?! That’s one hell of a job.”

 

“Nah, it’s not. I only have to reheat it really. I got it at a fully-cooked-turkey-drive-through. So, no hours in the kitchen for me.” Nick grinned. “Smart huh?”

 

“Yeah.. I just wish there was one here.” A.J. sighed. “So, Merry Christmas guys and next year we’re gonna celebrate together okay? Cause this kinda sucks ass if you ask me.”

 

“We’ll be there! Merry Christmas guys.”  Kevin waved. “Enjoy your presents.”

 

“Count us in! On one condition though, A.J. will not be anywhere near the kitchen around dinner time. Merry Christmas everyone and I hope you like the gifts Leigh and I got you and I pray there is no edible underwear in the ones we got from you.”

 

“I agree on all of D.’s points. We’ll be there wherever we decide to celebrate. Gotta go. Have a merry Christmas guys!”

 

“Bye guys. And D. I wouldn’t be so sure about the underwear thing if I were you..” Nick smirked. “Happy holidays everyone and til the next internet-meeting!” He waved at the webcam as he saw his friends sign off.

 

He held back a little sigh. He knew the song that stated there is no place like home for the holidays. He thought it was crap though. Home had nothing to do with it. It was all about the ones you were with. That’s what is important at this time of year. That.. and ofcourse the amount of presents under the tree.

End Notes:

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays everyone!

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8760