Shades of Blue by sweet18_2003
Summary:

 

Photobucket

Bullied his entire life and invisible to his family, Brian just wants to fit into the cruel world of high school. Feeling as if his life can't get any worse, Brian reaches out for help to those he feels he can count on the most. What he doesn't know however, is if his cries for help will be enough before he allows himself to give up completely and drown into a non-existance that he feels he is already a part of.

 

*graphic resized by mods due to size regulations* 


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Brian, Group
Genres: Alternate Universe, Drama
Warnings: Death, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 13411 Read: 12765 Published: 01/25/08 Updated: 01/30/09

1. Chapter 1 by sweet18_2003

2. Chapter Two by sweet18_2003

3. Chapter Three by sweet18_2003

4. Chapter Four by sweet18_2003

5. Chapter 5 by sweet18_2003

6. Chapter 6 by sweet18_2003

7. Chapter 7 by sweet18_2003

Chapter 1 by sweet18_2003
Author's Notes:
New story I've been playing around with for awhile now. Please let me know what you think! :)

Chapter One

Brian Thompson grabbed his backpack as he ran down the stairs of his home, taking them two at a time. He could smell the eggs, bacon and pancakes that his mother was making for his father before the man left for work. He, on the other hand, would have to fend for himself. His mom never made him breakfast anymore. In fact, he was convinced that she didn’t know he was there to begin with. It had been this way ever since he’d started high school. Here he was, seventeen, and still looked over.

 

Going to the pantry, Brian stepped around Mrs. Thompson to grab a package of strawberry pop tarts. He headed towards the door, taking his keys in hand.

 

“See you later.” he called to his parents.

 

Waiting for a moment for a response, Brian realized he wasn’t going to get one. He slipped out of the doorway making his way to his 1985 Honda Civic. Sticking the keys in the ignition, the car rumbled but didn’t start but until the third try, and finally he was backing out of the driveway and on his way to the local coffee shop before making his final stop to school.

 


With a heavy sigh, Brian drove as if in a trance. It was only Tuesday. There were still four full days ahead of him. It seemed like the weeks never ended and weekends never came. Days merged in to one another without a break. There was never a break. That was exactly what he needed though. An escape from reality to just kick back and relax. Refresh himself and his mind so that he could go back to doing everything full force and actually not mind it anymore.

 

Before he knew it, Brian was pulling in to the parking lot the Java Jolt Café. He got out of the car, not even caring to lock it up as he walked inside and ordered his usual double shot espresso mixed with milk and some chocolate, vanilla and caramel sauce, iced down in to the perfect mixture. It was enough to wake him up and keep him going for the entire day and even some early hours in to the morning while he finished up his homework. It was just what he needed to give him a jump start to the mornings that he had a hard time even pulling himself out of bed to begin with. It was his every morning ritual.

 

As the cashier handed Brian his drink, he smiled faintly and thanked her, but she hardly acknowledged his presence as she turned around to wipe down the work station behind her. Taking the drink, he grabbed a paper and retreated to an empty table in the corner of the café. Looking around, it was noticed that he was surrounded mostly by business type people and college students in the half full place. He felt out of place, ducking his head in to the paper to read as he took his first sip of the rich liquid.

 

In the top, right hand corner of the paper on the front page, there was a bright colorful picture of a sun in a vibrant yellow. Next to the picture were the words ‘clear and sunny.’ Brian looked outside. Sure enough, the sun was bright and high in the sky without a single cloud to cover up its beauty. He hadn’t even noticed until then. It was an unknown pleasure in Ohio to see the sun, only happening sparingly. The other nine tenths of the time, it was gloomy and likely raining, matching his usually somber mood.

 

“Finally.” Brian breathed, hoping that the sun lasted the entire day. Maybe it would improve his mood. Maybe.

Reading the major stories on the front page, Brian continued to take small drinks of his drink. It wasn’t until somebody tripped, spilling their drink all over him, that he looked up, his shirt and pants soaking wet, the pages of the paper dripping. He said nothing, but he saw a young girl standing before him, holding a near empty cup, trying to stifle a laugh. He recognized her as somebody from his school, in the more popular crowd. A sophomore, if he recalled right.

 

“Oops…” she finally let out a heartless laugh, ‘Sorry.”

 

Brian could tell that she wasn’t really though, and without another word, or even offering to help him, she left the café, leaving Brian behind. He sighed, knowing that there wasn’t enough time for him to go home and change, and he’d have to go around school with brown stains all over his clothes. It wasn’t like anybody would notice anyways, and those who did would tease and ridicule him. Just like every other day.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Making his way though the halls, Brian hung his head low in shame, trying to go by as invisibly as possible. He could hear groups of friends chattering amongst each other, laughing and having a good time in their last free minutes before class started. He listed half-heartedly, and found himself wondering what it would be like to carry on a conversation like that, and have people to fall back on in times of need as well as somebody to call a true friend. Somebody to care.

 

Letting out a pitiful sigh, Brian reached his locker, putting in the combination just as something hit the back of his head. On the inside, he winced, however on the outside, he refused to let anybody know that it bothered him. It would only provoke them to take things a step further. He’d finally learned that in the sixth grade. And sure enough, after a few more objects were thrust his way, with sinister laughter in the background from his attacker, they finally left, calling him names along the way that he’d heard all to many times before.

 

“Why do I even bother…” Brian muttered to himself, taking his books from his locker and sliding them in to his torn and tattered blue backpack.

 

“What was that?”

 

Brian looked up to see Howard standing next to him. He swallowed as he stood up, forcing a smile for the only person who ever paid any good attention to him. Brian wouldn’t go as far as to say he was a friend, because Howard was on the volleyball team of the school, meaning he was fairly popular. However, he would say that they were acquaintances. Howard had always been nice to him, never caring what anybody thought when he spoke to the loner.

 

“Nothing…” Brian replied, not wanting to complain to his classmate about his life’s problems and everything that came with it, “Just got off to a wrong start this-morning.”

 

“I can see that,” Howard laughed politely, “I have a spare change of clothes in my gym locker, if you want to use them,” he offered, “That way you wont have to go around like that all day.”

 

Brian shook his head, his eyes still on the ground in shame, “No…I um…I wouldn’t want to burden you.”

 

“Trust me…it wouldn’t be any trouble at all,” Howard insisted, “Meet me after first period by the gym and I’ll have something for you.”

 

Giving Brian a pat on the back, he walked away. Feeling no real emotion, Brian didn’t know if he should feel relieved or humiliated about being the charity case of Howard once again. He didn’t have much time to really think about it though, for the final bell rang. Groaning, Brian realized that once again, he was late. With that in mind, he began to run down the hallway in the direction of his first period history class. As he swung open the door that had already been closed, Brian hung his head low as me made his way to his seat in the middle of a lecture. He could feel all eyes on him as his teacher stopped speaking. Brian sat, looking up at a handful of his peers smirking, and worse yet, his teacher, Mr. Richardson, staring at him with eyes full of sympathy and a small smile on his face.

 

“Everything okay, Brian?” he asked kindly.

 

“Yeah.” Was Brian’s one word response as he pulled out his notebook, ready to take notes

 

Mr. Richardson paused only a moment longer, concern filled eyes on his student whom he knew was tormented before continuing on. As Brian tried to calm his racing heart, he swallowed away his jumbled nerves and humiliation just as somebody muttered “Teachers pet” somewhere behind him in the form of a cough. Seconds later, he felt something hit his head as soon as the teacher turned his back towards the class. Brian just ignored it as he tried to put all of his concentration into the only class he enjoyed, hoping that he could get through the rest of the morning without being bullied like every other day of his pitiful life. Deep down, he knew it was wishful thinking though. Nothing would ever change. The only thing he had to look forward to were the clean clothes that Howard had promised him at the end of the fifty minute period. Brian rolled his eyes to himself at the thought. How sad his life had become, and it only seemed to keep on spiraling downward towards disaster. He could only hope that somebody would sense his bleeding heart and pull him up before he suffocated on the pressures of being a teen in the cruel world of high school. Brian wasn’t counting on it, for nobody had yet and he doubted anybody ever would.

Chapter Two by sweet18_2003
Author's Notes:
sorry it took so long for the update...but here is Chapter 2. Thanks for all the feedback on 1! You guys are my inspiration to get another chapter out! Please let me know what you think!

Chapter Two

 

    “Brian, could I talk to you for a moment?”

 

    Brian sighed, stepping aside to let the rest of the class exit the room before he went to Mr. Richardson’s desk. He got a few sneers and discrete kicks in the shins from classmates and he tried hard not to let it show that it got to him. Finally, the last of his peers was gone, and Mr. Richardson shut the door behind them. Suddenly, Brian started to feel nervous. Why would his history teacher want him to stay? It could only mean one thing…

 

    “Please, take a seat.”

 

    Brian did as he was told, his heart hammering in his chest. It wasn’t that he was afraid of Mr. Richardson. He was his favorite teacher, by far. The thing was, the class already thought of him as being a teachers pet and thought that the man went out of his way to be extra kind towards the loner solely because he felt sorry for him.  Therefore, Brian tried to avoid any extra, unnecessary interaction with him. To him, it would make life a whole lot easier…until now.

 

    “How are you doing, Brian?”

 

    “Alright, I guess.” Brian lied, fidgeting slightly with the pencil he held within his fingers.

 

    “Are you sure?” Mr. Richardson pressed, concern in his green eyes, “You were late this-morning, which you never are, and well…” he nodded towards the disaster that had dried to Brian’s shirt.

 

    “Oh...that.” with a shrug, Brian felt sick to his stomach all over again. Howard had promised to loan him a spare set of clothes for the day after this period. He’d lost his chance of looking somewhat normal for the day. Suddenly, Brian felt a slight resentment towards his teacher for only a second before reminding himself that the man had no way of knowing what was going on. Not unless he clued him in on it, which wasn’t going to happen, “It’s nothing…just had an accident on my way here this morning.”

 

    “Maybe Alex has something you could wear?”

 

    Brian snorted. Alex was his younger brother, by one year, and far cooler than he could ever even dream of being. Everybody loved Alex, and very few even knew that they were related. His brother made if very clear that nobody was to know. Ever.  Alex as a part of the baseball team, soccer team,  in the drama club, as well as choir. He got his name out there and even the senior girls had a crush on him. Women that could pass as supermodels due to their flawless looks and perfect bodies. People knowing that the two were brothers could only do one of two things. It could hurt Alex’s reputation or help Brian’s. Alex wasn’t willing to risk his own at the chance of helping out Brian. That’s just how it was.

 

    “Doubtful.” Was all Brian replied with miserably, not mentioning the fact that although they were similar in height, Alex was on the extremely thin side and he was, well, of a ‘healthier’ size. Not fat by far, just not Alex, “What’s the real reason you wanted to talk to me, Mr. Richardson?”

 

    “Honestly, chess club starts up in two days and I noticed you hadn’t signed up to be on the team this year. You’ve been on it since you were a freshman at this school, and one of the stars. I was wondering if you missed the deadline. If it was a mistake, I’m sure we can work something out so you could…”

 

  “It was no mistake, Mr. Richardson,” Brian managed to interrupt, ‘Everybody knows chess team is for dorks and losers. Being on it won’t exactly help me out any.”

 

    “It will be a chance for you to interact with your friends…”

 

    Brian snorted, “Some friends…” he muttered, not mentioning that even they picked on him, “I understand you’re trying to help…really, I do…but I don’t need it. I’ve managed this far on my own. I can get by.”

 

    “Very well,” Mr. Richardson smiled sympathetically again at Brian as he stood up, struggling to swing his too heavy backpack over his shoulder, “If you change your mind, you know where to find me.”

 

    Brian nodded his thanks, avoiding any type of direct eye contact with his teacher as he made his way out of the room and to his next class without a late excuse that Mr. Richardson had been reaching out to hand him. Although he knew Mr. Richardson was only trying to be kind and help him out, Brian at that moment hated his teacher for meddling and reminding him of how much of a misfit he really was. Once more, he wished that he could trade places with Alex, having a taste of what it would be like to be cool. To be wanted. To be loved.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

    “Hey, Brian! Wait up!”

 

    Brian tensed as he started to walk faster, not turning around to see who his predator was. Any lost time could mean extra pain for him. The day was only half over, lunch just ending, and he’d gotten away with just a few elbows into him in passing and a couple of kicks in the shin so far. It had been a good day. He wanted to keep it that way.

 

    “Brian…wait!” the voice called again, his footsteps picking up quickly behind Brian, “Slow down.” The male sounded almost desperate to get to him.

 

    Breathing heavily, Brian picked up pace even more into a half jog, half walk. He wasn’t quick enough though, for the male who’d been after him put his hand on Brian’s shoulder firmly enough to stop him. When the male spun him around, Brian just squeezed his eyes shut, ready to take the blow he figured was coming his way.

 

    “Bri…relax…it’s me. I’m not going to hurt you.” The male sounded friendly, a slight laugh in his voice.

 

    Slowly, Brian opened his eyes one by one, relieved to see Howard standing before him. Suddenly though, he felt foolish for running from the one person who’d always been kind towards him.

 

    “Here…you never met me after first period to get these.” He handed a bag out to Brian that contained a pair of jeans and a polo shirt.

 

    ‘Thank you,” Brian blushed, taking the bag in shame, “I um…I owe you.”

 

    “Don’t worry about it,” Howard promised, “So, are you ready for that history test? I hear its supposed to be killer.”

 

    “I guess so…” Brian muttered, “I haven’t studied much. I probably should tonight.”

 

    “Same here. Between working and class, I can barely keep a B average.” Howard laughed, and Brian smiled politely, “So, do you want to come over after school and study since the test is tomorrow. It’s our last chance.”

 

    Brian got an image of him going over to Howard’s house, having the entire volleyball team there to pound his ass into the ground. Deep down, he knew the gentle man would never do anything to cause him harm. He was still paranoid however, of a set up. Being skeptical of everything was what got him through. Before he could respond, a few classmates made comments to Howard about interacting with himself, which Howard ignored completely, brushing them off by turning his back towards them.

 

    “No…I wouldn’t want to impose.”

 

    “None at all,” Howard insisted, “I have to study anyways, and my girlfriend is out of town this week.” He mentioned his college girlfriend,Heather, “Meet me after school in the parking lot and you can follow me over to my house, okay?”

 

    Brian just nodded, unable to refuse the offer again. It had been years since he’d had any type of social outing, and even if it was just to study, Brian was looking forward to it. Howard pat him on the shoulder as he started heading to his next class, leaving Brian to stand there alone again wondering what had just happened. Although it was just one small gesture out of kindness, he wondered if this was what it was like to have a friend.

   

Chapter Three by sweet18_2003

Chapter Three

 

    “I don’t know about you, but I could sure use a study break.” Howard stated, closing his history text, a pencil in the binding to use as a place holder, “You up for a snack?”

 

    Brian looked up distractedly, “Um, yeah, sure…” his voice trailed off as he stood up, stretching his stiff joints from the past 3 hours of tedious working, hunched over a book and notes.

 

   Pulling out a bag of chips from under his bed, Howard opened it up, throwing it in between them. Reaching under his bed again, he pulled out two cans of Sprite, rolling one in Brian’s direction as he popped the tab on the other, taking a long sip of the warm soda. For a long moment, Brian just stared, unsure of what to do.

 

    “Dig in,” Howard instructed, grabbing a handful of chips, stuffing them into his mouth.

 

    Opening his own can, Brian took a drink timidly. Without knowing if he was supposed to, he reached into the bag of chips, taking a couple out. It was one of the first times in years that he’d been invited to do something, and most of the time, that resulted in him being public joke and humiliation.

 

    “So I was thinking of having Alex come over after we study to hang with us,” Howard mentioned, “We could play some ball or something.”

 

    Brian’s eyes grew wide in terror, knowing he couldn’t tell Howard who to invite over and who he couldn’t. The one thing he had in his mind though was bolting before the other male arrived, giving him a chance to free himself from the ridicule and bullying that would come his way. If it were to be just himself and Howard, he would be willing to make a fool of himself, beings he was the most uncoordinated person ever to grace the planet. He knew Howard wouldn’t make fun of him. If Alex came over, it would turn into a blood bath, ending in him curled in a bleeding ball shielding himself from kicks and punches.

 

    “Alex is a great guy…I think you two would get along really well. I know he’s a couple of years younger than us, but he’s pretty cool.”

 

    “He’s an ass.” Brian muttered.

 

    “Excuse me?”

 

    “Alex…he’s cruel. I know he’s your best friend and all…”

 

    “Yeah…” Howard looked confused now, “Bri, you are not making any sense at all.”

 

    Brian didn’t speak at first, afraid he’d insulted the only person who had ever given him a chance. He then cursed himself for not having enough confidence to know that if Howard were going to turn his back on him, that it would have happened long before this. The thing was, Brian had no self esteem at all, and he knew that. Instead of bowing his head and ducking away like a coward though, he held his head high, staring Howard right in the eyes.

 

    “Why are you friends with him?” he asked, his voice coming out meeker than he would have liked, “Why do you hang out with him?”

 

    “I don’t know…we get along pretty well. We worked together last summer…I really think you two would get along also. He’s not a judgmental creep like the rest of the school. I mean, sure, he’s a jock…but…”

 

    “He’s worse than the rest of the school.” Brian interrupted, his voice coming out firm and strong.

 

   “Okay…” Howard let his voice trail off, “How would you know if you don’t give him a chance?”

 

    “I’ve given him plenty of chance.”

 

    “How so?” Howard questioned, wanting to get to the bottom of Brian’s sudden strange behavior. The usually even tempered man was starting to get defensive rather quickly, worrying the peacemaker, who was only trying to help.

 

    Brian didn’t answer at first, knowing he owed Howard an explanation for this strange behavior. At the same time though, he didn’t appreciate being drilled for answers that he didn’t know if he should be answering or not.

 

    “Tell me something,” Howard asked, breaking Brian’s concentrations, “Your whole life, people have judged you without getting to know you. Aren’t you doing the same thing to Alex?”

 

     “No, because I know how he is. I know him better than the anybody else.”

 

    “How?”

 

    “I cant….I’ve sworn I wouldn’t tell anybody.”

 

    “What?”

 

    Brian paused, sensing that Howard was getting impatient with him very quickly. If Howard and Alex were as good of friends as he thought they were, then Brian knew for a fact that Alex would find out that the secret had been spilled. He looked away, contemplating on whether or not he should tell Howard the information on why he knew Alex better than anybody else and how his best friend was also Brian’s worse enemy. Apparently, he took too long in deciding though, for Howard spoke up with a great irritation in his voice.

 

    “You know what…whatever. Make your assumptions.” Howard dismissed the subject, “Let’s just get back to studying for this test.”

   

    Suddenly, Brian’s heart rate started to speed up, knowing he was risking having Howard pissed off at him. Images of his classmate making him give him his clothes back and making him drive home in nothing but his boxers came to mind. Knowing he couldn’t risk that kind of humiliation, Brian blurted out the secret he’d been forced to keep since the fourth grade.

 

    “Alex is my brother.”

 

   Howard looked up, the expression on his face saying that he’d had no idea. And for some reason, Brian felt better even though he knew that this would change everything. For once though, somebody knew and understand just why he was so fearful of the wonderful Alex.

 

   “Alex is your brother?”

 

    “Half brother…” Brian muttered, the words coming out in one breath. This was another secret he held.

 

    “Half brother?”

 

    Brian nodded, “His mother died…my father cheated on my mom with this Latin woman, who was heavy into drugs. She was an illegal immigrant. Anyways, she died of an overdose and that’s how my mom found out about his infidelity. They went through some counseling and decided together to raise Alex along with me. He was only a year old when he came in. I was three.

 

    “That explains why he looks different…” Howard murmured, “I mean, I know you have the same last name…but it’s a very common last name. I never even thought about it.”

 

    Brian nodded again, “Nobody knows. He’s made me swear I wouldn’t tell anybody, afraid I would ruin his reputation.”

 

    Howard was silent for a long moment. Everything was finally starting to make sense now. Unexpectedly, he was also starting to regret being such good friend with somebody who made Brian feel less than worthy. Images in his mind disturbed him, imagining all of the physical abuse that Brian endured as a result of Alex. He didn’t know if it would do any good, but Howard knew he had to try to stop this.

 

    “Please don’t say anything.” Brian almost pleaded.

 

    “Yeah…I won’t.” Howard promised blankly.

 

    He already knew though that he would be breaking this promise. What he didn’t know what how much worse things would get for Brian as a result of it.

Chapter Four by sweet18_2003

Chapter Four

Howard stared at Alex as his friend pulled a stack of books from his locker, stuffing them into his backpack. He heard the words that the man was saying, but wasn’t truly listening. The only thing racing through his mind were the words Brian had told him two nights before. In fact, every time he had hung out with or talked to his best friend since the confession, it was all Howard could think about. He wondered just what went on between the brothers when nobody was there to witness it. He wondered what kind of bruises and scars, both emotional and physical, that Brian felt forced to hide from the world. More yet, he wondered just what Alex had threatened if his brother told the secret of them being related.

“Are you even listening to me?”

Howard looked blankly at Alex, his thoughts interrupted. He couldn’t recall one thing that his friend had just said, but was afraid to admit this to him.

“Of course.”

“Right…” Alex rolled his eyes, “Then what was I just talking about?”

“Uhhh…” Howard quickly tried to think of any sort of words that would save him, but came up short with nothing more than a shrug to offer.

 

“What the heck is with you today? I’ve never seen you so…out of it.”

 

Howard swallowed a hard lump that had formed in his throat, unsure of how to go about this conversation. He could see how terrified Brian was of his younger brother, knowing that he had to go about the situation delicately. Over the past days, he’d wracked his brain for the best possible way to bring the topic up, not one thing seeming good enough or cautious enough. Knowing something had to be done though, Howard took in a deep breath, just saying the first thing that came to his mind.

 

“Why didn’t you say anything about Brian being your brother?”

 

Howard winced when he saw all of the color drain from Alex’s face. It was soon replaced though with a full color of fury as the man’s eyes narrowed and he dropped his backpack, fists already balled at his sides, his breathing becoming heavier and more pronounced.

 

What?

 

“Why didn’t you tell me that Brian…”

 

“Shut up,” Alex barked, looking around frantically to make sure nobody nearby could pick up on the conversation, “Don’t go announcing that crap. How the hell did you find out?”

 

‘That’s not important…” Howard tried, knowing immediately that he had made a mistake of even bringing the topic up, butting into business that wasn’t his.

 

He told you, didn’t he?” Alex raged, his fury growing by the second, “I’m going to kill the little…”

 

Why does it matter so much if anybody knows?” Howard interrupted

 

“Because he is a social retard,” Alex heaved out, “He’s a loser. If you haven’t noticed, we’re in a much higher social circle and are popular and liked. If people knew…do you know what that would do to me and my reputations?”

 

‘Who cares,” Howard rolled his eyes.

 

“I do…and you should too,” Alex grumbled, “I know you hang out with the freak. Do you know what it’s doing to your reputation? Mine can still be saved…but I’m afraid for you, its going to be too late if you don’t straighten your act up and remember which social…caliber you are in.”

 

“Again, who cares?” Howard challenged Alex, “Do you really think that anybody is going to care about what we were or who we were in high school?” he didn’t wait for a response, “You may not know this yet, but once we are done here, in the real world, nobody really cares, and the ones who think that people still do, are the ones who fail in the end.”

 

“Whatever,” Alex grumbled, standing his ground, “Losers like that…thing…need to know where they stand. They are nobody. Brian is a nobody.”

 

“He’s your brother,” Howard defended, “And whether you like it or not…he always will be.”

 

Alex rolled his eyes, anger still surging through his veins, his fists still balled up as if he were ready to take a swing at something. Howard didn’t know what the other man was thinking, or if he really even wanted to know.

 

“If you tell anybody, I swear I will beat you just as bad as I do him for telling.”

 

Howard just shook his head sadly, seeing a whole new side to the person he had once called his best friend. He didn’t like the side, wishing he’d had more faith in Brian, believing his accusatory words over his own doubts that the man had only been saying the things he did to get some sort of attention. He could now see very clearly though, that every word the loner had said was true, and it sickened him.

 

“I should have known better than to call you a friend. Brian was right. You’re pathetic.”

 

Once more, Alex’s eyes narrowed as his mouth twisted into an expression of rage. He brought his fist up, making contact with Howard’s face in one good punch that sent him plummeting to the ground in pain.

 

“If you go telling on me, I swear, I will make you pay.” Alex seethed, giving Howard a hard kick in the gut.

 

Standing to stare for only a moment with a smug expression written in his features, Alex walked away, leaving Howard a bloody mess on the ground, clutching his stomach and groaning in pain.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

As he stared at his reflection in the mirror, Howard sighed. His face burned in extreme pain, his eye and mouth already starting to swell. A nice array of black and blue were beginning to decorate his eye, and now dried blood crusted around his mouth. Shaking his head sadly, Howard let out a bitter laugh.

 

“I try to do something right, and this is what I get.”

 

He snorted at the irony of it all. He didn’t hold a grudge against Brian at all for his brothers’ violent reaction. He didn’t even regret the confrontation, for it let him see the true colors of Alex Thompson. More so, he now knew a fraction of what Brian went through, likely on a daily basis. All Howard could do though, was shake his head sadly. He had been put in a tough position. If he went to the head of the school, the most that would happen to Alex was maybe a weeks suspension, if he could prove that the man had been the attacker. Were the threats Alex had promised really worth it when a slap on the wrist would be the justice of the punishment?

 

“Please don’t let him hurt Brian too much…” Howard pleaded aloud.

 

“Don’t let who hurt me?”

 

Howard whipped around to see Brian standing within the shadows of the dimly lit bathroom. The way he was hunched over, with his head hanging low made him look so timid that it almost broke Howard’s heart for the guy. He now understood though why Brian had pleaded with him not to say anything to Alex, knowing he had betrayed a very unique trust that Brian had in him, not knowing if it would ever be replaced again. Guilt suddenly overcame Howard as he realized that he would have to be truthful with Brian. He at least owed him that much.

 

“Alex…” Howard admitted with only a moments hesitation, and he saw Brian’s bright blue eyes widen in fear and questioning, “I…I’m sorry, but I…” Howard swallowed, not able to speak aloud his words of disloyalty.

 

“What?”

 

Howard didn’t speak at first. He didn’t know how to, for he knew that he was the only person in the world that Brian even somewhat trusted. He wanted to remain that friend, because everybody needed at least somebody. So with a large sigh of regret, it was Howard’s turn to duck his head low in shame for the confession he felt compelled to admit.

 

“I asked him about what you told me…” he swallowed, “About why he never mentioned you two being brothers.”

 

“Why?”

 

Howard looked up, expecting to be yelled at. He felt he deserved to be yelled at, the calm reaction taking him by surprise. Then again, it was Brian. He realized that the kid probably didn’t know how to defend himself and had not the confidence to do so anyways.

 

“I thought…I thought that it would make a difference,” Howard explained, “I thought I could stop him from doing…whatever he does.”

 

Brian looked terrified, like a deer caught in headlights unable to move. He was paralyzed in fear, not knowing which way to turn next. There were no safe roads. Only dead ends that would eventually lead him to something worse than the previous path.

 

“It will only make things worse,” Brian cried out, “I…I told you that.”

 

“I know that now,” Howard sighed, “Anyways, we’re not on speaking terms right any longer.”

 

This took Brian by surprise, but then a knowing look came over his face, causing his features to soften the slightest bit as he let his guard down.

 

“Did he do that to you?” Howard just nodded his head, “Why?”

 

“For standing up for you. I told him that he was pathetic.” Howard shrugged, “Soon, the whole school will realize it.”

 

Brian didn’t hear the last part though, for it was the first few words that stuck in his head, “You stood up for me?” Howard nodded his head again, “Thank you.”

 

All Howard could do was offer a friendly smile, seeing just how delicate Brian was. He needed to be handled with care, and brought to realize that not all of the world was bad. Nothing would change overnight though, and even Howard knew that he couldn’t make a difference alone.

Chapter 5 by sweet18_2003
Author's Notes:
This one is dedicated to alotacookin....for keeping on my butt about getting an update out there. haha. Thanks! It was just what I needed to get motivated! :) 

Chapter Five

 

    Brian hunched over his biology book, reading the same paragraph he’d just read not even five mintues ago. He couldn’t recall a thing he’d studied over all night, his concentration completely gone. The only thing on his mind was what Howard, and what Alex had done to him for standing up for him.  And what Alex would in return to him now, for telling the secret he’d sworn he would never tell. So far, everything was peaceful. He knew though, that his beating was coming. He knew it would be happening that night. There was nowhere to hide. All he could do was wait.

 

    Every creak in the house caused Brian to jump, and it was that fear that made him wonder why he’d decided that he could trust Howard in the first place. He had felt that he could though, and it had felt good to get the secret out in the open. It felt good to have somebody understand. If something good had come out of it, it was that Alex and Howard were no longer on speaking terms because Howard now saw his brother for what he was.

 

    “Where the fuck are you, you little shit,”

 

    Brian froze, cowering down as if it would somehow save him, but knew that he was in trouble when he heard the angry footsteps thundering up the stairwell. Before he knew it, his door was being swung open and Alex stood before him. Although they were the same height, and Alex was a smaller man, he seemed enormous to Brian at that moment as he shook in fear.

 

    “Why the fuck did you tell Howard about us?”

 

    “I…I…I”

 

    “Answer me….now.”

 

    Brian opened his mouth, but no sound came out. Within a millisecond, Alex was in his face and lifting him off of his position on the bed. With one swift punch, he sent Brian plummeting back down. Brian could feel blood pouring out of his mouth, but he knew better than to whimper in pain.

 

     “I told you not to tell anybody.” Alex shouted, “If it gets out all over school, I swear, I’ll murder you,”

 

    “I’m….s…s…sorry,” Brian cried out, “Please stop….”

 

    The beating continued though, a punch in the eye, being knocked to the ground with a kick in the ribs. He felt the fabric being ripped from his body, and then more kicking and punching. Brian found himself swatting at Alex, without making any real contact with him. He didn’t have the confidence to fight back, afraid that he would only get it worse. He prayed for it to stop, without seeing the ending in sight.

 

    “You’re pathetic,” another kick in the ribs, “Howard just feels bad for you,” a punch in the face, “And because of you, our friendship is ruined,” another shove to the ground.

 

    Brian didn’t say or do anything. He continued to take the beating. He continued to feel himself being lifted off the ground, only to be brought back down in more pain than he’d been in before. He closed his eyes, imagining being anywhere else in hopes that he could block it all. And then, finally, he felt all of the air that had been sucked out of the room earlier slowly creep back in when nothing happened for a whole minute. He opened one eye, and then the other, to find Alex heaving in front of him. His knuckles were bloody, eyes bloodshot.

 

    “Get the hell out,” Alex seethed.

 

    “Wha?”

 

   “Out…get out. Don’t come back. Mom and Dad wouldn’t care. They don’t even realize you exist anyways.”

 

    Although Brian knew that this was true, hearing it aloud stung more than he would ever admit. He tried to stand, and pain surged through his body as he fell again. He saw Alex’s satisfied smirk, and got another kick in the leg. Brian tried to stand again, and although he was wobbly, he forced himself to stay upright. Cautiously, he made his way around Alex, getting another trip and punch on his way out.

 

    ‘That’s right…run. Run away like the pussy you are.”

 

    And that’s what Brian did. With all of the strength he had left, he forced himself to run to safety. He ran until he was in his care. He backed out of the driveway quickly and flew down the streets until he knew that he was a safe distance away. It was then that he slowed down. It was then that he realized he didn’t know where he was headed, or where he was going to go. That he had nowhere to go. All he could do was drive until he figured it out, because going home was not an option. The one place that he was supposed to feel safe, he feared the most.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

    “Ohh, God…that feels amazing,” Howard moaned, leaning in to Heather’s kiss that was trailing up his neck. He shivered in pleasure, dipping his neck to the side when she hit a sensitive spot that made his body tingle all over.

 

    “I have to keep my boy happy,” Heather joked playfully, breathing into his neck, the air coming out hot.

 

    Howard rolled his eyes. Since Heather was a year and a half older than he was, she always called him her ‘boy’. He didn’t mind though, loving the fact that he had an older woman to call his own. Burying his face deep within her soft, honey blonde locks, Howard inhaled deeply, the scent of lavender filling his nostrils.

 

   “How do I love you so much?” Howard murmured into her ear.

 

    “The same way I love you so much.” Heather replied, “I can’t wait until next year…when we can be at college together.”

 

    Howard smiled at the thought. He was so close to graduating, and had already been accepted into the University that Heather attended. Although their majors and classes would be different, he knew that it would be better than the current situation, and they would get to see each other much more often.

 

   “I like the sound of that,” Howard grinned, “No parents…”

 

   “Speaking of…” Heather winked, toying with the buttoning of her boyfriend’s jeans, which caused an erection almost instantaneously, “You said they’re out of town for the weekend…”

 

    “Yes…I did…” Howard breathed out.

 

    “So, then…why don’t we go upstairs?”

 

   It took Howard no time at all to take Heather’s hand in his, pulling her in the direction of the upstairs. She laughed, following in his footsteps eagerly. It wasn’t until they got about halfway up that the doorbell chimed loudly, causing both Howard and Heather to pause, the distraction unpleasant and sour to their plans.

 

    “Who the hell is coming here at nine at night…” Howard murmured with a bit of a bite in his tone. His eyes were darker than they had been, clouded over with a look that Heather had never seen before, nor did she like it.  Then again, they’d never been interrupted unexpectantly before either, and she couldn’t even name the last time they had been alone.

 

    “Should you get it?”

 

    Howard paused for only a moment before he shook his head, “Nah…whoever it is can come back if it’s important.

 

    Heather giggled, obviously pleased with his decision as they continued up the steps, exchanging kisses on their way. When the doorbell called out to them again though, Howard pulled away angrily.

 

    “God damn son of a bitch…” he cursed, flying down the stairs so quickly, and with such force, that it seemed superhuman. He flung open the door violently, “What?”

 

    ‘D….did I come at a..a bad time?”

 

    Howard’s heart about stopped when he saw Brian standing in front of him. He was so stunned, that he hadn’t even noticed that Heather was now at his side again, her hand gently on his shoulder. What caused his mouth to drop open though wasn’t the fact that Brian was there at all, but the condition that he stood in.

 

    One of Brian’s eyes was black and blue, swollen shut. There was a large gash on his left cheek,  another on his forehead and his mouth had crusted blood surrounding it. Then there were his arms, which already had the hint of bruising forming on their pale surface.  His clothes were torn and tattered, hanging off of him in scraps of material which once fit him.  It was obvious what had happened, yet Howard found himself asking aloud anyways once he got over his shock.

 

    “What happened to you?”

 

    “C…can I come in?” he looked behind him with paranoia, as if he were expecting to be seen.

 

    “Yeah,” Howard stepped aside, letting Brian in. He closed the door behind them, “Did Alex do this?”

 

    Brian did nothing at first, but then answered, “I di...didn’t have anywhere else to go,” he confessed, but then his tone turned slightly accusatory, “I told you he would if you mentioned that we were brothers…I warned you…”

 

   “Do you need to go to the hospital?” Howard asked.

 

    Brian shook his head, “Nothing’s broken….”

 

   “I’m so sorry.,” Brian shrugged and Howard turned his head to look at Heather, who was eyeing him curiously, before turning back to Brian. He took in a deep breath “We were just about to watch a movie. You’re welcome to watch with if you want?”

 

    “I don’t want to impose…” Brian whispered, turning the door handle to leave. It was Heather who stopped him though, placing one of her hands on his

 

    “You wouldn’t be.” She assured him, offering a kind smile.

 

    Brian hesitated, not wanting to interrupt Howie’s time with his girlfriend. Would he be in for it tomorrow at school when they were alone? He bit his lip nervously; unsure of what the right answer was in this seeming trap. Was there a right answer? Was there a wrong answer? If he stayed, would Howie and Heather gang up on him for disrupting them?

 

   “I…I don’t know…” Brian mumbled, a slight limp in his step as he backed up which didn’t go unnoticed.

 

    “Brian,” Howard laughed, “It’s no problem…really. We want you to stay.”

 

   Another pause, and finally, “Okay…”

 

   ‘Great,” Howard took Heather’s hand in his, “We can go to the theater room.”

 

    The couple headed off, with Brian trailing a few steps behind them. As they settled into the comfortable leather sofa, Brian took a seat on the floor, his knees brought up to his chest protectively. Within minutes, the beginning credits started rolling to Good Luck Chuck.

 

    Every now and then, Brian would sneak glances backwards to find Howard and his girlfriend snuggled closely on the couch. He would watch them exchange kisses and loving gazes into each others eyes. Even within the darkness of the room, it wasn’t hard to read these things. And without meaning to, Brian felt jealous. He’d never had a kiss, or a girlfriend. For that matter, he’d never even been on a date. What did it feel like to have somebody care about you that much?

 

    His thoughts continued through the remainder of the movie, and before he knew it, it was over. The time was going on midnight now, and Brian stood, not wanting to overstay his welcome. He stood self-consciously, and tried to ignore the odd look that Howard gave him when the light flipped on.

 

   “I should get going….”

 

   “Are you safe going back there?” Howard asked with concern.

 

    “I guess so…” Brian mumbled, but Howard could read the fear within his eyes, burning so bright within them that he feared for his friend’s safety probably more than Brian feared for his own.

 

    “Why don’t you stay here tonight?” Howard offered, “There’s a guest room upstairs that you can stay in. You can go in my room and get a pair of pajamas to use for the night.”

 

   He could see hope in Brian’s eyes at the offer, but instead of accepting the offer right away, he declined just like Howard knew that he would, “I wouldn’t feel right.”

 

    “Just go upstairs,” Howard laughed, “I’ll be up in a little bit. Heather has a three hour drive back to campus tonight…unless she wants to stay too?”

 

    Heather gave him a cute pouty look, “You know I can’t. I have an eight o’ clock class that I can’t miss. I need to head out, like, now,” she smiled at Brian, “It was nice meeting you.”

 

    “You too,” he murmured with a small smile, “I’ll head up so you can be alone…”

 

   “I’ll be up in a few minutes.” Howard promised, knowing how awkward the timid male would feel alone in the unfamiliar environment.

 

    Brian just nodded, pausing for a moment before heading off wards the stairs. Moments later, they could hear the creak of each step as Brian ascended up them.

 

    “I’m sorry tonight didn’t go as planned.” Howard apologized once he was sure that Brian was out of hearing range.

 

    “It’s okay…he needed us.”

 

    Howard snorted, “That’s an understatement.”

 

    “What’s with him anyways?”

 

    Howard hesitated, trying to find the most delicate way to explain Brian to her, “He’s severely bullied at school.”

 

    “And Alex is the main one?”

 

    “Alex is his half brother,” Howard confessed to her, “And my former best friend. It’s a long story. Let’s just say that Alex beat on Brian extra badly for telling the secret of them being related.”

 

    Heather looked confused at this point, “Why is everyone knowing they are related such a big deal?”

 

    “Because Alex is in the ‘cool’ crowd…and Brian isn’t even considered human at that fucking school.”

 

    At last, Heather understood, and she smiled at the realization that Howard had befriended Brian so that the kid wouldn’t be completely alone in the world. She admired him for that trait, knowing that he did it because he truly wanted to, and not because he knew it was the ‘right’ thing to do. It was then that a thought came to her mind, knowing she had to bring it up to Howard right away.

  

   “I have an idea…” Heather mentioned, her eyes lighting up once all of the details were worked out in her mind.

 

    “Yeah?”

 

   “Yeah,” she was starting to smile, “There’s this girl in my lab class…my lab partner, actually…”

 

    Howard’s eyes widened at what he knew was coming, interrupting his girlfriend before she could get any further, “Heather…no.”

 

    “Why not?”

 

    With a laugh, Howard shook his head, “Brian can hardly take interaction with us. With me…the one person in school who gives him a chance. I don’t think he is ready for a set-up yet.”

 

    “It could do a lot for his confidence though,” Heather pointed out, “A girl…who isn’t bad looking…a real date…” when Howard didn’t say anything, she continued, “Her name is Rachel. She’s really nice. I think they would have a lot in common.”

 

    Howard sighed, “I don’t know…”

 

    “Promise me you’ll think about it?” Heather asked, “Promise me you’ll at least mention the idea to him?”

 

    With a shake of his head, Howard couldn’t help but smile at Heathers persistence and willingness to help the troubled kid she’d just met. It was part of why he loved her so much, knowing that he couldn’t refuse her kind gesture.

 

    “Alright, I’ll mention it.” he leaned in to kiss her, praying that this plan worked instead of backfired on them, because a botched blind date could just send Brian deeper into his protective shell instead of showing him that the world wasn’t so bad after all.

 

Chapter 6 by sweet18_2003
Author's Notes:
 Thanks for all of the feedback on 5. I got motivated and decided to get 6 out there quickly for everyone! Hope you enjoy it! 

Chapter Six

 

    Brian shifted nervously from one foot to the other as he waited for his date to arrive. He had no clue what she looked like, or even what he was looking for. All he knew was that he was supposed to meet this mystery woman that Howard and Heather were setting him up with right outside the doors of the popular River Club, a casual dining restaurant in the area. He’d been reluctant to agree to the idea. In fact, he almost hadn’t shown up at all, worried about the outcome of the evening. Here he was though, beginning to think that he’d been stood up. He leaned against the wall outside the building, thinking back to the conversation that had made this evening possible.

 

    It had taken place nearly a week after he’d met Heather. Speaking of which, he touched his eye. It was still sore to the touch, however the black and blue swell had been reduced to a minimal outline. He sighed, wondering why he’d agreed to this. Again, his mind began to wander back to four days ago, when Howard had brought up the idea over their calculus books.

 

    “What do you think of the idea of dating?”

 

     Brian looked up, startled at the thought, but even more so that it had come up. Sure, he’d thought about dating. That wasn’t the problem. The hitch lied in the fact that nobody had ever showed any interest in him, and the one girl he’d ever asked out had laughed so hard at him that he was still scarred to this day from the incident.

 

    “I don’t know…I guess. Why?”

 

    “Heather has this friend…Kristal, who she has a class with,” he began, deciding not to mention that the original girl she’d had in mind turned out to already be involved with somebody, “She wanted to know if you’d be interested in getting together with her.”

 

    “I…I don’t know,” Brian stammered at the idea, “I don’t think it’s such a good idea.”

 

    “Why not?” Howard pressed, although he’d promised himself he would drop it if Brian told him no.

 

    “Why would this Kristal want to go out with me?”

 

    “Brian, you’re a good guy. Why wouldn’t she want to go out with you?”

 

    Brian snorted, “In case you haven’t noticed, I’m not exactly popular. Hell, I’m not even unpopular. I’m non-existant.”

 

    Howard didn’t know what to say. Both of them knew him trying to deny it would be a lie, and he couldn’t do that. Not to Brian. Yet the more he thought about it, the more he realized how crucial this could be for Brian and his social life. Howard was really starting to think that this was a great idea.

 

   “Have you ever been on a date?” when Brian didn’t reply at all, looking downward with a blush creeping into cheeks, Howard knew that he had his answer, “Wow…um…wow.”

 

    “Yeah…”

 

    With a slight nibble on his lip, Howard thought for a moment, “I don’t think it will be a problem…” he started, “I can explain to Heather…”

 

    “And make me sound pathetic?” Brian shook his head, his eyes still locked on the carpeting, “I’d rather just pass before I get rejected.”

 

    “We won’t make you sound pathetic,” Howard promised, “Give it a chance. I think you’ll be surprised at how well it will go.”

 

    Finally, Brian looked upward. It was obvious from the look that shone from within his baby blue eyes that the man was toying with the idea in his mind, and that the thought of a girlfriend pleased him. That wasn’t the toughest part of the battle though. The hard part would be getting Brian to actually agree to meeting with Kristal. After that, the rest would be a piece of cake, so to speak.

 

    “Give it a shot. We’ll help you out with whatever you need.”

 

    Brian took a deep breath inward, and let it out ever so slowly. He closed his eyes, wondering what he was about to get himself into before opening them again, “Okay.” He mumbled.

 

    “What was that?” Howard asked, not quite catching the barely audible response, and also taken by surprise at what he thought he’d heard without much of a fight.

 

    “I said okay…I’ll give it a chance.” Brian repeated, this time a small grin beginning to spread on his lips.

 

    Howard couldn’t help but smile back, “Great,” he spoke up, “I’ll call Heather in the morning and tell her it’s a go.”

 

    Turning back towards his calculus book, Brian shook his head. He was excited, but the more he thought about it, the harder his heart began to pound in his chest, and sweat began to bead his forehead lightly. Already, he was starting to think that this was a mistake, but he knew that he wouldn’t be backing out now.

 

    This brought him back to that moment in time. He looked down at his watch, a white gold one that Howard had lent him for the evening, to notice that Kristal was twelve minutes late. He felt his heart sinking in disappointment, his shoulders slumping in defeat.

 

    “I’m getting stood up.” He mumbled, not knowing how he would be able to face Howard, who he’d been staying with over the past week and a half, if he returned early.

 

    Taking in a deep breath, Brian decided to walk away with any dignity that he had left, but was stopped short when a girl around his age stopped him.

 

    “Are you Brian?” she asked.

 

    Startled, Brian looked up. He was even more stunned to see how pretty she was when he really took a moment to look at her. There was no way that this was Kristal. This had to be her attractive roommate, there to make sure her hideous friend wasn’t about to go out with a lunatic. Here stood a petite, no taller than five foot four girl who was full of energy, looking frantic. Her long, light brown hair was hanging loose around her shoulders, her bright blue eyes, a gorgeous color that Brian could stare into for hours, looking desperate. Her body was curvy, and of perfect proportion. Again, Brian shook his head. There was no way that this was his date.

 

    “Yeah…” his voice trailed off.

 

    “Thank God,” she breathed, “My idiot friend, Heather, didn’t mention which location I was meeting you at. I went to the wrong one…twenty minutes away. I figured it was the wrong one when I went in for the reservation, and they didn’t have it. And since this is a blind date and all, and I didn’t have your number…” her voice trailed off as she took in a deep breath to catch it, “Anyways….I’m sorry I’m late.” She offered a bright smile that was sincere.

 

    All he could do was stare, realizing that this was in fact his date. Suddenly, he became all the more nervous, butterflies filling his stomach as this exceeded his every expectation far and beyond. Wracking his brain for something…anything to say before she realized that he was a dud, Brian offered what he hoped to be a confident smile back.

 

    Breath, Brian….relax and breath… he instructed himself

 

    “It’s alright…it happens.”  He replied nonchalantly as he slowly and quietly let out the breath he’d been holding in, “It’s nice to meet you.”

 

    “Nice to meet you.” Kristal grinned brightly.

 

    He stared only a moment longer before shaking his head from the trance he’d been thrust into, “Want to go in?”

 

    “Definitely.”

 

    Opening the door, Brian motioned Kristal inside. She thanked him, and went to the host stand where they were directed to their table. Nervously, Brian pulled out Kristal’s chair for her, letting her take her seat before taking his own directly across the small table for two. The host placed their menus in front of them before she walked away, leaving the two strangers sitting in awkward silence.

 

    Offering Kristal a shy smile, Brian observantly took in her appearance even more. She really was pretty, and the tight jeans that she was wearing, accompanied by a maroon American Eagle sweatshirt that was one size too big for comfort made him believe that he was way overdressed for the occasion. He looked down self consciously at his khaki cargo pants and navy blue button up collared shirt.

 

    “So…”

 

    Brian’s head whipped up, startled at the voice. His palms began to sweat, his throat becoming dry, unable to think of a single thing to say. He closed his eyes, telling himself that this was a horrible idea and that he never should have agreed to it, knowing that he was blowing it by being too nervous and inexperienced to know what to do or say.

 

    “Heather tells me you go to school with her boyfriend, Howard?”

 

    “Um…yeah.” Brian cleared his throat, praying that the pounding of his heart would die down just a little.

 

    “That’s cool,” she smiled at him again; a smile that was beginning to turn him to mush, “Do you plan on going to college next year?”

 

    “Yeah…” Brian replied again, and when he got a strange look from Kristal, he winced, knowing that he had to cut out the one word answers, “Not sure where I’ll end up, um…going though.”

 

    “I had the same problem. I wanted to go to all of them. In the end though, I know I made the right choice. I love it, and for my program, it is supposed to be one of the best in the state.”

 

    “What are you majoring in?”

 

    “Nursing. I have a long way to go though. I want to get my masters degree in it. I’m still in my first year.” She let out an over-dramatic sigh.

 

    Slowly, the queasy feeling in Brian’s stomach began to subside, and he started to feel more at ease, realizing that Kristal was down to earth and not judging him, something he wasn’t used to. She was there with an open mind, bubbly personality, and seemed to have a genuine interest in getting to know him.

 

    “That’s cool…” Brian said lamely, “It sounds hard.”

 

    “Oh, it is,” Kristal broke out, “I have this one professor who is totally an ass. He gives us pop-quizzes like, every week…on chapters we weren’t even supposed to read yet. I mean, I do have five other classes to worry about without him thinking he is the only professor in the entire university.”

 

    By this time, their server was setting down their drinks, which Brian hadn’t even remembered ordering. He hadn’t even remembered the server, period. He took in a deep breath, realizing he needed to calm down, and listened as Kristal ordered her meal. He followed, and they handed the menus back.

 

    “I have a teacher like that…” Brian offered, “Mr. Richardson. He’s my favorite, but he needs to give us a break every now and then.”

 

    “I know…really,” she grinned, taking a sip of her Pepsi, “But, I’m in it for the long run. If this is how the first year is like, it’s best I get a taste for it now rather than be shocked my senior year, unable to handle the pressure, ya know?” Brian nodded, “What do you like to do?”

 

    “Well…I like video games…” Kristal rolled her eyes, “What?” he asked defensively.

 

    “Typical male, is all. I mean, I like games too…but I could never sit around for hours like my younger brother can. He’s sixteen and can play for fourteen hours straight sometimes.” Brian laughed, but didn’t mention that he’d done the same thing on occasion, “Okay…anyways, what else do you like to do?”

 

    “Sports…I love football and hockey. Umm…” he thought for a moment, “I don’t know. I’m really pretty easy going. I like to do most anything…and I’ll try almost anything once.” he finished, the answer truthful, but likely not what she was looking for, “How about you?”

 

    “Same, but I do have my passions. I love to write…and read. I love concerts…roller coasters, arcades…hmmm….shopping, I do volunteer work at the hospital down by campus…” her voice trailed off slightly.

 

    ‘Wow…” Brian breathed with wide eyes, “You’re all over the place.”

 

    Kristal laughed, “I like to keep my options open.”

 

    “You mentioned you have a brother? Do you have any other siblings?”

 

    “No…just Nick. He’s a sophomore…he goes to the same school as you and Howard actually. He’s new though. When I started college, he and my parents moved closer,” she rolled her eyes at this, “We’re originally from Georgia. Nick and I are super close though. We used to do everything together. And he is the typical brother…looking out for his sister,” Kristal stopped for a moment, “Do you have any siblings?”

 

    Brian winced, dreading the topic of this coming up, but knew that he had to be truthful, “A brother…Alex…who is also a sophomore.”

 

    “Ohh…maybe he and Nick could become friends?” she piped up, “Nick is on the football team…or was. He wants to try out for this team now.”

 

    “Maybe…” Brian felt his heart sink. Here was this cool girl, having what seemed to be an interest in him, and she had a brother the same age as Alex…in the same school. Brian cursed under his breath at his rotten luck, knowing that once Kristal met Alex and realized what a loser he was, she would go running back to campus without even a second glance back.

 

    “You don’t seem too thrilled with that idea?” she pointed out, a question mark in her tone.

 

    “Alex and I don’t get along.”

 

   “Oh…I’m sorry.”

 

    Brian shrugged. At this point, their meals were being placed in front of them, the plates steaming hot. Both dug in right away, conversing throughout the rest of dinner about everything that they could think of in between bites. By this point, Brian was back to his negative thoughts and low confidence on the situation, all because he felt by the time she asked her brother about Alex, nothing would ever emerge from this anyways.

 

    When they were done eating, and after a dessert of chocolate fudge cake that they shared, Brian paid for the meal and the two got up, making their way out of the restaurant.

 

    “You seem somber all of a sudden?” Kristal pointed out, “Is everything okay?”

 

    “Huh?” Brian snapped out of his trance, “Yeah…everything is fine,” he offered a force smile, “Let me walk you to your car. Where are you parked?”

 

    Kristal pointed in the complete opposite direction of where his car was, and they continued on their way over. Once reaching a white Toyota Celica, Kristal dug her keys out of her purse, and then looked back up and smiled, “Thank you…for everything. I had fun.”

 

    “Me too…” Brian replied, offering a smile back, wishing that the night didn’t have to be over.

 

    “I’d like to go do something more…” she brought up, as if reading his thoughts, “But I have to get back if I want to stay awake in my morning class.”

 

    Brian’s shoulders slumped slightly, sure that this was a bad sign and an easy way out, ‘I understand.”

 

    “I’d like to do this again sometime soon though, when there is more time.”

 

    Sure that she was only being polite, Brian just nodded, “Have a safe drive back.”

 

    “Thanks…and before I forget…can I get your number?” The request startled Brian, watching her get her cell ready to program the number into it.  He gave it to her, wondering why she needed it when this was only going to be a one time deal, “Great,” she beamed, digging out a pen and paper from her purse and jotting something down before handing it to him, “Here’s mine. I’ll talk to you soon, okay?”

 

    “Yeah…I’d like that.”

 

    The two stood in an awkward moment before they came together in a quick hug, unsure of the appropriate thing to do. And without warning, Kristal planted a soft, warm kiss right on the corner of Brian’s mouth, causing his eyes to fly wide open in astonishment.

 

    “Goodnight, Brian,” Kristal laughed, and she opened her car door.

 

    “Goodnight, Kristal…” Brian replied, trying to keep calm.

 

    He stood and watched as she pulled out of the parking spot, giving her a little wave as she drove off. It was when she was out of sight that he let a goofy grin spread its way onto his lips as he made his way to his own car. Although he was still unsure of what would come of this evening in the future between them, the night overall had gone better than he could have imagined, and better yet, after eighteen years, he’d finally received his first kiss.

Chapter 7 by sweet18_2003

Chapter Seven   

 

    “How did your date go?”

 

    It was six days later, and Brian had gone from being on cloud nine to down on his luck about his date with Kristal. When she’d kissed him, his spirits had been so high, and he’d been sure that he would be hearing from her that very next day. Nearly a week had passed though, and now, he was confident that the date was a one time deal, and the kiss had been out of nothing more than pity.

 

    With a shrug, Brian kept his eyes low on his hands, worried that if he looked up, he would break down completely. His heart felt as if it had been trampled upon, a mocking victory dance  with every been letting him know that he had once again been shot down.

 

    “Bri?”

 

    “It went fine.” Brian responded automatically, wincing at the pitifulness in his tone.

 

    “Fine?”

 

    “Yeah…I thought so…but I haven’t exactly talked to her since.”

 

    Howard couldn’t help but roll his eyes, the response coming without him realizing it. He knew that Brian’s confidence was low, but to this extreme?  For the first three days after the date, Brian’s confidence seemed to be at an all time high, but then it peaked, and slowly came back down until he was underneath the shell he’d built around himself long ago. Thinking for a moment, Howard sighed.

 

    “Do you have her number?”

 

    “Yeah…” Brian muttered, letting his tone trail off, an invitation for Howard to continue on.

 

    “Why don’t you call her? I mean, she gave it to you for a reason.”

 

    Brian looked horrified at the suggestion, “And make me look pathetic?” he shook his head roughly from side to side, reminding Howard of a kid who didn’t want to eat his vegetables.

 

    “Well, how did the date go?” Howard tried again, wishing he’d gotten more details out of Heather when he’d spoken to her earlier in the week as to whether Kristal had even mentioned the outing. Then he could at least give Brian a little ray of hope.

 

    “Fine…” was Brian’s one word response.

 

    “No…I mean, what did you do? What happened?”

    “Well…she was late, which should have been my first clue that she wasn’t all that interested,” Brian began, “After that though, I thought things went okay. We talked about everything. At the end of dinner, she asked for my number…and kissed me…”

 

   “Well see…that’s a good sign.”

 

    “You think?”

 

    “Girl’s don’t kiss guys they have no interest in. Kristal’s in college. She’ll call when she gets a moment.”

 

    “I don’t know…”

 

    “What make’s you doubt her? I take it there is more to it?”

 

    Brian nodded, afraid to note his insecurities aloud. He didn’t want Howard to know much others influenced his own life. Nothing scared him more than the thought of losing his only friend. Of having the only person who gave him a chance turning their back on him because they realized what a loser he truly was. Nothing scared him more. Not even death.

 

    ‘Brian?”

 

    “Her brother goes to our school…or will. He starts after the weekend.”

 

    “What does that have to do with anything?”

 

    Brian hesitated, “He’s a jock….”

 

    “Oh…” Howard found himself saying, slowly understanding.

 

    “And he’s Alex’s age…a sophomore.”

 

    “Ohh…” Howard muttered, fully understanding what was worrying Brian so much, “Think of it his way…if she worth it, none of that will matter.”

 

    Brian snorted. He couldn’t believe his luck, or lack there of. He’d finally been on a date…with a normal, pretty girl…who he liked a lot. It figured that her brother and his would likely become friends. He didn’t even want to know what kind of rumors would get back to Kristal to make her stay as far away as she possibly could.

 

     “I guess.” Brian forced a smile.

 

    “Give it a few more days and then try giving her a call.” Howard gave Brian a pat on the back, “I wouldn’t worry yet about it.”

 

     Fighting back tears, all Brian could do was nod. It wasn’t like he was looking for a life partner out of Kristal. He’d only just met her. All he wanted was a fair chance and for her to want to get to know him out of interest, not sympathy.

 

    Closing his eyes, Brian wondered what it would be like to be popular. He wondered what it would be like to walk through the halls and have people smile and greet him rather than have random objects thrown in his direction and be knocked to the ground by a foot stuck out in his way just for him. He thought about what it would be like to be athletic and to have the town cheering him on as he scored for his team, or to be able to go to a school dance without sitting alone in the corner of the room, in the shadows, watching from afar. Most of all, he wondered what it would be like to be Howard. He could almost  see a clear image of it in his head. The only thing that fogged his vision was himself, battered and torn from years of abuse.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

    As Alex walked down the hall with his head held high, he smirked. Ever since he’d broken his friendship with Howard, he felt free. Before, he’d felt like he had to compete for popularity with his friend, but now, he could put the older man in the same class as Brian. He could have the entire school turned on him in no time. The thought made him smile at the possibilities. He would make Howard wish he’d never befriended Brian. Now all he needed was a follower, to help him carry out this deed.

 

    Heading towards his locker to exchange books, Alex stopped short about fifteen feet away, witnessing a blonde kid he’d never seen before struggling with the lock of his locker. Eyes bulging out of his head, anger surged through his veins. Taking no more than four quick, long strides, Alex reached the kid, placed his hand on his shoulder and spun him around roughly, not caring that the other male was nearly double his size.

 

    “What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

 

    “Getting in to my locker…got a problem with that?” the kid mouthed back.

 

    “Yeah…I do. This is my locker.”

 

    “No…four-ninety-six…see?” the kid shoved a piece of paper in Alex’s face merely an inch from his eyes, combination and all exposed.

 

    Alex could feel a cruel laugh rising from his stomach, “Are you in special ed or what?”

 

    “Are you?”

 

    “I don’t think so…but apparently you are. It takes a complete moron to not know how to count.”

 

    “Huh?”

 

    “This is locker four-sixty-nine, kid. Last I checked, four-ninety-six doesn’t come after four-sixty-eight.”

 

    The kid looked up in confusion, and then back down with the same tough looketched on his features as if he had nothing to be ashamed of, “First day…whatever man”

 

    “Didn’t they teach you to count at your old school?” Alex bumped the kid out of the way and turned his back to him as he twisted the combination, swinging the door open with ease. He exchanged a few books and slammed the door shut, turning to face the new one again, having to look up to meet his  eyes , “Can you not talk suddenly?”

 

    “Give it a rest, dude…it was a mistake.” The kid sneered, “Or don’t they make those where you come from?”

 

    Suddenly, the expression on Alex’s face changed and a grin broke out. Nobody had ever had the nerve to talk back to him like this kid had. He didn’t know if he was just plain stupid or was as fearless as himself. Either way, it were as if he’d been dropped in front of him from heaven. The match he’d been looking for to help in tormenting the school.

 

    “What’s your name, kid?”

 

    “Nick…you?” Nick was looking at him warily now.

 

    “Alex,” he thrust his hand out to shake Nick’s, “sophomore.”

 

    “Same.” Nick replied, “Ain’t you a little small for a sophomore?”

 

    Alex snorted, “Bad genes....” He looked up at Nick’s six foot two stature and large frame, “Ain’t you a little tall for a sophomore?”

 

    “Family full of giants.” Nick rolled his eyes, “Except my sister is a runt.” He must have seen the ideas running through Alex’s mind through his eyes because the next thing he warned was, “Don’t even think about it. She’s in college.”

 

    “Right…” Alex murmured, “Play any sports?” he asked, the true test to see if Nick were worthy of his friendship. In his eyes, if Nick played sports, it meant he could take care of himself and was tough. If he didn’t, it meant he was weak.

 

    “Football…you?”

 

    “Baseball and soccer.” Alex replied.

 

    “Nice.” Nick grinned at the fellow jock.

 

    Alex didn’t reply this time though. The only thoughts that were running through his own mind now were what Nick could do for his reputation. Nick was huge, towering over himself by a good seven inches with a husky build. And he’d proved that he had the attitude to help him get the job done. It didn’t even matter than he seemed a little slow. Just that there was a possible friendship in the making. Howard was out of the picture, but there was somebody now much better and stronger, that would strengthen the duo who could rule the school.

 

    Alex could see it now. Everybody would fear them. Their peers would do exactly as they said. And once and for all, together, they could get rid of his brother.

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8821