A New Life by AJsKellyMouse
Summary:

Madi is a young single mom, still living at home and working a dead-end job.  One day AJ Mclean enters her store, and shakes her life up.


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Nick, Other
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: Yes Word count: 14598 Read: 38924 Published: 02/18/08 Updated: 02/23/08
Story Notes:
This was one of the very first stories I ever wrote.  I was very much a beginner at writing such as this at that point, so my first draft is full of cheese, dorkiness, and BAD editing.  I am going through my old fics chapter by chapter to un-cheese and re-edit them so they are readable.  I hope A New Life is greatly enjoyed.

1. Chapter 1 by AJsKellyMouse

2. Chapter 2 by AJsKellyMouse

3. Chapter 3 by AJsKellyMouse

4. Chapter 4 by AJsKellyMouse

5. Chapter 5 by AJsKellyMouse

6. Chapter 6 by AJsKellyMouse

7. Chapter 7 by AJsKellyMouse

8. Chapter 8 by AJsKellyMouse

9. Chapter 9 by AJsKellyMouse

10. Chapter 10 by AJsKellyMouse

11. Chapter 11 by AJsKellyMouse

12. Chapter 12 by AJsKellyMouse

13. Chapter 13 by AJsKellyMouse

Chapter 1 by AJsKellyMouse

"I don't think this day could get any longer," Madi sighed to no one in particular.  She pulled her long black hair out of her face and clipped it up off of her neck.  Thumbing through yet another boring magazine, Madi tried not to fall asleep from boredom.

The highlight of her day had been that transvestite that came in this morning.  He... she... whatever, it had definitely spiced up the morning.  But that had been hours ago.  Or was it days?  It was hard to tell at that point.

The bell on the door rang as a customer entered the store.  Madi mumbled a hello, but continued to look through her magazine.  After a few minutes Madi was forced to put the magazine to the side to ring her customer up.

"Did you find everything okay?" she asked without looking up.  Slowly passing the items under the scanner she wished the beeping would go away.  It was going to drive her insane!

"Yeah, plus some," he laughed.  Madi had to glance up to see who that oh-so-sexy voice belonged to.  She glanced up only to be greeted by...well, she couldn't see him.  A cowboy hat, pulled too low of course, covered his head.  And those goofy sunglasses?  Those were covering his face.  The tattoos were kind of sexy.  Madi wondered if they covered his entire body.

"That'll be twenty-two dollars and forty-two cents," Madi said, pulling herself from her little daydream.

He handed her a credit card and she swiped it through the machine.  Trying to keep her mind from wandering back to that tattoo covered body, she checked the name and signature on the card.

Tearing the receipt from the machine, she had to keep herself from screaming in excitement, "Thank you Mr. Mclean."

"Ah, so you did recognize me.  I guess I need to find a better disguise," AJ laughed.

"No, just pay with cash next time.  The name on your card gives it all away," Madi replied, surprised at her calmness considering the situation.

He smiled and grabbed her bag, but turned back to Madi, "What's it short for?"

"I'm sorry?"

He pointed at the nametag on her ugly, plain, company (and by company we mean pervy older boss guy) issued shirt, "Madi...what's it short for?"

"Oh..." she thought for a minute, trying to decide how to reply to that.  If she just told him it might end the conversation right there.  Or she could pull out the flirty side and make him work for it, "Well that's not information I give to just anybody.  You have to work for it."

"Work for it, huh?  Well then what are you doing tonight?  I'll take you out to dinner and I can work for it there."

"If you're really serious about that...give me a call," Madi pulled a strip of receipt paper from the register and scribbled down her phone number, "I just may let you do that."

AJ took the slip of paper and stuck it in his pocket.  Taking his bag, he flashed her a classic AJ grin and turned to leave, "I'll talk to you later."

Madi watched him leave, holding her screams of excitement and shock in until he was well out of sight.  The second she thought she was safe she let it out, screaming and jumping like a little kid on Christmas.  A short, thin, blonde girl came running from the stock room at the back of the store to see what the screams were all about.

 "Omigod Hol, omigod!  You will never believe who was just in here!" Madi squealed.

"Well...judging by the look on your face and that horrible squeaky sound your voice is making...it has to be amazingly good.  Who was it?" Madi's best friend and co-worker Holly sighed.  Madi tended to be a bit of a drama queen, so Holly was expecting much from this, but she had to humor her best friend.

"AJ!  And you'll never guess what happened!"

"Wait, slow down and back up...AJ?" Holly was completely confused.  Last time she checked they didn't know anyone named AJ, so she needed the whole story.

"Keep up here girl!  AJ!  Backstreet Boy!  C'mon now!"

"Right, yeah, okay.  Whatever you say freak-o.  I'm going back to my oh-so-exciting inventory so I can get it finished before I get to leave.  Don't wanna have to be doing this again tomorrow.  You be sure to let me know if any more Backstreet Boys come in though," Holly laughed as she made her way back to the stock room.

"I'm serious Holly!  He said he'd call me this afternoon!  He wants to take me to dinner!" Madi called after her friend.

"Okay!  Whatever you say."


About an hour later Madi had dropped Holly off at her apartment and she was finally home!  She ran up to her room to change out of her horrid work attire before relieving her mom of babysitting duties.  Madi's mom Rita watched three year old Kaiden while Madi worked, though Madi wished it were the other way around.  The phone rang as she made her way back down the stairs.

"I ansa it!" the dark-haired, three year old boy exclaimed.

"Kaiden Montana Grey, do NOT touch that phone!" Rita scolded as she reached the small table holding the phone, "Hello?"

"Hi, I'm looking for Madi.  Is she available?"

"She is...who can I tell her is calling?"

"My name is AJ, ma'am.  I'm a friend of Madi's I guess, or I hope..."

"Just a minute, let me get her.  She just got home," Rita smiled to herself and turned to call for Madi, "Madison!  There's an AJ on the phone for you!  He sounds cute!"

"Mom!" Madi blushed at her mother's comment, but quickly realized the situation, "Omigod he called!  He actually called!"

Rita smiled and handed the phone to her daughter, "I'm going to finish cleaning up the kitchen."

Madi took a deep breath, curled up on the couch with Kaiden and tried not to sound like a freak, "Hello?"

"So you're mom thinks I'm cute.  I guess I have someone to fall back on if you reject me tragically," he laughed, "It's beautiful."

"Hmm?" Madi was trying to concentrate and she was afraid she'd missed something he said between her blushing and her trying to keep calm.

"Madison...it's beautiful."

"Oh...thanks..."

"I've found out your secret...do I still get to take you out for dinner?"

"Well...hang on," Madi covered the mouth piece and called for her mother.

"We're leaving tonight Mad!  Whatever you want, you're on your own!" her mother called back without having to hear the question her daughter was about the ask.

"Right...okay then," Madi sighed, trying to figure out what to do, "Well, unless you want a three year old tagging along, I'm going to have to take a rain check."

"Kids are cool.  I really want to see you again, so...I'll make dinner and you two can come over here."

"Ah, I don't know about that.  He'll terrorize your house.  Are you sure you want that?"

"No worries, it'll be fun.  I'll come by for you at six.  We'll make it a traditional date, plus one."

Madi gave him directions to her house and they hung up.  She immediately picked the phone back up to dial Holly's number.

"Yo people!  It's Holly!  You know what to do!  Oh, and if it's Madi, Nick called looking for AJ," and the message trailed off in Holly's laughter.

Madi laughed at the message, even though she was mad her friend didn't believe her.  She would now!  "Hol, it's me.  Nice message freak.  Where the h-e-l-l are you?  Call me back now!" she hung up and turned to her son curled in her lap, "Kaid baby...we're going to mommy's friends house for dinner tonight.  Mommy needs you to be really, really super good, okay?"

"Tay momma.  It's AJ momma?" the child asked, reminding Madi how much of an unintentional eavesdrop and parrot her son was.  He had obviously been paying attention when AJ had called.

"Yeah baby, his name is AJ."

"Like da moosic one?" Kaiden asked, referring to the Backstreet Boys, who were played quite often around this house.  It seemed Kaiden knew more about them then other kids his age.

"That's right babe.  The music one...a Backstreet Boy.  It's the same person."

The phone rang while Madi was explaining it all to Kaiden.  He'd long since stopped paying attention-he knew all of this already!-and he saw his perfect opportunity.  He snatched up the phone to answer it.

"Yo people!" he parroted his Aunt Holly's typical greeting, grinning up at his mom.

"Kaiden?  Are you supposed to be answering the phone you little monkey?  Where's your momma?"

"Momma's here, I get her," he replied, a look of pure satisfaction on his face-he'd finally gotten to answer the phone-and he handed the phone to Madi.

"I told you her was real!" Madi said in an ‘I told you so' voice.

"What the hell are you talking about? Holly was completely confused, yet again, "Who is real?"

"AJ."

"Um, I never doubted he was real.  I know for a fact he's real, or else who would you be drooling over twenty-four seven.  I just don't believe he actually came into out little store and asked you out."

"Well believe it.  He'll be here in about two hours.  I need you to help me get ready.

"Are you serious?" Holly was beginning to believe her friend, "What about Kaiden?  Aren't your parents leaving with mine in like...twenty minutes?  What are you going to do with him?"

"Yes they are.  He's coming with.  I don't have any choice.  I was going to talk my mom into pushing the vacation back one day...but she wouldn't even listen to me," Madi sighed.  Her parents were great friends with Holly's parents and the two couples had a nice week-long vacation planned together.

"You're bringing your three year old son on your first date with the man you've been drooling over for the last, I don't know how long?  You've got to be kidding me!"

"What else am I going to do?  I can't very well leave him here alone!"

"Julia and Michele are staying with me for the week while our parents are gone," Holly said referring to her four and seven year old sisters, "I'll bring them over, we'll have a slumber party with Kaiden.  They'll have fun, you'll have your date, and then you'll give me every single detail when you get home.  Then you two will fall in love, introduce me to Nick, and we'll fall in love, and then we'll all live happily ever after!" Holly trailed off as her daydream took her away.

"Yeah, let's take our time on that last part.  But about the sleepover...Kaid would love to see your sisters.  It would be a great help...and it would give me some leeway on explaining the whole Kaiden situation.  You're totally awesome!"

"I know!  We'll be there in about a half hour.  Get yourself showered so you're ready for me."

The girls hung up the phone and the smile on Madi's face grew, "Change of plans baby boy.  Auntie Holly is bringing over Julia and Michele.  You're going to stay here with them while mommy goes out with her friend.  Then we'll get to hang out all week.  We'll go to the zoo tomorrow like I promised.  And if you're really good maybe we'll fill our week up with fun stuff!"

"S'otay momma.  I tell Juji and Chele dat momma lubs da Backsteet Boy," Kaiden laughed.

Chapter 2 by AJsKellyMouse

"Madi!  Where are you?!?  Hello???" Holly yelled over what she thought was Get Another Boyfriend.  It was hard to tell, the music was so damn loud.  She laughed as she pictured AJ coming early.  He would undoubtedly hear the music-you could hear it from the street!-and run away screaming.

Holly made her way through the house, shaking that mean thought out of her head.  Julia and Michele followed her through the house in search of human life.  They arrived at the source of the unbelievably loud music to find Kaiden dancing his little heart out on Madi's bed.  He appeared to be singing along to what Holly guessed was now The Call, but the music was even louder in here and the boy's toddler speak was making it even more difficult to understand.  She left the girls with Kaiden and moved farther down the hall in search of Madi.

"There you are!" Holly mumbled, finding Madi standing in the bathroom in a pair of powder blue sweats and a bra...panicking.

"Kaid, is that you?" Madi asked, hearing something out in the hall.

"No hon, it's me!" Holly yelled over the music, though it turned down drastically about halfway through her sentence and she growled.

The kids could be heard laughing, and...jumping on the bed?  Crap.

"I like the outfit choice Mad," Holly grinned.

"Yeah, I'm not wearing a bra on my date," Madi rolled her eyes, gripping the counter.

"Even better!  AJ will enjoy the easy access!" Holly wiggled her eyebrows.

"Holly Jacobs!  That's not funny!  I'm freaking out here and all you can do is make jokes?  I had an outfit laid out on the bed, but it's probably in a crumpled heap on the floor by now."

"Madi, deep breath.  You know that you're not going to wear the outfit you picked out anyways.  We're going to go through about sixty-three outfits before you finally decide what you want to wear.  And you damn well know that the outfit you decide on will be the one I choose for you to try on first.  I don't see any point in going through the other sixty-two outfits, but since it's you I know we will and I'll just play along."

Madi rolled her eyes at her friend, then yelled out of the bathroom door, "Kaiden Montana stop jumping on my bed!  I'm not missing my date to take you to the hospital!"

"Speaking of Kaiden...What did you tell Mr. Backstreet Boy?"

"One, stop calling him that.  He has a name.  And two...nothing?" Madi glanced at her friend, who was giving her a ‘you've got to be kidding me' look, "I know, I know.  I just didn't have a chance.  He obviously knows that there is a three year old, he just doesn't know that three year old belongs to me.  I will tell him though."

"Yeah...I'm sure you'll be fine.  In the mean time, you worry about drying your hair, and I'll go pick out your outfit."

A little over an hour and eight outfits later, Madi was dressed-in the outfit that Holly chose-and in the bathroom putting on finishing touches.  Holly and the kids were in the living room with pizza and a Disney movie.

Then it happened.  The doorbell rang, Madi scream, the kids raced to the door, and Holly just laughed.  She was following close behind the kids and was there in time to greet Mr. Backstreet Boy.

"I didn't completely believe it was true until just now," she laughed.  AJ looked at her curiously, "Everything okay?  Oh, I'm Holly.  Nice to meet you."

Holly stepped aside to allow AJ into the house and the kids just stood watching in awe.

"This is Madison's house...right?"

"Of course it is Mr. Backstreet Boy!  She's just upstairs finishing up getting ready.  Before I let you two go we need to have a little talk.  If you hurt her, I have a shovel in the garage, I don't think anyone would..." Holly began the joke father's traditionally make when a guy takes their daughter out on a date.

"Miss me?  I think quite a few people might..." AJ laughed.

"Yeah, I realized that joke wouldn't work about halfway through when I remembered who you were.  Oh well.  It was fun while it lasted.  Anyways, I was just helping Madi get ready, and now I get to play babysitter."

"I'm so sorry, I wanted to let you know, but I didn't have your phone number," Madi said as she appeared at the top of the stairs.

"Wow.  You look amazing," AJ said as he took in the sight before him.  Madi had decided to leave her hair down loose around her shoulders with a light curl at the ends.  The jeans Holly chose fit her perftectly, and the yellow and green top left just enough to the imagination.

"Thanks," Madi blushed as she made her way down the stairs, "Thanks again Holly.  You be good Kaiden."

"You ready then?" AJ asked as he reached to open the door for her.  Madi smiled at the group she was leaving behind and followed AJ out to his car.  Always the gentleman, he opened the car door for Madi and helped her in before closing it and going around to the driver's side.

They made small talk as he drove to his house where a nice dinner was almost ready for them.  When they arrived at his house he helped her out of the car and gave her the grand tour of the house.

After dinner Madi decided the time had come.  If she intended on continuing to see AJ-and she most certainly did-she was going to have to give the whole Kaiden story.  Now seemed like as good a time as any.

Chapter 3 by AJsKellyMouse

"AJ, I need to tell you something," Madi began, unsure of where exactly she should start.

"What's wrong?  Are you okay?  You have a husband or something?" he half joked, hoping that she didn't.

"No, no, it's not that.  I don't have a husband.  It's about Kaiden."

"Your...brother?" AJ asked, though he knew that he wasn't her brother.

"No.  Kaiden's my son."

"Okay," he said, sitting in silence for a minute, "I guess I kinda figured that."

"I've been trying to figure out all night how to tell you.  Guys run the second that they find out I have a kid.  I wanted to have a normal date for a while and it was just so amazing being here with you," Madi started rambling.

"It's ok beautiful.  I'm not going to run away screaming.  Like I said, kids are cool.  We can work it all out if we need to.  What happened?  If I'm not getting too personal, that is."

Madi sat for a minute, trying to figure out how to tell the story, "He was my high school sweetheart.  We kept dating for a little while after we graduated, but it just wasn't meant to be.  A few weeks after we broke up I found out I was pregnant with Kaiden.  I was so excited...but I was scared to tell him, too.  I had finally gotten the courage up to tell him.  I asked him if we could go out for dinner the next Tuesday so we could talk.  I called him on Friday afternoon to ask him.  He went out with a bunch of friends that night...I found out the next morning.  One of the guys he was with called me," Madi had to stop because the tears threatening to spill from her eyes were clogging her throat.  AJ reached a hand out to cover hers in a comforting gesture.

"How did it happen?"

Madi let out a growl of frustration.  It was aimed at herself, at the way she was acting.  Wiping her eyes, no doubt ruining her eye make-up, but not caring much about that at this point, she kept going.

"A drunk driver hit his car.  He was killed instantly.  Our friend was beat up pretty bad, but he's still here."

"I'm so sorry Madi."

"It was four years ago.  I miss him all the time," Madi kept going, seeing the look on AJ's face, "No, not because I'm still in love with him.  I fell out of love with him a long time ago.  It never would've worked between us.  I fell out of love with him before we broke up.  It's just hard though, you know?  He's Kaiden's dad, and he never knew.  His name was Montana, that's where Kaid's middle name comes from."

"So it's just been you and Kaiden then?"

"Yeah...well, and my parents.  They've been so great.  I feel like I'm mooching off of them at this point, but we're working on getting out of there.  He's my little man, I would do anything for him."

"You seem like an amazing mom.  It was just me and my mom most of the time when I was growing up, too.  I'd love to get to know him...if you'd let me."

"I think he'd enjoy that," Madi smiled.  She reached her hands out to his and held them for a few minutes, "Thank you AJ.  You're the first guy in a long time that I feel comfortable with...that I feel safe with."

"I want you to feel that way.  I like being with you."

Catching a glimpse of the time, Madi didn't want to leave, but she knew she had to get back to her son, "I hate to do this, I'm enjoying myself so much, but I..."

"Yeah, I should take you back home," AJ said, helping Madi up and leading her to the garage and car.

They sat in a comfortable silence on the way back to Madi's house.  He walked her to the door when they got there, trying to figure out if he was going to kiss her good night.  He knew he wanted to, he just wasn't sure.  He felt like he was back in high school!

"Can I call you tomorrow?" He finally asked her.

"I'd like that," she smiled.  She didn't want to go inside, but instead stand out here on the front porch with AJ for the rest of her life.  Then she remembered the zoo the following day, "Hey, if you really want to get to know Kaiden...come with us tomorrow.  We're going to the zoo.  I think he'd like it if you came.  That is, if you want to?"

"Wow, I haven't been to the zoo in...wow, years.  It sounds like a blast!  I'd love to come!" he finally decided to ask her, despite the cheesiness, "Can I kiss you goodnight?"

Madi nodded, biting her lip in a way that AJ found completely irresistible.  He leaned in and pressed his lips softly to hers.  His hands moved, of their on volition, up her arms and to her neck, his fingers lightly entwining in the hair at the nape of her neck.  His large hands cupped her face in a possessive yet gentle way.  Madi follow suit and her hands found their way around his body, her fingers clenching his shirt tightly in her hands, pulling him closer to her.

When they broke the kiss Madi stood still for a moment, letting out a small, contended sigh, and then a whimper at the loss.  Finally she opened her eyes to see him standing over her, that AJ grin on his face, his hands now on her shoulders.  Damn Madi was happy those hands were there.  She was afraid if his hands hadn't been there, she'd have fallen right over.

AJ waited until she unlocked the door and went in before returning to his car for the drive home that he really didn't want to make.

Chapter 4 by AJsKellyMouse

Madi was rudely awoken the following morning by none other than her son...happily jumping on the bed and her in the process.

"Kaid, what time is it?" Madi mumbled.  This was one of those moments that Madi wished her son would sleep in!

"Witta handson a, momma," Kaiden exclaimed, letting Madi know it was somewhere around eight o'clock, "Zoo!  Up momma!" Kaiden begged.

He stopped jumping and climbed on top of her, straddling her stomach, taking her face in his little hands.  When Madi didn't get moving fast enough Kaiden reached up to open her eyes for her.

"Babe relax.  The zoo doesn't open for at least an hour.  We've got plenty of time."

"Momma, g'up!" Kaiden pleaded.

"Okay, okay.  I'm up.  Go find aunt Holly and Juji and Chele.  Momma will be right down."

Kaiden squealed with joy and quickly climbed off of his mother.  Running as fast as his little legs would take him, he found the others.  Madi could hear them happily rejoicing the day at the zoo.

A few minutes later Madi made her way down the stairs and to the kitchen.  Holly already had the kids at the table eating breakfast.  Well, they were supposed to be eating breakfast, but Julia and Kaiden were mostly discussing (arguing) about the zoo.  Holly was watching the two children in amusement, Michele was rolling her eyes, and Madi went to work on lunches.

"What d'ya want for lunch Hol?" Madi asked, pulling out bread, peanut butter and jelly for the kids sandwiches.

"Hmmm...how about a nice steak, maybe a baked potato...oh, and some kind of veggie," Holly smirked, waiting for her friends sigh before giving her real answer, "How about we get something at the zoo.  I'm not so much in the mood for p, b and j."

"Easier on me.  Here, you make the sandwiches, I have to cut up apples or Kaid won't eat ‘em."

"Julia won't either," Holly commented as she pushed herself up from the chair to help with the sandwiches.

Just as Holly was putting the sandwiches into little plastic baggies the doorbell rang.  Holly shot Madi a curious look.

"Oh, right, AJ is coming with.  I forgot to tell you."

Holly went to let him in while Madi finished with the apples.

"Hello there, Mr. Backstreet Boy.  Nice of you to join us," Holly smiled as she led AJ into the kitchen.

"It sounded fun," he commented as he saw Madi at the counter and the kids eating at the table, "Good morning beautiful."

Madi smiled to herself before turning around to say hi, "Good morning.  Apple?" she laughed, holding up the plastic baggies of apples slices.

"She's been smiling like that since she walked in the door last night," Holly piped in, earning a dirty look from Madi, "I haven't seen her like this in...years!"

"Thanks, Hol," Madi said in that ‘stop it now you big freak' voice.

Holly decided to give in and went to get the kids cleaned up and dressed, and to leave the two disgustingly cute love birds alone for a minute.

AJ went over to Madi and wrapped his arms possessively around her in a ‘good morning' hug, which she, of course, returned.  It didn't last nearly long enough, but Madi still had to get dressed, and if they postponed this trip to the zoo any longer than necessary she was going to have one upset toddler.

 

They finally arrived at the zoo-about three minutes after the gates opened to let guests in.  Madi smiled to herself, thinking how right this all felt.  She and AJ held hands almost the entire time.  A simple gesture like that might not seem like much, but it felt so intimate to her.  When they weren't holding hands, it was only because AJ was being one of the kids.

He spent a lot of time talking to Kaiden-well, trying, his toddler speak can be difficult to understand without a mommy translator-and chasing him down the sidewalks or holding him up to see the animals.  And when Kaiden got tired of walking for a little while, AJ carried him piggy-back style.

Madi hung back at one point, signaling Holly she needed girl talk.

"Look at them!" Holly squealed, laughing as AJ swung Kaiden up in the air to the utter delight of the child.

"He's just a big kid playing with them like that.  I've never seen Kaid laugh like that before!  I don't know about this..."

"Madi, what the hell is the problem here?  It's totally perfect!"

"Yeah, now...what if he leaves?  What happens then?  I can't let Kaiden get all attached and then deal with that."

"Are you falling for him?"

"You know I am."

"He's obviously smitten on you and the little punk.  It's a risk you have to take.  But I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about.  Do you really think he's the kind of guy to do something like that?"


The group finally decided to stop for lunch.  They picked out a nice shady table and got everyone situated.  While Madi got the kids' lunches set, AJ and Holly went to get food for the adults.

"You look like you're having fun with Kaiden," Holly fished around to see if what she saw was real.

"He's a great kid!  I haven't had so much fun in a while," AJ answered, smiling at Holly.  She knew it was perfect then, and she had to make sure this all worked out.

"Madi's scared, though, you know?"

"Why?"

"She'll kill me if she knew I was talking to you about this...she's just trying to look out for Kaiden."

"Completely understandable, but she's got nothing to worry about."

"So...you're falling for her?"

"It's not obvious?  Nick told me this morning that I looked like I'd been smacked in the head by cupid.  He's such a fuckin' weirdo."

"Smacked in the head by cupid?  Isn't cupid supposed to shoot an arrow in your ass?"

"It's Nick, I have no idea...whatever.  I'm definitely falling for her.  And for Kaiden."

"Good.  She's just afraid to let Kaiden get too attached.  Just in case you leave.  I told her she had nothing to worry about.  I think she's a little worried about her heart, too."

"I'm not going anywhere any time soon.  I'm hooked," he smiled, glancing over at the table holding his girl and her son.


The hours past and the group covered just about every inch of the zoo.  The kids were obviously exhausted by the end of the afternoon.

Stopping for a quick dinner on the way, they made it back home without any major melt downs.  Kaiden had actually fallen asleep in his seat, and the girls were like zombies when they tried to get them out of the car.

AJ helped the girls get the kids into the house, then made his way to back to the door.

"Kaiden had so much fun with you today.  I've never seen him so happy like that.  Thank you," Madi smiled, kissing AJ's cheek.

"I had a lot of fun with him, too.  He's an amazing kid.  I'd love to spend more time with you both."

"I think he'd like that."

"And you?"

"I would definitely enjoy it."

"I'll call you tomorrow then, and we can set something up."

AJ lifted his right hand up to cup Madi's face, his thumb lightly stroking her cheek.  Raking his fingers through her messy hair, he pulled her gently towards him.  At the same time he moved closer to her, leaning down to press his lips to hers in an earth shattering kiss.

Madi's lips parted allowing him to deepen the kiss.  Her hands wove around his waist, pulling his body flush against hers, crushing her breasts against his chest.  She wondered briefly if he could feel her heart beating it was so loud and fast.

Then the kiss was over.  It seemed like an eternity, and an instant at the same time.  Neither had wanted to let go, but they both knew they had to.  With that, AJ turned and opened the door, headed for another drive home he didn't want to make.

Chapter 5 by AJsKellyMouse
A few days later Madi was woken up by the incessant ring of the phone.  Either everyone else was asleep, too, or no one wanted to answer the phone at this ungodly hour.  Well, okay, so maybe it wasn't ungodly, but it was nice to pretend.

"Hello?" Madi's voice cracked with sleep.

"Good morning gorgeous.  I didn't mean to wake you up," AJ sang into the phone.

"Mmm, it's okay.  I actually kinda like hearing your voice first thing in the morning.  You sound awfully chipper for so early in the morning," Madi commented as she stretched and began to get out of bed.

"I was hoping you didn't have any plans for the day?"

"Why?  What do you have in mind?"

"I was kinda hoping I could get you and Kaiden for the day.  Oh, and Holly...I have a little something for her, too."

"Something for Holly, huh?  Do I have reason to be jealous?" Madi laughed.

"Not unless you're using me to get to Nick."

"Not a chance.  What did you want to do?"

"Disney."

"Disney?"

"Yes, Disney."

"We could go back and forth like this all morning, so I'm going to ask...what do you mean?"

"Has Kaiden been before?"

"Actually...no.  It's been a long time since I've been.  You want to go today?"

"Yeah.  If you didn't already have plans.  You told me you had the week off while you're parents are gone.  I was hoping Holly would be available, too.  Nick and I wanted to treat you all to a fun day at Disney."

"Kaiden would love it.  Not sure about Holly though.  She's got her little sisters this week-her parents are with mine."

"Not a problem.  The more the merrier."


Madi and AJ set up the plans and an hour later the girls had the kids ready to go.  Just in time, too, because the doorbell rang, signaling Madi that the guys had arrived.  She hadn't told Holly the whole story...she wanted it to be a surprise.

Holly ran to open the door, expecting to see AJ standing there, "Hello Mr. Backstree-" but instead she found a tall blond person standing there.  Her jaw dropped and her words caught in her throat.

Madi walked up a few seconds later to take over, "Oh, I'm sorry, did I forget to mention that Nick was coming, too?"

"Hey gorgeous," AJ smiled, kissing her hello as the guys walked into the house.  Before he realized what had happened, Kaiden had run over and attached himself to AJ's legs.

Holly still stood there, mouth slightly open, still not having said a word.

"Hol, close your mouth before you drool on my floor and someone slips.  AJ thought you and Nick would get along, so these two hatched a plan to get us all out."

Holly finally snapped out of it, gave herself a little mental shake, closed her mouth and smiled, "Hi."

"Hey, Holly.  Man, you were right, this is gonna be awesome!"

The group got into cars and were on their way.  It was definitely going to be a fun-filled day!  They had decided that because Julia and Kaiden were too small to ride the "big" rides, they would take "little kid shifts".  This way all four had the opportunity to take their turn on the "big" rides.  AJ and Madi would take first shift, leaving Holly and Nick to get better acquainted since they only had to keep track of the older of Holly's younger sisters.  At lunch, the groups would switch and AJ and Madi would have their turn.


It was definitely the hottest part of the day, the sun beating down hard.  Michele had dragged AJ and Madi to the Splash Mountain line yet again.  About fifteen minutes into the wait AJ's cell phone began to ring, and since ignoring it wasn't working, he finally answered it.

"What do you want Nick?  You're turn isn't up yet.  I thought you'd be having fun with the kids?"

"Why the hell didn't you answer your phone?!?  Where are you guys?" Nick asked frantically.

"In line for Splash Mountain.  Why?"

"We got a problem.  Meet us at the entrance."

"What kind of problem?" AJ asked.

Madi's head snapped up when she heard the word problem, "What's wrong?  Did someone get hurt?"

"We kinda...lost someone..." Nick said.  AJ could hear Holly panicking in the background.

AJ grabbed Madi's hand, signaling for her and Michele to follow him out of the line and towards the entrance, "Who?"

"Who what?" Madi asked, getting more and more concerned and scared as the seconds passed.  Her hand tightened on his as the various scenarios ran through her mind.

"He was right here...I don't know what happened..." Nick was obviously upset.

Chapter 6 by AJsKellyMouse
"We'll find him Madi," AJ said, holding Madi in his arms, trying to reassure her.

Nick, Holly and Julia reached them moments later.  Holly's face was red and splotchy from crying, Julia was obviously concerned, and Nick was trying to stay cool.

"I'm so sorry Madi.  He was right next to me... I looked at the map for two seconds... he was gone," Holly cried, so afraid that her best friend would never speak to her again.

"One of the cast members told us to go to City Hall.  That's where they'll take him if they find him," Nick said, trying to remember all of the instructions that the cast member gave him.

The group fought their way through the crowd, heading back towards the front of the park, heading towards where they hoped dearly that Kaiden would be waiting for them.

Madi scanned the crowd as they walked, hoping to see her little boy's face.  All the happy kids with their moms and dads and none of them were Kaiden.

"It's okay Madi, I promise we'll find him," Alex kept trying to reassure her.  He held her hand tightly, squeezing it every so often in silent reassurance.

Finally they made it to the City Hall and AJ found the first person he could that worked there.

"He's not going to be here," Madi cried, unable to stay positive, "We're not going to find him."

"How can I help you sir?" the cast member asked.

"We lost our little boy," AJ stated simply.

Nick came up to recount the events for the cast member while Holly, Michele and Julie took Madi to sit on a nearby bench.

"We were trying to find the ride the kids wanted to go on.   To see Winnie the Pooh, and we were trying to figure out which direction to go.  We only looked away for a second to check the map.  He must have seen something and wandered off," Nick told the cast member.

"You've come to the right place.  If he's with a cast member they will bring him here.  I'm sure they'll have him here in no time.  Our cast members are well versed in the wandering children department."

Holly sat down with Madi, putting her hand gently on her friends back in a comforting gesture, "I'm so sorry Madi.  I should've been watching him better.  I'm so sorry."

AJ and Nick came over to wait with the girls, trying to keep Madi positive.  All she could seem to think about was how she was never going to see her little boy again, that someone had taken him.

"They would've heard him scream if someone took him though," AJ reasoned.

"He probably wandered over to look at something," Nick added.

"I'm so, so sorry Madi," Holly apologized again through her tears.


It seemed like an eternity had passed, but it had only been about a half an hour, maybe a little longer.  Madi sat on the bench crying, AJ comforting her, Holly was mentally beating herself up and Nick was pacing.

For the first fifteen or so minutes, every time the door opened they each looked up to see if it was Kaiden.  Madi couldn't bear to get her hopes up every time the door opened, only to have them crushed, so she stopped looking.  Of course that's when it would happen.

The door opened and in walked a cast member, tissues in one had and the hand of a child in the other.

"Momma!" he squealed through sniffles.

Madi's head popped up to make sure she hadn't been hearing things.  There was her little boy, a little sweaty and snotty, with a tear-stained face, but it was definitely him.

"Kaiden!" Madi squealed as she jumped up off the bench and ran to her son.  Bending down to hug him, she wrapped her arms tightly around him lifting him off the floor.  If she hadn't been so ecstatic to see him, she might have realized she was squeezing him a little too hard.  She didn't really care right now though, she was just so happy to have her son back.

"I found him near Buzz Lightyear.  We walked around Tomorrow land for a few minutes to see if we could find who he belonged to, and then headed here," the cast member informed them.

"Oh thank you!  Thank you so much!" Madi told the girl, smiling through happy tears.

"I'm just glad we found you."

Madi put Kaiden back down and started asking him questions, "Baby what happened?"

"Buzz momma.  Wanned a toy," he informed her.

"We had just gotten off the Buzz Lightyear ride," Holly said, "We'd looked at the toys on our way out and I told him we'd have to ask you before we got anything."

Madi looked up at Holly as she explained, "Kaiden, you can't walk away like that baby!  That's how you get lost.  Momma was so scared.  I was so worried I wouldn't find you."

After the reunion, they decided that it was time to go home.  The excitement of the afternoon had worn everyone out-no one had the desire to wait in any more lines.


On the long trek back to the cars Holly hung back away from the group.  She was so upset with herself for losing her best friend's only child.

"I know you didn't do it on purpose," Madi said, startling Holly.  She hadn't been paying attention to much of anything, so she hadn't noticed when Madi slowed down to wait for Holly.

"Mad, I'm so sorry..."

"It's fine Holly.  I don't know if I'll leave him alone with you again," she smiled, letting her friend know that all was well, "He's back, and that's all that matters."

"I don't know what I would've done if we hadn't have found him."

"But we did Holly.  I don't hate you.  It could've happened to me, too.  The girls look like they're gonna crash in the car.  Stay over one more night."

Holly nodded, giving her friend a hug.  They were going to be fine.

The ride home was quiet.  Madi was still a little shaken up, and Holly was finally starting to chill.

Madi had been right.  By the time they got back to the house Kaiden and Julia were conked out in the back seat of Madi's car, and Michele was snoring softly in the back seat of Holly's.  They guys helped get the kids out of the cars and into beds.

"I had a lot of fun with you today Holly...aside from...you know," Nick said, trying not to stick his foot too far into his mouth.

"Me, too, Nick," Holly said, giving him a nice hug good bye.  He gently kissed her cheek before turning to signal AJ.

"Let's go, dude."

"Are you gonna be okay?" AJ asked Madi.  She lightly nodded her head, "I can stay with you for a while if you want?"

"Uh, no dude, ya can't.  I've got the keys.  I have work to do, I hafta get home!"

"We can get you home later," Holly said.  She knew that Madi needed him right now, at least until she fell asleep.  Then she could take him home.

"You don't have to," Madi said, but her face clearly told him that she wanted him to stay with her.

"It's okay Nicky, I'm gonna hang out for a little while.  I'll see ya later man," AJ and Nick hugged-the manly/brotherly kind of hug-and Nick left.

Holly said her good night's and went up to the spare room for bed.  AJ and Madi cuddled up on the couch.

He leaned into the corner of the couch, his right arm up along the back.  Madi crawled up next to him, molding her body into his.  Tucking her legs underneath her, she rested against him, her head pressed up against his chest.  Her right hand moved up to play with the fabric on his shirt and his arm came down to hold her to him.  He traced lazy patterns on her arm, feeling her relax against him.  She could hear his heartbeat, lulling her to sleep.  He could feel her breathing patterns change as sleep took over her and then he finally let it take him over as well.

Chapter 7 by AJsKellyMouse

"You know who you've reached-if you don't, why'd you dial this number?  Do your thing!" AJ's answering machine announced.

"Hey bone-head...get it?  Bone head?" Nick laughed at himself, "We've got a meeting this morning.  Drag your ass outta bed!"

He waited a few seconds for AJ to answer, and when he didn't, "Fine, I'll wake you up on your cell then.

A few minutes later AJ felt the buzz from his cell phone in his pocket startle him awake.  Trying not to wake Madi up, he gently maneuvered himself so he could reach into his pocket for his phone.

"Hello?" he answered in a groggy half-whisper.

"Dude, why are you whispering?"

"Don't wanna wake up Madi.  What time is it?"

"Eight.  You slept over there?" AJ could hear the smile in his voice, "Did you get your bone on?"

"My what?  Dude, you're weird!  What the hell are you calling me for at this hour?"

"Oh, right, back to business.  We've got an emergency meeting at ten.  Kevin's prolly gonna yell at us for something."

"Yell at you, dude, you're the one getting into trouble all the time.  Who left you in charge of letting me know?  They should know better," AJ laughed.

Madi began to stir, reaching up to rub the sleep from her eyes.

"Mornin' gorgeous."

"Mmm, two mornings in a row.  A girl could get used to this," she sleepily smiled, sitting up.

"Age?  Hello??  Earth to Bone!" Nick could be heard yelling through the phone.

"Sorry dude.  I'll be there.  Thanks for letting me know!" AJ said and hung up, cutting his friend off from any further stupid comments.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to keep you here all night," Madi stretch, trying to get up.

"I kinda liked it."

Madi finally stretched out enough to get up and went into the kitchen to make breakfast.  Kaiden would be up at any time and, from the sounds of it, AJ was going to have to leave soon.  She figured it would be nice to make him a nice home-cooked breakfast after falling asleep on him the night before.


Holly spent the entire time at breakfast looking back and forth between AJ and Madi.  Madi knew she was looking for "sex hair", or hickeys, or any other clues to indicate what had happened the night before.  Madi was definitely NOT having that conversation in from of the kids or AJ.

Shortly after breakfast AJ had to leave.  No need to show up to a meeting-probably a useless waste of time meeting, but whatever-unshowered and in the same clothes he'd been seen in the day before.  Holly immediately went to work on Madi.  After occupying the kids with cartoons, she joined Madi in the kitchen to "help" her clean up.  Mostly she just sat on the counter trying to get details.

"So...?" Holly grinned.

"What?"

"You know exactly what," Holly wiggled her eyebrows.

"Nothing happened, perv-o.  We fell asleep on the couch."

"You are absolutely no fun.  I'm going to watch cartoons, at least they will be entertaining!" Holly huffed out of the kitched, upset that her vicarious living through her best friend wasn't more...exciting.

Madi was just finishing putting the dishes in the dishwasher when she heard Holly calling from the living room, "Uh, Madi, you're couch is ringing!"

"My couch?" Madi questioned as she came into the living room.

Holly was digging around in the cushions and finally came out with the source of the rinings-a cell phone, which Madi, of course, immediately snatched from her.

"AJ must have dropped it."

"Well...answer it!"

"I can't do that!  It's not my phone!  That's personal."

"But what if it's him looking for it?" Holly reasoned, knowing that it wouldn't be.  She knew AJ would call the house line to see if Madi had seen his phone, but she wanted to be nosy.

Madi kind of wanted to be curious, too, so eventually she gave in. 

"Hello?"

"I must have dialed the wrong number.  I'm looking for Alexander," a woman stated.  She sounded like a bitch.  You know, those people you can tell just by hearing them that they think they are better than you?

"Oh, no...this is his phone, but Alexander," Madi shot Holly a questioning glance, "isn't here.  I can let him know you called?"

"Who is this?" the bitch, I mean woman, asked.

"I'm a friend," was all the information Madi was willing to give this woman.

"This is his girlfriend...Sarah.  Please let him know I'm looking for him," the woman said, sounding a bit irritated, and hung up.

Chapter 8 by AJsKellyMouse

"A girlfriend?" Holly asked for at least the sixth time, "No...no, that can't be right.  It just can't be!"

"She said she was his girlfriend!  Why would someone lie to someone they don't even know?!?"

"No, just because she said it, it doesn't mean that it's true.  There has to be something more there."

"Guys are such...such...jack...holes!" Madi angrily spat out.

"Jack hole?" Holly burst into hysterical laughter, "Really?"

"Yes.  Jack holes!"

"So that would be a mix of...jack a-"

"Shush!" Madi cut her off, nodding her head towards Kaiden, "There's a parrot in the room!"

"Sorry.  What I meant was...it's a mix of jack a-s-s, and a-s-s hole?  Or is there something I'm missing there?  Some new slang I'm not up on."

"What are you doing here?  I'm upset, you're not supposed to be making jokes.  You're supposed to be upset with me!!"

"Mamma...whadda jackel?" Kaiden piped in, proving Madi's parrot point.  He seriously repeated anything that he thought he wasn't supposed to.

"Umm...it's...a..." Madi's brain was too focused on angry to do any quick thinking.

"It's an animal!" Holly chimed in, coming to Madi's aid, "Isn't it?"

Satisfied with the answer, but still believing it wasn't something to be repeated, he jumped up and down on the couch announcing, "Jackel, jackel jackel!"

He fell to the couch, giggling hysterically, which sent Holly into hysterical laughter, and pushed Madi that much closer to tears.

"Kaiden!  Sit still and watch your cartoons!" she bit off, startling him.  But he listened, sitting quietly and focusing on Curious George.

"I'm sure there's an explanation Madi.  There has to be."


AJ had called about an hour later looking for his phone, but Madi hadn't wanted to talk to him.  She made Holly answer the phone, convincing her to lie to him so she wouldn't be forced to talk to him.

"She's...in the shower.  But your phone is here."

AJ had said he would drop by to get his phone as soon as the meeting was over, and maybe he, Madi and Kaiden could have lunch or something.  Holly didn't say anything, unsure of what to tell him.

Madi had gotten herself so worked up by the time AJ had gotten there that she didn't even know where to begin.  Well, she did, but it wouldn't be so great hitting him before he even walked in the door.  Would it?

"What the fuck!" she yelled as she shoved him-hard.

"Ow!  What?  What'd I do?" he asked, truly confused.  He reached up to rub his chest where she had just shoved him.

"Sarah!" she said through gritted teeth, shoving him again to emphasize her madness.

"Ow!  Stop that!" he yelled back, "What Sarah!?!"

"Your girlfriend!  That Sarah!  Don't play stupid!" she continued to yell, jabbing a finger in his chest, not allowing him to defend himself as she kept going, "She called!  She sounds great! *sarcastic laugh* How could you do that to me?  Or her!  You're just like every other guy on this planet!  Here!  Take your damn phone and stay the fuck out of my life!"

Madi shoved the phone towards him and stormed away almost before he had reached out to grab it.

AJ didn't know what to do.  She was obviously not going to listen to anything he had to say.  And he kind of feared for his life if he were to try and talk to her any more.  He stood in the foyer for a few minutes, trying to comprehend what had just happened.  Finally, he turned to leave, not sure what else to do.

Holly ran out the front door when she saw him headed towards his parked car, "AJ!  Stop!"

"Look Holly," he stopped, whirling around, really not interested in hearing from her, too, "I don't know what just happened in there, but I'm really not interested in getting beat up by you, too."

"I told her it couldn't be how it looked.  If I stood up for you, and I was wrong, I will hunt you down, and find the most painful way to torture and kill you."

"Whoa, whoa...can I have a little explanation before you go off thinking up ways to hurt me?"

"Your girlfriend called your cell phone while you were gone."

"One, I don't have a girlfriend.  And two...why were you answering my cell phone."

"That's not what she said.  And that was kinda my fault.  I was being nosy, convinced Madi to answer it."

"So you're the one you deserves the shoves and poking.  I'm gonna have bruises from that."

"Not as bad as you'll have if you don't start explaining Sarah."

"I saw Sarah like five times.  And I haven't seen her in at least six weeks.  I haven't even talked to her...though fuck has she tried."

"Keep going..."

"She's crazy!  She keeps calling the guys looking for ‘her boyfriend'.  The bitch just won't get the hint.  I don't want to see her or talk to her!  She won't leave me alone!"

"Good.  I'm not throwing away the ‘painful ways to kill AJ' list, but I'll put it away for now.  Give Madi some time to cool off.  She's too upset right now to listen to reason.  I'll see what I can do on my end, and I'll keep you updated.  We'll get this fixed.  I need to stop talking to you now though, before Madi sees me and makes a ‘painful ways to kill Holly' list."

Chapter 9 by AJsKellyMouse
The next several days were spent like this... Holly was trying to figure out how to get Madi to talk to AJ.  AJ was panicking that Madi would never talk to him again.  Kaiden was completely confused as to why AJ hadn't come to play with him in what was forever in three year old land.  Sarah still didn't get the hint.  Oh, and Madi was trying to avoid everyone having anything to do with the entire AJ situation.  She decided it was moving time.

"You're what?" Madi's mother was completely shocked.  They had come back home to the disaster that was Madi's life.  Well, the disaster Madi was making it out to be.  Same thing, right?

"We're moving.  Not far.  I just thought it was time I take control of my life and let you and dad have your lives back," Madi stated as she went through her list to make sure she remembered everything.  She was trying to make sure that she would pack everything that they would need, leaving behind some things for the times that Kaiden visited his grandparents.

"Are you sure you are ready for this?" her mother asked.  She was waiting for the day that Madi was ready to move out on her own, but she didn't want to rush her daughter out of the house.

"It's time mom.  We'll be fine.  I found a place yesterday.  We can move in this weekend.  I was hoping you and daddy could-"

"Of course we'll help you."

"I was going to leave Kaiden's bed here so he could still visit?"

"That's really nice Madison, but where is he going to sleep?"

"I found a ‘gently used' bed for cheap.  I can pick it up tomorrow.  One for me, too.  It's your furniture,  I don't want to take it from you."

"Yeah, I'm going to let you get a used bed for my grandson.  God only knows where the bed has been or how sturdy it is.  Let me take you shopping.  It will be our little housewarming slash send-off gift."

Madi's mom had taken her and Kaiden furniture shopping.  The apartment would be a little bare at first, but Madi would have what she needed.  Her parents, as well as a few friends, were all going to get together to help Madi and Kaiden move into their new apartment.


It was moving day and Madi was crazy.  She was trying to make sure that everything was ready and that they didn't forget anything.  The group was packing boxes into various borrowed trucks to bring over to the new apartment.

Madi had just walked out with a box labeled ‘Kaiden's toys' when she spotted him walking up the sidewalk, "I'm busy right now AJ.  I don't want to talk to you."

"Madi please.  I won't keep you long."

Kaiden, who had been in his room with Julia and Michele, spotted AJ standing in the front yard and was down there as fast as his little legs could take him, "Jay!  You stop pwayen wif me!" he exclaimed, wrapping his little body around AJ's legs.

"Hey little man!  I've missed you!" AJ responded, hoping that Kaiden's actions might at least get Madi to listen to him.

"AJ's busy baby boy.  Go on back up and play with Juji," Madi pried the child off of AJ and pointed him back towards the house.

Kaiden hesitated, looking back towards AJ, obviously upset, but eventually followed his mother's directions.

"You're doing to him exactly what you didn't want me to do," AJ pointed out.

"No.  This is all your doing.  This is why I didn't want to get involved.  I can't talk about this right now."

"Madison Joelle.  We've got this under control.  Go talk to him," Madi's mom scolded her.  She had been filled in by Holly and she was fed up with her stubborn daughter's ways.

Madi threw her mom and ‘I'm so mad at you right now' look, but she passed the box off to one of the guys and went off with AJ.  The two went into the kitchen, away from listening ears, so AJ could explain it to her.

"Madi, you didn't even let me explain.  I love that kid!  I love you!  Sarah is nothing.  We went out-"

"Wait, stop.  You what?"

"I love you Madi.  You and Kaiden.  Sarah is not my girlfriend, you are.  She never has been.  We went out a few times, and she won't-"

Madi cut him off again, "Holly told me.  I just...I don't think I wanted to believe her."

"Why not?"

"I was scared.  This has all happened so fast.  I mean, I just met you!  This is crazy!"

"Do you love me?"

"I...yeah," Madi smiled, realizing that she really did.  That's when it all clicked for her.

"Then what's the problem?" he smiled.

She stepped towards him, wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling him down to her.  Pressing her lips gently against his for a second, she said against his mouth, "There isn't one."


Madi and AJ eventually re-appeared from the house, obviously back to normal.  Holly squealed, almost dropping the box she was carrying to a truck, and startled everyone.  I think the neighbors down the street could even hear the squeal of delight.

Quickly putting the box on the truck, she ran over to Madi and AJ for details.  AJ kissed Madi on the cheek and went to help the others with the boxes, a huge grin on his face the entire time.

Holly dragged Madi inside on the pretense that they were going through the two bedrooms to check for anything left behind.  Madi had that stupid, silly grin on her face, and Holly knew something major had happened.

"Okay, so you two weren't gone long enough for...you know...unless he's a fast shot.  But you wouldn't have that stupid grin on your face if that were the case.  And you don't have sex hair.  I have no idea.  Spill..."

"What, your superpower isn't working?"

"Shut the hell up and spill!"

"You want me to shut up, or you want me to spill?"

"Holy crap I'm gonna kill you if you don't dish!"

"If you kill me, I can't tell you what happened!" Madi grinned, knowing she was driving her friend crazy.  It earned a dirty look, "Okay, okay.  He loves me!"

"Thank you captain obvious, but that doesn't explain what happened."

"Listen to me!  He told me he loves me!" Madi squealed.

"Wow, big step for Majay."

"Umm...confused?" Madi's eyebrows knitted in utter confusion.

"Majay.  Come on!  Keep up!  Madi and AJ...Majay."

"Omigod, you're a freak!"

"What?!?  The celebrities can do it, why can't I?"

"Cause it's weird?  Don't call us that.  It's so...weird."

"Fine, fine, whatever.  What if I think of a better one?  Like...Alexadison?"

Madi just shook her head, "If Nick is anything close to what AJ said...you two would be perfect!  Alexadison?"

"Hey, it works.  And it sounds better.  Your choice."

Again, Madi shook her head and headed back outside to help finish with the moving.

Chapter 10 by AJsKellyMouse
Author's Notes:
I had major issues with this chapter.  Characters didn't want to cooperate, and it was more difficult for me then I thought it would be.  I hope it came off okay, and that you enjoy it!  Feedback is fabulous!

The furniture that Madi and her mother had ordered was supposed to arrive the same day Madi and Kaiden were moving into their new place.  It was much like the electrician or the likes...sometime between 6AM and 6PM.  Of course, it never arrived.  So, of course, Madi and Kaiden had nothing to sleep on.  No beds, no couch, no table and chairs...not that they would sleep on a table and chairs.

Unwilling to let her son spend the night on the floor, she decided to ship him back to grandma and grandpa's house for one more night.  And then she immediately made a phone call to the furniture place to yell.  Lots of yelling.

Madi had intended on spending the night as well, but AJ convinced her to let him take her out for the night.  To celebrate the fact that she didn't hate him anymore.  He would bring her back to her parent's house later that night.

"So, where are you taking me?" Madi questioned.  All he had told her was that it was a surprise, and to wear something cute and comfy.

"Not even a hint?  How do I know what to wear if I don't know what we're going to be doing?"

I already told you, cute and comfy.  None of those damn high heels that you girls like to wear either.  I don't know how you wear those."

"They make our legs look longer," Madi defended her female sex's choice to wear those damn high heels.

"Your legs are just fine.  I'll pick you up in an hour.  Cute and comfy," he said hanging up.

Madi immediately began trying to convince Holly to find out where he was taking her.  She hated surprises!  Holly refused to tell her, but made a compromise.  She would find out where they were going, and then help her get ready.  AJ had made her swear upon consequence of long and painful death that she wouldn't tell Madi.

Eventually Madi gave up her quest to find out where she was being taken, satisfied that she was at least going to be dressed well for the event.  Holly had chosen one of her own dresses for Madi to wear.  It was a little yellow and blue thing.  It would be perfect on Madi.

Right on time, there was a knock on the door.  AJ and Holly waited in the front room while Madi got her purse and shoes-not high heels, but sandals-together to complete her look.

"Wow...I...wow," AJ stuttered when Madi came down the hall to where they were waiting.  He pulled out a small bouquet of Madi's favorite flowers, white lilies, and handed them to her.

He started at her feet, noting the lack of high heels as he had requested, and instead seeing a pair of flat sandals that looked as though they were meant to go with the dress.  Moving up her bare legs, he came to the hem of the dress just above her knees.  The little blue and yellow dress flowed around her body.  It showed just enough skin to leave AJ wanting more, with it's wide straps and u-shaped neck line.

"Thank you," Madi smiled.

"I just...wow."

"You said that already Mr. Backstreet Boy.  We know she looks ‘wow'.  I got her ready, she'd have to look ‘wow' with my skills.  Okay, you two have fun.  Bye now Alexadison!"

AJ's eyebrows knit in confusion and Madi shot Holly a look.

"No?  I thought that's what we'd decided on.  I though you had ruled out Majay.  Or was I wrong?"

"What the hell is she talking about?"

"I'll explain in the car.  Let's go before she gets any more ideas."


The second they were out on the road Madi went to work trying to figure out where they were going.  AJ quickly changed subjects, asking for an explanation on the Alexadison/Majay thing.  So Madi went to work explaining her very weird best friend.


A short time later AJ pulled up to an empty field, a few trees scattered here and there, and...a blanket?  There was a blanket laying a few feet in front of them.  In the middle of an empty park.

"What are we doing here?"

"Dinner for two, under the stars," AJ led Madi the few feet to the blanket and indicated for her to sit.

He quickly ran back to the car, pulling some things out of the trunk.  He came back with a basket, and a boom box.  Setting things up around the blanket, he sat down with her.

"Wow, AJ.  This is amazing."

"I was hoping you would think so," he replied as he began to pull various foods out of the basket.

Sandwiches, not super romantic, but he made them himself, so that should count for something, came out first.  Setting them out on small paper plates, he handed one to Madi.  He then pulled out a container holding chocolate covered strawberries.

Turning the music on softly, the couple began to eat and talk.

"Was this a spur of the moment picnic?  Or had you planned it, hoping I would cave?"

"Oh I knew you would cave.  I knew you couldn't resist me," AJ laughed, earning a laugh from Madi as she leaned over and playfully hit him in the arm.

"Couldn't resist you...you're just lucky Kaiden loves you."

"Only Kaiden?" he pouted.

"Oh put the lip away.  You know I've fallen for you."

"You're amazing Madi.  I don't know what I would do if I ever lost you."

"I'm not going anywhere."

AJ and Madi sat talking about life, Kaiden, everything.  Madi lay back on the blanket after she had finished eating, looking up at the stars, listening to AJ talk about touring and life in the spotlight.  AJ put the leftovers back into the basket, pushing it off to the side.  He went to the radio, fiddling with the stations before finally landing on one that satisfied him.

"C'mon," he got to his feet.

"What?" Madi sat up, taking AJ's hands.  He pulled her to her feet.

"Dance with me," he said, pulling her to him and wrapping his arms around her waist.

Madi leaned against him, her arms going up around his neck.  She laid her head on his chest as the couple began slowly swaying to the music.

After a few silent seconds of dancing, AJ leaned down, almost whispering the words to her, "'Cause only you can save me, oh can't you see...I can't imagine life without your love...and even forever don't seem like long enough..."

Madi smiled against his chest as he softly sang to her the lyrics of one of their songs, holding him tighter in her arms.

"Everytime I breathe I take you in...and my heart beats again...Baby I can't help it...
You keep me drowning in your love..."


When Madi's furniture had arrived the next morning, Madi was nowhere to be found.  The furniture guys had called Madi's parent's house to let them know they were there.  Madi's mom had gone in to wake Madi up, only to discover Madi had never made it back home the night before.

Madi turned up about an hour later, in the same dress she had gone out in the night before.  It was obvious to her mother that Madi had not spent the night with Holly because AJ had brought her back that morning.  They had spent the night together.

End Notes:
If you want to see the dress that I used as inspiration for Madi's dress in this chapter, you can see it at this link: http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj277/KellyMouse84/A%20New%20Life/MadisDress.jpg
Chapter 11 by AJsKellyMouse
Author's Notes:
I've been hard at work on this chapter!  Not much longer now before this story comes to a close and I will begin my next re-write.  Enjoy!

"Did you let Kaiden organize this pantry?" Holly joked as she attempted to put groceries away in the cabinets.  Madi and Kaiden had been on their own for several weeks and were pretty much completely settled into their new place.  Many of their evenings had been spent with company, most often AJ or Holly, so they had to settle in fast.

When she didn't get a response, Holly turned towards Madi to see what was going on, "Madi?  Where did you go?"

Holly put down the groceries in her hands and went into the living room to find Madi listening to the answering machine.

"Hey gorgeous, I wanted to talk to you tonight.  Come on over around six.  And see if Holly will watch Kaiden for us?  Love you."

"Omigod."

"What?" Holly was grinning ear to ear, until she saw the look on Madi's face, "What's wrong?"

"He's going to break up with me!" Madi cried.

"Okay drama queen.  Chill out.  I doubt that's what he is doing," Holly tried to reassure her.  She knew what was going on, but it was another one of those ‘sworn to secrecy by threat of long and painful death' things.

"How do you know?  I mean, you heard him.  That didn't sound like a happy kind of thing.  What else could it be?"

"Madi, chill.  I'm sure it will all be fine."

"What if he's leaving?  Or he found another girl!"

"How about this...you sit here and analyze the tone of AJ's voice on an answering machine message, while you list all of the horrible possibilities that could be tonight...and I'm going to eat all of your food."

"But it just didn't sound good..."

"Yep, okay then, have fun, I'm going to pig out.  Find me when you've stopped freaking."


Madi eventually relaxed herself enough to realize that Holly knew more than she was letting on, "You're too calm not to know anything!"

"I know nothing."

"Yes you do!"

"I...no...I was just listening to the same message as you.  He didn't sound upset or mad or anything.  He sounded nervous if anything.  You should know that by now.  You two are inseparable after all.  Alexadison, Majay, whatever we decided on, attached at the lips!"

"Fine.  I'm not speaking to you until you tell me what's going on."

"Well that's not happening, so I guess you're not talking to me then."

"So you do know something?"

"I thought you weren't talking to me?"

"Oh don't try and change the subject.  What do you know?"

"I know that I'm not telling you anything, and you will just have to wait to find out what is going on."

"You know...I don't like you very much right now."

"Eh, such is life.  I suggest you go wash up before to you go out to AJ's.  I'll pick Kaiden up from your mom's."

Madi glared at Holly's retreating figure, her arms defiantly crossed.

"Oh, and don't try calling him to find out either.  He won't answer."

Madi, like a little kid mad that she wasn't getting her way, threw her arms up and stomped her foot.  Only to earn a laugh from Holly.

"We are not attached at the lips!"

"A little late on that comment, don't you think?" Holly grinned as she stepped through the door, "Go on now, get changed.  See you later!"

The door closed behind Holly, leaving Madi alone and frustrated.  She went into the kitchen to finish putting the groceries away, deciding whether or not she wanted to follow the instructions she had been given.

Eventually her curiosity got the better of her, and she went into her room to change and freshen up.


She pulled up to his house, and parked the car.  She was only a few minutes late, why was the house so dark?

"This better not be some kind of joke," Madi said quietly to herself.

She got out of the car and went up to the front door.  As she reached up to knock, she noticed a little note taped to the door:

Hey gorgeous, It's unlocked.  Come on in.

Madi studied the note for a second.  Deciding that she needed to know what was going on, Madi pushed the door open and stepped in.

The house was dimply lit with candles, soft music coming from one of the rooms.  There was a lily laying on the table in the foyer.  Madi immediately went over to the lily and picked it up, noticing a small piece of paper attached to the stem.  Another piece of paper was lying on the table:

There are 14 lilies in the house, each with a letter.  Find them each and unscramble the message.

Madi lifted the square of paper attached to the lily and read the letter "W".  Walking down the hall the found the next lily with an "o" attached.  Moving through the house she found thirteen of the fourteen lilies, and set them on the kitchen table.  Pulling the letter squares off of each of the lilies she began to attempt unscrambling the letters for her secret message.  She had been unable to locate the final lily, and figured she might be able to figure it out without it.

Madi laid the letters out in front of her:

L M W I Y R Y A O L U R

Madi spent several minutes moving the letters around, finally discovering the words "Will you marry" with an additional M.

AJ had been standing out of sight, watching Madi work through the puzzle, waiting for the right time to make his appearance.

"I think you're missing a letter," AJ said holding out the fourteenth lily.

Madi turned around, slightly startled at the sound of his voice, but smiled.  She took the last lily from him, reaching down the pull the letter off of the lily.  She had already figured out what was going on.

When she reached down to pull of the small square of paper she also felt something cold and hard.  Her eyes widened and she looked down to see the most beautiful ring hanging from the string with the last letter, the "e".

AJ got onto one knee in front of Madi, smiling shakily.  Madi hadn't said anything, so he was becoming more and more unsure.

"Madi, I love you.  I said it that night we had our picnic under the stars...I don't know what I'd do if I lost you.  You and Kaiden have brought so much to my life I didn't know I needed or was even missing.  I want to go to sleep next to you every night, and wake up next to you every morning.  I want to have breakfast every morning with you and Kaiden.  I want to spend my life making you happy, taking care of you both.  I want to be your husband and Kaiden's dad.  Will you let me do that?  Will you marry me Madison Joelle Grey?"

Madi was speechless.  Tears, of happiness and excitement, were threatening to escape.  All she could do was nod and smile.

AJ got up and pulled the ring from the string attaching it to the flower and took her hand.

"Say it for me.  I need to hear you say it," he whispered.

Madi nodded again, "Yes AJ.  Yes!  Yes!  I would love nothing more than to be your wife!"

End Notes:
If you'd like to see the ring I visualized for Madi and AJ's engagement, you can find it here: http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj277/KellyMouse84/A%20New%20Life/MadisRing.jpg
Chapter 12 by AJsKellyMouse
Author's Notes:
This is the second to last chapter.  Stay tuned for the final chapter!

Madi and AJ's next task was telling people.  Since Holly obviously already knew, Madi decided to leave her for last.  She knew she would hear about that later, but since Holly tortured her, she thought it only fair to give some torture back.

The newly engaged couple chose first to tell Madi's parents.  AJ had gone to Madi's parents earlier in the day...

"Mr. and Mrs. Grey, I know that I haven't been seeing your daughter for a very long time, but I feel we have this special connection," AJ had begun.

Both parents nodded, Madi's mother smiling.  She had known this day was coming, and she was quite pleased that AJ had come to them first.

"Go on," Madi's father prompted.

"I wanted to come to you both first.  I would like to ask your daughter to marry me.  I wanted to have your permission and blessing before I did so."

Madi's mom squealed like a little girl, so happy for her daughter.

Her father, on the other hand, kept a straight face, "And if you don't have our blessing?"

"I...ummm..." AJ hadn't been expecting that and was caught completely off guard.

"Oh Phillip.  Stop that now," Rita scolded her husband, then turned back to AJ, "He's just giving you a hard time.  You have our every blessing!  I've known this day was coming from the first time I saw the two of you together!"

"Thank you Mrs. Grey," AJ said to Madi's mom, still looking hesitantly at her dad.

"Please, call me Rita...or mom!" She said, taking AJ's hand to give it a gentle squeeze.  She nudged her husband, indicating it was high time he gave up his little intimidation game.

"Welcome to the family AJ!" he finally smiled, giving AJ a hug.

"Mom!  Dad!  Are you here?" Madi called as they walked in the front door.

"In the kitchen Madi!" her mom called back.  AJ and Madi followed her voice into the kitchen, finding the couple sitting at the table, a card game going on the table in front of them.

Madi's mom finished her hand, threw down her cards and went to her daughter.  Hugging her tightly in her arms, Madi could tell she was beginning to cry.

"So did everyone know but me?" Madi laughed, hugging her mom and looking towards AJ.

He shrugged sheepishly, "Kaiden doesn't know...if that helps?"

Madi rolled her eyes and laughed.

"AJ came to us this afternoon," Rita began.

"He came to ask our permission and blessing.  That's the only reason we know," her dad added.

"We're so happy for you both!" Rita cried.  She let go of Madi and took her hand to examine the ring, "It's gorgeous!"

"A gorgeous ring for a gorgeous girl," AJ grinned.


Madi had insisted they wait until morning before going to Holly's.  Kaiden would spend the night with Holly, and AJ could have their first night together as an engaged couple without a crazy three year old.  That would give Holly plenty of time to go crazy and wonder how it had all gone down!

They had stayed for a while with Madi's parents.  Madi had recounted the proposal for her mother, and the guys had sat and talked about ‘guy stuff'.  (Author's Note: I still don't know what this ‘guy stuff' guys insist on talking about alone over brandy and cigars is, but I swear it has to be worse than our girl talk!)

They had gone back to AJ's house, talking into the wee hours of the morning.  Well, talking in between ‘other stuff'.  They discussed the whole living situation, deciding to move Madi and Kaiden in as soon as they could.  There was enough space in this house for them.  And they wanted to start being a family as soon as they could!


Madi turned on her cell phone to six voice mail messages, and a number of other missed calls.  All from Holly.  The messages were progressively more threatening.  They began with, "Not sure I want to know what you two are doing right this second, but call me back!"  And ended with, "Why are you so mean to me?  Just because I wouldn't tell you what was going on?  I don't like you very much right now either!  So there!"

Madi laughed as she listened to the messages.  It was finally time to get Kaiden and see Holly.

AJ and Madi had decided to talk to Kaiden together.  Madi wasn't sure how well Kaiden would understand, but she figured between the two of them, they could get the point across.  Madi set up a lunch date with Holly to share details later, but she wanted to talk to Kaiden right away.

They took him for a special treat at this hour-ice cream.  As the three sat in the park with their ice cream, AJ and Madi decided it was a good time to try and explain.

"Baby boy, momma and AJ want to talk to you."

"'Tay momma," he looked up at them, taking a lick from his dripping ice cream cone.  The chocolate ice cream he had insisted upon having was covering his face, dripping down the cone onto his hands, and spotting his shirt.

"Okay little man.  Momma and I are going to get married."

He just looked up at them, obviously not getting it.  Madi hadn't thought he would.

"Baby boy, you and I are going to go live in AJ's house.  What do you think about that?"

"AJ's be my daddy?" he asked, his little face lighting up, "Juji has daddy.  I wanta AJ be my daddy."

"That's right little man.  You and momma are going to come live at my house.  And you'll have a nice big bedroom there.  And lots of room to play.  And a big back yard to play with your toys," AJ smiled as Kaiden's face got brighter and brighter.

"Anna simmin'?"

"Yep.  We can go swimming all the time."

"Oh don't tell him that!" Madi laughed, knowing that her son would want to be swimming in the middle of December.

"And if you want, little man, I'm going to be your daddy."

Kaiden hopped off the bench and ran around to AJ and Madi.  His ice cream almost forgotten in his hand, he wrapped himself around AJ in a sticky chocolate hug.

"Welcome to parenthood," Madi smiled at AJ and they kissed.


AJ had taken Kaiden for the afternoon while Madi had her lunch date with Holly.

"You are so mean," Holly grumbled.

"Oh come on!  It was funny," when Holly didn't laugh she continued, "At least I thought it was.  You do crap like that to me all the time.  It's not like I was never going to tell you.  Besides, you already knew he was proposing!"

"You're still mean, but I don't hate you anymore."

"Good, cause if you did, I would have to find a new best friend to tell."

"You better tell me.  He told me he was proposing.  He made me help him pick the ring.  But I had no idea how he'd actually do it."

Madi recounted the proposal to Holly, to many ‘aww's and ‘how cute's.  And the wedding planning had immediately started.

Chapter 13 by AJsKellyMouse
Author's Notes:
It's a short chapter, but it is the final one.  I bring the story to a close here!  Enjoy!

Exactly one year to the day AJ and Madi met, they were brought together as an official family.  Holly and Madi had spent every free second going through magazines and trying on dresses, tasting cake and choosing flowers.  All the hard work had come to this one day.  The day that every little girl dreams about as they grow up.  Or at least most little girls.  It was Madi's wedding day.

Madi was holed away in the master bedroom with her mom, her best friend, and a select few other friends.  You'd have thought the world was coming to and end and these ladies were the last hope the way they were running around.  Madi's gown, a beautiful gown though not what her mom had pictured, hung in the corner, waiting to be put on for the big moment.

The strapless, white gown had a blue sash to tie in the bridesmaids dresses of the same shade of blue.  It wasn't a traditional gown with the big poofy skirt and long train, but it was perfect for Madi.  And the bouquet...the bouquet of white irises sat on the table by the door until it was time for the walk down the aisle.

AJ and the rest of the guys, his best men, were banned from the bedroom where the girls were.  Madi had made AJ stay with one of the guys the night before, following with the old wives tail that it was bad luck for the groom to see the bride for the twenty-four hours before the wedding.

The time had come.  Madi put on her gown, everyone straightening things out, making sure it was perfect.  The guys each took their places in the back yard.  The guests were all there and eagerly awaiting the ceremony.

They had set the back yard up the morning before for the ceremony.  On one end of the yard was the flower covered arch where Madi and AJ would be officially joined.  The guests' chairs moved back from there on either side of the aisle that Madi would walk down to meet her new husband.

AJ stood with the priest at the arch, Kevin, Nick, Brian and Howie each standing to his side.  And little Kaiden, all decked out in matching tuxedo-and not enjoying it too terribly much-was standing at the very end.

The music began, letting the guests know that it was time.  Each of the bridesmaids made their way down the aisle, taking their places on the bride's side.  And then it was Madi's turn.

The guests stood and turned to watch for her.  Slowly she began to make her way down the aisle, escorted by her father.

At the end of the aisle her father took AJ's hand in his, "You take care of my girl and my grandson."

The men shook hands before Phil put Madi's hand into AJ's, signaling that he was officially giving her to him.

"We are gathered here today on this beautiful Florida afternoon to witness the union of this man and this woman in holy matrimony," the priest began.

"I love you," AJ mouthed to Madi as the priest went through his whole schpeil, and she returned with the same.

"Do you, Alexander James Mclean, take this Madison Joelle Grey to be your lawfully wedded wife, in sickness and in health, for rich or for poor, till death do you part?"

"I do."

"And do you, Madison Joelle Grey, take this Alexander James Mclean to be your lawfully wedded husband, in sickness and in health, for rich or for poor, till death do you part?"

"I do."

The two exchanged rings, putting them on each other's fingers.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife.  You may kiss your bride."

AJ and Madi shared a beautiful kiss before Kaiden chimed in, "Momma, we married yet?"

Everyone laughed and the priest finished, "Ladies and gentleman, it is my honor to present to you the Mclean family!"

End Notes:
If you would like to see the wedding gown Madi wore, you can find a picture here: http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj277/KellyMouse84/A%20New%20Life/MadisGown.jpg
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8855