D is for Diesel by Nijntje
Summary:

Howie has trouble deciding on a nickname for his boxing-alter ego during the Unbreakable Tour. We all know he decided on Diesel. Now find out how exactly.

Written for the AC-board February challenge.


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group
Genres: Humor
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 998 Read: 778 Published: 03/20/08 Updated: 03/20/08
Story Notes:

These were the rules:
~ Story has to be 1000 words or less
~ You must explain how Howie got the nickname diesel
~ You have to get at least one song title into your story without using it asa title

1. Chapter 1 by Nijntje

Chapter 1 by Nijntje

“What about ‘dazzle’?”

 

“Right, A.J. My trademark will be I cause blindness among our fans. Next.”

 

“I think it’s kinda cool though.”

 

“Well, I disagree. Anyone got a better idea that doesn’t imply injuries or something?”

 

“I still don’t get it, D. Why not just go with ‘Sweet D.’?”

 

“Blindness? What does ‘dazzle’ mean exactly again?”

 “Jeez.. slow much? Alright Nick, here it comes. Focus! Dazzle: brightness enough to blind partially and temporarily.” 

“First, because I’ve been ‘Sweet D.’ for over 14 years and second, I honestly don’t think it fits as a nickname for a pugilist.” 

“A what?”  “A boxer, Nick. A boxer.” Brian said as he slowly shook his head. “Come on, Howie. We’ve been here for almost two hours deciding on only our boxing-outfits and nicknames. I wanna go home and crash. Isn’t there any other way to just come up with something catchy within the next hour or so?” 

“Alright, alright. I think I got an idea. I’ll be right back.” Howie sighed as he got up.  

“Where are you going?” Brian asked as he put his feet on the table. 

 
“Downstairs.” Howie yelled as he walked over to the staircase.  

Deciding on the others names had been easy. For once, Nick was the first one to choose his. Where the hell A.J. got his from, Howie had no idea. Picking a name for Brian was a bit more challenging. He couldn’t decide between ‘The Daddy’ and ‘The Rok’, but after debating it for a while he went with the first. That left only him, but he had no inspiration whatsoever. He just knew he didn’t want to go with ‘Sweet D.’ again. It was time for something new, something fresh. Not too fresh though, because he did want it to start with a ‘D’.  

As he walked down the steps, he thought of the names he had immediately discarded. ‘Devilish’ because it was just not him. ‘Desire’ in his opinion, was more suitable for a woman, and more precisely a woman working the streets. ‘Dark’ because it seemed just a bit strange. Then there was ‘Dirty’. A.J. came up with that one, but when he mentioned it made him think of Christina Aguilera’s single ‘Dirrty’, Howie immediately discarded the idea. ‘Deinonychus’ was Nick’s idea, but Howie had no idea what it stood for. It turned out to be a killer dinosaur that was about 5 feet tall. It supposedly had a large, sickle-shaped claw on each foot. Nick laughed that at least his height was about the same. Howie figured most fans would have no idea what it was as well and he wanted to avoid them thinking of very strange, maybe even inappropriate things. And there were many more, but nothing seemed to fit Howie.

 

After finding what he was looking for, he went back up to the conference room where he found Brian dozing off, Nick sketching a dinosaur and A.J. throwing paper planes.

 

“So much for being young, hard working, vibrant adults, hey guys.” Howie laughed as he not so accidentally kicked Brian’s chair. The poor guy in it almost launched himself as he shot up.

Nick simply responded by sticking out his tongue and A.J. threw a plane at him.

 

“What you got there, D?”

 

“This, my dear Nick, is a dictionary. And this device is gonna help us decide which nickname I’ll use during our ‘introduction’-thing. I’m just gonna randomly pick a word that starts with a ‘d’ and use that one. Or.. I take that back. I get 3 shots.”

 

“Lemme do that, otherwise you gonna back out on that when you don’t like any of them.” Brian said as he reached for the book.

 

“Alright.” Howie replied. But he hesitated before giving him the dictionary. What if those three words were stupid, awful, inappropriate or cheesy? He then decided to cross that bridge when and if he got to it.

 

Brian looked up the ‘d’-section, closed his eyes, flipped through some of the pages and then dropped his finger on one of the words. Nick leaned in so he could see which word Brian, or maybe fate, had chosen for his bandmate.

 

“What is it, Nick?” Howie asked.

 

But the younger one was laughing too hard to answer.

 “It’s ‘dove’, Howie.” Brian smiled. “Meaning ‘any of numerous small pigeons; an emblem of peace or someone who prefers negotiations to armed conflict in the conduct of foreign relations’.” 

“All very suitable for a boxer.” A.J. smirked. “NOT!” 

“Next!” Howie smiled.  

So Brian chose another word, which turned out to be ‘duty’. They all agreed that wasn’t a very applicable word either.  

That left Howie with one more chance of getting an actually cool or at least fitting nickname. He actually closed his eyes too as Brian picked the last word.  

“Do I wanna know what it is?” He hesitantly asked.  

“I think so yeah. It’s kinda cool actually.” Nick answered honestly.  

When both Brian and A.J. said they agreed he opened his eyes and looked which word Brian was pointing too.  

“Diesel?”  

“Yeah. You know ‘an internal-combustion engine that burns heavy oil’ or it could just be the fuel. Let’s see, the dictionary says ‘diesel fuel’ is ‘a heavy mineral oil used as fuel in diesel engines’. You could be the fuel to get the party or fight started. I don’t know about you, but I think it fits the boxing theme.” Brian said as he closed the dictionary.  

“I think you should go with diesel, D.” A.J. nodded.  

“Hmm.. Howie ‘Diesel’ Dorough.” Howie thought about it for a second. “I like it.”  

“Thank God.” Brian replied. “Now let’s get out of here before you change your mind again.”  

“I didn’t change my mind that much. You just came up with crappy ideas.” Howie laughed as he grabbed his jacket. “Diesel. Howie ‘Diesel’ Dorough. I think I really, really like it.” He said to himself as he closed the door behind him.

End Notes:

And, did you find the song title?? Because I really did put one in there.. ;)

BTW, I'm not sure if the AC word counting is the same as in Word. Word counts 993 words so I didn't even break that rule, lol..

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8906