Boiling Point by BSBSavedMyLife
Summary:


Cassandra is a teacher who lives a pretty normal life. To save herself heartache, she buries herself in her work and makes no room for love. However, when her closest friends, Brian and Leighanne, decide to butt into her love life, she is quick to reject her introduction to Howie. He has to prove to her that not all guys are rotten to the core.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Howie
Genres: Romance
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 3113 Read: 4737 Published: 05/06/08 Updated: 05/21/08

1. Chapter 1 by BSBSavedMyLife

2. Chapter 2 by BSBSavedMyLife

3. Chapter 3 by BSBSavedMyLife

Chapter 1 by BSBSavedMyLife
"Come on, Cassandra," Brian whined. "You have to come. Everyone is going to be there."

Cassandra sighed and put down her pen. "Brian, I have so much work to do tonight. Tomorrow is the first day of school, and I have to be prepared for my classes. I can't show up tomorrow and have nothing to present to my students. What is it that you don't understand about this?"


Brian sat down in the chair next to her and grabbed her arm. "Please, come to Baylee's birthday party. You're his godmother. It would mean so much to us if you'd come."

Cassandra looked into the eyes of her best friend and smiled. "Okay, I'll go. I'll just finish up what I can before I leave, then come back home and finish up everything else. Does that suit you?"


"Absolutely!" Brian said as he stood up. "It's nothing formal, just wear something comfortable. We're meeting at Fassnight Park at 4:00."

"Okay, I'll be there," Cassandra said as she got up and followed Brian to the door.


"Thanks, Cass," Brian said with a smile.

Cassandra smiled back. "You're welcome. I'll see you at four," she said the watched Brian get into his car and leave.


Later that afternoon, Cassandra arrived at the park and nervously stepped up to everyone. She wasn't nervous to see her friends, but nervous to meet new people. It was not her idea of the perfect way to spend her afternoon. Cassandra checked her makeup one more time in the rearview mirror and sighed. She knew there was no way around this. She put on her brave face, grabbed Baylee's present and got out of the car.

Everyone was gathered around the pavilion talking among themselves. Cassandra spotted Brian and Leighanne standing next to the table with Baylee sitting in a high chair. She walked up to them with a smile on her face.


"Cassandra!" Leighanne said as she hugged her. "I'm so glad you came. I haven't seen you in forever!"

"I know, I've been really busy with summer school."


"Yeah, Brian said you got a job at a new school."

"Yeah, I've been driving myself crazy with all the new lesson plans I have to come up with."


"Well, I'm sure you'll do fine."

"Thanks," Cassandra said as she handed Leighanne Baylee's gift. "Here you go. I got him that toy truck he was playing with in the toy store last week."


"The one that lights up and makes a honking noise?" Brian asked.

"Yup, that's the one," Cassandra replied.


"Cool!" Brian said in excitement.

Cassandra laughed. "I think Brian's going to have more fun with the toy than Baylee."


Leighanne laughed along with her. "That's the way it always seems to go. So, what else have you been up to?" she asked as she sat down on the bench in front of the table. "Have a seat, we'll chat a while?"

Cassandra sat next to Leighanne and crossed her legs. "Well, not much really. I haven't time to do anything that doesn't involve my career."


Leighanne raised up her right eyebrow. "So, no new men in your life?"

"Leigh, you know I don't date much."


"But you should. I swear, for as long as I've known you, no man has been able to get into your heart. Girl, you need to get with the program. Life's too short to just sit around and be lonely."

"You sound like my mother," Cassandra said bluntly.


"I'm not trying to be your mother, I'm trying to be your friend. Brian and I worry about you being alone so much. You can't spend your life being a workaholic. It's not healthy."

"I know...it's just so hard for me to meet any decent men around here. Not only for a relationship, but friendship too. I mean, you, Brian, Nick, A.J. and Kevin are great, but I need someone in my life that I can actually spend time with, you know?"


"I understand. Let me think of some guys I could introduce you to..."

"Leighanne, don't. I hate setups."


"I've got it!" Leighanne exclaimed.

"Oh, Lord, here we go," Cassandra said as she rolled her eyes.


"Howie!"

"Leighanne, please don't do this."


"No, I'm serious. Howie's a sweetheart. You've never met him before. He's a bit of a flirt, but I bet you could tame him down. He'll be here later."

"Leigh, did you not here me when I said I hate setups? God, what is it with you and Brian? You two don't seem to understand the concept of no."


Leighanne sighed loudly. "Cass, I just want to introduce you two. Not set up on a date. Howie's a nice guy, trust me. You just have to meet him. Whatever you decide to do after that is all on you. No pressure."

Cassandra shook her head and threw her hands up in surrender. "Fine, I'll meet him. But don't get mad at me if I don't like him."


"Don't worry I won't."

"I swear, the things I do for my friends."


Leighanne laughed and stood up. "Come on, help me with the cake and the rest of the food."

"Alright," Cassandra said, followed her to the other side of the table.
Chapter 2 by BSBSavedMyLife
Cassandra was helping Leighanne prepare the cake when she noticed a rather good looking man approach the group by the swings. He was wearing jeans and a T-shirt with a baseball cap on. Cassandra watched him as he played with Baylee and handed him a bag with a present inside.

“Who is that?” Cassandra asked Leighanne.

Leighanne looked up and smiled. “That’s Howie.”

“Really?”

“Yup,” she said with a grin. “You think he’s cute, don’t you?”

“Well, he’s not ugly,” Cassandra said as she put a piece of cake onto a plate.

Leighanne laughed. “You will like him. He’s a really sweet guy.”

“I don’t know how about this, Leighanne. I mean, I’ve never had much luck in the guy department.”

“That’s because you shut them down before they can prove yourself to them,” she said as she laid out some forks. “Look, if I introduce him to you, you have to promise me one thing.”

“What’s that?”

“You have to give him a chance.”

Cassandra sighed and shook her head. “I can’t promise that.”

“Okay, well, at least promise that you will try.”

“Okay, I promise,” Cassandra replied.

Brian came up behind Leighanne and kissed her neck. “Is is cake time?” he asked as he squeezed her waist.

Leighanne laughed and handed him a plate. “Yes,” she said. “Don’t go crazy with it. You‘re already wound up as it is,” she said then kissed him.

Brian grinned and took a bite out of the cake. “Mmm, cake,” he said in a goofy voice.

Cassandra laughed as she bent down and picked up Baylee. “My goodness you’re getting so heavy.”

“Cake!” he shouted.

Cassandra laughed and put his in his highchair. “You want him to have a piece now?” she asked Leighanne.

Leighanne smiled and handed Cassandra a plate. “Just give him small bites and he’ll stop when he’s full.”

Cassandra took the plate and faced Baylee. “Alright, it’s time for the birthday boy to eat his cake!”

“Yay!” he shouted while clapping his hands.

Cassandra laughed and fed him a small piece. “Mmm,” she said with a smile. “That’s good stuff, isn’t it?”

“More!” he demanded.

“Baylee,” Leighanne said in a stern voice. “It’s not polite to demand. What do you say?”

“Please!”

Leighanne laughed and nodded. “That’s right.”

Cassandra continued to feed Baylee some cake as she watched Howie come toward the table. He walked up to Leighanne and hugged her.

“Hey, you!” she said as she hugged him. “I haven’t seen you in forever. How are you?”

“I’m doing great,” he said with a smile. “Thanks for inviting me.”

“I’m glad you could come,” she said as she handed him a plate. “Have some cake.”

“Looks good,” he said as he took a bite.

Cassandra looked over at Leighanne who was smiling at her. She looked back at Baylee, hoping Leighanne wouldn’t embarrass her.

“Howie, have you met Cassandra?”

“No, I haven’t,” he said as he put his plate down. “I’m Howie,” he said as he extended his hand to her.

“Cassandra,” she replied.

“Nice to meet you,” Howie said with a smile.

“Likewise,” she softly replied.

She shifted her glance over to Brian and Leighanne who were looking at her with grins on their faces. Cassandra felt her cheeks flush with embarrassment. She barely noticed that Howie had taken a seat beside her as she continued to feed Baylee.

“So, are you from around here?” he asked.

Cassandra quickly turned her head and looked at him. “I’m sorry, what?”

He softly smiled and took another bite of his cake. “I asked if you were from around here.”

“Oh, yeah, I’ve lived here for a while.”

“That’s cool. I live in Orlando, myself.”

“And you came all this way for a birthday party? That’s friendship,” she joked.

Howie chuckled and put his empty plate down on the table. “I needed a few days to chill anyway.”

“I see,” she said as she put Baylee’s plate down on his high chair tray, without thinking.

“So, what do you do?”

“I’m a second grade teacher for one of the local elementary schools here in Atlanta.”

“Nice,” he said with a smile. “You must really love kids.”

“Oh, yeah, they’re great,” she said as she drew her attention back at Baylee who had drug his hands into the cake and smeared it over his face. “Baylee!”

“Yummy!” he said with a grin.

Howie busted up laughing. “Wow, he inhaled that fast.”

“I think he got more of it on him than he did in him,” she said as she looked around for a baby wipe. “Leighanne, do you have any handi wipes?”

Leighanne looked at Baylee and sighed. “Forget the handi wipes. We need a hose.”

Cassandra laughed. “I’m so sorry. That was my fault.”

“No, it’s okay,” Leighanne said as she pulled his out of the high chair. “He probably needs changed anyway. I’ll just take him to the bathroom.

“Sticky!” he said while laughing.

“Yes, son, you are very sticky. Let’s go clean you up,” she said as she walked to the bathroom.

Cassandra glanced at her watch. “Oh, shoot, I better get back home and finish my lesson plans,” she said as she turned to Howie. “It was nice to have met you.”

“You too,” he replied.

Cassandra stood up and walked over to Brian. “I’ve gotta get going,” she said then hugged him.

“Okay, thanks so much for coming,” he replied.

“No, problem. Tell Leighanne I’ll call her tomorrow.”

“Okay, see you soon,” Brian said with a wave.

Cassandra was almost to her car when she saw Howie jogging in her direction. She unlocked the car and looked at him as she opened the door.

“Listen, I know we just met, but would you like to have dinner with me while I’m in town?”

She contemplated her answer. “Well, I’m pretty busy--”

“It’s okay, you don’t have to,” he said softly.

“Well, I suppose I could make time for one dinner.”

“Great,” Howie said as he pulled out his cell phone. “What’s your number? I’ll call you tomorrow some time.”

“My number is (770)-528-8800,” she said with a smile.

“Great, I’ll give you a ring and we’ll plan it.”

“Sounds good,” she said. “Bye.”

“Bye,” Howie said then made his way back to the pavilion.

Cassandra got in her car and turned the ignition. She sat there waiting the air conditioner to cool off and thought about what had happened. Her heart jumped at the thought of going on a date. She’d tried so hard to avoid situations like this one. What was she thinking? Cassandra sighed loudly as she put the car in reverse and pulled out onto the road. She was ready to bury herself in her lesson plans so she could forget any of this ever happened.
Chapter 3 by BSBSavedMyLife
“So, did he call you yet?“ Leighanne asked as they were shopping at the mall.

Cassandra shook her head. “No, not yet.“

“Well, I’m sure he’ll call tonight. He goes back to Florida tomorrow night.“

“Doesn’t really matter to me,“ she said as she picked up a blue tank top. “This is cute.“

“It’s bugging you that he hasn’t called, isn’t it?“

“No, I said it doesn’t matter.“

“Yes, it does. I know how that mind of yours works. You’re thinking that he’s like every other guy, so you’re acting all tough about it.“

Cassandra rolled her eyes. “Look, it’s worked before. It keeps me from getting hurt. Is that a crime?“

“Cass, you’re never going to be happy unless you learn to loosen up a little bit. Pull the stick out of your ass and get over yourself.“

Cassandra stared at Leighanne with wide eyes. It was a statement she never expected to hear from her mouth.

“Leighanne!“

“What, it’s true.“

“What is with you today. You’re all weird.“

Leighanne laughed. “Nothing’s with me. It’s you who’s being weird. Stop trying to change the subject. Admit it, you think he’s cute.“

“Okay, he’s not bad looking, but that’s not saying much.“

“What does that mean?“

“It means I think a lot of guys are cute. It doesn’t mean I stand a chance with any of them.“

Leighanne grabbed Cassandra by the arm and looked her straight in the eyes. “I’m going to say this one time and one time only. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. There’s nothing wrong with you.“

Cassandra jerked her arm away and turned around. “You don’t understand.“

“You’re right, I don’t.“

“Leighanne, you’re a beautiful woman and you have the perfect life.“

Leighanne chuckled and rolled her eyes. “My life is not perfect.“

“Oh, please,“ she scoffed. “You have a Christian husband with an amazing job. You’ve got plenty of money. You have a beautiful son. Need I continue?“

“And you could have those things too if you’d stop being so darn cynical. That doesn‘t make my life perfect. I may be blessed, but it‘s not perfect.“

“Name one way your life isn’t perfect and I’ll shut up.“

Leighanne looked at her and laughed. “Alright, here’s the big one. My husband’s a Backstreet Boy.“

“So, what? Big fucking whoop.“

“He’s away from me more than we’re together sometimes. I spend my time talking to him long distance over the phone and I watch millions of girls throw themselves at him. You call that perfect?“

“You get to go on the road with him sometimes.“

“Yes, but I also spend time at home while he’s away. Look, I may trust him and I may not be jealous of the girls, but it doesn’t mean that my life is perfect. I have needs too you know.“

“But he loves you unconditionally, Leigh. You have everything you could possibly want. So, in my eyes, your life is perfect. I’m just a single woman who’s pushing thirty. Do you know what my mother asked me the other day?”

“What?”

“When are you going bring a nice man home with you?” she said in a voice to mock her mother.

Leighanne laughed. “You do that pretty good.”

“Ugh, why do I bother?” she said as she walked away.

Leighanne caught up with her and linked her arm with hers. “I’m sorry, keep talking.”

“It’s just that I can’t answer that question. I don’t know when I’m going to bring a nice man home. Every time I meet a guy, he turns out to be this big jerk. I might as well start buying cats because that’s where my life is headed.”

Leighanne chuckled and shook her head. “No, you’re not going to be a crazy cat lady. Trust me, you’re going to meet a great guy. Who knows, maybe Howie is your Prince Charming.”

Cassandra rolled her eyes. “I highly doubt that.”

“Oh, stop it,” Leighanne said as she pinched her arm.

“Ow! Damn it, Leigh! Stop picking on me.”

Leighanne grinned and pushed her into the toy store. “Help me find something for Baylee.”

“Fine,” she muttered as she followed Leighanne to the Veggie Tales section.

She was searching through the books when she heard her cell phone go off in her purse. Leighanne looked at her and grinned.

“I bet that’s him,” she said with a snicker.

Cassandra rolled her eyes and pulled the phone out of her purse. She glanced at the screen and sure enough, it was a Florida number. She felt her heart skip a beat before she answered the phone.

“Hello?”

“Hey, it’s Howie,” he said.

“Oh, hi,” she said casually. “What’s up?”

“Well, it’s my last night in Georgia. I thought we could go out to dinner and maybe some dancing tonight.”

“Well, I sort of have a lot of papers to grade.”

She felt Leighanne smack her with a Veggie Tales book.

“Ouch!” she whispered. “Stop!”

“Hello?” said Howie.

“Sorry, um, okay I guess I could go out for a little while. What time?”

“Maybe around seven. Will that work for you?”

“Sounds good,” she said as she pushed Leighanne away, who was trying to listen.

“Shall I come pick you up? I have a rental car.”

“How about I meet you there. Since you’re not from the area and all.”

“Okay, you pick the place.”

“How about Ocean Zen. You like seafood?”

“Love it,” Howie said. “Okay, I guess I’ll see you at seven.”

“Okay, see you then,” she said then hung up.

She glanced over at Leighanne, who was snickering behind the book she was holding. Cassandra glared at her and threw a stuffed animal at her.

“Stop.”

“I’m sorry,” Leighanne said while laughing. “I’m proud of you. Really, I am.”

“This better be worth it.”

“Take my word for it. Howie’s a sweetheart. You will have a good time. Come on, let me pay for this and we’ll have lunch.”

“Alright,” she said then followed Leighanne to the cash register.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8997