All Hail The Heart Breaker by Tantilisinteaser
Summary:

She had always known what she wanted and had worked hard to make her dreams a reality, nothing would come between her and her ambitions....


....even if it meant saying goodbye to him


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Sexual Content, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 61 Completed: No Word count: 253726 Read: 150240 Published: 06/05/08 Updated: 07/06/10

1. When it all comes crashing down by Tantilisinteaser

2. Going to the Chapel... by Tantilisinteaser

3. Daily Grind by Tantilisinteaser

4. Trouble is... by Tantilisinteaser

5. Kisses: Regular or Chocolate? by Tantilisinteaser

6. Absense makes the heart grow fonder by Tantilisinteaser

7. Birthday boy by Tantilisinteaser

8. ...well absence sucks! by Tantilisinteaser

9. A few home truths by Tantilisinteaser

10. Nick Backstreet vs Nick Carter by Tantilisinteaser

11. Who says romance is dead? by Tantilisinteaser

12. Revelations of the heart... by Tantilisinteaser

13. Denial by Tantilisinteaser

14. Promises, Promises, Promises by Tantilisinteaser

15. Birthday Blues by Tantilisinteaser

16. London Calling by Tantilisinteaser

17. Just like a pill by Tantilisinteaser

18. Something that I already know by Tantilisinteaser

19. Just another rainey day in London by Tantilisinteaser

20. When it all comes crashing down (Reprise) by Tantilisinteaser

21. Where did our love go? by Tantilisinteaser

22. It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife! by Tantilisinteaser

23. Falling Down by Tantilisinteaser

24. Sweet Misery by Tantilisinteaser

25. Hush Hush by Tantilisinteaser

26. Daddy's eyes by Tantilisinteaser

27. Sick as my secrets by Tantilisinteaser

28. Easier to Run by Tantilisinteaser

29. If you only knew... by Tantilisinteaser

30. Dear Diary by Tantilisinteaser

31. When it rains by Tantilisinteaser

32. The Truth by Tantilisinteaser

33. Before the worst by Tantilisinteaser

34. All in my head by Tantilisinteaser

35. Up all night by Tantilisinteaser

36. Babysitting by Tantilisinteaser

37. All I Have to Give by Tantilisinteaser

38. In Dreams by Tantilisinteaser

39. I'm Walking Away by Tantilisinteaser

40. Use Somebody by Tantilisinteaser

41. Don't Let Me Get Me by Tantilisinteaser

42. One Step At A Time by Tantilisinteaser

43. All Good Things Come To An End by Tantilisinteaser

44. Long Road To Ruin by Tantilisinteaser

45. Now That She's Gone by Tantilisinteaser

46. The Pieces Don't Fit Here Anymore by Tantilisinteaser

47. Patience by Tantilisinteaser

48. Distractions by Tantilisinteaser

49. Question Exsiting? by Tantilisinteaser

50. Passing By by Tantilisinteaser

51. Back At Your Door by Tantilisinteaser

52. Masquerade by Tantilisinteaser

53. Last Request by Tantilisinteaser

54. Headlights on Dark Roads by Tantilisinteaser

55. All We Can Do Is Keep Breathing by Tantilisinteaser

56. Hold On by Tantilisinteaser

57. Lean on me by Tantilisinteaser

58. Apologies Don't Always Have To Be Accepted by Tantilisinteaser

59. Family Portrait by Tantilisinteaser

60. The Lovers Are Losing by Tantilisinteaser

61. Beautifully Broken by Tantilisinteaser

When it all comes crashing down by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

The beginning of the end...
She looked at the clock, he would be leaving shortly, she had just received the message from her sister they were all at the airport waiting to board. That meant that she would have been gone for at least twenty four hours when he arrived home to find the house empty. She swallowed down the lump in her throat and sat down on the edge of their luxurious queen sized bed, letting herself sink into the comfy mattress she wondered if this was the right thing to do. If it was then why was she having such a difficult time with her conscious?

She found herself second guessing her decision and she actually unzipped the suitcase before her brain overruled her heart. No she had stayed longer than she should have, put up with stuff longer than she should have and if she didn’t leave now she knew she would later on. That would only make it harder she had to leave now and she had to do it while he wasn’t there. She re-zipped the suitcase and pulled it up off the bed, grabbing her overstuffed holdall as she slowly made her way towards the hallway.

Even when she made it to the large oak front door she was still having doubts. Sure things had been brewing for a while, sure they hadn’t really been connecting like they had, sure she had tried to speak to him about it but was that any reason to leave like this? To let him come home to find the house empty, could she be that callous? Could she really do that to him?

Then again she had always been taught never to settle, why take second best when you deserved the best? It was something her mother had told her long ago, she herself had settled, married someone who, although could provide for her, she did not love with all her heart. That marriage had broken down quickly but maybe there had been a reason for it, after all if her mother had stayed in that marriage she would never have been born.

That filled her with a bit more confidence in her decision. Although she loved him dearly she was not happy with her life, with the life that they shared and she did not want to have any regrets. This was all for the best. Yes it was going to hurt like hell but he would get over it, he always had in the past.

And with a heavy heart and even heavier suitcases she pulled the door open and forced herself to go through, hastily walking towards the car.

And even though she wanted to, she didn’t look back. Not once.

***

It had been a long trip home, taken almost three days in fact thanks to all the delays he had incurred. He looked at his watch trying to calculate the actual time he had left Cape Town the first leg of his journey home, some forty hours ago. That leg of the trip had been fine, Cape Town to London no delays, no problems. Heathrow was where they hit their first snag.

The Terrorist alert had been raised, a threat had been placed that had basically shut down the entire airport and no matter how hard they tried there was no way they were going to get home by the time they had planned. Leaving almost seven hours behind schedule had also made him miss his connecting flight from Florida to Nashville and he had ended up crashing at Alex and Rachel’s.

When the car finally rounded the corner and he spotted his house for the first time in almost four months he smiled and small sigh of relief escaping his lips. When the car pulled to a stop he graciously paid the fare and hauled his bags to the front door, he knew that she was unlikely to be home, after all she had told him that she had work so when he walked into the empty house he was unsurprised. He dumped all his luggage in the hallway, knowing that another hour was not going to hurt and slowly made his way to the kitchen, it was then he knew something was just not right.

Three puddles of fluid were dotted around the floor and Layla remained in her basket, usually she would have been all over him but she knew she had done wrong and choose to ignore him. It was unlike her, she had been well trained for years now, very rarely having accidents and when she did it was usually because she had been left for too long. He looked at the clock on the wall it was only nine thirty in the morning so she would have only left for work three hours ago, Layla was used to being left a lot longer than that.

“Hey girl,” He spoke softly as he bent down to pet the pit bull. “What happened huh? She running late this morning and didn’t let you out?” he asked rubbing the dog roughly behind the ears just how she liked it. The dog whined and got up from her basket making her way over to the back door and he followed opening it so he could let her out.

He busied himself with cleaning up after Layla and when he was finished that was when he found her letter. He glanced at it quickly thinking it would just tell him when to expect her home, what he didn’t expect was for it to tear his whole life down in just a few simple words.

***

She didn’t expect it to take long, hell he took longer than she thought he would but eventually she heard what she knew was his car pull to a stop and she took in a deep breath as she felt her heart rate increase. This would be the ultimate test, she had to stand firm, she had to be strong. She would not cave.

“Is she here?” She heard him ask her friend calmly as she listened from the top of the stairs. Michelle must have nodded if his next question was anything to go by. “Can I see her?” He asked.

“I uh…I don’t know Nick,” was her answer.

“It’s okay Chelle,” she said as she made her way down the stairs and towards the front door. “Hey,” she said to him finding it difficult to meet his questioning and hurt gaze.

“What’s going on Adie?” He asked.
“I can’t do this anymore Nick,” she whispered, wanting to cry when she saw him frown in confusion.

“Do what?” He asked but she knew that he understood.

“I’m so sorry,” she whispered pulling the ring from her finger before she handed it to him.
End Notes:
Let me know what you think!
Going to the Chapel... by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

Adie plans a wedding that Nick dreads
She spun around the room, making sure that everyone was where they were supposed to be, wearing what they were supposed to be wearing and then, again for the thousandth time, she glanced at the clock that was hanging just above the door, five minutes and counting. She let out the breathe that she had been holding and held her bouquet up to her face scrupulously inspecting the blood red roses and baby’s breath for any floors, finding none she smiled.

She had been nervous for weeks, this was the first time that she had done something like this and it had to be perfect, because Adrianna Jones was a perfectionist in every sense of the word. Her life had been mapped out from the very beginning, she had always known what she wanted and she wasted no time or energy and getting anything but. When others had been out partying she had been home studying, it had been instilled in her from a young age that without good grades she would not have the life that she wanted and being a perfectionist she only wanted the best she did not want to settle for anything but.

The years of studying had paid off and she had made it into one of the most prestigious nursing universities of the world and had studied at one of the very first children’s hospitals ever founded, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Sick Children. She had studied there for three years, living in London had been hard, she had been so far from her family but the memories and friends she now had were all worth it so much so that she had worked their, after she qualified first in her class, for a further two years. She had returned five years ago when her Father had had his first heart attack and realised that she would not be able to handle the worry of being on another continent if it were to happen again so had made the hard decision to leave the place where she had helped so many children and return to her Home in Nashville to be closer to her family.

That was where she had met him.

A year and a month of planning had gone towards this one day, trips to churches, dress shops, caterers, venues for the reception, it had seemed like every week she was travelling somewhere new to discuss her plans and her visions for this wedding but she knew it would all be worth it in the end. The bridesmaids dresses were stunning, no hair was out of place and the make up flawless, she had stopped by the reception hall early this morning, just to make sure, and had been stunned about how close to her vision it had actually looked, now all that was left was to walk down that aisle.

She spotted the flower girl in the corner, sat what she presumed to be as crossed legged because she couldn’t quite see her small legs under her rouge dress, god that was going to leave some hideous creases she thought as she made her way over to the child, eager to get her up off the floor, to save the dress from more wrinkles.

“Megan?” She asked as she got nearer and the little girl looked up to her with wide eyes, like she had been caught with her hands in the cookie jar. “You okay sweetie?” She asked scooting down as best she could without leaving her own ivory gown in creases.

“I’m scared,” Mumbled the five year old.

“Can I tell you a secret?” Adrianna asked and the small girl nodded, eager to her what was to be said, “I’m scared too,” she admitted.

“You are?” Megan questioned as she tilted her head to the side.

“Yep,” she nodded again. “But it’s okay to be scared there’s lots of people out there, you just need to remember that they are all going to be thinking how beautiful you look.”

“You look really pretty too,” she smiled.

“Thank you, so are you ready? Have you got your basket?” She asked as she stood up from where she had been crouching, holding her hands out to Megan who accepted them and stood.

“Uh huh, it’s over there,” she said pointing towards the basket filled with red rose petals which would eventually line the alter before she would walk down it.

“Okay-” she was about to tell her to get it when she heard her name being called. She turned her head and smiled when she saw her Father.

“You look beautiful,” he said kissing her on the cheek.

“Thanks you don’t brush up that bad either,” she replied as she leaned in for a hug savouring the smell of Wrigley’s gum that was a poor attempt to cover up the stale scent of a cigar he had obviously just finished. The scent would always remind her of him. “I thought you agreed no more smoking,” she scolded when she pulled away from him.

“It’s my daughter’s wedding day.”

“Yes but we would all like you around to see the grandchildren,” she retaliated.

“I will be here to see my Grandbabies.”

“Well make sure you are old man,” she joked.

“Less of the old. You look just like your Mother when you tell me off like that,” he said smiling.

“Is Mom already in there?” She asked.

“Yes, already crying,” he joked, “So has all the planning been worth it?” He asked as they walked towards the doors to the church entrance.

“I think so, we’ll soon see won’t we?” She said through a smile. Every one was now in place and she could hear the familiar chords of “Wherever you will go” start to play as Megan started to walk down the isle leaving the trial of rose petals behind her. She sucked in a breath when she realised it was her turn and turned her head to her Father who gave her a wink before she started moving.

She smiled as she started to make her way down the isle, her knuckles turning white from where she was clutching her roses so tight, one foot in front of the other, don’t walk to fast but don’t be too slow either she silently told herself. She reached the back row of pews, making eye contact with a few people who were perched there, they all smiled brightly at her as she walked passed and once she got her confidence she finally looked down the length of the isle and smiled brightly when she saw him standing with the Pastor and one of his best friends. He smiled back to her and nudged his friend whispering something to him, it had to be a good thing because he nodded and smiled in what seemed to be agreement. He looked back to her, his blue eyes shining as he mouthed “beautiful” to her making her smile even more and before she knew it she had reached her destination and was now stood at the alter with him.

The whole room seemed to move as everyone stood and a different piece of music began to bellow it way out of the organ. She diverted her gaze back to the other end of the isle, smiling brightly when she saw her Father guiding her sister down the isle, she looked so scared but as soon as she focused on him all that seemed to melt away and biggest grin was plastered on her face as she seemed to float towards him. Her rouge gown had been a perfect choice as it set off her dark ringlets and tanned complexion perfectly, she looked like a princess, and for today realised Adrianna, she was. It didn’t take long for her to reach her destination and soon she was smiling at her as she took her bouquet of white roses and watched as she slid her hand into his, smiling brightly.

“Ladies and Gentleman we are gathered her today to witness Alexander James Mclean and Rachel Elisa Jones join together in Holy Matrimony.”

***

He had been dreading today.

He knew it was wrong but weddings, god he just hated them, he avoided them at all costs but unfortunately he was at a stage in his life where people were settling down, getting married and having families and events like these were now quite common. This year alone he had been to two weddings, this being his third, he had also been to a christening and it looked like he would shortly be going to another one once Leigh decided to pop of course.

In his younger days it had been fine, people didn’t feel the need to continually ask him when he was going to settle down, when he was going to become a husband but now that was all different, he was coming up on thirty, sure it was two years away but after today he would officially be the only backstreet boy that was still single. Well actually no not single he had been with Adie for two and a half years now and that’s what made it worse, people kept asking him when he was going to ask her, make an honest women out of her. It wasn’t that he didn’t love, cause god knows he did with every fibre in his being but he couldn’t marry her, he couldn’t ever marry anyone.

He glanced over to her as the Pastor continued and noticed the tears in her eyes as she watched her elder sister marry one of his best friends, hell his brother in many ways and inwardly sighed, today was going to be so difficult for the pair of them. Usually he would try to ditch out on the ceremony itself, it was easier to just go the reception and not think about what was being celebrated, it had worked wonders at Howie’s wedding, his flight had been delayed had been the excuse but he had no such luck with Alex. He was best man, he HAD to be there, no excuses and to be honest he felt like a hypocrite. How could he be there for his friend, support him through this and tell him marriage was the right thing if he had had any doubts when he didn’t believe in it himself? It was a wonder he hadn’t been struck down with lightning as he entered the church grounds.

“Nick?” Alex questioned snapping him from his thoughts. He looked across and realised that all eyes were on him and he felt the blush creeping into his cheeks, god had he been drooling? Had he been verbalising his thoughts and not realised? That would be so bad. “Dude the rings?” Alex prodded when Nick looked at him blankly.

“Oh yeah,” he said quickly retrieving them from the breast pocket of his jacket before he handed them to the Pastor, smiling at Adie when she gave him a questioning look. Yes today was not going to be a good day.

He must have zoned out again because before he knew the church was clapping in applause as the couple who stood before him kissed, he clapped along with the crowd and looked to his own girl who was wiping her eyes, trying to keep her make up from smudging. She smiled as she handed her sister her bouquet and then met him in the middle before she linked her arm through his so they could also make their way back up the isle and out of the stifling confines of the church.

“You look beautiful,” He told her when they were halfway down.

“Thank you,” she smiled back to him, “Your looking quite handsome yourself you know,” she told him.

“What say we ditch the party and head back to the hotel?” He said wiggling his eyebrows at her suggestively, making her giggle.

“Yeah I think your forgetting we are in the wedding party, we’ve still got work to do buster, so I hoped you slept with a coat hanger in your mouth because photos are next,” she said bursting into laughter when he grinned widely at her. “On second thoughts I don’t think Rach would be too impressed with you looking like the joker.”

***

The party was now in full swing, there had been no formal sit down meal to celebrate the nuptials, that had been to well… to formal and Rach and Alex were anything but. It had taken them a long time to come to that decision, hell it had taken them almost a year and a half to set a date after they got engaged and Adrianna had a feeling that if she hadn’t of offered her help then they would be sat in a back yard somewhere with nothing to eat but MacDonald’s. Instead they had opted for a finger buffet, there was no head table and no seating plan which made it easier for everyone to mingle and to watch the happy couple and happy they were. They had been holding hands, kissing, smiling, laughing and just sharing whole conversations with a look.

“I want that,” thought Adi. Sure her and Nick were close, sure she loved him practically adored him but he was not the commitment type, they had both been through this before. He didn’t think that he would ever want to get married, he didn’t want to have the same failed marriage as his parents and refused to acknowledge that not all marriages were like that not all marriages were doomed to divorce, but what did she know? Her parents were in the rare percentage that went against the statistics, they were still happily married and as in love as the day they met over thirty five years ago.

“Hey little sis, care to escort me to the ladies room?” Rachel asked.

“You want me to hold your dress up?” She questioned as she placed her champagne flute on the table as she got up from her seat.

“Yeah,” she laughed, her eyes were so vibrant and happy, they had been that way since she had met Alex. His had been the same, they were truly in love, and almost everyone around them could tell that this was a marriage that was going to last.

“Shouldn’t your husband be doing that?”

“Well we might not make it back out if he does.”

“Nympho.”

“Prude, come on before I pee myself,” she urged as she took of towards the ladies room with Adie following close behind.

It took some doing but after about five minutes of giggling, gathering up the material and guiding Rachel to the seat she managed to relieve herself, laughing hysterically when she let one rip.

“God Rach!” Adie exclaimed once the smell hit her.

“Don’t let the dress fool you, I’m no lady,” she giggled.

“Say that again, I can’t believe I’m stood her doing this,” she grumbled trying to block out the smell with one arm, whilst the other held up her sisters dress.

“Well when the time comes I’ll return the favour.”

“I wouldn’t hold your breathe,” she mumbled under her breath but Rachel heard.

“He still against the idea?” She questioned as she stood.

“We don’t even really talk about it anymore. You know I thought I was okay with it at first, it just a piece of paper and a ring right? It’s material stuff, it doesn’t prove that Alex loves you anymore then Nick loves me right?” She questioned pulling the fabric of the train down, making sure there were no creases.

“Course not. I’m sensing there’s a but though.”

“I want more Rach, I want this,” she said throwing her arms up, “I want a day that’s about us, that celebrates how much we love each other and want to be together, is that wrong?”

“No it’s not wrong. It’s what every girl dreams about, we’ve been having conversations about what our weddings would be like for as long as I can remember, can you remember when we used to put our tutu’s on our heads and pretend they were veils?” She asked as she washed her hands.

“Yeah you used to always make me be a bridesmaid, maybe I should have known then, always the bridesmaid never the bride.”

“Is that why you helped me so much with the planning and the meetings?” She asked finally realising why her sister had basically done as much as the planning as she had, she had practically gone to everything with her when Alex couldn’t and had offered some amazing suggestions.

“Kind of, I mean your not the most organised person in the world.”

“Hey I resent that. I can be organised…sometimes,” Rachel replied indignantly as she dried her hands on the towel.

“I just I wanted to know what it would feel like to organise one, to go to the dress shops and to the caterer, I mean I might not get the chance to plan my own, oh God and now I’m crying,” she said as she felt the first few tears fall from her eyes. “I’m sorry this is your day and now I’m ruining it,” she sniffed as she grabbed a piece of tissue so she could dab at her eyes.

“No your not. It’s a wedding everyone is supposed to be emotional. I think you need to talk to him about this though, maybe if he knew how you felt he might change his mind,” she said rubbing her back a bit.

“Doubtfull,” she scoffed as she studied herself in the mirror. When had she begun to look so old? Sure she was still in her twenties but she was now on the wrong side and maybe that was what had led to all of these thoughts. Most of her girlfriends were either engaged or married and now her sister, it seemed like she was the only one in the world who wasn’t, and who wasn’t likely to either.

“You never know. You okay?” she asked.

“Yeah,” she sighed, “Come on Mrs Mclean, lets get back out there,” she said through a small smile as she pulled at her sister’s hand as they walked out of the bathroom and into the throng of people, Rachel was quickly pulled aside by some distant family member congratulating her on her marriage and Adie was left to wander back to the table.

“There you are, you okay?” Nick asked noticing her blood shot eyes when she reached him.

“I’m fine,” she lied attempting a small smile.

“You’ve been crying,” he stated as he pulled her onto his lap.

“Weddings,” she shrugged and it seemed to be enough for him. “They look really happy don’t they?” She asked him when he spotted Alex twirling her sister around on the dance floor.

“Yeah,” he agreed resting his chin on her shoulder before he leant in to kiss her cheek, “I love you,” he whispered.

“I love you too,” she echoed and love him she did but happy she was not. She smiled brightly when Megan come over to the pair of them and dutifully got off Nick’s lap when he accepted her invitation to dance.

She watched as he told her to stand on his feet before he began to spin her around on the dance floor like a pro, laughing when he picked her up completely so he could move a bit faster. Three songs later he had quite the queue of youngsters all wanting a turn and she smiled to him when he looked over to her with an exasperated look upon his face that screamed “SAVE ME!” She was about to get up off her seat and cut in for the next dance when Kevin sat down next to her.

“Typical of Nick to have his own little following,” he joked and she laughed at him.

“You of all people should know by now that nobody is immune to that Carter charm,” she told him as she took a sip of her wine.

“Least of all you huh?” He replied.

“Oh I know, I fell hook, line and sinker.”

“I think you’re good for him. I don’t think he’s ever been as happy as he is now, I’ve seen a big change in him since he met you,” Kevin told her and she felt a lump form in her throat at his words. Out of all the guys she didn’t know Kevin that well, he had departed from the group not long after she began her relationship with Nick and it meant a lot that he would acknowledge the positive effect that she had obviously had on his best friend.

“I’ve already done enough crying today Kev, don’t make me do anymore,” she said trying to keep her composure as he slung his arm around her, laughing heartily at her words.

“No I mean what I said. I used to worry a lot about Nick, I mean on the outside he puts on this bravado, pretends like nothing really hurts him or bothers him and I’ll admit he has a damn good poker face. He’s been through a lot though, been hurt a hell of a lot by people who should never have hurt him but I know with you around I don’t have to worry as much. Just the way he talks about you, his whole face lights up and that’s something I have never seen him do.”

“Damn it Kev, I’m gona look like shit now,” she sniffed as she wiped back her tears.

“Today darlin you could look anything but, you look lovely,” he complimented as he handed her a napkin off the table.

“Thanks.”

“Why are you making my women cry Richardson?” Nick asked as he managed to break loose from the gaggle of youngsters.

“I was just complementing her on how beautiful she looks.”

“She’s stunning isn’t she?” Nick said proudly taking her hand in his making her roll her eyes. “You want to dance?” He asked and she nodded as he pulled her up.

“Only on the condition that I can dance on your feet like they did though,” she joked and he rolled his eyes at her as he led her out onto the floor.

***

The day was fastly coming to a close, the cake had been cut the bouquet and Garter thrown (caught by Adie and Nick, not that he was surprised) and the happy couple had left about an hour previously. Now there was only a smattering of guests left, a few of Rachel’s work friends, Her parents, Alex’s Mom and Step Father, Kevin and Kristin, a few of Alex’s relatives and a few of Adie’s relations that he didn’t really know.

“Care to dance with an old lady?” Denise asked and Nick smiled warmly at her.

“Your not old Denise but I’ll dance with you anyway,” he said as he stood up and escorted her towards the dance floor.

“Thank you for being there for Alex today,” she said as he moved her around the floor.

“You don’t have to thank me, he’s my brother, I’ll always have his back.”

“I know that and hey maybe one day you’ll be brother in laws,” she said and he felt his stomach knot at just the suggestion, his facial expression obviously changing if her next comment was anything to go by. “Your seriously telling me that you are not going to marry that gorgeous girl over there?” she asked, nodding her head in Adie’s direction.

“I’m not a marriage kind of guy.”

“Nickolas,” she sighed.

“What? Don’t believe in it,” he shrugged.

“Why not?” She asked and it was his turn to sigh, he really did not want to get into this now.

“You have met my family haven’t you Denise? My parents in particular,” he pointed out.

“You can’t base your decision on their marriage and if your going to do that why not look at some better role models like Kevin and Kristin? Or Brian and Leighanne? Jackie and Harold?”

“They had better role models, Hell better morals then mine.”

“Then learn from their mistakes or your going to end up loosing that wonderful girl over there,” she told him quite sternly.

“We’ve discussed it, she knows that I don’t want to get married, she’s fine with it.”

“Your sure about that?” She asked sceptically.

“Yeah.”

“When did you last talk about it?” She asked.

“What does it matter?

“I’m just saying, things may have changed. She’s getting older Nick and so are you it’s the natural progression of things and just seeing her today…” she trailed off.

“What about today?”

“Just the way she’s been looking at Rach and Alex and at you.”

He knew she was right, he could tell by her expressions and mood all day. She had been unusually quiet which for Adie was unheard off, she liked the sound of her own voice. He knew it was because her sister was getting married and he knew she was thinking what it would be like for the pair of them to do it too but he just couldn’t, he couldn’t risk loosing her and he knew that it would happen eventually if they did marry.

“We’re happy how we are,” he stated.

“Okay I was just making an observation. I just want to see you happy Nick,” she said softly smiling at him.

“I am happy,” he smiled back. He was being truthful too, he had never been this happy but what he would soon learn was that his girlfriend was not.
End Notes:
Hey guys please bear with me. There is a bit of set up before we get to the better stuff. Keep the review coming!
Daily Grind by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

Adie thinks about Nick and Her's realtionship whilst struggling with getting back to work
He glanced up from his magazine, cursing under his breath when his seat was roughly pushed forward again, he wanted to kill the stupid airline for fucking up with the reservations, how difficult was it to ensure that they didn’t double book? Now he was stuck in coach, separated from Adie and to top it off he had the joy of the kicky child in the seat behind him. If his chair was shoved forward one more time he was going to turn around and throttle the child before he threw him out the emergency door! Okay maybe that was a bit drastic but his patients were certainly wearing extremely thin.

Just count to ten Nick! He thought to himself. The child eventually got bored but he was unsure how long it would be until the jerky movement started again, he sighed at his own thought and looked across to her. Even though she was situated a row in front of him he could tell that she was unhappy too, she was staring straight ahead of her, basically gazing into the upright tray table, her head resting on her palm, her eyes glazed and he wondered what she was thinking about, well if he thought about it he already knew.

Ever since Saturday, the wedding, she had been distant. Saturday she had been emotional but she had been around him, hugging him , kissing him, laughing with him then Sunday, god it was like she was a different person. She couldn’t have gotten further away from him if she tried. He knew that she had been busy helping Denise with the BarBQ that she had laid on for the remaining guests from the wedding but even when they had been alone in the evening she had resisted his advances, pushed him away saying that she was tired. Maybe she had been though, maybe this was just all in his head because of what Denise had said.

“They were big sighs,” the elderly plump women sat next to him commented.

“Long weekend,” he smiled to her.

“You live in Florida or were you just visiting?” She asked continuing with the small talk that he was not really in the mood for, but he knew better then to be rude, after all karma was a bitch and right now karma was probably sat behind him in the form of the kicky child.

“I used to live there, went back for my best friends wedding,” he told her closing the magazine and placing it in his lap.

“How lovely, I do like a good wedding. Are you married?” she asked glancing down to his hand, noticing no ring.

“No.”

“A Handsome young man like yourself not married?” She questioned, “I bet you have a girlfriend though don’t you?” She asked and he smiled.

“Yeah, she’s just sat over there,” he pointed.

“Well isn’t she a pretty thing. So young man if you’ve got yourself such a pretty girl why all the sighing?” He chuckled at being called young man, at almost thirty he didn’t think he qualified to be called that, but in relation to her age he probably was.

“It’s been a long weekend.”

“People asking about when you two are going to tie the knot?” She asked him.

“You could say that,” he told her.

“Well take it from me, there is no point in rushing into these things just to please everyone else, you do things when you are both good and ready,” she told him and he looked across the Adie again knowing that no matter how hard he tried he would never be ready. And in his heart of hearts he knew that she was.

Two hours later and they had finally made it home. He had been trying to make small talk for the entire journey home in the car but she hadn’t been interested and he couldn’t tell whether it was because she was pissed off at him or because she was tired, all he knew was that something was not right with her. He was starting to wonder whether Denise was right, but there was no way in hell he was going to bring it up. He did not want to risk her telling him that she had changed her mind, he could not go through his reasons why again.

“Are you okay?” He asked as they walked into the stuffy house.

“Fine,” she mumbled as she walked through to the kitchen and pored herself a glass of water.

“You sure?” He asked again as he followed her through dumping the suit case on the floor.

“Yeah I’m sure,” she snapped before sighing, turning round so she could look at him. “Sorry I guess I’m just tired it’s been a busy weekend,” she said as she put her glass down so she could wrap her arms around him.

“You sure that’s all it is?” He asked wrapping his arms around her and pulling her close.

“Yeah,” she whispered breathing him in. “I think I’m gona take a bath and head to bed.”

“Okay I’ll be up in a bit,” he said kissing her head before he let her go. He watched he retreat towards the stairs before he made his way to the fridge to retrieve a beer. He let the cool beverage slide down his throat all the while knowing what Denise had been saying was true.

***

She watched him as he slept, he looked so peaceful, his mouth open slightly, one arm underneath his pillow the other haphazardly resting across her stomach. It was the same every night, he had to be touching her somehow, he wasn’t really the cuddly type in bed then again neither was she, it just got too hot, she liked her own space as she slept but she also liked the feeling of him, even if it was just an arm resting across her, it made her feel safe, she never slept well when they were separated.

The alarm startled her suddenly, even though she knew that it was imminent and she reached over and quickly shut it off before it woke Nick but she needn’t of worried because he didn’t even stir. In the end there hadn’t really been the need for it as she hadn’t slept much, her mind was just overfilled with thoughts, thoughts that were not just going to go away. She pulled back the covers and expertly replaced her body with her pillow knowing that if she didn’t Nick would wake looking for her and then she made her way towards the bathroom, shivering when the cold air hit her naked skin as she stripped off. She quickly hopped under the spray savouring the warmth of the water against her body but it did nothing to aid the pounding in her head. She knew it had been a mistake to not request today off work, she was still exhausted from the weekend but there was nothing she could do about it now. She tried to think of what her day might have in store, of what gruesome sights or sad stories she might hear but eventually she drifted back to the thoughts that had plagued her restless night.

Was she a hypocrite? She had gone into this relationship knowing full well that he did not have a very positive view about marriage, he had been open about that right from the beginning and she knew that he would not change his mind. She had told him that she was okay with that, that she didn’t need to be married to him. So why the change of heart? She knew how much he loved her, so why did she need the silly bit of paper to prove that? Then again it was only a silly bit of paper so what was he so afraid off? It’s not like a relationship was doomed to fail because of some vows, a piece of paper and a ring, the problems either had to be there before that or after, that marriage didn’t cause the break up, surely he could see that?

She rinsed the remainders of the soap suds of her body before shutting off the shower and stepping out so she could wrap herself into the towel and make her way to the sink to brush her teeth and apply a light coating of makeup. Once she resembled what she thought classed as at least half human looking for the time in the morning she combed the knots from her long dark hair and proceeded to put her wet hair into a ponytail ready for work. She walked back into their bedroom, noticing how he hadn’t even moved from when she had left and threw on a pair of track pants and a t-shirt before she went to leave the room.

“Don’t I rate a kiss anymore?” He hoarsely asked making her jump out of her skin in fright.

“Jesus Christ!” She exclaimed the hand that had jumped to her heart feeling it race beneath her chest. He just chuckled at her as he moved so he could rest his head on his hand and wipe the sleep away with the other. “Go back to sleep,” she told him as she made her way to him.

“Time is it?” He yawned.

“Just after six,” she said leaning towards him so she could give him a quick peck.

“No wonder I’m still tired and that so did not rate as a proper kiss,” he said as he pulled her back towards him, sliding his hand under her ponytail so he could hold the back of her neck as he bought her mouth to his so he could kiss her properly.

“Your breath is gross,” she told him when he finally let her go.

“Yours is minty fresh,” he countered making her smile. “Are you on all day?” he asked as he snuggled back into his pillow.

“Yeah I should be home by seven,” she said stroking her hand down his face before she leant in again to peck his cheek.

“Have a good day,” he said as he closed his eyes, “Try not to kill anyone,” he added wincing when she punched him in the arm playfully.

“See you tonight.”

“Love ya,” he called after her as she reached the door.

“Love you too,” she said blowing him a kiss, rolling her eyes and laughing slightly when he lifted his hand to catch it without even opening his eyes. She made her way down the stairs, flicked on the coffee machine and threw together a quick sandwich that she could eat for lunch (if she wasn’t too busy at the point in the day!) Once the smell of the freshly ground beans filled her nostrils she felt a bit more awake and she sighed in pleasure as she took the first sip before applying the lid to her travel mug as she headed out of the door.

It never took very long to get to work at this time in the morning, and for that she was grateful if there was anything she couldn’t stand it was traffic, it had to be her biggest pet peeve, that and drunken revellers who filtered in continually from midnight on the weekend grave yard shift. She pulled into the parking lot and walked the quick five minutes to the ER entrance, shouting out a few heys and hi’s to the tired shift who were due to come home as soon as she was changed.

“Hey girlie how was Florida?” Marissa her colleague and long term friend asked as she made her way into the changing room.

“Good thanks,” she replied as she pulled off her top so she could put on a pair of the unflattering blue scrubs. They were big and baggy and she knew she would spend half the shift pulling the pants up but like always she would just deal.

“You got pictures with you?” Marisa asked as she shut her locker and threw the stethoscope around her neck.

“Yeah, I’ll get them out later. Oh damn it,” she sighed when she rummaged through her bag.

“Forgotten something?”

“Yeah I think I left my brain back in Florida,” she joked, “I changed my bag over and forgotten my stethoscope, pen torch you name it, oh man I and I forgot to put my lunch in,” she sighed as she threw her useless bag into the locker before slamming the door shut in frustration making Marissa laugh at her.

“Sounds like someone is still in vacation mode,” Marissa chuckled as she held the door open so they could walk through it and out to start what was likely to be a busy day.

“Maybe this is a sign that today is going to suck ass,” Adrianna mumbled as she walked through it and sighed when she heard the familiar sounds of a disgruntled patient who was being made to wait. “Yeah today is definately going to be shit,” She thought to herself.

***

He woke up when he heard the familiar sounds of Layla scratching at the door.

“Layla, stop it,” he called without even opening his eyes. He tried snuggling back into his pillow to try and drift back off to sleep but she was relentless and he knew that if he didn’t get up soon she would end up either whining or peeing all over the carpet. So with a groan he pushed the comforter off his body and sat up. He sat on the edge of bed for a moment, yawning and trying to rub the sleep from his eyes before he got up and found the pair of sweats that were lying haphazardly on the floor. He slowly made his way down the stairs and into the kitchen, opening the backdoor so the pooch with the overstretched bladder could relive herself before he headed towards the coffee machine.

He flicked the switch on and let the machine boil as he added a fresh filter full of ground beans and then headed towards the cupboard to retrieve a bowl for the cereal he was going to have. That was when he noticed the sandwich, banana and yoghurt lined up on the counter and shook his head at his forgetful girlfriend. He added the cereal to the bowl, poured his coffee and then the milk and took a seat at the breakfast bar munching on the sweet goodness of lucky charms.

When he was finished he put the bowl and spoon in the dishwasher and headed upstairs for a shower and to change and twenty minutes later he was heading out of the door with her lunch in a bag, plus the stethoscope he found hanging on the back of the chair of her vanity.

He made it to the hospital by ten but it took him nearly twenty minutes to park and he knew from past experience that it could only mean she was having a busy day. His thoughts had been spot on when he entered the chaotic environment in which she worked, once again wondering how she did it. He headed towards the triage desk, carefully avoiding the bleeding person slouched against the wall, and even managing to dodge the person who’s vomit almost directly at him as he grimaced at the smell.

“Fill out this paper work and I’ll be with you in a minute,” Jess told him, not even looking up as she held out the clipboard.

“Glad to see your bedside manner has improved.”

Her head snapped up at his voice and he swore he saw a hint of a blush, “Sorry Nick, it’s been one of those days,” she said pulling the clipboard away from him. “You here for Adie?” She asked buzzing the door and letting him.

“Yeah where is she?” He asked sitting next to her on the desk once he had made it through the security doors. The mere fact that they were there was a constant reminder of what danger she could potentially be in everyday and he wished that she had chosen to work somewhere a little more safer, where she didn’t run the risk of being threatened or hurt but they had already argued about that and she was adamant that the ER was the only place she wanted to be.

“Last time I saw her she was trying to pry a deodorant can out of a guys ass,” she told him as if it were an everyday occurrence.

“She was what?” He asked slightly scandalised.

“You heard me, fill out your information and hand this back,” she told the patient on the other side of the counter.

“She’s a paediatric nurse, she should be working with kids.”

“She’s a paediatric nurse in a busy ER, we currently don’t have any children for her to see so she has to help us out on the dark side,” She joked and he laughed with her. “Marcus you seen Adrie?” She asked the doctor as he walked past.

“Trauma one, nasty car accident,” he said as he walked past.

“Might be a while,” She told him.

“Is it okay if I wait around?” He asked popping some candy in his mouth before she slapped his hand.

“They are for people who work here,” she told him but then smiled warmly, “And yes you can stay.”

He occupied his time by people watching, noticing how frail and ill people looked. “Well duh they wouldn’t be here if they didn’t need help!” He mentally berated himself as he snuck another candy from the pile when Jess he thought Jess wasn’t looking.

“Saw that,” she said without looking up from the notes she was writing but he just smirked and looked towards where the trauma rooms, spotting her immediately when she walked out throwing her blood stained gown into the trash angrily, storming away from the Attending as he called her name. She had had the exact same look of anger and distaste on her face the first time he had met her in this very ER he remembered.

August 2005

“What the fuck is your problem?!” He hissed angrily when he felt Kevin glaring at him again. He saw the older man twitch and knew that he was about to try and make a break for it but Keith managed to stop him.

“Stop antagonizing him,” Brian sternly warned Nick.

“Of course your going to side with him he’s your cousin,” Nick whined rubbing his tender hand.

“Nick stop acting like a spoilt child, it’s your fault we’re in this mess, you had to piss him off didn’t you?” Brian bit back.

“Yeah cause I live to piss him off, he was the one that started this argument in case you forgot.”

“And who put him in the bad mood to begin with? You’ve known him for how many years? You know that when he is pissed off and says enough is enough you leave him to chill out, you don’t keep annoying him. You Nick would be one of the kids at the zoo who would poke a sleeping alligator until it woke up and ate you whole,” Brian said in utter seriousness shaking his head at Nick.

The image was just too much, Nick absolutely loved it when he came out with classic stuff like this and he found himself cracking up at the image of an alligator chowing down on him.

“You think this is funny punk ass?!” Kevin called from across the hospital waiting room, Keith having to hold on to his friends arm to keep him from coming at Nick, “You’ve fucking broken my nose,” He yelled again.

“I’d do it again too,” Nick yelled back frustrated. More insults were hurled back and forth making the environment tense and uncomfortable for the other waiting patients and that was when she had stepped in.

“EXCUSE ME THIS IS A HOSPITAL WAITING ROOM,” She yelled above their shouts grabbing their attention quickly. God she was so pissed Nick noticed. Her face looked stern as she frowned at the pair of them, her eyes narrowed on in him and her piercing gaze was just too much and he had to look away. He noticed her hands fall from her hips as she looked at the clipboard and called out Kevin’s name, ushering him inside the doors of the main emergency unit so he could have someone look at his nose.

Ten minutes later she arrived back and called out his name coming over to him when he raised his good hand. “Can I trust the pair of you back there together?” She asked him in a tone he expected she would use on a child who was not going to cooperate.

“Yes,” He meekly answered as he followed her back through the double doors, Brian hot on his heels.

“Okay Mr Carter take a seat up there for me,” she said pointing to the gurney as she pulled the curtain around for a bit of privacy. “I’m gona take a wild stab in the dark here and say that this sore hand is the cause of Mr Richardson’s sore nose,” she said and he blushed, god why was he blushing? Okay she was hot and he had made himself look like a bit of a dick in the waiting room in the slanging match that he had gotten into so maybe that way why. He could only imagine what her first impression of him was, and anything that Kevin had probably told her would not have painted him in a nice picture.

“Yeah,” he mumbled wincing slightly when she took his cold hand in her warm ones.

“It’s very bruised already isn’t it?” She asked and he nodded, “Where is it tender?” She asked as she felt her way around the bones making him hiss in pain when she pressed on a sore point. “Sorry,” she apologised taking his hand and placing it on his opposite shoulder. “Just hold it up there for me,” she instructed as she placed his whole arm in a sling. “I think your going to need an x-ray, you probably have what’s none as a boxer’s break,” she informed as she filled out something on his chart.

“How long will that take?” He asked.

“You probably going to be here for a couple of hours, we’re a bit backed up sorry,” she apologised as she got up again.

“No problem,” he said. A Few hours here? He could definitely show her the good side to Nick Carter in that time he smirked watching her ass as she walked away from him.

“Jesus help me,” Brian grumbled.

“What?” Nick questioned.

“You were not just checking her out?” he asked.

“She’s hot,” he shrugged.

***

Usually sitting on a gurney in an emergency department would not have been his idea of fun but she had easily captured and held his attention. She was dark haired which was surprising as he usually went for blondes, her hair was up in a messy bun, her pen stuck through the centre of it, he found it quite amusing how she would search her pockets for it and then after a few minutes realise where it was. Her figure was hidden by a pair of dark blue scrubs which she was continually pulling up, and her ID badge was tagged to the pocket of her top, he still hadn’t quite caught her name but on more then one occasion he had heard “Drie” mentioned. It sounded quite exotic, then again it matched her exotic look, maybe she was half Hispanic or Mexican or something he thought as he watched her work.

He had just come back from having x-rays taken and she was currently sat looking at a monitor, intently studying it occasionally moving closer towards it and slanting her head to the left. She sighed and blew her hair from out of her face as she began to twist from side to side on the computer chair and glanced up to quickly for him to avert his gaze. She smiled over to him and stood from the chair then walked in his direction.

“From what I can see you have a small fracture, so you’re going to need a cast for a few weeks,” she said as she went about gathering the required tools she would need. “From looking at your x-ray it looks like you have some old healed fractures in your hand,” she added as she washed her hands and sat across from him, motioning for him to place his, now confirmed fractured hand, on the small trolley between them.

“I’ve been in my fair share of fights,” he admitted.

“Ever thought about anger management? Or counting to ten?” She asked as she firstly wrapped his hand in cotton wool.

“I tend to think after,” he said and she laughed slightly.

“I know that feeling,” she replied and he raised his eyebrows to her, “What? You don’t think a girl can fight? I have an elder sister and trust me we used to fight.”

“I just didn’t expect a doctor to get into fights, thought you would be too busy with your head stuck in a book.”

“Well actually I’m not a doctor,” she told him as she laughed at the look of confusion on his face, “Don’t worry I not an escaped psych patient I am qualified to do this,” she said as she added the wet bandage to his hand.

“So if your not a doctor then what do you do?” He asked curiously.

“I’m an emergency nurse practitioner. I can basically see and treat people with minor ailments like yours and when I’m not doing that I work in the peads area,” she told him as she was finishing up. “Okay so you need to keep the cast clean and dry, keep wiggling your fingers, if they start feeling numb or tingling or the cast cracks then come back and we can take another look,” she told him as she discarded her gloves in the bin and washed her hands again. “Any questions?” She asked.

“What’s your name?” He asked.

“Why do you need to know my name?” She asked as she jotted a few things down on his chart.

“Well I need to know who to address my thank you card to,” he added coolly.

“I was just doing my job, you don’t have to send me a thank you card,” she said looking up to him.

“Well if you won’t tell me your name then I will just have to address it to the nurse with the beautiful eyes the wont I?” He said as he stood up.

“Okay that was the worst line I have ever heard in my life, if you want to ask me out just ask me but I should let you know that I don’t mix work and pleasure,” she said handing him his after care instructions.

“I’m sure I can make you change your mind,” he said.

“Pharmacy is just down that way if you want to get your pain meds,” she said ignoring his last comment.


***

“EARTH TO NICK!” She almost yelled to him clicking her fingers in front of his face bringing him back from his memory.

“Huh?” He asked confused.

“You feeling okay?” She asked as she put her hand to his forehead. “You fall and hit your head or something?”

“I’m fine,” he said removing her hand but he kept it clasped in his. “You forgot your lunch and I figured you need this,” he said holding up her stethoscope and she smiled brightly at him.

“Thanks sweetie,” she said leaning in to give him a quick kiss.

“You okay? You looked kinda pissed earlier,” He said when they broke apart.

“I think you jinxed me with your comment this morning,” she said.

“Bad day huh?” He asked and she nodded, looking even more stressed then before. “Can you escape for lunch now?”

“Not really, we’re swamped. I’m probably just going to eat as I go,” she said through a sigh.

“Well I’m not going until I see you take at least a mouthful,” he said as he opened the foil her sandwich was wrapped in ignoring her when she rolled her eyes at him. She took the sandwich from him and took a quickly mouthful before thrusting the sandwich down on the counter when the EMT’s burst through the door.

“Got a drowning, pulse less and apnoeic on arrival at scene-” one guy reeled off and she was by the gurney is a heartbeat looking back at him apologetically.

“I’ll see you tonight baby,” she said as she took off down the hall.

“See ya,” he said waving as she rounded the corner and out of his sight.

“Hey Jess?” Nick asked.

“What’s up Nick?” She asked looking towards him.

“What’s the one thing you crave after a long shift where nothing seems to go right?” He asked and she smirked at him before motioning for him to sit down.
End Notes:
Yippie I just figured out HTML!! I know I know you're all thinking jeez it aint that difficult but look at my pretty italic writing!!! HEHE! LOL I'm such a loser sometimes! Let me know what you think.

I know it's a bit slow at the moment but bear with me there is lots more juicey stuff to come I promise!
Trouble is... by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

Nick and Adie argue about her work environment
She sighed as she pulled herself out of the car and rubbed the aching, tense muscle in the back of her neck as she slowly made her towards the door, nothing had gone right today. As soon as she had hit the floor this morning people had been streaming through the doors, some with minor ailments that really could have been dealt with by their primary physician, some bleeding profusely, some calling out in pain. Usually she would come home feeling good about herself, about her job, even if she had been able to help only one person but today was different. She hadn’t been able to save that child, no matter how much she had tried, no matter how she had prayed and no matter how angry she had been at the attending for making her stop. The outcome had not been different, she had still had to comfort the grieving Mother.

She sighed again when she reached the door and went to place the key in the lock but couldn’t. She took the folded piece of paper that was stuck over where she wanted to place her key and eyed it curiously before unfolding it.

It simply stated “KITCHEN.” She unlocked the door and called out a hello but unsurprisingly got no reply so she did as the note had told her and headed to the kitchen. Once there she found the red wine, a glass already poured and the rest of the bottle set out alongside another note.

“Take the glass and the rest of the bottle to the bathroom, and straight to the bathroom only.” She took a sip and savoured the taste before she swallowed a smile playing on her lips as she left her bag on the counter and picked up the bottle and followed her “instructions.” She opened the door to the candle lit bathroom and inhaled the relaxing smell of the lavender and vanilla scents becoming slightly disappointed when she looked to the filled but also empty tub, she had been hoping that he was going to be in there. She placed the glass and bottle of wine down on the side of the bath and proceeded to shed her clothes, leaving them in a messy pile on the floor before she submerged herself in the warm water and bubbles, her bad day already seeming to ebb away. She relaxed back into the water and sighed in ecstasy, revealing in the feel of the warm water around her body.

She wasn’t sure how long she was in the tub for but she must have dosed off because the water felt cooler and she could hear him singing to her lightly before she felt his hand stroke her face tenderly. She opened her eyes and smiled up at him as he softly carried on singing along to the music that was drifting in from the open door.

Its quarter to three,
Theres no one in the place cept you and me
So set em up joe
I got a little story I think you oughtta know

Were drinking my friend
To the end of a brief episode
So make it one for my baby
And one more for the road


She loved this song, this whole type of music, it was just so relaxing and romantic and what was even better was that he was there singing the words to her, almost making her feel they were lyrics he had written about her and her only and suddenly she was back to the moment when she knew that she was in trouble, that there was no way she was going to be able to resist him.

AUGUST 2005

“They sure seem to have hit it off,” Nick said handing her a drink as she sat backstage, as she watched her sister and Alex flirt like there was no tomorrow.
“I am so gona beat down on her ass later, she complained so much about her street cred coming to this concert,” she blurted out without thinking, “Oh god I didn’t…it’s not really her type of music then again I’m guessing that you knew that from all her tattoos, maybe that’s what they’ve hit it off I mean he has a lot of tattoos doesn’t he? Why am I asking you that? You know that, you see him everyday and now I’m rambling, I’m just gona drink my drink and shut up,” she said as she stuck the straw in her mouth and started to suck hoping that the alcohol would soothe her nerves. Why she was nervous she had no idea.

Maybe this had been a mistake. As soon as he had arrived in the ER she had known who he was, hell she had been in England when they exploded over there and explode they did. Nineties music in Britain had been all about the battle of the boy bands, being in London she had seen her fair share of boy bands in concert with her girlfriends during that time but some how had managed to miss them. He was definitely a charmer, but then again she wasn’t surprised he had probably had his fair share of women, he had been with Paris after all hadn’t he? God maybe she should have asked for a blood sample to see what STD’s he was harbouring when he had come in the other day.
“Shit now I’m looking at his crotch,” she thought to herself.

She quickly averted her gaze but he had to have seen her, she totally zoned out in totally the wrong area.
“Shit, Shit, Shit” she chanted in her head. This was such a mistake, Rachel had even said so. Ever since the flowers and tickets had arrived at the ER yesterday she had been in two minds about coming but who was she to give up free stuff? Then again this wasn’t really her type of music either. Bubble gum pop had all but died a death and she had to admit she was more of a 5ive girl herself being that she had been in England during the whole boy band phenomenon. She knew she was here because of the attractive blonde in front of her, who was now laughing at her. Great.

“Are you laughing at me?” She meekly asked and his smile widened.

“I might be. You can relax you know I don’t bite…hard,” she stiffened at his joke and blushed. “Adie, I can call you Adie right?” he asked and waited for her nod before he continued. “I think your really refreshing, it’s been a while since I’ve met someone like you.”

“I’ve barely said two sensible words all night, this is so not the real me,” she said.

“Then show me the real you,” he shrugged and she bit her lip as she looked around. “You want to blow this joint?” He asked obviously sensing her uneasiness about her current surroundings.

“Do you mind? It just all seems a bit surreal to be sat backstage with five backstreet boys,” she said biting her lip.

“Sure you know some place where we can go? I don’t really know Nashville very well,” he said as he got up and held his hand out to her which she accepted.

“There’s a bar not to far away,” she offered looking back to her sister who was still laughing at something Alex had obviously said.

“Are you going to say goodbye?” he asked her.

“She’s a big girl,” she shrugged not even managing to catch her sisters eye as she followed Nick out of the room.

***

She couldn’t believe she was doing this, this was not her. She just didn’t invite random strangers into her house and start making out with them on her couch, for all she knew he could be some serial killer.
“Yeah right Adie,” she stupidly thought to herself. He’s a backstreet boy how the hell would he get away with that? Then maybe it was the perfect cover up, who would suspect sweet, angelic, blonde haired Nick here of hurting a fly, if it was going to be anyone it would be A.J. SHIT her sister was with A.J.

“You okay?” he whispered huskily as he pulled back from their kiss.

“Fine why wouldn’t I be?” She replied quickly as the room began to spin that was never a good sign, she knew she would be bowing to the porcelain god soon.

“You seem a little tense,” he said as he leant back against the couch, resting his hand on her thighs and she had to hold on to his shoulders to keep from falling of his lap when he moved.

“I…” she swallowed harshly. “I..” she started again, “Oh god,” she groaned as she all but fell off his lap in her haste to make it to the bathroom.

She made it just in time, puking up the drinks and shots she had knocked back in a vain attempt to calm her nerves and let her hair down a bit. It was ironic really, the drinks had worked wonders at the beginning of the night, she had managed to let loose and have fun with him. They had talked for hours in the bar, getting to know one another, laughing at each others anecdotes, flirting back and forth. Finally at quarter to three they had been asked to leave by the more then patient bar staff and he had insisted on seeing her home safe. It was on that walk home she had become more daring, reaching out to interlock hands with him, she had instigated the first kiss when they had reached her apartment building, she had been the one to invite him up, she had been the one to sit in his lap and now she had to suffer the embarrassment of her “courage” making a reappearance in her toilet bowl.

She could hear his approaching footsteps but knew that if she turned to close to bathroom door so would hurl all over the floor and she knew that was worse then him seeing her in this state.

***

When your head hurts before you even open your eyes you know that you had a great night but you also know that you are going to pay for that great night you can only remember snippets of for the rest of the day. She took a deep breath in and opened her eyes, lazily looking around the room trying to piece together the night before. Okay yesterday what had she done yesterday? The drinking had started at Rachel’s, she vividly remembered her elder sister saying that if her ears were going to bleed she needed something to numb the pain before hand. Okay there the start of the night that was good. So why were her ears going to bleed again? Concert.

That one word made the whole night come screaming back, well parts anyway and she quickly sat up in bed wishing she hadn’t moved so quick when her head hammered in pain and the contents of her stomach churned uneasily. She looked down at herself, still fully clothed apart from her shoes, she looked across to the other side of the bed and found it empty, it had definitely not been slept in. Then the smell of stale vomit hit her nostrils.

She lay back against the pillows. Nick would be long gone. There was no way Mr Pop star was going to hang around after that, hell he probably had only been hoping for a quick one night stand anyway. She would just lie here for the rest of the day and sleep off this hangover, maybe even get some food in her stomach later. She needed to get out of these clothes though, the stale smell of last nights escapades were doing nothing to ease the nausea she was currently feeling.

She hauled herself up and off the bed and stripped down to her bra and panties when she heard her front door open and close.

“Rach? Please say you have…oh” she said turning totally beetroot red as she walked into the living room in nothing but her underwear. She quickly grabbed the throw that was on the back of the couch to try and cover herself but he had already seen.

“Hi, I’m not Rach but I do have coffee,” he said holding up the take out star bucks cups.

“I uh…I’ll be right back,” she said as she walked backwards into her room. Once she was in the privacy of her room she covered her face with her hands all the while mouthing
"fuck, fuck, fuck! She quickly threw on a pair of sweats and a tank top, pulled her hair into a ponytail and scrubbed the smeared make up from her face with a wipe. Then after taking a few deep breathes she finally made herself walk back out and face him.

“Hi,” she said shyly.

“Hi,” he smiled back warmly. “I didn’t know whether you were a latte or cappuccino girl so I just got a black Americano, figured if you liked it white you could always add the milk here,” he said as he handed it to her.

“Thanks, I don’t mean to be rude but uh…” she trailed of.

“What am I still doing here?” He finished for her as he took a seat at her table.

“Well…yeah. I didn’t expect you to hang around after my impromptu barfing incident last night,” she said feeling the blush creep into her cheeks.

“Thought it was probably a good idea to stick around in case you chocked on it,” he smiled smugly as he took a sip of his own coffee.

“Oh god,” she groaned as she covered her face with her spare hand as he laughed. “I don’t usually, I mean I’m not…I don’t drink that often,” she explained.

“Yeah that was pretty obvious.”

“I’m so sorry,” she apologised as she sat down across from him.

“Don’t be. So what are you doing tonight?” He asked.

“You mean apart from sitting in a state of hangover induced pity where I remind myself that alcohol is the devil?”

“Yeah apart from that,” he said to her.

“Nothing,” she said as she took a sip of her coffee.

“Fancy grabbing something to eat? Not right now,” he added quickly when he saw her face.

“Seriously?” She questioned quite perplexed at his proposal.

“Yeah. I had fun last night, well up until the barfing episode,” he said when she raised her eyebrows up at him. “But I still don’t think I know the real you. You’ve intrigued me Adrianna.”

“Trust me I’m the least intriguing person in the world, you wouldn’t want to waste your time.”

“You owe me,” he cockily told her.

“How?” She asked indigently.

“I had to spend the night on your incredibly small and uncomfortable couch when I had a nice soft queen sized bed waiting for me back at my hotel.”

“Well I suppose as I deprived you of your beauty sleep I better humour you huh. Just one condition,” she said.

“Shoot.”

“No alcohol.”

***


He held the towel up for her and she stood and let him wrap it around her before he wrapped his own arms around her in a hug.

“Hey you,” she said as she snuggled into his shoulder.

“Hey. Did your day get better?” He asked placing a small kiss to her head.

“Work didn’t but coming home to this has, thank you,” she smiled up at him.

“Your welcome,” he whispered as he let her go and walked out into the their room. “Throw that on, it’s a bit chilly out there,” he said motioning to her sweats and jumper that he had obviously placed on the bed for her before he walked out onto the balcony.

She quickly dried and changed, and followed him smiling widely again when she realised that he had all of her favourite comfort foods laid out on the blanket, more candles spread about the balcony.

“Okay you’ve either done something wrong or your looking to get some nooky so which is it?” She joked as she sat next to him, laughing at his scandalised face.

“See that’s what I get when I try to do something nice for you,” he mock frowned acting hurt at her words.

“I was joking baby,” she said as she plonked herself down against him and picked at the cheetos, savouring their cheesy taste.

How could she ever doubt his love for her? Maybe he didn’t want to get married, but that did not mean he was not committed to her, that he wouldn’t do anything for her. Sure sometimes he could be messy, a bit of a slob, sure there were occasions where he was insensitive, damn right annoying but nobody was perfect, she was far from it. She looked over to him, his profile shimmering in the candle light, he hadn’t shaved since the weekend and his chin was covered in dark rough stubble, wisps of his blonde hair were peeking out from his skull cap and he had orange powder around his lips from the cheesy Doritos he was munching on. He looked nothing like the picture perfect pop god that had been put on a pedestal by millions but she didn’t care, the person in the pictures wasn’t the real him anyway. She had the real him.

“What?” He asked when he noticed she was staring.

“Nothing,” she shrugged.

“You were staring,” he pointed out through a mouthful of chips making her scrunch her nose up at him. “Bluergh,” he went sticking his tongue out so she could see all of the partially eaten crisps.

“Your disgusting,” she groaned pushing at his shoulder and he fell back against the blanket that he had laid out making sure to grab onto her so she would land on top of him. “I knew you had ulterior motives,” she told him before she leant down to kiss him, tasting the cheese that was still on his lips. His hands travelled down her back coming to rest on her butt as he pushed her down into his hips groaning against the friction it caused.

Their kiss intensified and she let her hands trail down his side before they edged their way into the front of his sweats, she smirked when she came into contact with his hard dick, he was so predictable, no underwear. He groaned as she stroked up and his own hands travelled back up and under her top but he stopped abruptly when she winced and hissed in pain.

“What I do?” he asked quickly as he broke away from their kiss and she sat up, holding her side.

“Nothing, I just got smacked at work, my sides a bit tender is all,” she said leaning back down to him but he wouldn’t let her kiss him.

“Who hit you?” He asked sitting up his hands going to her side again to lift up her jumper slightly to get a look astonished at how he had missed the deep angry purple mark on her side when she had been in bath.

“Just a patient,” she shrugged leaning in to kiss him again but again he resisted wanting to know more details.

“Did you press charges?” he asked.

“What? Nick it’s nothing. He was a psych patient we were putting him in restraints and I just wasn’t strong enough he just moved his arm to stop me putting it in the restraints. He wasn’t intentionally setting out to hurt me,” she shrugged.

“That’s not the point. I cant believe your so complacent about this, have you not seen the mark he’s left?” He asked his tone angry and although she knew he was only angry at the patient and not at her his over reaction still pissed her off.

“Can we just drop it? I’m fine okay.”

“Yeah but how long is it until you end up getting really hurt? I don’t see why you can’t work somewhere safer,” he said and she rolled her eyes knowing where this was heading yet again.

“Here we go again,” she muttered as she climbed off him.

“What?” He almost hissed getting up quickly.

“It’s the same every time Nick. I just wish you could understand that this is part of the job,” She said.

“Part of the job? So getting beaten up is in your job description?” He asked sarcastically.

“Don’t start alright.”

“Don’t start? Do you not care that I’m worried about you?” He said moving towards her but she just backed away.

“Yeah but you don’t have to be, I’m fine. You don’t see me getting this het up when your surrounded by thousands of screaming girls and you only have Josh with you,” she retaliated making him sigh.

“That’s different.”

“How? How is it fucking different?” She yelled getting frustrated again.

“It just is, I’m not dealing with psycho’s who could do anything to me given half the chance. You’re a paediatric nurse but today you were pulling something out of some perverted guys ass!” He yelled back at her quickly standing from where he was sitting.

“So that’s what this is about.”

“No it’s not I just…I don’t see why you can’t work upstairs where it’s safer,” he said trying to keep his cool.

“Because I love the environment where I work,” she tried to point out.

“An environment where people puke at you, piss on you, verbally degrade you, hit you?” He questioned.

“Look I don’t expect you to understand. We’ve been through this you’re not going to change my mind so I wish you would just stop trying,” she told him angrily as she stormed into their bedroom.

He leant against the railings of the balcony and tried to calm himself down, there was no point in following her in straight away, the argument would only continue if he did that like it had done so many times before. They were both hot headed, both stubborn and neither would ever cave on a subject like this.

It wasn’t that he hated what she did. He admired her for the work she choose to do because there was no way in hell he would ever be able to do, first off he didn’t have the stomach for it and secondly there was no way he would be able to put up with all the shit that got thrown at her, fugitively and, quite grossly, literally. You definitely had to be a special sort of person to work in the ER or in any hospital environment and she was a fantastic nurse. He just didn’t like the environment she was in every day, the fact that there were metal detectors before patients could get treatment was just diabolical, it seemed stupid that people would want to hurt the doctors and nurses who were trying to help them but they did.

This hadn’t been the first time she had returned from work with marks on her. He had given up counting now, but he still argued with her about it, god the first time it had been a huge fight he had been livid but the more he remembered the more he realised he was more angry at her deceit then anything. He had assumed that it had been a child, a scared child who had lashed out when she had been trying to draw blood, that seemed more acceptable for some reason. Bruising from a child was better then bruising from an adult who had intentionally set out to hurt her, but she had lied and he found had found out a few days later from one of her colleagues. The MAN in question was a convicted felon, had raped three women and she had been in the room with him by herself, sure the cops were only stationed outside but he had still managed to grab her, managed to leave bruising.

The thought of what could have possibly happened to her, of what that bastard could have done to her….it sent chills up his spin. He sighed trying to rid his head of the horrible thoughts as he blew out the candles that littered the entire balcony before he made his slowly into the bedroom.

She was laying on the bed, on her left side facing away from him, the duvet covering most of her body, in fact the only thing he could see was her hair sticking out at the top. He undressed quickly but when he pulled back his side of the duvet she startled him.

“I hope you don’t think your sleeping in here.”

“Don’t be like this,” he said as he sat down. She moved quickly and grabbed his pillow throwing it across the room before she settled back into her resting position. “That’s mature,” he sighed as he went to retrieve it before coming back to the bed and as soon as he got himself settled she moved up and off the bed and walked out of the room.

He knew she wouldn’t be back, that she would spend the rest of the night in the guest room and he wanted to follow her, to try and work this out. He however had learnt long ago that until she was ready there was no point pushing her, it would only make her more stubborn and would draw out the fight. It was an aspect of her personality that he disliked immensely but he knew he was never going to be able to change it and so he fell back against the comfy pillow and let sleep overcome him.
End Notes:
Thanks for your reviews. Let me know what you think so far.
Kisses: Regular or Chocolate? by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

Adie thinks about their argument which leads to other hard and hurtful memories
She blew the persistent loose hairs that kept falling in front of her eyes away and looked at the clock again sighing when not even five minutes had passed. It was slow today only a handful of patients in the whole department, no one even wanting to see the triage nurse. She knew that she should have felt grateful, that after yesterday this should have been a welcomed respite from the craziness but it was going to make her shift drag like hell, it also left her more then enough time to dwell on the argument that had occurred.

She sighed when her thoughts drifted back to it and suddenly felt very tired. She hadn’t slept well at all, she never did after they argued, she would replay it over and over, analysing it until she got even more angry. She knew she had lost her temper with him quickly, she had a very short fuse, a fuse which lately seemed to be getting shorter where he was concerned. Then again he had over reacted, it was just a bruise and they had been through it all before, she was adamant that she was not going to back down and leave the department, after all she knew damn well that he wouldn’t leave his job over something like that if she asked him.

She had half expected him to follow her when she left their bedroom the night before. To carry on the argument like he would usually do, to try and justify his reasoning he hadn’t though and it had shocked her slightly. Even though the argument probably would have continued for a bit longer, after a while one of them would have conceded just to please the other, she hated going to bed when they were still fighting. She hated dragging an argument into another day but storming out only to go back was not what she had wanted to do, it would have made him think that he was right, that he had won. Oh God it wasn’t even about winning she mentally berated herself.

Okay now she needed something to occupy her mind with, she needed to stop thinking about this because it was just making her angry again. She got up quickly and walked towards one of the three unoccupied trauma rooms, when it was quiet like this it was the perfect opportunity to check the equipment, to clean and to restock, there was nothing worse then realising something wasn’t where it was supposed to be in an emergency.

She was cleaning the third trauma room when Chelle caught up with her. She had fully restocked the room and was now washing down the gurney with hot soapy water, viciously scrubbing at some dried blood that she just could not seem to shift.

“Okay your either extremely bored or your trying to keep your mind off something,” she said as she wheeled in the echo machine and hooked it up. “Since there is a huge bouquet of flowers with your name on them at the desk I’m guessing it’s the later.”

“There’s flowers?” She asked stopping what she was doing as she looked at her friend.

“Yep they’re huge, Harry is pissed because they are blocking most of the desk. There’s chocolate kisses too, well there were chocolate kisses I wouldn’t expect them to be there when you get back,” she chuckled. “So what’s going on?

“Nothing much, some stupid argument,” she shrugged as she carried on with her cleaning.

“Want to talk about it?” She asked as she grabbed some dry paper towels so she could wipe the moisture off the gurney.

“Do you ever feel that your just going round in circles?” She asked.

“With work? Hell yeah who doesn’t especially in this pla-”

“I meant in life,” Adie said cutting her off.

“What do you mean?” She asked curiously.

“Nothing it doesn’t matter,” she quickly said regretting that she had mentioned it.

“No tell me. Are things bad between you and Nick? Did something happen?” She asked.

“No there not bad. I just…” she sighed not really knowing how to describe how she felt.

“Stuck in a rut?” She asked as she leant against the cabinets on the opposite side of the room.

“Yeah. I just want…more I guess. I mean I know I have a lot and I have an amazing life with him, he treats me so well almost too well but I still want more that sounds really selfish doesn’t it?” She said as she picked up the remaining paper towels and disposed of them in the trash can.

“Depends on what you mean by more, I mean materialistically then yeah I would say you were being spoiled I mean who needs another Gucci purse and wallet?” She joked making Adie stick her tongue out at her best friend.

“I didn’t ask him to get me that. It’s not the materialistic stuff either it’s…I don’t know…” she trailed off as she began to wash her hands, avoiding eye contact with Chelle.

“Yeah you do,” she replied raising a challenging eyebrow to her friend.

“I always thought that by twenty seven I’d be married, and have at least one child and I think what with Rach getting married I realised that we’re not even close to that, not even a little bit. I was kind of hoping that maybe with the romantic atmosphere and all that I might have come home with a ring on my finger,” she sighed, holding up her left hand to emphasize her bare ring finger.

“Does he know you feel like this?”

“I’m assuming no,” she replied before reaching for a paper towel so she could dry her hands.

“He’s not a mind reader Hon. Have you guys ever even talked about marriage?” She questioned.

November 2006.

“Don’t pack do it in the morning,” he whined as he pulled out all the clothes she had just out in her brown leather holdall and threw them across the room.

“Nickolas!” she yelled jokingly smiling brightly when he began to pout. She walked across the room and began to pick up the now wrinkled items of clothing he had discarded, but two minutes later she found herself doing them same thing when he managed to toss them again. “I don’t think you understand the concept of packing.”

“Stay a bit longer?” He asked grabbing her wrists before he pulled her down into his lap.

“As much as I want to I have this obligation called work, its kind of a big deal, you know they actually give me money and then that means I can afford to survive,” she laughed as she ran her hands through his hair.

“I’ll pay you to keep doing that,” he sighed in satisfaction as she massaged his scalp, closing his eyes as she intensified the pressure and as he titled his head back a bit. She smiled devilishly, she just could resist his neck was bare and within her grasp and she quickly bought on of her hands down and tickled at it. He snapped his head back down quickly and squirmed trying to get away from the sensation. “You're evil,” he moaned at her as he managed to bat her hand away.

“It was your mistake to tell me you were ticklish there,” she pointed out. “Now are you going to be a good boy and let me pack?” She asked him and he shook his head no. “Well you do realise what with you throwing everything out it is going to take me twice as long which then means it’s gona be time for us to go to bed to sleep.”

He seemed to get the hint and ended up picking up what was left of her stuff and dumped it in the holdall in one big messy pile. She shrieked as he almost threw himself at her, kissing her neck making her laugh at his sudden antics. She sighed into the kiss but out of the corner of her eye she could still see the damn holdall and all the contents messily spilling out of it.

“Don’t look at it,” he whispered as his hands began to trail down her side, softly stroking her skin through the fabric of her t-shirt.

“Just let me pack it, it will take two minutes,” she said pushing at him and he relented.

“You're worse then Kevin do you know that?” He said exasperated as he watched her quickly fold her clothes and place them back in neatly.

“Just because you like the creased look when you go out doesn’t mean I do. Ohh whose calling me?” She asked excitedly when she heard the familiar tones of her phone. He groaned out loud and fell back against the bed when she answered, if there was one thing she could do well it was talking on the phone.

She stuck her tongue out at him before she flipped the phone up to answer. She didn’t even get the chance to say hello before someone yelled “I’M GETTING MARRIED!” at her.

“Rach? Is that you?” She asked recognising the shrill excitement of her sisters voice.

“Yessss and I’m getting married!” She reiterated.

“Really? He asked you? Congratulations!” she said excitedly as she pulled her feet up under her so she was sat crossed legged on the edge of the bed. Nick moved slightly and rested on his elbows wondering what the conversation was about but his questioning eyes weren’t answered.

“So where did he ask? What did he say?” She asked smiling to Nick when his hand trailed up her thigh as she listened to her sister. It had been ten minutes ago, they were on the last day of their vacation in Europe and he had taken her to lunch at the top of the Eifel tower and as they were looking out over the Parisian scenery he just leant in a whispered it to her.

“Aww sweetie I’m so happy for you. Have you called Mom and Dad yet?”

“No not yet I called you first so I better go and call them. Are you going to be in Florida when I get back?” She asked.

“No I’m leaving today I’ve been here for a week it’s all the time I could get off work. You're coming back for Dads birthday though aren’t you?”

“Yeah. We’ll catch up then and we can start planning,” she shrieked happily.

“Definitely. Say congrats to Alex for me and I’ll see you soon,” she replied as she interlocked her hand with Nicks.

“Sure thing. Tuvs ya,” she said before she clicked off.

“I’m guessing Rach?” Nick asked as she shut her phone and threw it into the top of her holdall.

“Yep. Did you know Alex was going to propose?” She asked him, moving so that she was straddling him.

“Maybe,” he smirked.

“You could have told me,” she shrieked hitting his arm playfully.

“Adrianna Jones you are the worlds worst at keeping a secret, especially when it involves your sister,” he told her making her scrunch her nose up at the use of her full name.

“I am not,” she replied indignantly.

“You are too. So where did he do it?” He asked.

“At the top of the Eifel Tower,” she told him before she leant down to kiss him.

“mmm,” he whispered as he pulled away, “Don’t you think that’s a little cheesy?”

“Nah it’s romantic, now you asking me in the middle of an ER waiting room would be cheesy,” she joked but she quickly stopped laughing when she saw the look that crossed his face and how his whole demeanour changed. “Oh god you weren’t thinking about doing that were you? Because if you were forget I said anything, it’s not cheesy, it’s sentimental,” she tried to back track.

“No it’s just…I uh…” he moved quickly and she had to get off his lap and sit beside him as he rested back against the headboard, she could tell by the concentration on his face that he was trying to choose his next words carefully.

“How do you feel about marriage?” he asked looking at her warily.

“What do you mean?”

“If I were to say that I never wanted to get married how would you feel?” He asked taking her hand in his.

“Is that the truth? You don’t ever want to get married?”

“I asked my question first,” he pointed out.

“I’d say that yeah eventually I see myself married, I mean its every girls dream right? Find the right guy, fall madly in love, get married, have kids and live in the house with the white picket fence,” she rambled.

“Don’t you think that’s a little idealistic?” He pointed out.

“Some parts maybe, I could live without the picket fence,” she tried to joke, it amazed her how quickly an atmosphere could change, how when you felt you knew a person you realised from one conversation that you had no clue at all.

“Most marriages end in divorce now,” he said bluntly.

“What’s your point Nick?” She asked when she realised he was avoiding telling her what he really wanted to say, she already knew what it was going to be but she just had to hear it.

“I don’t think I believe in marriage,” he said softly, avoiding eye contact with her.

“You think or you know?” She asked after a few moments, placing a finger under his chin so she could lift his head to look into his eyes.

“I love you Adie I really do, but I don’t know if I could marry you. I don’t think I could ever marry anyone. Does that change things between us?” He asked whispering the last part as though he was scared of her answer.

“I’m not going to stop loving you if that’s what you mean. I mean I understand where you're coming from, why you feel the way you do but…I don’t know how you can write the idea off completely?”

“Maybe my mind will change but right now I cant honestly say that its our immediate future, that I’m even really thinking about it. God I’m such a shit,” he sighed getting up off the bed.

“Don’t say that, you're not. Look you have your reasons for feeling like this, reasons that I partially understand but you still haven’t opened up to me about that part of your life yet,” she silenced him by raising a finger when he tried to explain his reasons for keeping that to himself. “I’m not asking for you to tell me now, I know you’ll tell me when your ready.

“I love you, you know that don’t you? I don’t want you to think I feel your not worth it, that I don’t love you as much as I should because of this. I just…I have a lot to work through and I don’t want to rush into something and ruin what we have, I love you too much to do that, too much to hurt you,” he said softly as he wrapped his arms about her waist when she stood up to join him.

“I love you too, so, so much. It’s just a bit of paper and a ring anyway, we could skip that and just spend a dirty week away where all we do is have sex,” she said light heartedly, making him laugh as he pulled her into his chest to hug her. Thankfully the hug was prolonged because it gave her time to compose herself, to hide the tears that had been in her eyes. To him she had been able to put on a proviso, had been able to pretend that nothing would change, when really all it was, was the beginning of the end.

***


Her talk with Chelle had been interrupted when a multiple victim MVA came rolling through the door and her peaceful shift had become more and more chaotic as they day proceeded. She didn’t even get a chance to look at the note on the beautiful bouquet of tropical flowers he had sent until an hour before she was due to leave.

I was an ass. I’m Sorry!!

She smiled and chuckled at his bluntness as she put the card into the pocket of her royal blue scrubs and began to hunt around for the chocolate kisses Chelle had mentioned earlier but her prediction had been right, they were long gone.

“Hey can you double check this with me?” Chelle asked as she handed her a prescription and a bag of fluid. She gladly accepted and glanced over the prescription, signing when she was happy with the bag that was presented. “Thanks. You want to get a drink after work? Maybe carry on our conversation?” She asked as she took the stuff back.

“I should get home, I don’t want him to think I’m still mad at him.”

“What were you mad with him about anyway?” She asked.

“Being over protective.”

“He saw the bruise?” She asked knowingly.

“Oh yeah. Maybe we could go out next weekend though? He’s leaving for Florida for rehearsals,” she said as she started to rub some discharged patients off the board.

“No worries.”

The last hour flew by so quickly that she ended up leaving almost half an hour late as she didn’t leave enough time to write all of her notes and handover and once again by the time she reached the home that they shared she was completely wiped. She couldn’t bare the thought of working nine till five, five days a week but sometimes the twelve hour shifts she did were killers, especially when she had other things on her mind.

She unlocked the front door and was immediately greeted by Layla, that meant he had to be close by because that dog was like his shadow and when she rose from the floor after petting the over zealous pooch she found him stood in the doorway of the kitchen.

“You got the flowers,” he stated when he saw them in her arms.

“They’re beautiful thank you,” she said as she placed them on the table in the hallway so she could slip her shoes and coat off, “Everyone else said to say thanks for the kisses,” she smiled as she made her way towards him.

“You didn’t get any?” He questioned.

“I wanted to wait for the real thing,” she shrugged as she wrapped her arms around his middle and leant in to softly kiss his lips, sighing when they parted too soon. “I was an ass too,” she admitted and he smiled warmly to her before pulling her in closer to his body so he could hold her.

“I just worry about you. I mean you’re a five foot nothing white girl from Nashville,” he chuckled wincing when she punched his arm.

“Just cuz I’m five foot and a QUARTER doesn’t mean I don’t know how to take care of myself Carter, I mean I do this…” she said reaching up to grab at his neck, “ …and can drop you within ten seconds,” she retaliated laughing when he started squirming but she refused to let go.

“Alright okay, I get your point just let go of my neck,” he pleaded but she refused and he ended up fighting back tickling her sides until she was giggling and squirming so much that she had to let go of him. He laughed at her flushed face before leaning down to kiss her again. It heated up really quickly and before he knew it her hands had found there way into his shorts and were gently massaging his growing erection. He sighed into her mouth as he backed her up against the wall, bringing his hands up to her face to cup it so he could intensify the kiss.

He felt the good feeling in his pants disappear as she pulled her hands away and he was just about to complain before he felt the cold air hit his erection when she pulled his shorts down. He felt her hands move once again and could tell that she was unbuttoning her own jeans she pulled away from the kiss long enough to push them down and step out of them.

“I want you,” she moaned as he began to circle her clit, she was so wet and ready for him and it made him even harder. She didn’t have to ask twice and he crashed his mouth back down to hers in a searing kiss as he lifted her into his arms, she took the hint and wrapped her arms tightly around his neck, her legs following suit wrapping tightly around his waist. They both moaned in pleasure when he entered her fast and hard.

“Your so hot,” he moaned into her shoulder as he started pumping in and out as best he could in the position they were in. A film of sweat started to form along his brow and top lip as he tried in vain to find the perfect rhythm for them, he could tell by the way she was digging her nails into his back that she loved how deep he was going but the pace just wasn’t fast enough and he knew she was getting frustrated too.

“Stairs,” she panted out as if reading his mind and he quickly stopped thrusting and carried her the few feet away. She adjusted to the different position and pulled him back down to her, capturing his mouth in a fiery kiss before she started writing underneath him, trying to get him to start pounding into her again. He resisted and pulled at her tank top instead, he pulled it up and over her head, removing her bra in one swift movement before lavishing some attention of her breasts.

“You taste so good,” he moaned as she whimpered when he licked his tongue across one of her already aroused nipples.

“Please,” she begged.

“Please what?” He asked cockily.

“Fuck me,” she panted crying out loudly when he slammed back inside her. “That’s it…there just keep…fuck,” she called out in ragged breathes as he increased his fast pace, trailing his hand down to play with her clit.

“Come for me,” he told her as he pressed hard on her clit.

“Not yet…feels to good…don’t stop…don’t stop…don’t…” he felt her walls start to pulsate around him, heard her breath start to catch in her throat and with a long throaty moan she came hard, gripping his cock tightly inside her. That was all it took for him to be pushed over the edge and he called out her name loudly as he felt the pressure that had been building finally release.

He sighed into the crevice of her neck after a few moments and gently eased out of her, she sighed contently and pulled him back down for a kiss.

“We should fight more often,” he joked after the kiss ended.

“Hmm well I bet you didn’t make then bed this morning so I can be pissed off about that.”

“Well actually I did make it but I can quickly run up there now and rectify that.”

“You know what? Maybe we should just skip the fighting and get straight on the sex,” she suggested.

“Hmm I second that,” he whispered as he began to nuzzle her neck.
End Notes:
Thanks for the reviews keep them coming!
Absense makes the heart grow fonder by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

Nick leaves for tour rehersals giving Adie more time to think about their realationship
She had been quiet for the entire journey, actually the whole morning she hadn’t really uttered more then a few words to him, and her face said it all, it looked like someone had killed her dog, or ruined her favourite piece of clothing, the frown and sorrowful eyes had been present ever since she woke up and they only seemed to be getting worse.

“Thank you Mr Carter, departure lounge is just that way,” The women, with way too much make up on, pointed from behind the desk as she handed back his passport.

“Thanks,” he smiled as he took the small book back and turned. He didn’t really need to be told where to go, after all these years he could manage to find where he was going with his eyes closed. He grabbed for her hand as he slung his carry on bag over his left shoulder and they slowly made their way over to the security sensors, both knowing that this was going to be where they had to say goodbye. He led them to a set of chairs and placed his bag on that before reaching up to cup her face in his hands.

The tears started immedailty.

“Hey,” he said softly wiping her tears away, “It’s not forever, just a few weeks. I love you,” he whispered before leaning down to kiss her. She wrapped her arms around his waist and pulled him in closer to her as his toungue entered her mouth and gently massaged hers. It was over too quickly and before he knew it she had pulled away.

“Call me when you get there?” She asked.

“Of course. C’mere,” he said opening his arms to her and she obliged letting him squeeze her into a tight embrace. She breathed him in revealing in the feeling of being in his arms, knowing it was going to be a while before she would be again. He placed a kiss to her head and reluctantly pulled away. “I love you,” he said again before he picked up his bag and began to make his way over to the check point.

“Love you too. Try not to annoy my sister,” she added throwing him a lopsided smile.

“I can’t promise anything,” he said as she watched him place his bag through the scanner. He walked through the detector and buzzed once, the change in his pocket being the culprit and once he was done he blew her a kiss and then walked out of her sight.

She sighed and hung around for a few seconds, not really knowing why she was before she slowly made her way back to the main entrance. Her phone vibrated from inside her jeans pocket and she fished it out quickly as she carried on walkng towards her car.

“Love you, only a phone call away :)” he had texted her. It made her smile and she quickly text him back before she clicked a few more buttons and bought the phone to her ear.

“Has he gone?” Chelle asked straight away.

“Yeah,” she sighed.

“Not forever,” she reminded.

“I know. About tonigh-”

“No you are not cancelling, I will not let you sit in doors and dwell on how far away your boyfriend is,” she cut in.

“I wasn’t going to say that, I just really don’t feel like going out but do you want to come over and we can drink lots of wine?” She asked.

“Sure.”

***

Chelle had tunred up about an hour after Adie had gotten home herself and although it was only seven o’clock in the evening they had already managed to consume and bottle and a half of wine.

“I’m hungry,” Chelle announced.

“Kitchen’s over there,” Adie giggled, an effect that wine always had on her.

“Your such a crap host, I’m your guest,” Chelle told her as she got up and headed in the direction of the kitchen.

“Guest? When am I ever a guest in your house? I’m the one who always cooks when I come to your house,” She retaliated shouting back “WHAT?” when Chelle whined her name.

“You have NO FOOD!” She voiced when she made it back into the living room.

“Oh yeah I meant to go grocery shopping,” she remembered chuckling at herself and her forgetfulness

“Well that’s no good to me now, where’s the phone?” She asked but then spotted it anyway and started to dial.

“Who you calling?”

“Some one in China,” she cracked up for some reason.

“What?”

“Chow mein or sweet and sour?” She asked and suddenly the laughter at the poor excuse for a joke became clear.
“Get both.”

Ten minutes later and the food had been ordered and was on its way and both women had fallen into a comfortable silence. It was something that Adie loved about their relationship, neither felt the need to constantly be in conversation and it hadn’t happened over time either from the get go they seemed to have understood each other. They had only been friends for the past four years, meeting when Chelle had been a student and Adie her mentor in the same ER where they both worked now. She had been new to the department herself and they both seemed to bond over the fact that neither knew where anything was, didn’t really know that staff that well, and were both equally terrified of what was going to burst through the door at any moment.

Chelle had only been in the department for eight weeks but they had both kept in touch and when the jobs became available Adie had been sure to call her so she could apply, she had also sang her praises to the staff members who were doing the interviews. Within two weeks of qualifying Chelle had been on shift as a brand new staff nurse, with Adie, once again, her mentor.

So now one of her best friends was laid across her couch aimlessly flipping through TV channels all the while moaning about how her stomach thought her throat had been cut.

“Turn it back, turn it back,” Adie yelled quickly and as asked Chelle did and laughed at her pathetic friend when she realised who was on the screen.

“Your so pateictic, he’s not even been gone twenty four hours and your already going gooey eyed over his music videos,” she laughed throwing a cushion at her friend.

“I’m allowed to miss him,” she struck back by throwing the cushion.

“So is everything okay now?”

“What do you mean?” She asked confused.

“The whole lack of a ring,” she reminded.

“Yeah it’s fine,” she lied.

“You never discussed it with him did you?” Chelle asked knowingly, sighing at Adie’s silence. “If your not happy with the situation its only going to get worse Adie and before you know it you’ll be finding every flaw with him, getting angry at him over the pettiest things, you’ll drift apart and before you know it there is going to be nothing left to salvage.”

“Maybe I’m over reacting. I mean we don’t have to get married, we’re happy,” she shrugged.

“He might be but you’re not. If it wasn’t an issue you wouldn’t be thinking about and I think you need to tell him. A conversation that you had over a year ago doesn’t count.”

“I know what his answer is going to be so what’s the point?” She replied dejectedly.

“His views may have changed. Even if they haven’t at least then he’ll know how you feel, you cant keep something like this hidden forever, eventually it will all come tumbling out but by then it might be too late.”

“I just I’ve always had this plan in my head, knew exactly what my life was going to be like and since I met him everything’s changed, I’m not even sure of who I am anymore,” she admitted.

“Is that a bad thing?” Chelle asked before she took a sip of wine, analysing her friend as she spoke her next words.

“I’m not sure. I’ve always felt the need to know where I was headed in life, to have a goal or an aim like with the career I wanted and I have that, and meeting the right guy and falling in love and I know I have him, I know he loves me and I love him…”

“But?” Chelle Prompted.

“I just feel like we’ve come to this big fork in the road and he’s heading down one and I really want to go down the other. I know marriage isn’t everything and I know why he has such a negative view about it and he’s totally right about most marriages ending in divorce today but I still want to do it. I just feel he’s already conceded to the fact that its going to fail without even giving it a chance.”

“Well you need to tell him that.”

“Why? I know its not going to change anything, he doesn’t want to get married and I do,” she said the pitch of her voice getting a bit higher.

“So what are you going to do then? If he is adamant that he doesn’t want to get married? Are you going to leave him?”

“No…I don’t…I deserve to be happy don’t I?” She asked.

“Of course you do. But there are other ways to be happy together that doesn’t involve marriage. I mean what else would make you happy? What do you think is missing from your relationship?”

“Honestly?”

“No fucking lie to me,” Chelle said sarcastically shaking her head at her friend.

“I would like to have a family,” she admitted.

“How does he feel about that?”

“I don’t know we’ve never really discussed it.”

“I’m seriously going to kill you. You cant expect him to be a mind reader about these things, I mean he’s a guy, cut him some slack,” she defended.

“I just always had it in my head that I would get married and have a few kids and grow old with the guy that I loved, like my parents did,” she tried to explain taking a large gulp of her wine when she was finished.

“Adie…” she sighed, “…you have to understand that you were and continue to be very lucky where your folks are concerned. Not many people can be proud of having a marriage that has lasted as long as theirs, a lot of people have a tainted view of marriage because of what they saw their parents go through and Nick’s one of them and your not going to be able to make him change his mind over night. I’m not saying he won’t or hasn’t changed his mind because he may have but your going to have to be patient.”

“That’s the problem though he won’t talk to me about that stuff, he’s private about it, he very rarely shows his true emotions, hell I’ve never seen him cry,” she told Chelle.

She contemplated what had been said for a few seconds before reaching over and refilling her glass. “Talk to him about it, he may surprise you.”

“Yeah we’ll see.”

***

He quietly made his way down the stairs, trying to avoid making too much noise so he wouldn’t wake up the other two occupants of the house. He had been laying in bed for over two hours but sleep would just not come, he didn’t know whether it was the nerves from the up coming tour, the thought of how many hours he was going to spend trying to remember the old dance steps and still get them wrong or because of how she had sounded on the phone.

His flight had ended up being delayed for two hours due to technical difficulties, so of course he had been frustrated and slightly agitated about that, nervous about getting on the plane when it had apparently been fixed. He however had managed to make it to Orlando in one piece and by the time he had managed to drown out Alex’s repeated moans about having to wait around it had been eight o’clock by the time he had phoned.

She had been drinking, he knew that much, her voice was slightly higher pitched then normal and she kept calling him Nickers something she only said when she was drunk but something just wasn’t quite right, she sounded…well different. Slightly sad but he had expected that, she hadn’t been able to get off the phone quick enough and had been hissing to someone, most likely Chelle, to “shut up!”

He also swore that on more then one occasion he heard Chelle in the background saying “Tell him or talk to him.” It was confusing and ever since she had hung up with the excuse of dinner arriving he hadn’t been able to get his mind off it. He made it in to the kitchen and poured himself a glass of water before sitting at the island in the centre of the kitchen, aimlessly swirling his phone around wanting to call her but knowing she wouldn’t appriciate it at the present time in the morning, she was probably going to have a hangover from hell anyway.

He was just about to get back up and head into the den to watch some Tv when her vioce startled him. “Jesus Rach,” he whined making her laugh.

“I love scaring people,” she chuckled as she made her way over to the sink after she retieved a glass from the cabinet. It amazed him how two people could look so alike and yet act so differently, if you put her and Adie side by side you could quite easily mistake them for twins, sure there were a few subtile differences, for instance Adie’s eyes were green and Rachels hazel, Adie had a small mole right in the corner of the nose and Rachels was quite freckly. It was the personality differences that stuck out the most, Adie had always had her head screwed on, was always organized, always had a plan, Rachel just went with the flow, expected everyone else to make a plan for her, that’s why she had fitted in so well when they were touring, she just followed the itinerary, Adie usually ended up changing it. Not that it was a bad thing, the changes usually always worked out for the better but she would get so stressed out about things when she felt they weren’t going right.

“So why are you up? Missing my sister?” She asked as she took a seat oppistie him.

“Maybe.”

“Loser,” she giggled, frowning slightly when he didn’t laugh with her, “You okay?”

“Do you think Adie’s okay?” He asked.

“What do you mean? Because I know we look a like but we are not one, there is no telepathy going on here.”

“Haha!” he laughed sarcastically before returning to all seriousness, “She was weird on the phone,” he told her.

“Weird how?”

“She didn’t sound happy and she couldn’t get off the phone quick enough.”

“She just misses you.”

“Do you think she’s happy with me?” He asked not knowing whether he wanted her to answer honestly.

“Where’s this coming from? Has something happened between the two of you? I swear I go away on honeymoon for a week and everything fall apart in my absense,” she joked.

“Nothings happened, I just feel like we’re drifting apart ever since we got back after you guys got married, like she’s not happy with me and with us,” he admitted.

“Has she talked to you about anything?” Rachel asked a little too carefully and he knew she was aware of something that he wasn’t.

“To do with our relationship?” he asked and she nodded, “No. Why is there something I should know? Something she’s not telling me?” He questioned.

“You should talk to her.”

“Rach come on, if you know just tell me. Have I done something? Said something? Because you know me half of what I say is utter crap. Have I hurt her in some way and not realised?”

“Look I just think this whole seperation thing is just playing on her mind a lot, since you moved to Nashville you’ve never spent more then a few weeks away from each other. She knows that with this tour you’re going to be gone a lot longer and she just cant fly out whenever she wants she’s got work,” she rationalised.

“That’s her chioce though, not mine,” he bit back.

“It’s something your going to have to get used to though Nick. She’s not like the others you’ve dated she’s not going to drop everything to be at your beck and call.”

“You did it for Alex,” he pointed out.

“Yeah I did but I think we’ve already established that I’m not like Adie. She’s very driven Nick, she always has been, she knows what she wants and she has worked really hard to get to where she is right now. She’s in a job that pays shit, she works in what has to be the most depressing environment ever, she’s special Nick.”

“I know she is, I’ve seen what she does and I’ve heard all of her stories and how her whole face lights up when she tells me about the child whose life she helped to save, I know all that.”

“I didn’t mean special in that way, yeah she’s great at saving lives and that in itself is a gift but I meant she’s special in the way she helps familes deal with the loss of someone they loved. Have you ever seen her help a grieving mother? Seen her break bad news to a family? Because she’s better then most doctors who have to do it, she’s always had a way with helping people through things like that, I mean look at how her and Alex go off together and have their little chats when he’s really down. You cant expect her to give that up,” she told him.

“I know that, I know how amazing she is and I know how missed she would be if she did quit and how much she would miss it but it doesn’t make it any easier.”

“You guys are so mellow dramatic, this tour isn’t going to last forever,” she laughed.

“Feels like it is,” he whined. “I’m going to be the only one on this tour without someone with me.”

“That is so not true and you know it. Leighanne and Baylee aren’t going to be out for the entire tour, hell I probably won’t do the entire tour,” she admitted.

“Does Alex know that?” he asked.

“No so don’t you dare tell him. There’s only so much travelling on a bus I can do with you guys before I end up killing one of you and lets face it Nick it would more then likely be you,” she laughed.

“Hey! I’m no that bad,” he pouted.

“Oh please. I sometimes have no idea how my sister puts up with you.”

“Actually I do wonder that myself sometimes,” he confessed.

“On that note I am going to bed, and so should you, arent you rehersing all day tomorrow?” She questioned.

“Don’t remind me,” he groaned as he trundled up the stairs behind her.






End Notes:
Please review to let me know what you think!
Birthday boy by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

Adie flies in to surprise Nick
“Act like a fucking grown up Nick, your twenty seven years old,” Alex hissed after Nick threw the water bottle at him. The accusation had been fair he had been behind in the routine they were currently rehearsing, it was noticeable and if he was honest with himself he wasn’t even trying, he was exhausted, his knees were killing him but he was mostly pissed off about having to work on his birthday.

“I’m twenty eight now,” he retaliated as he stormed over to the table where his phone was, picked it up and then continued to storm towards the door so he could exit the studio, ignoring the yells for him to “get your ass back here now.”

He made it outside quickly and when he knew he was far enough away from the rest of the guys he let out a strangled cry and began to kick the wall in frustration. It was stupid really, he was acting like a spoilt child, just because things hadn’t gone the way he had wanted. But after all it was his birthday, sure he was only twenty eight, it wasn’t like it was a big deal like A.J’s had been but he still managed to get the day off, still got to spend the day with Rachel like he had wanted. Hell it had even been planned that rehearsals wouldn’t start till the following week. Nick wouldn’t get that, no he wouldn’t even be getting to see his girlfriend because of the stupid airline and its stupid crappy broken aeroplane.

“You know if you break your foot by doing that they would still make you rehearse,” Leigh told him as she leant against the wall.

“Who gives a shit,” he whined.

“It can’t helped Nick these things just happen,” she shrugged.

“Easy for you to say, you and Howie have never spent more then five seconds apart,” he sighed as he leant back against the wall.

“You’re impossible to reason with when you’re like this, do you know that?” She asked and he just shrugged. “She’ll get a later flight,” she tried to rationalise.

“Be too late then,” he whined again.

“What are you planning on dying at midnight or something? Stop being an immature brat, you are twenty eight today no?” she asked and he nodded, “Well stop taking your frustration out on the others, you’ll only have to go back in and apologise for acting like a jerk and we all know that you don’t like doing that.”

“Stop picking on me, its my birthday, Alex got his birthday off,” he pointed out.

“He was on the fifth day of his honeymoon!”

“I haven’t even had cake,” he groaned.

“Pouty boy,” she said grabbing his cheek to give it a pinch.

“I miss her,” he admitted.

“You’re so smitten,” she laughed as she leant back against the wall, bringing her hand up to shield her eyes from the blazing sun.

“I haven’t seen her in two weeks and it’s killing me, I don’t know how we are going to last this tour. I think this is the first time in my life where I feel torn, I love being on the road but at the moment I really don’t want to go.”

“She’s coming to Japan right?” Leigh asked.

“Yeah then she flies back after we’ve done Australia and I won’t see her for weeks,” he whined.

“It’s not weeks it’s like two then your home for a bit, it will work out Nick, people have to make sacrifices and compromises everyday, even with normal jobs. You guys love each other and it will just make the time you do get together that more special and enjoyable. Now are you going to come back inside?” She asked.

“Do I have to?” he groaned.

“Yes, there may even be a surprise for you,” she added knowingly.

“What, cake? Where’s the surprise there?” He whined as he followed her back in, avoiding eye contact with Alex as he passed him.

“Jerk,” he heard him mutter under his breath.

“Asshole,” he mumbled back nudging him.

“Immature brat,” he said more loudly as he pushed in retaliation.

“Bastard,” Nick giggled pushing him again.

“Prick!” he yelled right in his ear.

“Tattooed freak!” Nick yelled at an equally high pitch.

“Yeah that’s original, pills brie dough boy,” he laughed.

“Can’t call me that anymore,” he said as he lifted his shirt to show off his trim figure.

“Nick no matter how many pounds you shed you are still going to have the dough belly,” Brian replied as he slapped his friend in the stomach. “And if your that concerned I’m guessing you don’t want cake.”

“Hell no if I can’t have my women then cake will have to do.”

“Nice to know I’m so easily replaceable.”

His head snapped round when he heard her voice, his whole face breaking out into a huge grin before he made his way to her, picking her up and spinning her round once in his excitement before he placed her back to the floor capturing her mouth with his. They broke apart after the few cats calls.

“What are you doing here?” he asked a bit breathless from the kiss.

“You want me to go home?” She asked pulling away from him in a fake attempt to leave.

“I just meant…I thought your flight was cancelled,” he said still grinning like a Cheshire cat, squeezing her hand in his.

“It’s fun to mess with you,” she shrugged and that’s when he knew, they had all been in on it, purposely winding him up, picking on everything that he did just to piss him off that bit more.

“You bastards,” he scowled turning round to playfully glare at all of his band mates.

“Lets just say payback is a bitch Nicky,” Howie replied with a wink.

“Oh Jesus the wink’s not back is it?” He groaned.

***

He sighed breathlessly as he fell back against the pillow’s exhausted from their third round of love making. He wrapped his arm around her when she snuggled into his chest and sighed again, contently this time as he felt her draw lazy circles on his chest. This was how you were supposed to spend your birthday, in bed, in the middle of the day, with the one that you loved, having mind blowing sex.

It had been obvious that rehearsals were not going to be able to continue as planned after Adie had shown up, the sexual tension between the two of them had just been too much and they had actually ended up sneaking off to bathroom during a quick drink break for a quickie. They thought that they had been sly about it, that the others wouldn’t have known but they couldn’t have been more obvious when they returned and after much teasing the others had allowed Nick the rest of the afternoon off while they stayed and worked on vocal practises of their solo sections for the new tour.

“Please tell me we don’t ever have to leave this bed,” he joked when he caught his breath and his heart rate had returned to semi normal.

“I’d love too but I’d be lying,” she giggled as she rolled onto her stomach so she could look up at him.

“Just lie to me,” he shrugged through a grin.

“Well if we can’t leave the bed then that means you can’t have your presents birthday boy!” she said smacking his arm playfully.

He studied her closely for a moment before lightly trailing his hand down one of her arms and saying innocently, “I’m sure exceptions to the rule can be made for things like that.”

“How did I know you were going to say that?” She said rolling her eyes at him.

“UH! You can’t roll your eyes at me, you can’t be mean to me I’m the birthday boy after all, now where are my presents?!”

“Act like a spoilt brat and you can have a time out,” she warned jokingly.

“Can I not just have a spanking?” He asked arching his eyebrow at her along with throwing her a devilish smirk before he pulled her towards him. She smiled into the kiss that they shared and began to giggle when she felt him start to grow hard beneath her. “Why are you laughing?” He asked indignantly when she pulled away from the kiss.

“You’re like a horny school boy.”

“It’s your fault, you’re there all naked and shit!” he exclaimed moaning incoherently when she started stroking his shaft.

“Like that?” She asked smiling at the expression on his face, his eyes were closed, his mouth slightly parted, his breathing becoming more rapid the harder she stroked. He couldn’t even talk now and just nodded his head in affirmation she smiled knowingly, he was at her mercy now, she knew that he would promise her anything as long as she kept touching him. His moans grew louder as he started to move his hips in time with her pumping hand as his own gripped the sheets beneath him, his knuckles turning white. She moved slowly, not wanting him to realise what she was going to do next and if his next actions were anything to go by she had been successful.

“Fuck baby doll,” he whimpered when her lips encased his swollen member and she began swirling her tongue around the head. “Yeah,” he mumbled, his hips involuntarily thrusting towards her, making her take more of him into her mouth, she ran her hands up and down his thighs before a hand moved to cup and gently squeeze his balls. “Feels so good,” he told her as she felt his hand massage the back of her neck, something he always did right from the beginning.

The first time he had done it she was sure that he was going to grab her head, force her to take more of him, that’s what most guys she had been with before had done. The majority of the time they had been caught up in the moment, wanting more but just couldn’t verbalise it, she understood that but she still hated it, it made her cough and gag and loose her confidence in giving head. He had been different though, his hand had snacked round her neck and she was sure that at any possible minute she would be gagging on his cock, it didn’t happen. She felt him slowly start to rub her neck in small circles, adding a hint of pressure the closer he got, it was nice, relaxing even, and she didn’t mind giving him head when he did that.

She felt the muscles in his thighs start to tighten, and sure enough when she looked up to him his eyes were scrunched shut, he was concentrating so hard in putting off the inevitable, trying to make the moment last but he was so close. A loud moan escaped his lips followed by a blissful sigh as he spilled everything he had into her warm waiting mouth, all the while still massaging her neck.

She swallowed what he had to offer before swiping her hand across her mouth and crawling back up to him, leaning her head on one hand as she slowly stroked the few loose hairs that covered his eyes away while he came down from his high. After a few seconds he opened his eyes and threw her a lazy smile.

“You’re amazing,” he whispered.

“It was just head Nick,” she told him, shaking her head at him.

“You give like the best head, you should put it on your CV,” he said quite seriously.

She burst into laughter at his statement before laying down on his chest, “My CV? What section would that go in?” She asked.

“Special skills,” he said immediately making her laugh even more at him.

“You are crazy!”

“That’s why you love me,” he shrugged. “Hey where are you going?” he asked when she slipped from his arms.

“Do you not want your birthday presents?” She asked raising an eyebrow to him.

“You may leave the bed,” he said gesturing towards her holdall in the corner of the bedroom.

“I’m glad I have your permission old wise one,” she saluted as she walked across the room, knowing full well he was checking out her naked form, that being the reason he hadn’t picked up on the old comment. She bent over and wiggled her ass, eliciting a small groan from him. He had been so horny, the quickie in the bathroom at the studio had been exquisite but had left them both craving more and she was thankful when they guys had let them leave. It had taken everything they had not pull the car over and just go at it in the back seat, they didn’t quite make it to the bedroom when they reached Alex and Rachel’s though, the floor of the foyer had worked just as well as bed. She pulled out the neatly wrapped gifts and made her way back to him, all the while thinking how sexy he looked sat in the bed of messy sheets, his hair every which way, the truly just fucked look.

“I could get used to this,” he told her taking one of the presents from her hands.

“What presents in bed?”

“You naked, offering me presents in bed, what more could we want?” He shrugged.

“Food maybe? A bathroom?” She offered leaning across him so she could pick up his t-shirt that had been quickly thrown aside earlier. She quickly pulled it over her head and pulled the duvet up over he legs as she leant back against the headboard so she could watch him open his presents but he had stopped tearing eagerly at the paper and was pouting at her.

“What?” She questioned.

“I just said that I like having you naked and you go and cover up,” he told her.

“I’m cold,” she whined.

“I know a few ways to warm you up,” he leered leaning in to kiss her put she pulled away quickly.

“Okay I have been trying to get you to open your presents for the past two hours now, so get to it,” she sternly told him but then broke into laughter.

He shook his head at her before he continued to tare in to the brightly coloured paper and that’s when he realised that it was indeed Christmas paper, just as it had been for the previous two years. He remembered how she had apologised profusely the first year, she had his present and had meant to go out and get some normal paper but what with work and him flying in early she just hadn’t been able to and the left over paper from Christmas had been her only option. He looked over to her and she smiled brightly at him quite clearly remembering the same thing he was.

“Why break the habit of a lifetime?” She shrugged answering the question he never actually asked. He laughed at her comment before pulling the red t-shirt out of the paper and when he realised what it said he began to laugh profusely.

The t-shirt was plain but written in the centre in big white words were “WHILE YOU WERE STARING AT MY BUTT I FARTED!!”

“You like it?” she asked laughing at his infectious giggle.

“I love it and the best part? It’s so true,” he laughed even more and then lent in to give her a kiss.

“That’s the beauty of it,” she agreed as she handed him the small gift bag.

“Cool, how did you know I was out of this?” He asked pulling the bottle of Hugo Boss aftershave out, spritzing a bit on himself.

“Cause I have nostrils,” she deadpanned.

“I told you no being mean to me today I’m the birthday boy!” He pouted.

“More like old man!” She teased before screeching when he grabbed her in a headlock and roughed her hair up.

“Now who’s an old man?” He asked when he finally let go.

She sat back up and looked slightly dazed as she tried to brush her now frizzy hair back down so she might resemble someone slightly normal before shoving the next present into his hands.

“That hurt,” she complained.

“Big baby,” he retaliated as he began tearing into the next present and when he pulled the box out he looked at her, his expression difficult to read, almost as if he wanted to scold her but also happy from the gift. “You shouldn’t have got me this,” he told her.

“Why? You said you wanted it,” she shrugged.

“I never told you that,” he said confused.

“I have my sources,” she smirked.

“Aaron?” He asked and she nodded. “This is a lot of money, you didn’t have to get me this,” he told her again.

“I wanted to, it’s your birthday. Plus you can write lots of amazing love songs about hmm…” she pretended to think for a minute, her gaze drifting up to the ceiling as she her index finger patted at her lips, “…oh yeah ME!” She exclaimed making him laugh.

“Your sure you can afford this?” He asked.

“Yeah I’ll just live off beans while your away, and plus I work at a hospital I can steal the food we get for the patients,” she joked. “Happy birthday,” she said as she leant in to give him a kiss on the cheek.

“Thank you,” he smiled back as he looked at the box in his hand, studying the back contents carefully, reading what the programme had to offer, already thinking ahead of all the writing possibilities he would have when he was touring and they were so far apart.

She took the time to rest back against the pillows and close her eyes, the mixture of physical excursion with Nick, the flight and the fact that she had flown straight after a night shift were now all taking their toll of her extremely weary body. She knew that if she was going to make it through the rest of the night which would more then likely consist of dinner either with Rachel and Alex or the rest of clan, then onto a bar and maybe even a night club or late night poker game, she was definitely going to need to get a quick cat nap in.

She heard the knock at the door and felt Nick climb beneath the covers making a smile creep to her lips but she just couldn’t be bothered to open her eyes.

“Are you decent?” She heard her brother in laws gruff voice ask.

“Yeah,” Nick called back but as soon as he started chucking like a school kid who was up to no good she opened her eyes and found that he had rolled over so he was laying on his stomach, the covers completely off, revealing his bare ass to the world.

“Put your fucking ass away Carter,” Alex said as he walked in, completely unfazed by Nicks actions.

“Jesus I think I’m going to be scarred for life,” Rachel teased as she walked in behind her husband before she plonked herself down on the bed next to her sister. “Tired baby sis?” She asked when Adie leant her head against her sisters shoulder and closed her eyes. She only nodded her response. “Well if you didn’t use all your energy in boinking the afternoon away then maybe you wouldn’t be.”

“I did a night shift before I hopped on the plane here, thank you very much,” she retaliated.

“Well you know what it doesn’t matter anyway because you’ll be able to get plenty of sleep now you’re a logic 8 widow,” she replied seeing what Nick was holding in his hands.

“I am not that bad,” Alex told her.

“Oh please, ever since I made the colossal mistake of getting you it for Christmas the earliest you have come to bed is past two am,” she argued.

“That’s where you’re wrong, I’ve come to bed earlier with you for relations,” he said making Adie crack up at his camp voice, “I just got back out again after!” he shrugged.

“Yeah way to make me feel loved,” she argued back teasingly.

“Five minutes after the deed is done you’re drooling on my shoulder anyway!” He exclaimed, she watched the playful exchange before her but as soon as he whispered the next words in her ear her good mood was dampened a little.

“Bet you’re glad we’re not married now.”

It was meant as a joke. It wasn’t meant to be hurtful, to rub salt in her already deep wounds on the subject but that’s just what it did. Luckily enough she was spared having to react when Rachel caught her attention.

“ANYWAY…” she said loudly making sure Alex understood the queue to stop, “We have something we need to tell you guys,” she said taking her husbands hand and smiling at him as she found the words to say.

“Oh my god you’re swingers!” Nick exclaimed. “And you want to swap?”

He received a firm slap on the arm from Rachel before she continued, “No we are not swingers and even if we were there is no way I would sleep with you!”

“Your sister doesn’t seem to have a problem with it!”

“What were you going to tell us?” Adie asked but she already had a huge inkling as to what the “announcement” was going to be and she mentally braced herself.

“Well…” she paused for a few moments, just like they do on those TV programmes so for dramatic effect, “…we’re going to have a baby!”

***

She was sat in the booth at the club, watching him from a distance noticing how he seemed to be enjoying himself when she was doing anything but. The dimly lit, Smokey, loud, stale smelling club was doing nothing to lift her out of the mood she was in and if she wasn’t careful people were going to start realising that she wasn’t herself, they would start asking questions.

She watched as Nick danced with her sister, spinning her round on the floor, his substitute for her when she had refused, claiming that she was a tired and just needed to sit down for a while. He accepted her excuse, after all he knew she had worked a shift the previous night and maybe the alcohol in his system also had something to do with it as well. She kept finding herself staring at Rachel wondering why everything seemed to be working out so well for her sister when she seemed to be stuck in this part of her life with no way out, no sense that things were ever going to change the way in which she wanted.

The news of the pregnancy hadn’t come as much of a shock, it was inevitable really, her sister was married, she was happy and Alex had made it clear on more then one occasion that he couldn’t wait to start a family. It still stung though, for they both seemed to be living the life that she wanted and she found herself wondering if she was actually with the right guy. It was a horrible thing to think, and she felt awful about it but she seemed to be asking herself that more and more. They were so different, polar opposites, he was a live for the moment kind of guy, made decisions based on limited information, could be really spontaneous. She was anything but.

She liked to know where she was headed, always needed to be achieving a goal of some sort, she would ponder over her decisions for days, making sure to research every aspect carefully before she made up her mind. But their relationship had seemed to work, they seemed to balance each other out well. He had taught her to be a little more care free, while she had taught him that although spontaneity was great, he did need to think about the ramifications of his actions a bit more. These differences however were starting to rear their ugly heads again and really it was only a matter of time until one of them was going to have to change for the other, or things were going to crumble.

She didn’t want them to, she loved him, really loved him. He was kind, caring, romantic, funny, sensitive at times and most of all she knew with all her heart that he loved her with all of his. He had demons though, lots of them and she knew it was them that were holding him back, stopping him from being completely open with her something she had struggled with in the past. He didn’t like talking about his feelings much, well the negative ones anyway, he was good at hiding them and at first it had hurt, like he didn’t trust her enough. That’s when she had learnt from Alex that he had been hurt really badly in the past and she started to understand but now? It had been three years since they had been together and he was still reluctant to let her in to that part of his life.

She sighed deeply trying to shake the thoughts from her head and spotted Angel dragging what looked like a heavily intoxicated Aaron towards the exit of the club, she didn’t look to happy to be doing it either. She knew that feeling all to well, she had been the one to drag her sister from a club when she was just about to hurl, or do something that she would quite possibly regret when she was sober and therefore Adie knew that Angel would want someone else out there with her.

She managed to push herself through the throng of people, and shivered slightly when she made it out of the door and into the cool Floridian air, wrapping her arms around herself when her jeans and silk tank top did nothing to keep the chill away. She found them both a few yards from the club, Aaron sat on the side walk, leaning back against the wall, his eyes closed, trying to control the nausea that was sweeping through his system.

“You do this every time!” Angel chastised as she looked down at her brother in disgust.

“Don’t waste your breath honey, he aint gona remember this in the morning, trust me,” she said as she made her way towards them.

“I’m so sick of this, every time we go out it’s like I’m chief babysitter,” she moaned walking away from Aaron.

“I know the feeling, I used to be Rachel’s babysitter,” she shared. “After the thousandth time of managing to pull her out of the club before she hurled I realised something though.”

“Yeah? That you were adopted?” She asked as she squeezed her eyes shut when she heard the all to familiar sounds of Aaron start to heave.

“No. That she never asked me to do that for her and that by constantly looking out for her I was seriously decreasing my chances of having a good time. I used to get really pissed at her as well and she had no clue as to why I wouldn’t answer her calls, or make catty comments because she had been so out of her face.”

“I just don’t want him to embarrass himself,” she sighed.

“Maybe that’s what he needs, then maybe he will lay off a little bit. It took Rach getting arrested for her to see that she didn’t need to get totally trashed,” she told Angel spilling one of her sisters biggest secrets.

“She got arreseted?” Angel asked intrigued.

“Yep she got so wasted and of course I wasn’t there to pull her out of the club or into the bathroom before she hurled. Well it ended up hitting the wrong girls new Prada suede shoes and uh lets just say she wasn’t impressed to have my sisters barf all over her feet,” she remembered.

“What happened?”

“Well this was in London in a pretty dodgy area so of course it turned into a major cat fight which ended in Rachel sitting on top of the girl hitting her over the head with what was luckily a plastic bottle.”

“Oh my god! Rachel? Alex’s Rachel?” She asked stunned, laughing at Adie’s confession.

“Yeah,” she confirmed nodding her head, “She was lucky it was plastic and not glass because she could have been charged with GBH. But anyway the shock of the night in a cell made her realise that maybe she needed to back off a bit. Don’t you dare tell anyone I told you, she’ll kill me,” she added.

“My lips are sealed,” she told her, zipping them shut with her fingers.

“You go back inside,” Adie told her.

“I can’t leave him out here by himself,” she said shaking her head at her brother who was still leaning against the wall feeling sorry for himself.

“I’ll stay with him,” she offered.

“You sure?” Angel asked wanting so desperately to go back inside and start having a good time with her other, more then likely, drunk brother but also feeling guilty about the one who was a mess on the floor.

“Go I won’t offer again,” she said more sternly pointing towards the door.

“Thanks Adie,” she smiled as she turned to walk away.

“Hey I’m a nurse I live for vomit!” She joked trying to be enthusiastic.

“I didn’t mean for this,” Angel said stopping and turning back to face her. “You’re good for my brother, I know he can be a pain in the ass and he comes from a slightly crazy family but you’ve shown him that life isn’t all doom and gloom. He needed that, he hasn’t had that in so long and I know he’s really happy with you, I just wanted to say thanks for making him the old Nick again, like he was when we were kids,” she told her, throwing her another smile.

She didn’t know what to say to that, and even if she did she would probably have cried if she even opened her mouth so she just smiled back before she leant down to Aaron and when she heard Angels heals clack along the sidewalk and disappear into the club again she let out a sigh. She was the second person in as many months to tell her that, she made him happy trouble was he didn’t do the same for her.
End Notes:
Please review and let me know what you think. This story aint getting much love at the moment :(
...well absence sucks! by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

Rachel's announcement makes Adie realise that she needs to talk to Nick
He had felt her leave the confines of the warm bed and his arms earlier and had expected her to return but she hadn’t and now the noise in the room seemed to be increasing, it couldn’t possibly be morning could it? He was so tired that it felt like he had only closed his eyes for a few seconds before he was awakened, he supposed he would have to get used to this again.

He had been spoilt with the lie-ins, with waking up next to her on most occasions, they would either wind up having that great mid morning sex which was enough to put you in a good mood for the rest of the day, or they would sit and watch morning TV in bed. It usually involved watching an old re run of Jerry Springer or Opera which ended up in both of them arguing with what was being said on the TV but all the while making them feel a bit more confident that their own lives weren’t nearly as bad, and the problems that they felt were huge were just specs of dust compared to some of the ones others had to suffer. That was the way it had been ever since they started living together, sure there were the occasions were it didn’t happen, she would be at work or he would be away recording but the separation was minimal, two weeks at the most. This tour was going to change all that.

He would have to get used to the late nights and early call times again, the constant travelling that reeked havoc with his cell reception, how frustrating the time difference was. Most of all though, he was dreading not going to sleep next to her and not waking to her sleepy face in the morning. He mentally shook his head at himself if he’s friends could read his thoughts they’d call him pussy whipped, a complete sap but to be honest he didn’t really care, he had what he wanted more then anything, a girl who loved him for him and not just for the fame or the money or the lifestyle. In one way it was good, she was definitely her own person, had her own opinions, wouldn’t let people drag her down without a fight. When most of the other girls had given up their own dreams to follow his she had refused, she had worked to damn hard to get where she was, she loved what she did and she was damn certain that he wouldn’t give up his dreams to stay in Nashville with her and retire from the business. She was right, he just couldn’t do it and it was unfair of him to expect her to do what he wouldn’t, so after many years of getting his own way where women were concerned, Nick Carter finally had to learn to compromise.

It was the best thing that had ever happened to him. At first it had been easy, he had been coming to the end of the Never Gone Tour and had lots of free time on his hands anyway, sure there was the reality show but that had only been over a summer. She had visited but had wanted nothing to do with the show, so they had met in private a few times, talked for hours of the phone and it was over that period of time that he decided that he was done with long distance, he was done with L.A and when the show wrapped he had shown up at her door until he found a place of his own in Nashville. It had only been his own for a short three months before he asked her to move in with him and she excepted without hesitation but there were a few conditions. He couldn’t expect her to give up her job so she could follow him on tour and she would pay her way, she would contribute to the bills. He had told her that money wasn’t a problem, that he had more then enough but she wouldn’t hear it and so he conceded.

So for six months they lived together, only spending time away from each other when she was working and he loved it. He loved her, he loved their life and most of all he loved the animosity he somehow seemed to have in their small town, he liked being able to go for a meal and not have to worry about the paparazzi, he liked that no matter where he looked there were no bad memories like there was in Florida. So when he got the call from Brian to say that maybe it was time to head back in to the studio again he couldn’t quite in all honesty say he wasn’t slightly disappointed that things were going to change. He knew that the majority of the recording would take place in Florida and LA, he knew that this album would not be a quick recording, they had to find out who they were again what with Kevin leaving, and he knew that he was going to find the separation hard. It was either going to make them or break them and he honestly thought it would be the latter.

He was quite pleasantly surprised though. Long distance had never really been his thing, whenever he was separated from previous girlfriends it was when he tended to stray, making the colossal mistake of hooking up with some random hoochie. He told himself that it was because he was lonely, bored, an array of excuses that didn’t go down well when the women he was supposed to be committed to found out. That hadn’t happened with Adie, well…actually that wasn’t entirely true but it had just been a kiss, it was water under the bridge now. He quickly realised that absence made the heart grow fonder, that he couldn’t wait until he saw her, it made their time together more special, something he learned to treasure. Surely it would be like that again this time? He wasn’t so sure, it was all well and good being away for two weeks but the longest they were going to be apart through this tour was six weeks and that was if she managed to swap some holiday time, if she couldn’t they were looking at eight.

“I know you're awake,” she sing-songed as she pulled the pillow out from under his head, breaking him from his thoughts.

“If I wasn’t I sure am now,” he replied gruffly rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

“It’s a beautiful day the sun is shining, you aren’t seriously going to spend it in bed are you?” She asked sceptically, zipping the bag shut and moving it off the bed and to the floor by the door.

“If it means you’ll have no one to drop you at the airport then yeah,” he yawned making her frown.

“Don’t do that,” she said softly sitting down next to him on the bed, running her hand through his silky blonde locks.

“Sorry,” he apologised, it wasn’t his aim to make her feel bad, to feel guilty about going back to Nashville for work, he knew she had to but it didn’t make it any easier.

“It’s a week and a half and then you’ll be back,” she tried to placate, smiling at him softly.

“I know, I’ve just been spoilt that’s all, I don’t like being by myself,” he admitted.

“You think I don’t know that Nick? How many messages do you send me when I’m working and you’ve got no one round?” She asked him shaking her head playfully at him. “Anyways you’re going to be so busy when the tour kicks off properly that you’re not going to have time to miss me.”

“What about when I’m all alone at night?” He asked through a pout, pulling her so that she was laid next to him.

“You’ll be dog tired from all the dancing that you’ll fall asleep right away,” she added resting her head on his chest. At least that’s what she was hoping, after all it hadn’t taken him long last time…no it was a kiss, nothing else happened beyond that, he knew that this was the only chance he was getting, if he blew it that was the end. He wouldn’t be that stupid again, it had been two years ago, they were new into their relationship, he was stupid and drunk, a mistake that’s all it had been.

“Do you have an answer for everything?” He asked sceptically.

“Yep. Now get up!” She said smacking him lightly on the chest as she sat.

“Don’t want to,” he whined.

“You know if the wind changes your face will stay like that,” she told him matter of faculty.

“So that’s why Howie looks the way he does,” he chuckled at his own joke.

“Stop picking on Howie,” she said pulling his hands in a vain attempt to get him moving.

“Why? It’s fun,” he shrugged.

“It’s mean,” she told him poking his nose.

“See Howie’s stealth you don’t see the stuff he does to me,” he tried to justify, sitting up slightly.

“Oh you’re such a victim,” she said sarcastically letting him get up and off the bed so he could change.

An hour later they were walking hand in hand to the check in desk something that they were both going to have to get used to, it was going to become their norm within the next few months.

“I’m starting to see why you hate airports,” she said to him once she had checked in her luggage.

“Only a week and a half though,” he said to her, wrapping his strong arms around her waist, pulling her closer to him.

“Yep,” she agreed, “and out of those ten days I’m going to be at work for seven so I’m not going to have time to think about you, let alone miss you,” she joked laughing at the huge pout the covered his face. “I was joking!”

“You’re a meanie,” he told her.

“That’s not what you were saying last night,” she said cockily a large smile crossing her face.

“Call me when you land?” He said before placing a kiss to her nose.

“Of course, I love you,” she said before leaning in to give him a kiss, a little surprised when he intensified it, his tongue massaging her lip until she gave him the access that he wanted. She pulled away breathless after a minute eyeing him suspiciously. “What was that?” She asked.

“Just thought I would remind you of what you’re going to miss,” he shrugged handing her the carry on bag she had dropped at their feet earlier.

“It’s ten days babe, I have to go,” she said looking towards the security check point.

***

She stood in the trauma room waiting for any orders from Marissa, the resident currently running the assessment, but she didn’t think that there would be many, after all in front of her on the resuscitare, wailing about being examined was, what looked like, a perfectly healthy new born. All she was missing was a mother.

“I think we can safely say she has a pair of well working lungs, don’t you little one,” Marissa cooed as she bundled the child back up in the mass of blankets. “There’s nothing physically wrong that I can see but I suppose we should get a paediatrician down here to look and then see if there is a bed on the new born unit, unless Mom comes forward.”

“Yeah. You happy for me to feed her?” Adie asked as she patted the newborns stomach to try and calm her.

“Yeah sure maybe then my ears won’t hurt as much,” she joked as she scribbled a few things down on the chart before leaving the small paediatric area of the ER.

“Hey, hey, hey Pumpkin, shhhhhh,” she tried to soothe as she picked up the small mass, swaddled in the blankets. “There that’s better isn’t it, is that what you wanted huh? Shall we see about getting some food into that tummy?” She asked as she made her way to where the small milk storage was. Once the bottle was heated she made herself as comfortable as she could on one of the plastic ER chairs and began to feed the still screaming baby, the room becoming silent as she began to suckle.

How could anyone give up something this perfect? Why would you want to? Adie thought to herself as she fed the baby in her arms. Then again she wasn’t actually that naive, there was always a reason and she had seen this before. Usually the Mother hadn’t wanted this, they wanted to keep their child but there were certain factors at play. A lot of the time it was age, they were too young, hadn’t told their family members, thought that they would be disowned if they did. By abandoning their child they thought that they would be giving them a better chance at life, they sometimes didn’t realise that they were handing them a death sentence by leaving them in places where they might not be found.

Adie knew, deep down that this Mother hadn’t wanted this, for the baby in her arms had been dried after the birth, wrapped in three warm, thick blankets and left in the bathrooms of the local mall, a place that was frequented hourly by cleaners if by no one else in between. This mother would eventually come forward.

“Well look at that.”

She heard what was undoubtly Chelle’s voice from the doorway and looked to her friend smiling.

“What?” She asked pulling the bottle from the child’s mouth, causing it to start squirming and whimper. “Shhhh we need to get all the wind up,” she said as she moved the child to her shoulder so she could start patting it’s back.

“It suits you,” Chelle commented.

“It’s not an accessory.”

“Maybe not but you look like a pro, and now I’m wishing I had done peads instead of working with all these smelly adults who can talk back,” she said as she edged closer. “She’s just darling isn’t she? God now I’m getting broody.”

“I guess I’m going to have to get used to this,” she said as she bought the baby back into the crook of her arm once she had burped.

“You’re not?” Chelle asked excitedly, getting the wrong end of the stick from what Adie had said.

“No I’m not but-”

“Rachel is?” Chelle finished for her throwing her an apologetic smile when Adie nodded. “Well have you talked to him?” She asked.

“I didn’t really get much of a chance when I was there. I mean we were busy with his birthday and other stuff.”

“You busy being jealous?” She asked knowingly as she leant against the wall.

“It’s so wrong isn’t it? I’m jealous of my own sister who deserves to be happy. I’m going to talk to him though I just need to find the right moment,” she said as she offered the baby the bottle again.

“Good, well make sure it’s sooner rather then later. At least that way you’ll know what’s going through his head and even if he isn’t up for a baby or marriage now he might give you a time frame,” she suggested.

“Yeah what did you come in here for anyway?” She asked changing the subject.

“To escape from the madness out there for a few minutes,” she laughed.

***

She sighed in relief as she got into her Red VW Beetle convertible, it signified the end to a busy shift and it also meant that she was one day closer to seeing her beloved. Just as she had anticipated she hadn’t really had an opportunity to dwell on the fact that he hadn’t been around, work had been so crazy that she had actually been asked to cover another shift. At first she had been loathed to do it, the department being so draining that she didn’t think she would possibly have the energy to go back in but the more she thought about it the more sense it seem to make. It meant that she would be occupied for another twelve hours, less time to think about his absence, it also meant that she could spend more time on tour with him as they offered the shift as a time owing rather then overtime money. Sure it was only a day but she knew a day could make all the difference.

She got herself comfy as she lowered the roof to the convertible, she loved this car, loved how girly yet sporty it was, loved how it made her feel to know that she had bought it herself, with her hard earned cash. God the arguments that had caused she remembered. He hadn’t long moved here but she had gladly accepted his offer to move in with him when he asked after just three short months, she practically lived there anyway. Well she had been driving to work one morning when her old Neon Dodge just died, she knew that it was on its last legs, and had been saving to buy a new one. Of course he had offered to buy her a new car, whatever she wanted, even took her to the Range Rover show room but she had point blankly refused to get out of his when he shut off the engine.

“You are not buying me a car,” she said her arms crossing over her chest defensively when she realised he had conned her into coming here.

“Why not?” He asked.

“Because they are too expensive, especially range rovers” she told him through the open window of the passenger door, quickly locking it when he went to open it from the outside.

“You’re making a scene,” he told her.

“Then take me home,” Adie retaliated.

“No you need a car, so I’m getting you a car,” he said firmly.

“Well I don’t want one, I’ll catch a lift with Chelle.”

“You know most people would just accept this nice gesture,” he told her starting to become more agitated.

“Well I’m not most people am I? Just can we please go,” she said raising an eyebrow to him and he conceded, ended up walking around to the drivers side and when he was there she unlocked the doors so he could get back in.

“Have it your way,” he mumbled as he started the ignition.

They drove most of the way home in silence, the radio the only thing breaking up the icy tension that seemed to grow between them. His gaze was trained on the road ahead of them, hers deviated from looking at him to the road beside her and eventually she gave in and knew she had to say something.

“It’s not that I don’t appreciate it Nick. I just…I’ve always been taught that you work for things, that you save for them and then they mean that much more when you finally can have them. I don’t want to scrounge off you all the time, that’s your money, what you’ve worked hard for,” she said reaching over placing her hand on top of his, smiling when he interlaced their fingers.

“I just don’t want to see you use all your money on a car when I have more then enough to buy you a new one,” he said still watching the road ahead of him.

“You don’t have to buy my love Nick.”

“It’s not about that,” he said looking to her quickly, backtracking when she threw him a look, “okay maybe a little bit. With other people I’ve been with-” he started.

“I’m not like them Nick, we’ve been over this,” she started cutting him off, squeezing his hand in reassurance.

“I know you’re not. Its just sometimes you’re too independent and too stubborn like you don’t how compromise,” he said checking his mirror as he signalled left before he turned down their street.

“And you are the master of comprimisation are you?” She chuckled.

“No I’m not saying that. Look I need to learn that I can’t always swoop in pay for everything but you need to learn that occasionally its okay to accept stuff like that from me,” he said slowing to a stop when they reached their property.

“I know. Seeing that we’re being honest here I feel the need to tell you that I’m not really a lover of Range Rovers,” she said scrunching her nose up a bit. Making him shake his head and laugh at her.

“What car do you like?” He asked.

“Beetle, I almost have enough saved,” she told him as she unclasped her seat belt.

“How much do you have?” He asked copying her actions.

“I think I’m one thousand short of the one at the dealership.”

“New or second hand?” He asked.

“Second hand, I think it’s three years old,” she had said opening her door.

“Well how about you put what you have up and I’ll pay the rest but,” he said putting his finger to her lips when she sighed, “You get a brand new one.”

“Nick,” she whined.

“Adie,” he whined back, “Comprimise!”

“You sure?” She asked and he nodded smiling brightly when she clapped and did a little happy dance before leaning over to kiss him. “Can we go now?” She asked excitedly when the pulled apart.


She smiled at the memory as she pulled into their driveway, glad to be home finally. Maybe she should have known then that they were going to have trouble when it came to compromise and that had been over something insignificant like a car. The smile quickly faded, if they had argued over that then how were they going to be rationale about the next steps of their relationship? Was it a good idea to discuss what she had been talking about with Chelle earlier? It seemed as though it was only going to cause more arguments. Then again the longer she left this the more it was going to play on her mind, the more irrational she would seem to Nick if she flipped out of the blue. No she had to talk to him, and she would as soon as he got home.

Only twelve more hours till he would be home anyway and at first she had been excited but now she was slightly anxious, knowing that either way the talk was going to change their relationship, she just didn’t know whether it was going to be a good thing or bad. She hopped out of the car and walked up the gravel driveway to the front door, pushing it open when she had unlocked it before making her way into the kitchen.

“I know, I know you missed me,” she said leaning down to pet Layla when she greeted her eagerly. She stood up after a few minutes walking to the fridge to grab a soda, making sure to pick up the phone before she walked over to the French doors that led out into the back yard. It had become her routine whenever he was away, well even when he was home really. She would get home from work around nine, and if he was home she would usually find him already out here, throwing the ball for Layla, the table all set for dinner so she could eat with him as soon as she got in. When he was away it was an opportunity for her to exercise Layla without having to walk her, a chance to call him and a chance to wind down from her busy day.

It was no different now. She threw the ball to the opposite end of the yard, watching as the dog chased after it before she keyed in the numbers for the messages she was likely to have. One from her Mom inviting her and Nick for dinner next week, one from the hair salon asking if she wanted to re book the appointment she had missed today, she knew there was a reason that she hesitated when work asked her to go in, and one from him.

He didn’t sound to happy, which meant on of two things that rehearsals weren’t going well or that he wasn’t coming home when they had planned.

“Baby? It’s me. I know you’re going to be pissed but I’m not going to be able to make it home till Saturday at the earliest, things aren’t going great here and we need more time to rehearse. I’m sorry. Call me, love you,” he said before the line went dead and the animated voice told her that was the end of her messages.

She sighed as she clicked the off button and sat down on the chair, placing the cordless phone on the table, stroking Layla’s head when she bought her ball back to be thrown again.

“Looks like it’s just us kiddo,” she said as she took the ball from her mouth and threw it again.

“Unless someone is a liar,” she heard from behind her, a smile crossing her face before she quickly turned her face to him, getting up from her chair she so could make her way to where he was stood leaning against the doorframe.

“You’re early!” she said, wrapping her arms around his neck, leaning up for a kiss. He wrapped his arms around her waist, grinding his hips into hers making her moan at the friction. God it would just be so easy to fall straight into bed with him, to have the conversation on another day, to prograsinate again. But she had to be strong, she needed to know for her own sanity. She reluctantly made herself pull back from the kiss and then even back away from him completely when he tugged at her to restart the kiss.

“What?” He asked confused.

“Can we talk?” She asked biting her lip in anticipation.
End Notes:
Thanks for the reviews please keep them coming!
A few home truths by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

The truth telling leads to arguing
As usual when they all attempted to check in together it was utter chaos. There were too many tickets, too many people and too many bags, it was like trying to work your way through an assault course all in view of the ever intruding paparazzi and he knew that by this evening there would be pictures of him picking his nose. But what could you do? If you had an itch that happened to be up there you had to scratch it.

“Nick you’re up,” Howie told him, waving him over to the check in desk. He went to push the trolley with his and Adie’s bags and cases on it but managed to take out Alex’s ankles on route making him yelp in pain.

“Jesus Nick watch what you’re doing,” he hissed whilst rubbing at his now skinned ankle.

“Sorry,” he apologised trying to not laugh when he saw that Rachel was. He made the rest of the few feet towards the desk uneventfully and smiled at the women behind the desk.

“Passport sir?” She asked and he went to grab it from his carry on bag realising that Adie had it when it wasn’t on top of the cases like he thought it would be. He looked around and spotted her in the middle of a hug with Brian who had just happened to arrive with Leighanne and Baylee.

“Babe?” he called getting her attention when she pulled back from Brian, “Passports, they’ll need you for check in too,” he said before he turned back to the women apologetically. “Sorry.”

“No problem sir,” she smiled before reeling off the security questions that he could answer without even thinking. Yes he had packed his bag himself, no there was no way anyone could have gotten hold of his bags since he had gotten here, no there was nothing in his carry on luggage that shouldn’t be and by the time these monotonous question shad been answered she was by his side, Baylee clutching her hand.

“Here you go uncle Nick,” he squeaked handing him the passports she had obviously given him.

“Thanks bud,” he said with a smile before handing them to the women he looked them over, glanced at Nick and Adie quickly before handing them back with the two boarding passes.

“Enjoy your flight.”

“Thanks,” Nick said quickly before moving out of the way so Leighanne and Brian could check in. He was just about to make some catty comment about how much make up these women seemed to have to wear to Adie but he noticed that she had semi stalked off to where he sister was sat, Baylee hot on her heels. He sighed heavily. She had been like it ever since he returned to Nashville a week a go, ever since the night that they had talked, since the night she had wanted to plan the rest of their lives.

“Hey it’s only a fourteen hour flight Nick no need to get that stressed about it,” Brian joked slapping his friend on the back and Nick semi smiled, if only that were the reason he was feeling the way he was.

***

“Can we talk?” She asked biting her lip a dead give away that this was going to be a serious discussion, something that was more then likely going to make him uncomfortable but what could he say? No? It wasn’t really an option.

“Sure,” he said trying to sound less uneasy then he actually was. He let her grab his hand and lead him back through the kitchen and into the living room where he took a seat, noticing immediately how she sat opposite him. It was a rare occurrence, only happening in situations such as these, or when she was pissed off at him, another indication that this conversation was going to be about something he probably would want to avoid. God he felt like a naughty school boy who had been caught doing something he shouldn’t have been, and now he was facing his punishment.

She went to say something about three times but each time she stopped before she uttered a single word, almost she was guilty of something and he felt his heart plummet, had she been unfaithful? Was she just like all the rest who had stabbed him in the back?

“What is it Adie?” He asked sitting forward in his seat.

She looked at him, her chocolate eyes full of confusion before she uttered, “Where do you see us going?”

It wasn’t what he had been expecting and it made him feel even more confused at her behaviour.

“I..I’m not” he stuttered, “What do you mean?” he asked.

“It’s a simple question Nick,” she huffed shoving some unwanted hair behind her ear.

“Are you…are you breaking up with me? It’s because of the tour isn’t it? You can’t do the long distance-” he started panicked that it was what she was planning.

“No I’m not breaking up with you, I just want to know where you see us headed,” she said again.

“You mean marriage don’t you? I knew it, I knew it was bothering you ever since we’ve gotten back from Alex and Rachel’s wedding, you’ve been-”

“I’ve been what?” She asked indigently.

“Distant.”

“Distant? How the hell have I been distant? You’re the one who’s been in Florida for the past month and a half,” she said shrilly pointing accusingly at him.

“I’m not talking about that kind of distant,” he said watching as she stood up and began to pace, another sign that this was not going well. “You’ve not let me in, you’ve been so serious so just come out and say it, it’s about the marriage thing isn’t it?”

“Well maybe I’m giving you a taste of your own medicine, you’ve never opened up to me about things,” she almost hissed, something that he hadn’t been expecting. He hadn’t been expecting this, for her to be so angry and bitter and they still hadn’t gotten down to what this conversation was really about, well she hadn’t come out and said it but he knew. It was about planning their future, she always had to have a plan, had to have a goal in mind when he was more then happy to just plod along, to see where they ended up. He had always hated structure maybe it was the ADHD.

“I…you’re right I haven’t but its complicated,” he tried to explain, not wanting to get into this now, he still had a hard time opening up to people, trusting them with his emotions and although he loved her, he just wasn’t quite ready to tell her, not yet, something she was obviously pissed off about if her face was anything to go by.

“Yeah it’s been complicated for the past three years. I’m not asking for much Nick I just want to know what’s going through your head, where you see us going?” She asked looking back to him. Not asking for much? Hell it would be easier for her to ask for the world, at least he would be able to buy that for her, breaking down his brick wall was going to be difficult. There was no way she could just get a wrecking ball and plough straight through it, she had already tried that and failed no it was something that needed to be dismantled brick by brick. Exploring too much too quickly was just…it just caused him to much pain, too much upset but she didn’t seem to understand that.

“Why do you always have to have a plan for everything? Why can’t we just carry on with what we’re doing? If this is about the whole marriage thing I’ve been straight with you, it’s not like its come as some big shock,” he argued back.

“So what? This is going to be our life together? You’re happy with things the way they are? This is all I can expect?”

“So its not good enough for you? Is that what you are saying?” He said also standing now.

“Maybe,” she said throwing her arms up in exasperation.

“Fine is this isn’t good enough then tell me what you want,” he yelled startling the dog who whined and ran into the kitchen.

“I want to get married-” she started softly.

He sighed heavily before saying, “Adie-”

“Hear me out okay?” She asked and he stayed quiet letting her continue. “I know for some reason you can’t do that right now, maybe not ever and you have your reasons but there is other stuff that we can do Nick, things that were are kind of on a clock for,” she told him.

“Like what?” he asked.

“Kids.”

He felt like another bomb had been dropped on him, there was no way he was ready for that type of commitment either, not really. Yeah he loved kids, loved having Baylee around but it also felt good to hand them back at the end of the day. He could barely take care of himself so how the hell was he supposed to be responsible for another life that would depend on him for everything?

“This is because of Jay and Rach isn’t it?” he asked, knowing instantly it was the wrong thing to say when her facial features hardened, her eyes become darker and she shook her head at him.

“No. I’ve always wanted kids Nick and I’m not getting any younger,” she tried.

“Rach is thirty she got pregnant, hell both Leighanne and Kristin managed to get pregnant in their thirties,” he argued.

“Yeah and all of them were married in their twenties,” she countered raising an eyebrow to him.

“Why do you always have to compare us to everyone else?” he asked.

“You’re doing it!” she yelled outraged pointing an accusing finger to him.

“You know what? I get the feeling that you think you got the wrong guy, that maybe you would have been better suited with Alex,” he said childishly, he didn’t expect her to do what she did next and he couldn’t in all honesty say that it didn’t hurt.

“Maybe I did!” He hissed instantly averting her eyes from his hurt ones, “I’m sorry I didn’t mean that,” she said making her way towards him but he backed off.

“Lets say you did get pregnant, now really isn’t the best timing in the world, I’m just about to go on tour,” he told her trying to make her see but it backfired on him.

“Yeah until September, I doubt I would even get pregnant straight away anyway.”

“I’ve got my solo stuff coming out after that, probably another small tour,” he tried again.

“Alex is doing it,” she pointed out as she sat on the coffee table.

“Rachel is going to tour with him, we both know you wouldn’t do that, not with a newborn,” he countered, knowing he had her then. She wouldn’t do it, she was already trying to convince Rachel that it was a bad idea, that newborns needed stability, routine, things they quite clearly were not going to get when touring the world.

“So I’m supposed to put my life on hold for you? How is that fair?” She questioned.

“What did you expect I was going to say today? You knew that this year was going to be hectic did you just think I was going to say yeah lets have a baby now? Throw all that in the mix as well? You’ve got to be crazy to want that at the moment,” realising how it sounded all to late.

“So I’m crazy to want a future with you? That’s nice to know,” she sarcastically bit shaking her head in agitation at him. God this was not going well she was turning around everything he was saying, putting her own spin on things, making him sound like an utter dick. He was trying to be rationale, there was no way now was the right timing he was leaving for a ten month tour in a matter of days and then after that the others were already talking about heading back to the studio.

“Stop changing what I’m saying,” he warned.

“Well lets put a different spin on this. So what would of happened if I had come home today and told you I was pregnant?” She asked.

“Why are we doing this? You’re not pregnant.”

“Just say I was, how would you feel?”

He was quiet for a few seconds, not really knowing what to say to that. He wouldn’t have a clue how he would have felt, not really and he told her that, “I don’t know.”

“It’s not difficult Nick, would you have been happy or not?”

His silence was enough answer for her.

She shook her head at him before saying, “I suppose now you’re going to tell me that along with not getting married you don’t want kids either.”

“It’s not that I don’t want them Adie just right now is not the best time, maybe in a few years-”

“Yeah I’m sure then you’ll be ready,” she added sarcastically before she stalked out of them room trying to hide her tears but he saw her slyly try to wipe them away as she left his sight. He sighed deeply before making himself follow her into the kitchen. He watched as she picked up her purse and found her keys, finding his voice when she started to head towards the front door.

“Where are you going?”
“Chelle’s and don’t even think about following me or calling me,” she told him as she left him behind in the kitchen, making him wince when she slammed the door.


He watched her from across the isle knowing how much damage that one fight had caused, it had been enough to drive her away for three days, and he had almost caved and called her but he stopped himself knowing that if he had gone against what she had asked she would have stayed away longer. As it had been he was unsure whether or not she was going to accompany him to Japan but she had turned up two days ago, things were by no means fixed though.

They hadn’t even had the amazing make up sex that usually occurred after fights, he had tried but each time he had been pushed away with another excuse of needing to pack or being too tired and last night he hadn’t even tried, climbing into bed beside her already asleep body. The flight from Nashville to LAX hadn’t been fun, spent mostly in silence, the few words spoken about the plan when they reached their next destination. As soon as they had met up with the others she had eagerly gone to speak to Rachel and Leigh, leaving him with Alex and Howie and the bags to check in. He had been hoping that on this flight maybe they would get the chance to talk, to make up and land in Tokyo semi happy but Baylee had thwarted his plan.

“Can I sit next to Adie?” he asked looking from her to his parents, making Nick inwardly sigh.

“You’ll have to ask her kiddo,” Brian told him as they all made their way towards the departure lounge.

“Of course you can sweetie,” she had told him with the first genuine smile he had seen all week.


So now he was sat next to Jen, bored and they were only three hours into this mind numbing and also butt numbing long flight, thoughts of the previous week plaguing his mind.

“Whatever you did just apologise,” Jen told him without looking up from her laptop.

“Why is it me that did something?” he asked indignantly. “She’s no angel you know.”

“Look I need you on top form and when you are quite clearly stuck in your head I know it’s not going to happen, just make sure it’s sorted by first night okay?”

“Whatever Jen, who died and made you queen on the world?” He asked starting to get pissed off at her as he threw the headphones over his ears and became engrossed in the film that was playing.

***

The turbulence had started at seven hours into the flight, the few jolts every now and then making Baylee let out a few gasp of surprise. He had been quickly placated though and had carried on colouring which suited her as it gave her more chance to broad about their argument.

It had ended with her walking away before she said or did something she knew she would regret, god the words had even been on the tip of her tongue and she kept repeating them in her head.

Did she really think a break from each other would be good? She wasn’t sure and that was why she left, spent three days at Chelle’s bitching about him, asking whether she was wrong to feel how she did, her best friend trying to assure her that no it wasn’t wrong but she also needed to look at Nick’s point of view. She had tried to understand but it just always seemed that everything had to be done to his time scale, to meet his needs, well what about hers?

She had been so angry at first that she thought about not going to Tokyo with him, but after a few days of cooling off she had returned home knowing that she needed to be there for him when this tour kicked off, she could stew some more when they were half a world apart, hell maybe that would be the break that they needed, maybe then he would realise what he wanted. She just hoped that his wants would eventually mirror hers, I mean who couldn’t want one of these? She thought to herself as she looked down at Baylee.

She knew he had been pissed off when he asked to sit next to her, even saw the attempt at hiding the eye roll but she didn’t want to sit next to him for fourteen hours and pretend that everything was ok when it clearly wasn’t, she didn’t want people seeing how distant they were from each other, didn’t want to have to explain it again. Rachel had already realised as soon as they had made it to LAX asked her what was going on. She had played it down, said they had a stupid argument the night before and just hadn’t had a chance to make up yet, she couldn’t deal with trying to explain it all to her, she probably wouldn’t understand anyway, because she had it all.

She was suddenly snapped from her thoughts when the plane jarred suddenly making Baylee start to cry. She tried to soothe him but as the turbulence increased he just got worse and she knew that all he would want would be his Dad and just as she was about to call for him he appeared smiling. She quickly stood from her chair and moved so he could slide in and take care of his scared son, leaving her to find a spare seat. She spotted one quickly next to Howie and was just about to make her way there when she heard his chant.

“Oh god, oh god, oh god,” he whispered to himself. His eyes were clamped shut, his hands gripping on to the arm rests so hard that his knuckles were completely white and no matter how mad she still was with him she knew she couldn’t leave him like that. She reached up and carefully undid the overhead compartment to retrieve her bag so she could pull the tablets out of the front pocket.

She slipped into the seat beside his just as the seatbelt sign pinged on but he hadn’t noticed her presence and just fumbled with his belt, quickly clasping it in place with his eyes remaining closed. She bit back a chuckle as she snacked her fingers through his giving his hand a slight squeeze. He opened his eyes at the contact, looking at her sheepishly.
“Take two of these,” she said handing him the strip of tablets.

“Is it rat poison?” He sarcastically asked as he tried to take them from her but she pulled the strip away at his sarcastic comment raising an eyebrow to him.

“You know I can put these back in my bag and let you suffer,” she told him before lowering the pack to his reach again.

“Sorry,” he apologised as he took the tablets and shoved two in his mouth before downing them with his bottle of water, his eyes closing again as he waited for the diazepam to work it’s amazing calming magic. It only took a few minutes before his nervousness seemed to ease and in reality it was more likely due to the turbulence decreasing then the medication working but his grip on the arm rest and her hand began to loosen and after ten minutes his eyes opened.

“Better?” She asked as she lightly stroked her thumb over his knuckles.

“Much,” he told her with a smile. “Sorry.”

“You don’t have to apologise about a fear of flying.”

“I wasn’t saying sorry for that. Can we call a truce?” he asked.

“I just can’t forget about this Nick,” she told him through a sigh.

“I’m not asking you to. It’s just I have a lot going on right now and I just want to enjoy this next two weeks with you before you have to leave. I love you Adie I’m sorry if you don’t feel like I do-”

“I never said that,” she said quickly her tone becoming dangerously accusing and angry again making Rachel look to the pair of them, turning her head away when Nick threw her an apologetic smile.

“I never said you did but deep down that’s what its about if you are honest with yourself. I do love you and I just have a lot of issues when it comes to the stuff we were talking about. I know I don’t talk to you about it and I’m closed off and have no heart in my hollow tin chest,” he joked making her actually smile at him.

“You do have a heart Nick it just needs mending though doesn’t it?” She asked tracing her finger over his chest.

“Yeah,” he agreed.

“Might help to talk about it,” she prompted making him turn his head away from her and sigh. He was quiet for a few minutes, his breathing becoming so even that she was sure the diazepam had worked so well he had actually fallen asleep but when he squeezed her hand she knew he was just a bit drowsy.

“I promise I’ll work on it,” he told her.
End Notes:
Keep the reviews coming. I want to know what you thought about this chapter!
Nick Backstreet vs Nick Carter by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

It's the start of the tour and Adie realises actually how little she knows Nick
For three days she had put the thoughts of their fight to the back of her mind only thinking about it when she got a quiet moment like just before she fell asleep and she knew that he was way to bogged down with the start of the tour to be even contemplating it, his promise of “working on it,” probably long forgotten. Not that she could really blame him at the moment and the more she thought about it the more she saw that he was right in what he was saying, having a baby now was not the right time.

She had the idea in her head, right from when she was little, that the father of her child would be there throughout the pregnancy, go to OBGYN appointments with her, be there at the first sonogram, to feel when it kicked for the first time but that wouldn’t happen. Well not unless she gave up work to travel with him but that idea didn’t appeal to her much either, in fact she couldn’t think of anything worse and she had no idea how her sister was going to do it.

It didn’t stop her craving a child though.

“So what happened between you two the other day?” Rachel asked, linking her arm with Adie’s as they strolled down Harajuku street taking in all the sights and shops.

“Just some stupid fight,” Adie shrugged trying to play it down.

“About what?” Rachel asked sucking on a lolly pop, apparently they were they only thing that kept the morning sickness at bay.

“Stuff.”

“Stuff yeah me and Alex fight about stuff all the time too, makes me leave for three days as well,” she said knowingly with a frown.

“How do you know about that?”

“Overheard Nick talking to Howie,” she told her, “So what was it about? The whole commitment thing?”

“Maybe,” she said stopping outside one of the shops to look at the merchandise hanging in the window hoping that Rachel would get the hint that she didn’t really want to talk about it. She heard her sister crunch obviously on the rest of the lollypop all the while thinking about how they would have to visit a dentist if she broke her tooth.

“It didn’t go well? He still against the idea of marriage?” She asked.

“What gave that away?” Adie sighed.

“So what are you going to do about it?” Rachel asked as the wondered into the shop and started looking at the clothes on the racks.

“There’s not a lot I can do, I can’t force him to marry me,” she said picking up the leather jacket and trying it on.

“That looks good, you should get it,” Rachel commented, “You’re not happy though, you can’t stay like that, it’s not fair.”

“Yeah well things are just a bit crazy at the moment what with this tour, maybe when it’s finished we can talk some more about it.”

“So you are going to put your life on hold for the next ten months? That really doesn’t sound like you Adie,” she said sceptically rolling her eyes when her sister eyed the price tag on the jacket she had just tried on and placed it back on the rail.

She kept quiet knowing full well that what Rachel was saying was true, it wasn’t like her, when she wanted something she worked damn hard to get it, never just rolling over and forgetting about it. This was huge too, it wasn’t like a job or a hobbie which she had to be the best at this was the rest of her life, her plan to see her into old age with someone that she wanted to be with and loved. So why was she just going to put all that to the back of her mind for the next year? A Year was a long time, a lot could happen and she was just going to waste that precious time? Half of her was screaming that it was just too long, she was compromising with him being away so why couldn’t he compromise a little too? The other half knew why she was doing it though, because deep in her heart she knew that he was the one, even if he wasn’t sure she was and she knew that he would be worth waiting for.

***

When she returned back to the hotel a few hours later she found him sprawled out in their bed, the TV blaring but he was quite clearly not playing any attention to the cartoons that were on if his light snores were anything to go by. She smiled at his peaceful face before turning to TV off and dropping her coat and bags on the chair by the window. She looked at the face of her watch and decided that while he was sleeping it would be a good idea to take a bath before they met up with the others for dinner.

She sunk into the tub, the water soothing and relaxing and she grabbed for the book that she remembered to bring in with her. This by far was one of her favourite past times, a long leisurely bath where she could soak away all the stress from the day, try to forget about the things bothering her and just engross herself in a totally different world. Currently it was the world of Jodi Picoult nineteen minutes, the story of a high school shooting and of a mother realising how little she knew about her son, someone she apparently loved dearly. Well she could relate to that because the more she thought about it, the more she realised how little she really knew about Nick.

Yeah she knew his birthday, the names of his parents, siblings and friends. She knew what sports he liked, which teams he supported, what music he liked to work out to, to listen to in the car, his favourite foods, how he told Howie he was a child for reading the Harry Potter books when he had secretly watched all the movies. That stuff she knew, it was the other stuff he was closed off about, like his childhood, why he was still so distant from his Mother, why he didn’t attend his own Father’s wedding, the reason behind only seeing his half brother once, why he didn’t trust her enough to share how he felt, to share his fears with her. He had once told her that thing he loved about her the most was that he knew she loved him for him but how could she possibly know the real Nick when he had never opened up to her and bared all?

She didn’t really have time to contemplate it further because she noticed him leaning against the door, his eyes still sleepy, his hair a mess, his mouth open mid yawn.

“Nice nap?” She asked and he just nodded making his way further into the room, hobbling a bit a dead give away his knee was still playing up. “Is it still hurting? She asked with a frown, knowing that it would probably only get worse what with all the dancing he was going to be doing.

“Yeah,” he replied hoarsely as he perched on the edge of the tub, massaging it lightly. “That bath really helped it last night,” he told her suggestively.

She got the hint and moved across slightly nodding her head in agreement. He slipped of his jeans and t-shirt, just leaving them in a messy pile on the floor before gently easing himself into the warm water, sighing when he was finally comfortable. She watched as he rested his head back and closed his eyes.

“Don’t fall asleep again,” she told him with a small giggle.

“Why? I’m exhausted. I think I’m getting too old for all this,” he told her making her laugh even more.

“Too old? You’re not even thirty yet,” she said splashing him with some water.

“Well my knee is about ready to give out on me,” he whined.

“If you make sure you warm up and then warm down properly and wear the knee support it will be fine,” she told him rubbing his calf.

“That feels nice,” he complimented as she added more pressure. “Can we be unsocial tonight? I really don’t feel like going out for dinner.”

“Sure I’m not in much of a socialising mood myself, too tired from all the shopping,” she told him.

“How much did you buy?” He asked.

“Not much, few souvenirs for people, a pair of boots but I’m too tall for anything else here, Japanese women are too tiny,” she told him making him laugh at her. “What?” she asked.

“You’re not exactly Shaq though are you I mean you’re a five foot midget,” he said wincing when she grabbed hold of his knee in retaliation. “Ow that hurt,” he whined.

“Oh please I barely touched you,” she said rolling her eyes, “and I’m five foot and a quarter!”

“Yeah because that quarter makes all the difference!”

“It would in some areas!” She bit back jokingly making him scowl at her comment.

“That was below the belt,” he grumbled.

“I thought this was below the belt?” She coyly said as she wrapped her hand around his shaft making him moan and the sudden contact. She smiled and shook her head playfully at his expression, feeling him grow hard in her hand. “Should we be doing this? Do you guys have the no nookie before a big show rule?” She teased as she added a bit more pressure.

“Fuck no, we aint that stupid,” He almost panted, “Jesus.”

She smiled again before pulling her hand away and standing up so she could reach for the towel. His eyes immediately snapped open in disappointment as he watched her step out of the tub and wrap the towel around her sopping body.

“Where are you going?” he asked as she began to head towards the door, the few hairs that had escaped her messy bun now wet.

“We tried sex in the tub before remember? It didn’t end well.”

When he finally made it out of the bathroom, after quickly rough drying himself and flinging the damp towel on the floor along with messy pile of discarded clothes, he found her sat naked on he bed, phone clutched in her hand as she made their excuses.

“Yeah, his knee isn’t feeling great, probably a better idea if he keeps off it tonight and ices it. Yeah…okay we’ll see you guys in the morning…talk to you later…bye,” she said as she hung up, smirking at him when he looked at her curiously, “What? It wasn’t a total lie.”

“How can you read my mind like that?” he asked as he made his way to the edge of the bed where she was sat. She reached up and grabbed both of his hands in hers, pulling him down, spreading her legs so he could rest comfortably between them, their damp torsos touching.

“I just can, I’m very skilful like that,” she said before leaning up so she could make contact with his mouth, parting his mouth quickly with her tongue. He sighed blissfully into her mouth as he rested most of his weight on his elbows, one of his hands gently caressing her cheek. She slid her hands down under his arms, snaking them back up to clutch as his masculine shoulder blades, feeling his muscles contract as he intensified the kiss, slowly starting to grind against her.

She pushed her own hips up against him causing a long deep moan to escape from him as he pulled away from the kiss, his hand trailing down her body lightly, coming to rest at the crook of her knee, hooking his hand underneath it he gently lifted it round his waist pushing inside her quickly making her breath catch in her throat at his sudden action. He kept still for a moment his eyes closed in concentration as he revelled in the feel of being surrounded by her once again, she was so tight and warm around his throbbing cock and he wanted to make the moment last.

“Nick,” she moaned thrusting her hips up towards his making him moan with her as she interlocked their fingers. He slowly pulled out of her before sliding back in causing her to arch her back and call out throatily again. He kept the pace as slow as possible, knowing that it was the best way to torture her, to make her moan his name loudly, to make this last. She quickly raised her other leg wrapping it eagerly around his waist pushing him deeper, moaning every time he thrust hardly back into her, begging for him to go deeper and faster. He hissed when he felt her finger nails scratch down his back after she pulled her hands from him, he knew he was going to be marked from that but he didn’t care, it could go along with all the other faint trails that she had left on his back from their other escapades. Her hands came to rest at the nape of his neck, her fingers curling into the short hairs that were there as she bought his face to hers so she could kiss him, mimicking the actions of their hips with their tongues.

He felt her begin to loose control, her nails once again digging into his skin, her breathing becoming more ragged and then he felt the all too familiar feeling of her walls pulsating around him and before he knew it she was screaming his name as she rode out her orgasm, squeezing him so hard from within that he had no choice but to also loose control and so he let himself go coming hard inside her with a strangled cry.

He rested his head in the crook of her shoulder as he tried to catch his breath, her hands gently massaging his back as she too relaxed after their feverish love making. He felt her legs drop down from around his waist as she gently planted a few kisses to his head and he finally made himself pull out of her as he rolled to the side so he wouldn’t crush her.

“Definitely much better then being social,” she said also rolling on to her side so she could rest her head on his chest, slinging a leg across his in an effort to get even closer.

“Who needs friends?” he agreed with a chuckle, his arm wrapping protectively around her.

***

She awoke the next morning with a smile on her face it quickly fading to a pout when she turned and found his side of the bed empty, a small note resting on his pillow. She rubbed the sleep from her eyes before sitting slightly and grabbing at the crinkled piece of paper, pulling it open to read his scrawled note.

Hey Sexy,

Left for the venue earlier then planned, some problem with the mics. Thought that after last night you might like to lie in for a bit! : P

Josh is going to head back to the hotel around midday to pick up Rach, Leigh x 2, Baylee and you. See you later.

Your incredibly gorgeous boyfriend! ( who is AGAIN scarred!)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX



She laughed at the note, he wrote them exactly like he would talk, god she had a box full of notes like these from him at home, they weren’t even really love letters, just ones that he had left if he wasn’t going to home when she got back from work, if she had still been sleeping but she just hadn’t been able to part with them. She folded the small note back up and slipped it onto the bed side cabinet before stretching out in the comfy bed, the sheets messily draped over her naked body, before closing her eyes and contemplating going back to sleep.

Her stomach had something to say about that though and she knew that some breakfast was in order so she opened her tired eyes once again and spotted the bathrobe lying on the chair by the window, throwing that on she headed into the small living area and found the room service menu, ordering a light breakfast of toast and cereal with a large black coffee. Hanging up the phone she knew she would have at least ten minutes if not longer to wait and headed in the shower, hoping that the water would erase what was left of the sleep.

It seemed to work its magic because when her breakfast arrived twenty minutes later she was refreshed, rejuvenated and ready for the day ahead, knowing that it was going to be a long one. It was sixteenth of February 2008, the very first night of the Unbreakable Tour and considering that Nick had left before nine AM she knew that the day was going to be busy. She had no idea what to expect, she had never really toured with him before, when they first started dating he had been heading towards the end of the Never Gone tour, in fact she had only been to two shows, the frst being in Nashville when he sent her the tickets as a thanks and the second being the last night of the tour in Melbourne. She hadn’t been with him through the stress of trying to organise a tour, had no clue what had to be going through his mind today and she doubted that she ever would, their jobs were completely different.

She finished her breakfast quickly, piling up the plates and leaving them just outside the room wondering what she was going to do to keep herself occupied for the next few hours, she didn’t really no either of the Leigh’s that well and she figured her sister would still be sleeping so she headed back into her room and found her phone, jumping when it began to ring as soon as it was in her hand.

“I thought you would be to busy with the microphone catastrophe to talk to me today,” she teased when she answered.

“I would call it a catastrophe more like a minor hiccup. You get my note then?” he asked.

“Yep. I didn’t even feel you get out of bed.”

“That’s because I’m sly, I move swiftly, almost cat like,” he joked making her laugh at his obvious good mood and excitement about this evenings events.

“Cat like huh? Is that why you like to be scratched behind the ears?”

“Yeah ears are nice, back not so much, you actually made me bleed you evil wench,” he whined.

“You weren’t complaining when I was doing it,” she informed making him try and retaliate but he knew what she was saying was true, he had been enjoying it, just the after sting was a bitch now. “So what are you doing now the minor hiccup has been sorted?” She asked as she stretched out on the couch.

“Sound check, might actually do a full run through, not sure yet I just know I’m bored,” he said.

“So that’s why you called me huh? Just something to do to pass the time because you are bored not because you love me and miss me?” She said feigning being hurt by his comment, knowing at that precise moment Nick would be kicking himself for what he just said thinking that she was begin serious.

“No…I didn’t mean…I…” he heard her chuckles and clicked, “You almost had me there. Are you dressed?” he asked.

“I am not having phone sex with you, you’ll only get pulled at way at the worst possible timing,” she told him knowing full well what would happen like it had so many times before.

“And you call me horny all the time! I wasn’t even thinking about sex, don’t roll your eyes I wasn’t,” he said freaking her out when she did actually roll her eyes at his last comment. “I just wanted to know if you’re ready because if you are you can come now.”

“I’m ready,” she told him.

“Cool I’ll get Josh to come and get you,” he replied happily.

“Nick we are staying the Tokyo Dome Hotel which is like two minutes from the Dome itself I don’t think I’m going to get lost when I can actually see where I’m headed, unlike you I do have a natural sense of direction.”

“Fine like to see you make your way through the throng of fans who will know exactly who you are in one piece,” he told her knowingly.

“There are fans there already?” She asked surprised, it was barely even ten am the gates didn’t open for at least another eight hours.

“Yep they were here when we arrived at eight, so do you still want to come by yourself or should I send Josh?” He asked again.

“Send Josh. I’ll see you soon,” she told him.

“Okay I’ll probably be annoying someone, just follow their frustrated yells,” he said making her laugh.

“By someone you mean either Howie or Jen don’t you?”

“Yep. Love you,” he said.

“Love you to,” she said before hanging up and making sure she had everything she needed as she knew she wouldn’t be heading back before the show was over, it was certainly going to be a long day.

***

She sat with Rachel and Howie’s Leigh in the green room and just took in the scenes around her, everyone back stage was busy, doing something and everywhere she had tried to stand she had been in the way. Even when she had been sat in his dressing room she had caused problems laughing at his ridiculous vocal warm up, the sounds coming from his mouth causing her to laugh, making him in turn laugh with her and if she had stayed with him she knew he wouldn’t have been able to finish.

They had twenty minutes before they were due to go on, and she could tell as soon as he walked into the green room that he was nervous. He was biting his nails for one thing, and when his eyes locked with her he flashed an awkward smile which she returned, standing up to go to him.

“You okay?” She asked when she reached him as Jake, one of the sound techs, wired his mike to him, he nodded unconvincingly and took her hand in his, pulling her from the room when his mike was in place. “Are you sure you’re okay?” She asked again when they found themselves in an empty hallway.

“I’m fine,” he shrugged.

“Nervous?” She asked knowingly.

“Maybe,” he admitted with a small blush.

Adie smiled warmly and wrapped her arms around his shoulders, pulling him down to her level for a hug, whispering, “You are going to kick ass,” before placing a kiss to his cheek.

“Thanks Babe,” he smiled wrapping his arms around her tightly lifting her off the ground slightly making her shriek. “You’re going to watch from out front right?” He asked when he let her go.

“Of course I am.”

***

How she wished that she had watched from the Green Room, or had thought about sneaking out when they lights went dark because she hadn’t been prepared for fans. She was a nobody, no one special, not famous, just plain boring Adrianna from Nashville yet they were so interested in her, flashing cameras at her, asking her questions, thrusting paper and pens at her for autographs. Sure when she had been with him to events and partied the paparazzi had been flashing pictures of them, calling out his and her name and she was no stranger to ending up in trashy tabloids but this was different, she had had very few encounters with his fans when she was by herself. On the occasions where she had met them they had been more interested in Nick then her but now? Well it was totally different.

She watched as Leigh and her Sister chatted easily with the fans, signed autographs and posed for pictures. Rachel chatted with ease, talking about the wedding, about Alex’s solo stuff, Leigh pretty much doing the same how could neither of them find it a bit weird, after all these girls were only interested in them because of their husbands, it was all so false. She played along anyway because she knew how Nick’s fans could be, one bad run in and it would be posted on every internet site across the world, tarnishing her name forever.

When the lights finally went out and the decibels of the screams increased to fever pitch she sighed in relief, god her cheeks had never hurt so much from all the smiling then again she supposed she would have to get used to this, after all it was his job.

Her cheeks were only going to hurt more though because once the show started she found herself grinning like a Cheshire cat at him. She hadn’t really seen any of the rehearsal stuff, hadn’t been able to go to the dress rehearsal in Florida as she had been working and she was glad that she didn’t because watching it for the first time with the mass of fans behind her was the only way she wanted to see it. All the rehearsals, the sweat, the blood and tears had certainly paid off because he was flawless, they all were. Not a note missed, not a dance step out of time not that she thought any of the fans would have noticed with all the noise they were making, it was amazing that even though English was not the first language they still knew every word, hell any one of the guys could have held their mics out for the whole show and the crowd would have stood in for them.

He looked so comfortable up on stage, so at ease and relaxed and she had no idea why he had been so nervous because he was an excellent show man, a very polished and professional performer, giving his all to every move and note.

She had realised long ago though that Nick Backstreet was not Nick Carter.

They were as different as night and day, as chalk and cheese. The more she thought about it, the more it dawned on her that even she did not fully know Nick Carter.
Who says romance is dead? by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

Nick tries to show her how much he loves her whilst in OZ
He woke up when he rolled over to pull her closer to him but all he found were cold sheets. He opened one eye and as he expected the bed was empty, the clock reading seven am and he sighed as he tried to go back off to sleep, why did she feel the need to wake up so early on his day off? Well he knew why it was her last day, at ten pm tonight they would both be winging their ways in opposite directions, him to Jakarta her to Nashville and it would be a long three weeks until they would see each other again.

When he heard the shower start to run he knew that it was time to get up and so he forced himself into the sitting position grabbing for the robe that was on the end of the bed and pulling it around his naked body, remembering their escapades from the night before, smiling to himself as he did. He knew she would be at least fifteen minutes in the shower, if not more and then she would probably have to dry her hair, put on some make up so he decided that it was a perfect opportunity to check his email, to see if Aaron had returned the message he had sent after he found out about the arrest. “ Punk Ass,”Nick thought to himself scarily realising how much he sounded like Kevin after a few seconds.

He found out three days ago from his Father and of course he had gotten stressed about it, anything to do with his family left him feeling that way, like once again he had failed them. After the reality show he had promised to be there for all of them, to look out for them and protect them and what had he done? Moved halfway across the country to a place where none of his siblings lived, he had started a new life with the women he loved and yes he was happy but again he had looked out for number one. The one time when his brother had needed him, had called him he had blown him off, hadn’t answered the phone because he had been having too much of a good time sight seeing with Adie in Sydney. So he wasn’t at all surprised when there was only a handful of spam emails and one from Chris, why would Aaron email him back when Nick hadn’t even been bothered about answering his phone? He looked at the clock and tried to calculate the time difference but it would be late night in America and deep down he knew Aaron wouldn’t answer anyway.

He clicked aimlessly on a few sights, checked out what the fans were saying about the shows on LD and then logged in to his Myspace, it had been a while since he had posted anything maybe that would take his mind off his family problems and kill some time while he waited for Adie to finish up in the bathroom.

He bought up his webcam application and moved the apple mac laptop so that he could see himself on the screen, moving his hand through his hair to spike it up a bit before he clicked on the record button.

“Hello everyone I’m back, in black… actually I’m in white I’m in a robe at the moment…” he waffled just as he usually did on his myspace videos. It amazed him how some of his fans thought they were planned out hours before hand when they were usually spur of the moment things, just as this one had been, he had no clue about what he was going to say. “… and I’m in one my favourite places in the entire world and that’s Melbourne. Been in Australia for the past uh three days did some amazing nights in uh Sydney in Brisbane lot of people showed up want to thank you guys for coming, if you didn’t you missed an amazing show. Also everyone in Tokyo want to thank you guys for coming two nights at the Tokyo dome uh it was amazing erm were still on tour I’m with the boys at the moment,” he continued trying to think of something else to say when she made her way out of the bathroom wrapped only in a towel.

“Check this out look at this….” he said turning his gaze from her and back to what he was doing, leaning over to press the control to move the blinds up. It didn’t work as he had planned, the blinds moving up only slightly each time until she took over and kept her finger on the button. “Argh there we go that’s the effect I was looking for. This is beautiful Melbourne, Melbourne, Mel…bourne if I was in Texas I would be saying I’m for Melbourne, speaking of Texas just want to give a little shout out to by brother love you man you’ll make it through. If you look around that’s Melbourne,” he said moving the laptop so that the future viewers would be able to see the lake scenery just outside his window, “so anyway yeah come and check us out were having a blast. So yeah keep it…keep doing whatever it is you do and uh vote for the right person,” he said with a chuckle as he hit the stop record button.

“Myspace?” She asked as she unwrapped her wet hair from the towel it had been in, roughly drying it so it wouldn’t drip down her back.

“Yep,” he said as he logged off before making his way behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist leaning in to place kisses along her shoulder making her smile warmly at his touch.

“You need to shower,” she prompted.

“Why?” He asked as his hands gently travelled up to the top of her towel so he could start to undo it but she was quicker and pushed him away.

“Because you promised we could do some sightseeing,” she reminded.

“Sightseeing is better then staying in and having amazing sex?” He questioned giving in when she began to pout. “Fine, fine, are you going to order some breakfast?” He asked as he made his way into the bathroom.

“Yeah.”

***

He laughed at her expression, she was so child like and had been pleased so easily today it was unbelievable. She had told him before the tour started that when they went to Melbourne she wanted to visit Philip Island so she could see the penguins, seals, koalas and kangaroos because she had been disappointed when they had been in Melbourne before but did not have the time to visit. Of course he had quickly organised it but he hadn’t told her that, instead playing it off that the tour had been fully booked and that no matter how hard he had tried he just hadn’t been able to get tickets and like a fool she had fallen for it.

So when they turned up there today she had been a little surprised and had squealed in excitement before smacking him playfully in the arm for his secret keeping. Squealing in delight and awing seemed to be her noise for the day.

“Look, look,” she said grabbing at his arm pointing at the small baby penguin in between all the big ones. “He’s so cute he looks just like Cody Maverick,” she said with a chuckle.

“Cody who?” he asked confused as he took a few pictures.

“Cody Maverick, only the coolest surfer penguin ever, he won the Big Z memorial surf off on Pen Gu Island,” she informed him rolling her eyes is if he was a loser for not knowing.

“Are you feeling okay?” he laughed.

“Have you never watched Surfs up?” She asked taking his hand in hers as they walked along a bit further her eyes growing big when he shook his head no. “It’s the coolest film ever, way better then happy feet. You’d love it, it’s about this penguin who surfs but all his friends and like the whole community think he is crazy so he goes off to try and win his huge championship else where but the waves are so much more brutal and the competition is really steep. Why are you laughing at me?” She asked when she realised he was in creases.

“Cause you’re just so funny. When the hell have you seen this film? Please tell me you didn’t go to the movies to see it.”

“I saw it at work,” she told him coming to a stand still again so she could look out at the animals diving into the water below.

“At work? God you make me believe that it’s really tough and you never get a chance to sit down because you are too busy saving all these lives when really all you do is watch kids films?” He joked.

“That’s the beauty of being a peads nurse, kids love cartoons,” she explained making him laugh. “Ohh look seals,” she exclaimed grabbing his arm and pointing again making an elderly couple laugh at her excitement.

“I apologise for my girlfriend,” he joked but she was to engrossed in the seals to care.

“It’s nice to see a young couple out enjoying yourselves like this, reminded my wife of how we used to be,” The elderly gentleman told him with a wistful smile which Nick mirrored back politely. Would that be him and Adie fifty years down the line? Would they still be together? In all honesty he didn’t know with the ways things were right now he had a feeling that they wouldn’t be. He didn’t want that to happen because he knew she was the one he was meant to be with, even if she didn’t see that, didn’t believe him when he told her, he knew. There just had to be someway of getting the message to her without proposing or starting a family though, he just had to think of it.

***

The day was fastly coming to an end and what better way was there to end her trip then with a dinner before they had to head to the airport? Well that was if she ever made it out of the bathroom. They only had half an hour until the restaurant was due to depart and she still had to get dressed.

“Adie, come on we’re going to be late,” he called to her as he buttoned up his shirt.

“Alright, I’m almost ready,” she said as she opened the door to the bathroom and walked out in her underwear quickly grabbing her black Gina print halter dress from the hanger and pulling it over her head. “Zip me up?” She asked turning her back to him and he obliged, carefully tugging the zip up her body. She turned in his arms wrapping her arms around his neck before reaching up to steal a quick kiss.

“You look gorgeous,” he told her when she pulled away and did a quick twirl for him.

“You don’t brush up too bad either,” she joked as she quickly slipped into her stilettos and grabbed her purse, loving how he had the great idea about getting dressed up to go out. They hadn’t done this in so long, there weren’t that many upper class restaurants in Nashville and she preferred to stay in anyway and eat some good home cooking.

He followed her through the door after placing their suitcases near it so when they returned after their meal they could quickly grab them before heading to the airport. He grabbed for her hand as they waited patiently for the elevator and gave it a light squeeze when he felt her thumb gently caress his knuckles.

“Where are we going?” She asked like she had been all day.

“I told you it’s a secret,” he said again making her pout for the millionth time.

“Party pooper,” she whined as the elevator pinged and the doors opened.

“You’ll find out soon enough,” he told her as they stepped in to the compartment.

And find out she did, smiling brightly when she saw they were headed towards the Colonial Tramcar Restaurant that was parked up at the side of the street. She wondered if he would remember and he hadn’t disappointed, in fact everything about today had been perfect, well apart from the impending separation that was. Maybe that’s why he was doing all this, to soften the blow of being separated but then again she was being totally spoiled by all this and by his company so it was actually only going to make it worse. She couldn’t dwell on that now though, she just needed to have a good time tonight and enjoy being with him.

“You’re sly,” she said squeezing his hand as they neared the cart.

“I know,” he said cockily waggling his eyebrows at her making her laugh.

“Sir, Madam your table awaits,” the Maitre d' gestured as he offered a hand to Adie so she could climb aboard. She smiled a thanks and took her seat waiting for Nick to do the same. She loved the whole idea of this restaurant, not only did it serve amazing food but you also got to see the city of Melbourne right from your table as the tram wound its way all through the city at night.

He had bought her here on her first trip to Melbourne after hearing Kevin rave about it. It was on this tram at this very table where she had learnt so much more about him, learnt how he made his way in the band, heard all the crazy stories about life on the road, about how he was happy that the band were once again back together. Normally a guy monopolising the conversation would not have been her idea of a good time, in fact it would have left her feeling damn right bored and pissed off but with him it had been different, she had wanted him to carry on talking even when he realised that he was conversation hogging and started asking about her. He wasn’t like the others, he showed an interest in her as well, asked about her job, listened to all her gruesome stories probing her for more when she thought she had totally grossed him out. The best part of that night though was just one small sentence right at the end of the meal, one that she would never forget.

***

February 2006

“…So of course I ask this guy how he got a deodorant can stuck up his ass and he is completely honest with me and basically tells me that he wanted to try anal with his girlfriend and she would only do it if he shoved something up his own butt first, well I couldn’t keep a straight face and ended up almost peeing my pants with laughter…and I have just totally grossed you out haven’t I?” She asked when she realised how he was looking at her, twirling his fork around his plate.

“No you haven’t it’s quite funny, I just realised something that’s all,” he shrugged casting his gaze back down to his dinner plate.

“What?” she asked the curiosity getting the better of her, even after being with him for seven months she still found it incredibly difficult to read him.

“I…I should have told you this a long time ago…” he hesitated.

“You like to shove deodorant cans up your ass?” She deadpanned making him laugh as she took a mouthful of her desert.

“No I can safely say I really don’t. I uh… I’m in love with you Adrianna,” he said shyly almost a whisper. Well she hadn’t been expecting that at all, and had ended up chocking on the mouthful of chocolate tart currently half chewed in her mouth. So there she was chocking and spluttering all over him as he tried vainly to help her remove the lodged piece of food by slapping her on the back, with all the other diners looking at her red face some jumping up to offer assistance, it wasn’t very romantic. Eventually she recovered and was able to swallow her mouthful.

“Are you okay?” He asked concerned as he hovered at her side.

“Fine,” she meekly said the blush creeping into her cheeks as the other diners all started to slowly turn back to their meals, him returning to his seat.

“I wasn’t really expecting that reaction, I’ve never had anyone choke on me when I’ve told them…well you know,” he said looking away from her.

She smiled warmly as she gently pushed her hand across the table to reach for his intertwining their fingers when contact was made. The feeling made him look to her expectantly and a small smile spread across his lips when she whispered, “I love you too,” to him.


***

She saw him smirk as their plates were delivered to the table and became very suspicious, “What?”

“Nothing,” he shrugged as he took his fork and began to tuck into his white chocolate and passion fruit parfait. She eyed him for a few second before tucking into her own pudding. “I love you, don’t choke,” he added quickly through a mouthful of his own pudding and she laughed along with him as she uneventfully chewed and swallowed the rest of her mouthful.

“Goon. So you do remember,” she said.

“Course I remember,” he said throwing her a semi hurt look.

“Most guys wouldn’t,” she tried to explain taking another bite of her own delicious chocolate mousse dome with a mango centre.

“Is it nice?” he asked hinting that he wanted to try some, she nodded enthusiastically plunging her spoon back in to the centre of the plate and offering him what was on the spoon when she pulled it back. He accepted her offering savouring the taste and making yummy noises in appreciation when he was done.

“You know this sharing thing goes both ways,” she reminded when he made no attempt to let her try his.

“You wouldn’t like this,” he tried as he offered her the spoon. His too was equally delicious and they managed to plaster off the rest of their puddings without any more words. The plates were soon cleared but they both knew that had at least half an hour before the tour would be coming to a stop and so ordered another drink each and got lost in conversation.

“Are you back at work tomorrow?” he asked as he poured her another glass of wine.

“No I’ve got two days then I’m on nights so my body clock is going to be screwed,” she groaned making him laugh. “I’ve got an interview next week as well,” she informed him.

“An interview? What for?” He asked surprised.

“You know a while back I said that they were going to move all the Paeds stuff to one hospital instead of it being spread across three sites?” She asked and he nodded, “Well they decided that there is more room at the General and everything is going to be moving there so they are going to have a Paeds cardiology unit which means they are going to be doing cardiac surgery. So there is going to be a PICU that cares for kids following the surgery as well as other stuff like trauma and nuero surgery and sepsis and stuff,” she explained.

“So it’s a job for PICU?” he asked.

“Yeah. I love cardiac stuff I mean I worked on the cardiac intensive care unit at GOS.”

“GOS?” He asked confused at her abbreviation just like he usually always did when she spoke about anything work related.

“Great Ormond Street. I wanted to carry on with that area of work when I came back but it was all at St Thomas’s which is just too much of a commute but now it’s going to be at the general it makes sense.”

“Go for it babe,” he encouraged.

“Thing is they’ve already got enough nurses for my experience level and so it means its going to be a promotion which is kind of scary.”

“Why?”

“Because it means being in charge, delegating, decision making and PICU is a lot scarier then the ER,” she admitted.

“Adie you’d be fine, you know what your doing, you boggle me with how much knowledge you have and how clever you are,” he complimented making her blush.

“I’m not that clever,” she mumbled.

“Yeah you are,” he said nodding his head. “Trouble with you is that you put yourself down too much. Go for it, you have past experience in that area, you trained at one best children’s hospitals in the world, you work in a busy ER, they’d be crazy not to have you. And if for some stupid reason they turn you down what have you lost? You’ll have the experience for next time.”

“You’re right,” she agreed taking a sip from her wine. “So how are you feeling without having Kevin around? Is it as weird as you thought?”

“No not really. I mean yeah I still expect him to rag on my ass when I turn up late but Howie’s kind of taken over that role, and there is always Jen to play practical jokes on so…” he joked but she could tell it was bothering him, his humour a way of deflecting that.

“It’s okay to miss him though. Have you talked to him recently?” She asked knowing that he had probably been putting it off, just like he had done after Kevin had discussed his decision with the guys and just after Mason had been born.

“No I guess I should really.”

“I’m sure he would be happy to hear from you, oh did you get through to Aaron?” She asked remembering about his brother.

“No he wasn’t answering his phone and he hasn’t replied to my email, he is still probably pissed,” he sighed.

“Or embarrassed,” she tried. “I mean when Rachel had her little run in with the law she tried avoiding me for a few days, of course it didn’t really work well considering she was crashing on my couch while she was visiting but it didn’t stop her from trying.”

“I should have answered my phone.”

“You can’t be there all the time Nick,” she offered.

“I wasn’t there at all though, I hardly have been. He sounded so scared and lost on the phone Adie and I ignored his call,” he said his tone sad.

“But maybe it was a good thing that you didn’t answer Nick, hear me out okay?” she said when she saw the look on his face, “ How many times have you bailed him out in the past? Been there for him to fall back on to? What I’m saying is we all fuck up and sometimes as hard as it is we have to get through things by ourselves because it makes us learn and grow up and become self reliant. Maybe this is what he needs.”

“Kind like tough love?” He asked.

“Absolutely. Angel said he was at your Dad’s when she called didn’t she?”

“Yeah.”

“There you go then, he’s not totally by himself. He’ll call when he’s ready Nick, don’t beat yourself up about this.”

***

She would not cry, not again, she needed to get used to this and it wasn’t forever. He was already checked in and now they were doing the same for her, him lifting her case onto the scale as she handed the desk clerk her passport. He smiled as he looked from her to her passport before handing it back along with her boarding pass. Once they made it through the security check point they sat in the departure lounge waiting for the gate there planes would be waiting at to be displayed.

“Call me when you land,” Nick told her.

“You might be asleep,” she replied as she rested her head against his shoulder.

“Doesn’t matter. You have the rest of the itinerary right? All the numbers you can contact me on?”

“Yep on the fridge and in my diary. You’ll be back on the eighteenth? Are you going to call and let me know what time you land?”

“Yeah I will, your flights up,” he said motioning towards the screen.

“It’s not boarding yet though,” she pointed out sighing when that section too started to flash.

“Is now,” he mumbled as he stood pulling her up and into his arms so he could hold her. She snuggled into his arms, sniffing his scent, sniffing back her tears before she pulled away far enough so she could reach up and kiss him, weaving her hands through his hair as he deepened the kiss. She pulled back with a hearty sigh and threw him a crooked smile.

“Don’t get into too much trouble here all by yourself,” she warned.

“Knowing me I’ll be so bored I’ll fall asleep and miss my flight,” he joked.

“I love you, see you soon,” she said giving him another peck before pulling completely away from him.

“Love you too, call me when you land.”
End Notes:
Thanks for all your encouraging reviews, let me know what you think!
Revelations of the heart... by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

Nick admits to Brian that he thinks Adie is the one
One am Nashville meant it would be two pm China finally there was one perk about working the graveyard shift she realised. So she eagerly made her way to the break room, poured herself a cup of coffee and fished her I Phone out of her pants pocket, hitting one on the speed dial and then she sat patiently, waiting for the call to connect.

“Hey Sexy,” he whispered huskily when he answered making her melt at just the sound of his voice.

“Hi baby. God it’s so good to hear your voice,” she said finding herself tearing up.

“What’s wrong?” He asked concerned.

“Just had a bad day that’s all and I miss you,” she admitted calming down enough so she wouldn’t cry.

“I miss you too, loads and loads. You want to talk about your day? Anyway weren’t you sleeping for most of it I thought you were on nights?” He asked once again confused.

She chuckled before answering, “Yep I’m stuck in the hell hole that is the graveyard shift on a Friday night. I uh…I didn’t get the job,” she told him with a solemn sigh.

“Oh baby so you’re disappointed huh? Did they say why?” He asked.

“There’s a women with more experience in running the unit, she used to do it in Toronto so naturally they went with her,” she said pulling her feet out of her comfy blue croqs and placing them on the coffee table as she made herself more comfortable.

“Just try again next time,” he told her.

“Yeah,” she agreed half heartedly. “How’s your day been?”

“Okay, we’re just heading out to sound check in about an hour just got done with lunch, boring run of the mill stuff,” he told her. “Is it a busy night?”

“Not yet but I’m sure it will pick up shortly,” she said eyeing the clock above the doorway, give it another hour and it would be heaving with all the drunken revellers getting into fights as they exited the clubs. God just thinking about it was giving her a headache.

“Yeah I bet.”

“Adie? Major trauma heading in ETA three minutes,” Helen said sticking her head through the door.

“Got to go?” Nick asked obviously over hearing.

“Yeah. I’ll try and call you later. I love you,” she said blowing him a kiss down the phone as she quickly put her feet back in her shoes and made her way towards the break room door.

“Love you to now go and save some lives,” he said making her smile as he hung up and left her to get back to work.

***

He hung up the phone just as Brian made his way in, his cheery demeanour making Nick inwardly scowl, this was a lot harder then he thought it was going to be.

“You want to play some tennis?” Brian asked making Nick raise his eyebrow to his friend, tennis rackets weren’t usually high on the list of things when touring, in fact Nick couldn’t remember a time he had ever seen a tennis racket on tour. Obviously sensing this confusion Brian picked up the Wii control and waved it at him.

“Not really in the mood,” he shrugged.

“How about some sonic the hedgehog?” Brian tried again and Nick relented knowing that this was Brian’s way of trying to spend some time with him, one on one just like the old days. It was a rare occurrence now, for two people who had once been so close, who had literally been each others shadows they had really drifted apart, and the more Nick thought about it the more he realised how much closer he was to Alex and Howie rather then Brian. Thinking about that made him sad, Brian and he had once shared such a close bond, Nick truly felt as though he was a brother but things had all changed when Leighanne had turned up.

Nick had been resentful at first, damn right hurt that he had been so easily replaced and this frustration had been taken out on Leighanne, he wouldn’t acknowledge her, would shoot her filthy looks when he knew no one else was looking, he was trying to push her away, make her feel unwelcome and uncomfortable. It had back fired big style, pushing her further into Brian’s arms, alienating Nick more and more when he would complain about her “annoying” habits to the others. He was basically told to grow up and deal, that he was being a spoilt child and maybe he was but deep down he was only acting out because once again something that was his, his one true best friend had been taken from him and he felt just like he had back in school, alone.

Of course he never told anyone this, kept it completely to himself just like he did so other many things and of course to others it just made him seem like he was being a brat. Things had only gotten worse throughout the black and blue tour and then they hadn’t spoken at all when Nick had decided to pursue the solo album. Kevin had been the one to mediate when it was clear there had been a major breakdown in communication but things hadn’t been the same on the Never Gone tour, Brian spending all of his time with Leighanne and Baylee, Nick out partying hard with Howie. In fact it was only when Kevin decided to quit that they had truly spoken properly about how they both felt.

It had been the penultimate night of the never gone tour, they had been in Australia and had bumped into each other in the bar in the wee hours of the morning, insomnia claming both of them.

“Can’t sleep either?” Brian asked as he sat across from Nick who was swirling the brown liquid around in his glass, his eyes heavy like his heart.

“No. I just don’t understand why he has to leave, things are just picking up again, it feels almost like it did at the start and he drops this on us, he’s being selfish,” Nick whined as Brian sat down.

“No he’s not,” Brian defended. “One day you’ll understand Nick.”

“Understand what?” He huffed knocking the drink back, wincing as it burnt his throat on the journey to his stomach.

“That there is a lot more to life then all of this.”

“This is all I know Bri, all I ever have known since I was twelve so I’m sorry if I’m apparently not seeing the big picture here,” he bitterly said making Brian sigh.

“You know what this is exactly how I felt when you wanted to do your solo stuff. I didn’t understand that it was something you had to do, I didn’t get why you couldn’t just have a break like the rest of us. Everyone is different Nick, it’s those differences that make us who we are, we all have different aspirations and we are all at different stages in our lives, you might not understand now but maybe down the line when you get married, or want to start a family-”

“Yeah like that’s ever going to happen, why would I repeat the same mistakes my parents did?” He said again making Brian sigh mainly in worry for his friend.

“You might not want it now but in a few years-” he tried.

“I’m not like you and Kevin and Howie for that matter. My family life sucked but I have learnt from their mistakes.”

“You’re going to miss out on a hell of a lot then Nick. You need to get past this,” Brian told him bluntly.

“Don’t tell me what I need,” he nearly slurred the past four drinks catching up with him.

“I’m trying to help you, I’m worried about you Frack I’ve been worried about you for quite a while now,” he admitted softly his eyes supporting his speech.

“I’m fine,” Nick said brushing the comment off looking away from Brian when his stare became too intense.

“Look I was an ass with the whole solo thing and it wasn’t fair of me to get angry at you and expect you to hang around and wait until I was ready to get back in to the studio. I know that now. You know at the time I was so focused on being a Dad and getting to live out another one of my dreams that I was to blind to see that you were still young, that the solo album was kind of like your baby and one of your dreams.”

“Crappy dream though wasn’t it,” he mumbled placing the glace he had been twirling in his hands down on the oak coffee table between them.

“Look if you are going to sit here and throw a pity party you can throw it for one,” Brian said making a move to stand and leave Nick in his bad mood, he didn’t expect Nick to stop him.

“No…wait-” he pleaded making Brian sit back down. Nick didn’t say anything for a long time, or rather the words didn’t come out for the longest time even though Brian could see he was trying. The blonde had always had trouble verbalising how he felt, he found it difficult to trust people, didn’t like to get too close in fear of being hurt and whether he wanted to admit it or not Brian had hurt Nick. “Everything’s changing Rok,” he mumbled quietly.

“That’s just life Kaos,” he replied even managing to get a small smile out of his friend when he called him by his nickname.

“I don’t like change.”

“Yeah we all KNOW that. This was a tough decision for him you know and you avoiding him isn’t helping,” he informed.

“Adie already told me that. She said that I should enjoy the rest of the tour I have with him because he won’t be on the next one, there will be another one won’t there Bri? This isn’t it is it?” He asked quietly almost as if he were afraid to utter the words and that’s when Brian realised what this was all really about.

“Even if it’s just you and me Nicky there will still be a tour, I promise,” he meant it too.


An hour later and Brian was pumping his hand in the air in victory at winning another race over Nick who was scowling as he threw the controller down in frustration.

“Even with less time to practice I can still beat your ass!” Brian chided playfully.

“Whatever Littrell,” Nick mumbled as he fell to the couch and pulled out his sidekick contemplating calling Adie back but when he calculated the time difference he knew she would be to busy, after all it would be nearly two am in Nashville, and two am on a Friday, well now Saturday, spelt craziness in the ER.

“I don’t think she would be too impressed if you woke her now,” Brian said taking a seat next to Nick.

“She’s working anyway,” Nick told him.

“Call her then,” Brian prompted.

“Nah. She’ll be too busy to talk now, she probably be covered in puke or something, that’s usually what I’m told when I call her at work either that or that she had her hands inside someone’s chest and can’t get to the phone,” he said scrunching up his nose in distain, Brian doing the same.

“Thanks for sharing.”

“You should hear some of the stuff she tells me. It’s gross man I don’t know how she does it,” he said shaking his head.

“She’s got a good heart and quite clearly a strong stomach,” Brian joked making Nick laugh. “She still working in the ER?”

“Yeah she had an interview for something to do with cardiac surgery, like the after care but she didn’t get it.”

“Aww man bet that sucked. I didn’t know she was interested in Cardiology could be useful to talk to her for the foundation,” Brian said mainly to himself, filing it away for later.

“Yeah that’s where she originally worked in England but it was to far to travel in Nashville, they moved it to where she is now though. It would have been great, she would have enjoyed it and I wouldn’t hate her going to work,” he said as he grabbed for his water bottle.

“Why do you hate her going to work?” Brian asked confused.

“Because she is dealing with so many psychos, the amount of bruises she’s come with are unbelievable but she just shrugs it off like its nothing. It’s caused way too many fights. Why are you laughing?” He asked indigently.

“Because I never thought I would see you like this,” Brian said.

“Like what?”

“Love sick, smitten.”

“What because I don’t like seeing her get hurt?” Nick asked.

“Yeah but there is other stuff too. You show an interest in her when you were talking to Leighanne earlier you said on more then one occasion, Adie likes that, or Adie has those. Adie’s been there she said it was great, Adie said that this kept her patient occupied and quiet maybe Baylee would like it.”

“You were the same with Leighanne,” he scoffed folding his arms across his chest.

“I’m not saying it’s a bad thing Nick, I think she’s good for you so don’t mess it up.”
“Why would I mess it up?” He asked his voice increasing by a decibel.

“How many times have you been separated from a girl on tour in the past? What’s the first thing you do when you’re lonely?” Brian asked raising his eyebrow.

“That was in the past. I’ve changed you know, I’m not who I was back then, hell I’m not who I was three years ago when I meet her. I think she’s the one Bri.”

“You think?” He asked sceptically, “Or you know?”

Nick rolled his eyes, looking away as he quietly admitted, “I know.”

***

Nick nodded his head along to the beat, his eyes closed as he concentrated on how he could make the work better, this programme was the best gift she could have gotten him, every time he used it he drifted off into his own world, totally oblivious to what was going on around him. Maybe that’s why he jumped so badly and nearly yelled when someone patted his shoulder.

He turned his head quickly and caught Howie hysterically laughing at him, trying to be quiet so he wouldn’t wake up the rest of the occupants on the tour bus.

“Are you trying to kill me?” Nick asked as he whipped the headphones from his ears.

“I wasn’t trying, if it happens its just a bonus,” he joked as he grabbed some water from the small fridge, “Want some?”

“Nah I’m good.”

“Can’t sleep?” Howie asked.

“Yeah,” Nick yawned as Howie sat down on the couch across from him.

“What you working on?” He asked being nosey as he always was.

“Just something for Adie’s birthday. Did you…when you…never mind,” Nick said quickly trying to replace his headphones before Howie could say anything. Ever since his admission to Brian he had never been more confused, it was almost like he confessed it to himself for the very first time. She was the one, he knew that, if he was totally honest with himself he had known for a long time, since he had first told her he loved her in Melbourne. She was special, she loved him for him, she knew the real him and he knew that when his stardom faded, that when all of this was over, she would still be there for him. So why couldn’t he show her how much he loved her? Well he could but not in the way that she wanted, he couldn’t commit to her fully but then hadn’t Howie been in the same predicament? After all he and Leigh had been dating a hell of a lot longer before he proposed and he never saw Leigh ragging on his ass about it.

“What? You looked like you needed to ask something important,” Howie prompted.

“Did you know that Leigh was the one? Like right away?” He asked.

Howie thought for a moment before saying, “No I don’t believe people who say they do, there is so much that you need to know about a person before you know you can spend the rest of your lives together.”

“When did you know?”

“I don’t know when it happened, I just did, like I woke up one morning and I knew I couldn’t be without her and you are so going to take the piss out of my now I’ve said that aren’t you?” He said taking a sip of his water.

“It may be used against you,” Nick agreed, “Why did it take you so long to ask her to marry you then, if you knew she was the one?”

“I…are you going to ask Adie?” Howie asked a smirk crossing his face.

“No!” he said quickly shaking his head, god no he wasn’t going to do that.

“That’s the problem isn’t it? She wants it and you don’t?”

“Yeah,” he admitted, “Am I being totally stupid over this?”

“If you are not ready Nick then you’re not ready, Leigh and I were together for six years before I proposed.”

“Leigh wasn’t ragging on your ass about lack of commitment though was she?” He said.

“Yeah she was, she was always on my case about it like I’m guessing Adie is. Just explain to her why you can’t right now,” he offered but Nick knew it wasn’t that simple.

“I don’t know if I ever will be ready, I can’t just keep stalling her Howie if this is something that’s a huge deal for her…what if she decides to leave if I don’t ask?”

“Then I would say she is being totally unfair, if she is going to give you an ultimatum do you really want to be with her?”

“I just…I don’t know what I can do to make this better. She’s drifting away from me, I can feel it you know, we’re not as close as we used to be, she’s distant and she’s only acting happy I can’t remember the last time I saw a genuine smile from her. I don’t know what I can do to show her that I love her and I do want to be with her,” He admitted.

“Get her a ring,” Howie offered making Nick scowl, hadn’t his friend just heard what he had said? He couldn’t get married right now.
“I just-” he tried but Howie cut in quickly.

“Let me finish. I wasn’t talking about an engagement ring I was talking about a promise ring or an eternity ring. That might be enough for her to show her that you do want to be with her forever but right now you just can’t get married.”
































End Notes:
Thanks for the reviews please keep them coming!
Denial by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

Nick asks for advice on what to get Adie for her Birthday
Howie always had the best ideas. It seemed like the perfect solution to Nick, for now at least and he had quickly emailed Jacob Arabov knowing that he wouldn’t steer him wrong, after all he had designed pieces for JLO, Wyclef, and had made Nick’s chain. Jacob had swiftly replied with a phone call to Nick and the two had had a long conversation about what the ring was supposed to represent, he understood that Nick wanted the ring to be special, to have diamonds but he did not want it to represent an engagement ring. Of course it caused a few glitches, the preliminary designs Jacob had thought of being thrown out of the window because of that reason but finally after two more phone calls and numerous emails the ring was complete.

It was Jacob’s interpretation of Picasso's iconic symbol for love. The two hearts woven together in the Platinum band supposed to signify his heart with hers, the cluster of diamonds holding both hearts together. He just hoped that she would like it.

“What’s that?” Rachel asked as she plonked herself down next to him glancing at the screen of his laptop, making her own conclusions quickly. “Oh my God you’re going to ask aren’t you? Oh yay she’ll be so excited, Oh Nicky this is great… and I’m totally wrong… aren’t I?” She realised when she saw Nick’s panicked face.

“Kinda,” He mumbled noticing how red she turned at his confession.

“So what is it?” She asked confused.

“It’s for her birthday, it’s a promise ring,” he embellished handing her the laptop so she could get a good look.

“It’s beautiful, so can I ask what the promise is?” She asked as she handed the computer back to him, getting comfortable in her seat rolling her eyes when he shrugged at her. “Nickolas I really despair at you sometimes, you can’t give her a promise ring and not know what you are promising her. Is it a promise to marry her one day or…”

“I can’t marry her Rach. Not in the near future anyway so I guess I can’t tell her it’s a promise for that. So…I don’t know I guess I’m promising that I’ll always love her and that she is the person I want to be with. God do you think this is the corniest idea ever?” He said blushing.

“No I think it’s sweet and really thoughtful so what else did you get her?” She asked.

“What else?! This cost me nearly seven,” he told her making her almost choke on the drink she was taking a sip from.

“As in hundred or thousand?” She asked wide eyed.

“Thousand. What? it’s a Jacob Arabov original in platinum with diamonds, that doesn’t come cheap.”

“I hate to think what you would spend if you do ever decide to get engaged.”

“Not as much as Alex did,” he mumbled but she heard.

“Why? How much DID he spend?” She asked looking down to her own engagement ring.

“Nothing never mind…He would kill me Rach,” he said when she frowned at his secretive nature. “Just don’t loose it okay.”

“Oh god now I so will. So what is the plan for her birthday? Are we going out, staying in?” she asked.

“Whatever she wants to do. I think she said something about dinner at your Folks place and then going out after, Angel is flying in, she’s collecting the ring for me I don’t know about Aaron.”

“Still not heard from him?” Rach asked.

“Briefly but the reception was crap. I’m sure we’ll catch up at some point,” he shrugged. “How long are you guys staying in Nashville for?”

“Week. Alex is going on about buying a place for when we visit. I’ve told him we can stay at my parents place, and you and Adie have room, what? you do,” she said when he rolled her eyes at her comment.

“I was just playing,” he laughed.

“He’s adamant that when the baby is born that we will probably spend more time in Nashville, you know like split our time between Nashville and Florida so that my folks get to see the baby as much as Denise does. He keeps telling me that Grandparents are really important.”

“He was really close to his, they helped to raise him,” Nick told her.

“I know that, that’s why I’ve given up with arguing about it. I still feel that there is so much I don’t know about him, like every now and then he’ll show a piece of him I didn’t know was there and that explains why he is like he is. It’s frustrating and nice all at once because I want to know everything, I want him to open up but it’s just too much for him to do it in one large burst,” she told him.

“Why are you telling me this?” Nick asked cautiously.

“Maybe…She’s not going to think any less of you Nick. No matter what you’ve been through or done it’s in the past, it’s made you into the person she loves. Open up to her a bit,” she said softly, lightly stroking his arm.

He couldn’t, he just couldn’t go there, it was too damn hard, the memories were just to damn painful, he had buried them long ago all he needed to do was forget about them, if he forgot then they couldn’t hurt him. In his naivety he didn’t realise that trying to forget, that running away would not solve anything, running from your problems only meant that they would eventually catch up with you.

***

She clicked the few buttons of her phone without even looking and then quickly bought it to her ear, groaning in frustration when it went straight back into his voice mail yet again. Two hours she had been waiting, she knew it had been a mistake to say she would pick him up after a shift, she was shattered, cranky and smelly and yet instead of being at home, in a tub surrounded by millions of bubbles with a huge glass of wine in hand, she was stuck there. In a brightly lit, busy airport arrivals lounge, a cup of watered down crap for coffee, with nothing to keep her occupied but her cell phone but the battery was soon going to die if the alert photo was anything to go by.

She was so tempted to leave him a voicemail, to tell him that she had waited around long enough and was heading home, that there were plenty of cabs that the three of them could share. She wouldn’t though, no matter how pissed off at waiting she was, it wasn’t his fault, he couldn’t control the weather, it wasn’t his fault that God had decided to let the torrential downpour occur over the airport add that to the fact that she had missed him like crazy.

She looked back up at the arrivals board but his flight was still flashing delayed and so she decided to get up and walk around for a bit, turning in surprise when she heard a familiar voice.

“What are you doing here?” She asked happily when she spotted Angel walking towards her with her suitcase.

“Typical of Nick to not tell you I was coming,” She said wrapping her arms around Adie in a hug.

“Why would you think anything different?” She joked back giving Angel a quickly squeeze before she let go. “You want a coffee?” She asked and Angel nodded as they headed over to the small booth.

“He still not in yet?” She asked.

“Shouldn’t be too long now, I mean the storm stopped half and hour ago.”

“Nick is probably crapping his pants now,” Angel laughed, smiling a hello to the vendor when they reached their destination.

“Rachel will have shoved a few diazepam down his neck by now. Vanilla latte right?” Adie asked and Angel nodded. “Two skinny lattes, one vanilla, one almond please,” she ordered. “So how have you been?”

“Good. Really good I just got a contract to be in the new campaign for Abercrombie and Fitch, it’s for their fall collection,” she said as they waited.

“Really? Well done so when I go to the mall and see a huge you in the window I can be all like hey I know her! Do you get discount? I love Abercrombie and Fitch for sweaters in the winter,” she said, smiling a thanks to the vendor when she was handed the coffees.

“I doubt it, my friend Neecee works for them in New York though so I can get you discount through her. How’ve you been?” She asked as they strolled back to the tables.

“Yeah okay. Works been crazy and although I hate to admit it I have been missing your brother like crazy. Don’t tell him that though!” She warned.

“He’ll have missed you too. He’s back for a few weeks now though isn’t he?”

“Just under three,” she smiled before taking a sip of her coffee, hoping that this would keep her awake enough for the long drive home.

“Did you enjoy Australia?” Angel asked as she added some sugar to her coffee.

“Loved it. I did the last time we went though, it’s just…it’s really chilled but you’re in a big city but people are so laid back and Nick was really chilled out, I think it was because he was by the water, and it was warm and he was enjoying the vibe at the concerts.”

“He sounds really happy at the moment well apart from when you talk about Aaron,” she grimaced.

“Yeah. He felt guilty for not answering his phone when Aaron called, I told him he shouldn’t have but you know Nick,” she shrugged.

“Yeah I know how he is, always feels like he has to protect us, sort out our problems. I think it did Aaron good though, I mean it’s like you said he needed something to shock some sense into him, to prove to him that he’s not invincible. He hasn’t been partying since, well he hasn’t gotten drunk since, he’s always been the designated driver, he’s working on his music, he’s getting more serious with Sage.”

“Sage? As in the herb? Has that replaced the wacky backy?” Adie asked slightly confused.

Angel burst into fits of laughter before asking, “What is wacky backy?”

“Wacky backy, you know a bit of puff, marijuana?”

“Where did you come up with those names for it?” Angel asked still laughing.

“You seem to forget when I was into all that crazy stuff I was in London. Tobacco is known as backy, wacky backy,” She shrugged.

“I love it I am so calling it that from now on, oh… no I’m not smoking it,” she said quickly when Adie raised a questionable brow to her.

“Good to hear it. So who is this Sage then?” She asked trying not to snigger at the name.

“I know, the name totally random right? Makes her sound like this stuck up bitch from the hills or something but she’s really not. She’s really nice, grounded, doesn’t take any shit from him and as an added bonus I actually like her.”

“Did you like me the first time you met me?” Adie asked.

“No I still don’t,” Angel joked making Adie laugh. Everybody took her totally the wrong way, thought that she was stuck up, pretentious, a bitch it was all an act because she was the sweetest and most caring of the Carter girls. Trouble was she put on this bitchy front as a way to protect herself, but then again all of the Carters had these masks and they knew how to use them well.

“Well I think you’re a bitch,” Adie retaliated throwing the empty sugar packet at her playfully.

“I’m not a bitch, I’m thee bitch!” She said snapping her fingers making Adie laugh and smile widely when she saw who was walking up behind her.

“No one is arguing with that!” Nick said loudly making his sister turn around quickly and shriek.

“Nickel!” She said excitedly standing up so she could throw her arms around her big brother.

“Angel!” He mimicked hugging her back, rubbing his shoulder when she pulled away from him and smacked him, “What was that for?” He asked.

“For not telling Adie I was coming.”

“I did…didn’t I?” He asked looking over to his girlfriend.

“Nope you didn’t,” she told him, also getting up so she could make her way to him wrapping her arms around him in a hug. “I’ve missed you.”

“Me too,” he said leaning down to give her a kiss.

***

It felt so good to be home, to be back sharing a bed with her again, to know that he could roll over and she would be next to him but there was that niggling thought that it was only for three weeks and then they would be separated again. He heard her sigh in her sleep as she moved to make herself more comfortable before the pattern of her even breathing started. He watched her sleep for a few minutes before he pulled himself up and out of the bed slowly so not to disturb her, throwing on a pair of sweats before heading out of the door.

He made his way downstairs slowly, only turning on a light when he reached the kitchen so he could navigate the room with ease without tripping over the dog who, as usual, was his shadow after he had been away for so long.

“I know, I know I missed you too,” he said leaning down to pay her some attention, wiping his wet cheek after she licked it. He quietly made his way to the laundry room where he had dumped his luggage as soon as he walked in earlier and retrieved the bag from the inner zip of his suitcase before making his way back to sit on the island in the kitchen.

He pulled out the various items, placing the balloons that still needed to be blown up next to the banners that he would hang as he pulled out her birthday card. The drawings had taken ages, up to the point where he still needed to finish some of the colouring tonight but he knew she would love it and would also be expecting it. He had been giving them to her ever since they first started dating, any type of occasion she would get one, like her birthday, Christmas, valentines day, their anniversary and he knew she looked forward to them. The card set out like a comic strip following the adventures of Nurse Lushtush, a nurse set out to fight crime and save the day with the super power of her pen torch! It only had three frames and only told part of the story but by Christmas she would know the ending to this story and then he would start a new one on valentines day.

It took him just over an hour but once the last frame was coloured, he slipped the card into the envelope and sealed it shut, leaning it against plant pot. Then he went about blowing up the balloons he had bought, almost hitting the ceiling when he heard someone call his name from behind.

“Jesus Christ Angel!”

“Sorry,” She yawned, “What are you doing?” She asked as she made her way to the refrigerator, grabbing some juice.

“What does it look like I’m doing?” he sarcastically asked as he blew up a balloon. She stuck her tongue out at him in retaliation before sitting on the stool next to him.

“Banners? Balloons? Just like Mom used to do for us,” she remembered a small smile playing on her lips, that smile turning into a frown when she saw Nick frown and roll his eyes. “Don’t do that, it wasn’t all bad.”

“Are you talking to her?” He asked as he tried to tie the end of the balloon, failing miserably letting the balloon almost deflate completely in his attempt.

“Kind of. I’ve called a few times and so has she. I mean you’ve forgiven Dad why cant you forgive Mom?” She probed.

“I’m not getting into this now Angel,” he said, his tone even.

“So is this how its going to be forever?” She asked staring him down.

“You’re so hypocritical. You didn’t talk to her for how long? During that time did I ever get on your case about it? Did I ever tell you to get over it, to forgive her and talk to her again?” He asked getting slightly angry.

“I’m not saying that Nick, I’m not saying you should forgive her or talk to her but don’t get angry or have that look on your face when you remember stuff about her, don’t act like there were never good times because there were loads of them,” she told him.

“Yeah well there were more shit times then good though weren’t there?” He chastised.

“You’ve stopped going to therapy haven’t you?” She asked him.

“It’s not like I can go when I’m touring,” he said, it was a huge excuse. He knew that if he asked then Grace would have easily been able to set up and convenient time for both of them to continue their sessions over the phone, hell he had paid her enough. He had stopped going long before though, it had been almost seven months, ever since they had started delving in to the stuff that he had buried so deep, stuff that really hurt, stuff that he wasn’t willing to share with anyone, not a stranger, not his girlfriend, not his siblings and not even the friends he called brothers. It had just been too hard so like always when things got rough, he gave up, quit.

“Why are you doing this?” She asked him.

“Doing what?”

“Running from everything, hiding from it, just because you try not to think about it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen Nick, it doesn’t stop effecting you.”

“What’s the point in dredging up the past again? Isn’t that what you said to Leslie before?” He said challenging her to disagree.

“I did say that, because at the time it hurt to think about it, I was hiding from it but I’ve learnt that talking about it, analysing it with someone else who can maybe put a different spin on things helps. You know you were the one to tell me a problem shared is a problem halved maybe you should take your own advice,” she said to him placing a hand on his arm which he pulled away quickly. “You can’t keep this inside forever Nick.”

“Look it’s late I want to finish this and get to bed okay?” He said ignoring her last comment. “Can you get me the ring so I can wrap it,” He said going back to blowing up the balloons. He watched as she trundled back up the stairs shaking his head at her. Where did she get off offering him advice when she had been more closed off then him a few years ago? She was young, hadn’t been what he had been through, there was no way she could compare her feelings to his, there was no way he was going to bring up all that shit again, rehash it all to others. Everyone else had their own problems that they handled without passing on to others and that was just what he was doing.

“It’s beautiful,” she said handing the box to him.

“You think she’ll like it?” He asked trying to act as if the past ten minutes hadn’t happened.

“Yeah I think she will. You’re not going to give it to her like that though are you?” She asked as he began to place a bow on top of the ring box.

“Why not?” he asked naively.

“Think about it Nick, it’s her birthday you guys have been together a while, you’ve been on tour, you hand her a ring box, add all that up and what do you get?” She asked.

“Proposal,” he sighed. “So how am I supposed to give this to her?”

“Firstly do not just hand her the box. You could tell her that it’s a promise ring before you give it to her so she knows or there is the third option.”

“Which is?” He asked when she trailed off.

“It could pass for an engagement ring, You coul-”

“NO.”

“But-”

“No,” he said shaking his head.

“Why not? She loves you, you love her you’ve been together for three years, you live together…it’s the next logical step.”

“I can’t, I’m not ready,” he said honestly.

“Are you ever going to be ready?” Angel asked.

“I don’t think that really concerns you does it?” he bit back.

She just looked at him for a while, studying him, it was almost as if she was trying to work out what was going on inside his head but she of all people knew that Nick had an amazing poker face and could conceal his emotions easily. She could look for a hundred years and never be able to tell what he was thinking or feeling and the thought made her sad.

“You’re my brother and I care about you and I want you to be happy,” she softly said.

“I am happy,” He answered quickly.

“Maybe, but how long is Adie going to be happy with this? How long is she going to put up with you being closed off? How long is it going to take for you to sabotage this relationship Nick?”

She knew she had gone too far when he scooped up everything in his hands and walked away from her, taking everything up stairs more then likely to his studio. Just like always he shut himself off when someone called him on something, running from his feelings rather then facing them.

One of these days he is going to realise, Angel thought to herself as she drank the rest of her juice.

It just might to too late by that time though.
End Notes:
As Always reviews are not mandatory but welcomed!
Promises, Promises, Promises by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

Nick gets Adie a promise ring for her birthday
He hadn’t slept much after his talk with his sister, instead choosing to sit in the studio and work on a few song ideas in his head. He managed to sneak back downstairs and hang the balloons and banners without bumping into anyone else and was shocked when the clock read five am. It was futile going to bed now, he would only wake up grumpy and he didn’t want to ruin her birthday by doing that so he made some coffee and headed back towards the large studio on the second floor, making a mental note to keep an eye on the clock so he could make her breakfast in bed.

He placed the headphones back to his ears and replayed the track, his head bobbing along to the beat, this kind of sound was definitely what he wanted his solo album to be like, more R’n’B, more pop not the failed attempt at rock like the last one was. He didn’t know what he had been thinking with that, he was quite clearly trying to be something he wasn’t. Yeah he loved rock music but he just was not able to capture that type of market with his “rock” stuff, his fans quite clearly didn’t like that type of music, well they wouldn’t have really been backstreet fans if they did, and to the people who liked the genre he had no credibility, he was the pretty boy-bander who danced instead of head banged. This time round was going to be different, he was going to stick to what he knew and the few songs he did have were already sounding great, he just needed a chance to produce them a bit more and that wasn’t really going to happen anytime soon.

He was so lost in his own world that he didn’t even hear her when she came in and called his name softly so he jumped when she placed her hands on his shoulder.

“Jesus,” he said as he quickly took of his headphones and turned to her.

“Sorry,” She laughed.

“What are you doing up it’s only six,” he said reaching round and wrapping his arm around her waist before bringing her to sit on his lap.

“Shouldn’t I be asking you that question? Since when do you ever get up early?” She said wrapping her arms around his neck looking to the computer screen, “Oh so what Rachel said is true, I’m a logic eight widow.”

“No your not I just couldn’t sleep and I was planning on making you breakfast in bed but you thwarted that plan,” he told her his hands rubbing up and down her thighs.

“Breakfast is overrated, presents are soooooooo much better,” she hinted and he rolled his eyes.

“You’re too old for presents,” he joked wincing when she smacked him hard on the shoulder.

“You are older then me in case you’ve forgotten, now where are my presents?” she said and he just shook his head at her.

“Spoilt brat. Okay for the first one you have to get off me and sit on the couch,” he told her.

“Sex does not count as a birthday present,” she told him as she reluctantly got off his lap and headed towards the overstuffed brown leather couch that was situated in the corner of the room.

“I’ll remember that when you want it later,” he said smiling devilishly as he picked up the guitar before sitting back down and getting comfortable, adjusting the strings slightly. “Okay so since you bought me my birthday present and told me to write a song about you-”

“I never TOLD you to,” she cut in.

“Shut up and let me finish. I did write one for you,” He cleared his throat before he began to strum and sing making her mouth fall open indignantly a scowl forming on her face. “I like big butts and I cannot lie, all you other broth- hey,” he said when the cushion hit his head.

“You bastard my ass isn’t huge,” she whined.

He giggled as he threw the cushion back to her, “I was just playing baby, I promise this time I’ll sing your song okay?”

“You better,” she pouted.

“You know…I’ve always had a hard time in opening up to people and I guess…just really listen to the words okay?” He said and she nodded as he began to strum and sing.

“I'm not gonna to patronise ya
But trying to write down why I like ya
It doesn't make it any better
To just steal kind words off Phil Spector

And I know all these tired clichés
But I don't know which cliché to say
Because clichés don't have any impact
So I guess I will be matter-of-fact

Cos...It's so good to know ya
I just don't know how to show ya

I love you, you know that
Don't you?
I love you

I'm so sorry that I'm losing
When other boys would leave you swooning
When I finally get my words together
I choke and they are gone forever

But words are words and they mean nothing
Surely I love you counts for something!
So let's be hasty, and let's be reckless
Just being with you leaves me breathless.”


She giggled when he actually said the last part breathless and tried to compose herself but she knew it was futile, she was going to be in tears at the end. This is what she had always wanted, a song written about her from the heart from the guy that loved her. Come on who wouldn’t? She never dreamt in a million years that it would come true but yet here she was.

“Cos...It's so good to know ya
I just don't know how to show ya

I love you, you know that
Don't you?
I love you

I love you, you know that
Don't you?
I love you

It's so good to know ya
I just don't know how to show ya

I love you, you know that
Don't you?
I love you

I love you, you know that
Don't you?
I love you.”


He finished playing the last chord and looked over to her and like he predicted a few tears were escaping her eyes, she was so predictable with stuff like this. He set the guitar back into it’s stand before making his way over to her but she stood before he could sit and wrapped her arms around him neck pulling him in close.

“Thank you,” she whispered before sniffing back her tears.

“So you liked it?” He asked wrapping his arms around her waist feeling her body against him. “Or are these tears because it sucked? You can be honest.”

“No I loved it,” she said leaning up to kiss him her hands entangling in his hair pulling him in closer, intensifying the kiss, her tongue running along his top lip until he partially opened his mouth so she could snake it in there, gently massaging his. He took the hint and trailed his hand up her ratty old PJ top, gently stroking the skin beneath as he lowered them both to the couch below them. He pulled away slightly breathless before he started trailing kisses down her cheek, following the line of her jaw before he began to nibble slightly on her ear making her moan in pleasure and frustration. It had been almost three weeks since they had been together and she was all about going crazy with his hands on her wishing that they had been able to do this last night as well but she had felt so rough, her damn ear infection making her hit the sack early and crashing as soon as her head hit the pillow. They could go slow later, right now she just needed him, so she began to tug at his boxers hoping he would get the hint.

“Impatient much?” he laughed pulling away from kissing her neck.

“I just don’t want to get interrupted,” she near on panted still trying to get his boxers down but he pulled away and made his way over to the door, noticing it was already locked he threw her a look.

“Hoping to get lucky were you?”

“Is that what this is?” She countered as she shed the pair of his boxers that she had claimed so long ago as her own, she knew she had him when his eyes bulged as she began to rub herself, he always liked to watch.

“Fuck,” he said under his breath watching as she attempted to get herself off, he himself becoming incredibly turned on at the sight before him. It was so erotic to watch her please herself, to know exactly what she needed to accomplish that task and he slowly made his way towards her dropping to his knees in front of her. “That feel good baby girl?” He asked as her breathing became more erratic and her fingers sped up.

She only nodded, a low groan escaping her lips when his hands began trailing up and down her thighs. She was so close, so, so close and that’s why she screamed in frustration when she felt him pull her hands away before one of his own large hands covered her mouth.

“Shhh, I thought you didn’t want to get interrupted,” he chastised.

“I didn’t,” she told him with a double meaning even more sexually frustrated now.

He rolled his eyes at her before swivelling her round so her wet pussy was in front of him, grabbing her legs and throwing them over his shoulders as he huskily told her, “but your fingers can’t feel as good as my tongue.”

Her only answer was a low moan from deep in her throat as he licked a path from the bottom of her pussy up, making time to nibble on her clit. God he was so good with his tongue and the little shit knew it too, hell half of the time when he was licking his lips or sticking his tongue out during concerts or interviews he knew it would be because she was watching. Right now though she didn’t care, he could be a cocky little shit as long as he got her off and he was right on track from that, his nose nudging her clit with every lick he made.

“Don’t stop…uhhhh,” she groaned, her hands entangling in his hair as she pushed herself further into his face, glancing down at him, his eyes meeting hers as he smirked. His left hand trailed her body, finally ending up teasing one of her nipples, while his right rested on her hip trying to keep her on the couch. She could feel herself teetering on the edge of loosing control and it felt so good and that’s when he pulled away and started kissing her inner thigh, making her again call out in frustration.

“Uh uh uh,” he chastised when she tried guiding him back to where she wanted him.

“Cunt tease,” she panted as she started to move her own hand back to her now almost throbbing centre but he was quicker and caught her hands in his, smirking devilishly at her. “Please Nick.”

“Please what?” He asked as he licked her thigh.

“Make me come, I’m so close,” She whispered sexily. His smile grew even wider as he made his way back to her pussy, licking in earnest and when he began to hum over her clit, that was when she lost all resolve, grabbing the nearest throw cushion and screaming his name into it. He continued to lick at her while she came down from her high before kissing his way back up to her mouth, claiming it in a searing kiss that again left her breathless.

Her hands roamed over his back, grinding her hips up against his making him moan with the friction that it caused against his erection. She un-tensed her muscles and slid them both to the floor so that she was sat with her back against the couch, him leaning on her slightly as they continued to kiss. She finally found the strength to push his shoulders and he took the hint, lying against the cold hard wood floor, making him shiver slightly from the coolness against his skin. She straddled him making sure to rub herself over his still boxer covered cock, making him almost whimper and herself moan.

“I want you,” he moaned huskily, his eyes turning a deeper shade of blue as he ran his hands through her hair. She smiled deeply leaning down to claim his mouth in hers for a quick peck before pulling away and trailing herself down his body, her dark hair making him squirm when it ticked it’s way down his torso. She heard him suck in a breath when she licked along the waist band of his boxers, his tummy was such a sensitive area for him, that and his neck, any contact there and you would get him squirming, he would literally be putty in your hands. She knew that he was starting to become inpatient by the way he started fidgeting, his hands coming to rest on the top of his boxers wanting to be rid of them. She took pity on him and started to tug at them herself, her pussy aching when she caught the first glimpse of his hard dick, how badly she wanted him inside of her, how she had missed this, but first she needed to get rid of the boxers. She trailed them down his legs and threw them across the room, smiling down at him making him laugh and then she slowly made her way back up his legs, taking him into her mouth, making him hiss at the sudden contact.

She licked at the head before bobbing her head back and forth vigorously making sure to take in all he had to offer.

“Yeah, feels so good,” he mumbled his hair entangling in her hair as he thrust up to meet her waiting mouth.

With one last lick she pulled away and moved to straddle him, sinking down on to him quickly, closing her eyes in ecstasy as she felt him fill her up. His hands were instantly on her hips, hers on his chest as she began slowly rocking back and forth against him.

“Oh yeah,” she moaned as she began to ride him that bit faster.

“You feel so tight,” He groaned thrusting up to meet her, pushing himself deeper inside her. The rocking continued, each of them hurtling towards the end quickly but neither wanting it to end quite so soon so she moved off of him, moaning when he slipped out of her before sitting on the edge of the couch, spreading her legs wide. He quickly got up from the position on the floor and knelt in front of her, lining himself up with her opening before he slowly pushed inside of her.

“Fuck…uhhhh….uhhh,” she cried, trying to be quiet so not to wake the others in the house but it was futile now, it just felt to good to keep quiet. She wrapped her legs around his middle, her arms wrapping round his shoulders and neck as she thrust herself forwards making sure that he was going a deep as possible. “You almost there?” She panted knowing she couldn’t take much more of this.

“Yeah,” he breathed back, slowing down. He knew it drove her crazy to be so close to getting what she wanted and then for him to back off and move excruciatingly slow but this feeling was just too good.

“Fucker,” she whined as she scratched her nails down his bare back. “Harder fuck me harder,” she begged and he smirked as he began to pick the pass up again. “That’s it, there, huhhhhhh huhhhhh.”

He felt her pulsate around him, squeezing his throbbing cock so tight that he knew any second he would be seeing the same stars that she was, feeling the same pleasure and sure enough, after one last hard thrust, he came deep within her, his cries muffled by burying his head into the crevice of her neck, while she bit down on his shoulder.

After a few minutes he pulled out of her and collapsed on the floor while she fell back against the couch totally breathless still. She threw her legs up on the other end of the couch and then glanced down at him still sprawled out on the floor, not missing the shudder that seemed to run through him.

“Cold?” She asked and he nodded as he moved and stood up, grabbing the large fleecy blanket that was on the top of the couch laying next to her and wrapping it round them when she moved to allow some space for him. She placed her head on his shoulder and flung her arm over his chest and she snuggled further under the blanket, his hand coming to rest on her abdomen.

“So is this all I’m getting for my birthday?” She asked.

“You’re so impatient,” he told her.

“What? I woke up extra early and you weren’t even in the same bed as me, I had to walk all the way here to find you.”

“Awwww poor baby,” he said kissing the side of her head as they drifted back into silence again.

“Huhmm,” she cleared her throat in reminder.

“Jezz alright okay,” he said as he swing his legs over the side of the couch making sure to take the warm fleecy blanket with him when he stood up.

“Hey!” she whined trying to grab for it.

“Nu uh you get the presents I get the blanket,” he told her as he wrapped it around himself before walking to the sound board to get the gifts that were sat there. He made his way back to her and sat back next to her rolling his eyes when she started tugging at the blanket again. He made himself more comfy and then shared the blanket with her pulling back the gift bag in his hand when she made an attempt to grab it.

“Party pooper,” she said sticking his tongue out at her.

“Just wait a second. There’s a present that I kind of need to explain to you a bit first. I know lately things haven’t been great between us, I know its been really difficult adjusting to being apart from each other as well and I just want you to know that I have been missing you like crazy.”

“I’ve missed you too,” she told him.

“Erm…you know…I find it really difficult to open up about things to you, to anyone Adie, I walked out on Angel when she tried to talk to me about stuff last night,” he admitted.

“So that’s why you were in here,” she said realising.

“Kind of… anyway I know I need to work on it but I just close off when I have to talk to you about it because…it’s not that I don’t want you to know, I just don’t like thinking about it and rehashing it all, it’s in the past,” he shrugged quickly silencing her when she was about to say something. “I know what you are going to say, it might be in the past but it’s still effecting me and I think I have realised that. I’m going to call my therapist and when I’ve finished this leg of the tour I want you to come to therapy with me.”

“You do?” She asked slightly shocked at his invite.

“Yeah I think I’ll find it easier to tell you about stuff if its more structured, you don’t have to come if you don’t want to,” he tried.

“No, no I want to come,” she smiled at him taking his hand and giving it a squeeze.

“That’s not your present by the way,” he said quickly making her laugh. “I needed to tell you that so that you didn’t think your present was an empty gesture. I know this isn’t the ring you wanted,” he said as he reached into the gift bag and pulled out the small box, “But right now it’s all I can offer.”

She took the box from him and opened the lid, gasping slightly when she saw it for the first time, “It’s beautiful,” she told him.



“You like it?” He asked and she nodded as she pulled it out of the box. “It’s a promise ring, it’s my promise to you that I’ll always love you and that I always want to be with you.”

“What does that mean?” She asked pointing to the inscription on the inside of the ring, A Ma Vie De Coer Entier.

“It means my whole heart for my whole life, I really mean that,” he said with a shy smile, it was one of her favourites of his, one she rarely saw, only when he let his softer side show. She placed the ring on her right hand, knowing if she placed it on her left, too many questions would be asked, making him uncomfortable and her angry, before wrapping her arms around him whispering a “thank you” in his ear.

“You’re welcome,” he said when she pulled back from him and gave him a quick kiss.

She didn’t know what else to say, she felt slightly torn knowing that even though this ring was beautiful it would always be tainted to her. He was right it wasn’t the one she wanted, she wanted the engagement ring but at least he was trying, this was his promise to her, she just hoped that it wasn’t an empty one.





Song credits:

I love you - Ordinary Boys
End Notes:
As always reviews are not mandatory but welcomed!
Birthday Blues by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

Adie realises that she does have a good life with Nick and maybe she should comprimise more
The bed was so snug, her body warmly nestled against his and when he opened his eyes he found her sleeping soundly then again he wasn’t surprised. They had both made their way back into the bedroom around seven thirty after two more sessions of love making and that’s where they had been ever since. She moved slightly and the sun, peeking in through a crack in the blinds, caught the band of diamonds on the ring that was situated on her right hand, it made them sparkle and glisten but it made him sigh.

He knew she loved the ring, loved the design, loved the sentiment but she hadn’t been able to hide her disappointment. He could tell just by her eyes, and although she tried to hide it, he knew. Maybe Angel had been right, maybe he should have proposed. It wasn’t what he wanted though and he knew he would never be able to go through with it, that would be worse for her because he knew she would be one of these people who would not want a long engagement, she would want to be married by the following year. How could he keep stalling her on a date? He couldn’t.

He heard a small knock at the door but he didn’t want to get up just yet, the fact that he hadn’t had much sleep catching up on him so he closed his eyes and ignored it. As soon as the door opened he knew exactly who it was, and he knew exactly what was coming next so he mentally and physically braced himself. He heard Rachel try and quiet a small chuckle, heard Alex shhh her and then he felt the mass land almost on him when he dived bombed the bed cackling madly.

“If I wasn’t naked I would so beat down on your ass J,” He warned as Adie wiped the sleep from her eyes pulling the covers up to cover her bare breasts.

“I did try and stop him,” Rachel said.

“Liar you egged him on,” Adie said knowingly.

She shrugged and smiled, “Yeah I did. Happy Birthday!”

“Thanks.”

“So what’s the plan for today?” Alex asked, perching himself on the edge of the bed.

“Sex, lots and lots of sex,” Nick smiled winking at Adie.

“Why Nick, although I love that idea it’s Adie’s birthday and I think you should spend some quality time with her, after all we do have the next leg of the tour to go yet,” Alex replied, waggling his eyebrows at his band mate.

“You are totally sick,” he said nudging him with his quilt covered foot.

“Mom said about going there for brunch, then whatever,” Adie shrugged through a yawn.

“No solid plans?” Rachel asked.

“Nope I went out with the guys from work last week, joint leaving party for Mike and birthday shindig for me so I am open to suggestions,” She told them knowing that it had been a huge mistake to say that when Alex’s face lit up.

“Oh I feel a little karaoke session coming on!”

***

She sat in the back yard of her parents lavish home, admiring the scenery but still felt the need to wrap her arms around herself pulling her knew leather jacket closer to her body when the breeze swept through. She had eyed Rachel, shaking her head at her older sister when she had opened the gift, it was the one she had spied in Harojuku street, the one she had replaced when the price tag had read close to seven hundred dollars.

“See it feels nice doesn’t it?” Rachel said as she sat down next to her sister, zipping up one of their Father’s old fleece jackets when she had also begun to feel the cold.

“Yeah it does, it’s gorgeous but you still shouldn’t have spent all that money on me, you have a baby to think about now,” she said placing her hand on her sister’s slightly protruding tummy.

“It’s not like me and Alex are totally broke you know. He has managed to sell more then one record and what with the money only being split four ways now,” she shrugged with a laugh.

“Yeah I know but still,” she tried.

“Anyway you having a nice birthday? I know you had a nice morning,” She said wiggling her eyebrows at her sister which meant she had to have overheard hers and Nick’s escapades this morning.

“You heard us?” Adie asked flushing slightly red.

“Honey if that was you guys trying to be quiet I would hate to be there when you are noisy. So was it as good as it sounded?” She asked.

“Three weeks away from each other, what do you think? What were you doing up that early anyway?”

“Morning sickness,” She shrugged.

“Awww, you shouldn’t have it for too much longer though should you?” She asked.

“Hopefully not. Where’s Alex and Nick?” She asked noticing the absence.

“Helping Mom clear the kitchen,” Adie replied.

“So… what did you think of the ring?” She asked.

What did she think of the ring? It was gorgeous, it was a Jacob Arabov original so she knew it wasn’t cheap, not that the money side mattered to her, it could have been from some generic jewellery store and she still would have liked it. Liked, liked not loved. That was wrong wasn’t it? This ring was beautiful, most women would kill to have a ring like this, so why didn’t she feel that way? Why did it feel like a big slap in the face? He was trying there was no denying that but to her it didn’t seem like he was trying enough. Why did she have to be so impatient about everything?

“Do you think I’m impatient?” She asked.

“Yes,” A voice said making her turn, smiling when she spotted her Father.

“Really?” She asked.

“It’s a funny question to ask sweetie, why are you asking it?” He asked sitting down opposite his two daughters. “So that’s where my fleece is,” He said spotting it on Rachel.

“I was cold,” she shrugged.

“What about me? I’m old I feel the cold too,” he said shivering for good measure.

“Yep but I am managing to keep two of us warm with this fleece it would just be you and your big old beer gut,” she remarked.

“But you have a baby in there to keep you warm,” he said patting her stomach making Adie inwardly scowl and then mentally berate herself. It was so wrong to think like that, she should be happy for her sister, it wasn’t her fault that Nick couldn’t commit. God now she was angry at him, he had bought her this incredibly beautiful ring, told her that he wanted to start opening up and she was still mad at him. It was her birthday for crying out loud and yet she didn’t feel much like celebrating, it was as if the world was mocking her. A harsh reminder, a kick in the teeth to show her all she had yet to achieve, that her plans, once again, had taken a back burner for him. The more she thought about it the more she seemed to realise that she had given up a lot for him, put her life on hold, juggled her job around to be there for him, to travel half way round the world to see him and what had he done for her?

“Adie?” She heard her name called and looked to her Father as he focused on her intently.

“Huh?” She asked being snapped from her depressing thoughts.

“You okay? You looked deep in thought,” He commented.

“Fine,” she shrugged trying to play it off, knowing full well her Dad could read her better then anyone.

“I’m going to help out in the kitchen,” Rachel said making herself scarce which made Adie want to smack her, she did not want to get into this conversation with her Dad now, not when Nick was here anyway.

“What’s wrong?” He asked kicking his feet back and placing them on another chair.

“Nothing,” She lied unsuccessfully, sighing heavily when her Dad threw her the all knowing "Don’t bullshit me" look. “I just thought I would have accomplished more at this stage in my life.”

He frowned at her before saying, “Accomplished more? You’ve accomplished a hell of a lot you know a lot of people would kill to be in your shoes. You’ve got an amazing job which you are very good at, a great guy to look after you, a nice house, a nice car, good friends, you’re seeing the world, what more could you want?”

God when he put it like that she did sound like a spoilt brat. Then again she knew she would give all that up in a heart beat for her to ask her that all one important question, to have a family with him, to have her sisters life.

“Forget it,” she shrugged, “It doesn’t matter.”

“No it’s bothering you so it does matter.”

“I just look at Rachel and see what she has, what she going to have and I want that,” She told him.

“Rachel’s older then you though honey,” he tried.

“Not by much and she meet Alex when I met Nick so why…why hasn’t he asked me? Why doesn’t he want that with me?” She asked shakily, willing herself not to cry.

“Everyone is different and from what I’ve heard he’s been hurt in the past. He’s a lot like your Mother in that respect do you know how long it took me to break down all of her walls? It worked out in the end, we’ve been married almost thirty five years now, have two wonderful daughters neither of whom were born until we were both in our thirties,” he said raising his eyebrows to her.

“You’re right.”

“You’ve always been goal orientated Adie, have always known what you wanted and you’ve gone out and achieved it and I have no doubt in my mind that you’ll have a family one day but these things take time and you’re both still young. Nick’s got a job that lets him travel the world and you get to tag along with him, you should be enjoying that because once babies come along that’s pretty much it for the next twenty years.”

She was about to reply when she heard the out of tune warbling of her Mother, Sister and Angel along with the perfect harmony that Alex and Nick were creating and turned her heard smiling when she saw her Mother carrying the cake alight with candles.

“Happy Birthday to you, Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday to Adie, Happy birthday to you!”

There was loud applause as she blew out the candles and then took a swipe at the icing, bringing her finger to her lips savouring the coco nutty taste.

“What did you wish for?” Angel asked as she took a seat across the table.

“That would be telling,” Adie said as she noticed her Mother walking back into the kitchen only to return a few moments later with another cake making Nick grin in appreciation.

“Hey why does he get a chocolate cake?” Adie asked.

“Because he’s allergic to coconuts,” Her Mom answered handing Nick his smaller cake.

“So. I never get a coconut cake on his birthday and come to think of it when I was in England I never got sent a birthday cake yet I had to lug one to Florida this year for him,” She joked.

“Adie you should know Mom loves Nick more then you, he actually does the dishes without moaning,” Rachel told her as she took a helping of the coconut cake and almost half of Nick’s small cake.

“HEY!” He whined swatting at her hands.

“I’m helping you,” She told him.

“How?!”

“Because there are now less calories in that cake which means less time working it off at the gym,” she told him with a smug smile. “I on the other hand have the perfect excuse for looking like the size of a house!”

“You’ll be more like the size of a mall by the time that baby is out,” Nick retaliated jokingly making her sister give him the finger.

“Rachel not at the table,” Their Mother scolded making Adie laugh, their Mom was so old school, she hated swearing, people getting drunk, loud partying, god if she only knew what Rachel had gotten up to in her younger days she would have plenty more worry lines around her dark brown eyes.

“Yeah Rachel,” Nick mocked.

“You can stop it too Nickolas,” Izzy told him wagging her finger at him playfully as she handed out the rest of the cake to the others waiting patiently.

“Aww Izzy you know you love me more then her,” He said blowing her a kiss making her Mother smile brightly. He got on so well with everyone in her family, knew how to charm her Mom, talk sports with her Dad, joke around with her sister, they were al crazy about him. Usually with previous guys there was always one who didn’t like him, who felt he was no good but with Nick had been totally different from the start. She knew the feeling was mutual too because he raved about them after every family gathering they had been to, called her Mom to speak to her when he had been away and just wanted someone to talk to who wasn’t on the tour.

She knew that his family was a complete mess, well his relationship with his parents anyway, and maybe just maybe he had found some comfort from hers. She didn’t begrudge him that at all…well maybe she did but only slightly, sometimes it felt she was being used for her family. If he liked that bond so much then why wasn’t he willing to create it again with her, to be able to have their own family around them?

“You alright?” Nick asked once again snapping her from her thoughts, “You’ve hardly touched your cake.”

“I’m fine just a bit sleepy,” She smiled as she plunged her fork into the sponge.

“We can take a nap before we go out tonight,” he told her. “So what did you wish for?”

For a question, she inwardly thought.
London Calling by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

It's the day before the big O2 gig and Nick is sick











Chapter Fifteen

The year was quickly progressing, the month of May now upon them and he was nearly finished with the European leg of their tour. She couldn’t believe how quickly the time had actually passed, before he left she was sure it was going to be the longest possible year, that it would drag by excruciatingly slow because they were apart. She had been wrong it was going by too quickly, only reiterating how short life could be, how you had to live for every minute, not wait for things that were important. This fast paced year was only making her contemplate things she never thought she would do.

Her birthday had made her see things differently, the chat with her Dad, Nick’s invitation to therapy, well he was trying and they were both still young, she could wait at least another year to start trying for a family. My god was Adrianna Jones about to compromise? Shockingly enough it seemed as though she was.

She felt the plane touch down and breathed a small sigh of relief, she didn’t hate to fly, in fact she quite enjoyed it, it was just the landings she hated. Most crashes happened on landing, the pilot either missed the runway or the landing gear was faulty, god thinking about it sent chills up and down her spine. It also made her smile to herself because landing was Nick’s favourite part of flying, it signified the end of the trip, being back on land again, even if it was just for a short time. She remembered when they had first flown together, how he tried to hide it but she had known immediately.

Brisbane 2006

She fell into the seat closest to the window with him sitting in the one next to her and for someone who had been so full of conversation earlier, it was a stark comparison, usually Nick could talk the hind legs of a donkey but now…it was almost as if someone had removed his tongue. She tried getting the conversation back, asked him questions by he answered quickly, one word answers and she wondered if she had done or said something to piss him off. Then again maybe he was just tired, he had been touring pretty much non stop, the way he seemed to hold his breath and dig his non existent nails into the arm rest when they began to taxi was the giveaway.

“Do you not like flying Nick?” She asked softly.

“Will you think I’m a pansy if I say yes?” He asked, his eyes remaining shut.

“No,” she chuckled as she took his hand in hers giving it a squeeze.

“Then yeah I hate it, it’s the worst thing in the world,” he admitted.

“I hate landing,” She admitted.

“Landing is the best bit, it means you have survived the trip, that your pilot is actually competent, oh god,” he moaned as they plane began to accelerate.

She squeezed his hand tighter, bought it up to her lips and kissed it and reassured him that it was going to be fine as they took off and once they had levelled out he finally opened his eyes, smiling to her sheepishly.

“Any other phobias I should know about?” She asked.

“He thinks gremlins will bite his toes off if he hangs them over the end of the bed,” she heard Brian’s voice from behind and laughed when Nick turned beetroot red.


She walked through arrivals and frowned slightly in disappointment when she just saw Josh. Usually Nick always met her at arrivals, then again maybe he was just waiting in the car out front because he didn’t want to deal with the fans today, if that was the case it meant he was having an off day. Most of the time he was happy to meet with his fans, to chat, sign autographs and take pictures but just like everyone else he had the occasional off day and rather then be classed as an arrogant ass when he ignored pleas he just avoided the fans.

“Hi,” She smiled to Josh when she finally reached him.

“Hey nice flight?” He asked taking her bags from her.

“Not bad, movies sucked,” she shrugged, “Nick in the car?”

“No back at the hotel, he’s really sick,” Josh told her as she followed him through the doors and out onto the street.

“His cold?” She asked. She had called him just before she left for the airport yesterday and he had sounded pretty congested, blaming the English weather even though today seemed pretty hot and bright.

“Yeah, he can barely breath through his nose so I don’t now how he is going to get through the show tomorrow,” he said as they got into the car that had been waiting for them.

Forty five minutes later and Adie realised just how sick Nick was. When she had spoken to him on the phone he had sounded slightly horse and was a bit bunged up, sniffing and coughing down the phone for emphasis but she was used to that. It was a well known fact that when Nick got ill he played it up, that it wasn’t just a cold it was flu, it wasn’t a stomach bug he had food poisoning, it wasn’t a headache it was a brain tumour! Yes he had actually said that once. This time though maybe he hadn’t been over exaggerating. She watched him from the doorway of the bedroom, he was curled up on the bed the covers pulled over him so all she could see was the top of his head, well actually the top of his Union Jack beanie, a circle of tissues surrounding him. In fact they were everywhere, on the nightstand, the comforter, a trail on the floor she chuckled slightly as she shook her head and began to pick them up, placing them all in the bin, frowning slightly when he moved. His breathing was definitely off, he sounded rattley, like he needed one hell of a good cough but she didn’t have the heart to wake him to tell him that so instead she backed out of the bedroom and walked into the living room picking up her cell phone.
“Are you here yet?” Rachel asked when she obviously picked up her phone.

“Yeah I just got in, are you busy?” She asked.

“Not really I’m just sat while Alex does a quick run through of his set for Friday, why?” She asked.

“Want to meet me in town? I have a feeling I’m going to need some supplies if Nick is going to be any use to anyone tomorrow,” she said.

“Is he still sick? God he’s been snotty since Germany. Sure I don’t know how to get there though.”

“You need to meet me at Covent Garden so I think from where you are that means you needs to get the jubilee line and then change for the Piccadilly. It’s all signposted anyway,” Adie said trying to remember the route from when she used to live in London.

“Okay I’ll meet you at the entrance to the tube?” Rachel replied.

“Yeah sure, see you soon.”

She quietly made her way out of the suite making sure to grab her bag on the way out, and before she left she let Josh know so he could relay the message to Nick if he decided to wake up before she got back. She then walked the short distance to the nearest tube station and topped up her oyster card so she could hop on and off wherever she wanted. She missed this, yeah it was nice to be living back home with all her family but there was just something about London that she loved. Everything was close no matter where you lived, there was a Starbucks practically on every corner, most places were open late, she loved city life. She wasn’t even sure that she would have left if it hadn’t had been for her Father’s heart attack but then again if she hadn’t then she would never had met Nick, how different would her life had been? Would she be married now…she shook her head at herself trying to rid the thoughts, she had to give him a chance, all she had to do was wait until this leg of the tour was over and then they could go to therapy, he could start to open up to her.

The trip from the hotel to Covent Garden only took about ten minutes but she knew Rachel would took longer so she headed towards Starbucks before making her way back to the entrance of the tube so she could met her sister.

“I am never getting on the fucking tube again,” She huffed as she came walking through the gates, blowing the loose hairs out of her flushed face.

“Why?” Adie asked slightly bemused by her sisters appearance, she looked dishevelled, hot and extremely pregnant for someone who was only five months along.

“It’s too damn hot and crowded,” She whined as she took the frappacino from her sister with a small smile of appreciation, “where’s the whipped cream?”

“You know you do kind of have to eat a bit healthy when you’re pregnant,” Adie pointed out as her sister nearly downed the who Caramel crème Frap ignoring what she had just said as she interlinked arms with her sister.

“So he still whiney?” She asked as they walked along the cobbled street.

“He was sleeping when I got in but he does look really sick,” she defended.

“Yeah at first everyone just kind of ignored him, told him to deal but he had gotten worse I mean we all went out for dinner last night and he stayed back just wanted to crash which is kind of un Nick like,” Rachel said as they walked into Boots, a national chemist in Britain. Adie picked up a basket and began throwing random things in from paracetamol, ibuprofen, decongestants, cough medicine. From Boots they made there way over to Lush where she stoked up on bath salts, oils and moisturiser and finally there last stop was Thornton’s on Rachel insistence.

“Chocolate always makes me feel better,” she shrugged as the waltzed in.

“So how is Alex? Nervous about his show?” Adie asked as they slowly made their way back towards the tube, licking the ice cream from the cones that they had just bought.

Rachel nodded, rolling her eyes before answering, “Totally I mean I thought you were neurotic but he is something else. Everything has to be perfect, he ran through one song seven times today, I was about ready to whack him over the head with the microphone if I heard it again.”

“So I saved you huh?” Adie giggled as she swiped her oyster card opening the gateway to the tube.

“Yep I will forever be eternally grateful.”

“Is Denise here yet?” Adie asked.

“Tomorrow we’re going shopping on Friday morning if you want to come,” She offered.

“I might meet you I’m going to visit GOS,” she replied before stepping on the tube that had just arrived her sister following close behind. She had promised that she would go back and visit when she left and that had been almost four years ago now, so she couldn’t wait to go back and see some familiar faces, see how the unit had changed.

“Nick going with?”

“Depends on if he is still sick or not, I’m sure he’ll manage to pull himself out of bed for the show though,” She said as she clung to the railing above her head as the train pulled out of the station.

“Good because I think Alex is going to murder anyone who isn’t there.”

***

She expected him to at least be stirring when she got back to the hotel two hours after she had originally left him but he hadn’t even moved. She glanced at her watch as she inched her way into the bedroom it was coming up on five o’clock if he didn’t wake soon he was going to be awake all night. She picked up on of the bags and headed towards the bathroom, filling the tub with tepid water, adding a few salts and a lemon bath bomb, hoping that would at least start to clear his blocked sinuses. She left the water running as she dimmed the lights and lit a few candles, a relax in the tub usually always worked wonders. She slipped back into the bedroom quietly and fished out the bag which held a pharmacy’s worth of drugs that she was going to feed him in the hopes of beating this damn cold or at least still it a bit until after tomorrows show.

She placed the packets on the side along with the bottle of water and then she slowly tried to coax him out of his sleep. She carefully slipped his hat off and pulled the covers back a little stifling a laugh when she realised that he was actually fully clothed, his jeans still on, a warm fleecy hoody covering his top half, god no wonder he felt warm when she ran her hand across his forehead.

“Nick,” she called softly but to no avail. “Nicky,” she tried again, stroking his face softly and he sighed at her touch. “You need to wake up baby.”

His hand came to his face wiping his eyes and then at his crusty nose making her scrunch hers up in disgust. He finally opened his eyes and even managed a small smile when he saw her but burst into a coughing fit when he tried to say something. She rolled her eyes as she pulled him so he was sitting up, patting his back feeling how crackly his chest was just from the touch.

“Finished?” She asked after about a minute when his hacking coughing stopped.

“Yeah, what time is it?” He asked as he wrapped the duvet round him more, almost shivering into it.

“Almost five,” she said.

“You’re late, was your flight delayed?” He asked falling back against the pillows. He was definitely ill because otherwise he would have been all over her.

“I got here on time but you were sleeping so I went out to stock up of stuff to get you better,” she told him running her hand through his hair making him sigh at the contact.

“So you’ll be my nurse?” He tried to flirt but it wasn’t very attractive or inviting when he sneezed and then wiped his nose on his sleeve.

“Yeah,” she giggled. “You need a bath.”

He shook his head in disagreement, “I’m comfy here.”

“You smell, this bed is gross and the steam will help your sinuses,” she told him firmly pulling at his hands as she tried with all her might to move him from the bed but it didn’t work. “Nick,” she said in her warning voice.

“Can’t you bring the bath out here?” He whined.

“No whiney boy I can’t so move your toosh in there,” she said pointing towards the bathroom and with a heavy sigh he pushed himself up from the bed and started in the direction of the bathroom.

“Are you not coming too?” he asked when he reached the doorway.

“I’ll come check on you in a bit,” she told him as she peeled back the duvet and pulled out yet more tissues.

“But I might fall asleep and drown.”

“No you won’t,” she said not even looking at him.

“You don’t know that, I could then how guilty would you feel?” He asked.

“At least I wouldn’t have to share my bed with a whiney sick person.”

“Meany,” she heard him call from within the bathroom, followed a few moments later by “SON OF A BITCH!”

“You still need to add cold water,” she called to him.

“Yeah thanks for telling me,” he moaned.

“Well I thought you would check the temperature before you got in,” she called back as she stripped the bed before placing the clean sheets on that she had found in the closet because there was nothing worse then getting into a bed that was all sweaty. She then pulled out a pair of sweats from his case with a plain wife beater and laid them on the bed for him before grabbing a few of the medicine bottles from the nightstand.

She laughed when she saw him in the tub, surrounded by bubbles, the washcloth thrown over his face as he reclined back.

“What?” His muffled voice asked.

“You just look soooooo attractive right now,” she joked as she pulled the wash cloth from his face handing him a few pills.

“What are they?” He asked eyeing them sceptically, almost as if she were trying to poison him.
“Pain killers.”

“I’m not in any pain,” he told her trying to hand them back.

“They’ll bring down your temperature and the ibuprofen will help the swelling in your throat,” she told him handing him the bottle of water when he placed the tablets in his mouth.

“I feel like shit,” he whined.

“You look like it too,” she told him making him frown.

“That wasn’t very nice, are you going to get in?” He asked but she shook her head no. “Please…pretty please” he whined again.

“You’re worse then a child when you use that voice with the pout,” she told him which only made the pout worse and she found herself caving to his demands. He smiled cockily as she began to strip and moved forward slightly so she would have enough room to climb in behind him. Once she was comfortable she pulled him to rest back against her, kissing his flushed cheek as she ran her hands down his chest. “Don’t fall asleep again,” she warned.

“Why? This is so relaxing,” he breathed finding her thigh under the water and gently caressing it.

“You’ve been sleeping all day,” she pointed out.

“Actually I got into bed at eight last night and I think I moved twice to pee,” he admitted making her shake her head a t his confession, no wonder his chest was so bad.

“You know that’s an excellent way to catch pneumonia,” she told him as she began to pat his chest to try and break up some of the gunk that had to be in there if his hacking cough was anything to go by.

“Ergh pneumonia nothing I haven’t had before,” he shrugged, “What are you doing?” He asked as her patting increased.

“Giving you a bit of physiotherapy, cough,” she commanded.

“Don’t want to.”

“Cough,” she said again more firmly and he did clearing his chest and when she placed her hands back over it there were definitely less crackles.

“This is so typical of me,” he moaned

“What being whiney? Yeah I know that,” she said spluttering slightly when she got a face full of bubbles.

“Getting sick before important stuff smart ass,” he bit back. She knew he would get pissed off at himself, tomorrow was being recorded for the MSN broadcast, it was a big deal, if he sounded like shit it would be everywhere. This tour had already gotten some bad reviews, he didn’t need anything else to bring him down, saying that his voice was shit when it quite clearly wasn’t. The thing about Nick was that he took things to heart too much, if someone bad mouthed him, made snide remarks it would play on his mind for weeks.

“You’ll be fine, I’ll keep you dosed up and as long as you rest your voice as much as possible, make sure you have a good warm up before the show you’ll do great,” she reassured.

“I’ve got sound check so I can’t really rest it.”

“You’ll be fine, is your throat sore? Have you seen a doctor?” She asked.

“Yeah it’s pretty much raw I think it’s strep throat.”

“I’ll see if I can get you some chloraseptic when I go to GOS tomorrow,” she told him as she began to massage his shoulders, he was so tense, it was going to take her ages to work out all the knots that had built up.

“That feels really good, I doubt I‘ll be able to go with you will I?” he asked

“Not really I don’t think they would be to impressed if you gave all the kids your cold. Why don’t we get out and I can work off these knots some more?”

“Definitely” he agreed.

***

She yawned for the tenth time as she walked into the entrance of the children’s hospital. Nick had been so fidgety, hot one minute, shivering with being cold the next and as a result the duvet had been on one minute and off the next. Add that to the fact that he seemed to be blowing his nose constantly, jostling the bed with his coughing well she hadn’t really gotten a lot of sleep, in fact she could think of nowhere better to be then back in the comfy hotel bed where she had left her sick boyfriend. She couldn’t put this off any longer though, as it was it was only going to be a fleeting visit.

“Nick keep you up all night?” Brian asked as he walked beside her with a smirk.

“Yes but not in the way you are insinuating,” she replied making her way over to the bank of lifts.

“His cold?” He asked and she nodded. When Brian had learned that Adie was going to be visiting the cardiac intensive care unit he had jumped at the chance to go with her, to learn more first hand of what went on after surgery, how these kids were cared for, yes he had the foundation, yes he had read up on stuff but seeing it first hand would be a real eye opener and the whole journey over he had been asking her questions, intrigued to know more about her nursing background. It was nice really, she knew that he was or had been Nick’s closet friend in the band but now…well if you were to ask her it seemed that Nick had a closer bond with Howie. She of course knew Alex really well after all he was her brother in law and she got on well with Howie but it was the two Kentucky cousins who she knew the littlest about.

Kevin of course had left not long after she had started seeing Nick, that was one of the first and only times she saw Nick shed some of his emotions, he hadn’t cried, at first he didn’t even acknowledge it but after a while he got angry, ended up trashing their hotel room. She had been slightly scared at first but she eventually saw his actions for what they were, his way of showing how he felt, a person that didn’t know how to deal with his emotions, maybe that should have been her warning right there that their relationship was not going to be easy, that it would be a constant battle for her to get him to show her his true self.

Brian…Brian was different. She knew there had been a falling out between the two friends, that Nick’s choice to pursue his solo carer had played a part in that, that Nick and Leighanne hadn’t always seen eye to eye. They had drifted apart but according to Nick things were starting to get better between the two. Was it sad that she didn’t really know that much about someone who had once been almost inseparable from the man she loved?

She didn’t have time to contemplate that much more because before she knew it she was stood just outside the unit waiting to be buzzed in. She walked into the old cardiac unit and almost felt as if she was home, the smell, the noises, the sights, god nothing had really changed which in a way was a bit upsetting because she knew when she had been here the unit had been struggling. The walls could do with a fresh look of paint, the monitoring could certainly do with being updated and the kids could certainly do with a few more TV’s to keep them entertained. She didn’t have time to contemplate further before someone was running towards her, pulling her into a massive hug.

“I can’t believe it’s you!” The women said squeezing her even more making Adie laugh.

“In the flesh Lou,” She said squeezing her old friend back.

“It’s so good to see you,” she said pulling back. “I think you’ve bought the wrong Backstreet Boy though,” she said eyeing Brian shaking his hand when he put it out.

“Nick’s sick so I’ve bought Brian instead, Brian this is Louise I trained with her,” she introduced.

“Nice to meet you,” he smiled.

“Believe me the pleasure is all mine, my sister is going to freak out she’s a big fan of yours.”
“I’m sure I can sign something for her,” he smiled, “So this is where you used to work?”

“Yep, hasn’t really changed much,” She said smiling to Lou.

“Nope not much has changed, you want a quick tour?” She asked Brian.

“Sure,” he said following her leaving Adie at the nurses station smiling when she spotted someone who she got on so well with.

“Hey stranger,” She said making him look up with a broadening smile.
End Notes:
Please let me know what you think!
Just like a pill by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Nick becomes jealous of Mark which leads him to some irrational behavior

“No way,” he smiled when he looked up to her. “So you still do know what a plane is!” He joked standing up quickly so he could hug her across the desk. “How are you?” He asked when they finally broke apart.

“I‘m good, how about you?” She asked as she took a seat next to him at the desk.

“Yeah same here,” he said holding up his left hand letting her get a quick glance at the gold band on his finger, “Married now.”

“Really?” She asked trying to sound surprised, Lou had kind of kept her up to date with the happenings through email which now she was quite thankful for because if she hadn’t of known it would have been quite a blow. Hers and Marks relationship had been far from just friendship but again he had been reluctant to commit, maybe it was her? Maybe she just sought these guys out? Then again maybe if Mark was married now there was still hope for Nick, maybe he would change his mind? But what if it wasn’t just a commit thing, all the guys she had been with had rejected her in that way. Oh stop it, stop over analysing everything,” she thought to herself as Mark filled her in on what he had been up to.

“…so she’s due in September,” he beamed when he talked about expecting his first child.

“Congratulations, Rachel’s actually due in September too.”

“So you are going to be an Aunt? So how about you? I hear your dating someone famous so how do the other half live?” He asked.

“Quite well, lets just say I haven’t been flying coach lately,” she smirked.

“Oh god do you remember the trip to Nepal?” He asked starting to laugh.

“What the twelve hour flight where I was trapped between the two obese guys who stank of B.O in coach? Then there was the bloody ride on the back of the questionable looking bus whilst lugging around my backpack plus all the medical equipment? Yeah who is going to forget that anytime soon?”

“Forget what anytime soon?” Brian asked as he met her at the desk after Lou had shown him around.

“A trip to Nepal, don’t ask it’s a very long story,” she said, “Brian this is Mark, Mark Brian, Nick’s friend. Marks a registrar here kinda like a resident back home,” she explained.

“Well actually I’m a consultant now,” He said showing her his I.D badge.

“Really? Wow congratulations.” He certainly had done well for himself, he just looked so in control of his life, so happy, so un Mark like, when they had been going out he had been the other way round completely. Hell he was even considering quitting work because he didn’t know if he wanted to be a doctor, her on the other hand had everything mapped out just like always, just showed that no matter how much you planned and had goals it didn’t always mean you were going to get everything you wanted.

“For almost a year now. You still working in cardiology?” He asked.

“No ER at the moment, it’s definitely an eye opener, I wouldn’t mind getting back into this though,” she wistfully said as she looked around.

“Well we are going to Nepal again this year, I can send you the info if you’d like, we’re always screaming out for experienced nurses,” he offered.

“I’ve been out of it for a while now though, I would be so rusty.”

“Take a look at this and tell me what you see?” He said handing her the piece of paper with lots of lined that peaked and fell on them, an ECG of a patient who was obviously on the unit, or should be if the result of this test was anything to go by.

“That’s complete heart block,” she said handing it back.

“And what do we do for heart block?”

“Pace them, so was he a TGA or something?” She asked.

“Double outlet right ventricle, and you are far from rusty, at least consider it. How long are you here for? Do you have time for a coffee?” He asked.

“Do we have enough time? Is that okay?” She asked Brian knowing they had to be back for sound check.

“We’ve got plenty of time,” he smiled back. “You can fill me in about the previous trip to Nepal.”

***

Nick opened his eyes slowly and was pleasantly surprised when his head didn’t pound in distaste, he tried breathing through his nose but wasn’t as successful and he ended up nearly coughing up half a lung. Even after all the coughing he did have to admit that he felt slightly better, his head didn’t hurt, he wasn’t as bunged up and his throat wasn’t as sore as it had been. Maybe now he could give Adie the welcome he had wanted to yesterday. He knew from when he sat up that she wasn’t in the bed next to him and there was no noise coming from the bathroom so maybe she had met up with Rachel for breakfast. He flung his legs up and over the edge of the bed and that’s when he found the note on his night stand, along with the four tablets, water and nasal spray.

“Hey you big germ,

Dr ordered sleep so I left you in bed. Gone to GOS with Bri, be back before sound check will meet you at venue. Take the paracetomol and Ibuprofen, two squirts of the nasal spray and try not to talk much!!

Love you hope you feeling better.

Love

Nurse Lushtoosh!

Xxxxx

P.S drink lots of fluids!!

Drink lots of fluids? Well what else was he going to drink? Why did people feel the need to say that? He shook his thoughts from his head as he made his way to the bathroom, he grimaced slightly when he saw his reflection in the mirror, he still looked like shit, his face pale and sallow looking, he was going to be in the makeup chair for hours tonight. He did feel better though and he had already spent two days cooped up in this hotel room he couldn’t bare the though of doing it again. No he would shower, get some food in to his system and go to the hospital and meet her, he didn’t need to meet any of the kids, he didn’t need to go into any of the critical care areas, hell he could just wait in the lobby for a bit but at least he would get to spend a few hours with her.

He switched on the shower and hopped inside sighing when the warm spray hit his shoulders and slid down the rest of his body, the steam already easing the congestion in his nose. The warm water helped ease his sore muscles but was by no means as good as the massage she had given him last night, it was so good to feel her hands on him, working out all of the stressful knots that he had actually fallen asleep under her touch. “Way to go dude, you don’t see her for how many weeks and then you fall asleep on her!” He knew she would understand though, he was sick it’s not like he could help it but already with her only being her for a few hours he felt as million times better. He was just pissed off that she couldn’t get more time off work, that in two days she would be leaving again and it would be another three weeks before he would see her. Then again after Cape Town was over it meant that he would have nearly a whole two months off to enjoy with her.

When he hopped out of the shower he quickly towelled himself dry and threw on a pair of jeans, and t-shirt and quickly ran his fingers through his hair before he grabbed the nearest baseball cap.

Half an hour later he was walking in through the main entrance to Great Ormond Street hospital and spotted Adie immediately, her laughter radiating throughout the lobby, a true smile, something he hadn’t seen in a long time, not even when he gave her the ring and the promise of opening up more to her. What was even more concerning was the guy that was making her laugh, their body language seemed to mirror each others, he was too close almost invading her personal space and when he grabbed for her hand and gave it a squeeze Nick felt compelled to make his presence known.

“So I grab her just as this guy on a bike comes speed-”

“Nick,” Adie smiled cutting Mark off, but it wasn’t like her smile earlier, it didn’t quite meet her ever so expressive chocolate orbs. “What are you doing here?” She asked slightly surprised as she pulled away from Mark’s grasp, instead wrapping her arms around Nick’s neck.

“I felt better and didn’t want to waste this morning without you,” he said smiling when she leant up to kiss him on the cheek.

“You still feel a bit warm, did you take the pills?” She asked and he wanted to roll his eyes, he wasn’t a child, he didn’t need to be made to feel like one, especially in front of this doctor dude, well he was assuming he was a doctor if the stethoscope was anything to go by.

“Yeah. So who’s your friend?” he asked smiling his well rehearsed fake smile to Mark.

“Oh sorry…Nick this is Mark, I used to work with him here and Mark this is Nick my boyfriend,” she introduced noticing immediately how Nick’s eyes darkened when she mentioned Mark’s name, shit he does remember, she thought to herself as she watched the pair shake hands.

“Nice to meet you,” Mark said.

“You too,” He smiled before turning back to Adie, “Have you already been to the ICU?” He asked.

“Yeah that’s where we bumped into Mark I guess we ought to be going really,” she said smiling apologetically to her friend.

“Really? I feel like I’ve monopolised your morning you didn’t even get to see the plans for the new building, Francesca is in today as well and I know she will kill me if I don’t at least take you up to say a quick hello.”

“Fran’s in?” Adie asked and Nick could hear the obvious disappointment in her voice as if the look that crossed her face wasn’t enough. God he hated this, but he knew what he had to do after all if he didn’t she would spend the rest of the day bummed that she didn’t get to someone who she desperately wanted to.

He took her hand making Adie look to him hopefully before he smiled and said, “Stay if you want, it’s only sound check this afternoon.” The smile the crossed her face was enough to make him feel good.

“You’re sure? Cause I can see her another time,” she tried but he knew deep down she was only saying it because she felt she had to, because she didn’t want to seem to eager.

“Yeah. Meet me for dinner back at the hotel?” He asked.

“Of course. Keep taking the Ibuprofen and throat spray and rest your voice,” she told him as she leant up to give him a quick peck on the lips. She said a quick goodbye to Brian and then he watched as she walked towards the bank of elevators all the while laughing and joking with Mark, her voice and laughter ringing throughout the hallway and he couldn’t help but think that was how they used to be.

He had to get that spark back.

***

As if having a cold wasn’t bad enough, the world just seemed to be against him today. He should have known that his sudden feelings of being better would not last, that by the time it really mattered he would be feeling like shit, well he was feeling like shit now and he hadn’t even sang a note so it didn’t bode well for tonight. It was just fucking typical of him to get sick before a big show and it always seemed to be him, no one else ever infected him, it was always him infecting everyone else, then because of travelling in such close quarters it meant it would circle back around. God he would be lucky if he got rid of this stinking cold before the end of this leg of the tour.

Add all that to the fact that they were doing a full run through today because of the added pyro and cameras plus the fans sound check party, all he wanted to do was crawl into bed for the next seven days but unfourtunetly he wasn’t Nick Carter this week he was Nick Backstreet. His dampened mood did nothing to discourage him from the distressing thoughts of what Adie was doing at this precise moment with Dr fucking McDreamy, Great thanks to her obsession with Grey’s anatomy I’m now having visions of her sleeping with him just like bloody Meredith did - oh god do not let it slip to the others that you’ve watched that!” he thought to himself as he threw the tennis ball against the wall and caught it again.

It had taken all he had to tell her to stay earlier because it was the last thing he wanted. He was well aware of who Mark was, of what had happened between him and his girlfriend, there was a lot of history there and he could in all honesty say that he was confident that Adie didn’t still have feelings for him. Just the way she was looking at him today, their interaction with each other, their body language she had been like she had three years ago when they had first met and that’s when the starteling change in her occurred to him.

Yes she had gotten more serious the longer they had been together but then so had he, it was just part of growing up, of getting older but in that time she had seemed to of lost her spark, to have lost herself. He knew that it was partly to do with him, he was partly to blame for her unhappiness but then again she had a hell of lot, a lot more then most, a lot more then before they had met, so who was she to be unhappy?

“Are you angry at the ball or at the wall?” Brian asked starteling Nick from his thoughts.

“Neither,” he grumbled.

“Everyone gets sick Nick, loads of people have crappy immune systems,” he tried to joke, catching the tennis ball when Nick threw it at him.

“I’m not mad at that,” he said catching the ball when Brian threw it back.

“Aahh so you are mad at something!” Brian said raising his eyebrows. Damn it now he was going to have to talk, why couldn’t he have kept his big mouth shut?

“Maybe,” he shrugged as he carried on the little catch and throw they had going on.

“Ohh is it like a guessing game now? Who’s Nick pissed off at and why? Do I get a prize if I guess right?” He joked making Nick shake his head but smile at his goofy friend.

“Whatever.”

“It’s Adie and that Mark guy isn’t it?” Brian asked knowingly.

“How did? Oh my god your like the dude from hero’s that can read peoples minds!” Nick joked back.

“Maybe. Is there a bit of history there between them?” He asked.

“What you mean you couldn’t tell from being around them today?” He sceptically asked. “They used to date, got quite serious but he uh ended up being a bit of a player and then with her Dad’s heart attack she moved back and I guess it ended. She still loves him,” He stated.

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Brian chastised.

“Oh come on you saw how they were around each other,” Nick snapped.

“What I saw was two people who haven’t seen each other in a long time catching up, they were reminiscing about stuff, you know like you would if you ever bumped into…if you…” Brian tried. But when he thought about it all of Nick’s relationships never seemed to end amicably where they could remain friends.

“Who Brian? Paris? Mandy? Tiff? What does that say about me? How long is it going to be until Adie is added to that list?”

“Look I’m not going to sit here and let you get down on yourself. If you look back on your track record at the girls you used to date it’s not surprising none of them ended amicably, they were only for you because of your money and your status, we all know Adie isn’t like that,” Brian pointed out.

“Yeah but in that past it was always me calling the shots on when things ended, what if this time it’s her?” He asked unsurely.

“You guys are going through a rough patch, happens to every body man. You’ll get through this, just don’t go doing anything stupid.”

Little did Nick know that by this afternoon Angel’s question would be answered.

***

She walked into the sound check a little over halfway through and almost walked right back out again when she heard the song that they were singing, it couldn’t be a sign could it? Right now she wasn’t so confident. She was so terribly confused.

Being back in this city, going back to where she trained, seeing her old life, her old hospital, her old friends…seeing Mark, well it made her feel so unsure of her life, of the choices she had made to lead her down this path. Yes Mark was married now, yes he had a baby on the way, yes she knew nothing would ever or could ever happen between the pair but it hadn’t stopped her thinking what if today. What if she hadn’t of caught Mark in bed with that other nurse? What if she could have gotten past it? What if her Father hadn’t of had his heart attack? What would her life be like now? Would she have been happy or would she be feeling the exact same way she was at this precise moment? She didn’t know and she knew she never would.

The one thing she did know though was that she couldn’t stay there in the mood she was in. She needed a few hours to herself, she needed some time to think and so she quickly left, telling Marcus she would be back at the hotel. Nick hadn’t expected her to show there anyway.

***

It felt so damn good to get out of the venue, even if it was just going to be for a few hours. The run through and sound check party hadn’t gone as bad as he thought, his voice managed to hold out but he knew there would be a few snaky comments on live daily about his lack of participation and conversation during the sound check. To hell with them though, he knew there would be a lot more flack to contend with if he couldn’t perform tonight.

Marcus had decided that a “through the kitchens and depths of the hotel” route was a good idea and Nick agreed whole heartedly. He loved his fans but there was nothing worse then having to stand and smile, be happy and sign autographs when you felt like crap. All he wanted was his bed, well Adie in his bed but yeah he could live without anything else for the moment.

“C’mon dude,” Marcus said when the car pulled to a stop in the loading bay of the hotel. Nick hauled himself out of the car and followed Marcus towards the elevators, leaning up against the corner of it when they got in. As he predicted it stopped right at the main lobby but luckily Marcus had pre-empted this and stood in front of Nick, slightly blocking him from view as the two girls got in. Nick knew from the get go that they weren’t Backstreet fans though, they would have recognised Marcus right away if they had been and he knew he could relax again, so he closed his eyes and leant his head back against the mirror, listening to their conversation.

“I say if he’s saying no just accidentally forget to take them, you know once your pregnant he’ll warm up to idea. I mean look at-”

Nick’s eyes snapped open at what he heard. No she wouldn’t do that, it wasn’t her style, then again what was to stop her? She was very head strong when it came to getting what she wanted, at achieving her goals and this was a big one of hers. She might have been skipping out on them for months, ever since their argument over it, Jesus how many times had they had sex since then? It wasn’t as much as they would have if he hadn’t of been touring but still it was enough, hell one time was enough. He put his face in his hands as he contemplated that repercussions of this, he could be a father, right now she could be pregnant.

If she was she would have made it known though, there’s no way she wouldn’t have told him the second she got off the plane, then again maybe she was and she didn’t know yet. Jesus this was one hell of a fucking mess, how was he supposed to ask her something like that? “Oh honey I heard these two girls talking and their plan sounded pretty much like something you might do to trap me into having a child, so are you?” Yeah he didn’t think it would go down to well either.

Pills! I If she was taking her pills she would have them here with her, he could count them, make sure. That was the safest way forward.

“Dude you okay?” Marcus asked when the elevator lurched to a stop at their floor.

“Just got a slight headache, I’m gona go lie down,” he said as he walked towards his room.

“Sure thing, I’ll knock you half an hour before we have to leave.”

Nick waved at him and then slid the key card in the door, pulling the handle down when the light turned green, holding his breath until he could see she wasn’t in the room. Sighing in relief when he realised she was in the shower when he heard the water running, that was good it gave him time to find the pills. He quickly went to it, finding her holdall, throwing it aside quickly when he realised it was empty, she liked to unpack everywhere she went, even if they were just staying for the night. That meant one of two things, it was either in her wash bag which would be with her in the bathroom or it would be in her purse.

He took the second option rummaging through the bag, smiling when he felt his hand locate the bottle in one of the side pockets. “Please let it be the pill, please let it be the pill.”

He sighed in relief, at least there were with her, now all he needed to do was count how many were in there, there shouldn’t be many that he knew for sure, she was always due on at the end of the month and they were well into May now. He carefully opened to top and shook the contents out into his palm, concentrating so much on not dropping any and counting he didn’t hear the water stop running and he was literally caught with his hands inside the cookie jar a few moments later.

“What are you doing?”

End Notes:
Let me know what you think!
Something that I already know by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Adie stumbles across Nick counting her contraceptive pill

 

If she didn’t get out of this shower soon she was going to end up looking like a wrinkled prune, it wasn’t helping her thought process anyway, she was still no clearer in deciding how she needed to proceed to sort this problem out. She quickly shut off the shower and grabbed the towel wrapping it around her middle while she got another and wrapped her long sopping locks in it before she climbed out and into the main part of the bathroom. She quickly towelled herself dry and threw on the pair of sweats and tank top, knowing that when Nick was back all he would want to do was crash on the bed for a few hours so there was no use wrinkling up what she was going to wear tonight.

She sprayed on some deodorant and then hung up the towel before she made her way out into the bedroom, frowning slightly when she spotted Nick who looked so deep in thought he hadn’t even heard her come in.

He jumped when she asked “What are you doing?”

“Nothing,” he replied far to quickly placing the handful of pills back into the bottle. He looked to guilty to be doing anything above board and that’s when she realised what the tablets in his hand were. All his pain meds had been in boxes, the only thing she knew were in a bottle like that were her contraceptive pill, so why the hell did he have them out?

“Your pain meds are over there,” she pointed out his gaze following her finger to the nightstand next to his side of the bed.

“Oh yeah,” he said placing the bottle back in her bag before he walked over and popped two off the pills quickly, but if he thought she was going to let this go he was so wrong, she was intrigued at his behaviour now.

“So why did you…” as soon as his back stiffened she realised what she had caught him doing and she threw the towel she had been roughly drying her hair with on the bed. “I can’t fucking believe you!”

“What?” He fired back turning to her.

“You were counting them weren’t you?!” She accused shaking her head in disgust at him.

“No I wasn’t. Why would I do that?” He lied unsuccessfully, he could never met her eye when he lied and it was just convenient the way he turned away from her when he uttered the words.

“Oh at least have the decency to own up to what you were doing, I caught you fucking red handed!” She yelled.

“Fine okay I was,” he said standing up and holding his arms up in defeat.

“Why?” She asked softly, her brow wrinkling in confusion but he just kept quiet. “Do you not trust me?” Again he kept quiet and diverted his gaze down to the floor. He was so child like when it came to stuff like this, especially when he was in the wrong, he would try and avoid the situation which made her ever madder. “Have I ever given you a reason to not trust me?”

“No,” he mumbled.

“Then why did you feel the need to check that I was still taking my pill?” She almost yelled again her confusion turning into agitation.

“Because after what we were talking about it would be damn easy for you to spring a pregnancy on me,” he said ducking when she threw a remote at him. “Well that’s mature!”

“Don’t you dare say that to me! MATURE! YOU’RE FUCKING MATURE ARE YOU?!!” She yelled. “You know what? I have put up with the rest of your shit Nick but I won’t stand for this. How dare you go behind my back like that? This just go to show how much you don’t want to be with me, how uncommitted you are to this relationship.”

“Here we go again,” he said rolling his eyes.

“Excuse me? Here we go again? What the hell is that supposed to mean?” She asked angrily crossing her arms.

“Every argument we have it always comes back to me and my lack of commitment to you. Commitment doesn’t equal marriage and babies Adie I’ve done a lot to show I love you, to show that I want to be with you. You’re just pissed off that you’re not getting your own way,” he accused.

“Not getting my own way? Well then you’re pissed off that I’m not bowing down to your every wish like you’ve been so used to in the past, that I’m not just going to roll over and let you walk all over me!”

“That’s where your wrong because that’s what I love about you,” he admitted.

She rolled her eyes and shook her head at him before replying, “Yeah you’re so in love with me.”

“Well tell me how you define love? What I can do to show that I love you because I’m obviously not doing a good enough job at the moment am I?”

“You already know,” She told him as she sat down on the bed and began rough drying her hair again.

“And we’re back to the marriage thing again,” he sighed. She didn’t reply, just kept on drying her hair but he could tell she was crying, even if he couldn’t see her face or hear her he knew and he hated that he was the cause of that. He gently sat down on the bed and reached out to rub her arm but she pulled away quickly, moving over to the chair in the corner of the room. “I am committed to you,” he told her when she just stared at him with her red rimmed eyes. “I moved halfway across the country for you, accepted that we were going to have time apart, I quit partying for you.”

“Yeah but we all know there was another reason for that though don’t we?” She said raising her eyebrows challengingly to him, wrapping her arms around herself.

“I knew you were going to throw that in my face,” he spat back standing up from the bed. “It was three years ago, it was over before it started, I’ve changed Adie.”

“Still cheated though didn’t you?” She challenged.

“Yeah. Is that what you want to hear? You want me to admit it again? Okay I will, she gave me head, I was drunk, pissed off at you and I made a mistake. If I hurt you that badly why did you take me back?” He asked.

“I’m beginning to ask myself the same question,” she replied not missing how hurt he looked when she admitted that but she was too pissed off to apologise and so she just looked away, staring out the window.

“I don’t understand you. You’re obviously not happy with me and the life we have at the moment so I don’t know why you’re in such a rush to run down the isle when it quite clearly wouldn’t last.”

“What do you mean by that?” She asked turning again to face him.

“A piece of paper and a ring are not going to change anything Adie, our problems are still going to be there and I don’t want to make that mistake with you,” he softly admitted bending down in front of her, his hands rubbing the tops of her thighs.

“I just want to know that I’m not wasting my time.”

“I love you,” he said taking her hand and kissing the top of it, “I’ve always loved you,” he said turning it over and kissing her palm, “ and I’m always going to love you,” he said reaching up to dry the few tears that had spilled before leaning in to kiss her. She leant into it at first but as soon as his hand began to creep towards her centre she pulled away knowing she couldn’t allow herself to go through with it, if she did that would mean he would have won.

“No,” she said trying to push him away but he was stronger and just trailed his kisses down her neck.

“Let me show you how much I love you,” he mumbled.

“NO!” She said pushing him more forcefully, making him fall to the floor in a heap before she climbed over him. “You don’t get to do that, you can’t just expect to sleep with me and make all this go away. I… think we need some time apart,” she said with a shaky breath.

“Time apart?” he sarcastically laughed. “I think that’s the cause of our problems, how the hell are we supposed to sort through them when we’re apart?”

“Well we’re not exactly sorting through them when we’re together are we?” She challenged.

He stood up and made his way to her slowly, “Look after tomorrow we’re going to be apart for another three weeks and then I’m home and we’re going to go to therapy and we’re going to sort through this, I promise.”

“I’ve been asked to go to Nepal,” she admitted not looking at him.

“Nepal? What’s in Nepal?” He asked confused.

“There’s a group that go every year, they perform cardiac surgery for free on kids out there who need it, they need ITU nurses with experience and I’ve been asked to go.”

“How long for?” He asked.

“Two months.”

“You don’t have any holiday left from work,” he pointed out.

“I can take unpaid leave.”

“So that means by the time you get back I’m going to be well into the American leg of the tour, so when are we ever going to sort through this? Why haven’t you told me Nepal was a possibility before now?” he asked.

“I didn’t know it was until today,” she admitted and instantly, with the way his facial features hardened, she knew he had pieced everything together.

“Mark asked you didn’t he?” he snidely asked shaking his head in distain. “After the way he treated you, you still think his shit doesn’t stink don’t you?”

“Oh don’t tell me your jealous, he’s married,” she retailed.

“Being with someone didn’t stop him from screwing around on you though did it?”

“Didn’t you fucking stop you either did it?” Adie threw back at him.

“Mine wasn’t for six months though, and I came to you and admitted what I had done, I didn’t let you catch me in bed with one of your best friends. I can’t believe you call him your friend, let alone still talk to him. You are not going to Nepal.”

“I’m not going? Really? And how are you going to stop me?” She laughed.

“I saw the way he was looking at you, he still loves you and don’t try and deny that you don’t have feelings for him.”

“Yeah there are still feelings there, he’s a friend Nick and that’s all. He’s married and even if he did try something on do you really think I would want to put another women through what I went through, that I would put you through that? I’m not as callous as you are, I don’t let my vagina rule my head. I know what it feels like to be cheated on and I wouldn’t want any other person to go through that humiliation,” she told him.

“One fucking time!”

“It should have been zero you should have loved me enough to say no!” She screamed back.

“Then you should love me enough to say no to Nepal,” he countered raising his eyebrows to her.

“If I asked you to quit this tour for me would you?” His silence was enough of an answer to her. “Yeah I didn’t think so!”

“This is different, this is my job,” he told her.

“Yeah well I would be going to Nepal to help sick kids Nick, not to screw Mark behind your back.”

“I just don’t think now is the time to do this, I think we need some time to try and sort through things, I don’t want us to fall apart,” He admitted his voice cracking slightly but by the time she looked to him he was facing away from her looking out the window.

“Then talk to me, tell me how you feel, open up to me,” she said walking over to him wrapping her arms around his waist from behind resting her forehead against his back.

“I can’t, not here, I’ve already told you that, we don’t have enough time anyway,” he mumbled as he rested his hands on top of hers and he moved back slightly before pulling her to rest in front of him. He pulled her arms up so they were wrapped around his neck as he leant down to kiss her again but she pulled away making him sigh.

“I said no.”

“It will de-stress you,” he tried.

“You mean it will for you, well there are plenty of groupies down stairs who I’m sure would jump at the chance.”

“Then maybe I’ll go down there and find one,” he retaliated knowing he had gone one step too far when she stared him down for a few seconds before grabbing her purse and shoes and stalked off in the direction of the door.

“You know what? You can fucking have them!” She said as she violently opened the door and almost crashed into Alex and her sister.

“Adie, I didn’t mean…just come back!” he yelled after her but it was no use and he watched as she rounded the corner.

“Go after her,” Rachel told Alex.

“You go after her she’s your sister, she’s not going to talk to me,” he replied.

“Well I’m really going to be able to catch up to her aren’t I?” She said pointing to her large stomach.

“Fine,” he said as he took off down the hallway.

“You and I are going to have a little talk,” she told Nick as she pushed him back inside the room and closed the door watching as he fell face first into the bed. “Nick?…Nick do not try and smother yourself to try and get out of this conversation!” She joked making him move and look at her a small smirk on his face before he let a few tears fall. Those tears made Rachel frown in concern, god now he was showing his emotions in front of the wrong sister, people weren’t supposed to see him when he got like this, it showed he was weak, people would play on that, would use it against him.

“I’m loosing her Rach,” he whispered as he pushed himself into the sitting position on the bed, moving over so she would have enough room to sit next to him.

“Why do you say that?” She asked as she slowly lowered herself down on to the bed and when he tried to hide a giggle she shot him a look, “don’t even start I get enough of the fat jokes from Alex!”

“Well you are looking pretty big now, guess you shouldn’t have eaten half of my cake should you!”

“Whatever and stop trying to change the subject. What happened?” She asked.

He sighed and look towards the window, wondering whether Alex had managed to catch up with her, because she could be pretty fast when she wanted to get away. “We got in a fight,” he shrugged.

“Well that much was obvious!”

“She kinda…well she uh caught me counting her pill,” he mumbled quickly dropping his eyes to the comforter before him but he still saw the shake of Rachel’s head and heard her exasperated sigh.

“Nick…why?” She asked.

“I’m not ready for that yet.”

“But has she ever given you a reason to not trust her? Has she ever given you any indication that she would do that, that she would get purposely pregnant to try and trap you?” Rachel asked pulling his face so that he had to look at her.

“No,” he said softly his cheeks blushing scarlet. The more he thought about it the more childish and irrational he realised he had been, but this was an argument that had been brewing for months anyway so maybe it was better that this had happened.

“Then why do something like that?”

“I don’t know Rach? Maybe my fever is making me delusional? Maybe I know she isn’t happy? She wants us to be married and have a family so badly but…but I…” his voice was so close to breaking, he could feel the hot angry tears at the back of his eyes and he quickly turned from the women sat beside him, not wanting her to see him like he was.

“But you what? Come on Nick tell me or tell her,” she said placing a comforting hand on his shoulder.

“I want to… so badly Rachel, I really do but I’ve been hurt in the past, so many people have played on my emotions…”

“I know that and she knows that too but you can only keep saying that for so long…the longer you keep using that line the more pissed off she is going to get because your basically saying to her you don’t trust her. What you did today would have been a big slap in the face,” she told him firmly making him turn his head back to her to try and defend himself.

“I’m trying okay?” He said his voice rising slightly as he got up off the bed. “I asked her to come to therapy with me, I gave her a promise ring but I know that wasn’t enough, she thinks she hid the look on her face when I gave it too her, she thinks I don’t see her looking at it then to your wedding ring,” he angrily said pointing to the band on Rachel’s left hand.

“Okay…alright just calm down okay? Do you want me to talk to her? To try and explain?” She offered.

“No…she’ll just…it won’t change anything…we both want different things,” he said leaning his head against the window, straightening up slightly when he saw Alex walking across the road with Adie, at least he caught up with herhe thought to himself.

“What do you want Nick?” God she was the first person to ask him that in what seemed like forever and he truly didn’t know. Yes a loving family that he had helped to create would be great but there was just too much risk, he saw what happened when the idealistic picture disintegrated, saw what it did to the children and he would not be willing to put anyone through what he had been through himself.

“Her. I just want her Rach.”

Deep down he knew that that wasn’t enough for Adie and in his heart of hearts he knew that this was all going to come to end.

***

 

“ADIE!” Alex called for the third time as he caught up to her on the stairs, grabbing her arm. She tried to shrug him off but he held on firmly, pulling her into his embrace when she broke down and started sobbing.

“I can’t do this anymore Alex,” she hiccupped after a while.

“C’mon we’ll go and talk,” he said as he grabbed for her hand to try and take her back up to the sixteenth floor where they were all staying, but she resisted, pulling her hand out of his as she shook her head.

“I’m not going back up there. I need to get out of here,” she said swiping the tears from here eyes.

“You need to sort this out,” Alex tried.

“Not right now I don’t, if I go back up there this is just going to get worse, I’m so angry at him right now,” she said bitterly.

“Well then talk to me about it, we don’t have to go back upstairs we can go someplace else,” he added quickly when he saw the hesitation in her eyes.

She sighed and then nodded letting him lead her out of the hotel and across the road and ten minutes later she was sat in a secluded area of Hyde Park, Alex walking towards her with two coffees. He handed her one and she smiled a small thanks as she accepted and watched him sit down on the grass next to her. She was surprised when he didn’t ask her about the fight she had just had with Nick right away, instead choosing to look around his surroundings, taking in all the other people who were grabbing the opportunity to bask in the English sunshine while it lasted.

“I miss it here,” she told him, breaking the comfy silence.

“London’s cool, you know apart from the rain,” he said nodding his head in agreement.

“It doesn’t always rain Alex,” she told him with a small smile as she took a sip from her coffee.

“You know most times I’ve been here the weather had actually been like this,” he admitted making her laugh. “So why do you miss it?”

“To be honest I don’t really know, when I lived here I used to moan like hell. I hated the smog, the traffic, being so far from home, the fact that they didn’t have oreos over here then. I just have a lot of good memories here though, a lot of good friends.”

“A Fiancée,” he continued for her. She hadn’t been expecting that at all and she knew she wouldn’t be able to hide her shocked expression, her eyes widening in shock and her mouth gaping open slightly would have been the dead giveaway it was true.

“How did you know that?” She whispered but she didn’t give him anytime to answer, “Actually I don’t know why I asked that, you married my sister with the huge mouth,” she scowled.

“Does Nick know you were engaged to Mark?” He asked as he lit up a cigarette.

Did Nick know? God if he knew then their fight earlier would have been a hell of a lot worse, so no Nick wasn’t aware that at one time, be it only for a short two weeks, she had been engaged to Mark Preston. Her parents didn’t even know, the people who did were a few of her ex work colleagues and Rachel, she had wanted to tell her folks in person but luckily enough she found out about Marks infidelity before she could. She called the whole thing off when she caught him in bed with her so called best friend and she had never felt so humiliated in her life when she found out his sordid affair had been going on for six months behind her back. She supposed it was her own fault really, after all he had done it to her previously, but she had been stupid enough to let him back in.

After she walked in on the pair and felt the burning humiliated tears build up she vowed never again, she would never let someone treat her like that and then worm their way back in just like he had managed to do. It was then she realised she had gone back on that vow though, Nick had managed to worm his way back in and once again here she was unhappy with the direction of her life.

“Of course Nick doesn’t know. That’s not why were fighting though.”

“Are you sure?” he asked questioningly.

“Maybe a little, I mean…Mark was at GOS this morning but nothing happened. I mean why would it? I’m with Nick and Mark is married and the bastard cheated on me with my best friend so why would I go back to that?”

“Nick cheated on you too though didn’t he?” And for the second time today Alex surprised her with how much he knew.

“You know about that too?” She asked a little shocked.

“Adie, Nick is not subtle when it comes to stuff like that. If Mark hurt you so badly with the cheating why did you take Nick back?” He asked taking another long drag of his cigarette.

“Because I loved him.”

“Loved?” he asked questioningly turning to face her, his dark eyes staring so intently she had to look down to her lap, the silence engulfing them once again. “Do you not love him now?”

“I…I don’t know. I don’t know whether I’m just feeling like this because of all the crap we’ve been through lately or whether it’s because we both want different things. I know I don’t feel like I used to about him…I care about…I,” she trailed off as her eyes began to sting with the tears she was trying so hard to repress.

“Look I don’t feel the same way about Rach anymore, not like I did in the beginning. People change Adie, as you get to know them your perceptions about them change, we’ve all got our game faces on when we’re in a new relationship, trouble is you cant keep them on forever, believe me I’ve tried,” he chuckled. “You just have to hope when all the excitement of being in that new relationship fades that, there is something there, that you love the other person for them and not for who they were trying to be.”

“Well that’s the problem right there,” she said exasperated, throwing her hands up in defeat when a few tears fell. “I don’t feel like I know the real him, he won’t let me in and I’ve tried to hard Alex, I really have but I’m losing patience’s now. If he cant trust me enough to let me in and let me see his venerable side then what the hell is the point?”

“I know where you’re coming from and I totally understand but he does love you Adie, he really does. Nick’s just been shit on for years, even before his parents spilt he was closing off his emotions, he’s been played so many times. His Mother was the worlds worst for doing it,” He tried to tell her but she had heard it all before.

Her only thoughts now were on the ominous song that they had been singing when she walked out of the sound check earlier today.

 

I'm looking back and wondering why
It took so long to realize
That nothing's changed, it never will
All these years of standing still
And still we stay in all this pain
And nothing's gonna make it go away

I don't wanna wait another minute
Put me out of my misery
I can read your mind baby you're not in it
And we're not what we used to be
No you wouldn't have to lie to me
If you would only let me go
And I don't wanna wait another minute to hear
Something that I already know
I know, I know, I know
Something that I already know
I know, I know, I know


So save your voice
Don't waste your breath
Can't you see we're at the end
And this goodbye is permanent
So wish me well and try to forget


And all the fights
And all the ways
We almost made it
But we never did
And it's finally come to this

 

Song Credit: Backstreet Boys - Something that I already know

End Notes:
Let me know what you think!
Just another rainey day in London by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

The argument continues leading to some startling behavior from Adie

She hadn’t gone back when Alex had asked her to, instead choosing to walk around Hyde Park and try and enjoy the beautiful warm sunny weather in the city that had so much of her history. So much bad history she realised as she walked around the huge man made lake. Maybe she should have just steered clear, maybe that was why she hadn’t come back sooner, maybe going to Great Ormond Street yesterday had been a mistake, then again it wasn’t her going to GOS that had caused the argument, it had been Nick and his lack of trust. Thinking about that whole argument once again made her tense up, she could literally feel the headache brewing, all she wanted to do was forget but it just wasn’t that simple.

Forgetting never worked, she could repress, but not forget, after all she could still vividly remember the night he came clean about his infidelity, every time she thought about it she could still smell the vanilla candles she had been burning, could hear the plate that she threw at him smash against the wall, could see her own hurt and puffy red eyes when she had looked at herself in the mirror after she threw him out. That was where she had gone wrong, instead of having a back bone and telling him it was over, she had taken him back, albeit it took him a hell of a long time to make it up to her, but she had still let him.

September 2006

She opened the door and nearly slammed it back in his face but he managed to wedge his foot in the door jam and as hard as she tried she just wasn’t strong enough to move him once he managed to get his shoulder in to.

“Go away!” She angrily hissed.

“NO!” Came his reply.

“I told you it’s over!”

“Look I just want to talk to you, can’t we act like two civilised adults?” He asked.

She sighed heavily and slightly opened the door, making sure to close the open gap with her body so he couldn’t walk in to her apartment. He frowned when he realised that she wasn’t going to let him in, “You said you wanted to talk, so talk,” she told him.

“In the hall?” He questioned looking down the deserted entry way.

“What does it matter if it’s in the hall?”

“People might overhear,” he told her.

“Oh so you’re worried that people will find out you’re a cheating bastard? News flash Nick everyone already knows that!” She spat venomously, narrowing her eyes to focus on him, shaking her head when his cheeks flushed crimson and his eyes dropped to the bag in his hands.

“I’m sorry,” he apologised again softly.

“Yeah I’m sorry I ever let you into my life,” she replied not caring if she was hurting his feelings, after all he hadn’t seemed to care about hers when he had happily let someone else suck his dick.

“I made a mistake Adie, a big mistake and I promise I will never ever do it again,” he said his blue eyes pleading with her brown ones but she stood firm.

“That’s good, your next conquest will appreciate that,” she replied as she once again tried to close the door but again he was too quick for her, managing to keep it open with his hand.

“I don’t want anyone else, I just want you.”

“Well it’s too late, you had me, you lost me. Lets face it, all you are interested in is the chase, you only want me because you can’t have me. You might be used to treating women like crap, hell you’re probably used to them forgiving you once you flash them a smile and feed them empty lies but not this time Nick. It’s over!” She told him firmly.

“I’ve changed, I’m not who I was then,” he tried to tell her.

“You’ve changed? In six weeks you’ve changed?” She scoffed sceptically.

“Look I know I need to change, if this summer has taught me anything it’s that my life isn’t as rosy as everyone thinks it is, it’s not even as great as I think it is or thought it was. My life is a mess Adie, I know that, and I…when I was with you…I screwed up, that’s what I do,” he said shrugging his shoulders, dropping his eyes once again she he was no longer looking at her. “I get something good in my life and I mess it up, I don’t want to be that person anymore. Look I uh…I didn’t expect you to welcome me with open arms but I just thought I would let you know that I’ve just bought a place here.”

“You’re moving here?” She asked slightly shocked.

“Yeah, it’s about twenty minutes away but…I know I hurt you…I know I have no right to expect you to forgive me or even be my friend but I really love you and I want to change, for you I want to change. That’s all I came here to say and to give you this,” he said handing over the small gift bag he had been clutching. “I won’t bother you again.”

She watched as he turned from her and began walking down the hallway before she softly shut the door and leant her head against it, willing the tears not to fall. Why did things like this always happen to her? Did she have mug written across her forehead or something? If he was being honest about changing then didn’t he deserve a second chance, or was that just a load of crap to get her to take him back? She wasn’t sure but she knew she couldn’t just let him leave like that and so she opened the door, calling his name, making him turn when he reached the end of the hallway.

“If you’re going to make a change do it for yourself and not for anybody else,” she told him.

He smiled and nodded his head before he turned and carried on walking and that time she let him leave.

She had thought about what he said and the more she watched the video of him and her together, the video he had given her on that day, the more she realised that everyone makes mistakes, surely everyone deserved a second chance? That was what she had granted him, a second chance. Three weeks after he had shown up on her doorstep, she did the same to him, the conversation had been a lot different though, ending with her staying the night at his new place. Two months after that she had moved in with him. Maybe that was where they went wrong, maybe they had been to hasty, then again things had certainly slowed down now.

He had stayed true to his word though, she couldn’t fault him on that. He had made so many changes in his life, positive changes, his weight loss, his healthier lifestyle, his decrease in partying and she knew that even though he said he was doing it for himself he was doing it mainly for her. He had been right in what he said earlier, he was committed to her, so why wasn’t it enough? Why couldn’t she settle for what he had to offer her? Then again why should she? Why should she settle for second best?

Her mind then wondered onto the topic she had been avoiding for the past two months or so. If he couldn’t give her what she wanted what was she going to do about it? Deep down she had known the answer all along, she had put it off though, hoping for another change in Nick, hoping he would change his mind, hoping he would realise how much he wanted her while they were apart. Today had changed all that though, he didn’t trust her and with that he had lost her trust, her patience, and her understanding.

In essence he had lost her.

***

He slowly shuffled into the hotel room and was presently surprised when he found her asleep in the bed, her long brunette hair cascading around her pillow, the duvet pulled up around her neck. He had been certain that her not attending the concert was a sure sign she had left but yet her she was, tucked up in his bed. He loved to watch her sleep, always had, her features were always so soft, she always looked so peaceful and that when he noticed the bags under her eyes, that she looked stressed even though she was sleeping, he was the cause of that.

He sighed when he moved across the room and began to undress. He didn’t want her to leave in two days, it wasn’t enough time to sort through this, yes they had all day tomorrow to sit and talk, but the evening was Alex’s gig and then she was leaving early to catch a flight back to Nashville while he was heading to Latvia. He was so sick of all of this, of being apart, of barely talking, all he wanted was to go home and do nothing but be with her for a few weeks, it would be at least another month before he could do that though. God that was if she didn’t go to Nepal, if she decided to do that then they were looking at the end of September and with the way things were he wasn’t sure they would last that long.

Tomorrow he needed to speak to her, he needed to explain why he did what he did, he needed to apologise, they needed to part happy, not brooding on this argument but right now all he needed was sleep and so he climbed into the bed beside her whispering, “I love you, god I love you so much.”

She opened her eyes at his words, she knew he thought she was sleeping but she was far from it. She felt him turn in the bed, his back now facing towards her and a few moments later heard his quiet snores.

Then and only then did she let the silent tears fall.

I wanted something
That's purer than the water
Like we were

It's not there now
Ineloquence and anger
Are all we have

Like Saturn's rings
An icy loop around me
Too hard to hold

Lash out first
At all the things we don't like
Or understand

And it's beginning to get to me
That I know more of the stars and sea
Than I do of what's in your head
Barely touching in our cold bed

***

He woke up the next morning when he heard her shuffling around the room, surely it couldn’t be time to get up yet? He felt like his head had only hit the pillow ten minutes ago but when he finally managed to open one eye Nick was surprised to find that the room was bright, the open window letting in the warm sunshine. He sighed and rolled over rubbing the sleep from his eyes and then focused on her.

She was sat at the small table, reading a newspaper and sipping on what he presumed to be a cup of steaming coffee. She was dressed in a light white linen knee length skirt, a red halter neck top, her hair pulled back so it was off her neck, a pair of large sunglasses sitting a top her head. She still hadn’t realised he was watching her as she tucked one of her feet up underneath her, getting more comfortable, a small sigh escaping her lips as she fiddled with her ponytail with one hand, something she always did when she was concentrating, next the hand came down and her pinkie finger ended up in her mouth as she lightly chewed on the nail. She was so predictable, or was it just because he knew her so well? He knew next that finger would come out of her mouth and she would inspect her hand, scrunching up her nose when she got a good look at her chewed nails.

He loved to watch her, especially when she didn’t know he was. He loved all of her kooky traits, they way she would laugh out loud at stupid things, yell at the TV in frustration at medical programmes, cry at the drop of a hat at commercials, the way her eyes would sparkle when he told her he loved her. Lately though that sparkle had disappeared, he felt as though he didn’t even know the person who sat before him. All they ever seemed to do was argue. They needed to fix that.

He was just about to sit up and tell her that he loved her, that he was sorry about what had happened yesterday but his chest protested at being kept in such a flat position over night and he ended up having a massive coughing fit. His hacking obviously caught her attention and she was by his side in an instant, patting his back once he managed to sit up. Once he stopped she didn’t say anything just got up and walked into the bathroom. Great so I’m going to get the silent treatment all day now!

She returned quickly a glass of water in her hand, “Drink this,” she said offering it to him. He took it eagerly and downed nearly the whole glass wondering how he hadn’t realised how thirsty he was earlier. “Better?” She asked sitting down next to him on the bed again.

“Yeah, thanks,” he smiled, closing his eyes when she touched her hand to his forehead.

“You don’t feel as hot now, maybe you’re over the worst,” she said removing her hand.

“Yeah, maybe,” he agreed. “Are you…are you okay?” He asked hesitantly.

“I’m fine,” she said monotonically as she removed herself from their close proximity by standing and grabbing her purse, fishing around for her cell phone when she heard it go off signalling she had a text message.

“Are you sure? You know I’m sorry about yesterday don’t you? Did you get my messages?” He asked, knowing that there was no way she could not have gotten the three voicemails and twelve text messages he had sent her.

“Yeah,” she replied as she read what someone had sent her.

“Are we going to talk about it?” He probed becoming slightly angered at her disinterest.

“Maybe later, I need to get going if I’m going to met Lou in time,” she said shoving the phone back in her purse quickly, throwing the strap over her shoulder as she looked for her flip flops.

“You’re going out?” he asked confused.

“Yeah,” she replied, not looking at him as she found her shoes and placed her feet into them.

“Don’t you think we should talk?” He asked again swinging his legs round so they were now placed on the floor.

She sighed before turning and looking at him, “I need to speak to her about Nepal.” She sighed again and shook her head when he scoffed at her. “Don’t start Nick,” she warned.

“So we’re not even going to talk about this? You’ve just decided that you’re going? I don’t get a say?”

“No you don’t. It’s two months Nick, it’s not like it’s a year long tour,” she bit back.

“It’s my job Adie,” he told her again, rubbing his face with his hands.

“Yeah and this is my job.“

“What time will you be back?” He asked.

“Not sure.”

“Can we go to dinner? Talk there?” He offered.

“You’ve got the restaurant opening,” she reminded, “I’ll be back in time for Alex’s show,” and with that she walked turned and walked out of the door, not even saying a goodbye and when he heard the door slam he fell back against the bed, letting out a frustrated moan.

***

“What’s with you?” Brian asked as they posed for pictures outside the newly opened Gaucho Restaurant in the 02 Arena.

“Nothing,” Nick replied as he plastered on his “I’m so happy to be here” look, when in reality all he wanted to be doing was sorting things with Adie. Thinking back to their encounter this morning he realised that she had just used this as an excuse and if he hadn’t have been still half asleep he would have told he would cancel this. He hadn’t though and now he knew she was thinking that work was more important then her, just another nail in the ever looming coffin that seemed to hold their relationship.

“Yeah right,” Howie chastised as he also smiled for the photographers.

“Are we actually going to stay and eat?” Nick asked trying to change the subject, he really wasn’t in the mood for steak or for posing for pictures with fans who happened to be eating and was hoping it was like the many film premieres he had been to. Make a quick appearance, smile for the cameras walk in through the front door and then straight out the back.

“I could go for steak,” Brian shrugged.

“Yeah I’m hungry, why are you not?” Howie asked as they were ushered inside and Nick just shrugged. “Well what else are you going to do? Go and bug Alex before the show?”

“No…I was going to go back to the hotel,” he said.

“She’s not there,” Rachel said as she walked up behind the guys, Denise beside her. “I am so in the mood for steak, when I said I could eat a cow earlier… I really meant that,” she joked with Denise making her laugh.

“Who invited you?” Brian joked poking her stomach.

“Don’t take that tone with me Littrell, I’ll sit on your ass!”

“Why isn’t she there?” Nick asked tugging at Rachel’s arm to get her attention.

“Beats me,” she shrugged as they were seated, “She just text me and asked if I could bring her leather jacket with me. She’s just brooding Nick, she’ll be fine once she gets here, she’ll have just needed time to think today,” she tried to reassure but the thinking was what he was worried about.

***

“FUCK MARSHA IN THE EYE!”

She was so drunk, so, so drunk, that was the only reason she was screaming along to the song and swaying out of time, normally he wouldn’t of had a problem with it, everyone had to let go and enjoy themselves occasionally but tonight…she was starting to embarrass herself.

She had turned up twenty minutes late missing some of the show and from the moment she staggered up the stairs he knew she had been drinking, she was so much more at ease with him, with everyone. He had been taken aback when she made her way over to him and announced that she wasn’t wearing panties and how long was she going to have to wait to get a drink. He knew better then to tell her he thought she had had enough and quickly grabbed her a vodka and coke, her flirtatious attitude towards the bar tender ensured that her glass was kept topped up all night. Normally it would have turned him on but given the circumstances he was just getting more and more pissed off.

She had avoided him purposely all day, ignored his calls when he wanted to know what time she would be back and now she was acting like nothing had happened. He knew that in the morning she would be back to how she was earlier with a hangover on top, it was her way of ensuring they didn’t get a chance to talk.

“WOOOOOHHHHHHH, YEAH! FUCK NICK IN THE EYE!” She yelled and he saw how she looked to him out of the corner of her eye, a smirk escaping her lips, purposely trying to get a rise out of him.

“Don’t react to it,” Leigh warned grabbing at his arm when he made a move towards her.

“She’s embarrassing herself.”

“Let her embarrass herself, here hold this a second,” she said handing him her glass as she took of her shoes, screaming in surprise when she felt the cold ice fall down the front of her top. “BASTARD!”

“Payback is a bitch Leigh,” he laughed.

“What? What payback? What did I do to you?” She asked trying to fish it out of her top.

“All the prank phone calls you and Howie gave me, all the heavy breathing,” he reminded.

“That wasn’t us,” she said smiling when she successfully retrieved the ice, “That was Rachel and Alex, they kept doing it to us too.”

“He told me it was you guys, that bastard, oh he is so going to get it now,” he smirked as he took more ice from her glass and began throwing it at his band member who was currently on stage, giggling widely when he actually hit him. The jesting carried on for a good half an hour until Nick’s fingers started feeling numb and when he spotted Adie flirting with the bar tender, leaning over the bar giving him a nice view of her cleavage.

“I think you’ve had enough to drink,” he told her as calmly as he could after he made his way over to her.

“I think…..you’re WRONG!” she slurred, almost tripping over her own feet as she made her way back to the edge of the balcony. He sighed heavily taking another long swig of his own beer before making his way back towards the crowd. She was becoming louder and more rambunctious by the minute and a few people towards the back actually kept turning to tell her to shut up.

“Can you tone it down a bit?” Nick asked her.

“I’m having a good time!” She exclaimed necking the rest of her drink.

“Yeah but people have come here to see Alex sing not you. You’re distracting.”

“And your not?! You…throwing ice at him,” she hiccupped pointing an accusing finger. “I’m just showing a bit of suppor…singing along…like karry…karry…where you sing along!” She told him as she placed her empty glass onto the table behind them. “Distracting would be doing this!”

He couldn’t believe his eyes, he really and truly couldn’t and he wasn’t the only one, Rachel’s mouth not the only one gapping open in shock and surprise. He could hear Alex’s chuckle reverberate around the room when he obviously caught sight of what was going on but Nick cut her short but quickly yanking her top down and grabbing her arm pulling her towards the nearest exit.

“You’re hurting me!” She whined when they were outside but he didn’t answer just kept on pulling her along. “Nick let go of me!” She yelled, yanking her arm free from his grip. “What the hell is wrong with you? That’s gona bruise,” she said rubbing her arm.

“What the hell is wrong with me?! What the fuck was that?” He asked angrily his face red.

“They’re called boobs, you of all people should know what they are, you’ve seen enough!” She said. He didn’t reply just grabbed for her hand and began marching her towards the exit of the arena where he knew there would be taxi’s. “Where are we going?” She asked trying to free herself of his hand but he kept a tighter grip.

“Back to the hotel and you are going to bed to sleep this off.”

“No I’m not.”

“YES you are,” he told her as they reached the taxi’s.

“NO! I’m not, you’re not my father you can’t boss me around, you might be king of the pop world but you’re not king of my world!” She told him swaying slightly.

“Yeah don’t I know that. Look at you, you can barely stand,” he told her throwing his hands up in exasperation.

“So?” she shrugged.

He shook his head in disgust before telling her to “get in the car.”

“No.”

“Get in the car Adie!”

“I’m not going anywhere with you.”

“You know what? Fine don’t but you’re not going back in there, so you either stay here or come back to the hotel.”

“I’m not going back to the hotel.”

“Then where are you going to go?” He challenged and instantly he realised he had made a mistake.

“I should have stayed out with Lou tonight when she asked,” she hiccupped swiping the tear that fell away.

“Then go,” he said out stretching his arm, pointing to the cab. “GO! Cause right now I can’t stand to be around you!”

He watched as she stared him down for a few seconds before turning, very unsteadily and clambering into the nearest cab only when it was out of sight did he let out a frustrated yell, kicking the nearest lamp post in agitation.

“Women problems?” A random guy asked.

“How’d do you guess?” Nick asked sarcastically.

“Smoke?” He asked offering the pack to Nick. He had quit for two years but if he ever needed one, no craved one, it was now and he gladly accepted with a smile of thanks, lighting up and closing his eyes as he took the first drag.

“Thanks.”

“No problem. So are you going to follow her?” He asked.

“I have no idea where she’s gone,” he shrugged.

“Won’t her phone be in her bag?” he asked pointing to the small clutch that Nick had thought to pick up when they left the club. “Couldn’t you call the Lou person?”

Nick took another drag of the cigarette before fishing around inside the purse, finding her phone almost immediately, sending a quick text message to a person he had never met. He stood and chatted for a few minutes before he felt the phone vibrate.

She’s just turned up. I live at 101 Sandringham road, flat 20. I won’t tell her you’re coming.

He read the message and quickly flipped the phone shut, stubbing out the reminder of the cigarette, thanking the guy and getting into his own cab, only hoping that there was going to be something left to salvage when he finally caught up with Adie.

 

 

I can feel the colour running
As it's running from my face
Try to speak but nothings coming
Nothing I could say to make you stay
Grabbed your suitcase called a taxi
It's 3am now where you gonna go?
Gonna stay with friends in London
And that's all I get to know

Just a cigarette gone
No you couldn't' be that far
So I'm driving in my car
Where I hope you are
Maybe I can talk you down
Maybe I can talk you down

We're standing on a tiny ledge
Before this goes over the edge
Gonna use my heart and not my head
And try to open up your eyes
This is relationship suicide

Song Credits: Snow Patrol - It’s beginning to get to me

The Script - Talk you down

End Notes:
Please let me know what you think!
When it all comes crashing down (Reprise) by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Adie finally decides enough is enough and Nick doesn't have the home coming he was hoping for

 

Adie looked at the clock and then back to the ceiling before she closed her eyes tightly shut and thought some more, overall though she knew what her decision was going to be, all she had to do now was find the courage to actually go through with it. She knew she had to do this and maybe it would have been easier to have moved out as soon as she got back three weeks previously but she had left it till the last possible day, in fact she was over by a day. He had been due back yesterday but unforeseen circumstances at Heathrow had delayed him, maybe it was a sign because if he had arrived home when he should have she wouldn’t have been ready to leave and she knew he would have been able to convince her to stay.

Her mind was made up though, ever since their last night together in London their fate had been decided.

London May 2008

She knew when she heard the knocking at the door it had to be him, after all Lou was ready for bed, and hadn’t even been expecting her, question was how the hell did he find her?

“Please don’t let him in,” she begged her friend.

“Adie…he…whatever this fight was about you need to work it out,” she told her, placing a supportive hand on her shoulder.

“We’ve been trying, it hasn’t worked,” she sniffed, flinching when he knocked again. Louise bit her lip in hesitation as she looked at the door and then back to her tears stained friend.

“Look I’ve got no problem with you staying here just at least let him in to tell him that, have a quick conversation, say you’re too drunk to talk about this now and you’ll be back in the morning. Can you do that?” She asked as his banging started becoming constant.

“Yeah,” she breathed shakily.

She watched Lou disappear and heard him say a quick hello and then she braced herself as he walked into the room. He didn’t look angry, he actually managed a small lopsided smile when he spotted her and she let out another shaky breath when he dropped down in front of her, resting his hands on her thighs for balance.

“Hi,” he whispered.

“Hey.”

“I’ll be in the kitchen if you need anything,” Lou smiled at the pair before vacating the room.

“How did you find me?” She asked looking back to him.

“I had your purse, your cell was in it,” he told her rubbing one of her thighs.

“I’m sorry for what I did, I shouldn’t have. I don’t know…I was just doing it to piss you off,” she admitted looking away from him, “I’ll apologise to Alex tomorrow.”

He nodded with a small smile, “I don’t think he minded, you have nice boobs,” he shrugged, even managing to get a small smile from her. “We’ve got a lot to work through huh?” He asked making her nod and wipe at her eyes when a few tears started to fall. “Baby,” he sighed wiping at them as well before he leaned in to her wrapping his arms around her shoulders and pulling her towards his chest.

“It shouldn’t be this hard Nick,” she hiccupped, wrapping her arms around his waist.

“I know but we’ll get through this, nobody’s relationship is great all the time, everybody has rough patches. Are you…are you still going to go to Nepal?” he asked slowly.

She pulled back from him with a sigh, “Nick-”

He cut her off quickly, “If you want to go then go, but I just think the timing…you know it could be better. Don’t they do this every year?” he asked and she nodded, “Well couldn’t you do it next year? Couldn’t we just spend some time together when I get back? I think we need that,” he told her, wincing slightly when he stood up and both his knees cracked.

“You’re going to pay for that in the morning,” she commented taking his hand in hers, avoiding his question.

He shrugged with a smile, “I’ve got my nurse. I do still have you don’t I?”

She squeezed his hand and nodded slowly, knowing now was not the time to tell him that she wasn’t sure.

“Are you going to come back to the hotel? I’d like it if you would,” he said before she could answer. “I know this trip has been a total bust but I’m not going to get to see you for three weeks now, I need to wake up with you in the morning.”

 

Just a cigarette gone
No you couldn't' be that far
So I'm driving in my car
Where I hope you are
Maybe I can talk you down
Maybe I can talk you down

We're standing on a tiny ledge
Before this goes over the edge
Gonna use my heart and not my head
And try to open up your eyes
This is relationship suicide

 

She had ended up going back to the hotel with him and he got his wish about waking up next to her but she hadn’t slept at all. It was there in that hotel room that she decided, with Nick sleeping soundly next to her, that she couldn’t do it anymore, she couldn’t live that life. Maybe that was why their parting the following day had been more emotional then ever before.

He had seen her to the airport, walked her as far as he could go and she had clung to him when he pulled her in to hold her, sobbing into his chest.

“It’s three weeks, we’ve done longer then this babe,” he had tried to soothe, rubbing her back in a circular motion. To him her emotions were just due to the fight they had, to the thought of being separated again, he didn’t realise she was getting so upset because she knew this would be the last time she would see him like this. The next time she would crush his world, crush their world.

Was it wrong that her last words to him were, “I love you”?

She braced herself as she looked at the clock, he would be leaving shortly, she had just received the message from her sister they were all at Heathrow airport waiting to board. That meant he would still have to get a connecting flight from Florida, it also meant that she would have been gone for at least twenty four hours when he arrived home to find the house empty. She swallowed down the lump in her throat and sat down on the edge of their luxurious queen sized bed, letting herself sink into the comfy mattress, she wondered if this was the right thing to do. If it was then why was she having such a difficult time with her conscious?

He loved her, she knew that, he loved her like no one else ever had, had provided for her in a way that no one else ever could. But it was all materialistic, the one thing she wanted, his whole heart, the true him, Nick carter and not Nick Backstreet, well he wasn’t willing to give her that. She wasn’t sure if he would ever be willing to give her that and she wasn’t prepared to wait. Was that selfish of her? Would her decision make him retreat even further into himself? She knew it wouldn’t help his self confidence, it would just be another person abandoning him, another reason for him to put up yet another wall around his already trapped heart.

She found herself second guessing her decision and she actually unzipped the suitcase before her brain overruled her heart. No she had stayed longer than she should have, put up with stuff longer than she should have and if she didn’t leave now she knew she would later on. That would only make it harder she had to leave now, she couldn’t waste anymore of her life on waiting around for him and so she had to do it while he wasn’t there. She re-zipped the suitcase and pulled it up off the bed and grabbing her overstuffed holdall she slowly made her way towards the hallway.

She placed the heavy bags at the door along with the rest of the boxes of her stuff before making her way into the kitchen, she showed Layla some attention, actually sat on the floor with the pooch for a good forty minutes, crying into the dogs neck as she held her close. Yet she managed to pry herself up, leave the note that had taken six attempts to write on the counter and half an hour later her beetle was jam packed with all of her stuff.

But even when she made her way towards the large oak front door for the last time she was still having doubts. Sure things had been brewing for a while, sure they hadn’t really been connecting like they had, sure she had tried to speak to him about it but was that any reason to leave like this? To let him come home to find the house empty, could she be that callous? Could she really do that to him?

Then again she had always been taught never to settle, why take second best when you deserved the best? It was something her mother had told her long ago, she herself had settled, married someone who, although could provide for her, she did not love with all her heart. That marriage had broken down quickly but maybe there had been a reason for it, after all if her mother had stayed in that marriage she would never have been born. Then again didn’t she love Nick? If she didn’t would she really be having such a huge internal battle with her heart and her head? Then it clicked, she did love him, maybe too much and the reason she hurt was because he did not feel the same way about her. He thought he did but after everything, all of the years they had spent together he still didn’t trust her enough to open his heart.

That filled her with a bit more confidence in her decision. Although she loved him dearly she was not happy with her life, with the life that they shared and she did not want to have any regrets. This was all for the best. Yes it was going to hurt like hell but he would get over it, he always had in the past.

And with a heavy heart and even heavier suitcases she pulled the door open and forced herself to go through, hastily walking towards the car.

And even though she wanted to, she didn’t look back. Not once.

I'm leaving you for the last time baby...
You think you're loving but you don't love me.
I've been confused outta’ my mind lately...
You think you're loving but I want to be free.
Baby you've hurt me.

All the days spent together, I wished for better,
But I didn't want the train to come.
Now it's departed,
I'm broken hearted, seems like we never started.
All the days spent together, when I wished for better,
And I didn't want the train to come

You think you're loving but you don't love me.
I want to be free, baby you've hurt me.
You don't love me,
I want to be free,
Baby you've hurt me.

 

***

It had been a long trip home, taken almost three days in fact thanks to all the delays he had incurred. He looked at his watch trying to calculate the actual time he had left Cape Town the first leg of his journey home, some forty hours ago. That leg of the trip had been fine, Cape Town to London no delays, no problems. Heathrow was where they hit their first snag.

The Terrorist alert had been raised, a threat had been placed that had basically shut down the entire airport and no matter how hard they tried there was no way they were going to get home by the time they had planned. Leaving almost nine hours behind schedule had also made him miss his connecting flight from Florida to Nashville and he had ended up crashing at Alex and Rachel’s. He was exhausted, the jet lag from this trip was an absolute killer, add that to the fact that this tour had been pretty much relentless and he had only just managed to beat his cold, well all he wanted was to climb into his own bed.

When the car finally rounded the corner and he spotted his house for the first time in almost four months he smiled and small sigh of relief escaping his lips. When the car pulled to a stop he graciously paid the fare and hauled his bags to the front door, he knew that she was unlikely to be home, after all she had told him that she had work so when he walked into the empty house he was unsurprised. He dumped all his luggage in the hallway, knowing that another hour was not going to hurt and slowly made his way to the kitchen, it was then he knew something was just not right.

Three puddles of fluid were dotted around the floor and Layla remained in her basket, usually she would have been all over him but she knew she had done wrong and choose to ignore him. It was unlike her, she had been well trained for years now, very rarely having accidents and when she did it was usually because she had been left for too long. He looked at the clock on the wall it was only nine thirty in the morning so she would have only left for work three hours ago, Layla was used to being left a lot longer than that.

“Hey girl,” He spoke softly as he bent down to pet the pit bull. “What happened huh? She running late this morning and didn’t let you out?” he asked rubbing the dog roughly behind the ears just how she liked it. The dog whined and got up from her basket making her way over to the back door and he followed opening it so he could let her out.

He busied himself with cleaning up after Layla and when he was finished that was when he found her letter. He glanced at it quickly thinking it would just tell him when to expect her home, what he didn’t expect was for it to tear his whole life down in just a few simple words.

Nick,

I’m so sorry to do this to you like I am, then again maybe this way is better, you can be angry and bitter towards me then maybe it won’t hurt as much.

I can’t do this anymore. I can’t live my life like this, I feel like I barely know you and after three years it shouldn’t be that way. I’ve been patient but can’t wait around forever, I haven’t been happy and I need to be. I can’t carry on arguing with you, we both deserve better then that, we both deserve to be happy.

I’m so, so sorry.

Adie.

He re read the letter in his hand about five times, his knuckles turning white and the paper crumpling at the edge where he gripped it so firmly. It couldn’t be real, it had to be some kind of joke, she wouldn’t leave like that not so suddenly when they hadn’t even had a chance to work on their problems. Adrianna Jones was not a quitter. It was a joke that’s all it was, not a very funny joke, but a joke none the less, he should have expected it really, after all the jokes he had played on her, she was just getting payback.

If it was just a joke then why was his hand shaking? Why was his heartbeat ringing in his ears? Why was he running up the stairs to check her stuff was still in their room? Why did he find himself punching the wall when her side of the closet was bare?

He stared absently minded into the half empty space, nursing his now sore hand for at least ten minutes before his new reality sunk in. She had left him, walked out on him when he had been halfway around the world, let him come home to an empty house. Her only explanation in some crappy short note that explained nothing. He knew they had been having problems, he knew she hadn’t been herself, that she hadn’t been completely happy, but he had never, ever, not ever in his wildest dreams, expected her to do something like this. It was totally out of character, she never gave up, she always worked until she got what she wanted.

She has been though, he came to realise the more he thought about it. She had been telling him what she wanted for a long time, had waited on him for a long time and he had ignored her. The timing still didn’t make sense though, he had slightly opened up to her, asked her to go to therapy with him, they hadn’t even tried to work this out, so what the hell was she playing at?

He blinked for the first time in what seemed like ages, once again focusing on the emptiness of the closet before turning on his heels quickly and making a b line for the door, racing down the stairs making sure to grab his keys as he headed towards his car parked in the drive. There was one of two places she would be, work or Chelle’s, he didn’t care where it was, he was going to have this out with her.

***

She had received the call from work not ten minutes ago. He was finally home, had obviously read her note and now he was looking for her. Mandy, the desk clerk, assured Adie that she did not tell Nick her whereabouts but Adie knew this would be the next obvious choice for him and so she mentally braced herself. She would not cave, she would not let his him worm his way back in like she had almost two and half years ago. She would stand firm, she would end the conversation quickly, then and only then would she shed her tears into what she hoped would be a never ending supply of ice cream.

She didn’t expect it to take long, the hospital was only a few miles away and he took longer than she thought he would, but eventually she heard what she knew was his car pull to a stop and she took in a deep breath as she felt her heart rate increase. She jumped slightly when she heard the car door slam and then the harsh rattle of the door as he knocked at it. This would be the ultimate test, she had to stand firm, she had to be strong.

She would not cave.

“Is she here?” She heard him ask her friend calmly as she listened from the top of the stairs. Michelle must have nodded if his next question was anything to go by. “Can I see her?” He asked.

“I uh…I don’t know Nick,” was her hesitant answer. Adie sighed heavily, she should not be putting her best friend in that position, at some point she had to face him and the sooner it was the easier it would be.

“It’s okay Chelle,” she said as she made her way down the stairs and towards the front door. “Hey,” she said to him finding it difficult to meet his questioning and hurt gaze as Chelle made her way back in to the house to give them privacy.

“What’s going on Adie?” He asked softly. She had expected him to be angry, to demand answers, to hate her for how she had left. She hadn’t expected him to be so calm and collected.

“I can’t do this anymore Nick,” she whispered, wanting to cry when she saw him frown in confusion.

“Do what?” He asked but she knew that he understood. She knew by the way his eyes grew darker, how he almost seemed to sink in defeat, she knew because of how his voice almost broke.

“I’m so sorry,” she whispered pulling the ring from her finger before she handed it to him.

Please don't let this turn into something it's not
I can only give you everything I've got
I can't be as sorry as you think I should
But I still love you more than anyone else could


The last girl and the last reason to make this last for as long as I could
The first kiss and the first time that I felt connected to anything
The weight of water, the way you taught me to look past everything I have ever learned
The final word in the final sentence you ever uttered to me was love

She tried to close the door as he stared at the ring, his promise that she had handed back to him, that was currently sitting in the palm of his hand, but he realised and quickly blocked the shortening gap with his foot, his anger now bubbling to the surface.

“Don’t you dare try and shut me out without an explanation!” He angrily said, his voice now harsh and she knew the only way she was going to get through this, the only way she would not cave would be to turn this into an argument.

“Shut you out? I’m not allowed to do it to you but it’s okay for you to do it for three years?”

“I’m trying. Doesn’t seem like you care though or understand,” he said placing his hand against the door as well.

“Understand?!” She scoffed.

“You have no idea what my life has been like, you grew up here, in a suburb in Nashville, with two parents who never fought, you went to normal schools had normal friends. You’ve not been constantly scrutinised, not had your family ripped apart,” he said his breath coming out ragged and she thought, for the first time in their relationship, that she was actually going to see him cry but he managed to pull it together with a shaky sigh.

“Yeah I don’t understand because you’ve never told me. I don’t know you Nick.”

“Yes you do,” he said with a shake of his head.

“No. I really don’t. I’ve wanted to, I’ve tried to get you to open up and you slam the door in my face and do you know how much that hurts?” She asked as he looked at her confused. “You don’t trust me enough to let me in.”

“You’re wrong,” he said defiantly. “I trust you with my life. You’re…don’t do this, please don’t do this. Come home and we can work on this, we can work on being open with each other. You are the only thing that makes sense in my life, without you…I need you in my life.”

“Why? Why do you need me in your life? To give it meaning? To define who you are? You don’t want me for the right reasons and I’ve realised that, do you even know who you are?” She asked feeling terrible when he averted his eyes from hers, his discomfort with this whole conversation clearly evident in his body language.

“I…” he hesitated with a sigh, “I…I love you, that much I know, I’m a better person when I’m around you.”

“You might be a better person around me Nick but you…I’ve lost sight of who I am, three years ago I would never of settled for as long as I have. I have goals and dreams too but they’ve just been put on the back burner and I can’t do that anymore,” she said shaking her head, closing her eyes as she willed the tears not to fall.

“So that’s it? You just want to throw three years away? You’re not even willing to work on this?” He asked his anger returning if his flushed face was anything to go by, his eyes once again a dangerous shade of dark blue.

“I’ve not been happy for a long time Nick. I’m so sorry.”

And this time he let her shut the door.



We have gone through so much worse than this before
What's so different this time that you can't ignore
You say it is much more than just my last mistake
And we should spend some time apart for both our sakes

The last girl and the last reason to make this last for as long as I could
The first kiss and the first time that I felt connected to anything
The weight of water, the way you taught me to look past everything I have ever learned
The final word in the final sentence you ever uttered to me was love

And I don't know where to look
My words just break and melt
Please just save me from this darkness

 

 

 

Song Credits:

The Script - Talk you down

Duffy - Warwick Avenue

Snow Patrol - Shut your eyes.

End Notes:
Please let me know what you think!
Where did our love go? by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Adie realises something shocking that could have the power to change her life forever

It had been five days since he had seen her last, since he had come home to find it empty, since she had given him back his promise. He sat at the island in the kitchen and twirled the piece of expensive metal in his fingers, eyeing the message inscribed on the inside of the band, A Ma Vie De Coer Entier, My whole heart for my whole life. He chuckled to himself, how wrong he had been, he had given her something important and she had thrown it back in his face and yet again here he was alone. Yet again he had failed, his life had crumbled around him and he had nothing left to do but pick him self up, dust himself off and carry on like he was okay. He had gotten pretty good at that over the years so why was it so different this time? Why did it seem to hurt so much more then it ever had before? Why hadn’t he slept for more then a few hours over the past few days?

He knew the answer to each and every question. It was because of Adie, he had never loved anyone like he had her. He thought she had been the one but obviously he had been mistaken, if she loved him for him then why did she leave? Why wasn’t she more understanding about his past and his issues? Why did she constantly pressure him to open up? He sighed as he dropped the band on the side with a small clink, she wasn’t the only one to blame here, he knew he had been in the wrong. If he loved her why didn’t he trust her enough to open up? Why couldn’t he get passed all his issues? Why, yet again, had he let his past ruin his future?

He didn’t get much time to contemplate his questions because the doorbell ripped through the haunting quietness of the house, making Layla’s ears perk up and tail wag in anticipation and if Nick had been a dog he knew he would look like she did. What if it was Adie? Had she realised what a mistake she had made? Maybe she was at the door now, her stuff in boxes, ready to ask him to take her back, to tell him that she wanted to work on things if he could find it in his heart to take her back. He would, he knew he would in a heartbeat and that was why he felt his chest ache when he opened the door and was greeted with her sister instead.

Rachel said nothing, just wrapped her arms around his waist and pulled him as close as she could, her rounded belly making it slightly more difficult then usual. He wrapped his arms around her and stared off over the drive in a vain hope of seeing Adie not to far behind but all he saw was Alex pulling out a suitcase from the trunk of the rental car.

“You okay?” She asked softly shaking her head at herself for asking such a stupid question. “I don’t know why I asked that, that was stupid of course you’re not okay.”

He smiled at her before saying, “It’s okay. What are you doing here?”

“We’ve come here to kick Adie’s ass.”

“Rach-” Alex said in a warning tone as he neared the door.

“What? Nick…She had no right to do what she did,” Rachel told her husband raising her eyebrows to him before turning back to Nick. “We’re here to help you guys sort this mess out.”

He smiled as she walked into the house, he even managed to keep that fake smile plastered to his face when he came face to face with Alex.

“You can drop the lame ass fake smile and happy exterior, that’s what got you into this mess,” he said as he dropped the suitcase at his feet before pulling Nick into a bear hug. “For the record I did try and come by myself but I have learned you never ague with a pregnant lady.”

“Thanks,” Nick whispered finally letting go.

“Anytime. Come on lets go and work this out.”

***

 

She could put up with the verbal abuse, with kids lashing out at her, with angry parents. Being puked on, peed on, and bleed on didn’t bother her in the slightest, if you were a nurse it was expected. The one thing she couldn’t stand was catching something off of one of her patients, especially if it meant hurling your guts up which was what she seemed to be doing.

Once she stopped emptying the entire contents of her stomach in the toilet she leant back against the side of the bath and closed her eyes in exhaustion, she didn’t think that she had ever felt this tired. She just felt completely drained all the time but it was no wonder really, she was sick, she had been working her ass of to get some more money together so she could buy her own place, and she had…she had just broken up with the man she loved. Was it wrong that she was upset that he had made no effort to talk to her in five days? She had not seen nor heard from him since she shut the door in his face, since they day she handed back the ring and had broken his heart. She had wanted it, so why was she so sad that he hadn’t tried to fight for her that little bit harder?

Then again why should he? She had made it perfectly clear, it was over, she hadn’t been happy and had wanted a clean break and he had respected her wishes. She hadn’t expected him to do that, she had been ready for him to hound her, to keep on calling, to keep showing up, she hadn’t been ready to not see or hear from him.

She heard the door slam shut and even managed to push herself up from the floor but the movement must have been too quick for her stomach and she found herself bowing down to the porcelain bowl again, dry heaving.

“Oh Sweetie, still feeling like crap?” Chelle asked as she quickly placed her bag on the floor and grabbed a wash cloth, which she then ran under the cold tap before handing to Adie.

“I don’t think I have anything left in me to barf up now,” she whined feeling sorry for herself as she placed the cool cloth on her forehead and rested back against the bath.

“It’s been four days now, are you sure it’s just that bug? You sure you’ve not got a case of food poisoning or something?” Chelle asked as she offered Adie her hand and helped her up of the floor before guiding her back to her room.

“I don’t know, maybe, I mean you have been cooking for me,” she joked.

“Bitch! You know I could have just left you in the bathroom on the floor,” Chelle teased back as she threw a pillow at her best friend who was now snuggled under her duvet.

“I know I know, I owe you. How was work? Are they busy? I’m hoping I can go in and at least do the afternoon,” Adie said.

“I don’t think so. Chris is not going to want you infecting all the patients and the rest of the staff, you need to learn to look after yourself and get better before you start thinking of others you know. So…” she said sitting down on the edge of the bed and Adie knew this was going to be the conversation she had been dreading.

“So what?” Adie replied looking at her nails.

“You’ve been here for almost a week now and apart from Tuesday when Nick turned up…I hate being out of the loop Aid you now that.”

“It’s over,” she shrugged trying to play down how much she was actually hurting.

“It’s over? Just like that?” Chelle asked completely unconvinced when Adie tried to nod her head in affirmation. “But…it’s over?” She asked again.

“Yes,” she whispered looking away from Chelle, she could almost feel the bile travelling back up as she admitted that. To say it to Nick was one thing but to admit it to someone else, to talk to someone else about it was a whole different matter, it seemed to make it more real, more final and maybe that was the reason why she hadn’t told her parents or her sister, that and because she knew they would all be against her decision. Even Chelle had questioned her about it when she had called to see if she could stay so did that mean that it was the wrong decision? Surely she should not be getting as upset as she was if it was the right thing to do?

“You don’t sound so sure,” Chelle said softly as she brushed a stray piece of hair out of her best friends face. “You still love him.

“Yeah I do but he…he doesn’t love me,” she said sniffing back the few tears that threatened to fall.

“Yes he does,” Chelle told her taking one of her hands in hers.

Adie shook her head in disagreement, “No not like I deserve, he doesn’t trust me.”

“He has his issues,” Chelle tried to defend.

“I’m sick of hearing that…everyone has issues and I understand people have really hurt him in the past but that doesn’t mean I’m going to. I’ve been hurt in the past and I would never ever think of doing it to someone else intentionally, you know I trusted him enough to wait for him to open up, I trusted him enough to take him back, but he still won’t…he won’t…”

“Won’t what?” Chelle coaxed.

“Trust me enough to let me look after him, to let me see his weak side, to be venerable around me,” she said.

“Some people just can’t do that though hon, they are so used to being the strong one or they’re used to having to hide their emotions that it’s difficult for them. You said…” Chelle hesitated before carrying on, “You said that you wouldn’t ever set out to intentionally hurt him but that’s what you’re doing thoug-”

“I knew I would be the bad guy, I knew people would see it that way,” Adie angrily spat back.

“Hold up, I’m not saying you are the bad guy at all. I’m just saying that you want him to open up but by doing this, you’ve done what everyone else has in the past and you’re just proving to him again that…he’s going to build more walls because of this you know,” she pointed out.

“Look it’s over, can we talk about something else?” Adie asked turning her face away from her friends.

Chelle was quiet for a moment before conceding to her best friends wishes, “Okay, you up for eating anything?” She asked as she got up off the bed.

“I could go for some cheetos.”

“Cheetos? You hate cheetos with a passion. What’s with you lately? Tomato soup yesterday, cheetos today it’s all the stuff you hate,” Chelle questionably joked.

“Just fancy it I guess,” Adie shrugged.

Chelle shook her head with a laugh, “If I didn’t know any better I’d say you were pregnant.”

***

She stared at the calendar in front of her, the sinking realisation hitting her hard as she flung the wad of paper to the floor and placed her head in her hands. How the hell did she miss it? All the signs had been there. The sickness, her rollercoaster of emotions, her sore breasts, the tiredness, she had put it all down to other things though. Blamed the start of the sickness on the food she had eaten in England, and when it continued on a bug she must have caught from someone. The tiredness in the beginning was from being jet lagged, and now from not sleeping properly since she had left, bursting into tears at the drop of a hat was obviously because she was still cut up about leaving, about the wasted three years of her life and the sore breasts were merely sore because she was due on her period.

A period she hadn’t had since March.

She wiped at the tears that were falling angrily and tried to pull herself together but it was futile really. All this time she had been wanting to fall pregnant, to have a family with him and now? She had wound up pregnant at the worst possible time, her life was in shambles, and she found herself ironically wishing that she wasn’t carrying Nicks child.

Then again, maybe she wasn’t. Maybe this was just a complete false alarm and all of her other symptoms could be explained. This had happened before anyway, when she had been sitting her nursing finals she got so stressed out, she stopped eating properly, had hardly any sleep and her periods stopped because of all the stress she had been putting herself through. Adie couldn’t deny that the stress was definitely back again, it had been for a while, it had taken her so long to come to the agonising decision she had made. “That’s all it is,” she tried to convince herself.

She would go to the store, buy a test and it would come out negative and that would put an end to it.

***

Nick stared at the pictures flashing slowly before him on the laptop, trying to work out when and where things had gone so horribly wrong. In every picture he had viewed they seemed happy, content and most of all in love, so when had that all stopped? When had she fallen out of love with him? Why had she fallen out of love with him? He just couldn’t understand it.

The slide show came to an end and he double clicked on another file that contained pictures of them from the first year that they were together, they had been so happy, their relationship so fresh and new, so full of fun and he just wanted to get back to that, to be like they had been then. He knew that would never happen though, even if they did get back together, which he was sure wasn’t going to happen, things were so different now, they were older, their relationship had progressed, they both wanted different things and neither were willing to compromise.

He managed a small smile when a certain picture flashed onto the screen, quickly hitting the pause button on the slideshow. It was the first time she had met his brother and sisters, a totally unplanned situation, full of emotion, tension and upset but they had all taken to her instantly, even Angel which was so rare and that was when he knew that she was the one. When he thought back to that time in his life he realised how much he hadn’t really changed, he thought he had but he was still just as insecure, still unwilling to trust when, after what she had done for him over those few days, proved he would be able to trust her with anything.

 

August 2006

He had never been so happy to see someone in his entire life and he knew he would owe her big time for this but he had no idea who else to call, well no one who would have been of any use.

“Hi,” she said softly, smiling nervously at him as she wrapped his arms around his waist and hugged him. He wasn’t surprised by the way she seemed to keep glancing at the camera crew that were currently behind him filming the entire exchange, this was all new territory for her, god even he had found it weird for the first week, but now it was like they weren’t even there.

“Hi,” he replied, returning her hug and kissing the top of her head. “Thanks for coming,” he whispered before letting her go.

“Anytime. How is he?” She asked pulling away and he shrugged with a sigh. “So what happened?”

He took her hand and led her into the main entrance of the trauma canter where his brother was currently lying on a gurney a barrage of tests being undertaken. He looked down to her and had to suppress a small chuckle when she went to hold the door open for one of the sound men. “You’re supposed to ignore them,” he laughed.

“Sorry,” she apologised her cheeks blushing.

“It’s okay, you’ll get used to it,” he said as he grabbed her hand and carried on walking.

“So…what happened?” She asked again as she followed back to where she presumed Aaron was.

“He wiped out on his surf board, the tip kind of hit him in the chest and stomach. He was okay at first but then he just kept puking and was really tired and…they said his liver’s bleeding,” he said trying hard to stop his voice from cracking.

She squeezed his hand tightly and pulled him back to a seat of seats in the waiting area as she said, “Hey, come here a sec. He’s going to be okay alright?” She said as she squeezed his hand again.

“You don’t know that,” he whispered turning his head away from her put she placed a hand underneath his chin and turned it so he was back looking at her.

“He is going to be fine and you need to stop beating yourself up over this, it was an accident.”

“I know that but it…”he sighed.

“It doesn’t make it any easier?” She finished for him.

“Yeah. I mean there saying that his liver is bleeding and to me that’s really bad but they don’t seem to be doing a lot about it, you’d think they would take him into surgery or something…or…I don’t know…but it’s bad right?” He asked looking to her for validation.

She scrunched up her nose slightly and cocked her head to the side, “I don’t know…I haven’t seen him but I’m sure they are doing everything properly Nick, you might be not see them doing anything but behind the scenes they will be, has he had a CT?” She asked and he nodded. “It takes time to get the tech to look at it and then the docs might want to look, he might be unsure of whether or not he needs surgery, so he would have to call the trauma surgeon to come and asses. It just all takes time and he might be in a surgery or assessing another more critical patient, if they weren’t happy that Aaron wasn’t in any immediate danger then they would be hanging around like this. I know its awful just waiting around and it seems like we’re not doing anything but we are…or they are,” she said correcting herself with a shake of her head.

“Thanks,” he said again.

“Stop thanking me,” she said with a roll of her eyes as she stood up.

“Why? You had to swap stuff around to be here,” he said as he also stood and led her down a corridor.

“Chelle didn’t mind but you will have to introduce her to Brad Pitt,” she said with a chuckle.

“I don’t know Brad Pitt!”

“What all you famous stars don’t all hang out together at Koi and just wait to be photographed together?” She asked in mock shock making him laugh.

“No but hey at least now we can be together for our first anniversary,” he said raising an eyebrow to her, “Didn’t think I would remember did you?”

“I…with all your doing at the moment no…I didn’t think you would.”

“Well you won’t be disappointed that you won’t have a present to open tomorrow then will you? It’s kind of already been mailed,” he said stopping outside of a door.

“I’m sure I’ll live.”

“Well you have got me in the flesh…you’ll just have to meet my crazy family,” he told her as he pushed the handle down.

“I’ve put up with you for a year,” she shrugged in retaliation.

He closed his eyes and sighed, she had been so great during that whole experience, managing to put Aaron, who had been absolutely petrified, at complete ease within ten minutes of being there. She explained everything to him, what they could do, what they were probably going to do, what the worst case scenario would be but how that wouldn’t happen to him. She spoke to the doctors, made sure they everything had been done properly, made Nick sleep when she found him up at three am. She had been like his rock and in essence everyone else’s because they all looked to Nick and when she was with him, he could rely on her and in turn the others could rely on him to be strong for them. He opened his eyes again and looked at the same picture still on the screen.

The picture itself was of her and Aaron, Nick’s head sticking out of the sand because they had buried him in the sand, Aaron’s revenge for Nick insisting he couldn’t surf after his accident, Adie the person who had come up with the plan for Aaron’s revenge. It had been such a great holiday after that, well apart from Aaron acting like a brat when they had gone out to dinner but even then she had been able to play mediator and that was when she had won Angel’s respect. Anyone who could break up a Carter argument with a cool head and not shout back when someone was screaming at them was someone that Nick needed to keep around was what she had said.

“What are you doing?” He heard Alex’s gruff voice ask from behind him and he quickly closed the lid of the laptop as if he had been caught looking at something he shouldn’t have been.

“Just working on some tracks,” he shrugged as he swivelled round in the chair.

“Stop lying you ass. You’ve been in here for two hours and I have yet to hear any kind of sound come out of here. So what are you doing?” He asked as he leant against the desk placing a sandwich down for Nick.

“I’m not hungry.”

“You’re going to eat it. I slaved over that sandwich,” Alex told him looking over the top of the sunglasses he was wearing.

Nick picked up the limp looking piece of bread and scrunched up his nose before looking back to his friend, “It’s peanut butter Jay.”

“And?”

“You hardly slaved over it,” he said as he took a bite just to placate Alex.

“I beg to differ. I had to get the bread, walk all the way to the fridge to get the butter, then walk all the way back to the cupboard to get the jar of peanut butter, find a knife and then a plate, there was a lot of walking involved,” he informed making Nick shake his head and smile as he chewed.

“Where’s my drink?” Nick asked between mouthfuls.

“Do I look like your girlfriend,” he replied before thinking immediately apologising after. “Sorry dude…I didn’t mean….sorry.”

“It’s okay,” he mumbled.

“So…have you seen her, spoken to her since you got back?” He asked and Nick inwardly sighed. He didn’t want to go through this, he didn’t want to relive it again, he had been doing that enough for the past few days, speaking to someone else just made it that more real. She had left him and she wasn’t coming back.

“Yeah I went round to Chelle’s but… she gave me back the ring…she said that she feels like she doesn’t know the real me, that I don’t even know the real me and you know what? The more I think about it the more I think she’s right,” he admitted.

“How so?” Alex asked.

“I just…I used to be so sure of myself about what I wanted, what was important but now…everything she wants scares the crap out of me. I mean am I always going to be like this?” he asked fiddling with the pen that was on the desk and he reclined some more in his chair, avoiding eye contact.

“Like what?” Alex probed.

“An fucking insecure mess who won’t let people in. I know I do it, I know she’s right, Jesus even Angel called me on it and I ignored her. You know she actually asked me how long it would be till I managed to sabotage this relationship, guess I should ring her and tell her huh?” he said trying to make a small joke but Alex didn’t laugh.

“Look you’ve just told me where you’re going wrong, you know where you are going wrong so do something to fix it.”

“What if I can’t?” He whispered.

“There’s always a way Nick. It might not be an easy way and it might hurt like hell to open up to her and tell her about stuff that you’ve kept buried but you need to do it and you don’t need to do it for her you need to do it for you. If you keep all this stuff buried inside it’s going to eat you alive and you are going to end up a lonely old man and I don’t want you living in the apartment above mine and Rachel’s garage,” he joked ruffling Nick’s hair, even managing to make him laugh.

“I could be crazy man Carter who collects dung beetles or something,” he joked back.

“Yeah you definitely wouldn’t be living with us if that was what you were collecting. I know you probably don’t want to talk to me about stuff, maybe it’s better you if do it in therapy and have more structure, but I am here if you ever want to talk about anything. And I think I can safely say that goes for Rachel and any of the other guys as well,” he told him seriously squeezing his shoulder.

“I know that. Kev called,” he told Alex.

“Really?” He replied trying to act innocent.

“He told me you told him.”

“Busted. What can I say? He’s old man Kev who usually gives good advice but if you tell him I said that I will have to kill you.”

“Thanks Jay, where’s Rach?” He asked noticing her absence.

“She went out. Said that she was going to visit her folks but she was so lying through her teeth because I wasn’t allowed to go.”

“So she’s gone to see Adie then?” Nick asked already knowing the answer before Alex nodded and Nick chuckled as he said, “Poor Adie.”

***

She sucked in a breath when she saw the unmistakable tattoo on the, rather puffy, foot that could only belong to her sister. The foot had a flip flop attached to it and the other leg was resting next to it as Rachel sat on the porch step, Adie couldn’t see the rest of her though as she was obscured by a bush, but maybe that was a good thing, if she couldn’t see Rachel and Rachel couldn’t see her and she would be able to leave and come back later. So she quickly and quietly turned on her heel and began to walk away but stopped abruptly when she heard her sisters voice from behind.

“Don’t be a fucking coward again!”

Adie took in a deep breath and turned coming face to face with her sister. She obviously knew, that was the only reason she could possibly have for being in Nashville a week and half earlier then expected.

“Hi,” Adie smiled.

“Don’t smile at me. I can’t believe you,” she said crossing her arms over her large bump as she shook her head.

“Don’t get involved in something you know nothing about Rach.”

“I know nothing about? Yeah I know nothing about because you knew that I would be against what you did. How…why would you do that to someone? How could you do that to him, a fucking note. He gets home and finds your stuff gone and a note? What are you in the fifth grade or something?” She asked as she stepped closer to Adie, almost invading her personal space.

Adie made sure to keep a tight grip in the bag in her hand, she knew if Rachel found out about it’s contents Nick would be round in a matter of minutes demanding to know if she was pregnant. He’d probably accuse her of planning it again, say that he had been right in London and that she had been lying to him and right now she couldn’t deal with that. God she couldn’t deal with Rachel right now, not when she had so many other thoughts rushing through her mind and with Rachel being pregnant… what that be what she would look like if she was? Would she get the swollen ankles? Would she look as hot and un-comfy as her sister did right now?

“Look I don’t want to get into this now,” She tried.

“Tough. Nick didn’t want to walk in on a empty home and some crappy note but you didn’t give him that choice did you?” She retaliated.

“You’re going to raise your blood pressure, it’s not good for the baby.”

Rachel shook her head, “I’m fine but you seriously need your head checked Adrianna.”

“Don’t call me that, don’t try and act like Mom or Dad and scold me like some small child. This is my life, it was my decision and if you want to choose to be on Nick’s side over this then that’s fine he can have you, all I want is a clean break,” she said as she walked towards the door.

“A clean break?” Rachel seemed to laugh. “You’re kidding right? Your brother in law is one of his best friends, he’s one of my best friends now there is going to be no clean break. Are you going to avoid me and Alex in fear that you might see Nick?” She asked as she followed her sister who remained silent. “Well are you?”

“Look I’m sick okay? I can’t deal with this now, you should go I don’t want you to catch it,” she said as she looked pleadingly at her sister.

“Fine. I just hope you know what you’re doing and I hope you realise before it’s to late.” With that she turned and walked towards the car parked on the road and Adie sighed heavily as she watched her pull away before she looked down to the bag clasped so tightly in her hand. She took a deep breath in and released it slowly before she headed inside to find out whether it was even going to be possible to have the clean break that she wanted from Nick.

End Notes:
Please review and let me know what you think.
It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife! by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Nick gets drunk to try and forget about Adie but it ends up backfiring

Adie found herself once again sitting on the toilet seat, eyeing the small box in her hand critically like she had for the past three days. In that box was a stick that could have the power to change her life for ever, and right now she was so confused about how she felt she didn’t know whether it would be a change for the better or for the worse.

She had always had a vision in her mind about when she would bring a child in to the world, about how she would bring a child into the world. That vision held a Mother and a Father, two people in a loving stable relationship who could provide everything for a new life, a happy family that would eventually grow, would be close like her own family was. Sure it was idealistic, maybe even naive on her part in the current day and age with one out of three children being bought up by divorced parents but it had always been the dream and after all if her parents could do it why couldn’t she? She had never, not in a million years contemplated bringing a child into the world on her own, being a single mother with a newborn baby, raising a child and being there for it for the rest of her life alone. That was what she could possibly have to do though, if the test was positive that was her reality, a single mother at twenty seven. All she had to do now was find the courage to pee on the stick.

In the three days that had passed she had prayed to be proven wrong, had wished and hoped for the familiar cramping in her lower back, but yet here she was and today she was going to make herself find out for sure, even though the evidence in favour was pretty damning. She felt sick to her stomach, a little was probably from the morning sickness, but the majority was from the anticipation of peeing on the stick. This time last year she knew she would have been over the moon if she had found herself in this predicament but now all she felt was fear and anxiety. She already knew that if she was pregnant she would have the baby, abortion wasn’t something she believed in just because it wasn’t the right time in a person’s life, other circumstances were more acceptable, but because it didn’t fit in with your plan wasn’t. She also knew there was no way she was going to be able to keep it a secret and that eventually she would have to tell Nick and that was the part that was filling her with the most dread, she had no idea how he was going to react to this news.

He had made it perfectly clear that having children wasn’t on his agenda. Would this change his mind? Would knowing that she was carrying his child, that this was real and not some hypothetical situation help him to overcome his fear of being a Father? She knew he could do it, she knew that Nick had the potential to be an amazing Dad, just watching him interact with Baylee, seeing him visit the sick kids, he just had a way with them and she had told him that on more then one occasion. He always had an excuse not to though, touring was coming up, he’d be away all the time, the same excuses as to why they shouldn’t get married but it was all lies and she couldn’t get her head around why he couldn’t just tell her the truth, why he couldn’t just open up and let her help him to work through his issues. He would probably accuse her of planning this anyway, of forgetting to take her birth control, of trying to trap him into marriage, like he had done in London. She chuckled to herself with that thought before some tears slid down her cheeks, I was already pregnant then though. Then on the other hand how could he really accuse her of that? After all she had been the one to break things off with him, she was the one who had left, if she had been trying to trap him then wouldn’t she have stayed?

She shook her head and wiped at her tears as she unwrapped the cellophane around the box, her hands shaking uncontrollably. It took a matter of seconds for her to pee but the three minutes that she had to wait felt like hours as she glanced at her watch every couple of seconds and yet when the time came she found that she couldn’t find the courage to pick up the stick that she had rested on the sink.

“Stop being such a chicken,” she said to herself as she reached out for the small white stick, but again her hand recoiled as through it were a hot poker. She took a deep breath in and released it slowly as she closed her eyes and blindly grabbed for the stick, opening her eyes after a few seconds she eyed the result and looked back at her reflection in the mirror.

***

He woke up around lunchtime like he had been doing for the past two days since Rachel and Alex had left, he just felt like he had nothing to get up early for, the late nights of laying awake thinking about her and what went wrong reeking havoc with his body clock. She was the last thing he thought about before he went to sleep and the first thing on his mind when he woke up, he had never ever felt like that with previous relationships, never had someone got under his skin that much and he knew it was because he had lost something special with her. He felt something move beside him and for a minute prayed that the past week and half had been some horrible dream but when rolled over in bed all he found was Layla where Adie should have been laying. He snuggled deep into the pillow, that still held the faint scent of her, with a sigh and lightly stroked the top of the dogs head when she moved to nuzzle his chest. looking to the bedroom door in confusion when he heard the banging that was coming from downstairs, the banging, he realised, the cause of him waking up.

He pulled himself out of his warm comfy bed, threw on a pair of sweats, and padded down the stairs calling out, “I’M COMING!” when the banging on his front door persisted. He knew that it wouldn’t be Alex or Rachel, they moved into their new house yesterday and of course Nick had once again been left on his own, not that he really minded as it left him to mope around as he pleased, meant he didn’t have to act okay, that he could even cry if he wanted to. He hadn’t yet, he hadn’t allowed himself to. That was so pathetic, like he was even hiding his emotions from himself and yet he couldn’t stop, he couldn’t take Alex’s advice and change things, he couldn’t open up, it was to buried, to locked away, to difficult. This whole experience just something to add to that locked box full of pain.

He finally made it to the door, pissed off that the person on the other side was still incessantly banging on the door, banging so hard Nick was sure any minute the hand was going to come crashing through the solid oak wood. He yanked hard causing the knocking to stop immediately and inwardly grimaced realising his mistake.

“NICKAY!!!!” Brent yelled as he wrapped his friend in a bear hug.

“Hi,” Nick replied patting his good friend on the back as he smiled over his shoulder to the other four guys who were stood behind. He seriously didn’t need this now but this trip had been planned months ago, the guys were going to come out, work in the studio on a few tracks and he was going to have a boys week while Adie worked nights, she had even offered to stay at Chelle’s so they didn’t have to worry about keeping the noise down. He should have cancelled, he was not in the right frame of mind for this right now, all he wanted to do was sit around in his sweats and mope, wait for Adie to realise what a mistake she had made.

“You didn’t forget did you?” Brent asked as he traipsed into the house letting the others follow him into the living room where he kicked back on one of the sofa’s, throwing his feet up onto the coffee table, almost kicking over the glass that had been left there from last night.

“No,” Nick lied shaking his head, moving the glass before Brent could break it. “No I’ve just had a lot going on the past few days and slept in.”

“Cool,” Brent said nodding his head. “So this looks like a nice place, where’s Adie?” He asked looking around.

“She uh…We’re not together anymore,” he said quietly falling into the couch beside his friend with a sigh.

“Oh man…then again there is the bright side, means we can go and get totally smashed and find you a new women,” he said with a grin making Nick inwardly groan. Then he thought to himself, “Fuck it, she was the one who left me. I deserve some fun.”

***

He managed to prop himself up at the bar and if he really squinted and tried to focus on the watch on his wrist he might just be able to make out the time. One am. One am meant he had probably been drinking for eight hours now and that was probably the reason why he could barely stand but it didn’t stop him accepting the shot that Brent thrust into his hand followed by the beer a few seconds after the burning of the shot trailing down his throat subsided. He smiled a thanks to Brent, who was probably looking as wasted as he was before he started nodding his head to the tune currently playing, mentally berating himself when all he could think was how much Adie liked the song.

God why couldn’t he get her out of his head for at least five minutes? He thought that coming out to night would make him see what he had been missing while they had been together, would make him realise that he was better off without the stressors of being in a relationship, but so far all it had done was make him realise what he had lost. It had made him realise how much he had changed and grown up since he had been with her, this party scene wasn’t him anymore and he knew he couldn’t go back out there and look for someone else, he couldn’t start a new relationship knowing it would be doomed to fail, knowing it would be nowhere near as good as what he had once had, he had realised what he had lost and it felt so god damned depressing he drank more to try and escape it. So now he was on beer number god knows how many, shot number…it had to at least be double figures and he was still no happier and no number.

“Dude seriously you need to lighten up or at least smile if you are going to get any pussy tonight,” Brent yelled over the music slapping him on the back.

“I don’t want anyone else right now,” He mumbled leaning his head against the bar as he slumped forward almost vomiting when Brent slapped him on the back.

“Dude lighten up, so she left you? Big deal I never got what you saw in her anyway,” he said as she threw back another large swig of his beer as Nick turned his head to the side to look at him.

“What’s that suppose to mean?” He slurred angrily.

“Just that she kind of didn’t know how to have any fun, would she have seriously let you drink for as long as you have today? C’mon even you have to admit she was kind of a controlling bitch,” he laughed slapping Nick on the back.

Nick tensed with Brent’s words as he sat up slowly and said, through gritted teeth, “Take it back.”

“Why? It’s the truth? I’m sure she’s bitched about me enough she was quite obvious in showing she couldn’t stand me.”

“Just take it back,” Nick said more sternly this time.

“No,” Brent said shaking his head. “I never liked her but I put up with her because she was your girlfriend. You are so much better off without her, she had you totally pussy whipped. I mean look at how much you changed for her, but she still left you didn’t she? She’s a bitch Nick.”

He didn’t know what came over him, whether it was Brent totally disrespecting Adie, his anger at both Her and Brent, or the alcohol, hell it was probably a mixture of all three but he found himself reacting the way he always did when he got as angry as he was, by lashing out and thinking about it later. This time though he found himself wishing he had thought more about his actions when he found himself stumbling forward when his foot got caught in the bar stool because he stood up to suddenly, he didn’t get to think about it too much though because there was only blackness when his head hit the bar hard.

***

“Are you sure your okay?” Chelle asked when she found Adie staring at her reflection in the mirror when she walked out of the stall.

“Fine,” Adie replied unconvincingly as she looked at her friend.

“You know if you’re having second thoughts you could tell him that you’re sorry and that you made a mistake,” She said as she placed a hand on her friends arm reassuringly with a small smile.

Adie shook her head, “No I’m not having second thoughts. I’m just tired is all.”

“Okay, if your sure that’s all it is. You know you can talk to me about anything right?” She asked, concerned with her best friends behaviour over the past few days.

Adie smiled brightly but Chelle noticed it didn’t quite reach her eyes, “Yeah I know. I’ll be out in a bit.”

“Okay. Oh I started the fluids for that kid in four,” she reminded.

“Shit I totally forgot was his BM okay?” She asked panicked.

“A little low but nothing to worry about. You know if you’re still not feeling well maybe you should go home,” Chelle said as she held her hand on the handle of the door.

“No I’m fine, it just taking a while to get back into the swing of things is all. Thanks.”

Chelle smiled as she pulled the door open and walked through it leaving Adie alone with her thoughts. That was the third mistake she had made and she was only three hours into her shift, she just couldn’t concentrate at all, her mind was a thousand miles away and had been ever since yesterday, ever since she had looked down at the positive sign on that fucking pregnancy test, ever since she had taken another four to make sure. Each of them had been positive, each plus sign, blue lines, or the new expensive digital test wish flashed pregnant at her confirming what she had already known if she was honest with herself. She had been so thankful that Chelle had been out because she had spent most of the day sobbing, lying in bed contemplating what she was going to do, how she was going to tell people, how Nick was going to react to the news.

She felt the hot tears begin to build up yet again and sighed deeply willing herself not to cry. She had worked out that she had to be at least three ,months along if not more by now, this baby had to have been conceived around the time of her birthday, after all it made sense she was on antibiotics for her ear infection, they hadn’t used any other form of contraception and that week had been full of sex. Was it ironic that it was around that time was when she had first been considering leaving him, when the first thoughts of breaking his heart had entered her head? He had promised to always love her, to always want to be with her and she had been thinking about letting him go.

Life could be such a bitch.

Three months pregnant, god she would start to show soon if she already wasn’t, she looked at the door before she pulled up her scrub top and looked at her still flat stomach in the mirror before she placed her hand on it. Immediately she noticed how different it felt, it was a lot firmer then normal and she remembered her sister mentioning it wasn’t long after her stomach started to harden that she started to grow. She needed to tell someone about this, she needed to get it out otherwise it was going to eat her alive but in the two attempts she had made to tell Chelle she had bottled out at the last moment, to scared about what she might say, to afraid that Chelle would tell her it was a sign to get back together with Nick. What if it is though? She considered then again what if it wasn’t? Could she really bring a child up in a hostile environment? She would totally prove him right if she did that because she knew that was one of his main reasons for not wanting to get married, even though he never spoke about his parents and their divorce she knew that was the main catalyst of why Nick had become who he was.

She glanced back into the mirror one last time before she decided that, for at least tonight she would try and forget about him, about them and about the baby. It was something she just needed to do to be able to get through tonight without making a drastic mistake that could cost someone else their life. She didn’t realise that it wasn’t going to be that easy though, and that within an hour  she would be coming face to face with the man she had left two weeks ago, a man she had shut the door on.

***

“So Tammy can you tell me what you have to remember the next time you get angry?” Adie asked as she finished with the last suture in the ten years olds hand.

The girl sighed as she said, “Punch and pillow and not a mirror.”

“Good,” Adie smiled as she placed some gauze over the freshly closed wound. “You know the scales usually say bad things to me makes me want to chuck them out the window, I sometimes feel that way with the mirror too,” Adie joked making her patient laugh.

“I was mad at my brother really,” she admitted.

“Ahhh sibling rivalry, is he older?” Adie asked and Tammy nodded, “Yeah I have an older sister and we used to get into some fights, I think once I actually started throwing all of her clothes out the window, she wasn’t very happy with me then.”

“He’s just a jerk.”

Adie laughed, “Does he like video games?”

“Yeah.”

“Well the next time he’s mean, instead of taking it out on a mirror and hurting yourself, put all if his video games in different boxes, or you could hide the scrt lead, he’ll be more interested in finding it then being mean.”

“Thanks I’ll remember that,” She said as she pulled her hand off the trolley it had been resting on.

“No problem, you just have to keep that dry and come back in the next five days to have them taken out okay?” She said as she discarded her gloves and showed the girl to the door, “Your Mom said she would be waiting where you were before.”

“Thanks.”

Adie smiled warmly as she watched the ten year old walk towards the waiting area before she turned back into the small room and began to tidy up, realising that she would need to stock up as the trolley that held the equipment for suturing was near on empty. She quickly washed her hands and walked towards the bigger suture room which was mainly used for adult patients but stopped when Chelle called her name.

“What?” She asked.

“You uh…you might not want to go in there.”

“Why?” Adie asked slightly perplexed.

“Uh…Just trust me you don’t want to go in there,” Chelle tried again.

“Why is it something totally gross? Because you know I live for that stuff,” She asked her head turning quickly when she heard something crash to the floor and instinctively she made her way to where it noise had come from, opening the door quickly her breath catching when she caught site of why Chelle had warned her to not go in.

“See! I told you she was working!” He exclaimed to a quite clearly agitated Mike who stood and ripped of his gloves sending them flying into a nearby trash can before he made his way towards Adie taking hold of her arm as he walked her out of the room leaving Nick alone to shout his protests of her departure.

“What is he doing here?” She asked.

“He’s got a head lac and he is going to have one hell of a hangover in the morning,” He told her as he led her to the desk.

“He’s been drinking?” She asked.

“Yeah his friend dropped him off, slurred that he hit his head against the bar when he tried to punch him, knocked himself out.”

“Jesus,” She sighed. “Is he okay?”

“He’s fine, just needs some sutures and to sleep it off,” he reassured.

“Who bought him in? Are they in chairs?” She asked.

“No they left, literally dropped him off at triage and went back to the bar or so I assume. He’s uh…he’s being kind of difficult, refusing to let me treat him, he wants-”

“He wants me to do it doesn’t he?” She finished.

“Yeah. You don’t have to, by rights you shouldn’t because he’s…” he hesitated for a moment, “ Because you know him. I can handle him.”

“It’s fine Mike I can do it, it’s just sutures,” she said as she made her way back towards the room.

“Just holler if you need anything.”

“Actually could you call my sister and ask if one of them can come down here and pick him up?” She said handing him her cell phone.

“Sure thing, Your sister’s name is Rachel right?” He asked and she nodded.

She stood outside the door for a few seconds before she took a deep breath in and pushed it open, immediately very aware of the fact that she was pregnant, she felt as though she was nine months gone with a huge bump and that it would be immediately obvious to him but her fears where soon quashed when he looked at her, his eyes focused on hers. She quickly averted her gaze from his and she busied herself with getting the equipment together that she would need, internally feeling sicker and sicker with every passing second.

“Aren’t you even going to say hello?” He rasped.

“Hi,” she mumbled still not looking to him, concentrating on putting some gloves on.

“That’s it? Hi? No sorry I left you? No sorry I shut the door in your face? Maybe Brent was right,” he mumbled and as soon as she heard that name she knew instantly it was him who had left Nick here by himself.

“I should have guessed,” She said quietly but he still heard her.

“Guessed what?”

“That he was in town,” She said as she looked at the angry, bleeding wound on his forehead, making him wince when she touched it.

“He doesn’t like you, you know. Said that you made it perfectly clear when you met him that you didn’t like him either,” He told her.

“I don’t like him,” She admitted.

“He’s my friend,” He defended.

“Yeah some friend, left you in an emergency room by yourself after you managed to knock yourself out. Friends don’t do that Nick, friends don’t use you for your connections or for your studio, or for your money,” she sternly told him. “You should get max fax to look at this, it’s a big lac, they’d be able to close it better so you’d have less scarring.”

“I want you to do it,” he told her totally disregarding what she had just said about his friend.

“Fine,” she huffed, “But I can’t guarantee you won’t have a nasty looking scar.”

“You’ll do a good job, I trust you,” He told her closing his eyes when she softly began to clean the blood. “I still trust you, you know, even after all this I still love you, “ He said softly.

“This might sting a bit but you need to hold still,” she warned him, trying to ignore what he had just said as she began to inject the local anaesthetic into his wound making him hiss in the pain it caused. “Sorry,” she apologised.

The room was quiet for a few minutes the only sound coming from outside in the busy ER and she was so glad that his eyes remained closed because she didn’t think she could bare to see the look of pain in them, the pain she had caused. She looked at his face and wanted nothing more then to lean down and place a kiss on his plump lips, to wrap her arms around him and hold him because it was those arms right there that made her feel safe and protected and warm. Too much had changed now though, it would mean going back to how they were before but this time there would be a baby in the way to complicate things and she knew he would end up resenting the situation they were in because it hadn’t been planned, because it was something that he hadn't wanted and she knew that no matter how much she needed to tell someone she couldn’t tell him now.

“I miss you. Do you miss me?” He asked opening his eyes to her, his blue eyes pleading with her to say she did.

“You need to keep your eyes closed so the tension stays right,” She lied avoiding his question.

“Do you miss me Adie?” He asked again.

“Nick…”

“It’s a simple question.”

She hesitated for a moment before answering very quietly, “Yes.”

“Then come back,” he pleaded.

“I can’t,” she told him.

“Why?” He asked sadly.

“Because nothing will change, we’ll just end up how we were before and I can’t live my life like that,” She admitted.

“But I want to change, I want to open up to you. We were supposed to be going to therapy together can’t we do that? Can’t you at least give us a shot?” He asked.

“I’m all done here,” She said dodging his question as she placed a piece of gauze across the wound and taped it in place. “You need to keep it clean and dry and come back in five days to have them out. Alex or Rachel will be here soon to pick you up.”

“Pick me up?” he questioned as he opened his eyes and sat up slowly.

“Yeah you can’t go home by yourself when you’ve hit you head,” she said as she cleaned the mess up.

“Brent is staying at ours I don’t need Alex to baby-sit me,” he said swinging his legs around and almost falling off the gurney when he lost his balance. She quickly reached out to steady him as she rolled her eyes at his last comment.

“You are not going home with Brent, I wouldn’t trust him with a gold fish. Alex will be here shortly, do not move from this room until he arrives,” she told him sternly as she made a move towards the door but he reached for her, grabbing her arm before she could make an escape.

“Stay with me?” he asked and she knew he just didn’t mean now.

She sighed as she looked away from him, pulling her arm out of his grasp as she walked towards the door, whispering, “I can’t,” before she walked through it.

 

End Notes:
Let me know what you think. I am inspired by feedback!
Falling Down by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Nick finally admits how he feels

Nick knew before he even opened his eyes that it wasn’t going to be a good day. His mouth felt like sandpaper, he moaned when he moved and felt his belt buckle dig into his waist and he silently chastised himself for sleeping in his clothes but the dead giveaway that he was in for a crappy day was the pounding in his head. He felt like he had done at least ten rounds with Mike Tyson and that after that his head had obviously been run over by a bus. He sighed deeply knowing that no matter how hard he tried there was no way he was going to be able to get back to sleep in the position he was in and so he mentally braced himself for the aching that was sure to ensue as and after he moved. He didn’t expect to land with a loud thud on the hardwood flooring, after falling out of his bed, Hang on? I don’t have hardwood flooring he remembered, so where the hell was he? He opened one eye and groaned loudly when he spotted the unmistakable foot of Rachel’s, her tattoo a dead giveaway of where he was.

“Alex he’s finally awake,” She yelled making Nick moan when her piercing screech made his head ache ten times worse. “Sorry was that a bit loud?” She sarcastically added before she left the room. He sighed deeply as he tried to snuggle into his own arm to try in a vain attempt to get back to sleep but as soon as he heard the approaching foot steps he knew he was going to be allowed that pleasure.

“Get up Nick,” Alex rasped.

“Don’t wanna,” he mumbled hoarsely, opening one eye casting it on his friend.

“You’ll regret it later,” Alex told him as he held out a hand and after sighing yet again Nick accepted and let Alex help him up from the floor, falling back against the couch when he was finally off the floor. He accepted the steaming cup of coffee that was handed to him, and even managed a small smile of thanks, a smile that quickly faded when he noticed a certain someone over Alex’s shoulder.

“Oh shit.”

“Nice to see you to Nick,” Kevin laughed.

“You called him?” He asked Alex who was sat in the arm chair on the opposite side of the coffee table.

He shook his head, “No he was already coming down anyway.”

“So now both of you are going to bust my ass?” He whined.

“I’m getting to old to bust your ass Nick,” Kevin told him as he sat down next to him on the couch. “We just want to talk that’s all.”

“Bout what?” He yawned trying to act aloof.

“About how you’ve slipped back into old habits,” Alex told him.

Nick looked at him for a few moments before taking a long sip of his coffee. He really did not want to get into this now all he wanted was a shower, a few pain killers and a nice comfy bed, an intervention into his life was not on that list. He didn’t need people to tell him where he went wrong and what was wrong with his current situation, he didn’t need to be shown that his life was once again in the crapper and that no matter how hard he tried, things never ended up the way he hoped. He knew all that and it was what he had been trying so hard to get away from yesterday, hadn’t really worked though, not that he could remember much, but obviously if he was here trying to sleep off one mother of a hangover it obviously had been unsuccessful.

“Don’t think you can get out of this without saying anything,” Kevin told him as he sat down on the couch beside him.

“It was one night out. Not like I’m having a Jack for breakfast,” He said defensively, glaring at Alex who just stared back at him before rubbing the back of his head when Kevin slapped it. “Jesus Kev.”

“That was-” He started.

Alex cut in though and with a small smile said, “Touché Nicky Boy but this is how I started. Drinking to try and forget never works and if you are honest with yourself that was what you were trying to do wasn’t it?”

“It was just…I wanted some fun with the guys,” He mumbled focusing on looking anywhere but the two sets of concerned eyes currently fixed on him.

“Do you remember any of last night?” Alex asked.

“Some,” He shrugged.

“Remember knocking yourself out? Ending up in the emergency room? Seeing Adie?” He questioned.

At the mere mention of her name his head snapped up as he asked, “I saw her?”

“She stitched your head back together. She was the one who called me to come and get you.”

“Stitched my head back together?” He asked confused.

“Yeah. Look…I know you’re down but going out and trying to drink your problems away is going to get you nowhere,” Alex told him.

“Jesus Christ one fucking night out that got out of hand and I’m a fucking raging alcoholic who is trying to run from my problems,” Nick exploded. “Don’t you think you guys are a little early for an intervention?” He spat as he stood up.

“Nick-” Kevin warned remaining in his seat.

“No,” Nick said shaking his head, “You don’t get a say in this anymore, you left remember you don’t get to come back here and tell me what a fuck up I am, and how to live my life, you lost that privilege when you left and you…” he said, turning quickly on his heel and pointing at Alex, “…I don’t need your help, I don’t need your advice and I don’t need you to be concerned about me.”

“Nick,” Kevin called after him as he quickly and angrily strode out of the room.

“Let him go Kev,” Alex advised as he reclined back into his seat with a pensive sigh, knowing it was going to be a lot harder then he first thought in trying to help Nick break down some of his barriers.

***

He sat outside on the railing that separated the deck from the rest of garden as he stared out at the lavish greenery in front of him, not really seeing it anyway as he was too lost in his own thoughts and anger to enjoy the warm June day for what it was. He wanted nothing more then to get out of there, to go home and just sleep, god if he could just sleep then maybe he could start to make some sense of all this, but insomnia was a bitch and even when he did manage to drift off all he could dream about was her.

All he wanted was Adie back and he had thought that seeing her last night had been a dream but it hadn’t been, it had been real. He slowly reached up and touched the small gauze patch still stuck to his forehead, what a great impression that would have made on her, he thought angrily to himself. Then again her fixing his hand up had been how they had met in the first place, if they could only get back to where they had been in the beginning, to where it had been fun and light hearted, why did relationships have to progress? Why did things have to change so drastically? Why hadn’t he been enough for her? The mere thought of all these questions made his head start to pound even more and he jumped off the railing squinting when the movement made his whole body ache.

“I’m surprised you’ve not bailed already,” he heard a familiar voice from behind and he couldn’t stop the small smirk that spread across his face as he turned round to a women who had become like a big sister to him over the years.

“And miss your fine ass Kris? Never,” He joked. Okay so he had had a huge crush on her when he was younger, she had known about it to, everyone had, it had been that damn obvious. Once he had gotten past that stage, past the embarrassment he suffered when he was in her presence, he had managed to form a very strong bond. The pair had become fast friends when Kevin had finally seen sense and realised he needed her in his life and Nick knew she was someone who he could and had turned to when things got too much for him on the road when he was younger, she had then become a person to offer him advice about girls, had been there for him throughout all of is familiarly issues. He felt more comfortable around her then anyone, and truly viewed her like an older sister, just like he viewed Kevin as his older brother, she was probably the only person he felt comfortable enough with to show his true emotions, she had seen him loose his temper, scream until his lungs gave out, pummel a wall in frustration and she had been there to hold him when he cried because he felt like his whole world was crashing down.

February 2006

“You okay?” Adie asked him for what felt like the millionth time that day and now he was starting to get pissed off. Of course he wasn’t okay, not twenty four hours ago one of his band mates, one of his best friends, a man he classed as his brother had dropped the bombshell on him that he didn’t want to be a part of the amazing brotherhood that had been created, that this life wasn’t for him anymore and he wanted out. So no, he wasn’t okay, he was angry, he was frustrated, but most of all he felt rejected yet again and yet even though he had all these feelings surging around his system, to the point where he felt he might actually throw up, he continued to lie to her.

“I’m fine,” He mumbled as he flicked through the TV stations not even glancing at her. No wonder she wasn’t buying it, that didn’t even sound convincing to his own ears.

“You know you can talk to me about it don’t you?” She offered rubbing her hand over his shoulder as she sat down on the bed next to him.

“Mmmhmm.”

“It’s okay to feel angry, to be upset-” She tried but he interrupted quickly.

“I’m not upset,” he said sitting up quickly.

She cocked her head to the side and raised an eyebrow up at him, asking sceptically “So the glass just broke itself?”

“You weren’t supposed to see that,” he blushed, casting his eyes down to the comforter to avoid her questioning gaze

“Might help if you talk about it, you know save a few glasses and the risk of a trip to an ER? I am on vacation you know,” She joked glancing at the band aid on his hand from the shard of glass that had punctured his skin when he had angrily tried to clear the mess up.

“Sorry,” He apologised again.

“Stop saying sorry and stop saying you’re okay when you’re not. I know we haven’t known each other for very long and it’s okay if you don’t feel comfortable talking to me about this but I think you need to talk to someone about how you feel and I think the best person would be Kevin,” She tried taking his hand in hers squeezing it when he scoffed at her suggestion. “Hear me out? If you carry on avoiding him I think you are going to regret it because like it or not this is going to be his last tour so you need to enjoy it. That’s all I’m going to say okay? Look…” she hesitated for a few seconds, “…I’m gona go and do some shopping, give you some time alone.”

“You don’t have to,” He said quickly looking to her.

“I think you need some space to think and I’m like a broken record asking you if you’re okay at the moment. I’ll only be a couple of hours,” she said as she kissed his hand before letting it go and collecting her purse before she made her way towards the door. “Talk to him.”

He watched as she shut the door behind her and then fell back against the pillows, covering his face with his hands, a vain attempt at trying to stop his eyes from welling up. He couldn’t speak to Kevin, not yet anyway.

***

The knock on the door was persistent and was enough to pull him from the slight slumber he had fallen into after an hour of staring at the TV, his mind going a mile a minute. He reluctantly pulled himself from the comfort and security of the bed and walked slowly over to the door, half expecting it to be Kevin or one of the others telling him to grow up and deal. He did not expect it to be her and he didn’t know why but the moment their eyes met he burst into tears.

“Nicky C,” Kristin sighed as she pulled him into her warm arms and he cried into her shoulder, eventually letting her lead him to the bed so they could sit down and Nick even managed to compose himself wiping his runny nose on his sleeve. “Nick there is a box of tissues right next to you,” she scolded.

“So,” He grumbled.

“This wasn’t an easy decision for him you know,” she said making herself comfortable by sitting Indian style on his bed, making sure to kick off her flip flops.

“Whatever,” he said as he fell back against the comforter, his legs hanging off the end of the bed as he laid sideways across it.

“Come on you douchbag I haven’t flown all the way out here for you to ignore what I have to say,” she said prodding him and Nick sighed as he sat himself up and looked at her.

“He wants to talk to you, said that you’ve avoided him for a whole day now and whether you’re meaning to or not you’re hurting him by doing that.”

“Well he’s hurt me,” He retaliated sounding like the spoiled brat he had once been, the spoiled brat that people thought he had grown out of, when in truth he had just been in hiding for a while. “Talk to him Kris, you can make him stay, he’ll listen to you,” he pleaded taking her hand and she smiled at him warmly before running her free hand down his cheek.

“No one can make him stay, he’s made his mind up Nick,” She told him softly.

“But why now? Things have just taken off again,” He asked trying to understand.

“He has his reasons, like you have your reasons as to why you’re avoiding him. Right now you need to speak to each other, he needs to explain and you also have a right to tell him how you feel, although I have to say it’s kind of obvious,” She joked making him smile. “If you keep avoiding him you’re going to regret it sweetie, you are going to look back and think why didn’t I enjoy the rest of the tour?”

He chuckled slightly at her comment.

“What’s funny?” She asked puzzled.

“Just Adie told me the same thing.”

“Ahh I like her already. Am I going to get to meet her anytime soon?” She asked.

“She’s here,” He nodded, “Well at least I hope she still is after she saw me have a mini melt down.”

“Let me guess,” she said looking at his hand for a few seconds, “Okay no bruising, no cast, and Kev didn’t mention anything about broken noses so I’m guessing something got thrown at the wall?”

He chuckled again, “Am I that predictable?”

“She’s a nurse right?” Kristin asked and Nick nodded his head, “ Well that’s good at least she can patch you back up. Have you spoken to her about any of this or have you been shrugging her off?”

“The latter. I…I don’t want her to think I’m…to…” He hesitated his voice growing soft as he had trouble verbalising his feelings just like always.

“Emotion doesn’t make you weak Nick,” She said taking his hand and giving it a squeeze. “Have you told her you love her?” She asked.

“I don’t love her,” he said too defensively.

“Honey please. Kevin’s told me all about the two of you and hello how many times have we been on the phone? You don’t shut up about her. If you love her then tell her but first you need to go and see my husband, we can work on Adie later.”

***

“So what’s going on Nicky C?” Kristin asked holding a hand to her eyes trying to shield them from the bright light of the sun behind Nick.

“You know,” He shrugged, “Same old, same old.”

He knew she wouldn’t buy it, and after all these years he didn’t know why he disrespected her by trying to shrug her off, by acting that his world falling apart was nothing, just a regular occurrence. He groaned deeply when she pulled him by the hand and sat him down on the steps of the decking, he might have been able to get away from Kevin and Alex easily but Kristin was like their secret weapon, and he knew he was going to be there until he spilled all.

“Are we going to try again?” She asked raising her eye brows, glaring at him slightly.

“Damn Kris you’ve been a Mom for eleven months and you already have the scary look down pat,” he tried to joke but she knew he was trying to stall and didn’t play to his attempt.

“Okay lets get all your attempts out of the way shall we? Mason is great, he’s saying Mama and Dada and a few other words, he’s crawling, pulling himself up and I don’t think it is going to be long before he starts walking. He’s upstairs taking a nap and you can see him later. I’m great, Kev’s great, we’re staying for a few days before we go to Kentucky for Mason’s birthday. Ann’s fine, Tim is fine and Jerry is fine, the whole family is great and yes you should call Ann and thank her for your birthday card, she won’t care that you’re only six months late in doing so. Now…you and I are going to talk about what is going on with you at the moment,” she told him sternly.

“My relationship is over, nothing that hasn’t happened before,” He shrugged trying to play it down, but his voice almost breaking gave him away.

“Why are you trying to make out that you’re okay? Why are you trying to lie to me? To everyone? Why didn’t you call me when this happened?” She asked and he could hear the hurt in her voice.

“Because it’s not a big deal,” He shrugged again, choosing to keep his eyes on his sneakers, noticing the blood stain most likely from his head on them. Kristin wasn’t having that though and before he knew it her hand had come underneath his chin and he found himself looking into her concerned hazel eyes.

“If it’s not a big deal then why won’t you look at me? If it’s not a big deal why are you crying?” She asked wiping the tear that trickled from his eyes.

“Because…because I’m strung out and hung over and over tired and I just want my bed and I don’t want some crappy intervention where you guys try and get all up in my business,” he said pushing her hand away, wiping at his own eyes.

“We’re worried about you,” She told him.

“Well stop okay? I’m a grown up now you have Mason to worry about, I can sort myself out, I don’t need you worrying about me!” He angrily told her standing up as he walked towards the house but his yelling had bought Alex, Rachel and Kevin out to investigate.

“So you are going to sort yourself out by going and getting wasted? By getting into fights and ending up in an emergency room after you knocked yourself out? By not remembering half of the things you did last night?” Kristin yelled back throwing her arms up in exasperation.

“Why is this any of your business?” He raged, turning back to face her.

“Because I care about you Nick,” She tried, her eyes softening as she made her way over to him.

“Well I don’t want you to, I don’t need you to tell me how fucked up my life is!” He yelled again.

“We’re not here to tell you that, we’re here to try and help you little man,” Kevin tried knowing instantly when Nick spun round to him with a glare, that the nickname had not been a good idea.

“Don’t fucking call me that. I’m twenty eight and this is my life and I don’t need any of you.”

“So you want us to back off?” Alex asked. “You want us to leave you to it? To not care about you? To let you get wasted to try and forget about Adie? You want us to sit back and watch you piss your life away? We can’t win with you Nick,” he told the blonde. “Whatever we try and do is always wrong. We try and offer support and advice and you don’t want it, and then when we leave you to it, when we don’t call to see how you are we’re wrong too. You’re quite clearly hurting right now and nobody could blame you for that, and I don’t like seeing my brother hurt. Now if you want me to back then I will, if that is what you really want I’ll do it but don’t ever expect me to stop caring about you.”

Nick was quiet for a moment, contemplating what Alex had just said and deep down he knew every word was true. He hated it when people tried to talk to him about how he was feeling, it meant having to open up, it meant showing them his weaker side, it meant being venerable, and to Nick being venerable meant being taken advantage of. Even though he knew the people surrounding him right now would never even dream of doing that, he still put up this barrier, this huge wall that had been built up over the years to protect himself. The problem was it was working far too well and keeping out the people that should have been let in. He also knew that if no one showed any ounce of caring or support he would also be pissed and it would just reiterate that fact that he did not matter, that no one cared, just like he had felt when he had been recording his solo album. He didn’t know what was more frustrating, people being to overbearing or people not showing the slightest bit of interest.

He tried to take in a breath to say something but when he locked eyes with Rachel, whose eyes were filled with tears, he lost all resolve and the only sound that escaped his lips was of a sob as he let the tears fall freely down his eyes, no longer caring about being venerable. Rachel was by his side in an instant, wrapping her arms around his neck and bringing his head to rest in the crook of her shoulder, rubbing his back in a circular motion to try and soothe him.

“What do you want Nick?” She asked quietly.

“The only thing I want is your sister, she’s all I want,” he sniffed.

End Notes:
As always reviews help speed up the updating process!!!!!
Sweet Misery by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Adie admits her pregnancy to someone

After his breakdown in Alex and Rachel’s back yard Nick had been so exhausted that he had ended up sleeping for the rest of the afternoon in one of their spare bedrooms, only waking when Rachel told him that dinner was ready. He had wanted to say that he wasn’t hungry, he really didn’t feel like any interaction with anyone, but he knew it was just easier to give in, so he had pulled himself out of the comfy bed and headed towards the shower first in an attempt to feel a bit better. The table had been full of conversation between the other two couples but Nick had been unusually quiet, choosing to keep Mason entertained then join in with any adult chit chat. The others had chosen to ignore it, knowing that he didn’t need to be fussed on now, that had been done earlier to get up to finally admit to himself how much he was hurting and now he just needed to try and work through everything in his head. Maybe that was why, at three o’clock in the morning he was sat in wide awake in the living room, staring at TV that was muted so not to wake the rest of the household up.

His mind just seemed blank, he knew what he wanted but he just couldn’t figure out a way to get her back, she seemed pretty certain that it was over, that there was just no going back. He had started to remember snippets of their unplanned meeting the night before, the way she smelled, the pink stethoscope slung around her neck, her hands on his head, the way her voice had sounded so soft and inviting, the way in which she surprised him by admitting that she missed him. Well if she missed him why couldn’t she give them both another shot? Why couldn’t she look past their problems? Why couldn’t she realise that they could get past them? Why couldn’t she see how happy they could be?

“Can’t sleep either?” Rachel asked from the doorway, making Nick turn his head to look at her.

“I kind of slept the day away,” he told her as he moved his feet so she could sit beside him. “What’s your excuse?”

“Two tiny feet under my rib cage,” she sighed.

“Only a couple more months though,” he said.

“Yeah,” she said rubbing her hand over her large rounded belly. “How you doin?”

“I just want her back Rach. Do you know how it feels to love someone so much and then find out they don’t feel the same about you?” He asked letting Rachel grab his hand.

“Listen to me, she does love you. I don’t know why she felt the need to do what she did, but she does love you. I’ve never seen her…trust me from the way she talked about you, acted around you, she loves you Nick,” she said squeezing his hand.

“That was enough for me but it wasn’t enough for her. Maybe she was right to do what she did, because she deserves the best Rach, she deserves everything and I don’t know if I can give her that. I don’t know if I am ever going to be ready to marry her, to have kids with her, and that’s what she wants.”

“Why though? Why do you feel that you can’t?” She asked and Nick just shrugged and remained silent, not looking at her. “The whole marriage thing I kind of understand, you know it’s not for everyone at the end of the day all its is, is just a piece of paper, a ring and name change, just you because you haven’t married doesn’t mean you love her any less. The whole kids thing though I don’t get because you would make an awesome Dad Nick, you really would. Baylee adores you, I was watching at dinner when you had Mason and I want you to have that kind of relationship with my baby. You know I think right now that would be enough for Adie, she’s always wanted a family Nick.”

“That’s what scares me the most. It’s different when it’s other people’s kids, you know you can hand them back and you don’t have any responsibility towards them but when it’s yours…I just…I don’t want to screw up and have them resent me for it,” He admitted.

“Do you still love your parents Nick?” She asked.

“Yeah,” he mumbled.

“Even after all they put you through and I know I don’t half of it but from what I’ve heard from Alex…you know it’s the same with him, he resents his Dad for walking out but he still loves him, even though he’s not in his life anymore I know he still does. He’s already told me that he’s going to be the best Dad he can be because he’s learnt his own dad’s mistake.”

“I’ve tried stuff like that though, I’ve tried being different, I’ve tried learning from other people’s mistakes. I changed so much for her, I changed my whole life style for her and it wasn’t enough,” he said referring to his weight loss, his decrease in partying and his whole outlook.

“That’s your problem right there, you were doing it for her and not yourself. If you want to change it needs to be for you.”

“What if it’s too late?”

“She loves you so it’s never going to be too late.”

***

She looked at the clock, and sighed in relief only two more hours to go until she could collapse into her nice warm cosy bed for the whole entire day and on the plus side of that was that tonight was her last night shift and she wasn’t due back for another five days. The whole five days thing was a bit of a downer when she really thought about it though, it meant five days of being on her own, of thinking about him and about how she was going to cope with the child that she was carrying. For the first few days it hadn’t seemed real, yeah she had the constant reminder because of the morning sickness but she had tried not to think about it too much, but today she had her first OBGYN appointment and she knew that as soon as that was over, as soon as this whole thing was confirmed by sonogram there would and could be no denying it. It was a miracle that she had been able to keep it secret for this long.

She knew that Chelle was becoming suspicious, that her excuses of being tired and stomach bugs were not going to cut it for much longer and she didn’t know why she hadn’t come out and told her. Chelle was her best friend and Adie knew that she wouldn’t be judgemental, she probably wouldn’t be shocked and she knew it would probably lift the huge weight that seemed to be currently crushing her but she just couldn’t seem to get the words out. She felt like she needed to tell Nick, that because it was his child she was carrying he had the right to be the first one to know but she just didn’t know how to tell him that in seven months he was going to be a Father. It was so difficult though because the only times she had seen him had ended unpleasantly and had played on her mind for days, she had found herself second guessing what she had done but she was well aware that this whole pregnancy really complicated the situation she was in now. He hadn’t wanted to be a Father, that had been their whole problem, now he was going to be one whether he liked the idea or not, and even if they were still together it wasn’t going to be an easy conversation. She needed to time it right, but the longer she left it the harder it would be to tell him and the likelihood was that he would either guess or find out via someone else anyway.

She could feel the bile start to ebb it’s way up from her stomach, and quickly called Chelle to take over plastering the child’s leg for her before she made her way towards the bathrooms. She couldn’t wait for this part to be over, the sickness was really starting to take it’s toll of her, making her feel even more exhausted, as if the lack of sleep worrying about her future wasn’t enough. Once she finished emptying the contents of her stomach into the toilet she flushed it away, and walked out of the stall, inwardly sighing to herself when Chelle was resting against the sinks.

“You should go home,” She said as Adie rinsed her mouth out.

“I’m fine it’s just a couple more hours,” Adie replied as she looked at her pale complexion in the mirror, noticing the huge bags under her eyes.

“I can get you some ondansatron if you want,” She offered but Adie shook her head as she didn’t know whether the anti sickness drug could harm the child she was carrying. “I don’t think anyone is going to mind if it’s going to make you feel better,” Chelle said and that was when Adie knew her friend was beginning to connect the dots, she had to get out of here and fast.

“No I’m fine, really, I feel better now it’s all up,” she said as she wiped her hands on the paper towel.

“Well if your infectious you shouldn’t be here,” She pointed out.

“I think it’s stress related, I mean you don’t have it do you?” Adie said.

“Yeah that’s right I don’t,” Chelle said and Adie could detected the hint of sarcasm in her voice.

“Did you finish the plaster?” Adie asked as she headed towards the door.

“Yeah but ortho want another X-ray, I think your going to have to hold for it so they can get the angle right,” Chelle told her and Adie knew that she was completely busted now. There was no way she was going to be able to ask Chelle to hold for the x-ray without her getting more suspicious then she already was and she had no other excuse she could use.

“Oh…I uh…” she stammered.

“Are you going to start being honest with me?” Chelle asked.

“What do you mean?” Adie asked her back to her friend as she reached for the handle of the door.

“I’m not stupid Adie please don’t treat me like I am. Just tell me,” Chelle said as she places a hand on her best friends shoulder and with that touch Adie could no longer hold it in, the frustration of holding this huge secret inside finding its way out through her tear filled confession.

“I’m pregnant. Oh God Chelle I’m pregnant by the guy I walked away from.”

***

“You’ve been quiet today,” Kevin told Nick as he sat beside him on the lawn chair.

“Don’t really have a lot to say,” He shrugged.

“Well that’s a first,” Kevin joked and Nick even managed a small smirk before it quickly faded and the pensive look returned.

“Do you think I’m a screw up Kev?” He asked as he just stared out in front of him, not really seeing any of the garden.

“No I don’t think you’re a screw up. I think you make some bad decisions sometimes but everyone makes bad decisions Nick and that’s how we learn.”

“My life just seems to be one bad decision after the other though,” he sighed.

“Alright stop,” He said quite harshly making Nick look to him, “I’m not going to sit hear and listen to you get down on yourself. Yeah you’ve had a rough ride Nick, you’ve been put through the ringer by your parents and by ex girlfriends, yeah supposed friends have stabbed you in the back, yeah Adie left you but sitting here and moping about it and feeling sorry for yourself isn’t going to change any of that.”

“That’s amazingly helpful Kev,” Nick shot back snarkaly.

“Do you want her back?” He asked.

“Of course I do,” Nick replied.

“Then you need to prove to her that you are someone worth being with, that she needs to be with you and so far all you’ve done is turn up where she works drunk after knocking yourself out. What kind of message does that send to her?” Kevin asked raising an eyebrow to him.

Nick sighed in frustration, “Not a great one.”

“No,” Kevin agreed.

“I just don’t know what I can do, we both want different things how can it work when we are both so different? You know she wants to settle down and have a family and all that stuff and I don’t want that,” Nick said playing with the toggle on his hoodie, a habit he had when he got uncomfortable talking about things.

“You don’t want it or your scared to want it?” Kevin prompted but Nick stayed silent confirming what Kevin thought. “Look man, you need to get past what’s happened with your parents and with your family and move on, because right now it’s holding you back and it’s not had your past it’s about to take your future from you and do you really want that?”

Nick shook his head, sniffing slightly and Kevin moved his seat so he was sat dead opposite his friend placing a hand on Nicks leg before continuing. “You need to talk to her, you need to let her in because if you did then maybe she would understand why you’re like this and why it takes you so long to trust people. You know she’s not going to judge you or think bad of you Nick, I know I’ve only met Adie a few times but I can tell she’s not that sort of person and I think she would be really good at helping you through this. That’s why I don’t understand why you won't talk to her, You talk to Kris, you talk to Leigh, I think Rachel is starting to see the true you know but all those people don't matter, the only person who really matters is Adie.”

“I just don’t know where to start. I don’t know if she’ll even talk to me,” Nick mumbled.

“You don’t know until you try. Are you staying tonight or are you going home?” Kevin asked.

“I should really go, I need to deal with Brent,” He sighed.

“What you going to do about them?” Kevin asked.

“I think Adie was right, they’re just using me for my studio and right now I really don’t need them here. If I’m going to get her back…I have to get her back so I have to make some changes.”

***

She sat and studied the picture in her hand, two tiny hands, two tiny feet, arms, legs, a head and a body. That was her baby, that was their baby, the child that was growing inside her, making good progress according to Dr McManus, a healthy strong heart beat, no visible problems and according to the size the Doctor concluded that the conception date had to be around the end of March which put her due date 27th November, a mere five months away. Now it all seemed real, this time next year her baby, their daughter, would be almost seven months old and all Adie could seem to think about was how she would have share her time between two houses, how she would have to grow up knowing her parents had been separated before she was even born.

“So when are you going to tell Nick that he has a daughter?” Chelle asked handing Adie a cup of tea, the comment making Adie tear up yet again. “Sweetie…he has a right to know.”

“I know that,” she snapped. “I know he does and I don’t plan on keeping it from him, just…do you know how hard this is going to be to tell him? You know the whole time I was having the sonogram all I wanted was to look over and see him there, to feel him hold my hand and squeeze it when she told me it was healthy, to see him smile when I was told I was having a girl,” she cried, letting Chelle grab her into a hug.

“Look you don’t know how he is going to react to this. You know he could surprise you, knowing that this is real and this is happening and that your having his baby might be the kick up the butt he needs. But until he knows…you can’t keep this a secret forever honey, I would say you got a few weeks at best before you start to show and you need to tell him before then,” Chelle offered rubbing her friends back.

“I just don’t want him to think that I’ve done this on purpose because I haven’t. God this should be such a happy time in my life, I’m about to become a Mother, it shouldn’t be like this,” she continued to cry.

“You need to tell him,” Chelle reiterated.

“I know. I know I do and the next time I see him I will, by the end of the week he’ll know,” She said pulling away, not realising that in less then twenty four hours Nick would be standing right in front of her.

End Notes:
Let me know what you think!
Hush Hush by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Adie has an accident at work, after seeing Nick

It had been a difficult few days for Nick but he had decided that in order to get Adie back, to show her that he was serious about their relationship and wanting her in his future, he needed to make some drastic changes in his life and he needed to do it now.

The first thing he had done once he left Alex and Rachel’s was to ask Brent and the rest of the guys to leave, of course this had been quite difficult, ending in an all out shouting match in which Nick knew the friendship would be beyond repair. That didn’t seem to bother him though because deep down he knew that Adie had been right, Brent had just been using him for his connections and his studio, and he needed to clear people like that out of his life.

After he had thrown Brent out he had spent most of the next day lying in bed or on the couch trying to convince himself that he was coming up with ways to get Adie back into his life when all he was doing was moping and feeling sorry for himself, and after he consumed his second Swiss roll in one day he realised that he was slipping back into dangerous habits.

That’s when he had decided that a clear out was in order and if he was really going to change and show her that he was ready for commitment then he needed to let go of the baggage that was holding him back. So the first thing he had done was make his way up to the studio that also doubled as his office and unlocked the drawer that held the journals he had kept ever since he had started therapy just after house of carters had finished, and it was in that drawer where he stumbled across the book that Kevin had given him so long ago.

January 28th 2001

Nick had been confused when Kevin had pulled him to one side before they left the hotel for the big game, and now, even after he had unwrapped the small gift, he was no clearer. He had thought that the new watch he was wearing was his present from Him and Kris, and that had been enough because he knew how expensive that had been, so to be handed this present had caught him off guard and what was even stranger was that Kevin had chosen to give it to him in private.

He looked at the bold letters on the front of the book, and then to the crinkled, dog eared pages, the cheapskate hadn’t even sprung for a new book, before he looked up to Kevin expectantly.

“It’s a good book, someone gave it to me after my Dad died, and it has helped me through some tough times, so now I’m passing it on to you,” he said hitting him on the shoulder.

“Thanks,” Nick smiled.

“Make sure you read it,” Kevin had told him but in true Nick fashion said book had found it’s way to the bottom of his rucksack and then into some random drawer, never really seeing the light of day.

“Why some positive thinkers get powerful results,” he read aloud as he turned the book over in his hand to read the blurb before he had made himself comfortable and began reading what the book held inside

.

The book had captured his attention so much that by the following morning he already felt more positive about things and so had called Rebecca, his therapist, and had scheduled an urgent meeting with her which was where he was currently sat.

“So what your saying is this all comes back down to your trust issues?” Rebecca questioned after he had updated her about the past few months in his life.

“Basically,” He sighed, “I know what I want now though.”

“That’s good,” she told him, “But you have to be able to trust her Nick, because if you can’t trust her then it’s not going to work which is why I think she left.”

“I know that. I know I need to open up and let her in but I find it difficult, that part of me is so locked away, dead and buried,” he tried.

“But is it though? It’s still effecting you, no matter how many times you try and tell yourself that you are over the past, I don’t think you are and you need to get some closure on it because until you do this is just going to be a vicious cycle. You could meet the nicest person in the world, who would never hurt you, but if you can’t trust them, if you can’t be one hundred percent yourself around them, then it’s never going to work.”

“The only way I’m going to get closure is to talk about it isn’t it?” Nick realised.

“Yes. You said you accused Adie of trying to get pregnant behind your back, why did you think she would so something like that? Has she ever given you any indication that she would lie to you to get you to do what she wanted?” Rebecca asked.

He could feel the blush creep into his cheeks as he sighed not really wanting to talk about the whole topic because he still couldn’t believe how much of an ass he had been about it, no wonder she had left him. “No she hadn’t, she has never given me any reason to doubt her and I still go an do it anyway. I just…I guess I was waiting for a reason for me to end things, it’s always the same when things get too serious. You know with other women…I went out with them because I knew deep down that they weren’t the one, that they would somehow use me and that would be my reason for breaking things off, the ball was always in my court but since I met her…I don’t know,” he broke off not wanting to divulge too much.

“No carry on, what were you trying to say?” Rebecca probed.

“When I first saw her I didn’t think that anything would come of it, I thought it would be a one night stand to add to the tour, she was kind of my challenge for Nashville because she turned me down to begin with. The whole aim was to just see if I could get her into bed.”

“So what changed? By the time you started coming to see me you were already well into your relationship with her, what changed so that she wasn’t just a conquest?” Rebecca asked.

August 2005

He looked at his watch and couldn’t believe how quickly the time had flown by, it was already two am, usually he would have wrapped up the conversation long before now and would have steered her towards his bed for the night but she was different. She had been so quiet, shy and maybe just a little bit star struck back at the venue but since they had been here, it was like she was a whole different person. She was vibrant, full of mischievous energy, had a great laugh, amazing smile but most of all she listened to him when he talked, it was almost as of she was looking past the fame, looking past everything else and for the first time in a long time Nick felt like he was just a normal guy out on a normal date.

They had just spent hours just talking, getting to know each other. He had learned that she was a children’s nurse as well as an emergency nurse practitioner, had trained in London England and had moved back a couple of years ago. He knew her favourite drink was vodka and coke but diet coke, not fat coke as she called it. He thought her sense of humour rocked, her taste in music was very similar to his, their love of eighties cheese had been a huge topic of conversation but the best part was she hadn’t questioned him about his fame once. Sure the topic of his job had come up, but it was mainly about all the travelling he had done, how he managed to remember all the dance steps, and why he had felt the need to break Kevin’s nose. There had been no discussion about his crumbling family, about his very public break-up with Paris and for that he had been thankful.

“That looks very interesting,” he said as she placed the pint of Guinness in front of him.

“If you are in an Irish bar you have to try it, it would be like an Irishman coming to America and not eating…not eating…” she trailed off as she thought, her eyes trailing upwards as if that would give her the answer.

“Twinkies,” Nick offered.

“Right!” She exclaimed a little to excitedly, showing how drunk she actually was as she began to giggle.

“So where’s your Guinness then?” he asked noticing how she had only bought one pint back to the table, a glass of coke ,which probably had vodka in it, gracing her other hand.

She looked around before beckoning him closer, whispering into his ear, “It’s so totally gross!” She giggled making him laugh right along with her.

“Then why are you making me try it?” he asked , laughing at her confession as he started pushing the drink away from him.

“Because it’s one of those things in life that you have to just try, like a right of passage.”

“But we’re not even in Ireland! We’re in Nashville, can’t I just record a country album or something?” He joked making her giggle as she sat down across from him.

“I think you would definitely look hot in a nice white Stetson, maybe that could be your cover photo, a Stetson and nothing else, Nick Carter goes country!” She exclaimed waving one hand above her head.

“Yeah I don’t think so! So were you in Ireland when you tried Guinness?” He asked trying to find out more about her.

“Of course I actually went to the Guinness factory and had to pretend to like it! But that is a whole other story,” she replied as she leant her chin on her hand as she swirled the straw around in her coke. “Now stop procrastinating and just try it!” She insisted as she pushed the glass towards him and with a roll of his eyes, he took a swig, scrunching up his nose when the liquid trailed down his throat.

“That’s…oh god that’s awful,” he managed to say quietly to her making her giggle again, god that laugh was just so infectious, her whole mouth would curve upwards and her eyes would sparkle. At first he thought she had been kind of plain compared to the other women that he had dated, but she was naturally pretty, her chocolate brown eyes shining as she looked to him.

“It’s full of iron though, so it’s good if your anaemic or breast feeding,” she informed him with a wag of her finger.

“Damn am I leaking?” he joked, his hands reaching up to his chest, making her laugh again.

She was just about to reply when they were interrupted by one of the bar tenders, “Sorry guys but we’re closing.”

“Okay,” she smiled back to him and she downed the rest of her drink, eyeing him when he just pushed the drink away from him.

“There is no way I am downing that,” he told her making her laugh again.

“C’mon,” She said holding out her hand to him and he gladly accepted, standing up and letting her lead him towards the door.

“She listened to me, I don’t think I actually bought one drink that night,” He chuckled slightly. “It was just so easy to talk to her, like none of it was false, she wanted to be there because she liked me and not my lifestyle or my status and I don’t think I have ever really had that,” he admitted to Rebecca.

“So why do you think it’s gotten harder to talk to her? To trust her? You said yourself she’s done nothing to loose your trust,” She asked.

“I don’t know,” he shrugged.

“You do Nick, there has to be a reason,” She told him sternly.

“The only things she’s done is walk away but that was after…I had been closing her out long before then. It’s what I do when people get too close, when I get too much of a good thing in my life,” he said fiddling with the frayed hole in his jeans.

“To protect yourself?” Rebecca questioned and he just nodded not making eye contact with her. “Okay why don’t we leave it there for today. You’ve made really good progress Nick, are you still keeping the journals?”

“Yeah,” he replied.

“Good carry on with those and I’ll see you next week.”

***

Adie had read and rewritten the text so many times her thumb was now stating to get cramp but she still couldn’t find the right words to say, she knew she had to tell him in person, she needed to see his reaction but she didn’t want to get his hopes up when she sent him a text saying she needed to see him. She didn’t want him to think that it was because she was having doubts about her decision, god knew she was, all she kept thinking about was going back to him, waking up next to him in the morning, about him being there when she gave birth to their first child, finding him staring into a cot late at night when they were all home together. It wouldn’t be like that though, that was all just some ideal fantasy in her head because she knew this was going to be the biggest shock of his life and if he had been so closed off to the idea, she knew the reality was not going to be much better.

She looked at the clock on the wall and sighed when she realised that her break had finished, she was so exhausted so how the hell was she going to cope with being a Mom and work full time? The thought was just another stark reminder of what it was going to be like raising a child as a single Mother because if Nick wanted nothing to do with this pregnancy or his child then she sure as hell wanted nothing from him, she didn’t want to be tied to him for eighteen years while he paid child support for a child he never saw. Then another thought hit her, she still had to break the news to her family and although she knew her parents would never turn their backs on her, they had strong family values, she still hadn’t really had the guts to call them back after Rachel had obviously told them about hers and Nick’s separation.

She stood and tried to shake the stressful thoughts from her head, she was at work at the moment, there was nothing she could do about any of it now, all she could do was focus on how to do her job properly. So maybe that was why her heart flew into her throat when the first voice she heard when she vacated the staff room was Nick’s.

He hadn’t seen her yet, his back towards her as he talked to the new triage nurse. She had thought so much about what she would say to him, but nothing seemed to fit right and although she had promised Chelle she would tell him the first chance she got she knew it would not be today. She even contemplated turning and walking back into the coffee room so she could avoid him for that bit longer but the desk clerk gave her away and before she could even move a step he had turned and was facing her.

“Hi,” he smiled slightly.

“Hi,” She echoed. “What are you doing here?”

“I uh…I came to apologise for the other night and to get my stitches out,” he said making no move towards her.

“I’m surprised you can remember the other night,” she said sarcastically, her arms crossing over her chest in a vain effort to protect herself. He sighed and diverted his eyes downwards and for a minute Adie swore he stopped and stared at her mid section, almost as if he knew. She knew he couldn’t, that she was just paranoid but it still made her feel uneasy and she knew she had to get him out of there as quickly as she could.

“I’m sorry okay? That’s what I came here to say and if you don’t want to take my stitches out then that’s fine…I can wait for someone else,” he told her and she knew the small smirk that she saw had not been a figment of her imagination, it was his way of ensuring she would do it because he knew as well as she did that she did not want him sitting in the waiting room for a hours.

“Come on,” she said walking past him, swiping her ID card through the slot, walking through the doors as they opened. She didn’t know why, she could have taken is stitches out in one of the open bays in full view of everyone, but instead she chose to take him into one of the private consult rooms. He took a seat on the gurney as she pulled together all the kit she would need to remove the five stitches that had helped pull his skin back together, asking him to lie down when she was ready. “It might pull a little but it shouldn’t really hurt,” she warned him.

“I am really sorry you know,” he told her again, closing his eyes as she got to work.

“Uh huh.”

“Not just about last week either, about everything. You were totally right in what you said when I turned up at Chelle’s, I don’t trust you and you’ve done-”

“Nick,” she cut him off.

“Just let me finish, please?” He asked and after she sighed but kept quiet he continued. “You’ve done nothing to deserve that, it’s all me. This is what I do Adie, I protect myself from getting hurt but in doing that this time I lost you and that hurts so much more. I want you back, I know I have a lot to prove to you but I want you back.”

“No you don’t,” she told him as she pulled the last stitch from his head.

“Yeah I do,” he told her firmly opening his eyes and looking into hers.

There was a small voice in her head just yelling at her to tell him the truth, to see if he would be so adamant about working things out with her if he new the truth, and the words were just on the tip of her tongue, almost about to escape and change their lives forever but fate stepped in.

“Adie we need an extra set of hands in trauma two, got a patient doped up to the eyeballs, we’re having difficulty restraining him,” Mike said quickly sticking his head through the door.

“Okay be there in a sec,” she told him before turning to Nick, “It’s healed really nicely, just use some coco butter on area and your scar should fade quite nicely.” She turned to leave but he grabbed her hand and pulled her back towards him, lowering his lips to his, his hands coming to her cheeks to keep her head in place, not that she was even fighting him. It was quick and all he literally did was brush his lips against hers but it showed her how much she had really missed him.

“I love you and I am going to get you back, no matter how long takes,” He told her.

She was so stunned that she couldn’t even manage to get any words out and all she did was close her eyes to keep her tears at bay as she turned away from him and walked out the door and made her way down into the trauma room. Her mind was such a blur about all he had said to her, he loved her, he was working on ways to get her back, he understood why she was so unhappy.

“Can you grab me some haldol? Careful the floor’s just been mopped,” Mike told her as she walked into the trauma room. She quickly grabbed the drug, drew it up in the syringe and drew it up, coming extremely close to sticking herself with the needle due to her lack of concentration. She handed the syringe to Mike and tried to hold the guys arm still as he screamed obscenities at her, but she wasn’t really hearing any of them, her mind still focused on her conversation with Nick. With all those thoughts running through her head she quite clearly was not focusing on the task in front of her and maybe that was why she didn’t realise that the soft restraints on the large mans left arm had come loose before it was to late and he grabbed hold of her scrubs. He was so strong and she was so tiny and caught off guard that she didn’t have time to react as her midsection was slammed against the guard rail of the gurney so hard it winded her, this coupled by the damp flooring beneath her feet made her lose her footing and the last thing she remembered before her head hit the guard rail, plunging her into darkness was, My baby, oh god my baby!

End Notes:
DUN DUN DUN! OMG! Maybe she won't have to tell Nick after all?! Who knows? Tune in next week to find out but in the mean time let me know what you all think!
Daddy's eyes by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Nick finally finds out that he is going to be a Daddy

He knew. 

As soon as he felt her kiss him back he knew she still loved him, he knew that Rachel had been right in what she had told him, now all he had to do was prove to her he was worth being with.

That was where it got tricky.

If they hadn’t of been interrupted he was sure he would have been able to make her see, to convince her that all they needed was one more chance to make it work. That was all he needed, just one more chance to prove to her he could change, to make her understand why he had become so closed off. Telling her he could change wasn’t enough though, he needed to show her that he was already in the process of changing, that he loved her with all his heart and had done since they had been together, that he was ready to trust her. He just didn’t know what he could do to prove that to her, it was going to take some thinking and it was going to be difficult. All that didn’t matter though, because that kiss had proved everything to him, it had filled him with hope and even though there was still a long road in front of him, still a difficult battle to win her back, Nick left the hospital smiling.

***

When you work in medicine your trained to know that the first sense to come back as you regain consciousness is your hearing. That’s exactly what happened to Adie, she could hear others around her, talking about her but she just couldn’t quite muster up the energy to open her eyes, to let her colleagues know she was now conscious, her throbbing head making her just want to drift back to sleep. She planned on doing that, but she quickly realised that nobody apart from Chelle knew about her pregnancy and Chelle was at home sleeping before her nightshift would begin.

She attempted to open her eyes but they just remained so heavy, her painful head also not making matters any easier. She obviously moaned slightly from the pain and frustration because the next thing she heard was someone calling her name softly as she felt a hand snake into hers and give it a squeeze.

“Adie? Can you open your eyes for me?”

She took a deep breath in and tried again and this time was successful but the light above her head was so bright so closed them again quickly.

“Too bright,” she mumbled.

“Kill the lights Jess,” she heard someone say and when she opened her eyes again the decrease in light meant she could keep them open. “Well hi,” Mike said to her with a smile.

“Hi,” she mumbled as she tried to sit, she soon realised that it was going to be a difficult task what with the neck collar in place.

“You need to keep still,” Mike told her.

“Is this really necessary?” She whined reaching up to try and take the collar off but the male nurse was quicker, restraining her from doing so.

“Yes, until you’ve been x-rayed to rule out any neck injury it stays on,” he told her firmly.

“It’s gona have to stay on for a while then,” she mumbled sarcastically, making him frown at her in confusion. She sighed to herself as she closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose before she just blurted out, “I’m pregnant.”

“Well you kept that quiet, congratulations,” Mike smiled before it dawned on him that firstly it was probably Nick’s baby, a fact that Adie would be finding difficult to cope with considering they had just parted company, and more worryingly secondly, any abdominal trauma Adie had suffered could have put the whole pregnancy at risk. “Do you have any cramping?” he asked. He could see the tears in her eyes as she slowly nodded her head in affirmation. “It’s okay, I’ll call OBGYN and we’ll get a sonogram right away.”

“Nobody knows Mike, I’d kind of like to keep it that way if I can,” she told him.

“No problem sweetie.”

She watched as he disappeared out of her eye line and after a few seconds she heard the door open and then shut as he walked through it and it was there, all alone, where she began to cry. How had her life come to this? This time a year ago she had been happy, this time a year ago she had been with an amazing man whom she loved with all her heart and now? Here she was on a cold gurney, in a generic hospital room, waiting to find out whether her own stupidity had caused her to loose her unborn child and yet all she could think about was the kiss she had just shared with it’s Father.

A small simple peck, not passionate, not lust fuelled, but perfect none the less and it had shown her how much she did still love him. Her leaving had never been about a lack of love though because she knew she still loved him, she knew that it would take forever and day for her to stop loving him, she had left because he did not trust her. That fact was still present, she didn’t know how he could ever prove to her that he did trust her enough, that he was committed enough to her.

Then again she supposed it didn’t really matter much because once he found out about this pregnancy he would flee, this after all had not been what he had wanted and she didn’t expect him to stick around.

That was if she was even still pregnant.

How could she have been so stupid? Why hadn’t she paid more attention to what was going on around her? This could have all been avoided, if only she had gotten that job she had gone for earlier in the year, then she would not have been lying where she currently was. That thought alone made her think back to all the fights over her choice of work environment she had had with Nick and now she realised why he had gotten so uptight about it, he had been worried about seeing her get really hurt. Well it had happened now and all she could do was pray that the ramifications were not too harsh.

***

It had hit him like a tonne of bricks on the way home from the hospital, like a flash bulb had suddenly lit up and he could finally see clearly. The one way to make her understand, to start opening that door to her in a easy way, a way in which he wouldn’t have to talk right away, was to give her his diary’s. It was in there that he had pretty much divulged into everything, documented in those books were his frustrations about his life, his fears, his hopes, his love for her and he was sure that it would at least make her realise that he was just scared of being hurt and used again, that it wasn’t about her, it was all about him.

His cell phone ringing pulled him from his thoughts and he quickly answered as he slowed to a stop at a red light.

“Hello?”

“Hi is that Nick?” He heard a familiar sounding voice ask.

“Speaking,” he replied.

“Hi it’s Marissa, I work with Adie…” she hesitated for a minute, “Er,…you’re on her contact sheet as next of kin…there’s been a bit of an incident, she’s absolutely fine,” she quickly corrected.

“What happened?” he asked concerned as he started to signal left so he could be able to turn once the lights changed.

“She hit her head and knocked herself out, obviously we’re going to send her home but we don’t want to send her home alone.”

“I’m on my way,” he told her as he hung up, and quickly turned the car around, speeding back to the hospital, knowing that this moment had been inevitable, god how many times had he warned her?

***

Twenty minutes after Adie had first regained consciousness and the neck brace had been removed after a thourough clinical examination, and the first thing she had done was make her way to bathroom. Her mind had been slightly put at ease when there had been no signs of bleeding, maybe the stomach pain was just going to end up being bruising, that was what she was hoping anyway. All she needed now was the sonogram to confirm her hopes and so she patiently waited for her OBGYN to turn up.

Dr Macmillan arrived promptly with a warm smile to greet her anxious patient and Adie was slightly put at ease by her kind demeanour as she wheeled in the sonogram.

“Hi Adie, how are you feeling?” She asked as she switched on the machine before squirting the cool gel on her midriff.

“Okay, I just need to see she’s okay.”

“Of course you do but you’ve had no spotting which is good, has the cramping eased?” She asked as she slowly moved the wand over her stomach.

“Yeah, I think it might just be bruising,” she said as she eagerly trained her eyes to the screen in front of her, trying to make out the image of her child, her stomach feeling uneasy when she didn’t hear a heartbeat right away.

“That’s possible,” the Doctor replied but she was suddenly drowned out by the strong and steady whooshing coming from the machine and Adie let go of the breath she had been holding, a small smile spreading across her previously concerned face when she could make out the small image on the screen. “There we go, a nice strong heartbeat, no signs of placental abruption, things look good.”

“Thank god,” Adie sighed in relief.

“Now I’m going to suggest that you stay off work for the rest of the week, no strenuous activity, any signs of bleeding abdominal discomfort or if you just don’t feel happy then come straight back okay? I’d also suggest that you avoid trauma’s or any situations that are going to put you at further risk when you’re at work,” Dr Macmillan advised but Adie had totally zoned out when the door opened, the colour completely draining from her face, the feelings of complete panic and uneasiness returning full force when she caught sight of who was standing in the doorway.

She would never forget the look of complete shock on his face, as he looked to her then to the monitor which held their child’s image before he slowly he looked back to her with questioning eyes, the only sound audible being the strong heartbeat of their daughter currently resting inside her.

End Notes:
Please let me know what you think!
Sick as my secrets by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

The truth finally comes out about Adie's pregnancy

Nick's hand was gripped so tightly on the handle of the door that his knuckles were turning white and he so badly wanted to move into the room and question her about what the hell was going on but his feet just wouldn’t seem to move, just like his mouth refused to work. The scene in front of him couldn’t be real because if it was that meant that she was pregnant, but the sound of the strong recurrent whooshing coming from the machine was confirmation enough, the look on her face was just the bonus.

She was completely ashen as she looked at him with wide eyes before turning her head away, her eyes closing as she took in a deep breath. She quickly tried to cover up her stomach, plunging the room into an awkward silence when the sound of the heartbeat abruptly stopped. The Doctor looked questioningly to her patient and then at Nick before slowly turning back to Adie, how was now fiddling with the hem of her scrub top, avoiding all eye contact with Nick. Yes this was all totally real and he had caught her red handed.

The doctor was first to break to stifling silence by addressing Adie, “Just take it easy for the rest of the week ok? And I’ll see you in two weeks for your next check up.” She then proceeded to turn the machine off and make her way passed Nick with an uncomfortable smile, he stepped further into the room and let the door close behind him but remained silent. What the hell was he supposed to say? Asking her at that point just seemed stupid, of course she was pregnant, that much was obvious and anyway he wasn’t the one who had been caught keeping secrets. She had been, so surely she should be the one to talk first, to explain what the hell was going on but it was at the moment Nick had a shocking thought, What if it’s not mine? If that was the case it would explain why she had left in the manner she did, why she was so adamant about not getting back together with him. Now all he had to do was ask.

“Is…” he hesitated, he knew the question would either crush his world or they would end up arguing with each other but he just had to know and so with a deep breath he tried again, “Is…is it mine?

As soon as her head snapped towards him, her eyes dark, her glare and whole body language seem to make him freeze to where he was, he knew it was going to end in an argument.

She shook her head at him and with a scoff asked him, “How dare you ask me that? Of course it’s yours.”

“Well what the hell am I supposed to think?!” he exclaimed, “Three weeks ago you left me with no explanation and now you're pregnant.”

“At least now you can’t accuse me of trying to trap you,” she shot back as she threw her legs over the side of the gurney before she slipped her feet into her crocs.

He let her words sink in as he leant back against the wall and watched as she gathered up her things, she was so pissed off now, she only ever threw things around, slammed things and huffed when she was angry and could he really blame her? He had just accused her of sleeping around behind his back and ending up pregnant, he knew she wasn’t like that, that was who he had been, he was the cheater, he was the commitment phobic, not her.

“I’m sorry,” He apologised when she threw her bag over her shoulder.

“Why are you even here?” She asked.

“I’m still on your contact sheet.”

“Well just go because I don’t want you here, I don’t want you anywhere near me,” she told him but he knew she didn’t mean it due to the fact that she couldn’t look at him when she told him and also in the tone of her voice, it sounded like she was going to break into sobs.

“You hit your head, you can’t go alone,” he told raising an eyebrow in cockiness as he remembered what she had told him in this very room not two weeks ago. She shook her head at him again before trying to walk past him but Nick was quicker and lightly grabbed her arm so she couldn’t leave.

“Let go of me,” she warned looking to him for the first time since he had accused her of being unfaithful and all he wanted to do was reach down and brush the tears away, to wrap her in his arms and never let her go but he knew right now it wouldn’t be appreciated and would end up pushing her further away.

“No. You’re not going home by yourself so you have to two choices you can come home with me or I can call your sister. I’m sure she would be very interested in what’s been going on,” he said letting go of her arm and crossing his over his chest.

She met his eyes for a few seconds and he could tell she was thinking about calling what she thought was a bluff but obviously decided against it, “Fine,” she relented as she walked through the doors and out to the parking lot.

The car ride home was in complete silence with Adie just pretending to ignore the fact that Nick was sat beside her but he kept catching her glancing sideways at him, averting her eyes when he looked over to her. He wanted to say something, to break the icy tension that had wrapped itself around them but he found that he just couldn’t find anything to say, his eyes occasionally drifting to her abdomen, the only thought swirling in his head was that she was pregnant. Right in there was a baby but not only a baby, it was their baby, HIS baby, a tiny human being who he was responsible for, a human being who he had created.

The thought alone should have scared the crap out of him, should have made him flee as soon as he opened the door and spied what was happening, should have sent his world into utter turmoil but instead here he was driving Adie home, the scariest part of all of this was that he actually felt calm, that he didn’t want to run. It was totally unexpected because he had always thought that any women delivering this news to him would have been catastrophic, he had never thought he would be in a place in his life where this news would not want to make him run for the hills but yet here he was.

“I think I’m going to be sick,” she said suddenly disturbing him from his thoughts.

“You want me to pull over?” He asked already signalling when she began to nod her head and as soon as the car stopped she swung the door open and leant out so she could let the contents of her stomach escape. He unbuckled his seat belt and leant over rubbing her back to try and soothe the heaves and after a few moments she sat back in her seat. “You want to go back to the hospital?” he asked when she shut the door.

“It’s just morning sickness,” she said with her eyes closed as she tried to strive off another attack.

“Are you sure? I mean you did hit your head couldn’t it be concussion?”

“I’m fine,” she reiterated sounding pissed off.

“Alright,” Nick conceded as he pulled away and once again they were submerged into the ice cold tension, neither knowing what to say to the other, neither understanding how it had come to this.

“No, uh uh, I’m not staying here,” she told him when she realised where he had taken her as he pulled the car into the circular drive of their home, well his home now. How had she not realised he had been driving towards the house? It was completely in the opposite direction of Chelle’s and yet she hadn’t noticed, she had been to transfixed on him, about his whole reaction to the news to even realise.

“Well where else are we going to go?” he asked as he shut off the engine and took the keys out of the ignition.

“Take me to Chelle’s,” she told him crossing her arms over her chest.

“Chelle’s working tonight and you can’t be on your own.”

“You can crash on the couch or in Chelle’s bed if you insist on staying but I already told you I don’t need a babysitter I’m fine,” she replied harshly.

“And I already told you I can call Rachel if you want,” he retaliated.

“Why are you doing this?” She softly asked as a few tears fell from her eyes but she recoiled when he reached out to wipe them away, hating the hurt look that spread across his face when she did.

He sighed as he pulled his hand back, “Because we need to talk, because this just isn’t about you and me anymore. Now we can stay out here in the car or we can go inside where it’s comfier.”

She wiped at her eyes and looked to the house in front of her before she unbuckled her belt and opened the door climbing out of the car. He waited until she slammed the door shut before he made his move to get out and by that time she was already waiting at the front door. He opened it and signalled for her to go on in but she only made a few small steps and then hesitated in the hallway.

“You want a drink or something to eat?” He asked and she shook her head no as she followed him into the living room and he knew she purposely sat on the opposite couch to him. He watched her for a few seconds, she was looking around the living room, her hands in her lap picking at her nails, avoiding all eye contact with him and he realised she was totally uncomfortable around him. She was almost acting like a small child who had been caught doing something naughty and was now going to have to suffer the consequences and in a way she was. She had left him without a decent explanation, had kept this pregnancy from him and he had found out about it and not by her, so she had some major explaining to do. He had every right to be completely pissed off with her, to rant at her, to never trust her again and yet all he wanted to do was wrap his arms around her and tell her it was all going to be okay.

“I…” she started but stopped suddenly.

“You what?” he asked softly leaning his elbows on his knees as he leant forward slightly.

“I didn’t mean for you to find out like you did.”

“I know you didn’t. How long have you known?” He asked.

“About two and half weeks,” she mumbled her eyes now focused on her own hands in her lap.

“So you didn’t know when you left?” he asked and she shook her head no, “If you…would you…would you have left if you had known?” He asked.

“Nick,” she sighed.

“Just answer me.”

“It’s not about that,” she tried.

“Would you have left me if you knew you were pregnant?” he asked again ignoring her last comment and the moment she looked at him he knew her answer.

“Yes I think I would have,” she admitted.

“Why?” He asked slightly choked at her confession.

“Because you don’t want this. You told me enough times and don’t try and lie to me or to yourself by trying to tell me that you are okay with this now because I know you’re not,” She told him truthfully.

“Well I’m here aren’t I? I could have easily left you in the ER today, walked away and I haven’t. So what does that say about me? He tried, getting up from where he was sitting and walking around the coffee table to sit in front of her on it.

“It doesn’t say anything Nick, it doesn’t change anything, you know, we both want different things. I want to be happy and I haven’t been for long time,” she admitted.

“Are you happy now?” He asked, “Because I don’t think you are.”

She ran her hand through her hair and looked away from him, choosing to remain quiet for a few moments before she answered, “I never expected…maybe things haven’t turned out how I would like but I…I’m going to be a Mom and I’m excited about that.”

“We could be family Adie, I know that’s what you want. In like what Seven months? We could have worked through all this, we could have put this all behind us and we could be a proper family,” he told her softly taking her hand in his, lightly brushing his thumb across her knuckles.

“Five months,” she corrected.

“What?” He asked slightly shocked.

“She’s due in November,” she told him as she looked directly into his eyes. She wasn’t expecting the reaction she saw in them though and instead of them frowning in realisation they actually grew wide and sparkled.

“It’s a girl?” he asked a small smile spreading across his face.

“Please don’t do this Nick,” She begged.

“Don’t do what?” he asked.

“Act like your okay with this now, make me think that I’ve made a mistake,” she told him pulling her hand out of his as she wiped at her tears.

“Do you think that you’ve made a mistake?” he asked hopefully.

“I don’t…no. No I haven’t because…the reality hasn’t sunk in for you yet, when it does…when you realise what this all means you’ll close off just like you always do.”

“So I can’t change? In your eyes I am always going to be like this, you can’t give me the benefit of the doubt that I can change?” he asked starting to get slightly angry.

“We’ve been together for three years and you still haven’t let me in, why now would you suddenly change?” She asked watching when he stood from the table and moved away from her.

“I don’t know? Maybe because I have finally grown up and realised I need to let people in, maybe because being closed off has finally cost me something I didn’t think I could loose? I love you and I want to be with you and I…I was scared Adie,” he admitted.

“About what?” She asked.

“Of losing you.”

“But you have lost me, you didn’t trust me enough and now you have lost me Nick,” she told him firmly.

“You say it's about me not trusting you but what have you done lately to deserve that trust Adie? How did you think that you leaving would gain that trust? Instead of sticking by me, of trying to help me get over stuff by coming to therapy like you said you would you left. You left me a fucking note to come home to,” he said pointing in the direction of the kitchen, he almost yelled. “Do you know how much that hurt? Do you know what it felt like?”

“Well do you know what it feels like to have someone who is supposed to love you shut you out?” She yelled back, “Do you know how frustrating it is when all you want to do it help but you can’t? To love someone so much and them not feel the same way about you?”

“I do love you,” he told her.

“No you love the idea of me, of us and of us being a family once this baby is born.”

“You know this is exactly what you didn’t want, I’m giving you a chance to have your dream of being a happy family.”

“How the hell are we going to be a happy family Nick?” She asked with a laugh. “You see this as a way of us getting back together but eventually you’ll end up resenting all this and it will all end up being my fault because you felt pressured into being okay with this because of the baby.”

“It’s always about me isn’t it? It’s always about me being to closed minded, not trusting, reluctant to do anything, reluctant to share things with you, when you haven’t really been that truthful have you?” he threw back at her.

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?

“Well you kept all this from me, you say that you only found out a few weeks ago but you’re four months pregnant Adie, that’s what at least three missed periods? I saw you at least twice after you supposedly found out and you didn’t tell me, if I hadn’t of walked in on you today how long would it have been till you told me? When you went into labour? After it was born? On her eighteenth fucking birthday?! He screamed.

“I was going to tell you!” She exclaimed, “Yeah I suspected for a while before but I haven’t exactly been myself for a while I know you haven’t noticed because you’ve been to preoccupied with yourself but I was hurting Nick and you were acting like everything was okay when it hasn’t been for a long time.”

“Everybody has problems, lots of people hit this point in relationships where you want different things and some people actually make it through to the other side Adie, we can work through this,” He tried again.

“Like your parents did Nick?” She chastised, “This baby hasn’t even been born yet and we’re already arguing and I’m sorry but if your parents problems were the catalyst for you shutting everyone out then…I won’t allow that to happen to our child.”

“You know nothing about that,” he told her his tone low.

“I wonder why,” she sarcastically added.

“You are such a fucking hypocrite Adrianna.”

The use of her full name caught her attention partly due to his dangerous tone of voice but mainly because she couldn’t actually remember a time he had ever called her by it. That name was reserved for her Grandparents, for when her Mother was angry with her, in formal settings, never ever from him and she knew that calling him on his familial problems had struck a nerve.

“I’m a hypocrite?” She asked.

“You say you want me to change, that you want me to open up to you, that you wanted a family with me but I think you are the one who is in love with the whole idea of that.” She tried to protest but he carried on, “I asked you to come to therapy with me, I didn’t bolt when I found out about this baby and I’m here now telling you I’m okay with this whole situation, that I still trust you even after you kept this from me, even after you left me in a note. I’m offering you exactly what you say you want, I’m willing to change and take a chance, and yeah maybe I should have done this a long time ago, but here it all is, all laid out in front of you and you’re turning it all down and I think I know why.”

“Why then? Why am I doing it?” She asked with a shrug as she herself stood.

“Because you’re scared to fail. Right now you can blame this whole thing on me and my lack of commitment, and my lack of trust, Nick’s issues caused us to fail but if I change, if I work on my issues and we still fail? Then it becomes about you too. Then your perfect, happy idealistic life which you strive to have will be ripped away from you but this way conceding to failure before you’ve actually tired, it just makes it that bit easier. That way you haven’t lost something that you loved because you never got to live that life. So what does that say about you?”

Throughout his whole tirade Adie had shrunk into herself, crossing her arms against her chest, looking down to her feet in an effort to try and make him think that he was bang on the mark, in an effort to make him think that his words hadn’t got to her even though they had. Everything he had said was right, she was scared to fail, she was scared to be made to look like a fool, she knew she had an idealistic view of what life should be like but it still didn’t stop her wanting it. Over the past few years though she had grown slightly more cynical, her line of work making her realise how cruel life could really be, the house with the white picket fence and the whole two point four children now was no longer the norm, she knew that now. She had realised that not long after Mark had cheated but with Nick, well she had thought she had found her white knight, that had all changed though. So why try when it was all doomed to failure anyway? Why let failure have a chance? At least this way she couldn’t have everything ripped away from her.

“You got nothing to say to that?” He asked cockily.

“You’re wrong,” she tried to tell him but she knew he wouldn’t buy it.

“I don’t think I am. I know you still love me Adie because I can see it in the way you look at me and I could feel it when you kissed me back earlier and I still love you and I’m always going to love you and I’m sorry if I haven’t been the best at showing it, but I am here right now telling you. I can’t make you come back to me, I can’t make you carry on loving me, I can’t be the only one to make changes in my life and I can’t and I won’t make myself stop loving you but I will tell you this. No matter how much you hate the fact and no matter how much you don’t want me in your life I am still your baby’s Father and I am going to be there for her.”

End Notes:
As always reviews are not mandatory but willing accepted!
Easier to Run by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Adie tells her family and gets a mixed reaction about the news

Nick stood in the doorway, leaning against the frame as he stared at the rumbled, empty bed. He knew she wouldn’t stay, he knew that she would flee at the very first opportunity and he also knew there was nothing he could have done to stop her, he couldn’t exactly hold her against her will. He stared at the empty, cold bed for a few moments longer, knowing that by noon the pain in his head would have ebbed in even further. If only he could sleep some more then maybe things would all seem a bit clearer, would seem simpler but he knew no matter how hard he tried the sleep would just not come. Insomnia was a bitch.

He rubbed at one of his eyes before he walked in to the room and made the bed, moaning inwardly when Layla jumped up onto it, creasing it all up again. “Layla off,” he told her with an impatient click of his fingers but the mutt glanced at him before making herself more comfy. He sighed in frustration as he grabbed for her collar, but she resisted, whining and looking at him with sad eyes and so he stopped pulling at her, instead choosing to sit beside her, rubbing her head slowly.

“Miss her too huh?” He asked as he fell back against the comfy guest bed, the bed that still smelled like her when he took a deep breath in. He absent mindedly stroked Layla as he thought back to the previous night, to their heated conversation after her secret had been spilled, to the awkward silence that had ensued after he told her he was going to be a part of his daughter’s life.

His daughter, that sentence still seemed weird but it didn’t freak him out as much as he thought it would, he had five months to make Adie see, five months to prove to her that he wouldn’t bolt, that surprisingly, he was ready for this commitment. He understood why she was so reluctant to believe him when he had kept telling her that he was okay with the pregnancy, that he wanted to be there, she remained sceptical right up until she went to bed last night, kept telling him that when the news finally sunk in, when he realised what it meant, he might change his mind. If he was honest with himself he knew that it was a possibility, he knew that as the time drew nearer to her delivery date he would probably be scared shitless but he had a huge responsibility now. In the past he had always shied away from them, distanced himself from his siblings so he didn’t have to get involved in the messy divorce battle his parents fought but when he looked back he regretted that. He should have been there for them, he was their big brother, he should have been the one to stand up to his parents and make them see what were doing, should have protected them. He cut all ties though, let them fend for themselves and had been the worst role model ever, going out and getting wasted, hooking up with random women to try and numb some of the pain he had been going through, no wonder his family had been such a mess.

Things had begun to change though, a change he realised he needed to make when he had met the ballsy ER nurse after breaking Kevin’s nose. It hadn’t been an immediate realisation, but once he had met with her family, saw how they interacted with one another, saw how close her and Rachel had been he knew he needed to work on that connection with is siblings and so that was where House of Carters had come from. Although it hadn’t been the best idea to broadcast it to millions of people, it had been the start of one healing process, and although his relationship with them was well on the way to being completely mended he knew there were other avenues in his life that needed attention. In order to do that though he needed to finally put some more of his demons to rest and in order to do that he needed to talk about them something that was going to be incredibly difficult but he knew it needed to be done. It needed to be done because he didn’t want to look back in twenty years and regret that he did not try to straighten things out with Adie, he didn’t want to have to explain to his Daughter why she had been bought up shuffled between two homes.

He pushed himself up from the bed and made his way towards his own room, he needed to see her again, they needed to talk more and so he picked up the house phone, even dialled most of her cell phone numbers but at the last minute he placed the phone back down. She would see that it was him, would more then likely think he was only calling to yell at her for the sneaky departure and he knew she sure as hell wouldn’t answer. Instead he picked up his cell phone and decided to text her.

“Just wanted 2 no that u got hme safe n r ok,” He read allowed as he typed, hitting the send button before he placed the cell phone back on the night stand and then he walked into the bathroom his head turning back into the direction of his room when he heard a familiar ring tone. He took his hand away from the tap of the shower before he got to turn it on and strode quickly into his room, his heart beating furiously because he knew the only person programmed under Sir Mixalot’s “I like big butts” was her. When he looked at the screen of his sidekick her picture was flashing, he grabbed for it quickly and pressed the accept button.

“Hello?” He answered.

“It’s me,” she almost whispered.

“You left,” he stated softly.

“Yeah…Chelle picked me up after her night shift,” She told him.

“I would have dropped you home,” he offered as he perched on the edge of his un made bed.

“She was heading home anyway.”

“She had to go in the complete opposite direction.”

“It’s done Nick, I’m home and I’m fine,” she told him firmly.

“Ok you could have woken me or left a note though,” he told her.

She chuckled sarcastically down the phone to him before saying, “You didn’t seem to care too much for the last note I left you.”

“Don’t,” he warned, his voice softening.

“Don’t what?“ She asked.

“Don’t try and make this into an argument Adie,” he told her hearing her sigh deeply on the other end of the phone. “We still need to talk and I mean talk not argue, not shout, not blame each other for what’s happened. We need to talk and work something out.”

“I know. I know we do, I uh I have the rest of the week off work maybe we could meet up,” she offered.

“Well what about today?” he asked.

“I can’t not today. I need…I’m going to dinner,” she hesitated, “I’m going to tell my parents.”

“Okay, are you going to tell…do you want me to tell Rachel and Alex?” he asked.

“They’re going to be there too so I might as well just get it over with,” she told him and he could hear the reluctance in her voice to do so.

“What do you mean get it over with?” he questioned.

“It’s not exactly going to go over well is it? Not with Rachel anyway.”

He hesitated for a moment before saying, “It doesn’t have to be this way you know.”

“Yes it does,” she quickly replied.

“Adie-” He tried but she only cut him off quickly, making her excuses of having to leave soon and still needing to get ready.

“So when are we going to discuss this?” He asked.

“Are you free tomorrow?” She asked.

“Yeah. Are you going to come here?” he asked.

“No,” she answered quickly. “I can’t.

“Do you want to meet up somewhere for lunch?” He offered.

“And be overheard and have this spread like wild fire?” She replied sceptically.

“Then what do you want?” He asked sharply, apologising quickly when he realised how harsh his tone had been.

“I don’t know,” she answered and he knew she didn’t just mean she was confused about meeting up, that at least gave him some hope.

“What about Hamilton Creek?” He suggested, “We could walk Layla, talk, it’s secluded and it’s a week day so there won’t be a lot of people.”

“Yeah, yeah that sounds good. I‘ll meet you about eleven thirty?”

“Sure.”

“Okay I’ll uh I’ll see you tomorrow, bye,” she said.

“Adie?” He asked quickly hoping that she hadn’t hung up.

“Yeah?”

“I love you,” he told her softly knowing that he wouldn’t hear it back.

“I’ll see you tomorrow Nick.” With that he heard the familiar click of her hanging up and then the dial tone.

***

Adie had expected everyone’s reactions to her news and she hadn’t been wrong in what she had thought. Her parents had of course been shocked but after a few moments to process the news she had been wrapped in a big hug from her Mother, who of course ended up in tears at the news she was now going to have two grandbabies by the end of the year. Her Father had also been delighted to know that he would be receiving another grandchild and had told her that a delivery on his birth date would be the best present he could wish for.

Rachel hadn’t failed to disappoint either, and Adie had wished she could have taped her reaction because she couldn’t remember a time when Rachel had actually been that quiet, that open mouthed and that shocked for as long as she was. She had certainly found her voice though and Adie replayed the heated argument in her head as swung back and forth on the porch swing that hung from her parents back porch.

“Does Nick know?” Rachel had asked when Adie’s Father had finally sat down after wrapping his daughter in a hug.

“Yes,” Adie replied nodding in affirmation.

“So I take it that as he isn’t here you’re not getting back together?” She asked crossing her arms over her chest, resting them down on her own rounded belly.

“Rach-” Alex tried.

“What?” She asked turning her head to him, “It’s an appropriate question to ask, I mean he is the Father isn’t he?” She asked turning back to her sister.

“Yeah he is and no we aren’t getting back together.”

Their Mother, obviously feeling Adie’s unease about talking about Nick tried unsuccessfully to change the subject, “I think if we plan it right we could throw a double baby shower, I mean Rachel’s would be slightly later then usual and your’s would be slightly early but I think we cou-”

“- was that his choice or yours?” Rachel asked her eyes narrowing as she glared at her sister.

“Rachel-” Alex tried to intervene again but like before she carried on, ignoring her husband.

“Well?” She asked staring at Adie.

“Mine. It was my choice Rachel and I would rather not get into this now and ruin dinner,” Adie told her sternly before turning to her Mom with a smile. “Do you want to know whether it’s a girl or a boy?”

“You know?” She asked excitedly making Adie nod, but before she could tell her Mom she was going to have a granddaughter she heard Rachel mutter something with a shake of her head.

“What?” Adie asked looking to her sister. She knew full well what had been said but just wanted her sister to repeat it, just to give her a reason to start the fight her sister so obviously wanted.

“I called you fucking selfish,” she said loudly her eyes darkening making Alex sigh as he reclined back in his chair, as if he was mentally bracing himself for the argument that was about to ensue.

“You have no idea what is going on Rachel,” Adie told her.

“I’m pretty sure I do.”

“You have one side of a story. Have you once come to me to talk about why I decided to leave? Have you once listened to me? Have you once called to ask me if I’m okay about my relationship being over? Have you?” She asked, “No you haven’t instead you’ve taken his side.”

“I haven’t taken sides,” Rachel tried but it just made Adie shake her head with sarcastic laughter escaping her lips.

“You’re kidding right? It’s all been about Nick, poor Nick coming home to note, coming home to an empty house, Nick’s my best friend now and I don’t like seeing my best friends get hurt. Well you know what I’m your sister and not once have you asked me how I am, not once have you even thought about how hard this has been on me,” Adie told her sister, her voice raising a few octaves as her vision began to blur with tears which she prayed would not fall.

“Hard on you? You’re the one who decided to leave!” Rachel bit back.

“Girls,” Their Mother tried to interject but neither listened, their tirade against each other carrying on.

“Because I haven’t been happy, because he’s been the selfish one but you are to narrow minded to see that, and maybe that’s my fault because I haven’t really spoken to you about what’s been going on with us behind closed doors. Do you know how difficult it was for me to build up the courage to leave? How hard it was for me to face the reality that I am going to be on my own ?” Adie asked, damning herself when a stray tear fell but obviously her reasoning wasn’t enough for Rachel.

“It was your choice Adrianna,” She said coldly.

As she thought back to the fight she felt another stray tear escape. She was always going to be the bad guy, she was always going to be the heart breaker, the evil bitch who left him without a word and yet again he would be the victim in all this. She didn’t think that was very fair because it had taken two of them to screw up this relationship but certain people didn’t see it like that. She heard the back door open and quickly wiped away the tear, trying to collect herself as Alex sat down beside her. He didn’t look at her, didn’t say anything, all he did was wrap his arm around her shoulders and pull her towards him, rubbing at her shoulder gently when she began to cry.

“I’m sorry,” she sniffed.

“Don’t be, she was out of line in there I just told her so and I think you folks are re iterating that now,” he told her.

“God,” she sighed. “I don’t want you two fighting over this, I knew this would happen, I knew…it’s too difficult to not take sides and I’m the bad guy here os of course you are all going to side with Nick.”

“I’m not taking sides Adie, believe me I’m not going to do that. I mean I don’t agree with how you left him but I know you had your reasons and believe me I know Nick is no angel. I just don’t like seeing either of you like this.”

The porch door swung open again and Rachel stood in the gap as she looked at Alex, tossing his jacket to him before saying, “We’re leaving.”

“I’m talking,” He told her.

“We’re leaving,” she told him again.

“No I’m talking to your sister and we haven’t finished yet,” He told her starting to becoming agitated.

“It’s fine Alex,” Adie tried but he turned to her quickly.

“No it’s not, I’m not ready to leave yet,” he said turning back to Rachel who was now almost beet root red with rage, her eyes dangerously dark and small.

“Make your own way home then, I’m taking the car,” She said as she turned quickly leaving the door to slam shut.

“Four more weeks Alex, four more weeks,” He calmly told himself.

“What?” Adie asked slightly confused.

“She is getting the benefit of the doubt at the moment and can use the excuse of hormones and being tired and uncomfy but god help me and the world if this is what motherhood is going to do with her.”

“I don’t want this to come between you two,” Adie told him again.

“Sweetie it won’t, she’s just tired. So due in November huh? Makes you four months along?” He asked as he worked it out in his head.

“Seventeen weeks,” she nodded with a smile.

“How long have you known?” He asked.

“About two and half weeks.”

“How long has Nick known?” He asked her.

“About twenty eight hours.”

“How did he take it?” He asked.

“He didn’t bolt but I think he was kind of shocked,” she said as she played with the hem of her top.

“I think we all were,” he admitted with a deep chuckle.

“He says he is going to be there you know, that he is going to be involved whether I like it or not, he wants to be a Father to her.”

“Her? I’m getting a niece?” he asked with a big smile.

“Yeah. I never…I didn’t think he would react this way, I thought he would run, be in total denial,” she said softly staring out in front of her at the green garden before her.

“Nick’s always had a way with surprising people like that. Now that he has, does that change anything?” He probed softly.

“I don’t think so,” she admitted with a shake of her head as she quickly wiped at her eyes again.

“Why not?”

"Because when she’s here, when he finally realises that this is real and what implications having a baby has…he might change his mind and run then…I can’t take that risk,” she said whispering the last part.

“If you never took a risk Adie life would be really boring.”

“It’s not just me to think about anymore though is it?” She asked.

“No you’re right you have your baby to think about, but just answer me one question okay? If you could be certain that he would wouldn’t bolt, that he could change would you back to him?”

She didn’t even have to think about her answer and before she knew it a soft and barely audible “Yes” had escaped her lips.

 

End Notes:
Let me know what you think!
If you only knew... by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

A meeting in the park doesn't go as well as Nick hoped

The day was warm and bright, not a single cloud could be seen, the ground below his feet already warm. For a weekday the large area of trees and dirt trails was a bit busier then what he had expected but it was mainly people from a certain generation, a generation, he hoped, full of people who would not recognise him. He was pulled forward slightly by Layla when she spotted another Dog in the distance, her barks drawing it’s attention as it began to bark back.

“Layla-” He warned as he tugged on her leash, “Sit.” The sandy coloured dog did as she was commanded but continued to bark occasionally at passing dogs, cars and people on push bikes. Nick glanced down at his watch for what seemed like the millionth time since he had arrived. It was eleven forty, she was ten minutes late, Adie was never usually late for anything, he scanned the parking lot again, sighing when he did not spy her or her car anywhere. She had stood him up. He angrily fished in his shorts pocket for his cell phone, hitting the speed dial that held her number and quickly placed it up to his ear. It rang for all of two seconds before she answered.

“I’m late I know. I’m about two minutes away,” She told him.

“Okay. I’ll see you in a bit, I’m by the first trail,” he told her.

“Alright, bye.”

“Bye,” he echoed as he removed the phone from his ear, clicking the end call button before placing it back in his pocket and sure enough when he looked to the entrance of the parking lot again he saw her pull up. The roof of the red convertible VW beetle was down and when she pulled to a stop he could see her frantically try and sort her wind swept hair out in the rear view mirror. He watched as she opened the door, reached for her purse and then proceeded to loop it around her neck and left shoulder, letting it hang loosely on one hip before she slammed the door shut. She looked around momentarily before she obviously spotted him and walked in that direction and he had to keep a tight hold on Layla’s leash as she wagged her tail and whined in excitement of seeing the familiar face.

“Hi,” she said as she reached him but before he could reply she had bent down and was petting the dog. “Hello to you to,” she greeted in her best baby talk voice as she showed the excited dog some attention.

“Aren’t you hot in those?” Nick asked when she stood and brushed the dirt of the knees of her black sweat pants.

She sighed at his comment, it had been half the reason she was late. She had woken up this morning and she had just felt like her stomach had completely expanded, sure it had started to harden, yes she should have expected it but it was almost as if telling Nick and her family had caused this ballooning to happen. Then again maybe it was because she had practically lived in scrubs and sweats since she found out, the items of clothing loose, comfy let her wallow in her own self denial. None of her shorts would do up, she knew she wouldn’t feel comfy in a skirt if they were going to walk the dog, and her jeans had just been too uncomfortable when she had tried to squeeze herself into a pair. That had only left her with one option, her sweats and while the were comfy around her suddenly expanding waist line, they did nothing to hide the small protruding roundness. That hadn’t been the only thing she had noted a change in, her breasts seemed far fuller and god did the ache when she had woken up this morning. She had thought the would have been the first thing that he would have noticed but when she looked up to him after she finished wiping the dried earth from her sweats she realised she had caught him staring at her stomach.

“Nothing else fits,” she said softly, making him shift his gaze to her eyes a small smirk apparent on his face. “Don’t,” she warned.

“Don’t what?” he asked confused.

“Laugh at me.”

“I wasn’t, I…you’re pregnant it’s supposed to happen,” he told her.

“I know. Can we go towards the creek? I don’t think I wore the right shoes for the woods,” she asked as they both glanced down to her flip flop clad feet.

He chuckled as he looked back up at her, squinting in the midday sun before he said, “Sure.”

They walked in silence for a few minutes both unsure about what needed to be said, how to approach a situation as complicated as the one they were in and Adie had never felt so distanced from a person even though she was stood right next to him, only inches apart. She could feel the tears start to well up from behind her eyes and foolishly blamed it on the hormones racing through her ever changing body, totally ignoring the real reasons for her emotions as she fished into her bag for the sun glasses she knew were in there. It was when she went to put the case away she realised there was also another pair in there. A pair of Nick’s because he always forgot to take them and it would drive her insane with the amount of complaining and squinting he would do. She had totally forgotten that they were in there until now and so she pulled them out and handed them to him, knowing that he would want them.

He laughed slightly when he took them from her, “Guess some things never change huh?”

It was just a pair of sunglasses, a small insignificant item that you could live without if you really had to, but it got her thinking. How many small insignificant items did a baby need? What would happen if he forgot diapers? Formula? To check the temperature of the bath water? How would he cope with looking after a newborn or a toddler by himself? Because that was their reality. There would be no team work here, there would be no sharing late night feeds, diaper changes, it was going to be all then nothing. One of them was going to have the baby while the other didn’t, they wouldn’t be there to support each other and she knew for at least the first few months she was going to be the one with that baby, she had one thing he didn’t and she wanted to breast feed. Was that really fair to him? To steal those first weeks away from him? Was it really fair to her? To be constantly there for a newborn with no support? How the hell were they supposed to work this out because she couldn’t see it getting any easier the further time went on either, who would their baby spend Christmas with? Birthdays?

“I heard Rach kind of chewed you out yesterday,” he said breaking her from her thoughts.

“Yeah,” she scoffed.

“What about your folks? How did they take the news?” He asked as they strolled along the water’s edge.

“Kind of shocked but my Dad’s excited said that if she’s born on his birthday it would be the best present, I think that kind of tipped Rach over the edge.”

“Alex said she’s moody a lot at the moment, said he found her sobbing at an infomercial the other day and the ten minutes later she was cussing out the dishwasher when it wouldn’t start.”

“He said that he’s giving her the benefit of the doubt at the moment,” she told him with a small laugh, a sound that quickly stopped with his next comment.

“Should I be doing that with you?”

She stayed quiet and carried on walking not realising he hadn’t followed her until she was at least twelve paces away from him and when she looked back she saw him lean down and take Layla off the leash so she could have a swim, a favourite past time of hers. She spotted a bench not too far away and headed towards it, crossing her arms across her chest as she sat down and waited for him to catch her up. He sat down next to her and placed the leash in the floor at his feet.

“How is this going to work?” He asked as he stared out across the expanse of water before them.

“I don’t know,” was the only reply she could think of.

“I don’t want to be a weekend Dad, I don’t want to argue with you at Christmas’s or Birthday’s, I don’t…I don’t want the only time that I am going to see you be when I’m picking her up or dropping her off. I don’t want to miss the first smile, the first tooth, the first crawl, the first steps. I want to be with you through all of this, I want you to wake me up in the middle of the night because you have a hankering for ice cream, I want to see you sobbing at infomercials one minute then be bitching at me the next,” he said reaching for her hand but she pulled away quickly. “Why don’t you want that?”

“It just won’t work.”

“That’s bullshit Adie and you know it. Four months ago you were unhappy because I wouldn’t commit to you, because I said I was unsure if I wanted to have kids but here I am ready and willing and you still push me away, I can’t win with you. I know I have been closed off but I was trying, I was making an effort and maybe it wasn’t quick enough for you but I was trying.”

“You don’t want this,” she stated.

“Stop telling me what I fucking want and don’t want!” He almost hissed making her tense at a tone she had never heard from him.

“Look Nick I haven’t come here to try and work on us, I’ve come here to try and work out how this is all going to work okay? I’m more than happy for you to be a part of her life, but that’s it, you can be a part of her life, not mine. We’re over, that part of our lives is finished and nothing you say to me is going to change that,” she told him quite harshly but if it was the only way he was going to get the message then so be it.

She could feel his stare on her even though she was looking dead ahead out at the water and she expected for some smart retort, some argument against what she had just told him but he just shook his head and pushed himself up from the bench, walking away from her, whistling to Layla who quickly swam back to the shore line. She sighed deeply and watched as he picked up a stick throwing it out into the water, Layla swimming eagerly to get it. She was so tempted to just get up and walk in the opposite direction back to her car but she knew that she needed to make him see today, she knew they had to come up with something and so she lent down and picked up the leash he had left on the floor and took off after him.

“I love you, doesn’t that mean anything?” He asked softly when she reached him.

“I have an doctors appointment on Thursday it’s at ten am, you can come if you want,” she offered, ignoring his last comment.

“I don’t believe you can fall out of love with someone as quickly as you have unless you never really loved them at all. Did you never really love me?” He asked.

“It’s not about love.”

“Then what is it about?” he asked again, throwing the stick when Layla had retrieved it.

“Protecting her,” she whispered.

“From me?” he asked turning his head to Adie and she didn’t miss the hurt that flashed through his blue eyes.

She shook her head, “No, from us, from all the fighting and arguing.”

“What happened to you?” He asked staring her down.

“What?” She asked confused.

“What happened? You used to be the most positive person I knew, you had a great upbringing with great parents it’s not like you’ve witnessed first hand a bitter divorce, so why so pessimistic all of a sudden? Did I do that to you?” he asked.

“No. No it wasn’t you,” she told him knowing instantly she had given away too much.

“But it was somebody?”

“Are you going to come on Thursday or not?” She asked trying to change the subject.

“Of course I am. So this is it? This is how our lives our going to be?” he asked.

“Yeah,” she nodded.

“I meant what I said you know. I will get you back, no matter how long it takes,” he told her firmly.

“I have to go,” she said turning on her heel but he grabbed her arm softly stopping her and for a moment she thought he was going to pull her into a kiss again but he didn’t.

“Wait…there’s something I need to give you, it’s in the car,” he said whistling to Layla again before he started heading in the direction of the car, knowing that, at least for today, she was a lost cause and it was better to let her go rather then run the risk of pushing her further away. They walked the five minute journey back to their cars in silence, and when they were five feet from his car he unlocked it leaving her to wait for him. He reappeared a few moments later with three leather bound books and instantly she knew what they were. She had seen him writing in them ever since they had moved in together but she had never questioned him about them, had never tried to find where he kept them even though she had so desperately wanted to see what he had been writing.

“Are you sure you want me to have these?” She asked taking them from him.

“Yeah. Read them.”

“Okay. So I’ll see you Thursday?” She asked.

“Yeah, do you want me to pick you up?” He asked as he opened the trunk so Layla could jump in.

“Erm no I can meet you there,” she said as she clutched the diaries close to her chest.

“Fine, I’ll see you Thursday,” he said as he watched her walk the short distance to her own car. She waved bye before starting the engine and moving out of her space and two minutes later her shiny red car had left his sight of vision and he slumped back against the door of his own car with a sigh. A twenty minute encounter with her had left him feeling drained and yet nothing had changed, she was still adament that nothing was going to change between them. He looked at his watch it was only twelve fifteen, there was no way he wanted to go home yet and so he opened the trunk door again and Layla hoped out.

“Come on, lets go for a run,” he said as he clipped her leash to her collar before closing the trunk and locking the car.

***

She looked at her watch as she sat in traffic, barely twelve thirty, their encounter couldn’t have lasted more the fifteen minutes tops. She wiped at the tear that spilled past her sunglasses and tried to pull herself together, wanting to kick herself at alost giving away too much.

How could one person do this to her? Make her question everything? She thought she had gotten past all that, gotten over what had happened so long ago but this was almost as if history was repeating itself, yes the situation was slightly different but the outcome was the same, she was still hurting just as badly. The main difference was that this time she would have the baby and this time she wouldn’t be the only one that was hurting, he would be too.

 

A strangled smile fell from your face
It kills me that I hurt you this way
The worst part is that I didn't even know
Now there's a million reasons for you to go
But if you can find a reason to stay

I'll do whatever it takes
To turn this around
I know what's at stake
I know that I've let you down
And if you give me a chance
Believe that I can change
I'll keep us together whatever it takes

She said "If we're gonna make this work
You gotta let me inside even though it hurts
Don't hide the broken parts that I need to see"
She said "Like it or not it's the way it's gotta be
You gotta love yourself if you can ever love me"

I'll do whatever it takes
To turn this around
I know what's at stake
I know that I've let you down
And if you give me a chance
And give me a break
I'll keep us together, I know you deserve much better

But remember the time I told you the way that I felt
That I'd be lost without you and never find myself
Let's hold onto each other above everything else
Start over, start over

I'll do whatever it takes
To turn this around
I know what's at stake
I know I've let you down
And if you give me a chance
And believe that I can change
I'll keep us together whatever it takes

Song: Whatever it takes - Life house - Recommended by Yara!

End Notes:
Thanks to Yara for the song suggestion, you are right it fits perfectly! PLease review!
Dear Diary by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Adie reads Nick's Diary's and reveals a shocking secret about herself to him

Feb 2nd 2006

He’s leaving, said that he isn’t one hundred percent committed anymore and can’t disrespected me, the rest of the fellas or the fans in that way, that he’s all or nothing! He knows I’m pissed but that’s not enough to make him stay, I promised to quit bugging him, to stop stealing his stuff, to even quit whining but it still wasn’t enough and I just don’t understand why?

This just seems to be the story of my life, I think things are good, that things are finally working out and BAM! I’m at rock bottom again. I never ever thought that we would be doing this again, sure I said it was just a break when asked by the fans but deep down…things were so messed up between us all when we decided that we needed time apart. So that’s why I just don’t understand his timing, why was he the one to bring us all together and talk about getting back out on the road again if he knew that within the year he would be saying he was leaving? What was the point? This record, this tour, everything this time round has just been so different than what I remember, it’s like we’ve all reconnected, we’ve all bonded again and I feel like I have all my big brothers back only for it to be cruelly snatched away from me. Again!

People wonder why I’m so guarded but it’s because of stuff like this. My real family don’t give a shit and for a while it kind of felt like none of them did, well apart from Howie, he at least turned up to the video shoot. I know Kevin and Kris came to see a gig but I knew it was more down to Kris then Kevin, he made it clear like Brian that he thought I was making a mistake and the whole time he was there all he could talk about was Backstreet and Alex.

Kris came to see me today, I begged her to try and make him reconsider but she said she couldn’t, that it was his decision and it hadn’t been easy for him. I find that hard to believe because if it wasn’t any easy decision then why could none of us talk him out of it? Then again I was the only one who had really tried, everyone else had just let him…they had all given him their blessing, told him they understood and it makes me wonder whether they had all known that this was coming?

Whether they had been treating me with the kid gloves again?!

I just don’t understand why all this shit keeps happening? It seems when every avenue in my life is heading in the right direction, when I actually feel positive about things that everything gets messed up.

Adie saw me loose it for the first time today. I just got so angry that I ended up storming out of the meeting, coming back to our room and smashing a glass against the wall. I totally forgot she was there until she came running in from the bathroom. I’ve been a complete bastard to her all day, almost shouted at her when she tried to pick up my mess and then because I was pissed off at myself for doing that I ended up cutting myself when I tried to clean it up. She’s been amazing though, slightly annoying because she keeps asking if I’m okay but I don’t think my “I’m fines” have been Oscar worthy. She even left me alone for a while so I could have some space, I think she was really trying to plan her escape!

She’s here now though, sat on the bed watching some medical drama, swooning over some good looking doctor, rolling her eyes and complaining that “it would never be done that way,” or “that would never happen” every so often. Occasionally I’ve caught her glancing over at me, checking to see if I’m okay. I want so badly to just go to her and tell her all my fears, to admit that yes I feel like my life is once again about to come crashing down around me.

I won’t though. I can’t let myself get that venerable around her because every time I do it just gets used against me and I don’t want or need her to feel that I’m weak.

Kris called me out about her earlier, asked me if I was in love with her and if I’m honest I hadn’t really thought that much about it. Ever since she’s asked me though I just can’t seem to get it out of my head. I find myself stealing glances at her, finding new things I like about her, like today, how she knew what to do to fix my hand. How she bought me junk food and a copy of the Goonies to watch even though I know she hates it. I am in love with her I know that because I have never felt this way about anyone before, I think about her and I find myself smiling, I go to sleep and she is the last thing on my mind and I wake up and she is the first thing I think about and…dear god I hope none of the guys ever get their hands on this because I will never live down sounding like a pussy if they do!

But if I’m so in love with her, then why can’t I open up to her? Why can’t I cross that bridge and be venerable and open and bare all to her? Is it something that is going to come with time? All I know is that with her, even though this situation bites ass at least I know I can count on her.

Adie re-read the last sentence of Nick’s scrawl and with a sigh closed the diary letting it rest on her lap as she took in what the first journal entry had to offer. As soon as she had returned home from their rendezvous at the creek she had quickly made herself a cup of tea and sat in the living room. It had taken her almost an hour to pluck up the courage to read the first entry though and she wasn’t sure why. Maybe it was due to the fact that he had finally decided to let her in, maybe it was because it might open doors to things she thought she had closed off, maybe it would make her realise that he wasn’t the only one to blame here?

She knew he had entries back further than this, she had seen him writing them when he had visited her the summer previous to this entry, maybe those thoughts weren’t as important though. That entry had told her a lot, he felt alone, angry at Kevin for getting his hopes up only to dash them. The most riveting piece of information had been his confession at the end though because he had known, right at the start of their relationship that he was holding back and from what he had written she realised it wasn’t a purposeful thing. He himself had hoped that it was something he would be able to work on over time, something he had started to do by asking her to join him in therapy.

She had rejected that invite though. Therapy…that one word sent a shiver down her whole body. She knew that although he thought his therapist would want to get him to open up it wouldn’t just be a one way street. She would also have to participate and by doing that would mean releasing skeletons locked long ago in the closet. Skeletons that needed to remain there!

***

March 26th 2006

This is what life is supposed to be like!

Adie turned twenty five today and I flew in specially to surprise her, Rachel even kept to her end of the bargaining and didn’t tell her, or at least I think she didn’t because I don’t think Adie could have faked the reaction she had.

It was completely priceless!

Her eyes narrowed, her nose crinkled and she called out my name from the chart before warily looking up. A huge grin lit up her face when she saw me sitting in the chair though and she couldn’t hand over her patients quick enough.

She told me she had been bummed because not only did she have to work the night shift in to her birthday but she thought that I couldn’t make it and that me being there was just the best present ever. I’ve never had anyone say that to me and mean it, sure fans have said it but that’s not the same, she’s not a fan, she’s my girlfriend.

We ended up driving back to her apartment, and she was so exhausted that she crashed for a few hours and then we went to her parents for brunch. I have to say I was shitting myself on the entire drive over, something that must have been obvious because she kept laughing at me. Izzy and Stuart were great though, really welcoming, interested in all the places I had been rather then about how much money I earned. Rachel was there as well and they all just had such an easy going vibe, each of them asking questions about what had been going on with the other, remembering things and chatting about the past.

Stark contrast to what it would have been like if I had been meeting up with my family. Two minutes and the Carters would have been at each others throats! That got me really thinking about my family and how screwed up we are. It wasn’t always like that and I can actually remember a time when we would all sit around a dinner table and talk.

We need that back. I mean I know my parents are never ever going to be able to be within room distance of each other but I could have that with Aaron and the girls. I could be the big brother that they deserve and in being their big brother I know it’s going to be up to me to make a change, to contact them and not wait for them to contact me.

When all this fades, when no one is buying our records, all I am going to be left with is my family and right now that only consists of the fellas and Adie.

I don’t want it to be that way.

***

June 1st 2006

I think I have made a huge mistake!

It’s been less then twenty four hours and already Aaron has come close to breaking his neck from jumping off the balcony and into the pool - stupid punk! The girls are already at each others throats and all I want to do is sleep, barricade my door shut so no one can get in a complain to me, I feel like a fucking camp councillor!

I don’t know what more I should have expected though. I mean it has been ten years since we have all lived under one roof, things were a lot different then. I look at these people living with me now who are supposed to be my siblings and I realised that I don’t know any of them, I might as well of gotten complete strangers in from the street. That’s really sad.

Aaron is kind of the same I guess - still an annoying little punk ass who thinks he’s invincible! Jesus I swear as I was writing that I heard Kevin’s voice! I’m kind of seeing what I put him through I guess. Seriously I begged him to not jump but the little shit did it anyway and my heart was in my throat until he resurfaced, then I was just pissed. He doesn’t understand why though. It’s like he didn’t see the danger and that is the scariest part of all because I really believe he thinks that nothing can hurt him and someday it will.

Beej - The amount of drinking she is doing is scaring me, I look at her and all I see is Alex. She’s adamant that she doesn’t have a problem but she was the one who is been torn up by the divorce the most. The twins obviously sided with Dad, Leslie had always been closer to Mom so it was a no brainier who she was going to side with, I stayed away from everyone but Beej? She was torn between the two, neither of them really cared about her enough to fight for her though and I think she realised that early on. It kind of reinforced the message she has been sent all along, “You don’t matter,” You’re not important.” I can’t imagine what it must feel like to be sent that message. Then again she probably doesn’t see it from my side either because I know the only time I ever really get called is when Mom wants money or Dad wants to bitch about something Mom has done. I want to help her, I don’t want her going down the same path Alex did but I also know I can’t help her until she’s ready to acknowledge that she needs it. I’m just going to have to keep a really close eye on her.

Leslie - I have never felt so awkward in my whole life. I worked it out at dinner and it’s been over three years since I’ve seen her. Three fucking years! She’s supposed to be my sister and I haven’t seen her in that long, that’s so messed up. She’s still as angry! I guess in that respect she is the most like me because when she gets pissed she sees red and that’s it, all hell breaks loose. She a lot different in other respects though because the rest of us just want to forget about the past and move on whereas she wants to rehash it all and talk about.

I don’t think I’m strong enough to do that.

I don’t think I can unlock all the bad memories, remember all the times I used to cry myself to sleep and wish for a normal life.

Adie ran her hand over the last smudged sentence and knew the words were blurred because of tears that had been spilled when the entry had been written. She knew the entry was incomplete because Angel hadn’t been mentioned but it was obvious from what the last sentence read that continuing writing had been too hard. She had no idea he felt like that, no idea that he used to cry himself to sleep. It just didn’t seem to fit the Nick that she knew, he was big and strong and never ever cried, but yet here was the hard evidence that he did, and it made her wonder whether he had cried recently.

Was it wrong for her to wish that he had been crying over her? Was she really worth his tears?

 

August 10th 2006

Adie’s here. She flew in two days ago after Aaron wiped out on his board. She’s been so amazing, I seriously don’t know what I would have done if she hadn’t have dropped everything to be here. She is so selfless that way, I didn’t even have to ask her, she just knew I needed her and before I knew it she was at the hospital cracking jokes about taking pictures of Aarons ass and selling them on eBay!

I don’t think I have ever been so scared in my whole life. He just looked so ill and when they said that his liver was bleeding - I felt like I had failed again. He was under my watch, my care and I let him get really hurt. I can just see Mom and Dad saying I told you so with shit eating grins on their faces because I know they are just waiting for me to fail. I’ve already had Dad on the phone calling me irresponsible, I didn’t even answer the phone when Mom called because I knew she would only give me the extended disco version of Dad’s rant. He’s okay though, just a bit sore now and I hope a bit wiser. It definitely shit him up and he has said he is going to change - I don’t know how long that will last!

Adie saw me loose it again, I apologised to her and she told me not to worry about it, that I didn’t have to apologise but I just keep thinking that…I don’t know what I think, all I know is I’m scared that my temper is going to push her away. That she is going to believe all the allegations Paris’s people made about me are true and there not. I know I shout, I know I get really petty over small things and I know I pulled Aaron into a fight but I would never, ever hurt her or any other women. She told me that I had every right to get angry at Aaron, that and I quote, “he was being a jumped up little shit who was just trying to cause trouble and make you look like a wanker!” I about died laughing when she said wanker! She comes out with all these phrases and saying that I know she learnt when she was in England and they just make me love her even more.

She’s talking with Leslie at the moment and from the giggling I keep hearing it has to be about me and Mike. I think she might be it for me. God did I just write that? Do I really think that? We’ve only been together a year but I already feel closer to her then I ever have to anyone else. I still can’t open up to her though, I got close last night, close to telling her how I want to be with her forever, close to telling her how scared that makes me because I don’t know how to be perfect for her because that’s what she deserves. She’s leaving tomorrow, I’ve tried to convince her to stay but she says she can’t, that she has to work and I understand that but I just wish she could be here to meet my Dad. He’s coming in the day after tomorrow and I guess I could just use some support from her.

She had to put the journal down at that point, because he revelation of forever made her cry to the point where Chelle found her sobbing on the couch. When Chelle questioned her she just thrust the open book into her friends hands and pointed, crying even harder when Chelle finished reading aloud.

“Go back to him Aid. Go back to him and tell him you made a mistake.”

“I can’t,” she said as she tried to calm herself.

“Yes you can,” Chelle prompted.

“I can’t because I’m…I don’t know how to be perfect for him,” she sniffed.

“Nobody’s perfect, trust me I think Nick knows that.”

“There’s stuff he doesn’t know, stuff he’ll hate me for,” she admitted.

“Like what?” Chelle questioned taking her friends hand.

Adie turned her head away though and tugged her hand free, “I can’t tell you.”

“I’m your best friend,” Chelle said somewhat hurt that Adie couldn’t confide in her.

“I…nobody knows,” she admitted.

“And it looks like it’s eating you alive. If that’s what’s holding you back, stopping you from being with him…look he loves you, from what I’ve just read he’s loved you for a long time but he was scared to tell you…forever is a lot Adie and he isn’t just saying this because he feels he has to, this was his private journal, something he probably thought only he would look at. You don’t write lies in them. If he loves you that much he’ll get over whatever it was that you did or didn’t do but you need to give him that chance. I think you will regret it if you don’t.”

***

August 13th 2006

God I’m such a fucking shit!

I cheated on Adie last night. I got so uptight about her leaving, about my Dad coming to town that I called her and told her she was selfish for leaving when I asked her to stay. That didn’t go down well and she yelled at me for being an immature brat, told me her world didn’t revolve around me and that she had a job and a life to get back to, that I should have been grateful that she made it out to see me at all. I see that now and I know I wasn’t angry at her for leaving at all, I was anxious and…and scared about seeing my Dad. That’s truly pathetic isn’t it?

I just

It hurts. He has a new life now - a new family and I feel as though I’m not part of that anymore. Maybe that’s my own fault, god knows he’s tried enough to include me but I’ve blown him and Ginger off so many times that I think he’s just given up. Is it sad that I still seek his approval? I’m twenty six and I still want him to pat me on the back and tell me that he’s proud of me, that he’s impressed by the way I’ve gotten all the kids together and I’m trying to work on things? To here him say that he loves me.

I ended up meeting up with Chris and Shadrack because I couldn’t settle enough to sleep and we hit a few bars, had shit loads of shots and before I knew it I was back at some random girls house with her on her knees in front of me. I don’t even remember her name!

I didn’t get any farther but I already know that’s too far and I know she is going to kill me when I tell her. I have to tell her, I know I do because if I don’t and she finds out anyway it’s just going to be so much worse. I can’t face doing it though, I don’t want to see her face get all…I don’t want to be the reason she’s crying. I don’t even know if she’ll take me back. I don’t think she will, she’s not like others I’ve dated, she can’t just be bought with an expensive gift and promises of me changing.

I think I might have lost her.

***

September 20th 2006

I saw Adie today for the first time since she told me to drop down dead and choke on my vomit! She was angry, I’ve never seen her like that but I know I deserved it, I hurt her in the worst way possible and nothing is ever going to change that.

I told her that I’m moving here, told her that I’m going to change for her, I haven’t had any alcohol since that night. She told me that if I’m going to make a change I need to do it for myself and not for anyone else and I think she is right. I am going to change and I am going to try my hardest to get her back because she is the only thing I want in my life forever.

There was that word again.

Forever.

Was that really sustainable? Could they really do forever? Would he still see her in the same light if she was honest with him? Would he still want forever then? Could she really bare it if he couldn’t?

***

November 2006

Alex proposed to Rachel.

They’ve been dating the same amount of time as me and Adie.

I don’t know if I’ll ever be ready for that.

I love her though, with all my heart I know I love her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I don’t think it’s going to be enough.

One entry, only five lines long but it told her more then any of the others had. He knew, just like she had, from that fateful day that it was all going to crumble. He just didn’t realise and neither had she that it wasn’t because of him, it was all down to her. Sure at first she had thought it was because of his lack of commitment, his lack of trust, his reluctance to open up to her but in reality that had all been transference. She was the problem.

This whole pregnancy, the whole circumstances in which things had happened seemed to be history repeating itself but this time she had been the one to call the shots, she had been the one to cause the heart ache and in doing that, in trying to protect herself she had just made her heart break even further.

She wasn’t sure if it would ever be repairable.

***

She shivered as the cold gel was squirted onto her stomach.

“You okay?” Nick asked seeing her reaction.

“It’s just cold,” she smiled making him smile back to her but his attention quickly turned to the screen when the strong whooshing sound could be heard.

“There she is,” Dr MacManus said, pointing out different things to the awaiting parents but Adie zoned out on what she was saying, it was stuff she had heard before and slowly she turned her gaze towards Nick, hoping he wouldn’t notice. He didn’t, he was so transfixed on the screen before him, his eyes a glow like a little kid on Christmas as he was talked through the image. She wanted so badly to reach out and run her hand through his hair, to grab for his hand but she stopped herself, she couldn’t do that, not yet, not before he knew the truth. Would he still let her do that though? When he knew what she had done would he still be able to love her forever?

“Adie?” She heard her name called and turned back to the Doctor.

“Sorry?”

“How are you feeling? Any cramping? Bleeding?”

“No none.”

“Okay. Then I don’t see any reason why you can’t go back to work if your feeling up to it, just no traumas okay?” She said as she wiped the gel from her patients stomach. “Now Nick any medical problems on your side of the family we should know about? Diabetes? Asthma? Heart disease?”

“Not that I know of,” he shrugged.

“Adie?”

“My Dad had a heart attack a few years back but apart from that I can’t think of any thing,” she said as she hoped down from the gurney and sat beside Nick as Dr MacManus sat behind her desk marking a few things down on her chart.

“And this is your first pregnancy?”

There it was. Her opportunity for the truth to come spilling out, for him to finally know. She considered lying but all she kept hearing in the back of her mind was what Chelle had told her.

“If he loves you that much he’ll get over whatever it was that you did or didn’t do but you need to give him that chance.”

“No, it’s my second.”

End Notes:
Please review! I am dying to know what you think about this one!
When it rains by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Rachel gives birth and it makes Adie wonder what her own life will be like when she is a Mother

Chapter Thirty

Nick knew she couldn’t have left because he was sat on the hood of her car but it had been almost an hour since he had walked out of the consultation room. She hadn’t even tried to stop him, hadn’t even looked at him as she dropped the second piece of life changing news on him in less then a month. He had sat open mouthed for about a minute before the room just felt too hot, too claustrophobic and he knew he just had to get out of there, and so without excusing himself he just got up and left.

She didn’t even look at him when he reached the door, didn’t even ask him to stop. This was her second pregnancy, her second baby and he was only just finding out about it now, they had been together for…well it would have been four years in eight weeks and she had kept something this huge from him. If she could hold something like that back what else was she hiding? He glanced down at his watch again and sighed heavily hoping that she would soon appear because he was getting restless in the midday sun, he couldn’t take the chance of running to the rest room though because he knew she might be watching, waiting for him to leave so she could make her escape. He definitely wasn’t going to let her though, he wanted an explanation.

He glanced over to the main entrance of the hospital and spotted her immediately, he knew he had been spotted too because she just seemed to sink into herself, her sunglasses coming down from the top of her head to cover her guilty eyes. She didn’t look at him as she approached, her gaze on her own feet, on the wing mirror of the car, anywhere but him and she quickly pointed her key at the car and unlocked it with the remote. He let her get as far as opening the door before he said something.

“You just gona drive off with me still on the hood?” He asked sarcastically.

She brushed a stray piece of her long dark hair behind one ear as she told him, “You sure as hell didn’t seem to want to stick around earlier.”

“What the hell did you expect? Twice Adie, that’s twice I have been humiliated in front of that Doctor,” he said low and harsh.

“Oh I’m sorry I forgot that this is all about you Nick,” she replied sarcastically as she got into the car.

“You’ve just proved my point again Adrianna,” he said as he got up of the hood and leant down to her level, his arms resting on the roof of the car.

“Don’t call me that.”

“Why? I might as well because I don’t know who you are, I don’t know where my Adie is,” he admitted. She had to look away from his questioning eyes at his last statement because she didn’t trust herself not to cry. “When you decide you want to be totally honest with me, you know where I am,” he said as he stood up straight and begun to walk away, his last statement enough to make Adie see red.

“Who the fuck do you think you are?” she yelled, getting out of the car and slamming the door shut in anger, making a few passers-by turn in their direction. He stopped abruptly but didn’t turn round as she continued, “You haven’t exactly been all open and honest with me have you? You haven’t let me in but now all of a sudden…Nick’s got a taste of his own medicine and has realised how bitter it really is!”

“I WAS TRYING!” He yelled back, turning to face her. She had never seen him so red in the face with anger. “I never kept anything this big from you.”

“What about forever Nick? Did you once ever tell me you wanted me forever?!”

His face softened at her words, all the tension visibly draining from his body but when he took a step towards her she took one back, crossing her arms over her chest in a vain attempt to protect herself.

“You’ve read them?” He asked.

“The first one yeah,” she admitted a tear spilling out from underneath her glasses. She had hoped he hadn’t seen it, that the sun beating down in his eyes had marred his vision but she knew as soon as he called her by her nickname he had seen.

“Sugar puff,” he sighed edging nearer and she couldn’t back away this time because he had managed to back her up against the car.

“Don’t…don’t call me that!” She said remembering the time he had first bestowed the nickname on her. It had been the first time when they had spent a whole week together, one of the first times he had come out to stay with her in Nashville after the tour had wrapped up and she hadn’t been able to hide her addiction for the sugary cereal from him. He had opened the door to the cupboard where she kept all the cereal and had stumbled across four boxes of the stuff, ever since then she had been his sugar puff. He reached out his hand to cup her cheek but she forceful pushed him back, “I said don’t!”

He pulled away at the harshness of her words and watched as she quickly situated herself in the car again and before he knew it he was left in the dust of her tyres. He slowly made his way back to his own car, all the while thinking how everything he tried just seem to push her further and further away, turn her more into this person who he didn’t know. He was loosing her and he knew that she was almost to the point of no return, it was like she had turned over night into this complete stranger before his eyes, yet there were still traces of his Adie that he could see if he looked hard enough. Her eyes were still the key to her soul, to her heart, the dark pools of brown that could still melt his anger away with one stray tear, the way she would cock her head to the side when she was considering what he was saying, the way she whispered forever because that one word had truly gotten under her skin. She was still there, trapped inside an icy cold exterior was the warm hearted, kind, caring compassionate women he had fallen in love with, he just needed to find her again.

***

She didn’t know how she had managed to drive the distance she had without getting in a wreck, because emotionally that was what she was, a huge wreck. She looked at the house in front of her, it was blurred by tears but she could still make out the number seven by the door, the numbers of the licence plates of the cars which signalled that they were both in and she wondered to herself why on earth she had chosen there of all places. She was just about to restart the ignition, to drive away so she could wallow in her own self misery when her cell phone began to vibrate and when she looked at the caller I.D she knew she had been spotted and that escape was now not an option.

“If you’re planning on sitting in the car all day you might want to put the top down so you at least get a tan.” Typical of Rachel to joke and be sarcastic when she was pissed off.

“I don’t know why I’m here,” Adie admitted.

“Because I’m your big sister and I’m forced to love you by law no matter how stupid you are,” Rachel again deadpanned, it even managed to make Adie crack a small smile and that was something of a feat. “Front door is open,” Rachel offered and sure enough when Adie looked her huge bellied, rather uncomfortable looking sister was stood holding the large oak door open. She quickly hung up the phone and threw it in her purse before she opened the door to her car and got out. Later on when Adie thought back she wouldn’t recall how she fled up the path to her sister, she wouldn’t know how she ended up in Rachel embrace, all she would remember would be how she sobbed into her sisters shoulder.

***

Nick pulled into the pick up and drop off point at the airport and was greeted by a very pissed off looking Angel. Her eyes zeroed in on Nick as he hoped out of the Range Rover and she didn’t even crack a smile when he went to wrap his arms around her.

“I can’t believe you forgot me,” She pouted as she conceded and hugged her big brother back.

“I didn’t forget!” He tried to protest but they both knew he was lying as he pulled back from her.

“Don’t lie! You so forgot! I mean I expect that from you but I thought Adie would have at least reminded you. What? What I say?” She asked when she noticed Nick expression at the mere mention of Adie’s name.

“She left me,” he admitted softly, dropping his eyes to the floor, grabbing her bags and hauling them round to the trunk before she could say anything more. She met up with him a few moments later, full of questions as she got inside the car where he was already sat.

“What? When? Why didn’t you tell me?”

He remained quiet as he turned on the ignition and pulled away into the surrounding Friday afternoon traffic that surrounded the airport. He didn’t want to talk about it, at the moment he didn’t want to think about it because it meant thinking about how deceitful she had been, about how different she had turned out to be, how she wasn’t the Adie he knew.

“Don’t shrug me off Nick,” Angel warned him.

His tone was angry, harsh and he knew the only reason he was getting angry at his Sister was because he had let Adie drive off earlier. “What do you want me to say? You were right?! Well there you go Angel now you can fucking gloat and say you were!”

“Nick…I…I’d never do that. I just want to help,” she said her tone softening as she shifted in her seat so she was facing him, he kept his face forward though, focusing on the non moving traffic, turning up the radio.

He should have remembered she was coming, should have called and made excuses and cancelled on her he had been to preoccupied though and now he had to tell her how he fucked up yet again. Then again had he fucked up? Adie had been the one to leave, Adie had been the one to keep the secrets. He tried to shake the thoughts from his head, but all he kept hearing was her admission, all he could see was the way the doctor looked at him when his shock at the news was obviously plastered on his face, all he could feel was the cool rush of air as she had sped away without an explanation. He just needed to shut off his mind from it all for a few hours but he just couldn’t because every time he tried something always reminded him of it. Be it a photo, someone else wearing the same perfume, a television show or, like right now, a song on the radio.

“Baby's good to me, you know,
She's happy as can be, you know,
She said so.
I'm in love with her and I feel fine.

Baby says she's mine, you know,
She tells me all the time, you know,
She said so.
I'm in love with her and I feel fine.

I'm so glad that she's my little girl.
She's so glad, she's telling all the world.

That her baby buys her things, you know.
He buys her diamond rings, you know,
She said so.

She's in love with m-”

He quickly flicked the radio off before it managed to get into the second chorus plunging the car into silence. That song hardly ever got air play was it just god being cruel to play their song now? He remembered the day she had proclaimed it as theirs, it had been at one of her friends birthday parties, a sixties theme he could still remember the mini skirt she wore, the bright colours of her eye shadow framing her dark eyes, the way she had pulled him onto the dance floor when any Beatles song had come on. He remembered the way she had changed the lyrics so she was singing it to him.

He should have been so mad at her, but yet here he was reduced to tears when he heard their song. How messed up was that?

“Pull over,” Angel told him firmly as she leant across and flicked the indicator.

“What?” He asked as he switched it back off, trying to compose himself before any more silent tears fell.

“Pull over Nick.”

He sighed at her insistence but did as she said, switching off the engine after he had bought the car to a stop. He watched as Angel got out of the car and walked round the front to his side opening his door.

“What are you doing?” He asked unbuckling his seat belt.

“I’m driving, you are too lost in your head to drive.”

Less then five minutes later they were back on the road and Nick knew that eventually he would have to open up to Angel about it, tell her everything, after all she was going to be an Aunt in five months.

“It was a month ago,” he offered.

She was quiet for a moment and at first he thought she hadn’t heard him because he had spoken so softly but when she sighed he knew she had.

“Why didn’t you call me?” She asked and he could tell that she was hurt he hadn’t.

“Because…I didn’t want to admit that I had failed again, that I had done exactly what you said I would do,” he admitted.

“So did she give you a reason?” She asked.

“I just found her gone when I got back from the last leg of the tour, rocked up home to an empty house and a note saying that she couldn’t do it anymore, that she had lost sight of who she was, that she was done waiting around for me.”

“Bitch.”

“Don’t. Don’t call her that,” Nick warned as he stared out of the window.

“Why? That’s such a heartless thing to do, she didn’t have to balls to do it face to face,” Angel vented angrily.

“It wasn’t the best thing to come home to but I still…I love her Angel and we’ve both done stuff wrong. I just want her back.”

“Have you told her that?” She asked.

“Yeah.” he nodded.

“Well what did she have to say?”

“She said it wouldn’t work, that we were both too different, she knows I’m not willing to compromise and neither is she were the rest of her life is concerned, she said things would be too complicated, that I would end up resenting her for it,” Nick told her getting ahead of himself.

“You’d resent her for getting back together again? That doesn’t make any sense,” Angel said confused.

Nick sighed as he looked out the window to his right, “I’m going to be a Dad.”

“What?!” Angel asked shocked.

“Adie’s four months pregnant,” he shared.

“How long have you known?”

“Little under a week.”

“So…god I wasn’t expecting that,” Angel admitted.

“Yeah me either,” Nick said looking to her, small chuckle even escaping.

“How…are you okay with it? I mean…this is…” Angel stammered.

“Jesus have I finally made you lost for words?” Nick joked.

“Ha fucking ha!”

“I was shocked at first but now…Adie had a sonogram today, it was amazing Angel, it was one of the 4D ones, you could see everything, her little face, her little nose, tiny fingers, it looked like she was waving halfway through,” he beamed.

“She?” Angel questioned.

“Yep I’m going to have a daughter,” he told her his smile growing even wider.

“You’re really excited about this aren’t you?” Angel asked with a smile.

He nodded, “Yeah. I never ever thought I would be, but now that it’s happened and I’ve heard her heartbeat, seen her moving…it’s really difficult to describe how I feel but I’m okay with it, I’m more then okay with it. Adie doesn’t believe me though, not that I can really blame her.”

“So you’ve told her you’re okay with it?” Angel asked as she pulled into Nick’s street.

“Yeah. I’ve told her I want to be involved, that I want us to be a family but she…she says that I can be as involved as I want in the baby’s life but that’s it…we’re finished,” he said getting slightly choked as he rehashed that fight in his mind.

“You’ll get her back.”

“I hope so Angel, God I hope so.”

***

Adie had received the phone call at six am.

Little Max Mclean had made his way into the world at five thirty am, three weeks ahead of schedule and of course it had taken Alex almost five minutes to compose himself enough to tell her all the details through his happy tears but now she was fully updated. Her nephew had arrived after a relatively quick labour of four hours and thirteen minutes, he weighed seven pounds and three ounces, was twenty one inches long and had a set of lungs if the crying Adie had heard in the background had been anything to go by. Rachel was fine, made it through with gas and air and wanted Adie to come and meet her nephew as soon as visiting hours allowed. She had promised to be there as soon as she could and hung up the phone with a smile across her face as she placed her hand to her stomach, feeling how hard it was due to her own baby being in there.

She laid back down in bed hoping to get at least a couple more hours sleep but it was futile because she hadn’t really slept well at all. She had spent most of the previous afternoon and evening with Alex and Rachel. She had managed to compose herself enough to tell Rachel everything, about the previous pregnancy, about the father, about the abortion so had felt so guilty for ever since. Rachel had been slightly shocked to say the least but after Adie had spilled all it was clear to her sister why she was avoiding Nick’s advances about getting back together and being a family. She had managed to convince Adie that Nick needed to know about her past, that he deserved an explanation and then maybe he would also understand.

Rachel had tried to convince her that it wouldn’t matter to Nick, that he would understand and that it was pointless for Adie to be punishing herself in this way because she wasn’t only doing it to herself, she was involving Nick and their unborn daughter and that really wasn’t fair. Although Adie could see her point she wasn’t so sure Nick would understand, she wasn’t convinced that he would see past it and still look at her in the same light, she would still have to tell him though because Chelle had been right, this secret had been eating her alive for years.

She heard a knock at her bedroom door and yelled for Chelle to come on in, smiling at her friend when she joined her in bed.

“Didn’t know whether you would be up.”

“Not really sleeping great at the moment,” Adie admitted.

“You should be getting all the sleep you can.”

“I know. Hey guess what?” Adie asked turning to her friend with a smile.

“What?”

“I have a nephew.”

“Rachel had a boy?! When? What’s his name?” Chelle asked excitedly.

“At just after five thirty this morning, his name is Max and he weighed seven pound three, Alex was bawling like a baby when he called me,” She smiled.

“Won’t be long until I’m getting a phone call like that from Nick,” Chelle replied quickly, her smile dropping when she realised what she had said. “Sorry…I didn’t-”

“It’s fine,” Adie said quickly looking down at her hands in her lap.

“Have you felt any movement yet?” Chelle asked trying to change the subject.

“I’m not sure. It’s not like a definite kick but I get like butterflies sometimes and that’s how they describe it in the book so maybe all I know is that nothing seems to fit anymore then again I’m thankful the morning sickness has stopped.”

“The joys of being pregnant,” Chelle laughed.

“Tell me about it!”

***

Nick peered over Stuart’s shoulder as he held his Grandson and was just blown away by this new person. Completely new, fresh, innocent and unaware of the trials he would face in life. He was wrapped from head to toe in a baby blue blanket, a royal blue hat sat upon his tiny head, his skin tone was dark but then again both Rachel and Alex had olive skin tones, his eyes were closed as he contently slept, his lips occasionally making a sucking motion, which made Nick smile. He wondered what his own baby would look like, would she take after Adie and be ask dark as Max or would she be fair like him? Would she be bigger or smaller? Would she be this contented?

He made himself pull away and walked over to Rachel wrapping her in a big hug as he told her, “He’s gorgeous which means he takes after you so that’s something to be thankful for, oww!” He rubbed his head after the soft toy bounced off it.

“Oh shut up it was a child’s soft toy!” Alex exclaimed.

“He is gorgeous but I’m biased because I’m his Mother,” she said smiling contently as she rested back into the pillows behind her.

“Won’t be long before we’ll be back here again though,” Izzy reminded, smiling brightly at Nick before she took yet another picture of Max. “Are you going to hold him Nick?”

“Sure,” he said as he placed his jacket on the end of Rachel’s bed, accepting the baby as Stuart passed Max to him. He shifted the baby around gently in his arms until he felt comfortable with supporting his head and the rest of his body, gently “sshing” him when he started to fuss from the switch. Conversation between Angel, Alex, Rachel and her Father flowed easily around him but he wasn’t really paying attention to any of it, his whole focus on the child in his arms. He slowly walked around the room, ending up by the window as he thought more and more what he would feel like when he was holding his own child, how amazing it was going to be and how privileged he was to be able to watch and new life that he had helped to create grow and develop.

His thoughts weren’t all positive though because he knew it was going to be far from easy to raise a child between two homes, to look after her on his own for the first few weeks of her life, when she was teething or when she was sick. That was when it hit him hard, he probably wouldn’t get to look after her for the first few months of her life, if Adie chose to breast feed, which he knew she would, she would have to be with her twenty four seven. He was going to miss out on so much, how difficult would it be to get to know her with stolen hours here and there?

“You look deep in thought,” Izzy said coming up beside him at the window.

“It’s going to be a lot different when we’re all here next,” he stated.

“How so?” She asked.

“Can you really see me and Adie being like that?” He said nodding his head over to Alex and Rachel. The whole time Nick had been there they had been touching in some way or another, holding hands, smiling whispering things to each other. Just generally enjoying each other and their son.


“Things might change Nick.”

“She’s too stubborn.”

“She gets that from her Father. Why are you laughing Nickolas?” She asked indignantly, her eyes narrowing and to Nick it was just like staring at Adie when she got that look on her face. Adie had definitely inherited her Mother’s dark, passionate and expressive eyes, Izzy’s held slightly more wisdom, there were a few fine lines, probably from all the worrying she had done about her girls but other then that they were exactly the same.

“Because she’s told me she gets it from you. Shhhhh, shhhhhhh,” he whispered as Max began to fuss again and when it didn’t work he lifted the baby so his head was resting in the crook of Nick’s shoulder, the change in positioning calming the baby instantly. “Is that better?” Nick asked as he leant his head down slightly to place a small kiss to Max’s hat covered head.

“You’re going to be a great Daddy Nick,” Izzy said softly as she smiled warmly at him whilst stroking Max’s back.

***

No one had noticed her yet and so she quickly back tracked out of the room and leant against the wall for some support, trying to take in what she had just seen before her. It was like her life had flashed forward by five months because when she saw Nick with Max it made her heart ache. The way in which he was holding him, the way he tenderly spoke to him, the way he softly leant his head down so he could place a small kiss on the child’s head it wasn’t what she had expected at all. She had thought he would be reluctant to hold him, scared of dropping him like he had been when they had visited Kevin and Kristin when Mason was a few weeks old but yet here he was with Max not even six hours old and he looked like a pro. Maybe he was ready. Who was she trying to kid, she knew he was ready, she had known he was ready from the moment he found out he was having a daughter.

She was the one who hadn’t been.

She took a deep breath in and turned back into the room, smiling brightly at Rachel when her sister spotted her.

“Congratulations,” She said as she wrapped her in a hug before turning to Alex and doing the same. “So where is my nephew?” She asked when she pulled back from the hug.

“Right here,” Nick said smiling to her when she looked over to him. She walked over to the window, saying her hi’s to her Parents along with an awkward one to Angel and before she knew it she was stood next to Nick peering up at the small infant nestled comfortably in his shoulder. He looked so tiny curled up against Nick’s large frame, the one hand the had escaped from the blanket resting against his small mouth.

“He’s gorgeous isn’t he?” Nick said and she nodded in agreement, finding it almost difficult to breath because she knew it would probably leave her in tears. “She will be too,” he said almost proudly as his eyes drifted to Adie’s round tummy. “Wanna hold him?”

“I uh need to use to bathroom first,” she lied, she just needed five more minutes to compose herself. She placed her bag on the edge of Rachel’s bed before she took off her jacket.

“Finally!” Rachel exclaimed making everyone look to her in confusion, “I can start calling you fatty now!”

Adie glanced down at her belly along with everyone else and laughed at her sisters comment. “I’m growing all right.”

“Well she is Nick’s so she’s going to be a big baby,” Alex deadpanned.

“Oh haha you are such a comedian,” Nick whined with a roll of his eyes.

“I’ll be back in a second,” Adie said as she walked out of the room and down to the bathrooms, she didn’t go into the stall though, just leant against the sinks and she stared at her reflection in the mirror. She was just about to splash some water on her face when the door opened again and she looked through the mirror and caught Angel glancing back at her. Adie smiled awkwardly as she turned round to face one of the youngest Carter’s who was a lot wiser for her age the most people expected.

“I saw they way you looked at him when you first came in,” She sated. “You can have that Adie, he’s ready and he’s excited and you guys could be really happy together.”

“It’s complicated Angel.”

“It’s only as complicated as you make it. I know Nick is holding back on a few things and that I don’t know everything that’s going on right now but you have the ability to make him happy here, to make yourself happy. You have the ability to give him the family that he always wanted when we were growing up. You can show him how great life really is and that you don’t have to repeat the same mistakes our parents did. Please don’t steal that from him, don’t let him turn back into the jerk he was when they were getting divorced, don’t let him close off completely.”

“We’re too different,” Adie tried.

“No you’re not. To do this to him is one thing but are you really sure you want to steal your babies family away from her? At some point she is going to find out what happened between you two and at some point she’ll realise that you were the one that stopped her from having a complete family and she’ll end up resenting you for it.” With that said Angel walked into the stall and closed the door leaving Adie to contemplate what had been said as she walked back towards her sisters room.

She was so lost in her thoughts that she almost bumped directly into Nick when he walked out of the room.

“Sorry,” She apologised.

“It’s okay,” he shrugged. “Have you seen Angel?”

“Bathroom.”

“Are you okay?” He asked noticing her subdued mood.

“Fine.”

“What did she say to you?” He sighed as he leant against the wall.

“Nothing.”

“If she upset you I want to know,” he told her firmly.

“She didn’t. Are you leaving?” She asked noticing how he had his coat in his hand.

“Yeah.”

“I’ll uh give you a call in a couple of days, let you know when the next doctors appointment is.”

“Thanks, I’ll see you later,” he said as he walked in the direction of the bathrooms. She watched until he was out of her line of sight and then entered the room, smiling at Rachel and wrapping her arm around her as she perched herself down on the bed.

“What was it like?” Adie asked.

“Painful,” Rachel said making her sister roll her eyes.

“I already know that.”

“It was amazing. When he was out and he cried…” she said shaking her head in amazement, “…it didn’t matter that I had been in agony. When I held him…he looked up and me straight away with these big eyes and I’m hooked I never thought in a million years I could love someone that unconditionally that quick but I do. It’s amazing and it makes me so excited for you. You gona hold him? I’m not sure how much more battery life Mom has left in the camera,” Rachel joked.

“She bought two sets of spares,” Their Father told them.

Adie gently took the baby out of his Father’s arms when he was offered and snuggled him close to her chest, “Look at you,” she said as she softly stroked a finger down his cheek. “Oh hi,” she said with a smile when Max opened his eyes to look at her. She looked eyes with the newborn, flashes of seeing Nick with him also flooding her mind and all of a sudden she found herself sobbing. Alex lifted Max out of her arms before Rachel wrapped her arms tightly around her sister.

“Go and talk to him.”

***

It had taken Adie almost half an hour to be able to calm herself enough so she could drive and when she had gotten into the car it had been so stifling hot she had had to put the top down so she wouldn’t overheat.

That had been mistake number one.

 

And when it rains,
On this side of town it touches, everything.
Just say it again and mean it.
We don't miss a thing.
You made yourself a bed
At the bottom of the blackest hole (blackest hole)
And convinced yourself that
It's not the reason you don't see the sun anymore

And oh, oh, how could you do it?
Oh I, I never saw it coming.
Oh, oh, I need the ending.
So why can't you stay
Just long enough to explain?

She was halfway through her journey when she could see the clouds in the distance, dark and encroaching and she had just hoped that it would hold off for the last fifteen minutes of the journey without her having to stop again. Luck hadn’t been on her side though and it the heavens literally opened, almost soaking her within the matter of seconds it took for her to pull over and get the roof back up.

Mistake number two was pulling over onto a grassy verge.

And when it rains,
Will you always find an escape?
Just running away,
From all of the ones who love you,
From everything.
You made yourself a bed
At the bottom of the blackest hole (blackest hole)

And you'll sleep 'til May
And you'll say that you don't want to see the sun anymore
And oh, oh, how could you do it?
Oh I, I never saw it coming.
And oh, oh, I need the ending.
So why can't you stay just long enough to explain?

It been raining so heavily during the night that the grass had become boggy, the weight from the car making the back tires sink slightly, making it virtually impossible for her to get out without being towed, her futile attempts wedging her in further. She angrily hit against the steering wheel making the horn sound as she herself let out a frustrated yell. She looked out of the window at the pouring rain knowing she had two choices, call triple A and get them to tow her out or walk in the pouring rain. She knew the first option was the most sensible but she also knew that in the time it took for them to get to her she would be able to convince herself she was making a mistake, that she would loose all confidence in going to Nick and being completely honest with him. So she grabbed her bag, found her umbrella and got out of the car into the pouring rain, starting what would be the forty minute walk as soon as she locked the car.

When her umbrella wouldn’t stay up she decided that this was God’s payback and when she approached the next trashcan the useless item was thrown inside.

What should have felt like forever what with walking in the rain, felt like five minutes and before she knew it she was stood at the end of the driveway to the house she had once shared with him. She knew he was in because the car was in driveway, the studio light on the first floor also on due to the rain clouds occluding the light from the sun making the day appear so dim.

It would have been so easy to just carry on walking, to avoid him and leave this for another day. She had been taking the easy road for too long though and now she needed to do something that was going to be incredibly difficult. She just hoped he would still feel the same way after he knew because she didn’t know what she was going to do if he didn’t.

So with a deep breath she walked up the pathway, up the porch steps and raised her finger to the bell. It took her a good two minutes to find the courage to actually make it ring and when she heard it’s loud sound followed by Layla’s bark she regretted pushing it, wondering if she could make it out of sight before he got the door. She shook her head at herself and remained were she was, her heart beating as fast and as loud as the sounds Nick made when he came bounding down the hardwood of the stairs and before she knew it he was stood in front of her.

“Adie?” He asked.

“I want to come home,” she mumbled as she wiped some moisture from her face, it could have been rain or it could have been tears she wasn’t sure, the only thing she knew was that he hadn’t heard her correctly because of how she mumbled.

“Yeah you can come in,” he said opening the door wider.

She shook her head at him before repeating, “No, I said I want to come home.”

 

Take your time.
Take my time.

Take these chances to turn it around. (take your time)
Take these chances, we'll make it somehow
And take these chances to turn it around. (take my...)
Just turn it around.

Oh, how could you do it?
Oh I, I never saw it coming.
Oh, oh, how could you do it?
Oh I, I never saw it coming.
Oh, oh, how could you do it?
Oh I, I never saw it coming.
Oh, oh I need an ending.

So why can't you stay
Just long enough to explain?

You can take your time, take my time.

 

 

Song Credits:

I Feel Fine - The Beatles

When it Rains - Paramore

End Notes:
Let me know what you think!
The Truth by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Adie finally explains things to Nick

When Nick had opened the door she had been the last person on earth he had expected to see. She was soaked, completely and utterly drenched, her dark hair hung heavily from her head, large drops of water falling from the ends and running of her leather jacket, she had dark rings around her eyes from where her makeup had run, he would later realise that was from tears and not just the rain, her jeans almost black from the amount of water they held.

He even had to say her name to make sure that it wasn’t some crazy illusion, “Adie?”

“I want to come -” He missed the last part because she trailed off into a mumble. He had hoped she had said back but he wasn’t holding his breath because he knew the logical end to that sentence would be come in and so he had opened the door wider to let her through, looking back to her questioningly when she didn’t make any move to enter. Typical of her to wait for a verbal invitation.

“Sure you can come in.”

She remained where she was, shaking her head before she said, “No, I said I want to come home.”

He stared at her dumbfounded for a moment because there was no way she could have said what he thought his ears had heard. There was no way she would cave in that easily, her mind had been made up, she had already told him firmly so many times that it couldn’t possibly be as easy as that. He watched as she wiped at her eyes, making the makeup smudge further across her face but he still didn’t move to do anything, it wasn’t until he realised how badly she was shivering, her teeth almost chattering that he made his move.

He stepped forward closing the small gap between them quickly and wrapped his arms around her shoulders pulling her into his chest as he placed a kiss to the side of her wet head. She clung to him, literally held him so tightly around the middle he thought he was going to find it hard to breath but he didn’t care, the only thing that mattered was that she was here in his arms where she belonged.

“I’m sorry, god I’m so sorry,” she whispered before so broke down crying. He didn’t say anything, all he did was hold her that bit tighter, loving the feeling of having her in his arms again, loving how different it felt because of the small bump where their daughter was lying was pressing against him. He kissed the side of her head again before he tried to pull away from her but she increased her grip almost as if she was afraid to let him go. He unwrapped one of her arms from around his waist and took her hand in his as he led her into the hallway of the house, closing the door behind them to keep out the cold and rain.

He looked back to her once they were inside and the moment his eyes locked with hers she started crying uncontrollably again and all he could do was pull her to him to try and calm her. He just held her as she cried but after five minutes he knew the shaking she was doing wasn’t only from the emotion wracking her body but because she was so damn cold and wet. He needed to warm her, needed to get her out the wet clothes because he was now starting to feel the cold as her wet body seemed to leak onto him, his own t-shirt now sticking to him.

“You’re freezing,” He said as he peeled her sopping leather jacket from her arms and body, amazed by how heavy it now was. He hung it up on the banister of the stairs that stood behind before turning back to her. He drunk in the sight of her, her vest top completely stuck to her body, totally enhancing the roundness of her swollen tummy and he couldn’t help but smile. “You need a warm bath, c’mon,” he said taking her hand again leading her up the stairs towards their bedroom.

Her tears had quietened now but they were still falling and she didn’t say anything when he sat her down on the bed before he walked into the bathroom and began to run the water into the huge tub, adding a few of the bath salts she had left behind after she had left. That was when it really hit him that this was actually happening, he was running a bath for her because she was here, because she had just told him she wanted to come home, she was only a few feet away from him, sat on their bed. He took a shaky breath himself as he grabbed a towel and walked back into the bedroom to find her sat exactly where he had left her, her hand coming up to her cheek to wipe away the tears that were still falling. He sat down next to her again and softly began to wipe at her hair with the towel to try and soak up some of the rain water, and when he knew he wasn’t going to be able to make it any drier his hands went to the hem of her vest pulling it up over her head when she lifted her arms for him. She shivered more violently when the cold air hit her already cold chest and he quickly wrapped the towel around her shoulders before he bought her to his own chest again, rubbing his hands up and down her arms to try and conduct some heat.

A few moments later he lead her into the warmer bathroom and sat her down on the toilet as he busied himself with finishing off her bath.

“I’m going to go and make you a hot drink okay?” He said as he headed towards the door.

He stopped when he heard her call out to him, turning to face her.

“I love you,” she whispered.

He smiled brightly to her returning the sentiment, “I love you too. I’ll be right back okay?”

He made his way out of the bathroom, walked through the bedroom and made his way into the hallway, bumping into Angel as she walked out of the guest room she was staying in.

“Who was at the door?” She asked and eh couldn’t help but smile.

“Adie.”

“You’re smiling,” she noticed, her own small smile appearing.

“She’s having a bath. She wants to come home.”

“Really?!” She asked excitedly as leant forward and hugged him. “Just let me grab some food and water and I promise I will stay out of the way for the rest of the day!” She told him as she headed towards the stairs.

“You don’t have to do that,” he replied as he followed her down the stairs.

“Yeah I do, you need some time alone.”

***

Adie slipped into the warmth of the bath and she could instantly feel the soothing and calming effect the lavender bath bubbles were having on her. She reclined back and closed her eyes as she let herself sink lower until her head was completely submerged by water, she stayed that way until her lungs burned with their need for air and then she quickly resurfaced. She ran her hands over her face, wiping her eyes to clear the water from them as she rested her head back against the edge of the bath. She looked around the room realising that not a lot had changed since she had been there last, then again why would it? Everything was hidden in here anyway, when they had redecorated the master suite only a year before she had made sure there was enough storage space for everything to have it’s own place in the bathroom because she couldn’t stand to see half bottles of used product everywhere.

She looked to the cupboard that used to hold all her own toiletries and wondered whether it was still completely barren or whether he had filled it with anything, that then led her to wonder whether his clothes had over flowed to her side of the closet, whether there was still a few empty drawers in the office for her teaching aids and books. Could she possibly just move back in like nothing had happened? Refill those spaces with her stuff almost as if they had never been empty? Could it really be as simple as just asking to come back home like she had done not fifteen minutes ago? If Nick’s reaction was anything to go by maybe it was.

When he didn’t say anything she was afraid that she had left it too late, that his promise to wait as long as it took was a lie, that he was going to either laugh or shut the door in her face and leave her in the rain. That was what she deserved. She didn’t deserve the hug he had held her in, didn’t deserve the kisses she had received and she certainly didn’t deserve his tenderness in running her a bath, drying her off and making her a drink. She deserved to be left out in the cold alone to be treated exactly like she had treated him when she had walked out without a second glance.

She heard the door creak and when she turned her head he was stood, a cup of something steaming hot in his hands, a smile playing on his lips and she wondered how she could have ever left him when he could be this kind and caring. He could also be a real jerk at times though, just like she could be a real bitch when the mood took her, nobody was perfect, she knew that now, she just hoped that he knew it too because she knew he was going to see a different part of her, a part he might not like, but it was a part of her none the less.

“Getting warmer?” He asked as he handed her the cup which she gratefully took, smiling when she realised what it was.

“Yeah. Where’s my marshmallows?” She asked jokingly, nodding her head to the hot chocolate in her hands.

“I only have white ones left, you don’t like those,” he reminded.

“There’s some stuff I need to tell you,” Adie told him with a shaky breath.

“I know but it can wait for now. I’ll be downstairs okay?” he said running his finger down her tearstained, makeup smudged cheek.

“I won’t be long.”

“Take your time,” he said with a wink before he left her in the bathroom.

She took another deep breath in as she sunk a tiny bit lower, her chin just above the level of the water and then she bought the cup to her lips savouring the chocolaty taste. He wasn’t a very good cook, the only thing he could really cook was steak, he couldn’t iron without leaving a mark on the clothing and the last time she had left him hang a picture he had hammered his own thumb, but there was one thing he was definitely good at and that was making the best hot chocolate. Nick had told her that he had learnt from his grandmother but he wouldn’t tell her what the secret ingredient was in making it so chocolaty yet not sickly. She downed the cup almost instantly and moved so she could place the cup on the edge of the tub before she grabbed for the shampoo bottle to remove the rain from her hair.

Twenty minutes later the bath water was starting to loose it’s heat and she knew that it was time to get out, even if she still had no clue about what she was going to say to him, about how she was going to make him understand. She couldn’t stay in the tub forever though and so reluctantly she pulled the plug and watched as the water receded around her, letting it get as low as uncovering her thighs before she decided to move.

She towelled her hair semi dry and she walked into the closet and that was when it hit her. When she had been in the bathroom and in his arms it almost felt like she had never left, like the past month and a half had been a nightmare she had managed to wake up from. The half of the closet that was bare was a harsh reminder of what she had done and she turned her head away from its bareness quickly. She rooted through a few of Nick’s t-shirts, knowing that her clothes would still be far too wet to wear, and slipped on one of his Tampa Bay jerseys before walking to the chest of drawers and pulling out a pair of his boxers, putting them on as well. She spotted herself in the mirror as she walked out of the closet and realised what a state she looked, her eyes red and puffy, a few dark traces of makeup still remaining, her hair wet and knotted, her skin pale. She shook her head at herself with a little laugh, she looked like this and he still wanted her? God he must be crazy.

***

It had been half an hour since he had left her in the tub, and he was about to get neck ache from the way his head was moving back and forth from the TV to the stairs to see if she was making her way down. He needed an explanation and she had been willing to tell him earlier but he couldn’t stay in the bathroom with her, not when she was naked and exposed and venerable because he only had so much will power.

 

He heard as she made her way down the stairs, the floorboard on the fifth step creaking loudly as she made her way down and he quickly shut off the football game he had been watching. If he was honest he hadn’t been paying any attention, it was a distraction from just going into the bathroom and staring at her to make sure that this was all real and not some cruel trick his mind was playing on him. It wasn’t, he knew it wasn’t because she was right in the hallway, he could see her through the mirror, she was in his favourite jersey, it looked so big on her, almost hanging to her knee, his large socks dwarfing her feet even though he knew she rooshed them down so they would stay on. He loved it when she would wear his clothes, she always looked so tiny and so comfy, so inviting. It didn’t matter if her face was clear of any makeup, if she had toothpaste covering her spots in a vain attempt to clear them up quicker because it reminded him of how normal she was and he needed that in his life.

She was leaning down into her bag but a few seconds later she pulled out what she had been looking for and dragged her brush through her still wet hair before she pulled it up into a messy bun. She dropped the brush back into her bag before she started walking in his direction and he shifted uncomfortably in his seat. She heisted at the doorway, leaning against the frame, almost as if she was too shy to enter any further without an invite.

“Feel better?” he asked and she nodded her head as she slowly made her way in to the living room, sitting down in the loveseat across the coffee table from him.

“I didn’t have any clothes,” she explained tugging at his jersey as she bought her legs up underneath her.

“You used to spend most of your time in mine anyway,” he reminded with a small smile. She however didn’t smile back, her eyes diverting away from his and down into her lap where her fingers played nervously with the hem of his jersey.

“I…uh…this is really difficult for me,” she said softly.

“Take your time, you don’t have to tell me everything today,” he reassured as he rested his elbow on the arm of the couch, his cheek resting in his hand.

“How can you be like this?” She asked hiccupping back her tears, glancing to him quickly before looking away again.

Nick frowned, “Like what?”

“So understanding about….everything. I wasn’t there for you Nick, when you needed more time, when you needed me to understand, I wasn’t there, I left you, god I left you,” she cried wiping away the tears that refused to stop falling. She held up her hand to him when he made a move to stand up and move beside her. “Please don’t…I just…I need to be honest with you and I don’t know whether I can do that with you next to me,” she told him honestly.

“Okay,” He nodded as he sat back down in his seat.

She was quiet for a few moments, her eyes closed or either in her lap and all he wanted to do was go to her and wrap her in his warm embrace, to tell her everything was going to be okay, to give her the confidence that he loved so much about her back, she was the only one who get that back though. He hated seeing the shell of the women he knew before him and all he wanted to know was what caused it or who caused it so he could go and beat the crap out of them.

“I had an abortion,” she told him softly, her eyes not meeting his.

He wanted to tell her that he was shocked, but in all honesty he had figured as soon as she had said that this wasn’t her first pregnancy, after all he didn’t suspect her of having a hidden child somewhere, that if she had miscarried he would have found out about it by now. The truth was he had been shocked that she would do something like that, she just didn’t seem to type to him, she always seemed so pro life, she had spent her whole adult life trying to protect and save the lives of others, of mainly children so he hadn’t understood how she could have so callously cut a life short before it had even begun. He had thought it about it a lot ever since he had found out she had been pregnant before and the more he did the more he had realised that there was a lot more behind it then what first met the eye, he just hadn’t realised how much it had effected her.

“When?” He asked when she offered up no more information.

Her eyes never left her hands which were still nervously picking at the hem of his jersey. “I was twenty two, it was back in London.”

London.

It explained a lot. It was where everything had come to a head between the two of them, where everything had finally fallen apart and instantly he knew what the catalyst was for it. He had suspected that Mark was to blame for how she had acted in London, and although he had been half right he had originally thought it was because she had regrets about leaving him. Now he knew different.

“Mark?” He asked and she nodded slowly.

“I thought he was going to be happy…but I was wrong. He told me that it wasn’t the best timing, and I knew he was right because I had only just qualified and I had no money, he was just S.H.O on crappy pay and long hours and because I wasn’t a citizen I didn’t qualify for the maternity pay until I worked there for two years. There was no way we could…he told me that after we were married-”

“You were engaged to him?” Nick asked at her admission.

“Yeah,” she nodded.

“Why didn’t you tell me that before?” he asked.

“Because it didn’t matter.”

“Obviously it does,” he frowned.

“I was young and stupid and I believed him when he said he loved me. We we’re engaged for a week and then I found out I was pregnant. He was six years older then me, I was in a foreign country, I had just started my job and I thought I was doing it because it was the right thing to do. That he was saying those things because he cared about me and he wanted us to have the best life possible, but he…he…” she trailed off.

“He cheated on you,” Nick finished.

She nodded as she finally looked up to him, “He was supposed to pick me up from the clinic…I had to get the tube home because he didn’t show,” she said her voice breaking as she vainly wiped at the tears. “Three hours after…after I…I found him in fucking bed with Kelly,” she sobbed, covering her face with her hands. He watched her body rack from her sobs for a few seconds and then he made his way to her, pulling her into his arms when she tried to fight him off.

“Stop it,” he warned as she tried to push his arms away.

“I don’t deserve this, I don’t deserve to be felt sorry for,” she cried.

“You don’t deserve the life time of guilt either Adie.”

“Yes I do. I could have told him that I was keeping it. I could have come home and had the baby because I know my parents would have helped me but I didn’t,” She hiccupped as she finally relented into his embrace.

“Nobody knew did they? You didn’t tell anyone?” He asked as he trailed his hand up and down her back, sighing when she shook her head no. “You’ve kept this to yourself for five years?”

“Yeah.”

“Sugar puff,” he sighed again as he placed a kiss to her head.

“Do you think…think that I’m a terrible…person,” she asked through sobs.

He pulled back from her, reaching down slightly so he could cup her face within his hands as he made her look at him, “No,” he told her firmly. “No you are not a terrible person.”

“I think about it everyday Nick. Sometimes it’s when I wake up, other times it’s before it go to sleep. A couple of months ago I was treating a women who had a miscarriage and she was devastated and the whole time all I could think about was how I just threw mine away without a second thought,” she told him wiping at her eyes. He dropped his hands from her cheeks, wrapping one arm around her shoulders and she leant into his side taking his free hand in hers.

“Did you get any counselling after?” He asked his thumb lightly brushing over her knuckles.

“I was supposed to but my Dad got sick and I moved back and I tried to forget. I thought I had buried this,” she admitted sniffing back her tears.

“I don’t think you have sweetie. Maybe it would help to speak to someone about it?”

“I just want to forget,” she said softly as she snuggled her head into his shoulder more.

“Doesn’t work like that. You can try and run from it but it’s always going to be there if you don’t face it, trust me,” he chuckled.

“Why do you want me? I’m so screwed up,” she sniffed wiping at her nose.

He pulled her closer to him as he told her, “You are talking to the king of screwed up here!”

It even managed to get a small laugh out of her and with that sound he knew eventually everything was going to be okay.

 

What if I, lead a different life,
Would you stay, stay?
What if you, could only speak the truth,
what would you say, say?

Time doesn't wait for anyone.

There's a part in everyday,
where I lie to myself and say that it's okay.
'cause if I don't I think I'll go insane.
But the truth is, I only have myself to blame.

Song Credit: The Thruth - The Spill Canvas

End Notes:
Let me know what you think and don't forget to vote for me at the felix awards!
Before the worst by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Nick and Adie start reconnecting

When Adie woke up the following day for the first time in a long time she didn’t feel like crying, she didn’t feel like her world was crumbling, it was as if letting go of her secret had lifted this huge weight she had been carrying around for five years. It felt good and with a contented sigh she rolled over reaching her arm out to the body she expected to find when she did.

That was why she panicked when Nick wasn’t there.

She sat up quickly praying that last night hadn’t just been some cruel dream because it had hurt so much to be that truthful with him, she didn’t know if she could do it again if it hadn’t been real. She soon realised it wasn’t a dream because she was in his bed, well their bed? Was it still their bed? They hadn’t really discussed her moving back in, she had been so exhausted after spilling everything to him that she had fallen asleep on the couch only waking briefly when he scooped her up in his arms and carried her to bed.

She remembered waking in the middle of the night and smiling because his hold on her was so tight, his face so peaceful as he slept contently next to her, his breathes coming out in even strokes as his chest rose and fell. So where was he now? She looked towards the bathroom but the door was wide open and she couldn’t see or hear him moving around in there, so that meant he was either down stairs, in his studio, or even out of the house. She was just about to get up and investigate when the door to the bedroom opened slowly and he stuck his head in the room, he smiled when he realised she was awake and walked through.

“Hey you’re awake.”

“Yep,” she yawned as she fell back against the pillows, “Time is it?”

“A little after one,” he told her as she sat down beside her on the bed.

“As in pm?!” She asked exasperated making him laugh.

“Yeah,” he nodded.

“Why didn’t you wake me up?”

“Because you looked so peaceful,” he told her as he sat down on the bed next to her moving in to claim her lips in a kiss, a kiss that she deepened by extending her hands out to his head to hold him in place, her finger tips playing with the short hairs at the nape of his neck. She pulled back after a few moments and could feel the own blush in her cheeks as she looked at his now swollen red lips.

“Sorry,” she apologised.

That made him laugh, “What are you sorry for?”

She shrugged as she looked down to her lap. He giggled some more as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders and placed another quick kiss to the side of her head.

“Where were you?” She asked grabbing his other hand as she played with his fingers.

“Woke up about eight and when I realised it was going to be hours before you decided to surface I took Layla for a run,” he said.

“You’ve lost more weight,” she noticed as she trailed one of her hands down his visible toned chest, a stark comparison to the man she had met only four years ago.

He nodded proudly, “Another ten pounds.”

“God I think that’s what I’ve gained,” she grimaced.

He laughed yet again and she wanted to bottle the sound so she could take it with her wherever she went because it was just so infectious, so child like and it was one of the things she hoped that their daughter would inherit from him because every time she heard him laugh it made her smile. He un-tucked his arm from around her and moved onto his side as he slid down the bed, stopping when he was eye level with her stomach. With a grin he lifted up the jersey and for the first time he got a good look at her pregnant stomach, leaning down gently to place a soft kiss on it.

“Have you felt her move yet?” He asked as he rested his head on his free hand while the other drew lazy circles on her belly.

“Not yet,” she replied as she ran her hands through his hair.

“Not even butterflies?” He asked his eyes remaining on her tummy.

“How do you know about butterflies?” She asked intrigued at his choice of words.

“I’ve been reading up,” He admitted.

“You have?” She asked slightly taken aback by his admission.

“Yep, she’s about eighteen centimetres long now and you might start to feel dizzy because your blood volume has increased and your heart has to work harder. You can’t really here me in there yet though can you?” He asked her bump before looking up to her when he heard her tears. “Sugar puff,” he sighed moving back up the bed so he was eye level with Adie.

“This isn’t real, this is my imagination because this just feels…just feels…how can we go back and behave like nothing happened?” She asked sniffing back her tears.

“This is real,” he told her as he kissed her left cheek. “You are here and so am I,” he said as he leant in and kissed her other cheek, “And we are going to make this work.”

“You should hate me, you should have shut the door in my face yesterday, it can’t be this easy Nick, it just can’t be,” she told him shaking her head at him.

“I love you and I could never hate you Adie, I might have been really pissed off at you but I could never hate you,” he said sitting up against the headboard as he wrapped his arm around her shoulder making her lean into his shoulder. “You know it’s not going to be the same because it didn’t work last time, so it has to be better than last time, we have to be better because we aren’t the only ones involved now, we have to be better for her,” he said softly rubbing his hand across her still showing belly. She tried to reply, to tell him that he was right but she just broke down into sobs again. It made him chuckle slightly as he pulled her in closer, placing kisses to her head.

“I made you an appointment with Rebecca, she managed to squeeze you in today before my session,” he said as he grabbed her hand and started playing with her fingers.

“Today?” She sniffed.

“Yeah your session is at five and mine is at six.”

“Can’t we reschedule? I don’t really feel like it today,” she told him. She had told him last night that she had just wanted to forget, she had told him everything anyway so what was the point in rehashing the whole story for a third time and getting upset again? She had screwed up, had killed her unborn child and for what? Some bastard who had cheated on her and made her feel like a fool. She was always going to feel guilty that she didn’t stand up to him, that she didn’t fight for what she believed in, no amount of therapy was going to change that.

He sighed at her words, dropping her hand from his, “No, we’re not cancelling.”

“I didn’t say cancel, I said reschedule,” she said becoming defensive.

“No Adie. We need to work on this, on us and the longer you put it off the harder it is going to be. She’s not going to judge you, she’s really good at making you see things about situations that you haven’t before,” he told her.

“She’s not going to certify me insane, lock me up and throw away the key?” She half joked making him laugh.

“Not without my consent,” he joked back wincing when she hit him in the stomach. She was just about to say something when the phone began to ring and he leant over and picked it up. “Hello?…Yeah she’s here and she’s fine…I think so…she lugged it all out of here she can lug it all back!” He laughed and Adie knew by his tone that he was talking to Chelle. “I’ll let her know. See you tomorrow.”

“Chelle?” She asked as she reclined back against him.

“Yep she was worried about you,” he told her his hand coming to rest upon her abdomen, caressing it gently making her smile.

“Why are you seeing her tomorrow?” She asked.

“How else is all your crap going to get back here?” He asked.

“So I can come back?” She whispered, her eyes meeting his when his finger pulled her chin up.

“I never wanted you to leave,” he whispered. “Seriously baby you need to stop this because I’m scared you are going to dehydrate,” he joked when she started sobbing again. He wiped the falling tears from her face and rested his forehead against hers as he leant in to kiss her softly but just as he was about to pull away she grabbed onto his head again and deepened the kiss like last time.

The only difference this time was that she didn’t pull back blushing, instead she moved more onto her back, bringing him with her, opening her legs so he could rest comfortably between them. He carried on the kiss, sliding his tongue inside her mouth when her lips parted to allow access, shivering slightly when her hands found their way underneath his t-shirt, her nails scratching down his back. He pulled back from the kiss and sat up slightly pulling the offending material off his top half before he found the hem of the jersey she was wearing, moving it further up her body and she took the hint lifting her body slightly so he would have enough room to slid the garment over her head.

He stared down at her for a few moments, marvelling how her body had changed in only a few short months. Her breasts, although they had never been small, were now much fuller but the biggest change had to be her abdomen because it was now quite obvious that there was a child in there, his baby was in there and he couldn’t remember a time when she had looked more gorgeous then she did right now.

“You’re beautiful,” he whispered leaning down to kiss her again, one of his hands trailing down her side, coming to rest on her hip, making her lift her leg slightly the movement causing friction against Nick’s quite obvious erection, making him moan into her mouth. He pulled back from her mouth, smiling up to her as he moved his way down her body, making sure to kiss, suck and lick at every available opportunity, noticing immediately how she winced when he reached her breasts.

“They are really tender,” she told him when she realised he was looking at her questioningly. He smirked up at her before he cupped her left breast in his hand, massaging it gently with the other hand, occasionally planting kisses on it, making a moan escape from her lips as she closed her eyes at the sensual sensation coursing through her body. Her hand rested on his head, her fingers weaving through his hair as he worked his magic on her other breast and she sighed deeply in anticipation when he started his decent again. He licked his way across the waist band on the pair of boxers she was wearing before he started to tug them down her legs and when they were tossed across the room he slowly kissed his way up each of her legs, missing where she wanted him the most as he made his way back up to her mouth.

She pulled away before he could claim her mouth in yet another kiss though, making him look at her. “You’re such a fucking tease,” she told him matter of faculty, which made him burst out laughing.

“You’ve always known that,” he shrugged as he leant in to kiss her again and this time she let him, almost panting into his mouth when she felt one of his long fingers slid inside of her, god he had amazing fingers. “You’re so wet,” he moaned huskily in her ear when he pulled back from their kiss. She wanted to tell him that she had been horny for weeks, that surely he had read in the books that she was at the stage in her pregnancy where she craved sex? All she could muster up was a low moan when he added another finger inside of her, moving them together at a torturously slow pace.

He kissed his way down her body again and she almost screamed when she felt the cool air from his mouth hit her clit when he started to blow on it, the good feeling amplified when she felt his wet tongue slid across her. Her hands were immediately tangled in his hair as she pulled his head further towards where she wanted him, her breathing increasing when he withdrew his fingers and replaced them with his tongue. His strong hands held her hips in place and when his nose nudged her clit for the forth time, she felt herself come, spilling her wetness into his waiting mouth. He kept tonguing her prolonging her orgasm for a few more moments but that wasn’t enough for her and she wanted to feel those amazing sensations coursing through her body again.

She pulled at his head and he started trailing his way back up to her body, letting her roll them both so he was flat on his back. He watched as she undid his belt and worked her way down the button fly of his jeans, pulling the material down his legs and tossing them across the room when she was finished. She made her way back up his body, taking his hard erection in her hand she pumped him hard a few times, loving how dark his eyes turned when she did. Adie knew she couldn’t hold on much longer and so she quickly straddled him and taking his hard member in her hand she placed it at her wet opening, gently sliding down on him with a small contented sigh. She reached out her hands for his and once their fingers were intertwined she slowly started to ride him.

He watched her as she threw her head back and moaned when he thrust up to meet her, had it seriously been three months since they had done this last? It felt so dammed good but he needed more, he needed to be deeper, wanted to make her scream his name like she used to. He caught her off guard when he flipped them both over and she screeched at the sudden change in position but she quickly adjusted and bought both her legs up so he could slid in that bit deeper. Their hands were still intertwined as he pinned them above her head as he began to thrust inside her quickly, making her breath increase as she started to moan every time he filled her.

“I’m so close Nick,” she whimpered when he let her hands go so he could reach down to apply some pressure on her swollen clit.

“Just let go,” he whispered as he leant down to kiss her feeling his own release spread through him as her walls clenched together.

“Oh god,” she moaned when the full impact of her orgasm hit her. She clung to him as she tried to catch her breath, loving the feeling of his warm breath against her skin as he buried his head into the crevice between her neck and shoulder as he too recovered from his own pleasure.

“I’ve missed you,” he whispered after a few moments, his breath still ragged and at first she thought he was still recovering from their passionate lovemaking but then she felt the moisture on her shoulder. She didn’t want to ruin the moment, didn’t want to say anything that might make him clam up and stop this display of emotion she had never seen from him so all she did was wrap her arms tighter around his shoulders as she pressed kisses to the side of his head moving with him when he moved off of her and rolled a little onto his side. His face was still buried in her shoulder and although she could hear no noise she could tell he was still crying because of how his shoulders would shake every so often.

She had wanted this for so long, wanted him to show her some emotion, to prove to her that things did get to him, that he was still capable of feeling, of hurting and now that he finally was? It wasn’t like how she expected it to be that was for sure. She had expected for their to be some tear felt break through where he would bare all, where she would finally understand him, where everything would change and they would move on and be happy and…god it was such a naive thought , a stupid idea but she thought it would get him past his phobia about marriage. It was none of those things though, and the only thing she felt was regret because she was the one who had reduced him to this, she was the cause of his tears, the cause of the hurt he was finally feeling right now and she felt disgusted with herself.

She didn’t now what she could do to rectify that, to take away the pain she had obviously caused him over the past month, two days and seven hours so she did the only thing she could at that moment.

She apologised.

“I love you and I am so, so sorry that I hurt you.”

End Notes:
I know it was kind of short and you still haven't gotten all the juicey details but bare with me! I am getting there i promise. In the next few chappies you are going to get more journal enteries and therapy sessions! Please review and let me know what you think!
All in my head by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Nick calls Adie out on some things

 

“Come on in Nick,” Rebecca said as she held open her office door so he could walk on through. He got up from his seat and followed her into the large airy room. It didn’t resemble a shrinks office that was for sure and maybe that’s why he felt so comfortable here, because it just felt like an informal chat with a friend.

The room was large and bright with huge windows that looked out on to the wooded area where he often walked Layla, he had often stood a the window gazing out while he released some of his troubles to Rebecca. There was a desk tucked neatly into one corner of the room, it was propped up against a wall so that no one would be able to be seated opposite it, a laptop was one of the minimal things that sat a top the deep coloured wood. The majority of the room was laid out as if it was a living room, two large suede cream couches graced the centre of the room, there were a few bean bags, a loveseat and a coffee table it almost looked as if things had just been thrown together because it was what the space allowed for. Nick knew it hadn’t been though, he knew that this had been very thought out, that this layout had been designed like this for a reason. There were no physical barriers that he could protect himself behind unless he physically got up and stood behind a chair, the coffee table was set off to one side, the chairs arranged in a hap hazard circle. Physical barriers weren’t needed here because if you needed to see a shrink it was pretty much a given that your emotional ones were already holding you back enough.

He walked over to the small fridge in the corner and took out a can of diet coke, making sure to pull out a bottle of water for Rebecca before taking the seat he always sat in, the smaller of the suede couches. He leant over and handed her the water as she had already sat down in the love chair, the same place she always sat. He liked how informal it was, that he didn’t even have to be offered a drink he just knew it was there to take, that she didn’t appear to think she was better them him because he had to go to her to analyse the mess that was his life.

Rebecca was older then he was, he wasn’t sure by how much but she had to be at least mid thirties. She had long blonde hair, green eyes and was very plain, a few freckles would occasionally sprinkle her nose if she had been out in the sun. She was quite petite, when she stood she only reached Nick’s shoulder and her informal nature flooded into everything around her. Nick couldn’t ever remember a time when he had seen her in a suit or formally dressed, he had only ever seen her in jeans, occasionally in shorts when the weather got really hot. Yet everything about her oozed professionalism.

“Thanks,” She smiled as she took the bottle from him and placed it on the floor.

“Before I forget Adie wanted me to see if you were free on Friday,” He asked.

“Yeah I have three o’clock free, would that be okay?”

“Yeah I think so, she uh wanted me to say sorry again for cancelling today.”

“It’s not a problem,” Rebecca replied with a smile, “Is summer a busy period in the ER?”

“She tells me it doesn’t matter what season or time of day it is because it’s always busy.”

“Do you not like her working?” Rebecca asked.

“Why do you ask that?”

“Just your body language…your voice it dropped a few octaves it was like you were almost scowling. Has the job been an issue for the two of you in the past?” She asked.

He nodded with a sigh. “It’s always been an issue. She loves her job and I admire her for what she does because I know couldn’t do it, I know a lot of people couldn’t do it but I worry about her. You know at first when we were first dating I was sure it was because she wouldn’t drop everything to be with me.”

“Because that’s what you were used to?” Rebecca asked.

“Yeah completely. I was so used to girls just dropping everything and putting their lives on hold to please me that it was definitely a shock when she didn’t. That’s who she is though, it’s a huge part of her and when I saw her at work a few times I realised I couldn’t ask her to give that up. She wouldn’t have anyway but I knew if I did ask it would be the end of us. I let it go for a few months but when I moved here, when we moved in to together it started being an issue again,” he said playing with the hem of his t-shirt.

“Why?”

“She lied to me, well…lie is to strong a word…she let me believe what I wanted to. She came home with bruising around her wrist, some on her side. She’s a kids nurse so I just assumed it was from some scared kid when they were trying to draw blood. Now I realise that a kid would never leave marks like those, I think I knew then too,” he admitted.

“So how did you find out that they weren’t caused in the manner you thought they were?” Rebecca questioned.

“Through one of her friends. I blew up at her and we had a huge row and she even left for a few days. I wasn’t mad at her though. I was mad at the situation but I took it out on her. It happened again at the beginning of the year and we argued over it yet it happened again a month ago but…maybe it was good that it did,” he trailed off as he stared out of the window.

“Why was the last time good?” Rebecca probed.

“Because I found out she was pregnant.”

“She told you because she thought she might miscarry?” She asked.

He laughed sarcastically, “Yeah you’d think. I walked in as she was having a sonogram to check everything was okay. She didn’t even call me, I was still on her contact sheet in case of an emergency.”

“How did that make you feel?”

“How did it make me feel?” he repeated his gaze still focused on the outside world. How did it make him feel? He hadn’t really thought about it too much, he had been wrapped up in how being a Father was going to make him feel to try and decipher how it felt to find out in the manner he had. “Hurt,” he whispered.

“Not angry? Not betrayed? Just hurt?”

He could only manage a shrug.

“Don’t clam up Nick, the only way you are going to get something out of these meetings if you put stuff in, if you hold back there is no point in you being here, I thought you understood that?” She told him firmly.

“I felt like I had been stabbed in the back again, I felt like a fool but the worst thing was I felt like my world was going to fall apart if she told me I wasn’t the Father.”

***

Night shifts were a killer, they were Adie’s Achilles heel, something that she had always struggled with even from being a student. Now that she was getting older it just seemed to be getting worse. She had tried everything, laying in bed till as late as she could stand the day before she started the run, having a nap before she would leave but it made no difference she was still lucky if she managed three hours sleep the following day. Three hours was quite clearly not enough and if she was on a run of four or more she soon found herself grumpy, irritable and damn right pissed off with the world and everything in it.

Maybe it was a good thing that she was only doing one this week as a favour. She had hoped that as it was a week day that she would be able to put her feet up for at least half an hour here and there but the night had been a lot busier then usual, the pile up on the freeway the cause of that. Sure she had been banned from the trauma room not only by her OB but by her charge nurse but that still left all the minor ailments, such as plastering broken bones, administering pain meds and straps to twisted ankles, dealing with the drunks and the homeless. She literally had not stopped and then she had the pleasure of the drawing the short straw this morning and had ended up in “The Box” from five till eight am.

“The Box” the term used for triaging. Every nurse hated it. You were the first medical person someone would see as they walked through the door, so in Adie’s case it meant sitting with people, listing their ailment, applying pain meds where appropriate and categorising people according to urgency of treatment. Yes she was the one with the power but she was also the one who made others wait, something people would get pissed of about rather quickly. It often made her laugh when people would demand to be seen for their in grown toenail as soon as they arrived, one guy was adamant he should be seen for the small graze on his arm over the women whose finger was hanging on by a thread. He had soon backed down when Adie had removed part of the women’s dressing to show him.

She looked at the clock and a small smile spread across her lips. Five minutes and she would officially be out of here!

“Ohh a smile at this time in the morning means only one thing, is it nearly home time?” Marissa asked as she took a seat at the desk next to Adie.

“Hell yeah! I am so looking forward to croissants, and Jerry Springer reaffirming to me that my life isn’t as messed up as the crazy’s he manages to find for his show.”

“Aww but you can’t have your glass of wine though can you?” Marissa said patting Adie’s tummy.

“You know what I have non alcoholic wine so I can try and fool myself,” She told her back with a laugh.

“Your crazy Aids. I think you’re the only person I know how starts drinking at nine am.”

“Yeah but when you think about it it’s really our nine pm. There is logic, I know lots of people who have a glass of wine after their day at work, it’s just my day finishes in the am rather then the pm,” she shrugged. “I think Nick thought I was an alcoholic when we first started living together though, you know until I explained my logic to him.”

“How is it going with you two?” She asked.

“Okay,” Adie said nodding her head. “I’m kind of avoiding him at the moment. He’s only got eight days until he has to go back on tour. I don’t want to get too close to him because it’s going to hurt so much more when he leaves.”

“Can’t you go with him?” Marissa asked.

“All the holiday hours are booked for this month. I’ve got time off in September to fly out and see him, that was the plan anyway but I am going to be the size of a house by then,” she laughed.

“Then I think instead of avoiding him you need to spend more time with him,” She suggested.

“I know I should.”

Another annoying thing about night shifts was always the traffic on the way home, there was always loads and everyone in front of Adie was either super nice and let everyone single car out at junctions or was a complete slow Norris who seemed to think the highest speed they were ever allowed to drive was twenty. Her usual journey time of thirty minutes back to the house often turned into at least forty minutes and occasionally she would not end up in bed until ten thirty, two hours after she would leave the hospital.

On this occasion though it was like the Gods had been listening in on her conversation with Marissa because she made it home in record time and as she made her way up the steps to the front door she could see that the TV set was on in the living room, signalling to her that Nick was up. It was a rarity for him and on more then one occasion she would have to either sleep in the spare room or kick him out of the bed when she got in from her night shift because there was nothing more annoying then finally drifting off to sleep only to be woken half an hour later by him yawning loudly, or tripping over something when he got up.

Layla had obviously heard her coming and Adie braced herself for the excited barking that was sure to ensue as soon as she opened the door. What she didn’t expect was Nick’s agitated yell for her to “Quit fucking barking!” She dropped her bag to the floor and threw her keys in the giant bowl that stood on the side board as she stood out of her shoes, making sure to lean down and pet Layla.

“Why’s Daddy so grumpy huh?” She asked Layla softly so he wouldn’t hear her before she slowly made her way into the living room.

He was sprawled across the couch, his hair sticking in every direction, his eyes looked bleary and the scowl that was present was enough to let her know he had either just woken up or that he hadn’t actually been asleep that much the previous night. The three cans of diet coke, the two coffee cups and the fact that he was tuned to a movie that was at least three quarters of the way through was the give away that it was the latter. Now all she needed to figure out was why he had had a struggle to sleep because, next to Howie, sleep was Nick’s favourite past time.

“Hey you,” she said happily before leaning down to place a quick peck to his head.

“Hey,” he replied but his tone was not happy, he didn’t even turn to look at her when she remained behind him.

“You okay?” She asked as she took of her scrub top, revealing the black tank top she wore beneath it.

“Fine.”

“You don’t seem fine,” she tried again throwing the scrub top against the back of the couch.

“Tired,” he shrugged never once taking his eyes of the TV.

“Well I don’t think the three cans of coke and coffee would have helped with that,” She tried to joke.

All she got in response was an “Hmm.”

“I’m going to make some breakfast, You want some?” She asked moving in the direction of the kitchen.

“Nope.”

She looked back over her shoulder but all she could see were his feet hanging up and over the back of the couch. He was definitely not his usual self, he hadn’t even asked her about her night and that was something he always would do without fail. Instead of questioning him about his moody behaviour she decided to let it go because she was exhausted and didn’t want to risk getting into an argument when all she wanted to do was try and crash out for a few hours. She was hoping that by the time she woke up he would have dealt with what was bothering him and be in a happier mood.

She walked into the kitchen and grabbed the croissants out of the bread bin, placing the two pastries into the microwave she set the timer for thirty seconds and then walked to the refrigerator. She pulled out the butter and jelly along with the milk and walked to the centre island of the kitchen placing all her items of the counter top before making her way back to the microwave when the bing informed her that her croissants were indeed ready. She quickly spread the preserves over the warm breakfast pastries and sniffed in the appetising scent before she grabbed a bowl out of the cupboard and poured herself some sugar puffs. Usually two croissants were enough to keep her hunger at bay but recently she had found that she was needing more and more to keep her from snacking during the day, maybe that was why she seemed to be growing by the day.

After she had placed all her items on a tray and grabbed a glass of juice she made her way out of the kitchen, she lingered just outside the living room for a few seconds, she thought about going in but knew he probably just needed to be alone for a while. He obviously heard the stairs creek as she climbed them because he called out to her.

“Where are you going?”

She carried on walking, yelling her answer back to him so he could hear, “To bed.”

“But you always watch Jerry Springer first,” he reminded.

“You’re watching a film, I’ll watch it in bed,” she replied stopping where she was.

“No you can watch it here, I can finish this later,” he said flicking the TV over so she could hear the arguing that ensued as the crowd cat called.

“It’s fine sweetie, I need to get my feet up anyway, I’m starting to get cankles,” she tried to joke and maybe that was why she was so shocked at his sudden outburst.

“If you don’t want to fucking sit here with me then just say it,” he said making his way to the bottom of the stairs.

She shook her head in disbelief and carried on up the stairs, knowing that within a matter of moments he would walk through the door to their room to try and continue arguing with her, well she wasn’t going to be dragged into it, not now, she was to god damned tired.

“I’m not going to argue with you Nick,” she told him when she heard him enter the room. She calmly placed the tray on the cabinet next to her side of the bed before she pulled out the pyjamas that were under her pillow.

“Why are you avoiding me?” He demanded.

“I’m not avoiding you,” she said turning so she could see him.

“Yeah you are.”

“So because I decided that I would change my routine so that it would benefit you and so you could finish what you were watching I’m avoiding you? It can’t be that I’m dog tired? That my feet hurt? It’s because of you, that’s a bit self centred don’t you think?” She mentally screamed at herself, why couldn’t she ever just keep her mouth shut, why did she always let herself get dragged into his petty little arguments? It was too late now though, he knew he had her.

“It’s not just today Adie and you know that.”

Again he had her, what was the point in trying to argue with him anyway? Just because they weren’t speaking to each other didn’t  mean it would make his departure in eight days any easier and if she was honest with herself that was what she was trying to do. Softening the blow of him leaving but distancing herself from him before he left so she didn’t feel like he was going to be ripped from her, well she had tried that before and it hadn’t worked, she had still been miserable, so why did she think it would work this time?

She sighed deeply as she looked away from his penetrating gaze. “I’m sorry.”

“So it’s not just my imagination?” He asked as he walked closer to her.

“No it’s not,” she told him as she sunk down on to the bed. “I don’t want you to go,” she mumbled, her eyes focusing on his feet.

“You know I have to,” he said softly, his anger melting away almost instantly at her confession as he reached for her hand. “You can always come with me.”

“Nick,” she sighed.

“I know, I know you don’t want to give up work. But there’s always the phone and I’ll be home for our anniversary and then I’ll be home again for three weeks in September and then by the time I’m home for good she’ll be almost cooked,” he smiled placing his hand on her stomach.

“What if she’s early?”

“We’ll just have to hope that she takes after me and not you in timing. But if she does decide she wants to meet us early then the minute you feel anything, you call me and I’ll be on the first flight. I don’t care if I’m half way the through the opening song, I’ll leave and I’ll be there.”

“Did you manage to get me an appointment for tomorrow?” Adie asked.

“Yeah it’s at three.”

“I want you to come with me,” she told him as she leant into his shoulder.

“You do?” he asked a little taken a back by her admission.

“Yeah,” she nodded. “I don’t want there to be anything between us by the time she comes.

End Notes:
Please reviewa dn let me know what you think!
Up all night by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Adie reveals a lot at a therpay session and Nick tells her his biggest fear

Adie sat in her usual position in the love seat and watched as Nick grabbed the coke and bottle of water out the mini fridge in the corner of the room, turning to her only after he had shut the door.

“You want anything baby?” he asked as he handed the bottle of water to Rebecca but she shook her head no. Was it wrong that she felt jealous of Rebecca? The way he had just handed her the water without even asking if she wanted anything and the way he so casually just helped himself to everything made her envy all this women must know about the man she had spent the last three years and eleven months with. That was what they were here to get past Adie remembered as she nervously played with the fabric of the loveseat.

“So as this is you session Adie I’m assuming you asked Nick to come with you?” Rebecca questioned as she sat on the larger of the couches as Nick took his sat down across from the love seat. Again Adie nodded only just realising how hard this session was actually going to be, wondering whether she had made a mistake and asked him to come too early. “Is there something in particular you wanted to discuss in this session?”

“I don’t know,” She answered almost sheepishly.

“Okay. You’re the one that invited Nick so you’re obviously ready to talk with him about some things you find difficult but only you can decide what you need to tell him today,” Rebecca prompted.

“I just want to get everything out, I don’t want there to be secrets or…I want him to know everything,” Adie told Rebecca, consciously avoiding Nick’s eyes as she played with the long beaded necklace that was hanging around her neck.

“Okay. We only have an hour session though so I don’t think there is going to be time for everything today,” She joked making both of them laugh. “Why don’t we set rules first?”

“Like what?” Nick asked as he reclined back in his seat crossing one of his legs over his knee. He looked so relaxed, then again she was going to be the one sharing today so he didn’t have anything to be on edge about really. Maybe it would have been better to go to one of his sessions, for him to open up first. It was too late though.

“Like when one of is talking you the other lets you finish, no raised voices, no swearing, no getting up and walking out if things get to hard to hear,” she said looking at Adie, “ And no clamming up,” she said her gaze falling on Nick.

“Okay,” they both replied in unison.

“Is there some place you want to start Adie? Something you want to ask Nick?”

“I don’t know where to start, there is so much stuff swirling around in my head,” she answered honestly. “Sorry.”

“You don’t have to apologise. What you want to do, what you want to speak about can be very daunting and from what you’ve told me you’ve repressed a lot this stuff for a long time, so don’t expect it to be easy okay? Would it help if Nick were to ask you questions?” Rebecca asked.

“Yeah maybe.”

“Nick is there something you want to ask Adie? To share with her? How you feel?”

Adie turned her head to Nick and was glad that she had chosen to wear her hair down that morning as her fringe gave her something to hide her eyes behind slightly. It gave her a small bit of protection, something she could hide behind because there was nothing here she could do that with and right at that moment all she wanted to was walk away because she knew anything he said or asked was going to be heard to deal with. Who had she been kidding? She wasn’t ready for this, she wasn’t ready to share, maybe in another month or two…but by then she would be so close to having their baby she knew it would be even harder. If she got this over with now she would be able to enjoy the rest of her pregnancy, they would be able to move on and be happy, but the hurt had to come before the happiness.

Nick took a long swig of his diet coke as he considered Rebecca’s questions but he didn’t look at Adie and when he spoke his next words it was like she wasn’t even there.

“There’s lots I want to say to her, I want to ask her why she left? Why she kept things from me? If she hurt as much as I did when she left?”

“Okay, but Adie is over there Nick and you need to HER those questions, not me,” Rebecca prompted.

“Why did you leave?” He asked quietly his gaze falling on her.

She carried on fiddling with the necklace around her neck as she answered, “You know why I left.”

“Because you weren’t happy?” he asked and she nodded. “So, why then? Why when I had started to open up to you? Why go when it looked like I was starting to make progress in that area?”

“Because…seeing…being back in London showed me-” she tried.

“Showed you what?” He demanded.

Rebecca stepped in, “Nick,” she warned as she looked to Adie, “It’s okay take your time, explain it in the best way you can and Nick you are going to let her finish, you are not going to jump in.”

Suddenly both eyes were on her again. “Being back in London, seeing Mark…it reminded me of everything I had tried to forget, it reminded me of every promise I had made to myself that I wasn’t keeping and it scared me,” she said her voice trailing off as she bought her legs up underneath herself.

“Why did it scare you?” Rebecca asked.

“Because when I looked at the life I was living back then to the life I had with you Nick, I couldn’t really see any difference, it was like I was headed down the same path. When I left London I promised myself I wouldn’t take back a cheater and yet I let you back in without much of a fight, I promised I wouldn’t settle and that I wouldn’t put my life hold for anybody because I mattered and so did my dreams and yet again I was for you,” she told him honestly.

“I never asked you to,” he replied crossing his arms over his chest defensively.

“Not outright you didn’t but since…it was good when you moved to Nashville and we were together but when…”

“What changed Adie?” Rebecca asked trying to get Adie to channel her focus.

She leant her cheek in her hand as she replied softly, “When you went back to work, it was like our relationship was put on the back burner, that all of a sudden I had to revolve around you, like you almost expected me to give up all I had worked for and be your shadow.”

She knew she had hit a nerve when he moved his eyes and stared out of the window, she had expected him to argue with her, to tell her that it wasn’t true so she was a little shocked when he admitted she was right.

“I’m sorry,” He said softly his gaze still focused outside.

“You know you do it?” Adie asked.

He nodded his head, “I’m…I’m used to people riding on my coat tales and wanting to be with me for the wrong reasons, everyone else’s agenda was seeing how much money they could get out of me, how many places I would fly them out to, you’re the very first person who I’ve been with who isn’t like that. I see how hard you work and how much you love your job and how great you are at helping people and I’m really proud of you for what you do-”

“You are?” She asked confused at his words.

“Of course I am,” he frowned. “I guess I just don’t really show you that I am. I’m so used to getting my way and that’s because people want to keep me happy so I’ll keep them around and if it meant they give up their own dreams then they did. You’ve never been like that and I think that’s one of the reasons why I love you because you don’t take any of my crap. But I know you have settled, I know how long you’ve wanted to start a family with me and I ignored the fact that you weren’t happy and put it down to the tour and being apart. Can I ask you a question?”

“Yeah.”

“Why didn’t you tell me straight away?” He asked softly almost as if he were afraid of the answer.

“That I was pregnant?” She clarified, trying to think of the right words to say when he nodded his head. “I was shocked. I thought you were going to come back at me with the whole trying to trap you,” she told him not missing the way his whole face blushed crimson. “But I was scared because…because it felt like history was repeating itself again and I didn’t know whether…whether…-” she sniffed as she took the tissue Rebecca offered.

“You thought I was going to be like Mark?”

“Yeah,” she cried, her tears now falling. “I couldn’t go through that again Nick and I just…I kept it to myself for as long as I did because I didn’t want to feel the way I felt back then.”

“How did you feel back then Adie?” Rebecca asked.

“I felt like…I hated myself, I felt like a complete fool because I trusted him and I shouldn’t have. I felt like the biggest hypocrite because my job was all about saving kids and I just killed one without even really thinking about it. I still hate myself for it and that’s why I couldn’t do it again,” she said before blowing her nose into the tissue.

“Did you think I would make you do that?” Nick asked and Adie couldn’t miss the hurt tone, the sadness in his eyes. She wanted to lie and tell him no, that she didn’t think he would but lying was what had gotten her into this mess and she knew that if they were to have any hope of making it through all this intact she had to be honest with him.

“Yes. Yes I did. You had made clear on more then one occasion that kids wasn’t really on your agen-”

“Not right then but I didn’t-”

“Rules Nick,” Rebecca warned and he sighed as he looked back to Adie and let her continue.

“You didn’t fill me with confidence Nick. Three months ago I caught you counting my pill to make sure I wasn’t trying to get pregnant behind your back, so what was I supposed to think?” She asked.

“Did you know when you left?” He asked sitting forward in his seat slightly, “I know I already asked you this but I don’t know whether I believe you.”

“No I didn’t know for certain,” she replied honestly her eyes remaining glued to his.

“But you had a feeling?” He asked his eyes turning a deeper shade of blue.

“Yeah. I think I tried to fool myself and put all the symptoms down to other things because I didn’t want to admit to myself that I was in the same mess as last time. That I had screwed up again.”

“So why did you push me away when I told you I was okay with everything? When I told you I wanted us to be a family?”

“I never thought you would ever except it like you did, I seriously thought it would get to a point and you would turn around and say that you weren’t ready,” she said wiping at the tears that were falling very freely. “If…by not letting you in there was no way you could do that, you couldn’t just walk away and leave me to do it all alone.”

“So what changed?” Rebecca asked.

“When Max was born,” she said looking at Rebecca. “Seeing him with you and how easily you took to him and settled him,” she said to Nick who threw her a small lopsided grin. “I realised I was being so selfish and that she’s your child too and that you’re not Mark because you are so much better then he is,” she told him hiccupping back a sob. “You are such a better person Nick and I almost pushed you away,” she cried into her hands, letting Nick pull her into his arms when he moved to sit next to her.

“You’ve made some really good progress today Adie,” Rebecca complimented.

“My Turn next week,” Nick said as he rubbed his hand up and down her arm as she managed to control her crying.

“I have some homework for you guys too. I want both of you to tell the other about something that scares you about your relationship and I also want you to tell each other something you love about each other that you’ve verbalised before. You don’t have to do it today but sometime before our next session okay?”

***

He opened one eye and groaned when he saw the neon numbers flashing 03:30. He closed his eye and tried to get back to sleep semi wondering why his body had chosen to wake at such an ungodly hour of the morning anyway and that was when he felt her poke him again, whispering his name more insistently. Why she was whispering he had no idea, it wasn’t like there was anybody apart from them in the house anyway.

“What?” He mumbled huskily into his pillow as he tried to drift back off to sleep again.

“Turn round,” she said.

“Why?” He mumbled wincing slightly when he moved his face into the cold wet patch that could only be a pile of his own dribble.

“Just come here and give me your hand,” She told him almost excitedly.

“I’m too tired for sex, promise in the morning,” he yawned.

“Nympho,” She giggled, “This isn’t about sex, quick or you’re going to miss it.”

He felt her grab his hand and whined when she bent it back so she could get the right angle so that his palm would be resting against her stomach, he closed his eyes again and sighed into his pillow. After a few seconds of Adie pushing his hand into her tummy he felt it, a small prod against the palm of his hand and that was when he turned over to see her. The grin on her face was answer enough for him but he asked anyway.

“Was that-?” He grinned back as she shook her head vigorously. He looked down at her rounded belly and pressed his hand into it again and sure enough after a few seconds of keeping the pressure there he felt the small flutter under his palm. The feeling made him giggle as he did it once again, “That’s amazing, it’s like she’s real now, you know?” He said taking his hand away.

“I know. Before it kind of felt real but now I know she’s definitely there, this little person growing in there. Oh man she’s really kicking up a storm,” Adie said as she grabbed Nick’s hand once again, resting it on her stomach so he would be able to feel their daughter moving around. She watched his silhouette in the darkness as he moved lower so his head was level with her belly and smiled as he started talking to the baby.

“Hey you in there?” He asked giving her tummy a prod, “Are you going to be a can can dancer?”

“Maybe a gymnast,” Adie thought allowed as she ran her hands through his hair, loving the touch as his fingers lightly stroked and caressed the sensitive skin of her taught stomach. Her eyes started drifting shut after a few minutes of silence but she smiled to herself when she felt his lips cover her belly button, that smile was soon replaced with the look of regret when he spoke his next words so quietly she almost missed them.

“The things that scares me the most is that I’m going to come back from this leg of the tour and find that you’ve left again,” He whispered, not moving from the position he was in.

“I’m not going anywhere I promise,” She told him leaning down to stroke his cheek. “The thing that scares me is that I’ve broken this relationship beyond repair because I don’t know how you are ever going to be able to trust me again.”

She wanted him to tell her that it wasn’t the case, that he trusted her, that her being here was enough to show him he could trust her but when he said nothing she had to fight back her tears because he didn’t trust her. Not that she deserved it but how was this relationship going to work without trust?

“The thing I love about you is how you dance around the kitchen and sing into the spoon when you think no ones watching,” He said with a small laugh.

“I love how you laugh so much you cry at stupid stuff that no one else finds funny, and your girly giggle.”

“Hey my giggle isn’t girly!”

“Yeah it is but I love you anyway,” she told him pulling his hand up to her mouth before she placed a soft kiss to his palm.

“I love you and I promise that we are going to make this work,” he told her placing a small kiss to her stomach and at the moment she knew he wasn’t only talking to her.

End Notes:
Review and let me know what you think as it inspires me to write more!
Babysitting by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Nick and Adie take care of Max for an afternoon

 

Sunday was always the day that everyone would met up at Stuart and Izzy’s for brunch, it didn’t matter if you were hung-over or just finished a night shift it was like a ritual and even when Adie had been working on a Sunday Nick had always shown up.

He had missed it when she had left.

He loved her family, loved how close they were, loved that they had accepted him almost instantaneously because it was a stark comparison to his own. Maybe that was why it had hurt so much when she left because he hadn’t only lost her, he had lost this surrogate family. Even though Izzy had called him the moment she had found out about her daughters departure, assuring him that when her daughter finally answered her calls she would be getting a piece of her mind, he knew if Adie decided it was over her Mother would always choose her. That was what Mother’s did…“well maybe not all Mothers,” Nick thought to himself, shaking the thoughts of his Mom from his head.

He looked out through the open window as he and Rachel cleaned up the kitchen and watched Adie as she basked in the sunny day, laughing at something Alex said. She seemed as if she was glowing and he wasn’t sure whether it was from the tan she had gained from spending all day in the sun with him yesterday or because she was carrying his child, but she had never looked so beautiful, so happy as she did at that moment and it made him smile because it gave him hope. Hope that in the future they would be doing the same thing with their children, hope that the family he was just starting would turn out like the Jones’s and not like the Carter’s.

He let out a small chuckle when Adie excitedly grabbed her Mother’s hand and pressed it to her stomach which was hugged tightly by the tank top she was wearing. He thought back to earlier that morning marvelling at how they had managed to make it on time because she had tired on at least four different outfits, becoming more and more pissed off when nothing seemed to fit right. She had eventually settled on the chocolate brown gypsy skirt Rachel had given her from her own pregnancy and a white tank top that clung closely to her, extenuating her bump, something she had disliked until he had walked up behind her, wrapped his arms around her middle and told her that she looked gorgeous. Adie had glanced at him through the mirror with a questioning look but when he added a bit more pressure to her bump making the baby kick she had chilled out a little and he quickly got her out of the house while he could.

Nick laughed again when Izzy smiled brightly as she clapped her hands together after feeling the baby move.

“What are you laughing at?” Rachel asked as she peered out of the window. “Is it kicking?”

“Yep and she’s a she not an it,” he told her placing the plate back into the cupboard when he had finished drying it.

“She is better then it? Max was known as It and body stealer, there were so many times when I nearly let it slip that he was a he,” She said handing Nick another plate.

“I thought you guys didn’t know until he was born?” Nick questioned.

“Alex didn’t but I did, he didn’t know I did but I did,” She admitted, “So don’t you dare tell him!”

“I’m still in shock you could keep a secret for that long.”

“Hey I can keep a secret!” She told him as she splashed some water in his direction, quickly looking out of the window when she heard Max start to cry. She opened the window and yelled out, “Is he okay?”

Four “Yes’s” trailed through the open window and Nick found himself laughing again as Rachel watched like a hawk from the window, mumbling something about “support his damn head.”

“Oh God you’ve gone completely neurotic ,” He cackled ducking when she threw the sponge at him.

“I have not!” She protested.

“You so have!” Nick accused again, still laughing.

“You just wait until your baby comes along,” she told him with an accusing finger. “Adie’s always been neurotic about everything and she’s a paeds nurse, you are going to spend more time up the hospital with that baby then you will home because she is going to convince herself that the baby has every god damned thing wrong with it. Whose laughing now?!” She asked with a grin when she saw how Nick’s face sobered in realisation.

“Shit, you’re so totally right.”

“Payback’s a bitch Nicky!”

“No you’re a bitch!” He retaliated jokingly his smile disappearing quickly when he saw Rachel’s face crumble into tears. “Shit Rach, I didn’t mean…I was only joking…you’re not a bitch…you know I love you…shit,” he mumbled as he pulled her into his arms to try and stop her tears. “I swear I didn’t mean it.”

“It’s not…I know you didn’t,” She sniffed, “I’m just happy.”

“Erm…happy?” He questioned.

“For you and Adie. I don’t know why with the crying,” she sniffed again as she wiped at her eyes with the hand that wasn’t wrapped around Nick’s waist. “It’s all Max’s fault. Little punk has left all my hormones out of whack.”

“He’s a cute little punk though,” Nick complimented as she pulled away from his embrace.

“He is isn’t he?” Rachel agreed with a small smile.

“Erm Rach?” Nick asked feeling slightly uncomfortable, “You’re uh…you’re kind of leaking.”

He watched as she looked down and again felt uncomfortable when her bottom lip started to quiver, sobs almost over taking her body instantly.

“You want me to get Alex?” He asked quickly leaving the room when she nodded her head yes.

He breathed a sigh of relief when he made it into the back yard, squinting when the bright sunshine hit his eyes as he made his way towards the group of people sat on the decking.

“Jay?” He asked making one of his oldest friends look to him, “You might want to go and see Rach.”

“She crying again?” he asked and when Nick nodded he handed his son over to Adie before he made his way inside the house.

“Is she okay?” Adie asked Nick but he just shrugged as he took the seat Alex had just vacated.

“Her hormones are still all over the place,” Izzy answered for him, “And I don’t think Max has been letting them get much sleep either.”

Adie pulled Max back from where he was resting on her shoulder and held him up so he was face to face with her before she asked him, “You being naughty huh?” Max just scrunched up his face and let out a wail in protest of being moved from the comfortable spot he was in. “Oh I was only kidding, I couldn’t ever be mad at you because you are so scrummy,” She told him as she snuggled him closer to her shoulder. “I could just take you home.”

The words were out of Nick’s mouth before he even realised, “Why don’t we?”

“What?” Adie asked looking to him suspiciously.

“Take him home for the afternoon?” He asked, “You know, give Alex and Rachel a break for the afternoon?” He shrugged.

“Although I’d love to, Rachel’s breast feeding every three hours.”

“She’s been expressing so Alex can do some of the night feeds,” Izzy told them.

“See we could.”

“I’m not sure Rachel would really go for it,” Adie said.

***

An hour later Nick, Adie and Max were all pulling into the driveway. Nick hadn’t even finished his sentence about taking Max for the afternoon before both Rachel and Alex had told him that of course they could have him. The relief on both their faces had been hilarious but what was more funny was the list of instructions that Rachel had given to her sister before she would let Max out of her sight.

“Make sure to burp him halfway through the feed, don’t let the sun get in his eyes, don’t let him sleep on his stomach, make sure you support his head, wrap him up warm but don’t let him overheat, use the fresh pacifier if the one he has drops on the floor.”

Adie had assured her that she was a children’s nurse and had looked after many babies in the past with a small laugh but Rachel didn’t see the funny side and when Nick had clasped him into the backseat in his Car seat she had almost changed her mind. That was until Alex reminded her what they were going to do that afternoon.

“Baby we can have six whole hours of uninterrupted sleep! Can you remember what that feels like?”

That was when she had placed a small kiss to her sons head and shut the door the car quietly before she reiterated her list of instructions to her sister but after that she had let them go. She had called once on the drive home reminding Adie that he was due a feed within the next hour but Adie had reassured Rachel that if Max was hungry she was sure to know about it.

“What are you doing?” Nick asked as he watched Adie unclasp the belt from around the car seat in which Max was nestled comfortably.

“Getting him out, we can’t leave him in the car can we? That would be breaking rule number seventy three,” She giggled as she made the move to grab the top of the car seat to lift it out.

“It’s too heavy for you, I’ll get it,” he said placing his hand on top of hers making her move to the side.

“I’m pregnant Nick not an invalid,” She reminded as she moved to the trunk to get out the bag laden with Max’s stuff as she watched him lift the car seat out of the car, wincing when he slammed the door shut making Max wail from the noise.

“Shit,” He moaned as he tried to “shhhh” the baby as best he could.

“You need to learn to be more quiet Nicky,” Adie laughed as she took the keys from him, locking the car before she made her way up the steps to the house with Nick following close behind. She opened the front door and was immediately greeted by Layla, who of course was not interested in the two people she saw everyday but by the squawking noise that was currently coming from the thing that Nick was carrying. She craned her head to get a better look when Nick lifted the chair out of her reach.

“Layla,” He warned, “No.”

“She’s fine Nick, You just want to meet Max don’t you?” She said reaching down to make a fuss of the dog.

Adie walked through the hallway into the spacious kitchen and motioned for Nick to place the car seat on the counter like she had with the bag. She then lifted the still crying Max out of the carrier, bringing him close to her chest to try and soothe him. She then rested him in the crook of her arm as she knelt down on the kitchen floor.

“Max this is Layla, Layla Max,” She said holding out the baby so the dog could see, pulling him up slightly when Layla went to lick him, “No, no licking,” she warned as she stood up. She rocked back and forth a little with Max trying to quieten him finally giving up after a few minutes. “Alright, alright I know you’re hungry. Baby can you warm a bottle and put the others in the fridge for later?”

“Sure,” he smiled to her as she walked into the living room and settled down on the couch, bringing Max up to rest his head on her shoulder she rubbed his back and tried to shhh him again but he was having none of it.

“I know little man you’re hungry but you are going to have to wait,” She told him placing a small kiss to the side of his head.

“Did someone order a bottle?” Nick asked as he walked in with one heating up in a jug of warm hot water.

“I think someone definitely did.”

“Can I feed him?” Nick asked almost shyly as he placed the jug on the coffee table.

“Sure,” Adie smiled as she handed Max to him carefully, still marvelling at how small he looked when he was pressed up against Nick’s shoulder.

“I’ve never…can you help me? I’ve never done this before,” He asked and again Adie could hear the shyness that radiated from his voice at his confession.

“Course I can,” She smiled before she leant forward to get the bottle, drying it off with the cloth Nick had remembered to bring in. “You need to make sure it’s hot enough but not too hot that it’s going to burn his mouth so you check it on your wrist,” she demonstrated, “That feels good.” She pulled at his hand and extended his arm so she could shake a bit of the milk onto his wrist not missing how he seemed to wince. “What?” She questioned.

“You just put Rachel’s booby juice on my arm,” he whined.

“It’s milk Nick,” she told him.

“That came from your sister,” he defended, wiping the small dot on her arm.

She just shook her head at him and laughed and carried on teaching him. “You want to bring him down into the crook of your arm, that’s perfect,” she told him as he followed her instructions. “Now just place to bottle at his lips and hopefully he’ll realise it’s there.”

“Dinner time Max,” Nick told him softly, smiling when Max took the bottle and began to chug down on it. “You’re hungry huh?” He laughed looking up to Adie with a smile. “Are you going to breast feed?”

“I’d like to, it’s better for her then formula is but from looking at Rach I think I might express some too,” Adie told him as she moved to sit sideways on the couch so she was facing him completely, her legs crossed Indian style beneath her. He smiled at her again before turning his attention back to the small boy in his arms. He didn’t say anything to him or to her but Adie knew, just by the way he looked down lovingly at a baby that wasn’t even his, that he was ready and the realisation was bittersweet. If she hadn’t of come to her senses she would have missed out on all of this, it made the guilt she felt in her chest everyday swell even further.

“Adie?”

She looked up to him and from the look on his face it was obvious he had been trying to get her attention for some time.

“Sorry,” She smiled.

“Where were you?” he asked.

“Nowhere,” she shrugged, changing the subject quickly, “He might need winding now. Easiest way is to bring him up on your shoulder and just pat and rub his back until he burps, but you might want to put this over you shoulder first,” she said as she passed him the muslin.

“Like this?” Nick asked unsurely, his patting so gentle she wasn’t sure she was even tapping his back.

“You can pat him a bit harder,” She told him softly.

“I don’t want to hurt him.”

“You won’t. If patting doesn’t work sometimes rubbing his back in a circular motion might.”

Nick changed techniques and his eyes almost bulged when the baby let out a large belch. “You are definitely your Father’s son,” He joked as he bought him back down so he could give him the rest of the bottle.

“I’m going to get a drink, You want anything?” She asked making a move to stand up.

“You’re leaving me?” he asked, the slight panic evident in his voice.

“For two minutes, you’ll be fine,” she told him tousling his hair as she walked by, stopping at the door she asked him again, “You want anything?”

“No I’m good thanks.”

***

“Max,” Nick whined as he lifted him out the make shift bath he had had in the kitchen sink.

“He pee on you again?” Adie laughed taking the baby from him and placing him on the changing mat so she could dry him off and get him changed before Alex and Rachel came to pick him up.

“That’s every time he hasn’t had a diaper on,” He whined again.

“He’s a typical boy, girls aren’t as bad I promise, well they can’t aim as far anyway,” she giggled turning back to the baby as Nick washed his hands and arm.

“Good to know,” he said wrapping his arms around her from behind, his hands rubbing her belly. “She settled down now?” He asked in reference to their daughter practising her kickboxing that afternoon.

“Yeah, I think it was because Max was resting on my bump. Can you pass me the vest and sleeper?” She asked, taking the items from him when he did what she asked.

“What do you want for diner tonight?” He asked as he leant against the island, marvelling at how quickly she seemed to be able to dress Max when it had taken him almost ten minutes to just undress him earlier.

“I have a huge hankering for Pizza and ice cream,” She told him with a smile.

“Take out?” He asked knowingly.

“Of course,” she replied picking Max up so he was resting against her shoulder, his wails of protest about being washed and dressed subsiding almost immediately.

“Usual toppings?” He asked making his way to the phone.

“Yeah but add chillies.”

“Chillies?” he asked sceptically.

“Hmm oh and spicy beef, and jalapeños,” she added excitedly.

“Okay Howie, I’ll put that on half the pizza,” he said grabbing the phone and dialling.

“Come on Maxy lets go and wait for Mommy and Daddy in the living room.”

Adie didn’t get very far and back tracked when she heard the doorbell ring. She opened the door and smiled when she saw Rachel and Alex.

“See I told you they wouldn’t be long,” She told the baby in her arms.

“Has he been okay?” Rachel asked without so much as a hello, as she held her arms out for her son. Adie smiled at Alex who was shaking his head behind his wife before she passed max to his Mother.

“He’s been fine,” She told them both. “Did you guys sleep well?”

“Amazingly, thank you so much,” Alex said placing a small kiss to her cheek.

“Don’t thank me, it was all Uncle Nick’s idea and I have to say he has done most of the babysitting duties this afternoon, apart from one diaper.”

“Really?” Alex asked slightly shocked.

“Yep. I haven’t been able to get a look in,” she laughed as they all walked into the kitchen.

“Hey guys,” Nick smiled as everyone walked in, “I’ve just ordered pizza, You guys want to stay for dinner?”

“We’ve just eaten but thanks,” Rachel smiled. “We’ll let you have your peace and quiet back now just don’t get too used to it,” she jokingly warned.

***

She woke in a cold sweat, her breathing coming out ragged and she could feel her heart beating so fiercely she thought it was going to jump out of her chest. That had been the third time she had had the dream this past week.

It started out the same, she was at home along with Nick and their baby was resting in the nursery. She would then begin to cry and it was this part that caused the post panic because no matter how hard Adie tried to get to her, she just couldn’t. That would be where Nick would step in, saying that it was okay, that he would go and get her and he did but he would never come back to the living room, Adie would always find herself trying to follow him out of the front door as he left with their baby. She couldn’t though because she physically couldn’t open the door and that would be when the note would appear.

I’m so sorry to do this to you like I am, then again maybe this way is better, you can be angry and bitter towards me then maybe it won’t hurt as much.

I can’t do this anymore. I can’t live my life like this, I feel like I barely know you and after three years it shouldn’t be that way. I’ve been patient but can’t wait around forever, I haven’t been happy and I need to be. I can’t carry on arguing with you, we both deserve better then that, we both deserve to be happy.

The exact same note that she had left him, expect she knew that part at the bottom where he went on about “we” was not about himself and her it was about himself and the baby. That was when she always woke up and found herself turning to his side of the bed to make sure he was still there, finding comfort in the fact that he was resting comfortably beside her.

Well the past two times he had been, now his side of the bed was empty and she felt herself begin to panic again until she felt the undeniably nudge that came from within her. Knowing her daughter was still safely inside of her she managed to get some control of her breathing before she got up out of bed to go in search of Nick.

It didn’t take long to find him, the small strip of light coming from the office that was situated in the room next to theirs. She opened the door quietly expecting him to be asleep at the desk, that was why she was so surprised when she found that the desk wasn’t there anymore, everything that had been on or in it piled messily on the floor. She could see him standing with his back to her on the opposite side of the room taking down all of his awards, placing them into boxes, his head bobbing back and forth to the music that was flooding his ears via his IPOD.

Panic flooded her system again. Was he leaving her? Had today made him realise how difficult it was going to be with a baby? Did he want out? Had she been right when she had told him it was only going to be a matter of time before he realised he didn’t want this life with her? She took a few shaky breathes and willed the tears not to fall before she made her way closer to him, patting his back when he didn’t hear her call his name. The unexpected contact made him jump as he spun round quickly, taking the ear phones out.

“You scared me.”

“Sorry. What are you doing?” She asked crossing her arms over her chest.

“Packing up,” He said so easily she wanted to cry.

“Packing up?” She asked, trying to keep any hint of emotion out of her voice.

“Yeah, today got me thinking…”

“Oh god he really is going to leave me,” Adie thought to herself.

“…We really need to get moving sugar puff, I know you have like four more months before she’s due but with me being away that leaves us with like four weeks to get the nursery organised. I was thinking we could put the nursery here so she’s right next door, if I can move all this stuff out of here by tomorrow we can go and get the paint and I can get the first coat on, maybe even another by the time I leave on Thursday. We could go and order the furniture so that it’s here for when I come back for our anniversary and I can put it together over those few days, then at least we’ll be ready by the time I finish the tour. Are you okay?” he asked.

“I’m fine, just tired,” She shrugged, willing the tears of happiness not to fall. He wasn’t leaving, he wasn’t going back on his word.

“You sure?” He asked running his hand down her arm, grabbing one of her hands in his.

“Yeah,” she nodded with a smile, “So where are we going to put the office?”

“There’s plenty of room in the studio,” he suggested.

“What about the smaller of the guest rooms? We could move it in there and loose the bed.”

“Then we’d only have to move it all again when the next one comes along.”

“The next one huh?” She asked with a smile.

“Yeah I mean you want more then one right? I was thinking at least three.”

“Three huh? Why don’t we work on getting this one out first,” she said rubbing her belly, knowing that although she still had her doubts with the way Nick was behaving she really didn’t have anything to worry about.

So why did she feel that it was all to good to be true? Why did she still let the dream plague her mind? Why did she think that one day she was going to wake up and realise that this had all been ripped away from her?

End Notes:
Please review and let me know what you think! It keeps me inspired and makes me want to carry on writing!
All I Have to Give by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Nick had a hard time in therapy

 

Adie lightly threw the magazine she had been reading down on the coffee table as she heard the volume increase above her, the depressing strains of some heavy metal song bleeding through the ceiling. This was CD Nick always chose to play when he was angry or pissed off but this time she knew it was because he was thinking too much, thinking about all the things they had discussed with Rebecca today.

She knew it was going to be hard for him and she knew he would probably shut off from her for the rest of the afternoon but the thing she found the hardest was the disinterest he had shown when she told him she thought the baby had the hiccups for the first time. Every other thing she told him that she had felt he had been so excited about, every week he had come to her after reading the email he got sent that updated him about how much she should be growing and what to expect now. He’d barely even acknowledged her this afternoon when she told him and that had really hurt. She sighed heavily when the volume increased some more and knew the longer she let him wallow in his misery the harder it would be to snap him out of it and the likelihood of a full blown argument would increase. She didn’t want that, not when he would be leaving in two days.

She made her way up the stairs and along the hallway until she reached the door to the nursery. Bracing herself for the sudden increase in volume she pushed the door open and her eyes fell on him immediately. He stood to the left of her, the roller in his right hand as he laid the lilac paint on to the wall in front of him but she could tell from the look on his face that he was somewhere completely different. His brow was furrowed, his eyes dark, his jaw clenched and all she wanted to do was go to him and wrap her arms around him but she knew her actions would not be received well and so she called his name. She wasn’t surprised when he didn’t hear her and she walked further into the room and turned down the volume of the CD player, that certainly got his attention.

“Too loud?” He asked turning back to painting quickly.

“Just a bit,” she smiled. “I was going to start dinner, any requests?” She asked, leaning against the only wall that was still the cream colour it had been originally.

“I’m not hungry,” He told her quickly.

“You didn’t have any lunch either,” She reminded softly. He’d been holed up painting all afternoon, it had been his way of escaping as soon as they had gotten home that morning from therapy.

“I want to get this coat on, I can make something for myself later,” He shrugged still not looking at her.

She held in her sigh and when she spotted the spare roller on the floor she grabbed it and dunked it into the tray that held the purple paint. It wasn’t until she went back to put a second layer of paint on the roller that he even realised she was still in the room.

“What are you doing?” He asked turning to her.

“Helping. If we both do this we can get it done quicker and spend some time together this evening.”

“You shouldn’t be in here because of the fumes,” he told her flatly, taking the roller out of her hands. She stared at him for a few seconds, wanting to call him out on his mood but she acted against it and conceded to his wishes.

“You’re right,” she said tilting her head to the side, “I’ll be down stairs.”

***

He watched out of the corner of his eyes as she left the room and let out a sigh before he walked over to the CD player switching it back on, making sure the volume was lower this time round. He knew how he was acting towards her, he knew he had closed off since they had come back from therapy, he knew he was upsetting her with the way he was acting but today had been so hard, so draining on him and yet his mind just couldn’t seem to close off.

It was like this wall he had built had been broken, like a door had been opened and no mater how hard he tried he just couldn’t find a big enough lock. It had taken him years to build the barriers, to be able to fool himself that his past didn’t get to him but today…all the wounds had been reopened and they stung just as much as they used to, maybe even more then they used to.

Earlier that Day

“Last week seemed to work really well so I suggest that we use the same sort of format if you’re both okay with that?” Rebecca asked when everyone was comfortable.

“Yeah,” Adie nodded, making him agree with her.

“So Adie is there something specific about your relationship with Nick you want to discuss today? Something you think you don’t quite understand about him?”

As soon as she looked at him she knew exactly where she was going, knew exactly what she was going to ask about and the door had never looked so appealing to him. He had spent so long in trying to bury everything about his past, about the shattered family he had that he had no clue on where he was going to start and explain everything to her.

She bit her lip for a few seconds before she found the courage to ask, “ I don’t understand why you don’t talk about your past with your family.”

“For the same reasons you don’t like to talk about London,” He answered. He knew it was a cop out and he knew there was no way he was going to be able to get away with just leaving it like that.

“Adie discussed those issues with you last week Nick,” Rebecca reminded.

“I know she did. But I don’t know what you want from me when it comes to my family? It’s a huge topic Adie.“

“I want to know why you’re so cynical about marriage and family life,” she asked softly.

“You’ve read the magazine articles, you’ve seen the show, you know what I went through with them,” He told her as he crossed his arms over his chest in a vain effort to protect himself.

“Yeah I know what you went through, I know when they got divorced, I know it was over the money and being in the spotlight but I don’t know how you feel about it, I know its effected you,” Adie said softly.

“Why do you feel you can’t get married Nick?” Rebecca asked.

He laughed slightly before looking at her, “I didn’t have the best role models when it came to that side of life.”

“I get that Nick but I still…I haven’t met either of your parents, we’re having a baby together-” Adie began but Nick cut her off quickly.

“You…I don’t expect you to understand what happened in my family because I look at your parents and your upbringing was so different to mine,” He told her almost bitterly, the jealousy in his voice very evident.

“My family is not all sunshine and light. There were plenty of times when I thought my folks would end up divorced. When Rachel was a teen and decided that she didn’t give a crap about grades or completing school they both looked to me to get the good grades, to get the good job, I was the one they were proud of because I was going to make something of my life. There was always so much pressure to be good, to have a direction a life, to succeed at everything I set my mind to. Why do you think I decided to move to London? I had to get away from that but I ended screwing up completely, something they still don’t know about. So don’t tell me my upbringing was great. Yeah my private life was kept private and not scrutinised by the media like your was but it wasn’t as great as you seem to think it was,” She bit back at him angrily.

The room fell into an uncomfortable silence and Nick’s eyes diverted away from Adie’s dark angry ones, his gaze focusing on the sunny morning he could see seeping in from the large windows and French doors. The outside had never looked so inviting and when he got up and made his way over to the window he knew that both Adie and Rebecca thought he was leaving, even though neither of them said anything. He hovered at the window looking out, it was amazing how talking about something like his family could make him feel trapped, claustrophobic, it felt like the room was going to close in on him and he knew he just had to get out of the there.

“Can we go outside?” He asked without turning around.

“If that’s okay with Adie,” Rebecca replied.

“It’s fine.”

A few minutes later they were sat out in the warm heat of the June day and Nick smiled a thanks to Adie when she handed him a pair of his sunglasses from out of her purse when he began to squint in the sun. Some things never changed. The silence engulfed them all once again and he knew this time it was up to him and it made more sense if he was the one to open up, to decide the topic he wanted to share, because then he cold shield himself from the stuff that was really going to hurt.

“There was so much pressure on me, I was the one who was bringing in all the money, I was the provider of my family at fifteen years old. I was always told that the family had given up a lot for me to get as far as I had and now it was my turn to look after them.”

“How did that make you feel Nick?” Rebecca asked.

“I was a kid,” He shrugged, “They had given up a lot for me and I was happy to do it because we did have a better life when the money started coming in but after a while things started to change. I realised that they were all taking advantage of the money I was brining in.”

“How so?” Rebecca asked.

“When they bought the sixth sports car that they didn’t really need, or when I asked to have more control over my finances. It wasn’t just my Mom like media said it was, it was all of them, even the kids, but with them I know it was because my parents let them be that way. Anything they wanted they got, it got to the point where…I don’t want to come across as selfish or uncaring about my family but that was my money, I had worked really hard to get that and at the rate they were all spending it, it wouldn’t have lasted,” he said crossing his leg over his already bouncing knee.

“So what did you do?” Rebecca prompted.

“I was eighteen by that time and…I needed my own independence like anybody does at that age but when I told my Mom I wanted to move out, that I wanted to move in with my first serious girlfriend she wasn’t happy. At first I thought it was because I was just leaving and she didn’t want to let me go because she was going to miss me but after a while I realised that the only thing it was about was the money,” he said quietly and even though his eyes were concealed by the dark sunglasses Adie knew his eyes would be focused on the floor.

“How did that make you feel?” Adie asked.

“Like I didn’t matter to her, the only thing she cared about was my pay check. I was pissed off at the time because I looked at the other guys and their families and they were all so proud of what they had achieved, what we had achieved together but it wasn’t like that in my family. When ever anything went wrong it was always my fault, even if I was the other side of the world, it was my fault. I think I’ve taken that with me.”

“Why?” Rebecca asked.

“I left, I got my own place and I really didn’t have much contact with any of them and so it fell to Aaron to be the provider, he was the next line with the biggest income. I should have protected him but I didn’t. There were so many times when he begged me to let him come and live with me, begged me to come back and I didn’t because that wasn’t my problem anymore. Now I see what they did to him, they did exactly the same but it was harder for him to get away.”

“Tell us about the divorce Nick,” Rebecca promoted.

“I think all of us were relieved when it actually happened. They’d been threatening it for years, well before my career started, they used to have these huge rows were they would scream at each other, didn’t matter if it was three o’clock in the morning, things would get thrown and then they get us all together. They’d sit us in a room and ask us all who we wanted to live with, we’d have to choose then and there. I was twenty four when they eventually did it, I’d been long gone by then but they fought over Aaron and I wasn’t there for him. That was first time he realised that it wasn’t about their love for him it was about their love for his money. I was lucky I had the rest of the guys to support me and help me through but he didn’t have anybody,” He said his voice cracking slightly.

***

Nick wiped his eyes as the first tears began to fall, trying to sniff them back angrily. It was pathetic, he was over all this, it was in the past so why was he acting like a pussy now? Because he was at a time in his life where he was about to start his own family and instead of his parents being excited about the prospect of being grandparents like Izzy and Stuart were, he wasn’t even sure if his Mom and Dad even knew about his daughter and her impending arrival.

He wasn’t sure if he even wanted them to know. He didn’t want them to tarnish what was such a happy time in his life, then again they had managed to do that without even being there because he had barely spoken two words to Adie all afternoon. She didn’t deserve that just because he was hurting and pissed off at them, he was leaving in forty eight hours, he should have been relishing in the time left to spend with her instead of holding out in the nursery.

He applied the last coat to the wall and slowly stepped into the middle of the room, surveying his hard work, all the walls now painted the lilac colour that they had compromised on.

“She’s a girl Nick, pink is a girlie colour,” Adie had told him holding up the can of baby pink paint.

“It’s like a marshmallow and I hate pink,” He whined. “What about lemon?”

“It’s a cold colour, nursery’s need to be warm,” She told him as she placed the pink paint back knowing it was one war she wasn’t going to win.

“What about this one?” He giggled as he picked up the deep, blood red paint.

She shook her head at him as she laughed as well, “Yeah and she’ll turn into a Satan worshipper.”

“Hey what about purple?” He asked quickly almost like a light bulb had gone off in his head.

“I think that it the best idea you have had all day,” She smiled brightly at him.

Nick slowly made his way down the stairs and walked up behind Adie who was in the kitchen, making her jump slightly when he slid his arms around her middle and rested his chin on her shoulder.

“You scared me,” she told him as she continued to chop the vegetables in front of her.

“Sorry,” he laughed before placing a kiss to her cheek. “What are you cooking?”

“Rogan Josh and yes there will be plenty for you,” she told him before he could even ask.

“With all this spicy food you’re craving are you sure this baby is mine?” He joked.

“Well…there was this one night with Howie,” she said but ended up laughing. “You okay?” She asked when he made no move to stop holding her.

“I’m sorry about this afternoon,” he whispered.

“Don’t be,” she said as she turned around in his arms so she could see his face. “I know today was hard but I’m happy that you opened up.” She wrapped her arms around his neck a bit her lip a sure indication she wanted to ask something but was having second thoughts.

“What?” he asked.

“Can I…” she stuttered, “Can I ask you about a journal entry you wrote?” She asked shyly.

He sighed not knowing if he could take anymore opening up today but when he looked down at her chocolate brown eyes he nodded his head and let her lead him into the living room. He noticed the four journals he had given her about a three weeks ago piled on top of the coffee table, on elying haphazardly open. He sat own next to her and took the journal she handed him.

“Read that one for me,” she said pointing to the entry and she did what he asked, remembering writing it on the flight back when she had been sleeping soundly next to him.

August 12th 2007

It was our third anniversary yesterday. I surprised Adie by taking her down to the house in the Keys for a long weekend but its hasn’t gone as well as I thought it would. I bought her a new watch, earrings, took her out for a nice meal but all the time I knew there was only one thing on her mind.

She knows where I stand with the whole marriage thing, I told her after Alex and Rachel got engaged last year. She told me she was okay with it, that it wouldn’t make her love me any less but…since then something has changed between us.

I catch her looking at dresses in Bridal windows when we walk past them, walk in on her watching wedding shows on Discovery real lives, see how fake her smile is when someone else reveals that they are engaged.

I know she is hoping that I’ve changed my mind and last night, god it was so awful because I could see how her mind was working when I took her to dinner. It was almost as if she was just waiting for me to ask her, to get down on one knee in front of the whole restaurant and ask her to spend the rest of her life with me. I know she was crushed when I didn’t.

She thinks that I was asleep last night, that I didn’t hear her quiet tears but I was awake the whole time. I hate myself for doing this to her but it’s not what I want, I can’t…if I propose it’s going to be because she wants it and I know she I would never be able to go through with it, that would hurt her more.

I know I want to spend the rest of my life with her but it doesn’t seem enough. She wants more and right now I am giving her all that I can, if that’s not enough I don’t know what more I can do.

He finished reading the journal entry and placed it back on to the coffee table and looked to her questioningly.

“Did you mean it?” She asked.

He frowned not really understanding her question. “Mean what?”

“That you want to spend the rest of your life with me?” She asked softly and at that moment he knew she was afraid of what the answer would be.

“Yeah,” he nodded as he took her hand in his. “Yeah I meant it and I still want to.”

“I’m sorry,” she said running her thumb over his knuckles.

“Sorry for what?” he asked, again confused at what she was trying to get at.

“That should have been enough for me back then. I’m sorry I put so much pressure on you, on our relationship because at the end of the day sweetie all that matters is that we are together, and we’re happy and a ring and a piece of paper isn’t going to change the fact that we love each other, it isn’t going to make us love her any more then we already do,” she said placing her hand to her bump.

He smiled as he wrapped his arms around her and bought her closer to his chest, whispering into the hair, “I want you forever.”

Although she was happy at his words she couldn’t help but wonder if he meant it, after all the last time he had promised to love her forever he had given her the ring to symbolise that. “A Ma Vie De Coer Entier,” he had given her his whole heart for his whole life. Two months after he had given it to her, she had handed it back, so could she really be surprised that he wasn’t offering it up as willingly as before?

End Notes:
Please please review! You never know it mightinspre me to write more quickly!
In Dreams by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Nick calls Adie out on her dreams

It was the call that everybody on the team hated. The E.M.T’s were on their way with a two week old who was in full cardiac arrest, they had no idea of the actual down time but the Father had told them that he had found her when she hadn’t woken for her four o’clock feed. The final thing the E.M.T had handed over was that the baby had been very cold on their arrival.

It was more then likely a SIDS case, a cot death, a case they would call after only working on the child for a few minutes because if they were cold it meant they had been gone for a few hours and nothing they tried was going to get them back. Adie had seen many children die, but to have to stop working on a baby was one of the hardest things and what made it even harder was that she knew there would be no reason she or the Doctor would be able to give the parents for the cause of loosing their child.

Adie replaced the radio and pushed back from the chair as she stood, placing her hand to her stomach protectively, as though what was coming in was contagious. She sighed as walked to one of the exam rooms where the Attending was sleeping because there was no way the Resident was going to be able to cope with this, she didn’t even know if she could but unfortunately for her she didn’t have a choice. They only scheduled one paediatric nurse on the night shift and tonight it was her.

“James?” She asked as she turned on the light, making the doctor moan. “You need to get up, we’ve got a two week old in full cardiac arrest about to pull up.”

“Oh shit…I’ll be right there,” he replied hoarsely, sleep still evident in his voice.

Adie closed the door and walked to one of the resuscitation rooms, she quickly gowned up, pulled some gloves onto her hands, and gathered the necessary equipment, taking deep breath in when she heard the familiar rushing of a gurney. The door burst open and she released the breath as she quickly took over managing the airway, pushing small breathes into the lifeless body as the Attending transferred the infant onto the warmer. Once the baby as hooked up to their monitors it was clear that the earlier information had been correct, the flat line indicated asystole, there was no electrical activity, their tiny heart was completely still. Adie looked to James, both of them clearly thinking the same thing, it was futile. She has been gone for a while.

“Parents?” He whispered.

“Just Dad,” he said quietly nodding his head towards the door and when Adie looked up she couldn’t catch her breath, the ambu-bag falling from her grip when she saw him.

“You said she’d be okay, you told me before you left that she was okay, you said she was fine, I trusted you!” He accused pointing his finger at her.

Adie looked from him to the baby, her hand travelling to her stomach only to find it completely flat, empty. She watched helplessly as James shook his head and switched off the monitor.

“Time of death oh four thirty five,” he solemnly said.

“No. No James. You have to keep going,” she protested picking up the ambu- bag again and placing it to the babies face forcing futile breaths into it’s lungs.

“I trusted you!”

“Nick…I…,” She stammered, her heart now pounding in her chest, as tears fell freely. She knew this wasn’t right, ten minutes ago her bump had been there, her baby had been safely nestled inside of her and now, apparently the infant who had just been pronounced dead was hers. It just didn’t make sense.

“You said she was okay, you promised me she was okay and then you left. I trusted you!”

“Nick,” She sobbed.

“I trusted you Adie!” He yelled making his way towards her grabbing her by the shoulders, shaking her slightly with every word he said. “I trusted you Adie.”

“I’m sorry Nick.”

“I trusted you Adie!” He yelled shaking her again.

She closed her eyes to try and hold back the sobbing but it didn’t stop him from calling her name, from trying to get her attention and she didn’t know how much longer she would be able to apologise for, he wasn’t the only one who had lost her, she had too.

She was going to tell him that but when she opened her eyes she realised that he wasn’t opposite her, he wasn’t level with her, he was above her, his hand tenderly stroking her face, the look on his face one of concern instead of the anger it had previously exhibited. She quickly turned her head to the side and looked around, realising quickly that she was no longer in a resus room but her own bedroom and when she felt the strong kick from within side of her she realised it had all been some awful dream.

“You okay?” Nick asked giving her hand a squeeze.

“Fine,” she mumbled, closing her eyes as she fought back the tears.

“That was some dream you were having,” he told her softly, having to move to the side of her when she made a move to get up and out of the bed after she had spied that the clock read 05:59.

“Yeah,” she agreed, hitting the off button when the clock began to alarm.

“Are we going to talk about them?” He asked making sure to increase the volume of his voice when he spoke the last word, and that was when Adie realised she hadn’t been as quiet as she thought she had with the previous dreams. She closed her eyes, her back to him, she couldn’t deal with this now, she was barely awake and had to be at work in an hour, so she continued on into the bathroom.

She stood under the hot spray and tried to wash away the feelings of uneasiness inside of her, the panic that had risen in her chest when she thought the dead infant was her own, the hurt she had felt when Nick had looked at her with such hatred in his eyes. Yes it had just been a dream, and yes she prayed every night that nothing like that would ever happen to her baby, to her family that was just beginning, but one thing she knew she couldn’t change was Nick’s lack of trust. It had always been an issue for as long as she had known him and it had angered her before because she had always been there for him but now it scared her because after what she did, if he had done it to her she didn’t know if she would ever be able to trust him again. She shook the thoughts from her head as she rinsed the soap from her body and turned off the shower.

She wasn’t surprised when she spotted Nick leaning against the door, his deep stare enough to make her head drop to the floor as she tried to move past him. She knew he wouldn’t let her and her heart began to beat faster when his hand took a light grip at the top of her arm, his other hand cupping her chin, forcing her to look at him. His eyes still showed a hint of sleepiness to them but they were also full of concern.

“What happened?” he asked softly.

“Nothing. It was just a dream it doesn’t matter,” she tried unsuccessfully.

“When you’re having them nightly it does matter.”

“It was a stupid dream, I’m fine,” she told him, managing to pull her arm free as she stalked past him and into the bedroom. She knew he would follow her but Adie was surprised that he didn’t loose his temper with her, that he actually kept completely quiet and watched her dress from the seat he took on the edge of the bed. She pulled on a pair of sweat pants and a tank top, the only comfortable things she knew she would want after her shift had ended and threw her bag over her shoulder as she made her way towards the door. She stopped when he grabbed her hand though.

“Call in sick,” he told her.

“I can’t,” she sighed, trying to pull herself free from him but Nick just held on tighter.

“I’m leaving tomorrow,” he reminded.

“I know,” she said sadly.

“I was there wasn’t I?” he asked confusing her slightly.

“What?”

“In the dream? I was there.”

She nodded, “Yeah.”

“Tell me about it,” he pleaded.

“It was a stupid dream and I’m fine,” she tried again.

He still didn’t buy it. “You’ve been having them every night, and you’re obviously not fine because you’re still shaking from it,” he told her his hand lifting her trembling one to her eye level. She had hoped he had missed that, had hoped that it was just her insides trembling and not the outsides.

She pulled her hand from his quickly, “I’m just cold.”

He shook his head, his eyes narrowing before he held his own hands up in defeat, “Fine. Just go.”

“Nick-” She tried.

“No you obviously don’t want to talk to me about it so just go to work,” he said as he turned and walked into the bathroom, the bang of the door being shut making her jump.

She stared at the closed door for a few moments before she made her way towards the stairs. She angrily wiped the tears away when she finally sat down in the car and even toyed with going back inside to talk to him. He wouldn’t understand though and it would only end up with another argument, he was leaving tomorrow, she didn’t want to part on bad terms, by the time she would get home later, he would have forgotten about it. That way they would be able to spend their last night together happy. She got to the end of the driveway an indicated left but at the last moment she turned right, knowing that there was no way she was going to be able to concentrate at work.

***

Nick knew that if he didn’t walk away he would end up exploding at her, as much as he wanted to he knew it wouldn’t solve anything, in actual fact it would do just the opposite because it would push her further away. That was why he had walked into the bathroom without so much as a second glance when she had called his name. He sat on the edge of the tub and counted to ten and when he heard the front door slam shut he made his way back into the bedroom and watched her leave from the window. Wondering if work had just been an excuse when he watched her drive off in the opposite direction.

He had a feeling that the dreams were about him, she had been having them ever since she had returned. He had let them go at first, putting it down to the stress that had been caused from their separation, then from the emotions that had been released from therapy but last night? Last nights had been by far the worst she had had. She had been near on sobbing, her breath coming out ragged as she had chanted over and over again “I’m sorry Nick.”

It had sent chills up his spine because all he could imagine was her leaving again, her apology being for that. He looked over at the suitcases that he had packed last night and for the first time in his life he found himself not wanting to get back out on the road. All he wanted to do was stay with Adie forever but it wasn’t for the right reasons, it wasn’t because he loved her so much that he couldn’t bare to be parted from her, no, it was because he didn’t trust her enough to still be around when he returned in four weeks. If he stayed he could prevent that from happening or she would at least have to deal with him face to face if she wanted to leave again. He wouldn’t be subjected to the awful feeling of being abandoned yet again in his life.

He looked over at the rumbled bed but knew trying to get back to sleep now wouldn’t be easy because all he would be able to think about would be Adie. He spied the phone on his bed side table and sighed heavily he hated doubting her but he had to know because if she had been lying to him about having to go to work today he wouldn’t hold out much hope of her being there to greet him when he returned from the tour, at least this was he wouldn’t be surprised when she didn’t.

The phone rang but was hastily answered after about ten seconds.

“ER.”

“Er…Is Adie there?” He asked, not recognising the voice on the other end of the line.

“Patient?” The women asked quickly.

“No Nurse. Adrianna Jones,” he corrected.

“Oh Adrianna? She called in sick about five minutes ago, can I take a message?”

He found himself smiling as he replied, “No I’ll catch her later, Thanks.”

***

This smell reminded her of her childhood so much. It was musty, oily she could almost feel the tiny splints of wood that her father had sanded travelling up her nose. He hadn’t used the sander in over six months but it was a smell, a feeling she knew she would never forget and she hoped that her own daughter would feel like this in years to come. It might not be from sitting in an over crowded garage watching Nick fix up an old Mustang, it would more then likely be from sitting in a recording studio watching him work his magic and create music but she still hoped it would become her place to go if she ever had a problem.

She had known as soon as she had woken that she would not have been of any use at work, she had planned on calling in sick so she could spend the last full twenty four hours with Nick anyway but the dream had put an end to that. She couldn’t stay in the house with him knowing that all he would want would be to talk about it. Yes she didn’t need to talk about it but with him? She didn’t know how to broach the subject, not when he was so close to leaving anyway and so she found herself in the place where she had always found the most comfort, her parents home, talking to the guy who she knew would offer her the best advice.

Adie had always been closer to her Father then her Mother. He was a little more laid back about things, would let her get away with more, whereas her Mom was a lot like she was, very driven, goal orientated wouldn’t settle for less, they had clashed a lot during her teenage years and again she could see the same thing happening with her own child. Then she thought about what Nick had said during therapy.

“They’d sit us in a room and ask us all who we wanted to live with, we’d have to choose then and there.”

If he could never trust her again, would their daughter have to choose? Would she grow up in a house hold as volatile as what he had done? Would she end up in therapy like the pair of them had? Would their daughter hate her as much as Nick seemed to detest his own Mother?

“Should I just end it now?” She asked the pair of legs that were sticking out from underneath the car. That was enough to make her Dad stop what he was doing and move out so he could see her. He stood so that he was level with his daughter who was currently sat on his work bench.

“Quit while you’re ahead?” He asked as he wiped the oil off his hands with a dirty rag.

“It’s not quitting,” Adie protested.

“You’ve just told me he doesn’t trust you and I’m sorry honey but what more can you expect? You left him, you let him come home to an empty house, to a note. I know you were unhappy but there were other ways to go about leaving him.”

“You don’t think I know that? You don’t think I hate myself for what I did to him? I was coward, I knew I couldn’t do it face to face because I knew he would talk me out of it,” she told him.

“Well to me it almost sounds as if you never wanted to leave in the first place. If he could talk you of it…if you have ever wanted to do something one hundred per cent Adie no one could ever talk you out of it you’re too much like your Mother in that respect,” he said with a roll of his eyes making her laugh a little.

“I just don’t know what to do Dad, I don’t see how this relationship can work without trust and I don’t want my baby to grow up in a hostile environment like he did. If…doing this now…she won’t know any different,” she said the hurt evident in her voice.

“You can’t make this decision based upon your child. If you want to do this, if you want to leave him it has to be because you don’t love him, and I really don’t think that’s true. So do you love him?” He asked.

She had to look away from her Fathers eyes and as she wiped her tears away chuckling when she said “I love him so much that I don’t care when he farts against my leg in the mornings when we’re in bed.”

“Then there is your answer honey, a slightly disturbing one, but it’s your answer. You just have to work at gaining his trust back,” he advised her.

“How?” She asked.

“By being honest with me, by talking to me.”

Adie quickly looked to the door that lead to the house and sure enough he was stood there, his hands in his jeans pockets. She could feel the blush creeping into her cheeks at being caught.

“How long have you been there?” She asked.

“Long enough,” he told her, smiling at Stuart.

“You called him didn’t you?” She said looking to her Father who was just about to answer when Nick spoke up.

“No he didn’t and neither did your Mom.”

“Then how…you called work didn’t you? You were checking up on me,” she said finally realising it was the only way he could have known she wasn’t at work.

“Honestly? Yeah I did. Now I’ve been honest with you, it’s your turn, come on, lets go and talk,” he told her holding out his hand to her.

***

It was only nine am but the heat from the sun was already warm and Nick knew that by midday Adie would have to seek not only the shade that the house had to offer but also the air conditioning, the extra heat from the ever growing bump in front of her too much to handle with the heat of summer. That was why he had to do this now, while it was still cool enough outside. He kept hold of her hand as he took her to the large willow tree that was situated at the end of her parents back yard.

He hadn’t heard as much of her conversation with Stuart as he had led her to believe but what he had heard had been enough. He knew, like her, that trust between the two of them was an issue, she didn’t think it could work between them if he didn’t trust her but right now he just couldn’t do that. He needed to make her understand why.

Nick let go of her hand and sat against the large trunk of the tree, signalling for her to sit between his legs and lean back against him. She did just that, her hands coming to rest upon his when he placed them on her rounded stomach.

“Tell me about the dream. Is it the same one?” he asked softly.

“It was until last night,” she whispered.

“What was the other one about?”

“You taking the baby leaving me,” she said quickly. She closed her eyes and could see it as clear as day in front of her, she knew exactly what would happening next, down to what he was wearing, what he would say, how he would look when the door shut.

“How did it make you feel?” he asked.

“The dream?” She clarified.

“Yeah.”

“I felt like I couldn’t breathe, I felt like my world was collapsing in around me and there was nothing I could do to stop it. I would wake up with my heart pounding in my chest, feeling sick to my stomach until I would look over and find you in the bed with me,” she told him.

He shifted at her words until she took the hint and moved so she was sat beside him, he needed to make her understand, needed to make her see how much pain she had caused him and he couldn’t do that if she was nestled safely in his arms. He needed to break away from her for this, he needed to be cruel to be make her understand and his face must have reflected that because he could already see the tears in her eyes. He wouldn’t stop though, he wouldn’t cave because this was making her feel uncomfortable and so he set his jaw and could feel the frown that consumed his whole face when he spoke his next words..

“Close your eyes,” he told her and even though he knew she didn’t want to she did. “Now instead of looking over and seeing me lying next to you I want you to imagine what it would be like to walk into the bathroom and see all my stuff gone, to walk into the closet and find my half empty of all my clothes. How does that make you feel?” he asked harshly.

He didn’t miss the tears that spilt from her closed eyes, “I’m sorry.”

“I don’t want to hear sorry Adrianna,” again he didn’t miss the wince when he called her by her full name, “I want to hear how seeing an empty closet, an empty bathroom, knowing that I walked away without an explanation makes you feel.”

She took a shaky breath, all the while keeping her eyes closed as she told him what he wanted to hear, “Like you never gave a shit about me, like I’m worthless. It makes me feel empty and alone and…and…” she couldn’t carry on when the sobs racked her body. Nick hesitated for a few seconds before his heart overruled his head and he wrapped his arms around her.

“Could you trust me after that?” he asked when she calmed down after a few minutes.

“No,” she admitted as she wiped her eyes and looked up to him.

“I’ve never been able to give my trust to people quickly Adie. I’ve had to be guarded to protect myself from getting hurt and I know you don’t really understand that but too many people have hurt me, I’ve let too many people in who have used my emotions against me, used my trust only to throw it all back in my face. You don’t know what it’s like to know people are only hanging out with you, being nice to you because of the amount of money you earn, because of the power they think you have in the industry. People like you Adie because of the person you are, not because of the job you do, it’s not that way with me,” he told her but he ensured his eyes never met hers as she shared this with her.

“I love you for you. I always have. I thought you were a pompous stuck up asshole when I first saw you in the ER, some pretentious brat with too much money. To be completely honest with you, I hate Nick Backstreet but I know I’ve really done damage to Nick Carter, to our relationship and if I could take it back I would,” she told him, grabbing his chin so he would have to look at her tear stained face.

“I know you love me for me but I think I am still having a hard time excepting that because you’re the first person in my life outside the guys, my family and Chris who ever has. But you have hurt me,” He whispered trying to keep his emotions in check.

“I know and I want to make it right, I just don’t know how,” Adie admitted.

“It’s not going to happen over night.”

“I know that, just tell me what to do to make it better,” she asked taking his hand.

“Just be here when I get home.”

End Notes:
Let me know what you think!
I'm Walking Away by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

News of Adie's pregnancy hits the LD message board and causes a lot of trouble

DISCLAIMER: None of the screen names are based on real ones - so don't take it personally if a screename you use crops up, it was just random bsb releated ones I could think of!

Nick and Alex had been one of the first to arrive at the hotel in Newfoundland but neither had really said a word to the other as they headed towards their own rooms to check in with their families. Alex had been particularly quiet on the flight and Nick knew it was because he was having a hard time adjusting to not only travelling without Rachel but being so far from Max when he was only a few weeks old. Rachel had decided that travelling with Max at the early stage of his life was going to be too difficult and with Alex in agreement she was going to fly out for the last week of this leg, but inside Nick knew it was killing his best friend. It was bad enough that Nick was away from Adie when all the exciting things in her pregnancy were happening, he couldn’t imagine how it must have felt to be separated from a newborn.

He fell down against the comfy bed and closed his eyes thinking about the plans they were already drawing up for a South American leg of the tour. It was due to commence in February of the following year, the baby would only be three months old and he was certain that Adie would not want to follow, not with her being that young. It was going to kill him, to be that far apart from the pair of them for two and a half weeks, it was just about bearable now being so far from Adie. This was only the beginning as well.

They were already in talks about getting straight back in the studio, about a quick turn around for a new release while the momentum was still going and a new album always equalled a tour. It would mean more time away from home, more time away from his young family, less chance to see her develop and reach important milestones. Did he really want to be the Dad she could only speak to on the telephone before she went to bed? The type of Dad who would see her take her first step on a video tape? Be the kind of Dad who would lavish expensive gifts on her because he was never around to show her attention? Was it even fair to let Adie raise their child on her own?

He pinched at the bridge of his nose to try and stem the unmistakable pang in his head that would soon turn into a tension headache. Nick knew there were two ways of going about rectifying this problem, he either took the route Brian had or the one that Kevin had chosen and for the first time he finally realised how difficult the decision to leave must have been on his friend. He adored his job, hell he wouldn’t even call it a job, it was his life but at the end of the day it wasn’t going to last forever, his family would. Adie had voiced her opinions about how Brian and Leighanne had chosen to raise Baylee and even though she adored the child she didn’t agree with how he was so visible in the public eye, how exposed he seemed to be at sound checks, how he was tutored and didn’t really seem to socialize with other children his own age. So really it was a no brainer, she would not want to raise a child on the road and deep down when he thought about it Nick himself wasn’t so keen on the idea. He had started work at an early age, hadn’t really been able to socialize with kids his own age and as he had gotten older he had resented his parents for that.

He loved what he did though, he loved being on the stage and entertaining and he was not ready to give that all up. He was only twenty eight most people would still have other thirty odd years of working life left, sure he had enough money to live comfortably for the rest of his life but it wasn’t about that. It was about entertaining and doing something and making people smile, not just sitting at home watching the days pass by. He knew it was going to be a huge argument waiting to happen but they both had enough problems to deal with, throwing all that into the mix would just be too much and he knew for now he was going to have to push it all to one side and hope that when the time came the answer would be clear.

He picked up the phone, wanting to hear Adie’s voice but instead of calling her cell he hit the call button for the home phone. It rang three times before clicking into answer phone mode and when he heard his own voice asking to leave a message he felt his heart begin to race, she wouldn’t have done it to him again, would she? He hadn’t even been gone twelve hours. He was just about to hang up when he heard the message abruptly stop and her breathless voice on the line.

“Hello?”

“It’s me,” he answered, a small smile creeping to his lips, his heart rate returning to normal.

“Hey sexy, you just get there?” She asked.

“Yeah. You okay?” He asked his voice slightly shaky.

“I’m good, are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” he replied a little too quickly.

“You sound funny,” she pointed out.

“I’m good.”

Silence greeted him from the other end of the phone and he knew if he could see her face that her eyes would have narrowed, her head would be tilted to the side and she would be giving him her best “don’t try and bullshit me look.”

She sighed before saying, “I was grocery shopping, I have to leave the house sometime Nick.”

“I wasn’t-” He didn’t get a chance to say the rest because she cut him off.

“Then why didn’t you call my cell? You never call me on the house phone baby,” She said. She didn’t sound angry or pissed off, if anything she sounded hurt and he almost felt ashamed of himself for not trusting her, for not giving her the benefit of the doubt but then he remembered she hadn’t really done anything to gain that back. If she was there when he got home then she could start to earn it back but until then he had to play it safe and if it meant always calling her on the house phone then she would have to deal with it.

“You still there?” She asked.

“Yeah,” he mumbled.

“I love you,” she told him softly and he managed a small smile.

“I love you too. How’s the bump?” he asked.

“Active!” She exclaimed with a laugh, “She’s been kicking up a storm today.”

“Yeah. You feeling okay?” He asked.

“I’m good, psyching myself up for work tonight,” She groaned.

“Grave yard shift again? You were on nights just before I left,” he remembered.

“I swapped with Claire, she’s got a romantic weekend away and I am going to be left cleaning up the puke in her wake. Did I ever tell you how much I love my job?” She joked making him laugh again.

“Oh I can see why, who doesn’t like cleaning up vomit and shit at five in the morning.”

“Don’t forget about sputum,” she sing-songed down the phone, knowing how just the thought would make him dry heave.

“You’re evil,” he whined.

“What? Suctioning custard coloured sputum up from an ET tube is so satisfying at that time of the morning, makes you hungry for apple pie and custard,” she joked, laughing hilariously when she could hear him gagging from the other end of the phone.

“You’re totally sick!” he exclaimed.

“It’s gross a job but someone has to do it baby. Nobody said saving lives was glamorous, although I might wear a pair if scrubs to the next awards thing we go to,” she rambled.

“Start a new trend?” he laughed.

“A new, more comfy trend.”

“Death to the guy who invented stilettos?”

“Absolutely, it could only be a man who invented them,” she told him. “Is it just you and Alex there, or have the other guys turned up yet?

“Just me and Alex, Brian isn’t due to land for another few hours and I have no idea what time Howie is due in.”

“So are you just going to chill tonight then?” She asked.

“Yeah, what are you doing?” he asked, hearing lots of noise coming from her end of the phone.

“Putting the groceries away and making dinner,” She told him.

“What are you going to have for dinner?”

“Chilli,” she answered with a giggle, knowing he would make a comment.

“Seriously what is it with all the spicy food?” he laughed.

“I don’t know I just have a hankering for it all the time. I finally finished the jar of Tabasco sauce that has been sat in the cupboard since I moved in with you and since then I’ve had two more jars, I’m buying it weekly,” she giggled.

“I suppose it’s better then you being addicted to kippers like Rach was,” he remembered. The stench used to be so bad, and it lingered for days on end, especially when you were in a small confined bus.

“Oh god, I don’t know how you managed to put up with that. Is Alex okay?” She asked.

“He’s really quiet. I think he’s missing them,” Nick mentioned finally moving so he was sat up on the bed.

“Are you missing me?” She asked.

“Depends. Are you missing me?”

“I think I’ll miss you tomorrow morning when I’m in need of a good foot rub,” she joked with a laugh.

“Jee thanks, I love you to,” he joked back.

“I’m kind of glad I’m doing a night shift because it means I don’t have to go to bed alone tonight, does that answer your question?” She asked.

“Don’t work to hard okay?”

“Oh trust me I plan on sitting on my ass answering the phones. I should go,” she said.

“I love you, I’ll call you tomorrow?”

“How about I call you because you’ll only call when I’m still asleep,” she reminded.

“Okay sweetie,” he laughed.

“Love you,” she said before she hung up.

***

Three days into the tour and the night insomnia that usually consumed Nick had started. It had always been the same and when they used to share rooms it always drove his room mate insane because he could never just lay in bed quietly, he would either try and start a conversation, or play on a games console and even though the sound would be muted Nick’s cries of “Die you alien scum!” would always wake the other person up. He still never seemed to manage to get the room to himself though, it always seemed to be Kevin or Howie as they were the eldest.

He looked over at the clock again and groaned when he saw that it was only ten minutes from the last time that he looked. It was useless just lying there because he would only get more pissed off with himself, which in turn would only make him less sleepy. Nick pushed the covers back angrily and walked to the small desk on the other side of the room, booting up his laptop he sent Adie a quick text message on his phone asking if he could call her.

He quickly received an answer.

“I’ll ring you in ten. Custard secretions are beckoning!! LOL! :P”

He shook his head in disgust as he logged on and checked his email, not that there was really much new there due to the fact he had only checked in three hours previously. He clicked on his favourites list and when his eyes fell upon the Live daily tab he double clicked it, wanting to see what the fans though about this leg of the tour. He wasn’t prepared for one of the topics of discussion when the page loaded though and as soon as he saw the heading, “Nick is going to be a Dad!” He double clicked on it and read what the page had to offer.

Nicksbabygirl88 @ 23:40 on 8/2/2008:

OMG! So my best friend Claire broke her wrist today and you will never guess who treated her? Only Nick’s girlfriend Adie! That’s not the best bit either! Claire said she spilt coffee down her scrubs and when she took off the top her tank top was pulled tight round a bump - like a baby bump! So I guess Nick is going to be a Daddy!

 

BSBFOREVER @ 23:45 on 8/2/2008:

Are you sure it’s her? I mean she could have been anyone? I wouldn’t go spreading something like this if it’s not true.

Mrs_N_Carter @ 23:46 on 8/2/2008:

I bet she just put on loads of weight. I don’t know what Nick sees in her, I always thought she was butt ugly, if she is pregnant I hope the baby takes after Nick and gets his looks rather then hers!

BSBFOREVER @ Mrs_N_Carter @23:52 on 8/2/2008:

Is there really any need for that? She’s a human being after all, a person with feelings, how would you like it if someone called you butt ugly just because of who they were dating? You need to grow up!

Muse @ 23:55 on 8/2/2008:

I heard that Nick dumped her because she cheated on him while he was touring, it’s probably not even his.

Destiny1986 @ 2359 on 8/2/2008:

I heard the same thing. Maybe she is using the pregnancy to trap him, what a bitch. I bet her and her trailer trash sister were in cahoots to trap Nick and A.J, they’ve both fallen for it like suckers! Nick needs to wake up and smell the coffee before it’s too late!

Mrs_N_Carter @ Destiny 1986 @ 00:04 on 8/3/2008:

18 years, 18 years, And on her 18th birthday, he found out it wasn't his?

Destiny1986 @ Mrs_N_Carter @ 00:07 on 8/3/2009:

LMFAO!!!!!!!! It’s so true though!

BSBFOREVER @ 00:05 on 8/3/2009:

I can’t believe you call yourselves fans, more like stalkers! Why would you think that Nick would ever want to go out with you? You do realise that he has said before that he reads these boards! You’re probably giving him a big laugh right now. There is still no proof that she is even pregnant!

Nicksbabygirl88 @ BSBFOREVER @ 00:10 on 8/3/2009:

You want proof? Well here is your proof! She works at the general in Nashville if you want to see with your own eyes!

Nick scrolled on a little further and that was when the grainy picture, probably taken from a cell phone, loaded onto the screen. Sure enough it was Adie at the nurses station, her scrub top in her left hand, the white tank top she had been wearing underneath stretched across her rounded stomach, making it quite obvious to everyone around that she was carrying a child. He quickly closed the tap, making the picture disappear. He placed his head in his hands as he swallowed an angry scream. She should have been more careful, why didn’t she go into the break room to do that? Her scrubs gave her more then enough space to conceal her bump, she didn’t even look pregnant in them when the top was on.

He shook his head as he lifted it from his hands. It wasn’t her fault, she never asked for this kind of attention, but she had gotten it whether she liked it or not and now he had to tell her that his fans now knew where she worked. He eyed his phone, it had been at least ten minutes since he had sent her the message, surely she would be finished now? He picked it up and hit the speed dial for her number and bought the phone to his ear waiting for her to pick up.

“Hey baby I was just about to call you back. Can’t sleep?” She asked.

“Not really. I uh…there’s something I need to talk to you about. Can you take a break now?” he asked.

“Yeah I’m in the break room now. What’s wrong?” She asked cautiously.

Nick closed his eyes before continuing, “Did you spill coffee down yourself earlier?”

“Mike spilt coffee down me actually,” she said before she realised what he had asked, “How do you know about that? Are you here?” She asked excitedly, making Nick cringe.

“No I’m not,” He hesitated before he quickly said, “The fans know.”

“Know what?” She asked.

“They know that you’re pregnant and they know where you work,” he said slowly, waiting from a reaction from her. When, after a minute she was still silent, he asked, “Are you still there?”

“How?”

“You treated a girl named Claire with a broken wrist, she managed to get a picture of you on her phone.”

“It’s all over the internet isn’t it?” She asked.

“Yeah,” he answered.

“So what do we do now? We’ve never really talked about this,” she asked him.

“I think it’s going to be the only question I’m going to get at sound check and I’m going to answer truthfully if that’s okay with you?”

“Well we can’t keep her a secret forever can we? Not with Backstreet CIA anyway. So what was said?”

“What?” he asked but he knew what she was getting at.

“What did they have to say about it?” She asked her tone low.

“They were cool about it,” he lied but when she laughed down the phone at him he knew she hadn’t bought it.

“Liar. I should just steer clear of any message boards right?” She asked.

“Yeah baby you should. I love you.”

“I know you do, I love you to. I have to go okay?”

“Alright. I’ll call you tomorrow,” he told her but she had already hung up.

***

It had been a hectic few days since the news of her pregnancy had broken, the media seemed to go into a frenzy about it, the news had even made the covers of three national magazines, the entertainment sections of both local and national newspapers and seemed to be on constant rotation on E News. It was like the nation were expecting the birth of royalty and to be quite frank it was all a bit too much for Adie.

True to his word Nick had answered the very first question that had been asked at the sound check the following day. She hadn’t watched the You tube video yet but according to Rachel there were about seven different videos, from seven slightly different angles all with close to several hundred thousand hits. Adie had naively hoped that things would start to settle down after that but things just seemed to worse, to the point where she dreaded turning on the TV or logging on to check her email. The temptation was just too much, and she had looked at one of the sites. She had blamed the tears that had fallen on her hormones, but in reality the comments had gotten to her, just like they had when her and Nick had first started dating. People could be damn right cruel, would scrutinise you for every tiny detail and for what? For just trying to be happy? For being with Nick?

He couldn’t win either. He changed one tiny thing and there would be threads devoted to it for days, trying to dissect why he had chosen to do that, why he had chosen to have a white range rover when Green was his favourite colour and black was more “Trendy.” When he had first started losing all the weight fans who had previously called him fat begged for him to put the weight back on because he was looking to gaunt. You just couldn’t please these people and Adie understood that, you could be the nicest person in the world to them and they would stab you in the back soon as look it you given half the chance.

The final straw had hit two hours previously. It had been her first day shift back after her nights, and she had only been three hours into the shift when she got the impression that things were being hidden from her by her work mates. She had soon found out what that was when she walked passed curtain area four.

“I told you I want to be treated by a female nurse,” The girl had said.

“You refused the last female nurse that treated you,” Mike angrily said as Adie walked into the opposite area to set up a bed for the next waiting patient.

“Well what about her?” Adie heard the girl say and instantly she knew, she wasn’t in the ER because she was sick, she was there because it was where “Nick Carter’s knocked up girlfriend” worked. From the way her friends had been acting Adie finally realised that she wasn’t the only one who had tried that little tactic either.

“She’s busy,” Mike said.

Adie turned quickly and smiled brightly at the girl who couldn’t have been a day past eighteen before saying, “It’s fine Mike, you take over here for me and I can see Miss…”

“Spaulding,” the girl finished with a grin.

“Spaulding,” Adie replied, trying to hide the chuckle that almost escaped her lips.

“You sure?” He asked sceptically.

“It’s fine,” she winked as she took the chart from him and pulled the curtain around. “So is Jane your first name?” Adie asked sarcastically as she sat opposite the girl who was in the gown.

“No it’s Michelle,” she bit back.

“So Michelle what brings you to the ER today?”

“I was just wondering if getting pregnant behind my boyfriends back to trap him into staying with me is an okay thing to do?” She hissed lowly, making sure that no one else around would be able to overhear.

Adie smiled warmly at the girl, she was not going to let this little bitch get to her. It wasn’t worth the hassle of costing her, her dignity and possibly her career if she said and did what she felt like doing and so instead she placed the clipboard on the gurney beside the girl.

“Well I don’t have any experience in that, considering my partner is thrilled that I’m carrying his child he wants to stick around for the pair of us. How many times have been in to try and see me Michelle?” Adie asked.

“Four,” she answered easily.

“What were you hoping to achieve? Do you really think that I’ll run home in tears to Nick? That he’ll think Oh my god Michelle and all her cronies are right I must go and marry her now? You don’t know the real him and you never will, so I suggest that you grow up because one day you’ll pick on the wrong person and you’ll end seriously hurt,” Adie warned.

“Are you threatening me?”

“Oh no sweetie I wouldn’t do that,” Adie smiled.

“We can make your life a living hell, we can make it so that it will just be easier to leave him then deal with shit we throw at you,” She spat.

“Honey? I’m an ER nurse I’m used to shit being thrown at me. It’s you and your immature little friends who should watch out because if any of you bother me here or at home again I’ll make psych believe that you’re not only having suicidal thoughts but homicidal ones and trust me you’ll be in that secure lock for a long time,” She threatened.

“You can’t do that,” The girl said slightly unsurely, her face turning slightly pale.

Adie just smirked as she stood, pulled the curtain back and hollered, “Mike can I get psych down here Stat?”

Michelle glared at Adie for a few seconds before pulling the curtain round so she could change and she quickly reappeared trying to make a quick exit but the desk clerk stood in her way, obviously believing what Adie had earlier said about psych. Adie laughed as Michelle looked back at her petrified.

“It’s okay Charlie let her go. Take care Michelle,” Adie waved.

That part had felt so good, it was what had occurred after that Adie was pissed off about. Mike had pulled her aside, apparently word had gotten back to management about the sudden increase in time wasters in the ER, they were quite rightly linking it to Adie’s news and they weren’t happy with the effect it was having down in the pit. They had suggested that she take a leave of absesnce until it cleared up.

“You’re suspending me?” She asked angrily.

“No we’re not suspending you, they are just suggesting you use some of your vacation time before you go on maternity leave. You’ve still got four weeks to take this year and you’re going to end up loosing them because you only really have two months before you leave to have the baby,” Mike tried to reason.

“Wow…since when do management remind staff about leave they have to take? This is bullshit Mike and you know it. I’m being punished for something that’s not my fault,” she argued.

“I know Adie. I don’t want to have to do this anymore then you want to but she hasn’t been the only one, we’ve seen our time wasters increase by twenty percent since this news broke, its not just a coincidence. It’s just for a few weeks.”

“What if I say no?” She asked crossing her arms over her chest.

“Then they are going to move you to a different department.”

“They can’t do that.”

“Yeah they can, you signed the old contract which states that if any time your expertise is needed in a different department they right to move you, as long you have the necessary skills and it doesn’t increase or decrease your contracted hours,” he told her.

“So where are they planning on moving me if I don’t agree to vacation,” She said with air quotes.

“Peads outpatients,” he said softly.

“You’ve got to be fucking kidding me,” she hissed. “I’m an intensive care nurse or an ER nurse Mike. I can’t just stand around and weigh and height kids and stand in the back of a room while they discuss things with a doctor. That’s not me.”

“Then take the vacation.”

She couldn’t do this, she couldn’t sit around and let the little bitches ruin her life just because she was with him. They weren’t just attacking her mentally, they had now affected her career, her way to make her own living, they had in essence taken her independence from her. She had known from the start that being with him, that being in the public eye was not going to be easy but she hadn’t realised it was going to be as had as it had just become. She was twenty nine, a grown woman and she could barely handle it, how did she expect a child to live like it? It just wasn’t fair.

She heard her cell phone go off as she zipped her bag shut and placed it on top of the case before she reached for the vibrating phone. She saw Nick’s name flash up on the caller I.D but instead of pressing the accept call button, she hit ignore and after that she switched the phone off. She yanked the shoulder bag up and hauled it over her shoulder as she carried the heavy bag out to the car and for the second time that year she let the heavy oak door slam behind her, and again for the second time that year Adie didn’t look back.

Not even once.

 

I’m walking away from the troubles in my life
I’m walking away oh to find a better day
I’m walking away from the troubles in my life
I’m walking away oh to find a better day
I’m walking away

 

Song Credit: Craig David - I’m walking away

End Notes:
Keep coming with the great reviews guys!
Use Somebody by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Nick goes out of his mind when Adie goes AWOL

The day was warm, not a cloud in the baby blue sky, the sun shining brightly from above, a perfect day to chill out in the sun, to let your worries leave whilst enjoying the rays, but instead of doing that Adie had cooped herself up in her car. She had no idea where she was headed, at first she had convinced herself that she was just taking a short trip, maybe a couple of days with Rachel, just enough to make her see that life with Nick and everything that went with it could be bearable. She couldn’t fathom why she had driven straight past her sisters home but she had. When she did it three more times, past three more houses she knew she had a problem, maybe Nashville was her problem. She just needed to get away, just out of the state, just for a few days, that was all it was going to be, a mini vacation, just some time to herself.

She quickly switched off the radio when the “entertainment news” started to broadcast, the opening headline being about her pregnancy. There were people starving to death in Africa, troops were dying in Iraq but all people seemed to care about was that she was carrying Nick’s child. She had worked so hard to stay out of the tabloids, to not be a part of that side of his life because she knew that wasn’t the real him, she didn’t like that side of him, he was too much of a show off, too cocky, but that had all changed because of one stupid fan. It made her so angry that a fan who couldn’t keep their mouth shut had given away where she worked, had leaked it to all the fans, sure the thread had been closed pretty quickly after that but it was too late, the damage had already been done. Just because the thread was closed didn’t mean people couldn’t email others with the details. She had been dating him for near on three years and she had worked damn hard to make sure details like that didn’t escape to the media, sure they knew she was a nurse but there were hundreds of possible places she could have worked. If this effected her choice in work environment she was not going to be best pleased and maybe it was like Michelle had said, maybe it would just be easier to let the little cronies win. Maybe then she could go back to having a normal life.

Oh no, I see,
A spider web is tangled up with me,
And I lost my head,
The thought of all the stupid things I'd said,
Oh no, what's this?
A spider web, and I'm caught in the middle,
So I turned to run,
The thought of all the stupid things I've done,

I never meant to cause you trouble,
And I never meant to do you wrong,
And I, well if I ever caused you trouble,
O no, I never meant to do you harm.

 

She had always hated the fact that they could never seem to just be normal people when they went out anywhere. She always felt on edge, she was always too aware of her surroundings, like she was just waiting for him to get recognised so that their night would have to be cut short. It had been worse when they were in L.A, but since it had become common knowledge that Nick had moved to Nashville, that one of their favourite night spots was The Tin Roof, you could pretty much guarantee there would be a fan there most weekend nights, just to see if he would turn up. She wasn’t stupid, she knew that without the fans he wouldn’t have the success that he had been blessed with, he wouldn’t have the lavish lifestyle that he shared with her, hell they probably would never have met and it made her wonder whether her life would have been a lot simpler if they hadn’t. After all she had never asked for all this attention.

 

Adie saw the signs for the airport and knew that if she was really going to be able to clear her head, that she would have to be as far away from Nashville as she could. She parked the car in a daze and headed towards the main terminal, dragging her case behind her. Sitting in the terminal for an hour didn’t help her in her decision about where to go and so she fished around in her purse for a dime, heads she stayed in the states, tales she left. She flicked the coin and watched as it landed on her hand.

“Tales, okay so somewhere out of the states,” she mumbled to herself.

She looked to the departures information, narrowing it down to international flights that were leaving within the next hour and half. It gave her an option of four possible destinations. London, “Yeah like I’m going to head back there,” She thought to herself as she continued to scan the board, Brazil, Canada or Mexico. She mentally jotted down the airline company of the destination she decided on and headed towards the sales desk, deep down knowing she was making a mistake.


O no, I see,
A spider web and it's me in the middle,
So I twist and turn,
But here am I in my little bubble

They spun a web for me,
They spun a web for me,
They spun a web for me.

 

She wasn’t the one to blame this time. This time it was definitely for the best because she wasn’t putting herself first, she was putting their daughter first, his fans had made the decision for her.

***

Nick knew she had cancelled the call because it just cut straight off without going to voicemail. He didn’t think she was working but if she had been called in unexpectedly it made sense that she would have forgotten to turn the ringer off and would have had to cancel the call. She always called him back though, or at least sent him a text, she always found the time, even when it got crazy busy she would always text him even if it was just one word “busy”.

He hadn’t even received that, and that was what first started to get Nick worried. It had been four hours since he had tried calling her cell and all through the press conference and sound check he had been so preoccupied with his phone that Howie had eventually taken it away from him.

“Can I have my phone now?” Nick asked like some school boy who had had his favourite toy taken away from him.

Howie looked to him disapprovingly before he reached into his back pocket and handed the item to Nick. “I know you miss her but it doesn’t look very professional does it?”

“I’m worried about her, I tried calling and she hasn’t called me back or text me,” he tried to explain.

“She’s probably busy man. You’re not going to turn into a bunny boiler are you?” He joked with a laugh.

“It’s not like her,” Nick said as he punched in Adie’s number and bought the phone to his ear. He could only sigh when he got her voicemail. “Baby it’s me, can you call me back? Or just text me to let me know you’re okay. Love you.”

He hung up and called the house phone but again instead of hearing her voice he got his own asking him to leave a message. He repeated what he had just said on her cell phone voicemail and hung up again as he headed towards catering to eat something before the show.

***

Adie had just about made the flight by the skin of her teeth and she breathed a sigh of relief as she sat down, chuckling slightly when the belt was almost a little too tight around her expanding stomach.

“Just made it huh?” the woman sat next to her asked.

“Yeah,” she smiled.

“How far along are you?” She asked looking down to Adie’s bump.

“Little under six months, I’m due in November,” she replied, her hand unconsciously resting on her bump as she felt her daughter move.

“Enjoy the peace you have left now. My little monster is at home terrorizing his Father as we speak,” she laughed.

“How old?” Adie asked as the plane began to taxi.

“Three. I tell you I have no idea where he gets his energy from, I’m just glad I’m not doing it alone you know? I don’t know how some women can, it’s exhausting,” she sighed.

Adie nodded in agreement her smile fading at the women’s words, thankfully she didn’t have to say anything as the Stewardess announced over the PA system that the pre flight checks were about to take place and called all passengers note the safety demonstration. She glanced ahead at the women not really paying much attention to what was being said, she had seen it all before. All she could think about was how Alex and Brian used to make up their own instructions that would all eventually lead to kissing their asses goodbye, which in turn would make Nick even more uneasy about flying.

Could she really leave him again?

Could she raise a child on her own?

***

Nick had felt his phone vibrate through the opening number and had tried, unsuccessfully, to see if it was from her when Howie had been addressing the audience before “You can let go”. It had taken a long half an hour to get to the point where he could finally check his message and that’s why he was so disappointed when it turned out to be from his brother. Where the hell was she?

His disappointment turned into anger by the time the concert was over and as soon as he was off the stage his phone was to his ear as he left her an angry voicemail on her cell.

“Where the hell are you?! All I asked for was a text message so I know you’re not laying dead in a ditch somewhere. I get you’re pissed off about the fans but I can’t really control that. Call me!”

“Woah, what was that about?” Brian asked as he towelled some of the sweat from his head.

“She’s not answering my calls,” Nick huffed as he yanked his t-shirt off and threw it against the wall.

“Damnit Nick, I’m not your slave,” Marissa, the wardrobe assistant, yelled at him, “Don’t blame me when all you’ll be going out on stage on is your underwear.”

“Is she working?” Brian asked as he headed towards the dressing room.

“She shouldn’t have been and even if she was she should have called me by now. I called this morning, like twelve hours ago,” Nick told him as he kicked off his shoes.

“Called her parents? Rachel?” Brian suggested.

“Not yet.”

“Well try them, I’m sure there is some reason she’s not answering her calls.”

Twelve hours had turned into thirteen and then fifteen and by the seven am the following morning, coming up on almost nineteen hours since she had cancelled the call, Nick was going out of his mind with worry. On Brian’s advice he called Rachel but she hadn’t seen her or heard from her since the previous day when Adie had been venting about the leak of where she worked. She assured Nick that they had talked it out, that by the time she left she seemed okay and she also promised to go to the house first thing in the morning to see if she was in. He hadn’t wanted to worry her parents but it seemed like the next logical place, after all people knew where Alex and Rachel lived, if she wanted to get away from that her parents place was hidden enough. He apologised for calling so late and had hoped that they were going to tell him to stop worrying, that Adie was with them and that she was safe, her Father hadn’t been able to do that for him, the last time he had seen Adie being the day she had turned up unexpectedly at seven am.

After that Nick had called the police in Nashville, but they wouldn’t except a missing persons report for twenty four hours, at that point it had only been twelve and half, he only had five more hours until he could officially declare her missing now. He hadn’t slept a wink on the trip from Halifax to Ottawa, instead choosing to sit in the living area at the front of the bus. At first he had been busy with trying to track her down, he had called so many of her friends who hadn’t seen her, emailed her, tried her cell dozens of times, the same damn voicemail answering, it didn’t even ring just went straight to it. As the night drew on his attempts became fewer, his mind filling with all the awful things that could have possibly happened to her. Maybe she had slipped in the shower? Been involved in a car accident? Been attacked? Or maybe, just maybe, she had done the one thing she promised she wasn’t going to do again.

Maybe she had left, but this time maybe she had left for good.

“Dude you look like shit, have you slept at all?” Alex asked as he made his way down the stairs carefully as the bus slowed.

“She’s still not answering my calls,” he replied flatly, staring at his cell phone, willing it to ring.

“Seriously?” Alex asked, the concern etched in his voice.

“Nobody’s seen her Jay, I’ve called everyone.”

“You called the police?” he asked as he sat opposite Nick.

“I’ve got five hours until I can report her missing but the thing is I don’t know whether she is missing or whether she’s just left again. I don’t know which one I want more because if she has left then at least she’s okay, but…she wouldn’t do it again would she?” He asked a stray, frustrated tear escaping from his eye.

“Things have been good haven’t they?” Alex asked.

“I wouldn’t say good,” he mumbled, “They’ve been better, we’ve been more open with each other. What if it was just an act? What if she really has left again?”

“Why would she have come back in the first place then?” Alex asked.

“Maybe…with all the stuff that’s happened these past few days, maybe it’s been too mu-” he stopped mid sentence and grabbed for the phone when it started to ring, smiling when the caller ID said it was from his house.

“Baby?” he asked hopefully, his smile fading when he heard Rachel’s voice.

“Sorry Nick it’s only me. She’s definitely not here. Where do you guys keep your passports?” She asked.

“Why?”

“It looks like she’s taken off,” Rachel said.

“All her stuffs gone?” He asked panicked.

“NO,” Rachel corrected, “No some of her stuff is gone, like her toothbrush, her overnight bag, one of her suitcases.”

“Her passport should be in the top drawer of the desk that’s in the studio,” Nick shared.

“Okay, I’ll go check now,” she told him and he stayed quiet, shhing Alex when he asked what was going on. He heard as Rachel made her way into the office, heard as she opened the drawer and then he waited for her answer. “Passports gone Nick,” she said flatly and with that he hung up.

He buried his head in his hands and let Alex answer his phone when it began to shriek again, it would only be Rachel anyway and at that point the didn’t feel much like talking to anyone. All he wanted to know was that Adie was safe, that they both were safe, and yet knowing that she had left of her own accord still didn’t fill him with the hope that they were. It didn’t explain why she wasn’t answering her cell phone, why she hadn’t been in touch with anyone else, it was totally out of character for her, except for that one time three months ago when she had done the same, when she had walked away because things got too rough.

***

The plane ride had been long, cramped and bumpy. The whole time all she could think about was him, how he would have complained that there wasn’t enough room for his long legs, how quiet he would have gone when the turbulence struck, how much he would have started to annoy her when he got bored. She waited as everyone else exited the plane, not wanting to be caught in all the pushing and shoving, but it also gave Adie a chance to really think about the decision she had made, she knew it was the right one, it was the only way she was going to be truly happy, it was the only way her daughter was going to get the life that she deserved.

“M’am? Is there a problem?” The Stewardess smiled from the isle, breaking Adie from her thoughts.

“No,” she smiled back, “No I was just waiting for everyone else.”

 

I've been roaming around

Always looking down at all I see

Painted faces fill the places I can't reach

You know that I could use somebody

You know that I could use somebody

***

Someone like you

And all you know

And how you speak

Countless lovers undercover of the street

You know that I could use somebody

You know that I could use somebody

Someone like you

 

Nick had travelled the remaining four hours of the journey in his bunk. He had told Alex, and Brian when he appeared, that he was going to get some sleep, that hadn’t happened though. Instead he had listened to his IPOD hoping that the heartbeat would lull him off to sleep but he made the mistake of looking at the video that accompanied it, the one of his daughter at the very last scan they had been too. They had been fighting then too.

It was then he decided that if Adie wanted to leave she could, but she was going to have one hell of a fight on her hands if she thought she was getting custody of their daughter. He was not just going to be pushed aside, he was going to matter in her life, he was going to be the one she would want to be with and he would make sure that she knew he hadn’t been the one to make her life the way it was.

When the bus finally reached the hotel he made his way towards the front of the bus, making sure to tell Q that he did not want to stop for the fans this morning, at that point all he wanted was to get to his hotel room and report her missing. She might have run but he was damn sure going to find her, and he was damn sure going to get custody of his daughter. The fans voiced their disapproval at Nick not stopping but he knew the others would cover for him, so what if he was the bad guy for five minutes, his fans were so fickle that he would be forgiven if he apologised in his next blog.

He checked in quickly and made his way to the bank of elevators, his eyes on his sneakers, it was easier to avoid attention that way, if he didn’t make eye contact with anyone he was golden. It worked wonders and within five minutes he was in his room on the seventeenth floor, sat in the arm chair, his cell phone to his ear as he waited for the call to the Nashville Police Department to connect. The call was answered promptly just as Alex made his way into the room.

“Nick?” he asked. Nick just shrugged him off, signalling that he was on the phone.

“Yes I’d like to report someone missing,” he said to the women on the phone.

“Nick?” Alex tried again but again Nick ignored him.

“Adrianna Jones,” he answered when the women asked whom he was reporting.

“Nick?” He heard his name called again but the voice wasn’t gruff like Alex’s was, hell it wasn’t even male and sure enough when he looked past his friend he saw Adie stood just inside the doorway.

 

Off in the night

While you live it up I'm off to sleep

Waging wars to shape the poet and the beat

I hope it's gonna make you notice

I hope it's gonna make you notice

Someone like me

Someone like me

Someone like me

I’m ready now

I’m ready now

I’m ready now

 

Song Credits: Coldplay - Trouble

Kings of Leon - Use Somebody

End Notes:
Let me know what you think because you're feedback is awesome!
Don't Let Me Get Me by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Adie finally turns up somewhere

Adie knew what hotel they were staying at, she also knew that any Backstreet fan worth her salt would also know, and that was where she hit her first snag. The entrance was surrounded and unless you had a key or a booking reference, access was being denied. She had attempted to use her cell phone, cursing herself when she realised how long it had actually been turned off for, but when she tried to switch it on the battery only lasted for about ten seconds and she remembered that before she left Nashville it had been beeping incessantly at her reminding her to charge it. She hung back at the Starbucks across the street, making sure she had a good view so she could see them arrive but also keeping a low enough profile so she wasn’t spotted.

After twenty minutes she saw the first of the buses  arrive, and so made her way outside towards it. Nick was the first to get off, with Q not far behind, and she was sure she would be able to get at least one of their attentions whilst Nick signed for autographs. She was a little shocked when Nick kept his eyes to the ground and walked quickly towards the entrance of the hotel, not once meeting the faces of the fans who had probably been stood there for hours. It was very unlike him and she knew that the shit was most definitely going to hit the fan when he came face to face with her.

Alex was next off the bus and with all the commotion that ensued with not only him but Brian signing autographs she pleaded her case to the doorman once again. Again she was denied access and she couldn’t really blame him, it was probably his jobs worth to let someone in who wasn’t supposed to be there. So again she was left to wait and a few minutes later Alex almost walked by her unnoticed until she called his name.

“Adie?” He asked surprised, grabbing her hand quickly when a few fans repeated the name. Cameras were aimed in her direction but luckily the flashes only got her back as Alex walked her into the foyer of the hotel.

“What the hell was that?” She asked.

“Get used to it sweets, they were the same when Rach was pregnant, they are going to be like vultures when she comes out with Max,” he told her. “What are you doing here?”

“I’ve been asking myself the same question,” she said as she followed Alex to the bank of elevators.

“He doesn’t know you’re here does he?”

“No. What was with him earlier, why didn’t he stop?” She asked stepping on to the elevator, Alex taking the case from her.

“He’s been going crazy, convinced that you’re either dead in a ditch somewhere or have left again. Why didn’t you tell anyone where you were going?” He asked.

“Because -” she started but was cut off by Alex.

“SHIT!”

“What?” She asked panicked.

“He’s probably on the phone to the police now.”

“Police?” She questioned.

“It’s been twenty four hours since he spoke to you last, he was going to report you missing,” Alex told her, taking off down the hall when the elevator doors opened, yelling to Q about which room was Nick’s. Adie followed behind and stood in the doorway of what was Nick’s room as Alex tried to get his attention but Nick carried on his conversation anyway.

“Yes I’d like to report someone missing,” he said to the other person on the phone.

“Nick?”

Alex tried again but again Nick just carried on “Adrianna Jones,” he said and it was then she knew she had to speak up.

“Nick?”

He must have leant forward so that he could see past Alex, she saw him relax slightly but then he turned from her, continuing his conversation on the phone.

“She’s uh, she’s just turned up actually. I’m sorry to waste your time,” He said down the phone, listening to what was being said from the other end of the line. “Thanks for your help, bye.”

He shut the phone off and placed it down on the table but he didn’t make any move to get closer to her, he didn’t speak to her, he didn’t even look at her and that was when she knew it was only going to be a matter of moments before he exploded.

Obviously feeling the tension in the room heighten Alex also made to effort to leave and so the three of them remained silent. That was until Alex’s cell phone began to ring, he grabbed for it out of his pocket as quickly as he could.

“It’s Rach,” he said softly to Adie, “Do you want me to stay?” She shook her head no and moved aside so he could leave the room, gently closing the door behind him. She walked further into the room, kicking off her shoes as she sat down on the bed, but still Nick remained silent the only change was his icy glare directed towards her.

“Are you not pleased to see me?” She asked, knowing that no matter what she said it would only end up in an all out fight.

“Where the hell have you been?” He hissed, his pupils small, his eyes deep blue with rage.

“I’m sorry,” she apologised.

“I don’t want to hear you’re sorry, because frankly your apologies are worthless. Why the hell didn’t you call me?” He asked but he didn’t give her enough time to answer, his tirade carrying on. “I’ve been worried to death about you, I called everyone and nobody had seen or heard from you, do you know the kind of things that have been running through my mind? You could have been lying dead in a ditch somewhere, I had visions of you slipping in the god damned shower and breaking your neck, I-”

“You thought I left again,” she finished for him in an equally angry tone.

“Yeah,” he nodded, “Is that what you want to hear? Yeah I thought you left again. You go on and on about how you want to earn my trust back but I’ve been gone five minutes and you pull a stunt like this,” he ranted standing up. “Why the hell didn’t you just call me to tell me you were coming?”

“Because I didn’t know I was coming here,” she said quickly. It was the only was she was going to be truthful with him, she knew she had to tell him, even if it was going to be hard for him to hear. It stopped him instantly and she stayed silent after her admission waiting for him to respond.

“So you were leaving again,” he stated softly, his shoulders sinking.

“I didn’t know what I was doing.”

“You packed a bag,” he said pointing at her suitcase, “You got your passport out, people don’t do that unless they are planning on going somewhere and if your first plan wasn’t about coming to see me, then where the fuck were you heading?” he asked the anger returning to his voice.

“Don’t swear at me Nick, I think I deserve a bit more respect then that,” she told him bluntly.

“Respect?” he nodded, “Have you respected me? Did you respect me enough to call me? TO CALL SOMEONE?!” he yelled as he kicked her case to the floor. She watched as his anger spilled out into physical aggression, knowing that it wasn’t just about today. This was about everything, his parents, her leaving, the fans finding out, this was Nick’s only way with dealing with it, to lash out at things, to break things, she had seen him do it many times when they had first started dating but it had been a while.

“I wasn’t thinking clearly,” she tried to explain.

“Obviously-” he tried to interject but she cut him off by standing and becoming equally as angry.

“LET ME FINISH!” She yelled, “I never asked for this Nick, I never wanted to be in the spotlight, I never wanted people writing about me, or trying to take pictures of me.”

“It’s part of my life, it’s part of who I am and if you can’t deal with that-”

“If I can’t deal with that what?” She said cutting him off, “We’re finished? You have no idea how close I came yesterday to doing that, to finishing us for good. Do you know how hard it is to deal with being called a bitch, and a slut and trailer trash and a gold digger just because I’m with you? Do you know how embarrassing it was when the ER’s time wasters went up by twenty percent overnight just because “Nick Carter’s knocked up girlfriend” worked there?” She yelled but she knew it wouldn’t be long before the tears would start to fall. “I never wanted this, all I ever wanted was a normal life, with husband and a few kids but instead I met you,” she said her breath catching as the first tears escaped.

“Biggest mistake of your life right?” He finished for her, crossing his arms over his chest. She walked towards him, shaking her head in disagreement, “No. I have never felt they way I feel when I’m with you,” she told him as she uncrossed his arms so she could take his hands in hers. “I can’t do this on my own, I can’t raise a child on my own and I don’t want to run anymore.”

He squeezed her hands as he told her, “I don’t want you to run either.”

“I love you, I think I loved you from the moment you bought me coffee and saw me in underwear with one hell of a hangover,” she semi laughed through her tears making him smile back at her. “I just can’t seem to stop screwing up.”

“But you’re here, it might not have been the way to go about it, but you are here,” he told her softly as he sat her down on the bed, him sitting next to her.

“I almost wasn’t,” she sniffed.

“Doesn’t matter, you’re here,” he whispered. “I’m sorry I got so angry.”

“You don’t have to apologise, you had every right to be mad. I was just confused Nick, my head was screaming at that all this shit wasn’t worth it, dealing with comments, and the media attention…I don’t need that hassle in my life. God knows I already have enough crap to deal with. I don’t take criticism well, I hate not being liked, I do things to please people, I do things to try and have an easy life. Most of the time that means following decisions made by other people, or running away when things become to difficult, I’ve been doing it my whole life,“ she admitted as she stared at the wall in front of them.

“Screw everybody else, put yourself first for once. It doesn’t matter what I think, what your parents think, what the media thinks. What do you want?” He asked.

She was quiet for a few moments before she looked to him, her answer being, “To be happy.”

“Are you not happy now?” He asked unsurely.

“I look at my life, I look at what we had a year and a half ago, are we ever going to get that back?” She asked softly a few tears escaping.

“We can damn well try,” he told her as he leant in to wipe the tears away.

“You know the day…when you turned up at Chelle’s after you…you said I was the only thing that made sense in your life?” She asked and he nodded, “I need you in my life,” she admitted.

“I’m not going anywhere,” he smiled.

“You’re the only guy who…you look at me like I’m the only person in the world, you’ve done so much for me and I walked from you and you still want me. I guess I just don’t believe that I’m worth the trouble.”

“You listen to me,” he said placing his hands on each of her cheeks, “That’s your problem right there. You don’t value yourself enough, you let people put you down and you believe what they say. I’ve got news for you Sugar puff, YOU matter. I learnt a long time ago you can’t please everybody, there is always going to be somebody out there who doesn’t like what you think, what you wear, or what you look like. You know what I say to those people?” He asked.

“What?” She sniffed.

 “FUCK YOU!” He yelled as he let her go of her cheeks, smiling widely when she began to laugh. “C’mon say it with me.”

“Fuck you,” she said softly, making him roll his eyes.

“I know you can do better then that, C‘mon from the diagram,” he said, nudging her arm.

“FUCK YOU!” They both yelled together.

“What’s going to make you happy Adie?” he asked.

“Being with you and I know that in order to be with you I have put up with the attention, I have toughen up to it because at the end of the day the only way I know I am going to be truly happy is by being with you and by growing old with you,” she told him as she wiped at her eyes.

His gaze had dropped to the floor, just like it always did when conversations got too heavy, or when he was being complimented but she could see the smile that had formed on his lips at her words.

“You mean that?” He asked shyly.

She nodded, “Just you Carter.”

***

Having not slept at all for almost twenty seven hours it didn’t take long for Nick to drift off once his head had hit the pillow. After all he knew Adie was safe, she had been lying right next to him, nestled safely in the crook of his shoulder, her long her tickling his chest, her breath warm against his skin.

He awoke some hours later, but when he went to give her a squeeze he found her to be too squishy and when he cracked one of his eyes open her realised that it wasn’t her at all, just the pillow she probably hadn’t used, his chest being apparently more comfortable then a feather down pillow. He smiled as he moved the pillow to her vacant side of the bed, it was a trick she had started long ago. She would wake up for work at some ungodly hour, far too early for him to be up but he would miss the weight of her, the feel of something nestled against his skin and that would wake him to the point where he would not be able to return to sleep in the lonely bed. The pillow was just the right shape to fool him, and so when she was working, he would always wake up to her pillow instead, his surrogate Adie.

He knew from the sound of the water running and her off key singing that she was in the shower and he remained in bed for a few moments, smiling at her attempt at hitting some of the higher notes to the song. He eventually pushed the covers back and made his way towards the bathroom, making sure to open the door quietly so he wouldn’t disturb her singing, the song blaring from her Iphone. He leant against the sink as some of the steam cleared and laughed when he saw her singing into the shampoo bottle. His laughter made her turn her head quickly but she didn’t stop her singing.

“You’re thinking so complicated, I’ve had it all up to here, but it’s so overrated, love and hate it ,wouldn’t trade it, love me jaded,” she sang loudly, and very off key before she strummed on her air guitar. “I may need a backing singer,” she told him as she pulled open the clear door to the shower. He accepted her offer, stepping into the shower taking the shampoo bottle from her.

“J-j-j-j-jaded, there aint no baby please when I’m shooting the breeze with her, when everything you see is a blur, and ecstasy’s what you prefer,” he sang, a lot better then what she had, into the shampoo bottle.

She laughed as he started busting his moves in the shower, he picked up the bottle of conditioner and used the bottles as best he could as drum sticks, the loud clanks against the tile sure to drive the person in the next room insane. She took one of the bottles from him before wrapping her arms around his neck, she leant up like she was about to kiss him but at the last minute she pulled back, and tugged until his face was directly under the spray of the shower. She almost died laughing as he coughed and spluttered at the shock, knowing she would be in for it. He didn’t disappoint, grabbing for her arm he made sure she couldn’t escape the spray as he turned the water down to near on freezing.

“FUCK NICK!” She screeched when the water hit her skin making her shiver.

 “Paybacks a bitch,” he told her as he turned the temperature back up before leaning down to kiss her.

He could feel her smile as she leant in to the kiss, wrapping her arms around his neck, his hands found their way down her sides, his hands resting on her ass. He gave it a light squeeze as he pulled her body closer to his, he smirked when he felt her start to twiddle some of the short hairs at the nape of his neck, whilst her other hand trailed down his chest, eventually coming to rest on his hip. He took the initiative and pulled his lips away from her, instead choosing to trail feather kisses down her neck and along her collar bone, her soft moans echoing throughout the shower. He was soon moaning along with her when he hand trailed further, her index finger tracing the dark hairs surrounding his hardening cock. Adie slipped her spare hand under his chin, making him move his lips from the spot just behind her ear, she bought them back down to her own, her tongue massaging his within seconds.

Following his lead she stepped out of the shower, still connected by mouths. She didn’t know what happened next, maybe his feet got tangled, maybe it was due to the fact that his feet were wet and there was not a towel on the floor, but he ended up on his ass.

“SHIT!” He yelped, his hand coming to rest just above his eye to obviously try and ease the pain of where he hit it against the corner of the square set sink.

“Oh my god,” she exclaimed, bending down to his level, “Are you okay?”

"I don’t know what hurts more, my head or my ass,” he whined.

She bit on her lip to try and keep from laughing out loud at him but it didn’t work. She ended up near on crying with laughter as he playfully glared at her.

“That’s fine, just laugh at me when I’m naked, venerable and have a broken ass, Oh fuck,” he moaned when he removed his hand from his head and saw the crimson stain on his hand.

“C’mere,” she laughed as she held out her hand to him. He took hold of it and let her help him up, she kissed the tips of her fingers before she placed her hand on his butt, “There the toosh is all better, now let me look at your head,” she said making him smile.

Nick hissed slightly when she touched the wound making it sting. She threw him a look that told him to grow up before she reached for some tissue to try and clean up some of the blood, she inspected the wound further. “I don’t think it’s going to need stitches, C’mon,” she said as she lead him into the bedroom.

She sat him down on the bed before she rummaged around in her purse, pulling out the desired items a moment later. “Now you can have a plain one, a pink one or a toy story one,” she said holding up the band aids in front of him.

“Toy story,” he grinned.

“Child,” she said rolling her eyes.

“You gave me the choice,” he pointed out as she cleaned his head some more, “Ow!” He moaned.

“Stop being such a baby,” she chastised as she stuck the band aid to his head.

“But it hurts.”

“Trust me in November you are going to see pain,” she told him with a shiver as the cool air from the air conditioning hit her skin.

“You scared?” he asked as he watched her wrap her robe around herself.

“I’m trying not to think about it,” she admitted with a nervous smile as she made a move to walk past him and back into the bathroom but he managed to catch her hand and pull her towards him so she ended up sitting in his naked lap.

“You’ll be fine,” he assured.

“Says he who whined about getting a band aid put on,” she said with a raise of her eyebrows.

“I’m a complete pussy when it comes to pain, you know that, that’s why you’re having the baby and I’m not,” he said as he kissed her nose.

“I’m hungry,” she thought allowed.

“Me too,” he leered as he parted her robe so he could look at her chest.

“I meant for food,” she corrected, pulling his head up so his eyes were looking into hers.

“But…in the shower,” he tried to reason.

“You ruined the moment Nick, not me and now you’re daughter is hungry.”

“Damn kids,” he grumbled.

***

He watched slightly in awe, slightly in disgust as she chowed down on yet another jalapeño pepper. He liked spicy food but at the rate she was going through it, she was going to have no palate left, the spices burning away the roof of her mouth.

“What?” She asked when she found him studying her.

“Doesn’t it burn?” He asked as he dipped on of the nacho’s in the salsa.

“No,” she said shaking her head.

“Seriously?” he asked.

“Yeah. Oh crap,” she moaned unexpectedly.

“What?” he asked.

“Heart burn,” she grumbled, placing her hand to her chest.

“Can you be surprised?” he joked making her stick her tongue out at him. “How long have you got off work?”

“I’ve got four weeks leave to take before I go on maternity leave.”

“When do you go on maternity leave?” He asked placing another nacho into his mouth.

“Mid to late September, I think I’ll tag two weeks on to the beginning rather then take four weeks in a row now,” she said slinking down in her seat slightly.

“What are you doing?” Nick asked.

“Nothing,” she said a little too quickly, her gaze fixed on the entrance of the hotel’s restaurant. He turned to where her eyes were fixed and it was then he noticed the few girls sat at the bar, their giggling and quick movement of their heads away from his a dead giveaway of who they were.

“Ignore them,” he told her, his hand slipping into hers across the table.

“It’s hard to ignore death glares,” she said softly her eyes in her lap.

 “You want to go?” He asked. She looked to him and then to the exit but with a sigh she shook her head no. “You sure?” He asked.

“It would class as running, I’m not doing that anymore, remember?” She reminded.

 “Yeah I remember,” he smiled giving her a wink. “What do we say to ‘em?”

“Fuck you,” she said quietly so no one else would be able to hear.

“Good girl.”

“ADIE’S HERE MOMMY!” She heard someone yell from across the resturant.

“If they didn’t know it was you to begin with they sure do now,” Nick laughed as he turned and spotted Baylee with Brian and Leighanne close behind.

“Hey kiddo,” Adie greeted, smiling brightly when Baylee pretty much launched himself at her in a hug.

“Baylee be careful,” Leighanne lightly scolded.

“Mommy didn’t tell me you were going to be here. Can we paint like we did last time? Oh can we go to the park too? And you and Nick said you’d take me to the zoo, and I gots Horton hears a who on DVD now can we watch it?” he reeled off quickly making her look to Brian and Leighanne with a laugh.

“It’s a good thing I’m here for a few weeks huh?”

“What am I kid? Chopped liver?” Nick asked ruffling Baylee’s hair.

“You can come to Nick,” he said rolling his eyes, making everyone laugh.

“Adie I think you should lay of the nachos,” Brian joked looking down at her rounded stomach before accepting her hug as she stood up. “Congratulations.”

 “Thanks,” she smiled before enveloping Leighanne too.

“You look great,” Leighanne complimented, “Feeling okay?”

“Yeah I feel great, really good,” she smiled as she placed a hand to her bump proudly before she reached out to take Nick’s hand and it was in that moment that he knew she had meant what she had said earlier.

He just hoped it would all work out because right then it all felt to good to be true.

End Notes:
Please let me know what you think!
One Step At A Time by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Adie decides enough is enough and makes a stand

Adie sat in the green room of the large backstage area of the arena, Baylee resting next to her on the overstuffed couch as he watched Horton hears a who contently. She remembered taking him to see the film at the movies when she had met up with Nick on part of the promotional tour the previous year, but at that moment she couldn’t in all honesty say that she was focused on the pictures in front of her. Luckily Baylee didn’t seem to mind.

She bit at her nails thinking back to the hours previous, the hours that had been harder to handle then she first thought. She realised she had been too naive in her thinking. After the slight issue of the fans in the restaurant the previous night she felt stronger, more empowered, she wasn’t going to let the negative attention get to her. The following morning had been a different story.

Nick had bought the subject of her leaving the hotel as they had packed their belongings, he had said it would be totally okay if she wanted to leave through the back entrance of the hotel, that Q could take her that way, get her on the bus and then he and the rest of the guys would get on after. She had declined, deciding that the best way to deal with the issue would be to face it head on, after all she couldn’t hide forever, maybe if she showed people she was strong now they would back down. She hadn’t reckoned on there being so many people.

Of course news of her arrival the previous day had spread like wild fire on the internet, and it amazed her how the crowd had seemed to double. She knew it wouldn’t be wise to exit with Nick, after all he would stop to sign autographs and she didn’t want to be out in the open for longer then she had to, so it had been decided she would exit with Baylee and Leighanne, Q and Josh escorting the three of them. As soon as the doors had been pushed open by Josh the noise of the crowd increased, she tried to walk through the throng of the crowd with her head held high, but with so many camera flashes it was difficult. Her heart started pounding in her chest, and it seemed like the crowd was closing in on her. The cruel whispers about her being a slut and a whore getting to her once again.

“Get me out of here Josh,” she had begged, grabbing onto his hand. They had reached the bus only seconds later, and she took a few deep breathes to try and compose herself but she knew she just needed to be alone for a while and she had quickly told Leighanne she was going to lie down. She had cocooned herself into one of the bunks, making sure to pull the curtain across and had laid in the semi darkness it offered. She had tried to forget the looks on the faces she had seen, the way they had looked at her with such distaste as she had walked past, it had been bad enough before but now, it just seemed ten times worse.

She had feigned sleep when Nick eventually made it on to the bus. She had kept her eyes closed and her breathing even when he had pulled back the curtain to the bunk carefully. She didn’t flinch when he softly trailed two of his fingers down her face and whispered, “I love you.” She had cried silently when he left though. She also knew he noticed how ouffy her eyes were when she had joined the rest of the crowd at lunch when they had reached the arena, but he had chosen to ignore it, something which she was thankful for. She just hoped that life wouldn’t always be the way it was at that moment and she hoped that someday it would just be them and their family. She was snapped from her thoughts when Leighanne walked into the room.

“Daddy said you could go to sound check Bay,” she said stroking the top of his head. Adie smiled when Baylee shot out of the room like a light, following Bob down towards the stage area.

“He loves it huh?” Adie asked.

“Can’t get enough of it,” she smiled whilst shaking her head. “Are you okay?”

“Me? Fine, back is just starting to ache,” she said.

“I remember that feeling, but I meant are you okay after this morning?” She asked as she took over Baylee’s seat.

“Why wouldn’t I be?” Adie tried to play off, her fingers playing with the hem of her t-shirt.

“Nick was worried about you earlier,” she stated.

“He’s just being overprotective,” she shrugged.

“Gets easier,” Leighanne told her, placing a reassuring hand on Adie’s leg.

“It does?” She asked with a small smile.

“Yeah. You know soon you are going to be so busy worrying about caring for a newborn, worrying if the decisions you make for them are the right ones to even care what a bunch of girls think about you. They don’t matter Adie, their opinions about you aren’t based on the person you are, they can’t be because they don’t know you. They see a tiny glimpse of you, they see a tiny glimpse of Nick, they don’t know either of you, they believe what they want to believe, nothing you do or say is going to change that. You’ve got the real Nick,” she said squeezing Adie’s leg.

“Do I?” She questioned.

“Yeah you do. Nick and I very rarely see eye to eye. He made my life a misery when I first started seeing Brian, he hated me because he felt threatened and I hated having to baby-sit him all the time, I hated the fact he was always around and I hated the fact that Brian would revert to a child when he was with Nick. But I can see a huge difference in him and it’s a difference I’ve seen since he’s been with you. Don’t get me wrong he still has his moments, he can act like a spoilt child,” she laughed, “But for the most part he’s turned into a really nice guy, a guy I like having around my son. Baylee adores him, he adores you and I think you two are going to make really great parents. So don’t let what a bunch of girls say about you ruin your relationship with him. It’s happened too many times in the past to him.”

“I just feel so venerable at the moment Leighanne, I felt so unsafe this morning, I don’t want anything to happen to her,” She admitted as she stroked her belly.

“Of course you don’t. I don’t think any of them would stupid to physically hurt you but I know mind games can be just as nasty. But just remember for every ten that hate your guts, there will be at least twenty fighting your corner and then they’ll at least thirty who don’t give a crap,” she laughed. “This isn’t going to last forever, but hopefully when it ends you guys will still be together, raising your family.”

***

Nick walked through the maze of the backstage area once sound check had finished. He knew today had been hard on her, and he knew that he just needed to sit with her, to reassure her that she was beautiful, that she was the only women he wanted to be with but first he had to find her.

His first stop was catering but he only saw a few of the band at the tables, he almost walked passed the dark green room, figuring she wouldn’t be in there. That was until he heard her call out his name, but something wasn’t right, she was panicking. He made his way into the room quickly, turning on the light as he bent down to her level before asking

 “What’s wrong?” She didn’t move from where she was lying on the couch and when he softly pushed some of the hair out of her face he realised why, she was sleeping and that meant the dreams were still happening. He was just about to try and coax her out of it when she started talking again.

“She was fine Nick, she was,” she cried. “No, oh god no don’t stop, you have to keep trying, Matt you have to keep trying, don’t let her die.”

Nick soon realised that this was a different type of dream all together and when she whimpered her next words he felt a lump form in his throat.

“She’s just a baby don’t stop!” He knew he had to wake her from the nightmare she seemed to be trapped within and so he gently stroked her face as he called her name softly.

“Adie? It’s time to wake up,” he told her as one of his hands trailed down her arm and back up again. He thought it was going to take longer but she quickly opened her eyes and when she spotted him she burst into sobs, throwing herself into his chest and clinging to him.

“Hey, its okay, its okay,” he said over and over. Her crying eased into gentle hiccups after a few minutes but she didn’t loosen her hold on him, she didn’t make any effort to move at all as he lightly stroked his hand over her hair and down her cheek.

“You okay?” He asked softly. She nodded. “Want to talk about it?”

“She died,” she whispered with a hiccup and again Nick felt the lump rise in his throat. He didn’t say anything, he didn’t know what he could say to make her feel better because dreaming about that had to be so awful, just thinking about it sent chills up his spine.

He pulled away from her slightly and moved so that he was level with her bump. Lifting the material of her t-shirt, he placed a kiss to her stomach before saying, “You in there, you awake?” He poked her tummy gently before talking again, “Mommy needs to know you’re okay so give her a really big kick.”

She waited with bated breath to feel any movement, her heart beat increasing when all was still. What if the dream had been an omen? She felt him poke her again.

“Excuse me young lady, don’t you start ignoring me before you’re born, give Mommy a kick,” he said again and sure enough she felt a strong push from with inside her. “Good girl,” he smiled before placing another kiss to her stomach. “See she’s fine,” he told Adie. He moved so his head was resting in her ever shortening lap, closing his eyes when her hand trailed through his hair.

“That’s the first time you’ve called me Mommy,” she realised after a few minutes.

“Well you are, she’s definitely in there,” he said poking her again before flattening his palm against her stomach to feel the flutter beneath.

“She needs a name.”

“Hmmmm,” he thought, “What about….Gertrude,” he laughed.

“Gertrude Carter?” Adie asked sceptically.

He shook his head before adding, “No Gertrude Roxanna Mackenzie Carter.”

“What no Gene thrown in there as well? I thought that was Carter tradition?” She joked.

“No that middle name tradition is dying with me,” he told her in all seriousness.

“Aww baby don’t you like your middle name?” She asked stroking his scalp.

“I fucking hate it,” he whined.

“At least you don’t have as many names as I do. I don’t know what my parents were thinking.”

“Adrianna Machala Louise Jones come on down,” Nick called in his best game show host voice.

“Do you know how difficult it was to learn to spell all that as a child?”

“So what are we going to call her? Are we going to jump on the band wagon of ridiculous celebrity child names?” He asked.

“Like what?” She asked.

“You know naming her for where she was conceived, or after a piece of fruit?” He laughed.

“We could join the two, Kiwi Nashville,” she laughed before moving her hand to her bump when she felt a large kick, “I don’t think she likes that idea.”

“That’s a damn shame because Kiwi Nashville Carter has such a ring to it,” He said in all seriousness before bursting into laughter. He stroked her belly before adding, “I kinda like Molly.”

“You only kinda like it?” Adie asked, her hand trailing down his cheek as he looked to her.

“I like it,” he told her rolling his eyes.

“Molly,” Adie said aloud, “Molly Carter.”

“No middle name?” He asked and Adie shook her head, “Not Molly Jones-Carter?”

“Double barrelled last names are so pretentious, nope I think just Molly Carter,” She smiled.

“Well that was a lot simpler then I thought it was going to be,” he said as he moved off of her lap. He interlaced his fingers with hers before leaning in to place a small peck to her cheek.

***

Adie rubbed her aching back as she tried to get more comfortable on the bar stool but it wasn’t happening, the long overnight ride on the bumpy bus, had left her feeling stiff and cranky. She couldn’t wait to sleep in a real bed that night but when she looked at her watch she realised she had a long way to go considering it was only lunch time. She should have just stayed at the hotel when they had made it in earlier that morning but she just found that she couldn’t bare to be separated from Nick again.

After the previous episode with dealing with the fans, and after the god awful dream she had suffered she had been so anxious that she spent the rest of the evening on the bus watching movies and catching up on emails. She knew she just wouldn’t be up to sitting out front and watching the show, hell even standing off to the side made her heart rate increase and her hands go clammy. She had felt like a failure until Nick had slipped his hand in hers and reassured her that “One step at a time is fine.”

This was going to be her third step. Her fist had been staying in the restaurant and obviously the second was walking threw the crowd, the one she would take later was a lot scarier. She had known that Nick had been planning this with Leslie for a while and originally she was going to have to miss it because of work but due to her unforeseen “vacation” she knew there was no way he would let her miss it. After all it had been almost two years since she had seen Leslie last but the club was so small she was bound to be recognised, hell people would probably be scoping the place out in search of her. Sure she would have Q with her but the prospect of so many people being able to come up to her, to speak to her, to tell her what they really thought about her was daunting and frightening. The nausea feeling she had when she had first been carrying Molly returned but she knew it wasn’t to do with her daughter and so she tried to push her feelings of uneasiness aside, knowing that her back ache was sure to intensify if she spent any more time on the indomitable stool.

She looked around the small club eyeing a more comfier looking booth, it probably wouldn’t take her long to get comfortable and drift off but just as she was about to move she heard a familiar voice and it made her smile.

“Hey fatty!” Aaron grinned as he embraced Adie in a hug.

“I’m not fat, I’m just big boned!” she joked back as she squeezed him slightly.

“That was Nick’s excuse,” He laughed as he pulled away. “So there’s really a baby in there?” He asked, his eyes drawn towards her stomach and when she looked at him she found herself laughing at how much he looked like his big brother.

“Yep and thanks to your brother she’s awake,” she groaned when she felt another kick.

“What he do?” Aaron asked as he sat on the bar stool next to her as Leslie and Nick completed their small sound check.

“Well he dragged me here for a start, then he attempted to break the drum set, and then he did the worse thing possible,” she moaned.

“What?”

“He started singing,” she grinned. “She’s already a sucker for his voice.”

“Really?” Aaron smiled.

 “Yep,” she nodded, “She goes crazy in there and when he talks to her, it just gets even worse.”

“So things are good between you guys again?” He asked. Adie looked from where Nick was joking around with his sister, the smile fading from her lips before she looked back to Aaron.

“They will be eventually, we’ve just got a lot of stuff to work through is all,” she shrugged.

“He loves you, you know? He’s completely crazy about you, always has been,” Aaron told her.

“I know that and I feel the same way about him. I’m just an insecure mess when it comes to…how do you deal with the intrusion of everyone wanting to know your business twenty four seven Aaron?” She asked.

“You get used to it. It just becomes the norm you know? But I have been doing this since I was nine, I don’t really know any different, it’s kind of the same for him and I think he sometimes forgets that your not used to it. Just remind him.”

Nick looked out towards Adie as the song ended and smiled when he spotted his brother talking to her. She had always gotten on so well with his family, well the small part of his family that she had met anyway. She had shown an interest in his siblings from the very first time she had met them all, when she had quickly flown to his aid after Aaron and his accident. She had been an instant hit with Aaron as she put him at ease about what was happening almost instantly, even managing to make him laugh when she threatened to take pictures of his ass so she could make a small fortune on EBay.

Leslie had been ecstatic because it meant another girl in the house, one who might actually get along with her, and of course her and Adie had long hours spent by the pool gossiping about Mike and Nick ensuing. They were still like that, and Nick knew that over the three years that had passed since House of Carters had wrapped Adie had probably spoken to Leslie on the phone more than he had. Hell she had probably spoken to Beej more then he had.

Angel of course had been the hardest person to win over. That was just her personality, her protective nature kicking in but when Adie had refused to let Nick pay for her flight out, when Adie always paid her way when they went out to dinner, Angel had realised she wasn’t going to be like all the others.

“O my god are you actually having a thought?” Leslie asked as she passed Nick on the way off the stage. He nudged her playfully whilst sticking his tongue out.

“I do have them occasionally you know,” he replied as he followed her into the small dressing room.

“I must remember to alert the press,” she joked as she took a swig of her drink, offering the coke bottle to him after, her eyes bulging when he refused and grabbed for the bottle of water instead.

“Okay who are you and what have you done with my brother?”

“Too many calories and it’s doesn’t hydrate you properly,” he told her.

“You look really good,” she smiled at him.

“You’re sounding great, guess those vocal lessons paid off,” he said as he sat down.

“Yeah, Mom said the same thing,” she told him, obviously not missing the frown that crossed his face if her next comment was anything to go by,

“Have you even called her to tell her she is going to be a Grandma?”

“You talk to her on the phone Les, I’m sure she would have told you if I called.”

 “She’s excited for you,” Leslie tried.

“You tell her?” He asked gruffly, his eyes focused on his shoe lace.

“Angel actually. All it would take is a phone call,” she prompted.

“I have nothing to say to her,” he said sternly his eyes focused intently on his sisters.

“She’s your Mother Nick, how would you feel if twenty years down the line your baby wasn’t talking to you?” Leslie asked.

“I won’t give my Daughter a reason to resent me, I’m going to be there for her like a parent should be so can we just drop this?” He asked. She stared him down for a moments but in the end she relented with a sigh.

“So are you going to ask her to marry you?” Leslie asked with a grin.

Nick rolled his eyes, and mumbled, “Actually can we start talking about Mom again?”

“She’s having your baby,” Leslie pointed out.

“I know,” he nodded his head, “It’s complicated Les. It’s always been complicated with us, right now we’re just focusing on becoming parents.”

“You excited?” She asked.

He nodded his head with a small grin, “Yeah I am. I feel her kick but I still…it’s like it’s not real, like I know she’s in there but it’s strange to think that she’s a person, I want what she looks like, I want to know if she’s going to have dark hair or blonde hair, if she is going to be tall or shrimp like her Mom. I can’t wait to hold her.”

Leslie was just about to say something when Adie walked into the room followed by Aaron.

“I’ll tell you what you can take her now,” Adie commented as she slipped her arm around Nick’s shoulders.

“Back still achy?” He asked wrapping his arm around her waist and guiding her to sit in his lap.

“Yep, thanks to the incredible small bunks. I think I’m going to head back baby, I could use a nap,” she smiled.

“Want me to come with you?” He asked.

“Nah, I’ll meet you at the restaurant for dinner?” She asked. “

Sure.”

“I shall see you at dinner guys,” she smiled at Leslie and Aaron.

***

 Adie had snuck into the club a few songs into the set, just before Nick had made his way on to the stage. Her nap had lasted for four and a half hours and so she was feeling refreshed and ready to face whatever was going to be thrown at her. She smiled as Leslie introduced her older brother and shook her head in wonder as the screams intensified when he made his entrance.

It still amazed her how some people would react to him. Some would just scream, others would cry, some would trample over another person just to get to him but he was no different to any of them, it wasn’t like he was super human or anything. He had flaws, plenty of them and she wondered how many of them would still like him when they saw him loose his temper, had to clean up after him, had to put up with his petty behaviour? That was what made him, him, Adie knew she wouldn’t have him any other way but still, after the three years they had been dating, it was strange to see him up on the stage. He was so confident, to the point of being cocky, he knew how to work the crowd, he knew a shake of his hips would leave them swooning. He was loud and outgoing when he was in front of an audience, when a camera was on, when it was jus the two of them he was a completely different person.

He was quiet, more reserved. He would rather carry the weight of the world on his shoulders then share things in fear of upsetting someone else. He hated confrontation but when he was cornered he would explode and fight his own. He was so sensitive, one comment from Kevin enough to make him shed near on fifty pounds, a weight loss that was still increasing. He looked really good for it but she remembered how badly Kevin telling Alex to leave his little Pork chop alone had effected him.

To look at him on stage you would never suspect him of being insecure but he was. Just like she was about being around so many fans in such close proximity, she kept eyeing the door but she had promised him she would stay, at least until the end of the set. She looked at her watch, she only had fifteen more minutes to go, she could do it, she had to do it otherwise she knew she would spend the rest of her life running.

Adie felt a nudge from beside her and turned expecting it to be Aaron with the water she had asked him to get her on his bar round. When she turned she came face to face with a women of similar height, her bleach blonde hair stark comparison to her own dark locks, her face made up so much so Adie knew if she was to see this girl without any make up there would be no way she would recognise her. Adie took a deep breath as she braced herself for the verbal attack that was sure to ensue.

“Your Adie right? Nick’s girlfriend?” The girl asked and Adie nodded her head, “I’m Jess. I just wanted to say congratulations, can you pass that along to him as well?”

“Thanks,” Adie smiled, “I’ll tell him.”

“We don’t all think like the crazy stalkers. Most of us are pretty sane,” she smiled.

 “I’ll remember that Jess,” Adie smiled in reply.

Maybe it wasn’t going to be so difficult after all?

All Good Things Come To An End by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Nick and Adie receive some devestating news

Nick tucked the last corner of sheet into the crib and then stood back surveyed the room in front of him, a large smile forming across his face. The nursery was finally finished. He picked up the small stuffed pink bear from where it had been resting on the changing table and placed it into the crib, knowing that within a matter a months, he would be placing Molly in there. It still amazed him that she was growing inside of Adie, and growing she definitely was because in the three weeks that he had been separated from Adie after she had returned from the tour, she had ballooned.

He picked up the last few tools that were scattered around the room as he thought about the remarkable change she had seemed to make overnight. It was as if something inside of her had snapped, something had made her realise that she needed to fight for what she wanted in life, that in order to be happy she had to stick out the tough times. Nick knew how badly she had wanted to run that night in the restaurant, he could see it in her eyes but he had been so proud of her when she had refused to back down and as soon as one fan had said something positive to her, she became more confident in herself. She sat out the front and watched the show with Leigh numerous times throughout the part of the tour she had been on, and she even sat in view at one of the sound checks. It was inevitable that people were still going to write or verbalise negative things about her and it wasn’t as if the comments still didn’t get to her, but she wasn’t running and that was the main thing.

He had to admit that he had been a little hesitant to let her leave after her “vacation” was up, and he had tried to convince her to stay longer on more then one occasion but she had relented. She had confronted him about his reasoning for wanting her to stay not buying that he was just going to miss her and eventually he had admitted that if she was with him at least he knew she would be there when he got back because she would be right beside him. Nick knew she had bitten her tongue to stop it blowing into a full scale row but she had asked him, after all that had happened over the previous few weeks, why he would think she would up and leave again. She promised him that she would be there on his return but he knew that there was no way he would believe her until he saw her with his own eyes. The three weeks that had crawled by slowly without her only increasing his doubt in her promise.

The first leg of the North American tour had ended three days previously and the whole flight home Nick had felt sick to his stomach. She had offered to pick him up from the airport when his ten thirty flight was due to land but he had refused, telling her that after a nightshift he didn’t want her driving all that way. He had been on tender hooks the whole drive back, his heart rate increasing when he didn’t see her car parked in the driveway of the house. He had quickly paid the cab fare and barged into the house, hoping that she would be there to greet him but he found the lounge, kitchen and dining room empty. He had raced up the stairs and checked the bedroom, hoping that she had gone to bed to take a nap after what was sure to have been a busy night, but he found all three rooms with beds in empty. He checked the nursery, the office and the bathrooms but he still could not find her and it was only when he realised he had been in the house for a full ten minutes with no sign of Layla that he knew where she was.

Three Days Previously

Nick could hear the scratching from the French doors as he made his way into the kitchen and wondered how he had missed the sound of Layla whining before. He opened the door to her excited barks and lavished her with attention before he stood again and made his way out in the warm sunshine.

He hadn’t even walked five steps when he spotted her, he smiled at the sight before him. Adie was laid in one of the sun lounges on the decking that led out to the vast greenery of the back yard, having not heard his calls of her name because she was fast asleep. She lay stretched out her sunglasses covering her closed eyes, one hand resting on her large bump whilst the other rested above her head. It had only been two weeks since Nick had seen her last but petite bump she had been carrying around seemed to have grown considerably, the waist line of the scrubs she was wearing fitting only underneath the taught skin of her stomach. He made his way over to her, kneeling down and resting his hands in the arm of the chair for balance he softly called her name. She didn’t even stir.

It took another three attempts with him having to rub her arm before she sighed and started to wake.

“Hey,” she croaked when she finally awoke.

“Hi sugar puff, what are you doing out here?” He asked.

“I was going to eat my breakfast out here and then do some laundry but I guess I fell asleep,” she said as she moved in the chair, leaning in so she could kiss him. He pulled back from the kiss a few moments later, knocking over the glass of juice that had been by his foot when he stood up.

“Shit,” he mumbled as he bent down to retrieve the cup.

“Oh I’m in for it now,” Adie said making Nick turn his head to her in confusion, a smile crossing his face when he realised what she meant. “Molly knows your home.”

He bent down again, his hands cupping her bump as he placed a soft kiss to it. “Hey baby girl. She’s growing in there huh?” He commented, a large smile crossing his face when he looked up to her.

“Yep, the rate she’s going I’m going to need a crane to help me up, and a spinal transplant after she’s born,” she grimaced as she moved to get up from the chair.

“Well I have the perfect cure for you…”

***

She walked into the warm house and felt more relaxed then she had for the past six months. The two day break that Nick had arranged at the spa had been wonderful, a treat she hadn’t been expecting, but one she had gladly and eagerly accepted. At first she thought that he would be going with her, after all it had been two weeks for which they had been apart, and quality time with just the two of them was quickly coming to an end. She knew that in just over eight weeks time they would both be having to content with mid night wake up calls, dirty diapers, and pacifying a newborn, that was why she had been so surprised when he had told her that he was not going to be joining her, instead she would be going with her Mother and her Sister.

The two day break had been a nice opportunity to catch up with her Mom and Rachel, the three of them had spent most of the time giggling, reminiscing and preparing Adie for the apparent “horrors” that child birth had to offer. Adie had expressed that she was hoping for a quick labour like Rachel had been lucky enough to have with Max, but her Mom had soon reminded her that she herself had taken almost twenty six hours to make her entrance into the world. That thought had been looming with her ever since.

Up until that point she hadn’t really been thinking about the birth, her head had been mainly focused on how she and Nick could make their relationship better, and about how she had to ignore the negative comments that were still being posted about her. Was it naive to think that the birth would go off without a hitch? How would she cope if something was wrong with Molly after she was born? After all she herself had worked in paediatric intensive care, she had seen the many problems children could have that weren’t diagnosed pre birth. Then again so far all of her scans had been normal, Molly was growing at the correct rate she should be, she was moving around, there was no reason to believe that she wouldn’t be a normal healthy baby. She was only panicking because she was getting closer and closer to her due date, it was perfectly natural to have thoughts like that but she knew it was something she needed to share with Nick, if she could find him anyway.

He obviously hadn’t heard the door close, and when she investigated further she found that he wasn’t on the ground floor of the house. Adie made her way over to the stairs and listened for any movement and sure enough the soft strains of a radio could be heard.

“Babes? I’m home” she shouted as she leant against the banister of the stairs.

 “Up here,” came the reply, a hint that he wanted her to meet him.

“I swear your Daddy forgets that I have to lug you around with me,” She grumbled as, she climbed the stairs to where Nick was. She saw him waiting for her at the other end of the hallway.

“You have fun?” He asked, leaning down to place a small peck to her lips.

“Yeah, it was great, my back is actually not hurting for once,” she laughed.

“Good, I have another surprise for you,” he grinned.

“Oh really?” She asked raising her eyebrow to him.

“Yep but first you have to close your eyes,” He told her.

“Really?” She asked, scrunching her nose up slightly.

“Yes,” he insisted, holding out his hand to her and reluctantly she took hold of it as she closed her eyes.

“Are they closed?” he asked.

“Yep,” She replied.

“You sure?”

“Yes I’m sure but hurry because your daughter seems to think my bladder is a squeeze toy.”

“Oh so when she’s being bad she’s my daughter?” He asked as he led her further down the hallway.

“Yep when she wakes at three am for a feed she will definitely just be your daughter,” she told him, “Can I open them yet?”

“Just a second,” he told her as they came to a stop and she heard the creak of a door being opened, “Okay, now,” he told her.

She opened her eyes and took in the first glimpse of Molly’s completed nursery. When she had left it had just been a bare room with lilac walls, but now it was complete, the only thing lacking being Molly herself. She looked around the room, the white cot softened by a bumper covered in pink and purple flowers and butterflies, those characters mimicked across spaces on the wall, hand painted by whom she could only assume as Nick. The theme continued throughout the room, down the curtains the framed the window, even the butterfly rug that lay on the floor, a small play gym ready for her amusement when she would be old enough resting on top of it. Adie moved her head slowly around the room, a huge smile spreading across her face when the rocking chair to the side of the window came into her eye line, the pink and lilac theme dressing the soft cushions of that too. She had visions of sitting in it rocking slowly back and forth trying to get her daughter off to sleep as she watched the sun set, of watching Nick rock her back to sleep whilst softly singing to her in the early hours of the morning. It was perfect, completely perfect, he hadn’t missed anything, the sweet dreams plaque above the crib and her name on the door finishing off the room beautifully.

She stood beside him when he entered the room behind her and she wrapped her arm around his waist as she fought back the tears welling in her eyes. He looked down and obviously noticed the emotion flooding through her body as he too wrapped his own arm around her shoulders giving her a slight squeeze.

“Why are you crying?” He chuckled.

“Because I love it, it’s perfect, I really love it,” she laughed as she wiped her eyes.

 “You do?” He asked.

“Yeah,” she nodded. “How did you have time to do all this? I mean I thought the furniture wasn’t coming until today?”

“You have your Dad to thank for that, the furniture actually turned up about three hours ago. The delivery guys were probably going crazy with the amount of phone calls they were getting from me today,” he chuckled. “So I had to call in back up and get him over here to help me when it finally did turn up.”

“You have one great Daddy Molly,” she said as she rubbed her bump. “He’s a bit sly, but he’s great.”

“Sly?” He asked.

“Getting me out of the house under false pretences, telling me that I needed to relax, when it was all some ploy to not have me around so you could finish, that’s quite sly,” she smiled as she turned so she was stood in front of him, her other arm wrapping around his middle.

“It worked didn’t it?” He asked with a devilish smile, pulling her in closer.

“You do realise by squeezing me you have just pushed Molly further into my bladder and now I really have to go pee.”

“Go,” he said letting his arms drop from her shoulders as he rolled his eyes.

***

Nick walked into the main entrance of the ER and cringed out how busy it was for a week day, he could spot about two seats spare in the over crowded warm waiting room. That only meant one thing, Adie was going to be cranky as hell. She hadn’t slept well the night before, getting up at least three times to pee and once to take some gaviscon for heart burn, so when the alarm clock had gone off at six am she had been ready to explode. She had made so much noise that morning, slamming doors, traipsing loudly around the room, muttering loudly to herself, that he had almost reminded her that he actually didn’t have to be up that early. He had thought better of it eventually, knowing that she would only yell at him and then would probably ring him every thirty minutes once she got to work just to prove a point.

He shook his head at himself remembering a time when she had actually done that before. She had been on a week of nights and he had made the colossal mistake of going into her at two pm as she slept, he had woken her asking if she wanted a coffee, she had politely told him to fuck off and not to bother her again until it was at least five thirty. Again he had made the mistake of waking her at five pm instead of waiting the further half an hour, after all what was thirty minutes? Turned out that thirty minutes made all the difference in how she could function on a night shift, thirty minutes was the difference between nice Adie and cranky Adie with only one thing on her mind, revenge! She had telephoned him at two am, the only words muttered were “payback is a bitch!” She had then made sure the phone rang as near to every hour before dawn as she could. Needless to say it was the last time Nick had ever woken her again.

He smiled at Chelle as she buzzed him through the security doors but as he looked around the triage and curtain area of the ER he could not spot Adie.

“She’s just finishing up with a patient, you can wait here if you want,” Chelle offered pointing to the seat next to her.

“Thanks, how are you? I’ve not seen you in a while,” Nick asked as he sat in the computer chair.

“Good thanks, and you?” She asked as she carried on filling out some paperwork.

 “Yeah good,” He smiled when he spotted Adie walking towards him.

“Hey my bestest buddy,” Adie smiled as she reached the pair, her hands lightly squeezing Chelle’s shoulder.

“What do you want?” Chelle asked with a roll of her eyes.

“Can you keep an eye on my patients while I go upstairs?” She asked.

“How long are you going to be?” Chelle asked.

“Thirty minutes tops, it’s just a check up.”

“Tell me about them then.”

“Jordan Hayes twelve year old, complaining of abdo pain, tender in mid right quadrant, possible appendicitis waiting on surgical review. Has pain meds on board, slight fever, his mom is with him. Isabelle Barton three year old with lac to left cheek from falling against the side of a coffee table, do not let anyone from max fax near her until I get back,” She said.

“Why?” Chelle asked.

“Completely traumatised a kid last week by trying to numb the area without explaining. Long story just don’t let them near her till I get back. Then there is Lucy Franks she’s seven with possible UTI we’re just waiting on the labs. And obviously any other peads case that comes in is yours,” She smiled.

“Even though I’m not paeds trained?” Chelle smiled back.

“Hey I’m not adult trained and yet I still have to wipe their asses when you guys are short. Come one baby, get out me out of this hell hole for half an hour,” she said as she grabbed Nick’s hand.

He smiled at Chelle as he waved goodbye and followed her to the bank of elevators towards the left of the ER, letting her take the small file that contained all of the information about her pregnancy from his hands.

“Busy day?” he asked as they stepped on to the elevator when it arrived.

“Yep, it’s summer time which means kids are breaking limbs left right and centre by falling from trees and bikes and FYI we are never getting her a trampoline,” she told him as he pressed the button for the fifth floor.

“Why?” he laughed.

“Seven cases of broken bones in twenty minutes is why. I swear to god I have never seen that many broken bones in such a small amount of time from doing one thing. You know what she’s never going to be allowed to go outside period.”

 “That’s a bit mean don’t you think?” Nick chuckled.

“No. You know what if she’s as quiet as she’s been today she can just stay in there forever, at least then I don’t have to worry about broken limbs,” she smiled, placing her hand on top of his when she felt it press into her abdomen.

“Well lets just see if we can wake her up and remind you how much fun it is to have her resting under your ribs, or practising her kick boxing on you bladder,” he said as he pressed his hand in a bit further. He waited for the strong kick that usually followed a small frown crossing his face when he felt nothing. “Do you think she’s okay?” He asked his brow furrowing in concern.

“She’s just sleeping, you feel less movement towards the end of the pregnancy because there is less room for her to move around,” Adie told him taking his hand of her belly and interlacing their fingers as they walked off the elevator towards the OBGYN’s office.

She signed in at the reception desk and was told to go straight on in as Doctor McManus was waiting for them. They quickly made themselves comfortable in the large airy office, offering their hello’s to the middle aged doctor who smiled warmly at the couple.

“So Adie, how’ve you been feeling?” She asked as she placed the blood pressure cuff around Adie’s arm and let it automatically inflate.

“Tired,” she laughed, “And hot.”

“Well that’s to be expected,” she smiled back. “But you’ve been resting? Keeping your feet up as much as possible?” She asked.

“Yeah,” she nodded.

“Blood pressure looks good, your pulse rate is fine,” The doctor informed when the machine beeped with the readings.

“Any concerns?”

“No,” Adie replied as Nick also said something.

“She’s not been moving as much,” he said.

Adie rolled her eyes before saying, “I just told you. It’s because she’s getting bigger and there is not enough room. It happens at this stage of the pregnancy right?” She asked Dr McManus.

“It can start to yes. When was the last time you felt any movement from her?” She asked.

“Erm,” Adie thought back, “It was erm…when I got into work this morning, she turned, made me feel sick to my stomach.”

“What time do you start work?” Dr McManus asked.

“Seven thirty.”

“Five hours ago?” The Dr asked, not hiding the concern etched in her voice.

“I guess so,” Adie answered unsurely, “You know what it’s been so busy down stairs I haven’t to think let alone remember if she’s moved, I’m sure she has,” She said.

“Well why don’t we do a sonogram?”

“Really?” Adie asked, “I need to get back to work,” she said looking at the clock.

 “They can live without you for another ten minutes Adie,” Nick told her sternly.

“I’d just like to check everything is okay, put Nick’s mind at ease,” Dr McManus offered as she stood up and with a sigh Adie followed suit and headed over towards the table set up on the opposite side of the office.

Nick followed after her and sat down in the chair situated at the side of the bed, slipping his hands into hers after she had made herself comfortable. He laughed when flinched from the cold gel being squirted on her bare abdomen, but it was a smile that soon faded when the room remained eerily quiet. He had expected the strong whooshing of Molly’s tiny heart beating to greet his ears like it had almost immediately after the Dr placed the doppler to Adie’s stomach every other time. He watched as Dr Mcmanus frowned as she continued to move it around on Adie’s stomach.

“Sometimes they don’t pick up straight away, if you haven’t put enough jelly on it can sound really faint,” Adie told Nick as her grip on his hand tightened and it was then he knew that she wasn’t saying it to reassure only him, she was also saying to to try and reassure herself that everything was okay.

His heartbeat increased and he wasn’t sure whether it was his hands that were getting clammy or Adie’s but when he looked at the sad eyes of the doctor he knew. He knew even before she pulled the doppler away from Adie’s stomach, he knew before she even gripped Adie’s spare hand in her own, he knew before she even begun to utter any words and even though he knew what was coming, the words still cut threw him like a knife.

“Adie, Nick I’m so sorry but I can’t detect any evidence of a heart beat.”

End Notes:
I am ready for the hate mail! Bring it on! LOL!
Long Road To Ruin by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Adie and Nick deal with Molly's death

“Check it again,” Adie whispered calmly as she stared intently at the screen, scanning it for any movement. It had to be there, it just had to be. She had felt her moving last night, felt Molly’s tiny foot give her a harsh dig in the ribs. She had been up three times in the night to pee because Molly had been playing her usual game of thinking Adie’s bladder was her punch bag.

“Adie-” Dr McManus sympathetically said as she placed her hand over her patients.

 “No it’s there, it has to be there, you’re just not looking hard enough,” she said starting to become more hysterical with every word that left her mouth, the tears of realisation falling freely. This just couldn’t be happening, she was so far along now, her only worry had been about delivering early, about something happening to her after she was born, the thought of this happening had never even entered her mind. That’s why the Doctor had to be wrong, how could the child that she was carrying, nurturing, die before it even got a chance to live, a chance to breath? It just didn’t make sense. She had done everything right, she had read the books, she had rested, put her feet up as often as she could, hadn’t drank or smoked, so why had this happened? Sure there had been the accident at work when she was three and half months gone but everything had been fine, so why now? Why in her sixth almost seventh month had this happened?

“Adie I’ve been looking for almost ten minutes now, I still can’t find any eviden-”

“No she’s there; I felt her moving last night.” She grabbed the dopeler from the machine and started moving it aimlessly around her swollen stomach vainly attempting to hear the strong whooshing of her child’s heart beating, the beat that had been present only last week when she had been to another check up.

“It’s there, I heard it last week, it’s there I know it is, you didn’t look hard enough, you didn’t take enough time, it’s there…it’s there, it has to be the-”

He had been trying to take the shocking news in, to process it all, it just didn’t seem real, and it felt like it was some cruel joke. At first he thought that Adie was right, that she just hadn’t looked hard enough but the more he stared at the screen the more the realisation sunk in, his baby, their baby, Molly had died. He slowly turned his head from the still screen before him to Adie, who was still moving the doppler around her swollen stomach, becoming more and more irate and upset when the truth started to daunt on her.

“It’s there, it has to be, it- She repeated again.

“Adie,” he whispered, standing from where he had been sat, he gripped her hand tightly in his, “She’s gone.”

“No,” She shook her head as the tears continued to fall and he knew that in her head she understood, it was her heart that was having the difficulty catching up. He managed to hold back his own emotion as he leant his forehead against hers, his spare hand reaching for the Doppler.

“She’s gone,” he whispered again.

Dr McManus had left the pair for ten minutes to let the news sink in, to let them grieve in privacy but obviously things were more complicated then this just being a simple miscarriage. With a miscarriage Adie could have just gone home, could have just let nature take it’s course but being that their baby probably weighed around two pounds by now, she would have to deliver. It was quite clear that the thought hadn’t even crossed her mind when Dr McManus returned to talk to them about what happened next. Adie started outside the window as the Doctor situated herself behind the desk, her hand gripped onto Nick’s for dear life, and her tears fell silently as he left hand rested on her bump, her thumb stroking it softly every so often.

Nick tried to concentrate on what was being said because he knew that Adie wasn’t paying any attention, the shock of the news they had just received still too raw making it too difficult for her to concentrate on anything else. He was having a hard time himself, missing a few words here and there but Dr McManus explained that it was nothing that Adie had done wrong, that it was just something that occasionally happened, and that once the Baby was born they might then understand why it had occurred but that there was also the possibility that they might never find out the reasoning behind her death. Nick nodded along, occasionally applying a bit more pressure to Adie’s hand to remind her that she wasn’t alone but he still wasn’t sure if she even hearing a word of what was being said. She soon made her presence known when Dr McManus broached the topic of how they would proceed next.

“We’ll get you set up with an epidural-“ She began.

“I have to go through labour?” Adie managed to choke out, her head turning towards the Doctor.

She nodded solemnly, “Yes. We’ll set you up with an epidural and we can add in a PCA if you’d like, then we’ll give you the Pitocin to star-”

The scraping of Adie’s chair against the floor of the office drowned out the rest of what Dr MacManus said, and Nick wasn’t even sure if she actually finished all she wanted to say as Adie stood abruptly from her seat, pulling her hand from his.

“I’m not doing this,” she said sternly as she headed towards the door.

“Adie,” He called after her, also standing from his seat as he watched her walk towards the door.

“I know this is difficult to talk about Adie but we really need to start this today,” The Doctor told her as she also stood.

“No,” Adie said as she shook her head, “No we don’t because you’re wrong and I’m not doing this.”

“Adie,” Nick called as he watched her yank the door open and almost run through it, he made a move to follow her as he called her name again but the Doctor stopped him.

“Let her go,” she said as she placed a comforting hand on Nick’s shoulder. “I can’t imagine how hard this news is but we really do need to deliver the baby.”

“How long can we wait?” Nick asked. “Up to a week, after that it puts Adie at risk for haemorrhaging and infection but in my experience it’s better psychologically to start things as soon as possible. The longer we wait, the more time she has to convince herself that this isn’t real, the longer we wait the harder it is going to be for her and you to say goodbye,” she told him.

Nick nodded slowly, his eyes focusing on his shoes as he felt the tears begin to fall, he apologised quickly when they first one slid down his cheek.

“Don’t apologise, is there someone I can call for you?” She asked as she handed him a tissue but Nick shook his head no. “Do you have any questions?”

“How long will it take?”

“To deliver?” She asked and he nodded, “It’s difficult to say but for a first pregnancy it could be anywhere from four to sixteen hours.”

“You can’t give her a c-section?” He asked.

“It’s better in the long run for Adie to deliver naturally, her recovery will be shorter, and c-sections can cause problems for other pregnancies, she’d have internal scarring and scar tissue doesn’t stretch brilliantly, if she were to get pregnant again it could cause issues.”

“Do I just bring her back up here?” Nick asked.

“Yeah, I’m going to clear my other appointments for this afternoon and I’ll let reception know that you’ll be coming back up at some point, but if you want to go home and pack her a bag then feel free to do that. My numbers on here,” she said as she handed him a card. “If you have any problems call me, if you want me to come and speak to Adie when you find her then I will.”

“Thank you.”

“Take your time, don’t rush her.”

Nick made his way out of the office but instead of turning right to where the stairs and elevators were, he headed left and made his way into the bathrooms. He made is way into one of the stalls quickly, locking the door behind him he was thankful that the room was empty. The tears were falling before he even managed to sit down, he closed his eyes and covered his face in his hands as he let them fall, trying in vain to quiet the sobs escaping his lips in case someone did walk in.

He just didn’t understand why it had happened. Adie had done everything right, Molly had been doing so well at all their other check ups, she had been kicking so much yesterday, he remembered how sick Adie had been feeling because of all the turning she had been doing. He remembered watching in amazement as one side of Adie’s stomach would go completely flat whilst the other bulged when Molly would move, he had been sure that the skin would rip and out she would come like some scene from Alien. So how could something that had been so active and full of life only yesterday be dead only twenty four hours later? It just didn’t make any sense and like Adie, he had first thought that the Doctor had been wrong, but no one would deliver news like that unless they were absolutely sure. Now all he had to do was convince Adie of that.

He managed to calm his breathing before he blew his nose into a piece of the toilet paper. He let himself out of the stall and splashed his face with cold water, trying to clear his face of the evidence that he had been crying before he walked out of the bathroom to the place where he knew she would be.

The ER remained packed, it actually looked even busier then it had half an hour previously. Nick knew this would be the first place she would head, it was familiar, it was normal, here she could focus on other people’s problems rather then her own, here she could still pretend that everything was okay. He scanned the admissions desk but there was no sign of her, in fact there was no sign of anyone that he knew and so he hung back until he spotted Chelle with a patient. He made his way over to her slowly, tapping her on the shoulder gently to get her attention.

“What are you still doing here?” She asked.

“I need to see Adie,” he said softly.

“Are you okay?” She asked obviously noting his sombre mood and red rimmed eyes.

“No I’m not, can I talk to you?”

“Sure,” she said worriedly before she turned to her patient, “Mr Jacobs I’ll be right back but if you could slip into this gown that would be really great.”

She lead Nick into one of the private consultation rooms, making sure to close the door behind her and close the blinds before asking, “What’s going on?”

“Is she here?” He asked.

Chelle nodded, “Yeah, she’s in with a kid helping max fax suture, you guys had a fight or something?”

“How did she seem?” Nick asked.

“She’s was a little off but she’s been a little off all day, she’s tired and pregnant,” Chelle laughed, a frown soon covering her face when Nick dropped his head to the floor and began to cry. “What? Nick what’s going on?” She asked concerned.

“The baby’s dead,” he said quietly his face not looking up from the ground.

 “What?” Chelle asked shocked.

“They did a sonogram and couldn’t…there was no heartbeat, she died.”

“Nick I am so sorry,” Chelle told him as she wrapped her arm around him in a hug. “Did she freak?”

“She was upset but I thought she accepted it because she sat when the doctor wanted to speak to us. It was when she started to discuss delivering the baby and what happens now that she got up and left, she said she didn’t believe the doctor, that she was wrong,” He told her as he pulled away from the hug.

“And then she came back here,” Chelle finished for him. “She seemed….she came back down and I filled her in about what had happened with her patients, she seemed kind of quiet but I just figured she was tired. Her eyes were slightly red and puffy but she’s cried at every sonogram. She told me she was fine, that Molly was fine.”

“Well she’s not and I have no idea how I’m going to convince her to go back upstairs,” he sighed as he wiped at his eyes.

“Do you want me to talk to her?” Chelle asked.

“I think I’m definitely going to need your help.”

“Of course. I uh…” she hesitated, “I’m going to have to tell Mike, he’s the charge nurse today. He needs to know.”

“Yeah” Nick agreed, “We might need him too.”

***

“You are so brave Isabelle,” Adie praised as she held the little girls head still whilst the Resident sutured the deep cut to her cheek. “Do you like stickers?”

“Uh huh.” “Well I think you definitely deserve one after this because you have been such a good girl.” She smiled down at the small girl, wondering if Molly would ever sit this still if she was required to or whether she would be a little hellion like a lot of patients Adie had treated had been like in the past. If what she had just been told was true then Adie would never get the chance to know, she would never know what her favourite Disney character would be, whether she would be like Nick and not like strawberries, she would never get to learn her favourite colour, her favourite song, her favourite TV programme, that was why it had to be wrong. She sniffed back a few tears making the Resident look up to her.

“Are you okay?” He asked.

“Hay fever, just been outside before this,” she lied with a smile as she looked to him. He smiled in understanding and dipped his head again to concentrate on the task at hand and that was when Adie saw Nick leant against the admit desk watching her. She turned her head, smiling down at the child brightly, knowing that when the door opened she was going to have to face something that she just wanted to run away from.

She heard it squeak sooner then she had wanted and when she heard Mike call her name, she just wanted to ignore him but she didn’t, she just looked to him with a smile.

“Can I talk to you for a second?” He asked.

“I’m a bit busy at the moment Mike,” she said nodding to the child’s head she was holding.

“It’s important,” He told her.

“We’re all done here anyway,” The Resident from Max fax piped up as he applied the dressing over the sutures, as he began to give verbal instructions to Isabelle’s Mother.

“Can I have my sticker now?” Isabelle asked.

“Of course sweetie,” Adie smiled as she tore off the apron and gloves she had been wearing, she deposited them in the bin before she washed her hands. She made her way past Mike, her head turned in the opposite direction the whole time. She didn’t look at Nick when she had to walk past him to get to the desk, she even moved her body when he leant out to reach for her arm.

“Adie?” Chelle asked from behind her when she opened the drawer that contained the stickers only to find it empty.

“Whose moved the stickers?” She asked.

“Adie I’m so sorry,” Chelle offered. She turned and looked at her best friend, not missing how Nick had moved in to trap her exit from the desk.

“Did you move them?” She asked Chelle as she slammed the drawer shut before opening the one below. When they weren’t visible in that one she slammed it shut and knelt down to open the other drawer.

Nick watched her, realising quickly that her resolve was slipping, he couldn’t see her face but he knew that she was crying silent tears, he knew from the way she had avoided him that she realised that this was all real, that this was actually happening. He also knew that she wouldn’t give in until she was ready, no matter how hard you pushed and that was why he just stood back and watched, ready to catch her when she would finally break. Her tirade over the missing stickers continued.

“I wish people would just leave the things for peads alone, they go in the fucking top drawer!” She exclaimed loudly.

“Adie what are you doing?” Mike asked as he stood beside Nick.

“Trying to find the stickers. You need to bring this up at the next staff meeting Mike. I promise a child a sticker for being good and then I have to go in there and tell her that she can’t have one,” she said her breathing becoming erratic as more tears started to fall. Nick bit his lip to stop his own tears from falling, knowing her break was imminent.

“Adie,” Chelle tried again.

“She deserves a sticker, she was so brave, I promised her, she was so brave, she was so brave,” she repeated before she slumped to the floor her hands covering her face as she sobbed into them. Nick was quickly by her side, he sat down against the chest of drawers just beneath the desk and held her as she cried, rocking her back and forth.

“It’s okay,” he whispered.

“She’s gone,” Adie sobbed, “I don’t want her to be gone.”

“I know, but she is and we have to say goodbye.”

***

It had taken almost half an hour to console Adie to the point where she could actually be moved from the floor of the admission area of the ER and even then they had only been able to move her to the staff room within the same department. She had slumped against the uncomfortable, thread bare couch and that was where she had stayed, her knuckles white as she held Nick’s hand so tightly in hers. She didn’t say a word as Nick, Chelle and Mike discussed things around her, all she did was stare at her own reflection in the glass of the door that led out of the room. All she focused on was the shape of her tummy, all she concentrated on was trying to feel the slightest bit of movement from within it. But it never came.

Nick watched her out of the corner of his eye as he spoke with Mike and Chelle, he knew she wasn’t paying any attention to what was going on around her, she looked as if she was almost in a trance, trapped in her own world and he wondered what was going through her mind at that point. At that point in time he was scared, scared about the thoughts running through her mind, scared about the awful hours they were sure to endure, but most of all he was scared about the long term effects that this situation would not only have on her but on their relationship. How on earth were they going to get though it and come out whole on the other side? Was this just another way of fate telling them that they were not meant to be together? He couldn’t think about that, all he needed to concentrate on was what was happening at that precise moment and he knew that he needed to get her upstairs.

“Do you want me to call upstairs and let them know you are on the way?” Mike offered.

Nick finally broke his gaze from Adie as he replied, “I think we’re going to go home first, get some stuff.”

“I can’t go home,” he heard Adie whisper from beside him.

“Huh sweetie?” He asked.

“I said I can’t go home,” she repeated, her eyes still fixed on the door.

“You need some clothes sugar puff.”

“If I go home I’m not going to come back,” she admitted softly.

“Then I’ll go by myself,” he told her.

“No,” she said panicked her head turning to him quickly. “No don’t leave me.”

“Okay I won’t, I won’t go anywhere,” he told her before placing a soft kiss to her forehead.

“How about I go get you some stuff?” Chelle offered before turning to Mike to ask if it was okay that she leave considering she was still working.

“It’s fine.”

It had taken a further hour for them pair to make their way up to the OBGYN floor. Every so often Adie would say that she was ready, that maybe they should start heading up there but every time she failed to move and every time Nick just nodded in agreement but continued to sit beside her. He wasn’t ready to go just like she wasn’t but he knew he was going to have to be the one to move, then he knew she would follow, he was going to have to be the strong one throughout this whole ordeal, even though he wanted nothing more then to hide in a dark room and never come out.

She wouldn’t meet his eyes, not even when they were sat face to face as he held both of her hands in his whilst the anaesthesiologist administered her epidural. He wanted to say something but words escaped him, after all what could he say to make her feel better? He knew anything anyone tried to say to him wouldn’t work.

“Okay Adie, the local is in so all you should feel is some pressure as the epidural goes in okay?” He asked.

“Okay,” she nodded.

“I just need you to bend forward slightly so your back is nice and round.”

She did as he asked, her eyes closing as she waited for him to continue and Nick didn’t miss the slight wince that crossed her face when the needle punctured her skin. He squeezed her hands tightly in support.

“You okay?” He whispered and she nodded that she was.

“Okay that should start to kick in shortly. If you feel it’s not strong enough or you start to get tingling in your arms or hands have Dr McManus page me okay?” He said as he tore the gloves from his hands.

“Okay,” she mumbled as she made herself comfortable in the bed, her back resting against the mountain of pillows behind her. Nick watched as he left, hating how cold and sterile the room felt when they were left alone in the silence that seemed to engulf them. He turned his gaze back to her but she was just staring aimlessly out of the window, they couldn’t spend the next however many hours it was like they were now but he had no idea what he could do. All he wanted to do was run out of the door and never come back but he couldn’t leave her to deal with this awful situation herself.

“You want me to call your Mom?” He asked. Having Izzy with them would be good, a buffer almost, she would know what to do, what to say. She would be someone who could stay with Adie if Nick needed to get away, even if was just for a few moments because he knew there were going to be periods through this ordeal that he was going to find so hard. Adie didn’t need to support him through this, she had enough going on, he had to be strong for her, he could break down on his own.

“No” she answered sternly, “I don’t want anybody to know.”

“They’re going to find out eventually,” he reminded.

“I know that,” she bit back. “I just…they’ll only come now and I…this is hard enough…please don’t call them.”

“Okay,” he nodded. “Will you be okay if I run to the bathroom real quick?”

“Yeah,” she said as she let go of his hand so he could go.

“I’ll be right back,” he said as he made his way out of the room, almost immediately bumping in to Dr McManus.

“Did she get her epidural?” She asked.

“Yeah.”

“I was just about to go in and give her the pitocin.”

“Can you wait till I get back?” He asked.

“Sure. Have you called anyone?” She asked.

“She doesn’t want her parents to know, not yet anyway,” he told her.

“What about your parents?” She asked softly.

“I uh…they’re not local and uh to be honest I…we don’t speak,” he stumbled.

“It’s really important that you have some support Nick.”

“I’m here for her,” he said.

“I’m not talking about Adie. You may be all the support she needs but you’ve just lost a child too, you need some support too. If there is anyone you trust, anyone who you know who could support you, they don’t have to come here, they can just be on the phone but please don’t think you have to be strong. I’ll come back in about twenty minutes okay?”

“Okay,” he nodded.

 “Think about what I said,” she said as she walked in the opposite direction.

He knew the Doctor was right, he knew he needed someone and so he dug around in his pocket for his cell phone. He walked into a small alcove that held a few vending machines and flipped through his contacts. His first though had been to call Alex, after all he was the nearest geographically but that then raised the issue of going back on what he said to Adie. There was no way Alex would be able to keep it from Rachel and in turn he knew Rachel, thinking she would be doing the best thing for Adie, would then tell their parents. There was no way in hell Izzy and Stuart Jones would let the pair go through the situation alone and even though Nick wanted nothing more then for them to both be there, he knew he couldn’t do that to Adie.

He found the number of the person who he had been able to rely on for years, the number of a person who he would trust with his life and quickly hit the call button, sucking in a deep breath when he answered.

“It’s Nick, I really need you.”

End Notes:
Let me know what you think!
Now That She's Gone by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Molly is born and Nick and Adie start to fall apart

Nick stared at the choices of soda before him it shouldn’t have been that hard to choose but yet he couldn’t decide, the sign for the can of coke becoming a blur the more he stood there and stared at it. He punched the first button that his fist came into contact with but instead of retrieving the can from the bottom of the machine he left it there and walked away. He couldn’t say why he stopped where he did, maybe it was just to punish himself but for what he didn’t know. He stared down at the newborns in front of him, some wrapped in pink, others in blue wanting so desperately to see a name tag that said Carter, that name tag was above the bassinet that was in Adie’s room though and he knew that on the small table on the opposite side of the room was both a birth certificate and a death certificate.

He placed a palm against the window that separated him from the nursery and just stared ahead at all the perfect tiny babies that were held within. He wanted to know why. Why were all these babies alive and not Molly? Why did he and Adie have to be put through this? Why were they going to have to bury their daughter?

“Nick?” He heard the voice from behind him but he didn’t turn, he couldn’t take his eyes off the newborn baby girl in front of him, what he wouldn’t have given for it to be Molly.

“Sweetie?” He heard a softer voice ask, “What are you doing here?”

He still didn’t move or speak, instead he offered up a small shrug. He didn’t know what he was doing, he didn’t know how he managed to get through the past eight hours like he had, and he didn’t know how he could go back into the small room and face Adie. He didn’t protest when he was pulled into a hug, instead he wrapped his arms around Kevin’s middle and sobbed into his shoulder.

He wasn’t sure how long they had stood there for but eventually he let himself be led along the corridor, his hand wrapped in Kristin’s as she made him sit down. He felt her sit beside him, her hand never leaving his and although his eyes were peeled to his feet he knew Kevin was sat opposite on him, perched on the small table.

“I didn’t know who else to call, sorry to drag you all the way down here,” he mumbled. He felt Kristin’s free hand grip his chin lightly as she moved his head up, making him look at her concerned eyes.

“Don’t you dare apologise Nick,” she told him sternly.

“You know you can call us day or night for anything Nick,” Kevin told him making Nick nod in agreement. “Has…has she been born?” Kevin asked hesitantly. Nick only nodded as he fell into the crook of Kristin’s shoulder, his silent tears falling whilst he thought back on the previous few hours.

It was wrong, all so wrong Nick thought to himself as he held her hand and encouraged her to push one last time. He wanted to be anywhere but where he was at that precise moment, it was taking so much energy to keep his legs from walking towards the door but no matter how hard he knew it felt for him it must have been a million times worse for Adie. The past six hours had dragged by excruciatingly slow, the silence between them suffocating but whenever he opened his mouth to try and say something words failed him. He had been so glad when she had fallen asleep for a few hours, at least she managed to escape their awful reality even if it had been short lived. Nick watched her, her whole face turning red as she pushed with all of her might but he knew the tears that were falling silently from her face were not caused by any physical pain that she might have been feeling, it was from all the emotional pain crushing her heart.

“She’s out Adie,” Dr McManus softly said. “Would you like to hold her?”

Adie fell back against the pillows, her head turning immediately towards the window. She shook her head as she choked out a “No.”

He wiped his own eyes as he helplessly watched the Doctor cut the umbilical chord and hand the small lifeless body to the nurse. He looked to Adie, her face still turned from his but he could tell by the way her shoulders were shaking that she was crying yet still he couldn’t think of anything to say to her, so instead he bought the hand he still had clasped in his to his lips and placed a small kiss to it. He kept hoping that any minute a piercing cry of a newborn would fill the room, that she would wake up and be fine, that Molly would prove the Doctors wrong but he finally accepted the truth when more then five minutes had passed. He wanted to go to her, to see her, he wanted to know if she looked like Adie or like him, he wanted to see the tiny hands and feet that had poked him through the skin of Adie’s stomach. He was torn because he didn’t want to leave Adie’s side, he didn’t want to cause her more pain by bringing the subject up. She must have sensed his dilemma because he felt her pull her hand out of his, he looked to her questioningly but her face was still in the opposite direction and he knew it was her way of letting him know he could go to Molly if he wanted to.

He took a shaky breath and pushed himself up from the seat that he had occupied before he slowly made his way over to the bassinette. He peered down and looked at the tiny face peeking out from beneath the blankets. She was tiny, so small that Nick was sure she would have fitted easily within the palm of one of his hands, she looked as if she was sleeping, the only giveaway that she wasn’t was the blue tinge around her lips. Her features were tiny, tiny but perfect, she reminded Nick of the doll Angel always used to carry around with her, the one question he had been wanting to know all along finally answered, she had taken after Adie, dark hair covering her small head.

“Does she have a name?” The nurse asked softly.

He nodded, answering, “Molly. Just Molly.”

He stroked a finger down the side of her cheek, the coolness of her skin making his heart break that bit more. She was his daughter, he was supposed to protect her, to teach her how to ride a bike without training wheels, to scare the monsters that hid in the closet away. He would never be able to do that.

“I uh…I need to get back to her,” Nick said as he pulled away from Kristin.

“I can go and sit with her for a while,” Kevin offered.

“NO,” Nick said quickly, “No she doesn’t know you’re here, she doesn’t…she didn’t want anybody to know, not yet.”

“Do you want us to hang around? Do you want us to call anybody?” Kristin offered.

“No you guys should go,” Nick said as he wiped his hands down his face in an effort to try and wake himself up some more, “Where’s Mason anyway?”

“With my Mom,” Kevin told him.

Nick nodded as he dug around in his pants pocket, pulling his key chain out he handed the house key to Kevin, “Take my key, I don’t know if I’ll be back tonight or not.”

“You sure you want us to go?” Kevin asked.

“Yeah,” he nodded.

“You call if want us to come back okay?” Kristin told him as she squeezed his hand.

“Okay.”

***

Adie could feel the pins and needles shooting down one of her legs, a sure sign that her epidural was starting to ware off, she knew what she needed to do to combat the annoying feeling and that was to move. That was the problem, moving meant laying on her back or turning onto her right side, Molly would be in her line of sight if she did that. She understood why they hadn’t just taken her straight away, it was so she and Nick could spend some time alone with her in private, so that they could meet her and then get to say goodbye but she didn’t want that. She didn’t want to have to meet her daughter only to fall in love with her before she would have to say goodbye forever and it was at that moment she wished she had refused the epidural so she could get up and walk away.

She glanced to the clock and noted that Nick had left over twenty minutes ago. He said he was going to use the bathroom, something he had done quite a lot of during the whole labour process but she knew he was lying. She hadn’t mentioned it, knowing that if she could have, she would have had as many bathroom breaks too. She was torn because she wanted nothing more then to curl up next to him, to wrap her arms so tightly around him and never let go but at the same time she didn’t want to be anywhere near him, the reminder that she had lost their baby, his baby to constant when she thought about him. Was it always going to be like that? Would she look at him and always be reminded of this day? Would she look at him and always feel the guilt tearing away at her insides like it was now? Could she bare to stay with him if they were the only emotions she would ever feel again?

She didn’t get anymore time to dwell on that thought, the sound of the door opening tearing her from her mind. Just from the hesitation she knew it was Nick, he didn’t say anything, didn’t walk round so he was in her eye line and she had clue what he was doing, he was probably just watching her, the same thoughts that had been running through her mind plaguing his.

When she heard him sniff she knew she had been wrong, when she heard him sniff back the tears Adie knew he was with Molly and she swallowed the lump that had formed in her throat hoping that it wouldn’t bubble to the surface in a sob. She wiped the tears from her cheeks, remaining silent, hoping that if she closed her eyes he would think that she was sleeping. Hoping that he would tell the next nurse that came in to take the baby away. She was sorely disappointed when he started speaking.

“They’re going to take her soon,” he stated. Adie remained silent. “You need to say goodbye Adie, you need to hold her and say goodbye,” he managed to choke out.

She didn’t move from where she was, she didn’t say anything but the small hiccup of emotion that escaped her lips was enough to let him know that she was awake, that she was listening to what he saying.

“She’s beautiful,” He continued, “She’s got your colour hair.”

“Stop it,” Adie managed to choke out.

“If you don’t say goodbye properly I think you’re going to regret it for the rest of your life. Do you want that?” He asked and she shook her head no.

“I…I don’t…I can’t say goodbye,” She cried.

“I know, I don’t want to either but we have to. Do you…I’m going to bring her over okay?” He said not giving her the choice.

Adie moved off of her side and onto her back, she pushed on the palms of her hands and moved so she was sat up, her back resting against the pillows and when she opened her eyes she immediately wanted to close them again. It shouldn’t have been the way it was, she should have been welcoming this moment, Nick should have been smiling at her through his tears, the room should have been filled with the sound of a newborns cries but instead it was quiet and cold. She wiped at her eyes before Nick gently placed the bundle of blankets in her arms it took her a moment but finally she found the strength to look down at the small baby in her arms, the sobs she had tried so hard to repress coming out so hard she was finding it hard to catch her breath. She felt Nick wrap his arms round her shoulder and she buried her head in the crook of his neck. They stayed that way for a while, neither saying anything until they were interrupted by the shrill ring of a cell phone.

“It’s mine,” Adie sniffed. Nick followed the ring, eventually finding the phone in the pocket of Adie’s scrubs that had been placed on the chair by the window.

“It’s your Mom,” he told her, then reminding, “We’re supposed to be having dinner there.” “I don’t want them coming here.” “Should I tell them?” He asked unsurely.

“I don’t care I just don’t want them coming here.” Nick slid his finger across the screen of the I phone and bought the phone to his ear, “Hi Izzy, it’s Nick. Something’s come up and we’re not going to be able to make dinner tonight.”

Adie zoned out as Nick finished the rest of the conversation her gaze drifting down towards Molly, she was so perfect, a part of each of them and yet her life had been taken before it had even begun. The only reason Adie could come up with was that she was being punished for aborting her first child but that didn’t seem fair, not for Molly anyway, she hadn’t done anything wrong but yet here she was paying for her Mother’s mistake. She hadn’t even realised the Nick was next to her again, his long finger stroking Molly’s cheek.

“We love you very much and we are never going to forget about you but you have to go and play with the angels,” He softly told her. The tenderness of his voice making Adie break into sobs again.

***

It had been an hour since Molly had been taken from them, an hour since Adie had been wheeled into smaller room on a different floor of the hospital and she didn’t know whether being away from all the new mothers with healthy babies was a blessing or not. It didn’t make her forgot what had happened to her that was sure. The sensation to the lower part of her body was starting to return but as she tried to move into a comfier position, pain shot across her lower abdomen.

“You okay?” Nick asked concerned, obviously not missing the look that had crossed her face.

“I’m fine, epidural just warring off.”

“You want me to get somebody?” He asked as he stood from the chair that he had been sitting in.

“No.”

Nick watched as her gaze fell to the TV that was playing some mind numbingly crap game show, he knew she wasn’t watching it, he knew that she was lost inside of her own head and he wanted so badly to break her out of her private prison but he just didn’t know how to. He watched her for a long time, noticing how the sparkle in her eyes that had been present only that morning had seemed to disappear, she looked exhausted yet he knew she wouldn’t be able to sleep and all he wanted to do was hold her and tell her everything was going to be okay, that they were going to get past this. Yet he didn’t know that for sure, because at that point in time he didn’t know what the future held for them.

There was a knock at the door before it opened and Dr McManus made her way into the room.

“I know it’s a stupid question but how are you feeling?” She asked Adie as she took a seat on the opposite side of the bed to Nick.

“I just want to know when I can go home,” Adie mumbled.

“That’s what I came to talk to you about actually. I’d like to keep in you in for a few days.”

“I feel fine, I just want to go home.”

“I’d like to run a few tests before I let you go.”

“Why?” Nick asked.

“When we examined your placenta we found some clots, I think the clots obstructed the blood flow to the baby, which obstructed the oxygen she was getting. It could indicate that you have something Hugh’s syndrome Adie. Do you know what that is?”

Nick snaked his hand into Adie’s watching as she shook her head no.

“Hughes syndrome is a clotting disorder, it’s not known why but some antibodies in your blood mistakenly think that a type of fat called phospholipids is a bacteria and it triggers an autoimmune response which causes your blood to clot.”

“So it caused clots because I was pregnant?” Adie asked.

“It doesn’t just occur when your pregnant, it’s something you are going to have had since birth but it does effect pregnancies and sometimes that’s the only way we can diagnose it because like your case you’ve had no other symptoms,” Dr McManus told the pair.

“What are the other symptoms?” Nick asked.

“Deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism, heart attacks, stroke, repeated miscarriages,” She said as she took Adie’s other hand in her own. “It’s good that we found out about this now Adie because if it is Hughes syndrome then it’s very treatable, all you would need to do is take one aspirin tablet a day.”

“So what tests do you need to do?” Nick asked.

“I just need to do a blood test-”

“Why can’t I just go home after that?” Adie asked.

“I want to check you out for D.V.T’s, you’ve done a lot of long haul travelling this past year and I just want to play it safe. We’ll get you set up for a dopler study tomorrow morning and if it’s negative then you can go home after that. Do you have any questions?” She asked

“If I’d known about this before I got pregnant…would…would she have been okay?” Adie stuttered.

“It’s likely that she would have been okay but now we know there is nothing to stop you carrying a pregnancy to term and having a healthy baby in the future. I know it’s probably the furthest thought on you remind right now but you can always try again.”

After the Doctor left the room was once again plunged into silence but Nick knew he couldn’t bare it anymore, he had to say something, even if it was the worst question in the world.

“Are you okay?”

“It’s my fault,” she mumbled. “It’s my fault, I should have known, I should realised.”

“You listen to me,” Nick told her as he stood and cupped her face between his hands, “This is not your fault, don’t blame yourself for this.”

“But it is my fault, I killed her,” she said her tears slipping making Nicks hands wet.

“No you didn’t, you didn’t know anything about this, this is not your fault,” he told her more sternly.

“You should go home,” She said as she moved her head towards the window again.

“I’m not going anywhere,” He said, trying to hold in a sigh as he sat back down.

“I want you to go.”

“Why?” He asked, knowing that this was just going to be the beginning of a very slippery slope for them.

“I want to sleep and I can’t do that with you watching my every move. I’ll call you in the morning to let you know when I need to be picked up,” she said as she moved more onto her side so that her back was facing him. He was silent for a few moments but he knew that he needed to respect her wishes, that maybe sleep would come easier for her if she was alone.

“Okay, I’ll go but if you want me to come back then just call me okay?” He said watching her nod. He leant down and placed a small kiss to the top of her head before he reminded her, “I love you.”

The nod she gave him hurt more then anything, more then having to watch her give birth, more then having lost his daughter because he knew that once again she was retreating into herself.

The difference this time was that he wasn’t sure if he was ever going to be able to pull her back.

End Notes:
Please review guys.
The Pieces Don't Fit Here Anymore by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Adie distances herself from Nick

It had been nine days since Molly had been born, nine days since she passed and three days since she had been laid to rest. People had told Nick that things would get better with time, that things would get easier but he just wasn’t sure if he trusted their words. We’re they just said out of kindness? The only thing people could really say to try and offer some comfort in the dark time that he and Adie were going through? Because at that point the couldn’t see the light at the end of the tunnel, he couldn’t believe there would be a point where they could ever get back to where they were before and that was what scared him more then anything, that Molly’s death would be the death of their relationship. He didn’t want that, he loved Adie too much to let her slip away but he also knew that no matter how hard he clung to her, if she wanted to pull away there would be no stopping her.

She had started to pull away the night she asked him to leave the hospital and since then things had just gotten worse. He wasn’t sure what happened in the twelve hours he wasn’t by her side but it was almost as if they Adie he knew disappeared, she turned into the shell of the person who he remembered. Her answers were short and curt, when he leant in to kiss her she moved so his lips could only connect with her cheek, she crossed her arms over her chest as they walked out of the hospital so he couldn’t hold her hand, she even flinched when he placed his hand to the small of her back protectively. He had hoped that once the funeral had taken place that she might have started to open up more, that it would have given her some sort of closure but in reality all it did was make things worse.

She almost hadn’t turned up.

The morning of the funeral she woken up and headed towards the bathroom, he heard the water running signifying that the tub was being filled and made a mental note to keep and eye on the time, knowing how easily time seemed to drift away from her when she reclined in the warm water. He knocked on the door at ten thirty to remind her that they needed to leave in an hours time and again thirty minutes later when she still had not emerged. He sat and waited on the bed but he didn’t expect what happened after that. She opened the door and instead of being dressed in the outfit her Mother helped her pick out the day before she was back in her P.J’s. He had asked her why she wasn’t dressed her only reply being that she wasn’t going. He didn’t try and coax her, didn’t say another word, he couldn’t deal with it right then, he couldn’t deal with arguing with her before he was going to have to say a final goodbye to his daughter so he just got up and left the room.

Once Rachel had found out about her sisters behaviour she had gone up to try and see if she could convince Adie to come down but she too returned only five minutes later unsuccessful in her attempt. Izzy was next and Nick didn’t miss the flash of determination in her eyes, it was the same one Adie got when she was certain to succeed at something. It amazed him how two people could be so alike, it was like he was getting a chance to see how Adie was going to be in thirty years, because at the rate things were going he knew he probably wouldn’t be there to see it for himself. Izzy also lost her temper as quickly as Adie did and when Nick went to retrieve his shoes from the bottom of the stairs he could hear Izzy’s shrill voice telling her daughter exactly what she thought of her behaviour. What was more concerning was the not once did he hear Adie try and defend herself, it wasn’t like her at all because if she was backed into a corner, if someone was screaming at her she would scream back louder to get her point across, very rarely did she ever just sit there and take it. Izzy had returned a few moments later but Adie was nowhere in sight, she had taken Nick’s hand in her own and shook her head solemnly, all he could do was sigh as she led him towards the front door of the house. He shared a look with Stuart who immediately understood his request but that almost caused another argument when Izzy didn’t agree with him staying behind.

“So your not going to say goodbye to your granddaughter either?” She had hissed.

“No Isabelle my daughter needs me,” He had told her sternly as he walked towards the stairs of the house.

Izzy didn’t argue any further, she just squeezed Nick’s hand as Angel wrapped her arm around his waist from the other side. Nick had sat in the back of the car not really hearing anything that was going on around him, not really caring. All he wanted was to feel Adie’s hand in his rather then Izzy’s, all he wanted to do was to look to his left and see Adie sitting beside him rather then Kristin. He knew she was hurting, he knew how upsetting this day was going to be because he was also going through it, the same emotions she was feeling were wracking his own body, if he could he would avoided this day at all costs too. But that was the difference right there, instead of running from his problems, he faced them head on, he knew it wasn’t going to be easy but it was something he knew he had to do because if he had just stayed in bed like Adie was he knew eventually he would regret not saying goodbye properly, he knew it would eat at him for the rest of his life. There was no way she was going to be able to live with that guilt when she realised what a mistake she had made, after all look at how the guilt of the abortion had effected her.

The day had been bright and warm, not a cloud in the sky as the group of people in black made their way towards the cemetery, the mass of balloons trying to escape from each of their hands. That had been Nick’s idea, hell all the planning had been down to him, because if he had waited for Adie he knew the day would never have arrived. Flowers just seemed to old, he didn’t like the idea of spelling Molly’s name out in roses, after all what child, what baby would get delight from flowers, would smile when they saw them? But how many children adored helium balloons? He gripped his own in his hand tightly as they came to a stop in front of the tiny lilac coffin, he reached out and lightly brushed his fingertips over the top, wishing that he was gently stroking Molly’s cheek to clam her, he didn’t want to believe that his baby girl was lying in it motionless.

He stood as the service started but in all honesty he wasn’t really listening, he just wanted this to all be over, he wanted to fast forward a year of his life because at least by then he would know what was in store for him, he would know if it was going to get easier, he would know if he and Adie were going to make it.

He felt Izzy let go of his hand and when he looked to his right he realised why. He could only make out of the top of her head as she stared out in front of her but it was definitely Adie. He snaked his hand into hers, relieved when she didn’t pull away from him but surprised when she actually squeezed it in recognition, he squeezed back when her grip released slightly, a half smile crossing his lips when he looked to Stuart who held her other hand, the helium balloon she was holding occasionally hitting him in the head. He then turned his head forward and concentrated on saying goodbye to Molly.

It hadn’t been a very long service and by the time most people had started to make their way back to the house most of the helium balloons that had been released were out of sight but two remained on the ground. One was a bright pink star, the other a bright purple one, the balloons Nick and Adie had chosen, one of the only decisions Adie had been apart of, neither could bare to let the balloons go and so they had decided that they would stay behind with Molly. Nick had watched Adie out of the corner of his eye as people relayed their condolences to him and to her, she managed to thank and hug a few people before it all got too much and she had headed off for a walk with her Dad. Nick had found the pair when everyone else had left, he had heard her before he saw them, her sobs enough to cut threw his heart and make it break that much more. He had quickly taken over the role of Stuart, wrapping his arms around her protectively as he held her and rocked her slowly, not shedding the tears of his own because he knew he needed to be strong for her.

That had been the last time he saw her cry. In the past seventy two hours she had not shed a single tear and to some people that would have been a good sign, maybe she had gotten closure, maybe she was starting to accept it and move on but Nick knew differently, she was closing off from it, from everything and she was nowhere near over it. She had come back from the cemetery and made her way straight up to their room, he thought she was just going for a quick lie down, half an hour for which to gather herself but when more then an hour had past, when people started making their way home and she still had not made her way back down he had gone up to the first floor to investigate. He found her in her P.J’s in bed watching some stupid TV show, not that she was watching it, just staring at the TV he wasn’t even sure if she realised it was muted. She had been that way ever since, not coming out of the bedroom unless she really had to, she didn’t even say goodbye to Kevin and Kristin when they had left the previous day and he knew the same was going to happen when Angel and Aaron were due to leave the following day. They all said they understood that they didn’t take it personally, that she was obviously going through hell but so was he and he was still able to thank them for being there, thank them for their support. She needed some help, she needed to talk about it but he knew she wasn’t going to listen to a word he said and so he bought it up with her parents, Alex and Rachel the following day.

“I just…I don’t know what to do to help her. She wants to be left alone but it’s not good for her,” Nick said as he sat at the island in the kitchen, wondering if she had even managed to get out of the bed she was in that day.

“Has she cried yet?” Izzy asked. “It’s not like her to…when Jackson died she cried for days and he was just a dog.”

“This is a bit different Mom,” Rachel interjected.

“I know it is but all I’m saying is I don’t understand why she hasn’t cried since the funeral, there is no way she is fine like she’s saying she is, if she was fine she wouldn’t be hiding out in her room.”

“Have you tried talking to her about it?” Alex asked Nick as he bounced Max on his knee, a sight Nick was finding difficult to deal with. Was it wrong to be that jealous? Was it wrong to wish the tables were reversed and that he was the one bouncing a baby on his knee? Did he just really think that? Did he just wish that it was Rachel and Alex going through what he and Adie were? What kind of horrible person was he? He looked down to the coffee cup in his hands in silent shame before he answered.

“She doesn’t talk to me. The last time we had a proper conversation was before…” he hesitated, “It was in the elevator before we found out. It’s just one word answers, or looks, if I didn’t ask her things I don’t think she would make any sound at all.”

“She needs to talk about it, she needs…”

“WHAT DO I NEED RACH? ALL OF YOU FOR THAT MATTER, HUH? WHAT IS IT THAT I SO DESPRETELY NEED CAUSE I TELL YOU IT’S NOT THE LOOKS OF SYMPATHY, THE FUCKING FLOWERS OR ANYTHING ELSE!”

The yelling startled not only him but everyone else, it was so loud that Max started wailing and knowing that it wasn’t likely to stop Alex took it as a cue to walk out of the French doors and into the back yard to try and comfort his son. Nick looked away guilty, he hadn’t expected her to come down, he hadn’t expected her to overhear their conversation, he hadn’t wanted to hurt her or make her angry. All he wanted to do was help her.

“I can’t believe this,” She hissed as she looked around the room. She was angry, the only other time Nick remembered seeing her as angry as she was when she found him counting her pill in London. Her sweats hung from her decreasing waist line, the baggy black t-shirt hung loosely from her, her hair was wild from where it hadn’t been brushed in a few days.

“Sugar pu-"He tried but she cut him off quickly, her eyes filled with rage and he didn’t know whether he was happy to see that or not, at least it was better then them looking empty.

“Don’t Nick, I am sick of your little meetings where you discuss how I should be feeling and when I should grieve. It’s none of your god damned business.”

“We just want to help you,” Her Father told her.

“I don’t need your help!”

“Really? You could have fooled me,” Rachel added sarcastically, receiving glares from both Izzy and Stuart. Rachel had always been that way as long as Nick had known her, her way of dealing with confrontation was to use sarcasm, she would state the obvious as a way of trying to defend herself, maybe that was why her and Alex were so well suited, because he did it too.

“I don’t need anyone’s help, especially yours,” Adie repeated again, her eyes zeroing in on Rachel as she spoke her last words and it was then Nick knew it was about to get really ugly.

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?” Rachel questioned.

“I hate you,” Adie spat.

“Adrianna,” Her Mother said, appalled by her youngest’s words to her sister.

“No Mom let her finish,” Rachel said calmly. Nick had never felt so uncomfortable in his life, he wanted nothing more then to be in the backyard with Alex and Max and when he looked to the doors to see if a possible escape could be easily made he spotted Alex stood in the doorway, Adie’s hateful words obviously catching his attention.

“Why do you get it all? Why do you get to have the perfect life with the husband and the baby? You’re nothing but a screw up, you flunked out of high school, had dead end job after dead end job, you haven’t worked a day since you met Alex, yet you get everything. You don’t give a shit about anyone but yourself. I made something of myself, I got a decent job, I help people and yet what did I get in return for it? Someone who doesn’t love me enough to marry me, a baby whose lying dead in the ground somewhere,” she said quickly, her breath coming out ragged.

“So that’s all my fault?!” Rachel yelled back, “It’s my fault you and Nick aren’t married and it’s my fault that Molly died?”

“You never gave a shit about anyone but yourself Rachel, you always put yourself first.”

“Oh and you are supposed to be little Miss Perfect are you?” Rachel hissed as she remained seated at the stool next to the breakfast bar. Her back had straightend a sure sign she was ready to defend herself at all costs if she needed to.

“I’m a hell of a lot better then you,” Adie replied.

“Adie,” Alex tried to interject in an attempt to defend his wife.

Rachel quickly whipped round in her chair silencing him, “No Alex I want to hear what little Miss Sunshine and Light has to say about me. Apparently my life is perfect even if I am a low life, un-educated, gold digger.”

“Well what have you done with your life?” Adie questioned.

“Just because you went to college and got a decent job doesn’t make you perfect Adie, just because you did everything Mom and Dad asked of you doesn’t make you better then me, it makes you spineless.” Rachel retaliated.

“Spineless?” Adie questioned.

“Yeah because instead of standing up for what you believed in, for what you wanted to do you followed their rules, their wishes because you knew if you did that then they would see you as the achiever, they would be proud of you and not me, hell I bet you believed they would even love you more then me if you did everything. That’s why they don’t know you were engaded to Mark isn’t it?” Rachel said, her eyes narrowing when Adie’s eyes seemed to bulge.

“What?” Izzy asked, the shock registering in her voice as she looked from Rachel to Adie.

“Don’t worry Mom it didn’t last very long because there is something Little Miss Perfect over there never told you.”

“Don’t Rachel,” Nick tried but when she continued his gaze fell to his lap.

“She’s trained to save children’s lives but instead she choose to kill her own by having an abortion,” Rachel said before she turned back to Adie, “There now you can join me in the group of lowlifes.”

By the time Nick looked up again Adie was gone, and he winced when he heard the bedroom door slam shut. The room had plunged into an awkward silence after Rachel’s outing of Adie’s past history and Nick just wanted the ground to open up and eat him whole. Alex was the first to speak as he walked into the room with Max nestled in his arms.

“I can’t believe you did that,” he said to Rachel.

“So it’s okay for her to verbally degrade me and make me feel like I’m worthless but when I give her a taste of her own medicine I’m wrong,” Rachel hissed back but Nick didn’t miss the tears in her eyes, Adie’s words had truly got to her.

“I’m not saying that, you had every right to defend yourself but that wasn’t your information to share with everyone Rach.”

“Well I obviously don't know what the correct decorum is in these types of situations you know, being an illiterate low life and all,” she said as she grabbed her purse before she got down from the stool she had been sat in.

“Babe,” Alex tried with a sigh.

“There are two bottles in the fridge for Max at home, I’ll be back for the feed after those,” She told him as she wiped the tear that fell.

“Rachel,” her Mom tried.

“See you later Nick,” She said as she placed a small kiss to his cheek.

***

It hadn’t taken long for Alex to leave after Rachel made her exit, after all Max had needed to be fed within the hour and the little boy made it quite known that he was getting hungry. Izzy and Stuart had hung around for a bit longer, it had been an awkward hour where Nick was asked about the details of the abortion and even though he knew it wasn’t his information to share he told them anyway. Izzy had been shocked that she hadn’t found out sooner, that Adie hadn’t felt she could have confided in her own Mother. Stuart had just sat quietly and listened to the details, finally excusing himself after ten minutes to go and check on Adie. He had returned not two minutes later when acess to the bedroom had been an issue, apparently Adie had taken it upon herself to lock the door.

He watched as they pulled out of the driveway and once they were out of sight Nick closed the door and looked to the stairs. He knew she was embarrassed, he knew that she liked to be alone when she was embarrassed but at that point Nick didn’t care what she wanted. she had some explaining to do. There had been absolutely no need for her to talk to Rachel in the manner that she had and to say those spiteful things were beyond unnecessary. Sure she was hurting, sure she was upset but it did not give her the right to speak to anybody like that no matter how true it possibly was. He was sick of her mood, of her arrogance, she seemed to have tunnel vision that was only focused on her own internal pain, well he was hurting too not that she seemed to care.

He reached the bedroom door but when he tried to turn the handle he found it remained locked. He knocked loudly, his anger finally bubbling to the surface.

“Open the door Adie,” He said, ready for a fight and that was why he was so shocked when he heard the lock click from the other side almost immediately. She stood opposite him, her face blank of any emotion, blank of any remorse she should have felt from the awful things she had just said to her sister.

“What do you want?” She asked.

“I want to know what the hell just happened down there.”

“It’s called an argument Nick.” Adie could be as sarcastic as Rachel when she wanted to be. “An argument that only happened because of your stupid little secret meeting about me.”

“It wasn’t a secret meeting,” he told her.

“Well I wasn’t there was I? You were all talking about me and I wasn’t there.”

“We’re worried about you, we were trying to help you,” he answered back as he walked into the room.

“Well I don’t need or want your help,” she told him her hands on her hips.

“Fine. Okay,” he said as he held up his hands in exasperation, “We were wrong to talk about you, to bother with caring about you but you had no right to say the things you said to her. Just because you are jealous-”

She cut in, “I’m not the only one whose jealous, I saw the way you were looking at Alex with Max.”

“You want me to admit to it? You want me to tall you that I am so jealous of Alex and Rachel having that beautiful baby when we can’t have ours, that I wished it was them instead of us? Because fine I will. I am jealous as hell but I don’t go round verbalising it, I don’t go round telling Alex that he doesn’t deserve to be a Father, so why do you feel that you can?” He hissed.

“Because Rachel doesn’t deserve it, she’s done nothing with her life, she’s a drop out and-”

It was Nick’s turn to cut in, “I never finished high school, I’m a drop out too remember. So maybe that’s why we’re here, maybe I don’t deserve to have a child, maybe I would screw them up so badly after having my parents as role models that it’s not worth it.”

“Don’t make this about you,” she said with a roll of her eyes.

“But this is about me, I know you seemed to have forgotten but I am part of this relationship too, Molly was my daughter too, I lost her too,” he reminded.

“Yeah you sure seem upset about it,” she said quietly her eyes diverting to the floor.

“You don’t think I’m upset about it?” He questioned, unsure of whether her head heard her correctly. How could she think that?

“It’s always a double standard with you Nick, you have your little meeting with my family about when and where I’m supposed to grieve but have you? You haven’t cried, you haven’t shared with me how you felt, how you feel, you’re such a fucking hypocrite,” she harshly told him.

“Have you not asked yourself why I have been like that? If you want to know how I’m feeling all you have to do is ask but you haven’t spoken more then two words to me since we left the hospital. All you had to do was ask me.”

“Yeah and I suppose you would have been as open as you were with your family and all those issues,” she sarcastically laughed and he had to give that one to her because she did have a point.

“Just ask Adie,” he stated plainly.

She stared him out for a minute before a sigh escaped her lips and she asked, “How do you feel?”

“I’m devastated, I hate that this happened to us, I hate that when everything seems to be going right something always comes along to tear it all away. I wake up in the morning and hope that it was all some bad dream, I wake up hoping to feel her kick when I poke your tummy like I used to,” he told her honestly as he wiped at his eyes.

“But this is real and this has happened and I might act like it’s not effecting me as much as it really is but trust me I’ve cried Adie, I’ve cried everyday since this had happened, but I don’t do it in front of you because I know that no matter how hard this is for me it has to be a million times worse for you. Watching you have to…I have never felt so helpless in my whole life, all I wanted to do was take you away from there, runaway with you and not believe what they were saying and I couldn’t. But I could be strong for you, that was the one thing I could do, you didn’t need to see me breakdown and get upset, you didn’t need to support me through it because you already had enough to deal with. We lost a child Adie and it was horrible but the world carries on and we have to go right along with it. Maybe it would help if you talked about it to someone,” he said reaching out to rub his hand down her arm but she pulled away.

“I don’t want to go to the therapy sessions where someone tells me that it’s okay to grieve, to be upset, that it will get better with time if I talk about it. It’s all bullshit, how is talking about it, rehashing it all going to make me feel better, help me find closure?” She asked as she purposely moved out of the way of his reach.

“I don’t know Adie but ignoring it doesn’t seem to be working either does it?” He replied, the sadness ebbing once again into anger at her behaviour. Her next words making a small sarcastic chuckle escape his lips.

“I don’t know whether I want to be with you anymore.”

“Reverted back to your old self have you? Running when things get too hard?” He asked knowing that was exactly what she was doing.

“My life was so much easier before I met you,” She told him and he didn’t miss how soft her voice had become, how she wrapped her arms around herself.

He answered her honestly, “Yeah so was mine.”

“Then why are we still doing this?” She asked.

“Because we love each other,” He said sincerely as he stepped forward and took one of her hands in his. When she didn’t pull away immediately he thought he had made her see sense, he thought that that this was all just due to the circumstances, that emotionally she was drained and not making much sense. He knew he was wrong when she looked up to him with big tears in her eyes and when she pulled hand away from his slowly, he knew he had lost her.

“I don’t think love is enough Nick, I can’t live my life like this, with everything that’s happened I think someone somewhere is telling is that we aren’t meant to be together.”

“Are you seriously ending this?” he asked the hurt evident in his voice.

She nodded unsurely, “I think I am.”

The anger resurfaced quickly, it boiled to the top and later on Nick would regret his next words, he would regret calling her bluff. He was sick of all of this, of being left in limbo, he just couldn’t take it anymore and so his eyes narrowed on hers, he straightened his back and he pointed towards the door.

“If you are going to leave do it now, because I can’t stand another moment of living like this, of not knowing what’s going on in your head.”

“Are you asking me to leave?” She asked.

“No I’m not asking you to leave, I’m asking you to make up your mind but there is the door it’s still in the same place it was when you first walked out,” He told her his tone even.

Nick watched as Adie turned her head slowly towards the bedroom door before moving it back to look at him. He didn’t expect her to leave, she was still her in Pyjamas, but that was exactly what she did, she just turned and without uttering a word she walked out of the room and out of his life.

I've been twisting and turning,

In a space that's to small,

Been drawing the lines, then watching them fall,

You've been closing me in, closing the space in my heart,

Watching us fade, and watching it all fall apart.

 

Well I can't explain, why it's not enough cause I'd give it all to you,

And if you leave me now, just leave me now

It's the better thing to do

It's time to surrender

It's been to long pretending

There's no use in trying

When the pieces don't fit here anymore

Pieces don't fit here anymore

 

Song Credit: James Morrison - The pieces don't fit here anymore

End Notes:

Thanks for all the fantastic reviews. Keep them coming!

Patience by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Adie tells Nick that she needs some space

Adie knew that people were staring at her, she could hear their comments, hear the occasional snicker and at first she wondered why she was the subject of so much attention, that was until she looked down and realised that she was still in her Pyjama’s, the big gorilla slippers Nick had bought her as present dwarfing her feet. Not that she really cared what they thought, nothing mattered to her, nothing seemed to make sense.

How had her life come to this? Had she really just walked out on the man she was supposed to love? Had she really just thrown away the past three years of her life? Had she really repeated the same mistake she had only made three months ago? She wrapped her arms around her middle protectively as she stared out at the open water of the creek. She had hoped that sitting there, watching the calm and tranquil water would help her to clear her head, that it would help her to decide what to do next, that maybe she would be able to understand the path her life had headed down. All it did was make her more confused then ever. She watched the people strolling around, some walking dogs, others walking hand in hand with their loved ones, joggers occasionally speeding by her along with a few cyclists. The hardest thing to hear were the screams of delight of children being chased by their Father’s, the babble of a toddler who walked passed gripping tightly on to their mothers hand. Why couldn’t she have that? She closed her eyes and tried to block out the surrounding noise, really tried to concentrate on thinking about what she wanted, trying to formulate a new plan in her head about where she wanted her life to go because her old plan, the plan about marriage, kids and the white picket fence quite obviously wasn’t working out.

Every time, every plan always held Nick.

No matter how hard she tried he always popped up one way or another, even in her crazy cat women scenario, he was there complaining about how he was allergic to cat hair. He was a part of her life now, as hard as it was to be with him, as hard as it was to look at him, he was truly under her skin, deep within her broken heart and no matter how hard she tried to push him out, no matter how hard she tried to focus on his flaws, she couldn’t deny her love for him. Yet she felt trapped, the part of her that knew she could not live the rest of her life without him was buried deeply underneath the part that seemed to be pushing him away, pushing every one away.

Adie thought back to the argument that afternoon, the argument she had started over something so stupid. The more she thought about it the more she realised that the only reason they were talking about her was because she had made herself so closed off from everything around her, from everybody that loved her. Being angry at them was just transference, it stopped her focusing that anger on herself because if she was honest that was the only person she was mad at. She had been the one to carry Molly, she had been the one to ignore the signs that something was wrong, she knew that her kick counts were practically non existent that day and maybe, just maybe if she had gone to the OB floor just an hour earlier something could have been done. Instead of sitting out on the creek she would have been sat encouraging Molly to fight in the NICU, sure the road ahead would have been a long, stressful one but at least she would of had some hope. She didn’t want anyone’s sympathy, she didn’t want anyone to tell her that it was going to get better with time, and so making them angry at her was easier then having to deal with the sadness that they conveyed through their faces. She could deal with the anger, with the harsh words, but she had always hated being killed with kindness, yet it was something she did often in her line of work. Maybe that was why she knew it was all so false.

She thought back to what Nick said, and she knew that he was completely right. Sure she was hurting like hell, sure it was such an effort to get out of bed in the morning but it still didn’t give her the right to say what she did to her sister, even if she thought it was the truth. Yet that was just it, she knew it wasn’t the truth, it had just been the jealously talking, she loved her sister with all of her heart and yet she was just another person she had managed to push away. She was going to be lucky to have anyone left the rate she was going. She realised then that it was the whole reason she was sat by herself with no one to talk it all over with, she couldn’t face her parents not after how they had finally found out about her abortion, there was no way Rachel was going to look at her let alone talk to her without a possible black eye and Nick had all but thrown her out. Sure she had her friends but none of them would understand, it would just be uncomfortable, no one would know what she was feeling because no one she knew had been through the loss she had, no one had lost a child.

The lowering sun hit her eyes and in her haste to leave she hadn’t remembered to pick up her sunglasses, hell she hadn’t even remembered her purse or her cell phone, her head lowered so her eyes were focused on the ground around her feet. The toe without the nail attached was a dead give way that it was him, and every time she thought about how it happened it made her shiver, it must have hurt like hell to have had an oxygen cylinder fall on it, the bone piercing the skin intensifying that pain. She didn’t move her gaze to look at him, she didn’t even deviate her eyes to the left when he sat down next to her on the uncomfortable wooden public bench.

“I thought I’d find you here,” He said but she didn’t reply. “I know your hurting right now, I know you’re angry at the world, and I know it seems like this is never going to get better. It’s exactly how I feel. I know how empty peoples words sound, I know how hard it is to believe them when they say things will start to feel better eventually but I think they are telling the truth, I don’t think Kevin would lie to me about that. We’re never going to forget her Adie, she will always be a part of both of us but she is gone,” his voice broke slightly causing him to hesitate, “And it’s something we are going to have to get over.”

She didn’t say anything, didn’t move a single muscle and she knew that was what he was waiting for. He was waiting for her to break again, but she just couldn’t, she hated that she couldn’t, she hated that the part of her that wanted to was screaming so loud, yet going unheard but she just didn’t know what she could do to make him see, to make him understand. Nick being angry at her was better then the pity he would feel for her.

“I don’t want you to leave. I don’t want to be without you. But if your not fully committed to this relationship, if there is the tiniest bit of doubt in your mind about us making it then you shouldn’t come back. I uh…I bought your cell and your wallet. I’m gona go back to the house and let you do whatever you need to do to decide but the door is open Adie. If you decide that we’re done, if you decide not to come home can you just text me to let me know where you are so I know your safe?”

She nodded knowing that she owed him at least that much. She saw and felt the movement of him vacating his seat but yet she found she still couldn’t look at him, the shame of her recent behaviour to embarrassing. He hesitated for a moment before she heard the clack of his flip flops signalling that he was moving away from her.

 “I love you,” She heard him say.

And it wasn’t until she knew that he would be out of ear shot that she whispered the sentiment back.

“I love you too.”

***

The game was on, the volume pretty much up full blast but the blur of colour that was moving around was not holding his attention, and if you asked Nick would not have been able to tell you, who was playing, how far into the game they were or what game they were even playing for that matter. The TV had only been put on as a method of distraction, as a way of counteracting the silence that had seemed to engulf him since he had returned from the creek.

He wasn’t sure what had led him to the creek to begin with, maybe it was because he knew she would have wanted to be alone, maybe it was because he knew it was their favourite place to get away from everything and act normally without the threat of paparazzi and fans finding him. It hadn’t taken Nick long to find her, after all she had stuck out like a sore thumb with the gorilla slippers attached to her feet. He couldn’t believe that nobody had stopped to ask her if she was okay, then again if he saw someone dressed like she was he would have probably made sure to steer well clear, after all she could have been a psychiatric patient with homicidal tendencies just waiting for her next victim. He shook his head at himself with a gruff laugh, sitting there just thinking about Adie was obviously not a good idea but he knew there was no way he was going to be able to focus on anything else, once again his whole life was on hold because of her.

He had wanted so badly to tell her it was over, to make the decision for her because then at least he would know whether he was coming or going, he wouldn’t be stuck in limbo. Yet he knew he couldn’t do it, he loved her far too much to let her go that easily. Nick hadn’t expected her to just walk away as quickly as she did, and at first he thought she was bluffing because she was still in her pyjamas but it hadn’t stopped her, the car door slamming on her departure confirming his worst fears of her leaving him again. It had taken him a full twenty minutes to realise that she had indeed left in the clothes she was wearing when their argument had escalated and that was when he knew she was in trouble.

Adie was no means bothered by how she looked when she went out, she wasn’t the type of girl to put on makeup if she was just running to the store for some milk, she would have rather piled a hat on top of her un-brushed hair and plonked some sunglasses over her tired eyes. But she never, ever ventured out of the house in P.J’s, not even in the privacy of their own back yard. Yet she had just upped and left so easily and when he had eventually found her she had been in a very public place, not giving a damn about what people thought, it was very unlike her. She hadn’t even turned her face to look at him as he had spoken, the only acknowledgment he received being a slight nod of her head.

Nick wanted to help her, if he walked away he knew it would only cause her to retreat further into herself, he couldn’t just let that happen. When he had met her she had been so vibrant, so full of life, funny, witty, and back then she had seemed happy. Now she was just a shell of her former self, in the space of nine months she had completely disappeared in front of him. He had to get his Adie back, he couldn’t bare to watch her remain the person that she had turned into, the cold, uncaring women that she had been replaced by. He wasn’t that naive though, because his past experience with Alex had taught him one thing, you couldn’t help someone who didn’t want to be helped in the first place. That was why he had done what he did by the creek, he knew that begging her to come back would not have worked, it would have just pushed her further away. Giving her the option was all he could do, letting her know that he loved her, that he wanted to be with her, well it was all he had to offer, the ball was now well and truly in her court. He would just have to respect her decision when the time came, no matter how hard it might possibly be.

***

Adie slowed the car to a stop just outside the house. She had been gone so long that day had turned into night and she almost didn’t quite believe the clock when it read 23:10. She didn’t know why she was so surprised because after Nick had left her at the creek she must have stared out across the water for at least a further hour before she made her way to Chelle’s. She wasn’t the person that Adie wanted to speak to though and true to her word Denise had shown up within ten minutes of being called. Denise, the only person Adie knew who had been through a similar situation before yet her reminder to call anytime, day or night, going unremembered until Adie had scrolled through the contacts in her phone. They had talked for hours and for the first time Adie hadn’t felt any hint of pity from someone, Denise had just listened, offering a few suggestions, a reassuring pat to the knee when it was needed. She wasn’t patronising, she didn’t force her opinion but she wasn’t overly nice and when Adie told her about how she had been treating Nick Denise had chastised her for it.

Yet it was exactly what Adie needed. It finally made her realise how uncalled for her behaviour had been, just because she had lost Molly did not give her the right to make other people hurt. It didn’t give her the right the behave like she was, just because she had lost Molly it didn’t make her immune to taking other people’s feelings into consideration. That was when she knew what she needed to do to make it right, she needed to go to Nick, she needed to face him and she needed to explain. She couldn’t just walk away again.

The lights on in the hallway and living room were the giveaway that he was still up and she wasn’t surprised, she hadn’t text him to let him know she was going anywhere else. She picked up the carrier bag that held her pyjamas as she got out of the car, already feeling better for the shower and change of clothes Denise had insisted upon before she would even consider talking to Adie. She made her way slowly up the porch steps but didn’t hesitate when the time came to unlock the door, knowing that Layla would have heard her approach long before Nick, she braced herself for the dog. Sure enough she had been at the door like a shot, her excited tail wagging back and forth and when Adie looked up Nick was stood by the entrance to the living room, lines covering his left cheek, a dead giveaway that he had fallen asleep against the arm of the couch.

“You came back,” he stated sleepily.

She nodded as she dropped the carrier bag to the floor. Obviously noting the change of clothes Nick asked her where she had been.

“Chelle’s. I spoke to Denise,” She told him as she made her way towards the living room. “Can we…I think we need to talk.”

“Yeah,” he agreed as he walked into the living room with Adie following close behind. She watched as he sat on the comfy two seater and she looked across the room at the chaise lounge but at the last minute she changed her mind and sat next to him. She had been distancing herself from him for too long, she needed to be next to him when she told him what she was about to because it was going to be the only way he would believe what she said. She pulled her feet up under her as she turned sideways on the couch so that she was facing him, so that she could see him and he could see her.

“I need to apologise to you because I’ve been so fucking insufferable to live with, I’m surprised you didn’t kick me out sooner,” She said, not missing how his back seemed to stiffen with her last words.

“I never kicked you out,” he defended.

“I know you didn’t…I didn’t mean it like that but I think you finally telling me how it is…you pointed out…” She hesitated, not knowing how to explain it to him, “I can’t get the words I want to say out.”

“Take your time,” he said softly, he too moved so that he was facing her, his own legs folded Indian style beneath him.

“I’ve been so blinded by my own pain baby that I didn’t see yours or I didn’t want to see yours. It was easier to just either shut off from you or cause an argument with you because it felt better to channel the anger I felt towards myself at you. I shouldn’t have done that, it’s not fair to you,” She explained, knowing full well what he would ask next.

“Why are you angry at yourself?”

“Because I should have known something was wrong,” she whispered as she closed her eyes to try and block out the painful memories.

“Why?”

“I don’t know,” She shrugged as she dropped her eyes to her lap, “I just feel like I should have and…what if?…what if?”

“What if what?” He promoted when she hesitated.

“What if this is my punishment? What if I’m being punished for the abortion I had?” She asked softly, her eyes still down cast.

He lifted her chin with his hand so she was looking directly at him as he sternly told her, “This is not because of that Adie, it’s because you have Hughes syndrome, that’s why this happened.”

“I’m so screwed up Nick. I sat out by the creek in my pyjamas today,” she reminded as she slowly moved his hand away. “Sane people don’t do that, sane people don’t hate their sisters for having beautiful babies, sane people don’t walk away from the people that they love. I can feel myself doing it, I can feel myself pushing everybody who loves me away and I can’t seem to stop, I can’t seem to break myself out of this dark place, I don’t want to end up on my own, I don’t want to be some lonely old women.”

“You don’t have to be,” he told her.

“You can’t say you honestly want to stick around can you? You said it yourself today, you can’t live like this and I shouldn’t make you live like this,” She said to him, not missing the confusion in his face as she spoke her words.

“What are you saying?” he questioned, a frown appearing on his face.

“I don’t know, I really don’t know,” She admitted, “I know that I’m not going to get over this as fast as I want to, there’s no quick fix for this situation. I can’t…I don’t think I can do the whole therapy route.”

“You can’t just pretend it never happened Aid,” he almost huffed but she understood why. He was scared she was going to try and ignore everything that had happened, that she wasn’t going to deal with it but she had learnt from last time, she knew she had to face it, she was just trying to figure out how she would be able to.

“I know that but I have to deal with this my own way,” She told him as she took his hand in hers.

“So what’s your way?”

“I spoke to Denise and after that I realised…you know what Rachel said about me being spineless? It’s completely true. I’ve always lived by other peoples rules, by other peoples suggestions and plans, I put my life on hold for other people, I never stick up for what I want to do or what I believe in. At first it was my parents, I love them and I owe a lot them but there was a lot pf pressure there when there didn’t need to be. I didn’t need to be on the honour roll, I didn’t need to be a straight A student in everything, a few b minuses would have sufficed, then maybe I would have had a nit more of a life. I went along with Mark because I was young and naive, I was completely lost when I met you.”

“You didn’t seem like you were, you seemed happy,” He told her the frown again reappearing.

“That’s the key word right there, seemed. I…I settle to keep people happy Nick, I settled to keep you happy,” She reminded him.

“I know you did and I shouldn’t have made you do that.”

“I look in the mirror and I hate the person staring back at me. I hate what she’s become. I’ve completely lost sight of who I am and what I stand for. I need to find her again, I need to go back to the person I was a long time before I met you. She was a lot of fun.”

“What are you saying?” He asked warily, and she could see her words sinking in, the realisation of what they meant beginning to dawn on him

“I think I need some time to figure myself out, to figure out what I want. I just need to get away from everything, from everyone,” she told him softly, not missing how hurt he seemed to look. It was almost as if she had taken his favourite toy away from him and when he uttered his next words her heart broke.

“From me?” He whispered his eyes piercing through her.

“I love you,” She reassured, “I know I do, but at the moment…Molly dying defines our relationship.”

“It doesn’t have to, it was a horrible thing that happened but it doesn’t have to define our relationship or who we are,” Nick tried to tell her.

“I know that but I don’t think I can be with anybody until I’ve figured myself out. All I’m doing is hurting people, I’m hurting you and you don’t deserve that. You deserve better than that, and until I’m ready to be better for you I think I need to distance myself from you,” she said, the look her gave her again enough to rip at her heart and make her want to take all her words back. She wouldn’t though because it would mean settling to make someone else happy, she couldn’t do that anymore, she had to put herself first for once otherwise the relationship was going to stand zero chance of survival. She wasn’t only doing it for herself she was doing it for him to, all she had to do was make him realise that.

“What if I don’t want you to?”

“It’s not your choice baby, I’m being selfish but this time I’m being selfish for the right reasons, I know I am. I’ve uh…I called Lou-” She said knowing she was going to have to tell him sooner or later.

“You’re going to London?” Nick asked in disbelief.

“No, I’m going to Nepal,” She explained.

“So you are leaving me?” he asked, his eyes now downcast.

“No. I’m leaving home for a while but I am not leaving you. The whole time I was at the creek all I kept thinking about was making a new plan for my life, I kept trying to decide where my life was going to go but every time, every path I could have possibly taken, always had you either at the end or right next to me. This is just something I have to do,” she said as she placed her hands to either side of his face to make him look at her. He diverted his eyes sideways as he gruffly asked,

“Will Mark be there?”

“Do you really think I would be going if he was?” She asked, not being able to hide the upset in her voice.

“I don’t really know what to expect from you anymore,” he bit back angrily.

“I don’t want to argue with you Nick, I don’t want to leave here with that as my last memory of you, of us,” she tried but he just got up from where he was sat shaking his head at her.

“And you call me a hypocrite. This,” he said signalling to himself and his anger, “This is exactly the type of person I have been living with since you got discharged from the hospital. All I’m used to is arguing with you.”

“Yeah I know. I know what a bitch I’ve been towards you and all I can say is sorry. I’ve done that, I said sorry, I’ve come here to tell you this is what I need to do, I’ve been honest with you, I didn’t have to come here today and tell you my plans I could have just left. But I didn’t,” she told him calmly from where she was sat. “If you want to leave it like this, then that’s fine, I’ll just go.”

She made it to the doorway of the living room before he stopped her.

“I’m sorry,” he said before back peddling, “No actually I’m not sorry. You’re right you have been a fucking nightmare to live with, you haven’t supported me in the way that I needed but I still, for some crazy reason, I fucking love you.”

“I love you too and that’s why I’m doing this,” she told him firmly as she walked back into the room. She watched him as he closed his eyes, knowing it was his way of fighting his emotions only this time it was unsuccessful.

“I’ve already lost so much in my life,” he choked out, “I can’t loose you too.”

She watched as the first few tears fell from his face and fought back the lump in her throat when a small sob escaped his lips. Adie made her way to him quickly, she reached up on tiptoes and wrapped her arms around his neck, brining his head down to rest between her shoulder and head to try and comfort him.

“I love you. I love you. You are the only person in the world I want to be with. I don’t want anyone else but this is just something I have to do. By doing this, by going away I’m giving us a chance baby, if I stay I don’t think we’ll make it. You just have to be patient with me.”

Just have a little patience

I’m still hurting from a love I lost

I’m feeling your frustration

Any minute all the pain will stop

Just hold me close Inside your arms tonight

Don’t be too hard on my emotions

 

Cause I need time

My heart is numb, has no feeling

So while I’m still healing Just try and have a little patience

 

I really wanna start over again

I know you wanna be my salvation

The one I can always depend

I’ll try to be strong

Believe me I’m trying to move on

It’s complicated by understand me

***

Nick watched Adie as she slept soundly beside him. He watched the occasional flutter of her eyes beneath her lids, how every so often her nose would twitch, he marvelled at how she didn’t wake herself up with all the moving she seemed to do around the bed. He let his grip loosen on her when she started to move again, eventually settling closer to him, her long hair tickling his bare shoulder as his firm grip on her returned.

He placed a small kiss to her temple as he tired to work out how he was going to get through the next four months without her. When she had sat him down he was sure that it was her way of breaking it to him easily, that she was definitely leaving him but at least this time she was going to have the decency to tell him face to face. So when she told him that she wanted to be with him he had been a little shocked but now he didn’t know which was worse, because being with her meant being separated from her whilst she worked through things. He understood her need, and he wanted to support her in her decision but he also needed her with him, he needed to be around her. Maybe that had been the reasoning behind his mini breakdown earlier.

It was the first time he had openly sobbed in front of her, had openly shared his emotions and he had felt so venerable in doing so, he still did but she had been amazing. She had just led him to the couch, pulled him into her arms and just let him cry for a good half an hour before she said anything more.

Nick had been the first to speak, telling her that he understood why she needed to go and then he did something he had never done in the past, he confided in her his biggest fear. How could he trust that she was going to come home? How did he know that she wouldn’t change her mind and stay out there? Adie had honestly told him there was no way either he or she would be able to know for sure what the future held for them but she had also told him that she loved him, that for her he was it, he was just going to have to trust that and believe in their relationship. The conversation had then drifted on to when she would be leaving, that was the second bombshell of the evening but it wouldn’t be the last.

He had managed to control his anger when she had calmly explained that the flight was the following morning at eleven am. Nick then asked what the rush was, why couldn’t she wait a few days, say goodbye to people properly? Her answer had made complete sense, it would have made it harder to leave if she waited, the knowledge she was going would always be there, niggling away at the back of his mind. That was when she told him the final piece of news for the evening, it wasn’t just a month trip like she had previously planned before she had found out she was pregnant, she wasn’t going to be back before the end of the year.

“So you are going to be out there for Christmas and New year?” he asked in disbelief.

She nodded slowly, “I know it’s going to be hard-”

“I get you have to go away, I understand that but I don’t understand why you have to be away for the holidays.”

“I don’t want to celebrate Christmas, I don’t think I will be feeling all that festive this year and…by coming back in the new year I just think it will be good for us, we can start fresh you know?” She told him.

“Why don’t I come out and meet you for Christmas?” he asked.

She hadn’t really gone for the idea but he knew he still had plenty of time to convince her and even if she still said no he knew he would just turn up anyway. She would just have to deal with it because there was no way he was spending Christmas by himself, he had done that too many times in the past.

“You awake?” He heard her ask when she flipped over so that she was on her tummy, her head resting against his chest as he arm covered his stomach.

“No,” he chuckled softly.

She placed a soft kiss to his chest before she whispered, “Ask me to stay.”

He wanted to, the words were on the tip of his tongue, ready to escape but he knew it wasn’t the right thing to do. She would forever regret it if she did stay, she would never find the closure she was hoping for and knew for sure that they would not last.

So with a sigh, he pressed his own kiss to her head before he told her, “You have to go Sugar Puff.”

When you love someone so deeply

That they become your life

It’s easy to succumb to overwhelming fears inside

Blindly I imagined I could

Keep you under glass

Now I understand to hold you

I must open up my hands and watch you rise

 

Spread your wings and prepare to fly

For you have become a butterfly

Fly abandonly into the sun

If you should return to me

We truly are meant to be, so spread you wings

Butterfly

 

I can’t pretend these tears Aren’t overflowing steadily

I cant prevent this hurt from

Almost overtaking me

But I will stand and say goodbye

For you’ll never be mine

Until you know the way it feel to fly.

 

Song Credits: Take That - Patience

                    Mariah Carey - Butterfly

End Notes:
Keep the amazing reviews coming!
Distractions by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Nick does some soul searching down in Florida while Adie ignores her emotions

It had been a week and half since Nick had dropped Adie off at the airport and a week and a half since he had also packed a bag and caught his own flight. He couldn’t go back to that big empty house that was full of reminders of not only her but their preparation for Molly’s arrival. His destination had been any easy choice, he knew he needed to be by the water, he needed some familiarity and the Keys provided all of that.

He had spent long hours sat out on the balcony that led from the master suite and overlooked the calm and tranquil beach in front of him. He had found himself disappointed on more then one occasion that week because the sea air and the sound of the lapping waves hadn’t settled him in the ways it had previously done. In fact all it had done was make Nick think of Adie more, about how she had loved the beach the last time they were there, about how she had woken him on more then one occasion so that they could watch the sunrise together. That then led him to thinking about Molly.

There was no doubt about it, he would have made sure she was a water baby. He had had so many visions of taking her out in the pool, getting her confident with the water, then introducing her to the sea. He knew that the Keys would have been one of her favourite vacationing spots and he could see them all spending all of her summer vacation down here. That was never going to happen now, and it hurt like hell to know that he would never get to see her smile, never get to hear her squeal of delights, never get to watch her grow up and start her own family. That was the thought that led him to where he currently was.

It had taken him almost seven days to build up the courage, he had actually already made the journey twice but bottled out just before he made the last turning. Today, for some reason, had been different, maybe it was because he knew that tomorrow he would be leaving to join back up with the tour in Reading, Pennsylvania. This was his last chance, well for a while anyway, and he knew he had to do this. He had to make this right because he still had the chance.

He switched off the engine and peered at the house and then back down to the scribbled address of the piece of paper, they both matched number 1123. He pushed the car door open and pulled himself from the car before he closed and locked it.

It took him a good minute before his legs began to move but he eventually found himself standing in front of the large door and he quickly forced himself to press the doorbell. His could feel his heart pumping madly in his chest when he heard the footsteps approaching, the sick feeling in his stomach intensifying when the door creaked as it was opened.

She couldn’t hide the look of shock on her face when she realised it was him.

“Nicky?”

“Hi Momma.”

***

Adie looked at the three sealed envelopes in her hand, one was addressed to her sister, one to her parents and the last one was to Nick. She had left so suddenly, so unplanned that the only way her parents and her sister currently knew where she was, was due to Nick. She had tried to send her parents a text message when she had arrived but obviously her cell phone didn’t work in Nepal and she didn’t want to face talking to them on the phone. She had always been better at writing down her feelings, at explaining things properly in letter form because letters didn’t argue back straight away, she didn’t have to come up with a retaliation quickly, she could think about what she wanted to say for a while before she sent a reply back.

She tore her eyes away from the envelopes in her hand as she handed two to Raj so he could send them when he went into town that afternoon.

“What about that one?” he asked when she didn’t hand him all three.

“I’ll send it later, I forgot to write something in there,” She lied, holding the letter addressed to Mr N Carter back. He smiled at her and carried on out of the door. Why hadn’t she just sent it? There was nothing else she could write, no other words she could use to try and make this separation seem easier and it was the least she could do to let him know she was doing semi okay because every time he had tried to call her at the hospital she had been too busy to talk and every time she had attempted to call him back she had chickened out before the call connected. She wasn’t sure why, maybe it was due to the fact that travelling to Nepal hadn’t given her the epiphany she seemed to be looking for, it hadn’t really helped her to gain any closure and she didn’t want to admit that to him.

She couldn’t dwell on that though because the doors that led from the OR opened and Sean, an anaesthetist she had met up with on her connecting flight, wheeled her patient back into the bed space that he had been occupying for an hour previously. She quickly donned an apron and a pair of gloves before she helped him connect Topkay, the two day old boy, back up to the monitoring equipment and ventilator.

“Okay. Uneventful surgery, removed the narrowed tissue and anatomised the site. Bypass time of one hour, cross clamp time twenty minutes. Hasn’t needed any blood products in the OR. ET tube is the same, central line is the same, arterial line is the same. He’s on five of dopamine for a labile blood pressure, he dropped his mean to thirty nine, we are aiming for a mean pressure of forty five so hopefully you’ll be able to wean that over the day. We’re going to keep him intubated overnight with a plan to extubate first thing in the morning,” He told her.

“Nil by mouth from six am?” She asked an he nodded, “There’s coffee at the desk and these.”

“You know the way to my heart Adie,” He laughed when she handed him a packet of Oreos.

“It’s all about a happy work environment,” she told him with a smile as she watched him leave. She busied herself with settling Topkay back in, making sure that his vital signs were appropriate, she then moved him onto his left side and covered him with blankets to make him look more presentable, more like a baby, so that his Mother would not be too distressed when she was allowed back in.

“You need any help?” Lou asked when she came back from her break.

“I think I’m set actually,” Adie smiled.

“Thanks for the coffee and cookies Adie,” Sean called as he wheeled his next patient into the OR.

“Welcome,” she called back, asking, “What?” When Lou started to giggle.

“Some things never change, your still as much as a flirt as what you always were.”

Adie looked away quickly a frown forming on her face, “I wasn’t flirting.”

“Oh so what was that little wink? You are so busted Aid,” she laughed but Adie’s discomfort did not go unnoticed. “There’s no harm in flirting you know.”

“I’m with Nick,” she reminded as she jotted down another set of vitals.

“I know that. Is everything okay between you guys? Did something happen?” Lou asked concerned.

“Everything’s fine,” Adie lied not knowing why she hadn’t disclosed everything to Lou. She didn’t know that Adie had been expecting a baby and so she certainly didn’t know that Molly had been still born only three weeks previously. She had told Nick that she was going to Nepal for closure, to work through everything yet once again her personal life, her personal problems had taken a backseat to everyone else’s.

“Really?” Lou asked suspiciously.

“Yeah, why are you asking?”

“You just called me up out of the blue and the next day your on a flight. You’re here for four months Aid, over Christmas and New Year,” Lou reminded.

“So are you,” Adie pointed out.

“I’m single.”

“Everything’s fine Lou, we’ve just been through a bit of a rough patch, he’s touring at the moment and I wanted to do something for me.”

“Okay. You know where I am if you want to talk though,” she said before she walked off.

***

Nick sat outside and looked across the array of flowers that his Mother had planted, gardening had always been a passion of hers and every one of their houses had always had beautiful gardens. Well until he and Aaron would trample the roses with the basket ball, the thought of that made him smile, she would get so mad, send them both to their rooms and then the next day she would have the pair of them out in the back yard repairing the damage they had caused.

That all felt like such a long time ago, when he had turned up on her front porch that morning it had felt like a million years since he had seen her last. Ever since he had decided to leave for the first time, ever since he had told her that he was moving in with Mandy their relationship had been volatile and he had half expected her to slam the door in his face. When she didn’t, when she grabbed him into a tight hug, it made him realise actually how much he had missed her.

They had talked for a long time, both apologising for their behaviour but they both explained why they had acted like they had. Conversation had then drifted logically to the things that they had both missed out on whilst they hadn’t been speaking. Nick had filled Jane in on the new album, the tour, how the rest of the guys were and in turn Jane had told Nick all about Greg and about her new business. Not once did the topic of Adie or Molly come up and Nick wasn’t sure how he felt about that. On one hand it was the catalyst for him turning up at her door but on the other it felt good to not focus on it, even if it was just for a few hours.

Nick looked to his left when he heard the back door open, a smiled a thanks when Jane handed him the cup off coffee. He stopped rocking the porch swing back anf forth so she could sit comfortably before he started the slow motion again.

“Are we going to talk about why you’re really here Nick?” Jane asked.

“What do you mean?” Nick asked trying to play it down.

Jane turned her head to him before speaking again, “You haven’t mentioned Adrianna or Molly once.”

Nick stared straight ahead, “It’s Adie.”

“What?” Jane asked, slightly confused at his words.

“She hates Adrianna, it’s Adie,” He told her.

“To be apart from you, to not get to talk to you or see you was awful so I can’t imagine how you must feel about Molly. Nobody should ever have to go through that. If you don’t want to talk about it that’s fine but I am here if you want me to listen,” Jane told him as she squeezed his knee in support.

“I’m sorry I didn’t speak to you for as long as I did,” He said.

“You told me that earlier,” she reminded.

“I miss all the stuff that I thought we were going to get to do as a family. I miss her waking me up at stupid o’clock in the morning because she had to get up to pee and it wasn’t fair that I got uninterrupted sleep, I miss how crabby she was because her back was aching or because she was tired. I miss her Mom, I miss her so god damned much,” He said as a few tears escaped.

“Are you not together anymore?” She asked after she took his hand in hers.

“I don’t know,” He shrugged. “She…it’s been a really crap year for us. She left in June, we’d been falling apart long before that, we were both hiding stuff from each other…then she found out she was pregnant.”

“Is that why you got back together?” Jane asked.

“I didn’t want her to leave in the first place and she didn’t come back right away. But when she did things started getting good again, we started talking, we started being honest with each other but since Molly died, she’s shut off again,” he said as he wiped his eyes with the back of his free hand.

“So where is she?” Jane asked.

“She’s in Nepal. She’s working out there.”

“How do you feel about that?” Jane asked.

“I’m pissed off about it, I’m angry at her for just leaving, I even more angry at myself for letting her leave as easily as I did,” he admitted.

“So why did you?”

“She’s really stubborn. Letting her go, knowing she was going was easier then having to deal with coming home to find that she had left again. She told me that she needed to do it, she needed to find herself but I know she’s not. She’s not out there dealing with her emotions of her feelings about what’s happened, she’s out there supporting other peoples through their problems. It’s what she does and at first it was one of the things I loved about her,” Nick said as he finally looked at his Mother.

“But not now?” She questioned.

He shook his head as he answered, “No not now, it’s one of her traits I hate. Rachel, her sister, once told me that she was special, that she has a gift when it comes to helping people and she does, she’s amazing, I’ve seen it with my own eyes. She would quite easily go up to someone who was crying in the street and wrap her arms around them and help them figure something out but she closes off from her own problems. I know I can’t really say much because I know I do it but I did start opening up to her, I at least tried.”

“Have you told her this?” Jane asked as she took a sip of her coffee.

“I’m scared if I push her too much I’m going to loose her but I’m scared that if I leave her to do her own thing I’m going to loose her too. I think I may have already lost her. I just don’t know what to do Mom, I don’t whether to just leave her and let her get on with it but I don’t want her to think that I don’t care about her. I just don’t know what to do,” He told her helplessly hoping that she would have the aswer.

“I can’t tell you what do to Nick. If you love her as much as you seem to I think you need to fight for her but I think you also need to tell her how angry you are at her. Grief and stress effect people differently and I think problem your having is that you deal with it in the same way,” Jane said.

Nick frowned at her comment, “What? I’m not running away from it, I didn’t run away from her.”

“So she knows how upset you are at her? You cried every time you were sad in front of her?” The way he diverted his eyes downward was answer enough. “You were hiding it too.”

Nick quickly defended his actions, “I was doing it to protect her. She didn’t need to deal with my pain too, she didn’t need to be strong for me. I didn’t have to carry Molly around for seven months, I didn’t have to give birth to a still born.”

“No you didn’t but you still lost a child, you still had to watch her go through that. You hid your emotions from her, and yeah you were trying to protect her but you were focused solely on her pain, on her grief so that may be all she was focused on. I’m not defending her but may be that was why she left because in her own way she may have been trying to protect you from her grief,” Jane tried to explain.

“But I know she’s not working through it like she said she was going to do.”

“Have you worked through it?” Jane asked.

“I don’t think I’ll ever be completely over it, it still hurts like hell every time I think about it but I want to be with her. I want to grow old with her and try and have more babies. I don’t want anybody else,” He admitted as he tried to fight back a few more tears.

“Then you need to tell her that but I think you need to be completely honest with her, I think you need to tell her exactly how it is, exactly how she made you feel. Keeping things secret doesn’t work, it just makes you resentful in the end,” Jane told him.

***

Adie smiled warmly at Topkay’s Mother, for a women of a poverish background, her English was near on perfect and her strength was outstanding. Six children in seven years, two jobs to support her large family and still the women was smiling and thanking Adie as if she was her saviour.

“He’s being a very good boy. Do you want to get him out for a cuddle?” Adie offered.

“Is he well enough to do that?” She asked.

“Yeah,” Adie nodded enthusiastically, “He’s doing very well, I think he deserves a cuddle.”

It still amazed Adie how quickly children could rally round. It had only been two days since his open heart surgery but Topkay had been successfully extubated, was not needing any oxygen therapy, and he was defiantly making it known when he was hungry. With the rate he was going he would be going home within the next few days and it made Adie feel warm inside, because if people didn’t volunteer for causes like this, then there was no way that little boy would have survived.

She eased the baby gently into his Mother’s arms and then she walked away to give them some privacy. She could still view Topkays and his monitoring from the desk and when she sat down she felt something dig into the side from her scrubs pocket. She fished it out, finding the letter she had written to Nick. She still hadn’t found the strength to send it, she eyeballed it for a few moments before placing it back where she had found it.

Another day wouldn’t make much difference.

End Notes:
Please keep the reviews coming! Oh and guess what I am on leave again so chpaters will hopefully be up more frequently!
Question Exsiting? by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Adie has a realisation as Nick questions the longevity of their relationship

Adie looked at the clock, ten fifteen am, her shift had only started two hours previously and it was already turning into a shitty day. Topkay had been readmitted overnight with increased work of breathing which had led to such severe respiratory distress that he had required intubation and ventilation. At first Adie had been certain that he had re-coarcted, that his aorta had narrowed again but the echo had showed that it was not the case, it had revealed something far more sinister. It looked as though the four pulmonary veins that drained oxygenated blood from the lungs back to the heart were not working correctly, this had therefore caused fluid to accumulate in his lungs which was the reasoning for his respiratory distress. He had been rushed to surgery to see what the exact cause of the problem was and whether or not it was simple enough to be fixed.

“Stop staring at the door,” Lou commented when she realised Adie was waiting for any news on Topkay.

“I can’t help it, I’m worried,” She sighed.

“He’s gotten under your skin hasn’t he?” Lou asked knowingly.

Adie nodded, “Why do you think that is? Why do some patients and their families effect us more then others?”

Lou shrugged as she changed a diaper on her patient, “I guess we form bonds with some people, we see stuff we like about them, we feel sorry for them.”

“His Mom’s amazing, six kids in seven years, I don’t think I could do it, I have enough trouble taking care of myself,” Adie laughed.

“It’s culture out here though isn’t it? Large families are the norm here. Can you throw away that spiro, it expired yesterday,” Lou asked.

“Sure,” Adie said as she picked up the bottle, frowning when she read the date, “It says the twenty sixth on it.”

“Yeah and today is the twenty seventh,” Lou told her.

“No it’s not,” Adie corrected.

“Uh yeah it is,” she said a small burst of laughter escaping her lips when she misread Adie’s frown. “It’s okay Aid we all have senior moments sometimes but if you keep frowning like that you are going to look like a senior with all the wrinkles.”

“You’re positive it’s the twenty seventh?” She asked.

“Yeah, you can check my diary if you want. Are you okay?” Lou asked noticing how serious Adie had quickly become.

“Uh…yeah I uh just forgot someone’s birthday. I’m going to be in the shit now,” she played off. She was just about to excuse herself when Sean calling her name from the entrance to the OR caught her attention and from the look on his face she could tell that the day was going to get a hell of a lot worse.

***

Nick looked down at the cell phone in his hands. He tried to calculate the time difference, early morning in L.A meant it would be around two o’clock in the morning tomorrow in Nepal. It would be to late to call Adie, she would probably be sleeping, but he couldn’t let the day go without sending her something to let her know he was still thinking of her, even though the day for her had passed. He quickly typed the message and hit the send button before he made himself get out of bed, there was no use wasting the day by just lying there, over analysing things.

Twenty minutes later he was in the gym taking all of his anger and frustration out on the punch bag. It had been three months since he had seen her last, and even though he had been busy with the tour, even though his days had been filled, his nights had been cold and lonely. He would find himself alone in his hotel room, or in the back room of the bus, sleep alluding him, his mind running a mile a minute of thoughts of her, thoughts of what he would have been doing if they hadn’t have lost Molly.

“My god Nick Carter out of bed before noon! Did I miss hell freezing over?” Kevin asked making Nick abruptly stop the pummelling he was giving the punch bag.

“Sup?” Nick nodded as he took a swig of his water.

“You look like hell Nick,” Kevin told him seriously, the smile quickly fading from his face.

“Thanks,” Nick scoffed as he restarted his relentless beating again. He could feel Kevin watching him, his eyes almost burning through Nick but it didn’t stop him, this was the only way that was working to get out all the frustration. He punched the bag a bit harder but when he lashed out again to hit it when it rebounded back all he swiped at was air. He focused his attention on Kevin he had grabbed for the bag, a pensive expression on his face, one that Nick had been very used to in the past. It meant he was either in big trouble, or that Kevin was about to impart some wisdom, and at that point the didn’t know what was worse.

“You had breakfast?” Kevin asked and Nick rolled his eyes, “I’ll take that as a no.”

“I’m not hungry,” Nick grumbled as he threw the gloves off.

“If you are going to carry on pushing yourself like you just were you need to eat. You’re not doing anymore working out until I see some food cross your lips,” Kevin told him sternly. Nick had tried to defend himself, when that didn’t work he made it clear to Kevin that he was a grown man who could make his own decisions and when that didn’t work, he angrily made his way to the showers.

Half an hour later they were sat in a secluded booth in Denny’s.

 “I’ll just have some toast and a coffee,” Nick told the waitress as he handed her back the menu.

“He’ll have the works and so will I,” Kevin told the waitress, before looking back to Nick with a forceful look and Nick sighed before changing his order.

Once the waitress left the conversation dried up quickly and Nick picked up the packet of sweet and low, doing what he always did when he felt uncomfortable, he fiddled with things.

“How many hours have you been working out a day?” Kevin asked but Nick just shrugged. “Two? Three?” He asked and Nick just shrugged again. “You’re looking good Nick but if you are going to be working out more then three hours a day you need to put the calories away to sustain that.”

Nick just chuckled sarcastically.

“What? What’s funny?” Kevin asked.

“Four years ago you were on my case about not exercising and now you're on my case about working out too much, I can’t win,” He sad seriously with a shake of his head, his attention still focused on the packet of sweet and low.

“I’m not saying that you need to stop exercising I’m saying that with how much your working out lately, not eating is dangerous,” Kevin reiterated.

“How do you know how much I’ve been working out? For all you know today could have been the only day I’ve worked out this week,” he tried to defend.

“Well from the way you worded what you just said I know your lying. I know why your doing it, I know your angry-”

Nick cut him off, “I’m not going because I’m angry, I’m going because it’s the only place where I can forget about everything for a while.”

Kevin raised an eyebrow to him, “Really? Seemed like you were pretty angry this morning or did the punch bag just look at you wrong?”

“I’m fine Kevin, I don’t need a babysitter, I don’t need an intervention, I just need…-” He hesitated.

“Need what?” Kevin asked but Nick remained quiet, “If you tell me I might be able to help.”

“Forget it,” he replied with a shake of his head, “Are you still coming tonight?”

“Yeah I’m still coming tonight but you’re not just going to get away with changing the subject that easily. I know you miss her-”

“At first I did, I let her sucker me in to believing that this was what she needed, that she would go away, deal with how she felt and she would come back and be who she was when I first met her. It’s all bullshit because she’s not doing any of that and I don’t know who I am more angry at, her for leaving or myself for letting her go,” He bit out, as he made eye contact with Kevin for the first time since they had sat down.

“Have you told her that?” Kevin asked.

“I’ve had a five minute conversation with her in three months Kev and I'm pretty sure they only reason she told me she loved me was because I said it first. So no, I haven’t told her.”

“I think you need to.”

“My Mom said the same thing,” Nick admitted not missing the shock in Kevin’s eyes.

“Your Mom?” He questioned. Nick nodded,

“Yeah, I went to see her before we started the tour again. With what’s happened…life’s too short Kev, I know what’s she’s done in the past hasn’t always been great but she’s my Mom and I don’t want anymore regrets, I don’t want to wake up one day and it be too late.”

“How is she?” Kevin asked, smiling a thanks to the waitress when she placed the coffee on the table.

“Good. Really good. Am I doing the right thing?” He asked Kevin.

“If it feels right to have her back in your life, then yeah I think you are,” Kevin answered misunderstanding the question.

“I didn’t mean about my Mom. Am I doing the right thing in waiting around for Adie to be ready?”

***

Adie sat and stared out at the vast blackness before her. She looked at her watch sighing when she realised it was four am. She had to be up for work in less then four hours but sleep just hadn’t seemed to come, not after everything that had happened that day.

“It’s not good is it?” She asked when she had made her way over to Sean.

“Three out of four of his pulmonary veins are stenosed, they’re not draining the blood back into his heart properly,” He told her sombrely.

“What about balloon dilatation?” She offered, knowing that he would have already thought of it.

He shook his head,“They’re too badly stenosed, it wouldn’t do anything, he’d need them dilated every two months, it wouldn’t be fair, it would just be putting off the inevitable. I’m going to bring him back out, I’ll go speak to his Mom and then I’ll come and extubate him.”

Once the breathing tube had been removed it had only taken an hour for Topkay to slip away peacefully in his Mother’s arms. Adie had been ready to console her, she had been ready to hold back her emotions so she could focus on Topkay’s grieving Mother but she found herself rather astonished to the woman’s reaction. Yes there had been tears, yes she hadn’t wanted to let go of the baby at first but after an hour she had managed to console herself and with a kiss to his forehead and a whispered prayer she handed the baby back to Adie. Once all the decisions were made about what was going to happen to his body and Adie had handed his Mother the death certificate she had spoken to her about her reaction.

“I’ve lost three children, one from Malaria, one was still born and one from a heart problem. I was very angry at God but after a while I began to understand his reasoning, they are all in a better place now, free from suffering. I just have to concentrate on the family I have left because they need me to be strong, I still have six other children to look after as well as my husband.”

Adie was broken from her thoughts when she heard the rusty hinge of the door open and then close. She turned her head to the side and smiled when she spotted Sean, taking the beer from his hand when he offered it to her.

“Thanks,” she smiled.

“Can’t sleep either huh?” He asked as he took a seat next to her.

“Not really. It just seems so unfair,” she sighed.

“That’s life though. As hard as it is to believe I think things happen for a reason. Maybe…I don’t know maybe seven children was just going to be too much for that family, maybe it’s better that he didn’t survive a life time of poverty as harsh as that sounds.”

“I know what you mean. It just doesn’t make it any easier,” Adie told him as she took a slug of her beer, eying Sean suspiciously when he his eyes bored into her, almost like he was studying her.

“What?” She asked self consciously.

“I really like you Adie, would you maybe want to go out to dinner with me sometime?” He asked.

She was completely floored, that hadn’t been what she had been expecting, and then it dawned on her. Maybe what Lou had said was true, maybe she had been sub consciously flirting with him, sending out signals, signals that had attracted his attention, attention that wasn’t wanted.

“I…I…” she stuttered, “I’m really flattered Sean but I’m kind of seeing someone,” she told him.

“Kind of?” He probed and she looked away, playing with the label on her bottle of beer.

“At least I hope I’m still seeing someone,” she said softly as she retrieved her phone from her pocket when she felt it vibrate. She quickly slid her fingers across the screen to unlock it and her eyes fell against the message.

Love ya sugar puff x

Four words, four simple words. Nothing said about Molly, nothing said about the day but she knew that was why he had text her, after all back in the States it would only be early morning on the twenty seventh. She placed the phone back in her pocket, and looked to Sean questioningly when he made his next comment.

“So it still works,” Sean said.

“Huh?”

“The phone,” he gestured making her realise what he meant. He had been the one who had manage to tweak her settings on the second day that she had been there, she could now send and receive text messages, and even make calls if she wanted. Not that she had, she had tired but she just didn’t know what words to put in a text message to anybody, let alone Nick. She didn’t know what words would be meaningful, what words would make him understand and yet he had managed to do it in four. She didn’t even realise she was crying until Sean handed her a tissue.

“Sorry,” she apologised.

“For what? It’s been a shitty day but there was nothing more you could have done, don’t beat yourself up over it.”

“It’s more then that, yesterday was a shitty day for more then one reason,” she admitted before she blew her nose.

“Want to talk about it?” She sighed shakily as she wiped the few remaining tears from her eyes. Did she want to talk about it? Not really but she found herself telling Sean anyway,

“My baby was due yesterday.”

He nodded his head slowly, “I’m sorry, miscarriages must be hard.”

She could have left it at that, could have let Sean believe what he wanted, that was why she was so shocked at herself when she blurted out, “I didn’t have a miscarriage, Molly was still born.”

“Adie I’m so sorry. Can I ask when?” She looked down to the beer in her lap, at the mess she had made of the label before she answered him.

“It’s fourteen weeks tomorrow,” she admitted.

"You’ve been here for twelve weeks,” he told her, the maths obviously working out in his head, “Adie what the hell are you doing here?”

She shrugged, as she wiped the tear from her face, “I don’t know Sean, I really don’t know. I think I’ve made a big mistake.”

***

Nick sat outside on the deck at Alex and Rachel’s L.A home. He spun the small box of cigarettes around on the table before he picked one out, placed it to his lips and lit it with the lighter he had also stolen from the coffee table that was in the living room. The show had been great, and Kevin coming out at then end had been the highlight of the evening not only for the fans but for all of the guys as well. It felt like old times, and for the first time in weeks the smile on Nick’s face had been real, that was until the end of the show when he realised that he was going to be the only one without someone to congratulate him for a great tour. All he wanted was to walk off the stage to find her there, to see her smile, to feel her wrap her arms around him and tell him he had done a good job.

He hadn’t wanted to mingle with everyone else afterwards, he hadn’t wanted to accept the offer of the get together back at Alex and Rachel’s but he wasn’t stupid enough to decline. He knew he was being watched, he knew it would just give Kevin more ammo is he didn’t turn up and so reluctantly he had shown up but he had managed to segregate himself without anyone noticing and for that he was thankful.

He thought back to the first ten minutes of arriving, he thought back to how Howie had gathered everyone in the kitchen, he thought back to how his stomach had lurched when Howie had announced the news. He had been grateful when he was close to the door and due to all the excitement, all the hugs that the couple were getting he had managed to slop away unnoticed, the temptation of the cigarettes on the coffee table being too much.

It wasn’t that he wasn’t happy for his friend, because he was, he was just also filled to the brim with jealousy. All he wanted to know was why? Why had this happened to him? To her? To them? Hadn’t he already had to deal with enough crap and bad luck in his life? What was he being punished for? Why did everyone around him get to be happy? Why didn’t he deserve that happiness? He heard the patio doors slid open and knew that his hiding place had been busted, he quickly tried to conceal the cigarette in his hand, figuring it was only going to give Kevin more of an excuse to rag on his ass. That was why he was so surprised to hear Howie’s voice.

“Relax it’s not Kevin, I thought you quit,” he said as he sat down beside Nick.

“Yeah well,” he sighed as he took another drag, “Congratulations.”

“I’m sorry,” Howie apologised. Nick scrunched up his face at his friends choice of words the confusion evident in his voice when he asked,

“Why? Just because I lost…it doesn’t mean you have to be sorry about being happy.”

“I know that and that’s not what I’m sorry for. Rachel just figured out why you’ve been distant today. I’m sorry none of us took the time to realise Nick and I’m sorry for my impeccable crappy timing. If I had known there’s no way I would have said anything today.”

“It’s fine,” he shrugged.

“No it’s not. Do you want to talk?” Howie asked.

“Not really,” Nick said as he took another drag.

“Alex is going to pissed you stole his cigarettes,” Howie tried to joke but it just fell on deaf ears. “Have you spoken to Adie today?”

“I text her this morning, haven’t gotten anything back from her though. Maybe that’s my answer right there,” he said gruffly.

"What’s the question?”

“Whether or not we’re going to make it.”

Howie was just about to say something about Nick’s comment when the doors slid open again and Alex joined the pair, he looked from Nick, to the cigarettes and then back to Nick again.

“You’ve could have at least asked Prick,” he mumbled as he picked the packet up and lit one up for himself.

“You used to steal mine all the time,” Nick reminded.

“Yeah till you quit. Don’t fall back into the habit now man, do you really want Kevin ragging on your ass again?” He asked as he exhaled.

“He’ll only find something else to rag on anyways,” Nick whined, wincing when he heard the unmistakable deep voice behind him.

“I only rag because I care, now put the damn cigarette out,” Kevin told him as he walked into Nick’s view making Alex snigger, “You too Alex, put it out.”

“Dude this is my house and believe it or not I’m thirty two now, you can’t tell me what to do,” Alex retaliated, flipping him the finger playfully which made Nick laugh slightly.

“Yeah you can’t tell us what to do, you’re not our real Dad!” Nick giggled back to Kevin, who just shook his head at the pair of them. That was when Nick heard the door open yet again, “Jesus guys I came out here to be by myself for a while, I didn’t want you all following me,” he said jokingly.

“Alex? Nick?”

It was Rachel but her voice was shaky, tear filled and when Nick turned in his seat and saw the tears falling as she clutched the telephone he knew something bad had happened.

End Notes:
DUN DUN DUN! What's happened?!!!!!
Passing By by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Adie comes home just as Nick leaves

Adie gripped the steering wheel tighter, she opened the window wider to try and let some air in, she even turned the volume up so loud on the stereo that she thought she was going to perforate her own ear drums. Yet nothing seemed to be working, she could still feel her eyes becoming heavy, she could still feel them close every so often but when she felt the small jolt to the left side of the car they snapped open quickly. She had just clipped the curb but it made her realise how stupid she had been in deciding to drive herself. Driving and being sleep deprived was a bad combination, it had the possibility to become a deadly situation, but she hadn’t been thinking clearly when she had reached the car rental desk at the airport. Her only thought had been about getting to him.

It had been a long journey, the last minute departure meaning that she couldn’t get a direct flight to the States from Nepal and she had endured two layovers. She was tired, hungry, dirty but most of all she was petrified about what was going to be waiting for her when she finally made it to her destination. She thought back to the moment she got the call, it just felt like de ja vu, the circumstances so similar to the time it had occurred before.

Adie could hear her name being called, but she was so tired, not making it to bed until five am and then getting up at seven had definitely caught up with her. She had an hour for lunch and her only plan was to sit in the small barren room that was the break room and crash. It was a far cry from the break rooms she was used to, there were no comfy couches, no TV’s, they were lucky to have a coffee machine in there and so she had had to make do with slouching against the desk to try and get some shut eye. So why did the person calling her name want to deprive her of that? She had set the alarm on her phone and there was no way she had slept through it. Maybe if she just ignored them, they would go away.

“Adie?” She felt the small shake to her shoulder.

No such luck.

“Hpmf?” She moaned.

“You need to wake up, you have a phone call,” Lou told her.

“I’ll call them back,” she mumbled as she turned her head so she was resting on her other cheek. It was probably Nick and right then she knew she couldn’t form a coherent thought in her mind, there was no way she was going to be able to hear his voice without breaking down.

“It’s your Mom, she says it’s urgent.”

With that information she quickly sat up, it had to be something major because her Mom would always wait for Adie to phone as she could never seem to grasp the time difference. She followed Lou out to the main desk of the ward, smiling awkwardly at Sean who was sat there.

“Mom?” She asked cautiously.

“Adie? Honey you need to come home.”

She hadn’t heard much else of what her Mother had said, and as soon as she hung up the phone the tears that she had been silently crying found their way out full force. By the time she had relayed the information to Lou, Sean had pretty much found her a flight. She didn’t remember getting to the airport, she didn’t remember the layovers, her mind had been filled with worst case scenarios, after everything that had happened she couldn’t loose him too.

She breathed a semi sigh of relief when she saw the first signs directing to her to the hospital, not that she needed them, but at least she knew she was close. Five minutes later she had managed to park the car and was making her way towards the entrance of the hospital, she tried to wipe the sheer exhaustion from her eyes and if she hadn’t been so worried she knew her first stop would have been to the coffee bar. It turned out that her first stop wasn’t too far from there anyway, the aroma of fresh brewing coffee seeming like utter torture.

“Adie?” She heard her name called and looked to her left, spying her sister instantly. She walked the few small steps to where Rachel was leant against the wall and instantly fired a barrage of questions at her.

“Where is he? Is he okay? Did they do angioplasty? Mom said something about a bypass-”

Rachel held up her hand quieting Adie before she started to speak.

“Woah, illiterate sister here or have you forgotten? I don’t know what those big words mean,” She snidely reminded.

Adie sighed, “He’s at least got to be okay if you’re still holding that against me.”

“Holding it against you?” Rachel questioned, her eyes narrowing.

“I apologised to you,” Adie reminded.

“Six lines in a letter doesn’t really count considering I couldn’t read it,” she said sarcastically.

“I’m sorry okay? I had no right to say what I did, I didn’t mean it,” Adie told Rachel sincerely.

“I’ll only accept your apology if you’re honest. You meant what you said Adie, it’s when we’re at our most angry and upset that we’re honest,” Rachel said, crossing her arms across her chest.

Adie looked away for a few moments before she focused her gaze back on her sister, “It’s jealousy Rach, because you have everything, everything I have ever wanted, you’ve got.”

“I know you find it hard to believe Adie but I have worked for it, I’ve given up stuff for it. I left my life here for Alex, I moved to Florida to be with him, I don’t have any friends down there, hell half the time when I’m down there I’m going crazy because I’m lonely, I miss you, I miss seeing Mom and Dad all the time, I miss my life here, but I did it because he was worth it. Nobody looks at me like he does, nobody in the world treats me like a princess but he does. So I compromised,” Rachel told her.

“And I haven’t?” Adie questioned defensively.

“You haven’t let him in.”

“I know that, that’s why I’m here,” Adie said but even to her own ears it didn’t sound convincing. Sure her talk with Sean had started her mind working, yes her plan had been to call him, but coming home hadn’t been part of her plan. She wasn’t even sure if she would have talked herself out of doing all those things if her Mother hadn’t have called her due to her father taking ill.

“Bullshit, you’re here because Dad had a heart attack, you’re not here for Nick, if you were, the first place you would have gone was home, hell you would have called him from the airport so he could pick you up,” Rachel commented.

Adie remained silent, there was no way she was going to be able to convince her sister otherwise.

“The only person you’re convincing is you, but I think even that is starting to fade, at least I hope it is.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Adie asked defensively again.

“He’s not going to wait around forever Adie, no matter how many times he may have told you he will in the past. You’ve pushed too far this time,” Rachel told her and Adie knew from the look in her sister’s eyes that she was telling the truth. She couldn’t deal with that now, she was dog tired and worried and all she needed to do was see her Dad, she just needed to know he was okay.

“Is he in CICU?” Adie asked, semi ignoring Rachel’s last comment.

“Yeah, bed twelve.”

She didn’t even say goodbye to Rachel, she just turned on her heel and strode the rest of the way to the elevators, trying in vain to keep her tears at bay. She was so lost in her own thoughts that she never realised who she walked past.

***

Nick stepped out of the way otherwise the two coffee’s in his hand would have been knocked clear to the floor by the woman who was quite clearly on a mission if her pace was anything to go by. He went to make a comment but when his eyes followed her he recognised the back of the hoodie immediately, the dark messy bun confirming his initial thoughts. There could only be one person with a Great Ormond Street hoodie like that, at least in this hospital, and he was just about to follow her when his head over ruled his heart.

He had made his decision, as hard as it was he wasn’t going to chase her anymore, he was going to leave her be. He wasn’t going to wait forever, he knew she was home now but he also knew that she was going to be overwhelmed with what had bought her back, he wasn’t heartless, he hadn’t expected her to come to him straight away but she was on a time frame, whether she knew it or not. So why if it had felt like the right decision yesterday, was he having such a hard time in deciding when her time would be up? Yesterday she had until the end of today to contact him, but now? Maybe he should give her a little more time, after all he Father had just had a heart attack.

“You took you’re time,” Rachel moaned as she took one of the coffee cups from him, “And yes before you ask, it was her.”

“She okay?” He asked as he looked in the direction Adie had headed, but she was long gone.

“Yes Nick, she was all smiles and giggles,” Rachel sarcastically added.

“Alex is right, you’re evil on no sleep.”

“How come you didn’t take off after her?” Rachel enquired before she took a sip of her coffee.

“I’m not chasing her anymore, she knows where I am.”

“I told her that you weren’t going to wait forever,” Rachel told him.

“What did she have to say to that?” He asked, not really knowing if he wanted to hear her answer.

“Not a lot,” Rachel sighed.

“She knows it’s a bluff that’s why,” He admitted, looking away from Rachel when her dark eyes, that were so similar to her sisters, bored into him.

“I thought you decided you weren’t going to wait forever?” Rachel questioned.

“Seeing her…” he hesitated. “I can’t just walk away from her Rach. As corny as it sounds, as much as I hate myself for saying it because I swore to myself that it didn’t exist, she’s my soul mate,” he told her with a smile.

“Yeah?” Rachel asked with a small smile of her own.

He nodded, “Yeah. God knows why, but I’m meant to be with her. If we weren’t meant to be together then I know I would be able to walk away but I just can’t seem to do that, no matter how stubborn she is. She’s my other half Rachel, she might not know it yet but she is.”

“So what are you going to do?” Rachel asked.

“I’m going to catch my flight to Vegas,” he shrugged. “If she really wants to find me then she will.”

“Is it wrong that I want to bash my sister’s head against a brick wall until she realises what she has?”

He laughed heartedly, “Yeah because a case of amnesia is what this story needs to make it more interesting.”

“You should get going if you’re going to make that flight,” She reminded.

“Yeah,” he agreed looking down to his watch.

“Have a safe flight okay? And wish Aaron and Angel a happy birthday, Alex gave you their cards and gifts right?” She asked as she grabbed him in a tight hug.

“Yeah he did, I’ll tell them,” he said as he squeezed back.

 

Every time I close my eyes

You’re the first thing that runs through my mind

Everywhere I go

I see you

Hear you

Feel you

I just want to be near you

And heal you

 

I fall in love all over again

Each time I lay my eyes on you

I pretend

I feel so helpless

Without you

I feel so helpless

Without you

 

It takes a piece of me

Each time you leave

I feel it in my chest So hard to breath

I feel so helpless

Without you

I feel so helpless

Without you

 

***

Adie took a deep breath in as she pushed the doors to the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit open. She released it slowly as she made her way round the large unit stopping at the nurses station to enquire about her Father, she was quickly directed to his room but stopped short just outside the door. There were two other people in there with him, one definitely had to be the nurse but she wasn’t sure about the other, the intern perhaps? The young women looked up from the chart that she had been writing on and smiled when she noticed Adie waiting by the door, she stepped out of the room quickly.

“Can I help you?” She asked politely.

“I’m Stuart’s Daughter,” she semi smiled back.

“You must be Adie, I’ve heard a lot about you,” she smiled.

“He’s not been breaking out the baby pictures has he?” She smiled.

“Not quite. You’re the nurse right?” She asked and Adie nodded. “You used to work in children’s intensive care?"

“He really has been boring you with not only his life story but mine too,” she almost laughed.

“He likes to talk that’s for sure. The Resident is in there with him now, if you’ve got any questions about what’s happened I’m sure he’d be happy to talk to you,” She smiled as she held the door open for Adie.

She took another deep breath in and released it as she walked in silently. Her Father, obviously thinking that it was just the nurse returning kept his attention focused on the Resident.

“…ECG is not as good as what we would like so I feel that a triple bypass might give you a better outcome.”

“Whatever you think I need, if it’s going to make me better I’ll do it,” Her Father agreed. He looked a lot better then she thought he was going to, he was a little pale but he looked nowhere near as fragile as how he did after his first heart attack. Maybe it was because he had been through it before, he now knew what to expect. So if he looked to well why was the Doctor trying to convince him to have a bypass? To let them rip him in half and stop his pumping heart for half an hour?

“If he’s clinically stable what’s the rationale for a bypass?” Adie piped up making both the Doctor and her Father turn to her in surprise at her voice.

“Adie?” he Father asked, a large smile crossing his face at her arrival.

“I’m sorry, you are?” The Resident asked.

“Adie, this is my Dad,” she said introducing herself with a quick smile to Stuart.

The resident shook her hand as he introduced himself, “I’m Simon Jessop, Cardiac Resident. I was just saying to your Dad that his tests indicate he may need a triple bypass, that‘s where we take some of the blood vessels from his legs-”

Adie cut him off, “I’m an ER nurse, I know what a bypass is.”

“Oh,” the Resident said, taken aback somewhat by her abruptness.

“Adie,” Stuart called.

“His heart attack was three days ago, why didn’t you just do a bypass then instead of the stents?” She asked.

“Adie,” Stuart tried again but she just ignored him.

“Due to your Father’s age and the results from the ECG taken at the time my Attending felt that angio was the best route to go at the time. If you look at the elevated ST segments on his most recent ECG it shows the underlying ischemia is worsening compared to the last one he had in clinic two months ago, a bypass would limit more damage to the myocardium,” The Resident told her as he showed her the ECG strip.

“But he’s clinically stable right?” She asked and the Resident nodded, “So why do a risky procedure? Is the ischemia any worse then his original ECG on arrival to the ER?”

“No.”

“So this could be the ischemia caused by this M.I, the bypass wouldn’t change that,” She told him with a frown.

“You’re right it might not,” He told her and Adie didn’t miss how uncomfortable he seemed, it was then it clicked that he was new in his role.

“Are you an R3 or an R4?” She asked.

 “Er…I’m an R2” he stammered.

“Oh my God,” She scoffed, “You’re telling me you were an intern four weeks ago? I want to speak to your Attending.”

“Adie,” Stuart said more sternly getting her attention.

“What?” She asked, “He’s a baby, he doesn’t know what he’s talking about, I want to speak to the Attending.”

“Dr Jessop I want to apologise for my Daughter and her rudeness, she’s just travelled back from Nepal. I’ll read the literature you left and I’ll get Helen to give you call when I’ve made my decision.”

“No problem sir, I’m sure I can get my Attending to come down to speak to you later,” The Doctor said, the hint of pink disappearing from his cheeks as he made his way out of the room.

“What?” Adie questioned when her Fathers looked at her sternly. “He’s a baby Dad, four weeks ago he was an intern. Trust me in the long run you’ll thank me for doing this, when it comes to your heart you want the Attending.”

“Adie,” Stuart said but she ignored him again as she flipped through his drug chart.

“Why are you still on the same amount of Aspirin? You had angio they should have halved it for three days,” She questioned.

“Adie.”

She picked up the ECG the resident had left behind and began to scrutinise that, “The ischemia is no worse, I saw your last ECG.”

“ADRIANNA!” Stuart yelled finally grabbing her attention. “They have more then enough nurses here and anyway you’re a children’s nurse and forgive me if I’m wrong I don’t know of many children who need triple bypasses. So can you stop trying to be my nurse and just be my daughter.”

She looked at him and then down to the floor when her vision began to grow fuzzy due to her tears. If she concentrated on the medical part of what was going on it gave her power, she knew what she was talking about, she could be her Father’s advocate, she was in control. If she became the daughter in this situation then she had to have emotion, her emotions were all over the place, she had been on a complete rollercoaster ever since she had gotten the new that her Dad had suffered another heart attack. She shook her head at herself as she took in a shaky breath, in the face of everything she was still lying to herself, she had been on an emotional rollercoaster ever since she had lost Molly, hell ever since she had left London after the abortion.

“I could use a hug you know,” Stuart said softly. “It has been three months, a proper hello would even suffice.”

Adie looked up to her Dad then, a small laugh escaping her lips before the dam she had managed to build broke and the months of tears and pain came flooding out, her hand coming to her mouth to stifle the sound.

“Baby I can’t get out of bed to give you a hug so you’re going to have to come to me,” Stuart told her as he held his arms out to her. She made her way to him, climbing up on the bed and snuggling into his embrace when he shuffled across to make room for her. “Let it all out honey,” He whispered as he just held her.

It took half an hour before her cries drifted into sniffs and hiccups, her exhausted body remaining slumped against her Father, the only place she felt truly safe. She hadn’t noticed that Helen had been in to close the blinds to give them privacy but she must have because they had been open when she had first arrived. She wiped her eyes of any remaining moisture before she moved her head so that she could look at her Dad.

“Why did you have to do this again Dad?” She asked making him laugh slightly.

“It’s not like I enjoy it you know.”

“You can’t go anywhere Daddy,” She told him shakily, “I only feel safe with you.”

“I’m not going to be here forever baby. You’re going to have to find somebody else to feel safe with,” He told her, wiping the tear that fell from her eyes.

“There’s nobody else I’ll feel safe with.”

“Yes there is,” he whispered as he kissed the side of her head. “He’s a good man Adie, I don’t think you’re going to find anybody better then him. What happened to you both was tragic, but Molly’s death doesn’t have to be the death of your relationship. I think deep down you know that.”

“Every time I look at him, or hear his voice, or feel his skin on mine, all I can think about is what we lost. I don’t want to be sad every time I see him, so how can I be with him if that’s all I’m ever going to feel?” She asked with a sniff.

“You move on Adie, as hard as it is you think about the future, you think about all the beautiful grandchildren you and Nick and going to give me and your Mom. You’re never going to forget about Molly but you have to let her go, just like you have to let go of everything that’s telling you to hold back.” Stuart told her.

“Are you ashamed of me?” She asked quietly.

“Why would I be ashamed of you Honey?”

“For the abortion.”

“I’m upset you felt you couldn’t come to me or your Mom and I’m sorry you felt that we put a lot of pressure on you. You just seemed so…you were very passionate about things where Rachel hadn’t been, we just wanted to help with that passion but maybe we came over as pushy and I’m sorry about that. Everybody makes mistakes Honey, mistakes make us human. You know I think mistakes are even good, as long as you learn from them,” he said, squeezing her closer to him.

“What if you make the same mistake twice?” She asked.

“What’s my motto kid?” He asked.

“If at first you don’t succeed then try, try again,” she smiled.

“Eventually he’ll only remember the time you got it right. You might have to do the running this time, you might be the one who had to fight to get what you want but I promise you, in the end it will all be worth it.”

“What if it’s too late?” She asked, her biggest fear making itself known.

“What makes you think that?”

“Rachel…she uh…I think he told her that he isn’t going to wait forever,” she whispered.

“From what he said to me today I think he’d wait forever.”

At her Fathers words she moved from the security of his embrace and looked him dead in the eye as she asked, “Nick was here?”

“Yeah,” he nodded, “He left about an hour ago to grab a coffee with Rachel before he had to catch his flight.”

Adie’s mind flashed back to her own arrival at the Hospital, Rachel had been waiting for him, why else would she have been hanging around the coffee bar? Why hadn’t her sister told her about Nick’s presence? Then again would it have really made a difference, she still didn’t know what she wanted, she still didn’t know what to say to him, she still hadn’t sent the letter she had written all those weeks ago.

So why did it bother her so much?

Her mind then clicked back to the last thing her Dad had said.

“What flight?” She asked.

“He’s going to Vegas.”

“Vegas?” She questioned.

“Yeah,” Her Dad nodded, “The twins are twenty one next week, he’s throwing them a party.”

She nodded before she rested back against her Dad. Her mind was racing a mile a minute. So he was going to Vegas? What did that matter? She had gone to Nepal without a second glance. So he had been at the hospital when she had? Then again what gave her sister the right to keep that from her? She had ample opportunity to let her know he was only a few meters from her but she hadn’t. Why was she feeling sick to her stomach about her missed opportunity of seeing him if she still didn’t know what she wanted?

Maybe that was her answer right there.

Maybe she did know what she wanted.

The only problem was what she wanted was winging his way to the other side of the country.

“His flight doesn’t leave for another hour. If you hurry you might just catch him.”

Song Credit: Backstreet Boys Feat Pitbull - Helpless

End Notes:

Let me know what you think guys!

Back At Your Door by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Adie turns up in Vegas

 

I don’t know

This could break my heart or save me

Nothings real until you let go completely

So here I go with all my thoughts

I’ve been saving

So here I go with all me fears weighing on me

 

Three months and I’m still sober

Picked all my weeds

But kept the flowers

 

And I don’t know

I could crash and burn but maybe

At the end of this road I might catch a glimpse of me

 

Three months and I’m still standing here

Three months and I’m getting better yeah

Three months and I’m still breathing

Three months and I still remember it

 

It had come full circle.

Adie had been in the same position seven years ago, she had faced a difficult decision then too. At the time she had chosen the wrong path, made the wrong decision and she knew it was one of the reasons she was in the mess she was currently in. She thought she had learnt that running didn’t solve anything, trying to forget didn’t make the problem magically disappear, she knew that now all she had to do was put those thoughts into action.

She wasn’t going to make the same mistake three times.

She had the ability to take control of her future, she had the ability to make not only herself happy but Nick as well. He deserved that probably more then she did, she wanted to make him happy, she wanted to wake up next to him everyday, she didn’t want to be without him and so it had really been a no brainer when her Dad had supplied her with all the information she needed. Adie knew what her Father had said was completely right. She couldn’t let the past ruin their future, she couldn’t dwell on loosing Molly she had to look to what they possibly could have if only she was willing to try.

She was willing to try.

So why did it seem like everything was against her now that she had made her decision?

“Boarding pass please M’am?” The security guard asked when she reached the metal detectors.

“I don’t have one,” She admitted.

“I’m going to have to ask you to step aside, I can’t let you through to departures without a valid boarding pass,” He told her calmly as he blocked her path.

“I just need to speak to somebody, I won’t get on a plane you can come with if you like, I just really need to speak to him,” She pleaded.

“Sorry M’am,” He apologised with a shake of his head, “You can buy a ticket over there and then you can come through.”

She followed the direction he pointed in and sighed as she made her way quickly towards it, she looked to her watch and then to the departures board as she waited in the short queue, his flight was already boarding. She bounced from foot to foot as she waited for the person in front to complete their transaction, and by the time it got to be her turn she was about going insane.

“I need a ticket,” She said quickly to the woman behind the desk before she could even greet Adie.

“Where to M’am?” She asked.

“Anywhere.”

“A hot destination or a cold destination?” The woman asked.

“I don’t care, just pick a place and give me a ticket,” Adie told her harshly as she tapped her credit card on the counter. 

“Are you feeling okay M’am?” The women asked concerned.

“Do I look okay to you?” She almost hissed, “It has just taken me over forty eight hours to get home, I haven’t slept, I’m hungry and I’m dirty, all I want to do is speak to someone, to tell them that I made a mistake but Mr Security over there won’t let me through without a ticket.”

“M’am I am going to have to ask you to calm down,” The woman said calmly.

“Calm down?! I have about ten minutes before his flight takes off, this is the man I am supposed to be with, I need to make sure he knows that okay? So can you please just give me a ticket, I don’t care if it to Australia, I just need a god damned ticket,” She almost begged.

The women looked at her curiously for a few seconds and Adie was certain that any moment she was going to be led away from the desk. Well it was going to be kicking and screaming if it happened, she was too damned tired to put up with anymore shit, all she needed to do was talk to him. That was why she was so surprised when the Sales Lady began furiously typing on her computer.

“How does New York sound?”

Adie smiled brightly at her, “That sounds amazing, thank you.”

***

Nick hated flying and so in turn he hated airports, it was logical really you sat in an airport waiting to board your flight, it was where all the anticipation started, maybe this was going to be the last time that he ever stepped foot on solid ground alive. Maybe this time he wouldn’t be so lucky, after the all with the amount he had flown the odds had to be starting to stack against him. He shook his head as his own ridiculous thoughts, and looked around the airport and although he hated them he had to admit that it was a great place to people watch.

You saw a bit of everyone here, every emotion could be captured in an airport, happiness, sadness, excitement, dread, anger, frustration. He had felt all of those emotions and then some since she had been gone and he knew the only reason he had waited until the final boarding call was to see if she would turn up. He was testing her and she didn’t even know, that was probably why she had failed.

He sighed heavily when he heard the final call for his flight, he stood quickly and threw his back pack over his shoulder and with one final look at the screen of his phone, he pressed the off button, plunging the picture of her into darkness. Did he really fool himself into believing that she would chase him, just like some pathetic scene from some crappy chick flick, god that was what he hated the most about those types of films. He walked to the gate and smiled at the Stewardess as he handed her his boarding pass.

“Have a nice flight sir,” She smiled brightly.

“Thanks.”

He placed the head phones in his ears and walked down the gangway to where the plane was waiting and that was why he didn’t hear her calls of his name from behind him.

***

She had been so close, if only she hadn’t been held up by the guy in front of her at the security check point, if only he had been smart enough to unload his pockets of all his change before he had walked through. Then again maybe it was a blessing in disguise, she looked and felt like utter crap, she couldn’t remember the last time she slept properly, her breath had to be completely rancid. She knew none of that would have mattered to him, the only thing he would have cared about was that she was there but she needed to know what she was going to say him.

Adie made her way back through the airport dejectedly, trying to figure out what her next move was going to be but her brain couldn’t form a simple thought and that was when she knew she had to get some sleep. She would head home, sleep and when she woke she might then have the energy to figure her life out, well maybe not her life but at least her plan to get to Nick anyway. Her pace had slowed down considerably the closer she got to the entrance of the airport, it was almost as if her body was shutting down from the overdrive she had seem to be running on for the past forty eight hours, that was until she saw what was occurring just outside of the main entrance.

“No, no, no,” she chanted to herself as she practically ran outside. “That’s my car.”

The guy just looked at her as he wrapped the final strap through the front on the chasse and tied it to the back of the trailer.

“Did you not hear me?” She asked.

“I heard ya, but this here is a drop off point, not a parking zone,” he said as he pointed to the sign.

“I was ten minutes!” She exclaimed, throwing up her hands in exacerbation.

“I don’t make the rules Lady,” he told her as he began to walk towards the front of his truck.

“WAIT!” She called after him, “Wait, can I just get my stuff out of the trunk?”

“It’s not safe for you to get on the back,” he told her as he climbed into the cab of the truck.

“Well then can’t you get it out?” She asked.

“Not insured to touch personal property,” he shrugged.

“You just took my fucking car!” She yelled.

“Because it was illegally parked,” he pointed out before he started the engine and signalled to pull away. Well technically it wasn’t her car, it was a rental but that was beside the point, most of her stuff was in the trunk, she now had no phone charger, no toothbrush, no passport, no cash, no ATM card, and as she watched the truck move off into the distance she realised that she had no way of getting home, not unless cabby’s started taking credit cards. She would just have to go back in, beg to borrow a phone and call her Mom to come and get her out of this mess.

“Hey Stranger,” She heard from behind her and she turned slowly, her heart leaping into her throat at the person before her.

***

The flight had been long and boring and Nick’s plan had to be to try and sleep through it but he had failed miserably. He just couldn’t shut his mind off, the confusion spinning round and round as he tried to decide what he should do. Was this how she had felt? Was this the reason she had originally left? Because not knowing what the other was thinking, having to put your life on hold and wait for someone else was just complete hell. They were both as bad as each other.

He just felt like he was never going to happy again, when he had given her the promise ring, he had meant it, his whole heart for his whole life, she still had it and she always would, there was no way he could move on. As much as he didn’t like her at that point, as much as he hated what grief and guilt had done to her, he loved her but he knew deep down he was done with fighting for them, it was completely up to her now. He had never been good with memorising phone numbers and he knew if he ever lost his cell phone he would be completely screwed but when he switched his phone back on after disembarking the plane the first thing he did was bring up Adie’s contact screen and after a few seconds he hit the delete button. That way the temptation to fight was gone.

It was now truly up to her.

***

“Having some trouble?” Alex asked. Adie’s focus was still on the chubby baby in his arms, he had gotten so big since the last time Adie had seen him, he was like a proper little person now, the little converse sneakers bouncing up and down every time he kicked his feet in excitement. Molly would have been two days old now or Adie would have been the size of a house if she had decided to be overdue. She couldn’t think about that, she couldn’t think about what if’s because she was dog tired and she knew that if the tears were to start again it was going to be murder to try and get them to stop.

Adie finally tore her gaze away from Max and looked to Alex with a sheepish smile, “Kind of.”

“What are you doing here?” He asked a small smile playing on his lips.

“What are you doing here?” She asked with a raise of her eyebrows.

“Dropping off a friend.”

“I was coming to see said friend but once again the world is against me,” she sighed.

“The world isn't against you Adie,” He told her sternly. “If it was Max wouldn’t have barfed everywhere and I would be long gone by now. But here I am, with a none double parked car, safely nestled away in the parking lot, I also have a house with a spare bed and a shower.”

Adie eyed him cautiously before speaking, “Do you not like being married to my sister Jay?”

“What do you mean?” He asked.

“If she finds me at your house she’ll probably file for divorce,” she deadpanned.

He laughed slightly, “I can drop you at your house if you want, I have to pick up Layla anyway. You still need me to take her?”

***

It had been three days since Nick had arrived in Vegas, the twins had arrived practically at the same time and although Nick was footing the bill he had had little say in what was going to happen. When he thought about it neither had Aaron, the only thing he had specified was that the cake had be chocolate, the pair had left all the planning to Angel, but he couldn’t fault her decisions because the night had so far gone off really well. They had sat down to eat about eight and luckily enough Chris had managed to come out and meet Nick, he had been a welcomed distraction from thinking about Adie. It had been a nice chance to catch up with one of his best friends, to reminise about old times, to party a little and relive at least some of the stress that had built up over the padt few months of his life.

That stress and worry had only built up again as the night had worn on though and the closer it got to the end of the night the more Nick wanted her there. He didn’t want to go back to an empty bedroom, to sleep in an empty bed. He wanted to talk to her, wanted to make sure that she thought Aaron and Angel had enjoyed themselves, he just wanted to hold her, to feel her hold him back.

“Your frowning again,” Angel old him when she sat down beside him

“Sorry,” He apologised as he rubbed his forehead to get rid of the lines jokingly.

“I need a smile!” She exclaimed grabbing his cheeks.

“I think you need coffee!” He chanted back, “How much have you had Sissy?”

“It doesn’t matter because I am an adult now,” She told him making him laugh. “That’s better. Thanks for the party Nickle you’re the best big brother in the world.”

“I have been told in the past. Where’s Aaron?” he asked as he looked into the crowd.

“Why are we doing cake soon?” She asked.

“Maybe.”

“I am so going to shove his face in it,” she planned out loud making Nick laugh loudly.

“I don’t think it’s going to come as a surprise Angel you do it to him every year,” He pointed out as he felt his phone begin to vibrate in his back pocket. He reached into retrieve it and pulled it up to his ear as he answered. “Hello?”

He could barely hear the person on the other end of the line but instantly he knew it was her and his heart began to race, “Nick?”

“Adie?” He almost yelled into the phone, compensating for not being able to hear her. That then got Angels attention, her head wiping back round from the conversation she had just started with Chris.

“Adie?!” She yelled excitedly, grabbing the phone out of Nick’s hand before he could do anything. “Oh my god it is you! I’m good, oww Nick get off!”

“Give me the damn phone back!” He exclaimed as he grabbed her arm.

“Hello I’m talking here,” Angel told him as she kept a firm grip on the phone but he won out in the end as he yanked the phone back from her.

“Adie?” He asked again and he knew she was talking but he just couldn’t hear her, “Hang on I can barely hear you, I’m just going to go outside.”

It seemed to take forever to make his way through the throng of people of the dance floor and he was sure by the time he would get outside she would be gone, or that his battery would have died, or that maybe it wasn’t even her at all on the other end of the phone. The noise had dulled considerably when he finally made it out in the dark of the night, not that it was really dark the illuminations of Vegas so bright it almost felt like it was day time.

He slowly bought his phone back to his ear and cautiously asked, “Adie, you still there?”

“Hi,” she almost whispered back and he wasn’t sure why but a big grin spread across his face. She could have been calling to tell him that it was over between them and yet it was just so good to hear her voice he didn’t care.

“Hi,” he echoed.

“Enjoying Vegas?” She asked.

“Yeah chaperoning thirty twenty one year olds is my idea of fun,” he chuckled. “How’s your Dad?”

“Good I think,” she told him and her choice of words made him frown.

“You think? Haven’t you seen him?” He asked.

“Not since yesterday I had a flight to catch this morning,” she told him and by the tone of her voice he knew she was heading back to Nepal.

“Are you on a layover then?” He asked, his heart sinking, that was definitely his answer right there, if she could go back that easily and that quickly, she had made her decision.

“No.”

Well that answer completely threw him off.

“So where are you?” He asked but all he heard was the dial tone of the phone before she answered. “Adie? Adie?” He said into the phone even though he knew it was futile. That was why he jumped when he heard his name called from behind him.

“Nick?”

He didn’t turn straight away because he wanted to prepare himself, this was just probably his imagination after too many beers but when he did eventually turn, he thought his heart was going to beat out of his chest when he spotted her.

“I’m in Vegas,” She told him with a shy smile.

 

So I won’t worry about my timing

I wanna get it right

No comparing, second guessing

No not this time

 

Three Months and I’m still breathing

Been a long road since those hands I left my tears in

But I know It’s never really over, no, wake up

Three months and I’m still breathing

Three months and I still remember it

Three months and I wake up

 

Song Credit - Kelly Clarkson - Sober

End Notes:
Let me know what you think! And I am going to be really cruel because I may not be updating again until next Monday! Sorry!
Masquerade by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Nick finally tells Adie how he really feels

 

The room was dark save from the hint of light that shone out from the bathroom, Nick couldn’t even remember going in the bathroom so who knew why it was on, but it was just casting enough light so he could see her in the shadows. He watched Adie as she slept, she looked so peaceful, happy even and he knew why, because she still hadn’t faced up to what she needed to. Sleep had come easily for her, the second she had snuggled against his shoulder and closed her eyes he knew she was gone but he had found it much more difficult. The guilt had crept it’s way in as soon as he felt her orgasm rip through her, pulling him right along simultaneously, and the more he looked around the room, the more he focused on the lamp they had knocked over, the disarray of clothes they had ripped off, the more he knew he had made a huge mistake.

He had, once again, let her breeze in on her terms. He knew it wasn’t going to solve anything and yet he had practically been putty in her hands at the first sight of her.

She looked at him shyly for a few moments, before she made any attempt to move but before he knew it she had thrown her arms around his neck tightly the high heels she was wearing making it easy for her to nestle her head between his shoulder and his head. He stood stunned for a few seconds before he in turn wrapped his arms around her middle and lifted her off the ground, her giggle at his antics making him smile brightly.

“I’ve -” he was going to say missed you but she quickly placed a finger to his lips as he placed her back on the floor.

“Can we not….you know. Can we enjoy tonight? Have some fun?” She asked.

He took a deep breath in and looked away from her for a moment, he knew what he had to do. He had to be firm, niceness would get them nowhere, ignoring the problem would not make it go away and he was just about to tell her that when he heard her name squealed from the entrance of the club.

“ADIE!!!!!!!”

She turned her head quickly and laughed when she spotted Angel staggering towards her. Adie met her halfway and threw her arms around Angel in a hug, Nick watched the exchange from a slight distance and that was the moment he made the mistake. He knew by saying no to her that the outcome would be an argument, it was inevitable because even though she had shown up, three months was a lot of time to build up animosity towards someone. Yet he knew he couldn’t spoil the Twins night, twenty one was a special birthday, he had thrown this party for them and after all they had been through as a family he didn’t want to ruin yet another special occasion in their lives. His and Adie’s problems would still be there in the morning.

That had been what had got him through the first few hours, that and his growing sexual desire for her. It had been well over four months since they had been together intimately and from the way she started behaving towards him after she literally threw her fifth shot down her throat, he knew she was feeling the desire as well. She had never really been one to start off the foreplay when they were in public, that was usually down to him, and that was why he had been so shocked when she had shimmied up behind him when he had been waiting at the bar, unzipped the front of his pants and traced a finger down his length, before zipping him back up and walking away. One drink later and they had been making out in the elevator on the way to his room at the hotel.

He felt her hands trail down his sides as he pushed her against the wall of the elevator with his hips, her lips still firmly pressed against his, their tongues duelling for control. He moaned into her mouth when her hands trailed to the front of his pants, rubbing him through the fabric, his own hands finding their way underneath her tank top. The “ding” signalling that they had reached their floor made them both jump and pull apart slightly with a small laugh but when they realised the floor was deserted they resumed their previous behaviour.

His mouth only left hers as he swiped the key card and pushed the door open and before long she was in his arms again, pushing him further into the room, her kisses becoming more passionate by the second. By the time they got to the bed, his shirt had been tossed aside, hers along with it, his mouth trailing down her neck and along her collar bone as her hands worked at undoing his belt.

“Nick? I need you,” she moaned as he felt the cool air hit his erection when she pushed his pants down. He moaned deeply when she touched him for the first time but the good feeling was gone too quickly, his desire for her increasing when she stepped out of her skirt, leaving her only in her matching bra and panties. He quickly stepped out of his pants before her picked her up, her leg clipping the lamp, making it crash to the floor.

“Fuck,” he laughed, making her giggle along with him. He placed her in the middle of the bed before he began his assault on her body. He trailed his kisses and licks up both of her legs, smirking when he eyed his target. He roughly pulled her panties down her legs, throwing them across the room before he zeroed in on her pussy. She hissed in pleasure when he dragged his tongue up her slit before nibbling on her clit, her hands coming to either side of his head and pulling him up before he could do it again.

She flipped them so he was on his back answering his questioning look, “It’s been too long.”

He smirked in agreement and took the hand that she held out in his, moaning when she stroked his shaft before sinking down on to it.

“You’re so wet, Jesus,” He groaned as she pulled back off of him before sinking down slowly again.

She didn’t say anything, instead she just grabbed his other hand as she continued to bounce up and down on him, her pace increasing quickly. She didn’t say anything, the only noise escaping her lips being low moans and it wasn’t until Nick felt her orgasm begin that he realised something, she hadn’t looked at him the whole time he had been inside her. She hadn’t told him she loved him, hadn’t smiled down at him, hadn’t even spoken his name but by that point he was too far gone and he came not seconds after she did.

He closed his eyes as the realisation sunk in, and it was then he made himself get up and out of the bed. He couldn’t wake up with her, he couldn’t let her wake up with him and pretend that everything was okay, that everything was back to normal.

He couldn’t wake up with her because he felt like he had just fucked a complete stranger.

I Gotta know the girl behind the mask

Where you been? Let me in, don’t pretend

Don’t gotta hide alone

Show your face to me, we could be everything

***

It had been five am when Nick had pulled himself out of the bed, he had tried sleeping on the small couch but he had just found himself looking over at her on the bed, his anger towards her and himself only increasing by the slowly passing minutes. He felt like the walls were closing in on him, he felt like waking her up, asking her what the hell she was playing at but he knew when they did finally sit down and talk he wanted to be calm, he wanted to remember everything he needed to say to her. With that in mind, he quickly put on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, placed his feet into his sneakers and made sure to grab his wallet and phone.

He wasn’t sure whether it was just because it was so early in the morning, or because there was more fun to be had in Vegas, but the gym was deserted and so after stretching out he made his way over to the treadmill and cranked it up on the highest incline it could go. The only sound in the gym being the pounding of his feet and his heavy breathing.

He got so lost in his own thoughts that it was only when his lungs started to burn from the strenuous workout that he realised he had been running for an hour. He slowed the speed of the treadmill down considerably as he worked down all his muscles and heart rate before stepping off the machine, his legs feeling slightly like jelo as he walked to the water fountain. He looked at the clock on the wall, six am, he knew that he had planned brunch with just Angel and Aaron for around noon, and knowing how wasted they were it was probably going to be pushed back to more like one pm anyway, it would give him plenty of time to talk to Adie. Then maybe an hour or two away from her would be good because there was a lot of stuff he needed to get off his chest, there was lots he needed to say and most of it wasn’t going to be very nice for her to hear, but she did need to hear it.

She was still sleeping by the time he got back up to the room, she hadn’t moved a muscle, her head still nestled firmly into the pillow, the sheet pulled up to her neck, just like she always slept, she cocooned herself, usually stealing all the covers from him in the process. Yet it was something he loved about her, it was something he missed when they were apart, and he actually found himself kicking the covers off more of often then not because he ended up too hot with them on.

He gently eased himself down on the bed beside her, how could someone who looked so much like his Sugar Puff seem like a complete stranger? Did the Adie he fell in love with still exist? What if too much had happened for her to be that person again? Would he be able to stay with her if this was who she was going to be? But would he physically be able to leave if it was?

He lightly pulled a stray piece of hair from her face, it made her stir slightly but she didn’t wake, the small sigh that escaped her lips stifled when she pushed her face further into the pillow.

“I love you,” he whispered, “I really do.”

He got up from the bed carefully, not wanting to jostle it too much in fear of waking her. He needed to shower first, and grab some coffee and then he would face what was probably going to be the most difficult conversation in his life.

***

Adie could hear movement around the room, but the bed was so cosy, so warm that she didn’t want to move, she didn’t want to get up and start the day, she just wanted to lay there and bask in the memory of the night before, snuggled in Nick’s arms. So when she moved to try and find him in the bed and came up empty handed, she opened one eye regretting it immediately when she remembered all of the alcohol that she had poured into her body the night before. She closed her eye quickly and bought her hand up to her forehead, rubbing it to try and rid the throb that was there, more sleep was what she needed and she was just about to try and drift back off to sleep when she heard his voice.

“You awake?” He asked gruffly.

“Mmm,” she moaned lightly as she opened her eyes more carefully. She spotted him sat down on the couch on the opposite side of the room, tying to laces to his sneakers, “What time is it?”

She watched as he bought his wrist up to his face so he could look at his watch, “Almost seven.”

“Seven?” She repeated slightly confused.

If it was seven am why they hell was he up and dressed? He had to have been up for at least half an hour because he looked like he had just jumped out of the shower, his damp hair messy from where he had just brushed his fingers through it. They had only made it back to the hotel at two am, they couldn’t have fallen asleep much before three and yet he was up and dressed. Well there was no way she was getting up, not for at least another three hours.

“Come back to bed,” she told him, flinging the sheet back slightly so he could slid in between them with her.

He didn’t say anything, he just stood up and shoved his wallet in his back pocket before he grabbed his phone from the nightstand along with the key card.

“Baby,” She pouted playfully, “Come back to bed, it’s early.”

“I’m going to get coffee and when I get back, we’re going to talk,” he told her firmly.

“Can’t we do that later? It’s early and I think this headache is going to turn into the hangover from hell. I think I need one of your hugs to make me feel better,” She pouted jokingly, the smile fading from her face instantly when he squared his jaw and uttered his next words at her.

“Yeah well I could have used a hug three months ago. We don’t always get what we want,” he said bitterly as he threw one of his T-shirts at her before she watched him walk out of the door.

***

Nick knew he had been harsh but he couldn’t pretend anymore and he wasn’t going to apologise to her, after all she hadn’t apologised for leaving, for not returning his calls, for not writing to him like she had everyone else. He made his way along the corridor to his room and when he reached the door, he balanced one cup on top of the other before he swiped the card and opened the door.

He spotted her immediately on the other side of the room, the sudden movement of the door catching her off guard, making her cover her almost naked body with his t-shirt.

“I thought you were housekeeping,” she explained as she pulled the t-shirt over her head before taking the coffee cup that he offered her. “I seem to remember you bringing me coffee when I had the hangover from hell after our first date.”

He remembered that too. He remembered putting her to bed, making sure there was a trash can right beside her, cleaning up her bathroom, he remembered checking on her every hour. Her couch had been beyond uncomfortable to sleep on and that was one of the reasons he had gone out for coffee when it had been late enough. He remembered every detail of how she looked when she walked out of her room in just her underwear expecting to see her sister. He remembered how crimson her cheeks had flushed when she spotted him instead, how she had tried to hide her scantly clad body behind a throw, he remembered how the mascara had been smudged across her face when she finally reappeared in clothes. He would never forget the dab of toothpaste in the corner of her mouth that she hadn’t realised was there, the way she tried to hide behind her hair, the look of shock on her face when he asked to see her again that night. He almost let out a small smile when he thought about their second date but that was what she wanted, whether she was doing it consciously or not, she was trying to divert his attention and he wasn’t going to let her do that again.

He shook his head at her, “Don’t.”

“Don’t what?” She asked confused, her smile disappearing quickly as she sat down on the bed.

“You know what,” he told her sternly, he remained stood at the foot of the bed looking down at her as she reclined back against the headboard, her ankle crossing at the end of the bed.

“You need to get some sleep Nick, we can talk later,” she told him as she patted the space beside her whilst taking a swig of her coffee.

“No we can talk now and if you have nothing to say then that’s fine but trust me I’ve got plenty I want to say,” he told her almost angrily as he placed his half empty coffee cup on the desk.

“What the hell is wrong with you?” She asked as she placed her own cup on the night stand before moving to sit Indian style on the bed.

“Wrong with me?” He bit back, unsure that he had heard her correctly.

“Yeah you’re like Jekyll and Hyde, last night you were fine, we had fun, I wake up this morning and you have a face like a slapped ass, your moody as hell and your snapping at me.”

“Yeah I wonder why?” he said throwing his hands up in exasperation. He knew what game she was playing and he hadn’t wanted it to turn into an argument but if it was the only way he was going to be able to get his point across then it was something he would have to do. She stared at him for a moment before she shook her head.

“I’m too tired to sit here and play your games so just say what you need to say,” she told him angrily. She was making him out to be the bad guy, he was moody with her because he was tired. He tried counting to ten, he tried to calm himself slightly but he got to number three before he opened his mouth.

“You’re too tired to play my games? Are you fucking kidding me? The only person here whose been playing games is you, I look at you and I have no fucking clue who you are anymore,” He spat back, pointing an accusing finger before he continued. “You turn up out of the blue, unannounced and uninvited and try and act like nothing’s happened. You threw shot after shot down your neck last night, you were dancing on the tables you-”

She cut him off with a smug look on her face as she said, “You didn’t seem to mind, I mean you didn’t have a problem coming back here and fucking me.”

He smiled at her comment, “I’m glad that’s how you put it because that’s exactly what it was, a cheap fuck. I should have screwed a complete stranger last night, there probably would have been more emotion in it.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” She asked as she placed one foot and the floor and crossed her arms across her chest.

“You didn’t even look at me, you didn’t talk to me, you didn’t tell you loved me, from the moment I was inside you, you didn’t even kiss me,” he counted off on his fingers, almost seeing red again when she began to speak.

“Well what goes around comes around, maybe it’s just karma from the all groupies you screwed.”

“No,” he shook his head, “You are NOT going to make this about that, about my past with girls, that has nothing to do with this.”

She stood abruptly and immediately he knew what he plan was. He crossed his arms over his chest and moved closer towards the door, yet he knew if she choose to leave, he would let her.

“I’m not making it about anything because I’m going to leave and come back when you’re in a better mood.”

“I’m not going to be in a better mood but if you want to leave then leave. But if you walk out of door then don’t expect me to still be here when you come back, we either do this now or not at all. But if you leave don’t ever expect to see me again,” He near on hissed and no matter how quickly she covered the look of shock in her eyes at his words, he still saw it. That was when he knew she wouldn’t leave.

“So that’s it? We do this your way or not at all?” She asked, not moving from where she had planted her feet on the floor.

 “Yeah, I’ve done it enough for you in the past,” Nick reminded. She stared at him for a few moments but his piercing gaze was obviously too much for her and she dropped her eyes to the floor before she dropped her body onto the bed in defeat.

“You wanted to talk so talk,” she told him when she eventually looked at him again. He still couldn’t see her, no matter how hard he looked he still couldn’t find any trace of her and that’s what he told her.

“You know I look at you and I have no idea who you are anymore, you’re not the woman I fell in love with.” Nick expected her to disagree, to argue with him and maybe that was why her next question was so shocking to him.

“Then why are you still with me?”

“I’ve asked myself that everyday since you’ve been away and I don’t know why. I was kind of hoping that maybe you were doing the right thing, that maybe you would come back and you would have worked through the stuff you promised me you would, but you haven’t. You did what you do best, you ran, you worked on other peoples problems and not your own, not ours and I resent you for that. You left me hanging, you’ve done that a lot this year,” he told her truthfully, obviously hitting a nerve if her next comment was anything to go by.

“You did it to me for three years Nick, I had to put my plans on hold for you.”

 “So what, this was your retaliation? This was your way of making me realise what I had done to you was wrong? It’s a little immature don’t you think?” He frowned.

She shook her head at him,“ No it wasn’t about retaliation, it wasn’t about getting my own back. I thought I was doing the right thing, I thought some space was going to help me.”

He sighed as he looked away from her, focusing on he panties he had thrown from her body not hours before. He was so angry at himself for that, and that’s what it was about, he was more angry at himself then her because he was weak and he still needed her.

“I’m angry at you for going but I think I’m angrier at myself for letting you leave,” he admitted softly.

“Then why did you? Why did you let me go?” She asked, almost jumping up from the bed in anger, “I remember lying in your arms the night before I left asking you to ask me to stay and you didn’t. You told me that I had to go. Why didn’t you fight for me? Fight for us?”

He looked at her for a few moments, finally realising how exhausted he was, and that was exactly what he told her, “Because I’m tired of fighting for us, I can’t do it anymore. I feel like I’m fighting a loosing battle because you pull away anyway.”

“But I’m here now,” she said softly as she took a few steps towards him. He knew that if she got any closer, that if she wrapped her arms around him like he knew she was planning that he would cave. He couldn’t do that, she needed to hear this, she needed to hear how he felt and so he did the only thing he could think off, he got sarcastic.

“You want a medal or something?” Nick sneered.

“Why are you being this nasty?” She asked softly, the pain from his words registering clearly on her face and Nick almost felt guilty. “I get that I hurt you, I get that you’re pissed off and I know I made a mistake but you’ve made mistakes too Nick, and you’ve hurt me in the past too.”

“But this is something we should have gone through together, this is something we should have each other through because nobody else knows how it feels, he pointed out, feeling the first few tears start to well in his eyes. “You left me you, you swaned off halfway around the world and you left me to deal with the pain of loosing our daughter all by myself. You didn’t call me, when I did call you were always too busy, do you know what it felt when everyone else got a letter but me?”

“I did write you a letter, I wrote you three letters,” Adie admitted.

“But you didn’t send them, do you know what kind of message that sent? You say you figured out you made a mistake but I know that’s not the reason you came home, I know you, you hate admitting when you’re wrong.”

Her silence was enough for him, yet he still needed to hear it for himself.

“I need you to answer one question for me. I need to know whether you would have come home if your Dad hadn’t had the heart attack?”

She was quiet for maybe a minute but eventually she looked him square in the eye as she spoke, “I don’t know. I figured out that I had made a mistake the night before I got the call about him but I don’t know whether I would have come home straight away.”

At least she was honest, she could have lied, not that he would have believed her and then he asked the other question that had been plaguing his mind.

“Did you even remember?”

“Remember what?” Adie asked with a frown.

“They day Molly should have been born? I sent you a text it would have got to you the next day because of the time difference, but late is better then never,” he told her making sure to get the dig in. He was past caring about sparing her feelings, after all she hadn’t been too concerned with his on that day.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry I didn’t call you, I’m sorry I didn’t text you, I should have acknowledged the day but I didn’t know what to say, it was an awful day, I lost a patient and I was surrounded by grief all day, that was when I knew I made a mistake.”

He couldn’t believe what he was hearing, she had an awful day because she lost a patient? Why the hell was she working? Why didn’t she care enough to take the day off? Then again he hadn’t, he had worked as a way of trying to get through the day and yet all the usual last night of tour jokes and happy spirits hadn’t been enough to help him.

“Yeah well I had a bad day too and I could have used some sort of message from you, I could have used someone to talk to, everybody was so happy around me, I could have said something, but I didn’t want to piss on his day,” He rambled not remembering that she didn’t know about Howie’s and Leigh’s news.

“What are you talking about?” She asked confused.

“Leigh’s pregnant,” He blurted out, not missing how she had to swallow that lump that formed in her throat at the news.

"They told you on…” She hesitated.

“They told us all on the last night of the tour, which just happened to be Molly’s due date,” He nodded.

“Because you had to reschedule stuff,” she remembered out loud. He was only supposed to be home for a few days but obviously when Molly had been still born there was no way he could face getting back on the road quickly. The guys had actually been against touring again before the end of the year but he had been the one to persuade them to finish the remaining dates and adding the missing ones on to the end.

“Yeah. I know he didn’t do it on purpose and he apologised when he figured it out but it hurt. It still hurts,” he admitted, the tears dangerously close to spilling. “When my folks split, when me and the fellas took a break and I did my solo stuff I felt alone but that was nothing compared to this. I’ve never felt so alone in my life, I had nobody to talk to, nobody who would understand anyway. You were the one person who knew exactly what it felt like, exactly how much it hurt, every time I think about it it’s like someone’s twisting at my insides,” he choked out, knowing that it was futile to keep it at bay now. He looked deep in to her eyes as he told her, “I needed you, I needed you to be there when I woke up at night, I needed you to hold me and tell me that it was okay to be sad, I needed you to tell me that it was okay to be jealous of my brothers for having beautiful kids. And more then anything I needed you to tell me that we were going to get through this, that we were going to make it and that someday we could try again and have a another baby. But you walked way from me, you walked away from me when I needed you the most.”

He managed to get out what he wanted to say and he quickly looked away from her and swiped at the tears that had fallen. He knew she would try and console him, try and hug him and he hadn’t told her to get her sympathy, he had shared it with her to make her see how selfish she had been.

“Nick,” as predicted she moved towards him.

"No,” he pushed her away, “No I don’t want you to hold me now, your three months too late. I’m still sad but now I’m more angry at you then anything. You said that you thought it hadn’t effected me because I didn’t cry in front of you and I get that you were hurting, I understand that. What I don’t understand is why it took you so long to realise that she was my baby too, that I was excited too and that when she died, part of me did too,” He told her pointing to himself. “I know that’s how you feel. Some days I wake up and I can actually get out of bed, have breakfast and take a shower before I think about her, I even made it to lunch once and then there’s bad Molly days when it’s a struggle to find a reason to get out of bed. You should have been my reason, I should have been able to look over at you and you should have been my reason to get out of bed Adie, but you weren’t there,” he cried, not even bothering to wipe at his eyes.

“I’m sorry,” she told him, her head titling to the side as her own tears fell.

“Yeah,” he nodded as he sniffed, “You keep saying that.”

“Well what do you want me to say? What do you want me to do?” She asked sincerely.

He thought that he knew, he thought that her coming back was going to be enough. Well she was right in front of him but the answer still wasn’t there, they were still screwed up, still fighting and as much as he loved her, he was tired. He was tired of fighting, he was tired of being strong, he was tired of having his love for her thrown back in his face.

“I don’t know, I don’t know what I want,” He admitted. “Right now I’m just wondering whether it’s going to be easier to follow your example and walk out the door. I think I’ve been trying to fool myself for weeks that you would come back and it was all going to be fine because it’s not.”

Nick didn’t miss how Adie’s eyes bulged in realisation of what he was saying, he didn’t miss how they filled with more tears, he didn’t miss how she started shaking her head at him in disbelief before she spoke.

“Don’t do this, don’t walk away.”

“Why?” he asked, throwing his hands up, “Why is it okay for you to walk away and not me?”

“I was hurting and I was confused,” she tried to tell him but no excuse was going to be good enough. If she really loved him she would have thought about him and not just focused on her own feelings, he realised that now.

“I’m hurting too,” he reminded.

She took a step towards him and he took one back away from her, “I love you, we can work through this.”

“Yeah now that you’re ready. But I think I’m done,” he admitted.

“No,” she shook her head. “No you’re not going to give up that easy Nick.”

“I’ve been trying for three months Adie, I’m done.”

She shook her head at him, pulling on his arm as he made a move to turn away from her but he just tried to shrug her off. It only made her tighten her grip on him as she became slightly irate. He knew she would get like this, he knew she would find it hard to hear and he himself could believe that he was going to be the one to walk away from her. Yesterday he had been so happy when she had turned up and yet not twelve hours later he was walking away from her.

“No, no, no, NO!” she yelled the last time, managing to somehow get in front of him and block the door.

 “Let me out,” he said calmly.

“No,” she shook her head, wiping her tears, “No you’re not going anywhere.”

“I’m done,” he told her again.

“But I’m not. I want to fight. I’ll fight for us,” she told him placing a hand on his arm.

He shook his head, “It’s not enough, let me out.”

She stood strong and shook her head no again making Nick’s patience start to wear thin.

“Adie let me out!” He told her firmly shrugging her hands of off him, his anger quickly boiling to the surface when she placed them on his arm again. He didn’t know whether it was due to the anger and frustration, due to his emotion and guilt or just down to the fact that he was dog tired but he completely lost his temper, to an extent that he knew she had never seen before. It was like something flashed, he could see himself doing it, it was like he wasn’t part of his own body and he watched as he ripped his arms from her hands and punched the door just above her head as he screamed “LET ME OUT!”

Song Credits: Backstreet Boys - Masquerade

End Notes:

I really want to know what you think about this chapter!

Last Request by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Adie asks Nick for one last chance

 

Adie couldn’t believe what she was hearing, he was giving up on them? He couldn’t, not after everything they had gone through. He had been the one to tell her that there was no one else in the world that he wanted to be with, he had been the one to fight for them when she had wanted to leave, so why was he ready to just throw the towel in? Why, when they were so close to figuring it all out, did he just decide that he had had enough? That he wanted out? She knew she had made a mistake in leaving but she had come to him, she had turned up in Vegas to find him, to let him know that she was ready, that she wanted to be with him and he had seemed happy enough with it. It was just the tiredness talking, that was the only thing it could be, she knew what that felt like, with all that had happened she too felt emotionally and physically drained. She had to make him understand that.

“No,” she shook her head. “No you’re not going to give up that easy Nick.”

“I’ve been trying for three months Adie, I’m done,” he told her softly but firmly and then he made his move towards the door. She quickly made her move to stop him but he shrugged off her arm and so she became more vocal.

“No, no, no, NO!” she yelled the last time, managing to somehow get in front of him and block the door.

“Let me out,” he said calmly, but she stood tall, her back pressed firmly against the door, if he wanted out he was going to have to physically pull her away.

“No,” she shook her head, wiping her tears, “No you’re not going anywhere.”

“I’m done,” he told her again, his eyes narrowing.

“But I’m not. I want to fight. I’ll fight for us,” she told him placing a hand on his arm. It was her turn to fight, her turn to be the strong one and she wanted to be, she wanted to make it work, she wanted to be with him.

He shook his head, “It’s not enough, let me out.” She stood strong and shook her head no again making Nick’s patience start to wear thin. She reached out for his arm, maybe if she touched him, held him, maybe he would realise that she did care, that she was sorry but he shoved her arm out of the way.

“Adie let me out!” He seemed to hiss but she shook her head again, tried to wrap her arms around him again but something inside him seemed to change right in front of her. It was almost as if the Nick she knew had disappeared, his eyes darkened, his jaw clenched and he grabbed her arms with such force she knew she would bruise. That wasn’t the scariest part though and as soon as she saw the fist coming, she held her breath in shock as her body seemed to freeze. The crack of his fist against the door just above her head, with his scream off “LET ME OUT!” was enough to remind her to breathe.

She looked at the anger in his eyes, his icy glare so cold that she stepped aside without another word and when he threw open the door and stormed through it she slid down the wall, sobbing into her hands.

***

Nick made it to the elevators before he seemed to realise what had just happened, and when he looked down to his throbbing right hand, the already darkening bruise was not the first thing he noticed, it was the uncontrollable shaking of both of his hands. What the hell had he just done? Had he really just punched the door mere centimetres from her head? Had he really just screamed at her? What the hell was happening to him? He caught his reflection in the shiny doors of the elevator, his eyes were red rimmed, the bags under his eyes so noticeable and he had to look away because he hated the man who was staring back at him.

He wiped his hand across his face as he tried to come up with some sort of plan in his head, but his mind just kept repeating his fist connecting with the door, the sheer look of terror on her face. She really thought that he was going to hit her and if he was honest with himself he knew he came so, so close to doing just that. That was why he had just left, he just walked away without uttering a single word because the anger towards her was just too much and if he had stayed there was the possibility that he wouldn’t be able to control himself. What the hell did that say about him?

He found himself just outside the door to the suite that Angel and Aaron were sharing, it was a mere three doors down from his own room, the room that he left her in. In the minute that he stood and stared at the gold plated numbers attached to the door, he could hear her sobbing. He hated being the cause for her tears but yet he felt almost happy that she was actually crying, that she did have some emotion left, god what had she done to him, to them? He was happy that she was crying, it was totally messed up but instead of going to her, instead of making sure that she was okay, he knocked on the door of the suite. He had to pound a few times but eventually he heard someone shout that they were coming and not two seconds later the door was yanked open.

“What?” Angel grumbled, her hair completely in her face, as she tried to wipe the sleep from her eyes.

“Hi to you to,” Nick grumbled back.

“It can’t be midday already can it? Can we do lunch later?” she asked through a yawn.

“Relax it’s not midday,” he told her as he followed her into the suite.

“What time is it?” She asked.

Nick looked down to his watch before answering, “Eight thirty.”

Angel snapped her head round quickly, a glare forming on her face, “Eight friggin thirty? I didn’t get to bed till five am Nick! What the hell are you doing here?”

“I think I’ve just ended my relationship.”

***

Adie’s sobs had quieted into silent tears, with the occasional hiccup of emotion escaping. She hadn’t managed to pull herself from the floor, and with her head resting back against the wall she knew it wouldn’t be very long until she drifted off into a restless sleep. She wanted to go after him, wanted to convince him to change his mind, but she was scared to. He had been quite clearly angry and if she was honest with herself she was too scared to go and see him because she had no idea what he was capable of, after all she would never have expected him to do something like that in the past.

She heard footsteps heading towards the door that had remained open and half of her wanted it to be Nick coming back but the other half was scared of what he would say, what he would do if it was him. She wiped at her eyes before flinching as someone knocked on the door.

“Adie?”

She looked up and spotted Aaron stood at the door. She wiped at her eyes again as she turned her head away.

“Can I come in?” he asked hesitantly, she nodded slowly and he entered the room, closing the door quietly behind him. He stood at the door beside her for a few seconds before he made his way over to the couch and sat down on it.

“Is Nick in your room?” She asked.

He nodded, “I’m sharing a suite with Angel. What’s going on?”

“He left. He’s given up on us,” she told him softly as she remained sat on the floor.

“He’s angry,” Aaron told her.

“Did he ask you to check on me?” She asked and his silence was answer enough, Nick obviously hadn’t.

“He doesn’t care anymore.”

“If he didn’t care Adie he wouldn’t be this broken. I think he’s just exhausted.”

“So why won’t he let me fight? Why won’t he give me the chance? I’m so sick of felling like this, I’m so sick of crying,” she told him.

“Then don’t. Don’t do it anymore. Go in there and tell him that you aren’t ready to let him go without a fight,” Aaron told her sternly, raising his arm to point in the direction of the room that Nick was in.

“It won’t change his mind,” she huffed as she crossed her arms over her chest.

“You don’t know that. Nick told me not too long ago that if you want something, if you truly believe in something then it’s worth fighting for, even if you don’t win, even if you don’t get what you want at least you know you tried. Sitting here crying about it isn’t going to get him back Adie, he’s not going to come to you, you have to go to him,” He reminded.

She, as always, disregarded his comment, “He’s not going to listen.”

“Make him listen! Make him understand!” He exclaimed.

“We just end up arguing Aaron, we yell and we scream and then one of us walks away.”

Aaron studied her for a few moments before standing up and shaking his head at her. He walked towards the door but before he opened it he turned and bent down in front of her his eyes focused solely on hers.

“For somebody who says they want him back, you seem awfully quick to put up barriers, to make excuses. Put him and your self in a position where you can’t walk away, where you have to talk about this.”

She watched as he stood back up and quietly let himself out of the room and it was then she knew what she had to.

***

Nick sat in the main living area of the twins suite, it had been an hour and a half since he had walked out on Adie, he had spoken to Angel after she had sent Aaron to check on the women he had just walked out on but even her support in his decision still wasn’t enough. He still wasn’t sure if he had made the right decision, if he loved her like he knew he did then why had he walked away from her? For the three months she had been gone he had pined for her, had missed her so much that he felt sick when he thought about how far away she had been. So why, after only spending a few hours with her, had he walked away?

Why had he listened to his head instead of his heart? He wasn’t sure but it seemed to make his head ache as much as his heart did.

He sighed as he looked around the room, wine glasses and empty beer bottles littered most of the surfaces, there was an array of shoes, that were probably all Angels strewn about the floor, and in between the messy pile of birthday cards in the middle of the coffee table was Angel’s camera. He leaned forward and retrieved it, flicking the face down to power it on before he hit the review button to look at the pictures that had been taken last night. He smiled and even laughed out loud at the first few pictures he looked at, they had obviously been so drunk by that time. The first photo he came to that had Adie in made that smile disappear quickly as he studied it.

She had been taking a bite out of a yellow cup cake with Angel, her dark hair pulled back into a ponytail, the giggling that Angel had been doing still apparent on her face. It had almost been like she had never been away, he could remember how sweet her kiss had been after that shot because of the icing that had remained on her lips. He continued to flick through the rest of the photos but every time he came to a picture of her he would stop and study it, even if she was off to one side, even if he could just catch a glimpse of her hand in the frame. The picture he had stopped on the longest was the one of him and Aaron after Angel had smushed his face into the cake, Nick was trying to help him rid his face of the red icing and Adie was in the background. She wasn’t looking at the camera, her attention was solely focused on Nick, her eyes saying it all, he was the only person in the room that mattered at the moment, she didn’t look sad, she didn’t look upset, she actually looked happy and he knew on more then one occasion that he had looked at her in exactly the same way.

He sighed heavily as he flicked to the next picture but the camera had other ideas and when the battery died the screen went black, making him replace the camera to where he had found it. He spun himself round so that his feet were on the other end of the couch as he reclined back, he just needed to get some sleep, he just needed to escape for a while and so he closed his eyes.

A groan of frustration escaped his lips when his cell phone chimed, signalling that he had received a text message, he sighed heavily as he reached into his pocket to retrieve his blackberry and he almost didn’t open the message when he saw who it was from. The curiosity ended up getting the better of him, he needed to know what she had said, what she wanted, whether it was her saying goodbye.

Can you please meet me outside the main entrance? X

***

Adie leant against the side of the car, blowing some air out of her mouth to try and cool herself off from the dry heat of the sun. She had sent the text message to him almost twenty minutes ago and ever since then her eyes had been focused on the main entrance to the hotel so there was no way he had come out and not seen her. She had thought about going to him but this way, by leaving it up to him she knew he wasn’t likely to explode like he had before. She looked down at her phone again, she was going to give him another ten minutes before texting him again and if he hadn’t shown by eleven am then she wasn’t going to bother him again for the rest of the day, she would just try again tomorrow.

Turned out that he only needed another three minutes.

She saw him walk out of the main entrance his hand coming up to shade his eyes from the sun as he scanned the surroundings for her. He spotted her quickly and walked towards her, stopping a few feet away, he said nothing just stared at her as he again raised his hand to block the sun from his eyes. She had to stifle a chuckle, some things definitely never changed. She grabbed the spare pair of sunglasses from her bag that was resting on the hood of that car and handed them to him.

“Thanks,” he said softly as he took them from her and placed them on.

“I didn’t think you would come,” she told him as she removed her own sunglasses so that he would be able to see her whole face, so that if he told her no he would have to look at the hurt in her eyes.

“I needed to say sorry. I shouldn’t have punched the door,” he mumbled.

“Did you mean it?” She asked.

“Huh?” He asked confused.

“When you said you were done? Did you mean it?” She asked biting her lip.

He looked away from her for a moment and for some reason she took his silence as a positive thing, if he was sure, he would have been sure, he would have been quick to answer. His hesitation was her hope. Until he spoke his next words.

“I said it didn’t I?” She searched his face for a moment, and she couldn’t quite put her finger on it but she knew he was lying, and it was then she knew she couldn’t let him walk away from her again because if he walked today then there was a huge possibility he would be able to convince himself that this was for the best.

She shook her head, “I don’t believe you. I don’t believe that you are willing to give up on three years this easily. I don’t believe that you would wait for three months to tell me this, I don’t believe you would sleep with me one minute and then throw me away the next.”

“I’m done Adie, I can’t do this anymore so I’m done,” he shrugged as he began to walk away from her.

“I don’t even get a chance?” She asked.

He whipped round quickly, pointing an accusing finger as he bit back, “I gave you a chance, you had your chance, Nepal was your chance and you blew it.”

“I made a mistake Nick.”

“Yeah you did and that’s the difference between us, I’m not going to make a mistake,” he said as he turned to leave again but again she called after him.

“What about forever Nick? What about wanting to be with me forever?”

He stopped dead in his tracks but he didn’t turn to face her so she carried on.

“I know you still love me. I know you’re angry at me, I know you probably want to say horrible things to me, I know you think I’m selfish and that I don’t care about you or how you’ve felt. I also know that when I was angry at you, when you were closed off and wouldn’t talk to me, that I still loved you. I loved you in spite of all your insecurities, I still loved you even though you felt you couldn’t trust me enough to tell me about your feelings, your emotions. I still loved you when I walked away from you. That was the biggest mistake that I ever made in my life and I was stupid enough to repeat it and in a way you were stupid enough to let me go. I’ve made the mistake and I don’t want to see you make it too.”

“So what? Are you going to kidnap me?” He asked turning to face her.

She looked at him for a few moments, knowing that she had a shot, if he was adamant about leaving, about it being over, he would have been long gone, hell he wouldn’t have even responded to her text message. She opened the door of the car and pulled out another bag, placing it on the hood of the car along with her purse she pulled out a few things.

“I have a car with a full tank of gas,” she told him as she patted the silver Grand Cherokee Jeep that she had been leaning against. She held up the bottles of water and packet of cheetos, “ I have water and snacks. I have an IPOD full of cheesy music fit for a road trip and I am the worlds best player and unbeaten Champion of the Jones’ eye spy tournament, but I am missing one thing.”

“What?” He asked.

“It doesn’t have a Sat Nav and you know me and maps. If I am ever going to make it back home I need your help,” she told him softly, her head tilting to the side slightly as she awaited his reaction.

“You’re driving back to Nashville? Seriously?” He asked, his brow furrowing.

“Yep,” she told him nodding her head.

“That’s like a three day trip with the way that you drive,” he pointed out.

“I’ve got lots to talk about and I figured neither of us would try and get out of the car when it’s moving at seventy miles an hour down the highway, no matter how difficult the conversation gets. All I’m asking for is a few days, a chance to talk and try and explain and if when we get home you’re still done then I’ll respect that,” she told him, fighting to keep her tears at bay. If he was still done by the time they reached home she didn’t know what she was going to do. Maybe then she would kidnap him, hold him prisoner in the basement.

“It would just be easier to fly Adie,” he told her.

“Taking the easy road isn’t necessarily the right road though Nick.”

 

I don’t mind it, I don’t mind at all

It’s like you’re the swing set and I’m the kid that falls

It’s like the way we fight, the times I cried

We come to blows and every night the passions there

So it’s gotta be right, right?

 

No I don’t believe you

When you say don’t come around here no more

I won’t remind you

You said we wouldn’t be apart

No I don’t believe you

When you say you don’t need me anymore

So don’t pretend to

Not love me at all

 

I don’t mind it, I still don’t mind at all

It's like one of those bad dreams

When you can't wake up

Looks like you given up, you’ve had enough

 But I want more, no I wont stop

Cause I just know you’ll come around right?

 

It s like the way we fight the times I cried

We come to blows, and every night the passions there

So its gotta be right, right?

 

Song Credit: Pink - I Don't Believe You

End Notes:
Will he go or won't he? What do you think? xx By the way thanks for the awesome reviews please please please keep them coming! 
Headlights on Dark Roads by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

 

Adie and Nick start out on their road trip

Adie stared straight ahead at the long boring road, the scenery was the same on both sides of the car, vast open plaines of nothingness and she knew that if she had made this trip alone she probably would have gone insane hours ago. As it was Nick’s snoring was driving her to distraction but the longer he slept the longer she would have to figure out what to say to him and even though they had been on the road for almost four hours, she still had no idea where to start. That was her biggest problem, she knew she had to tell him everything, she knew she had to be completely open and honest but it was a lot of stuff to talk about, what if she started in the wrong place and it all came out wrong? What if the things she was going to tell him made him become defensive and mad? What if the whole trip was just another excuse for an argument?

She looked over at his sleeping form briefly. She knew that he had been tired when she had first laid eyes on him when she had woken up that morning but when they had started the journey and he had remained silent she knew he was more emotionally drained then anything. It hadn’t taken him long to fall asleep, in fact she couldn’t even remember him being awake as she had pulled onto the I-15 North, and that was a whole twenty minutes into their journey. Adie knew that he hadn’t planned on falling asleep because his seat was still completely upright, his head was leant against the window of his door and when he woke she knew he was going to have really bad neck ache but he just looked so peaceful as he slept she didn’t have the heart to wake him to tell him to move, well that and because she wasn’t quite ready to talk.

Her reprieve ended roughly half an hour later when Nick started to stir and when the first sigh escaped his lips, when his hand went to his neck to massage out the ache, she felt the butterflies take over in her stomach. He let out another sigh as he sat up right in the chair, he looked out of the window, at her and then straight ahead and she knew it was because he was slightly confused as to where he was in his half asleep state.

“Hey,” she smiled over at him, “Sleep well?”

“Yeah, apart from the crick in my neck,” He yawned, “How long was I out for?

“About four hours,” She told him, focusing once again on the long, boring road ahead of her.

“Why didn’t you wake me?” He asked, the slight anger in his voice obvious.

“You obviously needed the sleep Nick.”

He didn’t say anything after that and she left him to wake up some more, noticing how he kept rubbing his eyes and yawning, she decided that she wouldn’t speak again until he did. When Nick was sleepy he quickly got angry, she had learnt that the hard way so many times, trying to make conversation with him when he was like that always ended up messy.

“Where are we?” He asked after about ten minutes.

“About two hours from Utah,” she told him, his reaction a slight shock.

“UTAH?” He almost yelled, his head snapping in her direction, “Why are we anywhere near Utah?”

“Because that’s the way the road takes us,” she told him.

“Well what road are we on?” He questioned as he reached down into his foot well to grab the map.

“The I-70.”

“I told you to take the I-40,” He bit back angrily as he opened up the map and began to scan it.

“No you told me to take the I-70,” She told him firmly.

“Why would I tell you that when I wanted to take the I-40?” He huffed as he continued to busy himself with looking at the map.

“I don’t know,” She huffed back, her sarcasm boiling to the surface, “But this is the road you told me to take, do you want me to turn around and start again?”

“No,” he told her as he dropped the map to the floor, “You’ve just added like a hundred miles to our trip already.”

“I’m just taking the route you told me to take.”

As always he had to get the last word in, mumbling, “I didn’t tell you to take this route, I said the I-40.”

She let it go, knowing that if she said something the petty argument would just carry on and be blown out of all proportion, they were both good at turning mole hills into mountains. They were only four hours into their trip and they were already fighting, was it an omen? Was there truly a relationship left to try and save? She almost shook her head at herself, she had to stop thinking like that, thinking negatively would only bring negativity, if they had any chance of making it through they needed all the positive vibes they could get.

He had just woken up, he was tired, that was all it was, once he was a bit more awake, he would be a nicer and so she leant over and turned the radio up slightly to drown out the silence that had grown between them.

“Hey I like that song!” She protested when Nick reached forward and turned the radio off completely.

“I didn’t come here to listen to the radio Adie,” he huffed once again, folding his arms over his chest.

“Why don’t you go back to sleep and wake up in a better mood,” she told him with a sigh.

“The only way I’ll wake up in a better mood is if I wake up three years ago,” he shot back.

Adie hadn’t been expecting that, it was nasty, spiteful even and the Nick she knew would never of said anything like that to her in the past, no matter how angry or tired he was. She had made him like that, she had made him angry and bitter and she thought back to what Angel had told her a long time ago.

“You can show him how great life really is and that you don’t have to repeat the same mistakes our parents did. Please don’t steal that from him, don’t let him turn back into the jerk he was when they were getting divorced, don’t let him close off completely.”

She had done that to him, she was the reason he was angry, she was the reason he was being spiteful, she was the reason he had reverted back to his “old” self. That was why she needed to explain things to him, it was why she couldn’t let him go without a fight, not when she had made him into this unrecognisable person in front of her. She tried to stop the tears from falling and they were not due to his words, they were because of her guilt about what she had done to him but he didn’t realise that.

“I’m sorry, that was harsh,” he apologised.

“Did you mean it?” She asked softly, one hand coming off the wheel to wipe at her eyes.

“No,” he shook his head before sighing, “Yes, I don’t know. I’m tired, I’m tired of fighting with you, I don’t want to feel like this anymore.”

“I want to tell you everything Nick, I really do but everything’s a lot and really don’t know where to start,” She told him honestly.

“Tell me what you thought of me the first time you saw me,” He asked her suddenly.

She eyed him suspiciously for a moment, remembering what she really had thought of him, “You really don’t want to know!”

“I thought we were going to be open and honest with each other?” He asked.

“We are.”

“The beginning’s always a good place to start,” he offered.

Again she eyed him suspiciously for a moment, before conceding, “Okay. I thought you were some stupid, rich, stuck up, pretentious asshole to be honest”

“So why are you with me?” he asked with a small laugh, a sound she wasn’t sure she was ever going to hear again a mere few hours ago. Maybe there was hope.

“Looks and attitude can be deceiving, I found that out pretty quickly,” she told him.

“The little girl?” He asked knowingly and she nodded remembering their very first meeting.

August 2005

Adie could still feel his eyes boring into the back of her but she choose to ignore it, she was too busy to play into his little flirting games. He was probably only looking for a quick lay anyway, not that she wouldn’t be interested, hell he was good looking it was the attitude he needed to work on. She made her way over to the small child in the bed space next to his and drew the curtain round so that he would not be able to see what was happening.

She had already triaged the seven year old and after washing her hands she snapped on some gloves as she took down the dressing that covered the impressive leg wound, it was going to take at least twelve stitches to close it. Adie had already placed numbing solution on the wound after she had cleaned it but the child would still need a local to numb the area completely, she was just about to ask for consent to do that and to explain her next actions when she saw the Mother’s face.

“Mrs Rodgers are you okay?” She asked quickly, taking her gloves off she made her way to the women who had turned quite an impressive shade of green.

“I feel quite faint,” she said quietly.

“Okay,” Adie nodded, “Why don’t you step out to the waiting room for minute and grab some water?”

Adie made sure to grab Chelle as she passed the curtain area and when she knew that Mrs Rodgers was in safe hands she turned back to the little girl, who had large tears welling in her eyes at the departure of her Mother.

“I want my Mom,” she whimpered.

“Sweetie Mommy’s not feeling to well but she’ll be right back but if we get started we could finished by the time she does and I think she promised you something about ice cream didn’t she? The little girl nodded but when Adie made a move to start on her leg, she pulled it away quickly, the first few large tears falling.

“She was supposed to hold my hand. Whose gonna hold my hand?” She cried.

Adie sighed knowing that the department was slammed, there was going to be no one free to hold her hand. She didn’t quite get a chance to try and explain things again though because she heard a voice from the other side of the curtain.

“I have one good hand.”

“You shouldn’t be listening,” Adie called back, her anger rising when the curtain parted slightly and he stuck his head through.

“See one hand and five fingers,” he said showing the little girl. “You want me to hold your hand till your Mom gets back?” Adie was just about to protest when the little girl nodded her head, her crying easing.

She watched as Nick made his way into the curtain area, sitting just beside the little girl on a stool as he took her small hand in his. He looked to Adie his eyes almost begging her not to make him leave, she sighed as she looked away and carried on preparing the tray for suturing the child’s leg, at least he had managed to calm her down.

“My name’s Nick,” he told the girl.

“Mine’s Molly.”

The thought made her heart almost skip a beat, how could she have forgotten such an important detail? Did he even remember? He probably didn’t, after all he had probably met thousands of girls since that day, it wasn’t likely that he had consciously chosen that name because of that day but she still found herself asking.

“Do you remember her name?” She asked softly.

“Who? The little girls?” he asked and she nodded, “Where else do you think that I came up with the name?”

Silence over took the pair once again and it sent Adie’s mind into a spin, she had to pull herself from it otherwise she was just going to end up in a balling mess at the side of the road and that wasn’t what she wanted. She was sick of crying, she was sick of making him feel guilty, of making him be strong so she could fall apart.

“What did you think about me?” She asked, her gaze turning to him quickly before her eyes returned to the road ahead. Nick was quiet for a moment and she was just about to ask again when he spoke up.

“I thought you were so hot when you were mad. I kept watching you as you worked and you just seemed to ooze confidence, you were actually really nice to everybody except me,” He told her.

Her head snapped in his direction quickly, “No I wasn’t.”

He nodded, a small smile playing on his lips, “You were. I could tell you had this pre conceived notion about me, I mean you just admitted it, but I’ve always known you felt that way about me when you first met me. If I’m honest that’s what attracted me about you.”

“Huh?” She asked confused.

“It was going to be difficult to get you into bed with how you felt about me. I know when I say this I’m going right back to that guy, the pretentious, stuck up asshole but all I had to do was walk down to the foyer of a hotel and take my pick, but by that stage I was bored of that and you were my challenge for Nashville. I actually earned five hundred bucks off Alex because he didn’t think that I would be able to do it,” Nick admitted.

“Are you serious?” She asked and he nodded, “I’m not sure how to take that.” “I’m being honest with you. I was like you though, because an hour into our first date I knew I wanted more then just a one night stand.”

“Why?” She asked.

“You weren’t interested about what I did, you didn’t ask me one question about being in the band, about being in the public eye. You just asked questions about me, about the places I’d been about my likes and dislikes and you had your own opinions. You didn’t agree with everything I liked, you called some of the music I said I liked utter shit, you told me you couldn’t stand football, a lot of the girls I had been out with agreed with everything I said and liked. You’ve never been like that. But the thing I loved most about our first date was how you told me where the bleach and toilet brush were so I could clean the toilet after I put you to bed because of all the barfing,” he laughed.

“I did what?” She asked, all the colour draining from her face, “You’re such a liar, I never told you that.”

He nodded, the smile still etched on his face, “Yeah you did. You told me that the bleach was in the cupboard under the sink and to make sure I cleaned it, flushed it and then cleaned again with the bleach.”

“Oh god I did didn’t I?” She realised, the truth dawning on her making her cheeks flush pink.

“Yep and I’ll never forget your face the next morning when you realised that it was me instead of Rachel,” He laughed.

“Don’t remind me please, I have been trying so hard to repress that,” she groaned.

***

Nick eyed the time on the console in front of him, the bright orange numbers more obvious due to the car being dark. 0000 flashed back at him, they had been on the road for nine hours and even though he had managed to get four hours sleep the tiredness was catching up on him once again. He glanced over to the passenger seat of the car and noticed that Adie was still asleep, the seat reclined back and her feet pushed up on the dash in an effort to get comfortable. She looked so snug, her arms hidden underneath his jacket, that she had draped over herself when she had gotten cold and he wanted nothing more then to snuggle up with her and pretend that this was all some bad dream.

They had switched seats about five hours ago after they had stopped for a bite to eat. Conversation before that had come easy but Nick knew it was only due to the fact that they were remembering happier times, it had become much harder when they had made their way back into the car and the topic of his indiscretion and Mark had reared their ugly heads.

He didn’t miss how her smile turned into a frown as he spoke his last words and he questioned Adie about it, “What? What did I say?”

She sighed as she continued to stare out of the window, “If you knew you wanted to be with me forever at that point in our relationship why did you sleep with that girl two nights later?”

“I didn’t sleep with her,” He reminded, not really knowing why, it wasn’t like what he had done was much better.

“Okay, why did you let her give you a blow job?” She asked bluntly.

“I don’t know, I was angry and drunk and really, really stupid. It shouldn’t have happened and I know that. I realised how badly I hurt you and that was why I changed because I knew if I wanted you in my life I couldn’t be that guy anymore, I couldn’t be the guy who partied every night and got so wasted he couldn’t remember his way home, I couldn’t be the guy to just sleep around. I think that’s where things started to fall apart for us,” He voiced aloud.

“What?” She asked.

“You took me back,” he told her.

“You’re not making any sense,” she told him with a frown.

“From that moment on you compared me to Mark and how he treated you. The trust hasn’t been there for a long time on both sides Adie. We’ve both kept huge things from each other, things we should never have kept from each other. The masks have finally fallen and I don’t think either of us knows who the other is anymore,” he said softly.

“So what does that mean for us?” She asked and he didn’t miss how shaky her voice was.

He shrugged not really knowing what he was trying to get at.

“Do you still love me?”

“Yes.”

“That’s not enough for you is it?”

“I don’t know, I don’t know what is enough. I’m still trying to figure it all out.”

They had both drifted off into silence after that and not ten minutes later he had looked over and found her sleeping. Sleep, that was what he so desperately needed, maybe then all the questions and possibilities floating around in his head would be easier to make sense of, after all tomorrow was a brand new day.

He spotted the signs for a motel and exited the highway quickly. He pulled to a stop just outside the main entrance and hopped out of the car, leaving Adie to sleep while he booked a room and grabbed the keys. He wasn’t sure why he opted for a twin room instead of a double room when asked, maybe sleeping in the same bed as her would feel a tad hypocritical when he still wasn’t sure if there was going to be a relationship by the time they got back to Nashville.

He opened her car door and looked at her for a few moments, it was at times like these when she truly resembled the Adie he remembered, but when her eyes were open, it was like she was a completely different person and he let himself watch her for a little while longer.

“Adie?” He almost whispered and so he wasn’t really surprised when she didn’t flinch. “Adie? It’s time to wake up.”

Her eyes fluttered open with that, and she looked at her surroundings slightly confused before she wiped at her eyes. “You want me to drive?” She yawned.

He shook his head as he answered, “No I got us a motel room.”

“Good,” she told him as she leant her head back again and closed her eyes, “Cause I really didn’t want to drive.”

“C’mon,” he said nodding his head towards the rooms as he moved away from the door so she could get out.

He grabbed both of their holdalls out of the trunk before slamming it shut and locking the car with the remote. Adie was pulling her hair into a ponytail when he walked back round to her side of the car, a frown crossing her face when she took in her surroundings and when she looked at the building before her she bit her lip.

“What?” He asked as he followed her gaze, “I know it’s not five star but it’s a room with a bed.”

“I don’t care that it’s not a five star, I’m just concerned about making it out alive,” She mumbled as she followed him towards the door.

“What?” he asked confused.

“It’s like a shack in the middle of nowhere. I’m having visions of us both being tortured and stabbed to death. Like that film, where they watch the video and realise it’s their room.”

Nick burst out laughing at that, “It’s a film Adie, it’s make believe.”

“You won’t be saying that tomorrow when your dead,” she grumbled as she followed him through the door of the motel room once he had opened it.

“If I’m dead I won’t be saying much of anything, I thought you’d know that being a nurse and all.”

She poked her tongue out at him before saying, “Leave me alone I just woke up. Why didn’t you get a double?”

“Uh…they were out,” he lied quickly. He could tell from the look of dejection on her face that she hadn’t bought it though, but she kept quiet about it.

“Okay,” she said as she unzipped her bag and pulled out her toiletries, “I’m going to take a quick shower.”

***

Nick had hoped with all the travelling that sleep would come quickly, it usually did, but he had too much floating around in his head. Their previous conversation about what was going to be enough causing him the most trouble. He didn’t know what was going to be enough, yes he loved her and yes she loved him but there needed to be more then love. It was all about trust and at that moment he knew that he couldn’t trust her, as much as he wanted to he knew he just couldn’t.

He turned over in his sleep and almost fell out of the bed when he forgot it was a single one. He looked over to Adie, not six feet away from him but she could have been a world away, he actually couldn’t remember a time when they had been together but had slept apart like this, well apart from the very first night that he had spent on her couch. Ever since the second date they had pretty much shared a bed and as he looked over to her he finally understood the meaning of so close yet so far.

He grabbed his watch from the nightstand that separated the beds to see how much time he had wasted with questions he could not answer and when he placed the watch back down, making it scratch across the surface he heard her sharp in take of breath.

“What was that?” She asked.

“The murderer standing beside your bed sharpening his knife,” He deadpanned.

“I can’t believe you said that. How guilty would you feel in the morning if you woke up to find me dead?” She asked indignantly.

“Why would a murderer kill you and leave me alive?” he asked.

“I don’t know maybe he’s anti feminist, maybe it’s one of your gay fans who wants to get rid of me so he can have you all to himself.”

“Seriously Babe, you need to lay off the crazy juice.”

They fell back into silence once again but a few seconds later he heard ask the same question, “What was that?”

He sighed, “What was what?”

“That.” He listened but couldn’t hear anything.

“It’s the clogs of your over active imagination working double time. Go to sleep or I might have to kill you,” he told her as he turned over in bed again.

He closed his eyes and was just drifting off when he heard her sharp in take of breath again and he quickly threw back the covers and walked over to her bed.

“What are you doing?” She asked as she sat up in the darkness.

“Move over,” he told her as he pulled back the covers of her bed.

“What?” She asked.

“Move over,” he told her again as he climbed into the bed beside her. She let him get comfortable before laying beside him in the single bed, her head slowly edging its way onto his shoulder as his arm wrapped around her waist.

“There I’ll protect you from the murderers.”

“I’ll hang my feet off the edge of the bed so the gremlins get my toes and not yours,” she giggled.

“Oh shut up,” he grumbled as he closed his eyes. She wrapped her arm around him as she nestled her head into his shoulder,

“I won’t let anybody hurt you.”

Nobody could hurt me like you have anyway, Nick thought to himself.

 

So empty can’t feel no more

As I’m left with my tears on the floor I wait for my heart to mend

But you keep tearing a hole

 

Inside I’m so lost

In the middle of my heart

Is a battlefield of love

I’ve been fighting for to long

 

And now I’m shattered

From the chip in my heart, kept taking it till it broke

Oh how it hurt

But it slipped from your hand, hit the ground and now it’s shattered

Oh so shattered

Can’t believe it was me, I’m so shattered

So shattered

 

Can’t believe you and me 

What am I still here for

Could it be that I’m just waiting

Hoping you’d rescue me And put the pieces together again

 You took my emotions

And scattered them on the ground

So hard to just pick up

And move on with my life

 

Song Credits: Backstreet Boys - Shattered

End Notes:
Please review!
All We Can Do Is Keep Breathing by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:
Thanks for being so patient! Things have been really hectic lately with moving and work! You guys only have this chapter because I had to wait for a delivery from Ikea today! But here it is!

Nick could feel hands trailing over his chest, the soft kisses dipping to his neck from where they had been on his cheek and he sighed in anticipation. Her skin felt so soft against his, so warm and when he was a bit more awake he let his hands trail her body, his hands finally resting on her hips so he could settle her on top of him. He opened his eyes and smiled up at her, her long hair cascading forward and tickling his face as she leant in to kiss him.

It felt so good to have her back in his arms again, rather then waking up in a cold sweat from a dream he had had to find the bed empty and he gently let his hands trail under the t-shirt she was wearing to caress the skin on her back.

She was first to break the kiss and when she smiled down at him again she said, “Morning.” He didn’t say anything back, just placed one of his hands to the back of her head as he pulled her to his mouth again, his tongue finding hers quickly. He moved his hips up against hers and groaned at the friction it caused but it was when her hands traced the top of his boxers that he realised what he was doing, and he realised if he continued it would be a huge mistake.

He pulled away from the kiss quickly, his hand coming to rest on top of hers as he told her to “Stop.”

“What?” she asked, throwing him a sexy smirk as she sat up slightly, her other hand stroking him through the fabric of his boxers.

 “I can’t,” he told her as he shook his head and also sat up slightly.

“You feel like you can,” she told him huskily as she smirked.

He shook his head again, his hands grabbing hers as he told her, “I can’t do this.”

Adie stared at him for a short moment before climbing off of him with a small sigh, her hand running through her messy hair to try and tame it.

Nick rested back against the headboard of the bed, before he told her, “I can’t be with you like that until we know what we want.”

“I know what I want, I know I want to be with you, it’s you whose unsure. I love you, I was trying to show you that, I was trying to make up for the other night,” she told him softly.

“We can’t use sex to solve our problems,” he said shaking his head at her.

“I wasn’t trying to do that. I just wanted to feel close to you again,” She admitted her gaze dropping to her hands with her words.

Nick shook his head again as he told Adie, “Well I can’t do that, I can’t be…it would be like pretending everything is okay for a while and its not.”

“Yeah I know that but I don’t know what you want from me,” she said her eyes lifting so she could look at his.

“I want my Adie back, I want to go back three years to when we were happy,” he told her softly.

“Back to when we had our game faces on? Back to when we were repressing everything? You really want that?” She asked with a frown. “I’m not the Adie you met three years ago but you’re not the same guy I met three years ago either. I still love you though, but this is me now, this complete mess in front of you well she’s the real me and I need to know whether you can love her as much as you loved the Adie you fell in love with three years ago because if you can’t then what the hell are we doing?”

“It’s never been about not loving you Adie, if I didn’t love you then I wouldn’t be here, if I didn’t love you then I wouldn’t be feeling the way that I am,” his voice almost dropping to a whisper, his eyes focusing on the door to the bathroom rather then hers.

“How do you feel?” She asked.

“I’ve told you how I feel,” He mumbled.

“No you haven’t, you’ve told me how you felt, past tense, you’ve told me how you felt when I left you haven’t told me how you feel now. So right now, how do you feel right now? What’s going through your head?” She asked.

He was quiet for a few moments, he wasn’t sure how he could put into words how he was feeling, he had so many different emotions coursing through his body that just trying to pin point one to describe to her was giving him a headache. He just felt so tired when he thought about any of it and that was exactly what he told her.

“I’m tired. I feel completely drained and I’m still no closer to knowing what I want, I still don’t know whether I want to be with you and it’s tearing me apart. It’s tearing everything part.”

“It was torn apart a long time ago.”

“So can we even fix it? If we’re that broken is there anything left to salvage?” He asked wanting desperately to know her view on it, then again if she didn’t think they could fix things she wouldn’t have convinced him to come on the road trip.

“You know my Dad had this saying when Rachel and I were growing up. If at first you don’t succeed then try, try again,“ she told him and he almost flinched when he felt her hand find its way into his. “I want to keep trying until we get this right and considering the law of averages we should be able to do that and one time is all we need, ,this is our time to fix things.”

“You really believe that?” He asked his eyes meeting hers.

“I have to believe it. I have to believe because being with you but not being with you is tearing me apart,” He saw the tears start to well up in her eyes and heard her voice crack slightly, but she managed to keep it together so she could continue. “You know I woke up this morning with your arms wrapped around me and for a minute I forgot about all the bad stuff, for a minute I felt like I did when we were first together, I felt safe and loved and excited about all the possibilities that were in front of us. I want to be with you, I want to be with you sixty years down the line when neither of us can remember what day it is, or that the remote control doesn’t live in the refrigerator.”

That made him laugh out loud.

“The only question here is whether you still want that too? Did you ever want it?” She asked and the smile faded from his face as a soft sigh escaped his lips.

“I tried to convince myself I didn’t. The way things were with my family…I promised myself I would never let it happen again and I knew the only way I could do that was to not get married, to not have a family, to not get into a serious relationship with someone,” He admitted.

“So what changed?” She asked as her head titled to the left slightly.

“Everybody around me started growing up, getting married and having kids and they were happy, they weren’t like my family was. I don’t want to be lonely Adie, I’ve been surrounded by these guys ever since I was twelve years old, they’re my brothers and I know they will always be there when the fame fades but they’ve got families of their own now, its not like it was when we first started out. I looked at how happy Kevin and Brian are and how happy Howie is and I realised I wanted that, I thought Paris was that for me, I thought she understood and that it would be easier because she was always in the spotlight but that was a huge mistake. Then I met you. I used to gag and roll my eyes when the rest of the fellas would say that “they knew” as soon as they saw their wives, I didn’t believe it but then I met you and I knew. I knew we were supposed to be together, I couldn’t put my finger on what it was exactly and I still can’t but it’s there, its always been there,” He told her sincerely.

“Then why are you pulling away from me?” She asked.

“I look at us, at how we are now, it’s not supposed to be this way,” he told her with a shake of his head, his eyes focusing on the world just outside the window.

“No relationship can be happy and problem free forever,” Adie reminded.

His eyes snapped back to hers, “I know that, trust me I know that but I just…why did this have to happen? We were working through things, we were going to have a baby, we were going to be a family, I was excited and I was happy. I don’t know what I’ve done to deserve having it all ripped away. I don’t think we’re bad people, compared to a lot of others out there.”

Adie frowned at his choice of words before replying, “I don’t think its about that Nick. Bad things happen to good people, I see it all the time. Sometimes things just happen for no good reason and we have to get through them, no matter how hard they are. But we can get through it, if we both want to we can make it through this.” She grabbed his hand in hers as she continued, “We just have to be open with each other, we have to be really honest and not hold anything back, no matter how much it might hurt the other person to hear it. You might make me cry but I’ll get over it Nick, but if you don’t tell me the things you keep holding inside, the things I’ve done or do that really piss you off, that really hurt you then that resentment is going to fester and it’s going to get so big that it’s going to eat our relationship and there really will be nothing left to salvage.”

“That’s exactly what my Mom said.”

“Your Mom?” Adie asked, unable to hide her shock at his admission.

“Yeah,” he nodded, “I went to see her.”

“When?” “After you left for Nepal I had to get away too so I went to Florida. The whole time I was there I just kept thinking about how I would give anything to have Molly with me, to watch her grow up and it made me wonder how my Mom felt. I can’t have what I want with Molly and I know how badly that hurts but I’m still here and so is my Mom. No matter what happened in the past she’s still my Mom,” he mumbled his eyes focusing on the comforter beneath them.

“Have you seen her since?” She asked.

He shook his head, “No, but I’ve spoken to her on the phone a few times.”

“That’s really good. It’s good that you’re working on that,” she told him and even though Nick was still not looking at her he could hear the smile in her words.

They were both silent for a while but Nick knew he had to be honest with Adie, he knew she was right, that his Mom was right. He had to get it all out because if he didn’t it was just going to eat away at him, the resentment would find it’s way out in small bursts and it would just make them fall apart slowly. If he got it all out now at least he would know if she would be able to deal with it, at least things wouldn’t be dragged out.

“I hate that I find it so hard to show my emotion in front you, I hate that you’ve taken all my trust and thrown it away, I hate that I love you as much as I do,” he admitted.

“Do you regret meeting me?” She asked shakily, her hand remaining wrapped around his.

Again he answered truthfully, “I don’t know. We had eighteen good months, followed by eighteen months that have sucked beyond fucking belief.”

“So if we follow that pattern it means we’ve got eighteen months of good times in front of us,” she said brightly but he soon took the smile off her face.

“Yeah followed by another eighteen crap months, I can’t do that again, there’s no way I ever want to feel like this again. I look at you…you make me feel so angry Adie,” he told her bitterly and that was why he was so shocked at her answer.

“But you have every right to be angry with me Nick. I’ve been completely selfish and I didn’t realise for a long time, my Dad had to comfort me a day after he had his heart attack. That’s not right Nick, I should have been there supporting him through that, I should have supported you through loosing Molly but I didn’t and trust me I will regret that for the rest of my life.”

He shook his head, “I’m not angry at you for that…No I am angry at you for that but I let you get away with it so I’m angry at myself too. I’m angry I can’t be completely venerable in front of you, I hate that the only way I can show emotion, that the only way I can communicate how I feel is through being aggressive. I hate the guy I become when that happens, I close my eyes and I can see your face when I punched the door. You were completely petrified off me weren’t you?”

She looked at him for a few moments and nodded her head in agreement. He tore his eyes away from hers because he hated the look in her eyes, he hated being the person that made her scared, he was supposed to be the person she felt safe with.

“I don’t want you to be scared of me Adie,” He whispered.

“I’m not scared of you,” she told him as she squeezed his hand, “I know you would never hurt me like that.”

He shook his head in disagreement, “You don’t know how close I came that day Adie. I think back to it and I hate myself for it, an inch and my hand wouldn’t be the only thing that’s bruised.”

“But you didn’t do it, you hit the door not me,” she reasoned.

“What’s to say it won’t be you the next time I get like that?” He questioned.

“Because of the way you’re talking about it now, because of the look in your eyes now, because of the remorse you feel about the other day. I know you would never hurt me in that way,” she told him firmly but he still didn’t believe her, he still had the doubt in his mind and it just wouldn’t budge.

He hated that guy, he hated that part of himself, the aggression wasn’t about power it was about protecting himself, if he lashed out people usually backed off. That was how it had all started, he would be upset over something but instead of speaking to someone about it, instead of crying and letting the emotion out that way, instead of taking someone’s help when they offered it the voice in the back of his head would tell him to “Suck it up.”

That voice belonged to his Father.

September 1988

Nick sighed in relief when he rounded the corner to the street on where his house was situated, Tommy and his cronies never followed him down his own street, it was too much of a risk that they would get caught. Yet Nick still kept up his fast pace, eager to get inside the house where he knew he would be safe, where he would finally be happy for the rest of the day. That was until he noticed that his Mother’s car was not there, that only meant one thing, his Dad was home and when Nick swung his back pack off his shoulder, the large slash through it appearing in his eye line, he knew his father was not going to be best pleased.

He had only been back at school for a week and his backpack was already ruined, Tommy’s right hand guy, slashing it with the pocket knife he had stolen from his older brother, whilst Nick had watched on, to scared to try and grab the bag back. If his Mom had been home, she would have told him not to worry, it would have been fixed within an hour or she would have gone to the store and bought him a replacement, reassuring him that when he was some big super star, Tommy would be begging to be his friend.

At the time he didn’t realise how true that comment would become.

Nick’s hopes of sneaking up the stairs to stash the bag were blown when his Father was in the hallway replacing a light bulb. Nick smiled his hello at his Dad as he tried to rush past him but his behaviour was obviously conspicuous and Bob quickly noticed the ripped bag.

“What happened?” He questioned.

Nick shrugged, “I guess I snagged it on something.”

“That’s not been snagged, it’s been sliced. It was those boys wasn’t it?”

Nick nodded solemnly, the tears starting to well up in his eyes.

Bob sighed loudly and with a shake of his head told Nick, “Don’t you dare cry. You’re almost nine years old, act like a man.”

“But they always pick on me,” Nick mumbled, fighting hard to stop the tears from falling.

“Well then you fight back,” Bob told him.

“But they’re bigger then I am.”

“You suck it up and you fight back.”

Nick had never forgotten that day, he had never forgotten the look of disappointment in his Father’s eyes and he remembered the very next day at school, he remembered taking his Father’s advice, he remembered sucking up the fear, sucking up the emotion and he remembered how much his hand had hurt when it had connected with Tommy’s nose.

 He also remembered how good it had felt, and how after that Tommy had never gone near him again. That was what his aggression was about, it wasn’t about controlling people, it was about pushing them away when the got too close and that was why he was so scared about hurting Adie, because she was the only girlfriend who had ever got this close to him.

He could feel the tears in his eyes again and he knew he had to get away from her and so he stood abruptly, took his hand out of her and announced, “I’m going to take a shower.”

He only made it two steps before he heard Adie’s voice, the strong tinge of disappointment evident, “You’re doing it again Nick.”

“Doing what?” He questioned even though it was quite clear what she meant, that was another defence mechanism of his.

“Pulling away from me. I can see the tears in your eyes, all you have to do is let them out, I’m not going to think your weak just because of a few tears.”

He was glad that he had kept his back to her because the first of his tears fell silently as he made his excuse, “We have to check out in an hour, we’ve still got a long drive ahead of us.”

“This is the trait I hate about you.”

“What?” He asked as he stepped into the bathroom, but again he didn’t turn to face her.

“You get so close and then you walk away or change the subject. We both know you are only going in that bathroom because the sound of the water running in enough to drown out the sounds of your tears, it’s the perfect place to fool yourself because you know it’s not the tears making your face wet, it’s just the water from the spray.”

“I just want to get back on the road Adie, if we leave within an hour we might even make it back home by tonight,” He replied as he walked further into the bathroom and shut the door, the tears falling silently down his face.

He was just as guilty as she was, he hid from everything, he didn’t know how to deal with the emotions that were wracking through his body, through his mind and all he wanted to do was punch the crap out of something and that wasn’t right. It wouldn’t solve anything, not in the long term anyway, to truly get over his emotions he needed to talk through them, but it meant unleashing things he had repressed for years, it meant going against everything he had been taught. Men don’t cry, men are strong, well he was sick of that but he was also sick of everyone being disappointed in him, he was sick of being disappointed in himself.

He jumped when he heard the light knock on the bathroom door and he quickly wiped his face, knowing that if she decided to walk in she would instantly knew he had been crying. He shook his head at himself, who was he trying to kid? She already knew that was what he was doing anyway, she had called him out on it not five minutes earlier.

“I’m going to the diner to get a coffee, you want one?” She asked softly.

“No, I’m good,” he replied somewhat shakily.

“You sure?” She asked and he knew it was a question with a double meaning.

“Yeah,” he lied. He heard her move around the room on the other side of the door, heard the door creak open and then bang shut and when after a few seconds there was silence he turned on the shower and he did exactly what she said he would do, he used to sound of the water to drown out the sound of his crying.

***

Adie glanced down at her watch, she had left the motel room at eight, the face of the watch was telling her it was eight thirty, half an hour should have been enough time for him to cry, to get his emotions under control because she knew that was what he was doing. She hated it but she knew she needed to give him that space, this once anyway, she couldn’t expect him to let his guard down completely within a matter of hours but she was going to continue to remind him about it and if he thought he was going to be able to play the same card again tomorrow, he was going to be sorely mistaken.

Adie downed the last few dregs of the bitter coffee before smiling to the waitress and hopping off the bar stool. She made her way out of the dinner and walked the few hundred yards to the room they had stayed in the night before. She had expected Nick to be waiting for her on the other side of the door, so when he wasn’t sat on the bed, when the bathroom door remained closed, she was a little surprised. She edged her way towards the bathroom, trying to make out of he was just finishing up, maybe he was just brushing his teeth? The water was still definitely running and it wasn’t from a faucet, it was too loud and too powerful, it could only be coming from a shower head, yet that was the only sound she could hear. She was just about to walk away, figuring he hadn’t quite finished when she heard a sound that broke her heart.

It had been a choked sob and Adie had bit her bottom lip to stop her own tears from falling because it sounded as if his whole world had fallen apart. She stared at the door for thirty seconds contemplating on letting him have the privacy he had so desperately wanted earlier, but when she heard the sound again she knew she couldn’t leave him to cry on his own.

“Nick?” She asked softly as she pushed the door open, frowning when she felt some resistance but when she looked to see what it was she felt her heart break for him even more. She could make out his leg but the gap was to small to get the rest of her body through, he had obviously sat himself against the bath, his long legs stretching out before him, what was more unexpected was how erratic his breathing was.

She pushed on the door a bit harder, it caused him to move his leg slightly and it was just enough to enable her to squeeze through the small gap in the door. Adie looked down to him, his eyes were so puffy from all the tears they were practically swollen shut, his face was pale, he looked clammy and every so often a sob would escape his mouth. She leant down so she was in his line of sight, his name rolling off her tongue and when he finally looked at her she could see the panic in his eyes. He gasped for more air and she noticed the grip he had on a towel tightening making his knuckles turn even whiter.

“C..can’t..b…b…bre….brea…breath,” He managed to gasp out.

She nodded her head, “I know baby, I know.” She sat down next to him, taking her hand in his as she scanned the room for a paper bag but she came up short and she knew there wouldn’t be one in the other room, the dinner would definitely have one but it meant leaving him which would only escalate things. She felt him grip her hand and turned her head quickly back to his.

“Ch…est…tig…tight.”

“Do you feel like you’ve got pins and needles in your hands?” She asked and he nodded, confirming what she already knew. “You’re having an anxiety attack. You need to calm down and take a few deep breaths for me okay?”

He shook his head, “Ca..ca..can’t.”

“Yes you can, you just have to try, deep breath in through your nose,” Adie demonstrated, “and then let it out slowly.” He tried a few times before giving up, his hand squeezing hers so tightly it made her wince in pain.

“Nick,” she tried to get his attention but he had closed his eyes, “Nicky don’t close your eyes, you can do this, come on deep breath in and release it slowly.”

“Ca..can’t” He chocked out. “Hos…hos…pit.”

“Hospital is not going to help, there’s not a pill for this, no medicine that’s going to make you stop. You just need to get your breathing under control,” she told him firmly as she managed to squeeze herself behind him so that her back was against the bath tub, his back resting against her. She tried to pull her hand from his but he kept a firm grip and so she bought both of them up to his chest and held them there. “In,” she said as she pushed slightly on his chest to mimic the action of taking a big breath in, “out,” she told him releasing the pressure of their hands.

It took nearly ten minutes but eventually his breathing pattern matched hers. Adie kept reminding him for a further five minutes that he needed to “breath in,” and, “now release it slowly, and again, in and back out again.”

The room was then plunged into quietness, save for the water hitting the surface of the bath from the shower that continued to run and Adie blew out of her mouth to try and cool herself down from the warmth that was spreading rapidly throughout her body. Her legs were kind of going dead, her back was aching and her hands hurt like hell from the death grip Nick still had on them and although she wanted to move, she didn’t. She just sat and held him.

She placed a small kiss to the side of his head before she whispered, “Are you okay?” He shook his head no and his body silently shook for a few seconds before any sound escaped but when it did it tore through Adie’s heart, it made her want to cry with him, for him but it wasn’t her turn.

It was her turn to be strong for him.

She tightened her grip around him, kissed his head again and again, and just told him, “Everything is going to be okay. I promise it’s going to be okay.”

 

A Storm is coming

But I don’t mind

People are dying

I close my blinds

All that I know is I’m breathing

 

I want to change the world

Instead I sleep I want to believe in more

Then you and me

All that I know is I’m breathing

All I can do is keep breathing

All we can do is keep breathing

Now

Now

Now

 

All that I know is I’m breathing

All I can do is keep breathing

All we can do is keep breathing

All we can do is keep breathing

Song Credits: Ingrid Michelson - Keep Breathing

 

 

End Notes:
please let me know what you think!
Hold On by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:
Thanks for being so patient everyone. I'm afraid updates are going to be like this for a while as I have started writing my 10,000 word dissertation! So far I have 10,000 words to go! LOL! Hope you enjoy this chapter and please let me know what you think!

The road was straight, long, showed no signs of ever ending, and with Nick’s rhythmic snoring, Adie found herself extremely bored. It didn’t help that her IPOD connecter had, for some unknown reason, died on her and now she was at the mercy of whatever the DJ at the radio station decided to play. When he announced some cheesy song about love and heartache, she moaned out loud, before reaching forward and turning the radio completely off. She took a deep breath in and let it out slowly, the silence welcoming, until Nick’s snoring seemed to increase. She rolled her eyes as she looked over to him.

His head was resting against the door window, every time they would go over a bump or hit a small pot hole in the road, it would bang against it and Adie wondered how he remained asleep. His mouth was hanging open, soft snores escaping his mouth, and she knew that there would be a small trail of dribble, working its way down the other side of his face. That wasn’t what she focused on though, because even in sleep he looked completely drained, his eyes remained puffy from earlier that morning, and large bags hung underneath them. All Adie wanted to do was wrap her arms around him again, tell him again that everything was going to be okay but she resisted and carried on driving, her mind wandering back to what had happened not only four hours before.

It had been twenty minutes since Nick’s breathing had returned to a somewhat regular pattern and his tears had slowed down to the occasional hiccup but the pair had remained sat in their original position, against the bath tub. It was only when the cramp started to become to much to bare that Adie spoke.

“Sweetie, I’m gona have to move, my butt is numb and my legs are headed that way to,” she told him softly before placing a small kiss to the side of his head. If it wasn’t for his movement Adie wouldn’t have been sure that he had even heard her, but he pushed himself up from the floor, wiped at his eyes and then held his hand out to help her up.

“Just give me ten minutes and I’ll be ready to go,” He mumbled.

“We’re not going anywhere,” Adie told him, wincing as she began to walk.

“We need to get home,” He mumbled as he threw some cold water on his face from the sink. She reached behind the shower curtain and switched off the still running water before she answered him.

“Why? Why do we need to get home? We don’t have any plans, its not like we have to get back for work, so what’s an extra day?” Nick didn’t say anything to her as he placed some tooth paste on his tooth brush. “Do what you have to do in here and I’ll be in the other room okay?” She said as she walked out of the door and closed it softly behind her.

She looked around the room and began to pack away some of their things, sighing in frustration when she picked up Nick’s back pack not realising it had been undone, causing most of the things that were in it to cascade out around her feet. Adie knelt down and picked up the items that had fallen out, the curiosity getting the better of her when she saw a small zip lock bag sticking out of the top of the book that he was reading. She pulled at the small part that was sticking out and ended up bringing something else with it and as soon as she realised what it was she closed her eyes and let out her breath slowly, the only way she knew she would be able to contain her tears. When she opened her eyes and looked down at the photo she let out another breath she didn’t realise she had been holding.

Molly had been so tiny, yet she didn’t resemble that of a normal looking preemie, but Adie wasn’t sure whether it was just because Molly was hers that made her feel that way. Preemies that young always freaked Adie out, a lot of them resembled what she thought Aliens would look like, their elongated heads dwarfing their tiny bodies and from her first day as a student Adie had made her mind up that she would never be a neonatal nurse. She continued to stare at the picture for a few more moments and when she closed her eyes it was almost as if she was back in that cold sterile room, the silence wrapping around her like icy fingers. The handle of the door to the bathroom creaking pulled her from her thoughts quickly and she stuffed the picture back into the book along with the lock of hair in the small bag, before she got up off the floor.

Nick made his way out of the bathroom and placed his toiletry bag into the large holdall that was on one of the beds. He zipped up the holdall and placed it by the door of the room. He didn’t even turn to face her when he asked, “Are you ready?”

“No,” she told him.

“I’ll wait in the car for you,” he said back as he picked up the bag he had just dropped to the floor before reaching for the handle of the door.

“I told you in the bathroom, we have nothing to get back for, so what’s the rush?”

“I’ll wait in the car for you,” he repeated as he walked through the door.

Adie watched him leave, she watched as he threw the bag into the trunk of the car, watched as he sat in the drivers seat, his expression never changing. Not that she could see his eyes, the large shades doing an excellent job at hiding them. She took a seat on the bed and folded her arms across her chest, she didn’t want to leave, she wanted to sit with him, to talk out what had just happened because anxiety attacks didn’t just come on for no good reason. She was going to stand her ground and they were going to talk about it, and she wasn’t going to leave until they had. The honking of the car horn made her jump slightly, yet it wasn’t enough to make her move and she was tempted to not answer her cell phone when it began to chime but after the forth ring she did.

“Are you coming?” He asked gruffly.

“Why are you in such a hurry to leave?” She asked as she made her way towards the door so she could look out at him.

“Because I want to get home,” he answered monotonically.

“Why?” She questioned as she leant against the door frame staring out at him but he remained where he was, sat face forward in the drivers seat of the rented car.

“Because,” he bit back angrily.

“That’s a great argument,” Adie replied sarcastically.

“Are you coming or not?” He asked still facing forward in the car.

“No,” she said defiantly the frustration inside of her building when he hung up and started the engine of the car. She quickly made her way outside and over to the car just as he was preparing to pull away and opened the drivers door.

“Shut the door,” he told her firmly, not even turning his face to look at her.

“So what are you just going to leave me here? You’re just going to abandon me?” She asked, knowing instantly what his reply was going to be.

“Just giving you a taste of your own medicine.”

“Can you please just come back inside so we can sit and talk?” She asked softly.

“I’m through with talking.”

“You’re through with talking or you’re through with finally letting me in?” She asked, not missing how his jaw seemed to clench at her words. She knew that was what it was really about, part of the wall he had built up had fallen, even if it was only for a second, and Nick had finally shown her a part of himself that he had tried so hard to keep secret. Now he was regrouping, by not talking, by not looking at her he was rebuilding those walls again but this time he wouldn’t succeed, Adie was going to make sure that he didn’t. Yet she was going to have to tread very carefully, because one wrong move could make him shut off completely and that was why she conceded to his wishes of leaving, after all how could she prevent him from rebuilding his walls if he left her at the motel?

“Can you give me five minutes to get my stuff?” She asked.

***

Nick had hoped that he could fane sleep most of the way, at least until it was his turn to drive, because if luck was on his side then she would be so tired from all the driving that she would fall asleep and then he could avoid conversation again. He wasn’t sure why he had waited for her, he wasn’t even sure why he had agreed to the whole road trip because back in Vegas he had been so sure that the relationship was over. If someone could make you so angry that all you wanted to do was punch them, was it right to stay with them? If unhappiness was all you could really remember with that person, if grief was the only common emotion that you both shared was it worth all the heartache in staying with them? That was what he was trying to figure out, because not being with Adie was heartache in its self and he was so sick of feeling like he would never be happy again.

“I know you’re awake,” he heard Adie’s voice softly say, breaking him from his thoughts.

“No I’m not,” he sighed as he kept his eyes closed.

“You’re not snoring anymore and you just answered me Nick so I know you’re awake.”

“I don’t snore,” he told her firmly, crossing his arms over his chest, he moved his head, wincing when it began to ache. God he was getting old, there had been a time when he was able to sleep anywhere, that was the part they didn’t teach you at fame school, it wasn’t always plush hotels, more often then not you grabbed sleep where and when you could get it, even if it meant sleeping on the floor backstage.

“Uh yeah you do, loud enough for the whole of Kansas to hear you and we’re still a few hours away yet,” she told him.

“At least I don’t scare people half to death by screaming at the top of my lungs for no good reason when I’m asleep,” he threw back and even though he still had his eyes shut, he knew she would be smiling at the memory.

“That was like one time,” she reminded, “Are you okay?” He misread her question, figured she was asking because he had taken to incessantly massaging the his neck to try and relieve some of the ache from it.

“Just a crick in my neck from where I’ve been laying funny.”

“I wasn’t talking about your neck,” she told him. He dropped his hand to his side and stared out from the window in front of him, not being able to see that much because the sky was dark and the rain had begun to pound on the glass.

“I’m fine.”

“Liar.”

“I’m fine,” he insisted again.

“You smell that?” She asked taking a long sniff from the air, making Nick copy her, frowning when he smelt nothing.

“Smell what?”

“Smoke?” She asked but before he could answer she sarcastically added, “Oh sorry it’s because somebody’s pants are on fire!”

He would have laughed if he remembered how to but all he did was roll his eyes at her comment and continue to stare out of the window in front of him, no sound resonating from his lips. He hated feeling the way he was, he hated not knowing if things were ever going to get better, yet he couldn’t believe that they would, he couldn’t believe in the good old light at the end of the tunnel because the way his life had been, he was still in that tunnel, the only lights he had ever seen from passing trains, quick glimpses of what happiness could be like.

Adie snapped him from his thoughts again, “You look stupid with your sunglasses on.”

“What?” He asked.

“It’s pouring with rain Nick, the sky is practically black and you’re wearing sunglasses,” she pointed out.

“So?”

“I’m just saying you look stupid,” She grumbled, her eyes fixed on the road ahead of them.

“Yeah well, your voice is hurting my ears,” he bit back, hoping she would take the hint and for a few minutes she was silent. It didn’t last long.

“Do you really think that by saying that you’re going to get me to stop talking?” She almost laughed. “You know now that you’ve said it I’m just going to keep rambling right? I’ve been sat in silence for the past five hours while you’ve been asleep only you were only really asleep for the past four and half. I don’t know why you tried to pretend, you stopped snoring, it’s a dead giveaway that you’re awake and I can’t believe you still have those stupid sunglasses on. Wearing sunglasses when it’s dark or in the house doesn’t make you cool, I know Alex does it but I’ve told him he looks like a tool when he does and he has nice eyes, he shouldn’t hide them, just like you have nice eyes.”

“Have you taken something or smoked something while I was asleep?” He asked when she finally came up for air.

“Five hours is a long time for someone to be quiet Nick, and if you don’t want to talk to me that’s fine but I’m going to keep talking because I can’t handle anymore silence.”

“Then put the radio on,” he told her as he pointed to the middle console.

“It’s busted, can’t pick up anything in the storm and my IPOD’s screwed,” Adie told him.

“Wonderful,” he added sarcastically.

“You look really stupid with those sunglasses on,” she repeated again and so he quickly yanked them from his face and threw them lightly at her, the black pair of ray bands landing in her lap. Her face snapped to his but he kept his eyes forward, “Did you just throw them at me?”

“They’re off aren’t that? That’s what you wanted.”

“I want you to talk to me too, are you going to do that now?” She asked cockily.

 Nick turned his head to look out of the passenger side window and rolled his eyes at her childish games. He wasn’t in the mood for talking, he wasn’t in the mood for anything and he just hoped that she realised that sooner rather then later.

“Oh so now you’re going to give me the silent treatment?,” She asked.

He didn’t move an inch.

“Really don’t think it a bit immature?”

No what’s immature is this stupid game to try and get me to talk, Nick thought to himself.

“The Tampa Bucs suck,” she said leaving a short gap so he could retaliate. “What no reaction? Okay, no matter how much you say you’re a vocal harmony group you really are just a boy band.”

Nick was not going to let himself be drawn in to her petty little game, in the past he would have been, in the past he would have either fought back or cracked a smile at the ridiculous comment she would have made about him or his career but he was so drained it was just easier to keep quiet.

“Wow you really are giving me the silent treatment. You suck in bed, I always fake my orgasms with you.”

She laughed so much at that comment that he knew it was a complete fabrication yet he couldn’t laugh with her, he couldn’t tell her that he knew it was untrue, in the past he would have made her pull over and would have proven to her that the comment was a fabrication. Her voice broke the silence yet again, yet this time it wasn’t happy, it wasn’t full of playful comments, this time it was low and sad.

“This is how I know you’re not okay Nick, you’re not arguing with me, you’re not laughing at me, you won’t even look at me.”

He felt the car slow and pull over and when the noise of the engine stopped he asked “What are you doing?”

“Look at me,” was all Adie said.

He sighed deeply, throwing his hands up in exasperation “Can you just stop with all of this.”

“No, not until you look at me.”

He defiantly turned his head in the complete opposite direction and although he heard her unclip the seatbelt that had been restraining her, he wasn’t quick enough to dodge her hands when the wrapped around his cheeks, moving his face so he was looking at her.

“Look at me,” she told him again and when he focused on her concerned chocolate eyes he felt the emotion he had been trying to repress start to bubble to the surface again, “Baby why won’t you let me in?”

He had been so close to breaking down again, Adie could see it in his eyes but at the very last second he had he had managed to shut off from her and Adie had never seen him move so fast but before she knew it he was already ten passes away from the car. She sighed heavily as she threw her own door open, the cold rain hitting her skin causing the goose bumps to appear quickly.

“Nick!” She called as a clap of thunder rang out in the distance, “NICK!”

He carried on walking as he yelled back, “LEAVE ME ALONE!”

“What are you going to do? Walk home?” She called after him.

“If I want to then yeah, what the hell does it matter to you?”

“Then I’m going to walk to,” she told him firmly when she finally caught up to him and walked by his side.

“Just get back in the car Adie,” he spat with a sideways glance down to her.

Adie managed to make her way in front of him but he was so determined to keep on moving that she had to walk backwards for a few paces, the rain hitting her face so hard that it had begun to sting and she knew she wasn’t the only one who was cold because he was practically shivering in front of her. That was why she knew she had to get him back in the car, before they both caught pneumonia, and so she placed her hands firmly on his chest and made him stop in his tracks.

“No, No I won’t get back in the car, I told you in Vegas, this is my time to fight for us, it’s my turn. So if fighting for us means walking home then I’ll do it, if it means catching pneumonia from walking in this freezing rain then so be it, if get struck by lightning because I am walking in the middle of a freaking storm to fight for us who cares? Because I am not giving up on us, not again.” She almost shrieked as she shook her head. “Aaron told me that someone once told him if you want something, if you truly believe in something then it’s worth fighting for and I think the guy who told him that was pretty smart. So I am not going to give up and no matter how long it takes, no matter how much it hurts I will break down every single wall you have built, even if I have to do it brick by brick. When it happens, I’m going to be there for you and when it happens I am not going to judge you because anything you’ve done or had done to you has made you into the Nick that I love. Now I am going to get back in that car because it’s fucking freezing out here and we both know that you’re not going to walk home so when you’re ready that where I’ll be.”

She did exactly what she said and jogged quickly back to the car to try and get warm again. She held her hands over the heater as she watched him. He stood almost stock still for five minutes but eventually he must have realised that walking home was actually not that feasible, not in the pouring rain that showed no sign of let up anyway, and he made his way back into the car. His hair was dripping wet as was pretty much the rest of his body, but that wasn’t the most concerning thing to Adie, it was the completely lost look in his eyes. Nick’s eyes had always been full of energy, they sparkled when he laughed, and you could always tell when he was up to something but now, now they just looked empty. She had to help him get the sparkle back but as she started the engine she said the worst thing possible and she knew before the entire sentence left her mouth that it had been a mistake.

“I guess this counts as a brick.”

He flew out the car, quicker then it took her to blink an eye and again she followed into the harsh weather, yet this time he only made it to the front of the car before he stopped when she spoke again, her voice raised because of the now swirling wind around them.

“Why is it so hard for you?”

“Because you wouldn’t understand,” He told her with a shake of his head.

“What is there to not understand? You’re sad because we lost Molly, it’s okay to be sad about that Nick, it deserves tears, I don’t know who told you that showing emotion was showing weakness but they were wrong. We lost a child Ni-”

He cut her off angrily, pointing an accusing finger at her, “No don’t you dare tell me it’s okay to grieve, I seem to remember you telling me it was none of my god damned business when I tried to help you, so don’t you dare try and tell me how to grieve. You know what it’s not even about that, this is about you and how when things get tough you always fucking run!”

“So all of this is about me leaving again? All of this is about how messed up our relationship is? None of it is about the baby we buried three months ago? I find that really hard to believe. You hid your grief Nick, you hid your grief because I was selfish I didn’t think anybody could be hurting as much as I was over loosing Molly, I fell apart and I made you be strong for me, I made you hide your emotions from me and that was wrong. I’m sorry it took me so long to realise that, I’m sorry it took me going away to realise that. But I’m here now.”

“Well you’re too late because I’ve made my peace with it, I’ve done my grieving and I’m not up for the whole grieving together thing because I’m over it.”

“Over it?” Adie asked, not being ale to cover the hurt that the question vocalised.

“Yeah,” he nodded, “I can’t dwell on it. She’s gone and nothing is going to change that, tears aren’t going to bring her back, felling sad isn’t going to bring her back, I have to move on, WE have to move on.”

“So you’re over it?” She asked again.

“Yeah.” He couldn’t met her eyes, his voice was shaky, there was no conviction to his words and that was how Adie knew that Nick was lying. He was lying to try and protect himself from having to show that emotion.

“I don’t believe you.” She told him with a shake of her head.

“Loosing Molly is something I don’t think I’ll ever get over, so how can you be completely over it within three months? If you’re so over it why did you have a panic attack this morning? If you’re so over loosing our little girl then why do you have a lock of her hair and a photo of her in your back pack?”

“Don’t,” he choked out.

“Don’t what? Remind you of what we lost because it’s to hard to hear? Yeah I can see now you’re really over it.”

Nick opened his mouth three or four time to say something but the only sound that ended up escaping was an angry yell as he violently let out his frustration the only way he really knew how, by kicking the tire of the car repeatedly. Adie stood back and watched helplessly because in some ways he was just like she was and she knew that until he was ready there would be no point in trying to comfort him, she would just have to wait until he finally broke and then she would be there to catch him.

That happened a lot sooner than she could have guessed because not two minutes later the kicking stopped, the angry yells turned into sobs and for the second time that day Adie found herself wrapping him in her arms. The only difference being this time was that she too was shedding her tears with him.

It was the first time that they had both cried together since loosing their daughter and it was long over due.

We’ve been here many times before

Leaving rooms and slamming doors

We’re climbing up the bedroom walls

Sometimes we make it so frustrating

I touch your mouth I touch you lips

The answers at our finger tips

Not giving up were giving in

Why are we so complicated

 

Oh tell me what to say

Tell me

To make it all okay

 

I don’t want to see you hurting

Just hold on

Just hold on to me

I don’t want to see you crying

So hold on

So hold on to me

 To me

Hold on

 To me

 

I’m trying to think of what to do

To really make it up to you

So many truths too many lies

Making love can be so crazy

I find myself back here again

Asking you to let me in

 

You know its time to make a change

How can we live with all this maybe

There are no words that say

No words

To make it go away

 

Song Credits: Take That - Hold on

Lean on me by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:
Hi guys. I know it's been forever and I'm sorry! Thanks for being so patient with me and here is the next instalment

Nick held up the phone to his face and inwardly sighed, four hours he had lain in silence waiting for sleep to overcome his body, to take him away from all the thoughts plaguing his confused mind. Yet it hadn’t happened, his mind still awash with so many questions, so many thoughts that it was starting to hurt. His heart felt heavy, he felt as though he would never smile again but what hurt the most was, how even though they were in the same bed, he felt completely disconnected from the women he loved. That had been down to him though, because once again he had shut off from her when she tried to help him.

He hadn’t been able to hide his emotion from her and once again his guard had fallen and she had seen a side of him the very rarely escaped, yet it had happened twice in one day. The emotion, the pain was just too much to hide and instead of sucking it up it had all come tumbling out.

What shocked him the most was what a relief it had been.

Yet that voice was still there, niggling in the back of his mind and after a while it had been screaming at him and once again he had pushed her away. They had driven to the nearest motel in silence but he hadn’t missed the amount of concerned glances she had thrown his way, he hadn’t missed how her mouth had opened and closed when she had gone to say something but thought better of it. Once they had reached the motel he had quickly jumped in the shower, knowing that Adie would most likely to wallow away in the tub for an hour and when she had emerged from the bathroom, her fingers and toes more then likely wrinkly from the water, he had faked sleep. He felt her climb into bed beside him, felt her hover over him for a few moments, felt her soft lips place a tender kiss to his temple and then he felt her turn her back on him and snuggle into her side of the bed.

All he wanted was for her to wrap hers arms around him and tell him everything was going to be okay, because when she had done it after his panic attack he believed her, he had truly believed her but he just needed to hear it again. Yet he was to proud and stubborn to ask.

That was just so stupid.

He loved her, he loved her with all of his heart like he had never loved anyone else yet he was still to pig headed to let her in. He sighed heavily and grabbed for his phone again, typing a quick message.

“If we’re going to work I need to tell her everything don’t I?”

He was surprised how quickly he received a text back, “Yes you do.”

What if she doesn’t understand? What if I’m too much of a pussy for her to be with?”

“She won’t think that.”

"How do you know for sure?"

The phone lit up again but instead of one short vibration it continued and Nick got up out of bed and made his way into the bathroom as quietly as he could before answering.

“Hello.”

“I just know Nick, it’s the eight years of wisdom I have on you. Just trust me okay?” Kevin told him.

“I am supposed to be with her aren’t I?” He asked as he sat on the toilet seat.

“Why are you asking me? This is your life, I can’t tell you how to live it,” Kevin replied which made Nick laugh slightly.

“Really Kev? You sure about that because I can remember more then one occasion where you tried to tell me how to live my life.”

“But that was for your own good little man. She’s made some mistakes Nick but you of all people should be able to understand that, and if the only thing stopping you guys from working through things is you hiding your emotions then you’re a lot stupider then I thought you were” Kevin told him firmly.

“Hey!” Nick exclaimed.

“Let her in Dude, you only have to do it once.”

“Like ripping off a band aid?” he asked.

“Yep.”

“Ripping of band aids hurt like hell though Kev,” Nick grumbled.

Kevin laughed as he replied, “Yeah but it doesn’t take long for the pain to go away though does it?”

“No,” Nick sighed.

“I told you this before, I like Adie a lot and I don’t think anything in your past is going to scare her off, so let me get back to sleep and go and talk to her.”

“I love you man,” Nick told him softly.

“I love you too Kid, I’ll talk to you soon.”

He sat in the bathroom for a further five minutes before he built up the courage to go out in the bedroom. He needed this, he needed her, he needed happiness in his life and for so long he had let his past get in the way, he had been bitter and twisted about his childhood, about his family but the only person who was truly missing out because of it was himself. He didn’t want to be some bitter, resentful lonely old man, regretting the decisions that he had made, he had far too many of those already. It was time to let go of everything, it was finely time to show Adie the real him, to be the real, insecure, emotional wreck that was Nickolas Gene Carter and if she couldn’t handle that then he would know for sure that they were not meant to be together.

He climbed quietly into the bed beside her and rolled on to his left side so that he could see her, well, see the back of her anyway. He reached out a hand to run down her arm but when it was mere centimetres away from making contact he pulled back at the last second. He stared at her back for a few more seconds before quickly flipping onto his other side and closing his eyes, tomorrow, tomorrow he would talk to her, after all what was a few more hours?

His eyes had been closed for mere seconds when he heard his cell phone vibrate against the bed side table and he opened his eyes and reached out for it.

“Don’t be a chicken shit! Don’t put it off until tomorrow! If she’s asleep wake her up. You need to tell her now before it’s too late because no matter what Kristin says we are not adopting you!”

Nick chuckled to himself as he read the last part of the text message but as soon as the phone was replaced to where it had been that smile had faded because he knew Kevin was right, if he didn’t do it now then he would just keep putting it off and Adie had already left once for the same reason.

“You awake?” He asked, not moving an inch. He had hoped that she would be asleep so he was surprised when she answered quickly and clearly, an indication that she hadn’t actually been asleep either.

“Yeah, you?”

He scrunched up his nose at her question before replying, “You do realise it was me who asked you that question right? Or did you think it was that axe murderer who must have hitched a ride with us after he forgot to strike last night?”

“Oh shut up,” she told him before the room plunged into silence again.

How was he supposed to start of a conversation that was going to lead to him revealing all to her? It just felt awkward and wrong and unnatural, they had their backs to each other for crying out loud, that there was a huge barrier in itself, yet he didn’t think he would be able to look at her. Her eyes were so expressive, and he knew that when the emotion poured from him, which he knew it would, she would have a hard time concealing hers. He didn’t wasn’t to see the looks of pity or sadness in her eyes, yet he couldn’t tell her when they were opposite ends of the bed with such distance between them and so he told her that.

“This feels all wrong.”

“What?” She asked softly.

“Being here like this,” He almost whispered.

“Being here with me?” She asked, failing at hiding the hurt in her voice. He hadn’t meant it to come out like it had, he hadn’t meant to make her feel the way she obviously did with the comment.

“No, being in the same bed as you, I feel miles away from you,” he admitted.

She took the hint straight away, flipping her body so that she was facing him now, her hand snaking out to grab his in hers, “Better?” she asked.

He nodded his head yet he hadn’t finished that action when she moved again, moving up the bed and puling him closer so that his head was resting against her shoulder, her lips dropping down so she could place a kiss on his temple.

“What are you doing?” he asked.

“Hugs are always better then hand holding.”

He couldn’t argue with that, and the more he thought back the more he couldn’t actually remember being held by any girl in any of his relationships, it had always been the other way round. He had been the one to hold, he had been the protector, he had been the strong one, so to be in this position, he felt like the venerable one and for some reason it made it easier to start talking.

“It was my Dad,” he randomly threw out so it was no wonder she was slightly confused.

“Huh?”

He tried again, with a bit more explanation, “It was my Dad that taught me showing emotion was weak. I used to get bullied a lot as a kid, I was far from popular, there were so many times when I would go home and sit in my room and cry, he didn’t get that. He’s always been a guys guy, he was the most popular jock at school, had a ton of friends but I wasn’t like him, I was weaker then him and I was weak because I cried when things got to me.”

“So when did you stop?”

“Stop what?” He asked.

“Stop showing your emotion?”

He took in a deep breath as he thought back, “I was nine, that was the last time I didn’t feel like…it was the last time I wasn’t embarrassed or ashamed of crying.”

If Adie tried to hide the shock, she didn’t do it very well, “You were nine?”

Nick nodded his head as he felt her arms wrap tighter around him, “I remember him telling me to act like a man, to suck it up, to fight back, so the next day I went into school and I punched the guy who picked on me so hard that I broke his nose and after I’d done it I felt horrible, I’d purposely hurt that kid. I got into so much trouble with the school and My Mom but my Dad…he uh… I remember him being angry and yelling at me for doing it when my Mom was in the room but that night he came up to my room and congratulated me on becoming a man, told me how proud of me that he was.”

“And that made you feel good,” she said knowingly.

“Yeah. After that I couldn’t go back to being weak again, I had to be a man. That’s the way I’ve been, when the band happened I thought he was going to be so proud of me, my Mom was but he um…he…when they were getting divorced it was my fault,” He said softly, managing to keep his tears at bay for the time being.

“What?” She asked angrily.

“I was the reason Mom had turned into a money grabber, I was the one who split the family because I was away so much and when I was younger one of them always had to be with me, I was a disruption to the family and then I left so I took Aaron’s childhood from him because my Mom needed a new cash cow.”

“He told you that?”

“Yeah,” he choked out.

She placed a kiss to the side of his head before saying, “Sweetie-”

That was exactly what he didn’t want, he didn’t want her to feel sorry for him, he just wanted to tell her, if she started with the whole sympathy thing it was just going to make him feel worse and if he had any hope of explaining things to her then he just needed to get everything out.

“Can you not say anything? I’m not telling you this because I want your pity or your sympathy, I’m trying to make you understand why I am like I am.”

He could feel movement above him and knew she was nodding her head as she spoke, “Okay, alright, I won’t say anything.”

“The moment I turned eighteen I left. I should have known then because none of them made any effort that year, can you remember what you did for your eighteenth birthday?”

“Sure,” she said and instantly he could hear the smile in her voice as she remembered. “My Dad woke me up five minutes before the time I was officially born so I could experience the whole of my birthday, at six am I was in the garage practicing how to change a tyre and when I showed him I could he woke up my Mom and Rachel took me out to the drive and they all were there when I got my very first car.”

“The beat up Ford?” He asked.

“Yep, Fred, although I think he was bi curious because of the pink seat covers and dice,” she replied laughing at her joke.

He wanted to laugh with her but when he compared his day to hers, well there was no comparison, not with his blood family anyway, the guys on the other hand, they had been the ones to make his day.

“The only good memory I have about my eighteenth birthday is finally realising that Brian, Alex, Howie and Kevin weren’t my just my friends, that they were my brothers, they were my family. That was when I decided I wanted out and moving in with Mandy seemed like a good idea because I didn’t want to be on my own. That fell apart quickly because it wasn’t the right thing for us, it was just convenient.”

“You said in therapy that you were relieved when they divorced, a lot of people get sad when their families split up,” she pointed out.

He knew that, he knew the most common feeling to suffer through any marital break up was sadness and that was why he felt weird when all he felt had been relief when his Mother had told him.

“By the time they divorced I hadn’t been apart of that family for years so I was relieved because I thought things would get better, I thought the tension would be gone. They had fallen apart long before Backstreet even started but the only reason they stayed together, the only reason my Dad stayed was because with me working he didn’t have to, if he stayed he got that life style too. With everything all gone I thought our relationship would be better, so I went to see him I can still remember a conversation we had like it was yesterday,” Nick told her, he could feel the lump form in his throat, knowing what he was about to share next was going to be hard. It was something he had never shared with anyone else. “We sat in the back yard having a beer and he told me how great his life was now that my Mother wasn’t in it, he bragged about how great Ginger was how great Taelyn was, how he couldn’t wait to be a Dad again, and how relieved he was that that part of his life was over. Do you know how that made me feel?”

“I can’t even imagine.”

“I was part of that life, I was part of the life he obviously hated,” he whispered, knowing any more volume would make the tears start to fall.

“So why was he still in your life, why is he still in your life if he said that and why wasn’t your Mom?” It was a fair question, a question he had pondered himself so many times before and he still could not come up with a valid answer.

“I don’t know, I honestly don’t know,” he said shaking his head, “Maybe it was because she was more vocal, she was the reason there was so much scandal behind the whole divorce I think I got mad at that, I got mad at having to answer all the question the press would throw at me about a family I didn’t feel connected to. Alex and Brian would get really pissed when that was all the media was interested in, I hid my emotion so well that they I thought I was okay with it so they’d rib me about it, they’d make jokes and I would do one of two things, I would either joke back or I’d lash out. The person I used to lash out the most to was Kevin because he knew that I wasn’t okay but I couldn’t admit that in front of him.”

“Why?” She asked.

“Because I didn’t him to think I was weak, I didn’t want to cry in front of him.”

“Nick do you think Kevin is weak?” She asked.

Did he think Kevin was weak? Of course he didn’t, he idolised the guy, he had been through so much, had lost his father at nineteen, Kevin was always the one with his head screwed on, was always full of useful advice, would be there at a drop of a hat no matter what you had done. So no he didn’t think Kevin was weak at all.

“No.”

“But he is the biggest cry baby in the world, he balled at Alex and Rachel’s wedding, he gave my Mom and run for her money,” Adie pointed out.

“I know that, I know it’s stupid but crying is weakness in my Dad’s eyes and for some stupid reason I still seek his approval, I still want to be proud of me I don’t want to be a disappointment.”

“How the hell are you a disappointment?” She asked angrily but he knew it wasn’t directed at him, instead it was directed at his Father. “You have made such an incredible life for yourself Nick, you’ve travelled all over the world, you’ve won awards you sold out stadiums x amount of nights in a row, You’re kind and thoughtful and funny. What’s he done that’s so great?”

“I don’t know,” he answered quietly.

“I understand about wanting to make your parents proud. That’s why my parents didn’t know about what happened in London, but at the end of the day they’re your parents they should be able to look past everything and love you for the person you are, flaws and all.”

He turned more into her then, one of his hands wrapping around her middle as he spoke his next words, “Shouldn’t you be able to do that too? If you love me as much as you say you do shouldn’t you just be able to accept that I can’t show my emotions, that this is who I am?”

Adie sighed heavily as her hand wove softly through his hair and he knew she was thinking of the right words to say. “You had an anxiety attack this morning Nick and that’s not right, that’s not somebody whose cut from their emotion that someone who is bottling all their emotion until becomes too much for them to bare. Did you know the people who suffer from anxiety attacks live ten years less then those who don’t?” He didn’t but that was one scary thought. “That’s not the only problem either because instead of letting your sadness out by crying or by talking about it with others, you get angry and frustrated when people do try to help and then you get physical.”

He already knew that and he knew that it wasn’t healthy, it was why so many of his past relationships had broken down. He had never laid a hand on any of his girlfriends but he had come close and that had been enough for them. It was something he had just come to accept.

“That’s why you shouldn’t be with me,” he told her firmly.

“No,” she shook her head in disagreement, “It’s exactly why I should be with you. I understand how hard hiding from your emotion can be, I understand how it can all just bubble to the surface and what can start off as something so small and petty and stupid can turn into something huge, so big that you feel you have no control over anything. When did you have your first anxiety attack?”

He thought back but it didn’t take long, “We were on the black and blue tour, so it must have been 2001. It was after the meeting where the others decided that it was time to take a break.”

“The others decided? You didn’t get a say?” She asked.

“It was four against one Adie. It had been a really rough couple of years, the lawsuits and Alex and we were all fighting more and we were exhausted but the difference was they had families to go back to, I didn’t.”

“Because your folks were divorcing?” She asked getting the wrong end of the stick.

“No, the guys, the touring, they were my family, that was my life, from thirteen I don’t think I spent more then a month away from them. My real family had completely disintegrated and if felt like my second family, the family at that point I felt more connected to was headed down the same path. I just…I’ve never felt so alone or so scared in my life, because they way things were back then I didn’t think we would get back together,” He admitted with a shaky sigh.

“It was that bad?” She asked not being able to hide the shock at his confession.

“Yeah. At first I was really pissed off because I felt like they were all being so selfish, so I figured I’d do something for me but they all seemed to hate that idea, I think they figured I would be the one to stop us getting back together.”

“Would you have been?”

“Not in a million years,” He told her quickly and it was the truth to. “Even if I had double the success that I achieved with them I would have still gone back because they’re my family, when I did the solo record that was when I realised that being in the band isn’t a job, being solo was a job, being in the band its like going home, it’s like a being at a family bar b q twenty four seven. Back then I didn’t understand, I was twenty one, but now…Kevin was the age I am now back then, but now I do. I understand why he used to get pissed off with being away all the time, being away from Kris, I used to take the piss out of him but now I understand because I hated being apart from you on this tour.”

“He was who you were on the phone to wasn’t he?” She asked knowingly.

“Yeah. Is it bad that when things get rough I always turn to him rather them my real family?” He asked.

“No. That’s why you acted the way you did when he left wasn’t it?”

He nodded again, “Yeah. Everything was starting to fall into place again in my life, the band was back together, we were touring and having so much fun, I’d just met you, life was really good back then. By that point I had started to be more open with Kristin and him, Kris was the person who found me when I was having my first anxiety attack, he was the only one who called me to tell me that he liked my album, he even sang I got you down the phone to me because he liked it so much and told me I was punk ass for stealing it so it couldn’t be on our next album. They’ve always been there for me, Kristin still jokes that she wants to adopt me,” he even managed a small chuckle at that, right along with her, well until she spoke her next words anyway.

“I’m glad you called them.”

“What?” he asked but he knew what she meant.

“When we lost Molly, I’m glad they were there for you and I’m sorry I wasn’t,” she said placing a soft his to his head again. He could feel the tears begin to well up more in his eyes and he knew that he wasn’t going to be able to hold them in for much longer.

“I feel like I’m never going to be happy again Adie,” he admitted to her.

She tightened her hold on him and she told him, “You will be.”

“How do you know that?” he asked unsure of her answer.

“Because…“ she hesitated, “because when I was in Nepal, I was ignoring my emotions, all I could focus on was what I lost, I didn’t realise what I still had, what I was risking loosing because I couldn’t face dealing with my emotion and your emotion. I remember telling you that Molly dying defined out relationship and in a way it kind of does. It defines a really shitty time but if we can get through this, we can get through anything. There was one women in Nepal, she lost three children and yet she didn’t wallow in her grief, she didn’t let it consume her, she let make her stronger, she didn’t have half of the things I do and it made me realise how selfish I am, or was. Yeah was because I know I can change, I have to change to be better for you. I think the only reason you feel like you are never going to be happy again is because you’ve repressed everything and I’m partly to blame for that because I let you, just like let me run. We’re both as bad as each other baby so I think we should make a pact, that from now on, you’re not going to let me run anymore and I’m not going to let you hide everything inside.”

“I think that’s a really good idea,” he told her as he tightened his own hold around her waist.

“Yeah?” She asked.

“Yeah because right now all I want to do is cry,” he admitted as the first few tears slipped down his cheek.

She kissed his head yet again and simply told him, “Then cry.”

And he did.

***

Adie could feel her shoulder being shaken lightly and then that was followed by Nick softly calling her name. She opened her eyes slowly but when she looked around she was slightly confused and it wasn’t until she looked out in front of her that she realised where they were.

“Are we home?” She asked hoarsely.

 “Yeah,” he nodded, “Come on, it’s late. She tried to wipe the sleep from her eyes as she yawned and when she opened her eyes again a small smile escaped her lips when she spotted him carrying her stuff into the house, because that morning she hadn’t been so sure it would happen.

Thirteen hours before

Adie could hear Nick moving around the room and from the sounds of things he was packing up his bag. She just felt far too tired to face the world at that moment and so she just snuggled deeper into the pillow and tried to shut her mind of from the noise that was going on around her. She had almost drifted off again when she heard his voice.

“Adie? Time to wake up,” he told her quietly.

“No it’s time to stay asleep,” she moaned, letting out a frustrated groan when she felt the cold hit her body from where he had obviously yanked the covers back.

“C’mon!” He exclaimed.

She moaned again as she wiped at her eyes but when she opened them and saw that it was still dark outside a frown crossed her face as she yawned and asked,

“What time is it?

Nick glanced down at his watch, “Five forty five.”

“Why the hell are you up so early?” She mumbled into her pillow as she snuggled down to try and get back off to sleep, there was no way she was getting up now.

“Because if we’re on the road in half an hour it means we can make it back home tonight. So come on, up and showered, I’ll drive the first leg,” he told her.

She tried to hide her tears but for the past few days she had been keeping her own emotions at bay so that she could be strong for Nick and it had all finely caught up with her. The sob that escaped her lips caught his attention immediately and he was by her side instantly.

“What’s wrong?” He asked concerned as he sat down on the bed beside her.

“Can you just be honest with me?” She choked out.

“What do you mean?” he asked slightly confused.

“This whole trip you’ve been so focused on getting home and I said to you at the beginning that if you were still adamant about leaving when we got back I wouldn’t stop you. You wanting to get home as badly as you do makes me think you’ve already made your mind up,” She cried, the tears falling faster when he was quiet for a moment.

“I have made my mind up,” he told her truthfully.

“Oh God,” she whispered, knowing from the static look on his face that it probably wasn’t going to be the answer that she wanted.

“This year has been the worst I think I have ever had. I look at you, at us as a couple and all I can remember at the moment is all the bad stuff, it’s not healthy to live like that. We have to move on,” he said, grabbing her hand in his when she took what he was saying the wrong way as he crying grew even heavier. “The reason I want to get home so badly is so we can move on, so we can find some closure and get back to normal, it’s so we can stop focusing on the bad and be happy together again.”

“Together?” She choked out almost immediately after he stopped speaking. There was no way she could have heard that right, it had to be her imagination or wishful thinking but when his eyes softened and his lips turned up into a half smile, a smile she hadn’t seen since she had first turned up in Vegas, she knew it wasn’t.

He nodded his head, “Together. I love you too much to let you go without one hell of a fight. I think our biggest problem is that there only ever seems to be one of us fighting to keep this relationship alive, so if both of us fight, I don’t see how we can loose.”

“You’re a bastard do you know that? I thought for a minute…your face and how you were speaking I thought I’d lost you,” she told him as she smacked his arm.

“Do you really think last night would have happened if I didn’t want to be with you forever?” He asked her sincerely.

“Okay all the bags are in now, so if you get out of the car all you have to do is haul your own ass into the house. There’s three comfy beds in there and a few couches that will be a lot more comfortable then the car,” he told her as he pulled her door open, snapping her from the memory of that morning.

Adie looked at him for a moment, he still looked tired, he still looked emotionally drained but there was definitely hints of the old him there, the old parts of him that she loved, like how he got sarcastic when he was tired, how with one look into those deep pools of blue she knew that everything he had said today had been true. Yet there was something holding her back about setting foot in the house she had left so many times before, if they were truly going to start again, if she was ever going to start to find the closure she needed there was something she had to do first.

“I need to see somebody first,” she almost whispered.

He reached around and unclasped her seat belt as he told her, “I don’t think your parents are going to mind if we wait until tomorrow.”

“I talked to my Dad today, he’s fine, it’s not him I want to see,” she said softly and it took a few seconds but eventually she saw the realisation in his eyes and he re-clipped her seatbelt back in.

“Molly?” He asked and she nodded her head, trying to keep the tears from falling.

“Want me to go with you?”

“Yeah.”

***

It taken a mere ten paces for her to figure out that maybe it had been a huge mistake. A Grave yard at night? What the hell had she been thinking? The sky was completely dark, the clouds cover making the light that shone from the moon, dim and obviously there were no lights in the cemetery as not many people were stupid enough to visit at such creepy hours, luckily Nick had remembered to bring along a flashlight, otherwise it would have been damn near impossible to find where their daughter had been laid to rest.

“What was that?” She whispered quickly when she heard a cracking noise.

“That damn axe murderer that’s still not struck yet,” he laughed giving her hand a squeeze.

 “You’re so not funny Nick,” she almost hissed as she followed him, glaring when he lifted the torch so it was under his face as he let out a hearty, spooky cackle.

“Shut up!”

“Why? It’s only us, and the ghosts,” he shrugged.

He kept doing things to try and make her jump, to try and scare her but as soon as they started to get closer to Molly’s grave he became very quiet which in way was even eerier, and when he head stone was in view she heard him take a shaky breath.

She took the next few steps and then bent down in front of the cold stone, her fingers tracing the indentation that spelt out her baby girls name. She let her tears fall silently as she stood back up, she leant against his frame when she felt him wrap his arms around her from behind, his chin resting on the top of her head, as her hands fell atop his.

“It still doesn’t feel real,” she whispered.

“I know.”

“She should be here Nick,” she sniffed, “She should be here and we should be complaining about how tired we are, she should be here and we should be watching her grow.”

“I know,” He replied quietly.

“Then why isn’t she?” Adie chocked out.

“I don’t think we were ready for her. I think there is still stuff we need to work on before we’re ready for a family. You remember the Molly at the hospital?” He asked and she nodded, “She was the Molly that bought us together, this is the Molly that’s going to make us stronger.”

Sometimes in our lives

We all have pain

We all have sorrow

But if we are wise

We know there is always tomorrow

 

Lean on me

When you’re not strong

And I’ll be your friend

I’ll help you carry on

For it won’t be long

Till I’m gona need

Someone to lean on

 

Song Credits: Bill Withers - Lean on me

End Notes:
Please let me know what you think!
Apologies Don't Always Have To Be Accepted by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:
Here's the next chapter guys. Please review I was a little sad that the last chapter only got four!

Nick rolled over in bed expecting to find Adie asleep beside him so when he reached his arm out to wrap around her and all he got was cold sheet he opened his eyes and scanned the room. She was nowhere in sight, no noise was coming from the bathroom and when he lifted his head to look at the clock that was situated on her bedside table he was surprised to see that it was in fact almost midday.

They hadn’t made it to bed until past two am the previous night, the trip to see Molly being harder then he ever imagined it would be. It had been the first time Adie had been to her grave since the funeral, yet she hadn’t reacted in the way in which he thought she would have. Yes there had been tears but she had been easily consolable, her questions, although some of them left answered seemed to give her comfort and it was when she had been the one to suggest that they leave he knew that she was finally starting to find a sense of closure. That said he had woken at five am to the sound of her tears, he didn’t whisper a word, just pulled her closer to his body, took her hand in his and had lightly stroked his thumb over her knuckles and when eventually her tears were replaced by her even breathing, her also let himself drift back off. He wasn’t stupid, he knew it was going to take time, he knew that there would be days where things just seemed unbearable, and yet he also knew that they would get through them, as long as they had each other there would always be the next day that might be a bit brighter.

When they were apart the bad days just seemed like they were never going to end. He couldn’t even picture himself waking up happy, but having her back, it just felt so right. There was a hell of a lot of stuff that they needed to work through and Nick knew they would more then likely always have some unresolved issues but the only thing that made him truly happy was knowing that Adie was in his life.

He sighed as he wiped the sleep from his eyes before he yanked back the covers and got up out of bed. It was a brand new day, yesterday had been full of tears, full of what ifs, hell the past few days he had spent with her had been like that. His decision had been made, and if they were going to work he had to put all the bad stuff behind him, they had to start again, fresh and that, he decided, meant starting every morning with a smile, a hug and a kiss. He yawned as he made his way down the stairs, all the while scanning the rooms he passed in search of her. When he made his way into the kitchen he spotted her stood by the island in the centre of the room, scribbling something on a piece of paper, his loud yawn catching her attention.

 She smiled widely before speaking, “I thought you were never going to wake up.”

“I’m tired,” He moaned, as he made his way behind her, wrapping his arms around her middle he leant in a placed a small kiss to her cheek as she folded the piece of paper she had been writing on and quickly scribbled his name on it.

“That’s why I left you in bed sweets, you did a lot of driving yesterday,” she reminded as she placed the pen and paper down on the counter before turning in his arms so he could see her face.

“Tell me about it, if I ever have to drive that distance again it will be too soon,” he yawned. “I have the best plan in the world, it’s the plan that is going to make all other plans jealous.”

She laughed a little as she wrapped her arms around his middle, “And what’s that?”

“Doing nothing all day. I’m thinking cheesy movies, lots of food that’s bed for us and just general vegging.”

“There is one fatal flaw with that plan babe, we have no food,” she reminded.

“Take out,” he told her with a duh element to his voice that made her laugh again.

“I can’t,” she sighed.

“What have you got against my great plan? It fool proof. I’ll even do the cheesy oh I’m stretching, argh my arm comes to rest around your shoulders and bring you in closer trick. The trick that all you girls love,” he demonstrated as his arms encircled her shoulders before he leant down to place a small peck to her lips again.

“What’s gotten into to you?” she asked with a smile.

“What I’m not allowed to kiss you anymore?” He asked with a frown.

“Of course you’re allowed to kiss me, it’s just I don’t think I have ever seen you this happy, actually this coherent after you’ve just woken up,” she pointed out.

“It’s my new years resolution,” he started but Adie cut him off.

“Okay then you’re really late at starting it or you’re a tad early,” she laughed.

“Do you want grumpy Nick back? I’m sure I could find him around here somewhere.”

“No I like this Nick better,” she said as she moved her arms up so they were wrapped around his shoulders before standing on tip toes so she could rest her head between the crook of his neck and shoulder.

“It’s a new day Adie, and I want to start every day with a smile, a hug and a kiss,” he told her as he squeezed her around the middle.

“That sounds amazing, but can I make one suggestion?” She asked as she pulled back.

“What’s that?” He asked as he looked down to her.

“I think we should end the day like that too.”

“Absolutely, now you can pick the first movie and I’ll order take out,” he said.

“Rain check for tonight?” She asked as she looked up to him.

He shook his head, “No, now!”

Adie raised her eyebrows as she warned him, “Don’t whine at me.”

“Please?” He pouted.

Adie sighed heavily again before saying, “You have no idea how much I want to say yes to you right now but when I left I didn’t only just hurt and upset you, there’s other people I need to make amends with Nick.”

“Rachel?” He asked knowingly with his own sigh. He watched as she nodded, sensing how ashamed of herself she felt for the last words that she spoke to her sister before she left. Nick knew it had only been said out of pain and jealousy, but he also knew how much the words had stung Rachel. Yet he also knew that in spite of everything, the bond that they shared as sisters was far too strong for either of them to let something like that come between them and even though it might not happen straight away, Rachel would eventually forgive her sister. He just had to help Adie realise that.

“She’ll understand Sugar Puff,” He told her softly as he squeezed her closer to his torso but Adie snorted in response.

“She shouldn’t have to though because I never should have said those things in the first place. What kind of horrible person tells their own sister that they don’t deserve to be happy?” She choked out.

“You were hurting,” he reminded.

“That’s not the point and you know it, I mean you told me after that fight that I was wrong in saying what I did so why are you trying to excuse it now?” She asked sceptically as she pulled away from him.

There wasn’t really much he could say to that, he had told her she was wrong at the time, and he still believed that she was totally out of line but he also knew that people said and did stupid things when they were upset. He also knew that Adie had had the time to realise what she said was uncalled for, he knew how ashamed of herself she felt and he also knew how hard it was going to be to go to Rachel and try and make things right.

“She’s my best friend Nick, what if she never talks to me again?” Adie asked softly as she picked up her purse from the counter and threw the strap over her shoulder.

“Rachel not talk?” Nick asked with a small chuckle, “I don’t think you are going to have a problem there.”

“I’m being serious.”

He wrapped his arms around her again whispering into her ear, “She’ll forgive you.”

“I really hope your right,” she whispered back as she wrapped her own arms around his waist, her head resting on his chest.

“Want me to come with you?” he offered.

“No,” she said as she pulled back slightly, “This is something I really need to do by myself.” She broke away from his embrace completely and he watched as she picked up the note that had been left on the island, he took it when she handed it to him looking at her sceptically.

“I know you’re going to Rachel’s, I don’t think I really need a note to remind me, I know I’m blonde but I’m not that blonde!”

She looked at him sceptically as she lifted a stray strand of her own hair and held it up to his head before telling him, “You’re not actually looking that blonde at the moment, actually you’re almost as dark as I am.”

“Oh god my secret is out,” He said in mock shock, “I’m not actually a natural blonde.”

She snorted as picked up her keys from the counter, “You sure about that? I mean quick where’s Sweden?”

He scowled playfully at her before sarcastically answering, “I don’t know maybe on the right side of your chest like your heart is apparently.”

He knew she would come back with some witty remark, but ever since the time she had answered the question wrong when they had been watching the weakest link, he loved reminding her about it. It had been hilarious because she had yelled out “It’s the right side!” to which Kevin had piped up and said, “I thought your heart was on the left?” Yet Adie had been adamant that the heart was on the right side of the chest, even whooping when they guy who was answering the question gave the same answer as she did, her anger swelling when he was told the answer was incorrect. It wasn’t until she placed her hand to her chest that she realised, her face turning completely beetroot as everyone mocked her and for the next few weeks she had found love heart candy in her luggage and in her purse, and Nick knew without fail there would be a packet wrapped up for Christmas curtosey of Kevin.

“If you were dextra-cardic your heart would be on the right side,” she replied just like he knew she would.

He didn’t say anything to her, as he looked down and began to open the folded piece of paper but she placed her hand over his, making him look up to her.

“Can you wait until I’ve gone?” She asked shyly, indicating there was stuff written in there that she must have been embarrassed about, or stuff she found difficult to tell him.

“I don’t know I might never see you again if I do that,” he joked, thinking back to the last letter he had received from her. The moment the centence left his lips he knew it had been a mistake, her whole face flushed red, her eyes brimmed with tears and she looked to the ground instantly. He sighed heavily before apologising, “I’m sorry. That wasn’t a very funny joke.”

“I better go,” she said as she started to move away from him.

“Wait,” he said quickly, grabbing for her arm, “I trust you and I didn’t mean to make you feel bad with what I just said. It was a lame joke, I didn’t want to upset you. I think we’ve both had enough of that to last us a lifetime.”

“I know. I’ll be back later,” she said as she looked to him before pulling away again and he let her, but before she walked through the kitchen door she stopped abruptly and turned to him, “Carter?”

“Yeah?” He asked with a small smile.

“I love you,” she said as she blew him a kiss.

“Love you too,” he said as he watched her walk out of the room. When he heard the front door slam he sat down on one of the stools that surrounded the island and opened the letter that she had handed to him.

Nick,

I was just going to write you a quick note to let you know that I am at Rachel’s and Alex’s but as soon as I put pen to paper I had this overwhelming sense of da-ja-vu and then I realised it wasn’t da-ja-vu at all it was a memory. Six months ago, almost to the day, I was stood here writing you another letter, a letter that caused you pain, a letter that took me almost two hours to write because I was sobbing so hard I kept smudging the words and would have to start again. That should have been my clue right there that no matter how hard I tried to run I wouldn’t succeed.

I don’t know if you still have that letter but if you do I want you to replace it with this one.

I don’t think I will ever be able to explain to you how truly sorry I am and I don’t think I will ever truly understand the full extent to which I hurt you but I promise I will spend the rest of my life trying to make it up to you. I was in bed last night but instead of sleeping I watched you and wondered what I had done to deserve having such a kind, caring, funny and most of all patient man in my life. Now after saying that I am slightly concerned that your head won’t fit through the door, so here’s a few things to deflate that head slightly, you’re still kind of a slob, and the only reason I couldn’t sleep last night was actually because of your snoring!

He chuckled at her zany sense of humour as he continued to read.

Saying that, I wouldn’t change one single thing about you, because your flaws make you human, they make you the Nickers that I love with all of my heart. I don’t think you will ever know how thankful I am that you decided to give me another chance because a lot of people would have grown tired of me long ago. These past few days I found myself really studying you because I was so sure that all I was going to have left would be memories, and the more I looked at you, the more I realised how much I truly loved you. It scares me how much I love you and I now know that there is no one out there who I could love more, you are it for me, no one else will ever come close, you are my other half Nick, my missing piece, without you I would feel lost.

I’m sorry it took me so long to realise that. There is so much more I want to write but I can hear your heavy footsteps coming down the stairs, seriously do you have to walk like an elephant in the morning?

I love you so, so much.

Always and Forver

Your Sugar Puff.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxx

He wiped the tears that had threatened to spill from his eyes before he folded the paper back up, a smile crossing his face because he knew that no matter how much more life could thrown at them, he had made the right decision in taking her back.

***

Adie took a shaky breath and mentally ran through what she wanted to say to Rachel as she made her way up the stone pathway to her sister’s house. She had spotted that there was only one car in the driveway and she wasn’t sure whether that was a good thing or not, because it meant that either Rachel was out, or it meant she was home alone and at that point Adie so hoped that Alex was the only person who was in the house, because he would be so much easier to talk to. She knew she didn’t deserve Rachel to just forgive her and she knew that in all likeliness she wouldn’t get it anyway, that’s where her and Rachel were so different. Adie would say she accepted someone’s apology even if she didn’t, but it time it would become clear she was still pissed off, Rachel, well Rachel would let you know right off the bat and when she was like that she could be damn right nasty. That was what she was not looking forward too and as she pressed the bell she sent up a silent prayer that Alex was home alone, so at least when Rachel returned there would be another person in the house.

Her prayers seemed to be granted because a few moments after she rung the doorbell it was Alex who wrapped her in a huge hug at first sight and she smiled as she wrapped her arms around him.

“It’s good to see you too Alex,” she told him with a laugh as she pulled away.

“No Nick?” He asked solemnly, his dark eyes sad.

She smiled before answering, “I asked him not to come.”

“So things are good between you guys?” He asked hopefully a large grin spreading across his face as he shut the door behind her and started to walk towards the back of the house.

“We’re working on things. Is Rachel not home?” She asked as she followed him into the kitchen.

“She’s grocery shopping, she should be home soon though. So you and Nick? You’re together?” He asked again as he sat on one of the stools that surrounded the island.

She followed suit, nodding her head as she placed her purse in front of her, “Yes. I don’t know how I managed to convince him but he took me back.”

“He didn’t need any convincing Adie.”

“The whole trip back…” She hesitated as she remembered, “He was awful, he was horrible, hurtful, even spiteful. He woke up in a real pissy mood and I told to go back to sleep and wake up when he was happy and so he said the only way he would wake up happy was if he woke up three years ago. He really wasn’t the Nick I knew.”

“Is he still being like that?” Alex asked, concern etched in his raspy voice.

“No,” Adie shook her head quickly, “ God no. This morning it was like the past year never happened and I don’t know if I believe we can just go back to being like that.”

“Do you want him to still be angry at you? To hold a grudge?” He asked.

“No,” she said softly, her gaze falling to her lap as she fiddled with the strap of her purse. “This just seems too easy Jay“.

“He’s moving on Adie. You can sit and dwell over what you guys have been through forever if you wanted, you can relive all the unhappy memories but it’s going to get you nowhere. I’m not saying you should forget it completely and never talk about it but reliving it all the time isn’t healthy either.”

Adie was just about to tell him she knew that but the shrill ring of the phone stopped her and she stayed silent as she listened to Alex part of the conversation.

“Hello… It’s probably the transmission, call triple A… Max has just gone down for a nap Rache, you know how grumpy he gets when you wake him up from one…so what if the ice cream melts?” He replied the frustration clearly evident in his voice.

“I can stay and listen for Max,” Adie semi interrupted catching his attention.

“Hold on Rache,” Alex said dropping the phone down from his ear and covering the mouth piece as he asked, “You sure?”

Adie nodded, “Yeah, he’s asleep, its fine.”

“Thanks,” he smiled as he bought the phone back to his ear and began speaking to Rachel again, “I’ll be there in a few minutes baby.” He hung up the phone before grabbing the keys from the hook, “Thanks Adie, he’s literally just gone down so he shouldn’t be awake for at least an hour and we’ll be back by then.”

“No problem, I’ll see you in a few,” she said as she watched him walk out of the door and it wasn’t until she heard the car pull out of the driveway she realised what she had offered to do, what she was actually doing.

Upstairs was a five month old, a baby, a child that could quite easily resemble what her own baby would have looked like at that age. Yes she had worked with babies in Nepal but they were sick, they were of completely different race and back then she had been repressing everything, upstairs was her sisters child, her nephew and she had just made a huge mistake in saying she would look after him because she knew she was nowhere near ready to be around him yet.

She walked into the living room and took a seat on the couch, to try and calm herself but when she looked at the picture on the coffee table she could feel the hot tears begin to well up. It was Max, only a few weeks old, sat in his stroller, Nick’s baseball cap a top his head, so big that it had taken a few attempts to get the shot because it kept falling and covering his whole head. Yet it wasn’t the picture that made her want to cry, it was remembering that day it was taken, because that afternoon Nick and her had taken him home, and it was then she realised what an amazing Father Nick would become.

“Dinner time Max,” Nick told him softly, smiling when Max took the bottle and began to chug down on it. “You’re hungry huh?” He laughed looking up to Adie with a smile. “Are you going to breast feed?”

“I’d like to, it’s better for her then formula is but from looking at Rach I think I might express some too,” Adie told him as she moved to sit sideways on the couch so she was facing him completely, her legs crossed Indian style beneath her.

He smiled at her again before turning his attention back to the small boy in his arms. He didn’t say anything to him or to her but Adie knew, just by the way he looked down lovingly at a baby that wasn’t even his, that he was ready and the realisation was bittersweet. If she hadn’t of come to her senses she would have missed out on all of this, it made the guilt she felt in her chest everyday swell even further.

She didn’t get much further with the memory because the small wail from above her caught her attention, and she knew it could only be on person.

Adie sighed heavily as she whispered over and over, “Go back to sleep, please go back to sleep.”

With her earlier prayer about Rachel being granted her quota was up for the day and Max’s wailing only got louder and when it got to the point where Adie knew his bottom lip would be quivering she forced herself up the stairs. She slowly made her way into his nursery but it took her a further few minutes for Adie to actually make herself look into the crib and when she did she couldn’t believe how much he had changed. Sure she had seen him before he left for Vegas but she had purposely focused her attention on Alex for most of that encounter.

“Shhhhhhhhhhh,” she said softly as she began to rock the crib back and forth and when Max sensed he wasn’t alone, his crying stopped and he focused on where the noise was coming from, his dark eyes fixing on his aunts. Adie didn’t say anything else, she just reached across and started the mobile, hoping the soothing tones would ease him back to sleep and in a matter of minutes he was sound asleep again.

Instead of getting out of the room as quickly as she could Adie stayed and studied him. He was completely beautiful, from the top of his head that was covered in wisps of dark hair right down to his little stubby toes and she knew she couldn’t have been more wrong when she told Rachel that she didn’t deserve him because Adie couldn’t actually think of anybody who was luckier. She was just about to reach out a finger to stroke down Max’s cheek when her sisters voice startled her, making her turn around quickly.

“What are you doing?” Rachel asked, crossing her arms as she made her way into the room.

“He started to wake up so I came up here to see if I could get him back to sleep,” Adie told her.

Rachel looked over the crib as if she didn’t trust her sister as she said coldly, “Alex shouldn’t have asked you to stay and watch him.”

“He didn’t ask me I offered,” Adie told her as she backed away from the crib. The silence grabbing hold like icy hands around her neck. Rachel just stared at her for a minute before Adie broke the silence, signalling to Max, “He’s gotten really big, is he smiling yet?”

“Yeah, first person he smiled at was Nick, really pissed Alex off.”

Adie knew that piece of information had been shared out of spite, it was a way to try and make Adie feel bad and it worked but she wasn’t going to let Rachel know that it had got to her.

“I’m sor-”

Rachel held up her hands and cut Adie off, “I don’t want to hear it, you’ve written it in a letter and you’ve told me once already. I think you should leave.”

 “I don’t want this to come between us Rach, you’re my sister,” Adie reminded.

“Maybe you should have thought about that before you opened your mouth.”

“Everybody makes mistakes,” Adie told her softly.

“Some people never seem to learn from them though. I mean how many times did you walk away?” Rachel asked with a sarcastic laugh.

“I never walked away from you, so I’m not going to sit here and apologise to you for something I did to Nick. I’ve apologised to him, he accepted it and we’re moving past all this and I’m sorry if you don’t like that but that was his choice, he choose to take me back and if you don’t like his decision then you need to take that up with him,” Adie told her firmly.

Rachel stared her down for a few seconds, her eyes so dark and cold that Adie almost looked away, but that was exactly what Rachel wanted.

“Just get out of my house Adrianna,” Rachel spat and Adie knew that she had, for at least that day, done as much as she could to rebuild that bridge. Rachel was also ways going to be a difficult one to win back over and she knew the more she pushed the more her sister would back away.

Adie walked out of the room and managed to hold in the tears until she made it halfway down the stairs, bumping into Alex who had obviously been trying to eaves drop on their conversation.

Noticing her tears he asked, “What she do?” Before the anger boiled to the surface, “You know what I’m going to go up there and give her a piece of my mind.”

Adie grabbed his arm with a shake of her head, “No Alex don’t, it’s fine.”

“It’s not fine Adie, you’re crying,” He pointed out angry at his wife’s behaviour.

Adie wiped at her eyes as she reminded, “I said really horrible things to her, I didn’t think she would welcome me with open arms you know. I guess wasn’t expecting her to hate me so much. I don’t want her to hate me she’s my big sister Alex and she hates me.”

She covered her face with her hands as her earlier repressed sobs found their way out and she didn’t protest when Alex pulled her into his arms and had semi managed to get her tears under control when she heard a familiar voice from behind her.

“I don’t hate you Adie, I’m really mad at you but I don’t hate you. You just…you really hurt me with what you said about me,” Rachel told her.

Adie pulled away from Alex as she wiped at her eyes before saying, “That’s what I was going for, I was hurting, I was really hurting then and you were so happy and I was beyond jealous that you had everything I wanted. I wanted to make you hurt like I was. I shouldn’t have done that and I’m sorry, I’m so sorry.”

“I’ve always felt inferior when it comes to you Adie. You’ve always been the well behaved one, the one to get the good grades, when you were in England and we would go to family bar-b-q’s and stuff people always asked about you and the answer would always be “My Adie, she’s doing so great, she’s really making something of her life.” Whenever people would talk to me and I’d tell them what I was doing Dad would always make some remark at the end about it being a stop gap until something better came along. He didn’t seem to care that I was happy with what I was doing, witnessing wasn’t god enough for him, not compared with what you were doing. Even on my wedding day I still felt as though they thought it deserved to be you walking down the isle,” Rachel admitted.

“What?” Adie asked, finding her sisters revelation shocking.

Rachel moved to sit on the bottom step of the stairs before she continued, “Mom was still trying to convince me on the day before the wedding that red wasn’t a traditional colour for the bride, that she was sure we could go and find a nice white dress somewhere and Dad, all he kept going on about was what a great job you had done in planning the wedding.”

“I didn’t plan it, I helped you but I didn’t plan it,” Adie reminded.

“I know that but he seemed to think the only reason it had all come together was because of you,” Rachel replied not being able to hide the bitterness in her voice.

“Then why didn’t you tell him?” Adie asked somewhat angrily.

Rachel just shrugged, “I don’t know. You know the only time I felt as though they were genuinely proud of me was when I told them I was pregnant and then you went told them that you were pregnant and you were due on Dad’s birthday. You weren’t even with Nick anymore but they managed to see past that, if it had been the other way round they wouldn’t have. I’m sorry about Molly I really am and I’d never wish that on anyone but for you to say that I didn’t deserve to be a wife and mother and that I didn’t deserve to happy was really low. That’s why I told Mom and Dad about Mark and what happened, and I shouldn’t have done but I was defending myself. But I was still the one to get reprimanded for doing that because he,” she said, pointing at Alex who was stood next to Adie, “stuck up for you so I still felt like I was worth nothing, nobody really had a go at you over what you said to me.”

“Yes they did,” Adie told her quickly, “after everybody left Nick…he came and told it to me straight but I already knew how wrong it was Rachel but I was at rock bottom and I know that shouldn’t be an excuse but I wasn’t thinking straight then, I sat at the creek for two hours in my pyjamas, I left Nick again that day, I was selfish and horrible and insanely jealous that you had everything I wanted and I am so sorry that I have made you feel like your not important because you are. You are so important, you’ve always been there for me, always and I took that for granted, this whole trip back with Nick all I wanted to do was call you and talk to you about it and get your opinion on whether you thought he was going to take me back and it was so hard to not be able to do that,” Adie admitted as she wiped the further tears that had spilled.

“He was always going to take you back Adie, it could have been twenty years but he would have taken you back,” Rachel told her.

Adie frowned before asking, “Then why did you tell me he wasn’t going to wait forever?”

“I was trying to give you the kick up the butt you needed, Rachel admitted. “Did you even know that when you walked away from me that you almost knocked the two coffees out of his hands as you stormed past?”

“He saw me?” Adie asked. Rachel just nodded her head in confirmation. “But he didn’t follow me,” Adie reminded, “So how did you know he was going to wait?”

“Because he told me that you were his soul mate, you were his other half but he knew that it was up to you to realise that too,” Rachel shared.

“He really said that?” Adie asked, slightly shocked by what she was being told.

“Yeah.”

“I don’t deserve him,” She whispered.

Alex was quick to step in, “Yes you do, so stop thinking that you don’t.”

“I don’t want to be this person Rachel, I don’t want to be jealous and push people away, I don’t want to be angry and resentful. I want to be happy, I want to be like you are.”

Rachel snorted before she spoke, “No you don’t. The grass isn’t so green from where I stand all the time you know.”

That was when Adie realised just how badly she had hurt her sister, it was when she realised it wasn’t just from the comment she had made a few months before, it had been from a lifetime of comments and actions not only made by her but from their parents. It was then that Adie understood why Nick and Rachel seemed to get on so well, because they both understood the frustrations of trying to make someone proud, of trying to seek someone’s approval.

 “I’m sorry I hurt you, I am so, so sorry and I understand if you don’t want to forgive me but can we move past it?” Adie asked but before Rachel could answer, Max began to wail.

Alex tried to intervene and offered to go and see to him but Rachel stood quickly and told him that it was okay and that she would see to him. Adie watched as her sister retreated up the stairs before letting out a small sigh as she turned to Alex.

“I should go,” she said solemnly.

“Are you not going to wait to see what she has to say?” He asked.

“I think her silence was answer enough.”

He grabbed her in a another hug, “Just give her a bit of time Adie.”

“Yeah,” she nodded, willing the tears not to fall as she wrapped her arms around him, “I’ll uh…I’ll see you soon.

***

Adie had managed to calm herself down on the drive home, it hurt like hell that Rachel hadn’t been able to forgive her but Adie wasn’t sure whether if it was her in that situation she would be able to let it go so quickly. The anger her sister felt towards her wasn’t just from the argument they had had just before she left either, it was now quite clear that Rachel’s feelings had been stemming back for quite a while. It was going to take a long time to completely sort this problem out and Adie knew that it would have to be a family affair because her parents were partly to blame as well.

She pulled the car to a stop just outside the house and let out a big sigh. At least she had tried to start the healing process with her sister, that was all she could do for the time being, the ball was now in Rachel’s court and all she could was wait patiently and hope that in time Rachel would at least be able to understand Adie’s actions. Adie pushed opened the car door and decided that she was going to push what had just happened to the back of her mind, at least for the rest of the day. She was going to enjoy the rest of the afternoon and evening with Nick, she could think of nothing better then snuggling up to him on the couch whilst watching lame movies.

That was why it was a little difficult to hide her disappointment when Aaron opened the front door just as she made it up the last step.

“Aaron?” she asked.

“Dude you could at least act happy to see me,” he joked, obviously sensing her disappointment.

She smiled as she wrapped her arms around his neck, “I am happy to see you sweetie.”

“Really cause from the look on your face it was like I had just ran over Layla,” he laughed as he pulled away.

“I wasn’t expecting you, that’s all. What are you doing here?” She asked as they made their way inside the house.

“Figures he didn’t tell you. Nick and I are going to New York,” he said as he jumped up onto the kitchen counter.

“Oh…New York huh?” Adie asked slightly hurt that Nick hadn’t mentioned it earlier.

“Yeah. You know what with Nick speaking to Mom again he thought it would be a good idea to get the family together again, I mean can’t remember the last time we were all in the same room together,” he rambled excitedly and that made Adie smile.

 “I bet. Is he upstairs?” She asked and he nodded, “I’ll be right back okay?”

She made her way up the stairs, eager to hear what Nick had to say about the topic. She wasn’t mad, this had obviously been planned a while ago and he deserved to spend some time with his family, she was actually really proud of him for reaching out to his Mother. What hurt was that he failed to mention any of this to her, they had only been home less then twenty four hours and all she wanted to so was spend time with him but he would be leaving again so soon. Maybe it was Karmas way of making sure she wouldn’t be so selfish again. She found him in their room, a suitcase laying open and half filled on the bed, and she leant against the door waiting for him to return from the closet. He was back in the room in a matter of seconds, a pile of t-shirts in his hand, a smile spreading across his face when he spotted her.

“Hey Sugar Puff.”

She smiled back, “Going somewhere?”

“Yeah. I actually kind of forgot until Aaron showed up.” That was so typical of him. “You’re not mad are you?” He asked, the smile disappearing from his face.

“Of course I’m not. I’m just sad that we aren’t going to be able to chill and watch cheesy movies together tonight,” she semi pouted as she made her way in the room and sat down on the bed.

 “We can still watch cheesy movies,” he shrugged.

“Yeah I suppose you’re right,” she said a little too quickly and it was then he finally realised what she had meant.

“Ohhhh we’re we hoping cheesy movies would lead to romantic movies?” He asked wiggling his eyebrows making her laugh.

“It has been almost four months,” she reminded.

“Uh what about Vegas?” he asked as he placed the T-shirts in the case.

“Vegas doesn’t count,” she told him.

“Why?” He asked confused.

“Because I was a bitch in Vegas and I just used you to get off,” she said as she looked away, her cheeks flaming red and she remembered how disgusted she had felt the next morning when he had turned round to her and called the night before a cheap fuck. He had been completely right though because she had just used him to stem her sexual need.

“Hey,” he said softly as he pulled her hands and helped her up off the bed, making Adie look at him. “I love you.”

She smiled brightly before answering, “I love you too, so much.”

“I know you do, thank you for my letter,” he whispered as he wrapped his arms around her middle and leant his head into her shoulder.

“Welcome,” Adie told him as she kissed his head. “I’m going to miss you.”

“Huh?” He pulled back with a confused look on his face.

“When you’re in New York.”

“Well I was kind of hoping you were going to come with me?”

“Really?” She asked a huge smile spreading across her face which made him smile.

“Of course. I think it’s about time you met my Mom.”

“Do you think we’d able to get another seat on the flight though?” She asked a frown crossing her face when he looked away sheepishly. “What? What did I say?”

“Yeah about that. It’s been a while since Aaron and I have had any time together and when we were in Vegas we kind of thought it would be a good idea to take a road trip,” he told her, biting his lip in anticipation on her reaction.

“To New York?” She asked and he nodded, “We’ve just driven back from Vegas Nick.”

“Yeah I know but um… there’s no flights available, I kinda already checked.”

“I guess I’ll go to Wal-Mart and load up on road trip supplies then,” she smiled.

“Love ya,” he called after her.

End Notes:
Much more to come and a bit more drama too!
Family Portrait by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:

A HUGE thankyou to you guys for being soooooooooooooooooo patient! The reviews from the last chapter were awesome and spured me on to write this one. I know it's taken long enough, but winter has arrived and that means it's manic in PICU but add swine flu and a 10,000 word dissertation, plus planning a work's crimbo party for 100 people, and trying to have a social life and it doesn't leave much time for creative writing!

I do have to admit that this is kind of a filler chapter but don't let that put you off. The next few chapters after this are going back to the more explosive, emotional stuff that Adie and Nick seem to attract!

 

“Crap,” Aaron called from the backseat and Adie leant forward to change the song, sighing heavily when Aaron announced, “this song is beyond shit.” Five songs later and she was getting a little peeved that he kept saying, “next one,” and when he asked Nick how he could be in love with someone who has no taste in music, she whirled round to defend herself.

“HEY!” She exclaimed.

“He does have a point sugar puff,” Nick added with a smirk, wincing when she slapped his arm.

“I’d like to see what he has on his iPOD, come on hand it over,” She said as she held out her hand and waited as Aaron routed around in his back pack, eventually finding the green coloured Nano.

“I’m telling you Adie, there is not one un-cool song on there,” he bragged as he handed it over.

“You won’t mind if I put it on shuffle then will you,” she said as she hit play.

“Shuffle away,” he said as she sat back comfortably in his seat, his face flushing red when the first strains of the song floated through the speakers, making Adie almost cry with laugher.

“Is this what I think it is?” Nick asked with a wrinkle of his brow as he looked back at Aaron through the review mirror.

“I downloaded it for Taelyn, I must have forgotten to delete it off I tunes before I re-synced my iPod” Aaron tried to defend.

“Yeah right, like we’re going to believe that!” Adie exclaimed. “Hey Nick at least we know what to get Aaron for Christmas now, I mean you don’t have to Troy doll do you?!” She asked as she turned in her seat to face him before bursting into giggles.

“Shut up!” He moaned.

“Oh sorry is it Ryan that you like?” She giggled.

“You know for someone who is taking the piss out of him for having the soundtrack on his iPod you sure seem to know a lot of the characters,” Nick pointed out making the smile drop from Adie’s face.

“YEAH! You love it to Adie!” Aaron exclaimed from the back as he leant forward between the two front seats.

“Put your fucking seat belt back on Aaron, if you go through the windshield I am not saving your ass,” Adie told him sternly.

“You’d have to don’t you take like an oath or something?” He asked.

“That’s Doctors AC, and plus you seem to forget your twenty one now, I only look after people under eighteen,” she retaliated as she watched him sit back and re-buckle his belt.

“Unless paeds is empty then you have to pull things out of perverts asses or look after rapists,” Nick piped up bitterly.

Adie turned her head to the left and studied him for a minute, he kept his face forward, concentrating on the road ahead as he let out a deep breath, his brow covered in wrinkle lines. She had no idea where that came from, one minute they had been happily joking around and the next he had thrown this huge dig at her, plunged the car into a really awkward silence, and made her feel ashamed about the job that she did.

“Two years ago Nick,” she defended.

“Seven months ago you got knocked out Adie,” he bit back.

It felt like someone had punched her in the stomach, she felt physically sick because with those harsh words she knew, that what he said about not blaming for her for Molly’s death, was untrue. Yet it wasn’t the time or the place to get into it, not with Aaron in the back seat anyway, the car had already become icy cold and there were still a hours away from hitting a snowy Jamestown. This was something that they were going to have to discuss when they got back to Nashville and Adie just hoped that she would be able to keep her emotions at bay for the next five days.

***

It had been three hours since the car had been plunged into an awkward silence and try as he might, Aaron’s commentary about every song, or his funny jokes could not rid the car of its icy tension. Nick knew he had gotten to her with his words but it was how he felt about her choice of work environment, he hated that whenever she was at work that he was constantly worried about her and already once this year his point had been proven.

What he didn’t understand was why she had withdrawn into herself after the comments had been made, she usually fought her corner, retaliated with the fact that she never felt he was safe with just one bodyguard and thousands of screaming fans, she hadn’t done that today and he wasn’t sure why.

He shifted uncomfortably in his seat, wincing when his neck began to ache, why was there no damn way to get comfortable when you were trying to sleep in the back of a car? He could hear Aaron and Adie talking up front but he hadn’t really been paying much attention since he and Aaron had swapped seats an hour before, yet when he focused in on their topic of conversation he was intrigued as it was about him.

“He’s not always been the best brother you know. For a while I really resented him, you know he left and I get he was pissed off with Mom and with Dad and that I didn’t really understand what was going on back then because I was just a kid, but just because he was pissed at them didn’t have to mean he had to stop seeing and speaking to the rest of us. He turned into a complete asshole,” Aaron told Adie.

“So when did you start looking up to him again?” Adie asked.

“When Mom and Dad were divorcing, literally if they could have they would have ripped me down the middle and both had half. He was the one the stood up for me, that was the first time he stopped talking to Mom, it wasn’t until like two years later that he talked to her again and that was only because he had everybody ragging on his ass about it. We shouldn’t have done that to him, we shouldn’t of made him call her,” Aaron admitted.

“You didn’t make him, he wouldn’t have called her if he didn’t want to.”

“There was a hell of a lot of pressure, mainly from Angel and Leslie, that was like three weeks before you came out to see us, the atmosphere in the house was awful and he knew to make it better he had to please them,” Aaron told her.

It was true, he had only called to make everyone else happy, he had felt pressured and look where it had gotten them all? She had used his money for a make over, to redecorate her new house he had found out afterwards and he had felt like the worlds biggest mug. He just hoped that this time it wouldn’t be the same story again.

“I look back at the whole time and we were seriously fucked up Adie and we showed the world how fucked up we were,” Aaron mumbled slightly.

“I don’t necessarily think that that is a bad thing Aaron. It showed people the just because you have fame and money that you life isn’t perfect, it doesn’t guarantee happiness,” Adie reminded.

“Yeah,” he laughed sarcastically, “Money sure doesn’t buy happiness.”

“Hey,” Adie said and Nick could hear the concern in her voice, she had probably even reached across to rub Aarons shoulder. “What’s going on in your head AC? Why are you telling me all of this now?”

“This is the first time we’ve seen Mom with the majority of us being together in years, I know he’s been to see her and I know they’ve talked on the phone but I also know that you can’t work through years of problems, years of anger in that time. He’s already turning into an asshole again Adie and he hasn’t even seen Mom yet and I just have a really bad feeling that this week is just going to be like an instant reply of how our lives have been,” Aaron admitted solemnly.

“How is he acting like an asshole?” Adie asked.

“He snapped at you, he’s been in a mood ever since then. This was supposed to be a fun road trip and so far all he’s done in sit in the front in silence for most of it.”

“None of that is to do with you though, it’s to do with him and me. Just because we’re together doesn’t make everything okay, so don’t take anything he says to heart because it probably going to be misdirected anger.”

“Are you okay with him talking to you like that?” Aaron asked and Nick could hear the slight anger in his voice.

“No I’m not okay with it but with you in the car it wasn’t the time or the place to get into it.”

“It’s not going to be the time or place at Grandpa’s either is it? I…I can’t remember the last time we were all together and it didn’t end in some huge fight,” He admitted softly and all Nick wanted to do was wrap his arms around his younger brother.

“I’m not going to start any arguments with him Aaron, I don’t think that would make a very good first impression on your family would it?” She asked with a small laugh.

“Probably not,” Aaron replied, even managing a small chuckle of his own before telling Adie, “I’m really happy you guys are together again Adie.”

“Me too,” She told him and Nick could hear the smile in her voice, but then she sighed, adding, “I just hope your Mom doesn’t have this pre conceived notion that I’m a bitch in her head.”

What Aaron said next almost made Nick give away that he was awake but he managed to stifle the laugh.

“That would kind of be the pot calling the kettle black though.”

“Aaron Charles Carter,” Adie scolded playfully, “Don’t talk about your Mom that way!”

“I was only joking Adie…well kinda.”

“At the end of the day she’s still your Mom, and trust me I am huge believer in second chances,” She said a small sigh escaping her lips and Nick knew that she was probably looking back at him.

“Her second chance was about a million chances ago though,” Aaron rationalised.

“You know what my Dad’s favourite saying is?” Adie asked, “What?” “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. Sometimes things take a while to work out, I think sometimes you have to go through things that really test you for you to actually realise what you have and how lucky you are. I’m lucky to still have, the asshole as you so nicely put it, in my life.”

“I still haven’t had a thank you for that you know,” Aaron mentioned.

“Huh?”

“I was the one that gave you the pep talk, remember Vegas? A defeated Adie in a crying mess on the floor?” He reminded, “Oh whoa is me, he’ll never take me back.”

“Thank you Aaron,” Adie told him and even Nick could tell it was the least in sincere thank you ever.

Aaron scoffed, “That was so false you could at least say it like you mean it.”

“You might want to pull in and get some gas here, we’re running a bit low.”

“Yeah change the subject,” Aaron joked but he let it slide, “You want anything to eat, it’s on me?”

“Isn’t that Nick’s credit card?” Nick heard Adie ask. Stupid little punk stealing his stuff.

“I don’t even think he knows how much money he has, he’ll never even realise it’s gone.”

You want a bet? Nick thought to himself but he didn’t move from his position.

“Grab me a water please?” She asked as Aaron unclipped his seat belt and hopped out of the car.

“Sure thing,” he replied as she slammed the door shut.

The car was quiet for a moment but then Nick heard Adie unclip her belt and shuffle in her seat before she began to speak.

“So how much of that did you hear?” She asked.

He contemplated on keeping up his pretence but she knew him to well and so he opened one eye to look at her, her head cocked to the side as she looked through the gap in between the two front seats.

He sighed as he opened both eyes and let his mouth form the croaky words, “From when he called me an asshole . I’m sor-”

“It’s already forgotten,” She quickly interjected.

He studied her for a moment and when he looked into her eyes he knew that it was by no means forgotten and so he called her out on it, “You mean it’s forgotten until we get home.”

“It’s obviously something we need to talk about, it’s always been one of our biggest issues,” She reminded.

“You mean mine,” he semi huffed.

“No,” She shook her head, reiterating what she had already told him, “I mean ours. We’re in this together Nick, that’s the only way it’s going to work your issues are my issues and in return my many issues become yours two.”

“Two emotional head fucks together huh?” he asked with a roll of his eyes. They were well and truly screwed.

“I think Rebecca looks at us and thinks Cha-ching!,” She joked which made him smile. “There’s my smile,” she said as she leant out a hand a run it down his cheek.

“I love you,” he told her softly, loosing count of how many times he had already told her that day, yet it still felt good to tell her, he felt like he constantly had to remind her.

“Ah now I can do one better,” she said with a smile as she leant her forehead on his, softly whispering, “Because I fucking love you Carter. Now you better go and stop your brother maxing out your credit card.”

Nick leant his lips forward and pulled her into a quick kiss before he made his way out of the car and into the gas station. It didn’t take him long to find Aaron, the precarious stash of food and drink in his hands looking like it was about to collapse at any moment.

“We’re an hour away you punk I don’t think we need that much food,” Nick told him.”

“My treat bro,” he just shrugged not being quick enough to stop Nick grab the credit card that he held, his focus on not dropping everything he held in his arms.

Nick looked down at the card before looking back up to Aaron with a semi smirk on his face, “Seems to say Mr N Carter on this card.”

“Okay so your treat,” Aaron admitted.

Nick raised his eyebrows, “You know I could be an asshole,” he said over annunciating the last word hinting to Aaron that he head heard his and Adie’s conversation, “and make you put this all back.”

Aaron just glared at his brother before turning towards the cash register, muttering, “It’s rude to eavesdrop.”

Nick disagreed with a shake of his head as he followed Aaron, “No it’s interesting. I’m sorry that I haven’t delivered on the fun road trip I promised, I promise the journey home will be better and I’m not going to be the one to start any arguments this week okay?”

“Have you apologised to Adie?” He asked as he placed all the items at the cash register.

“Yes.”

“You mean what you said about not starting any arguments?” Aaron asked unsurely.

“Yeah,” Nick nodded his head as he lightly tapped Aaron on the shoulder with his fist, “I’ve done enough arguing these past few months.”

***

Adie sighed quietly as she listened to Nick on the phone to his Mother. They were only two blocks away according to him and for the past fifteen minutes the butterflies in her stomach had been relentless. She was so nervous about meeting his family, and even though she knew that Aaron was going to be there as well as Leslie and Mike, it didn’t put her at ease because she knew there were so many things she could say that could potentially be taken the wrong way. She had wanted this for so long, she had wanted to meet his parents, had wanted to get to know his family in the way that he knew hers, but sat there, only one block away, she was wishing she hadn’t pushed the subject.

“You okay?” Nick asked as he hung up the phone and looked to his right.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” She blurted out a bit too quickly, a dead give away that she was nervous.

“Liar. Just relax she’s going to love you,” he said reaching over so he could give her knee and reassuring squeeze.

“After all the crap I pulled on you this year? I’ve probably awoken the protective Momma bear, hell I awoke the protective Momma bear in my Mom she was routing for you so badly and she’s MY Mom.”

“It’s always been obvious that your Mom loves me more then you,” he shrugged jokingly making Adie stick her tongue out at him.

“You know what she probably does, I’ve always been more of a Daddy’s girl,” she said knowing exactly what was going through Nick’s head when he flashed her an awkward smile and became very quiet. Molly would definitely have been a Daddy’s girl, from just the way she would respond to his voice when Adie had been carrying her it was quite obvious, the thought made her happy and sad all at once if that were even possible and she knew that was definitely how Nick was feeling. She reached out for his spare hand that had been taken off her knee when her words were spoken and gave it a light reassuring squeeze, smiling when he squeezed back.

She was just about to tell him that she loved him when he slowed the car to a stop and all of a sudden the butterflies were back, the fluttering intensifying when the door the house opened and a blonde woman made her way down the porch steps.

She watched as Aaron flew out of the car and wrapped his arms around his Mom in such a tight bear hug she knew Jane was probably having a difficult time in breathing. Adie got out of the car just as Nick reached his Mom and wrapped his arms around her just as Aaron had but there was something different about the interaction with the two. Neither pulled away quickly and as Adie walked closer she could see the tears in Jane’s eyes, what was most surprising to her however, was that when Nick pulled away he wiped his sleeve over his eyes before he turned to her. She didn’t have time to contemplate anything further because before she knew two sets of pretty much identical eyes were on her.

“You must be Adie,” Jane said with a warm smile but before Adie could reply Nick cut in.

“Nah she’s just some random I picked up off the street.”

Adie looked at him before turning to Jane and rolled her eyes which made Jane laugh.

“I see you’ve learnt the best way to deal with that is to ignore it,” Jane laughed.

“If I laugh it just makes him think he is funny, and he starts cracking more jokes,” she said with her own smile just as Jane pulled her in for an unexpected hug.

“It’s nice to finally meet you,” Jane told her sincerely.

“It’s nice to meet you too Mrs Carter,” Adie returned, instantly knowing that had been her first mistake as she felt Jane stiffen in her arms before she pulled away. “Call me Jane,” she said with a smile but before Adie could apologise for her foe par she heard someone call her name excitedly and as she turned she was enveloped in a huge hug from whom could have only been Leslie.

“Hi Les,” Adie smiled into the embrace as she squeezed back.

“It’s so good to see you,” she squeaked excitedly.

“Excuse me,” Nick piped up, “Just your brother over here, how about sharing the love?”

“DUDE I FRIGGIN LOVE YOU!” Mike exclaimed as he wrapped his arm around Nick’s neck and in typical Nick fashion he had to take it one step further and plant a rather wet kiss on Mike’s cheek.

“Nick stop molesting Leslie’s boyfriend,” Adie told him as she pulled away from the hug.

“Boyfriend?” Leslie asked as she stuck out her left hand so that Adie could see, not only the stunning diamond engagement ring on her finger, but also the plain but elegant gold wedding band that also sat there, “I think you mean husband.”

“When did that happen? Adie asked unable to hide her shock as she pulled Leslie’s hand closer to her face to inspect the rings.

“Back in October, I can’t believe you didn’t tell her,” Leslie said as she turned to Nick.

“We kind of had a lot of other things to talk about Les, I’m sorry it slipped my mind, now can we go inside because it’s friggin cold,” He whined as he jogged back to the car to grab the bags.

***

Adie spat out the remnants of toothpaste in her mouth and rinsed the brush out under the cold water before replacing the brush back in her mouth to rinse any remnants off, turning to the door as there was a knock.

“Adie? Are you decent? It’s Leslie.” Adie walked to the door and unlocked it opening it just enough for Leslie to squeeze through.

“Sorry but I know that as soon as you come out Aaron will jump in and he’ll be in here for hours,” she laughed as she pulled out some make up remover from her toiletry bag.

“No worries,” Adie mumbled as she spat out the rinsing water from her mouth before wiping her face on a towel. “Can I steal some moisturiser? I think I left half my stuff in Nepal in the rush to get back.”

“Sure, here you go,” Leslie replied as she handed her the bottle. “How is your Dad anyway?”

“Yeah he’s doing good, they let him home four days ago, he’s on bed rest for now but he’s getting there, can’t wait to get back in the garage and fix up the car,” she told her with a roll of her eyes and she squirted some moisturiser onto her hand and then proceeded to rub it into her face.

“He’s still fixing that old thing up? Hasn’t he been doing that since you and Nick started dating?” Leslie asked with a chuckle as she placed some toothpaste on her brush.

“Leslie he started fixing it up when he retired, which was like a year before Nick and I got together. He keeps telling my Mom it’s a work in progress.”

“I bet she loves that,” Leslie commented on through a mouthful of toothpaste. “She actually doesn’t care because it keeps him out of the house most of the day,” Adie laughed.

“So when you and Nick have retired are you going to banish him to the studio?” Leslie asked with a laugh.

“Yeah, hopefully by that stage I’ll be partially deaf though because he sure likes to thrash the drums.”

“Dude you should have seen the manky blister he had on his hand from where he had been playing so much the last time I saw him. I swear I made put on a band aid before I would let him give me away,” She said with a grin.

“He gave you away?” Adie as slightly shocked at Leslie’s revelation. She nodded,

“He was great Adie. Mike and I barely have two cents to rub together at the moment, we were going to wait a couple of years but we were down in Nashville and out of the blue he pulled me aside and kind of had on of those brotherly sisterly heart to hearts. He asked me if I was completely sure if marrying him was what I wanted and I told him I’d marry Mike tomorrow if I could and in true Nick style he turned around and told me I don’t know about tomorrow but I’m sure we could do it before you leave.”

Adie smiled as she leant against the counter and let Leslie continue.

“It wasn’t a huge wedding, but I didn’t want a huge wedding. Literally there was Mike and Me, Nick, Angel, Aaron, and Beej and Mike’s Brother and Sister. There was only one person I missed that day.”

“Your Mom?” Adie asked knowingly but was slightly surprised when Leslie shook her head no.

“You were the person I missed,” She told Adie softly.

It took Adie a second to swallow the lump in her throat before she answered, “Liar.”

“I already see you as my sister, I’ve seen you as my sister since we did the show and I know one day you really will be,” Leslie told her quietly making Adie scoff slightly. “He’ll ask you Adie, I am one hundred percent sure that at some point, he will ask you and we all know that you are going to say yes.”

“What makes you so sure Les?” Adie asked out of cursioty as she bit her bottom lip.

 “Because I know that you were the only person on his mind the day I got married, you were all he was thinking about. You’ve just got to be patient I guess,” she shrugged.

Adie was just about to answer when there was a bang at the door and Aaron yelling through, “Seriosuly Adie what the hell are you doing in there?!”

Adie chuckled as she gathered her things into her toiletry bag and then opened the door to Aaron.

“Dude seriously what were you doing in there?” He asked, exacerbated.

“Brushing my teeth Nosey. You’re still going to have to wait though,” she told as he went to push past her to gain access.

“Why?” he asked.

“Cause I’m in here bitch!” Leslie called from inside the bathroom.

“You’re such a traitor Adrianna!” He sneered jokingly.

“And you are a spoilt brat Aaron Charles!” She joked back before walking past him and down the hall to the guest room where she and Nick were staying.

“You just wait, there is a huge snowball out there with your name on it!”

“Just bring it on!” She told him as she opened the door with a chuckle making Nick look up to her from the book that he was reading.

“What was that all about?” He asked in reference to Aaron calling after her, his gaze following her as she routed around in her bag for something.

“I kinda let Leslie queue jump for the bathroom,” she shrugged with a little laugh.

“Definitely watch out for the snow balls, especially from him, punk forgets that when he takes huge chunks he gets the ground underneath with stones in. This scar right here,” he said pointing to one just off his left eyebrow, “Idiot threw a snowball with about a million bits of rock in it, fucking bleed for ages.”

“Aww poor baby, don’t worry as long as your Grandpa has some needle and thread I can sew you back together if it happens again,” she said as she climbed into bed next to him.

“I think I’ll take my chances at the local ER thanks,” He deadpanned.

“Hey I stitched you up good last time, you can barely see the scar,” She defended.

“Yeah but I can’t really remember any of that,” He said as he moved his arm to wrap around her when she snuggled into his chest.

“Hmmm I wonder why that was?” She asked jokingly, moving quickly when her cell phone beeped signalling she had a message.

Adie was slightly disappointed when it was from her Mom checking that they had all made it to Jamestown safely, she had been hoping that it might be from Rachel, she obviously hadn’t hidden the disappointment well if Nick’s next question was anything to go by.

“Not Rache huh?”

“No,” she replied dejectedly.

“Give her time Babe. If Alex and me have learnt anything it’s that you Jones girls can’t be rushed into anything,” He said with a laugh when she threw him a look.

“Whatever,” she semi huffed, as she made herself comfortable with her head on his chest once more.

“I’m just telling the truth,” He laughed as he trailed his hand up and down her shoulder whilst bringing the book into his eye line again with the other hand.

Adie placed a kiss to his bare chest before closing her eyes and mumbling, “Rachel not a Jones anyway, she’s a Mclean. Speaking of which, why didn’t you tell me Leslie and Mike got married?”

The curiosity had been getting the better of her ever since she had learnt of the nuptials but what with Nick’s incessant whining that he was cold and wanted to get the bags in, followed by meeting his Grandpa and Step Grandmother, she hadn’t had the chance to ask.

Forgot I guess,” He said softly, so softly that she knew he was know back to reading his book. It was a lame excuse, how could he have just forgotten something like that? Something that had played a major role in? Yet for some reason she decided to let it go, she knew that in time he would eventually open up to her about it and for some reason his reluctance to talk about it gave her hope that what Leslie had said was actually true.

“What are you reading?” She asked.

“Power of positive thinking,” He reeled off quickly, his hand still absent mindedly drawing patters over her shoulder.

“Haven’t you already read that?” She asked as she entangled one of her legs with his.

“That was a different one, he’s written more the one book you know.”

“I was just asking,” She said as she closed her eyes and tried to drift off to sleep.

The light and page turning, however made it difficult to shut off and after ten minutes she sat up slowly and smiled at him.

“Just let me finish this page,” he said without even looking up from the book.

“Thanks Baby. Love ya,” she said as she snuggled back down on to him.

“Ditto,” he yawned as he placed the book on the side and turned out the light plunging the room into darkness.

***

Adie woke the next morning to someone calling her name and lightly shaking her, that person however was not Nick and when she sat up and looked around at the unfamiliar surroundings she was slightly confused.

“That face is far too serious in the morning,” Leslie laughed.

“Sorry I’ve done so much travelling this past couple of weeks it takes me a while to figure out where I am,” She yawned.

“Well if you need some help, you’re in New York and it’s friggin freezing and breakfast is ready.”

“Where’s your brother?” Adie asked trying to rub the sleepiness from her eyes.

“Ass face or Shit head?” Leslie joked.

Adie smiled as she asked, “Whose who?”

“It changes on a daily basis. Nick’s gone to pick up Angel and Colin from the airport, they should be back soon though. Mom’s made pancakes, they’re warm and waiting,” Leslie said as she pulled Adie by both hands so that she was off the bed.

“Time is it?” Adie asked through another yawn. “Almost ten,” Leslie replied.

“Why did you let me sleep in so late?” Adie semi snapped but before Leslie could answer she continued. “I made a bad enough impression last night.”

“How did you make a bad impression?” Leslie asked.

“Ohh I don’t know maybe by calling her Mrs Carter,” Adie cringed, grabbing Nick’s hoodie of the chair in the corner of the room when she felt the cool air hit her arms.

“That’s like two marriages ago,” Leslie laughed.

“Yeah and I know that, that's like boyfriends Mom Trivia 101 and I failed big time. She’s already got enough ammunition to hate me with the stuff I did to Nick this year anyway.”

“Oh stop it, if she hated you you’d know about it. C’mon don’t waste her pancakes,” Leslie said as she pulled Adie out of the room by her hand and led her down the stairs.

The kitchen was full of activity by the time they made it down the stairs and at first Adie was embarrassed about making an appearance in her Pyjamas, Nick’s hoodie hanging almost at her knees, her hair un-brushed but once she made it in she soon realised she would have been overdressed if she had decided to get changed. Everyone else seemed to be slumming it in their night attire as well and it seemed to be the topic of conversation.

She slipped into the kitchen practically unnoticed or so she thought until Doug pointed to her and told Aaron, “See that’s how you dress here. Now stop whining your cold, you wouldn’t be if you bought some appropriate clothing with you.”

“You’re such a traitor again Adie,” Aaron joked, “You’re from Nashville, you’re not supposed to know what to wear here.”

“Morning Adie,” Jane smiled as she passed her a plate of pancakes, when Adie had taken a seat next to Mike at the table.

“Morning and thanks,” She smiled back before she addressed Aaron, “You seem to forget I lived in England for four years, it gets cold there too you know.”

“You lived in England?” Greg, Jane’s new husband, asked.

Adie nodded as she had just taken a bite of her pancake. Swallowing it as quickly as she could she filled him in, “I did my nurse training over there, lived in London for four years, three years of training and one year of working. Came back because my Dad had a heart attack.”

“Was he okay?” Greg asked.

“Yeah fine, so fine he had another one two weeks ago, he likes to keep us on our toes,” She semi laughed as she looked down at her plate, the guilt of her actions about how she handled the situation bubbling to the surface. Instead of her being there to support him through a difficult time in his life, she had again made it all about her, Jane talking snapped her from her thoughts.

“Nick said he’s doing okay though.”

“Yeah. Yeah he is, he’s home probably driving my Mom made with trying to do stuff he shouldn’t,” she smiled. “I should give him a call later.”

The conversation steered on to learning more about her, the banter flowing freely as Aaron tried his best at adding in stories that were semi embarrassing but Adie didn’t care because the more the conversation flowed the more comfortable she became with the family. It was quite clear where Nick and Aaron got their sense of humour from, Doug was a fire cracker, his witty one liners making Adie almost cry with laughter and remind her so much of the blonde that she knew so well.

Another trait Nick had obviously inherited from his grandfather showing through only moments later when Jane sat down, a noise resembling that of a whoopee cushion coming from her direction, making everyone laugh.

“Oh very funny Dad,” she said rolling her eyes, when Doug waved the remote control at her, but she did see the funny side, a small laugh escaping her lips.

“Thanks Aaron, a whoopee cushion for the digital age is much better then the old ones, no one sees it coming,” Doug laughed.

“I suppose your used to all this,” Jane asked knowingly looking in Adie’s direction.

“Oh yeah,” She nodded. “It’s worse when he’s around Brian.”

“Did he crap in a sock again?” Aaron asked through laughter, making Jane grimace.

“I think I would loose all respect for him if he did it again at his age,” Adie laughed.

The light small talk and fun banter was quickly snatched away, when an icy voice spoke from the doorway all eyes quickly snapped in that direction, the room becoming eerily quiet. Her eyes were dark and small, her words chosen carefully and spoken low and bitterly and instantly Adie knew she was about to see her second Carter blow out, she only prayed it wouldn’t get as out of hand as it had when Aaron had tried to leave San Francisco.

“Doesn’t seem like you have any respect for him anyway. What the hell is she doing here Nick?” Angel spat.

End Notes:

Please let me know what you think!

The Lovers Are Losing by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:
O Lordy! Yes I am still alive people! Sorry it has taken so long. I am going to use life as my excuse! LOL! Here's the next chapter.

The room had fallen into an uncomfortable silence since Angel had spoken her icy words not seconds before, the laughter had been completely sucked from the room and when Angel’s cold penetrating stare became too much for Adie she looked down to her pancakes. She knew that it was going to happen at one point or another, she knew that the whole topic of the way she had been towards Nick for the latter part of the year would have to be discussed and she knew that someone was going to be pissed off at her about it, yet she had expected Jane to be the volatile one.

Adie knew it was wrong to think like that, it was the one thing she had been hoping no one would do to her, pre conceived concepts about people you hadn’t even met were so wrong most of the time. After all she had been pleasantly surprised at how welcoming Jane and the rest of Nick’s family for that matter, had been towards her yet it had still been difficult to forget all the things she had heard about Jane and her attitudes and ideas about Nick’s previous girlfriends. The hostile attitude she had expected from Jane, that’s why it was like a punch in the gut when Angel had been he one to hiss at her brother about her attendance.

“Well? I’m waiting for an answer?” Angel spat but instead of hearing Nick’s voice, Adie was surprised by who spoke out.

“She’s here because she’s family Angel,” Aaron said and Adie threw his an appreciative smile when she glanced over to him. That was a smile that soon faded with Angel’s next comment.

“Family?! You’re kidding right?” She sarcastically laughed.

“Angel-” Jane tried to interject.

“Stay out of this Mom. You have no idea how she’s treated Nick, you’ve known her all of five minutes.”

“What the hell is your problem Angel?” Aaron almost yelled as she stood from his seat.

Adie took this time to glance at Nick, he looked just as shell shocked and embarrassed as she did, yet it was amazing that how with one look they could share a whole conversation. He looked apologetic, she felt like she should leave and it wasn’t until the arguing between Aaron and Angel escalated to a point where she thought Aaron might actually throw the plate of pancakes at his sister did Adie break Nick’s gaze.

“You know what Ang, screw you. Thanks for ruining what was supposed to be a great week,” Aaron yelled as he strode from the room.

“I wasn’t the one that bought the lying tramp with me!” She yelled after him and just as Adie was going to stand up and defend herself Nick spoke up.

Adie had only ever seen him that mad less than a handful of times. His eyes narrowed and darkened, his hands clenched into fists and he yelled, “DON’T YOU DARE CALL HER THAT!”

What ensued next was the biggest Carter argument she had seen to date. The more Angel would shout the louder Nick would become, the more one invaded the others space the more the other would intrude and when Leslie stood up to break the two up she looked across the kitchen table to Mike who shared her feelings of unease if the panicked look on his face was anything to go by. Although Leslies intensions were good, she shared Nick’s quick temper and it wasn’t long before it was two against one and Adie actually felt quite sorry for Angel.

Maybe it would have been better for her not to come? Maybe she should have just stayed at home and let Nick have this time alone with his family? The increasing number of argumentative voices were starting to give her a headache and when Jane started to argue with her daughter was when Adie felt so uncomfortable she had to leave. This family had problems enough, she didn’t want to be the cause of Angel estranging herself from the family when things were finally starting to improve between them all. She also wanted to check on Aaron because she had promised him, along with Nick that this was going to be a good trip but as she stood up to leave one person noticed and called her out on it as she was halfway through the door.

“People don’t change Nick. I mean you’re a cheater right? You’ve cheated on Adie. She’s a coward cause she runs away, I mean she’s doing it right now,” Angel snidely remarked.

That was the final straw for Adie, her back stiffened as she turned and told Angel very calmly, “Guess the saying a leopard never changes their spots is true, I mean people warned me about what a bitch you could be and now I finally see what they mean. Oh and I’m not running, I’m going to check on your other brother.”

Adie quickly turned on her heel, her heart beating rapidly in her chest as she tried to control the shaking in her hands and when she left the room she heard the small snigger that escaped Leslie’s mouth as Angel’s tirade continued. Had she really just said that? Was there any reason to stoop to Angel’s level? Maybe that was what she needed, someone to stick up to her because Adie had made a promise to Nick and she sure as hell wasn’t going to let Angel come between them, not after all they had been through. She took a deep breath in and made her way up the stairs knocking lightly on the door to the room that Aaron was staying in, pushing it open when she heard him say it was okay for her to come in. She was surprised at how dressed he was, and when she watched him pull on the oversized woolly hat and pair of gloves she realised what he was doing, she was just about to say something when she heard another voice from within the room and it wasn’t until that moment she realised that Colin hadn’t even made it into the kitchen before Angel had started.

“Dude, just chill for a second,” He said to Aaron who was furiously ramming his wallet into his coat pocket.

“No I’ve got to get out of here.”

“Aaron,” Adie said grabbing his attention, “I’m sorry.”

“It’s not your fault Adie.”

“He’s right Adie it’s not your fault,” Colin said, throwing her a small smile.

“You sure it’s okay for you to talk to me?” She half joked with a smile of her own.

“She has to be nice to me, I’m the one with the tickets to get home. It’s good to see you.”

She sarcastically laughed before she said, “I think you’re the only one who is happy to see me.”

“Hey I was happy to see you,” Aaron interjected.

“Yeah that was two days ago. I bet today your thinking why did Nick bring her along?” Aaron considered what she said for a moment before he spoke again.

“If it wasn’t for you Adie we wouldn’t be here. If you hadn’t left, Nick would have never gone down to the Keys, if you hadn’t have lost Molly he would never have realised how stupid it was to stay away from Mom. If it hadn’t of been for you the next time we would have all been together as a family would have probably been at Gramps funeral or something. Everything happens for a reason, Angel’s just testing you right now,” he told her.

“When did you get so smart Aaron?” She asked with a small, emotional smile.

“Someone in this family has to be,” he only half joked, making both her and Colin laugh.

“So where are you going?” She asked.

“For a walk,” he shrugged.

“Can you give me five minutes to get dressed so I can come with you?” She asked.

“No offence but I just want to be by myself for a couple of hours. I just need to walk away and clear my head before I say something to her I don’t mean.”

“That’s fine, you got your cell phone on you?” She asked.

“Yes Mom!” He exclaimed with a small smile.

“Hey it’s icy out there, you could fall and break your hip.”

“I’m twenty one Aide, not one hundred and twenty one!”

“Just be careful is all I’m saying,” She told him.

He smiled as he got up and left the room, leaving Colin and Adie alone , she was just about to say something to him when she heard a knock at the door.

“Come in,” she called, smiling when she saw Doug.

“Just came to check on you and Aaron,” He smiled as he took a seat on the un made bed.

“He’s gone for a walk,” Colin offered.

“You must be Colin, it’s nice to meet you,” Doug said holding out a hand so it could be shook.

“Nice to meet you too. Arguing still going on down there?” he asked.

“I’m taking bets on how long it will last,” Doug joked.

“Well I bet Nick will be the first to break something, Leslie will be the first to cry and Angel will be the first to stalk off,” Adie offered, hoping that Doug would see the funny side, a small sigh of relief escaping her lips when he laughed.

“So you’ve witnessed more then one of their fights huh?”

“I was there for five days when they were doing the show, it really wasn’t pretty,” she said before turning to Colin, “You know if you leave now, she’ll never know you were talking to me, might save another argument.”

Colin threw her a big smile and with a shake of his head made his way towards the door but before he crossed the threshold he turned to her, “I’m not leaving because of that. I can speak to whomever I choose I just really need to pee.”

“Thanks for sharing Colin.”

“Come talk to me later,” He said with a small smile.

“What secrets signal should I send you?” Adie joked.

“What about coo-coo meet me in the kitchen.”

“Yeah I don’t think that would actually be that secret Colin.” He laughed and Adie watched as he walked through the door and out into the hallway.

She had only met Colin a handful of times but she had instantly liked him, she had been the one to get Nick to chill out when he found out about the age difference between his sister and him, hell she had been the one to get him to chill when he found out the age difference between Leslie and Mike. They were two great guys, very relaxed and chilled, letting arguments and catty comments wash over them like water of a ducks back, and Adie wished that she could be more like that. Then again maybe she was becoming more like that because a few months ago she probably would have been packing her bags if she had been in this type of situation.

“Are you okay?” Doug asked as he sat down on the bed.

“I’m glad I’ve started to grow my thicker skin,” Adie told him as she leant against the desk.

“Just take what she says with a pinch of salt Adrianna, Angels always been protective of Nick and Aaron.”

“She is kind of right in what she’s saying because I did treat him really badly,” she said breaking Doug’s gaze as she looked to the floor.

“That’s between you and him though. It’s Nick’s choice as to whom he wants to be with and for one reason or another he’s chosen you and you wouldn’t be here if you hadn’t have chosen him too. Life isn’t easy at all, but after all you two have been through you’re not really going to let a brat like Angel come between you are you?” He asked and when she looked up to the expression on his face she le out a small laugh before answering.

“God no. I just don’t want to come between him and his family, family is important.”

“Family is important and I don’t want you to think for one second that you have come between him and us because it’s exactly the opposite. You may not have been the one to push him to go and talk with Jane but meeting you was the catalyst for a lot of events that led to him speaking to his Mom again. Do you know when the last time I saw Nick was?” Doug asked.

She shook her head.

“Two thousand and Two.”

“That’s like six years ago,” Adie said slightly shocked at how long it had been.

“Yeah,” Doug nodded, “It wasn’t just because of the physical changes that he’s made that almost caused me to not recognise him yesterday, he’s always been…”

“Childish?” Adie filled in, making Doug smile.

“I was going to say young at heart but you kind of hit the nail on the head. I think stems from working from such a young age and I’m not saying that it was wrong for him to do that, he’s seen a lot more of the world then I ever have or will, but I think it made him loose sight of what was important for a while. I think this year has made him grow up a hell of a lot, I think I’ve heard more from him in this past two months then I did over six years.”

Adie considered him for a moment. Nick had really grown up this past year, he had been practically unrecognisable on the trip home, she had seen small hints of him two days ago but he was still withdrawn into himself and she knew the whole breakthrough and opening up when they had been travelling was really only the tip of the iceberg. She knew she had to be patient with him, she knew it had to be up to him to open up more but in reality all she wanted to do was get back to how they used to be, yet she was unsure if they ever would again because too much had happened.

“How do you sustain being with someone and still being happy in fifty years?” She asked softly, not knowing if she wanted the answer.

“You understand that you can’t be happy every single day. You make allowances for arguments, you shout, you cry but what I’ve learnt is you never drag an argument into the following day, you can always start a fresh one in the morning,” He joked.

“Do you think we’re going to make it?” She asked.

Doug smiled widely as he nodded his head, “Absolutely. Can you honestly imagine your life without him in it?”

“No. Three months without him was hell and that was my own fault.”

“It’s in the past now, you have to look to the future. This whole thing with Angel will blow over, she’s always been protective of Nick and of Aaron. She means well but it doesn’t always come across that way,” Doug reassured.

“I didn’t mean what I said about her earlier because I think she’s an absolute sweetheart, I was just defending myself.” It was true too, Adie had always gotten on with Angel, she knew the whole reason for the argument downstairs was just because she was sick of seeing her Brothers get used and hurt but it didn’t make it any easier.

“And that’s completely fine, she can’t expect to come here and throw a load of insults and not get hit by some herself.”

Adie was about to say something when she heard the front door slam and the faint voices they had been able to hear earlier had stopped.

“Guess Angel’s had enough,” Doug said.

Adie got up and looked out of the window and Doug was right, Angel was stalking off across the street, Colin following quickly behind but when she heard his voice she turned.

“Hey, you okay?” He asked as he leant against the door frame.

“Shouldn’t I be asking you that?” Adie asked as she made her way towards him, taking his hands in hers, studying them intently, “Any breaks or cuts?”

“Nope no breaks or cuts,” he sighed, “Just pain in my ass known as my sister. You can tell me Gramps, she’s really adopted isn’t she? Or at least I am?”

“She’ll come round. You know what she’s like,” Doug said as she stood up from the bed and rested his weight on his walking stick.

“Yeah a pain in the ass,” Nick grumbled again.

“She was just looking out for you,” Adie told him.

“Hmm can we not talk about it?” He semi snapped with a small sigh.

“Okay if that’s what you want, I’m going to take a shower and get dressed,” she said as she left the room, thanking Doug for their talk, it felt good to know that there was another member of Nick’s family on her side. Then again, she thought to herself as she walked into the bathroom after collecting her toiletry bag for the room the Nick and her were sharing, it wasn’t about taking sides. It should never be about taking sides, people should be able to respect one another enough to respect the decisions that they make. Maybe if she had realised that sooner then this whole mess could have been avoided, then again life would be very boring without a bit of drama in it.

She let her mind wander as she tried to relax her body under the warm stream of water but her mind could just not shut off from all the people who were currently made her, important people in her life her were no longer talking to her. She still hadn’t heard from Rachel, and now Angel wasn’t talking to her and she didn’t know what she could do to make it right. She had tried to apologise but Adie knew that words were not ever going to be enough to fix the rift between her and Rachel, and Angel reminded Adie so much of her own sister it was scary. Yet she wanted to put what Doug had said about not carrying an argument into the next day into practice, although her own spin was slightly different because with the new year on the horizon she didn’t want to drag all the baggage from this year into the next new one.

She rinsed the shampoo out of her hair and squirted the conditioner into her hands before she smoothed it through her hair, inhaling the coconut scent she had smelt in Nick’s last night. He was quite clearly pissed off with Angel and if there was one thing she knew Carters could do well was carry that on, she just hoped that it wouldn’t carry on for the rest of the week because it was going to drag by very slowly if nobody was willing to talk to each other.

When she finished her shower she wrapped herself in the large cream towel and made her way out of the bathroom, heading towards the room that Leslie and Mike were staying in so she could borrow a hairdryer if Leslie had packed one. Mike was the one to open the door when she knocked.

“Did Les pack a hairdryer by any chance?” She asked.

“Adie it’s Les she packed the kitchen sink,” he joked.

“Shut up Mike, you can come in Adie,” She heard Leslie call from inside the room and when Mike opened the door wider she made her way in noticing Leslie sat on the bed reading a magazine.

“I knew I could count on you Les,” Adie joked.

“Surprising with a last name like Carter isn’t it?” She asked.

“Ahh but you’re not now though are you?” Adie reminded as she took the hairdryer Mike passed to her smile of thanks crossing her lips.

“Yeah, maybe that’s why I’m not such a bitch.”

“Hey, she’s still your sister,” Adie reminded.

“No right to talk to you like that though,” Leslie huffed.

“Leslie I’m not surprised okay, I knew someone was going to have an issue with me being here. She’s doing exactly what family should do, she’s closing ranks because her big brother has been hurt, he’s been hurt loads in the past and I did it to him again and she didn’t like it. She would do exactly the same to Mike if he hurt you, just like I will kick his ass if he hurts you and then you’ve got Nick and Aaron to get through as well Mike, so it’s in your best interests to not hurt her,” Adie said as she turned to Mike.

Mike laughed before replying, “Trust me Adie, Nick had a whole conversation about what to expect if I ever hurt his sister.”

“Okay now I have visions of Nick being like Ross Geller in that episode of friends, could you keep a straight face?” She asked with a laugh making Leslie smile.

“Just about.”

“See Les and you know if Colin was to hurt Angel you would so be there. And as much as I’m grateful for you sticking up for me I don’t want to come between you and Angel because you guys have come so far in getting to know each other again since the show. I need to fight my own battles with her, I need to make her see that I’m not going to treat Nick the way I have again. I just kind of need to work out how I’m going to do it,” Adie said.

“Is Nick okay?” Leslie asked.

“He’s pissed off which is cool, I’m used to pissed off Nick at the moment. Now I hear there are some cool slopes around here or something. I can’t ski or snowboard to save my life I plan on sitting on my ass and sliding down them,” Adie joked.

“There’s tyre runs, much better then boarding,” Leslie offered.

“Good. I’m going to get dressed but I’ll see you later.”

Adie make her way back to the room that she and Nick were sharing, throwing him a small smile when he looked up from the book that he was reading.

“You were ages,” he noted.

“I went to speak to Leslie,” she said as she placed the hairdryer on the bed before she routed around in her toiletry bag and put some deodorant on.

“She stuck up for you too. The only person that’s pissed off about you being here is Angel but she’s just acting like a spoilt brat so forget her,” Nick replied bitterly.

Adie sat down on the bed next to him and studied him for a minute before she spoke her next words.

“Am I really worth all this trouble Nicky?”

He put his book down on the nightstand before he turned and looked at her and after a few seconds he placed both his hands so he could cup her face before he leant in for a kiss. It wasn’t passionate, it wasn’t breath taking, but it was full of love, full of reassurance and when it was over Adie already knew his answer before he said it.

“I love you so yes you are worth it. It’s like Gramps said, she’ll come round, she’s just testing you right now. She needs to get used to it because I’m not letting you go again.”

“Good,” she told him with a smile, as she pulled away from him, noticing his pout, “I have to get dressed I’m cold.”

She walked over to her bag and pulled out her outfit pulling on the items as Nick spoke to her from his place on the bed.

“Mom invited us to hers for Christmas but I figured we’d be spending it at your folks this year.”

“No we’re not. To be honest I really don’t feel like celebrating Christmas this year.”

“You love Christmas, you get excited at like August time for Christmas,” Nick reminded.

“Not this year,” Adie said solemnly as she took the towel of her head and started to roughly dry her hair with it. It didn’t last long because Nick yanked the towel away from here.

“What are you doing?”

“I figured you would want to spend it with your family because it’s Max’s first Christmas.”

“That’s precisely the reason I don’t want to spend it with them, because it would have been Molly’s first Christmas too,” She reminded. He was silent for a moment and Adie thought the subject would be dropped and forgotten about so she was disappointed when he continued.

“All of Max’s first things are going to be what Molly’s firsts would have been, he’s your nephew Adie you can’t avoid him forever.”

“Yeah and I know that. It’s not just about that, Rachel’s still pissed off at me and I know I’m not going to be in a great mood, I don’t everybody’s memories of Max’s first Christmas to be ruined by me and I don’t want to ruin your Mom’s and Greg’s Christmas it’s not fair,” she told him as she pulled the towel back from him.

“But its okay to ruin mine?” He asked childishly.

“Oh come on, the Christmas before we got together how did you spend it?” She asked but he kept silent. “You and Chris spent the day getting wasted. Look if you want to spend Christmas with my folks or with your Mom, I’m not going to stop you, I just can’t do it.”

“So what you’re going to spend the day at home by yourself? I suppose you're going to spring on me that you’ve offered to work it next aren’t you?” he snapped.

“Nick I haven’t even thought about going back to work,” Adie told him softly, hurt at the accusation.

“I find that hard to believe.” He sneered.

“Why do you find it so hard to understand where I’m coming from?” She asked.

“Because you are doing what you do best Adie, you’re running when things get tough.”

“If I was still running Nick I would have been on a flight home by now. I’m here and I’m meeting a lot of your family for the first time and everybody knows the only reason this isn’t the lovely reunion it should be is because of me. So please show me a little respect and don’t accuse me of running when things get tough,” she said as she picked up the hair dryer and switched it on so she could dry her hair, turning her back to him.

She watched him through the mirror as he angrily picked up his book and continued to read as she dried her hair off and hoped that five minutes of silence would break him from his crappy mood. She couldn’t do it, she couldn’t be there to watch Max open his presents, to look in awe at the Christmas lights, he would be six months when Christmas day hit, probably smiling and laughing, she couldn’t sit there with a sombre face whilst people walked on egg shells around her, it just wouldn’t be fair.

She flicked off the hairdryer but managed to cut in before he could say anything.

“Look before you say anything, we both promised Aaron that we wouldn’t fight on this trip, obviously Angel didn’t get that memo but the least we can do is limit it at that one. So can we just put this aside until we get home please?” She asked.

“Looks like we’ve got a big fight when we get back then doesn’t it? I mean we’re already storing up quite a few topics to fight about, where you work, how we’re going to spend Christmas,” he reeled off.

“Don’t forget you and your attitude problem when you don’t get your own way!” She threw back as she placed her hands on her hips in a vain attempt to try and make herself look bigger. What happened next she completely was not expecting, because instead of Nick yelling something else at her, he burst out laughing.

“What? What’s funny?”

“It’s just,” he chuckled, “The whole stare down pissed off look you have right now. That look right there, it’s the first look you ever gave me and I still love it.”

“Screw you Nick,” She said still semi angry from the fight they had just been having.

“Can you? Please? It’s been a while,” He said as he moved up the bed and walked up wrapping his arms around her shoulders from behind. “Remember how good it is after a fight?”

Adie relaxed back against him, a small sigh escaping her lips as his own trailed down her neck. That right there, she missed that, she missed feeling his breath on her, the softness of his fingertips as they stroked up and down her arms, the complete feeling of being safe whenever he wrapped her in his strong arms. She could feel herself giving in, until she heard the front door below slap shut and Doug yell something at Aaron about closing it more quietly.

“We can’t,” she mumbled, moving away from his lips.

“Yes we can,” he said as he moved closer again.

“You’re entire family is in this house,” she tried to reminded but she felt him shake his head.

“Beej isn’t here, Angel’s not back yet and my Dad defently won’t be here,” he said between kisses.

“Don’t get smart with me Carter,” she said as she pulled away completely making him pout. “When we get home I promise.”

“Great another five days,” he said as he sat back down on the bed.

“Think how good it’s going to be, we can be as loud as we want,” she said wiggling her eyebrows at him as she routed around in her bag pulling out the two pill containers, popping one from each in her mouth.

“What are you taking?” He asked.

“Aspirin, which I think as I’m taking one every day, I should take a stock in, that’s never going to crash is it?” She said making a light hearted joke about the Hughes syndrome she had been diagnosed with.

“So what was the other one?” He asked.

“The pill,” she shrugged.

“As in contraceptive pill?” He asked and she nodded, watching the emotion on his face change, the anger flooding back quickly.

“We’re you just not going to tell me?”

“What?” She asked confused.

“I thought we were going to try again?” He asked.

“Maybe. In a couple of years or something,” she said instantly knowing that the fight before had just been a warm up compared to what this one was likely to turn into.

“A couple of years? I can’t believe this, I thought you of all people would want to try again straight away. We were happy, when you were pregnant we were good, I was excited about becoming a Dad, I want to feel like that again,” he said as she stood from the bed.

“Eight months ago you were accusing me of trying to trap you by getting pregnant behind your back, and now your pissed off me at for not wanting to get pregnant three months after we’ve just buried our daughter. Having another baby isn’t going to fix things Nick, it’s not going to make us communicate better. You said to me on that first night back in Nashville, the reason we lost Molly was because we weren’t ready for her, so how are we ready for another one now?” She asked trying to make him see that he was being slightly hypocritical.

“It’s not about that, it’s about you lying to me about taking it,” he said the volume of his voice increasing.

“I never lied to you about it. This is first time you asked about it, it’s not something you just throw in general conversation, oh by the way don’t worry we’re covered I’m on the pill. Why are you so upset about this? You weren’t even sure you wanted to be with me five days ago,” she reminded but it was like he wasn’t even listening to her.

“So because you’re not ready it means I have to wait? How is that fair?”

It was like de ja vu only the roles had been reversed because at the beginning of the year it had been her saying those words, it had been her having to wait around for him to be ready.

“Did you just hear what you said?” She asked. He didn’t answer, just stood and stared at her. “Those were the same things I was asking you not too long ago. We’re going round in circles Nick and it has to stop, we need to get better at talking, about understanding where the other is coming from. There is still a lot of anger and frustration in each of us that needs to come out before we have a family, we need to break this cycle,” she said as she made her way towards him but it was obvious he was past the point of understanding, because he stalked right passed her.

“I’ll gladly break the cycle for you, because I’m out of here.”

“Nick!” She called after him but it was no good and she watched him retreat down the stairs and when the front door slammed again, she wiped the tear that had escaped away.

End Notes:
Please let me know what you think as I am having difficulty in feeling inspired to cary on.
Beautifully Broken by Tantilisinteaser
Author's Notes:
Yes I am still alive! Sorry it has taken me so long to post a new chapter but I have just completed my dissertation! I am aiming to get this story completed by the end of the year and I am hoping to udapte at least once a month now.

Thanks for being patient guys. Hope you enjoy it!
Adie heard him yell at his Mother in the hallway as she herself sat down on the bed, she heard his thunderous footsteps hammer down the stairs at such speed it made her worry he had fallen down them but then she heard the front door slam with such force it made the bedroom window rattle. Adie craned her neck so she could look out of the window just in time to see Nick stride across the street in just a t-shirt and jeans, with the freezing temperature outside it wouldn’t take him long to regret his decision.

“Stupid asshole,” she muttered to herself as she wiped her eyes, her back semi stiffening when she heard a voice from the doorway.

“If I said he gets all that from his Father I’d be lying.”

Adie turned slowly, resting her head on her left hand when she spotted Jane.

“I must be making such a good first impression on you,” she said sarcastically, relaxing a little when Jane smiled and made her way into the room.

“I don’t care much for first thoughts or impressions, they are always generally wrong.”

“Thank God for that,” Adie chuckled slightly before bursting into tears, covering her face with her hands as she sat down on the bed. “Sorry,” She mumbled as she felt the bed dip underneath Jane’s weight as she to sat down on the bed.

“Don’t be. It’s been a rough year huh?” She asked.

Adie chuckled again as she wiped the tears from her eyes, “You could say that. Is it wrong to want this year to be over with already?”

“Not at all.”

“I feel like I’m completely ruining this week for everybody,” Adie vocalised as she looked to Jane who gave her a reassuring smile.

“Adie trust me we would have found something else to argue about. For what it’s worth I think you’re very brave for coming up here I think after the year you’ve had if it were me, I’d want to stay under the covers and never come out,” Jane told her.

“That’s more of a bad Molly day, today is more a bad Nick and Adie day,” she replied softly.

“So what happens on those days?” Jane asked.

“Usually one of us wanting to strangle the other, today it’s Nick’s turn to want to strangle me.”

“I don’t think it would take a lot for him to want to strangle anybody today, especially his sister. I’m kind of hoping they don’t run into each other out there because it will not be pretty,” Jane laughed.

“Nick will probably freeze to death before he reaches the end of the road anyway,” Adie said shaking her head.

“He won’t come back to get a coat though, he’d rather sit in the cold and freeze. I can safely say he gets his stubbornness from his Father.”

“I really love him you know,” Adie threw out randomly as she brushed a stray tear from her cheek.

“I can see that,” Jane softly replied throwing Adie a small smile. “He really loves you too, unfortunately this is just what he does to protect himself. He distances himself, he lets things brew and then he lashes out in an argument before he thinks. I’m particially to blame for that, I lost sight of what was important for a long time Adie and for a while I thought Nick had too. Watching him on the show, seeing how he bought everybody together made me see that he did know what was important, it made me realise what a mess my life actually was. When he turned up at my door he was the last person I ever expected to see. I know how much he loves you because he told me you were the one to make him see what a mess his life was, he wanted to make a change so that he could be better for you, so that he wouldn’t loose you.”

Adie took a shaky breath, wiping at her eyes before saying, “He didn’t need to be better for me. I need to be better for him, you don’t walk away from someone you love, from the only person who knows how you feel and can relate to hurt that you feel everyday.”

“Nobody’s perfect. Everybody has their own issues its what makes us all human. You guys have the upper hand though because you both know what those issues are, you just need to talk them out, work on them.”

“We don’t seem to be talking them out as much as we are arguing them out,” Adie sighed as her gaze fell back out of the window.

“I think that’s quite normal too. I think you’re giving yourself too much of a hard time, I mean how long has it been since you got back from Nepal?” Jane asked.

“A week, god that seems like a lifetime ago,” Adie replied with a shake of her head.

“See, you’re not ever going to be able to sort through everything in a week, things like this take time, a lifetime. Add the fact that neither of you are in the privacy of your own home, you’ve got the rest of this crazy family to contend with as well,” Jane joked which made a small laugh escape Adie’s lips. “You just have to remember what’s important to you. I have a list that I keep in my wallet that I get out when I’m having a tough day, top thing on my list is my kids. You two will get through this, you’re already halfway there because you’re together,” Jane said giving Adie’s knee a reassuring pat before she stood from the bed and made her way to the door.

“Thanks Jane,” Adie smiled to her.
“You’re welcome.”

***

What an amazing week this was turning out to be. Weren’t reunions meant to be tearful? Full of emotion? Full of love? To Nick it was just how his life was, a mess. A complete mess and no matter how hard he tried he just couldn’t seem to sort it out. It was at times like these when he would happily give up the fame and fortune in favour of an uncomplicated life. Then again if he never had this life and the mess that went with it the guys who were more like brothers wouldn’t be in his life and even though at that minute, Adie was the cause of his anger, it was his job, a fight with his big brother, that had led to their meeting.

It wasn’t until he got to the end of the road that he actually realised how cold it was, but even with a shiver he didn’t turn back, his stubbornness reigning through and he continued on to the one place he remembered how to get to in this town. That was if it was still there anyway, after all it had been six years since he had been there. That said a lot about him, some people didn’t get to see their grandparents because they couldn’t, he on the other hand had more then enough opportunity to visit, hell how many times had he been in New York City in those six years? More then he could remember that was for sure.

Why did he suck at life so much?

He was thankful when he reached the park to find it deserted. Then again it was hardly ever going to be full of kids with the weather the way it was. Swiping off the mounting snow another shiver overcame him, but still he sat on the swing and began to rock lightly back an forth, their whole argument swirling inside of his head. More secrets, more betrayal, would life ever get better for them?

Time ran away from him as he sat and ponder unanswerable questions but he was interrupted by the sound of snow crunching underneath boots and when his gaze followed the sound he saw his Mother walking towards him. Not a word was uttered as she handed him his coat, and before he even had it zipped all the way up she was handing him a hat and gloves to put on.

“I never expected to have to follow you with a coat and hat when you were almost thirty,” Jane said with a small smile as she wiped off the swing beside him before perching on it.

“How did you know where to find me?” He asked as he continued his gently swinging.

“Oh please, do you know how long it used to take me to get you and Beej away from here when you were younger?” She asked.

A small chuckle escaped his lips before he focused on the white field in front of him.

“So what was that about earlier?” Jane probed a few minutes later just like Nick knew she would.

“Just another argument to add to our huge, growing list,” He scoffed.

“You’ve been together a few years, I’d be worried if you weren’t arguing,” Jane said, Nick just huffed and fell back into silence. “She’s nice, I like her,” Jane added.

He huffed again before adding, “Yeah apart from her being a liar.”

“What’s she lied about?” Jane inquired.

“Nothing, doesn’t matter,” Nick replied sharply.

“Nick.”

“I don’t want to talk about it alright?” He snapped.

“No not alright. I’m not going to let you sit in the cold and dwell on whatever you argued about, I’m not going to sit here and let you get angrier and angrier over something that I might be able to help you with,” Jane replied equally as sharply as her son had been towards her.

He was silent for a few minutes, his gaze purposely focused away from his Mother’s in the hopes that he would be able to stop the tears before they started. Yet the more silence there was between them, the harder it was to keep his emotions at bay and in the end he had to take a shaky breath as the first tears fell.

“I just don’t know what I’m doing Mom,” he admitted as he wiped at his eyes.

“With what?” She asked.

“With everything, one minute we’re good and the next minute…I have no idea what’s going on in her head and I want to…I need to know she wants the same things I do, cause if she doesn’t then what’s the point? I thought life was supposed to get easier as you grew up?” He sighed.

“Who told you that?” Jane asked with a smile, “I’d say it just gets harder and more complicated.”

“Then I’m royally screwed,” He mumbled.

“I’m going to tell you the same thing I told Adie. You are putting way too much pressure on yourself. Things like this can’t be sorted out in a matter of days Nick. You may always have unresolved issues from this time in your life and sometimes you just have to let go of it, you move on, make a fresh start. I know you love her, you wouldn’t be this confused if you didn’t.”

“Love isn’t always enough, I mean look at you and Dad,” Nick shrugged.

“That was a completely different situation Nicky. We got married way to quickly.”

“Because Dad knocked you up with me,” He joked lightly, making Jane laugh along with him.

“We may have done things unconventionally but I don’t have any regrets,” Jane told him.

“Nicely worded their Ma, Gramps will be proud.”

They fell back into silence was again, but this time it was comfortable, and even Nick had to admit that he was feeling slightly better then when he had first stormed out of the house.

“I’m going to say something now, and I’m only going to say it once and then I’ll drop it but just hear me out okay? And you don’t have to say anything after, you don’t have to justify yourself.” Jane said, interrupting the silence.

“What the hell are you gona say Mom?” Nick asked looking to her questioningly.

“I just don’t want you to base your decision to not marry Adie on your Father and Is marriage. She’s a lovely girl Nick, I know I’ve only really seen you when you’ve been arguing but I think you two are really suited and if you can make it through this, I think you can make it through anything,” Jane told him as she stood from the swing. “Now I’m going in because I can no longer feel my nose, feet or hands, you coming?”

Nick looked at her outstretched hand but shook his head, “I just need to clear my head a little.”

“Don’t stay out here for too much longer, I don’t think it would be fair to make Adie see a New York ER when you get hypothermia,” she told him gently patting his cheek.

He watched her walk a few steps towards the house before calling her name as he stood from his swing. She turned, smiling when she was wrapped in a bear hug.

“I’ve missed you Momma,” He whispered.

“I’ve missed you too Nicky.”

***

Adie could feel the tension headache building. Actually she couldn’t remember a time when she didn’t feel a headache coming on, the hypochondriac inside of her would have normally made a convincing argument about the signs of a brain tumour by now, she however, knew it had to be stress related, after all a brain tumour on top of everything else would just be the icing on the cake.

She took a long sip of the water that had been sat in front of her, and quickly glanced at her watch, ten thirty, hopefully they would be leaving soon. The dinner at Doug’s social club had been a little fun and she was enjoying the live band but it had been over seven hours since Nick had stormed off and neither had really spoken more then two words to each other since then.

After her conversation with Jane, Adie had felt slightly better. She called her Dad, who by all accounts was doing well, even trying to get Adie to convince Izzy to let him have some bacon for breakfast. Both she and her Mother had firmly told him it was muesli or going hungry, reluctantly he choose the option that would leave him at least partially full. The conversation had then turned to Nick and herself, the story of their argument flooding out quickly. All Stuart did was reiterate what Jane had said and Adie ended the phone call, calm and collected.

She knew Jane had gone after Nick but she wasn’t surprised when she returned alone and it was then she had decided that she wasn’t going to stay in all day and wait around for him and so had joined the rest of family, barring Nick and Angel of course, and had headed towards the tyre runs.

By the time they had returned to the house, they only had an hour to get showered and dressed for the dinner, Nick had been absent from their room by that point, his earlier arrival back than the rest of them, meaning he was already ready. They rode in separate cabs to the venue but what was worse still was that he had chosen to sit next to Angel instead of her without so much of a second glance. Now all she felt was awkward.

A large sigh escaped her lips just as Aaron sat down beside her.

“You almost blew me to the emerald city with that sigh,” He joked, even managing to make Adie crack a small smile. “Wanna dance?”

“It’s slow dancing A,” Adie pointed out as she looked to the dance floor.

“Yeah, I know how to slow dance A, I’d whip Nick’s butt on dancing with the stars and he knows it. I’ve got moves you’ve never seen!”

Adie laughed and stood up before saying, “Well show me these moves then!”

As they reached the dance floor the song changed to one Adie instantly recognised, it was her parents song and as cheesy as it was, it always bought a smile to her face.

She hummed the first few bars of Me and Mrs Jones but it was only when Aaron asked her, “Did you parents meet in a café?” She realised that he understood the significance too.

“Nope. My Mom knocked my Dad out with a baseball bat.”

“What? And he still went back for more, I mean if I ever got hit in the head by a baseball bat I’d take that as the girl really wasn’t interested.”

“He was the catcher and she was batting, she hit a home run and got a bit excited and threw the bat back with a lot of force before she took of running. He stupidly took his helmet off as he wasn’t expecting anything to hit him. He was out cold for about five minutes,” Adie explained.

Aaron cracked up laughing but quickly stopped making Adie try and turn to see what or whom was in his line of sight but he pulled her in another direction.

“Looks like ass face is getting jealous,” He muttered.

“He looking?” Adie asked.

“Yep and oh we’re out of the seat and walking over.”

Adie took a deep breath in, this was either going to end nicely or very, very badly.

***

Nick watched Adie take a large sip from her glass of water. She looked stressed and tired, that usually added up to a headache for her and he knew from experience that if she didn’t get the pain killers in quick enough, it would just linger on, making her miserable and not that nice to be around. Then again he hadn’t really been around her a lot today anyway. How childish was that? Avoiding someone due to an argument, he had even tried to stand away from her when the pictures were taken but his Mother had glared at him and so reluctantly he had moved to be next to her.

“Are you even listening to a word I’m saying?” Leslie asked.

“Huh?” He muttered turning to her.

“Wrong answer dude,” Mike said making a face.

“Will you just go and apologise to her already,” Leslie prompted.

“I don’t want to apologise to her here.”

“Well then make your excuses, and take her back to Gramps and apologise before we all get home,” Leslie suggested exasperated.

Nick sighed, it wasn’t a bad idea and he was just about to get up from his chair and suggest leaving to Adie, when both Aaron and her walked towards the dance floor. He made himself comfy in his chair again, frowning when Leslie glared at him.

“What?” He asked defensively.

“Go and get her.”

“She’s dancing with Aaron,” Nick pointed out.

“She’s your girlfriend Nick, go and get her.”

He watched as she danced with Aaron, whatever she had just said making him burst out laughing but when he caught his elder brother watching his face almost screwed up into a scowl, making Nick roll his eyes before looking to Leslie, who had an equally pissed of look on her face.

“Alright okay, I’ll go talk to her,” He said as he got up and walked over to where she was dancing. He poked Aaron gently on the shoulder as he asked, “Can I cut in?”

Aaron looked him up and down before turning to Adie and asking “You okay with that?”

“Yeah. I promise at least one more dance with you before we leave though,” she said, stepping back slightly when Aaron released his hold. Nick’s eyes followed Aaron as he stalked off the dance floor and it wasn’t until Adie cleared her throat that he turned to face her.

“I was enjoying myself dancing, you said cut in which in essence means you wanted to dance with me.”

Nick chuckled before opening his arms, a sigh of relief escaping when she wrapped her arms around his middle. He leant down and whispered an “I’m sorry,” as he placed a kiss to the top of her head.

“I didn’t intentionally keep it from you,” Adie told him as they began to slowly move around the floor.

“I know, I was just being an ass.”

“No you weren’t. It’s completely reasonable for you to think that I would want to try again now, its reasonable for you to want to try again but-”

Nick cut her off, “Can we not talk about this here?”

Adie sighed before conceding, “Okay.”

“You look really pretty tonight.”

Adie pulled back from his tight embrace and looked up to him questioningly before looking down at her black skinny jeans, emerald green halter and brown boots.

“You’ve said you’re sorry, you don’t have to lie to me about how I look to get in my good books Nick. I had fifteen minutes to get showered and dressed thanks to your brother and Mike,” she said before she snuggled back into his chest.

“Well I think you look nice,” he said before placing another kiss to her head. He felt more at ease with her quick acceptance of his apology and he did want to hear her explanation about why she wasn’t ready to try again but right then just wasn’t the right time. It was a conversation they needed to have alone, in private and that was when a flashbulb went off in Nick’s head and he wasn’t sure why neither of them had thought of it earlier.

“I’ve had an idea about Christmas,” He blurted out.

“Now I don’t want to talk about it,” She mumbled.

He lifted her chin with his left hand so she was looking at him before continuing, “Just hear me out okay?”

“Alright,” she conceded.

“Why don’t we go away?”

“Away?” She asked.

“Yeah,” he nodded. “I understand why you don’t want to spend it with your folks but I can’t just stay at home. I think it would do us good, get away from everything and everyone, just have some us time, time to talk, time to find ourselves again. I mean when was the last time we had a proper vacation?”

“Ages ago. You’re okay with going away?” She asked.

“Yeah. We could go just before Christmas and come back in the New Year. New Year, new start.”

“So where are we going to go?” She asked a big smile spreading across her face.

“I’m thinking somewhere hot, with a great beach,” Nick offered up not missing Adie roll her eyes. “What?” He questioned.

“Well I already knew that, I’m going with a self professed beach lover.”

“Well where do you want to go?” He asked.

She thought for a few moments before replying, “Somewhere you’ve never been, other than that surprise me.”

“You want me to surprise you?” He asked.

“Yep. Nowhere tacky though,” She warned.

“There goes Benidorm then, shucks!”

She laughed slightly before looking up at him again and whispering “New Year, new start.”

He leant down and kissed her, hoping that some time away together would be just what they needed to overcome all the pain of the past year.





End Notes:
Let me know what you think!
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9068