Autumn Goodbye by sweet18_2003
Summary:

Nothing could have prepared fourteen year old Jadyn for the shock of finding out she is pregnant. Soon after her discovery, she is thrust into a world she doesn't want to be a part of, finding out how cruel and hypocritical the world can be towards an expecting teenager. Through her struggles, Jadyn learns a lot about life that she didnt know before, growing up and maturing a lot sooner than one her age normally would.

 


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick
Genres: Alternate Universe, Drama
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 2624 Read: 2506 Published: 07/13/08 Updated: 08/18/08

1. Chapter One by sweet18_2003

2. Chapter Two by sweet18_2003

Chapter One by sweet18_2003

As she closed her hazel eyes and took in a deep, shaky breath, Jadyn let a single, fearful tear slide down the length of her cheek. Her heart felt as if it were about to pound its way out of her chest and her hands trembled fiercely.

 

“Please, God…” she pleaded in a whisper, “Please let it be negative…”

 

Swallowing the lump that had formed in her throat with a painful gulp, Jadyn opened her eyes and forced herself to look down. Her heart stopped when she saw two clearly visible pink lines flashing across the tiny window. Letting the stick fall from her fingertips, Jadyn slid slowly to the cold tile of the bathroom floor, burying her head within her hands. It took a few moments for reality to set in and for her to grasp the reality of the situation, but once she did, the tears begun to fall freely and quickly.

 

Raking her fingers through her dark, silken auburn hair, Jadyn left them there, her face looking downward for what seemed to be eternity. A million thoughts were racing through her mind at what felt to be the speed of light, but she couldn’t bring herself to really comprehend any of them. The whole thing had to be a nightmare, right? After all, she was only 14 years old and a freshman in high school. Things like that couldn’t happen to girls her age…could they? After all, it had only been her first time, and only time, she'd vowed, until she was older. Having sex had only been meant to be an experiment with her boyfriend of seven months.

 

“What…am I going…to do?” Jadyn hiccupped through her sobs of distress.

 

A numb feeling came over her as her tears continued to fall. She wanted to wish everything away and continue on with her life as if none of this had ever happened. It was though, and the harsh truth hit her like a tropical storm. In the last five minutes Jadyn came to realize that she’d grown up far faster than she in all reality should have, going from girl to woman before her time.

 

“Jade, are you okay in there?”

 

Her head whipped up as she wiped the tears quickly from her eyes, forcing herself to become composed. On the inside, she was panicking though, knowing her father was waiting for her to respond. How long had he been there? How much had he heard? Feeling on the verge of an anxiety attack, Jadyn knew that he couldn’t find out. Not now. Not this way.

 

Not ever.

 

“Jadyn?”

 

“I’m fine, dad…” she called back with an uncertainty in her voice which she hoped that he couldn’t pick up.

 

“Alright,” the man replied, missing the stress in her wavering tone, “Don’t forget it’s a school night. Don’t stay up too late.”

 

“I won’t…promise.” Jadyn replied, wincing. She’d completely forgotten about school. How was she going to face her friends with this huge secret? How could she act normally around them knowing what she did? More yet, how could she concentrate on anything knowing that there was another life building up inside of her? All of these questions brewed in her mind, nagging on her thoughts like a plague. Jadyn didn’t have enough time to dwell on them though, for her father was waiting for her. She could feel him on the other side of the doorway, “I’ll be out soon.”

 

“Okay,” he replied, “Goodnight, sweetie. Love you.”

 

“Love you too, dad,” Jadyn willed the tears away, knowing how disappointed he would be in her. Daddy’s little girl getting knocked up at fourteen. She snorted silently, “Tell mom I said goodnight.”

 

Waiting until she heard the floor creaking, signaling that her dad was walking away, Jadyn quickly scanned the bathroom for any signs of the pregnancy test, shoving the box, the stick and the instructions into the white plastic bag from the drug store. She didn’t know how she was going to discard of them without anybody in the house noticing, but knew that she had to find away. Burning them would be the safest way to rid of the evidence, until she figured out what she was going to do. Clutching the bag to her chest tightly and protectively, she closed her eyes. Taking in a few deep breaths, Jadyn knew the struggle had just begun. This was one hole that she knew she’d have to dig herself out of alone.

Standing up, Jadyn slowly opened the door, seeing that the lights were all turned off. She breathed a sigh of relief as she quietly yet quickly tip-toed her way across the hall to her bedroom closing the door behind her. Shoving the bag under her bed, Jadyn slipped beneath the covers and closed her eyes, hoping to get some rest. Despite her efforts though, she already knew that she wouldn’t be getting and sleep that night.

Chapter Two by sweet18_2003
Author's Notes:
I actually cringed when I re-read the previous chapter 2 to begin 3..and decided it needed to be re-written before I could do anything more. So here is the new, and in my opinion MUCH improved chapter 2. Feedback is appreciated! Thanks!!!!

Chapter Two

 

    Making her way down the stairs slowly, it was all Jadyn could do to keep her eyes open. With the exception of all of about an hour and a half that she’d actually gotten of straight sleep, the rest of the night had been spent with little fifteen minute naps where she couldn’t remember if she’d actually fallen asleep, or if her numbed mind had just blocked out her conscious existence. The remaining time, she’d been awake and painfully aware of her discovery the night before, and wracking her brain of what she was going to do.

 

    Her eyes were now dry, the tears that she’d been crying what seemed to be all night now invisible. If she could cry more, Jadyn knew that she would be. The thing was, she couldn’t, convinced that she’d drained herself of all of the tears she was allotted for the month.

 

    “Well, good-morning, sleepyhead.”

 

    Jadyn looked up, shaking her head from her daze, realizing she had subconsciously ended up in the kitchen. There she stood on the marbled tile floor of the entrance, with both her father and her older sister, Tiffany, staring at her with goofy, chipper smiles on their faces. Disgusted, Jadyn walked towards the table, plopping down tiredly into a vacant chair. She buried her face within her arms, annoyed with her family’s happiness. Had it really only been yesterday that she too had been a care-free fourteen year old, laughing and having fun? It seemed light-years away.

 

    “Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed.” Her dad, Nick, joked, flipping pancake’s on the sizzling griddle. A soft hiss filled the kitchen as the battery goop turned into a bready substance. The smell made Jadyn’s mouth water, yet somehow, she just didn’t feel like eating, even with her stomach grumbling violently.

 

    “I didn’t sleep very well,” Jadyn mumbled, rubbing her temples, wondering if she should confess to her dad what was going on.  Then, this whole nightmare could be taken care of. Sure, her parents would be livid with anger, but at least they could help her, right?

 

    “I thought so. You’re usually up by now. I thought I was going to have to come up and drag you out of bed for school.”

 

    Jadyn’s stomach churned at the thought of school. How was she going to concentrate when something much more important than anything she would learn in the classroom was taking place. Somehow the fact that she had another life growing inside of her outweighed Shakespeare and mathematical equations, which she was convinced would get her nowhere in life. When her dad placed a place of the pancakes, complete with a side of bacon, in front of her, Jadyn pushed the plate away, “I’m not hungry.” She lied.

 

    “It’s your favorite though,” Nick sounded hurt.

 

    “Where’s mom?” Jadyn asked quickly, changing the subject.

 

    “Oh…she had to go into the studio early.” Nick recalled, already forgetting the neglected breakfast plate, “One of her clients wasn’t happy with the way their wedding photo’s turned out, so she is re-editing them,” Nick laughed and shook his head, “I don’t know how she deals with Bride-zilla’s all day long.”

 

    “Me either.” Jadyn mumbled softly.

 

    “Are you okay?” Nick finally asked, concerned, as he sat down with his own plate, biting off a piece of bacon, “You’re acting weird.”

 

    Jadyn gulped. This was her chance to confess. To let go of the stress bottled up inside of her. Looking from her dad, to Tiffany, who was now putting her dirty dish in the dishwasher, Jadyn took a deep breath.

 

    “Can I talk to you…” she looked up to her seventeen year old sister, then back to her dad, “Alone?”

 

    Nick looked back to Tiffany, who had been leaning against the counter, ready for a good listen in. Rolling her eye’s at the cue, she stood upright and began walking away, “I get the hint.” She stated, “But the brat better hurry up or I’m leaving without her.”

 

    Nick shot her a warning look before turning back to Jadyn, “What did you want to talk to me about?”

 

    Her palms sweaty, Jadyn gulped. Rubbing them on her pants, she refused to look up at her dad. Her throat clogged with tears all over again, which she forced down again. Could she really carry through with this?

 

    “Jadyn?”

 

    Finally, she looked up and took a deep breath before speaking, “Well, see…um…” she stammered, watching her father look at her expectantly. She knew that she could tell him anything. Much more than what she could tell her mom. Her dad and her had a freakishly close father-daughter relationship. But that was before she became pregnant. What now? “I’m having trouble with my algebra…could you help me with it?” she lied again, chickening out of telling him the truth.

 

    “Of course,” he looked confused, “Are you sure that’s all?” Jadyn nodded, “Alright,” he scratched his blonde head and laughed, “You had me worried there for a second.”

 

    Jadyn offered a tight smile, and stood, “I gotta go…Tiff is waiting for me.” She leaned over and hugged her dad, “Love you.”

 

    “Love you too, Jade.” Nick gave her a kiss on the cheek, ‘Have a good day.”

 

    Jadyn just nodded and turned around before her dad could read the lies within her troubled eyes. She’d wanted to tell him. Really, she had. She wanted to tell her dad alone too, when that time came, because she knew if her mom was present, and she told her parents together, the result of their reaction would be a hurricane instead of simply a storm.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

    As the final morning bell rang at promptly seven-thirty, warning students that they had better be in their classrooms, Jadyn found herself slipping into the women’s restroom. She hadn’t the intention of skipping, but now that she was hidden away from everybody, she didn’t exactly intend on going to her first period class either.

 

    Setting her backpack against the wall, Jadyn turned the water on, leaning over the sink to splash her face. She looked up, and was startled at the reflection that stared back at her. With her complexion a few shades more pale than usual, and the dark circles under her eye’s, Jadyn was ashamed to even be seen in public looking the way she did. Then there was the lack of makeup, and for the first time, she realized that she’d forgotten to put any on at all, along with brushing her hair.

 

    “Whatever,” she said aloud, not really caring what anybody thought of her at the moment.

 

    Her mind drifted off to the conversation her and her sister had had on the twenty minute drive through town to the school. Tiffany was a senior, this fact making their three and a half years apart seem all the wider.

 

    “So, what did you need to talk to dad about?”

 

    “If I wanted you to know, I wouldn’t have asked you to leave the room.”

 

   “ Right,” Tiffany had rolled her green eyes, “And since when don’t you eat chocolate chip pancakes and bacon? Dad’s right…they’re your favorite.”

 

    “I just wasn’t hungry.” Jadyn pulled her backpack tight against her as if it would somehow protect her from the questioning and the accusatory gaze her sister was throwing in her direction.

 

    “Dad went through a lot of trouble to make that for you before he had to leave for work. You really are an ungrateful brat.”

 

    “Since when is not being hungry a crime?” Jadyn spat angrily.

 

    “It’s not.” Tiffany replied simply.

 

    “Alright…then lay off it.”

 

    Tiffany grunted, turning the volume of the radio up a few levels, the sound of some rock band blocking out any tension that had built up in the small, black Hyundai Elantra. The eight minute silence was short-lived though, when Tiffany turned the volume back down. She sighed deeply, as if contemplating on whether or not to speak. Biting her lip, Tiffany turned towards Jadyn for a moment.

 

    “You’re not like, going anorexic or anything, are you?”

 

    “What?” Jadyn turned towards her sister, “What gave you that idea?”

 

    “The not eating,” Tiffany replied logically, “I mean, it’s not like you’re fat or anything. You know if you need to talk, I’m here.”

 

    “I’m not going anorexic.” Jadyn whispered, visibly upset. Her voice trembled with emotion.

 

    “Alright, I’m just saying…”

 

    By that point, they were already pulling into Tiffany’s reserved student parking spot. Without waiting for the car to be completely shut off, Jadyn was already out the door and making her way towards the back entrance of the high school.

 

    “Meet me at the car when you’re done.” Tiffany called after Jadyn as a reminder as she locked up the car.

 

    Jadyn just continued walking, giving no sign that she’d heard Tiffany, her only thought being getting away.

 

    Which led her to that moment of hiding away in the girl’s restroom to compose herself before facing a world of cruel high schooler’s just waiting to trample a freshman in distress.

 

    Another bell sounded, letting Jadyn know that the fifty minutes of first period had whizzed by without her realizing it during her deep thoughts. She officially had five minutes to get her act together and get into second period, knowing she couldn’t skip another class. At least not two in a row.

 

    “Okay…time to get your act together, Jade.” She coached herself, still staring at her reflection. Taking a paper towel, Jadyn dapped at her eyes, it still obvious that she’d been crying, but the evidence at least somewhat fading away.

   

    Digging deep into the safety of her backpack, Jadyn retrieved the plastic bag that contained the pregnancy test. Opening it up, she pulled out the stick, praying that it had all been a mistake and that she’d misread it. The two pink lines she had seen the night before had long since faded away from the stick, however the image of them were permanently etched into her memory as she shoved all of it into the garbage can and hurried out of the restroom and into the world that awaited her.

 

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9140