Boats by Brenda by old_archive
Summary:

Originally Found On: madame.homestead.com

Summary: It was supposed to be a vacation, but turned into a trip Nick would never forget. 


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick
Genres: Action, Drama, Suspense
Warnings: Sexual Content, Violence
Challenges:
Series: Archived Author: KS Angel (Brenda)
Chapters: 41 Completed: Yes Word count: 81918 Read: 62119 Published: 08/13/08 Updated: 08/13/08

1. Chapter 1 by old_archive

2. Chapter 2 by old_archive

3. Chapter 3 by old_archive

4. Chapter 4 by old_archive

5. Chapter 5 by old_archive

6. Chapter 6 by old_archive

7. Chapter 7 by old_archive

8. Chapter 8 by old_archive

9. Chapter 9 by old_archive

10. Chapter 10 by old_archive

11. Chapter 11 by old_archive

12. Chapter 12 by old_archive

13. Chapter 13 by old_archive

14. Chapter 14 by old_archive

15. Chapter 15 by old_archive

16. Chapter 16 by old_archive

17. Chapter 17 by old_archive

18. Chapter 18 by old_archive

19. Chapter 19 by old_archive

20. Chapter 20 by old_archive

21. Chapter 21 by old_archive

22. Chapter 22 by old_archive

23. Chapter 23 by old_archive

24. Chapter 24 by old_archive

25. Chapter 25 by old_archive

26. Chapter 26 by old_archive

27. Chapter 27 by old_archive

28. Chapter 28 by old_archive

29. Chapter 29 by old_archive

30. Chapter 30 by old_archive

31. Chapter 31 by old_archive

32. Chapter 32 by old_archive

33. Chapter 33 by old_archive

34. Chapter 34 by old_archive

35. Chapter 35 by old_archive

36. Chapter 36 by old_archive

37. Chapter 37 by old_archive

38. Chapter 38 by old_archive

39. Chapter 39 by old_archive

40. Chapter 40 by old_archive

41. Chapter 41 by old_archive

Chapter 1 by old_archive
DAY ONE – Calabash, North Carolina – Mile 340

Nick stood with his hands on the wooden railing.  He looked down at the docks below him.  About half the slips were full.  Nick knew that would change as it got more into summer.  By July, there wouldn’t be an empty berth.  He took a deep breath.  He loved the familiar smell of the marina.  It evoked great memories for him.  He closed his eyes and inhaled, filling his lungs with air and his nostrils with the scent of deck cleaner blended with the odor of diesel fuel and dead fish.  Overlaying it all was the smell of fried onions from the snack bar. 

Nick smiled to himself.  There was always a snack bar, he thought, and they were always frying onions.

Nick opened his eyes and looked around. There were very few people about this afternoon.  Nick could see a couple of marina workers fixing something at the end of one of the docks…a loose board or something.  Nick couldn’t see it clearly.  The docks were in the shape of a T.  Nick stood in front of the office at the foot of the T.  A long dock stretched out in front of him with slips on either side.  The top of the T was another dock with more slips.  Nick knew his boat was on the left side at the top of the T. 

Over to the right, Nick could see a man standing on the deck of his boat.  He was dark-haired, wearing white pants and a navy shirt.  He was talking to somebody, but Nick couldn’t see the other person.  He or she must be down below.  Or maybe, thought Nick, the guy was talking to himself or singing.  Nick did that all the time when he was alone on his boat.

Some sort of psychic energy made the man realize he was being watched.  He looked around until he spotted Nick.  The man shaded his eyes with one hand and squinted up at Nick.  Nick didn’t move.  A few seconds later, the man turned away and went below.

Nick heard voices behind him.  He turned, hoping it would be his boat broker, Carl Henry.  But it was only an elderly couple, making their way down the sidewalk, arguing every step of the way.  Nick sure hoped they had a crew to run their boat.  Neither of them looked capable of even boarding a boat, let alone running one.

Nick looked back to the water.  He drummed his fingers impatiently on the railing.  He was itching to get on the boat.  It was a new boat – well, new to him.  It was actually two years old…one previous owner, a stockbroker who flew too high too fast and crashed and burned on dotcom stock.  Nick was proud of himself for having outlasted the high pressure sales tactics of various boat sellers trying to entice him into a brand new boat and instead got his business manager to look for the same kind of boat that the salesmen showed him…just slightly used.

It was much easier to find boats these days.  Boat brokers knew all about the Internet.  Bernie had found a real bargain – everything Nick wanted and for just over half the price of a new model.  The Lenore.  45 feet of sleek fiberglass and gleaming chrome.

Nick intended to change the name as soon as he could think of the perfect one.  Until then, she would remain the Lenore.

“Mr. Carter?"

Nick turned to see a man advancing toward him.  It was Carl Henry, the boat broker.  Carl was a middle-aged man with thinning hair and high blood pressure, if the ruddy glow to the man’s face was any indication.  Beads of sweat popped out continuously on his forehead, and he mopped them up with a folded linen hankie that he carried for just that purpose.

Carl wasn’t a salesman.  He was a detail man, a number cruncher.  He handled the final paperwork after the salesmen…all younger and taller than Carl, with more hair and better teeth…reeled in the buyer.  Carl treated each transaction as if it were his own child and made sure all the ‘t’s were crossed and the ‘i’s dotted.

Carl wiped his hand on his pants and reached out to Nick.

“Hey, Carl,” said Nick, shaking the man’s hand.  Nick could feel the excited tickle of anticipation run through his stomach.

“Hi, Mr. Carter.  How are you today?”

“Call me Nick.  I’m good.  How about you?”  Gimme my boat!

“Fine, just fine.  It’s a great day…weatherwise…”

Nick nodded but didn’t say anything.  He didn’t want conversation.  He wanted his boat.

Carl Henry sighed and reluctantly held out a large manila envelope.  “Okay, here you go, Mr. …Nick.  Everything is arranged.  The papers are all in here.”

“Thanks,” said Nick, taking the envelope.  It wasn’t the papers he wanted.  It was the keys.

“Will you be setting off today, then?” asked Carl.

Not if you don’t give me the damn keys, thought Nick. 

“I’m planning on it, yeah,” he said.  “I ordered some groceries.  Once they’re delivered, I’m shoving off.”  Nick looked at his watch.  “They promised them for two o’clock.”  His watch read 2:18.

“Well, then, we’d better get cracking,” said Carl.  “Let’s get you aboard.  It’s slip 27.”  Carl pointed off to his left.

Nick picked up his duffle bag and his guitar case and followed Carl down the walkway.  He took a closer look at the boats as he went past them…sleek sailing vessels, powerful racing boats, luxury yachts.

Nick grinned to himself.  That was a stupid phrase, he thought.  Luxury yacht.  Was there a yacht out there that wasn’t a luxury?  Did anyone have to have a yacht to survive?  What was the opposite of a luxury yacht?...a working yacht?...a fishing yacht?...a middle class yacht?

Nick’s whimsical thoughts were brought to an end when Carl stopped suddenly.

“There she is,” said the broker.  “Ain’t she a beauty?”

Nick looked at the boat…his boat.  She was long and sleek and white, 960 horsepower of ‘get me the hell out of here’.

“I understand you want to change the name,” said Carl.

Nick thought the man sounded disapproving, as if the boat might somehow be offended.  Nick opened his mouth to apologize and then thought, what the fuck!  It was his money and his boat and he could do as he damn well pleased. 

“Yeah,” was all he said.

“The papers for that are in there,” said Carl, indicating the envelope in Nick’s hand.  “All the registrations and deeds, etc. were done using the boat’s number, which you can’t change.”

Nick grinned.  “Why would I want to change the number?”

The boat broker raised an eyebrow at Nick as if to imply that anyone who would change the name of a boat could be expected to do anything.

“Just make sure you fill them out and get them to the required department on time.”  Carl paused. “It’s a terrorism thing,” he added in a whisper after a cautious look around him.

A terrorism thing?  What?  Fleets of luxury yachts were being secretly renamed so they could attack…attack what?

Carl seemed to read Nick’s mind.  His face got even redder.  “I don’t mean you are a terrorist,” he stammered, “or even that you are in danger from one.  It’s just red tape.  You know, since 9/11.  Rules and regulations…forms to fill out…mountains of paperwork!  It’s a nightmare!"  Carl patted his forehead again with the handkerchief.

“I’ll make sure I do it all properly,” said Nick, knowing he wouldn’t do it at all.  That’s what he had Bernie for.

“Good, good,” nodded Carl.  “Well, welcome aboard.”  The man stepped to the side and motioned Nick onto the boat. 

Nick stepped gracefully down onto the boat.  He set down his duffle bag and guitar case and carefully placed the envelope full of red tape on top of the bag.  He turned back to Carl, who was extending a set of keys.  Nick took the keys.

“Thanks, Man!”

“You got your final inspection?” confirmed Carl.

“Yes,” said Nick, “yesterday.” 

Nick had hired a professional boat inspector to go over the Lenore from stem to stern.  Everything was in perfect working condition, every item of furniture accounted for, right down to the cutlery.

Carl pursed his lips and nodded.  “Okay then, Mr. Carter.  Enjoy your boat!”

Nick reached up and shook the man’s hand.  He smiled and said ‘thank you’ again, but what he really meant was ‘go away’.

Finally, after another lingering glance along the length of the boat, Carl patted the railing, as if saying ‘farewell’ and turned away, leaving Nick alone.

Finally, thought Nick.  Alone at last!

He grabbed his bags and went below.  He immediately broke into a big grin.  Yes!  This was what he had paid for.  He carefully placed the manila envelope in one of the kitchen drawers.  He looked around the kitchen with its gleaming stainless steel appliances and the shiny black surfaces of the microwave and fridge.  He ran his hand along the countertop…navy blue with grey marbled through it.

The dining nook was a j-shaped white, leather bench hooked around a table.  White throw pillows with navy piping sat against the back of the bench.  Over the long end of the bench was a series of cupboards.  Nick opened them all.  Dishes…glassware…video games…DVDs...

Nick grinned.  Yep, all his needs were met here.  He peered at the panel on the wall under one of the cupboards.  There were over twenty buttons and switches.  They showed the status of the boat…how much fresh water there was left in the tank, how full the holding tank was getting.  It also held the controls for the entertainment centre, even though the TV and DVD player were in the living room area.  A separate TV with an x-box would be in the bedroom, Nick knew.

Nick made his way through the living room, past the white leather sofa and the matching captain’s chairs.  More navy and white pillows dotted the sofa.  On the wall was a picture of a sailboat in a navy blue frame.

That’s gotta go, thought Nick, taking an instant dislike to the picture for some reason.

He passed the guest bedroom.  The privacy door was open, and he glanced in.  Two bunks, the top one a twin, the bottom a double.  Drawers under the bottom bunk for storage.  A closet with a mirror on the outside of the door.

Across from the guest room was another sliding door.  Nick opened it and saw a compact washer/dryer.  He wrinkled his nose.  Laundry!  He hated doing it!  He slid the door closed.  With any luck at all, he had enough underwear to last him through the trip.  He didn’t care if he wore the same pants the whole journey, and since he was going to be alone on the water, he’d wear each shirt as long as he could stand the smell of it.  Nick went back to the kitchen and picked up the duffle bag.  He left the guitar case sitting by the sofa.

He walked up the hall into the master bedroom.  He threw the duffle bag on the bed and sighed.  Home!  Here was home! 

The bed was shaped like a fat tear drop, pointed at the top where it fit into the prow of the boat.  It was covered in a navy blue and white checked duvet.  Two large pillows were in matching cases, and two smaller navy throw pillows nestled together at the top of the bed.  Over them hung a wide mirror.  Nick smiled into it.

Narrow windows down either side were covered with navy curtains.  Nick pulled them open.

He then opened the tall closet and his nose was assailed by the scent of cedar.  Nick knew that was supposed to keep everything smelling fresh, but he wasn’t sure he wanted his clothes to smell like cedar.  He laughed.  Maybe after a couple of days in the same shirt, cedar would be a much preferable odor. 

Nick unzipped the duffle bag and dumped the contents onto the bed.  He picked up a couple of shirts.  He looked at himself in the mirror again and shrugged.  Screw it, he said, and he dropped the shirts on the bed.  He’d get to it later.  He was on Nick Time now.

He went back through the boat and climbed the four stairs to the deck.  He looked at his watch.  3:09.  Where the hell were the groceries?  Nick had planned to…

Well, stop right there, he told himself.  You have no plans.  That is exactly the point of all of this, remember?  Your plan is to be in the Keys in two weeks time.  No rushing, no stress, no getting impatient or bent out of shape over little things.  You’ll get enough of that on tour.

Nick looked around the boat.  He wouldn’t be getting accommodations like these on tour.  And he wouldn’t get to be alone.  That was for damned sure.

And that’s what he wanted right now. 

To be alone.

Maybe that’s what he’d rename the boat. 

Alone.
Chapter 2 by old_archive
Alone.

Everyone Nick knew had questioned the wisdom of that – traveling alone.  Wasn’t that dangerous…a big boat and all?  Could he handle it alone?  What if something happened on the water?  Who would come to his rescue?

His family and friends…and his four brothers!...didn’t get it that Nick was as comfortable at the helm of a boat as he was behind the wheel of a car.  And no matter how big the boat might be, it would seem awful damn small after a few days together with the wrong person.

Nick couldn’t think of anyone in his life at this moment that he would be capable of living with for two weeks in such close quarters.  Except maybe Troy.  And Nick knew Troy couldn’t leave his job in L.A. for that long just to help Nick take his boat from North Carolina to Florida..

Nick wasn’t seeing anyone in a romantic sense, and he wasn’t sure this was the kind of trip that would help develop a relationship anyway.  Day trips and picnics…now, that was a different story! Nick loved to have girls along then, draped all over the deck in tiny bikinis, soaking up the sun and basking in the glow of youth and money.

Overnights were a different story, though.  It was hard to make people understand that, even on a boat this size, one that was packed with every electronic device known to man, there was still a limit to that most vital of elements…fresh water!  The Lenore had a fresh water tank of 119 gallons.  You couldn’t do too many 20-minute showers on that…not if you ever planned on washing the dishes!

The bathroom…the head, Nick corrected himself…was the smallest area on the boat.  It had all the gleaming woodwork and shiny metal of the other areas of the boat, but it lacked one thing… space.  There was no countertop to speak of.  There was a shower in which one person could stand, but not dance!  There was a toilet and a sink. 

Nick had a special travel kit that had a bunch of zippered compartments  It folded up to be packed in a suitcase, but when it was unfolded, there was a loop so it could be hung on the back of a door.  That was Nick’s medicine cabinet on the boat.  It was his shower ledge and his countertop.

That was another good reason for not bringing a girl along, he thought.  There was just nowhere to put all the makeup and paint and polish that girls seemed to need to look beautiful.

Paris.

Nick took a deep breath and shook his head.  No, he would not think about her.  He would not let her in.

The breakup of his relationship with Paris Hilton had been brutal.  To be honest, after the euphoria of the first couple of months wore off, the whole thing had been brutal.  But Nick had put it behind him.  He’d moved on.

Yeah, I moved on, he thought.  I moved on right into the publicity mill for the album.  Right into interview after interview where the reporters danced around the topic.  Some didn’t ask (journalistic integrity or lack of balls?  Nick didn’t know.)…some floated it out there, never using the name, saying ‘former relationship’, ‘ex-girlfriend’…some just flat out asked.

Nick tried to be polite, to take the high road.  It was over, he said, no, he had no contact with her, nor did he wish to, they had gone their separate ways.

Nick was relieved that he was not in the infamous cell phone address book that was ‘stolen’.  Nick put mental quotation marks around the word ‘stolen’.  He could never be sure with Paris.  She was such a game-player, anything was possible.

Kevin.

Nick laughed out loud.  Big Brother Kev.  “I’ll speak for him.  She’s a psycho!”

Nick bet that interview had been downloaded by the thousands.  Kevin did not have any patience for either stupidity or duplicity.  And he seemed to feel that Paris was the embodiment of both those attributes.

Kevin had not liked Paris from the beginning.  Nick knew that now.  Kevin never said anything at the time; none of them did, except AJ who told him to “go for it if you want to, but be careful, Bro.  Those are shark-infested waters.”

Nick grimaced.  It was Kevin, however, who showed up to pull Nick out of a bad situation, trapped in a club with bad vibes all around him and a pack of paparazzi wolves waiting outside the door.

Nick didn’t say much when he called Kevin.  He didn’t have to.  He just said the name of the club and, “It’s bad.”

“Stay there,” Kevin ordered.  “Don’t leave, don’t talk to anyone, and don’t have anything to drink.”

Before they started the publicity junket for the album, Nick sat them all down and asked them how they wanted to handle the ‘Paris question’. 

Brian’s response was that he’d never mentioned the girl up to this point and he wasn’t about to start now.

Nick said he wanted to take the high road, to be the better person.

“That won’t be hard,” snorted Kevin.

Nick looked at AJ. 

“Just be glad you got out alive,” laughed his tattooed friend.

The others laughed nervously.  Nick could see that they didn’t want to offend him now that he was safely out of the relationship, but that they were all glad it was over.  Howie summed it up for them all when he said, “It was just kinda hard to picture a relationship where you were the mature one, Nicky!”

From then on, Nick answered every question about the comments and antics of Paris Hilton with a shrug and, “she’s just immature!”

Paris.

Nick laughed.  He knew that Paris wouldn’t have lasted more than one night on the boat before he picked her up and threw her overboard.  Nick laughed again as he pictured her long blonde hair and her flailing arms and legs as she sailed over the railing into the water, pouting and whining, “But, Nick…”

Nick looked up at the sound of a car engine.  It was a foreign sound in the venue of a marina.  Cars were parked in a lot quite a distance away.

It was a van.  It said, ‘Hanlan’s Grocery’ on the side, and it was pulling up outside the marina office.  The food had arrived!

Nick stepped up onto the dock and headed for the office.  He retraced his earlier path and then beyond to the glass doors of the office.  As he came through the door, he heard raised voices.

“…two hours late.”

“Well, nobody told me,” said a petulant male voice.  “All’s I know is I got two bills that need paying.”

Nick stepped up and said cheerfully, “I believe one of those bills is mine.  Nick Carter.  How much do I owe you?”

The delivery boy was a man about Nick’s age but a head shorter.  He wore a shirt with the name Donald stitched over his pocket.  Donald named an amount.  Nick pulled out his wallet and extracted some cash.  He added a generous tip and handed the money over.

“Thanks a lot, Man,” said Donald.  “And I’m sorry it’s late.  Another order came in for the same place, and the boss made me wait until both were ready.”

“No problem, Man,” said Nick.

Nick turned to the table beside him to see that, indeed there was a problem.  Eight or nine cardboard boxes sat on the table.  They were full of groceries, and not one was labeled.

Nick looked at the marina manager, who shrugged.  He didn’t know what belonged to whom.  How could he?

Nick looked over the contents of the boxes.  He felt kind of stupid because he didn’t know what he had ordered.  Bernie had done that.  Nick told him, “two weeks worth of staples…breakfast and lunch stuff.”  Nick figured he’d either do restaurants for dinner or pick up fresh meat and vegetables along the way.  Or nuked frozen dinners, apparently.  Nick spotted a box with a bunch of those and figured it might be his.  He culled it from the herd and set it on another table.

“Definitely not mine!” he said, as he inspected the contents of a second box.  It held canned goods…soup, tuna, vegetables…and a large box of tampons.

A tinkling bell drew Nick’s attention to the door.  A man entered the room.  Nick recognized him as the same guy he’d seen on the boat earlier on.

The guy nodded at him.  Nick nodded back.  Then the guy turned to the delivery boy.  “You got a grocery order for me?” he asked.  “My name’s Peter Crofton.”

“Yeah,” answered Donald, holding out the bill.

Peter looked at the amount and pulled out his wallet, as Nick had done.  He carefully counted out the money and asked for the receipt.  From the look on Donald’s face, there hadn’t been much of a tip included.

Donald nodded again at Nick, said “thanks” to the room in general and left.  The manager leaned back in his chair and waited for the groceries to be sorted and removed from his office.

Peter folded the receipt and placed it in his wallet.  He smiled at Nick.  “Gotta keep all the paperwork in order, or we don’t get paid.  Right?”

Nick raised his eyebrows in question.  What was the man talking about?

“At the end of the run,” said Peter, “You know, when you deliver the boat.”

Nick nodded, but he still wasn’t sure what the man meant.

“Oh, sorry,” explained Peter.  “I thought maybe you were doing what I’m doing – delivering a boat to some rich bastard in Fort Lauderdale.  I do it two or three times a year.  It’s good money and a free vacation.  You’re not doing that?”

“No,” said Nick, “I guess I’m the rich bastard.  I’m picking up my own boat.”

“Oh, sorry Man,” said Peter, not sounding sorry at all.

“’S okay,” said Nick, extending a hand.  “Nick Carter,” he added.

“Peter Crofton.  Call me Pete,” said the dark-haired man.   Nick thought he was in his early 30's. “Oh, hey!  Nick Carter.  Yeah, I can place you now.  You looked familiar when I saw you earlier.  I just didn’t recognize you without…”

Pete stopped talking and looked at Nick’s right arm as if he expected a vapid blond to appear there.

“…without the rest of the Boys?” suggested Nick.

Pete laughed.  “Yeah, like that.”

Nick grinned and stepped  to the side, showing Pete the boxes of groceries.

“Which ones are mine?” asked Pete.

“That’s yet to be determined,” replied Nick, “but I know for sure, this one’s not mine.”  Nick pushed the box containing the female supplies in Pete’s direction.

Pete rolled his eyes and sighed.  “Yeah, that would be mine.  I mean, ours.  You on your own, Nick?”

“Yeah,” said Nick, then added, “That’s how I like it.”

“Me too,” agreed Pete.  “I usually do this by myself.  It lets me get away from all the bullshit for awhile.”

Nick nodded his understanding of the concept, but he didn’t say anything.

“Got the girlfriend along this time, though,” continued Pete, “and the girlfriend’s girlfriend.”  More eye rolling.  “Two women!”

Nick grinned.  Nope.  No way Pete was going to get any ‘me time’.  Not with two women aboard.

The two men continued talking as they sorted the groceries.  Nick discovered that the two girls were Mickey and Jo…Michelle and Jordana.  They’d been friends since kindergarten… inseparable.

Nick wondered where Pete fit into all this.  It wasn’t long before he found out.

“Mickey and I met at a friend’s wedding.  She was a bridesmaid and I was an usher.  It was weird that we’d never met, seeing as how we both knew the bride and groom.  He was a buddy of mine from college, and Mickey was the bride’s cousin.  Anyway, we hit it off right from the beginning.  We’ve been together nearly two years.”

“That’s a long time,” said Nick.

“Yeah, I was thinking of popping the big question on this trip…you know, the whole moonlight and champagne thing.”  He sighed and looked at the door.  “But now with Jo here, I guess that will have to wait.”

Way to go, Jo, thought Nick.  “Did she know you were thinking of…?”

“No, no,” said Pete.  “Don’t get me wrong.  I got no problems with Jo.  It wasn’t even her idea to come along.  Mickey wanted to bring her.”  He paused.  “She’s a little fragile at the moment.”

Nick wasn’t sure which of the women Pete considered fragile.  He found out a moment later when the door opened and a woman walked in.  She was tall and thin with long brown hair…down to the middle of her back...and it was straight, parted in the middle. The woman had tucked bits of it behind her ears to keep it off her face.  She wore no makeup or jewelry.  She had on white shorts and a pink t-shirt.  A red crease ran down the side of her face.

“Hey, Sleepyhead,” said Pete, in a gentle tone. 

The woman smiled and said sleepily, “I know, I know.  It was a long nap.  It’s the whole jet lag thing, I guess.  Is Mickey here yet?”

Okay, thought Nick, this must be Jo.  By the look of her, she could qualify for fragile, he guessed.

Pete looked at his watch.  “No, and she said she’d be out of the meeting by three.  I’ll give her a call.”  He pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and flipped it open.

“Okay,” said Jo, in a tiny voice.

Pete punched in the numbers.

“No, wait,” said Jo, shaking her head.  “She’s not that late, and she won’t want to be disturbed if she’s still in the meeting.”

“Are you sure?” asked Pete.  “I can make the call.”  His thumb hovered over the Send button.

Jo pressed her lips together.   “Um…” 

Nick thought she looked anything but sure.

“Yes.  I mean, yes, I’m sure.  Don’t call.  If she’s done the meeting, she’ll be on the road.  She doesn’t need to be distracted by the phone.”

Pete laughed and flipped his phone shut.  “That’s true.  Well then, let’s just get everything ready for her.  We weren’t planning on leaving ‘til the morning anyway.”

“I thought we were ready,” said Jo.

“All but the groceries,” replied Pete, sweeping his hand to indicate the boxes on the table.

Jo looked at the boxes and the table and finally at Nick.

“Hi,” she said, nonchalantly.

Nick nodded.  “Hi.”

Pete stepped to Jo’s side.  “Jordana Miles, this is Nick Carter.  Nick…Jordana.”

“Pleased to meet you, Jordana,” said Nick, extending his hand.

“Call me Jo,” she replied, shaking Nick’s hand.  She turned to Pete and laughed.  “Mickey will pee her pants when she finds out I got to meet this guy.”

“Yeah, ain’t that the truth,” laughed Pete.  He looked at Nick.  “Mickey’s a big fan of yours.”  Pete looked at his watch again.  “When are you heading out?  Tonight?”

“Um…I hadn’t really decided.  You know, the whole grocery thing…and…”  Now it was Nick who looked at his watch.  It was nearly six o’clock.  “Nah,” he said, “I think I’ll wait ‘til morning.”

“That’s great,” said Pete.  “How’d you like to have dinner with us?  I know a great restaurant that’s not too far.  What do you say?  It’s on me.”

Nick grinned.  “Don’t you mean it’s on the rich bastard from Fort Lauderdale?”

“Well, there you go,” said Pete, with a laugh.  “So how about it?”

“Sure,” said Nick.  “What time?”

They agreed on 7:30 and got on with the task of ferrying the groceries to their boats.

Nick didn’t really want to go out for dinner.  He wanted to be alone.  He didn’t want to eat with a bunch of strangers, especially one who was apparently a devoted fan.  Nick would have to watch every word he said, in case Mickey was also devoted to the Internet.

Aw, stop whining, he chastised himself.  Pete seems like a nice guy, and Jo seems okay, a bit under the weather, maybe.  Jet lag, she said.  Nick wondered if ‘jet lag’ was a euphemism for the monthly event that required the tampons.

Nick packed away the last of the groceries.  You’re here, he told himself.  On the boat.  You get to sleep on the boat tonight. 

Alone. 

That’s all you wanted.

Nick wondered again if he should rename the boat, Alone.
Chapter 3 by old_archive
“Yoo hoo!  Nick!”

Nick heard a knock on the side of the boat.  He came up on deck.  Pete and Jo were standing on the dock.  Pete was wearing the same pants as earlier, but he’d changed his shirt.  Nick kind of wished he’d done the same.  Jo was wearing a dress, a sleeveless cotton number with flowers on it.  A light cardigan sweater was draped across her shoulders.

“You ready?” asked Pete.

“Yeah,” said Nick.  “You got a car, or should we call a cab?”

“Already called it,” said Pete.  “It’ll pick us up over there.”  He pointed to the manager’s office.

“Mickey not here yet?” asked Nick.  He grimaced, thinking it was a pretty stupid question.  Obviously, she wasn’t.

“She’s meeting us at the restaurant,” said Pete.

Jo looked at him in surprise.  “She is?  When did you talk to her?”

“While you were getting changed,” said Pete.  “She called and said the meeting was running late.  It doesn’t matter.  We already have all her stuff aboard.  We just need her.”

“I didn’t hear a phone ring,” said Jo, petulantly.

Pete pressed his lips together and then said patiently.  “I have it set to ‘vibrate’.  See.”  He pulled the phone out of his pocket and flipped it open.

Jo nodded.  “Okay.  When will she get here?”

Pete shrugged.  “She wasn’t sure about the meeting.  She said she hoped to be here by nine.”  He looked at Nick and smiled.  “Shall we?”

Nick stepped up onto the dock.  “Yeah, I’m hungry.  Let’s go.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pete had not been wrong in his assessment of the restaurant.  The food was excellent.  They shared an appetizer – a crock of hot crab dip with vegetable pieces and crackers on the side.  It was delicious, and Pete and Nick dove in.  Jo munched on some celery and carrot sticks but declined the dip.

The restaurant, Vincenzo’s, was one of those big platter restaurants, where you ordered two or three dishes, and it fed six people.  Together they decided on veal piccata and Caesar salad.  Pete and Nick hemmed and hawed over the pasta selections, but they decided against it.  It would be way too much.  Jo didn’t have much input.  She said she liked everything and would be fine with whatever they decided.  When the waiter asked if they would like a pasta dish as well, Nick and Pete looked at each other and started to laugh.

“Yeah,” said Pete, “we’ll have the penne.”  He looked at Nick and shrugged.  “We’ll divvy up the leftovers.  I’m guessing you’ve got a microwave on the Lenore.”

Nick nodded.  “Yeah, and heating stuff up is my favorite way to cook.”

The salad arrived, and Pete served it out.

“Not too much,” said Jo.

“Just eat what you can,” said Pete, kindly.  He filled two other plates full and handed one to Nick. “So…Lenore…is there some kind of special significance to that name?”

“There might be to someone,” said Nick, “but not to me.”  He explained that he’d bought the boat second-hand and that he planned to change the name.

“Any ideas?” asked Pete.

Nick shook his head.  He knew he’d know the name when he heard it.  Somehow he’d just know it was the right one.

“How about Nick’s World?” suggested Pete.

Nick wrinkled his nose.  “No, I wouldn’t want my name on it.  Too easy for the fans to find.”

Nick’s voice trailed off.  He wondered if that made him sound arrogant…especially since he was sitting here waiting to meet one of those fans.

“What about Weird World?” asked Jordana, softly.

Nick smiled.  “Yeah, that would work, I guess.”

Jo lowered her eyes to her plate.  So Mickey’s not the only fan, thought Nick.  The album’s not even out yet, and Jo knows one of the songs.  He was pleased that she hadn’t made a big deal of it.  It was obvious that the name meant nothing to Pete.

The waiter arrived with the veal and the pasta.  Pete and Nick kept their salad plates, saying they might have more with their dinner.  Jo told the waiter she was finished and that he could take her plate away.  Nick saw that she hadn’t eaten much of the salad, had mostly just pushed it around her plate.

The continued their conversation about boats while they ate their main course.  Pete talked about some of the boats he’d delivered.  He was taking this one down the Intracoastal Waterway to Fort Lauderdale.  Nick was following the same route but continuing on to his place in the Keys.  Jo didn’t have much to add to the conversation after she admitted that she didn’t know anything about boats.

Suddenly, Pete twitched. 

“Whoa,” he said, and he pulled his phone from his pocket.  He flipped it open and put it to his ear. 

“Yo,” he said. He listened for a moment, then said, “but you said…” then listened some more.

Nick smiled.  He guessed this was the missing Mickey.  He hoped Pete wouldn’t insist that Nick speak to her.  Nick hated that…when fans shoved a cell phone in his face and begged him to say ‘hi’ to their friend or sister or cousin.  What the hell were you supposed to say to a perfect stranger, especially one that was either sobbing out how much she loved you or else taping every word you said for playback on the Internet?

Pete wasn’t saying much of anything.  He was mostly listening.  Nick noticed that Jordana had put down her fork and was staring intently at Pete.

“Well, Honey,” said Pete, with a grin, “if you knew who was sitting across from me at this table, you’d be telling your boss to shove his dinner plans.”

Pete listened for another moment and then said, “I’ll give you a hint.  The initials are Nick Carter.”  He paused and then laughed.  “Yeah, that’s right.  Your Nick Carter.” 

Pete abruptly moved the phone away from his ear.  “Jeez, Honey, they could probably hear that in Poughkeepsie.  Settle down.”

Pete listened some more.  Then he placed his napkin on the table and stood up.  “So when do you think you can get here?” he asked  He nodded at Nick and Jordana and walked away from the table.

There was an awkward silence at the table.  Nick ate a forkful of penne.  “This is good,” he said.

Jordana looked at Nick.  “I don’t have much of an appetite today,” she replied.

Nick looked at her plate.   She had barely touched her food. 

“You said ‘jet lag’ before,” said Nick.

“Yes,” said Jordana.  “I just got back from Europe.  But that was over a week ago.  I should be over that by now, don’t you think?”

Nick shrugged.  “Hard to say.  Jet lag hits everybody differently.”

“I guess you’d know about that,” said Jo, with a smile.  “I imagine you rack up quite a few air miles in a year.”

“Yeah,” agreed Nick, “and I hate every one.  So, where in Europe were you?”

“Mostly France,” said Jo.  “I was there for two months.  I made side trips to Switzerland and Italy.”

“That sounds great,” said Nick.  “Was it a holiday or something?”

“Yeah.  It was a present from my parents…for getting my Master’s.  I start work the first of July.”

“Really?  What do you specialize in?”  Nick wasn’t sure that was the correct term.

Jordana didn’t get a chance to answer because Pete reappeared at the table suddenly, snapping his phone shut and taking his seat.

“Change of plans,” he said.  “Mickey’s boss decided they had to continue the meeting over dinner.”  He looked at Nick.  “She’s in advertising.  She always has to suck up to the client.”

“When will she get here?” asked Jo.

“Well, she’s not actually going to get here,” explained Pete, emphasizing the last word.  “She’s going to fly out tomorrow morning and meet us in Charleston.”

“But…” protested Jo.

Pete sighed.  “Jo, you know I can’t wait.  I have to get this boat to Florida by the 20th.  I have to leave tomorrow morning.”

Nick was beginning to feel uncomfortably out of place.  He wondered if he should excuse himself to the washroom and let them finish the discussion in peace.  He was saved from making the decision by the waiter who came over to inquire about dessert choices.  They all declined. 

The waiter asked if they wanted the remains boxed up.  Pete asked if they could have two containers.

“No problem,” answered the waiter.  “Are you finished, Miss?”

Jordana nodded.  Pete looked at her plate. 

“Aw, Jo,” he said, with concern in his voice, “you’ve hardly eaten a thing.”

“I’m just not very hungry,” retorted Jordana, defensively.

“Okay, okay,” said Pete, reassuringly.  He reached over and squeezed her hand.

The waiter returned with the boxes and the bill.  It wasn’t very expensive, thought Nick, adding things up mentally.  He and Pete had had a couple of beers.  Jordana had stuck to mineral water.

“Let me get the tip, Man,” suggested Nick, remembering the look on the grocery delivery man’s face.

“I said it was on me, but sure, if you want to.  That’d be great.”  Pete counted out cash from his wallet.

Nick couldn’t remember the last time he’d seen a restaurant bill paid with cash.  Everyone used plastic these days.  Nick slipped forty dollars under the edge of his plate.  He knew it was too much but better that than too little.

The ride back to the marina was quiet.  Since Nick had paid for the outgoing journey, Pete insisted on paying for the return.  While he was getting a receipt from the cabbie, Nick and Jordana stood without talking.

“Okay,” said Pete.  “That’s done.”

They walked down the dock.  They reached the junction of the T where they would part company.  Pete shifted his plastic bag of food to his left hand and reached out with his right.

“Well, Nick, it was nice meeting you.”

The opportunity had finally come for Nick to be alone, and suddenly, he didn’t want to be.

“Hey, it’s still early.  You guys want to come over to my place for a beer or some wine or something?”  Nick hoped his question didn’t sound as desperate to their ears as it did to his.

Pete looked at Jordana.  “What do you say, Jo?”

Jordana shook her head.  “Nah, I’m pretty tired.  I’m going to turn in early.  You go ahead, though.”

“Are you sure?” asked Pete.  “You’ll be okay by yourself?”

“Of course, I will,” replied Jordana.  It was her turn to reach out a hand.  “It was nice to meet you, Nick.  I’m sorry I wasn’t better company.”

“’S okay,” said Nick, shaking her hand gently.  “You were cool.”

Jordana took the plastic bag of food from Pete.  “Stay as long as you like, Pete,” she said.  “You won’t disturb me when you come back.”

Jordana turned her back on them and walked down the dock.  Pete stared after her for a moment. Then with a sigh, he turned and started walking in the direction of the Lenore.

“Is she okay?” whispered Nick, when he thought they were out of earshot.

“Yeah,” said Pete quietly.  “She just…uh…she’s had the flu.”

“She said ‘jet lag’,” said Nick.

“Oh yeah, that’s right, she said ‘jet lag’.”

Nick wondered if ‘the flu’ meant the same thing he’d thought ‘jet lag’ meant earlier.

“I’ll be glad when Mickey gets here,” said Pete with a sigh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nick and Pete sat on the back deck of the Lenore and had a beer.  Pete asked intelligent questions about the boat but never asked to see below.  Nick was pleased that Pete was aware of this piece of boating etiquette.  It was the same as earlier, when he and Jo had arrived to pick Nick up for dinner.  They had stayed on the dock.  It was an unwritten rule.  You did not step onto someone’s boat unless you were invited.  You did not ask for ‘a tour’.  You waited until it was offered.

Pete had been on numerous boats, according to his travel stories, probably more than him, Nick figured.  After they exhausted details of the engine specifications and top cruising speed, Nick asked Pete if he’d like another beer.  When Pete said, “sure”, Nick invited him down to see the cabin area.

Pete descended the stairs and gave a low whistle.  “Jeez, must be nice to be rich!”  He ran his hand along the back of the leather captain’s chair.

“Uh, yeah, it is,” replied Nick, with a laugh.

“This is great,” said Pete, peering closely at the stereo system built into the wall.  “But I guess it makes sense you’d be into music.  What are your speakers?”

“Blaupunkt 680s,” said Nick.

“Holy shit!” exclaimed Pete.  “You turn those babies up full blast, you might blow the boat apart.” Pete leaned in to examine the rest of the entertainment system.  “Man, you got everything here…DVD, TV…you’ll never have to go topside.”

“Well, there’s that whole ‘driving the boat’ thing,” said Nick, “but yeah, when I’m at anchor, there’s no reason to be bored.”

“I’ll say.  What’s this?”  Pete pointed at another set of plugs and dials.

“That’s for the computer.  I have a laptop.”

“Cool!  Why do you need that?  For charging the battery?”

Nick shook his head.  “No, but it does that at the same time.  That’s my Internet access cable.”

“You can’t have an Internet cable on a boat!” said Pete.

“It’s not like that,” explained Nick.  “I have a wireless hookup in my laptop, but it only works if you’re a certain distance from a cell or a tower or something.  I’m not sure what.  Anyway, if you plug the computer into that, it enhances the signal, makes it stronger or something.  At least, that’s what they said.”  Nick shrugged.  “I’m not planning on using my computer much anyway.  I’ll find out what lies the tabloids have told about me when I get home.  I don’t need to go looking for them.”

“I hear ya,” said Pete.  “This the head?”

Nick nodded and continued with the tour of the boat.  That took them to the end of the second beer, and they went back on deck, where Pete said his goodbyes.

“This is a real makeout machine,” he said of the Lenore.  “All that black glass and white leather.  It’s a bachelor’s paradise.  The boat I’m taking, the Sunset Voyager…now that is a complete ‘old fogy’ boat, all mahogany and velvet.”  Pete looked around once more and then said, “Well, I’d better get back.  See ya, Nick.”

Nick said goodbye and watched Pete walk away.  Then he went below and got another beer.  He looked around the cabin.

Bachelor’s Paradise.

Nick wondered if that was what he should name the boat.
Chapter 4 by old_archive
DAY TWO – Calabash, NC

Nick was up early the next morning.  He made coffee and forced himself to eat some cereal.  He made a couple of sandwiches and put them in a small cooler with some bottles of water.  He knew that once he was underway, he wouldn’t want to stop.  He coated his face and arms in sunscreen and pulled on his hat, a baseball cap with the logo of the Boston Red Sox.  Nick wore it backwards so the brim would give his neck further protection from the sun.

Nick checked all his charts and made some notes to himself.  He had a distance of nearly 900 miles to travel in the next two weeks.  That averaged out to about 65 miles a day.  That wasn’t that difficult a run.  Some parts of the waterway would be pretty slow going, but he could always make up time by heading out to the ocean and letting the engines rip.  With a maximum speed of 35 knots, it wouldn’t take long to make up the distance.

And besides, Nick told himself, he wasn’t in the same position as Pete.  He didn’t have to be anywhere on time…at least not with the boat.  If he got slowed down for some reason, he’d just call Bernie, tell him to get someone to finish the journey for him and then hop on a plane.  Pete had to be in Charleston tonight to pick up Mickey.  Nick didn’t have to be anywhere.

Nick looked at his charts again.  Charleston Harbor was about 100 miles away.  Maybe Nick would set his sights on that for today.  It would give him a chance to meet Mickey. 

A knock on the side of the boat told him that the marina dock boy had arrived exactly on time to help Nick get underway.

Nick rinsed his coffee mug out and set it in the sink.  He took his lunch and his charts and headed topside.  He glanced around the back deck, making sure there was nothing that would get loose or roll around.  Then he climbed the ladder to the top level, the captain’s area.  There was a comfortable leather chair for the driver and a long padded bench along the side for any passengers, co-pilots, backseat drivers or whatever.

Nick waved down to the dock boy and started the engines.  The boy unhooked the mooring lines and pushed on the front of the boat.  Nick put the engines in reverse and carefully backed the boat out of the slip and into the canal.  Then he threaded his way carefully up the canal into the harbor. 

When Nick passed the Sunset Voyager, he saw Pete on the deck with a coffee mug in his hand.  Pete smiled and waved.  Nick waved back.  He didn’t see Jordana anywhere.  As if reading Nick’s mind, Pete closed his eyes and tilted his head, mimicking sleep.  Then he opened his eyes and rolled them, shaking his head.

Nick laughed and waved again.  Then he pushed the throttle forward slightly and made his way out into the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway or the ICW.  The Waterway extends nearly 1200 miles from Norfolk, Virginia to Key West, Florida.  For much of the way, the channel passes between the mainland and barrier islands, so it is only a short distance from the Atlantic Ocean.  The difference in the boating conditions, however, is great.  The Waterway is much more protected from the wind, and the currents are much lighter.  

There are harbors and marinas all along the route.  Nick knew he would pass some fabulous natural scenery and some palatial mansions as well.  Along the upper part of the waterway, the Carolinas and Georgia, he’d pass some pretty remote locales where the scenery and wildlife would be incredible to see.  The Florida section is more heavily populated, and that’s where Nick knew he would see the man-made marvels.

When he traveled alone, Nick was very cautious about leaving the cockpit area of the boat.  Even on open water with no other boat or land in sight, it was an incredibly foolish act to leave the boat running while you left to take a quick leak or get yourself a drink.  But who wanted to turn off the boat and drop anchor every time you were putting liquid into yourself or taking it out?

Nick kept plenty of bottled water handy in the cockpit, and when he needed to relieve himself, he looked carefully around him to make sure he was alone and that there were no buildings on either side of the Waterway.  Then he slowed the boat down and peed into an empty water bottle. When he was ready to get gas or stop for the day, he stopped the boat in the channel and emptied the bottle over the back of the boat into the water.

He knew he was taking a risk.  God knows what the fallout would be if he were caught.  Nick wasn’t worried about pictures of his private parts getting out there.  There were already plenty of those shots.  It was just that what he was doing was tacky, and he knew it.  Still, he considered it more discreet than just whipping his dick out and hanging it over the side of the boat.

Nick made good time the first day.  Charleston seemed like a better and better idea as the day wore on.  It put a lot of miles between him and his starting point and gave him a sense of accomplishment.

Nick spent the day alone.  Finally.  It was just him and the water.  There was early traffic congestion around Myrtle Beach, but that didn’t surprise Nick.  He was expecting it.  He had no intention of pulling into the crowded tourist area.  No one but his close associates and family knew that he was doing this boat trip…and now Pete and Jordana…and Nick didn’t want anyone to know.  The  fans loved to play the game of Nick-spotting, and he didn’t want to have his ‘game face’ on for the whole trip.  If he wanted to frown or cry or howl at the moon, he wanted to be able to do it in private.

Nick didn’t want to do any of those things…at least, not yet.  He just wanted to be alone.

This was something new in his life.  It made the people around him a little nervous.  Nick had never liked to be alone before.  He was always looking for company, for a party… He seemed to feel that being alone was the same as being lonely.  The big Paris Hilton Spotlight had changed all that for him.  Getting ambushed by reporters every minute of the day was unnerving.  He couldn’t get away from them. 

Nick started hibernating.  He holed up in his home and communicated with the outside world by telephone.  Gradually, he even stopped doing that.  He found he liked being alone.  He sorted out his emotional state and his professional one.  He gave himself a long, hard look and came up with a list of resolutions.

Eventually, the process of recording and releasing an album pulled him back out into the public eye.  But this time, he was prepared for it.  He had his brothers with him, and he was set to take on the world. The small up-close-and-personal tour made him ready for anything.  It was great getting back out there with the fans and performing with the fellas again.  It wouldn’t be long before they’d be going at it full-tilt with the summer tour.  That would be great, Nick knew, but before that, he wanted some alone time.

Nick maneuvered the Lenore down the Waterway, waving at boats going in the other direction.  There weren’t many.  It was still pretty early in the season.  Right now, it was mostly seniors, retired people who could afford both the time and money to meander up and down the seaboard. Later on, when school was out, there would be more families, who would rent a boat for a couple of weeks and cover part of the course.  Few people traveled the Waterway from one end to the other. 

Nick watched his charts carefully, checking for shoals and other water hazards.  Bridges wouldn’t be much of a problem.  His boat wasn’t that tall.  He also kept an eye on the weather.  Around noon, the sky started to cloud over.  Nick steered the boat into Winyah Bay and pulled into the marina at Georgetown.  He stayed away from the commercial port with its heavy traffic of ocean-going cargo vessels.  At the marina, he perused the brochures in the manager’s office but decided he wasn’t in the mood for art galleries and small shops, no matter how charming they might be.

He thought about going up to the boardwalk to get some lunch, but it started to rain lightly, so he just stayed on the boat.  He ate his sandwiches and wandered through the boat, opening all the cupboards again and learning his way around.  He finished hanging up all his clothes and then kicked back with a video game.

After an hour or so, the rain stopped, and Nick set out again.  Thirty miles south of Georgetown, he turned the Lenore into the Awendaw Creek and followed it up around a long curve into the Cape Romain National Wildlife Refuge.  He dropped anchor and waited.  Around him, Nick could see birds of many different varieties. 

Soon, a curious dolphin came up to the boat, and moments later, a second one arrived.  Nick kept very still and watched as the dolphins played around the boat.  After half an hour, they moved away.  Nick waited until they were well away from the boat before he started it and moved back out onto the Waterway.

Nick didn’t know exactly where Pete was going to stop for the night in Charleston.  Nick thought it was kind of funny how much he wanted to hook up with them again…at least with Pete.  Jordana was a bit of a downer.  Maybe when Mickey arrived, Jo would pick up a little energy.  Nick thought that would work out okay…then it would be two guys and two girls.  Pete could have a little guy time with Nick, and the girls could do whatever they wanted.  Nick figured his alone time on the boat during the day would be more than enough for him.

Nick checked his book of Coastal Marinas and went over the choices for Charleston Harbor.  There were about six that seemed to fit their needs.  Nick mulled over the possibilities and then settled on the Isle of Palms Marina.  It was less expensive than some of the others.  Nick thought Pete would like that.  It offered marine supplies, a general store and laundry facilities.  Nick knew that none of them needed any of that after only one day out.  There was a restaurant, the Morgan Creek Grill, on the premises and the promise of more nearby.  The thing that convinced Nick that this might be the marina of choice for Pete was the service of an airport shuttle.  Pete had said Mickey was flying in to meet up with them.

Nick pulled into the marina.  He looked carefully at the boats as he passed but did not see the Sunset Voyager.  Perhaps it was still behind him.  He had started out earlier than the others, and maybe they had made stops as he had.  He hoped so.  He hoped they would arrive at this marina.

Nick docked the boat and made his way to the office.  Behind the counter stood a woman with leathery skin and of indeterminate age.  She was reading a newspaper.  Nick waited patiently for her to look up, and then he asked for an overnight docking.

The woman looked him over and then pulled out a lengthy check-in form.  It seemed to Nick that some of Carl Henry’s red tape had made its way to the marina level.  Nick cheerfully recounted his name, the boat name and number, his home address in Florida and his phone number there.  He showed photo identification and handed over the fee.

The woman tore the top copy off the booking form and handed it to Nick.  She rang up the sale on the cash register.  “You’re lucky, you know,” said the woman, as she handed Nick his change.  “We don’t always have an open berth by this time of day.  You’d do better to have made a reservation.  You should think about that next time, especially as we get into the high season.”

“Sure,” said Nick with a smile.  He had no intention of ever being in this marina again, but he had been taught to be polite.  “Thanks,” he said, turning for the door. 

He stopped and then turned back.  “You know,” he said to the clerk, “I have a friend who’s also traveling the Waterway.  Could I make a reservation for him just in case he comes in here?  He might, or he might not.”

The clerk frowned.  Didn’t this young man understand the concept of a reservation?  She looked at her watch.  “Well, it’s getting kinda late in the day, and we still have a couple of openings, so I guess it couldn’t hurt.  But if he’s not here by the time I need one of those, he’s out of luck.”

Nick nodded.  He understood.

“What’s his name?” said the woman, with a sigh, pulling out a battered school notebook.  She poked around among the items on the desk looking for a pencil.

“Pete,” said Nick.  He closed his eyes trying to bring back the scene of Pete introducing himself.  What was his last name?  Nick thought it started with a ‘c’.  Crowther?  Crawford?

“Crofton?” asked the woman.

Nick opened his eyes.  “Yeah, that’s right.  Peter Crofton.”

The woman closed the book.  “He’s already got a reservation,” she said.

“Oh,” said Nick.  “That’s great.”  He was pleased.  That meant he’d chosen the right marina.  He guessed Pete had the same book on marinas as Nick did and had called ahead today.

“Yep, he’s had it for over a month,” added the woman.  “I guess he’s someone who likes to plan a trip well.”

The inference that he was somewhat less worthy than Pete because of his lack of foresight was not lost on Nick, but he didn’t care.  He was going to have company this evening.  Pete and Jordana would be arriving soon, and after that, the hardworking Mickey.
Chapter 5 by old_archive
Charleston, South Carolina – Mile 469

“Hey, Pete!  Over here!”  Nick waved his arm to get the other man’s attention.

Nick had been waiting nearly two hours for the Sunset Voyager to arrive.  He felt a little silly at how eager he was for company.  His much touted desire for alone time had lasted less than one day.  Now he was not looking forward to nearly two weeks with no company but himself and his video games.

Nick puttered about on the boat for awhile, but there was really nothing to do.  He decided not to play a video game or watch TV because he would have to do that below deck and he didn’t want to miss Pete’s arrival.  He got his guitar out and sat on the back deck, playing it for awhile.  After the third person stopped walking up on the main dock area and cocked an ear in his direction, Nick put the guitar away.  Then he got up and went for a walk, wandering among the slips, admiring the other boats that were there and silently comparing them to the Lenore.

He was just returning to his own boat with the thought of a cold beer ahead of him when he saw Pete come out of the marina office.  He was alone.

“Hey, Pete!  Over here!”

Pete looked startled at the sound of his name.  He looked around him quickly and then spotted Nick.  He smiled and waved back, but Nick thought Pete was not all that happy to see him.

“Hey, Nick!  You startled me!  I didn’t think you were going to come this far today.  You weren’t meeting someone at the airport too, were you?”

Nick shook his head.  “Nah, I just like to get the first day out of the way, you know what I mean.  How’s Jo feeling today?”

Pete’s eyes narrowed.  Then he sighed and said, “Fine, I guess.”

“When does Mickey get in?” asked Nick.

“She doesn’t,” said Pete, with an edge to his voice.  “She’s got another meeting.”  Pete said the word ‘meeting’ like it had four letters in it.

“Oh,” said Nick, “sorry to hear that, Man.  I knew you were hoping she’d get here.  I was kinda looking forward to meeting her.”

Pete didn’t say anything for a moment.  “We’re over there,” he said finally, pointing off to the right.  “Where are you?”

Nick pointed to the left.  “I’m over there.  Do you want to come over for a beer or something?  I was just going to get one for myself.”

Pete heaved a sigh.  Then he seemed to give himself a mental shake.  His shoulders straightened, and he smiled.  “Thanks, but it’s my turn.  Why don’t you come on over to Granny Central?”

Nick laughed.  “Sure,” he said.  “That won’t disturb Jordana, will it?”

“No,” said Pete, “she’s awake.”  He looked down toward the boat and sighed again.

“How did she take it?” asked Nick.

Pete looked at him.  “How did she take what?”

“You know, Mickey, that’s she’s not coming yet.”

“Oh…oh yeah…that.  Well, to tell the truth, I haven’t told her yet.  I’m kinda glad you’re here.  She might be less likely to make a scene.”

“A scene?”  Nick did not want to be part of a scene.

“Yeah, she’s kind of fragile these days,” explained Pete.

That didn’t really explain anything to Nick.  “Yeah, you said that before, but you didn’t say…”

Nick didn’t get any further.  Pete shushed him to silence.  They had arrived at the Sunset Voyager.

The boat was much smaller than Nick’s; he guessed maybe 30 feet long.  It didn’t have the sleek contours of the Lenore but was more squared off.  The captain’s chair was made out of wood, and the instrument panel was as well.  The benches around the back deck were also wood with cushions covered in waterproof plastic.

Seated on one of the benches, with a bottle of water dangling from her hand, was Jordana Miles.  She looked awful, thought Nick.  Her eyes were red-rimmed, as if she’d been crying.  She looked up at Pete and Nick and sniffed, swiping at her nose with the back of her hand.

“Where’s Mickey?” she asked Pete.

Pete stepped down onto the boat.  “She’s not coming today,” he said.  He walked past her and disappeared down the steps into the cabin.  Nick remained on the dock.

“Why not?  Where is she?”  Jordana’s voice rose, and the sentence ended on an hysterical note.

“You know where she is,” said Pete, returning to the deck with a beer in each hand.  “Here, Nick.  Come aboard.  Have a seat.”  He turned his back on Jordana.

Nick wanted nothing more than to evaporate into thin air, but he stepped down onto the boat and took the beer from Pete’s outstretched hand.  “Thanks, Pete,” he said.  “Hi, Jo.  Are you feeling better today?”

Jordana glared at him.  “I’m fine,” she said.  She turned back to Pete.  “When is she coming?”

Pete sighed and leaned back against the railing.  “I don’t know.  She doesn’t know.  There’s this big flap going on in her office.  You know what her job is like.  She says she’ll get here as soon as she can.  We’ll keep her posted about where we are, and she’ll find us.  But she wants us to keep going.”  He spoke reassuringly, as if to a child.  “You know I have to keep going, Jo.  I have a contract.”

Jordana pulled her bottom lip between her teeth.  Then she took the cap off the bottle of water and took a long swallow.  She twisted the cap back onto the bottle very slowly and deliberately.

“I know,” she said, finally.  “But it’s just…you know, not what I was expecting…”  She looked down at her feet.

Pete looked at Nick, who was trying so hard to be invisible that he hadn’t even taken a sip of his beer.  Pete rolled his eyes and then said softly to Jordana, “Look, Jo, you know that Mickey wants you here when she gets here, but if you can’t handle it…”

Jordana’s eyes snapped up at his phrasing. 

Pete quickly backtracked, “…I mean, if you don’t want to stay and wait for her, we’ll just make arrangements to send you back home.”  He stared off into the distance, as if calculating.  “Let’s see, we can find out about a flight from Charleston…I wonder if they have information in the office about that…or maybe the shuttle service would…”

Jordana stood up abruptly.  “Never mind,” she said forcefully.  “It’s okay.  Never mind.”  She waved her hands through the air, erasing her mood.  She turned to Nick.  “I’m sorry.  I must seem so rude.  I don’t know what’s the matter with me.  I guess it’s hormones or something.”

Jordana looked from Pete to Nick and back again.  “Oops, there’s a word you guys never want to hear.”  She laughed at the look on their face.  Then she took a deep breath.  “Okay, it’s cool.  Pete, I’m fine.  I’m sorry to be such a…whatever.”  A pleading note crept into her voice.  “But the next time Mickey calls, can I please speak to her too?”

“Yeah, sure, no problem,” said Pete.  “It’s just that you were asleep and…”  His voice trailed off, and he shrugged. 

Jordana turned to speak to Nick, and behind her back Pete rolled his eyes again.  “So, Nick, how was your day?” asked Jordana, as she swept her long hair behind her shoulders and peered at Nick with interest.

“It was good,” said Nick, relieved that some of the tension had lifted.  He thought maybe he’d been right in his original diagnosis of Jo’s problem.  “I saw some dolphins.”

“Really?” replied Pete and Jordana at the same time.

Nick described his sojourn in the Nature Reserve and then the rest of his day.  He told them that he’d pulled into Georgetown at lunchtime when it started to rain.  He asked them what they had done.

Pete answered for them.  “Oh, we just motored on through.  Our little boat doesn’t have the guts yours does.  And it’s in my contract that I’m not allowed to leave the Waterway.  I can’t just zip out onto the ocean and kick it up if I get behind schedule.”

They continuing talking, and then Nick stood up.  “Well, thanks for the beer, Man.  It was nice seeing you again, Jo.”  He handed the empty beer to Pete.

Pete looked at his watch.  “It’s early, but I’m hungry.  Anybody up for seafood?  The restaurant here does it really well.”

Both men looked at Jordana.  She smiled weakly.  “I’m not much on seafood.  Do they have anything else?  Steak?  Or chicken?”

Pete laughed.  “You can get chicken anywhere, Jo.”

“True,” she said, and then she turned to Nick.  “Would you care to join us, Nick?  I promise not to be so moody.”

Nick was torn.  He didn’t want to get in the middle of anything that might erupt between Pete and Jordana, but he didn’t see how he could refuse.  And besides, he was hungry.

“That’d be great!” he said.

Jordana went below to get a sweater.  Pete followed her with the empty beer bottles.  Nick listened to see if there would be any raised voices, but he could hear none.  They came back on deck and the three of them made their way up the dock to the restaurant.

The dinner was a repeat of the night before.  Pete and Nick ate heartily, and Jordana pushed her chicken around her plate, only eating small bites.  Pete encouraged her and tried to get her to eat more by offering her tastes of his meal.

“Come on, Jo,” he whispered at one point, “you’ll never get better if you don’t eat.”

Jordana looked at him oddly but said nothing.  She reluctantly picked up her fork and speared a piece of chicken.

“So how far do you think you’ll get tomorrow?” asked Nick, trying to revive the conversation.

Pete shrugged.  “Hard to say.  I never make definite plans.  I set a minimum distance, and then when I’ve reached that, I see how I feel.  We might try for Beaufort tomorrow.”

Nick looked confused.  “Beeyoofurt?”

Pete laughed.  “B-e-a-u-f-o-r-t,” he said.  “The locals pronounce it Beu-furt.”

Nick shook his head.  “Man, I would never have guessed that.  I have enough trouble with my words when they sound the way they look.”  He noticed a small smile creep across Jordana’s face.

“Oh, so you’ve heard of one or two of those, have you, Miss Jo?” said Nick, laughing.

Jordana looked at him and smiled.  She shrugged and said, “Maybe one or two.”  She paused and them said “documentARIES,” placing heavy emphasis on the second-last syllable.

Nick groaned.  “I’ll never live that one down, will I?”

Pete looked from one to the other.  He had no idea what they were talking about.  “Anyway,” he said, “Beaufort.”

Whether it was the look on Pete’s face or the tone of his voice, it cracked the other two up.  Nick and Jordana laughed out loud, causing other heads in the restaurant to turn in their direction.  Pete did not look pleased.

“Beaufort,” laughed Jordana, picking up a paper napkin and wiping her eyes.

“Yeah,” said Nick.  “Maybe that’s what I can name the boat…the Beaufort.  The fans would never find me then.”

“They might think you were a little arrogant, though,” said Jo.  Then to Nick’s questioning gaze, “In French, beau means handsome and fort means strong.  Although, both those words fit you.”

Nick blushed.

Pete called for the check.
Chapter 6 by old_archive
Pete sighed and drained his beer.

They were back on the Lenore.  As on the previous evening, Nick had invited Pete and Jo back to the Lenore for an after-dinner drink.  Just as before, Jordana had declined, saying she was tired but that Pete should go.  He had.

Nick thought Pete seemed restless.  The man couldn’t seem to keep still.  He tapped his feet on the deck and drummed his fingers on his leg.  His head swiveled every few seconds in the direction of the Sunset Voyager.  He drank his first beer in three swallows.

Nick didn’t understand the concern.  Yeah, Jordana didn’t look so hot, and she sure didn’t have much of an appetite, but she had explained that.  Hormones, she’d said.  Hormones…the flu…jet lag…it didn’t matter what you called it, thought Nick.  It all boiled down to the same thing.  Jo had her period, and in a couple of days, she wouldn’t.  It was just a matter of time.

“It’s just a matter of time.”  Nick said it out loud without thinking.

Pete twitched.  “What?”

“Jo…Jordana…it’s just a matter of time…you know…’til she’s feeling better, ‘til she’s over her ‘jet lag’.”  Nick put finger quotations around the final two words.

“Jet lag?”  Pete looked confused.

Nick whispered the words.  “Her period.  It can’t last forever.”

Pete stared at Nick for a moment, not comprehending.  Then his face cleared.  He nodded and stood up.  He walked to the railing and stood looking out over the water.

“It’s not…” he began.  Then he stopped and took a deep breath.  He turned back to face Nick.

“It’s not her period,” said Pete, with something in his voice.

Sadness or resignation?  Nick wasn’t sure.

After another deep breath, Pete’s voice was stronger.  “It’s not her period,” he repeated, “it’s not the flu.  It’s not jet lag.  She’s got…she’s got…”

Nick’s eyes widened.  Oh no!  Not…

Pete saw that Nick had leapt to the worst conclusion.  He waved a hand curtly through the air.  “No, no, it’s nothing like that.  It’s…it’s an eating disorder.  She’s got anorexia or bulimia or some fucking combination.  She’s been in treatment…” 

Nick tried to process the information.  “She went to Europe for treatment?”

Pete raised his voice.  “No, goddammit, she didn’t go to Europe!”  Pete shook his head to clear it.  When he spoke again, his voice was softer.  “Sorry, Nick.  I didn’t mean to snap at you.  It’s just been…”

Nick shook his head.  “’S okay, Man.  I didn’t know…”

“Of course, you didn’t know.  That’s the plan, you see.  No one’s supposed to know.”  Pete sat down and put his head in his hands.  “I wish Mickey would get here.  I can’t deal with this shit by myself.”

“Hang on,” said Nick.  He disappeared below deck and returned with two more bottles.  “Here,” he said, twisting the top off one and handing it to Pete.

“Thanks,” said Pete.  He tipped his head back and took a long swallow.

Nick sat back on the leather bench and stretched his legs out in front of him.  As he opened his beer, he said to Pete, “I can keep a secret, Man, if you wanted to…you know…get it off your chest.”

“That’s the problem,” said Pete, “at least it’s one of them.  It all has to be a big, damn secret.”  He leaned forward and pointed the beer bottle at Nick.  “Are you sure you want to hear this?”

Nick spread his hands.  Go for it!

“Jo never went to Europe.  She’s never been out of the country in her life.  She’s been in upstate New York at a rehab centre for eating disorders.”  Pete sighed and got a faraway look in his eyes. “She was in a really bad way…she nearly died.  But they got to her in time…Mickey did…Mickey saved her.” 

It was as if Pete had turned on a tap.  The words tumbled out like water.

“She was at school…college, you know…Jo, not Mickey…Jo was at school…college.”

Pete stopped, realizing that the wasn’t making much sense.  He took a long pull from his beer, trying to organize his thoughts.  Nick waited patiently.  After a moment, Pete began again.

“Jo’s a really smart girl.  That’s part of the problem.  She always expected the most from herself…put way too much pressure on herself…trying to please her parents…she was their ‘angel’, their ‘perfect child’.

It was her mother, really, who caused it all.  Jo came home from college at Thanksgiving in her first year.  Jo was always thin, you know, good thin, slender, not skinny-like…  Anyway, she came home, and her mom made some comment like, ‘you’re well on your way to getting your Frosh Fifteen…”    

Nick raised an eyebrow.  Frosh Fifteen?

Pete laughed, but there was a bitter undertone.  “Yeah, apparently when kids go away to school, especially girls, they gain weight the first year…’cause, you know, they’re eating more starchy food and junk food and not so many vegetables.  And, then there’s…”

“…the beer!”  Nick finished the sentence for him.

“Right!  I bet that’s where the guys put on weight.  Anyway, Jo hadn’t paid any attention to it…she hadn’t gotten weighed since before she left for school.  So her mom makes this comment, and Jo goes and jumps on the scales and she’s gained five pounds.”

“Just five pounds?” said Nick.  “Shit, I can put on that much with one trip to Mickey D’s!”

“Yeah, no kidding,” replied Pete.  “It doesn’t sound like a big deal, does it?  But it sure was to Jo. Something inside her just kinda snapped.”  Pete’s voice rose to a female timbre, and he waggled his wrist in an effeminate gesture.  “Omigod, if I’ve gained five pounds already, I’ll be huge by the end of the year.”

Pete’s hand dropped tiredly back to his side, and his voice returned to its normal tone.  “Of course, everyone told her that it was no big deal.  But to Jo, it was a very big deal.  Mickey and Jo were… they…okay…Mickey is prettier than Jo…she’s a real knockout…but Jo was always the thin one.  Mickey’s always run five or six pounds heavier than she should, and she’s a fairly big girl to begin with…not fat or anything, she’s gorgeous, she’s just…”  Pete put his hands in front of his chest, palms up.  “…voluptuous.”

Nick laughed.  “Lucky you.”

“Yeah, no kidding!  Anyway,” Pete went on, “Mickey was the pretty one, and Jo was the thin one, so there was no competition or anything between them.  People always made a big deal about it, ‘oh you’re so lucky, you can eat anything you want’…shit like that…you know how teenage girls can be…”

Nick nodded.  Oh yeah, that he knew!

“Anyway, Jo spent the weekend pushing her food around her plate and pretending to eat.  Before she went back to school, she got weighed…”  Pete sighed and shook his head, “…and she’d gained another pound.”

“Uh oh,” said Nick.

“And Jo being Jo, she couldn’t let herself be less than perfect.  So she made up her mind that she was going to lose the six pounds and then five more besides just to have a little leeway…”

Pete tipped the beer up and swallowed.  “And that’s how it started.  Five pounds leeway wasn’t enough…it was six, then seven, then eight.  She was away at school, so no one knew what was going on.  When she came home for Spring Break, her stupid mother kept telling her how great she looked, and that made Jo determined never to ‘get fat’ again.  Yeah, sure, thanks.”

Nick had held up his beer, offering another.  He took the empties and went below.  When he came back, Pete continued the story.

He told Nick how Jo kept it hidden for nearly two years by wearing baggy clothes…long sleeves, that kind of thing.  It was only when she was asked to be a bridesmaid for her cousin’s wedding that she was found out.  She went for a fitting, and her aunt saw her body and phoned her mother and it all hit the fan.  Jo went to counseling for the summer and then went back to school in the fall, all cured.  

“Except, of course, she wasn’t.  She’d gained ten pounds over the summer, thanks to the counseling and her mother.  That still left her about twenty shy of where she should have been…”

Nick’s eyes popped.

“Oh yeah,” said Pete, “she was literally skin and bones.  Then she became a fanatic about exercise.  She was always working out…walking, running, doing aerobics.  Any stray calorie that managed to make it into her body was burned off immediately.”

Nick nodded.  He hated working out with a passion.  But there was something he hated more…being called ‘fat’. 

“So what happened?” he asked.

Pete continued the story, telling Nick that Jo had avoided coming home her third year of college, instead getting a summer job in the town where the school was.  She and Mickey talked all the time on email and MSN, and Jo was really careful not to let on what she was doing.

“Didn’t anyone at the college get suspicious?” asked Nick.

“It was a big place,” said Pete, with a shrug.  “Jo had an apartment off-campus.  She didn’t live in the dorm.  So there wasn’t anyone…”

“But then Mickey found out?”

“Yeah,” said Pete.  “She hadn’t seen Jo in a while, and we drove up there one weekend to surprise her.”  Pete closed his eyes and tipped his head back.  Then he gave a shudder and opened his eyes.  “We were the ones who got the surprise.”

Pete stood up and started pacing.  “She looked like a corpse…a skeleton…one of those concentration camp victims you see in old movies…all eyes…she was all eyes…”

Pete was silent for a moment.  Nick didn’t interrupt him, just let him wrestle with his thoughts.  Finally, Pete started speaking again, finishing the story…the trip to the emergency room, the enforced psych examination, the hysterical parents and the sojourn in rehab.

“She got out three months ago,” said Pete.  “She was in there for a long time.  She’s kinda on parole now.  She has to get weighed regularly, and if she starts to drop…”  Pete shrugged.

Back to the slammer, thought Nick.  Eating disorder prison.

“I know I’ve only been around a day or so,” said Nick, “but I haven’t seen her eat much of anything.”

“She has to have this milkshake thing in the morning and at lunch.  It’s got protein and stuff in it,” explained Pete.  “That gives her enough calories that she can take the food thing slowly.”  He grimaced at Nick.  “Food is the enemy, you know.”

Nick mulled it all over.  He guessed it all made sense.  Jo was kinda thin and weak looking…more than could truly be explained by jet lag.  But her story sounded so real…

“Why lie?  Why say she was in Europe?” asked Nick.

Pete laughed.  “I guess it’s easier than saying ‘I’m a mental basket case’.  Especially to someone you’re never going to see again.”

And she’s a fan, thought Nick.  She wouldn’t want to look bad in front of me.  “Is there anything I can do?” he asked, after a long silence.

Pete’s head snapped up.  “No!  I mean…uh, no thanks…that’s great that you’d offer and everything, but…uh…like I said, it’s a secret.  She wouldn’t want you to know.”

“Okay,” said Nick, “I’ll stick with the jet lag story.”

Pete stood up and handed his empty beer bottle to Nick.  “Well, I better get going.  And, hey Nick, thanks for listening.  I really appreciate it, Man.”

Nick took the bottle from him.  “No problem.”

Pete extended a hand.  “Well, this might be goodbye.  Who knows if we’ll be this lucky two days in a row…and run into each other again.”

Nick shook his hand.  “Yeah, who knows…but maybe I’ll see you in Beaufort.”  He pronounced it Bee-you-furt.

Pete laughed.  “Yeah, maybe.”  He stepped up onto the dock and walked away, waving over his shoulder as he disappeared from view.

Nick took the bottles downstairs and put them in the recycling box in the cupboard.  Then he turned off all the lights and went to bed.

Beaufort.

Nick grinned into the night.

Beaufort.  Bee-you-furt.

Maybe that’s what he’d rename the boat.  Strong and handsome, Jo had said.

Jo.

Nick stopped grinning.

Jo.

Poor Jo.

Nick thought back over the times he’d spent with her, reorganizing his image of her from globe-trotting college graduate to a neurosis-ravaged anorexic who spoke a little French.

The Beaufort.

Strong and handsome.

Captain of the Beaufort.

Nah.

Nick went to sleep.
Chapter 7 by old_archive
DAY THREE – Charleston SC,

Nick slept late the next day.  The cumulative effects of a long day on the water and the number of beers he’d consumed while listening to Pete’s story were that he slept dreamlessly until well past ten in the morning.

Nick threw on some clothes, pausing over yesterday’s shirt and then deciding in favor of a clean one.  If he might be running into people he knew…

Nick made coffee and ate a bowl of cereal standing up over the sink.  He rinsed the bowl and left it in the sink.  He thought about making himself some lunch before he went topside but decided against it.  He grabbed two bottles of water and put them in the cooler.  Then he took his coffee and went upstairs to greet the day.

It was a beautiful morning.  The sun was shining, and there was a gentle breeze.  It might get hot later in the day, but right now, it was comfortable.

Sure was different from Florida, thought Nick.  Even first thing in the morning at this time of year, it was already hot.  And in the summer…July and August…the heat was so stifling it took your breath away.

And they were starting the tour in Florida…in July…in outdoor venues.  They’d be sweating like pigs throughout the whole show.  At least, he would be, thought Nick.

Nick smiled and finished his coffee.  Getting on the road with the fellas…he could hardly wait.  The mini-tour they’d done in the spring had whet their appetite for more.  The album would be out soon, and then they’d be doing rehearsals, video shoots and then show after show after show.

Smaller venues this time, thought Nick.  A little bigger than the general admission shows…and a little more crowd control.  Sometimes it was scary looking out at those bodies in the front row crushed up against the security barrier, literally taking their life in their hands so they could be closest to the stage, to the Boys, to Nick…

Yeah, Nick thought, those were my fans…mine and AJ’s…Kevin fans were way too smart to get crushed in like that.  They were all hanging out near the back…hearing the same music, seeing the same dances, but able to breathe and move a bit.  Of course, mused Nick, those fans were missing the big opportunity to have BSB water thrown on them…or AJ sweat…or Nick spit.

Nick went below, rinsed out his coffee mug and put it in the sink beside the cereal bowl.  He picked up the cooler and climbed to the top deck.  He turned on the boat, checked all the switches and gauges and placed the navigation chart for this part of the trip in the plexiglas holder beside the wheel.

“Hey, Man!  Want me to shove you off?”

Nick looked down to see a teenage boy standing on the dock.  He was wearing cut-off jeans and a T-shirt that said ‘Rock on!’  A fishing rod and a tackle box sat on the dock beside him.

Nick smiled and waved.  “That’d be cool, Man!”

The boy unlooped the mooring rope from it’s stanchion and tossed it up on the deck.  He pushed hard on the boat and then leaned back, regaining his footing.

“Thanks,” called Nick, reversing the boat away from the slip.

“Nice rig,” said the boy, nodding his head appreciatively.

Nick nodded his agreement and his thanks and then turned the boat out into the canal.  He pressed the throttle slowly forward.  He waved to the boy again.  The boy waved back.  When Nick cleared the channel, he looked back over his shoulder.  The boy was still on the dock, gazing admiringly at the Lenore.

Nick smiled.  He remembered being a kid, looking at every boat he saw, wanting one in the worst way. He was younger than this kid.  This kid looked to be about sixteen.  By the time Nick was sixteen, he’d been on the road for three years, and that was after years of auditions, fits and starts, bit parts, being nagged endlessly by his mother.

No, I’m not going there, thought Nick.  I’m not letting her wreck this trip.

Nick looked down at the chart.  He traced his finger down the route.  He looked at his watch. 

Beaufort.

That would make this a slow, lazy day.  Nick consulted the ICW Handbook, looking over the list of rivers, inlets and coves.  Yeah, here were a couple…Tom Point Creek, SC at Mile 496.  Excellent depth and shelters, totally deserted…Rock Creek, SC, Mile 516, good depth, marsh grasses…

As with everything in his life, once Nick made his decision, a calm settled over him, and all the jumpy nerves went away.  He was going to take it slow and easy today. 

As Nick left the marina, he passed the slip where the Sunset Voyager had been berthed.  The slip was empty.  He wondered how much of a head start Pete and Jo had.  Nick wondered if he would catch up to them during the day.  He wasn’t going to try.  He didn’t really care.  He’d see them in Beaufort…or not.  It didn’t really matter.

Nick wondered how he would react to Jo if he did see her.  Would he be able to keep a poker face and not let on that he knew her secret?  Would she be mad at Pete if she knew he had spilled the beans to Nick?

Well, too bad, thought Nick.  I’ll face that if I get to it.  Right now, I’m just going to enjoy the ride.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Nick moved along the Waterway, he let his thoughts wander, but he never lost his concentration on driving the boat.  His mind drifted along various pathways, hopping from one subject to the next, sometimes with no discernible connection.  Sometimes it was the beauty of nature that occupied his thoughts, sometimes it was his personal life, and sometimes it was his business – the business of being Nick Carter.

Nick saw an egret standing in the shallow water of a marsh, and its skinny legs made him think of Jordana.  What was it Pete had said?  “Still twenty pounds shy of where she should be?”

Nick tried to imagine Jo that skinny.  He couldn’t.  If she even lost ten pounds, she’d be skeletal.  It would be suicidal.

Nick wondered about that.  Pete had hinted at that the night before but had not come right out and said it.  But really, when you looked at it, could you really get yourself into a state like that and not be aware of it?  Could you be so close to death that you couldn’t even stand up and not think there was something wrong?

Nick pondered that for a moment.  Five more pounds.  That’s what Jordana had said when they found her.  On the way to the hospital, she had told Mickey that she was okay, there was nothing wrong with her, she didn’t think she was fat any more...and that she figured she just needed to lose five more pounds.

Five more pounds.

Nick ran his hand across his stomach.  Five pounds.  It was weird how that was the number everyone used when they talked about weight loss.  Woo hoo!  I lost five pounds.  Maybe because the number was achievable.  Anyone could lose five pounds, right?  Ten pounds.  That would be twice as difficult, right?  It would be better to shoot for five…twice.

Nick knew that losing ten pounds was more than twice as difficult as losing five.  Putting on five pounds.  Whole different story!  Easy as pie…or cake…or pizza…or beer…

Beer.

That thought brought Nick back again to Pete.

Poor Pete.

He’d planned this trip to take Mickey on a romantic getaway and propose to her.  Now, not only did he not have Mickey, he was stuck with her anorexic friend who wouldn’t eat anything and had to be watched carefully so that she didn’t exercise herself to death. 

Nick thought about that.  He didn’t think there was much opportunity for strenuous exercise on the Sunset Voyager, unless Jo leapt into the Waterway and swam alongside the boat for a few miles.  It didn’t seem like she was into exercise anyway, thought Nick.  She seemed to spend most of her time sleeping.  You couldn’t use up many calories that way.

Exercise.

Boot camp.

Nick grinned to himself.  Boot camp.  Brian.

Poor Brian.

For once, it had not been Nick who arrived at the first training session the most out of shape.  Brian had gained quite a bit of sympathy weight during Leighanne’s pregnancy and had arrived at boot camp with chubby cheeks and a tummy roll that he called his ‘Baylee Bulge’.  For once, someone else was the target of the sadistic devil hired to get them in shape.

Howie arrived in perfect condition and then worked out harder than any of them.  AJ was as skinny as a bone and worked out when he felt like it.  He was very careful of his knee, but Nick and the others knew it was only when he wanted to be.  When the going got tough, AJ headed for the sidelines with a wince and a wink.

As for Nick, the trainer had run his eyes over him and then pursed his lips.

“I’ll do the exercises, and I’ll sweat like a pig,” said Nick.  “But I’m stocky!  Get over it!”

The others fell about laughing, but Satan the Trainer only said, “Yeah, you’re gonna sweat!”

Kevin arrived in perfect condition and announced that he really wanted to get a program going because he wanted to lose five more pounds.
Chapter 8 by old_archive
Nick looked down at the chart.  He would be arriving in Beaufort within the hour.  He looked at his watch.  It wasn’t that late.  Did he want to go further?

Nick realized suddenly that he hadn’t even considered going further.  If someone took the chart away from him, he wouldn’t even be able to say what was further on. 

So he guessed it was Beaufort.

Now…did he want to be alone, or did he want to try and track down Pete and Jo?  And if he did, how would he go about it?

Nick moved the boat into the opening to Brickyard Creek and cut the engines.  He dropped anchor and considered the possibilities.  He leafed through the book of coastal marinas.  There were seven marinas near Beaufort and a bunch of public boat landings.  Nick figured there was nothing he could do about the public ones.  They had no phone numbers with them.  The marina listings did.  The guide book told him that the anchorages around Beaufort weren’t that great, and it recommended the marinas for overnight stays.

Nick wondered if Pete had made a reservation this time.  It was kinda weird, he thought.  The lady in Charleston said that Pete had made the reservation a while ago, but last night Pete said he never made definite plans.  Nick had a moment’s unease.  Maybe that was Pete’s way of telling him to get lost.  Maybe he didn’t want Nick hanging around them.

Nick paused with his cell phone in his hand.  Should he, or shouldn’t he? 

Suddenly, a loud screeching sound filled the air.  It startled Nick so much that he almost dropped the phone.  The guide book flew out of his hand and skittered across the deck.  Overhead a jet screamed up into the atmosphere from the nearby Parris Island Airbase. 

Shit!  That was loud! thought Nick. 

When his heart was beating regularly again, Nick retrieved the book and found the page again.  Should he, or shouldn’t he?

Aw, fuck it, he thought.  What can it hurt to try? 

He went down the listings.  He called the first number and asked if there was a reservation for Peter Crofton.  No, there wasn’t.  Nor at the second or the third.  Nick was ready to give up but sighed and punched in the number for the Lady’s Island Marina.  He smiled to himself.  He kinda liked the sound of that name.

“Lady’s Island Marina?  How can I help you?”  It was a female voice…a lady, thought Nick with a grin.

“Um…yes, I’m calling to check on a reservation.”

“You’d like to make a reservation, Sir?”

“I might…I’m just wondering.  My friend told me about your marina and said good things.  I wonder if he has a reservation there today…Peter Crofton is his name.”

“Just a moment, Sir.  I’ll check.” 

Nick waited patiently.  It wasn’t long before the woman came back. 

“Yes, Sir, there is a reservation in the name of Peter Crofton.”

“If you don’t mind me asking, when did he make that reservation?”

“I really couldn’t say, Sir.”

“I mean, like did he just make it today, or was it from earlier?”

“Oh, I see what you mean.  No, this reservation has been here for quite some time.”

“Okay, thanks,” said Nick.

“Did you want to make a reservation, Sir?”

Did he?

Nick wasn’t sure.  Pete had lied to him about Beaufort.  Did that mean that he didn’t want to see Nick any more?  Nick didn’t think he’d done anything offensive.  He thought Pete had enjoyed the break from dealing with Jordana.

“Sir?”

“Oh, sorry…yeah…um…sure.  Sure, I’d like to dock there for tonight.”

Nick gave the woman the particulars and told her he’d be there shortly.  He flipped his phone shut and sat back in his chair.  Now that he'd gotten himself into the situation, he wondered how he should handle it.   When he saw Pete and Jo, should he act surprised that he had run across them again? 

Well, Dumbass, he told himself, you sure shouldn’t tell them that you tracked them down.  That’s a little creepy!

Nick leaned forward in the chair.  He started the engine and hit the button to pull up the anchor. 

I’ll play it cool, he told himself.  I’m cool.  I can play it cool. 

He started humming a tune and writing a little nonsense song about being cool.  That kept his mind occupied until he turned the boat into Factory Creek. 

Half a mile later, he passed the Lady’s Island Swing Bridge and saw the marina.  It was set in a marsh, but there was easy access to it from dredged channels through the weeds.  As he approached, Nick saw a man standing on the end of the dock.

The man waved at Nick with both arms and then directed him down one of the floating docks to a slip.  Nick negotiated the passage carefully and within minutes was safely moored.  He turned off the boat, did a final check and climbed down.  The man was waiting for him on the dock.

“Nick Carter?”

“Yes, Sir,” replied Nick, extending a hand.

“Burt Wallace,” said the man, shaking Nick’s hand.  “Welcome to Lady’s Island Marina.  If you’d just come this way…”

Nick followed Burt up the dock and over to the office.  He filled out the requisite paperwork with Burt while a woman…Nick figured it was Mrs. Burt…regaled him with all the amenities that were available and ‘all within walking distance’.  She handed Nick a brochure as he left the office.

Nick headed back down the floating docks, scanning the slips for any sign of the Sunset Voyager.  He didn’t see it anywhere.  Back on the Lenore, he looked over the brochure.  Movie theatre, laundry, restaurants, liquor store…Nick figured the only thing he would need from all this would be gas for the boat.  Of course, if he and Pete had another evening of beer and storytelling, he might need to restock some suds.

Nick decided that he needed some exercise, even if he wasn’t interested in Beautiful Downtown Beaufort.  He stretched his long legs and stepped off the boat.  He followed the sketchy map on the brochure and walked into town.  He passed a Publix and a Walgreen’s.  He went past a pizza joint and thought about stopping, but he was just beginning his walk, and he wasn’t all that hungry. 

Nick walked up the street enjoying the spring breeze and looking around.  He wasn’t in a very picturesque area.  He would have to get off the main street to do that.  He wasn’t sure he was in the mood for ‘picturesque’ anyway. 

Up ahead, Nick saw the familiar golden arches of McDonald’s.  Now there was ‘picturesque’ he could get down with!  He was tempted to indulge, knowing that no one was there to stop him but himself.  He almost gave in to temptation but thought Pete and Jo might want to go out for dinner when they arrived, so Nick just winked at the restaurant as he walked by as if it were an old friend.

After a while, Nick turned around and retraced his steps to the boat.  There was still no sign of the Sunset Voyager.  Nick played a video game, stopping every so often to go up on deck and see if the boat had arrived.  But there was nothing.

Finally, at eight o’clock, Nick gave up waiting.  If they were coming, they would be here by now.  Nick  threw a frozen pasta dinner into the microwave and grabbed a beer out of the fridge.  He drank half the beer while he was waiting for the dinner to heat up.  When he got the dinner out of the microwave and peeled back the plastic, he burned his thumb on the side of the dish. 

Nick threw the carton onto a plate and carried it to the dining nook and sat down.  This was dinner, he told himself.  Let’s be civilized for a change and actually sit down to eat.  He stabbed at the pasta and shoved a big forkful of it into his mouth. 

Shit!  He immediately let the pasta fall out of his mouth onto the plate. 

Shit!  That was hot!  Nick could feel the inside of his cheek blister.  Shit!  He rubbed his tongue over the burned area.  Shit!  He fanned the dish with his hand. 

Then he started to laugh.  Yeah, real civilized there, Nicky!  Spitting your food back onto the plate.  That was so classy! 

He drank the rest of the beer in one swallow and got up to get another one.  By the time he got back to the table, the meal had cooled off enough to eat.  Nick shoveled it into his mouth and got through it as quickly as he could.  The problem with the food being the right temperature was that he could now actually taste it…and it wasn’t very good.  Nick thought maybe he should have succumbed to temptation and eaten at Mickey D’s after all.

But he hadn’t.  He’d been a good boy.  He was proud of himself.  Except, thought Nick, that he had only been a good boy because he thought that he’d be having dinner with Pete and Jo.  If he had known that they weren’t going to stop here tonight, he’d have indulged himself to the max and supersized everything. 

Yeah, he told himself, even my waistline!

Nick went back up on deck with his beer.  He sat in the spring evening and enjoyed the ambience.  He thought about Pete and Jo and wondered where they were.  He wondered if Mickey had managed to catch up with them yet.

At ten o’clock, Nick went below and spread his charts on the table.  He put a notepad and pen beside it.  Now, how far should he aim for tomorrow?  He read the notes from the ICW handbook. 
Hilton Head would be the trickiest navigation part, not because of the water conditions but because of the tourists.  There’d be lots of boaters to watch out for, and if they were just renting, they might not be as skilled as they ought to be.

Nick made note of an inlet called Skull Creek.  That might be interesting.  It made him think of AJ. Skulls and roses.  That pretty much summed AJ up, figured Nick.  Skulls and roses.  The skulls represented AJ’s outward persona…the black fingernail polish, the eye makeup, the tattoos, the whole Goth thing…it was what AJ wanted the world to see him as.

The roses represented the truth about AJ…that he was one of the gentlest men on the planet.  He was a true romantic at heart, and if he would just allowed himself to be loved, he could be really happy. 

Nick wondered if that would ever happen.  AJ had been hurt a few times, and now he had his deflector shields up for sure!!

As Nick moved his finger down the charts, he thought again about Pete and Mickey and Jo.  He wondered where Mickey could catch up to them.  There weren’t many big airports along this part of the coast. 

Savannah.

Georgia.

That looked to be about the closest.  Nick wondered if Mickey would go there.  He wondered where she was coming from.  She had been within driving distance of Calabash, he remembered that.

Well, one thing is for sure, Nick decided.  I’m not going to waste another day trying to track them down. 

He felt somewhat foolish for having tried to do so already…twice, in fact.  He wondered why he had felt the need to do that.  Was it a sudden fear of being alone?  That didn’t make sense to him. Hadn’t he planned this whole damn trip just so he could be alone?

Was it arrogance?  That he couldn’t believe that someone wouldn’t want to spend time with him? 

And what’s up with that, thought Nick.  Pete had seemed so friendly the first couple of nights.  And yet he had lied about where he was staying.  Was that because of him? Nick wondered.

Oh, could you just get over yourself, Carter! 

Nick laughed to himself.  It probably had nothing to do with him at all.  Maybe Pete made reservations all up and down the coast so that he’d have a spot to stay no matter how far he went each day.  He’d made this trip a bunch of times, he’d said.

Or maybe something happened to make them not go very far.  Maybe they were behind him, after all.  Maybe there was some kind of breakdown on the boat.  Or maybe something happened to Jo.

Jo.

Poor Jo.

And poor Pete.  He sure was dealing with a lot of shit.  He was trying to do his job and get the boat delivered on time, and then he had the whole ‘let’s propose to someone who’s not even here’ thing going on.  And Jo and her problems.  Yep, Pete had some weighty issues to deal with.

Weighty issues.

Nick laughed to himself.  Jo had weighty issues.  That was the kind of joke that got him ridiculed by the fellas.

Nick gathered up his charts and put them neatly away.  He turned off all the lights and made his way back to the bedroom.  He peered out the window at the marina.  Good!  There were no lights glaring down on him. 

Nick liked to sleep with the curtains open and the night sky visible to him.  He only closed them if he was under a bright dock light.

Nick stripped his clothes off and crawled under the duvet.  He squirmed around until he found his comfort spot.  He pulled the pillow down under his head.

Weighty issues.

Maybe that’s what he’d rename the boat.

Yeah, right!  Like no one would call him ‘fat’, if he did that.

“Goodnight, Lenore,” he whispered.

In just a few minutes, he was sound asleep.
Chapter 9 by old_archive
DAY FOUR – Beaufort, South Carolina – Mile 536

Nick did not sleep dreamlessly this time.  He tossed and turned in the bed while his psyche churned up all the crap from his life and tried to sort it out, throwing up bizarre images and sounds.

At one point, Nick woke up and sat up suddenly.  He hit his head on the slanted wall above the bed.  It took him a couple of moments to figure out where he was. 

“Man!” he said to himself.  “What was all that about?”  He was soaked in sweat, and the duvet was tangled around his legs.  He looked at the clock.  2:38.

Nick tried to recall the dream, but he couldn’t.  That was probably for the best, he figured.  All he could remember was a feeling of being terrified. 

He got off the bed and made his way to the head.  While he was relieving himself, he scratched his chest and breathed deeply, letting his heart settle back down from his throat into his chest. 

Nick went back to the bedroom and picked the duvet up off the floor.  He fluffed it up into the air and settled it on the bed.  Then he slid between the sheets and grabbed his pillow again.  He lay in the dark, afraid to close his eyes, afraid to fall back into the dream. 

He played with the song he’d been messing with earlier in the day.  I’m Cool.  He hummed the melody and ran some words together.  He tried to think of all the words he could that rhymed with ‘cool’.  Pool…fool…drool…ghoul…

Nick’s eyes drifted shut.

In the morning, he woke up at 6:30 and couldn’t go back to sleep.  He’d had more dreams during the night, but they weren’t scary…just confusing.  Nick had dreamt he was running, and when he woke up, he was exhausted.

A glance out the window did nothing to improve his outlook.  The sky was overcast and grey.  It was going to rain at some point today, Nick was sure.

Nick made coffee and went up on deck.  His plan the night before had been to try for Georgia today.  Savannah, maybe.  Mile 583.  That wasn’t really a long trek.  Not even fifty miles.  There were lots of creeks and inlets en route that might be worth a look.

The rain might change all those plans.  Nick checked the guidebook for anchorages.  If it started to rain, he was going to anchor the boat and wait it out.  It wasn’t that he was afraid of storms, he just didn’t want to get wet.  And it was still May, so the rain would be chilly.

Nick wrote a list on his notepad of various anchorages along his planned route.  He tore off the paper and put it with the carefully folded navigation chart.

He got another cup of coffee and thought about breakfast.  He didn’t feel like cereal today.  He opened all the cupboards and the refrigerator.  Nothing really piqued his interest so he had Froot Loops again.  He made a note to himself that he needed to get milk before he could have another bowl of cereal.

Then he went topside and cast off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rain started at ten o’clock.  The sky had become darker and darker, the clouds more and more threatening.  Nick was just coming up on Broad Creek.  The guidebook recommended this anchorage as being sheltered.  Nick followed the directions, turning east past Opossum Point.  There was a marina there, but Nick didn’t go to it.  He dropped anchor and waited out the rain.

Before the rain started, he’d been traveling slowly, checking out various spots along the route.  Skull Creek turned out to be nothing special, and Nick didn’t spend a lot of time there.  There didn’t seem to be a lot of traffic today…maybe because it was a weekday.  Nick looked carefully at every boat that he passed that was lying at anchor or tied up to a dock.  He tried to tell himself that he wasn’t looking for the Sunset Voyager.

At Broad Creek, after making sure that everything was fastened down, Nick went below to wait out the rain.  He started to play a video game, but the drumming of the rain on the deck overhead and the restless sleep of the night before combined to make him very sleepy. 

Jeez, I’m napping at 10:30 in the morning, he said to himself.  What a wild and crazy life I lead!!

Nevertheless, he pulled the duvet over his legs and was asleep in seconds.  He slept soundly and dreamlessly for two hours and woke refreshed and ready to move on.

The weather had cleared somewhat.  The rain had stopped although the sky was still heavy with dark clouds.

Decision time, thought Nick.  Move on, or stay here?  He tossed the choices around his head.

Lunch was the decision he came up with.  He made himself a couple of sandwiches.  He took a good look at his groceries.  Since he was uncertain where he would end up today, he might want to think about dinner.  He didn’t want to eat another frozen pasta dish, that was for sure. 

Nick spotted the styrofoam container holding the remains of the supper from Vincenzo’s.  He counted the days on his fingers.  Nope, he didn’t want to eat that, didn’t even want to look at it.  He threw the container in the garbage.  Then he tied the plastic bag up tight to keep in any smells, and he put it in another bag.  He picked up the notepad and wrote ‘garbage’ under ‘milk’.

Nick still hadn’t made a decision about dinner by the time he finished the second sandwich.  He grabbed a bottle of water and went topside, telling himself that it would all work out.  He wouldn’t starve to death, even if he did have to defrost and nuke his way to Florida.

“I’m cool,” he hummed to himself, as he checked the gauges and switches.  “I’m cool…didn’t go to high school…don’t follow the rules…but I’m cool…”

Nick laughed.  This was a pretty dumb song, he figured, but it kept flitting around his head.   He started the engine and headed back up Broad Creek to the Waterway.

“I’m cool…I ain’t no fool…”

Maybe that’s what he could name the boat. I’m Cool.

Yeah, right!  No arrogance there, Nicky!

Suddenly, Nick’s thoughts sailed off the boat and into his past.  Cool?  Nope, never.  Not once.  Nick remembered his years in middle school.  He was the skinny kid who was often absent because of auditions.  He wasn’t a jock.  He was a geek. 

Singing and dancing didn’t make you cool in the eyes of your classmates.  It made you ‘gay’.  And not necessarily in a sexual sense…twelve year olds didn’t really understand all the ramifications of homosexuality.  No, ‘gay’ meant uncool, sissified, girlie…

And even though trying out for a spot on the Mickey Mouse Club was a big deal in the entertainment world, it was like painting a target on your back on the school playground. 

Trevor Barker.

The name jumped up in front of Nick.  Trevor Barker, the school bully.  Nick could see his face even now.  And he could hear his voice.

“Hey, Gay Boy!”

Nick shivered at the helm.  He knew it wasn’t the weather that made him do that.  It was the memory of the harassment that he’d suffered from the bigger, meaner boy.  Nick had been under strict orders from his mother that he was not to get in any fights.  He couldn’t go to an audition with a black eye or his hand in a cast.  So he couldn’t stand his ground and take on the bully even if he’d wanted to.  He hadn’t wanted to.  He was afraid of Trevor.  But he was more afraid of disappointing his mother.

Nick had foolishly confided to another classmate, another victim of Trevor's cruel streak, that he couldn’t fight Trevor because he had auditions and performances and he couldn’t afford to get hurt.  In a desperate attempt at getting off the bully’s hit list, the classmate had shared Nick’s confidence with Trevor's best friend.

Trevor had been merciless from that point on.  He had taunted Nick constantly, calling him a wimp, a girl, a pussy…

Nick smiled wryly to himself.  He remembered that the first time Trevor had called him that, Nick hadn’t even known what he meant.  He’d thought Trevor meant ‘a cat’.

The final auditions for the Backstreet Boys had come just in time.  Nick didn’t think he could have survived much more formal schooling.

Nick turned the wheel, moving the Lenore into a slight bend in the Waterway.  He wondered where Trevor Barker was now.  Prison, probably.  Nick had never heard from him again.

That wasn’t true of all of his classmates.  Nick had heard from several of his former middle school colleagues who all seemed to remember being Nick’s best friend at the time.  He’d had requests for money, offers of sex and demands for his time.  He had turned them all down.

The rain started again, and Nick turned into Elba Island Cut.  He dropped anchor in the river and  went below.  He threw in a DVD and watched people shooting each other for 90 minutes.  When the movie ended, so did the rain, and Nick went topside. 

He looked at the charts and realized that he was less than ten miles from Thunderbolt, the marina he had chosen from the guidebook for tonight’s stay.  The guidebook warned that calling ahead for docking instructions was advisable due to the tidal currents and that there were people on site to help with fenders etc.

The guidebook also pointed out that there was a complete yacht repair and refit yard.  Nick sure hoped he wouldn’t have to make use of that.  He was also going to try and resist the daily delivery of Krispy Kreme donuts to every boat.  The recommendation of an excellent restaurant just ¼ mile away was good news to Nick.  It meant he wouldn’t have to microwave plastic food for dinner.

Nick got on the radio and called Channel 16.  He arranged for an overnight mooring.  Will do, said the dockmaster.  He gave Nick specific instructions on how to approach the marina.  Nick listened carefully and did exactly what he was told.  It was tricky working his way through all the channels to the Wilmington River, and it took him over an hour.

When he was safely moored, he went up to the office to pay the dockage rate.  He listened as the clerk listed off the facilities, apologizing that there was no cable or internet access.

Nick shrugged.  He didn’t care about that.  There was fuel and a store where he could buy milk.  That was pretty much all he wanted or needed.  He got directions to the restaurant and assured the clerk that he would come back and arrange for a taxi if he wanted to see historic Savannah.  He did not inquire about anyone else’s reservation.

Nick went back to the Lenore and studied the brochure.  Maybe he should take a look.  He had lots of time to get to Florida, and it wouldn’t kill him to get a little culture along the way.  Maybe tomorrow, he’d check the city out.

Nick looked at his watch.  Then he looked out the window at the sky.  He figured the rain was done for the day.  It would be okay to go for a walk. 

He’d save Downtown Savannah for the next day, if indeed he were in the mood for “sultry ambiance, striking beauty and old-world charm”.  Nick didn’t know if he would want to spend time “enjoying the warm hospitality and relaxed pace of the Old South”.  And he wasn’t really sure he was the type of guy to stroll down “cobblestone streets where century-old live oaks shade magnificent homes, winsome gardens and picturesque squares”.

At the moment, Nick was thinking about the picturesque golden arches again.  He rubbed his stomach and told himself, ‘NO!’  The restaurant near the marina, Teeple’s…Nick giggled at the name…would have much better food than McDonald’s.  And plates and knives and forks…all the stuff grownups used to eat!

Nick forced himself up off the leather sofa.  Let’s get going, he told himself.  He checked the boat carefully, making sure all the moorings were secure.  He debated about locking the cabin and decided against it.  There was a fraternity among boatmen.  You didn’t enter anyone else’s boat uninvited.  And security seemed pretty good here.  And other than his guitar, Nick didn’t have anything on board that anyone would want to steal.  His underwear used to fetch big dollars on eBay, but he wasn’t sure it still would.

None of them was sure of that anymore.  It had been a long time…their Up Close and Personal tour had been a great success from their viewpoint, but who knew really how much of an indicator that was. Sure, they could sell a couple of thousand tickets in any given city, but what if that was all they could sell?

Opinions were divided on it…certainly among their handlers, but also amongst the Boys themselves.  Nick tried really hard not to say anything, not to express any opinion at all.  He’d learned pretty quickly that they all considered his solo effort to be a failure, and his dating Paris was just the “mistake of a lifetime”.  Nick didn’t believe either of these to be true.  But he wasn’t in the position to argue with them.  Or the mood.  He was just happy to be back with the guys making music.

He knew that the early leaks of the music had led to two camps being formed among the fans…the first was Too Much Nick, the second was OMIGOD Nick!!  That sure put him between a rock and a hard place with the fellas.  There had been some hard feelings with the other guys over his solo tour.  Hell, there’d been hard feelings with the guys over everything near the end of Black and Blue

When they came back to record together, post-Oprah, post-solo tour, post-lawsuit…they were ready to record again.  But they weren’t sure they were ready to be friends again.  And they were a long, long way from being brothers again.  The Paris situation hadn’t helped with that.

Or maybe it had, thought Nick.  It sure had put the other four on the same page in a hell of a hurry!

Then they stated recording, and it all seemed to be about Nick and AJ.  The first few songs that were leaked were ones where Nick and AJ seemed to have all the leads.  Except that they didn’t.  Yeah, it sounded that way, but when you really listened to it, you heard that it was rarely only one person singing.

Except Brian.  When he sang lead, he sang lead! 

But he wasn’t much in evidence on the first couple that got out there.  It was all Nick and AJ, according to the fans.  AJ’s clean and sober voice was miraculous.  It made shivers run down Nick’s spine.  Everyone wanted to hear it.  But they didn’t want to hear so much of Nick apparently.  And where was Brian?

Nick knew that everyone would feel better about it when the album came out.  Even the Kevin and Howie fans.  There was something there for everyone.  Nick knew that Safest Place to Hide was going to sneak up on the fans and blow them away.  They were all proud of the fact that only a snippet had got out there.  The fans had no idea that it was this album’s Drowning…a solo performance by all of them. 

Nick couldn’t understand why they didn’t want to make it part of the show in the tour.  After all, it showcased all their voices perfectly.  It was a beautiful song.  They could do it a cappella or with instruments.  But somehow, it didn’t seem to be making the cut.

And Nick wasn’t going to argue for it.  He wasn’t going to argue about anything.  He knew that the way they were mapping out the show, there were going to be two opinions…Too Much Nick and OMIGOD, Nick!

Enough of this, he thought, go get some dinner.  Worry about something you can do something about.  What was that old saying?  God give me the sense to change the things I can and ignore the things I can’t.  Something like that, thought Nick.

Nick stepped off the boat and started up the dock.  As he passed the marina office, he could see a covered garbage dumpster out by the road.  Nick made a mental note to remember to bring the garbage bag out to that before he left the next day.

Nope, he thought, suddenly turning back to the Lenore.  Do something about the things you can do something…oh, whatever…get the garbage now while you’re thinking of it.  By morning, you’ll have other things on your mind.

Nick retrieved the plastic bag from the garbage can under the kitchen sink.  He looked around but didn’t see anything else.  He had quite a collection of plastic bottles, and he reminded himself to look for a recycling bin.

He stepped off the boat and headed for the marina office once again.  Just past it, he stepped carefully over a join with a dock that ran perpendicular to the main one.  Nick looked to his left.  A few boats down…was that the…yeah, maybe that was the Sunset Voyager.

Nick walked a couple of steps down the dock.  He didn’t know if he would be welcome there.  He didn’t know what he would say to either of them.  He looked around but didn’t see anyone.  He went a little closer.  There was no one up on deck.

He could hear something, though.  Someone was down below.

Nick stepped to the side of the boat and listened.  Then he grimaced.

Someone was throwing up.

Jo.
Chapter 10 by old_archive
Savannah, Georgia - Mile 583

“Nick?”

Nick turned around, startled to hear his name called.  Coming down the dock from the direction of the office was Pete.

Nick nodded at Pete.  He lifted the bag of garbage.  “I was just on my way to dump this.”

Shit, thought Nick.  What am I doing?  Apologizing for being here?  That’s weird.

Pete didn’t say anything.  He just nodded.  Then he stopped walking.  The sounds of retching were still coming from the boat.

“Is she okay?”  Nick mouthed the words.

Pete shrugged and rolled his eyes.  He spread his hands in a ‘what can I do?’ gesture.

Nick shook his head in sympathy.  Yeah, what more could the guy do?

Suddenly, Pete spoke.  “So, Nick,” he said loudly, “you’re just like the bad penny!  You keep turning up.”

The retching noises ceased.

“Yeah, I guess,” said Nick, raising his voice a little but not quite as loud as Pete’s, “but I guess that makes sense, since we’re both following the same route.”  Nick felt like he was defending himself for some reason.

“Of course, it makes sense,” said Pete.  “It happens all the time.  So did you spend last night in Beaufort?  Where did you stay?”

“Lady’s Island Marina,” said Nick.  “What about you guys?”

“We moored offshore.  We didn’t have any reason to go ashore, and why pay dockage rates if you don’t have to?”

“True,” said Nick.  “Of course, the rich bastard from Fort Lauderdale would cover that, wouldn’t he?”

Pete laughed.  “I didn’t say I wouldn’t be putting in for it.  I just said I didn’t pay it.”

“Oh, I get it,” said Nick, with a laugh.  He stopped laughing abruptly when he heard a sound behind him.  He turned to look at the boat.

Jordana stood on the  back deck.  She looked awful.  She was even thinner than before.  Her long hair was pulled back in a ponytail, and her skin was paper thin.  Nick could see the blue lines of veins on her face and neck.  Her eyes looked huge.  Nick remembered Pete saying that…she was ‘all eyes’.

“Hey, Nick,” said Jo, in a weak voice.  “Nice to see you again.”  She leaned on the railing and seemed to have difficulty standing up.

“Nice to see you too,” replied Nick.  “Are you okay?”

“I can’t shake this bug that’s got a hold of me.  That’s all.  I can’t seem to keep anything down.”

Nick heard a noise from behind him.  He wasn’t sure if the grunt from Pete was concern or disgust.  And he sure didn’t know what he was supposed to say at this point.

“Are you hungry?”

The question hung in the air.  Nick felt like an idiot for asking it, but after all, he wasn’t even supposed to know about her eating disorder.  And it was dinner time…

“I’m starving,” said Jo, “but I’m afraid to eat anything.  I’ve been living on herbal tea.”

“What about the shakes?” asked Nick.

“No, I don’t have the shakes,” replied Jordana.  “Just the throwing up.”

Before Nick could explain that he meant the daily milkshakes, Pete stepped in.

“You should try to eat.  Do you want me to make you something, Jo?  Some toast, maybe?”

“Actually, I’d like to get off the boat,” she said.  “I’d like to set foot on land again.  Maybe that’s the problem.  Maybe I’m seasick.”

Jet lag.  The flu.  Hormones.  And now seasickness.  Man, the girl had a story for everything, thought Nick.

“I was just on my way to the restaurant,” he said,  “You guys want to come?”

“You bringing your own food along?” asked Jordana, with a small smile, pointing at the plastic bag in Nick’s hand.

“Nah,” laughed Nick, “there’s a dumpster up that way.  I thought I’d drop off the garbage.”

“Good idea,” said Pete.  He stepped past Nick onto the boat.  “Wait here,” he said to Jordana, and he disappeared below decks.

“Nick…”  Jo’s voice dropped to a whisper.

“Yeah?”

“Nick, I need…”   Jordana stopped talking.  She looked down into the galley.  Then she looked back at Nick.  “I need to get off this boat.”

“Here you go,” said Nick, reaching out a hand.  “Careful now.”

Jordana took his hand and let him help her up onto the dock.  “No, I mean…”

“Okay, got it,” said Pete, heartily.  He lifted a black, plastic trash bag. “It doesn’t take long to generate a bunch of garbage, does it?”

He stepped off the boat and placed himself between Nick and Jordana.  “Okay, where’s this dumpster?”

“Up there,” said Nick, pointing out the blue metal box up by the road.

They made their way there and threw the bags of trash into the dumpster.  It wasn’t much further to the restaurant.  Since it was early, they were seated immediately.  Jordana ordered toast and tea.  Nick and Pete decided to split a pizza.

Pete peppered Nick with questions, asking him about what he’d seen on the way and where he’d stopped and what was that like?  In between bites of pizza, Nick described his travels, and when he wound down, Pete took up the tale, talking about birds and flowers and shoals and bridges. 

Jo said nothing, but she seemed to be listening intently.

Nick wondered what was going on.  Should he ask about Mickey?  Neither of them had brought it up.  

“I liked your solo album,” said Jo, suddenly breaking into the nature lecture Pete was giving.

“Thanks,” said Nick.

“Especially the first single.  That was my favorite,” said Jo.  She turned away from Nick without waiting for a reaction.  “So Pete, why didn’t you point out all this spectacular wildlife to me?”

“You were sunbathing on the front deck when we passed the birds,” said Pete.  “I thought you were asleep.  What first single?”

Nick opened his mouth to answer, but Jo got there first.  “It was called Do I Have to Cry for You.  It was what they call a scorching ballad.”  She turned back to Nick.  “You wrote it, didn’t you?”  Her eyes bore into his.

“Uh, yeah, I did,” said Nick, "but..."

Jo cut him off and turned back to Pete.  “That toast was delicious.  I think I might try some soup.  Is that our waitress?  Miss!?”

Now it was Jo’s turn to chatter.  She ordered chicken noodle soup and more toast and prattled on about how the broth might settle her stomach down a bit.  Maybe there’d be soda crackers with it.  Yeah, that would help.  Soda crackers.  Toast and soup and soda crackers.

“Mickey’s not coming,” she said suddenly.

It took Nick a second to process what she’d said, since she’d dropped it into the middle of nowhere.

“Really?” asked Nick.  “That’s too bad.”

“She can’t come, you see,” said Jo.

“She’s too busy at work,” said Pete, jumping into the conversation.  “She finally said just to give up on her…not count on her getting here.  We’ll deliver the boat and go back home.  It’s too bad…”

“I guess you’ll have to come up with another plan for the…” 

Nick stopped talking.  He didn’t know if Jo knew about Pete’s plans to propose to Mickey on the boat.

“Yeah, I guess,” said Pete, cutting across Nick’s words. 

Nick nodded.  Okay, he got it.

Pete smiled and nodded, happy that Nick had caught on quickly.

“Another plan for what…?” asked Jordana.

“A vacation,” said Pete.  “Poor Mickey!  She works so hard.  This would have been a good vacation for her.”

Jo looked skeptical.  She didn’t seem to be finding it a good vacation.  She turned back to Nick.  “I still haven’t talked to her on the phone.  She always seems to call when I’m asleep or…”  She stopped, searching for a word.

“…indisposed.”  Pete filled it in for her.  “Yeah, it’s bad timing, I know.  But you don’t want Mickey to know you’re ‘sick’ again, do you?” 

Nick noticed the mental quotation marks around the word ‘sick’.  He wondered if Jo would.  Would she know that Nick knew about her condition?  What would she say if she knew?

“Why not?” asked Jo.

Okay, that was weird, thought Nick.  He thought everything was supposed to be a big secret.  Maybe it was only supposed to be a big secret from him.

“So how far do you think you’ll get tomorrow, Nick?” asked Pete, ignoring Jo’s question.

Nick hadn’t really thought about it, and he decided that he wouldn’t tell Pete anyway.  If the guy was going to avoid him, let him figure out the way himself.

“I don’t really know,” said Nick, “but this area of the Waterway is tricky.   There are a lot of shoals.”

“I know,” said Pete.  He turned to Jordana.  “The Intracoastal is a federal waterway but when it was formed, all the states along it agreed to keep it dredged to a depth of twelve feet.  It was mostly commercial traffic then, and nobody wanted any boats running aground and dumping God knows what into the water.”

“Okay,” said Jordana, “what’s the problem?”

“Georgia hasn’t had as much economic success as some states,” said Pete. 

Nick thought that was a pretty tactful way of saying the state was dirt-poor. 

Pete continued talking, “and one of the things that they’ve slipped up on is the Waterway.  It’s still okay, I mean, there’s nothing under six feet, and most of it is at least nine…”

“That won’t be a problem for either of our boats,” said Nick, reassuringly.  “It’s just that some of the passages will be narrow and maybe crowded.”

Jo nodded. 

Pete called for the check and didn’t stop talking until they were back at the marina office.

“I go this way,” said Nick, pointing down to the Lenore. “I’ll see you later…or maybe not.”  He laughed.  “I think I’m going to go flex my fingers on my guitar for awhile.”

“Play your first single,” said Jo.

Pete laughed.  “Do you think a…what did you call it, Jo?…a scorching ballad…do you think that might be welcome here in the peace and quiet?”

“I wasn’t going to sing,” said Nick.  “I was just going to play…and by the way, my first…”

Jo cut him off.  “Okay, well, have fun with that then.  C’mon Pete.  Let’s go.”

She took Pete by the elbow and turned him down the dock.

Nick watched them go.  Jeez!  What kind of fan was she? he wondered.  He knew that Now or Never hadn’t been a huge commercial success, but how could Jo have completely missed the first single?  It wasn’t Do I Have to Cry For You?  It was Help Me.  And it had done okay. 

Nick shrugged and turned for his boat.

Help Me.

He stopped walking. 

Help me.

Nick turned back to look at Pete and Jo.  Pete was talking again, his arms moving through the air. Jordana was looking back…looking at Nick…and her face begged for understanding.

Nick nodded slowly.  He wasn’t sure why.  ‘Cause he didn’t have the first friggin’ clue what she was trying to tell him.

Except…

...Help me.
Chapter 11 by old_archive
Help me.

What was up with that?

Nick couldn’t figure it out.  Was Jordana asking for his help with her problem?  What did she expect, that Pete and Nick would take turns sitting up with her, not allowing her to throw up, feeding her…Nick didn’t know what, but he had an image of baby food… spooning it into her mouth…

Except that, Jo didn’t seem to want Pete to know what she was doing… 

Now that Nick thought about it, it had all been very secretive, like a code.  Nick was supposed to get it, but Pete wasn’t.  Jo had done that fancy footwork thing with ‘your first single’.

A scorching ballad.  You wrote it.

Nick thought about that for a moment.  Yeah, it was scorching and yeah, he wrote it.  Or at least helped write it.  It didn’t matter…it was one of the proudest moments of his life.  The whole album was…he couldn’t seem to get that across to people…that he didn’t care about sales and merchandise…he only cared about the product, and he was more than pleased with the product…

Help me.

Okay, if you could just get over yourself for a moment, Carter, maybe you could focus on someone else.  What the hell did she mean?

Was she afraid of Pete?  I mean, ‘help me’ meant that she needed help, right?  

Oh, really, Professor Nick, do you really think so?

Nick pressed his fingers to his forehead.  Okay, let’s review.

Jordana has an eating disorder which is causing her to throw up and not eat. 

That much Nick could attest to because he’d seen it in action.  And even in the two days he hadn’t seen her, Jo had become thinner and more…Nick searched for the word…transparent, he decided on finally.  Yes, she was transparent.  He could almost see through her.

Why does she need your help then?

Nick thought back over the conversations he’d had with her and Pete.  Pete had been solicitous from the beginning, encouraging her to eat and treating her gently.  The only time he’d seemed upset had been when he was telling Nick about it.  And even then, he hadn’t seemed angry…only concerned.

Maybe that was it.  Maybe Pete’s concern was getting in the way of Jo’s craziness.  If she wanted to harm herself…vomit herself to death…maybe she couldn’t do that if Pete was looking after her.

I need to get off this boat.

That’s what she’d said. 

Help me.  I need to get off this boat.

And what did that make Nick then?  A co-conspirator?  What was he supposed to do to help her?  Throw her overboard?

Nick got his guitar out of the case and sat on the back deck, strumming softly.  He played with the tune for his ‘I’m Cool’ song, and then he played a bit of Climbing the Walls.  And then he played Help Me.

He shook his head and lifted his fingers from the strings.  He didn’t want the song in his head.  He didn’t want Jordana in his head.  He hated thinking about things that he didn’t know the answer to, and he sure as hell didn’t know the answer to this one.

He played a bit of Do I Have To… and then stopped.  He stared into space and turned the thoughts over in his head.

Maybe he should go back over there…to the Sunset Voyager.  Maybe he should talk to Pete and Jo together.  Maybe he should just tell Jo that he knew about her illness and ask her what she meant by her message.

And maybe he should just mind his own freakin’ business!  Jo obviously had tried to keep something hidden from Pete.  She went to a lot of trouble to get the message across to Nick.  She sure wouldn’t want him busting in and blurting it out.

But if she needed help…why not just say so?

Mickey’s not coming.

Nick paused.  Yeah, that had been kind of odd, too…the way Jo just threw that into the conversation.  Did that have something to do with it?  Was Jo afraid that Pete would put the moves on her if Mickey wasn’t there?  Nick didn’t think Pete would do that.  He was practically engaged to Mickey, although Jo didn’t seem to know that.

Nick went below and put his guitar away.  He got himself a beer and came back up on deck.  He climbed quietly to the top deck and sat in his captain’s chair.  He looked out over the marina.  The sun was setting, and it was very quiet.  Nick could see the Sunset Voyager.  No one was on deck.

Nick sipped his beer thoughtfully.  Maybe when it got dark, he’d take a little walk over there.  Just to see…

Just to see what? 

Nick shook his head at himself.  If Jo was in real trouble, she could start screaming.  There were closer boats than his.  It was very quiet at the marina, and everyone would hear her. 

Nick still hadn’t decided whether Pete was relieved to see him today or put out about it.  Having Nick skulk around his boat in the dead of night wouldn’t be very welcome at any time but especially not if Pete was trying to avoid him.

Nick would need a good excuse, and he didn’t have one.  He’d already taken out the garbage.

“This is stupid,” said Nick to himself.  “What do I think I’m doing?” 

He finished the beer and went below.  He played video games for awhile, but his head wasn’t into it.  Finally, he turned off all the lights and crawled into bed.  He lay there listening to the sounds of the night…the lapping water, insects, the occasional hum of a distant car…

Nick drifted off to sleep.  He slept soundly for a couple of hours and then came wide awake.  What had wakened him?  He hadn’t had another nightmare.  He was just suddenly awake. 

He climbed out of bed and padded silently into the living room, his ears straining to hear.  But there was nothing…just the muffled silence of darkest night.  Nick crept silently up the stairs to the deck.  He looked around but could see nothing out of the ordinary.  The security lights bathed the marina in a bluish haze.  Nothing was moving.

That’s because everyone but you is asleep, you big dork, Nick told himself.  Go back to bed.

He shivered in the damp night air.  He rubbed his arms as he looked around him.  Nothing.  He saw nothing.

Because there’s nothing to see, Dummy.  Go back to bed!

Nick turned and went below.  He got back into bed and tried to sleep.  But sleep wouldn’t come.  He tossed and turned, and after an hour, he got up.  He pulled on sweatpants and a hooded sweatshirt.  He went into the kitchen and opened the fridge.  He pulled out a bottle of water.  He didn’t want beer, and he wasn’t going to make coffee at this time of night.  Maybe he needed some of that herbal tea Jo was living on.

Jo.

Help me.

Aw shit!

Nick went to the bedroom and grabbed the duvet off the bed.  He climbed up to the upper deck and sat in the captain’s chair.  He wrapped the duvet around himself, snuggling down into it.  He stared over at the Sunset Voyager.  There were no lights and no movement, just as there were none on any of the other boats docked at the marina.

Everyone’s asleep, Nick thought. 

Yeah, everyone but you.  What are you… the Watchdog of Justice?  The Guardian of the Insane?  You are a complete idiot.  You should be in bed.

Nick took a sip of his water and decided that he’d just sit there for a few minutes…just until he finished the water.  Then he was going back to bed.

But he didn’t.

He sat there all night…alone in the stillness and silence.  He stared at the Sunset Voyager, willing the answers to appear before him, wanting the mystery solved.

He thought back over all the conversations he’d had with Pete and Jo.  Nick couldn’t remember one word that sounded like Jo needed help.  He came to the conclusion that maybe he’d been completely wrong.  Maybe Jo really didn’t know what the first single was.  Maybe it was all a coincidence, and he was the biggest damn fool on the planet for spending the night cramped in a chair instead of in his nice, comfortable bed.

Except that she knew that he’d written Do I Have To…  Surely, if she knew that, she’d know about Help Me.

Nick tossed the thoughts back and forth and had just decided that he’d made a fool of himself and that he should get below before anyone saw him when he heard the sound of an engine starting.  He sat up and looked around the marina.

It was the Sunset Voyager, slipping quietly away from the dock.  Quietly and darkly.  There were no running lights on…no lights at all.

Nick slipped from his chair and crouched on the deck.  He poked his head up cautiously peering into the darkness.

He could see Pete at the helm of the boat.  He was steering it out into the channel.  Didn’t he realize how dangerous that was?  Nick recalled how tricky it had been to get the boat into the marina during daylight…with help from experts onshore.  But in the dark?  By himself?  It was foolhardy.

Nick couldn’t see Jo.  Why wasn’t she there to help Pete?  He could use an extra set of eyes.   Maybe Jo was still asleep.  Maybe she didn’t even know they were leaving.

Nick tried to think back.  Had Pete mentioned getting underway early?  Nick didn’t think so.  And why not turn on the lights?  It was almost as if Pete was running away…trying to get out of town without being seen.

Seen by whom?

Nick knew it had to be him.
Chapter 12 by old_archive
DAY FIVE – Savannah, Georgia – Mile 583

Nick stared after the departing boat.  As it reached the end of the channel, Pete turned around and looked back…at the Lenore.  Nick ducked his head out of sight.  He didn’t think that Pete would have been able to see him anyway in the weak light, but even so, Nick hid.

So now what?

So now get a couple hours sleep, Nick told himself.  In the morning, you can head out and if you catch up to them, fine!  Otherwise, mind your own business.  It would be stupid to try and follow them now anyway.  It’s too dark, and you don’t know these waters well enough.

Nick dragged the duvet down to the bedroom and threw it on the bed.  He swiveled his neck and stretched his arms out in front of him.  He reached to pull the sweatshirt over his head, but he stopped.

Shit!

Shit!  Shit!  Shit!

Nick went out to the dining area.  He switched on the light and looked at the charts that were spread out on the table.  He picked up the one from yesterday and looked at the markings he’d made on it while the dock master’s assistant had been bringing him in.

Nick was glad he’d made the notes.  It brought it all back to him and made him confident that he could find his way out on his own.

And was he going to do that?

Apparently, he was, he thought with a sigh.  He went topside and undid the mooring ropes.  He picked up the boat hook, a long pole that looked like a spear at one end but with a hook attached underneath.  Nick used it to push the boat away from the dock.  Then he took the charts and the book and went up to the upper deck.  He started the engine and slowly moved the boat out into the channel, following the trail of the Sunset Voyager.

Nick was careful not to go too quickly…for two reasons.  First, he wanted to make sure he was safe, that he didn’t run aground on a shoal.  Secondly, he didn’t want to catch up to Pete and Jo.  He didn’t want Pete to know that Nick was following him.

For the hundredth time, Nick wondered what the fuck he was doing.  There were many different ways out of the Wilmington River back to the Waterway.  And who even knew if Pete would go that way?  If he was looking to avoid Nick, wouldn’t Pete backtrack, maybe hide out in one of the creeks?

You’re making a lot of assumptions here, Nick told himself.  First of all, when did Pete become the bad guy?  How do you know that he’s hiding from you?  It’s possible that the guy just left early…to avoid the traffic that they had talked about last night. 

But without lights?

Maybe he didn’t want to wake Jo.

Because she’s sick. 

She’s physically sick and mentally sick.

She needs help, all right, but not from you, whispered Nick’s brain.  She needs it from a shrink or something.  If you keep having these paranoid fantasies, maybe you can go crazy too.  Maybe you can have the couch next to hers in the psychiatrist’s office.

Turn back, Nick told himself.  Or pull over and drop anchor until daylight.  Do the smart thing for once.

It all made sense.  It was all good advice.

But Nick pushed the throttle forward and headed up the channel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It took Nick over an hour and a half to negotiate his way out of the Wilmington River and back to the Waterway.  He moved very slowly and carefully, checking the chart often and squinting at every sign he passed.  He wished he were doing this in daylight.  There was some pretty scenery…some really big houses…old ones, not nouveau-riche crap.  Nick knew he’d see enough of that when he got to Florida.

Nick passed the entrance to the Herb River.  He looked up it, but he couldn’t see any boats.  He couldn’t see much of anything in the early dawn light.  The glare from his own lights made it more difficult to see anything further away.

It was light by the time he reached the Isle of Hope.  Nick thought that was a great name.  There were some really neat old houses along the shore and also a couple of yacht clubs.  Nick figured there was some Old South money in this area. 

Nick looked down at the chart.  Next up was Moon River.  The guidebook warned against entering this river.  It was only about four feet deep and not very wide.  There was no way the Lenore could go up there and probably not the Sunset Voyager either.

The guidebook gave several different warnings about how to navigate through Hell Gate.  Like the name wasn’t enough, thought Nick.  Jeez!  Nick picked his way through carefully, staying away from the shoals.  They were clearly marked, Nick saw, which made him feel relieved.  He guessed other people hadn’t been as lucky and had grounded on them. 

Nick wondered how many incidents it took to get a warning sign.  It was like when you saw that they were putting up stoplights at an intersection.  You wondered how many accidents had happened there, how many petitions had been signed, how many bouquets of flowers had been left to mark the spot of tragedy.

Oh, so now it’s tragedy, thought Nick.  What are you doing to yourself?  This was supposed to be two weeks of quiet contemplation, just you and nature or whatever.  And you’re turning it into a three-act melodrama, complete with code words and hidden signals.  And you’re ready to believe that someone is a bad guy just ‘cause he maybe didn’t want to spend the whole trip with you.  And all the guy has done so far is to look after his girlfriend’s neurotic girlfriend.

I’m an idiot, thought Nick.  I should make my way out onto the ocean and rev this baby up to the max and get well away from Pete and Jo and the whole stupid scenario.  Who knew if he would run into them again, and if he did, who knew what new insane story Jo would have to tell?!  Maybe she was desperate for attention or something. 

And then a guilty thought slipped unbidden into Nick’s mind.  Jo was a fan.

Nick shook his head to drive the thought away.  Instead he concentrated on his charts.  He was coming up on Bear Island.  He could go either way to go around it.  The water was deep enough on either side, according to the charts, so it was just a case of picking which way to go.  Nick’s instinct was to go to the right.  That seemed the natural thing to do.  But for some reason, he decided not to.  He swung the boat to the left.

She’s a fan.

Yes, Jo was a fan, and according to both her and Pete, Mickey was an even bigger one.  Jo had proved that she wasn’t quite right in the head, what with the eating disorder and all, so maybe she was doing her best now to have a ‘fan encounter’ story to tell Mickey.  It was a pretty whacked-out story, but then Jo was a pretty whacked-out girl.

And Nick knew that there was almost nothing some fans wouldn’t do to get a piece of the Boys.  Not all of them, of course, not even most of them.  Most of their fans just listened to the music and came to the concerts and bought t-shirts and stuff. 

But when they got up close and personal, some of them got weird.  Nick found it ironic that they had called the mini-tour the Up Close and Personal Tour.  He was always saying that in interviews…that they wanted to get up close and personal with the fans.  But he meant behind a wall of security guards and a big steel barrier.

Nick loved signing autographs and answering questions in fan conferences and stuff.  He liked it when it was controlled.  He didn’t like chance encounters.  He wasn’t prepared for them, and you just never knew what people would do.  Nick thought about the crazy questions that they asked in fan conferences in front of other people.  And he knew that when they had you alone, they asked even weirder stuff.

And then they talked about it. 

On the Internet. 

The World Wide Fucking Web!

Nick and Kevin had begun checking the fan sites when they were on tour to get the reaction to the concerts.  There was no point in reading the reviews.  They were never good.  American critics didn’t like them…never had, never would.  So tuning in to LiveDaily or the Mature Fan Club gave them a better idea of how the concert had gone over with the people that counted. 

Nick always checked out Not-Like-You because it had most of the stuff right on the front page.  He didn’t have to go looking for it.  It was amazingly up-to-date with pictures and announcements …and it was mostly about him.  It had been set up during his solo outing, and it had been very supportive.  Nick liked having a place to go to hear good things about himself.  But it was there that he’d heard the most bizarre thing in his life.

Brian didn’t bother with the message boards.  He didn’t care.  He had other things to think about...the wife, the kid, God… 

Howie didn’t even know what a message board was, thought Nick.  He wasn’t much into computers.  If he needed information, he’d pull out his cell phone. 

AJ checked sometimes, but his ego was so fragile that he was afraid he might read something bad about himself, so he mostly just listened when Nick or Kevin gave the reports.

Kevin only went there to get fan reactions to the concerts and the music.  He didn’t read any of the threads that were fan-generated, the Show Your Howie Love kind of thing. 

Nick tried not to read those, but he couldn’t seem to stay away from them.  It was like picking at a scab. You knew you shouldn’t, you knew it would make it worse, but you couldn’t help it.  Nick remembered the weirdest day ever.  It was the day he found out that the fans had given his penis a name.

Thor.

Like it was a separate person. 

It had taken Nick a while to figure it out.  He’d almost gone to the fellas to ask them but…Nick turned his eyes skyward…thank heaven he’d figured it out by himself first.  He’d never have lived it down if he’d told the other guys.

It was on a thread about one of the first concerts.  A fan on Not-Like-You had written that Thor was really dancing well tonight. 

Who was Thor? wondered Nick. 

He scrolled back up to the accompanying picture but could only see himself, AJ and Brian.  He scrolled down again and was dismayed to read further mentions. 

Thor was sure having a good time. 

During Larger than Life, Nick grabbed Thor. 

Who the hell was Thor? 

Nick closed his eyes and went over the song in his head, picturing the choreography.  Suddenly, he sat up straight and said, ‘Omigod’.  He knew he was blushing, and he was glad he was alone.  He quickly went back to the top and read each comment carefully, becoming more and more appalled with each new reference.

Nick hadn’t checked the Internet for nearly a week after that, and he’d stayed away from the fan comments for even longer.  But he’d slowly gotten back into checking every so often.  He didn’t know why. 

And fan encounter stories? 

They were even weirder.  Because the fans kept saying what the Boys thought.  Nick could understand a description of what they said and did, but how the hell could the fans believe they knew what the Boys were thinking?

The Boys had learned to be very careful about what they said because the poster put down every word that was said.  Then the other posters jumped on board to analyze it word by word.  It freaked Nick out, and every time he’d mention it to the fellas, Kevin would say, “Then stop reading the goddamn stuff!”

Nick looked down at the chart.  He was coming up on Redbird Creek.  He checked his watch.  It wasn’t lunchtime yet, but he was hungry.  He’d been up early…hell, he’d hardly been to bed.  The guidebook said that the water was really deep and that around the first bend was a really pretty lagoon area with lots of birds and other wildlife.

Yeah, thought Nick, I’ll pull in there.  That’s the kind of wildlife I want, birds and squirrels…not fans with cameras and cell phones.  I’ll anchor the boat, make something to eat, enjoy the birds and have a nap.   For a moment, he considered that maybe naps were becoming too much a part of his life.  But he’d learned on tour, they’d all learned, you slept when you could.  And he sure as hell hadn’t slept much last night.  He’d been too busy being out of his freakin’ mind!

Nick negotiated the turn into the creek.  He reminded himself that he wanted to be alone.  His entire purpose on coming on this trip was to be alone.  And that was what he was going to do.  Pete and Jo could do whatever wherever, and Nick didn’t care.  He hoped he never saw either of them again.

Nick moved the Lenore up the middle of the creek and around the bend.  Ahead of him, lying at anchor, was the Sunset Voyager.

Chapter 13 by old_archive
Redbird Creek, Georgia – Mile 606

Nick pulled back on the throttle.  Now what?  He didn’t see any movement on the boat.  Both Pete and Jo must be below.  Nick wondered if he could quietly turn the Lenore around and get the hell out before he was spotted.  He looked to his left to see if there was room. 

There wasn’t.  He was going to have to go further up the river to the lagoon in order to turn around.  Was it possible to tiptoe with a 45 foot boat?

“Hey, Nick!”

Nick turned.  It was Pete, waving at him from the back deck of his boat.

Nick waved back but didn’t say anything.  Pete made large circles with his hands, directing Nick to back up and pull up alongside the Sunset Voyager

Okay, thought Nick.  He made the maneuver as Pete yelled out instructions.  There was still no sign of Jo.

Nick dropped anchor and looked around.  He was very pleased with the way he had handled the Lenore.  She lay only a few feet from the other boat.  He turned off the engine and went down to the lower deck.

“Hey, Pete!” he called out, “Where’s Jo?”

Nick looked at his watch.  Surely, she couldn’t still be sleeping.

“She’s making some sandwiches.  We got an early start and haven’t had breakfast yet so we decided to go straight to lunch,” answered Pete.  “Hey, Jo,” he called down below, “make an extra sandwich or two, we’ve got company.”

“What do you mean?” asked Jo.  “How could we have…?”  Jordana’s head appeared at the stairs.  “Oh, hi Nick!”

Nick tried to gauge Jo’s reaction to him.  It seemed fairly neutral.  It didn’t seem like she was afraid or nervous or anything.

Great! he told himself.  Now I’m doing what the fans do.  I’m trying to figure out what she’s thinking.  I’ll be sure to put it in my Internet report.

“You must have got a pretty early start yourself,” said Pete. 

“I couldn’t sleep,” said Nick.  “I figured it was just best to get up and get going.  You know how when you try to go back to sleep, you just end up having stupid dreams, and then when you do wake up, you’re even more tired.”

Speaking of stupid, Nick said to himself.  You’re explaining way too much.  Shut the fuck up!

“I know what you mean,” said Pete.  “Do you want to come over here for lunch?  Or do you just want me to throw the sandwich over to you?”  He laughed.

Nick didn’t know what he wanted to do.  He wasn’t ready for this situation.  That was the problem with real life, he thought.  No rehearsal.

“Um, sure…I can do that.  Here!”

Nick tossed a line to Pete, and they looped it over the rails, lashing the boats together.

“Why don’t we go over there?” asked Jo, appearing in the galley hatchway.  She was carrying a platter of sandwiches.  “There’s lots more room.”

“Can you make it across?” asked Nick, wondering if Jo was strong enough.  He wasn’t really sure how much strength she had.  She still looked like she’d blow over in a strong breeze, but there was some color in her cheeks this morning.

“No problem as long as you hold steady,” she replied with a grin.  “I can even bring the sandwiches.  I used to do gymnastics in school.”

Gymnastics, thought Nick.  Yeah, that made sense.  Those gymnastics girls were always starving themselves.  And ballet dancers.  They had to be starving themselves.  There was no way they could be that thin naturally.

A cough from Jordana made Nick realize that he was staring stupidly into space, saying nothing.  He reached out his hands for the sandwiches.

“Thanks,” said Jordana, handing the platter over. 

Nick took the sandwiches and set them on the bench at the back of the boat.  He turned back to assist Jo across, but she had disappeared.  Instead, it was Pete who jumped lightly from one boat to the other.

“Isn’t this a great spot?” asked the dark-haired man.  “I stop here every time when I come through with a boat.  I was telling Jo earlier, this is the best spot for appreciating Mother Nature.”

“Appreciate this,” called Jo, from the other boat.

When the men looked up, she tossed them a plastic bag.  Nick fielded it neatly and saw that it contained carrots and celery.

“Anyone want dip?”

Nick and Pete shook their heads.  No, this was good.

“Drinks?”

“Don’t worry about that, Jo,” said Nick, “I got that covered.”

He turned to Pete.  “What can I get you?”

”Water,” said Pete.  “I don’t drink and drive.”

“Me neither,” said Nick, “What about you, Jo?”

“Anything but herbal tea,” said Jordana, accepting Nick’s hand to assist her climbing from the Sunset Voyager to the Lenore.  “I don’t think I’ll ever have herbal tea again.”

Jo paused.  “Not that it wasn’t tremendously sweet of you to make it for me, Pete,” she said.  “It was really, really thoughtful of you.”

Pete waved a hand through the air, erasing the thanks.  “Okay, we’ve got ham and cheese here, Nick.  Is that okay?”

Nick shrugged.  Food was food.  “Sounds good to me.  So, water?”

Jordana had not stated her beverage preference.  She nodded.

Nick went below and returned with three bottles of water.  He also grabbed some paper napkins and three small paper plates.  He offered them almost apologetically, as if it were unmanly or something.

“Thanks,” said Pete succinctly, accepting the plate, the napkin and the water.

“Good thought,” said Jo, nodding at the napkins and plates.  She twisted the top off the water bottle and drank deeply.  She finished almost the whole bottle in one long series of swallows.  “I’m so dehydrated lately.  I don’t know why.”

Nick and Pete exchanged a glance, but neither said anything.

They fell to and ate their sandwiches in silence.  Nick watched the other two as he ate. They seemed very comfortable with each other.  Jordana wasn’t making any kind of signals to him.  She wasn’t winking or anything.  She wasn’t spelling out semaphore messages with her carrot sticks.  In fact, she wasn’t paying any attention to him at all.  And she was eating.  She ate an entire sandwich and a handful of carrot sticks.

They finished their sandwiches, and there was a silence.  It wasn’t nerve-wracking, thought Nick.  They all seemed to look around and appreciate where they were.  It was silent.  There were no other boats or humans there. 

Pete began softly to describe the birds that were on the surrounding shoreline.

“Look over there,” he whispered, “It’s a…”  And then he gave a description of the bird and its interaction with nature and the area. 

He was very knowledgeable, and Nick was impressed.  Pete sure knew what he was talking about. 

Nick chanced a glance at Jordana.  Would she try to signal him?  He had paid very close attention to everything she had said so far, trying to look for hidden meaning.  But he couldn’t find any.  Jo hadn’t said much, and Nick didn’t think there was a secret code in the beverage choices.  The only thing she’d actually mentioned was the herbal tea.  And she’d been effusive in her thanks to Pete about it.

So now what?

Where did ‘help me’ come into ‘I’m ever so grateful for the herbal tea.’?

Suddenly, Jordana stood up.  “That water’s gone right through me.  I need to use the bathroom.”

Nick hesitated.  He knew he should offer his but he didn’t want her throwing up on his boat.  He didn’t want her throwing up, period!  Jeez!  Had the food even hit her stomach yet?

“I’ll just go back over,” said Jordana.

Nick knew he had waited too long, and that he’d insulted her.  “No, use mine.  Go ahead.”

“No, that’s okay,” replied Jo.  She jumped lightly over to the Sunset Voyager and disappeared below. 

Nick and Pete looked at each other.  Neither said a word.  Both listened carefully.  They couldn’t hear anything.  A few minutes later, Jordana returned.

“So where are you docking tonight?” asked Pete, suddenly.

Nick shrugged.  “I don’t know yet.”

“Since we got such an early start, I figured we’d try for St. Simon’s Island,” said Pete.

“Wow!  That’s a hike!” exclaimed Nick.

“Yeah, I know, but it’s got a great marina there, the Golden Isles.  It’s got a lot of facilities and there’s a great restaurant not too far away!”

“Sounds good,” said Nick.  “Do you need a reservation at the marina?”

“I’ve got one,” said Pete.  “Do you have your guidebook handy?  It’ll have the phone number.  We’ll tidy this up.” 

“I’ll get those,” said Jo, picking up the plates and napkins and stacking them by the hatchway.

Nick climbed to the upper deck and came back with the guidebook.  He found the number and called.  He made the reservation and agreed to call on the radio when he got close for specific docking instructions and assistance.

“There!  That’s done!” he said, turning around.  “So, what do you think, Jo…?”  Nick was just about to ask Jordana if she would like to ride with him for awhile.  Then he would be able to ask her point blank what she had meant by the nonsense the night before.

But Jo wasn’t there.  She’d taken the empty sandwich platter over to the Sunset Voyager.

“Hey, Pete, do you want Jo to ride with me for awhile?” Nick asked quietly.

“No,” said Pete, abruptly.  Then he looked over at the other boat.  He dropped his voice to a whisper.  “It might not be safe.”

Before Nick could ask Pete what he meant by that, Pete stood up and jumped over to his boat.  “Well, we’ve got some miles to cover, so we’d better get going.”

He unlashed the rope from the railing and shoved hard on Nick’s boat.  A gap of six feet opened between the two vessels.  Pete started the engine and pulled up the anchor. 

Jordana appeared in the doorway.  She looked over at Nick.  He waved and said, “I’ll see you later.”

Jordana looked over her shoulder at Pete.  Then she turned back to Nick and mouthed a word.

Nick couldn’t make it out.  “Pardon?” he called out.

Jordana clamped her lips together and looked at Pete again.  Pete turned to Nick and waved.  Then he pushed the throttle forward.

Nick waved back and then looked at Jo.  She had a weird look on her face, and she mouthed the word again.  Nick shrugged and held out his hands in frustration.  What?

As the boat slowly moved away, Jo tried one last time.  She formed the syllables slowly and clearly, and this time Nick got it.

He got it, but he didn’t have the first clue what it meant.  The word Jo had said was, “Garbage.”
Chapter 14 by old_archive
Garbage.

What the…?

Garbage?

Nick mouthed the word back to Jo.  “Garbage?”

Jo nodded, and relief flooded her face.  Then the Sunset Voyager went around the bend in the river and disappeared from view.

Okay, so it was ‘garbage’.  What did that mean? 

Nick had been emptying the garbage the night before when he’d run across them in Savannah.  Was that what she meant? 

Nick thought back, trying to remember the exact sequence of events.

He’d heard Jo throwing up, and then Pete had come, and Jo said she had to get off the boat.  And then they took the garbage to the dumpster and went to dinner where she did that ‘Help me’ thing.

Oh shit, were they back to that?

Nick picked up the empty water bottles and took them below to the recycling bin.  He sighed.  Another freakin’ mystery. 

Mystery Girl.

Was that it? he wondered.  Jo was trying to be a mystery girl?

Nick went back on deck and grabbed the used paper plates and napkins.  He took them below and put them in the trash under the sink.

Mystery Girl.

Completely Fucked-up Mystery Girl was more like it, thought Nick.  He grabbed another bottle of water and went topside.  He looked around at the scenery.  It really was a beautiful spot here.  Nick had enjoyed Pete’s commentary on the wildlife.  And the sandwich was good too.

Nick laughed.  It must have been a hell of a good sandwich because Jo actually ate one.  A whole one.  And carrots to boot!

Not just a stupid protein milkshake.

Something scratched at the back of Nick’s mind.  Protein shakes.

She has to have this milkshake in the morning and at lunch.

That’s what Pete had said.  And yet, when Nick referred to the shakes the day before, Jo thought he meant ‘trembling’. 

And she said she’d been living on herbal tea.  She never mentioned the shakes.

And…and…

Nick’s head was spinning as he tried to put his thoughts together.  And…Pete said, “We haven’t had breakfast and decided to go straight to lunch.” 

Where were the shakes?

And what does it have to do with garbage?

Aw fuck it, thought Nick.  Tonight at St. Simon’s Island, he was just going to ask her.  In front of Pete.  Nick was sick of playing games.  And then he was going to bust out into the Atlantic and go like hell for the Keys.  This trip had seemed like such a good idea, and now it was turning out to be a big pain in the butt.

Nick climbed the ladder to the top deck.  He checked his charts and got ready to move out.  He looked around for his coastal guidebook but didn’t see it.  Then he remembered.  He’d taken it below to look for the number for the marina.  That’s right.  He’d been making notes in it while Pete and Jo had…

Nick froze.  He closed his eyes and brought the picture back before him.  Pete was putting the bag of leftover vegetables on the sandwich platter, and Jo was…

Nick flew down the stairs to the main deck.  Then he dropped below to the kitchen.  He pulled the trash bin out from under the sink. 

…Jo was picking up the garbage. 

Nick pulled the paper plates and napkins out of the bag.  He looked at each plate, turning it over.  There was nothing written on any of them.

Of course, there isn’t, you dummy!  How could she write anything on it?  She didn’t have a pencil with her.  And what was she going to do, write a secret message right in front of Pete?  He’d been there the whole time.

No, wait, that wasn’t right.  Well, yeah, it was right that Pete had been there the whole time but Jo hadn’t.  She’d gone back across to the Sunset Voyager to go to the bathroom.

Think! Nick ordered himself.  When Jo came back, did she have anything with her? 

Nick closed his eyes and pressed his fingers to his forehead.  Was she carrying anything? 

No, he decided, she wasn’t.  She had her hands in her pockets.

Nick picked up the first napkin.  He turned it over carefully.  There was nothing on it.  The second one was scrunched up in a ball, and there was nothing written on it either.

But there was something written on the little piece of paper that fell out of the napkin.

He’s trying to kill me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nick stared at the words.

He’s trying to kill me.

What the fuck?

Now Nick was really confused.  If Jo thought Pete was trying to kill her, why was she still on the boat?  Nick wouldn’t stay on a boat for five seconds with someone he thought was trying to kill him.  And why all this stupid mystery message crap?  Why not just come right out and say it?

Either way, Nick decided, he wasn’t going to solve anything sitting here.  He grabbed the guidebook and went to the upper deck.  He started the boat and pulled up the anchor.  He steered the boat around and left the channel.  He moved slowly and steadily, wanting to catch up to the Sunset Voyagerbut not overtake it…just keep it in his sight until he figured out what he was going to do.

Nick moved the boat through the water, wondering again why Jo didn’t just jump overboard and swim to Nick’s boat if she thought her life was in danger.

And what would you have done then? Nick asked himself.

Nick thought about it as he negotiated a tricky channel with a lot of shoal markers.  What would he have done if Jo had suddenly leapt into the water and swum to the Lenore, crying out “He’s trying to kill me.”

Nick knew what he would have done.  He would have fished her out of the water and waited for Pete to bring the Sunset Voyager around and explain.

And what explanation would Pete have given him?

Nick thought about that one too.  And he figured he knew the answer.  Pete would have said that Jo was out of her fucking mind, that she was now paranoid and crazy to go along with anorexic and suicidal.

And Nick was sure that he would have believed Pete.  So far, he had seen a lot of evidence that Jordana Miles was not right in the head and had a host of problems.  All he’d seen of Pete was good humor and a caring personality.

But that didn’t matter, really.  It didn’t matter what the truth of the situation was, it only mattered what Jo thought.  If she believed that she was in danger, that had to be dealt with.

“It might not be safe.” 

Nick suddenly remembered what Pete had said when Nick offered to let Jo ride with him for a while.

Not safe for whom?  Jo?  Nick?

Was Pete afraid that she’d harm herself?  He’d alluded to that in their conversation about Jo’s illness.  They had discussed whether or not the actual disease was a suicide attempt.  And Pete had made a reference to ‘another bad time’.  Nick had assumed at the time that Pete meant a suicide attempt, but he didn’t question him on it.  It was more detail than Nick really wanted to have.

Poor Pete!  Here he was saddled with a girl he didn’t want and couldn’t be with the one he did want…and now the first one was accusing him of trying to kill her.

Except, of course, Pete didn’t know that, thought Nick. 

Or maybe he did.  Maybe Jo had thrown these crazy accusations in his face.  Maybe that’s why Pete missed Nick at Beaufort.  Nick remembered that Pete had said they’d anchored offshore for the night.  Maybe that was why.  Maybe Pete didn’t want Jo hurling this craziness around where people could hear.

And maybe…

And maybe…

Nick’s mind kicked into high gear.  Maybe it was…like a…what did they call it?...a vicious circle…yeah, that was it…a vicious circle.  Jo thinks Pete’s trying to harm her so he keeps her isolated so she can’t cause trouble for him…and that makes her think that he’s keeping her out of the way so he can kill her.

But why didn’t Pete just put her on a plane back to where she came from?

That would solve everybody’s problems, wouldn’t it?

Pete could send Jo home to Mickey and deliver the Sunset Voyager by himself.  He certainly didn’t need Jo’s help to do that.

Because of the time factor, maybe?  Nick thought about that.  Pete had mentioned several times that he had to get to Fort Lauderdale on time, or he’d lose out on some money.  Probably a bonus for an early delivery.

Maybe that was the problem.  Pete didn’t have time right now to deal with Jo’s craziness.  Maybe he just wanted to keep her from doing any serious damage and keep motoring on through.

But how much time would it take to stick her on a plane?

Nick pondered that for a moment.

And he came down on Pete’s side again. 

Maybe it would take quite a lot of time if Jo started yelling in public that Pete was trying to kill her.  Pete might spend a whole lot of time explaining that!

But what if Nick did it?  What if he put her on the plane?  Jo wouldn’t scream that Nick was trying to kill her…and she would be away from Pete, so she should be happy about that and she would be going home to Mickey.  So that was win/win.  In fact, it was win/win/win because then Nick could get rid of the whole scene and get out on the ocean by himself.

Yeah, he decided, that’s what he’d do.  Tonight, at the marina, he’d speak to Pete about it, explain what Jo was doing, in case Pete didn’t know.  Then he’d offer to take Jo off Pete’s hands and get her on a plane back to wherever she came from.

Nick to the rescue.

To the Rescue.

Maybe that’s what he should name the boat.  How could the fans and media misinterpret that?  Nick didn’t know, but he was sure they’d find a way.  They always did.

Thoughts of fans and the media and boats disappeared from Nick’s head abruptly.

He had caught up to the Sunset Voyager.
Chapter 15 by old_archive
St. Simon’s Island, GA – Mile 670

Zap!  Ping!  Screech!

Nick pushed the buttons on the side of the pinball machine and watched the flippers shoot the metal balls back into outer space, careening off asteroids and meteorites and racking up thousands of points.

Nick was thrilled when he found the arcade room after checking in at the Golden Isles.  He was tired, and he had a headache.  It had been an afternoon of intense concentration, trying to keep the Sunset Voyager in sight but not seem like he was tracking it. 

Now he just wanted to relax with some mindless activity.  He’d taken care of business when he had first arrived at the marina, getting fuel and fresh water.  He’d paid the dockage fee, emptied the holding tank and bought fresh milk.  He assumed that Pete and Jo had done similar things.  After Nick had made sure that they were indeed pulling into the Golden Isles, he ignored them.  He was sick of them.

All afternoon, Nick had studied the coastal charts carefully.  Whenever there was a stretch of shoreline with no breaks…no rivers or inlets…Nick would hold the Lenore back out of sight, confident that his quarry could not escape.  Whenever they would come up on a tributary large enough to accommodate Pete’s boat, Nick would move up to within sight of the Sunset Voyager.

A couple of times, Nick had been forced to go faster than he wanted to in order to catch the other boat.  Pete had said that the Sunset Voyager didn’t have the power and speed of the Lenore, and that was true, but it was a pretty powerful boat, nonetheless.  And Pete didn’t seem as cautious about some of the tricky areas as Nick did.

Of course, Nick mused, the Lenore was his boat.  Pete only had to worry about the ‘rich bastard from Fort Lauderdale’ who probably had lots of insurance anyway.

And, considered Nick, Pete could probably talk his way out of any trouble, probably even end up getting a bonus for having been put out by an unmarked shoal or a faulty map. 

Each time Nick got within sight of the Sunset Voyager, he saw Jordana stand up from where she was sitting on the back deck.  She’d look up toward the bridge, and if Pete wasn’t looking, Jo would turn and wave at Nick.

Nick always waved back.  Then he’d drop the speed and hang back a bit more.  Nick never noticed Pete look around.  He wondered if the other man knew what Nick was doing, and if so, what he thought about it.

“Hey, Nick!  There you are!”

Nick turned to see Pete walking toward him…alone.

“Hey, Pete!  Where’s Jo?”

“She’s back at the boat, putting on some makeup or something.  C’mon, let’s go.  I don’t like to leave her alone too long.”

“Yeah, about that…”  Nick stepped away from the pinball machine and walked after Pete who was already halfway to the door.

“About what?” asked Pete, holding the door open and ushering Nick outside.

Nick didn’t really know how to begin.  He’d rehearsed a couple of different strategies on the journey today, but he couldn’t seem to find one that didn’t sound like he was accusing Pete of something.

“I’m not accusing you of anything,” Nick began, “but…I mean…Jo…she seems to think…”

Pete stopped.  “What?  What’s she said?  She’s accused me of something?”

Nick didn’t think Pete looked angry or guilty.  Rather, the dark-haired man looked bewildered and hurt.

“She didn’t really say anything,” said Nick, floundering about trying to state the facts, which were essentially none.  “She just…she seems…”

“Crazy?”

For the first time, a bitter tone crept into Pete’s voice.

“Yeah, that and…paranoid too,” added Nick.  “Wouldn’t you be better off if she just went home?”

“Don’t I wish!” exclaimed Pete.  “But that’s not possible.  I have to deliver the boat on time.  I really can’t afford to miss out on the bonus.  I just can’t take time out to take her home and come back.”

“But you wouldn’t have to take her all the way home,” said Nick.  “Couldn’t you just get her to the closest airport?”  Or even just shove her in a taxi at a marina?  I mean, I’m sure she’d be happy to…”

“What would make Jordana Miles happy is anyone’s guess,” said Pete.  “It would probably take…will probably take an entire team of psychiatrists to figure that out.  But…”  Pete sighed and shook his head, “…that will have to wait for another week.  I promised Mickey I’d look after her, and I’m not letting her out of my care.”

“But…”  Nick walked quickly beside the other man.  “But what if somebody could help?  What if I…”

“Sshh,” said Pete.

They’d arrived at the Sunset Voyager.

Nick didn’t really know what to expect.  Would Jo be gone, having hightailed it for the nearest police station or army base?  Would she have frantically searched the boat and now be sitting on the deck beside a pile of weapons intent on proving that Pete meant her harm?  Would she be bound and gagged as a means of preventing either an escape attempt or a call for help?

None of these scenarios would have surprised Nick.  What did surprise him was Jordana Miles sitting calmly on the back deck waiting patiently for her so-called executioner to come and take her to dinner.

“Found him,” said Pete.  “He was in the arcade.”

Jordana nodded and gave a small smile.  “That doesn’t surprise me.  Is everyone ready for dinner?  I’m starving.  Lunch was hours ago.”

Nick could only stare.  Jo was starving?  She wanted to eat?  It didn’t sound to Nick like Pete was trying to kill her.  It sounded like he was well on his way to curing her.

Without a word, Pete held out his hand to help Jo up onto the dock.  She accepted his assistance and together, the three headed off to the restaurant, which was just a few hundred yards up the road from the marina.

Nick was completely confused.  Jo did not seem at all afraid of Pete.  And she hadn’t the other times they’d been together either, now that Nick thought about it.  It was only as she was leaving that she’d thrown out the obscure clues, or whatever they were.

“So that was a pretty long day,” said Pete, after they’d placed their orders.

“Yeah,” said Nick. “I’m pretty beat.  I’ll be hitting the bed pretty early tonight.”

“Yeah, us too probably,” said Pete.  “Especially Jo.  She didn’t get her nap today.”

Conversation stopped while the waiter placed the food in front of them.  No one spoke as they salted and peppered and prepared to eat.  Then Pete asked Nick about his favorite video games, and the two men talked about that for awhile.  Jordana kept silent, concentrating on her meal.

Nick was pleased to see that Jo was eating.  He guessed that didn’t really matter if she was just going to throw it all up later, but still, it was good to see.  Nick found it hard to concentrate on the conversation with Pete while eating and keeping an eye out for any message Jo might send.

“So how far do you think you’ll go tomorrow, Nick?” asked Pete, after the video game conversation rain out of steam.

“I don’t know,” said Nick.  “I was thinking of heading out into the ocean and just opening ‘er up, see what she can do.”

“NO!” exclaimed Jordana, loudly.  Then, she added, “Oh no, look what I’ve done.”  She grabbed her table napkin and dipped it in her glass of water.  She dabbed at a spot on her shirt.  “Omigod, I’m so clumsy.”

Jordana looked up, and her eyes met Nick’s.  There was pleading in them.

Pete looked from one to the other.  Nick tore his eyes away from Jo’s and turned to Pete.  Pete looked at him for a moment and then back at Jo, who was still nervously dabbing at her shirt.

“It looks fine, Jo,” said Pete.  “I don’t see a stain, just a wet spot.  So, Nick, I think that’s a great idea…getting out on the ocean and going for speed.  I wish I could do that with my old tug.”

Nick laughed.  “She’s hardly an old tug, Pete.  I bet she could keep pretty close to mine in a race.”

Pete shrugged.  “I’ll never get the chance to find out, will I?  I have to stick to the waterway, and there’s no way I’m opening her up in here.  I’d probably tear the bottom out of her on a shoal.”

Nick nodded.  “So what about you?  What are you planning for tomorrow?”

“We’re leaving at daylight,” said Pete.  “We’re going to plug straight through.  As pretty as this part of the shoreline is, there’s nothing much to see that we haven’t already seen.  I’ll make up some time here, and then we can slow down a bit once we hit Florida.  There’ll be lots of marvelous stuff to see then…all man-made!”

Jo stood up abruptly.  “I’m going back.  No, no, finish your beer.  I can find my own way.  Goodbye then, Nick, it was nice meeting you.”

Jordana reached out her hand and shook Nick’s firmly.  Then she turned and walked quickly out of the restaurant.

Pete signaled frantically for the check.  He drained the last of his beer in one swallow.  “C’mon, let’s go.”

Nick didn’t know what to do.  He’d been half expecting Jo to send him another coded message or to slip something into his hand when she shook it, but she hadn’t done either.

And why the abrupt departure?  And why was Pete so freaked by it?

“What’s the matter?” asked Nick.

“You know, Jo,” replied Pete, “she’s probably gone to throw up her dinner.”

“Well, you can’t stop her,” said Nick.  “It’s not your responsibility.”  Nick suddenly flashed back to AJ and his troubles.  “Pete, you can’t help her until she wants help.”

“I promised Mickey I’d take care of her,” insisted Pete.  “I can’t let her harm herself.”

Pete pocketed his change, and they left the restaurant.  They walked the short distance to the marina in silence. 

“Well, enjoy that ocean breeze tomorrow,” said Pete.  He extended his hand.  “It sure was nice meeting you, Nick.  Thanks for everything…you know.”

Nick shook Pete’s hand.  “Yeah, nice to meet you.  Sorry I missed Mickey.  As for everything… you know I could still…”

“Nah,” said Pete, “it’s like you said.  Nothing can be done until she asks for help.”  He turned and walked quickly away.

Nick watched him go and then moved in the other direction, heading for the Lenore.  He couldn’t decide what he was feeling.  He knew that Jo believed what she was saying, but Nick just couldn’t place Pete in the role of the bad guy.

It sounded to Nick as if Pete and Mickey had planned on taking Jo on this excursion to check out her mental state in a peaceful and private environment, to get some idea of where to go from here with her.  And poor Pete, through circumstances beyond his control, had become the sole caregiver, a role he readily admitted he was unsuited for.

It seemed, though, that he’d finally given up any thought of this being a vacation.  He was just going to ‘plug straight through’…get to Florida as fast as he could while trying to keep Jo from seriously harming herself.  That last part might not be so easy, thought Nick, as he approached his boat.  It was like he’d told Pete.  Nobody could do anything for Jo until she asked for help.

As Nick stepped onto the Lenore, a voice in the back of his head reminded him, “She did ask for help.  She asked you.”
Chapter 16 by old_archive
Nick went below as soon as he boarded the Lenore.  He grabbed his guitar from the sofa and went back on deck.  He was tired, and he knew he would sleep well tonight, but he wanted to unwind a little first.  He didn’t want to go to bed on a full stomach.  He would just have stupid dreams.

Nick ran his fingers down the strings and hummed a tune.  Yeah, he’d just sit here for a bit and then turn in.  He sure as hell wasn’t going to stay up all night making a complete ass of himself staring at another boat.  That was for damned sure!

“Nick?”

Nick looked up from his guitar.  Pete was standing on the dock.

“Hey, Pete!  What’s up?”

“Have you seen Jo?”

Nick set down the guitar and stood up.  “Jo?  No, not since dinner.  Why?”

“She’s not on the boat.”

Nick furrowed his brow.  He looked at Pete.  Pete seemed concerned but not scared or angry.

“Maybe she went for a walk,” suggested Nick.

“Maybe,” said Pete, looking around him.  “I just thought that maybe she came here…when she wasn’t on the boat, I thought maybe she came here.”

“Nope,” said Nick, “I haven’t seen her.  Do you want me to come with you…to look for her?”

“No,” said Pete, “that’s okay.  You’re right.  She’s probably just gone for a walk.  I’ll head back.  She’s probably already there.”

“You’re sure?”

“Yeah, yeah, sorry to bother you.”  Pete turned away.

Nick stood for a moment watching the other man depart.  He looked around him at the other boats.  Then he picked up his guitar and went below.

Nick carefully placed the guitar in the case and snapped it shut.  He laid the case gently on the sofa.  Then he straightened up.

“Okay, Jo,” he said, “you can come out now.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The door to the second bedroom slid open.  Jordana walked slowly up the hallway, stopping just at the edge of the living room.

“Close the curtains,” she whispered, “in case he comes back.”

“I never close the curtains,” replied Nick.  “That would look suspicious if I did it now.  Jordana, what’s going on?”

Jo backed into the shadows of the hall.  “Did you get my message?  In the garbage?”

“Yes, I did.  You said that he’s trying to kill you.  I’m guessing by that you mean Pete.”

“Of course, I mean Pete,” snapped Jo.  “Who else would I mean?”  Her voice softened.  “I’m sorry, Nick, I’m just so scared.”

“Well, if you’re so scared, why don’t you leave?  Why don’t you just say that you want to go home?”

“I did, but he won’t let me.”

“What do you mean?  Why wouldn’t he let you go home?  Why do you think he’s trying to kill you?  How’s he trying to kill you?”  Nick’s frustration was making his face red.  He sat down in the leather chair closest to the hall.

In answer, Jordana reached her hand up to her head and pulled on her hair.  She extended her hand to Nick and opened it.  Nick stared at the strands of hair.

“What the…?”

“He tried to poison me,” said Jordana, matter-of-factly.

“Poison you?  What?  How?”

“The herbal tea,” said Jo.  “He kept making it for me.  He said it would make me feel better.  But it didn’t.  It made me sicker.  And now this…”  She nodded at the hair in her hand.  Then she sank to the floor with her back against the wall.

Nick tried to think of some calming words, some way to get through to her, to get her over her delusions.

“But,” he began, “might that just be a side effect of…you know…?”

“A side effect of what?” asked Jo.

“Your…illness,” said Nick.

“Of course, it’s a side effect,” said Jo, tartly.  “I’m not going to die because my hair fell out.  I’m going to die because…”

“Go ahead,” said Nick, gently, “say it.  Don’t you think it’s a better idea to talk about it than to try and keep it a secret?”

“I am trying to talk about it,” said Jo, her eyes widening in exasperation.

“It’s okay,” said Nick, encouragingly, “I know the background.”

Jo’s face lost what little color it had.  “What background?”

“Pete told me all about it…all about you…”

Jo took a deep breath and let it out slowly.  “Nick,” she said, as if she were talking to a five-year-old, “what did Pete tell you about me?”

Nick sighed.  He really didn’t want to do this.  “Your illness.  He told me about your illness.”

“What illness?”  Jo’s teeth were clenched.  “I don’t have an illness.”

“C’mon, Jo, there’s nothing to be ashamed of.  It happens to lots of people.”

“Listen to me, Nick.  I don’t know what you’re talking about.  I don’t have any illness.  What did he tell you?”

“Where were you the last couple of months?” asked Nick, suddenly changing tactics.

“I told you.  I was in Europe.  Nick, what did he say?”

“Where in Europe?”

Jo raised her voice.  “I told you…France, mostly.  Nick, what did he say??!!”

Nick tried desperately to think of a question that would trip her up and force her to admit the truth, but he couldn’t, so he said, “He said you weren’t in Europe.  He said you were in rehab.”

It was not what Jo was expecting.  She looked confused.  “Rehab?!  Like…drugs?”

“No, not drugs,” said Nick.  “Food.”

“Food?  Food rehab?  What is that?”

Nick looked at Jo’s face.  Either she was the greatest actress in the world, or she was in such complete denial that she’d never climb out.

Or maybe she was telling the truth.

“He said you have an eating disorder.  He said you were in a clinic in upstate New York.  He said you have never been out of the country.”

Jo looked horrified.  “And you believed him?!”

“Well,” said Nick, suddenly defensive.  “There was a lot of evidence…like you were throwing up all the time…and you weren’t eating…and you were…um…you were…getting skinnier, and you kept changing what was wrong with you…you know…you said ‘jet lag’ and ‘seasick’ and ‘the flu’…no, no, you didn’t say that one, Pete did, but you said it was your period…”

“I did not!” said Jordana, hotly.

“Well, you said ‘hormones’” retorted Nick.  “I thought that’s what you meant.”

They stared at each other.  Neither knew what to say next.  Jordana was trying to picture Nick’s image of her.  She didn’t like what she saw.

“Okay,” she said finally.  “So Pete told you I have an eating disorder to cover up the fact that he was poisoning me.  And now that I won’t eat or drink anything he gives me, he’ll have to find some other way to do me in…but he has to get rid of the fly in the ointment first.”

“What’s that?” asked Nick.

“You,” said Jo.  “He has to get rid of you.  And, omigod, he’s done that, hasn’t he?  You’re heading out on the ocean tomorrow.  You’ll get miles ahead of us.  He won’t have to worry about running into you anymore.  Then he can kill me and get rid of my body, and no one will even know I was on the boat."  Jordana was trembling now, and her voice was rising hysterically.

“But why, Jo?  You still haven’t told me why.  Why do you think he wants to kill you?"  Nick still couldn’t see her logic.

Tears began to trickle down Jo’s face.  “Because,” she said sadly, “because he killed Mickey.”

Chapter 17 by old_archive
“Because he killed Mickey.”

What?

Nick couldn’t believe his ears.  Now Pete had killed Mickey too?  Boy, if Jo’s ideas got any further out there, they’d have to travel by space shuttle.

“Jo, this doesn’t make any sense,” began Nick.

“Because he’s made you believe I’m crazy,” retorted Jo, “hasn’t he?”

Nick hesitated.  “Well, no…”

“Yes, he has,” said Jo, sadly.  “He’s good at that.  He’s a natural born liar.”

“Well, explain it to me then,” said Nick, trying to keep the exasperation out of his voice.  “You say he killed Mickey.  How?  When?”

“Before we came,” said Jo.  “Before…”

”Sshh,” said Nick, suddenly standing up.  He turned toward the stairs.  “I just want you to know,” he sang lightly, bounding up the stairs to the deck, “that I’ve been fighting to let you go.  Some days I make it through…Oh hey, Pete!  Did you find Jo?”

Jordana crept back up the hall to the second bedroom and eased the door quietly shut.

“No, I haven’t,” said Pete, “and I’m getting a little worried.”  He peered along the edge of Nick’s boat, looking in the windows.

“Maybe you should call the police,” suggested Nick.

“The police?  Oh, I don’t think it’s got that far yet,” said Pete.  “It’s not the first time she’s done it…I mean, the night I was on your boat so late…you know, when we were ‘talking’…”

Nick nodded.  “Yeah.  I remember.”

“Well, when I got back to the boat, Jo wasn’t there.  She didn’t come back for a couple of hours.  I looked for her and couldn’t find her.  Finally, she just showed up and said she’d gone for a walk. I wondered if maybe she’d…you know…thought about trying something.  That’s why I’ve been keeping such a close eye on her.”

“Hmmm,” said Nick, non-committally.  “Well, um, do you think that’s what’s happened here?  That’s she gone for a walk?  Or maybe harmed herself?”

“I don’t know,” said Pete, with a sigh.  “I thought she was getting better…you know…eating and stuff.  Like today, she had a real lunch and even dinner.  And she didn’t have a nap today, which is great!  I mean, the girl’s been sleeping 18 hours a day.  So, like I said, I thought she was getting better.”

“So maybe it is just a walk then,” suggested Nick.

“Maybe,” said Pete, half to himself.  Then out loud, he said, “Oh, hey, I’m sorry to be bugging you with this, Nick.  It’s just that you’re the only one here that we know, and I thought, you know, she might have come by here.”

“Are you sure you don’t want me to come and help you look?”  Nick carefully avoided answering Pete’s implied question.

Pete chewed the inside of his lip and looked around.  “You know, I would really appreciate it…if it’s not too much trouble.  I mean, were you heading to bed?”

“Nah, not yet,” said Nick.  “I was just unwinding a little with the guitar.”

Pete looked around the deck and then back at Nick.

“Um…” said Nick, “I just put it away.  I was just…you know, getting that last bit of air, doing a final check…”

Pete’s eyes narrowed a little.  He looked again at the windows of the living room, then back at Nick.  “Well, if you’re sure…”

“No problem,” said Nick.  He jumped up onto the dock and started walking away.  “Where should we go first?  Where all have you looked?”

Nick led Pete away from the Lenore.  They went to the Sunset Voyager, but there was still no sign of Jo.

“Maybe she forgot something at the restaurant,” suggested Nick.

Neither man believed that she had but they walked up there anyway.  Neither the waitress nor the bartender remembered Jo coming back.  The two men walked around the marina, checking the arcade and the other shops.

“What are you going to do if she doesn’t turn up?” asked Nick.  “Will you contact the police?”

“I guess I’ll have to,” said Pete, “but isn’t there some kind of rule about waiting twenty-fours or something?”

“Yeah, I think you might be right,” replied Nick.  “At least, that’s what they say on all the cop shows.”

“Shit!” said Pete.  “If I have to wait around for another day…”  He shook his head.  “Oh, well,” he said, resignedly, “you gotta do what you gotta do.”

He looked up.  They had arrived back at the Lenore.

“Nick,” he said, “I know it’s a long shot, but do you think she might be on the Lenore now?”

Nick certainly hoped not.

“On the Lenore?  Gee, I don’t know,” said Nick.  “C’mon, let’s look.”

Nick didn’t really care if Jo was there or not.  If she was, he’d referee the ensuing battle and take Jo into his care until he could see her safely home.  If she wasn’t there, then his involvement would be thankfully over.

Nick went slowly down the stairs to the rooms below.  He blocked Pete’s view with his body while his eyes scanned the room looking for signs that Jo was or had been there.  He saw with relief that there was nothing. 

“She’s not here,” said Nick, beckoning Pete to come down the stairs and see for himself. 

Nick continued up the hall, checking the bathroom and guest bedroom.  Jo wasn’t there.  Nick nodded back to Pete to come ahead and check to satisfy himself.

Nick moved into his bedroom and looked around.  He picked up one of the throw pillows from the floor and tossed it up on the bed.

“Jeez, I’m a slob,” he said, turning to face Pete.

Pete stood in the doorway, taking in the unmade bed and the clothes littering the floor.  “Yeah, you are a bit,” he agreed.

They stood in silence.  Finally, Pete turned away.

“Okay, she’s not here;  I guess I’ll go check out the Sunset Voyager again.  Thanks again, Nick.”

Nick didn’t know what to say.  He looked around the room one more time and then went out into the hall.  He saw Pete kneel down at the edge of the living room.

“Find something?” asked Nick.

“No,” said Pete, shoving his hands in his pockets.  “Well, see ya, Nick.” 

Nick followed Pete up the stairs to the back deck.  He watched the dark-haired man walk slowly up the dock.  When Pete was out of sight, Nick counted slowly to sixty, never taking his eyes off  the spot where Pete had faded from view.  Then he bounded down the stairs and raced up to his bedroom.  He picked up the throw pillow he’d tossed on the bed and retrieved the piece of paper under it.

He held it up to the light and read, “I am going to find proof.”

Shit! thought Nick.  Now what?

He stood for a moment, looking around.  Was Jo here?  How could she be?  Nick opened the big closet in his bedroom.  She could probably fit herself in there.  No, she wasn’t there. 

Nick backtracked through the boat, checking carefully and feeling foolish at the same time.  He looked in the shower stall and he moved all the pillows around on the upper bunk in the guest bedroom.  He slid back the doors on the laundry room.

Nick walked back into the living room, shaking his head.  What now?  Where was she?  Nick hoped Jo had done the smart thing and grabbed all her clothes from the Sunset Voyager and run like hell to the nearest taxi stand, airport, police station, whatever…some place where there would be other people to help her, to keep her away from Pete if that’s what she wanted…some place safely away from Nick, as well.

Yeah, thought Nick, some place away from me.  He didn’t want to be involved in this.  He still couldn’t figure out which one of them was telling the truth.  Nick didn’t want to be on anybody’s side.  He just wanted to know that everyone was safe, and then he wanted to get the hell out of here.  Nick had provided the opportunity for Jo when he led Pete away from the boat.  He hoped she had taken it!

Nick’s eye was caught by something at the edge of the living room.  It was the same spot Pete had looked at earlier.  Nick walked over and knelt down.  He couldn’t really see anything.  He ran his hand over the carpet and came up with something…long, dark strands of hair.

Jo’s hair.

Jo, who had never been below deck on the Lenore.

Nick had a vision of Pete shoving his hands into his pockets and saying, “No,” that he hadn’t found anything.

Shit!

Nick went back up on deck.  He looked slowly around.  Suddenly, he tilted his head up.  He could hear a voice.  Jo’s voice.  Nick looked around once more, checking the dock carefully for any sign of Pete.

Then he climbed to the bridge.

“…staying at a hotel and leaving in the morning.  No, Pete, you don’t need to know which one.  I’ve been enough of a pain for you…no, Pete, I’m going home…”

Nick looked down at Jordana.  She was huddled on the floor at the back of the bridge, her thin body flattened out against the leather bench so that she couldn’t be seen from below.  She was wearing several layers of clothing.  She had a cell phone clutched in her hand.

“…no, Pete.  I’m not coming back.  Take the boat to Florida, and go home.  I’ll see you there.”

Jordana snapped the phone shut.  “Yeah, I’ll be waiting there with the whole Fayetteville Police Department, you murdering bastard."

She looked up at Nick and burst into tears.
Chapter 18 by old_archive
“Jo, stay calm.  Sshh…stop crying.  Sshh…”

Nick patted her on the arm and tried to soothe her.  The noise was getting louder and louder and was bound to attract a crowd soon.

Jordana continued crying, releasing torrents of emotion and tension.

“Jordana, stop!” said Nick, firmly.  “Pete might come back.  We’ve got to get you below before he does.”

Nick’s reasonable words worked.  Jordana’s sobs turned into hiccupping snuffles.  Nick picked up his charts and guidebook and looked out over the harbor.  He could see the Sunset Voyager.  He could see a shadow moving in the cabin.

“Go!” said Nick, in a loud whisper.  “Now!”

Jordana eased her way to the ladder and scrambled down.  She crawled across the back deck and slid down the stairs to the living area.  She crept up the hall to the guest bedroom and slid the door open.  She sat in the doorway, waiting for Nick.

Nick stood on guard for another five minutes.  He didn’t see any more movement on the Sunset Voyager, although the cabin lights stayed on.  Finally, Nick tucked the charts under his arm and descended to the lower deck.  He fiddled with the chairs and the cushions on the bench.  He hummed his ‘I’m Cool’ theme under his breath.  In his head, he added lyrics.

“Look at me, I’m cool.  I’m just checking out the boat, being all responsible-like, so if anybody’s spying on me, I’m cool.  Here I go now, down below now, I’m cool.”

This time, when Nick went below, he pulled the hatchway cover from its hidden slot.  Then he closed the door and bolted both in place.  He turned to see Jo watching him, huddled on the floor outside the guest bedroom doorway.

“There!  It’s locked, Jo.  No one can get in.  You’re safe.”

Jo nodded her appreciation.  Nick set the charts and the guidebook on the table.

“Although I’m not sure that you need to be,” said Nick, “locked in, I mean.  I’m still not convinced that…you know…that Pete’s the bad guy you say he is…”

“He’s a murderer,” exclaimed Jo.  “He killed Mickey…and maybe someone else too.”

Oh, fuck, thought Nick.  Now she’s added another victim!?  Every time I talk to her, the body count goes up.

Suddenly, the shrill sound of a phone ringing split the air.  Nick looked around and reached for his cell phone which lay on the kitchen counter.

“Don’t answer it!” cried Jo.

Nick’s hand froze over the phone.  “Why not?” he asked.

“Because it’s Pete,” said Jo, in a whisper.  “I used your phone to call him.”

Nick couldn’t believe what he was hearing.  “You did what?” 

“I couldn’t think what else to do to throw him off the track,” whined Jordana.

Suddenly, the shrill ringing ceased.  The echo ricocheted around the cabin and their ears for a moment and then stopped.  Nick picked up the phone and pushed a button.  He recited a number to Jo.

She nodded.  “Yes, that’s Pete’s number.  He was calling back to check on me, I guess and…oh, no…oh, shit…oh, no…”

Nick thought if Jo’s eyes got any bigger, they’d explode out of her head.  “What?”

“Voice mail,” she said, and tears started at the corners of her eyes.  “He’ll have heard your voice mail message.  He’ll know it’s your phone.  He’ll know I’m here.”  Jo’s eyes darted around the cabin, and she pulled herself into an even tighter ball.

“Calm down,” said Nick.  “It’s okay.  I don’t put my voice on there.”  He looked around the cabin and then back at Jo.  “Because of the fans.  I use the message that came with the phone.

Nick took a deep breath and then exhaled softly.  He reset the phone to vibrate and put it back on the counter.  “I’m having a beer,” he said.  “Want one?”

Jordana shook her head.  Nick opened the fridge and pulled out a beer and a bottle of water.  He twisted the top off the beer and rolled the bottle of water up the hallway.

Jordana grabbed it and opened it.  “Thanks,” she said and then after a moment, “…for everything.”

“Oh, don’t be thanking me yet, Miss Jo,” said Nick.  “You have a lot of explaining to do.  The only reason that I have you locked in here now is because I believe that you believe that you are in danger. I don’t necessarily agree with you on that.  Do you get that?”

“Yes, Nick, yes, I do, and I’m grateful…”

“Well, don’t be too grateful too soon.  I could be putting myself at risk here, and I don’t like the idea of that at all.  You haven’t exactly come across as the sanest person on the planet, and I’m not anxious to do something that will end up making me look like either a criminal or a fool!”

“I’m not crazy, Nick,” said Jo, quietly.  “You only think that because Pete made you believe it, not from anything I’ve done.

“Maybe so,” countered Nick, “but all that does is make me more gullible, more of an idiot in the eyes of the world if this turns out to be some big practical joke or publicity stunt.”

“It’s no joke,” insisted Jo.

“Okay, you are going to get to explain it all.  Now, take off your clothes.”

“What?”  Jo instinctively crossed her arms over her chest.

Nick laughed.  “I didn’t mean it that way.”

He stood up and walked down the hallway to his bedroom.  Jordana shrank back against the wall as he moved by her.  He returned a few seconds later holding a t-shirt.

“Put this on,” he said.  “It’s okay, it’s clean.”  He pointed into the bedroom.  “Go in there and take off your clothes and put this on.”

“Why?”

“One, because you need pajamas and two, because I want to check your clothes for bugs.”

Nick laughed again at the look on her face.  “Recording devices, not insects,” he explained.

Jordana disappeared into the bedroom, sliding the door shut.  Nick went back to the living room and sat on the sofa.  He took a long pull from his beer and leaned his head back, closing his eyes and reflecting on his latest crazy idea.

It was while he was walking about with Pete that Nick had the thought that maybe this whole thing was about him.  He didn’t really believe that, but these days, anything was possible.  The whole world was taping itself and its neighbors, trying to get its fifteen minutes of televised fame.  Nick did not want to be part of anyone’s ‘reality show’.  His own reality was often difficult enough to bear.

Nick couldn’t see how it was possible, that Pete and Jo were part of some crazy scheme involving him. And even so, what material would they have been able to collect?  They’d spent a very short amount of time together, so what would there be…a couple of dinner conversations…a lunch…Pete’s dissertation on Jo’s illness.  Even if they did have lots of coverage of each other plotting and strategizing, they didn’t have much of Nick.

Unless they had his boat wired.

Nick was pretty sure that wasn’t possible.  He’d had the boat pretty thoroughly checked out.  He hadn’t specifically said what to check for, but he knew the guy had checked the electrical system, so…

Nick shook his head and told himself to stop these thoughts before he became as paranoid as Jo.  Still, he was glad he hadn’t felt the need to jerk off since he’d been on the Lenore.

Looked at reasonably, the whole idea was pretty far-fetched, thought Nick.  But was it any more out there than Pete as attempted murderer, no wait, make that murderer, no, hold on, now he’s a serial killer?!

“Here ya go,” said Jo.

She stood in the doorway of the guest room, holding a pile of clothes.  She had turned off the light in the room.

“Set them on the floor,” said Nick.

Jo set the clothes down in a neat pile beside the doorway.  Nick didn’t move toward them.  He suddenly felt foolish for having asked for them.  He reached up and turned off the light.

The bright light of the boat interior disappeared, leaving them in total darkness until their eyes adjusted to the light filtering in through the small windows in the living area and the bedroom at the other end of the boat.  The marina security lights were bright, but Nick’s boat wasn’t directly under one, and the light that came in made it possible to see shades of dark and light rather than color.

Jo remained frozen in the shadowy hallway.  Nick could make out her silhouette.

“You can come out and sit down, Jo,” said Nick.  “No one can see you.”

Jordana hesitated and then slowly moved forward.  When she reached the doorway to the living room, she crouched down and scuttled across to where Nick was sitting.  She hunkered down and squeezed herself against the back of the sofa.

“So what do we do now?” she asked in a quiet voice.

“I don’t know,” replied Nick, honestly.  “I guess maybe we should compare stories.”

“Okay,” said Jordana, “what do you do for a living?”

Nick looked at her, arching one eyebrow elegantly.  He saw a ghost of a smile cross her lips.  She sighed and relaxed visibly.

“Tell me about Jordana Miles,” said Nick, softly.

Jo started talking, very quietly.  At times, Nick had to strain to hear her.  It was almost as if she were talking to herself.

“There’s not much to tell,” she began and gave her vital statistics – age, height, date and place of birth. 

But not weight, Nick noticed.

Jo described her childhood as happy, her high school days as bearable and her college days as the best five years of her life.

“Why?” asked Nick.

“Because I found out who I was,” replied Jo, without hesitating.  “See, before I went to college, I was only a reflection of everyone around me.  I was my parents’ daughter, I was Mickey’s friend, I was so-and-so’s classmate… But I didn’t know who I was in relation to myself.  When I went away to school, I was on my own.  I didn’t know a single person at school.  I could present myself however I liked.  It made me think hard about how I wanted to do that.”

Nick nodded.  He guessed he understood what she was saying.  He’d never really had the opportunity to decide that for himself.  He’d been packaged and presented as part of the group… Nick…little Nicky…the blond one…the innocent one…  It had been very hard to change that image as he grew up.  He wondered what he would do if he were given such a chance – to present himself to strangers as the person he wanted to be.

“Did you do it the way you wanted?” asked Nick.

“Pretty much,” answered Jo.  “There were a few bumps in the road, of course, but that wasn’t unexpected.”

“Bumps like the ‘frosh fifteen’?” queried Nick.

“What’s that?” asked Jo.

Nick peered at her in the dim light.  “It’s…uh…you know…the weight you put on during your first year away from home.  Isn’t that what they call it?”

Jo shrugged.  “I know what you’re talking about, but I’ve never heard it called that.  And no, that wasn’t one of the bumps.  I have a great metabolism.  I can eat anything and not gain weight.  It used to piss Mickey off something fierce when we were in high school.  She was always on a diet.”

Jo laughed and then stopped abruptly.  “Tell me what he said about me,” she pleaded softly.

Nick recounted the story Pete had told him.  Jo sat with her lips pinched together until he finished.

“So that story isn’t true?” asked Nick.

“No, that story is true,” replied Jordana.  She held up a hand to stop Nick’s protest.  “But,” she continued, “that’s not my story.  That’s Angela’s story.”

“Who’s Angela?” asked Nick.

“She’s Mickey’s cousin,” answered Jo.  “My God, he’s diabolical.  Not much wonder he made you believe the story!  It’s all true…just the way he told it.  But it’s about a different person.”

Nick shook his head.  “But why?  Why would he tell me that?”  He yawned halfway through the question.

“I think I know,” said Jo, “but with this new information…”  This time it was Jordana who yawned.  “I think we can make better sense of this in the morning, Nick.  The daylight might make it all seem more reasonable.”

Nick wasn’t sure if anything that had been said or done in the last couple of days could be made to seem reasonable, but he knew that she was right.  Things looked different in the daylight.

“Okay,” he said.  “You sleep in the guest room on the lower bed.  You’re on the water side of the boat, and no one could see you even if they did look in the window.”  Nick tried to use a calm, reassuring voice. 

Jo moved quickly from the sofa to the doorway of the bedroom.  Nick patted her on the arm and walked to his room.

“There’s towels and shit like that in your closet,” he said over his shoulder.

Jordana nodded.  “Okay, Nick, thanks.  And I’m sorry…I’m sorry I’ve put you to all this trouble, but I didn’t know who to turn to or where to go.  I just thought this might be the safest place to hide.

Nick stopped and turned back to her.  “You’re kidding, right?”

“What do you mean?”

She looked sincere, Nick saw, and pushed down the thought that had bubbled up in his brain – that it was all a setup, and he’d be appearing in an upcoming episode of America’s Stupidest Rockstars.

“Nothing,” he said.  “It was nothing.  We’ll talk in the morning.  We’ll work it out then.  Goodnight, Jo.”

“Goodnight, Nick.”

Nick went into his bedroom and peeled off his clothes.  He hesitated when he got to his boxers.  He usually slept in the nude but…no, who the hell knew what might happen tonight…and whatever it was, he wanted to have pants on for it.

Nick crawled into bed.  He snuggled down under the duvet .  He hoped he’d fall asleep quickly and have a dreamless night.  Reality was fucked up enough, he didn’t need nightmares as well.

The safest place to hide.

Nick smiled into the darkness.  That was weird, Jo having said that.  Maybe that’s what he should rename the boat.

Safest Place to Hide.

Nick sighed.  Maybe by the end of tomorrow, he’d know if that was a true name for the Lenore or not. 

Nick barely heard Jo flush the toilet and a few seconds later, when she slid the door to her room shut, he was already asleep.
Chapter 19 by old_archive
DAY SIX – St. Simon’s Island, GA

Jo never said anything when she crept into Nick’s room an hour later.  She just put her blanket and pillow on the floor and lay down on them.

Nick was vaguely aware that someone had entered the room.  He thought he should probably wake up and deal with the situation, but he really, really didn’t want to.  He wanted to stay asleep.  He made an unintelligible sound.

“Nick, I’m sorry,” whispered Jo.  “I didn’t mean to wake you up.”

“Tha’s ‘kay,” muttered Nick, fatigue slurring his words.

“I was getting creeped out, and I thought I’d feel safer sleeping here.  Go back to sleep.  Don’t mind me.

As much as Nick wanted to do just that, chivalry kicked in.

“You can’t sleep on the floor, Jo,” he said, without opening his eyes.

“Sure I can,” replied Jo.  “It’s no problem.  Go back to sleep.”

Nick didn’t answer for a moment.  When he did, he wasn’t sure that he hadn’t gone back to sleep for a bit. 

“No, Jo.”

“Please, Nick.  I won’t bother you.  I just don’t want to be alone.”  Jo’s voice broke on the last word.

Nick pushed himself over to the far side of the bed, not an easy thing to do in a bed that’s not rectangular.  He held up the edge of the duvet.  “C’mon.  Get in.”

“No, it’s okay.  I’m fine here.”

Nick’s patience wore thin, and he growled.  “Hurry up, and get in here.  I want to go back to sleep.”

Jo stood up and crawled onto the bed, dragging her pillow with her.  She left the blanket on the floor.  Nick dropped the duvet over her and turned his back to her.

“Goodnight, Nick,” whispered Jo.

There was no response.  Nick was asleep.  Jo turned her back to him and pulled the pillow down under her head.  In a moment, she was asleep too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jo didn’t know how much time had passed when she heard, “Jo, wake up.”

She felt Nick’s strong arm reach out and wrap around her middle.  She opened her eyes but could see little in the dim light.

“What is it?” she asked.

“Someone’s on the boat,” said Nick.  “Move over here.  Slide your body up against mine.”

Jo didn’t waste time asking questions.  Through the narrow windows, she could see the bobbing light of a flashlight.  She slid back against Nick, molding her body to his, stretching her legs out along his, tucking her head under his shoulder.  Then she closed her eyes and prayed.

Nick formed his body into an arc and pulled Jo into it.  He moved over her, thankful that she was so thin.  She fit up against him, and when he hunched over her, he hid her completely.  At least, he hoped so.

Nick had wakened immediately when the intruder stepped onto the boat.  His eyes flew open, and he followed the sounds of the footsteps on the back deck.  He noticed the flashlight beam and realized that whoever was out there meant business.  Nick guessed that someone was Pete.

If it was, that meant Pete hadn’t believed Jo’s phone call.  He didn’t think she was at a hotel.  He thought she was here on the Lenore…with Nick.  The fact that Pete was absolutely right did nothing to ease Nick’s mind.  It meant that no matter what the truth was, Nick was now a co-conspirator on the side of Jo.

Nick pulled her close.  “Keep still,” he whispered, placing his left leg at an angle and stretching out his arm, hoping to hide her body. 

Jo flattened herself to the mattress and sheltered up against Nick, trying to be one with him.

Nick pulled the duvet over Jo’s head, hoping she would still be able to breathe.  He could feel the intruder moving along the far side of the boat.  The steps stopped about midway, and Nick knew that Pete…there was no point in thinking of him as an anonymous intruder, it was Pete!...Nick knew he was shining the flashlight into the guest bedroom.

Nick had a vision of the layers of clothing Jo had been wearing earlier and wondered what she’d done with them.  Then he remembered.  They were in the hallway where he had told her to leave them.  They would be out of sight no matter where Pete looked in the window.

Jo herself was another matter.  Nick hoped she would be out of sight as well.  For once in his life, he hoped that someone would think he was just fat.

“Here he comes,” whispered Nick, as he heard Pete move to the front deck. He felt Jo stiffen beneath him and hold her breath.

When the light beams began to play over the bed, Nick closed his eyes.  It was hard to keep them closed.  The temptation to sneak a peek from under his eyelids was almost overwhelming, but he fought the urge.  He forced himself to stay still and breathe evenly.

Nick’s blood ran cold as he heard Pete try and lift the hatch over the bed.  What if Pete had something more out there than just a flashlight?  Nick searched his memory.  Had he locked that hatch?  He sagged with relief when he heard the click and realized that he had.

The footsteps moved slowly along the gunwale right by Nick’s bed.  They moved very slowly and determinedly along the rail.  Nick knew Pete was taking his time, playing the flashlight over the bed…looking for Jo…looking for evidence that Nick was a liar and a false friend.

Up to this point, Nick had been the innocent bystander, caught up by accident in the drama unfolding between the other two.  But now he was in it up to his neck.  As much as he had believed Pete…and Nick still wasn’t sure of the veracity of Jo’s tale…Nick had reacted against him, hiding Jo and lying to Pete about her whereabouts.

Nick kept his eyes firmly closed and prayed for daylight.  He knew things would look better then.  They had to.  They were looking pretty fucked up right now!

Pete moved up the side of the boat and back onto the back deck.  Nick could hear him moving around, and he heard the rattle of the door handle and the hatch cover.  Even though Nick was absolutely sure that he had locked both, a frisson of doubt tingled up his spine.  He sucked in a breath of air and held it, not daring to move.

Nick didn’t release the breath until he felt Pete leave the boat.  Then he slowly exhaled.  He felt Jordana’s body relax beneath him.

“Not yet,” he whispered, without moving his lips.  He felt her tense up again.

Nick counted slowly to sixty.  Then he did it again.  He was afraid to open his eyes in case he saw Pete staring in the window at him.  Nick was sure the man had left the boat, but he had no idea what he’d done then.

Finally, Nick opened his eyes a fraction of an inch.  He could see nothing.  His back was to the window.  There were no flashlight beams dancing around, but that didn’t mean that Pete wasn’t out there waiting for movement or voices.

“Can you breathe okay?” Nick whispered to Jo.

“Yes,” she replied, without moving.

“Then let’s stay this way for awhile,” suggested Nick.  “Just in case.”

Jo whimpered softly.  Nick realized that she really was afraid of Pete.  Nick wondered again if she had cause to be.  Because he knew now, if Jo had cause to be afraid of Pete, then so did Nick.  It wasn’t a comforting thought.

They lay together silently, ears straining to hear any sound, their nerve endings alert for any movement on the boat that did not belong there.  Eventually, they both fell into a fitful sleep.  They both woke up several times during the rest of the night, but neither moved from the position.

Nick woke up finally because his right hand was asleep.  The tingly pins and needles feeling would not be ignored.  Nick could see the first grey light of dawn seeping through the windows.  He opened his eyes and stretched his neck.  He swiveled it one way and then the other.  When he moved it toward the window, he was almost afraid to look. 

There was no one there.

Of course, there’s no one there, you dolt, he told himself.

Nick lifted the duvet off himself and slid out of the bed.  Jo moaned softly and curled into a ball.  Nick tucked the corners of the duvet around her and then reached up and pulled the navy curtains across the windows.

There!  She was hidden again.

Nick went to the head and then moved to the living room.  He set up the coffee maker and looked around the room nonchalantly.  What would Pete have seen through the windows last night? 

Nothing.  Just the furniture and appliances and that ugly sailboat picture.

And…

Oh shit! thought Nick.  Why don’t I ever learn to clean up after myself?

Sitting on the table in the living room was an empty beer bottle.  Beside it was an empty plastic water bottle.  Beverages for two!

The coffee maker gurgled to a stop.  Nick grabbed a mug out of the cupboard.  He poured himself a cup of reality.  As he sipped the hot liquid, he mulled over his options.  If Jo was right, then Pete was a danger.  That meant that authorities had to be notified.  If Jo was wrong, that meant that some apologizing and face-saving had to be done by Nick.  Hopefully, Pete wouldn’t be too pissed and take it to the media.

Either way, it meant that Nick wasn’t getting out onto the ocean just yet.

He checked the bedroom door, making sure it was closed.  Then he moved to the hatchway.  He unlocked the door and unbolted the hatch cover.  He slowly slid the hatch back.  Then he opened the door and climbed the stairs, peering around innocently.  There was no one there.

In fact, there was no one anywhere.  It was just past six in the morning, and everyone else at the marina was asleep.  Nick didn’t see a light on anywhere.  He climbed to the bridge and looked around, but he didn’t see any movement on the Sunset Voyager.

Nick sipped his coffee thoughtfully and stared at the boat.  Now what?

He guessed Jo had the answer to that.  He went below to wake her and hear her explanation.
Chapter 20 by old_archive
Jo was warm and comfortable, sheltered in the harbor of Nick’s arms.  Slowly, she realized that she was a little closer to him than platonic circumstances called for.  Her butt was pressed into his crotch.  It was…comfortable…and it was …impressive.  Jo thought about moving away, but instead, she pressed back against him.  Nick gave a soft moan and became even more impressive.

Suddenly, Jo heard the hatchcover rattle.  It was Pete.  And he had an axe.

“Jo.”

She screamed and thrashed about under the covers.

Nick put his hand over her mouth.  “Jo, stop it.  Wake up.” 

Jo opened her eyes.  Nick was perched on the edge of the bed, one arm outstretched away from her, trying not to spill the contents of the mug he held there.

“Sorry,” mumbled Jo through his fingers.  Wow! she thought.  Now that was an interesting dream!  She could feel herself blushing.

Nick attributed the redness of Jo’s face to his hand, and he removed it from her mouth.

“Coffee?”

“Yeah, that’d be great,” replied Jo, “but bathroom first.”

“Okay,” said Nick, “I’ll meet you in the galley.”  As he stood up from the bed, he had a glimpse of long, slim legs.  Very nice, he thought.

Jo went to the bathroom and then washed her face.  She saw that Nick had provided a toothbrush and toothpaste for her.  She was grateful for that.  She hadn’t brought anything but clothes with her last night in her desperate bid for freedom. 

Jo stared at herself in the mirror.  Okay, get it together, she told herself.  You have one chance to tell your story, and if you don’t make it a convincing one, you will find yourself standing alone on a dock with no protection.

Jo came out into the hall and picked up the pile of clothes.

“What’s that?” asked Nick, from the galley.

“My clothes,” replied Jo.

“I know that,” said Nick.  “I just wondered what all you’d brought.  Last night, you seemed kind of…bulky.”

“I just threw on whatever I could grab,” said Jo.  “I wasn’t thinking too clearly.”  She laughed.  “I was smart about some things, though.  Check this out.” 

Jo reached into the pocket of a pair of shorts and pulled out some underwear.  The second pocket revealed a second pair of panties.  She picked up some capris and emptied the pockets of them.

“I like that one,” said Nick, as Jo held up a lacy, red thong.

The atmosphere was getting too sexually charged for them both, and Jo retreated to the guest bedroom to get dressed.  She came out a few minutes later, wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

“Okay, your turn,” she said.

Nick was dressed in sweatpants and the t-shirt he’d worn the day before.  “Aren’t you glad I hang my clothes up on the floor?” he asked.  “Otherwise, I might have wakened you this morning when I got up.  The closet door squeaks a little.”

Jo smiled and thought of the dream she was having.  She could feel the heat rising to her face again.  “Okay, coffee,” she said.

Nick motioned at a mug sitting on the table.  Then he squeezed by her to go back to his room.  They didn’t actually touch, but they were close enough that electricity flowed between them.

Jo sat down on the bench of the dining nook and drank her coffee.  She looked around the boat. 

Must be nice to be rich.

Jo remembered Pete saying that when he’d come back from his visit to Nick the first night.  He’d told Jo every detail of the Lenore.  There was a bit of an edge to his voice, as if Pete didn’t think Nick deserved the boat.  Or at least, that Pete did.  Jo knew that Pete pretended that the Sunset Voyager was his boat.  He’d told the truth to Nick about it, but Jo had heard him pretend to some of the marina operators that it was his personal property.  It was the way Pete did things. 

Must be nice to be rich.

Hell, yeah.  Jo bet it was nice.  And everyone knew that Nick loved boats and loved the water, so buying the Lenore made perfect sense for him.

Well, mused Jo, maybe not everyone knew that, but everyone who was a fan did.

Jo was a fan.

She’d been a fan of the group and the music since the very beginning.  She and Mickey had spent hours wrangling over who was the best singer, the best dancer, the cutest…they bought all the fan magazines and had the latest posters all over their walls during high school. 

Mickey was a die-hard Nick fan, had been from the very beginning.  As far as she was concerned, the other four were just his backup singers.

Jo was a Brian girl.  At least, she had been right up to the moment where she laid her eyes on Nick five days ago. Before that, she had thought he was shallow and childish.  Now she saw that he was mature and kind.

The other three guys didn’t even exist for the two girls.  AJ had the best voice, they all agreed on that, but he was a little too far out there for Mickey and Jo.  And besides he was losing his hair.  Mickey didn’t comment on Brian’s hairstyle which was obviously a combover covering a receding hairline.  In return, Jo kept her thoughts about Nick’s weight to herself.

Howie and Kevin were sweet and gorgeous and invisible to them.  Others could have the dark side.  Mickey and Jo were content in Blond Land. 

Mickey.

Suddenly, tears formed at the corners of Jo’s eyes.  She knew in her heart of hearts that Mickey was gone.  She didn’t want it to be true.  She wanted to be wrong.  She wanted to be more wrong about this than she’d been about anything in her life.  But she wasn’t.  She knew it.

Nick watched Jo from the doorway, saying nothing.  It was obvious Jo had some serious emotional shit going on, and he didn’t want to disturb her.  He didn’t like seeing women cry, though.  Fans he didn’t mind.  They cried all the time.  That was no big deal.  But Nick didn’t like seeing ‘his women’ cry.  Not that Jo was his woman or anything, but… Nick didn’t like to see any woman cry…because it made him want to cry too.

Nick hated it when he had to be the mature one, the grown-up.  He didn’t feel either grown up or mature.  He was a kid at heart.  He knew in this situation, though, that he was definitely going to have to be the grown-up.  It wasn’t a comfortable sensation.  Nick wanted to grab his cell phone and call the police.  He wanted to hand Jo over and sail away. 

But he couldn’t. 

He couldn’t for two reasons.  One reason was himself, and the other reason was the group.  For himself, he couldn’t just leave Jo on her own.  She might be in danger, or she might be insane.  Either way, she shouldn’t be left on her own.  And Nick wanted to find out the answers.  He wanted to know how a guy who seemed as nice as Pete could be the murdering monster Jo thought he was.

As for the group, Nick didn’t want any bad publicity.  They were gearing up for a summer tour, launching an album, getting back out there.  It was going to be hard enough to deal with the stupid questions about AJ’s rehab and Nick’s affair with Paris.  They sure didn’t need any other complications.

So he was going to see this situation through at least one more day. 

Jo noticed Nick watching her.  She brushed at the tears with the back of her hand.  She almost said, ‘hormones’, her usual excuse for sudden emotional outbursts.  Just in time, she remembered his interpretation of that the last time, and she swallowed the word.  She hadn’t stuffed any of ‘those supplies’ into her pockets, and it was a path she didn’t think either of them wanted to take right now.

“Sorry,” was all she said.

“Would you like some breakfast?” asked Nick to cover the awkward moment.  “I have cereal…and bread…we could make toast…”

“No, thanks,” said Jo, “I couldn’t eat right now.  I’d just throw up.”  She paused.  “I mean, like, that I would throw up from the tension…not because I’d want to…or because of any other reason either…I mean, I just wouldn’t be able to keep food down…because of the emotional stress…I don’t think I could even swallow…”

The harder Jo tried to explain, the worse she made it.  She knew she sounded like a lunatic, an anorexic one at that, but she couldn’t seem to make herself stop babbling.

“Shut up,” said Nick, with a grin.

Jo pressed her lips together, holding the torrent of idiocy in her mouth.  She stared at Nick, wide-eyed until the words evaporated.

Nick grinned at her again.  “So I’m guessing a bagel is out of the question.”

Jo laughed.  “Thank you, no.  Maybe later.”

Later.

The word hung between them.

Nick fiddled around with the coffee maker.  He waved the pot in Jo’s direction.  She shook her head, so Nick turned it off.  He poured some more coffee into his mug, and then he dumped the rest down the sink.  He gave the pot a quick rinse and set it back on the element.

Jo watched him nervously.  It was daylight.  She had said things would look better by daylight.  That was true in the fact that they were no longer huddled together in fear for their lives.  But it didn’t make her situation look any brighter.  Somehow, they had to get away from Pete.  Somehow, she had to convince both Nick and herself that she knew what she was talking about.  Somehow, there had to be a plan.

“So what’s the plan?” she asked.
Chapter 21 by old_archive
“What’s the plan?” asked Jo.

Nick wished he knew.  “Well, one plan would be to go and talk to Pete, get this all out on the table.”

Nick could tell by Jo’s reaction that she didn’t want that.  She shrank back against the bench, and her eyes widened.

“Okay, on to Plan B,” said Nick.  “Plan B is to…um…okay, I’m guessing you don’t want Pete to know you’re on the boat, so I guess Plan B is to keep you down here until we are away from here. Then we'll go down the waterway a bit and anchor, and then we will talk this out.  Then we will decide where to go from there.  Okay?”

Jo nodded.  “Yes, that sounds like a plan.  And I have no problem staying down here.  I sure don’t want to be where he can see me.”

“Well, I’ve closed the curtains in my room, so you’ll be safe in there.  I’m going to take my charts and book up to the bridge and look around again.  The sun’s up.  Maybe we can get away before Pete gets up.”

Nick meant ‘get away’ as in ‘leave’.  He could see that Jo thought he meant ‘escape’, and she seemed relieved.

Nick went topside as casually and nonchalantly as he could.  I’m cool, he hummed under his breath, I’m doing what I always do, I’m cool, setting up my charts, breathing in the morning air.  I’m cool.

He set the charts down on the bridge and looked around the marina.  The Sunset Voyager was gone from its berth.  Nick opened his mouth to call down to Jo, but he closed it again.  He could see that someone was leaning against a post by the arcade.  The person seemed to be watching the Lenore.  Nick didn’t know if he was just being paranoid…it could just be the arcade guy reporting for work…or maybe the fried onions guy.

Nope, thought Nick, let’s stick to the plan.  He fiddled with the charts and got everything set.  Then he went below again.

“Okay,” he said to Jo, “I’m almost ready to go.  Pete’s already gone, but there’s a guy on the dock, so I think you’d better stay here until we’re sure we’re alone.”

While he talked, Nick filled a small cooler with four bottles of water.

“Okay,” said Jo, meekly, “I’ll stay out of sight.”

Nick went topside again. He placed the water in its spot on the bridge, and he fiddled with a couple of switches, all unnecessary activity designed to cover the fact that he was looking around the marina for the stranger.

He found him.  The man was no longer by the arcade.  He was now on the dock, approaching the Lenore.  Nick dropped down the ladder to the back deck. 

“Mornin’,” Nick called out.  Below, he could feel Jo race up to the bedroom.

“Mornin’,” answered the stranger.  “You getting ready to head out?”

“Yeah,” said Nick.  “I want to get going before it gets crowded out there.”

“Where you headed?” asked the stranger.

“Florida,” replied Nick, succinctly.

“You want me to push you off?”

“That’d be great, Man.  Thanks.”

Nick went up to the bridge and started the engines.  The stranger untied the rope from the stanchion at the back and tossed it onto the deck.  Then he moved to the front and did the same.  He pushed on the boat and then stepped back to the middle of the dock.

“Thanks,” called out Nick, waving to the man.

“Smooth sailing,” answered the stranger, waving back.

Nick maneuvered the Lenore out into the channel.  As he got to the end, he turned back.  The stranger still stood on the dock.  He had a cell phone in his hand, and he was speaking into it.

Nick looked down at his charts.  He wanted to find a river to anchor in, some place out of the way so that he and Jo could have their talk.  He realized too late that he had effectively cut off communication with her by telling her to stay below.  There was no way to talk to her without anchoring the boat.  There was an intercom system between the cabin and the bridge, but Nick hadn’t learned how to use it. He was also sure that it would scare the hell out of Jo if his voice suddenly came out of the wall.

Nick concentrated on driving the boat.  He steered it up the channel away from the marina.  He thought about heading north instead of south once he was away from the prying eyes of the stranger on the dock.  Pete had to get his boat to Florida.  There was no way he would be heading north.

Nick’s psyche wanted to head south.  South was Florida.  South was home.  Home was safe.  Going north would be backtracking and getting them further away from where they wanted to be instead of closer.  As far as distance went, Jacksonville was closer than Savannah.  If they needed a big city police force or whatever, that would be the place to get it.  So that was another vote for south.

Between St. Simon’s Island and the Florida border is a section called the Dead Zone.  There are few towns and marinas.  The coastline is fairly wild, kept that way on purpose by the State of Georgia who did not want the shoulder-to-shoulder condominium sprawl that was the feature of the entire Florida coastline.  It’s beautiful country, but it’s also pretty isolated.

So was that a vote for north?

Nick didn’t know.  But what he did know was that when he came to the end of the channel twenty minutes later and had to make up his mind, he had it made up for him.  The Sunset Voyager was moored at the edge of the channel.  There was no sign of Pete on the back deck.

Nick moved the Lenore slowly past the other boat and turned it south.  He did not look back.  When he reached a bend in the river, he looked around. He could see Pete standing on the front deck of his boat.  He had binoculars up to his face.  And they were looking straight at Nick.

Pete waved.

Nick waved back.  He didn’t know what else to do.

Nick rounded the bend in the river and disappeared from Pete’s view.  Nick figured he didn’t have a lot of time before Pete came after them.  He grabbed his charts and studied them carefully.  He wanted to find a place to hide, so that Pete would go right past them.  Nick didn’t want Pete behind them.  He wanted him in front of them.

Nick’s eyes raced down the columns in the guidebook.  No anchorage at Brunswick.  There was a marina, but it was tiny.  There was no way to hide there.  The Frederica River…no…Jekyll Island…

Nick’s hand hovered over the write-up.  It said that there was no anchorage nearby, but Nick wasn’t intending on staying overnight anyway.  There was a marina with a restaurant, pool and bike rentals for exploring the island.  Nick didn’t give a rat’s ass about exploring the island, but he thought it might be a good place to hide.

Nick checked the charts.  It was seven miles away.  The waterway curved and twisted a lot.  If he could keep far enough ahead of Pete, he could swing the boat into the channel for the island without being seen.  Then they could hide behind the island until Pete passed.

It wasn’t much of a plan, but it was all Nick had for now.  He pushed the boat as hard as he could.  He was in shallow water with a lot of shoals, so he had to be careful.  Whenever he came to a straightaway, he chanced a glance over his shoulder.  Every time, he saw the Sunset Voyager.  Every time, it was a little closer.

Finally, as he was approaching the island, Nick veered off to the left away from the island.  He pushed the throttle forward and moved the boat quickly through the water.  He went around the bend and pulled the boat hard to the right, swinging it into an inlet that, according to the chart, circled around and came out behind the island.  As soon as Nick was out of sight of the waterway, he cut the engines and lay dead in the water.

Then he waited.

Down below, Jo felt the engines stop.  She crept into the living room and tried to peer out the window without being seen.  She could see nothing but water and coastline.  She moved to the other side.  Same thing.

They had stopped for some reason.  Jo wondered what it was.  She wondered if she should go up and ask.  She knew that Nick wanted to find a place to anchor and talk, but this didn’t seem like the place.  And he hadn’t dropped the anchor.  He had just stopped the boat and turned it off.

Jo tiptoed to the doorway leading to the back deck.  “Nick,” she called out softly.

“Stay there,” came the reply. “Be quiet.”

Nick stood on the bridge and strained his ears.  For awhile, he heard nothing.  Then faintly, the sound of a boat engine.  It came closer and closer.  Nick crossed his fingers.  Go past, he prayed.  Go past.

The engine sound began to grow faint again.  Then it disappeared.

It had worked.  Pete had gone past them.  Now, Nick was going to backtrack and hide behind Jekyll Island.  It was time to get the story from Jo.
Chapter 22 by old_archive
Nick restarted the engine and maneuvered the Lenore up the inlet and around into the protection of the island.  Then he dropped the anchor.  He felt secure.  Even if Pete did decide to backtrack and look for them, he would probably look on the marina side of the island.  If he came this far around, Nick would be able to see him coming and would just start the engines and move on.

He went below and got Jo.  He told her that she had to come up on the bridge with him.  Nick had to be able to see what was going on.

“He’s out there, then?” asked Jo.

“Yes, he is,” said Nick, and he told her what had been going on for the last couple of hours.

“Okay,” said Jo, “so do you think he knows I’m here?”

“I think so,” said Nick.  “At least, he’s suspicious.”  He told her about the hair.

Nick pulled two bottles of water from the cooler and twisted off the caps.  He handed one to Jo and then sat down in the captain’s chair.  He swiveled it around so he was facing her.  “So tell me why, Jo?” he said.  “Why is he bothering to follow you?”

“I think because I know too much.  About Mickey…”  Jo’s voice trailed off.

Nick waited for her to continue.  When she didn’t, he asked the big question.  “Why do you think Mickey’s…um…you know?”

“Because I can’t get in touch with her…on the phone.”  Jo gave a sheepish grin.  “She lives on the phone.”

“But Pete did…get in touch with her, I mean,” said Nick.  “He talked to her a couple of times that I know of.  In the restaurant… and on the boat…”

“No, he didn’t.  I think he was faking it.”

Nick sighed.  “Okay, let’s start at the beginning.  Who is Pete?”

“His name is Peter Crofton,” said Jo. “At least, that’s what he says it is.”

Jo began to tell her story.  Nick listened carefully, searching for any discrepancies in the story that Pete told him.  There were many, but they were tiny ones, inconsequential.  Pete had told Nick that he’d been going out with Mickey for two years.  According to Jo, they’d only known each other for a year.

“Why would he say ‘two’ then?” asked Nick.  “Why would he tell such an obvious lie?”

“Because he lies all the time.  Even when he doesn’t have to.  And besides, it was nothing.  If you ever got asked, he’d just say you were mistaken.  If all of this hadn’t happened, you probably wouldn’t even have remembered exactly what he said.”

“So why bother to tell me all that shit at all?” asked Nick.

“Because,” said Jo, “you were a gift from heaven for him.  You would be there to back up his story.”

“What story?”

“That Mickey was alive and well and talking on the phone to him while he was in Calabash.  That gives him an alibi, you see.  If he got questioned, he could say that he’d met this guy who could prove his story.  He didn’t figure he’d see you after the first night.  Do you understand?”

“Not really,” said Nick.  “Start from the beginning.”

The beginning was when Mickey had met Peter Crofton.  It had been at a wedding, just as Pete had said.  Mickey had fallen hard for the smooth talking, dark-haired man.  He was almost ten years older than her, in his early thirties.

Mickey and Jo had an interesting relationship; they seemed to be better friends when Mickey had a man.  It didn’t seem to matter if Jo did or not.  Mickey without a man was a mass of insecurities that kept her friends busy constantly bolstering her self-esteem.  She changed completely when she had a man, but even in the beginning stages, she needed reassurance that he was a nice guy, that people liked him, that she wasn’t a loser.

Jo tried hard to keep track of the relationship and be supportive, but it was hard when she was away at school.  And after the euphoria of the first couple of months, which Jo had witnessed, having been home on summer vacation, the bloom seemed to be off the rose. 

“In the beginning,” said Jo, “I got details.  Boy, did I get details!!  More than I ever wanted.  But it was cool because it was obvious that Mickey was head over heels for the guy.  But then…just before Christmas…it stopped…all the gushing and lovey-dovey stuff.  I thought at the time that maybe the relationship had just…you know, matured or something…but looking back on it now, I wonder if that’s when she started to get suspicious.”

“Suspicious of what?” asked Nick.

“I don’t really know exactly, “ said Jo, “but it had something to do with an ex-girlfriend.  Mickey said there was something not right about it.”

“You mean like maybe he was still seeing her?” suggested Nick.

“No, it wasn’t that.  The girl had died.  Pete said she’d had leukemia, and he’d nursed her through her last days.  In the beginning, it got him gigantic sympathy points with Mickey, but then she started to suspect something about the story.  She said she was going to check into it.  It happened when he lived in Florida.”

“He lived in Florida?”  Nick thought it was funny that Pete had never mentioned that to him.  It seemed an obvious conversation starter.

“Yeah, then he moved to Fayetteville after he met Mickey.  He told her that he was a boat broker and that he could do that from anywhere and he wanted to be near her.  She thought it was very romantic.”

“A boat broker?”

“Yes, I told you .  He lies about everything.  When Mickey found out what he really did, she didn’t care.  Delivering boats is actually kind of a cool way to make a living.  But he lied to her, and that made her wonder what else he was lying about.”

Nick nodded.  Yeah, he knew about lies.  They were like potato chips.  You could never have just one.

“Then she sent me an email telling me to use her work address and not send anything to her home email.”

“How do you know that had anything to do with Pete?” asked Nick.

“I don’t,” admitted Jo.  “And let’s face it, I was away at school, living my own life.  I didn’t put a lot of thought into it.  Like, I wasn’t sitting around thinking, Omigod, Mickey’s in danger.”

“Then what changed your mind?” asked Nick.

“She did.  She told me she thought she was in danger…or at least, that she didn’t trust him.  That’s why I came on this trip…because she asked me to.”

Over the winter months, Jo admitted, she’d let her email correspondence with Mickey slide a little.  She’d been busy working on her Master’s thesis and also having an intense but disastrous short-term relationship with a guy at school.  When she did email Mickey and inquired after Pete, the response was always that he was ‘fine’.

“You have to understand Mickey,” explained Jo.  She paused, trying to get the words to sound right.  She didn’t want to be disrespectful to her friend…especially now.  “Okay, there are some girls out there who need to be with a guy to have their own existence validated.  Mickey was one of those.  She was really pretty and nicely built, very shapely.  She was bright and witty…”

Jo paused, fighting back tears.  She realized she was using the past tense to describe her friend.
Jo shook her head, trying to regain control.  Then she continued.

“…but if Mickey didn’t have a guy in her life, she didn’t count for anything, in her opinion.  And the times that I didn’t have a man in my life and I told her that I was perfectly happy that way, she didn’t believe me.  She thought I was just fooling myself.  She didn’t see how any woman could be single and happy.  I think it’s her mother’s fault or something.”

Nick pursed his lips.  “So you think that even if she was suspicious of Pete for some reason…”

Jo nodded.  “It would take a lot for her to break up with him.  I mean, come on, the guy’s good looking, well-built, very charming…sure can tell a good story…and he courted her…the whole roses and champagne thing…fancy dinners…picnics in the park…”

“Sounds good to me,” said Nick.

“Yeah, sounds good to me too,” retorted Jo, “but somewhere along the line, it stopped.  For whatever reason, he stopped doing those things.”

“He stopped, or she just stopped telling you about it?” asked Nick.

Jo looked at him, and her neck stiffened.

“No, no, hear me out,” said Nick.  “You said that Mickey thought you were unhappy if you didn’t have a man…even if you didn’t think that…did you have a man then?”

“No,” said Jo, slowly.

“Well, see, maybe that was it,” said Nick.  “Maybe she thought that she was giving you too many details.  What was it you said?  ‘More than you ever wanted.’  Maybe she just stopped telling you about it.”

Jo chewed the inside of her mouth thoughtfully.   “No, that wasn’t it,” she said, coming to a decision.  “Besides, there were all the lies.”

“What lies?”

“I told you, Pete’s a compulsive liar.  He always makes himself sound better than he is.  There was the whole ‘boat broker’ thing.  And he told her that he’d been to college, but he hadn’t.”

Nick remembered Pete saying that he’d met Mickey at a wedding where the groom was a friend of Pete’s from college.

“How do you know?” asked Nick.

“Know what?” said Jo.

“How do you know he didn’t go to college?”

Jo sighed.  “I told you.  Mickey started checking him out.  He did something to make her suspicious.  I don’t know what it was.  But before I left for Europe, we went out for lunch.  Mickey told me he’d planned this vacation, taking her on the boat, but she wasn’t sure about him any more.  She asked me if I’d go with her – that she trusted my instincts, that I’d know if he was for real or not.”

Jo held her hands up in surrender.  “I don’t know any more than that.  I wish I did.  I wish I’d given her the third degree that day and pulled every detail out of her.  But I didn’t.  I was excited about going to Europe, and I wanted to talk about my plans and…and…if I’d only known…”

Jo broke down in tears.  She put her face in her hands and sobbed.

Nick waited her out because he didn’t know what else to do.  He put the two empty plastic bottles in the cooler and opened the cold ones.

“Here,” he said and then, “I’ll get some tissues.”

Nick went down the ladder to the back deck, wondering if he even had tissues.  Maybe toilet paper would do the trick if that’s all he had.  He went down the stairs to the living area and looked around.  Jo had tidied up during her enforced sojourn in the cabin.  The coffee maker had been washed and the mugs washed and put away.

Nick didn’t see any tissues.  He went up the hall to his bedroom.  The bed was made, and all his clothes were folded neatly on the chair.  He smiled to himself.  He went back along the hall to the bathroom and pulled a long strip of toilet paper off the roll.  He wrapped it around his hand telling himself to remember to put tissues on a shopping list.

If only tissues were the biggest problem in my life right now, Nick said to himself.

He took a moment to reflect on Jo’s words.  He had no doubt that she believed what she was saying.  But if he wanted to play devil’s advocate, Nick thought he could counter each one of her arguments with…with what?  Nick was afraid to say it to Jo, but he thought he could counter them with reality.  She hadn’t said anything so far to make him think that Mickey had been harmed, that Pete was out to get Jo.  If Mickey were here, Nick was sure she’d tell Jo the same thing!

That was it!

Nick grabbed his cell phone from the counter and went back on deck.  No big deal, he thought, we’ll just call her up.  He’d been waiting for five days to meet Mickey.  It was time he did.
Chapter 23 by old_archive
Nick went back up on deck.  He handed the toilet paper to Jo and looked out over the water as she blew her nose and wiped her eyes.  When she had regained control of herself, Nick held up the cell phone.

“Let’s call Mickey,” he said.

“Okay,” said Jo, doubtfully.

“What’s her number at work?” asked Nick.  He flipped open his phone and stared at the screen for a moment.  “Damn!”

“What’s the matter?” asked Jo.

“Oh, we’re just in a bad area.  There’s no signal.”

Jo’s shoulders sagged a little.  “Well, we can try later, I guess, but…”  She didn’t sound hopeful.

“Tell me more,” said Nick.  “You said that Mickey said she was in danger.  This was before you left for Europe, right?”

“Yes, when we had lunch.  She asked me to go on this trip with her.  She said that Pete had been doing some strange things, and it had made her nervous.  She said that she didn’t want to tell me everything until she’d checked out all the facts, but she knew one thing for sure, she didn’t want to be alone on the boat with him.”

“Pete said that he was going to ask her to marry him on the trip,” said Nick.  “Do you think that’s what it might have been?  That he was secretive or whatever because he was planning a surprise?”

Jo thought about it. 

“Maybe,” she said.  “But why was Mickey checking him out then?  She told me it had something to do with his past…that she couldn’t have a future with him until she figured out his past.  And what she was finding out was making her nervous.”

Nick thought about it for a moment.  “So you think that she found out that he didn’t go to college, and so…even if that didn’t matter to her, you know, that he wasn’t a college graduate…it meant that he could maybe have lied about other stuff too.”

“Yeah,” said Jo, nodding, “something like that.  Something was making her uncomfortable about him…uncomfortable enough that she asked me to go on this trip when I got back from Europe.  I remember her saying something like she didn’t want to end up like his last girlfriend.”

“Did you see her when you got back?” asked Nick.

“I saw her once, but she was with Pete, so we didn’t get to talk much.”

“What did she tell Pete…to get him to let you come on this trip?…I mean, if he was planning on proposing and all, then he wouldn’t want you here.”

“IF he was planning on proposing,” insisted Jo.  “We don’t know that’s true.  That’s just what he told you.”

“Still doesn’t answer the question,” said Nick.  “What did Mickey tell him?  I mean, what could she say…that you needed a vacation?  You were just getting back from a couple of months in Europe.”

Jo looked pained.  She pinched her lips together and stared over the side of the boat for a moment.

Then she said, “She didn’t tell Pete that I was coming until the last moment.  She didn’t want him to have time to back out of it or find a reason for me not to come along.”

Nick waited. 

Jo knew she hadn’t answered the question.  “Okay,” she said, “Mickey told him that I had got my heart broken in Europe, and that I needed to have some time with her to…decompress it, get over it, whatever.  She told Pete that I was…”

“Fragile?” asked Nick.

Jo looked at him in surprise.  “Yeah, that’s right.  How do you know that?”

“That’s what Pete said,” replied Nick.  “The first night we met.  He told me that he was going to propose to Mickey but that she had insisted on having her friend along and that her friend was a bit fragile.”

“What did you think that meant?” asked Jo.

“Hell, I didn’t know,” said Nick.  “And then you came in, and you were all sleepy looking and said you had jet lag.  And then you weren’t eating, and I heard you throwing up once, and Pete told me the story, so I figured that’s what ‘fragile’ meant.”  He paused.  “I still don’t understand why he told me that story.”

“Okay,” said Jo, “this is the way I have it figured.  Pete killed Mickey because she found out something about his past.  I know she did that because of what she was able to say to me before we left.  She told me that she’d be paying very close attention during this trip to Florida and that, at the end of it, she had a hard decision to make.”

Jo held up a hand to keep Nick from speaking.  “And I know it wasn’t whether or not to marry him.  I think it was whether or not to turn him in to the police.”

Nick shook his head in exasperation.  “Jo, you can’t make a leap of logic like that.  If it was something that serious, Mickey would have told you.  Or she wouldn’t have agreed to go on the trip in the first place.”

“Yes, she would have if she thought she’d get the answers she wanted.  You didn’t know her.  She was a very determined sort.  And a very fair one, too.  So she wouldn’t turn Pete in, or whatever she was planning, until she knew for certain.  And she thought she’d find something out in Florida.  She told me.”

“Okay,” said Nick, “but you are still a very long way from ‘Pete killed Mickey’.”

“I know,” said Jo.  “I can see that you don’t believe me.”  She sighed.  “Let me try again.  The day before we were supposed to leave, I got a message on my voicemail.  It was Mickey.  She said she hoped I wouldn’t be too disappointed if we didn’t make the trip.  She said that she had one more piece of the puzzle to find, and if she found it that day, we would stay home and not go with him.  And that’s the last I heard from her.”

“But here you are,” said Nick.

“Yes, here I am, but Mickey’s not here.  Pete came over the next day and picked me up and said that the plan had changed because Mickey had to work late.  We drove down to the boat and got everything ready.  He had Mickey’s suitcase and everything.”

Nick nodded.  So far, that was exactly the story that Pete had told the day they met.

“What did you talk about in the car?” he asked.

“Nothing much,” said Jo.  “I wasn’t feeling well…jet lag, remember.  Pete stopped off at a 7-11 and got me a cold drink.  An hour later, I was really sick.  He had to stop the car, so I could throw up on the side of the road.  It wasn’t pretty.”

“And you think he poisoned the drink?” asked Nick.

“I don’t know if he did or if it was something else and he just got the idea from that or what…” Jo shook her head in frustration.  She knew that she wasn’t getting through to Nick.

“Okay, let’s fast forward,” she said.  “Just for the sake of argument, let’s agree that he killed Mickey.  Let’s take it from there.”

“Okay,” said Nick, even though there was no way he agreed with that.

“Here’s what I think his plan was.  He wanted to establish an alibi.  So he picks me up, and we come down to the boat just like we’d planned it.  His idea is to make me think that Mickey’s still alive, and that when we find out she’s not, he’ll have an alibi…me.  Except that an even better alibi came along…you.”

“Me?” said Nick.

“Yeah, you were even better because you were a stranger.  But a famous one, so if he had to come up with a name, it would be easy to do.  That’s why I think he faked the phone call in the restaurant.”

“How do you know that was a fake?  It sounded pretty real to me.”

“I know, but…I mean, even I didn’t think it was fake at the time.  It was only later when he kept saying that she’d called and I never got to talk to her.  I think he was making it all up.  There’s no way Mickey would have talked to him that many times and not insisted on speaking with me.”

“Okay, but he said that she was still at work, that she was going out to dinner with the boss.  How was he gonna square that away if she was already…gone?” asked Nick.

“What do you mean?” asked Jo.

“Look,” said Nick.  “If the police talked to you or me, we would tell them what she said.  Then they would ask her boss, and he would say, no that’s not what happened, and they would know Pete was lying.”

Jo shook her head.  “He’d just have another lie ready.  He would just say that Mickey had said something else, but he’d hadn’t wanted to tell us the truth.  He’d have a story ready, I know he would.  Besides, that’s not the way it was supposed to work out. You were supposed to go off on your boat, go on with your life, forget all about the conversation, and I was supposed to be dead.”

“And you don’t think anyone would have been suspicious that both you and Mickey turned up dead?”

“I wasn’t supposed to turn up dead.  I was supposed to disappear.  There’s no way Pete could let me go back home.  He didn’t know what Mickey had said to me, how much I knew.  I think if you hadn’t kept turning up, he might have tried to brazen it out with me…and then just killed me after we got to Florida.”

“What?”  Nick couldn’t believe this.

“I think he was making it up as he went along.  Maybe he killed Mickey in the heat of passion.  This was his desperate attempt to cover it up.  I think he kept changing the plan.  No…let me talk…”  Jo waved off Nick’s attempt to interrupt.

“I think he killed her.  He wanted an alibi so that when she was found, he could say that he’d talked to her and that she was alive after he’d got on the boat.  If he could make me believe that too, then everything would have been fine.  I would have been a great witness for him.  Except that he knows I don’t like him.  So then you come along.  He tells you the story.  Like within the first five minutes of meeting you, right?”

Nick nodded.

“Yeah,” Jo went on.  “I mean, before you even sorted the groceries, he’d spilled his story to you.  Who does that?”

Nick shrugged.  He didn’t know.

“And then he asked you out to dinner.  This was perfect for him.  He fakes the phone call and everyone goes their merry way.  You would go off thinking that Pete and Mickey were very happy together, he was going to propose, she was alive and well and going to meet him in Charleston, and that I was a bit…fragile.”

Nick nodded again.  Yeah, that’s what he had thought.

“But then you showed up in Charleston.  You weren’t supposed to do that.  You were supposed to be leisurely cruising the Waterway, miles behind us.”

“So then he had to keep up with the story,” said Nick.

“Yeah.  If you hadn’t showed up, he could have just played it by ear with me.  If I was buying into the story, fine, if not…then…he’d do whatever to me…and just tell people that I’d decided to go home, and he didn’t know what happened to me after that.  He wasn’t pleased to see you in Charleston.  Now I know why.”

Nick remembered how he’d tracked them to the right marina in Charleston.  He also remembered that Pete hadn’t seemed pleased to see him.  And that, the next day, Pete hadn’t showed up in Beaufort like he’d said he was going to.  And in Savannah too.  Pete had been surprised to see him again there.

Jo continued talking.  “It was right after we left Charleston that he started insisting on giving me herbal tea.  He’d already told you the story about me, right?”

“Yeah,” said Nick, “that was in Charleston.  He said he hoped that Mickey would get there soon because he didn’t know how to deal with you and your illness on his own.”

“Right!  So, if asked, you would have had to state that not only was Pete expecting Mickey to show up, he was truly hoping that she would.”

“Yes,” said Nick, “that’s what I would have said.”

“And you would also have had to say that you thought I was a mental case.”

Nick nodded.  Yes, he would have had to say that.  He wished he was more certain in his heart that he didn’t still believe that about her.

“Jo,” he tried, “there’s no evidence.  It’s just your theory, and for everything you’ve said, I’m sure that Pete has an explanation.”

“A lie, you mean.”

Nick sighed. 

Jo’s eyes filled with tears.  “You didn’t know her, Nick.  She would never have let me come on this boat with him by myself.  Never!  We were Mickey and Jo.  We were a team.  And she would never, ever, ever have allowed him to say that she couldn’t speak to me on the phone because I was sleeping.  The phone calls were fake, Nick!  I know they were!  So if Mickey didn’t call, where is she?”
Chapter 24 by old_archive
“Where is she?”

The question hung in the air between them.

“Well,” said Nick, “let’s go find out.”

“Okay,” said Jo.  “How are we going to do that?”

“We’re going back to St. Simon’s,” said Nick, firmly.  North had won out over South.

Jo seemed surprised byhis decision.  “Back?”

“Yes.  We’ll go back.  Pete won’t think to look for us there.  We can get into an area where I can use my phone, and we’ll call.  One way or the other, we’ll get it straightened out.”

Jo sagged with relief.  “Thank you,” she said.

Nick could see tears welling up in her eyes again.  He turned away and started talking quickly.  “Okay, I’m going to teach you how to use this intercom.  That way, we can communicate with each other when you’re below.”

“Do you think I should go back down there?” asked Jo.  “I thought Pete was long gone.”

“I think he is too, but you never know. And besides,” Nick winked at her.  “I’m hungry.  You can make me some lunch.”

Jo was surprised by how her stomach flipped over at the lazy grin that crossed Nick’s face.  “Yeah, sure,” she said, feeling a blush creep up her neck.

Nick didn’t know why Jo’s face was turning red, but it was better than her crying.  “See this button here,” he said, and he proceeded to explain the intercom.  “Now let’s go below, and see how it works from down there.”

“You mean you don’t know?” said Jo, flashing Nick a grin that made him suck in his breath.

Wow! he thought.  She really needed to smile more often.

“Listen up, you,” said Nick.  “I haven’t really needed an intercom, have I, being the only one on the boat and all.”

“I guess not,” said Jo.  She climbed down the ladder and went below.

Nick followed her and went over to the panel of switches and gauges.  “Here,” he said.

“Oh, this looks challenging,” said Jo, sarcastically, although there was humor in her voice.  She pressed a button marked ‘Talk’. 

“Hello out there,” she said.

“I guess we’d know better if you were doing the right thing if there was someone on the other end of it,” said Nick.  “I’ll go back up.”

He moved past Jo, putting a hand on her waist as he went by, moving her slightly out of the way…and slightly out of her mind.

The intercom wasn’t hard to figure out…just press the button and talk…The mechanics were very simple, but the conversation was not.  After the initial, ‘testing, testing, are you there, Nick?’ and the ‘yeah, I’m here,’ there was a silence while each tried to think of something witty to say.  Neither could, and then they both pushed the TALK button at the same time which produced a little jolt of feedback.  There was more silence followed finally by, “Okay, Captain, what do you want for lunch?”

Jo waited by the intercom for Nick’s response.  He didn’t seem to be answering.

“Sandwiches work for me,” said a voice at her ear.

Jo jumped and turned, right into Nick.

“Oh, you startled me,” she said.

“I brought down the water bottles,” explained Nick.  “I thought I’d get a refill.  While you’re making lunch, I’ll get us underway again.  Then you can bring the sandwiches topside.  Does that sound like a plan?”

“It sounds like a great plan,” said Jo.  “The faster we can get back, the happier I’ll be.  I want to know…”

Nick nodded and went back to the bridge.  He started the engines and pulled up the anchor.  He headed around the island slowly and then into the inlet.  He passed several boats, but he didn’t recognize any of them.  When he pulled back into the waterway, he turned north.

The scenery was beautiful, and the traffic wasn’t heavy.  Nick enjoyed the sun on his face and the breeze through his hair.  He loved the water.  It was his place.

Mon capitaine?” said Jo, over the intercom.

Oui, mon…”  Nick stopped there.  That was about the limit of his French.  “Oui?” he repeated.

Le lunch,” said Jo, in a heavy French accent, “she is servi.”

“Can you bring it up here?” asked Nick.

“Sure can,” said Jo, dropping the French.  “What do you want to drink?”

“There’s Coke in the fridge,” said Nick.  “I’ll take one of those.”

“Okey dokey,” said Jo.

The thought that Pete was long gone seemed to take the pressure off Jo, Nick saw.  She was much more carefree.  She smiled a lot more, and her posture was more relaxed.  They laughed and talked about other things than murder and mayhem while they ate their lunch.  Periodically, Nick checked his cell phone to see if he could place a call.  They weren’t too far from St. Simon’s Island when the screen finally lit up with a connection.

“Okay, first things first,” said Nick.  “Hand me the guidebook.”

Jo passed the book over, and Nick quickly looked up the number for the Golden Isles Marina.  He called the number and made a reservation for that night.  Then he passed the cell phone to Jo.

“Call Mickey’s number,” he said.

Jo took the phone and punched in the number.  She waited through several rings and then flipped the phone shut.  “It went to her voice mail,” she said sadly.

Nick watched her shoulders slump.  “Do you know her office number?” he said. 

Jo nodded.  “Sure, I do.”

“Then call there,” said Nick. 

Jo took a deep breath and punched in the number.   She talked for a few minutes and then said, “Okay, thanks” and hung up.

Nick looked at her expectantly.

“She’s on vacation,” said Jo.  “She hasn’t been seen since Thursday.  Her vacation started Friday.”

“Friday was the day you guys boarded the boat,” said Nick.

“Yes,” said Jo, “the night she was supposedly working late.”

“What about calling her family?” suggested Nick.

Jo sighed.  “I don’t want to do that.  I keep hoping I’m wrong, that there’s some reasonable explanation.  I don’t want to panic them for no reason.”

Nick nodded.  Yeah, that wouldn’t be cool.  “Okay,” he said, “give me back the phone, and come here.”

Jo moved beside him.  Nick took the phone from her and said, “Drive the boat while I make a call.”

He moved away from the wheel and Jo moved in.

“I don’t have to know anything special to do this, do I?” she asked.

“Just keep it in the middle of the waterway,” said Nick.  “You’ll be fine.”

He punched in some numbers on the phone.

“Hey, Bernie.  It’s Nick…yeah, yeah, I’m fine…having a great time…yeah, the boat’s great; I love her…no, I haven’t decided that yet…I’ve had a few ideas…I’ll know the right name when I hear it…Listen, Bernie, I want you to check on something for me.”

Jo listened as Nick handed off the situation to his assistant.  He wanted Bernie to check on the whereabouts of Mickey…Michelle…Here Nick looked over at Jo and she said, “Lassiter.”

“…Michelle Lassiter.  She lives at…”

Jo provided the personal details and Nick passed them over to Bernie.  He explained the situation briefly, leaving out the more insane-sounding parts, just telling him that Jo was out of touch with her friend and was worried.

Bernie took down all the information and said he’d see what he could do and he’d get back to Nick with a report this evening one way or another.  Then he said that the whole ‘traveling alone thing’ didn’t seem to have lasted very long.

Nick laughed and said, “Yeah, well…” and then flipped the phone shut. 

“There that’s done,” he said.  “Now, we wait.”

Jo moved out of his way, giving him access to the wheel again.  She stood beside him, staring out over the water.  “At least, now waiting has a purpose,” she said, “if you know what I mean.”

Nick nodded.  “Yeah, I know what you mean.  Hey, look!  There’s the end of the island.  We’ll be there in half an hour.”

“Great,” said Jo, picking up the tray.  “I’ll go tidy up.  Then I’ll come back and help you dock her.”

“Cool,” said Nick, turning the boat into the channel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The clerk at the marina hung up the phone.  Then he picked it up again and dialed a number.

“Hello.”

“Hey, Man, it’s Tony…from the Golden Isles.  Say, I was just wondering…you know that boat you wanted me to call you about this morning?”

“Yeah.”

“Well, would it be worth another fifty to you to know where she is?”

“It certainly would.  You know where she is right now?”

“Well, I know that the guy just called and booked a berth for tonight.”

“Where?”

“Here.  At the Golden Isles.”

“Son of a bitch!”

“You want I should book you a berth too, Mr. Crofton?”

“Yeah, Tony, I do.  I’ll see you later.”

Pete spun the wheel on the Sunset Voyager and swung her around…heading north.
Chapter 25 by old_archive
Nick and Jo got the Lenore settled at the dock and Nick walked up to the office to pay the dockage fee. He was surprised to see that the man standing behind the desk was the man he’d seen earlier that morning on the dock.  Nick wasn’t surprised because the man was there, he had assumed the guy worked at the marina somewhere, it was just that there’d been a different person on the desk the day before.

“Hello, again,” said the clerk.  “Welcome back to the Golden Isles.”

“Thanks,” said Nick, dropping his credit card on the desk.

“I thought you were heading to Florida,” said the clerk, nonchalantly, sliding the credit card through the electronic slot.

“We were…I was…I…uh…something came up.  We’ll go tomorrow.”

“Hmmm,” said the clerk, thoughtfully, “so it’s not a booking for one?”

“It’s a booking for one boat,” said Nick, suddenly suspicious.  “There’s no charge for the people, is there?”

“No, no,” said the clerk, waving his hand through the air.  “I just thought you were alone."

Nick signed the credit card receipt without answering.  He picked up his copy and walked out of the office, saying, “See ya” over his shoulder.

Back at the Lenore, Jo sat on the sofa waiting for Nick to return.  She was a mass of nerves.  A strange calm had settled over her on the trip back.  It was odd, she thought, that she should be made calm by the realization that she was probably about to get the worst news of her entire life.  But knowing the worst was better than not knowing anything at all.  Just the fact that they were heading for civilization, for authority, for cell phone range had put Jo’s mind at ease and she had been able to enjoy the trip back.

And she had enjoyed it immensely.  Nick was a very personable man, and they had had a wonderful conversation, laughing and joking.  Jo found it difficult to concentrate at times because she couldn’t seem to take her eyes off his hands, which rested on the wheel, moving the huge boat through the water with the ease of his fingertips.

Now Jo was sitting on the sofa, waiting for him to return and quivering with nerves…excitement, anxiety and…she didn’t want to put a name to the third one but she did…desire.  Immediately after having identified that particular nerve, Jo felt guilty.  She was sitting here waiting to hear the worst about Mickey, and she wanted to pass the time by…by what, Jo?  Getting laid?

Jo stood up and started pacing the small area of the living room.  Breathe, she told herself, breathe.  Her heart leapt into her throat as she felt Nick step onto the boat.  She stopped pacing and stared at the stairs, watching him descend…feet…legs…torso…face… With each step he descended, Jo’s heart rate went up.

“Okay,” we’re booked in,” said Nick.  “What do you want to do now?”

One look at Jo’s face told Nick the answer to that question.  It made a thrill of anticipation wash over him.

“I…uh…I…” Jo began.  Then she stopped and took a deep breath.  “I want to go to bed.  I mean…I…um...”  Jo knew her face was scarlet.  “I mean…have a nap…I…uh…we…uh…we didn’t get much sleep last night.  And I’m…uh…tired.  So…I’d like to have a nap.  Oh, my…” 

This last was uttered because Nick had finally reached her.  He had walked slowly toward her as she had sputtered out her inane and transparent thoughts.  He hadn’t taken his eyes off hers, and when he reached her, he traced his fingers slowly down the side of her jaw.

“We could nap,” said Nick, softly.  “Or…”

He got no further.  All of the emotion and uncertainty and craziness that had been swirling through them both solidified into one feeling…passion.

Jo took a step forward and fell into Nick’s arms.  She tipped her face up to his and whispered, “Yes, please.”

Nick put his mouth on hers and indulged her until she felt the room spinning.  Then, without letting go of her, he backed her up the hall into his room and onto the bed.

They made love ferociously, their hands in constant motion.  Nick only hesitated once, just before he entered Jo’s slender body.  He looked into her eyes, asking her silently if she was sure.  In response, she pushed her body up against his and moaned.

They moved together, communing silently except for tiny grunts and whimpers.  Then they reached a peak where they could put all the fear and desperation behind them, and they sailed off the other side, careening through the atmosphere together until they eventually floated back to Earth.

When Nick thought he’d reached the point where he could breathe and talk at the same time, he raised his head and kissed Jo on the forehead.  He moved out of her, eliciting a small sound of disapproval from her. 

“I’ll be right back,” he said.

Nick went to the washroom and disposed of the condom.  He looked at himself in the mirror.  His cheeks were red, and his eyes were droopy with sex.  Was he the dumbest fucking man in the universe or the luckiest?  He couldn’t decide.  So he went back to bed.

“Glad I closed those curtains,” he said, crawling into the bed.

“Mmm,” murmured Jo in agreement.  Her eyes were closed, and she was close to sleep.

Nick moved up behind her, and a few minutes later, he was asleep as well.

They slept that way for two hours, giving Pete ample time to make his way back up the waterway to St. Simon’s Island.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jo woke up first.  It took her a moment to figure out where she was and who she was with.  When she did, the sensation of warmth started at her toes and made its way through her entire body.  She chanced a tiny turning of her head, not wanting to wake Nick.

God, he was beautiful!  And such a kind man.  So sweet and helpful.  And sexy…oh yeah, he was beyond sexy.

Jo wasn’t fooling herself.  She knew that she and Nick had indulged in a round of desperation fucking, but he had made it seem as if he were making love to the most important person in his life.  It had been an awesome experience.

Jo reached out and tentatively touched Nick’s face.

He opened his eyes.  “Hey,” he said, sleepily.

“Hey,” replied Jo.

Nick sat up in the bed and rearranged the pillows behind him.  He propped himself up on them and then said, “Come here.”

Jo moved into the shelter of his arm and laid her head on his chest.  She ran her finger lazily over his tattoo of a foot and sighed.

Nick sighed too.  He was pretty sure conversation was in order here, but he didn’t have the slightest idea how to begin.  So he said nothing for awhile.  He was proud of himself for that.  He realized that it was older, mature Nick who was in charge of his brain at this point.  Younger, stupid Nick would have been babbling inanities like a gushing waterfall. 

After a minute or so, Nick ran a fingernail down Jo’s arm, causing her to twitch and then start to giggle.

“Sorry,” she said, turning her head and smiling up at Nick, “but I don’t seem to be in charge of my nerve endings any longer.”

Nick smiled and did the finger thing again, only this time using all his fingers, dancing them down her arm.  He laughed at the gasp that erupted out of Jo.  “I seem to have some kind of superpower thing going on here,” he said.

“You can say that again,” said Jo. 

Then she forced herself to be quiet, to shut up for once in her life and not babble out some nonsense…stuff like how she wasn’t really that kind of girl, she didn’t usually throw herself on strange men, how she wasn’t really insane, all evidence to the contrary, how desperately afraid she had been for her own life and how Nick had saved her… Thankfully, she was able to shut her mouth and say nothing.

Instead, she simply reciprocated Nick’s motion by running one fingernail from his neck down to his navel.  This time, it was his turn to twitch and giggle.

“I have a question,” said Nick.

Jo got a queasy feeling in her stomach.  “Yes?” she replied.

“You know how you said before that Pete didn’t want me around after that first night?”

“Yes…” said Jo, slowly.

”Well, it was his idea to come here.  He’s the one that suggested I make the reservation.  Remember…on the boat, when we had lunch together…”

“Yes, I remember,” said Jo.  “He did it because he wanted to know where you were.  He wanted you to push on to St. Simon’s, and then we would just go slowly behind you and never catch up.  Except that you followed us and wouldn’t pass and in the end, he didn’t have a choice about it.”

Jo smiled ruefully, remembering.  “That day was not a good day for Pete from the get go.  I had started refusing to drink the herbal tea or to eat anything that I hadn’t prepared myself or seen him make.  I was refusing to cooperate in my own demise.  I started getting more insistent about wanting to talk to Mickey.  And I’d sent you that message at dinner the night before…or at least, tried to…you know, about the song.”

Nick smiled down at her.  “I remember.  At first, I just thought you were a so-so fan and didn’t know the name of the first single.  Then I figured it out.  You know what I did then?”

Jo shook her head.  “No, what did you do?”

Nick sighed.  “I sat up all night and watched your boat.”  He pointed upward to the bridge far above them.  “I don’t know why…and then in the morning, when Pete left so early…like…like…I don’t know, like he was sneaking out of town or something.”

“I think that was the day he’d decided to get rid of me,” said Jo.  “I was becoming more trouble than I was worth.  He parked that boat in the river and said that we were just going to enjoy nature for awhile.  I think he was waiting to make sure that you were long gone, and then he was going to get rid of me.  Then, if anyone ever asked, he could say I left the boat in Savannah to go home.  So I’m really glad that you turned into that river and saw us.”

“Well, he’s long gone now,” said Nick.  “You’re not in any danger any more.  And Bernie will phone me back in a couple of hours, and we’ll know for sure…you know…one way or the other…”  Nick was not going to put Mickey’s fate into words…one way or the other.

Jo nodded.  “And in the meantime, maybe we can go and take showers at the marina, and I can buy some shampoo and stuff.”

“Yes,” said Nick.  “That’s a good idea…for later.”

He ran his fingernails down Jo’s spine and then rolled her onto her back.
Chapter 26 by old_archive
“Okay, Sleepyhead, up and at ‘em!”

Nick groaned.  “Five more minutes,” he said, drowsily.  The two sleepless nights had caught up to him, and he had celebrated the second round of lovemaking by taking another nap.

Jo had slept too but had wakened earlier than Nick.  She stayed still and quiet, watching Nick’s chest rise and fall as he breathed.  Jo wished fervently that the moment could never end, that she could spend eternity in this bed with him and never have to confront reality.

Finally, she slipped out of bed and went to the bathroom.  She washed herself as best she could and brushed her teeth.  She really wanted to have a shower.

Jo reached up and tugged on her hair.  More strands came out.  Jo looked around for a plastic bag or some container that she could put the hair in.  There might be some kind of evidence in it.  She didn’t see anything she could use, so she wrapped the strands carefully in a facecloth and carried the cloth to the guest bedroom where she tucked it into a pair of underwear.  Then she pulled on the long t-shirt that Nick had given her the night before.

“Hey there…”

Nick opened his eyes at the second call.  He swiveled his head, stretching his neck.  Then he stretched his arms and legs out.  Jo stood in the doorway watching him and biting her lip.

“What time is it?” asked Nick.

“It’s nearly six,” said Jo.

“Time to get up,” said Nick, but he didn’t move.

“Yeah, they have showers here…at the marina…I thought I might…”

“Yeah, me too,” agreed Nick, raising himself up on his elbows.  “Man, I was so tired.” 

He swung his legs over the side of the bed, keeping the duvet strategically placed.  Jo smiled at him and backed out of the room.  Nick threw on some sweatpants and a t-shirt.  He went to the washroom and grabbed his toiletry kit.  He looked in the mirror and ran his hand over his chin.  Scruffy, he thought, I’d better shave.

Together, Nick and Jo headed for the showers.  Nick took his time, shaving carefully.  He figured he could take all the time he wanted.  He’d still be finished way before Jo.  He wasn’t sure what took girls so long in the shower, but…

When Nick came out of the building, he wasn’t sure what to do.  He didn’t want to hang around the showers waiting for Jo to come out of the woman’s side.  He also didn’t want her to come out and be all freaked out or something if he wasn’t there.

Nick decided to go back to the Lenore.  He’d left his cell phone there, and Bernie would be calling soon.  Yeah, he thought, that’s a good idea.  I’ll go back and check…see if Bernie called.  Then if I have bad news, I can maybe think of a way of telling Jo without having her go hysterical.

Nick shook his head as he walked down the dock.  He wasn’t sure he could even verbalize such horrifying news, let alone do it calmly and reasonably.  He just hoped that it would be good news he would be imparting.

Nick was just about to step onto the Lenore when he saw a movement out of the corner of his eye. Striding up the dock toward him was Peter Crofton.

“Nick,” he called.

Nick turned toward him.  Oh shit, where was Jo?  Nick swiveled his neck, as if stretching it, taking in the entire marina in his glance.  He could see the showers.  He prayed that Jo was one of those girls who took long, long showers.

“Pete,” said Nick, as calmly as he could.  “What are you doing back here?”

“Well, I guess I could ask you the same question, couldn’t I?” retorted Pete.

Nick tried to read the other man.  Pete didn’t seem angry or upset.

“I needed to make some calls,” said Nick.  “Something came up about business, and I was stuck in a dead zone, so I decided to come back here.”  Nick was proud of himself that he hadn’t lied.  He shrugged and said, “I’ve got lots of time to get to Florida.”

“Hmmm,” said Pete.  “I came back here to check on Jo.”

“Jo?” Nick repeated the name but said nothing else.

“She called me last night.  She told me that she was staying in a hotel, that she was done with the boat and just wanted to go home.”  Pete leaned into Nick and whispered, “I was kinda relieved, you know what I mean.  She was getting…”

Nick didn’t react.  He kept his face as still as he could and tried desperately to figure out what he should say.

Pete took a deep breath.  “But then, you know, I started feeling guilty…what if she wasn’t okay, what if she’d just got a hotel to have a little privacy for…you know…  Anyway, I decided to come back and check on her…make sure she’s okay.  I’ll still have enough time to get to Ft.  Lauderdale.”

Nick felt sick.  In his mind, he’d cast Pete in the role of murderer.  He had done so without any basis in fact.  Of the two, Pete seemed much more reasonable and mature than Jo.  So why had Nick believed Jo?

It did Nick little good to tell himself that he hadn’t believed Jo, that he had questioned her story at every turn, that he was expecting Bernie to have good news for them.  He still felt guilty for having doubted Pete.

“Well,” said Nick.  It was time to confess, he figured.  He couldn’t let Pete go off on a wild-goose chase checking on every hotel in the area when Nick had Jo right here at the marina.  “She’s okay.  You don’t have to worry about that.  She’s…uh…she’s…with me.”

Pete looked puzzled.  “With you?”

“Yeah,” said Nick.  “Last night, after I got back from being with you…you know, looking for her… she came to the boat…and she…uh…she told me that she’d…uh…told you that she was going to a hotel…and that…uh…”

Pete grinned.

It surprised the hell out of Nick.  He didn’t know what he was expecting Pete to do, but that sure wasn’t it.  He figured Pete would be pissed that he’d wasted the effort to come back here, or that he would be mad at Nick for taking Jo or some kind of reaction that spoke of anger…he wasn’t expecting Pete to grin.

“You Backstreet Boys,” said Pete, shaking his head.  “You’re real babe magnets.  I guess it isn’t in you to let one walk on by…”

“No,” insisted Nick, “it wasn’t like that.  I didn’t…”

A voice came from behind him.  “It wasn’t him, Pete.  It was me.”

Nick looked around to see Jo standing at the stairs to the lower deck.  She was dressed in shorts and a t-shirt.  Her hair was wet and pulled back in a ponytail.  She walked up to Nick and slipped her arm around his waist.  Then she looked at Pete.

“I kinda threw myself at him,” she admitted sheepishly, leaning into Nick.

Nick could feel her trembling against him.  He tightened his arm around her and dropped a kiss on her head.  “Yeah, she did,” he said, “and I caught her.”  He looked back at Pete.  “I’m sorry, Man, I thought everything was straightened out.  I never woulda…”

“Nah, that’s okay,” said Pete.  “No problem.  I just wanted to make sure, you know, that Jo was okay.”

“Why wouldn’t I be?” asked Jo, in a challenging tone.  “It’s not like I have an eating disorder or something.”

Nick waited to see how Pete would respond to that.  Pete shook his head and then said sadly, “No, of course you don’t, Jo.”

Jo opened her mouth to…well, Nick wasn’t really sure what, but he knew it would have serious consequences…ones that he wasn’t sure he was prepared for.  He squeezed his arm tight around Jo and then loosened his grip.

“Why don’t you go get started on the dinner?” he said, deliberately not inviting Pete to join them.

Jo got the hint and turned away.  “Sure,” she said, and then she disappeared below decks without saying goodbye to Pete.

Nick stepped up on the dock and started walking, leaving Pete little alternative but to follow him.  Nick wanted to put some distance between Jo and Pete.

“I…uh…I hope this doesn’t get you too far behind schedule,” said Nick, after a few steps.

Pete shrugged.  “I’ll still make it.  Still, if I’d only known, I could have been in Jacksonville by now.”

“Well, maybe,” said Nick, “Hey, maybe you could get Mickey to meet you, and the two of you could finish the trip together.”

Pete shook his head.  “No, that’s not going to happen.”  He sighed deeply.  “I guess it never was.”

Nick raised his eyebrows.

“I don’t think Mickey ever planned on coming along,” said Pete.  “I think I’ve been dumped ‘in absentia’.”

“What do you mean?” asked Nick.  “I thought she was going to fly out to Charleston.”

“No,” said Pete, “I think she just said that because she wasn’t ready to let me down yet.”

“But the calls…?”

Pete looked around him.  Then he leaned close to Nick.  “There were only a couple of calls,” he said.  “The night she called when we were in the restaurant…I think she might have told me then, but we got talking about…well, about you!”

“Yeah,” said Nick, “and then she called later and said she’d try and catch up.”

“I think she wanted to make sure that I was well underway and wouldn’t be waiting for her,” said Pete.  “And the last time she called, in Charleston, she sort of told me then she wouldn’t be coming.”

“Jo said there were other calls,” said Nick.

“Yeah, I know.  I made those up.  She was starting to get hysterical that Mickey hadn’t arrived…I don’t know, like she was afraid she’d had an accident or something…so I told her that Mickey had called when she was napping.”

“Why didn’t you just let her call Mickey?” asked Nick.

Pete sighed again.  “Jo is not my biggest fan, if you know what I mean.  I really didn’t know how she’d react to being with me if she thought Mickey had dumped me.  I was afraid she’d go crazy, and I wouldn’t know how to handle her.”

“She says she’s not anorexic,” stated Nick, bluntly.

“I know she does,” retorted Pete, equally bluntly.  Then he shrugged.  “Nick, honestly, you’re welcome to her.  But I just can’t let you go without warning you…be careful…”

Nick wasn’t sure how to react.  “Um…what?” he said, finally.

“Jo’s a little…unpredictable,” said Pete after a moment’s search for the right word.  “And you’re… famous.  I think you should…”  Pete stopped talking.  Then he turned and looked at Nick.  “Aw hell, I don’t know what I’m trying to say.  Just…just…be careful.  That’s all.”

They’d reached the Sunset Voyager.  Nick wasn’t sure what to say, so he said nothing.  Pete stepped down onto the boat and said, “See ya.”  Then he went below.

Nick walked slowly back along the dock to the Lenore.  Back to Jo.  Back to…
Chapter 27 by old_archive
Pete nodded goodbye to Nick and descended the few stairs to the Sunset Voyager living room.

You fucking asshole!  You fucking little creep! 

The grin disappeared from Pete’s face, replaced by a look of fury.  Pete paced up and down the small area.  The fury inside him was white hot and made him almost blind with rage.

You interfering son of a bitch. 

Peter Crofton told himself to calm down.   He took several deep breaths, breathing in through his nose and out through his mouth.  Breathe in…breathe out…breathe in…breathe out…

It didn’t help enough, so he did it a few more times.  In…out…in…out…

There, said Pete to himself, there, the old heartbeat’s back to normal.  Now, think, goddammit, think…

Pete opened the fridge and reached for a beer.  He thought twice about that and pulled out a bottle of water instead.  He climbed up to the bridge and threw himself into the captain’s chair, prepared to sit there all night watching the Lenore.   The stupid, fucking Lenore.  The longer, faster, richer, fucking Lenore

Breathe in…breathe out…

Pete…Peter Crofton…Peter James Crofton…aka Paul James Churchill, Phillip James Clawson and Patrick James Collins…the only thing that stayed the same were the initials and the middle name…James…that was his real middle name and Pete wasn’t willing to give it up.  As for the initials, it made it so much easier for verisimilitude with things such as monogrammed shirts and attaché cases.  Pete knew he was running a risk, should he ever have his name shoved through a computer database, but he considered that unlikely, given his extreme intelligence and careful planning.

And now it was all going to hell in a handbasket thanks to a Backstreet Boy.  A stupid, fucking Backstreet Boy.

A Backstreet Boy who in the beginning had seemed liked Pete’s greatest asset.  Like the perfect fucking cherry on top of the fucking sundae.

Pete couldn’t believe his luck when he’d run into Nick in Calabash.  It was like a miracle.

Pete had thought he was done for.  Life with Mickey had been unraveling at an alarming rate; she’d gotten very suspicious about his past, started asking lots of questions.  Then, that night, before they were supposed to leave, she’d faced him up with it…told him she was dumping him.

Pete had stood there dumbfounded while Mickey had brought up all this crap from his past… Celia… Margie …his job…his life…his lies…

Pete had done what he did best.  He’d talked.  He’d explained.  He’d charmed.  He’d been doing it since shortly after he’d learned to talk. 

But Mickey wasn’t buying it.  She started dredging up every little thing he’d ever said.  What about this? What about that?

Pete had used every trick in his very extensive arsenal to deflect the truth. He’d tried confused:  What? What are you saying?  I don’t understand.

He’d tried defensive:  I can’t believe you're saying this.  What’s the matter with you?

Hurt :  I love you, Mickey.  I thought you loved me too.

Deflective:  Ahhh, Jo...  Come on, Mickey, you know she’s always been jealous of us.

Jo. 

Pete’s eyes narrowed in anger.

That bitch.

Pete looked over at the Lenore.  He could see that the lights were on in the cabin.  Nick and Jo were having dinner in, apparently.  They probably didn’t want to stray too far from the boat.  They probably didn’t want to run into him.

Pete went below and got himself a beer.  One beer wouldn’t fog his mind too much, he decided.  And there wasn’t much he could do tonight, except watch them and make sure they didn’t get away.  Because he couldn’t let them do that now.

Shit!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jo had not been wrong when she called Pete a ‘natural born liar’.  Pete could not remember the first lie he ever told, but it had been early on in his life.  Even before he knew what the word ‘charm’ meant, Pete was using it on everyone who crossed his path…men and women alike. 

Pete had learned the ways of duplicity from his mother.  Pete never knew his father.  He had, however, known an unending string of ‘uncles’, who were happy to fish in their pockets for some change to make a little kid disappear to the arcade for the afternoon while they ‘discussed business’ with his momma.

Pete remembered the day his mother had explained the virtues of lying.  Pete had asked her why she’d told the man in the shoe store that she was only 25.  He knew she was 26 ½.  His mother told him that it made her seem more attractive if she were only 25.  Pete said that he didn’t see the difference.  His mother said she had only been telling the clerk what he wanted to hear.  The clerk had told her that he was 26.  Therefore, she had to be younger.  Pete didn’t understand it all at the time.  He did remember the shoe salesman coming to dinner that evening, though.

Pete had watched his mother carefully after that, noting the lies she told and the effect it had on people.  Then he decided to try it himself.  He discovered that he was a natural at it.

Pete lied his way through elementary school.  He honed his craft and became an expert.  Homework not done?  Pete didn’t flash Bambi eyes and a poor excuse like the other kids.  He never said he was sick or busy or taking some kind of fucking music lessons that his mother would never have been able to afford.  He simply gazed into the teacher’s eyes and said sadly, “I tried, but…”, letting the teacher, who’d met his mother, do all the imagining for him.

Less is more.  That was one of the first lessons that Pete had learned.  But he didn’t seem to be able to apply it here.  He’d gotten in deeper and deeper with this Carter asshole, giving out way too much info.  Why couldn’t the bastard have just disappeared after the first night like he was supposed to?

Man, when he’d called out Pete’s name in Charleston…well, Pete just couldn’t believe it.  The guy was supposed to be taking his time, and he’d powered through just like Pete had.  And he’d managed to find the right marina, too!  Pete could cheerfully have throttled the guy.  He’d wanted to grab him by the throat and scream in his face.

But he didn’t.

Of course, he didn’t.  Hiding his anger was one of the things that Pete did best.  He had learned that early on.  He’d been even better than his mother at this deception.  Showing anger was a weakness.  No matter how much the fury burned within, no matter how much you wanted to reach out and hurt someone, no matter what…you smiled, you shrugged, you grinned.  It gave you an enormous advantage over your adversaries.  It confused and disarmed them.  It made them feel guilty.  It put them on the defensive.

So when that fucking asshole popstar had admitted that he had Jo, Pete had summoned all his strength, and he’d grinned at the little creep.  Yes, grinned at him.  Man, the look on the guy’s face.  Shit!  Pete wished he had a picture of that.  Nick hadn’t known where to go from there; he’d been the proverbial deer in the headlights.  And Pete had used it to his advantage, letting the polite, proper side of Nick stare at Pete’s ingenuous grin and doubt everything Jo had told him.

Still, obviously they’d had the discussion about the eating disorder.  That was pretty obvious from Jo’s curt remarks.  Nevertheless, Pete thought he’d handled that pretty well.  Never deny.  Well, obviously, that was rule number one.  Once you’d told a lie, you never went back on it.  You always moved forward.  So a shrug and a benign comment, “I know that’s what she says.”

Pete tipped up the beer and drained it.  He raised a hand to his brow and wiped the sweat away.  That made him angry all over again.  Why was he sitting here sweating?  It was all supposed to be over and done with.

Pete shook his head to clear it.  No, can’t get angry, have to focus, have to plan.  Pete knew that he was smarter than Nick Carter.  He was smarter than Jordana Miles, and he was smarter than any stupid police officer or whatever that they might get involved in this.  He’d outsmarted the police before, and he could do it again.

He just had to think. 

He glanced over at the Lenore.  He couldn’t see any movement or shadows in the living area.  Maybe they had retired to the bedroom.  Fine!  Let them!  Let them fuck their brains out!  Pete didn’t need that.  He just needed to think.
Chapter 28 by old_archive
Pete pressed his fingers to his forehead.  Think!

This plan had been working so well…just like the others. 

Pete had a history…a pretty damn fine history, he thought…of never having to work for a living.  That’s what women were for.  He’d turned his mother’s philosophy on end, reversing the genders.  Pete had charmed his way through high school, working his way through an upwardly mobile series of girlfriends.  By the time he was finished, he was engaged to the wealthiest girl in Fort Pierce, Florida.

Her parents were, of course, appalled by Pete’s background and lack of social stature.  Her father  made several approaches and oblique offers to remove Pete from his daughter’s life.  Pete  smiled and shrugged and refused to be insulted.  In fact, he pretended that he didn’t understand what her father was getting at. 

The offer went up and up, and finally, Pete capitulated.  He took the money and ran.  And he questioned himself for days about that decision.  But he finally reassured himself…Fort Pierce was a mere puddle.   He was after a much bigger pond.

He found it.  He worked his way through West Palm Beach and other wealthy port cities.  He used the money from the Fort Pierce daddy to build himself a new identity and a new life.  Then he researched the wealthier families and went to the yacht club where he introduced himself as a distant cousin of a couple that was touring Europe.

The yacht club was the perfect location for him.  He felt comfortable there, a comfort he wouldn’t have felt in a ritzy hotel or a corporate club.  Pete had loved boats his whole life and had hung around the docks when he was a kid, helping out anyone who needed it just for the chance to be around the boats of the rich.

And on the boats of the rich were bored wives and bored daughters.  Pete stayed away from mere girlfriends.  They were disposable.  There was no money to be found there.  Pete was charming with all the women…charming and unavailable to them.  He made himself available to the men, though, as a helper on the big yachts.  Although he never let on, Pete knew way more about boats than any of these pompous prigs.  Generally, they were happy to have him around.  When his hands were on the wheel, they weren’t on the women.  Pete knew that many of the men thought he was gay, and that was fine with him.  The women knew better.

His money was running short, so he decided to make his move.  He settled on a middle-aged married woman, a lady desperate for affection.  Her husband was a corporate big shot and he was never home.  This woman had maintained the incredible status of ‘first wife’ for over twenty years.  Pete knew it was because she had even more money than her husband.  Monty Prudhomme didn’t want a trophy wife.  He wanted a trophy bank account.

Pete seduced Celia Prudhomme slowly but surely.  He played hard-to-get and let her chase him ‘until he caught her’.  And after he had her firmly ensnared in his web, he started to get money from her.

Pete didn’t care if he was rich.  He just didn’t want to work for a living.  And he wanted to live like he was rich.  He wanted a nice apartment, stylish clothes…and a boat.  Celia Prudhomme provided the first two, and her husband provided the third.

It lasted for nearly a year.  Pete became complacent almost to the point of boredom.  Celia was way more interested in sex with Pete than he was with her.  It was almost becoming a chore to service her.

Then one day, she informed him that she had heard from the Thorntons, Pete’s supposed globe-trotting cousins.  Celia told Pete angrily that she knew he was a fraud and that he had been taking money from her under false pretenses.

Pete knew the jig was most definitely up.  He retaliated by telling Celia that he considered the money she’d given him to be ‘for services rendered’.

Celia retorted that she guessed that made Pete a whore.

Pete responded that he guessed that made Celia a desperate adulteress.

Celia told him that he was finished in this town and he wasn’t getting another cent out of her.

Pete informed her that that wasn’t quite true.

He negotiated terms with her and left town with quite a bit more money than he’d arrived with.  He wondered about hitting up Monty for some but decided not to get greedy.

And he also decided that, as delicious as it had been to tell Celia off, it was a show of weakness on his part.  And he promised himself, he would never show that weakness again.

A dalliance with an heiress on the Gulf coast of Florida provided Pete with comfortable living arrangements for another eighteen months and an ever increasing bank balance.  After the end of that affair, Pete took the money and headed for California.  He figured he’d best put Florida behind him for awhile.  Pete conned his way into a position with an investment bank and managed to increase his portfolio, while learning a lot about the banking and investment world.

He was still loath to spend his own money and always had a ‘sugar momma’ to provide him with the necessities of life.  Pete spent five years in Los Angeles watching his nest egg grow.  He wanted enough money so that he could buy a boat of his own.  Then he could sail away to wherever he wanted, whenever he wanted.

Pete started looking around and ‘window shopping’ for boats.  His hunger to own one made him reckless, and he sunk a large sum of money into a risky venture.  The market went soft, and he lost the money.

Pete’s fury at this thwarting of his desires was a sight to behold.  The only one who ever beheld it, though, was his mirror. 

Pete took stock of his life and decided that he needed a more permanent financial arrangement.  And he had really begun to hate California.  So he transferred his remaining assets to a bank in the Bahamas and moved back to Florida.

Where he found Margie Hannaford.

The Hannafords were old money, and it was tied up in real estate…and there was a lot of it. 

Pete decided that he would marry Margie Hannaford.  He didn’t think there’d be any problem.  Margie wasn’t much to look at, and there didn’t seem to be a lot of competition.  Pete moved slowly and carefully, making sure the introduction came from a respected third party.  He took six months to work his way into her life and make her fall in love with him. 

Pete was all set to pop the question when the stupid bitch got leukemia.  Pete was over the top pissed about that.  He’d invested a lot in Margie.  He’d been paying his own living expenses for six months, and he’d had to put on a show of wealth.  The bank balance in the Bahamas was dipping lower and lower.  Yes, Pete had a lot of money invested in Margie Hannaford and he wanted it all back…and more!

Pete considered carefully how to proceed.  He couldn’t just jump in there and say, ‘Marry me,’ now that he knew she was dying.  No, that wouldn’t make her father suspicious at all!  And Pete was finding it difficult to get the information on just when the dire event would take place.

Pete tried to keep the grin off his face when he heard that Margie would receive treatment but that the doctors weren’t hopeful that she’d have more than two or three years.  That was perfect timing for Pete.  He could marry Margie, nurse her through her final days and then play the grieving widower with her inheritance.  It would give him legitimacy and a healthy wad of cash.

Pete played it cool and dropped little hints.  When he was sure Margie would say yes, he asked her to marry him.  Pete could tell that George Hannaford was less than thrilled with his daughter’s news, but Margie’s mother was ecstatic.  Her baby wouldn’t have to die alone.

The treatments made Margie very ill…and very unattractive.  She became thin and haggard, and she smelled funny.  Pete could barely stand to be in the same room with her.  But he persevered, and they made plans for a quiet wedding.

Then daddy arrived with the pre-nup!  Pete smiled and charmed his way through the conversation and said, of course, he understood.  He’d have been shocked if George hadn’t wanted one.  Thank you.  I’ll just have my lawyers look over this.

After George left, Pete hit the wall so hard that he cracked the plaster and bruised his knuckles.

The details of the pre-nuptial agreement were even worse than Pete had imagined.  If Margie lasted less than a year, Pete got nothing.  If she made it up to three years, Pete got a measly two hundred thousand dollars.  That was enough to buy a boat, but it wasn’t enough to make it worthwhile to nurse a dying woman and use up three years of his life. 

So Pete went to Margie with the pre-nup.  He showed it to her and explained that, while he understood her father’s concern for her, Pete didn’t feel that he could sign it.  He felt that it was a declaration that Pete was a gigolo and also that Margie was going to die.  Pete managed to squeeze out a couple of tears and have his voice break on the word ‘die’.

He said that he was sorry and that he loved her, but that he couldn’t bring himself to overlook his values.

Margie Hannaford did not want to die alone.  She did not want to die single.  She wanted to marry Peter Crofton (Pete had worked his way up to his present name) and make the most of the time she had left.  So she made a deal of her own.  She told Pete that, if he would sign the pre-nup, she would pay him half a million dollars in advance.  That would show her faith in him.  Then they would get married.  Then she would get better, and they would live happily ever after.

Pete protested that she didn’t have to give him any money; it was the principle of the thing.  He protested right up until he thought he’d convinced her that he didn’t want the money, and then he accepted the offer.  The money was transferred to his account in the Bahamas, and the pre-nup was signed.  The wedding date was set.

And then Margie found out about Celia Prudhomme. 

They were at a fundraiser at the Yacht Club.  Pete was standing at the bar waiting for drinks when a voice behind him said, “Well, as I live and breathe, if it isn’t Paul Churchill.”

Pete turned to find himself staring into Celia’s eyes.  Pete glanced quickly around the room to see where Margie was.  He saw her out on the deck with her parents.  He turned back to Celia.

“I’m sorry, you must be mistaken.  That’s not my name.”

“Oh, I have no doubt of that,” said Celia, with a laugh.  “What name are you going by now?”

Pete knew he couldn’t tell her.  The same initials would be a dead giveaway.  “I’m sorry, Ma’am,” he said, “but I’m afraid I don’t know you.”

Out of the corner of his eye, he could see Margie looking through the window, wondering what was taking so long with the drinks.

“Is that your husband over there, Ma’am?” asked Pete, calling Celia’s bluff.  He stared her straight in the eye.

Celia stared back.  Then she started to laugh.  “Yes, I guess you’re right.  It’s better if we don’t know each other.”

Celia turned and walked away.  Pete grabbed the drinks and took them out on the deck.  Then he excused himself, saying he had a migraine, and left the club before Monty Prudhomme saw him and greeted him by a different name.

Pete figured he’d talked his way out of the situation, but he didn’t reckon on the fury of a Celia scorned.  It took Celia five minutes to find out what name he was using and whom he was using it on.

A day later, Pete arrived at Margie’s apartment to a very cold reception.  Margie informed him that some woman named Celia had called on her and said some very interesting things about Pete.  Pete listened in silence as Margie described his affair with Celia in almost exact detail.

“Do you have anything to say?” asked Margie, when she finished her sordid tale.

Did he have anything to say?  Of course, he did.  This was what he was best at.  Pete opened his mouth and started talking.   He said he was sorry that Margie had had to hear about Celia from someone other than him, but she should remember that he had often tried to tell her about his past, and she had always said it didn’t interest her.

Margie nodded and muttered, “That’s true.”  Score one point for Pete.

Barely stopping to draw a breath, Pete continued.  Yes, he had had an affair with Celia Prudhomme.  He had been young and impressionable, just out of high school.  He’d been working at the yacht club, and she’d…well, he guessed the best word was ‘seduce’…yes, she’d seduced him.

Pete painted a picture of a young man, intimidated by an older woman, not sure how to say no to her, not sure if he wanted to.  At this point, he sighed and looked directly at Margie.  “I hadn’t had a lot of experience.  I…” 

Margie reached out and patted his hand.  Score one more point for Pete.

Pete glossed over the more intimate details of the relationship.  Apparently, Margie had heard enough of those.  Instead, he went to the breakup.

“I finally had to end it.  She was making so many demands.  I was afraid her husband would find out.  She didn’t take it well.”  That certainly was the truth, thought Pete.  “She made a bunch of threats and accusations, but I figured she was just…you know…hurt.” 

Pete looked down and sighed.  Then he put his chin up and said defiantly, “But I never took money from her.  Not one cent.  I paid my own way.”

Margie stared at him for a long moment, mulling over her options.  “Well, if it’s not about money…”

She didn’t get any further.  Pete cut her off.

“You know what?  I’ll prove it to you.  To you and your father and all you society people who seem to think that everyone and everything is about money.”  Pete let his voice crack a little at the end of the sentence, and then he continued.  “I’ll give back the money you gave me.  Every cent.  And then you decide…whether you truly love me or whether you were just using me for… I don’t know what…I thought it was love…”

Pete faltered and looked confused.

Margie burst into tears and apologized for doubting him.

Game, set and match.

Then Margie surprised him.  She agreed to let him give the money back.  He didn’t need it, she said.  He was going to get all of hers eventually.  So yes, Dear, give the money back.

Over my dead body, thought Pete.  And then decided, that no, it would be over her dead body.
Chapter 29 by old_archive
Nick walked slowly back along the dock to the Lenore.  What the fuck was going on?  Why couldn’t he make up his mind who was the bad guy?  Was there even one?  Was it just Jo’s imagination?  Because Nick had not seen one shred of evidence that Pete had done anything wrong.  And the guy just didn’t seem guilty of anything beyond a few little lies. 

Nick paused when he got to the Lenore.  He stood for a moment on the dock.  What would Jo be like now?  Calm?  Hysterical?  Nick wondered if he should just keep walking right off the end of the dock and swim to Florida.  A sudden mental glimpse of an alligator made him decide against that particular piece of whimsy.

Nick sighed and stepped onto the boat.

Below deck, Jo tilted her head up as she felt Nick come back aboard.  She took a deep breath.  Her fate was in Nick’s hands for the moment, and Jo did not have the first idea what to expect when Nick came down the stairs.

When Nick had sent her below and walked off with Pete, Jo’s first reaction was relief.  She thought Nick was trying to keep her safe, to move Pete off.  But then she started to wonder if maybe Nick was just moving Pete out of earshot, wanting to tell the other man something that he didn’t want Jo to hear.

Jo tried to fight that feeling by keeping herself busy.  She looked through the cupboards and the small freezer compartment of the fridge.  It wouldn’t be a culinary masterpiece, but she thought she could throw together a casserole from the ingredients she found.  She put some water in a pot and threw a frozen chicken breast into the microwave to defrost.

Jo looked at her watch.  Whatever they were talking about, it seemed to be taking a while.  Jo wondered what lies Pete was telling now and whether Nick would believe them.  She hoped Nick would get back soon.  What if Bernie called?  Nick’s cell phone was on the table in the dining nook.  What if it rang?  Should she answer it?  Would Bernie talk to her or insist on speaking with Nick?

Jo shook her head to clear it.  C’mon, get it together, she told herself.  She opened a can of mushroom soup and dumped it into a bowl.  She opened a drawer to get out a large spoon and her eye was caught by the picture in the living room.  It was kind of ugly, she thought.  It didn’t seem to have any artistic value except to blend in with the navy blue and white theme that went throughout the boat.  A couple of times today, during her enforced sojourn below decks, Jo had been tempted to take it off the wall.  But she considered that Nick thought she was crazy enough!

Jo’s mind wandered to other things that had taken place earlier that afternoon.  She could feel herself starting to blush at the memory of Nick’s hands on her.  She opened the oven door and peered inside.  This was a gas oven.  She wondered if you had to light something to turn it on.  She squinted and looked at the back, searching for the pale blue flame of a pilot light.  She heard Nick step onto the boat, and she looked up.

Nick descended the stairs to find Jo with her head in the oven.  He stopped and stared at her.  Her face was red, and she had a look in her eyes…

“Have you turned this oven on yet?” asked Jo, straightening up.

Nick focused on the stove.  “Uh…no…I…I’m not much into cooking.  It’s a gas stove, though, I’m pretty sure about that.”

“Probably propane,” said Jo.  “Do you have manuals for all this stuff?”

“Uh, yeah, somewhere,” said Nick, moving past her.  “What’s all this?”

“I was going to make a casserole.  Chicken.  Is that okay?”

“Sure,” said Nick.  Chicken casserole was the most normal sounding thing he’d heard all day.  That was reality.  Yeah.  Chicken casserole.  You didn’t see any of that in thriller movies with homicides and suicides all over the place.

Jo picked a knife out of a drawer and whacked the end off a bunch of celery.  Nick jumped.

“Um…I’ll just get those manuals,” he said and moved to an overhead cupboard in the living room.  He pulled down a plastic zip-lock bag that held a bunch of pamphlets.  He went through them until he found the one with a picture of the stove on it.  It was in Spanish.  Nick turned the booklet over and was relieved to find the English half. 

Nick ran his finger down the Table of Contents.  Welcome.  Nick didn’t really think he needed to be welcomed to a stove.  Next was Safety Instructions.  Nick figured that would read, Don’t blow up the boat.  He moved through the list of contents, past instructions on how to take off the door, how to clean and care for the stove, limited warranty information, special warranty information for outside the U.S., and finally, how to operate the damn thing.

“Okay, I got it,” he said, turning back to Jo, who had a neatly chopped pile of celery in her hand.  She sprinkled it over the mushroom soup and the chicken in the bowl.  “There should be some safety matches in the drawer beside the stove.

Jo opened the drawer and held up the box.  “Yes.”

She turned on the front burner and struck a match.  She held it by the burner and the hissing sound was replaced by a soft woomp and a blue flame.  Jo blew out the match and set it in the sink.  Then she put the pot of water on the burner. 

“Okay,” she said.  "I’ll just boil some pasta and we’ll mix it all together.  Do you have any cheese?”

Together, they assembled the casserole and figured out the oven.  They both talked too much about nothing because they didn’t really know how to talk about the things they needed to. 

“I’ll set the table,” said Jo, after they’d put the casserole in the oven and set the timer on the microwave. 

Jo picked up Nick’s cell phone to move it, and it rang in her hand.  She uttered a small shriek and dropped the phone.  Nick picked it up and flipped it open.

“It’s Bernie,” he said, looking at the number displayed on the screen. 

Jo backed up against the wall and crossed her arms protectively.

“Hey, Bernie,” said Nick, and then for thirty long seconds, he said nothing.

Jo could feel her heart beating in her throat.  She tried to read Nick’s face, but his expression gave nothing away.

Finally, he said, “Okay then.  I guess we need to do something…maybe file a missing persons report.” 

Nick reached out his hand to Jo.  She moved slowly forward and into the circle of his arm.  He held her tight against his chest, feeling her body trembling.

“And…um…while you’re at it,” said Nick, coming to a decision he hoped he didn’t regret later.  “Could you please check out a man named Peter Crofton?  He’s from Florida, but he’s been living in Fayetteville.  Um…just a sec…”

Nick looked down at Jo’s pale face.  “Do you know his address or anything?”

Jo told Nick Pete’s address and cell phone number,and Nick repeated them to Bernie.  “But he’s not missing, we know where he is,” said Nick, “so don’t call the number.  Just check and see what you can find out about him.”

Nick listened a little more and then said, “Okay, then.  Yeah, I’ll talk to you tomorrow.  Bye, Bernie.”

Nick flipped the phone shut.  He didn’t move but just held Jo in his arm.

She moved away first.  “Tell me,” she said, in a whisper.

“Sit down,” said Nick, moving her to the sofa.  He sat down beside her and picked up her hand.

Jo squeezed his hand and prayed. 

“Now there’s nothing definite,” began Nick.  “Bernie had a guy check, and as far as anyone in Fayetteville knows, she’s on vacation on a boat.  The guy checked her apartment.  The super let him in, and she’s not there.  The apartment was neat, and her personal effects were missing…like her makeup and stuff.  Her car’s not in the garage, but that doesn’t prove anything.”

Nick paused and looked carefully at Jo.  She seemed to be taking in the words, but she wasn’t reacting.  Nick continued his report, “So you heard me tell Bernie to file a missing persons report. He’ll do that and get back to me tomorrow as soon as he has any information.”

“And you asked him to check out Pete,” said Jo, in a dull voice.  “Does that mean you believe me now?”

Nick took a deep breath.  “I don’t know what I believe, to tell you the truth, Jo.  But I know that Mickey’s not here, and if she’s not back home, then…well, she must be somewhere.  Do you think it’s maybe possible that she…?”

Jo’s head came up.  “That she what?”

“Well, you said she was going to dump Pete after you got back from the trip.  Right?  Do you think maybe she dumped him…like…before you left?” 

“What are you saying, Nick?  That Mickey decided not to come on the trip after all?  That she went somewhere else?”

“Yeah, like maybe she said she’d come and planned on it but then changed her mind…you know, after she called…”  Nick’s voice trailed off.  The look on Jo’s face truly scared him.

“I can’t believe this.  He got to you again.  He told you some kind of story, didn’t he?”  Jo’s voice got louder and more hysterical with each sentence.  “What did he say, that Mickey dumped him over the phone?  That he knew all along she wasn’t coming?  That he didn’t tell me because…because…because I might eat a side of beef and then throw it up over the railing.”

“Calm down, Jo,” said Nick and instantly regretted it.  He had said that sentence to many women in his life and not once had it ever had the effect it was supposed to.

“Calm down?  Give me one good reason why I should.  Mickey’s missing.  You know that for a fact now.  She’s missing.  And you’re still believing his bullshit story.”  Jo leapt to her feet and started pacing the floor.  “Omigod, how can I make you believe me?”

Then she stopped suddenly and turned to him.  She tented her fingers at her lips and tapped them several times as she looked at him.  Then, she nodded.

“Okay, I can do this.  I can prove it.  I can prove that Mickey didn’t do what you said…that she didn’t tell Pete that she wasn’t coming after we left Calabash.”  Jo started to grin.  She pointed at Nick.  “Yeah, I can prove it.  With you.  You’re my proof.” 

“What?”  Nick wasn’t following this at all.

“I know that Mickey would never have left me here with him, but I can’t make you believe that.  Because you didn’t know her like I do.  But I think you will understand this.”  Jo paused and took a breath.  She hoped this didn’t sound too crazy.  “Mickey has been in love with you for years.  Even still, now when we’re all grown up and supposed to be over boy bands…”

Nick’s eyes narrowed.  Jo waved off his unspoken objection.

“You know what I mean.  I know you’re not a boy band…you’re a vocal group…you know what I mean.  Mickey and I are almost as old as you are.  We’re supposed to be beyond knowing everything about our favorite group and…you know, tracking its every move and…and…and downloading all the music clips we can find and talking about the new album and looking forward to the tour…Shit!  Every email Mickey ever sent me had a picture of you attached and some kind of news about you or the group.”

Jo laughed.  “I can’t tell you how hysterical she was when you took up with…oh, what did Mickey call her?…oh yeah, the Hotel Ho!”

Nick blushed and pursed his lips.  He guessed he’d be hearing about that particular slice of his life until he was dead.

Jo went on.  “And lately, the clips of the new album.  She loved it so much.  She practically wore out her computer listening to Color My World.”

“That’s not on the album,” said Nick, absently.

“What do you mean it’s not on the album?” replied Jo.  “That’s a great song.”

They stared at each other for a few moments.

“Anyway,” said Jo, dragging herself back to the topic at hand.  “Here’s the important part.  Mickey loved you.  If she really talked to Pete on the phone, like he said, and she knew that you were sitting right there, she would not have passed on an opportunity to meet you.  She just would not have done it.  She was a fan, a big fan…Can you understand that?”  Jo was crying by the time she finished the story.

Nick nodded.  He guessed he could understand.  He knew the effect they had on some fans.  He didn’t understand why, but he knew that it was true.  At every fan conference, at every meet-and-greet, even during random encounters on the streets…fans didn’t just say, “We love the music.”  They said things like, “You changed my life”, “You helped me through some tough times” and even “You saved my life”.  It was humbling and also a little scary.

“If I can’t make you believe that she wouldn’t have left me,” whispered Jo, “can I at least make you believe that she wouldn’t have left you?”

The beeping of the microwave timer saved Nick from having to answer.
Chapter 30 by old_archive
Peter Crofton murdered Margie Hannaford by giving her a massive overdose of sleeping pills in some hot chocolate.  Then he tucked her into her bed, told her that he loved her and went sailing for the weekend.  When he arrived back on the dock Sunday at noon, he was greeted by George Hannaford and a man that Pete did not recognize.

“Hey, George!”  Pete waved at him from the boat and then jumped lightly down on the dock.  He walked three steps closer and then stopped.  “What’s up?”

George Hannaford pressed his lips together.  He didn’t know how to say it.  “It’s Margie,” he said simply.

Pete nodded and looked past George.  “Where is she?”

“She’s supposed to be here?” asked the other man.

Pete looked him over.  He figured he was a cop or something.  That didn’t surprise Pete.

“Yeah,” he continued, “she was going to bring a cab down, and we were going to have lunch and go look at…”  Pete paused, thinking, then went on, “…flowers, I think.  Or maybe invitations.”

Pete took a deep breath.  Slow it down, he told himself.  Slow it down.  He looked around him again, as if expecting Margie to show up.

George Hannaford also took a deep breath.  “She’s not here.  She won’t be here.  She’s…”

Pete managed to look confused.  “She’s what?”

“She’s had a…there’s been a…she’s…”

“Sick?” suggested Pete, letting his voice crack and his eyes blink. 

“No,” said the other man, “it’s worse than that.  She’s…”

Pete shook his head wildly, not allowing the horrible thought into his head.  But the truth was much worse than he could ever have imagined.

“…in a coma,” said the other man.

“A coma?”  Pete hoped his outburst of disbelief sounded like concern for Margie rather than for himself.  “That’s not possible,” he said.  “She was doing so well.”  He looked at George with pleading eyes that reflected a hint of tears.

“It’s not the…disease,” said George, quietly.

Pete realized he was on very thin ice.  He figured the other man was either a cop or a private detective.  Both he and George were watching Pete’s reactions very carefully.  Shit!  Why wasn’t Margie dead?!  Pete had given her enough barbiturates to kill a horse!

“I don’t understand,” said Pete, finally. 

Let them talk, he decided.  Safer that way.

The other man explained.  He told Pete that Margie had not arrived for lunch with her mother on Saturday and had not answered her phone.  Her parents had gone to her apartment and found her in bed unconscious.  They had called an ambulance and had her rushed to the hospital where her stomach had been pumped.

“What for?” asked Pete, interrupting the cop. 

Oh yeah, he was definitely a cop.  He spoke in short, clipped phrases and used police jargon.  Pete figured he’d be hearing the word ‘perp’ shortly.  He hoped it wasn’t in the same sentence as his name.

“She took an overdose of sleeping pills,” said the cop.

“No, she didn’t,” retorted Pete, emphatically.  Then he turned to George.  “Margie knew what her medications were.  She wouldn’t make a mistake like that.”  His eyes begged his future father-in-law to tell him that she would be okay.

The other man rode over Pete’s words.  “We don’t think it was accidental.”

“Who are you?” blurted Pete.  His demeanor suggested that this man should go away and not be here telling Pete such horrific news.

Out came the badge.  The man was Detective Sergeant Randy Atkins of the Cape Coral Police Force.

Pete looked at George.  Carefully.  Trying to gauge his mood.  Was he suspicious of Pete or merely trying to break bad news gently?  Pete figured he was suspicious. 

“What are you saying?” he demanded.

Detective Atkins flipped his badge shut.  “Miss Hannaford ingested a large amount of barbiturates…probably enough to kill her.”

Then why isn’t she dead? wondered Pete.

“It's difficult to see how she could do so accidentally.  So either she did so herself deliberately…”

Pete cut him off again.  “She’d never do that,” he insisted curtly.  “She was getting better.  We were getting married.”

“Exactly,” said Detective Atkins.  “So if she didn’t do it herself, then someone helped her along.”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” said Pete, “Margie didn’t have any enemies.”  He dismissed the cop with a wave of his hand.  He turned to George Hannaford.  “Where is she?”

“Cape Coral General,” replied George.  “We’re waiting for her to stabilize, and then we’ll move her…”

He got no further.  Pete pushed past him.  “I’m going to see her.”

“Just a minute, young man,” said Detective Atkins.  “I’ve got some questions.”

“Fuck you,” said Pete, “I’m going to Margie.”

Pete didn’t wait for the cop’s reaction.  He moved past him and strode up the dock.  Think, he told himself, think!  And shut the fuck up!  Say nothing!

Pete reached the parking lot and fumbled in his pants for his car keys.  Then he looked around him, searching for his car.  He couldn’t see it at first, and he swiveled his head back and forth.  His shoulders started to shake, and tears leaked from the corners of his eyes.  He wanted to hit something…hard…  A sob escaped him, and he pressed his lips tight together. 

C’mon, he told himself, keep it together.  Don’t panic!

Pete felt an arm around his shoulder. 

”Come with me, Son,” said George, kindly.  “I’ll take you to her.  Robert’s got the car right here.”

Pete allowed himself to sag against the older man for a second.  Then he straightened up but still kept the confused look on his face.  “But my car…I…”

“Randy will drive your car, if you’d like.  He can follow us to the hospital.  Maybe you shouldn’t be behind the wheel right now.”

Pete considered that for a moment.  Then he nodded and muttered, “Yeah, maybe you’re right.”  He handed his suitcase and the keys to the cop and said, “It’s a silver BMW.  The licence number is on the keychain.”  He climbed into the back of the car with George, nodding at the chauffeur in recognition. 

Pete knew that the cop would take the opportunity to search the Beemer carefully.  After all, Pete had given him permission to be in it.  Pete didn’t care.  He knew there was nothing in there that was incriminating and plenty of stuff that spoke of his great and profound love for Margie Hannaford.

Pete kept silent all the way to the hospital.  So did George Hannaford.  Pete tried to tell himself to stay calm and think things through, but it wasn’t possible.  All he could hear was a loud buzzing sound surrounding his head.  Pete could easily identify it as panic.  He forced himself to breathe evenly and tried to push the buzzing sound away.

Pete did all the right things at the hospital, protesting loudly that this couldn’t have happened, demanding to get ‘straight answers’ from the doctors, praying aloud for Margie's recovery.  Pete went down the list of the steps of grief and checked them off one by one:  denial…negotiation… anger…  

Meanwhile, Pete got his story straight in his head, and he never wavered from it.  He was steadfast in his declaration that Margie would never have done this to herself deliberately and that he loved her and was going to wait for her to return to him. 

In fact, Pete’s greatest fear was that Margie would return and tell everyone what she knew… which was that the last thing she had ingested was a mug of hot chocolate handed to her by her loving fiancé.

In order to prevent that happening and also to solidify his position as ‘grieving but bewildered and most definitely innocent fiancé’, Pete spent every waking moment sitting by Margie’s bedside.  He knew that Margie’s parents were suspicious, and they had enough pull in the community to make sure that their suspicions were passed on to the police.  But the police came up against the brick wall of Pete sitting by the bed, holding Margie’s hand and looking confused and beleaguered.

Pete had made sure that the half million dollars that Margie had given him had come from several different sources within Margie’s portfolio, all sent to different bank accounts in the Bahamas.  He knew that there was no way they could trace the money to him.

He also knew that now there was no way he could spend it.  George Hannaford had been all over Margie’s accounts like a duck on a June bug, and he knew there was approximately half a million dollars unaccounted for.  And he figured he didn’t have to look much further than the man sitting at her bedside to find that money.

Pete knew George was watching.  George knew that Pete knew he was watching.  It was a waiting game…a high stakes game of chicken to see which one would blink first.

George was way out of his league on this one.  No one had ever made Pete blink. 

Pete settled himself at Margie’s bedside and didn’t budge.  He dipped into his legitimate Bahamas account and paid for his living expenses.  He watched his account balance dwindle, and he watched the police interest dwindle along with it.

In the beginning, police interest had been high.  George and Margaret Hannaford had protested loud and long that their darling daughter would never try to kill herself.  And joining in the protest was the prime suspect, the erstwhile fiancé…the one that the Hannafords were pointing their fingers at, albeit behind his back. 

The police searched Pete’s finances, Margie’s background and finances, the parents’ background and finances…and they came up empty.  Especially against Pete.

Yeah, maybe the guy was marrying her for her money, but he never got that far.  Having her turn up dead or in a coma wasn’t working for him.  He didn’t have any motive for that.  And if that’s all it was, looking to get rich quick, if there wasn’t any real love there, why didn’t he just stand up and say, ‘sorry about your daughter, folks’ and move on? 

And as much as the father carped about the missing money, there was nothing that pointed to the fiancé, who seemed determined to bring Margie out of the coma by sheer force of will and prayer.

Pete was determined all right; he was determined that this would blow over, and he would be free and clear and able to afford the boat of his dreams.

It took him over a year to get to the point where he knew two things:  the most important was that Margie was never going to come out of the coma.  She was going to lie there for another sixty years unless someone had the guts to do something about it.  The second thing Pete knew was that George Hannaford was never going to take his eyes off Peter Crofton.

So Pete decided that two things had to happen.  Margie had to go…and so did Peter.  Pete began to carefully devise a new identity for himself.  And he began to prepare for Margie’s demise.

Spending every day at Margie’s bedside had taught Pete everything there was to know about her condition, her medications, her prognosis.  He knew exactly what it would take to kill her.

Margie’s mother came to the hospital four times a week…every other day.  Pete thought this was a most hypocritical schedule, and he loathed Margaret Hannaford for it.  Margie had been reduced to an item on her to-do list.  But still, Margaret loved her daughter, and Pete used that to his advantage, making oblique remarks…never more than one a week…about how poor Margie would hate her present circumstances and, if able, would demand that her soul be set free.

Margaret Hannaford fell under the spell of Pete’s charm and his words and told her husband that, although at the moment, Margie was stable and ‘merely sleeping’, should circumstances change and ‘heroic efforts’ become necessary, she didn’t believe that Margie would want those. 

After two months of effort, Margaret managed to get George to sign the DNR order…Do Not Resuscitate.. 

Pete protested vehemently.  Did they really think it would come to that?  I mean, look at her, she just looks like she’s sleeping.

George and Margaret patted his hand and said they were sorry but they felt this was best.  They left the room, and Pete put his head down on the bed, caressing Margie’s hand.  When he was sure they were gone, he put his head up and put his plan into motion.

Pete had spent over a year becoming a fixture in Margie’s room.  He was part of the furniture, except that he was even more than that.  He had taken over most of her care, giving her baths, washing her hair, even helping with the changing of sheets and monitoring the levels on various intakes and outflows of her body.

He’d also done his homework on the Internet.

It didn’t take more than three weeks to gradually introduce certain drugs into her IV that destabilized Margie.  Two or three instances of placing a pillow over her face and pressing down gently until she stopped breathing and then pushing the nurse call button and going into panic mode had given Pete all the leeway he needed.

The final night when Margie stopped breathing and couldn’t seem to fight her way back was a denouement that Pete considered a masterpiece of theater.  There were the doctors on one side, unable to explain what had happened but shrugging and mentally projecting that they were surprised she’d lasted so long…over here was the grieving fiancé, crying and wailing that there must be something they could do…and over there, the parents, staring down at the order they had signed, holding each other up, hopeless in their despair.

Margie died. 

Pete stood at the graveside, trying not to laugh or dance.  He’d made it.  Goddammit!  He’d won!  He’d spent a fucking year of his life acting out a scene that made Oscar winning actors look like amateurs in summer stock.

Pete stood with his head bowed as the final words were said over Margie.  He knelt down and placed a yellow rose on her coffin before it was lowered into the grave.  He knelt as if in prayer… two, three, four…and then he rose, having carefully counted off the seconds…not too much, not too little.

Ashes to ashes…dust to dust…

The final words were spoken; the mourners lined up to shake their hands.  Pete mumbled thanks and gripped people’s hands sincerely.  When it was all over, he took a special moment to say goodbye to Margie. Then he turned to leave.  Standing in front of him was George Hannaford.

“I didn’t believe you for a minute,” said Margie’s father.  “I’ll be watching you.”

Pete managed to look sorry for the old man.  “I’m sorry, George,” he said, as if the other man had not just threatened him, “I’ll miss her too.”

“If it’s the last thing I do…” said George Hannaford, and he turned and walked away.

Pete watched him go.  Shit!  Now he’d have to wait even longer before he could have his boat.
Chapter 31 by old_archive
Nick and Jo ate silently, digesting the contents of their whirling minds along with their casserole.

Jo wasn’t sure she’d gotten through to Nick, but she was willing to accept the fact that he was, at least, helping her.  She was safe aboard the Lenore, feeling better physically with each passing hour; Bernie was on the case, and the police were involved.  Jo could no longer do anything about that end of things.  Mickey would be found, or she wouldn’t.  She would be safe, or she wouldn’t.  Jo had no control over that.  She had done all she could do.

What she did have some control over, or at least she hoped she did, was the situation with the man across the table from her.  Jo had meant what she said about Mickey being in love with Nick.  Jo smiled to herself as she remembered the hopeless attempt Mickey had made at explaining it to Pete without seeming like some crazy person.

Mickey told Jo that when she tried to explain it to Pete, his eyebrows just went higher and higher and then sailed off the top of his head.  So Mickey promised to put away all her Backstreet Boys memorabilia and remove the framed picture of Nick that stood on the table beside her bed.

Pete thought about it and came back the next day and told her that he guessed he understood, but not really.  But he did understand that it was important to Mickey, so if she wanted, she could keep the picture of Nick on her night table.  Pete’s only request was that she turn the picture around when they were making love.

Nick picked up another forkful of casserole and watched Jo.  She was obviously thinking of something in the past.  Her eyes were far away.  Mickey, he guessed.

Mickey.  His number one fan.

Nick shook his head.  It was indeed a weird world he lived in.  Jo’s frantic attempt at explanation was still ringing in Nick’s ears.  If she couldn’t convince him that Mickey wouldn’t leave her best friend behind, could Jo convince him that she wouldn’t leave her…her what?  Her idol?  Her fantasy lover?  Her…?

Nick didn’t really know what to call it.  And it wasn’t Mickey’s adoration so much that freaked him out, but more Jo’s acceptance of it, that it was a normal way of living to have a framed picture of a celebrity sitting beside your bed, to know his every move, to care vehemently about his life and relationships.

“Who’s your favorite?” he asked.

Jo twitched and then looked at him.  She blinked a couple of times, almost as if she’d forgotten he was there.

But Nick noticed that she knew exactly what he was asking her.

“Brian,” she said softly.

“Ah,” replied Nick, with a smile.  “B-Rok.  Good choice.”

“Frick and Frack,” said Jo.

“Mickey and Jo,” whispered Nick, suddenly understanding.

“Yeah,” murmured Jo, and tears formed at the corners of her eyes.  She swiped at them with the paper towel she was using as a napkin.  “You finished?”

Nick nodded and passed Jo his plate.  She got up and carried the dishes to the kitchen counter.  With her back to him, she was able to talk.

“You guys came into our lives at just the right moment.  We were fifteen or sixteen at the time, completely boy crazy and into music.  There wasn’t a square inch of our bedroom walls that wasn’t covered with posters.  And little by little, it was all you guys.”

She turned back to Nick with a smile.  “And Mickey fell for you in a big way.  I, of course, was more mature and went for an older man.”

Nick laughed.  “If you wanted someone mature, you should have gone for Kevin.”

“Nah,” said Jo, “too old.  I mean, we were fifteen, and he was…what?...24?...25?  Senior citizen time!”

Nick laughed again.

“And of course, there was the whole Frick and Frack thing.  Best friends.  Doing everything together.  Having secret codes and stuff like that, you know.”

Nick raised an eyebrow.  He and Brian had never had a secret code.  Probably a damn good thing. They’d gotten into enough trouble without one.

Jo smiled and went on, “We even tried to get people to call us Frick and Frack, but it never caught on.”

“Did you get to any concerts?” asked Nick.

“Millennium…February 18, 1999,” said Jo, without hesitation.  “Man, when you guys came floating into that stadium, we just stood there and screamed and screamed and screamed.  We couldn’t help ourselves.  We were in the same building as you at last.”

“Cool,” said Nick.  “Did you have good seats?”

“Didn’t you hear me say we were in the building?” laughed Jo.  “That was good enough for us.  I guess you wouldn’t call them good seats, but it was the best we could do.  We almost didn’t get to go at all.  Our parents…”

“What?” protested Nick, getting up from the table.  He held up the bottle of wine.  Jo nodded, and he poured them each another glass.  “Your parents didn’t like us?  How could that be?  We were squeaky clean.  I thought parents loved us.”

“Oh, it wasn’t that,” said Jo.  “It’s just that you had somehow forgotten to put Fayetteville on your tour schedule.  In order for us to see you, we were going to have to travel.  You were in Charlotte, Raleigh and Greensboro, all within four days.  Mickey and I had big plans.  We were going to go to all three shows, drive all over the state, sleep in the car…meet you, marry you…that kind of thing.”

“And your parents had a problem with that?” asked Nick, with a grin.

“Yeah, a little one,” replied Jo.  “Let’s see…what part didn’t they like?  Oh yeah, I remember now …all of it!!” 

She shook her head and laughed.  “Mickey and I were so full of plans.  We had lists and strategy and ideas.  And our parents took the wind out of our sails and said two 17-year-olds were not ‘going on the road with any rock group’.  Finally, we managed to get to them to agree that we could go to Raleigh to the concert.  My mom drove us, and we stayed in a motel and then drove home the next day.” 

Jo paused, thinking back.  “That was the best day of my life to that point.”

Jo turned on the tap and began filling the sink with water.  “Of course, that concert just made us love you guys even more.  Seeing you in person…”  She squirted some dish soap into the water and began piling in the plates and cutlery.  “I think if we’d actually met one of you, we would have fainted…or peed our pants…or some other cool move.”

“Well, you seem to have grown out of it,” said Nick, pretending to pout.  “I mean, when I met you in Calabash, there was no fainting or screaming...or any loss of bodily functions.” 

Jo smiled.  “Well, I’ve grown up a little, and besides you weren’t really you.”

“What the heck does that mean?” asked Nick.

“Well, it was just ‘Jordana Miles…meet Nick Carter’.  A guy, you know, just a guy.  Not like it was 'Ladies and Gentlemen…from the Backstreet Boys…Nick Carterrrrrrrr.'” 

Jo swept her arms out to the sides in a broad gesture, as she exclaimed the final words.  Soap bubbles flew off her hands.

“Hey! Be careful!” sputtered Nick, wiping a blob of soap from his face.  He picked up the dish towel and began drying the plates.

It didn’t take long before the dishes were put away and the kitchen was tidied.  Nick and Jo picked up their wineglasses and walked the few short steps to the living room.  They sat down on the sofa, together but apart. 

Nick picked up Jo’s hand and started playing with her fingers.  “So,” he began haltingly, “when we…um…before…today…when we…”

Jo squeezed his hand, indicating her understanding.

“…it wasn’t…you know…because I’m…who I am?…”  Nick sighed and licked his lips.

Jo set her glass down on the table.  “It was exactly because of who you are,” she said, sliding close to Nick.  She ran her fingers down his face.  “You are a good, kind man.  You’re caring and strong…and beautiful and sexy…’

Nick set his glass down and pulled her into his arms.  “But I don’t have to sing?”

“No,” said Jo, slipping her arms around his neck.  “No, you don’t.”
Chapter 32 by old_archive
From his perch atop the bridge of the Sunset Voyager, Pete saw the lights go out on the Lenore. Pete decided to wait for a bit and then maybe walk over there, just to check things out. In the meantime, he figured he could afford another beer. He didn’t think anything was going to happen tonight.

If there’d been any news, surely he would have heard from Mickey’s mother…or even the police. Pete figured Jo was probably trying to convince Nick to call the police or something. Pete wondered if she was succeeding. Pete thought he’d kept Nick believing in him pretty well, but of course, Jo had an advantage over Pete when it came to Nick. She could fuck him.

Pete knew a lot about Nick. How could you be in Mickey Lassiter’s presence for more than ten minutes and not know a lot about him?! Pete shook his head, remembering Mickey’s obsession with the man. It was too bad she’d never get to meet him. But that was her own fault.

Pete took the beer from the fridge and let his thoughts move back…back to Margie Hannaford and her father.

After George’s remarks at the funeral, Pete Crofton knew he couldn’t change his name and get started on a new life with a new identity. That would be the move of a guilty man, and Pete was not going to give George one ounce of encouragement in his pursuit of justice for his daughter.

Pete could, however, get the hell out of the state of Florida. He considered going back to California, but he didn’t like it there, and he knew George had a lot of contacts there. Instead, Pete went to Charleston, South Carolina for a few months and took stock of his life and his bank balance.

While he was there, he kept a low profile, avoiding the yacht clubs and other haunts of the rich, opting instead to get his ‘boat time’ in by visiting various brokers and hanging out at the marinas. It was here that he found out about the job of ferrying boats around for rich people.

The first time he did it, it was a favor for a friend. Pete never did favors for anyone without some expectation of return, so it wasn’t purely altruistic on his part. He was hoping the friend would put in a good word for him at the brokerage he worked for and that Pete could get a job selling boats.

Pete discovered that delivering boats was an even better job than selling them. Pete got to pretend that the boat belonged to him. And he got paid for doing what he loved most. Not paid much, that was true, but it was enough to keep him from having to dip into the hidden money.

And then something totally unexpected happened.

Pete met Mickey Lassiter at a wedding and fell head over heels in love. She was one of a string of bridesmaids, and he was a last-minute choice as an usher, the chosen one having broken his ankle the week before tripping over a curb, thereby giving the lie to the notion that drunks don’t hurt themselves.

With all the hoopla over the fallen usher and the lateness of Pete’s arrival, he and Mickey never got to meet before the wedding. His first view of her was when he was standing at the front of the church and she walked up the aisle. Pete didn’t look past her to the bride but kept his eyes on her through the whole ceremony.

Mickey noticed him staring and got embarrassed. She blushed and looked down and didn’t pay a lot of attention to the ceremony after that either. After the wedding, when the bridal party was hustled into limousines and taken by the photographer to a public park with lots of flowers and ponds and swans, Pete elbowed Mickey’s intended partner out of the way and took his place instead.

He introduced himself, and they made small talk all the way to the park. During the back and forth and ‘say, cheese’ of the photo shoot, Pete only took his eyes off Mickey when he was forced to look at the camera and smile.

During the reception, he asked Mickey for every dance. When it was over, he had her address and phone number in Lafayette. He knew her life story, and she knew nothing about him…not the truth anyway.

Peter Crofton had forgotten how to tell the truth. He was so used to lying and scheming that he just naturally did so. When the subject of his occupation came up, he said, ‘boat broker’ without a second’s hesitation. He wasn’t sure how to answer the question about where he lived, so he just said ‘Florida’, without naming a city.

After each of these questions, he countered with one of his own and managed to keep the spotlight on Mickey’s life, charming her beyond all expectation by his attention and sweetness.

Mickey floated home from the wedding and immediately called Jo to tell her all about it. The next day, Pete sent flowers, and the day after that, Mickey arrived home from work to find him sitting outside her door in a sports car with a picnic basket and a bottle of wine.

Pete wined and dined Mickey for a month or so, keeping a careful eye on his bank balance. When it became clear that he and Mickey were hitting it off, he closed up the apartment in Charleston and found one in Fayetteville. He told her that he could be a boat broker from anywhere, what with the Internet and all.

It was the first time in his life that Pete felt guilty about lying. He wasn’t sure if he felt guilty because he was remorseful or because he was afraid of being found out.

Six weeks into the relationship, Pete excused himself from Fayetteville, telling Mickey that he had to go to Florida for a convention and boat sale. Really, he was delivering a houseboat to Jacksonville. He went as fast as he could, pushing the small boat to its limit, driving from sunup to sundown, stopping only for fuel.

It was after the third such trip that Pete finally confessed to Mickey that he wasn’t really a boat broker. When he explained what he did, Mickey said that she thought that was an even better job. Who wanted to be a salesman, anyway? Getting out on the water was much more adventurous. She wished that she could come along on one of the trips with him.

Pete relaxed a little and decided that from here on in, he was going to tell Mickey the truth. Lying was, however, a hard habit for Pete to break. It was second nature to him. He always wanted to make himself look better than he really was. When Mickey asked him about college, he rattled off his prepared story, naming the small southern college that barely anyone had heard of.

“I never went to college,” confessed Mickey. “I went straight to work in the firm.”

The firm was one of Fayetteville’s top advertising agencies. Mickey had served a term there in high school as part of an apprenticeship program. Mickey and advertising were made for each other and fortunately, the head of the firm noticed it. He offered Mickey a summer job and then, when she finished high school, a permanent place.

Mickey accepted, and it wasn’t long before she had her own accounts. Clients were surprised at first, and a little leery, to discover such a young person in charge of their account. Mickey soon won them over, however, with her charm, know-how and amazingly creative ideas.

Pete could have kicked himself when Mickey said she hadn’t gone to college. He could have made a lot of mileage out of saying he had made his way the hard way, without benefit of wealthy parents or a college degree. Oh well, too late now.

Everything was going along great. Pete was madly in love, and he thought that Mickey was too. He started making noises about more permanent living arrangements, saving money by only paying one rent, etc. Mickey backed up a step at that, and Pete tried to slow it down. But his bank balance was getting dangerously low. He couldn’t keep up appearances much longer, and there was no way he was touching Margie’s money for at least another year.

Then something went wrong. Pete didn’t know what it was, but Mickey changed. Instead of being wildly in love with him, she seemed wary. Every conversation held a question about Pete’s past or his business or his family. They were questions he thought he’d already answered, and he wondered why she was asking them again.

Good liars have to have good memories, and Pete had one of the best. He knew his ‘story’ inside out, and he never wavered. But Mickey knew something. He could tell that.

It all came to a head just before the trip to Fort Lauderdale. Mickey insisted that Jordana come along with them. Pete had not lied to Nick when he said that he was going to propose to Mickey on the trip, and he had tried numerous ways of keeping Jo out of the equation without coming right out and saying he didn’t want her along on the journey.

Pete Crofton didn’t want Jordana Miles anywhere near him. He sensed that she had never liked him, and the feeling was mutual. Pete didn’t know why, Jordana seemed like a nice enough person, but from the moment they met, they had disliked each other. Pete wondered if that was the problem with Mickey…that Jo had been pouring poison about him into her ear. He was relieved when Jo went to Europe, but it didn’t seem to help his relationship with Mickey.

Then Mickey told him she wasn’t going on the trip.

On the day before they were supposed to leave…the fucking day before!! All the arrangements were made. Pete had even agreed to take Jo along.

They’d gone out to dinner and were walking back to the parking garage. Pete never paid for valet parking. They were walking along, enjoying the warm, spring air and suddenly, just as they were entering the stairwell in the parking garage, Mickey announced that Jo wasn’t going on the trip. And not only that, Mickey wasn’t going either, and when the trip was over, Pete could stay in Florida because he wasn’t welcome in Fayetteville.

Pete opened his mouth to charm his way past her anger, but he never got the chance. Mickey cut him off and informed him that she had checked him out and that she had found out that every word out of his mouth had been a lie so she supposed the words ‘I love you’ had been too.

Pete followed her up the stairs, trying to protest, “No, Mickey, I…”

“Shut up,” said Mickey, “I’m not done yet.”

This surprised Pete into silence, and he stopped on the landing, feeling his temperature rise as Mickey detailed the lies that Pete had told her about his background. Then she mentioned Margie Hannaford, and then she mentioned Celia Prudhomme.

A red haze began at the corners of Pete’s eyes and slowly moved inward, clouding his vision. His anger became a loud humming sound, and he could barely make out Mickey’s words.

“Mickey, listen…” he begged. And then he turned on the old Pete charm.

But Mickey wouldn’t listen. She told him to go…go back to Florida…find some other rich woman to live off…go on, go away…she had to phone Jo and tell her not to bother packing…

Maybe it was the mention of Jo that did it. Maybe it was the fact that he had spent almost all of his money. Maybe it was the fact that, for one of the few times in his life, Pete wasn’t going to get his own way, wasn’t going to be able to talk someone around to his viewpoint. Maybe it was the fact that he really loved her and couldn’t stand losing her.

Whatever it was, Pete’s anger rose up, and before he knew what he was doing, he’d reached out with both hands and shoved Mickey hard, screaming, “Shut up! Shut up!”

Mickey took two steps backward, but she was standing at the top of a flight of stairs, and after two steps, there was nothing but air. Her arms flailed as she fought for balance, but she could get none, and she tumbled backwards down the steps, striking her head on the concrete at the bottom with a sickening thud.

Pete stared at her from the top of the stairs. “Mickey,” he cried, and he started down the steps toward her. He stopped halfway down, however, when he saw the spreading pool of blood coming from under her head, which lay at an unnatural angle. “Mickey,” he whispered.

There was no movement. Pete stood and watched her for several seconds, his mind racing. Finally, he made his way carefully down the last couple of steps and gently picked up her wrist. There was no pulse. She was dead.

Pete stepped away from the body and shoved his hands in his pockets. Think! he told himself.

He looked around him and then listened carefully, making sure he was alone. Then he went back up the stairs and picked up Mickey’s purse from where it had fallen on the landing above. He removed her cell phone and her identification but left all her cash. Then Pete carefully wiped his fingerprints from the purse and put it back down on the landing.

They had come in Mickey’s car. Pete had leased one but used it as little as possible, always citing some mechanical malfunction as the reason to take Mickey’s. Pete didn’t go back to Mickey’s car now. Pete didn’t care about any evidence of himself that was in the car. Of course, there would be. He was in the car all the time. He looked at the railing on the stairs and squinted hard, trying to remember. No, he hadn’t touched it.

Pete retraced his steps to the entrance of the parking garage, using his shirt tail to wipe off the door handle to the stairwell. He saw a sign that said, ‘Construction. Do not enter.’ He pulled it in front of the stairwell door. Then he walked home. He paced his apartment and tried to get his mind to work.

If only…the words played a refrain across the back of his head. If only…

Pete shook his head to get rid of the thought. He didn’t have time for regrets. If he started down that road, he’d be sitting there all night. No, it was time for action.

Pete got his key to Mickey’s apartment. He’d had it made without her knowing. Just in case… well, he figured it was now ‘in case’. He went to her apartment and let himself in. He got out a suitcase and carefully packed two weeks worth of clothes and toiletries. He found rubber gloves under the sink in the kitchen and wore them while he went through her desk and briefcase, looking for anything bad about himself. He didn’t find anything.

Pete put the suitcase in the trunk and carefully locked Mickey’s apartment. He made sure no one saw him coming or going. He went back home and sat down again, staring into space, trying to figure out his next move.

The cold sweat of fear was clouding his brain. Pete swiveled his neck, trying to calm himself.

Mickey was dead.

That was fact number one.

People would think he had killed her.

That was fact number two.

Fact number two was, in truth, that Pete had killed her, but he was already rewriting history in his mind. She fell; he didn’t push her.

Now Pete just had to keep her alive until he could get out of town. He reached out to the table and picked up Mickey’s cell phone. He dialed his own number. Even so, when the phone rang, it startled him. He let it ring until his answering machine came on. He waited another thirty seconds and then he hung up Mickey’s phone and erased the blank message from his machine.

Pete packed his own suitcase and set it by the front door. That took half an hour. Pete figured that was long enough. He called Mickey’s cell phone.

When the voice mail kicked in, he said, “Hey, Babe! Got your message. Listen, don’t worry about it. I’m sure you left it at the restaurant. We can pick it up tomorrow on our way out. See you bright and early. Love you. Bye.”

Pete paced the apartment for the rest of the night, going over things in his head and making plans. If he could just get to the boat, everything would be fine. Once he was on the boat, everything would be okay. He just had to get to the boat.

With Jo.

Pete had to pick Jo up in the morning and get her to the boat. He had to make her think that Mickey was still alive but…detained…work…yeah, that would be it, some work emergency. Once on the boat, he’d do the cell phone thing again, have Mickey ‘call’ him, to establish that she was still alive.

Then he’d take the boat and go to Florida. Yeah, if he could just make it to the boat.
Chapter 33 by old_archive
Pete made it to the boat with no problem. In the morning, he had Mickey call him again. Then he called back to the cell phone and left a message, saying “No problem. Don’t work too hard. I’ll talk to you later.” Then he went to pick up Jo.

On the way, he drove past the parking garage, looking carefully around the area. There was no police activity, no sign of Crime Scene tape.

He picked up Jo, and they drove off. Pete carefully explained that Mickey had some kind of emergency at the office and that she would drive her own car down later. Jo narrowed her eyes at him. Pete reassured Jo that he had all Mickey’s stuff with him and that she had promised she’d be there by five.

Jo had still seemed doubtful, so Pete handed over his cell phone and said, “Call her.”

He could feel Mickey’s cell phone vibrate in his pocket as Jo listened through the rings until the voice mail came on. She left a message saying, Don’t work too hard, and we’ll see you later at the boat.

It couldn’t have been any more fucking perfect if he’d written it himself. Pete smiled and stepped on the accelerator.

“What are you so happy about?” asked Jo.

Pete shrugged. “Just getting on the boat, that’s all.”

Jo looked like shit. She said her stomach was upset, had been since she got back from Europe. Pete inquired solicitously every half hour if she was okay. At one point, he pulled over and got her a drink at a 7-11. A few miles down the road, she told him to pull over. He barely got the car stopped before Jo opened the door and vomited onto the road.

Pete reached over and grabbed her hair, holding it back for her. He opened the glove compartment and pulled out some tissues. He was tempted to push her out of the car and drive off, but he didn’t. He needed her for the moment.

Still, a few miles up the road, when he stopped to buy some bottled water for her, Pete shoplifted a small can of rat poison.

Pete felt his spirits lift when he stepped aboard the Sunset Voyager. It wasn’t the boat he would have chosen for himself, but it was still a pretty luxurious vessel. Pete wished he could take it out on the ocean and find out what it could really do, but he knew he couldn’t. That was expressly forbidden in his contract.

Pete got all the luggage aboard. Then he told Jo to take a nap, that he was just going to walk around and look at things and get the grocery order. He came back an hour later with a sandwich he’d bought from the snack bar. He’d checked out the other boats. He really liked one called the Lenore. Pete wished he could own that one. He wished stupid George Hannaford would give up his friggin’ quest for justice, so that Pete could buy his own boat.

Pete willed the time to go faster and for the grocery man to get here. He wanted to be underway. He wanted to be nowhere near Fayetteville or Calabash when Mickey’s body was discovered. He also didn’t want Jo to have any means of contacting anyone.

As much as Pete didn’t want Jo around, he knew she was his ace in the hole…his star witness, the person who could testify that Pete hadn’t been nervous or jittery, that he’d been kind and sincere, that he believed that Mickey was still alive and coming to Calabash.

Yeah, Pete could do this. He had to.

And then along came Nick.

Pete couldn’t believe his luck. At first, he thought he’d just found a character witness, someone who could say that Pete had been planning on proposing to Mickey and couldn’t wait for her to get there. He’d also sown a few seeds of doubt about Jo’s stability just in case.

Pete had asked Nick out to dinner because he wanted to continue to show how relaxed he was, how he was looking forward to Mickey coming and how Mickey would faint when she met Nick.

And then in the middle of dinner, inspiration struck. He pulled out his cell phone and started talking. He excused himself politely from the table after establishing who he was ‘talking’ to. In the hallway of the restaurant, he pulled Mickey’s phone out of his other pocket and dialed his number. This was too perfect, he thought. If it ever came to it, he would plant Mickey’s cell phone in her apartment and then ‘find’ it. Check the records, he’d tell the police. That will prove my innocence.

Pete accompanied Nick back to the Lenore for a beer, even though his better judgment told him not to. He’d accomplished what he wanted, and he should have just let it go, but his desire to see the interior of the Lenore got the better of him. He was careful to keep the conversation about boats, and then he said goodbye to Nick and went back to the Sunset Voyager. It was all going well.

Except that the stupid bastard showed up in Charleston!

Pete nearly pissed himself when Nick called his name at the marina. Pete thought Nick was supposed to be taking it slowly. Pete figured by pushing hard the first day, he’d leave Nick behind.

But apparently, he’d been so goddamn fucking charming that the blond popstar couldn’t wait to see him again.

Pete blundered through an explanation of Mickey’s continuing absence and took another step toward making Jo look ‘fragile’. Later, on the Lenore, he took that a huge leap further by confiding in Nick about Jo’s illness. Pete wasn’t even sure why he was doing that, but once he got started, he couldn’t stop.

The next day, Pete got up and away early. He wanted to get ahead of Nick. He didn’t know how far he’d get that day, but he did know one thing. He wasn’t stopping in Beaufort. He’d dropped the name, thinking that, if Nick was longing for their company again, he would go there. Instead, Pete anchored in the channel, even though the guidebooks recommended against it.

The water was rough, and it upset Jo’s stomach again. It even made Pete feel a little queasy. He made her another cup of the herbal tea he’d been plying her with and dropped in a little more rat poison. He didn’t want to kill her yet; he just wanted to keep her sick.

Pete was glad he’d done it when they got to Savannah and Nick showed up again. Pete watched Nick standing there listening to Jo puke, and he could see that Nick believed she was doing it to herself.

Pete had had to take deep breaths and rein in his anger when he saw Nick standing on the dock. He’d wanted to run at the guy and beat him. Why did he keep turning up? Why didn’t he take his rich boy boat and go to Florida and mind his own fucking business?

The next day Pete got up even earlier. He started the engines and slipped the boat out into the channel without even turning on the running lights. He wanted to get away and find a place to hide so that Nick would go past him. It wasn’t doing Pete any good apparently to try and outrun him, so let the stupid prick pass him and be done with it. Pete could afford a day or two of just sitting. He would still get to Fort Lauderdale on time.

He moved the boat up the middle of the channel. He came to the Herb River, but it was still dark and he didn’t want to chance it. He passed Moon River. That one wasn’t deep enough. The sky was getting lighter as he made his way carefully through Hell Gate, avoiding the shoals. Pete checked the charts and the guidebook. Shit! He had to find a place to hide.

He came up on Bear Island. He swung around it to the left. He checked the chart again. Redbird Creek. Yeah, that’s what he’d do. He’d turn into it. The guidebook said that it had lots of nature and wildlife, and he’d pull in there. He could tell Jo that they were taking a nature break and bore the shit out of her until she went below for a nap. Then they would meander a few more miles and stop at the nearest marina. That would give Nick plenty of time to get by them.

And then the bastard pulled into the creek right behind them.

Pete was so angry he wanted to pull out his gun and shoot Nick, just blast him right between the eyes. It was a good thing the gun was locked in the cupboard below, thought Pete, taking deep breaths and trying to regain control as he smiled and waved at Nick.

Shit! Shit! Shit!

The funny thing was, thought Pete, that Nick seemed to be the nervous one. Something was making him uncomfortable. For some reason, Pete thought it was Jo. Pete rattled on about the birds, and everything seemed to go fine. Pete had named a marina way far down the waterway and even conned Nick into phoning it for a reservation. Then they got on their separate boats and drove away.

Except Nick wouldn’t go around him. He wouldn’t pass. It didn’t matter how slowly Pete went, Nick stayed behind him. If Pete sped up a little, so did Nick. Finally, Pete had no choice but to do what he’d said he was going to. He headed for the Golden Isles Marina on St. Simon’s Island.

That’s when it all started going to shit. Jo had been on his case all day about Mickey, asking weird questions. She refused to eat or drink anything he prepared and made cryptic remarks about past lives coming back to haunt and shit like that.

Then she disappeared at the marina, and Pete knew his story was unraveling fast. If that stupid, fucking Carter had just done what he was supposed to and got the hell out of his life, Pete would be in the clear. Now he was caught in a myriad of lies.

Still, he had Mickey’s cell phone. Now he just had to get rid of Jo and Nick. Because Pete knew she was with him. The first time, Pete dropped by the boat to say Jo was missing, Nick was telling the truth when he said he hadn’t seen her. Pete could always tell whether someone was telling him the truth or lying to him. The second time, Nick was lying. He’d seen Jo. Pete was sure of it.

Pete was actually kind of surprised when Nick agreed to let him search the Lenore. He hadn’t found Jo, but he’d found some strands of her hair. Pete knew that Jo had never been below deck on the Lenore before that day, so it had to have been since dinner. Pete smiled and said ‘thanks’ and left the boat, but his mind and stomach were churning. Then his cell phone rang and it was Jo telling him that she was in a hotel and not coming back. Pete wanted to believe her, but he didn’t.

Pete paced up and down and tried to decide what to do. He wondered if Mickey’s body had been identified yet. He was sure it would have been found but since she hadn’t been reported missing, maybe she hadn’t been identified.

But when she was…

Pete had trapped himself in his own web of lies. Sure, Nick could attest to the fact that Mickey had called that first night, but he’d also have the other story to tell…about Jo’s illness.

No, Jo had to go. And so did Nick.

They were coming up on the Dead Zone in the waterway. Pete could do something there, somehow get them to pull their boat over, kill them both and dump their bodies. He’d have to destroy the Lenore, and that was a shame because it was such a beautiful boat but…no, it had to go.

Pete tiptoed over to the Lenore in the middle of the night. He climbed carefully aboard and shone his light into the cabin. He saw the beer bottle and the plastic water bottle. He grimaced in satisfaction. He’d been right. He looked in all the windows but saw no more evidence of Jo.

Pete went back to the Sunset Voyager and thought things over. This was perfect, he decided. This was even better. He didn’t have to worry about getting rid of Jo. She was gone…gone off with Nick. Pete would establish that and then kill them both.

Of course, it meant that he’d have lost his witness, but he still had the cell phone. If he needed it. Maybe he wouldn’t even need it. Maybe he could just disappear. Not go back to Fayetteville. Just disappear completely.

Pete told himself to stop…stop thinking…stop planning so far ahead. Let’s take this one day at a time. And let’s start with tomorrow. Get some sleep now, you’ll need it.

The next morning, Pete waited until he saw someone on the dock. He didn’t care who; he just needed a witness. The clerk came along, and Pete offered him fifty dollars if he would call him on his cell phone when the Lenore left the marina.

Then Pete took his boat out of the harbor and waited. When Nick passed him, Pete ignored the churning emotions inside him and waved. Nick waved back, but he looked very uncertain. Pete followed the Lenore, but then he lost sight of her. He cruised up and down for a while and checked a few inlets but couldn’t find her. He was about to break out into high speed and see if he could catch up with her when his cell phone rang.

The signal was weak, but Pete managed to make out that it was the clerk from the Golden Isles. Did Pete want to know where the Lenore was?

Yes, he surely did.
Chapter 34 by old_archive
DAY 7 – St. Simon’s Island, GA

Nick stretched and opened his eyes.  It was still dark out.  The only light filtering up the hall from the living area was from the dock lights.  The curtains remained carefully drawn in the bedroom, shutting out the light and the prying eyes of any intruders.

Before they had gone to bed the night before, Nick had bolted the hatch to the door again, not because he thought it would calm Jo, but because it calmed him.  Nick couldn’t really get a handle on the situation, but he was sure of one thing.  He wanted to get the hell out of it.

He and Jo hadn’t talked much the night before. Even though it hadn’t been late, they‘d gone to bed right after dinner…well, right after a pretty hot necking session on the sofa.  It was kind of weird.  The necking session was an entity unto itself…it wasn’t foreplay for sex.  Somehow they both seemed to know that.

When they took a break, Jo said she had to go to the bathroom.  Nick suggested that they watch a movie in bed.  He thought that was a pretty clever way of putting it.  It meant that he figured they’d be sleeping in the same bed but that they weren’t going to just jump in and go at it.

Jo nodded her agreement.  She said, “I’ll just get into my jammies then,” and she disappeared into the bathroom. 

Nick opened the cupboard in the dining room and ran his eyes over his DVDs.  He didn’t want something that was about killing, but that seemed to be all he had.  Every movie struck him as pertaining to the situation he was now in.  He had Liar Liar with Jim Carrey.  He had The Fugitive.  Even though that was an older movie, it was one of Nick’s favorites.  But he didn’t think a movie about a falsely-accused man would sit too well with Jo right now. 

He ran his finger across the cases.  Man, he had a lot of violent movies here.  He pulled The Phantom Menace out of the cupboard. Maybe Jo wouldn’t mind if it was aliens getting killed.

“No chick flicks?”

Jo’s voice startled Nick.  He turned to look at her and his heart stopped.  She was holding a knife in her hand, and it was raised over her head ready to stab him.

Nick blinked, and the knife became a hairbrush, and Jo ran it through her hair.

“How about this?” he said, and he knew his voice sounded squeaky.

Jo looked at it and shrugged.  “Anything will do,” she said.  “I’ll probably just fall asleep.  I always do when I try to watch TV in bed.”

Nick went up the hall and stripped down as far as his boxers.  He popped in a DVD, and they watched it for a while.  Jo wasn’t wrong.  She was asleep within twenty minutes.  Nick thought that was interesting…that neither one of them seemed to either want sex or expect the other person to want it either.

Nick smiled.  After all, they’d already done it twice today.  He leaned back on the pillows and closed his eyes, remembering.  It had been good…really good.  Give and take.  It didn’t always happen that way for him. 

Sex with women usually went one of two ways with Nick.  First, there were the star-fuckers who would do anything he wanted and spent most of the time telling him how good they were for him and how he should call them.  The second kind were the selfish ones…okay, Mr. Hotshot, show me what you got. 

Nick grinned in the dark.  He had a lot, and he knew how to use it, but he performed enough on stage, thank you very much, he didn’t feel like doing a star turn every time some girl laid down on her back.

Nick fell asleep soon after Jo.  He woke up an hour later and turned off the movie.  Then he shifted around in the bed trying to get comfortable.  Jo nestled back against him, and for a few moments, his nether regions tried to talk him into waking her up.  But his tired brain prevailed over his libido, and he went back to sleep.

Now it was morning.  Nick stretched again, trying to decide if this time he was really awake.  He decided that he was.  He got out of bed as quietly as he could and made his way up the hall to the bathroom, pulling on yesterday’s t-shirt as he walked.  He went to the toilet and brushed his teeth.  Then he crept out to the kitchen and put on a pot of coffee.  While he was pouring the water into the coffee maker, he heard the toilet flush.

Nick pursed his lips.  He guessed morning sex was out if Jo was already up.  He got out two mugs and set them on the counter.  He listened to the hiss and gurgle of the coffee maker and he drummed his fingers on the counter, humming his I’m Cool song under his breath.

Suddenly, he stopped and looked around.  He stepped back from the counter and looked up the hallway.  There were no lights on.  Hmmm…Maybe coffee wasn’t his first priority, after all.

Nick glided silently up the hall and stuck his head in the bedroom.  Jo had propped the pillows up in the middle of the bed and was leaning against them, her hair fanned out on the pillow and the duvet pulled up under her armpits.  She was no longer wearing the t-shirt.

“Hi,” she said, and she bit her bottom lip, suddenly shy.

“I was making coffee,” said Nick.  The shyness was contagious.  He looked at his feet.

“Do you want me to get up?” asked Jo.

Nick raised his head and looked at her.  His smile turned up the corner of his mouth and turned up Jo’s heart rate as well.  “No,” he said, “I was going to come back to bed.”

“Are you still sleepy?” asked Jo.

“Nope,” said Nick, crossing his arms across his chest and pulling off the t-shirt.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


“Nick, don’t you think we should get up soon?” asked Jo.

“Why?” asked Nick, raising himself up one elbow.  He leaned down and kissed Jo on the shoulder. 

“Because it’s nearly nine o’clock,” laughed Jo.  “I think the coffee’s probably ready by now.”

“It should be,” said Nick.  “I set it up at six.  Geez, that doesn’t seem like three hours ago.”

“Well, you know what they say,” said Jo, “time flies…”

Nick finished the sentence with her, “…when you’re having fun.”

They both laughed and suddenly, Nick sobered.  “It was fun, Jo.  I mean it.  I really, really enjoyed it.”

Jo narrowed her eyes slightly in question.  “Weren’t you expecting to?”

“No,” said Nick, “it’s not that.  It’s just that…” 

Nick paused, realizing that just about anything he said here would be the wrong thing.  He went over a few thoughts in his head.  Nope, that made him sound like an arrogant prick; nope, that made her sound like a lunatic; nope, that made her sound like a slut; aw, shit!

Jo began to smile.  “Do you mean that because of our insane situation here that it’s surprising we took a little time out for ‘fun’?”

“No,” said Nick, deciding that if he had to choose a path to destruction, he was going to go the arrogant rock star route.  “It’s that it was just really cool being with someone who didn’t treat me like Nick Carter.”

Jo laughed.  “That’s true.  I had more of a Matt Damon thing going on in my head.”

Nick’s eyes widened in surprise.  Then he laughed.

Jo tilted her head on one side and looked at him.  “I get what you’re saying, Nick.  I guess it must be really hard for you to sort out the…the…”

”Yeah, it’s hard,” said Nick, “so, thank you.”  Nick leaned down and kissed her shoulder again. 

“My pleasure,” said Jo, and then she laughed.  “And I mean that sincerely.”

They looked into each other’s eyes.  Nick was just about to reach for her when they heard voices on the dock.  It brought them back into the real world, and with a sigh, they moved away from each other.

A few minutes later, over coffee, Jo asked about Bernie.  “When do you think he’ll call?”

“He’s on the west coast,” said Nick, “so that’s three hours time difference.  We won’t hear from him until…oh, probably noon or thereabouts.”

“What do you think we should do?” asked Jo.  “Do you think we should just stay here?”

“Well, if we head out now, we’ll be in the Dead Zone by noon, so that’s probably not a good plan.”

“What do you think…?”  Jo hesitated.  She didn’t want to say Pete’s name. 

She didn’t have to.

“Let me look,” said Nick, understanding where her thoughts were going because his were going the same direction. 

He undid the bolts and slid back the hatch cover.  Then he unlocked the door and went up the stairs.  The sky was cloudy.  A weak sun was trying to shine through the overcast. 

Nick crossed his fingers and hoped like hell that the Sunset Voyager was gone.  Pete could lurk out in the bay all day waiting for them if that’s what he had in mind, thought Nick.  If the Sunset Voyager was gone from the marina, Nick wasn’t budging from it.  He squinted in that direction out of the corner of his eye.

Shit!  It was still there.  Nick swiveled his neck, taking in the whole marina.  He didn’t want to seem like he was staring at one boat.  As his eyes crossed the path of the Sunset Voyager, he didn’t see any movement.  But when his eyes moved past the shower building, he saw Pete coming out, freshly showered and shaved and ready for the day.

It bothered Nick, made him feel at a disadvantage.  He was unshaven and unshowered and smelled like sex.  That hadn’t been a bad thing when he was sitting having coffee with Jo but it made him feel like he wasn’t in control of the situation with Pete. 

And he needed to be in control because Pete was advancing down the dock toward the Lenore.  Nick could see that Pete had spotted him so there was no way to duck down into the cabin and warn Jo.  So Nick just stretched his arms up over his head and then out to the side, trying to think. He wasn’t sure what to say to Pete.  He wasn’t sure if the other man was as blasé and carefree about him and Jo as he seemed. 

Nick couldn’t think of what to say, but it didn’t matter.  Because Pete spoke first, and the words took the wind out of Nick’s sails.

“Mickey’s missing.”

“What?”  Nick couldn’t believe what he was hearing.

“I phoned her mom.  You know…because I hadn’t heard from her…and I didn’t want to believe that she’d…you know…just…” 

Pete had come to this decision in the early morning.  He realized that he should be showing a little interest in Mickey’s whereabouts.  He also couldn’t stand to wait any longer to see if she’d been found. Mickey’s mother had informed him that she thought Mickey was on the boat with Pete, right up until the cop had knocked on her door last night and asked for a picture of her daughter.

“Maybe Jo should hear this,” suggested Nick.

”I am hearing it,” said Jo, walking up behind him.  “I’m just not believing it.”

“No, it’s true,” said Pete, deliberately misinterpreting her.  “Someone filed a missing person report.”

“Yeah, I know,” said Jo, coldly.  “I did.”

Pete and Jo stared at each other for a moment. 

“Tell me what you know, Jo,” pleaded Pete.

“What the…?”  Jo was dumbfounded by the remark.

“I mean it, I want to know.  Was there…is there someone else?”

“You fucking asshole!” exploded Jo.  “You know there was no one else.  And you knew she was missing because you killed her and hid her body.”

Nick watched Pete’s face carefully.  Each of Jo’s statements was like a slap, and Pete reacted physically to them, jerking his head a little and stepping back.

“What are you saying, Jo?” 

Nick had to admit that if Pete was lying, he was a damn good actor.  If he was lying…

“When was the last time you talked to her?” demanded Jo.

“Charleston.”  Both Pete and Nick answered at once.

Pete and Jo both looked at Nick.  Pete’s brain experienced a smug smile of satisfaction but he kept it off his face.

“What?”  Jo directed this question at Nick.

“That’s what Pete said,” replied Nick.  “He told me last night.  He hasn’t spoken to her since Charleston.  He didn’t say anything.  He didn’t want to upset you.”

“Then he shouldn’t have killed her,” said Jo, her voice heavy and leaden.  She looked accusingly at Nick.  “And you…”

Tears filled Jo’s eyes.

“Jo, I…”  Nick reached out a hand to her, but Jo waved him off.

“Forget it,” she said.  “I’ll wait for Bernie.”  She turned and went below.

“Bernie?” inquired Pete, innocently.

“Yeah, that’s my business manager.  He…uh…he’s checking into things for us…we…uh…we called him.”

”That’s great,” said Pete.

Nick raised an eyebrow.

Pete explained that he meant it was great that someone with a land line was looking into things because both Pete and Nick were in such an iffy area, cell phone-wise.

“What are you going to do…just wait here until he calls?” asked Pete.

“I don’t know,” said Nick, non-committally.  “It depends what Jo wants to do.  We might head out to the ocean and make for Jacksonville.  Or we might just hang here until Bernie calls.”

Pete pulled a card out of his pocket.  “This is my card,” he said.  “It’s got my cell phone on it.  If you hear anything, give me a call, okay?”

Nick took the card.  “Uh, yeah, sure.”

“And I’ll monitor channel 8…on the radio…on the boat…if you can’t get me by phone, call me on that.”

“Sure,” said Nick again.

“I really want to know, Nick,” said Pete, taking a deep breath and shaking his head to force the tears away.

“Yeah, if I hear anything, I’ll let you know.”

“Okay,” said Pete, “I guess there’s nothing left to do then except pray.”

The dark-haired man turned and walked slowly away, his shoulders slumped in despair and defeat.
Chapter 35 by old_archive
Pete turned and walked away, and Nick stood on the deck of the Lenore.  Pete’s answer to Mickey being missing was to pray.  Nick’s answer had been to have sex with her best friend.
Nick looked toward the doorway.  And said best friend was now pissed off at him because… because what?...because he didn’t know who to believe?

Nick shook his head.  He believed Jo.  He had to.  Otherwise, his actions were totally indefensible. If he really thought she was a mental case, then sleeping with her was a serious mistake, if not a completely dishonorable act. 

And Mickey was missing, Nick told himself.  Not that he wanted her to be, he wanted her safe and sound.  And so did Jo.  She didn’t want her to be missing, either.  And neither did Pete.  Although he seemed to think that Mickey had just gone off with someone else.

Nick thought over his last encounter with Pete.  The guy seemed sincere, but then again, Nick told himself, the guy always seemed sincere.  That was part of the problem.  If Pete would only act like a murderer…

Nick grimaced.  Be careful what you ask for, he told himself, recalling his grandmother’s words.  Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

Nick turned to go below.  He might as well face Jo sooner than later.  He sighed.  This could be a long day.

Jo sat on the sofa in the living room, with her arms crossed and a scowl on her face.  “What fairy tale did he tell you this time?” she demanded, as soon as Nick descended the stairs.

“Aw, Jo, come on,” said Nick.  “I didn’t say I believed him.  I just said that was what he said.”

“Okay, fine,” said Jo, in a tone of voice that said it was anything but fine.  “So, what did he say?”

Nick sighed.  “He said that he hadn’t talked to Mickey since Charleston.  He said that he got the impression that he was being dumped and that she had someone else, and he never heard from her again.”

“But he kept telling me he did,” insisted Jo.

“Yeah, I know,” said Nick.  “He said he didn’t want to worry you, that he just wanted to get to Florida and get you home and straighten everything out.”

“Then why isn’t he?” asked Jo.

“Why isn’t he what?” asked Nick.

“Why isn’t he in Florida?  Why did he come back yesterday?  Why is he still here today?  Why doesn’t he just go away?”  Jo’s voice rose on each succeeding question, and on the last one, her voice broke.  She put her face in her hands and started to cry.

“I don’t know, Jo,” said Nick, his voice tired.  His psyche was tired too.  He was sick of saying that he didn’t know.

“Look,” he said.  “Let’s go have a shower.  Then we’ll come back here and shove off.  We can wander down the waterway a bit but still stay within phone range.  We can duck into an inlet or something and wait there…like we did yesterday.”

Jo swiped at her eyes.  “But still within phone range?”

Nick nodded.  “Yeah.  We’ll wait for Bernie to call before we go too far.”

“Okay,” said Jo, softly.  “I just don’t want to be around…”  Jo nodded in the direction of the Sunset Voyager.  “…him.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the Sunset Voyager, Peter Crofton considered his options.  He was glad he’d had the flash of insight last night that he needed to call Mickey’s mother this morning.  It was fine to sell that idiot Carter the story that he thought Mickey might have run off with another man, but he had to put the idea into someone else’s head as well.  Or at least the idea that he was worried about her.

Pete knew Jo wasn’t buying his story for a second, but that was okay.  She was going to be dead before the day was over.  She wasn’t going to be able to tell anyone her suspicions.  Except she’d already told Nick.  Oh well, he was going to be dead too.  Pete just hoped he hadn’t passed on too much information to Bernie. 

That’s an unknown factor, Pete told himself.  You can’t do anything about that yet.  All you can do is go with what you know.

What he knew was that it could be a very long day and he’d better be prepared for it.  Pete prepared a cooler with sandwiches, fruit and bottles of water.   He took it up to the bridge.  He glanced over at the Lenore and saw Nick and Jo walking along the dock.  Going to the showers, he guessed. 

Pete went below and unlocked the cupboard that held the gun and the cell phone.  He retraced his steps to the bridge and hid the gun in the small compartment used for maps.  Then he took the cell phone down and into his bedroom. 

Pete was a very orderly person.  All his clothes were hanging neatly in the closet or were folded in the dresser drawer.  His dirty laundry was in a mesh bag that sat between the bed and the dresser.  Pete took the cell phone and shoved it down into the middle of the dirty laundry.

He went into Jo’s room and packed all her stuff into her suitcase.  He folded it all carefully but quickly.  He didn’t know how much time he had.  He wanted to get the suitcase to the Lenore before Nick and Jo departed.  He wanted it to look like Jo had decided to go off with Nick to get laid, not that she had done a midnight flight in terror.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Nick returned from the shower to find that Jo was already back. Man, the girl was fast, thought Nick! 

Jo was in the kitchen, making sandwiches.  “I figured I’d make up some lunch,” she said.

“Good idea,” said Nick.  “I’ll get the cooler.”

“Oh, and this arrived while we were out,” said Jo, nodding at the suitcase, now sitting in the living room.  “It’s my stuff.  I guess I’m officially a member of the Lenore crew now.”

“Welcome aboard, Sailor,” said Nick, snapping off a salute.  Then he leaned down and gently kissed her.

“I’ll put it in your room,” he said, picking up the suitcase and taking it up the hall.

Nick and Jo spent half an hour fussing over the cooler.  By the time they were done, although they didn’t know it, they had almost exactly the same stuff in it as Pete did in his.

After they were done with the food, Nick got out his charts.  He showed Jo where they were and the route he hoped to take.  He showed her where they had lost cell phone range the day before, and they talked about how far they should go before they called Bernie.

Jo said that she was going to make the bed, and Nick said he would take the charts up to the bridge.

He came back down and found Jo sitting on the sofa.  He stared at her, and she stared at him.  There was nothing left to do.

“It’s not a nice day out there,” said Nick.  “It might even rain.”

“Do we need rain gear?” asked Jo.

“Nah,” said Nick.  “I’m don’t bother with it.  If it rains, I’ll just stop, and we can come below.”  He paused, then said, “I’m sure we could find something to do to occupy ourselves ‘til the sun comes back out.”

Jo laughed.  “I’ll just start my rain dance then, shall I?”

“Come here.”

Jo stood up, but her stomach stayed on the couch.  The look on Nick’s face was…

“Do you ever braid your hair?”

Jo reached her hand up self-consciously to her hair.  It was wet from the shower and pulled back in an elastic.  “I can’t do it myself,” she admitted.  “It always skews off to the side.  I look like I’m turning my head to talk to someone.”

“Let me do it,” said Nick.  He held up his hands and waggled his fingers.  “These are pretty nimble,” he said.

“Don’t I know it,” said Jo, under her breath.  Only it wasn’t really under her breath, which she realized when Nick burst out laughing.

Another fifteen minutes ticked slowly by, as Nick stood behind Jo and ran his fingers through her hair, giving her the most thrilling quarter hour of her life that wasn’t horizontal.  And it might have led to something horizontal if Nick’s phone hadn’t rung.

Nick stopped massaging Jo’s neck and grabbed the phone.  “Hello…Bernie?” 

Jo waited, her hands at her mouth in prayer.

“Yeah…okay…yeah, sure…bye.”  Nick disconnected and looked at Jo.  “That was Pete,” he said.  “He was just checking in.”  Nick looked at the phone.  “I wonder how he knew the number.  I didn’t give it to him.”

They thought about that for a moment.

“I guess he got it the other night,” said Jo.  “When I used your phone to call him.”

“I guess,” said Nick. 

He thought about that.  So if Pete knew it was Nick’s number…Nick tried to decide if there was anything sinister in that.  Did it matter when Pete knew that Jo had come to Nick?  And maybe he didn’t know that night.  Maybe he only guessed after he found out that Jo was on the Lenore.  Maybe he figured it out.  It wouldn’t take an Einstein to do that.  Obviously, she had called from somewhere.  Obviously, it wasn’t a hotel, since she didn’t actually go to one.

Jo sat and watched Nick turn it over in his head and come down on Pete’s side once again.  It saddened her, and she wondered if it should make her scared as well.

Nick blinked and looked up.  “So,” he said, “are we ready to get started?”
Chapter 36 by old_archive
Okay, Pete said to himself, let’s pretend I’m a cop in Fayetteville.  I got a body, dead for awhile.  I got a suspect, the boyfriend.  Except the boyfriend wasn’t around when the girl was killed.  Or was he? 

Pete considered the ‘proof’ he had to exonerate himself.  He had a bunch of witnesses to testify that Pete had not seemed nervous or scared that first day.  The marina guy, the grocery guy, the waiter, the 7-11 guys, Nick and Jo.  Of course, the last two wouldn’t be testifying to anything.

Pete went over his story in his head.  He had received a phone call from Mickey the night before they left.  She had misplaced her wallet with all her I.D.  Pete had called her and left her a message saying ‘don’t worry about it, it’s probably at the restaurant, we’ll get it on the way out the next day’.

The next day, however, he got another message, saying that Mickey had some unfinished work at the office and that she would drive down to the boat when she was done, that he should pick up Jo and go get everything set up.  He answered that one, leaving another message reflecting her words.

“Don’t you ever answer your phone, Mr. Crofton?”  Pete could hear the detective’s words.

I was in the shower. 

No wait, that was too abrupt, made it seem like he’d been planning the answer.  Better just to stare at the guy like you don’t know what he’s talking about. 

“Well, you and Ms. Lassiter seemed to play a lot of phone tag…all these messages but you never actually talk.”

What would work best?  A shrug.  It happens to everyone.  No big deal.

Yeah, that was it.  Don’t make a big deal of it.  And it does happen to everyone, right?  ‘Cause the next person that it happened to was Jo, who left the message while they were on the road. 

But don’t bring that up.  If they’ve ‘found’ the cell phone at this point, let them bring that up.  And don’t insist that you finally got to speak to her.  Make them ask.

“So, did you ever get to speak to Ms. Lassiter?”

Pete figured the first thing he had to find out was when Mickey’s body had been found.  He figured it couldn’t have been the first day.  Even without I.D., it shouldn’t take a week to find out who she was.  And, as of this morning, her mother had not known she was missing.  So Pete would be safe in saying that she had called him while they were at the restaurant in Calabash.  Nick and Jo wouldn’t be witnesses any longer, but the waiter might remember if his memory was jogged.  Pete wouldn’t suggest it, of course.  Let the cops figure it out.  He would simply say that she had called him and told him that she would meet him in Charleston.

Now, wait a minute, do I even have to say that?  That’s the story I told Nick and Jo, but if they’re not around…

Pete watched Jo walk back from the shower.  She stopped at the Lenore and looked at the suitcase.  Then she looked over at the Sunset Voyager.  Pete didn’t think she could see him, but he eased back into the shadow anyway.  Jo picked up the suitcase and boarded the Lenore.

Okay, think, said Pete, going back to his reflections.  He’d taken a chance the next night, placing one more call on Mickey’s cell phone.  So he had that phone call to explain.  Okay, so the first night she says she’ll meet him in Charleston, and the second night she dumps him. 

Yeah, that squares with the fact that Mickey’s boss would say that she wasn’t working, that she was supposedly gone on vacation with Pete.  Let it be Mickey who lied, not Pete.

But what about all the people who would testify that Mickey would never do something like that, that she and Pete were deliriously happy, Pete was going to propose on the boat trip…

No, back that up…wait a minute…

Pete thought hard.  Had he told anyone but Nick that he was planning on proposing?  No…he didn’t think so.  Okay, then, he wasn’t planning on proposing.  He was planning on…healing… yeah, that was it.  He thought Mickey was getting a little distant, and he thought that this trip together, just the two of them, would help fix things.

Pete went over it again in his head.  Then he nodded, satisfied that it made sense.  And if, by some chance, Mickey had mentioned anything to anyone else, any suspicions or dissatisfaction about Pete, then it would reinforce his tale of woe.

Good, good.  So he had to play the ‘confused but still hanging in there’ boyfriend.  He had to make sure they couldn’t ratchet that up to ‘angry and looking for revenge’.

After the second night, it didn’t matter.  He hadn’t received any more communications from Mickey.  He hadn’t left any messages either. 

“Why not, Mr. Crofton?  Didn’t you want her back?”

Pete thought about his answer.  Finally, he decided on, “I didn’t want to beg her over the phone.  I wanted to get the boat to Florida and go home and try face-to-face.”

“Did Ms. Miles agree with you?”

This was tricky ground.  Of course, he could say whatever he liked about Jo.  But what would that be? 

“Um…well…Jo was upset when she found out Mickey wasn’t coming, but…I mean, she…she didn’t seem all that surprised, so maybe she knew something I didn’t…and she wasn’t all that worried…she never said anything to me…maybe she did to that guy…that Nick Carter that she went off with…”

Yeah, that was good.  Make Jo seem so unworried about Mickey that she doesn’t even call her, just takes off to have an affair with the guy that Mickey has been in love with for years.  Yeah, that was good.  It made both women look a little unstable.

And speaking of Mr. Carter, Pete could see him walking down the dock to the Lenore.  Okay, show time.  Pete climbed to the bridge after Nick disappeared onto the boat.  He checked that he had all his charts and the cooler.  He opened the map compartment and touched the gun.  Now he just had to wait it out.  He couldn’t leave the bridge until he saw what they would do.

He looked around the harbor.  This was such a pretty place.  He might come back here some day.  Some day when he had his own boat.  Pete spent fifteen minutes imagining the boat he was going to buy once he got out of his present situation.  Then he came back to reality.  There was still no action on the Lenore.  Pete wondered if they were fucking again.  He laughed and picked up his cell phone and called Nick’s number.  If they were, then they were about to experience coitus interruptus.

Pete hung up the phone after a few seconds of conversation.  He smiled to himself.  He didn’t think he’d interrupted anything intimate.  So, that meant he had to be even more vigilant.  And he was right to be so because it wasn’t long before he saw Nick and Jo come up from below and start untying the lines.  Pete went below and hid while he watched the other boat depart.  He waited until they were just out of sight, and then he started the engines.  He followed them slowly, determined not to lose them this time.

Pete looked at his watch.  Nick had said he hadn’t heard from Bernie.  Pete knew Nick wouldn’t want to go out of phone range so he was probably just heading out slowly.  Pete would do the same.

Pete peered out carefully.  There was no sunshine.  The day was overcast and grey.  There was even a bit of fog.  That was good, and that was bad.  It would make it harder to keep an eye on the Lenore.  But it would also make it harder for Nick to spot the Sunset Voyager.

Pete followed the other boat until he saw it stop.  Then he pulled his boat over and moored it in the shelter of an island.  He lowered his dinghy from the back of the boat into the water and paddled it to the island.  He pulled it up on shore and crept through the trees until he could see the Lenore.  Then he crouched down and waited.

While he sat there, hoping that it didn’t start to rain, Pete went over his story in his head one more time until he was sure he had all the details straight.  He was the innocent boyfriend who wasn’t even around when the terrible accident had taken place.  He was miles away on a boat not acting nervous or scared.  He had lots of witnesses, including the tragic couple Nick and Jo who were so unconcerned that they’d gone off together. 

Of course, Pete told himself, he would only dole out the story as he was asked for it.  He’d learned that in his many interviews with Randy Atkins, the cop from Florida.  Don’t roll out the whole story at once.  Let them get it out of you detail by detail.  Never tell them something they don’t already know if you can help it.

Pete knew he had to find out what they knew, and he knew he could get it from Nick.  Then he just had to tailor the story and find some way to plant the phone.

Randy Atkins. 

Thoughts of the detective led Pete to thoughts of George Hannaford.  Pete knew that Mickey had found out about Margie.  He wondered if the Fayetteville police would too.  If they had, Pete knew he would be the number one suspect and would be put under a microscope.  He might even be arrested and brought to trial.  But it wouldn’t matter, he knew.  If they couldn’t pinpoint the time of death to the night before he left, he was in the clear.  There was definite reasonable doubt.  He had all his witnesses to show his whereabouts and his demeanor.

Witnesses…

Something scratched at the back of Pete’s brain.  Witnesses…

As he tried to grasp the thought, he noticed movement on the Lenore.  Nick was standing on the back deck talking into a cell phone.  He had his arm around Jo, and they were swaying back and forth.  It didn’t look like good news.

Pete raced back to the dinghy and paddled quickly back to the Sunset Voyager.  He tied the dinghy to the back of the boat, not bothering to winch it up.  He didn’t have time and he figured that they might not even notice that it was there.  And if they did, who cared.

Pete climbed to the bridge and started the engine.  He moved the boat out into the channel and as he did, he suddenly realized that he’d fucked everything up completely. 

Witnesses! 

Pete had only concerned himself with witnesses after the event.  He forgot about the witnesses before.  He forgot about the waiters and the other patrons in the restaurant where he and Mickey had had dinner.  And what about her clothes?  She would be wearing the same clothes.  Damn!  It wasn’t going to take a medical examiner to determine the time of death.  It was going to be obvious that she died in that stairwell the night of the dinner.

Panic rose up and washed over Pete.  He tried to push it back down as he rounded the bend in the waterway and came up on the Lenore

Go over it again, he told himself.  Okay, Mickey left something at the restaurant and went back for it.  She fell down the stairs and died.

Now, work with that. 

They had dinner, and Mickey told him that she had to work the next day.  They went back to her apartment and got her luggage.  And took it to his place.  Then she remembered that she had forgotten to get something from the restaurant and said she’d get it on the way home.

Pete reflected on that scenario.  Then he reworked it.

They had taken his car to the restaurant.  Yeah, that was better.  They’d taken his car.  No one saw them.  He was pretty sure of that.  Okay, so they ate dinner, and Mickey told him that she had to work the next day.  They went to her apartment and got her luggage.  Pete put it in his car and said goodbye.  Then she phoned him from her cell phone...to his land line.  He would have proof of that on his phone records.  She told him that she’d left something at the restaurant and she was going to go back for it.  He told her not to bother, they could get it in the morning.

No!  That wouldn’t work!  Not if he already had the luggage. 

Think!!

Pete could feel himself sweating.  He was close to the Lenore.  He could see that Jo was crying.  Okay, this was it, time for his game face.  He’d figure out the scenario later.  But he knew one thing for sure.

The cell phone had to go. 

What he had thought was going to provide him with the perfect alibi could now be used to hang him.  No, the cell phone had to go.
Chapter 37 by old_archive
Nick and Jo rode together on the bridge, but they didn’t talk to each other.  Nick followed the charts, and Jo stared off the side at the passing scenery.  She fingered the end of her braid nervously as she tried to quell the fear in her stomach…the fear that she had been right, that Mickey was dead.

Jo had almost convinced herself that maybe Nick was right, that Mickey had got sick of Pete and  just decided not to come on the trip.  She knew in her heart that it couldn’t be true, that Mickey would never have let Jo go on alone, but still she hoped.  Pete’s admission that he had called Mickey’s mother killed that hope.  Nick might have been fooled by the look in Pete’s eye.  Jo wasn’t.  She’d seen enough of his lies to know that he was lying now.

Every few minutes, Nick would flip open his phone and check for a signal.  Each time he did it, the knot in Jo’s stomach got a little tighter.

Finally, Nick said, “I think we’d better stop here for a bit.  We don’t want to lose the signal.”

As they had moved along, Jo had checked over her shoulder for any sign of the Sunset Voyager.  Once or twice, she thought she’d seen it, but it hadn’t come any closer.  She figured if Pete was back there, he’d catch up with them now.

Nick turned off the engine and then dropped the anchor.  He asked Jo if she wanted some water.  She said no, and they settled into an uneasy silence.  Then Jo went below to use the washroom and when she came back, Nick went down.  When he came up, Jo was on the back deck.  Nick’s phone sat on the leather bench at the back.

They made meaningless conversation that came in fits and starts.  The atmosphere grew more oppressive until finally, Jo could stand it no longer.

“What time is it?” she asked.

Nick looked at his watch.  “11:40.  That’d be 8:40 on the coast.  Bernie might be in his office.  Do you want me to call him?”

Jo nodded.  “I can’t take it any more,” she said.

Bernie was in his office.  He was pacing up and down in front of his desk trying to figure out the best way to give Nick the bad news.  He still hadn’t figured that out when his phone rang.

Neither man bothered to pass the time of day.  Nick said, “Hey, Bernie!  What’s the word?”

Bernie gave him the word.  And the word was ‘death’.  Bernie told him that a body had been found in a parking garage stairwell four days ago.  There had been no identification but there had been a substantial amount of money in the purse.  It looked like the woman had fallen down the stairs.  The police didn’t make it a top priority because no one had reported her missing.  Bernie’s report yesterday had helped the police to identify the body as that of Michelle Lassiter.  The police were treating the death as accidental unless other information was brought to their attention to change their opinion.  There were no signs of a struggle.

Nick said ‘thanks’ and ‘keep me posted’ and hung up.

As soon as the word ‘dead’ had been mentioned, Nick had reached for Jo and held her tight in his arm as he listened to Bernie speak.  Then he flipped the phone shut.

Jo looked up at him.  “Mickey?” she whispered.

Nick nodded.  “I’m sorry, Jo.”

All the strength went out of Jo’s limbs, and she crumpled against him.  Nick held her up while she sobbed into his chest. 

“No, no, no…”

Jo repeated it over and over.  It was what she was expecting, but she still couldn’t take it in.  Mickey was gone.

After a few moments, she straightened up.  She swiped at her face with her hands.  She managed to choke out one word.

“How?”

“She fell down the stairs in a parking garage.  She broke her neck.”

“You mean she was pushed,” said Jo.  “Pete pushed her.”

Nick sighed.  “Maybe he did, Jo.  I don’t know.  The police don’t know either.  They won’t know that, I guess, until you go back and tell them.”

“You mean they’re not looking for him.”

“They’ve only just identified her,” said Nick.  “I guess they haven’t had time yet to…:

“Give me the phone,” said Jo.  “I’ll set them straight.  I’ll tell them who to look at.”

“I don’t think you have to worry about that,” said Nick.  “Bernie will tell them everything I’ve told him.  They’ll look into Pete, for sure.”

“Are you going to tell him?” asked Jo.

“I don’t know,” said Nick.  “I said I would.  I said I’d call him.  But I don’t know.  I guess I’d like to see his face when I tell him.  Maybe that way I’d know…”

Jo jerked her head and pointed over the back of the boat.  “Well, it looks like you’re going to get your chance.  Here he comes.”

Nick turned in the direction of Jo’s outstretched arm.  Coming up on them was the Sunset Voyager.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peter Crofton couldn’t seem to make his brain work.  The revelation that his complicated plan wasn’t going to work had made it difficult for him to think.  All he could think about was the cell phone hidden in the laundry bag.  He wanted to get that out and smash it to bits and then drop the pieces one by one into the waterway miles apart from each other.  Then he’d work out a story to match the facts.

But first, he had to deal with Nick and Jo.

Pete pulled his boat as close to the Lenore as he could.  Then he dropped the anchor and went down to the back deck.  He threw a rope over to Nick, who caught it.  Nick looped it around his railing and tied a loose knot.  He fiddled with it a bit longer than necessary, waiting for one of the others to speak.  Neither did.

Finally Nick looked up at Pete.  The other man stared at him.  Nick tried to read the look on his face.  It was fear, Nick decided, but he couldn’t decide if it was the fear of hearing bad news or the fear of being caught.

Nick grimaced and spread his hands, telling Pete the bad news without words.

Pete didn’t move for a few seconds while he digested the words.  Then he shook his head the tiniest bit and whispered, "No."

“I’m sorry, Pete,” said Nick.  “I just talked to Bernie.”

“No,” murmured Pete, “no, no…”

From behind him, Nick heard a snort of disgust.

“She fell,” said Nick, “down some stairs…in a parking garage.”

“When?” asked Pete.  He put on a bewildered face.

“They don’t really know,” replied Nick.  “They found her a couple of days ago, but she didn’t have any I.D. on her.”

“Why not?” asked Pete. 

It was a good question, he thought, and he’d asked it to hide his glee at finding out that Mickey hadn’t been found right away.  Then he remembered that it didn’t matter any more, that they would be able to pinpoint the night she died.  That thought made him frown.

Nick shrugged.  He didn’t know.  He gave the rest of the details to Pete.  He watched the other man’s face carefully, trying to read his expression and reaction.  Nick could see that Pete was shocked and very much affected by the news, but he couldn’t tell if it was horror or guilt, shock or remorse. 

Nick finished speaking and wait,ed for Pete to say something.  Pete stood there for a few seconds, and then he whispered, “Mickey.  Oh, Mickey.”

“Nice try, Pete,” said Jo, coldly. 

Pete blinked and looked at her, almost as if he’d forgotten she was there.  “Jo…” he said.  There was pleading in his voice.  Nick didn’t know how to interpret it. 

“I’m going to make sure you pay for this,” said Jo.  “You murderer!”

Pete’s eyes widened, and he shook his head.  Then he turned to Nick.  “I never hurt her.  I didn’t.  I never touched her.  I loved that girl.”

The words hit Nick like a blow.  They were reminiscent of the words he’d said after being falsely accused by the press of hitting Paris and blackening her eye.  The horror of those days washed over him.

Pete backed up to the bench at the back of his deck and sat down.  He put his head in his hands.  His mind was scrambling to find something to say.  He’d thrown Nick off guard with that last comment.  Pete knew that for sure.  He almost smiled.  Mickey and her obsession with Paris Hilton! Pete wouldn’t have been surprised if Mickey had put out a contract on the blonde slut.  And when the picture appeared of Paris with bruises and she didn’t deny that Nick had done it, Pete had had to forcibly restrain Mickey from hunting the girl down herself!  Pete guessed Mickey had shown him the clip of Nick denying it at least a dozen times.  Pete was glad now that she had.

The silence became oppressive.  Nick didn’t know what to do.  Should he say, ‘okay, then, so Pete, your woman is dead, I guess you’ll be wanting to move along.  See ya!’?  Should he phone Bernie back and tell him to send the police to get Pete?  Should he call the Coast Guard and tell them to come and get them all and let some higher authority figure it out.  Nick wished one of the others would say something.

“You fucking asshole!”

It was Jo who spoke.  Pete looked up at her and shook his head sadly.

“You make me sick!” hissed Jo, and she turned and went below.

Pete looked at Nick.  “Poor Jo,” he said.  “She and Mickey were…”  He didn’t finish the sentence, just shook his head again.

Nick nodded but said nothing.

The silence continued for another minute, and then Nick could stand it no longer.

“So what do you think you’ll do now?” he asked.

“I don’t know,” said Pete.  “I have to get back to Fayetteville.  But I have to deliver the boat first.  And I think that would be the fastest way anyway.  I’ll take the boat to Fort Lauderdale and then fly home.”  He paused.  “I guess…I don’t know…what do you think I should do?”

Nick shrugged and shook his head.  “I don’t know.  That sounds like a plan.  You might want to call Mickey’s mom again.  Maybe she can tell you the…you know…details…the plans.”

Pete nodded.  “Yeah…yeah, I should do that.”  He calculated mentally for a moment and then said in a distracted voice, “Yeah, I guess I could make it to Fort Lauderdale by tomorrow night.  Yeah…I could do that.”

Nick nodded.  “Maybe that would be the best thing, then.”

There was another small silence and then Pete looked down at his feet and said, “I just feel so guilty.”

“Oh?” said Nick, wondering if there was a confession coming.

Pete raised his head and looked at Nick.  Then he fooled the young, blond man for the last time.  “You know, because I thought she’d dumped me.  I thought she was off with another man and really, she was…I feel awful.”

He reached out and untied the rope from the railing of the Lenore.  “Awful,” he repeated, “I feel awful.”  He pushed on the boat, and the Sunset Voyager started to drift away.

A sound made both men look up.  Standing on the front deck of the Sunset Voyager was Jo.  She had a panicked look on her face and a cell phone in her hand.
Chapter 38 by old_archive
Jordana Miles had decided it was time to become a woman of action.  She’d had enough of being the weak, little woman, waiting on the two men to figure things out.  Nick was hopeless, she decided.  He was under Pete’s spell.  It didn’t matter how much logic she placed before him, he always succumbed to Pete’s charming words.  Although, Jo admitted to herself, she hadn’t placed all that much logic before Nick.  It had mostly been hysterical accusations and emotional rhetoric.

Even so, Jo knew that Pete had killed Mickey, and she was going to prove it.  There had to be something on the Sunset Voyager.  There had to be…some kind of ace-up-his-sleeve.  Pete was way too unconcerned about Jo’s accusations.  He was going to pull a rabbit out of the hat, Jo was sure of it.

She listened as the voices of the men punctuated the silence occasionally.  Screw this! she decided.  I’m not hiding out here like a bad, little girl sent to her room.

Jo crept up the hallway to Nick’s bedroom.  She unlocked the hatch cover over the bed and quietly climbed out.  She peered around the corner of the cabin, but Nick and Pete weren’t paying any attention to her.  She climbed quietly over the rail and onto Pete’s boat.  Then she crouched there, out of sight and counted slowly to thirty. 

Neither of the men seemed to have noticed any movement on either boat, so Jo moved quietly to the hatch cover over Pete’s bedroom.  She knew that it was unlocked.  Pete had told her that when he gave her the initial tour of the boat.  Fire exit, he had said.  Jo opened it carefully and slipped quietly down onto Pete’s bed.

Pete’s fastidious habits made it easy for Jo to search his bedroom.  She found nothing.  All his clothes were hung up neatly in the closet or folded in the drawers.  Jo went quickly through them, but there was nothing but clothing.  She wasn’t even sure what it was she was looking for.  She just hoped she recognized it when she found it.

A quick perusal of the medicine cabinet in the bathroom provided no clues.  Jo hadn’t figured to find any; there hadn’t been anything out of the ordinary there when she’d been on board.  She crept silently into the living area and looked around.  Think! she told herself.  You don’t have much time.

Jo looked at the kitchen cupboards and the drawers in the living room.  No, she’d had access to all of that when she was on board.  Except one, she remembered.  The locked cupboard in the kitchen.  That’s right!  Pete had said that it was locked, but he didn’t have a key, and he didn’t know what was in there.

Jo stepped over to the cupboard.  She tugged on the handle, not expecting anything to happen.  The door opened with a tiny squeak.  Jo froze and turned her head to the stairs.  No one appeared.  She eased the cupboard door open another fraction of an inch and peered inside.  The cupboard was empty.

Shit!

Jo thought for a moment.  Okay, the cupboard was locked before, and now it wasn’t.  So it could only have been Pete who opened it…Pete who said he didn’t have a key.  So Pete lied about that.  Not a big surprise, considered Jo, Pete lied about everything.

Jo tried to concentrate.  She guessed that something must have been in the cupboard, something Pete didn’t want her to know about.  And once she left the boat, he felt safe bringing it out.  She looked around again.

Jo knew time was running out.  She had to get back to the Lenore.  She went back to Pete’s bedroom and climbed on the bed, preparing to hoist herself up through the hatch.  Her eye took in the laundry bag, sitting on the floor by the dresser.

Did she have time? 

Jo decided she’d have to make time.  She dropped back onto the bed and rolled over to the edge.  She grabbed the laundry bag and bunched it in her hands, squeezing it in various spots, trying to feel if there was anything hidden in there.  She couldn’t feel anything, but still, there might be something.

Jo upended the bag and shook the dirty clothes out onto the bed.  She didn’t care if Pete knew she was in there after she was long gone.  Let him sweat it out!  Jo rummaged frantically through the dirty clothes and then she felt it!  Something hard!

Jo grabbed it out and recognized it immediately as Mickey’s cell phone.  She closed her eyes and held the phone to her chest, saying a prayer of thanks.  She shoved the phone down her shirt and climbed back onto the bed.  She hoisted herself through the hatch onto the deck.  Almost there!

Jo pulled the cell phone from her shirt and turned to climb onto the Lenore.  She uttered a cry of dismay when she saw that the Lenore was several feet away and moving further away every second.  She turned to look at the back deck.  Nick stared at her, frozen in place.

Jo swiveled her eyes and craned her head to look at the back deck of the Sunset Voyager.  Staring back at her was Peter Crofton, a look of surprise in his eyes which quickly turned to hatred.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The three of them stood, frozen in a tableau.  Pete moved first.  He jumped up onto the gunwale and headed for Jo.

Nick moved a split second later, racing up the side of the Lenore.  “Jo,” he called out, “jump!”

But Jo didn’t jump into the water.  Instead, she waited, watching both men approach.  “Catch this, Nick!” she cried, and she tossed the cell phone high in the air, lobbing it over to the Lenore.

Nick reached out with his hand to catch the phone.  He bobbled it once or twice and then got a firm grip on it.

Pete had stopped moving, watching the cell phone sail through the air.  He prayed that Nick would drop it, that he wouldn’t make the catch.  When he did, Pete moved again, racing toward Jo.

Jo watched the phone arc towards the Lenore.  She saw Nick reach out his hand, and after she was satisfied that he had it, she put her hands on the railing, preparing to jump over it and into the water.

She wasn’t fast enough.  She had one leg over when she felt a hand close around her arm.

“Oh, no, you don’t!” hissed Pete. 

He grabbed Jo by the arm and jerked her to the far side of the boat.  He moved down the other gunwale, dragging her behind him.  He pulled her onto the back deck and threw her to the floor.  He looked over at the Lenore which was now twenty feet away and still anchored.  The Sunset Voyager was drifting freely.

“Give me the cell phone,” Pete yelled at Nick, who had made his way to his own back deck and was watching helplessly as the Sunset Voyager moved further away from him.

“Don’t do it,” screamed Jo, “it proves he’s guilty.”

Pete wheeled around and raised his hand.  Jo covered her head with her hands, certain she was about to be hit hard.  But Pete merely pointed at her and said to Nick, “She’s wrong.  I’m not guilty.”

But Pete had run out of charm.  Nick didn’t believe him.  He’d seen the way Pete had grabbed Jo. And he’d seen the cell phone.  It had to be Mickey’s.  Nick knew that because his own face was staring up at him from the faceplate of the phone.  And if this was Mickey’s phone…then everything Pete had said was a lie.

Pete could see that Nick was done believing his story.  He grabbed Jo by the arm and pulled her to her feet.  He pushed her toward the ladder leading to the bridge and forced her up.  Then he followed her.

At the top, Jo tried to kick out at Pete and force him off the ladder, but he was ready for her.  He grabbed her foot and pushed hard, and Jo fell backwards against the captain’s chair.  Pete climbed the last two steps quickly and ran to the compartment where the gun lay.

“Freeze!” he called out to Jo who was crouched on her toes ready to spring at him.  “You too!” he yelled, swinging the gun around to Nick who had raced up the ladder to his own bridge.

Nick continued moving, running to the helm and hitting the button that raised the anchor.  He froze only when a shot rang out.  Nick heard Jo scream and glass breaking.  Nick stopped moving. He looked over at the Sunset Voyager and slowly raised his hands.

“That was your window,” called Pete.  “The next one goes into your gas tank.”

Once again, the three were frozen, all trying to force their brain to overcome the rush of adrenalin and allow them to think again.

The ‘chunk’ sound of the anchor coming to rest in the bottom of the Lenore woke them up.  The boat immediately started drifting toward the Sunset Voyager.  Pete turned and pointed the gun at Jo’s head.

“Drop anchor,” he yelled to Nick, “or I’ll kill her.”

“Don’t do it,” screamed Jo, rising to her feet, “Get out of here.”

Pete grabbed Jo by the braid in her hair and pulled her back down.  He leaned over and put the muzzle of the gun to her throat.  He leaned in close to her face and snarled at her.  “Listen you, you have been a thorn in my side since the beginning.  It would give me the greatest pleasure to blow your fucking head off, so just keep it up, you bitch.  Just keep it up.”

Then Pete stood up and pulled Jo up by her arm.  He put her in front of him, his left arm around her holding her close, his right arm holding the gun at her temple.  “Drop anchor!” he called again.

On the Lenore, Nick reached out and hit the button.  The whirring sound of the anchor chain lowering wasn’t audible on the Sunset Voyager, but Pete knew by the look on Nick’s face that he had obeyed Pete’s command.

Still holding onto Jo, Pete backed up to the helm.  He picked up the radio handset and clicked the button.  He held it in the air, telling Nick to pick up his own handset.  Nick turned the dial to channel 8 and picked up the mike.

“Give me the cell phone,” said Pete.

“Not until you give me Jo,” said Nick.

Pete was surprised at how calm Nick’s voice was.  So was Nick.

“Okay, keep the cell phone,” replied Pete.  “I’d rather kill her anyway.”

“No, wait,” cried Nick.  He took a couple of deep breaths and then said, “I’ll trade you.”

Like they were talking about baseball cards.

There was a long silence as both men considered the deal.  Finally, Pete nodded.

“Do exactly as I say, and you’ll get her back alive.  Make one false move, and she’s dead.  Do you understand me?”

Nick nodded and then pushed the button on the handset.  “Yeah, I understand.”

“Stay where you are, and put your hands on your head,” ordered Pete. 

When Nick complied, Pete forced Jo up and made her go down the ladder.  “Open it,” he commanded, motioning to the bench on the back deck.

Jo pulled off the cushions and lifted the board. 

“Gimme those,” said Pete, pointing to a bag of bungee cords, stretchy elastic ropes with hooks on either end.

Jo reached in and pulled out the bag, desperately trying to figure a way to use them as a weapon.  She couldn’t find one, and even if she had been able to puzzle out a solution, she wasn’t sure she was brave enough to try it.  Pete’s hatred of her was so evident, so visceral that she knew that killing her would give him a lot of pleasure.  Jo hoped that his survival instinct would override that desire for pleasure long enough for her to figure out a way to escape.  Or to kill him.  She didn’t really care which.

Pete made Jo go back up to the bridge, and then he used the bungee cords to tie her hands and feet and anchor her to the railing in two different spots.  Jo knew there was nothing she could do to loosen the bonds so she saved her energy for a future opportunity.

Pete picked up the handset.  “Now listen to me,” he said, “you will do exactly what I tell you.  I want you to follow the course I set for you…exactly…don’t move a hair off the course I give you.  You will go at exactly eight knots…no faster, no slower…do you understand?”

“Where am I going?” asked Nick.

“You’ll find out when you get there,” replied Pete.  “Now, do you understand?”

“Yeah,” said Nick, “I understand.”

Pete gave orders to Nick.  Nick looked down at his chart and then spoke into the microphone, telling Pete that he understood the directions.  Then he started the engines on the Lenore and pushed the throttle slowly forward.
Chapter 39 by old_archive
Nick stood at the helm of the Lenore and prayed.  He prayed for strength, for guidance and for a way out of the mess he was in.

He followed the course that Pete had set, moving slowly up the Waterway.  The fog had lifted, but it was a damp, chilly day, and there weren’t many boats out.  Besides, Nick wasn’t sure how he could signal anyone without Pete seeing.  Pete had told him to keep both hands on the wheel at all times.

The Sunset Voyager was close behind Nick and a little to the right.  The occasional glance over his right shoulder showed Nick that Pete was watching him.  Nick wondered if he could somehow switch the radio to the emergency channel and send out a Mayday call.

Nick looked down at the charts.  Ironically, the course Pete had set him would take Nick back to Jekyll Island, where he and Jo had hidden out the day before.  Nick remembered how isolated it was, and it didn’t comfort him.

Nick began to make small movements.  He reached over to adjust the chart.  Then he put his hands back on the wheel and didn’t do anything for an entire mile.  Then he bent down quickly and grabbed a bottle of water.  He was back up at the helm and twisting the top off the bottle when the radio squawked.

“Don’t do that again.  Keep your hands on the wheel.”

Nick looked over his shoulder at Pete and waved the water bottle.  He shrugged and took a long swallow.  Then he placed the bottle carefully in the holder beside the wheel.  Every minute or so, he reached out and took a sip of water.

A mile later on, he let go of the wheel and raised his arms over his head.  He swiveled his neck in a deep stretch, then moved his arms out to his side and down.  Then he put his hands back on the wheel.  His cell phone was now out of his pocket and sitting on the captain’s chair behind him.

After another mile, he picked up the handset.  “I’m going to sit down,” he said.

“Fine,” said Pete, “just don’t try anything funny.”

“Such as…?” queried Nick, with more bravado than he felt.

He reached down and pulled the lever that let the captain’s chair slide up to the wheel.  He locked the chair in place and sat down.  He put his hands on the wheel.  His cell phone was now in his lap.

Over the next mile, Nick lifted his hands from the wheel constantly.  He used one to smooth out the chart.  Then he drank some more water.  Then he ran a hand through his hair.  Then he dialed 911. 

Nick tried not to look down at the phone.  He looked at the shoreline.  He looked at the chart.  He looked at the Sunset Voyager.  He looked at the phone.

No connection.

Shit!  They were in the Dead Zone.

Okay, thought Nick, so be it!  But we’ll be out of it soon, and then I’ll just have to hit redial to get help. 

A few more hand movements and the cell phone was back in his pocket.

They were approaching Jekyll Island.  This was as far as Pete had given instructions.  Nick throttled back to idle and sat in the middle of the Waterway.   The Sunset Voyager came up along side. 

“Keep going,” shouted Pete.

“Where to?” called Nick.

“Go through this bay and then into the Cumberland River.  That’s the main Waterway route.  Do you see that?”

Nick looked at the chart and then nodded at Pete.

“Head towards Cabin Bluff,” said Pete. 

Nick checked his chart.  There wasn’t much in the way of civilization between the opening of the river and the town of Cabin Bluff.  At that town, the river bent and there was even less population between there and the Crooked River.  Below that was the King’s Bay Naval Sub Base so there might be some patrol boats or something out there.  Nick knew Pete wasn’t stupid.  He knew as well as Nick what was on the chart.  No, Nick figured whatever Pete was planning, he would do it between Cabin Bluff and the Crooked River.  Nick looked at the map again.  Maybe at Delaroche Creek.  That was the only river in the area south of Cabin Bluff large enough to take their boats.

Nick looked up at the sky.  He figured by the time they got wherever they were going, it would be getting dark.  The knowledge did not comfort him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nick was right not to be comforted.  Pete planned to get them to an isolated part of the river.  Then he was going to kill them and sink the Lenore.  He looked over his shoulder at Jo.

“What are you looking at, Asshole?” she sneered.

“I was going to offer you something to eat,” said Pete, amiably, “but I can see you’re all tied up at the moment.”  

“Fuck you,” said Jo.

Pete began to laugh.  Poor Jo.  Feisty to the last.  He chuckled to himself and looked over at the Lenore.  Nick was continuing to behave himself.  Pete sure hoped that Nick and Jo had bonded over the last couple of days.  If the Backstreet Boy was smart, he’d push that throttle forward and take off.  Pete knew that, and so did Jo.  Pete wondered if Nick knew that he wasn’t going to save Jo.  He was going to end up dead as well.

After Pete gave Nick the latest set of instructions, he got himself a sandwich from the cooler and turned his thoughts to his predicament with the Fayetteville police and Mickey’s body.

“I hope you choke,” snarled Jo.

Pete turned on her.  “What are you trying to do, Jo?  Make me so mad I’ll kill you now.  Why?  So that Nicky Boy can get away?  It isn’t going to happen so why don’t you just SHUT THE FUCK UP!!” Pete screamed the last words into her face.

Jo pushed herself back into the bench as far as she could.  Just past Pete’s angry face, Jo could see Nick turn and look at them.  He held up a cell phone and nodded at her.  He rolled his finger in a circle, as if to say, ‘keep going’.

Pete followed her gaze and turned to the Lenore.  But all he saw was the back of Nick’s head and his hands on the wheel.

Jo tried frantically to think of something to say that would get Pete to talk to her and look at her but not make him so mad he’d hurt her.

“You’re not going to get away with it,” she said finally, trying to keep her voice steady.

Pete turned and sneered at her.

“You’re not as smart as you think you are,” continued Jo.  “I’m sure you’ve made a mistake.  There’ll be some kind of proof back home.”

Pete pointed the gun at her.  “Well, you’re never going to know, are you?”

Then Pete stopped talking.  He cocked his head to one side and stared at Jo.  Suddenly, the corner of his mouth turned up in a sneer.  Then he put his head back and laughed out loud.  “You know what, Jo?  I am going to get away with it.  Want to know why?”

Jo didn’t know what she’d said or done, but somehow she’d given Pete an idea.  And it wasn’t a good one for her, she could see that.  Jo wanted to look past Pete to see what Nick was doing, but the dark-haired man blocked her view.  She didn’t want to obviously look past Pete.  She didn’t want him to turn around.

“Sure, Pete, tell me why,” she said.

“Because I didn’t kill her,” said Pete, “you did.”

“What?” Jo was dumbfounded.  “What are you talking about?”

Pete laughed.  It was an evil sound.  “Yeah, Jo.  You killed her.  Not me.  Now shut up.  I’m thinking.”

Pete turned back to the wheel.  He looked over at the Lenore.  Nick still stood at the helm.  He only had one hand on the wheel.  Pete reached for the radio handset to tell him to get both hands on the wheel, but before he could, Nick brought his left hand up and scratched his head and then placed it on the wheel.  Pete put the handset back.

Jo killed Mickey. 

Pete smiled to himself.  Yeah, that was the ticket.  Jo killed Mickey.  Turn the scenario around and make Jo the villain.

Pete ran over the story in his head.  He took Mickey out to dinner.  Mickey told him that she wasn’t sure she wanted Jo to go along on the trip.  She’d been a little weird lately.  Mickey thought her relationship with Pete was making Jo jealous.  She was going to call her when she got home and…

No, that didn’t work.  It didn’t explain how Mickey got back to the restaurant.

Okay, how about this?  Pete and Mickey are at the restaurant for dinner.  There was no way to change that, thought Pete.  That was an indisputable fact with witnesses to corroborate it.  Okay, Mickey says that Jo’s been weird, and she doesn’t want her to go on the trip, and she’s going to tell her that…when Jo gets to the restaurant. 

That’s good, thought Pete.  Yeah, Jo was going to come to the restaurant.  But…but…but she calls… yeah, she calls Mickey and says she’s running late.  They arrange to meet at the bar down the street from the restaurant.  Because he wants to go over the final details of the trip and then get a good night’s sleep, Pete goes home.  The same way it had really happened.  He walked.

Pete turned and looked over his shoulder at Jo.

“What?”

“How’s your car running, Jo?” asked Pete.

Jo's eyebrows went up.  “Fine.  Why?”

“Just asking,” said Pete, laughing.

It was perfect.  And he didn’t have to know anything about the women.  He wouldn’t mention the ‘Mickey thought Jo was acting weird’ part until the cops dragged it out of him.  All he knew was that he had dinner with Mickey and walked home.  Mickey was staying to meet Jo for a drink.  Pete was to pick up Jo and then Mickey the next day.  He got to Jo’s house, and she told him that Mickey was delayed by work and they should go on without her.  She’d meet them later.  Jo had Mickey’s luggage right there to prove it.

So it was Jo who said that Mickey was delayed. 

Not Pete. 

And it was Jo who pretended to talk to Mickey on the phone but always when Pete was busy driving the boat.  And it was Jo who was acting all weird the first day, all jittery and stuff…and throwing up on the side of the road.

So it was Jo who killed Mickey.

Pete turned around again and smiled at Jo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“911 Emergency.”

“My name is Nick Carter.  I’m on the Lenore, a boat heading down the Cumberland River toward Cabin Bluff.  I am under attack from another boat, the Sunset Voyager.” 

“Sir, you have contacted the Cabin Bluff police department.  You should contact the Coast Guard, using channel 16 on your radio.” 

“I can’t do that.  He’s monitoring that channel.  He has my…”  Nick paused, searching for the right word to define his relationship with Jo.  “…girlfriend on his boat.  He’s holding a gun to her head.”

“I can give you the number for the Coast Guard, sir.”

“I don’t have time, Ma’am.  I only have a few seconds.  Please, listen to me.  His name is Peter Crofton.  He’s a murder suspect in Fayetteville, North Carolina.  Could you please send us some help?” 

“Sir, can you give me your exact location.  I can pass it on to the Coast Guard.” 

“We’re on the Cumberland River.  I told you that.”  Nick gave the co-ordinates.   “He’s going to kill us both.  Please…please help us.”

“I’ll call the Coast Guard for you right away, Sir!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nick flipped his phone shut and dropped it onto his lap.  Then he raised his hand and scratched his head before replacing his hand on the wheel.

A few minutes later, the radio squawked.

Nick picked up the handset, and his heart sank as he listened to Pete tell him to turn into the Brickhill River.  They weren’t going to Cabin Bluff after all.
Chapter 40 by old_archive
It grew darker and darker as they made their way down the Brickhill River.  And it grew more isolated.  Nick realized that he hadn’t seen a house or a dock or even a settled shoreline in over an hour.

Suddenly, the radio squawked.  “Drop anchor.”

Nick moved his boat toward the shore.  Pete yelled at him to stay in the middle of the river so Nick moved back.  He glanced down at the screen on his cell phone.  He’d tried a couple of times to get a good connection on his cell, but once they’d moved out of the Cumberland River, he’d had no success.  And now the Battery Low light was on.  He’d tried using Mickey’s once, but it was long dead.

Nick turned off the engine and went down to the back deck as Pete had instructed.  He stood with his hands raised.  Pete had set his spotlight on the Sunset Voyager to focus on the back deck of the Lenore,and he told Nick to stand in its light.   As much as Nick tried to squint, he could see nothing that was happening beyond the railing.

Suddenly, he heard Pete call out.  He was much nearer than the Sunset Voyager.  He must be in the dinghy.

“Show me the cell phone.”

Nick pulled it out and held it up. 

Pete laughed.  “You’re so cute, Nicky.  Mickey loved putting her lips next to yours.”

Nick didn’t react.

“Smash it,” called out Pete.

“What?”

“You heard me.  Smash it.  Break it.  Show me the pieces.”

Nick looked around him.  Smash it with what?  His eye caught the boat hook, sitting in its bracket on the wall by the cabin door.  He pulled it out of the bracket and held it up for Pete to see.  Then he set the phone on the deck. 

“Not ‘til I see Jo,” he said.

“I’m here,” shouted Jo.  “We’re in the dinghy.  Run, Nick.  Get away.  Don’t…”

Nick didn’t hear any more for a second.  Then he heard a click and a whimper.

“Destroy it now,” called Pete.

Nick lifted the boat hook and smashed the rounded handle end down onto the phone.  The phone skittered out from underneath the pole and slid across the deck.  Nick quickly retrieved it and tried again.  It took three good hits before it broke apart.  The fourth one obliterated it.

Nick picked up the pieces and held them up for Pete to see.

“Throw them in the river,” said Pete.  His voice sounded very close.

Nick looked down at the pieces of the phone.  He hoped he’d made the right decision.  Mickey’s dead cell phone was in Nick’s pocket.  He had smashed his own phone, hoping to keep the evidence against Pete.  Nick hoped he hadn’t just broken his only life line.

Nick dropped the pieces one by one into the water.  He did it slowly, playing for time.  He wasn’t sure what he would use the time for because he didn’t have the first idea what he was supposed to do to get out of this situation.  He wished he were Kevin.  Train would know what to do.

“Now back up to the other side of the deck.  I’m coming on board.  Jo is coming after me.  And in case you have any funny ideas, I have a rope around her neck.  It’s attached to me.  If you knock me into the water, she goes too.  Got it?”

“Yeah,” said Nick, “I got it.”  He backed up to the far railing.

A moment later, he saw Pete climb onto the Lenore.  There was indeed a rope tied to his ankle.  Soon, Jo followed him up on deck.  She had a rope around her neck and bungee cords tying her hands together.  She had a frightened look in her eyes.

“You okay?” asked Nick softly, ignoring Pete.

“Yeah.  You?”

Nick nodded.

“Okay,” said Pete, heartily.  “Let’s move this party down below, into the lap of luxury.”

Pete loosened the rope and lifted it off Jo’s neck.  He told her to go downstairs and sit at the dining nook.  Nick was to follow and sit on the sofa in the living room.  Pete used the rope to tie Nick’s hands together.

“Now, why don’t you two sit here and have a cozy conversation…I’ve got some work to do,” said Pete.

He disappeared up the stairs. 

“What’s he doing?” asked Nick, in a whisper.

“I don’t know,” said Jo, “but he brought a can of gas with him.” 

Nick’s eyes widened in fear.

“I’m so sorry, Nick.  I’m so, so sorry.”  All the tears Jo had been holding in began trickling down her cheeks.

“It’s not your fault,” said Nick.  “It’s his fault.  Uuuhhhnn!”

While he was speaking, Nick had been trying to loosen the ropes that bound him.  The ropes bit sharply into his wrists as he twisted his hands.

“Come over here,” whispered Jo, anxiously.  “Maybe I can help.”

Nick slid off the sofa and walked on his knees to the dining nook.  Jo tried to use her fingers and her teeth to undo the knot in the rope. 

“It’s not working,” she said in frustration.

“Here, let me see if I can undo yours,” said Nick.

“No,” insisted Jo.  “It has to be you.  You’re stronger and faster.  And besides, you don’t deserve to die.”

“You don’t deserve to die either, Jo,” said Nick.

Jo bent her head over his hands again and pulled at the knot with her teeth.

“There!” she said, raising her head.  “I think that’s loosened it a bit.”

It was awkward trying to use her fingers when her wrists were bound together but Jo persevered and soon, Nick’s hands could move freely in the ropes.

“Now what?” asked Jo.

“Now we wait,” said Nick.  “We wait for him to come back down, and then I’ll jump him.  I’ll try and get the gun.”

“No,” said Jo, “just try and get away.  Try and go for help.  Get in the dinghy.  It has oars, but there’s a small outboard motor on it too.”

“I can’t leave you behind,” insisted Nick.

“Please, Nick.  One of us has to survive this.  For Mickey.  One of us has to be able to tell what happened.  Pete says he’s going to say that I killed her.”

“What?”  Nick couldn’t believe this.

“And you know what, Nick?  He’ll make them believe it.  I know he will.  He can make people believe anything.”

“I guess I’m living proof of that,” said Nick, ruefully.

“Well, I want you to stay living proof,” whispered Jo.  “Now that we’ve lost the cell phone, we only have ourselves for proof.”

“We haven’t lost the phone,” said Nick, softly.  “It’s in my pocket.  I smashed my own phone.”

Jo smiled.  “You tricky devil.  Good for…sssh.”  Jo stopped smiling and put her hands in her lap.

“There we go,” said Pete in a hearty voice.  “I’ve given your decks a nice bath.”

“You don’t have to do this, Pete,” said Nick.

“Ah, but I do,” replied the older man.  “You are what they call ‘excess baggage’ at this point.  In fact, you are a downright hindrance.  Now be a good boy and shut up!”

Nick couldn’t believe his eyes or his ears.  This was not the real Pete.  Nick didn’t know this angry, evil man.  Nick reconsidered and guessed that maybe this was the real Pete.  The other one was made up...the smooth-talking, caring, friendly man…he was the myth.  Nick remembered earlier in the day wishing that Pete would act like a murderer so Nick would know for sure.  Well, he knew now!

Pete went up the hallway to the bedroom.  Jo and Nick could hear splashing sounds, and the aroma of gasoline drifted out to their noses. 

Terror threatened to overwhelm them both. 

“Go!” whispered Jo.

Nick pulled the ropes from his hands and raced to the stairs.

A gunshot behind her made Jo jump.  She heard Nick scream and then a heavy thud up on the deck.  Then nothing.

Pete stepped into the living area.  “Well, wasn’t that brave of Nicky?  And stupid!”  Pete looked up the stairs.  He could see Nick’s foot.  It wasn’t moving.  A small trickle of blood began dripping down the top step.

Jo rose up off the bench.  “You murderer!  You…you…!”

“Sit down!” snarled Pete, turning and placing the gun in the middle of Jo’s forehead.

The metal was hot, and she flinched back from it.

“Okay,” said Pete, “here’s what’s going to happen.”  He walked over to the stove and turned all the dials.  The smell of propane filled the air.

“You, my dear Jordana, are going to go and lie down on the bed.”  Pete laughed.  “You think you had a hot time in there last night!  Tonight will be even hotter.”

Jo’s eyes were wide with fear.  “Don’t, Pete,” she begged. 

She skittered around the dining bench to the back.  Pete reached in and grabbed her arm, but Jo wrapped her legs around the metal post of the table and held on.  She wriggled out of his grasp and hit at him with her bound hands.

“Suit yourself, you bitch,” snarled Pete.  “I don’t have time for this.”

He disappeared up the hallway.  Jo slid back along the bench prepared to flee.  She heard a whump, and then she could smell smoke.  Oh, no!  She had to get out before the fire got to the propane.  She stood up and took a step.

“Nice try,” said Pete, grabbing her by the braid and throwing her onto the sofa in the living room.  “Now stay there!”

Pete moved quickly to the stairs.  He looked up, and the back of his brain told him something wasn’t right.  He looked back at Jo and laughed and then turned to the stairs…just as his brain figured out what was wrong.  Nick’s foot had disappeared.

Pete backed up a step and raised the gun.  Smoke was billowing up the hallway and making his eyes water.  The flames would reach the living room soon.  He had to get out.  Pete knelt down, peering up the stairs through the smoke.

Suddenly, Jo leapt up from the sofa.  She grabbed the ugly sailboat picture from the wall.  She took two steps, raising the picture as high as she could with her bound hands.  Then she smashed it over Pete’s head as hard as she could.

The glass shattered.  Pete gave a groan and crumpled to the ground.  Jo leapt over his body and ran up the stairs.  Standing on the deck in front of her was Nick, with the boat hook raised like a javelin ready to stab her in the chest.

“It’s me, Nick!” she cried.

Nick lowered the pole.  “C’mon!” he cried.  “We’ve got to get out of here.”

He turned and limped to the side of the boat, using the boat hook for support.  Jo could see blood soaking his pants below the right knee.

Jo took a step and then screamed.  A hand had wrapped around her ankle.  She turned to see Pete on the stairs.  Blood ran down the side of his face.  Jo tried to pull her foot free.  She watched as Pete raised the other hand.  It had the gun in it.  Pete braced the gun on the deck to steady it.

“Nick!” cried Jo.

Nick turned and took in the scene.  He scrambled back across the deck.  He kicked out with his uninjured leg, aiming for the gun.  The gun swung away from Jo but still remained in Pete's hand.  Nick kicked out again, and the gun skittered across the deck.  Pete reached for it.  Nick raised the boat hook high in the air and brought it down on Pete’s hand, pinning it to the deck.  Pete screamed in agony.  He let go of Jo and tried to pull the hook out of his hand.

“Come on, Jo!” yelled Nick. 

Jo ran to the railing and climbed over.  She dropped down into the dinghy and then grabbed the ladder, trying to steady it.  She could see smoke rising through the front hatchway.

“Hurry, Nick!” she called out.

Nick climbed awkwardly over the railing.  He was having trouble making his right leg work.  Finally, he made it.  He grabbed the oars and stared rowing.  Jo pulled on the rope on the outboard motor.  It coughed and chugged but didn’t start.

“Omigod,” said Nick.

Jo looked around.  Flames were now visible in the living area of the Lenore.  They were also licking their way across the upper deck.  It would not be long before the boat exploded.  Nick put more effort into the rowing.

Jo pulled hard on the rope.  Once, twice…nothing.  The third time, she pulled so hard the rope pulled right off the motor.  But there was a chug and then a whine and then a purr.

“Got it!” said Jo. 

She grabbed the throttle and turned the motor, moving the dinghy away from the Lenore.  Nick stopped rowing and sank back into the rubber sides, exhausted and bleeding.

Suddenly, he sat up. 

“Jo, get down!” he cried, reaching for her.

Jo looked over her shoulder.  Silhouetted on the deck of the burning Lenore was Pete, his gun held in his two hands, aimed right at them.

Jo turned the throttle and made the dinghy swerve.  A bullet ripped through the air.  It missed Jo and Nick, but it caught the side of the dinghy.  The air pocket started to deflate.

Nick gauged the distance between the dinghy and the Lenore.  They were almost out of range of Pete’s gun.  The dinghy was made of separate air compartments.  Deflating one wouldn’t sink the boat.  More than one…Nick wasn’t sure about that. 

Another bullet whistled through the air.  This one pinged off the motor and ricocheted through another section of the dinghy.  The boat began to fill with water.

Jo turned the handle, revving the motor to full speed.  The motor whined and then coughed and then died.

“Noooo,” cried Jo, in frustration.  They were almost there.  They had almost reached the Sunset Voyager.

“Get down!” cried Nick.

Jo turned to see Pete with his gun raised, ready to fire again.  Suddenly, the man became a silhouette as the cabin of the Lenore exploded behind him.  The force of the explosion blew Pete across the boat and over the back.  He landed on the dinghy on the back of the boat.  He lay there lifeless, one arm hanging off the back.

Jo and Nick turned their attention to their own survival.  Nick pulled hard on the oars while Jo tried to disconnect the motor and drop it overboard so it wouldn’t weigh down the sinking boat. 

“We have to swim for it Jo,” said Nick.  “This is too tiring, and we’re not getting anywhere.”

“Can you swim?” asked Jo.  “Can you make it?”

Nick nodded.  “We’re close,” he said, and he rolled over the side of the rubber boat into the water. 

Jo followed, and they swam the few yards to the Sunset Voyager.  Nick motioned for Jo to go up the ladder first.  She made it easily and turned to help Nick.  He pulled himself up with his arms, but when he put his right leg on the bottom rung of the ladder, it collapsed, and he fell back into the water.

“Use your arms, Nick,” cried Jo, leaning over the side to try and help him.  “And hurry!”

Nick looked over his shoulder at the Lenore.  It was fully engulfed in flames.  It wouldn’t be long before the gas tanks exploded.  Nick knew they had to get the Sunset Voyager further away, or it would be set on fire too.  He pulled hard on the ladder with his arms, jerking himself up out of the water.  He got his left foot on the ladder and tried to push himself up with it.  From above, he felt Jo grab his shirt.

“Now!” she shouted.

Nick made a final attempt, pushing hard with his leg and pulling with his arms.  Between his effort and Jo’s, he got as high as the railing.  He then leaned his weight forward and rolled onto the deck.

“Start the boat, Jo,” he yelled.  “We’ve got to get out of here.”

“I don’t know how,” she yelled back.

“It’s not hard.  It’s like a car.  You have to do it.  I can’t get up the ladder.”

Jo looked at Nick and saw that he was right.  His right leg was soaked in blood.  She leapt to her feet and scrambled up the ladder.  She turned the key and pressed the button to start the boat.  Once she heard the engine turn over, Jo pushed the throttle forward.  She heard the engines whine, but the boat didn’t go anywhere.  She heard Nick yell something, and she looked over the back of the bridge to the deck below, where he lay sprawled on his back. 

“The anchor!” he yelled up at her.

“Right!”  Jo turned back to the control panel.  She found the button marked ‘Anchor’ and pushed it.  She felt a rumbling in her feet. 

Jo looked over at the Lenore.  A white light flashed.  The explosion wasn’t as loud as she thought it would be.  It wasn’t a big bang, more of a whoosh.  A ball of flame lifted the boat into the air and then dropped it.  Fiery bits of debris showered down all over the river.  On the shore, a tree caught fire and then another one.

Bits of molten material began to fall on the Sunset Voyager.  Jo stamped out one with her foot.  Then she looked down at Nick.  He had dragged himself to his feet and grabbed the fire extinguisher from the back.  He was shooting little bursts of foam at each piece of burning material that landed.

The anchor settled into its nest, and Jo pushed the throttle forward, trying to get the Sunset Voyager out of harm’s way.  She moved it upstream a hundred yards and then dropped the anchor again.  She ran to the front of the boat and kicked the pieces of burning debris off into the river.  Then she ran back to the bridge and tuned the radio to Channel 16.

“Mayday!  Mayday!” she cried.  “This is the Sunset Voyager.  We need your help.”

“Where are you, Sunset Voyager?” crackled the radio.

Jo leaned over to look at Nick.  “Where are we?” she called.

Nick called out the location as close as he could remember.  Jo passed on the information, as well as telling them that Nick had been shot and the Lenore had been destroyed.  The voice said they would be there as fast as they could.

Jo raced down the ladder to Nick, who lay on the deck, propped up against the back bench.  Jo pulled up his pant leg and looked at the wound.  It looked like the bullet had gone right through his calf.  It seemed to be bleeding a lot.

Jo rose to her feet and pulled her t-shirt off over her head.  Then she unfastened her bra, thankful that she was small-busted and was wearing a stretchy bra, not one of those wire and mesh things for fuller-figured women.  She knelt down and wound the bra three times around Nick’s leg just below the knee and then tied it off.

She looked up at his face.  “How’s that?” she asked.

“That’s just fine, Miss Jo,” said Nick, with a lopsided grin.  “But I’m not sure this is the time for…”  He raised his eyebrows twice.  “…you know.”

Jo crossed her arms over her chest self-consciously and then turned her back to Nick and put her t-shirt back on.  Then she sat down on the deck beside him and leaned into him.  Nick put his arm around her, and they sat together, saying nothing, exhilarating in each other’s heartbeat and waiting for the Coast Guard.
Chapter 41 by old_archive
FOUR MONTHS LATER – Calabash, North Carolina – Mile 340

Nick stood with his hands on the wooden railing.  He looked down at the docks below him.  About half the slips were full.  The summer was over and many of the boats had been moved further south for the winter.

The tour was over, as well.  At least, the North American part.  The Boys were heading to Europe in a week to continue spreading the Backstreet message.

Nick shifted his weight to his left leg.  His right leg was completely healed, and he could dance and jump around the stage like he used to.  But sometimes, when he stood still for a long period, his calf tightened up and got stiff.

Nick was waiting for his boat broker, Carl Henry, to bring him the papers for his new boat.  All of the red tape was finally out of the way.  The insurance company had paid off on the Lenore.  The police investigation was over.  Mickey’s death had been ruled a homicide and Peter Crofton named as the killer.  The Sunset Voyager had made it to Florida to its rightful owners.

Nick heard voices behind him.  Nick turned to see an elderly couple making their way down the dock.  Nick looked past them, and his face lit up.  Walking toward him was Jordana Miles.

“Hey, Baby!” he said, holding out his arms.

The elderly woman looked startled, and she also looked tempted to take the young man up on his offer.  Her husband harrumphed and grabbed his wife’s elbow, marching her past.

Jo burst out laughing.  She stepped into Nick’s arms and hugged him.  “Still picking up chicks, I see,” she said.

Nick laughed.  “Hey, what can I say?  When you got it, you got it!”

They stood together, each waiting for the other to let go first.  They stood there for a long time.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


After the Coast Guard rescued them, they were flown by helicopter to the naval base.  Nick’s wound was looked after, and they were interviewed by various and sundry law enforcement officers. 

It took a while to make everyone understand the story, especially since Nick and Jo had ended up on the Sunset Voyager and Pete on the Lenore.  Nick’s phone call to the police had told it the other way around, and when the Coast Guard had first arrived on the scene, they had held guns on Nick and Jo until they could explain who they were.

A forensics team gathered up what remained of the Lenore.  There wasn’t much, and there was no sign of Pete’s body.  The officer in charge told Nick and Jo that the gas tanks were in the rear of the boat, right under the dinghy and Pete's body had probably been obliterated in the blast.

They journeyed to Fayetteville and turned Mickey’s cell phone over to the police.  Nick stayed for the funeral and then flew to Florida, where four very anxious men were waiting to hear his story.  Rehearsals started for the tour.  Nick talked to Jo on the phone every day or so, checking to make sure that she was all right.  Nick figured post-traumatic stress would set in at some point with Jo.

It had with him.  It was in the middle of rehearsal.  Nick stepped the wrong way, sending a shooting pain up his right leg.  He stopped and gasped and swore.  He grabbed at his leg and looked over at the others.  The care and concern on their faces overwhelmed him, and he sat down on the floor and cried like a baby.  The next thing he knew, he felt arms around him, and there were five men sitting in a huddle crying.

When they were done, Nick said that he had to take a couple of days off but that he’d be back on Friday.  He was and he brought Jo with him.  She stayed with him during the period of rehearsals and traveled with him for the first part of the tour.  Then she went home to start her job. 

The Boys, especially Kevin, thought it was a good thing that she had gone home.  Whether or not their relationship was real or just a by-product of the traumatic events they had shared would be determined by time and distance.  So Nick sang and danced his way around the country, and Jo followed him on the Internet and talked to him on the phone.

When Nick’s new boat was ready, he called Jo and asked her if she wanted to come to Calabash and see it off.  Nick wasn’t driving it to Florida this time.  He had hired someone to do it, someone who he had checked out thoroughly.  Or at least, Bernie had.

When Nick watched Jo walk along the dock, he knew that his future was walking toward him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Ahem!”  Carl Henry cleared his throat.  It was obvious that neither of the two young people had heard him approach.

“Oh, hey, Carl!  How’s it going?”  Nick removed his lips from Jordana but not his arms.

“Fine, just fine, Mr. Carter.  I’ve got everything here.  It’s all squared away.”

Nick’s new boat was just that…brand new.  The insurance money was enough that he could replace the Lenore with a slightly smaller model built new.  The only changes Nick had made were to the artwork…there was no sailboat picture…and the name.

“So you finally figured out the perfect name, did you?” asked Jo.  She and Nick had discussed this in several phone calls.

“Yep,” said Nick.  “I surely did.”

“What is it?” she asked, with a laugh.  “Weird World?  Safest Place to Hide?  Poster Girl?

“See for yourself,” said Nick, stepping aside and turning Jo toward the boat.

Jo looked down at the name.  “It’s perfect,” she said.  “Just perfect.”

The name painted on the back of the boat was Lenore 2.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


In Marseilles, France, the clerk walked up to the counter.

Et voila, Monsieur Cartwright.  The money has arrived.” he said.  “If you would just sign here and here, the boat, she is all yours.” 

The clerk watched the dark-haired man pick up the pen.  On the back of his right hand, the man had a triangular scar that wasn’t quite healed. 

“That looks like it was painful, monsieur,” said the clerk, nodding at the scar.

“Yes,” said the man.  “It was.”  He paused and then added, “I had an accident.” 

He picked up the pen and signed the papers…James Preston Cartwright.  Then he reached across the counter and picked up the keys.  He nodded goodbye to the clerk.

“Enjoy your boat, Monsieur Cartwright,” said the clerk.

“Oh, I will. I will,” said Mr. Cartwright.  “I earned it.”




The End
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9190