Style and Grace by Brenda by old_archive
Summary:

Originally Found On: madame.homestead.com

Summary:  Nick and Grace thought they were starting a new relationship but old foes aren't as excited about their budding romance, and will do everything to see them apart.


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick
Genres: Drama, Romance, Suspense
Warnings: Sexual Content, Violence
Challenges:
Series: Archived Author: KS Angel (Brenda)
Chapters: 38 Completed: Yes Word count: 81031 Read: 63548 Published: 08/14/08 Updated: 08/14/08

1. Chapter 1 by old_archive

2. Chapter 2 by old_archive

3. Chapter 3 by old_archive

4. Chapter 4 by old_archive

5. Chapter 5 by old_archive

6. Chapter 6 by old_archive

7. Chapter 7 by old_archive

8. Chapter 8 by old_archive

9. Chapter 9 by old_archive

10. Chapter 10 by old_archive

11. Chapter 11 by old_archive

12. Chapter 12 by old_archive

13. Chapter 13 by old_archive

14. Chapter 14 by old_archive

15. Chapter 15 by old_archive

16. Chapter 16 by old_archive

17. Chapter 17 by old_archive

18. Chapter 18 by old_archive

19. Chapter 19 by old_archive

20. Chapter 20 by old_archive

21. Chapter 21 by old_archive

22. Chapter 22 by old_archive

23. Chapter 23 by old_archive

24. Chapter 24 by old_archive

25. Chapter 25 by old_archive

26. Chapter 26 by old_archive

27. Chapter 27 by old_archive

28. Chapter 28 by old_archive

29. Chapter 29 by old_archive

30. Chapter 30 by old_archive

31. Chapter 31 by old_archive

32. Chapter 32 by old_archive

33. Chapter 33 by old_archive

34. Chapter 34 by old_archive

35. Chapter 35 by old_archive

36. Chapter 36 by old_archive

37. Chapter 37 by old_archive

38. Chapter 38 by old_archive

Chapter 1 by old_archive
Tuesday

“Same old, same old,” he thought as he maneuvered the car through traffic.  “Nothing new ever happens these days.” 

His mind was occupied, and his driving was on auto-pilot.  At one red light, he had to look around for a few seconds to figure out where he was.  But that was the way he liked it. 

Driving by himself was one of his great pleasures and a real stress-reliever.  He could turn things over in his mind, and no one could get at him.  He could even talk to himself behind his tinted windows, and nobody could see him do it.  Or even worse, take a picture of him doing it. 

Kevin was always giving him grief because his car was as environmentally unfriendly as they came.  But he didn’t care.  He was a big man, and he needed the space.  He loved his SUV.  It let him sit up higher than the other cars, and that made him feel more in control.

He meandered through the streets, leaving the busy traffic areas behind.  He knew he had to get to the meeting, but he had lots of time, and he traced a lazy zigzag path through an area of new development – interesting loft-and-studio combinations.  He might not mind living here.  It wasn’t far from the beach, and he liked the idea of an open loft.  He wondered about security, though.

Suddenly, he slammed on the brakes.  A woman was stepping off the curb right into his path.  She seemed unaware that he was even there.  He hit the horn, and she looked up at him vaguely, as if trying to figure out where the noise was coming from.  Realization lit her eyes, and she stepped back.  The car screeched to a halt.  The woman had disappeared from view.

“Oh, my God,” he thought.  “Did I hit her?” 

He hadn’t felt anything hit the car.  He jumped out and ran around the front of the vehicle.  The woman was crumpled on the side of the road.  A purse lay beside her.  He didn’t see any blood anywhere.

“Are you okay?” he asked.  Shit, he didn’t need this right now.  He truly did not need this.

“I’m okay,” she said.  She looked up at his concerned face.  “You didn’t hit me.  I’m sorry…it was so stupid of me.  I wasn’t paying attention.”

“Are you sure you’re okay?” he asked, relieved that she was conscious and talking.  She looked really shaken up, though.

“I think I twisted my ankle.  I caught my shoe in the grating.”

He looked down at her leg.  Her shoe was indeed caught in the grating of the storm drain, and her foot was twisted at an unhealthy angle.  He knelt down and tried to free the shoe.  She groaned plaintively, and her lips went white.

“That hurts, doesn’t it?”  Stating the obvious, aren’t you, you dumb twit, he told himself.  “I think you’ve sprained your ankle pretty badly …maybe even broken it.”

“Because this day didn’t stink bad enough yet,” she groaned.

“This is really going to hurt,” he said, kneeling down beside her.  “I have to get your foot free.  Can you get your foot out of your shoe?  That might be easier.”

She moved her foot a little.  Pain seared her brain.

“Okay, don’t.”  

He didn’t know what to do next.  He looked up and down the street.  Trust him to find the only friggin’ street in the whole city with no traffic.  He brushed his blond hair out of his eyes. 

“Take a deep breath, and then yell as loud as you can,” he said, placing one hand under her calf and the other on her shoe.

“I’m not six years old, you know.  That’s the old rip-off-the-bandaid ploy that moms…owwwww!” She yelled the final word as he tugged her foot free from the shoe. 

He easily removed the shoe from the grating and held it up to show her.  “Nice shoes,” he said.  “I don’t think it’s ruined.”

She shrugged.  “They’re just shoes.”

“Okay, let’s see if you can stand.” 

He moved behind her and placed his hands gently under her arms.  He lifted her effortlessly to her feet.  He held her steady as she gingerly placed her injured foot on the ground.  The pain shot through her body.  She groaned and sank back against him.

“Okay, so now we know.  Let’s get you to the hospital.  Come on.  I’ll be as gentle as I can.” 

He bent to pick up her purse and placed the shoe inside it.  Then he lifted her in his arms and carried her the few steps to the car.  He realized that the passenger door was locked.  He knew the keys were in the ignition.  Dammit!  Superman never had this much trouble rescuing damsels in distress.

“I have to set you down and unlock the door,” he explained.

“Just lean me up against the car,” she answered.

He stood her gently up.  She gripped the top of the car and stood on one foot, while he raced around the car.  He reached in and unlocked the door and came rushing back.  He opened the door and held her at the waist as she tried to maneuver herself into the car.  She got mostly in; only her right leg was hanging out.

“There is no way to do this without pain,” he said.

“Just do it,” she muttered through clenched teeth. 

She grabbed the sides of the seat and held on.  He quickly lifted her leg by the calf and put it in the car.  He did it as gently as he could, but when he placed her foot on the floor of the car, she groaned, and her eyes rolled back in her head.  She lost consciousness, and her body started to pitch sideways out of the car.

“No.  Oh, shit.” 

He grabbed her and held her body up with one hand while he fumbled for the seat belt with the other.  Good thing she’s unconscious, he thought, as he had to put his hands in rather inappropriate spots to get her securely fastened in the seat.

What kind of idiot are you to be glad the stranger in your car is unconscious? he asked himself, as he sped around the front of the car and got behind the wheel.  He put the car in gear and pulled slowly away from the curb.  He looked sideways at her.  Her eyes were open and she seemed conscious, but she didn’t seem to be aware of where she was.

“How are you doing?” he asked.  “Are you hanging in there okay?”

She was sitting in a cocoon of pain.  Her ankle felt like it was on fire, and the flames were spreading up her leg.  She felt like there was a thick white curtain surrounding her.  From beyond the curtain, she could hear a muffled voice.  She blinked twice and tried to focus on it.

“…your name?”

“Sorry,” she managed.  “What did you say?”

“What’s your name?” he repeated.  He was relieved that she had finally spoken.

“Grace…Grace Barrett.”

“Hi, Grace.  I’m Nick.”

“Hi…listen, I’m sorry…”

“It’s okay.  We’re almost there.  Hang on.”

Nick turned into the entrance of a small neighborhood hospital.  He was lucky he had remembered it was there.  His aunt had spent some time there the previous year having some kind of female surgery.  Nick remembered that there was an emergency room.  He pulled up in front of the door marked ER and got out of the car.  He came around and opened her door.  He reached in to undo the seatbelt.

“You smell good,” said Grace, with half-closed eyes. 

Nick looked around for an attendant or a wheelchair but saw no one.  “Grace, I’m going to get someone…”

“Don’t leave me,” she pleaded, grabbing his hand. 

Nick looked around again but still saw no one.  What’s up with that? he thought.  On television, there were always people scurrying around the entrance to an ER.  A soft groan brought his attention back to Grace.

“Okay, here goes,” he warned. 

He slid his hands under Grace’s body and lifted her halfway out of the car.  She tried to help him, pushing herself off the seat while shifting her weight.  Nick lifted her up and out, knocking her right leg against the doorframe.  The pain raced from her foot to her brain, and everything went grey and hazy. 
Grace knew Nick was talking to her again, but she couldn’t hear him.  His voice was coming from too far away.   She leaned her head against his chest and tried to push back the fog.

Nick could see that Grace was not totally with him anymore, so he quickly kicked the car door shut and headed for the hospital entrance.

“Excuse me…could somebody help me?” he called out, as he entered the ER. 

The automatic doors swooshed shut behind him, and he was greeted by silence.  To his left was a small waiting area with a dozen plastic chairs and a table with some magazines scattered across it.    An old man nodded sleepily in one of the chairs, and in another, a young Latina woman gently rocked a baby on her shoulder, cooing soothing words. 

To his right was a long hallway with doors which Nick assumed led to treatment rooms.  There were two empty stretchers parked outside the nearest rooms.  The hallway was deserted.  Where the hell was George Clooney when you needed him?

Straight ahead was a reception counter, unmanned at the moment.  Nick shifted his arms, getting a better grip by bouncing Grace up into his arms.  This caused her to moan.

“Is there someone who could help us?” Nick called out again.  “Please.” 

Yeah, right, he thought.  Say the magic word.  That will bring them running.

A door opened in the back of the reception area.  A woman in a white uniform came through carrying a cup of coffee.  She took in the picture in one glance and swung into action.  She leaned into a microphone sitting on the counter and pushed a button. 

“Doctor Morris, front desk, now please.” 

The nurse set down her coffee and came around the desk.  She grabbed one of the stretchers from the hallway and motioned Nick to bring Grace to it. 

Nick was relieved that someone had finally appeared – someone who would know what she was doing, someone who had ‘health care professional’ written all over her.  Her name tag said A. Pinero.

“It’s her right ankle,” said Nick.  He set Grace down as gently as he could.

“Okay,” said Nurse Pinero. 

She grabbed Grace’s leg under the knee and calf and helped Nick place her.  She efficiently raised the top half of the stretcher, so that Grace was in a semi-sitting position. 

Click.  Click.  Up went the side railings.

“Dr. Morris will be right out,” said the nurse.  “Let’s get started on the information while we’re waiting.”  She moved back behind the desk and sat down facing the computer.  “Name?”

“Nick.” 

The nurse looked at him over the top of her glasses.  “Her name.”

“Oh.”  Nick blushed and felt stupid.  “Grace…Grace Barrett…but that’s all I know about her.  I was passing by, and she fell, and I brought her here and…”

Nurse Pinero held up her hand to stop the gush of words.  “Did she have a purse?”

Nick looked around helplessly.  He looked at Grace.  Her eyes were clearing somewhat.  “Grace.” He picked up her hand. “Grace, where’s your purse?”

“In the car,” she said.  “It’s in your car.”

Nurse Pinero took charge.  “Okay, Nick, you go get the purse and move your car to the parking lot around the side.  We’ll take care of Grace.”

Nick was reluctant to leave.  He looked at Grace.  She nodded at him. 

“I’ll be right back,” he said after a moment, and he headed for the door.

“Well, aren’t you the lucky one?” Nurse Pinero turned to Grace, who wasn’t feeling very lucky today at all.

“Why am I lucky?”

“Well, if you have to be carried around in someone’s arms, they might as well be attached to Nick Carter.”

“Nick…?”  Grace wasn’t processing information well.

“You know.  Nick Carter…from the Backstreet Boys!”  Nurse Pinero stated emphatically. 

Grace’s eyes grew huge.  “Are you sure?  Omigod, I never really looked at him.  I was just…it just hurt so much…”

“Yes, tell me where it hurts.” 

Dr. Morris had arrived. 

Chapter 2 by old_archive
By the time Nick returned from the parking lot, Grace had disappeared. Nurse Pinero had extracted all the relevant information from her except her health insurance number. Dr. Morris had whisked her into one of the treatment rooms, followed by a nurse. Her name tag said N. Raymond. Dr Morris called her Nora.

Nurse Pinero took the purse from Nick and opened it. She fished out Grace’s wallet. Nick opened his mouth to protest, but the nurse allayed his fears.

“It’s okay. I have her permission. She told me where to look.”

Sure enough, she held up the insurance card. She added the relevant information to the computer file and then handed the purse to Nick.

“She’s in Room 2,”said the nurse, nodding down the hallway.

Nick found the room and hesitantly knocked on the door. It was opened by a nurse who promptly told him to go away, he wasn’t allowed back here.

“But I have to give her the purse,” protested Nick.

“Look, I’m sorry, you aren’t allowed back here.”

“Oh, for heaven’s sake, Nora, she’s not having a baby, she has a sprained ankle. Let the young man see her.” Nurse Pinero came up behind them and gave Nurse Nora a knowing nod.

Nurse Nora nodded back and smiled. “Well, I guess it would be okay if you say so, Agnes. But she’s in a lot of pain. We’ll be taking her up to x-ray shortly.”

Nick stepped past the nurse into the room. Grace lay on the stretcher with her eyes closed. Her skirt was smoothed down over her legs, and her ankle was covered with an ice bag.

“Hey there,” said Nick, from the doorway. “How are you doing?”

Grace opened her eyes and gave him a shy smile. “Well, except for the fact that I seemed to have broken my ankle, and that I’m apparently a complete idiot, I guess I’m fine.”

“Don’t be embarrassed. Anyone could step on a grate like that.”

“That’s not why I’m an idiot. I’m an idiot because I didn’t recognize you. I’m so sorry, Nick.”

He grinned. “That’s okay. I was kind of enjoying it.”

“Now see, that’s why…” said Grace, pointing at his face. “You never smiled. If you had flashed that famous Nick Carter grin, I would have recognized you. Honest.” Grace laughed and then grimaced as pain shot up her leg.

“And what would you have done?” inquired Nick. “Fainted?”

Grace laughed again. “I guess I did that anyway.”

“Well, it’s good to know that my smile and fractured bones have the same effect on people.” Nick pulled a wheeled stool from the corner and sat down behind the stretcher. “So, Grace…”

They made small talk for awhile. As so often happens in emergency rooms, there was a lot of waiting time. Even though the hospital didn’t seem that busy, there was still a lengthy delay between each step of the procedure – diagnosis, x-ray, treatment.

Nick stayed with Grace. When they took her off to X-ray, Grace told him she was fine and he didn’t have to stay. When they wheeled her back into the room, he was gone.

Grace felt a twinge of disappointment but realized that he had already done more than enough.

“Hey, you’re back,” said Nick.

Grace looked up at him, standing in the doorway. Her heart jumped at the sight of him. He hadn’t left her. She was surprised at the feeling of relief she had.

Nick held up a cell phone. “I had to make a couple of calls – cancel a meeting. Did you know you can’t use cell phones in hospitals?”

“Yes, they screw up the equipment – heart monitors and things like that.”

It was just as well that Nick had to go out to the parking lot to make the call. Kevin’s yelling might have disturbed the entire ER. Nick knew that Kevin would be pissed. It seemed like everything Nick did lately made Kevin angry.

Yes, Nick told him, he knew the meeting was important, but something had come up.

“What’s her name?” Kevin asked derisively.

“It’s not like that,” Nick replied. “I’m at the hospital. There was an accident.”

Kevin’s whole demeanor changed immediately. “Are you okay? What happened? Are you alright? Should we come?”

“No, no, no.” Nick tried to explain. “I brought a girl to the hospital. She fell in front of my car.”

“Oh, my God! You hit someone. Don’t say anything. I’ll get a lawyer there as fast as I can.”

That was pretty much it for Nick. He’d had all the Big Brother Kevin he could take for the day.

“For heaven’s sake, listen! I didn’t hit her. She fell and hurt her ankle. I brought her to the hospital, and I’m staying with her to make sure she’s okay.”

“Doesn’t she have family? Isn’t there someone you could call?”

“Kevin, I mean this in the politest possible way…take the meeting and shove it up your ass!”

Nick punched the ‘End’ button on his cell phone. He knew he’d hear about this tomorrow. But he just didn’t freakin’ care right now. He went back into the hospital to see how Grace was doing. Nurse Pinero told him that they had just brought her back from X-ray.

Nick sat down again on the stool beside the stretcher. He could see that Grace was suffering. He tried to think of a way to distract her. He picked up her left hand. He noticed that there was a white line on her ring finger. He rubbed it idly and looked at her inquiringly.

Grace answered the unspoken question. “I was engaged.”

“Was?”

“Yeah, right up until this morning.”

Nick felt disappointed, but he didn’t know why. “Is that why you…?”

“Why I wasn’t paying attention? Yeah, I guess so.”

That wasn’t really what he was asking, but he was pleased by her answer.

“What happened? No, never mind. Sorry, that’s none of my business.”

“It’s okay. I don’t mind. I have a rule that anyone who picks me up off the side of the road gets to know everything about me. I’m sorry. That’s not making any sense. I’m kinda fading a bit.” Grace leaned her head back and closed her eyes. “He cheated on me” were her last faint words before she drifted away. She came back a few moments later.

At least, she thought it was a few moments. It was actually over a full minute. Nick was just getting ready to call for a nurse or doctor when Grace’s eyelids fluttered open and she picked up the sentence where she had left it.

“He cheated on me.”

Nick didn’t know what to do or say and was relieved that he was saved from replying by the return of Dr. Morris and Nurse Nora.

“The x-rays are back. They show a fracture. I’m afraid you’re going to be in a cast for 3 – 4 weeks,” said Dr. Morris. “I hope you’re not a dancer.”

“No, I’m a website designer.”

They all looked at her, impressed.

“Cool,” said Nurse Nora.

Grace shrugged. “It’s a living.”

The nurse wheeled in a tray with bandages and a bowl of water.

“Nothing hi-tech about this,” she said, “Just plain old plaster.

“This is going to hurt,” said Dr. Morris. I have to align the bones before we set it. I’ll give you a local freezing.”

“No, don’t,” said Grace. “I hate needles. Just do it.”

Grace turned her head sideways to look at Nick. Maybe she could drown herself in those eyes and she wouldn’t feel the pain. Nick still had her hand. Grace gripped his tightly.

Nick leaned his face in close to hers and whispered. “You can do this. It will be okay. It will be okay.”

He leaned closer, and Grace turned her face toward him. Nick covered her mouth with his. He kissed her gently, and the sensation of it swept through her and took her away, so that there was only him and her. Grace moaned softly and leaned into Nick. They opened their mouths simultaneously and found whole new sources of pleasure. There was no one else in the world but them.

“Do you think I can go ahead?” Dr. Morris smiled at Nora. “She doesn’t seem to be feeling any pain.”

“I think you could probably do open-heart surgery at this point,” the nurse replied.

Dr. Morris grabbed Grace’s ankle, and as gently and swiftly as he could, he aligned the bones. No one, including Grace, would ever be able to say if the moan she gave was from the pain or the pleasure.

Nick finally withdrew his lips from hers. Grace still clasped his hand tightly. Her eyes were closed, and her chest was heaving. She opened her eyes and looked at him.

“So…” Her voice was husky. “…if that whole singing thing doesn’t work out, I think there’s a place for you in health care.”


Chapter 3 by old_archive
After the cast was set, the pain pills handed over and the instructions given about crutches, it was time to go.  Nick insisted on driving Grace home.  He wondered if she had family who could take care of her.

“Is there someone I could call?” he asked.

”No, there’s no one,” replied Grace, and then she realized how pathetic that sounded, given their earlier conversation.  “I mean, I can take care of myself.”  She squared her shoulders defiantly. 

“I’m sure you can,” said Nick, with a grin.  “I’ll go get the car.  I’ll meet you at the emergency room entrance.”

Nurse Pinero pushed Grace slowly up the hall in a wheelchair.  Grace's insistence that she could make it on the crutches was waved aside.  Hospital policy.  No one was going to fall on Agnes’ watch and then sue the hospital. 

When they reached the reception area, Grace could see that word had spread that Nick Carter was on the premises.  A small group of nurses was huddled by the reception desk trying to look nonchalant.  Nick looked at Grace sheepishly when he came back in to get her. 

“Go on,” she told him.  “They took good care of me.  Make their day.”

Nick went over to the reception desk and signed autographs for them all.  Nurse Pinero watched it all with a smile.  She had sons older than this young man.  When Nick came over to the door, she handed him a pen and paper. 

He signed his name and then said, “I’m sorry, Agnes, but an autograph just won’t do for you.”  Then he wrapped his long arms around the short, heavy-set woman and hugged her with all his might.  “Thanks so much,” he said and kissed her on the cheek.

Nick helped Grace stand up from the wheelchair.  She leaned into him and whispered, “You’re a beautiful man, Nick Carter.  That was a lovely thing you did.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When they pulled up in front of Grace’s place, Nick turned off the car and said, “Wow!  I drove by here earlier and wondered what these were like.”

“Why don’t you come up and see my lofty spaces sometime?” replied Grace, in a very bad Mae West imitation.  “Okay, that was awful,” she added.

“Yeah, it was pretty bad.  Wait there!”  Nick got out of the car and went around to the other side.  He got Grace’s crutches out of the back seat and then opened the front door for her.

“Easy now,” he said.

Grace swiveled her body on the seat, carefully moving out, first her right leg and then the left.  She took the crutches from Nick and put them under her arms.

“Careful now,” said Nick.  “Watch the curb.”

Grace wanted to laugh at this concern.  He must think I’m the clumsiest person in the world, she thought.  Then she considered that events so far today gave him every right to feel that way.

“I’m okay,” she said, taking a cautious step forward.

Once he was assured that Grace was not going to fall flat on her face, Nick moved on to other concerns.  “Can I leave the car here?” he asked, looking around the area.

“Yeah, I’ll just tell Gary on the way in.  He’s the security guy.”

“Oh, you have security at these buildings.  I was wondering…”

“Yeah, there’s a guy on the desk 24 hrs a day…It adds a bit to the cost, but we all agreed it was worth it.”

“So these are like condos?  You own your place?”

“Yes…well, me and the bank,” laughed Grace.

They reached the door.   Nick held it open, and Grace awkwardly made her way in.  She sighed in frustration.

“You’ll get used to it, don’t worry,” said Nick.

The security guard rushed around the desk.  He was wearing a blue shirt and navy slacks – a uniform but not an obvious one.  “Grace!  I mean, Ms. Barrett.  What happened?” 

“Oh, I had a little mishap.  Gary, this is Nick.  Can he leave his car there for a minute?”

“Yeah, sure Ms. Barrett.  I’ll keep an eye on it for him.”  Gary turned to Nick.  “Just pull it into that parking space marked ‘Manager’.  It’s never used at night.”

“I’ll be right back,” said Nick.

“Bring my purse,” Grace said, “I left it in the car again.”

They watched Nick exit the building.  Gary got her attention again. “Um…you…um…have a visitor.”

“Matt?”

“Yes, he said he wanted to get a few things and leave you your keys.  He told me what happened…I mean, that you guys…I’m really sorry, Gra…Ms. Barrett.”

“That’s very sweet of you, Gary.  But I’m okay.  Really.  It was coming for awhile.”

Gary opened his mouth to say more when Nick came back in.  Gary shot a look in his direction.  He wondered if this was part of her recovery process.  Grace hobbled toward the elevator, Nick following behind, carrying her purse. 

The building had five floors, and Grace was on the 4th.  She explained that each floor had four units.  They were meant to be combined studio and living space for artists and musician types, so they were well sound-proofed.  The only sound that could be heard came from the street.  Besides, the only musician who lived there was a classical violinist, and he lived on the second floor.  Grace certainly had no complaints about his noise.  Mostly, there were artists – painters, sculptors – and a couple of stockbroker/lawyer types who liked the idea of living around artists. 

And of course, there was Grace. 

The elevator stopped with a bump that made her wince. 

“It’s been a long, tough day for you,” said Nick, sympathetically.

“It’s about to get a little tougher and then a lot easier,” said Grace, stopping in front of a door marked 4B.  She turned the handle, and it opened. 

Nick was surprised.   Didn’t she even lock her door?

Grace stepped into the loft.  “Hi, Matt,” she said dully.  “What are you doing here?”

Nick looked around, taking in the apartment at a glance.  It was a large open area with pillars interspersed throughout – holding the whole thing up, he guessed.  Standing at one end near a kitchen area was a tall, slim man with dark hair and well, dark everything, Nick thought. 

The man was dressed completely in black, shirt, shoes, pants, jacket, even his tie was black.  His eyes were dark as well, and he had a thin black moustache.  He reminded Nick of Zorro.

“Hi, Baby.  What happened to you?”

“I fell down.  What are you doing here?”

“I came to get my things like you told me.”  Matt held up a small satchel.  “And to see if I could talk to you.”

“Okay, you got your things.  Give me your keys and goodbye.” 

The finality in her voice was chilling.  Nick felt very out of place standing there with her purse in his hands.

Matt blushed.  He was embarrassed at being treated this way in front of a stranger.  The guy looked vaguely familiar, but Matt couldn’t place him.  One of her computer geek friends giving her moral support probably.  He set the keys on the counter and looked at Grace’s left hand.

“Where’s the ring?” he asked.

“In the ocean,” replied Grace.

Matt took a step toward her.  “That was a family heirloom.  You really are crazy, you know that.”

Nick stepped up behind Grace and placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder.  His eyes bore into Matt’s. 

Don’t come any closer, they said.

“I’ll give you a couple of days to calm down and…” Matt looked Nick up and down.  “…maybe get even.  Then we’ll straighten this out.”

He walked past them and out the door.  Nick turned and locked it behind him.  When he turned back, he saw that Grace had moved to one of the stools at the kitchen counter and was trying to lean her crutches against it.

“Here, let me help,”  said Nick.

Nick realized he was still holding the purse.  He set it down on the counter and took the crutches from Grace.  He leaned them against the wall.  Then he took Grace’s hands and looked into her eyes. 

“Are you okay?  I mean, really?”  Nick didn’t know what he would do if she broke down.  Hold her, he guessed, and let her cry.

Grace didn’t cry, though.  She laughed.  “I’m fine, really.  This was just the last straw.  I’m relieved that it’s finally over.”

“Did you really throw the ring in the ocean?” asked Nick.  The word ‘crazy’ flitted through his mind.

“No, it’s in my purse,” said Grace, with a grin.  “But I guess I needed a tiny bit of revenge.  I’ll send it back to him in a week or so.”

There was an awkward silence.  Nick looked at his watch, and they both started talking at once.

“I guess you have to go…” From her.

“What do you want for dinner?” From him.

“You’ve done enough.  I can’t thank you enough for everything you’ve done for me today.  I certainly can’t ask you to cook for me.”

“That’s right, you can’t.”  Nick laughed.  “I don’t know how to cook.  But I give good phone.  Want pizza?  I’m starving.”

“That would be great.  The number’s on the fridge.  Antonio’s.  It’s a local place – really good pizza!”

“What do you want?” asked Nick, taking out his cell phone.

“Anything but olives.  But I’m not that hungry.  You get what you like.”

“Okay.  What’s the address here again?”

Grace reached into her purse and fished out a business card.  “It’s on there.”

Nick punched in the number and looked down at the card – Style and Grace Web Designs.  As he was ordering the pizza, he could see that Grace was fading.  He ended the call and said, “Come on, let’s get you more comfortable.” 

Nick picked her up in his arms and said, “Where’s your bedroom?” 

Grace pointed to a doorway at the back end of the apartment.  Nick carried her through and placed her gently on the bed.   “I’ll be right back with the crutches.”

“That would be great,” said Grace.  “I’ll get into my PJs, and you can serve me dinner in bed.”  She laughed.  “And maybe I’ll have a couple of those pain pills for dessert.  There’s beer in the fridge, if you’d like.”

Nick grinned at her.  “Thanks,” he said. 

He left the room and came back immediately with the crutches.  Grace had pulled herself up to a sitting position with her legs over the side of the bed. 

“Call me if you need help,” said Nick and he left the room, closing the door quietly behind him.

Grace dragged herself to her feet and hobbled to the closet.  She was exhausted.  She leaned the crutches on the wall and balanced on her good foot.  She quickly removed her t-shirt and bra and pulled on a long nightshirt that said, “Computer geeks do it with a hard drive”.  She reached under it and undid her skirt.  It dropped to the floor.  She started removing her underwear.  She had them halfway off when she realized that she needed the crutches before she could lift her good leg.  She reached for them and missed and they clattered to the floor noisily.

“Are you okay?” Nick called out.  “Do you need me to come in?”

“No!” Grace called back in alarm.  “No, it’s okay.  One of the crutches fell.  That’s all.” 

Grace already had a vision of Nick regaling his friends with this story.  She didn’t want him to be able to add a description of her in her stupid nightie with her underwear dangling from one leg.  She grabbed the crutches and finished undressing.  She limped back to the bed and sat down.  She removed her remaining shoe, and that was it…she was done…totally exhausted…she could do nothing more…

There was a tentative knock.  “Pizza’s here.  Grace, are you decent?”

“No, I’m crazy,” she said under her breath.  “Come on in,” she said out loud.

Nick pushed open the door and came in, carrying a pizza box with plates and napkins on top.  He took one look at her and set the whole thing on the floor.  He didn’t take time to look for a table, just put everything down at his feet and moved to her.

“Oh, boy, you’re just done in, aren’t you?” 

Grace looked up at him and smiled weakly.  Nick pulled her to her feet and held her while he reached down and yanked back the covers.  He sat her back down and arranged the pillows in a stack.  Then he lifted her up into the bed and tucked the blankets around her.  He disappeared from the room and came back, carrying a glass of water.

“Take these,” said Nick, handing her two white tablets.  Grace swallowed them, and Nick took the glass.  “You shouldn’t have beer,” he said.

“No, water’s good for me.”

Nick left and came back with a bottle of water and a beer.  He served out the pizza and sat in an armchair by the side of the bed.  He was really hungry and dove right in.  Grace was right about Antonio’s.  They did make good pizza.

“Oh, and Petey says, ‘hi’.”  Nick grinned.  “You must eat a lot of pizza.” 

“Yeah, I do.  When I’m working on a project and I’m concentrating, I don’t want to stop and cook.  So I order a large pizza, and I just fire another piece into the microwave whenever my stomach growls.”  Having eaten the pizza gave her a second wind.  Grace laughed.  “If I had ordered it, I would just have said, ‘It’s Grace.’  They would have known what to do.”

“The security guy must have told him what happened.  He seemed very concerned.  I thought he was going to insist on seeing you.”  Nick grinned.  Petey had been half his size, but he kept trying to look around Nick to find Grace.

“This building is like a little community.  Everyone looks after everyone else.   And Antonio’s is part of the community.  It’s not just a take-out pizza place.  It’s a really good Italian restaurant.  Whenever one of us has any kind of celebration – show opening, family in town, that kind of thing – we always have it there.  No thanks, I’m good…”   Grace shook her head at his offer of another slice.  “Nick, I can’t begin to thank you…”

“No, it’s okay.  I enjoyed it.  I mean…I didn’t enjoy you getting hurt, but I liked taking care of you.  I’ve never done that before.  It’s always the other way around.  People take care of me.  Okay… that’s it for you.” 

Grace’s second wind had been short-lived, and her eyelids were drifting shut.  Nick took her plate away.  He put his arm around her and pulled her forward, rearranging the pillows so that she could lay flat.

“You smell good,“ she said to his chest.

Nick smiled, wondering if she said that every time she was about to pass out.  He laid her gently back on the pillows.  “I’ll see myself out and don’t worry.  I’ll lock the door behind me.” 

When he stepped back, he could see that Grace wasn’t listening.  She was asleep.  Nick leaned down and kissed her on the forehead. 

“Goodnight, Grace Barrett,” he whispered.
Chapter 4 by old_archive
Wednesday

Grace slept for a long time.  She was usually an early riser, even after she worked late, but when she opened her eyes and looked at the clock, she saw that it was past 8:00.  She was feeling very groggy and shook her head to clear it.  She went to sit up and felt the heavy weight on her right leg. Yesterday came flooding back.

"Now, there was a day straight from hell," she thought.  But it had had its good moments too, she recalled.  A blond knight in shining armor with a killer smile and strong, safe arms.  He smelled good too, she remembered.

The day had started off with the final blow-out with Matt.  They had been heading towards it for awhile.  The more independent she became, the more he tried to control their lives.  He didn't like her job, for starters.  He couldn't understand why she did it.  He resented the fact that she made more money than he did, although he knew that hers came in fits and starts, while his was a regular salary.  He was a financial consultant and as his career grew, he would outdistance her in income, but it grated on him now.

Matt also resented the fact that she wasn't always there for him.  When she was in the middle of a project, she was reluctant to let it go and sometimes worked all night.  When he came over, in the mood for some loving, he didn't want to be rejected for some piece of machinery and he told her so. He also told her that when they were married, she would be quitting her job, or at least cutting it back to match his working hours. 

The final straw had been the Lighthouse Project.  Grace was doing it for free.  The Lighthouse Project was a charitable organization that helped people with mental breakdowns re-assimilate into the community when they were ready to leave sheltered care.  The website was to be an informational one, explaining mental illness to the general public and offering advice and assistance to those in need - directing them to accessible health-care facilities.

Sunday evening, she had been working on the project.  She had hit a sticking point -  there were too many links on the home page- she had to find a way to re-organize the main headings - and all her concentration was on the computer.

Grace had promised Matt that they would go out for dinner.  When he arrived, she was not dressed for going out.  He was angry, but she told him that she'd be ready in five minutes.  She reluctantly shut down the computer.  He poured himself a large glass of Scotch and turned on the TV.  She came out a few minutes later.

"Oh, you look good, Baby," he purred, turning off the set.  He slid his arms around her and kissed her, thrusting his tongue into her mouth and running his hands over her body.

She tilted her head back.  "Matt, you know I don't like the taste of Scotch."  She wrinkled her nose.

"Well, maybe later, you'll get to taste something else," he said, taking her hand and pressing it to his crotch, where she could feel him hardening.

"Let's go to dinner," she said, stepping away from him.  Matt knew she didn't like 'dirty talk' outside the bedroom.  It annoyed her that he had done it on purpose to pay her back for not being ready on time.

Grace tried hard at dinner, she really did.  She listened to him talk about his day at work and asked questions to show her interest.  But her mind kept drifting back to her project, seeking alternatives and turning them over in her head.  Finally, she thought she had hit upon a solution.  She was concentrating fiercely, trying to see if it would follow through successfully to the end, when she heard, "Grace!"

She looked at Matt.  His face was stony.

"Um...sorry," she said.  "I was just..."

"Yeah, you were just...I know, I know.  It's disgusting - the look you get on your face - the kind of look I'd get if I were thinking about another woman, and you're just thinking about your stupid computer!"

"Are you thinking about another woman?" she asked.

"What the fuck do you care?" he replied and signaled for the check.

They rode in silence back to her place.  Matt pulled up in front and said, "I'm not coming up.  There's no point when you're like this."

Grace opened her mouth to apologize, but he cut her off.

"I know exactly what you'll do - take me to bed and allow me to have sex with you.  You'll swivel your hips and moan and groan to make me come as fast as I can.  Then you'll wait for me to go to sleep and head back to your computer.  That's where your enjoyment lies."

"That's not fair, Matt," said Grace, but she knew there was an element of truth to it.

"Okay, I'm sorry.  It's just that I want to be with you and I know your head's not in it tonight."  He leaned over and kissed her.  "Run along and get your work done, but don't stay up all night.  Call me tomorrow at the office and we'll have lunch together. O.K.?"

"Okay."  They kissed again.  Grace got out of the car and entered the building.  Her mind was already on her project.

Monday morning, she was in a great mood.  She had worked until one in the morning and ironed out the glitch completely.  She had a good night's sleep and was ready to make it up to Matt for her behavior the night before.  She phoned his office and his secretary, Janice, informed her that he was in a meeting but was expecting to see her for lunch and that she should come to the office.

She stepped off the elevator and greeted Carol, the receptionist for the company.  She smiled and waved Grace up the hall to Matt's office.  As Grace was rounding the final corner, she heard women's laughter.

"Imagine, in this day and age, someone still wearing days-of-the-week panties.  I didn't know they still made them."

"Sure do," said a voice that Grace recognized as Janice.  "And I love them...only problem is, I've misplaced 'Thursday'!"  Loud laughter greeted this comment.

"Ahem."  Grace announced her presence with a cough. 

The other women faded quickly away.  Janice blushed, wondering how much she had heard.  Thank goodness it wasn't one of the big bosses, she thought.  She buzzed through to Matt and announced Grace's presence.  He came out immediately and took her by the hand.  He dragged her to the elevator and once inside, began kissing her fiercely.  A 'ding' announced that they had stopped at another floor and he stepped away from her, as other people boarded.  They grinned at each other all way down to the parking level.  Before he opened the car door for her, he leaned her up against it and started kissing her again.  He ground his hips against her and squeezed her breast.

"Matt, stop it," she whispered.  "Someone might see."

"Let them," he breathed.  "We're engaged, remember."  And he ran his hand up under her skirt.  She clamped her thighs together.

"Matt!"

He laughed and let her go.  "Just wanted you to know how much I missed you.  But I'll wait until later."

Whenever they met for lunch, Grace would take a taxi to the office, and then Matt would drop her off at her place.  If he didn't have any afternoon appointments, he would come up to the apartment and they would make love.  And apparently, he didn't have any appointments today.

They had lunch in a quiet restaurant and were very sweet to each other.  It seemed like the previous evening's argument had been forgotten.  On the way back to Grace's, Matt stopped for gas. While he was paying at the booth, Grace got a speck of dust in her eye and it began to water.  She searched through her purse for a tissue, but couldn't find one.  She opened the glove box to see if Matt had any.  There were no tissues - but there was a pair of white nylon panties with the word 'Thursday' embroidered neatly in red.

Grace was stunned.  She didn't know what to do.  She sat in silence the rest of the way to her place with the panties bunched in her hands.  When Matt pulled up in front of the door, she turned and threw them at him.  "Tell Janice to stop worrying.  We found Thursday."  Then she bolted from the car.  Matt started to get out of the car.  Grace turned to him and said, "Don't.  Don't ever come near me again."  She stopped in the lobby long enough to tell Gary that under no circumstances was Matt allowed to enter the building and then she went upstairs to have a good cry.

Except she didn't.  She waited for the tears to come, but they didn't.  She was angry and she was hurt, but she wasn't destroyed.  Why was that? she wondered.

Matt called her that night and Grace said she didn't want to talk to him.  He insisted.  He could explain, he said.  Fine, she said, go ahead.  He told her that he had been distraught the night before.  He had really wanted to make love to her and it frustrated him that she was so unavailable.  So when he had left her, he had phoned Janice and they had gone for a ride - just to talk, he said, but then one thing led to another and...

"...and her panties ended up in your glove box."

Well, yeah, he admitted.  That was kind of what happened.

"And somehow, this is all my fault," said Grace, "...that her panties ended up in your glove box.  This is all my fault?"

"Grace, you're overreacting..." he began.

"Overreacting?" Grace screamed at him.  Then she calmed down as icy realization came to her.  "It's not the first time, is it Matt?" she asked in a dull voice.  She doubted that Janice wore her Thursday panties on Sunday.

There was silence.

"Aw, come on, don't lie to me at this point," she said, "It wasn't the first time, was it?"

"No," he admitted reluctantly.

"How often?" She didn't really want to know, but had to ask.

'I fucked her every time I couldn't fuck you," he answered.

Grace hung up the phone and yanked it from the wall.


******************************

The next morning she plugged it back in and it rang immediately.  It was Matt.

"Don't hang up!" he said.  "You owe me that much - listen to me."  So she did, but it didn't seem to matter how many ways he tried to explain things, it always seemed to come back to being her fault.  Finally, she had had enough.

"Look, Matt, I'm sure you would like to make this all my fault somehow, but the bottom line is...you slept with someone else, so it's over.  We are no longer engaged. In fact, we no longer know each other.  Come and get your things and bring back my keys."  And she hung up.  She paced the apartment for awhile waiting for the tears, but again, none came.  So she went for a walk to clear her head.  And that's when she met Nick.
Chapter 5 by old_archive
Grace dragged herself out of bed and made her way to the big room, as she thought of it.  She loved her apartment.  It frustrated Matt that she wouldn't let him move in, but she just couldn't bring herself to share this precious space.

You could tell a lot about the occupant of the apartment by the layout.  To the left of the front door was a kitchen area with a counter and high-backed stools.  There was no part of the room that served as a dining room, no table and chairs.  Behind the kitchen at the back of the loft were the bedroom and bathroom, the only areas with walls.  The rest of the apartment was one big room.  The wall at the far end was completely windows.  The wall along the back had windows along the upper half and bookshelves beneath.  In the far corner was Grace's office, a hi-tech dream with the latest equipment and lots of it.  The large open space in the middle had a couple of sofas and chairs arranged in comfortable groupings from which one could enjoy the magnificent ocean view or the video system.   An up-to-date stereo system sat on the wall just inside the door, surrounded by, of course, bookcases.  The floors were hardwood, wide oak boards with a glossy veneer.  Bright, woven area rugs defined the seating areas.

Grace headed for the kitchen where she found a note from Nick, telling her that the coffee maker was set and ready - just hit the button...and...I'll call you tomorrow.   She had to push down the thrill those words gave her when she realized that tomorrow was today.  She looked around the kitchen.  The dishes from last night were washed and neatly stacked on the counter.  The pizza box was in the recycling bin and when she opened the fridge, she found the remains in a plastic container with a note - "Do not open until stomach growls."  She laughed.  What a sweet guy!

Well, you'd better get over that, she said to herself, he wouldn't be interested in a mess like you.


******************************


Nick arrived at the studio expecting to get hell from the others and he was not disappointed.  He leaned against the wall and let them have their say.  Kevin started it off.  "We are in a group business here and there were decisions that had to be made by the group...and you weren't here..."

Nick interrupted him.  "Can those decisions still be made today?"

"Yes, but..."

"Then the world didn't end.  Next!"

The others were shocked.  No one ever spoke to Kevin like that.  He was Train, their leader, the guy who always knew what was best for them.

Howie expressed concern that Nick knew nothing about this girl - maybe she was setting him up or something.  Brian worried that it would be all over the Internet and rumors would spiral out of control.  He wanted a plan, maybe a joint statement. AJ's concerns were a little more down-to-earth.  "I'm a little worried, Nicky, that you are so hard up for a woman that you have taken to running them down with your car."

Nick laughed and gave AJ a high five.

"Tell us about it," said Brian, and even though Kevin looked impatiently at his watch, the others looked expectantly at Nick.  And so he told them everything that had happened the day before.  By the time he was finished, they all knew that something had happened to him beyond just meeting a new girl.  They hadn't heard Nick talk this way about anyone since...well, since never.  During the whole description, he had never once mentioned any of her physical attributes beyond 'nice legs'.  This was totally out of character for him.  Nick not only judged a book by its cover, he rarely opened the book to see what was inside.  And now, he had described an entire afternoon and evening with a girl without mentioning height, weight, hair color or scale of one-to-ten.

"Is she pretty?"  AJ wanted to know.

"Yeah, I guess.  Yeah, when she smiles...oh yeah!"

"How old is she?"  Kevin, the fact man.

"I think she might be a bit older than me."  Glances exchanged all around.  "Maybe 25.  I couldn't really tell.  But she just seemed to have her life together - this great apartment and her own business."  They had all been impressed by her business.  They all knew how to use a computer, but to actually design a site - that was way beyond them.

"And what about the fiancé?" Howie asked gently.  "I mean, if they only broke up that morning..."

"He cheated on her," said Nick, matter-of-factly.  That was enough.  It was the one thing they agreed on.  You cheated, you paid the price.

"Look," said Nick.  "You guys are reading way too much into this.  I never said I was interested in her.   I was only telling you what happened.  Can't a guy rescue a girl without it being some big, romantic thing?"  More glances exchanged.  No, Nick, they thought, apparently it can't.

They talked business for awhile, tossing around numbers and demographics, and then took a break at eleven.  Nick left the room.  As soon as he was out of earshot, the others all started talking at once.  What do you think?  Do you think he'll ask her out?  Do you think she's for real?

Finally, AJ said, "How long will it be before Kevin wrecks it?"  They all stopped talking and looked at him.  Kevin?  Wrecks it?  What was AJ talking about?  Kevin glared at him.  "Face it, Train," said AJ, with a shrug.  "Nick is your little brother and there isn't a girl out there that is good enough for him in your eyes."

"That's not true," retorted Kevin.  "I'm sure he'll find someone wonderful some day.  But he hasn't yet."

"Maybe yes, maybe no.  But it should be his decision.  If he decides to pursue something with this girl, you should stay out of it."

"Well, of course," said Kevin.  "I would never interfere."  The others all looked at each other.  No one said anything and no one laughed.  No one was brave enough for that.

******************************

Nick had left the room because he wanted to call Grace.  He hoped that she had slept well.  She sure needed it after the day she had had.  He figured she'd be awake by 11:00.  She answered on the first ring.

"Style and Grace."

"Wow, that was fast!  You sure learned how to get around on those crutches!"

She laughed, "No, Nick.  I have a headset phone, so I can talk and work on the computer at the same time."

"Oh, I see.  Well, um...good morning!"

"Good morning to you."

"How are you feeling?  Did you sleep well?  Does your leg hurt?"

"Okay, Dr. Carter, here's the report.  Feeling a little shaky...probably the after-effects of the pain pills.  Slept like a log...also probably the pills.  Leg hurts a little.  Very frustrated by the crutches.  And you sir, are an absolute angel."

"No, I'm not.  I just wanted to do the right thing."

"Well, it was very sweet.  I mean, doing the dishes and everything."

"Hey, I said I couldn't cook.  I didn't say I was a total loss in the kitchen.  I did dishes when I was a kid."  Careful, he thought.  Don't remind her how young you are.

"I'm glad to hear you didn't have a misspent youth.  You know, leave home at thirteen and join the circus, or a pop group."

"Sometimes, they're the same thing," he said grimly.

"Uh oh, did you get in trouble for helping me and missing the meeting?"

"Well, it's not like I got sent to the principal's office."  Dammit.  Another kid reference.   What are you doing, Nick?

"But they didn't appreciate your Good Samaritan act as much as I did?"

"No...well, they're glad you're okay and everything, but they worry.  There's a lot of weirdos out there and..."

"...and I might be one of them.  I understand that perfectly.  Would they like a note from my mom?"  She was laughing.  "Or copies of my college diploma?  Maybe a sample of my DNA?"

Nick laughed.  "Yeah, Kevin would probably like that.  He worries the most."

"He's the oldest.  I guess it's his job."

She could hear voices in the background.  Come on, Nick, time to get back to work.

"Well, I guess you have to go.  Thanks for checking up on me."

"Listen, I...I was wondering...get lost, AJ!  Listen, Grace..."  Suddenly, all she could hear was muffled sound and the odd word...'Kevin'...'now'...

"Grace?" said AJ's distinctive voice.

"Yes?"

"What color is your hair?"

"Light brown."

"Eyes?"

"Dark brown."

"Age?"

"25 next month."

"Height?"

"5'6"."

"Weight?"

"None of your damned business!"

"Okay.  Cool."  And the connection went dead.


******************************

Grace spent the rest of the day learning how to do things the most efficient way with the crutches, and talking on the phone.  Matt called at noon.  Don't hang up, he said quickly.  I just want to see how your leg is.  She gave him a brief description of the mishap and told him she was fine.

"Look, Grace, that guy...you know, it might not be a good idea...you know, to jump into something too soon."

"Matt, I'm not jumping into anything.  He helped me out and he brought me home.  End of story.  And it's none of your business anyway."

"Of course, it's my business.  I love you.  And you love me.  I know you do.  As much as you can love anyone.  I was wrong.  I know that.  People make mistakes, Grace."

"Yeah, well, you made a big one."

"I know that, and I know it will take time for you to forgive me.  I'm willing to give that time, but I want you to give it too.  Let's not tell your parents yet.  There's no need to worry them unnecessarily.  And don't take up with someone else too soon."

"Look, Matt..."

"And who was that guy, anyway?  He looked familiar, but I couldn't..."  He heard the click as Grace severed the connection.

******************************

Grace called her mother right after that.  She didn't mention the engagement, just told her about her foot.  She could hear the maternal instinct kick in all the way from Ohio.  Was she okay?  Did Grace need her to come?  What did the doctors say?  What did Matt say?

Grace listened to the barrage of questions and waited for her mother to pause for breath.  Then she jumped in and reassured her that she was fine, no Mom, stay there, Dad needs you more than me, three to four weeks in a cast and then maybe some physiotherapy.

Grace had learned early on how to have a phone conversation with her mother.  Joan Barrett sat in Ohio (actually she rarely sat, but was on the move the entire day) and thought of things she wanted to say to her daughter.  When they would have their weekly chat, she would fire off a set of questions and Grace would answer as many as she could before the next batch came rolling down the wire.  Her older sister, Julie, was a naturalist working in Australia and Joan had no access to her.  Grace had to do double duty as a daughter. 

Interspersed with the questions were bits of maternal wisdom and information about her dad.  Have you been to any good shows?  Dad and I went to see Star Wars.  Why don't you get a real job?  The special effects were good.  Are you eating okay? Dad says he thinks you'd like it.

Grace thought of these weekly calls as contests.  Could she give her mother the true answers to her questions and still maintain her own dignity and independence?  Or would she let something slip that would have her mother sprinting to the airport?

What Grace did not realize was that her mother was much better at this contest than she was.  Her mother listened carefully to every phrase and nuance, but mostly she listened to see which questions Grace chose not to answer.  And today, it was the question about Matt.

"Are you really okay, honey?"  Genuine concern floated over the air.

"Yeah, Mom.  I'm fine.  I just have to learn some patience.  It's not my best thing, you know.  Or yours, for that matter.  I can't picture you on crutches."

They laughed together and Grace told her mom she was going to take a pain pill and have a nap.  Tell Dad not to worry.  I'm fine.
Chapter 6 by old_archive
Grace did lay down for an hour, but she didn't take a pain pill.  She hated medication, hated anything that would fog her mind.  She didn't even drink, beyond occasional wine at dinner.  When she got up, she went back to the computer.  She had spent the morning there finishing up the Lighthouse Project.  She was ready to show it to the Board and get their approval to publish it on the web.

She sat down at the keyboard and looked at the screen.  She didn't feel like starting anything new.  She clicked Explorer open.  She opened her favorite news site and read the daily headlines.   She checked out the sports page to see how the Reds were doing.  Her fingers moved idly over the keyboard and she realized that she had typed something in the Search line - Backstreet Boys.  Her hand hovered over the mouse.  Should she?  Click!  Holy Mother of God!  Look at them all.  She started scrolling down - there was an official site, information sites that promised photos, bios and discography.  And fan sites - hundreds of them.  She spent the next couple of hours wandering around the Backstreet part of the web.  Not much wonder they were afraid of weirdos.  There were people out there devoting their lives to these men.

Grace had always been a fan of the music, but this went way beyond that.  Some of these people had adopted them into their daily lives, knew every move they made, had special newsgroups to inform them of any mention of them.  And fanfiction!  Grace couldn't even go there!  She wondered if the Boys knew what was out there!

At four o'clock, the phone rang.

"Style and Grace."

"I like that - the way you answer the phone."

"Well, it's the name of my company," she said, a little overwhelmed by the swarm of butterflies in her stomach.

"It's Nick.  I'm sorry we got cut off earlier.  AJ can be such a goof sometimes."

"That's okay.  I know you had to work."

"Yeah, we got a lot done.  How was your day?"

"No crutches have been thrown through a window yet, but it was a close thing once or twice."

He laughed.  "Now don't be doing that.  You have a lot of windows.  Maybe you should stay on the other side of the room."

"Oh, sure, the kitchen," she retorted.  "There's a plan.  Just sit and eat for three weeks."

He recalled the feel of her in his arms.  Maybe it wouldn't hurt her to eat for three weeks.  She was a bit skinny.  "Well, do you need any groceries or anything?  I could pick some up for you."

"No, I'm good.  I have a delivery service."

"Oh, okay."  The disappointment in his voice thrilled her.

"But...um...I do need a couple of pieces of furniture pushed around...to make it easier to get around."

"I'll come over and do that for you."

"Are you sure?  You've done so much."

"No problem.  And I'll bring dinner.  Not pizza.  What about Chinese?"

"Sounds great.  I like everything."

"Terrific.  I can even do chopsticks.  I'll see you around 7:00."


******************************

When Nick arrived, Grace had set out plates and chopsticks.  He insisted that she sit down and let him serve.  He had beer and she had water again.  They sat on the stools at the kitchen counter and chatted amicably about his day.  She asked questions about the technical side of things.  He guessed that shouldn't surprise him. She seemed to be into that kind of thing.  He explained that the meetings they were having this week were more about business than music.  They had their own company, KBNHA, as well as Backstreet to think about.  He said that it was hard being in charge of your own company and he asked about hers.

Grace told him that she had set it up six months ago.  Before that, she had worked for someone else, but she didn't feel she was getting enough credit for her work or enough say in the final decision.  Even when she worked for someone else, she had worked from home, though.

"So does it bother you to work and live in the same place?  Do you ever get sick of it?"  Nick longed for the day when he could stay in the same place long enough to get sick of it.

"No, I go out a lot.  It works out great.  Most people work all day and at the end of it, they can't wait to get home and stay there.  At the end of my work day, I'm ready for a change too, and that means going out.  I love the movies, theatre, all kind of music, sports.

"What sports?  Football?  Basketball?"  Nick perked up at the mention of sports.

"I like all sports.  But I love baseball.  Cincinnati is my team - the Big Red Machine."

Nick dropped the chopsticks on his plate.  He had enjoyed the food and was glad to see that Grace had eaten a plateful as well.

"Now, where's that furniture that needs moving?"  Nick stood up and looked around the room.   He hoped it wasn't going to be a bookcase.  He had never seen so many books in one place.  Grace pointed out a table and armchair that needed to be moved back a few inches.  They didn't really.  That was just her excuse for seeing him.  She thought the ploy terribly transparent, but he didn't seem to mind.

He moved the furniture and then wandered over to her work area.  Wow!  This was impressive.  He didn't even know the names of half the - what were they called? - peripherals.  "I'd like to see your work...one of your websites," he said to her.

"There's a list on the bulletin board.  It's kind of like my resume.  I'm always on-line, so just type one in.  I'll be right back."  Grace headed for the bathroom.

Nick sat down at the keyboard.  He looked at the list.  Typing was not his best thing.  He always goofed up on a web address - forgot a dot or a slash or something.  He went to the History icon.  Maybe she had already been at one of these sites today.  He clicked and his stomach dropped.  Oh no! Line after line of Backstreet Boys.  He scrolled down.  There must have been fifty of them.

"How do you live with it?" she asked.  He jumped.  She was standing behind him.  Oh, for Pete's sake, Nick.  What do you think - she's a stalker?

"What do you mean?" he asked.  He swiveled the chair around to look at her.

"I looked up your official site today, just to check it out, from a professional point of view, and I found...this."  She waved her hand at the screen.  "Doesn't it make you nervous?"

"They're our fans.  Where would we be without our fans?"  He shrugged.

"Fans, yes...but Nick, some of these people want to own you, and some of them think they do!"  Shut up, she told herself.  What are you trying to do, scare him?

"We don't look at most of it.  Our publicists have that awful job.  They track all the crap and the rumors so that we can be ready to deal with it.  The fan sites always have the news before the real media, so it kinda gives us a heads up."

"I guess, but...how do you know when someone is real...and not, you know, just a fan?"

Nick smiled up at her.  "Sometimes good things leap out in front of you." 

Grace laughed and ruffled his hair.  "You're sweet."  Then she sighed.  "I guess you're used to it.  Today was the first time I'd seen it and it was very shocking."

Nick felt a surge of relief wash through him.  He stood up and ushered her to a couch.  "So what did you think of our website - professionally speaking?"  He took the crutches from her and leaned them up against a pillar.

Grace wrinkled her nose.  "It isn't very good.  It's difficult to get into and to move around in.  But it's not you guys, is it?  It's the record company."

"Yeah, they have control of it.  And we can't set up our own.  It's in our contract."

"Well, maybe there's something you learned for when you negotiate your next contract.  I mean, when you signed this one, websites were just becoming the thing to do.  If you even had one, it was amazing.  Now, you really have to have a good one to make it work."  She braced her weight on her hands to shift herself to a more comfortable position.  She winced.

"Are you okay?  Is it your leg?" he asked.

"No, my leg is fine.  It's my hands, from the crutches.  I guess they're not toughened up yet."

Nick picked up her hand and looked at her palm.  He stroked it lightly with his fingertips.  "Yes, it's very soft," he said, half to himself.

Grace's mouth went dry.  The sensation in her hand raced up her arm to her brain and froze it.  Nick looked at her face.

"Hey, you're beat!  I'll get going.  Do you need any help getting to bed?  I mean..." he blushed.

"No, no.  I can do it," she answered.  She thought her voice sounded funny, but he didn't seem to notice.

Nick grabbed the crutches from their spot on the pillar.  He held them in one hand and reached the other to her.  Grace grabbed it and Nick pulled her up on her good foot.  She swayed forward too far and lost her balance.  He let go of her hand and wrapped his arm around her.

"Steady there," he whispered.  They stood together for a moment.  Then she broke away from him and reached for the crutches. 

She walked him to the door.  "I seem to spend all my time thanking you, but once again..."

"There's no need.  Again, I enjoyed it.  Now you take care and get a good night's sleep.  I'll call you tomorrow."  Nick brushed his lips across her cheek and was gone.

Grace closed the door behind him and leaned against it for a moment.  She put her hand up to her cheek where he had kissed her.  Then she looked over at the computer.  No, she didn't feel like it tonight.  She was going to bed early.  She laughed to herself.  Wouldn't Matt be surprised if he knew that?


******************************

Nick drove over to Brian's place.  He phoned when he left Grace's to see if Brian was home.  Yeah, said Brian.  Leighanne is out with the girls and I'm minding the dogs and watching the game.  Come on over.

Nick was relieved to hear that Leighanne wasn't home.  He liked her and everything and he was really happy for Brian, but...well, Brian was a different person when she was around.  Not in a bad way, just more subdued, less fun.

Brian got Nick a beer and they watched the game for awhile, exclaiming over certain plays and arguing with the referee.  At a commercial, Brian went to get them another beer.  "So were you over at Grace's?"

"Yeah, I helped her rearrange some furniture and we had some dinner - Chinese."

"You like her, don't you?" asked Brian softly.  He loved this young man more than anyone but Leighanne and his mother.  He wanted Nick to find the happiness that he had.  Brian would give up the whole Backstreet thing in a minute if it meant losing one bit of what he had with his wife and it was his sincere wish that all his Backstreet brothers could find the same thing, especially this one.

"Yeah, I do," sighed Nick, "but..."

"But?"  Brian urged gently.

"But...I don't know if I'm just getting a kick out of taking care of her, you know, be on that side of it for a change, instead of being the one that's looked after.  Because I have to say, I'm getting a huge charge out of it.  I love doing stuff for her.  I mean, I'm sorry she's hurt and all..."

Brian understood.   He'd been there.  "Well, maybe you have to see her in another situation.  Not at her place.  Get her on your turf.  See how she does there."

Nick nodded.  That sounded like a good idea.
Chapter 7 by old_archive
Thursday

"Style and Grace.  Good morning."

"Good morning.  It's Nick.  How are you feeling today?"

Great, since I heard your voice, thought Grace.  Out loud, she said, "Terrific.  I slept really well.  I barely notice the cast at all any more."

"Great!  Well, it's time to get you out in the real world.  Put on some shorts, we're going to the ocean."

"Oh, Nick.  I'll never be able to manage a beach with crutches."

"We're not going to a beach.  We're going to a boat.  My boat."

"Are you a good boat driver, or whatever the proper term would be?  If I fall overboard, I will sink like a rock!"

"Then I'll tie you to the railing.  Seriously, it will be fine.  Do you want to go?"

"I'd love to.  I'll get out my sunscreen!"

"Great.  I'll pick you up in an hour."

Grace turned to her computer.  Well, baby, she told it, you're not going to get much action today.  She was in the process of roughing out a new project.  This was usually an exciting time, but she turned her back on it with no regrets.

She got ready and was just putting the finishing touches on her makeup when the phone rang.  Her heart dropped.  Please, don't let it be him canceling.

"Style and Grace," she said hopefully.

"Hey, Baby."  It was Matt.  "How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine," she said coolly. 

"I figured you might be a little stir crazy so I'm going to pick you up and take you to lunch."

"NO!  I mean, no, you're not.  Matt, I meant what I said.  I don't want to see you."

"Look, Grace.  We need to talk about this."

"No, Matt.  We don't need to talk about it.  Because every time we talk, you try and make it my fault...my problem.  Now, I know you were there for me when I needed you, but I've changed.  I'm more in control of my life now."

"You think so?  Then how do you explain...?"  There was a knock at the door.

"I have to go, Matt."  She hung up.

Matt Lowry stared at the dead phone in his hand.  What was going on here?  Grace would never have done this to him before.  He headed for the door.  "I'm going out, Janice.  I'll call in."


******************************

The knock at the door was not Nick.  It was Petey.  He was holding a wicker picnic basket.

"Hi, Ms. Barrett," he said shyly.  "How's your foot?"

"It's okay, Petey.  Thanks for asking."

Petey shifted from one foot to the other.  He was an awkward teenager.  Although he was seventeen, he hadn't hit his final growth spurt, and he was shy about his height. He didn't want to be a giant.  He only wanted to be 5''7".  Grace was 5'6".  Petey would settle for 5''7".

"What's this?" she asked, indicating the basket.

"Didn't you order it?" he asked, looking confused.

"No," she said, "What's in it?"

"I'm not supposed to say," he said, "Just give it to you."  He thought about that for a moment.  "That doesn't make any sense, does it?"

"It makes perfect sense," said Nick, coming up behind Petey.  "I ordered it," he said to Grace.  "Are you ready?"  He took the basket from Petey and slipped a $10. bill into his hand. 

Grace nodded and pulled on a sunhat.  Nick picked up her beach bag and carried it in the same hand as the basket.  The three of them went down in the elevator together.  No one said anything.  When they went out the front door, both Nick and Petey tried to hold the door open for Grace.  Nick won and a disgruntled Petey was left standing fingering the ten dollar bill and staring after them with unhappy eyes.

"What do you think, Petey?  New guy in town?" asked Gary.  Petey wasn't sure if Gary was making fun of him.

"What happened to the other one?" Petey asked. 

"They broke up apparently.  The same day she got hurt.  She doesn't seem to be missing him too badly."  They both watched as Nick helped Grace into the car.  They were laughing about something.  Petey's eyes narrowed.  He wondered if it was him.


******************************

As they were pulling into the parking lot at the marina, Nick sighed.  "I have to warn you, Grace.  There might be fans."

She grinned at him.  "You mean you publicized our...outing?"  She substituted for the word 'date' at the last second.

Nick smiled back at her.  My God, what a mouth! thought Grace.  "No," said Nick, "it's just that they know I keep my boat here and sometimes they hang around, you know, in case I show up."  He shrugged apologetically.  "It's supposed to be private, but..."

"Well, if you are planning on running from them, I'm going to be a serious handicap," laughed Grace.

Nick helped her out of the car.  "No, I don't run from them.  I try to be patient and sign stuff and let them take my picture.  But if it bothers you..."

"Just as long as they don't tip me into the bay in their rush to get to you."

They walked up the path to the marina entrance.  Nick waved to the security guard who waved back and buzzed the gate open.  As they were walking along the jetty, they were both thinking the same thing.  Grace's crutches freed them from making the decision whether or not to hold hands.  Neither of them was quite sure what kind of 'outing' this was.  Both of them thought they were fairly sure what they wanted it to be, maybe, sort of.

When they reached the boat, called Answer to My Life, Grace looked at the swaying vessel and then at Nick.  It was a cabin cruiser, she thought.  She really didn't know much about boats.  It was pretty big.  Could one person run it? 

Nick stepped gracefully onto the deck and set down the picnic basket and her bag.  He turned back and held out his hand.  "Give me the crutches," he said. 

Grace handed them over and balanced on her good foot.  She was beginning to have doubts about this whole operation.  Nick set down the crutches and then stepped back up onto the dock. He picked her up in his arms.  He could sense her nervousness.  "Trust me," he whispered and stepped down onto the boat.  Grace could feel it sway a little and she tensed, but Nick set her gently on her feet.  He smiled down into her eyes.  "See, you're safe.  Now, why don't you sit over here?  I have to do stuff."  He helped her up to a padded seat beside the wheel, the co-pilot's chair, she thought.  It was fairly high up, so he could see to drive, she guessed.  Getting down from here would be a challenge.  She smiled to herself.  Well, he would just have to help her with that.  There was an awning over the top, so she took off her hat.

Nick disappeared through a doorway leading to the cabin and reappeared a moment later without the basket or her bag.  Nick had called ahead and the boat was all ready for him.  The harbormaster had sent one of his assistants down to help them shove off.  Nick checked some gauges and things on an instrument panel that looked to Grace that it wouldn't be out of place in the cockpit of a jumbo jet.  Nick started the engines and played with the gauges some more.  Then he started undoing the mooring ropes.  The assistant helped him by untying the ones at the front and throwing them up on the deck.  Then he pushed on the front of the boat to help it turn out into the bay.  Nick turned and grinned at Grace.  "Here we go!" 

He pushed the throttle forward and the boat started cutting its way through the water.  It moved fairly slowly until it was away from the marina, and then it picked up speed on open water.  They cruised for about an hour in a wide semi-circle.  They ended up in another bay.  Nick slowed the boat down and then stopped it.  He dropped the anchor.  Grace thought he would have to pick it up and throw it over the side, but apparently it just came out of the bottom of the boat automatically.  Please don't let me appear too stupid, she asked some unknown deity of the sea.

"Are you hungry?" asked Nick.  Grace shrugged.  "Well, I am," he laughed.  "Let's see what Antonio has done for us."  He disappeared through the doorway (hatchway? she wondered) and returned with the basket.  He also had two bottles of water in his hand.  "This okay?"  She nodded and looked inquiringly at his choice of beverage.

"I never drink when I'm driving," he said, "...driving anything."

"Good plan," she said.

"Yeah," he responded, "It would kill the group if one of us got caught for that.  I mean, the fans forgive a lot, but that's just so irresponsible.  Wow!  Look at this."  He had opened the picnic basket and was peering inside.  He looked around at the boat.  There was no way Grace could make it along the edge to sit on the deck at the front.  So...he disappeared again and returned with a red checkered tablecloth. 

"My mother gave me this," he said sheepishly, and spread it on the deck.  Then he helped Grace down from the chair and had her sit on the back deck leaning up against the cushioned seats at the back.  He sat down beside her and started lifting things out of the basket.  Antonio had outdone himself, she saw.  There was a lovely crisp salad with a variety of red and green lettuces and baby spinach.  A jar held a vinaigrette dressing.  There was a dish of marinated cauliflower and broccoli.  Another lid was lifted to reveal a thermal dish holding steaming tortellini in a delicate pink sauce with shrimp.

"I don't eat this good when I go out, never mind on a picnic," said Nick.  "I'm not even sure I know what all this is."  He held up the salad.  "I've never seen some of these leaves before.  Are you sure we can eat them?"

"I told you Antonio was super.  Yes, you can eat them.  They're just like lettuce only with a bit more pungency to them."

"And that's a good thing, I guess?"  Nick had never heard the word 'pungency'.  "This smells good."  Another lid lifted, another delight revealed.  This time, a round flat loaf of warm focaccia bread.

Grace laughed.  "I knew that would be in there somewhere.  Antonio knows I'm addicted to his focaccia.  Tear off a bit and taste it.  You'll see."

Nick tore a small chunk out of the loaf and popped it into his mouth.  "Mmmmmmmmmm," he said.  "That's fantastic."

"Told ya."  She grinned at him.  "Did he pack any plates in there?  Or forks?"

"No, but I'm telling you, I run a high-class establishment here."  He disappeared down below again and returned with plates, utensils and checked napkins that matched the tablecloth.

"I'm not sure why Mom picked these out for me.  They are so NOT me."

"Maybe she thinks you'll open a café in France after you retire from show business."

"That's a long way away.  I'm only 22."  Bite off your tongue right now, Carter, and throw it in the ocean, he thought.  What the hell did you say that for? 

But Grace didn't react adversely.  She merely said, "Well, then I guess you'll be working a few more years.  It would really be spitting in the face of fate to retire that young.  I'll be 25 next month."

"Yes, I know.  AJ told me."  They both laughed as they recalled AJ's little phone quiz.

Nick began serving out the food and they sat beside each other enjoying the meal and each other's company.  They talked about lots of things, pausing every now and then to exclaim over some new taste sensation.  Nick wanted to know about Grace's business - how did you go about setting up a webpage?  Actually, he wanted to know about Grace's ex-fiancé, but he certainly wasn't going to ask.  Grace asked him about KBNHA - was it difficult to always have four other people involved in decisions?  Did each person's vote carry the same weight?

"Yeah, each person's vote carries the same weight, but not each person's voice, if you know what I mean.  When we first start, Kevin tends to be the leader, directing the discussion.  Not forcing us to see things his way, but just keeping us on track.  Some people have a tendency to get silly."  He raised his hand, acknowledging his own guilt in that area.  "Howie is usually quiet until he hears what everyone else has to say and then he says what he thinks.  He goes along usually with what the majority wants, but if he really feels strongly about something, he won't budge.  AJ is the devil's advocate.  You can always count on him to throw out some weird idea - just to see where it goes.  And you'd be amazed how often we end up actually doing some variation of what he suggested.  Brian is honest and says what he thinks, but lately..." He stopped talking.  He didn't want to be disloyal to his best friend.

"There's been a bit of a change since he got married?" queried Grace.

"Yeah, kind of.  But I guess there should be, shouldn't there?"  Both of them realized at the same moment what path they were heading down and looked for a way to change the subject.  An errant cloud helped them out.  As the shadow passed overhead, Grace shivered.

"Are you cold?  Should we be getting back?" asked Nick.

"No, I'm fine.  Nick, this has been lovely, more than lovely."

"The best is yet to come," he said, "you're going to take us back."

"What?" Grace looked for a sign that he was kidding.  None came.  Nick stood up and gathered all the picnic things into the basket.  Then he held out his hand to her and hauled her to her feet.  He stepped behind her and let her use his arms as crutches as he propelled her to the pilot's seat.  He hit some switch which moved it out of the way. 

"We'll do this better standing, I think," he said.  "Put your hands on the wheel." 

Grace tentatively reached out and touched the polished mahogany. 

"Go on," said Nick, "get a good grip.  I'm right behind you.  I'll hold you up."  He placed his left arm around her waist and whispered instructions in her ear.  With his right hand, he touched switches and pointed at gauges, explaining them to her.  He pulled up the anchor and the boat immediately began moving with the waves.  "Ready?"

Grace nodded.  Oh yeah, sure, I'm ready.  With you standing so close to me, I can barely concentrate on breathing.  How am I supposed to drive a big boat?

Nick put his hand on the throttle and slowly eased it forward.  Grace tensed but Nick spoke soothing words and eventually she got the hang of it.  It was open water, after all, not rush hour traffic.  After a few minutes, she relaxed and began enjoying herself.

Once he felt Grace relax, Nick actually tensed up.  When he could stop concentrating on driving the boat, he became aware of everything about her - how great her hair smelled, how pleasant it was to hold her, how very kissable the back of her neck looked.

They spent a very pleasant hour, each of them thinking thoughts they would never say out loud.  The shore line came into view.  Suddenly, Grace gasped.  "Oh, my God, where did they come from?"  Two jetskis ripped through the water beside them.

"Welcome home committee," replied Nick.  "It happens sometimes.  The word goes out that I went out on the boat and they wait for me to come back."

"You take over," said Grace.  "I don't want to hit anything or anyone."

"Okay," said Nick and with one motion, he lifted her into the captain's chair at his side.  Then he stood at the wheel and maneuvered the boat into the harbor.  He ignored the calls of the girls on the jetskis that were circling the boat and concentrated on what he was doing.  Grace thought the girls were coming awfully close to the boat, but Nick seemed calm.   He sensed her unease.  "They do it all the time," he said, staring straight ahead and focusing on the pier.  He pulled back on the throttle and the boat began to slow.

Suddenly, as quickly as they had appeared, the girls were gone.  "What happened?" asked Grace, not really wanting them to come back, but wondering where they went.

"They went in.  They'll be waiting for us on the dock, probably with cameras in hand."

"How will you get me off the boat?" asked Grace.

"Same way I got you on."  Nick looked sideways for a moment and grinned.

Grace didn't know what to think.  She had learned yesterday that everything he did went on the Internet.  A picture of him carrying someone from his boat would be a hot item, for sure.  So you'd better decide, she said to herself.  Can you deal with this?  Aw hell, she thought, it's the new me, I can deal with anything.  "Maybe this time, I'll carry you, what do you think...good idea?"

They both laughed and Nick throttled the boat down to almost nothing.  They were approaching the dock.  Grace took a deep breath.
Chapter 8 by old_archive
It wasn’t as bad as Grace thought it would be.  The harbormaster wouldn’t allow the girls to come right to the boat, so Nick got Grace off without any fuss.  As they made their way up the jetty to the public area, they could hear girlish squeals and laughter. 

“You have to tell me what to do,” said Grace, a touch of panic edging into her voice.  “What do you want me to do?”

Nick stopped walking.  Grace stopped too.  He stepped in front of her so that she was shielded from the entrance.  He looked down at her and his eyes were serious. 

"First and foremost, understand this.  I had a great time with you, Grace.  And I would really hate it if the next five minutes colored your view of me.  They probably won't talk to you.  They don't care about you.  Oh God, that sounds so awful."  She shook her head, no, go on.  "Just keep moving.  Keep your head down.  I'll do the rest.  Okay?"

She nodded at him.  "I had a great time, too."

They looked at each other.  A kiss would have been entirely appropriate at this moment, but they both knew they couldn't risk it.  Nick turned back toward the entrance.   He pushed the door opened and shepherded Grace through.  Then he stayed a half step ahead of her as the girls converged on them.  Grace kept her head down and kept moving forward.  Nick was wonderful with the crowd.  He smiled and spoke and let them take his picture, but he didn't slow his pace, just kept moving forward.   He signed a couple of autograph books that were thrust in front of him and then they were through the door to the VIP parking area. 

"You okay, Grace?" were his first words.  She was touched by that.

"I'm good.  You were right.  I was invisible.  Cool."

"You think it's cool?"  Nick seemed surprised by her answer.

"Why wouldn't I think that?" she queried.  "Why would I want to go through that?  I'm nobody."

"First off, you're not 'nobody'..." 

Grace shrugged and waved her hand in dismissal.  You know what I mean.

"Second, many of the girls I've dated would have been totally pissed to be ignored like that."

"Really.  How many of them did you go out with twice?"  Stupid thing to say, you moron, she chastised herself.  He hasn't asked you out twice.

"Good point," laughed Nick.  "Yeah, it's kind of a test sometimes.  And by the way, you passed with flying colors."

They drove home without talking.  Nick put on the radio and they listened to music.  Grace was pretty tired out by the day and fell asleep halfway home.  When they arrived at her apartment, Nick was reluctant to wake her.  She looked serene when she was asleep.  Some people fell asleep with their mouth gaping open or made weird breathing noises.  But not Grace.  She just leaned her head back and drifted off.  Nick wondered if she would tell him he smelled good as she came awake.  Or maybe she only did that as she was passing out. 

He turned off the engine and went around to her side.  He opened the door and leaned in.  "Grace," he said softly.  "Grace, wake up, we're home."  He reached in and touched her arm.

"Mmm..." she said, opening her eyes.  She couldn't figure out where she was.  She turned her head sideways and saw Nick.   She was instantly awake.  "Oh, I can't believe I did that." 

"It's okay," he said.  "The sun and breeze do it to you.  If I hadn't been driving, I might have done the same."  He helped her out of the car.   She shook her head to clear the cobwebs.  He reached in and grabbed the picnic basket and her bag.   They went into the building and made their way across the lobby.  Grace gave a small wave at Gary. 

The security guard smiled back.  "Hope you wore your sunscreen," he called out.  She nodded at him.  They waited for the elevator in silence.  When it arrived, they stepped on and both looked at the floor.  They arrived at Grace's floor and got off.  At the door, Nick made a big production of the picnic basket.  "I wonder what I should do with this.  Should I take it back now?"

"No," said Grace.  "I'll return it when I'm there next...or Petey can take it the next time I call for pizza."  Nick agreed that this might be a good plan.

There was nothing more to say or do.  The moment was becoming awkward, so he kissed her.  He leaned down and gently touched his lips to hers.  She tilted up her head and kissed him back. 

"Grace, I don't know...the timing on this...Matt and all...I don't want to get in your way...but I just...I had a good time today."

"Me too, Nick.  Thank you.  And you are not in the way."

He ran his fingers down her cheek and left.   She closed the door and leaned against it.  Wow!  Quite the day!  She was going to have to think about this one.  She pushed herself off the door and took a couple of steps.  A scent alien to her apartment assailed her nose.  She stopped dead in her tracks as she saw, sitting on a table in front of a sofa, a vase full of roses.  How did they get here? she wondered.  She moved over to them and picked up the card.  'Sorry I missed you.  Love you.  Matt.'  A chill went up her spine.  She spun first one way, then the other, as if half expecting him to appear.

She went to the phone and hit the star key with trembling fingers.  This connected her to the lobby.  "Gary speaking," was what she heard.

"Gary, it's Grace Barrett.  Did you let anyone up here today?  Was anyone in my apartment?"

"Ah, yes, Ms. Barrett.  That was me.  You had flowers delivered and I...uh...I didn't know how you'd get them up there, what with your crutches and all, so I just brought them up and put them there...on the table."

Grace sighed in relief.  She didn't know what she had been scared of.  That Matt still had keys?  Or what he might do?  Where was that coming from? she wondered.

"Was that okay?" he asked.  "I hope I didn't do anything wrong."

"No, no, Gary.  That was very kind.  It was just a surprise, that's all."

"Um...he delivered them himself.  He...uh...he..."  Gary took a deep breath.  "He came by and you were already gone.  He wanted to know where you went, but we didn't tell him..."

"We?" queried Grace.

"Petey was still here.  He only missed you by a minute or two.  Anyway, we just said you weren't home.  He wasn't real happy about it, but he disappeared and then came back a little while later.  He had the flowers and said he wanted to put them in your apartment, but I wouldn't let him.  He said he was going to leave you a note.  Is everything okay, Gra...Ms. Barrett?"

"Everything's fine, Gary.  Thank you.  That was very sweet of you to think of me.  Bye!"

"Bye, Ms. Barrett," he said, but he was talking to a dead line.  He leaned back in his chair.  Yes, he had certainly stopped 'The Man in Black' - this was how he thought of Matt - from getting close to Grace.  He had used his most coplike manner in refusing entry to him.  When he delivered the flowers, he had been tempted to change the card or tear it up, but decided against it.  From the sounds of things, though, it didn't matter.  Grace didn't seem too interested in patching things up.   He wondered how much this had to do with Blondie.  Petey didn't like Blondie.  Of course, Petey didn't like anyone that got close to Grace.  Gary thought it was kinda funny and kinda pathetic at the same time.  Petey sure wore his heart on his sleeve as far as Grace was concerned. 


****************************


The little nap Grace had in the car energized her and she headed for her office.  She turned off the phone ringer.  She didn't want any interruptions as she roughed out her new assignment.  She needed to see the big picture and keep details and threads straight in her head.  One ring of the phone could make it all go 'poof' like in a cartoon.  When she reached a point where she could take a break, she leaned back and stretched.  She looked at her watch.  Good Lord, it was nearly eleven o'clock.   When she looked around the table and saw how much she had accomplished, she was very pleased. 

Grace turned the phone back on and checked her voice mail.  Wow!  Eight messages.  One from her mother and one from her dad.  She smiled to herself.  Tag team.  They always did it that way.  Her mom would leave a message and then would want to call again, but didn't want to be a nag, so she would make Dad do it.  She knew that her mother would be hovering over his shoulder telling him what to say the whole time.

A message from Matt - similar to the card.  Sorry I missed you.  A second message from Matt - call me when you get home.  We need to talk.  Two messages about business.  Matt again - sounding pissed - you have to be home by now.  Call me.  Then again.  Grace, I know you're there.  Pick up.

Grace sighed and reached for the phone.  She knew she had to call him.  She didn't want him coming over to check on her.  She hoped she would get his machine.  But he picked up on the first ring.

"Grace?"

"Hello, Matt."

"What the hell have you been up to?  Why weren't you answering your phone?  Where were you today?"  He paused and took a deep breath.  "Because I was worried...you know, with your leg and all...you might have fallen."

"No, Matt.  I didn't fall.  I've been working.  I shut the phone off.  You know I don't like interruptions when I'm starting something new."

"Grace, I need to see you."

"No, Matt.  I don't want to see you.  Don't start this again."

"But we love each other."

"Maybe we do, maybe we don't.  I don't know yet.  But what I do know is that I was too dependent on you.  And I think maybe you liked it that way.  But I don't want that any more.  I want to be in control of my own life."

"You can be in control of your life and have me in it," he said.

"Look, I need some time on this.  Give me some time.  Please, Matt..."

He reluctantly gave in.  She hadn't said a definite no.  So he would give her some time, but he would be watching carefully.


******************************

Nick called Brian as soon as he dropped Grace off.  Come on over, said Brian.  Kev's here too.  Nick wasn't sure he wanted Kevin to be there. 

Kevin was his big brother.  He was big brother to them all, actually, even Howie who was almost the same age.  He felt the responsibility keenly, watching over them and trying to guide them through life's pitfalls.  He was a perfectionist and demanded much of himself.  He didn't expect the others to be perfect, but he did expect them to try.

Nick had made some unfortunate choices in his search for love and now Kevin questioned every relationship.  Relationship, hah!  He questioned every date, every conversation, every photo that appeared on the Internet.  And Nick knew that Kevin didn't like the way he had met Grace.   There was something about it that made Kevin suspicious.   Nick had told Grace that "sometimes good things just leap out in front of us", but Kevin wasn't buying it.

"How was the ocean?"  Brian settled Nick in a chair with a beer. 

"Deep and blue," said Nick.  Kevin looked at him expectantly.  Nick knew there was no point in trying to keep anything back.  Kevin would get it all out of him eventually and then wonder why Nick had been reluctant to tell all in the first place.  "I had a good time.  I think Grace did too.  And the food...man, you have to try this place -  Antonio's."

He described the meal and the weather and the waves.  Then he fell silent waiting for one of them to speak.  He was much relieved that it was Brian.  "So, Grace had a good time?"

"Yes, it whacked her out though.  You know what it's like when people aren't used to it.  She fell asleep in the car on the way home."  Nick smiled at the memory.

"Are you planning on seeing her again?"  Kevin came right to the point.

"I don't know.  I'd like to.  I'd really, really like to.  But..."

"The ex-fiancé!"  Kevin zeroed in.

"Yeah, she says it's over, but...okay, this is going to sound weird, but it's like it was too easy for her, if you know what I mean.  Shouldn't breaking off an engagement be a little more traumatic?  Of course, I don't know what she does when she's not with me.  She could be devastated..."

"Either way, you lose," said Kevin matter-of-factly.  Brian moved to protest.  Kevin held up a hand.

"Face it, Nick.  You are Rebound Guy.  Either she uses you to help her get over this Matt guy and then she moves on, or she uses you to find out that she really wants him after all."

Or uses me to get even.  Nick remembered Matt's words from their first meeting.

"And there's no possibility in your mind that this could be fate handing them both their future?" asked Brian.  He  wasn't prepared to be as cynical about love as Kevin. He had found his future by chance.  Why couldn't Nick?

Kevin shrugged.  Anything was possible.  "Do what you need to do, Nick.  Just don't invest too much of your heart too soon.  You've seen her every day.  Why not give it a rest for a couple of days?"

Nick nodded.  That sounded like good advice.  And he had that thing at the club tomorrow night, so he wouldn't have been able to see her anyway. 

"Yeah, okay.  Thanks, guys."  Kevin nodded in satisfaction.  Brian was less sure that the advice was wise.
Chapter 9 by old_archive
Friday

Grace spent the next day at her computer.  She hadn't been putting in the hours that she usually did and wanted to make up for it.  Besides, she thought, keep busy and you won't have to think about your sorry life.  But she found herself often, sitting staring at the screen, her mind miles away on the ocean, or right here with Matt, or back in Ohio...no, she didn't want to go there.

You are going to have to go there someday, she told herself.  But not today.  She shook her head and went back to work.  She stopped at noon for a sandwich and at 3:00 for some stretches and a yogurt.  But she was on a roll and wanted to keep at it. At 7:00, her stomach growled.

She ordered pizza from Antonio's.  When she called, Antonio's wife Maria answered the phone.  "It's Grazia," she yelled.  Antonio immediately took the phone.  How are you?  How's the leg?  How was the picnic?  Grace thought Antonio could give her mother a run for her money in the overprotectiveness sweepstakes.  She answered all his questions and exclaimed over the food.  She thanked him profusely and passed on Nick's thanks as well.

"A nice young man," said Antonio, in his strong Italian accent.  "Very polite.  Bring him by for dinner sometime.  I'll make you something very special."

Grace said that she would and ordered the pizza.  Antonio clucked his tongue.  "Going to be working all night again, Grazia?  That's not a good idea."  Grace reassured him that she was taking care of herself and rang off.

Twenty minutes later, there was a knock.  She knew it would be Petey.  Visitors were to be announced by Gary at all times, but Petey only arrived if someone was expecting him, so he didn't bother to check in, would just wave at Gary and announce his destination.  Gary would wave back and go on with his work, pretending that he was a police officer.  Gary took his responsibilities very seriously and kept careful notes on all activity in the building.  It wasn't in his job description and probably wasn't even legal, but he never showed the notes to anyone, just kept them for himself.  It made him more than just a security guard in his eyes.  He had tried to get into the police academy a couple of times, but failed.

"It's open," called Grace, without turning from the computer.  She heard Petey come in and she hit a few final keystrokes.  She swiveled the chair around and grabbed the crutches.  Petey was standing inside the door holding the pizza bag.  His hair was combed with some kind of gel in it and he had on a nice shirt and pants.

"Hi, Petey," she smiled.  "You look good.  Do you have a date after work?"

Petey blushed, both embarrassed and pleased that she had noticed.  "Yeah, a bunch of us are going to the movies."  He ducked his head shyly.  Grace motioned for him to set the pizza on the counter and take the picnic basket.  She reached for her purse for a tip.  She kept a running account at Antonio's for the pizza, but always gave Petey his tip in cash.  At first, he had tried to refuse, but Grace insisted, saying 'college doesn't pay for itself, you know'.

"Well, she's a lucky girl, whoever she is.  Have a good time."

Petey's feet didn't touch the ground all the way back to the restaurant.  Grace thought someone would be lucky to go out with him!

Gary smiled as Petey went by the desk without even noticing him.  Petey had a silly grin on his face and a faraway look in his eye.  Gary wondered what stupendous thing Grace had said to him this time.  Probably 'thanks for the pizza'.

Gary thought about Grace for awhile.  He was attracted to her himself, but had never thought about making a move - what with the fiancé and all.  But he seemed to be history.  Gary didn't know about the new guy - Gary knew who he was, of course.  He had recognized him the first night.  But it gave him a small sense of satisfaction to let on that he didn't know who Nick was.    When Nick had arrived the day before to pick Grace up, Gary had pretended he didn't remember him and had made him identify himself and ask for Grace's apartment specifically, before he allowed him to go up.

Gary leaned back in his chair and massaged his crotch.  He could feel the beginning of an erection.  He rubbed himself idly.  It amused him to stay in a state of semi-hardness for most of his shift.  There were large blocks of time when he had nothing to do but sit and look at porno magazines.

He found it funny to talk to the tenants from behind his big desk, talking normally, carrying on conversations while he was sitting there with a boner.  At night, when he got home, he'd take care of it once and for all, picturing one of the girls from the magazines dropping to her knees in front of him or one of the female tenants spread-eagled on his desk.  Lately, it was Grace's face and body that he pictured while his hand jerked up and down.

Grace ate a couple of slices of pizza and looked at her watch.  Eight o'clock.  She sighed.  She had tried all day not to think about Nick.  Every time the phone rang, her pulse had raced, but it had only been salesmen, business acquaintances and a couple of friends who had heard of her mishap and wanted to lend support.  Not that there were many of those.  Most of the people she knew were acquaintances of Matt. She had many on-line friends, made through business, but they were scattered around the country.

She made her way to the stereo.  She had a 6-CD changer that she filled every morning and set to 'random play'.  Many of the CDs were ones she had made herself blending favorites from her collection with downloads from the Internet.  At approximately eighty minutes per CD, she had nearly eight hours of uninterrupted music - her favorite songs quietly filling the background of her day.  She was on the second batch for this day, but she was done. 

She hit the Stop button.  She just wasn't in the mood for another Backstreet Boys song.  She looked at her computer.  Nope.  Done there too.  She surveyed her video collection.  She wanted something...not sappy romantic...not action and violence...  those were all Matt's...something with heart.  Here, this would do.  She pulled out Remember the Titans, a football movie with Denzel Washington.  She loved his work, and there was nothing like an uplifting sports movie, where the good guys come from behind and win.

Grace popped the movie in the player and relaxed on the sofa.  She was just going to veg tonight.  For tomorrow, she had set herself the onerous task of taking a shower.  She had been doing sponge baths since the accident, but she wanted a long, hot shower. She knew it was going to be tricky, but she hoped to do it without either killing herself or washing away the apartment.


******************************


After advising Nick to stay away from Grace for a couple of days, Kevin was determined to make him do it.  He asked Nick to pick him up on the way to the meeting, giving some excuse about the car having a tune-up.  Today, they were listening to demos of prospective artists for their label.  At the first break, Kevin asked to borrow Nick's cell phone to call his wife.  After completing the call, he turned off the ringer and slipped the phone into his pocket.

At the next break, he motioned Nick over to the refreshment table.  "Can you do me a big favor?" he asked.  "You remember Kristin's friend Theresa?"  Nick shrugged.  Not really.  Kevin went on, "Well, she is in from out of town and we were going to bring her to the club tonight."  Nick shrugged again.  So what?

"She doesn't want to go on her own with me and Kris.  Says she'll feel like extra baggage or something." 

Nick looked at him oddly.  He went out with Kevin and Kris all the time on his own.  And Brian and Leigh too. 

"It's a woman thing," said Kevin.  "I don't get it either.  But Kris wants me to get you or Howie to 'go with her'."  He put quotation marks around the words with his fingers.

"Howie's not going," said Nick.  "Pollyanna's got a gig and he's going to that."

"Oh," said Kevin, and waited.  He was willing to ask if he had to, but he preferred it if the suggestion came from Nick.

"I'm going, so that makes a fourth.  Is that okay?"

"That would be great, Li'l Bro.  I really appreciate it.  Kristin was worried about it.  How about if we pick you up?  We're getting a car."

"Sure, that would be fine.  I don't want to drive anyway."

Kevin moved away, back to the conference table.  Brian had been getting some juice and had heard the whole thing.  Kevin's ploy had been so obvious.  He couldn't believe Nick hadn't seen through it.  Or maybe he had.  Who knew?  AJ's words ran through his mind, How long before Kevin wrecks it?

Nick had seen through Kevin.  Theresa from out-of-town?!  Good God. But he didn't mind.  He was going anyway and this actually served his purpose.  He wouldn't feel the pressure to put the moves on anyone; he could just kick back, have a couple of drinks and enjoy the music.

Nick loved music - they all did; they had very different tastes in music for their personal listening.  Nick leaned more to the 'rock' side of things and the group playing tonight, Pleather, was an up-and-coming act that Nick enjoyed and figured would be huge one day soon.


******************************

Nick enjoyed the evening immensely.  Theresa turned out to be a very nice girl with no interest in him whatsoever.  All she could talk about was her boyfriend back home, who was a big rock fan, and how excited he would be to hear that she had seen so-and-so.  Each time she said it, she named another person in the club.  Apparently, he would not be that impressed that she had met a Backstreet Boy or two.

Theresa was into college basketball and they talked about that during one of the set breaks.  They were seated in the VIP section of the club and security made sure they weren't disturbed by non-VIP patrons.  The club management knew that they never accepted free drinks from anyone and that no one from outside the section was allowed to approach their table.  They had been burned too many times in the early years.

There were no cameras allowed anywhere in the club, but they knew that made no difference.  Someone always got a picture.  The Backstreet Boys were a phenomenon in the entertainment industry - they had the most widespread and loyal fanbase anyone had ever seen.  It covered all ages and spanned the globe.  They were nearing their tenth year together and the hype from the fans just grew bigger every day.  They could cause a stir just by - well, just by being.

They had learned to deal with it - sometimes, the hard way.  But they knew now - never in public - no swearing, no drunk and disorderly behavior, no altercations, no matter how provoked you were by some asshole trying to make himself bigger by shooting you down.  They never heard the words 'Backstreet Boy' as a statement of fact - it was either a breathless, adoring whisper or a vicious slur, usually accompanied by the adjective 'fucking'.
Chapter 10 by old_archive
Saturday

"Style and Grace."  She mentally crossed her fingers.  Let it please be Nick.

"A Backstreet Boy, Grace?  A fucking Backstreet Boy?"

Matt had finally placed the face.  The receptionist at his firm was a fan of the group and kept a small, framed picture of them on her desk like they were her family.  Matt had seen it every day for over a year, but hadn't really looked at it.  When he arrived at the office the previous morning, he nodded hello to Carol.  She had the picture in her hands, was about to replace the photo with a more recent one.  The picture caught his eye.  That was the guy!

"Who are they?" he asked.

Carol rolled her eyes.  She was sick of explaining.  "They're a musical group - the Backstreet Boys."

Matt nodded.  He'd heard of them, sure, even knew some of their music.  "Who's he?" pointing at the tall blond in the middle.

"That's Nick...Nick Carter," she added.  She smiled shyly.  "He's my favorite."

"Why?" asked Matt.  "Is he the lead singer?"

"No, well...one of them, sort of...it's hard to explain how they do a song..."

Matt cut her off.  "So then why is he your favorite?"

Carol was over forty and felt foolish explaining the feeling she got when she saw pictures of Nick or heard him sing or when he pointed at her from a video.  "He's just...sweet," she finished lamely.  That didn't begin to describe it, but it was enough for Matt.  He nodded and continued up the hall to his office.

"Good morning, Matt," said Janice hopefully.

"Morning," he replied, picking up his messages.  He moved past her to his office.  Janice sighed.  When Matt told her that Grace had broken off the engagement, she had been outwardly sympathetic and inwardly thrilled.  She had been sleeping with him for nearly three months and she wanted it to become legitimate - actual dating...going out to dinner, dancing - not just waiting around to get laid because Grace had a headache or whatever.  He hadn't come near her since it happened, but Janice was patient.  She figured she had the home court advantage, seeing Matt in the office every day.

He stopped at his door and turned back.  "Janice," he said.  "Will you do a little research for me?  Nick Carter."

"Backstreet Boys Nick Carter?" asked Janice.

Matt nodded.  For God's sakes, did everyone know these guys?  "Yeah, find out everything you can for me."

"Is he going to be a client?" asked Janice.

"I may have some business with him, yes," muttered Matt, disappearing into his office.  First rule of warfare, he thought to himself.  Know your enemy.

Janice came in an hour later with a report - a recent photo, biographical details, financial worth, likes and dislikes, scandals and girlfriends - and a list of websites where Matt could look further.  He wouldn't, of course.  He hated the Internet.  The more Grace got into it, the more he backed away.  It was the 'other man' in Grace's life.  He picked up the photo of Nick.  Until now.

Matt sifted through the information Janice had given him.  He leaned back in his chair and laced his fingers together behind his head.  From all he could see, Nick was just a dumb kid with a good voice and a bad reputation.  He seemed to have an affinity for doing and saying stupid things.  Yet he was Carol's favorite...and he had certainly seemed like a take-charge kind of guy the night Matt saw him at Grace's.

Matt thought about it all day and by the end had decided.  He wouldn't call Grace tonight.  She said she wanted space.  He would give it to her.  Let her spend a lonely Friday night, or better yet, let her spend it hobbling through crowds after the stupid, blond guy.  He didn't have to worry about them having sex.  There was Grace's broken leg and then there was...well, there was Grace.

He invited Janice out for dinner.  She was ecstatic at the thought and exchanged her Friday panties for a pair of crotchless ones in the ladies room before they left the office.  They went to an Italian restaurant near where she lived.  It wasn't as good as Antonio's, Matt thought.

Janice sat beside him in the booth and used the long tablecloth as a shield for her hand movements.  She ran her fingernails up his inseam and massaged his groin.  Matt looked at her in surprise and then smiled.  This was going to be fun.  Grace would never do anything this brazen in public.

Matt enjoyed Janice's ministrations through the appetizer.  While waiting for the salad, she took his hand and ran it up under her skirt.  His eyes widened at what he found, but he left his hand there, rubbing her.  As the waiter approached with the salad, Matt slid his middle finger into her.  She squirmed in her seat and squeezed her walls around it.

The waiter went back to the kitchen.  "Now, he's finger-fucking her," he said to the sous-chef.  My God!  Why didn't they get a room?  They saw it all the time in the restaurant - couples going at it under the tablecloth.  And each thinking they had invented something new.

Matt and Janice finished dinner and declined dessert.  They rearranged their clothes - by the end of the meal, Matt's zipper was down and his penis was in her hand.  They went back to her apartment and didn't even make it to the bedroom.  He leaned her against the kitchen table and dropped his pants.  He entered her roughly and finished quickly.  A very satisfying experience for him; somewhat less so for her.

He disappeared into the bathroom.  She grabbed a handful of tissues and cleaned herself up.  She was determined to get more than this from him.  She wanted him to stay all night.  She loved morning sex and figured if she could keep him here, she could make him forget Grace once and for all.  Matt had let it slip once that Grace "wasn't all that good in the sex department".  Janice knew that it was one of her very best departments and she was going to use it to her advantage.  She would do anything to keep his mind off Grace.

"So why did you want to know about Nick Carter?" she asked, after they had settled on the sofa with drinks.  She was totally unaware that she had just scuttled her own fleet.

"He's got lots of money and he needs financial advice."  Matt shrugged.  "I might have a contact."

Janice nodded and began talking about the group.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if Matt could get all five of them as clients?  What a PR boost that would be for the firm!  She liked Nick, she said, but AJ was her favorite.

What the fuck was this? Matt asked himself.  He didn't have a clue about AJ, but he wondered, did everyone have a favorite?

They chatted for a few more minutes and then Janice moved over and knelt between his knees.  "Are you going to stay over?" she asked.  The challenge was evident.  If Matt wanted more, he was going to have to pay for it by his presence the next morning. 

He grinned at her and thrust his hips forward.  "Will I get bagels and scrambled eggs?" he asked.

"Eventually," she leered, reaching for his belt buckle.


******************************

Matt didn't get away from Janice's until after ten the next morning.  She had really given it her all the night before and he felt compelled to stay for breakfast.  He had to work with her, after all. 

He knew it wouldn't last.  He and Grace would get back together eventually.  He hoped it wouldn't be too awkward with Janice.  Oh well, if it did, he could just have her transferred to another department.  Give her a raise too.

He drove over to Grace's place and parked on the street in front of her building.  He walked down a side street to a bakery, from which he could see Grace's apartment.  From this angle, he could see if she was sitting at her computer.  She was.  He took out his cell phone.

******************************

"...a fucking Backstreet Boy?"

"What do you want, Matt?"  Grace's shoulders slumped.  She wasn't into this right now.

"What are you doing with this guy?  He's just a kid, for God's sake!"

"Matt, I am not 'with this guy'.  And his age is none of your damned business.  Nothing about me is your business anymore.  I..."  Grace's voice was drowned out by the siren of an ambulance speeding down the street.  She could hear the siren through the phone as well.  She swiveled around and looked out the window. She saw Matt leaning on the post outside the bakery, watching the ambulance go by.

Grace pushed the chair quickly away from the window.  Her heart was pounding.  What was he doing there?  Checking up on her, obviously.  She wondered why she was so unnerved...almost frightened.

"Grace, are you there?"  Matt could no longer see her in the window.

"No, Matt.  Not for you.  Stay out of my life."  Grace disconnected.  She was tempted to look out the window to see if he was still there, but she was afraid he might see her. She thought about phoning the security desk to warn them not to let him in, but it was a new guy on the morning shift and it would be hard to explain without sounding hysterical.  Gary would have understood, she knew, but he wasn't on until later.

******************************

Nick was on his way to the marina.  He had invited Kevin and Kristin, and of course, Theresa, out for a cruise.  Brian and Leighanne were joining them too.  Howie was busy and you couldn't get AJ on a boat for anything.  He meandered his way through the streets and he realized he was getting closer and closer to Grace's place.  He didn't know what to do.  Should he invite her along?  Kevin would freak, but maybe he'd get to know her faster.  Would it be fair to Theresa - making her the extra person - he knew she didn't like that.  His decision was made for him by the man getting into the black sports car outside Grace's place.  It was Matt.
Chapter 11 by old_archive
Nick drove on to the marina and got the boat ready to go.  The others arrived and they set off.  They could all see that he was preoccupied with something other than just piloting the boat.  He was very quiet and had a faraway look in his eyes.  At one point, he handed the wheel over to Kevin and went forward to sit on the front deck.  Kevin and Brian looked at each other.  Kevin motioned forward with his head.  Brian nodded and made his way carefully up the side of the boat, holding tight to the railing.  Nick moved around a boat easily and gracefully, hardly ever having to touch a railing.  Brian did not have the same sea legs.  He was definitely a land-dweller.

"Hey, Frack!"  Brian sat down beside Nick.  Nick nodded at him but said nothing.  They sat in silence for a few minutes.

Finally, Brian spoke.  "Grace?"

Nick nodded again.  He pursed his lips and shook his head as if to clear it.  "I went by her place on the way here.  I don't know why.  I think I was half-thinking about asking her to come along today.  I saw Matt in front of her building."  He stood up from the deck chair and leaned on the railing, looking out to sea.

"The fiancé?" 

"Yeah."

"Are you sure it was him?" 

Nick nodded.  Brian thought for a moment or two and then said, "And you are immediately jumping to the conclusion that he spent the night?"

Nick looked at him.  What other conclusion could you come to? 

Brian sighed.  "Nick, the whole world doesn't keep hours like we do.  Some people have half a day's work accomplished by the time you roll out of bed.  How do you know he wasn't dropping something off?  Or maybe he tried to see her and she refused?"

"Well, he sure didn't look happy, I have to say that."

"And do you think if you had just spent the night with her, you would be looking unhappy?"

Nick put his hands to his temples and squeezed.  "Bri, I just don't know what to do.  I mean, I've only known her for a couple of days, but something just tells me...she's different, you know...from any of the girls I've been out with lately...she's not in the business, for one thing..."

"Or hoping to get into it..." added Brian ruefully.  That was the biggest disappointment they had had with women and they had all experienced it at least once.   At some point during a relationship, the girl would casually mention that she 'sang a little' or 'wrote songs' and did they know anyone who could help her get started? 

They felt the boat slow as Kevin throttled back the engines.  "Come on," said Brian, "Let's get some lunch.  Maybe you'll get some sort of sign - the celery sticks will spell out her name or something."

They laughed together and hugged.  "Thanks, Bri.  I know you only want what's good for me."

"So does he."  Brian nodded at Kevin.  They exchanged a smile.  Yeah, Nick knew that.  He knew that Kevin really did have his best interests at heart.  It was just that Kevin thought he knew better than Nick what those best interests were.

When they got to the back, the girls had set up a table and were putting out lunch.  Theresa got down out of the co-pilot's chair where she had been sitting.  Kevin called out to her.  "Hey, you forgot your hat."  He held up a straw sunhat that had fallen behind the chair.

"That's not mine," said Theresa.

Nick took the hat from Kevin.  He brushed his fingers over it lightly and looked at Brian.

"That's not a hat," said Brian.  "That's a sign."  Nick nodded and went below with the hat.

******************************


Grace didn't have a shower after all.  Seeing Matt outside the apartment had unnerved her and she felt too vulnerable to attempt it.  So she spread the towels on the bathroom floor again, wrapped the cast in plastic and did another drippy, messy sponge bath.  She usually washed her hair by using the telephone shower attachment and hanging her head into the tub.  But she couldn't be bothered today.  Altogether an enormous effort for very little purpose, she thought.  Who was going to see her? 

Okay, enough of that, she scolded herself.  You are not going to sit here and get maudlin.  Get your clothes on and get out of here.  She limped into the bedroom and was stopped by the view of herself in the mirror.  She was wrapped in a towel.  Her hair looked okay, she guessed.  It was her best feature, naturally wavy.  All she had to do was shake it and fluff it and it was ready.  But it didn't matter how you looked at it, she thought.  Crutches and a cast were not sexy.  She amused herself with a couple of poses.  Nope, no way.  Definitely not sexy.

Grace had gotten very good with the crutches.  Actually, she had gotten very good at not having to use them.  She had quickly found the focal point of the bedroom, the spot from which she could most easily reach the dresser and the closet.  She had placed a high-back chair there, so that she only had to use one hand to lean and she could hop and reach everything.  Getting dressed now took a fraction of the time it had the first day.  But it still took over an hour for the whole washing/dressing process.

Well, hooray for me, she thought.  It's noon and I've managed to get dressed.  She shook her head.  What's the matter with me today?  I got three hours of work done this morning.  So what if I was wearing PJs at the time! 

Grace decided that she had to get out of the apartment.  She was going to go for a walk.  That was it.  To the bookstore around the corner.  Not too far, wouldn't tire her out too much.  And unless she bought an encyclopedia, she should be able to get it home.  She laughed to herself.  Coming out of a bookstore with a small bag wasn't something she usually managed to do.

She sat down at the computer to finish one small area of the project.  When she sat back finally, satisfied that it was now perfect, she saw by the clock that two hours had gone by.  I'm in the Twilight Zone, she mused.  Time means nothing anymore.  She fixed herself a quick lunch and then gathered herself for the trip to the bookstore.  She thought about wearing a backpack, but that would be cumbersome in the heat and it made her vulnerable to pickpockets from behind.  Besides, she laughed to herself, that would just be daring herself to make large purchases at the store.  She settled for a waist pack for her wallet and keys.  On her way out, she chatted with Gary for a few minutes.  He was just starting his shift.  She told him she was on her way to the bookstore.  He laughed.  He had helped her up to her apartment with heavy bags before. 

"Sure you don't want to take a little wagon with you?" he asked with a grin.

"No, I'm going to be good today.  I have to," said Grace, waggling her crutches.

"Well, the store's not too far, and if you get carried away, just call.  I can leave the desk for a few minutes and run over and get them."

"Now, Gary, how is that encouraging me to exercise restraint?" she demanded with a twinkle in her eye.  He held open the door for her and watched her walk away.

Grace took her time, enjoying the neighborhood as she made her way to the store.  It was nice, she thought, that she was actually forced to go slowly.  She saw all kinds of things she had never noticed before.  Most of the shopkeepers waved and many came out to ask her about her leg and wish her well.  They all told her they would deliver anything she needed.  She loved this neighborhood.  She just hoped that it didn't become too popular and lose its charm to financial considerations.

By the time Grace got to the bookstore, Bailey's Books, she was exhausted.  She sat at the coffee bar in the window and enjoyed an iced coffee and a half hour of people watching before she turned to the store.  She loved this store.  It combined the amenities of the big stores - computer selection, coffee bar, sofas - with the charm and personal touch of a small store.  That was because Marian Bailey, the owner, did not need to make a profit from the store.  And in fact, didn't want to.  In some kind of bizarre divorce settlement, Marian had forced her husband to set her up in business in the store and pay alimony to a certain amount over her final profit margin.  He didn't realize how bitter she was about the blonde trophy-wife who had started out as his receptionist.  He thought Marian would make a go of the business and he'd be off the hook.  Marian deeply resented every dollar of profit that she made and her customers were the beneficiary of some lovely specials and treats, especially near her year-end.

Grace wandered through the stacks.  She loved books.  She was leafing through a travel book on France when suddenly she got a chill.  She had a feeling she was being watched.  She looked slowly around but could see no one.  She stepped away from the shelf and surveyed the store.  Marian was helping a customer at the cash desk and there were two women getting coffee from Tony, the young man who ran the coffee bar.  She saw no one else.  She put the book back on the shelf and moved on to the cookbooks.  She was a sucker for cookbooks.  She didn't cook all that much, but she loved to read cookbooks.  She was perusing a new book on salads, when the feeling came back, little fingers of ice creeping up her spine.  This is crazy, she thought.  Maybe I'd better forget the book and get back out into the sunshine.  She placed the book back on the shelf and turned to go. 

"Grace?"

Grace stifled the scream that rose in her throat.  Marian stood at the end of the row.  "Sorry to startle you.  I just wanted to show you a couple of computer books I got on spec.  Maybe you could tell me if they're any good."

Grace nodded, waiting for her heartbeat to return to normal before she spoke.  "Sure," she said in a voice that didn't sound like her own.  Marian looked at her oddly.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

Grace nodded again and cleared her throat.  "Just frustrated with these," she said, lifting the crutches.  She followed Marian to the front desk and looked at the books with her.  She approved of one, said it would be good for people who weren't all that comfortable with computers.  She shook her head at the second one.  It dealt with a specific program for processing and enhancing digital photos.

"It's far too complicated for someone who doesn't know what they're doing and too wordy for someone who does.  The program itself is easy to follow.  This would just confuse people."

Marian thanked her and retrieved the book on France for her, which Grace had decided on after all. It was a small book of fold-out maps of Paris neighborhoods, with descriptions of the areas' attractions and restaurants.

Grace stepped out on the sidewalk and looked around.  She couldn't shake the feeling that someone was watching her.  Oh, get over it, she chided herself.  You're on crutches.  Of course people are looking at you.  She turned for home.

She had only gone a couple of steps when she heard her name.

"Hi, Ms. Barrett.  Do you need any help?"  It was Petey.

"Hi, Petey.  Are you on your way to work?"

"Yes," Petey explained, taking the bag from her.  "But I've got time to take this home for you."

They walked along the street.  Grace asked him about his date the night before.

"What kind of movie did you see?" she asked.  "Because you know, that's a very important part of a date, especially in the beginning of a relationship."

Petey wasn't sure if she was making fun of him or not.  "There were six of us and no one could agree, so we ended up seeing Star Wars again."  He looked at her sideways, seeking her approval for the choice.

Grace shook her head ruefully.  "I guess that's okay in a group, but if you really want to impress a girl, take her to see a romantic comedy or a drama."

Petey raised his eyebrows.  "You're kidding, right?"

She laughed.  "No, I mean it.  You might not like the movie, but you will sure make points with the girl!"

She turned the corner and looked at the front of her building.  A blond head caught her eye.  Just opening his car door was Nick.

"Nick!" she yelled, without thinking.  A startled Petey stopped dead.  Grace began to hobble faster.  Nick tossed something into the car and started to get in.  "Nick!" she yelled again.

Nick stopped.  He was used to having people call his name and it didn't really register.  He was upset that Grace wasn't home and the doorman didn't know where she was.  Maybe that was a sign too, a sign in the opposite direction from the hat.  He got in and slammed the door.  He checked his rearview mirror and immediately jumped out of the car.  In two long strides, he reached her.

"Grace," he whispered. 

Grace looked up at him and smiled.  Nick took her face in his hands and kissed her gently.  Kevin would kill him for doing it in public, but Nick didn't care.  There wasn't anything he wanted to do in the world right now except kiss this girl.

Grace was glad she had crutches under her arms.  Her legs had turned to water.  His kiss thrilled her from head to toe.  When he stopped and leaned back, she smiled up at him and said, "Hi," very softly.  He smiled back.  They were lost in each other, smiling.

Petey stood on the sidewalk with the bag.  Gary watched from inside the lobby.  Neither of them was smiling. 
Chapter 12 by old_archive
When Nick finally stepped back from Grace, he stared into her eyes for a moment and then looked around.  He noticed Petey standing there, shifting awkwardly from one foot to the other in embarrassment.  He was holding a small bag.

“Hey, Petey!  How’s it going?”  Nick held out his hand. 

Petey reached out and shook it, transferring the bag to his other hand.  As much as he hated seeing Nick touch Grace, Petey was complimented that Nick remembered his name and acknowledged his presence.  He held up the bag and Grace took it, bestowing a beautiful smile on him.

“Remember,” she said, “Chick flick.” 

Petey wrinkled his nose in distaste. 

“Am I right?”  Grace turned to Nick and explained the conversation they had had earlier. 

Nick looked at Petey over the top of Grace’s head.  “She’s right,” he said, shaking his head in disgust.  “It works.”  Both Nick and Petey rolled their eyes.  It was a real ‘guy’ moment. 

“Well, I gotta go,” said Petey.  “Bye, Ms. Barrett.  Bye…”  He hesitated over the name.

“Nick. Call me Nick.”

"Bye, Nick."  Petey floated down the street.  He had just gotten dating advice from Nick Carter.  Omigod!  Who would believe that?

Nick turned to Grace.  The temptation to kiss her again was very strong, but he figured he had pushed his luck in public long enough.  "I brought back your hat," he said.  "You left it on the boat."

"I'm always leaving stuff with you," she laughed.  "I left my purse in your car the day we met...twice!!  And now the hat."

Nick reached out and ran his finger down her jaw line.  "My grandma would say it's a way of making me come back."

Grace smiled up at him.  "She could be right.  I better buy more stuff."

Nick got the hat from his car and then hurried over to hold the door open for her.  As they made their way to the elevator, Grace waved the little bag at Gary and said, “See.  I didn’t need the wagon after all.” 

Gary waved back and then looked at Nick.  He tipped his chin up defiantly.  Nick realized that Gary had known all along where Grace was, but wouldn’t tell him.  Nick didn’t have a problem with that.  It would have been unprofessional of Gary to give out information like that.  Nick lived in a high-security world and he understood it, but he wasn’t sure that professionalism had been Gary’s only motivation.  He seemed too pleased with himself for that.  Oh well, he shrugged mentally.  Taking care of Grace seemed to be a neighborhood habit. 

“Are you hungry?” asked Grace.  She was emboldened by the kiss to believe that he would not linger by the door in embarrassment today, but would come right in.  She was not wrong.  Nick closed the door behind him and looked around for a place to put the hat.  Grace pointed to a row of pegs on the wall by the door.

"I'm always ready to eat, if you're hungry.  But I'm not starving.  We had a big lunch," he answered, looking around.  Man, he loved this apartment.

Grace would have torn out her tongue before she asked him who 'we' was, but it was the word that stood out the most.  She set the bag on the counter and turned to find him standing right behind her. He took the crutches from her and lifted her onto the stool.

“I would like a little more of this, though.”  Nick lowered his head to hers and kissed her very sweetly.  The only part of them that was touching was their lips and it electrified her entire body.  Grace reached a hand out to his arm to steady herself.  Her head was whirling and she thought falling off the stool might not be the most glamorous reaction.

Nick stepped away and looked at her, cocking his head to one side.  “Mmmm…that just became the best part of my day.”  She smiled back, hoping no comment from her was called for.  She didn’t think she could formulate words yet. 

Finally, she said, “Your nose is red.”  Omigod, Grace, she told herself.  What a romantic thing to say.  He’ll be totally bowled over by that.

Nick touched his nose.  “I was out on the boat.  I guess I didn’t have enough sunscreen on.”  He looked around.  “Am I keeping you from something?  Are you busy tonight?”  Grace shook her head.  Nick continued, “Well, maybe I could hang out here with you, watch a movie or something…”  His voice trailed off and he gestured vaguely at the television.

“I’d like that,” replied Grace.  “What kind of movie do you want to watch?”

“Well, after the advice we gave Petey, I’d have to say some kind of…”  Nick paused and wrinkled his nose.  “…romantic comedy?”  He finished the sentence on a questioning note.

Grace laughed.  "Well, I guess that depends on whether you are trying to impress a girl.  Are you?"

"Yes, I am.  Very much."  And he lowered his mouth to hers again.

This time, Grace slipped her arms up around his neck.  Nick put his hands on her waist and pulled her off the stool and up against him.  Then he ran his hands over her back.  She could feel him responding and she backed slightly away.  He broke the kiss and looked down into her eyes.

“I know.  Slow down.  I know.”  He kissed her forehead and released her.  He went over to her TV cabinet which had a shelf of videos and DVDs and started looking at the titles.  “Hey, you’ve got quite a few action films here.  I didn’t think you’d be a fan.”

“I’m not.  Those are…” Grace hesitated.  She did not want to bring Matt’s name into the conversation.

“…Matt’s?”  Nick did it for her. 

Grace nodded. 

“Is everything okay there?” asked Nick.  “Have you seen him at all?”

Grace didn't know how to answer the question.  She had seen him all right... standing outside her building, yelling into his cell phone about a 'fucking Backstreet Boy', but she didn't think that was the question Nick was asking.  After a moment, she shook her head.  No, she hadn't seen him.

“I’m sorry.  That’s none of my business.  I shouldn’t have asked you that.”  Nick apologized.  It really wasn’t any of his business and he shouldn’t have asked.  But she lied.  He knew she lied.  It was written all over her face.  It’s still none of your business, he told himself.  “How about this?”  He held up Remember the Titans.

Grace grinned at him and nodded.  “That’s one of my favorites.  And I promise not to cry too hard at the ending.”

Nick laughed.  “Okay, deal.  And I promise too.”  He looked at the clock.  “Should we start the movie now?”

“No,” answered Grace, shaking her head.  “Since neither of us is hungry enough for dinner, why don’t we just put out some snacks and finger foods, and then we can watch the movie and graze.”

“Sounds good,” said Nick.  “Tell me what to do.”

“Put on some music,” instructed Grace, motioning to the stereo.  She grabbed one crutch and moved around the counter into the kitchen.

"Hey, you've got stuff by Pleather.  Where did you get it?  They don't have an album out yet."

Grace explained that she knew the guy who was doing their website.  They had given him a copy of it to get a feel for what they were about.  They were demo recordings.  He wasn't much into their music and had given it to Grace when he was done with it.

"I saw them last night.  At a club.  They were great."

Nick put on the music and joined her in the kitchen.  She told him what to get out of the fridge and the cupboards and they chopped and sliced and chatted.  Nick got down a platter and arranged pate and crackers, cheese and vegetables.  He took a long time over it and when he was done, it was a work of art.  Grace turned from where she was putting together a dip and exclaimed over it.  "Now look what you've done.  You've made it too beautiful to eat."

Nick looked over at the couch and then down at the platter and plates and napkins.  He went over and pulled a coffee table close to the couch.  Then he put all the food on it.  Grace watched him from the kitchen without interrupting.  He popped the movie into the player and put the remote on the table as well.  He looked at it all and then nodded in satisfaction.

He turned back to Grace.  "Drinks?"

"I'll have water.  What would you like?"

"I'll have beer," he said, going to the fridge.  "Don't you drink at all?"

"Not much," she said.  "Let's finish listening to the CD before we start the movie."

Nick agreed and they settled themselves on the couch.  It was long and low and comfortable.  Nick was a big man and he sometimes felt awkward on small furniture, like he was going to break it.  But this couch invited him in.  He stretched his long arms along the back of it.  Grace sat just within his reach and he played with her hair.

"I love your hair," he said.  "It's not curly-curly, but it's, I don't know, playful."

“Well, you wouldn’t like it if you had it,” she said.  “It’s easy to take care of – just wash and go – but this is pretty much all you can do with it.  You can’t change the style every five minutes like you can with yours.”  Grace reached over and smoothed his hair off his face.  Nick felt a stirring in his groin.  He sat forward and reached for some of the food.

They ate snacks and he told her about the club and the people that were there.  "That's who was on the boat today too.  Kevin and Kristin and Theresa.  Bri and Leigh came too."

"Wow!  You had a busy day.  I only had one thing on my to-do list and I never even got that done."

"What was that?" asked Nick, picking up a celery stick and smiling.  No vegetables had spelled out her name yet, but he felt that they were a sign anyway.

"Oh, it was a momentous job.  Having a shower!"  She laughed.

Nick tried to force his mind away from the picture of her naked and wet.  "Why didn't you do it?"

Grace looked at the window and a shadow crossed her face.  "Matt called..."

Nick sat back on the couch and picked up her hand.  "Tell me," he said.

So she did.  She didn't mention the 'fucking Backstreet Boy' bit, just the part about hearing the ambulance and looking out the window and seeing him.  "I don't know why, but it just unnerved me a little.  I felt too vulnerable to attempt a shower."

"Do you need me to talk to him?"  Nick was concerned for her, but also very happy to hear the explanation.  It meant that she hadn't really lied about not seeing Matt; she just had a different definition of 'seeing'.

"No," said Grace.  That was the last thing she needed.  "Just let it be.  He'll get over it in time.  I think he's just not used to...well, not being the one in charge...the one to make the decision."

"If you're sure."  Nick looked at her intently.

"I'm sure.  But thank you for offering."  She smiled at him. 

They both noticed at the same time that the music had ended.  Nick got up and turned off the stereo. When he sat back down, he reached for her and pulled her close so that she was leaning on his chest.  He flicked the remote and the movie started.  They watched in silence, enjoying the feel and smell of each other.  Occasionally he would brush his fingers across her face or she would run her hand over his chest.  When the movie was ending, Nick brushed a tear from his eye and looked down to see if Grace was crying too.  But she wasn't.  She was fast asleep.  Nick pulled the throw blanket off the back of the couch and spread it gently over her. He turned off the TV and leaned his head back.  He enjoyed the feeling of her in his arms.  He felt very protective of her.  It was a new feeling for him and he loved it.  Moments later, he was asleep too.
Chapter 13 by old_archive
Grace woke around three o'clock when Nick shifted in his sleep.  She came slowly to consciousness, her brain processing the information it was being sent...warm arms around me...he smells good...Nick!  She opened her eyes.  By the light from the window, she could see him sleeping.  What a beautiful face!  An angel in repose.  She hoped he wouldn't have a stiff neck from sleeping like that.  Should she wake him?  Or snuggle back down and enjoy the feeling of being held?

Nick shifted in his sleep again.  Grace traced her fingernail down his chest.

"Nick," she whispered.  He moved his head from side to side in his sleep, stretching his neck.  Then he opened his eyes.  He looked around, blinking.  His arms tightened around her.

"Oops," he said, "We're real party animals, aren't we?"

She pushed herself up off him.  She grabbed the crutches and pulled herself to her feet.  "I'm going to the bathroom.  And then I'm going to have something to eat.  I'm starving."

"Me too," he grinned.

Grace went into the bathroom.  She splashed cold water on her face and brushed her teeth. She ran a comb through her hair.  Then she opened a drawer and took out a toothbrush in a new package.  The dentist kept giving them to her even though she insisted that she used an electric one.  She set the package by the sink.

Back in the living room, Nick had tidied all the plates from the coffee table onto the kitchen counter.  He was looking around him, uncertain of what to do next.

"I'll take over here," Grace said to his back.  "Bathroom's free if you want."

"Thanks."  Nick moved past her into the bathroom.  This could get awkward, he thought.  Then he saw the toothbrush on the counter.  He grinned.  What a girl!  He washed his face and brushed his teeth.  He ran his fingers through his hair.  That was one advantage of a mussed-up hair look.  It always looked the way it was supposed to.  He looked at his watch.  3:15.   If he woke up at this time with a girl in his arms, he was usually already in bed with her.  He would know exactly what to do next.  But he knew he had to take it slowly with Grace.  He had only known her a couple of days.  That never stopped you before, his inner rogue said to the mirror.  It's stopping me now, he answered himself.  She's fragile right now.  She doesn't seem to be suffering the loss of Matt too much, but...

Nick returned to the kitchen.  Grace had tidied up the remains of their snack dinner and was looking in the refrigerator. 

"I make a mean omelet, if you're interested."

"I can run a toaster," he offered.

Together they made breakfast - omelets, toast and orange juice.  They talked about simple things - the news of the day, the weather - as they ate.  When they finished, it was only 4:30 in the morning.  An odd time to be wondering what to do next.  They were both wide awake.

"If you haven't been able to take a shower, what have you been doing?" asked Nick, and then blushed, realizing he had made it sound as if she were unclean.

"Oh, it's very sexy," countered Grace and described the awkward sponge baths.  "Washing my hair is the hardest, because I have to lean into the tub and still not put weight on my cast and...well, it's just annoying!" she finished.

"I'll wash your hair for you," he said.  "I love doing that."  She gave him an odd look.

"No, really," he went on.  He stood up and looked around the room.  He picked up the coffee table and carried it into the bathroom.  "Come in here," he called out.

"What are you doing?" she laughed, but grabbed the crutches and went into the bathroom.  He had the coffee table lined up perpendicular to the tub.  He had covered it with towels. 

"Come over here.  Lie down on the table.  It's the perfect height.  Here, let me help you.  Yeah, like that...slide up a bit, so that your head is almost over the tub.  There, that's it."

"I feel like a corpse laid out on a slab in the morgue," she said, crossing her hands over her chest. 

Nick turned from where he was picking up the shampoo bottle and gave her an odd look.  A shiver went through her.

“Do you have conditioner?” he asked.  She burst out laughing and so did he.  He did a little gay hairdresser mincing step and added, “Because we want those beautiful curls to be glossy and pert, don’t we?”

Grace roared with laughter. 

“Sshhh,” whispered Nick.  “It’s not even five o’clock.  The neighbors will be pounding on the walls.”

"I told you the flats are soundproof.  You could commit an axe murder in here and no one would hear."

Nick dropped the shampoo bottle on the floor.  His face was ghostly white.  She did look like a corpse, he thought.

"What's the matter?" she asked in alarm.

"Nothing," he stammered.  "Nothing.  It was just slippery."  He picked it up.  He shook his head as if to clear it.  "Now, you are going to enjoy this.  I promise."

He turned on the taps and fiddled until he had the temperature right.  He used the telephone shower head and wet her hair.  He knelt on the floor beside her and slowly rubbed the shampoo into her scalp.  She closed her eyes and savored the moment.  It was a wonderful sensation.  Her lips parted slightly and she moaned involuntarily.  Nick smiled down at her.  She hadn't even realized she had made a sound.  He continued massaging her head and then took the shower head to rinse out the shampoo. As the water cascaded over her head, he leaned down and kissed her.  Grace opened her mouth immediately and her tongue searched for his.  They kissed for a long time, the sound of running water the only sound in the room. 

Finally, Nick lifted his mouth from hers, and reached over and turned off the taps.  He wrung the water out of her hair with his hands and then covered her head with a towel.  He ruffled her head with the towel for a moment, then pulled her into a sitting position.  She turned sideways on the table.  Nick knelt on the floor.  He kissed her again and moved his lips down her throat.  She grasped his head and held it as he moved his mouth down to the top of her breast.  His hands reached for the buttons on her blouse.  He undid the top one and was reaching for the second when he felt her withdraw.

Nick immediately backed away.  He didn't want to scare her off with too much too soon.

Grace was embarrassed.  She felt like an idiotic schoolgirl.  One with dripping hair.  She reached up and rubbed the towel over her head.  Nick stood up and removed the towel.  He fluffed her hair with her fingers.

"Beautiful," he said under his breath.  He tossed his head and went back to the hairdresser routine.  "Just beautiful.  Such shine, such bounce."

Nick handed Grace the crutches and helped her to her feet.  She went into the living room and watched him return the table to its place.

He turned to her and yawned.  "I'm going to go home now and get some sleep.  You do the same.  Tomorrow, you have an enormous task ahead of you."  He looked at his watch.  "I mean, today."

"What's that?" she asked.  "Take a shower?"

"Well, maybe that, if you can manage.  No, I meant something much more dangerous.  I want you to meet my family."

Grace blanched.  "Your family?  You mean like parents?"

"And brothers and sisters.  Yeah, a family.  It's Sunday.  Whenever I'm not on tour, I try to do the Sunday family thing.  And Aaron's home now too.  A major coincidence."

"Well, if that is such a rarity, maybe they don't want to have someone tag along."

"You wouldn't be tagging along.  You'd be with me.  Can you handle it?  There's a bunch of them."

"I'd love to, Nick.  What time?"

"Let's say 2:00.  If there's a change, I'll call you.  O.K.?"

"Sounds great!"  Grace looked at the clock.  "That still gives me over eight hours to take a shower."

She walked with him to the door.  Here comes another awkward moment, she thought.  But it wasn't at all.  Nick leaned down and kissed her sweetly and said, "I had a great time tonight.  I really, really did."

"Me too," she murmured.  And he was gone.

"Now that has to make the top ten of strangest dates ever," she thought to herself.  "No," she mused, "That had to make the top ten of all categories of dates."  Best kiss, best nap, best omelet, best shampoo...
Chapter 14 by old_archive
Sunday

The phone was on its fifth ring when she finally grabbed it.

"Shit.  Dammit.  Hello..."

"Well, it's different and it has a certain something, but I don't think it's going to replace 'Style and Grace'."  Nick laughed into the phone.

Grace laughed too.  "Sorry, I was in the shower.  I'm soaking wet and I'm dragging wet plastic bags all over the apartment."

Nick gulped.  Soaking wet meant naked.  He closed his eyes to picture it.  He heard rustling sounds.

"There," she said, "Bathrobe secure.  Plastic bags disposed of.  Not enough water to necessitate building an ark.  Cast seems solid.  Let me try this again.  Style and Grace.  Good morning."

They both laughed.  Nick told her that he had called to make sure she was awake.  He was going to pick her up at two.  Was that still okay?  She assured him that it was.  What should she wear?  Besides plaster.  Family barbecue, he said.  Shorts would be good.

"Yes, because I really want to get working on that one legged-tan," joked Grace.  They chatted for a few minutes and he rang off.


******************************


When Nick arrived to pick her up, she was already waiting in the lobby.  She had come down a few minutes early, because she was so nervous and anxious that she couldn't stand being in the same place any longer.  It was bloody hard to pace the floor with crutches, she had decided.

Gary had come on duty at 1:00 today.  He was not very friendly when he saw her step off the elevator.

"Ms. Barrett." He nodded politely.

"Hi, Gary.  You're working today?  I thought you had Sundays off."

Inwardly, Gary was thrilled that she had noticed what day he had off, but he was still upset.  The first thing he did whenever he came on a shift was to rewind all the security tapes and run them at fast forward to see what he had missed while he was gone.  Then he would update his notes.  He was not pleased to see that the blond airhead pop star had left the building this morning at nearly six o'clock.  Since Gary had been there when he had checked in, he knew it had been a long night.

"Just filling in for Jermaine.  His wife went into labor."

"Finally," Grace stated emphatically.  "That had to be the longest pregnancy on record."  The two of them laughed.  Jermaine had announced his wife's pregnancy practically from the moment of conception.  They had been given daily updates and shown pictures of sonograms. 

"Yeah," said Gary, "And if it's a girl, it'll kill him."  They laughed again.  Jermaine's determination that it was going to be a boy was incredible.

"Only until she's placed in his arms.  I understand babies have a miraculous effect on fathers."

I didn't have much of an effect on mine, he thought.  He opened his mouth to ask her about her father, when he heard the door open.

"Nick!" she whispered breathlessly and turned away from Gary, who realized he had suddenly become invisible to them both.  He glared at their backs as they made their way out the door.


******************************

The barbecue was hectic and fun.  People came and went.  Conversations were interrupted in mid-sentence as someone else came by or dragged the person away.  It was hard to keep everyone's name straight.  Since both Aaron and Nick were home, there were a bunch of cousins and aunts and uncles thrown into the mix.  There was a strong family resemblance and none of them stayed in one place long enough to give Grace a chance to put name and face together.  Nick was assailed over and over by his siblings.  Come here.  Do this.  See this.  Throw the ball.  Catch the ball.  Even Aaron, the latest pop star sensation, vied for his share of Nick's attention.  Grace used the excuse of her broken ankle to sit back and let Nick go, roughhousing with his brothers and sisters and cousins.  He would pass by her chair occasionally to have a word or to touch her hand or her cheek. 

After awhile, a panting Aaron dropped into the chair beside her.  "Hey, Grace," he said.  "Welcome to the Carter madhouse.  Lucky for Nick you have that broken ankle.  Otherwise, you'd be free to run away."

"Why would I want to run away?  I think it's wonderful.  Did his other girls run away?"

"Couldn't say," said Aaron. "You're the first one he's brought home in a long time.  Watch out!"  He reached in front of her to catch an errant ball.

"Oh, for heaven's sakes, can't you see the poor girl is crippled?" said Nick's mom, Jane. 

Grace grimaced to herself.  It had been obvious from the moment they met, that Jane Carter did not like her.  Grace wasn't sure if it was her personally, her age, or whether Nick's mom disliked any girl that claimed his attention.  She was barely civil and made it obvious that she considered Grace an unwelcome intrusion on a family gathering.  Nick's dad, Bob, had tried to make up for it by being friendly, but this kindness only served to make Jane even frostier.  Grace was tempted to French kiss Aaron right in front of her to see is she could precipitate a coronary.

Grace did not usually have such uncharitable thoughts, but this woman was a piece of work.  She spent half the time refusing help from people and the other half complaining about all she had to do.  She had dismissed Grace's offer with a wave of her hand and a haughty, "What could you possibly do?  You can't even walk."

Grace was not sure if Nick had noticed his mother's attitude toward her.  He had been swept away so quickly after the introductions that she had barely seen him.  Bob settled her in a chair where she could watch the kids play.  He offered her a drink and she accepted some lemonade. 

"We have harder stuff for the grown-ups," he smiled.  She assured him that lemonade was her drink of choice. 

Nick’s dad returned with a tall, frosty glass of it and sat down beside her.  “How did you and Nick meet?” he inquired politely.  Grace almost asked him if he wanted to take notes.  She knew he had been sent out by Nick’s mom to get the information.

"Oh, she fell for me in a big way, didn't you Grace?"  Nick loomed up in front of them, a frisbee in one hand.  He was sweating and covered in grass stains.  Grace wanted to kiss him all over.  She blushed at the thought.  Nick thought she was embarrassed about the way they had met.  He explained it to his dad quickly - Grace fell down; I picked her up; we went to the hospital; there's the cast.  "Gotta go," he laughed, as two youngsters tried to tackle him from behind.  He walked away with the two hanging from him.

Bob Carter turned back to her.  Grace could see him mentally turn to the next page of questions.  "So, Grace, um...as a grownup..." he looked across at Nick.

"How much more grown up am I than he is?" she asked.

Bob laughed, "Oh considerably, I would say, and that's maturity, not age."

"Why don't I just give you the thumbnail biography and then you won't have to do this?" she offered.

He rolled his eyes.  He nodded with his head toward the house.

"I understand completely," she said.  "And she has every right to know about me.  Believe me, if we were in Ohio right now, my mom would have sent my dad out with an even longer list of questions for Mr. Nick."

"You're a sweet girl," said Bob.

"Here goes.  My name is Grace Barrett.  I am 24 years old, but not for much longer.  I come from White Oak, Ohio, which is a suburb of Cincinnati.  I am a website designer, by trade, and my hobbies are books, music and baseball."

"The Reds?"

"Absolutely!  I want to live through what my parents did in the seventies with The Big Red Machine."

"Johnny Bench," said Bob.

"Frank Robinson," added Grace.

"Joe Morgan," put in Bob.

"Pete Rose," they said together, and laughed.

"Should he be in the Hall of Fame?" asked Bob.

"Absolutely!  No question about it!" responded Grace.

"Well, I think I have all I need to know.  Enjoy yourself, Grace and welcome to my home."  He stood up and turned away.

"Thank you very much...and Mr. Carter?" 

He turned back.  "Yes, Grace?"

"I will never hurt your son." 

Bob Carter smiled and nodded.  He wanted to ruffle her hair, but he knew he was being watched and he really wasn't prepared to put himself through that!

******************************

"Well, did you find out about her?" Jane Carter asked her husband, as she tossed salad furiously in the kitchen.

"Yes, I found out all the important things," Bob responded.

"Oh good," said Jane.  "Tell me."

"She'll never hurt our son and she thinks Pete Rose belongs in the Hall of Fame."

"That's it.  That's all the important things?!"  Jane Carter was disgusted.  It was exactly the kind of thing Nick would do, she thought.

"It's good enough for me," he responded, "But I'm sure you also need to know that she is 24."  He turned and walked from the room.


******************************

When dinnertime came around, Grace could see the Carter family dynamic in all its glory.  As hard as Jane tried to make things difficult for her, the men of the family thwarted her every move.   Jane tried to serve Grace her dinner in a chair with no table beside it, so that she would have trouble managing plate, cutlery and drink.  Nick and Aaron picked up a patio table and moved it close to her.  They then both pulled up chairs beside it, saying they would eat there.  Bob Carter made a move to rise and was pulled back into his chair by his wife.

Jane tried to talk about family things that Grace would know nothing about.  She succeeded for the first three minutes, until she said, "Of course, we shouldn't be talking about family things in front of poor Grace.  She knows nothing about any of it."

"Grace is a website designer," put in Bob.  That was all it took.  All of the kids and most of the adults turned interested eyes on Grace.  Next to pop star, it was pretty much the coolest occupation there.  Jane stabbed a forkful of macaroni salad and remained silent for the rest of the meal.

When dinner was over, Jane stood up.  Grace stood up at the same time.  "Nick," she said with authority in her voice.  "Sit your mom back down.  'Cooks don't clean up.'  Leslie.  Angel.  Boys too.  Let's go." 

Within minutes, the patio had been cleared of all dishes and food.  Jane's efforts to protest had fallen on deaf ears.  Half the joy for the men had come from seeing Grace become a hit with the younger members of the family; but half of it came from watching Jane sit there and seethe, knowing that the enemy had just taken control of her kitchen.

When it was time to go, Grace discovered that the Carter family members were huggers. They lined up to say goodbye.  The younger ones said goodbye and a couple told her she was 'cool'.  Leslie said they should go shopping sometime.  Aaron told her to take care and that he hoped to see her again.  Bob told her that it was a pleasure meeting her and he really hoped to see her again.  Jane was last and she didn't hug her.  But she did shake her hand and thank her for the spotless kitchen.  Nick opened the door and as Grace went to go through it, she heard Nick's mom whisper under her breath, "Take care of my boy."

Grace looked back at her and nodded.  They went through the door and were halfway down the sidewalk when Nick's mom called him back.  Grace continued her slow path to the car.  Nick caught up with her and opened the car door.

"Well, you're certainly a hit," he said.  "My mom has never been so complimentary about anybody before."  He tucked her crutches in the back and closed her door.

"What did she say?" asked Grace, when he had gotten in the driver's side.

"She said you were 'okay'."  He said it with a perfectly straight face.  Grace nodded, equally serious.  He backed the car out of the driveway onto the street.  Then he put it in 'park' and leaned across to her.  "Yeah, you're okay!  It's a fact.  My mom says so."  And he kissed her.

Grace treasured each second that his lips were on hers.  When he pulled back finally, she whispered, "Well, if we want her to continue to think I'm okay, maybe we ought not to do this in front of the house."

"Good point," said Nick and he put the car in gear. 
Chapter 15 by old_archive
Friday

"Hey Gracie-Facie," read the email.  It was from TFN, a computer friend from Kansas.  TFN stood for Totally Frickin' Nuts and he would happily tell that to anyone who asked.  He was actually a research analyst for some department of the government and led a fairly boring workday existence, although he let on to people that the government department was the FBI or the CIA.  He was married and had two small children.  He and Grace had met through an online conference on web design, her business and his hobby.

"So you've made the big time, I see.  Be careful, it's a scary world out there in entertainment.  And I see from the pictures that you are already wounded."  The email ended with a couple of website links.

Grace read the email twice before understanding it.  And it was only when she saw that one of the websites was called iluvnick.com that it sank in.  She paused with her hand over the mouse.  Did she really want to see this?

Grace and Nick had spent some part of every day together the past week.  Grace was beginning to get a taste of what his life was like.  They had gone to a movie.  They had gone shopping for clothes for him.  They had had two lunches and one dinner together.

There had been fans.  Of course, there had been fans.  Nick couldn't go anywhere without being recognized.  He was used to it and treated them well, signing things, posing for pictures with them and chatting.  The fans had been polite too, not intruding on them at lunch or when they were in the middle of something, but waiting patiently for them to exit a store or restaurant.  Grace had tried to stay back, offering to be the one to take the pictures for them, so they could be in it with Nick. 

Nick had taken her out on his boat twice.  Grace began to understand why he loved it.  It was so peaceful, just wide, empty ocean and clear, blue sky - no one demanding that he smile or sign an autograph or sing something - no one asking him awkward questions and then using his answers to try to prove he was stupid.

When they went out on Tuesday, it was a short jaunt, like the previous week, just a couple of hours.  But yesterday's trip had been longer.  Nick had picked her up in the morning and they had been out all day.  They had cruised for over two hours before finally stopping in a secluded bay.

"Oh, Nick.  This is so beautiful.  How did you ever find it?"  Grace was mesmerized by the beauty of the place - a small cove with a white sand beach, surrounded by trees and flowers growing wild.  At the back of the beach was a steep cliff.  The cove was totally isolated.  "It looks like a deserted island in a movie or something."

Nick was pleased at her reaction.  He had thought the same thing when he had discovered The Cove.  He always thought of it in capital letters.  It was one of his favorite places and he had never brought anyone here before.

"Yeah, I love it here.  I want to buy the land, but I can't figure out who owns it.  I haven't been able to find the place by land."

"Do you have the coordinates on a map?"  Grace asked.

Nick pulled out a chart from a shelf under the dashboard and opened it.  "We're right here," he said, pointing down at the map.

Grace looked down.  "Could I borrow this for a day or so?"  I might be able to find something out for you."

Nick nodded.  "That would be great.  And I won't be taking the boat out next week when I'm in New York."  He looked around, taking in the beauty and serenity of the place.  He sighed.  "It's just as beautiful under the water here, as it is above it."  He motioned to her cast.  "It's too bad you can't see it."

"But you can," insisted Grace.  "You don't have to sit here with me.  Jump in.  I'll sit here and enjoy the day."

Nick argued with her, but eventually gave in with a grin.  "Maybe a quick snorkel." 

He stood up and removed his shirt.  Grace looked at his tattoos.  She wanted to touch them.  He opened a compartment under the back seats and pulled out some fins and a mask.

"Is there anything I need to do?" Grace asked.  "I mean, safety-wise.  If you don't come up.  I mean..."

Nick smiled at her.  It pleased him that she was concerned for him.  He flopped over to her in his fins and took her face in his hands.

"If I don't come back up, I want this to be my last earthly memory."  He kissed her for a long time.  She ran her fingers across his chest and put her arms around him.  The feel of his hot, bare skin under her hands was very erotic and she caressed his back.  She could feel him begin to respond.

Nick broke away from her and grinned sheepishly.  He duckwalked to the side of the boat and jumped in.  Grace looked over the side and saw him treading water and smiling.  She tossed him the mask and snorkel and watched him glide through the water, tracing lazy patterns, like a fish.  She was afraid to take her eyes off him, but he knew what he was doing and didn't stray too far from the boat.

When he came out of the water, she handed him a towel.  He dried his hair and wrapped the towel around his waist.

"We're going to have lunch on the front deck," he said and put up a hand to forestall her protest.  "You can make it.  I'll help you."  She looked doubtfully at the thin railing and the narrow passageway.  He dropped the towel and said, "Come here." 

He lifted her up to the gunwale.  "Hold on to the rail along the cabin roof," he said, stepping up behind her.  He slid one arm around her waist and placed his other hand on the roof beside hers.  "We're going to do it like this," he said.  "I'm going to be your crutches.  You move along, using me to balance yourself.  I won't let you go.  Now, let go of the roof and just use me."

Grace took a deep breath.  What's the worst that could happen, she wondered.  We fall off the boat.  So what?  She figured he was strong enough to rescue her, cast and all.  She let go of the cabin roof and placed her forearms along his.  She moved sideways along the gunwale, doing a little hop-skip motion.  They reached the front of the boat and he lowered her to the deck beside a hatchcover.

"Be right back," said Nick, and disappeared up the boat.  She heard him moving around in the cabin.  Suddenly the hatchcover beside her popped open and his smiling face appeared.

"Hi again!" he said, and started handing things out to her.  Grace took the things from his hands - a small picnic basket which would later reveal sandwiches and fruit, a cloth bag containing towels and sunscreen and her sunhat.  He closed the hatchcover and a minute later was beside her again, carrying a small cooler, which he opened to show her bottled water and lemonade nestled among ice chips.  She accepted a bottle of water.  He took one for himself and closed the cooler, setting it aside.  He opened a locker and pulled out two mats, each about six feet by two feet.  He placed them side by side on the deck and covered them with towels.

"This will be softer," he said.  Grace used her hands and her good leg to drag herself to the mat.  Nick dropped down beside her.

"Are you hungry?  Do you want lunch?"

"Sure," she said, knowing that he would be hungry after his swim.  "But first, you need more sunscreen."

Nick nodded.  He spent enough time in the sun to know there was nothing macho about skin cancer. He took the bottle from the bag and slathered it on his chest and arms.  He put some in his palms and smeared it on his face and neck.  He finished with an extra dab on his nose.

"I'll do your back for you," offered Grace.  "Come sit here."  She moved her legs apart so he could sit between them.  She began to smooth the lotion over his back while he applied it to his legs.  Grace could not resist massaging the lotion in well, especially down at the waistband of his bathing suit.  Nick stopped what he was doing and enjoyed her touch.  His bathing suit was already drying out but it was still damp enough to be clingy and Nick knew it would not take much more to make him have an embarrassing reaction.

"Thanks, let's eat," he said moving forward from her.  He kept his back to her while he lifted the sandwiches from the basket and was finally able to turn to her.

They ate and drank and talked - about music they liked, about the movie they had seen, the latest adventure action flick.  Grace joked that Nick was obviously not trying to impress her anymore, as the film was far from romantic-comedy land.  Nick laughed and said he figured since it had Brad Pitt in it, that would fulfill the romantic requirements.  She said that the book was better than the movie. The book is always better, she said.  They talked about books for a bit, but Nick was not a reader and was way out of his league.  Nick was tidying up the lunch things when he noticed Grace yawn.

"The sun and the sea air got you again, didn't it?" he laughed.

Grace nodded.  "And the swaying of the boat is rocking me to sleep."

"I know," said Nick.  "I love spending the night aboard.  I sleep like a baby."

Grace started unbuttoning her blouse.  She opened it to reveal the top of a bathing suit.  "You can return the favor," she said, handing him the sunscreen and laying flat on her stomach.

"Be happy to," he said, "And when would you like me to wake you?"

She laughed.  "Nudge me to turn over every twenty minutes or so, so that I don't barbecue myself."

Nick spread the sunscreen on her back.  He rubbed it in slowly, massaging her gently.  He finished her back and looked down at her.  Her eyes were closed but he didn't know if she was asleep.  He poured lotion into his hand and began to rub it on her legs.  He started at the ankle of her good leg and worked his way up to her thigh, to the hem of her shorts.  Then he moved to her other leg and worked his way down to the cast.  He couldn't resist leaning down and kissing the back of her knee just above the cast.  The soft moan that came from her told him that she wasn't asleep, but had been enjoying what he was doing.

Nick lay down beside her, propping his head on one hand and using the other to trace lines down her arms and back.  Grace opened her eyes and gave him a lazy, sexy look.  She grinned and turned on her side facing him.  She reached up a hand to his face and pulled it down to hers.  She kissed him and ran her tongue along his lips.  Nick opened his mouth to her and they became part of each other.  Their tongues cavorted together, dancing and playful.

Nick's hand strayed to her breast.  He squeezed it gently and reached under her top to take her nipple between two fingers.  He rolled it back and forth and was pleased by her reaction.  She moaned deep in her throat and arched her back.  Then she moved her hand down his chest to do the same to him.

Nick released her mouth and lowered his lips to her throat.  He ran his tongue along her collarbone, causing her to gasp.  He pulled the strap of her bathing suit off her shoulder and nuzzled under the top.  He placed his mouth over her nipple and licked it roughly with his tongue.  Grace's head went back and her breathing became ragged.  She ran her hands down his chest to the waistband of his bathing suit.  Her fingernails danced across his stomach and this time the moan did not come from her.  She slid her hand down over his trunks and could feel the evidence of his arousal.  She rubbed her hand over him, feeling him harden further.

Nick's mouth movements became more active, licking and sucking her.  His hand trailed down her stomach to her shorts.  Then he lifted his hand and the next thing she felt was his fingers gliding up the inside of her leg.  She turned slightly toward him, but she was facing in the direction that made her have her cast on top and it was awkward.  When she moved toward him, the cast thumped down onto the deck.

He moved back from her and looked at her face.  "Did I hurt you?"

She shook her head and whispered, "No," in a voice husky with desire.

Suddenly, another noise invaded their precious space.  It was an airplane passing far overhead, but it reminded them both that they were not really on a deserted island.  Grace pulled up the strap on her bathing suit and Nick rolled onto his stomach.  He propped himself up on his forearms and looked at her.

"When does that cast come off?" he asked.

"Two weeks at the earliest," she sighed.

"I'm counting the days," he said, leaning over to kiss her.

"Me too," she answered.  But she knew there were other issues that would have to be dealt with then.

******************************

Grace shook her head, bringing herself back to the present and her computer screen in front of her.  Apparently she hadn't been as successful at staying behind the camera as she thought...click!  She hit the mouse.  She was on some kind of message board.  There was a list of topics down one side with numbers beside them that said how many responses that topic had.  The hot topic seemed to be New Photos of Nick.  She clicked on that.  It had been started by frackbaby.  'Here are the latest pictures of Nick.  I took them outside the marina.  I'm in the third picture with him.  I nearly died when he put his arm around me.  His new girlfriend took the picture for me.'

Uh, oh, thought Grace.  She clicked open the pictures.  She remembered the girl.  She had been so thrilled to be in a picture with Nick, Grace thought she might faint or wet her pants.  But Grace wasn't in any of the pictures.  What was TFN talking about?

She scrolled through the messages and got a sinking feeling in her stomach.  Each poster had oohed and aahed over the pictures and then had either asked for information about the 'new girlfriend' or had provided some.

'Who is this new girl?  Does anyone know anything about her?' kidkaos
'She has a broken leg.  She was in a cast and had crutches.'  luvnick4ever
'He was out with her last week.  I saw them on his boat.'  nickysgirl
'She was at the Galleria with him.' nicksdreamgirl
'I saw them together at Montana's.' luvnfrack
'Here's a picture of her. She's not exactly his type.' dolphingirl

Grace clicked on the picture, wondering what they thought Nick's type was.  She saw a picture of herself balancing on her crutches and holding a camera.  It had obviously been snapped while she had been taking a picture of Nick and a fan.  She didn't think she looked that bad.  She knew she was no movie star, but...

The discussion on the message board then centered on the final comment - she's not exactly his type.  The posters started telling each other off about whether they should make judgments based on appearance and how maybe someone wouldn't consider them to be Nick's type either, but boy, they sure would like to be.

This went on for awhile, with other comments mixed in about 'let's get back on topic' and 'I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone, I was just saying...' and then a repetition of the offensive comment.  It got boring after awhile because they started copying previous messages into their post so they could respond to it.  Grace shook her head.  They couldn't remember what was said three lines earlier?

She left the board and clicked on the second link.  She looked at it for awhile.  She didn't know whether to be amused or afraid for her life.

The phone rang.  "Style and Grace.  Good afternoon."

“Hey, you.” It was Nick. 

Grace smiled.  She couldn’t help it.  She looked at the clock.  He was due in five minutes.  She hoped he wasn’t calling to cancel.  “What’s up?” she asked.

“The elevator,” he answered. 

Grace puzzled over this cryptic answer.  What was he talking about?  There was a knock at the door.  She made her way over and opened it.  Nick stood in the hallway with his phone in his hand and a wide grin on his face. 

“You idiot,” she said into her headset.

“What kind of talk is that?” said Nick into his phone.  Grace shook her head and reached down to her waist to turn off her phone.  “And now you’ve hung up on me,” he continued with a shocked look.  “I just don’t know what to say.”  Nick disconnected his phone and gave her a long look from head-to-toe.  “Gotta say, that headset gives you a really sexy look.  Like you’re getting ready to launch the space shuttle or something.  Come in, Discovery.  This is Houston.”

“You nut,” said Grace with a laugh and she turned back into the apartment.  When Nick had closed the door, she turned to him and asked seriously, “Who’s Willa?”

He looked at her oddly.  "Willa Ford.  She's a girl I used to date.  Why?"

"Because apparently I had better not be another her."  She motioned to the computer.  Nick walked over to it.  He sighed.  Here we go, he thought.

Nick explained the whole Willa fiasco.  The hate-filled websites and their public bickering.  "We were young and stupid.  We didn't realize..." he waved at the computer.  "We had no idea how huge it would get."

Grace nodded slowly.  She knew how these things happened.  She was no stranger to the Internet.  But could she deal with such public scrutiny?   She didn't know.
Chapter 16 by old_archive
Grace moved to the kitchen area.  She opened the fridge and pulled out a bottle of water.  She held it up and Nick nodded.  Grace tossed him the bottle and pulled a second one out for herself.

“Well, anyway,” she began, “it forced me to phone my mother and tell her about me and Matt.”  Grace grimaced at the memory of that conversation.

"You're just telling your parents now?"  Nick asked.

"Matt said that I shouldn't tell them yet."  Grace wasn't sure how deep she wanted to go into this conversational well.

"Why not?" Nick figured it was obvious, but wanted to hear her say it.

"I think he thought I'd go back to him..." 

Nick nodded.  That was what he expected.  But he was surprised by her next words.

"...that I wouldn't be able to survive without him."

Not survive without him?  Jeez, what an ego the guy had.  Nick couldn't believe it.  "Did you always do what Matt said?"

“Yeah, for awhile.”  Grace’s eyes went far away for a moment.  Then she gave her head a small shake and looked directly at Nick.  “But I think I was learning that I didn’t have to and that I didn’t want to.  That’s why I’ve had no second thoughts about it.”

"None at all?"  Nick thought that sounded a little strange.

"Well, I have had my mind occupied elsewhere," she grinned and then froze as a shadow crossed his face.  "What's wrong?  What did I say?"

"Nothing, I was just thinking about something Kevin said."

"Ah, the all-knowing one!  What did he say?"  Grace didn't think Nick realized it, but his conversations were peppered with 'Kevin says'.

Nick told her what Kevin had said about him being Rebound Guy and that he would lose either way.

"And what does Nick say?" asked Grace defensively.

"Nick says he wants to see where this goes because he's having a really good time with you.  Okay?  That's what Nick says.  What does Grace say?"

"Grace says she wishes you would stop saying 'Kevin says'."

"Well, I'll stop doing that if you stop saying 'Matt says'.

They glared at each other for a moment, both knowing that the other had a point.

"Are we about to have a fight?" asked Nick.

"I hope not," said Grace.

"Me too," he replied, "Because, frankly, I'd rather be kissing you."  He stepped toward her and leaned down to kiss her.

"Yes, much better idea!" she murmured and reached her arms around his neck.  He pulled her to her feet and kissed her for a long time.  Then he held her head against his chest and they swayed back and forth together.

"Let's go eat," he said.  "I called Antonio's for a reservation."

"Oh, I hate eating there," she pouted.  They laughed.  She added, "Who's on the desk downstairs?"

"Gary.  That's how I got to do my little phone surprise thing.  I explained it to him and he let me come up unannounced.  Why?"

Grace pointed at a gift-wrapped box on the counter.  Pink kittens and bears smiled back at Nick.

"Jermaine's wife had a baby girl last Sunday.  It's a present."

"A book, right?!" guessed Nick.

"Yes, of course," said Grace, "and a cute little outfit too."

When they stepped off the elevator, Grace stopped and said, "Oh!"

Nick looked up to see what Grace was looking at.  There was someone new behind the desk, a tall, well-muscled black man.

"Nick, would you mind terribly?" she looked up at him, "That's Jermaine."  She handed him her apartment keys.  "Could you go up and get the gift?"

"Sure," he laughed, "But I'm telling you, that's not the guy that was there before."  He stepped back onto the elevator.

Grace made her way to the desk.  "Congratulations, Jermaine," she called out. 

Jermaine looked up with a big, beaming smile that touched every part of his face.  He stood up and shook her outstretched hand.  "Thanks, Ms. Barrett."

"Do you have a picture of her?"

"I sure do," he grinned, and pulled open a drawer on the desk to reveal an envelope from Fotomart. He proudly laid three pictures on the counter.  Grace looked down at a tiny pink bundle with huge, dark eyes.

"She's beautiful," Grace whispered.  "What's her name?"

"She's named after her grandmothers - Latoya Henrietta Wilson," he finished proudly.

"Sounds like a good strong name to grow up with," Grace said.

"Thank you, Ms. Barrett.  And wasn't I just the worst kind of fool going on and on about wanting a boy?"  He looked down at the pictures and shook his head.  "Just the worst kind of fool."

A 'ding' signaled the arrival of the elevator.  Nick stepped off and came to the counter.  Grace introduced the two men and presented the gift.  She told him to take it home and open it with his wife and baby.

"That will be great," he said.  "I'm only here for a couple of hours.  Gary had something he needed to do and he was great about covering for me last week."  He gathered up the photos and replaced them carefully in the envelope.

Outside, Grace insisted they walk to the restaurant.  It's only a couple of blocks, she said, and it's a lovely evening.  Nick fed some coins into the parking meter and they walked slowly up the street.


******************************


"So, if you've told your parents, does that mean that Matt is definitely history?" asked Nick spooning up a large mouthful of spaghetti.

"Yep, uh huh," muttered Grace around a bite of garlic bread.  She didn't mind discussing Matt with Nick, but she wasn't ready to discuss other things.  Things he needed to know...or maybe he didn't, but maybe she needed to tell him.  Or maybe she didn't.

"Does he get that - that he is history?" Nick continued, after swallowing.

Grace shrugged.  "Hard to say.  He's used to getting his own way."

Nick looked at her thoughtfully.   "Do you think he'll give up?"

"Eventually," said Grace.  Then she smiled, "I'm sure he can do lots better than me."

Nick picked up her hand and squeezed it.  "Not in this lifetime," he replied.


******************************


After dinner, they walked slowly back.

"I can't wait until you don't have those crutches.  I really want to hold your hand," Nick sighed.

Grace smiled, "Me too!"

They passed Petey, coming up the sidewalk with the empty pizza bag in one hand.  He had car keys in the other and was heading for the distinctive red and green Volkswagen with Antonio's written on the side.  Inside were stacked several more pizza bags.  Petey nodded to them.  "Ms. Barrett, uh...Nick."

"Hey, Petey!" Nick nodded back, but Grace said nothing.  She was looking past him to where Matt Lowry was sitting on a bench outside her building, tossing his car keys from one hand to the other impatiently.  He stood up as he saw them approach.

"Evening, Grace!"  He looked Nick up and down and turned away from him dismissively. "I see you've still got your boy toy."

"Matt!"  Grace was outraged.  "How dare you?"

"I dare because I am tired of waiting for you to come to your senses.  You said you needed time and I've given it to you."

"I don't need any more time, Matt.  We're through.  I don't know how to make it clearer.  I told you the other day."

"Grace, you're not thinking straight."  A note of pleading crept into his voice.  "Who is going to take care of you, this...this kid?"  He flipped his hand in Nick's direction.

Nick's jaw was set so firmly that his lips were white.  His hands were clenched into fists.  Anyone who knew him well would have recognized the look in his eye as dangerous.

"I can take care of myself!" insisted Grace, starting past Matt toward the door.

"Oh, yeah?!  Well, what about...?" and he leaned down and whispered something in her ear.

Grace recoiled from him and her eyes filled with tears.  "Go away, Matt," she murmured.  "Leave me alone."

"You heard her," said Nick, "Go away and leave her alone."

Matt reached into his shirt pocket and pulled out a card.  "Yeah, well when she flips out on you, give me a call."  He slapped the card against Nick's chest.

Nick's hands came up and he shoved Matt hard.  Then he braced his feet and raised his fists.

"No, Nick, don't," begged Grace, looking around for help.  She saw Gary inside, leaning against the desk, watching the scene unfold through the window.  He was smiling.  When he saw Grace looking at him, he changed his expression to one of concern and swung into action.  He came through the door, one hand on his hip, gripping his key ring as if it were a gun.  Nick and Matt were eying each other warily.  Both were looking to take out their frustrations on the other's face.

"All right, gentlemen.  Let's break this up.  You're upsetting the lady.  Mr. Lowry, please get in your car and go!"

Matt glared at Gary and then at Nick.  Then he looked at Grace, cowering by the door trembling.  "You know where to find me, Baby, when you're done with him."  And he turned on his heel and walked away.

Nick's fists slowly unclenched.  His jaw started to loosen.  He watched until he was sure Matt was not going to come back.  Then he turned to Grace.  Gary was holding her awkwardly, trying to hug her around the crutches.

"It's okay, Grace.  He went away.  It's okay," Gary said soothingly.

Grace looked past Gary.  "Nick," she whispered.  Gary immediately let her go.  He turned around and leveled his gaze at Nick.

"I'm not so sure brawling on a public sidewalk would do much for your image, sir," he said sternly, and the word 'sir' dripped with sarcasm.

"Omigod," said Grace, looking frantically up and down the street.  She could see no one.

"You're right.  I'm sorry.  Thanks for stepping in, man."  Nick was calmer now.  "Come on, Grace, let's get you upstairs to a chair."

He moved past Gary and held the door open.  Gary watched them until they were on the elevator.  Then he turned back and picked Matt's business card up off the sidewalk.  He looked at it and tucked it into his shirt pocket.

Nick and Grace were silent until they reached the door of her apartment.  When she put the key in the lock and turned it, she realized the door was already unlocked.  Nick must not have locked it when he got the gift, she thought.

"Grace," Nick began, helping her through the doorway.  "I'm sorry...I just...I couldn't stand to see him treat you that way...I have a bad temper...I know that...I..."

"Hush," she whispered and stilled his words by placing her mouth on his.  They kissed gently and sweetly.  They both seemed to realize that it was not a moment of passion.

Grace backed away from him.  “I’m okay.  Really, I am.” 

Nick recognized this as his cue to leave.  He kissed her again and headed for the door.

"Hey, Nick," she said with a grin.  He stopped and looked back at her.

"What would Kevin say about this?"  She laughed and after a moment, he did too.  But going down in the elevator, he thought that it was no laughing matter.  What would Kevin say?  If Nick had been photographed fighting in public, or God forbid, arrested again?  Kevin's words would peel the paint from the walls.  He stopped in the lobby to thank Gary again for stepping in, but he didn't see him around.  He went out to the street to get in his car and stopped cold.  Running along the side of his Cherokee was a long scratch.  Someone had dragged a key from one end to the other.  Nick looked around and saw no one.  His anger resurfaced as he climbed into the car and the tires squealed as he pulled away from the curb.

Upstairs, Grace turned to her apartment.  Something was different.  She could feel it.  She looked carefully around, but could see nothing out of place.  Still, she couldn't shake the feeling that everything was not the way it was supposed to be.
Chapter 17 by old_archive
Saturday
"Why is your car in the shop?" Howie asked.
Nick had called to tell Howie he might be a little late for the meeting.  Nick explained and added, "Don't tell Kevin, okay?"
Howie sighed.  They did this to him all the time.  It was hard to keep up with who knew what and who wasn't supposed to know.  It made his head spin and he wondered if maybe this wasn't something Kevin did need to know.
But the mood Kevin was in when he arrived convinced Howie to hold his tongue, at least for the moment.  Howie didn't even mention that Nick might be late - he just prayed that Nick would get there on time.
Howie was hosting today's meeting at his place.  It didn't matter that it was Saturday.  In their world, the work week did not run Monday to Friday.  This was a business meeting with the accountant for KBNHA.  Having their own record label had sounded like a good idea when they first thought of it.  They were sick of arguing with the people at Jive and they wanted more control.  They hadn't realized how much work it would take.  And, of course, they couldn't even have themselves as clients; they were still under contract to Jive.
They were meeting with the accountant today to see if they were breaking even.  They weren't looking to get rich with KBNHA, but they didn't want to lose their shirts either.  If it was bad news financially, at least two and maybe even three of them would want to walk away.
This had all been Kevin's idea in the first place.  This was his baby and he wasn't going to let it go, even if the other guys gave it up.  He really wanted to get more involved in the production end of the business.
The atmosphere was tense, as they awaited the arrival of the accountant.  Howie was flitting from one to the next, serving soft drinks and playing host.  Nick had barely made it on time and AJ had arrived late and scowling.  Brian asked him what was wrong. 
"Wedding plans," he announced tersely.  Brian nodded.  He'd been there and done that. 
"Honestly," said AJ, "I'm surprised that any relationship makes it to marriage when it has to go through this first."
Brian laughed, "I hear you, Bone.  That's why I just stepped away and let the women do what they wanted.  'Tell me when to show up and what to wear', I told them."
"Well, I tried saying that too.  But she 'wants my input', she says."  He made little quotation marks around the words with his fingers.  "Like I give a rat's ass what color the bridesmaids' dresses are.  Or what kind of flowers are in the centerpieces.  And I kind of made a mistake and told her so."
Nick burst out laughing.  "Bad move, Bone!"
"Don't I know it!  She went nuclear on me.  Started crying and asking me all those questions that you can't answer right no matter which way you go."  He did a very precise imitation of Sarah's voice.  "'Is it making the decision together that's bothering you or making it at all?' That kind of crap.  How are you supposed to answer that?"
Brian nodded.  He had been on the receiving end of a few of those questions himself.  "Yeah, questions with no answers.  I hate those."
"I got asked a question today that I didn't have an answer for," announced Kevin quietly.  They all turned to look at him.  He had been sitting in an armchair with his long legs stretched out in front of him.  His head was back and he was staring at the ceiling.  The other four didn't even think he had been listening to their conversation.
"What was that, Train?" asked Howie.
"I was asked what I thought of Nick's new girlfriend.  And I didn't know how to answer, because, of course..."  He sat forward in the chair and leveled his eyes at Nick.  "I haven't met her yet.  Why is that, Nicky?"
Oh shit, thought AJ.  Kevin only called Nick 'Nicky' when he was upset.
Because you're so damned hard to please and I didn't want to put her through that yet, thought Nick. But he didn't say it out loud.  A commotion at the door announced the arrival of the accountant and saved him from having to answer.  But he knew he'd better have an answer ready for the end of the meeting.
Sure enough, as soon as the business was finished with, Kevin came back to the subject.  The discussion had gone well and everyone was pleased with the bottom line.  Kevin had lost some of his belligerence, but not all.
"So, when are we going to meet your...?"
"Grace," said Nick.  "Her name is Grace."
"Grace and Nick are coming to dinner at our house tonight," said Brian.  "If you and Kris want to join us, that would be cool."
Kevin looked at Brian.  "Oh, so you've met her."
"No," said Brian.  "But I will tonight.  Really looking forward to it.  So is Leigh."
Nick did not know what to say.  There were no plans for them to have dinner together.
Kevin nodded.  "Okay, I'll call Kris.  See if we can make it."  He walked to the other side of the room and pulled out his phone.
"What the hell are you doing?" hissed Nick.
"Don't worry about it," whispered Brian.  "They're always busy.  This way, maybe you and Grace can drop by for a drink, we'll meet.  It'll be okay, you'll see."
Kevin called from the other side of the room.  "Okay, we're good.  What time and Kris wants to know if she can bring anything."
"Umm...tell her I'll have Leigh call her," Brian stammered.  He and Nick looked at each other.  Now what?
They walked out together.  "Okay, no problem," said Brian, "I'll call Leigh and tell her what I did and she'll make it happen."
"Yeah, and she'll tell Kristen, because she tells her everything."
"Good point. I'll tell her not to tell." Brian nodded. 
"If you tell Leighanne not to tell Kristen, Kevin will know about it instantly.  And if you tell her she can tell Kristen but that Kristen shouldn't tell Kevin, he will know about it even sooner."
The two men looked at each other.  They wished they understood women better.
"Okay," said Brian.  "I'll tell Leigh the absolute truth."  He paused.  "That I was trying to help you out."  They mulled that over for a moment.  The absolute truth.  They shrugged.  Might work.
"She loves you, Nick.  She only wants you to be happy.  And she's kinda wondering why we haven't met Grace either."
"Speaking of which, I'd better get on the phone to her and make sure she's free tonight."
"Why wouldn't she be free?  Is she seeing someone else?"
"No...but, you know how women are...last minute date...I don't want her to think I'm taking her for granted.  And I'm supposed to be home packing."  He shrugged.  Brian nodded sympathetically.  Women!
Chapter 18 by old_archive
"Style and Grace, good afternoon."

"Hey there!  Are you working?  Am I interrupting you?"

"It's okay," said Grace hitting Save and then swiveling her chair away from the computer.  "I'll make up for it next week when my main distraction is out of town.  How's the packing coming?"

Nick, AJ and Howie were headed to New York to do a promotional thing for DLF, Howie's charity.  Grace planned to atone for lazy days spent cruising the ocean by concentrating on her work fulltime.

"Um...are you busy tonight?" asked Nick tentatively.  "I wondered if you would go to dinner with me."

Grace looked at her watch.  It was already three o'clock.  "Is this your way of putting off packing?" she chided gently.

"No...um, it's just that..." and he proceeded to explain what had just happened.

"Meet Kevin?  Jeez, I don't know, Nick.  My armor's at the cleaner's."  She laughed, but she was suddenly very nervous.

“Please,” pleaded Nick.  “Brian will look bad if we don’t.  And he was trying to do a good thing.”

“Okay,” conceded Grace with a sigh, but she didn’t see how any successful evening could be built on such a web of lies.


******************************

"Kevin Scott Richardson, you will behave yourself this evening.  Do you hear me?"

"Now Kris, when am I not the soul of gentility and Southern courtesy?"

"When you are raking one of Nick's girls over the coals, that's when!" she shot back.  "And you aren't going to do that tonight."

"Yes, dear," he grinned, advancing toward her.  "Whatever you say, dear."  He slipped his arms around her and kissed her.  "Will I get a reward later if I'm a good little boy?" he asked, a mischievous grin lighting his face.

Kristin gave him a sexy look.  "If you're a good little boy at dinner, you can be a bad little boy later."

Kevin laughed.  "Deal!" he stated emphatically.  "I'll behave."

Kristin sobered.  "Seriously, Baby, Leighanne says that Nick really likes this girl.  And the whole broken leg thing is kind of good, because it's giving them time to, you know, get to know each other without sex getting in the way."

"I wouldn't let a little thing like a broken leg get in my way of having sex with you," laughed Kevin, running his fingers down the side of her face.

"Down, boy!" she laughed.  "Come on, let's go!"

******************************

Nick and Brian had been wrong about how much Kristin would tell Kevin.  Leighanne and Kristin had lots of things they kept from their husbands.  When Brian told Leighanne what he had done, she gave him hell and told him she’d do the best she could.  She immediately called Kristin.  They talked it over and decided it had to be quick and simple – steaks, baked potatoes, salad.  Kris would order a dessert from her favorite bakery and have it delivered.  Leighanne would hit the market for some easy appetizers – pate, crackers, cheese.  Done!  Now what about this girl?   

Leighanne told her everything Brian had told her so far, which was everything Brian knew.  He discussed everything with his wife.

"It sounds like he's really interested in her," said Kris.  Kevin had said very little to her on the subject, other than the first day when he told her how they met and his doubts about it lasting, especially with the ex-fiancé so recently departed from the scene.

"Yeah, Brian thinks this could really be something but then again, you know Brian.  He is so desperate for Nick to find someone, he likes them all.  Not that there have been that many that have lasted into the second week."

Kristin laughed.  "Yeah, and people don't believe it, but he's had some long dry spells.  If Nick was getting it as much as the fans thought he was, his thing would have worn right off by now."

The two women laughed together and made a pact that they would decide as quickly as they could whether or not they liked Grace.  If they did, they would do their best to spare her the Kevin inquisition.  If they didn't care for her, they'd turn him loose.

******************************

"Where's your car?"  Grace asked Nick, as he was handing her into a hired car.

"I might feel like drinking tonight," he answered.  He didn't want to tell her about the scratches on the car.

"Is it going to be that bad?" she asked, a worried frown settling on her face.

"No, it's going to be great.  You're great.  I know they'll like you."

"Stay with me!" she commanded, squeezing his hand.

"It will be my pleasure," he said, picking up her hand and kissing it.  They held hands in silence for the rest of the trip.

"We won't be too late," Nick said to the driver when they arrived.  "Pick us up about ten, if you don't hear from me earlier."  The driver nodded and handed over his card.  Grace hoped he wouldn't be hearing from them in the next ten minutes.  She looked at her watch.  It was only six o'clock - four hours to go!

Brian answered the door and ushered them in.  "We're out back on the patio," he said.  Grace got a glimpse into some rooms as she made her way slowly behind him.  She was willing to bet he hadn't had any say in the decorating decisions.  Every room she saw was totally feminine - overstuffed and frilly.  Leighanne would hate my place, she thought, all spare and angular.

"Kev and Kris are already here," Brian said over his shoulder, causing Grace's stomach to turn over. She felt Nick's hand on her shoulder and she stopped.  She turned toward him.

"Good luck," he whispered and kissed her.  She made a face at him and stepped outside, trying to take in the scene.  The patio was lovely - lots of potted plants and flowering bushes.  There was a small pond with a fountain burbling water into it.  Off to one side was a rectangular table with a green glass top.  A green and blue mesh umbrella poked up from the middle of the table and provided shade.  Seated in high-back lawnchairs covered in the same fabric as the umbrella were two blonde women.  Grace wasn't sure she could tell them apart.

"They're here," Brian called out and the little troop started making its way toward the table.  Leighanne met them halfway and Nick made the introductions.  Then he turned to Kristin and did it again.

"And I'm Kevin," said a deep voice behind her.  Grace turned her head and looked into the most gorgeous face she had ever seen.

Wow! she thought.  His pictures, stunning though they were, did not do him justice in person.  Especially his eyes.  She realized that she was staring.  "Grace Barrett," she stammered, trying to hold out her hand.  But he was behind her and the crutches made it awkward and her hand was left flailing in mid-air.  Great start, she thought.

Kevin reached around her and took her hand.  He shook it firmly, "Pleased to meet you, Grace."  He looked at Nick.  "Finally." 

Nick narrowed his eyes.  Don't start, he warned Kevin silently.

Leighanne ushered Grace to a chair.  Would she prefer a lounger, what with her leg and all?  Brian, bring over that lounge chair.  Grace’s protests that she was fine were overridden by Leighanne’s fussing.  Finally, Grace was ensconced on a lounge chair.  Nick pulled up a chair close to her, so that she wouldn’t be isolated from the group at the table.  Kevin picked up his chair and set it down on the other side of her.

Suddenly, Grace realized that she wasn’t the only one who was nervous.  Kristin was biting her bottom lip and darting glances at Kevin.  Brian bustled around taking drink orders.  Leighanne trailed after him.  Nick shifted back and forth in his chair.  All this nervousness had the strange effect of calming Grace down.  Maybe, I just don’t appreciate the gravity of the situation, she mused.

She took a deep breath and turned to Kevin.  “So, would you like to see my driver’s license to begin with?”  She heard the sharp intake of breath from Nick and Kristin.  Brian and Leighanne froze where they were.

Kevin looked her over from head to toe.  He saw that she had no purse with her.  "Yes, please," he answered and a lop-sided grin crept across his face.

"Tough," she shot back.  Their eyes locked together.  His broke away first, as he threw his head back and laughed.

"So where are those drinks, Bri?" he asked the host.  The tableau unfroze as people started moving and breathing again.  Nick and Kristin exchanged a glance.  Score one for Grace, he thought.  It's early in the game yet, she thought.

Things moved along smoothly.  Drinks and appetizers were served.  Grace's request for a soft drink was acceded to with only a slight raising of eyebrows.  Conversation centered on Nick's trip to New York and then Leighanne's new movie.  Grace was quiet, content to listen, but answering easily any comment directed her way.  The subject of her profession eventually came up.

"Grace doesn't like our official site," Nick stated.

"Really?" asked Kevin, turning toward her.  "Why not?"

Grace didn't detect any challenge in his tone and answered the question honestly and in detail. 

Kevin listened intently, nodding once or twice and asking a couple of questions.  “You really know your business,” he said, when she was finished.  “I’ve never liked that website and you just explained to me why.”

"Okay, guys, hit the grill."  Leighanne appeared in the doorway with a platter full of meat.  The three men rose and headed to a large barbecue at the other end of the patio.

The women sat and made jokes about men barbecuing in packs.  Leighanne cleared the appetizers and went back inside to get dishes and cutlery.  Kristin and Grace sat in silence for a few moments.  Kristin was pleased that Grace could do that.  Some people couldn't do silence - they had to fill the air with talking.

"You're doing fine," she said after a minute.  Grace looked at her and grinned.  "He just really wants the best for Nick," Kristin continued.

"Who wouldn't?" said Grace, looking over to the little huddle by the grill.  The look she bestowed on the tall blond touched Kristin's heart and when Leighanne reappeared carrying plates and salad, Kristen stood up to help her.

"It's all good," she whispered in Leighanne's ear.  Leighanne nodded slightly.  She thought so too.

******************************

Conversation lagged over dinner, as people were busy enjoying the food.  After dinner, Leighanne announced that it was getting too buggy for her outside and dessert would be served in the family room.  She declined offers of help from both Kristin and Grace, insisting there wasn't much to tidy up and she'd get to it later.

"Better be careful," said Nick and described Grace's marshalling of the troops at his parents' place the previous Sunday.

They all looked at Grace, who shrugged.  They were impressed.  Anyone who could bring Jane Carter to heel was all right with them.

They enjoyed dessert - a strawberries and cream cake concoction that looked like it might sit heavy on an already full stomach, but which was surprisingly light.  Grace exclaimed over it.

"Yes, it is good.  Kristin orders it so often, the bakery is thinking of renaming it after her."  Kevin looked lovingly at his wife.

"You should tell Antonio about it," said Nick to Grace and they were off on a discussion of their favorite restaurants.

Coffee and more drinks were served.  People moved about the room.  Grace was stuck in an overstuffed chair.  She had to sit, as she couldn't manage crutches and coffee at the same time.  The others made sure that she wasn't left on her own and they kept a wary eye on Kevin.  Nick flitted around her until Leighanne finally told him to stop hovering and help her carry the coffee things out.

Grace was desperate to get out of the chair and move, but she knew there was no way to do it gracefully.  Kevin read her mind.  He held out his hands to her and hauled her to her feet in one elegant motion.  "Even I have trouble getting out of that chair," he said, "and I have much longer legs than you."  He smiled down at her.

"And both of yours are working!"  Grace added.

"What's the first thing you're going to do when the cast comes off?" asked Kristin.

"Have a bath," answered Grace without hesitation.  "I want to soak in the tub - all of me."  She laughed, "I want to be wet."

"You're just like Nick," said Kevin, "a couple of water babies."

Grace looked over to where Nick and Leighanne were coming back into the room.  Kevin followed her glance and then looked at Kristin.  He smiled at her and nodded.  Yes, it was all good.
Chapter 19 by old_archive
Tuesday

“Style and Grace.”

“Hey there!” 

Grace’s heart leapt at the sound of his voice.  “Hey there, yourself!  How’s the Big Apple?”

“It’s pretty big.  It’s an amazing city.  Have you ever been here?”

“No, I was going to go for a weekend last year with my sister, but Matt said he thought it would be too dangerous.”

“It’s not that dangerous if you’re careful,” Nick answered.  Jeez, this Matt guy was something else.  What a control freak!

“Said the man with the big, hulking bodyguard,” laughed Grace.  “Of course, an anonymous computer geek probably wouldn’t be besieged by screaming fans.  How are the fans?”  Grace  clipped the phone to her belt and grabbed her crutches.  She made her way to an armchair and sat in it sideways, making herself comfortable for a long chat.

In New York, Nick sat on his bed, leaning back against a pile of pillows, his long legs spread out in front of him.  Nick loved talking to Grace.  He felt like he could talk about anything with her.  She made him feel at ease with conversation – something he had never been able to do before.

Nick had never been taught to talk with people.  Long conversations were something he had never encountered.  He had lived in a world of sound bytes and Q & A sessions.  He sat at a long table with his brothers and prayed he wouldn’t say anything stupid. 

It was hard to come up with an original, interesting answer when four other people had just answered the same question and it was the same question they had been asked the day before and the day before that.  And they had learned early on that you had to say something different each time.  Brian had used the exact same answer to a question twice in two days and people leapt on it, saying they were scripted and unoriginal, just like their music.  

Nick thought it was ironic how quickly they had gone from being discounted as a manufactured pale imitation of New Kids on the Block to being written off as has-beens with the advent of similar groups, such as NSYNC.  Even the fleeting blaze of glory that was Millennium had been buffeted by criticism and cries of ‘lucky break’.  It didn’t seem to matter how many a cappella performances they gave at press conferences, the media was determined not to like them or acknowledge their talent.

And they zeroed in on Howie and Nick as the weak links in extemporaneous speech.

Kevin took the lead in interviews, answering slowly and thoughtfully.  AJ didn't care how he sounded.  The more outrageous the better, he figured.  Brian was always sincere and, when in doubt, thanked the Good Lord or the fans or both.  That didn't leave much for the other two. 

Howie always answered earnestly, but his words didn't come out right all the time.  Howie never realized this as he was speaking.  In his mind, the words were fine.  It was only later that people would tell him what he'd said.  He would shrug it off and laugh.  So what? he would say. 

Fine for him, thought Nick, but not so easy for me.  Everyone knew that Howie mixed up his words but they called it 'cute' and 'endearing'.  They saved descriptions of 'stupid' and 'dumb' for Nick.

Nick realized when he had said something wrong the moment it was out of his mouth.  His famous "I resign here" comment, when he was asked what he thought of Florida, had never been forgotten.  His own personal memorable humiliation had occurred when a British interviewer had asked the nervous youngster if he had any tattoos and did they effect his sex life.  "I'm only 15," he had answered honestly.  "I don't have tattoos or a sex life."  The fan mail from that one had amused and titillated Denise McLean, their publicist at the time, for months.

Each of them had a public persona they could do little about.  Brian was the down home country boy with a sincere faith in God and an undying devotion to his Lord, his wife and his country.  Oddly enough, this was almost exactly the truth. 

Kevin had fought hard against the Backstreet Boy definition of himself.  He had established his JWR environmental foundation and spoken out numerous times as a serious political lobbyist on behalf of environmental causes.  It was an uphill battle but one he was determined to win.  Nick thought it would probably be easier for Kevin to be taken seriously, if he wasn't so damn handsome.  It didn't matter how often he spoke out before Congress or at environmental summits, it was what he did with his hair that generated the most talk on the fan sites.

AJ had thought he was the smartest of them all.  By choosing the 'wild child' image, he could do and say almost anything with impunity - the more tattoos, the wilder the hair color, the more they loved him.  It had almost killed him, of course, when he had started believing his own hype and living out his wild fantasies.

And Howie.  Dear sweet Howie.  Sweet D.  That was pretty much all you needed to say, thought Nick.  The man did not have a mean bone in his body.  He saw the best in everyone and just wanted the whole world to be happy.  Howie was the epitome of pouring oil on troubled waters.  You couldn't be mad at him.  He always meant well. 

Nick wondered how he did it.  Nick couldn't manage it.  He always seemed to be mad at someone - often himself.  He tried to keep his anger under control, but inwardly, he raged at the destruction of his youth, the lost opportunities to learn something, to be of use.  He hated being the youngest, bristled whenever anyone but Howie or AJ called him 'Nicky'.  He wanted to be treated like a grownup, even though he wasn't really sure he was one.

Grace treated him like a grownup.  She asked his opinions on a wide range of topics from politics to the weather.  Sometimes, he had to admit that he didn't really know much about it, and she would quickly fill him in, not in a condescending manner, but in a way that said she understood that his career didn't include opportunities to scan the latest headlines every five minutes as hers did.  Nick didn't like to read, but he had begun reading the newspaper every morning.  AJ had been all set to tease him about it the first morning in New York, but a shake of the head from Howie had warned him off.

******************************

Friday

Nick had called Grace every night from New York.  He loved the time difference.  It meant that he could get her before he went out in the evening or even after he came home.  Two o'clock in the morning was only 11:00 in California and she would still be up, sometimes still at her computer.

Tonight he was calling her at 1:00 New York time.  They had finished the charity gig and had returned to the hotel to change.  They were going clubbing on their last night in town.  Sarah had not come to New York with AJ.  Wedding plans, he had explained, rolling his eyes.  He was looking to cut loose a little.  Nick said he was going to call Grace.  Give me five minutes, he said.  You mean, give you an hour, said Howie.  He hadn't met Grace yet, but he liked the change he saw in Nick since he had met her.  Less angry, less...Howie didn't really know how to say it...less looking to hurt someone.

Nick could hear Grace moving around her apartment.  He pictured her wearing her headset, the phone hitched to her waistband.  He didn't know why that image turned him on, but it did.  He swung his legs up onto the bed and leaned back against the headboard.

"Tell me what you're doing right now," he said.

"Actually, I was just about to go to bed," she said.  "I'm tired.  It was a long day."

"Are you wearing the headset?" he asked.

"Yes," she replied.  She knew he liked her in that for some reason.

"Where are you in the apartment?" he asked.

"I'm in the bedroom," she answered.  There was a pause as they both digested that sentence.  Actually, she was in the big room, but as hastily and silently as she could, she turned off lights and made her way to the bedroom.

"What are you wearing?" he asked with a catch in his voice.

"Khaki shorts and a cotton blouse," she responded.

"Put the phone on the nightstand," he ordered, "and take off your shorts."  They both paused and considered the game they were about to play.  He waited with bated breath, hoping he hadn't gone too far.

"Okay, they're off," she whispered.

"Describe your underwear," he said.

Grace looked down at her plain cotton briefs.  "They're nylon," she breathed, "Flesh colored bikinis with lace over the...middle area."  She made a mental note to buy some like that.

Nick leaned his head back and closed his eyes.  "Take off your blouse," he ordered.  His hand wandered downward and adjusted his pants to make room for his growing erection.

"Okay," she whispered.  "I did."

"Describe your bra," he demanded huskily.

“I’m not wearing one,” answered Grace, quietly removing her plain cotton bra and tossing it behind her.  Nick’s sharp intake of breath made her smile.  She pulled back the covers on the bed and crawled onto it, placing the crutches on the floor as silently as she could.

“Now I’m laying on the bed,” she said, taking the lead in the game.  “How do you want me to be?”  He moaned into the phone.  She smiled and leaned her head back.  She had never done anything like this before.  It was very liberating.

“Put two fingers in your mouth,” he whispered.  Grace complied, sucking on them gently. 

"Now move them down to your throat." 

She did.

"Those are my lips," he said.  The feeling that swept over her was overwhelming and she felt it in every nerve ending.

"Now move them downward," he breathed, "to your breast, to your nipple...my lips..."  She did what he said, a tiny whimper escaping her throat and racing through space to New York, where it made an erection grow larger and begin to throb.

"Now the other one," he panted, his voice thick with desire.

"Mmmm..." was all he heard, but he could picture her manipulating herself, her eyes closed, her lips slightly parted.

"Nick, I want you here," she breathed so softly that he barely heard her.

"I know.  I wish I was there too.  I wish those really were my lips moving down your stomach, kissing your sweet skin, putting my tongue in your navel."  He heard the groan and knew that her fingers were tracing the pattern he described.

"I'm running my tongue along...awww fuck!"  They both snapped back to reality with the pounding on Nick's hotel room door.

"Come on, Frack, we want to go!"  AJ called out petulantly.

"In a minute," Nick yelled back and then spoke into the phone.  "Sorry 'bout that.  We're uh...going out...they're waiting."

"Mmmm..." said Grace, clearing her throat and trying to sound normal.  "You go on and have a good time.  But, um, Nick, I remember something you said to me the first night we met."

"Yeah, what's that?" he asked.

"You said you give good phone.  And you were right.  You really do."

"I'll be home tomorrow," he said.

"I'll be here," she answered.  "'Night."

They disconnected and he went to the hotel room door.

"Holy crap, Nick.  Are you planning on taking that with you?"  AJ pointed at the bulge in Nick's pants.

"Aw, Grace and I were just messing around a little on the phone."

"Well, do you want five minutes to get rid of it? 'Cause if you do, hurry up.  We're ready to roll."

"Nah," said Nick, with a secretive little smile.  "I think I'll keep it awhile.  Let's go.  Where's D?"

"Waiting by the elevator," said AJ, following Nick up the hall.  He shook his head.  This girl must really be something.  Popular notion had it that being a Backstreet Boy meant getting laid all the time.  And in AJ's case, it had been true.  Before he met Sarah, he had slept with lots of girls, at least one after every concert.  He would point out the one he wanted and his security guy, Jonas, would arrange to have her taken to Jonas' room.  Jonas couldn't count the number of times he had slept in AJ's room because AJ was banging away at some broad in his.

But Nick...never on the road.  Nick was too scared of the media.  The frenzy surrounding Willa had frightened him and made him distrustful of girls who said they wanted him.  One-night-stands weren't his thing anyway.  On the road, he'd curl up with his video games. No video game ever asked him to help it get into show business.  No video game ever generated a website full of hatred. No video game ever offered him a blow job in exchange for an autograph.

******************************

Grace leaned her head back against the pillows and replayed the conversation in her mind.  Phone sex!  Who would ever have thought it would be such a turn-on!  She slipped her fingers under the waistband of her panties and searched out her center.  She was already wet and she stuck two fingers into herself for lubrication.  She pushed her panties down and spread her legs.  She massaged herself gently, then faster and harder, as she pictured Nick's mouth over hers, over her breasts, her stomach, her...

She came with a bucking of her hips and a guttural sound of pleasure.  "Nick," she whispered, "Oh, Nick." as she arched her back and her head slammed back against the pillows.

A few minutes later, her breathing returned to normal.  The visions of Nick stopped flashing before her eyes.  She removed her hand from her crotch and pulled up her panties.  She got off the bed and headed for the bathroom, grabbing her nightie on the way and cursing the crutches.  She looked at herself in the bathroom mirror.  Passion still glazed her eyes and her cheeks were red.  She ran the hot water and washed herself all over as best she could.  She knew her knees were too weak to manage a shower at this point.
Chapter 20 by old_archive
Saturday

Grace slept late the next morning and woke up with a smile on her face.  Nick was coming home today!  She tried to sort out her feelings for him.  He was sweet and charming, not the big egotistical pop star, but just a kind-hearted...she stopped herself from saying 'kid'.  She knew that Nick was in awe of her job and her lifestyle. He thought she was so much in control of her life.  She shook her head at that.  And just because she liked to read, he thought she knew everything.  She shook her head at that too.

Grace crawled out of bed and made her way to the kitchen.  She looked around the big room at the five vases of flowers that were sitting there.  Matt had sent her one every day this week with a note of apology for his behavior last Friday.  He had called four times and left voice mail messages ranging from flat apology to pleading to barely-contained anger.  She had not had to speak to him. 

She had also not told Nick about the flowers and she wasn't sure she had made the right decision there.  She didn't want to bother him with something like that while he was on the other side of the country, but he might not see it that way.  He might think she was hiding something from him, that she was still involved with Matt. 

Matt had enlisted her parents on his side and that had been three painful moments of the past week. She had patiently explained to her mother, then her father, and then her mother again, that she did not want to marry Matt, that she was not in love with Matt, and that she was not even sure she liked him very much any more.  In answer to the question, are you in love with this other guy, this...Backstreet Boy, she said nothing.  Because she didn't know what to say.  Was she in love with Nick?  She didn't know what love was.  She knew that now.  Maybe she could find out with Nick.  Maybe not.

Grace got dressed and made coffee.  She made her way over to the computer and powered it up. She set herself to her first task - checking her email.  This used to be one of her favorite parts of the day - but no longer.  Not since she had been publicly identified as 'Nick's girl'.  Her email address had been published on a number of message boards along with details about her business and a listing of the websites she had designed.  She had gotten some compliments about her work from it, but that didn't begin to compensate for the hundreds of emails she received from Nick's fans.  Most were friendly, wishing her good luck, telling her to take care of him, oh, they wished it could be them.  But a few had a more belligerent tone - you're not good enough for him, why don't you find someone your own age? you had better not hurt him.  And there were a couple that she had saved in a special file - nasty, threatening missives calling both her character and her ancestry into question.

She had not replied to any of them and she had not told Nick about them.

After finishing with the email, she planned her next campaign.  Throwing out five vases of flowers when you are on crutches is a big production.  And she still had two to go when the phone sounded. It was Jermaine, announcing Nick's arrival.  Shit, she thought.  What time did his flight leave New York?

Nick had come straight to Grace's from the airport.  He left his bags with Jermaine and hurried to the elevator.  Jermaine smiled as he watched Nick punch the button four times impatiently within a space of ten seconds.

Nick knocked on the door.  He heard Grace yell, "It's open."  He pushed the door open. 

"Grace, how many times have I told you to lock this door when you're in here alone?"  he scolded.   He stopped when he saw her by the counter.  A warm feeling spread through him.  "I missed you."

"I missed you too," she whispered and felt her stomach flip flop as he swept her into his arms and kissed her.  When he set her back down, several minutes later, she said, "But not when you nag me, Mr. Bossy Boots.  The door was open because I was taking stuff to the garbage chute."

"Okay, okay," he laughed.  "I'm just saying...wow, where did you get those?"  He pointed at the two floral arrangements sitting behind her on the counter.

"Oh, Matt wanted to apologize for his behavior last weekend," she waved her hand through the air as if the flowers meant nothing.

Nick felt bad that he hadn't thought to send her flowers from New York.  He changed his guilt into anger as he so often did.  "And how many times did he apologize?" he asked with an edge to his voice.

"Five," said Grace airily.  She shrugged. 

"Why didn't you tell me?"  Nick was still upset, although Grace didn't seem to be.

"Because I was afraid you would react just the way you are doing right now.  And I wouldn't be in New York and be able to calm you down.  Like this..."  She slipped her arms around him and hugged him, running her fingers over his back and kissing his shirtfront.  Nick allowed her to do that for a moment, and then he set her away.

"And because they mean nothing to me, Nick.  He can send me flowers every day.  It means nothing to me.  He can call and leave messages and have my parents phone and beg on his behalf, it means nothing."

"And did he do all that too?"  Nick really wanted to hurt this guy.

"Yes, he did, but I haven't spoken to him and I don't intend to." 

Nick let it go for the moment, but he wanted to discuss it further.  He felt that he didn't understand a relationship that Matt couldn't let go of, and that Grace had tossed off so easily.

"How come he only sent five?" he asked, tilting his head to one side.

"What?" asked Grace.  Now he didn't think there were enough flowers!?

"Well, his boorish behavior was last Friday and that was seven days ago.  How come he only sent five arrangements?"

Grace laughed.  "Because he has his secretary send them.  And she only works Monday to Friday.  You see, Nick, he didn't make any effort himself, just said to Janice, send flowers to Grace."

Nick nodded.  Good point, he thought, but he made a mental note to send Grace flowers at the first special occasion he could think of.

"Anyway, I'm back.  I brought you a present."

"Yes, you did, but could I have another one please?" she said, referring to his kiss.  She tilted her face up to him and he obliged to the extent that she felt she was having an out-of-body experience.

“I have something for you too,” whispered Grace, breathlessly.  “It’s sort of a present.  Maybe.”

"What is it?" he grinned.  He loved surprises as long as they weren't named Matt.

"You have to drive me somewhere first," she said.

"Okay, let's do this"  Nick suggested that they take a cab to his place, dump his bags and get his car.  Then he would drive her wherever she wanted to go.  He didn't want to let her out of his sight.  She acquiesced happily.  She didn't want to let him go either.

She grabbed her stuff and hobbled to the door.  As they were locking the door, Nick pointed back at the flowers.  Don't throw them away yet, he said.  They are pretty.


******************************


During the ride to Nick's house, they held hands and whispered how much they missed each other.  They were too smart to display any public passion in the cab, but were barely inside the door of Nick's apartment when they started in again.  "When does that cast come off?" he demanded.

"I go in on Monday for an x-ray.  It could be then or I could have to wait.  The doctor says he thinks one more week at least."

"Grrrrr," growled Nick.  Grace laughed and rumpled his hair.  Nick announced that he wanted to take a quick shower.  He took Grace out onto the balcony of his condo, which had a magnificent view of the ocean.  She leaned on the railing and breathed in the air.  Nick's apartment was a reflection of the man.  There was barely any furniture in the living room, where a long leather sofa faced a large TV.  It was attached to a sophisticated video game set-up with speakers.  There was a DVD player and VCR also rigged to it.  It was the focus of the living room.  There was a fireplace that had never been used, and along the mantel was a series of Oriental jade figures.  The only painting that had been hung on the wall also had an Oriental theme.  Several other paintings were leaning up against another wall, waiting to be hung.  They had been there since Nick moved in, over a year ago.  A couple of side tables held souvenirs from his travels and gifts from fans.

The housekeeper had been in while Nick was in New York, but if she hadn't been, Grace would have seen stuff everywhere.  Clothes, scuba gear, CDs.  When Nick finished with something, he dropped it wherever he happened to be.  His occasional clothes shopping forays were usually due to the fact that he didn't have anything clean left hanging up.  He loved being on tour.  There were people there to take care of stuff like that for him.

The kitchen cupboards were full of dishes that had been provided by his Mom, but he hardly used any of them, other than glasses.  The bedroom had a king-sized bed. Nick slept in it corner to corner when he was alone.  He rarely had a girl spend the night with him.  He much preferred going to her place.  It was easier to get rid of her.  He could just get up and go.  And she wouldn't have his address.  Grace didn't know it but she was the first girl in several months to see the inside of his place.

Nick finished with his shower and they headed off up the coast.  In answer to Grace’s question, he said that he had eaten on the plane and wasn’t hungry.  They could stop for something to eat whenever she wanted.  They chatted easily about lots of things, but Grace turned aside every effort Nick made to find out what she was up to. 

Eventually, she said, pull in here.  Nick stopped at the side of the road.  He looked around.  There was a deserted fruit stand by the road and a ramshackle cabin further up a rutted dirt lane. Why were they here, he wondered.  He got out and came around to help Grace get out of the car.

"What is this place?" he asked. 

"It's your dream house, if you want it to be," she replied.  He looked at her questioningly.

Grace pointed at the highway and explained.  "That is the Pacific Coast highway.  Along this stretch of it, there is only a narrow portion between the highway and the ocean.  And that land all belongs to the government.  It is high cliffs and they don't want anybody trying to build on it."

"The Cove!" he said.

"Yes," she said.  "The Cove is right down there.  But you can't buy the land.  You can, however, buy this land."  Grace pointed at the shack.

"And why would I want to do that?" asked Nick.  "So that I could be right here beside the spot I wanted to be, but couldn't be?"  He shook his head.  That didn't sound right, but she knew what he meant.

“So that you could have access to that.” Grace pointed across the road again.  Then she explained.  An old law said that even though the government owned the land, they had to allow access to the ocean to the landowners on the other side of the road.  So the person who owned the fruit stand was the only one who could have access to the ocean from the beach in The Cove.

"But you can't get to The Cove from up here," said Nick.

Exactly, she said.  So there would never be any trespassers.  And access to the ocean from the beach was no different than access to the beach from the ocean. 

"So if I buy the land this shack is on, I'm buying exclusive rights to The Cove."

She nodded.  "And would you like to know how much that will cost you?  I made inquiries, not in your name, of course."  She quoted him a figure that was so low it was laughable.

"You're kidding," he said.

"Nope.  Don't you see, Nick, the very reasons that you want this place are the reasons that nobody else does.  It's deserted.  No one stops here.  They go through here on their way to someplace else."

Nick picked her up in his arms and twirled her around.  "You're wonderful.  I love you for this."  Grace's brain froze solid at his words.  She didn't think he was even aware of what he had said and she decided to ignore it. 

"My pleasure," she whispered as he set her on the ground.  He kissed her and then threw his head back and shouted for joy. 

"The Cove.  I'm going to get The Cove."  He looked at the little shack.  "It's weird.  I'm going to buy a piece of land that I never want to see, because any time I'm in this area, I want to be down there." 

Grace fished the realtor's card out of her waist pack and handed it to him.  "Welcome home."

"This is the best present.  And now you get yours."

"Oh, good.  More kissing," she said.

Nick reached into his pocket and pulled out a little box.  Inside was a small gold chain.  It was beautiful.  Nick shifted from one foot to the other.  He wasn't good at this stuff.

"It's an ankle bracelet.  For your ankle."  Jeez, ya think?!  "It's for when you get your cast off.  So you'll always remember me.  How we met."

"It's beautiful," she said.  "You're beautiful.  Let's go back, so you can buy your property.

On the way back, she fingered the bracelet as he drove.  "You know," she said.  "Maybe I need to get a bunch of these for remembering other things."

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"I keep forgetting where I've put things.  I guess I just concentrated so hard on work this week that I lost track of things, but stuff keeps turning up missing and then when I find it, it's not where I thought it would be."

"Maybe it's old age," he joked.  He was more comfortable with their age difference than he had been.

"Listen up, sonny," she said in an old lady voice, "I can still run rings around you, you young whippersnapper.  Well, maybe not..." eying her cast, "but I can still out...out..." she searched for something she could outdo him in.   "...outread you," she settled on.  "My God, I am old."
Chapter 21 by old_archive
"Grace, I have to know more about Matt." 

They had returned to the city and were sitting in Nick's living room playing video games.  She set the controller down.  She nodded.  It was a huge shadow looming over their relationship.  She had to reduce the shadow with words.

"Matt and I are from the same town, White Oak, Ohio.  It's near Cincinnati.  He's five years older than me and we actually first met when he dated my older sister, Julie.  They didn't hit it off, though."

Let's hear it for Julie, thought Nick.

"A few years later," continued Grace, "I came home from university.  I'd had a bad experience and I dropped out early in my junior year.  I was at home and my Mom knew Matt's mom and he just started dropping by.  He was working, all finished with school..."

Nick nodded.  He didn't like all this talk of college and university.  It reminded him that all he had was a high school diploma that wasn't worth the paper it was written on.  Grace hauled herself to her feet and made her way to the fireplace, where she made a study of the Oriental figurines there.  Nick waited patiently.

"It didn't even seem like dating at first...just watching TV or going for walks.  And then simple things like bowling or a movie.  At some point, it just kinda changed  from friendship into..."  She paused and a puzzled expression came across her face.

"...love?" asked Nick.

"Yes, I guess so," she muttered absently.  But her mind was far away.  She picked up one of the figurines and studied it.  "He was good to me."

"When did you get engaged?" Nick prodded gently.

"Well, we had this big fight..." she began.

Nick laughed.  "Is that how engagements usually begin?"

Grace laughed too.  "No, I don't think so.  We had been dating for awhile...nearly two years...I had done some college courses online and was getting my diploma in website design.  I wanted to move out here.  There are a number of good companies in the area.  Matt didn't want me to go.  Neither did my parents.  They were on his side.  They didn't think I could survive on my own.  So Matt asked me to marry him so he could keep me in Ohio."

"But you're not in Ohio, and neither is he."

"No, because I said I wouldn't marry him.  He wanted to keep me safe, but I wanted to fly a little, try life on my own, not just move from my parents' home to his.  I needed a little 'me' time."

"I bet he didn't take that well," Nick guessed.  He had seen Matt being rejected and it wasn't a pretty sight.

"No, he didn't.  And my mother..."  Grace rolled her eyes at the memory of her mother, standing at the kitchen sink, sobbing and saying, 'Why?  Why?' over and over.

"So, we compromised..."

Compromised.  Odd word to use for an engagement, thought Nick.

"I was allowed to move out here for a year to see if I could make it on my own.  Then at the end of the year...well, they never really got that far in their planning.  I'm sure they thought I'd be scurrying back home long before that."

"'They' being Matt and your parents?"

Grace nodded.  "Mostly my Mom."

"And did you make it?  On your own?"

"I never really got the chance to find out.  When Matt saw that I wasn't going to cave in to him this time, he arranged a transfer with his company and he came too.  He didn't tell me about it until the last moment.  And I just let him come.  I was used to him making the decisions."

"I don't get it, Grace.  You seem so independent and so in control.  I mean, you run your own business...why did they think you were so helpless?"

Grace closed her eyes and looked at the floor.  Then she took a deep breath and straightened her shoulders.  She looked at his face.  The depth of pain he saw in her eyes almost made him gasp out loud.  He set down the game controller and rose to his feet.

"Because for awhile, I was helpless.  I had a...when I came home from...after the..."  She searched for the right words.  What were the right words to tell someone you were crazy?  "I had a breakdown.  I withdrew from the world...stayed in my room...just surfed the Net and listened to music...lots of yours, by the way..."  She grinned feebly.

Nick was trying to process the information.  He was trying to match this picture of Grace as a helpless, broken individual with the person running her own company and living out her dream by the ocean.

"What happened?" he asked.  He wasn't sure he had the right to know.  He wasn't sure he wanted to know, but he had to ask.

Grace hesitated.  These were hard words to say out loud.  She was afraid of his reaction, afraid he would be repulsed, or worse, pitying.  She knew the relationship could go no further unless she spoke now.  But she could not meet his eyes.  She looked at the floor.

"I was raped." 

"Noooooooo..."  An anguished cry came from Nick as his heart broke for her.  He didn't know what to do.  He wanted to take her in his arms and hold her, but he wasn't sure she would want to be touched.  On the other hand, he didn't want her to think he was rejecting her.  Man, he wished the other guys were here to tell him what to do?  What would Train say?  Hold her.  He heard Kevin's voice as clearly as if he were standing next to him.  He mentally asked the others and their voices came back.  Hold her.  Hold her.  Brian.  Howie.  Now, you big dummy.  AJ.

Nick walked over to her.  He lifted her chin with one finger.  She looked up at him, searching for his reaction, fearing rejection, praying for understanding, dreading pity.

She saw confusion.  He didn't know what to do.  Well, that makes two of us, she thought and was warmed by the fact that he didn't have a ready answer to something she had been struggling with for years.  She reached up and touched the hand that was touching her face.

"Oh, Grace.  I don't know what to say.  I don't know how to make this better."  Nick slipped his arms around her and held her gently.  Grace leaned her head against his chest.  His arms tightened and he kissed the top of her head.  Then he mentally slapped himself.  Comfort her, you ass, don't come on to her.

Grace let him hold her for awhile, wishing it could be forever.  Then she moved back.

"It's not up to you to make it better.  Oh, God!  That doesn't sound right.  I mean...you can't make it better.  No, that sounds worse."  She tried to gather her thoughts and make a coherent sentence.  "It's over.  It was a long time ago.  It doesn't have anything to do with us..."  She looked at him, searching his face.  "At least, I hope it doesn't."

Nick pulled her to him.  "Someone hurt you," he whispered, "and that hurts me."

Relief washed through her.

******************************

Nick picked her up in his arms and carried her back to the couch.  He sat down and placed her so that she lay sideways in his arms. 

"Tell me if you want to," he said.  "If you can."

Grace blessed him silently for having placed her in his arms in such a way that she could meet his eyes or not, as she needed, without feeling evasive.  Haltingly, she told him the story.

The story of how she was in her third year of university.  How she was dating a fraternity boy, a Big Man on Campus who had suddenly seemed interested in her.  The Head of Rushing at the Kappa Alpha Fraternity House.  How he had invited her to the Fraternity Initiation Party where all the veterans made fun of the pledges and had them do stupid things.  How he had told her that the punch was non-alcoholic.  How that had turned out to be a lie - the punch was, in fact, the infamous Purple Jesus, grape juice laced with club soda for sparkle and straight alcool - 100% alcohol - for the 'punch'.

Grace had a couple of glasses, out of boredom really.  Nothing much seemed to be happening.  She and the other girls stood around the big frat house living room waiting for the music to start, maybe some dancing.  The frat boys ran around, giggling, conspiring against the pledges.  The girls were disgusted, but secretly pleased that they had been chosen to be a part of it. Grace talked them into starting the music themselves.  They gathered around the stereo, but when Grace tried to pick out a CD, she realized she had trouble seeing the cover.  Everything was suddenly all whirly.  She shook her head to clear it, but that just made her dizzy.

"Hey, Babe," came a voice behind her.  It was Mike, her date.  "Are you okay?"  She turned toward the sound of his voice and stumbled.  He grabbed her before she fell.  "Whoa, there!"

"I'm feeling dizzy and fuzzy," she said, and started to laugh.  "Are you sure there was nothing in that punch?"

"Oh, God, don't tell me you had the punch!" he responded.  "I told you - don't go near the purple punch.  It's for the pledges."

Grace knew that this was not the truth, but she couldn't seem to put together the words to argue with him.

“Come with me,” he said.  “You need to sleep this off.”  Mike led her from the room, explaining loudly to the other frat boys that ‘Grace was a little bombed and needed a nap’.  He helped her up the stairs to his room.  They stopped at the bathroom long enough for her to throw up and then he laid her down on his bed.  “You’ll be fine, baby,” he assured her.  “Just go to sleep.”

And so she had.  But she had been awakened by voices in the room.  Arguing. 

"Grace," said a voice in her ear.  "Are you a virgin?"

She wasn't really sure where she was or who was talking to her.  Her head was whirling and it took all her concentration not to throw up again.   "Yes," she whispered feebly, not knowing who she was talking to or why they were asking this question.

One of the pledges had not been able to fulfill one of his challenges.  To have sex with a virgin.  He had been trying all term, he said, and he had made it with several girls, but they all turned out not to be virgins.  It wasn't his fault, he argued.  He had done his best.  They just weren't making virgins like they used to.  He was there with his sponsor, Jim, to put it before the Head of Rushing.

"Grace, can you help Dan out?" said a voice that she thought was Mike's but she wasn't sure.

"Mmmhh?" she asked.  What was the question?

"She said 'yes'," said Mike.  "Got a condom with you?"

Dan nodded and patted his pants pocket.  Dan and Jim looked at him.  Was he sure? This was his girl.  What was he doing?

"You're right.  There just aren't that many virgins out there any more."  He jerked his thumb at Grace.   "I cultivated her for just this purpose," he said.  "Take her."

And he reached over and pulled up her skirt.

******************************

Grace couldn't remember much of the first rape.  She vaguely recalled someone tugging at her clothes and pulling her legs apart.  She remembered pain and a sense of being smothered, but that was all. 

The second rape was a little more vivid.  She had been coming back to herself, the effects of the alcohol wearing off.  Probably throwing up had helped with this.  The second rapist was Jim, the advisor to the pledge.  Watching Dan pound away at Grace had aroused him.  His hand had wandered down to his crotch.  This amused Mike, who pulled open the drawer of his nightstand and fished out a condom.  He tossed it to Jim and said, "Go for it."  Jim had not really wanted to be a rapist, but he did want to have sex, so he had pulled her shirt up and pulled down her bra.  He had manhandled her breasts for a few moments and then he pushed himself into her and satisfied himself.  Grace still had not been able to move physically, to protest or push him away, but she knew what was happening to her.  She had whispered, "Don't, please don't." over and over but it had no effect.

The third rape was the one that broke her spirit.  It was Mike.  After the others left, he carefully removed all of her clothing and while he was doing so, he explained to her in gentle, soothing words that this was all her fault, that she was a drunken whore, that he was the Dean's nephew, that many people had seen her drunk, but that no one had seen either Jim or the pledge with her.  Your word against ours, baby.  Now wake up and make my day.  He slapped her hard and she came up fighting.  But that was what he was waiting for.  He was already inside her and the harder she fought, the harder he laughed and the more he enjoyed it.  He came inside her, leaning his head back and yelling in satisfaction.  When he was done, he threw her clothes at her and told her to get out.  But I'll keep these, he said, holding up her bra and panties.  Just in case you decide to do a Debbie Whittaker.

The tears fell from Nick's eyes.  Silent, pain-filled drops.  He didn't know what to say.  He couldn't imagine the pain, the humiliation.  He was afraid to touch her.  Afraid she might think he was one of them.  But his arms closed around her.  He had to keep her safe.  That was all he knew.   All the plan he could come up with right now.  He had to keep her safe.

Grace leaned back in his arms.  She felt his anguish and his strength and his comfort.  But there was so much more.  How could she ever make him understand?
Chapter 22 by old_archive
Grace had stumbled home from the fraternity house.  She had gone into her dorm room and collapsed on the bed.  She was shaking so hard she could barely breathe.  She looked at the empty bed on the other side of the room.  Thank God Tracy had gone home for the weekend.

Grace dragged herself into the shower.  Her legs were shaking so badly she couldn't stand, so she sat in the tub and let the hot water rain down on her.  She rubbed herself hard all over with soap, but she couldn't get clean.  She felt dirty and used.  She finally dragged herself to her bed, after checking the lock on her door three times and placing a chair under the handle.  She cried herself to sleep, curled up in a fetal position, hugging herself.

She slept for most of the next day.  She was afraid to get out of bed.  Her head ached and her body hurt.  Finally, she knew she had to get up.  Her roommate would be home and wondering why she was in bed.  She dragged herself out and stood in the shower again.  Then she walked over to the dining hall.  She felt like every person that passed her was staring at her - that they could tell what had happened to her.

She got a tray full of food and sat down at one of the tables.   The conversation at the table died.  She looked up and saw a group of girls who had been at the party the night before.  She read their faces and did not see sympathy or concern, but rather disgust.  She looked at them inquiringly.  What was happening?

"Jesus, Grace, don't you have any respect for yourself?" asked one.  Grace looked at her.  What was she talking about?

"I sure hope you made them all wear condoms."  All?  Made them?  Grace was confused.

"Oh, don't try and look so innocent, Miss I'll-be-a-virgin-til-I'm-married," added another.  "It's all over campus that you did almost the entire KAP House last night."

"No," Grace whispered.  "No, I didn't.  They..."

"It better not have been my boyfriend," said a third.  Grace looked up into the face of Jim's girlfriend.  Her eyes gave it away before she had a chance to recover.

"Oh, my God, Grace.  How could you be such a whore?"

Grace discovered that the frat boys had done their work.  While she had been sleeping, they had been spreading the word that she had spread her legs for anyone who had a condom.  They were launching a pre-emptive strike, just in case she decided to do a Debbie Whittaker.

******************************

"Who's Debbie Whittaker?"  Nick asked softly.

Grace looked up at him.  The pain in her eyes cut through to his soul.  "She was this girl.  She was date-raped the first year I was there.  It wasn't the same guys.  She went to the Dean.  He didn't want to hear about it, didn't want the bad publicity for the school. So she went to the police.  They arrested the guy.  It split the campus.  Half the people blamed her, said she had led him on and what was she doing in his room, and she was wearing sexy clothes, just asking for it.  The other half said that the guys had been getting away with this for too long and 'no' meant 'no'.   Everybody tried to make her into a symbol for their cause.  She lost her identity totally.  She was just the 'rape girl'.  And the guy and his friends churned out so many lies in the form of gossip and rumors that people started doubting her and she became the 'vindictive girl'.  She dropped the charges and left school.  She went home and locked herself in her parents' garage and turned on the car."

Nick's arms tightened around Grace.  She had left school too.  She had gone home to her parents.  Oh, please God, don't let her have tried to...

"I left.  I didn't even try very hard to stay.  I didn't have the courage.  I just ran away.  I went home and told my parents that I was dropping out, that my courses didn't interest me and that I wouldn't go back.  I didn't tell Mom and Dad what happened.  My dad would have killed them.  If he could have beat my mother to it.  They knew it was something more than what I was telling them.  They figured some guy had broken my heart, but they couldn't get me to talk.  Literally.  I wouldn't speak. I spent all day in my room, sleeping, listening to music.  Or I'd go for walks, four or five hours long.  They were so afraid for me."  Her voice broke on these words and it was a couple of minutes before she could continue.

"One day, my mom ran into Matt's mom at the supermarket.  Mrs. Lowry said that she had heard I was home from school and my mom lost it a little.  She said how worried she was and Matt's mom suggested that maybe Matt could come over and visit and maybe that would help.  They meant well..."  Her voice trailed off.  She was silent for a few minutes.

Nick was not going to be the one to break the silence, even if he had to sit here for a week.  Eventually, Grace began again, her voice small and tremulous.

"Matt came over one day.  My Mom made me come out of my room - said I had a visitor.  They didn't have to worry about me being presentable.  I took three or four showers a day."  She looked up at him, anguish written in her eyes.  "But I couldn't get clean."  Nick nodded slightly in understanding and she continued.

She told him how, at first, Matt would just sit there with her, talking, letting her be silent.  He would talk about people they knew, how his workday had gone, news stories of the day.  Eventually, she began to answer him, short one-word answers.

"It took weeks for him to get me to do that.  He had incredible patience.  I can't believe he stayed."

But he had stayed.  He had gone with her on her long walks, soothing her with an endless stream of words.  He took her to movies and let her sit in silence watching the screen.  They went bowling and she threw the balls down the alley without a word.

"He figured out what happened to me.  He didn't know the details but he could see my reactions when he mentioned certain news stories.  And we went to a movie where there was a trailer for a new movie and it showed a woman being assaulted.  I got up and went to the ladies room and threw up."

Matt decided that it was time for Grace to deal with it and stop hiding from life.  It was over a year since she had come home from school.  She was beginning to come out of her shell, thanks to him, but she still spent all day cooped up in her room with her computer.  He saw her after work and on weekends, but she still had those long hours in which to brood. 

"We went for a drive.  He took me out in the country.  We climbed a hill and he pointed at the surrounding countryside.  It was really quite pretty.  And then he said to me..."  Grace's voice broke and she paused again.  Her face was pinched and white.  Nick was feeling out of his element.  He wanted to be here for her, but maybe this would be better handled by a professional.  He sure wasn’t going to stop her now, though, and ask her if she wanted a shrink.

Grace took two deep breaths and then continued.  "He told me that we were the only ones there.  No one but him was there to hear.  And he wanted me to say the words out loud.  He wanted me to say what had happened to me.  I shook my head.  I said, No, over and over again.  Finally, he grabbed me by the arms and shook me.  He held my face in his hands and he told me that if I didn't do what he said he was going to tell my parents."  Grace started shaking.  Nick tightened his arms around her and rocked her. 

Grace's voice was cracking and she was gulping great lungfuls of air.  She had to get through this, she knew.  Nick couldn't believe that she wasn't crying.  But her body was shaking so much, he was afraid she might go into convulsions.

"So I did.  I looked at him and I said, 'I was raped' and he said, 'Say it again' and he made me say it over and over and he made me shout it.  He said we were the only ones on the hill and no one would hear me, and he made me shout it over and over again until I was hoarse."

And when she was done and could say it no more, Matt had held her in his arms and said, "There.  Now that's over.  Now you can get better."

Nick thought that was a little cold, but he hadn't been there.  Maybe it was the right thing to do.  Tough love, or whatever they called it.

So that was it, Grace said.  From then on, she and Matt were together.  They dated for another year. She did her college courses online and got really good at web design.  Matt hated it.  For him, it was a symbol of her seclusion, her illness, her weakness.  Then she told him she was moving out to California.  She was feeling much stronger, better about herself.  She knew she had him to thank for that, but she wanted to try life on her own.  He argued with her  she wasn't ready, she would fail, she needed him - and finally, he told her parents.

"What?" Nick was aghast.

"No, he didn't tell them what happened to me.  But he told them that I wasn't as strong as I thought and I shouldn't be going away and blah, blah, blah.  He enlisted my mother on his side, and believe me, Joan Barrett is a formidable weapon, especially when she thinks she is protecting her baby.  Between them they wore me down for six months."

"So first he made you strong and then he tried to make you weak again," muttered Nick.  Grace nodded.  "How did you convince them?" he asked.

"Daddy," she said, and her voice broke.  "I think he knew.  I think he figured it out too, what had happened to me.  He always called me his Baby Bird.  And he could see how important it was to me and he finally put his foot down and said that a Baby Bird had to leave the nest sometime.  And I had his permission and blessing to go to California."  Grace was crumbling.  She was stammering so badly, she could hardly get the words out.  Tears streamed down Nick's face.  He had a feeling that he was hearing his own parents described.  He understood completely.

When next Grace spoke, her voice was cold.  "And there you have it, the sad tale of Grace Barrett.  But Matt won after all.  He said that he wanted me to marry me, that he would allow me to have this little 'fling' of independence, as he called it.  He insisted that we get engaged, and I just gave in like I was used to doing.  That sounds so awful and it wasn't like that.  I did believe I loved him.  I believed he had saved me and I was grateful.  I thought that was love.  And I believed that once he saw that I could survive on my own, he would be happy for me.  For us.  But he never gave me a chance to prove it to him.  To prove it to myself."

Grace became silent.  Nick held her in his arms.  The light faded and they sat in the dark.  Finally, he lifted her off him.  He stood up and picked her up in his arms.  He carried her into his bedroom and laid her on the bed.  He lay down behind her and held her.  They lay like spoons, fully dressed.  They fell asleep together without a word.
Chapter 23 by old_archive
Sunday

The next day, Nick drove her back to her place.  It was Sunday and he wondered if she could stand another foray to the Carter zoo.  She said that she would be delighted.  They didn't speak about what had happened the night before.  They were both feeling very comfortable with each other and they didn't want to run over it with words.

When they arrived at Grace's, it was Josh who was behind the desk.  He had taken over from Gary and had felt that with the mood Gary was in, he was lucky to escape with his life.

Gary had come on duty late Saturday.  He had enough seniority that he didn't have to do the late Saturday shift, but he liked it.  It was when he saw the most action, could make the most notes on the comings and goings of the tenants.  Before going off duty, Jermaine had gleefully told the tale of Nick's arrival from the airport and how he and Grace had gone off together, obviously in love.  Gary had bristled at the story, but smiled stoically at Jermaine and agreed that yes, wasn't that good news for Our Grace.  He had waited all night for her to come home, had even called her place twice, thinking maybe he had missed her coming in when he was busy.  But when he went off duty Sunday morning, Grace had still not appeared.  Gary hoped she knew what she was letting herself in for.  This guy didn't have a very good track record with the ladies.  Gary wondered if he should say something when he saw her next.

Nick picked her up again at three o'clock.  They had both had naps, though neither admitted it.  The previous night was not mentioned, but there seemed to be an added touch of tenderness to their greeting.  It wasn't the fire and heat of the previous day's reunion, more of a blending of souls.  Nick noticed that the vases of flowers were still on the counter.  He asked Grace if she wanted him to put them back in the big room.  No, she said, she wanted to cull out the dead blooms.  She would put them back herself later.

Aaron was out of town and Grace was sorry to have missed him.  She had enjoyed talking to him.  She worried for him.  Not only did he have to withstand all the same pressures that Nick had done, he had to do it as a solo act and as Nick's younger brother.  But so far, he seemed to be succeeding. Grace loved it that Aaron and Nick performed together every chance they got.

Jane Carter was much more amenable to Grace's presence this time around.  She treated her as an adult.  She even allowed Grace to help out in the kitchen.  There was a much smaller crowd this time, only immediate family, but that was still a houseful. 

"Nick told me what you did for him, with the land and all..." Jane began. 

Grace smiled.  "It's a beautiful spot.  It should be saved.  And Nick will save it.  He won't let anyone spoil it."

They chatted about Aaron.  Jane asked her about her family.  Grace described the backyard barbecues of her youth in Ohio.  Jane told her a story about Nick as a baby.  Grace laughed but was glad Nick wasn't there to hear it.

"Are you in love with my son?" asked Jane abruptly.

Grace looked out the window where she could see Nick shouting and laughing with his younger siblings.  He was acting like a kid.  Grace wondered if he had been allowed to act like a kid when he was a kid.  She turned back to Jane.

"I think I might be.  He's a very special man."

It was Jane's turn to look out the window.  She had never thought of Nick in those terms before, as a man.  He was always Nicky, her baby, her little one.  Tears sprang to her eyes.  She rubbed them away with her fists.

Grace continued to chop vegetables and pretended that she hadn't noticed Jane's reaction.  After a couple of minutes, Jane muttered, almost to herself,  "It's hard to let go.  You just want the best for them."

"You sound like my mom," Grace murmured to the broccoli. 

"Don't hurt my baby," said Jane to the burgers stacked on the platter on front of her.

"Not ever.  Not once," said Grace to the carrots.

Everyone gathered on the patio for dinner.  The burgers were cooked, the plates set out.  Bob Carter took a last round of drink orders before dinner.  Nick accepted a beer and Grace opted for lemonade.

"Don't you ever drink?" asked Leslie.  She was at the age where this was an issue with her and her friends.

"Not really," said Grace.  "I prefer the softer stuff." 

Only Nick noticed the slight twitch that accompanied her answer.  He came back to it later when he was driving her home.

"Tell me why you don't drink alcohol.  Is it because of that night?"

"Yeah, I guess so.  Matt said that if I hadn't been drinking..."

"But you didn't know you were drinking! You thought you were just having punch."

"I know, but Matt said that I really should have known and the bottom line was, if I hadn't been drinking, it wouldn't have happened."

Nick wanted to kill Matt.  He wanted to find him and he wanted to hurt him and he wanted him to die.  He pulled the car over to the side of the road.  He got out of the car and went around to Grace's side.  He opened the door and helped her out.  He was on a public street and he didn't give a crap who saw him.  He leaned her against the car and he whispered to her, "You were the victim, Grace. You did not cause what happened to you.  Bad things happened to you, but it wasn't your fault.  Do you understand that?"

Grace nodded.  She looked up at him and almost said it out loud.  I love you.  The realization of the emotion and the fact that she had almost said it to him made a strange look pass over her face.

Nick took her face in his hands.  "Grace. Sweet, sweet Grace."  And he kissed her, achingly gently.  It was the first time they had kissed since her revelations of the night before.  And it touched her deep in her soul.

"Nick," she whispered.  She could only say his name.  He kissed her again and they melted into each other. 

The honking of a car horn brought them back to the present.  It wasn't a fan, just a passing motorist saluting their passion for each other, or maybe telling them to 'take it elsewhere'. 

Nick dropped her off but said goodbye at the elevator.  It had been a busy and confusing couple of days and they both needed to think about things.  Nick told her that he had his fingers crossed for her visit to the doctor the next day and to call him as soon as she heard.  Nick kissed her goodbye so sweetly that they both thought about changing their minds.  The opening of the elevator doors made up their minds for them.  With a sigh, Nick stepped away and Grace got on the elevator.

Her head was swimming.  Yesterday morning she was so unsure about how she felt about Nick and now, 36 hours later, she was so sure she was in love with him that she had nearly told him so.  She got off the elevator at her floor.  She shook her head.  What was happening to her?  Was it because he had been so kind and accepting of her past?  She walked up the hall and put the key in the lock. Was she doing with Nick what she had done with Matt - been so grateful for understanding that she would hand over her heart?  She closed and locked the door behind her and flipped on the light.  Or had she really, truly found what love was?  Could she finally be that lucky?  She tossed her house keys on the kitchen counter.

Grace recoiled in horror, throwing her hands over her mouth to stifle the scream that was coming.  The two vases of flowers were still on the counter.  Lovely fresh blooms peeked out among the greenery.  And in a neat little pile between the two vases was a pile of dead blooms, carefully culled out.  Grace spun around, first one way, then the other.  Someone had been in here, she knew it.  She backed up against the front door and sank to the floor.  She listened carefully for a long time, trying to hear if anyone was still there.  Eventually, she convinced herself that she was alone.  She went around and turned on all the lights.  She moved around the room searching out other changes, but could see none.

Grace went into her bedroom and checked the closets and under the bed.  She felt foolish, but she was frightened.  She sat on her bed and hugged her pillow and tried to think rationally.  Who had keys to her apartment?  Her mother in Ohio.  She didn't think that was a likely prospect.  Matt.  He had given her back his keys, but that didn't mean he hadn't made another set.  The building superintendent, of course.   Had she ever lost her keys?  No, never.  She left them in Antonio's one night, but they had used Matt's set to get in and Petey had returned her set the next day.

Should she call the police?  And tell them what, that someone broke into her apartment to rearrange flowers!?  And no, officer, the thousands of dollars of computer equipment don’t appear to have been touched.  And the last person known to be in here…oh, that would be Nick Carter.  But I’m sure that won’t leak out.

Grace didn't fall asleep for a long time and she slept fitfully.  But by the time morning came, she had convinced herself that she had been imagining things.  After she and Nick had had the conversation about the flowers, she had gone into the bathroom before they left.  Maybe he had done it for her.  She didn't recall noticing the flowers on the way out.  She would have to think of a way to ask him without it seeming like a stupid question.  Or that she was crazy.

Because Nick was halfway there.  Halfway to seeing how crazy she really was. 
Chapter 24 by old_archive
Monday

"Style and Grace.  Good afternoon."

"Is it?" asked Nick.  "Is it a good afternoon?"

Her deep sigh told him it wasn't.

"What did the doctor say?" he asked. 

"He said it was doing as well as could be expected.  These things take time.  There's no point in rushing it.  I think there were about fifteen more clichés packed in there, but those are the highlights.  It's going to be at least another week."  Grace's disappointment was obvious from her bitter tone. 

Nick felt bad.  He was anxious for her to have the cast off because he wanted to make love to her.  She just wanted her life back.  He felt guilty and selfish.

"Poor you.  Well, we'll just have to make the best of it."  He tried to sound upbeat.

"Said the man with two good feet."  Gracetried to keep her voice even.

"Well, I've got more bad news for you," said Nick, trying to change the subject.

"What is it?" she asked, telling herself to 'snap out it, girl.  The man you love is trying to cheer you up.'

"We're going dancing tonight.  With Howie and AJ."

"Come on, Nick.  You're kidding, right?" 

"Nope.  They cornered me today and said that they spent a whole week in New York listening to me yap on and on about you and they wanted to meet you.  We're going to a club.  So put on your dancing, uh...shoe...uh..."  You stupid twit, he thought.

But Grace laughed.  "Yes, my left shoes all love me, but my right shoes won't talk to me." 

Nick threw his head back and laughed.  It was going to be all right.  She had her sense of humor back.  "I'll pick you up at 8:00.  We'll have dinner and then meet them later.  Okay?"

Grace agreed, thinking she'd try and fit a nap into her afternoon. 

"And one more thing, Grace.  If you're trying to make a good first impression on the guys, maybe you don't want to mention that you have conversations with your shoes."

"Why not?" she asked, "I'll bet AJ does it all the time."

Nick laughed.  "You're probably right.  See you later."

******************************

Grace disconnected the phone and turned back to her computer.  She hadn't got much accomplished today, she could see.  She had visited the doctor this morning and had been so depressed at the news that she was going to have the cast for another week at least that she had mooned around the apartment feeling sorry for herself.  The whole day seemed to have disappeared.  Now she was going to waste the rest of it on a nap so that she could be wide awake to watch other people dance. Snap out if, she told herself.  Look on the bright side.  Nobody will know you're a lousy dancer.

The phone rang. 

"Style and Grace.  Good afternoon."

"Hey, Baby."  It was Matt. 

"Matt.  Hello," she said flatly after a couple of seconds.  She looked out the window to see if he was watching her from the street.  She didn't see anyone. 

"I just called to see if you got your cast off."

"How did you know I was going to the doctor today?" Grace's voice rose and the sentence ended on a hysterical note.

"Calm down, Grace.  What's the matter?"

"How did you know?" she breathed.

"Well, it's been three weeks and you said when it happened that you thought it would be that long, so I just wanted to know, to see if you're okay."  Matt's voice was perfectly calm and sounded honestly concerned.  He didn't tell her that he knew because her mother had told him.  He didn't want her to be upset with her mother.

"Oh.  I see.  Well, no, it's going to be another week at least."

"Poor you," he echoed Nick's words.  "You must be getting sick of it.  I know how much you like to walk."

"Yes, well. Thank you for your concern"

"Listen, Grace, I want to say something."

"No, Matt, don't..."

"No, listen to me.  I'm sorry.  I know I haven't taken things well and I'm sorry.  I should have been more gracious, but it was so hard.  I'm sorry about the night outside your building with..." Matt couldn't bring himself to say the name. "...your friend."

"Matt, don't..."

"No, Grace, let me finish.  It's going to be okay.  I'm going to be okay.  I've accepted that it's over.  I'm moving on with my life.  And I hope that after some time goes by, you'll remember that you are my friend.  That's all I want - for us to be friends again."

"I would like that too some day, Matt."  Grace was pleased to hear him talk this way.  "And Matt, I didn't throw the ring in the ocean.  I mailed it back to you."

"I know.  I got it.  But I want you to have it.  No, no..." he cut across her protests.  "Just as friends.  Maybe later when we are friends again."

Grace wanted to get off the phone, so she gave in.  "That would be nice, Matt.  Maybe later."

She disconnected and went to lay down for an hour.

Matt disconnected and stared at the ring he had been twisting on the end of his baby finger.  He opened his desk drawer and dropped it in.  He buzzed for Janice.  When she appeared in the doorway, he told her to come in and close the door.  He motioned with his head for her to come around the desk.  He swiveled his chair around and spread his legs.  With a sigh, Janice dropped to her knees and reached for his belt.

******************************

Going out with AJ and Howie was fun and Grace was glad that she went.  AJ was with Sarah, of course, and Howie was with a girl named Janine, an incredibly beautiful girl of Latino heritage with maybe some Oriental mixed in.  She was shy and didn't say much, not that there were many gaps left in the conversation by Sarah.  Grace found AJ's fiancee quite overwhelming.  She wasn't wearing much in the way of clothes and she couldn't keep her hands off AJ.  She was loud and brassy.  Grace couldn't imagine her getting along with Leighanne and Kristin. 

Howie and Janine made a beautiful couple.  They danced well together.  Whenever they went out on the floor, other couples moved away to make room for them.  At the end of each song, some of the applause was for the music and some was for them.  Howie was oblivious to that, of course.  When AJ and Sarah danced, it made Grace want to look around for a fire hose.  It was like vertical sex.  Couples moved away from them too, but for entirely different reasons.

"Want to dance?" Nick whispered in her ear.

"What if I do?" she shrugged.

"No problem," he said.  "I already worked this out.  Come on."  He helped her to her feet and handed her the crutches.  He led the way to the dance floor.  She followed behind, feeling eyes upon her.  When they got on the floor, Nick turned to her.  "May I have this dance, please?" 

"And may I have those, please?" said AJ's voice from beside her.  He took her crutches and Nick slipped his arms around her.  They stood together, swaying to the music.  She closed her eyes and breathed him in.  He held her close and kissed her hair.  Slowly, the whole world faded away and there was just the two of them. 

When the music ended, he didn't let go of her, just kept slowly swaying.  An up-tempo number came on and Grace could feel couples dancing around her, but she never opened her eyes.  This moment could last her whole lifetime, she knew, and she would be happy.  She leaned into Nick and could feel the bulge in his groin.  She shifted her body as best as she could on one foot and felt him moan.  He lowered his mouth to hers and kissed her sweetly.  When he took his mouth away, she reached up to whisper in his ear, "What would Kevin say?"

"Screw Kevin," he replied and lowered his mouth again. 

When the music stopped this time, Grace heard a loud 'ahem' from beside her.  She opened her eyes to see AJ looking at them over the top of his glasses.  He was grinning from ear to ear.  "Just say the word and I'll take them away again," he said, lifting the crutches. 

They stopped swaying.  Grace reached for the crutches.  She made her way back to the table with Nick behind her.  He kept one hand on her waist the whole way.  When they were seated again, she laid her hand on Nick's arm.

"Thank you," she whispered.  He placed his hand over hers.  They looked into each other's eyes for a long time.  AJ and Howie exchanged looks.  This was the real thing, they could tell.

******************************

Tuesday

The next morning, Grace opened her email.  She knew something was up the minute she saw the number of incoming messages.  There was one from TFN with the subject line 'Heads Up!'  She opened it up and looked in dismay at the message.  "Brace yourself, Gracie-Facie, somebody out there doesn't like you."  He included a link to a message board.  When she clicked it open, she ran down the list of topics.  She selected The Boys Go Dancing and clicked it open.  Someone had obviously been at the club because they described the evening perfectly, down to what people were wearing and who they danced with.  Particular attention was paid to the fact that she and Nick had remained locked in an embrace while everyone else danced around them.  And there was a picture.  It was taken from the side and it showed them exiting the dance floor.  Nick's hand was on her waist and the state of his arousal was evident for all to see.  Omigod, thought Grace.  Please don't let my mother find out about this.  Or Kevin!

Grace moved on to the emails and sure enough, there was lots of comment.  She was surprised by the number of emails she got from people who thought they knew her because they had emailed her.  She had never responded to any of them, but she was getting stuff from people who seemed to consider themselves old friends.  'Hi again, Grace.  I hope you're having a nice day.  I saw the picture of you and Nick.  Hope you had a good time.'  Of course, there were many that weren't so nice.  But only one said, 'you slut, you fucking slut, I'm going to kill you for this.'  And included a copy of the picture in the email.

Grace stared at the email for a long time.  She didn't recognize the address.  That didn't mean anything, of course.  She had had hundreds of messages in the last couple of weeks and barely glanced at the addresses.  But this one she would remember, she thought, as she moved it into the file with the other vaguely threatening ones - 2969426@freenet.com.  There was nothing vague about this threat.

Grace wondered if she should mention it to Nick.  She hadn't mentioned any of the others.  She remembered the first time they had talked about the fans, how Nick had shrugged and said they didn't pay attention to any of it.  No, she wouldn't tell him, she didn't want him to think she was paranoid.  Was she being paranoid? she wondered.  What was that old joke?  Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
Chapter 25 by old_archive
Sex.

That's all Nick could think about these days.  He wanted to have sex with Grace.  He really, really wanted to have sex with Grace.  And he had hoped that he would last night.  But apparently, it was going to be another week at least.

AJ had laughed at him when Nick said they couldn't have sex until the cast came off.  AJ said it was her ankle that was broken, not her...well, he hadn't elaborated on that.  The look on Nick's face had warned him that vulgarity wouldn't be appreciated.  But AJ hadn't seen her when it first happened, so fragile and so hurt.  Nick knew that no matter what anyone said, he couldn't make love to her until the cast was off.  But man, the day that happened...

And Grace felt the same way.  At least, Nick thought she did.  Whenever they messed around, got each other totally hot and bothered, and then pulled back, Nick would mention the cast and Grace would say she was counting the days too.  Like last night, after the club…  Nick could feel himself hardening at the thought of it.  Necking and petting on her couch like a couple of high school kids afraid their parents would walk in.  His hand wandered down below the sheet.  He stroked himself idly.

Nick wondered if it was as hard for women as it was for men.  He was the first to admit that he didn't know squat about women.  But he wondered what they did after a session like that.  He had come right home and 'dealt himself a hand', as Brian used to say back in the pre-Leighanne days.  Nick wondered if Grace had too.  The image that conjured up for him made him stiffen rapidly.  He closed his eyes and pictured Grace's hands wandering over her body.  He remembered their phone call from New York.  His hand movements became more frenzied.  He came with a grunt and a moan and a sighing of her name.  He leaned his head back on the pillow and became still.

After a few minutes, he looked at the clock.  He had lots of time before the meeting with the guys.  He grabbed his boxers from the floor beside the bed and cleaned himself up.  He threw them in the pile of laundry and headed for the shower.   He wondered for a fleeting moment how closely Carmela looked at his laundry before she did it.  God only knows what she must think these days!


******************************


"Hey there, Nick, how's it hangin'?" AJ greeted him with a laugh.  The others cracked up.

"Is it hangin' or is it salutin'?" asked Kevin in his slow southern drawl.  Brian just about spit coffee on himself at that remark.

"What's up?" asked Nick.  The other four couldn't contain themselves at that.  They laughed so hard tears ran down their face.  Howie picked up a photo from the table and handed it over.  Nick looked down and his face fell.  "Oh, shit."

It was the same photo that Grace had seen.  With Nick's hand on her waist and his interest obvious, it looked like he was trying to walk and have sex at the same time.

"Hey Dawg, it'll be okay."  Kevin had certainly been there and done that.  They all had.  When they performed, they were all in a state of semi-erection, brought on by the thrill of what they were doing and they were photographed from every angle all the time.  Kevin had a tendency to wear pants a little tighter than the others and there were way too many photos out there of him 'saluting the flag' for him to explain them all away as 'it's the pants'.

"Yeah, so they'll make a few comments about your 'package'," said Howie and they cracked up again.  That was the favorite phrase on the fan sites where you were supposed to be polite but wanted to point out how well-hung you thought one of them was.  "Who will that bother?"

"Oh, I don't know," said Nick.  "Maybe Grace's mother?"

That sobered them.  They kept forgetting that the girls they had carried on with all had mothers.  Well, of course, they forgot it, thought AJ.  How could you nail some girl if you were thinking about her mother?

"Her mother will never see it.  Don't worry."  Kevin tried to reassure him.  He thought to himself that if Nick was worried about Grace's mother, he must be really serious about her.  Out of habit, Kevin tried to think of a reason why Nick shouldn't be, but he couldn't.  Before Nick's arrival, Howie and AJ had been talking about the club.  Other times, they would have been describing Nick's wild behavior, coming on to girls and whooping it up.  All they talked about this time was the amount of time Nick and Grace spent gazing into each other's eyes.

"Let's get to work," said Kevin.

They got down to business and mapped out the rest of the week, who was going to be where and doing what.  There was a lot of stuff happening with their outside interests.  They weren't going to be together even once.

Nick mentioned that it was Grace's birthday on Sunday. 

"Party!" said AJ, who still looked for any excuse to 'get down' even though he stayed sober.  They looked down at the calendar.  Nope, that wasn't going to happen. 

"Look," said Howie, "we all have different stuff on Saturday night, but it's all here in town.  Why don't you all come to my place for an early drink and we can all kiss the birthday girl then?"

They looked at the calendar again.  That seemed workable.  They made a note to check with their women. 

******************************

Thursday

Nick and Grace had fallen into a routine.  He would call her during the day and they would chat for a few minutes.  Evenings they would do something together - go out somewhere or just stay at home and play video games (his place) or watch movies (hers).  It was hard for Nick to remember that she had a job.  He would call and say, let's go out on the boat, and be surprised when she would say she couldn't, she had a deadline.  Or when he would call, sometimes she would be distracted and he knew she was looking at the computer.  He would say, Hit Save and turn your back to the computer.  She would do that and he would get off the line as quickly as he could, so she could go back to what she was doing. 

Nick had nothing to do today and he knew Grace was working.  He called her up and asked her if he could take her to lunch.  He knew she was reluctant but he insisted, saying she had to at least have lunch.  She agreed and told him to come by around noon.  He paced the floor and played video games for awhile and then thought, to hell with it.

He jumped in his car and headed for Grace's. He went into the bakery by her building and then into the deli next door.  He went into Grace's building and stopped at the front desk. 

"Hey, Jermaine.  How's the baby?" 

"Fine, Mr. Carter, just fine.  Growing like a weed."

"Grace is expecting me, but I'm a bit early.  Can you tell her that there's a deliveryman on his way up?"

"Sure thing."  Jermaine was willing to do anything to further this romance.  He had never seen Grace so happy.  Certainly not with that other guy, who treated her like his property.

When Nick arrived at the door, he knocked and held the grocery bags up in front of his face.  When Grace opened the door and said, “Yes?” in a questioning tone, he lowered them and said, “Lunch has arrived.”  He grinned at her and she smiled but she didn’t look all that happy to see him.

Grace looked at her watch.  It was only 10:30.  She had been hoping to get another hour’s worth of work in.

“Hey,” he said, stepping over to the counter and setting down the groceries.  “I know I’m early, but this way, you don’t have to go out.  You can keep working and when you’re hungry, just let me know and I’ll make you lunch.  This actually gives you more time to work.”

“And what are you going to do while I’m working?” asked Grace.  She didn’t see how she could possibly concentrate while he was in the room.

“I’m going to watch you work.  I want to see what you do.  I’ll be absolutely quiet, I promise.  And I won’t move.”  Nick made a motion of locking his lips and throwing the key over his shoulder.

“Absolutely still and quiet?” said Grace doubtfully.  Nick pressed his lips together as if they were stapled and nodded his head, wide-eyed.  Grace laughed and shook her head.  “Okay, but I’m warning you…”

Nick’s head bobbed up and down.  Grace limped back to the computer.  Nick sat on the sofa near the window.  From here he could watch the monitor or look at the ocean or the street.

“This is what I’m doing,” said Grace.  She explained the website she was designing.  It was for a company that wanted to sell organic products over the Internet.  She outlined the basic concept that she had in mind.  She showed him hard copies of some of the pages she had done.  She explained that she was adding in the product line now and linking it to the other pages. 

Nick nodded.  She had pretty much lost him after the basic concept.  He watched her work, fighting a desire to go over and nuzzle her neck.  He looked out the window for awhile at the ocean, thinking happily of the next time he could go to The Cove.  His Cove.  He had put in an offer to buy the land with the fruit stand and it had been accepted.  He looked back at Grace.  It didn’t matter where this relationship went or how long it lasted, he would always remember her, because she had given him The Cove.  The desire to kiss her grew.

Nick looked down at the street.  He leaned forward in his chair.  Was that a shadow by that tree or was that someone standing there?  He leaned further forward and the shadow moved away.  Yes, someone had been standing there.  Nick wondered why.  You couldn’t see the ocean from that side of the street.  All you could see was Grace’s building.

He leaned back in his chair and looked at Grace.  He hummed a little tune under his breath and beat time with his fingers on his leg.  A slight stiffening of her back made him realize what he was doing.  "Sorry," he whispered and became still.  He looked at his watch.  Ten minutes.  He had sat still for ten minutes.  That was a first, he figured.

Nick could only take it for two more minutes.  Then he stood and, as quietly as he could, he moved to the other side of the room.  He perused her bookshelves, marveling at the different tastes she had in books.  He looked carefully at her record collection.  Again, very eclectic tastes.  He grinned when he realized they were all stored in alphabetical order.  No problem, he thought.  That puts Backstreet right up there near the top, right after...he ran his fingers along...Bryan Adams and Bach. Good company, he thought.  He didn't realize he was whistling until he heard her say, "Ahem."

He turned to look at her.  "Sorry again," he whispered. 

Grace crooked a finger at him.  "Come here."

Oh shit.  He was in for it now.  He walked over to her sheepishly, his head hung down.  "Yes, Miss Grace?"

She grabbed him by his belt buckle and pulled him to his knees.  "I have a problem with your shirt," she said.

Nick looked down.  It was clean and it was one he thought she liked.  "What's the problem?" he asked.

"You're still wearing it," she answered.  Grace leaned back in her chair and crossed her arms.  "Take it off."

Nick looked at her in surprise.  Then a lazy, sexy smile drifted across his face.  "It will be my pleasure," he said.

"Yes," replied Grace.  "Yes, it will."

Nick didn’t bother to unbutton his shirt, just pulled it over his head.  Grace sat forward in her chair and ran her tongue over her lips.  “Come here,” she whispered. 

Nick moved forward on his knees until he was between her legs.  She lowered her head and kissed his neck.  He leaned his head back and moaned.  “Here we go again,” he thought. 

Grace took his hands and placed them on her hips.  “Help me,” she whispered and then leaned forward.  He got the hint and lay down on the floor pulling her carefully down on top of him.  She ground her pelvis against him and covered his chest with kisses.  She licked and sucked his tattoos and her fingers stroked his stomach and his nipples.

Whenever he tried to reach for her, she slapped his hands away.  “Uh, uh,” she murmured in between licks, “Absolutely still and quiet, remember?”

Nick groaned and gave in.  He let her tweak his nerve endings until he was sure he could hear them humming.  When she slid down his body and begin licking his stomach, he could take no more.  "Grace," he panted.  He put his arms around her and rolled her off him.  He leaned over her and kissed her so thoroughly, she thought she would faint.  His hands caressed her breasts and then his fingers moved to the waistband of her shorts.  He fumbled with the button while she reached between them and massaged the bulge in his pants.  He groaned again and moved away from her.  She sat against the pillar and he sat against the wall and they stared at each other, their chests heaving and their eyes smoldering.

"Would you mind terribly if I tore that thing off with my teeth?" he panted, pointing at her cast.

Grace smiled.  "And ruin that beautiful smile?  No way."

Nick shifted his weight and their eyes were drawn to his crotch.  Very impressive, she thought. 

"Now a picture of that would really cause a stir on the Internet, wouldn't it?" she said.

"You saw that picture?" he asked.

"Oh, yes," she said.  "Quite a number of people felt compelled to share that with me."    She crawled across the floor and nestled in his arms.  "But I'm not sharing you with them."  She leaned her head back so that he could kiss her.  And he did.

After a few moments, she said, "I didn't get much work done, did I?"

Nick stood up and helped her to her feet.  "Now, that's just not true.  You got a solid ten, maybe fifteen minutes in there."

"And I'll get fifteen more while you make me lunch."

"Now there you go.  That's a half hour."

"And after lunch, you will go and I will get the rest of my workday in.  Okay?"

"Okay."  He kissed her again, and helped her back to her chair.  "What's this?"  He picked up a paper she had been doodling on.  It was the number from the address of the threatening email.  She had written it down and shaded it in and framed it in ink.

"Oh, just a doodle," she said.

"Why are you doodling your phone number?" he asked, heading into the kitchen.

Grace's heart stopped.  "What did you say?" she asked.

“Your phone number.  That’s your phone number backwards.”  Nick lifted groceries from the bag and set them on the counter.

Grace turned back to the computer.  She didn't want him to see the look on her face.  She was sure he would be able to read the fear written there.

Nick worked away in the kitchen getting lunch.  Grace sat and stared at her computer.  Nick wondered how much work she was getting done.  Her hands didn't seem to be moving at all.  Oh, well, he shrugged, maybe she was planning something in her head.
Chapter 26 by old_archive
Sunday

"Style and Grace.  Good morning!"

"Happy birthday to you..."  Two middle-aged off-key voices creaked over from Ohio.  "Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday dear Grace (my Baby Bird), Happy birthday to youuuuuuuuuuu."

"Hi Mom, Hi Dad.  Thank you.  That was great."

“How are you doing, Sweetie?”

“I’m good, Mom.  How are you guys doing?”

Grace chatted with her parents.  She knew it was a special call because her dad got to talk too.  Usually, if her dad was the one who called, it was at her mother’s urging.  He would pass the time of day with his Baby Bird for about a minute and then say, “Your mother wants to say ‘hi’.”  That would be the last of Daddy for that call.  But on birthdays and high holidays, Daddy got to talk on the extension.  That meant that the conversation was sprinkled with “Oh, don’t be silly, Tom” and “Now that’s not the way it happened at all”.  Sometimes Grace got the feeling they were talking to each other and had forgotten she was even there.

“So how does it feel to be a quarter-century?” asked her dad.

“Tom, don’t say that!  You’ll make her feel old,” scolded her mom.

“It’s okay, Mom,” answered Grace.  “I guess I feel one day older than yesterday.  It’s not that different.”

"And how is your young man?" Her mother was relentless.  Grace did not miss the juxtaposition of herself being described as old and Nick being described as young.

"He's fine, Mom.  He's more than fine.  He's outstanding."  Take that and deal with it, thought Grace. 

"I saw a picture of him the other day..." 

Grace's heart stopped.  Oh, please let it not be THE picture. 

"...in a magazine.  He's very handsome." 

Grace exhaled.

"I bought your mom one of their records," said her father.  Grace smiled.  They would never be CDs to her dad.  They would always be records.  He had a huge vinyl collection.  He was the one with the ear for music.  "It's very good.  Millennium.  I think I'll buy another one.  Do you have any recommendation?"

"Get Black & Blue, Daddy.  It's really good."

"Humph," grunted her mother.  "Black and blue.  What kind of name is that for a record?  It sounds like a bruise."

Even though they were half a continent apart, Grace and her father exchanged knowing glances.

"Did you hear from Julie?" asked her Mom.

"Yes, I got an email and a card.  She's off to the outback again.  She sent the card quite a while ago with a note saying that she didn't know where she would be today.  But I just got the email yesterday, so she must have satellite hookup of some kind."

Grace watched the second hand on the clock approach the five minute mark and mouthed the words along with her mother.  "Well, this is costing money.  We just wanted to say have a good day and your present is in the mail.  I'm guessing you didn't get it yet, since you haven't said anything."

Grace smiled.  She knew that her mother would have sent the gift yesterday.  She knew it would be a card and a cheque.  On the card would be the admonishment to 'get something nice for yourself' as if her first inclination would be to buy something ugly.

"I'll let you know when I get it.  Love you both."

"Love you too, sweetie."  "Bye, Baby Bird." 

Grace disconnected and smiled to herself.  She knew what was going on in Ohio right now.  Her mother would chew out her father for every word he uttered and then she would dissect Grace's words with all the skill of a CIA code breaker.  It gave Grace a little thrill of pleasure to know that the word 'outstanding' would be picked over and analyzed in a hundred different ways.

She looked around her apartment and took stock of her life.

A quarter century.  Yeah, Daddy, when you say it that way, it does sound old.  She looked down at her cast ruefully.  And the old body wasn't holding up as well as it might either.  She shook her head and thought about life.  She was living in a dream apartment, doing a job she loved and was building a relationship with a man who made her heart soar.  And Matt seemed to have finally accepted that her life with him was over.  Maybe they could be friends again somewhere down the road.

Grace looked at the big room.  Two vases of flowers told her everything she needed to know.  Matt had sent twenty-five blood-red roses, all standing straight and tall, perfectly arranged.  They were beautiful, but she preferred the bouquet she had received from Nick, a riot of color, shape and style, almost as if he had told the florist, send one of everything you’ve got.  Even the cards…a stiff, Happy Birthday, Love Matt came with the roses and ‘…diamonds, pearls and party dresses to follow’, Love Nick with a smiley face accompanied the other bouquet.

On the counter sat her other Backstreet gifts, received at Howie's the day before.  They had all been going to different evening events, but had met at Howie's for cocktails first.  It turned out to be a mini-celebration of Grace's birthday and she was very touched by it.  She had been toasted with champagne.  AJ had ginger ale and she had one tiny sip of the bubbly before setting it aside. 

Brian and Leighanne had given her a beautiful hand-made sweater.  The color and style matched her perfectly.  That Leighanne was some shopper!  Howie and Janine gave her a gorgeous hammered silver and turquoise bracelet with a southwestern style to it.  Nick had obviously mentioned her love of books.  Kevin and Kristen had given her a first-edition signed copy of Rachel Carson's The Silent Spring.  And from AJ and Sarah, she got a vegetarian cookbook and a chef's apron with a picture of a computer and the words 'Byte me!' 

Nick's gift had been last, a heavy box, which she unwrapped to reveal the nine-video set of Ken Burns' documentary on the history of baseball.  "You remembered," she whispered and as she ran her hands over the package, Nick explained to the others that this was one of those things she had always wanted but considered too expensive and frivolous.  When she had that much money in her hand, there was always something more useful to do with it.  The others nodded.  They hadn't always been rich.  Nick couldn't believe that anyone would want 20 hours of history, even of sports, but Grace was caressing the box like it held the Crown Jewels.

She was touched by the gifts, by the thought that had been put into them.  It showed their love for Nick as much as anything else.  As much as he didn't like to admit it, he needed their approval, especially Kevin's.  And Kevin had given his blessing to them last night.  The beautiful gift was not one that would have been bestowed on someone he considered to be merely passing through.  When he had said his goodbyes, he had kissed Grace and wished her a happy birthday and then punched Nick on the shoulder and said, "Fine. You can keep her."  High praise indeed, thought Grace.

She wasn't sure if she was looking forward to the next part of her day.  Sunday at the Carter's.  Nick had hinted that his mom was going to make up for her earlier treatment of Grace by doing a big birthday thing.  Grace was to pretend to be surprised.  Nick had been sworn to secrecy, but he had told her laughingly that if someone was going to be pissed at him, he would rather it be his mom than his girl. Grace smiled at the recollection of the feeling that swept through her when he said those words - his girl.

Grace turned to her computer.  She had a couple of little things she wanted to finish.  She looked out the window.  A flash of movement caught her eye.  Down by the bakery, someone had been leaning on a lamppost and had turned away when she looked.  Were they looking up here, she wondered?  The stance looked familiar but she couldn't place it.  Oh, stop being paranoid, she thought.  If you want to creep yourself out, all you have to do is open your email.

The email onslaught had continued unabated.  Every time she saw one with the address 2969426@freenet.com, it made her skin crawl.  But she found she had to open them.  She should have just deleted them without looking, but she couldn't do that.  There had been no more overt threats, but she had been called every filthy name under the sun.  Oddly enough, there was no mention of Nick.  No 'stay away from him' or 'leave him alone'.  It was all about her, what a horrible person she was.

Oh no!  There was one there from her...him...she didn't know.  She clicked it open.  Happy birthday, slut.  Think you'll live to see the next one?

Grace couldn't breathe.  Omigod!  How did this person know it was her birthday?  Who was this?  She tried to push down the panic rising in her chest. 

The ringing of the phone frightened her out of her wits.

"Hello," she said in a tiny voice.  Somehow she thought it might be the emailer.

"Hey, there!  Happy birthday!"

"Nick," she whispered.

"What's the matter?  Is everything okay?"

Grace got a grip on herself mentally.  "Yeah, everything is great.  You are great!  Last night was great."

After Howie's they had gone to dinner at Antonio's.  Nick had told them what the occasion was and they had outdone themselves.  All of Grace's favorite dishes.  Antonio had insisted on giving them a bottle of wine on the house.  Grace had one glass, as did Nick.  He wasn't really a wine drinker.  Rather than insult Antonio, they had offered some to the people at the next table who had accepted graciously.  They were an elderly Italian couple and Grace was pretty sure they wouldn't be reading about it the next day on a fan site, but you never knew.  The whole staff had come out with a little cake to sing Happy Birthday.  Petey had stood sheepishly in the background trying to decide whether it would be more 'cool' to sing along or to be above it all.  When he saw that Nick was joining in, he happily lent his voice to the effort.

After dinner, they had walked back to Grace's.  By some tacit agreement, they said goodnight at the elevator.  It had been a beautiful evening and neither wanted to end it by feeling frustrated and horny.  One long, lingering kiss was going to get them both through the night.

"Are you ready for today?" he asked.

Grace groaned.  "How bad is it likely to be?"

"I guess that depends on your definition of bad," he laughed.

"Cake?" she guessed.

"For sure.  With ice cream."

"Balloons?" 

"Maybe.   Probably."

"Party hats?"  She sure hoped not.

"Well, I don't know about that.  I can phone and suggest it."

"Don't you dare!" she laughed.


******************************


It was actually a lovely party.  Grace tried her best to look surprised when they arrived, and she thought most of them bought it, but she knew by the scowl bestowed on Nick by his mother that Jane hadn't been fooled.

There was cake and ice cream...and balloons.  But thank heaven, no party hats were forthcoming.  They had a lovely meal, indoors this time, around the dining room table.  It wasn't a barbecue, but a sit-down roast chicken dinner.  Grace complimented Jane on the meal.

"And you won't be cleaning up this time," grunted Jane in thanks.  "Birthday girls even outrank cooks in that department."

"Speaking of birthday girls," said Bob.  "Don't we have presents?"

"Yeah!" yelled the younger ones and they sprinted from the table, returning with an armload of presents.

"Oh, this is too much," protested Grace.

"Nonsense," said Nick.

Grace proceeded to open the gifts, one from each family member.  They were all lovely and reflected the personality of the giver.  Now I'll be able to tell them all apart, thought Grace. 

When she opened Jane's, she saw a silver baby spoon.  She looked up at her.  Tears shone in Jane's eyes.  "I get that back, if..."  Grace nodded, unable to speak.  The younger kids rolled their eyes.  Jeez, was it going to get mushy in here?

Nick handed over a heavy square package.  "What's this?" asked Grace.  "You already gave me your gift last night?"

"Read the card," he said.

Grace opened it.  “The book is always better,” it read.  She tore off the paper to discover the companion book to the video series Nick had given her the night before.

"First time in his life Nick ever bought a book," muttered Leslie under her breath.

"Thank you," Grace whispered, resisting the temptation to open it and start reading.

"There's one more," said Bob. 

"This is the dumbest gift," said Angel.  She was immediately shushed by the others.

Bob stood up and carried over a long thin box with a big red bow on it.   Grace slid the ribbon off and took off the lid.  She folded back the tissue paper and inhaled sharply.  It was a baseball bat - a Louisville Slugger with the Cincinnati Reds logo on it.  And it wasn't new.  This bat had been used to hit a baseball.  Grace ran her fingers along it.  She looked up at Bob.  "It's amazing," she said. 

"Turn it over," he said, his eyes moist.  Grace rotated the bat and gasped in surprise and joy when she saw the signature inked on the bat in black marker - Pete Rose.

"It's not even new," said Angel. 

"You are the most wonderful people," Grace began.  She looked Jane in the eye, "All of you.  I can't thank you enough for this."

"Oh, hush now," said Jane, clearing her throat.  "Okay, kids, clear the table.  I'm sure Nick and Grace have better things to do than hang around here."

Grace and Nick looked at each other and shook their heads.  "Nope, can't think of any."

"I wouldn't mind a look at the book before you go," Bob said to Grace.

Nick helped Grace to a comfortable chair in the living room and she watched as the Carter family bustled around her, nagging, playing, swatting each other.  Nick sat on the floor at her feet and leaned his head against her good leg.  Grace couldn't remember ever being happier.
Chapter 27 by old_archive
Wednesday

Grace sat on her couch and looked around her apartment.  She hugged a pillow to her chest and tried to concentrate on breathing.  She had three choices she knew - she could accept that she was not as focused as she used to be (perhaps the tall, blond distraction in her life had something to do with that), she could believe that she was losing her mind or she could believe that someone was actually getting into her apartment when she wasn't there.  She also knew that if she could just make it to Friday, she would be fine.

Grace had gone back to the doctor on Monday.  He was more hopeful this time and said that the x-ray showed the ankle was healing nicely.  She could get the cast off on Friday.  He described a regimen of exercises and physiotherapy that would follow the removal, but she didn't hear any of it. She was getting the cast off on Friday.  That's all she needed to know.

The cast had become the symbol of everything in her life that was wrong - the heavy weight that was dragging her mind down.  It was as if she had two different lives.  Before the cast and after.  It should have been a good symbol, because it had brought her Nick, but it wasn't.

Grace was starting to lose it, she knew.  The threatening emails were scaring her and she felt vulnerable.  She was becoming paranoid, going to her window every five minutes to see if anyone was watching her.  She couldn't shake the feeling that someone came into her apartment when she wasn't there.  She had asked Gary and Jermaine, but they both said she had had no visitors and even if she had, they certainly wouldn't let anyone up.  Neither of them had seen Matt around.  Gary said that he would keep a special eye out.

If she could only have the cast off, she would feel like she could fight back.  Exactly what it was she was fighting back against, she wasn't sure.  Grace had made up her mind that if she got one more email from...she couldn't picture in her mind whether it was a woman or a man...she had assumed woman because she had figured it for a fan of Nick's, but now she didn't know.  Whoever it was never mentioned Nick, and it just seemed somehow more like a man.  But she was determined that if she got one more email, she was going to tell Nick and then maybe call the police.

Grace had contacted a couple of her Internet friends and asked them what they thought.  She had laid it out as a hypothetical question, but she didn't fool anyone.  TFN was particularly concerned and asked if she was saving the emails.  Yes, she had them all in a folder labeled SFC.  And that stood for? he asked.  Stupid freaking creeps, she said.  Only the word isn't freaking. 

"Glad you're keeping your sense of humor, Gracie-Facie," he had written back, "But this is no laughing matter."  And he had told her that there was very little she could do.  But under no circumstances should she reply.  No way, she had said, she wasn't going to do that.  And if you get any more, he said, call the police.  He understood the situation, with the notoriety and all, but maybe that would help.  The police wouldn't just ignore her.  Great, she thought, the tabloids would have a field day.  Nick Carter's girlfriend stalked by fan over email.  It would be Willa all over again.

When Nick mentioned that the email address was her phone number, Grace nearly freaked out right there.  She stared at the monitor and took deep breaths, waiting for her hands to stop shaking and her heart rate to return to normal.  Her phone number was easy to get.  It was on her business website and her business cards.  And her business website had been posted all over the message boards.  She had actually found that quite amusing at the time.  The posters to the message boards were all amazed.  It was as if they were saying, "Hey look, Nick got himself a girl that can think." 

Grace knew that the prevailing theory was that Nick was not very bright.  It saddened her that he seemed to believe it himself.  He was always putting himself down.  He teased her once about using words he didn’t understand, hinting that he was stupid.  She told him off and told him that not understanding a word she said once was okay, but there was no excuse for not understanding the same word a second time.  He should just ask her what it meant.  Or you could just use smaller words, he said.  No way, she had answered back.  I am who I am.  Deal with me.

Grace was incredibly proud of herself for that statement and pretty surprised too.  It showed her that she was truly moving out from Matt’s shadow.  She had called Matt’s office to thank him for the flowers, but he was out of the office.  Janice took the message in a frosty tone.  Good, thought Grace, maybe the two of them would get together and then she would truly be free of him. 

Think more good thoughts, she told herself.  She looked around the apartment and her eyes settled on the gift from Nick’s father.  She smiled in recollection of the look they had exchanged when she opened it.  The other people at the table didn’t have the first clue what a special gift it was.  But Grace did.  She hadn't decided yet where to display it.  Right now it sat by her desk, so she could look at it while she worked.  Speaking of which, girl, get your butt up off this couch and get at it.

Grace looked up from her reverie and shook her head to clear it.  Friday.  If she could just make it to Friday.  Everything would be fine.  She laughed at herself mockingly.  Friday would bring a whole host of new issues.  Friday was S-Day.  S is for sex, she intoned as if reciting from an alphabet book.  And she was scared to death.  And she couldn't wait.  She wanted to be with Nick so much.  And she knew he wanted to be with her.  And she hoped that everything would work out.  It had to.  It just had to.

******************************

As Grace sat down at her desk, a figure down below slipped back into the shadows and walked away.  Grace had that creepy feeling again and looked out the window, but she could see no one.   

******************************

Two hours later, Grace stood up and stretched.  Wow! she thought.  I did good work there.  She had been able to concentrate and it was just one of those times where everything fell into place.  I’m getting out of here, she said to herself.  I need to clear my head and get some fresh air.  She got her waist pack and headed for the door.  As she was locking it, she wondered if there was any way to leave a sign, like they did in the movies, to show if someone had been in the apartment.  She tried to recall things people did in spy movies.  Put a hair or a piece of tape on the door.  The thought of the effort it would take to hobble back into the apartment, find the tape, rip a piece off, get it back to the door without having it stick to some place else…no, that would be giving in to her paranoia and just be too damned inconvenient to boot.  Grace turned the key in the lock and then headed for the elevator.  A voice in the back of her head said, "So you would just rather think you're crazy?"

Grace turned back to the apartment.  She made her way to the desk, wondering why she hadn't placed the desk right inside the front door.  Today, the ocean view was highly over-rated.  She ripped off a piece of Scotch tape and made it three steps before it attached itself to her skirt.  She peeled it off and saw that it was all linty.  Damn.  She retraced her steps and reached to peel off another piece.  Use your head, stupid, she told herself.  She picked up the tape dispenser and thought about how to get it to the door.  Oh, for goodness sake, she thought.  She pulled out the front of her shirt and shoved the dispenser down her bra.  Now if she could just get it to the door without slicing off part of her boob, she'd be happy.

Eventually she made it to the door, and attached the tape firmly to the bottom.  She wasn't sure if she should put it way down or way up.  Did people tend to look up or down?  She threw the tape dispenser into the room and closed the door.  She locked it and bent down to fasten the tape to the frame.  She lost one of her crutches and it fell to the ground with a clang.  Finally, she got the tape secured, and the crutch picked up and made her way to the elevator.  She was exhausted, she thought.  Paranoia was looking better and better.

Grace nodded to Josh on her way out the door.  She looked left then right.  Bakery or bookstore?  Food for the body or food for the mind?  She turned left.  She had her new baseball book to read.  She had decided to ration herself to one video a day of the series Nick had given her.  Except for two on Sunday because that was the first day she had it and she really wanted to get into it.  And two on Monday to celebrate the news about the cast.  But she had only watched one on Tuesday.  She had been a good girl, she thought, got lots of work done during the day and played with Nick at night. 

They had cut back a bit on the 'messing around', as Nick liked to call it, because it was stretching their nerves so taut, they both thought they might snap.  They hadn't talked it over or anything, but it seemed of mutual consent.  Nick would kiss her goodnight at the elevator and tell her to get a good night's sleep.  They were sweet, delicious kisses and he would whisper 'Friday' in her ear and be gone.

Grace wasn't sure why the cast was such an impediment to him, but she knew that it was.  Nick had assumed from the beginning that as long as the cast was on, there would be no sex.  This wasn't a bad thing, mused Grace, it had given them over a month to get to know each other.  And to fall in love, she thought, for at least one of us.  But it had set a definite deadline.  Friday was it.  The pressure was on.

Grace went into the bakery and bought a Danish.  She went next door to the deli and got a bottle of juice.  She carried them both to the bench by the lamppost and sat down.  She looked up at her building.  She could see her apartment clearly.  At least, she could see the corner where her computer sat.  If she were sitting at it, she could be seen from down here.  She looked around.  The grass behind the bench seemed to be trampled down.  This was the spot where she had thought she had seen someone standing.  She didn't know what she expected to find.  Cigarette butts with DNA slathered all over them.  Pictures of Nick torn to bits.  A signed note from the culprit.

She looked up at her window again and saw a shadow pass through.  Someone was in there.  Grace was sure of it.  She grabbed her crutches and headed back to the front door of the building.  She didn’t go in, but stood at the front door and watched.  No one came out.

“Hey, Ms. Barrett, do you need some help?” 

Grace just about jumped out of her skin.  She turned to see Petey standing on the sidewalk hand-in-hand with a girl.  She was petite and perky and looked up at Petey adoringly.

“Hi, Petey,” said Grace, and waited expectantly for the introductions.

“Um, Ms. Barrett, this is Tammy.  Tammy, this is Ms. Barrett.”

“Grace.  Call me Grace,” she said.  “And you too, Petey.  I think after the 500th pizza, you’re supposed to call the customer by the first name.”

They laughed together.  Petey was thrilled.  Grace was treating him like a grown-up. "Well, see ya," he said and then took a chance.  "Say hi to Nick for me," he said, in as manly a fashion as he could muster.  He gave Grace a look that said he was sorry if he was offending her, but he'd appreciate any help he could get.  Tammy looked up at him.  Petey had obviously told her about Nick, but Grace could see that she hadn't really believed him.

"I'll sure do that," she said, "and you know he wants us all to get together sometime.  Maybe go out on his boat."

Tammy's jaw dropped to the pavement.  Grace thought Petey would faint, but he recovered nicely.  "Yeah, sure," he said, making a little gun out of his fingers and cocking it at her.  "I'll get back to him on that."

They turned to walk away.

"Hey, Petey!"  Grace called him back.  Petey left Tammy standing on the sidewalk and came back to her.

"Thank you so much, Ms. Barrett...I mean...Grace.  That was so cool."

"No problem, Petey.  But I was wondering if you could do something for me..."

Tammy watched them talking.  She guessed that Petey hadn't just been bragging when he said that he knew Nick Carter and his girlfriend.  Grace.  Amazing Grace.  That's what Tammy called her, because Petey talked about her so much.  Amazing Grace, the computer wizard.  Amazing Grace, the big tipper.  Amazing Grace, the Backstreet girlfriend. 

Petey walked back toward her.

"What did she want?"  Tammy asked.

"Nothing," Petey said.  "Just a favor for a friend."  He shrugged it off as if he and Grace were doing favors for each other all the time.

Tammy tucked her hand into his.  "When do you think we'll get to go out on the boat?" she asked.

Petey smiled.  "Well, we'll have to take a look at both our schedules," he said.  "Nick's a pretty busy guy, new album coming out and all."  He sure hoped that was true.  Tammy leaned in close to him and kissed his cheek.  They continued up the street.  Petey looked over his shoulder to where Grace was still standing looking at the doorway of her building.  Amazing Grace, he thought.  She really was.

Grace finally gave up her vigil after talking to Petey.  She went into the building and found that Gary had replaced Josh on the desk.  She was a bit nervous about going up to her apartment by herself, but didn't know how to avoid it.

"Hi, Grace.  How are you today?" asked Gary.  Gary didn't call her Ms. Barrett any more.  After the night he had stopped the fight between Matt and Nick, he figured he had earned the right to use her first name.  And she had never objected.

"Good, good," muttered Grace.

"There's a parcel here for you...from Australia."  He picked it up.  "It doesn't weigh much."

The parcel wasn't very big, but Grace grasped at the lifeline.  "Oh, Gary," she said sweetly, "do you think you could step away from the desk for just a minute and bring it up for me?"  She motioned at her crutches and tried to look helpless.

"Sure thing, Grace.  It won't take long."  He accompanied her to the elevator. 

When they reached the apartment, Grace looked down at the tape.  It hadn't moved.  She unlocked the door and took a deep breath.  They went in.  She looked around but didn't see anyone or anything out of place.

"Are you okay, Grace?" asked Gary.  He could sense her nervousness.  For some reason, her tape dispenser was lying on the floor.  He picked it up and placed it on the kitchen counter.

"Yeah, I'm fine.  Just a little jittery for some reason."  She looked around the room.

Gary pulled himself up to his full 5'11" and went into cop mode.  "Would you like me to check the place out for you?"

"Would you?" she asked, "I feel so stupid for asking."

"Nonsense," he said, gruffly and made a sweep of the apartment.  He seemed almost disappointed that he didn't find anything out of the ordinary.

After Gary left, Grace opened the parcel from her sister.  It was a little stuffed platypus, the ugliest animal on the planet.  Grace laughed at the accompanying note.  Happy Birthday.  This is in case you can't find "anything nice" to spend Mom's money on.  Don't forget to name him.

Grace smiled.  Family joke.  Julie had had hundreds of stuffed animals when she was a kid and she had named them all.  To this day, she could remember every one of them.

Grace set the platypus on the counter.  She tweaked its nose and said, "Welcome.  Your name is Friday."
Chapter 28 by old_archive
Friday

Finally, the big day arrived. The cast was coming off.  The date had been circled on more than one calendar.  Nick wanted to take her to the hospital and be there for the unveiling of the leg, but Grace refused.  She knew her leg would be all scaly and hairy and she sure wasn't letting him look at it that way.

Nick acquiesced reluctantly and said he was planning on seeing it later then.  He wanted to give his own opinion by the laying on of hands and possibly lips.  Grace gulped and said it sounded like unorthodox medical treatment to her.  Nick told her he’d pick her up at 8:00.

Grace took a cab to the hospital.  Nurse Pinero was on duty and greeted her warmly.  She directed her to the outpatient department where Grace would have the cast removed. 

As Grace was moving away, Agnes said, "So, Ms. Barrett, how are you and young Mr. Nick getting on?"  She had been having her son follow the progress of their relationship on the Internet.  Her son thought she was crazy, but Agnes had been there at the beginning of their relationship and she felt a maternal interest in the pair.

Grace looked back at her and smiled.  "Let's just say I won't be the only one glad to be rid of this," she said pointing at the cast.

The procedure for removing the cast was noisy and messy, but it didn't take long.  The intern used a sawing tool to cut through the plaster and then with a jerk and a pop, the cast was off.

"Oooooh, gross!" was Grace's immediate reaction when she looked down.  Whatever tan there had been on her leg had faded and her skin looked pasty.  She had worn loose-fitting pants to the hospital and quickly pulled her pantleg down over the offending limb. 

Grace slid carefully down from the examining table, almost afraid to put weight on her foot.  She moved from one foot to the other shifting her weight back and forth, timidly at first and then with more confidence.  She put her weight on her left foot and rotated her right ankle around and around.  She wanted to cheer or sing, but limited herself to a beaming smile and a deep sigh of satisfaction.

"Now, no dancing the Highland Fling for a while yet," cautioned the doctor, a young intern, operating under the watchful eye of a veteran nurse.

"But," Grace protested, "the Olympic long jump trials are next week."

The doctor frowned and was about to dash Grace's Olympic hopes when a chuckle from the nurse showed him he was being teased.  "Just be careful, and take it slowly," admonished the doctor.  "And don't miss any of your therapy appointments.  You don't want to re-injure it."

"Don't worry," stated Grace, "That's the last thing I want to do."

Grace found her way back to the entrance of the ER, resisting the desire to skip.  She would never be able to explain that to Nick.  Well, yes, I really wanted to get to you, but this inexplicable desire to pretend I was five years old just overtook me and I fell down again.

She was heading for the taxi phone when a voice beside her said, "Paging Ms. Barrett.  Ms. Grace Barrett."  She stopped and turned to the hypnotic green eyes of Kevin Richardson.

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

Kevin grinned down at her.  "I am on a mission from a higher authority," he said seriously, but his eyes twinkled in amusement.

"God?" Grace asked wonderingly.

"Higher!" said Kevin, "Wife!"  He took her by the hand.  "Come with me."

He led her from the hospital.  She looked over her shoulder and winked at Agnes who was staring and smiling.

Kevin led Grace out to his car.  They drove through the streets chatting.  He asked her about her leg. She asked him about JWR.  He asked about her latest project.  She asked about their upcoming album.  Neither mentioned Nick.

Kevin pulled into the driveway of a house.  Grace assumed it was his.  This was confirmed when the front door was thrown open and she was gathered into a tight hug by Kristin.  She shepherded Grace into the house and then turned to Kevin.  "Thanks, Babe.  Your work here is done."

"Awww, can't I stay and watch?" asked Kevin with a grin.

"Nope.  Girl stuff.  Scram."  Kristin led Grace down a long hallway to a bathroom. 

"Take off your pants," she said to Grace, "and sit there."  She pointed to a small padded bench.  She turned away to a counter and started rooting among an array of bottles and tubes.

"I don't wear underwear," said Grace, which caused Kristin to swing back to her in alarm.  "Just kidding," said Grace and dropped her pants to the floor.  She stepped out of them and sat on the bench.

Kristin laughed.  She really liked this girl.  She pulled on some rubber gloves and motioned to the counter.  "What we have here is a veritable salon of depilatories.  We're going to make you smooth-limbed for your handsome prince."

"Well, you're going to have your work cut out for you," said Grace, motioning to her right leg.

Kristin looked at the leg and wrinkled her nose in distaste.  "No job is too hard for the Queen of Depilation."  She frowned.  "Depilatoriness?" she asked.

Grace answered in her prissiest voice.  "I believe the proper technical term is 'unwanted hair removal'."

Kevin sat in another room listening to the shrieks of laughter coming from the bathroom.  He smiled to himself.  Women!  Lord only knew what they were doing in there.  He thought about Grace for a moment.  Kristin really liked her.  And Nick was in love with her.  Kevin could easily see that.  He liked her too and he wanted to give this his whole-hearted approval but...there was something.  He couldn't put his finger on it, but there was something not quite right.  He recalled AJ's words about 'Kevin wrecking it'.  He was determined that he was going to say nothing.  This might work out for his beloved little brother.  He truly hoped so.  But if it didn't, he was not going to say 'I told you so' and he was certainly not going to put himself in a position where anyone could blame him.  Another shriek of laughter made him think that he needed to do something male, so he headed to the kitchen for a beer.

"This is amazing," said Grace, as Kristin smeared cream all over both her legs from the knees down.

"Well, we want them to match, don't we?" said Kristin.  "And I was afraid your first instinct would be to grab a razor and hack away at yourself."

Grace nodded, "Let's just say if there had been any sandpaper handy, I'd be a raw, bleeding mess by now."

Kristin shook her head.  "We don't want that.  We want nice, smooth legs - no nicks."

"No nicks for Nick," said Grace and the ensuing explosion of laughter was what sent Kevin on his search for manly suds.

Half an hour later, Kristin announced that she was satisfied.  Grace looked down at her legs.  They were smooth and hairless.  They had been massaged and moisturized.  And one of them was decidedly paler than the other.  The women looked at each other and shrugged.  Nothing they could do about that.

"Look at it this way," said Kristin.  "I'm pretty sure that Nick really wants to kiss that ankle that he last saw trapped in a sewer grating.  This way, he'll be sure to get the right one.

Grace laughed again and then became serious.  "Kristin, this was very sweet of you. I know that Kevin doesn't..."

Kristin held up a hand.  "Kevin is a man," she said, as if that explained everything.  "It will take him longer to see what I see, but he'll get there.  And I see that you are right for Nick, and he is right for you.  Okay, put your pants back on, girl.  Now, you're ready to face the world."

Kristin and Grace emerged from the bathroomKevin didn't know what magic his darling wife had worked, and he frankly didn't want to have the details, but Grace was glowing.  Rather than dwell on female topics, he grabbed his car keys and announced, "On to part two of the Great Grace Adventure."

Kristin gave him a look and he shut up immediately.  Part two? thought Grace.  Was someone going to shave her head?

They drove in silence to Grace's building.  When they pulled up in front, Kevin turned to her with a smile.  "Okay, young lady, there you go."

Grace thanked him and got out of the car.  Before she closed the door, she leaned in and said, "I would die before I would hurt him."  Kevin nodded at her and she closed the door.

She entered the building and waved at Jermaine as she headed for the elevator.  "Get out those dancing shoes," he called to her.

"Not yet, Jermaine, but soon!" she answered back.

She got off the elevator and walked to her door.  It was slightly ajar and had a paper taped to it that said, Two-legged creatures welcome here.  She pushed open the door and peered inside.  "Hello," she said tentatively.

Nick leapt up from the sofa.  He looked at her legs.  Grace did a little dance and finished with her arms out.  Ta da!  Nick came over and took her by the hand.  He didn’t kiss her, which disappointed her somewhat, but instead, led her to the bathroom.  He smiled down at her.  “To quote from one of our songs, ‘your every wish will be done’.” He kissed her on the forehead and pushed open the bathroom door.

Grace gasped and threw her hands over her mouth.  The room was full of candles.  The bathtub was full of bubbles.  There were flowers everywhere. 

"Enjoy, my sweet little water baby," said Nick.  "I'll be back at 8."  And he left, closing the bathroom door behind him.

Grace was transfixed. Then she smiled and slowly unbuttoned her blouse.  She took a long time removing her clothes, admiring the flowers and savoring the anticipation.  Finally, she stepped into the tub.  A long sigh of satisfaction came from her as she sank down.  Oh God, the joy of being wet, of sinking up to her neck in water and sweet-smelling bubbles - joyous, just joyous.  She blew a handful of bubbles off her hand and tipped her head back on the edge of the tub.  She moved her hands under the water to make waves.  Delicious!  She was going to go swimming at the first opportunity.  Maybe off Nick's boat.  .  Ahhh…Nick.  What a beautiful thing he had done for her.  Your every wish will be done.  She sobered for a moment when she realized that the line came from the song, Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely.  She thought about what lay ahead.  No, she wouldn’t go there just yet.  She’d think about that when she had to.  She pulled herself under the water and became a fish.
Chapter 29 by old_archive
Grace luxuriated in the tub until the water began to cool.  Reluctantly, she pulled the plug and stood up.  She stood under the shower for awhile rinsing off the remaining bubbles and washing her hair.  She pulled on a dark green satin robe that was hanging on the back of the door.  She blew out the candles and opened the door to the big room and the one to the bedroom.  There was no window in the bathroom.  Grace turned on the exhaust fan to clear the room of the tendrils of smoke rising from the extinguished candles.

She picked up one of the vases of flowers and carried it out to the big room. She grinned to herself at how easy it was.  No having to plan every stage of the journey, utilizing strategic table placements and crutch maneuvers.  Just pick it up and move it.  She brought the vases of flowers out and placed them around the room.  They were gorgeous.

On the kitchen counter, she found a note from Nick.  “Are you a total prune now?!  Hope you enjoyed the bath.  See you at 8.  Love, Nick”.  Love, Nick. 

Grace stared at the note, then reached out her fingers to trace the words.  She looked at the clock.  She had lots of time to eat and get ready.  She opened the fridge and surveyed the contents.  She had a leftover chicken breast and some salad greens.  Perfect!  She tossed the greens with some raspberry vinaigrette while the chicken warmed in the microwave.  She sliced it on top of the salad and grabbed a bottle of water.  She marched it all over to the computer, marveling again at the ease of life.  Imagine!  It only took one trip!

Grace finished wading through today's onslaught of email, then turned to her latest project - a computer software company.  She found it ironic that a company full of computer experts would need outside help to design a website and she said so to the company president when they met.

He had laughed and shaken his head at the memory of their attempts.  "We tried," he said, "but half the attempts were so full of fancy gimmicks that you would have needed NASA's computers to access them and the other half were boring, full of technical jargon and decidedly unpretty."

Grace had laid out some preliminary designs and gotten approval to proceed.  She looked at the clock.  If she worked for an hour, she would still have plenty of time to get ready.  Nick was taking her to a private party at a friend's house.

Grace carried the remains of the salad to the kitchen and scraped the plate.  She grabbed another bottle of water from the fridge and set the timer on the microwave for fifty-five minutes.  Then she went back to the computer.

She worked away until she heard a ringing sound.  It took four rings before it broke through to her that it was the phone.  She looked at the clock.  Shit!  She had missed hearing the microwave altogether.

"Style and Grace," she said, grabbing the phone.  She looked around but couldn't see her headset anywhere.

"It's Jermaine, Ms. Barrett.  Your young man is here."

"Thank you, Jermaine.  Send him up."  She was tempted to ask Jermaine to stall Nick for twenty minutes while she got ready.  Crap!  Why did she do this?  She shook her head to remove Matt's voice, tsking and accusing her of not being there for him.

A knock at the door brought her out of her reverie.  She walked over and opened it.  "I'm sorry, Nick.  I'm not ready.  I got busy and lost track of the time."  She waved her hand at the computer.

Nick followed her into the apartment, looking her up and down.  He smiled and tilted his head to one side. "Oh, I thought maybe you were trying to tell me you didn't want to go to the party."

He walked up to her and reached out his hand.  She thought he was going to caress her face or something, but he didn't.  He reached into her hair and pulled out the pencil she had shoved there.

"Interesting fashion accessory," he murmured.

Grace blushed.  "I'm sorry, Nick..."

"But a very dangerous one.  I could lose an eye when I do this."  And his mouth swooped down to cover hers.  The tingle that went through her was head-to-toe.  He held her head in his hands and kissed her, searching out her tongue.  She moaned and swayed, her head light.  He released her and looked at her questioningly.  "You okay?"

"I think I need my crutches again," she said.

"What?"  He looked at her with a worried expression.

"You make my knees weak," whispered Grace, sliding up against him and kissing him.  He made a sound in his throat and ran his hands down her back. 

Then he gave his head a little shake and stepped back.  He wanted to make love to her right now, but he knew they'd miss the party and he really wanted her to meet his friends.  But later...oh, later...

“Let me see the famous leg,” he said, pulling her over to the couch. 

Grace sat down and primly tucked the robe around her.“  Okay, let’s see if you can guess which one it was.”  She pulled up the robe to reveal two slim, but shapely legs, one decidedly whiter than the other.  Draped around the pale ankle was a thin gold chain.

Nick looked down at her legs.  They did look funny.  He chuckled.  "It looks like you're wearing mis-matched socks."  They laughed together.  Nick dropped to his knees in front of her and tenderly caressed her right ankle with his fingertips.  Then he bent down and kissed it.  Grace drew in her breath sharply.  Nick moved his lips further up her leg, dropping kisses along her calf and the inside of her knee.

"Nick," she whispered, and he looked up.  He saw the longing in her eyes and he almost gave in.

"Party...must party," he intoned huskily, getting up and moving away.  He stood with his back to her studying a bookshelf.  "Now, go get dressed, you temptress, before I...just go get dressed."

"Yes, sir," she replied and disappeared into the bedroom.  She came out in ten minutes, wearing black pants and a coppery satin shirt.  "I'm ready," she said.  "I just have to run a pencil through my hair and I'm all set."

Nick turned to her.  "How did you break your headset?" he asked, holding up two broken pieces of plastic. 

Grace looked from his face to his hands and back again.  "I don't know.  I couldn't find it earlier.  Where was it?"

"It was on the floor, here by the window."  Nick motioned to a spot near her desk.

Grace puzzled over it for a moment and then shrugged.  Nick set the pieces down on her desk and came over to her.  He leaned down and kissed her forehead.  "You look nice," he said.

"So do you," she answered, "and by the way, you are the sweetest man.  Thank you for this afternoon, the bath was just...just heavenly."  She kissed him gently on the lips.

"You're very welcome," he murmured against her mouth, "but," he said, tilting his head back, "I can't take credit for it all.  I did the planning, the candles and flowers and stuff, but the original idea wasn't mine.  It was..."

"Kristin," she smiled, remembering the conversation at Brian's dinner party.

"No, actually, it was Kevin," said Nick.  "He's a very romantic guy."

"Well, I thank you all.  It was exquisite.  It transformed me back into a human being, albeit one with two-toned legs."

Nick smiled to himself.  He had never been out with a girl who used a word like 'albeit'.  He had no clue what it meant.

"Can you help me with this?"  Grace opened her hand to show him a gold chain and then turned her back to him, so he could do up the clasp.

"I'm afraid not," said Nick, setting the chain down on the counter.

"Why not?" said Grace, turning back.  "Is the clasp broken?"

"No," said Nick, removing a small box from his pocket, "but I'd rather you wear this."

Grace looked up at him. 

Nick was grinning broadly.  “Happy leg,” he said as Grace lifted the lid from the box to reveal a thin gold chain with a little golden dolphin hanging from the end of it.

"It's beautiful," she whispered, fingering the dolphin.  She looked up at him.  "You're beautiful."  She turned her back to him.

"And such a way with words," he said, securing the clasp at the back of her neck.  "'Happy leg!'  What a dumb thing to say!"  He kissed the back of her neck.

"It wasn't dumb," said Grace, turning back to him.  "It was perfect."  She melted into his arms and they kissed.  She ran her fingernails down his shirt front.

Nick moaned, and moved away.  "We are never going to make this party, if we keep doing this.  Come on, let's go!"


******************************

Grace had a great time at the party.  There were very few show business types there but rather, guys Nick had met through his interest in boating and scuba diving. It was heaven to walk up to the door holding his hand, to move from room to room with ease, to get a drink for herself or for Nick, not to have people fussing over her the whole time.

She stayed with Nick for awhile because they were both reluctant to let go of each other's hand.  He introduced her to people, and they all seemed friendly, although she did get the once-over from a couple of girls.  Nick didn't seem to want to hang around them.  Grace figured they were former conquests.

After awhile, Grace whispered in Nick's ear that she wanted directions to the bathroom.  He grinned and whispered back, "You're not planning on another bath, are you?"

"Not without you," she breathed into his ear.

"Why, you lusty wench," he whispered and kissed her neck.  Then he pointed the way to the bathroom. 

It had not escaped the attention of his friends that a very different Nick Carter stood before them tonight.  Usually, Nick would blast into a party, shouting for beer and generally raising the noise and energy level of everyone around him.  He would drink and smoke cigars and then look around for someone to take care of his other needs.  There was always a lineup of girls more than willing to do that.  Even if Nick did bring a girl to a party, he didn't stay with her long, but spread the largesse of his smile and his company on everyone.

Tonight, he was totally different.  He had only had two beers the entire evening and had turned down offers of more.  He moved from group to group chatting in a friendly manner, but without the 'let's party' ferocity of former times.  And he did not want to let go of this girl. 

One of his oldest friends, Todd, watched Nick watch Grace walk away.  “Hey, Nickster,” he said, punching him playfully on the shoulder.  Nick turned to look at him, a lopsided grin on his face.

“Is this it?” asked Todd.  “Is this the end of the Nick Carter run?”  He nodded his head toward the doorway Grace had just gone through.

Nick looked at his friend.  “I hope so,” he said seriously.

"Well, that's great.  Maybe it will leave some California babes for the rest of us.  Maybe one of us will be able to get laid without having to promise to introduce the chick to Nick Carter." 

Nick shook his head.  He knew Todd was just kidding.  At least, he hoped he was.

Todd continued.  "Seriously, man.  I like her.  You go good together.  And she's obviously in love with you."

"Do you think so?" asked Nick.  "We haven't talked about that."

"How long have you been seeing her again?" asked Todd.  

"Five weeks," said Nick.  "Five weird and wonderful weeks."


******************************


When she came out of the bathroom, Grace turned the wrong way and found herself in another part of the house.  She tried to make her way back, but was pulled into a conversation with one of Nick's friends who was looking to buy a new computer.  More people joined in and it was several minutes before she could move on.  She was brought into a discussion of sports and her spirited defense of baseball as the National Pastime over football or basketball had the group laughing and debating hotly.

She continued moving through the house working her way back to Nick.  As she passed through a doorway, she met one of Nick's formers.  The girl nodded at Grace.  Grace nodded back.  As she went by, the girl said, "Good luck.  You seem good for each other."

"Thanks," said Grace.

"Just don't make him mad," whispered the other girl ominously.

Grace finally found Nick right where she had left him.  Nick Carter didn't have to circulate at a party. The party circulated to him.

"I took the long way back," she said.  He slipped his arm around her and held her in front of him, facing away from him.  Grace leaned back against him, enjoying the feel of his arm around her.  He rested his chin on her head and continued listening to people talk. 

During a lull in the conversation, he said, "Grace, you're standing with all your weight on your good foot...I mean, your left one. Is everything okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine," she said.  "The right one's just a little tender, that's all.  I don't want to overdo it the first day."

"Of course, I should have realized that.  Let's go."

Grace protested weakly, but she was feeling tired and in a few minutes, she was sitting in the front seat of Nick's car.

"Two beers," he said in answer to her unasked question.  She smiled and nodded.  "I surely did not want to have too much to drink tonight."

Grace blushed and ducked her head.  Yes, tonight was the night.
Chapter 30 by old_archive
When they reached Grace's place, Nick had trouble finding a parking spot.  He circled the block once and then stopped in front of her building.  "You go on up and I'll be right there," he said. "I don't want you walking any more."

"Okay," said Grace, "I'll slip into something more comfortable.  Any suggestions?"

"How about just a dolphin?" he leered at her.

"Hmmm...I'll think about that."  She lowered herself from his car.  "Don't be long," she waved and turned to go inside.

Gary was on duty at the desk.  "Well, look at you!" he exclaimed.  "No more crutches."

"Isn't it great?" said Grace, "I feel like I'm doing everything at hyperspeed.  But check this out."  She pulled her pant legs halfway up her calves.

Gary couldn't resist laughing.  "I see some suntanning in your future."

Grace laughed along with him.  "You don't have to be a psychic to figure that out."  She moved off to the elevator.  "Nick's looking for a parking spot.  When he comes in, just send him up, okay?"

Gary's stomach fell.  He had seen Nick drive off and was hoping he was gone for the night.  "Sure, Grace, no problem."   The elevator door opened and she disappeared inside.  Gary wondered if she was like that with everyone, flirting and showing her body, and then going off with someone else.  A girl could get herself in trouble that way if she led on the wrong guy.

When Nick came through the lobby a few minutes later, Gary barely glanced at him, just waved him to the elevator.  Nick's quick pace and intent look told Gary all he needed to know about what was about to take place in 4B.  He made a note in his logbook and reached for one of his magazines.

Nick stepped off the elevator and walked up the hall.  He stopped in front of Grace's door.  He took a deep breath and said a small prayer.  Please God, this is important.  Please don't let me mess this up.  He tried the door.  It was unlocked.  He stepped in and closed and locked the door behind him.  He didn't see Grace anywhere.  The big room was lit up from the streetlights outside, but there were no lights on.  A ribbon of light shone from the bedroom doorway.  Nick made his way toward it. 

"Grace?" he called gently, "It's Nick."  Dumb thing to say, he thought, but he didn't want to startle her.

"I certainly hope so," she answered.

Nick walked into the room.  Grace stood by the bed, wearing the green satin robe from earlier.  He smiled at her.  "I seem to remember this from before."  He ran his hands down her arms.  "Soft and smooth," he muttered, half to himself.

Grace's hands began undoing the buttons on his shirt.  When it was open, she began kissing his chest, running her fingers and her lips over his tattoo.  Nick shrugged the shirt off his arms.  He reached for the sash on her robe and tugged it free.  He reached one hand inside and began fondling her breasts.  He ran the other hand down her back.

Grace's hands moved down to his belt.  She brushed her hand over him and could feel his need for her.  She undid his belt and the button on his pants.  His erection was straining the material and she found the zipper difficult to maneuver.

Nick let go of her and undid the zipper himself.  Then he reached out and pulled the robe gently from Grace's shoulders.  She stood before him, the tiny dolphin glinting in the light.  He took in every part of her with his eyes.  Then he looked at her face.  "I think I need to make love to you now," he whispered, his voice husky with passion.

"Yes, please," she whispered back.

Nick removed his pants and they stood naked before each other.  Grace ran her fingers down his stomach to his erection.  She lightly outlined its shape with her fingertips.  Her delicate touch drove him wild.  He pulled her to him pressing his swollen member against her stomach.  He kissed her neck and her shoulders.  He guided her backwards and laid her on the bed.  "I want you so much," he whispered, kneeling beside her.

"I'm not very good at this."  The confession was a plaintive whisper.  She wasn't sure if he heard her.

Nick knelt between her legs.  He kissed her ankle sweetly and then moved his lips up her leg.  His fingers followed the same path up the other leg.  Lips and fingers met at the top, coming together at her centre.  He gently caressed her with his fingers, separating her folds and massaging her, while his mouth left little fiery prints along her stomach from one hipbone to the other.  Finally, he lowered his mouth over her.  Grace gripped the bedspread in her hands.  She could barely breathe.  Nick used his tongue and his lips and his teeth.  And then, Grace was gone - spiraling out of orbit, rocketing through space, stars exploding all around her.

Nick felt her orgasm move through her.  He lifted his mouth from her and moved it up her body slowly, his tongue circling her navel and then poking in.  Upward to her breasts, where he sucked on each one, gently and then with a growing intensity.  He moved himself between her legs and positioned himself at her opening.  He raised his head to look in her eyes, as he began to enter her and he saw...TERROR!  Stark, heart-stopping terror.  It was only for a moment, but it was there.  He moved back from her.

"No," moaned Grace.  "Keep going.  It's okay." 

But it wasn't okay.  Nick lifted himself away from her and lay alongside her.

"Please, Nick, please," begged Grace.  "It's okay.  It's your turn."

My turn?  What the hell?  Nick's erection dissipated rapidly, as confusion flooded his brain.

Grace started trembling and tears began trickling from her eyes.  Her hands fluttered over his chest and then downward.  She grasped him in her hands and tried frantically to manipulate him back to where he had been. 

Nick couldn't figure out what the hell was going on but he knew he needed time to think.  "Grace, don't," he said, knocking her hands away and turning, so that she no longer had access to him.

"I can do other things," she said and he felt her sliding her body downward.

“No!” he said, jumping off the bed and grabbing his boxers.  “Grace, you’re not a whore.  You don’t have to make me come.  You don’t keep score, for God’s sakes!”  Nick tried to control his words; he could see that each one of them was like a slap to her.  But he couldn’t help it.  This whole situation was so different from what he expected.  He kept pulling on his clothes.

Grace huddled at the top of the bed, with her legs pulled up and her arms crossed in front of her in a defensive posture.  She rocked her body and stared at her hands.

“Grace…”  Nick softened his voice, but she wouldn’t look at him.  “Grace, I need to think.  Grace, do you hear me?” 

She nodded faintly. 

He moved toward her, but she recoiled.  “Go,” she whispered sadly.  “Just go.”

So he did.


******************************

Gary was barely halfway through one magazine when the elevator door opened and Nick came hurtling off.  He was out the front door and gone almost before Gary had registered his presence.  That was not a happy man, thought Gary with satisfaction, wondering for a moment what had happened.  He happily noted Nick's exit in his logbook and turned back to his magazine with a shrug.

******************************

Upstairs, Grace lay on the bed, curled up in as tight a ball as she could make of herself.  She rocked back and forth and moaned.  The moans turned into wails and the tears finally came, great sobs wracking her body - all the tears she had been unable to shed, the tears she had been afraid to shed, because deep in her heart, she believed that it was those unshed tears that were the glue holding her mind together and if she ever let them go, she would be lost forever.  Lost forever.  The words became her mantra as she lay rocking and sobbing and chanting.  Lost forever.
Chapter 31 by old_archive
Nick woke up the next day with a serious hangover.  Driving home the night before, he had tried to make some sense out of what had happened, but all he could hear was Matt's voice, "when she flips out on you, call me".

When he got home, Nick grabbed himself a beer and planted himself in front of his x-box.  He raced cars and killed aliens and drank more beer.  He mulled over the scene and questioned his own actions.  Had he come on too strong?  He didn’t think so.  They had been working up to this for a month and Grace had seemed as eager to get there as he did.  He remembered her whispered, “Yes, please”.  And then more of her words came back to him.  “I’m not very good at this.”  At the time he had been concentrating on other things and had passed it off as mere modesty on her part, but now he wasn’t so sure.  He blew up the alien mother ship and headed back to the fridge.

And should he have left?  Did he panic?  She told me to go, he thought.  Yeah, well, you were pulling all your clothes on at the time, whispered another part of his brain. After several more beer and a futile attempt to slay a fire-breathing dragon, Nick threw down the controller and staggered off to bed.  He barely got undressed before he fell face down on the bed and passed out.

When his eyes creaked open the next day, he tried to focus on the clock.  Eleven something, he thought.  He ran his tongue around his mouth.  Yuck.  He felt like the dragon had slept in his mouth.  He hauled himself up and stumbled to the bathroom.  He brushed his teeth and drank several glasses of water, tossing back a couple of extra-strength Tylenol.  He stood under the shower and gradually his mind cleared and he remembered why he was so hung over.  Grace!  Oh my God, what had he done to her?  He wrapped the towel around his waist and headed for his phone.

"Style and Grace.  Good morning."  Grace's voice sounded hoarse and nasal.

"Hey there," whispered Nick softly.  He could hear her tiny gasp.

"Hey," she breathed back.  They were silent for several seconds, absorbing each other, re-establishing a connection.

"Are you okay?" he ventured tentatively.

"Well, I look like hell," she said, softly.  "My eyes are so puffy, I can barely see the monitor.  How about you?"

"I have a hangover the size of Utah," he answered back.  There were several more seconds of silence.  Then they both spoke at once.

"Nick, I..."

"Grace."  He rode over her words.  "Bathing suit, beach bag, towel.  I'll be there in twenty minutes.  We'll talk about this in the water."  And he hung up before she had a chance to turn him down.

Grace gathered her things together and went downstairs.  She didn't want him to come up to the apartment.  Neutral territory was definitely called for until she knew what he was thinking.  She couldn't believe how she had panicked last night.  Of course, there seemed to be a little bit of that going around in both directions.  All in all, a very confusing and hurtful night.  She prayed it could be fixed.

Grace chatted with Jermaine for a couple of minutes while waiting for Nick.  He inquired after her health, was she feeling all right?  Grace knew she looked like hell.  She wondered what Nick would think.  She saw his car pull up.  She said goodbye to Jermaine and went out the door.  Nick got out of the car and came around to open the door for her.  She looked up at him.  He looked as bad as she did.  He must have been thinking the same thing because he smiled and touched her face by her puffy eyes.

"We're a right couple of movie stars, aren't we?" she said tentatively.

Nick put his finger on her lips.  "No talking.  We aren't going to talk yet.  We're just going to be."

Grace nodded her agreement.  Silence she could do.  She had a lot of practice at that.

"But first, you need to know this," he said, and he leaned down and kissed her.  Her heart soared.

"Not on the street," she whispered into his mouth.

"Sssshh," he whispered back and kissed her some more.  Then he opened the car door and helped her in.

She thought they would head for the marina, but they didn't.  Nick drove for awhile and pulled into a driveway.  Grace had no idea where they were.  She looked at him questioningly.

"It's a friend's house.  The boat would have been better, but it would have taken too much time."  He got out of the car and came around to her side.  Together they walked up to the house.  House was too small a word for the mansion they were standing in front of.  Nick rang the bell.  A middle-aged housekeeper in a grey uniform opened the door. 

"Senor Nick," she said.  "Come in, come in.  He says you go right out to the back.  You got your car?" 

Nick handed over the keys and led Grace by the hand through the house and out the back.  Grace tried to catch a glimpse of rooms as they went by, but Nick set a very determined pace.  She caught snatches of rich looking leathers and wood.  They went past room after room and then suddenly they were outside, standing on a cement patio that would have allowed a football scrimmage.  Steps from the patio led down to rolling lawns.  A large swimming pool was visible from the patio. 

Grace started in that direction, but Nick stopped her.  "Ours is that way," he said and went down the steps and across the lawn.  They walked through a garden full of beautiful flowers and plants and turned a corner around a hedge.  In front of them was a smaller house - guest house, Grace figured - and another pool.

Nick led her by the hand up to the door of the house.  He opened it and took her inside.  He showed her to the bathroom and handed her her bag.  "Get changed.  Meet me at the pool." 

Grace quickly changed into her bathing suit.  She had no idea where she was or what was going on.  But Nick was obviously in charge.  She left her clothes neatly piled on the bathroom counter and went outside. 

Nick was already in the pool, doing laps.  She went over to the shallow end where there was a set of wide steps.  She dipped a toe in - of course, the temperature was perfect.  How could it not be in this location!?  She walked in up to her waist.  Nick saw her and swam over. He took her hand and led her into the deep water.  It felt so good.  She swam out and then did a surface dive going all the way to the bottom.  She surfaced and shook her head, smoothing the water off her face with a hand. Then she started swimming, up and down the pool.  He swam beside her.  Up and down.  Up and down.  Not racing each other, just keeping pace, slow and steady.  Up and down. 

Grace kept this up until a twinge in her right ankle told her she had done enough for the day and she abruptly pulled up.  Nick stopped immediately. 

“My ankle,” she said, “I think it’s had enough for now.” 

Nick swam to the stairs.  He sat on the bottom one, in water up to his neck.  He motioned for her to sit beside him.  He leaned back so that his head was resting on the step and his body was floating in the water.  She did the same and they lay together for awhile.  His hand reached out and took hers.  They entwined their fingers.

"Tell me," he said.  "Tell me what I did wrong last night."

"Nooooo," she whimpered.  "It isn't you.  It's me.  I can't...I don't..."

"Is it because of the...?"  Nick did not want to say the ugly word.

"Yes," she whispered.

"Did you want to be with me?"  He looked at the sky.  Please, God.

"Yes," she wailed in anguish.  "Yes, I did.  I do.  You should have just kept going.  I would have been fine."

Nick pulled himself to a sitting position, bringing her with him.  Without letting go of her hand, he stood and walked up the steps out of the pool.  Grace had no choice but to follow him. 

Nick grabbed two towels off the table and handed her one.  They spent a minute drying themselves off.  Then he took Grace by the hand again and led her to a lounger sitting in the shade. He made her sit down on it.   He walked up and down in front of her, opening his mouth and then closing it again, as he searched for the words.  He stopped and looked down on her.

"Listen to me, Grace Barrett.  I don't want you to be 'fine'.  I don't want you to 'let me' do something if you can't handle it.  Don't you get it?  I love you."  Nick dropped to his knees in front of her.   He took her face in his hands and said each word slowly and clearly, "I...love...you."

The whole world disappeared.  The gardens, the pool, everything but him.  All Grace could see was him.  She put her fingers up and touched his face, to make sure he was real.  She closed her eyes and then opened them again, afraid that in the interval he would have disappeared.  But he hadn't.  He said it again, "I...love...you."

Grace nodded slowly.  Her fingers moved over his face.  She couldn’t make them be still.  By touching him, she could keep him real.  Her mouth moved, but no sound came out.  She tried again, but nothing happened.  It was okay, though, because Nick could read her lips.  He could make out her ‘I love you’s as clearly as if she were singing them.  They sat together saying it over and over to each other, holding each other’s face in their hands, until finally, her words had sound.  Then his mouth covered hers and there was no sound again for a few minutes.

Nick moved back from her.  He sighed.  Monumental, stupendous, fantastic, but...

Grace sighed too.  This was going to be embarrassing.  Talking about sex was not easy for her. 

"Did you and Matt...?" Nick did not know how to start this conversation.  He sure didn't want to start it with another man's name, but he couldn't see how else to begin.

Grace nodded.

"But, how?" 

Grace's voice was a whisper.  "He just kept going."

"But Grace, didn't he know you were afraid?  Didn't he know you wouldn't like it?"

She nodded again.  "Yes, but..."

I am going to kill him, thought Nick.  Kill him dead.

Grace took a deep breath and stood up.  "Nick, this is going to be embarrassing and hard for me to say.  But I am going to try, because we need to get over this.  I need to get over this.  So please, hear me out.  Don't interrupt me.  Okay?"  Now she was the one pacing back and forth.

"Back when Matt and I first started going out, I didn't want to do anything.  I was afraid to be touched.  Matt was very patient with me, just like he was when I wouldn't talk.  And gradually, he got through to me.  I was able to hold his hand and let him kiss me and kiss him back.  And it kind of went on from there - touching and things.  And eventually, we got to the point that you and I were at last night.  I could do everything but..." she paused.  "But I...I didn't want him inside me." 

Her shoulders started to shake.  Nick made a move to stand up, but Grace shook her head firmly and held up her hand.  "He understood and we found other ways.  We used our hands...our mouths."  Grace stared at the ground.  "But he really wanted to.  He told me that our love wouldn't be complete until we did it...that way.  And he tried persuading and cajoling and even threatening to break up with me.  He even tried to get me drunk once."

Dead.  Dead.  He's dead.  The corners of Nick's vision were bright red with anger.

"And I wanted to.  I wanted to get over it.  I wanted to please him.  And I tried.  We would make love and I would think 'I can do this.  Tonight, I can do this', but at the last minute I'd say no."

She was silent for a moment.  She raised her eyes to his.  And in a small flat voice, she said, "And then one day, he just lost patience."

I am going to kill him.  I am going to kill him.  Nick fought to keep his anger under control.  He was afraid he would take it out on her.  Don't move, he told himself, don't move.  He nodded at her because he was afraid to speak.  Go on.

"He told me that I wasn't the only woman in the world who didn't like to have sex, that I wasn't the only woman who had ever been raped and I should take the opportunity to have a man who really loved me erase that memory.  He told me that I wasn't totally frigid because he could make me...um...have an orgasm..so as long as I was getting mine, he should be getting his.  And he didn't just want it the way I was willing to give it to him.  He wanted to be part of me.  And that with time, I would learn to enjoy it."  She paused.  "And so I stopped saying 'no'."

Grace knelt down before Nick.  She picked up his hands and looked deep into his eyes.  “And I wasn’t trying to say ‘no’ to you last night. You should have just kept going.”

“Kept going?”  Nick jumped to his feet and shouted at her.  She recoiled from the power of his voice.  “Grace, last night I saw terror in your eyes.  Didn’t I?  Tell me.”

She nodded.

"And you did not want me to...be inside you, did you?"  He tried to control his voice, but he couldn't.

"I...I..."

"Did you ever get used to it with him?  Did you ever learn to enjoy it?"  He was shaking.

They looked at each other.  He took her face in his hands.  This time, he whispered, "Did you?"

Slowly, she shook her head.  "No."

"And can't you see what a betrayal of our love that would be, if you did something like that or worse, 'let me' do that when you really didn't want to?  When it frightened you?"

"But I want us to be together.  I want us to try.  I want..."

"We'll get there.  We will.  But we are going to take this ever so slowly.  We will spend the night together.  We will be naked.  We will drive each other crazy.  We will satisfy each other.  We will do as much as you want.  But only as much as you want.  Do you promise me, Grace?  Only as much as you want.  Do not think you will be pleasing me if you do something you do not want to do. Do you understand?"

She nodded.  "I promise."

"Good," he said with finality.  He dropped his hands from her face.

"Nick?"  She picked up his hand.  "You know that part about driving each other crazy."

"Yeah," he nodded.

"Could we start now?"


******************************


Nick took Grace by the hand and led her into the house.  She followed him into a bedroom at the back.  He walked over and pulled back the covers.  When he turned back to her, she was naked.  He pulled off his swim trunks.  They stood facing each other. 

Tentatively, they reached out and with their fingertips they touched each other's face, then neck, then shoulders.  Grace stepped up to him and wrapped her arms around him.  She kissed his throat and his chest.  His erection was pressed between them.  This time, it was her turn to push him backward to the bed. 

Nick lay down on his side, making room for her.  They faced each other and touched each other all over, testing the limits.  He slid his fingers between her legs and massaged her centre.  He went to put two fingers into her, then hesitated.  He looked at her face.  Grace nodded.  He moved his fingers in and out and then back to her pleasure spot.  Grace reached down with her hands and stroked him, cupping his testicles.  Then she slid down the bed.  She kissed his chest and licked her way down to his navel.  She used her tongue to circle it and dart in and out.  Then she moved further down and put her mouth over him. 

Grace used her tongue to circle the head of his penis.  She continued cupping his testicles, gently rotating them in her hand.  She sucked gently on him and then harder.  Sounds came from deep in his throat.  When she felt him nearing the end, she raised her head.  She moved back up his body.

Grace moved close to Nick, placing his penis between her folds.  She slid back and forth.  Nick got the idea and pulled her under him.  Then he moved back and forth over her, careful not to enter her.  The friction of his wet erection against her center caused her to come almost immediately and with a shudder and a gasp, Nick was not far behind.  His hips bucked and his juices spilled out onto her stomach. 

Nick threw his head back and emitted a long, low moan.  Then he looked down at her face, at her half-closed eyes, her head back, her lips slightly parted.  He put his mouth close to her ear.  "I love you," he whispered.

"I love you too," she whispered back, and felt like half a woman.
Chapter 32 by old_archive
Saturday - a week later

Nick needed to talk to someone.  When he needed advice about business, he talked to Kevin.  Spiritual guidance was sought from Brian.  Howie was good with people and relationship questions. But when he needed to talk about sex, AJ was the man.

Nick wasn't sure how to bring it up.  He didn't want to break Grace's confidence, but he knew he could trust AJ to keep the secret forever.

"Hey, Bone," he said after the meeting, "Do you want to get some lunch?"

“We don’t ‘do lunch’, Nick.  What’s up?” 

Nick looked over his shoulder at the others and lowered his voice.   “I kinda need to talk to you.  I need some advice.”

AJ nodded, "Cool.  Is it about Grace?"

"Yeah," said Nick, "It's kinda private."

AJ nodded his head in understanding and invited Nick to follow him home.  Sarah was out for the afternoon and they could do guy talk, uninterrupted.  When they got there, AJ got them soft drinks and they went into the living room.  AJ sank down on one of the leather sofas and motioned Nick to the other.  But Nick remained standing.  He paced up and down in front of AJ.  He really wasn't sure how to begin.

AJ tried to help him out.  "This is about Grace, right?" 

Nick nodded.

"Did something happen?  Is there a problem?" 

Nick hemmed and hawed and started and stopped. 

AJ couldn't make sense of anything his stammering friend was saying.  Finally, he said loudly, "What's the problem, Nicky?"

"She got raped," Nick blurted out. 

AJ came forward to the edge of the sofa.  "Oh, my God!  When?"

"When she was in college," replied Nick. 

AJ looked at him over the top of his glasses.  He held out his hands and crooked his fingers.  More information, please.  So Nick told him - all about the rape and the aftermath.  And Matt.  And what Matt had done to her.  And how she was now.  He paced back and forth while AJ sat and watched him.

"Fucking asshole rapist," said AJ, when Nick was finished.  AJ was so angry he wanted to hurt someone.

"The college guy?" said Nick.

"No, the fiancé," said AJ. 

Nick thought that maybe AJ hadn't understood the story and went to correct him. 

But AJ held up his hand.  "Every time he did it to her that she didn't want to, that was rape.  And to make her think that he was doing her a favor, that he was helping her?"  AJ's lips were white.  Nick thought that maybe he'd introduce Matt to AJ some day.  Matt deserved it.

"But what can I do?" said Nick.  "I want to be with her, but I want her to want it too.  And I know that she wants to be with me, but there's all this history and crap."  He explained to AJ everything that he had tried so far.  "We spend the night together.  We mess around.  We make each other..."  AJ held up his hand.  Way too many details, Bro. 

Nick sighed.  "She's only been with four guys in her life before now.  Three of them raped her and the other one told her it was her fault and took control of her mind."

AJ leaned back with his arms along the back of the sofa.  He looked at the ceiling and didn't say anything for awhile.  Nick stopped his pacing and leaned against the mantel and watched him turning it over in his mind.  Finally AJ nodded once to himself and looked over at Nick.

"Put her on top," he said.  Nick wasn't sure he had heard right.  He looked at AJ, frowning.

"Put her on top," AJ repeated.  "Yeah, that's it," he nodded.  The next time you're...uh...you know..." AJ made circles in the air with his hands, "...give her control.  Put her on top, and let her decide how much, how far, if at all.  Then she has to make the move, not just accept passively what someone does to her."

Nick nodded.  It made sense, sort of.


******************************

Nick took her out to dinner that night.  They went to Antonio's.  Antonio loved Nick.  Here was a man who appreciated his cooking.  Antonio kept trying to press more food on them.  No, no, they said finally.  Enough.  We have to go.  Nick took out his credit card.  Grace excused herself to go to the ladies room. 

"I think you are good for our Grace," said Antonio, handing Nick the receipt to sign.

"I am trying to be," said Nick seriously, picking up the pen and signing his name.

"I didn't like the other one," said Antonio.  "He thought he owned her."

"No one owns Grace," said Nick.  Antonio nodded in agreement.

"What about Grace?" she said as she returned to the table.

"Oh nothing," said Nick, standing.  "Antonio was just saying how your appetite for pizza is putting his kids through college."

"Yes, yes," said Antonio.  "Every day when Petey comes in, he wants to know, 'Did Grace call?  Is there pizza for Grace?'"

They all laughed and Nick and Grace made their way out of the restaurant.  They walked back to her place holding hands.  When they got to the door, she hesitated, but he opened the door and ushered her through.  He took her hand and walked straight to the elevator.  He waved to Gary and pushed the 'Up' button. 

When they got inside the elevator, Grace waited for him to do or say something.  But he didn't, just hummed a little tune under his breath and held her hand.  When they entered the apartment, he dropped his jacket on the back of the couch and stood looking at her.  She wandered over to the computer and clicked a few buttons.  Then she turned back to him.  Nick hadn't moved from his position just inside the door.

"Did the world end?" he asked, motioning to the computer.

"No," replied Grace, moving toward him.  He held out his arms.  She stepped into them and he kissed her, long and slow and deep.  She moaned deep in her throat and moved against him.  He placed his hands on her hips and pulled her to him.  She could feel his quickening response.  She was determined not to move back.  She knew this man was not a threat to her.  He broke the kiss and took her by the hand, leading her back to the bedroom.

"Remember, Grace," he whispered huskily.  "What you want and no more." 

Grace nodded and disappeared into the bathroom.  She avoided her eyes in the mirror.  She didn't know how long this could go on.  The more understanding Nick was, the more she hated herself.  She brushed her teeth and finally looked at herself.  Crazy Grace, she said to herself.  Can't even make love with the guy you love.  Couldn't with Matt, can't with...Didn't love Matt, came a thought shooting out the back of her head.  She sat down on the edge of the bathtub and played with the thought.

Grace came back out a few minutes later wearing a short bathrobe.  She saw that Nick was already in bed.  He had the pillows propped up behind him and was leaning back against them.  He was in the middle of the bed.  The sheet was pulled up to his waist.  He looked very sexy.  Grace turned off the bedside light, took off the robe and slipped in beside him.  She moved to lay down with her head on his chest.

“Uh, uh,” murmured Nick.  “Come here.”  And he pulled her by the hips until she was sitting astride him.  He leaned back and grinned.  “I’m feeling lazy tonight.”  He put his hands behind his head.  “You make love to me.”

Grace looked at him for a moment and then rose up on her knees toward him.  She ran her fingers lightly over his face and through his hair.  She took a long time.  She leaned forward and kissed his forehead and his eyes and his cheeks.  They were simple gestures, but powerfully erotic and Nick began to respond physically.  But he kept perfectly still.  Finally, she placed her mouth over his.  It took all his willpower not to open his mouth to her until he felt her tongue along his lips.  He took his hands from behind his head and gently stroked her face as they kissed. 

Grace moved her mouth away from him and kissed her way down his throat to his collarbone.  Her hands drifted over his chest, tracing thrilling little lines with her fingernails.  He moaned as her lips moved further down and her teeth teased his nipple.  As she moved her head down, her hips rose.  She reached beneath her and pulled the sheet down away from him.  She reached down and wrapped her hand around him.  He bit his lip and remained still.  She lowered herself so that she was sitting along the length of his shaft.  He could feel her wetness and it turned him on even more. She slid back and forth along him.  Nick willed himself to be strong.  He reached for her, moving his fingers down her neck, fondling her breasts. 

Suddenly, Grace stopped moving.  Nick looked up at her face, but could not read her eyes.  She took both his hands in hers and placed them on his stomach.  She held them down and raised herself up. She leaned her head back and closed her eyes.  Nick held his breath.  Slowly, Grace lowered herself until the tip of his penis was at her opening.  She hesitated.  Nick told himself not to move.  It had to be her.  She hovered there for a moment and then slowly, ever so slowly, she lowered herself around him.  Her wetness enveloped him.  Nick's instinct was to thrust upward but he fought against it. 

It seemed to take forever for her to sink completely down upon him.  Then she became still.  Her head tipped back, tilted slightly to one side.  Her eyes remained closed.  Her mouth was partly open and she was breathing heavily.  Nick wasn't breathing at all.  This was a major step.  If this was all she could do, it was still a huge advance for her.  He waited, watching her face closely. 

Suddenly, he felt her muscles contract around him.  He moaned.  He couldn't help it. It was an overpowering sensation.  Grace leaned slightly forward balancing her weight on her knees and her hands, which were still holding his firmly against his stomach.  She tipped her head back again and continuing squeezing her muscles around him.  Then she started moving up off him.  When she had almost left him, she stopped and then sank back down.  Nick made a sound in his throat that was not quite human.

Grace leaned forward and opened her eyes.  She looked at Nick and nodded so slightly he wasn’t sure he hadn’t imagined it.  She nodded again and he raised his hips, moving with her.  She leaned her head back and closed her eyes again.  They built a rhythm together and it came to the boiling point.  Nick was concentrating so hard on not finishing that it took him awhile to realize that that was what Grace wanted.  She wanted him to be satisfied.  So he leaned his head back on the pillows and gave himself up to it.  He thrust upward – once, twice, three times.  Each time, she ground down around him. Then he came inside her, his juices pouring forth.  She pressed her hips down and contracted her muscles over and over.  He opened his eyes to see her looking at him, but he wasn’t really sure she saw him. 

Grace started to tremble.  Nick could feel it in her hands.  He took his hands out from under hers and placed them at her waist to steady her.  He reached one hand down to stroke her to the point of madness he was at, then realized that it wasn’t necessary.  She was there.  She leaned her head back and looked at the ceiling.  The moan started low in her throat and came out of her sounding half like anguish and half like ecstasy.

Nick held her quivering body until the spasms stopped.  Slowly, Grace came back to earth.  She looked down at him and gave a tremulous smile.  She traced the outline of his jaw with one finger and then ran it across his lips.  Nick opened his mouth and pulled her finger in, sucking on it lightly.  Grace leaned forward and replaced it with her mouth.  They kissed for a long time.  Then she raised her hips slightly and he slipped out of her.  He held her hips as she moved off him.  When she was beside him, she laid her head on his chest, tracing lazy patterns over his stomach with her fingernails.

They had not spoken one intelligible word since Nick had said, "You make love to me."  But they had said everything in the world to each other.
Chapter 33 by old_archive
Friday - Two weeks later
"Style and Grace.  Good morning."
"Good morning?  You'd better take another look at the clock."
"Hey, Nick."  She looked at the clock.  It said 3:28.  "Oh!  I guess I lost track of time."
"You work too hard," he said.  "That was the third time this week you've said that to me."
"Well, I'm 25 now.  Into my second quarter-century.  The mind is starting to go, I guess."  She laughed.
"Yeah, I'm checking into retirement homes for you.  You answered pretty quickly though, so you can't have been too absorbed in your work."  There were times when the phone would ring five or six times and the answering greeting would be, mmmm?  He knew at those times that she had only answered the phone to shut it up.
"Well, I've got my new headset on that somebody pretty special bought for me.  Did I thank you for that?" she asked in a sexy voice.
"Yes, fifty times.  But if you want to thank me again, you can wear it the next time we...uh..."
"Mess around?"
"Yeah, that's it."
"Why, you horny toad.  You libidinous amphibian.  You..."
"Okay, Suzie Vocabulary.  I got it."  They both laughed.
She couldn't believe how comfortable she was with him now, laughing and joking about sex, without the knot starting in her stomach.  The knowledge that love made all the difference seemed so simple now, but at the time had been a huge revelation.  It had been an incredible two weeks. 
After the first amazing round of lovemaking, where she allowed herself to be penetrated by a man with love in his heart, not lust or disgust or a desire for power over her, she had found a measure of peace.  Nick had been the mature one in the relationship, insisting that they go slowly.  The second time they had made love that night, he had made the advances, but he had not moved into her until he was sure that what was she wanted.  She had shown him that it was by grabbing his hips and pulling him into her. 
They were two people obviously in love.  When they went out, they held hands all the time.  People thought it was cute; they didn't realize it was lost time being made up for five weeks of crutches.  At parties or outings, even when they were circulating and talking to other people, they would look at each other across a room and smile.  They were constantly touching each other.  He would drop a kiss on her cheek as he went by or she would give him a little scratch on the back.  It made people smile.  It made AJ want to puke.  Earlier that week, they had all been at his house for dinner. 
"Ah Jeez, they're at it again," he announced, coming into the living room with Sarah.  They were both carrying trays of food.  They had just passed Nick and Grace kissing in the hall.  "Could somebody throw a bucket of water on them, or something?"
"Leave them alone," said Brian.  "Don't you remember this stage, Bone?"  He reached over and took Leighanne's hand.  She smiled up at him and he leaned down and kissed her.
"Aw crap, now they're at it."  He looked over to where Kevin was sitting with his arm draped around his wife.  "Are you two going to start?"
Kevin considered it for a minute, "Might."  He squeezed Kristen's shoulder.  "Just might."
"Cut the bull, Alexander James McLean," said Sarah, setting down her platter of appetizers.  "You're the biggest romantic in the place.  You want me to tell a few stories to prove it."
AJ blushed and stammered, "No, that's okay.  It's just...you know...Howie and Janine...when they get here...you know...Aw crap."
"I think they're wonderful together," said Leighanne.
"Yeah, and Kevin didn't wreck it," said the green-eyed leader of the Backstreet pack.
"Kevin didn't wreck what?" asked Nick, coming into the room with Grace.  They were holding hands. 
"Well, I don't know how people got this impression," drawled Kevin in response, "but some people seem to feel that I was a little too...shall we say...particular...about your choice of ladies."
"Particular," scoffed Brian.  "Try impossible."
"Stubborn," threw in Leighanne.
"Pig-headed," added Kristen.
"Hey, you're supposed to be on my side," Kevin said to his wife, giving her a friendly little punch on the shoulder.  Then he continued.  "But I said all along that my Li'l Bro would eventually find someone good."  He smiled at Grace.  "And I was right."
Grace smiled at the memory.  She knew how much the Kevin seal of approval meant to Nick.
                                                                      ******************************
"Hey, are you still there?"  Nick's voice brought her back to the present.
"Yes, I am.  Are you calling me with good news or bad news?"  He was supposed to be taking her to dinner tonight.
"Good news.  Howie and Janine are going to join us.  Okay?"
"That's great."
"Yeah, and then we're going to go to a club after.  Did you get enough work done today?" 
"Yes, I did.  I can dance all night."
"Good girl.  You're doing your exercises like you're supposed to, right?"
"Yes, boss.  I am.  And I've been going...oh shit...I've got physiotherapy in 20 minutes.  Gotta go."
"I'll pick you up at 8:00," he said and they rang off.

                                                                      ******************************
When he arrived later, the computer was off and Grace was ready.  He smiled at that.  During one of their 'Matt talks', she had told him how bad she had been about that with Matt.  He frowned when he remembered how Matt paid her back for such treatment.
"How was physio?" he asked.
"Good," she said.  "I won't have to go much longer.  And look at the height of these babies!" she added, motioning to her shoes.
He touched the gold chain around her neck.  "You're not wearing the dolphin," he said.
"I put it down somewhere today," she said, "and I can't find it.  I know it's here.  I took it off to shower this morning."
"Scatterbrained Grace," he laughed.  "Are you coming down to my level?"
"Any time, any place," she leered.
                                                                      ******************************
They ate and talked and danced and had a wonderful time.  They took a cab and came back to Grace's.  They waved to Jermaine on their way through to the elevator.  Upstairs, Nick called dibs on the bathroom.  When he came out, he found Grace standing by her dresser.  She was as white as a sheet.
"Grace, what is it?  What's wrong?"
She turned to him and came back from wherever she was.  "Nothing," she said.  She held up the gold chain.  The tiny dolphin danced in the light.  "I told you I'd find it.  It was right here all along.  I don't know how I missed it.  My turn?"
She moved past him into the bathroom.  She sat down on the edge of the tub and put her head between her knees.  She knew that chain had not been there earlier.  She had searched that spot fifty times.  It had not been there.  Two choices Grace, she said to herself, you're crazy or somebody has been in here.  She didn't know which of the two was the more frightening choice.
Chapter 34 by old_archive
Tuesday

“Hello.”  Nick flipped open his cell and looked at the screen.  He didn’t recognize the phone number.

"Nick?  Nick Carter?"

"Who's calling?"  Nick never identified himself until he knew who was on the other end of the line.

"It's Matt Lowry, Grace's...friend."

"What do you want?" asked Nick.  He couldn't believe the balls on the guy, phoning him up like this.  And where did Matt get the number?

"Well, two things really," responded Matt.  "I just wanted to ask you how Grace was doing..."

Nick cut him off.  "She's fine, just fine.  She got the cast off."

"That's good," said Matt, calmly  "That will help her...keep control."  Matt didn't seem to know how to finish the sentence.

"I told you, she's fine.  She does physiotherapy twice a week."  Nick  hated it that he was giving information to this creep.  He reached to disconnect.

Matt spoke again.  "And I just wanted to see if you had any questions, anything you need to know about Grace's...er...problems."

"The only problems Grace had were caused by you as far as I can see," said Nick angrily.  Who did this bozo think he was?

"Look, Mr. Carter...Nick...I know you don't like me.  I can't blame you for that.  I didn't acquit myself very well at our last meeting."

Nick didn't really know what Matt meant.  He thought maybe Matt was apologizing for being an asshole, but he wasn't sure.

"...but I want to assure you that I am only interested in her welfare." 

"She's fine," said Nick.  “Goodbye.”

“So…no blackouts?”

Nick’s hand froze over the End button.  “Blackouts?  What the hell are you talking about?”

"Well," said Matt, "does she say things like - the time got away from her, or she lost track of the time, seem to have periods of time unaccounted for?"

"No, nothing like that," lied Nick.

“Good, good.”  Matt paused for a moment and then continued, “What about absentmindedness?”

"What do you mean?" asked Nick cautiously.

"Well, losing things and then finding them again, being late, forgetting to do things..."

"No," Nick lied again.  "I'm telling you she's fine."

"Good, good," said Matt again.  "It sounds like she might really be on the road to recovery this time."

This time?  What the hell did that mean?

"Well, considering what happened to her, I think she's coping pretty well," said Nick slowly.

"Oh, no," said Matt, "She hasn't gone back to telling that story, has she?"

"What story?" Nick wasn't following.

"The story that she was...um...assaulted at college."

"What do you mean 'story'?" asked Nick.  Icy fingers of doubt began creeping up his spine.

“Don’t get me wrong, Nick,” said Matt, reassuringly.  “I’m sure something happened to Grace to make her leave college, but that wasn’t it.”

"How do you know?"

"Because I checked.  When she first told me the story, I was so angry I wanted to kill the bastard, and I tried to track him down through the university, but they had no record of anyone by that name."

"What about the other two?"

"What other two?"

Nick's blood ran cold.  "Um, so what happened to her then?"

Matt sighed.  "I'm not sure.  She wouldn't tell me.  I don't think it was one event.  I think maybe school just got too hard for her and she couldn't cope, so she cracked up."

Nick winced at the term.  This made no sense to him.  It didn't match Grace's story at all.  But somehow, Matt didn't sound like he was lying.  Except...

"If she wasn't, you know, assaulted, why was she so afraid of, well, sex?"

"Grace?  Afraid of sex?"  Matt exploded in laughter.  "Are you kidding me?  I never saw anyone so willing..."  He stopped abruptly.  "But I don't feel comfortable discussing Grace's intimate life," he continued in a more serious voice.  "I just wanted to make sure she was all right and that there was no danger."

"Danger of what?"  Nick's head was spinning.

"Well, of a breakdown, some sort of episode.  You're a public figure, Mr. Carter.  I would hate to see you embarrassed by anything like that.  But if you're aware of it, and you say she's fine, then that's great.  I'll let you go.  Feel free to call me if you have any questions."

Matt rang off.  He leaned back in the bed and smiled in satisfaction.  Now, you little pop star prick, he thought, let's see if you're as dumb as I think you are.

"What did you do that for?" asked Janice.  "I thought you said you were over Grace."

"I am, Baby, I am.  But you know, I still have a soft spot for her and I don't think this guy is right for her.  That was just a little test.  Come here, you."

******************************

Nick sat with the phone in his hand for a long time, mulling over the conversation with Matt.  He didn’t know what to believe.  Well, of course, he knew what to believe.  He believed Grace.  But what was the purpose of Matt’s call?  He had to figure Nick would tell her about it and then she would never have anything to do with Matt again.  He had sounded sincere and well-meaning but it had to be a pack of lies.  It had to.  All Nick had to do was ask Grace.

Oh yeah, that would work.  Excuse me, Grace, I was discussing you with your ex-fiancé and he says your story is bullshit, so would you mind proving you were raped?

But what about the other stuff?  Losing track of time, misplacing stuff?  That was sure true.  Nick couldn’t count the number of times that had happened in the past few weeks.  Nick wasn’t sure why he’d lied about that to Matt.  He got up and began pacing the floor, trying to figure it out.

Maybe Matt really was just trying to help.  And he seemed to know the symptoms.  The word ‘symptoms’ stopped Nick’s train of thought.  No way, he told himself.  Grace is not…well, whatever Matt seemed to think she was.  So what if she’s a little absent-minded.  She’s very busy with her work these days.  And of course, Matt would know about that.  He was engaged to her, for God’s sake!  He would know her little habits.

Nick puzzled over Matt’s motivation in making the phone call.  And he tried to figure out what, if anything he should say to Grace about it.  He sat down again and put his head in his hands.  Man, this relationship stuff was hard work.


******************************

"Man, this relationship stuff is hard work."

Nick finally went to Kevin.  He didn't know what else to do.  He couldn't talk to Grace about it.  He laid the whole thing out for Kevin and then stood back.  He felt guilty because he had now shared Grace's secret with two people, but he really wanted to hold this together.

Kevin listened to it all.  Then he let out a sigh.  "Well now, let's take a look at this.  Do you believe Grace or Matt?"

"Grace."

"Why?"

"Because I love Grace and Matt's an asshole."

"And there you go.  Dang, that was easy.  Want a beer?"   Kevin stood up.

'Wait a minute.  Wait a minute.  That's it?  That's all?"

"Yep, that's it."

"But why would he call me?  Why would he say those things?"

"Because he's an... "  Kevin made a hand motion, inviting Nick to fill in the blank.  Nick looked confused.

"Look," said Kevin.  "Grace Barrett is one of the sanest people I've ever met.  And considering what you've told me about what she's been through, I'd say this Matt creep is the lunatic, not her.  He's just trying to break you up, to drive a wedge between you.  If he can't have her, neither can anyone else.  That kind of crap."  He looked at Nick.  "He's planting seeds of doubt in your mind, hoping you'll say something to her and start a fight or whatever.  You're not going to let him do it, are you?"

"“No, I’m not.  But I don’t get it.  He’s with this other girl, now.  This Janice.  Why would he do this?”

Kevin sighed.  "Because he's an..."

"Got it," laughed Nick.  "Okay, where's the beer?"

"I'll get it.  It's good you came by.  We have to talk about the MWC dinner thing next week.  Kris doesn't want to go."


******************************


"Kris doesn't want to go," Nick explained to Grace.  "She has this other thing she wants to do.  And she says there's a limit to how much mediocre banquet food she's willing to eat on Kevin's behalf."

Grace listened and nodded.  Nick had invited her to join him at the combination awards/fundraising banquet for Musicians Who Care, a group of entertainment people who were getting heavily involved in environmental issues.  Because of Kevin's JWR and Nick's Oceans Campaign, they had been asked to present one of the awards. 

"It's not a big deal like the Grammys or the MTV awards.  There aren't any parties.  It's not even going to be on TV, except for clips.  But we bought the tickets.  Like I said, it's a fundraiser.  So do you still want to go if Kris isn't?  And who will we get for the fourth ticket?"

"I have a better idea," said Grace.  "Want to be a hero?"
Chapter 35 by old_archive
Friday

Grace made her way into the building, shaking the rain from her hair.  The thunderstorm had come up so quickly.  She hadn’t even had an umbrella with her.  She passed by the desk and was surprised to find it empty.  Usually, when the guard got called away, he left a little post-it note to say which apartment he was in or that he’d be right back.

Grace shrugged and made her way to the elevator.  The lights flickered off and on.  Grace paused with her finger over the button.  Maybe she’d better not use the elevator if the power was going to go off.  She turned to the stairs. 

Grace came out of the stairwell on her floor and headed for the apartment.  She limped slightly.  Her ankle hadn’t enjoyed the four flights of stairs.  The lights flickered again as she passed the elevator.  She reached out and pushed the button, just to satisfy herself whether or not she would have made it.  The light came on for a second and then disappeared.  Her heart leapt into her throat when the elevator doors opened.  She looked around.  Someone had left the elevator at this floor.  She wondered who it could be.

Just then the lights went out.  Grace stifled a scream, clapping her hand over her mouth.  She felt her way up the hall and fumbled for her keys.  Just as she was getting the right key into the lock, the backup power for the building kicked in and the emergency lights came on, casting a faint yellow light.  It was enough for her to see the lock.  She went into the apartment and closed the door. 

Grace felt for the hooks on the wall behind the door.  She didn’t like to hang up a coat that was wet, but she figured it would be fine until the power came back on.  Grace looked over at her windows.  It was so eerie.  Usually, there was light shining in there.  She felt her way over and looked out.  The whole neighborhood was dark.  Lightning must have hit a transformer. The rain lashed against the windows.  She turned and started to feel her way back across the room.  Suddenly she froze.

Someone was in here.  She could feel it.  She was not losing her mind.  Someone was here.

“Hello,” she said tentatively.  Her throat was so tight that the sound could not get out.  “Is somebody there?” she tried again.  A hoarse whisper was all she could manage.  She moved toward the door.

Lightning flashed in the windows behind her.  Before her, she could make out a shadow, a man coming toward her.

“It’s me, Grace.  It’s Gary.”

“What are you doing here?” she asked, backing away.  Why was Gary in her apartment…in the dark…waiting for her?  Grace’s legs bumped into a sofa.  She tried to edge sideways around it.  She gauged the distance between herself and the door.  Dammit!  She had locked it behind her.  She mentally added three seconds to the time she would need.

Gary kept coming toward her and reached out a hand.  “It’s okay.  There’s nothing to worry about.  I won’t hurt you.”  His voice was soothing, placating.

“Don’t come any closer,” she said.  “Please, Gary, don’t.”  Was it Gary, then, who’d been getting into her apartment?  But why?

“You don’t understand, Grace.  I need to be here.  I have to do this.”

“What, Gary?  What do you have to do?”  Grace started to shiver.  She ran her fingers through her wet hair and shook her head.  Water droplets fell on her shoulders.  Grace took another step away from Gary.

“I have to protect you.  That’s my job.  To protect you.”  He was almost there.  Grace moved behind the sofa so that it was between them.  If she could get him to come around the end, she could outrun him to the door, she thought.

But he read her mind.  “Don’t try and run, Grace.  I can’t protect you that way.  You have to stay here with me.”  His voice was low and reasonable, as if he were dealing with a child, or an incompetent.

“Did you watch my window from beside the bakery, Gary?” she asked.  She had broken out in the cold sweat of fear.  Her legs were shaking.  She knew she had to make a break soon before panic overtook her and froze her to the spot.

“Yes, I did.  I kept watch over you.  That’s my job.  But I’m here now and everything will be fine.  Come and sit down, Grace.”

"No, I don't want to, Gary."  She tried to sound reasonable too.  "I'm not liking the dark.  I think I want to open the door so the light from the hall can come in."  She edged another step around the couch.

"No, you don't want to do that, Grace.  If you do that that, he might get in.  It's better if we keep the door locked."

Grace wasn't sure she had heard correctly.  "Who might get in, Gary?"

The answer was a strangled cry.  Lightning flashed and Grace saw Gary’s face.  He looked surprised.  He reached his hand toward her.  Then his eyes glazed over and he fell forward.  Grace was frozen.  A crack of thunder shook the building and the flash of lightning showed her Gary’s body lying sprawled over the couch and coffee table.  Something was sticking out of his back.  Grace looked up.

“Hi, Baby!”

Matt. 

Grace screamed and screamed.  But she couldn’t move.  Matt stepped over Gary’s body and came to her.

“Stop screaming,” he yelled at her.  “No one can hear you.  Stop it.”

But she couldn’t stop.  Matt reared back his hand and slapped her hard.  Grace’s head flew back, but she stopped screaming.

“Remember, Baby, these places are soundproofed.  Remember what a great feature you thought that was.”  Matt grabbed her by the arm and dragged her over to an armchair.  Grace stumbled but Matt didn’t slow down.  He gripped her hard and pushed her down into the chair.

Grace tried to make her brain function, tried to get control of herself.  Breathe, she told herself.  Start there.  Breathe. 

“What do you want, Matt?” she whispered.  Breathe, breathe.

“What do I want?  Funny, you should ask that now.  That never seemed to be a priority for you before.”  Matt spoke in a calm manner, as if they were merely having a pleasant conversation over coffee. 

Lightning flashed again and Grace saw his eyes.  He’s insane, she thought.  He’s going to kill me.
Matt saw the fear in her eyes and he grinned at her.  He’s loving this, thought Grace.  What am I going to do?  What should I do?  Grace tried to push down the panic that was welling up inside her.  Breathe.  Breathe. 

Matt moved away from her. Grace strained her ears to listen.   She could hear him move around behind her.

“No, Grace only did what Grace wanted,” continued Matt in his pleasant tone.  “If Grace didn’t want to talk, Grace didn’t talk.  If Grace didn’t want to fuck, Grace didn’t fuck.  Of course, eventually, Grace did both, didn’t she?”  He placed his hand on her shoulder.

Grace twitched but said nothing. 

Matt screamed at her.  “Didn’t she?” 

Grace jumped.  She nodded her head.  “Yes,” she whispered.

“And did Grace fuck the blond guy?”  Matt’s hand tightened on her shoulder.

Omigod, Nick. 

“Well, did she?” yelled Matt.  He grabbed Grace by the hair and pulled her head back.  She tensed, waiting for a knife to slash across her throat, but it never came.  “Did she?!!?”

“Yes,” she whimpered.

Matt let go of her hair and moved away.  His voice became coaxing, wheedling, like a child’s.  “And is he good?  Does he make you come?  Or do you freeze up like winter for him too?” 

Grace did not know the right way to answer this.  What would make Matt angrier – to know that Nick could do what Matt couldn’t or to know that she had not got anything out of throwing him over?   Grace decided to say nothing. 

“I’ll bet he does.  I’ll bet he pokes away at you and you just cream.” 

Grace felt something cold on her cheek.  She jumped.

“Oh, careful now, Grace.  You better watch out.  You might cut yourself.”  He ran the flat side of the blade down her cheek.

“Matt, please…”

He kept moving around.  She tried to follow his movements by following the sound of his voice.

“’Please’ what?  ‘Please’ what, Grace?”  The conversational tone was back.  “Please forgive me, Matt?  Please come back to me, Matt?  Please don’t kill me, Matt?”

“Are you going to kill me, Matt?” she asked.  She knew he was and a calm acceptance of the fact came over her.  He was going to kill her, but she was not going to give him any joy in it.  She wouldn’t fight him.

“Not first,” he answered. 

Grace was chilled to the bone.  No, she said inside her head, no, no, no.

Matt put his lips right at her ear.  He ran the point of the knife lightly down her neck.  “First, you get to watch me kill your little blond boyfriend.” 

Nooooooooooooo!

“Sorry, Matt,” whispered Grace.  “You are going to have to be content with killing me.  You can’t get to Nick.”

“I don’t have to get to him, you idiot,” he said, pinching her hard on the arm.  “He’s going to come to me.  Or should I say, he’s going to come to you.”  He pulled her hair back, twisting it in his hand so that her neck was totally exposed.  He moved the flat side of the knife back and forth across her throat.

He’s like the schoolyard bully, thought Grace.  Well, you stand up to bullies.  They’re cowards.  You stand up to them.

Grace laughed.  She didn’t know how she managed it.  She found some reserve of strength somewhere and she drained it.  She laughed.

“Well, Matt, they say timing is everything.  And yours sucks!”  Grace froze, waiting.  Buy it, she prayed, buy it.

“What do you mean, Grace?”  Matt moved back in front of her.

“We broke up.  We’re not together anymore.”  Please, God, let him believe it.  Please, God, make me the best liar in the world.

“Nice try, Grace,” he said, and she felt his hand on her breast. 

Grace twitched and tried to stifle the grunt of panic that rose in her throat.

“It’s true,” she said.  “He’s at a big benefit show right now, and you don’t see me there, do you?” She tried to make her voice sound bitter.

"That's right," said Matt.  "He's at the Musicians that Care thing, isn't he?  See Grace, I know what he's doing.  I have kept my eye on him too."  His hand fiddled with the buttons on her blouse

"Well, then you know that what I'm saying is true.  We broke up."

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why did you break up?  Don't try my patience, Grace.  Take off your blouse.  I can't manage it with one hand.  And you wouldn't want me to set this down, would you?" He laid the blade against her throat.

Grace sat forward in the chair and, with trembling fingers, she undid the buttons on her blouse. She did it as slowly as she could.  She needed time to think.  What would he believe?  That Nick got tired of her?  That he found someone else?  Someone younger?  That might work.  She took off her blouse and set it on the side of the chair.

Matt moved behind the chair again.  “I’ve been following your little romance on the Internet.  Yes, Grace.  I do know how to use the Internet.  You’re not the only one that can push a button.  I can do email too.”  He leaned down and whispered into her ear, “you fucking slut”.

A strangled sob escaped her.  “That was you?”

“Yeah, Baby.  That was me.  I’ve been everywhere in your life.  Even rearranging your fucking flowers.”

I’m not crazy.  The thought whirled through Grace’s mind.  It gave her small comfort.  Sane and dead.  Crazy and dead.  Still dead.  She tried to focus her mind.  She couldn’t sell him the story about a new girlfriend if he had been watching fan sites.  She needed time to think.

“Do you want me to take off my bra too?” she asked.  Her head snapped back as Matt slapped her.

“Don’t act like a whore, Grace.  It doesn’t become you.”

“I’m sorry,” she whimpered.  “I’m trying not to make you angry.”

“Then you shouldn’t be fucking someone else,” he screamed in her face.

“I’m not,” Grace screamed back at him.  “I told you we broke up.”

“Ah yes, so you said,” said Matt, calmly.  “But you still haven’t told me why.”

“They made him.”  Where did that come from? she wondered.  “The group.  Kevin.”

“Who the fuck is Kevin?  The tattooed guy?”

“No, that’s AJ.  Kevin is the oldest one; he’s the leader of the group.  He makes all the decisions for the group.”

“Good thing,” said Matt.  “They wouldn’t get far with that dumb blond prick in charge.”   He paused.  “I changed my mind.”

Grace waited.

“Take off your bra.”

Suddenly, the lights came back on.
Chapter 36 by old_archive
“Hey, Nick.  Mr. Carter.” 

Nick turned at the sound of his name.  Before him stood two overdressed teenagers.  “Hey, Petey,” he said, “you’re looking sharp.”

Petey blushed.  He fingered his tie nervously.  He hadn’t wanted to wear a suit, but his mother insisted.  He couldn’t wait to tell her that he was one of the few in the room.  Nick was wearing dressy pants and a silk shirt, but no jacket…and no tie! 

A cough from his right brought Petey back to the present.  “Um…Nick…I would like you to meet my girl…I mean my date…Tammy Colevito.  Tammy, this is Nick Carter.”

Tammy was frozen.  No brain function.  No sensory or motor skills.  Nick Carter.  Omigod!  They would not believe this at school.  And he was holding out his hand to her.

“Pleased to meet you, Tammy.”  Nick shook her hand.  “And this is my…well, my brother…Kevin Richardson.”

Tammy looked up at the green eyes.  Omigod.  Nick and Kevin.  Two Backstreet Boys.  Please don’t let me wet my pants, she prayed.

“Hi there, Tammy,” said Kevin, shaking her hand.  He held it for a moment, trying to will calmness into the shaking teenager. 

Petey mentally rolled his eyes.  Yeah, good move, Petey.  She’s not even going to know you’re alive now that she’s seen these two.  He cleared his throat.  “Um…I just wanted to thank you for the tickets.  It was sure nice of you to give them to us.”

“No problem,” said Nick.  “Thank Grace.  It was her idea.  Well, I gotta get backstage.  Nice to meet you, Tammy.” 

Tammy nodded, but said nothing.  She was incapable of speech.  Nick winked at Petey and then moved off.

“Oh, Nick...”  Petey called him back.  “One more thing.  When you see Grace, tell her I didn’t see anyone watching her building today.”

“Okay,” said Nick.  What was this?  Was Petey the Neighborhood Watch guy or something?

“But I did see that car twice – the black one, her ex-fiancé.”

“Matt?”  What was Matt doing at Grace’s building?

"Yeah, that's the guy.  I saw his car twice.  Tell Grace." 

“Okay,” said Nick.  “I will.  But…”

“Come on,” said Kevin.  “We’re up next.

Nick followed Kevin backstage.  They were presenting one of the awards tonight.  Backstage, they were told it would be another ten minutes.  Nick puzzled over what Petey had said.  He pulled out his phone and moved to a quiet corner. 

“Come on, Nick.  We don’t have time for that now.”  Kevin looked at his watch.

Nick waved him off.  “I have to call Grace…make sure she’s okay.”

Kevin moved over to him.  “Why wouldn’t she be okay?”

“Something Petey said.”  Nick shushed him.  The phone was ringing.

******************************

The ringing of the phone startled them both.  It happened at the same time the lights came back on. Grace thought it was an electrical thing, until it rang again.  Matt’s eyes turned in the direction of the phone and Grace made a break for the door.

But she didn’t get far.  Matt grabbed her by the arm and threw her against a pillar.  It knocked the wind out of her and she slid to the floor, gasping for breath.  Matt grabbed the headset off her desk and threw it at her.  “Put it on,” he screamed.  He went over and hit the talk button on the console.  Then he came back and knelt in front of her, placing the point of the knife on her left breast over her heart.

“Hello,” she whispered into the phone. 

“Hey there.  You took a long time to answer,” said Nick.

“Who is it?” hissed Matt.  “Is it him?”  Grace shook her head.

“Yes, I’m wearing the headset and working,” she said.

“Oh, okay.”  Something didn’t sound right about that to Nick, but Kevin was tugging on his arm and it was hard to hear.  Applause could be heard in the background. 

“I just called to see if you were alright,” said Nick.  “I talked…”

“Yeah, I’m fine,” she said.  “Petey just delivered a pizza, so I’m set for the night.”

“Petey? But..”

“Gene, listen to me.  I have to go.  Say ‘hi’ to your brother.  Get him to tell you what I said to him when he brought me home from the hospital.  It’s really funny.  Bye.”  She took the headset off and threw it across the room.

“One of your computer geek friends, Grace?” said Matt hitting the Disconnect button on the console.  Grace blessed the fact that she didn’t have a speakerphone.  She nodded slowly.


******************************


Nick looked at the phone with a puzzled expression.  Something wasn't right.  Why had she called him Gene?  And her breathing sounded funny.

"Hey, Kev.  What did Grace say to you the day you brought her home from the hospital?"

"I don't know.  We talked about a lot of stuff.  Why?" 

Nick filled him in on what Petey had said, and how weird Grace had sounded on the phone.  "It took her a long time to answer, but she had her headset on.  She usually answers on the first ring.  And she called me Gene."

"You must have heard wrong.  Maybe she said 'sweetie' or something."  Kevin looked over at the floor director, who waved at him and held up one finger.

"No, we don't do that.  We never have for some reason."

"Come on," said Kevin, "They want us."  He touched Nick's elbow and moved him forward. 

Nick took two steps and stopped.  "And she said that Petey had just delivered a pizza.  But Petey's here."

"Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Kevin Richardson and Mr. Nick Carter of the Backstreet Boys."

They started out on stage.  Kevin will be pissed, thought Nick.  He told them to mention him in reference to JWR, not the group.  Nick looked back at him, but Kevin had stopped walking.  He was deep in thought, staring down at the floor.

Suddenly, he looked up.  "She said she would die before she would hurt you."  His green eyes bore into Nick's blue ones.

The audience was startled to see the two men turn and run from the stage.  One person in the audience stood up.  He had seen Nick mouth the word, "Grace" before he ran from the stage.  Petey grabbed Tammy by the hand.  "Let's go," he shouted and dragged her out of the ballroom.


******************************

"I guess you think you're pretty clever, don't you?" said Matt.  Grace looked up at him.  He punched *69 into the phone console and held it up for her to see.  "It's Nick's number, you stupid bitch."

"It can't be," said Grace.  "Cell phones don't show up..."  Her voice trailed off as she realized she had walked right into his trap.

Matt came slowly toward her.  "Trying to save the dumb little bastard's ass, are you Grace?"

"I will die before I let you hurt him."  Grace looked him straight in the eye.

"Well, you're going to do that anyway, aren't you Baby?"

She sighed.  "Yeah, I guess I am, Matt.  So why don't you go ahead and get it over with?"

"Not yet," he said, grabbing her by the hair and pulling her to her feet.  He pushed her in the direction of her computer.  "Turn it on," he said.  He pushed her into the chair.

She booted it up.  Could she use the computer somehow, she wondered?  Yeah, right, email for help.  That would work.

"Open your email," said Matt.  Grace wondered if he had read her mind.

She clicked on Outlook. 

"Show me the messages I sent you," ordered Matt.

"I didn't save them," she answered.

Matt grabbed her by the hair and pulled her head back.  He took the knife and ran the point down her throat to the top of her bra.  It felt like a line of fire and she could smell blood.  Grace tried not to react but she couldn't stifle the moan.

"We can do it easy or we can do it hard, Baby," whispered Matt in her ear.

"See for yourself," said Grace, forcing the words out around the pain.

Matt looked at the monitor.  He clicked on Folders.  Oh, Christ.  She had so many fucking folders.

He turned back to her.  "Open them up, one by one.  For every one you open that doesn't have them in it, I'm going to cut you.  It's up to you how long it takes you to find them."

Grace took a deep breath.  How hard did she want to make this?  She didn't think Nick had picked up on what she had said.  That was good and that was bad.  It meant that he was safe, but it meant that there was no help on the way.  Was there any reason to let Matt torture her to gain time that might be pointless?  Because she knew there was no way she could talk him out of this.  He was going to kill her.

"Open them," Matt screamed at her. 

Grace had hesitated too long.  The knife burned down her throat.  With a shaking hand, she moved the mouse over her Inbox.  38 messages, 23 unread. 

"Scroll down," snarled Matt.  "No, don't open them.  I don't give a shit what people have to say to you."  He was looking for his address.  "There, that one.  Open it." 

Grace recognized the address.  She clicked it open.  "You're dead," it said, in big red letters.  Verdana Font. 36 point, the professional in her guessed.

"Delete it," he said.  Grace hit Delete.  The message disappeared.

"Good girl," he said soothingly.  "Now, pick another folder." 

Grace clicked on Sent Items because it was the next folder.  She realized her mistake immediately.

So did Matt.

"How fucking stupid do you think I am?" he screamed and drew the knife blade along her collarbone.  Grace screamed in pain.

"I'm sorry," she cried out.  "It's habit."

"Yeah, well you'd better think before you click.  Pick another one." 

Grace looked down at her chest.  It was covered in blood.  How long could she go on?  She looked at the clock.  It had been ten minutes since Nick had called.  Ten minutes that seemed like an eternity.


******************************


"What's taking so damned long?"  Nick yelled at Kevin.

"It's only been ten minutes," said Kevin.  "They're on their way."

Kevin and Nick had dashed from the stage and run full tilt into security.  Kevin grabbed the head guy and explained the situation as quickly as he could.  "Call the police," he said and gave them Grace's address.  "Get some help over there."

Then he had grabbed Nick by the arm and dragged him from the building.  On the sidewalk, he looked around.  "Hey, you," he yelled at the driver of a white, stretch limo.  "We need your car."

"Yeah, right," said the driver sarcastically, "It's life or death, right?"

Nick threw the man up against the car.  "That's right, Buddy.  It is.  Now are you driving or am I?"

"Get in," the driver said.  He ran around to the driver's side.

"Go!" yelled Kevin.

"Stop!" yelled Nick and threw open the door.  "Over here, Petey," he yelled and grabbed a startled Tammy, pulling her into the car.

Kevin gave the address to the limo driver and explained the situation.  The driver proceeded to drive like he was in the Indy 500, squealing around corners and going way, way over the speed limit.  The rain had stopped, but the streets were wet.  What the hell, he figured?  If the car got damaged, these guys could afford it, and if he could get them there in time, he might be a hero.

"Tell me what she said.  Everything."  Nick said to Petey. 

So Petey explained that Grace had asked him to keep an eye on the building whenever he was out delivering pizza.  She thought someone might be casing her place, maybe looking to steal her computer equipment.  Petey said that he did what she asked and any time he went by, he'd look to see if there was anyone suspicious around.  Especially around the bakery.

"Why the bakery?" asked Kevin. 

"You can see Grace's windows from right outside it," said Petey, blushing.  Nick wondered if maybe Petey had spent a little time there himself.

"And did you see anyone?" Tammy asked.  This was the best evening she'd ever had.  She'd never been in a limo before.

"I saw Gary a couple of times, you know the security guy from the building.  I asked him about it and he said not to tell Grace, but that he was watching out for her too.  I never saw that Matt guy, but like I told you, I saw his car twice today."

Gary.  Matt.  Nick had never liked the way Gary had looked at Grace, but, no, it was Matt.  He knew it was Matt.

"Is Grace going to be okay?"  Petey was afraid to ask the question but he was more afraid not to.

Nick looked at Kevin.  Kevin looked at Nick.  Nick wanted to answer Petey's question but he couldn't.

"How much longer?" he called to the driver instead.

"Ten minutes," yelled the driver, careening from one lane to the next, with his hand held firmly on the horn.

Kevin pulled out his phone and punched buttons.  He turned his head away from them and talked into it, one finger in his ear to keep out the other noise.  He disconnected and turned to Nick.  “That was Bernie,” he said, naming their agent.  “He’s going to get everybody together in one place.”

In case she’s dead, thought Nick.  We’d need to circle the Backstreet wagons, wouldn’t we?  Make sure that everyone’s story was the same and that nothing bad would reflect on the group.  Good ol’ Kev.  Always looking out for the group.  He looked over at Kevin and knew he couldn’t be more wrong. 

“For you,” said Kevin and Nick knew it was true.

“Get your hand off that horn,” Nick yelled to the driver, as he saw that they were getting close.  “And go past the building and turn down the first side street.” 

The driver complied.  As they drove past the building they could see two police cars arriving without sirens.  They pulled up in front of the building and uniformed officers got out.  The driver turned the limo into the side street and stopped with a screech of the tires.  Nick was out of the car and running before it came to a halt.  The others spilled out of the car.  Petey looked up at Grace’s windows.

"It's him," he said, pointing up to the man looking down at them.  "It's Matt."


******************************

Grace was running out of time and she knew it.  She had taken Matt's advice to click carefully.  She had chosen two folders that she knew had many messages in it.  He made her scroll carefully through them and then both times had kept his promise and had sliced another line across her skin.

"Do you think you can hold out long enough for me to spell my name, Baby?" he asked her.

"Why is it so important?" she asked. 

"I want those messages deleted," he said.  "Like you did that other one."

Gotcha, you sick bastard, thought Grace.  Matt seemed to think if you deleted a message, it went away.  She knew it went into the Deleted Items Folder and stayed there until the Folder was emptied.  She decided to take a chance.  She might still be dead, but they could catch him.  She clicked open the SFC folder.  There weren't very many messages in it.  Half of them were from Matt.

"Delete them," he said.  "No, not those others.  Leave those there.  Just delete mine." 

Grace carefully deleted each message.  Then she closed the program quickly before he noticed the Deleted Items Folder.  She looked sideways at him.  She could see the outline of his erection against his pants.  She stood up.

She heard a car honking, but then it stopped.  She had lost.  Now she just wanted it over.  She just wanted him to do it.

"Gonna fuck me before you kill me, Matt?" she asked pointing at his pants.

"Would you like me to do that, Grace?  Would you enjoy that?" he asked, a lascivious leer crossing his face.

"Haven't so far," she goaded.

"You fucking bitch," growled Matt, raising the knife.  He stopped as he heard a creech of tires.  He turned to look out the window.  He saw Nick leap from the car and run around the corner.

"Well, well, well," he said, "Looks like we're going to have company.  Blondie's here."

******************************

Nick raced past the police officers standing in the entrance to the building. 

"You can't go in there," said one of the cops, stepping in front of him.

"4B" yelled Nick, pushing past him.  "He's going to kill her!"  He took off for the stairs, taking them three at a time.  He ran down the hall and pounded on the door.  "Grace!" he screamed.  "Grace."

The police officer who had hurtled up the stairs behind him pushed him out of the way.  He kicked with all his might.  The door gave a little, but not much.  Nick moved to help him, and they both shouldered into the door.  The frame splintered and one final kick from the cop sent it flying open.  From inside the apartment they heard the sound of breaking glass and a horrible scream.


******************************

When Matt turned back from the window, Grace made her move.  She pushed the chair at him to throw him off balance and then she hit him.  He stopped, stunned and she hit him again.  He raised the knife and this time she really hit him.  The blow propelled him backward and he crashed against the windows.  He fell through and dropped four floors to the pavement below.

Grace stared at the windo trying to comprehend what had happened.  Then her knees couldn't hold her any longer and she sank to the floor.


******************************

Nick raced into the room.  "Grace!" he cried, "Grace!"  He looked around wildly.  He saw a body sprawled on the coffee table, a knife sticking out of its back.  But it wasn't Grace.   He heard a whimpering sound from the computer area.  He looked over.  "Oh my God," he said. 

Grace was slumped on the floor leaning against her desk.  She was covered in blood.  And clenched tightly in her hands was her precious Louisville Slugger.
Chapter 37 by old_archive
Nick was the first to get to Grace.  The policeman told him to stay back while he checked the area but Nick ignored him.  He moved straight to the desk and knelt beside her.  “Grace?” he murmured, his tone imploring her to answer.  He took her chin gently in his hand.  “Grace?” he said again.

Grace was covered in blood.  There were cuts all over her chest.  She looked up at him and smiled a tiny little smile that barely grazed her lips.  “Nick,” she whispered.  And then something else.  He couldn’t make it out.  And then her eyes closed.  And her head slipped sideways.

“Grace?”  This time, Nick said it louder and there was panic in his voice. 

It was time for the professionals to take over.  The cop pushed Nick out of the way.  “Get an ambulance,” he shouted.  Then he hit a button on his flak vest and started relaying information to someone.

More cops arrived and Nick’s attempts to get back to Grace were greeted with, Step aside.  You shouldn’t be here.  Could somebody get this civilian out of here?

Nick was just about to lose it when he felt strong arms wrap around him from behind.  A soothing Southern voice spoke calmly into his ear.  “We can do her more good if we let them take care of her.  She’s going to be okay.  We have to let them do their job.”

Kevin.  Train.  My brother.  Nick turned and looked at him.  He tried to talk but could only shake his head.  He looked back at the knot of uniforms surrounding Grace’s unmoving form.

“Come with me,” said Kevin and he led him downstairs.  Petey and Tammy stood in the lobby.  Kevin got on the phone.  He didn’t let his arm go from Nick, though, not for a moment.  Soon, people arrived.  Tammy’s parents came for Petey and Tammy.  The limo driver was released, with thanks and assurances that he had maybe saved a life here tonight.  The building manager arrived.  Jermaine followed shortly after.

The first ambulance took Grace away.  She was still alive, after all.  The second one took Gary.  He was dead.  He had bled his life away for Grace, trying to protect her.  Nick wanted to go with Grace but was told he couldn’t.  Only Kevin’s firm hand and soothing voice kept him from losing it.  She was stable, said the attendant, but she was in shock. 

No fucking kidding, Nick wanted to yell in his face.  But he just picked up her hand and looked into her still and silent face.  Don’t leave me, he whispered.  He remembered that she had said that to him when he took her to the hospital the day they met.  He said it again.  Don’t leave me.  Please, Grace, don’t leave me.

“I’ll take you to the hospital.  Come with me,” said the cop who had helped Nick break down the door.  “I can get your statement there.”  And he ushered Kevin and Nick into the back of his car.
A third ambulance waited to take Matt, but the police weren’t done with his body yet.

The next hours were a total blur to Nick.  He didn’t even remember the ride to the hospital.  He answered the police questions the best he could.  He said, ‘I don’t know’ too many times, though, for his liking.  Why didn’t he know more?  Why hadn’t he protected her?  Why did she end up like this? 

Nick paced up and down the waiting room looking up expectantly at every doctor or nurse who passed by the door.  The guys arrived.  The women had been left at Brian’s to sit by the phone and pray.

Finally, Nick sat down and put his head in his heads.  He felt a hand on his shoulder.   A styrofoam cup of coffee was pressed into his hand.  He looked up.  “Ah, Agnes,” he said and tears sprang to his eyes.  “She’s hurt again.”

“I know, Honey,” said the nurse, patting him on the shoulder, “But we’ll fix her up again.”

Finally, a man in green scrubs appeared in the doorway.  “Mr. Carter,” he said. 

Nick tried to read the doctor’s face.  He stood up.  Four other men stood up with him.  None of them breathed.

“She’s going to be okay,” said the doctor.

It was only Kevin’s strong, steady arms that kept Nick on his feet. 

“She has multiple contusions and lacerations.”  The doctor could see that Nick wasn’t taking this in. “He beat her up and he cut her.” 

Nick’s eyes cleared.  I’m going to kill him, he thought and then realized he didn’t have to. 

“Some of the cuts are superficial but there were three that were rather deep.  Our plastic surgeon, Dr. Paul Ogilvy, was fortunately here at the hospital and he has worked on her.  There will be some scarring, but not much.

Scarring? Who gives a shit about scarring?  Nick wanted to ask.

“Can I see her?”

“Well, she’s under sedation, right now, and…um…”

Brian picked up on it first.  “There’s something else?”

Kevin wasn’t really sure Nick could take something else.  He handed Nick off to Howie and AJ and walked with the doctor up the hall.  Brian watched the two of them.  The doctor talked and Kevin nodded.  Then Kevin asked a question and the doctor talked again.  Finally, Kevin shook the doctor’s hand and turned back.

Brian followed Kevin into the waiting room.  Nick’s long frame was hunched on an orange plastic chair.  His head was in his hands.  Howie stood behind him, one hand on Nick’s shoulder.  AJ stood as still as AJ could, tapping the ends of his fingers together and wanting someone to fix this situation.

Kevin pulled a chair up in front of Nick, so that they were knee to knee.  He took Nick’s hand.  “Listen to me, Nick.  She’s going to be okay.  Do you understand?”

Nick nodded.  The other three could hear the huge, unspoken ‘but’ at the end of Kevin’s sentence.  They weren’t sure Nick had.

“But…?”  Nick had heard it.  He had been expecting it.

“She’s in shock,” said Kevin.  “Who wouldn’t be?  They are going to keep her under sedation all night and see what happens in the morning.”  He looked up at the others.  “She told the police that she doesn’t remember what happened and then she stopped talking.  She won’t speak.”

Nick rocketed to his feet.  “I want to see her.”  He looked wildly around.  “Where is she?  Grace?!  Grace?!” He yelled again and pushed away the hands that tried to hold him back.  The guys didn’t know what to do.  Nick headed out of the waiting room.  He stopped in the doorway when confronted by a stocky, middle-aged nurse.

“Please, Agnes,” he whispered. 

The men were surprised to see the nurse take Nick by the hand like a child she was walking to kindergarten.

“She’s sedated.  She won’t know you’re there.”

“She’ll know.”

“Five minutes,” said Agnes.  “Okay?” 

Nick nodded and they walked up the hall hand-in-hand.  They both knew that once Nick was able to see her and touch her hand, no one would be able to make him leave.

Nick could barely recognize Grace.  One side of her face was bruised and swollen. The other side was so pale as to be almost transparent.  Her eyes were closed.  Bandages started just below her chin and disappeared under the hospital gown.  He could see the outline of them far down her chest.  He picked up her hand.  “I’m here, Grace,” he said.  “I’m here.”

******************************

They moved her upstairs during the night.  Nick went with her.  He sent the other guys away telling them to get some sleep, but he wasn’t leaving.  The doctor assured Nick that Grace’s refusal or inability to speak was her way of protecting her mind, of shutting out the horror.  She didn’t have the strength to deal with both that and her physical injuries right now and time was what she needed.  But Nick knew that the last time she had stopped speaking to shut out the horror, it had been a year before she spoke again.

She was kept under sedation for the next day – pain killers for her physical injuries and sedatives to keep her from losing her mind.  Her parents arrived from Ohio.  Her mother paced up and down beside the bed, desperate to do something, raging inside at the feeling of uselessness that threatened to smother her.

Her father merely grasped her toe under the blankets at the foot of the bed and whispered, “Baby bird.”  Grace’s eyes fluttered open at his touch, but she didn’t say anything and drifted away again after a moment.

The press arrived.  The boys made it clear to their publicist that they would kill the first reporter who tried to get near her.  The publicist cleaned that statement up a little before release, but privately had a word with some of the reporters and made it clear that any future interviews with BSB were dependent upon their actions during this personal crisis.

The next day, the doctor started weaning Grace from the drugs, bringing her slowly back.  She lay in the bed, holding Nick's hand, saying nothing.  Grace’s mom brought her a nightgown and some toiletries from her apartment.  Nick and Tom Barrett stood in the hall not saying a word to each other while Grace’s mom and a nurse changed her clothes and washed the dried blood out of her hair.

The Boys and their women came and went, the boys standing off with their hands in their pockets, shuffling their feet, the women walking right up to her, touching her hand, whispering to her that she was going to be fine. 

Nick turned aside all suggestions that he take a break and get some sleep.  Go have a shower.  We're here.  You're not going to be able to do her any good if you break down.  Finally, Howie did the only thing that could possibly work.  He called Nick's mother. 

Nick's parents had been sitting at home by the phone, keeping in contact with Kevin and following reports of the incident on the news.  As much as they wanted to be at the hospital with Nick, they knew that they would be useless and out-of-place.  And so they waited.  Howie's phone call was salvation for them.

Kevin met them outside the door of Grace's room and briefed them.  Grace was in shock.  The doctor said she was blocking the incident from her mind.  She wouldn't speak.  But the boys were concerned about Nick right now. 

Nick’s mother held up the bag of fresh clothes.  Don't worry.

Jane pushed open the door to the room and took in the sight.  Nick looked like hell.  His eyes were bloodshot and his skin was grey.  Jane looked at Grace and gasped at the sight of her bruised face. She walked over and put her hand on her son's shoulder.  "Son," she whispered. 

Grace looked up at the sound and blinked at her, trying to place her in the right context.  Then she turned her eyes toward the door, where Bob Carter stood.  Suddenly, Grace launched herself off the bed dragging the IV stand and the tubes with her.  She threw herself into his arms, crying, "I'm sorry.  I'm sorry." Over and over again.

People were stunned.  But Bob knew exactly what she was talking about.  It's okay, he whispered.  He would understand.  He would be proud.

And then Grace relived the moments. 

When Matt had raised the knife and she thought she was going to die. 

But he had stopped and looked out the window.

"Well, well, well," he had said, "Looks like we're going to have company.  Blondie's here."

And though Grace had reached the point where she didn’t care what he did with her, she wasn’t going to let him have Nick.  She spotted the bat beside the desk.  She sent her desk chair spinning toward Matt.  It surprised him enough that he lowered the knife and she hit him with the bat across the arm, striking out blindly.  The blow stunned him and he stopped.  He looked at her oddly, as if he didn’t recognize this Grace, this fighter.  She swung the bat back from the other direction, catching him a glancing blow on his other shoulder.

“I’m going to kill you,” Matt whispered, raising the knife. 

Grace stepped up to the plate and with all her might, she swung the bat, and hit him right across the bridge of his nose.  The force of the blow knocked him backwards and he crashed against the windows and then dropped out of sight.

Grace sank to her knees, clutching the bat.  “Home run,” she whispered.  These were the words that Nick had not been able to hear. “Home run.”  And then she retreated to her safe, silent world where she stayed until the one person who could understand the sacrilege she had committed had come to bring her back.

“He would understand.  He would be proud.”

Bob rocked her in his arms.  No one else moved.  And then softly, Grace said the word that told them she would be fine, “Nick.”
Chapter 38 by old_archive
Six Months Later
Once the police heard that Grace was back in the real world, they came to interview her.  Everyone left the room, but Nick refused.  He sat by the bed and held her hand and listened to her tell what had happened.  She spoke haltingly but she was determined to get it all out.  She didn't want to have to tell the story more than once.  Nick's heart broke for her but he was happy to hear about the strength she had shown.  The police were very impressed with her coded message to Nick.  Quick thinking in a difficult situation, they said.  And they told Nick that he and Kevin had saved her life by not hesitating when they thought they had figured out what was going on.
The police left and Nick told everyone to go away.  He wanted to be alone with Grace.  The doctor had come in and removed the IV while they were waiting for the police.  When everyone was gone, Nick climbed onto the bed behind her and carefully tucked her into his arms.  They slept like spoons, secure and safe.  Agnes looked in on them at one point and reported to the anxious relatives that they were fine.
Gary's sister came and cleaned out his apartment.  They hadn't seen each other for quite some time, but it was the least she could do, she felt.  The apartment manager had removed all the porno magazines before she got there, partly out of respect for Gary and partly because it was an impressive collection and he wanted a look.  Gary's sister found all his logbooks, but couldn't really make head nor tail of them, so she threw them out.  Other than that, there wasn't much to take.
Grace's mother found her usefulness when she went to Grace's apartment.  She cleaned it thoroughly, leaving no trace of what had gone on there.  The computer keyboard was full of blood and it would have been impossible to get it all out, so her father took it to a computer store and replaced it with an exact model.  Then he mounted the baseball bat on the wall over her desk, so Grace would never lose sight of how strong and brave she had been.
Grace's scars slowly healed.  She was afraid to show them to Nick at first, but he insisted.  He called them "little road maps for my lips" and proceeded to kiss them gently and often.
Nick was heralded as a hero by the fans.  Petey and Tammy had told of their exploits at school and the fan sites went wild.  The story grew daily and before long, Nick and Kevin truly were larger than life in the eyes of the fans.  They refused to discuss it other than the official statement that they released saying that it had been a horrifying event and they would all like to move on and respect Grace's and everyone's privacy.  They paid tribute to Gary and his valiant attempt to save Grace's life.  The statement had no effect at all on the fan frenzy, of course.
Nick and Grace's first public appearance was a media event.  Although the police had not told anyone how Matt had died, the story got out and Grace became a symbol of women fighting back against violence.  They had talked it over with the guys and decided that a controlled event was probably best, much better than being ambushed when they tried to do something private.  The new album had been completed and Grace wanted the whole thing over with before the launch party.  She owed everything to these people and she didn't want to get in the way of their business. 
They went to a nightclub.  They had security everywhere.  Unbelievably, Grace had received email from two people cursing her for what she had done and threatening to punish her.  The police had managed to track them down and had warned them that any more nonsense would be prosecuted. 
When they stepped out of the limo, the flashes were blinding.  Grace moved in close to Nick and he put a protective arm around her.  This was the photo that made all the wire services the next day and made the fans even prouder of their golden-haired boy.
The boys were going on tour.  The album was done and ready to be promoted.  Nick was reluctant to leave Grace, but she insisted that she would be fine and that she could come and see him on tour whenever he wanted.  One of the perks of being your own boss, she told him.
They all had the week off before they left.  Nick told Grace to pack a bag.  They were going to a resort together.  That was all he would tell her.  He picked her up in a limo and took her to the marina.  They got onto his boat and headed out.  Grace wondered what resorts were close enough to get to by boat.  And then she saw what direction they were going and she smiled.  She slipped her arms around him from the back.
"Are we going to a really private resort?" she asked.
"Very private," he answered.
"How private?" she prodded.
"Just the two of us," he said, smiling and pushed the throttle forward to hurry them along to The Cove.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9197