I'm Only Human by KevinsChickadee
Summary: Howie Dorough had the world (his beautiful fiancee') close to his heart. But when he delved into the sea of infidelity, his heart, as well as his life, was broken in two.

Now, four painstaking years have passed, and she's moved on...but he hasn't.

Will one song bring his beloved back to him? Or are they a lost cause?
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Howie
Genres: Drama
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3155 Read: 371 Published: 10/13/08 Updated: 10/13/08
Story Notes:
This story was based on a song called "I'm Only Human" from the 80's band Human League (if you don't know who they are, you can look them up if you'd like.)

1. Visual by KevinsChickadee

Visual by KevinsChickadee
Author's Notes:
Rated R for language.
"I'm only human, of flesh and blood. I'm made. I'm only human. Born to make mistakes." Krystal didn't want to hear it. She loved Howie more than anything, but she didn't wanna take the heartache any longer. "Howard, I can't take this anymore. I want out." "Kris, you don't mean that. Please...I'm sorry." "Why my best friend, Howie? Why? Maybe I wasn't meant to be happy. Maybe I don't deserve love at all. " Howie tried to reach for her but she drew back. "Don't touch me. I don't want you to touch me again. I don't need you anymore....I'm done." And with that, Kris grabbed her suitcase and left...without saying goodbye...leaving him broken and unloved.

"Kris, are you ok?" Krystal looked up and saw her now husband Drake staring at her. "Hmm? Oh I'm fine. Just thinking of something, that's all." Drake took her hand and massaged it. "Sweetheart, it's been 4 years. Can you let it go?" Krystal looked up at him, and shook her head. "No, I really can't. He hurt me, Drake. I'm sorry. I can never forgive him." Drake looked down, and said, "You know what? You look so cute when you worry." "I'm not worried." "Yeah, right. K, you still love him, I can tell." "Drake, I don't love him. I never want to see Howard Dorough for as long as I live."

"Yo', Howie! Come on man. It's your turn to record your voice," shouted A.J., Howie's close friend. "I really don't feel good right now, guys. Can it wait till tomorrow?" "Yeah, dawg. Take all the time you need," said Nick, thumbing through a magazine. "Well, I'll go on next," said Brian, who wanted to know what the hell was eating at Howie. Brian was about to record, but he looked at Howie leaving the studio. "Hold on, guys." said Brian, as he got out the booth, and followed Howie. "Howie! Wait up!" Howie stopped walking and turned around to face Brian. "What's going on?" "I don't wanna talk about it." "But Howie--" "I said I don't wanna talk about it!" Brian stood back a little. "Howie....what has gotten into you? We've been worried sick about you for the past 4 years, ever since..." Howie put his hand up to Brian's face to silence him. "Please, don't bring it up....don't bring her up..." "Fine," said Brian putting Howie's hand down. "I won't. Are you gonna come back to the studio?" "No. I...I think I need some time off." "But Howie...the CD needs to be finished. We've only got 3 weeks. You can't take time off now..." "Brian...please. Give me time. I need enough time to erase her out of my mind." Brian surrendered. He didn't want to argue with Howie. He's been through enough. "Alright. I'll tell the guys. We're here if you need us." Brian patted Howie on the shoulder. "Thanks."

Howie got into his car and drove to his condo on 45th Street. As he parked the car, he let out a whisper-like sigh. As he got the car, he took out a remote and opened the gates to his home. The clatter of his shoes upon cobblestone was silent to his ears. He had never felt this way before. He had his experiences of heart-break....but none like this. He hated it. Howie loved Krystal with all his heart, but why did he let her slip away? He always tried to make the relationship work, but now he has nothing. He feels that his life has no meaning at all....without her at least.

Howie walked into his house and took his jacket off. He then took his shoes off and walked towards his leather couch. Before he sat down, he took out a champagne glass and a bottle of Sherry. As he poured the sweet, yet warm liquid into the glass, he walked over to the couch and sat down. Howie took a remote that was on the Inn table, and pushed PLAY to play the CD player. The song that was on was called, "I'm Only Human". Howie laid back into the couch and closed his eyes, as the words filled his mind...

Come on baby, dry your eyes of your tears...
Never want to see you cry...
Won't you please forgive me?

Howie had an idea. He couldn't get over Krystal. He can't. He loved her too much to let her go. "It's a longshot, but it has to work..."

Howie picked up the phone, and dialed his manager Johnny Wright's number.

"Hello?"
"Hello, Johnny?"
"Howie! What's goin' on, man? How you holdin' up?"
"I'm ok. Listen. Who is performing at the Grammys next week?"
"Well, let's see..."

Johnny picked up a list of performers that were gonna be there.

"Well, there's Pink, The Click Five, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Green Day, Kanye West with Jamie Foxx, and The Rolling Stones. Why did you wanna know?"
"Ok, J. This is very important. I need you to call the Performing Commitee and have them add a Special Guest performer."
"Done and done. What's this for anyway? You wanna suprise some fans?"
"Yeah, but that's not the important thing."
"Then what is it?"
"I want to surprise my past."

Johnny looked at the phone, and he heard it click. Howie decided in order to win her back, he had to seranade her with a simple song...but also the truth.

GRAMMY NIGHT


Everyone who was everyone attended the Grammys that night. The Red Carpet was chock full of celebs from left to right. The one person that was not there at the Carpet was Howie. He was not to be seen by anyone, because no one is to expect him to be there. He wanted to surprise people, and Krystal. He hopes that what he is about to do will bring her back into his life, and to start things off right again.

Howie was in the dressing room waiting for Johnny and the rest of the guys to come and support him. Howie was literally shaking in his boots. He was scared that she might turn him down again, and he'll be alone for the rest of his life. Howie could remember that fateful night vividly. He was surprised to remember such a thing, for it was only 4 years ago...

"Howie, sweetheart! I'm home!" Krystal shouted throughout the house, as she put her bags down. She was shocked to find out that he didn't sneak up on her from behind like he always did. She loved that. "Hmm...where is he?" Krystal took off her coat, placed it on the coat hanger and walked upstairs. She didn't wanna make a sound, so she tiptoed up the spiral staircase. As she turned to the area of their bedroom, she stopped and silently opened the door. "Howie, I'm---" Her smile for surprising Howie, turned into a frown, when she saw Howie...and another woman. Krystal was stunned, as she saw her boyfriend, and her best friend, Sandi, snuggled together in her bed...their bed. She couldn't believe her eyes. She didn't know what to do first: to scream at him, or to throw up. She thought that throwing up was disgusting at the point, so she decided to let him have it. "HOWARD DOROUGH!" Howie and Sandi woke up quickly and saw Krystal stand there crying. "Krystal....I can explain!" Howie tried to reach for her, but she batted his hand away. "Stay away from me! Don't come near me! Why did you do this? To me?! To us?!" Howie slowly hung his head down in shame. "I can't believe that you did this to me...in our own home!" "Baby, please, let me explain..." "Let you explain? Let you EXPLAIN??!! I will not let you explain! I can see it with my own eyes! You fucked my best friend!" Krystal couldn't take it anymore. She got enough courage to walk out the room. Howie bolted after her. "Kris! Wait!" She turned around and sharply slapped him in the face. Howie stood there, holding his face as she walked out the house. Howie watched her get in her car, as he sat on the steps. "What have I done?"

Howie closed his eyes, and said a silent prayer. "Please God...please bring her back into my life...I don't deserve to be alone anymore..." Suddenly, Howie heard the door click, and looked up. It was Nick.

"Hey D."
"Hey."
"I have a question...do you think that this will work?"
"I have no doubt in my mind that it will work, Nick. I want Krystal back."
"Yeah. Y'all seem like the perfect couple, man. I wish I could find someone like that."
"How about my cousin, Chelsea?"
"Nah. She cool and all, but she's married."
"Oh. Well, where are the guys?"
"Outside the door. They wanted me to talk to you first."
"Thanks, Nick."
"Yeah, don't sweat it. Hey, I gotta go. I'll talk to you after the show. Do they know you're here?"
"No, Nick. That's the whole point."
"Man! I wanna surprise some fans, yo!"
"No. Not yet. You know the plan, right?"
"Yeah. Look, see you out there, man."
"Alright."


The time was winding down. Howie started pacing the floor back and forth. He was nervous. He didn't know what to do, or what to say. All he could do is seranade her with a simple song....but can he do it? Can he prove once and for all that Krystal was his one and only?

It was time. After Pink performed her hit song, "Catch Me When I'm Sleepin'", Howie was standing backstage, looking through the audience. He felt a hand on his shoulder. He turned around and saw AJ. "Yo, D. You ok man?" "I have the Mariposas." "The Butterflies. It's gonna be ok, Howie. Trust me." Howie looked down at the floor. "Just what if, AJ? What if she won't take me back?" "Dorough, all I have to say, is hope for the best." After AJ gave him one last pat on the shoulder, he walked away. Morgan Freeman and Richard Gere stood in front of the podium, about to announce the next performer. "But before we do," began Richard. "This next performer is a surprise special guest. Now, you may know him from the famous group called the Backstreet Boys." The crowd erupted. Richard continued, "Ladies and Gentleman, please welcome, Howard Dorough!" The crowd gave him a standing ovation, as he ascended the stage. "Now, this song, was not sung or written by us. This song is for a special woman out there. I hope you're listening..." Howie closed his eyes, as he began to sing the first part of the song. He saw some women crying and singing along. Little did he know, that Krystal was actually in the audience. Drake looked at her, for she was not smiling. "Kris...Krystal? Are you ok?" Krystal looked at Drake, then at Howie, got up out of her seat and left. Drake got up and ran after her. "Krystal! Wait up!" Krystal stood by the lobby, holding herself, standing against the wall. Drake caught up to her. "Krystal, what happened?" She looked up at him and shook her head. "Does he think that he can win me over by some damn song? Well, I don't think so." Drake reached out to her, but she drew back. "Krystal..." "I....I....I need to be alone." Krystal picked up her purse, and ran out the revolving door. Drake tried to go after her, but he stopped and let her go. "Nevermind. Take all the time you need, K."

After the show was the Grammy After Party. Howie was sitting on the couch with a glass of wine in his hands. Kevin and Brian sat by him, and gave him a pat on the back. "Man, you were great out there," said Brian. Howie looked up at Brian and said, "Thanks. I just hope that Kris got the message." Howie sat back, and noticed a man walking towards him. Howie sat up, and stood up. "Are you Howard Dorough?" Howie had a confused look on his face. "Yeah. Depends on who's lookin' for him." "Well, I'm Krystal's husband, Drake Carson." Howie's breath was caught in his throat. "You---You're her husband?" "Yes. She was with me when you were singing, and I think it upset her." That was the one thing Howie did not want to do. He didn't want to upset her, he wanted her forgiveness. "Drake, I am so sorry. I never wanted to hurt her...not again." Drake put his hand on his shoulder. "Howie...go talk to her. Find her, and tell her how you feel. I know that she still loves you." Howie looked up at Drake with a surprised look on his face. "She still loves me? Then why is she acting this way?" "I don't know, Howie. Just go and talk to her. She's at the beach." "Howie do you know?" "She always go there to think. I'm sure that she's there. Go."

And there she was. Sitting in the warm sand, with her knees to her chest. Her soft brown hair flowing in the wind, as she looked at the sun set in the sky. Her life for the last 4 years has become an emotional rollercoaster. Howie was the love of her life, but what he has done to her was completely unforgivable. She wanted nothing to do with him ever again. "He just doesn't understand...He just doesn't..." Suddenly, the silence around her was shattered, when she heard a familiar voice shout out her name. "Krystal!!" She turned around and saw Howie. "Why is he here? Why won't he leave me alone?" Howie walked up to her, but she got up and walked away. "Krystal, wait!" Howie ran up to her, and grabbed her arm. She wriggled against him, but she surrendered. "Howie, I haven't the time for this." "Krystal, listen to me. I still..." "You still what? You still think that I deserved what happened that night 4 years ago? You still think that I haven't any feelings?" Howie looked at her with a confused expression his face. "How could you say that? I never thought that about you! You were the only one that fully changed my life! Don't you see, Krystal? I still love you!" Krystal looked him deep in his honey brown eyes. She felt the stinging of her tears treading down her face. Krystal placed her hand on the exact area she slapped him at 4 years ago. Howie grabbed her hand, and held it. "Howie...I'm so..." Howie cut her off by leaning in, and passionately kissing her. She put her arms around his neck, as he wrapped his arms around her waist. As they let their lips go, she looked at him as if she saw him for the first time.

The beach fell silent for a minute. Howie finally broke the silence by saying, "Krystal, I'm sorry. I never meant to hurt you. I know that deep down inside your heart that you can forgive me....I hope." Krystal looked down at the sand. "Howie...it's gonna take some time. I need some time to think about this. I have a husband now, and--" Howie lifted her face up, and said, "I know. I met him. He told me where you were. He also told me something else." "What else did he tell you?" Howie put his hands on her face. "He told me...that you still love me." Howie noticed that familiar sparkle in her soft brown eyes. "Howard...It's true. I do still love you. I tried to move on without you, but everyday it hurts me when I don't feel your warm arms around me at night, or when we..." "Make love?" Howie traced the outline of her chin with his thumb, as he finished her sentence. "Yeah...I miss that." "Well, Kris. Let's start anew." Krystal looked back down at the sand, and started to walk away from him. "Howie...how can I trust you again? How can we start anew?" She held her arm. "How can we fall in love again?" Howie walked up behind her and placed his hands on her shoulders. "We can start all those things with this..." Krystal turned her head and was met by Howie's soft and sweet kiss. "Forget for one moment that you have a husband. Forget for one moment that you have a different life. Forget for one moment....that I hurt you." Krystal turned around fully, so she can meet him face to face. Howie held both of her hands, rubbing them with his thumbs. "Krystal, please...I love you. And there is nothing that's gonna make me think otherwise. I want you back in my life. I want us to have a future together...I want an "us" back." Krystal wrapped her arms around him and passionately kissed him. The kiss was thoroughly heartstopping to Howie. Howie slowly slid her spaghetti straps of her dress down, as he softly kissed her shoulders. "Howie...." It was the weak spot that no one knew, not even Drake.

"Forget for one moment that you have a husband. Forget for one moment that you have a different life. Forget for one moment...that I hurt you...." Those words began to swim in Krystal's brain. She did forget everything that he's done to her, and moved on. Krystal was fast asleep in Howie's bed. His arms were wrapped around her tight. Her face was snuggled against his chest, smelling his manly scent. She loved the way he smelled. All musky and sweet at the same time. Howie woke up, and saw Krystal snuggled against him. As he saw her, he smiled. Howie knelt down, and kissed her on her forehead, and brushed it. Krystal's eyes slowly opened, because she felt Howie's soft hands upon her head. "Howie....?" she said sleepily. "Hey baby..." Howie began. "How did you sleep?" "I slept good, Howie. Thank you..." Howie kissed her lips softly, then got on top of her. "Howie..." Howie left soft, wet kisses upon her neck, then lifted her red shirt off. "Howie....I love you..." "I love you too...now let me prove it to you..." Howie smiled as he pulled the covers over the both of them. Now all that's left are two loving bodies writhing underneath the white cotton sheets.


Epilogue

"Howie...It hurts..." Krystal shut her eyes tightly, as the sharp pain went through her entire body. "It's going to be over soon, baby...Be strong for me...you can do it..." Krystal was squeezing his hand tightly. "One more should do it," said the doctor. "Oh God!!!" It was all silence for a few seconds. Then Krystal heard the sweet sound of a crying baby. "Oh my God...Krystal...look..." Howie was overwhelmed. "And...it's a girl!" Krystal sat up just a little. "....A girl? Oh my God...We have a girl?" The doctor nodded her head smiling, as she held their baby girl. Howard and Krystal welcomed little
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9279