True Love by KevinsChickadee
Summary: Note: This is a prequel to another story I'm planning to post: Endless Love.

Howie had just broken up with his on again/off again girlfriend, and is at wit's end to find real love. He immediately finds it in a young 18 year old named Mariana.

Will she let him in after her own personal bout with heartbreak?
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Howie
Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: The Love Everlasting Series
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 10952 Read: 12512 Published: 10/15/08 Updated: 10/23/08
Story Notes:
The story is rated R for brief nudity and strong language.

1. Chapter 1 by KevinsChickadee

2. Chapter 2 by KevinsChickadee

3. Chapter 3 by KevinsChickadee

4. Chapter 4 by KevinsChickadee

5. Chapter 5 by KevinsChickadee

6. Chapter 6 by KevinsChickadee

7. Chapter 7 by KevinsChickadee

8. Chapter 8 by KevinsChickadee

9. Chapter 9 by KevinsChickadee

10. Chapter 10 by KevinsChickadee

Chapter 1 by KevinsChickadee
Howard Dorough is trying to keep a decent relationship with his girlfriend, Christina Alexander. They are basically on and off, and it's driving him mad. "Howard....Howard?" Howard was reading a magazine and ignoring her speaking. "Howard! Listen to me!" "What?" "Don't talk to me like that! What are we going to do about this?" Howard looked at her with a puzzled expression. "About what?" "Howie, don't be stupid. I'm talking about us. What is going to happen to this relationship?" Howie put the magazine down, and looked at his girlfriend. "Chris, nothing is going to happen to this relationship. Trust me." Christina looked down on the ground. "I don't believe you. Howard....I have something to tell you. Please....understand where it's coming from." Howard wanted to know where this was going. "Chris...what's going on?" "Well. I hate to tell you this...but..." "Out with it." "I don't love you anymore." "Heh heh.....excuse me?" "Howard....we've been through a lot, and I think it's time for us to....go our separate ways." Howard stood there in shock. "Chris....this is a joke, right?" "No. Dorough, I'm sorry, but this is not working out for me." "For you?" Howard said getting up. "What the hell are you talking about? Christina, I loved you with all of the strength that I could dish out. What are you trying to tell me?" Christina stood up, and walked towards Howie. "Howie...I never loved you. The reason why I was even with you is because of what you are....not who you are. Simple as that. I want you to leave now."

"Christina, have you lost your damn mind?" "No. Now get out." "Fine. My friends were right about you. You are an egotistical bitch." Christina applauded him. "Bravo, Bravo. When's the next show?" Howard became mad, and charged her. He grabbed her arm and looked deep into her eyes, pure hatred stirring in his own. "I can't believe you. Let me make this official. It's over!" As Howard let her go, he grabbed his coat and was about to walk out the house. As soon as he was about to leave, he turned around and held out his hand. "My ring, please?" "Bastard." Christina took her ring off, and placed it in his hand. With one last stern look, Howie turned around and walked out the door, slamming it behind him.

"Yo' D! What happened?" Howie went to AJ's house. AJ is Howie's trusted friend and he could tell him anything. "That bitch Christina dumped me. She said she "loved" me for my status. I can't believe I fell for that shit!" "Well, I'm not gonna say it." "Say what, AJ?" "I told you so." "Goddamnit, AJ! I didn't know that she was a bitch. I should have seen it from the start." "Yeah. I'm sorry for what Christina put you through. Now, if you need anything, I'm here, ok?" "Yeah, AJ. Thanks. Howie got up and walked to the door. "I'm heading home. I'll call you." "Alright, D. Do you need a ride?" "No. Right now, I need to be alone."

Howie walked out of AJ's house, and walked down the street saying, "What do I do now?"
End Notes:
Like I did for "Ask, and You Shall Receive", I am adding the first three chapters of this, to see if it'll generate interest. Feedback is greatly appreciated, and for those who have read "Ask" and my other stories, thank you all so much!
Chapter 2 by KevinsChickadee
It was late at night, and Howie decided to sit out on his porch, to get some air. A full moon was out, and the stars were so vibrant. Howie never felt so depressed in all of his life. He believes in the saying: Behind every man, there's a good woman. He takes that to heart. Seriously. He truly needs a good woman in his life, someone that will love him for who he is inside, and not because of his star quality. His short, thick curls flew through the cool, fall air. As he sat Indian style on his porch, he looked up into the stars. "My God..." he began. "If I could find someone who is as beautiful as the shining star...then I will be complete. If only..."

Soon after he said his wish, he heard footsteps. He turned to the direction of the sound, and saw a small shadowy figure. The figure soon turned into a girl, a very beautiful girl. "Who's that? She's beautiful..." A young woman was walking down the sidewalk, passing Howie's home. The girl looked up at him, and gave him a sweet smile. Howie's breath was stolen, as he looked at her. Her soft hazel eyes were in luster within the moonlight, and her long brown hair was illuminated. Howie's breathing became erratic from the sight of her. Her hands were in her pockets, as she continued to walk away. She looked a little sad, and Howie wanted to know why. "Wait!" The girl jumped a little, and turned back around. "What do you want?" The girl said, a bit scared. "No, I won't hurt you. I swear." Howie got off of his stoop, and walked to her. "Hi, um...my name is Howie Dorough, and I was just wondering why a beautiful young lady, such as yourself is walking alone at night..." "You think I'm beautiful?" Howie nodded 'yes', and took her hand. "I think you're very beautiful. Now, as a concerned citizen, are you ok?" The girl looked up at him, and faintly smiled. "Yes, and no, actually." "Why?" "Well, I broke up with my boyfriend, and..." Howie couldn't believe it. She had someone, and yet the person let her go. "The guy is an ass." Howie thought. "Oh, I see. I'm sorry. I'm such an idiot. I didn't get your name..." "Number one, you're not an idiot. You look to be very intelligent, and number two..." She walked up to him, and smiled. "My name is Mariana Rodriguez." "Mariana Rodriguez..." Howie thought. "Such a remarkable name..." "Well, Mr. Dorough, I bid you adieu." "Not yet..." he grabbed her arm, and looked her deep in the eyes. "Do you have a place to stay? I mean..." "Not exactly. I moved out of my family's home at 16, and I've been on my own for 2 years." "So you're..." "18." "Damnit..." he said to himself. "Is there something wrong?" Howie turned to her. "Hmm? Oh, I'm fine. Um...Would you like to spend the night here?" Mariana looked up at him, and smiled. "Sure. I would like that. I hope I won't be too much trouble." "No, not at all..." said Howie, as he took her hand, and lead her to his home.

Howie took out his keys, and opened the door, letting Mariana in first. "Ladies first, Mariana," he said. As Mariana walked in, she was surprised at the sight before her. "Oh, my God..." The house was immaculate, and above all, beautiful. "I would love to live in a house like this." Howie closed the door, and looked at her. "Would you?" "Yes, very much so. It's like a dream house." Howie walked up to her, and took her hands. "Your hands are so soft," he stated. "Thank you..." He led her up the stairs, and towards a vacant room. "Here are your quarters. If it's not to your liking, I'm sorry." Even though Howie just met Mariana, he wanted only the best for her. The only reason is because he actually likes her....maybe more than that. He knows that he can't fall for her, for she's too young, but to him, it's hard. "If you want to take a shower, there some clean towels in the linen closet to your right, and robes." "Thank you so much. I really don't deserve this..." Mariana walked up to him, and softly kissed him on the cheek. Howie touched his cheek, and smiled as she went in the bathroom.

As Howie walked away, he heard the shower running, and soft singing. She stopped him at his tracks, as he heard her sweet, gentle voice. "I can't go in there...we hardly met..." Mariana is the most beautiful girl that he had ever laid eyes upon. He didn't want to approach her so soon, so he decided to wait it out. Howie stood against the wall, looking at the bathroom door. "Mariana..." He began to reach for the door, but he stopped himself. "God, what am I doing? I can't..." Howie walked away from the door, and headed for his room. Suddenly, the door opened, and Mariana walked out with nothing on but a towel. She walked towards the linen closet, and took out a purple t-shirt, and black boxers. "This will do for the time being," said Mariana. She walked into her reserved room, and closed the door.

Later that night, Howie was lying down on his bed, his eyes to the ceiling. He closed his eyes, thinking about Mariana. He turned over in the bed, and looked at the door, sighing deeply. "Never mind. That's something that I can't be with. I just know it." Howie turned to his right side, and fell asleep. Then, a knock on Howie's door is sounded. His eyes instantly opened, and he got up, walking to the door. Upon opening it, he saw Mariana stand before him. "Mariana..." "I hope I didn't disturb you, Mr. Dorough." Howie giggled a little, and smiled at her. "No, you didn't, dear. What did you want?" "I um...I wanted to talk to you about something." Howie let her in, and closed the door behind him. Howie and Mariana sat on the bed, looking at each other for quite some time. "What...did you want to talk about?" "Well, I wanted to talk about life, and love. If you're uncomfortable about that, then I could..."

Mariana got up, and was about to walk to the door, until Howie grabbed her arm. "No, wait." Mariana turned to look up at him. She had to look up, for she was a few inches shorter than him. "Please, don't go...not just yet." Mariana sat back down, as did Howie. "Mr. Dorough?" "Please, call me Howie. I feel old when you call me that." "I'm sorry, Howie. Have you ever found, you know...true love?" Howie looked down at the ground, with a frown. "No. Not that I know of. I thought that I found love within my ex-girlfriend, but it turns out that she only loved me, or so she said, because of my riches." Mariana sat there amazed. Not at the fact that he was rich and famous, but for the fact that he was heartbroken. "How long have you been with her?" "6 years. We broke up just yesterday." "She doesn't deserve you. Any woman like that doesn't deserve a great man like you." Howie turned to her, and smiled, touching her face softly. Mariana placed her hand upon his, looking back at him. "So, tell me, Mariana..." began Howie softly. "Why did your ex leave you?" "Well, he only wanted to be with me for one thing. He tried to take it from me, but I stopped him. He was just a pig." Howie took her head, and placed it upon his chest. "I don't know why certain men are the way they are. As a matter of fact, this whole world isn't right these days. I don't know how we'll get through it." Mariana sighed happily against his chest. "I could stay like this forever," Mariana thought. "I feel so safe in his arms. He's so secure...so sweet."

Howie picked her head up, and looked into her eyes. "You know what, Mariana?" He began. "You have the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen." "As do you, Howie..." Mariana broke away from his embrace, and got up, walking to the door. "Well, Mariana, goodnight, and I wish you sweet dreams." "Good night." Mariana walked to the door, and left, closing it behind her. Howie fell backwards on the bed, looking at the ceiling again. After a few moments, he fell fast asleep.
Chapter 3 by KevinsChickadee
The warmth of the morning sun fell upon Howie's room, as he woke up. "Mmm..." He muttered, stretching. Howie got up, put a robe on, and walked out the room. Within an instant, he smelled fresh coffee, and bacon cooking. "What the...?" Howie walked downstairs, and walked towards the kitchen. As he entered, he saw Mariana by the stove, cooking breakfast. "Well, it's about time you woke up. Morning, by the way." Mariana said with a smile then turned back to the stove. Howie walked up to her, and kissed her on the cheek. "You really didn't have to do this..." Mariana gathered two plates with two pieces of toast, bacon, and poached eggs. "No, I wanted to. Ever since you took me into your home, I just wanted to make it up to you. You know, returning the favor." Howie rubbed his hands together, and sat down smiling. "Well, anything for you. I had to, since you said that you had nowhere else to go. I couldn't leave you out in the streets alone. You're too smart to live in the streets." Mariana turned to him, walked to the table, and sat down. "How do you know if I'm smart?" Howie said smiling, "Because it's there." She took a fork, and took a bite of her eggs. "So? How are they?" "Mmm...These are better than hotel breakfast. You sure can cook, Mariana." "Thank you." They continued to eat their breakfast. "So, it must be nice to be a Backstreet Boy." Howie looked up, with the fork in his mouth, then taking it out. "How...how did you know?" "Well, since you did say that your name was Howie Dorough, I figured that it sounded very familiar." "I see..." "Howie?" "Yes, honey?" "How long can I stay here?" "As long as you want, Querida." Mariana blushed slightly, and turned her attention to the plate in front of her. "She's remarkably radiant..." Howie thought. "If only..."

Later that day, AJ, Brian and Nick came by to Howie's house. "Yo, D! Where you at, bro?" Howie emerged from the dining room, and into the den. "Hey, guys. What's up?" Howie and the gang sat down on the couch. "Nothin' much, man. Actually, I was right in the middle of beating Shang Tsung on Mortal Kombat on Very Hard. I was using Liu Kang, of course, and--" "Nick, Nick, Nick..." AJ stated, shaking his head. "The only thing that you play on "Very Hard" is the Fuck game, and you can't even get harder than partially limp." Brian and Howie began to laugh. "Hey, shut up! I can get hard!" "Shit...you can't get it up no mo'. You limp like a muthafucka." Nick threw a pillow at AJ, and smacked him right in the face.

"Ahh! That shit hurt, bro." "Well, the reason why I called you all was because I want you to meet someone. You can come down now!" "In a minute!" AJ, Brian and Nick were talking amongst themselves, until they heard someone come downstairs. Mariana came downstairs with a black t-shirt and blue jeans. "Guys, this is Mariana Rodriguez." AJ and Nick looked at her with amazement. "Whoa..." AJ thought. "Girl hot as hell. mmm mmm MMM!" "Hello. It's nice to meet you all." Brian got up, and shook Mariana's hand. "It's nice to meet you too, Miss Rodriguez," said Brian, smiling. "Tell the management that she's going on tour with us for several months." Mariana looked at Howie in shock. "Wha---what?" "Oh, I didn't tell you? Mariana, I have to go on tour in a few days, and I was wondering...if I could bring you along with me...I mean us. What do you say?" Mariana was on cloud nine when she was given this great news. Should she take Howie up on his offer? "Yes. I'll go with you." Howie walked up to her, and embraced her deeply. "This will be one great tour." Mariana had her arms around his neck, as she looked into his eyes. "Yeah...it will."

AJ, Brian and Nick looked at each other, then back at the two. AJ cleared this throat. "Ok, we're gonna go, D." Howie let Mariana go, and looked at AJ. "Ok then. When does the tour start again?" "Uh...next Friday. We have to leave early Thursday." said Nick "Alright then. The first concert is in Anaheim, right?" "Yeah. Come on guys," said Brian, walking to the door with the others. As they left, Mariana embraced him tight. "I can't believe it! Me, going on tour with you. This is gonna be great, Howie. Thank you!" Howie grabbed her hands, and looked at her. "You're welcome. Now, that's MY way of 'returning the favor.' "Mariana kissed him on the cheek, and was about to go upstairs, but Howie grabbed her arm, pulling her to him. "Mariana, wait..." Howie leaned in slowly. "I...I wanted to tell you something..." "What is it...?" As Howie was about to lean in even more, Mariana's cell phone rang. Howie moved back, and walked backwards a little. "That must be my abuela. I'll be back..." Mariana headed upstairs to her room, closing the door. Howie just stood there looking at the staircase. "Damn..."

AJ motioned the others towards him, and whispered, "Hey, do you think that Howie's bangin' her?" Brian smacked him in the back of the head. "AJ, is that all you think about? Sex, sex, sex?" "Well.....yeah." Brian shook his head, and walked to the car. "Well, at any rate, it's none of our business what he does with her. That's probably his new girlfriend, or somethin'," acknowledged Nick. "Maybe so. Now, we have got to get back to the studio, or else it's our asses," said AJ, as they got in the car, and drove off.
Chapter 4 by KevinsChickadee
As the week ended, Howie walked in, and saw Mariana packing up. Upon watching her, he stood against the doorway. Mariana turned around and saw him. "Where are you going?" "I'm packing up for the tour. I just hope that I got everything..." Howie walked up to her, and helped her pack. "Could you hand me my necklace, please?" Howie looked over to the dresser, and saw a cross necklace with rubies inside it. "It's beautiful, Mariana...Where did you get it?" Mariana took it from him, and looked at it sitting down. "It was my mothers'. She gave it to me...before she died. That's one of the main reasons why I left home. I just couldn't take the grief any longer." Howie sat beside her, and placed his hand on her shoulder. "So, you took the necklace, as if it was her?" "You can say that. Put it on for me?" Howie took the necklace, and placed it on her neck, hooking it. She then turned to face him. "Thanks a lot." Howie held the cross in his hand, and thumbed it, so it could luster. "I know that your mother is watching over you, my dear." "You really think so?" Howie curled his finger around her chin, and said, "I know so." Mariana placed both her hands on his face. "You see? That is the main reason why I admire you, Howie. You care for others' feelings." "It's in my blood." Mariana smiled at him, and turned to her suitcase. "Well, the plane leaves in a half-hour, so we had better be going." Howie got up and walked to the door. "I'll escort you." "Really? No one has ever done that for me before." Howie giggled a little. "Well, consider me the first." And with that, Mariana linked her arm within Howie's, and walked out the door.

The first night of the tour had become a huge success. The cheers and screams of teenage girls rang through the stadium. After the show ended, the guys went to the Waldorf-Astoria, one of their favorite hotels. Howie and Mariana were the first ones to get off the tour bus, then the others. "So, who's the girl?" asked Kevin, grabbing his jacket before exiting. "That's Mariana Rodriguez, Howie's friend." said Nick. "She's nice. I just hope that she's not another Christina." "Kevin, I'm sure she's not. I mean, two weeks ago, we went over Howie's apartment, and she was very nice. Young, too." said Brian. "How young?" "I don't know. Looked about 17, 18." "Hmm...ok then."

Mariana and Howie walked into a vacant hotel room, and closed the door. "So, what do you want to do?" asked Howie. "I've heard about this hotel. Does it have a ballroom?" "Yes, it does. What, you wanna go dancing?" "Yes, I do...that is...if you're not too tired from the concert..." Howie got up, and danced a little. "Oh, yeah, I'm not too tired to dance the night away. Let's go change." Howie walked into the bathroom, and started the shower. Mariana smiled at the door, and snuck out with a bag in her hand. A few moments later, Howie walked out with nothing but black from head to toe. He wore a long sleeved black shirt, black dress pants, and leather black shoes to match. "Mariana, are you....Mariana?" She was nowhere to be found. "Oh, no...Mariana!" Howie's first thought was looking in the ballroom for her. "God, I hope she's there..."

Howie walked into the ballroom, and saw a familiar face, Pollyanna. "What are you doing here, sis?" "I'm on a date. How was the concert?" "Good, good. Look, have you seen a young girl? About 5'4, long brown hair, and wore a jean outfit?" "You mean her?" Pollyanna pointed to the steps.

Howie looked up, and his breath was instantly stolen. "Oh, my God..." There she was, standing at the top of the stairs, wearing a beautiful red evening gown, and black heeled shoes. Her left hand sat gently upon the golden banister. She then began to gracefully walk down the stairs to Howie's direction. As she made it all the way down, she said, "So, are you ready to dance?" Howie was still in a shock that Pollyanna had to poke him. "Oww!" Mariana giggled at him, and held out her hand. "Well?" Howie placed his hand upon hers, and grasped it a little. "Yes, I am...more than anything." Howie and Mariana walked to the dance floor, and began to dance to a slow song. "This is nice, Howie..." Mariana said, while placing her head upon his shoulder. Howie slowly placed his arms around her waist, with only a sigh from her. "Yes, it is..." As they were at the very core of the dance floor, the other dancers watched them in awe. She then placed her head on his chest, with her arms wrapped around his neck. "You're a wonderful dancer, Howie..." she said in a whisper. "So are you, baby..." Mariana stopped moving. "What did you say?" Howie stopped as well, and looked down at her. "Uh...I mean...Mariana. Sorry." "It's ok."
Chapter 5 by KevinsChickadee
After being on the dance floor all night, Howard and Mariana decided to go back to his hotel room. Mariana walked in first, taking her heels off. "God, my feet are barking right nowr30;" Mariana sits on the bed, rubbing her feet. Howie took his jacket off, and placed it on the couch. He turns around, and sees her massaging her feet. "Need a little help? I'm told to give good massages." "Could you, Querido?" Howie stopped dead in his tracks. "Di--Did you just call me Querido?" Mariana smiled at him, and crooked her finger to make him come to her. "Yes, silly. Now, massage to your hearts' content." Howie walks over to her, and kneels down at her feet, massaging them. Mariana threw her head back, sighing of contentment. "Mmm...that feels so good..." Howie looks up at her, biting his bottom lip. "God, she sounds like she's enjoying this..." he thought. he thumbed over the bottom of her feet, adding a little pressure. "God, you're great at this, Howie..." "Than--thank you..." Mariana continued to moan in satisfaction. "Keep going...please..." He started to sweat at the brow. Howie quickly wiped it off. and continued. She starts to wiggle her toes, probably signaling him to stop, which he did. "Are you tense anywhere else?" Mariana gets up off the bed and she walks to the bathroom. Howie stands up, looking at the door with wonder. Minutes later, she came out in nothing but a towel. "Oh, my..." Howie stayed where he was. He never saw her in a towel...let alone in his presence in a towel. "I want you to massage my back...anyway you can..." His head was spinning. The thought of him touching her almost drove him insane. He had to, no, he wanted to touch her mocha colored skin, but then he couldn't. He felt that something so tender, so vibrant, and so pure shouldn't be touched by any man, and left for nothing. "Howie?" Howie snapped out of his thoughts. "Yes?" "My massage?" "Hmm? Oh, yes...lie down, please." Mariana turns around, and lowers the towel. Howie looks on, but still doesn't move. She lies on her stomach. "Could you lower the towel a bit, please?" He walks over to her, and slowly lowers the towel to her buttocks. "If you have any special oils, don't use them. I want you to just use your hands." "Done." Howie massages her shoulders, receiving a moan from Mariana. "Mmm...lower..." As he goes to the small of her back, she slowly throws her head back, moaning with her mouth closed. "That feels...so....ohhh...to the left..." "Is she teasing me?" Howie continued, adding more pressure to her shoulder blades.

"I'm gonna go and get some beer, man," said AJ, leaving the lobby. "Can you bring me one, J?" "I'm sorry...I can't give beer to minors." That caused Brian and Kevin to laugh their asses off. "Fuck you, AJ!" "No." Nick groans, slumping in his seat. "That shit ain't funny, y'all." "Uh...yes, it was..." said AJ, before heading out. He had to go to the mini bar, which was on the third floor. He got out of the elevator, and walked down the long hallway. His ear tensed up, for he heard a moan in the other room. "The hell?" "Right there...Ohhh..." "Hey....someone gettin' busy like hell...yea! Let's listen." AJ places his ear to the door for a better listen. "Howie...you're so good at that..." AJ jumped back. "Howie? Howie?? Oh...my God..." AJ backed away, and headed to the lower lobby.

Mariana covers herself with the towel, and gets up. "Thank you so much, I needed that." "Glad to be of service to you, my dear." Mariana walks to him, leaning in to kiss his cheek, but he stops her. He takes her hands, pulling her close. "Howie..." "Mariana...these past few months have been the best I've ever experienced...I know that I've known you for a short time, but it's...it's like I've known you all my life..." "And I should say the same to you..." Her hand caresses his face, thumbing his plump, kissable lips. "Mariana, I..." "Yes?" "I just...I..." "Yes....?" Howie cups her face in his hands, and leans in. She looks deep into his eyes, and then slowly closes them, slightly puckering her lips. As he leans in to place a soft, warming kiss upon her lips, he stops. "I...um...goodnight, Mariana..." As Howie backs away, Mariana looks at him. "When are you going to--you know what? Never mind...Goodnight, Howie..." she said. She turns around, grabbing her dress and shoes, and leaves the room. "Maria--" she slams the door. Howie puts his hands in his pockets, looking up. "What....the FUCK is wrong with me?"
Chapter 6 by KevinsChickadee
It was the next day, and the Boys were at the lobby eating breakfast. "Rockin' concert last night, eh?" asked Brian. "That's not all that was rockin'." said AJ. "What do you mean?" Kevin asked, after drinking his orange juice. "Uh, nothin'. I ain't sayin' nothin' to the fact that Howie and that Mariana chick was fuckin' last night." "WHAT?!" AJ flinched slightly. "J, you have GOT to be kidding me. You're not bullshittin' us, are you?" "No...I would never lie about this...Howie and that girl were gettin'...it...on." Kevin sits back, rubbing his temples. "The girl is 18 FUCKIN' years old!" "Kevin, calm down..." "I refuse to! Howie should know better than that!" "Look, we don't know if that's true, Kev. We have to hear it from Howie's mouth, rather than Sound Off over here," concluded Brian. "Hey! Kiss my a--" Nick throws a strawberry at him. "You son of a--" "Here he comes..." Howie comes downstairs, head hanging down. "What's up, D?" asked Nick, turning to him. "Nothing much...I think Mariana's mad at me..." "I wonder why..." Brian hauled off and smacked AJ in the back of his head. "'EY, bro'! The hell was that for?" Kevin sits back in his seat, looking at Howie. Howie turns to him, for he felt his eyes on him. "What?" "Howie...we need to know the truth. Did you, or did you not have sex with that girl?" Howie gets up quickly. "Excuse me?" Kevin gets up as well, slight anger in his green eyes. "I said...did you...or did you not have sex with that girl?" "No! Why would you say such a thing? Mariana's my friend...who said I did?" Everyone's eyes turn to AJ. He has a piece of toast hanging out of his mouth as he looked up. "What up?" "AJ, you're an ass..." stated Nick, getting up, walking outside."Why would you lie like that?" "It wasn't a lie! I heard that girl in there moanin', sayin' "Right there...to the left..." "I was giving her a massage..." Howie said slowly so that AJ could comprehend. "......oh. uh...oops?" Howie shakes his head at AJ, before leaving the lobby, heading back to his room.

He wasn't hungry. He didn't even have any feeling within him whatsoever. The only thing that he felt was Mariana's possible anger. The tone of her voice was the only proof of it. He wants to talk to her, and yet, he didn't. He feels that he should leave her be, and give her peace. As Howie stands in front of his door, he takes a deep breath. Howie opens his door, and to his surprise, Mariana was there, sitting on his bed. "Mariana...what are you doing here?" "Howard...we need to talk." Howie embedded his hands in his pockets, walking to the bed, sitting next to her. "Um...about last night...I'm sorry if I seemed upset...it's just..." "Yes?" "I know what you're up to." Howie looks up from the ground, and looks into her eyes. "What do you mean?" "I can read you like a book. You have been trying to kiss me for the last 3 months, and every time you try, you stop. It upsets me at times. If you're going to kiss me, just do it. And if you're not going to, then stop trying." "Mariana, I'm sorry...it's just that...well..." "What?" "You're right. I have been trying to kiss you...but it's that inkling in the back of my mind that tells me something." Mariana reaches into his pocket, taking his hand out, entangling her fingers with his own. "And what's that?" "That you're 18." "So?"

"Mariana, I care for you...so much so...but I can't help it. It's there." She looks at him with a puzzled look on his face. "I see...let me ask you something...have I said anything at all to the fact that you're in your 30's?" he looked down on the ground, and said in a whisper, "No..." "Then what's the difference?" Howie takes her face, and cups it in his hands. "Nothing, Querida...nothing..." She looks in his eyes, blushing slightly. "When you were giving me all of these gifts, surprises, and a place to stay, something told me that..." "That what?" She looks back at him, staring him straight in his light hazel eyes. "That you loved me." Howie was taken aback at what she said. It was as if she read his mind, followed his every step, and read every single page of his trying to win her heart. But did it work? "Mariana...It's true...I do love you...more than words can say. You mean everything to me, and when I am not around you, a part of me is dead." "Maybe it's that time to do it now, Howie." "Do what?" Mariana scooted closer to him, and turns his face to her. "Kiss me..." Howie smiles at her, starting to lean in. She meets him halfway, their lips pressed together for a sweet kiss.

Night had fallen, and the gang of 6 decided to have dinner in celebration of their completed North American tour. "I'd like to propose a toast," began Kevin. "To us...for finishing yet another successful tour. Cheers." They all clacked their glasses together, and then applauded Kevin for the nice toast. Howie and Mariana were looking at one another, holding hands. Kevin noticed as such, but he didn't like it one bit. The fact that Mariana was only 18 really bothered him...and also the fact that he thinks Howie should know better than to have her as his girlfriend. It didn't seem right to him at all. Kevin knew that they were seeing each other, he's even seen them kiss from time to time. He had the urge to pull Howie aside and simply tell him that what he's doing isn't right. "This was a wonderful dinner, guys. Thank you for inviting me." she said, ending her statement with a sweet smile. "The pleasure is all ours, my dear," said Howie, taking her little hand in his, kissing it. This caused her to turn a slight apple red. "Um, Howie and I will be right back. We're gonna get some more shrimp..." "We are?" Kevin just gazed at him then tilted his head to the direction of the buffet. "Yes, we are...I'll be right back, Mari..." She acknowledged him with a smile. Howie and Kevin were away from their table. Kevin said, "This has got to stop." Howie became instantly confused. "What are you talking about? What needs to st--" "You and Mariana. For God's sake, she's only 18 years old, D!" "Kevin, what we do is our business...and OUR business alone..." "You have the sheer balls to come out and talk to me like that..." "You shouldn't be uncomfortable about this. I love her, and if you don't like it, that's too ba--" "End it. Today." Kevin walks off after staring at Howie coldly. He just stood there, not knowing what to do. He walks to the table, and sits next to Mariana. "Are you ok, D?" Howie looks up at Brian, weakly smiling, trying to hide his emotions. "I'm alright..." Mariana picked up on his feelings in a flash. She knows when Howie is alright, or when he's all the way down-in-the-dumps. "I'm going back to my hotel room...I'll see you all in the morning before we take off to New York..." Howie gets up, and walks up to the elevator, stepping in, going to the 4th floor. Mariana's eyes never left him until he disappeared from sight. She then saw Kevin against a pole, drinking wine. "I'll be back as well..." Mariana excused herself, and walked to where Kevin was. "Kevin Richardson." she began, with a hint of anger in her voice. This caused him to turn around. "What did you say to Howie?" "I don't know what you're talking about, kid." "Don't call me that!" AJ, Brian and Nick turned to the direction of Mariana's voice.

"What did you say to him? huh? What did you say to make him leave the booth, Kevin? Tell me!" Kevin then looks at her again. "I don't answer to you, or anyone else. I'm standing by my beliefs." "What beliefs? What are you talking about?" "The fact that you're too damn young to be with Howie...you're just a kid, Mariana..." "No, I'm not. If you haven't noticed, I'm very mature for my age, and I know what to watch out for! I'm not stupid, or being stupid...like you're being right now...so do me a good favor, and leave me and Howard alone..." As Mariana started to walk away, Kevin grabs her arm, pulling her to him. "Don't you ever talk to me like that, Mariana, do you hear me?" Mariana hauled off, and slapped him square in the face. The sound of the impact made AJ and the gang turn around, shocked. "And don't you EVER put your hands on me..." Mariana storms off to the direction of the elevator, and heads to the floor Howie was on. Kevin placed a hand on his cheek, rubbing it, watching her walk away.

Howie sat on his bed, looking at a photo of their first date. He had the ultimate time of his life. He didn't want to let Mariana go, for he loved her so, yet he didn't want to ruin his friendship with Kevin. Mariana made it to Howie's room, and softly knocked on the door. "Howie? It's me...can I talk to you?" Howie slowly got up, and opened the door, seeing his little girlfriend stand before him. "Mariana, listen..." "No, I talk, you listen, Querido." Howie put his hands up in surrender, and walked to the bed, sitting down. Mariana stands over him. "Howie, why didn't you tell me that Kevin disapproved of us being together? If I've known that, then I wouldn't still be here." "No," Howie held her hand, placing it to his chest. "I don't care what Kevin says about you. I love you, Mariana, and nothing, and I mean NOTHING is going to change that." Mariana smiles sweetly at her man, leaning in for a loving kiss. "I don't ever want to lose you, Querida...you're it for me, you know that?" "I do now, Howard...I do now."
Chapter 7 by KevinsChickadee
“Why can’t you see that they’re in love, man?” “Because it’s not right, Brian, and you know that!” Kevin snapped. Brian has never seen this side of Kevin before…ever. And it scared him half to death.

“Kevin, you need to relax, alright? Now, I have my beliefs as well, but when I look at Howie and Mariana, I see love…all you see is a sin.” “Yeah…you’re acting as if she’s your ex or something.”

Kevin turns to AJ, giving him a cold stare. “What did you say?” “I said you’re acting like you were with Mariana before…did you two have a past?” “What? No, we’ve never met in the past…” “Then leave her alone, Kev…let her and Howie live their own lives and make their own mistakes. They’re adults.”

“No, she’s not, Brian, and you know that!” “For God’s sake, Kevin, just leave them alone!” shouted Nick from the back of the room. Kevin turns around, seeing him walk up, anger in his eyes. “I have heard you bad mouth them for the past 4 months, and this has got to stop. I have kept my silence for the very last time. They are in love! And if you can’t see that, then that’s too damn bad! Plus, you’re just jealous because Howie’s in love and you have nobody to call your own!”

“THAT’S ENOUGH! I have had it up to here with your mouth…ALL OF YOU! If I say they need to end it, then so help me God it’s gonna happen!” And with that, Kevin stormed out of the restaurant, heading up to the elevator, going up to his staying quarters for the night.

“I’m gonna use the bathroom, hun,” said Mariana, getting up from Howie’s bed. “Alright, my dear…” He sat up, watching her walk out the door. For the first time, in a very long time, he was happy and very much in love. Mariana was the best thing that ever happened to him as far as he’s concerned.

Though they’ve only known each other for nearly 5 months, it’s as though he’s known her long before. He’s even been contemplating in proposing to her, but that’s too fast.

Plus, what would Mariana think? Sure, they have a deep love for one another, but she might believe that getting married is a bit too soon. “I guess I have to wait it out,” he thought.

As Mariana was walking down the long hallway to the bathroom, she sees Kevin in the distance. Trying to ignore him, she continues to walk down the hall. “Mariana!” “Damnit…” she thought to herself, cursing at the fact that her ignoring the big ass plan didn’t work. Mariana walks away from the bathroom, and walks to him.

They’re standing face to face for a long while, but then Kevin broke the silence. “Listen, Mariana, I—“ “Save it, Kevin. I don’t want to hear a word you have to say to me.” “Mari, you have to realize that what you two are doing isn’t right. I mean, you don’t know any better.” Mariana looked up at his face in confusion. “I beg your pardon? ‘I don’t know any better?’ Do I look like I’m 5 years old to you? Do I?” her voice escalating slightly.

“Yes, and that—“ “Shut up…” Kevin stood back, and looked into her fire fueled eyes. “What did you say?” “I said shut up! Number one, you don’t know me, and number two, you have no right to judge me! Do I make myself clear?! I refuse to be disrespected by you, or anyone else who believes I ‘don’t know any better’! I get enough of that from my ex, and my family!” “Mariana, I—“ “Just leave me alone…” she storms off towards the direction of the bathroom, leaving Kevin pondering.

Mariana returned to the hotel room, and sat down on the bed. Howie looked up from his book, smiling at her. “Is everything alright?” She turns to him, and crawls up toward him. “Yes…everything’s fine…” she leans up to him, and softly kisses him. Inadvertently, he tosses the book against the wall, and wraps his arms around her. She runs her fingers through his thick, curly locks, deepening the kiss a little.

Howie’s hands then traveled from her waist, to her shoulders, pulling the spaghetti straps down. Mariana breaks the kiss, and looks into his eyes. He leans in, and kisses her shoulders lightly, then her neck, moaning as he went. With his hands still on her shoulders, he starts to lift the blouse off, but waited for her response. She nods in affirmation.

As he takes her blouse off, he is met by her ample bosom. He bit his lower lip, trying his best not to touch them…though the temptation was too much. Mariana blushed slightly, for she’s half naked in front of him, and so many things were going through her mind at once. “What do you want me to do?” she asked.

“Anything you want, Mariana…it’s your call, not mine.” “I want you to hold me…while we’re unclothed.” “Are you sure?” “Yes…I want just that…” Was she serious? “Mariana, I want to be absolutely sure that you want to do this…” “I don’t want to make love. I’m not ready yet…I just want to be consoled…to be held…ok?” “Then that is what you’ll get, mi amor…”

Mariana stood up, and took off the rest of her clothes. She fidgets a little, trying to be comfortable in front of her loyal boyfriend.

Howie stood amazed at her beauty. He didn’t know what to do at first. The only thing he did was let his thoughts and imaginations go to vast territories. He sits up, and also takes off his clothes, and getting under the covers. Mariana walks toward him, and gets under the covers as well.

As she gets comfortable, she takes a deep breath, and turns to Howie, smiling. “So…what now?” “Let the consoling begin.” He scoots over to her, and wraps his arm around her soft shoulders, kissing them again. She sighs against the feel of his lips upon her skin. Her head sits upon his hairy chest, closing her eyes. “I love you, Mariana…” he said in a whisper. “I love you too, Howard…” they both drifted off to a soundless sleep.
Chapter 8 by KevinsChickadee
There was no choice but to do it. He had to. If he didn’t, he wouldn’t have a future with her at all. “I would like that one, please…” he asked the cashier. “Are you sure, sir? You wouldn’t like to have this one? With the encircled diamonds and rubies?” Howie looks closer at the jewelry, and smiled. “This reminds me of Mariana’s necklace…the one her mother gave to her…” “I’ll take it,” he said. “A wise choice, sir. That’ll be $21,307.” “Dorough, are you insane?!” Howie turns to him, smiling. “Yes, I am insane. Insanely lovestricken. I’m not going to let this woman go, Brian. She’s worth every penny.” Brian surrendered, and put his hands in his pockets. Howie wrote a check for the vast amount, and gave it to the jeweler. “Thank you, sir!” As the jeweler walked off, Brian turned to him and said, “Is she really gonna say yes?” “I really hope so, Brian…I really hope so…”

After purchasing the very expensive engagement ring, Howie and Brian drove back to his apartment, knowing that she'll still be there. "I can't wait, Brian...I just can't wait..." "Don't worry, man, we're almost there." As Brian parked the car, and turned the engine off, Howie zoomed out of the truck, running up the apartment steps. As he finally makes it to his house, he opens the door, and slams it. "Mariana! I'm home!" Nothing. Just silence. He calls for her again. "Mariana!" Still nothing. Immediately, Howie began to worry. "Where could she be...? Mariana, sweetheart!" He runs to the steps, and calls out her name. Still nothing but silence. "Where is she?" While walking back to the living room, he sees a note taped to the coffee table. He reads what's inside the folded pink piece of paper:

"Dear Howard,
Please, do not hate me for this. My family is going back to Puerto Rico, and they told me to come with them. I tried to explain that I want nothing to do with them, but yet they didn't listen. By the time you read this, I will be at LAX airport, going back with mi familia.
I've told them about you, and said that I shouldn't be with you, because you're 31, and 'I don't know any better.' I've given up on telling anyone that I am an adult with the right to make my own decisions. I wish that we could work things out, but my fam--"

Howard heard enough. He grabbed his coat, and rushed out the door, getting in his Durango and driving to the LAX airport.
"I am NOT losing you, Mariana...I WILL NOT lose you..."

"Thank you, ma'am," said Mariana, grabbing her Coach ticket for Puerto Rico. She walks over to some seats and sits down, waiting for her flight. "If only we could have met on different circumstances...I wouldn't be leaving," she thought, sighing. "Flight 305 to Puerto Rico is now boarding." "Well, that's my new life calling..." As she gets up, grabbing her bags, she hears someone calling her from a distance. She turned around, and sees Howie running towards her, grabbing the sides of her arms. "Why?" "Howard, I have to go..." "Mari, you don't have to go anywhere...you're a grown woman!" "Then why don't I feel that way, huh? Why is it, that everytime I speak my mind, people shit on it? Huh? Answer me that!" Howie just stood there, not knowing what to say. "Please, don't go." was the only thing that he said to her. "I have no other choice, Howard..." As she starts to turn around, he grabs her arm, pulling Mariana towards him. "Yes, you do, Mari...I refuse to let you go all of a sudden...I won't let you go...I won't do it." She snatches her arm away from him. "They won, Howie...they won. If I can't make my own decisions and my own mistakes, what else is there, huh?" "Me. Mariana, I love you from the bottom of my heart, and I don't know what I'd do, had you got on the tarmac..." "Last chance: Flight 305 to Puerto Rico is now boarding." Mariana looks back, then at him. "Goodbye, Howard Dorough..." As she started to walk away with two heavy bags, Howie dropped to his knees, and said, "Marry me." Mariana stops, and drops her luggage. "What did you say?" "I said, marry me...por favor..." Her dainty hands were balled up in fists. Howie didn't understand the fact that she has been through Hell and back, and she doesn't need things thrown at her right now, especially marriage.

"No."

Howie's ears perked up. "What?" Mariana turns around with tears in her eyes. "Howie, I can't...I can't marry you...I'm--" "Flight 305 will now depart in 5 minutes." "I have to go...I'm sorry..." "No, Mariana, don't go, please!" Mari picked up her luggage, and walked away, and up the tarmac.

Howie's tear-filled eyes followed her every step as she walked all the way up to the platform. She turns around, looking back at Howie, who was little by distance. She mouthed the words, "I love you", and turns back around, walking into the plane.

Little by little, Howie's heart began to break. He had lost the true love of his life, and didn't think that he would ever go on without her.

He was now damned without her.
Chapter 9 by KevinsChickadee
"More strings...yes, that's it. A little more guitar..." Howie's in the recording studio in Orlando, working on his first solo venture. It had been 3 years since Mariana walked out of his life, and nearly left him a broken man. Though he has felt like his life had no meaning whatsoever for that long a time, to feel whole again, he had bounced back to his first love: music. He had recorded a song entitled, "Welcome To My Heart". When he read the lyrics, the thoughts of his past love flooded back into his mind. All these years, he tried so hard to forget Mariana, but everything came back at once, thanks to a lyric sent to him.

"Darkness falls, I thought I heard you call...
Or was it just a dream?
I'm a little scared, knowing you're out there
So far away from me...
It's been so long since you've been gone
Everyday I miss you more.
Now, I want to know, why did you have to go?
What were you looking for...?"

The lyrics itself tore him in half. It was clearly something that he just couldn't take anymore. "Excuse me..." "But, Howie," began Karen, his producer. "You have to finish the album by next Friday, and we can’t push back the due date any longer!" "I just need to be alone, alright?!" Karen, and the rest of the crew looked at him in awe, a saddened awe. "Go on, Dorough," she said, sitting back down, watching him leave the studio.

Silence overcame Howard’s condo. He hated that silence. He wanted it to go away, and to never come back. He missed the noise. He missed Mariana’s laughter. Howie wanted to hear it again, but he knew that he wouldn’t. Mariana was gone, and for three years, he never stopped thinking about her. He wanted to know where she was, what she was doing, and worst of all, who was she with? “I hope that the person she’s with right now would treat her right…” he thought, sitting down on the couch, looking down at the floor.

The doorbell rings, and he really didn’t want to get up. “Please, just leave me alone…” he said to himself, walking towards the door. Upon opening it, he received the surprise of his life.

“Long time, no see, don’t you agree?”

It was Mariana, the love of his life who had left him long ago, only to come back. Howie still stood there, shocked. She giggled a little, and said, “I came back, because I wanted to get something out of my chest. Walk with me?”

Howie and Mariana walked hand in hand in a nearby park, baptized with the warm, summer breeze. She turns to him, and said, “I missed you, Howard…you have to understand why I had to leave…” “I missed you too, Mari…I just wish you didn’t have to go…it’s been too long. Three years too long.” “I know…”

He steps in front of her, and holds both of her hands. “I don’t want to lose you again, Mariana…” he steps back, and looks her over. For a 21 year old woman, she still looked the same as she did years ago.

Her hair was still long, and her skin was still the same color. Nope, nothing changed on her at all. She was still the same beautiful woman he fell in love with. Howie goes into his pocket, and takes out a narrow gold chain with a diamond and ruby studded ring around it. Mariana looked at it in amazement. “Is that the…?” “Yes, it is…well, was…” "What do you mean, 'was'?" "Mariana, you broke my heart. That's just that. I haven't heard from you in 3 years...three long years, and you show up all of a sudden?"

"I expect you to be mad at me, Howard...and I'm sorry for what I did. My family was more important than you and I at that point." "How could you say that?" "Well, what else was I going to say? I had to leave." I became frightfully angry towards her. Not to the point of doing harm, but just really upset. I mean, she was gone for three years without a phone call, a letter, nothing. She just disappeared. Without a trace. "No, you didn't. You were forced to leave America for your bullshit family, an--" "How DARE you call mi abuela bullshit?!" I stood my ground looking at her.

Didn't she say that her father and stepmother took her away because of me? "The reason why I left was because of my grandmother. I started to become homesick, and when I received a letter from mi prima that she was on her death bed, I had to go. I didn't have time to sit and talk to you about it. That's why I left."

"But you did not call me..." "I had my hands full with my grandmother...I knew you wouldn't get it..." "Mariana, I do...you loved your abuela, porque fue como tu madre...." "Si...she was like my mother..." I held her hands, and intertwined them with mine own. "I am so sorry for saying your family suckered you into leaving me..."

"My grandmother loved you. I would talk to her non-stop about you. She really cared for you, even though you never saw her...or will never get to see you..." "Oh, she sees me, Mariana...she's with your mother, looking down upon you and me."

Mariana gripped my hands lightly, looking into deep into my eyes. "I never stopped loving you, Howard...and even though you’re still pissed off at me, then I don’t deserve you.” As she was about to turn around, I quickly grabbed her arm, which made turn back to me. “I am no longer mad at you. How can I stay mad at someone who has changed my life for the better?”

I touch her face, and smile. She placed her hand upon mine, and smiles back at me. “And I care for you, so much…” She grabs my other hand, and took the necklace, twirling it around her finger. “So, what of this little trinket?” She speaks of the diamond ring attached around the little strip of gold around her little finger. “Well, I don’t know…” I unwind it, and free the ring from the precious loop. “Maybe I should do this first…” I put the necklace in my pocket, and bend down on one knee. In an instant, tears streamed down her pure face, as she steps back a little.

“Mariana, I never want to lose you again. You are everything to me, and when you’re away, I’m nothing. You, along with God, are the one that keeps me going, what keeps me alive. I need you with me for always…”

I take her hand upon mine, and kiss it softly. She is still left speechless. “Mariana Rodriguez, will you marry me?” She bends down to me, and kisses my lips lightly. “Yes…I will marry you…a thousand times, yes!” As we both stand up, we are together, as if one, in a tight embrace along with shedding tears. As I put the ring on her finger, I feel her hands shaking. “Never you worry, my dear,” I say, “I’m the one that will never harm you. Never.”
Chapter 10 by KevinsChickadee
“Are you ready, D?” As I pull my head put from the toilet, I turn to the door. “Just give me a min—“again, I eject all of my food from this morning, and early afternoon. I have NEVER been so nervous in my life. Here I am to marry Mariana Rodriguez, the love of my life, and here I am, tossing my cookies.

My nerves are shot, and my body has become numb, mostly because of me hurling. I finally gather up the strength to get up, gargle with the strongest mouthwash, and clean up after myself. I stand in front of the door, and take a deep breath. “As soon as I walk out of this room, I’ll be a married man.” I say to myself. I am ready to take that step, that one dip into the marriage pool, and be forever happy.

The church was hushed, awaiting for the music to begin, and for my future bride to ascend down the aisle. I stand in front of the priest, my hands shaking in a folded position. “Do not be nervous, my child,” Father McGregor began. “It can’t be helped, Father.” “My little Howard’s getting married…” I hear my mother say in the front pew, a near whisper. I turn to look at her, along with my father, who is holding her frail hands, trying to calm her down. It was to no use.

I see my sister, along with her husband, giving me the thumbs up. I’m glad that she had found happiness in her producer of her previous album. I guess even men can’t resist the Dorough charm at times. At the opposite side of the pews, I see my “brethren” smiling back at me. I was even surprised to see Kevin sitting with them. He, all of a sudden, had a change of heart, and now believes that it doesn’t matter how old you are, or where you came from, that the love that one shares is important and strong.

Then, the sound of the organ infiltrated the entire church. Upon turning around, I see her...in flowing white. I was astonished...speechless...dumbfounded...call it what you like. I never thought I would see the day of watching my future wife walk down the aisle, and here she is floating to me. My mouth was halfway open and my palms began to sweat.

I've been around this woman for ages, and yet, I still get that familiar tingle everytime she's around me. Closer and closer she came, and very slowly the butterflies entered my stomach, flying around in a frenzy. The organist ended the song, and my beloved is now standing beside me. "This is it, Howard..." she began in a low tone. "In the eyes of our friends, as well as in the eyes of God, we will be married...we'll be husband and wife." "I know...I never thought this day would come..."

"Dearly beloved..."

Mariana and I stood in front of one another, looking in each other's eyes. The preaching of the priest heightened both of our spirits, and when it came to our vows, we turned back to him.

"Howard, you have written a few vows for the bride?"

"Yes..." I reached out, and held both of her hands. "Mariana...God, where to begin...when I first laid eyes on you that night, I thought 'she could be the one for me...' but at the same time, I wasn't so sure. All my life, I only thought about myself, and making myself happy, never minding everyone else. It was you that changed everything, Mari. The way I think, the way I acted...all of that changed when you came into my life. Mariana, from this day onward, I will honor, respect, and cherish our love as if it is my life. This is a promise: a promise that I will always hold dear to me...forever.”

Mariana didn’t utter a word. The only thing she could do is cry tears of joy. “Howard...” she finally spoke. “You mean everything to me as well...what have I done to be close to you, and be a part of your life? You have given me the ability to love again...you too, have changed my life for the better...I love you...”

her voice weakened and her eyes began to well up with tears. I see my little cousin walking towards us with the wedding bands. He looked so handsome as the ring barrer. Mariana and I both took the rings, and stood there admiring them for a moment. “I...I can't believe that this is happening...” “Me either, Mari...”

I was the first to slip the ring onto her dainty hand drenched in a white, lace glove. Shakily, she takes my hand, and slips the ring on my pinky. Smiling lightly, I become her guide, and I help her put the ring on the correct finger.

“Sorry...” she whispered. “It's alright, my love...this is new to us, and we have every right to be confused and shaky...”

“Howard, do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife? To honor, and cherish? To love more than anything else in your life, as long as you both shall live?”

“I do. Most definitely.”

“And do you, Mariana, take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband? To honor, admire, and love, for as long as you both shall live?”

She looks into my eyes, and gives me a lop-sided smile.

“I do...”

My heart was beating so fast after she said those two words. For a moment, I thought she would say no, but you know me: I want to make things completely sure, and I wanted to know if she felt the same way about this marriage. Would she be ready, or would she leave me again for another three long years?

“If there's anyone here that opposes to this blessed union, let them speak now, or forever hold their peace.” We both looked around the cathedral, and for a moment, no one said a word. Thinking back, I'm glad that Kevin finally changed when he did, or none of this would transpire. I look over at him and all I see on him is a smile. “Go on...” I see him mouth over to me. I lightly nod, then turn back to my love.

“Well then...by the power vested in me by the Holy Vanity Church, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride.”

As if I needed permission. At last, though going through many trials and endless tribulations, we made it. We are now together. We are now married. I pull her close to me, and I take her into a loving kiss. The sounds of cheers and applause infiltrated the room as our kiss never ended.

While laughing and holding hands, we run down the church steps, and out to the car. We're met by rice and white rose petals thrown at us. We get in the limo, and we kiss passionately again. I hold onto her hands as we kiss for the second time as a married couple.

“Howie?”
“Yes, my love?”
“Do you think we'll make it, you know, as a married couple?”
I look her in the eye, and say, “Yes. I know we will. And do you know why?”

She smiles, snuggling closer to me. “Why...?”

“Because we're built to last, Mariana. We are made for each other. Nothing and no one can say that we're not. Understand?” She lightly nods and holds my face into her hands. “Yes...I understand completely, husband...”

I love the sound of that word as she utters it. It's still hard to believe that we both took that step into the marriage pool, and that no one stopped us from doing so.

We are now in bed for the first time as a married couple. We're bathed in our nakedness, holding each other close. I know what you're thinking: we had amazing, orgasmic sex, and we're just holding each other afterwards. No. To me, it would dampen this moment. Don't get me wrong, I would love to pleasure my new wife, but at the same time again, this is not about me. I want to do this when she is ready, and since she's not ready yet, I understand.

“Howard...?” she says sleepily. “Yes, Mariana?” “I love you...so very much...” “And I, you, Mari...more than you'll ever know.”

I play with the feathery strands of her light brown hair, and softly sing to her until we both fall asleep.

At last, we both found what we were looking for: true love.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9294