The Truth about Love Is... by KevinsChickadee
Summary: Nick and Deanna’s life has been nothing but perfect these past few years. They share a perfect love, a perfect marriage, and they both have a little bundle of joy. But what will happen if a certain someone came into their lives…and change the course of marriage as we know it?
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Brian, Nick
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Domestic Violence, Violence
Challenges:
Series: Tainted Love
Chapters: 6 Completed: Yes Word count: 9102 Read: 9176 Published: 10/23/08 Updated: 10/23/08

1. Chapter 1 by KevinsChickadee

2. Chapter 2 by KevinsChickadee

3. Chapter 3 by KevinsChickadee

4. Chapter 4 by KevinsChickadee

5. Chapter 5 by KevinsChickadee

6. Chapter 6 by KevinsChickadee

Chapter 1 by KevinsChickadee
"Mommy! Mommy!" shouted little Cassie, jumping up and down on Nick and Deanna’s bed. "Come on! We gotta go to da zoo!! DA ZOO!" Deanna was the first to wake up, while Nick was still enjoying the fine life of slumber. Cassie crawled on top of him, and shook him. "Psst…Daddy…Daaaaddddy…." He was still sleep. It seemed like nothing was going to wake him up, until… "DADDY!!!" Nick sprung up, and looked around. "WHAT IS IT!? Is there something wrong?!"

Deanna and Cassie laughed at his actions, and tried to calm him down. "No, baby, Cassie wanted you to wake up. It’s past 11." "For real?" Nick looks at his alarm clock, and groans. "Damn…" Cassie gasps, covering her mouth with both hands. "Daddy…bad langee!" Nick picked her up, and gave her a kiss on the cheek. "You are so adorable, you know that? Daddy’s sawwy, Baby Girl," said Nick in a baby voice. "Daddy, I i’ 3 year old. I not a baby no mo’." said Cassie, smiling big.

Nick laughs, still holding her. "And that you are. So, you’re too old to go to the zoo today?" "NO!" Cassie said, and laughs hugging him tight. "I wanna see da pandas…" Deanna gets up, and walks to the bathroom, getting ready. Nick gets up, still holding Cassie. "Alright, alright…let’s go." "YAY!" Nick, Deanna and Cassie were walking down the sidewalk, heading to the car. "Come on! Slowpokes…" Nick and Deanna look at each other, smiling, then held hands.

"Have I ever told you lately that I love you?" "Yes, you do…" said Deanna, leaning in. "More and more each day…" Nick and Deanna shared a tender kiss in the middle of the driveway. Cassie was growing more and more impatient. "COME ON!" she shouted, jumping up and down. "WE GOTTA GO!" Nick and Deanna looked down, and walked to the car, both holding Cassie’s little hands. Deanna placed little Cassie in her booster seat, and got in sitting by Nick in the front seat. "Can we sing "99 Bobbles"? "She is so adorable…I’m glad we created her…" "So am I…"

Deanna smiled at him, then turned to her daughter. "We sure can, honey. You start it—" "99 bobbles ob pop on da wall. 99 bobbles ob pop…" Deanna and Nick joined in. They continued to sing the song all the way to the zoo. Nick, Deanna and little Cassie were at the zoo, looking around, seeing the incredible animals. Cassie was on Nick’s back, eating a strawberry ice cream cone.

"Wanna see the pandas?" "YES!" Nick puts Cassie down, and she runs to the lion, making faces. The lion looked at her as if she was insane. She pretended to roar, much to her parents’ awe. They were proud to create something so beautiful, and so wonderful. After staying at the zoo for at least a few hours, the Carter family walked back to the parking lot, getting in the car. Nick strapped Cassie in the backseat.

"Nick, I can’t drive back…my feet are killing me. Can you drive?" Nick smiled, kissing her on the cheek. "Alright, babe. Ready to go home, honey kitten? ""You bet!" Nick, Deanna and Cassie arrived home. Nick took Cassie up to her room, sleeping in his arms. Deanna sat down, and placed the back of her head on the couch. As she sighed, the phone rang.

"Hello?" "Hey, Dee? It’s Chrissie.""Hey, girl! What’s up?" "Nothing much, I was wondering if you’re up for a little get together tomorrow night?" "I have to see if someone’s free to watch Cassie. I’ll call to let you know. How’s Howie?" "Uh…Howie?" "Yeah…you’re fiancée?"
"Oh! He’s fine, I guess." "You guess? Chrissie, what’s going on?" "I’ll talk to you later." After that was said, Chrissie hung up.

Deanna felt that something wasn’t right, so she decided to go over her house. "Nicky? I’m going over to Chrissie’s house, ok?" "Alright, baby! Be careful!" Deanna grabbed her car keys, and walked out the door, getting in her car, driving to her apartment. Chrissie walks out of the kitchen with a can of whipped cream and a bowl of strawberries. "There, all set." "Is everything prepared, babe?" "Yeah!" she shouted back. As Chrissie lit the red candles on the table, the doorbell rang. "Goddamnit…" She wrapped up her robe, and rushed to the door.

Upon opening it, she saw Deanna standing there, much to her surprise. "Deanna, what are you doing here?" Deanna’s eyebrow rose in suspicion. "Um…I came by to see my best friend in the world. Why did you hang up on me like that?" "Dee, we can talk about this later. Right now, I’m kinda in a middle of something…" "Oh…OH! Hey…you were about to get your freak on with Howie, right?" "Uh…yeah…now you have to go."

"Chrissie, what’s going on in there?" As Deanna was moving back to the door, someone came out of the bathroom with a towel around their waist, wet from the head down, and it wasn’t Howie.

Deanna stood there with her mouth open, looking at Chrissie, and back at Kevin. "Chrissie…what the hell is going on?" "Maybe I should go…" said Kevin, starting to walk to the bedroom. "No. You stay. Deanna, don’t you dare tell a soul about me and Kevin." "Chrissie, how could you do this to Howie? He hasn’t done a thing wrong to you, and you cheat on him?"

"Dee, it’s complicated to explain, alright? Please, just don’t te—""Dorough has the absolute right to know about what you’ve done…I can’t believe you…"

Deanna storms out the house, and slams the door. Chrissie stays where she is, looking down at the carpeted floor. She didn’t want it to come to this. She didn’t want anyone to find out…not even her best friend. "Don’t worry, Chrissie…Deanna won’t rat you out. You’re her best friend, and she would never do that." "I hope not, Kevin…" Chrissie stated. "I certainly hope not…"
Chapter 2 by KevinsChickadee
"And Kevin came out?" "Yeah…I can’t believe her! Why would she hurt Howie like that?" Nick sits on the couch next to Deanna, rubbing his temples. "I don’t know…I mean, he surely moved on quick after he found out about you and I." Deanna got up, and walked to the phone. Nick looks over at her, and gets up as well.

"Deanna, what are you doing?" "I’m calling Howie…he deserves to know abou—"Nick takes the phone from her hand, and sits it back in its holster. "Nick, why did you do that?" "Deanna, it’s much better for Howie to find out, than for someone to actually tell him the news. Just let everything take course, ok?"

Nick was right. She didn’t want to start anything on Chrissie’s behalf. "I’m gonna head for bed, baby. You comin’?" Nick walks to her, and kisses her lips. "You bet I am…it’s been a long day…" Nick takes Deanna’s hand, and walk up the stairs together.

It was a cool, sunny, Saturday afternoon. Deanna and Nick arrived at Howie’s club, Sudden Erotica. Howie and Christiana were behind the counter, doing paperwork. As Howie walked away from the counter, he’s met by the couple. "Hey, guys!" Howie exclaimed. Chrissie looks up, and sees them talking to Howie…her stomach churning. "Oh God…" she thought. "Please…PLEASE don’t say a word…" The gang walked to the bar, and sat on the stools, chatting away.

"So, Howie, why are we here?" "To see nekkid babes, right?" Everyone turned to see AJ standing by the doorway, shades tilted to his nose. "No, Alex…I just wanted to have a little get together with my closest friends. How long has it been, exactly?" "Going on 4 years, I think," stated Deanna, taking a sip of her Bloody Mary. "Man…long time, eh? How’s married life?" "Perfect, as always…" said Nick, holding Deanna’s hand, kissing it.

As Deanna blushed to a near crimson red, she noticed that AJ wasn’t alone. "BRIAN! BRING YOUR ASS!" "Boy, don’t yell at me! Damn…" Just then, a man walked into the club, and walked over to everyone. "Brian, what’s up, man?" Nick and Brian exchanged high fives, hugging. Deanna had gotten a closer look at him.

He stood at least 5’7, and he wore a black t-shirt and blue jeans. His hair was blonde, and somewhat curly. He had a beard that was visible, but went perfectly with his thin, yet slightly puckered lips. He also had on a silver cross necklace that glistened with the hanging chandelier of the club. Secretly, she examines this stranger. Though he was one of Nick’s closest friends, she had never been introduced to him. She bit her lower lip while he was walking towards her, sitting next to her.

"I don’t think we’ve met. What’s your name?" "It’s…it’s Deanna…" Brian smiled at her, seeing her shyness. "I like that name. You’re a lucky man, Nicky Boy." Nick just looks at him. "Don’t call me Nicky Boy…please." Deanna takes another swig of her drink, looking at Brian. "God, he’s delicious looking…" she thought. She once again bit her lip, trying to look away…and can’t.

Nick noticed this. "Babe. Babe?" She still looked at him, intrigued by his physique and good looks. "DEE!" Deanna jumps in her seat, quickly turning to Nick. "Huh?" Nick saw that she was in a daze, but brushed it off. He walks to her, and wrapped his arm around her, whispering in her ear. "What do you say we get out of here…I feel like playing a game…"

Deanna turns to him, and weakly smiled. "As much as I want to, I’m not really in the mood for it…maybe later." Nick drew back slightly, looking at her oddly. "Um…ok…I’m gonna go…" Nick gets up, and walks out the club, absentmindedly leaving her.

"Nick, come back!"

Nick stopped, looked back at her from shoulder view, and continued to walk out, getting in his Durango, driving off.

"What the hell?" Christiana walked to Deanna, and placed her hands on her shoulders. "Maybe he didn’t feel too good." "Maybe you should mind your own business," Deanna snapped back. "Deanna…" she leaned down to her knees, away from Howie’s hearing range.

"Please, don’t be like this. Forget what you saw last night, and—""How in the Hell am I gonna forget? You’re a heartbreaker!" Howie, AJ, and Brian turned around, looking at the two. Christiana swallowed, looking at her supposed fiancée. "Tell him." Deanna mouthed to her. AJ and Brian looked at each other, wondering what they missed. Deanna walked to the door with Brian following her.

"Um, are you alright?" She turned to him, and was met by his lustrous sky blue eyes. "I’m fine…it’s just…I’m fine…" "It’s alright, you don’t have to talk about it. Listen, do you want me to drive you home?" "Could you?" Brian smiled at her and walked out of the club, getting in his car. She gets in, sitting next to him, rubbing the interior of the car. "Nice ride, Rok." He turns to her, leaning in a little. "Please…call me Brian." Deanna blushed, hoping that he didn’t see. Brian started the car, and drove to her house.

As Brian parked the car in the driveway, he looks at her. "So, how long have you been married to Nick?" "A little over 3 years…three happy ones…heh…" She didn’t know why she turned into a ditzy school girl right in front of him. She felt totally embarrassed. Deanna and Brian walked to the door. They turned to look at each other. "Thanks for driving me home." "Now, you go and talk to Nick. He’s usually not like this at all…" "You’re right. I will. Thanks again."

Deanna turned to the door, and unlocked it, walking in. Upon entering, she saw Nick sitting on the couch, watching TV in thinking mode. "Hey, baby…" she said, walking to him, sitting down. "Hey." He said in a near cold tone. "Ok…" she takes the remote from him. This caused him to look at her face.

"What is wrong? Why are you giving me the cold shoulder, and not only that….why did you walk out on me at the club?" Nick sighs, and says, "I have a lot on my mind, that’s all." "A lot on your mind, huh? Bullshit. You ditched me like I’m some sort of ho or something. I didn’t deserve that shit, Nickolas. Now tell me..." she gets closer in his face. "What’s...wrong?"

Nick gets up, and walks to the window, placing his hand on the glass. "Why did you turn me down? You never did that..." "We have sex every night. Can’t we just give it a rest for a while?" "No, Dee, I don’t wanna give it a rest. Come on..." Nick walks to her, and grasps the sides of her arms. "You know you want to..." he said in a deep, sexual voice with a hint of longing.

"Nick...please..." "Please what..." He leans down, and nibbles her earlobe, then buries his face into her neck. "Nick, stop." she said sternly. He quickly springs back up, looking into her eyes. "Deanna, what the fuck?" he said, with slight anger in his voice. "Didn’t I say I don’t want to? Are you that hard of hearing?"

Nick presses her against the wall, his gaze beginning to become very serious. "Maybe I am...maybe what you’re saying to me is going in one ear and out the other...Come on, Deanna...I know you want it..." Deanna pushes him away, looking at him in disgust. "Is that why you married me? Just to get your rocks off at every chance you get?"

Nick just stood there, looking down at the ground. "You know that’s not true...I married you because I love you...it’s just that we need to–" "Slow down on sex. And I agree. I’m going out." "Deanna, that’s not what I– Deanna!" "I'm ending this conversation, Nick...don't wait up on me." Deanna slams the door after walking out. "Damn it!"

"How long has this been going on?!" shouted Howie from his office, talking to Christiana. She had just broke the news to him about her adulterous affair with Kevin, and Howie was, of course, not pleased.

"I said..." he grabbed her arm, pulling her to him. "How long?!" "Three years..." she said in a whisper. "What was that?" "We had a three year affair, alright?! I’m sorry Howi—" Howie pushed her away, and turned his back to her. "I can’t believe you did this to me, Christiana...what have I done to deserve this shit?" As Christiana was about to place her hand on his shoulder, he snatches away from her. "Don’t you dare touch me, you...you whore!"

Christiana just stood there in shock. Howard Dorough, the one person that loved her more than life itself, called her the one name that he would never utter to her.

"What...what did you call me?" "You heard what I said...why don’t you go and be with him, since you’ve been his slut for 3 years–""THAT’S ENOUGH!" Howie and Christiana turned around, and saw Kevin standing in the doorway. "That is enough, Howie. You know damn well that she’s not a whore...you even calling her that is an insult to you and her! You owe her an apology. Today."

Kevin walks to Howie, staring down at him. Christiana holds her arm, looking away at the two men. "Never." "I said..." Kevin grabs Howie by the chest of the shirt, and pulls him close. "Apologize." "YOU are the one that owes me an apology, you backstabber! You were supposed to be my friend, and you sleep with my fiancée?" Kevin lets him go slowly, and steps back. "You told him?"

She looks at him behind the desk. "You can thank Deanna for that." As she starts to walk off, Howie stops her. "Wait just a Goddamn minute. Give me the ring back." "Howie, we can–" "GIVE ME THE RING!" Ever so slowly, her heart began to break.

"Howard...Querido...please..." "No. I’m done with you. I want you out of my club...and out of my life." She walks to him, and places the 18 carat gold diamond ring in the palm of his hand.

"You...were my everything, Christiana...the one person that I thought I could trust...and honor...and it’s been destroyed for three years behind my back. I’ll see to it that every little piece of shit that’s at my complex is out by nightfall." "Howie, you can’t do this–" "I can, and I will!" he shouted. "Now...get out. Both of you." Christiana ran out the office with Kevin at her coattail. He tried to catch up to her.

"Christiana, wait a sec..." She turns to him. "Kevin...I want to be alone, ok?" "But--" "Please...leave me be a while..." Kevin surrendered, and slowly walked away from her, heading to his car, driving away from Sudden Erotica. Christiana walked past AJ. He noticed the fact that she was wiping away her tears, and had to know what was the matter. He gets up, grabs her arm, stopping her from opening the door.

"Chrissie, what's going on?" he said with the sound of concern cradled in his voice. "Me and Howie just broke up. I..." AJ turns her around, and holds the sides of her arms, rubbing them softly. "He what? Why?" "Because I was unfaithful to him. Because I'm a whore...because I'm Kevin's slut..." "No no..." he takes his shades off, and looks into her eyes. "You are none of those things, understand? How long has your thing with Kevin been?" "Three years..."

"Ouch. You two need to work this out." "He won't listen." "Then I'll talk to--" "I just told you: he won't listen. He's pissed beyond recognition, and he doesn't want to talk to anyone...I never wanted it to be like this...what happened between Kevin and I just...happened...out of the blue...I need to go..." As she was about to open the door, AJ tugs at her arm. "I don't want you to go anywhere by yourself, C." "AJ, I'm a--"

"Grown woman. I know that. But this is L.A. ...in the dead of night. Trust me?" Christiana looks down, then back up, smiling at him. "There's that smile I'm lookin' for. Wanna come over to my house, or...?" "Sure. I'd love to come by...since I..." "What?" "Since I have nowhere else to go..." As Christiana started to lose it all over again, AJ embraces her, smoothing her back. "It's gonna be alright, Christiana...everything will be fine..." She clings onto AJ's t-shirt, and cries her heart out.
Chapter 3 by KevinsChickadee
Meanwhile, Deanna walks down the street with her hands in her pockets. "Fucker...sometimes I wonder why I even married him..." Deanna stops at a house, and sits on the stoop. Her knees were to her chest, and her arms were wrapped around her legs.

The wind began to howl, and it pierced through Deanna's thin jacket. She held herself tightly, trying to keep warm, but with no luck. She decided, thanks to the cold weather, to go back home, and face yet another argument with Nick. As she got up off the stoop, she sees someone through the screened window. A faint, 'God, it's so damn cold' was heard after the window was closed.

She got a closer look at the person while walking to the porch window. It was Nick's best confidant: Brian. "Brian?" He stops at the window, and sees Deanna standing at the door, shivering. As he opened the door, and gasps. "What are you doing out here? It's nearly 20 degrees out there!" "I...I needed to get away...f---from Nick, and..." "Say no more...come in here..."

Deanna, still shivering, walked into the house, and closed the door. She sat down, immediately taking off the cold, thin jacket. Brian walks back into the living room, and walks to her, wrapping a wool, electric blanket around her.

"Thank you..." "What were you doing out there?" "Me and Nick had a fight, so I left. It was abou--" "Sex?" Deanna looked up at him. "How did you know?" "He tells me every little tidbit about you not givin' him any in a while. How pissed he gets when he doesn't get any sex at all...childish. It's like a little boy wantin' sugar everyday." "I can't believe he tells you these things..."

Deanna holds her face in her hands, sighing heavily. Brian sits next to her, taking her hands away from her face. "Don't let him get to you, Dee. From what I see it...he only wants you for one thing..." "But there are times when he's never like that. Why is he like this now?" "Ain't no tellin'," he concluded with a slight thick Southern drawl.

"Do you wanna spend the night here?" "No...no, maybe I should talk it all out, like you sai--" "Please..." Brian places a hand on her knee, and rubs it. "Forget for one night that you're upset at your husband, and relax..." Deanna looks up, and meets his radiant, blue eyes once again. That alone calmed her down. She takes off the blanket, and turns it off. "You've done too much for me already, Bri."

"This is how I always am for the people I care for. I'mma show you to your room, ok?" "Thank you..." Brian and Deanna stood by a door, looking at one another. "Thanks again for this. I wasn't really in the mood of seeing him tonight." "Quite understandable. Now, you go and rest, and I'll see you in the mornin', ok?" "Alright...goodnight, Brian..."

Deanna leans up, and kisses him on the cheek. As she draws back, she looks into his eyes, immediately lost in the blue orbs. She turns to open the door, but he grabs her hand, pulling him to her. "Deanna...I..." "Yes...Brian...?" Seconds later, he started to lean in to softly kiss her, hopefully making all, or some of her problems, vanish without a trace.

He stops, leaning back to his position. "Goodnight, Deanna." He slowly lets her hand go. She looks down at her hand, then at him, staring at him in wonder. Deanna then turns around, and opens the door, walking in, closing the door behind her.

She sets her back against the door. Her heart was pounding hard. Her blood rushing through her veins in a frenzy. She never felt like this before...not even with Nick. "Do I have feelings for Brian?" She asked herself. She didn't want to think nothing of it.

Maybe, she thought, all of today's events have finally caught up to her, and have made her delusional.

Or maybe, or even possibly, she does have feelings for Brian...but does she want them within her? On that same night, Deanna and Brian couldn't sleep. They both tossed and turned, only to wake up in the middle of the night.

Their thoughts crept into their minds while they slept, and all they could do was ponder. Brian gets up, and walks to the door. Deanna gets out of bed, and opens her door, walking across the hall, standing in front of Brian's door. "Why in the hell am I here?" she thought. "I don't know what's gotten into me..."

Deanna absentmindedly placed her hand on the door, and on the other side, so did Brian. "What has she done to me?" Brian thought. He wouldn't dare fall for his best friend's wife. He couldn't. Even though he had met her for a brief time, it felt to him as if he'd known her all of his life.

Deanna and Brian stood against the door for a long time, caressing the wood of it. They both turn around, propping up against it. They both lean back up, and get back into bed, snuggling against their sheets, falling asleep. Nick sits on the couch, impatiently waiting for his wife to call. Cassie, rubbing her eyes, came downstairs.

"Daddy?" she said sleepily. "Where's Mommy?" "Mommy went out for a while." "When will she be back? She didn't read me my bedtime story..." Nick sighs under his breath, then turns to his daughter. "I don't know when she'll be back. Now, go back to sleep..." "But Daddy..." "Go. Now."

Cassie walked slowly up the stairs, looking sad as she went. Nick threw his head onto the couch, huffing. "Why isn't she calling me...?" Nick takes the phone out of its holster, and calls Deanna's cell. No answer. Nick became to get even more impatient. Every time she crosses his mind, he becomes enraged. "Deanna...where the hell are you...?" It was the very next day, and Deanna woke up from her deep slumber.

For a long while, she hadn't slept that good, because she was always up all night thanks to Nick's hormones. She didn't understand him at times. She loves him, from the bottom of her heart, but there are some times where you have to draw the line on CONSTANT love making. "A woman can get tired...and sore..." she thought while getting out of bed. Upon walking to the door, and opening it, she smelled coffee brewing downstairs in the kitchen.

She inhaled the earthy aroma, and headed down the steps. She saw Brian in the kitchen, starting breakfast in nothing but a black tank, and black jeans. She bit her lower lip while walking in. "Good morning, Rok..." "Mornin' to you too, Dee..." he said in his infamous Southern drawl.

"Would you like some coffee? Maybe breakfast?" "I would love some coffee, but I can't stay for breakfast." Brian sat a blue coffee mug down, and poured some coffee into it. The steam smacked her dead in the face.

"Is that Columbian?" "If Folgers is Columbian, then I guess so." Deanna laughed at his comment, and sipped some of her coffee, and sighed. "This is delicious..." Brian sat across from her, and folded his hands. "Do you have to go back?" Deanna looked up, and met his vibrant blue eyes again.

"Unfortunately, I have to go back...I have a daughter to tend to...and a long argument ahead, but I'll try to avoid that from ever happening..." "That's good. Want me to drive you there?" "That would be great, Brian...thank you..." Brian drove Deanna back to her house. She looked out the window, looking at the front door.

"I don't know what I'll be met with once I open that door..." She said, turning to Brian, who held her hand, clasping it lightly. "Nothin' serious, I hope. Just tell him you were with me. He can trust me." "Thanks again, Brian...for taking me in...For everything..."

Deanna leaned in, and gave him a kiss on the cheek. As she pulled back, their eyes met again, love beginning to form in each orb. As they were leaning in to kiss one another, Deanna pulls back. "I’ve got to go..."

Brian slowly nods, and turned back to the street, starting the car after she got out, and drove off. Without her knowing, Nick was looking out the window from their bedroom. "That bitch..." he muttered to himself, walking away from the window, closing the blinds.
Chapter 4 by KevinsChickadee
Deanna walks up to the door, putting the key in its slot. Upon opening the door, she stood face to face with Nick...an angry Nick. "Where the fuck have you been?" "Hello to you, too..." "Don't play smart...where the fuck where you?!" "Why are you yelling at me?" "You didn't call...you didn't tell me where you were...you had me worried sick..." Deanna just looked at him. "Alright, fine...I was at Brian's house, alright? I wanted to get away from you, so I went to his place, and I--" "Fucked him?" "What? No! I spent the night at his place, nothing happened! I'm not some whore that you picked up off the street, Nickolas..." "I'm starting to think that." "And another thing, if I---what did you just say?" Nick walks up to her slowly, and grabs her arms. "You fucked my best friend, didn't you? DIDN'T YOU?!" His grip on her arms was tight...excruciatingly tight. "Let me go..."

"Not unless you tell me the Goddamn truth...did you have sex with him?" "I told you, no!" Suddenly, he strikes her hard in the face. "You're a fucking liar!" Deanna slid down against a wall, looking up at him in shock. "You hit me...you fuckin' hit me..." "That's what you deserve..." The noise of their arguing woke up little Cassie. "Mommy...?" Deanna looked up, and got up, walking to Cassie, picking her up.

"Hey, baby...you wanna go somewhere with Mommy? Huh?" Cassie nods sleepily. Deanna looked back at him. "That will be the first, and only time you ever put your hands on me..." She takes Cassie upstairs, and puts some clothes in a suitcase, along with her own. "Where we going?" "Away for a while, honey. Get dressed." Cassie puts her shoes on, and ties them up, then walking to her mother. "See? All done!" "Yeah…that’s great, baby…" she said, wiping away her tears. "Are you ok, Mommy?" Deanna turns to her daughter, who has no knowledge of what her father had done. "I’m fine, sweetheart…are you ready to go?" "YES!" she said, holding her arms out. Deanna picks her up, dragging her suitcase along with her. As she goes downstairs, she sees Nick against the door. "Where the hell are you going?" "Away from you…now move." "You’re not going anywhere…you are my property…" "I am NOBODY’S property, and you know that! Now MOVE!" she roughly pushes him out the way, quickly opening the door, running out with her daughter and suitcase in hand.

Meanwhile, Christiana now resides in AJ’s apartment complex. She lays on the couch, watching TV, her hands behind her head. AJ walks in with a glass of grape juice and a sandwich. He sits it in front of her, and smiles. "I hope you’ll enjoy Uncle AJ’s Snack Attack. " "I’m not hungry." She simply said. "Come on, C…you haven’t eaten in days. You’re wearing yourself down about this whole Howie/Kevin business." "Howie is my life…I can’t live without him." "If he’s willing to kick you to the curb, then you don’t need him. Hands down."

She didn’t want to be preached about her lack of a love life, but deep down she knew that AJ was right. "It’s Howie that can’t live without me. It’s me that needs to guide him when times get rough on his end," she thought, sitting up, picking up the sandwich. "Atta girl! Now, tell me…" AJ sits next to her, rubbing his knees. "How did this three year thing with Kevin begin?" After taking a bite of her sandwich, she coughed a little, then turns to him, sighing. "Remember when I found out that she was pregnant with Cassie?" "Yeah…" "Well, Kevin wanted me to find out what was wrong with her, and when I did, he came over to my apartment. I broke the news to him, and he wasn’t pleased one bit. He got so pissed, he punched a hole in my wall…I then calmed him down, telling him that she had feelings for him from the start." "Go on…" AJ began to get really interested in what she’s telling him. To him, this was gossip in all its glory.

"He was about to leave…but then I got lost in his gaze…then one thing led to another, and we…" "Made cookies?" She gives him a serious gaze. "Be serious, Alex. And from there on in, we kept seeing each other secretly. He said he was having the time of his life, and that there was no one else he’d rather do this with." "Wow." Christiana laughed at his response. "Is that all you can say? ‘Wow’?" "Well…yeah. It’s hot!" Christiana playfully hits him, and gets up, walking to the window. "Now, I don’t know what to do…I mean, Howie doesn’t want to be with me…he thinks I’m a whore…I want to go back to Kevin, but—" "You still love Howie." She turns to him, smiling weakly. "Exactly. What am I going to do?" "Talk to him." "What if he’s not going to listen to me?" "Trust me, C. He will." Christiana smiled at him, and gives him a hug, and a kiss on his cheek. "You’re such a great listener, AJ. Thank you so much for taking me in…" "Anytime, C…want me to drive you there?" "Yeah…thank you."

"He did what?!" Deanna shows him the near red welt on her face. "His ass is mine!" Deanna grabs the sides of his arms to stop him. "Brian, that won’t be necessary. Violence only begets violence, and I don’t want anything else to erupt on my account." "You didn’t do anything wrong, Deanna…he has no right to lay a finger on you!" "Calm down…please…" Brian holds her face in his hands. "I can’t calm down, not after what he’s done to you…I care for you too much for anything to—" Deanna looked into his eyes. "What did you say?" "Dee, I care for you…I always have. I don’t want anyone, not even Nick to harm you…I hate to see you get hurt…"

"And I don’t want you worrying about me, Bri…I’ll be ok." Brian just looked at her. He couldn’t believe what she was saying to him. His ears didn’t want to believe that she still loves him after all he’s done to her. "You still love him…don’t you?" Deanna looks up at him again. "Right now, Brian, I’m not sure if I exist to him anymore." "I don’t understand what you’re saying." "I’m saying…" she then takes a deep breath. "I’m saying I’m divorcing Nick. This whole marriage was a huge mistake, but I wouldn’t take back one thing…" "What’s that?" "She’s right there…"

Deanna and Brian turn to Cassie, taking out her Barbie dolls, starting to play with them on the couch. "I love her with all of my heart. I don’t want her anywhere near that man." Brian couldn’t believe what he just heard. All this time, she thought that Nick was the world to her, that he was her everything. Those thoughts were then squashed by her announcing divorce. "So, what are you going to do?" "I was thinking of staying here for a while, if it’s not too much trouble." "You’re always welcome here, Deanna, you know that…" "Thank you, so much…" She walks up to him, and holds him close, giving him a light kiss. Bewildered, Brian looks at her, not knowing what to do. "I...I…you’re welcome, Dee…" After acknowledging him with a smile, she takes her belongings and goes into the vacant room, calling Cassie to come with her.

After hearing the wise man talk to her, she decided to go talk to Howie. Not knowing what good it’ll do, but she wanted to give it a shot. "It’s worth a try," she thought to herself. Parking the car in front of his house, she exits the car, and runs to the front door. As she was about to knock, she stops herself, her fist in mid-air. "Maybe this is a mistake coming back here…" she said to herself. "This is wrong…"

As she was about to turn around, the door opened. To her surprise, Howie stood before her, leaning against the doorframe, arms crossed. "Hello…" "Hey…listen, can we talk?" "What about?" "You know exactly what…about us, Howard…" "As far as I’m concerned, there is no ‘us’. Please don’t waste your breath on something that’s dead." As he was about to turn around and go back in the house, she quickly grabs his arm. "Don’t you dare say that…you know all too well that this marriage isn’t over…you need me." Howie just stood there for a few seconds, and began to laugh. "Me? Needing you? Chris, you’re not my sole provider! I have a life outside of you, and you know that! I have my club to keep me company…" "Is that right?" Howie nods. "Well, tell me this? Does your precious club keep you warm during the cold, winter nights? Does your club tell you that you look so handsome in the clothes I pick out for you? Or rather…does your club give you excellent love making each and every night?" "Can you please leave?" "Answer me. Because I am not leaving without an answer…"

"Howie, who are you talking to out there?" Just then, a woman walks out of the room, standing behind Howie. Christiana’s eyes shifted to the mystery woman. "Who’s this?" "I’m his girlfriend…who the hell are you?" Chrissie’s eyes then switched gears towards Howie. "Girlfriend? We’re NOT even divorced, and you have a girlfriend?!" She hauls off and slaps him hard in the face; a red welt quickly develops upon his cheek. She storms off toward her car, getting in, starting it up. "Why you…!" "No….let her go…"
Chapter 5 by KevinsChickadee
Kevin sits down on a swivel chair with a glass of wine and a good book. "I wonder how Chrissie’s holdin’ up…" he thought, taking a sip. Though he knew that she was married to a stubborn Howie, he loved her more than anything in the world. He couldn’t shake her loose. He would give her the world if he could, but expenses are tight for him right now.

That night, he didn’t want to let her go, and that he didn’t want her to be alone.

The door rattled with the banging of a fist. Kevin quickly gets up, and runs to the door. Upon opening it, he sees a broken Christiana standing before him. She embraces him tightly, pouring her heart out to him. "He...he has a girlfriend...a FUCKING GIRLFRIEND!!"

He pulls back from the embrace. "What?" "He moved on...we didn't even sign the papers...why is he doing this to me?!" "Shh...it's gonna be alright....everything will be fi--" "NO! It won't, Kevin..." "Chris, why should it matter to you now? We're together...does that count?" She looks up at him, teary eyed. "Kevin, Howie is my husband...my husband! I'm not letting that die..." "Letting what die? That you still want to be with him, despite of him calling you a whore? Because there's no need in dragging this shit out any longer. In my opinion, he doesn't deserve the title of husband."

Chrissie stepped back, looking at him. "How...how could you say that?" "Christiana, he's a fucking jerk! He treated you like shit in the past, and believe me, I've seen it! Think about it!" "I don't need this shit from you, or anyone else, alright?!" As she was about to leave out the condo, she's instantly stopped by Kevin's firm words. "Think about it. Just think about it, that's all I ask. He never loved you...you were his dime piece, a trophy to make him look good. You are more than that, Christiana...I know you're more than that..."

She turns around, looking down at the carpeted floor. "You...you really mean that?" He walks toward her, holding the sides of her arms. "More than life itself, Chris...I love you." No longer crying, she looks up at him with a smile that he first fell in love with. "I love you, too..." They share another warm embrace and mutter soft, tranquil words to one another. "He doesn't deserve you...he never deserved you..."

Brian watches over Deanna and Cassie as they slept. She was now safe from the hands of her 'loving husband'. "That sad, son of a bitch..." he muttered to himself. "I am not letting this stand...I don't care if she doesn't want me to...I have an ass to kick." After kissing both of them upon their foreheads, he leaves out the room, closing the door quietly. He runs down the steps, instantly grabbing his keys and coat, and sneaks out the house. "I'll show him a thing or two about layin' hands on a woman...especially towards the people I love the most..."

Nick sits on the couch with a glass of wine in his hands. Though years ago when he went to rehab for his drinking problem, he couldn't shake the habit loose. First, it would be a glass or two of wine. Then 4 glasses...then, when he wanted to go the extra mile, the whole damn bottle. "Damn Deanna....cheating on me...the fuck does she think she is?" He puts the glass down and washes his hands over his face. Rethinking of the evenings' events, he knew surely that what he did was right. After all, in his surly mind, Deanna deserved that blow. "Open the motherfuckin' door, Carter...NOW!" He looks over at the front door, hearing Brian's voice at the other end. "Go away! You already caused enough damage..." "Not yet, I have..." he started to kick the door down, but couldn’t because it was metal. "OPEN UP!" "I said go away!" For a moment, it was starkly silent. Nick smiled for he 'scared him away'. "And good riddance..." He picks up his wine glass, and walks to the kitchen. The glass he held in his hand shatters as he's been struck by Brian's brass knuckles.

He then hovers over him, ready to strike him again. "Brian! What gives?!" "Why did you do it? Huh? Why did you hit Deanna? ANSWER ME!" "She..." he winces at the pain. "She deserved it...she cheated on me with you..." "Did you even listen to what she had to say? Did you?" "She's a liar...she's nothing but a liar..." Brian picks him up by his collar, and pushes him against the wall. "I told you...to never...EVER lay a hand on her...DIDN'T I WARN YOU?!" "Let me go, or so help me God, I'll call the police..." "Go ahead...call the police...I'll tell them that there was a domestic dispute a few hours ago, and Deanna can be more than willing to press charges." "You don't know shit! You don't know her...I do...I'm her loving hu--" His grip upon his shirt tightens.

His eyes changed to a darker shade of blue, anger embedded within them. "You don't know a damn thing about love! Loving someone is not slugging them in the face! You don't know anything about that! You were raised to hurt people...and just for that, she's divorcing you." Nick blinks a few times, and shakes his head, getting used to the new words planted in his head.

"She's...divorcing me?" Nick's limp body collapses on the ground. He grips the carpet, hanging his head down. "Th...this can't be...she can't divorce me...she loves me..." "Not anymore. What you've done to her was the last straw...I honestly don't know what she saw in you...I'm glad she's leaving your ass..." Nick slumps his weak body down to the floor, holding himself.

"She's...she's leaving me..." "And it's a great thing that she is...now, she can live her life the way she chooses to...without you in it." And that was that. No other words were said; no blows thrown. All that was left was complete and utter silence.

It had been two months since both of the ordeals took place that fateful night. There sat Deanna, looking down at the divorce papers on the coffee table. "I don't know if I should do this..." she thought.

"All those years...all the good times we shared...will be signed away..." picks up the papers, reading them over. "I...I can't do this." She sits the papers down, looking over at me. Signing on the dotted line wasn't hard for me. Since Howie wanted out of my life, that's all I had to do was sign myself away from him. I don't know why it's hard for Deanna. I mean, Nick has hurt her in the worse possible way, and now she's having second thoughts?

"Sign them." I say to her. Not looking at me, she shakes her head. "What is the matter with you?" "I...I just can't do it. Nick may have said those things to me, but in my heart, I--" "Don't you even say it. Don't you dare say that he didn't mean it...has he apologized to you? Huh?"

She turns to me, with tears in her eyes. I didn't want to look at that. Her showing sympathy towards someone who didn't give a rats' ass about her or Cassandra. "Did he...apologize?" "No...he didn't. He's been back at the rehab center, and hasn't called in God knows how long..." "You're expecting him to call you? Have you lost your mind? Deanna--" "Please...don't lecture me..."

I stand up, looking down at her in disbelief. "Fine. I won't lecture you...if you want to be slapped around by that motherfucker, then fine. I don't give a damn anymore..."and with that, I grabbed my purse, and walked out of her house. I didn't understand it. I thought that she would be completely over him. In my opinion, Brian is the one for her. He's been there for her since day one, and he's also the one that could help her open up.

"Hello?"
"Brian? It’s me, Chrissie. I need your help."
"Whatever for?"
"It’s about Deanna. She’s not going through with the divorce."
"I’ll be there."

I didn’t have to tell him where she was, because he already knew. For a long time now, whenever something’s the matter with Deanna, he’s always there. In fact, she almost let him in at one point...but quickly shut him out. She has to realize that the one person that she hardly knew, is the one person that will love her forever.
Chapter 6 by KevinsChickadee
Less than an hour later, a car pulled up to her driveway. Deanna looked up at the window, seeing a truck parked out front. "Who the hell...?" she opens the front door, and sees Brian approaching her. As he met up with her, he said, "We need to talk." She became utterly confused. "What do we need to talk about?" "Can I at least come in so I can tell you? I don’t want the neighborhood knowing about this." She stepped aside and let him in; they both sat down next to each other, her eyes staring at him in wonder. "So, you’re not going through with the divorce, huh?" Deanna lets out a deep sigh, and looks at him, shocked that he found her out. "Christiana has a big mouth..." "I’m glad she told me. You told me yourself that you were leaving him, why are you doing this?" "Doing what?" "Ruining your chance to live your life the way you want to?" "I AM living my life the way I want to, and I want to live it with Nick."

Brian stood up, and hovered over her. "You’d rather spend your life with someone that slaps you around, than with another person that can love you more than he supposedly did? That doesn’t make a lick of sense here, Deanna..." "What doesn’t make a lick of sense, Brian? That I don’t want to leave the man I love?" "YES!" For a few seconds, there was nothing but silence; silence, and two friends looking at each other with sheer focus. "I think you need to go..." Brian regains his posture, not moving. "Didn’t you hear me? I said, you need to go." "Oh, I heard you very well. I’m not going anywhere until you sign the papers. Think about it, Deanna...what’s the point in dragging this...this ‘marriage’ out, when you have someone around you that truly lo–" "That’s enough!"

Deanna quickly stood up, and got in his face. "Let’s get one thing straight, alright? You do NOT have the right to tell me how I should live my life, you got that? You are not my parents, and I will NOT take that from you, do you understand me?" Brian grabbed the sides of her arms, pulling her close to him. "No...I don’t understand...You need to let that man go." "No..." "No, huh? Don’t you realize that if you don’t walk out now, you’re damned for the rest of your life?!" "I’d rather be damned than alone, Littrell!" He stepped back, amazed that she’s actually standing by someone that hurt her in the worst way. She turned away from him, not wanting to look at his face any longer. "Why can’t you understand that I love you too much to–" She stops him at mid sentence. ".....what did you say?" Brian slowly walks up to her, his hands on her tense shoulders. "I said...I love you, Deanna...but every time I try to tell you, I chicken out, and forget about it. Why stay with a man that will constantly hurt you, when you have someone that loves you more than life itself right in front of you?"

She looked at the papers, then at me. Frankly, I don’t know what’s brewing in her mind after I told her my true feelings. My hands are still propped on her shoulders. Her eyes never left my face, her body weakened slightly. "You really mean that, don’t you?" "Yes, I do..." I whisper to her. "Why didn’t you tell me this sooner, Brian? You would have saved me a whole lot of pain and heartache." "Had I’d known that he harassed you, I would have. So...what’s it gonna be? Are you going to sign on the dotted line and start anew with me? Or forget about it, and end up in a morgue. It’s your choice."

Again, she gazes at the papers, and looks at me, then back again. "I....I don’t think..." "No. Think. THINK about what will happen if you and Cassandra stayed with him. Think of all the more pain you’ll endure again. Please, Deanna...think...for our sake..." My hands slowly glide down to the sides of her arms, gripping them lightly. Her eyes began to well up with tears, as did mine. "Please..." "Please what, Deanna?" "Please take me away from all of this..." Seconds later, she holds me close, crying onto my chest. As I hold her, I smooth her hair back, whispering in her ear. "I’m here, Dee...I’m here..." My heart broke for her...I could feel it, and it’s something I don’t ever want her to feel again. Nick never deserved this woman, he deserves to be alone. I mean, what was the whole point in proposing marriage, when all he does is make her feel like she’s nothing?

She looked back up at me, smiling. "There’s that smile I was lookin’ for..." "Brian?" "Yeah?" "Please, promise me one thing..." "Anything." She started to lean into me. "Don’t ever break my heart...and stay with me..." "I promise, Dee...I promise...everything will be alright from now on." And I kept my word. Still standing, we share a sweet kiss, and from that moment, our souls merged.

I’ve stayed with that woman for a long while. She finally went through with the divorce, and had Nick see Cassie from time to time. Truthfully, I didn’t want that sweet little angel around that man. In Deanna’s opinion, I was the best father figure Cassie ever had, and I plan on it to stay that way.

Never has she mentioned his name anywhere around me; she doesn’t want me to get riled up about what happened 2 years ago. We’re now lying in bed, snuggled against one another. As I was about to turn off the light on my side of the bed, she taps my arm. "Yes, darlin’?" "There’s something that I’ve been meaning to ask you." "What’s that?" "Well, we’ve been together for quite some time, and I was wondering...if you wanted to start a family with me?" "More than anything, Deanna..." I lean in, and softly kiss her.

"Good." At that moment, she flung the covers off of us, and I looked down, seeing a light bulge on her stomach. I look down at her stomach, then back at her, with a huge smile on my face. "Dee...you mean..." "They’re gonna be another mouth to feed very soon..." I grab her impregnated body, and hug her tightly. "You mean...I’m gonna be a father?" She nodded, and I hugged her again.

I couldn’t believe it. Already, this family is starting to grow, and hopefully more bigger with time. I always wanted to be a father, and now my wish has come true...and best of all, the one person I care about more than life is carrying it. I’ve never been so happy, and I’ve never seen Deanna so happy; she’s literally glowing.

Now, I know for sure that everything will be alright from now on: we have a new kid on the way, and best of all, our love for one another will never die.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9313