Mind Control by KevinsChickadee
Summary: Two modern day people, who shared a lifetime 500 years ago, fall for one another. But will an outsider interfere with their reunion?
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Howie
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: Yes Word count: 11161 Read: 5188 Published: 11/21/08 Updated: 11/21/08
Story Notes:
Feedback would be greatly appreciated of this story (and to all others that have not been reviewed.)

1. Chapter 1 by KevinsChickadee

2. Chapter 2 by KevinsChickadee

3. Chapter 3 by KevinsChickadee

4. Chapter 4 by KevinsChickadee

5. Chapter 5 by KevinsChickadee

6. Chapter 6 by KevinsChickadee

7. Chapter 7 by KevinsChickadee

8. Chapter 8 by KevinsChickadee

9. Chapter 9 by KevinsChickadee

Chapter 1 by KevinsChickadee
For some reason, this...voice can't escape my mind even if it tried. I don't know who it is or what it is, but it's starting to drive me insane. It's been running my life for God knows how long...wait, that's not true.

It's been running my life the night I had a séance with a few friends of mine. Believe me, I didn't want it to come to this. I didn't want to start conjuring up spirits and have them haunt me in every waking moment. My friends wanted to do this for fun; to see if the Ouija board would actually work. Unfortunately, it did.
“Come on, gather around,” Anya said to us as she sat on the floor Indian style. “This is going to be so fun. Avangellina, join us...”

“I don't think I want any part of that. That shit gives me the creeps...” “Avy, lighten up. This is only for fun. I don't believe in this bull, and we need something to do to relieve this boredom.” “Then why not watch a DVD?” “Because we don't want to just lay around, watch a movie and be even more bored. Please, join us?” Reluctantly, I sat down on the floor with Reline, my distant cousin who flew in from Massachusetts. “Fine. But if it gets too creepy, I'm quitting.” “We promise, it won't,” Anya said, taking the items out of the box.

We were in a circle, holding hands as we see the Ouija board staring us in the face. “So, how are we doing this?” Reline gave me a pamphlet with a few names to call on. “Try this one,” she said as she pointed to the name, “Dwaine Ciscough.” “Who's that?” I ask. “I don't know who he is, I picked him at random.” I nod, and look down at the name, then at the board. I had an inkling from the start that we shouldn't do this at all; we had no experience in calling the dead.

But since they said that it was just for fun, I simply agreed, but I still have that bothering feeling in the back of my mind. Again, we join hands, and close our eyes staying silent for a moment. Anya broke the silence, and began a druid like chant, “O, Dwaine Ciscough...we call upon Thee from beyond the grave...hear us...make us believers...” our hands were placed on the planchette, and we made it shift all around the letters.

Anya told us to repeat after her: she began saying things in Latin, which we all did in sync. I dare not repeat the words. “Please...come forth to us...findest thou way from the Heavens, and onto Earth. We mean you no harm, O lost soul...hear us...findest thou way to come to Earth...” Again, it became silent, but we continued to move the planchette around the letters. “Tell us,” Anya began.

“Where are you from...?” The triangle spelled out the word, “Ireland”. Automatically, the planchette began to spell out the sentence: “Why do you want to know?” I freaked out on the inside, but throughout the séance, I kept my cool. “We want to know all about you, Dwaine Ciscough...are you willing to tell us about your past?” The planchette spelled out, “No.” “Why?” Anya asked. I wanted this to end; I kept on thinking it.

I wanted to tell her to stop, and that I didn't want to upset the obvious spirit contacting her. “Because I don't have to explain myself to you, Stranger.” said the spirit. “Maybe we should stop this, Anya...” She didn't listen. “Anya...?” “Avy's right...this is creeping me out...” Reline said, starting to get up.

“Anya, come on, we're done playing this 'game'. Let's go.” She still wasn't responding. “Anya, what the hell?” “.....I'm not this 'Anya' that you speak of...” me and Reline quickly got up and backed away from her. We held each other, scared out of our wits.

“Wha...what have you done to Anya?” “She is resting at the moment,” she...or he said to me. “Do not worry, I have caused her no harm. Why have you called upon me?” “A..a few friends of mine were skeptical about the Ouija board, and...they wanted to be proved wrong...” “And they forced you into it, my dear?” “What?” Anya's body walked over to me, and placed her hands on my face.

“You...you didn't want to do this...you were pressured into it, weren't you?” I look away, not wanting to tell this spirit the truth. “You didn't...” he said. “I'm sorry that my friends bothered you, and--”

Anya's finger silences me. “Do not apologize, my dear...you've done nothing wrong. Have they been proved wrong now?” I lightly nod in affirmation. “Yes,” I look at Reline shaking against me. “They have been proved wrong, Spirit.” “Please, Call me Dwaine.” “Dwaine...” I whisper.

Just then, Anya's body jerked, and collapsed onto the floor. We hovered around her, biting our nails. “Wha....what just happened to me...?” she asks us out of breath. “Don't you remember what happened?” “No. What happened?” “The spirit that you called...he took over your body, and spoke to us...it was mad crazy! You sure you don't remember?” “If I said 'no', what makes you think I'll say yes when you ask me a second time?” “Geez...sorry...”

“Well, he may have silenced you while he took you over, but he didn't silence your nasty attitude.” “And what is THAT supposed to mean?” “Anya, we shouldn't have done this, alright? I don't know what's going to happen next, because you called upon a 500 year old spirit from the grave! I don't know if he's gone back or not...” “Avy's right...maybe we should, you know, close the portal?” “Guys, ghosts don't exist! I said we did this for fun, and that's EXACTLY what we did. I don't know why you guys are scared out of your wits, but NOTHING happened! Get it through your heads!” Reline and I just looked at her, shocked. I couldn't believe it: she was possessed by some unknown presence, and here she is throwing a bitch fit at us. We were beside ourselves.

“Anya, I think you should leave.” “Wait, you're kicking me out?” “Leave.” I say again with a bit more grit and force. At that moment, I didn't want to talk to her, let alone look at her. I dislike skeptics...or I just dislike girls who think they're the best thing since sliced bread, and have the right to talk to you in anyway they want. I don't have time for that mess. She grabbed her purse, and walked towards the door. “You're getting mad at me over some 'possession' session?” “Just go, Anya...”

Reline said in a soft, calming tone. She scoffed, and turned to walk out the door, slamming it behind her. I bend down and pick up the game and put it back in the box. “Surreal.” was the last thing Reline said before walking out the door heading back to her floor. “You don't know the half of it, cous...” I place the game back in the cabinet, hoping to NEVER go back to it again.

I went upstairs to my room, trying so hard to forget about what happened earlier. It was frankly hard to do, seeing that an ancient spirit overtook a 'friends' body for 5 minutes. I wonder if he was happy, you know, to be in a person's shell after being dead for 500 years? I would be if I was in his shoes.

Quickly shifting my mind towards something different, I get undressed, take down my hair, and put on one of my favorite evening gowns. Just then, the window flew open, and my drapes flowed with the warm, spring wind. Without thinking anything of it, I close the window, and walk back towards the bed.

“Avangellina...”

I turned around, knowing I heard someone, or something whispering my name. “Who's there?” I call out to no one in particular. Silence. I look around to hopefully find something, but came up empty. “Huh. Must have been the wind. I climb into bed, shutting the lamp off, and close my eyes. Little did I know that I was being watched...by him.
Chapter 2 by KevinsChickadee
Dawn. I open my eyes, and find the sun's rays stinging them instantly. I quickly shut my eyes and cover my face with my arms. “I can never get used to the daytime,” I say to myself.

I finally throw the covers off of me, and sit up stretching my arms and legs. I get up and walk toward the window and look outside seeing people coming home and walking out of their houses to go to work or whatever destination it may be. I close the shade, and walk out the door after grabbing my robe.

I couldn't believe what happened the other night. The thing was, I couldn't believe how Anya acted: being all cold and all. I mean, she'd have to know that she was possessed by the spirit, and yet, she flipped it all around saying that whatever happened, didn't.

Reline and I didn't lose our minds that night; we know what we saw. I really hoped that he went back to where he came from, whether it be Heaven or Hell. We didn't know what we were screwing around with, and last night proved that whatever we experienced will NEVER happen again. I go into the kitchen and pour me a cup of coffee to wake me up a little. For a second, it didn't feel like I was alone. In fact, it felt as though there was someone watching me . . .

I didn't think anything else of it, so I went back to drinking my coffee. “Ahh, what the hell?” I say to myself, when I felt a crisp breeze blow against my ear. I look around only to find no one in particular behind me, or in front of me. “Maybe the window is open in the den...yeah, that's it...”

I say to myself once more, forgetting the fact that it's 83 degrees and humid outside. Am I losing it? Have all of my marbles escaped the satchel? Maybe I'm just clearly hallucinating. Yes, that's it. Or the fact that I didn't get much sleep last night because of what happened. Maybe THAT'S what's making me feel a bit fidgety.

“Avangellina...”

Now, I KNOW I'm not losing it. Now I know I'm not alone. He's still here in my home, and all this time I thought he went back to his grave. I guess I was wrong. I get up, and look around to see if I saw anything out of the ordinary: an unfamiliar face, an item from the spirits' time, anything.

Nothing. Just his lingering voice. “Avangellina...do you remember me...?” “Who's there?!” I cry out with fear and strength loomed in my voice. Silence. “Who are you? What do you want?” I back away as if someone is approaching me, and yet no one was there.

“I am the one your friend called upon. The one that pressured you...”

“Dwaine.”

It was him, but where in the hell was he? “Where are you? Why are you still here?” “I am in your mind, Avangellina. I'm in a complete safe haven, and I like my stay here.” “Get out of my head, please...” I say in a weak tone whilst I grabbed my head. “I cannot do that. Not unless you really want me to.” “I DO want you to! What makes you think you can just infiltrate people's minds, huh? Answer me that!” “I've found an interest in you.”

Great. Out of all the men in all the free world, THIS one has to be 500 years old, and dead. And now, he won't leave me alone. “I do not believe that you want me gone, my dear.” I started to get angry at him. How can this per—spirit tell me what I want and what I don't want? Why can't he just leave me be? “Because I know that you care for me,” he said, knowingly reading my every thought. “What are you doing?” Suddenly, I felt myself being pushed forward, and I lean against the table. I feel soft hands brushing against the back of my neck.

“Now...I am here with you...and I'm not planning on leaving here anytime soon.” I turn around and I see a man standing before me wearing clothing from the Renaissance. His hair was cut short, and his eyes were a light honey brown; the kind of eyes that you can get lost in. He was in opacity; see through, and I couldn't touch him. "Avangellina. Until you say it...until you really mean the words, “leave me alone,” then I shall do it. But I know in your heart, you don't want me to.”

He's putting me up for an emotional challenge. Is this a joke? Of COURSE I want him to leave me alone. More than ever, because this is freaking me out! I mean, I can see the headlines now: “Young Floridian Committed.” What was I to do?

“Dwaine, I want you gone. Leave my home, and don't ever come back again.” I say in a forced, stern tone. “As you wish, my dear.” With a last glance, and a bow, he disappears from the kitchen. I slid against the wall wiping my brow. “Thank Goodness that's over,” I thought. Never again will I hear from the lost soul of Dwaine Ciscough. I was free, and my mind was no longer possessed.

Or so I thought.
Chapter 3 by KevinsChickadee
Author's Notes:
Whenever you come across the word "Tabh", the word is pronounced 'Tive' (common rule in Irish Gaelic.)
“Avy, you haven't touched your food. What's the matter?” How can I tell Reline about what happened to me the other day? How can I tell her about Dwaine never leaving my domicile? Why am I asking these questions as if she never even saw what happened previously?

“Huh? Oh, nothing, Relly...” she just looks at me knowing that something is clearly wrong with me. “Tell me, Avy.” “Reline, there's nothing the matter. Trust m---” “Avangellina. ..” I surrender. I flatten the palms of my hands on the table, and sigh heavily. “Alright...I' ll tell you.” I take another deep breath then look up at her face.

“Remember what happened the other night with Anya?” “Yeah...?” “Well, remember when he said that he left, and would never come back? Well, it turns out that he did...” Reline gave me a shocked expression. “You mean, that Dwaine Ciscough guy?” “YES...he never left, and he came to me yesterday morning. At first he was--” I silence myself, and wait for a young couple to pass us by. “Maybe we should talk about this outside?” I request. “Good idea.”

“So, he gave you a preposition?” “Yeah. He says that if I really meant for him to leave, then I would say it on my own time; when I'm ready.” “And what did you say?” “I told him to leave, and never come back.” “And did he?” “Yeah...” “Well, good...” as we continued walking back into the Cafe, I felt something that I haven't felt in a long time: guilt. A part of me wanted him to leave me alone, and yet...the other half wanted him to stay. Why am I torn between caring and avoiding something that has since died?

“Avangellina? Are you ok?” I turn to her and give her a fake smile. “Yeah, I'm good. Um, can you drive me home? I suddenly don't feel good...” “Sure thing, cous.” We head out to my car, and we both get in going back home. I look out the window and place my hand over the glass as she drove us back.

“Looks as if you have a lot on your mind,” she says to me while still paying attention to the road. “Yeah...a lot.” We drove past this flower grove that looked very familiar to me...have I been here before? I know I haven't recently but...something is telling me that I have. “This grove...” I began. “I think I've seen this place before. Have we been here?” She looks at me as if I was a bit insane.. “No, we haven't, girly. Are you sure you're ok?” I don't utter a word to her as I continue to look out the window. I don't feel him around me, but as I said before, I feel guilty for letting him go without thoroughly explaining himself.

We finally arrive at our apartment complex, and get out the car. “Avy, are you sure you--” “Reline, I'll be fine, ok? I guess I didn't get enough sleep last night.I'm just gonna go inside, and take a short nap. Don't worry about me, ok?” she lightly nodded and walked to the back entrance to her abode quietly. I let out a worrisome sigh and turn to walk into my living room. I collapsed onto the couch, and take off my shoes. The seat hugs me, and I reply by closing my eyes, instantly drifting off to sleep.



I open my eyes and find myself in a vast garden with stone sculptures as far as the eye can see. I begin to walk around, and I'm instantly taken aback by the beautiful yet alluring sight. From complete inspection, I see that it was the grove that I saw while going back home. I look down at myself and notice that I'm wearing a white evening gown with the skirt cut long. The top part of the gown was designed like a corset: white satin and lace nearly revealing my chest. My hair was long, though in reality it's shoulder length. I then realized that I wasn't the only one in this orchard...

“Avangellina. ..”

He's come back...

“We meet again, my dear.”

I turn around once more, and I see Dwaine standing in front of me wearing his Renaissance clothes, but of a different color. He took his hat off, and placed it to his chest, bowing to me. “You've returned,” I say to him as he regained his posture. “Are you surprised?” he asks me, meeting up with me for we were several feet away from one another. He takes my hand, and intertwining it with his. I became lost in his honey brown eyes lustering in the sunlight.

“Why are you in my dreams?” “Because I knew that what you said, you never meant it. I felt that you wanted me to stay a while...and that you care for me.” That was true. “Dwaine...I know you, and yet I don't know you...tell me that's crazy?” “It isn't to me...You will know the answer to your confusion in due time. Just please, let me be there for you.” I take my hand and caress his face lightly. “Dwaine, I don't know if I should--” “Just...do what's in your heart, my dear.” Do what's in my heart, huh? What is with these ultimatums he's giving me? That's easier said than done at this point. “Can...can you please give me some time to think? Please?” “I shall give you all the time in the world, Avangellina. ..I promise you that...” he walked up to me, and touched my face again. “Until we meet again...”

And I woke up.

I spring up from the couch, and look around trying to find him, but he was nowhere to be found. I run my hands agiainst my face, and let out a muffled groan. “I knew he'd be back...” I thought. I plop back down on the couch, and felt something crinkle as I did so. Underneath me, there was a folded note with purple wax with a Celtic cross imprint holding it closed. I quickly opened it up, and read what's inside.

“Alas, my love, you do me wrong, to cast me off discourteously. In fact, you have done nothing of the sort. I stole these lyrics from him, because no King can hold such a love as mine. His 'love' for Anne is mediocre compared to what I hold true. The question is this: do you love me like I love you so dearly? If you do, meet me tonight, and we shall rendezvous. We can do whatever you desire, and I shall do what I can to make you happy.

I do not know if you have knowledge of this, but I am an artist: I create lovely portraits for a living, but none of them can compare to you. You're beauty captivates me. If I may, could I please capture you into a white sheet of paper, and paint your astonishing, radiant beauty? I would be the most gracious if you'd let me. I will be at the Tabh Terrace halfway to the stroke of midnight. I hope to see you there, and that I may see your beloved face again.”

Yours hopefully entirely,

D.

I read the letter over again. “Why did he send this to me?” I thought to myself. “You will know the answer to your confusion in due time...” that thought lingered around my mind for quite some time. “This could be a clue or something,” I say to no one but myself. I look at the letter again, and look at the name: Tabh Terrace.

What is that? I say...my mind was in clear thought once more...the word “Tabh” is too close to the word “Tabu”, so that's probably where it---wait.. Why am I even TRYING to figure out a place that's obviously in ruins by now? But honestly, at the same time, I want to find him again. I know exactly where Tabu is; a friend of mine runs the place. Maybe he's there...just maybe...

“Forgive me father, for I haven't a sin, but a confession.” “What is your confession, child?” She clasps onto her rosary, and looks down at the confession box floor. “Well, I have a friend, and she is in dire need of assistance,” she began.

“I see...is she a lady of the evening?” “No, Father, nothing like that...you see, she has a spirit living in her home, and every time she tries to rid of it, the spirit comes back.” “I understand.. .is she of the Catholic faith?” “No, she isnt, Father. I was wondering if you could send someone to perform an exorcism, and get rid of whatever it is that's running her life?” the Father looked up and stayed silent in thought. “It is not that simple, my child. You see, I have to notify the Vatican, and I have to gain permission in order for an exorcism to take pla--”

“Please....do whatever it takes to rid of this matter...I am in fear of what it might do next.. He's already in control of her...” “I will do what I can...rest assured.” “Thank you, Father.” she crosses herself, and turn to leave the booth. She puts on her rosary, and walks down the aisle towards the tall front doors of the Saint Agosto Roman Catholic Church.

“I will get you help, Avangellina. ..” she thought to herself. “One way or another. I will not let him control you this way...NEVER.”
Chapter 4 by KevinsChickadee
I went to the library, so I can find out something, anything about Dwaine. I searched high, and I searched low, but I came up empty. I only had one solution: ask the librarian.

I walked over to her desk and handed him my library card. “How may I help you?” “I'm doing aresearch project for school, and I was wondering if you had any books or references on a man named Dwaine Ciscough?” he smiled and walked away from his desk; he led me to the History section of the library, and flipped through several books until he found the right one. “Here you are, miss: The History of Ireland's Great Painters, circa 1531.” He handed it to me, and I flipped through it a little. “Thank you so much...” I say and as he stamped the book, I walked into a private room, and started to read.

“Dwaine Ciscough was born in September of 1509 in Galway, Ireland. His mother and father were both slave laborers who escaped the crucial pain of working day in and day out. Patrich and Selstine Ciscough sent Dwaine to England so the country could bear him a better life. While he was growing up, he had a fondness of sculptures and landscaped artwork.

All his life, he wanted to become a recognized artist, and share his artwork to the world. In 1527, the King at the time, Henry VIII, caught word of Dwaine's accomplishments, and decided to bring him to court. He was chosen to become one of King Henry VIII's soldiers by the King himself because of his loyalty and his strong Catholic faith...”

I turned the page, and saw an old sketch of him when he was in his late teens. He looked so handsome with his sword on his sheath, and his stance perfected.

I continued reading:

“He was proclaimed as one of the best soldiers England ever had to offer. But unfortunately, things took a turn for the worst, when Dwaine, then aged 22, was thought to be a thief. Around 1531, he snuck into the King's quarters, and stole a scroll which contained lyrics to the song 'Greensleeves'. The song was written by King Henry VIII to solely win the love of one of Queen Catherine's Ladies in Waiting, Anne Boleyn. Dwaine never returned the scroll, for he planned to give it to his love interest: Avigaille DuVrin, a seamstress to the Queen.

“A letter was written to Avigaille, though there's no reference as to what the letter said back then. The note was never found; it was thought to have been burned, or just clearly rid of in order of the King.” “I don't think I want to read what happens next”, I thought, but I've gotten so far, I couldn't tear away from the book.

“Dwaine Ciscough was arrested, and charged for breaking into the King's sleeping quarters, and thievery of an important scroll. Before his sentencing, he stated, 'I only seized the scroll, so that I may profess my love for the Lady Avigaille. You, milord, are not the only one to have the honor of loving another. I haveth the right, and I shall have that right for the rest of my days. Kill me, if thou decidest, and claim yourself as proud. For, I hope that if you shall take my life, I pray that you will have everlasting disappointments in marriage...and childbirth. This I vow unto you.'

“Dwaine was brought to the what the commoners called, “the Chopping Block”, and was then executed by beheading. He was never given a chance to speak his last words, Last Rites, nothing. A swift kill, and nothing more. The onlookers were in grief and desperation. They were told that if they spoke about Dwaine in public, or around the King's presence, they too, would share the same fate. His remains were thrown into the Thames River for he was too sacreligious to be buried on Holy ground, or any ground for that matter. Some say that his soul was never laid to rest, and that it lingers on, and has done so for several hundred years.”

I covered my mouth and started to cry. “Oh, my God...” I collapsed my weary head on the desk, and cried my eyes out. “The letter...it was never sent to his beloved...but...” I take out the letter that was sent to me unknowingly, and read it over again and again. “This must be the letter that he tried to send Avigaille, but never could because he...died...”

“Now, you know the answer...” I heard a familiar voice say. Dwaine was nowhere to be found, but I believe that his presence was within me. “Why...why didn't you tell me you were killed?” “Because I wanted you to find out for yourself, Avangellina. I didn't want to tell you about how I was executed. It wouldn't sound right, and it wouldn't be gentlemanly either. I see that you have received the letter.” I twirl it around in my hand. “Yes, I did. Where do I have to go?” “You already know the answer to that, my dear...” and he faded away again. I close the book, and leave it where it lay, and walk out of the room.

“I already know the answer...what does he mean by that?” throughout the day, my mind was in complete thought; I may have had an outer-body experience a time or two. Could he be talking about the Tabh Terrace place? Or my idea, Tabu? That's what he probably meant. I lay back on my bed and close my eyes. My body was overtaken by sleep once more, and as I slept, I could faintly hear the tune of Greensleeves dancing around in my mind.
Chapter 5 by KevinsChickadee
I arrived at Tabu an hour early, so I could see my good friend Howie before he left for a meeting. He's always busy. I walk into the building, and I'm stopped by the security guard. “Identification, please.” “Um...I don't have that on me at the moment, but I'm a friend of the owner.” “So is everyone else. No ID, no entry.”

I became frustrated at this big bully.. “I'm dreadfully serious! I am a friend of the owner...” “Step away from the door, ma'am. I don't want to call the authorities, but if I must--” “That won't be necessary,” I hear a distant voice say to “Luke”.. “She is a friend of mine. Let her in.” the monster in the white and red jersey stepped aside, and I walked in. “Thanks, D, appreciate it.” “No worries. So, what's up?”

We were by the bar; I was leaning against the counter whereas he was sitting on a stool. “Nothing, just wanted to see how you were doing before you left. How's business?” “It's been going great so far. I haven't had these many customers since my brother was running the place. How's school?” “Oh, school's fine...” he gives me his signature smile, and looks down at the floor. For a second, he kinda looked like someone I knew before.

But it couldn't be. It's impossible. Now, I do believe in reincarnation, but to me, it's a bit unreal. “Avangellina. ..?” he snapped me out of my trance, and I look at him. “Yeah?” “What were you thinking about?”

“Oh, stuff...” he said, “I see...”, and walked behind the counter, doing what he likes to call, “mental inventory”. “Can I ask you a personal question, Dorough?” “Sure,” he said without looking over at me. “Um...what's your nationality?” he turned around, looking at me with his eyebrown cocked up. “Why do you want to know?” he leaned over the counter, and looked me dead in my eyes.

Those eyes...they're the same color, and have the same luster as...no, it couldn't be. “Oh, just curious. If you don't want to tell me, it's fine.” “ No, it's just something that I don't hear everyday, ya know? I'm Puerto-Rican on my mother's side, and Irish on my father's.” I nod, and look away for a few moments. “That's too close...” I thought. “but, I'm not going to jump to anything...” “You should.” There's Dwaine's voice again. What did he mean by, “you should”?

“What are you talking about?”

“I'm sorry?”

I looked over at him, still with the same expression on his face. “Uh, nothing...tell me, did you have any ancestors who were of Irish origin?” Howie then became silent in thought, then said, “Actually, yes I do have a few ancestors. I was told that I'm a descendant of...”

Oh, God.

“The guy that wrote the Irish fight song. You know, about the female pirate that went back home after being captured?” Oh. “Um...no. I don't know anything about that.” he flashes me a faint smile. “That's ok. It's a bit weird anyway. I don't even speak Gaelic.” he stuffs his hands in his pockets, and leans against the counter along with me. We exchanged gazes a few times, and we'd start talking about some other things, trying to clear my mind of what I'm thinking about. “Don't block it out, my dear...”

“What are you thinking about now, Avangellina?” I look over at him, and shake my head. “Nothing, really...” “Well, I hope that you're thinking of a place for you and I to have dinner...” I look over at him again. “I beg your pardon?” “Huh? What? Who said that?” he looks around, trying to play what he said off as a joke. I laugh, and playfully hit him. “So, are you asking me out, Mr. Dorough?” He leaned in, and smiles at me again. “And what if I am, Ms. Domini?” I started to blush a little.

Truth be told, I did have a little lingering crush on Howie, but it was nothing really big. I mean, never in my wildest dreams would I think he would ever ask me out or anything like that, so I was beside myself for a second.. “So, where to?” “How about, after I come back from the meeting, I'll pick you up, and I'll take you someplace special.” “That would be great, D.” I touch his shoulder, and rub it a little.

“So, when will you get off?” “I tell you what: I'll call you when I get out of the meeting, ok?” I nod, and sit up, handing him my number. “You got it, D. Well, I'd better get going. I have finals in two weeks, and you know how I--” “Trust me. I know. We were study partners, remember?” I smile at him and grab my backpack. “You know me all too well, Dorough. I'd better go...” We bid our farewells, and I walk out of the club not even looking at the big boulder of a security guard.

I get into my car, and sit back, smiling big. “I can't believe it,” I say to myself. “Well, believe it, Avangellina. ..” I look around after I heard his voice yet again. I roll my windows up so no one would hear me, and ask, “What are you talking about, Dwaine? What's with the questions you're asking me?”

“So, you do not know, huh?” “Know what?” “Since you haven't figured it out yet, I will let you find out for yourself. How does that sound?” “Like a damn headache..” I massage my temples and grumble. “I don't understand anything anymore now...” “Do you want me to leave you alone, my dear?” “No...I don't want you to do that. In fact, before the séance, my life was boring...I want you to stick around, Dwaine, until you're set free.” “But, my dear,” he said before he trailed away again. “I am free...”

Midnight. She gets out of her convertible and puts on a burgandy cloak so no one would recognize her. She stands in front of the Catholic church, waiting for someone to exit. She sees a young priest still in his robe quietly stepping out of the church approaching her. “Ms. Andretti,” he began while standing in front of her. “I have received word from the Vatican, and they have agreed to perform the exorcism. They will send someone from their quarters and banish the demon from your home.” “Grazie,” she said clenching her rosary beads tightly.

“When shall I expect him?” “He will come next Monday. I pray you, young one, he is one of the best.” “I trust your word, Father. Thank you once again for this.” “You are most welcome...” he hands her a golden rosary before hurrying back to the church. She looks down at it, thumbing the beads, and looks up at the sky.

“God...please help my cousin...I need you to keep her strong until next week....Please help her...she' s in dire straits...” she turns around and walks to her car, getting in and driving down the dark road.

“She is not in dire straits...she is not in danger...She is in love with me.”
Chapter 6 by KevinsChickadee
I sat by the phone, awaiting for Howie's call. I was twiddling my thumbs, reading an article in a magazine, I would have started crocheting if the phone hadn't rang. I pick it up and sure enough, it was him.

“Hey, Avy. You ready to go?”

“I thought you had a meeting? It's only 8:45?”

“I cancelled it. I didn't want to go through the hassles of paperwork and such this evening. Just a quiet, moonlit date with a good friend of mine..”

I became flustered yet again and smiled so much as he was talking to me. His voice is so soothing, much like a special friend I know of.

“Yeah, I'm ready, and I'm looking forward to this moonlit date. See you then.”

“Alright. Bye.”

I walked out to my front porch and waited for him to get here. Five minutes passed, and I could see the flashing lights of his Corvette pull up. I hurry down the steps, and stop in front of it and watched him step out. I looked over his outfit: dark purple dress shirt, black dress pants.

His hair was no longer in a ponytail, but they were in little tight curls which bounced down his base of his neck. “You look amazing, D...” “As do you, my dear...” Wait. This is odd. Howie NEVER called me that. The three people in my life that has ever called me 'dear' was my mother, grandfather, and Dwaine. This is getting too weird now, but then again I could be jumping to conclusions. I ALWAYS do that.

“Avangellina?” I snap out of yet another trance and look over at him leaning against the car door. “Yes?” “Ladies first...” he opened the passenger side, and led me in; he circles around getting into the driver's seat. “So, where are we going?” “Somewhere special to me...” With one last smile, he starts the car, and pulls out, driving down the road.

I look out the window, and immediately, I see the grove Reline and I passed the previous week. “You come here?” “All the time. I come here to think about things: my loved ones, my work...” he briefly turned to me, and flashed me a light smile. “I see...” he stopped the car, and got out, walking to the other side, letting me out as well.

I look around, and I'm taken aback by the lovely sight before me: a silent creek, untouched by nature's creatures. Weeping willows hanging around, encircling the water. Gardenia flowers popped up on the grass as well as wildflowers. And last, but not least, the moon's bright light radiating over the water and everything else.

“Howie, it's beautiful!” I exclaim. Never have I been in such a wonderful place, and never have I been so impressed on his taste of great places to relax. “Walk with me...” He takes my hand, and leads me down a narrow pathway. We stopped at a spot near the creek, and sat down. “This is nice,” he says, looking up at the moon-filled sky and then at me.

“It's better than nice, D...it's fantastic. Thank you for taking me here...” he takes my hands, and looks into my eyes. “You're so very welcome, Avangellina. ..” I look away for a few seconds, then back at him lost in his honey brown gaze. Though I care for another, there's something more to Howie that I never saw. A soft side, if you will. He was always serious about his work, but I never knew he had a romantic side. “Romance is in my blood,” he'd say, but I never really believed it. Now, it's proved to be true.

“Howie,” I began, still looking in his eyes. “I...I feel as though, I've known you before...but I'm sure that it's not possible...” “That's funny,” he said. “Because I feel the same way about you, Avy. It's like, we've known each other from long ago...and that I never got a chance to tell you how I felt about you...” My heart skipped a beat at his promising words spewing from his mouth.

“Really?” “Really.” He scooted closer to me, holding my hands a bit tighter. “Then tell me your feelings, Dorough.” “Gladly, but I'd rather express them...” Our faces closed in to a soft, yet lingering kiss. For a moment, I thought Dwaine was going to stop this union, but he didn't. There was no interruption, no yelling, no ethereal voice haunting my mind. Now I know what he meant by, “You will find your answer soon enough...”

Our lips parted and we look at one another. “Wow...” he said, a bit 'out of it'. “Yeah, wow...” I say as I rub my forehead, smiling. From that point on, we both felt something, a deep connection, so to speak. Like, we were reunited, yet we've never crossed each other's paths...or have we? I lean over to touch his face, his soft, angelic face. He closes his eyes, and exhales, letting out whatever nervousness he may have had.

“Avangellina. ..I have something to tell you...” I knew it. Just when it was getting good, something bad happens. I take a deep breath, and listen. “What is it?” “Remember when I said, that I was a descendant to an Irish musician?” “Yes?” “I lied. You see, I'm a direct descendant of a painter named Dwaine Ci--” “I know.” His eyes bugged out in surprise.

“You knew all this time?” “No. I was uncertain all this time. But after we kissed...I knew.” he smiled, and pulled me close to his chest, his rhythmic heartbeat soothing me. “Then...you do know about Avigaille DuVrin...?” “We don't have to get into a history lesson...I know who I am...and I know who you are. And what matters is...we're together for the first time in 500 years.”

We held each other close, nothing interrupting us, nothing holding us back.. The truth was out, and the familiar weight was lifted off my shoulders. From a simple kiss, I found out who we are: not just friends, but lovers from another time and place...

And I couldn't be more satisfied.

“Hello, Father, and welcome to America.” “Tnank you very much,” said an old man holding onto one of his right hand men for support. “Why are we here in America, Father?” his supporter asked in Old World Italian.”To rid of a Hellish spirit clouding a young woman's mind. It is our duty to cleanse her soul, and banish this entity forever.”
Chapter 7 by KevinsChickadee
"So, did you two go all the way?” “No, we didn't, Reline. There's more to him than just sex: he's charming and romantic. Something that I love in a man.” “Was he at least a great kisser?” “You better believe it. His lips were so soft...I nearly died.” Reline smiled, then turned back to her book. “So, enough about me...what have you been up to lately?” Reline quickly looks up at me, and faintly smiles. “Oh...um, nothing in particular. You know, study study study...” “It's just that I haven't seen you in class lately...have you been sick?”

“No, just busy, ok?” I stepped back a little. “Whoa, girl, relax...I was only concerned, ok?” “Well, let me be concerned about you, cous.” “What do you mean?” “You know what I mean. Dwaine. Is he still here?” I look at her all confused. “What if he is?” “Avy, why would you want an evil entity in your home? Doesn't that bother you?” I walk over to her, and cross my arms, a little peeved at her.

“First of all, Dwaine isn't 'evil'. Second, I've grown accustomed to him.. He keeps my mind at ease, you know?” Reline sat down, and covered her face. “You can't be serious, Avangellina. Dwaine is a SPIRIT, not a human.... I mean, he's been dead for 500 years!” “You obviously don't know him like I do...” I mumble to myself. She turns to look at me with a shocked look on her face. “I don't know him like you do? Avy, ever since that night, you became distant, and above all else, acting weird! I hate to tell you this, but I think he's taken you over.” “No, he hasn't, Relly...he cares about me...” “The only thing he cares about, is running your life. He's obviously using you just to stay here on Earth! You're nothing but a shell to him--” “DON'T SAY THAT!” I shriek at her...I never did that before...EVER.

“YOU DON'T KNOW HIM! He's the only person that can understand me, and frankly, YOU don't understand me...no one else does...” She got up and walked over to me, placing her hands on my shoulders. “What about Howie?” I look into her eyes, while mine own were tear filled. “Don't you get it, Reline? Dwaine wasn't using me...all this time, he was leading me to Howie, not 'running my life'. You see? Dwaine was reborn.”

She looked at me with concern written across her face. “You're in more danger than I thought, Avy...” “Reline, I'm NOT in danger, don't you understand?” She steps away from me. “Oh, I understand completely.. .you're nu--” “DON'T say that...I'm serious...Dwaine was brought back to life to find me. I have proof!” “You're proving something to me right now, Avangellina. ..you're insane!”

“Oh yeah? I'm insane, huh? Fine...” I stormed out of the room and go in the kitchen to retrieve my bookbag. “What are you doing?” I don't say a word to her, for my head is buried into the bag; I finally found my proof. I hold up a book, but not just any book: the Book of Kings and Queens of the 16th Century. I sit down and thumb through the pages trying to find Queen Catherine of Aragon. “Avy...”

“Here. Right there...” she sits next to me, and I show her a photo of the Queen with her Ladies in Waiting. There were only four, but the last two from the right were of Avigaille DuVrin and Anne Boleyn. As I pointed to Avigaille's picture, she looked down...and was completely shocked.

“Oh, my God...”

“Do you believe me now? Don't you see? I'm the descendant of Avigaille. Dwaine told me so.”

“When did he tell you?”

“Last night...in a dream I had...he showed me...”

“...Avigaille' s home life. After my death, I followed her. She never knew that I was around, yet she never knew I existed. Every time I tried to show myself to her, I would be stopped by the King's demands.. It was awful. So, I watched her every move.

I was there for her every event: her father's death, her first marriage, and the birth of her son. I gave her her accolades, but it wasn't enough. I wasn't there with her. You, Avangellina, are the direct descendant of Avigaille, one of the Queen's beloved First Ladies. I should have told you sooner, but I was too enticed by your resemblance and beauty of her. I loved that woman so deeply, but now I don't have to reminisce; she lives inside you...she IS you. Always remember that.”

“But...my parents...they never told me about this...”

“I was there for your birth as well...yet your 'parents' are not your parents. You were found on their doorstep 20 years ago, and they raised you as their own.”

“Let me get this straight. If you saw my birth transpire, why didn't you come forward until now?”

“You called me. I waited so many years for you to call upon me. I couldn't be in human affairs; I was not taught to meddle. But now...we're reunited, and nothing will ever change that...but.. .”

“But, what, Dwaine?”

“Come the next week, something will happen. Please trust me with this. You and I are in danger...”

“Danger? What are you--”

“You will know in due time.”

“Why can't you just tell me, Ciscough? What kind of trouble are we in?”

Silence.

“Ciscough...?”

“I cannot speak more of it, just please stay alert.”

“I will...”

“And then, I woke up. I didn't get it. He tells me that he's in danger, as well as me, and now...I don't know what to do.” “I do...believe me, dear cousin. I'll know what to do. No spirit will interfere in your way of living...”

“What are you thinking about, Reline?” “Oh, nothing really...say, would you and Howie like to come over for dinner tomorrow night? I'm going to cook something special, and it's going to be a surprise. I hope you'll like it.” I smile at her, and hug her. “I can't wait. I'm so glad you understand what's going on...”

“Yeah...thanks. I'm sorry for calling you a nutjob. Now I understand.. .You know you're of Tudor royal blood, right?” “Not exactly. I'm French. He told me my last name was DuVrin, whereas my adoptive name, Domini, is Italian. I don't know if my family was of royalty or not.” “I see...well, I'd better get going. I have a lot of things on my plate at the moment. I'll call you about dinner tomorrow night.” “I'll await the call...” she gives me one last hug before leaving the room, heading upstairs.

“So, she wants us over there for dinner tomorrow?”

“Yes, she does. Will you be busy?”

“No, I'm off tomorrow night. I'll be there, and—Ahh...”

“Are you ok?”

“Yes....I'm fine...stomach cramp. Nothing serious.”

“Well...ok... I'll see you tomorrow. I love you.”

“And I, you, beloved.”

I hang up the phone after him. When he had the sharp pain, at the same time it felt like something tugged at my heartstrings. It was probably nothing in particular. I lie back in my bed, and drift off to sleep.

He was in deep pain. Howie held onto his chest, gripping at it tightly as he let out a throaty groan.

“What...what' s wrong with....me.. .?” His heart was beating fast, and sweat began to pour down his face. He held onto a chair for support but it didn't help...he sat down, his head onto his office desk breathing erratically. “Please....make it stop...make it STOP.” he said, sharply. Little did he and Avangellina know, that somewhere on the other side of town, a small ritual was being held by Reline and Father Calapeglia.

He looked up at the sky, and mumbles, “A...Avangellina. ..I should have told you...she's completely against us....and I don't think I have much time....”
Chapter 8 by KevinsChickadee
Me and Howie were walking through our grove without a care in the world. We were holding hands, looking at one another with smiles on our faces. “I love you,” he says to me softly. “And I love you, too, Howie...” I say to him. We stopped walking and share a few sweet kisses right next to the creek.

Describe the moment, and not use the word 'romantic'. You can't, can you? Thought so. As we broke away from each other, I say, “We're going to be late for dinner at Reline's...” “We can stay a little while longer, can we?” He gave me a little sad look and I just had to surrender. “Yes, we can...”

We lie on the grass looking at the starfilled sky. “Isn't this universe outstanding?” he asks me, still looking up. I look over at him and smile, “Yes, it is...Never have I seen such a wonderful night like this...wait, yes, I have...” Howie sat up, looking me over in wonder. “Really? When?” “Our first date, silly...it was on that beautiful night that we professed our love for one another...” he scooted closer to me, and kisses my cheek. “And we shall have more beautiful nights like that, Avangellina....for as long as we both shall live.” “I'm so glad that you found me...do I call you Dwaine or Howie?”

“Just Howie, for I have Dwaine's spirit within me.” I had to ask him this, because frankly, it HAD to be answered.. “Did Dwaine tell you about your life? That you were here on Earth before?” Howie nodded, saying that he, too, came to him in a dream. “I didn't want to believe it at first, but then he showed me everything. My life just got interesting, you know?” “Yes, I do...” I look down at my watch, and see that it's almost 8. “We should be heading back...” “You're right, Love. We don't want your cousin chewing our heads off...”

We stood up, and we stand face to face. “Let's make this our secret hideaway. Our safe haven. That way, whenever we'll feel stressed, or upset, we'll know where to turn.” I look at him and nod in affirmation. “That's a great plan, Dorough...” He takes my hands, and places them on his chest. “And also, remember one thing, that you will always be in here. “ “I'll always remember...” we share another tender kiss afterwards, which lasted almost forever. Our lips parted, and we walk back to the car and get in, driving to the direction of my house.

“Is everything ready, Father Calapeglia?” “Yes. Everything is all set in the den.” Reline and Father Calapeglia were preparing for the exorcism. She clasped onto her rosary that was around her neck as she watched him make a Holy Water circle, and bless the house while reading an excerpt from the Bible. “Bless this house, and everything in it, O Lord,” he said, and repeated so throughout the entire house.

“This has got to work, Father.” “This will work, Child. Light the incense.” “Yes, Father,” she said, and she obeyed. In all four corners of the room, she lit each anointment incense, the scent instantly overtook the apartment. “Now, it is blessed with His spirit. Nothing shall go wrong.” She crossed herself, and thanked the Father again for everything he's done. Little did they both know, that they will soon do more harm than good.
Chapter 9 by KevinsChickadee
We arrived at my apartment complex not a moment too soon. We each share gazes again as we held each other's hands, “I love you,” he said to me in a soft tone. “And I, you,” I say to him, lost in his angelic gaze once more.

We break our hand union and he gets out the car, helping me out of it. “Thank you again for a wonderful date,” I say as we walked up the narrow pathway to my cousin's side of the apartment. “You're worth every minute, Avangellina.” I blush a candy apple red and turn back to him. “Your choice of words never cease to amaze me.” he just smiles, and turns to me after we're on her porch.

For some unknown reason, I felt a presence that I've never felt before. I was not for certain if it was good, or bad, it was just...strange. His body tensed up, for he felt it to. “Avy, there is something that I wish to tell you.” “What is it?” “Something is bound to happen once we go in there...” “Like what? Tell me.” “Well...”

Before he could get another word in, the door opens, and Reline steps out greeting us with a smile. “Hey, you two lovebirds,” she said 'oh, so lovingly'. “Uh, hi, Reline...how are you?” he asked with a hint of uncertainty in his voice.

“What's with him?” I thought. “He looks uneasy for sure...but I'm sure dinner and a classic movie will lighten his spirits.” She moves out of the way so that we can gain entrance to her living room. “Redecorated?” I ask as I looked around, holding his hand. “A little...it's kinda the same the last time you were here.” “Yeah, how could I forget...?”

I look up and see Howie's eyes shift from left to right. “Baby, what's the matter?” He's in a slight trance, but I tried to snap him out of it. “Howard....?” he broke out of it when the sound of my voice resonated in his mind. “Oh...I'm sorry, Love...shall we dine?”

I stepped away from him and look him over. “Are you sure you're alright, Dorou--” “I'm fine...I usually daze out when I don't eat. I'm famished.” I lightly nod, and walk out to the den. Reline stops me at my tracks. “No!” “What the hell?” “I mean...um...dinner isn't quite ready yet..I'll be right back.” She quickly moves the curtain open, and closes it before I got a chance to look through. Howie and I sat down, waiting for her to come back out. “Do you smell that?”

I look over at him, sniffing the air like a bloodhound. “What is going on, Dorough? You've been acting strange ever since we got here. And I don't smell anything...” “You don't smell that?” “Smell what?” he got up and looked around the living room for a scent of some kind. “Anointment incense...” I heard him say something. “What?” “Anointment incense. They're to keep bad spirits away,” he said while walking towards me, holding the sides of my arms. “I didn't understand it. Reline's a devout Catholic with strong beliefs. She lights those all the time. Why are you tripping out?”

“Because she's trying to get rid of me, Avangellina.” he told me in a sharp tone. “I don't believe you.” “You don't believe me?” “No...why would she try to do that, knowing that I care for you so much?” “I don't know, Avy, ok? Maybe it's because, she thinks I'm an evil spirit 'running your life'? That could be the cause...Think about it--”

“Enough.” I didn't want to believe anything he told me. Why would she even attempt to do such a thing? I mean, she's blood...well, not really, but she's family. She would never cause any harm to him. “Fine, Avangellina, Fine! You won't believe me...you won't listen to the fact that she's trying to get rid of me, and--” “STOP IT, alright?! Just...stop...talking. I'm done with it...” I sit down and cover my face groaning. He stayed where he was, not looking at me. “So, now what?” he said to me in a low tone full of solemnity. “Leave me alone...” I said not wanting to look at him still.

“Then...it shall be done...”

Howie walked to the door, and opened it. Before stepping out, he looked at me one last time. “Can't we just talk about this, Avangellina?” “What's there to talk about, Dorough? You think my cousin is holding some kind of spiritual recession in this house, and I refuse to believe it.

If you have nothing nice to say about my family, you are free to go.” “Avan--” “I mean it.” He hangs his head down, though I didn't see him do so, but I could tell. “Fine...” and with that, he turned around and left. I could hear the car start up, and drive away in the distance, and I let out a sigh of relief. “Good riddance...” I said. Wondering why Reline was taking so long, I get up, and walk towards the den. “Reline, Howie didn't feel too good, so he--”

In front of my bewildered eyes stood Reline, and a priest. I looked to my right, and I see crucifixes and coins and to the left; Holy water. I felt my skin crawling, my blood boiling, and worse of all: my heart breaking. “Reline....what is this? What IS this?” “Your wake up call, my dear cousin.” Confusion and shock settled into my mind and body. “What are you talking about?” “I guess I should tell you what I've been up to, huh, Avy?” “I 'd LIKE to know...” She walks over to the rosaries and crucifixes, and began her 'tall tale'.

“For the past 4 months, I've been doing research: trying to figure out HOW to get rid of the spirit of Dwaine Ciscough. I've surfed the Web, I've been in libraries, and none of them led me to my destination. So, when I thought I had no place left to turn, I went to my family's Catholic church for assistance. I spoke to a fellow priest there, telling him of your ordeal, and he agreed to help me. We both planned an exorcism, and he told me that he would send someone from Italy to perform it. But that's not all. You see, Father Calapeglia here took me under his wing, and taught me the different methods of purifying this house...as well as sending his soul back to Hell. So, you see, cousin? I did this all for you...so that you could gain your life back.”

“He was right... “ I muttered to myself. “He...he was right all along...you WERE against us all this time!” “That's right. And now, let's begin...” “I won't let you!” As I was about to reach for her, someone grabs my arms from behind. There was a man in a red and black cloth and dark sunglasses restraining me tightly. “LET ME GO! PLEASE, DON'T DO THIS!” “It is too late, my child...you will be saved by God's love. Tie her down. She will not interrupt this coronation.” He tied me down to a chair with rope, and pushes me against the wall.

My screams were muffled, as my mouth was duct taped shut. “LEAVE HIM ALONE!!!” I shout through the tape, but they would not listen to me. I hear them chant to the Heavens for “guidance of diminishing this vengeful demon”. Tears began streaming from my eyes as I looked on. I screamed stop, don't harm him, this is not right...but they ignore me. The old priest held up a grail of Holy Water, and started chanting in Latin. He walks over to me, his Holy chants beginning to resonate through my ears. “Please, break the hold that this demon has upon this child. In God's name, release her!”

“NO!!!!”

From out of nowhere, Howie barged through the back door, but instantly fell to the ground. He held onto his chest, and he was breathing hard; sweat was streaming down his face. “Don't you...touch her....” “Restrain him,” I heard her say. “If you do...not let her go....so help me....” the priest's assistant pushed him down against the floor, adding excruciating weight on him. “You may continue, Father...” “Please...st...stop...” he stuttered, and with each prayer the Father gave, the more pain Howie was in. “You're hurting him!!” I scream through the duct tape, but once again, I was ignored. He pulls my head back, the grail staring me in the face. “o Lord, save this child from the restraints of this demon. In Your Holy Name....Amen...”

“Avangellina...”

The Holy Water pours out, and splatters on my forehead, burning me. I cry out in pain, as did Howie, writhing underneath the apprentice. The struggles ceased, and it became starkly silent for a brief moment. “The deed is done,” Reline said as she walked over and untied me. I rip the tape off my mouth, and run over to him. “GET OFF OF HIM!” I say after roughly pushing him against the wall.

There he lies, unconscious, weak; lifeless. I kneel down before him, and place his head on my thigh, cradling him. “Please...please, wake up, my love...” Reline stood in front of us, proud of what she's done. “You should be thanking me, cousin. Now, you will have a normal life without Dwaine to ruin it for you.” I look up at her, my anger becomes me, and my teeth clench together. “PROUD? PROUD?! YOU KILLED HIM! DON'T YOU GET IT?!” she just stood there, smiling to herself.

“Why do you even care? He was running your life, and--” “He was NOT running my life! He was protecting me, and you destroyed the one thing I EVER loved...didn't you realize that Howard and Dwaine were one in the same?!””So?” “SO?! That meant if you exorcised Dwaine...Howie dies with him...but you didn't bother to study reincarnation, and sharing the same soul, did you?” She stood silent. “DID YOU?!” I saw her body weaken before me. “You...you didn't tell me...” “I DID...but you didn't listen to a word I said...” she walked closer to me, but I scream at her to step back. “Don't come near me...from this day forward, you are not my cousin...you're NOTHING TO ME!” I lashed out verbally at her, but I couldn't scream anymore. All I could do was cry onto my beloved's chest.

“Do not be upset, my love...”

I look down, and see Howie's eyes halfway open. “Do not cry for me, Avangellina...please...” I quickly grab his hands and look down at him with tear-filled eyes. “Why didn't you tell me...?” “Be...because even if I did, you would never believe me...you didn't want to believe that family tried to pull us apart, so I kept it to myself...” I hold back my tears and weakly smile. “Don't you worry...we're..we're going to call a doctor, and fix you up, and--” “Dear heart...it is finished. I...I cannot turn it back now...” “.....but, I need you.”

I say to him, choked up and weak. “I know you do...because I need you too...but it is too late. My soul is forever concealed in God's hands now. It cannot be changed...” I didn't want to listen to it anymore. I wanted everything back as it should be. I wanted to...shut off the world, and have us be together...just us as one. But it cannot be done. Nothing could be done.

“Promise me one thing, Avangellina.”

“Anything...”

He parts his hands away from mine, and places them on my chest.

“Promise me...that you will always have me in your heart. Please, promise me that...”

“I will...”

I hold onto his hands once again, and slowly lean in to kiss him.

“I will always love you, Dwaine...”

“........and I, you, Avigaille...”

We exchanged glances for the last time...until he started to slip away from me. His grip on my hand began to weaken, and break and his hand fell to the ground.

He lets out a light exhale while looking toward the ceiling.

And he was gone.

I collapse my head on his chest, and pour my heart out onto him. I was alone in the room, but I didn't give a damn if one hundred people were with me.

For a while, I stayed there in that very spot; motionless. There was nothing to live for now that my soulmate has gone. I stood at the balcony on my side of the conplex and look up at the sky. Though he has left this earth, I could still feel him around me. I close my eyes, and I let the cool, fall breeze go through me. I can hear him sing Greensleeves to me in perfect harmony as we sit by our safe haven bathed in moonlight. I know that he's mass form has perished, but he still kept his promise about the grove, that whatever happens, it will always be there...

But a grove is just a grove.

Moonlight is just moonlight.

And loneliness is now my new best friend.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9375