What Matters Most by scarlett
Summary:

He is an accomplished medical surgeon who had a daughter in which he very much adored. For him, their life together is perfect. But what happens if she started looking for her Mommy and the only one he can turn to is the person who absolutely hates him?

 

 

 

 

 


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group
Genres: Alternate Universe, Drama, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: Yes Word count: 32594 Read: 37874 Published: 11/26/08 Updated: 12/12/08
Story Notes:

 

(Author's Note: The main character in this fanfic is Jessamyn Adams, the winner that was submitted by Barb, during my character call contest. Congrats, Barb. And thank you for being a regular visitor of my website. God bless!)

1. Chapter 1 by scarlett

2. Chapter 2 by scarlett

3. Chapter 3 by scarlett

4. Chapter 4 by scarlett

5. Chapter 5 by scarlett

6. Chapter 6 by scarlett

7. Chapter 7 by scarlett

8. Chapter 8 by scarlett

9. Chapter 9 by scarlett

10. Chapter 10 by scarlett

11. Chapter 11 by scarlett

12. Chapter 12 by scarlett

13. Chapter 13 by scarlett

14. Chapter 14 by scarlett

15. Chapter 15 by scarlett

16. Chapter 16 by scarlett

17. Chapter 17 by scarlett

18. Chapter 18 by scarlett

19. Chapter 19 by scarlett

20. Chapter 20 by scarlett

21. Epilogue by scarlett

Chapter 1 by scarlett

 

 

Some of the men would turn to her as she passes by. It is more like a wonder on why is there someone on earth who would bravely walk along the sidewalk of that busy town with such a wild display self-expression. With hair graced with the color of the rainbow, a facial makeup comprising of a colorful variety, clothes that would put Britney Spears to shame and pointed heels that could only kill, she has been the subject of scrutiny ever since she came out of a studio in Hollywood. For a city like this and a woman like her, it would have seemed normal. Almost everyone have something going on that relates to the show business. In this city, no one would care if anyone would show up looking unusual. But the curiosity was aroused when the woman, who is actually pretty underneath that heavy facial makeup, had tears streaming down her face. She stepped on the side of the road and tried to hail a cab but she was ignored. It frustrated her more. Her self-esteem dropped lower. All she wanted is to go home and pretend that things never happened earlier.

When a cab finally comes her way, a man in a business suit hurried to catch it before she does. It’s already been a bad day for the woman and this one should know better than to mess up with her. When the man went inside the car, she followed in and quickly closed the door. She immediately gave instructions to the driver about her destination.

“Wait. I got here first. Get out.” The man with the eyeglasses told her.

“I saw it first. You just happened to have the gut to steal this cab from me and I won’t let you get away with that.” The woman glared at him.

“I’m going to be late for my appointment.” The man sighed.

“And I already had a bad day. You should know better than to mess up with me.” She replied and placed her bag in between them. The man looked at her then told the driver where to go. She insisted to be taken home first.

“No. It’s out of my way.” the man said and ordered the driver where to go. Confused, the driver stopped the cab on the side of the road.

“We’ll be in an accident if you don’t decide our destination, folks.” The old man said behind the wheel.

The woman drew a deep breath and faced the man. She takes out her hand to him. “I think that the driver should take me where I want to be first but since you’re arguing with me, let’s decide on this.” She held out her hand to him.

“Rocks-papers-and-scissors?” The man chuckled. “You’re…” he looked at her face and shakes his head, “incredible!”

“Thank you.” She rolled her eyes and they played. In just a drop of the hand, she bet paper while the man bet on stone. He groaned in frustration.

“I guess that makes the decision,” the old driver said in amusement and went back to the road. There was silence between the two. The woman settled her back on the seat as she struggled to look for something in her bag. The driver suddenly stepped on the brakes and she came forward. Most of her things were dropped on the floor. The man came to her rescue to hold her back and helped her retrieve her things from the floor.

“Sorry about that, Miss. There’s just some irresponsible pedestrian who suddenly came from nowhere.”

“No harm done,” the woman replied as she pushed the man’s arms away from her waist. She grabbed her things from his hold and put everything in the bag. “Move away.”

The man raised is hand in surrender. The two faced away from each other and gazed out in their own car windows. The driver thoughtfully glanced at the people behind him through the rearview mirror. Sometimes, he thinks that good stories start with a quiet taxi ride. He can sense the sadness and vulnerability in the woman when he saw her calling for him earlier. He saw her outrageous appearance and all he wanted is just to get her out on the streets and take her home. It seemed that it’s the best thing she wanted at the moment. And then this man appeared. It amused and irritated him at the same time. This inconsiderate man seemed to have his own issues and unfortunately, he messed up with the wrong woman. Now, instead of going straight to whatever his appointment is, the woman won their little game and will get to reach the destination first.

“Stop it right here.” The woman instructed suddenly. The driver followed her in wonder. He turned to her.

“Very good.” The dark blonde one said beside her.

“We still haven’t reached your destination, Miss.”

“Much better.” The man said again.

The two frowned to the man. The woman casts a glare to the person beside her. She paid for the fare and went out. The man immediately instructed the driver where he is going and the car sped off.



~~~



Nick Carter quickly made his way towards the prep school of his daughter, Daphne. If not for that woman with the colorful hair, he should have made it on time with Daphne’s performance. He muttered a curse then stopped himself when he remembered that he’s in a school. He saw his daughter just coming out of the mini-theater with his mother.

“Oh, baby. I’m sorry that Daddy’s late.” Nick went to pick up his daughter and carried him in his arms. His mother takes the laptop bag off his shoulders.

“You promised, Daddy.” Daphne sniffed as she only got through from crying. “I waited for you.”

“I’m so sorry, baby. I won’t do it again next time.” Nick kissed his daughter on the forehead. “I’ll cook dinner tonight and then we’ll have bonding time. My secretary gave me something for you, Barney CDs, and we’ll watch it together, okay?” He saw Daphne’s face light up. Yeah, no matter how much he hates Barney, he will do the best he can do to spend time with his four-year-old daughter.

“Where have you been, Nick?” Laura asked her son. “And where’s your car?”

“My car is still under repair. It will be ready by this weekend. My meeting got extended plus there’s this…”

“Who’s this, Daddy?”

Both turned when Daphne found something in her father’s pocket in his coat. It’s a small photo of the woman he’s with in the taxi earlier. She missed it when she dropped her things on the taxi’s floor. He decided to keep her picture when he saw it because he realized that without that ridiculous makeup and hairdo, she actually looked pretty. The photo will remind him of his silly encounter with her. Why, he never played rock-paper-and-scissors with anyone since he’s in middle school. He smiled at that thought.

“Is this Mommy?”

Nick opened his mouth to reply but Laura beat him to it. “Oh, Nick. You didn’t tell us immediately that you also met up with her.” She said.

“Mom!” Nick frowned at his mother. They know how hard it was to explain to Daphne that her mother abandoned her after she gave birth and left all the responsibilities to Nick. He hated what the woman has done but he is grateful that his daughter is alive and well. He will take every opportunity that he had just to make Daphne happy and feel loved. It seems perfect. He is performing the role well as a single parent until the child started pre-school and began asking for her mother. He can only reply that the mother is abroad and couldn’t come home because of her busy schedule at work.

“You met Mom? Why isn’t she with you?” There was an excitement in Daphne’s eyes when Nick turned to her. It pains him to see his daughter longed for someone who will never be back because she never cared.

“Uh, I didn’t meet with her. I just found her old picture and thought of bringing it here for you.” As he said it, he’s looking ridiculously at his mother. His daughter is oblivious to what is going on. Daphne is busy looking down to the picture of a woman in her little hands.

“Where is she?”

“Where is she?” Nick sighed.

“Your mother is in Italy where she studies cooking. Your mother is a good cook.” Laura filled in. She takes her granddaughter in her arms and walked ahead. “And speaking of dinner, how about we go home now because Dad said he’s preparing us something special for dinner?”

“Okay, but I want to see Mommy. Where is Italy? Can we go there first?”

Nick drew a deep breath. He doesn’t like what is happening but he doesn’t have any choice. His mother started weaving lies, or rather stories, to his daughter.

 

 

Chapter 2 by scarlett

 

 

Jessamyn Adams followed her supervisor around the store as she carefully jot down notes of what she needs to remember for her new job. She is currently under training to be a personal shopper for the celebrities and her supervisor is one of the veterans in personal celebrity shopping, Olive Goodyear.

“Always take note what are their favorite stuff found inside their fridge. Don’t buy something that is not found either in the fridge or in the stockroom otherwise, they will freak out. Celebrities can be sometimes annoying when they complain on such simple things. But you may suggest as long as you can justify it. Know what their needs are. Are they on a diet? Do they love sweets? Also know what the latest in the market is so that they won’t feel left behind. Also know what are the latest do’s and don’ts so that you can also protect the interests of your employers. Understood?”

Jessa nodded. “And if they like to change furniture, I should scour the whole America to get the finest yet affordable and the creative professional to do the job.”

“Exactly, Jessa. Take note of that. Heather Brown is very fickle-minded when it comes to her furniture. It was just like dressing up for a night out. Good luck on her.” Olive winked at her. They continued walking towards the poultry section.

“Heather said she’s allergic to chicken.” Jessa told Olive.

“Really?” They diverted away. “What did you say your last job was?”

“I’m a struggling entertainer here in LA but I don’t think that I could catch up with the competition. But before that, I’m a massage therapist. I studied that in school and decided then to start a spa business. But I still haven’t got enough capital to start with that so I struggled to go for other jobs with high salary but was unlucky. Maybe this job can help me push through with the business that I had in mind.”

“Well, that’s interesting. I hope you can somehow start that business sooner than you could imagine.”

“Thanks, Olive.” She wished it would happen soon. She wants to be her own boss and not to attend to someone’s orders just to get a high salary. They turned right towards the sweets section. Heather loves chocolates and so does she.



~~~



“Daddy, will you tell me more about Mommy?”

Nick silently groaned when his daughter requested that. He didn't want to go on with his lies but his mother insisted. It frustrates him more since that would also mean that IF he ever finds a woman he really likes someday, his daughter might not understand. His daughter would wonder who they are and why are they there when she already had a ‘mommy.’ But that’s only a big ‘if’ because he doesn’t have any plans on getting involved with someone in the near future.

“Y-your mom is a nice woman. She can be freaky sometimes but she’s fine.” He imagined the woman he was with inside the taxi.

“Freaky?” The child looked up to him.

“Yeah, like she’s laughing at one time then silent on the other. Hold on,” He pushed the grocery cart towards the chocolates section of the grocery. His eyes widened when he saw the particular woman he and his daughter are just talking about. He quickly turned on the other way to avoid his daughter from seeing that woman. His heart beats faster. Oh, no. Why is there such a small world between them?

“Daddy, I want some chocolates.”

“Later, baby. You will need to help me with something we can cook tonight.” Nick planted a kiss on his daughter’s head.

“Daddy, do you think Mommy can make special pasta just like yours?”

“I think she’ll do better,” Nick replied, eager to get away from that area as much as he could. He turned around just in time to see the woman came out again from a section of some items. Damn, he wished things weren’t as complicated as it already is. His daughter will be hurt from this craziness he is doing to her. Maybe one of these days, he’ll tell the truth to her. He had to.



~~~



Nick sighed tiredly as he went out of his car and went towards the toy store he saw at the boulevard. He just got through a long period of surgery with a patient at the hospital and he wants to go home now. He is excited to see his daughter who called this morning just to report that her teacher gave her five stars for her artwork. As a resident surgeon in a hospital in LA, he tried to balance his time between his job and his daughter. Daphne is the only girl in his life, no matter how many women have tried to catch his attention for all these years. He felt that he can’t have a relationship now. He is more contented on being just a father and not some woman’s man. He already found his purpose in life and that is as a father.

As soon as he got inside the exclusive toy store, there were already a number of female greetings that come his way. Maybe he hasn’t lost his charm yet but he’s more focused on being a father now. Their simple flirtations would never mean anything to him.

“Is there anything that you want, Sir?” a woman bravely approached him in a friendly manner.

“I think I’d like to look around first before I call anyone of you for assistance,” Nick replied as he arranged his eyeglasses on top of his nose. He saw the section marked as ‘Dolls’ and went towards it. It amazed him to find several Barbie dolls. The interest grew in him ever since his daughter started collecting the particular dolls a year ago. When Daphne celebrated her fourth birthday, he organized a Barbie-theme party for her. He even made a research on that just to give the best for his darling daughter. He indicated in the invitations that the celebrant would greatly appreciate a Barbie doll as a gift. And now, Daphne already seemed to have every version of the Barbie doll that is possible. As Nick walked between the shelves, he can even recognize some of the dolls that his daughter already has. Daphne’s collection was already considered a treasure, a lifetime investment in case she would need money someday. But that would be the day since Nick intends to save every penny that he had for a life of abundance for his daughter.

Nick is now at the part where the stuffed dolls are. He thinks that they are cute and Daphne would surely look charming while hugging a pretty stuffed doll in her arms. He smiled at the thought. He started to browse on something beautiful and unique. He gets all consumed with it that he didn’t notice a woman on the same section and he accidentally stepped on her foot.

“Ouch!”

“Oh, sorry,” Nick turned and paused. His heart beats faster. It’s the woman!

“You, again?” The woman pushed him away but not hard enough.

“Hey! Now, you’re being violent.”

“That’s because I don’t like you.” The woman retorted. She looked around. “Why are you here anyway?” She looked at him from head to feet.

“Excuse me but I’m not following you.” Nick replied and turned back to look at the stuffed dolls. “I just need to find something for my baby.” He noticed that the woman started browsing too. “And you?”

“I’m looking something special to give to someone too.”

They went silent for a while, minding their own business on what doll to get. Nick is starting to get frustrated because all the dolls seemed very pretty for him and he couldn’t decide on just one. He grabbed the three best dolls he can get and turned to the woman, who happened to be watching him. “Which among these do you think my baby would like?”

“What kind of baby, as in your girlfriend or as in your daughter?” The woman raised an eyebrow.

“My four-year-old daughter.” Nick replied. He didn’t know if it was disappointment that he saw in her eyes. “So?”

“They’re too colorful for my own taste. I’d go for simpler but prettier, like this one.” The woman takes one stuffed doll on a shelf. A little rag doll of a girl that has ponytails and it’s wearing a red flowery sundress. “She can be a best friend to your baby.”

Nick stared at it and realized that this woman is right. But he won’t let her know that. He grabbed it from her. “Okay, I’ll take all of these.” He started to walk away. “Thanks.”

“That’s too much for a four-year-old,” the woman commented. “Four dolls?”

“It’s alright. You should’ve seen her Barbie doll collection.” Nick answered and then continued to walk away.
Chapter 3 by scarlett

 

 

“Gina, when I said I need a part-time job, I didn’t mean it to be a catering service crew. I didn’t even know how to lift a tray,” Jessa muttered to her cousin as they entered an exclusive subdivision in the hills where mostly the rich and famous lives. “What’s their celebration anyway?”

“A birthday party for an old woman,” Gina muttered. “Don’t worry, cousin. I’ve already got an assignment for you and that is to only monitor if the food are still full in their containers and if utensils are still enough to accommodate their needs. The manager doesn’t want to mess up this time since she personally knew the son of the celebrant, some doctor in the hospital downtown.”

“Bachelor?”

“Single father.”

“Oh,” Jessa nodded. They reached the house where the party will be held and paid for the taxi fare. When they went inside the property, Jessa looked around in amazement. The homeowner must have been on a high-salary job to live in such a big place like this.

“Close your mouth. The flies may come in,” Gina chuckled. “This is big, isn’t it? They say that a few houses from here lives Reese Witherspoon and her kids. They may drop by later. Who knows? Come on, let’s get started.”

Jessa followed her friend. She has never been to a large house like this. It is even bigger than her employer, Heather Brown's, house. The doctor must have been earning more than the Hollywood actress, she smirked. All her life, she is used to seeing the simplicity of things, the humility of places and the simple joys of life. She didn’t really regard the difference between the poor and the rich but seeing the luxury that is in here, there is really a gap in the society between the less fortunate from the wealthy. She thought that how could a family of three lived in this big place when they can also live in a smaller place that is homier, more comfortable.

It was two hours later when the party is getting started. It’s almost eight in the evening and the guests started coming in. Jessa already saw the birthday celebrant from afar. A simple yet beautiful old woman whose smile never leaves her face as she greets the guests. The party is only a casual one. It’s more like a get-together of old friends for a long chat through the night. There was a jazz band playing at the corner of the garden while some of the guests dance to their music. She also spotted some celebrities and artists, duly respected in the industry. There were also some politicians around. As Jessa made another round to fill up the buffet table, she saw a familiar dark blonde head and her heart skips a beat. She groaned. Why is he here?

She saw him walking with a little girl. The man is laughing about something that the kid is saying and Jessa saw how he seemed to deeply adore the kid. It must have been a pain that surged in her to realize that he’s probably no longer available, that he’s now probably married and dad to a cute girl with adorable pigtails. The man must have felt that someone’s watching him. He glanced around until his eyes rested on hers. She couldn’t tell the expression on his face when he saw her but she’s sure that he’s surprised to see her there. She saw him walked away with the little girl. She, on the other hand, went back to the caterer’s staff area where they can have a rest for a while. She’s the only one there since the others were busy at the party. She will come out later, probably when the man is already gone. He’s probably one of the guests. Who is he? He must be someone of great importance since he’s been invited to this party. She bit her lower lip and looked at herself. She stopped the thoughts that played in her mind. She should not be thinking about the man and what would he think of her. For goodness sake! He’s already married and a father. For sure, he won’t even bother taking a second glance on her and think if she looks pretty.

“Why are you here?”

“Huh?” Jessa looked up and saw the serious face of the man. She stood up. “It’s a part-time job. Is there any problem with that? If I only knew that you’ll be here, I won’t even try to be here.” She frowned. “Wait. Who are you? We’ve been seeing each other lately that I don’t even know your name.”

“Nick Carter.”

“Well, my name is Jessa Adams.” She replied. “And I work here.”

“Can you try not to go out of this tent for about two hours?” Nick asked her.

“What…”

“I’ll give you a thousand dollars just to do that.” Nick snapped. He arranged the eyeglasses perched on his nose. He looked adorable with those spectacles, as if he knows a lot of things, Jessa thought.

“You’re impossible. Why would I do that?”

“Just do it, okay?” Nick turned but stopped when he saw who is at the entrance of the tent. Jessa looked towards the person and met the eyes of a young little girl.

“Daddy, are you and Mommy fighting?”

Jessa looked around to look for anyone but they are the only people there. Is the child talking about her as her mother? Since when did she get pregnant? By this man? Although the fantasies are tempting, it wondered her why does this kid called her mommy. Nick turned to her, his eyes wide.

“We’re not fighting, baby. She’s just asking about you since she just came from Italy.” Nick said while his eyes tell her to go with the flow of the conversation. Jessa still couldn’t get it. She just looked at the father and daughter inside the tent. The little girl has this look of excitement in her eyes when she went in the tent. She ran towards Jessa and hugged her.

“At last, I met you, Mommy.”

Jessa’s mouth dropped open. So this kid is Nick’s daughter. She looked at Nick in question but the man’s face did not give any expression on what is really going on. Jessa hugged the girl in her arms. “Yes, it’s been a long time, baby.”

Daphne looked at Jessa. “Dad didn’t tell me that you’ll be here. Are you the one who prepared everything for grandma’s birthday?”

Jessa stared at the girl. So, she is the granddaughter of the birthday celebrant and Nick is the doctor that Gina was talking about earlier. Nick is the only child of the kind philanthropist, Laura Carter. She wondered why the kid called her mommy. “Uh…”

“Daphne,” Nick called his daughter but his eyes are on Jessa. “Will you go back to your nanny for a while? Your Mom and I just need to talk.”

Daphne quickly nodded and kissed Jessa on the cheeks. “I love you, Mommy. I’ll see you later, okay?”

“Okay, baby.” Jessa smiled to the kid and affectionately cupped her little face. “Now, go what your daddy told you.” The little girl immediately went out of the tent. When the child is gone, Jessa stood face-to-face with Nick Carter. “What was that all about?”

Nick sighed. “I’ll offer you a hundred thousand dollars for a month just to portray as Daphne’s mommy.” He received a slap on the face for that. “Why did you that?”

“What kind of a father are you? That’s lying to your daughter.”

“Yeah, I know but I don’t have any choice. My mother weaved the stories to her when she found your picture in my pocket on the day we met at the taxi.”

“You stole a picture of me?” Jessa frowned.

“No, I didn’t. You actually left it on the floor when you dropped your things. I picked it up and didn’t get the chance to return it to you. When I got to my daughter’s school, she saw it in my pocket and asked if you’re her mother. Before I could reply, my mom affirmed that you are and I don’t know what to say anymore. The girl’s been longing for her mother ever since she had a mind to think about it.” Nick sighed. “Now that Daphne saw you, I want you to be her mother for a while until I finally get the courage to tell the truth to her.”

“Is that an order from you, Mr. Carter?”

“Yes.”

“Where’s her mother, your wife?”

“She’s not my wife but an ex-girlfriend. She left our baby after she gave birth and went abroad, never bothered about Daphne.” Nick looked down on her. “So, what do you say?”

“I can’t lie to a child, Mr. Carter.”

“So do I and I think you can help me make the task easier in telling her the truth that her real mother abandoned her,” Nick replied.

“Why don’t you just tell her instead? We can’t go on like this. It’s really not right.”

“Don’t you think I don’t know that?” Nick is frowning. “I can’t tell Daphne now. It’s complicated.” They stared at each other for a while, weighing each other’s situation. With a sigh, Nick started to talk. “Would you accept my offer now? A hundred thousand dollars payable in cash monthly until we tell Daphne the truth.”

The figures started playing in her mind. That’s enough money for her to start her spa business. But her guilt will eat her. She will work to lie to a child. That’s against her personal values. The image of Daphne appeared in her mind when the child hugged her. She felt the warmth of the child’s embrace, mixed with longing and happiness. She pitied the child. Daphne only wanted to have her mother but her father lied to her about it. Now, Nick Carter will be spending thousands only to justify a mother figure for his daughter until the time that he’s ready to tell the truth to her. “You’re the only person I’ve met who asked a favor but never say ‘please’.” She rolled her eyes. She drew a deep breath. “I will only give you a month, Mr. Carter, to tolerate on your craziness.”

“Good.” Nick quickly replied. “Then tomorrow, you come back here together with your things as if you just came home from Italy. I’ll prepare a contract that we need to sign tomorrow.” And with that, he went out of the tent.

 

Chapter 4 by scarlett

 

 

“Honey, that’s ridiculous.” Jessa’s mother, Joanna, said as she watched her daughter pack her things. She just told her mother about her new job. She doesn’t keep secrets to her mother for she felt that it’s important to hear her advices on certain decisions she made in her life.

“I know and that man is so snob and arrogant. You should have seen him order me to be his daughter’s mother. Order! He didn’t ask for a favor.” Jessa shakes her head.

“If he’s that kind of person, why did you accept the job?”

Jessa stopped what she’s doing and sat on her bed, “Well, first, the salary is tempting. Second, you should have seen the look from that little girl when she hugged me, Mom. Poor little rich girl. She’s longing for a mother and her father’s lying to her.”

“So are you.”

“Well, I think that this is my chance to give that man a lesson. Don’t worry, mom. I will only be working for him in a month only. And I feel that it’s a part of my life now to do something like this for other people.” She shrugged. “You may think that I’m too nice but you know, Mom, when you see that kid, there’s just something in that little girl that made me want to protect and take care of her. I don’t know. She’s just too irresistibly charming...”

Jessa wondered if it will take her a month to go on in this charade. When she stepped in front of the big house and the door was opened by Laura Carter herself, she is starting to doubt if she can work in a lie for a month. The old woman seemed nice and she informed Jessa that Nick already told her about the plans.

“I apologized if you get into our mess, darling. You see, my granddaughter longed for a mother and when she saw your picture and saw the excited picture on her face, I just can’t disappoint her that time. It’s been hard for me and Nick to try to explain that her mother abandoned her even before she was born.” Laura said as she held Jessa’s hands. It was as if the elder woman has known her for a long time by the way she treats her.

They looked up when Nick came down the grand staircase. He’s holding a folder in his hand. “I’m glad that you came. I was wondering you’d back out.”

“You don’t trust me, Mr. Carter? We can’t portray being a husband and wife if you don’t trust me.” Jessa raised an eyebrow.

“Please, Nick.” Laura warned her son.

Nick cleared his throat as he presented her some legal document in the folder. “Here’s our contract of agreement. It simply states what we talked about last night. After signing this, I’ll have this notarized to my lawyer.” Jessa read the document.

“We’ll share a room?”

“Daphne will wonder why we are on separate rooms.” Nick replied a-matter-of-factly.

Jessa glared at him and shakes her head. “I’ll prepare the family breakfast every Sunday?”

“That’s what my daughter wanted,” Nick quickly said. “By the way, you’re from Italy and you just got through from studying in a culinary school. You’re kind, soft-spoken, well-mannered and decent.” Jessa opened her mouth but Nick continued, never giving her a chance to say anything. “I’ve already prepared a bank account for you where you can withdraw your salary. I’ve already made an extension of my credit card so that you can shop for something that will suit your job, something that will make you look good. You…”

“Excuse me,” Jessa now raised her voice. How dare this man ignore her attempt to speak for herself? “I’m not going to just stand here and be insulted. If you don’t like someone like me to pose as your daughter’s mother, it’s not my problem anymore. If you don’t like me, just say it. I may not be exactly the type of woman you’d want to be your child’s ‘mother’ but give me some respect. I’m not doing anything for you. I’m even giving you a favor on this one.” She shoved the papers back to Nick.

“Please, Nick. Jessa is right.” Laura faced her son.

Nick frowned. “Aren’t you going to sign these?”

“You have to do it nicely. If you want to have someone ‘kind, soft-spoken, well-mannered and decent’ mother for your daughter, start it with yourself.” Jessa turned around to leave, bringing her things with her. “I learned about where Daphne’s school is. I’ll just be there if you already know what to do.”



~~~



Daphne playfully hopped on the grass with her classmate, Jane, when they saw a red butterfly going towards the flowerbed. Classes already ended and they were on their way out when they spotted the beautiful insect. They followed the butterfly as it flew low over the flowers. The little girls were giggling in amusement but screamed when a bee came to the flowers. They ran away.

“That’s a big bee!” Daphne said with a shudder. She and Jane looked at each other and laughed. Daphne stopped laughing when she spotted someone familiar at the exit gates of the preparatory school. “Mommy!”

“Huh?” Jane turned around. Daphne never introduced her mommy to her.

Daphne ran towards Jessa, her backpack swinging in her back and her pigtails swinging behind her head. She hugged her ‘mother’ on her leg when she reached her. And then, she began jumping for Jessa to lift her up in her arms. Jessa laughed in amusement and bent down. She kissed Daphne on the cheeks and hugged the little girl in return. They turned when Jane appeared beside them.

“Jane, this is my Mommy!” Daphne is giggling as she hugged her mother.

“Hi, Daphne’s mommy.” Jane waved to Jessa and then turned to her friend. “I have to go, Daphne.”

“Bye, Jane. See you tomorrow.” Daphne waved briefly to her but immediately turned back to Jessa. “Where’s Daddy?”

“Right here, baby.”

Daphne’s eyes widened and Jessa admired the vibrancy of life in this little girl. If only she is her real mother, she will be proud to have this charming and sweet girl. It’s just a pity that she had Nick as her father. She looked up to Nick who may have looked casual with his white plain shirt, faded jeans and slippers but still, there’s this overpowering charisma on him that affects her senses.

“Daddy!”

Nick smiled down to her daughter as he picked her up in his arms. “How’s my girl, huh?” he placed playful kisses on Daphne’s face and neck while his daughter giggled. Jessa stood up and saw how this man loves his daughter very much. It’s sad that they are in this situation together. It would have been less complicated if Nick will only say the truth to his daughter.

“Daddy, that tickles!” Daphne embraced her father. “I’m hungry, Daddy.”

“Aw, that’s sad.” Nick placed one last kiss on her forehead. “Let’s go and eat.”

“I want Mommy to cook.”

The two elders looked at each other. Nick is still carrying his daughter as Jessa is holding the kid’s backpack. They looked like a whole family to other people. If those people only knew…

“Are you just going to stare at each other or are we going home now?” Daphne asked the two.

Home, Jessa felt warmth when she thought of what the little girl said. She suddenly thought about a dream long ago of wanting to settle down, have a husband and kids. Now, this is the closest she can get from that dream. Because right now, she’s more focus on establishing a career for herself.

“Can you go home with us now, Jessa?” Nick asked and he may not voice it out, but Jessa saw the pleading look in his eyes. There is so much pride in this man and some women may have found it hard to break through it to see the real person behind the countenance. She wondered what made this man to be this way. She looked down to the hand that he extended to her. She hesitantly raised her own to take his. When she looked at him, he is smiling and she felt herself blush.

“Aren’t you going to kiss Mommy, Daddy?”

Without a word, Nick bent down to kiss her on the cheeks. The soft, pouted red lips brushed lightly to her cheeks and it sent tingles down her spine. But she tried to hide her reaction. “Let’s go to the grocery to buy the things I need to cook.” She tells them.

“How about we just eat in some restaurant? My treat,” Nick suggested again.

“Of course, who else would it be?” she muttered. When she felt Nick tightened his hold on her hand, she knew he heard it. They reached his car and as Nick gave her Daphne, he put her things in the trunk. “Don’t you have work at the hospital?” she casually asked him. Daphne is busy wanting to be put down from Jessa’s arms. When Nick gave her a wondering look, she smiled. “My friend at the catering business told me.”

“I’ll be at the hospital this afternoon.” Nick replied and went to open the door at the back where they put Daphne on the seat, strapping the seatbelts on to her. When done, Nick opened the door for Jessa beside the driver’s seat. “Thank you, Jessa.”

Jessa stopped and turned to him. They glanced to Daphne at the back of the car who only smiled to them in return. “You’ve got an adorable kid there,” she whispered. “Let’s try to break this gently to her as much as we could.” She saw the pained look in his face and it warmed her. She never thought that a snob and arrogant man like him are still able to have a deep and caring feeling towards his daughter. He’s human after all. She can still see the emotions on his face especially when it’s about Daphne. “Let’s hope it will be over soon, Mr. Carter.”

“Nick, call me Nick,” he whispered. She only nodded and went inside the car.

 

Chapter 5 by scarlett

 

 

Jessa’s mouth almost dropped open when Daphne showed her a room adjoining the little girl’s where her collection of dolls is stored. After eating out in a restaurant, Nick brought them home. Laura was not around when they got there. The father and the daughter decided to tour Jessa around the large house, even taking her to Nick’s room where she knew she will be staying for the entire duration of her job. And then, Daphne excitedly takes her to her room where Jessa saw on the bed the four dolls that Nick bought at the toy store when they saw each other. After that, the little girl excitedly pulled her towards the adjoining room where she found the most amazing collection of Barbie dolls she had ever seen, carefully placed on cushioned shelves. Daphne called it her playroom. It is fully carpeted and there were lots of throw pillows on the floor. The kid must have spent a lot of her great time in here. Jessa turned to Nick in wonder. He is smiling in amusement. “So, this is the Barbie doll collection? There’s just…”

“Too many of them? Daphne had names for each one of them.” Nick tells her. Jessa shakes her head in disbelief. She’s still amazed by the things that the little girl already have and this man she calls her father spoiled her a lot.

“Grandma said that while you’re in Italy, you’re also helping out some homeless children by feeding them.” Daphne said. “Mommy, do you think they will like it if I give some of my dolls to them?” the two adults looked at her.

“Oh, baby. That would be wonderful,” Nick exclaimed with a wide smile. “But why? These were given to you.”

“I had too much, Daddy. Besides, what if you and Mommy will have another baby? You can put the baby here.” For a kid in such a young age, this one surely thinks ahead, Jessa thought. “Or you can sleep here while Mommy will sleep beside me on my bed.”

Nick laughed. “I’m hurt. Now that you’re Mommy is here, you don’t want to sleep with me anymore?”

Daphne hugged closer to Jessa’s neck. “I missed Mommy,” she only replied.

“Alright, darling, whatever you want.” Nick said and glanced at his watch. “I have to go to the hospital for now. I’ll see you tonight.” He kissed Daphne on the cheeks and turned away.

“Aren’t you going to kiss Mommy, too?”

Nick turned around. “Right, I’m sorry.” He went back to put a light kiss on her lips. “Goodbye, girls.”

Jessa can only stare at the retreating form of the man as Daphne replied her father with a cheerful goodbye. She should not mix her feelings with her job but that man is charming. She doubt if anyone can resist him. She even wondered if he has a girlfriend and hoped there’s none. It’s not that she would like to have him all by herself. It’s just that the charade will only be complicated if there’s a presence of a girlfriend in his life and it will only confuse Daphne.



~~~



There is silence in Nick’s room as Jessa quietly read the contract again. When she’s done, she found Nick looking at her. It’s already past eleven in the evening. Daphne is already sleeping on the other room and Nick just got home a half hour earlier from the hospital. He requested Jessa to follow him and she never thought that they will talk in his room. He still have not mentioned about the sleeping arrangements as he immediately takes out the contract again.

“This is just ridiculous, you know.” She said.

“You’re telling me.”

Jessa glared at him. “I still feel guilty lying to your innocent daughter, Nick.”

Nick drew a deep breath. “It will only take a while.”

“And what about the people who knew about Daphne’s real mother?”

“Tania was so secretive of her pregnancy because she thought that was her hindrance into being an actress.” Nick’s jaw clenched. Jessa momentarily saw the rage within him. He must have hated Daphne’s mother for abandoning them.

“I didn’t know that you liked shallow women.” Jessa raised an eyebrow. “For a man who seemed smart like you, you should know better than to fell for women like that.”

Nick glared at her. “And I didn’t know that you’re judgmental. For a woman who seemed smarter than I thought, you should know better than to oppose your employer.”

Jessa laughed. “Judgmental? Is it me or do you still have feelings for your ex? Why are you defending her? You’re pathetic, you know that?”

He stood up from his chair and went towards the closet. He doesn’t want to talk about it anymore. And this woman can easily stir his temper but amuses him at the same time. He didn’t know what is it in her that makes him want to see her annoyed and yet, also likes to see her smile. He shakes his head. As he walks towards the closet, he started stripping off his shirt.

“What are you doing?”

“I’m getting dressed.”

“You just can’t do that in front of me.” Jessa retorted and returned back to the paper. Biting her lower lip and sighing deeply, she signed the contract. This is it. There’s no turning back.

Nick glanced at her. “Why? Are you telling me that you’re still a virgin?”

“That’s none of your concern anymore.” Jessa answered. She heard him smirked. “And where will I sleep?”

“On my bed.”

Jessa turned around and almost shrieked when she only found him in his boxers. She quickly turned back around. “And you’re going to sleep on the floor.”

“That’s nonsense. The bed is too big that even two more people can lie on it. Let’s stop this issue and sleep, Jessa. I won’t dare to touch you anyway.” Nick said. He placed his eyeglasses on the table where she is. He even teased her when he intentionally leaned over to close the book he left opened earlier. Then, he walked away with a satisfying grin when he noticed how she tried to turn away from him.

Jessa felt his movements somewhere behind her until there was silence. She slowly turns around and found him already lying on the bed. She stood up and grabbed some pillows beside him. “What are you doing, Jessa?”

“I’m sleeping on the floor.”

Nick groaned. “Don’t do this, Jessa.” He stood up and followed her. She’s starting to set things up at the end of the bed. “Okay, go to the bed and sleep there. I’ll sleep here instead.” They looked at each other. “What?”

“No. This is your room and I won’t let you sleep on the floor. If I will only sleep in the guest room, then we wouldn’t have a problem.”

“But we have a different case here right now. Go ahead and sleep on the bed. I can manage here.” When Jessa didn’t move, he raked his hair through his fingers. “That’s the only option if you don’t want to sleep beside me on the bed, Jessa.” He grabbed the pillows from her and went down to the floor. “I need to sleep because I have an early morning call tomorrow.”



~~~



“Wow!” Daphne looked up to Jessa with a wide and happy smile. She was surprised when the girl suddenly hugged her tight. “I love you, Mommy. I’m so excited that you’re going to take me to school today.”

Jessa suppressed a yawn. She didn’t have much sleep, feeling conscious that a stranger was just on the foot of the bed. She rose up early this morning to beat Nick in the shower then went down to prepare breakfast for them although the maids in the kitchen insisted to leave the work to them. She slowly smoothed her fingers on the child’s hair. “I’m excited too, baby. Mommy missed you a lot.” She kissed Daphne on the forehead. “Now, let’s have breakfast. I’ve prepared something for you and for school.” She winked. Daphne is the picture of a little innocent girl who gets excited even in just simple things. And by the way that she talks and asks a lot, she’s sure to be a smart kid too. It will also hurt Jessa to admit the truth to this child who do not deserved to be fooled by her own father. Jessa watched as the dark blonde kid bounced happily when they reached the dining area. Laura is already at the breakfast nook and greeted both of them with a warm smile. Daphne began showing off her braided hair to her grandmother and telling her about the first day that her ‘mother’ will take her to school.

“That’s great. Let’s have breakfast first. I want to go too.” Laura gestured for her granddaughter to take her seat.

Daphne looked around. “Where’s Daddy?”

As if on cue, Nick arrived at the breakfast nook. He’s wearing a white golf shirt tucked in black slacks. With eyeglasses perched on his nose, he’s ready to go. “Bye, ladies.” He only drinks a glass of water and turned to leave.

“But Daddy, we’re having breakfast.”

“Not now, baby,” Nick glanced to Daphne. “Daddy is needed at the hospital.”

“But it’s our first breakfast with Mommy.”

“Baby, I need to go…” he stopped when he saw Jessa’s look. But he walked away, ignoring her.

“Okay,” Daphne’s face grew sad and she turned away. Jessa couldn’t bear that and stood up. She pulled Nick out of the dining area.

“Your daughter needed you, too. If you don’t want to hurt your daughter, why are you doing this?” Jessa hissed. “You should know that this breakfast is very important to her. It’s her first time to have a complete family and she’s trying hard to experience what she thought would be like in having a father…and a mother.” She frowned. “What makes that hospital duty so important, huh?”

“I have early rounds with my patients…”

“Does the appointed nurses, or whoever they are, also have the information for each patient?”

“Yes, but I’m a hands-on doctor and I...”

“Can you entrust it to somebody else or rather do it later? Just for today?” Jessa retorted before he could finish. A couple of hair strand fell on his forehead and she felt the urge to set it aside but she held back. Did this man know how attractive he can be? Is he seeing somebody? Jessa shakes her head to set aside the thoughts that are not related to Daphne. Focus, Jessa. When Nick didn’t reply, she tried again. “What? Your money will not be enough to mend emotional wounds in the future, Nick.”

Nick stared at her. Without any word, he returned inside and sat beside his daughter. Jessa sat on the other side of the little girl. Daphne excitedly takes the hand of the hand of the two adults and began her prayer. Nick, Jessa and Laura bowed down

“Dear Jesus, thank you for this day and for that we are about to receive. Thank you because Daddy joined us for breakfast but most especially, thank you for bringing Mommy home safe and sound after her long years of studying in Italy. Thank you for making her so nice that she’d cook for the homeless people there. Thank you for making her safe when she was hospitalized after I was born…”

Jessa raised an eyebrow at the words that she’s hearing from Daphne. They told those lies to the little kid? She looked at Nick who is only staring blankly into space, deep in his own thoughts. When Daphne is through with her prayer, Nick blinked a few more times and shook his head. He looked at her and then, turned away.

“Daddy, will you teach me now how to swim? You told me that you’re going to. Can we do it on Saturday?” Daphne said as Jessa pours milk on the kid’s glass.

Nick smiled to his daughter as he placed two hotdogs on her plate. “When I have the available time, baby. I’ll schedule our session. Why did you ask about it now?”

“Because I want to teach Mommy when I already know how to swim,” Daphne replied her father. Jessa blushed at that and saw Nick glanced to her. What is happening to her? Is she having a crush on the doctor? “And when Mommy already knew how to swim, Daddy will teach her how to scuba dive.” The little girl continued. It was as if she just thought about the greatest idea that she had for her parents. She looked up to her father who bites a piece of her hotdog before offering it to her. She smiled. “Is that right, Daddy?”

“Yes, baby. Whatever you want, sweetheart.”

 

Chapter 6 by scarlett

 

 

“Hi, Katie.”

The petite woman turned around when somebody greeted her and her eyes widened when she saw her longtime friend, Jessa. “Oh, Jessa.” She hugged her friend. “What brings you here?” She pulled her friend towards the side in the store where she is currently working as a supervisor.

“I’m just here to pay the one thousand dollars I owe you,” Jessa shyly replied. “That’s aside from the fact that I miss you.”

Katie smiled. “It’s alright. Thanks,” she keeps the money in her pocket. “I miss you, too. How are you? It’s been a long time. Did you already have a job?” They have known each other since she had her first work as a massage therapist in a spa. Katie worked as a receptionist until she resigned to work in a boutique where she met her boyfriend. “I saw your Mom last week. Please tell her that she lost weight and looked younger.”

Jessa chuckled. “My Mom would be glad to hear that, Katie. I’ll tell her when I see her. I’m currently in a stay-in job right now.” She tucked a hair strand behind her ear. “You looked great, by the way. It seems like you’re being well-taken care of by your boyfriend. Is he here?”

“Mommy?”

Both women turned to Daphne who is holding a doll in her arms. Katie looked at Jessa in wonder. Her friend kneeled down to the little girl. “What is it, baby?” Jessa picked her up and carried her. Katie still looked surprised at what is happening in front of her. Her friend already had a child? Since when?

Daphne turned to Jessa. “I’m hungry, Mommy.”

“Since when did you have a daughter?”

Jessa recognized the voice and saw Alex, Katie’s longtime boyfriend. He is also the manager of the clothing boutique that is located in the heart of LA. He looked at the girl in Jessa’s arms and before anyone can say anything, he takes out a candy from his pockets. “Hi. What’s your name?” he asked before Jessa would know what is happening.

“Daphne Louisse Carter.” The kid leaned closer to Jessa when the stranger spoke with her.

“Ah,” Alex grinned. “I knew it. I know I can recognize that features anywhere.” He turned to Jessa. “She got her father’s eyes. How did Nick’s daughter become yours?”

Jessa didn’t know what to do. How could Alex realize it that easy? It must be a mistake to come and visit Katie because her boyfriend is here to expose the truth to the young girl. And if that happens, Nick will surely be mad at her and they won’t know what will be the kid’s reaction to the truth. “Uh, excuse me.” She walked away.

The two was left in confusion. Katie turned to her boyfriend. “Who’s Nick?”

“He’s one of the young surgeons in the hospital who helped Mom last year. He also happened to be my high school mate.” They looked to where Jessa has gone to. She is currently talking with the kid and entrusting her to someone who seemed to be the nanny. “We’ve known your friend for a long time. I don’t remember her being pregnant or went out with Nick.” He spoke quietly.

“Then we’ll know… here she comes,” Katie said as Jessa returned to them. “What is happening? What does the kid mean by calling you ‘Mommy’?”

Jessa raised her hand to stop her. “Katie, you asked a lot.” Alex nodded. “Anyway, I didn’t intend to let anyone except my Mom know about this but I just wanted to drop by to see you and also give back what I owe you. I didn’t realize that she’ll come out of the car to follow me.”

“So?” Katie’s face grew concerned.

Jessa drew a deep breath and hesitated at first. But she trusted Katie and she’s been a friend for years. She can even borrow money from her like this one now where she came to pay her back. There may not be a problem somehow. Anyway, the contract doesn’t say about not disclosing it to anyone although she felt guilty that others would have learned about this. But drawing another deep breath, she changed her mind. Nick trusted her on this secret. Friend or not, she still should not tell anyone about the agreement. “Nick’s my boyfriend. His daughter and I were so drawn together that she calls me mommy now.”

“Oh, that’s not good. I mean,” Katie glanced at her boyfriend and then to her, “the kid will be devastated if ever you and Nick broke up. Don’t get me wrong, Jessa. I’m just stating on the possibility here.”

“I’ve told Nick about it, too, but he allowed Daphne to call me mommy. It’s weird at first but I got used to it.”

“How long have you been together?” Alex asked her.

Jessa shrugged. “I don’t know. I forgot. I’m so busy with so much happening around plus the overwhelming feeling I have for Nick that I lost track of time.” She laughed. When the two only looked at her, she decided to end the meeting. “Anyway, I have to go now. It’s been nice meeting you again.” She hugged the couple and then went out of the boutique.

Katie shakes her head. “You know, Alex, I know when Jessa is keeping something. And I just felt weird about this one.”



~~~



Nick placed the newly-printed files on a folder and opened the hard-bound book on his desk. Taking the pencil tucked behind his ear, he scribbled something on his notepad. For a surgeon like him, it is also important to be updated on what is the latest with medical technology. It helps to be knowledgeable in his job. Most of his patients preferred him to handle their medical cases. He’s mumbling as he writes on his notepad. He caught eyesight of his daughter’s picture on his desk and stopped.

He is only twenty-nine, one of the youngest doctors in this field of study. His competence amazed his colleagues and he takes it as an advantage to be better in the field of medicine. This is one of his passions in life. First on the list is Daphne.

He sets down the pencil and takes the picture frame. He never had plans of being a father without marrying a woman first but the unexpected came. Tania, his former girlfriend of three years, broke the news one day that her period was delayed and that she found herself pregnant.

Being a doctor and a lover of life, he was glad to hear the news although it surprised him. But Tania wasn’t happy at the news. She had dreams of making it big in the show business and she wanted to abort the child. It angered Nick and prevented her from doing so. On the first quarter of her pregnancy, Nick managed to prevent Tania from aborting his child.

By the start of her fourth month, Nick found out a way for her to continue the pregnancy. He proposed a large amount of money to her during pregnancy and after she gave birth. He also guaranteed that he would solely raise the kid on his own and wouldn’t be in the way of her plans to become successful in the career she chose to take. When Tania accepted it immediately, it angered and hurt Nick inside. He never realized that the woman he thought he loved and imagined to be his wife someday was never worthy of anything from him but only his money. He doesn’t care about money for he will earn it in his job anyway.

He gave her money until when she left the country and wanted to start a new life, never caring about her daughter. Nick knew then that he made the right decision that it’s better to raise his child on his own. And that’s how it has been. Daphne grew up not knowing about her real mother and now, she hungered for a mother’s love.

It frustrated Nick because he wanted to give everything for his daughter. He is very protective of her and no one can blame him. They found out that when she was born that Daphne had a weak heart. Tania has already left the hospital that time as soon as she had the strength. Nick cried a lot at that time. The doctors said that it was the result of the attempted abortion made by the mother and it complicated the growth of the child in the womb. It’s a good thing that she was born complete and normal. It’s just that she has a weak heart and it will be better if the baby was very well taken care of.

That’s the main reason why he couldn’t tell Daphne the truth about her mother. He’s afraid that she might have a heart attack. He’s afraid that he might lose her. He didn’t know what to do. If only he can tell Jessa to portray to be his child’s mother forever, he’d greatly appreciate it, no matter what the cost is. But he knew that the woman would never agree on that.

Nick realized that he already had tears on his face and immediately wiped it off with his white handkerchief. He wears back his eyeglasses and sets the picture frame back on the desk. He continued to stare at it until he heard knocks on the door.

He saw the charming face of his daughter and his heart warmed. Daphne’s bright smile brought an added light inside the room as the little girl happily went inside and hopped on his lap. He was showered with hugs and kisses and he felt that he’s the luckiest man. He had a very affectionate daughter and it guilt him more for lying to her.

“The baby wants to see you.”

Nick looked at the one who spoke and saw Jessa. She definitely doesn’t look like a mother with that yellow summer dress and her hair was braided just like Daphne’s. He smiled in amusement. This woman always reminds him of thinking about the humor in every situation. It always brightens up his mood. “Thank you.” He only said.

“You’re welcome.” Jessa said with a return smile. She glanced around the room. “So, you have a private office.”

“Yes. What do you think?”

“Daddy, you should change this picture.” Daphne told her father when she saw the photo frame that Nick has been staring at moments earlier. “You should put a photo of us now that Mommy is here.”

Nick and Jessa looked at each other. Surely, they don’t approve on that. A family picture will make it seem permanent on the situation they’re in. “Baby, I…” They turned when there’s a knock on the slightly opened door. A woman was standing outside with a clipboard on hand.

“Dr. Carter, oh. I’m sorry.” The woman was about to turn away when Nick called her.

“Is there anything that you want, Dale?”

The nurse smiled shyly as she walked towards the desk and puts down the clipboard. “Here’s your request for the record, doc.” She looked at Daphne. “Cute kid, doc.”

Nick smiled with pride. “She’s mine.” The nurse smiled and looked at Jessa. Then, she excused herself and went out of the room. There was an awkward moment between the two and Jessa chose to turn to the bookshelves on the corner. She should not expect that Nick would introduce her to anyone as Daphne’s mother for it wasn’t the truth anyway.

Nick watched Jessa moved towards the shelves. He actually panicked upon deciding if he will introduce her to other people or not. Just like the picture frame, it would seem permanent if others would see her as Daphne’s mother when she actually weren’t. It frustrates him that he didn’t have the courage to tell his daughter right now. “What did the doctor say about Daphne?” he asks Jessa.

The woman turned to him. “You didn’t tell me that she has a weak heart, Nick.” He saw a sudden concern and fear on her face.

“The doctor said that I’m okay, Daddy. I just don’t have to tire myself too much.” Daphne replied her father. She’s already aware of her condition and got used to the doctor’s check-up every month to monitor her health. Nick made sure of that.

“And eat healthy food, not junk food,” Jessa added to her. She turned to Nick. “She wants fast food.”

“Baby, you know what’s not good for you. Do you want to live here in the hospital? I wouldn’t like that.” Nick ran his hand on Daphne’s hair. He kissed her forehead. “Daddy couldn’t take to see you here in the hospital. This is for the sick people. You’re not going to be here so you will follow what we and the doctors tell you, okay?” His daughter nodded.

Jessa watched the father and daughter. She saw the look of worry in Nick’s eyes. She realized that her role here is more important than she thought it is. And it is more complicated. How are they going to break the fact about Daphne’s mother if the child has a weak heart?



~~~



Jessa is reading a book about massages when Nick came into the room. She stiffened by his mere presence and didn’t say anything. From the corner of her eye, she saw him walked towards the closet. She turned away. She tried to focus on the book she’s holding. Later, she heard the shower running. It didn’t take long for Nick to have his shower and moments later, he’s already out. She can smell the cool fragrance of soap and shampoo in the room.

“I’ll be sleeping now, Jess.”

That’s when she turned to him. Nick is already holding the pillows and a blanket in his arms, ready to make a set-up at the bottom of the bed. He’s only wearing a white shirt and a pair of soft cotton pajamas. “Why didn’t you tell me that she had a weak heart?”

Nick stopped on what he’s doing and looked at her. “It’s my decision not to tell you at first.”

“And what? What do you think would I feel or think when a time comes that something will happen to her that I don’t even know what’s going on? It will panic me, Nick. That’s a very complicated situation. You should have told me.” Jessa closed her book and stood up.

“Now that you know, I don’t know where this conversation will be heading,” Nick retorted. He continued setting up his own bed on the floor. “What do you want me to do? Say sorry that I forgot to tell you?”

Jessa’s mouth dropped open. “Oh! You’re just so arrogant! Why do you have to snap at me? I’m only trying to be concerned…” She saw him roll his eyes. What is he trying to imply with that? She stomped off towards the bed and grabbed a pillow. Without knowing what’s going to happen, Nick almost fell down when she hit him hard on the back with a pillow. He still hasn’t recovered when Jessa hit him with the pillow again. “Hey!”

“I hate you!”

Nick quickly turned to her. “Did you know what I did to the last woman who did that to me?”

“I don’t care about your last pillow fight.” Jessa threw the pillow at him. She glared at him before quickly walking out of the room. Nick followed her.

“Where are you going?”

“I’m going to sleep in Daphne’s room.” Nick heard her muttered and walked away. With an irritated sigh, he went back in the room.

 

Chapter 7 by scarlett

 

 

Nick couldn’t sleep, thinking about his fault. He couldn’t blame Jessa if she will act that way. He admitted that he forgot telling her about Daphne’s heart condition. He should not have retorted to her that way when she was only concerned of his daughter’s health. It amazed him to see that behavior from her. In just a very short time, she was easily attached to the child. Maybe because it’s the women’s nature to be loving and nurturing.

Jessa has this soft spot in her heart to easily care for Daphne even when she doesn’t know that about the child’s heart problems at first. Her concern may go deeper now that she realized it and will intend to give all the love and care that Daphne needs.

Nick lie his back on the bed. Sleep probably won’t come anytime soon. He decided to rise and grab his pillows. He went out of his room and made his way towards Daphne’s. He slowly opened it and saw his daughter curled comfortably within the arms of Jessa.

It formed a lump on his throat. Seeing his daughter being comfortable in the arms of a woman she thought to be her mother ached him. It clearly depicts how she deeply longed for a mother in her life. He is the worst father in the world for fooling his daughter.

Nick stared at the two sleeping form in a long time. It’s hard for him to think although the action would be only simple. He will just tell Daphne the truth. But what makes it complicated is that he and his mother already started the lie about her mother and second, there’s her heart problem. It may be hard for her to accept the truth. He couldn’t bear to see his daughter gets hurt.

He saw Daphne moved and opened her eyes. Ever since then, the kid is a light sleeper. She immediately saw her father and smiled. He walked towards the bed and knelt beside it. He kissed her forehead. “I love you, baby.”

“Daddy, are you and Mommy fighting?” Daphne whispered to him.

“No, baby. Why did you ask that?” He whispered back.

“She’s crying when she got here and then she hugged me. She thought I’m already sleep. She didn’t know that I know she’s crying.”

Nick looked at Jessa’s sleeping form. “Mommy is only worried about your heart. How are you now?”

“Jane said I’m not fine.”

“Why would your friend say that?”

“Because I told her about my doctor’s appointment every time. She said that I’m always sick that’s why I always go to the hospital.” Daphne said in a hushed tone. “Is it true that I’m not fine, Daddy?”

“Of course, you are fine.” Nick kissed her forehead again. “Do you feel anything in your heart? Do you have any problems with your breathing?” Daphne shakes her head. “If there’s anything that hurts you, tell us immediately, okay?” The kid nodded. She pouted her lips and he kissed it.

“Sleep with us, Daddy.”

“I’m a big guy,” Nick smiled down at her. “I don’t want to crush you. And besides, I might fall off the bed.”

“Then I will hold you so you won’t fall.”

Nick stared at his daughter. The beautiful blue doe eyes stared back at him with certainty that her father will give in to her request. She’s right. He moved to lie beside his daughter on the bed. Jessa is still in a deep slumber and oblivious to realize that there are already three in Daphne’s bed. The little girl snuggled closer to her father once Nick got himself settled.

“I love you, Daddy.” Daphne whispered. Moments later, Nick found his sleep.



~~~



Nick woke up and somehow felt refreshed although he only had a few hours’ sleep. When he opened his eyes, he saw a pair of blue eyes watching him. Daphne smiled. Her hair still disheveled as she sits on the bed facing him. “Good morning, Daddy.”

This is the nice way to wake up in the morning, he thought. He smiled. “Good morning.” He looked down and found Jessa still sleeping. Wow, this woman surely sleeps a lot when she gets the time for it. He slowly moved to rise from the bed and that’s when Jessa woke up. She seemed disoriented at first, wondering where she is.

“Good morning, mommy!” Daphne cheerfully greeted. Nick chuckled, seeing how cute his daughter is.

Jessa smiled, “’Morning, baby,” She was surprised to see Nick when she turned. “Hi.” She sat up. “I must have overslept.” She avoided his eyes. Oh, why can he be so cute even in the morning?

“You have,” Nick said. He was mesmerized by the simple way she ran her fingers through her hair and looked down to Daphne with a smile.

Jessa nodded. “I need to start now. Daphne, take your bath. I’ll prepare breakfast.” She said as she started to leave the bed. Nick does, too.

“Mommy…”

“I need to get going, too.” Nick stretched his arms and yawned.

“Daddy…”

The two turned to the little girl. Daphne is smiling. “What is it, Daphne?” Nick asked her.

“I’ve already asked Betty to prepare breakfast. I’m just waiting for you to wake up.” Daphne stood on her bed and began jumping. “Let’s go!” She opened her arms to Jessa and her ‘mother’ carried her. Nick only shrugged when Jessa met his look. The three of them went out of Daphne’s room.



~~~



Nick looked up when the door in his office opened. He saw the hospital director and also his friend, Dr. Kevin Richardson, entering. He sets down his pen and greeted his boss. “Good morning. What gives me the honor to be graced with your presence?”

Kevin raised an eyebrow and sits down in the visitor’s chair. “I’ve seen your daughter here yesterday together with a woman she’s calling as her mother. What’s her name?” He said directly. Nick knew Kevin too well and he doesn’t take any preamble when he wants to get things straight.

Nick suddenly felt uncomfortable in his seat. Kevin happened to be the son of a family friend and he has known the man since childhood. For whatever circumstances, Kevin would even play Dad to him sometimes ever since his father died years ago. And he knew that when Kevin brought up the topic about Jessa, the elder doctor is only concerned about Daphne’s health. And Nick is sure that Kevin wouldn’t like what he’s doing right now to his daughter. Kevin is already a married man and father to a young boy named Mason. Nick looked up to him for advices when it comes to paternal duties and he knows that he needs one right now.

“Jessa Adams.”

“Is she your girlfriend?”

Nick looked at him. “Yes.”

“Daphne thought she’s her mommy.”

Nick takes off his eyeglasses and rubbed his temples. “I let her to. Daphne’s been asking a lot about Tania lately. It’s frustrating so when I introduced Jessa, I let her call my girlfriend ‘mommy.’ And I know that it’s not right.”

Kevin shakes his head. “You can’t do that to the little girl, Nick. Considering that she has a weak heart, you shouldn’t have done this to her.” He drew a deep breath. “When are you going to tell Daphne that her real mother will never come back?”

“I want to tell Daphne anytime soon but I don’t know how.”

“You can start it by getting the right time now, Nick.”

Nick only nodded. He knows that but every time that he would attempt to bring up the topic about it, he gets tongue-tied and fear gets in the way.

“You should do that, Nick, before things come to worst.”

 

End Notes:
let me hear what you think. thank you for reading. ;)
Chapter 8 by scarlett

 

 

There was silence among the women when Nick entered the small pantry at the third floor near the nurse’s station. They discreetly watched as the good-looking doctor sets his container of pasta inside the microwave. While heating it, Nick turned to them with a smile. “Hi, how’s the day?”

“Great, doc, now that we see you.” One of the nurses replied. The women chuckled.

Nick grinned as he shook his head. “Well, it’s been great to see you, too.” He crossed his arms across his chest. “The patient at 304, is he okay now?”

“He had ten bullets in his body and amazingly, survived. He’s still in shock though. He never thought that his wife would do that to him.” A redhead nurse replied. Nick nodded.

“Doc, is that your girlfriend who was here with your daughter a few days back?” Dale asked, the nurse who was in his office when Jessa and Daphne were there.

“Oh, Jessa. Yes, great woman.” Nick replied. The microwave dinged and he takes out his food. “And she cooked this, Daphne’s favorite.” He even added and winked to them. “Excuse me, ladies.”

When he’s out of the pantry, the nurses looked at each other. The brunette one sighed. “Oh, I lost my chance with Dr. Carter. He seemed so in love with his girlfriend.”

Dale chuckled. “Yes, Jessa must be so lucky and Daphne’s already calling her ‘mommy’.”

They looked at her. “Really?”

Dale stood up as she nodded. “Well, it’s time to go, guys. I need to be at my post now.”



~~~





Nick saw Jessa reached the top of the stairs when he went out of his room. She stopped when she saw him. “Are you going somewhere?” she asks him.

“I’m going to the hospital. I just received a call.” He replied while juggling the car keys in hand. When he received a raised eyebrow in return, he asked. “What?”

“It’s not that I’m not impressed on what you do for a living. For a young man like you, it’s amazing that you’re an expert in that field. But you’re a father, too.” Jessa said. “You’re supposed to be doing your part to Daphne as well.”

Nick walked past her and down the stairs. “I don’t have the time for this now.” He stopped when Jessa caught his arm. “What?”

“Daphne will be having a part in their school’s talent show this afternoon. She already told you about it last night or have you forgotten?” Jessa released his arm. When she saw the questioning look on his face, she sighed. “Nick, I wasn’t hired to be your daughter’s nanny. If you’re not going to exert an effort on this, then I guess there’s no use that I’ll stay here any longer. You’re not making things easier for us to tell the truth to her.”

“Okay, sorry that I forgot. I promise that I will be there this afternoon.” Nick said and continued his way down the stairs. Jessa followed him.

“I’m going with you.”

Nick turned back to her. He realized that she’s dressed up to leave with him. She planned the confrontation so he will have no choice. “It’s no wonder that you don’t have a boyfriend.” He muttered and walked out of the house.

“What do you mean by that?”

Nick grinned when he felt her following behind him. He went inside the car and she followed too. “Because you’re domineering and you suck all the powers you can get from men.”

“I’m domineering?” Jessa exclaimed.

“And a dictator,” Nick added.

“What? I’m just telling you that…” She was silenced by a kiss. She never saw it coming. Nick leaned closer to give her a full kiss on the lips while his hands gently cupped her face. The kiss lasted for long that she wondered when it will end. And when he did, both of them were breathless.

“And you have the sweetest lips, too.” He kissed her once again. When he’s finished, he started the engine and without a word, he drove towards the hospital.

“Why did you kiss me?” Jessa broke the awkward silence between them. She received a chuckle in reply.

“Does it always have an explanation?”

“Why did you kiss me?” She asked again.

“Because I want to, is that a reason enough? I want to kiss you.” Nick replied. “And if you will ask me about it again, I will kiss you once I get this driving done.”

There was silence inside the car after he said that. Nick didn’t know if he’ll be offended that she’d rather shut up than to be kissed by him again. When they reached the hospital, Nick checked on what the call was all about. It’s his day off and when he was no longer needed in the hospital, they immediately left.

“It’s not part in our contract,” Jessa tried again as they drove towards Daphne’s school.

“I know but that’s a fortuitous event.”

Jessa couldn’t help herself but chuckle on that reply. “Fortuitous? Oh, my God.” She shakes her head.

“What’s the big deal anyway? Why are you so affected? Haven’t you been kissed by anyone before?” He glanced at her for a while before turning back to the road.

“I don’t kiss my employers.” Jessa stated. They reached the parking lot of the school. Nick turned to her when he turned off the engine. Jessa stopped fumbling with the seatbelt and turned to him. “What?”

“Remember what I said before?” He grinned. “You brought up the topic and you will receive my reward.” And with that, he kissed her once again.

 

 

Chapter 9 by scarlett

 

 

Laura noticed the blush on Jessa’s face when she and her son went to the backstage. “Thank God you came! The little girl has been looking for you. You’re not answering my calls.”

“My battery is low,” Nick replied, whose face is also red.

“I left mine at home. Sorry, Laura.” Jessa said.

“Okay, no harm done. Here she is!” Laura exclaimed as Daphne jumped happily when she saw her father and Jessa.

“I told my teacher to place your names in the front seats.” Daphne kissed each one of them as Nick scooped her up in his arms. She’s wearing a pretty red gown and her hair is neatly tied up in a ponytail. “I’m going to sing.”

“You know how to sing?” Jessa smiled at her.

“Daddy taught me a lot of things, Mommy. He can sing, too.” Daphne hugged her father. She went down from Nick. “Go to your seats. Watch for me, okay?”

“Don’t get too excited. Your heart, baby.” Nick kissed her on both cheeks as his daughter only nodded. “Take care and you will be the best.”

“I am and that’s because you’re both here.” Daphne said and ran away to go back to the dressing room.

Laura watched her granddaughter go. She turned to the two. Something must have happened before they got in here. If she only had the choice, she wants Jessa for her son. For these past weeks of spending time with her and seeing her concern for Daphne, she realized how capable is the woman of being the new mom for her granddaughter and the woman that is meant for Nick. But of course, she doesn’t have the right over the matter. Nick is a stubborn man and he had his own mind to do what he wants to do with his life. But she also wants to guide her son towards the path that she’s sure will bring happiness to him, and that’s having Jessa as part of it.



~~~



Even though she is not Daphne’s real mother, she’s proud to watch the little girl confidently sings alone on the stage with her own rendition of a Judy Garland song from an old famous movie. Daphne danced along with the song and it wasn’t as if this is the girl with a heart problem. She’s full of life. Her dazzling smile radiates a unique ambiance inside the auditorium that hooked the audience on her performance.

“She’s wonderful!” she silently exclaimed. Her smile fades away when she met Nick’s look. She gave him a discreet glare. Nick turned back to his daughter’s performance on stage.

Jessa shakes her head when she remembered what happened earlier. When Nick kissed her again, she gave him a sound slap on the face and a hard pull on the hair. Nick got the message and they stared in silence for a while.


“I just don’t kiss anyone especially my boss,” she glared at him.

“You know what? You’re nuts!” Nick arranged his hair.

“Why? Because I didn’t fall on your charms? Excuse me, Mr. Carter, but I don’t like men who lies to their children.” With that, she went out of the car.


The show was done an hour later and Daphne received a recognition award for her talent. Nick decided to treat everyone for a dinner in a restaurant. He and Jessa are still not talking to each other except for the moments when they need to act that nothing’s going on in front of Daphne. When they got into the parking lot, Laura and Daphne went ahead of them because Jessa’s seatbelt got stuck and Nick is still trying to help her get out of it.

“You can breathe, it’s okay,” Nick teased her.

Jessa frowned and pushed him away. “I’m not holding my breath for you. Do you think that I’m attracted to you? Do you think that your kisses affected me? Please. Spare me.” Nick only grinned and teased her as if he’s going to kiss her again. Jessa pushed his shoulders away, feeling very irritated. “What’s with this teasing, Nick?”

“Nothing, I’m just amused.” Nick grinned wider.

Jessa glared at him and she turned back to fumbling with her seatbelt. “Damn! What’s wrong with this?” She gets busy with it that when she realized that Nick is not helping, she looked up. She saw him talking with a woman. The woman is laughing at something he’s telling her, even giving him a light push on the shoulders as if something is really funny from what Nick is saying. “Nick!” She called but he doesn’t hear her. She tried it again. “Nick!”

“What?” Nick turned to her. His look gives a meaning that she’s interrupting something between them.

“I thought you’re going to help me, darling.” She smiled sweetly.

Nick raised an eyebrow and the woman beside him is also looking at Jessa. He walked back to the car and helped her with the seatbelt. In a few minutes, Jessa was free from the seatbelt.

“Who is she?” The woman asked behind Nick.

“I’m her girlfriend,” Jessa replied quickly.

“She’s my girlfriend,” Nick said at the same time.

The woman frowned. Just when she thought that she can flirt with the cute doctor, he already had a girlfriend. Nick turned to her. “I will tell Dean that you want an appointment,” he continued from what he’s been telling her earlier. “By the way, this is Jessa, my girlfriend. Jessa, this is Gretel, a friend of mine.”

Jessa smiled wider when she saw the surprised look on Gretel’s face. They shake hands. This woman is classy, someone who came from the high-class society where Nick is and she somehow intimidates Jessa. If this is the kind of woman of whom Nick keeps friendship with, how many can they be? “It’s nice to meet you, Gretel.”

“Yes, same here.” The bangles in Gretel’s wrist created a noise when they shook hands. She has a smooth, clear skin, a beautiful hair, well-manicured hands and great body. Gretel is the epitome of a rich and pampered daughter. Jessa used to envy women like her but she tried to overcome it. It will only lead her to nowhere. She would rather focus on more important things like putting up a business of her own and give her mother a good life. “By the way, I have to go. I have an early flight tomorrow to New York to meet Daddy.” Gretel tells them. “Bye, Nick.” She kissed the man on the cheeks and then she’s gone.

Jessa watched her go as the paparazzi met her when she went her way towards a chauffeured car that was waiting for her. “That’s the kind of woman I want,” she heard Nick said. “Nice girl, smart and responsible. I’ve known her since we were kids.” She felt as if somebody hit her in the heart. Of course, Nick will never notice her and look at her at the same way he did towards Gretel. For him, she’s just a person he paid to be Daphne’s ‘mother’ for a while until he finds the courage to tell the truth.

Jessa never thought it will come to this. Nick is a nice person after all and she found some qualities in him that are really charming and that attracted her to him. In just a short time that she’s posing as Daphne’s mother, there’s a wishful thinking that it may come true. But that’s just a silly dream. Nick will never look at her in the same way he does to Gretel and to other women who’s in the same level of society as his. She would rather pretend to be irritated whenever he would try to kiss her than to give in to her feelings and respond to his kiss with more passion. So, she will just choose to be contented on moments like this when Nick is close to her or when they are pretending to be a couple. It will be better that way. It will be safer than to let herself be hurt if Nick finds out about her feelings. She will only keep it to herself.



~~~



“That’s her? That’s the woman he wants for Daphne?”

“Yes.”

Two pairs of eyes watched as Nick turned to the woman with the mid-back length auburn hair with a mix of honey blonde, brown and black natural streaks. She has sun-kissed brown-olive skin that showed her Native American heritage. Her body has an athletic-built but not muscular. Nick tells something to her in which the woman frowned and gave him a light punch in the arm. He only chuckled as he took her hand and led her to the restaurant.

“Her name is Jessamyn Adams and everyone calls her Jessa.” The man said beside a woman inside a heavily-tinted car. “They say that she’s Nick’s girlfriend and his daughter is already calling her ‘mommy’.”

“What’s her background?”

There was a shuffling of papers as the man read the investigative report. “She’s a struggling entertainer before she met Nick Carter. But before that, she finished a course in a massage school to become a therapist. She worked in various spas here in LA. At the untimely death of her father and with a shaky relationship with her brother and sister, she struggled to take care of her mother. That covers everything about her.” The man said.

“How did they meet?”

“Every one who knows them wondered as well. Jessa just suddenly came to the picture and Nick’s been introducing her to everyone ever since.”

The woman beside him drew a deep breath. “I need to do something. I won’t let this thing pass.” She unlocked the car door.

“Where are you going?”

“I’m going to give Nick the best surprise of his life. I’m going to show up there and tell him that I’m back.” Tania said and went out of the car.

 

 

Chapter 10 by scarlett

 

 

“I was thinking a few days back,” Laura started as her son and his ‘family’ started with their food, “about going on a European vacation. I want Jessa and Daphne to come along with me.”

“That’s great, Mom.” Nick looked down to his daughter. “Do you want that, baby?”

“I want you to come, too.” There is the excited glint in the little girl’s eyes. “Let’s go to Italy.” Nick almost choked on his water when his daughter said that. How could Daphne know that Italy is in Europe? He turned to her.

“Italy?”

“Mommy told me about Italy and that it is in Europe.” Daphne replied. Jessa only shrugged when Nick took a glance on her. “I want to go there!”

“Yes, maybe,” Nick muttered.

“I’m excited, Mommy!” Daphne added. She then, announced that she needs to go to the ladies’ room. Her grandmother quickly volunteered to accompany her. Jessa is only silent. She has a dilemma when Laura announced her plans for vacation and she couldn’t tell that to them, especially that Daphne is in front of her.

“You told Daphne about Italy?”

“She asked about it. I told her that it’s a country and where it is.” Jessa answered. She takes a bite on her food. It takes her a while before she speaks again. “Nick, you’ve got to tell her anytime soon.”

“Don’t you want to go to Europe?” Nick asks. She shakes her head. “Come on. It will be fun.”

“Nick,” Jessa frowned. “Think of Daphne. We can’t do that. It will only create more damage from what has already been done.” She quietly tells him. “And besides, I don’t have a passport. I don’t want to tell that in front of Daphne. Her ‘mother’ has been to Italy but still doesn’t have a passport.” She saw him grinned. She rolled her eyes and lightly slaps his arm. “Yeah, I know. That’s funny and ridiculous!” She bit her lip on that.

“I, uh…” Nick leaned towards Jessa and touched her arm. He was about to speak when Daphne and Laura are back.

“Dad, can I have ice cream?”

“Sure, baby.” Nick called a waiter to make his order.

“Have you already decided?” Laura asked the two. Nick gave his mother a look about something to talk about later. Laura understood and they went back to eat.

“Hi, Nick.”

Nick’s eyes widened upon hearing that voice. He knows that voice. So did Laura. They looked up to see Tania standing behind Daphne, who’s busy asking Jessa about tying her shoelaces. “Tania…” Nick’s voice trailed off.

Jessa immediately looked up when she heard the name he said. So, this is Daphne’s real mother. Oh, no!



~~~



“What are you doing here? Why did you do that? We have an agreement!” Nick quietly hissed after he took Tania out of the restaurant to talk with her alone. He didn’t want to show it but he actually feared this moment when Tania decided to go back to his life and show herself to Daphne.

“I just want to see my daughter.”

“The daughter that you gave up years ago,” Nick added.

“I’m still her mother.”

“Regardless of that, you’ve given up the responsibility and we have a legal contract on that.” Nick frowned. “Go away. Don’t show up again.”

“And what? Let that woman be recognized as her mother? I won’t let that happen. I’m still Daphne’s mother and I will bring this to court.” Tania exclaimed. Nick is thankful that they are in the parking lot otherwise, people will give them curious looks and he doesn’t want to be the subject of anyone’s attention.

“In the first place, it’s your choice, Tania. No matter what angle you see it, you gave up the child and you gave me your full rights as her mother. I have the legal document on that.” Nick casually said even though his insides were churning at the thought of a court battle for his daughter. He doesn’t want to resort on that. Daphne is his. “And that woman inside with Daphne is a great woman. It wouldn’t harm anyone of us if she will step on the role which was supposed to be yours.” His eyes narrowed. “Try to bring this to court, Tania, and you will get your own dose of medicine. I’m not going to give her up to you. You’re not going to win her this time. If I only knew, you just want another piece of my money, huh?”

“Yeah, you’re right. I’m going to get what I want.”

Nick gave her one last glare and then went back inside the restaurant.



~~~



There was silence inside the car as they went home. Daphne got tired and went to sleep on her grandmother’s lap. Jessa is sitting beside Nick who is driving the car. After Tania’s unexpected appearance earlier, the festive mood was gone. Everyone was in deep thoughts, except Daphne who still doesn’t know what’s happening.

When they reached the house and Nick stopped the car in the front, he went out and took his daughter from his mother. The two women watched him walked up the stairs and towards Daphne’s room.

“He’s worried and afraid of losing Daphne,” Jessa heard Laura said as they went in the house. They only smiled at the butler who greeted them and together, they walked up the stairs.

“Tania is Daphne’s mother. That’s her, right?” Jessa recalled what happened when Tania approached their table. Nick stood up, quickly excused himself from them, and pulled Tania out of the restaurant. Daphne wondered who the woman is and Laura quickly replied as someone who is her father’s friend.

“Yes, that’s her,” Laura replied with a sigh. “She’s still a beauty, from the last time I saw her. But I really don’t like her ever since. I know the women of her kind and what they want from my son. For years of keeping up with Nick ever since his father died, I’ve noticed how some women got attracted not just by his looks and charm or his intellectuality but also by the wealth that he had. His father was a successful real estate businessman before he died of liver cancer."

"Nick, being the only child, inherited everything from his father including the family business. But since he is a full-time doctor, he entrusted the position to a cousin while still maintaining the majority of the shares in the company. I saw how hard it was for Nick when his Dad died and then Tania announced about her pregnancy. It brought life back to my son although in some part, it disappointed him that she doesn’t want the child. He took the matters legally and offered Tania what she wants. You know the rest that happened.” She finished. She takes Jessa’s hands.

“Jessa, I hope that this will be over. I never interfere with my son’s decisions. I’m only here to guide him. But with you, I hope you can somehow help. My son and my granddaughter need you. I need you, too.”

Jessa couldn’t help but only nod. She doesn’t have a choice anyway. And this may be the only and last way to show Nick that she cares for him and his family. After this, maybe she can go back to her normal life. But her heart will remain to him.

 

 

Chapter 11 by scarlett

 

 

Jessa was about to go to the kitchen to get a glass of water when she realized that she is the only one in the room. Nick wasn’t in the usual place he’s occupying when he sleeps. He’s nowhere on the floor. Putting on her slippers, she quietly walked out of the room to look for him. It didn’t take her long since she heard a quiet noise on the terrace. She went there and saw Nick sitting on a chair, his arms hanging by his knees and his head dipped low.

She saw the shaking of his shoulders and realized that he’s crying. Her heart goes out to him. It’s probably something about Tania and Daphne. She understands if Nick is crying over worry for Daphne but if it’s about Tania, it hits Jessa straight to the heart. Could it be that he still feels something for her?

She heard him sniffed and saw him wiped his tears. When he straightened up to lean back on the chair, he saw her. “I thought you’re asleep.”

“I got thirsty and then I realized that you’re gone.” Jessa started to go back but Nick called her.

“Will you please stay with me for a while?”

Jessa didn’t think twice when she felt that this is the time that he needs company. And she wants to be with him and make him feel that she will always be there whenever he needs her. In fact, she’s beginning to love being in his company, either they are arguing or agreeing over something. She sits down on the chair beside his.

“What are we going to do now?” She asks, knowing that Nick understand what she is talking about.

“We have to tell Daphne tomorrow.”

Maybe it was her turn to cry. Her job will be over soon. She will be out of this house and of the Carters’ life. She blinked many times to keep the tears from flowing and a lump formed in her throat when she prevented herself from crying. It’s hard but she has to face it. She chose to do this in the first place. There’s no one to blame if she happens to fall for her boss but herself.

“Jessa…”

“Yes, we’ve got to tell the little girl. I hope it’d turn out fine.” She quietly and carefully said so as not to let him know that she is close to tears.

“I’ve got to tell you this before I lose my chance, Jessa.” Nick started after a few moments of silence.

Jessa shakes her head to erase the thought that Nick may feel the same way about her, too.

“I’m sorry for the rude and arrogant man that I am, for that time that I insulted you and told you things that hurt you. I deeply apologized.” Nick faced her. “And second and the most important thing is that I am thanking you for doing the best that you can be, as what a mother should be. For the past weeks of being with us, you’ve given my daughter the happiness of having one although we know that we’re lying to her. But still, I appreciate all your concerns, your effort and your love for my daughter. You are a good person and I wish you all the best for your plans in life. And I hope that someday, you will find someone who will love you and will give you a wonderful life of having a family of your own.”

Jessa nodded and smiled. She couldn’t help the tears from falling now. She quickly wiped it. “Sorry…”

“Ssshh…” Nick smiled and then pulled her in a hug. “Thank you for coming into our lives, Jessa. You’ve done a lot for my daughter and for me, too. And I will never forget when we played rock-paper-and-scissors.” They chuckled. They pulled apart. “If you need anything, I’m just a call away.”

From the dark hall inside the house, Laura silently watched the two and hopefully prayed that a miracle will work between Nick and Jessa. If only he can see it, Jessa is the woman he’s been waiting for in his life. But maybe, he just had to lose her first before realizing how important she is to him.



~~~



Nick took off his eyeglasses and drew a nervous deep breath. He entered Daphne’s room but didn’t find her daughter there. When he went to the adjoining room, he saw her playing with the four dolls he bought. Those were her favorites, especially the one that Jessa chose. “Hi, baby.”

Daphne looked up and smiled. Nick sat beside her. His daughter kissed him first before going back to her dolls. “I have something to tell you, Daphne.”

The little girl looked up. “What is it, Daddy?”

Nick drew another deep breath. “Remember when I told you that your mother was away for a job? She’s been away and now, she’s back.”

“I know, Daddy. What are you saying?”

“Your mom didn’t study cooking in Italy. She’s an actress in England. That’s where your mommy has been for the years since the time she left you and me in the hospital. She just came home and she’s the one who approached us last night at the restaurant.” When Nick saw that Daphne’s eyes were full of confusion now, he takes her hand. “I’m sorry that Daddy lied to you, baby. Jessa is not your real mother. Your mother’s name is Tania and she’s the one who came to us last night.”

Daphne began to cry. “It was wrong to lie, Daddy.” When he tried to reach for her, she moved away. Nick’s tears fell. “I want my mommy.”

“I’m sorry, baby.”

“I want my mommy!” Daphne said again and ran out of her room. She met Jessa in the hall and stopped. The kid looked up at her for a while before succumbing into her arms. “Mommy!”

“Baby!” Jessa embraced her. “Please understand, Daphne. I’m not your real mommy. Your dad only asked me to be your mother for a while because…”

“I don’t care. You’re still my mommy.” Daphne cried. Jessa shushed and tried to calm her. The kid is starting to gasp consistently.

“Ssshh. Your heart, baby.”

Daphne nodded and stopped crying. Her embrace on her grew tighter when they felt Nick tried to get her. “Daddy, I want my mommy! I hate you!”

“Please, Daphne. I’m so sorry.”

Daphne let go of herself from Jessa and ran back to her room and locked it. Nick failed to catch his daughter and knocked on the door. “Daphne, open this door. Don’t lock this. I won’t come inside, I promise.”

“You failed a lot of your promises, Daddy!”

Nick felt a pain in his heart when his daughter said that. Yes, Daphne is saying the truth. He failed her many times. He knocked again. He is worried that his daughter might have a heart attack. When he saw his mother came up to the second floor to know what the commotion is all about, he immediately asked for the spare key. “Daphne, please open the door.”

“I don’t want to, Daddy!” Daphne screamed from the other end. She’s crying a lot harder and the adults outside the room were so worried of her condition.

Jessa glared at Nick as she softly pounded on the door. “Baby, this is Jessa. You know I’m not your mommy but I cared a lot about you. Let’s talk about this. We’re worried. Your heart, baby. Please. Don’t lock this door. We only want to make sure that you’re fine.” But the kid won’t budge and is still crying. She’s beginning to get worried as she remembered the consequent gaps and abnormal breathing that Daphne’s having while embracing her moments earlier. “Where’s the key?” She saw Nick’s helpless stare on the door. He stopped knocking when she did and just stood there. There were tears in his eyes when he turned to her. She never thought that there’s such man who would face a woman in this most vulnerable moment in his life. She saw him leaned his forehead on the door and knocked again.

“Baby, I’m sorry…”

They both turned to the door when they heard the scratches and noises inside. They couldn’t hear the cries anymore. Nick shouted to prepare for a car. Laura came with the keys and they immediately opened the door. They saw Daphne kneeling in front of the bed, gasping for a breath while her hand was placed near her heart.

“Daddy…”

Nick quickly picked her up and placed her on the bed. Jessa watched as he gives his daughter the first aid for heart attacks. She knew that Nick will lose his mind if something will happen to Daphne. He can never forgive himself and so did she. Jessa will never forgive herself and she couldn’t imagine living a life if they lose Daphne.

 

Chapter 12 by scarlett

 

 

Jessa has been pacing back and forth for a long time now and then she would settle to a nearby chair. It’s been two days since Nick told his daughter the truth about her mother. Daphne almost had a heart attack but Nick was able to save her. After that, Nick decided to continue with the operation that has been advised by Dr. Richardson a long time ago. Now, Nick is inside with the elder doctor to finally put an end on Daphne’s weak heart condition.

Laura held Jessa’s hand. The elder woman has been crying a lot. She’s been worried of her granddaughter, too. “I hope my Daphne will be alright.”

“She will,” Jessa told her and herself. “We will see her play and sing on stage again.”

“I’ve got to tell you this before you decide to leave us.” Laura said and faced her. “Ever since I’ve known you and have seen you care a lot for this family, I have had hopes that Nick would realize how special you are. You’ve been so great and I never thought that a stranger like you could have a big heart to be concerned a lot about this family. If you leave, I’m sure that everyone will miss you. I will surely miss you. I’d like to thank you for all that you’ve done in this family. I’d like to thank you because I finally found a woman that I want for my son. If only Nick can see it, you’re just the one that we’ve all been waiting for.”

Jessa’s tears fell as she drew a deep breath. “Uh, I don’t know what to say but thank you for your trust and belief that I’m capable to do such things. It’s been heartwarming. I will never forget this experience that I had with you and your family, Laura. Thank you, too.” She reached out to wipe the old woman’s tears on her cheeks. “And about Nick, just let him find the woman that is really meant for him. It may be me or not, we just hope that he’ll be happy and that the woman who will come in his life would treat him well.”

“Yes, I’ve been praying for that.” Laura nodded.

The surgery has been a long wait but the two women patiently stayed outside to wait for the development. It’s been hours since Daphne was taken inside the room and they were waiting in agony. Still, nobody even wants to leave. The butler, who was with them, carefully took care of their needs and tried to tell them to eat. Laura and Jessa gave in but only made a quick break then went back outside the surgery room to wait once again.

“What happened to my baby?” Even though she still hasn’t reached the door of the surgery room, Laura and Jessa already heard Tania’s voice echoing down the hall. Laura stood up and faced the approaching woman.

“In the first place, you have no right over my granddaughter.” With all the grace and composure she had as a famous socialite, Laura tilted her chin high as she faced Tania, “so don’t call her yours.”

Jessa watched as Tania raised an eyebrow. “Back off, old woman. I know that you brainwashed Nick and made him offer me money in exchange for my child.”

“You know better that I never interfered with my son. It was his decision to do what is necessary when you announced that you’re abandoning your child. You never cared about her ever since she was conceived, even tried aborting her. It never happened but it turned out that she has a weak heart and it was your fault. That’s the complication when you tried to kill your own daughter.” Laura straightforwardly stated. “Now, tell me who has the right. And try to bring this to the court and I will tell everyone the kind of person that you are and what you did to my granddaughter. Let’s make them decide if they will trust you with Daphne or not.”

“You’ve given me no choice then…” Tania glared.

“I didn’t, we didn’t,” It was Laura’s turn to raise an eyebrow. “I’ve had records that you even bought a plane ticket out of the country days before you gave birth to Daphne. You’re so eager to leave her and Nick to get on with your life.”

Jessa stood up. “Uh, let’s not talk about it here, please. The people are staring. And let’s respect Daphne who is now struggling for her life inside the surgery…” she tries to say. Laura turned to her and held her hand. The elder woman sat back on the chair, pulling Jessa to sit beside her. Tania was left standing and looking around her.

“I won’t leave.” She said and sat beside Jessa. The women didn’t say anything to her. She turned to Jessa. “How long have you and Nick been together?”

“Not that long,” Jessa replied and looked at Tania, “But enough to earn respect from his family, especially from his daughter.”

“He will give up on you now that I’m back. He loves his daughter and he will only want the best for her and that includes a complete family…” Tania was interrupted by Laura.

“That will only happen if Nick will ask Jessa to marry him, not you, especially not you,” the elder woman retorted.

Jessa bit her lower lip as she found herself in the middle of the two bickering women. She was about to speak when the door finally opened and it revealed Kevin. When he saw Tania, his jaws clenched. He turned to Laura who immediately approached him.

“How’s my granddaughter, Kevin?”

“She’s fine. She will be better soon,” Kevin lightly squeezed the woman’s arm. “Nick is inside, never wanted to be separated from Daphne. You’ve got a strong family inside, Laura, and Nick did his best to save his daughter.” He turned to Jessa. “You must be his girlfriend.” He said, ignoring Tania who stood beside Jessa. “Nick asked me to tell you to wait for him.”

Jessa nodded. “Thank you, doc.”



~~~



Jessa sits alone in the chapel. The heart surgery has been successful and while Nick is too busy never wanting to leave Daphne’s side and arranging the best suite for her, she decided to go to the hospital’s chapel and say a prayer of thanksgiving.

‘Dear God, I thank you for giving this blessing of a new day for all of us especially for our darling little girl who deserves the gift of a good and healthy life,” she quietly started. “I hope she will grow up to be loving, respectful and kind person. May You always guide her in every thing she say or do.

As for her father, I hope he will find his own happiness. Please guide him, too. He’s a good father and he loves his daughter very much. I ask for your forgiveness that we resorted into deceiving Daphne. I am deeply sorry for that’

Jessa wiped her tears. She recalled the past months of her life where she found something she only dreamed of when she was younger. When she was younger, she dreamed of becoming a wife and mother just like her own Mom. For a short period of time, she experienced being a part of a complete family, having an almost-husband and a daughter. For once, she lived her dream. Daphne is the picture of a child she hoped to have: loving and caring. And Nick is the type of man she would want for a husband, despite of his arrogance sometimes. She smiled at that thought.

But it will never happen in her real life because her job already ended. Daphne knows the truth. She’s doing fine now and they will all go back to their normal lives. She shouldn’t expect more because this is all that there is. She will leave bringing along just the memories with her. And Nick will never see her the way that she thinks she sees him right now. She will have no chance. She knew it from the last time that they had a conversation – the night before he told the truth to Daphne. He even wished her well for her life. That only means that she has done a good job and he’s looking forward of moving on with his daughter and she will be on her own.

 

 

Chapter 13 by scarlett

 

 

Nick quietly stared at his daughter’s sleeping form while he is sitting on a soft couch inside the suite he has especially taken for Daphne. He always made sure to provide the best for his little girl. He couldn’t leave her side; let her out of his sight for a moment. The heart surgery has been successful. It was the most intense experience in his life – by trying to save his daughter. Daphne is on her way to recovery now but he still couldn’t help himself to get worry, not because there might be complications from the surgery as it was very well-performed but because he really doesn’t want anyone in his family to be inside the hospital. Being a doctor gave him a lot of experiences in dealing with sickness and death. It’s been hard for him to bear the sadness of some people’s condition and he doesn’t want to feel that way.

Nick was about to drift off to sleep when he heard the door opened. There was a rustle in the Sitting Room of the suite. He turned and saw Tania. He stood up. “This is the effect from your attempts of aborting her and now, you have the guts to show your face here.”

“No matter how much you will keep her away from me, you can’t deny that I’m still her mother and not that girlfriend of yours,” Tania replied.

“What do you want now?” Nick asked. He saw her eyes began to water with tears. Here we go again. Open the dam, he thought.

“Can’t you give me a chance to start anew and be back in your life, Nick? I missed you so much because I realized that I still love you. And I’m ready now to make us become a family.”

“I no longer trust you, Tania. Don’t use your drama on me,” Nick’s jaw clenched.

Tania wiped her tears. “I’m not making a drama. I’m telling you what I feel. Now, if we can’t be together again, you should, at least, let me be known by my daughter.”

“I will not deny her that but she will never be yours, Tania.” Nick stared at her for a while. He knows her and she has plans but he won’t let her get away with it. “You will never get her. She may recognize you as her mother but she will never go with you. We legally agreed on that. You formally relinquished her to me, along with your rights as the mother.”

“I know.”

Nick nodded. It seems like Tania already accepted that fact that she will never be able to take Daphne away. He turned to Daphne who is still sleeping. He puts his hands in his pockets. “How are you?” He asked quietly. “Did you get your dream?” There’s no use to continue fighting with her. They both know the agreement they had years ago. And after all, she’s still his daughter’s mother. He saw her bit her lower lip.

“Yes, I did. I’m famous in London. I have several projects that this is the only vacation I had for my time off.” Tania met his look. He knew she’s become famous. He was updated by the nurses every time something new came up about her. “Besides, I missed you,” she continued telling him. “I never thought that I’d miss you this much, that I still love you after all.”

“After all?”

“I love you, Nick. And I’m willing to give up the things I have now just to be with you…”

Nick shakes his head. “I moved on, Tania. You’re now just a mother to my child.”

“And you’re making Daphne refer your girlfriend as her mother now?”

“Daphne knows Jessa isn’t her mother. I made it clear on that but still, she’s calling her Mommy.” Nick replied, glancing at his daughter then back to Tania. It’s true that after Daphne almost had a heart attack, she’s still calling Jessa her ‘mommy’ because she said she wanted to. When a heart surgery was immediately scheduled for her, Daphne always seek the comfort and safety in Jessa’s presence until she was needed to proceed on the day of the surgery.

“And you’ll make it permanent when you marry Jessa?” There’s a sad look on Tania’s face but Nick knew she’s a good actress. There were several times that he fell on her trap but not now. She lost his trust and respect when she signed the legal document of relinquishing her rights to him as a parent. It will be hard for Nick to believe the truth in Tania’s words and actions now.

“Why do you want to know?” Nick would rather ask than to answer to question. The truth is, he doesn’t know. Jessa has made an impact in their lives that he doesn’t want her to go. Now that Daphne is fine, the job ended as stated in the contract but he’s beginning to consider on making her stay. How can he tell someone to stay when the person wants to be away in the first place?

“I’m still hoping that I can get you back.”

Nick didn’t reply. He turned to his daughter and sits beside her. When the bed moved a little, Daphne slowly woke up. “Oops, I’m sorry, baby.” His daughter only smiled and then looked at Tania. He cleared his throat. He held her hand. The little one still deserves to know her mother. He won’t deprive her of that. “Daphne, this is your real mom.” When he said that, he felt his daughter gripping his hand tighter. Daphne is expecting his guidance in the situation. His poor daughter; she didn’t deserve this dilemma. “Your mom wanted to see you while she’s on vacation.”

“Daddy’s right, Daphne,” Tania leaned closer to their daughter. Daphne only looked at her.

“But why aren’t you here with us? Where were you?” the little voice spoke to her after a few moments.

“I, uh, had a job that kept me away in a very long time.”

“Will you stay now?” Daphne asked again.

It took a long while that Tania couldn’t reply on her daughter’s question. And being the kid that she is, Daphne has a short attention span and turned to her father. “Dad, where’s Mommy?”

Nick was about to reply when he and Daphne were surprised at Tania’s sudden outburst. “I am your Mommy! Do you understand? You only have one Mommy and that’s me!” She shouted.

“Hey! You don’t talk to her like that!” Nick angrily stood up and pulled Tania out of the room but Daphne began to cry. Nick went towards her daughter, followed by Tania who pushed Nick away. She kept on talking and shouting at Nick. “Stop it, Tania. You’re making the kid upset.”

“I will say what I want to say,” Tania continued, “I’m your Mommy and I will get you. You will never be anyone’s daughter but me, Daphne.”

“I hate you!” Daphne cried as she shakes her head and pulled her Daddy tighter in an embrace. “Daddy, take her away.”

“Ssshh, Daphne…” Nick pulled away and took Tania out of the room and into the lobby. Some people were surprised at the commotion as Tania continued talking in a raised voice. “Stop! Stop it, Tania! You’re not going anywhere near my daughter. You have no right to raise your voice at her!” When she tried to reach for the door, Nick blocked the way and lightly pushed her away. “I don’t want to hurt you, Tania. Go away! Daphne just had a surgery and you’re not helping her recover. You’re making her upset.” His loud voice brought the attention of the security in that floor. Laura, on the other hand, was coming down the hall when she saw the scene.

“You can’t stop me, Nick!” Tania glared at him as the security held her after Nick instructed them to.

“You shouted at my daughter!” Nick replied. He turned to his mother. “Mom, go to Daphne. She’s alone inside.” The older woman quickly followed. He turned to Tania. “I’ll get a temporary restraining order. The hospital staff here can witness on what has been your attitude. You’re a threat to my daughter and I can’t forgive you for what you’ve done.”

“I can’t forgive you, too. You let her call someone else as ‘mommy’.”

Nick shakes his head. “In the first place, you gave her up to me even before she was born. We have a legal document on that. You never really wanted her. And may I ask, did your fans in London know that you’re already a mother?”

“No, but I intend to tell everyone…”

“Get her out,” Nick ordered the guards and went back inside the suite. Daphne is no longer crying. When he sat beside his daughter on the bed, he held her hand. “I’m so sorry, baby. How are you?” He asked worriedly. Tears began to fall.

Daphne reached out his face with her little hand to wipe away the tears. “I’m fine, Daddy,” she sniffed. “Where’s Mommy Jessa?”

Nick smoothed her hair. “Why do you still keep on calling Jessa your mommy when you know that she isn’t?” he asks instead.

“Because that’s what I think a mommy should be, a nice one like her.” Daphne replied a-matter-of-factly. “I don’t care if she isn’t my real Mom. What matters most is that she cares a lot for us more than anyone should. Am I right, Daddy?”

Nick nodded and kissed her on the forehead. “You’re right, baby. But right now, I don’t know where Jessa is. I’m waiting for her, too.”

 

 

Chapter 14 by scarlett

 

 

Am I ready to tell them that I’m leaving the job, now that it’s finally over? Jessa asked herself as she went out of the chapel and ready to go back to the suite where she’s told Daphne was taken into. She shakes her head. She really had to get some courage to tell it to Nick, and most especially to Daphne. The little girl has grown dear to her.

“Excuse me?”

Jessa turned to the nurse who spoke. “You’re Dr. Carter’s girlfriend, right.” The nurse asked and she only nodded. “There’s something going on at the second floor outside his daughter’s suite. I just thought you’d want to know.”

She only nodded. “Thank you,” she preferred the stairs towards the second floor just in time when the elevator opened and Tania came out and has been escorted by the security and Kevin. They didn’t see each other. She reached the floor and things seemed normal. She found Nick and Laura with Daphne, who is very excited to see her. She kissed her on the forehead. “How’s my little darling? Do you think you can sing and dance on stage again?” she winked.

“I’m fine, Mom. Dad and Uncle Kevin are great doctors. I’m sure I’m fine.” Daphne answered her.

“Ah, Daphne, You just knew how to complement your father.” Nick playfully shoved her hair.

“It’s true, Daddy, although Uncle Kevin is better since he’s older.” Daphne said which makes the three adults laughed.

“Hey, I hear that. Who’s that noisy little kid who said that?” Kevin asked who just came inside. He kissed the little girl on the cheeks. “Is it you? Do you think I’m that old, huh?” He lightly and playfully pinched her cheeks.

Daphne laughed. “Uncle Kevin! My heart!”

“Oh, you can’t fool the old man on that. We made sure you’re fine enough.” They laughed. Kevin turned to Nick. “I was informed about what happened. I made sure that she’s escorted out in a nice way though.” Nick didn’t say anything. He and his friend excused themselves and went towards the sitting room of the suite, away from Daphne’s earshot. Jessa followed them while Laura stayed behind.

“What happened?” She asked the two. They turned to her. “A nurse informed me that something’s going on here but when I got here, I didn’t see anything.”

“Tania and I were talking about Daphne. When the little girl woke up, I introduced her to her real mother and she began asking questions to Tania. It came to the part when she asked her mother if she’ll stay but Tania didn’t answer or rather, it took her a while to answer it. And before she could reply, Daphne turned to me and asked about you, calling you ‘Mommy’ in front of Tania. That made Tania reacted about you and shouted at my daughter.” Nick quietly explained.

“She raised her voice to Daphne?” Kevin frowned.

Nick nodded. “Daphne was so upset that she began to cry. I took Tania out of the room and told her to leave. It was hard. We kept on arguing in the lobby until the security came and took her away.” His jaws clenched. When he glanced at Jessa, she’s staring back at him. “It was upsetting, the way she treated my daughter. I’ll file a TRO against her. I don’t care if she’s my daughter’s mother.”

“But you can’t blame Tania, too,” Jessa said. “It’s true that she’s wrong when she treated Daphne that way earlier or acted way beyond you expected from her but she’s still her mother. You can’t take that away from her.” She drew a deep breath. “And besides, Daphne needs a mother. Now that Tania is here, you can give her that chance.”

“Daphne was even scared of her mother. And I don’t want to think on how she will grow up having a mother like that.”

“Do you really think she’s scared of Tania?” Jessa asked him. She’s doing this for Daphne. The kid needs a mother and now that her job is done, Tania can do the role now. Maybe, Tania can be a good mother after all. “Nick, if given the chance, the kid may like her mother. They can spend a time together.” When he only stared at her, she continued. “Nick, we both have our mothers and we know how important they are in our lives. Don’t deny that loving feeling to your daughter.”

“Wait.” Nick shakes his head. “As far as I can remember, I’m the father. Don’t tell me what to do.”

Kevin tried to cut in when he felt the tension rose between the two. “Come on, Nick, she’s just –“

“And I only paid you to play the role of her mother for a while so stop telling me what to do.” Nick continued. Jessa and Kevin stared at him. Kevin stared in disbelief for he just found out the truth and the arrangement between these two while Jessa stared with hurt in her heart when she heard the words from Nick.

Jessa blinked twice. “Oh, yeah. I forgot. And furthermore, my contract has ended too. My job is done. I really don’t have the right to say those things to you, Sir, and I’m sorry.” She turned away and walked towards Daphne. Nick didn’t try to move from where he is standing and only watched her kissed his daughter on the forehead and said goodbye. It’s just a simple farewell but the little girl seemed to understand what’s going on. She doesn’t want Jessa to go but the other one quickly turned to Laura and hugged her. Without looking at him and Kevin, she immediately was out of the suite.

Jessa is gone.

 

 

Chapter 15 by scarlett

 

 

Nick walked towards the balcony. It’s been quiet around the house and he finds it different. It seems like something has gone away along with Jessa when she left the place. He sat down on the couch situated at the corner facing his backyard’s large garden. It’s peaceful but it still seemed like something is missing. He didn’t want to think that it’s Jessa’s presence because he oriented himself from the start that her stay was only temporary. He didn’t want to think that she has really done a great work of playing the role of Daphne’s mother so well that his daughter hated him for days because he didn’t try to look for her and bring her back in the house. It’s not that easy and Daphne still couldn’t understand that. He couldn’t tell her that Jessa is angry at him for saying those words to her. He was really out of line there, at the hospital. He knew that Jessa was just trying to help and that she’s still concerned about Daphne’s welfare. He didn’t have to remind her that she was only paid to do the job that they agreed from the start.

Nick sighed. He heard his phone rang and answered it. It’s his best friend, Chris, on the other line. “Hi, how are you? Where are you? Huh?” He listened for a while. “I’m not in the hospital. It’s my day off.” He replied and listened again. “Daphne’s not here. She’s in school. I don’t know, man. I stopped dating for a while. Why? It’s because of Daphne.”

He stood up and paced for a while. He smiled. Chris is back in town and he wants Nick to go back on the dating scene. “No, I don’t know.” He replied again. Chris can be pushy sometimes. “And where did you hear that? Yes, I had a girlfriend but we already broke up. Yeah, Daphne’s calling her mommy and now my daughter is mad at me for losing her.” He looked down in the garden. The place is really empty and he doesn’t like it. “I’ll think about it for now, Chris. I’m sorry. I just don’t have time for it right now.” He shakes his head. He ended the call and turned around. He saw his mother. “Mom…”

“I just came from my friend, Lucas, and he told me about a proposal of doing a lifestyle show on TV.” Laura started.

“What is your decision?” Nick folded his arms across his chest and leaned against the marble post.

“It seems like a great idea. I want to do something,” Laura drew a deep breath. “I’ve been in search to do something that will occupy a lot of my time since your Dad died. I still miss him, Nicky.”

Nick watched as his mother, who is still beautiful despite her age, went to a bark-colored rattan lounge chair and sat on it. The cool breeze brushed through her light hair as she looks back to her son. “Then you can do whatever you want. I have no intention to stop you because I only wish that you’re happy in whatever that you want to do. You have my support.”

“How about you? You know, I will be also happy and supportive in whatever you decided to do with your life.”

“What do you mean by that?”

Laura smiled. “Is there any other meaning by what I’ve said? I don’t think it’s questionable. You’re my son. I’m really supposed to care a lot about you.”

“I know,” Nick turned towards the garden again. Laura watched her son went silent for a moment. “Did you know what I’m thinking right now?” she heard him sigh. “I want to take Daphne out of here and take her home to your and Dad’s hometown in Florida. And then I can take care of the realty business now.”

“But Nick, you love your profession. Why this sudden decision?” Laura didn’t expect this.

Nick turned back to his mother. “I realized it when Daphne was in the hospital. I haven’t been focused on being a Daddy that’s why I resorted into deciding to hire Jessa to become her temporary mother. I shouldn’t have done that. I shouldn’t have lied to my daughter especially that I know she has a weak heart. I’ve caused her pain and I brought her to harm. I still couldn’t imagine that I could do that to my daughter. So now, I want to retire for a while in being a doctor and to focus on the business that Dad has left me. I also want to be more hands-on to Daphne. She’s growing up so fast. I want to always be there with her.”

“You’ve always wanted to be a doctor and although your Dad was disappointed then, he supported you in whatever your choice. I was, too. But then I saw how happy you are with the career you’ve chosen and I can’t believe that you’re leaving it, even for a while.” Laura met her son’s look. “But I understand if you want to do this for Daphne. I just have one question though…”

Nick only nodded.

“Do you have any plans on settling down? I mean, find a wonderful woman and marry her.” Laura replied. “You’re not getting any younger, son.”

“I don’t have plans for that right now, Mom. I don’t even intend to marry Tania just to have a complete family for Daphne. It’s not worth it. And I don’t have any time for dating women. As I’ve told you, I’ll focus more in being Daphne’s father,” Nick said. He drew a deep breath. There was silence between them for a long while.

“It’s been quiet around the house.” Laura broke the silence. “I missed Jessa.”

Nick puts his hands on his pockets as he started to walk back in the house. But as he passed by his mother, he muttered, “I missed her, too.” He continued on his way. Laura watched her son walked inside. When he’s out of sight, she rose from the lounge chair and raised her fisted hand in the air.

“Yes!” she started to dance around and then moments later, gathered her poise back and went inside the house. She called for the driver. She’s in the mood for a celebration and she’s going to take her granddaughter with her.



~~~



“Take note of that,” Nick reminded his nurse assistant again. Dale nodded as she followed the young doctor down the long corridor. They are preparing for a surgery that is scheduled for Nick in two hours.

“Doc, is it true that you’re leaving?” Dale asked as they walked together. She watched as the young, and cute, doctor turned her way. She always had a crush on him. When she learned that he had a girlfriend, she’s actually glad that someone’s making her boss happy. Nick is a nice man. She always wished him and his daughter well.

“Yes, I’m going to focus on my Dad’s business for a while. I’ll take my daughter to Florida where my Mom and Dad’s hometown were.” He smiled at her.

“And Miss Jessa?”

“W-we broke up.”

“Oh, I’m sorry, Sir.” Dale bit her lower lip. They looked good together. What could have happened?

“It’s okay,” Nick quietly replied. They turned down at the corner but stopped when Nick bumped into someone. “Ooops, I’m sorry.” He paused when he saw who it is. “Gretel, hi. I thought you’re in New York.”

“I’m just there for three days. I need to fly back because my Mom is here.” Gretel replied after exchanging kisses with him on both cheeks. Dale looked on and then excused herself from the young doctor to proceed ahead of him. Nick only nodded and turned back to Gretel.

“Why? How is she?”

“She had a heart attack but I’m glad that she’s okay now. I’m so worried, you know.” Gretel told him. “I’ve been looking for you here. I haven’t seen you.”

“I’ve been busy because my daughter’s here last week for a heart surgery. She’s okay now.” Nick arranged his eyeglasses and placed his hands on the pockets of his white suit.

“I’m glad to hear that.”

Nick nodded. “Anyway, I got to go now.” They exchanged smiles. “Bye.”

“Oh, Nick. If you have time, let’s have dinner together, that is, if it’s okay with your girlfriend,” Gretel added.

“We’re not together anymore but I’ll think about what you said. Bye,” Nick said and walked off. He shakes his head. He didn’t realize how many people have known about his ‘relationship’ with Jessa. But it doesn’t matter. It wouldn’t be hard, anyway, to just tell others that they broke up. There’s no big deal on that. His only problem is Daphne. She still wanted to have Jessa around and often throw tantrums. It infuriated Nick sometimes but he can only tell her that Jessa already left.

 

 

End Notes:

thanks for reading! ;)

 

 

Chapter 16 by scarlett

 

 

Nick placed down a piece of omelet on each plate; put a couple of hotdogs, toasted bread and a slice of apple in Daphne’s plate. He balanced the three plates in his arm and went towards the breakfast nook. It’s Sunday and his daughter always looks forward into a nice Sunday breakfast with him and her grandmother, even before Jessa came. Daphne always enjoyed the Sunday meals especially on what they would do after. Nick would take her out somewhere to spend time together. The habit continued when Jessa came and even though she's gone, he will continue to provide Daphne her Sunday rituals.

Jessa, Nick thought again. He’s back in the kitchen after placing the plates on the table. He stopped as he leaned on the counter with both hands. He admitted that it actually felt different not having her around. The place seemed to be not the same as it has been since she left. It seemed quieter. No one’s around to brighten things up with her unusual stories and loud exclamation that used to irritate him.

“Jessa…” he muttered the name. Why does her name always have to come in mind while he’s doing something, even in just the simple things? She always reminded him of anything. He shut his eyes tightly. How could she do that without even trying?

“Daddy?”

Nick opened his eyes and turned around. Daphne finally spoke with him after a few days of being mad at him. “Y-yes, baby?” This little girl doesn’t know the power that she had on him. He knelt down in front of her. Daphne is clutching her favorite doll in her arms. Her hair disheveled and she’s still wearing her sleeping dress.

Daphne sighed. She seemed to be in full wake-up mode now as her blue eyes stared back to her father. “I’ve been thinking,” she started, talking as if she’s already an adult. Sometimes, Nick wondered if the milk formula he fed her during her baby days had something to do with her being this witty. “I’ve been thinking that you’ll make a promise with me again and this time, you won’t mess up.”

“Uh-huh? You’re going to talk like that to your Daddy?” Nick asked, hurt that Daphne seemed not to trust him anymore.

“It’s not that, Daddy. It’s just that I want Mommy Jessa back. I know you don’t know where she is because you won’t tell me whenever I asked you so now, I want you to promise me to do everything to find her and bring her back.” Daphne replied.

Nick stared at Daphne. “Daphne, I’ve already told you that it’s not that easy to make her go back here. It was only a job and now that it’s finished, she went off to live a life of her own now. She said something about starting her own business and I don’t know where she’s gone. She can’t stay here when she’s working somewhere else. She can’t look after you just like before, just like a mommy should. Please understand that.” He shakes his head. “She’s not your mother and it’s impossible that she’ll stay here just for you. We can’t make her do that just for you. But maybe when I found her, I’ll tell her that she can visit you anytime. How’s that?” He watched as she thought for a moment. He’s like making a bargain with a person, a little person.

“Why can’t she be my Mommy? Why don’t you ask her out on a date?” Daphne tried again.

“Young lady, when did you learn such things, huh?” Nick was surprised to hear it from her. How could she know such things when she’s just a kid?

“I just know, Dad.” Daphne began to stomp out of the kitchen. Nick shakes his head and followed his daughter.

“Don’t turn your back on me when I’m still talking to you, Daphne.”

“I need to pee, Dad.”

He heard the response from the restroom found just beside the kitchen. He scratched his head. He stood by the door. “So, what do you think?”

“About what, Daddy?”

Nick rolled his eyes. “About Jessa, Daphne. We just can’t tell her that she’ll live here and that’s it. It’s not that simple, baby. And what about your Mom? Don’t you want her around?” He heard her flushed and the door opened. He looked down to his daughter. “What?”

“My mom hates me, Daddy. She shouted at me.” Daphne said; her face tilted upwards to him.

“Don’t hate your mother, Daphne.” Nick knelt down in front of her. “Of course, we know that what she did is not right but she’s still your mother and you should not hate her.”

Daphne nodded. Nick doesn’t want her to be in this position where she is in the dilemma of how she can have her parents around. He wanted her to grow up in a normal family but he knew that he doesn’t want Tania to be part of it. “I want my family to be complete, Daddy, and that means having you and a Mommy.”

“Your Mommy Tania?”

It took a long while for Daphne to reply. “She shouted at me, Daddy,” tears began to well up in her big blue eyes. She hugged her doll tighter. “D-do you think she likes me? Because I want a mommy and if Mommy Jessa can’t be around, I don’t know if my real Mommy will be nice to me.”

“Oh, baby. I only wanted you to be happy.” Nick embraced her. “Just tell me what you want and I’ll give it to you. But remember this: your Mommy Tania will always be your Mommy and she can never hate you. When things are fine and settled, she can visit you anytime. I don’t want you to be afraid of your own Mommy, okay?” His daughter nodded. “Things will be fine soon. I promise you, baby.” He closed his eyes. He doesn’t know how to do it but he will make a way. He will find a way to assure Daphne that things are going to be alright.



~~~



“You want to learn how to surf?” Nick asked his daughter when Daphne announced her new interest. They are at the airport lobby, going towards the check-in area of the flight bound to Miami. They are going to be there for only a week, to check on some houses where they would want to settle once they move to that state. Nick also arranged some schedules with his cousin to study about taking over his father’s company there. He has already quit his job at the hospital and he’s been busy about arranging the necessary documents in moving to Florida.

“Yeah, Daddy. I think it will be fun,” Daphne smiled up to him. She took the love for the ocean from him.

Nick chuckled and playfully ruffled her hair. “Let’s see what we can do, baby. Right now, you’re still too small for that.” He stopped when she paused and bent down to tie her shoelaces. She still couldn’t do it so he knelt down in front of her, setting aside their luggage and tied her shoelaces. “You also have to learn how to tie your shoelaces first before learning how to surf, baby. That’s a requirement.”

“Daddy, when I grow up, I want to be a doctor like you.”

Nick looked at his daughter. “Whatever you want, baby. I will be with you in whatever you want to do.” He kissed her on the cheeks.

“Nick… Daphne…”

Both looked up and saw Tania. She is holding her own luggage. Nick stood up and faced her. He felt the tight grip of Daphne’s hand in his.

“I thought of not telling you that I’m leaving but I happened to see you and decided otherwise.” Tania started. She turned to her daughter. “I’m sorry, Daphne, for raising my voice at you. It’s wrong and I am really sorry.” She turned to glance at Nick.

“Are you going back to London?” He asked her.

Tania nodded. “My job is there. I love my job and I can’t leave it for anything else right now. I’m sorry.” She drew a deep breath. “I admit that I think I’m not going to be a good mommy. I’m not yet ready for that. Trust me when I tell you now that I’m fully entrusting Daphne to you. You’re a great parent. I can never be that.”

“You will always be her mother, Tania. You may not have the right now but she knows that you will always be her mother.”

His words made her tears fall and she quickly wiped it away. “Thank you, Nick.” She takes one last look to Daphne. “Bye, honey.”

Nick looked down to their daughter. “Daphne, your mommy’s leaving. Aren’t you going to hug her? It’s okay, baby.”

There was a look of hesitation at first. Daphne started to slowly walk to her mother and opened her arms. “Mommy…”

“Oh my God,” Tania burst into tears as she knelt down and embraced her daughter. “I’m sorry, honey. I won’t harm you in any other way. Please forgive me.”

Daphne nodded and wiped her mother’s tears. “It’s alright, Mommy. I know you’re sorry.”

Tania kissed her on the cheeks. “Be a good girl, okay? I won’t be around with you anymore but keep in mind when I tell you this: be a good girl always. Don’t give your Daddy a hard time.” She hugged her again. “I love you, honey. Thank you for forgiving me.”

“I-I love you, too, Mommy…” Daphne kissed her on the cheeks while Nick quietly looked on.

From afar, Jessa stopped in her tracks when she saw what’s happening. She went there when she learned that Nick decided to move to Florida with Daphne. She may never see them again so this is her chance, even for the last time. But it seems like there’s no need to be there anymore. She saw how Nick finally had the family that he wanted. It also seemed like he already accepted Tania back into their lives. It looks like Daphne approved of having her real mother back, too. Jessa sighed heavily as she watched the three. That’s what she wanted and suggested with Nick, but why does it feel so heavy in the heart to think that things with them are finally going to be fine? She should stop making that wishful thinking that she can fulfill the role of Daphne’s mother and Nick’s wife because it will never happen.

Slowly, she turned around to go out of the airport lobby. Life should go on now. It did for Nick and Daphne.

 

 

End Notes:

thank you for reading. ;)

 

Chapter 17 by scarlett

 

 

Jessa blinked a few times as she came back to reality. She’s daydreaming again. She should stop thinking about Nick. It’s just a crush, nothing more and nothing less. She will never see him again. He already moved on and is now living with his family, which includes Daphne and Tania, in Florida. She, on the other hand, should focus more on the business she started. A spa business that’s beginning to get known, thanks to Laura Carter who once visited her and promised to recommend her business to her friends. It wasn’t long enough to wait because she found herself already catering her service to socialites, celebrities and just purely rich people. By word of mouth, her customers grew. They said that they liked her service. They were comfortable just upon stepping into the homely ambiance of her spa. It overwhelmed her with such a great feeling. She got her dream job and she’s earning a lot from it now.

There was a quiet noise at the reception area that caught her attention. Probably, another famous person has dropped by for a spa. She walked out of her office but stopped when she saw who came.

Nick Carter.

Nick smiled at her as he removed his aviator shades. He’s looking good with his pink golf shirt tucked in nicely-fit jeans. His hair disheveled, looking as if he just got out of the bed but it looks charming on him. “Hi, Jessa.”

Her heart seemed to palpitate just at the mere mention of her name. His full attention is on her and she saw her employees’ look of jealousy. “Hi, what are you doing here? I thought you’re in Florida.” She said. He walked towards her. “Your mom told me,” she quickly added. She’s interested to know what’s going on in his life and luckily, he has a mother who is religiously keeping tabs about him to her. She didn’t ask for it but Laura Carter always does it whenever she’s around for a spa and she knew why. The old woman still had hopes that she will end up with her son.

“I flew in to visit Mom,” Nick replied, “and you.” He now stood before her. “It’s almost noon. Come on, let’s have lunch.”

“Me?”

Nick looked around and winked at the women in the reception. “Is there any other Jessa here aside from her?”

Cindy, the redhead at the reception’s desk, replied. “Nah, our boss is the only one. You can take her out, Sir. We know she’d love to.”

Jessa didn’t get the chance to glare at her employee-slash-friend. Nick has already turned back to her. “Come on, Jessa. Let’s go for lunch.”

“Okay,” she replied. “I’ll just go and get my bag.” She went back in her office. She took time to brush her hair and apply some light lipstick and spray on a few amount of her perfume. When she got out, Nick is talking with her co-workers, even laughing with them. He turned to her and offered his hand.

“Let’s go.”



~~~



“I’m glad that you finally pursued on the business that you want,” Nick said to her before putting food in his mouth. They end up in an outdoor restaurant along the boulevard where celebrities frequently dined. She felt so special at the way he treated her. He pulled the chair for her. He conspired with some restaurant staff to get a bouquet of flowers for her. And his look never wavered from her. Why is he doing this? She doesn’t know. The important thing now is that she felt special.

“That’s what I’ve wanted ever since. Thanks to your job offer, I was able to save enough to start with this,” Jessa answered. “How’s Daphne? Is she in Florida?”

“She’s going to school now there. Someone’s looking after her while I’m here. You should’ve seen her,” he chuckled. “In such a young age, I never thought that a kid can be that smart.”

She caught his words, someone’s looking after her. That’s Tania, for sure. Nick looked so happy having a complete family now. “She always is.” She says. “How about you? How are you?”

Nick placed the glass of water down after drinking it. “I’m fine.” His face turned serious. “Listen, Jessa. I’m sorry about what I’ve said back in the hospital. That’s really not good and I regret what I’ve said. I’m so sorry. I really shouldn’t have said that.”

Sometimes, love can make it easy to forgive and forget, just like what she had with Nick. It doesn’t matter anymore on whatever it was said and done in the past. But still, she had to show him who should get the respect out of that situation no matter how much she feels so deeply for him. “Yeah, that was really hurtful, Nick.”

“I’m honestly asking for forgiveness now, Jessa. You know, I’d do anything so that we can go back to what we were. You’re a nice woman, a good friend and I don’t want to lose you.”

She stared at him. “It’s alright, Nick. I understand.” There was a moment of awkward silence between them. They continued eating. After lunch, Nick invited her someplace else. She went with him, thinking that this is the only time that they can be together. Probably tomorrow or in a few days, he will go back to Florida and only time will tell when he will see her again. She realized that he took her to a house that is situated overlooking the sea.

“This is a great house.” She said as she stood in the balcony facing the blue ocean. “Whose house is this?”

“Do you like it?” Nick replied instead.

“Yes, this is beautiful and I love the ocean view. I can sit here all day, with a book and an iced tea. That would be great.” She turned and smiled at him.

“I was thinking about buying this.”

“What about your house in the Hills?”

Nick smiled as he folded his arms across his chest. “That is actually Mom’s. I have my own house but I sold it years ago when Daphne was about to be born. Tania left that time and I wanted to stay at Mom’s because I need her support in being a parent.” He walked near. “So, do you think that this is a good house?”

“Yes. But why are you asking me? You’re the one who’ll buy it and live here, not me.” She held her breath when he is nearer than he’s not supposed to be.

“Okay, I’ll buy it then.” He closed the gap between them and kissed her. Her eyes widened in surprise but as the kiss goes longer and deeper, she gave in. Her arms wrapped around his neck. Nick’s arms were caressing her all over. She didn’t know what happened but it seemed mutual. They wanted something more than this kiss. It ended and they stared at each other for a while. “Can we…?” he started to ask her.

Her eyes were dazed with a passion that is only meant for him. It seemed to be the reply to his question because he bents down to kiss her again. This time, it’s sweeter and more promising. They were caught up in that moment, never thinking of any consequences that it may entail afterwards. Nick took her in his arms and they found the nearby bedroom.



~~~



Jessa woke up in the darkness. She can feel Nick’s soft breathing on her nape as his arms were wrapped on her body. They were naked, together in a bed. Nick spooned behind her. She lost count on the times they made love but she remembered how each time has been a wonderful feeling for her. She felt loved. She felt special. Nick has been a great lover and though she thought she can’t do it anymore, he has the power to awaken her desires more. If only he is hers…

Her eyes grew wide open at that thought. Geez, she messed it up with a married man. And although she didn’t notice a wedding band in his finger, it would just be easy to take it off and do what he did to her hours ago. She doesn’t want to be a home-wrecker. This is not her.

Slowly, she rose from the bed, trying as much as she could to avoid Nick from waking up. When she hit the floor, she quickly dressed up. She takes one last glance at Nick’s sleeping form. He looked angelic when he’s asleep. She fought the urge to drop a kiss on his pouted lips. She quietly went out of the room and out of the house. There’s no need to stay there any more. She didn’t intend to let things happen between them. She wanted it. But she doesn’t want to ruin his family by indulging herself with the fantasies of him. She should avoid him as much as she could even if that means not to see him anymore.



~~~



Nick woke up and his first instinct is to pull the woman in the bed beside him and to make love to her again. It’s a dream that he wanted for so long. He realized how she means so much to him and when he saw her again, he missed her a lot that he couldn’t wait to get her all by himself. He wanted to talk to her about lots of things. But most of all, he wanted to open up himself to her. He never thought that he would feel this way to someone.

He opened his eyes when he couldn’t reach her beside him. She’s not in the bed. There wasn’t any note when he looked around. Did Jessa leave him?

He left the bed – his bed, for he already bought the house from his friend, AJ. He is planning to go back to California on one final note: he wanted to settle down and Jessa is the one. He hasn’t told Daphne about it yet. He brought Jessa to the house to know if she likes it. It’s important that she likes the house that may be hers in the future. He’s planning to give this to her. It’s only one among the things that he wanted to do once he returns to California. He will bring his father’s business here too. Miami, though it is near the ocean and the place is nice, is still not a home for him. He wanted to go back to LA where he practically grew up.

He quickly showered and dressed up. He’s going to the spa to look for her. But damn, he doesn’t even know where she lives if it happens that she’s not there. He’s sure of that. Jessa is running away from him and she will not go to the spa if she doesn’t want to be found. That’s the only place he knew where he can find her.

He slammed his car door as soon as he got inside. He placed his head on the wheel and drew a deep breath. “Jessa, why are you making this hard for us?”

Well, it's his fault anyway. He should have told her that he is in love with her when he had the opportunity.

 

 

End Notes:

please read and review. thank you. ;) mwah!

 

Chapter 18 by scarlett

 

 

Father and daughter sat quietly on a bench in a park facing the beach. Both wearing dark sunglasses as they watched people passing them by. Attention was mostly given particularly to the father who has a charm that can make any woman’s knees turn to jelly. The little girl is cute, too, but some were only curious at her just because she’s sitting beside the handsome man. Nick doesn’t even look like a father. He wondered what will be these women’s reaction once they learned that he is sitting with his daughter and they are on a mission: balloon-hunting.

“Daphne, we can just go to the mall and buy balloons there. I think they have everything from the colors to the sizes.” He tells his daughter. He is starting to feel conscious by the looks he caught from women in bikinis nearby. He appreciates it but right now, he only wanted to satisfy Daphne’s desire to have one dozen of balloons for her friend’s birthday tomorrow.

They moved back to California almost two months ago. Daphne is back to school, too. When he told his daughter about his plans, she is more than happy about the idea of going back to LA. She missed her grandmother and she’s more used to living there than in Miami because she already had friends here. It wasn’t hard for Nick to explain his plans to Daphne.

“I want to stay here, Daddy.”

“We won’t find anything if we’ll just stay here. Come on, let’s take a walk,” He stood up. Daphne did the same thing and he sighed in relief. That’s because, at the corner of his eye, he saw one of the women in bikinis making her way to them.

But she reached them even before they can get away. “Dr. Carter?”

Nick turned and saw the brunette woman in a red bikini standing before them. He took his daughter in his arms and turned her away, trying to avoid his kid to get a glimpse on the woman’s sexy body. Hey, he’s still conservative when it comes to his daughter. “Yes?”

“I’m Brenda, one of your patients before. You’ve had a surgery on me before when I had an accident. I forgot to tell you how thankful I am for that. Now, I can walk,” Brenda tells him.

“I can see that,” Nick looked at her long legs. It’s a good thing that he’s wearing his dark shades and can freely give a mild perusal on her beautiful legs.

“I went to the hospital to give you a gift but found that you’re no longer there.” The woman added.

“Oh, thank you is enough. You’re always welcome, Brenda.” He smiled to her. “I’ve got to go. My daughter and I were in search for something.”

“Wait, you’re already a father?” Brenda smiled. “You don’t look like a father, yet alone a married man.”

“Yeah, I am. I just forgot the ring at home. My wife’s gonna kill me,” he chuckled. Daphne turned to him with a questioning look. He winked at his daughter, “don’t tell Mommy,” he quickly added to her, with a warning look.

“Oh, okay,” Brenda glanced at Daphne.

“Bye, we’ve got to go.” Nick nods at her then walked away. He’s still carrying Daphne in his arms.

“Daddy, Mommy’s not here.” Daphne started to say.

He chuckled. “I know,” he replied. Tania visited them once in Florida but went back to London after only a couple of days. Daphne seemed okay with the arrangement right now but from time to time, she’s still asking for Jessa. She still longs for a mother figure. He wanted to give it to her but the person concerned is nowhere to be found. “That will be our secret, okay? Just think about it. Women always come to Daddy and they want to become your Mommy. I don’t want anyone to be just your Mommy. I want it to be Jessa.” He told his daughter about his feelings for Jessa and what he planned for their family.

“But you can’t find her, Daddy.” Daphne made a sad face. “Does she still wants us? She keeps on hiding from us.”

“I don’t know, baby.” Nick can only answer. “I don’t know…” He looked around, hoping that Jessa would happen to be there. He wanted to see her. “Daphne, after this balloon-hunting, let’s go to the hospital to see your Uncle Kev.”

Daphne smiled at that. “Sure. Let’s bring him a cake. Uncle Kevin loves cakes, and something for Mason, too.” She said, pertaining to Kevin’s son, Mason.



~~~



“Okay, I’ll be expecting that today.” Kevin tells the medical technologist in his office. The man nodded and excused himself to go out of the room. When he’s gone, Kevin’s mobile phone rang. It’s Nick. He answered it as he stood up to go out in the hallway and towards the parking lot. He left his brown folder there.

“It’s about time that you call ever since you came back here in LA.”

“And hello to you, too” Nick replied on the other line. “Daphne’s with me and we’re dropping by for a visit today.”

“Wow, okay. I want a peanut butter chocolate cake, okay?”

“Hey, how did you know…?”

“Daphne and I both love cakes.” Kevin laughed, “That’s why she knows what to bring me. Oops!” He stopped immediately as soon as he bumped into someone. The woman suddenly came out from an OB’s office and she never cared that she’s in the middle of the busy hallway. “Hold on. I bumped into someone.” He’s surprised to recognize who it is. Jessa. He quickly helped her up from the floor. “Are you alright?”

Jessa was quiet as she stood up. She nodded. She seemed to be in shock. She stared at Kevin. “Dr. Richardson…”

“Are you alright?” Kevin asked again. She looks pale. He took her back inside the office. He turned back to Nick on the other line. “I’ll give you a tip, my little brother. Go here as fast as you can, as in right now.” And then he finished the call. He went into the OB’s office and found Jessa sitting in the chair. “What happened to you?”

The OB, Dr. Carla Hoffman, went to the receiving area. “What happened, Jessa?” she also asked.

“I got dizzy,” Jessa replied.

“Oh, that’s normal for a pregnant woman like you,” Carla said. “Since this is your first baby, it must be complicated for you to move about and get stressed.” She began to check on Jessa.

“She’s pregnant, Dr. Hoffman?” Kevin said, returning to them with a glass of water. He gave it to Jessa.

“Six weeks.” Carla turned to her patient. “Okay, no more vigorous activities to you, my dear. I’ve already recommended you some vitamins for you and your baby. Don’t forget about that. I’ll write down the instructions to make it clear to you.” She scribbled something on her notepad. When she’s done and gave it to Jessa, her quiet patient smiled and gave her thanks and went out of the office. Kevin nodded to his staff and followed the other woman in the hallway. Jessa only stood there, her back leaning against the wall.

“I didn’t know that this will happen. I didn’t expect it.” She said.

“What are you talking about?” Kevin asked in a soft voice. If he is right, he has the idea about what is happening to Jessa. And Nick has something to do with it.

Jessa looked at him. “Have you seen Nick here in LA? Or is he still in Florida?”

“Can we talk about this in my office, Jessa? If that’s okay with you,” Kevin replied instead. He smiled when she only nodded and he ushered her towards his office. He hoped that Nick would come soon. He needs to know something if his hunch is right that Nick is the father of the baby that Jessa’s carrying.



~~~



Kevin gave her a glass of juice and settled himself in a single couch across hers. Jessa smiled at the framed picture of him and his family. “You have a beautiful family, Dr. Richardson. What’s the name of your wife?”

“Kristin.” He smiled. “She’s an interior designer who worked on this office.” He winked at her. “My son’s name is Mason. He just turned five last month.”

“He’s adorable.”

Kevin nodded. “Okay, back to you, Jessa. Why are you asking for Nick?”

“Is he in Florida right now?” she asked with another question.

“No, he’s back here, for good. He’ll transfer the main office of his father’s business here in LA. He won’t be back as a doctor anytime soon. He’s more focused on his time now for Daphne and the business.” Kevin replied.

“Did he marry Tania?” Jessa asked and bit her lower lip. She had to ask anyway. Kevin stared at her. She felt awkward but she has no choice. She needs to know. Her heart seemed to be breaking any moment now as she thinks of her situation. Kevin is keeping her with the suspense.

“No, as in never, were his words.” He tells her. “But even though he said that, they now came to civil terms for Daphne’s sake. Tania fully relinquished her right as a mother but she visited them once in Florida, only to left immediately after two days to go back to London, as Nick told me.” He clears his throat and asked her. “Why are you asking this?”

“He’s the father of my baby.” Jessa replied without preamble.

“Are you going to tell him that’s why you’re looking for him?”

“I don’t know.” She replied quietly. Silence came between them.

“If I’m the father and heard that, I’ll be mad, Jessa.”

“It’s complicated.”

“I know.”

Jessa looked at Kevin. This man is straightforward. And he seemed to be like a big brother to Nick. “What do you think should I do?” she asks him.

“What do you think you should do?”

Jessa fidgeted and sighed. She looked down on her fingers. “When do you think is he coming here?”

Kevin leaned back against the couch. He smiled and she wondered if that smile means something. “Any moment from now, Jessa,” he answered.

Her first reaction is standing up and turning towards the door. There’s an instant fear in her that she doesn’t want Nick to find her. Kevin quickly followed her and held her hand to stop her. He’s chuckling. What’s funny? “Jessa, don’t go. I’m sure Nick will be glad to see you.”

Jessa was about to reply when Kevin’s phone rang. He let go of her. “Yes? What? Where are you, Nick? At the emergency room… Okay, I’ll be there.”

“What happened?” She asked when Kevin takes his white coat and motioned her to follow him.

“A reckless driver’s car went straight to the sidewalk where Nick and Daphne were. He almost caught Daphne but she’s injured. She’s at the emergency room right now.”

 

 

End Notes:

:D

 

Chapter 19 by scarlett

 

 

There’s a worried look on Kevin’s face. Jessa gasped as she follows him towards the ER. When they got there, Nick’s arm was wrapped with bandage and had a sling on him. His face had bruises. He looked like a mess. He was surprised to see her. Kevin only gave a quick greeting and asked how he is before proceeding inside the ER. Nick and Jessa were left staring at each other. When she extended her arms to hug him, he gave in and cried.

“Oh my God, Jessa…” Nick cried. “I don’t know what’s going to happen. I’m so scared. I don’t want to lose my baby.” He hugged her tighter. They stayed that way for a long while. “It feels good to have you here now, Jessa. I don’t know how to handle this alone.” She heard him say.

Jessa looked at him and wiped his tears. A few strands fell down his face and she swept it aside. “I won’t go away now. I promise.”

Nick sniffed. “I think I’m a bad father. I’ve never taken care enough of Daphne.”

“What happened?”

He drew a deep breath. He’s still trembling that Jessa had to calm him. She shushed him and held his hand tight. “D-Daphne and I just walked out of the cake shop towards the parking lot on the next block. She’s talking excitedly about,” he paused as he wiped his tears, “about going to see her Uncle Kevin and the cake that we brought him. And she’s also telling me about her plans when we find you.”

“Nick…”

“And then suddenly, I heard some screeching and the next thing I knew was that I saw a jumping car at the corner of my eye. I immediately pulled Daphne but I don’t know… I felt something smashed in me. I heard my daughter’s scream. The next thing I saw was my little girl lying beside me and full of blood.” Nick cried. “Oh, it was the worst thing I’ve ever seen. The next thing I woke up, I’m already here and I immediately asked for the nurse to let me call Kevin. Uh, I don’t know what’s going to happen to my little girl. I’m so scared, Jessa.”

“There are doctors, including Kevin, who are already attending to Daphne. I’m worried and scared too, because that’s my daughter, my almost-daughter,” Jessa pulled him in an embrace. “We’ll get through this, Nick. Soon enough, we’ll just find ourselves back to normal and playing around in the beach. We have to keep the faith, Nick, for Daphne and for everyone. It will be over soon…” Yes, she wished it would be. It’s frustrating to see the closed doors of the emergency room and not knowing what’s going on.

Nick looked at her. “I wish…” They looked up when the doors opened and Kevin went out.

“Nick…”

“What happened?” The two asked Kevin.

“She had a mild concussion and still under observation. For now, we already treated her bruises. She needs a lot of rest but she is still on a long way from being fine. We still have to observe her complicated condition.”

Nick held Jessa’s hand. “I want to hear that she will be fine soon.”

“I’ve already told you, Nick. You’re a doctor. You know this. That’s too soon to tell. I want her to be fine too and along with the other doctors, we’re doing our best. I just came out to tell you. Daphne will be transferred in an ICU in a while.” Kevin glanced at Jessa. “You need to rest too. You’re not supposed to be exposed here in the hospital. You know what I mean.” And with that, he went back inside.

Nick, still worried about Daphne, sighed as he watched his friend. He wearily ran his fingers through his hair. He turned to Jessa. “What does he mean?”

“Huh?”

Nick stared at her. “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine. Why did you ask that?”

“Because you’re here in the hospital and Kevin said that you’re not supposed to be here. You know how I hate to see people who are close to me in the hospital. As much as possible, I want you to be away from the hospital,” He touched her face gently. “I miss you, Jessa. I really do.” He said in a low voice. Jessa was touched by the emotion she felt in his words. She met his eyes, those blue eyes that she longed to stare at her like that.

“I miss you, too, Nick.”

Nick continued to caress her face. “Why did you have to go?”

“You’re married.”

Nick looked at her as if she spoke another language. “Is that what you think?” He raised his hands to show her. “There wasn’t any ring here. I never got married, Jessa,” he tells her.

“Yeah, Kevin told me earlier.”

“And because there’s only one person that I want to marry and spend the rest of my life with.”

Jessa bit her lower lip as she tries to keep herself from hoping that his words were for her. She tried to look away but he gently cupped her face. “I love you, Jessa.”

“R-really?”

“Yes, really.”

“I love you, too.” Her emotions gave in as tears began to fall.

“Oh, darling. Why are you crying?” Nick reached out to quickly wipe away the tears. He hugged her. “I’m sorry for everything wrong that I’ve done before. Please forgive me.”

“I’m crying because I’m happy,” Jessa sniffed. They stared at each other for a while before Nick’s lips descended on hers. Their kiss is like coming home to each other, full of hunger and longing but most of all, full of love. When it ended after a long while, Nick wrapped his arms around her and rested his forehead against hers. “Where’s Tania?” She asks him.

“She’s in London.” He replies. “We came to an agreement that she can see Daphne once a month. I don’t intend to take my daughter’s feelings away from her because after all, she’s still her mother. But as far as the months have passed by, Tania visited Daphne only once. She wasn’t here long enough to keep up with her daughter and try to build a bonding with Daphne.” He drew a deep breath. “It seems like Tania really doesn’t care much about Daphne.”

“And Daphne?”

“She’s more concerned about seeing you again, Jessa.” Nick kissed her on the cheeks.

“What about Gretel?” She asks again.

Nick gave her a confused look. “Gretel? What about her?”

Jessa bit her lower lip. She appears to be a jealous girlfriend now but she didn’t mind. She wanted to know since now is the time between them to clarify things. “You said when we saw her at the restaurant that she’s the woman you’d want because you’ve known each other since you were kids.”

Nick sighed as he recalled for a moment. “Oh, Jessa. That’s because I want to make you jealous.”

“Jealous? Is that the reason for all those kisses?”

“Those kisses were part of my curiosity on how wonderful it’d taste like.” Nick encircled his arms on her waist.

“Oh?”

“Really,” Nick kissed the tip of her nose. “And it’s because I’m beginning to like the woman who has given me and my daughter much importance as to be part of her life even in a short while. Jessa, I wished Daphne’s going to be fine soon. I’m looking forward to this family I want to have with her and with you.”



~~~



Laura panicked when she saw Nick’s appearance when she arrived in the hospital a few minutes ago. She took the time to get some tissues in her bag and wiped Nick’s face. And then, she takes out a hairbrush and offered it to her son. Afterwards, she takes out a bottle of mineral water and drinks on it. The two never thought that a bag so small could contain a lot. And they never thought that a respectable socialite such as her could have everything prepared for herself, in a bag.

“How’s my granddaughter?”

The two looked at each other. Nick relayed what Kevin had told them earlier, including the fact that she has just been transferred to the ICU. He’s about to explain about concussions when his mother interrupted him.

“I know what it is,” she turned to Jessa, “how did you end up being here, young woman? You’re with Nick?”

“Oh, yeah. I forgot about that.” Nick seconded. "I don't know why you're here too."

Jessa felt trapped. The two are waiting for an answer and she should give them now. Anyway, this could be the perfect timing to announce her condition. “I’m pregnant. Nick is the father.”

Nick looked stunned for a moment. His eyes deeply bore into hers. Jessa felt insecure that it must not have been the right time to tell it to him. It must be too early, she thought.

Laura’s eyes, on the other hand, grew wide in surprise. She glanced to her son then back to her. How did the two meet and have sex and she doesn't even know it? She wanted to laugh at her thoughts.

“Don’t you want it, Nick?” Jessa asked in a quiet voice. If he said no, she will walk out in the next second.

“No. No, yes, I mean.” Nick gave her a wide smile and surprised her with a full kiss on the lips. “I’m so happy. Darling, you surprised me but I’m so happy. You never know how happy I am.” He cupped her face. “Let’s get married.”

“Huh?” That came from her – and from Laura.

“Yeah, let’s get married, this week or as soon as Daphne gets fine,” Nick looked so happy indeed. “I want it grand. I want everyone to know that I’m marrying the woman that I’ve been so in love with. I want to make everyone see how lucky I am, and Daphne, to have you in our lives. We’ll be a complete family soon.”

Jessa was about to reply when a doctor came out of the ICU. They immediately turned to him. Nick was instantly in front of the doctor. “Carlos, how’s my daughter?”

“She woke up.”

 

Chapter 20 by scarlett

 

 

Nick entered the ICU wearing a protective lab gown. Only one person is allowed inside. And although Laura and Jessa wanted to see Daphne, they do not have a choice but to follow the doctor. Nick will only be inside for a while. He saw his daughter glancing around the place. She had bruises on her face and arms and it hurt him to see her like that. Tears welled up as he walked towards her. “Baby…”

“Daddy,” the soft little voice responded.

“Ssshh, things are going to be fine soon.” Nick kissed her on the forehead. “Tell me anything that hurts, baby.” His voice cracked as he says that.

“My body hurts, Daddy, like I’ve been bounced like a ball. And I want to sleep,” Daphne blinked many times and yawned.

Nick carefully smoother her blonde hair. His poor baby, he thought sadly. “You may take all the rest that you want. I’ll just be here.” He said quietly.

“Sing for me, Daddy,” Daphne said. A tear fell from her eyes. Nick soothingly wiped it away. “My favorite,” she added. He smiled to her.

“Anything for you, baby.” He kissed her forehead once again. “Things will be fine soon…” He started to sing as Daphne looks at him.


You and I must make a pact
We must bring salvation back
Where there is love, I'll be there

I'll reach out my hand to you,
I'll have faith in all you do
Just call my name and I'll be there


Nick knew that things will be fine soon. It will be a matter of patience to get through this hard ordeal with his daughter. Jessa is back and he will never let her go again. He will start a new life with her, building a family together with his daughter.


I'll be there to comfort you,
Build my world of dreams around you
I'm so glad that I found you
I'll be there with a love that's strong
I'll be your strength, I'll keep holding on

Let me fill your heart with joy and laughter
Togetherness, well that's all I'm after
Whenever you need me, I'll be there
I'll be there to protect you
With an unselfish love I respect you
Just call my name and I'll be there


He watched as Daphne’s eyes slowly close. She’s turning to sleep. He traced her face with his fingers. “Daddy’s always here, baby…”

“I love you, Daddy,” Daphne whispered, her eyes closed.

“I love you, too.”



~~~



“Do you love my son?” Laura asked Jessa when they were left outside while Nick came in to see Daphne. She stood in front of the younger woman. She finally met a woman that Nick deserves. She’s a good woman. She is quiet and meek when things are well and in order. But she can also be feisty and aggressive when things turn out bad and might hurt others. She’s also caring and compassionate. She has a big heart for everyone that surrounds her. Most of all, she is the only one who can accept Nick for the person that he is and not the wealthy doctor that everyone want to take advantage of.

“Yes, Laura.” Jessa replied.

“Are you going to love Daphne, too?”

Her future daughter-in-law smiled. “That shouldn’t be asked, Laura. It’s understood how much I love your granddaughter, enough to leave my life behind for a period of time then just to be her ‘mother’. You know how much I cared so much for Daphne. I see her as a daughter and when Nick and I get married, I will treat her as my own, my firstborn baby who’s given so much joy to us.”

Laura felt the tears as soon as her granddaughter was mentioned. She still worries about Daphne. “I only cared for the welfare and happiness of my son and his daughter, Jessa. I never meant for anything or to intervene when you’re already a family. I’ve already told you how Nick had been through so much: his devastation for his father’s death, the hurt feelings from Tania’s irresponsibility and his dilemma on the career path that he had to take despite the family business that was left for him. Daphne is his bundle of joy and everyday, he gathers strength to go and move on because of Daphne. But then, he also needed someone like you, who will remind him that he’s still a person, a father and a son whose family also needs him. He seemed to forget about that sometimes until you came along.” She took Jessa’s hands and held it tight. “You’ve made him realize the importance of having a family more than anything else. You’ve given him happiness and hope for another chance in love.”

“That’s sweet,” Jessa pulled her for a hug.

Laura embraced her as she wiped her tears. “Oh my, I don’t want the paparazzi catching me looking like this, tear-stricken,” she joked.

Jessa smiled as she stares at her. Despite the old age, Laura Carter still has the classic and decent aura of a high-class socialite. Her beauty still lingers. “You’re always beautiful.”

“Call me Mom, okay? I never had a daughter,” Laura said. “I longed to have one and now that you’re here, I must have been so good because He gave you to me. I couldn’t ask for more.”

“I’m lucky to have another wonderful mom like you.” They turned when the door opened and Nick came out. He took off the lab gown and the hair cap as he met their looks.

“Daphne is sleeping now. I sang her to sleep.” When he neared them, he pulled the two important women in his life into a tight hug. “Things are going to be fine, soon. I will assure you that.”

 

Epilogue by scarlett
Author's Notes:

Thank you for those who read the story. ;)

 

 

 

“You’re already a big girl, Daphne. Daddy and I trust you to go there with only your nanny. I want you to take care of yourself,” Jessa tells the little girl as she finishes the braided pigtails on her hair. “It’s done.”

Daphne turned to her and hugged her. “Thank you, Mommy.” She kissed her. “I love you.”

“I love you, too. Take care and enjoy yourself, okay?” Daphne nodded enthusiastically. She’s invited by her classmate to a birthday party in a house in Hollywood Hills. Jessa couldn’t come along because of her condition while Nick is out to get something for Jessa. The little girl went to her nanny who nodded to Jessa with a smile and then, excused them. When the two are gone, Jessa slowly walked towards the balcony facing the ocean. It’s already the time of her month, and her sixth-month being married to Nick. Daphne easily recovered and she passed the observation from the doctors who feared that her concussion was serious. But she came out well and alive. The driver of the car who almost hit them died of a heart stroke on that same day of the accident.

Nick also got the kind of wedding that he wanted and deserving for Jessa. In less than a month, he managed to arrange a grand wedding, through the help of a wedding planner in which he paid generously. Their friends and other family members celebrated the day with them.

Jessa turned to go to the master bedroom. She can feel something in her belly and she thinks that it’s her time. She’s still calm although she wished that her mother or Laura is there to guide her with her childbirth. But her mother is at home and although she will call to ask her to come, it will take two hours to get here. Laura is just about to arrive this afternoon from New York. Now, she had to endure this on her own. Nick is on his way home, that’s her consolation. There wasn’t any pain yet so she’s not in panic.

When she got inside the room, she takes out the baby bag that she already prepared for this day. And then she takes out a bag and began putting in some clothes and other stuff. She’s almost done when she heard Nick by the door.

“You’re leaving me?”

There was panic in Nick’s voice at the thought that she’s leaving him. She called her husband to come over. When Nick got near, she removed his eyeglasses and gave him a full kiss on the mouth. Nick’s arms went around her waist. “No, Nick. I’m just preparing to go to the hospital.”

Realization dawned in Nick. “It’s time?” He finished packing the things for her. He slipped the straps of the bags on his shoulders and ordered his wife to go ahead to the car. Nick was about to leave the room when he caught sight of an Elmo doll on the bed. “Where’s Daphne?”

Jessa smiled as she rolled her eyes. “Nick, you’re not that old. The kid asked for your permission last night to allow her to go to her friend’s party.” She didn’t say anything when he rushed her towards his car. And then she felt the wetness. “Oh, my God.”

Nick faced her. “Huh? Tell me what’s wrong, Jessa.”

“I think my water bag broke.”

Nick bit his lower lip as he backed out and drove the car towards the main road and out of the subdivision. “Don’t worry, Nick. It’s going to be fine.” She almost laughed at that. She’s the one soothing her husband from any worries instead of the other way around. She didn’t know that Nick can panic easily at times.

“I couldn’t help but worry, Jessa. You’re supposed to be in panic, not me. Daphne’s not here. Our two Moms are not here. I don’t know what to do.”

“Well, this is your second baby.”

Nick glanced at him and she noticed the worry in his face. “I wasn’t around when Daphne was born. And I’m afraid that our little boy might encounter something just like when Daphne was born…” his voice trailed off. They reached the hospital and he stopped it in front of the emergency room. He faced her and kissed her fully on the lips. “I’m so afraid, Jessa. You couldn’t blame me. I’ve been through so much with Daphne.”

Jessa kissed him again. “We’re great with Daphne. I’m sure that our little boy will be healthy and fine, too.”

“And also you…”

Jessa smiled. “This time, you’re going to be around to see your baby born, Nick. I’m going to make sure of that. This is going to be an experience to remember.”

They kissed once again. Then, Nick went out and went around the car to get her. Later, Nick was brought in the delivery room, wearing protective scrubs to accompany his wife.



~~~



Lord, please make my family safe, Nick prayed so hard as he wipes the sweat off his face. “You can do it, Jessa…” It hurts to see her scream in pain as the doctor instructed her. A little more push and a loud cry of a newborn baby dominated the delivery room. Nick felt a tight knot in his heart from the overwhelming joy of being there and witnessing a miracle before his eyes.

“Jessa, I love you…” He gripped her hand tighter.

“I love you, too.”

“Well, Mr. and Mrs. Carter, let’s all welcome our darling healthy baby boy.” The doctor announced as the baby was already cleansed and wrapped in warm and soft white linen. He surprised Nick when he gestured on giving the baby to him.

“He’s healthy, no defects or any problems, doc?” Nick cleared his throat.

“What are you saying, Nick?” his former colleague asked. “He’s fine, very much fine. Now, take your son. He’s crying. He must have wanted you to take him.”

Nick trembled as he carried his son in his arms. His eyes grew misty as he looked down on him and rocked him gently. He looked up and everyone was watching him. “He’s cute.”

“It’s rare to see Dr. Carter in times like this,” one of the nurses said. They laughed.

Nick smiled and turned to Jessa. He’s been wishing for a person like her in a very long time. She’s a great blessing and it must have been fate that one day, his car broke down that he had to take that taxi and accidentally met this amazing woman. Things may have been complicated at first but they surpassed it together, with lessons learned along the way. He learned a lot and he thanked God for blessings like those. He never expected that he’s going to be on a wonderful ride in his life.

… To think that it all just started in a taxi ride.

 

 THE END

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9382