Little Drummer Girl by JennayHeartsNick
Summary:

 

 

She had just broken up with her boyfirend in a horrible way and was in need of some excitement in her life.  He was just finishing up his last show of the tour and was uncertin of what the future holds.   So, what happens when fate steps in.....

 

This is my first attempt at a full story.  I've only written short stories but I have been working on this on and off for a while.  Please read and review and give construtive critism.  Thank you!!

 

 


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick
Genres: Romance
Warnings: Graphic Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 3202 Read: 2209 Published: 11/30/08 Updated: 11/30/08
Story Notes:
I don't know how often this will be updated, but I'll try my best to update often. 

1. Chapter 1 -The Beating Of The Drum by JennayHeartsNick

2. Chapter 2-Getting To Know You by JennayHeartsNick

Chapter 1 -The Beating Of The Drum by JennayHeartsNick

Chapter 1: The Beating of the Drum

 She was so excited that tonight had finally come.  Today she finally became “legal”.  The big 21.  Her family had rented the small banquet hall at Avalon, the fanciest hotel this side of Boston.  All her family was going to be there, even though the “family” was not that big.  In fact, it shocked her that they had even rented the hall to begin with.  It was just her, her mom, Faith, her dad, Daniel, her older brother, DJ (Daniel Jr.), and her younger sister, Molly.  Raina was the middle child.  She has aunts and uncles and cousins but the were spread across the United States.  Even some out of the country.  But her parents had invited some of her close friends to the party.  And the most important person in her life, other than her family, Matt Cole, her boyfriend and love of her life.  They had been together since their sophomore year of high school.  The party was scheduled to start at 7. 
 
 Raina was in her room getting ready when her dad knocked on her door.  She stole one last glance in the mirror.  She had went shopping with her sister last weekend to buy her outfit for tonight.  She had picked out a dress the a deep shade of green, her favorite color.  It was not quite figure hugging, tho she did have a killer figure, if she did say so herself, but she was not a fan of tight fitting clothes.  It hugged her hips, had a belted waist and came mid-calf.  It had a V front but not too reveling.  Around her neck she wore the necklace her sister had given last Christmas.  It had the birthstones of her and all her family in hearts.  It was her favorite necklace.  Her hair was swept up for the most part but had a few tendrils hanging haloing her face.  She went to open the door and her dad was standing there and she could tell he had something behind his back and he had an impish grin on his face.

 “Ok dad, whattcha got?” she asked. 

He tentatively took a step in her room and produced a corsage box.  He handed her the box and she opened it to reveal a beautiful corsage of green carnations that perfectly matched her dress.   Her face lit up and she practically leaped into her dad’s awaiting arms.

 “It’s beautiful Daddy, I love it.  Thank you so much” she said as she came out of the embrace to give him a big kiss on the cheek.  “Anything for my girl” he responded.

 He held out his arm for her to take and asked “Are you ready to go?”

 He accompanied her to the car, where her family was already waiting.  It was a well known fact that she was always the last out the door.  
 
  When they arrived at the hotel, she stepped into the banquet room and her breath was taken away.  The room was decorated so beautifully.  The food was on the table on the right.  Her family owned and operated an Italian restaurant so they catered the party themselves. In the far end of the room a DJ had set up his equipment.  Even tho it was a small party she wanted the local DJ there to play music.  She loved music.  Had all her life.   Some of her friends had already arrived.  Sam, Tina, and her best friend, Erica were already there.  They yelled “Surprise!!” and threw confetti at her.  She giggled as she shook her head to get the confetti out of her hair just as Matt walked in.  She squealed and went running for him and jumped into his arms.   He spun her around and put her down, placing a soft kiss on her lips. 

 Everyone had arrived now and the party was in full swing.  Presents were on the table waiting to be opened and everyone was on the dance floor having a great time.  Raina was slow dancing with Matt when she looked up at the door and seen a woman standing there.  She had never seen her before and just assumed she had wondered into the wrong room.  The woman then began making her way over to them.  Matt had finally turned around to face the woman and his eyes widened in horror.

 “Marissa” he said, “what are you DOING here?!”. 

Raina looked at Matt, her eyes full of questions. 

“Matt, do you know this woman?” Raina asked.

  “Yes, he knows me, very well in fact”, Marissa said, with a smirk and irritated look on her face.

 “He happens to be my boyfriend” snired Marissa.

Raina though she was going to swallow her tongue by the way she gasped. 

“What!!!!” she screamed.   “Matt, what in the hell is she talking about?”. 

All the color left Matt’s face.

 “Hunny...” Matt stammered.

 “Don’t you hunny me” Raina yelled at him.

“Just tell me what the hell is going on!”. 

Marissa piped up.   “I have been seeing Matt for over 6 months now. We met in a chatroom on the internet.  We chatted for weeks and then decided to meet.  And now I understand why he was only able to see me on occasional weekends”.

 Matt worked for a delivery service that delivered hardware to some surrounding areas.  Raina felt like she was going to faint but instead ran from the room. 

“Damnit to hell!!!!” Raina shouted at the top of her lungs as she kicked a nearby amp over.  She had somehow wandered into the small concert hall.

 “Damn him” she said again. , “God he’s such an asshole!”. 

She spotted a drum set on the small stage.  She had played a  in high school, and was really good at it.  Her teacher had always told her she had a lot of talent,  but hasn’t picked up a set of drum sticks in a very long time, 4 years to be exact.  Rick Allen, from Def Leppard, was always her favorite drummer.  It always amazed her how he could go on after having his left arm amputated.  What courage and strong belief in himself he had. She sat down on the stool and placed her foot on the bass drum petal giving it a few good kicks.  She started very slowly letting the feeling come back to her.  Then it picked up.  She was very rusty and took a while for the rhythm and coordination come back to her.  She started banging away at the snar drum and the crash cymbal trying to work out all her frustrations.     
 
 She was so intent on what she was doing she didn’t notice a visitor standing in the doorway watching her.  She had been banging away for a good 15 minutes when she stopped, out of breathe and wiped the sweat from her brow.  Then the stranger started clapping his hands.  She looked up and even tho her cheeks were already red with anger and tiredness from her jam session, they grew a little more red.  She didn’t realize anyone was in the small theater with her.  He could see she was visibly shaken by his presence.

 “Sorry I didn’t mean to startle you.  That was pretty good tho.  I was just passing by and I heard someone in here going nuts on the drums and had to stop to see.  Sorry if I interrupted you.” 

Raina once again wiped the sweat from her brow.

“No problem, I just didn’t realize I wasn’t alone in here.  I don’t even know who this stuff belongs to.  I hope no one gets upset that I used their equipment to work out some anger and frustration on.” 

The stranger approached the stage and extended his hand to her.

 “My name is Nick” he said. 

She took hold of his hand in a firm yet soft handshake.

 “Hi, my names Raina”.

 “Raina, that’s a very pretty and unique name” Nick said. 

Blushing, if it was possible to get any more red in the face, she said “thank you.”  She was studying his face and felt that he was somewhat familiar to her. 

“I sure the owner of the drum set is fine with your using it.  See, that’s my drum kit or rather my band’s kit” said Nick. 

Now Raina’s face was really pink. 

“I’m so sorry.  I just saw it there and sat down and wasn’t even thinking straight.  I was so upset I just saw an opportunity to let off some steam and didn’t even think about who it might belong to.”  she said.

“That’s alright.  Hey you ok?  You look like you could use someone to talk to right now” Nick said with concern in his voice. 
 
Raina sighed a deep sigh. 

“Maybe talking to a complete stranger would help me a bit.  But first, do I know you?  You seem so familiar to me but yet I can’t place you.” 

Nick smirked and let out a little snicker.

“Well, I’m a member of a well known vocal group”. 

Then the light bulb flashed on in Raina’s head.

 “Wait, don’t tell me, Nick Carter right?” 

“Yep”, Nick said, “the one and only”.

 Oh God, Raina thought.  She had been a fan of theirs in her teenie bopper years but had lost touch with all that after high school.  Brian had been her favorite.

“What are you doing here in Boston?” she asked. 

“I’m giving a concert tonig.  It’s my final one.  I go back into the studio with the other fellas next week” he replied.

 “Oh, then I’d better not keep you.  I’m sure your very busy.” 

Raina started to turn and leave but Nick grabbed her arm and then jerked back as if a jolt of lightening had hit him.  Raina spun back around giving him a stunned look.  Nick cleared his throat.

“No, it’s ok, I have 3 hours before soundcheck. I was just heading back to my hotel for a bit when I heard you.  If you want to go have a cup of coffee with me there’s a Starbuck’s just around the corner, that is if you have the time and want to.” 

Raina thought to herself, what the hell.

 “Sure if your sure you have the time.” 

“Yeah come on.” Nick said. 

Raina ran back to the hall her family was in and grabbed her coat.  She was in no mood to talk to anyone so she didn’t even bother telling anyone she was leaving.  She was sure they would all understand.  She would apologize later for leaving.  She then rushed back to where Nick was standing by the door.  He put his hand at the small of her back as he guided her thru the door.  He received a electric shock from her.  No, not like static cling but something that rushed through his body.  He shook it off for the time being following Raina out the door. 

Chapter 2-Getting To Know You by JennayHeartsNick

Chapter 2: Getting to Know You

Nick still couldn’t get over the electric shock that went through  his body when he touched her.  By the look on her face she might have felt it too.  As they stepped outside a cold breeze came up behind them and made Raina shiver a bit.  She pulled her coat up a little tighter.  

Nick noticed her shiver and couldn’t help himself and he pulled her too him to help keep her warm.  He wasn’t sure why he did this and was more than a little shocked when she didn’t pull back.  They walked the block in silence to the coffee shop.  They got to the shop and Nick held the door for her.  Raina thought to herself ‘what a gentleman’ with a little smirk spreading across her face. 

“Whatcha smiling at?” Nick asked.

 “Oh nothing, I just love the smell of this place.”

“Me too” he replied and they walked up to the surprising empty counter.

 “Get anything you want, it’s on me” Nick said. 

“Well thank you kind sir” Raina replied, giving a soft giggle. 

Nick smiled and Raina ordered a Grande Toffee Nut Latte and Nick ordered a ordered a Grande White Chocolate Mocha.  They sat down at a small table and waited for their drinks.  Nick was playing with his fingers and looked up at her.

 “So tell me a little about yourself.  I know your name is Raina and you’re a drummer but that’s about all I know about you.

“Well” she started “There’s not much to tell really.  My life is pretty much boring.  My name is Raina McKensey, I’m 21 years old,, I started college but dropped out for lack of interest, I work at my dad’s small Italian restaurant as a waitress and I help my mom with the books.  It’s a family run thing.  I have an older brother and a younger sister.  And I was born and raised right here in Boston.”

 “Wow” Nick said, “I would have guessed you were into music or something with the way you were on those drums.” 

“Naw, I got outta that when I graduated high school.  I loved it tho.  Drove my parents crazy. I think that was a little of the draw I felt towards it” she laughed a little.

Nick gave a light laugh.  ‘God he has a great laugh and smile’  thought Raina to herself.  Their conversation was interrupted by the waitress bringing their coffee.  Nick took of the cap to his drink and added 6 sugar packets to it.

 “Not sweet enough for you already” Raina asked. 

“Nope, bad habit I suppose but that’s the way I like it, no pun intended.” Nick said with a wide smirk on his face. 
 
After a few minutes of silence, Raina asked him about himself.  She already knew some stuff about him but she wanted to know something that wasn’t printed in the papers and magazines.  She wanted to know a little bit about the “real” him.

 “So, now you know a little about me, now how about yourself.  Tell me a little about you” Raina commented. 

 “Well” Nick started, “I don’t know if you’re a fan or not, but I’m a member of the Backstreet Boys and have been for 10 years, I’m just finishing up my first solo tour, let’s see, I’m 23, I have 4 sisters and 1 brother, I love the ocean and my boat. That’s my favorite past time.  I have a speed boat race team I recently started up.  That’s all I can really think of at the moment” he finished.

Nick looked back down at his fingers again wondering what to say next.  Then he remembered. 

“Raina, if you don’t mind me asking, what got you so upset earlier?” he asked.  

She sighed deeply, running her hand thru that beautiful copper colored hair and thought for a moment.

 “My boyfriend of 5 years, Matt, has been seeing someone behind my back.  And he met her on the internet of all places.  She actually showed up at the banquet hall and all hell broke loose.  I just ran from the room and that’s how I ended up playing your drums.”. 

Nick looked at her, stunned. 

“Wow, I can’t believe she actually showed up at your party” he finally said.

“Tell me about it” Raina said.  “I mean, I thought we were actually going to get married.”

Raina seemed to have realized something and held up her left hand. 

“I completely forgot about this” pointing at the ring on her finger.  “He gave this to me our senior year, it’s a promise ring.  Well” she said as she took the ring off, “so much for promises.  I wish I would have remembered this forty five minutes ago, I would have thrown it in his face.”

 Nick gave a little chuckle then felt guilty about it. 

“It’s alright” she said as she seen the look on his face, “don’t worry about it.”.

She placed the ring on the table, spun it around and then got up and placed the ring in the trashcan.

 “Perfect place for it” she said.

 “Well, I’m about done, are you?” Nick asked. 

“Yeah but I really don’t feel like going back yet”.

 “Well, you’re welcome to walk me back to my hotel if you’d like.  We can sit and talk there.” Nick offered. 

“That sounds like a plan” Raina said, so Nick stood up and picked Raina’s jacket up off the back of her chair and held it up for her to slip into.

“Thanks” she said softly. 

“Your welcome” came Nick’s reply.

 Opening the door they left the coffee shop.


Nick led her back to his hotel and as he opened the door for her to enter, she thought to herself ‘this guy is a real gentleman.  Matt never did these things for me’.  It was kinda nice to be treated with the respect a woman deserves.  She also wondered, with him being in a boyband and all, if it was all just a ploy, but for now she just played along enjoying it.

 “There’s a bar that has some booths in it.  We can order some desert if you’d like or just sit and talk’ Nick suggested.

 “Oh, you said the right word!” she exclaimed.  “Desert!!!.  I’m such a chocoholic!”. 

“A girl after my own heart” Nick said.      

They walked up to the hostess and requested a booth in the back.  The waitress looked at Nick with big eyes but said nothing, just grabbed two menus backed up a few steps and turned and walked away.  She couldn’t have been more than 16 or 17 years old and by the look on her face, both Nick and Raina knew she knew who he was.   Raina gave Nick a big smile and Nick held his hand out for her to follow the hostess.  Once at the table Raina slid into the booth and picked up the menu, flipping to the back.  Nick did the same.  Raina eyes lit right on a picture of a huge piece of chocolate fudge cake covered in fudge, whipped cream and a cherry on top.  Somehow, when Nick seen the same picture she was going to go for that desert.  When the waitress came to the table Nick ordered the desert with two forks.  The thing was huge so they decided to share.  As they ate their cake and chatted about everything from each others childhoods to the future, Nick glanced at his watch.

 “Man, I didn’t realize what time it was.  I need to get upstairs and change and get back to the hall.” 

Raina looked somewhat disappointed. 

Nick said “I happen to have an extra ticket to my show if your interested”.

 Raina had really enjoyed this evening despite how it began.  She looked up with a huge smile.

 “I would love that.  Thank you.  How about I go home and change into something more comfortable to wear to a concert while you get ready.  I will meet you back at the hall.” she suggested. 

 “Sounds like a plan” Nick said. 

They said goodbye for now in the lobby and Raina stepped outside and into an awaiting cab.  Her parents must be getting worried about her so she pulled out her cell phone and called her mom to tell her what her plans were.

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9390