Beyond Boundaries by scarlett
Summary:

Nick's only intention is to take a vacation in the tropical country of the Philippines after a promotional tour. He never thought that it will change the way he looks at life and his perception of the culture that started to fascinate him. Is he willing to go beyond the boundaries just to be with someone he found he can never live without?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group, Nick
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 35 Completed: Yes Word count: 49499 Read: 64810 Published: 12/08/08 Updated: 01/13/09
Story Notes:

This story is written by request of a close friend of mine, and my BSBFCP colleague, Mau. This one's for you and for the Filipino fans who still believe in the magic of hope and love amidst the boundaries that come in between.

This was written in 2005.

1. Chapter 1 by scarlett

2. Chapter 2 by scarlett

3. Chapter 3 by scarlett

4. Chapter 4 by scarlett

5. Chapter 5 by scarlett

6. Chapter 6 by scarlett

7. Chapter 7 by scarlett

8. Chapter 8 by scarlett

9. Chapter 9 by scarlett

10. Chapter 10 by scarlett

11. Chapter 11 by scarlett

12. Chapter 12 by scarlett

13. Chapter 13 by scarlett

14. Chapter 14 by scarlett

15. Chapter 15 by scarlett

16. Chapter 16 by scarlett

17. Chapter 17 by scarlett

18. Chapter 18 by scarlett

19. Chapter 19 by scarlett

20. Chapter 20 by scarlett

21. Chapter 21 by scarlett

22. Chapter 22 by scarlett

23. Chapter 23 by scarlett

24. Chapter 24 by scarlett

25. Chapter 25 by scarlett

26. Chapter 26 by scarlett

27. Chapter 27 by scarlett

28. Chapter 28 by scarlett

29. Chapter 29 by scarlett

30. Chapter 30 by scarlett

31. Chapter 31 by scarlett

32. Chapter 32 by scarlett

33. Chapter 33 by scarlett

34. Chapter 34 by scarlett

35. Epilogue by scarlett

Chapter 1 by scarlett
Author's Notes:
I hope you will enjoy this. ;)

 

 

Nick frowned when he saw the paparazzi at the corner and taking pictures of him and the woman he’s holding hands with. They can never have enough. The cameras love him and the intrigues that surround him. “There’s my car. Let’s go,” He muttered to his friend, Jean. He will only take her home because she’s hiding from her boyfriend who’s been beating her. They have been friends since 2000 and they never came close into dating each other. The paparazzi, and the fans, didn’t know that fact. They assumed that she is related to him.

Jean followed. “Thank you so much, Nick. This is too much but I don’t know where I will go to.” She bit her lower lip.

“Oh, don’t bother. It’s alright.” There were flashes of light again. Nick sighed. They reached his BMW and sped off.

“My mom is picking me up tomorrow, Nick. Don’t worry,” Jean said. They are on their way to his house. “She’s taking me home to Colorado for a while. I just don’t want to see Greg again.”

“You should sue Greg. You don’t deserve that kind of treatment, Jean.”

Jean smiled. “I never really believed that you did to Paris what Greg has been doing to me. You’re a nice guy but not everyone knew it.”

“Oh, don’t remind me of her. No matter what I said in the interviews, she’s obviously a mistake. I can never love a woman like that. I may hate her but I will never beat a woman.” Nick muttered. “The media never wondered why she didn’t sue me for that. Paris is scared that she might blew her cover of pretending and lying over everything about me that if she sue me for the bruises, the truth will come out. It was all a lie. We broke up in June when everyone thought we did in July. She wanted so much publicity with all that movie crap and Carl’s Jr. Commercial that she had at that time.” He shakes his head.

“Plus the issue about Simple Life with Nicole.”

“That’s her fault, too. Nicole, however naughty she could be, is a sweet and nice woman. Paris wanted to move on and go with people who she thinks are ‘hotter’ than Nicole.” They turned down to a corner towards his place. “Oh, enough of that crap.” Nick smiled to his friend. “Our album will be out at the end of the year. Make sure to get your own copy.”

Jean chuckled. “Sure, Nick. I’ve supported your group in such a long time. You helped me a lot in my career.” She’s part of the Boys’ management staff. She received an affectionate pat on the head. “How about your love life? You’ve dated a lot of women since that particular ‘episode’ in your life but do you have plans in settling down? You’re not getting any younger. You’re rich and famous. I’m sure you put some investment on things. You’re smart and nice. But why being alone?”

“I chose to be single, Jean. It makes my life less complicated.”

“Oh, sure.” Jean glanced down the road. She doesn’t believe him.

“Actually, I don’t believe in marriage.” Nick stated and thankful that Jean didn’t pressed him more about it. It’s self-explanatory, in a way. He had a broken family. His dad is now living with his new wife and his mom is having a life of her own, too. He thought that two people could be very much in love, have children of their own and live happily ever after but it’s wrong. He experienced this side of the reality. His family was torn apart by divorce, his siblings were living on their own now and so does he. He’s happy this way. He doesn’t need to settle down to make himself complete and fulfilled. Being rich, famous and working on something he loves to do is enough for him. This is his life.



~~~



‘Incomplete…’

Nick heard his voice singing the final line of their hit song, Incomplete, as he sat and waited for the other guys to arrive at the recording studio. He smiled thoughtfully at the days when they are just starting. It has been a long journey and after fulfilling their dreams, they are now doing this for fun. It’s something that they are happy to do and something that they wanted to give back to their loyal fans that still supported them through everything.

“You’re reminiscing?” AJ interrupted his thoughts. He looked up to his old friend and nodded. “Since when did you become nostalgic? From the last time I checked, you’re only 26. Reminiscing is only for the oldies like Kevin and Howie.” AJ smirked and sat beside him on the couch. When Nick didn’t say anything, AJ looked at his friend.

“I was wondering about taking a time off. Paparazzi suck. They followed me everywhere.” Nick told him.

“They love you, they always do.” AJ shakes his head. “Where do you plan to go?” Nick shrugged.

“I got plans for you, if you’re interested.”

They looked up at the one who spoke and saw Nancy, their publicist, standing by the doorway. She closed the door and makes her way towards them. “I got a hold of information about this fan club in Asia that supported your group ever since you’re just starting. I talked to their coordinator and they’re willing to sponsor and organize an event to promote the group for the new album. What’s amazing here is that they already got sponsors who can provide everything for free in condition that your group will be in their country. But of course, they can’t answer for some things that you need.”

“What are those?” AJ asked.

“Like plane tickets and having a hotel to accommodate you. They couldn’t have anyone to provide you with those things for free, but they can give you special rates.” Nancy replied.

“We can answer that,” AJ said, glancing at Nick. “We can provide for that. As Nick was saying earlier, he needs to be away from here as much as he could. Maybe, this is his chance.”

“We’re going there at our own expense?” Nick leaned back on the couch. “It’s okay as long as it’s worth it. I mean, if we can sell records in Asia like we did 12 years ago, why not? Will it be in Tokyo?”

Nancy shook her head. “No. The Philippines.”

The two men gave her blank looks. They turned when the door opened and the other three Backstreet Boys came in. “What’s up?” Brian asked Nancy. She’s the one who called the meeting. Nancy repeated what she told AJ and Nick.

“I remember that place. Manila, isn’t it?” Brian smiled. “That’s where I got my little jeep for Baylee.”

Kevin nodded. “I remember that.”

“I don’t.” Nick said.

“You remember that.” AJ snickered. “That’s where you fell down in the stage while playing guitar while we’re singing Just Want You to Know.”

“I fell down so many times.” Nick still reasoned out.

Nancy rolled her eyes. “Anyway, how about if you go there? This fan club already talked to the management and offered to provide you the place to do a home video like that one in ‘A Night Out…’ It’s amazing how these ladies can do for you, guys. Let’s give the fruits of their efforts. How about it, huh?”

Nick glanced around. “I don’t know. I mean, the Philippines? Where the heck is that?” The guys glared at him. He couldn’t blame them. They pretended to love every place they go to but in his opinion, he’s not really elated when their itinerary includes Asia. He’s not patient in breaking through the language barrier.

“Come on, man. Show interest.” Brian shakes his head. Nick is indeed a big kid, a spoiled one for that matter. He got used to being pampered around and had others to make life easy for him. “This is for those people who worked hard to get us there. Well, almost.” Because he remembered that they’re the ones paying for their own transportation and accommodation but still, this is something different.

“We didn’t tell them to do that.” Nick replied. “Anyway, whatever your decision is, I’ll go. But I won’t stay longer than what’s been scheduled. I got stuff to do around here.”

AJ raised an eyebrow. Didn’t Nick just say that he wanted to travel just to get away from the pesky paparazzi which always follow him around?

“Like what? Going around clubs and party all night long? Is that all you want to do with your life?” Howie said. Nancy noticed the tension and discreetly excused herself. She doesn’t want to be in the same place whenever these men started arguing about Nick’s ways.

“The last time I checked, you’re not my father, Howie. And you spent your time a lot in clubs, too.” Nick rolled his eyes. “I said I’ll go, okay? End of issue. Just call me when you need my money to pay for the travel and hotel expenses.”

“You’re not leaving yet, Nick.” Kevin stopped him when he’s on the door. “We’ll talk to the manager about this plan and if it’s worth it. We also have to check this fan club, too.” Nick sighed as he opened the door and called for Nancy instead to come back. There’s no choice. If he wants to get this over with, he had to stay and pursue with the meeting.

 

Chapter 2 by scarlett

 

 

Nick couldn’t complain when he saw the itinerary for next week. Kevin and Howie got to talk with the coordinators of the fan club and amazingly, they found a hotel that can sponsor their accommodations. Furthermore, a couple of fans were able to provide a tour package for them on a getaway trip to an exotic island in the country upon their request. He read the details once again. They have interviews with MTV Asia and an intimate concert with the fans in an exclusive venue. The intimate concert will be taped and will be produced as another home video for sale. There will also be a fan conference at some hotel’s function room and afterwards, a getaway trip to a private island at the south of Manila.

He’s going to the beach. A private island without any media is pretty interesting for him. He wanted that kind of seclusion.

“You’re not yet packed.” Aaron noticed his brother and the paper Nick is holding in his hand. He’s going to take care of the house while Nick is away.

“I will do that later.” Nick takes out his mobile phone and began dialing numbers.

“By the way, Sue called. She’s wishing you a happy trip.” Aaron said as he sits on one of the couches and concentrated on his pint of ice cream.

“How did she know I’m leaving?” Sue is one of his close friends and just like Jean, others thought they went out. What’s the matter in going together in some award show? He only wanted to go, and so did Sue. And they agreed to come together. Geez. What’s wrong with these people?

Aaron rolled his eyes. “Duh, news? Nancy made it sure that your trip to Asia for a video taping will be heard by everyone. I heard Paris was so ticked because you got more project than she does now.” He smirked. “She never got enough of that competition with you. But who’d last longer if one started in a sex video scam anyway? Everyone got tired of her and her publicity gimmicks.”

“That’s what you call Karma.” Nick added. Somebody answered on the other line. “Yo, Brent. Let’s go party tonight…”



~~~



“Where’s that kid?” Howie frowned as he looked at his watch. If there’s one thing that he hates, it’s tardiness. Being the businessman that he is, he’s keen when it comes to professionalism and punctuality. That’s one of the things that make the Backstreet Boys the last boy band standing, as AJ carefully put it.

“Nick’s coming, don’t worry.” Kevin muttered but silently prayed that their youngest friend would come sooner. It’s the last call for boarding time. They all got settled on a Northwest Airlines flight to Manila in first class section. Everyone’s complete except Nick.

Howie turned when AJ yelped as he accidentally dropped his PDA. A flight attendant was in immediate rescue to pick it up. “Thank you so much,” he heard AJ says and silently cursed when he saw his PDA’s cover went loose.

“Would you like me to help you with that, Sir?” The same female flight attendant asked him.

AJ looked up. “Do you know how to fix this?”

“I’m into gadgets and small technologies and I have one exactly like yours.” The attendant muttered her thanks when AJ gave her his PDA. She quickly did something on it and the PDA went back to its normal function. “Here it is, Sir.”

“Thank you. You’re amazing. Too bad, I already had a girlfriend.” AJ shakes her hand.

“I’ve got a boyfriend, too.” The attendant excused herself and turned to the other people in the first class to check on their seatbelts and personal hand carry.

“She’s good.” AJ told Howie. He takes one last look at the flight attendant.

Howie smiled and heaved a sigh of relief when he saw Nick running inside and collapsing beside AJ’s seat. Brian, who’s sitting in front of the two, turned to him. “You made it, Nick! Give me five.” Nick smiled and slapped high fives with his best friend. Howie rolled his eyes. He buckled his seatbelt and turned to the laptop in front of him. He couldn’t understand why Nick would not even work hard to show interest in this project but then, Nick never liked to go to this part of the world either. Howie sighed once again.

“You almost didn’t make it, man. What took you so long?” AJ whispered to Nick as the plane began to taxi on the runway. “Howie’s pissed again.”

“He always is.” Nick said. “Anyway, get this.” He smirked as he gets something from his backpack. AJ laughed. “What?”

“What are you doing with those travel guides? What’s the sudden interest with the Philippines?”

“The beaches, man!” Nick excitedly said. His seatmate raised an eyebrow. “What? You’re pissed when I don’t show interest. Now that I’m looking forward to it, you’re giving me that look. What am I supposed to do now?”

AJ shakes his head. “No, it’s alright, Nick. I just can’t understand your frame of mind sometimes. Anyway, I got to tell you about this lovely flight attendant.” He looked around and saw none. Oh, the plane is ascending. That’s why. She’s buckled on her seat too. “She’s not here. You should meet her…”

 

Chapter 3 by scarlett

 

 

Faye bit her lower lip as she tries not to cry again. She’s afraid to come home in the Philippines knowing that she has surprising news to her mother and most especially to her father. As she looked to the window and saw the fading view of Los Angeles in sight, she knew that there’s no point of turning back now. This is it.

She glanced when the teenager beside her keeps on moving around. “Excuse me. Is there something wrong?”

The young lady blushed. “You’re a Filipino, right?” she asked instead. Faye only nodded. “Kilala mo ba ang BSB?” the teenager asked her if she knows BSB. Who’s that?

“Huh?” Faye gave her a wondering look.

“Never mind. It just so happened that they’re on the same plane with us. Can you believe that? The best guys in the world are here on the same plane. They’re at the first class section, at the second deck.” She pointed her fingers upwards, indicating the first class section on the second deck near the cockpit of the Boeing plane. “I got to do something to at least take a picture with Brian. This is amazing. I love this trip.” The young lady continued to talk. Faye looked to where the aisle leads to the first class section. BSB? Who are they? She must have said it aloud that the woman turned to her in surprise. “Gosh, don’t you know them?”

“Should I know?” Faye politely smiled. “Actually, I’m more into Red Hot Chili Peppers.”

“You’re impossible. By the way, I’m Rhiz.”

“Faye.” They were about to shake hands when she felt something weird in her stomach. She felt like throwing up. “Uh, excuse me.” She hurried towards where the lavatory is. She saw a man probably on his way too and she hurriedly reached the lavatory before he did.

“Hey!”

Faye closed the door and began throwing up. But none came out. Tears formed in her eyes as she thinks of her situation. Her father’s going to kill her for this once she learns it. Damn, going home must be a mistake. She heard a knock on the door. “Are you alright?”

“Go and pee on the other lavatory. I’m so sorry.” She said. She couldn’t mistake the croak in her voice. Anyone who’d hear it obviously can tell that she’s crying. Her eyes widened when the door moved. The man deliberately opened the door. “Get out of here.” She hissed. She tried to close it.

“I don’t know why I’m doing this. Anyway, I already used the other lavatory. The one upstairs are full.” The man shakes his head. “Are you alright? I heard you from the outside. You’re crying.”

Faye looked at the man. He’s cute. She noticed that immediately. She wished she can see his eyes because he’s wearing some cool shades. “Thanks for the concern. It’s none of your business.” She cleaned her face, not minding that the man still stood there. When she’s done, she faced him again. “What?”

The man only shrugged as he looked down to her. He stepped aside and let her pass him by. He then, turned back towards the first class section.

Faye, on the other hand, found her seat and settled herself. Rhiz is now busy with her iPod to even bother acknowledging her comeback. Faye turned to the window of the plane. She must have a plan. It will be very humiliating if her father learns that she’s pregnant. She spent years in the US to study and her family has been expecting a lot from her to manage their business. But once they learn about her pregnancy, she’s going to lose their trust. She’s going to be a shame in her family. That’s how it normally goes in most families in the Philippines.

Being a Catholic country, Filipinos grew accustomed to the sanctity of marriage and the legitimacy of the children who will be born with complete parents. Even in this new millennium, Filipinos were mostly conservative when it comes to moral and religious values in accordance to the teachings of the Catholic Church. And that’s what worries Faye. Her family is a devout Catholic and it fears her that they might not accept that she engaged herself in pre-marital sex and her baby may be born without knowing its father. Her boyfriend ran away from his responsibility when he learned she’s pregnant.

Rhiz left her seat, in which Faye didn’t mind. That girl must have a plan already on how to get an autograph to those singers she’s talking about. She, on the other hand, is hungry. She brought along some fries from McDonalds as she craves for it. She unearthed the take-out food from where she thoughtfully placed it and began munching on the fries.

“That’s a whole lot of cholesterol, considering that you’re pregnant.”

Faye looked up and once again, saw the same man. She only smiled and offered him a share of her fries. “I’m sorry if I’ve been snappy there.” The man sits beside her. “What are you doing? Where do you sit by the way?”

The man gestured his finger upwards. First class. Okay. This is a special guy, considering he can afford first class. “By the way, I need air from the people there. It’s suffocating. So I thought of looking for you down here.”

“Why?”

“Because you have fries?” The man smiled. “”By the way, I’m AJ.”

“Faye.” AJ takes a handful of fries and began munching on it while he’s sitting beside her. “Is it your first time in the Philippines?” She asks him.

AJ shakes his head. This woman obviously doesn’t know anything about him or his group. “It will be my third time. There’s business that I need to attend to with my four other friends. If you’re interested, you can go to our show. I’ll give you VIP passes. You may bring a friend along with you.”

“Business? Show?” Faye thought for a while. “My seatmate here was telling me that there are some VIPs at the first class section. Are you one of them? The singers?”

AJ chuckled. “I don’t see myself as a VIP. I’m just simply doing my job.” He continued eating the fries in his hand.

“So, who are you?”

AJ turned to her with that infectious smile. Faye couldn’t help but felt her knees go weak. “Backstreet Boys.”

Faye looked at him. “Oh. Yeah, I think I heard of you before.” AJ raised an eyebrow. “Really. I’m sorry that I didn’t recognize you. Why are you going to Manila? I didn’t know that you even considered going there. I mean, it’s not the same as Canada or Sydney…”

“But we have great fans there.” AJ smiled. He began telling her the entire story about their trip. He wasn’t finished yet when they were interrupted by a loud gasp.

Faye saw Rhiz. “Oh, Rhiz. I’d like you to meet AJ.”

“I know…” Rhiz said, in almost a whisper. AJ shakes her hand. “I’m sorry but you know that it wasn’t everyday that I find my idol sitting in my plane seat. Can I have a picture with you?” AJ agreed with an amused smile. Faye volunteered to take the picture and afterwards, Rhiz took pictures of them too. It wasn’t long when AJ bid goodbye to them to go back to his seat. When he’s gone, Rhiz hugged Faye. “Wow, Faye. You just made me really happy.”

Faye laughed. “I’m glad I did.” She hugged her back. She’s glad she’s able to make someone happy, even if she is very lonely.

 

Chapter 4 by scarlett

 

 

“I’m glad that it’s okay that I sit here to chat with you.” AJ told Faye. “You just reminded me of my cousin.” He watched as Faye only smiled and sets aside the magazine she’s reading. He easily convinced Rhiz to change seats with him for a while because he wanted to know Faye more. He didn’t know why but he thinks that she has a problem. He didn’t know why he wants to help. Maybe, she just really reminded him of his cousin, Julia. And he missed his cousin because she's in Orlando right now and recuperating from a vehicular accident.

“I’m glad Rhiz is okay with this. I hope she doesn’t have any heart problems.”

“Don’t worry. Nick is sleeping. That’s my friend. He’s also part of the group and he hates flying. He tries to catch up some sleep because I think he went out with some of his buddies last night.” AJ opened a pack of M&Ms he brought along for her. “How many months are you pregnant?”

“Three.” Faye sighed heavily.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Faye looked at him. “Okay. I know, we just met.” AJ added. “But maybe I can somehow give you advice. I’d like to be your friend. Don’t worry about anything more. I have a girlfriend back home and I love her.”

She hesitantly bit her lower lip. AJ noticed that she’s about to cry. Something’s really wrong. “I’m three months pregnant and my family doesn’t know. They might disown me if they found out that the father of this baby ran away from his responsibility with me.”

AJ frowned. That bastard, whoever that man was! “Faye, hush.” He takes her hand. “Why won’t your parents accept you? It’s not that you aborted it or something.” Faye began telling him about her conservative family and how they try to protect the family’s reputation. Being the accidental mother that she calls herself now, Faye thinks that her family will not accept her and the baby and she will only put them to shame.

“I wished that my sister, Anna, is with me. I need her. You know, my sister is one of the strongest people I’ve ever known. I missed her.” Her voice trembled.

AJ gathered her close to him and embraced her. “It’s going to be alright, Faye. Trust me. And believe in God.” He began telling her about his story in dealing with his addiction and his journey to revitalize himself and renew his faith.



~~~~



“Hey.” AJ smiled to Faye when he saw her at the arrival area of the international airport in Manila. They already arrived and although the Boys are now being rushed towards their hotel service, AJ takes one last chance to bid goodbye to his newfound friend. “Good luck.” He hugs her. “It will be alright. Trust Him.”

Faye smiled. “Thanks.”

AJ nodded and followed his bodyguard towards where their group is. They heard screams from the outside. “Is that ours?” His excitement surged from within as he heard the loud noise and seemingly, there’s a band playing their song outside too. He turns around and found the curious stares of the people to them. Okay, they knew them. This is far different from the reception they had from the last time they were in Manila.

“Most likely. Nancy just met the representatives of Sony-BMG and the head coordinator of the fan club.” Howie smiled. They tried to listen to what the head of security were instructing them about their route towards the waiting transportation outside the arrival area. It must be serious.

“I was informed that the security here was doubled because there’s another VIP with us in our flight.” Jim, the head security, said. He smiled. “Ready?”

AJ only nodded and turned around. He saw Faye walking out of the arrival area and smiled to him. He smiled back and the next thing he knew, he’s being told to move to go out too. It seemed like chaos outside. There are so many fans, waving their banners to them. There’s a marching band playing their song. It was some sort of a festival. His mind is in blur. Nick nudged him and smiled. The younger one likes the reception and so did he. There were women, dressed in some sort of a national costume, and put flower necklaces on them. There were also some people who were introduced to them as representatives of the recording company and the fan club but he forgot their names.

AJ pointed to Nick where Faye is. He introduced the woman to him during the flight. “She’s really pretty.” Nick tells him.

“Yes. She told me that you’re cute and made sure that I tell that to you.” AJ chuckled.

Nick watched as she was escorted by some men in uniforms. “Oh, she has bodyguards too? Who is she here?” Then his eyes widened when as soon as the car door was shut, it exploded. Everyone scrambled into safety. Even they were immediately pushed back inside the arrival area for protection by their bodyguards. But Nick’s eyes widened when he saw AJ struggled to let go and ran outside. He heard him yelling.

“Save her! Save her! She’s pregnant!” Nick heard him and ran towards his friend but AJ’s bodyguards beat him to it. AJ tried to go to the car but was stopped. He keeps on shouting Faye’s name. The airport was in tragedy. The car exploded once again. “Oh my God! Faye!”

 

End Notes:

thank you for reading. ;) mwah!

 

Chapter 5 by scarlett

 

 

“It was crazy, baby. I can’t do anything.” Nick heard AJ telling his girlfriend about what happened at the airport earlier. They were already at the hotel and the press conference is due in the next hour and everyone is preparing them for that, most especially AJ.

The media was interested about the concern he showed for Faye, who happened to be the daughter of an influential senator in the country. She died at the car explosion and AJ’s bodyguards found a hard time in keeping him calm after what happened. “It’s horrible to watch a friend die like that.” AJ wipes his tears. “I just knew her at the flight. She reminded me a lot of my cousin. You know, Julia.” He continued. “Yeah, I love you too. I’ll see you in a few days and we’ll go to the beach. I need you here.” He paused as his girlfriend talks on the other line. “Okay. Please come here. It’s hard. I’ll be in a conference later and surely they’ll ask me about Faye.”

Nick drew a deep breath. It’s wrong to eavesdrop but he couldn’t help it. They were all in shock. AJ introduced Faye to them last night after dinner and she seemed nice, albeit a little shy. But they never knew that she’s pregnant and that shocked them the most. They all saw the car exploded twice. They were in the news upon their arrival, mostly about Faye’s acquaintance with AJ and his revelation about her condition. Kyle, their road manager, informed that Faye’s remains were in her family now and at a vigil in an exclusive chapel somewhere in the city. Senator John Gomez, Faye’s father, also sent the group their gratitude for making her happy even during the last hours of her life.

Still, AJ felt restless. Nick could see that. His friend keeps on pacing around while talking with his girlfriend. He stood up and went to the adjacent room where the other guys are. Kevin looked up when he comes in. “He’s still upset?”

Nick nodded. “It’s really a shock,” he drew a deep breath. “She was a sweet person last night. Who could have plotted it?”

“I heard that her father, the senator, had a controversial expose a few weeks back and he received several death threats ever since.” Drew, one of their bodyguards, said. “No one expected that they would turn to his daughter for revenge.”

“Are we safe in this country?” Nick asked, once again feeling nonchalant about this whole idea of promoting their new project in Asia.

“As long as we’re here, you’re safe,” Marcus told the young blonde. They all turned when AJ came in to the room.

“Aren’t we supposed to be ready for the conference now?” He asks them. “Man, I’m hungry.”

“We’re due in an hour,” Brian replied, looking at his watch. “How are you, J?”

“I feel weak. I want to rest.” AJ closed his eyes but opened it when the main door opened and their PR staff came in, along with some unknown faces. He didn’t move while the rest of the guys came to introduce them. When Kevin gave him a look, he stood up to meet them. They were the two representatives of the Philippine official fan community and two record executives from the recording company. The Boys were briefed for their entire schedule on the next few days including their side-trip in an exclusive resort island at the south of the country. Nick looked very excited as the travel coordinator, who’s also one of the fan club coordinators, told them the itinerary. He completely forgot about his anxiety over their safety.

AJ wished he could feel the same excitement but Faye still occupies his mind. Her untimely, and unjustifiable, death keeps on repeating in his memory. He shakes his head as if trying to erase it. He can’t do anything about it now.

The newcomers never left. They were also the ones who coordinated with the media that’s why they have to stay. At about twenty minutes before the conference, Nancy pulled the five of them altogether for another briefing. AJ sighed heavily. Their PR looked at him and she understood. Nancy gave him a comforting smile and a pat on the shoulder.

“We already expect that the press will bombard us with what happened at the airport. I’ve already issued a statement that, in respect to the deceased and her family, we will only entertain questions pertaining to the objective of our visit in the country.” Nancy said while looking at AJ. “I understand what you’re going through right now. Even though I haven’t talked to her last night, it was really horrible to witness what happened earlier. I share the same sentiments.”

“Thank you very much, Nancy.” AJ hugged her. “Now, I feel more comfortable after hearing that. I don’t really want to talk about it actually and I don’t want anyone pressing me about it later.”

Nancy smiled. “Alright,” she smiled. “So, on with the job. I got here some news clippings that have been collected prior to your arrival. I want you to take a look on these so that you’ll be prepared later.” She casts a glance to Nick and Howie. Both just had a controversial breakup with their own girlfriends. A year after he dated Paris, Nick went out with a woman of her kind while Howie got involved with a woman who revealed herself in Oprah that she only used him for fame and fortune. That was an unusual declaration which surprised everyone in the Backstreet camp. Nick and Howie’s relationship ended but still everyone still keeps on talking about it.

Nick saw Howie’s jaw clenched as the quiet one took the moment to read what was told of him. He knew how his friend has been so angry about what happened with him and Kimberly. Nick believed that the woman loved his friend so much and it was really a surprise that she’d expose herself like that in Oprah, even making it appear like she’s in a personal psychological dilemma that not even Howie could do about it. As for him, everyone was mocking him for not learning a lesson from his past episode with Paris when he dated an unknown Greek heiress who, in the end, was just like his ex-girlfriend after all – a media-hungry socialite who wanted an easy ticket to fame.

“We had enough of the news in the US,” Kevin said, taking the news clippings from Howie’s hold and giving it back to Nancy. Howie didn’t say anything as the papers looked as though it disappeared in his hands.

“We know what to answer,” Brian seconded his cousin.

Nancy felt intimidated as the five looked down on her small frame. “Oh, alright. I just thought you need this. Don’t look at me like that. You know that it scares me.” With that being said, the guys laughed. Their publicist was like a little sister to them. Being a professional in the tender age of twenty-three, Nancy is already a successful publicist who handled them very efficiently. The Boys liked her so much, they don’t want to let go of her.

They turned when the door opened and revealed their manager, Kyle, announcing they should proceed towards the ballroom of the hotel where the conference will be held.



~~~



Almost everyone turned when a woman in red came to the wake of Faye Gomez, the daughter of Senator John Gomez, who died after the car exploded at the airport earlier that day. The newcomer is wearing dark shades which almost hide the assets on her face. Her long dark hair flowed freely as she walks, making one think if she’s a devil incarnate beneath the angelic visage. She stopped in front of Faye’s closed coffin and looked down on it.

Her sister.

“Amazing,” Anna tells the other woman lying dead in it. “You’ve been the center of attention all your life and up until your last breathe, you’re still the talk of everyone.” She quietly tells Faye. Her hard countenance could tell how her experiences in the past made her become the strong woman that she is now.

“Anna…”

Anna did not turn around. It was her mother who called. For sure, just like what they enjoyed doing for years, they will ask her to leave again. She’s the unwanted child, unlike Faye. Maybe because she has a mind of her own and wanted to do things her way. Faye was the submissive child. She followed every thing that their parents told her to do, even send her to the best school in the US to study, while Anna stayed in the country and studied in some state university. It wasn’t that she’s complaining but between them, Faye always had the good life. She was always the favored one. And through all of these, Anna became rebellious. She also wanted the same attention that her parents were giving her sister but wasn’t successful. They even threw her out of the house just because she only came home late after a group study session with some classmates. Since then, she never came back and lived with her aunt instead. She finished school on her own, through the help of her aunt and her part-time jobs. She never asked for anything from her parents. She now works as a travel journalist for a women’s magazine. Faye, on the other hand, still struggled to finish college in the US and hasn’t graduated yet. It was everyone’s surprise that she came home in the middle of the school year and found out that she’s pregnant and unwed.

Anna felt her mother’s presence beside her. “How does it feel learning that your favorite child came home pregnant and died? It must have really hurt.” She said.

“How dare you?”

Anna turned to her mother. “You’re asking me? How dare you?” She looked around and saw her father’s bodyguards at the entrance. Senator John Gomez has arrived. “Excuse me. I feel unwanted here. I have to go since that’s what you’d ask me anyway.” She walked towards the main door and met her father. Without any word to him, she walked past him and left her sister’s wake. As soon as she got into her aunt’s old car, she cried.

 

Chapter 6 by scarlett

 

 

Anna frowned as her friend, Intin, dragged her inside the Renaissance Hotel. She was told that her friend is going to meet some international artist at the hotel in which she doesn’t have any idea who. Intin also asked her if she could write a feature about these people on the magazine she works for. They were classmates, way back in college. “I’m a travel journalist, Intin. I write about places not people.” She continued trying to tell her friend. But being the persistent person that she is, Intin ignored her quiet pleas not to take her to the hotel.

“They’re great. Just wait until you hear them sing tonight. I got special passes for you. Once you meet and hear them, you’ll like them.” Intin said. There were lots of media in the lobby who were also probably there for these people.

“Who are these people anyway?”

“Backstreet Boys.”

Anna stopped. She stepped back. “Do you realize who they are? They’re the people who were with my sister before she died.” She groaned. “No, Intin. Don’t do this to me. It’s been really hard.”

“That’s why I’m taking you here. I want you to meet AJ. He’s a nice guy. And I know he’d like to meet the sister. He’s been really devastated from what happened.”

“There’s no need to remind me that. I saw his expression on TV. Please, Intin…” She tried to step back but her friend only gave her a pleading look too. Intin was about to speak when they heard someone calling her. It was a woman with short blonde hair.

“Nancy, hi.” Intin shook hands with the newcomer. “I would like you to meet Anna Gomez. She’s the travel journalist that I promised you who will give the briefing about the Boys’ excursion in El Hombre Island.”

“Hi, Anna. It’s nice to meet you. The Boys are preparing for their video shoot later and we need this travel briefing to get over with. They are busy in a fan conference at the function room right now.” Nancy pulled her towards the elevators. “They are excited for a private getaway, especially Nick Carter. Intin arranged a wonderful tour package and with her presentation today, she promised me to bring you along. I believe that she mentioned your expertise aside from the fact that you’re Faye’s sister.”

“Yes, I am.” Anna glanced quickly to her friend who only smiled. “Uh, is it okay if Intin and I would have a quick briefing before the presentation? It seemed nerve-wracking considering that the gentlemen seemed very excited about the side trip. We’d like to polish some things first.”

“Oh, okay.” Nancy glanced at her watch. “We’ll be waiting for you at the conference room in fifteen minutes.”

“That would be nice. Thank you so much.” Anna sweetly replied. When Nancy left, she turned to glare at Intin. “Are you nuts? You want me to present an itinerary that I don’t have any idea about?” They walked towards the nearby café inside the hotel. “Give me the details and I’d like to review it first. You owe me, Intin, big time.”

“I know you can do this. You’re the only person I know that can present a tour package to them without getting nervous. I know I can’t do it by myself, considering that I might stutter merely just by seeing Nick’s face. You know it already, Anna. I don’t want to mess up.”

“Do you think I won’t?” Anna sighed. Her mobile phone rang.

“Yes. I believe in your confidence. I’m excellent with the documentation as you are with the presentation. We were a team in college, remember?” Intin stopped talking when Anna answered the call from her phone. She watched as her friend frowned and argued with someone over the phone. When the call ended, Anna shakes her head endlessly. “Anything wrong?”

“I can’t believe this! Is this some kind of a divine intervention?” Anna exclaimed that the people nearby turned to her in curiosity. She sighed.

Intin shrugged. “What about?”

“My boss wanted me to go to Palawan, too. And she even happened to learn about you and this project of yours. She asked me if I can get a hold of some sort of an interview with these men on that island.”

Intin’s eyes widened. “No way! The Boys wanted privacy. They will surely disagree. Did you know that even Kevin and Brian’s family would be arriving tomorrow just to spend this private getaway with them? Anna…”

“I know. This is a problem.” Anna bit her lower lip. “We just can’t tell them about this. I’m not part of your plans. I understand that. I don’t want to give you problems, too.” She takes the Boys’ itinerary to Palawan from Intin. She reads the details. “Do you think it would be effective if I hinted something about going there too as part of my job?”

“Maybe you can say it as part of your presentation.” Intin stared at Anna. Both of them smiled at each other. “We can do this, Anna. Oh, thank you very much for helping me on this. And I envy you for spending a few days with my favorite Boys. I wish I can go but I got so much work here.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll update you with pictures.” Anna turns back to the itinerary in her hand. “Come on. Let’s get this project started.”

 

End Notes:

please read and review. thank you. ;)

 

Chapter 7 by scarlett

 

Nick paused when he’s about to open the tap to wash his hands. He’s in the men’s room and he heard someone talking with somebody, over the phone, on something about investigation. He really should stop listening to other people’s conversation. He shakes his head.

He couldn’t help it. It aroused his curiosity as some woman asked about legal stuff he only heard on TV. This must be something serious. He finished washing his hands and after drying it off, he went out of the men’s room. The woman stopped talking when she saw him. Oh, great, must be a fan, Nick thought. But looking at her from head to feet, she doesn’t look like a fan. Hell, what does a fan looks like anyway? They surprised him sometimes. They came from different walks of life.

“Hello,” he politely greeted and went on his way.

“Uh, hi?”

Nick smirked and continued on his way. But then, he turned back. He thought of inviting the woman later for the intimate concert with their fans. He didn’t notice that she’s just behind him so they bumped into each other. “Oops, sorry.” He caught her before she falls down. The woman immediately tried to get away from his hold as if she’s allergic to him. He raised an eyebrow. “I’m sorry. I wasn’t looking.”

“It’s alright, no harm done.” The woman only smiled a little then excused herself to walk away. Nick only watched her go away. He didn’t have the chance to say anything and he even wondered why he needs to bother himself about it either. He saw his bodyguard signaling him to hurry. He went on his way back to the conference room.

Nick saw his friends holding some travel kit that must have been distributed while he’s out in the men’s room. Intin, the travel coordinator, is already there and talking with Nancy and Howie. He sits down beside AJ as the other one gave him his own kit. He reads the brochures and the necessary data they need for their private vacation. It will be in a private and secluded island in a province they called Palawan. The resort where they are going is situated within a bay that is surrounded by many islands. Activities offered there are not far from the ones they used to go to in Bahamas and Caribbean. But surely, Palawan is a new place to explore for Nick and he’s looking forward to it. Among the activities include soft adventure sports such as snorkeling, diving, kayaking or trekking within the island’s forest trails or leisure picnics by the shore. Nick surely wanted this seclusion, even for just a few days. He smiled.

“I hope they have cable TV,” AJ muttered. “This seemed so remote.”

“I learned that it’s safe.” Marcus informed them. Nancy and Intin turned to them.

“Yes.” Intin added. “For your information, a special security system is established in the island to monitor the arrivals and departures of the visitors there. Everyone is well accounted and screened by the chief security guard of the resort that not even terrorists or pirates can go there unnoticed. Any unidentified vessel or object comes within some nautical miles from the island will be immediately be notified to the authorities for quick action.”

“Sounds safe enough,” Brian nodded. They turned when the door opened and a woman comes in.

“I’m sorry for being late. Good morning,” the woman smiled to everyone and it never wavered when she saw Nick. She’s the one he saw at the hall earlier. Nancy introduced her to them as Anna and the woman thoughtfully shook each of their hands. When she reached Nick, the youngest Backstreet Boy decided to lean down and kiss her on the cheeks.

“Hey, you just met,” Kevin teased.

Anna blushed as Nick only chuckled. She never thought that this man would do something like that to her upon her greeting. Sure, he’s cute and all but she’s not impressed. He should be better than that. “I guess that’s his way of saying hi.” She can only say just to make something out of the situation. She went towards the table where Intin has just finished setting up her laptop and connected it with the projector.

“She’s not charmed,” Brian whispered to Nick then chuckled.

Nick rolled his eyes. He stared at Anna and shakes his head. This one’s pretty simple for his usual taste. She doesn’t have the beauty he got used into seeing in women back home. She seemed ordinary but then, there’s something in her that intrigues him. He can sense that there’s a hidden part of her personality that will make her outstanding from the other women he knew.

“Miss Anna Gomez will be the one to brief you about your itinerary for three days in the island resort.” Intin tells them. “She’s a multi-talented and award-winning travel journalist in our country and has her own show on TV. She’s a friend of mine and a former classmate in the university.”

“Thank you, Intin, for that introduction,” Anna bit her lower lip then looked at each man. “I’m honored to be invited here today and to have this opportunity to present to you the wonders of our islands. I admit that I wasn’t one of your fans but to be able to introduce you to my country is an honor. It’s not everyday that famous celebrities would spend their time on our precious beaches like you probably did in the Bahamas or the Caribbean islands. As for this private getaway, I introduce to you one of our safest and our most beautiful private beach resorts, the El Hombre Island…”



~~~



When the presentation was finished after fifteen minutes, including some questions from the Boys, they all get up to shook hands with Intin and Anna. The Boys knew that a three-day rest is something they need before going off to finalize their new album. It won’t harm either if they indulge to a travel package prepared by their loyal fans in the Philippines too.

AJ stared at Anna. “You know, your face seemed familiar. Haven’t I seen you before?”

“AJ, you already got a girlfriend.” Nick remarked.

“I know. It’s not that. I mean…”

“I’m Faye’s sister.” Anna replied. Everyone looked at her after she said that. She nodded. “It’s a coincidence that Intin is my friend and invited me to make a presentation today with you. It also happened that my boss gave me an assignment to go to El Hombre too for a new project in my show.”

“Whoa!” AJ stared hard at her once again. “Oh, God. How are you doing, honey?”

“I’m fine.” She looked at each of them. “It’s been nice meeting you again. Thanks for visiting our country.” With that, she walked out of the conference room. The Boys, Nancy and Intin were left in silence.

“Your friend seemed distant,” Nancy whispered to Intin as she helps her keep her things.

Intin quietly sighed. “You have no idea.” The Boys started going out of the room except Nick. He excused himself from them and went to Intin.

“The guys and I talked about going to Faye’s wake after the performance tonight. AJ doesn’t know yet. Anna seemed distant. Is there something we should know about so that we are prepared for what to avoid to when we go later?” Nick asks her.

Intin looked at him. “Don’t mention Anna. She’s the estranged daughter of the family.”

“Huh?” Nick frowned.

“It’s a long story. You would not want to go in to the mess.” Intin gave him a smile. “Now, aren’t you supposed to be preparing for your performance?”

Nick stared at her for a moment. Intin couldn’t understand what’s going on in this man’s mind. Oh, she’s been a fan for more than ten years and she realized she never knew them at all. They’re one-of-a-kind people when she met them personally. This man, in particular, is far from the guy she thought that he is. He must have adopted Kevin’s serious attitude. He must have really grown up. “AJ’s so affected from what happened, Intin. That’s primarily our concern. It’s not everyday that we witness someone as sweet as Faye would die in such tragedy. Realizing now that Anna’s her sister, I’m sure AJ will find a way to talk with her. Knowing him, it’s something to help him feel better after what happened.”

“You don’t know Anna. She wouldn’t like to speak to anyone relating to her family. I was surprised when she admitted her connection with Faye earlier to AJ. She wouldn’t do that.” Intin excused herself from him and went out of the conference room. Nick was left pondering on what to do with Anna. Knowing AJ, he knew his friend won’t stop until he reached out to Faye’s family for their loss. AJ can care a lot like that, even though the person was a stranger to him.

 

Chapter 8 by scarlett

 

 

Anna felt goose bumps as she listened to this group sing. They can truly sing. They have this amazing talent to sing a Capella harmoniously. That is surely one of their weapons to remain strong in the industry they are into. She looked around to find that the fans that came to the intimate concert were silent and ‘religiously’ listening to them sing. She, on the other hand, accepted Intin’s invitation to watch them. She was given the front seat. She can see them clearly. She never saw them make some dance routines. They sang slow songs and they amazed her. Somehow, being here meant that she also wanted to know the people who have been with her sister before she died. On the other hand, there’s also a part of her wanting to leave as painful memories surged in mind.

And now, they are singing a song they dedicated to Faye. She tried so much as not to let a tear fall when memories of the past flashed in her mind. She missed her sister and she never showed that fact to anyone.

As she watched them sing the ballad, Nick’s eyes met hers.



Guilty road to an endless love
There’s no control
Are you with me now?
Your every wish will be done, they tell me




Her eyes locked with his. She was mesmerized. He continued singing but his attention seemed to be on her now. It only broke away when Nick closed his eyes when he made a solo bridge on the song. AJ gave the background vocals and they shifted to another song in which she still doesn’t know what the title is. The guys started to leave the stage except Nick, who stayed and hummed the song. The piano filled the place and his voice feels soothing. For Anna, it felt so amazing that there were tears in her eyes.



And I need you tonight
I need you right now
I know deep within my heart
It doesn’t matter if it’s wrong or right
I really need you tonight




“He’s amazing…” Anna only whispered but Intin didn’t fail to hear. Intin smiled. She hoped that her friend is having a great time. This is what Anna needs right now, to soothe the loneliness she’s feeling from the loss of her sister. Intin noticed Nick kept on glancing their way, particularly on Anna. Is he attracted to her friend? Or maybe just curious. Nick looked at Anna again.



I figured out what to say to you
Sometimes the words
They came out so wrong
Oh, yes, they do
And I know this time you will understand
That what we have Is so right This time




Anna turned to Intin. “Do they really do this?” She asks in a whisper.

“Is there anything wrong with that?” Intin smiled teasingly.

Anna didn’t reply and looked back at Nick. The combination of five voices is so wonderful. She didn’t expect that they will sing solo parts and Nick took his turn first. He amazed her. She doesn’t know the song he’s singing but she’s beginning to love it. He mesmerized her merely by just singing. If there will be a chance to know him better, she’d like to try it. But he’s a famous guy and he will never give attention to someone like her. Nobody, not even her family, likes her. So why wish for someone like Nick, anyway?



~~~



“I got some medicines at the hotel. I’ll give you some when we get there.” Howie tells AJ at the backstage. The taping has finished and the Boys are being prepared to go back to the hotel.

“You can borrow my laptop battery, Howie.” Nick said when he passed by them. They turned when they noticed a group of women coming in the backstage, expecting that some fans might have successfully barged in to the backstage. But it was only the officers of the fan club. Anna was among them. Nick was amazed as the woman didn’t hesitate on walking over to them, unlike her companions who stayed further behind.

“Could you help me?” Anna asks. AJ is already in full attention to Faye’s sister.

“Maybe. What is it?” AJ returned the reply with another question. Nick folded his arms across his chest as he looked down at this woman. He wondered what happened between Anna and her family to have a cold relationship. He wondered how she was as a sister to Faye.

“Since I’m also bound for El Hombre, may I request for an interview with you?” Anna is looking directly at AJ. Nick shakes his head and turned away. This woman thinks she can charm AJ to get what she wants since she’s Faye’s sister, in which the death has affected AJ in a way. As he walks away to search for another source of interest to engage with, he heard Howie’s reply to Anna.

“You can talk to Kyle and Nancy about this. They’re the boss.”

Nick is about to smile but he heard AJ’s additional statement. “I’ll help you talk with the two. And you might as well have Nick around to guide you. He’s voted to be our spokesperson in this tour.” Yeah, he knew that particular detail. The other guys will be busy starting tomorrow since their better-half will be arriving in Manila while he, on the other hand, has no one. Any inquiries with their activities will be handled by Nick and Nancy. “Is that right, Nick?”

Nick only nodded. He looked at Anna. The woman is looking at him directly in the eye and he wondered why he felt uneasy. “But can we do that on the plane on our way to the island? I believe that’s my only spare time.”

“Yes, no problem. Thank you very much.” Anna gave him a smile and shook his hand. “I’ll better get going. See you later.”

“We’re leaving at 8AM later, Anna.” AJ added as she walks away. Nick gave her one last look before going on the opposite way. AJ turned to his friend and wondered why Nick acts so weird earlier at the video shoot. He noticed his younger friend kept on glancing Anna’s way. He knew it wasn’t something romantic. Nick gave up on it a few years back because of an ex-girlfriend. The younger guy wanted to steer clear from any women with a hidden agenda. But AJ recognized that look. It’s curiosity. Why is Nick curious at Anna?



~~~



Anna wearily sat on the old sofa as soon as she got home. The day has been an exhausting one from the moment she received a call from Intin. She never thought that a lot will happen in just two days: her sister died and she met a man she found interesting for the first time but never seemed to like her in return. She shakes her head and chuckled. When did she start having a crush on a pop star? That wasn’t like her but Nick made it possible. He’s got this charismatic appeal over a woman without making effort.

Her mobile phone rang and noticed it is Regina calling. That’s the part she hates about her boss. Regina is so inconsiderate and demanding. It was as if Anna is upon her beck and call whenever she’s needed. Regina would usually call at wee hours in the morning just to tell her something about work. She’s very workaholic and it’s no wonder if she’s still single and virgin at the age of thirty-six.

“Yes, Ma’am?” Anna answered.

“I know you’re still awake. How’s the assignment?”

Anna sighed inwardly. “Are you a Backstreet fan, Ma’am?” When her boss excitedly agreed, she rolled her eyes. That’s not surprising. Regina is very enthusiastic. If Anna can only tell her boss to do the project herself rather than her, it will save her a lot of energy. She’s been through one busy week and she had plans of spending the weekend lying on her bed and channel-surfing on the TV but this event changed everything. “Trust me, Regina. I’m working on this. By the way, I don’t have money. How am I going to go to El Hombre when I haven’t got plane tickets, hotel reservations and pocket money? Those guys will take the 8AM chartered flight later.” That’s one of the things that she doesn’t have much, money. Her parents never supported her. Only her kind aunt, who lives in this old apartment, helped her through it all. Others may see her as a successful career woman but she’s not financially well-off. She still had to struggle to live and eat and with dues to pay.

“Aimee took care of everything. My driver will pick you up at 5AM.” Regina replied and hung up. Anna glanced at her watch, 5AM? It’s already four in the morning. She stood up to start packing her things when she heard her Auntie Del calling her.

“I heard noises here. You just got home?” Del asks her as she went to the kitchen, which is only divided by a wooden shelf, and began heating up water for coffee. With the simplicity of their life, no one would think that she’s a daughter of a senator. The only luxury they have in the apartment is the TV, a cheap DVD player, a small fridge and an electric fan.

“I just got home from some concert I’m obliged to go to. I’ll be leaving in an hour. I’m going to El Hombre.” Anna yawned. Her aunt got used to her unusual working time. She stared blankly into space.

“Your Mommy told me that you came at Faye’s wake.”

Anna looked at her aunt. “You went there?”

“I stayed only for a while. I can’t take it when those people began saying things about you.” Del frowned. “Anyway, go pack up. I’ll prepare you breakfast.”

Anna muttered her thanks and went to her room. It was about a half and an hour later that she found herself struggling to carry her backpack. She reached the lounge of the chartered airline and several foreign people were already there. After undergoing the usual check-in, she looked around. She easily spotted the group of the Backstreet Boys. They’re early. Did they ever sleep? One of them, she remembered as Kevin, greeted her. He’s holding a blonde woman’s hand of whom he introduced as his wife. Anna noticed the glow in his eyes as he spoke about Kristin.

“It’s nice meeting you. I didn’t know that someone is married in the group.” Anna shook hands with Kristin.

“Have you already had breakfast? They serve complimentary meals here.” Kristin glanced at her husband. “Kevin will get you one. Right?” Kevin nodded and stepped back to follow his wife’s suggestion to get Anna something to eat.

“Oh, it’s okay. My aunt already prepared me one at home. Thanks so much.” Anna found this couple so nice and accommodating, and so much in love. She wondered if they already have kids.

“I’ll bring you coffee instead.” Kevin insisted and went off. The other members of the group saw her, including AJ who is with a woman, probably his girlfriend or his wife. They introduced everyone to her and found out that Kevin and Brian are cousins and both married while the other three were still bachelors but Nick is the only one unattached. When they mentioned Nick, Anna realized that the youngest among the group was nowhere in the crowd.

“Where’s Nick?” She casually asks AJ. She’s actually curious.

“He’s inside the exclusive lounge, having an overseas phone interview. I told you, he’s our main man for now.” AJ winked and chuckled. “He’ll be out soon. He’s the most excited among us. He never had any sleep since we left LA days ago.”

Anna nodded. They turned when they heard the announcement that it’s time to board the plane. They all began clearing the place. Just as when Anna picks up her carry-on bag, she heard Nick’s voice.

“You’re sitting beside me so that we can proceed on that interview.”

She looked at him and saw him holding his phone near his ear. He’s still probably talking with someone on the other line. She only nodded and walked ahead.

 

End Notes:

i hope you're enjoying the story ... ;)

thanks for reading.

 

Chapter 9 by scarlett

 

 

Anna sits down by the window after Nick requested for it. It seems like the man feels uncomfortable in his seat, considering that he’s a big man and the leg room is not enough for him. “Are you alright?” she asks.

Nick looked at her and nodded. “I’m fine.” He extended his other leg out in the walkway. He noticed her taking out a notebook and a pen. “Where’s your palm pilot?”

“It ran out of battery. Besides, I can’t open it on this flight. It might just disrupt the plane signals.” Anna discreetly yawned. “Excuse me.”

“Have you had any sleep?”

She answered him with a negative shake of her head. “I came home late just in time that my boss called for my travel set-up. If some girls were envy at this job that I had, they can take this from me just for this weekend. I’m tired.” She tried to smile in hopes of getting some in return. Unfortunately, none came. She wondered how much it would cost to make one Nick Carter smile at her. “Did you sleep?” she asks him.

“A little,” Nick replied, “I wouldn’t trade my job for anything else, even for just a while. I love this, despite the tiresome activities and anything that goes along with it.” He arranged his sunglasses and ran his hand through his dark blonde hair. He rested his head against the seat and pouted.

Anna got the chance to see the wonderful curve of his lips. When he turned to her, she instantly looked away. “So, I learned that all of you loved the time off and going off to places like these, what are your favorite beach getaway?” she started asking.

Nick studied this woman beneath his sunglasses. He caught her staring at his lips. He hides his smile. Now, he’s more curious…



~~~



“That’s just so beautiful. I wished the pictures captured will be developed soon,” Nick heard Kristin telling them after they’ve gone through scuba diving in a nearby site in the island.

“We can ask for our copies and have it framed.” Kevin told his wife. The group continued to walk towards the cottages intended for them. Intin and Anna are right when they presented El Hombre Island to them. It was like being in the Caribbean Islands, only better. Most of the guests were foreign nationals who preferred the island more than any other beautiful beaches and diving sites in the world. It’s a world-class travel hotspot that not everyone knew of. But Nick wanted it that way. It preserves the purity of the island from unwanted exposures of the outside world may bring: overcrowding, the pollution and industrialization.

Nick stopped by the small hut that stored the diving gears they used. He also took the liberty in taking off his wetsuit and when done, only a pair of shorts was left in him. He walked off towards his own cottage. That’s when he spotted Anna alone in a gazebo. It looked as if she transferred her office to the beach. He saw a laptop in front of her, two high-tech cameras, some electronic box, a little portable printer and her palm pilot that she’s currently attending to. He decided to get near her.

“Have you had any rest?”

Anna almost jumped in surprise. “I took a rest after we got here.” She placed down her palm gadget and attended to her laptop. Nick noticed that she’s editing some photos and writing an article at the same time.

“Like how many hours of rest?”

“I had two enough hours.” Anna muttered as she focused on what’s in her screen. “How’s the day? Did you have fun?” She takes time to look at him and saw him nodded in reply. There was silence after that. Nick watched her work for a while.

“What happened between you and Faye?” His question caught her unprepared. Nick thought this is the time to ask her questions. When they visited Faye’s wake after the concert taping, he had a feeling that things were unsettled between Anna and Faye. He is curious and he doesn’t know why he bothers to make it his business to find out about it. Maybe because after he settled things with his siblings and having a revitalized relationship with them, he wanted the same with Faye and Anna although the former is already dead.

“It’s none of your business, Nick.”

“I know.” Another silence. “The common thing that I noticed with you and your sister is that you’re both low-profiled. You don’t act as if you’re daughters of a famous senator in your country.” Nick continued.

“We don’t need publicity for ourselves.” Anna muttered. Nick didn’t comment on that. He watched as she picks up her camera and began adjusting the lens and staring at its small screen. She turned to him then. “I wondered how much it will cost me just to see you smile.” She told him.

Nick raised an eyebrow. “Excuse me?”

“Will you please smile for me?”

“Why?”

Anna stared at him. Why? She didn’t know what came to her but she just suddenly had this urge to take a picture of him smiling. He seemed reserved and distant and she wanted to see the boy in him, in which Intin has been telling her about. She is curious to see the fun-loving and carefree person that the BSB fans have informed her before the concert. “Should there always be a reason why?” she asked him back.

“I’m not in the mood to smile.” Nick stood up and went back to his cottage. Anna shakes her head. She decided to go back to what she’s previously doing before Nick came along. Actually, it’s more like she wanted to go back to being her normal self before the Backstreet Boys came along. She’s happy with the way her life is turning out to be. She stopped what she’s doing and stared at the group picture in front of her. She knew that these Boys somehow changed her life and the youngest among them is trying his best to penetrate into her life for reasons she doesn’t know. She just feels that something’s up with that guy.



~~~



“What’s up with Nick?” Leighanne asked her husband while she watched from the window. She saw Nick stopped over to where Anna is before he went back to his cottage. She saw the intense and curious look in Nick’s eyes when he sat with Anna.

“What do you mean?” Brian stood beside his wife and looked to where Nick is. “J said Nick’s curious about Anna because she’s Faye’s sister. It seems like there’s some family drama going on in their family including a sibling rivalry.”

“But it’s no longer Nick’s business.” Leighanne raised an eyebrow.

“I can’t understand it either, Leigh.” They watched as the two stared at each for a while and then, Anna gets one of the cameras and faced Nick. She said something in which Nick shakes his head in reply. “Something’s up with Nick and I can’t understand it.” Brian said. “I need to talk with that guy.”

 

 

Chapter 10 by scarlett

 

 

Anna smiled when AJ and his girlfriend, Kaye, came to the gazebo where she is currently working for the interview she had with Nick. “Hi, wow! You made this your personal office.” AJ says and browsed at the pictures in her digital camera.

Anna nodded. “I heard that you were out on a dive. How is it?”

Kaye smiled. “It’s great. It was wonderful out there. You should’ve come with us. Nick is the only one unpaired.”

Anna chuckled and closed the laptop. “Oh, Mr. Grumpy. Thanks, but no way.”

“Why?” AJ smirked. He noticed that the two seemed to have this silent disinterest from each other. The other guys noticed that too and they chose to observe rather than to intervene. Nick is curious with Faye’s sister and they wondered why.

“Why? Well, I just feel that if ever I will come across into trying to start a conversation with him, he will brush me off immediately. I’ve tried that earlier, even requested a smile from him, but he only walked out as if he’s just wasting his time.” Anna told the couple. “I know I don’t know him and I’m not trying to judge him that easy except that I found him to be Mr. Grumpy. That’s all. Please, don’t pair him up with me.”

“Oh, okay.” Kaye glanced at her boyfriend. “Would you like to go hiking with us tomorrow morning?”

Anna shakes her head. “I’m sorry, I can’t. I’m leaving the island tomorrow. I still got lots of work to do in Manila.” She smiled. “Thanks, anyway.” There’s been silence for a while until AJ cleared his throat.

“Uh, by the way, Anna?” the two women looked at him. “It’s about Faye.” He suddenly felt uncomfortable because of the sensitivity of the situation. “Well, she told me about you when I had the chance to talk with her during the flight.”

“How did you meet, by the way?” Anna asked. AJ couldn’t see any hint of emotion in her face and he wondered how she could do it, being incapable of feeling anything or rather showing her emotions. Drawing a deep breath first, he started to tell the first time he met Faye until the moment when she died inside an exploded car.

“I somehow knew about you from the way Faye tells your stories. She’s so fond of you. She missed you and she loved you so much.” AJ finished. He watched as Anna continued working on the laptop, looking as if they’re just talking about some random things. He met Kaye’s look. “Oh, and there’s another thing I have to tell you. Nick likes you.” He added.

Anna raised an eyebrow. “Okay. That’s a joke.”

“Seriously,” Kaye agreed. “He’s talking about wanting to know you more. Did he drop by here earlier after our dive? He said he wanted to talk with you, maybe like asking you out for a dinner tonight.”

“He did drop by but our conversation was far from getting to know each other. He’s actually unnerving.” Anna looked at them. “Did someone break his heart or something? He’s like a robot.”

“Ignore that. Nick actually likes you. He’s just being dumbfounded when he’s around a woman he really likes.” AJ tells her. He smirked. May Nick forgive him, because he’s pairing him up with Faye’s sister.



~~~



“So, as I was saying,” Kevin chuckled as he continued with his story, “I’m thinking of painting the kid’s room pink but Kris preferred white.” He and the rest of the guys, and their wives and girlfriends, are having dinner that evening. Nick is the only one not there, said he went to the other resort to check out the party going on there.

“Pink?” Brian chuckled and turned to Kristin. “Kevin likes pink?”

“Let him get what he wants. He’s too excited having a baby and he wants a girl. I, on the other hand, preferred to paint it white.” Kristin said. The couple has been planning to have a child in a very long time and they must have found time to concentrate on that part now. She looked around. “Where’s Nick?”

Others shrugged in reply. “I wonder what his business is with Anna. Have you noticed him? I saw him going towards Anna’s cottage earlier.” Brian told them.

“He likes her?” Howie asks. He continued with his food. But before Brian could reply, the subject of their conversation entered the dining hall, literally following Anna. The two were in a conversation but they couldn’t hear what it is. They did not even seemed to notice that their friends were there. The two went straight to the buffet table, still talking about something.

“What’s going on?” Leigh, Howie’s girlfriend, asks. They waited for the two to join them but after a while of taking what they need to eat, they settled on a table outside the dining hall, overlooking the beach. The group all looked at each other with curiosity. What’s going on with Nick and Anna?



~~~



“Oh! Come on,” Nick insisted but Anna only rolled her eyes. She never thought that this guy can be very persistent when he wants to get things his way. And he’s asking her for something ridiculous. She went out of the dining hall, deciding to occupy the table facing the beach. She noticed that Nick followed her and sat opposite of her.

“Nick, I said no. That’s N-O.”

“Why?”

Anna stopped from slicing her pork and looked at him. “Why? It’s ridiculous! You are asking me to go to the US with you.” She smirked. “That’s just not possible.”

“Why? I’m offering you a job. You can be our tour coordinator.”

Anna forgot what she’s holding – a knife that she’s now waving in front of him, emphasizing what she’s trying to make him see. Nick had to edge away to avoid the sharp edge. He saw how pissed she is but instead of getting worried, he secretly smiled. Anna glared at him. “Tell me, Nick. Why are you doing this?”

They stared at each other for a while before Nick cleared his throat. “Alright, I admit. I want to see you and the only way to have that is to ask you to come with us when we go home. It would be impossible if you refuse because you’re here and I’m there. I want you near.”

“You’re a spoiled brat,” Anna shakes her head. She continued eating. Nick watched her that she felt conscious on what she’s doing. “Has anyone ever told you that it’s rude to stare?”

“I’m an artist and I have this penchant in appreciating beauty, most especially of the one that’s right in front of me.” Nick smiled. It’s the first direct smile to her since the first time they met. Anna thought her heart beats faster than she thought. Intin is right. Nick can be really charming and mesmerizing if he wants to and he knows when and how to use it. He’s doing his tricks on her in order for her to agree on what he’s asking of her. She still disagreed. It’s ridiculous.

“You don’t have to smile like that just to get what you want.” She drinks her glass of water.

“Doesn’t it have any effect on you?”

“You’re charming but I don’t agree with what you want. I’m not someone who will give in and follow what you want. I have a very good life here in my country and I won’t go with you to the US.” Anna looked at Nick and met his stare.

“Is that your final answer?”

“Yes.”



~~~



“What’s up, man?” Brian asks when Nick joined them. Nick missed the curious looks that his friends exchanged with each other as he asked a waiter for a bottle of light beer.

“Fine. I just spoke with Anna, nothing much though.” Nick studied the food that is in front of them, wondering what kind of exotic dish it is.

“Oh, Anna.” That was AJ. “She told me that she’ll be flying back to Manila tomorrow.”

“Huh?” Nick looked at the elder man. “Why?” Anna never told him anything about that while having dinner with her earlier.

“She needs to go back. Apparently, her hands are full with so much work.” AJ replied. The others were weighing the situation on whether they will confront Nick about his interest with Anna.

“When we get back to LA, there will be a demo recording at the studio. Ken informed me last night.” Kevin told them.

But Nick’s mind is elsewhere. He is tapping his fingers on the table, biting his lower lip. “Excuse me,” he stood up and left the group.

 

 

End Notes:
thanks for reading. ;)
Chapter 11 by scarlett

 

 

Anna shakes her head as she listened to the person on the other line. She bit her lower lip to keep herself from crying out of frustration. The person on the other line is telling her something about the investigation made regarding the death of her sister. She won’t let anyone who’s guilty of it to get away from it. Anyone who plotted it must pay.

“Are you telling me that it might not be the last time he’d do that?” Anna drew consecutive deep breaths. She told herself to never cry after the last time that she had when she tried to visit her sister for the last time, in her funeral. “What is the grudge towards my father?” She paused and listened. She started to walk out of her cottage. Her things are already packed and she’s ready for the early morning flight tomorrow going back to Manila.

“I think that it’s injustice. It’s not fair.” Anna looked out towards the sea, with bright moonlights shining over the surface. It looked peaceful and she wished that she can be like the sea someday, that amidst every storm that comes its way, it will go back to being peaceful. She longed for peace in a very long time, both in her heart, mind and soul. “Give me a report after a week again, okay? Thank you so much.”

Anna drew a deep breath as she ended the call. She leaned to the nearby post, her eyes focused to the sea. She turned when she heard footsteps. Nick came. She saw him stood beside her.

“You didn’t tell me that you’re going home tomorrow.”

Here we go again, she thought silently. She couldn’t understand why this man took a sudden interest in her. She’s probably far from what those women he has gone to looked like. She didn’t even classify herself as pretty, compared to her sister Faye. She actually felt insecure and she cannot appreciate that someone like Nick would take an interest in her.

“Why would I tell you? You’re not my father.”

“Have you ever told your father where you’ll be every time you’re away?” Nick asked back.

Anna frowned. “That’s beside the point. You, on the other hand, are not even a close friend.”

“Why are you being this hard?”

“Why do you always want to think that you can always have things go your way?”

“I’m not a spoiled brat, if that’s what you think.” Nick quietly said. They met each other’s look. Anna saw something in his eyes and couldn’t clearly fathom what it is. She tried to turn away but Nick immediately shows her something that is in his hand. It’s a bracelet made of native beads. He must have got it from the resort’s souvenir shop. “A friendship offering for you, Anna.”

She didn’t know why the simple uttering of her name sounds good coming from him. And when Nick smiled, she couldn’t help but smile back. She raised her arm and Nick puts the bracelet on her wrist. “Thanks. I didn’t have anything for you.” Her smile grew wider when Nick shyly showed her a similar bracelet from his pocket. She takes it and wears it on him. “I’d like to make it clear, Nick, that I won’t come with you to the US. I’ve got several things to settle here, including about my family.” She raised her eyes to his. That’s a big mistake. He is really charming. “B-but sure, we can be friends.”

Nick takes her hand and shakes it. Anna was mesmerized by the gesture. There was never a man who can make her feel so special but Nick. Her heart swelled. If only things weren’t complicated now, she can drop everything in her life and just be with Nick. But there’s the matter about the death of her sister and she is hungry for justice.

“I’d love to be your friend, Anna. I will never pass this opportunity to be your friend.”



~~~



Anna yawned for the nth time as she carefully placed her things inside the cab: the laptop and some other gadgets that are properties of the company she’s working for and brought along with her when she went to El Hombre Island. As she slid inside the car, memories of her last night with Nick came back to her.

After their mutual agreement to be friends, they spent the rest of the night talking with each other about a lot of things. She never thought that Nick is an intelligent man. For a famous singer like him, he had other concerns aside from music that includes business, politics and nature. It amazed her how he dedicated some of his time in discreetly helping some foundation in the US in promoting the preservation of the ocean. Nick said it never reached the knowledge of the media and he didn’t mind that not everyone knows about it too. He told her about the scandals he had in his life and how he was prejudiced most of the time but he doesn’t care because as far as he was concerned, he’s not doing anything wrong. It’s only that sometimes though, there are circumstances that led him to do what he needs to do making others misinterpret his actions.

And then, Nick focused his attention on her. Anna never felt comfortable talking with another person about her family dilemma before. With Nick, he made her trust him in a simple way and made her assure that he can be truly a friend to her. And she admits now that like his millions of fans, she has grown a liking for him too. She felt so lucky to be able to spend some time with him, and with the rest of the other guys. They can now consider her a new member of the Backstreet Boys fan club and she doesn’t care what other people may think.

Before she left the island yesterday, she and Nick exchanged phone numbers. The man promised he will call her and she’s expecting for it. But until now, the promised call still hasn’t made. Her musings were interrupted when the cab driver announced that they already reached the building where her office is. She paid the fare and went out. Just as then, someone surprised her when the person tried to grab her things. She looked up and saw Ivan, her gay best friend.

“Oh my God! Since when did you arrive from LA?” she excitedly hugs him and received a quick smack on the lips in return. She smiled. Ivan has been her longtime best friend since high school. He’s also one of the people who helped her get through her life ever since she walked out of her family’s house.

“Hey, you’re crying?” Ivan chuckled. “Come on, darling. I spoke with Regina and asked to take you out for a quick breakfast.”

“Oh, but she’s expecting the details about the Backstreet Boys interview that I had.” She didn’t protest when Ivan led her to his car.

Ivan raised an eyebrow. “Backstreet Boys? I can see that Regina is still a fan.” He chuckled. Regina, Anna’s boss, happens to be a family friend of Ivan’s. They have known each other since they were kids and it was Ivan who referred Anna to Regina, together with all the best recommendations he can provide for his best friend.

Ivan’s face went serious. “Anyway, I heard about what happened to your sister.”

“It’s unfair that it had to happen,” Anna replied. “I’m crying for justice, Ivan. No one deserves to die like that.”

“What are you going to do?”

Anna sighed heavily and she began telling Ivan her plans.



~~~



It was unexpected that Nick will go back to Manila earlier than the time schedule they had. The other guys were left behind in the island. They were surprised by his decision and although they have questions, they chose to respect his decision of following Anna in Manila. He called Intin to ask a favor to pick him up at the airport. He got her number after the taping of the mini-concert. He knew that Intin is a fan and he saw how lucky she felt that he asked for her number. But he just didn’t see her as a fan but also a newfound friend in this foreign country. Intin, and the rest of the people in the fan club, were so industrious in trying to maintain the momentum of their fans in the Philippines. This is one of the things he can do as a payback for all their efforts, by giving her his private number. He made her promise to keep it a secret from the rest though.

“I’m glad that you came to pick me up.” Nick smiled down to Intin. He and Marcus, the bodyguard that he brought along with him, put their luggage at the trunk of the car.

“Coincidentally, I got a meeting after lunch so it’s okay that I pick you up first before going there.” Intin smiled back and they went inside the car. Nick sits beside her in front.

“Are all the members of the fan club already working?”

“No. Would you believe that you still got fans as young as thirteen?” They laughed. “Some were still students, others were already married while most of us were young professionals. You’d be amazed at the diversity of the members during our regular gatherings. It’s fun. We try to do those things regularly not just to bond as your fans but also to reunite as if we’ve been friends for a very long time. It’s like a large female bonding time. You’d be surprised on the things we talked about other than you.” Intin finished her long reply. Marcus is nodding in agreement behind them.

“Well, this is off-topic, Intin. Did you know where Anna is?” Nick asked her.

Intin bit her lower lip. “Uhm, during weekdays, I know that she’s just at the office or somewhere nearby for her work. She used to go around the country for her job but she told me that when Faye died, she decided to stop going around for a while. I think she wants to find out the mastermind behind her sister’s death.”

Nick looked at the road ahead of them. That’s probably the reason why she didn’t accept his proposal to go with them to the US. Anna wants to stay for her sister. “For the years they’ve been apart, there’s still the strong bond between them as sisters.” He remarked.

Intin nodded. “You’d think they’re twins. Anna may have been jealous of Faye before but I know how she loves her sister so much. It’s sad that there’s a rift between Anna and her parents. She grew up in an unusual setting. She went to school through the help from her aunt and some friends and from her part-time jobs. She’s been through a lot and that’s what made her a tough person that she is today.”

“Does she have any boyfriend?”

Intin glanced for a while to him before facing the road again. “There’s none. She only had one but with the big responsibility she had for her own life, she doesn’t take time in love and relationships. We’ve tried to set her up to some men many times but failed. It’s either she thought it’d be a failure before it begins or the men gave up before it begins. She can be intimidating sometimes.”

“Would you set me up with her?” Nick saw the surprised look from Intin’s eyes and he made her speechless for a while. He watched as she struggled for words to say.

“Are you serious?”

“Why would you think that I’m not?”

Intin shrugged. “Well, it’s just that we have different cultures. I know how my fellow Filipinos work to court the women they like. While in your culture, I’m not familiar with how you treat your relationship with women. No offense, Nick. I’m only concerned with Anna.”

“Those things that you read about me in those articles on the internet and on the magazines weren’t all true, Intin.” Nick muttered. He’s frustrated that someone would try to see him as the celebrity boy that has been made up by the foreign media. Here he is, trying to be serious with a wonderful woman and her friend started to see him as the man in glossy magazines. He deserves more than that. “I’m serious with Anna. In a short time of knowing her, I like her in an instant.” He tried again but still, he felt the hesitation in Intin’s eyes.

In almost an hour of travel going to the hotel due to traffic, they reached their destination. When Nick and Marcus were done with the check-in, Intin spoke with him. “I’ll arrange a dinner meeting with you later with Anna. Now, how’s that with you? But I still have to check with her. She’s a busy person.”

Nick’s smile grew wide. “Call me for whatever the plan will be, okay?”

Intin rolled her eyes; a smile is on her face. “Nick Carter, I just don’t know how to resist you.”

 

Chapter 12 by scarlett

 

 

Anna filed the last copy of what she printed on a clear folder, ready to be submitted to Regina. It’s already three in the afternoon and maybe she can go and grab something to eat at the pantry. Her phone rings while she walks towards the pantry. Her heart skips a beat when she read the caller ID. Nick. She glanced around, hoping that Regina is nowhere nearby. Her boss might shriek in excitement if she will know the person who’s trying to call Anna right now.

“Hi,” she casually answered, careful that Nick wouldn’t notice her excitement from his phone call.

“Anna, guess where I am.” She heard his chuckle on the other line.

“Uh, let me guess. You’re in the middle of a forest and lost your way. Your companions left you without knowing it and now you’re calling me for help.” Anna bit her lower lip as she quickly slipped into the pantry for privacy.

“That’s creative but no. That’s not the right answer.” Nick chuckled once again. “I’m already in Manila.”

Anna almost dropped the phone in hand. “What? What are you doing here? You’re supposed to be back by tomorrow not today.”

“I want to see you.”

That one sentence made Anna speechless. Nick thought she hung up on him. “Do you expect me to believe that, Nick?”

Nick frowned. “What is there in me that people won’t believe?” He asked out loud, more to himself than to her. “Don’t I deserve to be trusted?”

Anna bit her lower lip. “It’s not that, Nick. It’s just that I don’t know you well yet. It’s not that I don’t trust you. It’s just that…” she paused.

“What?”

“I’m far from your league.”

It was Nick who turned speechless. His league? He always doesn’t get it. He sighed in frustration. Here it is, a woman he found interesting to get to know with and she’s afraid to get closer to him just because he’s some sort of a celebrity, a famous person with a high-end lifestyle. That’s unfair. “Anna, that’s not true. I’m just a person. Don’t look at me as that celebrity you see on magazines or on TV.”

“I know. I just can’t help it now. This is unusual.”

“Yeah,” Nick replied. “Listen, can I take you out for a dinner tonight?”

Anna stared at her hand. She bit her lower lip, weighing the consequences of what her decision will be. Maybe it’s time to loosen up for a while. Maybe it’s time to give herself a chance on this. “Yes, Nick. We can go for a dinner tonight.”



~~~



Anna went out of the taxi as soon as she paid the fare. She went in to the lobby of the hotel where Nick is currently staying. Nick told her that she may come in her casual clothes or whatever she feels comfortable wearing with. They agreed that the dinner will be something they need to do to start off as friends. Nick clearly wanted to get to know her better and Anna is not blind to see that the man is interested in her. She is, too. But her modest values advised her to restrain the feelings first. Nick is, after all, still a stranger for her even though he’s been a public property and his fans knew a lot about him. She wanted to see the person that is Nick, not the celebrity one.

She was about to go to the front desk when a big bulk of a man comes her way. “Miss Anna Gomez?”

“Yes, I am.” Anna smiled and carefully looked around for any one who may have recognized her too.

“Nick is at the restaurant on the fifth floor. Please, follow me.”

Anna only nodded and walked alongside the big man. He walks fast and she tries to keep up the pace. He must be some sort of Nick’s bodyguard, judging by his body built and his actions. She knew because her father had lots of bodyguards. Inside the elevator, she tried to start a conversation with the man. “What’s your name?”

“Marcus.”

“Nick’s friend?”

Marcus nodded, “and also their bodyguard.” He showed a smile for the first time. It’s been a quick ride and when the elevator opened to the fifth floor, Nick is already waiting at the lobby. Anna’s heart warmed at the bouquet of flowers in his hand. He’s wearing a white polo shirt tucked in his jeans.

“Thanks, Marcus.”

“Have fun.” Marcus replied and went inside the restaurant, leaving the two of them at the lobby.

Nick looked at Anna. She came in her usual clothes yet she looked so chic. She’s only a simple woman and yet, there’s something in her that stands her out among the women he’s been interested with. “How’s your day?” He gave her the flowers. “They are for you.”

Her smile seemed to light up the lobby more. Nick smiled back. “They’re lovely. Thanks. And my day is fine. As soon as I finished with my article and my pictures with you, my boss was so excited to see them all. You should go to my office sometimes so she’ll shut up, Nick. My boss is your hardcore fan.”

Nick laughed. “I’ll remember that. Let’s go inside.” They went inside. The restaurant is exclusive and the lights give out that romantic feeling within Anna. Nick pulled the chair for her before he sits on the one opposite hers on the other side of the table. The waiter arrived for the menus and moments later, he walked away with their orders. “You should eat a lot, Anna. You’re skinny.”

“I’m trying to.” Anna replied. “So, how was your day?”

Nick shrugged. “Nothing much. I spoke with my sister, Angel, earlier and told her about the beaches in El Hombre. She may want to go here sometime. The Boys are coming tomorrow for our flight in the evening.” With that being said, Nick’s face grew serious. “Anna, we’re going home. Please believe me now when I say that I’m serious about you. I like you.”

Anna was caught off-guard by that direct profession. It wasn’t a wonder for her if she likes him but hearing him say the words about her feelings for him, she finds it impossible. How could he like her? He met a lot of women who were probably prettier and greater than her. She couldn’t understand how he could like her in just a short period of time. “You’re making me feel awkward, Nick.” She admitted.

Nick bit his lower lip. “Uh, by the way, I spoke with my friend in LA. She’s a producer in a media network there and I told her about your job as a travel journalist. She’s interested in meeting you and probably to offer you a job to produce a travel show in the States.”

“That’s great. Let me think about it and let her have my contact number. Thanks, Nick.”

Nick only smiled. “No problem with that. Oh, and also tell Intin that our marketing wants to speak with them about this fan club they’re managing. It seems like they wanted to officially affiliate the club to our official fan club, Weird World.”

“That would be great news for them. Thanks, Nick, for doing all of these.”

“It’s fine with me.” There was silence for a while as they waited for their orders. “So, what do you want to do tonight?”

Anna raised an eyebrow. “Why are you asking me? You’re the one who have thought of this date, you should have a plan.”

“I’m not sure what the proper way to date a Filipina is. I read your cultures on the brochures at the hotel but I still don’t have the idea on where or how. I’m giving you the decision.”

Anna stared at him. He’s letting her handle their date. “Okay. I got an idea. Would you like to go around the city tonight? Since this will be your last night here, I should make use of my profession and tour you around.” Anna winked at him. The tension died between them when she saw the excited expression on his face.

“I’d love to!”

 

Chapter 13 by scarlett

 

 

From the buzzing streets of the busy district of Makati, Anna decided to take him and Marcus in the main city of Manila. She sat behind the wheel of the car that the hotel had graciously lent them; Nick is beside her while the bodyguard is sitting at the back. They cruised down the boulevard in the city of Manila. Nick was overwhelmed by the colorful lights that brightened up the seaside road that reminded him of Miami.

“I wished it was daytime so that I could have seen more beautiful sights at the light of the day.” Nick said.

“Well, let’s see what we can do.” Anna drove the car to the right towards a parking space. “We need to walk.” She stopped the engine and released herself from the seatbelts.

“Where are we going?”

“We’re going to the park.”

Nick chuckled but excited. He and Marcus followed her as they begin to walk. He takes her hand so that they can walk together. Marcus is keeping a watchful eye behind them. “This city seemed so full of life. What is this called again?”

“Manila. From Makati, we’re now here in Manila.” They crossed the street towards the nearby park. “That’s the monument park for our national hero, Jose Rizal. It’s called Luneta Park.” Nick let go of her hand as he takes out his camera. Anna couldn’t help but laugh.

“What?” Nick grinned.

“You’re acting like a tourist. I just never thought that Nick Carter would be this excited about a tour in the park.” They reached the monument where a statue of the national hero is situated. There are two guards standing beside it. Nick began taking pictures. He even asked Marcus to take pictures of him with Anna.

“They’re like the guards in Buckingham Palace in London. You can never make them move, can’t they? Why are they there?”

“Yes, they will never move unless there’s a threat against the monument of our national hero. They’re the Philippine Marines. They are assigned there to guard the monument as well as in respect to our national hero who had major contributions for the independence of the Philippines. That’s how much we give importance to our heroes and to all other people who have done so much for our country.” Anna explained to him. “Come on. There’s a night theater in this park. I’ll take you there to watch it.”

As they walk, they passed by a man selling ice cream. Anna stopped and turned to them. “Do you want ice cream?”

“Okay. Let’s try it.” Nick was about to get his wallet but Anna stopped him and insisted to pay for it.

“We call this ‘sorbetes’.” She said as she gave each cone to them.

“Shorbeytes?”

“Sorbetes,” Anna corrected, “or in English, we call this ‘dirty ice cream’.”

“Oh,” the two men looked at the ice cream in hand.

“It’s okay. It's just a name,” Anna tasted hers. “It’s good. Try it.”

Nick followed. “It’s sweet.”

Marcus chuckled. “Of course, it’s ice cream.”

They continued to walk. Anna pointed a food store in sight. “You see that? The people who ran the place were deaf and mute. It’s a program to help them make a living and to support other people who were like them.”

“How are they going to understand each other?” Marcus asked her.

“They have hands, signage and the cash register. It worked so far through the years.”

Nick looked around the large park. It is a national park and there were lots of historical statues around in which Anna said were their other heroes. Just like the Central Park in New York, Luneta is still bound by people who just wanted to spend a time around. There were families strolling around. He saw a number of couples too. Others were just alone. He glanced at the woman walking beside him. Anna looked up and smiled and turned away. Her smile warmed him and he felt lucky to have this time with her, even for the last time.

Two hours after a play, Anna took the two for a leisure stroll at the bay walk area, a popular tourist spot in Manila that is located at the seaside of the major boulevard. There are lots of outdoor dining establishments and music bars situated there where people spent their idle time for the evening. It was expected that Nick, with his celebrity status, would get noticed. And he was really noticed. At first, it was the murmurs and doubtful looks that he’s just a look-alike. But when a fan approached and asked for a picture of him, more followed. Anna and Marcus got worried. They politely excused themselves from the rising crowd and went back to the car. Marcus initiatively took the keys from Anna so that he will drive. The two went in the backseat.

“I’m sorry. I think I’ve made the wrong move of taking you there.” Anna said as soon as they get inside.

The men laughed. “It’s alright. There are worse than this, trust me.” Nick said.

“Where are we going?” Marcus asked her.

“Let’s just go back to the hotel.” Anna told them.

Nick stared at her. “Are you sure? The night’s still young. We can still go to someplace else.” He’s worried too that he might be a boring date to her.

“I’m sure. I’ve read at the hotel’s lobby that it’s karaoke night at the bar. We can still enjoy the night without worrying too much about you.”

“I don’t have any problem. I’m fine. Is that what you really want?”

“Yes. And I know we will be having a great time.” Anna gave him an assuring smile. “Let’s go, Marcus. I’ll show you the way back.”



~~~



I’ve tried to go on like I never knew you.
I’m awake but my world is half-asleep




Nick chuckled as he listened to Anna singing his part of the Backstreet Boys song. He never thought that he will enjoy this part of the night with her. When she told them about going to the karaoke night at the hotel’s bar, he’s worried that he might not give her a good time. She may not want to go out with him again. But the moment they entered the bar about an hour ago, ordered some chips and soda, and Anna began to join the karaoke, he knew that he will never forget this night.

The people were cheering for Anna although she’s not exactly blessed with a good voice.



I prayed that my heart would be unbroken…



There were some groans among the crowd when she hit that tune. Nick chuckled again and glanced at Marcus who’s shaking his head. “At least, she tried.” He tells his bodyguard.

“She could use a help,” Marcus said with a joke. Nick stood up and asked for another microphone from the sound master. The crowd cheered when he joined Anna on stage.



Voices tell me I should carry on
But I am swimming in this ocean all alone




Anna tried not to laugh when she realized that Nick helped her on stage. She knew she’s not a good singer but she always enjoyed singing, just like any typical Filipino. Nick puts his arms on her shoulders as they sang in duet. They were given the applause when Nick sang solo at the chorus. His arms are still on her. They were already at the last part of the song. He turned to her.



But without you all I’m going to be is incomplete
Incomplete




As the piano ended the last notes of the song, Nick placed a kiss on her forehead. Anna knew she blushed. The people cheered and asked him to kiss her once more, this time will be on the lips. Before she can pull away, Nick gave her a quick smack on the lips. They went down the stage as the karaoke master looked for another volunteer to sing.

Anna pulled Nick’s sleeve when they are already sitting. “Don’t kiss me again.” She gave him a glare but she’s smiling.

“What? There’s nothing wrong with that.” Nick chuckled. Marcus excused himself and left the two.

“I know. It’s just that I’m not used to it.” Anna drinks her soda. “Are you having fun?”

“Let’s do it again.” Nick nodded to her. In an instant, Anna raised her hand to volunteer again. Nick couldn’t help but laugh.

 

 

Chapter 14 by scarlett

 

 

Nick just finished with the shower when he heard the constant knocking on the door. He put on some clothes first before answering it. The couple, AJ and Kaye, was standing at the hall. The rest of the group arrived that morning and went straight to the hotel to stay for a while before they go to the airport for their evening flight back to the States.

“You just woke up?” AJ asked and went in the room.

“Hey, are you looking for something?” Nick followed the couple. They amused him, seeing how they fit right to be together.

“Marcus said that you went out with Anna last night.” AJ said.

“Come on, AJ. I don’t go to bed with every woman I went out with,” Nick rolled his eyes. “And Anna is absolutely not the person I’d take advantage with.”

“Have you had a great time?” Kaye asked him.

“Yeah. We joined the karaoke night at the hotel’s bar. You should have seen us.” Nick’s eyes gleamed upon remembering the time he spent with Anna. “It’s like I don’t want to leave here. I want to see her again.”

AJ shakes his head. “Did she know that you like her? What did you tell her?”

“She couldn’t believe it, telling me that she’s far from my league, far from the women I’ve known and dated.” Nick let out a frustrated sigh. “How can I make her see that my intentions were clear? That I really like her? That I even want to help her out in finding a job in the States so that she can go there and I can see her anytime? We may have had a good time last night but there’s still a part of her that regards me as the celebrity. I hate to think about it.”

“Maybe you should not push things for now. Give her time to realize that you are serious. Remember that you have different cultures and that make the boundaries between you. Go home to the States right now but try to maintain the communication lines with her.” AJ said.

“I think there’s this tradition in this country where the women still wanted to be courted by the men who likes them. Why don’t you try it?” Kaye added.

Nick looked at the couple. “You see,” AJ started, “we talked to some people at the island about their cultures and tradition. To be able to show and prove that your intentions were clear, you must undergo a period of courtship where you shower her with love, care and gifts and also the time and opportunity to get to know more about each other. When she thinks that you’re worthy of all the attention and that she likes you too, then that’s the only time that you can call her yours. It’s not like ours where in just a series of dates, we are already a couple. They say that in this country, most women are modest and traditional. I think Anna would like to get to know you better before giving in to the fact that she likes you too.”

“There’s also this matter about Faye’s death. I overheard her talking with someone at the island about investigating on who plotted the bombing in her sister’s car.” Nick sits on the bed.

“Then that’s one of the reasons why she can’t commit to anything especially in a relationship with you, Nick.” Kaye tells him. “If I were Anna, I’d focus on the death of my sister first especially that it’s something that I have to do since we were apart for years due to family circumstances. You should understand that, Nick. Anna is bound to find the person responsible for her sister’s death.”

Nick stood up. “Thanks.” He smiled to them. “I know what to do now. Where’s Marcus?”

“Where are you going?” AJ followed his friend when Nick went out in the hall.

“I’m going to Anna’s office and will say goodbye.”



~~~



“Aimee, kindly fax this orders to…“ Regina stopped on her tracks when she saw the person in the reception area with her administrative assistant. Nick Carter just entered the office lobby and behind him is Marcus, his bodyguard. She knows because she’s a die-hard Backstreet Boys fan.

With all the composure she can manage, she went to Aimee and gave her some instructions about the fax. She tried not to shriek in delight and maintained a professional image in front of her favorite Backstreet Boy. Maybe, she can impress him with her business persona. Nick is much more adorable in person. She turned to him after talking with Aimee. “How may I help you, Sir?”

“You’re Regina, right? Anna’s boss?” Nick smiled and Regina almost melted with that simple gesture. This man doesn’t know what he does to her. And he knows her name!

“Yes, I am, Mr. Carter.” Regina extended her hand and Nick shook it. “Are you looking for Anna?”

“Yes, I’d like to speak with her, please.”

Regina turned to Aimee. She will never leave the reception area as long as Nick is here. “Kindly tell Anna that Mr. Carter is here.” She turned back to Nick. “May I have an autograph and a picture with you, Sir?”

Nick chuckled. “Sure and call me Nick, by the way.”



~~~



Anna is staring at the computer monitor and tried to remove the knowledge that Nick will be leaving tonight. She had a great time with him last night and she will never forget his goodbye kiss before they separated. It was at the corner of the bar where he took her before they go out. It’s just a soft nip on the lips but she will forever cherish it. She knew she can’t be with him. Aside from the fact that they’re from different worlds, she can’t leave unless she will find out the person responsible for her sister’s death.

She looked at the gallery pictures in her phone. She took it last night with Nick. She will never erase it, will even print out a copy of it for her keepsakes. It’s amazing that in just a short time of being with him and knowing him, she has fallen for him. And she never thought that he will feel the same way about her despite the fact that he seemed strict and arrogant at first to her. Or maybe it’s just a part of him to protect his feelings first and when he realized that his feelings for her are for real, he gave in and told it to her. She realized that Nick doesn’t take any preamble about his feelings. If he likes her, he will absolutely make it a point to let her know it.

“Anna, are you okay?”

“Huh?” Anna turned and saw Aimee. “Yes?”

“I said, he’s here. He’s looking for you. Don’t you even hear me?” Aimee gave her a teasing grin.

“I spaced out. I’m sorry. Who’s here?” Anna fixed the ponytail of her hair.

“Nick Carter.”

“Oh,” Anna felt her heart raced upon hearing that. “Do I look fine?”

“Pretty.” Aimee winked at her. “Go there now before Regina abuses him. You know how our boss is.”

Anna straightened her blouse and skirt first before going to the lobby. She caught sight of Regina and Nick being taken a picture by Marcus. The other employees were there too. When she got there, Nick smiled to her, finished the picture-taking first before everyone leaves them alone, except Regina. “May I excuse Anna for a while?” Nick asked her.

“Sure. She may take a day off for a while if you need her. It’s okay.” Regina smiled widely.

“Thanks, Regina. You’re the best.” Nick leaned to kiss her on the cheeks and takes Anna out towards the elevator. His hand firmly gripping hers. Anna mouthed a silent thanks to her boss before they went inside the elevator.

“You just gave Regina a most wonderful gift,” Anna chuckled. “It’s her birthday tomorrow. What are you doing here, anyway?”

“I’d like to say goodbye.” Nick said. When the elevator reached the ground floor and they were out on the streets, a van was already waiting for them. They went inside and it sped off. “I’m taking you out for one last lunch.”

“I already had lunch. It’s three pm.”

Nick looked at their hands. Marcus is sitting in front of the driver and that gives them privacy they need to talk. “I like you a lot, Anna. I will leave for now to go home but I will never forget you. I have your number and your email address. I will keep in touch, okay?” He looked at her. Anna nodded. “Thank you for being a friend to me.”

When Anna couldn’t help herself but pull him into an embrace, Nick silently thanked the Lord for that. “I like you, too, Nick. Maybe in time, there will be a chance between us. But for now, you already know where my priorities lie. I still have to resolve everything here. I can’t go on without finishing everything.”

“Don’t be so hard on yourself, Anna.” Nick kissed her on the forehead.

“But I need to do this, Nick.” Anna looked up to him and smiled. “I know you will understand.” And for the first time in her life, she’s given a kiss full of love and passion and something that she will never forget in her life.

 

Chapter 15 by scarlett

 

 

Nick looked around his house when he found it clean. He will keep in mind to give his housekeeper, Dinah, a bonus at the end of this month. He pulled his luggage bag inside the house and placed it straight to his closet, as well as his backpack. He will unpack later. No one met him at the airport, not even Aaron who just left for his new business venture. He heard his dogs barking at the other part of the house but ignored them. He’s sure that Dinah thoughtfully took care of his pets too. All he wanted to do now is to grab the phone and make a long distance call to Anna. He didn’t know what is it in her that makes him see the lighter side of being in a relationship again. She opened a new hope for him that being in a relationship doesn’t always end in bad breakups or scandals. He trusted Anna and that she can help make things right and in positive perspective for him.

Anna answered in just two rings. “Yes? Who’s this?”

“Guess who?” Nick chuckled. He missed her lips. He only got to kiss her once and it’s not enough. He realized that he likes to kiss her again and just hold her in his arms. It seems like it’s the only right place he needs to be in this world.

“I’m sorry but I’m not in the mood with the guessing games. I’m busy and I’m tired,” was the snob reply.

Nick frowned. “Hey, Ms. Grouch. This is Nick. What happened?”

There was a moment of silence on the other line. He wished he knew what’s going on. He heard her sighed. “I’m sorry, Nick. I just had a hard day and I’m tired. Do you realize what time are you calling here in our country?”

“Would you believe that I’m not exactly the honor student in geography class?”

Anna groaned on the other line. “Sorry, Nick. It’s evening here. How are you?” The affection in her voice came and Nick began to smile again.

“I just got home and I called you as soon as I found the phone. I miss you.”

“I miss you, too.” They made a mutual understanding about having a distant relationship since both of them have a deep affection towards each other. Nick is proud to call her his. They would like to try on having this long-distance relationship although they know that there may be circumstances that would come their way and may test the bond of their relationship. Nick also wanted to keep it private too since he doesn’t want her to be put under the scrutiny of the press most especially that he wasn’t around to protect her. Keeping it a secret is the best thing they can do right now about their relationship. “Maybe in time, Nick, I can go there or you may go back here.” Anna added.

“There will always be a way. It’s not that complicated.” Nick assured her.

“Did you already eat?” Anna asked him.

“We went to a restaurant first when we arrived before spreading out to different directions,” he chuckled. “I’m just alone here in the house. My brother sent a text message earlier that he’s leaving for work. Incredibly, the place is clean. I still haven’t checked on the dogs though but I think they’re fine. My ever-reliable housekeeper has done a wonderful job here.” He lies on the sofa. “What about you? How’s your day?”

“I’m fine. Since Faye’s death, I was given the assignment to stay here and rather be behind the productions of the travel show.”

“Don’t you like it?”

Anna drew a deep breath. “I can do it. It’s just that my nature is to really go around different places and tell the people on the stories about it, just like I did to you. That pretty much interests me.”

“I think that the management did it out of concern. Knowing about what happened to Faye, they’re just protecting you. Even I am worried, Anna. I don’t want to think that someone might go after you and tried to kill you just to get revenge from your father.” Nick closed his eyes and prayed that Anna will be alright until the time that he’ll see her again.

“If I don’t get to him first,” he heard her reply. Nick opened his eyes with that reply and sat back on his couch.

“What? What do you mean? Anna, don’t do things that might harm you. Please.” He realized that his girlfriend can be stubborn if she wanted to get things done her way, especially to the things that she’s firmly devoted to.

“Don’t worry, Nick. I’ll be alright.” Anna replied on the other line. He can sense that she’s smiling by the way she talks on the phone. But his thoughts never ceased on her plans in finding justice for her sister’s death.

“Anna…”

“Trust me, Nick.” Anna said. Nick stared at the center table for a while, feeling the presence of Anna on the other line. “Nick? Answer me. Trust me. I promise I won’t do any harm.”

Nick shakes his head and sighed in surrender. “Yes, I trust you.” He lies back on the couch. “I trust that you won’t do anything stupid. Please remember that I’m here and if there’s any thing that you wanted to tell me, any advice that you wanted to seek or just any thing, call me or email me. I’m just here, okay? Don’t make me worried, please?”

“Okay, promise.”

Nick begins to smile again. It just feels good to have this chance to talk with her. “So, anyway, I have to tell you about this MySpace account that I had. You see…”



~~~



“How’s your trip? Was it great?” BJ asked her brother as she starts to prepare another dish for dinner. Nick called earlier and affectionately wanting her presence at the house. She gave in, knowing how she actually loves and cares for her brother. She even granted his request to prepare their dinner.

“It’s okay. The people were great. The beach was great. The food was great. We can go there sometime, you know.” Nick carefully placed the ingredients that his sister instructed him to prepare on a plate and segregated each kind. “What about you? Are you really considering that application you submitted in that school?”

BJ smiled. She took the plate from him. “I want to have a career, Nick. You inspired me a lot.”

“You know, sometimes, during the time when we’re just starting that show, I was in doubt if we’d even finish one season. I mean, it’s hard to renew the bond since it’s been a long time that we were together.” Nick tells his sister. He produced a reality show featuring him and his siblings a few months ago. It may have started roughly but in the end, their relationship as siblings went strong. And that’s been his plan all along. He couldn’t think of any other way either.

“But it’s a great experience, Nick.” BJ lowers the fire and let her dish simmer for a while and sits on a stool beside her brother. “We had differences but we’re able to settle it.” She takes his mobile phone. “I thought you’re going to change this.”

Nick looked at his phone. “I changed my mind. It’s not practical anyway. It’s more important that I have a phone where I can monitor you or Leslie or Angel,” he grinned.

BJ rolled her eyes. She started browsing the phone’s menu. “Angel’s in Florida, by the way.”

“Work?” Nick asked her. BJ only nodded in reply. “Sometimes I think that she and Aaron should have gone to school but they have other priorities now.”

“Just let them be to where they are happy with right now,” BJ told him. She looked at him. “Who’s this?”

“Huh?” Nick looked at the phone when she showed it to him. It’s a picture of him and Anna that was stored in his phone’s gallery. He smiled. “She’s my girl.” He said that with pride.

“Where did you meet her?” BJ raised an eyebrow and browsed for more pictures. Then she set it down and went back to the stove.

“In the Philippines,” Nick replied. He began to tell his sister on everything about Anna and how it all started.

“That’s ridiculous, man! You just met, regardless if she’s a daughter of a senator. You don’t even know when you will see each other again.” BJ said, shaking her head. She turned to him. “What were you thinking?”

“What do you mean?”

“Do you think that a relationship with her will work? Come on, Nick. I know you. You’re afraid of commitments even marriage. Now you’re telling me that you’re serious with that woman?” BJ rolled her eyes.

“Her name is Anna, remember that.” Nick stood up. “Besides, she changed my outlook. I like her. In fact, I think that I love her. And I don’t care if you don’t approve of this.” He went out of the kitchen.

BJ followed her brother with a look. She didn’t mean anything about not approving on his relationship with Anna. She’s just concerned. As a caring sister, she witnessed how Nick suffered with his bad relationships. She only doesn’t want to let anyone hurt her brother again. Unknown to Nick, she and her sisters agreed that they will protect their eldest brother from any woman who will try to get near him just to use him. If Nick loves to play the protector to them, they will do the same to him. Leslie and Angel should know about this Anna. They’re not going to intervene. They only wanted to make sure that Nick is going out with a good woman. That’s the only important thing for them.

BJ walked towards the counter and picked up Nick’s phone that he left there. She browsed for messages and luckily found Anna’s on it. She copied the number on her phone and placed the phone back to where it should be.

 

 

Chapter 16 by scarlett

 

 

Nick chuckled when he successfully made a pigeon out of paper after a little boy taught him how. The boy is the son of one of the sound engineers in the studio who is there and waiting for his father. While waiting, he focused himself on making origami.

“Wow!” AJ picks up the paper bird and threw it in the air. “It won’t fly,” he said when the paper fell down.

Nick rolled his eyes. “Of course. Hey, did the food already arrive?” It’s already lunchtime and they are currently in the studio to do a demo recording for their new album. They ordered some food delivery and it hasn’t arrived yet.

“Not yet, I’m hungry.” AJ picked up the bird and sits beside the kid whose name is Sean. “I think there’s a way to make a dinosaur out of this. Did you know how, Sean?”

Sean smiled and began taking another piece of paper. He’s deaf and mute and origami is one of the things he enjoyed doing most. Whenever he’s in the studio and the Backstreet Boys happen to be there, they would usually spend their free time with the kid, just like now. In a matter of minutes, Sean showed AJ his artwork. He made hand gestures telling the older man that he can have the dinosaur.

“Thank you,” AJ made a hand sign to Sean. He kissed the kid on the forehead. “The food is not yet here. Are you hungry?” he asks. Sean nodded. He may not hear AJ but he can read lips. They turned when Brian loudly announced that the food has arrived as he made his way inside the pantry. He, Howie and Kevin brought along the take-out food while the other men in the studio followed them inside. Nick immediately takes his order and sits back beside Sean. He just took a sip on his soda when his mobile phone rang.

“Tell Anna I said hi,” AJ tells him.

Nick gave him a look of wonder. “How did you know that it’s her?”

“I saw her at the caller ID. That’s her.”

Nick shakes his head as he went out of the pantry, leaving instructions that no one should touch his food. He answered Anna’s call. “Yes, baby. How are you?” He said as soon as he’s out of the guys’ earshot. They will tease him by how mushy he can be but he actually didn’t care. He just wanted to have his privacy whenever he will talk to Anna. They already know about his relationship with her and they promised never to tell anyone about it.

“I’m fine, just checking on how you are doing today.” Anna replied. “How are you? It’s evening here.”

“And what are you wearing, baby?”

Anna laughed on the other line. “Nick! Stop that. I’m not going to have phone sex with you,” there’s her laugh again. Nick couldn’t help it but laugh too. He’s always been teasing her about it. “Anyway, the reason I called is because I want to know if you already eat. I saw you on TV with the other guys and you seemed to have lost weight.”

“Don’t you like it?”

“It’s better that you lose some but you looked so tired. Are you still having some rest?”

Nick felt the concern in her voice and he smiled. It’s been a long time since someone really cared and tried to watch over him. He wished that she’s near so that he can care for her more than he’s trying to. “Yes, I still have lots of time to rest. Don’t worry though, Anna. This is part of my job. I’m used to this. How about you? Did you already found a lead on who would’ve plotted on your sister’s tragedy?”

“Nothing as of this moment but I won’t lose hope, Nick.” Anna sighed. “I missed you, baby.”

“I wish you’re here. I have lots of things in mind if you’re only here. I’ll take you to different places, let you try some food, introduce you to my friends and even to my family.” Nick sighed, too. He entered an empty conference room where he can have more privacy to talk with his girlfriend. “There’ll be a way, baby. Just be patient. When I found free time from work, I’ll go there to visit you. Or you may go here to visit me.”



~~~



Anna closed her eyes as she listens to Nick on the other line. “I wished you’d hold me tight in your arms and just sit right beside you. We didn’t spend most of the time that we have together and I regret that I took it for granted. We could’ve had at least a number of memories together. We could have had lots of time to talk and get to know about each other like the fact that I don’t like red roses because it seemed cliché or that I love being around children.”

“Yes, we could have known a lot about each other like as much as I love to write, I also read a lot of books.” Nick tells her, “or the fact that I’d also like to try my chance to be an actor.”

“Oh, I saw The Hollow, by the way,” Anna said. “Intin has a DVD and lent me her copy last week. You need more exposure, baby. You have the talent.”

“Thanks, baby.” Nick smiled. “How are Intin and their group, by the way?”

“They’re having this event next month but before that, they are going to be featured in a magazine here in Manila. I’ll send you a copy so that you, guys, can see. It’s gonna be great. It’s about their unusual friendship that was bonded only by the same interest and passion to music, most especially to the Backstreet Boys. You should be proud of them, Nick. They’re doing a lot to promote you here. I think they’re amazing. I sometimes think that they perform better here than on their own careers.” Anna chuckled.

“Really? They’ve done a lot of labor of love for us, baby. I’ll keep in mind to put them in my thank you note on the next album. Surely, they still didn’t know about us, eh?”

“No idea,” Anna replied. “I felt guilty sometimes, especially when I hear Intin told me about your past girlfriends and how lucky your next one is going to be since you may have already learned from the lessons you’ve had. Did you?” There was a pause. She wanted to bring it up, to know what he will say about it. Sometimes, she still thinks if they’re doing the right thing. She’s thinking if being in this relationship is a good decision for both of them. It still overwhelms her sometimes that a famous guy like Nick would be her boyfriend, even in a most unusual way.

“I knew better now, Anna.” She heard him reply. There was silence on the other line. Nick thought she’s fallen asleep when it's just that, she only didn’t know what to answer. “Are you still there, baby?”

“I just don’t know what to say. What do you mean by that?”

“To tell you the truth, baby, that before, I was more concerned about the benefits I’d get when I’m in a relationship. I was selfish and probably that’s why although they’ve had a special place in my heart, my relationships with them failed.”

And what about with me? Anna wanted to ask that but couldn’t voice it out. “Do you think you’ve changed?” she asked instead.

“Would you believe me when I tell you that when I met you, I was curious and interested? I began to weigh out the ideals I had about being in a relationship because I found the right woman for me, someone who’d understand me despite of my shortcomings, someone who’d stick me through the things I’ve been through and will be going through and someone of whom not can only be my friend but also a partner who I can spend a lot of time with just being me, the real person that is Nick Carter. You’re that person, and more. And I think that I’m also the right person for you.” Nick finished. “Do you understand that, baby?”

“Yes.”

“Thank you, baby,” Nick said with so much affection. “I wish I’m there to just hold you tight and watch you sleep in my arms.” Anna smiled but there were tears in her eyes. She sniffed. “Are you crying, baby?”

“You touched my heart so deeply tonight, Nick. Thanks for choosing and trusting me to be part of your life.”

“Now, we’re getting mushy.” Nick said and they chuckled. “Anyway, I cared a lot about you, baby. Take care of yourself until we see each other again. Just hold on, I’ll be there as soon as I can.”

“I think I will wait a little longer. You’re busy and so am I. I understand.”

Nick closed her eyes. “Yeah,” he sighed. “You need to sleep now, baby. I understand that it’s evening there.”

“Okay, I’ll sleep now. I still have to be early tomorrow.”

“Okay, I’ll call you. I promise,” Nick replied. “Good night, baby. Sweet dreams, sleep tight.”

“Take care of yourself, baby. I love you.” Anna hung up the phone. She’s just about to place it on her side table when it’s blinking for another call. She thought that it’s Nick but the caller ID doesn’t say anything but simply indicates ‘Private Number.’ She answered it. “Yes? Who is this?”

There’s a momentary pause on the other line before somebody answered. “This is BJ, Nick’s sister.”

 

 

End Notes:

thanks for reading. ;)

 

Chapter 17 by scarlett

 

 

Anna held her breath when she heard that response. Intin told her once about Nick’s sisters, where they are and what they are doing and how their brother played his role to them very well. Nick might have told them about her and they are now trying to get to know their brother’s girlfriend.

“Are you still there?” BJ asked.

“Yes, I’m here. Hi, I’m Anna.” She bit her lower lip. What do they want from her?

“I know, Nick told me. Actually, he told me a lot about you ever since he came back here. How are you?” There was cheerfulness in BJ’s voice. Anna held her guard. As Intin told her, Nick’s sisters were very fond of their brothers and how they became protective of Nick since the last scandal he had from his ex-girlfriend.

“I’m fine, doing well. And you? How are you and your sisters? I just got through talking with Nick before you called. I’m surprised.” She admitted.

“We’re fine.” BJ said on the other line. “Nick’s in the studio with the guys. I’ll be meeting him tomorrow because we’re flying to Florida to see Angel and Aaron.”

“How did you get my number?”

“I took it from Nick’s phone when he wasn’t around.” There was a chuckle on the other line. “I was curious,” was the direct reply. “My brother’s talking a lot about you and he had this stupid look and a mushy grin on his face. I and my sisters and Aaron already knew about you and as Nick told us, we promised not to tell anyone. Are you sure about this, Anna? I mean, it’s a long-distance relationship plus you’re from different cultures. Don’t you find it hard?”

“No. I love your brother.”

“I’m a very frank person, Anna. I hope you’re sincere. I hope that you’re far from the women he’s dated in the past. He had enough and we’re not going to let it happen again. Excuse me but I’m just concerned…”

“It’s okay. I understand. Nick and I were actually just talking about it earlier. He said that he learned a lot from the past and that he cared a lot about me. I feel the same way, too. And I’m not going after anything about him, like his fame or money. I’m just a simple person, BJ. My happiness lies in the simplicity of things. My parents may have deprived me the feeling of being in a family but I won’t let it get into me. If they don’t like me, I’ll move on with my life. Nick gives me the feeling of having someone who cares about me and I appreciate it so much. I’m not a fan, BJ.”

“Yeah, he told me that particularly,” BJ added.

“Yes, and I’ve told him on the first time that he said that he likes me a lot that I’m far from his league.”

“That’s crazy. That’s unfair, Anna. What league are you talking about? Nick may be a celebrity here but he’s just like any other person. I know that. I’m his sister.”

“Yes, I know. Nick got mad when I said that. You can’t blame me, BJ. We’re different. I’m just some unknown girl and he’s this big-shot celebrity. We’re of different cultures. I tried to explain it to him and he understood. We tried to get to know each other when he asked me out for dinner. From there, I came to realize that yeah, he’s just like any other ordinary man.”

“How are you going to see each other again? I heard that you have a job that always keeps you busy.”

“We don’t know, BJ, actually. Right now, we’re just taking baby steps at a time in this relationship. We’re still trying to get to know more about each other. We understand each other and both our situation. As Nick said, maybe in the right time, we’ll see each other again. But for now, we’re trying to be content that we have each other, we cared a lot for each other even though we’re far apart. As weird as it may be, we’re content on this kind of relationship right now.” Anna didn’t know where she get the courage to tell that to Nick’s sister but she thinks that BJ has the right to know to real deal about their relationship. It may sound weird and unusual for some people but she and Nick were contented in this arrangement for now. They didn’t know what the future holds for them; they’re not looking forward for anything yet. To have each other is the only thing that is important for now.

“Well, I hope things will work out well for you and Nick. And I hope we can meet you someday. The pictures in his phone are not enough,” BJ chuckled. Anna blushed. Nick’s sister can be a little naughty when she wants to.

“He showed it to you?”

“We sneaked on his phone and looked at you.” BJ replied. “Angel, being Nick’s favorite sister,” there’s another chuckle on that, “wants to see you and will fly to your country if only she could. She’s protective over Nick, more than we do. Be careful of her.”

“Did she get my number, too?”

“Yes.”

“Then I’ll wait for the time that she’ll call me.” Anna chuckled. She didn’t know why she’s enjoying this conversation with BJ as the time goes by. Maybe because Nick’s sister made her feel comfortable but still there’s an insinuation that she’s also being protective of her brother and at the same time, she showed respect to their relationship. She appreciates that. She hopes that the rest of Nick’s siblings would be like BJ so that when the media finds out about her, there are people she can turn to for advices on how to deal with them. Being in a relationship with Nick is a big risk but she will try to overcome whatever hardships that will come their way. She would like to be ready for that.



~~~



Nick was laughing when he and his friends went out of a restaurant in LA. They were immediately met by the waiting paparazzi outside and flashes of light started. Nick sighed inwardly. This is one of the things that he doesn’t want Anna to go through but he knew that once they learn about her, she will receive a great deal of attention whether she likes it or not. For now, he’s happy that they were still able to keep their relationship a secret.

“Hi, Nick.” One paparazzo said as the cameras flicked.

“How’s the new album going?”

“Fine,” he only replied with a smile. He stopped with his friends as they waited for their other companion who was still inside the restaurant. Two fans came and asked for his autograph and pictures in which he complied. He smiled at them after that. His friend finally came out of the restaurant and they started towards his car. The paparazzi continue to take pictures of him. He knew it will worsen when he saw a familiar car stopped in front of him. The rider must have not seen him as she went out of the car. Laila Newton, his last girlfriend, who only went out with him to get attention from the media for her plans to be famous.

Laila was surprised to see him when she went out of her car. She looked at Nick for a moment and before she knew it, Nick turned away and walked with his friends. She heard him laughing with them, as if she’s being laughed at. The paparazzi continually took pictures of her. Others followed Nick to his car.

“How does it feel seeing her again, Nick?”

“No comment,” Nick smiled to them and went to the driver’s seat. It actually doesn’t matter to him if he saw Laila again, together with her new boyfriend, a film producer. This is one of those moments when he wished he could tell the world about his girlfriend but he chose not to. Anna deserves her privacy and he wanted it that way.

 

 

Chapter 18 by scarlett

 

 

Anna looked at her watch and sighed. She’s expecting the call from the hired investigator any moment. She received the email that there’s an important matter that she has to know about Faye’s case. For now, she’s in a coffee shop in a business district in Manila with Intin, who is busy browsing on the internet through her laptop.

“Oh my,” Intin muttered.

Anna curiously looked at the laptop. “What?” She saw a page where Nick just came out from the restaurant and standing face to face with the new actress, Laila Newton. Jealousy overwhelmed her as she thinks about the times that they could have been together and the people know about their relationship.

“It’s Laila, Nick’s ex-girlfriend,” Intin replied and began telling her about the story between the two. Anna only half-listened to Intin as she reads the article. She smiled when she read the last part. ‘Nick doesn’t care about the unexpected meeting when he shrugged it off and continued to walk off with his friends, even laughing as if what happened was only a joke and nothing mattered to him anymore. Laila, on the other hand, was frowning and immediately went inside the restaurant to avoid the media frenzy.’ Nick still hasn’t called her since the last time she talked with BJ. Maybe he’s busy with the making of their new album.

“What are you smiling at?” Intin asks her.

“Nothing, I’m just smiling. Should there be a reason?”

“You’ve been interested about Nick lately. Is he courting you? Did you exchange numbers and he’s calling you?”

Anna looked at her friend. “Yes, he’s calling me but that’s because we chose to be friends. Is there any problem with that? And no, I’m not going to give you his number.” She added when she saw Intin pouted. She knew that Nick gave Intin his number but he changed it as soon as he got back to the States. “That’s just it, Intin.” She avoided her eyes because she really feels guilty about this.

“And you kept on glancing on your phone because you’re expecting him to call you anytime now…”

“No, I’m expecting the investigator to call me because he said that he finally has the lead on the death of my sister,” Anna replied. She felt her friend’s hand on hers.

“I’ve been hoping that you will get through it soon because I don’t want you holding back yourself from anything that you wanted to do because you wanted to finish that thing about your sister, Anna.” Intin said.

“Thanks,” Anna smiled and nodded. She wanted to tell the truth to her friend about her and Nick. She hates to lie, especially to this person of whom she considered to be one of her best friends. She knows Nick will understand. Anyway, he already told his siblings about them. “Listen, Intin…” Just then, the phone rang. Her heart raced when she read the caller ID. “Norman, what’s up?”

Intin watched as Anna’s face contorted into a deep frown. Her heart is beating fast from the anticipation to know who might have the lead on Faye’s death. She saw Anna’s tears began to fall. “Please, Norman. Kindly submit the reports to me tomorrow morning and I’d like to see you, too. I need you to do something about this.” She heard Anna said. What’s going on?

The call ended so soon. Intin stared at her friend. “What happened?”

“It was a family quarrel years ago that compelled one of my uncles to try to sabotage my dad and hired someone to plant the bomb. It wasn’t intended for Faye. The plan backfired when she suddenly decided to come home and the car was used to pick her up. It was intended for my father, Intin. Faye was the victim.”

“Did your father know about this?”

Anna shrugged. “I still have to know tomorrow. Norman doesn’t talk on the phone for long. He only told me briefly about the investigation. We will talk tomorrow.” She gripped her phone in hand. She wanted to call Nick and tell him what happened. Hearing his voice somehow provides comfort in her and she never thought that she’d look for that in a man. She wanted to talk to Nick. She stood up. “Excuse me, Intin. I just have to make an important call.”

Intin only nodded and watched her go out of the coffee shop.

Anna found a cozy spot in the park facing the coffee shop and sat on one of the benches. It’s quiet and she needs that to have a nice, long talk with Nick. There were four rings before he answered her call. “Hi, what’s up?” She could hear noises in the background.

“Where are you, Nick?”

“I’m at the red carpet for a celebration of nature foundation with Kevin. I told you that, remember? Hang up while I go and find a quiet spot. I’ll call you.” Nick said and ended the call. Anna tried to imagine Nick on a red carpet. What could he be wearing, a suit? She smiled at that thought. It took her to wait for almost fifteen minutes until her phone rang and Nick is calling.

“Sorry, I just have to answer some interviews and make a discreet exit at the parking lot. I’m in Kevin’s car right now. How are you?” Nick said. There’s silence in the background. Surely, Nick really took the effort to go to some place to have a private conversation with her.

“I’m fine and you? You seemed to go out a lot lately, huh?”

“It’s part of the schedule that was given by our publicist, Anna.”

“Intin showed me the article about you meeting Laila.” Anna said. There was silence.

“So, you’ve seen that. You should have known what Brent has told us as we walked towards my car that night.” She heard him chuckled.

“What?”

“He farted right in front of Laila and the paparazzi. Our meeting was publicized but never the bad odor. Could you imagine that? That should do something for my reputation but they didn’t include that.” They laughed. Anna knows she can trust him. “Anyway, I know that you won’t call me without the intent of telling me something important, especially tonight when you know that I’m attending this charity party and you forgot about it.”

“Nick, I already knew the person who led my sister to death.”

“Really? Who?” There was a sudden urgency and concern in Nick’s voice.

“My uncle,” Anna replied. There was silence between them until Nick broke it.

“Are you alright? What are you going to do?”

“The full investigative report will be at my desk tomorrow morning. The only thing that I think I can do here is that to confront my uncle. Afterwards, I’d like to talk to my dad, too. And I’d like someone to go to jail, either of them will do.”

“Anna…” Nick sensed the anger and the sorrow in her voice. It frustrates him to have the need of wanting to pull her in his arms but they are very far apart from each other to do that.

“…Or both of them may go to jail, whichever comes first. I don’t care. Faye didn’t deserve to die like that.”

“Anna, you should think about the consequences of what you want to happen and what you are going to do. That is a very complicated matter,” Nick said. For a moment, there was silence. “Okay, this weekend, I’ll go there. I will see you. We’ll get through this together.”

“No, I’ll be fine, Nick. You should consider yourself, too. Even if you fly here, do you think you can help? You can’t even stay long. You have a job and your friends need you. And then the media will find out about us.”

“Damn the media, Anna! I want to see you!”

“Please, Nick, not now. It will be harder if you’ll be here,” Anna replied.

Nick frowned. “You mean, I’m a nuisance to you. You really don’t want me around, do you? You don’t trust me to handle this situation about us if I go there to see you.” His tone turned hard.

Anna’s eyes filled with tears by the way Nick thinks about their situation. “Excuse me, wait a minute. I’m not saying or implying that you’re a nuisance or that I don’t trust you. Please understand that I’m only concerned about us, most especially to you because you have your stable career and I don’t want you to do something that may affect it. And Nick, I belonged in a family of politicians. I know how this kind of situation works and it’s dangerous. Faye’s tragedy is proof enough of that. I don’t want you to get involved in this mess.”

“You don’t know how much I wanted to see you. I’m sorry, Anna. I just really want to see you again.”

“I feel the same way, Nick. Stop pushing on the matter of being here.” Anna sighed. “By the way, there’s also this matter that I’d like to deal with you.”

“What about?” Nick asked quietly.

“How come that your sisters and brother know about us and I didn’t even tell any one of my friends here?” Anna could imagine him biting his lower lip at her unexpected confrontation. They have an agreement of secrecy and she should be mad. But after BJ’s call and realized that they can be trusted, she didn’t find any reason to be mad. She’s actually thankful that they know and they are ready to stick with Nick through everything about them.

“BJ found out about you when she browsed my phone,” Nick defensively replied, “I didn’t have the chance to deny because she saw our pictures. You know, the part that we’re cuddling in AJ’s hotel room sofa…” he stopped. “Wait. How did you find out?”

“She called me. She’s wise enough to sneak on your phone that you must have just left lying around there and got my number. Even Angel knows about it, too.”

“Angel! Fuck…”

“Hey, bad words.”

“Sorry, baby,” Nick quickly replied. “Anyway, beware of Angel. She’s really protective of me. She drove me mad sometimes.”

“I know,” Anna is smiling, amused at Nick’s panic on the other line.

“Wait. What are the other things did BJ tell you?” Nick is now smiling too.

“Well, let me see…” Anna paused, “BJ said you peed in your pants when you’re about to go to school once and that you like to pick your nose, roll the booger in between your fingers and just snap it anywhere.”

“Hey, that’s not true!” Nick is laughing.

So does Anna. “Anyway, Nick, I want you to promise me something.”

“What?”

“I need you to trust me on what I’m about to do here and that you will never go here until things are resolved. I don’t want you to get involved.”

“But I want to be beside you throughout your ordeal,” Nick answered immediately, “You should know that I never leave any one during hard times, Anna, most especially you.”

Anna sighed heavily. “Why is it hard for me to convince you? Don’t be stubborn, Nick. Stay there until I’m done, okay? Do you understand?” There was silence. “Nick?”

“Y-yes, baby.”

End Notes:

thanks for reading. ;)

 

Chapter 19 by scarlett

 

 

“Is he alright?” Kristin whispered to her husband when she met Kevin in the hallway. A day after the charity event is Kevin’s birthday and he organized a party in his house where his friends attended.

“Who?” Kevin smiled and wrapped his arms around his wife, pulling her closer.

“Nick.”

“Nick?” Kevin turned to where Nick is. He saw the young guy sitting on one of the bar stools and taking shots of some alcoholic drink that the bartender is serving him. He did not even join their other friends who are having fun at the poolside. “He’s been like that after he spoke with Anna last night.”

“Do you think they broke up? I’m only concerned. I already told the bartender to avoid Nick when he asks for another shot again.” Kristin turned back to Nick. “He used to be the life of the party but…” she stopped when Nick stood up and began mingling around. Later, he went out to join their other friends.

“Alright, I’ll check on him,” Kevin brushed his wife’s hair aside, “You’re sounding like a big sister to him now, huh?”

Kristin smiled. “That’s because I married his big brother,” they kissed and then, Kevin went out. Kristin began to go around too, but she’s still keeping a watchful eye on the guy she considered to be her younger brother.



~~~



Nick laughed at what Darren is telling him. His friend just dared him to go over a woman with the red hair and try to get a date from her.

AJ shakes his head. “Nick, I’m telling you…” He warned him. But Nick is already drunk and he’s been talking a lot ever since he left the bar and joined them a few minutes ago.

“I won’t just date her, I’ll sleep with her, too,” Nick laughed and so did Darren. When Nick walked towards the woman, AJ can only stare. He’d like to stop his friend but he doesn’t want to embarrass Nick in front of their friends as if Nick can’t manage on his own and AJ is acting very much like a big brother to him. He watched as Nick approached the woman.

“Hi, are you Kevin’s friend?”

“Uh, no. I’m Kristin’s friend. We used to be room mates in college,” the woman replied with a smile.

Older woman, nice, Nick thought. “My name is Nick.”

“Venice,” they shook hands.

Oh, great. Another city name, Nick blinked a few times as alcohol sets in him. “Do you want to hang out after Kevin’s party?”

“Where are we going?”

“Well,” Nick shrugged, “go for some coffee perhaps and chat,” he winked at her.

“Sure.”

AJ shakes his head again as he watched Nick exchanged phone numbers. He need to pull Nick out and remind him about Anna. Stupid guy. He’s looking for trouble. He saw his younger ‘brother’ already whispering sweet nothings to the woman and moving closer to her. Darren and the other guys, who didn’t even know that Nick already had a girlfriend, were exchanging high fives. His eyes widened when he saw the arrival of some media. Surely, Anna will know about this through the internet, or Intin. He started towards Nick.

“AJ,” somebody called and saw their manager, Kenneth, coming his way.

“Huh?”

“I’ll just give you this,” Kenneth gave him a CD, “you left your demo in the studio.”

“Oh, yes. Thanks, man.” AJ turned back to Nick and saw him already posing with the photographers. His arms are around the woman. He decided to call him to get him away. “Nick! Nick!”

Nick saw AJ waving. He excused himself from Venice. “What? Any problem?”

“Yeah, what about Anna? Your girlfriend?” AJ quietly hissed.

That’s when Nick seemed to finally wake up. “Oh, man!” he groaned. He ran his fingers through his hair. “I’ll go to Venice and cancel our date.” He shakes his head. “Thanks, man. I’m just frustrated and occupied, I guess.”

AJ rolled his eyes. “That’s no excuse.” When Nick didn’t reply, he continued, “she’s too far away, eh?” His friend only nodded in reply. “Any lead on Faye’s death?”

“Their uncle,” Nick met AJ’s look.

“Whoa! Really?” AJ quietly exclaimed. “What happens now?”

“She’ll confront them,” Nick sighed. “It worried me, AJ. It frustrates me. I want to go there but she doesn’t want me to. She’s concerned about our privacy and my safety. It’s something about their politics. She doesn’t want me to get involved with the mess,” he looked around and no one seemed to mind them now. He turned back to AJ. “I hate it, you know? I’m here and I can’t do anything to help her out.”

“That’s because you can’t really do anything. She knows what you are and she wants to protect you, Nick. You’ve got to understand that,” AJ sniffed. “And why are you trying to get drunk, huh?”

Nick drew a deep breath. Without any word, he left AJ. His friend shakes his head. Nick can be like that sometimes, walking away from something he doesn’t want to deal with. Someday, the younger man will have to deal in facing the consequences if he keeps up with that kind of attitude.



~~~



Anna clasped her hand together to keep it from trembling. She’s nervous on what will be the turnout of her plans on confrontation. She didn’t even know if the people she invited will come today. She invited her father, through a letter she sent to his secretary, and his uncle, verbally on the phone. She simply told them about dinner and neither knew that the brothers will see each other and Anna has prepared something for them.

“Stop it. Oh, God…” Anna muttered. She drinks her glass of water. She held her breath when the door opened. Her uncle Thomas came in. She reserved a small conference area in an exclusive restaurant where she can make the confrontation with the two men. “Hi, uncle Tom. How are you?” She didn’t move from her seat and just offered him a chair near hers.

“I’m fine. I’ve been wondering why you want to have a dinner with me tonight.” Thomas sits down.

“I think you know,” Anna only replied.

“I don’t understand.”

Anna stared at her uncle. Her heart is beating faster now. The door opened again and it’s now her father who arrived. The two men were surprised to see each other, Senator John Gomez turned to Anna. “What’s the meaning of this, Anna?”

“I’m glad that you came, Dad. Have a seat and let’s have dinner.” She tried to appear calm amidst the fact that she wished that it’s over now. Neither of the men moved. She cleared her throat. She decided to just continue with the agenda. “I know what caused my sister’s death.” She looked at her uncle who only returned the look. But when she turned to her father, the senator looked away. “You already knew, Dad?” Her eyes flared with silent anger.

“No. Why would I already know when I’m still waiting for that case?” John Gomez replied with a question.

“I don’t believe you. You already know and you’re hiding the fact to everyone.” Anna countered.

Thomas cleared his throat. “Is this what the meeting is all about? What am I doing here, Anna?”

Anna stood up and slammed her fist on the table. “Don’t play games with me! I know that both of you have something to do with Faye’s death. Your political bickering and sibling rivalry led to her death.” Her chest was heaving fast now. The two men only gave her expressionless looks. She hates it when they do that. Being lawyers and political figures gave them the ability to show composure despite of anything. “I know everything. Uncle Tom planted a bomb in that car that was supposed to be used by Dad. You didn’t expect that it would be used to pick-up Faye at the airport who decided to went home unexpectedly too, because of her pregnancy. It was too late to realize that and Faye was already dead.” Tears fell down her face and she quickly wiped it away.

John pulled his brother by the collar of its shirt. “Damn you!”

But Thomas is only laughing. “Stop the charade, John. Your daughter is as smart as I really thought that she is. She already got us. Both of us are guilty.”

The brothers stared at each other for a while before John pushed Thomas away. He turned to Anna. “What do you want? What are you going to do now?”

The question already affirmed the truth, Anna realized. She will never let this thing passes by. “Justice. I want justice for my sister.”

John smirked. “You will make us go to the police? Do you realize how it will cause you?”

“I know you won’t do that. But I will have my way. I will make sure that both of you will go to jail,” Anna answered her father. “You won’t get away with this.”

“We’re family, Anna.” Thomas asked her, his arms across his chest. “Are you going to sacrifice that bond?”

“You won’t ask me that if you’re not guilty but you are.” Anna saw the exchanged looks between her father and uncle. “And it seems that you know about this all along. How could you do this? Don’t you even felt guilty that my sister died because of you? Or you just don’t feel anything at all? You’re both scum and I won’t let this thing pass!”

“Watch your mouth, young woman!” John warned her.

“I am, that’s why I’m telling you that, dad,” Anna emphasized the last word. “For years, you haven’t been a father to me because I’m the rebellious one. I don’t follow your rules because I can’t do it. I knew the kind of man that you are and you’re afraid to let me see the rest of it that’s why you kicked me out of the house and sent Faye to the States. You want more power and money and those are one of the reasons that you and uncle Tom are fighting about. You were both greedy! You –“ She stopped and stepped back when she saw her father walked towards her. “No! You’re not going to slap me again! Anything that you do to me will be turned against you. I got it all planned.” It was her turn to grin when she saw the stunned faces from the two men. “That’s it, behave. And thanks for coming.” She quickly went out.

Her pace was fast as she went out of the restaurant and into the waiting van of her friend, Ivan. There’s also a police investigator who taped all the conversation she had with her father and uncle in the conference area. She planned everything.

“Anna…” Ivan opened his arms to his friend.

Anna burst into tears. “I hate him! I hate him! I hate them!”

Chapter 20 by scarlett

 

 

Nick has been trying to call Anna many times since last week but he couldn’t reach her. It frustrates him to wonder what could have happened in the confrontation. He didn’t receive any call from her ever since the last time when he was at a red carpet. When the same voice message answered him, he nearly threw his phone.

“Dinah, please take them anywhere but here,” Nick pleaded to his housekeeper about the dogs. He needs a little peaceful environment for a while and he wants it at home. The dogs are not helping.

“Sure, Nick. I’ll take them home for tonight. But they’ll be back tomorrow. No buts,” Dinah quickly added when she saw Nick opened his mouth to protest. She took the dogs out of the house.

“Thanks, Dinah. I owe you one,” Nick said and only received a wave in return. He walked back in the house and tried to call Anna again. “Shit…”

“Still got no luck?”

Nick turned and saw the twins, Aaron and Angel. It was Aaron who spoke. Nick sighed. He knew what they’re talking about. “Yeah, I can’t contact her since last week. I know there’s a problem. I can feel it and I’m getting worried.”

“What happened?” Angel asked as she and Aaron left the door and started towards the sofa in the living room. Nick watched the twins. He noticed how they sometimes moved alike without noticing it, just like now. They even put a pillow on their lap at the same time. He shakes his head. “If I only knew this would happen, I should have tried calling her before.” He heard his sister added. Among them, Angel is the most attentive of his and Aaron’s relationship affairs. She felt that it’s her role to check on who are the girls they are dating and if it approves her standards. And when she learned about Anna and her story and how they met, his girlfriend doesn’t qualify her standards but Nick wasn’t surprised. Angel wasn’t always pleased about the women they dated ever since especially about Anna, in which Nick has a greater danger to deal with because of what happened to Faye.

“Anna knows the person behind her sister’s death and she told me about doing something about it. I want to know what happened but I can’t call her. The phone isn’t ringing. There’s only a recorded message that keeps on telling me that the phone is either off or out of network area.” Nick sighed. “I’m worried. Maybe I should go there.”

“Without still knowing what happened? That’s stupid, Nick.” Aaron said. “You just can’t go there to your girlfriend. For sure, things are in chaos there right now and as of BJ, the least she wanted is to get you involved. We don’t want you be put in harm, too. Her family is in politics and it might really be dangerous.”

Nick paced around the living room, still trying to contact Anna. What could have happened? He’s really worried. “Maybe I should contact the fan club there. I hope they will believe that it’s me.”

“You’ll email them?” Angel asked, still appearing not interested with the conversation they’re having.

Nick ignored his sister’s attitude. “They know my MySpace. I will use that.” He walked towards his room to get his laptop.



~~~



“Aaron,” Kevin and Howie gave the younger man high-fives. “Where’s Nick?”

“I called him and said he’s on the way. I just came here to tell you that he’s depressed,” Aaron had his hands on his pockets. They were in front of a building where the Backstreet Boys are currently having some work for their new album.

“What happened?” Kevin knew that Aaron just didn’t come there to tell that. There’s something more. He and Howie glanced at each other.

“Anna found the lead on her sister’s death. I don’t know who, Nick wouldn’t tell. Aside from that, he’s been worried. He’s trying to call her but Anna’s phone couldn’t be reached. Nick used his MySpace to contact the fan club there but Anna’s friends said that they haven’t seen her in a long time too. She’s actually missing. She’s not going to work too. No one knows where she is.”

The two men stared at Aaron in silence. It was Howie who first spoke. “Oh, man. That’s bad. What is Nick planning to do?”

“He wants to go there but Angel and I stopped him. It’s not good to be there. As we know it, politics are involved too.” Aaron replied with a worried face.

“Hey, Aaron. Where’s Nick?” It was AJ, who just arrived and came out from his car.

“Anna is missing, J.”

AJ shakes his head. “This is not good. Nick told me in the party that it was her uncle who’s responsible. Did he try to contact the fan club to check?”

Aaron nodded. “They said that she’s missing. Actually, the reason why I’m here before Nick comes here is because I’m seeking your help. I don’t know how to deal with this. Me and my sisters were concerned about Nick. He’s getting all frustrated about this and we’re already anticipating that he’ll jump on a plane anytime to go there. Please…”

Howie patted Aaron on the shoulders. “Don’t worry, Aaron. We’ll try to do something about this.” Aaron nodded and silently thanked them. They can see how the young man deeply cared for his brother even though he didn’t say it. They noticed how Nick successfully returned the bond among his siblings despite the differences. They were happy that at the least, Nick still had a part of his family through his siblings. They saw how those siblings would stick to each other no matter what.

They turned when Nick’s BMW pulled up in the sidewalk. He came out and saw Aaron. “Hey, Air. What are you doing here?”

“I just felt like being a Backstreet slave for a day,” he turned to the older men. “Come on, guys. What are your orders?”

“You know the drill, Aaron.” Howie winked. Aaron has his own way of showing Nick that he cared. They'll let him get away with his charade for now.

“McDonalds, what else? Didn't you learn that from me?” AJ asked him.

Nick shakes his head as he takes his wallet. “Okay, stop bothering the guys, Air. Get some food and use this.” He gives his credit card.

“Your treat?” Aaron laughed happily. “But sorry to disappoint you, man. I can't take that. I'm in the mood right now to give the treat.” He ignored Nick's card.

“For reasons like?” Nick raised an eyebrow, still not smiling since he arrived.

“I just want to do it, that's all,” Aaron waved goodbye and went to his car.

Nick shakes his head as he only watched his brother. He turned to his friends. “Where's Brian?”

“He's busy learning origami from Sean and Baylee,” Kevin replied with amusement. “By the way, any news about Anna?” He asked without preamble.

“So, Aaron already told you, huh?”

“We're glad he did. We're worried now, too.” AJ said.

“That's the reason why I just came now,” Nick drew a deep breath. “I searched in the internet today and found out that Faye's lead suspects have been revealed and is now big news in Manila. Anna released an evidence of a recorded conversation with her father and uncle. It indicated the details about the family quarrel that has been going on for a long time now. It caused Faye's death and now, Anna filed a case against her father and her uncle, both high-ranking government officials there. She wanted them in jail.”

“Where's Anna?” Howie asks.

“She's now under a witness-protection program because there have been threats in her life. Only her lawyer is representing her,” Nick ran his fingers through his hair.

“That’s probably why you can’t contact Anna and the more reason you can’t just go there right now. It’s not safe. They shut down the communications to her for protection.” AJ tells him.

“I’m worried. She’s scared. I’d like to know if she’s fine.” Nick looked down to his phone for the nth time that day for any messages or missed calls but still, there’s none from Anna. “I want to tell everyone that she’s my girlfriend but that might endanger her more. I don’t know what I can do to protect her in my own way but this, which sounds stupid and cowardly.”

Kevin’s brow creased. He wanted to ease Nick’s worry over his girlfriend but he doesn’t even know what to do, too. “The people who’s after her might go after you, too, considering that Anna might have told you what she knows about the case. You will be put in danger, too.”

“Okay, I think we should analyze this more with our managers,” Howie said.

Nick frowned. “Why do they have to be involved in this?”

“Because they can help us,” AJ replied. “You’re a public property, Nick. You know how much the paparazzi follow you around much more than us. Whatever you decide in your life also affects your career.”

Nick didn’t say anything as he followed the guys towards the studio. But then, he calls them. “I changed my mind. No one’s going to know this yet. Anna is in danger and I don’t want to put more weight in the situation right now. I will do anything for now to try to get a contact with her and still keep our relationship a secret.” And yes, he will really do that. God, he didn’t know that he will come to this point in his life that someone he cared so much will be in this kind of danger. It’s too painful to even think of what will happen if things get to worst.



Chapter 21 by scarlett

 

 

Intin stared at Nick’s private message in the fan club’s personal account in MySpace. She wanted to interpret the meaning of his message because she’s having a hunch that he and Anna is already a couple. Even the other administrators in the fan club began to have the perception of that as well.

‘Hi, everyone. It’s Nick. I just wanted to ask if you’ve seen or talk with Anna lately. I’ve been trying to contact her but her phone is always not available. Please reply because it’s worrying me. Thank you. Nick.’

Intin’s eyebrows furrowed. Nick is surely worried about Anna; the same thing goes for her. But in his message, it seems like there was more to it than just being worried about a friend. Nick cared so much about Anna. It’s more like he feels so deeply involved with her.

Her musings were interrupted by the sound of her phone. There’s no number indicated in the caller ID but she knew that it’s an overseas call. She hoped that it’s one of the companies who now responded to her application for a job opportunity overseas. “Hello, good afternoon,” she formally greeted.

“Intin? This is Nick, remember me? Nick Carter.”

Intin’s eyes grew wide as she gasped. The people inside the coffee shop curiously gave her a quick glance. She closed her laptop as she regained her composure. A Backstreet Boy, who humbly introduced himself as if she never knew him, called. “Uh, hi. I’m glad that you still kept my number. How are you? Have you read my reply? I still haven’t seen Anna.”

“Yeah, I know. I’d like to ask a favor from you. I hope that it’s alright with you.”

“Okay, I’ll try whatever I can do,” Intin replied. She’ll do anything for Nick Carter.

There’s a moment of silence for a while on the other line. When Intin is about to speak to ask if he’s still there, Nick spoke up. “Please find the lawyer that is representing Anna and give her a message from me. Intin, I trust you. I know that you will do this. It’s very important.” He almost pleaded on the other line.

Intin raised an eyebrow. “Nick, tell me first the truth. Are you and Anna a couple?”

“Yeah,” Nick quickly replied without further thinking. Intin didn’t say anything but only smiled. Even though he is her favorite Backstreet Boy, she’s actually happy that her friend has finally found a great man like Nick; someone of whom she can see now that is very much concerned and cared deeply for Anna. And she's happy that Nick saw how special Anna is. He's a lucky man. “Hello, Intin? Are you still there?”

“Yes.”

“Please, Intin. I’m sorry that I didn’t tell this to the fans but I know you will understand our situation, most especially you will understand this.” Nick tells her. “We’re really planning to tell everyone after everything’s been settled but this happened and I’m so worried right now. I can’t reach her on the phone. I can’t even go there because aside from the fact that she doesn’t want me to, I was advised that it will endanger her more and also me. It’s hard that I don’t know what I can do to protect her. This is the only thing I can do for now. Please send my message to call me if there will be an opportunity for her to do that. I will wait for her for whatever it takes her time to do that.”

“Okay, I will go to the press conference tomorrow morning and try to give the message.”

“Thank you so much, Intin. This will really be a great help for me.” Intin heard him sighed heavily.

“I’d like to know if she’s okay, too, wherever she is.”

“I understand. Oh, and Intin?”

“Yes?”

“Please tell her that I love her very much.”

Chapter 22 by scarlett

 

 

Nick ended the call with Intin and sighed. He hasn’t felt it in a long time until now. He is really in love. At first, he really likes her and he cares a lot for her but lately, he knew that he couldn’t live without her. He wanted her so bad that it hurt him to be this far away from her. He wanted to be there for her but there are boundaries to be crossed. He still have to gather more strength and good timing to be able to go back there and if possible, to get her. He doesn’t want to be away from her again. He knew that Anna kept on saying 'I love you' to him over the phone in which he didn’t reply with the same thing. But now, he regretted that he wasn’t able to let her know how much he truly feels, how deep his feelings are for her. Now, he doesn’t even know where she is, how she is doing and it worried him so much.

“Nick!”

He turned and saw Jean walking down the hall in the studio. “Hey, I thought you’re in Colorado and hiding from Greg,” he smirked and kissed his friend on the cheeks. “How are you?”

“I got rid of Greg. Mom made sure he’ll be counting his days in jail for the beating he’s done to me. Now, I’m back to work. I was told to manage your extra affairs so that we can plan on your tour. And since you’re the first Backstreet Boy I saw, tell me what keeps you busy nowadays.”

Nick smiled. “Haven’t you heard it yet? We’re out with a new album.” When Jean rolled her eyes, telling him that she obviously knows, he smirked. “Well, there’s Aaron. I’m helping him with his new album. BJ is in culinary school now. Leslie has her own world again while Angel is in Florida for her ‘career’. I’m helping my siblings and that makes me busy right now aside from this album. Aside from that, I’m okay with the other businesses that I had. My partners are taking care of it to keep the money flowing, so to speak.”

“But?”

“What do you mean?”

“I sensed there’s something more. Nick, I wouldn’t be your friend for ten years if I didn’t know you better and I know that there’s more.”

Nick stared at her. Even though he decided not to go public yet about his relationship with Anna, the other guys advised him to tell their managers. It will be okay to tell Jean the secret since he trusted her but it seems like a lot of people already know and he doesn’t want to further jeopardize Anna’s security. But still he had to tell Jean. He led her to one among the conference rooms in the studio.

“Oh, this is something big.”

Nick closed the door. “What do you mean?”

“I know you. You have a deep and dark secret that you don’t want anyone to know. Thanks for trusting me, Nick. Now spill it. I promise I won’t say a word to anyone.”

“I know. And actually, John and Kenneth already know about this. It’s been a secret in a long time that I have a girlfriend.” Nick said. They sat on the chairs.

“Why?”

“What do you mean?”

Jean rolled his eyes. “You’ve been asking me that several times today. Why are you keeping it a secret? Is she some high-profiled actress or another socialite? Or another newcomer as a singer?” She smiled. “An anorexic model?”

Nick frowned. “Are you making fun of my ex-girlfriends?”

“No, you just seemed uptight now, Nick. Smile. You’re too serious today. She seemed to be occupying a lot in your mind. How will she affect your tour schedule? She wants to come along? I can make some arrangements for that.” Jean started to take out her organizer.

Nick watched her arranged the post-its in one section of the planner. “She’s actually a daughter of a Philippine senator whose sister was the one who died in the exploded car when we arrived in the Philippines. Now, she’s being kept under the witness protection program because she filed a case against her father and uncle, two high-profiled politicians in their country, for the death of her sister.” His friend is now staring at him with wide eyes. “I’m not bluffing, Jean.”

“Oh, I mean, I know what happened when you arrived in Manila. The media here feasted on getting the full details and it was an instant promotion to your group. Many were curious about the event at the airport and who Faye is. We didn’t know that she has a sister.”

“Her name is Anna. I know that and that’s why I’ve been protecting her,” Nick started and continued with the details about Anna and how their relationship began. He drew a deep breath. Jean quietly listened to everything. “And right now, I’m so worried because I didn’t know where she is. It’s very frustrating that people, circumstances and geography were keeping us apart. I really want to go there and be there for her. I want to make her feel that I’m not going anywhere, that I’m always on her side.”

“Wow…” Jean quietly muttered.

Nick heard that and frowned. “Wow? You’re beginning to annoy me.”

“Huh? I just mean, I’m so happy to see you feeling and caring so deeply towards someone and not just anyone but a woman who’s far from what you’re used to, of a different culture and very far away from you. And listen,” Jean cleared her throat, “screw the people here. If you like her –“

“I love her,” Nick cut in.

Jean nodded. “If you love her, go for what you desired to do. I’ll help you with this schedule we’ll have and we’ll plan things on how to handle the situation so that you can go there and be with her. Let’s plan something that won’t affect your career. Let’s measure up the pros and cons and we’ll protect about you and Anna. And Nick?”

“Yeah?”

“You need to tell this to everyone,” she said. When she saw the surprised look from her friend, she sighed. “Tell to the world how much you love Anna and the people that surround her, even those who are threatening her, will think twice about hurting her because everybody will know her. Contrary to what others tell you, I think the media will protect her in a way.”

Nick thought for a moment. He saw Jean bit her lower lip, waiting in anticipation for his reply. “You know, Jean, I care more about protecting her than myself. In the first place, I kept this a secret because I don’t want anyone to invade my girlfriend’s privacy. I value her anonymity so much, most especially that I wasn’t around to protect her there. But now that she’s being protected because of what happened to her sister and that her whereabouts are unknown, I don’t know what to do anymore. John and Kenneth are more concerned of my safety and my career that’s why they advised not to go public on this. But they said that if only circumstances were different, it would never be a problem if I announce it. They can take care of my career. Safety is another matter though,” he saw Jean’s face becomes frustrated. “I understand what you want, Jean. I want to announce it to the world too, on how I got a wonderful woman but I can’t. All the plans are just in my head,” he pointed a finger to his temple, “but I can’t do anything about it. Right now, I’m waiting. Before you came, I had a call with her friend to contact Anna’s lawyer and tell her how worried I am, to try contacting me to know how she is doing and that I love her.”

Jean didn’t say anything but only looked at her.

“Now that I tell you the most important thing that keeps me occupied for these past few weeks, you can already plan our tour schedule.”

“I’ll be having a meeting tomorrow with the marketing director and reuniting with your manager. Don’t worry, Nick. I’ll consider what you said and it will be our top secret.” Jean gave him an assuring smile and closed her planner.

“Thank you, Jean. That’s why I love you,” Nick grinned and leaned closer to tease her.

“Oh, please,” Jean laughed and stood up. “You’ve had enough drama. But remember,” she faced him, “when you need to fly out from here to go there, you know the drill. I’m here.” She winked and went out of the room.

Nick sighed and turned to stare at his phone. He stared at the screensaver of him and Anna. He looked down to the tribal bracelet in his wrist, the one that is identical to Anna’s. He missed her so much. It seems like a nightmare that he couldn’t be with his girlfriend when she needs him the most.



Chapter 23 by scarlett

 

 

Anna stared out in the night sky as her mind drifts off to the recent happenings in her life. It’s been almost five months since her life changed after her sister died. She’s never been the same. She felt that her main purpose was to find the person and the reason behind Faye’s death. And now that she did, she actually wished she didn’t try to know at all. It hurt so much to realize that her very own kin is the one behind this. But it also angers her on why they would resort to greed and violence just to get their worldly ambitions.

As Anna continued with her musings, her gaze went to the bracelet in her wrist. It was given by Nick and she treasured it so much. It is identical with Nick’s. She wondered what he is doing right now. She wondered if how many times did he try to contact her and looking for her because she couldn’t help it but doubt his real intentions to her. Once when she browsed the internet about him, she saw a recent picture of him and a woman in Kevin’s birthday party, the night after they talked on the phone when he’s in a charity event. He looked as if he doesn’t have a girlfriend in that picture as his arms were all around the woman. Is he really serious about her? She admits that she’s far from the women he dated. She felt lucky that Nick was even attracted to her and being the charming guy that he is, she fell for that. So even though they were from different sides of the world and of culture, she tried to be in this relationship with him.

Because for her, he’s the man she’s been waiting for in her life.

Being his girlfriend is an overwhelming experience, even if they kept it a secret from everyone. She loves the way he cares for her in simple ways like calling her just to say goodnight, sending email messages and even sent out special gifts a few times to her. She loves the way she felt about having someone around who will look out for her, to check if she’s okay; a man who gave her a moral booster during the times when she vented out her family frustrations and her dreams in life. And she loves the way he trusted her when he shared a part of his life, too, by telling things about him that no one knew, the real him as a person and not the celebrity that the world knew.

But there’s one thing she noticed that he never does. He doesn’t say he loves her. She always tells Nick she loves him over the phone but he will only reply it with ‘same thing here’ or ‘likewise’. Nick never said the L word. And now she’s beginning to think why. She's a very expressive person and it mattered so much if she will hear him say he loves her.

When her family ordeal is over, she will take the chance to talk with him. Not now. Things are still in chaos. She couldn’t make any communication as advised by her lawyer. She received death threats and she couldn’t believe it that someone would really bother to think about her as a threat. She couldn’t understand it. This is a family issue. And if her death will try to be the end of this, they are wrong. Her lawyer had enough weapons to make sure that the people responsible for Faye’s death will rot in jail. It doesn’t matter if it’s her father and uncle. She will fight until the end.



~~~



Nick looked up to Kevin. “Come again?”

Kevin turned the TV on in the conference room and browsed on the channel until he stopped in a news channel in Asia. The Backstreet Boys are in the conference room with their managers as they talk about a contract that’s being proposed to them by a popular fast food chain as the leading endorser. While waiting for the photocopies for everyone, Kevin said something that Nick missed out on hearing except the fact that he must have heard Anna’s name.

“The case is done. The judge has given the final resolution.” Howie tells him.

“Oh,” Nick stood up and stood closer to the TV. Indeed, the news is about Anna’s battle to fight against her father and uncle as the responsible suspects for her sister’s death. The media feasted around her as she walks out of the court house. She’s wearing dark sunglasses, and a woman is escorting her towards a car. She didn’t answer any questions thrown by the reporters around her. Before the video ends, Nick caught a glimpse of her inside the car and looking at her mobile phone. He immediately takes out his phone and called her. It’s busy.

“Damn,” he muttered. He looked around and found the guys looking at him. “What?”

“None,” AJ said and returned to the laptop in front of Howie. Others only shrugged.

“What are you going to do now?” It was Kevin who asked him.

“I want to go there but I know that I can’t.” Nick replied as he tried to call Anna again but still, there was the busy line.

Kevin turned to their managers, Johnny and Kenneth. “How can Nick go there? Is he allowed?”

“Well, Nick can’t just go there to be with her, obviously announcing to everyone that they’re a couple. It’s not that simple. Anna’s situation is still complicated. She may still be in danger and we also don’t want to put Nick in that situation. You have a new album and your time also requires you to be here to perform your promotions.” Johnny answered. “The important thing that Nick can do right now is to talk with Anna. Only they can decide on what to do. We can only be your support team in case things will get out of hand.”

Nick only half-listened to what their manager is saying. His heart beats fast when Anna’s phone is already ringing. Please answer the phone, he thoughtfully pleaded. His prayer must have been heard. Anna answered on the other line.

“Anna!”

Everyone turned to him. He quickly walked out of the conference room.



~~~



Anna’s heart is beating so fast when she decided to answer the phone. She missed Nick’s voice. It’s been a long time and it’s been torture for her on not to be able to reach out and contact him despite his effort when she received his message from her lawyer.

“I love you, Anna.”

“Nick…” She can only say. She’s overwhelmed by the words that he told her. She’s been waiting for that for so long.

“How are you? Are you alright? Just say the word and I’ll be there. Please, Anna.” Nick said on the other line. “Oh, my God. I’ve been very worried about you. I’ve tried to go there many times but they prevented me from it: my brother, my sisters, the guys, the management, said it was dangerous. But I just can’t sit here and not know where you are and how have you been. Anna, please. I’m just waiting for you. Let me go there.”

Anna closed her eyes. She drew a deep breath. “I need you, Nick.”

“Okay, stay put. I’ll get plane tickets today –“

“But don’t go here, not yet.”

“Huh?”

“Things are over Nick, but I’ll settle things with my family.”

“I don’t understand, Anna. Why can’t you just tell me that you don’t want me, or anything to do with me? Why can’t you just admit that you’re ashamed that I’m your boyfriend? You kept on making me wait here to let things slide with the problems that you have. You won’t let me help you, or just even be beside you. And it’s unfair for me. I want to be there so bad and be with you. I only stayed here because I respect your decision. Baby, I’d like to support you. I love you but it seems like you just disregard the feelings that I have for you.”

“I’m sorry, Nick. I just don’t want you to be caught up with this mess in my family.” Anna wiped her tears. “I love you, too.”

“You have an odd way of showing it. I love you still but I’ll give you time. It’s hard to decide on this now. I think that I’ll give you space for a while. If you realize that you really don’t want me, I’ll let you go as hard as it will be for me.” She heard him sniffed. Later, he’s crying on the other line.

“I’m sorry, Nick.”

They were silent for a while. Then, Nick wiped his tears. “Bye, Anna.”

“Nick! Nick! No…” Anna bit her lower lip as she tried to dial Nick’s number. But her phone’s battery is low. She tried again but moments later, the phone died down. “Nick…” Stupid me, she thought as she cried.



Chapter 24 by scarlett

 

 

“Are you sure?” Brian asked Nick. They were at the backstage for Oprah’s show in Chicago where they will appear as musical guests to promote their new album. They were in Chicago for two days now, doing bar tours and mini-concerts before going on a world tour to promote their album in other countries.

Nick nodded. He’s talking about letting the public know about his relationship with Anna. He really wanted everyone to know it. Even though they took time apart, he still wanted to show everyone how much she means to him. He consulted his decision with their managers and they only advised him to be careful on saying something about the politics that is involved with Anna and her family. It’s a delicate matter and they don’t want anyone to delve further on that.

And before they go to the studio, Nick sent a text message to Anna about his plans in Oprah. He still wanted her to know about his plans.

“Did she reply on your message?” AJ asked him.

“No, but still, I wanted to do this.” There’s finality in his tone. He noticed his friends are looking at each other. They never interfered in each other’s affairs but they can express their concern. They have given him enough advice on the matter and he felt he had enough to go on with this. Later, they were called for their cue. Nick stood by the exit way as they waited for Oprah’s call.

“It’s been more than five years since the last time they’ve been here. I was honored to be part of the group’s rejuvenation back to the music scene. Now, they’re back again,” Oprah sang the tune of the last part in which the audience laughed. “They’ve sold millions of albums worldwide and their fan base never faded and still growing. Take a closer look,” she said as video clips were presented showing the fans of different ages and nationality. “And now to promote their new album and to raise awareness and support for saving the world from hunger and poverty, I welcome back my favorite guys in the show, the Backstreet Boys.” There was a huge applause from the audience, consisted mainly of the fans, as the Boys went out of the backstage. The song ‘Everybody’ is being played in the background. Oprah opened her arms to welcome each of them who hugged and kissed her on the cheeks in return. They seated in the sofa.

“First things first, how did you come up with this worldwide project?” Oprah asked.

“It started with Kevin and Nick who have been environmental advocates since the beginning of our career,” Howie replied. “And then the rest of us were focused on the awareness and support of human health and welfare. Soon enough, we ventured into our own projects of different advocacies. There has been an overwhelming support from the fans and now, we decided to go further.”

“While we’re making this album, we’ve thought about doing something for a cause because we think we’ve done enough of what we wanted in our lives. We got our dreams,” Brian added. “It’s a dream come true to have this career. We’re now enjoying the graces that God has given us and so now, we’d like to take another opportunity to contribute something to mankind.”

“Uh-huh. So what do you do?” There’s a look of interest in Oprah’s face.

“When people buy our album, a dollar of it will proceed directly to the United Nations World Food Programme,” Kevin said. “We managed to coordinate this project with the United Nations and they are very happy to be part of this project. We hoped that at least, everyone may participate in this because as you know, that we had enough food for everyone but still many of us didn’t have enough food mainly because of several factors: nature, war, poverty, agricultural infrastructure and over-exploitation of the environment. It is a serious subject that affects mainly the life of a person. Imagine if a young boy is poor and hungry, he couldn’t go to school; he had to work and sometimes would encounter sickness and disease. Hunger contributes to greater problems and we can start on solving the problem by providing a feeding program most especially to those in need.”

“It’s a noble project, I must say,” Oprah said. “But only a few left to you. You almost won’t earn anything at all,” she said. “I mean, correct me if I’m wrong, you’d need to pay the people who were involved in this album, from the songwriters to the musicians, and also you. I’m amazed because only a few artists have done this before. Bono is one, but we all know Bono.” They chuckled. Oprah faced the camera. “I’m glad that these wonderful guys have given us the opportunity to somehow take part in supporting an economic and social concern. And what’s another amazing thing here is that for one of the rarest time here in Oprah, I will sell stuff and not give it away.” The people laughed as Oprah nodded. “We need this for the project. We can start it by buying the CD.”

“Seriously though, I’d like to congratulate the Backstreet Boys on this humanitarian project. It’s a rare blessing of being internationally-known and uses it for a good cause. May God bless you.” Oprah clapped her hands and the audience followed. The five men nodded and muttered their thanks to everyone in the studio.

“The CDs will be available today after the show exclusively here in the studio and on my website, just right after the show. The album release will be tomorrow in all record stores but if you already want a copy, you may drop by the studio today until five in the afternoon or visit my website. The copies that will be sold today include some unique memorabilia from the Boys, as well as brochures about the program.” Oprah turned to the men. “Any more words about this project?”

“Thank you very much,” Kevin said.

“We’d like to take this opportunity to thank the people who helped us in this project,” Brian added, taking out a piece of paper.

“Wow, you’ve got a copy,” Oprah said amusingly. “Go on,” she added and Brian began to recite the people involved in making the album. Once he’s done, Oprah nodded. “Now, tell me about your new single, Beyond Boundaries, in which you will perform later in the show. It’s already at the fifth position in the Billboard Singles Chart in just a week of release. It’s a wonderful ballad with catchy mellow tunes. When I first heard of it, it reminded me about a wedding of a friend and it literally,” she emphasized on the term, “it literally had me in tears. It’s so sweet and promising and loving.”

The guys turned to Nick. The youngest one smiled. “The song is actually the one I personally wrote for my ex-girlfriend…”

“A recent ex-girlfriend?” Oprah asked and Nick nodded. “I assume she’s so special considering on how emotions are felt through the lyrics of the song. It’s about being together despite the differences that you have.”

“True,” Nick nodded. “I met her in the Philippines where we have had a shoot for a home video. We’re of different cultures and beliefs but I love her so much and that inspired me to write this song for her.”

Oprah’s eyes were wide and she’s smiling with amazement. “I’m glad but I’m sorry to hear that you broke up. What happened? You said you met her in the Philippines. That’s when a bombing occurred when you arrived at the airport, am I right? It was in the news here in the US.”

“Yes,” AJ replied with a nod.

“Yes, because I was watching TV at that time and you were on the news and I was concerned. What exactly happened there? The girl was pregnant, a senator’s daughter and has been your friend you’ve met on the plane. And I believe that now, her sister filed a case against her father and uncle in which turned out to have something to do with what happened.” Oprah said.

“It surprised us because we didn’t expect it. We’ve met the family in Faye’s wake and we didn’t notice anything about them to have something to do with their own family.” Kevin answered that.

“And you met your girlfriend there?” Oprah turned to Nick.

“Faye’s sister, who’s now in the news, was my girlfriend.” He replied. “Let’s just say that it was hard for us to have a long-distance relationship. Right now, we took the time off from each other but I still love her and so is she. We agreed to come in this term of our relationship. We’re still friends and she knows that I’ll be saying this about her in public today.”

“We hope she’s watching this,” Brian helped Nick out. “She’s a great person and all the guys liked her. We’re also hoping that she’s fine, now that her ordeal about the case is over.”

Oprah nodded. “Any message for her, Nick?”

The camera zoomed in to Nick’s face. “Hi, you know what we’ve talked about. I’m just here. I still love you.”

“That’s it?” Oprah smiled.

“There are words that I can’t express in public. She knows the rest.” Nick replied.

Chapter 25 by scarlett

 

 

“Thank you!” Nick said to the crowd as he and the other guys held hands and bowed down. Their promo tour has ended in the Philippines and the next day, they’re bound next to Malaysia. When they arrived yesterday, he was able to talk with Intin to ask for Anna. He learned that after her ordeal with her family, she went to the US. Intin just doesn’t know in what state Anna has gone to.

After his revelation in Oprah about his relationship with Anna, the media grew an interest on the woman that he had a secret relationship with, most importantly on the controversy that surrounded her and her family in this country. Nick was bombarded with paparazzi wherever he goes, asking him about Anna. He only replied briefly and not delving out on the full details about their relationship. That still remains to be private for him.

“I want to go home,” he muttered to himself as they went inside the tour bus that will take them back to the hotel. He went straight at the back and sat alone. He closed the curtains and then closed his eyes. He’s tired. He wanted to rest. He still wanted to stay and interact with the fans but right now, all he really wanted is to go home.

“Here’s your water, Nick,” Brian said. He took the bottled water and drink on it. “I heard you,” his friend said and took a seat beside him.

“What?” He tiredly asks.

“Something about going home,” Brian replied. “Don’t worry. Five countries left and we’ll have a short break.” He waited for Nick to say anything but the younger one only kept silent. “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine.”

They grew silent as the bus easily made its way through the busy streets of Manila. “When Leighanne went back to Georgia when I don’t want to push through with that surgery, I nearly lost my mind. I don’t want her to go, let alone be out of my sight. There and then, I made my decision to go through the knife. The experience still made me cringe but it has made her come back to me. I felt so lucky even before I realized that I’m safe and have a healthy heart. Leighanne came back and we decided to get married. It’s been one of the happiest moments in my life…the feeling of being in love and having someone that I cared so deeply for.”

Nick glanced at his friend. “You missed her now, don’t you?”

“Very,” Brian sighed. “Do you love Anna?”

“Yes.”

“You shouldn’t have broken up with her.” Brian tells him. He didn’t say anything. “It’s one of the times where she needed you the most, even when you’re far away. How can you tell now that you love her when you leave her like that?”

“I know. It’s a mistake.” Nick muttered. His eyes are closed. “It’s crazy.” He continued in almost a whisper. “I never thought of having a feeling like this, Brian. She was a stranger then. I barely knew her. We came from different countries. There were boundaries between us and yet,” he sighed, “I fell in love.”

“That’s the thing, Nick. You fell in love. It comes at the time you least expected it and to someone you don’t have any idea you’d fell in love with. When I broke up with Samantha before, it was hurtful. But God has been so good. It wasn’t long until Leighanne comes along. Right then, I realized that I finally found the rest of my life.”

“I’m not going to get married yet, Brian.” Nick said.

“Sure, whatever you say, but you’ll never expect it by the time it comes.”

Nick looked through the glass window of the bus. Of course, he wasn’t ready to get married yet. He’s a man enjoying the fullness of being a bachelor. It just so happen that Anna came into his life and he felt that without her, he doesn’t want to be lonely. He needed someone around, particularly a woman of whom he can take care of and a companion whenever he needed somebody. He doesn’t want to be alone. When Anna never attempted to have any contact with him, that’s what he felt – alone. Maybe it’s time to move on without her. He’ll stop looking for someone who might not want him anymore in any way.



~~~



Anna pulled her jacket together and closer as she sniffed. She’s having colds as she’s still not used to the cold weather in New York. She’s also coming down to flu. She haven’t had any rest from her work at the travel agency especially now in its peak season. Thanksgiving will be in two weeks and the office is busy in handling trips in the different part of the states and outside the country. She couldn’t find the time to take a break for herself because of the heavy demands at work.

Ever since she came to the US to work at a friend’s travel agency in Manhattan, she never even got the chance to call home or check her email for anything. And that was about six months ago, exactly the period of time since she last talked with Nick. She missed him. She even lost contact with him because her mobile phone was robbed then at the airport when she arrived in New York. She came to the US to get away from the negative happenings in the past. She wanted to start on her own and she was lucky that a high school friend offered her once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to sponsor her stay in the States. She immediately arranged her visa and flew as soon as she was approved. She used almost all her savings for the one-way plane ticket. For six months of living in Manhattan, it wasn’t easy for her. She had to adapt to her new surroundings, life and culture. She had to be prudent in saving her earnings so that she have something to eat and she can pursue with her plan of living on her own. It wasn’t easy but she’s struggling. She always tells herself that things start in a hard way. She had enough patience to endure the life she’s chosen now. In good time, God will give her the luck she deserves. Right now, she had to go home and get warm.

‘He must have thought that I forgot about him,’ she quietly muttered to herself when she thought of Nick again. It’s been a long time. She felt nostalgic when she saw a large poster of the Backstreet Boys at the Tower Records. Their new album was a hit, especially the song Beyond Boundaries in which she heard in Oprah was written by Nick for her. She wiped a tear at the corner of her eye. If the Boys are coming to New York, she wished she will have the opportunity to see them even from afar. She’s having second thoughts about showing herself to him. Maybe within the six-month period of not seeing her or hearing anything from him, Nick must have moved on with his life. It may be embarrassing if she will just show up. He’s the one who gave the time off because of her stupidity. She admits it now. She couldn’t balance her time from all that was happening with her and from being Nick’s girlfriend that she set him aside. And she knew that it hurt Nick. She truly regretted doing it to him.

“Anna! Wait up!”

“Huh?” She turned in time to see Ben, a co-worker at the travel agency.

“You seemed to be occupied about something. I’ve been calling you and you couldn’t hear me,” Ben smiled. He gave her a paper cup of hot coffee. “I know you need this.”

“Thanks, Ben.” She sipped a little and they began to walk slowly. “It’s cold here.”

“Yeah, a little. Wait ‘til Christmas comes, it will be a lot colder. This thing is just prelude,” Ben replies. He grew up in the city and one of the first people who became her friends. He toured her around once and he’s really friendly. She felt comfortable being with him.

“C-colder?” Now, she’s trembling. “I’m not used to this weather. Philippines only have cold weather during rainy season. It’s a tropical country and it’s not like this during November.”

“I figured that out earlier. That’s why when you walked out to go home, Halley and I watched you. I decided to go after you since Halley is still left working in the office.” Ben said. “Don’t worry. You’ll get used to this in good time. Otherwise, you may go and find another work in Florida. Their climate there will be more suitable for you. Or if you don’t want to be in that kind of heat, there are still other cities in the south where I can recommend you.”

“T-thanks.” Anna replied. “I’ve thought about going to LA by next year. I have an uncle who lives there and he learned about me being here. He found out about where I am working and he called earlier. He’s inviting me to go there.”

“That’s good. At least, you have a relative here in the States. It’s still lonely to be living alone and has nobody to turn to.” They went silent for a while as they walk. Anna is constantly sipping her coffee and reconsidering her uncle’s offer. She actually declined but thinking of it now, Ben is right. It still feels good to have someone like family when one is in a foreign place. She wanted to feel comfortable and peaceful in her new life. Maybe, seeing her uncle won’t be a bad idea.

It was around twenty more minutes when they got to the apartment building where Anna lives with her friend. “Come inside and take a rest for a while.”

“Nah, I better get going, Anna. I just have to see you home because you’re pale earlier. And now you’re safe,” Ben smiled.

“Thank you.”

“Uh, may I ask you something?”

“Okay.”

“I got premiere night tickets for Angelina Jolie’s new movie tomorrow. Will you go with me?”

Anna smiled. Ben is a good man and it won’t hurt to go with him. Anyway, she’s no longer Nick’s girlfriend even though she still has her strong feelings for him. “Sure. I’m going to bring a lot of jackets.” They laughed.



Chapter 26 by scarlett

 

 

Angel Carter greeted the people along her way as she walked towards her brother. She saw Nick talking animatedly to AJ and Kevin and then they are laughing. Everyone seems to be having fun at the post-tour party in LA. The Backstreet Boys just came two days ago from their last leg of the world tour in Australia. “Yes, I saw him!” she excitedly said.

“Maybe I can try it sometime. It sounds like it wasn’t bad at all,” AJ said when she got near.

“Hi, Nick.” Angel smiled to her brother’s friends.

“Excuse me, guys,” Nick went to his sister. “What’s up, Angel? You seemed excited.” He puts his arm on her shoulders. No matter how old Angel is now, she will always be his little sister. Why, he’s protective of her, considering how gorgeous she is now. That’s the main reason that he had her living in his house when she’s in LA for her gigs. Somehow, he wanted to keep up on what’s going around with his sister.

“I’m okay, Nick,” Angel giggled. “I just came from the studio and went straight here. It’s traffic out at the boulevard and when I got here, the guards have to ask for my ID. Good thing is, Kristin and Leighanne saw me outside. If not for them, I wouldn’t know what to do.”

“Glad you came,” Nick said and hugged her. “I miss you, sis. Any news about Leslie and Mike? I haven’t heard about them since their wedding in Vegas last July.”

“I’ve talked with her on the phone the other day. She’s fine. BJ’s cool, too. I went to the restaurant where she works and I spotted her being scolded by the manager. I don’t know what happened but hey, it’s BJ.” Angel rolled her eyes. “Aaron’s out somewhere. I tried to call him but his phone’s off.” She saw her brother nodded and gestured her towards the buffet table. “Good, I’m starved.”

“I’ve always thought that models starve themselves but not you,” Nick chuckled as he does the serving for his sister.

“That’s Paris for you, Nick. I don’t deprive myself from eating anything I want as long as I have the discipline. That’s the keyword there, Nick.” Angel smiled. “By the way, Julie says hi. Do you remember her? My friend who lives in Florida.”

“Yeah, I know her. I remember your friends somehow, no matter how many they are.”

“Good because I was wondering if you could ask her out, you know…” she continued. “She’s a nice woman plus she’s fun.”

“I can have the fun I want anytime,” Nick retorted.

She rolled her eyes. “Come on, Nick. It’s nice to have someone once in a while. You can forget about the past. She’s gone and we don’t know where. You should move on just as she probably is now.”

Nick faced his sister and gave the plate to her. He stared down to her. “You really don’t like her, do you?”

“I don’t know her.”

“There was never a chance then.”

“Yes, and because she never gave any,” Angel answered. “You were serious, why couldn’t she?” she rolled her eyes and then walked away. Nick watched her and then went on the opposite way.



~~~



Anna’s heart is beating fast when she reached the Rockefeller Center for the Today Show and saw that there are already lots of people crowding around. She quickly tied her long black hair and tipped her feet to somehow see what’s going on. She learned that the Backstreet Boys are going to be the guests on the morning show and they will be having a mini-concert outside. She wanted to take a glimpse of them, even from afar.

“Are they here already?” she asks a blonde woman who’s carrying a poster of the Boys.

“Not yet, I think. The guard said that they’ll be arriving in Brian’s car.”

Anna didn’t know how could the woman know that but at least, she got an info. She gathered her jacket close as she feels the cold weather again. She’s still learning to get used to it. Thanksgiving Day will be two days from now and her uncle invited her to fly to LA to join them. She immediately secured a plane ticket to LA and will be flying tomorrow. But right now, she will take a chance to see Nick and his group perform live. But mainly, she wanted to see Nick.

She was unintentionally pushed aside when there was sudden commotion. They must have arrived! She looked around and she caught sight of a big black SUV pulled in front of the building. There were men in suits that surround it and she recognized Marcus among them. They are here! She drew a deep breath as she tried to catch a sight of Nick. There were excited shrieks and calls coming from the fans that surround her. She was pushed back again and she sighed in resignation. She just saw the back of the five men dashing inside the building. They’re gone. The fans followed towards the stage area that was set up beside the building.

Anna is on the verge of crying because of frustration. She didn’t see Nick. She bit her lower lip as she wearily stood beside a light post.

“Anna?”

She turned around and saw Marcus. Her eyes widened. “Marcus…” she straightened her stand. “How is he?”

“He’s fine. Come inside with me. I know he’ll be glad to see you.”

“I’m afraid, Marcus.”

“Silly. Come with me, Anna.” She was about to reply when a group of fans approached Marcus and asked him about the Boys. She discreetly wiped her tears. One fan turned to her.

“Hey, aren’t you Anna Gomez? Nick’s ex?”

“Huh?” The attention was on her now. She looked in panic at Marcus.

“Why are you here?” one of the fans raised an eyebrow. “Do you still wish that once Nick will see you, he’ll get you back?”

“N-no. It’s not that. I just came to say hi,” Anna is not used to this kind of attention from people she doesn’t even know. She gasped when Marcus took her hand and quickly led her inside the building. The fans were left behind as they were barred by the security in the building’s lobby.

“There you are, Marcus! Do you think that the…” AJ suddenly came out from a conference room and his voice trailed off when he saw Anna. “Oh, my God.” He hugged her. “I’ll call Nick.”

Anna gripped his arm tightly. “AJ, will he be glad to see me? I mean, it’s a long time and I wanted to explain. Things happened that I wasn’t able to make contact to him or even to my family.”

“It’s alright. He’d be glad to see you.”

Anna hesitated to believe him. Nick might be mad at her. They turned when it was Nick who came out from the room. He stopped when he saw her. He’s about to speak when the floor director of the show called them from the inside. AJ excused himself and went in. Nick hesitated to move at first, still unable to speak. “Don’t leave,” he tells her. He nodded at Marcus and then went inside the room. Anna turned to Marcus.

“You have to come with me, sweetheart.”



Chapter 27 by scarlett

 

 

Anna stared at the mobile phone that her friend let her borrow to her. Her friend, Lisa, knew about her plan on trying to see Nick at the Rockefeller Center. Lisa will pick her up in an hour and she left the phone to Anna for easy contact. When Nick left earlier, Marcus already know what to do. He took her to a black car and brought her to Four Seasons Hotel where she was told that the Boys are staying. Now, she’s in a suite, sitting quietly in a sofa. The place is clean, far from what she heard from Intin that Nick is the messy one. The housekeeper probably cleaned the room.

She dialed Lisa’s number. Her friend answered it on the first ring. “Lisa, I’m at the Four Seasons.”

“What are you doing there?”

“One of their bodyguards saw me, as well as Nick and AJ. I was taken here and he told me not to leave.”

“Aren’t you? Am I still going to pick you up or that depends on what will happen later?” Lisa asks.

Anna drew a deep breath. “I’m nervous. It’s been a long time and Nick seemed not to like it when he saw me.”

“Are you sure?”

“I don’t know...” She bit her lower lip. She glanced at the closed door. It’s been a torment to just sit down and wait and not knowing what will happen when Nick comes back and talks with her. Her heart beats fast when she heard faint footsteps at the hall. “Wait, someone’s coming. I’ll talk to you later. Don’t pick me up here. I’ll just go home later.” As soon as she ended the call, the door opened and she saw a young woman and a man come inside. They stopped with their conversation when they saw her.

“What are you doing here?” Angel asks.

“Nick asked me to wait for him here.” Anna replied. She stood up and walked towards them. She extended her hand for a handshake. “Hi, my name is Anna.”

Angel stared at her hand and back to her while Aaron shakes his head and took Anna’s hand. “My name is Aaron and this is my twin, Angel. It’s nice to have finally met you.”

“Likewise,” Anna tried to smile.

“Yeah, me too,” Angel said, taking her hand and shook it. She studied Anna. “What happened?”

"It's a long and complicated story." Anna replied. "But just to make things short, I made my dad and my uncle be convicted for the death of my sister, and among other things. Everyone feasted on me and I need to get away from that. My friend here offered me a job and a temporary place to live. I didn’t get the chance to tell Nick because things happened so fast. I tried a few times but wasn’t able to reach him until I finally got here. I haven’t had enough money that I really have to work hard, plus the fact that my phone was stolen at the airport when I got here.”

The two only stared at her. It was Aaron who first spoke.

“Well, that was still a long story,” he smiled to her. “Did you already eat?”

“I’m not hungry. Thank you for asking.” They turned when they heard voices at the corridor. Anna already anticipated that the Boys’ party has arrived. She braced herself for the forthcoming confrontation as her heart beats faster. “They must have already arrived. Why are you here?” She turned the question to the twins.

“Nick brought us here and he invited us for dinner.” Angel replied. “We’re just waiting for him to come back.”

Anna shivered from the cold weather again and she tried to hide it. But Aaron and Angel noticed that and exchanged looks. “He’s a good brother. He tells me a lot about you and how he cares for each one of you.” Anna tells the two. “You’re lucky to have him.”

“You should have been lucky, too.” Aaron said, “but things get in the way and you can’t even give Nick the chance to take care of you.”

Anna looked at the twins. “Yes, I know that. I should’ve been lucky.” She said, almost in a whisper. They turned when the door opened and Nick is on the door.

“Okay, out, you, two, for a while,” Nick tells Angel and Aaron. But Angel didn’t budge as she only stood on the side, fidgeting and biting her lower lip. Nick glared at her. “Angel, please.” She hesitated for a while before going to Aaron. The twins followed their brother and went out of the room. He saw the people outside looking at him with curiosity. He doesn’t care.

“Nick, I think she’s sick. I mean, fever.” Angel tells him.

Nick didn’t say anything as he closed and locked the door. “What are you doing here?” He asks Anna.

Anna felt intimidated by the way Nick’s presence has brought the awkward mood in the room. He’s near yet seemed so far and unreachable. “I only came to see you, even from afar. I’m not expecting to be entertained and be brought here or whatsoever.”

Nick didn’t say anything as he only stood within a distance from her, his arms akimbo.

Anan didn’t like the silence between them. “I hope you’ll say anything. I don’t know why you wanted me to be here. I’m so sorry, Nick, for the things I’ve done and neglecting the relationship that we’ve had.”

There was still silence. They stared at each other for a while. “What’s wrong with you?” Nick asked.

“Huh?”

Nick sighed. “You looked sick.” Actually, she looked pale.

”Oh, I’m just getting out of it. I’m fine.” Anna pulled her jacket closer. “I don’t see any reason to stay here anymore. I’m leaving. It’s been nice seeing you again.” She tried not to cry. She bit her lower lip.

Nick watched as she stepped closer and hugged him. I love you, Anna thought silently as her body touched his. She felt his warmth as he held her close, his fingers ran through her hair. She closed her eyes. She’s still sniffing from her colds, her eyes moist and her temperature warm. She sighed. She wanted to lie down and rest. She really should be going now.

“You’re not well, Anna,” Nick says. He looked down to her and checked on her clothes. Beneath the jacket were layers of shirts just to keep her warm. She’s not used to this cold weather, he thought in concern.

“I’m fine.” Anna pulled away. “Thanks for listening.” She said softly. Nick noticed how she tried to conceal her tremble.

“Anna, don’t be stubborn now. You’re not fine. You’re cold. You’re trembling.” He stopped talking when she looked up to him.

“I’m sorry. I know it’ll be too much. I’m just really cold.” Anna quietly said. She shivered.

“Ssshh...” Nick nodded as he gestured her towards the nearby sofa. This is one of the things that he wanted to do for her – taking care of her. For months of being away from each other and keeping the feelings to himself, he realized that nothing changed. He still has this special feeling for her, this deep emotion that Kevin and Brian reminded him more often. He is still deeply in love with Anna.







Chapter 28 by scarlett

 

 

 

“What do you think is going on?” Kevin asked Howie when he gets out of his hotel room and found the latter in the hall.

Howie looked at him. “They’re still probably talking. It wasn’t long since we arrived anyway.”

Kevin sighed. “I’m just thinking about those two, you know.” They turned when the door from Nick’s room opened and he came out with a look of worry in his face.

“What happened?” Kevin and Howie almost asked at once.

Nick ran his fingers through his hair. “I need a doctor. Anna is sick.”

In an instant, Kevin and Howie moved. Kevin went back to his room to get his wife while Howie followed Nick. Anna is sitting on the sofa and she looked up when they entered. “Oh my... I told Nick that I can manage to go home. I have to go home. Don’t bother about me anymore.”

Howie ignored what she said and felt her forehead. “We will make sure that you’ll be home safe.” He sits beside her. “How are you, Anna? It’s been a long time.” Just as he said that, the door opened again and Kevin and his wife entered.

Anna wondered before why would Intin and her friends go gaga over these men. Now, she knows. They are very nice and caring people. They won’t leave anyone out of trouble and will help anyone as much as they can. And being talented is a given trait plus the obvious fact that their presence can make any woman go weak-kneed because of their good looks.

“I’m fine-“

“She’s trembling from the cold weather,” Nick cut in. “I don’t want her to go out there alone and cold.”

“We can take a car service from the hotel to take Anna home,” Kevin says.

“Can’t you stay here, at least for tonight?” It was Kristin.

“I have a flight tomorrow.” Anna replied. She sniffed.

“Flight? Are you going home to Manila?” Nick asked, almost in a panic.

Anna turned to him. “I’ll just go to my uncle for Thanksgiving, Nick. I’m not going home yet.”

“Where?” He asks her again.

“LA,” she tells him.

“LA? On Thanksgiving?” Nick exclaimed. He won’t be back in LA until next week and he wants to be with her. He thought he can be with her now that he’s in New York but she’s leaving tomorrow to go to the place he now calls home and then when he gets back there, she’s probably back to New York then. They won’t see each other. It’s frustrating.

“Yes, and so?” Anna shakes her head. She hates it when it’s obvious that he still cares for her and he won’t say anything about it or confirming it. And now, he’d expect her to say something about her travel plans to LA.

“Yeah. Why, Nick? What’s wrong with that?” Kristin asked him with a frown. “You act as if she’s still your girlfriend.”

Nick didn’t say anything. He turned around and went out of the room. Anna stood up. “I’m so sorry that I’ve been a bother to all of you. I have to go now.” She’s disappointed that Nick didn’t do or say anything when Kristin questioned him. There’s really no chance to hope for anything now. Nick made his choice to hold back and let her go. She’ll do the same thing.

“We won’t let you go unless we take you home.” Howie said.

“Yes. Howie is right.” Kevin said, too. Anna wanted to protest that they shouldn’t bother about her but the look from Kevin stopped her. She may not know them well but she can feel when is the right time to do or say something around them, especially now. They’re not going to accept any protest from her; they simply wanted to help and were concerned of her. Today, the three elder people only wanted her to do as they say for her own sake.

“Thank you.” She followed Kristin towards the door. When they opened it, Nick is just about to come in. She met his look.

“The front desk has already prepared a car. I’ll take it from here. I’ll take Anna home.” Nick told them. Anna missed the glare from the other three that they have given Nick. When she turned to them, they are smiling.

“Thanks for the concern,” she accepted the hugs and kisses from the three. In the next moment, she’s walking with Nick down the hall towards the elevator.



Chapter 29 by scarlett

 

 

 

Nick is only silent as Anna tells the driver the directions to the place she's staying. When things are done, she settled back to her seat and closed her eyes. She pulled the jacket that Kristin has given her, closer around her.

"Can you lower the air conditioning?" Nick asks the driver. She opened her eyes. "Thank you, sir." Anna turned to him and found him looking at her. "Are you okay now?" He softly asks her.

"It's a bit warmer now. Thank you."

"I haven't asked you yet. How are you?"

"I'm fine. And you? You really grew thin."

"I'm fine. And don't worry. I eat well and I do exercise." When she only stared at him, he continued. "You used to ask me about that, Anna. You were concerned about my health when you heard the rumor that I'm bulimic." He chuckled. "That's really funny, you know. I'm far from that. I love to eat."

Anna smiled. "You actually looked different, Nick."

"I looked different today," Nick corrected her. "You may ask AJ and the other guys about that." Anna didn't say anything. Nick started to trace her face lightly with his fingers. "I miss you, Anna."

"Nick, believe me when I say that I miss you, too." She tells him.

Nick pulled her closer to him for a warm embrace. Anna closed her eyes as she wrapped her arms around him. She loves this man but she didn't know how to say it. She didn't even know how to tell him if there is a chance between them again. He doesn't show any hint about that.

When Nick tries to kiss her, she turned away. "Nick, I'm sick. You might catch it."

Nick sighed as he pulled away from her. "I'm free for the rest of the day. Let me take care of you, Anna."



~~~



"What happened to you?" AJ asks when he spotted Nick walking down the hall. He just came out from his room. They can hear the noise coming from the inside.

"What's going on in there?" Nick asks him instead.

"I'm having a party. The rest of the gang is there. It's not everyday that I get to have the biggest suite, you know."

Nick smiled. The party won't be any problem since they occupy the whole floor of that hotel. No one will complain. But he didn't expect AJ to be throwing a party just because he happened to have the biggest suite. "I'll go to my room. Goodnight, AJ."

"Huh?" That wasn't expected from Nick. He always goes to AJ’s parties. "What happened to you? How is Anna?"

"I took care of her until her friend arrived. She's sick. Then I helped her pack her things to bring to LA tomorrow."

"Are you together again?"

Nick shakes his head. "I don't know if I'm ready for that now, J."

"Did she ask you about that?" AJ asks.

"No.”

“Nick, do you still feel something for her?” AJ started to get irritated. He felt that he has a special connection with Anna since he’s the closest person that Faye has been with before she died and she told him great things about her sister. He felt as if she entrusted him to look after Anna now that she’s gone. He felt like an older brother to Anna and it angers him that Nick obviously still wanted Anna back but he’s holding on to something. And AJ feels that Anna still have feelings towards his friend. But of course, she’s a woman and she won’t let do the confession first with regards to her feelings. He learned that a long time ago.

“Yes...” Nick was surprised when AJ suddenly grabbed the neckline of his shirt and pushed him against the wall. “Hey!”

“Nick, that’s Faye’s sister and you know how her death deeply affects me. Now, I don’t want you messing it up with her sister! Anna is a good person. If you like her, tell her. If you don’t, tell her. Please, don’t make things hard for her. She suffered enough.” AJ let go of him. “The next time I do something for Anna’s sake, I’m going to make your nose bleed, Nick. Do what you have to do. Be a man.”

Nick drew a deep breath as he watched AJ walked back towards his room. He saw the door was open and Kevin looking at him. “I’m not the only one being a big brother here, Nick.” Kevin said then went inside. AJ didn’t turn around as he close the door behind him.

Nick stood alone in the hall. He’s afraid that’s why he couldn’t tell Anna about his feelings. When he saw her again today, hope surged for a chance with her again. But it seems like it’s easier to say it than do it. There are many things to consider: his family, his career, his fans and the media. He wanted his family, every one of them, to like her. He doesn’t have a problem with the management because it’s not part of his contract with them that they will meddle about their private relationships. He wanted his fans to accept Anna, on the other hand. He remembered Marcus telling him earlier that she was about to get picked on by some fans just in time that the bodyguard showed up. And last, he wanted the media to respect his privacy and that they will leave Anna alone.

He didn’t tell AJ, and Anna, that he talked to their manager before he went back to the hotel. He asked Kenneth and Jared if he can go home to LA on Thanksgiving. He wanted to spend more time with her. He wanted to get the right time to overcome the fact that he’s afraid in confessing his feelings. He didn’t have that luxury of time right now, especially when they are on tour and promoting their new album. He checked on their schedule and that they have an evening show on the day after. He planned to take the earliest flight by the next day. He talked about his plans to them and it was impossible. It’s the peak season and the flights from New York to LA, vice versa, are full. He wasn’t given the permission then. He’s expecting it but then, he tried his chance earlier. Still, the management said no.

Nick bit his lower lip as he slowly walked towards his room. He already cancelled his schedule with Aaron and Angel. He’s thankful that the two understand, especially Angel. He’s going to deal with them later. Right now, he wanted to be alone.



~~~



“Wait...” Nick drew a deep breath as he wears his jogging pants and draped the bath towel over his shoulder. He just came out from the shower when there were consecutive knocks on the door. “Who are you?” He opened the door and his mouth fell open.

“Surprise!”

He stared at the newcomer. “Julie?” He was more surprised when she stepped closer and gave him a full kiss in the mouth.





Chapter 30 by scarlett

 

 

 

“What is she doing here?” Nick asks Angel after he pulled her out from the group. The Backstreet Boys are waiting at the hotel lobby for a service pick-up that will take them to Tower Records for a promo gig and album signing. Julie, on the other hand, is talking with AJ and Katie, his girlfriend. There were several fans outside and the security had already planned the Boys’ exit strategy.

“I told her that we’re here. It happened that she’s in Lower Manhattan with her parents. And that was before Anna came here. Don’t blame me.” Angel replied.

Nick frowned. “Stop meddling, Angel. You don’t know what you’re doing. Plus, I just asked Julie out because you haven’t given me a choice. I don’t want to go out with her after that first date because it bored me to stay with her all night and hear her whine and complain even in just the simplest of things.”

“Hey, don’t blame me.”

Nick glared at her. He didn’t say anything more as he walked back to the group. Julie, AJ and Katie turned to him. He was getting his phone in his pocket at that moment. “We won’t be back until late evening, Julie. Do you have other plans today?” He asks her. AJ and Katie looked at each other.

“Actually, I do.”

Nick smiled as he dialed the number that Anna has given him.

“I would love to go with you.” He heard Julie added.

Nick sighed. “I don’t want you to go with me, Julie. I’m working. I can’t look after you. And can’t you see? Kristin, Leighanne and Katie aren’t coming with us, not even Angel. This is not a family affair. This is work.”

Julie pouted, as if that will affect Nick. He shakes his head at her and turned to his phone. “Hello? Oh, thank God. Lisa let you bring the phone. Are you at the airport already?” His voice is far from the tone he used on Julie. This one is soft and gentle.

Julie raised an eyebrow. She turned to AJ. “Who is he talking with?”

AJ shrugged. “We don’t know, must be his girlfriend.” He grinned.

“He already had a girlfriend?” Julie exclaimed. “Since when?”

Nick ignored Julie as Anna explained her flight details. “Have you taken your medicines, sweetheart?” He intended to add the last one to show Julie he’s not interested in her.

“Sweetheart? Where did that come from, Nick? The last time I knew, we took a break from our relationship.” Anna said on the other line. “And yes, I had my medicines and I’m a little fine now. Thank you.”

Nick walked away from the group and sat on one of the plush sofas in the lobby. “Well, how about if I tell you that the break is over? Let’s go back to what we were.”

“Are you ready for that?” Anna asked him. “This is not a game, Nick. We both know that.” They stayed silent for a long while. “Call me when you’re ready.”

Nick blinked a few times. “Wait, Anna. Please stay in LA for a while. Please wait for me next week.”

“I have a job, Nick. I can’t afford to stay there longer.”

“I’ll make a way for you. Trust me. Just stay there with your uncle for a while, please,” Nick tried again.

He heard her resignation. “Okay.”

“Thank you. I’ll see you next week.” Nick bid goodbye to Anna. When the call ended, he looked up to see Julie. “Can’t you get the message?”

“You’re talking with Anna. Anna Gomez, isn’t it?” Julie said. “Your ex?”

“Yes.”

“I like you, Nick. I like you so much.”

“I already liked someone else. In fact, I love her.”

“You can’t do this to me, Nick.” Julie’s eyes narrowed.

“I already did, Julie. Listen, you’re a wonderful woman.” Nick stood up and held her arms softly. “You don’t deserve me. You can find another one who will love you more than you do but not me. I already have someone else and she had me.”

“Okay, but let me kiss you first.” And before Nick would know it, Julie leaned closer to kiss him fully on the lips.



~~~



Anna’s mouth dropped open when she saw a couple of celebrities kissed, just within a distance from where she and her cousin, Paula, were having their lunch. She turned to Paula. “Isn’t it that she’s already married?”

Paula ignored the couple kissing. “Anna, it’s normal. When you’re here at the land of the celebrities, don’t be surprised who’s hooking up with whom. Some just won’t take relationships seriously. Others even took marriage as a trial and error stage. Just because there’s always divorce, they can marry whenever and whoever they want since they can be separated from them when the love was gone.”

Anna continued eating her food. Later when they’re done, they will go and buy stuff for Thanksgiving. She’s excited to spend it with her uncle and his family. At least, she has someone in this foreign country.

“Speaking of celebrities, why did you break up with Nick Carter?” Paula quietly asked her.

She sighed. “There are lots of things that contribute to it like time, geography, presence, the situation...”

“He seemed to be a nice guy.”

“Yes, he is. He wanted me to stay here until next week when he gets home from New York.” She tells her cousin.

Paula looked at her. “Then, stay. This will be a great time for us to be together again.”

“It’s not that easy. I have work in New York. I just can’t leave it. I need money to live here.” Anna said. “You know that I didn’t ask for anything from my family. I never got any support from them. They totally abandoned me when I put Dad and Uncle in jail.”

“Not everyone because you have us.” Paula corrected her. “Now, let’s go back to Nick. We’ll talk about your living preference later at home and in the presence of Dad. I’m sure he would want you to stay here.” She drinks her water first. “As for Nick, how did your long-distance relationship work?”

“Huge amount of phone bills!” Anna chuckled. “But it’s worth it. I always looked forward to his call every night just to say hi. Hearing it just makes my day. When we broke up, I think I’ve cried a river.” She sighed.

“You love him.”

“Yes.”

“I couldn’t imagine how it worked for you, especially that you haven’t known each other in a long time.”

“We’re attracted to each other, Paula. We didn’t waste time to beat around the bush. He said he likes me and I felt the same. Whatever came in our relationship is both our decision. We didn’t regret it but it hurt me a lot. I don’t want to hope but I wish that when we see each other again, there will be another chance for me.”

“Do it next week, Anna. You know, we only live like this once in our life. Make the most of it.” Paula said. “If it makes you happy and so did he, go. No one will stop you. You’ve worked it together although being apart from each other. You have more chance now that you’re in the same country and Nick, being the rich man that he is, can go anywhere you are just to be with you.”

“I hope that things will work out between us. When I saw him that day, I wanted to hug him and never let go. God, it feels so good to embrace him again.”

Paula smiled. They finished their lunch. When they’re done and ready, they paid the bill and walked out of the restaurant. The grocery is only on the next block that they only walked to go there. They passed by a bookstore first and Paula, being the bookworm that she is, stopped by first to check for anything she may want to buy. Anna browsed on the newspapers and magazines. A tabloid cover caught her eye and she held her breath. Nick is on the front page, at the lower left of the cover. But it’s not the usual picture. It says ‘Caught In The Act.’ And there he was on the picture and kissing a brunette in his arms.





Chapter 31 by scarlett

 

 

 

Nick threw the reading material, if one would call it as it is, in the trash bin and muttered a curse. He didn’t know that there were paparazzi lurking somewhere in the hotel lobby when Julie kissed him. What if Anna sees it? He might lose his chance. He turned to Aaron. It’s Thanksgiving and they are spending it with the rest of the group in the hotel’s restaurant.

“Do you think she’ll see it?” He asks Aaron.

Aaron shrugged. “I don’t know but I seriously doubt it. I mean, by seeing her on the other day, she’s not someone who’d bump into a tabloid and know what Julie did to you.”

“Still, it could happen.”

“It could happen,” his brother seconded him. “But look at the bright side, Nick. It’s weird telling you this because it’s your role to do that. Anyway, just think that you’re in the same country and you’ll be going back to LA next week. You’ll get to see her again. And if may not, you can always go back here in New York to look for her. Anyway, you got her friend’s number. You have a connection with her.”

Nick glanced at the phone in his hand then back to Aaron with a smile. “Thanks, Aaron. Happy Thanksgiving.”

They hugged. “Happy Thanksgiving, too.”



~~~



Anna smiled reminiscently when she saw the familiar Filipino dishes on the table. She missed adobo, a Philippine dish of marinated meat seasoned with garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, and spices, most especially. She heard the voices of her uncle and aunt talking about something as the dinner went on. Paula and her brother are, as usual, arguing again.

Her uncle Mike turned to her. “Anna, we’ve talked about this before you came here. We’re seriously inviting you to live with us here in LA. We’ll help you with all the things that you need.”

Anna opened her mouth to speak but Paula beat her to it. “Dad, she told me that she worries about her job in New York or if she can even find a job here.”

“I, uh...”

Her aunt Luisa smiled warmly. “It’s alright, Anna. We want you to stay here rather than there when you’re alone and just starting. Let us be the family to support you now. There’ll be no problem with us. Paula and Arthur are already working. We’ll be retiring soon. We don’t want to worry so much that you’re just alone there.”

“Maybe, if you’re already settled on your own then that’s the time that we can feel comfortable that you’ll be alright. But right now, we want to help,” Mike added. “You can work here and save your money. And when you have enough to support on your own, paying your rents, food and some bills, then it’s okay. I’m sure that right now, you make several fractions of your salary to get through things. We want to help you lessen your burden for a while. Anyway, this house is big enough for everyone, even for you.”

Anna felt her eyes grew misty. "You're so nice. I feel lucky to have you as a family." She quickly wiped her tears.

"So, that's a yes..." Mike said, hoping.

"Yes, uncle. I'll just go back to New York for my resignation and to get the remainder of my things." Anna said and felt the hugs of the people around her. She saw the look from Paula.

"Are you going to tell Nick Carter?" Her cousin asks her.

"No, not yet."

"Oh, that famous ex-boyfriend of yours," Arthur said. "Have you already seen each other?"

Mike looked at Anna. "Who's that man he's talking about?"

"Dad, it's the guy I told you about, the famous singer, Nick Carter. You saw him at the newspaper I've showed you before who's been linked to Anna during the trial of her dad." Paula explained.

"Oh, I remembered that, Mr. Pretty Boy," Mike chuckled. Anna blushed.

"We've met again before I left New York and he's the reason that I'll extend my stay here until next week when he comes back for their short rest, uncle," she tells him. "If you'll ask me if we're getting back together, I don't know. I can't tell, really. I still love him but if things happened otherwise, I don't know what I'll do..."





Chapter 32 by scarlett

 

 

 

Nick lowered the cap he's wearing as he walked in to the arrival area of the passenger terminal in Los Angeles airport. He wanted to run and see Anna but he had to do some things first. Plus there's this old lady in front of him who's blocking his way. She seemed to carry a lot of things with her and she's only alone. Since he's only pulling one luggage with him, he decided to help along.

"Excuse me, ma'am. May I help you with that?" He politely asks to push her luggage cart.

The old lady turned to him. "I'm not yet old to be helped around," she said. Nick was about to reply when she continued. "But since you're offering, alright. Take me to where the taxis are waiting. I'm tired anyway."

Nick pushed the cart, giving way from the traffic that the old lady has created behind her. "My name is Nick, ma'am," he started the chat to avoid the awkward moment.

"Constancia Montenegro, hijo. Do you live here?"

"Yes, ma'am. Do you, too?" Nick smiled at him.

"I'm a visiting relative. My grandchildren lives here." Constancia replied. "This is going to be a surprise as they don't know that I'm coming." She winked at him.

Nick laughed. He missed his grandparents. They were close and he hasn't got enough time to mourn when they died because he's on tour with the guys. "I hope they'll be glad to see you. Has it been a long time?"

"Yes. How about you? Is there anyone picking you up here?"

Nick shakes his head. "My siblings have their individual appointments today. It's alright. I got my car parked at the pay parking terminal here. If it's okay with you, I can take you where you live. No problem. My schedule is free for the day."

Constancia stopped walking and looked at him. She surveyed him from head to feet. "What is your full name, young man? Take off your cap."

"Huh?" Nick smiled in amusement as he indulged the old lady. He takes off his cap. He couldn't blame her. He's a stranger and asking her for a ride to her place. "My name is Nickolas Gene Carter, ma'am." He takes out his wallet and showed her his driver's license and some cards.

"Well, you're a good-looking man, my dear. Have I seen you before?"

"Maybe not, ma'am." Nick shifted on his other foot. "So how about that offer? Is it okay for you if I take you home?"

"I'm going to Sunset Hills. That's where my son and his family lives. And yes, you may bring me home."

Nick chuckled. "Alright. This way then," he ushered Constancia towards the other way leading to the pay parking area.



~~~



Anna screamed when she almost slipped on the slippery ground in her aunt's garden. Paula immediately came to the rescue. Her cousin shook her head when she found her chuckling instead of blushing pink with embarrassment. "Are you alright?"

Anna looked at her backside and tried to wipe off the dirt from her shorts. "I'm fine, just dirty and sweaty. I didn't know that Aunt Luisa had so many plants enough to start a business." They chuckled. They walked slowly through the slippery dirt path.

"True. Actually, we've already thought about it. Mom is just arranging some stuff before we push through on this." Paula said.

"I can help when I'm settled here. I may not have a green thumb but I can probably scout for landscape architects to agree on a contract with us to supply them with flowers and plants. You know, these are really amazing plants." Anna puts down the potted plant alongside the others. She wiped the sweat off her forehead. "Wow, I'm so sweaty," she grinned. "I'll hit the shower right after this."

"Yeah and I'm hungry, too." Paula dusted off the dirt from Anna's shorts. "Anna, you looked like you've been playing with dirt for a long time." She chuckled. "You've got a little smudge of mud on your cheeks and your hair disheveled. How about if we continue with this tomorrow? This isn't a rush job anyway."

"You're right," Anna followed her cousin as they walked back towards the side path leading to the back door. They stopped when they heard a vehicle parked in front of the house. It is a big black and heavily-tinted Chevrolet van. They wondered who has come. The door on the passenger side opened and revealed their grandmother.

"Get down there, young man, and please help me with my things." The old woman tells the person inside the car.

"Who's she with?" Anna asks as she followed Paula who walked ahead.

"Grandma, this is a surprise!" Paula welcomed their grandmother with a hug. Anna did the same and she turned when the person behind the wheel came out of the van.

"Nick?"



Chapter 33 by scarlett

 

 

 

Anna stared at Nick as he made his way towards them. Her heart is beating fast. What is he doing here? How did he meet their grandmother?

"Oh. Did you know each other, hija?" Constancia asks her. "He's the nice man who offered to take me here. I was meaning to surprise you and I really did." The elder woman seemed too happy about it.

Anna turned to her grandmother when Nick got near. "You went with a stranger, grandma. What if it wasn't Nick who offered to bring you here?"

"I'm a good judge of character. Besides, I insisted to pay the gas before he brought me here." Constancia laughed heartily. Nick scratched his head in amusement.

"Lola Connie is amazing," he says.

"Lola Connie?" Paula turned to her grandma. "You let him call you that?"

Anna is chuckling as she meets Nick's look. He winked at her.

Constancia saw that. "You knew each other?"

"He's my ex-boyfriend, Lola, but now we're just friends." Anna replied. She can feel Nick's eyes boring into her as she said that. It's the truth anyway.

"Oh, he seemed to be a nice man. Why did you break up with him?"

Anna tried not to make face in front of her grandma. Nick is here. Why did she have to delve into further details when the person in subject is here? "He just took you home and you're telling me that he's a nice man, Lola?"

"Isn't he?"

Anna glanced at Nick first before replying. "Of course, he's a nice man. He's a very good man, Lola."

"Hello, I'm here in case you forgot." Nick tells them. Paula chuckled.

"Let's go inside," Anna's cousin said. They brought Constancia's luggage which aren't that many anyway. "Anna and I need to freshen up. We're full of dirt and mud."

Constancia turned to Nick. "Thank you, Nick. God bless you, hijo."

Anna's eyes widened as she forgot about her appearance. She saw her cousin and grandmother walked ahead. She turned to Nick who's looking at her with a smile on his face.

"You're still pretty, Anna. Never mind the mud on your face and on your back." He tells her.

She felt herself blush. "Oh..." She bit her lower lip. "Did you meet Lola at the airport?"

"Yeah, I just arrived from New York."

"It's a coincidence that you helped someone who happened to be my grandmother."

Nick chuckled. "Actually, she's blocking the traffic when she's pushing the cart so slowly. I have to do something because I want to see you immediately. I never thought that she's the one who will lead me to you. It must be fate, huh?" He winked.

Anna thought so, too. Her heart is doing somersaults right at that moment. Could it be a sign? They started towards the house when she heard Nick asks.

"What does Lola mean in your language?"

She turns back to him. "It means grandmother. Lola Connie wanted you to call her your grandma."



~~~



Nick is looking out in the window where he can clearly see his car parked in front. Anna's uncle and aunt arrived a half hour later. They invited him to dinner after he was introduced and he gladly accepted. He never expected this to happen and he's more than happy to acknowledge it. He's very grateful to be able to spend his day with Anna's family.

"Have you switched on the alarm of your car, Nick?" Mike asks him. He turned to the older man.

"Yes, sir." He followed Mike when he's invited to take a seat on the couch.

"I was told about you. It's a coincidence that you helped a person who happened to be Anna's grandmother. You should know how my mom could almost sing songs of praises about you with my wife in the kitchen," they chuckled.

"Is Lola Connie, Anna's grandmother on which side?" Nick asked.

Mike smiled. "Mother side. Anna's mother is my sister. When her family totally abandoned her after that trial she challenged to her father, I and my brothers wanted to take care of Anna. But she seemed to disappear after the case was closed and her father and uncle were sent in jail. It's been our great joy to learn that she's here in the US. I invited her to live with us here until she saved enough to be more independent to live on her own."

"What's her answer?" Nick didn't know how he looked excited at the idea of Anna staying in Los Angeles. But Mike saw that.

"She'll be staying here after she settled her things there."

Mike shakes his head. "Tell me, Nick, what is the real deal between you and my niece because it confuses us. I mean, you broke up with her because she can't manage her time between other things and with you. She accepted it in good faith though both of you seemed not happy about that idea."

Nick drew a deep breath. "I really don't like the idea actually, sir, but circumstances called us to do it at that time. She knows that I'm still here whenever she will need me. I have to go in the backseat then, to give her the time and space from everything that's happening to her. Everyone already knows that we're together and I've been very private about our relationship from the start. I don't want her to experience the pressure of being scrutinized by the media and when the news about us came out, she began to worry more. I don't want to impose more problems to what she already had then that's why we've come to that decision." He explained. "That was always one of the hard things I encountered in my past relationships and they are the ones who'd rather leave me than go on about being 'us'. But with Anna, sir, believe me. She's different. I've never wanted to end what we have between us but we have to. And now that there's an opportunity, I'd do anything to start all over again."

"What are your plans?"

"Anna is a simple woman who can be happy with just the simplest things. I can give her the most beautiful flowers or the sweetest chocolates or any material things she can imagine but she only wants one thing." Nick met Mike's look. "She wants the feeling of being loved, appreciation, respect, trust and good companionship. Her simple celebration and appreciation to the beauty of life is something that inspired me with my own. And it made me love her more. As I've told you, she's a one-of-a-kind woman."

Nick felt his eyes grew misty as he speaks those words. He's never been more in touched with his personal feelings like this before. And he couldn't think of any other woman but Anna. She is, and will be, the only woman in his life.

"As for my plans, I'd just have to present myself to her: what I am and the deep feelings that I have for her. Love is what I can offer to her now. All other things will follow later but this, I have to assure her and show her that she is deeply loved."





Chapter 34 by scarlett

 

 

 

"I hope that you had a good time with my family, especially with Lola Connie. She can be really talkative sometimes." Anna said as they chuckled. They remembered the old lady telling Nick at the dinner earlier about one of Anna's childhood experiences. And of all things, she particularly relayed the part where her granddaughter ran naked at a house party when she was three years old.

Nick continued to chuckle as he shakes his head. They're at the front porch, sitting on one of soft sofas facing the front lawn. "I'm lucky she didn't start telling me the story about World War II. My grandparents used to torment me with their endless stories when I was young," he says.

"Oh, gosh. brace yourself when you meet Lolo Max. That's Lola's husband. He's back in the Philippines and he doesn't want to travel back here after his last heart operation. He's a nice man, my grandpa. I'm sure you'll like her." Anna smiled reminiscently.

They went silent for a moment. Nick is nervous about what to do next. He knows that this is the right moment to settle the unfinished business between them. After this, there's no turning back. He had to be brave to face whatever the circumstances that will come after this. He is also grateful that Anna's family gave them this time to be alone. He knows that they decided to leave them alone after dinner. He noticed the exchanged looks among them and Anna didn't even notice it.

Nick moved his hand to cover hers. Anna immediately turned to him.

"Okay, I can't beat around the bush anymore, Nick. I want things to be clear between us. I'm tired of this thing as if we're playing around. I want to know what's the real deal between us." Anna said.

Nick was caught off guard by her sudden confrontation. He didn't expect that. He suddenly becomes afraid, scared that he might lose her. "I, uh..." His phone rang. "Shit!" Anna raised an eyebrow. "Sorry, Anna. This will take a few seconds." He answered the phone and it was AJ. "Bro, I can't talk with you right now. I'm with Anna. Bye."

Anna looked at him. He's actually shaking and she wondered what's going on with him. When he faced her, she realized that there's something serious he wants to talk about.

"I don't know where to start, Anna. For the past months I've been away from you, it wasn't a great feeling. Losing you is like losing a part of me and I've never felt this to anyone before." He takes her hand again. "Being apart from you made me realize how important you are in my life and I don't want to experience the agony of loss again. I love you, Anna."

"So, what do you want to do now? You want us to be together again? What about that woman you're kissing with at the hotel? And that blonde you went out with a few months ago? You said you love me and that you'll just give me space. And then I'll see you on entertainment news with someone? How am I going to believe that what you're telling me is real?" She took her hand away but Nick firmly gripped it.

"Anna, listen. I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't have done that but I have no choice then. Anna, look at me." Nick says quietly.

"You have a choice, Nick. No one forces you to go out with them."

"That's coming from you now," Nick replied quickly.

"What do you mean?" Anna glared at him.

"God, Anna. Okay, let me clear it all out. I don't want to go out with anyone because I'm waiting and hoping that we'll have another chance. At that time, I was depressed and AJ took me out in a club. He introduced me to this actress but that's just it. We met again after two days but she's just proposing about some business venture with Aaron's shirts so I took her on a luncheon meeting to discuss it because I'm part of Aaron's company. That's just it. As always, I was photographed being with her and we don't care. We know the truth and we didn't let any rumor bother the business partnership we created then. My brother was happy that I made the deal but that's just it."

"That's it?"

Nick cupped her face gently. "That's it."

"What about that woman you were kissing last week?"

Nick drew a deep breath and looked straight in her eyes. "Okay, that one. I admit that I went out with her but just once!" He quickly added the last one when Anna raised an eyebrow. "Angel paired us up and just to indulge my spoiled sister, I took Julie out. We had dinner and she talked a lot during that time. I can't say no to Angel then because she already booked us in this restaurant and Julie was expecting me. I can't let my sister be embarrassed if I stood up on my date. Sometimes, I just can't let my sister down."

"I understand. The conversation, that must be boring," Anna says.

"It isn't if I'm interested with the person but I'm not. Yes, she bored me. I even tried to invite her for a karaoke afterwards but she doesn't want to." He saw her looked down. There was a moment of awkward silence. They let the tension die down between them. They only feel each other’s presence as no one spoke a word. Each must be probably thinking about each other and how to go about their relationship.

Finally, Nick couldn’t take it anymore. "I'm sorry, Anna. I still remain faithful to you. I've never thought of anyone else but you. Anna, I'm sorry." He quietly started.

Anna looked at him. They stared at each other for a while. "I never went out with anyone back in Manila. In New York, there's this guy that asked me out for movies once but that’s it. Just like you, I only went with him as friends...” She bit her lower lip. “I’m sorry, Nick.”

“Ssshh, it’s alright.”

“No, I mean for everything in the past. For neglecting our relationship because I can’t divide my time in between you and the dilemma I had with my family. It’s been really unfair for you. I know how much you wanted to go there and be with me. I couldn’t handle that battle alone too but knowing that I have you who believed so much in me, it made me strong. You should know how it helped me a lot by just thinking about you, about us, that I can go on with my life after that. And that’s why I can’t let you go to Manila because things were so complicated. I had death threats that my lawyer had me under the witness protection program. I never knew that my plan to expose my father and my uncle resulted to something even more, politically. It affected a lot of people and I was worried that if you went there, your life will be in danger. I don’t want that. And I understand that it frustrated you and you felt it’s unfair that I’m pushing you away but I have my reason.” She wiped her tears. “I want to protect you as much as you wanted to protect me from the media. When the news broke out about us, I received an anonymous message that they will get you. Did you know how it scared me so much?” She looked down at their hands holding each other’s. “I still love you, too.”

When she begins to cry, Nick gathered her close. “Ssshh, I’m already here. We’re together again.”

Anna snuggled closer to him. “Do you still want me back, Nick?”

"Yes. I want us to be together again, to be your boyfriend and you, my girlfriend."

"It wouldn't be easy..." Anna muttered. She looked at his hand holding hers and then at his face. He's about to say something when she placed a finger on his lips. "Of course, it wouldn't be easy. What am I saying?" She chuckled. "Things aren't just having it on the good side. There will always be problems, trials to be encountered along the way." She felt her heart beating fast as she braced herself for what she will say next. "And I don't care as long as I have you." She whispered softly. She couldn't help the tears again. "I love you, too, Nick."

"Anna..." Nick pulled her into his arms for another embrace. "Don't cry, baby..." Using the endearment he's been using before brought tears in their eyes. It felt like coming home. "I miss you, Anna. I miss you so much."

She let him wipe her tears as he let her in his. They smiled. "What are we going to do now?" She asks him.

"I have this idea about taking you out for dinner tomorrow night..." Nick replied.

Anna chuckled. "We just had dinner, Nick, and you're thinking about food again?"

Nick only grinned and he leaned closer to kiss her.



Epilogue by scarlett
Author's Notes:

Thanks for reading the story. I hope you like it. Please read and review. ;)

For more stories, you my fanfic site at http://aosfiction.co.nr/

 

 

 

 

 

"Cheers to the newlyweds."

It proposed the toast to the guests at the wedding. The wedding ceremony has just ended more than an hour ago and everyone were already celebrating at the reception held in a luxury hotel. It was very exclusive that only family members and close friends knew about it.

Anna turned to Nick with her usual loving look. He winked at her in return and kissed her. In front, the newlyweds Howie and Leigh shared a kiss as the audience applauded to welcome their union. Anna is one of the lucky people that Howie invited in his wedding. He's the most private person among the group and even Anna promised not to disclose the information to her friends in Manila.

"Excuse me but you aren't the newlyweds," Kristin joked. Kevin rolled his eyes as he planted a quick kiss on his wife's lips, too.

Anna only returned the joke with a smile. She turned to see that Nick is already sharing the toast with everyone. They have been together for almost a year now. Despite of the trials they encounter, they faced it together and overcome every one of them.

When Howie's brother, Johnny, referred the mic to Kevin for a message, Anna felt Nick's hand on hers. He moved closer to her seat and had her leaning against his chest as they watched Kevin take the podium to say his message for Howie and Leigh.

"I've known Howie in a long time and I've seen him fell in and fell out of love several times." Kevin started. "He's the person you would rarely see in a relationship you may think he's gay," there were chuckles. "But seriously though, that's because he's a firm believer of what a true love is. When he and Leigh met, it was as if I've witnessed God was working at that moment. You'd know a person if he's been knocked out by Cupid's arrow, literally. I remember that Howie fell down the chair at that time and Leigh noticed that. My friend surely knows how to get the attention of a woman." Another round of chuckles came. "So now, finally, after years of being together, on and off but it doesn't matter, the moment I've been waiting for came. I was actually with my wife at the doctor and waiting for the official announcement of our baby's gender. Howie called me to announce that he's getting married and I have to ask him to repeat it because he's mixing English with Spanish. You can tell how excited he is. We all knew Howie. He’s a very discreet person even when things make him excited. You can see his usual wide smile but wouldn’t say a lot. So when he told me he’s getting married, that's the day I felt blessed because I learned that I'm having a boy and my friend's having a girl, and you know what I mean by that."

Anna laughed along with Nick. "He can be really funny when he wants to," she heard him says. He kissed the top of her head.

"And the first thing that came to my mind then was to tell him that I wished he'd have a baby girl because there are already two Backstreet baby boys in the family." Kevin raised his wineglass. "To Leigh, I welcome you to the crazy world of the Backstreet family. To Howie, I welcome you to a blissful yet challenging life of marriage. It will not be always be a bed of roses but I'm telling you, when you spend it with someone you love the most, forever is not enough to say you want to spend your lifetime with her. To both of you, may God bless you and I wish you good health and lots of kids." He received a big round of applause when he finished his speech.

Anna felt Nick's hand tightened hers as his name was called to give the next speech. She moved to give way for him to stand up. He lost weight after the world tour that the Backstreet Boys just had. But he looked incredible. She watched as he takes the stage from Kevin.

"Hi, everyone. I'm Nick," Anna chuckled for hearing him stating the obvious. "Well, I'm actually nervous to speak here maybe because it's my first time to experience this, and to have my lovely one around to witness this." He chuckled nervously. Anna rolled her eyes. He can be really corny sometimes.

"So anyway, I'm happy that Howie and Leigh have finally tied the knot. It's about time, you know. I'm one of the happiest people who were delighted about the news when he announced it until he blurted out when will I do the same thing that he, Kevin and Brian did. It ruined the moment because I was in an emotional crisis then. But to answer that, I guess, in time. It will all come in good time," he met her look as he said that. "And it's not because I'm averse into getting married. In fact, I wanted to have my own family, a big family, but I'm finding the right time. Despite the truth about me coming from an unconventional broken home, I have dreams of having a peaceful family that is far from what I had. Just like what Howie told me then, the idea of marriage will come. God will take us to that path in good time."

The guests watched him continue. "As for Howie and Leigh, I congratulate you and I wish you a very good luck in life. I wish you'll be happy amidst the trials that will come your way. You've been through a lot and I hope that you keep up your faith and love towards each other. Thank you for making me part of the entourage. It's a very special thing for me because Howie is one of my best friends. And you never knew how my feeling was as I walked down in between the aisles. It's creepy," there were laughter at that, "but it's wonderful. You can feel the blessings of God and his reason for every one of us, to love one another and now we witness the most wonderful of it all through Howie and Leigh. Congratulations and my best wishes are with you.” He raised his wine glass for a toast.

“Hi, I’m Nick,” Anna joked when Nick went back to their seats. They chuckled. “Yeah, thanks for stating the obvious.” He takes her hand again. He smiled.

“Come on, let’s get out of here.”

Kristin and Kevin looked at each other. They chose to ignore the two as they talked about their plan to escape the reception.

“Wait, Leigh isn’t throwing her bouquet yet.” Anna said. Kristin and Kevin chuckled.

Nick tugged her hand. “Come on, you don’t need the bouquet.” He insisted again. When Anna gave him a silent warning look, he stopped whining. The other couple on their table chose to be oblivious as they watched Howie and Leigh’s speech. Then, the announcement on throwing the bouquet came. All single women were called to gather near Leigh. Anna immediately stood up. Nick looked at her. “Do you really have to?” He asks. Anna stuck out her tongue then went towards the other women.

“Let her,” Kristin said. “I’ve been through that. She’s just enjoying her time.” She winked.

Nick watched as Leigh teased the women and he can clearly see Anna right in front and in the center. When Leigh threw the bouquet, Anna did all her might to jump high and beat the taller woman beside her in getting the bouquet. Wow, talking about determination! He smiled in amusement as she caught the bouquet. Howie and Leigh, on the other hand, are now saying goodbye to the guests.

“I got it!” Anna said happily when she gets back to their table.

“Wow, congratulations!” Nick equaled her enthusiasm and hugged her. They waved at Howie and Leigh who are now about to leave. When the guests are starting to leave, too, Nick excused them from Kevin and Kristin and pulled his girlfriend towards the lobby and to the elevator.

“Where are we going?” Anna asked as they stepped inside and they were the only ones there. Nick pressed the P, towards the penthouse. He only winked at her as a reply and pulled her for another hug. It was quiet for a while as they ride the elevator. They are hugging each other. Nick rested her head at the crook of his neck.

“I love you, baby.”

Anna looked at him. “I love you, too.” It’s been a memorable year for both of them. Their relationship was known by everyone concerned and she was accepted by Nick’s fans. She was even offered an acting job in a drama series in which she refused, wanting to focus more on her own career than be in the limelight like Nick. It wasn’t her type to pursue that path. She found a nice paying job in a travel company in downtown LA. Sometimes, she’d had her share of paparazzi and it embarrasses her, especially when she’s with her co-workers. But most often, they would leave her alone. When Nick would drop by to pick her up, he’s sometimes followed by those paparazzi. He’s used to it but she wasn’t and he was very protective of her. And for a year that they have been together, Nick respected her so much that he never touched her. They kissed a lot but when he will come to the point of getting it all heated up, he’d stop. He wanted her to reserve herself when the time comes when they get married.

Yes, they would sometimes talk about that but nothing serious like him asking her to get hitched. Often, during their idle time, he’d share what he wants, his thoughts and more aspirations he planned for himself and for them. Or sometimes, they’d pig out as if there’s no tomorrow.

The elevator reached the topmost floor of the hotel and when they stepped out, the entire floor is the penthouse suite in which only the rich and famous can afford. Nick is one of them but Anna doesn’t think about his financial status or on how much he can give her. Just having him around is enough for her.

“Nick, I thought that Howie reserved this for their honeymoon.”

Nick chuckled. He shakes his head. “Howie has a surprise for Leigh. He bought the house that she’s been dreaming of for months now and that’s where they are going to spend their first night as husband and wife. Isn’t that sweet?”

“Yeah, but why are we here? You want us to spend the night here? Your house is just a few minutes drive from here.”

“Anna, here we go again. I told you that money doesn’t matter as long as I got to spend quality time with you.” Nick pulled her towards the man-made garden at the southern part of the penthouse. It is overlooking the metropolis and it looks beautiful with all those lights as if stars that come from heaven. The wind breeze blew softly. Nick embraces her. “I took you here because I want to tell you something.”

“What? Staying here is a surprise enough,” She reached out to kiss him on the lips. They kissed for a while and when they pulled away, she noticed the seriousness in his look.

“I’ve got another surprise for you...” He showed her a box that must be hidden in his pocket for a long time. He opened it and there is a diamond engagement ring inside. It shone and Anna knew that it’s very real. “Will you ...?” He choked as he felt emotional with the words. “Will you marry me?”

Anna’s mouth dropped open. She never really expected him to ask. “Nick...” She felt like crying. Her eyes began to grow misty.

“I’m not rushing you, Anna. I know that we’re still both busy with our careers and you still wanted to establish more of yourself in this foreign country. We have been together for a year and yet, there’s still so much to learn about each other and I’d like that. But we’ll have this promise for now. Will you accept this ring, Anna, as I promise that I will work hard with you to have the happy ending that you want? Please – “

“Ssshh,” Anna shushed him. She led his hand to put the ring on her finger. “Promise?”

“Yes.”

“Happy?” Anna looked down to the ring. A promise ring. She turned back to him.

“Very,” Nick replied and kissed her. “I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

Their lips met again in a powerful kiss. It marks the start of a whole new phase between them and their relationship. Someday, they’re going to get married. It’s a happy ending that they both were seeking for. They believe that it will happen one day and they will be ready for that. Once everything in their life is settled, they will make a brand new start of a life together – as husband and wife.







This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9436