Once In A Blue Moon by summer
Summary:

You love, you lose, you learn...then you learn to love all over again. Because sometimes...the place that may seem like the end...may very well be the beginning.


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ
Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Death, Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: Beneath The Moon
Chapters: 64 Completed: Yes Word count: 213628 Read: 116079 Published: 01/05/09 Updated: 08/16/11
Story Notes:

© Copyright 2009, 2010, 2011

You were all that mattered... Then my world was shattered.

Teach me to love again. Give me the strength to try. ...Help me say good-bye.

1. Chapter One by summer

2. Chapter Two by summer

3. Chapter Three by summer

4. Chapter Four by summer

5. Chapter Five by summer

6. Chapter Six by summer

7. Chapter Seven by summer

8. Chapter Eight by summer

9. Chapter Nine by summer

10. Chapter Ten by summer

11. Chapter Eleven by summer

12. Chapter Twelve by summer

13. Chapter Thirteen by summer

14. Chapter Fourteen by summer

15. Chapter Fifteen by summer

16. Chapter Sixteen by summer

17. Chapter Seventeen by summer

18. Chapter Eighteen by summer

19. Chapter Nineteen by summer

20. Chapter Twenty by summer

21. Chapter Twenty-One by summer

22. Chapter Twenty-Two by summer

23. Chapter Twenty-Three by summer

24. Chapter Twenty-Four by summer

25. Chapter Twenty-Five by summer

26. Chapter Twenty-Six by summer

27. Chapter Twenty-Seven by summer

28. Chapter Twenty-Eight by summer

29. Chapter Twenty-Nine by summer

30. Chapter Thirty by summer

31. Chapter Thirty-One by summer

32. Chapter Thirty-Two by summer

33. Chapter Thirty-Three by summer

34. Chapter Thirty-Four by summer

35. Chapter Thirty-Five by summer

36. Chapter Thirty-Six by summer

37. Chapter Thirty-Seven by summer

38. Chapter Thirty-Eight by summer

39. Chapter Thirty-Nine by summer

40. Chapter Forty by summer

41. Chapter Forty-One by summer

42. Chapter Forty-Two by summer

43. Chapter Forty-Three by summer

44. Chapter Forty-Four by summer

45. Chapter Forty-Five by summer

46. Chapter Forty-Six by summer

47. Chapter Forty-Seven by summer

48. Chapter Forty-Eight by summer

49. Chapter Forty-Nine by summer

50. Chapter Fifty by summer

51. Chapter Fifty-One by summer

52. Chapter Fifty-Two by summer

53. Chapter Fifty-Three by summer

54. Chapter Fifty-Four by summer

55. Chapter Fifty-Five by summer

56. Chapter Fifty-Six by summer

57. Chapter Fifty-Seven by summer

58. Chapter Fifty-Eight by summer

59. Chapter Fifty-Nine by summer

60. Chapter Sixty by summer

61. Chapter Sixty-One by summer

62. Chapter Sixty-Two by summer

63. Chapter Sixty-Three by summer

64. Chapter Sixty-Four by summer

Chapter One by summer

 

 

 

It wasn’t supposed to have happened. I was supposed to have one of those lives where I married the love of my life and we bought that little colonial on the corner with the white picket fence and big back yard. Two, maybe three, children should have been underfoot with lazy, Sunday morning brunches and summer vacation car trips to Florida. But things don’t work out the way you want them to and that rainy Friday had plans of its own. Plans that consisted of wet, slick roads, a big rig whose driver took the curve a little too fast and went into a skid, his trailer jack-knifing, and the oncoming car with no way out. It was a fiery scene; the authorities had said death was quick, on impact even. So the only suffering was with those that had been left behind.

That’s the night I learned that when you’re sitting atop the world, you will fall off. Hugh Weston had only been 25. We had been married for two years; just celebrated our second wedding anniversary in a little bed and breakfast up in Vermont. He was a sports writer and had been traveling home from New York City. The weather forecast predicted clear and sunny, but everyone knows how quickly things can change. Weather is unpredictable and the sudden onslaught of the storm hadn’t alarmed anyone.

I got the call after midnight. Hugh had been expected home by ten. When he hadn’t arrived, I wasn’t too alarmed. He was the type to get caught up in something and not realize that an hour, or even two, had passed and he may want to give a phone call so people didn’t worry. That’s who I had thought it had been when the house phone rang, causing our over affectionate chocolate lab, Daisy, to lift her head from her comfortable spot before the fireplace. I had been curled up under a quilt, reading by firelight and answered the phone on the second ring. But it wasn’t my husband’s rich voice that greeted me, instead it was a man who introduced himself as Officer Sterling and he proceeded to inform me that he was having a car sent to pick me up. There had been an accident and they were going to take me to the hospital.

Nothing was ever the same after I found out about Hugh’s death. I tried to carry on like usual but just couldn’t. The house, the town, even my job had too many memories. I needed a change; I had to get away and start fresh, try to get myself back to normal, or at least be able to pretend I was. So I packed my things, said goodbye to my friends and family, loaded Daisy into the SUV and drove. And I didn’t stop until I reached California.

~*~*~*~*~

“I’m setting you up on a date.”

I blinked over the cup of Earl Gray tea in my hand. “Say what?”

“A date. I’m setting you up on a date.”

“Wh… why?” My pristine blue eyes focused more clearly on the woman that sat across from me. Dianna Torres. One of the first people I had met since relocating. We were neighbors and had quickly become friends.

“Because, in the year and a half that you’ve been out here, you have yet to go on one.” She took a sip of her own beverage, her brows raised at me.

I gave a little sigh. “I… I know. But Dianna… you know that…”

She didn’t let me finish. “Morgan, you are 26 years old, not 60. You still have lots of living left.”

I felt a frown crease my forehead. “Dianna..”

“No,” she held up a hand and cut me off. “I understand that you went through a lot, and I know that it takes time. But honey, you have to at least get your feet wet.” Her slender hands set her mug back onto the table. “I’m not asking for a commitment… just one date.”

I chewed my bottom lip and watched her. I know she only meant the best for me, but I wasn’t sure I was ready for a date. Hugh had been everything to me and I still had that empty void inside.

“Getting your life back on track and seeing other men isn’t going to make you forget about Hugh.” She must have been reading my mind. “He’s always going to have a place inside of you, no matter who you meet or how happy you are.”

“I … know.” I could feel the lump rising in my throat. “It’s just… hard.”

“I know it is.” She reached across the table and touched my hand, her coffee colored eyes full of sympathy. “But you moved out here to start afresh, right? And hiding away and not continuing your life is not doing that. You might as well have just stayed in Connecticut.”

I set my own mug down, bringing my hand up and rubbing the back of my neck with it. “You’re right.”

A playful little smile graced her full lips, revealing pearly white teeth. “Of course I am. And it’s just one date. You never even have to see the guy again after.” She paused a moment and grew somber again. “But you have to start somewhere.”

“Okay.” The words were but a mere whisper.

She gave my hand a friendly squeeze. “And don’t worry; he’ll be a great guy. I’ll make sure of it.”

I wasn’t worried about that. Dianna Torres was one of the best judges of character that I had ever met. She seemed to have this way of reading people, peering into your soul and exposing it to her, and instead of feeling violated, it left you wanting to open up completely to this woman. She was vivacious and full of life, lived off the beaten path and those who came in contact with her immediately fell in love. One of the few genuine people left in this world, her husband described her as. She could be pushy and over bearing but with her quirky personality and vigor of life, it never came across that way. Instead, she only seemed like the type that wanted everyone as happy as she was.

She was young, only 35, but had the wisdom and maturity of someone well into their fifties. She and her husband, Manuel Torres, lived next door in a two story Mediterranean, with a fountain in the front and an amazing view of the ocean out the back. He was a contractor and she an illustrator for children’s books. They had turned one of the bedrooms into her own personal studio, and she spent many hours a day holed up inside sketching, drawing, and painting on her latest creation. Art was soothing for the soul; she would tell me and then suggest I try it sometime. Take a class, buy a sketch pad, invest in some water colors. I wasn’t keen on that idea, but she never stopped trying.

“So you um…want some more tea?” I rose from my seat and moved towards the tea kettle.

“Sure, that sounds great.” She nudged her mug towards my direction. “So, do you have a specific type?”

I blinked and peered to the teapot. “Um.. it’s Earl Gray.”

My friend chuckled. “No, silly…type of man.”

“Oh.” Shaking my head a little bit at that blonde moment, I poured Dianna another cup of the hot beverage. “I … dunno. I haven’t.. had to think about that in years.”

She gave a little nod, thanking me for the drink and pulling the cup back towards her. “Do you prefer blonds over brunettes, muscles or lean bodies …artist types or professional business men?”

I gave a little shrug and returned the tea kettle to the stove before sliding back into my chair. “I really don’t know.” I traced my fingers around the rim of the porcelain mug.

Dianna nodded and watched me with a solemn expression. “I’ll just surprise you, how ‘bout that?”

That sounded perfect to me. I sent her a grateful smile and nodded.

She returned the smile and took a sip of her drink. “You’re going to be just fine, Morgan Weston. I’m going to see to that.”

~*~*~*~*~

Hours later, after Dianna had left and I’d cleaned the kitchen; I lay comfortable in a lounge chair outside on the balcony from my bedroom. The view of the coast and the pristine blue waters of the Pacific Ocean were breathtaking; one of the main reasons I had purchased that house. Those waters seemed to calm me in some strange way. Each evening I usually sat in the chair, staring out at the scene, letting my mind go and just relaxing. Daisy would rest her head on my thigh and together we’d relive our days in Connecticut, when we were happy. At least I think she did the same as me, those soulful brown eyes just looked so sad that’s what she had to be thinking on. I would stroke her head, she would put her paw on my leg and we’d reminisce.

Tonight I had other things on my mind. Like this date Dianna wanted to set me up on.

“I dunno, Daisy…” I murmured as I smoothed my hand over her silky fur. “I just don’t know if I’m ready to date again.”

She shifted her head some, turning her gaze in my direction.

“I know it’s been two years … but sometimes it only feels like it was yesterday.” I watched her with a somber gaze. “I’m not over Hugh; I don’t think I ever will be.”

Daisy was my therapist to a point I think you could say. Since Hugh’s untimely departure, she has been the one that I have spoken to and not held back from. I think that’s because I know she isn’t going to tell anyone, or judge me. And in some weird way, when I talk to her and she watches me with those eyes, I think I can feel Hugh. I feel something touch me inside and stir my soul and all the uneasiness, sorrow, and fear fades away. It is in those brief moments that I finally feel at peace.

She lifted her head and nudged my hand with her wet nose.

I watched her, stroking her muzzle for a moment. “It’s okay to keep a part of him, isn’t it?”

She licked at my fingers.

“Is that a yes?” I sat up and smoothed both hands over her head. “Do you think it’s time we both moved on?”

As if in response, she gave a gentle bark and rose to all fours, wiggling some.

That surprised me and I lifted a brow, watching her. “Wow, about time, huh? Is that what you’re thinking?”

Daisy barked again then lifted her front legs off the floor for a moment. I watched as she nuzzled my hand then pulled back and paced before me, giving another soft yip.

“Is something wrong?” I swiveled to the side of the chair, placing both feet on the ground. She didn’t normally act this way.

With another woof, she lifted her front paws into the air again before pacing then turning and suddenly bolting into the house through the open French doors.

I stared at the spot she had just been standing before quickly jumping to my feet and following her. “Daisy!” Maybe she had to go potty, though usually in that case she’d just go to the door and wait patiently for me to let her outside.

But she didn’t stop; instead she cantered down the stairs and didn’t slow till she reached the sliding glass doors in the family room that led into the quaint backyard. And even then she continued to give her soft barks, looking my way and wiggling her body.

I was completely befuddled by this dog who was always so mild mannered and tame. “Okay, girl… calm down, it’s alright.” I reached for the door and undid the locks, sliding it open and watching as she sprinted outside. Maybe she had to potty really bad.

She got halfway to the middle of the yard before stopping and turning to face me, tilting her head to the side and giving another yelp.

Suddenly it dawned on me that maybe something was out there. Carefully, I stepped out onto the back patio and glanced around, the sun was slowly setting, leaving the sky streaked with brilliant hues of red-orange, yellow, pinks and purples and though it wasn’t dark, there were shadows cast across the ground that some small animal could easily hide in. “You see something out here, Daisy?”

She gave a woof and wiggled on all fours, waiting until I had stepped just off the back patio and into the grass before turning once more and heading straight for the edge of the yard. I watched bewildered as she reached the wooden stairs built into the cliff that looked out over the beach, and then with one glance and sharp bark in my direction, she disappeared down them.

“Daisy!” I started for the stairs in a hurried pace. Something strange had gotten into my dog and I had to rein her in before she was trying to swim across the Pacific to Hawaii or Japan.

By the time I got to the stairs and down them onto the beach, my chocolate Labrador was nowhere to be found. I felt a small panic and glanced around, careening my neck to peer further down the beach in either direction. “Daisy!?”

There was no response and I ran a hand through my blonde hair, pushing it from my face and spotting her tracks in the sand. Thank God. I could just follow those, hoping she didn’t get far before I caught up.

Wondering what on earth had gotten into her, I started the way she had taken, her path taking me back up closer to the cliff that jutted out over the sand. It was a few feet before they disappeared around a corner, leading into a little alcove. We were probably three houses down from mine, and knowing that this beach was private; I hoped no one would think I was a trespasser and report me to the police. I didn’t know too many of the neighbors.

“Daisy!” I called again as I rounded the corner and stopped, finding her sitting in the sand next to a white and brown Bernese Mountain dog with a silky coat and friendly eyes. The two were sniffing each other, her tail wiggling wildly in the sand, creating a groove.

Both heads turned as I came into view and the Burmese rose to its feet. Daisy gave a friendly bark, as if letting the other dog know I was family then she tilted her head at me and watched me in a way as if saying ‘what took you so long?’.

I shook my head, carefully keeping an eye on the other dog, though he had settled back into the sand after Daisy’s bark. “What is going on with you?” I snapped my fingers, motioning her to join me. “Get over here.”

But she just cocked her head, a childlike expression on her face.

Next to her, the Bernese was settling down into the sand.

“Daisy.” I frowned and motioned her to join me once more.

But she continued to sit on her rump, an action that was quickly annoying me. She had never before been this disobedient. Did dogs go through hormonal teenage years like people did? Because if so, then maybe she was in hers.

“What is your deal?” I took a step towards her and she plopped herself down into the sand next to the other dog.

I rubbed my forehead and glanced around in hopes of spotting the owner of the Bernese, but there wasn’t another soul in sight. He probably had come from the house up the steps and she had smelled him and gotten the crazy idea she wanted to meet him. She was fixed so I wasn’t worried about any mating and little puppies, but still. This was strange, even more so for my dog.

Deciding the other dog wasn’t going to hurt me if I approached; I moved to Daisy’s side and took hold of her collar, suddenly wishing I had the leash with me. With a swift tug, I soon had her on her feet. “Say goodnight to your boyfriend. We’re going home.”

She gave a little whine but didn’t object, and as I led her away, she turned towards the other dog once more, as if trying to tell him she would be back one day. I cast a glance back as well, finding him watching us with an indomitable expression.

Deeming the whole thing weird, I led her back along the path we had taken, not sure what to think of it or her behavior. “Maybe you’re lonely too.” I mused as I reached our section of the beach and started for the stairs. “You miss having a guy around I think.”

She nudged my leg with her nose and we were soon in the backyard. I finally released her collar and gave her head a little pat. “Everyone’s allowed to have a moment every now and then and that was yours. But no more for another few years, mmkay?”

She licked at my hand and I took that as an apology. Scratching gently behind her ears, I led her back into the house and closed the door, securing it behind me. “You’re forgiven.”

Watching as she trotted towards the kitchen, probably in search of her water dish, I gave a sigh and started for the stairs. Thinking back on Daisy’s behavior as I made my way towards my bathroom and a hot shower, I could only contribute it to the fact that she was lonely. And then I wondered if dogs could go on dates.

~*~*~*~*~

The night was precarious; darkness all around me so thick and black you couldn’t see a hand in front of your face. I could feel the fear in my veins and felt the beating of my heart pounding in my chest. Something was after me, something dark and ominous, so sinister that it would make Charles Manson look like a nice boy. I didn’t know what it was, but I could feel it closing in, the hairs on the nape of my neck standing straight up. I was running blindly in the blackness surrounding me. If I strayed off the path it would have me in a second flat. Nothing could stop it; it was after my own soul.

Trying to push my legs faster, I ducked my head and prayed nothing would trip me up. I knew if I fell, it would be on me and that would be it. Death, so ominous but something no one could avoid. When it came for you, when it was your time, that was it. There were no second chances. And those that did happen to be pulled back, those deemed lucky to have another try at life; well it simply hadn’t been their time. When it was time for you to go, you went.

It had been Hugh’s time, and soon it would be mine, because this thing would reach out to me, wrap its bony, ice cold fingers around my neck and squeeze the life from my body. I could feel the brush of something against my neck and a jolt went through me. I wasn’t ready to die yet; I wanted to live, for many more years. I wanted that happiness I once possessed back. I wanted those lazy Sunday morning brunches and car trips to Florida. I wanted laughter, joy, hugs and kisses.

Something snagged the back of my shirt and I struggled against it. Damnit, it wasn’t my time. I was going to fight it; I was going to live again. The chill moved down my back and goosebumps slowly spread, those icy fingers inching closer to my neck, trying to wrap around it. No! I struggled harder, feeling the fear spreading through my belly as the hand finally enclosed my throat. It began squeezing, choking the breath from my lungs. I fought it, but it was useless, I could feel the burning as my eyes began to water. This was it… it was over. It wasn’t supposed to end this way, I was supposed to live again. No!

With a cry, I jerked awake and sat bolt upright in the bed. My lungs heaved hard beneath the worn t-shirt, my eyes wide. I scanned the room then leaned over to the nightstand, flicking on the lamp. A warm glow filled the room and I rubbed my eyes, finding them damp. The dream still filled my head and I squeezed my eyes, trying to force it out. It was the same dream; the same dream for nearly two years. Something pursuing me, something so evil it made the worst serial killers seem tame.

Only tonight one thing was different. I fought it. Every other night I’d had the dream, when the fingers wrapped around my neck, I didn’t struggle. It was as if I was welcoming death. Each time I’d awake just before the last breath left my body. But tonight… I didn’t want to die. Suddenly I wanted to live.

Daisy moved up from her spot at the foot of the bed and nuzzled her nose into my side.

I opened my eyes and looked to her, stroking my hand along her side. “It’s okay, girl. Just another bad dream.”

She settled down onto the bed and shifted until she was right against me. Her eyes seemed to tell me it was okay and that she was there now. That I would be safe.

I smiled and leaned over, kissing her head. “You’re such a good doggie; even if you do run off to find yourself a boyfriend.” I scratched her head and shifted back to the bed, stretching out and letting her rest her head against my chest.

Daisy was a good companion and she tried to take care of me the best she could. But I missed having that body in the bed with me. I missed having that someone to come home to and share my life with. I missed Hugh. Tears began to fill my eyes and before I knew it, I was giving those silent sobs.

My Labrador was used to my behavior, for she licked my hand in that comforting way and nuzzled against me. She did her best and I was grateful to have her, but suddenly I wanted something more. I wanted to live and I wanted more.

Chapter Two by summer
“You had the dream again, didn’t you?”

I gave a little nod and Dianna pressed a cup of hot coffee into my hands.

“How many times is that this week?” She took a spot next to me on the davenport.

I took a sip of the scalding liquid and held up a hand, showing three fingers. It had been four days since she had announced she was setting me up on a date. And the second time since then that I’d had the dream. And again, I woke up fighting it, wanting to live.

Dianna gave a nod and took a drink of her own beverage. “I still say you should talk to somebody.”

“I don’t need a shrink. I’m not crazy.” The last person I wanted to talk to was a head doctor. They’d only spout off different disorders they were sure I had then prescribe me on probably ten different types of drugs.

“They’re not just for crazy people, ya know.” She tucked some of her curly dark hair behind her ear.

I gave a little shrug and sipped the coffee. “I still don’t want to talk to anyone.”

“You don’t have to. But it might help you understand what’s going on.” Dianna was a big fan of therapy.

I had never actually told Dianna what the dreams entailed; just that they were nightmares and would keep me awake hours on end. She had tried to pry once, but when I refused to give details, she relented and hasn’t asked again. “I’ll be okay.” I blew into the hot drink, my hands wrapped around the mug, letting the warmth seep through me, chasing away the chill.

She was quiet for a few moments then spoke again, changing the subject. “So I asked you over this morning because I have news.”

I glanced her way. “You’re pregnant?”

Her nose wrinkled as she made a face. “God, no. You know I don’t want any little brats running around here.”

“They’re only brats if you raise them that way.”

“I’ll leave the baby making to you.”

I lowered the mug to my lap. “It does take two to procreate.”

“Well… after this next weekend maybe there will be two.” Her chocolate eyes glimmered with amusement.

I blinked and stared at her. “…. What?”

Dianna chuckled and leaned forward, setting her mug onto a coaster on the coffee table. “I’ve found you a date.”

“What? Already? This soon?” I really thought it would take her at least a month. I wanted time to get used to the idea first.

She nodded and shifted sideways to face me, resting her elbow on the back of the couch and drawing one leg up under her. She wore a pair of worn in faded blue jeans and a yellow t-shirt with the name of some art school across the front. “Yes. And he’s a really good guy. I think you’ll like him.”

I watched her cautiously. “Where’d you find him?”

“Down at the joint. He’s just been paroled for assault.”

“Very funny.”

She gave her hearty laugh. “I thought so. Seriously though, he’s a good guy.”

I took another drink of the coffee. “Where’d you find him?”

“He’s an architect and he worked with Manuel on his last project. I met him at the opening a few weeks back. He’s decent, has a good job, comfortable in his finances and is really good looking.” She lifted her brows at me.

I watched her over my mug of coffee, nerves suddenly appearing in my stomach at the thought of having a date. “What’s… he look like?”

Dianna shifted and tilted her head. “Well, he’s tall … about six feet, with dark hair and stunning blue eyes. Has a nice build and a chiseled jaw line. He’s 32 and never been married.”

I gave a little nod. Sounded like a good guy so far. “What’s his name?”

“Andrew Holden.”

“Andrew Holden.” I repeated the name before taking another sip of my coffee. “Sounds like a strong name.”

“Well, he’s a strong guy.”

“Did you um… does he…” I searched for the words.

“Have I told him about you and set anything up?” She chose them for me.

I gave a silent nod and she continued. “Yes, he knows about you and he wants to meet you.”

That made my stomach twist and I had to set my own coffee cup down for fear of spilling it when my hands began to tremble. “What all did you tell him?”

Dianna gave a little shrug. “Just that you’ve been here about a year, you’re from the East … you just got your real estate license and you agreed to let me set you up with someone.”

“Not about Hugh?”

“No, honey.” She touched my shoulder. “That’s your baggage, not mine to give.”

I nodded, very appreciative of that fact. “I … don’t want to meet him alone.”

“You want like… a double date?”

“Yes…” I chewed my cheek some, feeling foolish for being so apprehensive and nervous. “I just… it’s … been awhile and … I…”

Dianna squeezed my hand. “Hey, it’s okay. Baby steps…I get that. Okay, I’ll set something up. You have any preference for when?”

I was glad that I had met and become friends with Dianna. Everyone needed a Dianna Torres in their lives. “Uh…maybe next to never?” I twisted a hand in the bottom of my shirt, suddenly not sure if I wanted to do this anymore.

“How ‘bout I just pick something and let you know.”

“That works too.”

She nodded and leaned, picking her coffee cup up once more. “Good. Now … tell me about the latest house you sold and how much commission you made from it.”

~*~*~*~*~

Tuesday afternoon Dianna called to inform me that our double date was scheduled for Saturday evening promptly at seven pm. We would be going to Malo, a trendy Mexican style restaurant on Sunset Ave in Los Angeles. Sticking true to Manuel’s roots I teased her. She laughed and told me she’d be coming by Thursday to take me shopping because she was sure I didn’t have anything date worthy in my closet. I agreed and we hung up.

I stared at the phone a few moments after replacing it in the receiver. A date… with a handsome architect named Andrew. Was this the right thing I was doing? Hugh wouldn’t have wanted me alone and miserable… but was I really ready? The idea of going on a first date again petrified me, but I had to push through. Dianna wasn’t going to let me out of it and if I even tried, she’d just end up bringing everyone here and whipping up some lasagna or something. Besides, she had told me this was just me getting my feet wet. I didn’t have to see him again after if I chose not to. That squelched the knot forming in my stomach somewhat and I finally moved from the kitchen to the family room.

Daisy was standing at the patio doors staring outside, patiently waiting. She glanced my way when I entered and shifted her back legs, a tell tale sign that she had some business to take care of.

“I’m sorry, hon.” I made an apologetic face and crossed the room to the door, unhitching the latch and sliding it open. She was outside in a flash, her head low as she began to sniff along the ground, trying to find the perfect place to do her thing. I stood observing her a moment, half expecting her to canter out of the yard and back down to the beach, but she behaved, instead squatting to relieve herself.

I left the door open and moved to the large mahogany desk against the opposite wall, sinking into the chair and pulling my work folders from the desk drawer. I had a few houses I was going to be showing tomorrow and I needed to make sure I was prepared and knew my facts. That was the worst thing; going into a house showing unprepared and knowing nothing about the place. Who wants to buy a house from someone who can’t tell them anything about it?

Thirty minutes late I lifted my head from the fact sheet I was pouring over and glanced around, finding the house a little too quiet for my benefit. “Daisy?” Whenever the place was too quiet, it usually meant the Lab was getting into something she shouldn’t be; like the potted plants or my shoes.

There was no response and I leaned back in the chair, glancing around the room and down the hall into the kitchen. “Daisy?” I called a little louder.

Still no response, so I rose from my chair, noticing I hadn’t shut the patio door yet. Maybe she was still outside, sunbathing.

Reaching the doors and stepping outside, I glanced around, finding the backyard empty. “Daisy?” I called a bit louder, expecting her to come around from the side of the house.

But no chocolate Labrador came racing towards me and I began to panic; what if someone had taken her? My eyes scanned the yard once more and then landed on the wooden stairs. That mongrel had probably snuck off once more.

I made it to the steps and onto the beach, still finding no Daisy. I did find a girl that looked no older than ten building a sandcastle.

“Um, excuse me?”

She looked my way, her red hair tied in pigtails and her nose and cheeks spotted with freckles. “Yeah?” Her little hands never stopped packing the sand firmly into the bucket.

“Have you seen a chocolate Lab go by?”

She pointed in the direction Daisy had gone almost a week ago then turned back to her task at hand.

I called out a thank you and hurried that way, knowing exactly where to go and wondering if the Bernese Mountain dog would be back as well.

They were both there; lying together on the sand and letting the sun warm their bodies. It was a sweet sight and if I hadn’t been annoyed at Daisy’s antics I might have wanted to get a picture. Yes, Daisy was now officially a teenager.

Moving to her side, I dropped down into the sand next to her and ruffled her head. I was relieved that she hadn’t been snatched by any dog-nappers, but annoyed that she was now sneaking out of the house. “You have got to quit sneaking away from me.” I said as she lifted her head and tilted it some, enjoying the scratching behind her ears that I was now doing.

Next to her, the Bernese watched me with keen eyes before giving a yawn and stretching in the sand, deeming me harmless.

I noticed he wore a black collar decorated with little skulls. “Do your owners know you’re out here?” I questioned him as Daisy shifted and about lay in my lap, knocking me onto my butt. I laughed low at that and gently pushed her from my legs. “Careful there, girl.”

She licked at my hands then settled back next to her partner in crime.

I leaned over and kissed her head then gently reached towards her friend. “What’s your name, huh?” I held my hand near his nose and let him sniff at me, watching as he gently licked my palm. I was no threat to him he seemed to be informing me. Relaxed, and not worried about him trying to take a bite out of me, I gently lifted the silver tag that hung from the collar, reading what was etched on it. His name was Bernie and there was a phone number under that.

I gave his head a gentle pat before standing and brushing the sand from my jeans. He had to belong to the people that lived up from the beach there. I wondered if they knew their dog had a private little love nest in the alcove. Snapping my fingers, I got Daisy’s attention and motioned for her to come. “C’mon, I know you wanna stay with your lover boy, but I have a lot of work to do.”

She slowly rose to her feet then shook her body, sending pieces of sand flying every which way.

“Thank you for that.” I chuckled and dusted myself off.

Sending me a look I was sure that was telling me that was what I got for dragging her away, she trotted past me and headed back down the beach towards our house.

Bernie watched without moving a muscle and I studied him for a moment. “I sure hope you aren’t worrying your people sick, and they know you’re down here.”

He just looked at me with his sullen brown eyes, his head resting on his front paws.

I gave a little sigh and nodded my head. “Yeah, I’m sure they do.” Then I turned and headed back along the path, watching as Daisy trotted along back to our backyard, pausing only once to sniff at a piece of driftwood.

~*~*~*~*~

“Daisy has a boyfriend.”

“She what?” Dianna watched me a little confused.

I looked over the black skirt that she had put me in, smoothing it some. “Do you think this is too short? I think it’s too short? Is it too short?” I turned my gaze back to my friend. “Well, a dog-friend. Is that the right word?”

She was staring at me, a little confused by my announcement. We were standing in one of the dressing rooms at Nordstrom’s, trying to decide what I should be wearing on my first date. “Where did she get this …dog-friend?”

“She met him on the beach.” I turned to examine the skirt from the back. “Maybe I should wear pants.” I was trying to get myself used to the idea of the date, running over and over in my head ‘just getting my feet wet’.

“No, you should wear this skirt. It shows your fabulous legs off.” She pursed her lips at me, not liking the pant wearing decision. “Well, I think its wonderful Daisy found herself a dog-friend. Now they can have little puppies and live happily ever after.”

“No, she’s fixed. There won’t be any little puppies.”

“Then you’ll have to adopt some.”

I chuckled low and slipped the skirt off, pulling my jeans back on and buttoning them. “Yeah, no. One dog is more than enough for me. She’s been sneaking out to see him.”

“Ooh, a rebel dog.”

“More like a teenage one in love.”

Dianna chuckled low and gathered the skirt. “So, we’re taking this. Now we just have to find you a top.”

I smoothed my clothes and slipped back into my shoes, grabbing up my purse. “Yeah, I suppose.”

My friend undid the latch on the dressing room door and pulled it open, exiting out. “I saw some really nice ones out here. We’ll find one in no time.”

I followed her out, trailing behind as she made her way between the racks of clothes. “You do realize that it’s been like … over five years since I’ve been on a first date.”

“Things haven’t changed, Morgan.” She began rifling through different brightly colored tops. “And you’ll have Manuel and me there. It’s going to be just fine. Andrew is a really great guy and I know you’ll like him.”

I nodded. “I’m just getting my feet wet.”

She cast a glance my way. “That’s all I ask.”

“Baby steps.”

She pulled out a teal, sleeveless, flyaway top and held it towards me, tilting her head and squinting her eyes some as if she were imagining it on me. “That’s right, baby steps.”

“Daisy has a boyfriend.”

“A dog-friend.” She corrected me.

“Right.” I nodded my head firmly. “A dog-friend.”

Dianna paused and looked at me. “That’s symbolic, right? She’s moving on and found another male companion. Showing you that … you can do that as well.”

I lifted my brows. “Well... it’s a little different. Hugh wasn’t her husband.”

“It’s still symbolic.” She shoved a few shirts my way. “Let’s try these on.”

Back to the dressing room we went, Dianna running back and forth between the floor and the room I was in, tossing different shirts my way. After about the 500th top, we finally found the one that she deemed good enough and paid for my purchases, making a pit stop at the Smoothing King before continuing on our way to Aldo’s where we were sure to find the perfect shoe, as my shopping partner explained it.

“I had the dream again last night.”

Dianna glanced to me as we strolled the corridor towards Aldo, sipping on our strawberry and banana smoothies. “How many times this week?”

“Just last night.”

“Are you ever going to tell me what it’s about?”

“No.” I shook my head.

“I still think you should talk to a therapist.”

I made a face. “I don’t need a therapist. I’m okay. I agreed to this date, right?”

“Right.” She watched me a moment before speaking again. “This is your time, Morgan. You moved out here for a new life and that’s what you’re getting. And there are some things that will have to be left in the past. But you won’t lose your memories.”

I stared into my drink, her words hitting home. When I spoke, it was low and in an uncertain tone. “What if I do?”

She shook her head, her curls softly brushing her cheeks. “Time has no hold over memories of love. You won’t forget them; they’re too important to you. Hugh’s memories don’t have to go anywhere. You just have to learn to make room for new ones.”

I gave a nod, feeling that lump forming in my throat. Hugh’s memories were the most important thing to me.

Dianna reached out and gently touched my shoulder. “It’s time you learned to let him go.”

“I don’t want to betray him.” My blue eyes shone with tears.

She gave a sympathetic sigh. “You’re not betraying him. You honor his memory but you also make room for new ones, with someone new, who will honor his memory with you.” Her fingers brushed my shoulder as she pulled her hand back. “You let him go, Morgan. Hugh is gone, but you’re not. And you have to live your life. You have to be happy.”

I gave a nod and wiped at the corners of my eyes, taking her words to heart. Bits and pieces of my dream came back to me and I thought on how it had changed to me struggling to live at the end. I think my subconscious was telling me something; I wanted to be happy too.
Chapter Three by summer
Author's Notes:
I'd love to hear what ya'll think about this story so far. Reviews would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to Sapphire for her thoughts.

 

 

“You look hot.”

I glanced down at myself, taking in the flirty, black skirt and purple halter with a beaded empire waistline. “Thank you.”

Dianna gave her broad grin and slipped an arm around my shoulders. “Andrew’s eyes are going to bug out when he sees you.”

A slight blush crept over my cheeks. “Maybe I should go home and change.”

“No, no, no.” She began steering me towards the doors of the restaurant. “You’re staying exactly like you are.”

“Are you sure this is such a good idea?” Knots were forming tighter and tighter in my stomach. And I suddenly didn’t want to go inside. “I can wait in the car.”

“Nonsense.” She waved away my nerves.

“Dianna…” I placed a hand on my belly. “I think I’m going to be sick.”

“You’re acting worse than a bride on her wedding day.” She got us inside Malo and greeted the maître d'.

“I can’t help it. What if he.. he turns out to be some …” I lowered my voice, “…sexist, piggish, snob?”

“He’s not.” She was brushing my nerves off with a mere flick of her fingers, like one would react having found lint on their clothing. She was treating me like lint. I frowned at that but followed along with her through the tables and to the corner booth where her husband sat with a tall, dark and handsome man.

They both rose upon our arrival and Manuel kissed his wife’s cheek before doing the same to mine. I squeezed his arm then stepped back as Dianna greeted my date. She gave him a warm hug, commenting on how his suit made his piercing blue eyes stand out so strikingly. Manuel reminded her that Andrew was my date and he was hers then tugged her into the booth with him, allowing the handsome gentleman to finally look my way.

“Um…h…hi…” the words wanted to stay stuck in my throat. He was a beautiful man; with tanned skin, boyishly handsome good looks, soft dark hair and those piercing blue eyes.

He smiled and it reached his eyes, the corners crinkling. “You must be Morgan. It’s nice to finally meet you.” And then his hands were enveloping mine. They were large and thick, but surprisingly warm, and his touch gentle.

I couldn’t help but smile. “Yes… and … you’re Andrew.”

“That’s right.” His teeth were so straight and white.

“It’s nice to meet you. Dianna talks very highly of you.”

Andrew chuckled and smoothed his suit jacket. “Likewise, I don’t believe she has stopped once since I learned about you.”

I felt my cheeks growing warm and peeked over to her, finding her smirking my way with a rather ‘I told you so’ look about her.

“Well, here…have a seat.” He motioned towards the booth and I thanked him, slipping into it and setting my purse between me and the wall. He slid next to me and I felt his arm brush mine, the fabric of his jacket tickled my bare skin and a few goosebumps rose.

“So, Dianna tells me you’re from Connecticut.” His voice was a rich baritone and it matched him perfectly.

“That’s right.”

“I spent a few summer’s in Connecticut.”

I watched him. “Really? What part?”

“Just south of Redding. My aunt and uncle lived there for about five years and for two summers I went out and helped around their farm.”

I flashed a little grin as our server came over and introduced herself as Brandi, letting us know that she would be taking care of us and wondering what we’d like to drink.

After taking the drink orders and leaving us to look over the menus, Dianna spoke up from her spot across from me. “Morgan does real estate.”

“Yes, I remember you telling me that.” Andrew gave a little nod. “You just got your license for it, correct?”

“Right. Three months ago, in fact.”

“What did you do before that?”

I gave a little shrug and flipped a page of the menu. “Some PR work.”

“PR to real estate; that’s quite a change.”

“Yeah…” I tucked some hair behind my ear. I didn’t want to give too much away and I didn’t want to get into why I moved careers. “Well, everyone needs a change every once in awhile, right?”

He must have sensed something in my voice because he dropped it and the next few minutes were spent pouring over the menu and trying to decide what we all wanted. Brandi returned with our drinks and promised to return in a little bit for our orders. Then she hurried on her way to the next table. We took another little bit before everyone was ready and our server returned, taking the orders and heading to the kitchen to turn them in.

Once she was gone, and we were all settled in the booth sipping our drinks, Dianna turned the conversation onto Andrew. “He’s from Sonoma Valley in Northern California.”

“Ooh, wine country, right?”

Andrew chuckled low and gave a little nod. “Right. My grandparents actually own a vineyard.”

My brows lifted. “A real vineyard?”

His eyes met mine. “A real vineyard.”

“Wow, that’s really neat. Do they sell their wine to different companies?”

He nodded and relaxed back into the booth. “Some they do. They also make their own.”

“I bet it’s so beautiful up there.”

“It really is. I recommend you take a trip up there sometime. It’s something everyone should see at least once in their lifetime.”

I nodded at that, looking over the table at Dianna and Manuel. “Have you two ever been up that way?”

“A few times.” Manuel Torres answered, his big, burly arm wrapped comfortably around his wife. “It’s like a whole different world compared to Southern Cali.”

I gave a little nod, imagining the clear air and miles upon miles of vineyards, with the hills and valleys and beautiful coastline. “Maybe I should have moved there.”

“We like you right where you are.” The other female replied.

I sent my friend an appreciative smile and fiddled with the straw in my glass.

“Do you like California so far?” Andrew questioned, resting his arm onto the back of the booth behind me, the fabric of his jacket giving the slightest brush against my shoulders.

“It’s a lot different than Connecticut, but I like it. I think my favorite part is the weather.”

He gave a good natured laugh and I found myself liking the way his eyes crinkled at the corners. “Yeah, those Northeastern winters could be pretty rough, huh?”

“That’s putting it mildly.” I shook my head some. “I do not miss shoveling snow or having to dress all up just to go to the mailbox.”

My date made a little face. “That’s why I only went to Connecticut in the summertime.”

“Smart move.”

He chuckled and squeezed my shoulder.

Just then the food arrived and we spent the next few minutes getting the dinners situated and busying ourselves with eating. Manuel told some story about some of the construction guys that worked for him that ended with one of them getting beamed in the shin and having to go to the ER for stitches.

I winched a little bit and Andrew shook his head. “Those guys have got to be more careful.”

“That’s exactly what I told them.”

Wiping my mouth with a napkin, I turned to Andrew. “So, Dianna tells me you and Manuel worked together?”

“That’s right.” He gave a nod and set his glass down. “One of the new office buildings downtown. Manuel had been the contractor hired and I was doing the design.”

“How long have you been in that field?”

“Since college … I love it too much to even want to do anything else.”

I smiled at that; he sounded really passionate. “Have you done a lot of buildings?”

“A few.” He took a bite of his taco and wiped his mouth before speaking again. “One in New York and a couple here. I mostly stick to houses though.”

“That’s so fascinating. You must be very creative.”

“Well, I do try to be.” He flashed a warm smile my way.

Manuel questioned him about what projects he was currently working on and the next few minutes of conversation were filled with architectural talk, something I wasn’t too familiar with. Andrew did his best to answer any questions and explain the different terms, but Dianna and I both finally gave up and fell into a discussion about a new movie that was coming out we wanted to see.

“We should all go see that next Friday.” The words blurted out before I think she realized what she was doing.

I blinked, wondering if she meant … her and me… or her, me, Manuel and Andrew.

Next to me, my date looked her way. “What movie?”

I felt a sudden panic inside. No, this was supposed to be just one date; baby steps. I sent her a discreet look, hoping she would pick up on that.

Either she was oblivious or trying to ignore me. Instead, she informed him of what movie and suggested we all go see the 9:30 and have dinner first.

Manuel said that sounded great and I could feel Andrew watching me. I met his gaze and tried to give a smile.

“Is that okay with you?” He watched me with curiosity and concern.

“Uh …” I hated being put on the spot. “Well, honestly …I don’t know.”

“Morgan…” Dianna was sending me look. It was my turn to ignore her.

“You’re um… you’re a great guy and all … but I… just don’t think I’m ready for another date that soon.”

Andrew watched me for a second longer then gave a little nod. “That’s okay. Keep it a ladies night.” He directed the last sentence over to Dianna.

She sent me a frown and I scowled in her direction.

Manuel suggested maybe another time and then changed the subject.

The rest of the dinner went smoothly despite Dianna’s disapproving looks my way every so often. I did my best to ignore them and forced myself into a pleasant conversation with Andrew about Sonoma Valley and northern Connecticut. He didn’t seem offended by what had happened and I didn’t let it bother me.

An hour later we were finally exiting the restaurant. Dianna and Manuel walked ahead of us a little ways, giving us plenty of privacy.

“I had a good time.”

I smiled. “Me too.”

“Thank you for letting me buy you dinner.”

“Well, thank you for doing so.”

He had his hands shoved into his pockets. “Would you mind if I called you sometime?”

I peeked my eyes his way, mulling that question over in my head. ’You let him go, Morgan. Hugh is gone, but you’re not. And you have to live your life. You have to be happy.’ Dianna’s words echoed in my ears and I finally nodded. “I think that would be just fine.”

Andrew slowed as we approached the Torres’ car. “Great.” He reached out and touched my arm. “I’m glad you agreed to let Dianna set us up.”

I turned and faced him, wondering if he was going to try to kiss me. He wouldn’t, would he? No… especially not in front of Manuel and Dianna. That calmed my racing heart and I returned the friendly smile he was offering. “I am too.”

“We’ll have to do it again.”

“Sometime. Yeah.”

His large hand enveloped one of mine. “I’ll give you a call soon.” Then he was brushing his lips across my cheek and I could smell his aftershave; spicy and warm.

I bade him goodnight and he pulled open the back door on the Honda Civic. I slipped into the vehicle with a ‘thank you’ and he wished Dianna and Manuel a good night, promising to be in touch with them soon. We watched as he hurried over to his own vehicle and slipped behind the wheel. Manuel shifted the Civic into drive and pulled from his spot, heading for the exit.

“So …” Dianna turned her lively eyes on me. “That was fun, huh?”

I met her gaze and gave a nod. “Yeah, he’s a nice guy.”

“How come you didn’t want to go on another date? It’s just the movies.”

“I just wanted to get through this one first. This is … hard enough as is. I … really don’t need the pressure of a second date right now.”

My friend gave a little nod. “You’re right. I’m sorry … I think I just got caught up in it. I mean, you two were hitting it off pretty well.”

I held up a hand. “It’s okay. I did tell him he could call me.”

“That’s a start.” She smiled softly and for a moment I thought she looked somewhat proud.

I felt somewhat proud too.

~*~*~*~*~

Daisy was out the door the minute I unlatched it and had it open enough for her to fit through. Poor thing had been cooped up all evening and probably had to pee something terrible. I flipped the back patio light on so she wasn’t wandering around in the dark and left the door open enough for her, then headed towards the kitchen, removing my earrings as I walked. Setting them down on the counter, my eyes darted back towards the backyard. I should probably go out there and monitor her. I didn’t need her taking off and going down to the beach at this time of night.

Before I had a chance to do just that, the cream colored phone hanging on the wall gave a shrill ring, cutting through the quiet in the house like a knife. It surprised me and I gave a jerk, grabbing it up on the second ring.

“Hello?”

“Hey, honey.”

“Mom. Hey.” The clock on the microwave said 10:15pm. That meant after 1am in Connecticut. “What’s wrong? Is dad okay?”

“Your father is just fine. He’s in his chair in the den snoring away.” Miriam Huntley’s voice flowed through the line.

I left out a relieved breath. “Why are you calling so late?”

“Well, I tried to reach you a couple hours ago and there was no answer. So I was just checking to make sure things were okay.”

I gave a little nod and lifted myself up and onto one of the barstools at the counter. “Yeah, things are fine. I was just out with Dianna and her husband.”

“Oh good.” My dear mother had been so worried when I announced the move to California, but being a good mother, she supported me. That didn’t stop her from fretting from afar and she would call often to make sure things were going well. She and my father worried, she would inform me in just about every conversation. Losing someone is never easy, but getting through it on your own must be next to impossible.

“How are you?”

“Oh, I’m managing. How is Dianna?”

“She’s good. She’ll have another book coming out next month.”

“I’ll have to check that out.”

I peeked my eyes to the phone, knowing she was waiting for me to tell her what I had been out doing, or give her an update on how I was feeling. I would do neither. “How’s daddy?”

“Oh, your father is your father. He’s taken up golf.”

“Golf? Really?” I arched a brow.

“Yes and he thinks he can practice in the den. He almost put a hole in the window.”

I chuckled low at that mental. “I’m sure you banned him to the backyard.” My parents were the couple that complained at each other so much some wondered how they stayed married. Despite all the nit picking, they remained very much in love.

“I sure did. And he looks absolutely ridiculous in his plaid golf pants and that hat.”

“He bought golf pants?”

“Yes!” I could hear the unbelievable tone in her voice. “The kind that you pull the socks up over. At least I think that’s how it goes.”

That made me laugh.

“Next he thinks he’s going to get me out there.”

I laughed more. The thought of my mother out on a golf course brought tears to my eyes. She would be hitting more grass and sod then she would the ball. Then she would get frustrated and just pluck the ball up, carry it to the hole and place it right in there.

She gave a chuckle. “I’m glad you find that thought so amusing.”

“Aww, mom…” I wiped the corners of my eyes and took a breath. “I’m sure with enough practice you would do great on a golf course.”

“Who am I kidding?” I could almost see her shaking her head. “I’ll leave the golfing to the people that can actually hit the ball.”

I laughed low and peered towards the back door; Daisy hadn’t come back in yet. Hell, she was probably cavorting with her boyfriend.

“So, you’re doing okay, Morgan? Honestly?” My mother’s voice grew serious.

I rubbed my forehead, knowing better than to lie to my own mom. “I’m … okay.”

“I worry about you.”

I could feel tears pricking my eyes. “I… I know you do.”

“I wish you would come home.”

“I… I’m making this my home, mama.”

A sigh. “Maybe your father and I will come for a visit.”

I cleared my throat and wiped under my eyes. “I think…. I need a little more time.” My words were soft.

“Morgan, you can’t keep us away forever.”

“I know…” Tears threatened my vision. I was scared though. Scared they’d come out and bring all those memories I was trying so desperately to avoid. This was a fresh start and tonight had been my first date since Hugh. I finally wanted to be happy again and my parents showing up with the ghost of Hugh was scaring me to death.

“We’re so worried.”

“I just need more time.”

“Morgan…”

“Please, mama…I just …need more time.” The words echoing throughout my head as I spoke them. That’s all…just more time.

Chapter Four by summer
Author's Notes:
Please review. Thanks to those that already have.

 

Sunday morning I took Daisy for a walk on the beach. She was leashed this time so there’d be no running off to go find lover boy. The sun was warm, but a cool breeze was blowing in from the water and I was glad I wore a light jacket. Daisy and I didn’t walk the beach too often; she would get distracted too easily with the sea gulls, waves and sand creatures. We’d often end up taking half the beach home with us. But today I wanted the solitude I knew the private oceanfront would provide us with. I wanted time to think; about the date, my parents … Hugh.

After telling my mother good-night and hanging up, I had collected Daisy and retired to the bedroom. A nice hot shower had provided me with the solace I needed to have a good cry. It was hard not having seen my parents since the move and they so desperately wanted to come visit… but I wasn’t sure how well I would handle it. I was going to have to think about it and gauge how I felt with things. I had taken my first baby step last night; maybe this could be another one.

Daisy gave a tug on the leash and I looked to see her burrowing her nose into the sand.

“You’re going to get yourself bit by a crab.” I chuckled and gently tugged her away.

She looked to me then wagged her tail and ran off towards the water’s edge. She only got as far as the leash would let her.

Slowly, we made our way along the sand. I watched the waves as they gently moved up onto the beach, as if gently kissing it. Daisy didn’t seem to be paying any attention to the beauty of it all as she ran here or there, tried to jump at the waves a little farther out, sniffed at a shell or stuck her nose into a hole. It was precious; how unabashed about life she was. I was beginning to wish I could have her carefree and happy-go-lucky attitude. It must be easy to be a dog.

Lifting a brow at being envious over Daisy’s attitude, I perched myself onto a large piece of driftwood, looping the handle of the leash up and to my elbow, allowing the chocolate Lab a little more room to explore. I watched her as she began to make herself familiar with the wood I was sitting on. Thankfully she didn’t mark her territory and moved on to explore something else. With a sigh, I stretched my legs out and watched the waves cresting. There were many days I felt like the ocean; angry waves and dark waters, many hidden and unknown regions. That was my life. Or what had become my life.

Why had things taken the turn they had? What had I done to deserve this? Those questions had burned my mind for nearly two years and the answers weren’t becoming any clearer now then they’d been the night of Hugh’s death. I didn’t know why the universe had decided to shaft me and leave me alone and terribly afraid. I thought moving to California would help me; starting over and getting away from everything that had been us. But nearly two years later I had gone on my first date and didn’t feel any better, or different.

It made my heart ache.

I longed for Hugh; longed for that safety and warmth. For the love that we used to share, the passion that was in our souls. And I didn’t understand why he had been taken away. Why him? Why me? And why couldn’t I find happiness again? That’s all I wanted; to feel at peace and be happy. I deserved that. Two years of pain, having my world crumble around me, trying to move on with my life when there was so much holding me back. How does one overcome all that?

Just then something white filled my vision and I blinked, jerking back and turning to see a man standing next to me, offering me a handkerchief.

He noted the expression on my face and gestured with the white cloth. “Go ahead, it’s clean.”

I hadn’t even realized I’d been crying. Embarrassment flushed my cheeks and I took it, wiping the tears and clearing my throat.

Daisy trotted over as the newcomer joined me on the driftwood, sniffing at his jean clad legs. She let him gently pat her head as she checked him out then suddenly tried to climb up in his lap.

I blinked and pulled her down. “Daisy!”

“Hey, it’s okay.” He gave a chuckle and brushed some sand off. “She’s just saying hello, aren’t you?” His hand affectionately rubbed behind her ears and her tail thwapped against the sand.

I smoothed the kerchief between my fingers and watched as my dog wallowed in the attention from this man. A black cap was pulled low on his head, wisps of dark hair peeking from beneath. He wore blue jacket made from a light material, the collar turned up to keep the wind from his face. He had a neatly trimmed beard that covered just his chin then lined his jaw up to his ears. But what I took most notice of were the tattoos on his hands. He wasn’t holding them still enough for me to make out what they were exactly, but I could see they adorned his fingers and the back of his hands. Peeking to his body, I wondered if he had any more hidden away.

Daisy finally turned her attention elsewhere and was back off exploring again. I watched her trying to catch a sandpiper before feeling his gaze on me.

Turning my head, I was met with round, deep and tender, dark eyes. Something twitched in my chest and I had to take a breath.

“It’s not very often I come across women sitting on driftwood, crying.” His voice was husky and smooth.

A blush tinged my cheeks. “I… don’t do this often.”

“Hey, no need to explain to me. You can sit out here and cry to your heart’s content.”

I watched the handkerchief in my hands. “Thank you.”

“Tears are a good way to cleanse the soul.” He was looking out at the water. “Though, so is laughter.”

“I don’t have anything to laugh about.”

“Everyone should have something to laugh about.”

I shook my head. “Not me.”

He was watching me again, those eyes penetrating my soul almost. “The glass is always half empty, huh?”

I couldn’t meet his gaze. “It didn’t used to be.”

Beside us, Daisy was digging a hole.

“Well,” he gave a little shrug. “Maybe you need a new glass.”

I looked to him, biting back the urge to snap at him and tell him he does not know what I need. Instead, when those eyes met mine, something in my chest twitched again and I tore my gaze from his.

“I made you angry.” He touched my elbow.

I shook my head, biting my cheek to keep the tears at bay.

“I did. I apologize.”

I nodded and wiped at my eyes with the kerchief again.

He was quiet, and for a moment I wondered if he had left. Glancing his way, our eyes met again and he smiled.

I felt something stirring inside of me at his friendly expression and warming grin. Maybe he was an angel sent down to give me solace and comfort. Then my eyes fell to his tattooed hands again. Did angles have tattoos? “Are… you real?”

“What else would I be?”

A shrug. “An angel.” Then feeling silly for suggesting such a thing, I quickly added. “Or a ghost… or something.”

“I could be a vampire.”

“No,” I shook my head, watching him again. “The sun is shining.”

“Ooh, good point.” He chuckled low. “Maybe I’m a daywalker.”

“Do they have those?”

“Hell, I have no idea.”

Did angels cuss?

He sent me a lopsided grin and offered his arm. “I’m very real.”

I wanted to touch him, to make sure for myself. But I didn’t. “I believe you.”

“Do you really?”

My eyes searched his face and I had to look away before I fell into his own eyes. “I do. There aren’t such things as vampires, or daywalkers … I don’t even think ghosts exist.”

“But angels?”

“Not anymore.”

“Ouch.”

I didn’t look his way, I didn’t want to see him judging me, or thinking he knew what was going on in my life. Instead, I held the kerchief out in his direction.

He rose from his spot and I kept my eyes trained on my knees. “Keep it.”

Giving a nod, I lowered it to my lap again, fiddling with the edges.

I could feel his presence next to me. “Someone once told me…‘The tears upon your face are there to remind you that you’re still alive.’.”

His words filled my head and I clutched the kerchief a little tighter. Could this guy be related to Dianna? She would often sprout off proverbs herself. Wetting my lips, I turned to ask him his name and found the spot empty. I glanced to my right, back to the left… then behind me and all around, but he was nowhere. How strange. People just didn’t disappear into thin air. I could feel my pulse pick up and a shiver ran down my spine. Maybe he wasn’t just a person.

~*~*~*~*~

I couldn’t stop thinking about my mysterious visitor on the beach all week long. His words kept repeating over and over in my head; ’maybe you need a new glass.’. A new glass wouldn’t solve my problems though. Life is way too complicated for things to be changed and fixed so easily. And besides, how do you even go about obtaining something like that. It’s not like they’re just lying about for the taking. I knew it was a metaphoric statement but one can’t help but to assign materialism to it.

But it wasn’t just his simple, yet profound, statement that had me puzzled. It was the man himself; his odd appearance and even more strange disappearance. We had had a very strange encounter that left me with a feeling I couldn’t place. If I still believed in angels I would have insisted he was one. Could he have just been a figment of my imagination; my subconscious trying to tell me to buck up and get on with my life? Maybe so, but the white handkerchief lying atop my dresser really told me otherwise. He had been real.

I needed to stop obsessing.

It was Friday; nearly a week after my date and Andrew still hadn’t called me. I really didn’t want him to. Lying, having to make up excuses and reasons why we couldn’t get together again were not things I enjoyed. The more and more I thought about Andrew, the more and more I really did not want to see him again. He was a good guy; don’t get me wrong, but something inside was holding me back. Maybe it was Hugh, maybe it wasn’t … maybe it was me, maybe our connection. Gah, all this dating, and phone calls and starting over crap was already too much for me. I needed to stop trying and just …be.

’Maybe you need a new glass.’

Maybe I needed a hole to hide away in.

“What has got you so frowny?”

I looked over to find my neighbor joining me on my back patio. It was the middle of the afternoon and the sun was high in the sky, warming everything it touched.

“Hey, Dianna.”

“Hey yourself, Grumpy Smurf.”

“I’m not grumpy.”

“Well, you’re certainly not Little Miss Sunshine.”

“Do you really expect me to be?” I watched her with an exasperated expression.

She watched me with those coffee colored eyes before rubbing the middle of her forehead. “No, I suppose not.”

I gave a nod and stared out at the water.

We were both silent; me lost in my thoughts and her … well who knew what was going through Dianna’s head. It could be anything, from contemplating World Peace to what she was going to serve with the roasted chicken she was making for dinner.

“I’m sorry.”

I tore my eyes away from the blue and met her gaze.

“I’m sorry.” She repeated again. “You .. you’re going through something very difficult and I’m over here trying to force you to just… be happy again.”

I didn’t reply, just watched her unwavering.

“I’ve never lost a husband. I don’t know…how the healing process is supposed to go.”

“I…don’t know either.” I had to force the words around the lump in my throat.

She gave a little nod then reached over and took my hand. “Do you want to talk about it?”

“I don’t know…” It was barely a whisper. Quickly, I brushed away the tear that ran down my cheek.

She gave my hand a reassuring squeeze.

More tears blurred my vision and I wiped them away, drying my hands on my jeans. “I..I’m sorry..” My voice cracked.

“Don’t apologize.” She sat sideways on the chair, facing me. “Honey, you are the last person on this earth that has anything to apologize about.”

“I feel stupid for crying.”

“It’s healthy to cry.”

“Someone…” I cleared my throat and took a little breath. “Someone told me that … they remind you that you’re still alive.”

“That’s a very wise statement.” She stood and moved into the house, returning with a box of tissues. “The anniversary is coming up, isn’t it?” She questioned once she had taken her seat again.

I wiped my eyes and nose with the kleenex. “Next month.”

“You could fly back home. Go visit his grave.”

Her words made a chill race down my spine and I quickly shook my head, a panic seizing my chest. That was the very last thing I wanted to do. I could not face that headstone ever again.

“Hey… hey, it’s okay.” She reached over and rubbed my arm.

“I… I can’t.”

“That’s okay, you don’t have to.”

The panic slowly eased away as she calmed me.

“How ‘bout you come over for dinner? I’ll send Manuel off somewhere and it’ll just be us.”

“Okay.”

She offered up her friendly smile. “Good. We can order some cheesy movie on TV as well, if you want.”

I nodded and gave a sniff. “That…sounds nice.”

“It will be.” Her hand squeezed my arm before releasing it.

We were quiet again and I began to regain my composure, feeling foolish for falling apart like that with her.

“Where’s Daisy?”

“Inside.” I gestured towards the house. “She wore herself out at the dog park this morning.”

“Wow, Daisy wore out? That’s a first.”

A chuckle slipped from my mouth and I gave a little nod. “I know right. She made friends with a Collie and the two raced each other around the entire time we were there.”

“She’s just making friends all over, isn’t she?” Dianna gave her own chuckle. “How’s her boy-er excuse me, dog-friend doing?”

I gave a little shrug. “They haven’t seen each other in awhile. I haven’t let her down to the beach.”

“Ooh, look at you; nipping that romance in the bud. Next thing you know she’ll be jumping the balcony and sneaking down there in the middle of the night.”

“She better not be.”

“You can’t stop true love.”

I looked her way. “Do you think dogs fall in love?”

“I’m sure they do. They definitely feel affection.” She waved her hand at me. “Look how she is towards you.”

“True.” I gave a little sigh and settled back more in the chair. “They grieve. She would just sit at the door for hours waiting for Hugh, the saddest expression on her face.”

“Then they have to fall in love. Or at least feel love.”

I didn’t respond to that, just watched the water again, the waves rolling in a bit higher. A storm was brewing.

“It’s too bad she’s fixed. She’d have the most adorable little puppies.”

I gave a low laugh. “Yeah, and all of them would be just as hyper and active as she is. The house would be insane. I’d be insane for allowing that to happen.”

“Maybe they’d take after their dad.”

A snort. “Fat chance. I think the hyper gene is the dominant one.”

“Maybe so.”

In the distance there was a low rumble of thunder.

“It’s gonna storm.”

I nodded.

“Gonna be a bad one.”

“How do you know?”

“Look at the swells, they’re angry and tumultuous.”

I looked, watching as the water began to crash to the shore in a bitter manner.

“Yup, gonna be a bad one.”

And I wondered if it matched the one inside me.

~*~*~*~*~

The storm came. The rain pounded, the wind shrieked, sending leaves and trash can lids scattering through the street. Lightning lit the entire sky, brighter than even the sunniest of days. And the thunder, so powerful and commanding, shook the house, rattling the windows and shaking shutters loose. Daisy hid under the kitchen table, whimpering and burrowing her nose beneath her paw. I had a flashlight sitting on the counter, and candles scattered about in case the electricity was cut off.

It was fierce, and every boom in the sky sent chills down my spine. I hated thunderstorms, maybe more than Daisy. But they brought my favorite part; that moment just after the rain has stopped and the earth is settling, when the sun is beginning to peek back through the clouds and the light catches the water, rainbows dancing all around. Those were the best times, I’d go outside barefoot, feeling the warm ground beneath my feet, watching as brilliant colors streaked the sky. Hugh called me a rainbow chaser. They were a beautiful part of life that needed no explanation. It’d been two years since I’d cared to see one.

A crack of thunder pierced through the howling wind and more lightning illuminated the sky, chasing away shadows for the single moment it was. I grabbed for the flashlight as the lights dimmed then flickered. I was hoping it wouldn’t go out. Last time the electricity had gone out; it wasn’t back on until the following afternoon. I didn’t want another hot, sleepless night. But they soon returned to their full strength and I relaxed.

Suddenly a loud crash came from the back of the house and I jerked, whirling towards the family room and staring at the patio doors, half expecting a madman in a mask wielding a knife to be standing there. But when more lightning streaked and lit up the backyard, the patio was vacant. Was probably just the wind. Letting out the breath I had been holding, I turned once more then gave a shriek as another loud boom sounded; something had hit the house. Maybe a loose tree branch.

Grabbing up the flashlight just in case, I crossed through to the family room and slowly eased my way to the doors, flipping on the exterior light and peeking towards where the noise had come from. A patio chair lay strewn across the yard, being slammed into the house with each gust of wind. If this kept up, it could come careening right through the glass. I’d just bring it inside.

I undid the locks and set the flashlight to the side then carefully slid the door open, feeling rain pelting my face as the wind blew it in every direction. Quickly, I darted outside, grabbing for the chair. It slipped from my fingers as the wind took it further from my reach.

My hair was now damp and being blown in my face. With a frustrated growl, I pushed it from my eyes and lunged for the chair again. My fingers gripped the arm and I turned, hauling it behind me as another gust of wind suddenly forced me back, nearly toppling me over. I caught myself, pushing forward and making my way towards the open doors, which Daisy was now coming out of.

“Daisy?” I blinked. She hated storms, why would she be venturing out into the midst of one?

She ignored me, and instead gave a sharp bark then ducked low to avoid the wind and took off across the backyard.

I watched her go, wondering if I was imagining it. Then realization suddenly sank in and I pushed the chair away, taking off after her. “Daisy! Get back here!” What if something happened and she fell off the cliff, or was swept out into the ocean? She was not that strong a swimmer, not in this kind of storm.

She either ignored me, or didn’t hear me, the wind carrying my voice off in a different direction. Instead, she pushed on and I saw her heading right for the wooden stairs, the streaks of lightning lighting the way. She disappeared down them and I struggled against the storm.

It took me a few moments longer, but I finally made it to the beach, the spray from the waves dousing me as they crashed angrily over the sand. It was too dark to see anything, and the few seconds I did have light were not enough to tell which way my dog had gone. I was soaked head to toe, my clothes sticking to my body, my hair plastered to my cheeks.

The wind continued to throw itself at me and I turned my back to it. Why was I out here in the middle of a storm trying to find Daisy? If she didn’t get herself hurt, then I probably would. I should just go back to the house and wait; she’d find her way back. That was the sensible thing to do, but I didn’t do that. Something wouldn’t let me. I couldn’t leave Daisy. I couldn’t lose Daisy. Giving an embittered growl, I struggled against the winds and rains, shouting for my dog and hoping she would hear me and come.

Another streak of lightning brightened the sky and I nearly screamed as the thunder cracked overhead, reverberating inside of me. The wind was picking up and sand burned my eyes, coating my face and mouth. That dog was in some big trouble once I did get her back to the house. Could dogs be grounded?

I turned against the wind again as it sent cold chills down my back. Leaves were being tossed around and one stuck to my head. “Daisy!” I called out again, hearing the wind swallow my words.

“Daisy!!”

All of a sudden, an explosion rocked me, pain filling my head. And then darkness ensued.

Chapter Five by summer
Author's Notes:
Please review. I'd love to know what everyone thinks of this. Thanks.

 

 

I was moving. It felt like I was moving. I didn’t know where I was going because my eyes refused to open. I tried, but they were so heavy and I was so warm and comfortable. Except for the sharp pain that had taken over my left temple. It was piercing, and felt like someone had stabbed me with a knife, or maybe a screwdriver. Who would want to do that? I hadn’t done anything to anyone. I wish I could open my eyes and pull the blasted thing out. Had someone glued them shut? Was I in the clutches of a serial killer? Oh my god, what’s my name?

My name? Who am I? A panic started in my chest and I tried to move, but my body was even heavier than my eyelids. I had no idea who I was! And then suddenly it came back to me.

Morgan Weston.

That calmed me, though I was still confused as to why I was immobile and had my eyelids glued shut. I tried to speak but my mouth felt like it was full of sawdust and I longed for a glass of water. What was wrong with me?

Before I could put any more thought into that, the pain in my skull increased and it felt like my head was literally splitting into two pieces. I tried to cry out but couldn’t; the pain was overwhelming. And in a foggy daze, that moment just before the darkness took over once more; I thought I heard a voice.

“Don’t try to move; just relax.”

~*~*~*~*~

The next time I awoke, I could open my eyes. My head still hurt greatly, but it felt like the screwdriver had been removed. I reached for my temple, finding I could move again, though my mouth still felt like it was full of sawdust. My fingers touched a bandage of some type on my head and I winced at the sharp pain that simple action had set off. What had happened?

Lowering my hand, I surveyed where I was, relief flooding through me when I recognized my bedroom. It was still dark outside, the shades pulled closed, but a lamp on the nightstand filled the room with a soft glow. What happened? How did I get here? The last thing I could recall was the storm and being down on the beach. Daisy!

I tried to sit up but the room gave a sudden tilt and my head began to spin, forcing me back down. Had I been drugged? Or were these just the after affects of having been stabbed in the head?

“You’re awake.”

The voice came from my right and I jerked to look in that direction, immediately regretting the decision as a wave of nausea washed over me.

“Hey, take it easy. No sudden movements.”

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, waiting until the sickening feeling had passed.

“There you go.” Someone sank down onto the edge of the bed and a cool cloth was pressed to my forehead.

I kept my eyes closed until I was sure I wouldn’t vomit then slowly blinked them back open.

It was my angel.

No, there were no such things as angels. But there he was. Suddenly, I was very confused.

“Wha….” I tried to speak, but the words died in my throat.

“Here, sip this.” He held a glass of water towards me, the straw meeting my lips.

I took a few swallows, the cool liquid soothing my throat and washing the sawdust away.

After he had set the water back off to the side and was watching me again, I tried once more.

“What…happened?”

“You got beamed in the head by a piece of flying driftwood.”

I blinked, the pain from my temple now moving into my eyelids and behind my eyes. “What?”

He watched me with those soul-stirring eyes. “You were down at the beach in the middle of the storm from hell, and a piece of wood smacked you in the head.”

“You… were there?” Gingerly I touched the bandage, wincing as even the slightest brush caused a stab of pain to shoot through my temple.

“Fortunately for you.” He reached and plucked a small orange bottle from the nightstand.

“But…wha…how?” I was still rather confused, and the throbbing of my head was not helping. It was making it hard to think clearly.

“I saw you go down.” He shook two small white pills out into his hand. “By the time I reached you, so had your dog. She led me back up here to your place.”

“Shouldn’t I be in the hospital?”

I watched as my rescuer recapped the bottle and set it aside, taking up the glass of water. “Once I got you back here, I called a doctor; a guy that lives across the street. He came over and checked you out. Said you’ll have one hell of a headache but should be okay.” He extended the pills and water towards me. “You got lucky. Take these.”

I eyed him carefully, peering towards the pills in his hand. “What’s that?”

“Tylenol. It’ll help the headache.”

Normally I didn’t trust strangers, but for reasons unknown I took the pills, swallowing them down with the water.

“Good girl.” He sent me a teasing grin and set the glass once more to the side.

I just watched him, hoping beyond hope that the medicine would kick in soon and ease the pain that was gripping my head.

“Do I have a concussion?”

“A slight one. Doc said to just rest and take it easy the next few days, but if your headache doesn’t leave, or you have trouble walking, or any confusion…he said to call your own doctor right away.”

I gave a little nod then blinked. “Daisy?”

He nodded his head towards the foot of the bed.

Daisy lay watching me with her big, brown eyes. Upon mention of her name, she lifted her head and her tail gave a thump against the bed.

I sent her a scowl before carefully resting my head back against the pillows. Our eyes met once more and I felt that familiar twitch inside my chest.

“Still think I’m an angel?”

I realized I’d been holding my breath and slowly let it out. “I don’t believe in angels.”

“Oh, that’s right.”

My eyes drifted to the quilt that covered my body and I realized I was still in my wet clothing. “I’m going to catch a cold.”

“Yeah, I had that thought too, but didn’t think it’d be appropriate for me to just…change you. Not that it wouldn’t be a pleasant experience for me.”

A small blush crept on my cheeks. “Well um… thank you for… not doing that.”

“You’re very welcome.” He watched me a moment longer and I watched the quilt.

Finally I turned to face him. “Maybe you are a vampire …or ghost.”

“So you believe in those now?”

A shrug. “I don’t know what I believe anymore.” It came out softer and more hurt then I had intended it to.

“Then angels could be very real.”

“No, they’re not.”

“How do you know?”

Inside my chest my heart was beating faster and I opened my mouth to respond, but then closed it again and broke our gaze, looking off towards the curtain covered windows. “You should go.”

“And leave you here alone and unsupervised with a slight concussion?”

“I’ll call someone.”

“Is that what you want?”

What I wanted was for my head to stop feeling like it was splitting in two. But I just nodded.

He was quiet for a moment then gave a sigh and rose from the bed. “Okay.”

I chanced a look to him, feeling my pulse quicken slightly. “Um…thank you…”

His grin warmed my belly. “It was my pleasure. Get some rest, okay? And make sure you call someone.”

“I will.”

He watched me for a moment longer before instructing me where he had put the Tylenol and cool compress. Then brushing his fingers over my arm, he bid me goodnight and left.

It wasn’t until I heard the downstairs door slam that I realized I still didn’t know his name.

~*~*~*~*~

“You know, if you’re going to be getting into any fights … you should at least wait until I’m there to cheer you on.” Dianna’s words greeted me bright and early the next morning as she let herself into my house.

I looked over from where I sat at the kitchen table, trying to force down an orange.

“What the hell happened to you?” She was by my side in an instant, examining the gauze bandage taped to my head.

I hadn’t called anyone like I should have. Instead, I had fallen into an uneasy sleep before waking a few hours later and managing to strip my damp clothes off. My head still throbbed, but not as sharp, and I felt sore and tired all over.

“Just a little road rage.”

“Uh huh.” Carefully, she peeled the bandage back to discover the cut and swollen lump above my temple.

“You should see the other guy.” I swallowed another slice of orange.

“Seriously, what happened?”

The tone in her voice was one I knew not to mess with and so I told her. All about Daisy taking off on me and following her, about the flying piece of driftwood and slight concussion and the headache the size of Alaska that was slowly fading away. I didn’t mention being rendered unconscious or my mysterious rescuer.

“Why didn’t you call me?”

“Because it was late and I was fine.”

“That does not look like fine. You should see a doctor.”

I sighed and wiped the sticky orange juices from my fingers. “I kinda already did.”

“What? When?”

“Last night. I called the doctor guy across the street and he came over.”

“Doctor Grant?”

Was that his name? I pretended like I knew and gave a nod. “Yes, Doctor Grant.”

“Really?” She arched a brow. “And he fixed you all up?”

I pointed to the bandage taped back to my head. “Yup.”

“Hmm…that’s really interesting considering Doctor Grant is my gynecologist, a woman at that, and the doctor that lives across the street is Doctor Morris.”

I paused with another orange slice halfway to my mouth. Damn.

Dianna watched me intently. “What’s going on?”

There was no hiding anything from her. She was like a mother hen with eyes in the back of her head and could tell you what your next move was going to be before you’d even made it.

“The doctor guy from across the street did come over; I just…didn’t know his name.”

“How did you know to call him?”

I set the orange piece back down. “Um… some guy actually called him for me.”

That was news to Dianna and she slipped into a chair. “What guy?”

I shrugged. “Some… guy. He… was on the beach and saw what happened.”

“You didn’t get his name?”

I shook my head. “I thanked him though.”

“Well, that’s sweet of you.” She shook her head some then watched me with concern. “But you feel okay?”

“I do. The doctor said if I start seeing funny or walking funny …or my headache doesn’t go away then to see my doctor. But he thinks I’ll be okay.”

Dianna eyed me then finally gave a nod. “Alright. And if you start having any of those … you better let me know.”

“Oh believe me, you’ll be the first one I tell.”

She reached and swiped a piece of my orange. “I had come over here to see if you wanted to go shopping or something. But you’re not in the best of shape to leave this house.”

“Yeah, I still feel a little woozy.”

“Maybe we should just take you to the doctor’s.”

“No, I’ll be okay. Seriously.”

“Mmkay, but if you lapse into a coma…do not blame me after you wake and are missing thirty years of your life.”

I chuckled low. “I’ll try not to.”

She gave a firm nod then fell into colloquy about the newest book she was illustrating.

I didn’t mean to tune her out, but my thoughts drifted to the angel from the beach before I even knew they were going there. It was a little weird that he just happened to be out there in the middle of a raging thunderstorm. People just did not walk around in those things; well okay I had been but I had a pretty good reason; my mangy mongrel of a pet.

Maybe he wasn’t a normal human. Maybe he wasn’t human. Angels didn’t exist. Neither did vampires or ghosts… there weren’t even aliens. He was just some crazy man who thought it would be fun to walk the beach in a powerful thunderstorm. Lucky for me.

“Morgan?”

I blinked and Dianna’s face came into focus. “Huh, what?”

“Where’d you go?”

I glanced around at the chair I sat in. “Nowhere.”

“You looked a million miles away.”

I shook my head. “I’m not.”

“Liar.”

“I’m not. I’m right here.”

“Obviously, you were thinking about something you don’t want me to know about.”

I sighed as Dianna eyed me like she was some kind of private investigator. “I’m really not.”

She gave a chuckle and I knew she wasn’t upset with me. “You are the worst liar.”

I shook my head, dropping the entire subject. “Will you take Daisy on a walk for me today?”

“You poor thing, of course.”

“Thank you.” I sent her a genuine smile then rose from the chair, taking my trash with me. “I think I need to lie down for a little bit.”

“Of course, take your time.” She stood as well, collecting the orange peel and napkins from my hands then shooing me out of the kitchen. “You go rest. I’m going to tidy up down here then take Daisy for her walk. If you need anything, holler.”

I didn’t object, just thanked her again then made my way back upstairs to the bedroom.

I settled into the bed and gave a little sigh, staring up at the ceiling. Why was I so hesitant to tell Dianna about the mysterious guy? There wasn’t anything wrong with it; he had saved me after all. But something was holding me back. I wasn’t sure if it was because he was so perplexing and the whole situation odd, or if there was something more to it. Did I even want to go down that path to figure it out?

Chapter Six by summer
Author's Notes:
Thanks so much for the comments! As always, they're much appreciated. Hope you guys are enjoying the fic so far. :)

 

 

It took me two days before I finally began to feel like my regular self. The lump on my head was slowly diminishing, but still very visible. I began to brush my hair the other direction to help hide it, not wanting to have to answer any questions at the office, or by any clients. I called off work Monday, letting another of the realtors take over the house I was supposed to show. Dianna dropped by for a bit mid morning, but didn’t stay long. After she was gone, I made myself comfortable on the couch and put in a movie; The House Bunny. A comedy starring Anna Faris as a playboy bunny, with nowhere to go who ends up moving in with a group of college sorority girls. It’s a pretty funny movie and I would have probably laughed more had my head not been so sensitive and foggy.

Sometime during the middle of the flick, the phone rang. I paused the DVD player and grabbed the cordless that sat beside me. The ID gave an unfamiliar number and with a curious expression I answered.

“Hello?”

“Morgan?”

The voice was vaguely familiar. “Who is this?”

“It’s Andrew. Andrew Holden.”

Recognition clicked and I sat up a little straighter. “Oh hi.”

“Did I catch you at a bad time?”

“No, not at all.” I smoothed the blanket that was covering my legs. “How are you?”

“I’m doing good.” His voice was like velvet over the line. “How are you? I heard you had a pretty nasty fall.”

Dianna and her big mouth. “It wasn’t a fall so to say. I got hit with some driftwood.”

“Ouch. How did you manage that?”

“Oh… you know, I thought I’d take a walk in the middle of a thunderstorm. See what kind of things I could find.”

He chuckled low at my casual tone. “Bet you’ll never do that again.”

“Only next weekend and then I’m done.”

He laughed again and I shifted my eyes to the phone. Was I that funny?

“So um…sorry it took me so long to call you…” he began once a silence had settled over the line.

I started to tell him that it was okay, but he continued on, explaining he had been out in New York for the week busy with a new project he was heading up. That made me feel a little bit better; least he hadn’t been one of those guys who promises to call but never does.

So we chatted for a little while about his new project which he sounded pretty excited about. He said he would be flying back and forth to New York pretty often during the next few months. Which translated to me; he wouldn’t have a lot of time for anything dealing with a woman or a relationship. Which was perfectly fine by me; I didn’t feel any of those romantic vibes towards him. He was a very nice guy, and fun to talk to… but I think it stopped at being friends.

Towards the end of our conversation Andrew suggested we have lunch on Thursday. He wanted me to meet him at his office in downtown LA and then we’d go to some cute little bistro he knew about down the way. I debated it over in my head, wondering if he wanted it to be more than a friendly date. But he had been pretty up front about letting me know he didn’t have much time for socializing. I finally relented.

“Only if you promise to ignore the ugly bump on my head.”

“Aww, I’m sure it’s not that bad.”

“Heh, you haven’t seen it yet.” I reached up and gently touched the knot.

“Alright, I promise to ignore it if it’ll get you to have lunch with me.”

I chewed my cheek. “What time?”

“How’s 12:30?”

I was free on Thursday. I only worked a few days a week; the money from Hugh’s insurance policy and will left me pretty comfortable and in no need of an extra income. But I knew if I didn’t do something, I’d go stir crazy. Besides, it was nice to get out and socialize with people.

“I can do that.”

“Great.” It sounded like he was smiling.

He gave me directions and we conversed a few moments longer before finally hanging up.

As I set the receiver back down on the cushion next to me, I thought about how excited Dianna would be when she found out. Maybe I wouldn’t tell her. She would read more into it then she should and think it was a romantic date. I did not need her breathing down my neck about this.

Nodding, and deciding that she would not find out, I returned to the movie, unpausing the DVD. Hopefully Andrew wouldn’t tell her either. Friendly lunch date. I needed more friends.

~*~*~*~*~

Tuesday I was at work; elbow deep in paperwork and my head filled with numbers and facts. I had a long list of things that needed to be done and I was already over halfway through with my day. Just then a red and white box was plopped down on my desk.

“What’s this?” I looked up from my work, seeing Anna Sawyer perching on the edge of my desk.

“Sweet n’ Sour chicken. You look like you could use a break.”

Anna was one of the few people I did socialize with outside of work. 32 and married, with a two year old, she was a good person; head of the food drive committee at her church and volunteering at the soup kitchen on Saturdays. Sometimes she seemed a little too good, but the world really needed those kinds of people. Someone had to make up for all the evil.

“Thanks.” I set my pen down and rubbed the bridge of my nose before taking up the Chinese take out box and opening the top. “I forgot to eat lunch.”

“Been pretty busy, huh?”

I nodded and took the fork she handed me, digging into the warm chicken and rice.

She let me eat a few minutes before speaking. “I think some of us are going out for drinks after work. You should come.”

“Who is some?”

“Uh… well I’m going. And Dixon is I believe. So are Maureen, Lewis and Kaiti.”

I made a little face and she sighed.

“I know. You don’t like Maureen.”

“Or Dixon. He’s so arrogant.”

“Yeah he can be.” She rolled her eyes. “But you should still come. We’re going to O’Malley’s.”

I twirled the fork in the rice. “I dunno… I’ve had a long day.”

“Aww, c’mon, Morgan. Just for a little bit.”

“You know I don’t really drink.”

“One Margarita isn’t going to hurt you.”

“Why do you even want to go?” I speared a piece of chicken.

“I don’t know…” Anna shrugged and brushed her dark hair from her face. “Greg is out of town and my mom has Abigail. So I figured, why the hell not.”

I opened my mouth to respond but was cut off when Dixon Giles sauntered over, arrogance just oozing from him like sap from a tree.

“Hello, ladies.” His teeth were so white it was nearly blinding.

“Hey Dixon.” Anna sent him her friendly smile.

“I hope I’m not interrupting.” He smoothed a hand on his crisp, white shirt and I had the sudden urge to dump my take out over his immaculate head of dark, perfectly styled hair.

“Not at all.” My female friend shook her head, motioning towards me. “Morgan and I were just talking about O’Malley’s.”

His beady eyes looked my way. “Ooh, you’ll be joining us?” And there was that grin again; it made my skin crawl. “That’s great.”

I could not put my finger on why I did not like this man. Was it because he reminded me of every sleezy, slimebag I had run across in my lifetime? Or was it because one time he had goosed me, pretending he thought I had been someone else from behind. Maybe both.

“Actually, I can’t.” The last thing I wanted were his drunken hands trying to get up my skirt.

Anna frowned and Dixon looked disappointed.

“That’s too bad. Maybe next time.”

“Yeah, maybe next time.” I echoed his words, pretending to be thoroughly engrossed in my chicken.

He and Anna talked for a moment longer before he continued on past, heading off to annoy someone else.

Once he was out of range, she frowned at me. “Why aren’t you coming?”

I set the take out box on my desk. “Because he would either hit on me, or try to cop a feel.”

“You don’t know that.”

I sent her a look and she sighed, rubbing the back of her neck.

“Alright, next time…if Dixon isn’t there, will you come?”

“Sure.”

“Okay.” She smiled then invited me over for Sunday dinner.

I accepted and we conversed while I finished the chicken. Finally she headed off and I resumed my work.

Anna was sweet. She was the first person at the agency to befriend me and we had clicked almost instantly. I didn’t get too personal with her, but she did know I had lost my husband and still recovering from it. And unlike Dianna she wasn’t pressuring me to take baby steps and move on from it. ‘Everything will work out in the end’ was Anna’s motto, and if it took you years to get to that spot then that was life and you take what it throws your way. I was certainly doing that.

Twenty minutes later my desk phone rang.

“Houghton Real Estate, this is Morgan Weston; how may I help you?”

“Hello. You sound like your doing better?”

I glanced to the black receiver in my hand, not recognizing the smooth male voice that had greeted me. “Who is this?”

“I don’t think we’ve gotten that quite established yet.” He gave a low chuckle and my heart skipped a beat.

My beach angel.

“Wha… how?” I rubbed the good side of my head. “How… did you know where to find me?”

“I’m an angel, remember?”

“No, you’re not. But I do think it’s weird you show up at the oddest times.”

“Maybe that means something?”

I lifted a brow. “You’re stalking me?”

His chuckle made me want to grin. “You know that’s not true. I was just calling to see how you were feeling.”

I don’t know why that touched me the way it did. “I’m feeling much better, thank you.”

“No lasting affects? How’s the bump?”

“None at all and it’s going down. Almost gone.”

“You sound like you’re in better spirits.”

“Well, my head doesn’t feel like someone is shoving a screwdriver into it.”

His laugh almost felt infectious. “You sound in even better spirits then you did on the beach.”

I paused at that, memories of our first encounter flashing through my mind. “I was having a bad day.”

“Is that what you’re calling it?”

“That’s not what I’m calling it. That’s what it was.”

“I think it’s a little more than that. Bad days don’t cause people to stop believing in angels.”

“A lot of them do.”

“You’ve been dealt a pretty bad hand, huh?”

I gave a little sigh, not wanting to get into this conversation and end up in tears in my place of business. Glancing around, I leaned over my desk and cleared my throat. “I um… need to go.”

“Yeah, I suppose you do.”

I fingered the silver chain that hung around my neck. “I’m feeling much better though. Thanks for checking on me.”

“Anytime.” He paused a moment. “I’ll see you around.” And then he was gone before I could even respond.

Slowly I replaced the receiver, sinking back into the chair and staring at the phone. My life had gotten weird in just a matter of a week or two; strangers on the beach, Daisy and her dog-friend, first dates again, violent storms with blowing driftwood, concussions and bumps on the head. I wasn’t sure what to make of any of it.

“Morgan!”

I jerked and whirled towards the direction of the voice.

Zoe Houghton, my boss, stood watching me with her hands on a hips and a rather annoyed expression on her face.

“Um… yes?” I pushed myself up from the chair and smoothed down my tailored blouse.

A frown creased her brow. “I have been calling you for the last minute.”

I blinked. “Oh… I… didn’t hear you. I’m sorry.”

“You were too busy trying to stare a hole into that phone.” She nodded her head towards my desk.

The blush crept over my cheeks and I ducked my head. “I apologize. I just… had a weird phone call.”

Zoe watched me a moment and gave a nod. “Come into my office.” Then she turned and her long legs moved her amongst the desks and towards her large corner office.

I shared a look with Anna and followed behind the very business oriented redhead. Zoe could be very strict and completely involved in the agency. It was hers though, built it from the ground up and she would take no hoopla from anyone. She always expected the best of her employees and gave them hardly any room for error. My stomach began to do nervous flips and I racked my brain for anything I may have messed up on. I knew she wasn’t going to yell at me for taking the sick day, and none of my clients had been left hanging. So what had I done wrong?

“Have a seat.” She motioned towards the black leather chairs arranged neatly at her desk.

I gave a little nod and sank into the cool leather, watching as she perched herself expertly in her own chair.

She watched me a moment before speaking. “How are you feeling?”

“I’m okay.” I shrugged a shoulder.

“You have a pretty nasty bump on the head. Are you sure?”

“Yes.” I gave a nod and smoothed my skirt. “A doctor checked me out and I haven’t had any complications. I just needed a few days to rest.”

Her vivid green eyes watched me expectantly. “Did you get enough time? I don’t want any of my employees not at their best.”

I would never be at my best again.

“I’m okay. I appreciate your concern, but really I’m okay.”

She finally relaxed back in her chair, crossing her legs. “What was this weird phone call about?”

“Nothing serious. Just… some guy and his prophecies.”

“A Jehovah’s Witness?”

I chuckled low. “Not those kind of prophecies. More the um…ones that just get you thinking about life and stuff.”

“Oh.” She gave a little nod and I don’t think she knew what I meant. I wasn’t even sure I knew what I meant.

Brushing it off, Zoe leaned forward and placed her arms on the desk, hands clasped. “I have to say, Miss Weston, that since you started here I have been very impressed with you. You’ve done a rather superb job with the few houses you’ve shown and I do believe you are the top agent this month.”

My brows lifted. “Seriously? I’ve only… sold two houses.”

“That may be, but you also only had two clients. And … you were able to bring in top dollar.”

“Wow…” I chuckled low, glad I wasn’t getting in trouble. “Well, thank you.”

Zoe matched my smile. “And thank you.” Then her expression went strict again. “But I want you to take the rest of the week off. Head injuries are nothing to mess with and I would feel horrible if something were to happen due to your work schedule.”

“But I’m okay.”

“Then enjoy your week. Work in your garden, get some sun …take a trip.”

I sighed some, knowing I wasn’t going to win against this woman. “Yes ma’am.”

“Thank you.” She stood and took my hand when I got to my own feet. “I shall see you on Monday.”

“Bright and early.”

“Good, now go home and rest.”

I nodded and gave a sigh, exiting her office. The rest of the week off….wonderful. What could I possibly do to fill all that spare time? Maybe I’d learn a new hobby. Rock climbing had always looked interesting. How hard could it be?

Chapter Seven by summer
Author's Notes:
Thanks so much for all the feedback! You guys are great!

 

 

I awoke in the middle of the night to a sound. It was faint and I was surprised I even heard it. I sat up and strained my ears, waiting to see if it came again and if I should worry myself. Next to me, Daisy nuzzled my hand and I gently stroked her head, feeling the pulse in my throat speed up as it came again. I couldn’t even describe what it was but the hairs on the back of my neck were standing up. Daisy was clueless and as I quietly slipped from the bed I frowned at her, wondering what had happened to the sixth sense she was supposed to have.

She didn’t move from her spot and I pulled on my thigh-length, powder blue robe telling her to stay put, though I was sure she had no intentions of going anywhere. She didn’t even lift her head. Shaking my head at that, I carefully tiptoed for the door, peeking out and finding the hallway deserted. The sound had come from downstairs and as I edged myself out of the bedroom, it came once more.

I probably should have stayed in the bedroom and called the police, or at least taken a heavy lamp with me. But those thoughts didn’t even cross my mind and as I carefully descended the stairs, my heart pounding in my throat, I wished they had.

He had his back to me, but the familiar outline of his shoulders made my blood grow cold. His unruly blond hair looked like it had the last time I’d seen it and when his scent, a smell I knew inside and out, wafted into my nose… my head began to spin. I gripped the banister so tight my fingers grew white, probably matching the color of my complexion because I was sure the blood had drained from it. I didn’t move, I didn’t blink, I didn’t breathe.

When he turned to face me, my heart dropped to my toes and my knees grew weak. I wanted to scream, to turn and run up the stairs and lock myself in the bedroom. But I couldn’t move; my body felt frozen in place and I could only stare, feeling chill after chill race through me.

“Morgan.”

The sound of his voice brought me to my knees.

“It’s been awhile.”

Tears welled into my eyes and I shook my head, not being able to force out the scream that was building in my chest.

“I’ve missed you.”

His voice, the way he spoke, made my insides ache, but when he took a step towards me I felt fear grip my body.

“I’m not going to hurt you. I can’t hurt you.” He stopped in front of me and crouched to meet my tear filled gaze. “I could never hurt you.”

My cheeks were damp and my heart hurt so badly suddenly. I wanted to grab to him and hold on, to cling to him and beg him not to leave; to never leave me again. But I knew if I reached out, he’d disappear or my fingers would move right through him.

“Oh Morgan…” his tone was full of sorrow. “Don’t cry, please, baby.” His fingers brushed my cheek and this little jolt moved through me.

I shook my head, not able to find my voice.

“I’m right here, baby.” His hand moved down and he placed his palm over my chest, right over my heart.

The warmth that filled me was unexplainable. It soothed through my veins and I could relax, a sob finally escaping around the lump in my throat.

“I… I… I’m so s…sorry…” I blubbered out.

“For what?” Those emerald eyes were so full of love and I wanted to throw myself into his arms.

“E…e…everything….”

“No.” He laced his fingers through mine. “Don’t apologize for living your life.”

I shook my head, feeling my heart breaking all over again. “I… I’m not…li…living… I ..can’t.”

“Yes you can.” He drew my knuckles to his mouth, brushing his lips so barely over them. “I want you to.”

“N…no..” I could barely manage it out between my sobs.

“Yes, Morgan.” He gave my hand a squeeze, his warmth filling me completely. “I want you to be happy.”

I felt broken. “I…I can’t…”

“You can.” He released me and a cold chill ran down my spine.

“No!” I grabbed for him but he was suddenly out of my reach.

“Go be happy.”

I shook my head, my shoulders racking with sobs.

“Live your life.”

I tried to stand, pulling myself up with the banister. “D…don’t go…” All the warmth was slowly trickling out and I didn’t want to be left with icy chills.

He seemed to be fading away, his voice echoing. “You’re still here. Don’t pretend you’re not.”

I took a step, giving a strangled ‘No’ as he began to dissipate.

“Live, Morgan.” His words filled my ears and I crumbled to the ground, my head in my hands, more tears taking over.

He was gone. And I was cold again.

The tears on my cheeks woke me. I reached a hand up and wiped at them but they continued to flow from my eyes. Slowly, I sat up and grabbed tissues from my nightstand, wiping the dampness away. The dream had been so real, so vivid and emotional. I wondered for half a second if it really had happened. Then I remembered I didn’t believe in ghosts.

Daisy chose that moment to stick her head in my face and lick at my cheeks.

I frowned and pushed her away. “Daisy, down.”

She obliged, but not before giving a small whine of protest.

I sighed and cleared my throat, staring at the bawled tissues in my hand. Had that really been a dream? It felt too realistic to be one … but dead people did not just appear in your house. What else could it have been? Maybe I was losing my mind.

With a heavy sigh, I settled down more into the bed, gently rubbing Daisy’s head as she curled up beside me. The whole thing had left me rather troubled and I didn’t know if I could go back to sleep. I was afraid I’d be greeted with images of Hugh’s face, feel his warmth and smell his aftershave. Seeing him like that, hearing him tell me to move on …it shook me to my core and I was left feeling more alone then I ever had before. Suddenly I wanted nothing more than daylight.

~*~*~*~*~

The bell echoed on the other side of the door, filling the house with its melodious chimes. I glanced around and waited, watching the drizzling rain. It was going to be one of those days; the kind where you just wanted to curl up on the sofa with a good book, or sleep the day away. I, however, was not sleeping anytime soon. I probably did not sleep more than a couple hours after the haunting dream. Every time I closed my eyes, Hugh’s face would be right there. I finally abandoned the bed at 7am. Now three cups of coffee and a hot shower later I was standing on Dianna’s doorstep, hoping she was home.

“Morgan?”

My friend’s voice broke through my thoughts and I turned to face her.

Her eyes widened as she took in my disheveled appearance and the bags under my eyes. “What’s wrong? Come in.” She quickly ushered me inside and closed the door, touching my arm through the long sleeve shirt I wore. “You’re freezing. Here, come into the living room.”

I allowed her to lead me over to the oversized couch and sank down.

She pulled a red fleece blanket from the back and wrapped it around me securely. “Are you sick?”

“No…” I shivered and huddled beneath the cover.

“Then what’s wrong? What happened? You look like you haven’t slept a wink.”

“I haven’t.”

“Why not?” She pressed the back of her hand to my forehead to feel for a fever.

“I had another dream.”

Dianna’s dark eyes looked into my clear ones. “And it kept you up all night?”

“Yeah.”

“For Pete’s sake.” Finally she settled herself down next to me. “Tell me what they’re about, Morgan.”

I wiped my hands over my face, rubbing my bleary eyes. “This was a new one.”

“Another one?”

“Yeah…” I tucked my arms back under the blanket. “… And … I’m scared, Dianna.”

Her expression softened. “Scared of what, hon?”

Of Hugh appearing in my living room. That sounded like crazy talk. “I .. I don’t know.”

She reached over and rubbed my arm in the same way a mother would her child’s. “What happened in your dream?”

I studied the intricate patterns on the blanket. “I … saw Hugh.” His name caused a lump to form in my throat.

“In your dream?”

I nodded.

“Well, what’s so horrible about that?”

“It’s… I…” I sighed and pushed some hair from my face. “He… was in my house. It felt so real.” Tears dotted my eyes.

“Some dreams can feel like that.”

“Do… you think … it was really him?”

Her brows lifted. “Like… a vision?”

I nodded and she blew a puff of air between her lips.

“That’s quite possible. People have experienced those before.”

I turned my eyes to her, looking as lost as I felt. “Do you think that was what it was?”

“Well, what did he tell you?”

“To…. keep living. He told me not to pretend I wasn’t alive.”

“Maybe.” She tucked the blanket a little tighter around me. “Or maybe that was your subconscious talking to you.”

“In the other one… someone is after me.”

Her brows furrow. “Who?”

My slender shoulders shrugged beneath the fleece cover. “I dunno … I never see them. But I know they’re horrible; the most absolute evil. And they want to kill me.”

“What happens?” She gently urged me on.

“They…catch me and ….choke me. And I always wake up just before I die.” I looked up from the blanket. “A couple weeks ago I started fighting back.”

“You never did before?”

“No.”

I could feel her eyes studying me and she’s quiet for a long moment. Normally her scrutiny would bother me, but I’m just so exhausted physically and mentally I don’t care.

Finally she shifted and tucked one leg up under her before speaking. “Dreams are a way our subconscious communicates with us. Maybe you’re more ready to start living again than you realize. I do think you want to be happy again.”

“I want Hugh.”

“A part of you will always want him. But you won’t always need him.”

I decided to change the subject. “Do you believe in angels?”

“Like, heavenly hosts from above?”

“Right.”

“Absolutely.”

“Can humans see them?”

Dianna tilted her head. “Only if they want us to.”

“Do they have tattoos?”

Her brow creased. “What?”

I sighed and shifted under the blanket. “Remember that guy I told you about…the one who called the doctor for me when I hit my head?”

She nodded and I continued.

“He has tattoos on his hands.” A shrug. “Well, he may have them in other places but I couldn’t tell.”

“You think he’s an angel?”

I hesitated, mulling that over in my head. “If I believed in them, I would. He was out in a raging storm just as I was being rendered unconscious.”

“Oh my God, you were knocked out?” She sat up and gaped at me.

Oops. I forgot I hadn’t told her that little part. “Maybe just a little.”

“Just a little? Morgan!” Her dark eyes flashed.

“Okay, so a lot. He saw me go down and then Daisy led him to my place. He put me in bed, called the doctor and gave me some Tylenol. Then he left.”

“He left you?! With a concussion?!” She looked rather upset.

“Only when I promised to call someone.”

I think she wanted to shake me, or smack me. “But you didn’t.”

“No….” I sighed and reached a hand up, rubbing my forehead. “Look, what’s done is done.”

“I know that.”

I looked her way and met her gaze. “I’m sorry I didn’t call you. But I’m okay.”

“Yeah…” She studied me a moment. “So what makes you think he’s an angel?”

I wasn’t going to argue the semantics. “Well… if I believed in them, it’d probably be because…he always has this way of appearing, at the oddest times.”

“You’ve seen him before?” She sounded incredulous.

“Just once. Then he called me yesterday at work.”

“Who is he?”

I could only shake my head. “I have no idea. I wasn’t even going to tell you about him because the whole thing is just…so strange. I don’t even know what to make of it.”

I could tell Dianna was baffled. “And you don’t know his name?”

“No,” I looked her way again. “I never think to ask it until he’s gone. He just…” I searched for the words. “…appears. And then he’s gone.”

“Well,” she shrugged a little. “Maybe he is your angel.”

I made a little face. “They don’t exist.”

My friend reached over and rubbed my arm. “Just because you don’t think something exists doesn’t mean it’s not really there.”

I peeked my eyes her way, scowling a little bit at her statement. “Maybe I don’t want it to exist.”

“Maybe you’re just afraid to let it.”

That struck a chord and I was back to studying the patterns splashed across the blanket.

Chapter Eight by summer
Author's Notes:
Thank you so much for all the wonderful feedback! I love hearing your thoughts and ideas. Keep 'em coming.

 

 

I got flowers Thursday. Nothing big, just a small bouquet of yellow daisies mixed with baby’s breath, but they were beautiful; bright yellow petals, brilliant green stems and a scent that filled the room. There wasn’t a card though and the delivery man assured me he had the right person. I thanked him and then set them in the middle of the kitchen table. It was odd they hadn’t come with a card, but maybe the sender had just forgotten, or thought the company was including one. Maybe it had fallen off in the back of the delivery van.

It had been a long while since I’d received flowers that had nothing to do with funerals and sympathy greetings. Andrew, Anna, Zoe, Dianna. The different names ran through my head as possible senders and I finally gave up trying to figure it out. I’d mention it with each one and see what they had to say. After all, none of them had any reason to hide it. Speaking of Andrew, I checked my watch and headed from the kitchen towards the backyard. I needed to bring Daisy inside and hit the road. It would take me about half an hour to get downtown and to his office. We still had our friendly lunch date.

I actually felt rested that morning. Dianna had given me a couple Ambien CR and I’d taken one last night. The sleeping pill had kept me from waking even once, and had chased all nightmares, or Hugh filled dreams away. Instead, I’d been left with a very peaceful sleep and woke refreshed and ready to face the day. She had suggested, as I was standing on the porch ready to head out, that if they worked for me, I should visit my doctor and get my own prescription. I may just do that, I hadn’t felt this good in the mornings in a long time.

After collecting my dog and making sure she had enough chew toys to keep her occupied, I was out the door. My dark blue Saturn Aura got me safely to my location and Andrew was soon heading from his office, a warm smile on his face as he greeted me.

“It’s good to see you again.” His large hand swallowed mine as he took it and gave it a gentle squeeze.

I couldn’t help but smile. “You too. Thank you for inviting me.”

“Oh, it’s my pleasure.” He motioned us to walk and we made our way towards the elevators. “So, how have you been?”

I gave a little shrug. “Well, my boss gave me the week off to recuperate from the bump on my head.”

“Oh, that’s right; the infamous bump.” His azure eyes looked me over slowly, lingering on the still visible knot hidden beneath my hair. “You can hardly see a thing.”

“You’re too kind, but thank you.”

“It’s the truth.” He ushered me into the elevator and pressed the button for the ground floor. “I hope you’re hungry. Le Clare has some of the best dishes in the city. And just the right proportions for lunch.”

“Sounds wonderful.” I fiddled with the clutch handbag in my hands.

“It really is. You’ll have to try the Madeleine. It’s marvelous.”

I gave a little nod and we made small talk as we headed from the elevator and out of the building.

The restaurant was only a block away and soon we were seated at a little table, tucked away in the corner, surrounded by brilliantly colored paintings of the French countryside.

I took in the ambience, feeling comfortable, and thanked the server as she brought our drinks and gave the specials.

“So what’s good here?” I scanned the lunch menu, not sure if I even knew what some of the words were; luckily the descriptions were in English.

Andrew glanced to me over the top of his menu. “Well, are you in the mood for chicken, beef, fish or duck?”

I blinked. “They have duck?”

“It’s duck liver.”

“Oh...no.” I quickly shook my head. “Chicken’s good.”

He chuckled and pointed out a few things I might like and I decided on the Coq Au Vin; a chicken cooked in red wine sauce.

Andrew ordered something I could not even try to pronounce and soon we were left facing each other, a basket of bread sitting to the side.

I helped myself to a piece, buttering it and watching as it melted into the toasted bread. “I got flowers today.”

He was buttering his own bread. “Oh?”

“Yeah, daisies.”

“Yellow or white?”

“Yellow.” I set the knife down and watched him. “I don’t know who they’re from though.”

His dark brows lifted. “How come?”

“There was no card.”

“Ooh.” He gave a nod. “Maybe it was an oversight.”

“Probably.” I cut my piece in two then selected a half. “I may call the florist when I get home and see if they know anything.”

He gave a little nod. “What’s your favorite flower?”

“Lilacs.”

“Really? Most women say roses.”

I chuckled. “Roses are nice, yes …but Lilacs are so beautiful and their smell is like heaven.”

“They do have a nice fragrance.”

I bit into my bread and watched him. “What’s your favorite flower?”

“Do guys have those?”

“I’m sure there’s a kind you do like.”

He nodded and tilted his head, his brow creasing in thought. “Tulips. Yes, tulips. They’re different and bright.”

“Tulips are nice.”

He sent me a warm smile. “You seem to be more relaxed today.”

I blushed a little. “Well, I am. The other night was a first date, and this is just…” I glanced around the room then back to him. “…just a lunch.”

He gave a solemn nod and chewed his bread before speaking again. “You’re not really looking for anything, are you?”

Oh boy, wasn’t it a little early to have this kind of conversation? What happened to just being friends? “I…no,” I shook my head. “I’m not.”

Andrew accepted that and didn’t bring it up again until we had been served our main course and the server had left us alone.

“Dianna made it seem like you were.”

I glanced over at him from where I was cutting the steaming chicken. “She did?”

“Yeah,” He began to prepare his own meal. “She said she had a friend she wanted me to meet. Said I’d really like her and that she thought she’d really like me. Thought we’d hit it off.”

“Well, sometimes Dianna gets over excited.”

Andrew chuckled and I relaxed some; he didn’t seem angry. “That’s very true.”

I busied myself with cutting the tender meat into bites I could eat. “I’ve had… a really, really hard past couple of years. It’s really done a number on me and …” I trailed off, not sure if I wanted to get into all that, or even admit I was damaged.

“Hey,” he held a hand up. “No explanation necessary.”

His eyes soothed me and I sent him a grateful smile. “I think ‘just a lunch’ is exactly what I need right now. If….if that’s okay with you.”

The corners of his eyes crinkled from the smile he sent me. “It’s perfectly fine with me.”

That made me feel a whole lot better and I just watched him. “Thank you. You have no idea what that means to me at the moment.”

“Well, you’re very welcome.” He reached over and touched my arm. “Though this does mean that now you’re stuck having a lot of ‘just a lunches’ with me.”

I gave a soft laugh and brushed some hair from my face. “I can handle that.”

And I could.

~*~*~*~*~

After lunch I spent the rest of the afternoon at the mall. I bought a few new business suits for work, a cute party dress that I had no idea when I’d even wear, but it was just too cute to pass up, and some jeans and regular tops. Retail therapy was one of the most therapeutic kinds and whenever I had something on my mind, or felt a little down and out, I’d hit up the mall. Probably not one of the best decisions, but a new purse or bracelet or shoes always made me feel better.

On the way home I stopped by this cozy little diner that had some of the best cherry pie I’d ever tasted. I got a BLT, some fries and a slice of pie to go, then made my way merrily along towards home. The sun was beginning to set as I pulled into my driveway and parked in the garage. Brilliant streaks of red, orange, pink and purple were painted across the sky and I decided to eat out on the patio, enjoy the view and watch the sun set slowly over the water. Leaving all my bags in the car to collect later, I took my food into the house where Daisy greeted me and nearly knocked it from my hands.

“Calm down.” I chuckled and set it to the side before crouching down and paying her attention. She loved on me and I scratched behind her ears, ruffling her fur and talking softly to her.

After she had her share, she trotted off to the patio doors, giving a little bark.

“I know, you have to potty.” I crossed the room and undid the latch, sliding the door open.

She took off across the yard, barking adamantly and I frowned. That was unlike my dog. Was there a seagull in the backyard?

As I stepped out onto the back patio I realized she was probably running off to meet her lover boy again. “Daisy!” I hollered after her, starting from the slate gray stone and into the grassy yard, but something about twenty feet out in the grass made me slow.

At first it appeared to be a mound of brown, black and white, but then I realized that mound was fur…and the fur belonged to a dog. As I drew closer I recognized the fallen animal; Bernie.

Daisy had recognized him as well, for she had stopped and was pawing at him, nudging him and barking as if saying ‘hey, what’s wrong with you? Get up and let’s go play.’.

But her male companion didn’t respond, not even so much as to wag a tail.

I felt a twinge of worry in my chest as I knelt down by him, gently touching his head.

At first I thought he was dead, but when he felt my hand he gave a weak attempt to lift his head.

I frowned and smoothed his fur. “Shh, it’s okay. Don’t move.” Like he could understand me, though he seemed to be for he settled down again, his eyes closed and his chest rising very faintly from his breath.

Something was terribly wrong with this dog. Alarm rang through me and when I heard the whimper he gave, I knew I needed to do something.

Jumping to my feet, I told Daisy to stay put and made a beeline for the house. I hurried to the closet and pulled out a large sheet, shaking it open as I dashed back outside and to his side.

Dropping to my knees, I laid the sheet onto the grass then I managed to carefully lift Bernie onto it. I did a quick once over for any signs of injuries, but there didn’t seem to be any. That worried me more, which meant whatever was hurting him was internal and something serious.

Wrapping the sheet around him, I managed to lift him into my arms and then started for the house. Daisy stayed at my side, watching me and looking like she wanted to climb into my embrace as well. I kept her from getting underfoot and tripping us then got Bernie safely to the garage and into the backseat of my car. Daisy slipped in before I could shoo her away and I knew there was no way I could get her back out. I told her to behave, then ran back into the house and gathered my purse and keys.

Once I was back in the car, I managed to get the phone number off Bernie’s collar, then buckled and backed from the drive. I punched it into my cell then hit send, steering my Saturn down the road and heading for the all-hours veterinarian hospital.

The phone rang three times before a male voice answered. “Hello?”

I kept my eyes on the road, glancing every so often at the rearview mirror and Bernie in the back, Daisy next to him. “Um… hi. You don’t know me, but um… I found your dog passed out in my backyard. He doesn’t look to be doing too well, so I’m taking him over to the animal hospital off Vineland. Do you know where that is?”

There was a pause and I sent a quick look to the phone, making sure I had dialed the correct number. “Um, hello?”

“I… I’m here.” The voice came back. “Which… dog?”

“Uh, his tag said Bernie.”

“And he was passed out in your yard?”

I nodded and took a left at a green light. “Yes, not really responding. So I wrapped him in a sheet and we’re on our way to that animal hospital. Do you know where it is?”

“I do. I’ll meet you there. Thank you.”

I opened my mouth to respond then realized he’d already hung up.

Tossing my phone into the passenger seat, I gripped the wheel with both hands and slowed for a stop sign. Bernie was still not moving and I began to silently pray that he would be okay. I didn’t want to have to tell this guy that his dog died. Or was dying.

A few moments later I pulled into the parking lot and claimed a spot. I cut the engine and clambered from the car, managing to ease Bernie out without knocking his head into the door. Then with Daisy following, I got him inside and passed him over to the nurse behind the desk. She whisked him off and I sank down into one of the orange vinyl chairs to wait; Daisy resting at my feet.

The receptionist wanted me to fill out papers, but I told her he wasn’t mine; I’d found him in our backyard and the owner should be coming shortly. She didn’t seem happy that they didn’t know any information about the dog, but she set the clipboard aside and resumed whatever filing she was doing.

I chewed my thumbnail and glanced to the large clock over the doorway, hopefully it wouldn’t take this guy very long. And then I began to hope that he wouldn’t take any of his anger or frustrations over the situation out on me.

Daisy’s collar clinked against the cement floor as she shifted and I looked down to her, leaning over some and smoothing her fur. “I know you’re worried. I am too.”

She leaned into my touch, those big eyes watching me with the saddest expression.

“If he gets through this, I promise you’ll get to see him more often.”

That seemed to satisfy her for she settled down against the ground again, watching towards the direction they’d disappeared with Bernie.

It wasn’t but a few minutes more before the bell above the door jingled and someone stepped into the building. I glanced over, expecting to see Bernie’s owner, but felt my heart skip a beat instead.

My angel stood there; a rather unreadable expression on his face.

Our eyes locked and I felt that twinge in my chest.

“Well, this is a surprise.” His voice sent chills down my spine and my back stiffened.

“I…” I was speechless. Was Bernie his dog? Or was he just…here? He did have a way of showing up at random times.

“I thought that was you on the phone.”

I could hear my heart pounding in my ears. “B..Bernie?”

“Yeah, he’s my dog.”

I was floored. “They uh….um…”

He gave a low chuckle and something told me he’d look more amused had he not been so worried about his dog. “Sit tight, I’ll be right back.” Then he strolled over to the reception desk.

I watched as he conversed with the receptionist then took a moment to fill the clipboard out, nodding as she picked up the phone and made a call. He waited until she was finished and they spoke, keeping their voices low so they wouldn’t be overheard.

At my feet, Daisy nudged my leg and I glanced down to her. “This is a weird day.”

She gave a little whine in response and rose to her feet, shaking her body before settling onto the ground once more.

“They’re running some tests on him.”

His voice was at my side and I jerked, looking over and feeling a warmth spread through my chest as our eyes met again. I blinked and shook it away, clearing my throat some. “Uh… I… I’m sorry.”

He gave a shrug, relaxing back in the chair and stretching his legs out. “Don’t be. I’m just glad you brought him here.”

So he was totally human. I was right, there were no such things as angels. “Well of course, I was worried.”

He gave a nod and looked to where Daisy was sniffing at his jeans. “Well, hello again.” Reaching a hand out, he stroked her head, chuckling as she tried to lick his fingers. “You’re a friendly girl, aren’t you?”

“Too friendly.” A beat. “She thinks your dog is her boyfriend.”

“Really?” He glanced to me then back to the chocolate lab. “I kinda thought he might be sneaking down to the beach to meet a girl.”

I gave a little nod. “Yeah, the past couple weeks they’ve been cavorting in the sand. You should have seen how worried she was when we found Bernie lying in my yard. She refused to leave his side once.”

“They sound pretty serious, huh?”

I nodded and tucked some blonde hair behind my ear. “Seems that way.”

He was quiet and I could feel his eyes on me; they were making the pulse in my neck throb. I couldn’t look at him, I was afraid of how his gaze would cause me to unravel. Instead, I stroked Daisy’s flank, managing to get her to sit back on her hunches and stop trying to love on the man next to me.

“I guess you’ve figured me out.”

He sounded as smooth as silk and sex. I pretended not to notice. “Hm?”

“I’m not an angel.”

I smoothed my fingers over Daisy’s ear, keeping my eyes on her. “I know.”

He was silent for just a few moments. “Ya know, ever since we met I’ve been trying to figure you out.”

This time I allowed our eyes to meet. “Why?”

“Because you intrigue me.”

A line creased my forehead. “Why?”

“I don’t have an answer for that yet. But I think if we keep having these encounters I’ll start to figure something out.”

I really didn’t know what to respond to that with and was grateful when a tall man with salt n’ pepper hair and wire rimmed glasses, wearing a white lab coat, appeared with a clipboard. He asked for the owner of the dog and my companion rose to his feet. They moved off to the side and I looked back to Daisy, wondering if we should go.

Something inside told me to stay.

“He thinks Bernie has cancer.”

I blinked and looked back to the gentleman as he sank next to me once more. “What?”

He gave a nod and ran a hand over his face before pinching the bridge of his nose.

I had never realized how good looking he was. Long, dark lashes framed his expressive eyes, his skin was a golden tanned color, the way his clothes hung on him accentuated his toned arms and chest, and his scent was spicy, with just the slightest hint of something more. I bit my cheek as I realized I was checking him out, and then mentally scolded myself.

“What um… why do they think he has cancer?” I forced myself to pay attention to the matter at hand.

“They found some tumors on the bones in his ribs. They won’t know for sure until they get the test results back, but the chances are good that it’s …bone cancer. I don’t remember the words he used.”

I felt my stomach twist. “God, I’m … I’m so sorry.”

He gave a little shrug, his eyes staring off in the distance.

I wanted to reach over and touch him, offer some kind of comfort. “Maybe… they’ve caught it in time.”

Those brown eyes flickered at me. “There were a lot of tumors.”

“Oh God.”

He gave a heavy sigh and seemed to be deep in thought. Finally he turned back to me. “Thank you for um…bringing him here, but you can go. I don’t want to keep you from anything.”

Something stirred inside of me and I reached over, lacing our fingers together. His hand was warm and surprisingly soft, and very much real. “I don’t have anywhere to be.”

He blinked and watched me, slightly surprised. “Are…you sure?”

I studied him, recognizing the sadness and fear in his eyes. “Absolutely.”

I still didn’t know his name, and I didn’t care. He needed someone, and I needed something to believe in again.

Chapter Nine by summer
Author's Notes:
Sorry this chp took awhile. I got a little writer's block, but I'm back. Thoughts always appreciated. Thanks! :)

 

Hours later I lay stretched out in a lounge chair on my balcony, just staring out into the night and hearing the waves crash upon the shore. Daisy was at my feet, curled into a ball, dozing. I watched her for a moment, thinking over how I’d feel if Daisy got cancer. I’d be scared to death. More so because I’d already lost a husband, I didn’t want to lose the only other precious thing I had left. Maybe that’s why I related to my beach angel so easily.

We had stayed, sitting in those chairs, neither speaking until they had brought Bernie back out. He was still wrapped in my sheet and I felt tears prick my eyes at how helpless he looked.

My forlorn companion had accepted him in his embrace and talked softly to him, promising lots of yummy treats and new toys, then together we’d headed for our vehicles.

I reached my Saturn first, and Daisy whined as I forced her into the car. She wanted to stay with Bernie.

I wasn’t sure what to say as I turned and faced him, reading the expression of hopelessness that covered his face. So I simply said if he needed anything, he knew where to find me.

He thanked me and I watched as he continued on towards his SUV. Then I slipped into my vehicle and was on my way.

Daisy watched out the back window the entire way home. Then she moped around, barely touching her dinner and curling up with me as I stretched out on the balcony.

I watched her then turned my attention back overhead, taking in the twinkling stars. One shot across the sky and I closed my eyes, making a wish.

Please heal Bernie.

It was simple yet it surprised me, and then I realized that I didn’t want anyone to ever have to go through what I had. A dog was nothing like another human, but the loss could be devastating.

Sitting up some, I reached over and grabbed my phone, dialing a number then holding it to my ear.

“Hello?” I was greeted with a sleepy voice.

“His dog is dying.”

“Wha…Morgan?”

I glanced towards the receiver. “Did I wake you? I’m sorry.”

“Yes.” Dianna replied. “What time is it?”

“Like midnight I think. I’m sorry … I can let you go.”

“Well, I’m awake now. What’s up? Who’s dying?”

“His dog.”

“Whose dog?”

“Remember that guy I told you about…”

There was a pause. “The angel?”

“He’s not an angel and yes. Bernie is his dog.”

“Who the hell is Bernie?” She was so confused.

“His dog. Daisy’s dog-friend.” I explained, reaching and touching her head as she stirred a little.

“Daisy’s dog-friend is your angel’s dog? What a small world.”

“He’s not an angel.”

“How do you know?”

I sighed and pushed some hair from my face. “He’s as human as you and me.”

“Not all angels are spiritual ones. Some are very human.”

I ignored her. “Bernie has cancer.”

“Dogs can get cancer?”

“Yes. The vet found a lot of tumors and he’s running tests on them. The results should come back tomorrow.”

“Today.”

“What?”

“The results should come back today. It’s already tomorrow.”

My brow furrowed. “Are you trying to confuse me?”

She gave a sigh. “So, how did you find out about this?”

So I relayed my tale, starting with finding Bernie passed out in the yard, and ending with how Daisy was handling the situation.

Dianna listened without saying a word until I had finished.

“And you still don’t know his name?”

I blinked, caught off guard by that random question. “Uh…” Then it dawned on me that neither of us had introduced ourselves. In fact, we had hardly spoken after I had taken his hand and told him I wasn’t leaving. Words just hadn’t seemed right.

“I really need to meet this guy.”

I lifted a brow. “Why?”

“Well, either he’s so damn hot that you are rendered speechless each time, hence the forgetting to get his name. Or, every time he’s around, you go mute.”

I frowned. “I don’t go speechless or mute. It just…never comes up.”

“Maybe so.” She gave a yawn and I found myself echoing it. “So his dog is dying? That’s pretty sad.”

“Yeah it is…” I sighed and tugged my shirt down some. “I didn’t know what to say. Things like ‘it’ll be okay’ or ‘things get better’ are not something you want to hear when you’re going through something like that.”

“Sometimes just knowing someone is there with you is enough.”

I gave a little nod. “Right. I think it helped that I stayed with him.”

“Did you at least get his number?”

I eyed the phone, already seeing the wheels turning in her head. “Do not even take it there.”

“Where?”

“You know where.”

“Morgan,” Dianna chuckled low. “I was merely asking so you could call and check on the dog. He is Daisy’s dog-friend. You’re the one who went there with it.”

“I did not go anywhere.”

She chuckled again. “I think sometimes life has a way of working everything out on its own time.”

I think I wanted to knock her in the head with the phone. “Go back to bed, you’re talking gibberish.”

“Mmkay.” She sounded so amused.

I frowned. “Go to sleep. I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”

“Today.”

“What?”

“It’s already tomorrow.”

I just shook my head. “Good-night, Dianna.” Then I clicked the phone off and tossed it into the chair next to mine.

Whatever she had been implying, or not implying, made me frown. I didn’t even know the guy, how could there be any feelings there? He could be a serious nut job, or a psychopathic killer. Hell, I didn’t even know his name. How could she even begin to think that there was anything more than acquaintances and compassion for his situation involved?

I rolled my eyes at what she had brought up and pushed myself from the chair, Daisy lifting her head to watch me. Grabbing up the phone, I started back into the house with it. Whatever Dianna had been not suggesting was suddenly filling my head. I tried to push it away but it fought back and with a frown I fell backwards across my bed. We were nothing more than two people who happened to meet and share a sad encounter. He had needed someone, and not wanting him to feel alone like I felt, I had been that someone.

But something in the back of my head told me I was the one speaking gibberish.

~*~*~*~*~

Friday morning I went for a long run. Put my ipod into the athletic clip and strapped it to my arm, then tied on my tennis shoes and was out the door. Usually I took to the roads, but today I decided to run along the beach. Sometimes, when something was bothering me I’d just run. For some reason it helped to purge me and cleanse my soul. My feet pounding hard on the pavement, my chest heaving, the sound of my heart thudding in my ears; it was all soothing to me. And I’d come back feeling somewhat better.

I didn’t run for a long time after Hugh died. I didn’t have the energy, desire or need. My father had told me one time, after I’d settled in California, that I was still running, just not in the same sense. I had locked his words in the very farthest box in my mind. But that morning as the sun beat down on me, and my feet kicked up some of the hard packed sand, I wondered if maybe he was right. Had I run from Connecticut, my family, my entire life? I had only been trying to start over. And I didn’t want to be reminded of my dead husband every day, or have to continuously answer question upon question about how I was feeling or how I was coping, or how things were going. The six long months I did endure them had been excruciatingly painful.

A month ago I’d started running again. I’d woken up and had the sudden urge to dig out my cross trainers and get out there. Of course I didn’t get as far as I used to be able to. But now I was back to running three times a week and it was getting easier. I usually tried to get it in before work, but a few times I had to go in the early evening. Dianna went with me one time, then swore never again.

But that Friday, despite the diminishing lump on my forehead, I was at it again. As I ran, keeping my breathing even and my abs tucked in, I thought about my clientele and hoped they hadn’t minded when Zoe had called to reschedule my appointments for next week. I hadn’t gotten a phone call, so I assumed things were okay. I was supposed to show a house that afternoon, but now my calendar was wide open and I had nothing to do. I could take Daisy to the park, or I could go bother Dianna. I could meet up with Anna for lunch. I could clean my house, go grocery shopping, lie on the beach and tan. Zoe mentioned a vacation; I could drive up the coast.

I still hadn’t made my mind up when I returned home. Maybe I’d just watch TV all day or something.

Daisy greeted me as I headed into my house, and I left the sliding door open for her. She trotted out to do her business and I swiped a bottled water from the fridge, taking a long drink. Glancing to the time, I headed for the stairs and up them to get a shower and get dressed.

Thirty minutes later I came down the stairs to find Dixon Giles in my living room. He was standing at the fireplace looking over the pictures I had on the mantle.

“What the hell are you doing here?”

He whirled around upon hearing me, a guilty look covering his face. “Hey, sorry… um…your backdoor was open so I just kinda…slipped in.”

I frowned at him; he’d nearly given me a heart attack. “Have you not heard of using the bell?”

“I did. But when you didn’t respond, I became worried.”

“Well, did it occur to you that maybe I was busy?”

He shrugged like it hadn’t. “I was worried. You have a head injury, what if you were splayed out across the floor?”

I wasn’t going to argue with him. “Please don’t just come into my house again.” Crossing the room, I whistled for Daisy and watched as she trotted back in, eyeing Dixon all warily. Where the hell had she been when he’d first come into the backyard? Probably looking for lover boy; Daisy was no watchdog.

“Alright, I won’t. I apologize.” He watched the dog uneasily and I almost smirked.

“Thank you.” I rested my hands on my hips. “So what can I help you with?” The sooner this sleezeball left my house, the better.

“I was just stopping by to see how you were doing. We all miss you.”

I shrugged. “I’m doing okay. Tell everyone I miss them too.”

He gave a little nod. “Do you need anything?”

“No, I’m good, but thanks.” I was waiting for him to lunge at me or something.

Dixon gave a little nod then glanced towards the fireplace. “So … I didn’t know you were married.”

I felt my breath catch. “Excuse me?”

He motioned towards the pictures neatly arranged on the mantle. “Your wedding photo.”

“That’s…you…. It….” I frowned. “You… should go; you’re going to be late.”

His dark eyes blinked slowly. “I didn’t mean anything by it.”

I ignored him and headed for the front door, undoing the locks.

“Oh, I get it.” His tone became cynical. “A divorce, but you just can’t let go yet.”

In a flash, I whirled and stalked to him, my eyes blazing. “Shut up! You know nothing about me!”

He didn’t even bat an eye. “Such a shame. That’s so unhealthy, you know. I bet he’s remarried and every-”

But I cut him off when my palm connected sharply with his cheek, sending a crack through the room. “Get out! Get out of my house!”

Dixon grabbed his cheek, a red spot immediately appearing. “Fuck! You need to calm down.”

I yanked the door open. “Don’t tell me to calm down. Get out of my house.”

He frowned at me then moved past me and out onto the stoop. “You’re acting like a crazy bitch.”

I just glared at him, swinging the door shut so hard it caused the wall to shake.

He had some nerve. To come into this house without permission, look through my personal belongings then make rash judgments about things. And his attitude had shown his true personality. I always knew he was a sleaze. He should have been lucky the only thing I did was slap him when it fact, I wanted nothing more than to tear his hair out. If we ran into each other at work, he better watch out.

It wasn’t until I had locked the door again before I realized I was trembling.

Daisy nudged me leg and I glanced to her.

“What is it, girl?”

She moved past me and back to the living room, standing by the open patio door.

“Heh, yeah we need to close that.” I joined her then went about sliding the door shut and getting it locked. “The last thing we need is that asshole trying to come back in.”

She barked a response and for a moment I really thought she understood. Rather she did or not, she knew he was bad news and wanted him to stay out as well.

Least we agreed on that.

~*~*~*~*~

I got ready for bed relatively early. After Dixon had been kicked out, I’d ended up cleaning the house top to bottom. I’d always heard that when people were angry, they cleaned. And that turned out to be true. By the time I was finished, my shoulders ached, my back was sore, my hands scrubbed raw, but I fell a hell of a lot better. I relaxed in a bath, soothing my muscles and trying to wash the thoughts of the day away. I just wanted to forget about Dixon and his behavior. And make sure I was on my toes when I returned to work on Monday.

The steam from the water filled the bathroom and I rested my head back against the tub, my hair clipped up to keep it from getting wet. This was nice; I loved my bathroom. It was large, with a deep Jacuzzi tub and marble walk-in shower. Little round lights lined the vanity and the mirrors wrapped around, allowing you views from every angle. It was a safe haven and many nights I’d find myself relaxing in a bubble bath, seeking solace from the harsh world.

As I relaxed there, I thought back to the animal hospital. I had told him to call me if he needed anything and I wondered if he would. If he did, what could I even do? There wasn’t anything to say in that situation that they would even care to hear. Just being there was enough, Dianna had said. I could try that, but it might be a little awkward considering I didn’t know him. What was I even thinking; he had his own friends and people who could be there for him. He had only needed someone last night and I had filled in.

I pushed him, his dog, and the whole situation out of my head.

Three more weeks would be the second anniversary of Hugh’s death. I still wasn’t feeling any better than I had a year ago. As I swirled my toes in the water, I wondered what life would be like today if he were still here.

We’d be living in Connecticut, and he’d shovel the drive every time it snowed. By now we would have probably added to our family; a little boy, or girl, with his charming smile and my beautiful blue eyes. And on the weekends we’d all go to the zoo, or the park. I wondered how many children we would have had, where we’d have gone on our summer vacations. What kind of father he would have been…what kind of mother I would have been. Then I wondered if I’d ever have children. Or was I going to be alone the rest of my life?

And in the warmth of the bathroom, I felt a chill move through me.

Chapter Ten by summer
Author's Notes:
Thanks so much for all the feedback!

 

I didn’t see my mysterious beach angel again until Sunday. I spent the afternoon with Anna and her family. She made pot roast with roasted potatoes and carrots and then we just relaxed in the living room, discussing the different current events of the world before playing some cards. She was always so relaxing to be around; no pressure to get over what I’m dealing with, no pressure to move on with my life, just me …being myself and feeling how I feel. Her husband, Greg, was probably one of the nicest guys I have ever met. He was so genuine and pleasant, very considerate and always went out of his way to make you feel at ease and welcomed. They had an adorable toddler, Abigail, who looked just like her mother and adored her father.

It was a nice, relaxing afternoon and I decided to stop by the grocery store in the way home. I preferred to get my errands done while I was already out as opposed to having to go out just to do them. That way on my days off, I could just relax and enjoy them. Not have to worry about what bills I needed to mail, or making a list then doing some shopping. I hated grocery shopping. It was so tedious to have to figure out what you wanted to eat that week then walk aisle after aisle deciding which brand was better and what price you wished to pay. Such a hassle for me and so I’d usually end up waiting until the very last minute which of course then meant I’d come home with a car chock full of bags.

But on that warm, Sunday evening, I made the dreaded stop. Fortunately I wasn’t inside for too long, I took my cart and cruised the aisles, selecting the different items before making my way to the checkout. After paying, and loading the bags into my cart, I strolled along towards the exit, stopping just outside to slip on my sunglasses. The sun was very bright that early evening and I didn’t want to have to squint while driving home.

As I slipped my sunglass case back into my purse, something caught my eye and I looked, feeling a chill run down the middle of my chest and straight into my stomach. It was my beach angel; no he wasn’t really an angel, he was just another regular human. But still, there he stood, watching me behind dark shades with a cigarette pinched between his thumb and forefinger.

He stood straighter when our eyes met and flicked some cigarette ash onto the ground. “I wasn’t expecting to see you here.”

That rich voice made my heart beat just a little faster. “I uh… always shop here.”

“So I see.”

“Are you stalking me?”

He took a drag from the cigarette before speaking, plumes of smoke escaping his mouth and nose. “Sure seems that way, doesn’t it. Us always running into each other.”

I shrugged. “Maybe it’s just a coincidence.”

“A very weird coincidence.”

“So you are stalking me.”

“I’m not stalking anyone.” He smashed the butt of his cigarette into one of those trash cans with the ash tray that circled the rim.

I didn’t think he was. “How’s um… Bernie?”

He was now pulling a pack of gum from his pocket. “Doc called me with the results Friday. It’s definitely cancer.”

“Gosh, I’m so sorry.”

“Don’t be.” He popped a piece of the gum into his mouth before offering me the pack. I just shook my head. “Doc said that it’s treatable and that it’s not usually the cancer that kills dogs. Long as his kidneys and liver don’t start malfunctioning we have a fighting chance.”

“That’s… that’s good news, right?” I was teetering on the edge of either hope or despair.

He gave a nod and repocketed his gum. “It’s better than what I had been expecting. I have this long list of things I have to do now.”

“Well um…” I shifted and rolled the cart back and forth, wanting to tell him everything would be fine, but knowing that is the last thing you are supposed to say. It’s not going to be fine, and it may never be fine again. “I um…I’m sorry and I wish you the best with everything.”

“Thank you.”

He sounded so somber and suddenly I wanted to console him, cradle him and sooth his fear away. “You’re welcome.” I offered a hopeful smile then motioned towards my bags of food. “I’m gonna get going…don’t want to spoil the milk.”

“Right, don’t want that.”

I nodded. “Exactly. I’ll um… see you around.” Then I turned and started for my car, feeling his eyes still on me.

I had only gotten a few feet away when he spoke.

“Have dinner with me.”

I froze, his words registering and causing my heart to leap up into my throat.

“Please.”

Slowly, I turned to face him, seeing he had removed his shades and was watching me with such a raw and honest expression. It made my chest twinge.

“Wednesday night.” He stepped from the sidewalk and onto the black pavement of the parking lot. “Unless you’re busy Wednesday night. I could do Thursday. Even Friday.”

I didn’t know what to say, so I just stared at him feeling a pressure welling inside.

He was moving closer to me and those eyes were making my knees knock together. “Maybe even Saturday.”

“Y…wh…I…”

He stopped just a few inches from me, reaching a hand up and gently brushing my cheek with it. “Whichever day works best for you.”

I felt like I could topple over sideways. “Y…you aren’t… you aren’t serious.”

Those allusive eyes bore into mine. “As serious as a heart attack.”

“Well I… um you.. um I um…”

His lips curved into a smile. “Wednesday night it is.” His hand smoothed down my arm and gave it a gentle squeeze. “I’ll pick you up at seven.” And then he turned and strode towards the entrance of the grocery store without so much as a glance back.

I stared at his retreating form. What the hell had just happened here? I was thoroughly confused and felt my head swimming at trying to wrap it around how this man, whose name I didn’t even know, had talked me into having dinner with him.

The honk from a car jerked me back to my senses and I quickly pushed my cart, and myself, out of the way.

As I loaded my grocery bags into the back of my Aura, I was still trying to figure what exactly had transpired. It had happened so quickly and left me stumbling over myself and unable to comprehend it in time. And now I had this date with this man … and I was still at a complete loss for words.

~*~*~*~*~

On Monday I was back at work. I spent most of the morning and afternoon showing houses. I had three prospective clients. Brandon and Kaitlyn Martin, a newly married couple that had just moved from Arizona; he was an orthopedic surgeon and she was a hair stylist. They were a picturesque couple with their blonde hair and dreamy blue eyes, perfect bodies and complete and total adoration for each other. He wanted her to have the house she’d always dreamed about so we had spent a good three hours touring two perspective locations. They, of course, wanted a couple days to think it over but promised to call before the weekend. One property was a hot commodity so I had let them know, the sooner the better.

Next up were Kyle and Gayle Weatherly. They were a middle aged couple married going on 20 years with two teenage boys and a tween girl. The Weatherly’s were looking for areas with good schools, safe neighborhoods and places not too far from the activities their children liked to participate in. Aaron was a soccer fanatic, trying to gain a scholarship for college, Kevin was working towards his black belt in martial arts and little Melody could bend over backwards and walk on her hands from all her gymnastics training; a very active family that needed a house that represented exactly that. It was trying to find something that fit all of their needs, but I had uncovered one home hidden away in lush foliage with a backyard big enough for a makeshift soccer field. They fell in love immediately and made an offer.

And my final client of the day was Peter Berkins. He was in his mid 50’s and strikingly handsome, with blond hair tinged with steaks of silver, a golden tan; sparkling green eyes and a smile that made him look ten years younger. This was his third home; he already had one in Florida and Colorado. He was single and not looking for anything more than someone to warm his bed at night; a rich playboy who kept the champagne flowing and girls satisfied. He wanted a beach house with big floor to ceiling windows and a deck that would lead you directly down to the beach. He hadn’t been easy to accommodate and after our third beach home, we’d finally called it a day and agreed to try again on Friday.

I was back in the office by four. I filled in the paperwork required and sent over the offer the Weatherly’s had given me. I should have an answer back by Wednesday. They had been very excited and I could tell would probably go a bit higher in their bid if need be. Hopefully it wouldn’t come to that. I was pretty sure the current owners would feel satisfied with the offer and accept. Then we’d be in escrow and deal with the bank until finally everyone was approved and they had their home. A tedious process, but very rewarding.

I had signed off my computer account and was straightening up my desk when Zoe Houghton stepped from her office. She wore a crisp, tailored, dark blue suit and her red hair was piled high atop her head. She always moved with finesses and power, and just one look at her and one would definitely know who was in charge. I slipped my files into my desk drawer and closed it, turning the key so the lock slipped into place and watched as she stopped at the head of the room, folding her arms across her chest and clearing her throat.

“I have an announcement.” She finally spoke, her voice ringing clear throughout the room.

All eyes turned towards her, their motions ceasing.

“The National Association of Realtors will be hosting their annual expo in three months, over the last weekend in June. And of course, I would like for this company to have a few representatives there. It’s going to be a four day event and will consist of a variety of conferences and meetings, as well as an opportunity to browse the expo floor and learn about new techniques, new software and much more valuable information.” She paused and gave her words time to register.

“I will be selecting the attendees, but it will be based off of your ratio on how many homes you are able to market and sell to how many clients you have taken on. The top two will be chosen and put up in a hotel; accommodations and meals taken care of. In the event of a tie, then all the winners shall attend. There is one catch though…” She paused and scanned the room over.

A few murmurs sounded, but for the most part all kept quiet waiting to hear what Zoe had to say.

“The conference this year will be in Hawaii.”

Suddenly everyone was talking at once.

“Hawaii?!”

“That’s great!”

“Where do I sign up?”

“I want to go!”

“Count me in!”

Zoe let them converse in excitement for a moment before holding up her hand. “Obviously, not everyone can attend. So I thought the top two sales agents over the next three months should be the ones to represent our firm. It’s only fair and I think it’s going to be a good incentive to sell some houses.” She looked around the room, taking in all the eager and excited faces. “So, good luck. And if you have any questions, I will be posting the information and brochures on the bulletin board. Anything else, just let me know. I’m expecting to see fabulous results.” Then with a final grin, she turned and headed back into her office.

Of course that’s all anyone could talk about for the last couple hours.

Anna stopped by my desk, propping her hip against the mahogany wood. “How exciting is that? Hawaii?!”

I leaned back in my chair, turning my baby blues onto her. “Yeah, it’s very exciting.” Truth be told, I was not that eager to go. Yes, I knew that at the moment I was the top realtor the agency had, but in three months I might not be. And secretly I wished I wouldn’t be. I never wanted to go to Hawaii again.

Hugh and I had honeymooned on the white beaches of the beautiful island state. We’d made love in the surf, gone scuba diving, hiked and toured a volcano in a helicopter. We’d island hopped and gone out on those little glass bottom boats. We swam with dolphins and took lazy walks amongst the wildlife. It was probably the most amazing time I’ve ever had and now all it would do was drudge up more feelings and memories I didn’t want to be having.

“What’s wrong?”

Anna’s voice cut through my reverie and I blinked, focusing on her once more. “Um, nothing.”

“You sure? You looked….a little out of sorts.”

I nodded and sat up again. “Yeah, I’m good.”

She eyed me with a knowing look, but let it drop. “So, rumor has it, you’re the top agent as of right now.”

How had that gotten out? “Really?” I pretended not to know.

“Mhm, apparently Maureen overheard Zoe talking with her secretary.”

“Oh.”

“That’s great, Morgan. Means you have a head start on everybody else. You showed some houses today, right? How’d that go?”

I rubbed the back of my neck and gave a little shrug. “Well, the newlyweds have to think it over, the married with kids couple made an offer and the Hugh Heffner wannabe didn’t like anything. We have another appointment Friday.”

“So that’s one for sure…possibly even two.”

“Unless the offer falls through, or the bank doesn’t accept the loan.”

“I’m sure none of that will happen and you’ll be basking in the warm Hawaiian sun before you know it. Ooh, I wonder who that second person will be.”

“Let’s hope it’s not Dixon.”

“Speaking of which, do you know he’s going around telling people you slapped him?”

My brows shot up. “Really?”

She nodded, her dark hair bobbing. “Yeah, he said he stopped by your place to see how you were doing and you went crazy on him.”

If he were standing here right now I’d go more than crazy on him. “I should have clawed his eyes out.”

Anna took in my frown. “What happened?”

“He showed up out of the blue, let himself into my house and then proceeded to look through my belongings before I found him.”

Anna’s eyes widened as I spoke and she brought a hand to her mouth, obviously shocked.

I nodded my head in affirmation. “He was looking through all the photographs on my mantle.”

“So you slapped him?”

“Not yet. First, I asked what he was doing in my house and how he’d gotten in. It was when he was going on about…” my voice dropped a notch. “…Hugh and how it must have been a divorce I couldn’t let go of… that’s when I slapped him.”

Anna gawked. “He seriously said it was a divorce you couldn’t let go of?”

I nodded, a rather annoyed expression on my face.

“I’m surprised you didn’t kick him in the balls.”

“I didn’t think of that.”

“Geeze, what a bastard.”

“Tell me about it.” A snort. “And now he’s telling people I went crazy on him? I oughta go kick him in the balls right now.”

My friend waved her hand. “While that is something I’m not totally against, I think it’d be much wiser if you just ignored it. Everyone knows Dixon can be all hot air and no one really takes him seriously.”

“I don’t want rumors spread about me.”

She shook her head. “There won’t be. They all know how level headed and rational you are and how slimy he can be. I’m sure they figure he put the moves on you and was turned down; so now he’s telling people you went crazy so he doesn’t look bad.”

I frowned. “Well that doesn’t sound much better.”

“It’ll all blow over in a day or two.” Anna slipped from the desk and gave my shoulder a squeeze. “Don’t let it get to you. Don’t let him get to you.”

Yeah, that’s definitely something I was trying not to let happen. “You’re right.” I nodded and tucked some hair behind my ear. “Let’s not talk about this anymore.”

“Sure thing.” My friend merrily chirped as she changed the subject. “So, when you win the trip to Hawaii, are you going to buy a new bathing suit? Ooh, we could go shopping together.”

I chuckled low and tilted my head, deciding to amuse her. “Sure, but on one condition…”

“What’s that?” She lifted a brow.

“You have to go with me.”

Anna chuckled and waved a hand, dismissing my statement. “I already said I would.”

“No,” I laughed. “You have to go to Hawaii. You have to be the second winner.”

“But I-“

“Come on, Anna. Don’t make me go with anyone else…like Dixon.” I chuckled. “He may not make it back in one piece.”

“You’re right. That would not be a good combination.”

I beamed. “You’ll come then?”

She gave a little sigh and seemed to be mulling it over. “I suppose I could. Greg could take the weekend off and we could leave Abi with my parents.”

I rose from my chair, grabbing up my leather-bound bag. “Good. It’s settled then.”

Anna gave a firm nod. “Yes. We’re going to win the contest and go to Hawaii.”

“Right.” I slipped a few folders into my bag before flipping it closed.

“Hawaii, here we come!” She was excited now.

Me? Not so much.

End Notes:

 

Thoughts, comments, suggestions? Lemme know.

Chapter Eleven by summer
Wednesday came faster than I wanted it too. I was dreading this date. I had managed through Monday and Tuesday hoping he wouldn’t really show up. I figured it would be a little weird and a lot awkward considering our “relationship” so far. I didn’t know anything about him; well except he had a Bernese Mountain Dog named Bernie that now had cancer. I didn’t even know this man’s name. What if we had nothing in common? What if this so-called date was nothing but a disaster? And why was I freaking out so much about it? That was very unlike me. I needed to get a grip.

“Morgan?”

Dianna’s voice cut through my thoughts and I blinked some, focusing on her face, worry etched across it. “Hm?”

“Are you alright? I’ve been standing here for almost a minute calling your name.”

Oops. “Yeah, I’m good.” I smoothed my shirt and sat up a little more in the lounge chair.

“Are you sure?” She crossed the back patio and sank down in the chair next to mine. “You had a really weird expression on your face.”

I chewed my bottom lip, debating on rather or not I wanted to tell her about my supposed date that night. For all I know, he may not even show. “Um…”

Her deep brown eyes bore into me. “What is going on?”

Who was I kidding; I couldn’t hide anything from her.

“I have to tell you something.” I shifted in my chair to face her. “And you have to promise not to …joke about this or pressure me or anything like that.”

She must have sensed the seriousness in my voice because she only gave a nod.

“Okay,” I took a little breath, trying to decide on how to explain this weird predicament I was in. “Do you remember that guy….the one with the dog?”

“Daisy’s dog-friend’s owner?” She gave a nod. “I do. His dog has cancer, right?”

“Right.”

“How is he doing? Have you seen him around?”

“Um…sort of…” I rubbed my shoulder. “That’s kinda what I was gonna talk to you about.”

“Oh,” she lifted her brows. “Do continue.”

My fingers fiddled with the hem of my t-shirt. “I ran into him on Sunday. I was coming out of Kroger and he was standing out there smoking a cigarette.”

“The dog smokes?”

I blinked then realized she was teasing me. “Dianna….you agreed no jokes.”

“You’re right, I’m sorry.” She cleared her throat and crossed her legs, motioning me to continue. “Go on.”

Wetting my lips, I hesitated then spoke again. “We made small talk and he said he had this long list of stuff he had to do for his dog. I wished him the best and then as I was heading towards my car … he asked me to dinner.” My stomach was starting to do flips and I looked to my friend, wondering if I even wanted to see her reaction.

Her eyes were wide with surprise. “He asked you on a date?”

I could only nod my head.

“Wha… what did you say?”

“I…nothing.” I rubbed my forehead. “I was just so shocked; I didn’t know what to say. And then he started going on about what day we could go out and before I even knew what was going on…he’d said he’d be here Wednesday night at seven to pick me up.”

Dianna just stared at me.

I cringed some and gave a heavy sigh. “It was just so weird and I don’t even know him and we still haven’t officially introduced ourselves so I don’t even-“

“Today is Wednesday.” My friend interrupted me.

“What? Yes, I know.”

She checked her watch, turning the face of the band so she could see it better. “And it’s 5:57pm.”

A slight dread was starting to build in my stomach. “Yeah…”

“Which means, you have an hour until he’ll be here and you’re not even dressed.” She motioned towards my shorts and t-shirt. “That is not what you wear on a dinner date unless he’s taking you to Disneyland, and I highly doubt he is.”

I was just a little caught off guard. “Wha…I’ve decided I’m not going.”

“Why not?”

“Because, I don’t know him and it might be really uncomfortable and I’m really not ready to date again.”

“So, what are you going to do when he shows up? Tell him you’ve changed your mind and send him on his way?” She swiveled her legs sideways in the chair to face me.

“Well,” I gave a small shrug. “I was going to pretend I wasn’t home.”

“Morgan!” She sighed and shook her head. “Stop being childish. You’re a grown woman; you can go on one date with this man. His dog has cancer for pete’s sake.”

“You want me to go on a sympathy date?” I was a bit shocked that she wasn’t more concerned about me going out with a complete stranger.

She rose from her chair, motioning me to do the same. “It’s not a sympathy date. It’s a ‘let’s get our mind off of the horrible things we’re dealing with’ date. Which I think, could be very good for you.”

“But I don’t know him.”

She took my hands and tugged me up from the chair. “Well, after your date you should at least know his name. Now c’mon, you go shower and I’ll help you pick out something to wear.” Then she was ushering me inside, ignoring my meek whines of protest along the way.

~*~*~*~*~

At seven on the dot the doorbell rang.

I was in the living room trying to put the last of my personal items into my purse and Dianna had just fed Daisy and given her some fresh water.

My heart leaped into my throat at the sound of the chimes and I was suddenly all nerves. “Oh no…Dianna.”

“He’s here.” She hurried into the room, looking me over. “You look beautiful and he’s gonna be blown away.”

I winced and smoothed a hand over the cotton fabric of the raspberry colored, strapless, maxi style dress I wore. It was flowy and tea length with embroidered flowers in light pink and lilac around the skirt part. The empire waist was covered with a silky pale pink sash with a self tie at the front. Dianna had found it in the back of my closet with the tags still attached, and after fighting with her for five minutes over it, I was now dressed and ready to go. She won obviously.

The doorbell sounded again and I felt my breath catch in my throat. “Oh no, I can’t do this.” I shook my head; the soft curls Dianna had put my hair into brushed my face.

“Yes you can.” She took hold of my upper arms and forced me to look at her. “Just breathe and go answer the door. Don’t make me do it.”

I nodded and held a hand to my stomach, hoping to still the nerves inside. “Right. Okay.”

She nodded and took a step back. “Have fun. I’ll let myself out the back.”

I watched her disappear towards the patio door and took a calming breath. This wouldn’t be so bad; I was trying to keep every negative and freaked out thought at bay.

By the time the chimes sounded a third time I was at the front door. I undid the lock and slowly pulled it open, feeling the butterflies flapping wildly in my tummy.

He stood on the other side of the door looking as handsome as ever in a pair of dark slacks and a forest green polo, with the collar turned down all nice and neat. His hair was neatly styled and shaped into a little fauxhawk and his sunglasses hung from the collar of his shirt, those deep eyes already making my chest twinge.

“Hello.” His voice sent goosebumps down my spine.

I wet my bottom lip, feeling his eyes looking me over appreciatively. “Hi.”

“You look breathtaking.”

I couldn’t help the blush that tinged at my cheeks. “Thank you.”

His grin covered his entire face; it was a beautiful smile and really made his eyes shine. “You’re welcome. And these…” he produced a bouquet of beautiful yellow and white daisies. “…are for you.”

My eyes widened. “Ooh wow…they’re…beautiful!” I gingerly accepted them, holding them close and inhaling their scent. Suddenly the other yellow daisies I had received flashed through my mind and I stopped, tilting my head at him. “Can I ask you a silly question?”

“Of course.”

“Did you by chance…send me flowers the other day?”

His grin was a teasing one. “How did you figure me out?”

My eyes grew even more. “How…wha…” I shook my head. “I would have never guessed it was you until you gave me these.” I motioned to the bouquet in my hands. “And thank you for both.”

“Well, you’re welcome for both.”

I couldn’t help but match his grin. “Okay, let me just put these in water and I’ll be ready to go.”

He gave a nod. “Take your time.”

I invited him inside and he waited in the foyer while I found a vase and filled it with water. Then after arranging the flowers and setting the vase on the counter, I rejoined him.

“Okay, we can go.”

“Great.” He held the door open for me and I stepped outside, waiting until he’d come out behind me and shut it.

After locking it and tucking my key into my purse, he led us down the walk and to his black SUV, opening my door and ensuring I was safely inside before shutting it and moving around to his side.

“So,” he started after we were buckled and he had backed out of the driveway, steering the vehicle and maneuvering it down the street. “How do you like seafood?”

I gave a nod. “I grew up in Connecticut; lobster and crab are my favorites.”

“Connecticut, huh? That’s a long ways from California.”

“Yeah,” I watched out the window at the direction he was taking us. “I needed a change.” It was weird, but I didn’t feel as nervous as I thought I’d be. His presence was actually putting me at ease and that scared me somewhat.

“I get that.” He glanced over to me before taking a right turn. “I moved from Florida years back.”

“Oh yeah?” I chanced a look at him, feeling a warmth entering my chest. And it was then that I noticed the tattoos that lined both his arms, decorating them like a mural decorates a wall. He was a unique individual I could tell; something about him set him apart from everyone else. I wasn’t sure if it was the tattoos, or if it was deeper, but he was different.

“Yeah,” His eyes met mine. “I think it’s a very small percentage of people in and around Los Angeles that are actual natives.”

“I think you’re right.” I thought back on the different friends I had made during my time there and realized most of them had also moved from other cities or states.

“So, how long have you been in LA?”

“About a year and a half. You?”

“About seven years, almost eight.” He sat up some and made a left turn at a green light, checking the intersection for traffic.

I nodded, my eyes observing the intricate designs of his tattoos. “Did all those hurt?”

“What?” He glanced over and followed my gaze to his arms. “The tatts?”

“Yeah.”

He shrugged. “Not really. The ones on the underside of my arms were a bit painful, but nothing too terrible. After awhile it all goes numb anyway.”

I made a little face. “I don’t know if I could ever get one.”

“Why not?”

“Cuz needles freak me out. Just thinking about it makes me squirm.” A shudder ran through me as if to emphasize my point.

“I hate needles too.”

He slowed for a red light and my eyes grew. “Nuh uh.”

“Yes huh.”

“You can’t.” There was no way this man could hate needles. “I mean, look at you.”

He gave a low chuckle. “I do. I just try not to think about them when they’re inking me up.”

“Wow,” I shook my head in disbelief. “You must really love tattoos to overcome your needle fear that often.”

His laugh made my pulse race. “Just another form of self expression. Have you ever considered getting one?”

“Once.”

“Just once?”

“Yeah, just once.” I gave a little nod, returning my gaze to the window and watching the brake lights of the cars ahead of us. Three months after Hugh’s death I had debated on rather or not to tattoo something in his memory on my foot. But my fear of the needle and the pain kept me from actually going through with it.

He sensed the somber tone in my voice and changed the subject. “So, you do real estate?”

My head snapped back in his direction. “How did you get my work number?”

His lips curved into an amused grin. “A magnet on your fridge.”

I had forgotten he had been in my house. “Oh, right.” A beat. “Did you look through my things?” My experience with Dixon was making me wonder.

“Of course not; I don’t invade people’s privacy. I just noticed your business card magnet on your fridge when I got you the Tylenol and took note.”

“Oh.” That was a valid and logical explanation. “That was very sweet of you to check in on me like that.”

He flashed his heart warming grin and I felt my insides melt a little bit. “I just wanted to make sure you were okay. You took a pretty nasty hit.”

I was touched that this stranger had taken such concern with my well being. “Well, I’m good as new.” I brushed the spot on my temple; there was barely even a bump now. It was a little tender if pressed too hard, but the bruise was fading fast and the cut had healed up.

“Good.” He reached over and took my hand, giving it a warm squeeze before releasing it.

“So, what is this place you’re taking me to?” I crossed my legs, smoothing out the dress around them.

“It’s called Finns Creekside; one of the best seafood places around.” We were now merging onto the expressway. “Its over in Calabasas and it has this amazing view of the mountains.”

I lifted a brow. “A seafood place with a mountain view; that’s different.”

“I aim to be different.”

My eyes roamed over him, a small grin tugging at my lips. “Yes, I’m sure you do.”

~*~*~*~*~

The restaurant was splendid with plates of mouthwatering lobster, crab and calamari. It was nestled in a beautiful rustic setting and we had a private table outside on the patio, tucked away from the other customers like we were a special secret. From inside, the sounds of a live piano drifted out, the musician playing various classical and romantic tunes; notes that set the mood and soothed your soul. It was like a scene out of a movie for me as I took in the beautiful mountain view, the sky lit up with brilliant hues of orange, pink and purple as the sun set slowly on the horizon. The atmosphere was so comfortable and relaxing and immediately I was at ease, surrounded by lush foliage and the dim lighting from the lamps tucked in the corners of the patio.

We enjoyed our dinner, making small talk over the heaping plates of Lobster Linguini and Shrimp Scampi. A lot of conversation didn’t seem like a necessity and instead of feeling uncomfortable during the moments of silence, I felt soothed and untroubled. It was rather strange, but a part of me felt like I knew this man better than I truly did. It was as if there was some underlying connection between us and we both sensed it, but neither one needing to speak of it.

He waited until our plates were cleared away and we were sipping our newly refilled drinks before he touched on anything more than casual, getting to know you conversation.

“You look rather relaxed.”

I watched him over the flickering flame of the candle that sat in the middle of the table. “I feel relaxed.”

“It’s the lobster.”

I smiled. “And the company.”

“Ooh, was that a compliment?”

“Maybe.” I couldn’t stop the smile.

He returned it, reaching across the table and brushing his fingers over the palm of my hand. “So, when are you going to bring Daisy over to see Bernie? He misses her.”

I lifted a brow. “Really? She misses him too. It took her three days before she’d eat like she normally does.”

“We should set up a play date for them.”

I sipped my water. “Is Bernie up for that?”

My date tilted his head, mulling that over. “I think he’ll be okay. And I think seeing Daisy will make him feel better.”

“Then who are we to keep them apart?”

“My sentiments exactly.”

I giggled low. “Okay, how about Saturday? They can meet up on the beach and just relax in the sun.”

“Why wait that long? What are you doing tomorrow?”

“Tomorrow I have to work. “

“Friday?”

“Showing some houses.”

“Tonight?”

I tilted my head. “Well, in case you hadn’t noticed, there is no sun for them to relax in.”

“Damn, you’re right.” He sat back defeated in his chair. “Then how ‘bout just us?”

I chuckled low. “There isn’t any sun for us to relax in either.”

“You’re a funny one.” He watched me with amusement in his eyes.

I giggled low and shrugged, sipping my water again.

“I was meaning you and I should take a walk on the beach, tonight.”

I glanced around. “How far are we from the beach?”

“It’s just about five miles that way.” He motioned in a direction.

I glanced that way then looked back to him, debating it over in my head. Finally I gave a little nod. “Alright, sounds nice.”

“Great.” He flashed his grin then motioned for the server to bring the check. “Let’s get outta here.”
Chapter Twelve by summer
Author's Notes:
Sorry it took so long, but I think it's a good one. :)

 

The sand was still warm on my toes as we strolled along the beach. I carried my heeled sandals in one hand and held the skirt of my dress up with the other. Beside me, my date also meandered along barefoot. The sun had set completely while we had been eating and now the sky was left with that dim haze as the night set in. The lights from farther up towards the parking lot kept the area from being completely dark, but gray shadows were cast here and there. The moon was hidden behind some clouds and in the distance thunder rumbled.

“I think it’s going to rain.”

I glanced over towards the handsome man at my side. “You think so?”

“That was thunder.”

I kicked lightly at the water that was rushing over my toes. “Maybe it’ll pass by.”

“Maybe.” He reached and took my shoes from my hand, placing them with his and out of the way of the waves, then he laced our fingers together.

I glanced around the area, trying to ignore how my heartbeat had increased the minute he’d taken my hand. “There isn’t any driftwood around here is there?”

His laugh was calming. “I don’t think so. And I think we’ll make it back to the car before it gets too bad.”

“Good.” I gave a firm nod and glanced down to my skirt, lifting it a bit more as the water rushed around my ankles. “The water’s warm.”

“Yeah it is.” He glanced out to the dark ocean. “We should take a swim.”

The pulse in my neck was now throbbing. “I don’t have my suit.”

“Do you need one?” His eyes twinkled and I wasn’t sure if his tone was joking or if he was serious.

“Um…yes.”

He chuckled low and let the subject drop. “So, tell me more about yourself.”

I sent him a sideways glance, feeling a protective barrier starting to go up. There was only so much I was willing to share. “I have told you about myself.”

“Not much. Just what you’ve been willing to share over dinner.”

A shrug. “Well, what else is there to know?”

He stopped and the gentle pull on his hand stopped me as well. “There’s a lot to know. C’mere.” He led me further up from the water and sank down onto the dry sand, tugging me down next to him.

I dropped down beside him, smoothing my dress out.

Once we were settled, he leaned back on his elbows and stretched his legs out, watching me in the dim lighting from up the way. “How old are you?”

I curled my legs to the side, leaning into the sand on one hand. “You’re not supposed to ask a girl her age.”

“Humor me.”

“Twenty-six. You?”

“Thirty-one.” A pause. “Are you dating anyone?”

Again my pulse was beginning to race. “No. You?”

He shook his head. “Nope.”

I fiddled with the silver locket around my neck. “Why did you ask me to dinner?”

“I believe it was my turn to ask a question.” He gave me a small smirk.

“I didn’t realize we were taking turns.”

He chuckled low and sat up, brushing his hands together to remove any traces of sand. “Well, we are.”

“Well then, by all means.” I motioned towards him, giving the go ahead.

“Thank you.” He drew his legs up and rested his arms on his knees. “Why did you agree to go to dinner with me?”

“I don’t believe you gave me much choice.”

His warm laugh made another twinge appear in my chest. “I really didn’t. But aren’t you glad you came?”

I took a moment to ponder that question, glancing around at the still beach and thinking back over to the relaxing dinner and comfortable conversation. This was one of the few times I had felt so at peace with myself. “Yeah,” I spoke faintly, nodding my head and brushing at the skirt of my dress. “I think I am glad. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” He spoke softly in return then reached and brushed some hair from my cheek, his fingers lingering for just a moment.

Around us the air grew a bit warmer.

“So um…” I cleared my throat and tried to shake off the strange feeling that was trying to settle in my stomach. “I believe it’s my turn to ask you something.”

“I think you’re right.”

I studied him, pressing my lips together and trying to think up what I wanted to know. Then it hit me. “What is your name?”

He blinked then laughed lowly. “Alex.”

“Alex.” I echoed him, liking the way it rolled off my tongue. “I’m Morgan.”

“It’s very nice to meet you, Morgan.”

“Yeah,” I gave a nod, “likewise.”

“I think that after the play date on Saturday, you and I should do something again.”

It was weird, but I wasn’t against the idea. “Like what?”

He tilted his head and seemed to be thinking it over. “How adventurous are you?”

I lifted my brows. “Not very.”

“Really? You moved out here from the East Coast on your own. I’d say that’s pretty adventurous.”

“Maybe so, but not enough to go like…hang gliding or bungee jumping or something.”

He laughed. “That’s just crazy.”

I chuckled and gave a little nod. “Yeah, it really is.”

He nodded then reached and smoothed his fingers softly over my arm. “How ‘bout I just surprise you.”

I eyed him with a teasing expression. “I’m not jumping out of any airplanes either.”

“Deal.” He chuckled then traced his fingers down to my hand, taking it in his and smoothing his thumb across my palm.

I watched that simple action, feeling the electricity in the air and hearing more thunder in the distance.

He pulled my hand closer, tracing his fingertips over the soft skin of my palm and my breath caught in my throat.

“You have amazing skin.” The pad of his thumb was gently rubbing the inside of my wrist and tiny goosebumps were spreading up my arm.

“Th…thank you…” It was but a mere whisper.

He lifted my hand to his mouth, brushing his lips over my fingers and our eyes met, the electricity in the air now spreading through my chest.

“You have beautiful eyes, too; so clear and strikingly blue.”

A blush slowly crept up over my cheeks at his scrutiny and I barely managed out another thank you.

“But they seem so sad.” His lips were now gently cruising over my knuckles. “You have the weight of the world on your shoulders.”

I suddenly wanted to pull away and run, but I only accomplished in pulling my hand from his.

“You…don’t know anything about me.” It came out a lot more shaken then I wanted it to.

“I could if you’d let me.” He kept his distance, but his gaze never wavered.

I was struggling inside, the barrier around my heart trying to close around me a little more. “I don’t even know you.”

“I know.” He reached and scooped some sand into his hand, letting it fall between his fingers back to the earth. “But I know you feel the connection.”

“No.” I shook my head, tears threatening my vision. I had only felt the connection with one man, one, and he had been ripped away. I would never feel any sort of connection with another man ever again.

“Yes.” He brushed his hand on his pants then reached for mine, catching it before I could move it away. “Something is going on here, Morgan.”

“No…nothing is going on.” Inside I was trembling and it made my voice catch.

“You can’t hide from the truth.”

“I’m not hiding from anything!” I looked his way and our eyes met and for a moment I couldn’t breathe.

He watched me, his voice staying low and calm despite my outburst. “Life is full of ups and downs.” He was rubbing my hand in a soothing manner. “But every time you get knocked down, you have to get back up.”

“No…” It was a pleading tone. I wanted him to stop, to leave me alone. Hot tears stung my eyes and I tried to desperately blink them away. “You…know nothing about my life, nothing.”

“Maybe not, but I know about my own. I know what it’s like to fall down every single time you get back up. I know what it’s like to struggle to just get through the day. And believe me; I know about losing everything and wondering what is the point of even living.”

His words hit home and the tears finally slipped down my cheeks. “Wh…what did you do? How did you handle it?”

He kissed my palm then reached and smoothed his thumbs beneath my eyes, wiping the dampness away. “It’s all a part of learning to live. It hurts a lot along the way, and there are times you don’t think you’ll make it, but you take it one day at a time.”

I just shook my head, tearing my gaze from his and looking to my lap. “We’re practically strangers.”

“Hey,” he reached and tilted my chin up, forcing ours eyes to meet. “You were there when I needed someone. Let me do the same for you.”

“Why do you even care?”

“Because something in here,” he tapped his chest, “is telling me to.”

I had nothing to respond with so I broke our gaze and looked out over the rushing waves.

“Hey, c’mere.” He gently tugged me closer, smoothing his hand over my back in nothing but a comforting manner. “I think sometimes people are brought into our lives for specific reasons.”

I sighed and glanced back to him. “You… think you were brought into my life for a certain reason?”

“Maybe,” he gave a little shrug. “Or you were brought into mine for a reason.” His hand continued to sooth my back. “But there is something between us, Morgan. I know we both feel it.”

“It doesn’t matter if something is there.” I watched the water again. “Nothing is going to come of it.”

He was quiet for a moment, his fingers trailing up and brushing along the back of my neck. “I don’t think that’s something either one of us has a say in.”

A frown creased my forehead. “Of course we have a say in it, it’s our lives.”

“Not when fate plays a hand.”

“Fate?” I gave a scoffing laugh. “Do not talk to me about fate.”

He gave a little sigh and his fingers brushed the back of my neck again. “Fate’s dealt you a pretty bad hand, huh?”

I just stared at the rolling waves, the thunder sounding again in the distance. “You don’t even know.”

He responded with a chaste kiss to my bare shoulder. “Tell me who Morgan Weston is.”

The words spilled out on their own, as if I had no say in the matter. “Lost, alone…afraid, heartbroken, sad…angry.”

“Does anything make her smile?”

“Lilacs.”

“That’s it?”

I had to think, it’d been so long since I’ve had any genuine, happy moments. “Rainbows. She loves rainbows.”

“Lilacs and rainbows. That’s all?”

“Feeling young again.”

“What else.”

I thought back on the many memories of Hugh and things we did that brought laughter into my life. “Dancing barefoot in the grass, letting it tickle your toes.”

Beside me, Alex gave a warm smile of his own. “Come with me.” He rose to his feet and brushed his pants off before holding his hand to me.

I blinked and pulled from my reverie, glancing to him. “Where are we going?”

“You’ll see.” He helped me up then headed down the beach to collect our shoes.

I followed slowly behind, wondering what he had up his sleeve this time.

After making our way back to his vehicle, we brushed the sand from our feet and slipped our shoes back on, then we were on the road again. He wouldn’t tell me where he was going and so I watched out the window with curiosity until he had pulled into a deserted parking lot.

“What is this place?” I glanced around at the open area, noting a few picnic tables off in the distance.

“C’mon.” He ignored me and unbuckled, climbing out and coming around to my side. He helped me out and took my hand then together we headed towards the picnic tables.

A few tall lamp posts dotted the area giving off enough light to not feel like you were in the middle of a horror movie and, as we drew closer, I saw a couple tall slides and a swing set, a jungle gym with a wooden bridge and some monkey bars.

“You brought me to a playground?”

He gave me a cute grin. “Nothing beats being a kid again.”

I could only giggle. “Wow, I haven’t been to a playground since I was in middle school.”

“Ooh, she smiles.”

I blushed and gave another giggle. “So, that’s what you’re doing, huh?”

“Yes.” He led me towards the see-saws. “I think you’re much more beautiful when you smile. And it uses less muscles then a frown.”

I couldn’t stop grinning. It was silly, but it really touched me. He didn’t know me, didn’t know a thing about what I was dealing with and yet he was going out of his way to put some happiness back into my life.

I thought back to our beach conversation as he directed me to one end of the see-saw. He had pushed all my buttons, taken me past my comfort zone and practically stripped me bare and yet, here I was laughing as he climbed on the see-saw and pushed me into the air. I couldn’t explain it; there was something about this man that I couldn’t put my finger on. He was different and as much as I tried to ignore it, as much as I wanted to push it away and pretend it didn’t exist, I did feel the connection. Deep down it was there, hiding, waiting for the right moment. I could brush it aside, push it away, reject it, scorn it, shut my eyes and try to be oblivious, but it was there. And as much as I didn’t want it to be, I was fairly certain he felt just the opposite.


~*~*~*~*~

Two hours later we stood on my front porch, the glow from the porch light leaving a cozy feeling. I fiddled with the keys in my hand and he watched me, both his hands shoved into his pockets.

The playground had been an experience I would never forget. After the see-saw we’d gone down the slide then taken turns pushing each other on the swings. It was childish, but rewarding, and for those two hours I had forgotten about the heartache and pain I was going through. Time had stood still for me and it wasn’t until we were on our way back to my place that I felt the weight of the world settling in around me again. I hadn’t wanted it to end; I wanted to savor that happiness that had overcome me so I could remember it always. I forgot what it had felt like to be lighthearted and laugh. And I knew that I wanted it back. This man had given it to me and I wanted to keep it.

I think he could read it in my eyes because he brought a hand up and touched my cheek. “You’re welcome.”

I wet my bottom lip, having so many things I wanted to say, but nothing at the same time.

“Hey, it’s okay.” He brushed a stray tear from my cheek.

I just shook my head, more tears filling my eyes. I couldn’t explain why I was suddenly crying, but this pressure was in my chest and the tears just flowed.

“Hey, shh… it’s okay.” He pulled me into his embrace, wrapping his arms around me and holding me close.

The hot tears streamed from my eyes and I pressed my face into the cool fabric of his shirt, a muffled sob sounding as he held me tight to his chest.

I lost track of how long we remained that way. It was well after my last tears flowed and my shoulders stopped trembling.

Finally, he pulled his head back and peeked to me. “You okay?” He spoke low and his voice was filled with concern.

I gave a small hiccup and took a little breath, not wanting to feel the warmth of his embrace leave. “I…um…yeah.”

He gave a little nod and smoothed his hand over the back of my head then down over my back. “You sure?”

I suddenly felt embarrassed. “Yeah, I… I’m good.” I pulled from him and wiped at my cheeks. “I’m sorry, I don’t know what happened.”

He caught one of my hands and pulled it to his chest. “You don’t have anything to be sorry about.”

I couldn’t meet his gaze, I felt too foolish for falling to pieces in front of him. “Thank you for tonight. I had a good time.”

“I did too.”

I nodded and watched our hands.

“And we’re still on for Saturday.” He ducked his head and peeked to my face.

“Oh, yeah…” I had forgotten about Saturday. “We…can meet on the beach.”

“How’s ten?”

“In the morning?”

“Well, as I recall you telling me… there isn’t any sun in the night.”

I chuckled despite everything. “Ten is fine.”

“Alright.” He kissed my fingers, his lips lingering for a moment. “If you’re late, I’ll come find you.”

I laughed low again. “I know you will. I won’t be late.”

He gave that heart warming grin I’d come to find myself liking. “Good. Then you get some rest and I’ll see you on Saturday.” And with that he leaned in and brushed his lips over my cheek, my skin warming at the simple touch.

I echoed his goodnight then turned and unlocked my front door. He waited until I stepped inside before wishing me a good night once more. I smiled and returned the well wish then finally shut the door, leaving the porch light on so he could find his way back to his vehicle.

I slid my shoes off and dropped my purse on the end table before giving a sigh and leaning back against the door. Words were useless when it came to trying to describe my night. It was going to take me a day or two to think it over and figure out how I felt. He had definitely stirred something inside me, but I wasn’t sure what; or if it was a good or bad thing. Sometimes life changes came in big explosions and other times they came in soft whispers. I didn’t know rather this man was an explosion or a whisper and so I welcomed it with hesitance and caution. He called it learning to live again. I called it being scared to death.

 

 

Chapter Thirteen by summer
Author's Notes:
Thanks so much for all the reviews, guys! I'm so glad you like this story! :)

 

I was up and gone to work before Dianna had a chance to come over and find out about my date. I knew she’d probably try to interrupt my breakfast, so I made sure to skip it and grab some coffee on the way into the office. I didn’t escape her phone call though. The sneak got crafty and instead of calling my cell so I could screen her, she rang up my office phone.

“Houghton Real Estate, Morgan Weston speaking, how may I help you?”

“Are you avoiding me?”

I blinked and gave in inward groan. I should have known she’d call the office. “Good morning to you too, Dianna.”

“I went to your house to have breakfast with you and you were gone already. Since when do you leave for work before 7:30?”

I rubbed my forehead. “I have a lot of things to do today. I’m supposed to be hearing from a bank on a possible sale and wanted to make sure I was here before eight.”

“Uh huh.” She didn’t believe a word.

“I’m being for real.”

“I think you’re trying to avoid a conversation on what happened last night.”

A sigh. “I’m not trying to do that.” I was trying to do that, but I wasn’t about to admit it.

“Good, so then tell me what happened.”

I glanced around the office; it was early so not very many had made it in yet. And I wasn’t really on the clock so to say until about nine. “Can’t this wait? I’m at work.”

“It’s not even 8:30; you’re probably the only person there right now.”

“Try the second.”

She chuckled. “So, how did it go?”

I relented. There was no avoiding Dianna, she would go and go until she got what she wanted. “It was nice. He took me to this really good sea food place and I filled up on the lobster.”

“Ooh, lobster. Nice.”

“Yeah, we had a good time. Pleasant conversation and good atmosphere.”

“Are you gonna see him again?”

I fiddled with a pen on my desk. “Maybe.”

“Ooh, Morgan!” She gave a cute laugh. “That’s great!”

I felt a blush creep up on my cheeks. “Shh, Dianna. I said maybe.”

“Which means yes. If you weren’t planning on seeing him again you’d have told me no. I know you.”

“Okay, so we’re gonna do something on Saturday.”

“Wow, another date already set up.”

Suddenly I felt guilty. “That’s not good? I should wait, huh? I’m not really ready to date and … now I have two in one week.”

“Morgan, stop.” She gave a sigh through the phone. “Honey, you have no expectations or rules to live by. If you want to see him again then go for it.”

“What about Hugh?”

She was silent for a moment. “Would he want you to be alone and unhappy?”

I peeked to the phone. “No.”

“Would he want you to find that happiness again?”

She was right. “Yes.”

“Then honey, why aren’t you doing that?”

“Cuz it hurts.” I made sure to keep my voice low to not be overheard. “And it’s hard. I just keep thinking about Hugh and how much I love him. Of our life together.”

“I know it’s hard, but honey…that part of your life is over. It was beautiful and wonderful and will always be cherished, but it’s time to let someone in again. Don’t you want to feel that happiness and joy that you experienced with Hugh once more?”

I closed my eyes, feeling a weight in my chest. “Of course I do. I just want it to be Hugh that makes me feel that way.”

“Hugh is gone. He is never gonna make you feel that way again, Morgan. It’s sad, and I know it hurts, but it’s true. You can’t go through life looking in the rearview mirror.”

Tears brimmed my eyes. “Stop.”

“You have to face reality. And you can’t compare every guy to Hugh.”

“Just stop!” I spoke a little louder, wiping at my cheeks with my free hand.

“I’ll stop when you finally face the truth.” She sounded firm.

“I know he’s gone! I know he’s never coming back! I’m not stupid.” I could feel myself trembling.

“Then you need to realize that it’s okay for you to date again. It’s okay for you to be happy.”

I didn’t know why she was being so harsh, but I wanted her to just shut up about it. “I… I can’t talk about this right now. I …I gotta go.” Then I hung up before she could respond.

I was infuriated that Dianna would call my place of employment and go off on me like that; that she would speak to me about Hugh in that manner. She knew how fragile and vulnerable I was. She knew how hard it was for me to pick up the pieces and continue on. She knew I was still mending and trying to be myself again. I was angry suddenly.

“Morgan?”

I jumped and looked over as Anna set her messenger bag on her desk. She was watching me with a rather perplexed and concerned expression.

“Are you okay?”

“No,” I shook my head and rose from the chair. “Can… can you take my calls today? I’m waiting to hear from the bank and …” I tried to recall all the things on my to-do list. “…The Martins should be calling about the house they saw on Monday.”

“Sure, no problem.” She moved towards me. “Do you need anything? What’s going on?”

I shook my head and pulled a couple folders from my own bag. “Here, theses have all the information you’ll need. And take any messages for me.”

She accepted the manila folders. “Sure, I got it covered. You’ll call me later?”

I knew she was worried. “Yeah, thanks.” I gave her arm a squeeze then grabbed my bag, heading through the desk and towards the front doors. I wasn’t sure where I was going, but I needed some time to myself. I had a lot of thinking to do.

~*~*~*~*~

I ended up at a rather empty park about a mile from my home. It was an open field with a hiking trail and bike path. There was a set of swings and one slide, but that’s it. The only people that really inhabited the place were joggers, bicyclists, rollerbladers and mothers pushing strollers out for a brisk walk.

I found myself sitting on one of the park benches facing the pond. I watched as a few ducks bobbed their heads under the water searching for food. Life must be easy for a duck; just swim, waddle, quack and eat. I sighed and brushed a lock of hair from my face. Was I jealous of a duck? That was an absurd thought.

I must have been so into watching the duck that I didn’t notice when someone sank down on the bench next to me until they spoke.

“How come a pretty, young thing like you looks so sad?”

I jerked and glanced over to see an elderly woman with glasses and strikingly beautiful white hair next to me. She wore a cream sweater and some dark slacks and a small plastic bag of some kind of duck feed was in her lap. “Um…excuse me?”

“I asked what you were so sad for.” Her round hazel eyes watched me with the same concern my grandmother would have.

I wet my bottom lip, not quite sure how to respond. “Um…it’s kind of personal.”

“Oh,” she gave a little nod and tossed some of the feed out into the water, watching as suddenly a flock of ducks swarmed, fighting to get their share, “Means it’s about a man.”

I blinked. “Not…not necessarily.”

“Oh yes, child. You have that look in your eyes.”

“What look?”

She glanced to me as she tossed more feed to the ducks. “The one that says a man hurt you. Hurt you so bad you don’t know if you can ever love again.”

I hesitated, watching this woman with a perplexed expression. “It…it wasn’t his fault.”

“No,” she shook her head some, studying my expression. “It wasn’t the man himself that hurt you, it was what happened.”

I was suddenly uncomfortable. This woman seemed to read me like an open book and I didn’t like that one bit. “I um…I’m gonna get going…”

“Let me tell you a story first.” She spoke as I began to rise from the bench. Her eyes never left the fluttering ducks as they dove for the food she tossed their way.

For some unknown reason, I wordlessly sank back down in my spot.

For a moment neither of us spoke, just the sounds of the ducks squabbling over the feed. Finally, when I was about to once more try to leave, she began to talk.

“I was 19 when I met Henry. He was 21 and worked at his father’s bank. He was supposed to take it over when his father retired, but Henry didn’t really want to do that.” She paused and tossed more of the grains into the water.

I took the bait. “What did he want to do?”

“Open his own store. Henry loved to build and he was very good at it. He could make anything from a table, to a bed, dresser…you name it he could create it. It was his passion, but his father didn’t see where that would get him in his life. A banker fared much better, especially one that owned a handful of successful banks. So Henry went to school to become what his father wanted him to be. That’s where we met. University. I was going to be a teacher.”

I watched her curiously, wondering where she was taking this tale and how it was going to pertain to me.

“We dated for two months before he proposed. We were married before the year was over. It was after our honeymoon that he finally faced his father and told him he was opening his own store. He was going to build and sell furniture.” She finally tore her eyes from the ducks and watched me. “He told me I gave him the courage and strength to do that. He said that as long as I was by his side he could do anything. Which is why when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor and we went to war, he enlisted. He believed in fighting and defending a country that gave each man such freedom to follow their dreams.” Her eyes misted over and she stared out over the water again.

“What happened?” I gently urged her after a moment.

“His plane was shot down over the Pacific.”

My heart hurt for her. “I’m so sorry.” Gently, I reached and touched her arm.

She brought her other hand over and gave mine a squeeze, it was tender and warm. “I didn’t think I could go on. My life fell apart when my Henry died and I just wanted it to be over for me as well.” Her voice softened and was overcome with that faraway tone, like she was being taken back to that time. “I didn’t know how to live without him. There was just this hole where he had been.”

“I… I understand.”

Her eyes flickered to me and she gave my hand another squeeze. “I imagine you do.”

“How did you…move past that?”

“I didn’t think I ever would. For two years I holed myself away, only leaving to go teach at the local school. I thought my life was over and I wasn’t even 25 yet. But then….” A distant look appeared in her eyes. “…I was walking home from the school one day and it suddenly started to rain. Out of the blue, this gentleman appears at my side with this umbrella. He shields me from the rain and insists on seeing me home. I didn’t want to become soaked and catch pneumonia, so I accepted.

Everyday, for the next month, he’d meet me on that corner and escort me home. It took him nearly another month before I finally agreed to go on a date.” Her round eyes focused on me again. “It took him another year and a half before I finally agreed to marry him.”

“Y…you…married him?”

“Yes, his name was Matthew and he was a banker.” She laughed low at the irony of that situation. “He was the love of my life, dear. I thought I knew true love, but it was nothing to what Matthew taught me.”

“How’s that? How…come Henry wasn’t your true love?”

“Because Matthew taught me how to overcome the grief and loss I had experienced. He showed me I was still living and I had so much more to live for. He brought me back from the edge and filled my soul.”

I was moved by her words and wiped at the corners of my eyes where tears were collecting. “What…what about Henry?”

“I loved Henry, my dear; don’t get me wrong. It was true and passionate and perfect, but life had plans for Henry. I didn’t understand it and it wasn’t until I was with Matthew and staring into the beautiful faces of our children that I realized, Henry taught me how to love, prepared me for that great love. He still has a place in here,” she touched the place above her heart as she spoke. “But it was Matthew that completed me.”

“Then…how…how come you went through that with him? Why not just…meet Matthew from the start?”

“Because life has little lessons for everyone. I would never have met Matthew if I hadn’t gone through what I had with Henry. Life is a journey and every incident in your life takes you one step closer to the next.” She watched me. “I could have stayed miserable and angry at the world, but look at what I would have missed out on.”

I wet my bottom lip; my eyes trained on her, just letting her words slowly sink in. She had a point. I could stay hurt and upset with losing Hugh. I could pine away for him until I was 70, but it wouldn’t do any good. He wasn’t coming back. And if I continued to hide from the world, I would miss out on my life.

“Sometimes you get a second chance, because time wasn’t ready for the first one.” She touched my shoulder. “Just something for you to think about, my dear.”

I gave a little nod and looked to my hands. I didn’t want to be alone and miserable when I was older and I didn’t want to miss out on living.

~*~*~*~*~

My emotional day left me exhausted and I climbed into bed rather early, curling up under the blankets and turning the television on to some evening comedy. I had done a lot of thinking after my chat with the woman at the park, and now my head hurt and I wanted nothing more than to sleep everything away. I had visited my doctor a couple days back and he’d written me a prescription for the Ambien CR I’d first tried courtesy of Dianna. The white pill lay on my nightstand and I eyed it like a piece of candy. I would take one and have a restful night with no dreams or nightmares. I just needed a night of uninterrupted rest so tomorrow I could face the day and try to focus on becoming whole again.

My phone rang before I could reach for the glass of water next to the sleeping aid. “Crap.” I gave a frown and selected the black receiver from its base, seeing Dianna’s name flash on the ID screen. Did I really want to talk to her? Something inside told me to, so I answered.

“Hello?”

“Hey, are you busy?”

I glanced towards the television and grabbed up the remote, muting it before speaking again. “No, just getting ready to turn in.”

“This early?”

“Yeah, I’ve had a long, trying day.”

“I’m sorry.”

I gave a little shrug. “Not your fault.”

“No,” she gave a little sigh. “I’m sorry for this morning. I shouldn’t have said those things to you.”

I glanced to the phone. “You were just trying to help me.”

“I know, but they were harsh and I could have gone about it a different way.”

“Yeah….” I fiddled with the remote. “But it’s over and done with.”

“Are you mad?”

“I was. But I’m not anymore.”

She sighed. “How about on Sunday we go shopping or something. Maybe do lunch first.”

I gave a small grin. “I think that sounds nice.”

“And I promise I won’t ask about your Saturday date or …anything dealing with Hugh.”

I chuckled low. “Well, you might could, maybe, ask me a few questions about my date.”

“Yeah?” I could hear the grin in her voice. “Do you like him?”

“I…think so. I’m not sure yet. He’s so….different.”

“Different? How so?”

“I really don’t know.”

“Well, maybe that’s a good thing.”

I chuckled again. “We’ll see.”

She gave her own laugh. “For what it’s worth, I’m proud of you. I know…how hard this is and that you’re scared, and I’m proud that you’re taking some more baby steps.”

Her words touched me. “Thank you. I did a lot of thinking today …and yes, I’m scared to death and all I really want to do is pull my head into my shell and hide, but…I really don’t want to miss out on my life.”

“I don’t want you to either.”

“So, I’m gonna just…try. Who knows how it’s going to go or if I’ll even be successful, but what do I have left to lose? I’m…alone, Dianna, and I don’t want to be alone anymore.”

“Oh, Morgan.” She sounded so heartbroken for me. “You are the bravest person I know.”

“Thank you.” But I didn’t feel brave. I was more scared than ever. Scared that I would fail terribly, scared that I wouldn’t be able to move past Hugh and scared that I even wanted to. That thought made me sick to my stomach and I almost changed my mind.

“Dianna?”

“Hm?”

“I don’t want to forget about him.”

“Honey, you aren’t going to. He has a very special place inside of you and he always will.”

I could feel the nerves in my tummy. “I’m scared.”

“I know you are. And you don’t have to rush into anything, or do anything you’re not ready for.”

“I know.” The words felt caught in my throat. “But I … I don’t want to be 80 with no…husband or family…all alone.”

“You aren’t going to be and 80 is a long ways from 26. Just take the time you need to grieve and get yourself to the point where you’re ready to find love again.”

“Right.” I gave a little nod, thinking back to the woman from the park. She had done it, I could do it. Maybe. Probably. I hoped so. I wanted to. I didn’t want to. I wanted Hugh. I wanted to take my Ambien and make my thoughts stop for just a little while.

“And you know I’m here for whatever you need.”

I nodded again, rubbing my head. “I appreciate that.”

“It’s going to get easier, Morgan.”

Tears were pricking my eyes. “I hope so.”

“It will.”

“What if it doesn’t?”

“Hey, you’ve already made some improvement. You just have to give it some time.”

I gave a heavy sigh. “I suppose.”

“And when you’re 80 and I’m…older than that… we’ll get together and poke fun at our husbands as they race each other with their walkers.”

I chuckled at that thought. “While you and I race each other in our Hoverounds.”

She laughed. “Now you’re thinking. We’ll be riding in style.”

I giggled low and shook my head. Dianna was a trip, and sometimes her mouth was too big for her face, but I wouldn’t trade her in for anyone else. When I needed someone she was there, and I had a very strong feeling I was going to need someone a lot as I tried to overcome my grief and move on with my life. I think she was going to have her hands full. Hope she was ready for it.

Chapter Fourteen by summer
Author's Notes:
Thanks so much for all the feedback, it really motivates me!

 

Friday, after I got out of work, I received a phone call from Andrew. He had just arrived back in town and was wondering what I was doing that weekend. I told him I had weekend plans but we might could; possibly get together for lunch later in the week, as just friends of course. He agreed and we arranged to meet at this little café not far from the airport Tuesday noontime. I didn’t mention my date(s), not that it was any of his business, and I hoped he didn’t get too personal with what I had been doing lately. We didn’t chat for long, just enough time to exchange pleasantries and set up a time and meeting place.

I got home after six and slipped out of my red heels. My feet were slightly swollen and my toes ached. Peter Berkins had traipsed me all over town looking for just the right beach house. He was not an easy person to please, and after our fifth location, I wanted to shove my paperwork down his throat and leave him. But I didn’t and he finally seemed satisfied with the last place on the list. Of course, he wanted time to think it over, but he promised to let me know sometime the following week. The sooner he had his house and was off my hands, the better.

Rubbing the back of my neck, I sighed and padded into the living area, Daisy right behind me. She had greeted me at the door and wouldn’t let me past the foyer until I had loved on her sufficiently enough. And she would probably be underfoot the rest of the night. It was fine with me; I was hoping take a nice, long bubble bath then curl up on the sofa with a good book. The sun glinted through the patio doors as it began its descent over the horizon and on a whim; I moved to the French doors and threw them open, allowing the warmth to fill the room. I watched as my precious Labrador sniffed around the entrance then settled herself half inside and half stretched out over the stone of the patio.

“You’re a trip.” I told her as the sound of the telephone filled the room.

Glancing over to where the white cordless was nestled in its cradle, I sank down onto the sofa and plucked it up. My parents name flashed in the ID and I gave an inward groan.

“Hello?”

“Hey, honey, how are you?” My mother’s soothing voice flowed over the line and directly into my ear.

I gave a little nod. “I’m doing alright. Had a long day at work.”

“Ooh, did you sell any homes?”

“Well, there’s one that a couple recently made a bid on, but I just spent today showing some wanna be Hugh Heffner about a hundred different beach houses.”

“Goodness, that is a long day.”

“Yeah, it is. And now I want to take a nice, hot bubble bath.”

“Well, I think you most certainly deserve it.”

I smiled. “I do too.” A pause. “So, what’s up? Is everything okay?”

“Oh yes, everything is just fine. I was only calling to tell you the news…”

She trailed off and I lifted a brow. “What news?”

“Your brother and Candace are going to be moving to Arizona.”

Both my brows arched now. “Seriously? What for? I thought he loved New York City and wouldn’t give it up for anything.”

“We thought so as well, but Candace was given a very lucrative promotion that would require her to work out of their Phoenix office. So,” she chuckled, “they’re moving.”

My brother and his wife, Grayson and Candace Huntley, were power house executives. He was vice president of the accounting firm he worked at in the Big Apple and Candace had just made partner at her law firm. They were both so career driven it left them with no time for children and so I had no nieces or nephews. I hadn’t seen my brother since my move, and even living in Connecticut rarely saw him then. Grayson was six years older than me, and we didn’t have a close relationship. When I was old enough to want to spend time with him, he was out the door with his friends or school. He traveled overseas to London for college and returned home with Candace. They were wed four months after graduation and immediately submersed themselves in their work. But it made them happy.

“What about his job?”

“He says he’s going to commute. Get a place in the city and travel to Arizona on weekends.”

I made a face, thinking that was probably one of the worst decisions for a relationship. “And Candace is okay with only seeing her husband on weekends.”

My mother gave a soft laugh. “Well, you know Candace…she’ll probably be too busy during the week to even think about Grayson.”

I sighed and gave a nod. “Whatever floats their boat, I suppose.”

“It may not be the best choice, but they’re both willing to see it through, so that’s important.”

“Yeah, I know…” I rubbed my forehead. “Well, next time you speak to him, tell him I said ‘congratulations’.”

“I most certainly will.”

“When are they making the move?”

“Not for a few more weeks. They still have to find a place to live and get everything situated.”

“Oh,” I leaned back in the sofa, watching Daisy sunning herself.

My mother paused and I knew what was coming.

“So, everything is going good for you?”

“Yeah, it’s going well.” My toes dug into the plush carpeting.

“Your father and I miss you, Morgan. Maybe you could come visit sometime.”

At least she wasn’t asking to come out and see me. “Um… maybe sometime, yeah.”

Miriam sighed. “Why are you trying to isolate yourself?”

I hesitated, wetting my bottom lip. “I’m not isolating myself, Mom.”

“You are. You won’t let us come see you, and you won’t come see us. Are you cutting us out of your life?”

Her words made my chest twinge. “No, Mom… no.” I shook my head. “I wouldn’t ever do that.”

“Then… then why won’t you see us?” I could hear the tremor in her tone and knew tears weren’t far behind.

“Mom…” I sighed and rubbed my cheek, feeling my heart breaking at what she was saying. “I…don’t know. I guess I…just…don’t want to be reminded of Hugh.”

“Oh honey, you know we would never do that.”

I could feel my own tears pooling in the corners of my eyes. “I…know, but it still scares me. I’m trying so hard, Mom…”

She was quiet for a moment. “Morgan, baby, you can’t do it on your own.”

“I’m not. I have Deanna…and a few others.”

“Let your father and I visit.”

My eyes looked outside, the sky illuminated with the pinks and oranges from the sunset. It was brilliant and beautiful and I felt a tiny glimmer of hope inside. “Maybe.”

“That’s better than a no, we’ll take a maybe.” She sounded more cheery.

I had to smile at her optimistic attitude. “I love you, mom.”

“I love you too, baby.”

~*~*~*~*~

Saturday was a beautiful day; the birds were chirping, the sun was shining and there wasn’t a single cloud in the sky. It was warm so I dressed in a pair of denim shorts and a pale pink polo. Daisy was eager and got so excited when she saw the leash I produced. She tried knocking me over in all that excitement in fact. I laughed and shooed her back down to all fours before hooking the leash to her collar, then together we headed from the house and across the backyard to the beach.

Alex was waiting at the bottom of the steps, Bernie at his side. Daisy tore the leash right out of my hand the minute she laid eyes on the other dog. I could only laugh though and watch as she raced down the stairs and greeted the Bernese with affection. Bernie returned the greetings, his tail thwapping as he sniffed and pawed at the chocolate Lab.

“Aren’t they an excited pair?” My male companion spoke as I reached the sand and grabbed up her leash before my dog could dart away.

“Yeah, it’s heartwarming.” I couldn’t stop the grin that covered my face as I observed the two of them fawning over each other.

“How are you?”

I turned and met his gaze, those familiar shivers moving down my back. It was an uncanny effect he had on me and I wish I knew the reason for it. “I’m good. How are you?”

His smile reached his eyes. “I’m great.”

“Good.” I returned the smile then turned back to my dog, tugging her away from Bernie a bit. “Daisy, give him some room to breathe.”

Next to me, Alex chuckled. “Say, ‘I’m excited, mama. I’ve missed Bernie so much’.”

“She’ll miss him even more when she suffocates him.”

He laughed and gathered the black leash attached to the Bernese. “Shall we walk?”

I peeked my eyes towards his dog then back to him. “Will he be okay?”

“Of course.” He touched my arm and we started a slow gait along the sand. “He’s not gimp.”

I felt a blush creep up my cheeks. “Well, I wasn’t sure how he was doing with everything.”

“Better than expected, actually. The doc said he’s surprised how well Bernie is handling the diet and medications.”

“Oh, that’s great!” I flashed a grin and squeezed his hand.

He returned the squeeze then continued to hold my hand. “We’re not in the clear yet. He still has to undergo chemotherapy and they’re talking about surgery.”

“Surgery?”

“Yeah,” He nodded and watched as the two animals tried to frolic in the waves, “To remove the tumors.”

“Oh gosh,” I was overcome with sadness for the dog. “Are… you okay?”

A shrug. “Doing the best I can. There’s still a long ways to go and a hard fight, but Bernie’s a fighter.”

My eyes shifted in his direction. “You seem to be one too.”

He gave my hand a warm squeeze. “I do my best.”

I giggled low, finding myself liking the feel of his hand and the warmth that seeped into me. “So, there’s this contest at work and whoever has the highest sell percentage gets a trip to Hawaii.” I wasn’t sure why I was telling him this.

“Oh yeah? Are you going to win?”

“I don’t know, some people seem to think so. I don’t know if I want to though.”

“Really? It’s Hawaii, how can you not want to win?”

“Because you have to attend this convention and listen to lectures and all that kind of stuff.” I left out the real reason why I didn’t want to go.

“You find those kinds of things boring?”

I tugged Daisy back from where she was trying to catch a crab that scurried along the sand. “Not totally, but who wants to spend all day in a lecture hall?”

“True, especially when it’s Hawaii.”

“Exactly.”

We fell into a comfortable silence as we strode along, the dogs pawing at each other before darting this way and that, trying to jump in the waves or catch a butterfly. It felt nice to just walk and not worry, or over think, or stress myself out. Alex was a good companion; there was no pressure to be something I’m not, or move past something I’m not ready to. I still couldn’t explain why I felt so at ease around him, but I was beginning to learn not to question it.

“I’m surprised there’s not more people out here.” I finally broke the silence and glanced around at the surroundings. A few people were parked in beach chairs or strewn over beach towels, and a couple of children played in the surf, but for the most part it was empty.

“Most everyone’s over at the public beach, or the boardwalk.” Alex explained. “And the ones that use this one, are so used to it they get bored coming out here.”

“I don’t see how that could be possible. This place is too beautiful for someone to not want to be a part of it.”

“People don’t always realize what they have.”

I gave a little nod. “That’s very true. And when they do realize, it’s too late.”

“You need to live each day like it’s your last.”

I glanced over at him, realizing we were still holding hands. “Do you do that?”

“I try to. Sometimes I get caught up in the every day living, or all life’s troubles, but I try to take a step back and look at the big picture.”

I nodded and finally took my hand back from his, using it to tuck some stray hair behind my ear. “Where does your mom live?”

Alex gave a slow blink and chuckled low. “That’s a pretty random question.”

I gave a little shrug, but remained quiet.

“She lives in Florida.”

“Really?” My eyes cast his way. “How often do you see her?”

“Hmm…” He rubbed his chin and thought it over. “Major holidays, sometimes I’ll go back for a visit or she’ll come out here.” He paused then looked at me. “Why?”

I shrugged. “No reason.”

He studied me a moment then reined his dog in from where Bernie had been trying to run out into the water. “How often do you see your mom?”

I didn’t look at him. “It’s been awhile.”

“How long is awhile?”

“Almost a year and a half.”

“That is awhile.”

And suddenly I didn’t want to talk about this topic anymore. “Yeah, but she and my dad may be coming out to visit me soon.”

“Well, that’s good.” He reached over and captured my hand again.

We strolled along in that comfortable silence once more, just observing the two dogs and their playful frolicking. After making our way so far down the beach, we finally turned and began to head back. The sun had risen a little higher in the sky and was beating down. It wasn’t scorching hot, but I was definitely feeling warmer than when we’d started off. I would probably want to get a shower in before we met up for whatever else he had in mind. Speaking of which.

I glanced over at him. “So, where are we going after this?”

“Have you ever heard of Catalina Island?”

“Um…I’ve heard it mentioned before, but that’s about it.”

“Well, I’m gonna take you there.”

My eyes widened some. “Really? What kind of things are there?”

“Lots of things.” His eyes danced as he looked my way. “Kayaking, jet skiing, snorkeling, horseback riding, a museum, dance club…golf course.”

“Wow… we won’t be bored, huh?”

He chuckled and lifted my hand, brushing his lips over my knuckles. “Not at all.”

I tilted my head and watched him all thoughtful. “That sounds nice though. I don’t even remember the last time I…rode a jet ski.”

Alex glanced to his watch. “Well, what are we waiting for? How ‘bout we take our pooches back, get cleaned up and I’ll pick you up at one?”

“Okay,” I nodded and sent him a grin. “That sounds good to me.”

“Great.” He matched my grin then together we strolled hand in hand back towards my place.

Chapter Fifteen by summer
Author's Notes:
Here we go, my lovelies. Thanks for all the great feedback! It's always appreciated :)

Alex picked me up precisely at one and loaded my belongings into the back of his SUV. I tried not to go anywhere unprepared, so I had packed a spare change of clothes, my bathing suit, a beach towel and some personal hygiene items. The last thing I wanted was to not be fresh and clean around him. He, of course, had packed his own bag and as we headed towards Long Beach, he told me how Bernie had gotten so sad after leaving his female companion. I returned my own tale of my Daisy’s behavior and suggested that maybe they should see each other more often. My date agreed and before I knew it we were pulling up into a parking lot.

He came around and got my door and as I climbed from the vehicle I noticed the large ship that towered over the dock it was parked by. It rose high into the sky with a mast that seemed to go up for miles.

“Wow…” I breathed out as Alex took my hand and began to lead me towards the dock where the magnificent ship awaited, “what is that boat?”

“That’s the Queen Mary. Use to be one of the most world renowned ocean liners.”

I gaped at its beauty, forgetting I was supposed to be walking and nearly tripped over a rock.

“Whoa, you okay?” His strong hands caught my arm and he kept me from hitting the ground.

A slight blush crept over my cheeks. “Yes, sorry….”

“Hey, it’s okay.” He flashed his charming smile and took my hand again, giving it a warm squeeze.

We resumed our walking and I paid more attention to where I was going while stealing quick glances to the large ship. “What’s it doing here?”

“It’s a tourist attraction.”

“Really?” I glanced at him with wide eyes.

He chuckled and slowed his pace some so we could observe the ship. “Yeah, there’s a hotel and they’ll do special events and tours, things like that.”

“That’s really cool. Have you ever been on it?”

“Not yet, but maybe one day.”

“Yeah,” I echoed him then glanced around, “so, where are we going?”

“Right over here…” He directed us across a street then over to a large open area where two helicopters waited.

My brows rose and I glanced around, wondering if we were going to be boarding them. After all, Catalina Island was an island and there were probably only a few ways to access it.

Alex excused himself and moved over to where a couple men were waiting, they spoke for a few minutes then he rejoined me. “Hope you don’t get air sick.”

I giggled low and shook my head, my eyes trained on the helicopters that one man was now heading towards. “Are we going on one of those?”

“That’s exactly what we’re doing.” He wiggled his brows in a playful manner then led me along to where the man had now boarded one of the crafts.

It didn’t take long to get ourselves situated inside the helicopter with our baggage tucked away, and we were even given the earphones with the mics so we could communicate. Soon, the chopper had its blades spinning and we were lifting into the air.

I watched out the window in amazement as the ground became farther away and we began to move towards the ocean. “This is so cool!” I had never been in a helicopter before and the only view of the ocean I had seen from overhead was from 32,000 feet as we were flying over the Pacific to Hawaii.

“Yeah, it is pretty cool.” My date chimed in as he peered out next to me.

I tried to look ahead to see where we were going. “Where is this island at?”

“Um, it’s a little ways out there. It’ll take us about fifteen minutes.” He settled back into the seat and I turned to look at him.

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” He took my hand and brought it to his mouth, kissing my knuckles softly.

I giggled lowly then glanced back outside, watching as we flew over the Pacific and noting the different boats and jet skis that littered the crisp blue water. It was a view unlike anything I’d ever seen before and I had no idea why I felt that way. I had seen things more beautiful; the breathtaking views of Hawaii, autumn colors splashed on the trees in Connecticut and sunsets from my balcony. But something inside of me was touched and I could feel myself slowly coming alive. Normally, I would run, but in this moment it felt right; and so I watched with awe and wonderment as the helicopter took us far over the ocean and to the island.

The view of the landing was as stunning as the takeoff had been. The island looked so alive and bright with colors and people that laughed and enjoyed their day. I was filled with this energy the minute I climbed from the aircraft and eagerly took hold of my date’s hand, leading him along with me.

“Where are we going?” He asked in a cute tone.

I glanced around and slowed my gait, chuckling low at myself. “I have no idea.”

Alex laughed and pulled me closer to him. “What do you say to trying out some jet skis?”

A beautiful smile graced my face. “That sounds fun.”

“Great, c’mon.” And with that he steered us towards the beach.

Twenty minutes later we were suited up and wearing the life vests the jet ski rental place required you to wear. Our skis were loaded into the water and we were given the normal operating instructions and safety rules. After making sure we had signed the waivers, they left us on our own and we were soon boarded and heading out towards more open water.

It took me a few to refamiliarize myself with the personal watercraft, but soon I had it under control. The last time I could even remember being on one of these things was the summer I was 16. I had gone with a friend to her parent’s cabin on a lake and we’d spend our days out on the jet skis or lying on the beach. That had been a good vacation. We had met a couple of the guys from across the lake and had our summer flings, of course they were innocent compared to teenagers today. And after promising to keep in touch, I hadn’t ever heard from Gage Wilson again. Weird I could still remember his name.

Alex took to the Jet Ski like it was second nature. He flew along the water with such ease and it took me a little while before I could keep up with him. Together, we spent the next hour racing each other, doing turns and seeing who could spray the other with more water. He won and I ended up wetter then I would have if I’d just been swimming.

Finally, exhausted and out of breath, we brought the skis in to the dock. Alex returned our life vests inside the rental place and I collapsed on the damp wood, stretching my legs out and facing up at the bright sky, my eyes closed.

“Tired?” His voice broke the peacefulness of the water around me and I squinted up at him.

“Mmhmm, my muscles feel like rubber.”

He chuckled and sank down beside me. “That’s normal.”

I shaded my eyes from the sun with one hand. “You were like a pro out there.”

“I’ve owned a few jet skis in my days.”

“Ooh, well that explains it.” Settling back, I closed my eyes and faced up at the warm sun.

He laughed low and I could feel his eyes on me. “You too tired to move?”

I gave a nod.

“Am I going to have to carry you?”

That got a giggle from me and I peeked at him again. “Maybe.”

He laughed and I realized that I loved the sound. “What if I said I was exhausted?”

“Well,” I looked him over, seizing him up. “I could try to carry you, but I don’t think we’d get very far.”

He laughed again and shifted down on his back next to me, watching me with the cutest expression. “I could be offended by that, you know.”

“Maybe I’m insulting myself. I’m too weak to carry you.”

“I see how it is.” He rolled onto his side, propping his head up with his hand, his eyes on mine.

Something inside my chest stirred and I shivered at his look, the air around us suddenly changing, growing thick with electricity.

It felt like a movie; he catches your eye, you stare longingly at each other and slowly, every so slowly, inch by inch you draw closer. Your eyes close in anticipation and you can swear you feel the warmth of his breath on your skin. His fingers graze your arm and your heart pounds in your chest, your mind whirling with the thoughts of what is about to happen. And then, just as you feel the very, very light brush of his lips against yours, someone calls out ‘excuse me’.

I jerked back with a start as the voice interrupted us. Quickly, scrambling to my feet, I smoothed my hair and glanced around, feeling my heart still pounding away. The realization of what had almost happened made my stomach twist and I stammered out that I needed to go change. Then I escaped to the women’s changing room before he could say a word.

Once inside the safe haven, I sank down onto a bench and clasped my hands together in an attempt to get them to stop shaking. Had that person, who had interrupted, not been trying to get around us, he would have kissed me. I could feel my chest tightening at that thought and leaned over, forcing myself to take some slow, deep breaths. I wasn’t sure if I was ready for that quite yet, and I was shocked at how I had let it nearly happen. On the other hand, I was trying to move on and get my life back on track. But was I really prepared for all this? The inner turmoil in my head was giving me a headache.

“Excuse me?”

I jerked and looked over at the voice to find a tall, thin woman with mocha colored skin and bright green eyes. “Yes?”

“Are you Morgan?”

“Uh…yeah…” How did this woman know my name?

“There’s a gentleman outside that asked me to see if you were okay.” She motioned towards the doors leading from the changing room.

Alex had sent her in here. “Um, yeah…tell him I’m just fine and I’ll be out in a minute.” I sat up straight and pulled the string, which held my locker key, from where I had tied it around my wrist.

She watched me with a curious expression then gave a nod. “Sure, okay.” Turning, she strode for the doors and back outside.

I sat on the bench a moment longer and gathered my composure. If Dianna were here she’d tell me to stop acting like a teenager and get a hold of myself. I probably shouldn’t have run off on him like that, but I was having a freak-out moment. And now I wasn’t sure what to say when I went back out to join him. I didn’t want to act weird and I didn’t want him acting weird either.

“Come on, Morgan, just move past it. It’s over and done with.” I shook my head and stood, moving over to the locker my belongings were stored in.

I hadn’t been ready for the kiss at that moment, but that didn’t mean I wouldn’t be ready for one when the time was right. Thinking about his lips on mine seemed a little weird; I hadn’t thought about kissing anyone else since Hugh. It might take a little while to get used to, but the idea didn’t scare me as much as I thought it would. In fact, a part of me thought it might be kind of nice.

Fifteen minutes later I was exiting the changing room to find Alex had changed as well. He stood waiting for me by a bench, smoking a cigarette. Upon seeing me, he snuffed it out and flicked it to the side.

Slowly, I made my way over to him, feeling a little nervous and hoping he wasn’t upset. “Hey.”

“Hey.”

I fiddled with the hem of my shirt. “Sorry about um….earlier.”

He tilted his head. “Did I do something wrong?”

“No,” I shook my head, not wanting him to feel bad about anything, “it had nothing to do with you.”

He watched me for a moment before speaking again. “It’s that weight on your shoulders, huh?”

I sighed and took his hand, starting away from the edge of the dock and towards the street. “There’s a lot about me you don’t know.”

“I know there is.”

I gave a little nod, just strolling along slowly with him.

“You could tell me about them.”

“I…I don’t know if I’m ready to do that.”

“That’s okay.” He gave my hand a gentle squeeze. “But eventually you’re going to want to tell me.”

I sent him a sideways glance. “How do you know?”

He didn’t look at me, just watched ahead of the path we were heading down. “Because something bigger than either of us has brought us together.”

“That doesn’t mean anything.”

He stopped and turned me to face him, his eyes sending shivers down into my toes. “It means everything, Morgan.”

The pulse in my neck was throbbing. “Are you saying we belong together, or something?”

“I’m saying we were brought together for some reason and what happens between us is left up to us.”

“Exactly, left up to us. And if I don’t want to tell you something I’m not gonna.”

He gave a sigh and rubbed the back of his neck. “Why have you built such a thick wall around yourself?”

I was struggling; I wanted to tell him, but at the same time I wanted to keep it locked away. “I told you; there are things about me you don’t know.”

He was quiet for a long moment just studying me. Finally he spoke, “You lost someone, didn’t you.”

I couldn’t keep his gaze any longer. I looked off towards the rolling waves of the Pacific.

“I’m not going anywhere.” He said softly, reaching up and smoothing his fingers over my cheek. “So, whenever you’re ready, I’ll be here.”

My gaze flickered back to him. “We barely know each other.”

“We’ll get there.” His fingers lingered on my cheek before he drew back and took my hand in his. “Now, why don’t we go check out the museum?”

~*~*~*~*~

It was dark by the time we arrived back on the mainland and he pulled his SUV into my driveway. I had left the porch light on and it cast an eerie glow against the darkness around. I didn’t move from the passenger seat as I stared ahead out the window and thought about how I would have to go inside all alone. I thought about getting ready for bed and no one joining me. I thought about falling into a restless sleep and being haunted by that horrible nightmare of someone trying to kill me. Suddenly, I wasn’t okay with all that.

Turning towards my companion, I found him observing me.

“Take me home with you.”

He blinked, quite taken back by my request. “What?”

“I…” I shook my head, pushing some hair from my face, “I don’t mean…like that. I just….I don’t want to be alone tonight. I’m so tired of being alone.”

He watched me another moment, but then finally gave a nod. “Okay. Do you need to go inside for anything?”

I shook my head. “No, I have a change of clothes in my bag and the other things I may need. And Daisy has enough food and water till tomorrow morning.”

“Okay,” He nodded again then put the SUV into reverse and backed out of my drive.

We were quiet as he steered his vehicle down the road and I stared blankly out the side window. I should have been embarrassed and surprised at my behavior, but I wasn’t. Inside I felt numb. I was tired of being scared, alone, sad. I just wanted to feel again, feel alive and like I had something to live for. But, how do you start over?

That was the million dollar question and I turned it over and over in my head unsuccessfully until we slowed and turned into Alex’s drive.

A tall, black wrought iron gate greeted us and he pushed a button on his console, causing the entrance to swing open. Slowly, he steered us up the drive, revealing the exquisite, two story Mediterranean style home. It was large and the front lawn spread out as far as the eye could see. In the center of the circular drive stood a fountain and I felt like I had stepped into a movie just taking it all in.

“Wow…” I breathed out softly, “your place is beautiful.”

“Thank you.” He smiled over at me then pushed another button and one of the doors on the three-car garage began to lift.

After pulling into the garage and parking the SUV, he climbed out and got my door. Together, we gathered our bags then he led us past a nice, shiny black sports car of some kind and to the door that took us inside the home.

I stepped inside and slipped my shoes off, glancing around and noting the dark woods and antique, gothic style décor.

“You’re home is very unique.” I spoke and shifted my bag onto my shoulder. “It really fits you.”

“Thank you.” He flashed a cute grin and took his own shoes off. “I take pride in all my decorating.”

“I can tell.” The gothic décor was definitely not my style, but I could tell from the artwork that adorned the room that he put a lot of thought and consideration into each and every piece.

“Let me take this.” Alex reached over and slipped my bag from my shoulder. “I can show you to your room and you can get a hot shower, then we can watch a movie or something if you want.”

I sent him a grateful smile. “That sounds really good, thank you.”

“No problem.” He gently brushed his fingers over my cheek then took my hand and led me from the room, up the stairs and down the hall to the guest bedroom.

It was a simple room with a full sized bed draped with a deep crimson red bedspread. The walls were a very light gray and the furniture a deep mahogany.

“Oh, this is nice.” I trailed my fingers over the top of a dresser and surveyed my surroundings.

“I don’t like to get all fancy.” He put my bag onto a chair.

I turned to face him again. “Me either.”

His mouth formed a smile that made my heart skip a beat. “The bathroom is directly across the hall. There are fresh towels in the closet in there. Help yourself and when you’re finished just come on downstairs.”

“Okay,” I reached out and caught his hand, “thank you.”

His eyes lingered on mine. “It’s no problem.” He brushed his knuckles over my cheek then exited the room.

I stood there a moment longer before shaking myself out of the daze I had fallen under and moving over to my bag. He was a powerful force; the way his touches warmed my skin, how his gaze seeped into my soul and exposed me, the fact that I hardly knew him, yet sometimes I wanted nothing more than to be in his embrace. Something strange was going on here, though maybe if I ignored it enough it’d go away. Or at least wait until I knew I was ready.
Chapter Sixteen by summer
Author's Notes:
Thanks so much for all the feedback, it really helps me write faster! Enjoy the update...it's a good one :)

 

It was the middle of the night and I was wide awake. Glancing over to the small clock on the nightstand, and seeing I’d only been in bed for about three hours, I gave a groan and turned to my side, pressing my face into the pillow. Why couldn’t I fall asleep? The day had been long and I should have fallen into a quick sleep the minute my head hit the pillow, but instead I lay tossing and turning, feeling restless. Maybe it was because I wasn’t in my own bed. The different house, the different room, all the new sounds; maybe they were keeping me up. Or maybe it’s because I couldn’t stop thinking about the man asleep in his room down the hall. He might be the reason for my insomnia.

After my shower, Alex and I had convened in his den for a movie. He made up some buttered popcorn and we’d spent a few hours engrossed in some action thriller, munching on the snack. Afterwards, we had just lounged on his leather sofa discussing our favorite movies and books and different philosophies of life. It was different for me, but in a good way. And before retiring for the night, he promised a big pancake breakfast that next morning. And now here I lay not able to get his face out of my mind.

I gave a groan and pushed the pillow away. I felt like a 16 year old with a crush on the football captain. I remembered all those nights back in high school dreaming and day dreaming about that one boy. How just one smile from him made your day and if he stopped to talk to you in the hall, well that made your entire week. That boy that was unattainable, because of course he’d already had a girlfriend or he wasn’t interested in you for anything more than a friend. But Alex; Alex was single and obviously interested in me. And I think I liked him back. No, I know I did. I was just scared and afraid that moving on meant forgetting. I never wanted to forget.

With a heavy sigh, I pushed the covers off my legs and sat up. The pale light from the moon filtered in through the half open blinds that hung over the windows and it cast the room in an eerie glow. A noise on the other side of the bedroom door caught my attention and I looked to the oak wood, staring intently and listening to see if it would come again. It did; a soft thud towards the bottom of the door. The thought that something was in the hall made my heart race, but I bit back my fear and slipped from the bed.

Stealing slowly to the door, I hesitated just a moment before reaching for the knob and easing it open.

Bernie’s lonely face greeted me.

I gave a low chuckle and pulled the door open further, kneeling down by the dog and smoothing his fur.

He nuzzled to my hand then tried to lick it.

“Aww, don’t lick me.” I made sure to keep my voice low. “What are you doing out here anyway?” Alex had told me he kept Bernie in his room at night, along with his other dog, Ozzy.

The glossy coated dog nudged at me until he could slip past me then entered into the room.

“Ooh, you want to sleep in here with me, huh?” I watched him sniff around the room. “Can you smell Daisy on me? Is that it?”

It seemed to be because he zeroed in on my bag and settled himself on the floor directly under the chair.

I watched him with a small grin. “I’m sorry I didn’t bring her with me. You would have loved that.”

He sent me a look that seemed to tell me I was a fool for not doing so and it made me chuckle.

“You’ll see her soon, I promise.” I shook my head some and peered out into the hallway again before returning to Bernie. Did Alex know his dog had wondered off? I didn’t want to shut him up in the room with me and worry him if he awoke and couldn’t find the Bernese Mountain Dog. “You probably shouldn’t stay in here.”

The expression on his doggy muzzle said he wasn’t going anywhere and to accentuate that point, he shifted and seemed to settle even more into the floor.

I could only laugh; he was a dog with quite a character, that’s for sure.

“Morgan?”

With a jerk, I looked back out to the hallway to find Alex standing there, clad in only some dark pajama pants and carrying a glass. “Alex….hi.”

He watched me a little confused. “Are you alright?”

“Um yeah, I…couldn’t sleep and then I heard this noise and Bernie was out there and he came in here and ….” I glanced to the dog then back to his owner, “…now he won’t leave.”

“Bernie’s in there?” Alex gave a chuckle and poked his head into the room, spotting the furry animal. “What are you doing in here, boy? C’mon, Morgan wants to go to bed.”

“Um actually,” I spoke up, fiddling with a strand of my hair, “I can’t sleep.”

His heart melting eyes returned to me. “Oh. Are you okay?”

I nodded, tucking the hair behind my ear. “Yeah, I just… you know, different room, new bed…that kind of thing.”

“Ooh.” He gave a nod of his own. “Do…you want me to take you home?”

I blinked. “Oh, no…no. I….no.” I shook my head quickly. “I want to stay.”

“Good, cuz I didn’t really want you to go.” He sent me a cute smirk and I giggled.

“Well, good, cuz I’m not going.” Oh my word, we were acting like teenagers.

“So, um…you want something to drink?” He motioned to the glass in his hand.

“Yes, please.”

Another smile graced his face. “Okay, come with me.” Then he took my hand and led me from the room.

Ten minutes later, I was tucked into the corner of his couch with a blanket around my legs and a mug of hot chamomile tea in my hands. He was seated next to me, sipping on his own beverage. I watched him, getting caught up in how inviting his skin looked and the way the muscles in his arms moved. I didn’t even realize I had been staring until he spoke my name and my cheeks flushed.

The corners of his eyes crinkled from the grin on his face and he reached out, smoothing his hand along my arm. “You see something you like?”

My blush grew and I gave an embarrassed giggle, ducking my head.

“Aww…” He moved his hand to my leg and gave it a squeeze. “I’m just teasing you.”

“So um…” I cleared my throat and tried to will the pink from my cheeks, “how come you’re awake in the middle of the night?”

He kept his hand on my leg. “Sometimes I get insomnia.”

I gave an understanding nod. “Me too, sometimes; though it’s not really …insomnia, it’s more just a restless sleep.”

“I feel ya.” His hand smoothed gently on my leg over the blanket.

“What keeps you awake?”

He tilted his head in a thoughtful manner. “Too many thoughts racing through my head, I suppose. I’ll lay there trying to sleep, but instead be thinking about all the shit I have to do the next day, or trying to figure out why this happened or wonder about that.”

“Yeah, that happens to me sometimes too.”

He gave my leg a squeeze. “It sucks.”

I could only agree. “Yes, it does.”

He gave a nod and took a sip of his drink, lowering the glass back down to his leg. I gripped my mug tighter when his soul searching eyes turned to me once more. For some reason, I felt exposed; completely laid open for him to see every little incident, every little flaw, every little part of me. It made me fidget and I stared into my tea.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.” I shook my head, blowing into my tea before taking a sip.

“Liar.” He reached over and pushed some hair behind my ear, his touch sent chills racing down my neck and back.

I peeked to him. “You…just have this way of…” I searched for the right words, “of knowing exactly what I need, or …how to make me feel better. It’s like…you can see inside of me.” The instant the words left my mouth I wished they hadn’t. Why was I telling him this? Embarrassment flushed my cheeks and I pushed the blanket from my legs. “I mean… um…I think I’m gonna go on to bed.”

He caught my arm before I could rise from the couch. Gently, he tugged me back to a full sitting position and pushed the blanket aside. “You can’t run from this, Morgan.”

“I’m not.”

“You’re trying to.”

I shook my head. “No, I’m not…I…I’m…” I gave a sigh and stared back into my tea, “You wouldn’t understand.”

“Understand what?” His fingers tilted my chin so I was forced to meet his gaze. “Understand why you’re so scared? Why you’re so afraid? Why you’ve built a wall around yourself that’s higher than the Great Wall of China?”

I wanted to tear my gaze from his, but he still had hold of my chin. “I…I can’t…I…no…” Tears threatened my eyes. I didn’t want to think about it, I didn’t want to talk about it; I didn’t want to face it.

His fingers moved from my chin and grazed along my cheek then down over my neck before he took the mug from my hands and set it with his drink on the coffee table. He leaned back to me, taking both my hands in his, those damning eyes boring into the deepest parts of my soul. “Sometimes, holding on hurts more than letting go.”

I wanted to pull away; I wanted to tell him not to touch me. I wanted to sink into his embrace; I didn’t want him to let me go. Inside, I was in a ferocious battle of tug-o-war. My head on one end and my heart on the other and they were at a standstill. Tears glistened in my eyes as I watched him, half afraid to speak for fear of what I might say.

“Oh, Morgan.” He gave a sympathetic sigh and pulled me into his arms.

I melted against him. The warmth of his body flowed through into mine and for a single moment, everything seemed right. It felt so nice to be wrapped in him, so warm and comfortable; like this is where I was supposed to be. That thought sent a shock through me and my heart leapt into my throat.

He must have felt me tense because he began to rub my back in soothing circles, tilting his head and peering down at me. “When’s your birthday?”

“What?”

A tiny grin tugged at his lips. “Your birthday; when is it?”

“That’s a random question.”

“I know.”

“November 4th.”

“Do you have any siblings?”

“A brother; he’s older.”

“Where does he live?”

“New York.”

“Any nieces or nephews?”

“No, he doesn’t want kids.”

“Do you?”

I gave a shrug. “Someday.”

“I want kids someday too.”

I peeked up at him. “Have you ever been married?”

“No,” he shook his head, “I came close though.”

“What happened?”

His eyes clouded over. “Just one of those things; we were both in different places and I thought I was doing the right thing.”

“Was she pregnant?”

“No.”

I let it drop, not wanting to force him into something he didn’t want to reveal.

His next question made my stomach knot up.

“Have you ever been married?”

I felt the breath catch in my throat and quickly broke our eye contact.

He was quiet a moment, just smoothing his hand over my back. And when he spoke again, it was in a hushed tone. “I’ve had my heart broken too many times to even remember.”

I pulled back from him, shaking my head. “No, this,” I motioned to myself, “isn’t just a broken heart. My whole life is broken. I was merrily skipping along, then suddenly, bam, I go careening off a cliff that came out of nowhere.” I could hear the tremors in my voice, but I forced my eyes to meet his. “And now I’m broken; completely shattered and I don’t know how to fix myself.”

He reached for me, but I rose from the couch.

“You don’t get it. You think I’m afraid of love or …or relationships. But, it’s not that…” fresh tears now streaked my cheeks, “it’s that I have nothing left inside. I have nothing to give. The one man that I ever truly loved is gone…forever. I don’t feel like I’m even living anymore. I just move…go through the day and the motions, put on an act so people at least think I’m okay. But I’m not. Inside, I am so broken that I feel numb to it all. And you,” I watched him through my tears, “think that we were brought together by some greater being. You think we belong together, or whatever it is that you think, but you have no idea the kind of mess my life is in. You sit there and you try to figure me out, you try to guess or judge, but you can’t. You can’t do any of those things because you don’t know, you never have, and you never will know every little thing that I have been through. So, don’t talk to me about some greater force, don’t talk to me about destiny or fate, because the last thing I want to hear, is that it was my destiny that got my husband killed.”

I don’t think he knew what to make of my outburst. He didn’t say anything, just watched me with a look I couldn’t even read. And then he stood, moving to me and towering over my small frame.

I shrank back, feeling my heart still racing from the adrenaline coursing through my body. I hadn’t meant to go off on him, I didn’t want to hurt him, but it had to be said.

Suddenly, he was gripping my upper arms and hauling my body to his, crushing our mouths together.

It caught me too off guard to pull back, and the strong grip on my arms told me I wasn’t going anywhere.

His kiss chased my breath away. One hand snaked around to my back and up into my hair, holding my head to his, his mouth nibbling at my lower lip.

He consumed me; my lips tingled, my blood began heating up, my skin flushed. I tried to pull away, but he held me closer, invading my mouth with his tongue, teasing it at my own and eliciting a tiny groan from my throat.

His hand left my arm and he wrapped it around me, pressing the length of his body against mine, his fingers curled into my hair.

My head was spinning; I didn’t know what way was up or down. I was hot, and needing, and began to respond back as my own hands grabbed at his shoulders.

And then he was pulling back, keeping a firm hold on me, his chest heaving against my own. “Tell me you felt that.” His voice was low and husky and it made my knees wobble.

I couldn’t think, let alone speak. My lips felt swollen and my cheeks were ablaze with heat.

His hand slipped from my hair and moved to my chin, tilting it to face him. “Open your eyes.” He spoke firmly, but his words held a gentle tone.

My lids fluttered open and I tried to focus on his face.

“Better.” He spoke, once our eyes locked. He cupped my cheek with his hand, his head just inches from mine. “Now, tell me you felt that.”

I gave a little nod, trying to wrap my head around that kiss.

“Say it.”

The words seemed stuck inside and I had to clear my throat before I could speak. “I…felt it…”

“You’re alive, Morgan.” He pressed his forehead to mine, his fingers smoothing along my warm cheek. “You can’t cling to your anger, or your hurt or even the pain. They use up all your energy. Take that energy and focus on the here and now. The past is what it is; the past. You can’t change it. All you can do is let it go. You have to learn to live for yourself. Be who you want to be, not who others want you to be. Feel what you want to feel, not what they want you to feel.” He wet his bottom lip with the tip of his tongue before speaking again. “Because you can feel, and you are alive inside; even if you don’t see it yet.”

I had no words. My eyes shimmered with tears and I held to him tightly, just knowing if he let go I would crumble to the floor. His words had touched something deep inside; stirring my soul, and I knew after tonight nothing was going to be the same.

We stood like that for I don’t know how long before he finally guided me back to the couch. His arms wrapped around me and he held me close, pressing soft and lingering kisses to my head, forehead, temple and cheeks. It felt so nice to have a warm body against mine, to hear his heart beating, to watch the rise and fall of his chest with every breath he took. I had to smooth my hand down his arm to make sure he was real; not just a figment of my imagination. But he was real, he was very real and it made my pulse race just thinking about him.

“What are you doing tomorrow?” His voice finally broke the silence that had settled over us.

I shifted in his arms and glanced up to his face. “Um… I’m supposed to go shopping with a friend. I think she wanted to do lunch too, but I don’t remember at the moment.”

“Ooh,” he gave a nod, his fingers ghosting along my upper arm. “So, that means, I have to have you home bright and early, huh?”

I gave a little shrug and watched as my own fingers began to trace little patterns on his bare chest. “I could call her and move it to later in the afternoon if you didn’t want to.”

“Or…” He drew the word out, “you could call her and cancel and then spend all day here with me.”

The grin that covered his face was so adorable and I couldn’t help but reach up and touch his cheek. “I could do that too, you’re right.”

“So you will?”

“Hmm… I don’t know. She was pretty intent on going shopping.”

“Well, I’m sure if you tell her you’re spending the day with a wonderful and very handsome man she would be just fine in rescheduling.”

“You’re probably right.” I watched my fingers smooth along his skin. “What would we do if I stayed?”

“Whatever you want to do. The sky’s the limit.”

I arched a brow. “Really? So… if I said let’s fly to Paris and visit the Louvre, we would?”

He watched me unblinking. “Do you have a passport?”

I gave a nod.

“Then absolutely. You take a few days off work and we’re there.”

I blinked, eying him with a rather disbelieving expression. “Uh huh.”

He raised one eyebrow, that simple action causing a chill to spread over me. “You don’t believe me?”

I wasn’t sure what I believed. “I just…I mean… that’s … a lot and we’re …we….” I was having a hard time conveying my thoughts.

“It’s too soon for the Louvre, huh? Why don’t we start with something like the Grand Canyon?”

“What?”

“How ‘bout we drive to the Grand Canyon? Have you ever been there?”

I gaped at him. “Are you serious?”

“Of course.” He reached and laced our fingers together. “It’s about a seven hour drive. We could stay a couple nights, even take the dogs. You haven’t seen anything until you’ve seen something like the canyon.”

This man was unreal. “I can’t just take off and go to the Grand Canyon; I have work.” Besides, I didn’t know him well enough to go off traipsing over the country with him.

“That’s too bad. It’s really beautiful; I think you would have enjoyed it.”

“I think we should just spend Sunday doing something simple like…sunbathing or going to a movie.”

A slow smirk covered his lips. “So, you’re going to reschedule with your friend.”

I gave a low chuckle at how he had trapped me into that. Very sneaky. “Yeah, I suppose I am.”

“Good.” He wrapped his arm back around my shoulders and drew me closer to his chest. “And maybe one day we’ll get to the Louvre.”

I wasn’t sure how far we would get, but if tonight was any inclination, I had a feeling he’d be around for a good while. Rather I wanted him to be or not.

 

End Notes:

Finally a kiss...right? LOL

Chapter Seventeen by summer
Author's Notes:
All your awesome feedback really motivates me to write more so the updates are faster! Thanks so much! :)

 

Sunday, I called Dianna to see if we could reschedule. Of course she was fine with that and even finer with it when she found out who I was spending the day with. I had to promise to call her with all the sordid details of course, but I didn’t intend to. What was happening between Alex and me I wanted to keep between us. There was something there and until I was confident I knew what it was, I didn’t want to go running my mouth about it. Part of me also felt that the bond we were slowly forming was too special at the moment to gossip about. Dianna would just have to wait.

Alex made us breakfast after we finally met downstairs in the kitchen close to 11am. I shuffled in with a freshly washed face and dressed in clean clothes to find him already scrambling eggs and flipping pancakes. He still wore the pajama pants and I paused a moment to admire how they hung on his frame. A blush crept over my cheeks as he glanced to me and I quickly looked away.

“How’d you sleep?” He questioned as he took some plates from the cabinet and set them on the counter.

I slipped onto a stool there at the counter. “Once I finally fell asleep, pretty well.”

“Yeah, I finally drifted off eventually as well.”

“That bed in your guestroom is really comfy. It felt like I was lying on a cloud.”

“You think that one’s nice, you oughta try my bed.” He glanced my way as he piled our plates with food.

“Is it like sleeping on a cloud?”

“It’s like sleeping on a dozen clouds.” He set my plate in front of me then moved to his fridge. “Whatcha wanna drink?”

“Um, do you have apple juice?”

“I do.”

“Great, thank you.” I unfolded a napkin in my lap then took my fork. “This looks and smells really good.”

“I hope you like it.” He slid a glass of apple juice in front of me then took his own spot on the stool next to mine.

I began to butter the toast and glanced over to him, making a face at the ketchup he was squirting onto his eggs. “Ew.”

He looked to me. “What? This?” He motioned towards the concoction and chuckled when I gave a nod. “Have you ever tried it?”

A shudder ran down my back. “No. My husband would eat it that way too, sometimes and always try to get me—” I stopped mid sentence. I hadn’t meant to let anything slip out about Hugh.

Alex didn’t seem fazed. “I think your husband had very good taste.”

I wet my bottom lip and studied the food on my plate, not feeling very hungry anymore. “Yeah…”

“I mean, he liked ketchup on scrambled eggs…and he married you.”

My head snapped in his direction and I found him watching me with an amused expression.

“I like you, Morgan. I think that much is very obvious.”

I could only nod. “It… is.”

“Good.” He smirked then turned back to his food.

“But ketchup on eggs is not good taste.”

“Depends on who you ask.”

“Me, and I say no.”

He chuckled and emphasized his own point by taking a big bite of the food, giving an ‘mmm’ as he ate it.

I couldn’t help but giggle then took a mouthful of my plain eggs, giving an ‘mmm’ of my own.

“You should really try this,” Alex encouraged after wiping his mouth. Quickly, he swiped the ketchup and was holding it over my eggs in a threatening manner.

“Nooo!” I laughed low and tried to cover the plate. “Don’t you dare!”

“Aww, what’s wrong? It’s just a little ketchup.” He shook the bottle some.

I laughed and tried to pull my plate away. “No, I like my eggs plain.”

“Alright,” he conceded and returned the ketchup back to its rightful spot, “You don’t want to try a new thing, that’s fine with me.”

I watched him, trying to decide if he was still being playful. “It’s not about trying new things; it’s about finding something you like and sticking with it.”

“Sometimes it’s good to broaden your horizons.”

“Oh believe me,” I stirred my fork around in the eggs, “I’ve broadened my horizons plenty these last few years.”

He gave a shrug and returned to his food. “So, tell me what he was like.”

I blinked, my head turning in his direction. “Why?”

A shrug, “Just curious; I’m sure he was an amazing guy.”

I wet my bottom lip, wondering why he was so interested in finding out about Hugh. “He was.”

“What’d he do?”

“Excuse me?”

His penetrating eyes met mine. “His job, a career. What was it?”

I felt a little sense of relief washing over me. I had for a split second thought Alex was asking me how he had passed. “Oh. He was a sports writer.”

“Was he any good?”

I had moved my gaze back upon my plate of food, not feeling very hungry anymore. “One of the best; he’d won a few awards.”

“Ooh, sounds like he knew his stuff.”

“He really did.”

We were quiet for a few moments then Alex spoke again.

“What did he look like?”

I felt a small lump forming in my throat. “Um, you know, I don’t think I’m really comfortable talking about this with you yet.”

His dark head gave a nod and he wiped his mouth with a napkin. “I can respect that.”

“Thank you.” I was now just stirring the food around on the plate.

There was another moment of silence and I managed to nibble on the toast, the crumbs feeling like sawdust in my throat.

“Can I ask you a question?”

I glanced over to find those soul stirring eyes upon me. The moment they met mine, something twinged familiarly in my chest. “…what’s that?” For some reason my heart was beginning to pound in my ears.

He just watched me a moment, his eyes searching my face before speaking, “Why are you holding onto him so tightly?”

I felt a pressure spreading slowly through my chest. “Wh…what?”

“Morgan,” he reached over and plucked the fork from my hand before clasping it with both of his, “holding onto what you have gone through, and him, is not healthy.”

My brows furrowed. “Are you saying I’m not healthy?”

“No, baby,” he pulled my hand to his mouth and pressed his lips to my knuckles, “but you don’t move forward by holding onto the past.”

“Who says I want to move forward!” The words came out harsher than I had intended, but I didn’t back down.

He didn’t seem fazed, however. “Don’t you want to? Why cling to the pain? Yesterday is gone, Morgan. All that’s left is today and tomorrow. Why are you holding onto something that is hurting you so much?”

I gave a sigh, not having the energy to get into this emotional conversation with him once more. “Why do we have to analyze and figure it out? Can’t we just be?”

He arched a single brow. “Is that what you want? To just…be?”

My eyes pleaded with him to just let it go. “Yes.”

He gave a nod then reached up and cupped my face, drawing me towards him. I hardly had time to even blink before his mouth was covering mine.

The kiss was soft, but was fueled by something deeper, and as his lips claimed mine, I felt a hard shiver run right through me. He had caught me off guard and made quite sure my head was spinning before I had time to recover and realize what he was doing. His mouth nibbled at mine and he teased his tongue at my lower lip, sucking it gently into his mouth then letting it free before kissing me like that all over again.

I could feel the heat that was slowly starting to work its way up through me, and as he intensified the kiss, and swept his tongue into my mouth, I felt that part of me that I had long forgotten, the part I had locked away start to reveal itself. It was what made me a woman, what drew two people together, the very core of oneself. Sexuality; raw and pure. I had pushed it away after Hugh’s death and now this man was slowly revealing it to me again.

His tongue was teasing mine as he kissed the very breath from my body. One hand smoothed into my hair and he tangled his fingers in it, the other ghosting along the side of my neck, sending goosebumps racing along my skin. I felt the small fire low in my belly and groaned softly against his mouth. Inside my chest my heart was beating a mile a minute and echoing in my ears. I was sure he could hear it and when his fingers tightened in my hair and he kissed me with a harder, unbridled passion, I knew he could.

His mouth seemed to devour mine, heat seeping into and slowly filling me. He was pulling me closer and closer to that line and I was dangerously close to crossing it. I could feel the simmering inside, the urges and needs he was stirring up were starting to come to life and I knew if I didn’t get away, if I didn’t squelch them, they would soon rage out of control. But I was powerless to stop him; he consumed me, pulled me under and wrapped me in all that was him. He was surrounding me; his scent, his taste, his sound, all that was Alex. It made my head spin and the pounding of my heart echoed loudly in my ears.

Finally, he pulled back, his hand still tangled in my hair, our mouths inches apart.

My chest gave sharp heaves and my eyelids fluttered, but stayed closed. I wasn’t even going to attempt to think yet.

When he spoke, his voice was low and thick and full of desire and want. “You still want to just …be?”

I couldn’t speak; I was barely able to manage a small squeak. My lids fluttered and then slowly opened and I had to blink them a few times to clear the blurry haze that had taken over my vision. It had just been a kiss, but it had shaken me to my very core, and as his face cleared and our eyes met, I knew nothing was going to be the same between us.

“I could kiss you until our breath becomes one,” He spoke low again and his words sent chills through me.

I didn’t know quite what to say, and for once I didn’t have any concrete thoughts.

He must have sensed that, because he gave a low chuckle and finally smoothed his hand from my hair, brushing my neck and collarbone before pulling it away. “You okay?”

I gave a little nod; at least I thought I was okay.

Those mesmerizing eyes bore into mine. “Did I kiss you speechless?” He chuckled low at that and took my hand, pressing his lips to my knuckles.

He must have, because I had nothing; no words, no thoughts, nada. That was a first.

His lips curved into a slow, sexy smirk. “If I had known kissing you would make you speechless, I’d have done it a long time ago.”

I blushed and pushed at his shoulder gently. “Shush.”

He laughed and caught my hand. “It’s true; I haven’t had a reaction like that from a girl in a long time.”

“You go around kissing a lot of girls?” I lifted a brow.

“Ooh, she speaks.”

I giggled low, “Hush.”

He wouldn’t let me pull my hand away. “You hush.”

“I already did.”

“Heh, I should kiss you again.”

“It’s not too late for me to call Dianna back and meet her for shopping.”

He laughed low at that, arching his brows. “You wouldn’t.”

I eyed him. “Try me and find out.”

“It might be worth it.”

I giggled and finally got my hand back, sitting back on my stool and putting some space between us. “I think my breakfast is cold.”

He let me change the subject and offered to heat it up for me, but I declined. Who liked reheated scrambled eggs? Not me.

We made it through the rest of breakfast without incident and then cleaned the kitchen together. Alex tried to stop me, but I threatened to douse him with the sprayer attached to the sink and he finally obliged.

Afterward, we lounged on his sofa, just making it a lazy Sunday afternoon. Those were the best kind though; just chilling and relaxing, not a care in the world. At least pretending there wasn’t a care in the world. He put the TV onto some movie channel and National Lampoon’s Vacation, starring Chevy Chase and Randy Quaid, was soon playing on the screen. Not my favorite, but humorous enough to watch.

It kept us entertained though and by the end of the movie, I was curled up against Alex, my head tucked against his chest and his arm around me, absentmindedly twirling my hair with his fingers. I don’t think either of us really noticed how we had ended up snuggled together, but it was nice and I felt protected and wanted, maybe even a little needed.

The credits began rolling across the screen and I smoothed my fingers over the skin on his chest. “Chevy Chase is so annoying.”

He tilted his head and looked down to me. “You don’t like Chevy Chase?”

I gave a shrug. “He’s okay, just…annoying in those National Lampoon movies.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. We didn’t have to watch it. You shoulda said something.”

“No,” I shook my head and lifted it from him, meeting his gaze, “I don’t mind watching it; he just annoys me.”

A grin tugged at his lips and he reached his hand up, brushing some hair from my face. “What kind of movies do you like?”

“I don’t really have a favorite genre. I can watch anything from comedies to dramas to suspense.”

“Horrors?”

I made a cute little face. “Sometimes. They freak me out, but I can stomach ‘em.”

He chuckled, “Next time we’ll watch something scary.”

I giggled lowly, “You just want me all close and hanging onto you.”

“Mhmm, that’s exactly what I want.” He wiggled his brows at me and pulled me closer.

I laughed and settled against his chest again. “I need to go home eventually and let Daisy out. She probably needs to pee something awful.”

“Ooh,” He made a little face. “You want me to take you on home?”

I glanced up at him, knowing I needed to, but not sure if I wanted to. “Do….you want to come with?”

He lifted his brows. “To your place?”

“Yeah,” I shrugged, “you don’t have to; you’re probably getting tired of me, huh?”

“No, baby,” he smoothed his fingers through my hair, “I don’t think I could ever get tired of you.”

“Oh yeah right,” I chuckled and sat up straight, watching him.

A teasing grin tugged at his lips. “Well, at least not for a long, long while.”

I giggled then kissed his cheek and pulled myself up from the couch. “Lemme go get my things and we can go if you want to.”

“Sure.” He pushed himself up and grabbed the remote, shutting the television off. “I gotta go change, but I’ll meet you down here in a few minutes.”

“Kay.” I watched him with a cute grin as he tossed the remote back onto the sofa then strolled from the room.

Following him, we made our way up the stairs then parted ways at the bedrooms. I moved into the guest room and gathered my bag, doing a once over and making sure I had everything. I didn’t know if Alex was going to come on over to my place and stay awhile, but he hadn’t said he wouldn’t. Something had changed last night after that kiss in the living room and then again in the kitchen. I couldn’t explain what I was thinking or feeling, but I didn’t sense the same caution or hesitances I’ve had sense Hugh’s death. In fact, Alex made me feel calm and happy and wanted.

I had no idea what was going to happen between us, or how far it would go or how serious it would get, but I knew I wanted to be around him. If I let myself dwell on my deceased husband I knew those old feelings would creep back in. So, I had to make sure I didn’t. I didn’t want to feel that loneliness or sadness that his memories filled me with. I needed to start learning how to honor his memory and not let it seclude me from all of my family and friends. I knew it wasn’t going to be an easy road to travel and that along the way I would probably have plenty of setbacks, but I had to start somewhere.

I wanted to learn how to live again and I was hoping that Alex would show me. Maybe angels were real after all.

 

End Notes:

Do you like ketchup on your eggs? Lemme know.

 

Chapter Eighteen by summer
Author's Notes:

Much thanks to each and every one of you that has left me feedback since I started posting this fic. I really appreciate it and it really does motivate me to write more. I'm glad everyone seems to be enjoying the story and I hope you all continue to do so.

I was surprised so many of you like ketchup on your eggs lol, that's great though. Me? I don't even like eggs lol. Thanks for letting me know! Hope you'll keep the feedback coming. Enjoy the update! :)

 

The next couple of days passed smoothly. Alex did indeed come over for a couple hours on Sunday. We spent most the time outside on the patio watching Daisy chase butterflies then ordered some Chinese Takeout before he left to return home. He kissed me again just before heading out and it left me as breathless as that morning in his kitchen. I realized I wasn’t against his kisses, nor was I against him. I did know I wanted to take things slow; very slow. The last thing I needed was to rush into any kind of a romantic relationship when I was still trying to learn how to overcome my grief and move on with my life. And if I did have some freak-out moments and tried to push him away, something told me he wouldn’t be so easily swayed. It felt soothing to know that I would be allowed to handle this and heal in my own way, on my own time without the fear of him growing tired and moving on.

I realized I didn’t want him to move on.

That frightened me. We hadn’t known each other long, we were just getting to be comfortable around the other and starting to get to know one another in depth, but I knew I didn’t want him leaving.

“Well, you seem in better spirits today.” Anna perched herself on the edge of my desk.

It was Tuesday and I had just gotten off the phone with the Kyle Weatherly. Things were moving along perfectly for the purchase of their dream home and it would only be a matter of time before inspections were being done and we were drawing up contracts. The Martin’s, however, weren’t as fortunate. The bank hadn’t come through on their lien and so they had to start all over again. We had some appointments Thursday to see some new listings that had come over at the end of last week. I was still waiting to hear from Mr. Playboy; Peter Berkins. He was supposed to call this week with his decision on the one beach house we had found that seemed to fit what he was looking for. The Lord only knows if he’d make an offer. I was hoping.

“Mmhmm, I had a good weekend.”

“Really?” She arched her brows as a sly little grin formed on her lips. “What did you do?”

I shrugged. “Well, on Sunday, I just lazed around, but Saturday I went over to Catalina Island with a friend and spent the day there.”

“Oh yeah?” She watched me with a look I hadn’t deciphered yet. “Why didn’t you tell me this yesterday?”

I leaned forward and began to collect the papers for the Weatherly account. “You were out most the day showing houses. I think we only talked in passing.”

“True,” she was quiet for a moment, “so, who’s the friend?”

I blinked then glanced to my watch. “Crap, what time is it?”

“11:30.”

“Already? I’ve got to meet someone at noon across town. Shoot.” I quickly rose to my feet and grabbed up my bag.

“You’re not going to tell me who you spent Saturday with?”

“No, I’m late.” I rifled through my bag and pulled out my keys. “I’ll talk to you later though, kay?” Then without waiting for a response, I hurriedly strode towards the doors that would take me out to the parking lot and my car.

I hadn’t been trying to avoid Anna’s question. She would probably think so, but that wasn’t the case. I had a friendly lunch date with Andrew at noon and if traffic were as horrible as normal, I’d probably be ten minutes late. The time had completely escaped me.

It was rather convenient on my part that my friend’s questions had come when they had, I didn’t want to avoid her, but I didn’t want to tell her about Alex. Dianna was the only one that really knew anything about him and for the time being that’s how I wanted it to stay. I couldn’t lie to Anna though and she’d see right through my “just a friend” line. I was going to have to use the next couple of hours to think up some kind of truthful response.

~*~*~*~*~

“There you are.”

Andrew greeted me with a relieved expression as I was led to the table in the cozy little Bistro by the hostess.

“Yes, sorry I’m late. I got wrapped up with work.” I set my purse on the table and gave his hand a squeeze when he stood and stretched it towards me.

“It’s no problem, I was thinking traffic.” He placed a chaste kiss to my cheek then pulled out my chair. “Have a seat.”

I thanked him then smoothed my a-line skirt and slipped into the seat.

“So, how are you?” He questioned once we were both settled again and the server had stopped by to take our drink orders.

I nodded some and fiddled with the edge of the menu. “Doing good, thank you. How are you? How was New York?”

“I’m excellent,” He flashed a charming grin showing off his dimples, “and New York is New York, busy and bustling and wonderful.”

“How’s your project coming along?”

Andrew gave a chuckle and smoothed his tie. “It’s still there. Things got off to a rough start, but they’re beginning to settle.”

“Oh,” I made a little face then gave a nod, “well that’s good.”

“Yes it is.” He smiled again then thanked the girl that brought us our drinks. We requested another few moments to look the menu over and she moved off to check on another table.

“Guess that means we should look at the menu.” I laughed low and flipped it open, taking a minute to read over the selections. “I’ve never been here, what’s good?”

“Everything,” came his response. “Are you in the mood for a sandwich, salad…steak?” His piercing blue eyes glanced overtop his menu to me.

“Um… maybe a salad or a sandwich; nothing heavy or filling.”

“They have a really good turkey burger.” He pointed it out to me and I read the description over.

“I dunno…”

“Chicken Caesar Salad?”

“Hm…no.”

“The Ahi Tuna Salad?”

“No….” I rubbed my head. I wasn’t sure what I was in the mood for.

From across the table, Andrew chuckled low. “Are you even hungry?”

I glanced over to him. “Well, yeah… I just… I don’t know what I’m in the mood for.”

He studied me and it made me want to squirm in my chair. “Is something bothering you?”

“No.” I shook my head and tucked some hair behind my ear.

I wasn’t sure if he believed me or not, but he smiled and turned back to his menu. “They have good Panini’s.”

I read the selections over, but didn’t see anything that caught my eye. “I think I’ll do a wrap. Ooh, they have a roasted turkey one.”

“I’ve had that one, it’s very good.”

“Okay, that’s what I’ll have.” Satisfied with finally making a decision, I set my menu down and leaned back in the chair. “What are you going to get?”

Andrew blinked some then gave a laugh that made me smile. “I dunno yet. I’ve been so caught up in finding something you’ll like I forgot all about myself.”

I giggled a little bit. “I’m sorry.” And then I was flipping the menu open once more and reading it over. “Okay, let’s see here… what are you in the mood for?”

“I think I want the fish tacos. I had started to read about them before you arrived.”

I wrinkled my nose in a cute manner. “Fish tacos. That doesn’t sound very appealing.”

He gave a light hearted laugh. “They’re delicious. They come with salsa, sour cream, Spanish rice.”

“Ew, but fish with Mexican styled food? How is that good?”

“I’m not sure,” he chuckled then gave a shrug, “it just is.”

I let it drop and soon we ordered the meals. Andrew told me about the different issues he was facing at work with the new project while we waited for the food to be prepared. After it had been served, I talked about the three clients I had been busy over the last week with. He laughed as I filled him in on Peter Berkins and then he asked if he had hit on me yet. Thank goodness he hadn’t, or I wouldn’t be able to help him. He’d be finding himself a new realtor, or a sexual harassment lawsuit, or quite possibly, both.

After the plates were cleared away, and we were relaxing in that ‘after lunch’ atmosphere, Andrew leaned back in his chair and smoothed his tie, just watching me with those piercing eyes.

“So, other then your clients, what’s been going on with you?”

I lifted my brows. “What do you mean?”

“I’m assuming your whole life doesn’t revolve around work.”

“Oh,” I chuckled and shook my head, “not at all.”

He gave a low laugh of his own and watched me with amusement. “So, what else have you been doing?”

I tilted my head and thought back over the previous week. “I’ve spent some time with some friends, went to the beach, tried out this seafood place over in Calabasas, went to Catalina Island on Saturday and…” I shrugged some, “have just been around. I don’t have a very exciting life.”

He lifted his brows. “You want an exciting life? How about coming out to New York this weekend and joining me at this dinner thing the Mayor is having.”

I blinked, “Are you serious?”

“Dead serious.”

I think my eyes grew three sizes. “You… you want me to fly to New York and go to dinner with you and the mayor?” I had thought we were just friends.

Andrew remained casual about the whole thing. “You said you had a boring life. That’d make it a little bit exciting.” He held up his hand, using his fingers to gesture ‘a little bit’.

I wasn’t entirely sure how to respond. “I…that’s….”

“You’d have a good time. You could come Friday afternoon and the dinner is Saturday night. We could go sightseeing during the day and then have brunch somewhere Sunday before you head back home.”

I did not know this man well enough to fly across the country for a weekend with him. “I don’t know, Andrew … I have work, and that’s so sudden. Besides, where would I stay? Last minute flights are expensive. Dinner with the mayor of New York sounds like a serious thing, I wouldn’t have anything to wear appropriate enough. And last time I checked we were just friends…what you’re suggesting sounds a little more serious than that.”

He reached across the table and took my hand. “It’s as serious as we make it. I know you want to just be friends and that’s all this dinner would be, a friendly dinner.”

I still wasn’t sure I could agree to something like that. “I… dunno,” a sigh, “I just told a friend I couldn’t go to the Grand Canyon with them because it was too sudden and I didn’t know them well enough.” My eyes searched his. “New York is a lot farther than the Grand Canyon.”

“True, but you’re from Connecticut. You’ve probably been to New York a hundred times. And you could see your family if you wanted to instead of sightseeing.” He ran a hand over the front of his shirt. “As for the expenses, I’d pick up the tab and no complaints from you,” He pointed a finger at me as he spoke that last part. “Friend to friend and,” he chuckled low, “I need a date for this dinner…even if it’s just a friendly date.”

I rubbed my forehead; I just wasn’t comfortable with this idea. “I don’t know, Andrew.”

He wet his bottom lip and gave a little nod. “That’s okay. I understand if you’re not comfortable with the whole idea.”

“I think we just need to be closer friends before you start paying for me to fly to New York for a weekend.”

He chuckled. “I really need a date for this dinner thing. I have a friend in New York that was going to go, but her mother is having surgery and she had to fly home to be with her.”

“Oh gosh, I’m sorry.”

“It’s not your fault.” He squeezed my hand then finally let it go. “I’ll find someone though.”

“Of course you will.”

“Yeah,” he watched me with a little grin, “and next time I have an affair to attend to here in LA, I’m calling you.”

I returned his grin with one of my own. “Well, next time you do, I’ll go with you.”

He leaned forward and took the bill the server had set down. “I’m holding you to that.”

I giggled softly and watched as he paid the bill, refusing money from me, then together we headed from the restaurant and bid our goodbyes before parting ways.

It was on the way back to the office that I realized I still didn’t know what I was going to tell Anna.

~*~*~*~*~

“So, who’d you go to Catalina Island with?”

She had cornered me at my desk just before five. I thought she must have forgotten about that question because she hadn’t tried to get any answers since I had gotten back from lunch. And now I knew why; she wanted me to think she had forgotten so I wouldn’t try to high tail it out of there or avoid her. She was sneaky, that’s for sure.

“Why are you so curious?” I remained calm and began clearing my desk of papers.

“Was it a date?”

Darn it. “Um….maybe.”

“Maybe? Ooh, Morgan! Who are you dating?”

I sighed and set the folder in my hands onto the desk. “Keep your voice down, I don’t need the entire office hearing about my personal life.”

Anna chuckled and lowered her voice, leaning in towards me. “Sorry.” She waited just a moment then spoke again, “So, who was this date with? I thought you weren’t really ready to get back into the swing of things.”

“I’m…” I wasn’t sure how to explain it. “Well… I’m not really, but… this isn’t like… normal dating. We’re…um….” What were we? I didn’t even know.

She watched me, waiting for me to continue my explanation.

I sighed and rubbed my head. “I don’t know what we are, but we went to the Island on Saturday and spent the day.” I wasn’t telling her about the rest of the date.

“What do you mean; you don’t know what you are? You went on a date, right? You’re dating. Unless…you don’t like him and want to see him again?” She chuckled low at that. “Was it a bad date?”

“No,” I shook my head and swiveled in my chair some, “the date went well and we got along great.”

She folded her arms across her chest. “Are you worried because you don’t think you’re ready to date yet?”

“A little bit.”

“You just take it one date at a time, Morgan,” her head tilted as she spoke. “Don’t let him rush you into anything and if you need to space them out …do so. Keep the ball in your court.”

“He wants to know what happened with Hugh. What kind of guy he was.”

“Does he know you were married?”

I nodded, remembering how I’d just let it all out that night on his couch.

“Does he know Hugh has passed?”

Another nod.

“And now he wants details?”

“Right.”

“How do you feel about telling him?”

This is where my emotions became mixed. “I don’t know. I want… him to know, but I don’t know if I’m ready to talk about it. I don’t think I want him to see me that vulnerable and…hurting. I don’t want to give him the power to hurt me more. Or to know what could tear me apart completely.”

Her eyes searched my face. That was something I appreciated so much about Anna, she may have no idea what was going on, but she never dug deep enough to make me spill. When I was ready to tell her, I would and until then she’d wait. I knew she had to be madly wondering who this guy was and where we met, but she wouldn’t ask until I volunteered the information on my own.

“Do you think he would do that?” She finally questioned in a gentle manner.

I wet my bottom lip and shook my head. “No.”

Her smile was a comforting one. “Then what are you waiting for?”

I mulled it over in my head; the new realizations Anna had helped me with were making my chest feel a bit lighter. “What if something happens? What if we get close and then…he’s taken away too?” I could feel tears threatening to appear in my eyes. The thought of having to go through that heartbreak and grief and all the emotions was just too much. I couldn’t do it again.

“Aww, Morgan…” she sighed and reached out, touching my shoulder. “God never gives us what we cannot handle. If you really truly could not go through something like that again then it won’t happen.

“I’m not handling it now and he did it.”

She pressed her lips together and just watched me, gathering her thoughts before speaking again.

“You’re surviving, Morgan. You’re coming through that horrible tragedy slowly, but surely. Yes, you’re going to have scars, but it really is making you a stronger person; as cliché as that sounds. What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger. And now you’re being molded and changed into this new Morgan, who can use her past experiences to help herself and those around her. You’re learning things about yourself you didn’t know, you’re learning things about people that you did not know, and you’re learning things about life in general that you did not know. Horrible things happen to people every day, but with every tragedy comes something beautiful and amazing and it may take awhile to see it, but it’s there.”

I listened to her, realizing that she was right about everything. I was left scarred and damaged, but I was a stronger person now and I was a different Morgan than before Hugh’s death. And I could take my experiences and the lessons I had learned, take the horrible tragedy and do nothing, sit on it and wallow in my misery, or I could take the situation and make the most of it, use it to help others. I wasn’t entirely sure what the beautiful thing that had come out of losing my husband was yet, but I certainly hoped I figured it out soon.

“You’re right.” My eyes met her own.

She gave a nod, keeping her tone gentle and soft, “I know. And I can tell there’s something going on with you about this guy. I don’t know him, but I know that you wouldn’t allow yourself to be involved with someone that wasn’t right for you. I say, take that blind leap of faith and go for it. Tell him what happened to you, let him know and come into your world. Let your walls down, Morgan. You may find it’s easier than you think. Besides, you may find out what you’re leaping into is more wonderful than where you jumped from.”

’It’s easier than you think.’ Her words echoed in my ears. ’What you’re leaping into is more wonderful than where you jumped from.’

Was she right?

There was only one way to find out.

Chapter Nineteen by summer
Author's Notes:
Thanks again for all the great feedback! I appreciate it so much! :) Hope you enjoy this update.

 

That night I called Alex.

“Hello?” He answered on the second ring and just the sound of his voice made my tummy flutter.

I bit my bottom lip, “Hey.”

“Hey!” Warmth filled his tone as he recognized my voice, or checked his caller ID and saw my name. “How are you?”

I was curled into the corner of my couch, legs tucked up under me and Daisy lounging at the floor close by. “I’m okay. How are you? How’s Bernie?”

“He’s managing. Had a doctor’s appointment today and he’s scheduled for surgery next week. They’re going to try to remove all the lumps they can and then we’ll take it from there.”

I gave a pout, feeling that sadness creeping in, “I’m so sorry, Alex.”

“It’s not your fault.”

“Well, I know that, but I’m sorry you have to deal with something like this.”

“I know you are. What are you doing on Wednesday?”

I smiled softly, “Sitting with you while Bernie is in surgery.”

“Thank you.” I could hear the gratefulness in his voice.

I was finding myself wanting to cuddle him and hold him close again. “You’re welcome. What time?”

“Um, he’s scheduled to go in at ten.”

“You want me to meet you there?”

“Why don’t you just come on over to my place and we can go together.”

I gave a nod and looked to where my own dog was peacefully sleeping, “I can do that.”

“Thank you.”

I peeked to the phone, “What are you doing tonight?”

“I didn’t have anything planned,” he paused, “do you want to do something?”

I gave a little shrug, Anna’s words still fresh in my mind. “I thought maybe you could come over. Have you eaten yet? I have some of those DiGiorno pizzas.”

He chuckled low, “You’re going to feed me frozen pizzas?”

“They taste like delivery.”

He laughed, “How ‘bout I come cook you something?”

I peeked to the phone, “Cook in my kitchen?”

“Unless you’d rather I cook it in someone else’s kitchen then bring it over.”

I could hear the teasing tone to his voice and chuckled, “I haven’t been to the grocery store yet so the selection is limited, but you’re more than welcome to come cook for me. You made excellent eggs and pancakes the other day.”

“I make even better lasagna or chicken parmesan.”

“How’s spaghetti?”

“That works too.” I could tell he was grinning.

I was smiling myself. “Okay, so … I’ll see you soon?”

“Sure will, babe.”

We bid our goodbyes then I hung up, gave a little sigh then fell back into the sofa. I could do this, have a nice dinner with Alex and then afterward, sit down and tell him about my past. He knew the main points anyway, so what harm could filling in the gaps do?

~*~*~*~*~

After a relaxing, and very tasty, dinner of lasagna, garlic bread and some kind of Greek salad Alex put together, we moved into the living room and sank onto the sofa. Alex had arrived an hour after our phone call. He had Bernie and a bag of groceries with him. Daisy about peed the carpet she got so excited at seeing the other dog and I had to put them both in the backyard so they didn’t knock something over in all their happy doggy galore. Alex had wanted to cook, but I insisted on helping him so together we made up the lasagna and tossed a salad. I probably hadn’t laughed more in three months then I did in the kitchen with him. He had me in stitches over little jokes and I didn’t even mind the cherry tomato food fight that ensued. It was such an easy and light hearted moment and thankfully it continued over the dinner.

Angel food cake and vanilla ice cream awaited us for later, and I was dreading having to be the one to serious up the evening. The more time I spent with this man the more I realized how good I felt during and after. I was starting to feel like my usual self again and I worried that this conversation would deplete that and make everything awkward and uncomfortable.

“Thank you again for dinner,” I smiled warmly at him as we relaxed on opposite sides of the sofa.

He flashed a friendly smile back, “You’ve thanked me about a half dozen times now.”

“I know,” I chuckled low, “and I’ll probably do it a half dozen more before you leave.”

“You’re right,” His head nodded some and I saw him gauging the space between us. “Why are you sitting way over there?”

I arched a brow, “Why are you sitting way over there?”

“Hm…I don’t know. Lemme fix that.” And then he was against me, slipping an arm up behind me and trailing his fingers along my bare arm. “That’s better, don’t you think?”

He smelled like warm spices with just a hint of tobacco. “I do think so.” I relaxed into his side and allowed his warmth to seep into me. “How do you think the dogs are doing?”

Both our eyes locked onto the patio door that I’d left open just enough for them to slip through if need be.

“They look comfy and relaxed out there,” Alex spoke as we watched the two furry friends lounging on the stone together.

I was observing the way Daisy would nuzzle at the Bermese every so often. “I think they’re in love.”

“It sure seems that way.”

“Do you think dogs can feel that?”

“What, love?”

I nodded and he stroked his fingers up, brushing them through my hair.

“Without a doubt.”

I smiled, “I think so too.”

His fingers stroked my hair. “I think they feel a lot of things that we humans feel. They may not think like we do, but I’m certain they can feel emotions.”

“I could tell Daisy was sad about Hugh’s death.”

I think my words caught him off guard. He didn’t respond right away, and though I wasn’t looking at him, I could feel his eyes turning back onto me.

“What would she do?” He finally spoke, his fingers stilling in my hair and resting on my shoulder.

“She’d lie by the front door just waiting for him. Or she’d wander around the house going from room to room looking for him.”

“It’s too bad they can’t understand things like that, isn’t it?”

I peeked a glance to his face and gave a little nod, “It really is. It was hard to see her sad and not knowing where he’d gone or why he wasn’t home.”

“She’s doing better now though, so that’s good.” He gave my shoulder a comforting squeeze.

“Yes.” My gaze returned to the two dogs relaxing outside in the night air with the glow from the patio light reflecting off their bodies.

“And how are you doing?”

My heart was starting to pound a little harder. “Some days are better than others.”

“I can imagine.”

“How do you do it?” I looked up to his face, searching his eyes for any sign of an answer.

“Do what? His brows drew together.

“You said you knew what it felt like to lose everything,” I replied with a simple shrug. “How did you move past that and get on with your life?”

He gave a sigh and his head relaxed back into the couch, his eyes closing for a brief moment. “My situation was nothing like what you’re going through.”

I wet my bottom lip and watched him, “I want to be able to enjoy life again. I want the old Morgan to come back. I want to be happy and not alone anymore.”

His eyes fluttered open and met mine and I felt a chill race down my spine. “You’re never going to be that old Morgan again, baby,” His knuckles brushed my cheek as he spoke, his voice filled with a new tenderness, “but you can get all those things you want, you just have to learn how to let go of what’s holding you back.”

I could feel my eyes growing misty. “And how do I do that?”

“By finding something new to hold on to.”

My heartbeat was pounding in my ears.

His fingers grazed my cheek again and I could just sense the air around us growing thick with that familiar electricity. “You could…try holding on to me…” As he spoke, his head moved slowly closer and closer to mine, his hand cupping my face.

“Hugh was in a car accident,” The words spilled from my mouth in a sudden manner.

Alex jerked some and pulled back, watching with a perplexed expression, “….What?”

I wet my bottom lip and fiddled with the hem of my shirt, “Hugh. He was in a car accident.”

“Oh…”

I could tell I had just thrown him for a loop with that outburst. “I’m sorry… I… I’ve wanted to tell you all night and just didn’t know how to bring it up. That’s not something that can easily be dinner conversation.”

“No, I guess not.” He ran a hand over his face then looked to me again. “Was it the car accident that…caused his death?”

“Yeah,” I whispered the word, my gaze falling to my hands in my lap.

“How’d…it happen? If you want to tell me, that is.”

My eyes lifted and met his and the hesitance and wariness that had set in suddenly dissipated. I wet my bottom lip, “It…had been raining; storming pretty badly, actually.”

He gave a little nod and I continued.

“He was driving back from New York City. He was a sportswriter.”

I paused again as the memories of that night began to replay through my mind like scenes from a movie; the phone call. The police escort to the hospital. The doctor’s face as he greeted me there in the emergency room. I knew the minute I saw that look in his eyes my Hugh was gone. I had fallen apart, dropping to my knees there on the floor and crying out for him. I don’t remember the rest of that night; how I got home, who brought me home, how long I sobbed there on the floor. I just know I woke in my room with the sun glaring me in the face.

“Morgan?” Alex touched my hand and I jerked back, returning to the present. “You don’t have to do this if you don’t want to. I don’t want you to feel like I’m forcing you to tell me.”

“No,” I shook my head and turned my hand over, taking his into mine, “I want to tell you. I want you to know.”

“Okay,” He nodded and gave my hand a comforting squeeze.

I took a moment to gather my thoughts, “He was supposed to be home by ten. He didn’t normally travel to the city, but he was doing a special assignment for his editor. I didn’t think much of it when he wasn’t back on time…he usually ran late with things and I figured he was caught up in something.”

The way Alex held my hand was giving me the strength I needed to continue. I paused, hesitated, faltered…but that warm hand gripping to mine as if he was keeping me from falling far into nothingness soothed me and spurred me on.

“I got a phone call sometime after midnight; Officer Sterling. He sent a car and they took me to the hospital.” I wet my bottom lip, “Hugh…never even had a chance. A semi jackknifed on the highway from the wet roads; he took a curve too fast.” I let my gaze drop to my lap.

“Oh, geeze…”

“Yeah.”

“Morgan, I’m so sorry.” He kissed the back of my hand then pressed it to his chest. “No one should have to go through something like that.”

“We had been married for just two years. Two years. We wanted to start a family, buy a cute little white house on a corner lot in a safe neighborhood. Take family vacations and spend Saturdays at the beach with our children.”

“Baby, I’m so sorry,” He repeated again, grasping my hand between both of his. “I don’t know what to tell you about why that happened to you or him. I don’t think things like ‘it’ll get better’ or ‘you’ll get through this’ even really matter when you’re feeling or going through something like that.” He seemed to be searching for the right words, “All I can say is that when one door closes…another one opens. You just can’t keep staring at the closed one because then you’ll miss the one that’s opening.”

I gave a little nod then used my free hand to wipe away some stray tears, “I… know. These last few days I’ve realized that I don’t… want to miss that door.”

A tiny smile tugged at his lips, “You won’t…I won’t let you.”

“I didn’t think you would,” I chuckled lowly, already feeling the weight lifting from my shoulders at having told him what had happened with my husband. “You know, ever since I met you my whole life has been thrown off balance.”

The smile grew on his face. “Oh yeah?”

“Yeah,” I nodded.

“Is that a good thing?”

“I dunno, I’m still trying to figure it out.”

He laughed and brushed some hair from my face, “I think it’s a very good thing. You needed a little shaking up.”

“I need everything to seem right again, is what I need.”

“It’ll get there, babe.” He turned my hand over and began massaging my palm. It sent shivers racing down my spine. “It’s always right in the end,” those soul stirring eyes met mine, “and if it’s not right then obviously it’s not the end.”

“Are you always this optimistic?”

His eyes dropped down to my hand. “I never used to be.”

Maybe tonight I wouldn’t be the only one sharing about their past. “What happened?”

“I was in a bad place and doing things I shouldn’t have been doing.”

I could sense he was a little guarded and didn’t really want to get into it, so I didn’t push it. “I think we’ve all done things we shouldn’t have been doing. One time I skipped school to stand in line all day for concert tickets.”

“Really? For who?” He looked to me again and I could read the thankfulness at the subject change in his eyes.

“Prince. I was sixteen and he was coming to New York. So a couple friends and I ditched school and took a train to the city.”

“Oh yeah? I didn’t realize you were a Prince fan.”

“Oh of course. Prince is probably one of the greatest artists there is.”

Alex gave a little nod, “He’s a talented guy.” He tilted his head and his fingers began tracing along my arm again. “Did you get caught?”

I shook my head, “Surprisingly, no. I didn’t get home thought until like almost nine and had to tell my mom some story about tutoring some kid after school.”

He laughed, “Did she ever find out?”

“Yeah, but not until I was in college. I think it came up one night when I was home visiting and I told her. She said she always thought it was odd that I would be tutoring someone for almost six hours after school.”

We both laughed and then a silence swept into the room. Was it one of those awkward silences? I couldn’t really tell. But I was racking my brain with what to talk about next.

“So….”

“What brought you to California?”

I shook my head, “I couldn’t stay in Connecticut anymore. Things were just too overwhelming and there were way too many memories. My family was suffocating me and I felt like I was being examined under a microscope; like every little thing I did they were scrutinizing and analyzing. I just had to get away from that.”

“I totally get that.”

“Really?” I met his eyes and felt another shiver tickling down my spine.

“Oh yeah, you feel like they’re watching your every move and judging even the littlest of things.”

“You know, someday you’re going to have to tell me your secrets.” It was starting to make me a little curious as to what things he had gone through in his life.

He kissed the top of my head. “Maybe someday I will.” Then he turned the conversation back to me, “Is that why you haven’t seen your parents in awhile?”

I gave a sigh, “Yeah.”

“What are you scared of?”

What a loaded question. I smoothed my hands on my thighs and took a little breath, “I just…I’m…I’m trying so hard to just get my life back to normal and…move past everything.”

“And you’re afraid if you see them it’s going to stir it all up again and you’ll be back where you started?”

Bingo. He hit the nail squarely on the head with that one. “I guess you could say that.”

He shifted against the couch and drew me against his chest, waiting until I was comfortable before responding, “Why do you think that would happen?”

I shrugged, “I… don’t know. It’s just this …feeling I have that when I see them… everything I’m trying so hard to build out here is going to come crashing down and I’ll be right back where I was two years ago.”

“Maybe you’re not really working past it and moving on.” He wet his bottom lip and smoothed his hand along my side. “Maybe you’re just pushing it aside or suppressing it.”

My brows drew together and I glanced up to him, “Are you my therapist or the guy I’m dating?”

His brows arched and a tiny grin played over his mouth, “Are we dating?”

I blinked some, not having meant to put that out there. Even I wasn’t entirely sure what we were. “I… guess so. I mean… I don’t know. What… are we doing?”

“Well, what do you want?”

I didn’t know what I wanted. Maybe I did, but I was afraid to admit it. At least out loud to anyone else. “I…don’t know…” The words whispered from my mouth.

His fingers smoothed along my cheek, “How ‘bout we don’t put a label on it.”

How ‘bout that sounded really good. “Okay.”

“And we take things a day at a time.” His fingers were now smoothing up into my hair.

“I like that.” So far that panic in my chest hadn’t set in.

“And whatever happens…happens. Go with the flow.” His face was inching closer to mine with each spoken word.

I could feel my heart picking up speed. “Okay.”

“Okay,” He echoed my words in a low tone.

The pulse in my neck was throbbing something awful. “Are…you going to kiss me?”

“Would you let me?” His mouth was so close I could feel the heat radiating from it.

I wet my bottom lip, “Maybe.”

“Maybe?” He cocked a brow.

“Yeah…maybe; if you don’t hurt me.”

His thumb smoothed over my cheek. “I’m not gonna hurt ya, baby. You just have to trust me.”

And so I did. And he kissed me. And it was wonderful.

Chapter Twenty by summer
Author's Notes:
Wow, thank you so much for all the wonderful reviews! Sorry this update is a little late, I was out of town. Enjoy and I can't wait to hear what ya'll think of this one.

 

The next couple days passed uneventful, yet busy for me. I was suddenly swamped at work and stayed till 9pm both Wednesday and Thursday night. I probably took on more clients than I should have, but things were just moving along so easily I thought I could handle it. And so far, I seemed to be doing well. Peter Berkins finally put an offer on his beach house and Brandon and Kaitlyn Martin had found another home they wanted to make an offer on. Picking up three new clients on Wednesday hopefully won’t have been a mistake.

I didn’t get a real chance to talk with Dianna since I had cancelled our Sunday plans. She called and left a few messages, but when I wasn’t swamped in the office, I was out in the field giving tours and trying to barter between prospective buyers and homeowners on selling prices. I had it on my to-do list to call her when I got home Friday evening. I had made a promise to myself not to stay late and try to get out of there by seven at the latest. I knew she was dying to find out about this guy that had taken precedence over her Sunday plans, and while I was still guarded with all the details, I knew I could let her in on a little bit.

I was trying not to let Alex get too far into my head at the moment. He knew I wanted to take things slow and so we hadn’t spoken since he left my place on Tuesday night. I think we both needed a few days to digest everything that was happening and forming between us and so we had agreed not to speak until this weekend. He had said it was my turn to figure out the weekend date and I hadn’t even had the opportunity to think about what I might want to do. So after my conversation with Dianna, I’d be pouring over Google and trying to come up with something he’d enjoy as much as me. Almost two years in the city and I still wasn’t sure what all there was to do.

It was Dixon Giles’ voice that pulled me back to my surroundings.

“You’ve been pretty busy lately.”

My clear blue eyes blinked and I turned to find him leaning over my desk with his hands placed squarely on the wood surface. “Wh…what um…can I help you with?” I hadn’t even heard him approach.

He gave a simple shrug. “Just taking notice of all the clients you’ve been taking on.” A pause. “You trying to win the trip to Hawaii?”

A frown settled on my features. “No, I’m just doing my job.”

“Ah.”

My eyes narrowed. “What do you want, Dixon?”

He remained hunched over my desk. “I’m going to be one of the winners. With all the work you’re taking on, maybe you’ll be the other.”

“What do you want?” I fought the urge to roll my eyes.

He seemed to lean in towards me more. “Wouldn’t that be nice? Both of us together in Hawaii?”

I arched a brow. “Why would that be nice?” Nice is the last thing it would be.

“An exotic place? The two of us? My looks, your grace…we’d be good together.”

Was he seriously coming onto me? I mean, seriously? “You’re joking right.”

He blinked, and for a split second a look of hurt passed through his eyes before quickly disappearing. “Why would I joke about that? You and me, Morgan, we’d be one of those powerhouse couples. Beauty, brains, style,” his eyes seemed to rake over me, “sensuality.”

“I hope you’re not suggesting what I think you’re suggesting, because if you are then I’m going to have to report you to Zoe,” I kept my voice calm and even, “sexual harassment is not tolerated.”

His laugh made me want to shove cotton balls into my ears. “Oh, you think this is sexual harassment?” He seemed to lean even closer to me and I recoiled back. “If you want sexual harassment, I could show you sexual harassment.”

My eyes met his without flinching at his threat. “If you don’t get out of my face and back off my desk, you’re going to wish you had never come over here.”

“Are you threatening me?” His eyes seemed to be dancing with amusement.

I wasn’t in the mood for any of his games. “Dixon, go back to your desk and leave me alone.”

“You know I’m right, baby.” He pulled back and stood straight, smoothing his shirt. “And when we get to Hawaii, you’ll finally see just how good together we are.” Then with a wink, he turned and strolled back towards his workplace.

I watched him go with utter disgust. His so-called threats had made my stomach churn and I didn’t even realize how hard I was gripping the arms of my chair until I finally flexed my fingers and found them stiff. Dixon had better not be one of those Hawaiian trip winners unless I was not one. If I did win, and that being a big if, and if I even decided to go, that being an even bigger if, Anna or someone else had better be the other ticket claimer. If it came down to me and Dixon, there’s no way I’d agree to go.

“What’s wrong?”

I looked over to find Anna next to me. She watched me then glanced off in the direction I had been looking then back to me again.

I rolled my eyes and sat up straight in my chair. “Heh, Dixon was just here going on about how good together we’d be and how he’s sure he and I will win this contest.”

“Oh whatever,” She gave a laugh, “he’s so full of hot air, you know that, Morgan. Besides, I think you and I are leading. Zoe’s gonna post a chart on the bulletin board on Monday.”

“I know he is, but it doesn’t stop the fact that he made a few rather crude and sexual comments. I have half a mind to report him to Zoe.”

“Right, and make it your word against his. There’s no proof and you know how clean a record Dixon has. You’re the newbie here.”

“What does that mean?” I frowned at her.

“Put your claws away,” She touched my shoulder, “it just means that Dixon hasn’t done anything or acted in any way to support your claims.”

“You don’t believe me?”

She sighed. “No, Morgan, that’s not what I was saying. I believe you, but as for Zoe believing you, that might be kind of hard to pull off.”

I frowned and slouched in my seat. “Why would I make something like that up?”

“Because you’re trying to get back at him for passing word around the office about what happened when he stopped by your place the other week?”

“People would seriously think that?”

A shrug. “Some might.”

I huffed and folded my arms across my chest. “Heh, whatever, but if he says or does one more thing, I won’t hesitate to report him.”

My friend squeezed my shoulder. “I think he’s just trying to get under your skin.”

“Well, it’s working.”

“You can’t let it though. He knows that and so he’s going to keep doing it.”

I sighed and tried to shrug the conversation off my mind. “Dixon just pushes my buttons in ways I can’t even describe, and not in a good way.”

“You’re going to have to figure out a way you two can co-exist without him getting on your last nerve.”

“If he would stop talking to me, I think we’d be just fine.”

“I don’t think that’s going to happen.”

I frowned at my desk, crease lines appearing on my forehead. “Then I’m going to just have to try harder to ignore him.”

~*~*~*~*~

That evening, Dianna and I lounged on my couch. She sipped on a glass of chardonnay and I googled different activities Alex and I could do on Saturday, or Sunday, whatever day we decided. I could feel her eyes on me as I scanned a webpage filled with different date ideas and glanced over the top of my notebook at her. “Hm?”

She took a sip of her wine then rested the glass on her leg, one curled up under her. “How much do you like this guy?”

I shrugged some and scratched my shoulder. “I’m not sure yet. We’re taking things very slow.”

“How slow is very slow?”

“Um,” I tilted my head, “I don’t know, just slow. We haven’t even called it …dating. We’re keeping things simple and not giving labels.”

“And he’s cool with all this?” She watched me curiously.

I nodded. “He’s amazingly cool with it. I’ve never met someone so patient and…” I searched for the words, “understanding and supportive and just…chill.”

“Wow,” she arched a brow, “you seem in very serious like of this man.”

I felt a slight blush creeping up onto my cheeks. “I do like him, but at the same time I’m scared to death.”

Dianna gave a nod before taking another sip of her wine. “That’s understandable, but you don’t want to take it too slow.”

“Whatcha mean?”

“I wouldn’t want this guy to grow impatient or lose interest because things weren’t progressing quickly enough for him.”

Pressing my lips together, I thought back on the conversations held between us and his determination that we were brought together for a reason and supposed to be together. “I don’t think that’s going to happen.”

“Good.” She smiled warmly and I returned it then went back to my task at hand.

“I’m at a total loss for what we can do this weekend.”

“Why’s that?”

I sighed and maneuvered the browser back to the Google search results. “I don’t want it to be the typical date, like dinner and a movie. I want something a little bit different.”

Dianna rose from her spot on the loveseat and sank down next to me on the sectional. “Well, what kinds of things does he like?” She peeked to the screen of my notebook.

“He likes art and movies…um water sports…” I listed off a few more things and scanned over the list of selections that had been found in my search.

“You could take him horseback riding.”

I looked at her. “Horseback riding?”

“Yeah,” she nodded and leaned forward, setting her wineglass on the coffee table, “he’s a pretty chill guy, right?”

I nodded then let her take the laptop from me and settle it in her own lap. “Yeah.”

“Maybe he’d like it. You could call and ask him.” She began typing something into the web browser.

“Ooh, I could text him.” I leaned and got my phone from the coffee table. “I hope he doesn’t think it’s stupid, cuz I love horseback riding.” Quickly I directed a text to his phone asking about the activity.

A moment later he sent one back telling me he loves horses and has gone a few times in his day.

I giggled low and showed it to Dianna. “We can do that, it’ll be perfect. Thanks.”

“Anytime, hon.” She slipped the notebook back into my lap. “Okay, here’s a place not too far from here. The owners are really great and they have some of the prettiest and most behaved horses.”

“Ooh, okay.” I looked to the screen and took note of the page, reading about a ranch nestled in the mountains with breathtaking views of the pacific and beautiful trails for the horses. “This sounds really nice.”

“Mmhmm, the owner’s a good friend of mine. I’ll give her a call in the morning and I’m sure she’ll fit you in either tomorrow or Sunday. Whatever day you decide.”

I sent my friend a grateful smile. “Thank you so much.”

“Ooh, you know what else you could do?” Her eyes widened some at her idea. “Take a picnic lunch with you. There are some nice places to spread a blanket and admire the view while you eat.”

“Ooh,” I mirrored her expression, “that’s a good idea. I could make up some sandwiches or something and pack it and we could have lunch.”

“Or you could get it from some restaurant.”

“Or he could make it.” I giggled. “He makes amazing lasagna.”

She arched a brow in a teasing manner. “Does he now? I’m sure that’s not all he’s good at.”

I blushed some, picking up on what she was hinting at. “I told you, we’re taking things slow.”

“So, he hasn’t even kissed you yet?”

I ducked my head.

“Ooh, he has!”

“A little bit.” I held up a hand, showing a little bit with my finger and thumb.

My friend’s eyes danced with merriment. “Uh huh, I bet he can’t keep his hands off you.”

“Yes he can,” I pushed some hair from my face, hoping the pink on my cheeks faded quickly, “we’ve only kissed a few times.”

“Please tell me you’ve learned his name?” She reached and picked her wine glass back up then settled into the couch next to me again.

I laughed and closed the laptop, setting it aside. “I have. It’s Alex.”

“Alex,” she mulled it over, “I like it.”

“Me too.”

Dianna watched me a moment, sipping on her wine some before speaking. “You get this little look on your face when you talk about him.”

I blinked. “I do?”

“Yeah,” she nodded, “it’s not very noticeable, but your eyes just look a little different than they normally do.”

“Is that good or bad?” I watched her warily.

“Oh, honey, it’s a very good thing. Means there’s something there.”

I couldn’t help but smile at that. “I think there just might be.”

Dianna matched my grin with one of her own. “I think so too.

~*~*~*~*~

The middle of the night my phone rang. I fumbled in the dark, trying to locate the receiver and succeeded in knocking my clock radio off onto the floor before finally grabbing it from the nightstand.

“Hello?” My voice was thick and laced with sleep.

“Morgan?” My mother’s voice flowed through my ear.

I immediately sat up, her tone instantly waking me. Something was wrong; she wouldn’t call me in the dead of night to chat. “Mom, what’s wrong?”

“Oh, honey…it’s your grandfather….”

The way she said it made my blood run cold. “What? What happened to Poppy?”

“He had a heart attack. He’s in the emergency room.”

I felt my own heart do a flip then push up into my throat. “Oh my god…”

“I called you as soon as I could.”

I threw the covers off my legs. “Do.. are… um…what do the doctors say?”

“They haven’t been out much, we’re not sure how severe it is …but I think it’s pretty bad.” Her voice was trembling and it made my eyes tear up.

“Where’s…where’s Mimi?”

“She’s here… with your father and Grayson at the moment.”

“How… how’s she doing?”

“Worried out of her mind.”

I didn’t expect any less. “Do they… how um…” my mind was racing, “what… what do I do?”

“Well…” she took a shaky breath, “everyone is here….we’re waiting on the doctor’s. I can call you later after they see us.”

I glanced to the phone, feeling guilty for the first time about being so far away. “Do you need me to come there?”

“It would take you hours to get here. Who knows what will be going on by then, how ‘bout you just sit tight and I’ll call you as soon as I know something?”

I nodded. “I can do that.” Though I had no idea how I was going to be able to function with this weighing very heavily on my mind.

“Okay, baby. I’ll call you as soon as we find something out. Try to get some sleep…I’m sorry I woke you.”

“No, mom…it’s okay. I’d want to know something like this.”

“Mmkay, baby. I love you.”

My fingers combed through my hair and I nodded. “Love you too.” Then she was gone and I slowly hung up.

I think I was in shock; I sat there in my bed another few minutes just staring ahead into the dark. Next to me, Daisy was nuzzling my side, but I didn’t seem to notice.

My grandfather, Jameson Douglas, had always been an active, loving, engaging man and the idea of him frail and stricken with something as horrible as a heart attack brought me to tears. What if he didn’t pull through? What if it led to serious heart issues? What if they weren’t able to save him?

Those thoughts, and many more, plagued me and I sank back into the covers, tugging a pillow over my head in an attempt to block them out. The tears continued to pool in my eyes and stream down my cheeks and I was reminded of the night of Hugh’s death. Suddenly I couldn’t breathe and I threw the pillow across the room, not caring that it hit my dresser and knocked things to the floor. I scrambled from the bed and pulled on my tank top, that familiar and tight pressure in my chest.

It was closing in on me and so I did the only thing I could think of, I grabbed the phone and called Dianna.

Chapter Twenty-One by summer
Author's Notes:
Tried to get this one out to you a little faster. Enjoy!

 

Dianna made up a pot of strong coffee while we waited for my mother to call back. It was going on 3am by now, but I wasn’t the least bit sleepy. It had only taken my neighbor, and friend, a few moments to get over to my place after my frantic phone call. She had helped calm me down enough so I would sit at the kitchen table, then she brewed some coffee and made me drink it. It helped; the strong, bitter taste settled my frazzled nerves and now I was just staring blankly into the mug, watching the black liquid.

Next to me, Dianna sipped from her own mug. Neither one of us spoke; the only sound the soft ticking of the clock that hung over the stove.

tick-tock

It seemed to be growing louder with each tick.

tick-

As if it was counting down to something.

-tock

Something that I simply could not face.

tick-

“Why hasn’t she called back?!” I exploded from my chair, clenching my fists so I wouldn’t rip the clock off the wall and smash it to bits.

Dianna jerked back at my outburst, setting her mug gently down on the table. “You know how doctors can be; they make you wait and wait.”

I frowned. “Do they realize how rude that is? How inconsiderate? People are on edge waiting to find out how their loved ones are doing and the doctor’s are probably out back taking a smoke break.”

“I wouldn’t go that far.” She reached and patted my chair again. “Sit, I’m sure she’ll call soon.”

“I can’t sit.” I began to pace.

“You’re pacing is gonna make me nervous.”

“Join the club.”

“Morgan,” my friend sighed and tucked her curly hair behind her ear, “getting yourself all worked up is not doing anyone any good.”

I tugged on my tank, but didn’t slow my pacing. “I don’t know what else to do. What if something happens? What if I have to fly home…” I wet my lower lip and turned toward my friend, “what if he doesn’t make it?”

There was a tremor to my voice and it made Dianna rise from her chair and move to me, taking my arm and leading me back to the table. “Whatever happens, things are going to be alright. If you have to go out there, then you’ll go out there. Whatever the case, Morgan, you are going to be okay.”

I gave a small nod and slowly sank down into the chair, turning my eyes back onto the mug of coffee in front of me.

“You’ve been through things a lot worse and you’re still standing.”

“Heh, just barely.”

“You’re finally getting yourself back on your feet, hon.”

I sighed and rubbed my face. “I don’t want to think about that right now. I just want my mom to call and tell me my grandfather is okay.”

She rubbed my arm. “She’s going to call.”

“What if he’s not okay?”

“We just have to hope and pray that he will be.”

I sighed and leaned forward, resting my face in my hands, my elbows propped up on the table.

She gave her own sigh then rubbed my back in those soothing ways only a mother could.

We fell into more heavy silence and I tried my best to push the constant tick-tock out of my head.

I don’t know how long we sat there like that. The minutes seemed to crawl by at an agonizingly slow pace, but neither of us moved. The ticking of the clock almost seemed comforting by now and any other noise that may spring up would surely break the spell that had settled over us.

When the phone rang, my heart dropped into my toes.

It rang a second time and I just stared at it.

“Answer it,” My friend prodded, nudging my leg.

It rang a third time.

“Oh geeze…” Rubbing my hands on my legs, I slowly stood and moved to the phone, my heartbeat echoing in my ears. Slowly, I lifted the receiver and held it to my ear, praying my legs held me up if my mother brought bad news. “Hello?” The words caught in my throat and I had to force them out.

“Baby….”

The tone in her voice told me exactly what I needed to know; and it wasn’t good. “…. Mom...”

“He’s not doing good, baby….” She sounded like she had been crying.

I fought back my tears. “What… is… what…” I couldn’t even formulate a sentence.

“The heart attack damaged his coronary arteries,” her voice wavered and I bit my lip harder to hold back the tears. “Right now they’re trying to decide if they think he’s strong enough to do bypass surgery.”

“Oh God…” I brought a hand to my mouth.

“He’s not good, Morgan. They don’t know if he’d even survive the surgery. He’s so frail and weak; right now he’s sedated to keep his pain at minimal.”

“Mom….” Tears began to spill down my cheeks.

“You um…” she hesitated, “you should probably come home.”

I could feel the sob in my chest and bit the palm of my hand, trying to squelch it.

Just then, Dianna appeared at my side and pried the phone from my fingers, taking it and speaking to my mother.

I didn’t hear what she said, my mother’s words were bouncing around in my head and I was trying not to lose it and become a blubbery mess.

They spoke for awhile and then Dianna hung up and moved to my side, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. “Okay, c’mon on, honey. We’re going to get you packed and onto a flight to Connecticut.”

I gave a nod and allowed her to steer me up the steps then into my bedroom. Rather I really wanted to or not, I was going back home. Home to a place I had tried so hard to forget. It was beckoning me, and I was coming.

~*~*~*~*~

I arrived at the Bradley International Airport just outside of Hartford, Connecticut that evening. My travels had taken me from the Los Angeles airport to Chicago O’Hare then finally on to Bradley International. My plane touched down at 7:08pm and I departed the cabin, making a pit stop on the restroom before continuing on to baggage claim.

Dianna had helped me pack a couple suitcases then called and arranged for a flight. She then took Daisy on over to her place to watch her while I was gone, promising to take the best care of her. Afterward, she drove me to the airport and made sure I knew what gate to go to before we finally parted ways. At times, she was like a mother hen. But this was one of those times I needed that from her.

She had said Grayson would be picking me up and he’d meet me in baggage claim.

I was a ball of nerves, not just for my grandfather, who I hoped was still alive so I could see him, but to just see my family again. I didn’t know what to expect, or how it was going to make me feel. The last thing I wanted was to be sent spiraling back in my recovery process. One step forward, two steps back. Things had been going so smoothly with Alex and it really scared me to think I’d eventually get back to LA and be right back where I was when I’d first met him.

Speaking of Alex. We had a horseback riding date for Sunday and now I wouldn’t be there. I hadn’t even gotten to call him today. I was going to have to make sure I did before tomorrow came and he thought I’d stood him up.

Trying to make sure that was a mental note I didn’t forget, I stepped off the escalator and into baggage claim, that innate feeling of fear immediately setting back in. Would I even recognize my own brother? Would he recognize me? Had we changed that much in two years? With those thoughts, and more, swimming in my head, I scanned the area, moving around a few groups of people and searching for Grayson.

“Morgan?”

It came from behind me and my shoulders stiffened just slightly. I’d recognize his voice anywhere. Taking a little breath, and trying to calm the nerves in my tummy, I slowly turned to face my brother.

He still looked the same as he did two years ago, maybe just a slight bit older. At 33, he was a handsome man with a full head of thick blond hair and sparkling, clear blue eyes. He was tall, about six feet, with a swimmer’s body and tanned skin he’d had to have acquired in a tanning bed. My brother was way too busy to spend the day at the beach. It half surprised me that he had taken today off to be with my parents and grandparents.

“How are you?” He stood with his hands shoved into the pockets of a pair of designer jeans.

I shifted my tote bag on my shoulder and gave a little nod. “I’m okay… how are you?” I was debating on rather or not we should hug. I didn’t know if he’d want to and I didn’t want to go in for one and have him rebuke it. Besides, Grayson was never the hugging type and I didn’t even know where we stood relationship wise.

He gave a shrug. “I’m alright.” A pause. “It’s good to see you again. You look good.”

“Thanks,” I smoothed my shirt some, tugging it down a little, “so do you.”

He flashed a grin and showed off his pearly white teeth. “Thank you.”

I nodded some and shifted my bag again. “You’re welcome.”

“Here, lemme take that.” He reached and slid the bag off my shoulder. “How was your flight?”

“Um, a little bumpy, but nothing I couldn’t handle.” I slipped my hands into the back pockets of my jeans and together we turned and headed for the carousel my luggage would be arriving at. “It was really long though.”

“Yeah, it usually is when you fly across the country.”

I nodded, stopping just before the conveyer belt. “So, um… how’s Poppy?”

Grayson gave a heavy sigh and ran a hand through his perfectly manicured hair. “They’re still waiting to see if he stabilizes a little more before deciding on the surgery.”

“Geeze…” I pouted and rubbed my face, “how’s Mimi doing?”

“She could be a lot better.” His sparkling eyes met my own before looking back to the carousel when the belt started to move and a beeping sounded, signaling the bags were about to come from the chute.

I rubbed my eyes, already feeling exhausted from the long flight, the time change and the emotional take my Poppy’s situation was having on me. “Do they think he’ll make it?”

“It’s hard to tell.”

“The doctor’s haven’t said?”

“No,” my brother shook his head, shoving his hands into his pockets again, “all they have said is that they need his condition to stabilize a little more before they’d suggest a bypass. They won’t tell us if they think he’ll pull through or not.”

I needed a subject change. “How’s Candace? I hear she got a huge promotion.”

“Yeah, she did, she’s really excited.” A smile lit up his face at the mention of her name and it made me a tad jealous that I had lost what he had.

“Good, I’m glad for her. I hear you two are moving to Arizona.”

“Yeah, we are.”

“You won’t be too far from me.”

He scratched his head. “Once we get settled you could come visit.”

I nodded some and watched as the luggage began to appear, keeping an eye out for my two pieces. “Yeah, that’d be nice.” I didn’t know if it was just formalities or if either of us really wanted to visit the other, but it sounded strange the small talk we were making. I hoped it wasn’t this uncomfortable with my parents.

We struggled through, however, and after collecting my bags, Grayson loaded them into his silver BMW and we were off, heading towards Coventry, Connecticut; my hometown.

“How’s Mom doing?” I brought the subject back around to the situation at hand as we sailed down I-91.

Grayson’s eyes never left the road. “She’s taking it hard, but trying to be strong for Mimi. You know how she is.”

I did and I nodded in understanding. “Is she…nervous about me being here?”

He looked to me at that. “What would make you think that?”

“I…dunno…” I shrugged, “because I haven’t seen her since I left; or even been back home.”

His hands flexed on the steering wheel. “She is glad you’re coming back.”

“They aren’t mad, are they?” I could feel my heart knocking away at my chest.

“No,” he shook his head, “they aren’t mad. They were a little hurt, but they aren’t mad at you.” He checked his blind spot then merged lanes. “Though, I think Mom’s forgotten most of that with what’s going on with Poppy and I know she’s just glad you’re coming home.”

I let out a breath of air and tucked some hair behind my ear. “Good.”

“It’s only been a year and a half, Morgan; not that much can change in a year and a half.”

I looked to him. “You’d be surprised how quickly things can change.”

He shrugged some, watching the road ahead. “I guess overall they don’t.”

I didn’t want to talk about this anymore. “So, is everyone at the hospital? Is that where you’re taking me?”

Grayson glanced over to the clock on his radio. “Mom should be there still, but Dad took Mimi back home. She needed her rest. You’ll probably get to see her tomorrow.”

“Where are you staying?” My brother lived in New York City, which was a good couple hours from Coventry.

“At the house, one of the guest rooms.”

“Ooh,” I nodded some then looked to my tote as a soft chime sounded; I had a text. Pulling my bag closer, I slipped my phone out and saw Alex’s name across the screen. A soft smile touched my lips and I pushed a button to open the text.

When r we making plans? Horses on Sunday? What r u doin 4 din din?

Immediately, I had a bit of sadness push through me at not being able to keep our horseback riding date. Pushing some hair from my face, I hit reply and quickly typed back a response.

Something came up :( I can’t make it this weekend. I’ll call u 2nite or 2morrow. I’m sorry :(

Hitting send, I closed my phone and slipped it back into my bag, my brother having fallen silent and just driving along.

It didn’t take us long to get into Coventry and the minute I was back in familiar surroundings, a sense of nostalgia washed over me. I just watched out the window as he steered us down familiar tree-lined streets that would take us to the Windham Community Memorial Hospital. I remembered the summer’s we’d play baseball in the street, how we’d ride our bikes all over town, Popsicle grins and tree houses built in the backyard. This was a place where neighbors watched out for neighbors, high school sweethearts married, and main street was in fact truly called Main Street.

It was dark, the sun having set about an hour ago, but I could still make out the high school as we passed, Bob’s Grocer, where I worked for two summers during high school, the lake where Hugh had proposed and the church we were married in. I felt a lump forming in my throat as the memory of our wedding and life together played before my eyes. Blinking back the tears, I tore my gaze from the building and watched out the other side of the car.

“You okay?”

Grayson’s voice floated over to me and I turned to look at him.

“Yeah.”

He glanced to me as he slowed for a stop sign. “You sure?” He wet his bottom lip. “I know it’s probably a little hard being back here since…everything.”

I nodded and cleared my throat, wiping under my eyes. “It is, but I’ll be okay.”

He gave a little nod and we started through the intersection. “So, how’s LA treating you?”

“Really good; it’s so beautiful out there and I have this amazing view of the ocean right from my backyard.”

“Wow, that must be nice.” He looked to me before turning his eyes back to the road.

I nodded and settled back more into the seat. “It is. It’s so relaxing and just… really good for me.”

“Good, I’m glad.” I could hear the warmth in his tone. “How’s the job going? Real estate, Mom says.”

“Yeah, and it’s actually really successful. I think I’ve sold like…six or seven houses in the last month or two.”

“Wow,” my brother arched his brows, “good for you, Morgan.”

“Thank you.”

He looked at me. “I mean that. You’ve had it rough, you deserve something good.”

My mind instantly thought of Alex and I had to grin. “Well, I think I’m finally starting to find whatever it is.”

“Good.” He made a turn and soon we were pulling into the hospital parking lot.

Suddenly my nerves were all aflutter and my heart was beating twice as fast. Saying a little prayer, I unbuckled and slowly climbed from the car, surveying the hospital before me. This was it. I was going to see my Poppy and find out just how terrible his situation was. And even more nerve-wracking; I was going to finally come face to face with my mother.

Oy vey.

Chapter Twenty-Two by summer
Author's Notes:
Thanks again to everyone who's reviewed! Means a lot!

 

The smells of antiseptic, alcohol and cleaning supplies filled my senses as Grayson and I made our way down the corridor, heading towards ICU. I always hated the smell; like they were trying to mask another scent, something so ominous it took bleach and ammonia to cover up. But it was still there, it lingered in doorways, on passing doctor’s scrubs, in the waiting room with the anxious loved ones. Death. I wondered if I was the only one that could pick it up. Was it only those who had been jaded by the very thing itself; those that had loved strongly and lost? Rather it be a parent, a child, a best friend or a spouse. Had the doctor’s become so immune it was like second nature to them?

Those questions, and more, plagued my mind and tried to distract me from what was about to occur. But I was still nervous. My palms were sweaty, my heart was pounding hard against my ribcage and my chest was heaving in short, quick breaths. It was uncanny to feel this way, but having to come face to face with a past I was trying so hard to leave behind before I’m ready for it, was close to giving me an anxiety attack. Why oh why hadn’t Dianna come with me?

“Morgan? Are you okay?”

Grayson spoke from beside me and I looked to him, a heavy weight in my stomach. “Just nervous.”

He reached over and squeezed my shoulder. “It’s gonna be okay.”

My head nodded slightly. “I hope so.”

He watched me a moment before turning and pushing the button located next to the secured doors that led into the ICU. They kept it secured and monitored with video camera, only allowing family members and close friends in to see the patients. In order to gain access, you had to be put on a list and check in at the nurse’s station.

I was new, but they were familiar with Grayson and we were buzzed in through the doors. I signed my name on the check-in sheet and Grayson followed suit.

“My goodness, you have got to be Miriam Huntley’s daughter,” A plump, middle aged woman with tight dark haired curls and thin wire framed glasses perched on her nose said, looking up from her computer. She wore a pair of scrubs with little Snoopies dotting them and her name tag read Nurse Clayton.

I blinked. “Excuse me?”

“You look just like your mother.” She shook her head and pushed her glasses farther up her nose, peering at me through them. “Yes, you sure do. And I’ve only known her a few hours.”

I looked to my brother.

“Um, yes Ma’am; this is my sister.” Grayson slipped his arm around me and rested it on my shoulders. “I just picked her up from the airport.”

“Ooh, where’d you fly in from, Honey?”

“California.”

“California? My goodness, that’s a long ways away.”

“Yeah, it was a long flight, I’m pretty tired.”

“Ooh,” she sat a little straighter, “I won’t keep you. Go on in.” With a wave, she motioned towards the doors of the different rooms that lined the hallway.

“Um, thank you…” I nodded and reached up, tucking some hair behind my ear. Maybe I should just wait out here, Grayson could go in and bid them goodnight then we could leave. And I could go to a hotel. I knew I wasn’t ready to face my mother yet. Just thinking about it made me a ball of nerves.

“Morgan?”

I blinked and looked over to find my brother standing outside of a door, looking at me like he wasn’t too sure what to make of me.

“Oh, sorry.” I scurried to his side, tugging on the hem of my shirt.

He studied me carefully. “Are you sure you want to go in here?”

I didn’t think I did; but did I have a choice? Though before I could voice that thought, the door was pulled open from the inside and my mother appeared in the doorway.

“Morgan…” She spoke my name out in a tone just above a whisper.

I felt my heart leap into my throat as our eyes met. She was still beautiful with her blonde hair and blue eyes and in that moment I realized that we did look alike. She hadn’t changed drastically in the 18 months since I’d last seen her, except that at the moment her hair was falling from the clasp keeping it in place and her eyes looked exhausted. The situation with my grandfather was really taking its toll on her. I felt that pull on me and tears began to well in my eyes. “Hi, Mama.”

“Oh, Sweetheart.” and then she was engulfing me in a hug; tight and secure and in a way only a mother could do.

That was all it took for the flood gates to open and the tears to flow freely. My arms wrapped around her and I held to her tight, pressing my face against her shoulder and just sobbing. I cried for her grief, for my grandfather’s pain, for having stayed away for so long, for the loss of my husband; for it all. And she just held me.

Finally, she pulled back and smoothed a hand over my cheek, looking at me like she was memorizing my features and disbelieving that I was really there before her.

I sniffed and had to take a breath before I could speak, “I…I’m really here, Mama…” It came out in a tremble.

“I know, baby, and I’m so glad; so, so glad.” She cupped my face and kissed my forehead, her own eyes pooling with tears. “You look so beautiful.”

I gave a small laugh and stood right as she finally released me. “I’m a hot mess.”

“A hot, beautiful mess.” She wiped just under her eyes and looked me over. “Have you lost weight?”

“A little bit.”

“Honey…” she sighed and gave my hand a squeeze, shaking her head, “it doesn’t matter. You’re here, that’s all that counts.”

“That’s right,” Grayson finally spoke up. He peered around our mom and into the room. “How’s Poppy doing?”

Something flickered in her eyes and it matched the tone of her voice, “He’s not doing well.”

“Wha…um,” my fingers were fiddling with the hem of my shirt once more, “can they operate?”

“They aren’t sure.” Her shoulders sagged and she rubbed her forehead before straightening up again. “Would you like to see him?”

My eyes darted towards the room and I could feel my heart kicking it up a notch. “Yeah…”

“He doesn’t look like his usual self,” she warned before squeezing my hand and leading me into the room.

I had already figured that, but I wasn’t prepared for just how different he was. He lay there with his eyes closed, looking like he could quickly become lost in the bed that surrounded him. His skin was ashen with a slight, yellowish tinge around his eyes and mouth. He didn’t look anything like the man I remember; more like just a fragment of him. He was thin and frail and was attached to more wires and tubes then I could even figure what they were for. The only way I could tell he wasn’t already gone from this world was the slight rise and fall of the blanket that covered his chest.

Seeing him like that made my eyes sting and a sharp pain appear in my chest. “Ooh… ooh no…” The words slipped out and I brought a hand up, covering my mouth.

“I know, baby,” my mom wrapped her arm around my shoulders, “it’s hard.”

I just nodded, fearing my voice wouldn’t hold.

“Do they still have him sedated?” Grayson moved around to the other side of the bed.

“They do. They tried to bring him out of it earlier, but he was just in too much pain.”

I wanted to crumble to the floor and weep; my Poppy lay in the bed looking nothing like the strong, vibrant and loving man that he truly was. He looked like he was one step away from death; already fighting with it and trying to hold tight. It made my heart break and I moved to his side, reaching out and gripping his hand with both of mine. “Poppy…” I choked out.

My mom came up beside me, her hand smoothing on my back.

“Poppy…” I muttered again, lifting his hand and kissing the back of it. My vision swam and I held his frail hand to my cheek. “I’m so sorry, Poppy… I’m so sorry.”

Beside me, my mom slipped her arm around my waist.

“He…he doesn’t…this…” I couldn’t even formulate a sentence and had to squeeze my eyes shut tight to keep the tears from taking over.

“I know,” Her voice cracked.

I used one hand to wipe my face. “Why…did this happen?”

“I dunno, baby.” She rubbed my back in a soothing gesture.

“This isn’t fair!”

“I know it’s not.” My mom reached out and grabbed my hand. “I know it’s not.”

“Why does this keep happening to us?” My teary eyes searched her face for some kind of answer.

But she didn’t have one and I had to turn away, crossing the room and stopping at the window.

“Morgan.” I could hear her just behind me.

I wiped my cheeks with a hand and sniffed. “What?”

“I know this is hard; it’s hard for me too.”

I didn’t turn around.

“We just have to do what we can and pray for the best.”

My head dropped and I covered my eyes with a hand. I could feel the hot tears behind my lids threatening to escape and did my best to keep them at bay.

“Baby.” She touched my shoulder.

I shook my head, not wanting to hear any words of comfort.

“Would you like Grayson to take you back to the house?”

I finally turned to face her. “You..are… you coming home?”

“You should,” my brother spoke up before she had a chance to reply.

We both looked to him.

“You’ve been here all day, Mom. You need to go home and eat, take a shower…get some rest.”

“Grayson-”

He interrupted her, “You need a break from this place.”

“I can’t leave my father.”

“I’ll stay.”

That surprised me and my brows lifted.

I think it shocked our mother too because she closed her mouth, sizing him up. Finally, she gave a defeated sigh and nodded. “Alright.”

“Good. And I mean that when I say, get some rest.”

I watched as she made her way to the bed and took her father’s hand, leaning over some and speaking softly to his sleeping form. Suddenly, I turned to my brother. “My things are in your car.”

“You guys can take my car. I’ll bring Mom’s home.” He fished into his pocket for his keys.

I accepted them and then passed them to my mother after she hugged her son goodbye. He promised to call if anything changed and said he would be by in the morning. Then he gave me a friendly hug and rubbed my head, telling me to get some sleep myself. I nodded and bid my goodbyes before following my mother out of the room and towards the elevators.

We were relatively quiet as we made our way out of the hospital and across the parking lot to Grayson’s vehicle. Once inside, I settled back into the seat and my mom started the car, putting it into gear and pulling from the spot.

Neither of us spoke for the first few miles, both lost in our own thoughts. Finally, we slowed for a traffic light and my mom looked over to me.

“Thank you for coming.”

I was pulled from the dark reverie of the hospital room and turned to her. “Oh, you’re welcome.”

“I know how hard it was for you to do.”

A nod. “Yeah.”

“Your father is probably waiting up.”

My eyes drifted to the time on the dashboard and I realized it was a lot later than it felt; 9:38pm. Only 6:38 in California and I was still on Cali time; though I was exhausted from the long and emotional day. “Is he glad I’m here?”

She reached over and squeezed my arm. “He’s very glad.”

I had to smile at that. “I was worried you’d be upset.”

“Because you came home?”

“No,” I shook my head, “because it took me so long to do so.”

“Oh.” she pursed her lips and glanced towards the front again, staring at the bright red of the traffic light. “We don’t have to talk about that right now.”

But I knew it was coming eventually. “Right.”

“We’ll get home and get cleaned up then get some food. Are you hungry?”

“Not really. Are you?”

She chuckled low. “No.”

I nodded then stifled a yawn. “I’m pretty tired.”

“I bet you are.” The light changed to green and we accelerated through the intersection. “When we get back you can go on straight to bed; get some rest.”

I sent her a sideways glance. “Are you going to be able to get some sleep?”

She gave a heavy sigh and shrugged. “I don’t know.”

“I have some Ambien CR. I could give you one.”

“You have sleeping pills?” She looked to me with an arched brow.

I shrugged. “I’ve been having trouble sleeping.” I wasn’t about to tell her about the nightmares.

“Oh,” she turned back to the road, “I just might take you up on that.”

I nodded and the rest of the ride was in silence, each of us lost again in our own thoughts.

Soon we pulled up to a white, two-story colonial with a vast yard and three-car garage. I had grown up in this house and my eyes darted up to the corner window that my old bedroom lay behind. A white trellis with winding rose bushes was directly beneath and I remembered the one summer my first serious boyfriend had convinced me to sneak out my window and climb down the trellis to meet him. I ended up with a sprained wrist and grounded for a week. We broke up soon after and my parents had to replace one of the rose bushes.

“Here we are,” My mother announced as she parked in front of the garage and pulled the keys from the ignition.

I glanced to her, feeling the nerves starting up again at the thought of seeing my father.

She watched me a moment then reached over and touched my cheek. “He is going to be happy to see you.”

“He won’t lecture me?”

“Not tonight.”

“Tomorrow?”

“Maybe,” she reached for her buckle, releasing it and pushing it from her shoulder, “but I won’t let him get too harsh.”

“Thanks, Mom,” I spoke the words with a grin, knowing she was teasing.

She chuckled and together we climbed from the car, collecting my luggage and heading up to the house.

My dad had the door open and was out on the porch wrapping me in a hug before I could even blink.

“Morgan!” His voice boomed and he lifted me from the ground, squeezing me tight.

“Uh, hi, Dad,” I managed out, feeling the air escaping my lungs from his hug.

“Neil, put her down you’re going to hurt her,” My mother lectured, “and you’re letting bugs into the house. Let’s get inside before any more mosquitoes do.”

He obliged and set me on my feet, firmly taking hold of my shoulders and leaning me back some to look me over. “Look at you, my beautiful daughter.” Then he directed me towards the front door. “Go on inside, I got the bags.”

I thanked him and stepped into the house, the familiar scents of being home filled me and I gave a sigh, surveying the scene and realizing not that much had changed. The foyer was the same, the décor and color on the walls, the Oriental rug across the wooden floor. It was all the same as it had been a year and a half ago.

My parents came in behind me and my dad lifted the luggage so he could carry it up the stairs. “I’ll take these upstairs; they’ll be in your old room. We’ve got it all set up for you.”

“Oh,” I looked to him, nodding my head and setting my tote to the side, “okay, thank you.”

He flashed a warm smile at me. “Anything for you, honey.”

I nodded and watched him go before turning to my mother. “He’s getting gray around the edges.” His chestnut brown hair was still full, but graying slightly around the ears.

She chuckled then slipped her arm around me and guided me towards the living room. “Yes, he is. He refuses to color it.”

“Makes him look more distinguished.” My eyes scanned the living room, noting they had gotten a new sectional and end tables.

“That’s what he says.” She sank down onto the new piece of furniture with me. “Are you sure you’re not hungry? When did you eat last?”

“Um, they fed us a meal on the plane.”

“Oh, okay.” She gave a nod and fiddled with the silver chain around her neck.

I watched her a moment then surveyed the room once more, cringing at the wedding portrait of myself and Hugh that my mother still had on the mantle.

She must have sensed it because she spoke up, “Oh, um, I…haven’t taken it down yet. You just…look so beautiful and I can’t bear to take it down.”

I nodded and smoothed my shirt. “It’s um…okay.”

“It’s hard, I know.” She reached over and squeezed my arm.

She really didn’t know, but I didn’t go there with her. “Yeah.”

“Alright, your bags are in your room,” My father announced as he entered into the living room.

I smiled at him. “Thank you, Daddy.”

“You’re welcome, Princess.” He winked at me and sank down into an oversized chair. “How was your flight?”

“Long.” I sighed and slouched into the sofa, stretching my legs out. “I was seated next to this woman who would not shut up. She kept talking about all this stuff like she expected me to know the people and understand.”

My father laughed low. “Some people can talk to anyone about anything.”

“She was definitely one of those.”

That made my parents chuckle.

“So, Grayson called and let me know that he’s going to be staying the night with Poppy,” dad spoke, changing the subject to something a bit more pertinent to our family.

“Yes, he sent me home.”

My dad nodded and looked at my mother. “Good, you have been up since 3am and you’re running on fumes. You know I didn’t want you staying there all night, Sweetheart.”

I saw the look exchanged between my parents and took it as my cue to exit stage left. “Um, I’m just gonna get a glass of water.” I rose from the couch and tugged my shirt down some around my midriff. “Do either of you want anything?”

“No, thank you,” my mom replied and my dad shook his head, echoing her.

I gave a nod then strolled from the living room and down the hall into the kitchen. It looked the same as always and I selected a glass from the cabinet, filling it with ice and then water out of the door of the fridge.

I stood there a moment sipping the cold beverage and let my eyes wander the different photos and memos that had been stuck to the fridge; there was a note about a hair appointment for my mother, a message from my dad to her about where he was the other day while she was out, some pictures of them with a few close friends, one of me taken just after my honeymoon, one of my brother and Candace they used for a Christmas card last year and one of my mimi and poppy.

Seeing his smiling face and lively blue eyes made my throat close up and tears began filling my eyes. This could not be happening to him, or to us. Tomorrow I had to go see my mimi. I needed to just hug her and make sure she was being taken care of and didn’t need anything. I knew what it felt like to lose a husband; I could only imagine the grief she had to be going through after nearly 50 years of marriage and three children.

Giving a sigh, I wiped some fresh tears from my eyes then stood straight again. I think it was time to call it a night. I’d go bid goodnight to my parents then head on up to my room. I was exhausted and knew it was going to be an early morning. And I still wanted to call Alex.

Taking my glass with me, I headed back for the living room. So far things seemed to be going okay; I had made it past the first hurdle smoothly, but I was nowhere near the homestretch.

Chapter Twenty-Three by summer

I was finally in the guestroom; showered, teeth brushed and clad in some pink pajama pants and a plain white tee. I had bid my parents goodnight then gathered my bathroom items and taken a nice, hot shower. The water was relaxing and had soothed my muscles, calming me some. After my nightly routine of lotion, moisturizer, a toothbrush and hairbrush, I was now curled up in the lounge chair in the bedroom. It was nearly 11 o’clock in Connecticut which meant only going on eight back in California. I wasn’t sure what Alex would be doing, but hopefully he’d be able to spare a few moments. I still felt a little guilty about not being able to keep our date though I was sure he would understand.

Directing my cell phone to call his number, I settled into the back of the chair and listened to the rings.

He answered on the third.

“Hello?”

I wet my bottom lip and smoothed my shirt some. “Hey.”

“Hey. How are you?” His voice seemed to soften a little.

I glanced around at my surroundings. “I’m…okay, how are you?”

“I’m doing alright. Is everything okay with you? I got your text.”

“Um…” I felt nervous and couldn’t explain why, “not really.”

“What’s wrong? Did I do something? I was going to text you back earlier, but thought I’d wait a bit and see if you called me.”

I shook my head. “No, it’s not you, Alex, you’re just fine. It’s um…my poppy…”

“Your poppy?”

“Yeah,” I could hear the tremble in my voice, “my grandfather; he had a heart attack last night.”

There was a second of silence before he spoke again, “Oh no, Morgan….”

I was fighting to keep my voice from breaking, “Yeah, he’s… he’s not good. I…I’m in Connecticut.”

“Well, yeah, Baby, you should be. Do you need anything?”

“Nothing that you can do from there.”

There was a heavy sigh over the line. “I’m so sorry, Morgan.”

I could hear the anguish in his voice and it made tears prick my eyes. “They don’t know if he’ll pull through. What am I gonna do?” It felt like someone was trying to rip all of my scars wide open.

“Shh, Baby, don’t cry. I know it’s hard; I know. I’ve been there. And nothing anyone says helps.”

“No,” I shook my head and wiped at my eyes, “it really doesn’t.”

“What hospital is he at?”

I reached over to the nightstand and grabbed a tissue from the box that sat there. “Um, Windham Community Memorial Hospital.”

“I bet they have really great doctors.”

I gave a nod and then suddenly remembered something. “Ooh no…”

“What?”

“Bernie’s surgery. I won’t be able to be there with you… ooh no, I’m so sorry…” Suddenly I felt worse and the tears wouldn’t stop.

“Ooh, Baby, you don’t even need to worry about that, right now. It’s okay; you need to be where you’re at. I have other people who can go with me.”

“I…I know, b..b…but I …you…” my shoulders shook and I pressed the tissue to my eyes, “you need me…”

“Not as much as your family does right now, or your poppy. Or as much as you need to be right where you’re at.”

I was surprised he could understand my words through my tears. I wiped my eyes and took a breath, trying to calm myself some. “Are you mad?”

“Why would I be mad? No, Morgan, I’m not mad.”

“I dunno when I’m going to be home.”

“That’s okay, take your time. I’ll still be here when you get back.”

I could hear the smile in his voice and that made me smile as well. “Good.”

He chuckled low. “Will you still call me?”

“Of course,” I balled the tissue up and set it aside, grabbing another, “will you call me?”

“I could call you so many times you’ll be sick of me.”

That made me chuckle. “I’d never get sick of you.”

“Oh, you just wait.”

I laughed a little more. “I think if I was gonna get sick of you, it’d have already happened. You’re so persistent and you don’t give up.”

He laughed. “I wore you down, huh?”

“Mmhmm.” I stifled a yawn and rubbed my eyes.

“Are you tired, Baby?”

“Yes, but I’m not ready to hang up yet.”

“Neither am I.”

I smiled softly. “What did you do today?”

“I hit up The Grove and did some serious shopping.”

“I love shopping. What’d you buy?”

“Things I probably shouldn’t have,” he chuckled low, “but um, I got some new shirts and jeans…a couple new hats, some more shades ooh and some shoes.”

“That’s a lotta shopping. Lately, I’ve been buying things that I don’t even know when I’ll wear.”

His grin was evident over the line. “You’ll just have to find somewhere to wear them at.”

“Yeah,” I peeked to the phone, “what are you going to do tomorrow?”

“Probably go out on one of my friend’s boats. He called me earlier and invited me.”

“That sounds really nice. I hope you have a good time.”

“I’m sure I will, though I don’t think it’ll be as much fun as going horseback riding with you would have been.”

I chuckled. “Are you trying to get points?”

“Is it working?”

I tried to hide the smile that wanted to grow. “Maybe.”

“Hmm, better than a no; I’ll take it.”

I giggled low and we chatted for a few minutes longer, just making simple small talk which helped to keep my mind of things. Finally though, we had to hang up and after I climbed into the bed and switched the lamp off, darkness invading the room, everything that was going on came back and I pulled the covers over my head. It was going to be a long night.

~*~*~*~*~

I was more tired than I realized and was asleep in minutes and I didn’t move until morning when the sun hit me square in the face. I gave a groan and buried my head under the pillow for a moment before remembering where I was. Then I quickly pushed the blankets off and sat up, smoothing my hair and rubbing the sleep from my eyes. The clock on the dresser read 9:22am and I wondered if that was right. How come no one had woken me up earlier? I was sure they would have wanted to be back up to the hospital well before ten.

Those questions still in my head, I slipped from the bed and gathered some jeans and a clean shirt, then I crossed the hall to the bathroom and took a quick shower before drying my hair, brushing my teeth and getting dressed. I did a light bit of makeup, hoping it would help me look better than I felt, then finally put my belongings away and made my way downstairs.

I could smell the food cooking well before I entered into the kitchen to find my dad and mimi sitting at the breakfast table enjoying English muffins, fresh fruit and coffee.

The minute I laid eyes on my formerly raven haired grandmother my eyes grew misty. “Mimi…” I choked out.

She looked up from her coffee and my bright eyes met her sapphire colored, crystal clear eyes. “Morgan.”

I was across the room before she even stood and enveloped her in a loving, firm hug. “Mimi, you’re here. How are you? I’ve missed you. You look great! Are you okay? Do you need anything? Why aren’t you at the hospital?” I rattled the questions off without a pause as her thin arms held me close.

“Goodness, Child,” she chuckled and pulled back, smoothing a hand on my cheek, “one question at a time, but let me get a good look at you.” Then she took a step back and looked me over, turning my hips side to side like she was scrutinizing me. “You’ve lost weight, but you’re a lot tanner then last time I saw you.”

“Yeah, I’ve been getting outside more.”

She smiled then kissed my cheek. “You need a good, healthy breakfast.”

“You sound like my mother.” I chuckled then looked over to my dad as he rose from his seat, telling me he’d make me up an English muffin. Mimi directed me to a chair and nudged me into it before taking her own seat.

“I’m glad you’re here, Morgan.” Her dainty hand reached over and squeezed my arm. “We’ve all missed you so much.”

A few tears dotted my eyes. “I know. I’ve missed you guys, too.”

“You can’t stay away for so long, my dear.”

“I know…” I fiddled with a napkin there on the table then glanced over to my dad, clearing my throat some. “So, um, where’s Mom?”

“She took your brother’s car back to him at the hospital,” he replied as he put an English muffin into the toaster.

“That sweet Grayson stayed all night with your grandfather.” My mimi sighed and shook her head some, a forlorn expression covering her face.

I reached over and squeezed her hand. “Mimi, you look so good.”

“Oh, well, thank you,” she touched the still beautiful skin of her cheek and smiled, “I got a new face cream.”

I smiled, leaned over and kissed her cheek.

“We were going to wake you in a little bit if you didn’t get up on your own,” my father explained as he set the different types of jellies next to me on the table. “After you eat, we’ll three head on up to see your poppy.”

I gave a nod and selected the raspberry jam from the variety of choices my father had provided me with. “Is Grayson going to come back here?”

“Yeah, his stuff is here and he’s too tired to drive back to New York right now. He’ll probably head back this afternoon or sometime tomorrow morning.”

I glanced over to my father. “He’s not going to stay?”

“He has his job to get back to, Sweetheart.” He plucked my English muffin from the toaster and dropped it onto a small plate.

Speaking of jobs, I had to remember to call Zoe tomorrow morning and let her know what was going on. Hopefully she could get in touch with my clients and either pass their appointments off to someone else or reschedule them.

“He’ll probably be back out here Friday evening.” He set the plate down in front of me. “Do you want any fruit? Toast? Coffee?”

“Just coffee, please.” I opened the jam and took a knife, going about preparing my muffin.

“Just a muffin and coffee?” My grandmother frowned. “Neil, bring her some fruit. She needs to put a little meat on her bones.” For emphasis she lightly pinched my arm.

I chuckled and set the knife down. “Mimi, I’m fine.”

“For dinner you should have a nice, big steak.”

I wrinkled my nose. “I don’t like steak.”

“Oh, that’s right, I forgot,” a pause, “a burger then.”

I chuckled at her persistence and looked back to my father. “How come Candace didn’t come with him? I was going to ask him last night, but forgot.”

“She’s in Arizona and won’t be back until Tuesday or Wednesday.” He set a plate of fruit down next to me.

I made a face at it, but didn’t say anything.

My father caught it however and chuckled. “Eat it. Your mother will kill me if she finds out all I fed you was an English muffin.”

I relented and stabbed a piece of cantaloupe with my fork. “So, how long have you been here, Mimi?”

“Your mother dropped me off before heading on up to the hospital. I wanted to see you before we got there.”

I smiled at her. “I’m glad you did.”

“Me too.” She winked at me before taking up her mug and sipping her coffee.

We were quiet for a few moments, each one of us apparently lost in our own thoughts, then I broke the silence.

“So, how’s Poppy?” It was the subject we were all thinking about, but no one wanted to bring up. I didn’t either, but I needed to know.

“No change,” my father replied over the top of his coffee.

My eyes darted over to my mimi and I pouted at the way her shoulders sagged at my father’s words. Without speaking, I reached over and took her hand in mine, giving it a comforting squeeze.

She squeezed mine in return and then patted the back of my hand with her other one. “Tell me what California is like, my dear.”

I swallowed my bite of strawberry and sat back in the chair. “Really warm and sunny. I don’t have to wear any of my winter clothes and when it does get chilly, I just pull on a sweatshirt or hoodie.”

“That sounds so nice.”

I smiled and gave a nod. “It is, and the ocean is beautiful, Mimi. You’d love it.”

“I hear it’s different than the Atlantic,” she mused, releasing my hand and sipping on her coffee.

“It really is. They’re both beautiful, but there’s just something about the sun setting over the water and the way it reflects off the surface.”

“Your grandfather and I have seen many a sunrises over the Atlantic.”

“Well, after he gets out of the hospital and is strong enough to travel, you’ll both come out and visit and get to see the Pacific Ocean sunsets.” I knew that they both thought if on that one, but didn’t care. I wasn’t going to talk about the possibility of him leaving this world; that would only make me upset and sad and depressed and I was tired of feeling that way.

My mimi watched me with her striking eyes. “Rather your grandfather goes or not, I’ll come to see you.”

I smiled. “I know you will.”

“And we can go try to find Tom Cruise.”

That made me laugh. “Mimi, you know he’s a nut, right?”

She waved a hand. “Oh, I know he is, but he’s still gorgeous in my book.”

I giggled and ate some more fruit, looking towards the front of the house when Grayson’s voice rang out.

“Hello?”

“In here, Son!” My dad called out to him.

A moment later my sleepy-eyed brother appeared in the doorway.

“Hey,” He greeted us as he sauntered into the room and took a mug from the counter.

“Good morning.” My father watched him over his newspaper.

“How is everyone?” He poured himself a cup of the hot java then set the pot back in the coffee maker.

Mimi smiled warmly at her grandson. “We were just talking about going to visit Morgan in California.”

“Oh? Who’s we?” He joined us at the table and kissed Mimi’s cheek before taking his own seat.

“Well, myself for sure.” She smiled at me with her eyes.

“I’ve invited Morgan to come out to Arizona once we get settled out there.”

“Ooh, that sounds nice.” My dad lifted his brows and looked between us kids.

I gave a nod and finished up my breakfast. “Yeah, just lemme know when you guys are all moved out there.”

“Will do.” He sipped his coffee.

I wiped my mouth then began gathering my dishes. “I just need to run upstairs and brush my teeth again and we can go.”

My father nodded then looked to my brother. “When are you gonna head back to the city?”

“Probably like four or five. It’s a Sunday so there shouldn’t be much traffic.”

“What are you going to do until then?”

Grayson checked his watch. “I’ll probably sleep a couple hours and then join up with you guys again. I didn’t get much rest in the armchair.”

“Mmkay, you know where to find us.” My father rose from his seat.

I did as well and placed my dishes in the sink. “Okay, I’ll be right back.” Then I hurried from the kitchen and through the hall to the stairs.

It was going to be another emotionally trying day and I was going to do my hardest to stay strong; if not for myself then for my mom and grandmother. They needed me and I needed to not fall apart. I hadn’t had much practice in the not falling apart category, but I’d do my best. And in case I wasn’t successful, I needed to remember to bring a lot of tissues.

 

End Notes:

I know these chps don't have much AJ in them; but stick with me and I promise it'll be worthwhile. Thanks so much for all the wonderful thoughts and opinions! Keep 'em coming!

Chapter Twenty-Four by summer
Author's Notes:
Thanks so much for keeping up with this and for all the awesome feedback!

 

It was the same scene in the hospital room when I arrived there with my dad and grandmother. My poppy was still sedated, looking frail and lost in the hospital bed, that yellow tinge around his mouth. My mother was at his bedside, holding his hand and murmuring softly to him, her eyes already red and swollen. I wanted to turn around and walk right out the minute I stepped into the room, not liking the heavy pressure that was inside my chest or the way my stomach was churning.

Luckily, I didn’t have to wait too long before I had my chance to escape. After greeting my mother and making sure my grandmother was settled comfortably in the armchair, my cell phone chimed with a text and I excused myself to step out into the hall and read it.

It was from Andrew and I lifted a brow as I read what he had sent me.

Heard ur in CT. Dianna told me what happened & I’m so sorry. R u ok?

Why was Dianna discussing my personal life with other people? I frowned and wet my bottom lip, debating on what to respond with, or if I even should. Finally, I relented and hit reply.

Yup in CT, could b better. Thanx

I considered shooting one off to Dianna telling her to stop running her mouth about me, but decided against it because I didn’t want to start any drama. I needed all the support I could get right now. I didn’t want to drive her away; she might leave Daisy on the side of the road. Not really, but it did flash through my head for a split second.

Before I could pocket my phone again, it chimed and Andrew’s name showed on the screen. He had responded already. I selected to view the text then read his message.

Ur welcome. I’m still in NYC if u need a break. Might do u good 2 get away 4 a day.

That made both my brows rise and again I debated on a response. Finally, I pushed reply and typed it out.

Thanx but not sure if I wanna leave here. Appreciate the offer tho.

This time I did pocket my phone, thinking over Andrew’s invitation. He was trying to be a friend and be there for me, offering to take my mind off what I was going through. In theory, it was a good idea, but what happened if I went to visit Andrew and my poppy took a turn for the worse? Besides, I’d feel so guilty to go off and try to have a good time with him lying there sedated and struggling to stay alive. I just didn’t think it was a good idea.

With a sigh, I turned to head back into the room when a voice came from my left.

“Morgan? Morgan Huntley, is that you?”

I blinked at someone calling me by my maiden name and turned to find a petite brunette with her long hair tied back in a simple ponytail and bright lively green eyes. “Um…can I help you?” She looked vaguely familiar to me, but I couldn’t place her.

The brunette gave an excited squeal and moved to me, wrapping me in a hug. “I thought that was you!”

I waited until she had pulled back before speaking again, “I…I’m sorry, but I-”

“You don’t recognize me?” She interrupted, grabbing for the nametag on her white lab coat and wiggling it some. “Eva Davis, though you’ll remember me as Eva Gordon.”

And I did. “Eva?” I gave a low laugh and blushed some, feeling foolish for not remembering someone I had graduated with. “Of course I remember you, I’m sorry…you just caught me off guard.”

She chuckled, tucking the clipboard in one hand under her arm. “That’s alright, I got that laser eye surgery and don’t have to wear glasses anymore, so not many recognize me.”

“Ooh, right.” I nodded some, remembering the tiny brunette with the black wire framed glasses that had sat next to me in English Literature.

“So, what have you been up to? This is the last place I expected to find you.” She waved a hand, motioning around us to the hospital.

“Yeah,” I tucked some hair behind my ear, “um, my grandfather had a heart attack the other night and he’s in there.” I motioned towards his room.

“Ooh, gosh, I’m so sorry.”

“Thank you.”

“But don’t you worry; this hospital has some of the best doctors. They’ll take good care of him.”

I smiled and gave a nod. “They’re doing a good job so far.” Then I motioned towards her lab coat and the light blue scrubs she wore underneath. “How long have you worked here?”

“I just established my residency.”

“Oh, wow, that’s great!”

She smiled warmly. “Thank you. How ‘bout yourself? What are you doing these days?”

“Oh,” I shrugged some, “I’m in real estate and I live out in California.”

“California? Wow, I bet that’s nice.”

“Yeah,” I chuckled low, “it’s a lot warmer than here, that’s for sure.”

“I bet it is. Is that where your husband is from? I heard you got married a couple years ago.”

I blinked, feeling my heart starting to beat a little faster. “Um, no …I…I’m not married anymore.”

“Oh.” she pursed her lips and hugged the clipboard to her chest. “I’m so sorry.”

I shook my head, grateful that she wasn’t trying to pry and find out what happened. “It’s okay.”

Eva smiled then motioned to her papers. “I should get going; I have a few patients to see.”

“Oh, sure.”

She watched me a moment then reached out and touched my arm. “It was really good seeing you again. If you’d like, I can stop back by later and check on your grandfather, see how everything is going.”

“Oh,” I shook my head, “I appreciate it, but you don’t have to do that. I’m sure your plate is full enough as is.”

“It’s no bother, really. I’d be glad to do it.”

I smiled and finally relented, “Alright, thank you.”

“Anytime.” She touched my arm again then strode off down the hall.

I watched her go and gave a sigh, reaching up and rubbing my forehead. Well, that hadn’t been awkward whatsoever; yeah right. I hadn’t been expecting to run into anyone that I may have known. But considering that the town isn’t all that big, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Waiting until she had disappeared out the doors to the ICU, I finally turned and headed back into the room.

“There you are,” My father’s voice greeted me as I let the door close slowly behind me.

“Yeah, sorry; I went out to respond to a text and ran into a friend from high school.”

My mimi’s eyes perked up. “Oh, that sounds nice, dear.”

“Yeah,” I made my way back over towards the bed, “she’s a doctor here, actually.” I sank down into a chair next to my mother.

She smiled at me, her blue eyes looking so tired and lifeless. “Your Uncle Spencer is arriving later this afternoon.”

My brows lifted. “Really? Is he coming alone?”

She nodded. “Yeah, Naomi has to work.”

I glanced over to my poppy. “That’s good, he should be here.”

My uncle, Spencer Douglas, was my mimi and poppy’s oldest child. He was three years older than my mom and five older than my Aunt Lindsay. He and his wife, Naomi, lived in Michigan where he worked for Ford as some computer engineer; of what, I wasn’t entirely sure. Naomi was a high school Chemistry teacher and together they had two grown children; my cousins, Gina and Abigail.

“What about Aunt Lindsay?”

“She’s still in Germany,” my mimi explained from the armchair she was resting in. “I talked to her this morning. She isn’t sure when she’d be able to get a flight out, but said she would certainly try if she needed to be here. I told her not to worry herself over it.”

“Ooh, makes sense.” I nodded some and sank back into the chair.

My aunt, Lindsay Schellden, had gone backpacking in the European countryside nearly twenty years ago and never come back. She’d met and married a wonderful German man by the name of Claude Schellden, and was more than happy to make a life for them overseas in the beautiful country. They had a large family; six children in all, ranging in ages from 18 down to four. Once when I was 12, we had taken a trip out there to visit, and they had been here a few times, but I really didn’t see much of my mom’s sister and her family. I was really hoping this would not turn into one of those situations where I did.

I rubbed my head. “When do the doctors come in?”

“They had their rounds before you arrived,” my mom replied.

“Oh.” I glanced around the room wondering if we were going to just sit around like this all day. Lord knows I loved my poppy, but it would get very depressing very quickly.

My dad must have sensed that because he rose to his feet. “Morgan, why don’t we go for a drive?”

“What about Poppy?”

“Your mother will call us if something happens.”

I glanced over to her and she gave a nod, reaching and squeezing my hand. “Go spend some time with your dad.”

I looked to my mimi. “Are you okay with that?” I wasn’t entirely comfortable with leaving her there.

She smiled warmly at me. “Of course, dear. I don’t want you just sitting around here like us old folk.”

“Careful who you’re calling old, Sophie,” my dad joked with her.

“Just myself,” she retorted back.

Standing as well, I kissed both my mom and grandmother’s cheeks before giving my poppy’s hand a warm squeeze. Then my father and I made our way from the room.

Neither of us spoke until we were in the car and heading along the tree lined street, away from the hospital.

“How are you doing, really?” My father questioned as he steered his maroon Chrysler 300 along the road.

I glanced over to him and wet my bottom lip, offering up a shrug. “I’m okay.”

“Just okay?”

“Yeah, not stellar, but not horrible.” And now it was time for that conversation I wanted to avoid. I should have known.

“How’s California treating you?”

I looked to the front window. “It’s there.”

He fell silent and we went another mile or so.

“Why did you run?”

His words made me frown. “I didn’t run.”

“It sure seemed that way, baby. You up and decided to move across the country before your mother and I even knew what was happening.”

“I needed a new start.”

He slowed for a red light and looked to me. “You were avoiding us.”

“I didn’t intend to do that.” I sighed and stared out the side window, not able to look at him. “I just had to get away and start over. I couldn’t handle the way people were looking at me, or treating me; like I was so fragile I’d break, or like they were just so sorry for me. No one knew what to say or do to help me and I didn’t know how to help myself. I needed to figure that out and Connecticut, as much as I love it and you guys, it just wasn’t the place for me to do that in.”

“Have you figured it out?” His voice was gentle and held those notes of concern.

I met his eyes. “I’m getting there.”

He watched me a moment before speaking, “Morgan, you know that your mother and I want you to be happy.”

“I know.”

“And we want you to do whatever you need to do to get there.”

I nodded.

He started through the light after it turned to green. “But we don’t want you avoiding us, or trying to write us out of your lives.”

I sighed and closed my eyes a moment. “I’m not trying to do that. I know…I should have let you come see me, or come home sooner…” tears sprung into my eyes, “…but I just didn’t think I could handle it. I’m not even sure I can handle being here right now. I’m trying hard to get past losing Hugh,” my voice cracked and I looked away, biting my bottom lip. I didn’t want another breakdown.

“You need support, Morgan. You need your family. You can’t get over something that tragic on your own.”

I wiped at my eyes. “I’m not…doing it alone. I have friends out there.”

He stopped for another red light and reached over, turning my face to his. “But you need your family, sweetheart.”

“Dad,” I sighed and rubbed my eyes, “I know you and Mom want to help me get through this, but sometimes a person just has to work past it on their own. I know that you guys are there for me and if I really need you I’ll come to you. I wish you could just be satisfied with knowing that.”

“You weren’t the only one to lose someone when you lost Hugh. He was like a son to both your mother and me,” his eyes searched my face, “we just don’t want to lose our daughter too.”

I bit my bottom lip, trying to hold back the tears that threatened to escape. “Y…you aren’t going to.”

He watched me a moment then followed the car ahead of us through the traffic light. “Good.”

I brushed some hair from my face and glanced around to where we were heading. “Where are we going?”

“Nowhere particular, I’m just driving.”

“Oh.” I watched the scenery a moment before speaking again, “Do you think Poppy will make it?”

My dad sighed and glanced over at me, “It’s hard to tell. If they can get him stabilized and think he’ll be strong enough for the surgery then he might.”

“Or he might not.”

“Let’s not go there yet.”

“I wish we could do more than just sit there watching him. That can’t be healthy for Mimi, or Mom.”

“No, it can’t be,” my father agreed. “But there’s not much else to do.”

I wet my bottom lip. “I know that…I want to be here in case something happens, but honestly, Dad, I don’t know how well I’m going to handle it. I mean,” I rubbed my forehead, trying to get my thoughts in order, “the more I think about it the more upset it makes me and I …don’t want to go back to that place I was six months ago.”

“I understand, sweetheart.” He flicked the left blinker on and slowed for a turn. “I was a bit worried when your mother told me you were coming. Having to deal with something like this so soon after what you’ve already dealt with.”

“But I don’t not want to be here.”

He glanced at me. “What if you went into the city with your brother? Stay at his place a few days then come back on out here later on in the week.”

“I…I don’t know. I don’t want to leave.”

“Morgan, it’s just a few days.” My father’s emerald like eyes met my clear ones.

“What if something happened?”

“Then both you and Grayson will be coming right back out. It’s just a couple hours away, honey.”

I watched him. “You really think it’s a good idea?”

He sighed and brought the car to a stop at a stop sign. “I think it’s something you need just in case things don’t get better.”

He was right.

“You think Grayson will mind?”

“I don’t think he will, but I’ll talk to him.”

“Sometimes, I don’t think he likes me.”

My father sighed some. “I know you two were never close, but he loves you, Morgan. Things are awkward right now because no one knows how to act, or what to say or do. You can’t show up after almost two years and expect things to be a hundred percent normal. You just have to give it some time.”

I gave a little nod.

“And maybe the few days in New York with him will help you two reconnect.”

“Maybe.”

“Hey,” he slowed the car some and looked to me, “things will work out, Morgan. They always have a way of doing that.”

“I know. Sometimes it gets harder before it gets better, but it’ll get there.”

“That’s right.” He gave a firm nod.

I fingered the silver chain that hung around my neck; things always got worse before they got better, but just how much worse were they going to get? Unfortunately, I didn’t have that answer.

“Alright, I’ll go.” I turned my attention back to my father.

He sent me a loving smile. “Good. I think it’s what you need.”

Rather it was what I needed or not, I was doing it. Nodding my head some, I turned my attention back out the window and watched the rolling hills pass.

Chapter Twenty-Five by summer
Author's Notes:
I miss all my awesome reviewers, where'd you ladies go? Come back LOL, don't leave the story. Least let me know you're still reading and I haven't bored you away. And a special shout out to Wishing_On_A_Star and Hazel_85 for sticking with the reviews. Hope everyone enjoys this next chapter!

 

I did indeed travel with my brother back to his penthouse apartment in New York City. He was more than fine with it and warned me I might find myself bored while he worked and Candace was out of town, but he promised we’d take in a few sights whenever he got any free time. I told him to not even worry about it; I was plenty fine with chilling in their Jacuzzi or eating strawberries and watching movies while they were at work.

I called my mom every morning and evening to stay updated on my grandfather’s condition. The doctor’s brought him out of sedation once more, but he didn’t respond well and they thought the hopes of a heart bypass operation were dim. That panged me, but I was trying to keep a stiff upper lip for my mom’s sake. It was a lot harder on her and my grandmother than it was on me. Not that I wasn’t having my own struggles with the losing situation, but I was trying to be the supportive daughter and granddaughter that they needed. Making up for lost time? Maybe.

I talked to Alex once on Monday, twice on Tuesday and then again Wednesday evening. He reported that things seemed to go well with Bernie’s operation and they were able to remove quite a few of the lumps. They hadn’t been successful with every one, but he was also responding well to the medicine, so there was still hope. I felt some of the weight on my shoulders lift after the good news and after we finally hung up, I sent him a bouquet of yellow daises.

Speaking of daisies, my Daisy was doing fine; she missed me, but was still being her happy go lucky self. Dianna and I talked a few times over the days I was in the Big Apple. She reported good things about my chocolate Lab and made sure to reassure me that she was getting plenty of exercise. She and Manuel had even taken her to the dog park once and the beach twice. I retorted that it sounded like they were enjoying the whole taking care of an animal process, then teased her about needing an ankle biter for herself. She snorted.

Unfortunately, I hadn’t seen much of my brother, or Candace after she arrived home Wednesday night. My main purpose for going into the city to visit them completely defeated; Grayson was wrapped up with some huge clients their firm had been hired by. It was too bad really because I did want to reconnect with my brother. But, he had promised that we’d do dinner Thursday night and had even cleared his schedule for it.

It was now nearly nine o’clock and he hadn’t even called.

I could strangle him.

With a frown, I sank down onto the plush, suede couch and smoothed my dress. I had even worn a nice dress. And now I was all dressed up with nowhere to go. And starving.

He could at least call and let me know he had gotten hung up. We were schedule to drive back to Coventry tomorrow morning and this was going to be our last real chance to repair that brother-sister bond.

Tomorrow was Friday.

The anniversary of Hugh’s death.

Friday.

That fateful day two years ago that changed my life forever.

Friday.

That day I would never get back.

Friday.

I squeezed my eyes shut tight to block out the memory. Okay, I needed to get my mind off it or I’d end up wallowing in the bed eating Chunky Monkey ice cream until I made myself sick. But what was there to do in New York City by yourself when you weren’t too familiar with the area?

Suddenly an answer presented itself to me and I could have smacked myself in the head for not thinking about it sooner; much, much sooner.

Andrew.

He was in the city, unless he’d gone on back to Los Angeles for the week. But it couldn’t hurt to call him and find out.

I pulled my phone from the purse and dialed his number, lifting it to my ear and listening to the rings.

He answered on the third one, “Hello?”

“Andrew?” I peeked to the phone.

“Morgan? Hey!” He sounded happy to hear from me. “How are you? Is everything okay?”

“Yeah,” I gave a nod then shook my head, “actually, no.”

“Is it your grandfather?” Alarm could be heard in his voice.

“No.” I shook my head then blinked and shook it more. “No, not that kind of not okay. I just…” I sighed, “I’m actually in New York at my brother’s place and we were supposed to have dinner tonight, but he stood me up and I really don’t want to be alone at the moment. Are… you here? Are you busy? I just…could really use a friend right now.”

“What’s wrong?”

I suddenly remembered he had no clue about Hugh. Dianna had never told him and neither had I. “Um, I just...I don’t want to be alone.”

“Sure, Babe. Where are you? You want me to come over?”

“No, can we meet somewhere? I can get a cab.”

“Of course.” He rattled off the name of some restaurant and gave me the address.

I agreed to meet him and we hung up. After slipping my phone back into my purse, I gathered my things and made sure to leave a note for Grayson. Then I called down to the doorman and asked for a cab before checking my hair and makeup once more. Deeming myself presentable enough, I gathered the spare key I had been left with and was out the door.

It didn’t take long to get to the cozy little restaurant Andrew had selected and soon we were seated in one of those u-shaped booths, side by side and pouring over the menus. I was ravenous and was able to decide on the Chicken Florentine before too long. Andrew chose the Salmon and we placed the orders, relaxing back in the booth to wait.

“I hope it doesn’t take them long, I’m so hungry I could eat my arm.”

Andrew laughed low and watched me, amusement clearly in his eyes. “You’d eat your own arm?”

“Okay, maybe not, but I could eat a chicken the size of a horse.”

He laughed again. “That’d be a sight to see.”

“What? A chicken the size of a horse?”

“Well yeah, and you trying to eat it.”

I giggled low, smoothing my dress. I was already feeling a bit better just being out of the penthouse and around other people, not to mention someone I knew. “That would be a sight; me, chasing it around with a fork and knife, a napkin tied around my neck.”

His laugh was infectious. “More like, it’d be chasing you around trying to peck you.”

I pushed at his arm, laughing a bit more at the mental that picture produced. “Shh, don’t say that.”

“Sorry,” he apologized with a grin, getting control of himself. “It was just too funny to pass up.”

“Uh huh.” I reached for my water and took a sip.

He cleared his throat and took a drink of his own beverage. “I didn’t realize your brother lived in the city,” he spoke once he had set the glass down and was settled back into the booth again, one arm casually swung up on the back of it.

“Yeah, he and his wife; they live over near Central Park.”

“Ooh, that’s a nice area.”

I gave a nod and tucked my hands beneath my legs. “We were supposed to, kinda, hang out together and catch up, but he’s been swamped with work and I’ve hardly seen him.”

“So, you’ve been all alone each day?”

“Yeah, well except for Consuelo, their housekeeper. But mainly, I have. Though I haven’t really minded that much; they have a really nice place.”

“Didn’t you get lonely?” His fingers moved down and barely brushed my arm.

I didn’t take much notice of it. Instead, I was trying to figure out why I had, for once, felt alright to spend a few days all alone. How come Hugh’s memories hadn’t haunted me, especially being so close to the anniversary? It was very unlike me. “Surprisingly, not really; I watched movies, relaxed in the Jacuzzi, spent some time working out.”

“You should have called me sooner.” His fingers brushed my arm again.

This time I noticed it as a few goosebumps spread where he had touched my skin. “I was okay. Candace is a huge book feign and I got caught up in a few novels.”

“You’ve been keeping busy despite, huh?” His hand rested on my upper arm and he gave it a gentle squeeze.

“Of course.” I was trying to process what his touches meant. Were they friendly ones, or was he trying to do something a little more?

“How’s your grandfather?”

My shoulders slumped some at that. “They don’t think they’ll be able to do surgery. I’m…not sure the details, but I’ll find out tomorrow after we get back into town.”

Andrew’s brows furrowed and he pulled his arm from around me, taking my hand into his and giving it a squeeze. “I’m so sorry, Morgan. That’s really rough.”

“Yeah,” I spoke softly, watching our hands. It was nothing more than a friendly action.

“How about tonight we don’t talk about grandfathers, or surgeries, or brothers who stand their sisters up?”

I had to smile at his sweetness. “That sounds really nice.”

“Great.” He matched my smile with one of his own.

“So, things are going well for you?”

“At the moment. We had a few hold ups earlier in the week with some of the building supplies, but they were straightened out today.”

“If it weren’t so late, I’d tell you to take me to the site for the building so I could see all your hard work.”

He chuckled and smoothed his shirt and tie. “We could swing by after this. It’s not that far from here actually.”

“Really?” I lifted a brow and pulled my drink closer, taking a sip.

“Yeah.”

The smile on his face made me feel warm inside and I had to return it. “Maybe.”

“And then,” his fingers began to smooth along the palm of my hand, “maybe we could go back to my place.”

I wet my bottom lip, feeling the need to speak up, “Andrew, you know that we’re just friends.”

“I know,” he gave a nod, his eyes trained on our hands, “but I also know that I’m still very interested in you, for more than a friend.”

“Andrew…” I trailed off, not quite sure what to say.

He sighed and squeezed my hand before releasing it. “I know. I know you aren’t ready for a relationship and I respect that. I don’t want to pressure you,” his clear eyes watched me intently, “but I’ve wanted to be more than just friends since the night we met.”

Oh boy.

I sighed and tucked my hands into my lap. I didn’t know what to say, or how to take that. Maybe I was a bit naïve. I hadn’t even considered that he might harbor deeper feelings for me, and not be completely satisfied with remaining on a ‘friends only’ level. I guess I had just assumed that the decision we had made was it and he wouldn’t continue to feel anything else. Man, talk about being an idiot.

“Maybe we could go on one date.”

“Andrew…”

“I…don’t know what’s going on in your life and the reasons why you aren’t ready to date someone, but we could take things slow.” He wet his bottom lip and gave a dry chuckle. “Hell, I’m not even in town much these days. Things could go slower than molasses.”

It was at that very moment that I realized I had dug a rather deep hole for myself and was soon going to be buried in it. Andrew thought I didn’t want to date anyone and when I was, he’d be the obvious choice. Had I led him to believe that? I tried to think back over the conversations we’d had about it, but so much had gone on between now and then that it was difficult to remember everything. Maybe I hadn’t been clear enough that I wasn’t interested in being anything but his friend. And now the situation was even messier because Alex was involved.

What was a girl to do? Was I supposed to tell him about Alex? I didn’t know if that’d piss him off or freak him out, but I had a feeling he wouldn’t take it well. I didn’t want to hurt his feelings, but I couldn’t lie to him. Could I get away without saying anything? Was that considered deceitful? I know it wasn’t being completely honest, but was it any of his business with what was going on between Alex and me? Besides, it wasn’t like I had been looking to date anyone. I had been telling the truth when I told Andrew I wasn’t ready to be in a relationship or to even get my feet wet. But sometimes things just happened, no matter how hard you tried to fight it.

“Morgan?”

His voice yanked me from my thoughts and I blinked, meeting his gaze. “Hm?”

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah.” I tucked some hair behind my ear and looked over as the server arrived with our food. Thank God. Not only was I starving, but I really needed the distraction.

We busied ourselves with getting our plates situated and started in on the piping hot meals, a silence falling over the table. For the moment, he seemed to have forgotten about the conversation; or at the very least, let it drop. I was grateful and concentrated on my Chicken Florentine.

We ate for a few moments in reticence, enjoying the delicious food and cozy environment and then Andrew began to tell me some tale about work and an order that got all misconstrued. It turned out to be pretty humorous and in turn I drudged up some of my own stories from the real estate office.

No one brought up the whole dating situation again and I was more than relieved. I could tell that Andrew sensed I didn't want to go there and I appreciated that he was respecting it. Though once we were both back in the safety of LA I wasn't sure what to expect. I wasn't keen on having to tell him about Alex and I really didn't want to hurt his feelings, but I saw Andrew as nothing more than a friend.

After our plates were cleared away and we were sipping on some nice house wine and enjoying the soft tunes the piano player strummed up, I relaxed back in the booth. It was getting late, but I wasn't ready to head back. I think a part of me was hoping that by delaying my return to the penthouse in some way I'd be inadvertently delaying the coming of the next day.

"What's on your mind?" Andrew's crystal clear eyes watched me like he knew I was hiding some kind of secret.

I lowered my wine glass and met his gaze. "Just the whole situation with my grandfather." Not a total lie, but not the complete truth. For some reason I didn't feel comfortable opening up my vulnerable side to him and telling him about my husband.

"We're not supposed to talk about that," he reminded me with a knowing smile.

"I know," my fingers smoothed along the stem of the glass, "but I just can't get it out of my mind."

He reached and took my hand into his again. "I know it's hard. Three years ago I lost my grandmother to Alzheimer's."

I blinked. "I thought your grandparents lived up in wine country?"

"Those are my dad's parents. This was my mom's mom."

"Oh," a pause, "I'm so sorry. That had to be rough."

"It was, but each day gets just a little bit better. It's never going to go away, but with time it does ease up."

"Yeah." My head gave a small nod. I did not want to be talking about this conversation anymore. Clearing my throat, I looked his way once more. "So, were you going to show me this new building of yours or are we going to sit here all night until they kick us out?"

A large grin formed on his face and he set his glass down. "Right, let's get moving then." He paid the check then, together, we headed for the doors.

We had just exited into the cool New York night air when my phone rang.

"Oh, hold up." I paused and dug it from my purse, seeing Grayson's name on the screen. "It's my brother." I glanced over to Andrew then answered the call, "Hello?"

"Morgan? Where are you?"

"Um..." I glanced around my surroundings, "I'm at Alta Voce with a friend I know from back in LA that's out here in New York this week. Are you still at work?"

"No, I'm on my way home."

The way he said that made a chill run right down my spine. "What's wrong?"

"You need to meet me there." He brushed my question aside.

I could feel the fear rapidly growing in my stomach. "Grayson, what's going on?"

There was a pause. "It's Poppy."

"Oh no." I felt my knees growing weak and reached a hand out for a light post. "What happened? Did he have another heart attack? Did he have a stroke?"

Grayson gave a sigh and I knew he was dreading his next words.

"What...what is it?" The words came out choked and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up straight.

"He...um...he's gone, Morgan..."

Inside, my heart was breaking. "No...no.." I shook my head vehemently as a sob rose in my throat. Poppy couldn't be dead. He was supposed to get better and go home. He was supposed to live until he was at least 100. He was supposed to come out to California and see a Pacific sunset.

"He is. Mom...called me a few ago and she wants us to get out there as soon as we can."

I pressed the back of my hand to my mouth, the tears rolling down my cheeks.

"I'm almost home and I'm gonna get a bag together. Can you meet me there?"

I gave a sobbed response and nodded my head, wiping at my cheeks. This could not be happening. It had to be some dream gone terribly wrong.

"Okay, I"ll see you in a few." He added his goodbyes and then hung up.

As I lowered my phone and slipped it back into my purse I became acutely aware of Andrew beside me smoothing his hand along my back. I hadn't even noticed when he'd come up next to me. "Andrew..." I choked out in a strained tone.

"I know..." He pulled me against his chest, both arms wrapping around my slender body and holding me close.

I didn't want to cry there in his embrace, but the tears wouldn't stop. I could feel a tightening in my chest and I closed my eyes tight, pressing my face against his shirt.

He held me for a few moments, smoothing my back and whispering soft 'it's going to be okay's' into my ear.

I finally couldn't take anymore and pulled away. I wanted to scream at him to shut up, that he didn't know if it was going to be okay, that it might never be okay again, but I didn't. Instead, I asked if he'd take me back to my brother's.

He agreed and hailed us a cab.

Once inside, I dug some tissue from my purse and wiped my eyes. This next week was going to be a repeat of two years ago; the visitations, the funeral, the dinners, the family and friends. An emotional roller coaster ride that I didn't know if I could handle again. But I had to try. If not for my mom then definitely for my mimi. I had to be there for them because Lord knows they were there for me. After all we were family, and that's what families did.

 

End Notes:

I know ya'll are missing AJ...I miss him too. But keep the faith...he'll be back!

Chapter Twenty-Six by summer
Author's Notes:
Thank you guys so much! I'm glad ya'll are still with me and this fic. I love knowing what y'all think so keep the reviews coming; they really help me get the chapters flowing for you. And that means I can update faster! Thanks again!

 

The ride back to Coventry was filled with silence. It was just Grayson and myself; Candace would be joining us on Saturday. We had been driving for about 45 minutes and so far neither one of us had uttered more than two words. It was late; the dashboard clock glowed 12:53am and I know he had to be exhausted from his long day. And we still had another hour or more to go. The traffic was lighter than normal, but wouldn't become sparse until we were another good half hour down the road.

I shifted in my seat and rubbed my swollen eyes. They hurt and, at the moment, I wanted nothing more than to fall into the welcome arms of sleep. But I knew only horrible dreams would plague me and that would be if I could even get to sleep.

"You alright?" Grayson finally broke the silence and I looked over to find him watching me.

"No."

"Me either." He turned back to the road.

I sighed and tucked some limp hair behind my ear. "This sucks."

"You're telling me."

"I can't believe it's really happening. That... that he's really gone..." my voice broke and I pressed my lips together in an attempt to keep some kind of composure.

"Me either," he echoed softly.

I cleared my throat some. "Let's talk about something else."

"Okay." He flexed his hands on the wheel, watching the lights from the car ahead of us. "Who was that guy that brought you back tonight?"

I hadn't meant that, and I hadn't meant for them to even meet, but once the cab had gotten us back to Grayson's apartment complex, Andrew had insisted on seeing me inside, saying I was in no condition to make it on my own. He thought I'd end up misreading the elevator numbers and end up on the roof. I tried to tell him I was okay, but it didn't work and the two met very briefly when Andrew spotted my brother as I opened the door to head inside.

"You met him, you know his name."

"Yes, we met for like five seconds and I learned his name, but who is he?"

I sighed, not wanting to get into the semantics of my relationships with people. "His name is Andrew Holden and he's an architect. He lives in LA, but he's out here working on a big project. And when you stood me up-"

"I didn't stand you up," he interrupted me. "I told you after you got back that I was called in to some late night emergency meeting."

"Okay, when you had emergency meetings and your building lost all telephone service-"

"Morgan, I told you that I hadn't been able to call because I can't just tell the president of Johnson & Johnson that I needed five minutes to call my sister."

I contained the eye roll that wanted to slip out. "Fine, anyway," he scowled at that, but I ignored it, "when I realized you weren't going to be home in time for dinner, I called him and wet met up."

"Are you seeing him?"

"Not that it's any of your business, but no. We are strictly friends."

"Are you seeing anyone?"

I frowned some. "Why are you asking me that?"

He shrugged. "Just making conversation."

"Yeah, somehow I feel it's a little more than "just conversation"," I finger quoted the last part of my sentence.

"Maybe it is." He glanced my way. "I'm just wondering how you're getting along out there, alone."

Was he trying to piss me off on purpose? "First off; I'm not alone, and second of all; I'm getting along just fine, thank you."

"Why are you getting so defensive?" His tone changed to a softer demeanor.

I rubbed my head, wishing that the silence was still filling the car. "I'm not getting defensive."

"You are, Morgan." He glanced over at me again.

I blew a puff of air from between my lips. "I'm tired of people thinking that I'm all alone out there and that I'm not moving on with my life; that I'm hiding and wasting away." I shook my head. "I'm not doing any of that."

"We only think those things because you ran away from here and for the past year and a half have refused to see any of us," His tone had lost the edge and held genuine notes of concern.

"I know and I didn't mean for it to go down that way. I just...wanted a fresh start."

"Without your family?"

The lights from the dashboard reflected on his face and I thought I detected a disheartened expression. It made my chest ache. "I know I hurt you guys and I'm so sorry. I guess I was just afraid you would remind me of Hugh and I didn't want anything that'd remind me of Hugh."

His eyes met mine. "I get that, but you have no idea the kind of grief and turmoil it put Mom and Dad through."

My gaze dropped to my lap. "I know."

"And look what you lost because of it; the last few years left with Poppy."

Hot tears began to sting my eyes. "Don't remind me, please."

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "I'm sorry, the last thing I want to do is make you feel guilty. You don't need that on top of what you're already going through. What we're all going through."

I brushed some stray tears from my cheeks. "I don't want you mad at me."

He slowed the car some as the traffic ahead of us slowed down. "Morgan, I'm not mad at you. I was mad at first, seeing how upset our parents were, but not anymore. Now, I just feel sad for you."

"Please don't," I shook my head and looked in his direction, "I'm okay, really. Yeah, it was hard and still is, and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about him...but I can finally see that light at the end of the tunnel."

Grayson reached over and gave my hand a comforting squeeze. "Good. We just want you happy again, that's all."

"I know," I nodded and returned the squeeze before he took his hand back to help steer the vehicle. "I’m getting there; it's been a long time coming, and a very slow process, but I’m getting there."

“That’s all that matters.”

“Right.” I smiled through the tears that shone in my eyes. I hadn’t really noticed too much until tonight, but it was true; I was slowly becoming happy again. And when the time was right, I would tell them about Alex.

~*~*~*~*~

It was late, but my parents were still awake when we got back to Coventry. They were in the living room with my mimi, drinking hot coffee and staring at the floor with somber expressions. My mother’s eyes were red and puffy and my mimi looked like someone had ripped the heart right out of her chest. I went straight to her and wrapped her petite body in my arms, holding her close.

The five of us sat there for another hour, or so, crying and hugging, comforting one another the best we could and trying not to fall to complete pieces. It was emotionally exhausting and when I finally dragged myself up to the bedroom, I barely had enough energy to brush my teeth and change into some sleep clothes. I think I was out before my head hit the pillow.

It wasn’t until the sun hit me squarely in the face and my eyes peeked open that I remembered I hadn’t called Alex. With a groan, I buried my head under my pillow and pouted at not remembering to do that. I knew he would have been able to provide some type of solace for me, even just the sound of his voice was comforting in a way.

Peeking from under my pillow, I noted it was barely 9:30am, way too early California time to make the call. I would just have to make sure I took a few moments to slip away from everyone and get a hold of him later. I’d only been gone a week, but I already missed him something awful. Which was odd to me, but in a way felt strangely normal.

I pouted at that thought and finally tossed the covers from me. I could hear people moving about downstairs and knew family would be arriving soon and I would need to help with whatever my mom needed. This probably meant washing linens and towels and preparing the last guest room for whoever might stay there.

I slipped from the bed and gathered some clothes then headed for the shower. I might feel like crap, but I was going to try to at least look like I felt okay.

Thirty minutes later, I entered the kitchen to find my dad and brother seated at the table finishing up their breakfast. They were both dressed and ready for the day and each pouring over different sections of the morning newspaper.

I set my phone on the counter and grabbed a mug from the cupboard, pouring myself a fresh cup of coffee. "Where are Mom and Mimi?"

"They went with your Uncle Spencer to speak with the director at the funeral home," my father explained, glancing over the top of his paper at me.

I pouted and added some creamer to the black liquid. "Is everyone coming into town today? Do we need to call anyone?"

"Already taken care of," came my brother's response.

"Oh." I held the warm mug with both hands and took a small sip, feeling the scalding liquid heating my mouth and throat then down into my stomach. It felt nice and I took another, sighing at the warmth that filled me.

"You're mimi is going to be staying with us."

I looked over to my father. "That might be best. Who is gonna stay at her place?"

"Your Aunt and her family. They're arriving tonight from Germany."

"Makes sense." I took another drink of the coffee then looked to my cell phone as it gave its familiar ring. Reaching over, I lifted it and checked the screen; Dianna.

"I'm going to take this in the living room," I spoke to Grayson and our father before hurrying from the kitchen. Once in the quietness of the parlor, I lifted my phone and answered it, "Hello?"

"I just had to call and tell you that thanks to your dog, Manuel is now talking about possibly going to look for one for us," Her unenthused voice greeted me. "I hope you're happy."

I chuckled low; Dianna was never one to make small talk. "Hello to you too and I'm thrilled. It's about time you two talked about getting a puppy."

"Ooh no, not a puppy. Maybe, maybe a dog; a year or two old. But no puppy. I'm not about to clean up after any mongrel or try to train them. No matter how much Manuel promised he'd do it, you know that shit would be left up to me."

"True," I laughed low, "okay, so a dog. Where are you looking at? The Humane Society? They get hundreds of precious guys that need good homes."

"Heh, we go in there and my luck we'd come out with four of 'em."

"Aww." I couldn't help the smile that tugged at my lips.

She sighed and I imagined she was scowling. "Daisy is doing well. Though, you may not get her back once you get home because my husband might take her hostage."

My eyes drifted towards the kitchen. "Well, you're going to have to hang onto her for a bit longer...I have no idea when I'll be getting back to LA."

Dianna paused. "What happened?"

I could feel the tears pricking my eyes. The words felt stuck in my throat and I had to force them out, "Poppy...died last night."

"What?! Ooh God, Morgan..."

"Yeah." I wiped my eyes with the back of my hand.

"Honey, I'm so sorry..."

I could hear the sympathy in her voice and I had to force myself not to cry. "I wasn't even here. I...I was in New York. I should have been here."

"No, Morgan, don't say that. You did what you had to do."

"I should have been here," my voice trembled.

"Don't do that, Morgan. Don't beat yourself up. You had no way of knowing."

I wiped at my eyes again. "I...I know, but I could have...done something. I could have...told him goodbye. I didn't even get to say goodbye." I sank into an armchair and buried my face in my hand.

"Oh, honey..." she sighed and was probably at a loss for words on how to comfort me. “What can I do? You want me to come out there?"

"N...no...you got too much going on. Your... your book is due and...you have those meetings with your publishers. I...I can't let you do that."

"I can reschedule them easy."

"Please, not on my account. I.. I have my parents and...family out here. I'm..." I wet my bottom lip and knew I was about to lie through my teeth, "I'm okay."

She was quiet for a moment, but then finally agreed. We spoke for a few more minutes and she asked for the address to my parents place, insisting that she was going to send flowers if she couldn't be out here for support. I relayed the information and, after promising to call her the following day, we finally hung up.

With a heavy sigh, I slouched more in the chair and stared up at the ceiling. Maybe I should have told her to come on out, I was going to need someone to help keep me sane and Dianna knew exactly how to do that.

I didn't want her to have to reschedule all her meetings though, on my account. This new book of hers was a big deal and putting things on hold would cost a lot of money, not to mention, if she had any appearances or book signings scheduled. Changing even one thing could set off a domino effect and throw everything off balance.

I was just going to have to get through this on my own.

~*~*~*~*~

My family came in hordes on Friday; aunts, uncles, cousins, second cousins, friends and friends of cousins. Being a small town, the news spread quickly and people were bringing casseroles over before we had even decided on a day for the funeral.

I kept myself busy with tidying the house and finding room in the fridge for all the food. My mom, uncle and mimi finally returned from the funeral home and sat around the table discussing the funeral preparations. Of course, they wanted to wait for Lindsay before making any final decisions and then I was sent over to Mimi's to help prepare it for their arrival.

It was a long and rather exhausting day, physically and emotionally, and I didn't make it back to my parents place until after ten pm. My aunt and her family were due to arrive by midnight and I knew I'd be expected to wait up to greet them with everyone, but at the moment all I wanted to do was curl up in bed and try to get some sleep.

I climbed the porch steps slowly, enjoying my last few minutes of quiet. The lights from inside shone through the tiny spaces between the curtains and the window and I knew most of my family were just on the other side.

I had stayed busy for most the afternoon and evening and no one had really been given a chance to talk to me. Which, on my part, I deemed a good thing. I knew they'd want to ask how things were going, how California was treating me, if I was feeling better. They were wondering why I had left so abruptly, why I felt the need to move across the country, if I was going to be coming back home.

It had been hard enough explaining everything to my parents and Grayson; I was nowhere near ready to explain things to anyone else. The thought of all the questions, looks and whispers made my stomach churn and I found myself seeking refuge on the porch swing.

The night was calm with a slight chill in the air. There wasn't a cloud overhead and all the stars twinkled brightly, the moon full and casting eerie shadows around the yard and out in the street. I was half tempted to go lie in the yard and watch the sky; you didn't see the stars in the city. All the bright lights from Los Angeles dimmed them; such a shame really.

Deciding I didn't have the energy to move off the swing at the moment, I rubbed my arms and wondered how long I'd get away with hiding on the porch. Probably at least until my Aunt Lindsay arrived. Another hour or so. That would only be if I could handle the chill in the air and not be forced inside to seek warmth.

As I swung lazily in the porch swing, I listened to the sounds of the crickets and frogs that lived out in the yard. It dawned on me that not only did I miss the stars, but I missed all the sounds of the nighttime as well; crickets, frogs, locusts, the occasional coyote howl. I'd left a lot behind when I had run to California. Not just my family, but all the things I had grown up with. The small town vibe meant a lot to me and it wasn't until I was back that I realized just how much it did and how much I missed it.

And Hugh.

I hadn't forgotten what day it was and for the first time I felt somewhat grateful that I had been busy enough not to dwell on it. But it loomed over me and a heavy feeling was settling in my chest. Maybe I should go inside; that might be better than taking a trip down memory lane.

I had just risen from the swing when the sound of a vehicle caught my attention and I turned to find a car pulling alongside the curb. It rolled to a stop and parked under a streetlight and I lifted my brows. I had thought my aunt and her family weren't arriving till closer to midnight, but maybe they had gotten lucky and the plane had made good time and landed early.

Watching the dark sedan, I half expected the doors to fly open and my cousins to come spilling out, but after a moment, no one emerged. That seemed a bit odd and I took a step closer to the steps, half intending to see who was inside, half worried I may not want to.

Finally, after what felt like an hour, but was probably more just a few minutes, the interior light came on and the driver's door opened. Apprehension had grown inside me the very moment I realized this was not my aunt and uncle and I nearly bolted for the house when I saw the movement. Horrible thoughts were racing through my mind and I choked back a scream.

Nothing bad ever happened in Coventry. People left their front doors unlocked, their keys in the car, neighbors watched out for neighbors and the worst crime was teen vandalism. But as a figure emerged from inside the vehicle, I suddenly had thoughts of burglary and murder. I was too adjusted to the crimes of bigger cities.

The sound of the car door being shut seemed faint against the pounding of my heart in my ears and as badly as I wanted to bolt into the house, my feet wouldn't let me move. I felt frozen in place. The scream caught in my throat was now making its way into my mouth and as I opened it to let it out, I suddenly recognized the figure.

Alex.

A feeling of relief washed over me and I nearly sagged against one of the white support columns. A million questions filled my mind and I knew my brain was working in overload trying to process everything. Tears sprang to my eyes and instead of a scream; a strangled sound came out instead.

And then I was moving; off the porch and across the yard towards the street. I don't remember doing that. One minute I was on the porch, the next I was throwing myself into his arms, feeling them wrapping around me and hugging me close.

His scent, his warmth, the sound of his heartbeat, the feel of his chest; it flowed through me and tears spilled from my eyes. I pressed my face into his chest and inhaled all that was Alex. He was here. I don't know how or why...but he was. And at the moment, that's all that mattered.

 

End Notes:
Hehe, see...told you he'd be back!
Chapter Twenty-Seven by summer
Author's Notes:
Woot! So thrilled you loved that last chapter! Alex has ridden in on his trusty steed to save the day hehe. Let's hope he can do that. As always, keep the awesome feedback coming because as you can tell, it's helping me churn out the chaps. Thanks so much! I love knowing what ya'll think about each and every chp! :) Enjoy!

 

We stood there in each others arms at the curb for I don't know how long. I didn't want to pull away for fear that I was dreaming and moving might make him vanish. So I stayed there tucked against him, holding him close and taking in his scent.

It was Alex who spoke first and broke the spell that seemed to be around us.

"I guess this answers my question."

I peeked up to his face, a grin spreading over my own. "What question?"

"On rather or not you'd be happy to see me."

"I am, but I'm also confused and wondering if I'm dreaming."

He matched my smile and brushed his lips over my forehead. "No, this is very much real."

"How did you know where to find me? How did you know I was here? How...did you know to come? Wait...why are you here? What's going on?" I rattled question after question off at him in one breath.

He smoothed his hand along my back, taking the questions in stride. "I had a visitor at my door this morning."

My brows drew together. "Who?"

“Daisy."

"My Daisy?"

“The one and only."

I blinked. "How...what..."

He laughed and watched me with an amused expression. "She was sitting on my porch when I went to get the mail. I knew immediately who she was ... and thought maybe you had gotten home. But when I got to your place, you weren't there and this woman came rushing over as I was trying to decide what to do with your dog."

"Dianna."

He nodded, "Right, Dianna. She said she was dog sitting for you and that Daisy had run off when she had let her out to go potty. She thanked me immensely for returning her and then we introduced ourselves. Of course, she was elated to discover who I was," my cheeks blushed and he chuckled low, "and then she wasted no time in telling me what had happened."

I hugged him again. "You didn't have to come, but I'm so grateful that you did."

"Yes I did." He kissed the top of my head, holding me close. "I think Daisy showing up on my stoop was a very clear sign that I needed to come out here."

"Maybe so." I smelled his chest and gave a soft sigh.

He rubbed my back and peeked towards the house. “I’m glad you happened to be outside. I felt kind of …awkward at the thought of knocking and asking for you.”

I lifted my head and met his gaze. “Yeah, that might have been kind of strange. Everyone would have been wondering who you were and why you were here.”

“Exactly.” He brushed his fingers over my cheek and it made me shiver and hug him tighter.

“When did you get in?”

“A few hours ago,” he smoothed his hands down my arms and took my hands into his own, “I rented a car then got a room at the Nathan Hale Inn over near the university and now, here I am.”

I smiled and squeezed his hands before blinking. “Oh, what about Bernie? He just had surgery…he needs you.”

“Don’t worry about Bernie. I left him with a good friend and he’ll be taken care of.”

“Are you sure?” The last thing I needed was for Alex to fly across the country for me and then something to happen to his dog.

His fingers smoothed over my cheek and he forced our eyes to meet. “Positive.”

I felt a sense of relief wash over me and embraced him again. “I’m so glad you’re here.”

“Me too, baby.” He kissed my head and hugged me close.

We stood wrapped in each others arms for a few more minutes before he pulled back and took my hands in his again. “It’s a little chilly out here.”

“Oh, yeah…” I glanced around then towards the house, “um…do you wanna go somewhere? I’d…invite you in, but tonight…just…probably isn’t good. I have an aunt coming in tonight with her family and it’s just kind of crazy at the moment.”

“Um no, that’s perfectly fine with me. I’d feel sort of uncomfortable being thrust into the midst of what’s going on.”

I gave a slight nod and pulled a hand from his, rubbing the back of my neck with it. I knew I wasn’t ready to introduce my family to Alex, but he was here and it was going to have to happen sooner than later. “Yeah, tonight’s probably not a good night for meeting the fam.”

He nodded in agreement and smoothed a hand along my arm. “Are you hungry?”

Suddenly it dawned on me that I hadn’t eaten anything since early that morning. “Um, not really, but I should eat something. I haven’t all day.”

“Okay, let’s do that.”

I glanced back to the house then to him. “Okay, give me just a minute to let them know so they don’t wonder where I’ve gone.”

“Sure, babe.” He kissed my cheek then headed for the vehicle.

I sighed and smoothed my shirt before heading back across the lawn and onto the porch. Taking a little breath and trying to figure out exactly what I was going to say, I finally headed into the house and shut the door behind me.

“Morgan, honey? Is that you?” My mother emerged from the living room. “I didn’t expect you to be so long cleaning the house.”

I shrugged and set the keys to her car onto the end table. “I took my time.”

“Are you alright, dear?”

“Yeah, I’m good.” I motioned back towards the door behind me, “But um, I ran into a friend and we’re gonna go get something to eat.”

“This late?” Miriam checked her watch.

“Neither of us has eaten all day. I won’t be too long.” I kissed her cheek then retreated back to the door, opening it before she could object.

She hesitated. “Well, alright. Be careful.”

“Always.” I smiled then slipped back outside and closed the door securely.

Alex had pulled the car into the drive while I had been inside and I crossed the porch then headed across the walk and slipped into the vehicle.

“All set?” He questioned as I buckled and settled back into the seat.

“Yes,” I flashed a grin, “let’s go.”

He returned the smile and then we were off.

Fifteen minutes later we were seated in an all night diner just outside of town. It was small and I knew it wouldn’t be crowded this late; the perfect place to relax and talk, not to mention they had the best onion rings in the state of Connecticut.

After placing the orders, I settled into the back of the booth and sipped on my water, watching Alex from over the top of the glass.

A little grin tugged at the corner of his mouth. “What?”

I shrugged and pulled the straw from between my lips. “Just watching you.”

“You like what you see?” His voice had a teasing note.

“So far I do.”

He chuckled then reached across the table and took my hand. “So, how you holding up?”

I sighed at the question, but answered it, “I’m okay. Today’s been rough.”

“I imagine so.”

“Yeah,” my gaze dropped to the table, “especially more so because today was the anniversary of Hugh’s death.”

“Geeze,” he squeezed my hand firmly, “I’m sorry, baby.”

“It’s been hard.” I could feel the tears welling in my eyes.

“I know.” He stroked my hand in a soothing manner.

I sighed and wiped at my eyes with my free hand. “And now I have to go through all of this with my poppy.”

“How is your grandmother doing?”

I shrugged a shoulder. “The best she can be, considering. I avoided everyone today and cleaned their place top to bottom,” my voice cracked, “it was hard to see… all his things.”

“I imagine it brought back a lot of memories.”

The way he was massaging my hand calmed me. “It did. I couldn’t go into their bedroom.”

“That’s perfectly fine.” He pressed his mouth to my knuckles.

I cleared the lump from my throat and met his gaze. “I don’t know how I’m going to get through this next week. Not just…because of my grandfather, but …I haven’t seen these people since Hugh’s funeral…and they’re going to be whispering behind my back and wondering what happened and wanting to know why I left.” A beat. “All they know is from my parents’ point of view.”

“Well, maybe this is your chance to explain everything.”

“What am I supposed to do? Make a speech? I just can’t see me explaining everything over and over, that’ll be so tiring and I cannot rehash that part of my life. I just can’t.”

“Hey, don’t get yourself worked up.” He held my hand with both of his, leaning over the table some.

I sighed and slouched in my seat. “I’m sorry. It’s… it’s a fresh scab and I just don’t want everyone picking at it.”

“I know, baby.”

“Yeah,” the word slipped from my lips with a puff of air and I fiddled with the edge of a napkin. “So um,” I cleared my throat and lifted my head to meet his gaze; determined to change the topic of conversation, “how long are you going to be here?”

Alex lowered our hands to the table and shrugged one shoulder. “I didn’t get a return ticket yet. I wasn’t sure what was going on with you.”

“How ‘bout we sneak out and go back tonight?”

He blinked. “Are you serious?”

I gave a dry chuckle. “Only half; I know I can’t, but it doesn’t mean part of me doesn’t want to.”

Alex chuckled low and the middle aged waitress that had taken our orders appeared at our side, placing two piping hot plates down before us. She inquired if we needed anything more, but satisfied with the meals, we sent her on her way.

“So, what all do you have to do tomorrow?” Alex questioned as he squirted ketchup onto the bun of his burger.

“I don’t even know. We have family coming in so I’ll probably be stuck at the house all day.”

“That doesn’t exactly thrill you, huh?”

“About as much as eating glass does.”

“You know,” he lifted a brow, “they really have people who can do that.”

“They’re crazy.” I shook my head and grabbed up an onion ring, holding it towards him. “Try this.”

“Ooh, so these are the best onion rings in the state of Connecticut,” he quoted my statement made when we were trying to decide where to eat.

“Mmhmm,” I held it closer to his mouth, “take a bite.”

Alex did so then reached a hand up to catch the part of the ring that crumbled when he bit into it. “Ooh hot,” he breathed out as he attempted to eat it.

“Oops,” I winced and quickly set the ring back on the plate. “Gosh, are you okay? I’m sorry, I wasn’t thinking.”

He swallowed it successfully then took a long drink of his soda. “Yeah, I’m good,” he exclaimed after setting the glass back on the table and wiping his mouth.

I made a little face. “Try one again after they’ve cooled some.”

“Good idea.” Alex chuckled then returned to his own food.

I watched him a moment before taking up my fork and making myself eat some of the chicken salad I had ordered.

After a few bites of his burger, Alex set it down and wiped his hands with a napkin. “Okay, lemme try an onion ring.”

“Ooh, you think they’re cool enough?”

“One way to find out.” He wiggled his brows then let me select one and offer it to his mouth.

I giggled low and watched as he took a bite, making sure he had bit completely through the onion part before pulling back. “Good, huh?”

He nodded, but a voice from my left spoke up before he had a chance to reply.

“My, my, are my eyes deceiving me?”

I froze in my spot, sharp chills spreading from my lungs straight down into my stomach. I knew that voice anywhere and despite wincing on the inside, I lowered the onion ring back to my plate and turned towards the newcomer with a smile. “Jade, hi. Yeah, it’s really me.”

Jade Carnes, formerly Jade Weston a.k.a. Hugh’s sister, stood at the side of the table dressed in a pair of dark denim jeans and a cream colored sweater. “I wouldn’t believe it if I wasn’t seeing it with my own eyes.” Those steely blue eyes she mentioned looked me over then darted over to my companion. Lifting a brow, she glanced back to me. “I thought once you’d high tailed it out of here, you wouldn’t be back.”

I bit my cheek at the cool tone to her voice. Jade and I had never had the best of relationships. In fact, we hardly had one. Of course, we’d play nice and smile for the cameras when we had been forced together at family events, but that was about it. Hugh wasn’t too fond of his sister; who had married rich and morphed into one of those society snobs that looks down her nose at those that make less than two hundred grand a year. And so I hadn’t had to deal with her too much, thankfully. But now, here she was and here I was.

“Did you bring your new beau,” her eyes darted to Alex then back to me at that, “home to meet the family?”

“No.” I held back the venom that wanted to come out with that.

“No? Then who’s this?” She waved a hand towards Alex.

“I’m Alex,” he introduced himself, holding a hand out towards her.

He was wearing long sleeves, but the minute Jade spied the tattoos on his hand, she made a face and refused the handshake. “Ugh, you’ve really downgraded, haven’t you?”

I blinked, my eyes widening at her statement. Could she have possibly gotten any ruder in the last two years? I hadn’t thought that was feasible, but it sure seemed so. “Jade!”

“What? It’s the truth. Hugh was so clean and…” she looked Alex over with a pure look of distaste, “and normal and now look at who you’re bringing home.”

I couldn’t believe I was actually hearing the words coming out of her mouth. I could feel my face flush with anger and embarrassment for Alex and had to clench my hands into fists to keep from jumping from the booth and lunging at her. “That was completely uncalled for.” I tried to keep my tone even, but my voice trembled just a little with the emotions I was feeling.

Jade gave a shrug and placed her hands onto her hips. “No, it wasn’t. I always knew you were the type to be slumming. Made me wonder what Hugh ever saw in you,” a shrug, “maybe the semi wasn’t an accident, maybe he just wanted to escape you.” She threw the last part at me before smirking and turning on her heel to saunter off.

I felt like I had just been kicked in the stomach, my entire face was red and it was starting to spread down over my body. A bile taste rose into my mouth and I forced it back, suddenly pushing out of the booth and going after Jade with every intent to do her bodily harm.

It was Alex’s strong hands that grabbed my shoulders and held me back. “Morgan, don’t,” he warned in a low hiss as he pulled my body against his and wrapped an arm around my waist to keep me in place.

I struggled in his grasp, watching as the woman of my spite waltzed right out the door. “How dare she?!” I seethed, trying to go after her once more.

He held me strong against his body. “Kicking her ass isn’t going to get you anywhere but a night in jail. You know that woman would press charges. And as much as I love to see some girl on girl action, I can’t let you end up there.”

I frowned and finally went slack. “It’d make me feel a hell a lot better.”

“Maybe so, but I don’t think you want a criminal record,” he paused, “unless you already have one.”

“No,” I sighed out, waiting until his grip loosened then pulling from him and sinking down onto the edge of the booth.

Alex was quiet for a moment before crouching down in front of me, one hand on my knee. “Are you okay?”

“No.”

“Silly question, I don’t know why I asked.”

I reached out and touched his cheek. “I’m sorry she said those horrible things about you.”

“Don’t be, it’s not your fault.”

“I know, but I still am.”

He kissed my palm. “Okay and I’m sorry she said that stuff to you.”

I snorted and frowned towards the exit. “Talk about slumming, she’s the hoity toity bitch that wouldn’t be caught dead in a McDonalds, let alone a place like this. What was she doing here?”

“I don’t know,” he shook his head, “I don’t even know who she is.”

My eyes shifted back to his face at that. “Jade Carnes…she’s Hugh’s sister.”

“Really?” He arched a brow and glanced towards the exit as well then back to me. “She’s a bitch.”

“She always has been, but she’s seemed to have gotten worse since I last saw her.”

“Hugh wasn’t like his sister, was he?” He rose to his feet and slipped back into the booth.

“Oh God, no.” I turned to face him and pushed my plate away. “Hugh was genuine and compassionate and caring and…just perfect. Jade…” I searched for words that weren’t too hateful, “Jade married really young to a multi-millionaire. She let the money and attention get to her head and it completely changed her. They have a house out here on the lake and then like…four other places around the world. Though by now, it’s probably more like ten.”

“Lemme guess, they have a loveless marriage.”

“Why do you say that?”

He shrugged. “Because she has to tear everyone else down to make herself feel better.”

“That doesn’t mean they have a loveless marriage.”

“It does if she’s got to attack others’ relationships because hers has gone to the shithole.”

“Maybe.” I reached out and toyed with my fork.

“He probably has a mistress, or two.”

I gave a low chuckle then felt bad for laughing at that. “Hugh wasn’t too fond of Jade. We usually only had to deal with her at like…family gatherings; Christmas, Thanksgiving…Easter. And even then we tried to keep it to a minimal.”

“Does he have any other siblings?”

“Yeah, a younger sister, Isla. She’s always been a sweetheart to me. But I have no idea where she is or what she’s up to.” I studied the table top. “I lost touch with his family after his death.”

“Well, that’s understandable.”

“Yeah,” I lifted my head to meet his gaze, “can we talk about something else?”

“Sure, what do you want to talk about?” He pulled his burger closer again and resumed eating.

“Anything that doesn’t deal with my past.”

“How ‘bout your future?”

“Yeah and how’s that look?”

Alex chewed on his food and then wiped his mouth before speaking, “Well, from over here it looks pretty damn good.”

I offered up a small grin. “Yeah?”

He reached across the table and took my hand again. “Absolutely. Now eat your food.”

“I’m not hungry.”

“You need to eat something.” His expressive eyes watched me with concern.

Those eyes always made me melt. Begrudgingly, I pulled my plate closer. “Maybe a few bites.”

“That’s all I ask.” Then he returned to his own food and a comfortable silence fell around us.

Chapter Twenty-Eight by summer
Author's Notes:
Jade sure is a bitch, isn't she? LOL thanks for the feedback on that chp. I really wanted Morgan to deck her too, but AJ didn't want her in jail lol. Keep the awesome feedback coming and I'll keep posting the chapters! :) Enjoy this one, btw hehe.

 

It was early, the sun had yet to rise over the horizon and I was tucked under the blankets barely dozing. For some reason I had woken up early, too early. It was barely five a.m. and sleep was evading me. I knew it’d only be a couple more hours before I’d really have to be up and at ‘em, and that’s why I longed for as much rest and quiet as I could get.

Suddenly a small ping sounded from somewhere in the room and I stilled myself. What was that?

It came again and I tossed the covers from my head, pushing up on one elbow and glancing around.

Ping.

My eyes were pulled in the direction of the sound and I found myself watching the window. Was someone throwing gravel at my window? It dawned on me who might be doing that this early and I was quickly scrambling from the bed, shivering at the chill on the wood floor and hurrying over to the large window seat. Pulling the curtains back, I lifted the blinds and peered outside.

Alex stood on the lawn below. I had to squint and use the light spilling into the yard from the streetlamp to make sure I was correct, but I was.

So that was why he had wanted to know what window was mine that previous night when he’d finally dropped me back home. I couldn’t help but smile and unlatched the window, lifting it up and leaning outside at him. “What are you doing?” I questioned him in a shouted whisper. I didn’t want to wake everyone. They’d surely wonder why some strange man was in their yard throwing rocks at their house.

“Good morning,” he greeted me with an ear to ear grin.

The cool morning air brought goosebumps to my arms and I shivered. “It’s not morning yet, it’s like…five a.m.; what are you doing?”

“Well, I didn’t want to ring the bell and wake everyone, so I thought this might be my best approach.”

“Why are you here so early?”

He gave a little shrug. “I’m kidnapping you for the day. Get dressed and meet me down here.”

My brows rose despite the grin that formed over my lips. “I can’t just leave. Everyone will wonder where I went.”

“Then leave a note.”

“Where are we going this early? Nothing is open.”

“You’ll see, now c’mon, it’s cold out here.”

I hesitated, but only for a moment before relenting, “Okay, give me a few.”

His smile seemed to grow. “Great, I’ll be in my car. It’s out front.”

I nodded and watched him jog back towards the front yard then withdrew back inside and closed the window. I secured the latch then rubbed my arms and glanced around the room. It was way too early to be going out somewhere, but curiosity was getting the better of me and I was rather interested in where exactly he was going to take me. I didn’t have time to dwell on trying to figure it out. I had to get ready and sneak out of the house without waking anyone.

I couldn’t forget to leave a note either and I just knew the minute I stepped foot back inside the house they’d be alive with questions on why I had left them and where I had gone and who was I with. That almost made me change my mind, but I knew I couldn’t disappoint Alex. I just hoped no one was upset that I wasn’t going to be home. The visitations didn’t start until tomorrow and the funeral was Wednesday and I would definitely be there for those. What were a few hours anyway? If they needed something there were plenty of extra hands around. Besides, I was an adult and I could do what I pleased.

With that thought in mind, I gathered some jeans and a long sleeved tee. Despite it being spring, it was still chilly in Connecticut. Our warmest weather was definitely the summertime, but the north east was famous for being 20 degrees one day and 75 the next. So I grabbed a short sleeved shirt to wear underneath in case the day decided to warm up.

Fifteen minutes later, I was letting myself quietly out of the house and sneaking across the yard to where Alex was waiting. I had pulled my hair up into a simple ponytail and put on a light coat of makeup. My face was washed, teeth were brushed and I was thankful I had showered before bed. I’d also left a note for my parents and stuck it to the fridge, explaining that I was out with a friend and wasn’t sure when I’d be back, but I would return, wished them a good day and gave my love.

Alex leaned over the passenger seat and pushed the door open as I approached. I pulled it wider and slipped into the vehicle. “Okay, I’m here.”

“Hey,” he greeted me and allowed me to get settled before he leaned over and kissed my cheek.

I smiled and touched his jaw. “Hi.”

A grin tugged at his lips. “You look beautiful.”

“Thank you,” I breathed out softly, my fingers smoothing up over his cheek.

“You’re welcome,” he murmured just before brushing his lips softly over mine.

A soft little sigh escaped my mouth at that simple action and I wouldn’t have protested if he’d wanted to kiss me again.

Instead, he sat back and pulled his seatbelt across his chest. “You ready?”

I buckled my own belt. “Yes, where are we going?”

“You’ll see.” He put the car in gear then pulled away from the curb.

We drove along in silence for a few moments, but it was comfortable and I didn’t feel the need to have to speak. Alex’s hand was resting between the two seats as he steered us along with his left one. His fingers drummed the console and I reached over, taking it into mine and stilling his hand. He sent me a warm smile and squeezed my hand before resting it on my leg, our fingers entwined.

It felt natural to ride along like that. Softly, I smoothed my thumb over the soft skin between his own thumb and index finger and when our hands shifted, I lazily traced over the tattoos on his knuckles.

He gave a throaty chuckle. “What are you doing?”

“Looking at your tattoos.”

“Do you like ‘em?”

My eyes lifted and met his gaze and I suddenly felt this admiration filling me. “I think they’re beautiful.”

A smile formed on his lips and his gaze traveled back and forth between me and the road ahead. “All of them?”

My mind went back over the various tattoos he sported on his hands, neck, arms and chest and I gave a nod. “Every single one.”

Instead of a response, he pulled my hand over and pressed my knuckles to his mouth in a warm kiss. Then he rested our hands chest level and watched out at the road ahead.

I rode the rest of the way with a smile on my face.

Soon we had arrived at our destination and I noted the signs welcoming us to Mansfield Hollow State Park. I wondered why he was bringing me to a state park at 5:30 in the morning, but didn’t question him until we had parked and were making our way along the path that directed us toward Mansfield Hollow Lake.

“Are we going swimming, cuz I didn’t bring my suit?”

He chuckled and gave my hand a squeeze, tugging me along with him. “Could be skinny dipping.”

“It’s way too cold for that.” I shivered some at the thought. “It’s way too cold for swimming, period.”

He laughed then shook his head. “We’re not going swimming.”

Despite the fact that the sun hadn’t risen into the sky yet, the path wasn’t completely dark. A few lights from around the park lit the way and Alex had been smart and found a flashlight somewhere. Curiosity was really getting the better of me on what exactly he had planned, but I kept my mouth shut. I knew he wanted it to be a surprise and I didn’t want to spoil anything for him.

Soon, we were coming upon a clearing at the edge of a small hill that overlooked the crisp, clear lake.

“Here we go.” He slowed to a stop and my brows lifted at the tan colored blanket that already flanked the ground.

“What…what’s going on?”

He flicked the flashlight off and small slivers of light began to appear from the sun that was slowly beginning to come up above the crest of the lake. “There’s something I want you to see.” He sank down onto the blanket and patted the spot next to him. “Have a seat.”

I lowered down next to him. “Whose blanket is this?”

“I got it from the hotel.”

“When did you come out here to set it up?”

He leaned back on his hands and stretched his legs out before him. “Before I came and got you.”

I tucked my legs under me and watched him with a piqued interest. “What are we doing out here?”

He nodded toward the horizon and my gaze followed.

I inhaled a breath as the first lights from the sun were staring to illuminate the sky with various hues of orange, yellow and pink. The way the colors reflected off the clouds and filled the entire sky, it looked like the heavens were ablaze. Never before had I seen anything so breathtaking, so glorious, so beautiful and it filled me with awe.

As the sun began climbing higher and appearing over the horizon, I reached for Alex’s hand, holding it firmly with mine and seeing tears blur my vision. The upper atmosphere was alive with brilliant colors that continued to streak through the air, the clouds appearing to glow. This warmth began to fill me and we watched in silence as the sun appeared to be born again for the new day.

A new dawn was here and the earth was greeting it with open arms. Colors upon colors spilled overhead; mixing, mingling, coming together to create the perfect sunrise. The air began to warm and, with tears on my face, I finally looked away and over to my companion. I knew exactly why he had brought me here. “Thank you,” I managed out in a strangled whisper.

Alex reached over and wiped my cheeks, his thumbs smoothing along the skin just under my eyes. “You’re welcome,” his tone matched my own.

I reached up and caught his wrist, bringing his hand to my mouth and pressing a slow kiss to his palm.

“No matter what happens,” he spoke quietly, “every single day the sun rises just as beautiful as the day before.”

I gave a slight nod, continuing to press my lips to his palm. My insides were trembling and more tears began spilling down over my cheeks. He had finally shown me what he had been trying to tell me all along; I was still alive. And I could overcome.

“You’re like that sun, Morgan.” His free hand smoothed along my upper arm. “No matter what happens in your life, you just have to continue to rise. Like that sunrise, you’re still beautiful and have so much yet to offer. Even when clouds overtake and hide the sun, you know it’s still there; rising and setting, beating down day after day. It never gives up,” his eyes searched mine, “and neither can you.”

I fell into his embrace at those words and cried into his chest. He was right, truly and completely. I couldn’t give up; I couldn’t just lie down and try to fade away. I was still here and I couldn’t stop the time from continuing on. No matter what tragedies plagued me or tried to pull me under, in the end I was still alive. There was so much of me left to give and just like the sun rose every day, shining strong even amidst the clouds, I knew I could too. It had been buried deep, deep down, but it was finally surfacing. Thanks to this wonderful man who had taken a chance on me. He hadn’t given up and neither could I.

~*~*~*~*~

“Ugh, I don’t think I can move a muscle,” I groaned as I lay stretched out on a picnic blanket staring overhead at the clear blue sky, not a cloud in sight.

“No room for dessert?”

I turned my head to see Alex stretched out next to me, an amused expression on his face.

With a chuckle, I shook my head. “Not for awhile at least.”

“I guess I shoulda warned you we had dessert before letting you stuff yourself.”

I reached over and lightly pinched his arm. “You should have.”

It was hours after our sunrise expedition and the two of us had just finished stuffing ourselves with ham and turkey hoagies piled high with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, pickles and onions. Not to mention, the coleslaw, potato salad, fresh fruit and potato chips. I had been starving when we’d set up the picnic, and now I was stuffed to the brim. I probably wouldn’t even want to eat dinner.

After we’d left the state park, he’d driven us to a diner where we’d dined over scrambled eggs and waffles. Then it was off to a stable and we finally had our horseback riding date. Alex had even packed a picnic lunch and that’s what we were doing now; relishing in the fact that we’d both stuffed our faces until we couldn’t move. Our horses were tied off to the side near a small stream we’d come across.

I felt a lot better. That morning had been like an expunging of everything I’d been going through and now it was like a clean start. I felt at peace inside finally. It had been a long and hard road and I was finally at the journey’s end. Now it was time for the next chapter of my life. One that I could go into without holding back.

“Mmm, I think I could nap,” my date murmured from beside me.

I giggled low and lightly pinched his arm again. “No falling asleep.”

“Why not?”

“Cuz I’m not sleepy and if you sleep I’ll be bored.”

He gave a low laugh then rolled onto his side to look at me. “Alright, I won’t nap.”

I matched his grin with one of my own. “Good.”

He watched me a moment before pushing himself up into a sitting position. “There is something I want to talk to you about though.”

I turned my head to the side to see him better. “What’s that?”

“C’mere.” He reached a hand out and gently pulled me up next to him.

I knew it had to be something relatively serious. “What’s going on?”

His eyes darted about nervously and it made a small piece of fear creep up into my tummy.

“Alex,” I reached out and touched his cheek, forcing our eyes to meet, “what is it?”

After a heavy sigh, he finally spoke, “You remember how I told you I was an artist?”

I gave a little nod, thinking back on the various conversations we’d had when we had been getting to know one another at the start of whatever kind of relationship this was.

He wet his bottom lip before continuing, “Well, I wasn’t exactly honest with you on what type of artist I was…”

My brows furrowed just slightly. “What kind are you?” A blink. “Do you do nude photography?”

“No.” He shook his head and chuckled low. “But um…I’m not that kind of an artist.”

I was just a bit confused, but stayed quiet and let him continue.

“I’m…a musician kind of artist.”

“Okay.” Was he trying to get at something here? What was wrong with being a musician? Was he ashamed or embarrassed and think I’d think less of him? I wouldn’t care if he was one of those guys that follows the horses in the parade and scoops their poo. It didn’t matter to me what Alex did for a living.

His soul moving eyes bore into mine and for a moment I thought I saw a flicker of fear.

“Alex,” I took his hand with mine, “what is it?”

“You ever heard of The Backstreet Boys?”

My head gave a nod as I tried to figure out what was going on here. “Yeah, I used to listen to them in high school. But…what do they have to do with you?”

He let out a puff of air. “I’m…one of them.”

I think my eyes grew to the size of saucers and I gaped at him. “You’re….famous?”

It was his turn to nod and he pulled my hand up to his chest, holding it securely. “Yeah…on the celebrity level I’m known as AJ.”

I just stared at him.

“But, I don’t want that to change anything. I just… I had to let you know before things went any further.” His hand stroked mine and he watched me with a look of desperation.

I shook the feeling of shock from my body. “I… understand.”

“Do you really?”

“Yes, of course.” My lips formed a small smile and I touched his cheek with my free hand. “We haven’t had a very regular kind of relationship and,” I could feel a small laugh bubbling up, “I don’t care what you career is. I mean, I care cuz you know, I want you to like what you’re doing…but you could be a pooper scooper and it wouldn’t matter to me.”

He chuckled. “A pooper scooper?”

“Yeah,” I nodded, “you know, one of those people who follow the horses in the parades and cleans their poo all up.”

This time he laughed. “That’s disgusting.”

I giggled and shifted closer to him. “It is, but someone has to do it.”

“Definitely not me.” He pulled me into his lap, my back to his chest, and wrapped his arms around me, holding me close. “And you really are okay with the fact that I’m a celebrity?”

I relished in his embrace. “It seems very fitting.”

“Whatcha mean?” The hairs on his cheek tickled my skin as he lowered his head next to mine.

I giggled low at the feel. “Well, everything about …us… has felt so surreal and …different. I guess it’s very fitting that you have some …different kind of job.”

“That’s an interesting way to look at it.”

I touched his cheek, melting just a little bit as our eyes met. “Thank you for telling me.”

“Thank you for not freaking out.” His lips formed a crooked grin.

My hand moved down and I traced his bottom lip with my finger. “How come you waited so long to tell me?”

Softly, he kissed my finger. “It just didn’t seem like the right time. And I didn’t want you to freak out and run off or…” he trailed off.

I placed a soft kiss to the corner of his mouth. “Or, you didn’t want me to end up becoming one of those chicks that tries to get into the limelight, right?”

His body seemed to relax at that and he nodded. “Right.” A pause. “Are you upset?”

“No, not at all.” I cupped his cheek, my thumb smoothing soft circles on his skin. “Sometimes, you just have to wait for when the moment is right to talk about something. No matter how badly you may want to or not want to.” I was referring to more than just him of course.

He nodded and I was certain he understood that completely. “Exactly.”

I smiled then leaned in and kissed his mouth softly.

He moved a hand to my cheek and pulled me closer, matching my kiss and taking it up a notch. Slowly at first, just letting his mouth gently nip at my lower lip, taking his time as if he was savoring and enjoying, then his tongue teased at my lip until my mouth parted and our tongues met.

The kiss quickly grew more heated. Somehow, he shifted us to face each other and my arms wrapped around his neck, his smoothing to my back. Around us the air grew warmer and I found myself falling into him. His kisses chased all thoughts from my mind and a hard shiver raced down my spine as he teased the roof of my mouth with the tip of his tongue.

I matched his passion with my own and when I heard the tiny groan in his throat, I swept my tongue into his mouth to taste him. He was sweet and spicy all at once and it flooded my senses, urging more from the kiss and him.

He responded and our tongues dueled together, his arms holding me securely against his body. I could feel his hard chest pressed against mine and wondered if he could feel the beating of my heart as it pounded against my ribcage.

Hands began roaming as mouth became more insistent, demanding more heat and fervor from the other. He pushed my shirt up some and the warmth of his hands on my bare skin nearly caused me to crumble. One hand snaked into his hair, fingers curling in the dark locks and as he tore his mouth from mine to place those hot kisses along my throat, I groaned his name with a hot need.

I could feel the shudder run through him at that and he lifted his head, his chest heaving against mine.

When he spoke, his voice was low and throaty, “There’s…still…one more thing we need to do today…”

I forced my eyes open, trying to focus on his face and bring my brain under control so I could comprehend what he was saying.

He chuckled low at my expression and kissed my lips lightly. “Then after, we can continue this because this is something I very much wish to continue.”

I cleared my throat some and found my voice, “What’s that?”

Very gently, Alex shifted me off his lap and back onto the blanket. Then he slipped over to the picnic basket and lifted the lid. “You’ll find out soon enough, but first,” he pulled out two spoons and a little ice chest, “what do you say to having some dessert?”

Chapter Twenty-Nine by summer
Author's Notes:
Thank you so much guys! You have no idea how grateful I am for all your wonderful words and awesome reviews! I really take what each of you says to heart and I try my hardest to get the chps done in a timely fashion for you ..and make 'em something you'll love! I hope you'll keep the comments coming because I'm having too much fun with this story. So please enjoy this chp! :)

 

The shady tree lined road of Memorial Drive was familiar to me. Too familiar. And the cemetery that sat at the end with wrought iron gates and bold black lettering almost made my stomach churn.

“What are we doing here?” I questioned Alex as he drove us under the arch labeled with Coventry Cemetery. This really was the last place I wanted to be today.

He kept his dark eyes on the path ahead of us. “When was the last time you were here?”

I fiddled with the seatbelt. “Two years ago.”

“Just his funeral? Or have you come after that?”

I felt a little guilty about my next words, “Just his funeral.”

His dark eyes met mine. “How come?”

I sighed and tugged on a strand of my hair. “Do we have to talk about this?”

“No,” he shook his head and slowed a bit more, moving around a car parked on the side of the path, “but you do have to tell me where his plot is.”

My brows lifted. “Why?”

“Cuz, that’s where we’re going.”

“What? Why?”

He slowed at an intersection. “Right or left?”

I sank back into the seat. “Right. Then another right and it’s just past the large stone that says Benson on it, under the willow tree.”

He followed the directions and soon we were parked at the edge of the path, Hugh’s grave across the way.

I stared out the front windshield then brought myself to meet Alex’s gaze. “Why did you bring us here?”

He reached over and pushed the release on my seatbelt. “This morning with the sunrise, you realized that you are really able to overcome and that you’ve got so much left to live for.”

I waited for him to continue, not speaking a word.

He pushed the belt from around me and sat back, releasing his own. “And now, it’s time for you to realize that you’ve got to say goodbye.” His hand shot out and caught my chin before I could look away or argue. “You’re not forgetting, you’re just saying goodbye. Letting go isn’t the end of the world, Morgan; it’s actually the beginning of a new life.”

I felt a lump form in my throat and could only nod. I knew this day would one day eventually come. I had been dreading it, trying to push it away, trying to hide from it. Maybe that’s one of the reasons I took off to California. I didn’t want to say goodbye. But now I knew I needed to. It was time to let Hugh rest in peace and let me live in peace. It was time for me to let go off all the suffering, lost, helplessness and sorrow I’d been holding onto so strongly for the last couple years. It didn’t mean I was forgetting Hugh, I would never forget Hugh. And it didn’t mean that he would mean any less to me, it simply meant that I was finally accepting that there are just some things that no matter how badly you want them, they just cannot be.

“Hey,” Alex brushed away a stray tear, “Henry Beecher once said; ‘What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose.’.”

I blinked some. “Who is Henry Beecher?”

He chuckled. “A prominent figure from the 19th century. It’s a quote.”

“Oh.”

“It’s true though.”

I watched him and gave a nod. “Yes, it is.”

He chuckled again then leaned over me and opened my door. “Do you want me to go with you?”

I caught his shoulder before he could sit right again. “No.”

His face hovered just inches from mine. “You sure?”

“Yeah.” I nodded some then closed the space between us and kissed his mouth softly.

He grinned against my lips and kissed me back, keeping it soft and sweet, just nibbling gently at my mouth.

Finally, he sat back and gave my hand an encouraging squeeze. “I’ll be here.”

“Kay.” I pushed some stray hair from my face and finally slipped from the vehicle. Shutting the door, I adjusted the bottom of my shirt around my waist and crossed in front of the car, heading slowly onto the grass towards Hugh’s grave.

Inside, my heart was starting to beat a little faster and I could feel my palms growing damp. I rubbed them on my jeans then fiddled with the hem of my shirt, needing to keep them busy with something. The lump that had started in my throat in the car was now the size of a golf ball and I nearly turned and fled back to the safety of the car quite a few times. But my feet kept on and soon I was standing before his grave, the headstone still polished and a shiny black.

My teary eyes read over the words inscribed on the front and I slowly sank to my knees.

Hugh Gregory Weston
February 4th 1982-April 20th 2007
Cherished son, loving husband; forever in our hearts

I read the headstone over and over until the words blurred from the tears in my eyes. “Hugh…” I managed out in a small, shaken tone. Gingerly, I reached out and my fingers smoothed over the cool marble. “I’m… so sorry….I… should have come sooner, I should have come… a lot sooner.”

A soft wind blew through the trees and the leaves rustled.

“I just…. I didn’t know how to handle it. What….what to say…” Despite the tremors in my voice, it held up. I took a shaken breath and wiped my cheeks with the sleeves of my long sleeved shirt. “I still….I still don’t know what to say.”

The breeze tickled my face and I glanced around. Could there be some kind of supernatural force at work? After a moment, I frowned at that thought. There were no such things as ghosts, or spirits passing messages from beyond.

“But, I’m here now,” I continued. “And….I’ll be coming back when I’m in town. I…I’ll never forget you.” I touched the stone again and the breeze took that moment to blow stronger, sending goosebumps racing along the back of my neck.

I tried to push it out of my mind. “I’ve…met someone.” I could feel my stomach starting to churn and tried so hard to squelch the fear that wanted to grow. “His name is Alex…and he’s….” I searched for the right words, “he’s…so wonderful to me. He really likes me….and….” I almost felt guilty with the rest of the sentence, “I really like him too.”

Suddenly, the breeze stopped and a quietness filled the air around me. My eyes darted around. Okay, that was weird.

Trying to shrug it off, I smoothed my hands on my jean clad legs and took a shaky breath, letting it out slowly. “So…that means that I have to let you go…..I’ve…been holding on to you for far too long. And…” fresh tears began filling my eyes, but I didn’t wipe them away, “and I can’t do that anymore….you’re…. you’re gone and …I have to move on.”

The wind blew softly again, like it was caressing my face.

My eyes closed and I sat there quietly for a minute, listening to the leaves rustling and a bird in the distance. And in that moment, I knew everything was going to be okay. Hugh was letting me go and I was ready to let go.

Blinking my teary eyes open, I touched his name on the cool stone, allowing my fingers to trace the lettering. “This is goodbye,” I whispered. “Thank you for everything we had and shared. You’ll always have a place here,” I touched that spot over my heart, “forever.” And with that, I kissed my fingertips then pressed them to the headstone, holding them there and just letting the tears silently flow.

Finally, after they had dried from my cheeks, I made my way back to the car and slipped inside. Alex handed me a tissue and I wiped my eyes, cheeks and nose.

“You okay?” He questioned, not moving to start the vehicle quite yet.

I only nodded, already feeling like another weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I knew from somewhere up in the heavens, wherever Hugh was at, that he was smiling down at me.

Alex shifted and leaned over, placing a kiss to my temple before sitting back and reaching for his seatbelt. “You ready to go?”

I cleared my throat before responding, “Yeah.”

He hesitated. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

I looked to him, watching him with a mixed look of admiration and gratefulness. “Yeah.” I reached out and took his hand, drawing it to my mouth and pressing a gentle kiss to it. “I’m really okay.”

“Good,” he sounded relieved then finally started the car and put it into drive. “So, where to now?”

I straightened my shirt then pulled my own seatbelt over my chest and snapped it into place. “Anywhere but home; I’m not ready to see them yet.” ‘Or leave you’, I thought to myself.

“Okay,” he stated once we were driving along the path and heading for the exit. He reached over and took my hand, resting it on his leg. “We’ll go find something else to do.”

That sounded wonderful to me. As I relaxed back in the seat and watched out the side window at the headstones we passed, I thought back on the past couple years of my life. Sometimes, you wake up to a day that affects your whole life. A day that changes the way you think about everything and everyone. A day that changes things and you know nothing will ever be the same. That happened to me on April 18th 2007 and it happened to me again today.

~*~*~*~*~

That something else ended up being relaxing in Alex’s suite at the hotel, lying on the sofa with my head in his lap and his fingers stroking through my hair. I stared up at the creamy white ceiling and wiggled my bare toes, my feet propped up on the arm at the other end. It was just past dinner time and we’d pulled through the drive-thru of a Wendy’s on the way to the hotel. I was full again, but not as stuffed as earlier. And now I was just relaxing and trying to not think about my family that was probably worried sick about me. Maybe I should call them. My mom had left several messages on my phone, which I’d managed to avoid listening to until after I finished my Frosty.

“What’s wrong?”

Alex’s question cut through my thoughts and I brought my eyes to his face. “Just thinking about if I should call my parents; they’re worried sick, I’m sure.”

He played with the ends of my hair. “You might should.”

“What would I tell them?”

His eyes twinkled at me. “That you met some sexy man who has swept you off your feet and taken you away to his hotel room.”

I laughed and nudged his arm. “Oh yeah, right.”

“You could do it just to see what they say.”

I giggled then slowly sat up, swinging my feet to the floor. “I need to tell them something.”

“What I suggested.” He reached out and poked my side.

I jerked and grabbed at his hand. “I can’t tell them that.”

He laughed then leaned forward and kissed my neck. “Tell them that you’re with your friend and will be home later. They have no reason to worry and you’re perfectly safe.”

I snatched up my phone from the coffee table there and rose to my feet. “I’ll try; we’ll see how well it goes.” Then flipping it open, I pressed my mother’s memory and listened to it ring.

She answered on the second ring, “Hello?”

“Hey, Mom,” I greeted her, glancing over to Alex.

“Morgan? Where are you, honey? I’ve been trying to reach you all day.”

I wet my bottom lip. “I’m with a friend, Mom. I’m sorry I didn’t get your calls, we’ve just been busy.”

“Doing what? Who are you with? Your note was very vague. What time did you leave this morning? Your father was up at six and you were already gone.”

I chuckled low at her barrage of questions. “Just…doing things. I can’t stay at the house with everyone sitting around talking about Poppy all day, Mom. As much as I love you and I love him,” a tremor sounded in my voice, “but I just… I can’t do it.”

She sensed the tone of my voice. “Alright, that’s okay, honey. We were just worried about you.”

I rubbed my forehead and sank back down onto the couch, my shoulders sagging some as Alex reached over and smoothed his hand over my back. “I’m sorry I worried you.”

“It’s okay, baby. You’re an adult and you don’t have to answer to us.”

“I know, but I don’t want to worry you. I’m okay though.”

“Alright, Morgan.” I wasn’t sure if she really believed me.

I gave a nod and peeked to the phone. “I’ll be home later.”

“Tomorrow is Poppy’s visitation. It starts at six, but they want us at the funeral home by five.”

“I’ll be there, Mom. I’ll be home long before that. Tonight even.” My tone softened, “No worries, okay?”

She sighed through the phone. “Okay, baby. Just, be careful. I love you.”

I smiled. “I love you too. Bye.” Lowering the phone, I flipped it shut and looked to Alex.

“Well, that wasn’t so bad.”

“Not at all.” I shook my head and sank back fully into the back of the couch, stretching my legs out in front of me. “She’s dying to know who I’m with though and what we’re doing.”

He chuckled and slipped my phone from my hands, placing it back on the coffee table. “When do you want me to meet them?”

I met his gaze, feeling chills going through me at the way those eyes looked at me. “Um…when do you want to meet them?”

“Whenever you want me to.”

I studied him, just taking in everything I could; his eyes, the shape of his lips, his long lashes, the scar on his ear, how his brows moved slightly from his facial expressions.

“What?”

I smiled softly and reached a hand to his face, smoothing my fingers over his cheek. “The moment I met you, I stopped existing and started living.”

A grin tugged at the corners of his mouth and his hand reached up and caught mine. “The moment I met you, I knew you were exactly what I needed.”

“Really?” My eyes searched his face, a strange sensation entering my chest.

He gave a little nod and brushed some hair from my forehead. “Really. You were a mess; in tears with your hair all askew, but I knew in that instant that…you were everything I would ever need.”

The strange sensation inside my chest grew even more. “I….I was so lost and alone…and afraid. And you,” tears began to fill my eyes as I remembered that day, “didn’t give up on me. You….brought me back from the edge… you gave me direction and meaning again.”

His thumb wiped the tears from under my eyes. “I just pointed you in the right direction.”

I shook my head, feeling that sensation starting to squeeze my chest and cause more tears to spring to my eyes. “You…were everything I didn’t know I needed.”

“But you know now, right?”

I nodded and grabbed his hand, kissing his palm then his wrist. Inside, the pressure was filling my lungs and I knew I probably needed to say something, but at the moment I could hardly breathe.

“What are you thinking?” Alex questioned softly.

I watched him, that pressure spilling into the rest of my body and the strange feeling making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up straight. Suddenly, I knew what it was. I was in love with this man. That thought brought me crashing back to reality and I reared back from him, a look of fear crossing my eyes.

“Whoa, what’s wrong?” He held my hand firmly, not letting me escape. “Morgan?”

“I… I need to go,” the words stammered out and I tried to rise from the couch, but Alex still held my hand.

“What’s going on?” He tugged me back to a sitting position. “You’re suddenly freaking out. What happened?”

I just shook my head, having the strongest need to suddenly be out of that room and away from him.

“Morgan!” He grabbed my shoulders and forced our eyes to meet, a firm expression on his face. “What are you running from? Something you don’t want or something you’re afraid to want?”

I shrunk under his harsh gaze, biting my bottom lip to hold back any tears that may want to escape.

“I know what you’re thinking,” Alex continued when I didn’t give a verbal response, “because I’m thinking it too.”

That made my blood freeze and I gaped at him. “Wh…you…” the words were caught in my throat.

“Yes.” He nodded firmly. “Morgan, I-”

“Don’t say it!”

He blinked at the words that spilled from my lips, but didn’t let it faze him. “Yes.”

“No,” I shook my head, “you can’t.”

Alex lifted one brow as he watched me. “Why not, you do.”

“No.” I tried to rise again, but he pulled me back down.

“Yes.”

“No.”

“Yes.”

And then he was cutting off my next words with a kiss; one so hot that it scorched my blood and stole my breath away. It was demanding, but not forceful, and as his tongue invaded my mouth and claimed it for his own; I was pulled under and lost in all that was Alex. He made my head spin and I quickly lost all thoughts with our conversation. All that filled me was the need for more, the want for more and the desire for more.

My hands began to roam over his back and up into his hair and he pulled me closer, pressing our chests together. I could feel his hard chest and stomach against my own and it made my insides tremble. The growing need was getting stronger and I began to kiss him back with just as much want as he was giving me.

One of his hands held the back of my head firmly to keep our mouths together, the other began to smooth over my side, his thumb brushing the side of my breast. When I arched more against him, he took that opportunity to shift us and lay me back against the sofa, moving over me, our mouths never breaking contact.

My fingers curled into his shirt and inside my chest, my heart was beginning to beat so loud and hard I thought it was going to come right out my mouth. But I didn’t care about any of that, I only wanted more of what he was offering. And whatever he gave, I took.

And then as quickly as it started, it ended. Alex tore his mouth from mine, his chest giving ragged heaves against my own.

A throaty whimper sounded from me as he broke the kiss and I shivered, feeling my lips puffy and face flushed. I kept my eyes closed, trying to keep my mind from clearing and my thoughts from organizing.

“Let me make love to you.”

His words cut through me like a knife to butter and my eyes fluttered open, meeting his gaze. Chills shot down my spine and I could only squeak out a response, not even sure what I was saying.

“Is that a yes?” He placed a soft trail of kisses along my neck, his teeth nipping ever so lightly.

I found myself nodding my head and murmuring out the response he oh so badly wanted to hear, “Yes.”

And then he was lifting off me, taking my hands and helping me stand from the couch.

Inside, I felt like a ball of nerves. It had been years since I’d been with a man and Hugh had been the only man at that. Thoughts of not being good enough, or not doing the right thing or him hating it filled me and I nearly stopped walking.

But Alex urged me on, kissing my knuckles and letting those intense eyes of his bore right into me. “It’s going to be okay.”

For some reason, his words calmed me and I allowed him to guide me toward the bedroom. Once there, he pushed the door open then kissed my mouth softly. “You trust me, right?”

I could only nod, not able to find words at the moment.

“Good.” He offered up a comforting smile and touched my cheek. “Then just trust me, okay, baby?”

“Okay,” I whispered out and watched as he kissed my fingers then led me inside the bedroom, the door closing securely behind us.

Chapter Thirty by summer
Author's Notes:
Hehe, kinda left you hanging with that one didn't I? I'm sorry, and I hope this next chapter makes it worthwhile. Thanks so much for the feedback! You guys are so awesome and I love posting the chps for everyone to read. Hope you like this one and I'd love to know your thoughts. :) Enjoy!

 

One of the most terrifying, yet best feelings in the world is when your stomach is tied in knots because you know something incredible is about to happen. You’re scared to death, but excited at the same time. You have that nervous energy that makes your heart knock in your chest and your palms grow damp. That’s how I felt when I entered into the bedroom in Alex’s hotel suite. I nearly turned around and walked right back out, but I knew he’d only come after me. I wanted to do this. I wanted to be with him in this way, yet at the same time, I was questioning on rather or not this was the right decision. Did it matter how soon or long two people waited to make love when they were in love?

“Don’t be nervous,” Alex spoke low in my ear as he drew me further into the room.

“I…I can’t help it,” I whispered in a barely there voice.

“I know, baby.” He stopped halfway to the bed and faced me, smoothing his hands down along my arms.

I watched him, feeling the blood in my ears starting to pulse. “I…it’s…um… it’s…been a long time,” I finally stammered out.

One hand reached up and cupped my cheek. “That’s okay.”

I could only nod, watching him with such a vulnerable and expressive look.

“I’m going to take care of you,” he murmured the words softly before his hands found mine and he pulled them up around his neck, his mouth meeting mine and his kiss taking me under.

I submitted to him, quickly losing myself in his touches, feeling his intoxicating scent surrounding me, filling me and making me long for more. My fingers smoothed up into his hair, feeling the silky strands before curling in them. Our tongues dueled together in a heated dance and he drew me closer against his body. I could feel the muscles in his chest and stomach, feel his thighs pressed against mine, feel the way his hands stroked my back. It made my head spin and my heart hammer loudly in my ears.

Then he was pulling back and my shirt was coming up and off. He tossed it to the side and the short sleeved one underneath quickly followed. Those dark eyes seemed to grow even darker with desire as they raked over my half naked form. Then he dipped his head and soft, hot, open mouthed kisses were placed along my neck towards my shoulder. His fingertips ghosted along my back and up to my shoulders and he held me firmly as one hand slipped beneath a bra strap and he let it fall over my shoulder.

I inhaled a breath at that, feeling my insides trembling and that ball of nerves heavy in my stomach.

His tongue swirled against my skin, causing chills to race right down my spine and as deftly as he’d lowered one strap, he had the other one off my shoulder as well. Then his strong hands fumbled just slightly with the clasp and soon he was pulling back and letting my bra drop to the side.

Part of me felt frozen in my spot, but when I heard the small grunt from him and saw the way his eyes were drinking me in, a blush spread over my cheeks and the feeling of desire seeped up through me.

“You’re so beautiful, baby,” the words flowed like silk from his mouth and he every so slightly skimmed his fingers over my sides.

My breath was caught in my throat as I stood so exposed and vulnerable before him. But instead of claming up like my mind was screaming at me to do, I reached out and took hold of the bottom of his shirt, pulling it up and off with his help. He had a white tee underneath and soon that joined the pile of clothes slowly mounting on the floor. Taking a step closer, I felt his warm chest brush my breasts and tiny goosebumps rose on my skin. Slowly, I lifted my hands and smoothed them from his stomach up to his pecs, letting my fingers dance on him and explore how smooth his skin felt.

“Mmm,” The sound reverberated from inside his chest and his fingers found the button on my jeans, popping it open with ease. He lowered the zipper then had my pants around my ankles before I even realized it. Coaxing me to step out of them, he then lifted me into his arms and carried me to the bed.

I felt the soft comforter beneath me and as my head rested back on the bounty of pillows, I caught his hand and tried to sit up.

“No.” He gently eased me back, moving off the bed and undoing his belt, allowing his own pants to fall to the floor. After kicking them away, he crawled up over me, his body hovering over mine. There was a twinkle of amusement in his eyes and he kissed my nose then my cheeks before leaning back and reaching for my panties.

Wetting my bottom lip, my head turned slightly to the side and I watched as he ever so slowly peeled my underwear down my legs and tossed them from the bed. Now I was completely exposed and my skin began to immediately blush at the thought.

“God, you’re gorgeous,” he rasped out as he smoothed his hands, palm flat, along the insides of my thighs.

I shivered at his touch, taking a breath and finding my fingers curled in the blanket at my sides. “Thank you,” I managed in a whispered tone.

“You’re welcome,” he murmured back before dipping his head and placing a soft kiss to my pelvis bone.

The feel of his warm lips on such an intimate place caused tiny little tickles to spread through me. I reached a hand for his head, just wanting to feel his hair beneath my fingers.

His mouth chased kisses from one side to the next and he flicked his tongue out, teasing at my skin with it.

I was slowly relaxing, allowing myself to relish in the flood of sensations and feelings that were fighting to take over. I allowed them to seep through me, filling every little part and driving my body to want more. His mouth was now slowly making its way over my stomach and a soft groan spilled from my own as his tongue dipped into my belly button.

He responded with an ‘mmm’ and as his hands slid up my sides, brushing my breasts every so slightly, he nibbled his way over my ribs towards my chest.

I knew what was coming and tensed ever so little as the hot warmth from his mouth sought out the hardened peaks of my breasts. One hand covered one completely, giving it a firm squeeze as he drew the other into that mouth, swirling and flicking his tongue. An explosion of tingles shot down to my very core and I arched towards him, the soft groan now a bit louder and throatier. One hand was still curled in his hair and my other found his back, gripping to it firmly as those feelings I’d long ago forgotten about suddenly came rushing back.

My body needed him, I needed him and he knew this. He used it to his advantage and caught the nipple between his teeth, giving a shake of his head and teasing my other with his fingers. He continued these actions, alternating breasts until I was trembling beneath him, whimpering his name in breathy little pants.

Then he pulled back, those hands gliding with pressure down over my stomach to my legs. He eased my thighs apart with his knee and leaned back over me, taking my mouth with his and once again pulling me under and so far into him I didn’t know what way was out. His tongue sought out mine and drew it into his mouth and I dizzily kissed him, stroking his tongue and exploring his mouth as if I were memorizing it.

When his hands smoothed up my thighs to my center, I groaned into his mouth. Goosebumps danced over my body as his fingers did their own exploring and I reached for him, lifting towards his caresses and knowing he had broken down every wall that surrounded me. All I wanted was more and when he tore his mouth from mine to watch my face, I voiced it; murmuring and pleading for him to continue, to do more, to give me more.

“What do you want?” He questioned in a thick tone, a smirk tugging at his lips and his eyes so round and dark.

I whimpered, giving a little gasp as his fingers found their way inside me, filling me and stroking my deepest and most intimate of places. “I…I…want you…” I managed out, trying to pull him closer, needing to feel his body completely against mine. I needed to feel more than just his fingers filling me. I wanted all of him.

“I’m right here, baby,” he murmured then nipped at my throat up towards my ear. His hand twisted some and he scissored his long fingers, driving my hips to buck from the feelings that coursed through me.

“N…n…no…” I tried to speak, but couldn’t form any complete sentences. Too many strong feelings of pleasure were hailing down on me and making the blood in my veins burn. I was trembling, my thighs quivering and my chest heaving fast. I tried to pull him to me again but his thumb suddenly found that little bud of pleasure and I fell apart.

“Mm, no, Morgan, keep your eyes open, baby,” he instructed from above me. “I wanna see you.”

I tried to fight the need to close them, but his hand was driving me to the edge of losing total control over my body. I whimpered and groaned, my hips dancing and squirming from the sensations that had taken over. When his thumb teased at the swollen bud again, I gave a shriek and jerked hard.

“That’s it,” he whispered in a throaty tone. “Just let go, baby.”

And I did. The surge of pressure up my legs nearly made me sit up as my toes curled into the blankets and my back lifted from the bed. My head fell back and my eyes rolled some, that intense heat suddenly engulfing me and drowning me in the sweet and welcoming pleasures. Explosions went off inside my core and I wasn’t even aware of the sobbed cries that filled the room. It felt like a flood of heat was pouring over me and filling my veins. They burned and my lungs strained for air as that pressure squeezed them tight, taking over every part of me.

Alex continued to work his hand, driving me out there even farther, eliciting sounds that made him shiver right down his spine.

If I had been able to crawl up the bed and away from the sensations that were taking me under and unraveling me completely I would have, but all I could do was fall apart completely until his hand finally lessened and he slowly brought me back down from the earth shattering climax.

It left me trembling like a leaf, little jerks and twitches coming from my hips. My chest heaved hard and fast and my body was flushed deeply, a light sheen of dampness over my skin. Inside my head, my thoughts were a jumbled mess and I didn’t have the energy or even want to straighten them out. As I forced my eyes open and tried to clear the blurry haze from them, Alex shifted his body and moved over me, pressing his hard chest against mine and wrapping an arm under me and holding me closer to him.

“You’re amazing,” he voiced in a strained, but rather sexy, tone. Then he was kissing me again and I did my best to keep up.

He was like a drug; making you crave for more, making you need more, making you take more. My muscles felt like rubber, but my hands made their way to his back and up into his hair, just needing to feel him and be as close as I could be. He shifted between my legs and I felt the bareness of his hips brushing mine. Instinctively, I drew my legs up, breaking our contact to gulp in a breath of air and watch his face.

“God, baby,” he panted as he shifted himself against me, brushing himself over me and his lids fluttering from the heat that seeped between us.

I gasped at the feel of how hard he was, smoothing a hand over his cheek and arching towards him. “Mm, Alex….” I drew his name out then gave a little squeak as he angled his hips and used one hand to help himself press into me. He was thick, and hard and throbbing and as he gently eased into my heat, I clung to him, trembling and trying to relax.

“It’s okay,” he murmured, drawing his hips back ever so slightly then pressing in deeper. “Shit…”

My eyes widened at that and I smoothed my arms around his neck, my heart pounding hard against my chest and echoing in my ears. I trembled against him and as he sank fully into me, shudders moving visibly through his body, I drew my legs up and wrapped them around him, I needed him as close as he could get.

“God…” he groaned as he held himself still a moment, watching my face through fluttery lids.

I could feel myself rippling around him and inhaled a shaky breath. Slowly, one hand withdrew from around his neck and I smoothed it over his cheek. He was absolutely beautiful with those full lashes and the look of need and desire shining in his eyes. I felt a tug on my heartstrings at the look we were sharing then leaned my head up and kissed his mouth softly.

He sighed against my lips before catching my bottom one in his teeth and nibbling it playfully. I couldn’t help but giggle and he responded with a low chuckle.

“Mm, shit, woman,” he responded after breaking contact and wrapping both his arms back around my body. “You feel so damn good, Morgan.”

I shivered at the tone of his voice and a soft moan came forward as he began to move his hips, drawing them back then pressing into me again. “Ooh.”

“Yeah, you like that?” He watched me and wiggled his hips side to side then gave a few long strokes.

The pleasures his actions evoked were beginning to fill me again and it drove my own hips to meet his thrusts. “Ye…yes…” I panted between breaths.

My words urged him on and together we moved. It was an exotic dance and the way our bodies fit together made it seem like they were created that way. His strong arms held me to his chest and I could feel his heart pounding there, matching my own beat for beat. I needed to feel him and stroked my hands over his back then up through his hair, relishing in the smoothness of his skin and the warmth from his body.

It felt like a dream; the intoxicating pleasures that were taking over, how perfectly we matched each other, his mouth on my skin as he kissed slowly along my neck. It elicited murmurs and small groans and I rose to meet his movements, having that urge to be as close as I could get. Inside, I was trembling and could feel that slow burn filling my veins, but it felt so good. We were connected on more than just a physical level and as the wonderful sensations filled me, I knew I had let go and had fallen completely into him.

And he had fallen into me. He filled my body, my spirit, my mind, my soul. Time seemed to be standing still as hands explored and mouths tasted salty skin. The world around us had long ago fallen away and for the moment only two existed; two souls that had been lost until a single moment, until a fateful day when their words collided and they were thrust together. Nothing mattered except this moment; nothing before and nothing after. Everything right now was exactly what was needed; two people finding hope again, two people finding life, two people sharing love.

Alex had opened me up; purged my soul and showed me how to let go and how to love again. It was a moment I wanted to remember forever and I traced my fingers over his face, trying to memorize his features, watching the way his lids fluttered at what was happening between us. Softly, I whispered his name and our eyes met, tingles of pleasure shooting straight into my stomach.

“M…Morgan…” My name slipped from his mouth and he reached a hand back, smoothing it over my thigh and drawing my leg up higher.

He was flush against me, but it felt like he moved even deeper and I arched against him, trembling and trying to hold him as close as I could. I needed him here like this always and suddenly tears were dotting my eyes. I tried to blink them away, but more just flowed into their place, dampening my lashes and sliding down the sides of my face.

“Baby.” He reached up and smoothed the wetness away then kissed my eyelids.

I couldn’t speak, I couldn’t breathe, I couldn’t even think. All I could do was feel; the emotions he was stirring up, the pressure that was starting in my toes and slowly working its way into my legs, how my thighs trembled against him, his hard chest against mine as he held me tighter and whispered my name into my ear. My head was starting to spin and my whimpered sounds grew louder. I strained against him when my body began to grow tighter, my toes curling into the sheets. My hands clung to his back and I twisted my head side to side, having that urge to squirm beneath him.

“God,” he groaned out as he felt how I reacted to the slow and intense climax that was starting to take over my body. Releasing me, he pushed himself up on his hands and watched my face with a look that was loving, yet his eyes simmered with an unbridled heat. “Let it come, baby,” he grunted as his body began to thrust harder and faster, urging my release forward. “Just let it come.”

I panted his name, feeling my eyes roll back and a burning wave of passion suddenly explode in my core and fill my entire body. Then his name came again, louder and in a tone I didn’t even recognize, but drove him to continue his movements and cause my release to completely take over. It hailed down on me, pulling me under and taking me to a place long forgotten. My eyes closed tight and sobbed whimpers came as my lungs began to squeeze. It felt like I was on fire; a roar filled my ears and I gripped him tight, feeling like I was breaking apart piece by piece.

And in the midst of the earth shattering around and inside me, his own release surged up and through him and he shouted my name, his eyelids fluttering as he forced them to stay open and locked on my face.

I groaned at that, trying to keep up with his movements, but the sensations and feelings were too intense and he gripped my hips, his fingers pressing into my skin as he rocked me to his motions.

Alex continued to groan my name, mixing in curses as he drove us both past the edge and making my entire body tremble against his. I thought I was spiraling to a place I’d never come back from and I tried to speak, but I couldn’t even breathe. He consumed me, used me, took me even farther than I had ever been and didn’t stop until my heart was pounding in my ears and my lungs were screaming for air.

And then his body began to slow. He kissed my chest, my neck, my throat, my cheeks, my eyes, my nose and my lips, murmuring words of content and pleasure between each one. His hands smoothed back around me and he pulled me to his chest, holding me close in an attempt to still the trembles that racked my body. Ducking his head, he pressed his mouth to the soft spot where my collarbone meets my neck and finally stilled his body.

I could feel the dampness from his skin mixing with mine, feel how his chest heaved hard against my own, feel his heart pounding away against his ribcage. It mirrored my own body and I gave a soft groan, finally releasing his back from a hard grip and allowing my hands to smooth weakly along his skin.

He turned his head and gave a cough, clearing his throat and inhaling a deep breath before speaking, “Shit, baby.”

His voice sounded distorted in my ears and I had to shake my head to clear the fog from them. I felt like I was going to melt right into the bed and to the floor; my muscles were heavy and I wasn’t sure I’d be able to speak, let alone see clearly. Slowly, I opened my eyes, having to blink them a few times to get things into focus and then I was met with his gaze. A blush went from my cheeks right to my toes and I had to look away.

“Morgan?” He reached a hand and tilted my face back to his, concern moving into those soul stripping eyes.

I couldn’t speak quite yet, let alone get my thoughts organized; it felt like everything was jumbled in my head and more tears quickly came to the surface.

“Why are you crying, baby?”

I didn’t have the answer to that. I was feeling all kinds of emotions and had the urge to push him away and never let him go at the same time. I felt lost and vulnerable, and then suddenly alone when he shifted his body off mine and settled beside me, pulling me against his chest and smoothing his hand along my cheek.

“Baby, it’s okay.”

I just shook my head.

“Morgan,” his voice grew firmer and again he forced our eyes to meet. “What is going on?”

But I didn’t know what was going on. All I knew was that I was suddenly very scared and my heart was beating faster, but for a different reason this time. I pushed against his arms and tried to sit up; the strongest need to get out of that room was rising in my chest.

“Ooh no.” He held me firmly against him. “I am not letting you run away from this.”

I struggled in a vain attempt. “I…I need to go.”

“You’re staying right here.” He wasn’t budging.

“No,” I continued to push at his arms, “you don’t understand.”

He forced me to my back and shifted over me again, pinning me with his body. “Then help me to understand.”

I watched him for a moment and then suddenly began to cry. “I’m… scared…”

“I know.” He stroked my cheek then ducked his head some to force our eyes to connect. “It’s a scary thing.”

“I…I don’t know if I can do this,” I sniffled out.

“Why not?”

“Because…” I wet my bottom lip and spoke through my tears, “what if I lose you?”

The corners of his mouth curled into a slight smile. “I’m not going anywhere.”

“Hugh didn’t think he was either.”

His smile fell and he gave a heavy sigh, shifting back to the side and sitting up. “I can’t tell you what life’s going to throw at us, that’s just a risk everyone takes. But I’m not going to let you go because you’re scared of having to go through something like that again.” He watched me with a firm gaze. “I think what we can do for each other, what we are to each other is worth that risk. Sometimes, you just gotta close your eyes and jump, because it might be worth the fall.”

Slowly, I reached for him. “I’m sorry. You’re right. Inside, I’m so scared and afraid that I’ll find that happiness again and in the blink of an eye it’ll be taken away.”

He gave a nod and took my hand, pulling it to his mouth and kissing the palm. “I understand.”

“But…I’ll keep trying, just …don’t let me go.” My eyes pleaded with him and my voice trembled, “I’ll keep fighting it if you promise to never let me go.”

“I won’t, baby.” He stretched out next to me again then pulled me into his arms, placing soft kisses along my shoulder to my neck. “You keep trying and I’ll keep holding on.”

I gave a soft smile and traced my fingers over his cheek, my mind drifting back many years ago to the night before I left for college. I was in my room finishing up my packing and trying not to fall to pieces at the thought of having to go out on my own and live hours away from everything and everyone I knew. It was late, but my mom was still awake and she came in to help me pack and spend a few minutes together. We had just taped the last of my boxes up when for some reason, I began to cry. I was only 17 and heading off to a big campus where I knew no one. I was scared and didn’t want to be alone.

Sitting there on the floor with packing tape and those Styrofoam peanuts scattered around, my mother pulled me into her arms and held me close, letting me get it all out. Then she smoothed my hair from my flushed face and kissed my forehead, wiping my tears with her hands. She told me that yes, it would be scary, but it wouldn’t be too long before I made friends and became familiar with the school. She promised that eventually I’d think of it as my second home. And then she gave me a piece of advice that she had been given when she was younger and that I had forgotten all about until tonight; when you step into new territory in your life, one of two things will happen; either you will find safe ground... or you will be taught how to fly. And you know what, she was right. Then and even now.

End Notes:

 

 

Chapter Thirty-One by summer
Author's Notes:
So glad ya'll enjoyed that chp! LOL and I hope you enjoy this one too. Thank you for your wonderful reviews and I can't wait to find out what you think about this chp. :)

 

“Hey, kiddo, how’s it going?”

I looked up from the photos project I was working on to find my Aunt Lindsay sinking down into a chair next to mine at the dining room table. She had her long blonde hair pulled up into a funky twist and the deep blue scoop neck top she wore accentuated her sapphire eyes. Lindsay had always been model material to me, though she quickly scoffed at the idea if mentioned. For being 52, she could easily pass for mid forties despite having given birth five times; once to twins. They were a very active family that stayed in shape with hiking, bicycling and other outdoor activities. I don’t think I remember a time when any of their brood was happy unless they were moving.

“I’m okay, how are you?”

She gave a shrug and reached out for one of the pictures I had strewn on the table. “I’m okay, too.”

I nodded some and studied her a moment then glanced back to the project I had been assigned. It was my duty to look through all the family photos and make up a “Poppy” picture album to display at the dinner after the funeral. My cousin, Abigail, was the lucky one who had been chosen to go through the different mementos of his life and make up a display of things that people might be interested in viewing. She was at his place doing just that and I was camped out at my parents’ house, trying to stay out of the way.

It was Sunday and we had the first visitation in a few hours. I was trying to gear myself up for it, already knowing it was going to be hard to see my parents and Mimi in the condition they were in, not to mention, having to deal with my own grief. But emotionally, I felt quite a bit better than I did two days ago. Even yesterday. And 99.9% of that was due to Alex.

After we had made love and had that little talk, we had made love again then showered together and did it once more. Alex was insatiable and the things he did to me, the things he evoked in me broke me apart each time. It was like I couldn’t get enough of him; the way his body moved with mine, the feel of his hands exploring, his mouth tasting and those intense eyes watching me with a look of raw passion. I finally had to force myself to leave and got back to the Huntley residence close to midnight. Luckily, the house had been silent and I slipped up and into my bedroom unnoticed. I don’t think my mom even knew I was home until I joined everyone at breakfast. I know they were all wondering where I had been all day, but so far they’d kept the questions to themselves. Though I had a feeling Lindsay was going to be the first to break that.

“We missed you yesterday.” Score one for me.

“Yeah, I’m sorry I didn’t get a chance to visit with you, yet.”

“That’s alright.” She reached over and gave my shoulder a squeeze. “We have all week.”

I turned my gaze back to her. “How long are you guys going to be staying?”

“Claude and the kids until Saturday, but I’ll probably stay a few more weeks or so. Your mom, Spencer and I have to help Mom go through Dad’s things and sort through his business matters.”

“Yeah,” I gave a nod, “there’s a lot to do.” I remembered all too well the kind of legal things that needed to be done when someone passed away. Could take a month or more to tie up any loose ends.

She looked at a few of the photos then gave a sigh. “He was a good man, I’m really gonna miss him.”

“Me too.”

“Makes me wish I lived here again, so I could be closer and see them more.”

I gave a little nod. “I know how you feel.”

Her azure eyes studied me a moment. “Yeah, I imagine you do.”

“Yeah.” I blinked back a few tears and returned to the matter at hand.

“So, how’s California treating you?”

“Actually, really good. I work at this great real estate company and the ocean is literally my backyard and the weather is gorgeous.”

“I bet it is. California’s always been so nice.”

I gave a little nod then changed the subject before she could question me more, “How’s Germany?”

“It’s wonderful,” the grin on her face showed she meant every word.

I smiled. “I’m really glad you like it. Everyone here misses you guys though.”

“Yeah, they’ve been telling me that for twenty years.”

I giggled low. “And they’ll keep doing it for another twenty.”

“Probably, because I don’t have any plans to move back here. Germany’s my home now.”

“Oh, of course.” I nodded in agreement. “And we all know that and are okay with it.”

“Yeah.” She smiled then leaned her elbow on the table and propped her chin in it. “So, any boys yet?”

I blinked and quickly glanced at her. “What?

Lindsay gave a simple shrug. “You’re a beautiful, young woman living in a place that probably has more hot guys than this entire state. There has to be some guy somewhere in the picture.”

I chuckled and busied myself with the pictures. “Connecticut has a lot of hot guys.”

“Unless it’s changed since I’ve lived here, not really.”

“And that’s why you had to go all the way to Germany to find one, right?”

“Exactly; you finally understand.”

I chuckled and gave a little nod then began to slip the pictures behind the clear plastic that would keep them in place.

“So, any boys?”

She just wasn’t giving up. I gave a little shrug and kept my eyes trained on my task. “Of course there’s boys. I work with boys, a few of my neighbors are boys, my mailman is a boy.”

“Any you’re romantically involved with?”

I chuckled and chanced a glance her way; she looked rather amused. “You’re just a curious little cat, aren’t you?”

A teasing smirk tugged at her lips. “I can be. Now spill, I know you’re hiding something. I have too many kids to not know when someone is being evasive.”

“I’m not hiding anything.”

“You so very well are.”

“No, I’m not.”

“I think you are.”

I gave a low laugh and shook my head some, still not meeting her gaze. Instead, I continued to fill the album with different photos of my grandfather and his life. “We sound like a couple of children.”

“This conversation could be over by now if you’d just answer my question.”

Finally, I met her eyes and bit my bottom lip, just studying her for a moment. “Promise you won’t say anything to anyone? I… um… I’m really not ready for anyone to know yet, not even you.”

Lindsay’s brows rose slightly at that and she leaned forward, crossing her finger over her chest above her heart. “Cross my heart.”

“Okay,” I finally relented and glanced around to make sure we weren’t being overheard. The coast was clear. Wetting my bottom lip, I turned back to face my aunt and leaned forward some. “So, um… I kind of met someone. It’s….” I mulled over how to explain this, “well, we’re taking it slow.”

“Really?” She got a little grin, her eyes dancing with merriment. “That’s really great, Morgan. I’m thrilled for you.”

I couldn’t help the blush that slowly crept up onto my cheeks. “Thank you.”

She gave a little nod then rested her chin back in her hand, her elbow back on the table. “Are you happy?”

I tilted my head some and thought on that. “I’m getting there.”

“Good, honey. You know that’s all we want; for you to be happy again.”

I studied her face, giving a little nod with my head. “I know.”

She smiled then reached over and ruffled my hair. “Good, you deserve it.” Then she stood and placed an endearing kiss to the top of my head. “I’ll letcha get back to work.”

“Okay.” I hunched back over the table and resumed the project I had been assigned, Lindsay wandering off to be of use somewhere else.

I had just finished the first album and was separating the pictures for the second one, when my mother sank down into the same chair my aunt had vacated earlier.

“How’s it going?” She questioned as she peered over my arm to the work I was doing.

“It’s good.” I nudged the first picture album towards her. “I’m done with that one. It’s all the pictures we have from his childhood up until you and your siblings were married. This next one is going to be his life with his grandchildren and you guys as adults.”

“Oh, Morgan, this is wonderful,” she exclaimed as she flipped through the finished album, pausing to savor a few of the photos and relish in the memories they stirred up.

I smiled and watched her for a moment, feeling my eyes growing wet. “I hope everyone enjoys them.”

“They will, baby.” She reached out and took my hand, giving it a loving squeeze. “Thank you, this really means a lot to me, to your grandmother and aunt and uncle.”

I returned the heartfelt squeeze. “I know it does and I’m happy I could help.”

She smiled and released my hand, looking over the different pictures still strewn about on the table. “Lot of crazy memories.”

“Yeah, there are.” I laughed low and located one I had found earlier. “Check this one out.”

My mom took it from my outstretched hand and studied it, a laugh slipping from between her lips. “I thought he was going to kill us once he woke up.” She was referring to a picture of my grandfather napping on the sofa with a baby rattle tucked into one hand, a pacifier placed into his mouth and a bib resting on his chest.

I giggled lowly. “Whose idea was that?”

“Mine.” She laughed again and shook her head. “It was just after Grayson was born and your father and I had our first date night. Mimi and Poppy babysat and when we returned home, your grandpa was zonked out. So we dressed him up and took the pic.”

I giggled and shook my head some. “Did he wake from the flash?”

“Of course,” she laughed more, her shoulders jerking some because of it, “but he wasn’t mad. He just laughed and told us to save him a copy of the photo.”

“He had such a great sense of humor.”

She sighed and set the picture back down where I’d taken it from. “He really did.”

A silence fell over us as I continued my task and my mother observed. It was a comfortable silence, not one that you were racking your brain to something to talk about, but one where you could just relax and know the other person felt the same way.

After a few minutes, she spoke again, “You seem to be in better spirits today.”

My eyes drifted over to her then back to the album. “What do you mean?”

She shrugged. “You seem lighter, not as tense or on edge.”

My mind immediately went to the previous night and to what had transpired between Alex and myself. The sex hadn’t just brought us closer and filled our souls; it had released a lot of the tension and stress I had been dealing with for the past two years. And I hadn’t even considered the aftermath or that it would come across to others around me. But I wasn’t about to tell my mother that. “Oh,” I gave a simple shrug, “I dunno. I think getting away from everything for a day really helped.”

She didn’t respond right away and when she did, her voice held a knowing tone, “You don’t want to tell me who you were with yesterday, do you?”

I hesitated in placing the photo into the album, but just for a moment. “What do you mean?”

“Exactly what I said; there’s something going on and you don’t want me to know.” She didn’t sound upset or annoyed by it, so that was a good thing.

I finally looked at her, feeling incredibly guilty for wanting to hide something from my own mother. It was on the tip of my tongue to tell her there wasn’t anything going on, but I couldn’t lie to her. And when she did meet Alex, in a day or so, she’d know there was and the last thing I wanted to do was upset her more than she already was. But telling her about my safe haven, the one place I felt truly at peace I wasn’t sure I could do, quite yet.

“Mom,” I gave a little sigh and set down the photos in my hands, “there are a few things I’m going to need you to just trust me on. I’m not trying to hide anything from you, but I’m just not ready to tell you about it. So, I need you to just trust me and know that I’m okay, really.”

She gave a little nod, uncertainness flickering in her eyes. “Okay, baby.”

I offered up a reassuring smile. “And when it feels right, I’ll tell you. Okay? I promise.”

“I do trust you, Morgan. And while you have me thoroughly confused and quite curious, I can wait however long you need it to be.”

That made me feel a lot better and I leaned over, placing a kiss to her cheek. “Thank you, Mama.”

She smiled and brushed her fingers through my hair, pushing it from my forehead. “Anything for you, baby.”

~*~*~*~*~

The visitation started promptly at six. Immediate family had arrived at five and been allowed some time with each other and the body before it was open to the public. It had been an emotional hour, each one of us getting a few moments to say our final goodbyes and shed more tears. And then others family and friends began arriving and the whole process started again.

I was seated in a chair against the far well, dressed in a simple black dress that hung mid thigh. It was funeral appropriate, but still something I could wear to a dinner out. Dianna had helped me pack my belongings before I’d left and I was thankful because I would never have packed thinking I’d be attending a funeral. As people milled about around me, talking and reminiscing, crying and hugging, my eyes wandered around at the different floral arrangements that had been sent from different people saddened by the loss of my grandfather. Surprisingly, my coworkers had pitched in and a beautiful bouquet of daisies and peonies, carnations and gardenias was delivered. Dianna and Manuel had also had one ordered; roses with chrysanthemums sprinkled with baby’s breath. And there in the corner sat one from Alex; a beautiful display of yellow and white daisies that held much more a meaning than any of the other arrangements in the room. It was beautiful and I suddenly wished I’d told him to come tonight instead of just attending the funeral.

“Morgan! Gosh, it’s good to see you!”

I was pulled from my thoughts by a voice I instantly recognized as my Great Aunt Edda’s; my grandfather’s youngest sister and now the only living sibling. “Hey, Aunt Edda,” I greeted her, rising to my feet and allowing her to envelope me into a tight hug.

She was a big woman with thick, powerful arms and a strong build. She towered over me at nearly six feet tall and had a head full of hair as black as a moonless night. Her eyes were the same emerald green color as my poppy’s and they shared the same nose and jovial smile. Growing up and living on a farm her whole life had kept her in shape with lean muscles and given her a strong character. She hardly looked her age, but instead appeared ten years younger. And from the hold she had on me, I knew she hadn’t lost any of that strength, or even come close.

“How are you holding up, dear?” She finally questioned after she released me and allowed the air to come back into my lungs.

I gave a half shrug-half nod and took a step back to put a little space between us. “I’m okay. How are you doing?”

“I’m alright. He lived a long and wonderful life so that helps ease the hurt some.”

“That’s very true.”

She gave a nod and then surveyed me, placing her hands on her hips. “You look great, Morgan. California’s really been treating you well, huh?”

I blushed just a tiny bit at her scrutiny. “Yeah, I like it out there.”

“I can tell. You really have a spark about you.”

“Really?” I lifted my brows.

“Oh yeah, you have a look in your eyes and this glow just radiating from you.”

I felt my stomach do a flip; a look in my eyes and a glow radiating? I had a feeling it didn’t have anything to do with California. “Oh, um, well, thank you.”

“You’re welcome, darling.” She reached out and pinched my cheek.

I asked her how the farm was going and we made small talk until she spotted one of her cousins and excused herself to go greet them.

I was grateful and sank back into the chair. Fiddling with the tissue in my hands, I observed the people around me, trying to place names and remember who the ones I wasn’t too familiar with were. I recognized a few more relatives and some people from my dad’s office and realized there were quite a few people I didn’t know.

My mom waved at me from the other side of the room, motioning me to join her and I rose to my feet, smoothing my dress some and crossing over to join her and the group she was with. And then suddenly I was in the middle of a barrage of questions as people began asking me about California and what I did out there, how I was holding up, handling things with losing my grandfather, if I regretted moving, if I wanted to come back, how long I was here for, that they were sorry once more about Hugh. My mom tried to field the questions until she was pulled aside by her brother over something and I was alone.

This was exactly what I didn’t want to have happen. I did my best to keep my cool and answer them, but a slow panic was starting to spread up through my chest and I realized I had to get away before I screamed. Uttering some kind of apology, I finally broke from the crowd and headed for the doors that would take me outside. I felt like I couldn’t breathe and was hoping the fresh air would help.

I made it outside, unnoticed, and let the doors shut behind me, cutting off the noises of chatter. The cool evening air greeted me and I shivered some…rubbing my upper arms and heading down the steps and away from the building. It was probably close to seven and the sun was starting to head towards the horizon, but probably wouldn’t go down for another hour. Overhead, the sky was clear and I smiled some at the streaks of gold that highlighted the blue.

It was nice to get away from everything inside and the silence around me felt like heaven to the constant murmurs and voices from the funeral home. Tomorrow was yet another visitation and then there’d be a day’s break and the funeral on Wednesday. I would probably try to head back to California on Friday. I had a life I needed to get back too. I missed my dog something awful and though I was dreading returning to work and facing the sympathy of my coworkers, it was something I needed to do. I really wanted to get back to my routine.

Stepping off the main walkway, I followed the path that would take me around to the side of the building. The funeral home had been fashioned from an old colonial type house and the yard was probably the best feature. Trees and shrubs and flowers dotted the lush green grass and if you didn’t see the sign out front advertising the business, one might think that a family lived here. No one would suspect that this cheery yard and well maintained home was actually the place for the undead and their loved ones to bid adieu.

Spotting a porch swing nestled on the porch there at the side of the house; I climbed the steps then sank down onto it. From here I could see out to the side street the house sat against. Cars were lined against the curb and I knew most of them were inside the home while a few probably belonged to the houses that lined the residential street.

I lost track of how long I saw there, letting the swing gently glide back and forth. It could have been just a few minutes or an hour might have slipped by. I had no idea. But when a figure emerged from around the side of the house and into my line of sight, I was pulled out of my reverie and blinked, sitting up straighter and staring in complete shock at the person standing at the bottom step.

Andrew.

 

End Notes:
Uh oh, Andrew's in town. Whatcha think is gonna happen?
Chapter Thirty-Two by summer
Author's Notes:
Thank you again for all the wonderful reviews. You guys really make me feel humble and giddy. I'm glad you're enjoying the fic and hope you'll continue to. As always, I can't wait to find out what you think about this next chp. Enjoy! :)

 

The swing stopped in mid air as my foot hit the ground and I gaped at the man standing before me.

Andrew wet his bottom lip and fiddled with the designer sunglasses in his hands. “Hey.”

“Wha…” my mind was reeling, “what… what are you doing here?”

“I um…thought you might need a friend.” He looked so nervous and worried and it made my heart go out to him.

I still wasn’t sure what to say, however, and stumbled over my words, “You, um…you.. you didn’t have to come all the way out here.”

“I know,” he took the steps up onto the porch, “but you were just so upset the other day and I wanted to be here and offer any support.”

I wet my bottom lip. “That… that’s really sweet of you, but … I’m okay.”

He sank down on the bench next to me. “I just wanted to make sure, for myself.”

“How.. did you find out where I was?”

“Google maps. I remembered you told me Coventry is where you grew up, so I looked it up then checked the obits for where your grandfather’s visitation was.”

I chuckled low at the lengths he had gone through to locate me. “You could have just called me. I woulda told you where it was.”

I know,” he settled back into the swing and pushed us to start rocking again, “but I wanted to surprise you.”

I studied him a moment and then blinked. “Have you been inside?” The last thing I needed was everyone to meet Andrew before I had a chance to explain he was just a friend.

He shook his head then hooked his sunglasses on the collar of his navy blue polo shirt. “No, I saw you sitting here as I got out of the car.” He nodded in the direction of his vehicle.

I looked towards his car then back to him. “Oh, okay.”

“Yeah.” He watched me a moment before speaking again, “You need some fresh air?”

“Yeah, I thought it would do me good to take a little break.”

“Probably, things in there can get pretty emotional, I’m sure.”

“Ain’t that the truth.”

Andrew chuckled and settled back in the swing, his eyes trained on me. “You look beautiful.”

“Oh,” I glanced down to myself, feeling a slight blush creeping up on my cheeks, “thank you.”

“You should wear black more often; it’s a good color on you.” His hand reached out and touched my shoulder.

“Um, thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” He hesitated a moment. “Have you given any more thought to what we were talking about the other day?”

I wet my bottom lip, feeling a slight twinge in my stomach. “Um…which thing?”

“About having another date.”

“Oh.” Great, what was I supposed to say to that? Taking a little breath, I decided the best thing was to just be honest. “Andrew, listen-”

“Morgan, there you are!”

I glanced over at the new voice and found my Aunt Lindsay climbing the steps of the porch.

Upon seeing Andrew beside me, her lips formed a little ‘oh’. “I…didn’t realize you had…company.” She looked the newcomer over and then her eyes met mine and she winked.

Oh no, I sat up a little straighter. She thought Andrew was the guy I had told her about earlier. But before I could quickly amend her thoughts, Andrew stood from the porch and introduced himself.

“I’m Andrew Holden.”

Lindsay shook his hand, a small grin falling over her features. “Lindsay Schellden, Morgan’s aunt. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“Likewise.” He flashed his most charming smile. “You don’t look old enough to be Morgan’s aunt.”

Flattery, just great. I groaned in my head and stood as well.

“Oh, you are such the charmer.” She giggled softly then finally released his hand. “I’ve heard some good things about you.” She wrapped her arm around my shoulders and gave me a squeeze. “I’m so thankful that you’re making my niece, here, happy again.”

Andrew looked at me and I could see surprise in his eyes which faded into warmth and he grinned ear to ear. “I’m doing what I can.”

I wanted to bang my head against the siding of the funeral home. This was not good at all. Lindsay thought Andrew was the guy I was talking about and now Andrew thought I was talking about him and, despite having reservations, was very much interested. I felt like I was sinking into quicksand and there was no one around to save me. Could this day get any worse?

Just then, Lindsay took hold of his arm. “Come, you’ve got to come inside and meet everyone.”

My eyes stretched. “Lindsay!” She had promised not to utter a word. But I guess she figured since I had brought him around, I had changed my mind.

“Oh, you too, Morgan, Mimi has been asking where you ran off to.” Then she proceeded in leading Andrew off the porch and back around to the front of the funeral home.

With a heavy feeling in the pit of my stomach, I begrudgingly followed behind them, trying to rack my brain with a way to get out of this situation and not make it any worse than it was quickly becoming.

But I didn’t come up with a plan before we were back inside the home, moving amongst the family and friends and heading right for my parents and grandmother. The only thing I could think to be grateful for was that Alex wasn’t here.

“Morgan, darling, there you are.” My grandmother reached for my hand as we joined the group.

I gave a little nod. “Yeah, I’m right here.”

“We hoped you hadn’t run off somewhere,” my father joked before his eyes landed on Andrew and he lifted a brow.

“She might have had I not found her when I had,” Lindsay teased, ignoring the warning look I shot her.

“Well, aren’t you a handsome young man,” my grandmother spoke up as Andrew caught her attention as well. “What’s your name, dear?”

“Andrew Holden,” he reached and took my mimi’s hand, holding it gently with both of his, “and it’s too bad we had to meet this way; I’m so sorry for your loss.”

“Thank you. I’m Sophie, but everyone calls me Mimi.”

He squeezed her hand then let it go and turned to my mother, taking hers and brushing his lips over the back of it. “And you must be Morgan’s older sister.”

I had to control myself so I didn’t roll my eyes at his cheesiness.

But my mom was eating it up. She gave a soft laugh and her cheeks tinged a slight pink. “Why, thank you … I am.”

Beside her, my dad chuckled and slipped his arm around her waist. “Flattery will get you everywhere with my wife.” Then he reached for Andrew’s hand, giving it a firm shake. “I’m Neil and this is Miriam; we’re Morgan’s parents.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you.” Andrew returned the firm handshake before releasing my father’s hand.

“So, where are you from, Andrew?” My grandmother questioned with a piqued interest.

“Well, California. I’m just out here in business in New York and after finding out what happened,” his eyes shifted to me then back to them, “I wanted to come pay my respects and support Morgan.”

“Morgan!” My grandmother spoke in a loud whisper. “Why haven’t you told us you had a gentleman caller?”

I wanted the floor to open up and swallow me whole. I was appalled that Andrew was leading my family to believe we were a couple and embarrassed at the situation it was now presenting to my parents. “Um…well, actually-”

“She’s wanting to take things slow,” Andrew interrupted me.

I bit back a frustrated scream.

“We understand,” my mother’s voice was sympathetic and she sent me an understanding smile. “But, we’re so glad to meet you. I was just telling my daughter today that she seemed to be in better spirits.”

Andrew’s eyes met mine and I saw a grin tugging at the corners of his mouth. “Well, I’m just glad to help. You have a wonderful daughter and I only hope once we’re both back in Los Angeles, that I can take her up to wine country to meet my family.”

“Ooh, wine country?” Mimi’s eyes widened and she slipped her arm through his. “That sounds absolutely breathtaking.”

How had this situation gone so terribly wrong so quickly? And each passing second grew even worse than the last. I needed to remedy it without embarrassing anyone and still saving face. Wetting my bottom lip, I took a step forward and spoke up, “Um, actually, I was wondering if I might be able to talk to Andrew for a moment.”

“Oh, dear, you have all night to talk to him.” My grandmother waved my request off. “Now,” she smiled warmly at him and I knew she was already enthralled with his handsome features and professional demeanor, “come and tell me more about this wine country. You know, I’m going to be traveling out to visit Morgan in a few months and I would love to take a trip north to see the vineyards,” her voice began to fade as she led him off to a quieter place so they could converse.

I watched them go with a sour feeling in my stomach. Why was this happening to me? And how was I supposed to get out of it? Things could only get worse now that they’d met and taken to him so well. I could already see images of him being invited to the dinner after the funeral and over to the house later tonight. Clenching my hands into fists, I turned to my parents, my aunt being called off by one of her children.

“He’s a nice young man.” My mother smiled and touched my cheek. “I’m glad you decided to bring him here.”

My father nodded his head and watched me with a concerned expression. “What does he do?”

“Uh.. he’s an architect and actually…” I nervously fiddled with my dress, “we’re um… we’re-”

But my words were cut off when a group of newcomers joined us and began giving their regards to my parents. I was nudged aside and gave a sigh of defeat when they were quickly caught up in conversations with the mourners.

Turning from them, I wove my way through the room, moving amongst the crowd and heading back for the doors. This time, I exited through a side door and once outside, dropped down onto the stoop. I was just going to have to wait until things calmed down and Andrew was on his way back to the city before telling them what was really going on. They’d be confused, and my grandmother would be disappointed, but I couldn’t just lead them to believe something that wasn’t true.

And then there was Andrew. I needed to figure out what I was going to tell him. He obviously thought I had been talking about him to my family and that he was the reason for my sudden change in attitude. And when I let him down easy and explained that he wasn’t, he was going to wonder who was. I was going to have to tell him about Alex sooner or later if we intended on staying friends. After tonight, I was sure he was going to take it worse than he would have before. Drats! I knew I should have just told him what was going on at the restaurant. The hole I had dug myself was quickly filling in on me. When had my life gotten so complicated?

~*~*~*~*~

“So, tell us how you two met?”

I glanced from my father over to Andrew and gave an inward groan. Just as I had suspected, Andrew had indeed been invited back to the house afterward. And now, he sat amongst my family conversing and having a grand ol’ time as if this all was second nature to him. My family absolutely loved him and it showed as they monopolized his time. I had hardly been given an opportunity to pull him aside and speak with him to explain everything. Nor did I have a chance to tell my parents or grandmother what the real deal was.

My grandmother wouldn’t stop gushing about him when we had been in the kitchen preparing drinks and some snacks. Telling me he was wonderful and charming and so handsome. She hugged me tight and said how glad she was I was moving on with my life, declaring she could sleep a little better at night now. I didn’t have it in me to spoil her mood, or make things awkward for anyone, so I just let it go. Which probably was a mistake, but I was going to absolutely correct things once he was on his way and I was alone with my family.

“No kidding, a blind date, huh?” My aunt chuckled and shook her head after Andrew explained how a mutual friend had set us up.

“I knew the instant I saw her she was something special.” He flashed a warm grin my way then reached and squeezed my knee.

“That is just so sweet,” my grandmother gushed from her spot in the oversized armchair. “Morgan, Andrew had promised to take us out on his sailboat when I come visit.”

“Oh yeah?” I glanced over to the man next to me, slowly slipping his hand off my leg.

“Definitely,” he grinned then reached for my knee again, holding it a little firmer this time, “and we’ll take her up to Sonoma Valley.”

I could feel the situation starting to snowball and tried to rack my brain with a way to correct everything and not embarrass anyone.

“Morgan tells us you’re an architect.”

Around me the conversation continued as my loved ones chatted and tried to get to know Andrew better. He was eating it up and had them in stitches as he relayed some story that happened to him last week. I glanced around at their faces and could just tell how captivated they were by this man. My grandmother loved him, my father found out they shared a passion for golf and my mother was impressed with his charm and manners. My younger cousins thought he was hot and I could already see my aunt with wedding bells in her eyes when she looked at us.

“How long are you in town for?” My father’s question pulled my attention back to the conversation and I felt a sudden panic start in my chest. I could just feel what was coming next.

“Um,” Andrew glanced at me and squeezed my knee again, “I’m not sure, actually. I hadn’t really planned anything out.”

“Well, you most certainly have to stay for a few days,” my grandmother injected.

“We can hit up the golf course in the morning,” my dad suggested as he nodded in agreement with his mother-in-law.

Andrew glanced around at my family, a warm smile spreading over his face. “That’d be great. I just have to find a hotel.”

“That is not necessary.” My mother shook her head. “You are going to stay right here. We have plenty of room.”

“Oh, I couldn’t be a bother.”

“You are no bother,” she spoke firmly in a tone that you knew not to reckon with.

I was in trouble and knew I needed to just forget making things awkward and fix the situation. “Um, actually,” I spoke up, interrupting as Andrew relented and agreed to stay with us.

For once, all heads turned my way.

I wet my bottom lip and glanced from Andrew back to my parents. “Andrew and I are-“

“Morgan!” My cousin’s excited squeal interrupted me as Gina rushed into the room, her dark curls bobbing and her big green eyes wide with glee.

I blinked. “What?”

“You know the Backstreet Boys?!”

I frowned. “What? No, I don’t know any….” Then my voice trailed off when it hit me and my eyes widened in surprise. Oh no, no no no, no, this couldn’t be happening.

“Gina? What’s going on?” My uncle Spencer questioned his youngest daughter.

Gina laughed with delight, barely being able to contain the excitement that was flooding through her. “Yes, you do!” She ignored her father. “I was coming in from taking the trash to the curb and I saw this guy in the yard. He was throwing rocks at Morgan’s window,” she began rattling off her tale in a fast pace, “so I went over to find out what was going on and…” her eyes danced, “I saw it was AJ McLean! AJ freaking McLean was in your yard throwing rocks at your window!” She pointed at me.

I could feel my heart starting to slide down into my stomach. “Wh…where… is… is he?”

No one seemed to notice the panic in my voice, they were too caught up in Gina’s excitement and on whom this newcomer throwing rocks at the house was.

Gina laughed and clapped her hands. “Right here!” Then she disappeared into the foyer and reappeared again, tugging Alex in behind her.

My heart was now in my toes and I frantically tried to push Andrew’s hand from my knee. Alex wore a pair of dark jeans, a studded belt and plain black tee. A dark ballcap was pulled low on his head and despite the shadow over his face; I could tell his cheeks were flushed with embarrassment.

For a moment, no one spoke. I think they were too confused by what was happening to make sense of the situation.

My grandmother was the one to break the silence, “My goodness, young man, aren’t you all decorated.” Her clear eyes were trained on his tattooed arms and I couldn’t tell if she was appalled or just shocked.

He shifted nervously on his feet and shook his arm from Gina’s grasp. His eyes sought out mine and then traveled down to where Andrew was still holding to my knee like it belonged to him. I saw a flicker of something pass through them and he shoved his hands into his pant pockets.

I felt sick to my stomach, like I was going to throw up any minute. Forcefully, I pushed Andrew’s hand from my leg and shot to my feet. “Alex.”

“Morgan,” He nodded his head at me, his tone even and emotionless. Taking in the occupants of the room, he hunched his shoulders. “I didn’t mean to interrupt.”

“You’re not interrupting!” My newly turned 21 year old cousin quickly injected.

“Are you a friend of Morgan’s?” My mother was looking between us with a confused expression.

Alex turned his mesmerizing eyes on me then let them drift to Andrew. “Yeah, something like that,” he finally spoke after a moment. Then he was backing from the room. “I’m sorry to um…interrupt your evening. I’ll let myself out.”

His eyes met mine once more before he disappeared from view and all sets of eyes turned back to me.

I hesitated, not even sure if I could move. That last look he had cast my way was making my heart crumble; he had looked crushed, like I had taken his heart out and stomped on it. I felt rooted to my spot, waves of nausea starting in my stomach and trying to take over my body. But the instant I heard the front door shutting firmly, something inside me snapped and I bolted from the room.

“Morgan!” I heard my father call after me.

But I ignored him. I only had one thing on my mind and I needed to get to him before he was out of my life for good.

Chapter Thirty-Three by summer
Author's Notes:
LOL wow, I got you people all riled up hehe. Thanks so much for letting me know how you felt and all your wonderful thoughts. So, of course, I didn't want to take too long before the next update ... so here you go. Hope you enjoy lol and let me know whatcha think. And welcome to my new readers. :)

 

I made it to the front door and flung it open in record time. Hurrying out onto the porch, I glanced around for Alex, hoping he hadn’t gotten to his car already. Spotting him nearing the end of the driveway, I rushed down the steps and took off after him.

“Alex!”

He either didn’t hear me, or ignored me, for he continued on his way.

“Alex!” I was running now, ignoring the discomfort of the hard concrete on my bare feet.

He paused as he stepped out into the street and turned to look at me.

I caught up with him, my chest heaving some and a stricken look upon my face. “Alex…”

He glared at me and I felt a sob push into my throat.

“No,” I shook my head, reaching for his arm, “you have to let me explain.”

“Explain what?” He spat the words out at me.

“Explain what…what was going on back there,” I spoke in a fragile tone, gesturing behind me towards the house.

He gave a heavy sigh and I could just see the anger and frustration vibrating off his body. Finally, he rubbed his eyes and looked at me again. “What is there to explain?”

I touched his arm, wincing some as he pulled it from my grasp. “It… it wasn’t what it looked like. Really!” I added when he gave a snort.

“It sure looked like you were comfy, cozy with that guy.” His voice was filled with contempt and I choked back a sob.

“N…no, that’s… that’s not what it was.” Tears were blurring my vision, but I didn’t wipe them away. Instead, I reached for him again. “Please, let me explain.”

He gritted his teeth and I knew he was struggling with his conscience. Finally he spoke, “Get your shoes.”

A silent cheer went through my head and I nodded, wiping at my cheeks finally. “I… okay, don’t… don’t … just…stay right here.” Then I turned and hurried back up the drive to the porch.

I burst back into the house and found my family waiting for me.

“Morgan, what’s going on? How do you know AJ?” Gina rushed into the foyer to greet me.

“Morgan, honey, what was that all about?” My mother was just behind her.

I ignored them both and grabbed for the sandals I had worn to the visitation. “I gotta go.”

“Where are you going?” Now my father was joining the group.

I struggled into my shoes. “I can’t explain right now. I just… I gotta go.”

“Morgan, you can’t just take off on poor Andrew.” My mom frowned at the thought.

Getting one shoe on and then the other, I stood straight and smoothed my dress. “I have to go.

“Have you been crying?” Gina grabbed for my arm. “Oh my word! Did AJ McLean make you cry?! Holy cow!”

Rolling my eyes, I snatched my purse up from the table there. “I gotta go, okay.” My patience was wearing thin. “I don’t know when I’ll be back,” I spoke before either parent could question it.

They frowned at each other and I tried to ignore Gina’s wonderings.

“Don’t wait up!” Then I hurried back out the door and shut it swiftly behind me.

Moving back down the porch, I saw that Alex had pulled the car into the drive and was waiting for me. Quickly, I hurried along the walk to the driveway and slipped into the vehicle. “Okay, I’m here.”

He didn’t respond, merely just put the car into reverse and we shot out of the driveway. Jamming the gear back into drive, he floored the gas pedal and we careened down the street.

I blinked and grabbed for my seatbelt, quickly jamming it into place. “Whoa, slow down! There are kids that play in the street.”

He ignored me, but eased up a little on the accelerator and the car slowed just a tiny bit.

I sighed some and watched him a moment. “Do you want to know what happened?”

“Do you really think you should tell me while I’m driving?” His sent me a hard look.

I frowned a little at the attitude he still had. “Then pull over.”

“I don’t want to.”

“Then what do you want to do?”

“Drive.”

That shut me up and I leaned back in the seat, staring out ahead of us.

Finally, after a few long, quiet moments and he had us heading away from Coventry down a two lane highway, he broke his silence, “Who the fuck was that guy?”

I winced at the cursing. “His… his name is Andrew Holden.”

“Why was he touching you?”

I sighed and tucked some hair behind my ear. “Because he…likes me and wants to date me.”

“So, you let men who are interested in you touch on you?”

I frowned at the way he said that. “No! Look, what happened with Andrew kind of just…blew up,” I began to explain. “He showed up at the funeral home and my aunt mistook him for you,” I stressed that part, “and she introduced him to everyone and it just kind of snowballed. I tried to correct it, but every time, I’d get interrupted and then he was at the house and I didn’t want to embarrass him or make things awkward with everyone. I was going to wait until he left and tell them that we were just friends…and then,” my voice softened, “you showed up and everything just got shot to hell.”

He was quiet, his dark eyes concentrating on the road ahead of us.

I rubbed my cheek, trying to keep from reaching out and just touching him. “There’s nothing going on between us. You know how hard it has been for me to even think about being with someone again.”

“And now he thinks you two are a couple.”

“Unfortunately.” I frowned at that thought. “I had told him I only wanted to be friends, but when my aunt thought he was the guy I had told her about…he just assumed that I was talking about him.”

“So, he doesn’t know about me?”

“Can you blame me for that?” My eyes searched the side of his face. “This whole thing has just been…so difficult and I…I’ve been hesitant to tell anyone about us. And you know that and you know why.”

His body relaxed a little as he realized I was right. “We can’t hide forever. I’m a public figure; people are going to find out about us, lots of people.”

“I know.” I picked at one of my fingernails. “And they were going to find out about you…but when I was ready for it. You were coming to the funeral so I was going to tell them then.”

“So, how come your aunt knows?” He finally looked at me, his face not as angry or tense.

That calmed me some, but not completely. “Because…she was relentless and wouldn’t leave me alone until I admitted that there was a man in my life. She saw the change in me after we,” I wet my bottom lip, “made love and knew something was up. But I made her promise not to tell anyone and then when Andrew showed up, I guess she thought I was bringing him there to make it public.”

He gave a sigh and ran a hand over his face.

I reached out and took that hand, pulling it into my lap and holding it with both of mine in a desperate attempt to keep him there with me. “I could never, ever do that to you. Not when,” my voice wavered, “I need you so badly.”

Suddenly, he was pulling over; moving the vehicle far enough off the road to stay out of harm’s way. He undid his buckle and turned to face me. “Say that again.”

Inside my chest, my heart was pounding harder and a bit faster. “I need you.”

He reached out and cupped my face, pulling me closer to him. “What else?”

That sensation that had filled my chest at his hotel room was working its way back into my body. My heart hammered against my ribcage and my mouth was growing dry. I could feel his warm breath on my skin as he held our faces just inches apart, those eyes exposing my soul to him. “I,” my voice cracked and his fingers tightened just a little in my hair.

“What else?” His tone had dropped an octave.

I wet my bottom lip, feeling that pressure squeezing my chest tight. “I… love you,” the words whispered from my mouth and tears began filling my eyes.

“I love you, too,” he rasped out just before pulling my mouth to his and claiming it with a heated kiss.

It fueled us both and we pressed closer, hands roaming as the kisses grew more intense, more passionate and more needing. Next thing I knew, we were in the backseat and he was undressing me. He didn’t take his time like the previous night, but he didn’t rip my clothes away and grope me. It was a hot and demanding urge and I found it growing in myself as I peeled his own clothing off his body. They joined mine on the floor and he pulled me to straddle him, tugging my hips down over his and thrusting up into me.

I gave a cry and wrapped my arms around his shoulders, meeting his movements with my own and urging him on when his mouth began to make its way across my neck and chest.

His hands pressed into the flesh on my sides then stroked with pressure around to my back and lower, cupping me and grinding me on him in a hard motion.

I gasped at the depth and feel of him and rocked my hips with his in a tantalizing dance. When his head drew back, I lowered mine and bit at his ear, moaning his name in such a way that his thrusts became faster and more urgent.

He growled low in his chest and it vibrated throughout his body, his hands smoothing up my back and into my hair. He tugged my head back and bit at my neck, groaning my name and curling his fingers into my long locks.

I held him tight as my body rode him, my eyes rolling back some and a burning heat engulfing over me. It was like a mad frenzy; I had to have him against me, feel him surrounding me, have him deep inside and filling me completely and I voiced it as his own need to possess me drove him on.

He took me right to the edge with him, not taking his time, but forcing me there with such urgency that I felt like I was breaking into pieces. My chest heaved hard against his and the muscles in my legs began twitching. I tried to keep up, but the flood of tingles that were shooting through me was making my head spin and I felt like I couldn’t even breathe.

I had no control and when his hand snaked between our bodies and his fingers located that quickly swelling bud, I gave a scream that echoed throughout the car and went careening off the edge into the abyss of sweet release. It surged up my legs and exploded through me, filling me with a heat that burned my veins and left me clinging to him. A roar filled my ears and I squeezed my eyes shut tight against the blinding white that burst before them. The orgasm took over and forced me to move against him, trying to relish in every, single, wonderful drop.

His own came just as quick and hard and he worked our bodies through it, groaning my name and holding me against him. His hips pressed up into me and he forced me on and on until we both felt the delicious tingles ebbing away and that warm heat take their place. And then he fell back against the seat, shivering and flushed; his skin slightly damp and his eyes closed.

I sagged into him; my chest heaving, my body trembling and weak little panted sounds slipping from my mouth. I felt like jell-o and was sure I didn’t have a single ounce of strength left in my body. It felt so wonderful and warm and despite the heat in the car and my lungs straining for a breath, sleep could have easily taken over.

“Shit,” Alex cursed in a raspy voice as his hands stroked my back.

I gave a weak sound of some kind of response and shivered at an aftershock of pleasure that tickled through me.

He chuckled low and tilted his head to look at me. “That was fucken hot.”

I blushed and pressed my face further into his chest.

He chuckled again and pushed the hair from my cheek, peeking down at me. “Well, it was.”

My arms tightened around him and I giggled, finally pulling back enough to see his face. I glanced around the vehicle then back to him. “We defiled your rental.”

He laughed and pulled my mouth to his in a warm kiss. “Yes, we did.”

I giggled then sighed and settled back against his chest.

Alex hugged me close then kissed my shoulder. “You okay?”

“Mmhmm.”

“You sure?”

I nipped at his chin. “I’m great.”

He had a smile from ear to ear. “I’m great, too.”

“Yes, you sure are,” my words had a double meaning and I knew he got it when he smirked and pinched my butt.

“You’re pretty damn great yourself.”

I shivered and giggled again then carefully slipped off him and settled in the seat, glancing around to see our clothes strewn about. “Well, someone was in a hurry.”

He chuckled and kissed my shoulder then reached for his boxer shorts. “Do I have to take you home tonight?”

I mulled that over as I pulled my bra from where it hung on the back driver’s seat. “No, you can take me to your hotel room.”

“Good, cuz that’s what I was gonna do anyway.”

“You just wanna get lucky again,” I teased.

He paused in slipping into his jeans and looked me over, a grunt sounding low in his chest. “What man wouldn’t want to get lucky with you?”

I blushed then wiggled into my underwear and smoothed the wrinkles from my dress. “Hush.”

“You hush.”

“No, you hush.”

He waited until I was dressed again then lightly swatted at my butt. “I can give you something that’d make you hush.”

I laughed at that, my cheeks flushing, and then handed him his shirt that had somehow made its way to the gearshift between the front seats. “Here.”

Alex chuckled and finished dressing, then he gently took hold of my arm and pulled me back to him as I began to clamber into the front again. “Wait a minute.”

I pushed some unruly hair from my face and watched him. “Hm?”

He reached up and stroked my cheek. “I’m sorry I flew off the handle earlier.”

“No,” I shook my head, “you don’t have to apologize. I’m the one that needs to apologize. I’m sorry I let it snowball into what it did.”

“I shouldn’t have lost my cool so easily.”

“I would have if I had been in your shoes. It’s understandable.”

“You’re not mad at me?”

I blinked a little then shook my head and kissed his mouth softly. “No, I completely understand. Long as you’re not mad at me.”

“Not one bit.” He kissed me again and then again.

“Mmm,” I sighed against his mouth. “So, we’re okay?”

“More than okay.” He nibbled at my lower lip then slowly pulled back. “But, unless we want to spend the night here, I think we should get going before I decide I don’t want to.” His hands slipped under the skirt of my dress and stroked along my thighs.

Goosebumps rose along my skin at his touches and I shivered some, giggling low. “I suppose we should.”

“You suppose?” He arched a brow. “Ooh, are you wanting to defile the car some more?”

“No, but we could defile the sofa in your hotel suite. And then maybe the table, the counters, that comfy chair in the corner,” I began listing off different possible places for us to make love.

“Ooh, I like the way you think.” He kissed my neck then helped me into the front seat again and joined me.

I got settled back into the seat and pulled the seatbelt around me, smoothing my dress and combing my fingers through my hair to tame it some.

“So, what am I gonna do about Andrew?” I questioned him once we were back on the road and heading for the hotel he was staying at.

Alex glanced over at me. “How long is he gonna be around?”

I sighed some. “I don’t know. My parents were inviting him to stay with us when you showed up. My dad wants to golf with him tomorrow.”

“Well, are they going to want him to stick around when they find out he’s… just a friend?”

“I doubt they’d kick him out, especially after inviting him to stay.”

His dark eyes met mine before turning back to the road. “Will he want to stay when he finds out he’s just a friend?”

“Ooh, good point.”

He nodded and reached for my hand, holding it against his chest. “Just tell him what’s going on and that you’re not interested in him in that way. And see what he wants to do.”

“You make it sound so easy.”

He kissed my fingers then nibbled them gently. “Well, isn’t it?”

I shivered some at how his mouth felt on my hand. “I don’t want to hurt his feelings.”

“Yeah, but you can’t lead him on either. That’d probably hurt more in the end.” His eyes shifted to me. “And I don’t like the idea of you letting him go along thinking you two are way more than you really are.”

“Ooh, is someone jealous?”

“Damn straight. And possessive.”

I giggled low at that and pulled his hand over to me, kissing the back of it before nibbling his fingers. I knew I had to talk to Andrew; there was no way around it. I just hoped he took it better than I thought he would and it didn’t become this huge ordeal. I liked him and wanted to remain his friend. I just hoped he thought the same about me.

Chapter Thirty-Four by summer
Author's Notes:
Thank you so much for the wonderful reviews! I hope I didn't make you wait too long. Hehe, hope you enjoy and can't wait to see what all you wonderful people think! I know there are some Andrew haters out there, this one should be interesting for you. LOL. Enjoy!

 

It was raining the following morning when Alex dropped me back at my parents’ house. He kissed me in the car and told me to call him once I had smoothed everything over. It sounded simple enough and I was determined to do it. I promised I would then, after a few more steamy kisses, I finally climbed from the vehicle and darted up the walk to the safe haven of the porch. I was just slightly damp, dressed in a pair of Alex’s black track like pants and one of his white tees, my dress folded neatly and tucked under my arm. The clothing smelled like him and I had the passing thought to never return it and just pull it out when I wanted to be reminded of his scent.

I had just pulled the screen door open and was reaching for the handle to the front door when it was yanked open and Gina greeted me, obvious excitement and curiosity spilling from her eyes.

“Morgan!” She threw the front door open farther and stepped out on the porch, peering around me to the driveway where Alex was backing from. “Is that AJ? Oh my God, how do you know him? Are you two dating? I thought you were with Andrew! What happened? What’s going on? How long have you known him?”

Her questions continued to assault me as I slipped past her and into the foyer, brushing some raindrops from my arms. “Gina-”

“Your parents are so confused and your dad was pretty mad that you just took off on Andrew like you did,” She interrupted me before I could get two words out. Then tilting her head, her eyes raked over my body and grew even wider than the saucer sizes they already were. “Ooh, Morgan! Are those AJ’s clothes?!” She reached for the shirt and I moved out of her reach.

“Chill out.”

Her green eyes blinked and she took a step back.

I laughed low. “You are bouncing around so much I think I can see three of you.”

A small blush tinged her cheeks and she reached for her hair, twisting her fingers into it. “Sorry, I just…they are like my favorite group and I’ve loved them since I was like…12.”

“It’s okay, I just…you’re overwhelming me.”

Gina smoothed her shirt and then clasped her hands behind her back. “Sorry. I got a little carried away. I just never expected you to know AJ McLean!”

I slipped out of my sandals and peered towards the living room, wondering where my parents were. “Um…well I do.”

“Yeah, and that’s so cool!”

I chuckled and met my cousin’s eyes again. “Where is everyone?”

“Oh,” Gina glanced towards the hall that would lead into the kitchen. “Your mom is in the kitchen with Mimi and your dad took Andrew and my dad out golfing.”

I gave an inward groan and leaned to peer outside one of the tall windows that lined the front door. “Yuck, they’ll probably get rained out and then come back here.” At that thought I pressed a hand to my stomach, trying to squelch the nerves that were creeping in.

“Probably. Your dad wasn’t happy with you last night.”

I contained an eye roll and started for the stairs. “Well, if anyone asks, I’ll be upstairs. I’m gonna take a shower and get changed.”

“Hey,” She called out after me.

I paused and looked over the banister at her.

“Is AJ going to be coming ‘round again, by chance?”

Those green eyes of hers looked so ardent; I didn’t have the heart to tell her no. “He might be.”

A smile graced her face at my words. “If he does… maybe I could… meet him. I mean, I kind of met him last night, but …we really didn’t get to talk or anything.”

I chuckled then gave a little nod and continued on my way up the steps. “You probably could.”

That seemed to satisfy her and I heard her scurry off probably to tell my mom I had made it home.

Once in the safety of my room, I quickly gathered a fresh change of clothes and headed into the bathroom. Stripping out of Alex’s clothing, I folded them and set them on the sink then started the shower, letting it grow warm as the steam began to fill the bathroom. Then I slipped into the stall and closed the door, moving to stand under the hot stream of water and let it run over my skin.

As I began to sud up my loofah and wash my body, I thought back to the previous night and smiled at the thought of Alex. After we had made it back to the hotel, we’d spent the next few hours defiling the suite on every spot that had been mentioned and then some. Then afterward, we laid together in the bed talking and kissing and just being. It had been nice and when he’d finally drifted off to sleep, I’d stayed awake a little bit longer and just watched him. He truly was an angel, one that had been sent to me for a specific purpose and I knew there was no way I could ever let him go.

Strange, how just in a few short months my life had taken a completely different turn and things were now for the better. I never thought I’d find love again after Hugh, I never thought I’d get over that pain and be able to be happy and in love. But how wrong I was. I was on the mend and in love with someone new, someone who needed me as much as I needed them. And just thinking about him made me smile. It was like the light at the end of the tunnel had finally opened up to a huge field of flowers with the sun beating down and filling every space.

That thought made me hum a little and I washed my hair then face and finally slipped from the shower, wrapping in a towel and going about my after-shower routine. After blow drying and styling my hair then getting dressed and fixing my makeup, I cleaned my belongings up and made my way back to the bedroom.

My mother was waiting for me inside and she didn’t look too pleased.

“Hey,” I greeted her as I took Alex’s clothes and set them atop the dresser.

“Hello.” She was watching me with a wary eye.

“Did Gina tell you I got home?”

“She mentioned it.”

I nodded and took the dress I’d worn just yesterday, hanging it on a hanger and hooking it over the top of the closet door.

“Where’d you go last night, Morgan? What was that all about?”

Straightening my shirt, I slowly turned to face my mom, watching her a moment before speaking, “Um….there’s something you need to know…”

“What’s that?”

I sighed and moved to the bed, slipping up on it next to her. “Andrew and I are not ….together.”

Her brows furrowed slightly. “You broke up? When? You haven’t seen him since you ran off last night.”

“No,” I shook my head and fiddled with the bedspread, “we were never together.”

“I… I don’t understand.” She frowned a bit.

“Andrew and I are just friends. He… is interested in me, but I…” I wet my bottom lip, “I’m seeing someone else.”

My mother’s eyes widened in surprise. “You are? I don’t understand.”

“Yesterday, Lindsay was asking if I was seeing anyone,” I began to explain the whole situation. “And she wouldn’t let up until I admitted that I kind of was. And then…when Andrew showed up at the funeral home, she just assumed he was the person I had been talking about.”

“But he wasn’t,” my mother finished for me.

“Right.” I nodded and watched her face closely. “It’s someone else. And now…the whole thing has escalated and I’m in a real mess.”

My mother gave a little sigh and I could tell she was thinking it all over. “Poor Andrew.”

“I know,” my shoulders slumped, “he’s done nothing but be a friend and now I have to like…hurt and embarrass him.”

“And your father loves him.”

“So does Mimi.”

“That she does.” She paused a moment. “Well, you really have no choice. I mean, if Andrew still wants to stay out here a few days he’s more than welcome to.”

“Yeah, but I don’t see him wanting to. Everyone’s going to know and I don’t see him sticking around to look the fool.”

“He’s not a fool.”

“I know,” I rubbed my head, “this is just a horrible situation. I should have said something much earlier, but it was like every time I tried, something came up and interrupted me.”

“Maybe there was a reason for that.”

My eyes shifted back to her. “What would that be?”

“Oh, I don’t know,” she smoothed a hand over the comforter on the bed, “maybe that was fate’s way of trying to intervene and tell you it was supposed to happen.”

“What?” I frowned a little at what it seemed like she was implying. “That Andrew and I are supposed to happen?”

“Well, maybe. I mean, every time you tried to speak up something interrupted you, he showed up here out of the blue, your family adores him and he adores you. He’s a good man with a good job and he’s got excellent manners and you two must be a good match if Dianna thought you would be.”

I couldn’t believe I was hearing this from my own mother. “Are you… wanting me with Andrew?”

She sighed and rubbed the back of her neck. “I just want you happy, baby. These last couple years have been horrible for you and you’ve gone through things no one should have to. I just want you to find that happiness again.” A shrug. “I think Andrew could do that for you.”

“Mom,” I rubbed my face with both hands trying to figure how to word this, “I know that you care about me and worry about me and want the best for me. I know that, I really do. But….Andrew isn’t it.”

Her crisp blue eyes watched me. “How do you know? Have you given it a chance?”

I wet my bottom lip. “Because, I’ve already found that in someone else.”

Something flickered in her eyes. “Who?”

“Um….his name is Alex.”

“Alex?” Her brows drew together. “Who…was that young man from last night? The one you ran off with?”

I thought I detected irritation in her last statement and tucked some hair behind my ears. “Um…that was him.”

“But…Gina said his name was…was,” she seemed to be racking her brain for his name, “A…AP? AD?”

“AJ.”

“Yes! She said his name was AJ and he…was a celebrity.” One brow rose at that.

I fiddled with the hem of my shirt. “He…is a celebrity. He’s in a group… The Backstreet Boys. And he’s known as AJ, but his name is actually Alexander, or Alex for short.”

“Alex..he…” she didn’t seem like she knew what to think or say.

“He’s wonderful, Mom. You’ll really like him.”

“But he has all those tattoos.” Her nose wrinkled.

“I know, but he’s nothing like he comes across. Appearances are really deceiving in his case.”

“Morgan, I…” she trailed off.

“Mom, please don’t do this.” I shook my head some. “You don’t even know him. You didn’t know Andrew either. Alex isn’t some …biker tough rocker dude. He’s genuine and earnest and he really, truly cares about me. He’s…” I wet my bottom lip and thought back over our time together, “he’s helped me with a lot of stuff and if it weren’t for him…who knows where I’d be right now in my life.”

“What are you saying?” Her eyes searched my face.

Oh boy, here it comes. “I’m saying,” my fingers were twisting in the bottom of my shirt, “that I love him. And he loves me.”

“How long have you been seeing this man?”

“That has nothing to do with it. The things that Alex has helped me through…what he’s made me realize and how he’s helped me overcome my issues is what it is.”

She sighed and pushed some of her blonde hair from her face. “What has he helped you with?”

“Everything, Mom.” I reached and took her hand with mine. “He has done so much for me… he’s made me realize that there is life out there and love for me still. He’s been patient and let me take my time in realizing these things, and he hasn’t pressured me into anything, or forced me or tried to hurry me along. He’s let me come to him.”

She studied me and I saw her gaze soften some. Reaching her free hand out, she stroked my cheek. “And you really love him? Really, truly… like you loved Hugh?”

“No,” I shook my head, “not like I loved Hugh. I was in a different place than I am now. I have all these experiences and life lessons that I’m taking into this relationship with Alex and it makes the love different. Hugh was so special to me, Mama, and I’m always going to love him and have a place for him, but I can’t live in the past. He’s not coming back,” I felt a few tears glisten in my eyes at that thought, “and I have to move on with my life.”

“I understand, baby.” She pulled me into a hug, holding me close and kissing the top of my head. “We all want you to move on with your life and find that love and happiness again.”

“No matter who it’s with?” I peeked up to her face.

She kissed my temple and hugged me a little tighter. “No matter who it’s with, baby. Just long as you’re happy and he treats you right.”

I had to smile. “He does and I am, Mom. I really, truly am.”

“Thank God.” She released me, but not before kissing my forehead. “We needed a little bit of sunshine through all the rain and I’m so glad it’s you bringing it to us.”

I smiled at that and pushed some hair over my shoulder. “I’m doing what I can.”

She nodded then sat up straighter and watched me with a concerned motherly expression. “So, when do we get to officially meet this Alex?”

~*~*~*~*~

“Hey,” Andrew greeted me an hour later as he appeared in the doorway to my bedroom.

I looked up from the book I was reading. “Hey.”

He motioned his hand towards the doorway. “Can I come in?”

“Yeah, of course.” I untucked myself from where I had been curled up on the window seat and stretched my legs out. “Your golf game got rained out, huh?”

“Yeah,” he chuckled and sauntered into the room, “we didn’t make it past the ninth hole.”

“That’s too bad.”

“Totally, but we’re gonna try to go again maybe tomorrow morning.” He sank down next to me. “Though, I think it’ll just be me and your dad, your uncle Spencer didn’t seem too interested in a rematch when he discovered he was losing so badly.”

I chuckled low and tucked a bookmark into my book then set it aside. “He’s not a very good loser.”

“Not at all.” He reached up and ran his hand through his freshly showered hair. “So, what’s up? What have you been doing?”

I gave a simple shrug. “Not much, just doing some reading while I waited for you men folk to return.”

“Ahh, well here I am.” He flashed a warm grin and touched my leg.

I chuckled and gave a little nod. “Yes, here you are.” I really had no idea how to start with what I needed to tell him.

“So, um…it may not be my place, but can I ask what happened to you last night?” Maybe I wouldn’t need to.

“Um, actually, Andrew, I wanted to talk to you about that.” I tucked some hair behind my ear.

“Of course. What’s up?”

I wet my bottom lip and smoothed my shirt. “Andrew,” I began slowly, trying to piece together my words before speaking them. “I really appreciate that you came out here. It’s…been a really tough time and knowing that I have people that care about me and want to help me out, means a lot.”

“Well, of course.” He smiled and touched my cheek. “I’m just doing what I can. Though, I have to admit…I was rather surprised that you’d told your family about me and…that you’re interested.”

Oh boy, here it was. “Andrew…” I really didn’t want to hurt his feelings, but I had to tell him. “Um…listen, there’s something I need to tell you.”

“What’s that?”

Reaching up, I fiddled with the silver chain that hung around my neck. “Things… um… they’ve kind of been misconstrued.”

“What do you mean?” His brows furrowed.

I sighed and rubbed the back of my neck in a nervous gesture. “Um… yesterday, I uh… told my aunt that I was seeing someone…” I watched confusion flicker in his eyes, but continued, “And when you showed up at the funeral home…she thought you were who I had been talking about.”

“It…wasn’t me?”

I shook my head, my shoulders slumping some.

“Then who?”

“A…a guy I’ve been seeing for a little while now.”

“But,” his brow darkened, “you said you weren’t ready to date anyone. Or were you lying to me?”

“No!” I shook my head vehemently. “I never lied to you, Andrew. I didn’t want to date anyone, I wasn’t ready to date anyone…but this just sort of happened.”

He gave a snort. “You expect me to believe that? You told me quite a few times you weren’t ready and now you’re seeing someone else.”

“Because I wasn’t ready!” I stressed the words. “But…this just… it just happened.”

“It just happened?” He shook his head some. “That’s total bullshit. Things don’t just happen.”

Now it was my turn to frown. “Yes, they do!”

“Then you should have told me!” He rose to his feet, towering over my petite frame. “You shouldn’t have let me carry on and insist on still dating you! And you sure as hell shouldn’t have let it come to this!” He waved an arm around the room, his voice full of anger.

I winced at his tone and shrunk back some in the seat. “I didn’t mean to, okay? I tried to say something when …when all the confusion started, but it just …it snowballed.”

“Yeah, it snowballed.” He frowned more. “After you let me meet your family, after you invited me to stay in your home… after I went fucken golfing with your dad. They’re going to think I’m a fucken moron!”

“No…no they’re not.” I eased myself off the window seat. “I explained things to my mom and she understands…and I’m sure my dad will too.”

He glared at me, his hands balled into tight fists, his chest giving those angry heaves.

I wet my bottom lip. “Look, Andrew, I really am sorry that it happened this way. I… never expected you to show up at the funeral home and I never expected my family to invite you over to the house. I didn’t want you to be embarrassed, so I was going to wait until you were leaving and explain things to you. But then they asked you to stay and Alex showed up-”

“Was that him?” He interrupted my explanation.

I blinked. “Um…”

“That punk that showed up last night is the guy you’re seeing?” He shook his head again, his jaw clenched tight. “What does that prick have that I don’t?”

“He is not a prick!” I could feel my own anger starting to come to the surface.

“That’s your type, huh? Tattoos and that ‘bad boy’ personality?”

My eyes narrowed. “You know nothing about him!”

“I can be a bad boy if that’s what gets you hot.” He took a step towards me.

I blinked at his innuendo and moved back from him, the back of my legs hitting the window seat.

“You wanna see how bad I can get, Morgan?” His eyes burned into mine and he moved even closer.

I had a feeling something terrible was about to happen. “N…no…”

“Oh, I think you do.” He reached for my arms, but I batted his hands away.

“Stop it.”

“Is that what you tell him?” He grabbed for me again.

“Get away!” I shoved hard at his chest causing him to stumble back a few steps. “Don’t you ever touch me!” I could feel the anger radiating off my body causing it to tremble.

He caught his balance and smoothed his shirt, regaining his composure. “I… shit, I’m sorry, Morgan.”

“No,” I shook my head, putting even more space between us, “please leave, I … I don’t want to talk to you anymore.”

Andrew ran a hand through his hair. “Morgan, just let me explain.”

“No, Andrew!” I frowned at him. “You need to leave; I think you’ve explained enough.”

He gave a heavy sigh and his shoulders dropped. “I’m sorry, okay?”

I wanted to turn my back on him, but I didn’t trust him enough to do that. “Just go.”

“Okay,” he took a step towards me, “but when you get back to California, we’ll need to talk.”

“I’m done talking to you.”

“No, you’re not, sweetheart.” He winked at me and then sauntered from the room.

I watched him go then gave a frown and grabbed up one of the decorative pillows on the window seat, flinging it angrily across the room. The gall of that man! He had infuriated me to no end; insulting Alex, accusing me of lying and then trying to manhandle me. I knew he was going to be angry, but I hadn’t expected that childish behavior to set in. And what the hell did he mean we weren’t done talking? There was no way I was going to have anything to do with Andrew Holden again. Period.

Chapter Thirty-Five by summer
Author's Notes:
Thank you again for all your awesome feedback! You guys are too sweet and I appreciate each and every one of you. I'm loving what ya'll think about Andrew and I'm sorry if I got some of you all riled up hehe. Hope you enjoy this chp and as always, lemme know what you think! :)

 

I didn’t come out of my room until Andrew left. I don’t know what he told my parents, and I really didn’t care, I just wanted him gone. When I rejoined my family downstairs, my dad seemed rather confused. So, I took him into his office and explained what I had told my mother; that it had been a huge misunderstanding and I was seeing someone else. Someone I had very strong feelings for and someone that wasn’t going to be leaving the picture anytime soon. He took it all in stride, being a bit disappointed because he had liked Andrew so much, but he said he was looking forward to meeting Alex. He told me the heart can’t help who it loves and that it was okay that Andrew and I weren’t together. Then he asked when I was going to bring Alex over.

I still wasn’t too sure myself when I could introduce them all, but I knew it needed to be soon. Though, I didn’t think showing up at the visitation that night was appropriate. Maybe we could do it on Tuesday, there wasn’t much going on other than welcoming more family and friends that were coming from out of town for the funeral on Wednesday. I didn’t want him to meet my entire family, but definitely my parents, Mimi, Grasyon and Candace. Maybe a nice dinner out somewhere would work.

So, I told my dad that I would speak with Alex and let him know what we decided. I hadn’t mentioned a word of what had transpired upstairs between Andrew and me and I didn’t think I needed to. Much easier to just forget the drama and move on then relish in it and make it bigger than it needed to be. Andrew was gone, Alex was here and things were good.

The visitation also went well, as good as it could. There weren’t any unexpected surprises and I handled things better when people began to question what I’d been up to for the last few years. I was also able to explain to my aunts, uncles and cousins that Andrew had left and we were truly just friends. My mimi didn’t hide her disappointment well, but she cheered up when she found out I had been seeing someone else. There were a few curious looks, some whispers and questions from the others, but all in all, things seemed to have finally bowled over and died down. Now, I just had to worry about arranging a time for my parents to meet Alex.

I had wanted to drive over to the hotel and see him after we got back from the funeral home, but it was late and my mom really wanted me to stick around, so I did. And then when I finally headed up to the bedroom to retire for the night, I called him.

He answered on the second ring, “Hello.”

I couldn’t help the smile that graced my face. “Hey.”

His tone told me he was smiling as well. “Well, hello there, beautiful. How are you?”

“Tired, but much better now that I’m talking to you.”

“Ooh, well I’m glad I could be of service.”

I giggled at that and settled myself into the bed. “I missed you today.”

“Aww, I missed you too, baby.”

“I talked to my parents.”

“You did?”

“Mmhmm,” I gave a nod, studying the swirled patterns on the ceiling, “I talked too Andrew, too.”

“Ooh,” he paused a moment, “how’d he take it?”

“Not good.”

“What’d he do?”

I thought back to his angry outbursts. “Um….well, first he called me a liar, then he yelled at me and basically accused me of leading him on, and when I tried to explain what had happened, he got all …” I searched for the right explanation, “snarky and just…weird; started calling you a punk and asking if I liked bad boys.” I intentionally left out the part with him making an unwanted advance on me.

“He’s an ass.” I could hear his snort through the phone. “I’m sorry, baby, but I’m glad it’s done with.”

“Me too, though I don’t think we’ll ever be talking again.”

“Maybe that’s a good thing.”

“Yeah, you know, my mom actually thought maybe Andrew and I were meant to be.”

There was a pause.

I blinked then wanted to smack myself. “She didn’t really know about you yet, Alex.”

“Hey, you don’t have to explain. I saw what he looked like. Compared to me, he was fine wine and caviar.”

“I don’t care if he was sushi and chocolate; he isn’t you.” I peeked to the phone. “She was just saying that because he showed up out of the blue, every time I tried to explain what was really going on, someone interrupted me, he has a good job, he’s polite with good manners and Dianna thought we’d be good together.”

He hesitated. “Why did Dianna think you’d be good together?”

I gave an inward groan and pulled a pillow over my head. I had never told him about being set up on the blind date. “Well, you know how I told you that he wanted to date me?”

“Yeah,” his response sounded on edge.

“Well… that’s cuz we kind of went on one date. Back, before I met you, Dianna set us up on this blind date. But I wasn’t feeling it and told him I just wanted to be friends.”

“Ooh, it all makes more sense to me now.”

I chuckled low and pushed the pillow away. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you that.”

“Hey, it’s okay. Just long as you don’t have any other secrets.” I knew he was teasing me.

“No, I think you know everything else.”

“Good.” I could hear him stretching some. “So, your parents took the news well?”

“Better than my grandmother.”

“Uh oh,” he laughed low, “what happened?”

"She got so sad and talked about how now she wouldn’t get to see wine country and go out on a sailboat. I felt so terrible cuz she’s already going through something pretty bad and I had to give her more sad news.”

“She wants to go to wine country and sailing?”

“Yeah, when she comes out to visit me. But, she understands and cheered up a little when I did tell her there was someone else. Then she asked if you had a sailboat.”

“I don’t have a sailboat, but I have some friends that do. When your mimi comes to visit, we’ll take her sailing and then up into wine country. You can tell her I said that.”

I felt the smile growing. “Really?”

“Absolutely. Whatever she wants, we’ll do.”

I giggled low. “Have I told you how wonderful you are, yet?”

“Hmm, no, I don’t think you have.”

“Well, you are; absolutely wonderful. And I love you.”

“I love you, too.” I could hear the warmth in his voice and knew he meant it.

“You better, because my parents want to meet you tomorrow sometime.”

He hesitated. “They do?”

“Yes, and Mimi. I’m sure the rest of my brood does too, but I’m not really ready to thrust you into the lion’s den.”

He chuckled. “Please don’t do that.”

“So, I’ll just settle with my parents, Mimi and maybe Grayson and his wife.”

He let out a breath. “And they wanna do this tomorrow?”

“Yeah.” I sat up some and fluffed a few pillows behind me. “I think tomorrow would be best. I don’t want them to meet you officially at the funeral on Wednesday and we don’t have too much going on tomorrow other than welcoming more family and friends. So, maybe we could slip away for lunch or dinner and meet up with you somewhere.”

“I guess that would be okay.”

I glanced to the phone. “You guess?”

“I’m just nervous, baby.”

“Aww,” I pouted some for him. “What are you nervous about? They’re going to love you.”

“How do you know?”

“Because I do and they don’t have any reason not to.”

“I’m not exactly what parents have in mind when it comes to who they want dating their daughter.”

“Maybe not, but after the way you’ve helped me and how good you are for me, they’re going to shower you with praise.”

“You really think so?”

I couldn’t help but smile. “I know so. All either of them has wanted for the last couple years is for me to smile again, be happy and move past Hugh; get on with my life. And because of you, I’m doing that. They’re going to be so grateful and absolutely adore you.”

He gave a little sigh. “Well, I’m really glad you think so, but it still makes me nervous.”

“I know, but I’m going to be there every step of the way.”

“I’m glad.” He paused a moment, his tone softening, “You know, I’m finding out that I need you as much as you need me.”

That made my heart melt. “You do?”

“I do. And after having you in my bed all night last night, I don’t wanna sleep alone tonight.”

My eyes drifted to the clock. “Me either.”

“But it’s too late, right?”

I sighed some and rubbed my forehead. “Want to sleep over? I could sneak you in the back door, I think everyone’s in bed.”

“And come right into the lion’s den? What about in the morning?”

“Maybe breakfast would be a good time for you to meet them.” I shrugged. “Or, we could wake before everyone else does and I can sneak you back out.”

That made him chuckle. “I feel like we’re in high school.”

I giggled and peeked to the phone. “I know right, but I don’t care. We’re adults and I really want to see you.”

“I want to see you, too.”

“Then come over, you can climb up the trellis and into my window.”

“And break my ass when I fall.”

“Aww, I don’t want you to do that. Okay, we’ll use the back door.”

He chuckled low and then spoke the words that made my heart soar, “I’ll be right over.”

~*~*~*~*~

That night we slept in each other’s arms. Nothing freaky happened and that was fine with me, I just liked being held close and listening to the sound of his breathing and waking in the morning to see his beautiful face. I had set my alarm for 5:30 in the morning, hoping that’d be enough time for Alex to slip back outside and make his getaway. It went off too early in my opinion and the groan from beside me told me he felt the same way. Pushing myself up on an elbow, I reached over and shut it off, falling back against the pillow with a sigh.

“Damn… is it time already?” His voice was thick and laced with sleep.

“Mmhmm.” I rubbed my eyes then rolled to face him, wrapping my arms around his chest. “Don’t go.”

“I don’t want to,” he smoothed his hand to my back, “but if I stay, your family is going to find out.”

“So?” I had my eyes closed, my head tucked against his chest listening to the rhythm of his heartbeat.

“You don’t want us to meet at dinner?”

I nuzzled my face against his chest. “No, I do…but I don’t want you to leave. You could stay here in my room all day long and then sneak out just before the dinner.”

He laughed at that then kissed my head and gently slipped me off his chest. “I could look through your panty drawer.”

I giggled and watched him sit up. “Tonight, I’ll try to make it to the hotel.”

“You think your fam will be okay with that? What time is your grandfather’s funeral?”

“It’s at 11, but you’re coming with so we can just meet everyone back here at the house beforehand. I think the limo is arriving to pick us up about 10:30.”

“Okay,” he smiled down at me then leaned over and brushed his lips over my forehead, “but lemme get dressed and get outta here before anyone stirs.”

“Alright,” I pouted, but relented.

A few moments later he was dressed and ready to go and we quietly snuck down the stairs to the first floor.

I peeked around the banister and towards the hall that led into the kitchen, but didn’t see or hear anyone. “I think it’s clear.”

“You sure?” He leaned around the stairs above me, peering down the hallway.

“Yeah, c’mon.” I took hold of his hand and quickly tiptoed towards the foyer.

We made it safely and I undid the latch and quietly opened the door.

“So, you’ll give me a call after you find out what time we’re doing dinner?”

I glanced back from checking the stairs again to face Alex. “Of course. If they don’t want to go until later, I just may come over or something. I don’t really want to sit around here.”

“That’d be great.” He smoothed a hand to my cheek and dipped his head, meeting my mouth with his.

I melted against him as our tongues smoothed together and he nibbled at my bottom lip. He had this uncanny knack for making me weak at the knees and he was casting it over me as his hand slipped into my hair and he pulled me closer. I could feel the air around us warming and forced myself back before I lunged at him and didn’t let him leave.

He gave a low chuckle, knowing that’s exactly what I was doing. “Yeah, I need to go.”

I nodded, feeling my lips tingling from his kiss.

“But, we will definitely finish this later.” He brushed his lips lightly over mine then kissed my cheek.

“Kay.” I reached up and touched his neck as he pulled back. “Drive safe.”

“Always, baby. Love you.”

I smiled. “Love you.” Then I watched as he slipped out onto the porch and hurried across the yard to his car.

Giving a sigh, I turned to head back to the stairs and gave a yelp at the person standing in the entryway to the living room.

“Gina!” I grabbed my chest. “Damn, you scared me.”

“Was that AJ?”

I glanced towards the front door then back to her. “Um…”

“It was, wasn’t it?” She moved further into the foyer, clad in a pair of blue pajama pants and a grey tee. I had totally forgotten that she was sleeping on the sofa bed in the living room.

“Wha...um...how much did you see?”

She shrugged. “Not much, just someone leaving. What was he doing here so early?” Then her eyes widened. “Ooh! Did he stay the night?!”

I blushed then tugged on the edge of my tank top. “He just came by to say hello.”

“At 5:30 in the morning? Right.” Her eye roll proved she didn’t believe me.

My blush deepened and I quickly moved to her, tugging her further from the living room where her sister was still sleeping, hopefully. “Shh, keep your voice down.”

“He did stay the night, didn’t he?” She giggled and squeezed my arm. “This is so awesome! You and AJ McLean!”

“Shh!” I hushed her again. “Don’t wake anyone up.”

“Sorry,” her voice immediately lowered. “So, how serious are you two?

“Um…pretty serious.” I wasn’t totally comfortable with telling my cousin about our relationship, but a few tidbits couldn’t hurt. Just no details.

“Aww, that’s so great! When do I get to meet him?”

“I… don’t know…” I really wasn’t sure when, or if, they’d get to meet.

“You said yesterday that I probably could.”

Crap, I had forgotten about that. “Okay, you’re right. He’s going to be at the funeral with me, so afterwards at the dinner, you can meet him officially.”

She gave a quiet cheer and wrapped her arms around my neck, hugging me tight. “Ooh, this is so awesome! No one is going to believe me when I tell them, but who cares!”

I laughed low. “Can I go back to bed now?”

“Of course.” She took a step back. “I’m too excited to go back to sleep.”

“I’m sorry; we didn’t mean to wake you.”

“No, it’s okay. It wouldn’t be long before we were wakened by the others anyway.”

“True.” I gave a little nod and then blinked. “Hey, don’t tell anyone that he was here, okay? I’m not ready for everyone to know what’s going on between us,” then I blushed at the innuendo. “Not that anything is going on, we were just sleeping, that’s all.”

Gina laughed and her eyes twinkled. “Uh huh, you really think that’s gonna work on me?”

“It’s the truth.”

“Sure, and I’m the Queen of England.”

“Then, it’s nice to meet you, Your Majesty.” I gave a little curtsy. “But if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to retire again to my bedroom chambers.” Then I turned and headed back up the stairs, leaving my giggling cousin behind.

Chapter Thirty-Six by summer
Author's Notes:
Gosh, I'm so sorry it took me so long to update. I got a little stuck for a bit, but I worked past it. And I'm back! And thank you guys so much for the feedback! You're all so awesome and I'm so appreciative and always looking forward to what you have to say. And this one.. is the chapter you've been waiting on for awhile now hehe.. meeting the folks. Hope you enjoy! And let me know how you thought it turned out. :)

 

The Lake View Restaurant was one of Coventry’s most popular restaurants; hosting parties from family reunions to graduations to wedding receptions. It was located right on Coventry Lake and while it gave that homey feeling, looking more like a mountain lodge resort, the food was exquisite and prepared by some of the best chefs in the state. We arrived at six and were seated outside on the deck overlooking the lake. It wasn’t very crowded considering it was a Tuesday night and only a few other groups were occupying the tables, eating and chatting away. The night was cool and I had dressed in a pair of black Capri slacks and simple, yet dressy, deep pink top. With the slight chill in the breeze, I had also brought a black cardigan which I now wore to cover my bare arms.

I was nervous for my family to meet Alex and I was nervous for Alex to meet my family. I knew they would like each other, but there’s always that little bit of doubt that hides in the back of your mind. And I knew my brother could be a bit standoffish giving the impression that he didn’t care for someone. Hopefully this dinner would go well and they’d accept Alex into their lives like I had accepted him into mine.

We didn’t have long to wait before Alex was shown through the doors from the dining room and led to our table. He was dressed in some dark slacks and a long sleeve, white dress shirt with a black vest over it. He looked nervous, but when our eyes met he flashed me his charming grin and I had to smile.

“Hey,” I greeted him, rising from my seat and giving his arm a gentle squeeze.

“Hi.” He kissed my cheek then looked to where the rest of my family had stood as well.

I took his hand in mine and gave it a comforting squeeze. “Um, Alex, these are my parents; Miriam and Neil,” I motioned towards them, “my brother, Grayson and his wife, Candace and my grandmother, Sophie.”

“Call me Mimi.” She took his free hand in her own. “You’re a handsome one, decorated or not.”

Alex chuckled low. “Thank you. It’s nice to meet all of you.”

“Likewise.” My mother moved around the table and over to him. “We’ve heard a lot about you.” When he went in for a handshake, she shook her head. “No, gimme a hug.” Then she hugged him all warm and friendly.

I couldn’t help but smile; so far so good.

One by one, the rest of my family shook his hand and soon we were seated again, Alex right next to me and Mimi on his other side.

I reached over and took his hand, pulling it into my lap. “Did you find the place okay?”

“Oh yeah, your directions were perfect.” He squeezed my hand and grinned at me.

“Good.”

“So, Alex, how long are you going to be in town for?” My father questioned him from across the table.

“I’m not really sure, Sir. It depends on how long Morgan is going to be here for.”

We don’t even know that.” My mom lifted an eyebrow in my direction.

“I’ll probably be heading back to California, Friday or Saturday.”

My mimi pouted at me. “So soon? It seems like you just got here.”

“It’s been almost two weeks, Mimi.”

“Gosh, I can’t believe that.” She shook her head and sighed.

“How long have you two been seeing each other?” My sister-in-law questioned us as she sipped from her glass of wine.

Alex’s brow furrowed as he thought it over, then glanced to me. “Um…how long has it been?”

I giggled. “About six weeks.”

“How’d you meet?”

“On the beach.” Alex looked back to Candace. “She was there with Daisy and I had brought my dog …and they immediately hit it off, so we started talking.”

I was appreciative that he didn’t tell them the real scenario of our first encounter. “Yeah, the dogs actually starting dating before we did.”

“Can they do that?” Candace’s eyes widened some.

“You know, I have been wondering that same thing. But it’s so obvious that they’re in love.”

“What kind of dog do you have?” My mom looked rather interested.

“I have two actually, a Bermese Mountain Dog and an Australian Shepherd; Bernie and Ozzie.”

“And they’re both so precious.”

It was at that moment that our server arrived and we ordered some drinks and appetizers and told her we needed more time for the main course. After she went on her way, we spent the next few moments reading over the menu choices and deciding what to order. Finally, after everyone had figured it out and we’d relayed it to Holly, our server, conversation turned back to Alex.

“Morgan tells us you’re a musician?” My dad started it off.

“Yes, Sir.” Under the table, Alex reached for my hand.

“What exactly do you do?”

“I’m a singer, mainly, but I also play guitar, the drums and write music. Lately, I’ve been dabbling in some producing as well.”

“My niece, Gina, tells us you’re in a group that’s famous,” my mother joined in on the conversation.

He gave a nod. “That’s right; The Backstreet Boys.”

“I knew you looked familiar!” Candace exclaimed from her seat.

I laughed and held his hand with both of mine. “Gina’s a pretty big fan of yours and she’s excited to meet you tomorrow.”

“It’s always a pleasure to meet our fans. They’re the ones who got us where we are.”

“Are you a rock star?” My grandmother questioned from her spot beside him.

Alex chuckled. “Not anything like Gene Simmons, Keith Richards or Mick Jagger. We sing more pop, adult contemporary music.”

“Oh good, I would hate for my granddaughter to get caught up in that rock star life; sex, drugs, rock n’ roll.” She made a face.

I felt Alex stiffen and I gave a laugh. “Mimi, he’s nothing like that. We do pretty normal things.”

“Mother, don’t make him uncomfortable,” my mother warned hers.

“Mimi, Alex says that when you come out to LA to visit, he’ll take us up into wine country,” I quickly changed the subject.

“Really, young man?”

He nodded his head. “That’s right. We’ll go up there a few days; tour the vineyards, see the ocean; whatever you’d like.”

“Oh, that sounds absolutely wonderful!” She clasped her hands together, a smile on her face.

“Morgan thought you would like that.” His warm eyes met mine and he gave my hand a squeeze.

“I can’t take all the credit,” I peeked around him over to my grandmother, “it was his idea, too.”

She smiled and then patted his shoulder. “I like you already.”

Everyone chuckled and my dad took control of the conversation again, “Tell us about your family, Alex.”

My date sat up a little straighter, letting our server, who had returned with our appetizers, set them down and everyone to get settled with some on their plates before speaking, “Well, my mom and stepfather live in Orlando, Florida. That’s where I grew up, basically. And I don’t have any brothers or sisters.”

“What do they do?”

“My mom’s a life coach and my step dad is retired. He used to work for an insurance company.”

“It’s so wonderful to be retired.” My dad chuckled. “I just retired myself last year; spent the last 20 years as a probate court judge.”

Alex’s brows rose. “That sounds like an interesting job.” He looked to my mom. “What do you do, Mrs. Huntley?”

“Please, call me Miriam.”

He gave a nod. “Miriam.”

She smiled at that. “I’m a professor at the University of Connecticut. I teach history and government.”

“Oh, that’s great.” Alex smiled warmly at her. “I bet that keeps you busy.”

She nodded. “Most nights.”

“I’m trying to talk her into retiring.”

I chuckled at my dad. “She isn’t going to retire until she’s ready to.”

“That’s right.” My mom nudged him with her elbow.

“I keep hoping one day maybe she’ll change her mind.”

“Whenever I do retire, I am not traveling in any Winnebago.”

I laughed. “What?”

“Your father wants to buy a Winnebago and for us to travel the country in it.”

My dad chuckled. “Just for the summer and we’d rent it.”

“I told you I want to go to Italy.”

“Yeah, yeah.” He sighed some and turned back to his food.

I chuckled low and watched between my parents. They’d been pretty good about not arguing in the last couple weeks with my grandfather’s heart attack and then death, but I knew it wouldn’t be long again before they were back to their nit picking and badgering. Though, none of it was in seriousness, they loved each other with a strong passion. That was just the way they were, the way they’d always been.

“So, Alex,” my brother spoke up from where he’d been quietly observing the conversation so far, “just how serious are you and my sister?”

That drew my attention and I looked to him, frowning a bit. “Grayson.”

He held up a hand. “It’s a good question.”

“Grayson, sweetheart,” his wife chimed in, “is that really any of our business?”

I’d always been just slightly jealous of Candace, with her perfect olive skin, her bright emerald colored eyes and her gorgeous and thick raven hair that never ever appeared out of place. But at the moment, I wanted to lean over the table and hug her tight. And maybe muss the hair, just a little bit.

“Of course it is,” he responded. “Alex is part of Morgan’s life and that makes him a part of ours. Besides,” those crystal eyes watched my date unwavering, “I just want to make sure she’s being taken care of and no one is gonna hurt her. She’s been through enough the last few years, she doesn’t need any more shit.”

“Grayson!” My mom looked horrified at his choice of words.

“You know it’s true, Mom.”

“You don’t have to curse at the dinner table.”

“Sorry; any more crap,” he corrected himself.

I frowned a little. “Alex isn’t going to-”

“No, it’s fine, Morgan,” he interrupted me. “I understand where your brother is coming from.”

“Good.” Grayson watched him with a fixed expression; one that said he didn’t trust him and he wasn’t sure if he even liked him.

Alex didn’t appear fazed by my brother’s hard stare; in fact, he matched it with one of his own. “Your sister and I are very serious. And contrary to whatever it is you’re thinking, I’m not going to hurt her. I know she’s been through a lot,” he glanced my way then back over to Grayson, “and I have every intention of doing whatever I can to make her happy again. And keep her that way.”

I felt a flood of warmth rush through me at his words and squeezed his hand with both of mine, wanting to just lean over and kiss all over his face.

“How do we know you speak the truth?”

“You’re just gonna have to stick around and find out.”

“Grayson, I think that’s enough,” my father spoke low to him.

“You’re right.” He turned back to Alex. “I’m sorry, but you can’t blame me for being concerned.”

“I don’t blame you one bit.” He pulled my hand into his lap. “If I had a sister, I’d probably be doing the same thing,” then his beautiful eyes met mine, “but I have no intentions of going anywhere.”

I smiled and touched his cheek. “I know.”

“Good.” He kissed my palm and then turned back to the table as our main dishes were brought over and served.

~*~*~*~*~

Hours later, Alex and I lay side by side in his big bed. We were both naked, covered haphazardly with the sheet, the rest of the covers tossed from the bed. I was staring up at the ceiling with my head on his chest, thinking back over the dinner and relieved that it had gone pretty well. After the food had been served, we’d fallen into relaxed conversation sharing different stories and letting my family find out more about Alex; what he liked, didn’t like, did in his spare time, his favorite things about his career, what he hated about it. There weren’t any more uncomfortable conversations and when we’d finally bid them goodnight, my mom and Mimi had both hugged him tightly and my father had even suggested getting together for golf.

“Penny for your thoughts?”

I shifted to my side and looked to his face. “Just thinking about the dinner tonight.”

He smiled and brushed his fingers through my hair, mussed from the love making we’d spent the last few hours participating in. “I think your parents like me.”

“I think so, too.”

“And your mimi.”

I smiled. “She adores you.”

“You think so?”

“Oh yeah,” I gave a nod, “you heard her say she wanted to take you home with her. You really charmed her good.”

He chuckled and played with the ends of my hair. “I’m not so sure about your brother, though.”

“Eh,” I made a face, “I think you’re okay in his book. He’s just a little wary.”

“He has good reason.”

“Yeah.” I kissed his chest then pushed myself up on an elbow. “Can I ask you something?”

“Anything, baby.”

“Tonight at dinner, you got a little stiff when my grandmother mentioned sex, drugs and rock n’ roll,” I studied his face, “what was that about?”

He sighed and rubbed his eyes. “I had a feeling you were going to bring this up.”

I sat up then tugged the sheet up around me. “I know what a celebrity life is probably like, I’ve heard the stories and seen the pictures; parties and drinking, staying out till dawn, all the drugs and eating disorders. It’s a lot of pressure to keep on top and I can only assume that leads to other things.”

“Yeah, very easily it can lead to other things.”

I studied him, drawing my legs up and wrapping my arms around them. “Did that happen to you?”

“Would it make you look at me any differently?”

“Not at all.” I shook my head. “Whatever it was you got involved with, something tells me it’s not that way anymore.”

“Well, that something is right.” He sat up and fixed the sheet over his lap.

I rested my chin on my knees. “What happened?”

Alex sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. “It was a long time ago, when we were really at the height of our fame. I started hanging out with the wrong crowd for the wrong reasons and started doing things I shouldn’t have been. I was caught up in the attention, the adrenaline rush; in trying to make the battles I was struggling with disappear. And I thought that alcohol and drugs were the way to do it.”

“How bad did it get?”

His brooding eyes met mine and I shivered at the expression in them. “Really bad. I became a totally different person. I was lying to my family, my friends, the group…I was doing anything I could to get a fix; I became sneaky and crafty and did things I’m horrified at, but back then I did them without batting an eye. I didn’t recognize or even like myself, but I didn’t care. I was constantly drinking and because of that, a lot of that time, I don’t even remember. It’s just…blank spaces to me.”

“Geeze,” I breathed out softly.

“Yeah,” he nodded in agreement with my disbelief, “I’m so fucken lucky I didn’t physically hurt or kill someone, or myself.”

“My God.” I reached for his hand.

“Yeah, it was pretty bad.” He shook his head at the thought. “But then one day, one of my bandmates sort of opened up my eyes. I realized that my life had gone to shit, that if it continued this way I was going to die and that I almost didn’t have anyone left. I’d pushed them all away.” He watched me then brought my hand to his chest and held it there protectively. “I wanted to die, but I called my mom and got into a rehab center. It was probably the hardest, and most difficult, time of my life and quite a few times I wanted to walk out and get drunk off my ass, but I didn’t. And,” his eyes searched mine with a pleading look, “I walked out of there sober and drug free. And I stayed that way for a year, but it’s hard… really hard to not falter. Every day is a damn struggle and one day, I fucked it all up. But I was able to work past that and get sober again and stay that way.”

My eyes glistened with tears. “I’m so proud of you.”

The corner of his mouth turned up a tiny grin. “Thank you, I’m really trying.”

“I know,” I shifted closer to him and smoothed a hand over his cheek, “and whatever you need, I’ll do what I can. Just…lemme know.”

“You’ve already done more than you’ll know.”

I caressed his cheek. “What do you mean?”

“Just… you. Before I met you, I was having some really hard days and a few times I nearly fell of that wagon.” He wet his bottom lip. “But then you came into my life and…it suddenly became so much easier to just be me and not struggle every day with wanting a drink.” A beat. “I’m not saying I don’t still have my moments, because Lord knows I do, but just…” he shook his head and chuckled some. “It’s silly, never mind.”

“No, it’s not silly. What is it?”

Alex sighed and ran his hand over his mouth. “I feel like…with you I have no pressure and I don’t have to be something I’m not. I can actually relax and just be myself…you don’t judge me and you don’t expect certain things from me. You just let us be what we are.” He brushed some hair from my face. “And you give me this strength inside and I know I can persevere and overcome the temptations.”

I was a puddle right there on the bed; completely melted at his words. Tears shone in my eyes, but I didn’t bother wiping them away. “You give me strength, too. And…you’ve given me my life back.”

“Oh, baby,” his fingers ghosted along my cheek, “I just helped you find it again.”

“I love you,” I breathed out, shifting my body and straddling his lap. “And I hope I get to spend a long, long time showing you that.”

“Mmm, I love you, too.” He pushed the sheet from us and smoothed his strong hands down over my thighs. “You could start by showing me some of that love right now.”

I giggled low at that and kissed along his neck, allowing him to grip my hips and lift me some before guiding them down on him. “Gladly,” I managed out as a flush of tingles spread up into my belly. “I’ll gladly show you love anytime you want.”

“Mm, yeah,” he grunted and pulled my body flush against his, nipping at my shoulder. “You feel so damn good.”

I shivered at the tone in his voice and began to set the rhythm, moving my body against his in ways I knew he liked. Alex was insatiable; I just wanted, no needed, to be as close as possible with him all the time and that made me wonder if we’d get any sleep that night. Which if we didn’t, would be fine by me.

Chapter Thirty-Seven by summer
Author's Notes:
So sorry for the delay...but things just don't want to cooperate. But I have a chapter for you and I hope you enjoy it! Hopefully the next update won't be so long away. And thank you so much! for all your feedback. You all are so wonderful!

 

“The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”

The minister quoted the familiar Psalm 23 as the crowd of funeral attendees huddled together beneath a bleak gray sky. It was a sea of black and though the sky hadn’t yet opened up and rained down upon us, it was fitting for the mood that was carried on everyone’s faces and in their hearts. I was sandwiched between Alex and my mom as we stood there beside the dark mahogany coffin, waiting for it to be lowered into the earth.

The service at the church had been beautiful, emotional, but beautiful with readings of scriptures and a few speakers who shared stories about my poppy’s life. I sat there next to Alex, with tears streaking my cheeks, trying not to crumble. My mother wept from her place next to my father and my grandmother kept her head bowed for most the service. I was grateful to have Alex at my side. Watching as the pallbearers came to collect my grandfather’s coffin and wheel it out of the church nearly broke me and it was Alex who slid his strong arm around my waist to keep me from sliding to the floor.

And then we followed, riding in a solemn silence behind the Hurst to the gravesite where the rest of the congregation had gathered. It was the committal service and our final adieu to Poppy and as I listened to the minister’s words, my vision began to blur and a choked sob spilled from my mouth. The Psalm he was sharing began to dim in my ears as I stared at that coffin, suddenly being taken back to Hugh’s funeral, remembering how the pain had ripped my chest open. It was starting to happen again; I could feel that sharp stab inside and grabbed at the collar to my dress, finding it difficult to breathe.

Next to me, Alex’s arm slipped around my waist and he pulled me closer to his side. “Just breathe, baby,” he whispered softly in my ear, his breath tickling at my skin.

But I couldn’t. Instead, my shoulders began to rack as more sobs came. I didn’t want to break down, I wanted to be strong, but it was beyond my control. Inside, I felt so much hurt and pain and I wanted to fling myself at the coffin and tell my poppy to come back, to stay with us. I couldn’t bear to lose him and the thought that his body was going to be resting forever in the cold ground was tearing me up.

On my other side, my mom grabbed for my hand and slipped her other arm around my back, trying to help hold me and comfort me through her own excruciating grief and turmoil. I hadn’t wanted her to have to do that; I was supposed to be the one taking care of her, being strong for her. But I was breaking and there was nothing I could do about it.

“Jameson Douglas is not here. The body that lies before us is nothing but the earthly tabernacle, the house in which he lived amongst us. Jameson Douglas is in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ. So we commit this body to the ground and his soul to the Lord.”

As the minister spoke, the mechanism that the coffin was resting on began to come to life and the coffin began lowering, sinking into the grave below it.

“Earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust, knowing full well that Jesus is the resurrection and life,” he continued, pausing a moment to allow Spencer, Lindsay and my mother time to step forward and cast a handful of dirt each down into the grave and upon the shiny surface of the coffin.

“Let us pray.”

And then he fell into a prayer and I gripped Alex tightly, pressing my face into his chest and feeling the hot tears streaming down my cheeks. I was only half aware of the prayer that was offered up about my grandfather and his spirit which was now with the Lord. My heart ached and when I heard the sob from my mother, I pulled away from Alex and turned to her, wrapping her in a hug and crying with her, feeling her grief mixing with mine. And it wasn’t until well after the ‘Amen’ that we finally pulled apart.

People began to make their way over, greeting us and offering more condolences and sympathies, but I had to get away. I couldn’t handle being near that grave, seeing the gaping hole in the earth and knowing it housed what was left of my grandfather. Mumbling incoherently through my tears, I slipped through the crowd and headed for a large oak tree far enough away that I knew I wouldn’t be bothered.

I reached the tree and leaned against the thick trunk, using the tissue that had been bawled up in my hand to wipe at my cheeks.

“Morgan,” Alex’s voice drifted into my ears and I turned, finding him standing a few feet away.

“Hey.”

“Hi.” He was watching me with such a raw look of pain and hurt and I knew it was killing him that he couldn’t take it away from me, soothe me and make me feel better.

I fiddled with the damp Kleenex, turning my back to him. “I didn’t want to fall apart like this,” I managed out in a strained voice.

“I know.” He stepped behind me and slipped his arms around my waist, allowing the weight of my body to lean against him. “But it’s okay that you did.”

“I needed to be strong for them.”

“You can’t be strong all the time, Morgan. You’ve done such a good job the last few days; you’re allowed to fall apart sooner or later.”

“I hate falling apart.”

He brushed his lips along my neck and held me close. “I know you do.”

“I just want this pain to go away,” my voice wavered and I bit my bottom lip hard.

“I know.” He kissed my cheek then slowly turned me to face him, keeping his arms around me. “But you can’t start to heal until you accept and grieve. Pushing it away and not allowing yourself to go through the whole process doesn’t help you to get better. It only denies the inevitable.”

“How come you always know the right things to say?” I slipped my arms around his waist and pressed my face into his chest.

“I don’t.” He hugged me close and secure.

“To me you do.”

I felt his lips graze my cheek then his cheek press against my head. “Good. That means I’m doing something right.”

“I wanna go home,” I suddenly announced, my voice muffled against his dress shirt.

He lifted his head and peered down at me. “Well, let’s go join the others and head on back. I think your aunt said something about one of your neighbors missing the committal ceremony to make sure all the food was set up.”

“No,” I pulled back some and met his gaze, “home to California.”

“I’m not gonna let you run away from this.”

“I’m… I’m not running away, but I have a life I need to get back to. I’ve been gone from my job for nearly two weeks.”

“And you just wanna leave, like that?” He snapped his fingers.

“No,” I shook my head, “I was thinking Friday.”

He watched me a moment. “Okay, alright, that sounds fine. But you still need to accept and come to terms with what’s going on. And you need to let your family see that you’re vulnerable and hurting and that you still need them.”

I looked off to the side, knowing he was right, but hating it just the same. “I… I don’t know how to do that.”

“You grieve with them, Morgan,” he turned my face back to meet his, “not, letting them grieve and being the one to try to hold it together.”

“But someone has to.”

He lifted a brow. “Has to what?”

“Hold everything together.”

“It’s not going to fall apart, baby. Your family has to much love between them to let that happen.” He still held to my chin. “But you will be right back where you were with them if you don’t let your walls down and stop being so stubborn with them. You need them as much as they need you.”

He was right. We would only be thrown back into that same pattern and it would separate us even more. “I…I don’t know what to do.”

He took my hands. “You talk to them, you cry with them, you let them see and share your pain with you. They’re feeling it too. Don’t push them away.”

“I’ll… try.” I need to, I had to, deep down, I wanted to.

“That’s a start.” He kissed my fingers. “Now, c’mon, we don’t want to miss our ride.” Then he led me back towards the diminishing crowd and the limousine that was waiting to carry us to my parent’s house for the funeral dinner.

~*~*~*~*~

“Hey, baby.”

I glanced up from where I sat at the baby grand piano to find my mom in the doorway to the sunroom with a glass of wine in her hands. “Mom, hey.”

“What are you doing in here all alone?” She moved further into the room and over to the piano, smoothing her hand over the smooth wood finish.

“I needed some alone time.” My fingers gently traced over the ivory keys, making sure not to press too hard and cause notes to sound. I was enjoying the quietness. The dinner was nearing its end and people were beginning to take leave and head for their homes, hotels or wherever they found themselves staying. I had tried my best to share my grief with everyone, but it proved difficult. I hadn’t wanted to break down and cry, but I had allowed tears to shine through. I’d shared stories and hugs, held hands and listened when someone spoke about my grandfather or their feelings with his death. It was hard and I was exhausted. I needed some time to recharge, hence how I found myself alone in the sunroom that my dad had built onto the back of the house when I was a teen. I had left Alex with Gina who had been more than happy to entertain him. She was ecstatic at meeting him and being able to sit and converse with him on more than just a fan level. So, I knew he was in good hands, excited and probably very chatty, but good hands.

“Same here.” My mother set her wineglass onto a coaster on the piano then motioned to the bench. “May I join you?”

I slipped to the side to allow her enough room to sit. “Of course.”

She sank down beside me and touched the keys, pressing one of them and allowing a note to slip from the belly of the piano. “I don’t think I’ve played this thing in at least a year.”

“Really?” My mother used to love to play the piano. We would gather ‘round it at holidays, and listen to her as she expertly stroked the keys and beautiful music filled the room. At Christmas we would sing carols.

“I’ve just been so busy with work. You know how that is.”

I gave a little nod and pushed another key, causing another note to sound. “How come you never taught me how to play piano?”

“I didn’t think you were interested. I asked you a few times and you never seemed like you wanted to. I didn’t want to pressure you into it.”

“You taught Grayson.”

“I couldn’t keep him away from this thing. He used to sneak downstairs in the middle of the night to practice.”

I chuckled low. “Like you didn’t hear that.”

“We did, but we never let on. He thought he was so sneaky until I finally told him one day.” She tilted her head at me. “Did you want to learn?”

“Not as a kid,” I met her gaze, “but I might like to now.”

“If you lived closer, baby, I would teach you.” She smoothed her hand to my back. “It might get kind of expensive flying back and forth across the country once a week for lessons.”

“Alex plays the piano; I can ask him to show me. He has this gorgeous, dark black grand piano in his home.”

“There you go.” She smiled and kissed my temple.

I turned and met her gaze. “Do you like him?”

“I think he’s a very nice man and he really cares for you. I can see it in his eyes every time he looks at you.”

I had to smile at that, a slight blush creeping up on my cheeks. “I really care about him, too.”

“I know,” she reached and took my hand in hers, “I see that in your eyes.”

“I love him, Mama.”

“I know you do.” She brushed her fingers over my cheek and tucked some hair behind my ear.

Tears were slowly filling my eyes. “I never-” my voice broke and I waited a moment before trying once more. “I never thought I would find someone again. I thought I was going to be alone the rest of my life.” My teary eyes met hers and I saw the love and hurt she had for me. “I thought that was how it was supposed to be.”

“But it’s not and I’m so glad you’ve finally realized that.”

“I…I don’t want to lose him, Mom.” The tears began to slowly slide down my cheeks and I took a breath, reaching up and wiping them away. “I can’t go through something like that again.”

“Oh, baby,” she wrapped me in a comforting hug, “I don’t want that either. No one deserves that.”

I leaned against her shoulder, feeling my tears wetting her blouse. “It…it makes me wan-want to just run away and…and lock my-myself in a room, alone.”

“Something tells me he’d just break down the door.”

Despite my tears, I gave a laugh and sat up straight again, wiping my eyes and nodding. “Then probably drag me out and handcuff us together so I couldn’t get away again.”

She chuckled at that image. “He seems very serious about you.”

“He is and…and I’m serious about him,” I took some breaths to calm myself down, “which scares the hell out of me. But when he’s around, it’s like everything is okay.”

“That’s how it’s supposed to be.”

I nodded some. “Does daddy like him?”

“He does.” She smiled and smoothed her fingers through my hair. “He’s relieved that you’ve found someone, someone who cares a great deal about you and can take care of you with us being so far away.”

“He tries to do that.” My mind went back to that night he rescued me from the storm after I’d been knocked out by the driftwood.

“Do you let him?”

I tilted my head some then gave a nod. “I do. I want him to take care of me. I want to be with him.”

“What about his career? That sounds like it’s a pretty big thing.”

“Yeah.” I sighed some and began tracing my fingers over the piano keys again. “I…know what he does, but I don’t know much about it. So far, nothing’s hampered us or caused any issues. I don’t really know what all his job entails, but I’m sure I’ll find out soon.”

“Sounds like you need to talk to him about that.” She leaned and got her wineglass then sat right again.

“Yeah,” I nodded in agreement, “I think I do. But it’s not going to change my mind; I want to be with him regardless.”

She sipped her wine then lowered it to her lap. “I think that’s great, Morgan, but you need to be prepared for whatever it is his career, his life entails. Just as he needs to be prepared with yours. I assume he knows about Hugh.”

“Yeah, he does and he’s really helped me work past some things.”

She smiled. “I can tell.”

I blushed a little bit then wet my bottom lip. “I don’t…want to be counting my chicks before they’re hatched, but,” I paused, feeling a pressure in my chest and not wanting to speak it aloud and jinx anything.

“I know, baby,” she reached and patted my knee, “you don’t have to say it.”

I smiled then wrapped her in a hug. “I love you, Mom.”

“I love you too, precious.” She kissed my head and returned the hug.

“What are my two ladies doing in here?” My father questioned as he entered the room.

I sat up right again and looked over towards him. “Hey.”

“Hi, beautiful.” He rounded the piano and moved behind us, giving my shoulder a squeeze then he leaned down and kissed his wife on the cheek. “You two need to escape for a bit?”

“Something like that.” I rose from the bench and smoothed my dress, motioning for him to sit. “But I’m glad you’re here, there’s um…something I want to tell you both.”

My mom’s eyes widened. “You’re pregnant!”

My dad frowned at that. “You’re pregnant?”

I blinked. “What? No,” I quickly shook my head, “no, not at all. It’s something else entirely.”

Both parents relaxed and waited for me to continue.

I reached up and fiddled with some of my hair, feeling a little nervous with what I was about to discuss, but knowing I needed to do it. “Um, I just…I wanted to apologize to both of you for…for everything that I’ve done these last couple years.”

My dad frowned again. “Morgan, you don’t have to apologize.”

“Yes, I do. I…ran away to California and tried to push you both out of my life. I hurt you and caused you pain and grief when I shouldn’t have.”

“Baby, you were hurting, too,” my mom tried to counteract with.

“I know,” I tugged on the ends of my hair, “and instead of reaching out to you, I ran. And I hurt you both and I’m so sorry.” And now I was crying again, dadgummit.

“Morgan, baby, it’s okay.” My mom was on her feet and hugging me to her chest. “We haven’t held it against you. We both love you so much and always will, no matter how hard you try to push us away.”

“Your mother’s right,” my dad’s tone was gentle, “we’re always going to be here for you, no matter what. We’re your parents and that’s our job.”

I looked to him and brushed the tears from my cheeks. “You’re not upset with me?”

“No,” he rose to his feet as well and pulled me into his own hug, “we just love you. You’re our little girl and no matter what road you go down, no matter what happens in your life, we are going to be there for you. Rather you want us to be or not.”

I could feel a lump the size of a golf ball in my throat. “I’ve…I’ve been so horrible.”

“We could have tried harder.” My mom touched my back. “We could have come on out there to California anyway.”

“None of that matters.” My father kissed the top of my head and released me. “It’s all in the past and we have to look forward. What happened happened and there’s nothing we can do about it.”

I sniffed some and gave a nod. “You’re right.” Alex had made me see that very clearly over the last few weeks. I took a little breath then wiped my cheeks again. “Thank you both; I couldn’t have asked for better parents. Through…everything, from when I was little to now, you’ve been so wonderful and understanding. And I’m going to try my hardest to work on our relationship and not push you away.”

“That’s all we ask, baby.” My mom smiled and touched my cheek.

I nodded. “And you’re both going to come out to California. I want you to see my house and the beach and where I work and live …I want you to spend more time with me and Alex.”

“We wouldn’t miss it for the world.” My dad squeezed my shoulder then kissed the top of my head. “As soon as I can talk your mother into taking a vacation, we’ll be there.”

“We’re not traveling there in a Winnebago.”

“Oh, Miriam, why not? Come on now, that’d be the perfect thing to do.”

“Neil! I am not driving across the country with you in an RV. End of discussion.” She shook her head and started from the room, obviously finished with the conversation.

“Miriam, you won’t even hear me out.” My father sighed and started after her.

“There is nothing to hear.”

“Miriam.”

I listened to their voices fade and chuckled low. Those were my parents; always bickering about something or other, but I wouldn’t change it for the world. And after that conversation, I felt tons better and knew things were going to be okay; on all levels. It was time to go back to California. But first, I needed to go rescue my boyfriend from Gina.

Chapter Thirty-Eight by summer
Author's Notes:
Sorry about the delay... I got stuck again lol. Hopefully things are rolling smoothly now. And thank you so much for the wonderful reviews! It really helps a girl out and keeps me going and writing more. Hope you guys have an awesome day and can't wait to read about what you think of this chp. :)

 

Alex and I arrived back in California on Friday. He had left his SUV in the long term parking so he dropped me off at my place and promised to be back over sometime Saturday. He needed to go check on his dogs and get some things in order. I didn’t really want to spend the night alone, but I understood and had my own things to take care of; like collecting Daisy, chatting with Dianna and going through my mail. Work was expecting me back on Monday and I knew I needed to get a hold of Anna sometime over the weekend and catch up on what I had missed.

It was a tearful goodbye with my family. My grandmother had hugged me so tight and for so long I didn’t think she was ever going to let me go. She made me promise to call her and not stay away for that long again and then she said she would be figuring out a time for her to come visit. She reminded Alex of his promise to take her up to wine country and then hugged him then me again. My mom cried, which was expected, and my dad tried to stay strong for everyone. He also said they’d be coming out to see me sooner than later and told me to take care of myself. Thursday morning he’d taken Alex out golfing; the two seemed to be getting along rather well, much to my delight. I did find out later that they’d had some pretty serious conversations about him, me, our relationship and making sure I was being taken care of. It was sweet my dad was still looking out for me, and Alex told me he’d assured my dad that he had only the best of intentions when it came to me.

Grayson and Candace had gone on back to New York the day after the funeral, but they promised to give me a call once they got out to Arizona and settled in their new place. Of course, Grayson wouldn’t be living there too often, but Candace said I was more than welcome to come on out even if he wasn’t there. I figured it’d probably be a little while before I did that. I had just gotten back from being gone two weeks; I probably needed to stick around home for awhile at least.

I had probably only been inside my place not even ten minutes when Dianna showed up.

“Morgan! You’re back!”

I looked over from where I was opening some windows to air the place out to find her letting herself in my back patio door. “Yeah, I just got back.”

“How was your trip?” She had a stack of my mail in her hand and I knew she was probably adding to the mounting pile on my kitchen table.

“Eh.”

“Yeah, well I wasn’t expecting great or fun, considering what you were there for.” She shut the door securely behind her.

I straightened the curtain over the open window then stood right again. “How’s Daisy?”

“She’s doing great.” She smiled then set the mail on the coffee table before crossing the room and enveloping me in a warm hug. “I’ve missed you, girl.”

I chuckled and returned the hug. “I know, I’ve missed you, too.”

“You’ll have to tell me about your trip; how it went with your parents, how things went with Alex.” She pulled back and sent me a knowing smirk.

I felt the blush creeping up over my cheeks. “I knew you’d be dying to know about that.”

“Can you blame me? He showed up here that night with Daisy and I knew the minute I told him and gave him the information he’d be there.” Her eyes searched my face. “He was so concerned for you.”

I blushed more then motioned her to follow and headed down the hall and into the kitchen. “Things are really different now.”

“Oh yeah?” She followed then settled herself at the table while I went about making up some coffee for us both.

I put a new filter into the coffee maker and dumped in the fresh ground coffee beans. “Yeah,” I hesitated then thought to hell with it, “I love him.”

“What?” Her eyes widened.

“Yeah,” I busied myself with adding the water and making sure the pot was in the right position, “I do. He’s really helped me with a lot and he’s just,” I searched for how to describe it, “he’s just what I need.”

“Wow, Morgan, you leave and go home and come back a whole new person.” She offered a pleasant smile. “How does he feel about you?”

I got two mugs and saucers from the cupboard. “He loves me, too. He’s really been through a lot and I think I’m what he needs as well.”

“I am just…wow, speechless.” She laughed some and rubbed her forehead.

I chuckled. “I figured you would be.”

“I am; you were so against dating again and scared to let yourself get attached to someone else, and now…” she trailed off.

“And now, I’m in love with an amazing man and moving on with my life.”

“I am so happy for you, Morgan,” she chuckled, “and relieved. I was worried you were gonna stay sequestered away.”

I gave a little nod and leaned against the counter, waiting for the coffee to brew. “I know you were, and I really appreciate everything you’ve done. Thank you for sending him out to Connecticut.”

“It’s nothing,” she waved a hand to dismiss it, “I thought you both needed to see each other. He was so worried and I knew you needed someone other than your parents or grandmother.”

“Ain’t that the truth.”

Her dark eyes watched me with curiosity and concern. “How are things with your parents?”

“Better.” I met her gaze. “We talked and things are gonna be okay.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, they’re going to be coming out to visit me soon. And my grandmother is coming sometime in the fall. I think everything’s okay now.”

“Oh, Morgan, that’s wonderful.”

“Yeah, it really is.” I smiled then slipped the pot from the coffee maker as it finished brewing.

“Did you get the flowers Manuel and I sent?”

I poured the coffees then set the pot back on the warmer. “We did and they were beautiful. My mom is going to be doing the thank you cards so I’m sure she’ll send you one.”

“Oh, she doesn’t have to do that.”

I set the mugs on the table along with cream and sugar. “I know, but she and Mimi want to.”

“After the coffee you can walk back to my place and collect your dog. She’s gonna be ecstatic to see you.”

I sank down into the chair and took the creamer, adding it to the scalding black liquid. “I can’t wait to see her. I’ve missed her so much. Has she behaved herself?”

“Of course, except that day she disappeared and I about had a heart attack.”

I chuckled low. “Weird how she ended up at Alex’s.”

“She did that on purpose.”

I glanced over to my friend and neighbor and she nodded her head.

“She knew something was going on and she knew the effect he had with you. Dogs have that sense about them.”

I tilted my head and stirred the cream into my coffee. “So, you’re saying that she knew I needed him and sought him out for me?”

“That’s exactly what I’m saying.”

“How would she know I needed him?”

“Dogs have that sense, Morgan. They can tell when something isn’t right. And she knew that Alex was someone that calmed you so she sought him out and brought him over.”

I chuckled low at that thought. “Well, she’s a sneaky little thing, isn’t she?”

Dianna laughed then took a sip of her coffee. “It worked out for the best.”

I gave a little nod and blew gently into the steaming mug. “So, when are you and Manuel getting a dog?”

“We’ve looked at a few places.”

I lifted a brow. “Oh yeah? Are you really going through with it?”

“He wants to. I’m not so keen on the idea, but he’s promised to be the one in charge of its care.”

I chuckled some and watched my friend. “You’re going to fall in love with this dog before you know it and want to help out just as much.”

“Heh,” she rolled her eyes in a playful manner, “I’m going to want to throw him outta the house the minute he gets underfoot. And he better not even get a hold of my shoes.”

“Ooh, he will; at some point of another. They all do.”

“Oh great. What a wonderful thing to look forward to.”

I giggled. “You’re going to love that dog, no matter what they do. Like with kids.”

“I’m going to have a four footed kid, that’s just wonderful.”

“You’re going to love it.”

“No.”

“You are.”

“No.”

“You will.”

“No.”

“Yes.”

“Maybe.”

~*~*~*~*~

Daisy was glad to see me and wouldn’t leave my side for the rest of that night and well into Saturday. When Alex came over, she practically knocked him over trying to say hello. Then she moped around a bit because he hadn’t brought Bernie. Who, by the way, was still recovering nicely from the surgery. The doctors remained hopeful he would beat the cancer, urging Alex to continue with the medicine, special diet and whatever treatments they thought would help. So far, Bernie’s attitude hadn’t changed and on Sunday I took Daisy to his place and the two laid together outside on the patio, basking in the sun and enjoying each other’s company.

Alex spent that afternoon telling me more about his career; showing me awards they’d won, letting me listen to their cd’s and even let me watch a few music videos. Then he told me what touring was like, what a relationship with someone like him was like and he was truthful with how demanding a job he had and how difficult it might be to stay with him. I wasn’t swayed though. After everything he’d done for me, everything he meant to me and how we both needed the other, I wasn’t going anywhere.

I stayed at his place Sunday night, left Daisy with them for the day and was back to work bright and early Monday morning. Everyone greeted me warmly and wished me their condolences. I immediately threw myself back into the work and began scheduling open houses and meetings and working on offers and loans and returning calls that had come in while I was away.

Anna had taken over my client list and three out of the five had made offers and agreed to the sale. Surprisingly, I was still one of the top in the office and nearly in the lead for the Hawaii trip. Thankfully, Anna was the leader and Dixon was nowhere near catching up to us. One less headache I had to worry about.

I worked through lunch, but did take a few minutes to visit with Anna and tell her about my trip home, and Alex. She had been ecstatic for me, claiming she knew I would find someone again and that she couldn’t wait to have us both over for dinner one night. I told her to slow her roll and we would love to come over, but give it a few more weeks. I wanted more time with just us, in our own environment, before we began making it public.

And that’s just what we did. Over the next couple weeks we were together nearly every day. Either he would come over, or I’d go to his place. We’d try to bring the dogs whenever we could and found that Bernie seemed to be acting more like himself the more he was around Daisy. And Alex and I were only falling more in love. We would go to dinner, the movies, the park, one weekend we drove along the coast and spent the day collecting sea shells, having a picnic on a secluded beach and watching the sunset over the ocean. It was crazy how in love with this man I was and my strong desire to have him near me always. If I let myself think about that, it scared me, but thrilled me at the same time.

Part of me was waiting for the other shoe to drop. My life was going too well it seemed. My relationship was Alex was blossoming and continuing to grow daily, I was in touch with my parents every few days and I would call my grandmother two times a week. They seemed to be doing better, each day got a little easier. I had even talked to my brother a couple times; they were getting moved and settled into the new condo and continued to insist I come out and see them shortly.

At work, I was still continuing to do well with selling and buying homes. A few of my satisfied clients recommended me to their friends and soon I found myself in the middle of a hectic month of planning and showing and bartering and inspections, liens, loans and more things that made my head swirl. Unfortunately, Dixon was doing just as well and his name continued to creep up on the board closer to mine. I managed to avoid any face to face conversations with him, however, and just concentrated on my own clients and work, trying to put him to the very far corner of my mind.

The one person that I probably should have been thinking about, I wasn’t. And it smacked me in the face one Wednesday evening upon arriving home from the office.

Andrew Holden was waiting on my porch for me, sitting in one of the wrought iron chairs I had decorated it with. He rose to his feet as I stepped from my car and I felt my tummy pitch. The last couple weeks I had completely forgotten about him and now I was wishing I hadn’t.

“Andrew.” I carefully closed the door to my vehicle, having a brief thought to dive back inside and drive away.

“Hey.” He rose to his feet, his hands shoved into the pockets of his jeans.

“I um, I wasn’t expecting you.”

“I know.” He motioned towards the front door. “Can we talk?”

I didn’t move from my spot. “How long have you been here?”

“Maybe half an hour.” He checked his watch then gave a nod. “Yeah, not long.”

“What…um, what do you want to talk about?”

He gave a heavy sigh and I saw the regret in them. “I owe you an apology.”

Yes, he did, but I didn’t voice it aloud.

He hesitated and then spoke again when I didn’t respond. “I shouldn’t have reacted the way I did. It was uncalled for and I’m not going to try to justify it. I said things and did things that scared you and I haven’t been able to get that out of my head.”

I wet my bottom lip, trying not to let my sympathetic side come through. “You really flew off the handle at me.”

“I know, and I’m so sorry.”

Giving a sigh, I rubbed the back of my neck and finally took a step closer. “I suppose you’re not completely to blame here. I…should have spoken up about Alex well before it came out and I didn’t. So…I’m sorry, too.”

He shrugged a shoulder. “You were just trying to spare my feelings.”

“Yeah, but at what expense? I mean, look what happened. I would never have kept it from you had I known things were going to snowball and end up like they did.”

He shook his head and moved from the porch. “Can we just forget about that? Can we start over? As friends?”

I watched him come closer and took an involuntarily step back. “I…don’t know.”

“Morgan, please,” he stopped when I moved back, “just friends, that’s all.”

“Yeah, we were supposed to be just friends all along and look what happened.”

“Well, I know now. You’re with someone and you’re happy,” he hesitated, “besides, I’ve met someone.”

I blinked. “You have?”

“Yeah, in New York. Her name’s Lana and she’s an architect, like myself.”

“Oh,” I couldn’t help the relived and thankful grin that came over my face, “that’s wonderful, Andrew.”

He smiled too. “Yeah, I really like her. She’s so great and we have a lot in common.” Then his face grew serious again. “I just want to be your friend. I really enjoy spending time with you and I don’t want to lose that.”

I sighed, mulling it over in my head. “I…I don’t know.”

His shoulders slumped some, but he gave a nod. “I understand. I’m sorry again, Morgan. I never meant to hurt you or scare you.”

Part of me wanted to console him and the other half wanted to tell him to get off my property. Instead, I settled for somewhere in the middle. “I’ll think about it, okay? It’s not no, but it’s not yes either.”

“Hey, I’ll take maybe.” He smiled again then moved closer and touched my elbow. “Think it over and give me a call if you want to. No pressure.”

I flinched at his touch, but managed not to pull away. “Yeah, sure.”

“Great.” Then he brushed his lips over my cheek in a friendly gesture and headed for the street where his black Lexus was parked. How had I missed that?

I waited until he was gone before heading up to the porch and getting out my key. Could I maintain a friendship with Andrew? Did I want to? He really had freaked me out and angered me with his behavior back in Connecticut, but I was partially to blame as well. And if we did decide to be friends, there wouldn’t be any more misunderstandings or situations like what had arose. Maybe he’d taken these last few weeks and put it behind him like he wanted me to do. Not to mention, he was seeing someone; Lana whatever her last name was. Obviously that meant he had moved on. If I did decide to be friends with him again maybe we could even double date. Of course, that meant I could never tell Alex what had happened upstairs in that bedroom. So maybe it was time to put the past in the past and move ahead to the future. I was doing that with my family, Hugh, my relationship with Alex. Would it be so hard to do it once more?

Chapter Thirty-Nine by summer
Author's Notes:
Thank you guys for all the wonderful feedback! I tried to get this chp posted as soon as I could... hope you enjoy it! Lemme know how it turned out. :)

 

“What do you think about living together?”

It was two days after my conversation with Andrew and I hadn’t mentioned anything to Alex about it yet. I still hadn’t made up my own mind. Looking up from the paperwork I was doing in regards to one of my clients, I blinked in Alex’s direction. He was lounging on the floor of my living room on his back with his legs stretched out and his head propped on a couch pillow. “What?”

Those soul moving eyes watched me. “Living together.”

My pen was poised over the paper, frozen in its place. “Who?”

“The Pope and the Queen of England.”

I frowned, looking rather confused. “What? Why would they live together?”

He chuckled then pushed himself into a sitting position. “They wouldn’t-”

“Then how come you asked me about it?”

He laughed and joined me on the couch, taking the pen and papers and setting them on the coffee table, then he took my hands in his. “I was actually meaning, me and you.”

My eyes stretched. “Me and you? Us? Us living together? Like…in the same house?”

“Well, unless you know a way two people can live together, but in separate houses?”

I couldn’t decide if he was mocking me or not. “Are you serious?”

“Not really, that was a joke.”

I pulled my hand from his and frowned. “That was a very mean joke.”

“What?” He looked confused. “How was that mean?”

“Joking about us living together is very mean.”

He blinked and then shook his head and gave a laugh. “Ooh no, no, baby, that, I was serious about. I was joking about the whole…living together in separate houses thing.”

“Oh.” A blush spread to my cheeks.

“You are so adorable.” He pulled me into his arms and kissed the blush.

I cleared my throat. “So, you want us to live together?”

“I’ve been thinking about it.” He smoothed his hand along my arm and peered down at my face.

“How um…what…” I wasn’t exactly sure what to think, or say. Living together was a huge step, a huge one and it wasn’t one that should be taken lightly.

Alex brushed some hair from my face. “How um…what, what?”

I sat up straight and turned to face him, tucking my legs underneath me. “That’s…a really big step.”

“I know it is.”

“It’s a really serious step.”

He nodded. “I know that, too.”

“It’s…almost like being married.”

He chuckled and touched my cheek. “Does it freak you out?”

“Do you want to marry me?”

It was his turn to blink and look completely caught off guard. “….What?”

“Living together is almost like being married,” I explained again. “Do you want to marry me?”

He just stared at me. “Are you proposing?”

I jerked a little bit at the question. “What? No…no! I just…I was… well you wanted…no I…” I was tripping over my words.

“Hey, hey, it’s okay.” He reached out and caught my hands, squeezing them and holding them to his chest. “I think we’re both getting confused. How ‘bout we start over?”

I nodded and calmed myself some.

“Alright,” he kissed both my palms, “I have been thinking about, maybe, us moving in together. And,” he quickly continued before I could interject, “I know it’s a serious step, but I’m ready for it. And I’d like to know your thoughts about it.”

I studied him, trying to get my brain to stop moving so fast and slow down so I could think more clearly. “You really want to live with me?”

He gave a nod. “I do. I hate that you leave, or I leave and we don’t spend every night together. Besides,” he shrugged, “lately, we’ve been staying with each other so much anyway.”

“True.” I nodded myself.

“Okay,” he kissed my fingers, “what is it you were trying to say about marriage?”

“Oh.” I pulled my hands from his and fiddled with the hem of my shirt. “Well, living together is so similar in ways to marriage. And…it just made me wonder if you were thinking that we were heading that way.” I hadn’t realized it would make me so nervous to talk about, but inside my chest, my heart was racing. I wanted to get married again and Alex was the only person I wanted to do that with. But I definitely think we needed more time before we even came close to taking that step.

Alex took my hands again and gave them a comforting squeeze. “I definitely want to get married, someday.” He reached up and cupped my cheek. “And you know how I feel about fate bringing us together; you’re the one for me.”

A little grin tugged at my lips. “Whose house would we live in?”

“I’ve been thinking about selling my place for the last year, or so.”

My eyes widened. “You would want to live here? But your place is so big and has so much stuff. This is like…a cottage compared to your house.”

“And one day I can have all that again, but right now I just want you.”

His words made my heart soar and I melted into his embrace. “I just want you, too.”

He kissed my head. “Under one roof?”

“Mmhmm, we could live in a cardboard box and I’d be content.”

“Ooh, I wouldn’t go that far.”

I chuckled. “Okay, not really, but I could make do anywhere as long as you were with me.”

“Look at you being all romantic.”

That made me giggle and I sat up, leaning to his ear and nipping at that spot just below it. “Wanna go upstairs and see just how romantic I can get?”

He shivered at the tone in my voice and smoothed his hands over my thighs. “Mm, hell yeah.”

I smirked then pulled back and rose to my feet. “C’mon, loverboy.” Tugging him up, I started for the stairs.

The sudden sound of the doorbell stopped me and I turned towards the front.

“Who’s that?” Alex questioned, looking towards the entry way as well.

I chuckled. “I don’t know; my x-ray vision isn’t working right at the moment.” Pulling away from him, I started for the door. “Hold on.”

But he followed behind and I reached the front, peeking out to find a delivery man holding a bouquet of orange and yellow roses.

Lifting a brow, I pulled the door open and greeted him, “Yes?”

He was just a kid; couldn’t have been older than nineteen, with sandy blond hair and round green eyes. A spatter of freckles covered his nose and he wore a blue hat with Rose’s Roses embroidered on the front. His matching work shirt said the same and he had worn jeans with a tear at the left knee. “Ms. Weston?” He checked his clipboard to make sure he had the name correct.

I gave a nod, wondering who had sent me flowers and why. “Yes, that’s me.”

“Delivery, these are for you.” Then he was thrusting the clipboard into my hands. “Please sign at the ex.”

I did so and thanked him then took the flowers and stepped back inside; closing the door once the kid had sauntered back towards the delivery van.

“Well, that’s interesting.” Alex was leaning against the wall.

“I know right.” I peered the beautiful arrangement over, taking in the six yellow and six orange roses mixed together to create an eye catching display. “I have no idea who sent them.”

“Is there a card?”

Pushing aside some leaves, I spied one tucked into a plastic pronged holder. “Yeah, lemme set ‘em down.” Then I carried them into the kitchen, Alex following.

Once there, I placed them in the middle of the counter and took out the envelope, untucking the flap and pulling out the card.

I know I already apologized, but nothing says ‘I’m sorry’ better than flowers. Hope you’ll reconsider our friendship. And it was signed, Andrew.

Great, now he was sending me flowers; roses at that. I sighed and tucked the card back into the envelope, looking the display over then meeting Alex’s gaze. He watched me with a curious expression and I know he wanted to ask who they were from, but wasn’t sure if it’d be appropriate. I told him anyway, “They’re from Andrew.”

His brows furrowed. “Andrew? Why is he sending you roses?”

I sighed and sagged against the counter. “To apologize for what happened in Connecticut.”

“He’s got to send you flowers for that?” His frown deepened.

“I guess.” I pushed away from the counter and moved to the cupboard, taking out a glass. “He showed up here Wednesday night apologizing and asking if we could be friends again.”

“And you told him, no.”

“I told him, I’d have to think about it.” I began to fill the glass with ice from the dispenser in the door of the fridge.

Alex was quiet a moment. “I don’t understand. Why, if he’s the one angry at you, is he apologizing and sending flowers? Wouldn’t it make more sense for it to be the other way around?”

Then I remembered I hadn’t told anyone about his unwanted advances and gave an inward groan. “Um…not exactly.”

“Is there something you’re not telling me?”

I turned to face him, forgoing the water and setting the glass on the counter. “Sort of.”

He was watching me with a confused and on guard expression. “What’s that? What’s going on?”

“Um…you know how I told you about how he yelled at me and called you a punk?”

He nodded, but didn’t respond and I continued.

“Well, he also grabbed me,” I wet my bottom lip, “and made some comments about showing me how ‘bad’ he could be.”

Alex’s brows shot so far up his forehead if he’d been a cartoon they would have been in the air. “He what?!”

I winced a little. “Yeah, he was saying stuff about how you seemed like a punk and that he could show me how he could be a bad boy.”

“And he grabbed you?”

I nodded.

“And he would have…” he trailed off.

“He probably would have tried.”

“That son of a bitch!” His fists clenched and his entire body tensed.

I wet my bottom lip. “But nothing happened. I pushed him away and made him leave. And totally forgot about it until he showed up Wednesday.”

Alex rose to his full height. “I’m gonna kill him.”

“Alex!”

His eyes met mine and I saw a flash of anger. “He put his hands on you, Morgan.”

“Well, yeah, but…he apologized. He’s even dating someone new.”

“Who the fuck cares? He touched you and God knows what he might have done.”

“But it didn’t happen. He immediately realized and apologized and I made him leave. And now he’s apologizing again. I think he feels really bad. People make mistakes.”

“Yes,” he nodded his head, “people make mistakes. And one of your mistakes would be to become his friend again.”

It was my turn to frown. “Are you telling me I can’t be his friend?”

He sighed and ran a hand over his face, trying to calm himself down. “No, I’m not trying to tell you what to do. But I don’t trust him one bit. He’s already made advances at you, he’s hit on you numerous times knowing that you didn’t want to be anything but friends with him and he’s grabbed you. Do you not realize how that sounds?”

“No, I do realize.” I rubbed a spot above my right eye that was beginning to throb. “That’s why I told him, I didn’t know if we could be friends again.”

“And I don’t think you should be. That’s setting yourself up for something potentially dangerous.”

He was right; Andrew had already scared me bad enough that I had never wanted to talk to him again. And now, just because he was apologizing and dating someone else, I thought it might be okay? Had I lost it? “Gah, you’re right.” I raked my fingers through my hair then tucked it behind my ears. “I don’t want to be friends with him again.”

“I think that’s a very smart decision.” His eyes drifted to the flowers then back to me.

“Yeah.” I looked at them also. “So, what do I do with those?”

“Allow me.” He grabbed them up then headed for the back door.

I followed and stopped in the doorway as he strolled outside and across the yard to the beach. He stopped at the top of the stairs then, with all his might, drew back and hurled the entire arrangement, vase and all, over the side and down onto the beach.

When he got back inside and closed the door, I was giggling.

“What?”

“You are so cute.” I took his face in mine and pulled his head down, kissing his mouth gently.

He chuckled against my lips and wrapped an arm around my waist, drawing my body to his, nibbling at my lower lip.

We kissed for a few minutes and then I pulled back as a thought entered my head. “What if someone hurts themselves on the glass from that vase?”

“What?” He looked like that had been the last thing on his mind.

I chuckled and kissed his cheek. “I’m sorry, but I just realized that the vase is probably broken and glass is scattered all over that beach. Someone might hurt themselves, or the dogs may get into it.”

“Shit.”

I chuckled and smoothed my hand on his chest. “It was a very valiant effort.”

“But we should clean the glass up.” He looked towards the backyard. “I don’t want a lawsuit, or someone to hurt themselves.”

“Me either.” I pulled from his grasp completely. “Okay, lemme get a trash bag and some shoes on and we can go do that.”

“I’m sorry, baby.”

I shook my head and caught his hand, giving it a squeeze. “Hey, it’s no problem. I really appreciated it. And it was so cute seeing you all chivalrous and protective.”

“Cute?” He got a little half grin. “I’d prefer sexy, strong or hot to cute.”

I giggled and headed off to towards the kitchen. “Nope, you were cute.”

~*~*~*~*~

On Saturday, I sent Andrew a text telling him I thought it’d be best if we didn’t become friends again, then I wished him luck with everything and left my house with Daisy to go meet Alex at the park. We played Frisbee and catch with the dogs, strolled along the lake, fed the ducks, chased the dogs who were chasing the ducks, then finally collapsed, exhausted, on the grass.

Glancing over to my left, I saw Ozzy chasing a butterfly, Daisy sniffing at some flowers and Bernie trying to get her attention. “Good Lord, do they ever tire out?”

Alex chuckled and rubbed his eyes. “No, they just tire us out.”

I laughed at that and had to nod in agreement. “I think they’re doing it on purpose.”

“You think so?” He turned his head in my direction.

“Ooh, totally. They think if they wear us out…we’ll be too tired to keep up on them and they can go cavorting off to their heart’s content.”

He laughed. “Maybe so.”

“I’m totally right.”

He chuckled then pulled himself into a seating position. “Well, I think it’s working. When we get back to your place all I want to do is shower then lie in bed naked with you.” A beat. “Okay, that might not be all I want to do.”

I giggled. “You are a dirty boy.”

“Whom you love very much.”

“Very true.” I sat up as well and smoothed a hand over his cheek. “And I think showering and lying in bed sound like marvelous ideas.”

“Naked.”

“Hm?”

“Lie together in bed, naked.”

I pushed myself to my feet and gathered my dog’s leash from where I had tied it around a tree stump. “What are we waiting for? Let’s go. That shower sounds so good right now”

He laughed then gathered his own dogs’ leashes. “Is that the only thing?”

I couldn’t help the giggle, casting him a teasing sideways glance. “Maybe.”

“Maybe.” He reached over and pinched my butt. “You little tease.”

“You love it.” Then I smirked and slipped my arm around his and, together, we headed for the parking lot.

Chapter Forty by summer
Author's Notes:
Just wanted to say how wonderful I think you readers are. Thanks so much for continuing with this fic and leaving your thoughts for me. I got some awesome ideas coming up so I hope you'll stay tuned. And as always, let me know whatcha think!

 

On Monday, after work, I stopped by the store. I hadn’t done any major grocery shopping since returning from Connecticut and figured it was about time I did. So there I was at seven at night in the middle of Kroger, filling my cart and trying to decide if I really needed the Oreo cookies. My thoughts weren’t too much on the cookies as they were on Alex’s suggestion to live together. I had been thinking about it all weekend and well into today. Even now, as I stared down at the package of Oreo’s and debated on rather I wanted to put them in my cart or not.

Alex wanted to move into my place. He was willing to sell his beautiful house and live in a modest, beachside, four bedroom-three bathroom home. My house wasn’t a shoebox by any means, but compared to his home, it was tiny. He had a game room, a theater, a closet bigger than my bathroom. And all I had to offer was a bedroom I could turn into an office for him. And then there was the question with all his belongings. There was no way they’d fit into my place. And did he want me to go through and get rid of my things to make room for his? Or were we going to just go out and buy all new things? That could get expensive and the furniture I’d adorned my place with was relatively new anyway. Give or take the few things I’d brought with me from back home.

I seriously needed to discuss all this with him before it made my head hurt more than it already was. Things could quickly become complicated and that is the last thing I wanted our relationship to be. It was so easy and carefree and I didn’t want there to be any pressure or expectations or issues. I just wanted us to continue on like we were.

“I know who you are.”

The voice jerked me from my deep thoughts and I turned, finding a young woman leaning casually against the freezer that housed the ice cream. She wore a pair of jean shorts and a coral colored tank, her dark blonde hair pulled back in a simple twist. It was her piercing green eyes though that sent a chill down my spine. They looked so cold and there was something about them that made me uncomfortable.

“Um, excuse me?”

“Yeah,” she stood right and popped the piece of gum in her mouth, her thumbs hooked into the pockets of her shorts, “I know who you are.”

I was bewildered and apparently it showed on my face, for she spoke again.

“I’ve seen your picture.”

Oh! From my fliers from the real estate agency. Okay, things were making sense again. “Oh yeah,” I offered a smile, “from my pamphlets.”

“No. It was online.”

“Oh, then you’ve been to our website.”

One lone brow rose. “You have a website?”

I blinked, confused again. “Um, well it’s not my website, but it’s the company I work for.”

“Heh, what’s that? A porn star?”

I blinked again, this time quite taken back. “Excuse me?”

“Yeah, that’s the type he dates.”

I frowned and set the Oreos back on the shelf, taking hold of my cart. Time to move on. “I think you have me confused with someone else.”

“Nope, you’re definitely the chick from the photos.”

I rolled my eyes and looked at her again. “And just what photos are these?”

“The ones on Just Jared.”

“Just Jared?” What the heck was Just Jared? A dating site? Yeah, she definitely had me confused with someone else.

“Uh, yeah; that celebrity gossip site.” She sounded annoyed I didn’t know what she was talking about.

I didn’t know why I was even bothering with this conversation anymore. “Yeah, okay,” I called back to her as I continued down the aisle and on my way.

“Yeah, you’re just like the women he dates; total bitches.”

I slowed to a stop then whirled back around to face her. She was the total bitch here, not me. “I have no idea what the hell you’re talking about. I’m not a celebrity and I wouldn’t be on some gossip site,” I hissed at her, anger starting to boil in my veins.

“No, but you’re dating one.” She remained cool and unaffected and I wondered why she was trying to get under my skin to begin with.

My brows drew together and then I realized what was going on. She was referring to Alex. Though, how she knew we were together was beyond me, I had never seen this girl before in my life. “I don’t even know you. Who I date is none of your business.”

“Then it really is you.” Her lips curled up in a slight smirk. “You really ought to start being nicer to AJ’s fans. That’s how you get a bad rap. And his fans are the last people you want to be pissing off and you want to have hate you.” Then she cracked her gum again and strode off in the opposite direction.

I watched her go, feeling rather baffled. Okay, what had just happened here? I had no idea who that girl was or what she was even talking about. She had claimed to see pictures of me with Alex, so that automatically told her we were dating. What kind of pictures? I hadn’t put anything of us together online, so who would have? Surely, Alex wouldn’t do that. And we hadn’t hung out with anyone else for them to get any pictures and post them. What was she talking about?

I really didn’t know what to make of the situation. And as I pushed my cart down past the crackers and soup cans, I tried to put the conversation out of my mind and then remember to bring it up to Alex later. Maybe he’d have a better idea.

About fifteen minutes later, I was finally leaving Kroger. Luckily, I hadn’t had another run-in with that girl and the rest of my shopping experience had gone smoothly. It wasn’t until I had reached my Saturn Aura that I realized something about it didn’t seem right. I couldn’t put my finger on it, but something was different. Leaving my cart of groceries by the trunk, I circled around to the front, looking the vehicle over. It was my second trip ‘round the car when I noticed it; the tires on the left side. They had been slashed three or four times each and were completely flat.

At first, I wasn’t sure if I was even seeing correctly. Maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me, the sun was setting and it was growing dusk. But I knew I wasn’t making things up when I felt the deep slashes in each tire. Someone had definitely sliced them. Pulling back from my car, I glanced around and dug around in my purse for my phone. Why would someone do this? Who would do this? I was half alarmed and half irritated and it showed when I dialed the police to report the vandalism. They said they would send an officer over and then I called Alex.

He arrived five minutes after the police. Officer Shelton was still acquiring as to my whereabouts and jotting down notes in his little notepad. His partner, Officer Donnell, was inspecting the tires, reporting that, yes, they had indeed been slashed. It was on the tip of my tongue to tell the young, arrogant cop that I already knew that hence, why I had called them in the first place. My nerves were one edge; I was irritated and frustrated, worried and a bit alarmed at what had happened and of course, I would have been sent the police officers that didn’t seem to care one way or another, what was happening here.

Upon seeing Alex, I relaxed some. Just his presence calmed me and I took his hand, relaying the evening’s events once more for him and the officer’s sake.

“Have you checked the video surveillance of the parking lot?” He questioned Officer Shelton, once I had finished with my tale.

The officer, a young man who couldn’t be older than 24; with piercing blue eyes and blond hair with a tint of red, tapped his pencil against the notepad. “We don’t know if it’s that serious.”

I blinked, but before I could open my mouth, Alex was speaking.

“Not that serious? Someone slashed her tires, how is that not that serious?” A deep frown was etched on his face.

“It was probably just some kids.”

“Then I suggest you go into the store, get that video tape and figure out just what kids it was.”

“Sir,” the very inexperienced cop held up a hand, “you need to just calm down.”

“Oh, I am very calm,” the tone in his voice was enough to make a chill run down my spine and he was on my side. “But if you don’t do your job correctly, I will not only be calling your superior, but also my lawyers.”

“Now, there’s no need-” he began to explain, but Alex interrupted him.

“Last time I checked, vandalism was still a crime. Do you need to look it up in your little officer handbook again, or am I going to call somebody?”

Officer Shelton glared at Alex, but didn’t respond. Instead, he turned and strode over to Officer Donnell and the two spoke in hushed voices.

“They’re morons,” I muttered under my breath to my boyfriend.

He snorted and slipped his arm around my waist, pulling me against his side. “Are you okay?”

“No,” I frowned and glared at my car, “someone slashed my tires. Who would do something like that?”

“I don’t know, baby.” He gave a sigh and pressed a kiss to my head. “But we’ll figure it out. I bet it’s all on the tape.”

“Hopefully.” I watched the two cops, seeing as Officer Donnell took out a camera and began to take photos of the vehicle and tires. Looked like they were finally beginning to do their job correctly.

A few moments later, Officer Shelton ambled back over, reporting that he was going to go inside and speak with the manager, see if he couldn’t get a hold of the video tape and find out just who it was that had vandalized my car. He informed us it might be awhile and even if they saw the crime on the tape, it might be awhile before they could even figure out who it was. He said there wasn’t anything else we could do tonight and suggested I have someone come tow my car to a garage.

Alex got the officer’s information and case number and I called Triple A. They arrived 45 minutes later and towed my Aura to a garage not too far from my home. Then Alex took me back to my place and we put away the groceries. The cold items that had spoiled during the two plus hours we’d been outside were exchanged for fresh ones and soon everything was put away and we were lounging on the couch in the family room.

“How am I supposed to get to work tomorrow?” I was nestled against his side with my feet propped up on the coffee table.

“You can take my Cayenne.”

My brows lifted. “You trust me to drive it? What if something happened?”

He shrugged and smoothed his hand along my side. “It’s insured.”

I tilted my head and weighed my options. “Alright, but if something happens, you can’t get mad.”

“Why would I get mad?” He chuckled and shifted my body till our eyes met.

“What if someone slashes your tires, too?”

“Do you really think they will? That bitch cop was probably right; it probably was some punk kids messing around.”

I gave a little sigh. “Yeah, you’re right. And you really don’t mind me driving your Porsche?”

He chuckled and kissed my forehead. “Not one bit.”

I had to smile at that. He really was a dream come true. “Thank you, you’re the best.”

“I know.” A teasing smirk tugged at his lips.

I gave a little sigh and rested my head against his chest, smoothing my fingers over his shirt. Suddenly, I remembered my run-in with the chick in the grocery store. “So, before I left Kroger and found my tires slashed, I had a weird thing happen.”

He tilted his head to look down at me. “What’s that?”

I sat up some, slipping a leg over his and meeting those expressive and soul stirring eyes. “This girl recognized me from some pictures that are online, I guess. Said she was a fan of yours.”

His body stiffened a little. “What did she say?”

Not really sure if I wanted to, but thinking it was probably best, I relayed what had transpired in the cookie aisle between the girl and myself.

“I’m sorry, baby,” Alex said after I had finished. He reached and smoothed his hand along my cheek. “Sometimes, my fans can be down right mean and horrible. They’ve never really cared for my girlfriends and I’m partially to blame for that because I chose the wrong people.” His thumb brushed under my eye. “But you’re different. And they’ll come to realize that.”

I kissed his palm. “I’m not worried. I don’t care if they think I’m Mother Teresa or Bloody Mary. But who would have taken a picture of us and where at?”

“It was probably the paparazzi and anywhere we go. They’re all over LA and sometimes you don’t even know they’re getting shots.”

“That’s weird and kind of creepy.”

“Yeah,” he chuckled, “but I’m so used to it that it doesn’t even faze me anymore.”

“I hope it won’t bother me.”

He tightened his arms around me. “And I’m sorry your first fan experience had to be a negative one.”

I shook my head. “Don’t even apologize; it’s not your fault. I’m not worried about what your fans think of me.”

“They can get pretty vicious.”

I sent him a teasing grin. “So can I.”

He chuckled. “Seriously though, I’ve had a few of my relationships deteriorate because of my fans.”

That surprised me. “Why’s that?”

He sighed and shifted some on the couch, sinking more into the back of it. “Because, they let what the fans think affect things. They got too involved in wanting to know what was said or who thought what,” his eyes watched me, “they bridged that gap between the fans and myself.”

“Oh.” I watched him a moment. “Why would they even care?”

“Because,” his head tilted to the side, “they didn’t have the best of intentions with our relationship. A few of them thought they would get more than they did out of it.”

“Like what? Marriage? Kids?”

“Like fame.”

“Oh.”

He chuckled and kissed my cheek. “But that’s all in the past. You just have to make sure you don’t let yourself get involved in what the fans think.”

I made a little face. “That won’t be too hard for me. I have no intentions of scouring websites or looking up things online.”

“And if you do happen to have any more run-ins that aren’t pleasant, just lemme know. I appreciate that you told me about this one.”

I smiled and kissed his cheek then his lips. “Of course I’d tell you. I think it’s really important to keep the lines of communication open.”

“I do too.” He smiled and covered my hand with his, giving it a warm squeeze.

“Speaking of lines of communication.” I pulled back and sat Indian style on the couch, facing him.

“Uh oh, what?”

I chuckled low at the alarm in his voice. “Nothing, bad. I just think we need to talk about this whole…living together thing a bit more, that’s all.”

He frowned in a concerned way. “Are you changing your mind?”

“No, not at all.” I reached for his hand, taking it with both of mine and holding it in my lap. “I just think there are some things we need to talk about. Like.. if you’re really sure you want to live here at my place, or what are we going to do with all our things? You have more stuff than I have room for …and what about my own things? Are you going to want to combine stuff? Or bring your stuff in here? Get rid of mine? Are we buying new things?”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa…” He laughed and held a finger to my mouth in that shh motion. “Calm down, baby, it’s okay. I can see your head is going a mile a minute, isn’t it?”

I felt the blush creep over my cheeks. “Well, it’s a lot to think about.”

“Yeah, it can be.”

“Yeah, I nodded, “so we need to talk about it.”

Alex laughed low and sat up straight. “Alright, let’s talk about it.”

“Okay,” I gathered my thoughts, “do you really want to sell your house?”

“Would you rather move in there with me?”

My eyes roamed around my place; I hadn’t even been there two years, I didn’t have any particular attachments to it. Except for the amazing view of the ocean out my bedroom window, and the balcony attached. Finally, meeting his gaze again, I gave a little sigh. “I don’t know.”

“Morgan,” he cupped my cheek with his hand, “do you want us to live together?”

“It’s just…it’s a lot of decisions. And someone is gonna have to move, and then what about all our stuff? We can’t keep it all; someone is going to have to get rid of quite a lot.”

He watched me, smoothing his thumb on my soft skin. “I’m sure we would get it figured out.”

“And then what happens if we do all that? I sell my place, or you sell yours … we get rid of half our stuff … we buy new things together, and then…then something happens and we break up.”

“Why would we break up?”

I gave a sigh and rubbed my forehead. “I don’t know. Maybe…maybe I’m just not ready for that step yet.” I lowered my hand and met his eyes, realizing my hesitations came from not being to that point with him yet. “I’m sorry.”

“Hey, it’s no problem.” He shook his head some and pulled me against his chest. “It’s a big step and you’re still working on being in a relationship after Hugh. I should have waited a bit longer before bringing it up. I’m the one that should be apologizing.”

“No, you didn’t do anything wrong.”

“Neither did you.” He kissed the top of my head.

I peered up to him. “You’re not upset with me?”

“No, Morgan,” he touched my shoulder, “we’ll get there. And when we do, all those worries you had won’t even matter. When it’s right and when it’s time, you’ll know.”

I smiled and kissed his chin then his cheeks and finally his mouth. “You’re so wonderful.”

“Oh, I know, but I’m glad you notice it.”

That made me giggle and I snuggled close. I was about to ask if he wanted to stay the night here or at his place, when my phone gave a shrill ring. I sat up and grabbed it from the end table, listening as Officer Shelton proceeded to inform me that the grocery store only had one working video camera and it just so happened that I had not parked on that side of the lot. So they had nothing. Of course, he did say they had questioned some of the Kroger employees and spoke with the manager, but so far, there were no leads. He did tell me that they weren’t going to close the file quite yet, and if anything else came up, or I remembered something, to let him know right away. Then after wishing me a good night, he hung up.

I replaced the receiver with a frown.

“Well, that didn’t sound like it went well.”

I looked toward my boyfriend and shook my head. “No, the store only had one working video camera and it was on the opposite side of where I parked.”

“Damn, I’m sorry, baby.” He frowned and smoothed his hand over my back.

“Yeah, and no one saw anything, so the cops have no leads.”

He pulled me back into his embrace and hugged me close. “Well, maybe someone will remember something or the perp will strike again and this time, they’ll catch him.”

“Yeah right. I’m just gonna have to chalk this up to one very expensive lesson learned. Those new tires are probably going to cost me about 600 dollars.”

“Your insurance should cover it though, right?”

“Yeah, but it’s not really worth adding it to my record when my deductible is 500 bucks.”

“Ouch.”

“Tell me about it.”

He sighed and smoothed his hand over my head, brushing some hair from my face. “How ‘bout you and Daisy come stay at my place tonight. And tomorrow, you can take my Cayenne to work. In fact, you can drive it as long as you need to.”

“What are you going to drive?”

“I have my Cayman.”

“Oh right.”

“But c’mon,” he patted my thigh, “do you need to pack a bag? You still have some stuff at my place.”

“Yeah, I suppose I should.” I disentangled myself from him and rose from the couch, tugging my shirt down around my midriff. “Will you get some of Daisy’s food into some containers and gather her toys? I think they’re in the kitchen.”

He stood as well. “Anything for you, babe.” Then he kissed my forehead and strolled from the room.

Chapter Forty-One by summer
Author's Notes:
You guys are so great to keep up with the reviews and reading the chapters. Just wanted to thank you all again! Hope you enjoy this one! :)

 

“Alright, Anna, I’ll see you later.” I snapped my messenger bag shut and lifted it to my shoulder.

My friend looked up from the file she was going over. “Hey, what are you doing this weekend? We should get together.”

I stuck a pen into the holder on my desk. “Maybe we could double date.”

Her brows rose. “You mean, I get to meet Alex?”

I chuckled low. “Yeah, I think it’s about time I let him into all aspects of my life.”

“You’re pretty serious about him, huh?”

“Yeah,” his face flashed through my mind and I had to smile, “I am.”

Her own smile told me how proud she was that I was moving on. “Good, then we’ll definitely double date. I’ll find out what Greg wants to do and call you.”

“Sounds good.” I gave a little nod then glanced around the, now empty, office. “Don’t stay too late, kay?”

“I won’t,” she shook her head and turned back to her file, “Abigail’s with my mom so I need to get her by eight.” She glanced to me again. “Be careful, yourself.”

“Always.” Then I turned and strode for the door, stepping out into the balmy evening air and digging for the keys from my bag.

It was Tuesday evening and I had been caught up in some paperwork and ended up staying a couple hours past what I had intended. It hadn’t been so bad though because Anna had hung around as well. She had a few offers she was still waiting to hear back on and I had a feeling she probably wouldn’t be out of the place until at least nine. It was nearly seven-thirty now and I knew there was no way she’d be finished up and out of there in the next twenty minutes. I, myself, was supposed to be heading over to Alex’s. I had called him earlier and told him I was going to be late, but I’d try to be there before dark. And judging by the dusk growing in the air, that didn’t give me long.

I had just stepped into the parking lot and located the keys to Alex’s Cayenne, when a figure appearing to my left caused me to jerk and drop the keyring.

Andrew was within three feet of me, leaning against a post with his hands shoved casually into his pockets. He stood right when our eyes met and uncrossed his long legs.

“Shit.” I held a hand to my chest then scooped and grabbed up the fallen keys. “You scared the crap outta me.”

“Sorry,” he apologized, his piercing eyes raking me over.

I closed the flap on my bag again and watched him, a sudden uneasy feeling appearing in my stomach. “What are you doing here?”

“I wanted to talk.”

I made sure to keep my distance. “And you couldn’t call me?”

He shrugged. “I wasn’t sure you’d answer your phone.”

He had a point. Giving a sigh, I fiddled with the keys in my hand. “What do you want to talk about?”

“The text you sent me on Saturday.”

“What about it?”

“Morgan, I apologized. Did you get my flowers? I sent flowers. What more do you want?”

I sighed and glanced around then back to him. “Andrew, I just don’t think after what happened we’re going to be able to keep a level of friendship.”

He frowned. “Why not? I told you I was seeing someone else.”

“It isn’t even about that.”

“Then what is it?” He took a step forward and involuntarily, I took one back.

“Your behavior. I understand you were angry and upset…embarrassed even, but what you said and what you did…” I trailed off and ran a hand through my hair.

“Morgan, I’ve apologized for that.” He took another step closer. “What more do you want? I made a mistake and I apologized. I really am sorry I reacted the way I did.”

“Why does it matter so much to you that we remain friends? We haven’t even known each other all that long.”

He sighed and his eyes darted to the left before resting on me again. “Because I like you. You’re a really sweet and caring person and I want you in my life; even as just friends.”

“Andrew, I just…I don’t think it’s a good idea.”

“Why not?” He frowned and suddenly moved to me, forcing me to step back and bump into the side of Alex’s SUV.

I frowned; trying not to let the bit of fear that was creeping into my chest, show through. “Because it just isn’t.”

“Unfortunately, that isn’t good enough.” His clear blue eyes darkened and he grabbed my upper arm tightly. “I apologized, I sent you flowers and you tell me over a goddamn text that we can’t be friends!?”

“Andrew!” I winced some as his fingers dug into my flesh. “Let go! This is why I don’t want to be friends with you!” I tried to shove him with my other arm, but he pressed his body against mine, holding me in place.

“I’ve been nothing but a wonderful friend to you and this is how you repay me?” He ignored my pleas, his free hand grabbing at my side.

Inside my chest, my heart was hammering loudly, echoing in my ears and I found myself struggling vainly against him. “Get away from me!”

“I don’t think I will,” he growled out, pressing his full body against mine and trying to tug the buttons on my blouse open. “I think it’s time I taught you a lesson.”

Hot tears were beginning to sting my eyes and I twisted, trying to turn and escape his assault. “Please don’t….”

He laughed roughly and yanked the blouse from where it was tucked into my dress pants. “I like a woman that begs.”

“No…” I stammered out. I could feel his large hands ripping my blouse open to reveal the white camisole underneath, buttons flying in all directions. Thinking about what he was trying to do made me want to retch and my stomach began to heave.

“Yes.” He tugged on the camisole.

“Get the fuck off her, man!”

The voice came from behind him and he jerked, keeping his body against mine and turning towards the newcomer.

Dixon Giles stood there, dressed in a pair of black slacks and a white polo, an angry expression set hard on his features.

I had to admit that I had never been gladder to see Dixon, of all people, than I was at that moment. Relief flooded through me and the tears began sliding down my cheeks. “Dixon…”

Andrew’s own features were cold and angry. “Who the fuck are you? This is none of your concern.”

Dixon’s gaze never wavered. “I think it is.” Then he nodded his head towards me, his eyes locked on Andrew’s. “Now, let her go.”

“You gonna make me?” Andrew sneered at him.

Dixon wasn’t small by any means, but Andrew outweighed him easily. But instead of landing a blow, he simply pulled out his blackberry. “I may not be able to, but the police sure as hell can.”

Andrew gave a growl at that and released me, but not before shoving me hard against the SUV. Immediately, my legs gave way and I sank to the ground.

“This isn’t over!” He glared at me before crossing the parking lot, climbing into his vehicle and peeling away.

Dixon was at my side in an instant. “Are you alright?”

I took a breath and wiped at my cheeks, then tugged my shirt down and fingered the ruined blouse. “Th…thank you.”

“Hey,” he touched my arm gently, “I may be a sleaze, but even I wouldn’t assault someone. You want me to call the cops? You probably should.”

“No.” I shook my head, trying to calm myself down. I needed to think is what I needed to do, but all that was running through my head was Andrew’s angry face and the way he had grabbed me and tore at my clothes.

“Morgan?! Oh my God, what happened, are you okay?” Anna was suddenly at my other side, kneeling beside me on the pavement. She frowned over at Dixon. “What did you do to her? Get away!”

Dixon blinked and sat back, holding his hands up in an innocent gesture. “I didn’t do anything.”

She frowned hard at him. “You really expect me to believe that? Look at her!”

“No,” I shook my head and pushed some hair behind my ears, “Dixon’s telling the truth. It was Andrew. Dixon saved me.”

Anna blinked a little as it registered and then Dixon began relaying the tale. He had been on his way to pick up some files that he’d forgotten earlier when he’d come across the scene in the parking lot. And though I still didn’t really care for him, I was grateful he had stepped in. Maybe he wasn’t such a bad guy after all.

“Oh geeze, holy hell.” She sighed and touched my cheek. “Are you okay? We need to call the cops.”

“No, no cops.”

“Morgan,-”

“No,” I interrupted her, “I just want to go see Alex.”

She sighed and looked to Dixon then back to myself. “Alright, but that’s against my better judgment.”

“Thank you.” Carefully, I stood up and tried to straighten out my clothing.

Dixon rose as well and handed me my fallen bag. “If you change your mind, let them come talk to me, I can back your story up.”

I nodded and thanked him then turned to Anna. “Will you drive me home?”

“Of course, honey.” She dug her keys from her purse and nodded towards her Corolla. “I’m over here.”

We bid Dixon goodbye then turned and strolled over to her car.

“Are you sure you don’t want to call the police?” She questioned me as we were pulling away from the office.

“I just want to see Alex.”

“He’s going to want you to call the cops.”

She was right. I knew I needed to, but at the moment I just wanted to be with my boyfriend. “Okay, when we get to his place, I’ll call them.”

“Thank you.” She reached over and gave my arm a squeeze.

I gave a nod and turned my attention out the side window, watching the city pass us by and trying to get Andrew’s face out of my mind.

~*~*~*~*~

Thirty minutes later, we were in Alex’s living room and I was relaying my harrowing tale. Alex had immediately been concerned when I’d shown up looking upset and disheveled, but now he just looked royally pissed, furious even.

“I’m gonna kill him!” He roared, pacing back and forth in front of the couch, his hands clenched into tight fists.

“Alex…” I wasn’t really sure what to say.

Anna, on the other hand, was calm and collected. “Morgan wants to call the police.”

“You’re damn right we’re calling the police.” He stopped his pacing and yanked the phone from the table nearby, angrily punching in the appropriate numbers.

Anna and I shared a glance as he spoke with the dispatcher.

“And they better not send those two assholes that they sent the other day!” He exclaimed after hanging up and resuming his pacing. Then he blinked and ran a hand over his face, turning towards my friend, and coworker. “I’m sorry; I’m just really upset at the moment.”

“Hey, that’s alright, I totally get that. You don’t have to apologize to me.”

He gave a nod then turned his attention back to me. “Why didn’t you call the police right away?”

“I… I just wanted to get to you.”

“Morgan,” he sighed and raked his fingers through his hair then sank down in front of me, “are you sure you’re alright? Did he hurt you?”

I touched the spot on my arm he had grabbed tightly. “Just right here, when he grabbed me.”

Alex shook his head and smoothed his hand along my cheek. “I’m sorry, baby.” Then his teeth gritted. “That bastard.”

I took his hand with mine and kissed his fingers. “I’m okay. Dixon stopped him and ran him off.”

“I know, but he’s still….” he trailed off and just shook his head.

Anna watched between us. “Well, after this, I’d say it would be enough for a restraining order. And I think you should definitely get one of those.”

“Oh, you bet she will be.”

I made a face and sank back into the couch. “Why did this have to happen? That’s gonna be such a headache, and he’s gonna be pissed.”

“Who cares,” Alex shrugged, “hopefully he’ll be sitting in jail pissed, but even if he’s not, who cares.”

“I know, I just don’t want to cause trouble.”

“Oh, honey,” Anna spoke up from her spot next to me, “he’s the one that started trouble, not you.”

“She’s right,” my boyfriend agreed.

I looked between them both. “I know…I just don’t get how he went from being such a nice, civilized man to this…crazy barbarian.”

“Sometimes, it just takes one thing to send someone off their rocker.”

Alex nodded. “And some people can disguise it really well.”

“Yeah,” I sighed out, blowing a puff of air from between my lips.

“I bet he was the one who slashed your tires.”

I blinked and looked over to my boyfriend. “You think so?”

“Well, it’s weird how you send that text then your tires get slashed and he assaults you.”

That was a good point. “Maybe. He’d probably never admit it though.”

“Probably not.”

Just then I looked over to my friend. “The cops are going to want to talk to Dixon. Do you have his number?”

“Um,” her brow furrowed in thinking mode, “I think I have it in my briefcase. If not, we can call Zoe and get it from her.” She rose from the couch. “It’s in my car, I’ll go check.”

I watched her go then turned back to Alex. “I really don’t like him, but at the same time I feel sort of sorry for him.”

“That’s just the way you are.” He shifted up next to me on the couch and smoothed his hand on my back. “You have empathy for everyone; good or bad.”

“Yeah, and look at the trouble it got me in.”

“Hey,” he tipped my chin to meet his gaze, “this isn’t your fault. You didn’t force Andrew to put his hands on you, or get upset because you didn’t want to be his friend. He made his own decisions.”

“I know, but I probably could have gone about all this in a different way.”

“I dunno, I think he still would have snapped.”

I shrugged a shoulder and looked towards the front as the sound of the doorbell resonated throughout his expansive house. “That’s probably the cops.”

“That would be my guess. C’mon.” He rose from the couch and took my hand, pulling me up also and leading us to the front door.

Thankfully, it wasn’t the same two officers and these ones actually did their job correctly. They took my statement, asked if I wanted to press charges. I told them no, but that this was the second time he had shown up uninvited. Alex wasn’t too happy about the charges decision, but did say he wanted a restraining order, which of course would mean talking with a judge. He was going to call his lawyer tomorrow. The officers spoke with Anna, did indeed want to talk to Dixon and then finally left to go do that and follow up with Andrew. They said they would be in touch to let us know what happened and told us to call if anything else occurred.

To pass the time until the police called back about Andrew, we made dinner and then watched a movie. It was close to midnight when they finally got back in touch and said that they’d waited a few hours at his home, but no one had shown up. We were told not to worry and that they would be looking for him at his office tomorrow and then again at his place later in the day. I reminded them about New York and they said they would follow up on that also. Then they asked if we wished to have a cruiser stationed outside in case he decided to show up sometime during the night.

Alex informed me that I wasn’t going home to stay by myself and turned the offer down, letting the officer know that he had a top of the line security system and he didn’t think Andrew knew where he lived, let alone knew who he was. They warned us to be careful and immediately call if he showed up or contacted us. Then I called Dianna and told her the story. She, of course, wanted to go find Andrew and have a few words with him, but I managed to talk her down. Instead, I asked her to go get Daisy and keep her with them for the night. I’d come get her sometime after work. She too warned me to be careful then apologized for even setting us up in the first place. After assuring her that she wasn’t to blame, we finally said our goodnights and hung up.

It was nearly one in the morning when Alex and I finally fell into bed. I was exhausted, but every time I closed my eyes I’d see Andrew’s face and those haunting words ‘This isn’t over.’ and then they’d pop open again. Every little sound made me jerk and even though I was wrapped securely in my boyfriend’s arms, I almost expected Andrew to reach out and grab me.

Finally at close to four, I pushed back the covers and slipped from the bed. Maybe a cup of warm milk would help me. I was going to be exhausted at work tomorrow and it was supposed to be a busy day; I was showing four houses. I needed all the rest I could get.

Making my way downstairs, I headed into the kitchen and flipped on the light, squinting from the brightness. Then I turned on the stove and got a small saucepan from under the counter. After pouring the milk and letting it warm for a few minutes, I transferred it to a mug then wrapped my hands around it and moved to the back patio doors, peeking out into his lavish backyard.

The moonlight was reflecting off the pool, casting an eerie light around, and I was so transfixed on calmness of the pool water that I nearly missed the figure off to the side.

I jerked back with a start, feeling my heart leap up into my throat. They had to have seen me for they stepped closer and right into the moonlight and I dropped my mug, shattering the ceramic around my feet.

Andrew was right there, in Alex’s backyard, feet away from me and watching me with a rather smug expression. ‘I’ve found you’ his eyes seemed to be saying.

A scream was caught in my throat and I took a step back, ignoring the pain as a slice of the shattered mug cut into the bottom of my foot. I had to get upstairs and get Alex. We needed to call the police. But I couldn’t seem to move fast enough. I took another step back then turned and started for the archway leading into the hall. It felt like slow motion; inside, my heart was racing a mile a minute, but on the outside, I seemed lethargic, like I was trying to walk through a vat of syrup.

I hadn’t even made it halfway to the doorway when the room exploded with a crash and glass sprayed everywhere. With a shriek, I turned back to see Andrew tossing aside a deck chair and kicking the rest of the glass out of the door. Then he stepped into the house and his eyes met mine again.

“I told you this wasn’t over.”

He almost growled it out and I tried to move faster, but my legs weren’t responding. I opened my mouth to scream, but nothing came out. Panic was flowing through me and instead of responding, it felt like I was sinking into the syrup.

“You won’t escape me.” He was now heading for me, his black boots clunking on the wood floor.

I pushed a chair over in hopes of slowing his path then started again for the hallway.

But I didn’t get far before I felt his large hands on my shoulders. He grabbed me and spun me around, forcing my back against the wall. “Bitch,” he sneered as his body pressed against mine.

“L…let me go…” I stammered out, hearing the roar of my heartbeat in my ears.

“Not a chance,” he growled as his hand snaked between us and grabbed a hold of my pajama pants and in one swift motion, he yanked them down off my hips.

That’s when the scream finally came. Again and again it spilled from my mouth until my throat was raw.

And then Andrew was shaking me, repeating my name over and over, his voice morphing from that evil growl into the voice of my boyfriend.

I blinked at that, wondering what was going on, and then suddenly my eyes opened and I was in Alex’s bed, darkness around us and Andrew nowhere to be found. Instead, Alex was peering down at me, his hand on my shoulder as he gently nudged me, repeating my name just like Andrew had been saying it.

“Wha…” I sat up and looked around, nothing seemed amiss and the rest of the house was quiet.

“You were screaming.” He sat up beside me and touched my back.

It had been a nightmare. Kicking the covers back, I examined my lower half to find my pajama pants still in tact and no cuts on my feet. Just a bad dream. Relief flowed through me and I fell back against the pillows. “I had a nightmare.”

“I know.” He sank back down next to me, propping himself on his side and smoothing his hand over my tummy. “You wanna talk about it?”

“No.”

“Okay.” His thumb made small circles on my stomach.

I sighed and rubbed my eyes. I really needed to get some sleep, but the thought of something happening while I wasn’t awake scared me more than sleeping.

“You should try to get back to sleep.” He dipped his head and kissed my jaw.

“I dunno if I can.”

“It was that bad, huh?”

I just nodded and rolled to my side, my back to him, drawing my legs up and into the fetal position.

“Hey,” he forced me back onto my back and watched me in the dim light filtering in from the window, “don’t start closing yourself off on me.”

I sighed at that and rubbed my face with both hands. “Can I tell you about it tomorrow?”

“Of course.” He pushed some hair from my eyes then kissed my cheek. “But, I’m holding you to that.”

“Kay.” I yawned some then leaned into his side.

“Try to get some sleep, okay?”

I wet my bottom lip then met his gaze. “Will you…keep watch?”

He was quiet a moment, just taking me in, before he finally nodded his head and settled against his own pillows, wrapping his arms around me. “Anything for you, baby.”

I snuggled into his embrace and felt myself relaxing some. Knowing he’d stay awake to watch and make sure nothing bad happened might just ease my mind and allow some rest to come my way. “Thank you,” I mumbled softly.

“You’re welcome.” His lips brushed my temple and he held me a little closer and a little tighter.

And finally, a few moments later, a nightmare-less sleep finally overcame me.

Chapter Forty-Two by summer
Author's Notes:
Things are moving along so well, I'm able to update way ahead of schedule. Let's hope it stays that way. I wanna say thanks to Sapphire and WishingOnAStar for the reviews on the last chp. It was a difficult chapter to do and I appreciate the thoughts. Hopefully everyone enjoys this one. :)

 

Things seemed to resume to normal on Wednesday, or as close to normal as they could be considering I had no vehicle, Andrew was nowhere to be found, Dixon was for once not hitting on me and rumors were swirling around the office about the parking lot confrontation. I managed to keep myself busy with the house viewings and meetings with my clients and being in contact with the bank on and off all day. Though I have to admit, Andrew did remain in the back of my mind. That horrible nightmare would just not go away and his face would flash before my eyes randomly as I went about my business.

Alex was supposed to meet me at the office at six sharp and follow me back to his place. He still wasn’t letting me stay alone and I was perfectly fine with that. He had insisted that morning that we should stay at his place, it would be safer and Andrew wouldn’t know where it was. Fine by me, I just hoped he didn’t show up at my place of business again.

That didn’t seem to be a problem though, because the police had reported that he was nowhere to be found. They had tried his office that morning, but his secretary reported he hadn’t checked in yet. And he still hadn’t checked in by noon or even three. He also wasn’t in New York, he wasn’t even scheduled to be there for another couple weeks. So where was Andrew? That was the burning question of the day. Wherever he was, I hoped it was as far from me as possible.

“So, what do you want to do this weekend on our double date?” Anna’s voice invaded my thoughts and I turned from my computer to find her perched at the edge of my desk.

I gave a shrug and rubbed the back of my neck. “I haven’t even thought about it since I mentioned it yesterday.” A beat. “Is there something you want to do?”

“Well, we have to do dinner,” she pursed her lips together and tilted her head in a thoughtful manner, “and I suppose we could do a movie.”

I made a face. “I don’t want to do a movie.”

“Ooh, we could go to a jazz club. Does Alex like jazz?”

“I don’t like jazz.”

She chuckled. “Alright, well…we could go to some kind of music lounge.”

“I bet Alex knows a place.” I sat up straighter in my chair and fiddled with a folder on my desk. “Have I told you that he’s a musician?”

“Really?” Her brows lifted. “Well then, we’ll let him recommend somewhere.”

“Okay,” I offered a smile, “and you guys can pick the restaurant.” Then I blinked. “Oh gosh, I haven’t even told him about this. What evening did you want to do this?”

“How ‘bout Saturday?”

I gave a nod. “I’ll talk to him and see if he’s free. If not, we could maybe do something Friday night.”

“Yeah,” she stood straight and smoothed her blouse down some where it had bunched up, “either night is fine with me. My mom can watch Abi.”

“Okay, great,” I offered up a smile, “I’ll talk to him tonight and let you know tomorrow.”

“Perfect.” She flashed her own pearly whites before growing serious. “So, still no word on Andrew, huh?”

“No,” I frowned and rubbed my forehead. “No one knows where he is. Why would he just take off?”

“Duh, because he knows he’s in trouble and that you probably reported him to the police and now they want to talk to him.”

I chuckled low at her ‘duh’. “Maybe, but still…he’s a grown man why is he acting like a child?”

“Sometimes they’ll do that. Greg behaves like a child every time I ask him to clean the bathroom.”

“Well, whatever the case, I hope they find him soon. I hate not knowing where he is or if he’s gonna find some way to get in contact with me again.”

She frowned, crease lines appearing on her forehead. “We aren’t going to let that happen.”

I gave a little nod, trying once again to push my awful nightmare to the farthest corner of my mind. “Right, I’m not worried,” I lied. “Besides, I’m going to be staying with Alex and Andrew doesn’t even know where he lives.”

“Good.” Anna gave a nod just as the phone on my desk rang. “I’ll letcha get that.” Then she touched my shoulder and moved back to her own work station.

I watched her go then reached and lifted the receiver, holding it to my ear. “Houghton Real Estate, Morgan Weston speaking.”

“Hey, baby,” my boyfriend’s rich voice greeted me.

It sounded like music to my ears and I couldn’t keep the smile from my face. “Hey.”

“How ya doing?”

“I’m okay. How are you?”

“Doing alright. I was just calling to see how your day was going.”

“So far pretty good. I’ve got a house to show in about,” I checked my watch, “forty minutes and I’ve already shown two. Then I’ve got to make some phone calls and work on an offer that one of my clients gave today.”

“Sounds like you’ve got a pretty full schedule.” He paused a moment. “Do you have time for lunch?”

I tilted my head and peeked to the phone. “Do you want to have lunch with me?”

“I would, actually.” I could hear his grin through the phone.

“Well, I’m sure I could finagle that after this showing. It might be a late lunch, but if you don’t mind that, we could meet up somewhere.”

“Not at all, baby. I can find something to snack on and tide myself over with.”

“Okay, then I’ll give you a call when we’re finishing up and we can meet somewhere.”

“Sounds good. I’ll be waiting. Good luck with the showing.”

“Thank you. I’ll talk to you in a while then.”

“Okay, baby. Be careful, I love you.”

I felt my heart flutter. “I love you, too.”

And then he was gone.

With a sigh, I replaced the receiver and began to gather the paperwork I might need for the showing. I was supposed to meet Lance and Nicole Braden at the house at one sharp and if I left now I would just miss the lunch rush hour on the expressway. That was one thing I did not miss while in Connecticut; Los Angeles traffic. You had to time it just right if you wanted to miss the gridlock action and get anywhere. Or not go to certain places at certain times. LA traffic was definitely not fun.

I made it to the SUV and inside when my cell rang. After slipping my blue tooth receiver into my ear, I accepted the call and pulled out of the parking spot. “Hello?”

“Morgan? It’s Candace.”

“Candace? Hey!” I greeted my sister in law. “What’s going on?” She hardly ever called me, so this had definitely piqued my interest.

“I just wanted to let you know that we’re almost settled into the condo and would love for you to come out and visit sometime soon.”

I maneuvered the SUV along the boulevard, trying to keep my attention focused on my driving. “Are you there now?”

“I am, I’ve been here since Sunday and started my new position Monday.”

“Oh, that’s great.”

“Yeah, I really like it so far.”

I slowed for a red light. “And Grayson is back in New York?”

“Unfortunately. But he’ll be coming out here Friday evening.”

“Oh, well that’s good. Is it weird being there by yourself?”

“A little bit, but even in New York, sometimes we rarely saw each other.”

I don’t know how she and Grayson were even happy in a relationship like that. I know I couldn’t do it, but everyone was different and what’s good for the goose isn’t always good for the gander, so more power to ‘em. “And you like your new job?”

“I love it!” She gushed over the line.

“That’s great, Candace. I’m glad things are going well for you.”

“Thank you. Let’s hope they continue to be this way.”

I chuckled and started through the now green light. “I’m sure they will.”

“I hope so.” She paused a moment before continuing, “So when are you going to come out and see us?”

I lifted a brow. “Well, I was gonna wait until you guys were settled a bit more.”

“Things are pretty settled right now. We’ve got most everything done and we’ll be finishing up this weekend once Grayson gets out here.”

“Oh good. I know when I moved it took quite awhile to get everything situated like I wanted.”

“Of course, but we hired this great decorator and she’s really whipped this place into shape.”

A decorator, how nice. “Well good then. The less work you have to do the better.”

Candace chuckled. “That’s what I told Grayson.”

I had to laugh at that. “So, when are you wanting me to come visit?”

“Oh, whenever you have some time. It’d be best to be a weekend because then I wouldn’t be working, but whenever you’re available.”

I mentally ran through the obligations I had lined up over the next few weeks. “I’m not sure if I’ll have any real free time until July.”

“Ooh, that would be perfect! Grayson will be here over the July 4th weekend. You could come then. And even bring Alex.”

I smiled. That actually sounded quite nice. “I’ll check my schedule and see what I can do.”

“Okay great. And just let us know.”

“Will do, take care of yourself and tell my brother I said, hello.”

“I sure will. You take care of yourself too, Morgan.”

I thanked her and promised to keep in touch then disconnected the call. The idea of going out to Arizona over the weekend actually sounded like a fun idea. We could go out to dinner, hit up a couple of ‘hot spots’ and check out a fireworks show. And it would be even better if Alex could come with me. Knowing my brother and his wife, they just might get caught up in their work and if that did occur, Alex and I could go find something to do on our own. I could ask him about it at lunch today and the double date with Anna and her husband.

Fifteen minutes later, I was pulling up to the house that Braden’s were interested in. They spent the next 45 minutes looking the house over and trying to decide if it was “the one”. Finally, just when I thought I was going to have to call Alex and postpone our late lunch even later, they finally made an offer and ten minutes later I was out the door and heading for the café to meet my boyfriend. I put the offer in on my phone as I was heading downtown and left a message for the realtor that was in charge of selling the house. Hopefully, within the next few days, the Braden’s would have an answer.

Alex was waiting at the table when the hostess showed me to it. He stood as I approached and enveloped me in a hug. “I was about to call you.”

“I know, I’m sorry.” I held him tightly, taking in his scent and the feel of his arms around me. “I sent you that text.”

“I got that.” He pulled back and kissed my mouth softly. “But I was still worried."

“Well, I’m here now,” I pulled back and smoothed my hand over his arm, “so no worries.”

He leaned in and kissed my cheek. “That’s right. Here, have a seat.” Then he moved around me and pulled out my chair.

I got seated and we ordered drinks and appetizers from our server, then were left to pour over the menu.

It didn’t take me long to decide that I wanted a grilled chicken pita and after Alex made up his mind and we placed the orders, we finally relaxed back in the chairs and sipped our drinks.

“So, your day going okay today?” He asked me after setting his coke glass back down on the table.

“So far, I had a couple make an offer on that house I was showing so hopefully it’ll come through for them.”

“Oh, that’s good.” He sent me a charming grin.”

“Yes, it is and I have another family that their offer went through and they’re just waiting on the inspections.”

“Well, look at you.” He leaned in and took my hand, lifting it to his mouth and kissing my fingertips. “You seem to be a kick ass realtor.”

I couldn’t help but giggle. “I’m trying.”

He chuckled as well and played with my fingers. “So no word from Andrew, huh?”

That sobered up the mood and I shook my head. “No, they still can’t find him. But he hasn’t tried to contact me, so that’s a plus.” I had finally relented and told Alex about my horrible nightmare that morning over cereal and coffee. He’d pouted and kissed my forehead, told me Andrew wasn’t going to find me like that and that he’d do everything in his willpower to keep me protected.

Alex’s face went stony. “He better not even think about trying to see you again. And you call me and the cops if he tries.”

I nodded. “Of course. If he even calls me I’ll call the cops.”

“Good.” He relaxed some and I squeezed his hand. “I talked with my lawyers this morning. They think we have a pretty good chance at getting that restraining order, especially since he threatened you.”

A wave of relief moved through me. “Really? What do we have to do?”

“You have to fill out a few forms requesting that Andrew have no contact with you, and give an Affidavit and then the court clerk presents it to a judge who decides if you should have one or not.”

My mouth formed a little ‘oh’. “So, they may say no.”

“It’s possible, but under the circumstances, I don’t think that’d be the case.” He held my hand protectively with both of his. “And there’s even this thing called an ex parte, or temporary restraining order, which is like an immediate one if the judge thinks you need it; which basically orders the person to stay away from you until the hearing on the order.”

I gave a little nod. “When can we get started?”

“My guys are faxing the paperwork to me today, so tonight you can fill it out.”

I watched him with a thankful expression. “Okay, that sounds great.”

“Good.” He kissed my fingers again then just watched me with a love filled expression.

“So, my friend Anna, the one you met last night, wants us to go out with her and her husband this weekend.” Time for a subject change.

“Oh yeah? What do they want to do?”

I gave a shrug. “We weren’t entirely sure cuz we didn’t know what you’d feel like doing. But dinner for sure. And then maybe a music lounge. I told her you might know of somewhere cool to go.”

He gave a nod. “There’s a few that you might like. What kind of music are you wanting to see.”

I trailed my fingers along the back of his hand. “Long as it’s not Jazz, I don’t really care.”

“You don’t like Jazz?” His brows lifted at my confession.

“No,” I chuckled and gave a shrug, “and I really can’t tell you why. It just…doesn’t hold my interest.”

“That’s too bad, but everyone has their own style.” He tilted his head in a thoughtful manner. “How ‘bout a Blue’s lounge?”

“Yeah,” I nodded some, “I could do Rhythm and Blues.”

“Great.” He kissed my fingers again. “And we can let your friend and her husband pick the restaurant.”

“Okay, that sounds good.” I smiled then looked as the server returned with our appetizers.

“So, there’s something I wanted to talk to you about,” he began as we filled our plates and began to chow down on the food.

I felt my heart skip a beat and met his gaze. “What’s that?” His voice held a tone that let me know some kind of news was coming; but good or bad, I wasn’t sure.

“Well,” he lifted one of his nacho chips and dipped it into the mass of cheese, peppers, salsa and sour cream dalloped on top, “I got a phone call earlier from my mom.”

I paused with my fork poised over my own plate. “Is everything okay?” Suddenly, thoughts that he might have gotten a phone call like I did flashed through my head.

“Oh yeah.” He nodded and took the bite, waiting until his mouth was empty before continuing, “She just is planning on coming out here to visit me next week.”

I watched him. “Your mom is coming out?”

“Yeah,” a grin stretched over his face, “you’ll like her, at least I hope you will, but she’s a cool lady. She’s really been there for me through a lot and we’re pretty close.”

I tilted my head, a small smile tugging on my lips. “Does she know about me?”

“Of course.”

“You think she’ll like me?”

“She’s going to love you.”

My smile grew. “Good and I’m sure I’ll love her. She’s a part of you, how can I not?”

“Exactly.” He chuckled some and reached for his coke glass. “She’ll be staying with me though.”

“Well, that’s okay. I can’t imagine you’d make her stay in a hotel.”

He shook his head at that. “Of course not, and if Andrew hasn’t been found, you’re staying with me, too.”

“What’s your mom going to think of that?”

“She’d agree with me.”

I smiled and just watched him a minute. “Maybe your mom and I could like, go do stuff together; like…shopping, or we could go out to lunch.”

“Baby, that’d be great!” I could see his eyes light up at that suggestion.

“I think so too. And then the three of us will have to go do something. Maybe we could take a day trip somewhere.”

“Or a weekend trip.”

I gave a nod then looked as our server brought over our main courses, thanking her and letting her take away the appetizers that were now nearly gone.

“So, what day is your mom arriving?” I questioned as I put my napkin in my lap and made sure my pita didn’t have any tomatoes on it.

“Tuesday morning. I have to pick her up from the airport at ten in the morning.”

“Do you want me to go with you?”

He looked to me, his fork halfway to his mouth. “Would you want to?”

I gave a little shrug. “If you wanted me to. But if you don’t, I completely understand.”

“Could you get out of work?”

“Yeah, I could probably even take that day off.”

Alex gave a crooked grin then took the bite of his food. “I wouldn’t mind if you came with me,” he replied after he’d eaten the bite and wiped his mouth.

“Kay,” I reached my leg out and brushed it against his, “I’ll do that then.”

He smiled at me and we were quiet for a few moments while we concentrated on eating. Then something suddenly popped back into my head.

“Oh, I nearly forgot; Candace called me earlier and we were thinking I might go out to Arizona to see her and Grayson over the July 4th weekend.”

“Really?” He arched a brow.

“Yeah,” I gave a little nod and offered a sweet smile, “and she wants you to come, too.”

“Seriously?”

“Yes,” I chuckled some, “and I think it’d be a great idea; we could go to dinner, check out the town and go see some fireworks.”

“What about your brother?”

“What about him?”

He sighed and leaned forward some, his expressive eyes meeting mine. “He doesn’t like me much.”

“Oh, don’t even go there. He likes you just fine. And it wouldn’t even matter, because Candace likes you and she wants you out there.” A beat. “And so do I.”

“Well, I guess that decides that.” He chuckled and smoothed his shirt. “I’ll see if my schedule’s free and letcha know.”

“Kay.” I grinned and nudged his leg again. “Maybe we could turn it into a road trip.”

“Maybe.” He nodded some and returned back to his food. “How long a drive is it?”

“I’m not sure, but I’ll look it up. And of course, if it’s too far we won’t drive, but if not, I think a road trip with you could be fun.”

His lively brown eyes danced as they watched me. “How good of a road trip companion are you?”

I smiled brightly at him. “The best. I bring lots of snacks, good tunes and plenty to keep us occupied with.”

“Hey, maybe we could rent a car and defile the backseat along the way.”

I giggled low. “Eat your food.”

“Ooh, you know, we could probably defile the backseat of my SUV after our lunch.”

“I have to get back to the office.”

“We’ll see, Ms. Weston, we’ll see.”

Chapter Forty-Three by summer
Author's Notes:
Thank you so much for the reviews guys! Means a lot to me and gives me that motivation I need! Hope you enjoy this chp! :)

 

I was an hour late returning to the office. And Anna wouldn’t stop teasing me when she caught sight of my disheveled hair and wrinkled blouse before I had a chance to escape to the restroom and freshen up. The rest of the day I had a lovesick expression on my face and my worries about Andrew had melted away. Alex showed back up at six sharp and followed me back to his place. Then we spent the evening filling out and faxing the paperwork back to his lawyers. We were crossing our fingers that they would grant the temporary restraining order before the hearing for the official one took place. I wasn’t sure how things would go down if Andrew still hadn’t been located by then. But I couldn’t see him hiding away for two or three weeks; that’d be ludicrous.

I tried not to think about it as the weekend rolled around, but it proved easier said than done. Andrew was still nowhere to be found and I had the horrible nightmare two more times. Alex had finally gotten me to tell him about them and then he’d promised that he wasn’t going to let anything like that happen. Friday night we got the phone call that the temporary restraining order had been put into place. And we had a hearing date a week from Monday. That called for a celebration, which was fitting considering we were meeting up with Greg and Anna.

We had reservations at STK at eight o’clock sharp. STK was one of the popular and very trendy steakhouses in the greater Los Angeles area that had some of the best dishes known to man. Its seating was in high demand and we had been lucky enough to get in because Anna’s uncle was the head chef. Usually you had to call a week or two in advance to get into a place like that.

Alex and I arrived at three minutes to eight and were bombarded with flashbulbs going off the minute we stepped from his SUV. Suddenly, cameras were thrust in his face and people began tossing questions at him faster than I could keep up with them. He was his usual charming self though and politely conversed with the reporters, holding securely to my arm and leading us inside the restaurant.

“Are you okay?” He questioned once we were in the safe haven of STK.

I blinked my eyes, still seeing bright white lights before them. “I… think so. I’ll letcha know for sure once my vision returns.”

He chuckled and smoothed a hand over my back. “I’m sorry about that. I had no idea they camped outside this place.”

I wanted to rub my eyes, but didn’t want to smear my makeup. Instead, I squeezed them shut then blinked them rapidly a few more times, relieved to see that things were slowly returning back to normal. “What was all that?”

“The paparazzi.”

I glanced towards the doorway then to him. “Geeze, how do you not go blind?”

He chuckled then took my hand in his. “You wear sunglasses.”

“I always wondered why in pictures I saw, celebrities were wearing sunglasses inside or at nighttime. But it makes complete sense now.”

“Yeah, sometimes it can get rather frustrating. But it’s the price you pay for doing something you love.”

I gave a little nod and gave a grateful sigh once my vision cleared completely. “Okay, I can see right again.”

“Good.” He kissed my forehead then led me towards the maître d’, where he gave our names and we were soon being led towards the table Anna and Greg were seated at.

They rose once they spotted us and I introduced Greg to Alex. He shook his hand then gave Anna a quick hug before pulling out my chair. I thanked him and slipped into the seat, smoothing the flirty, black cocktail dress I had selected for the night.

“So, how are you guys?” Anna questioned once we were all seated and had given the server our drink orders.

“We’re doing pretty good.” Alex reached for my hand and held it protectively in his lap.

I gave a nod and met my friends gaze. “The temporary restraining order came through and we have a court date a week from Monday.”

“Oh, Morgan, that’s great!”

“Yeah,” I peeked over to my boyfriend then back to my friend, “we’re really relieved.”

“Yeah, I bet you are.” She gave a little nod, her brows lifted in agreement.

“So how are things with you guys? Greg, it’s been awhile since I’ve seen you.”

“Yeah, you haven’t been over to the house in awhile.”

Yeah, things have been kinda busy.”

“We’ll have to have you both over sometime soon.”

I glanced over to Alex with a little grin before returning my gaze to Greg. “That sounds rather nice.”

He grinned and looked towards his wife. “We’ll have to figure out a day.”

Anna tilted her head. “What about next Sunday?

Greg lifted his brows. “Alex, do you golf?”

“It’s one of my favorites.”

Greg gave a broad grin. “Well, what if I take Alex with me to the course in the morning and you ladies could meet us down there for lunch?”

I looked over to my boyfriend.

He gave a warm grin of his own. “That sounds good to me.”

“Great.” Greg sat back as they brought our drinks over.

We then spent the next few minutes pouring over the menus and trying to decide what delectable dish we wanted. After the orders were placed, we were left to our own vices and relaxed back in the chairs.

“So, Morgan tells us you’re a musician,” Anna spoke up from where she sat sipping on her iced tea.

Alex turned to her and gave a nod. “That’s right.”

“What exactly do you do?”

“A little of everything.” His hand squeezed my leg as he conversed with my friend. “I sing, play some different instruments and write. I’ve even started getting into producing.”

“That sounds really interesting.”

“Yeah, it definitely keeps me busy.”

Anna gave a nod. “Do you play any shows or anything?”

“Definitely.” He leaned back in his chair, moving his arm to the back of mine, his body leaning towards me. “I’ll actually be touring this fall.”

“Ooh, that’s so neat,” my friend exclaimed from her spot across the table. “If you do a show in the area, we’ll have to come.”

Next to her, Greg nodded. “Are you in a band?”

“I am,” Alex responded with.

I glanced between them as they chatted, Anna asking him about the type of music he plays and finding out about the group he’s in. They talked a bit more about his career and then a little about what Greg did and then our dinner was served. Over the medium rare and well done steaks, our conversations continued. Greg and Alex seemed to hit it off and were soon involved in a discussion about golf and the PGA tour, leaving Anna and I to talk about work and her daughter and my dog and the latest happenings in current events. It was a relaxing atmosphere and the four of us enjoyed our dinner at a leisurely pace. Finally, after our plates were cleared and we were sipping coffee and trying to decide if we wanted dessert, Anna turned to Alex.

“Morgan was telling me about Bernie. I’m so sorry, that’s something terrible to have to go through.”

My boyfriend gave a little nod, a sad look crossing his face which he quickly pushed away with a hopeful expression. “Thank you. Yeah, it’s tough, but the doctor’s are hopeful and think that we’ll be able to kick it.”

“Who’s Bernie?” Greg piped up from his spot.

“One of my dogs. He has cancer.”

“Oh, that’s rough.”

“It is, but Bernie’s a fighter.” I reached over and laced fingers with Alex, giving his hand a comforting squeeze. “And each visit to the vet just goes better and better than expected.”

“Good.” Anna gave her endearing grin.

“Right.” He pulled my hand over into his lap. “And on his appointment on Tuesday-crap, Bernie has a vet appointment on Tuesday.” His dark eyes met mine.

I gave a little nod. “Okay, baby.”

“No,” he chuckled low and turned to face me more, “he has an appointment at 11 and my mom comes in at 10.”

I blinked. “How are you gonna pick up your mom and take Bernie to the vet at the same time?”

“I’m not.” He shook his head. “I’m going to have to reschedule the appointment. Though, they’ve been so booked, I don’t know when I’ll be able to get another one in.”

I gave a little pout. “Maybe someone can pick your mom up for you… or take Bernie to the vet.”

“Can you do it?”

I blinked. “What?”

“You think you could pick up my mom? I would say, take Bernie, but sometimes there’s paperwork and tests and I have to be there for those.”

For some reason, I wasn’t comfortable with the idea of picking his mom up at the airport all by myself. “But…I don’t know what she looks like.”

“I’ll show you a picture.” He leaned over and kissed my cheek. “And I’ll send her a pic of you.”

“Or, she could stand there with all the drivers holding up a sign with your mom’s name on it,” Greg suggested.

Alex laughed low. “I like that idea, but my mom wouldn’t.”

“Yeah, please don’t make me hold a sign.”

He grinned at me. “So, you’ll do it?”

I couldn’t tell him no. He needed me, and after everything he’s done for me, I could at least pick his mom up. What was I so worried about? I’m sure she was a wonderful lady, after all; she had raised a wonderful son. Giving a nod, and a small grin of my own, I responded, “Of course.”

“Thank you, baby.” He kissed my cheek then my lips lightly. “I really appreciate it. I should get there not too much longer after you, hopefully.”

“I don’t know how long I can stay, I’m leaving work to do this, remember.”

“I thought you were going to take the day off.”

That’s right; I had told him I’d try to do that. “I don’t know for certain if I can yet.” Which was not a lie, because the request had to be approved by Zoe.

“Well, if you can’t stay, just drop her off and she’ll be fine at my place till I get there.”

I gave a little nod and squeezed his hand. “Okay, that sounds good.”

“Thank you.” He smiled and kissed my lips lightly before turning back to the other two people at the table with us. “Sorry about that, anyone up for dessert?”

~*~*~*~*~

The rest of the dinner went smoothly and afterwards we headed no over to a classy Rhythm and Blues lounge that Alex had picked out. The inside had been cozy, with tables close together and high back booths facing the stage. The servers had worn black pants, white shirts with black vests and ties and black fedoras, very Blue’s Brotherish. While we had sipped our coffees, the band had played music that was lively yet soothing and the Sawyers had been delighted with the place. Upon our departure, Greg and Alex had exchanged numbers and discussed what time they wanted to tee off when they met up for golf and I had hugged Anna, telling her I’d see her in the office on Monday.

Alex told me on the way back to his place, that he’d had a really good time and had enjoyed Greg and Anna’s company. He agreed that we’d have to get together more often and that he was looking forward to the golf next Sunday. Of course, that delighted me and on Monday, I relayed that conversation with Anna. She told me the same about Greg and even said that he was talking about getting in touch with Alex before Sunday to make plans. Something told me they were going to become pretty good friends.

Of course, when I relayed the conversation with Dianna, she wondered when we were going to go out to dinner with her and Manuel.

“It’s different with you and Manuel,” I explained to her that Monday evening. I had gotten out of work a little early and stopped by her place to visit before heading on to Alex’s.

“How is it different?” She was sitting across from me on the love seat, sipping on some raspberry tea.

“Because it’s you. Anna is a dear friend, yes, but you’re like an older sister to me and what you think really means a lot.”

“Aww, Morgan, that’s so sweet.”

I blushed a little. “It’s true.”

“I know it is and that means a lot, but I’ve already met him and I already like him, so I think we should get together and go out sometime.”

She had a point. She had already met him and she liked us together, so there didn’t seem to be a reason to put things off. “Okay, you’re right. This weekend isn’t good though, his mom is coming into town tomorrow and on Sunday we’re going to meet up with Anna and Greg for brunch.”

“His mom is coming into town?” Her brows rose.

“Yeah, and I have to pick her up at the airport in the morning.”

“How come you have to?”

“Bernie has a vet appointment at eleven, so I volunteered.”

“Aww, Morgan,” a tiny grin tugged at her lips, “I think that’s really sweet of you.”

I blushed again. “Yeah, but it makes me nervous. My first time meeting his mom and he’s not there with me.”

“Why does that make you nervous?”

“Because, what do we talk about? Alex won’t be there to guide us in the direction, or field certain questions or topics. I have no idea what she likes, or doesn’t like. I don’t know the kind of person she is. What if she doesn’t like me?”

Dianna watched me with a calm expression. “Why wouldn’t she like you?”

I gave a little shrug. “I don’t know, I was just listing off possibilities.”

“I’m sure she’s going to like you.” She leaned forward and set her tea on the coffee table. “You’re a nice person, you’re sweet and funny and kind and I don’t see any reason she wouldn’t like you.”

“What do we talk about? I hate having those silences where you’re racking your brain and you don’t know what to say and you don’t want to say something stupid.” I fell back into the armchair with a heavy sigh.

“Morgan, you’re getting yourself too worked up. You’ve got to just calm down, it’s going to be okay.”

I rubbed my forehead. “I know… I just really want her to like me. This…what we have going on is very serious and,” I wet my bottom lip, “permanent and I just don’t want to get off on the wrong foot with his mom.”

“Aww, honey,” she moved over and crouched in front of the arm chair, “you aren’t going to get off on the wrong foot. You just have to have a little faith in yourself. I’m sure she’s just as nervous to meet you. The woman that is so important in her son’s life.”

“You’re right.” I gave a sigh. “I dunno why I’m so nervous.”

“Well, this is a big step for you. He’s met your parents and now you’re meeting his mom. Of course you want to make a good impression. When you marry someone, or make a serious commitment to them, you’re also doing the same with their family.” She gave my knee a comforting squeeze. “But his mom is going to adore you.”

“Yeah,” I gave a little nod, still feeling some nerves, “thank you. You’re completely right.”

“I know.” She smirked then sat back and rose to her feet. “And I expect, when you two eventually do get married, you’ll make me your matron of honor.”

I giggled at the thought of marrying him. “You know I will.”

“Good.” She returned to her seat and took up her tea again.

“So,” I glanced around her living room, “when are you and Manuel getting that dog?”

Dianna chuckled. “I keep putting it off, but he’s constantly bringing it up.”

“You oughta just let him get one.”

“I’m still not keen on the idea.”

I gave a low chuckled. “I know, but at least he’s not asking you for a baby.”

She gave a snort before taking a sip of her warm beverage. “And he better never do that.”

“You seriously don’t ever want children?” I know that everyone had their own preference, but Dianna not wanting children saddened me a little and I wasn’t sure why.

“No, I just don’t have even the tiniest urge to have any.”

“That’s too bad; you’d make a good mom.”

She scoffed. “I would not. There isn’t a single bit of mother-ness in me.”

“Yes there is; look how good you’ve been taking care of me and helping me out and being there for me.” I watched her with a lifted brow. “I think you’ve got more in you than you realize.”

She broke our gaze and gave a little sigh. “Alright, maybe I do, but it’s still not something I want to get into.”

I gave a little nod. “And that’s okay. I think you’d make a great mom, but it’s completely your decision.”

She nodded then a slight grin tugged at her lips. “What about you?”

I arched my brows. “What about me?”

“You want children?”

“Well… yeah, but not until the time is right.”

“Of course.” She gave a little nod then a bigger grin. “Now, you would make a good mother.”

“You think so?”

“I know so.” She leaned forward and set her mug on the coffee table once more. “You and Alex are going to make beautiful babies. They’ll have your beautiful blue eyes and his olive complexion, maybe his dark hair or little blonde ringlets.”

I giggled softly. “They would be beautiful, wouldn’t they?”

“Very.” She grinned and watched me. “And I’ll be their Aunt Dianna, who will spoil them rotten and give ‘em back to you.”

That made me laugh. “Oh boy, that’s something to look forward to.”

She laughed as well then watched me with a twinkle in her eye. “I’m so proud of you, Morgan. I can honestly say I’ve never seen you this relaxed or genuinely happy.”

“Thank you.” I smoothed my skirt some, feeling a little blush creep onto my cheeks. “I’m pretty proud of myself, too.”

“As you should be. You’re finally on that home stretch.”

“Yeah,” I gave a little nod, “I just hope there aren’t any unexpected road bumps.”

“There always are, honey. You just learn how to get over them together.””

Chapter Forty-Four by summer
Author's Notes:
Here is your long awaited chapter. Sorry it's so late, but life gets in the way sometimes, you know. I want to say thank you to those who still read this and thanks to those who give me that much appreciated feedback. I hope you all enjoy this chapter and I can't wait to find out what you think about it. Hehe. :)

 

The airport was busting with people as I stood at the baggage claim waiting for Alex’s mom, Denise, to show up. Her plane had landed about 20 minutes ago and they had just posted what baggage turntable the luggage would be coming out on. Inside, I was a ball of nerves, my stomach was fluttering with butterflies and my palms were clammy. I wanted this woman to like me and to accept me into her life with her son. I knew they were close and I knew that he valued her opinion greatly, so this had to go well for me.

This must have been what Alex felt like just before meeting my parents, I thought to myself as I scanned the crowds that headed into the baggage area. I know he had been nervous, but I wondered if he had been as nervous as I was. Probably so, or maybe even more, considering he was meeting most my family. I could do this for him; he’d done it for me.

“You must be Morgan.”

I turned at the voice to find a shorter, slightly plump woman with glasses and brilliant red hair standing before me. Denise McLean Solis; and she looked exactly like the photo Alex had showed me.

“Yes, hi.” I shifted my purse on my shoulder and held my hand out, feeling my heart knocking against my chest.

“It’s so good to finally meet you.” She ignored my hand and pulled me in for a hug. “Alex has told me so much about you.”

“He’s told me about you as well,” I spoke once she had released me. “He’s really looking forward to your visit.”

“Of course he is.” She flashed a broad smile then slipped her arm through mine. “And I appreciate you picking me up. It’s unfortunate he couldn’t be here as well.”

“Yeah, he totally forgot about Bernie’s appointment until Friday night.”

“That poor pooch.” She shook her head in a sympathetic manner. “I do hope he’ll be alright.”

“The doctors seem to think so.” I watched as the turnabout began to start up and suitcases began coming from behind the flap.

“Alex has been through so much, he doesn’t need to deal with a dying dog.”

“I know, I feel horrible for him.” I gave a little pout then looked to the moving belt. “What do your bags look like?”

“They’re red and there’s two of them.”

I gave a little nod and watched for her suitcases. A few moments later they came rolling by and we grabbed them off the turntable and headed for the parking garage. I had opted to take Alex’s SUV, letting him take my Saturn to the vet. I had gotten it back from the repair shop that morning, Alex insisting that I allow him to pay for it. Against my better judgment, I did, vowing that I would pay him back.

“So, Alex let you drive his Cayman,” Denise voiced as we headed from the parking garage and for the ticket booth.

I pulled the parking ticket from the visor. “I’ve been driving it since someone slashed the tires on my car.”

“Alex told me about that. That’s absolutely horrible.” She shook her head. “Do they have any idea who it might have been?”

“Not a clue. The parking lot surveillance camera wasn’t working so there’s no tape and of course, no one saw anything.”

She tsked. “Such a shame.”

“Tell me about it.” I slowed for the ticket booth and lowered the window, handing the man the ticket and the requested amount of money. He gave me some change and then I headed off and away from the airport.

“My son tells me you’re in real estate,” Denise spoke as we headed for the freeway.

“I am.”

“How long have you been doing that?”

“Almost two years.” I glanced over to her then back to the road.

“And before that you were in advertising?”

“Right, then I moved out here and changed professions.”

She watched the road ahead of us. “That’s interesting. Which do you like better?”

I wasn’t sure what to make of her comment, but brushed it aside. “The real estate. I think I’m much better at it then I ever was at advertising.”

“Alex says you do a good job at it. He was telling me about the contest to Hawaii and that you’re one of the top ones.”

I glanced at her. “He was?” Just how much about me did he tell his mom?

“Mmhmm. He’s pretty proud of you.” She looked to me and lifted a brow.

We exchanged glances and I looked ahead of me again. “He is?” While I knew he was proud of me for some things, like overcoming my grief and getting on with my life, I guess I’d never considered he’d be proud of me in my work and the success that came with it.

“He really cares about you. I can tell he’s very invested in the relationship.”

That made me smile and a warm feeling grow inside of me. “I’m pretty invested in it, too.”

She smiled at that. “I’m glad, because I’d hate for him to be more invested and have his heart broken.”

I could hear the slight chill to her tone and it sent a shiver down my spine. Merging lanes onto the freeway, I glanced to her then back to the road. “I’m not going to break his heart, Mrs. Solis.”

“Please, call me Denise.”

“Denise.”

“Well I sure hope not. My son has had his heart broken more times than I can even count. He doesn’t deserve it again and it’s not going to happen again.”

Rarr, talk about a mama bear. “Well, I haven’t had the easiest with relationships either.”

“I think your situation is completely different.”

I glanced to her. “I think we both have been hurt.”

She gave a little nod. “As long as he’s not hurt again.”

My fingers tightened on the steering wheel. Did this woman seriously think I was going to hurt her son? I had to remind myself that she was just being like any other mother and concerned about her child’s wellbeing.

She gave a little sigh, probably noticing the way my jaw had tightened. “I’m not trying to be mean, but I just worry about him. He’s not made the best of decisions in his past and he doesn’t have the best taste in women either. Not that you’re like the other women he’s dated in the past,” She quickly added.

I gave a little shrug, trying not to let her words bother me. “I know that he has had problems in relationships in the past, we’ve talked about it.” I looked to her at that, wanting to
smirk. “And I am very different then the other women.”

“How so?”

“Well, for one, I don’t want to be famous. And I don’t want to use him for his money, or his fame.”

She watched me warily. “That’s a start.”

I took the exit that’d take us to his neighborhood and gave a sigh, wondering if I really needed to prove myself to this woman. “I’m not shallow or superficial, I don’t cohort with his fans and I don’t go online looking for information.”

“Those are very good things.”

For an instant, part of me wondered if Alex had set it up so I would have to be the one picking his mom up and forcing us into this one on one conversation. But then I thought there’s no way he’d do something like that. I had to give him the benefit of the doubt until I could get him alone and question him. Lord knows I had every intention of doing that.

“How serious are you about my son?”

Her question pulled me from my thoughts and I glanced to her again. “We’re very serious.”

“I know that he was talking about moving in together.”

Damnit, how much did Alex tell his mother? There were some things you were just not supposed to discuss with your parents, no matter how close you were. “Um, we had discussed it.”

She gave a little nod, watching me. “Alex and I are very close, he tells me everything.”

“Yes, I’m learning that.”

“Does that bother you?”

I slowed for a red light and met her gaze. “Honestly, a little bit. There are some things that should just be between the two people in the relationship, not between them and their parents, or even their friends.”

Denise gave a little nod like she understood. “I agree with that to a degree. Alex has had a very difficult life and he’s struggled with things, more things than a normal person should or has. I’m the only constant in his life and the only one he’s ever been able to fully trust.”

I looked to her. “Well, he has me now.”

“Yes, but for how long?”

I blinked, my brows lifting. “Excuse me?”

“None of my son’s relationships ever work out.”

“And what’s to say ours won’t.”

“History has a way of repeating itself.”

“Mrs. Solis,” I began, and she didn’t correct me with the name, “with all due respect, I really think you need to give your son a lot more credit and have a little more faith in him.” Did Alex know his mother thought this way? Maybe there was one specific reason none of his previous relationships had worked out and she was sitting two feet away from me.

“Do not tell me what I need to do for my son.” Her words were sharp.

I wet my bottom lip and started through the intersection when the light turned green. “I’m sorry, I don’t mean any disrespect by it, but not every relationship is the same and ours is certainly different than any he’s had in the past.”

She watched me then turned to face the front window. “You’re right. What do I know? I mean, I am only his mother after all.”

I gave a sigh. “I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to offend you. But Alex and I,” I glanced her way, “we’re real and we’re solid and we’re talking about a serious future.”

“Honey, I have heard that exact phrase over and over with my son and his girlfriends.” She watched me for a long minute, waiting until I was stopped at another traffic light before speaking once more. “Look, I’m not trying to be the evil boyfriend’s mother here, but you have to look at it from my perspective.”

I turned to meet her gaze, wondering if I really wanted to hear this. “And what’s that?”

“Every time Alex introduces me to another one of his women, he claims that they’re the one. That what they have is serious and that he is madly in love with them. And then again and again, I have to help him nurse his broken heart back together.”

“But eventually you do find that one.”

Denise gave a half shrug. “If you get lucky.”

The red light changed to green and I accelerated into the intersection with the other traffic going the same direction we were. “And I truly believe we both did. We found each other out of all the people in the entire world.”

“Morgan, I’m not trying to be mean, or talk bad about my son-”

“Then why are you?”

“Because you need to know. Alex is very finicky and he has serious commitment issues. Things always start off wonderful and go smoothly and just perfect for the first few months, but then slowly it changes and before you know it, it’s over. That’s just how it’s always been.”

I frowned at her. “Why are you telling me this?”

“Because, while I know my son is not always at fault, he has had his share of breaking other’s hearts and I really don’t want to see it happen again.” She cast her eyes at me. “Especially to someone who feels so strong about him and their future together.”

“Are you trying to start trouble?”

“Of course not. I’m just trying to give you a heads up. I should have done it once I saw the pattern starting years ago and I didn’t. I think it’s high time I speak up.”

I slowed for the turn into Alex’s neighborhood. “And you chose to tell me instead of your own son?”

“Alex can be difficult to talk to about this stuff.”

I gave a little nod and chewed my bottom lip, steering the SUV down the tree-lined neighborhood. I wasn’t sure how to interpret what she was telling me or her reasons for it. And I didn’t know how much, if any, of it I should believe. Maybe she was just spinning tales to freak me out, or trying to stir up trouble, or she was trying to break us up for whatever sick reasons she may have. Or maybe she was being completely honest with me. Whatever the case, I needed to talk to Alex. And I needed to do it soon.

~*~*~*~*~

“Penny for your thoughts?”

I glanced back from where I’d been watching the waves crash upon the shore of the beach down below Alex’s deck to find him standing in the doorway. “Hey.”

“Hey.” He moved out onto the deck and shut the door behind him. “You alright?”

I gave a little nod and smoothed my hands over the top of the railing. “Yeah, are you?” It was after dinner and I had escaped out to the balcony for some fresh air while Denise and Alex cleared the table.

After dropping Denise off at Alex’s, I had escaped to work for the rest of the afternoon and didn’t arrive back to his place until nearly seven. They’d been keeping dinner warm and we’d sat around the table talking about the different things going on in our lives. Nothing too serious, but a little bit more than usual small talk. I had tried to join in on the conversation, but the entire time all I could think about was if Denise had said anything to her son. Or if what she had told me was really true. And then, how was I going to bring it up to Alex. Or if I even should. Maybe I just needed to forget it ever occurred and continue on with my life in a merry little way. Yes, that sounded like a wonderful idea.

“Yeah, I’m good.” He moved closer then reached and smoothed his hands down my arms, turning me to face him. “But you’ve been awfully quiet tonight.”

I gave a little shrug. “I’ve been letting you and your mom catch up.”

“Oh.” He gave a nod then pulled me closer to his chest, his large hands smoothing around to my back. “Is that all?”

“Mmhmm.” I slipped my arms around his waist and hugged him close.

“Okay.” He kissed the top of my head before resting his cheek against it.
We were quiet for a few minutes, letting the sound of the ocean below fill the silence in the air around us.

“You’d tell me if something was wrong, right?” He finally spoke up, pulling back enough to see into my face.

I couldn’t meet his eyes, instead directing my gaze to the middle of his forehead. “Of course.”

I knew by the crease lines in his forehead that he didn’t believe me. And inside, I was struggling with rather to talk to him about it or not. I needed to, that much I knew, but I also knew the setting was important and having a serious conversation about our relationship and his mother with her on the other side of the door was not something I wanted to do.

“I’m fine, baby.” I reached and smoothed my hand over his cheek. “I’ve just had a long day and I’m a little tired.”

“I’m sorry.” He took my hands in his. “Long day at work?”

“Yeah, I had three showings today on top of some problems with the bank with one of my clients, and I had to get your mom, thankfully her flight wasn’t late.”

“Sounds like you could use a nice, warm bath.” He pulled me to his chest again. “Maybe some bubbles, soothing music, chocolates.”

I sighed at his suggestion and could already feel myself melting. “That sounds so nice.”

“Let’s go upstairs and I’ll run you a bath. Maybe even get in with you.”

I pulled back and smoothed my shirt some. “What about your mom?”

He drew me back to his chest, his lips locating my ear and nibbling gently at the lobe. “She’s a grown woman; she can find something to entertain herself with for a couple hours.”

I chuckled. “I know, but I’d feel weird knowing your mom was right downstairs.”

“So does that mean I won’t be getting lucky tonight?” His hands smoothed to my rear and gave it a firm squeeze.

“Probably.” I peeked to his face. “What if she hears us?”

“Then you’re just gonna have to make sure you stay quiet.”

I laughed at that. “I can stay quiet by not doing anything.”

“Aww,” he gave a little pout, “and here I was looking forward to some hot loving tonight.”

“I’m sorry.” I kissed his mouth gently.

“Does this mean there won’t be anything going on until my mom leaves?”

I pulled back and gave his arm a squeeze. “I just don’t think I can do anything while she’s here. Knowing she’s right down the hall and could hear us, or come knock on the door while we’re in the middle of something. I’d be so embarrassed.”

He chuckled; his arm smoothing back around me and not letting me escape from him. “I can’t go a whole week without you, baby.”

That made me want to giggle. “Well,” I smoothed my hands over his sides then around to his chest, “I’m sure we could figure something out.”

“Oh, like what?” He lifted his brows.

“I don’t know.” I gave a slight shrug. “Maybe we go to my place one day, or if your mom happens to go out somewhere sometime.”

“Baby, I love the way you think.” A grin spread over his face and he hugged me close to him.

“We’ll just have to get creative.”

“Oh, I can definitely do that.” He began nibbling at my ear again, tracing the lobe with his tongue. “In fact, I could get creative right here, right now.” His hands began making their way to my rear again.

“Alex,” I laughed and pulled back, glancing towards the French doors and into the house, “we can’t do anything out here.”

He laughed and glanced towards the house then back to me. “We could go down to the beach.”

I chuckled and shook my head, reaching for his hand and starting for the door. “Let’s go back inside. This is her first night here and I’m sure she wants to spend some more time with you.”

He relented and let me lead him back to the doors and insides. “Alright, but I’m thinking tomorrow after work, you make a stop by your place before heading on to mine.”

I laughed low and shut the door securely behind him. “We’ll see.”

He kissed my head then gave my butt a squeeze. “Your place; six sharp. Then we’ll take my mom out to dinner after.”

I took his hand into mine and headed for the family room where I could hear the television going. “It’s a date.” Actually, that would work out perfectly. Tomorrow at my place we could have the conversation about what his mom and I discussed. Hopefully, he wouldn’t be too upset that there wasn’t any ‘hot loving’ going on. Only one way to find out.

Chapter Forty-Five by summer
Author's Notes:
Thank you guys so much for the awesome feedback! It really helped me get motivated for the next chapter. I really appreciate it! Hope you enjoy this one!

 

“His mom hates me,” the words spilled from my mouth the minute Dianne joined me at the corner table in the quiet little restaurant. It was Wednesday noontime and I had called her to meet me. I needed to vent and try to get my thoughts organized before my conversation with Alex tonight. Dianna was one of the best people to help me with that. She was always upfront and honest, and could look at things without a biased opinion.

“Well, hello to you, too.”

I sighed and leaned forward over the table. “Hi, I’m sorry, but it’s been on my mind since I picked her up from the airport.”

“What happened?” She set her handbag onto an empty chair and scooted hers closer to the table.

I slouched back in my seat. “It was horrible. From the get go she did nothing but look down on me and tell me that Alex goes through women faster than the line at a fast food restaurant.”

Dianna’s brows lifted. “Are you serious?”

“Yes.” I shook my head some. “And then she started going on about how Alex has commitment issues and that she doesn’t think we’ll work out. That he always feels the same about every girl and that she’s telling me this cuz she thinks it’s time she speaks up. She’s watched him break hearts and get his heart broken too many times.”

My friend frowned, a crease appearing in her forehead. “And do you believe all that?”

“I don’t know. I don’t know what his past relationships were like other than a lot of his exes tried to use him to gain fame. And I have no idea if he has commitment issues. He doesn’t seem to have any with us. He even wanted us to move in together.”

“Which you’ve decided to hold off on for now.”

“Right.” I gave a firm nod. “I think we need to develop our relationship a bit more first.”

“I understand that. You’re still dealing with issues of your own and I think you both need a very firm grip on your relationship before taking any major steps.”

“Exactly,” I agreed with her.

“Okay, how ‘bout we get our lunch ordered before you go into more detail with this mama drama,” my friend suggested as she reached for her menu.

That suited me and we took a few minutes to decide on our lunch before placing the order.

After the waiter had headed off, Dianna sipped on her Mimosa and settled back into her chair. “Okay, so start at the beginning.”

So I did, and over the course of our salads and sandwiches, I relayed the conversation that had transpired between Denise and me.

“Well, obviously you’re going to tell Alex about this,” my friend stated after I had finished and was sipping on my iced tea.

“Of course. Tonight in fact.”

“Do you think she was telling the truth?”

“I don’t know what to believe.” I wiped my mouth and set the napkin on the table.

Dianna gave a shrug. “Maybe she’s one of those moms who can’t let her baby boy go.”

I lifted a brow. “You mean like the kind that is never happy with the women he dates?”

“Yes, exactly.”

I sighed some. “I really hope not. Alex and I are going to be together for…well, for a long, long time and I don’t want there to be any bad blood between his mother and me.”

“How do you think he’ll react to this news about his mom?”

That wasn’t something I had figured out yet. “I really don’t know. I know he thinks the world of his mom and I don’t want to paint her like an evil villain. But I want to tell him the truth.”

Dianna nodded sympathetically. “Well, maybe you don’t tell him everything she’s said. Maybe you just…voice to him that she has some concerns about your relationship withstanding the test of time.”

I gave a little nod. “That might work. The last thing I need is him going and telling her I told him what she said.”

“That’s very true. You’d probably have an enemy for life.”

I pursed my lips and looked over to my friend. “Do you think I should talk to her again?”

“I think,” she began as she tore her last breadstick in half, “that you should talk to Alex first. See what he has to say and in no way make it sound like his mom is the bad person. You don’t want to put him on the defense.”

“You’re right.” I gave a nod and picked at the crust of my sandwich. “What if it turns out she just doesn’t like me?”

Dianna reached across the table and gave my hand a squeeze. “Then you just be grateful that she lives on the other side of the country.”

~*~*~*~*~

I arrived at my house at 6:01 pm. Alex vehicle wasn’t there yet so I collected my mail then let myself in through the front door. Daisy was still staying with us at Alex’s, but this would be a good time to get some more of her dog food and a few more of her toys. When the time came for me to finally come back home full time, it was going to be painstakingly hard to separate her from Bernie. That was something I was not looking forward to.

After sorting through my mail and getting myself a glass of iced tea, I glanced to the clock to see it was nearly a quarter after six. Hopefully nothing too pertinent was keeping my boyfriend. I wasn’t sure what he was going to tell his mom his excuse for taking off for a little while was, but I had faith he’d come up with something she would be okay with.

Moving from the kitchen and into the living room, I peeked out the front window but still didn’t see either one of Alex’s vehicles. Hopefully he was okay and nothing had happened; ever since the night of Hugh’s accident, I tended to get leery whenever someone was late arriving. And sometimes I let my imagination get the best of me.

With a sigh, I let the curtains drop and turned from the window, giving a shriek and jerking back from the figure that loomed before me.

Andrew.

What the hell? Where had he come from? How had he gotten in here? Was I dreaming again? I had to be. Quickly, I pinched myself. “Ouch.” Nope, definitely not a dream.

“I figured I’d find you here.”

Inside my chest, I could feel my heart pounding against my ribcage. “Wh…uh…how…”

His lips curled into a sneer. “How’d I get in here?” A shrug. “You left the door unlocked after you came in.”

Damnit. Slowly, I backed away from him. “The…police are you looking for you.” I needed to get out of the house and fast.

“Do you think I really care?” He advanced on me. “I’ve been waiting for you to show up here alone for days.”

That made me frown. “What is wrong with you?! You used to be a really nice and decent guy. And now you’re a psycho!”

His eyes darkened. “I’m not a psycho.”

“Then why are you acting this way? Attacking me? Running from the police?”

“People make mistakes.” He gave a shrug then took another step closer. “I’m just trying to make amends.”

“Breaking into my house is not making amends.” I eyed him with caution, trying to gauge the distance between him and me and myself and the doorway.

Andrew shook his head. “I didn’t break in. You left the door unlocked. I simply walked in.”

“Yeah, uninvited.” I took another step backwards.

He gave a shrug. “Just a slight oversight.”

With a frustrated sigh, I rubbed my head and slowly eased back a little more. “What do you want, Andrew?”

“To be friends,” He spoke it so casually, but his eyes simmered with something darker.

“After you attacked me?” I shook my head. “I don’t think so. I do think you need to leave, though.”

“I’m not going anywhere.” He folded his thick arms across his chest.

I frowned. “What are you gonna do? Just stand right there until I decide to be friends? That’s not gonna happen. You lost your chance when you went all crazy on me.”

“Because of you. You lead me on; you made me believe there was more there than there was.”

“No!” I frowned at him. “I told you from the very beginning I just wanted to be friends. I already apologized and explained that whole mess back in Connecticut.”

Andrew’s eyes narrowed at me. “And now you refuse to be that.”

“Because you attacked me!”

“If you weren’t such an uptight bitch that wouldn’t have happened.”

I scoffed at him, feeling the anger boiling in my veins. “So now this is my fault?” A beat. “Why are we even discussing this? I want you to leave.” I pointed towards the entryway.

“I told you, I’m not leaving.” He said it so simply, giving a shrug of a shoulder.

“Fine. You stay and I’ll leave!” I gave a frustrated growl and started for the doorway.

It was then that he moved, lunging forward and grabbing my upper arm, swiftly and with a firm grip. “Oh, you’re not going anywhere.”

I jerked to a stop and frowned at him. “Let me go!”

“I don’t think so.” He pulled me closer, causing me to stumble a step.

“Andrew!” Panic was starting to rise up in my chest again and I tried to pull my arm loose.

Just then, Daisy tore into the room, pausing only a moment before the hair on the back of her neck stood up straight and a low growl came from her throat.

Relief washed through me as I realized Alex had arrived and brought Daisy and probably Bernie with him.

“What the hell…” Andrew looked confused, obviously wondering where the dog had come from.

Taking that opportunity, I pulled away from him and hurried over to where my dog was now snarling at him. “Daisy.”

But she ignored me and instead, advanced slowly on Andrew, giving a sudden bark then lunging at him.

“Daisy!” I started for her, afraid that she’d rip his throat out.

Andrew gave a shout as she jumped at him, his eyes wide with fear.

But Daisy didn’t attack him, instead, with each lunge; she slowly backed him into a corner. Then she snarled at him, her back rigid and teeth showing, keeping him in place.

I watched with awe, never having seen her be so protective before. Then I blinked and snapped back to focus. Alex was somewhere, Daisy seemed to be holding Andrew at bay and I needed to call the police.

“Get this dog away from me!”

I snatched up the phone and glanced over to where Andrew was pressed against the wall. “Not until the cops arrive.” Quickly, I punched in 911 and relayed to the dispatcher that I was in need of some assistance.

“Morgan, I’m not going to hurt you.” He called to me after I had hung up.

But I didn’t get a chance to respond because Alex sauntered into the room and stopped short at the sight before him. “What the hell…”

“Alex.” I started for him.

He blinked and surveyed Andrew and Daisy, his eyes darkening. “What the fuck are you doing here?”

“Alex.” I reached him and touched his arm. “The cops are on the way and Daisy’s not letting him go anywhere.”

“What is he doing here?” His eyes met mine and softened.

“He showed up just after I got here. I left the door unlocked and he let himself in.”

His glare sharpened as he looked back over to the unwanted visitor. “What is your problem?!”
Andrew frowned and tried to take a step forward, quickly pressing against the wall once more as Daisy gave a menacing bark.

“Just stay there,” I told him before taking Alex’s arm and guiding him a few steps back. “The cops are on their way; let’s just let them handle it.”

My boyfriend gave a sigh and rubbed the back of his neck. “I know. It’s just taking all my control not to go over there and clock him.”

“I know.” I smoothed my hand over his back, feeling how tense his muscles were.

It wasn’t but another few minutes before the police arrived and relieved Daisy of her guard dog duties. They cuffed Andrew then took our statements. After promising to be in touch, they finally headed on their way.

After seeing them out and locking up securely behind them, I found Alex in the kitchen making up some coffee.

“You alright?” I questioned, coming up behind him and wrapping my arms around his waist.

“I’m okay, baby, are you?” He peered back to me. “I’m sorry I wasn’t here on time. None of this would have happened.”

“Maybe, maybe not.” I gave him a squeeze then released him and leaned against the counter next to his side. “It might have been worse. You two could have beaten each other to a bloody pulp.”

Alex gave a snort. “I woulda beat him to one.”

I watched him fit the filter into the coffee pot. “So, let’s talk about something else. Where does your mom think you went?”

“I told her I was taking the dogs out.” He glanced to me then pushed the start button on the front of the machine before turning and leaning back against the counter like I was. “Which is the truth.”

I gave a chuckle and peered up outside the window to the backyard. Daisy and Bernie were relaxing in the sun, their paws over the other as if they were holding hands. “Bernie looks like he’s doing a lot better.”

“Thank God,” Alex mused from my side. “I should be hearing back from the vet any day now on the latest tests they did on Tuesday.”

“Good.” I gave a little nod then pushed from the counter and moved to the cabinet, taking out a glass.

“So, how do you feel about taking my mom out to dinner tonight?”

I filled the glass with ice from the door of the refrigerator. “Where do you want to go?”

“I was thinking Koi. She really likes that place.”

“Sure, that sounds nice.” I opened the fridge and took out the iced tea.

“Are you alright, baby?” I couldn’t tell if he picked up the vibe I was giving off on not being too eager to go, or if it was something else, but he must have sensed something was off.

I poured myself some tea and looked back over to him. This was it. It was now or never. “Actually, there’s something I wanted to talk to you about.”

My boyfriend tilted his head. “What’s that?”

I placed the tea back in the fridge and took up my glass, turning to face him and lean against the counter across the way. “It’s about your mom.”

His brows lifted. “What about her?”

“Well,” I wet my bottom lip, feeling the pulse in my neck start to throb, “the day that I picked her up from the airport, we had a conversation in the car…and…” I could now hear the pounding of my heart in my ears, “she voiced some concerns about our relationship.”

He frowned. “What concerns?”

I fiddled with the glass in my hands. “About rather or not we’d last.”

“What? What did she say about that?” He pushed himself to stand straight.

I gave a sigh. I didn’t want to seem like a tattletale, but he needed to know. “Well, for starters, she pretty much told me I better never break your heart.”

The corner of his mouth curved up into a grin. “She’s very protective of me.”

Maybe just a little too much, but I didn’t voice that out loud. “Yes, she is.”

He chuckled and moved over to me, taking the glass from my hands and setting it aside before pulling me into his arms. “I’m sorry if my mom came across as a little rough. She’s all I’ve had for many years and sometimes it’s hard for her to see me so happy with someone.”

“Well, she needs to get used to it because I’m not going anywhere.” ‘And she’s just going to have to accept that.’ I added mentally.

“She will, baby.” He kissed my head. “She just has gotten so cautious about my girlfriends, because so many of them have been with me for the wrong reasons. It’s hard to break the habit.”

I gave a nod, hugging him close then pulling back to see his face. “I understand that and I’m sure your mom has nothing but the best of intentions when it comes to you, but she really needs to just step back and let things happen naturally instead of trying to speed the process with feeding me information about your history with previous girlfriends or rather or not you have commitment issues.”

He frowned. “She said I have commitment issues?”

Oops. I gave a small shrug and fiddled with his shirt. “She might have hinted at that.”

With a frustrated sigh, Alex pulled away from me and crossed back over to the coffee pot. I watched as he took a mug from the cabinet and poured himself a cup of the black java. Stirring in some sugar, he set the spoon in the sink then moved to the bar and slid onto a stool.

Staying in my spot, I bit my bottom lip then spoke softly, “Alex?”

“I can’t believe she would say something like that to you!” He finally exploded after a moment.

I jerked back at the ferocity in his tone, feeling my chest starting to tighten. “She…she’s just concerned.” For some out of this world reason I was now finding myself defending her.

“What else did she say?” His eyes met mine and I could see the anger in them.

“That…that’s about it,” I lied, thinking it was best to just drop this whole thing.

“Are you sure?”

I gave a nod.

“Good, because I don’t have commitment issues.”

“I know, baby.” I approached the counter then slipped around it to where he sat. Gently, I smoothed my hand over his back and kissed his shoulder. “Everything’s going to be okay. Your mom was just being the protective mother and making sure that I was with you for the right reasons and that I really did love you.”

He nodded and took a sip of his coffee. “Right. And you are and you do.”

“So everything’s just fine.” I smoothed my hands to his shoulders and worked the tight muscles there. “And I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to upset you.”

“No, it’s not your fault.” He reached a hand back and caught one of mine, bringing it to his mouth for a kiss. “I’m glad that you talk to me about these things. We need to be completely open and honest with each other.”

“Of course.” Wrapping my arms gently around his neck, I kissed his ear and tried to ignore the guilt of not being completely honest with him. But for the sake of the relationship, sometimes you couldn’t be as honest as you wanted to be. And on behalf of his relationship with his mother, I was going to just keep mum about our conversation. Sometimes you needed to pick and choose your battles and this was not one I was choosing. If there was one thing his mom and I could agree on was that Alex did seem difficult to talk to about these things. But was it really all that big a deal? We were together, we were going to stay together and his mom did live on the other side of the country.

Giving his ear another kiss, I slowly pulled back. “Alright, if we’re going to Koi I need to go pick out a dress to wear. I don’t think I have anything nice at your place other then some business skirts.”

“Ooh, do let me help you.” Then he abandoned his coffee and followed me up the stairs.

Once in the bedroom, Alex didn’t even give me a chance to make it to the closet before he was gripping my hips and pushing me against the closed bedroom door. His mouth crashed down on mine and his hands fumbled with the buttons on my work blouse.

I gave a groan and encircled my arms around him, dueling my tongue with his and melting a little bit as his heat filled me.

“Damnit, Morgan,” he growled out against my mouth before pulling back and yanking the blouse from me. Then came my pants followed by my underwear and bra. “You’re so fucken beautiful,” he breathed out as his eyes, smoldering with heat, raked over my naked form.

I shivered at the tone in his voice, reaching for his shirt and helping him get undressed as well. “So are you.” I pulled him to me once he was as bare skinned as me and kissed him, molding my hands to his back.

His own hands stroked over my body as he kissed me like he was trying to draw the very breath from my soul. Then he was gripping my hips and lifting me up against the wall, coaxing my legs around his waist.

When he entered me, I felt tiny explosions tickling through and tore my mouth from his to cry out. I held to him tightly, feeling his thrusts push me against the wall. Tremors began to rock me and I squeezed my legs on him, needing to feel him more deeply, needing to feel him surrounding me and possessing me, needing to feel him in the very depths of my soul.

He must have felt that same way, for he held tightly to my body, stroking faster and faster, finding that soft spot just above my collarbone and delivering those sharp, but intoxicating, love bites. Then he was making his way to my ear, his breath hot and sending goosebumps racing down my back.

I groaned his name, trying to pull him closer, feeling my heart pounding hard against my chest. It was as if an unseen force was propelling us forward, into a frenzy as our sounds grew and our actions intensified.

“Morgan,” he managed out, his face just inches from mine.

“God, baby,” I responded in a breathless whisper, smoothing a hand to his cheek and closing the distance between us to kiss his mouth.

He responded with a fiery growl from deep in his chest and pushed us out there farther, his tongue sweeping into my mouth to meet my own.

Kissing Alex was one of the best feelings in the world. He always tasted like mints with a hint of cigarettes or coffee. And he knew how to kiss, just like he knew how to sex me up. He could tug me under in a heartbeat and I never knew what way was up or down. Like this very moment when I was lost in him, being drawn closer and closer to that sweet release, exactly where I wanted to be.

And that’s exactly what happened moments later, spiraling us both out there into that abyss of ecstasy. It crashed around us, burning through our veins and filling our souls to the point we couldn’t breathe. And then, when you’re at that place where you feel it won’t ever end, and your lungs are screaming for air, your skin is flushed and damp and for a quick instant you think you just might pass out, you finally drift back down to the ground.

“Shit…” Alex rasped out as he held me tight to his body, his arms trembling around me.

“Mmhmm,” was all I could manage, my chest heaving against his. I felt like a puddle of goo that could just melt right through the floor.

“You alright?” He nipped at my jaw then looked to my face.

I gave a nod, taking some slow breaths and working on regaining control of my senses.

“Mm good.” He smoothed a hand over my thigh then gently set my feet back down on the ground. “You got it?”

I felt my legs wavering some, but managed to stay standing. “Yeah, I’m good.”

“Mmm good.” He leaned in and kissed my neck, his hand slipping around to my butt.

I giggled low, gently pushing him back. “We have to get dressed and go get your mom; we don’t have time for round two.”

“Damn, I forgot about that.” He sighed and dropped his forehead to mine.

“Aww.” I kissed his lips then slipped away from him…grabbing for my fallen clothes. “Get a move on it, McLean, we don’t have all night.”

“Yeah, yeah, I’m coming.” He scooped up his shirt then snapped me in the butt with it. “And tonight, there’s definitely going to be a round two.”

I jerked and gave a squeal. “Ooh hoo, mister, you just think so.”

“Oh, no, baby,” he sent me his ever sexy smirk, “I know so.”

Chapter Forty-Six by summer
Author's Notes:
Thanks guys for all the feedback! It really motivated me to churn out another chp so quickly! hehe, you all are great and I hope you'll keep reading and giving me your thoughts!

 

The next few days passed uneventfully except for what was going on with Andrew. He had been arrested and charged with breaking the temporary restraining order, breaking and entering, stalking, and aggravated assault. A pretty hefty list and with the judge declaring him a flight risk for his case of MIA the past few days, he was not allowed out on bond. That made me feel pretty good and so I was able to sail through the rest of the week without any plaguing nightmares. Except for the one when I was awake; Alex’s mother.

I tried to smile and be happy whenever I was around her, but it was getting just a little bit harder each time. If it wasn’t the looks, it was her snide little comments she’d mutter under her breath. For some reason I just could not figure out, she did not like me and wasn’t even going to try to. I don’t know if Alex knew what was going on, for she could pretend better than anyone; the woman deserved an Oscar. If he did, he didn’t act it and never brought it up. Just like he never brought up the conversation we’d had in my house following Andrew’s arrest. And I was confident that was the one piece of information he hadn’t told his mom, because Lord knows he tells her everything else. It was as if the conversation had never taken place.

It put me a position I wasn’t sure I liked. Did I just keep on pretending like Denise and I were the best of chums, or did I face up to the fact that she couldn’t stand the sight of me? I didn’t want to create any ripples between mother and son, but I didn’t know how long I could keep quiet for. It did help that with Andrew in jail, I could return to my own home, which I promptly did. And I busied myself with work. The end of June was sneaking up on us faster than we realized and I was still in the top two of the contest. Each week it varied between Dixon and Anna for the other spot. Looked like it was going to be a tight finish.

“Baby, can you pass me the hot sauce?”

It was Saturday evening and I was seated on Alex’s patio with him and Denise, enjoying a meal of freshly grilled chicken, potato salad and baked beans. I had put off this dinner for two days now, hoping Alex would finally let it drop, but he didn’t. And so I was wrangled into spending Saturday evening with his mother, who I’m sure was enjoying it as much as myself.

“Sure, hon.” I reached for the thin bottle and passed it over to my boyfriend.

“Thank you.” He grinned at me then began pouring an ungodly amount atop of his already seasoned chicken. Remind me not to kiss him later. Returning to my own plate, things were quiet for a few moments before his mother decided to speak up.

“So, I have some news.”

We both looked over to her, our curiosity peaked.

She watched between the two of us before giving a wide grin and reaching for her water glass. “I’m going to be staying another week! Isn’t that wonderful?”

I nearly dropped my fork, quickly recovering and shoving the bite of salad on it into my mouth, the less I had to say the better.

“Mom, that’s great!” Alex beamed at her then leaned and kissed her cheek. “What brought this on?”

“Oh, I don’t know,” she reached over and patted his leg, “I was just thinking about how I don’t get to see you very often and thought one more week won’t hurt anything.”

“No, that’s great.” He looked over to me then back to his mother. “Maybe Morgan can take some time off that week and we can all three go out of town together somewhere.”

“Oh, I…don’t know if I can,” the words spilled from my mouth before I even realized it.

Two sets of eyes met mine. “Why not?” My boyfriend questioned with a crease in his forehead.

I quickly grabbed at straws. “Well, you know that it’s the last few weeks of the contest and I have such a huge work load. I’ve really taken on a lot of clients these last few days and I just don’t think I can take any time off. When real estate’s moving, you gotta get in there and get what you can.”

“Well, that’s alright,” Denise spoke up from across from me. “You and I can go, Alex. I’m not too busy to take a few days and go on a trip with my son.” She smiled warmly at him then looked back to me, causing a chill to run down my spine at the expression in her gaze. “It’s such a shame really that people can get so involved in their work they forget about what they have at home.” Then she turned back to her food, her tone sounding somewhat casual. “Alex tells me the people in your office are pretty tight knit.”

I blinked, trying to register what had just happened. Was she taking digs at me? Glancing to my boyfriend, I saw he hadn’t seemed to pick up on any of that. “Actually, we are.”

“Oh yeah? You go out with them a lot?”

I shrugged, eyeing her carefully and wondering where she was taking this. “Sometimes.”

“Alex,” she turned to look at her son, “have you ever joined them?”

He shook his head, taking a sip from his water glass before setting it back on the table. “I haven’t. But I did go out with one of her girlfriends from the office and her husband. He’s a pretty cool guy.”

I smiled at him, feeling all warm inside. He was so precious.

“Heh, that’s kinda weird. Don’t you think?” This time she cast her eyes back my way. “You two have been dating awhile now and yet, you haven’t joined Morgan when she’s been out with her work buddies.”

I hadn’t touched my food again since Denise had started this….charade, or whatever the hell it was she was doing. “How is that weird? I don’t go out with them very often.”

But she brushed me off. “Didn’t you say there was a guy that was vying for that contest spot…what was his name again?”

When had she heard me talk about that? Must have been one evening when I was telling Alex about my day. “Dixon,” I supplied her, eying her like I knew she was up to something.

“That’s right, Dixon!” She snapped her fingers. “So, if you win this contest, you and Dixon will jet off to Hawaii together for the weekend, huh?”

And suddenly I knew what the little trick up her sleeve and been. “Actually, that’s only if he wins.” Then I smirked at her. “And if I win, I plan on taking Alex with me.” Score one for the girlfriend.

“Oh, right of course. And then will you leave him at the hotel while you go out on the town with your coworker?” She arched a brow at me.

“Mom!” Alex frowned over at his mother.

“I’m sorry, dear,” she patted his arm, “but I just don’t think its right that Morgan hasn’t accepted you into all aspects of her life.”

“She has let me into all aspects of her life. So what she doesn’t bring me along when she hangs out with her coworkers, that’s her thing and I don’t mind it one bit.”

I could have leaned over and planted one on my boyfriend. Instead, I just smirked over in his mom’s direction.

“Good, I’m glad, dear.” She leaned over and kissed his cheek. “I’m glad you’re so accepting of that. I know some wouldn’t be.”

“You know, Mrs. Solis,” I started as I gathered my plate and glass, rising from the table, “you are being incredibly rude to me.” Then I turned and headed through the open French doors and into the house.

Alex joined me in the kitchen a moment later while I was rinsing my plate and loading it into the dishwasher.

“What’s going on with you and my mom?”

I turned to see him standing at the island, his hands flat on the counter. “Your mom hates me.”

“What?” He looked genuinely confused. “She doesn’t hate you.”

“Yes, she does.” I annunciated each word, ending with a slam as I lifted the front of the dishwasher and shut it rather hard. Inside, the dishes rattled, but I didn’t care.

“Morgan, she doesn’t hate you.” He moved around the counter towards me.

I met his gaze. “Yes, she does. Have you been paying attention to what she’s saying to me?” I waved a hand towards the patio.

He shrugged. “She’s just asking questions, getting to know you.”

“No, if she were asking questions to get to know me she’d be saying; so, what kind of books do you read, where do you like to go on vacation? What are your biggest pet peeves? Instead, she’s out there trying to make me look like a bad girlfriend!” I waved my hands wildly about as I spoke, not realizing my voice was growing louder with each word.

“Whoa, okay, baby, okay…let’s take a breath and calm down.” He moved to me and took my hand, rubbing it with both of his. “It’s gonna be okay.”

“No, it’s not.”

“Hey,” he reached and lifted my chin so our eyes met, “yes, it is. You’re getting yourself all worked up over nothing.”

I blinked. “Over nothing?” I pulled my hand from his grasp. “Your mom is out there insulting me, taking digs at me and you call that nothing.”

“Baby, no, that’s not what I’m saying.” He reached for me again.

“I think it is.” I glanced around then moved and grabbed my handbag from where I’d set it when I’d first arrived. “I hope you and your mom enjoy your dinner. I’m out.” Then I stalked for the front door.

“Morgan!” He called after me, but I ignored him and strode to the entry way and my escape.

I made it out onto the porch then to the drive and into my car. Slamming the door, I dropped my purse into the passenger seat and jammed the keys into the ignition. Anger was coursing through my veins and I was grateful that he hadn’t tried to stop me from leaving. I needed to just get away and make some space, take a breather and try to calm myself down. But that was going to be hard to do because all that kept replaying through my head was his voice telling me it was nothing.

With a frustrated growl, I turned around and pulled out of his drive, barely giving the gates at the entrance time to open. I had no idea where I was going to go; I didn’t want to go home and I didn’t want to go unload my problems onto one of my friends. So I would just drive.

And that’s what I did. I started out on the expressway then ended up along the coastline, just cruising along with the windows down and the breeze blowing through my hair. I tried not to think about what had gone down between Alex and me, but I couldn’t help it. That had been our first fight; if one could call it that. We’ve never been angry with each other before and I didn’t like it. No, scratch that, he’d gotten angry at me in Connecticut. This time, he was more shocked and confused. I was the one that was angry.

I hadn’t meant to let it out that way. But at least it’s out there now. I wondered if he’d say anything to his mom. I wondered what he would tell his mom about my taking off. Then my hands gripped the wheel tighter as I thought about how satisfied she would be with that and herself. That nearly sent me in the other direction and back to his place. I needed to figure out how to not let her get to me. A way so we could both coexist in his life peacefully. I would be willing to try, but she had to be as well.

Finally, when the skies had darkened and the air grew chilly, I rolled up the windows and headed back to L.A. and home.

It was late when I pulled into the drive, and after parking the car and gathering my things, I slipped from behind the wheel and headed for the front door.

The figure on the porch caused me to jerk back, a scream dying in my throat when I recognized my boyfriend.

“Hey.” He rose from the chair.

“You scared the crap out of me.” I fumbled with my key ring until I had the house key in my hand. I could feel my heartbeat trying to return back to normal as it pounded against my chest.

“I’m sorry. I was just waiting for you.” He moved back as I approached to let me unlock the front door and get it open.

“Obviously.” It came out sharper then I had intended, but I didn’t apologize. Instead, I just headed into the house and dropped my belongings onto the table there by the door. I had tried to let all the anger seep out of me in the car, but I guess I hadn’t gotten it all out.

Alex ignored that and followed me into the house, closing the door securely behind us. “We need to talk.”

I slipped my shoes off and strode for the living room. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to talk quite yet.

“Morgan!” He followed me, stepping down into the living room and placing his hands on his sides.

I looked to him. “I left your place because I didn’t want to talk anymore.”

“Well, I came over here because I do.”

I struggled with relenting or replying with some smart ass comment. Finally, I did neither and just sank down onto the couch.

“Baby,” he joined me and took my hand, sitting with one leg tucked under the other and facing me, “what’s going on?”

The snappy reply was on the tip of my tongue, but the minute I met those soul stirring eyes watching me with such concern, love and worry, it died away. “I don’t think your mom likes me,” I heard my voice tremble some and bit my bottom lip to keep myself in check.

“What makes you say that?”

I used my free hand to rub my forehead. “You can’t get all mad or upset or offended with what I tell you, okay?”

He just gave a nod, holding my hand against his cheek and watching me.

“Good.” Wetting my bottom lip, I continued, “That day I picked her up from the airport, she was nothing but short, snappy and rude to me. The entire way to your place all she talked about was how I was going to break your heart, how we weren’t going to last, that I wasn’t the one for you. Then she started going on about how you always get like this with girls and then it never works out. And that you’ve broken hearts, but had yours broken and she’s always been the only one you can trust.” I took a second to gauge his reactions, but he was just watching me and letting me get it out.

So I did. “Then she told me that you have serious commitment issues and that you let yourself get close and things are great for awhile, but then suddenly it’s over. I asked her why she was telling me this and she just said that she thought it was time she spoke up. She’d seen it happening too many times and wanted to let me know what I was getting myself in to.” I tilted my head. “And she said that sometimes it’s hard to talk to you about it.”

Alex gave a sigh after I’d finished. He shifted so he was sitting correctly on the couch and leaned forward, resting his forearms onto his legs.

Hesitantly, I reached over and smoothed my hand over his back.

He was quiet for a moment before turning his head to look at me. “She really said all that?”

I gave a nod then leaned over and pressed a kiss to his shoulder. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s not your fault, baby.” He leaned back and took my hands again. “I appreciate that you told me this.”

“I didn’t want to hide it from you, but I didn’t want to cause any problems between you and your mom.”

“I know.” He kissed my palms then leaned forward and brushed his lips softly over mine.

I leaned into his touch with a sigh, nibbling at his lips and just savoring his taste.

We kissed for a few moments, slow and intoxicating kisses that made your heart race and blood boil. Finally, before either of us could forget the conversation at hand, I pulled back and touched his cheek. “I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

I smiled and took his hand, pressing my lips to his knuckles then holding his hand to my cheek.

“I’m sorry my mom talked to you like that,” he spoke after a moment. “She really is trying to look out for me. For a long time it was just the two of us.”

“I know, baby, and I get that. But it just seemed like she has no faith in you that you can handle your own relationships.”

“Maybe that’s because I haven’t always been able to.” He blew a puff of air from his lips and sat back from me. “I really have chosen the wrong women to date over the years and she’s so used to that, that whenever she meets someone new she goes into protective mode automatically. I think time is going to be the only thing to prove to her that what we have is real.”

I watched him. “So, until she comes to her senses and sees that I’m not going anywhere and that we’re both happy, she’s going to behave this way?”

“I’ll talk to her. I’ll tell her that she really can’t talk to you that way and that you’re not the women of my past, but it’s just going to be the time that shows her that.”

“That sucks.” I frowned and sank back into the couch.

“I know, and I’m so sorry.” He reached out and pulled me to him. “But she’s going to see how wonderful you are and how good you are for me in no time. It won’t take her long to come around.”

I guess it wouldn’t be so bad to be around her if he talked to her and it helped. “Alright, and I’m sorry for blowing up at you earlier. I just don’t like it when someone judges me or us. No one else knows what’s going on with us or what is good or not, or how long we’re going to last.”

“I get that, and I agree. We’re the only ones that know exactly how well our relationship is working.”

I nodded and peeked to him. “And you have to quit telling her every little detail.”

Alex blinked. “What?”

“About us. She knows about like…everything.” I sat back some to see his face better.

“We just talk. I’m just telling her what’s going on in my life.”

“I know, but …it just makes me uncomfortable to know that she knows that we were thinking about living together, and why we decided not to, or how many times a week we make love.”

“Baby,” he chuckled and grabbed at the hand I was motioning with, “I don’t tell my mom how often I have sex. And she only knows about the other stuff because sometimes she’s my sounding board. I bounce ideas off her and get her opinions.”

Oh boy. “And she thought it was a good idea to move in together.”

He chuckled again and lifted my wrist to his mouth, placing soft kisses along the skin. “I didn’t say I listened to her.”

“What was her reasoning for not moving in together?” Cuz I was sure it didn’t have anything to do with me being ready for it.

“That I didn’t know you well enough. You might turn out to be some crazed psycho.” He spoke against my skin so I couldn’t see his mouth, but his eyes were twinkling with amusement.

“Oh yeah?” Slowly, I withdrew my arm and took a hold of his shirt, drawing him to me. “And what if you turned out to be the crazed psycho?”

“Baby, I’m just crazed about you.” He closed the distance between us with a searing, mind blowing kiss.

“And,” he announced after he’d finally pulled back and stood from the couch, scooping me up into his arms. “I’m going to stay here tonight and show you just how crazed for you I am, even if it takes me all night to do.”

I giggled at that and kissed his ear, wrapping my arms around his neck. “I love you.”

He grinned at me then kissed my forehead and started for the stairs. “I love you, too.”

Chapter Forty-Seven by summer
Author's Notes:
Thank you for all your wonderful feedback, I really appreciate it! I've got some great ideas going on and I hope you'll keep on with me and continue to give me your thoughts! Thanks again!

 

I didn’t get a chance to see Denise again for the next few days. On Sunday, Anna and I went shopping while the men played golf, then we met up for a nice brunch at the country club and spend the afternoon at the private lake the Sawyer’s house was bordering. It was a nice and relaxing day and I was pleased to see that Greg and Alex seemed to really be getting along. They even agreed to get together again sometime soon.

Monday was the hearing for the restraining order. It turned out that neither Alex nor I had to go. With Andrew in jail and pleading no contest, the lawyers were able to handle the hearing efficiently. The judge had plenty of evidence to issue a permanent restraining order, though no one had any idea when, or if, Andrew would be getting out of jail. That suited me just fine. So instead, I spent the day showing houses, meeting with clients and on the phone with the banks.

Alex called to tell me about the judge’s decision a split second after his lawyer did, but I didn’t get to talk to him again until after I got home late that night. And then Tuesday I was once again back in the office, hunched over my desk and trying to get some appointments set up so they didn’t overlap and gave me plenty of time between each one to prepare for the next.

“Morgan, you have a visitor.”

I glanced to my phone as the voice of the receptionist came through the speaker part, then lifted my eyes towards the entrance and felt my heart taking a dive into my toes. Denise Solis was heading right for me.

“Morgan!” She exclaimed with a smile as she finally reached my desk, clutching the strap to the purse that hung over her shoulder.

I stared at her, wondering if she’d come to berate me some more, or find out who Dixon was or to introduce herself to all of my coworkers. “Um…Mrs. Solis…”

“Please, I told you to call me Denise.”

I slowly sat back in my chair. “Denise… I…wh…what are you doing here?” I shifted my eyes around to see people watching us, wondering who the newcomer was.

“I wanted to take you to lunch.” She smiled at me, her eyes twinkling.

Was this the same woman who three days ago had thrown insults at me? “Lunch?”

“Yes,” she nodded her head and glanced around the office then back to me. “Do you have time? Alex said you usually take lunch about this time.” She glanced to her watch then back to me.

“Well, um…I do…” But I wasn’t entirely comfortable with the idea of lunch with Denise. I wasn’t in the mood today for more of her mind games.

“Good, then let’s go; my treat.” She waved her hand for me to follow then started for the front.

Looked like she wasn’t giving me a choice in the matter. With a sigh, I pulled my handbag from the bottom drawer of my desk then followed after her.

We made it outside and she led me to Alex’s SUV, moving around to the driver’s side and climbing in. I joined her and she steered the vehicle from the parking lot and into the street.

“So, where would you like to eat?”

I glanced over to her. “Um, doesn’t matter. Did you have anywhere specific in mind?”

“No, but I do remember there being a nice little café somewhere around here.” She scanned the area, maneuvering the SUV along the road.

“I think there’s one just around this next corner.” I motioned to the traffic light we were approaching.

“Oh, yes, I think you’re right.”

Soon we were seated inside a trendy little corner café.

Denise waited until we’d both decided on our lunch meals and placed the order before resting her hands on the table and watching me.

I met her eyes, feeling a nervous flutter in my stomach. “What?”

She sighed some. “I thought it was time we talked again. I think we’ve gotten off on the wrong foot.”

“Yeah, I think so too.” Alex had said he was going to talk to his mom.

She nodded and watched me a moment before speaking, “I need to apologize. My behavior has not been the best and for that, I’m sorry. I know that I was being very judgmental and not even paying any attention to the person that you are. You’re nothing like the women of his past and I was treating you like you were.”

I wasn’t sure what to say. She truly seemed sorry and I didn’t note any hints of sarcasm or spite, even her eyes looked friendly and pleading with me to believe her.

“I do think you’re good for my son.” She reached out and touched the back of my hand. “It’s just hard for me to not be suspicious and to let my guard down. I’m so used to waiting on the other shoe to fall as it always does. But you and he,” she shook her head some, “are nothing like he’s ever had before. And I do think you two will go far.”

“You do?” My brows lifted at her confession.

“I do. Ever since he’s met you, I’ve been noticing changes. But it wasn’t until I actually got out here that I really saw them. He’s come a long way since you two have met and it’s for the better.”

That made me smile; a warm feeling in my chest. “He’s changed me a lot, too.”

“I know he has. You two bring out the best in each other and that’s what he’s not had in any of his previous relationships.”

“I really bring out the best in him?”

“Oh yes,” she nodded some, “he was telling me that he hasn’t had any anxiety or stress attacks in a long while, and that he really feels at peace. He’s always struggled with anxiety and been restless and unsatisfied with himself and what’s going on in his life.”

“But he’s not anymore?”

Denise shook her head. “He says he knows what direction his life is going and he’s ready.” A smile tugged at her lips. “He told me that you’re the one.”

I squelched the giggles that wanted to erupt. “So, um…what makes you believe that? I tried to tell you that last week, but you weren’t hearing it.”

“Morgan, you have to understand that Alex tells me every one of his girlfriends is ‘the one’. It wasn’t that I didn’t want to believe it, but it’s like the boy who cries wolf, eventually you just can’t anymore.”

I half understood that and half wanted to argue it. But I didn’t. “Then why do you believe him now?”

She gave a sigh and fiddled with the straw in her iced tea glass. “Because of these changes in him; he has a new outlook and he was genuinely upset after the incident on Saturday.”

“Yeah, we had a ….fight of some sorts.”

“I know and I’m sorry. I was way out of line. I just want to see him happy and with the right person; someone who isn’t going to hurt him, or use him or take advantage. He’s such a sensitive soul and he’s so giving and trusting that he doesn’t even know when he’s been worked over.” Her eyes searched my face intently. “But you’re not like that and I know that now.”

I had to smile. “Thank you.”

She returned the smile with one of her own. “You’re welcome.” A beat. “So, I hope we’re able to put all this behind us and move forward.”

“Of course. No hard feelings.” I sat back as the server appeared and placed our orders down.

“Good.” She waited until it was just the two of us again before speaking once more, “I do want a relationship with you. I want us to be able to get along and go out together. I’ve never had a daughter and I’ve always longed for a kind of relationship like that with someone.”

I smiled softly. “I think we’ll get along just fine.”

Denise’s eyes twinkled. “Good. I hope so.”

~*~*~*~*~

The rest of lunch with Denise went off without a hitch. We had even agreed to fit a little shopping in Friday afternoon. I was sure I could sneak away from work a little early, so we planned to meet at the closest shopping mall. I made it back to work on time and spent the rest of the afternoon up to my elbows in client meetings, financial phone calls with the banks and trying to get inspections scheduled. I was getting ready to leave and head on over to Alex’s, like I had promised Denise I would once she was dropping me back off, when the phone on my desk rang.

I lifted it from the cradle while digging in my bag for my keys. “Morgan Weston.”

“Morgan?” Dianna’s voice trembled through the line.

I frowned at that, immediately sensing something was not right with my friend. “Dianna? What’s wrong?”

“Oh God, Morgan, I don’t know what to do.” I could hear the tears in her voice.

“Dianna? What’s going on?”

“This… it just… can’t be happening. Not to me… not right now. Not ever.”

I peeked to the phone, feeling worry starting to course through me. “What can’t be happening? What’s going on, Dianna?”

“Morgan, it’s horrible,” she wailed.

I was at a complete loss, but her tears had me nearly freaking out. “Okay, it’s alright, Dianna. Where are you? Are you at home? Where’s Manuel?”

“H...h…isn’t here…”

Lord, they had probably gotten into some kind of a fight and he’d stormed off. The Torres’ weren’t the fighting kind, so any upset was always a surprise and a pretty big deal. “Where is he?”

“I…I don’t know. Oh, Morgan, what am I gonna do?”

She was crying and Dianna rarely cried. Something was seriously wrong here. “Okay, just sit tight. I’m on my way. I’m leaving the office now so I can be there in twenty minutes.”

“Okay.”

I heard her sniff and pouted. “Okay, I’ll see you in a bit.” Then I quickly hung up, grabbed my satchel and started for the door.

I made it to the Torres residence in a record 17 minutes. Dianna greeted me at the door with red rimmed eyes and clutching a tissue in her hand. She led me into the living room then sank down onto the sofa, pulling her legs up onto it and hugging them to her chest.

I sat next to her, a little weirded out by her behavior. I’d never seen her so desolate and not in control of her emotions. “What’s going on, hon?” Gently, I reached and touched her arm.

Her caramel colored eyes grew teary. “It’s awful,” she managed out, fiddling with the tissue clutched in her hands.

“What happened? What did you two fight about?”

She blinked some, looking at me like she had no idea what I was talking about. “What?”

“You and Manuel,” I prodded.

“Manuel and I didn’t fight.” She wiped at her eyes and sat right on the sofa, letting her legs down.

“Then…what’s going on?” I glanced around then back to her, very perplexed by the whole situation.

Dianna gave a sigh and leaned forward, resting her elbows on her knees and propping her head into her hands. “I’m pregnant.”

I blinked. “What?”

“I’m pregnant,” she moaned out, covering her face with her hands.

I was trying to process why she was treating the news like it was the end of the world. “Well, honey,” I reached out and smoothed my hand on her back, “that’s wonderful news.”

“No, it’s not.” Lifting her head, Dianna pushed her unruly hair from her face and met my gaze. “You know that Manny and I don’t want children. I don’t even want a dog.”

“Okay, true, but c’mon, Dianna… we’re talking about a precious little baby here; something that has come from you and Manny both. It’s a lot different than a dog.”

“But we don’t want a baby! I don’t know anything about being a mom, I don’t want to be a mom!”

I sighed, trying to rack my brain for the right words of comfort. “I know, honey, but sometimes things happen that are beyond our control. We just have to learn how to roll with the punches.”

“Why is this happening to me?” She fell back into the sofa.

I rubbed the back of my neck, taking a moment to collect my thoughts. “What does Manuel think of the news?”

“He doesn’t know.”

“How long have you known?”

Dianna lifted her wrist and checked the silver watch on it. “About fifteen minutes before I called you. So…almost an hour.”

“And you’re sure that you’re pregnant? It’s not just …a false positive? Sometimes those happen.”

“No,” she sighed again and sat up straight, “I took six of those First Response tests. Six

“And they all came back positive?”

“They all came back positive,” she echoed me in a deadpan tone.

I rubbed my face. “Alright, so you don’t want a baby… so are you going to have an abortion?”

“Do you know how dangerous those things can be? The kinds of complications that women can have?”

“Okay, well, you could put it up for adoption.”

“I don’t know.” She raked her hands through her hair in frustration. “I have to talk to Manuel.”

I patted her shoulder. “That would be a good idea.”

“This isn’t supposed to be happening. That birth control I’m on is supposed to be foolproof.”

“Then God must want this baby here pretty badly.”

She looked at me. “What?”

I shrugged, not sure where I was going with it, but knowing I needed to go somewhere. “Think about it; you and Manuel created a little life despite this foolproof birth control. There has to be a reason for it.”

“Yeah, it’s called, The Doctors Lying.”

I couldn’t help but chuckle at her cynicism. “Everything happens for a reason, Dianna. That’s something I struggled hard to understand since losing Hugh. But now I know it’s true. Even with the most devastating events; goodness finds its way out.”

She cast me a sideways glance. “When did you become so Pollyanna positive?”

“When I realized that losing what I thought was the best thing for me only showed me what really was.”

She chuckled low and wiped her eyes again. “Now you’re like a Hallmark card.”

“I’m just in love, Dianna.” I brushed some hair from her shoulder. “And I know that when Alex and I get to the same place you and Manny are, I’ll be thrilled to know that we’ve created a little miracle from our love.”

She sighed and glanced to her stomach, not saying a word.

I rubbed her arm. “Besides, when we do have those babies, they’re going to need a big, older cousin looking out for them.”

That got a small chuckle from her. “I don’t know, Morgan. I don’t know anything about being a mom.”

“No woman does. It’s just something that comes with time.”

“Yeah, but there are some out there that would do so much better at it than me.”

“And there are some that would be worse.” I shifted on the couch to face her. “For what it’s worth, I think you’d make a great mom. You’ve taken care of me since I moved here.”

“You’re a lot different than a helpless little baby.”

“Hey, it won’t be a baby forever. And you’ll have Manuel to help. You know he’ll do that,” she nodded some at that, “and I’ll be there every step of the way for whenever you need me.”

“Really?”

I gave a nod and squeezed her shoulder. “Of course; it’s the least I could do. You’ve done so much for me.”

“That’s if I decide to keep the baby.”

“Well, of course.” A pause. “What do you think Manny will want to do?”

“I don’t know.” She shook her head slowly. “I really don’t.”

I sighed some. “Well, whatever you decide, Dianna, I’ll support.”

She smiled and pulled me in for a hug. “Thank you. You’re a really good friend.”

I returned the hug and gave her a squeeze. “I’m only doing what you would do for me.”

She pulled back and gave a nod. “And I appreciate it.”

I smiled and glanced to the time. “So, when does Manuel get home?”

“Probably not till after eight.” Dianna checked her own watch.

“Okay, c’mon then,” I rose from the couch and motioned to her, “let’s go rustle up some dinner. You’re eating for two now.”

“Meh.” She rose to her feet and followed behind me. “Let this be a lesson to you and Alex; there is no complete foolproof birth control. Except for abstinence and I doubt he’s going to want to practice that method.”

I laughed and moved into her kitchen, flipping on the light. “I don’t blame him, I don’t want to either.”

“Hey, who knows, maybe we can go through it together.”

I blinked and gaped at her, grabbing up an apple and sending it her way. “Don’t even joke!”

Dianna caught the apple then held a hand out. “Okay, okay, sorry.”

“His mother and I are finally getting along; I can only deal with one major issue at a time. And that’s one I do not want to deal with. Least not for a long while.”

“Ooh, you and the mama made up, huh?” She pulled herself up on a stool and watched as I scoured the fridge for something to make for dinner.

“Mmhmm, she showed up at the office today and we went to lunch. Apologized for causing the trouble and not trusting or believing in our relationship.”

Dianna made an impressed face. “Why the change of heart?”

I shrugged some and took out a package of ground beef before shutting the fridge door. “Because she said she’s noticed good changes in Alex; things she’s never noticed in him before.”

My friend grinned at me across the counter. “Well, that’s great, Morgan. I’m glad you two were able to patch things up.”

I had to smile. “Me too.” Then casting my eyes her way, I spoke again, “I think everything’s going to be right as rain again.”

Dianna gave a sigh, twirling the apple in her hand. “I wish I could say the same for myself.”

I pouted and pulled a skillet from under the counter. “It’s going to work out, Dianna, it always does.”

“And what if it doesn’t?”

“It’s going to.”

“How do you know?”

I turned from the stove and placed my hands flat on the counter across from her. “Because I do. Just trust me, okay?”

She gave a heavy sigh, her shoulders slumping as the fight melted away. “Okay, but if it’s not, I hold you personally responsible.”

“Deal.” I gave a firm nod then turned back to the stove. “Now, how do you feel about taco salad?”

Chapter Forty-Eight by summer
Author's Notes:
You guys are awesome! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Enjoy and as always, let me know your thoughts! :)

 

Alex called me as I was leaving Dianna’s. He was wondering where I was and wanted me to meet him and Denise at Katsuya. Seems Japanese Cuisine was a favorite of hers. He’d heard that we had mended ways and were getting along now and felt we ought to celebrate. I didn’t have the heart to tell him I’d already eaten; so instead, I promised not to be late then raced home to change. 45 minutes later I was being escorted into the restaurant and shown to the private table he had called ahead and secured.

“There you are,” he greeted me as I approached and he rose to kiss my cheek and pull out my chair.

“Hi, yes, I’ve arrived.” I squeezed his hand and thanked him before slipping into my seat. “There’s so much traffic out front and the camera people were going crazy because Hugh Jackman was leaving and they were trying their best to get good shots of him. I had a heck of a time trying to just get into the building.”

“Aww, I’m sorry, baby.” He reached over and gave my knee a loving squeeze. “Sometimes they can make things difficult.”

“They were outside when we arrived as well,” Denise joined in. “My son chatted them up like they were old friends.” She sent him a disapproving look before returning to her menu.

He chuckled low. “They’re just trying to get information out to our fans.”

“No, they’re trying to make a buck or two, or ten thousand.”

I watched between them and gave a low laugh. “Well, that’s Alex for you. He knows no enemies and everyone is his friend.”

“Aint that the truth.” We exchanged a look as Alex grinned sheepishly.

“It’s just my nature.”

I leaned over and kissed his cheek. “I know, baby, and I think it’s wonderful you’re so sweet and friendly with everyone.”

“Except when it’s with people who take advantage of him,” his mother voiced as she examined her menu.

“Hey now.”

But she ignored him and looked over at me again. “That’s what gets him into trouble. He can’t tell anyone no and so he ends up letting people walk all over him and then some. Did you know that he’s still paying for some of his ex-girlfriends bills?”

I lifted my brows and turned to Alex. “You’re giving your exes money?”

He sighed and shot his mother a frown then turned his beautiful eyes on me. “I don’t give them the money directly. I send it to the companies that do the billing.”

“What bills are you still paying?” I was baffled that he would pay for their bills. Since when did any ex boyfriend do that?

Alex gave a little shrug and his mother smirked just slightly, obviously pleased that I disapproved as well.

“Alex…”

“Just some cell phones and a few credit cards.”

“What? Why?”

“Because they wouldn’t have those bills if it hadn’t been for me. I … sort of owe it to them to pay ‘em.”

A frown graced my features. “You don’t owe them anything. Were you married to any of ‘em?”

“No!” He blinked a little and shook his head vehemently.

“Then you owe them nothing.” I set my menu down and faced him more. “I understand if when you were together, you picked up some of the tabs, but you’re not with any of them.” A beat. “Wait a minute, how many exes are we talking about here?”

“Just two.” He didn’t look pleased at the conversation, but luckily he wasn’t trying to evade it. I was sure his mother had been over it quite a number of times and he knew better than to try when she was around.

I gaped at my boyfriend, not even sure what to say to him.

Luckily, the server arrived at that time and we ordered our drinks.

Once he was gone, Denise continued like we’d never been interrupted, “He feels like he owes it to them considering it was because of him that they now have these bills.”

My brows rose once more and I glanced over to Alex. “So, it’s because of you that they continue to use these cards? That cell phone?”

“Yes, because he continues to keep paying them,” his mother answered for him. “I keep telling him if he’d stop then they’d either pick it up themselves, or just cancel the service.” She shot a look at her son that seemed to say she was speaking more to him than to me.

“Yeah, and then they call me up all upset and remind me that I said I’d continue the payments.”

“So,” I gave a snort, “that’s their problem. You tell them you have no obligations to them any longer and they’ll just have to suck it up and figure something else out.”

“Morgan’s right,” Denise threw in. “Listen to her, Alex.”

Her son gave a heavy sigh and slouched some in his seat. “Can we not talk about this right now? We’re supposed to be here celebrating that my mom and my girlfriend are finally getting along.”

His mother sat back, but I wouldn’t. “Alex,” I reached over and took his hand, forcing our eyes to meet, “if your ex-girlfriends decide to keep using their cell phones or credit cards, then that’s their decision. Has it ever occurred to you that they’re only doing it because you’re still paying them? And who cares if they call you up bit-complaining about it. Tell them to grow up and pay their own way. Or whine to the men they’re currently dating.”

“Listen to her,” his mother stressed. I had a feeling she wanted to run around the table and hug the life out of me for trying to convince her hard-headed son.

Alex frowned and gave a sigh, his jaw flexing some.

I touched his cheek then sat back again. “Alright, baby…we’ll drop it. Just…think about what I said.” I squeezed his hand then pulled it over into my lap.

“Thank you.” He sent me an appreciative look before turning to the menu in front of him. “We need to figure out what we want before the server returns.”

I nodded and we spent the next few minutes deciding on our dinners and placing the order. After we were left to sip our drinks, Denise began to tell some story about a neighbor of Alex’s that she has known a few years, since her son moved into his current house.

I chuckled low and Alex insisted that he had been hitting on her. She just waved him off, telling him that the neighbor knew she was happily married.

“Mom, I’m telling you,” he began, but didn’t get to finish when a voice interrupted the conversation.

“Alex? Hey! I thought that was you.”

We all turned to find a young woman standing at his elbow. She wore a sleek black dress and had her dark hair pulled back from her face. She was more cute than beautiful, but had a killer body; ample chest, thin waist and toned arms. I didn’t think she had a single ounce of fat on her.

My boyfriend watched her for a half second then recognition lit his face and he grinned. “Aubrey. Hey!” He smiled then starting to rise, but she touched his shoulder.

“Don’t get up on my account. I just had to come say hi. I feel like I never see you anymore.”

“Yeah, it’s been awhile.” He gave a nod then took her hand. “How are you, darlin’?”

“I’m doing really good. How are you?” Her emerald colored eyes shimmered at him before glancing to Denise and me.

“I’m actually doing really well.” He squeezed her hand in a warm gesture then released it. Following her gaze, he motioned towards his mom. “Um, Aubrey, this is my mother,” then he reached and touched my arm, “and this is Morgan. Ladies, this is Aubrey.”

“Gosh, it’s so nice to meet you both.” She reached for my hand, but I was too stuck on the fact that Alex had introduced me as just ‘Morgan’, not ‘my girlfriend, Morgan’, to take hers. Instead, I watched him with a perplexed expression.

Slowly withdrawing her hand, she turned and held it towards Denise. “It’s a pleasure to meet you. Mrs.…McLean?”

“Solis actually, but please, call me Denise.” She warmly shook the younger woman’s hand. “And it’s nice to meet you, too. How do you know my son?”

Before Aubrey could respond, Alex chimed in, “Through mutual friends. We’ve known each other,” he looked to the cute brunette, “how long now?”

She giggled and touched his shoulder. “Probably about four years.”

“Yeah, about four years,” he echoed her response, his eyes meeting mine and a confused look passing through them as he noted my expression.

“Mmhmm, we were friends for a long while before I finally got up the courage to tell him how I felt.” Her hand stayed on his shoulder and I began to realize what was going on here. She was some ex-girlfriend of his. Though, I had no idea why he had not mentioned exactly who I was. Should it bother me as much as it was?

Alex chuckled and I noted a slight blush on his cheeks. “I kind of already knew how you felt.”

“Yeah,” she giggled lowly, “but we never could seem to get it right, could we? Well, except for that one night when we took that trip to Puerto Vallarta with some friends.”

“I remember that.” He nodded his head some, shifting slightly in the chair and peeking his eyes my way for a brief moment.

“Mmhmm.” Her fingers brushed his shoulder. “You know, we really need to get together again. It’s been forever since we’ve hung out.”

“It has been awhile, hasn’t it?”

“Yes,” she tilted her head a moment then flashed a dimply grin his way. “What are you doing tomorrow night? Some of us are meeting up at The Lounge. You could join us, then maybe later…” she purposely trailed off and giggled low.

“Um, actually-”

“Actually,” I quickly interrupted before he could turn her down. “He’d love to go. How’s nine sound?”

All three sets of eyes turned to me and I could have sworn I saw a hint of amusement in Denise’s.

“Morgan…” My boyfriend, if that’s what he wanted me to call him, was watching me rather confused.

I patted his arm in a friendly manner. “It’s alright. Go have fun. Your mom and I can find something to do. I’m sure you and Aubrey have so much to catch up on.” My lips were smiling, but my eyes were anything but.

He frowned and caught my hand. “Well, I’m not going without you.”

“You don’t want to disappoint your friend.”

He matched my gaze. “We can catch up some other time. Right, Aubrey?” He turned back to the brunette who gave a quick nod.

“Oh, absolutely. If you two have plans or something, that’s totally cool. This was just a last minute invite.”

“And I appreciate it, but I think I’m gonna pass. Maybe next time.”

“Of course.” She smiled and glanced between Denise and myself. “It was so nice meeting you.” Then she leaned and kissed Alex’s cheek. “Give me a call and we can figure something out.”

He returned the kiss on her cheek and told her of course before bidding her goodnight.

As soon as she headed off, our dinners were served and silence fell over the table as everyone concentrated on their meals. It gave me a good excuse to not speak to Alex and I didn’t, making sure I took as long as I could to eat my small portioned dinner.

Finally, after we were finished, Denise excused herself to use the restroom, leaving us alone at the table.

Alex waited until she was out of earshot then turned his attention onto me. “What’s going on?”

I set my water glass back onto the table and met his gaze. “What?”

“You’ve been giving me the silent treatment for the last half hour. What gives?”

“I’m not giving you the silent treatment.” I arched a brow at him.

“I beg to differ.”

I blinked a little at his attitude, taken back by where it was coming from. “What’s with your attitude?”

“I don’t have an attitude.” But the expression on his face said differently.

“Can we talk about this later?” I really wasn’t in the mood to have this conversation in a crowded restaurant.

He ran a hand over his face and sighed, looking as they brought the check. “Fine, but later.”

“Yeah, yeah… I’m gonna go give the valet my ticket. It might take me awhile to get through the crowd.” I shrugged him off and rose from the table, not giving him a chance to object before I headed away and towards the exit.

~*~*~*~*~

I didn’t head to Alex’s after leaving the restaurant. Instead, I went home and sent him a text, telling him I was tired and was going to call it a night. He didn’t respond right away and I shut my phone off before he had a chance to later on. I wasn’t in the mood to talk to him. Maybe his not mentioning who I was exactly was just a slip up, maybe he assumed she’d know who I was. Or maybe he was so entranced by this previous bedmate that he completely forgot who I was. I’m surprised he remembered my name.

Trying to shake those thoughts from my head, I took a hot shower then dressed in some lightweight, blue pajama pants and a cream tank. I tied my hair up then made sure Daisy had enough water for the night before finally retiring to my room. She settled herself at the bottom of my bed and watched me with her big brown eyes.

I chuckled and ruffled her head before settling myself under the covers. “What’s that look for?”

She shifted her head, settling it over her paws, those eyes just watching me.

I couldn’t help but wonder if she was scolding me for my disagreement with my boyfriend. “Stop with that look. I haven’t done anything wrong.”

But instead of looking away, she rose from her spot and moved up next to me, nudging my arm with her wet nose.

“Daisy!” I frowned some and pushed her head gently away. “What’s going on with you?”

But she ignored me and nudged me again.

“What is your problem?”

Jumping over me and onto the floor, she shook herself out some and padded to the dresser where my phone lay. Then lifting onto her hind legs she rested her front paws on the edge of the dresser and craned her neck, leaning until she could get the phone into her mouth.

I watched in amazement as she brought it back to the bed and dropped it into my lap. “What the…” trailing off, I blinked and looked between the cell phone and my chocolate Labrador.

Seemingly proud of herself, she jumped back up onto the bed and settled herself next to me, watching me with a persistent expression, as if she were telling me to pick up the phone and call my boyfriend.

“You are a uniquely weird and amazing dog, you know that?” I picked up the phone and fiddled with it, smoothing my thumb over the on button and debating if I wanted to do this.

Luckily, I didn’t have to make that decision because I heard footsteps on the stairs and Alex’s voice filled the hallway. “Morgan?”

Scrambling from my bed, I dropped the phone onto the nightstand and moved to the closed door, yanking it open and nearly colliding with him. “What are you doing here?”

He jerked back some to keep from ramming into me, the look on his face one I wasn’t sure I could interpret. “What am I doing? You scared the shit out of me just disappearing after dinner and then not returning any of my texts. And when I called you it went straight to voicemail. I was worried sick.” He brushed past me and moved into the bedroom.

I blinked some, watching him. “I did send you a text. I told you I was tired and was going to just come on home and go to bed.”

“I never got it.” He frowned and glanced around the room, raking a hand through his hair. “God, you had me freaked out. I was worried something horrible had happened to you.” His eyes met mine again, flashing angrily at me.

“Well, nothing did. I’m perfectly fine; just tired and wanting to go to bed.”

“You didn’t even think I’d be worried?” He folded his arms over his chest.

“Frankly, no. I sent you that text. How was I supposed to know you never got it?”

“Well, maybe if you hadn’t turned your phone off you’d have seen that.”

I opened my mouth to respond, but nothing came out. He was right. Snapping it shut again, I frowned and turned towards my bed. “I’m tired. I need some sleep; I have a long day tomorrow.”

“Is that your way of telling me to leave?”

I climbed up into the bed and tugged the covers back some. “It’s my way of telling you that I need some sleep.”

“So, you don’t even care that I was going outta my mind thinking you were lying dead in a ditch somewhere, or that Andrew had escaped and jumped you?”

“You know what, Alex,” I looked up at him, “I’m really not in the mood right now. Why don’t you go talk to Aubrey, I’m sure she’ll help you feel better.” With a frown, I yanked the blankets up over my legs and tucked ‘em around me.

His brows shot so far up his head they nearly came off. “That’s what this is about? Aubrey?! Are you serious?”

I could feel the anger starting to boil. “Yes, I’m serious!”

“Are you jealous of her?”

“No, I’m not jealous of Aubrey,” I spit her name out. “But I’m beyond pissed that not only did you not tell her who I was, you had to let her go on and on about her sexual experiences with you!”

He hesitated and took a step closer to the bed. “I told her who you were. I introduced you.”

“Yeah, ‘oh and this is Morgan’,” I did a bad imitation. “You treated me like I was an acquaintance or some friend of your mother’s and not your girlfriend. You didn’t even tell her that’s who I was.”

His brow furrowed. “That’s what you’re so upset about? Because I didn’t make sure she knew we were dating?”

“Not just dating,” I could feel my voice give a tremor. “We’re in a relationship, Alex, a very serious one at that. And you didn’t even let her know. Nor did you object or say a word when she talked about bedding you.”

“What was I supposed to do? Jump up and cover her mouth?”

My eyes narrowed. “You don’t get it. Just leave so I can sleep.”

“I’m not going anywhere.”

Why was he so damn hard headed? Instead of arguing with him though, I gave a shrug and reached for the lamp on the nightstand, flicking it off. “Suit yourself. Good night.”

He waited until I was settled into the bed, Daisy having fled the angry voices earlier, before approaching. I felt the mattress shift as his weight pressed into it and then he was pulling me into his arms, tugging me gently to his chest and wrapping himself tight around me.

“I’m sorry if I didn’t tell Aubrey exactly who you are,” he murmured against my hair. “And I’m sorry that I didn’t ask her to stop talking about our sexual experiences.”

I felt my heart melting at the sincerity in his voice. I pressed my face to his chest and found it bare, knowing he had probably shucked his clothes and intended on staying here with me the rest of the night. “I’m sorry too. I didn’t mean to scare you, or yell. Or act like a bitch,” I added as an afterthought.

“You definitely were acting like one.” He chuckled low and gave me a squeeze when I objected to that comment.

“I’m sorry. I normally don’t fly off the handle like that.” I leaned my head up some, stroking my fingers over the smoothness of the bare skin on his side.

“I know, love.” He kissed my lips lightly. “You’ve had a rough last few weeks. Sometimes things just build and build till finally one little thing can set it all off. Like an avalanche.”

I sighed and rested my head back on the pillow, reaching a hand up to trace his features. “I suppose. But can I make a request?”

“Anything.” He brushed his lips over my forehead.

“Never let something like that happen again.”

Alex chuckled then pressed his forehead to mine, the moonlight filtering in through the window allowing just enough of a light to see each other’s outlines. “I promise. I’ve learned my lesson. From now on it’ll be ‘my girlfriend, Morgan’.”

“Good.” I smiled then closed my eyes and snuggled close to him again. “I love you.”

He brushed the hair from my face and wrapped his strong arms around me once more. “I love you, too.”

Chapter Forty-Nine by summer
Author's Notes:
Thanks again! I don't think I can say it enough! I hope you're still enjoying it as much as you seem to be hehe. Lemme know whatcha think of this one.

 

The next morning as the sun filtered in through the bedroom windows, I lay with my head on my boyfriend’s chest, our fingers intertwined, staring up at the ceiling. He had woken me early for love making and now we lay together, just enjoying each other and the silence in the room.

Glancing my eyes towards him, I shifted our arms until his curled around me and I could kiss his knuckles, our hands still locked together. “You consider us in a serious relationship, right?”

His free arm was tucked under his head and I was sure he was looking to me. “Of course I do.”

I fiddled with his fingers. “Then how come last night, you referred to us just dating?”

“When did I say that?”

I glanced to him again. “When you mentioned introducing me to Aubrey. You asked if I was upset because you didn’t make sure she knew we were dating.”

“But that’s what we are doing.” A beat. “Isn’t it?”

I pulled my hand from his then shifted to my side to see him better. “Well, yes and no. We are, but it’s more than just dating.”

“Well course it is. We’re in a serious, committed relationship that’s going somewhere. Not just two people messing around or being casual.”

I smiled and kissed his cheek. “Exactly. Can I ask you something else?”

“Of course.” He smoothed his fingers over my cheek.

“How long are you gonna continue to pay for your exes things?”

Alex blinked some and gave a little groan. “Do we have to talk about that?”

I sat up and pulled the sheet around me more. “Yes. I really don’t like the idea of you doing that. You’re with me, why are you paying for them?”

“I already explained my reasoning.”

“Alex, those were not reasons. Those were excuses.” With a sigh, I took his hand. “How would you feel if I were paying for some other guy’s things? And not just one…but two, maybe even three.”

“I wouldn’t like it.”

“Exactly.”

“Baby,” he gave his own sigh and sat up, cupping my face with his hands, “I already told you why I was doing it and what would happen if I stopped.”

“Are you going to continue to foot their bills when we get married?”

He hesitated, almost as if that hadn’t dawned on him. “I…don’t know.”

I wet my bottom lip and took his hands into mine. “I’m not going to marry someone who continues to pay the way for his ex-girlfriends.”

A frown creased his forehead.

“Can you really expect me to? Can you expect me to enter into a sacred union with you knowing that you’re still giving previous girlfriends money?”

He frowned more and pushed the covers back, rising from the bed. “So you’re saying you wouldn’t marry me?”

I rubbed my forehead. “Not if you were still paying for them when we got to that point.” I hated that, but I just couldn’t be with someone in a marriage if he were still paying for their things.

“Well then, what’s the point?”

I blinked. “Excuse me?”

He was yanking on his boxers in a frustrated manner. “What’s the point in us aiming for that goal if we aren’t gonna reach it?”

“Alex,” I shifted the covers around my nakedness a little more, “I didn’t say we wouldn’t reach-”

“It sure as hell sounded like that to me,” he interrupted me before I could finish my sentence.

That was one thing I was quickly learning about my boyfriend; he had a hot temper and when he got upset, all rational thoughts flew right out the nearest window. “Baby,” I watched as he grabbed his jeans and pulled those on, “come sit here, I’m trying to talk to you.” I patted a spot on the bed beside me.

“I think you’ve said enough.” His eyes flashed angrily at me. “You’re basically giving me an ultimatum; either, stop paying their bills or we’re through.”

My eyes stretched. “What? No, no that’s not what I’m saying at all.” I quickly scrambled from the bed, bringing the sheet with me. “I’m just saying that I don’t think I could marry you if you were still paying for their things.”

“Then what would be the point in us being together now if you aren’t going to marry me?”

I blinked some, not sure where we had taken that wrong turn into argumentville. “Well, I’m hoping that by the time we’re ready for that, you won’t be doing it anymore.”

“And what if I still am?” He had paused with his shirt in his hands, watching me with an expectant look.

A realization was slowly moving into my head. “You’d really sacrifice us just to keep your ex-girlfriends from bitching at you?” I wasn’t sure if I should feel hurt or angry first.

“I didn’t say that.”

“No,” I shook my head some, pulling the covers around me a little more, “but if…you continued to pay for them knowing how I felt…and it came down to us getting married… you’d sacrifice us for their sake.” I think I was more shocked at the epiphany to be hurt or angry at the moment.

“Morgan, that’s not how it’d be at all.”

“Then how would it be?!” There was the anger. “You’re going to continue to do what you want regardless of how I feel. And you’re gonna keep doing it. And that day you do propose to me…you’ll still be doing it. And when I say no, you’ll blame me, calling it an ultimatum when it’d be all your fault! Knowing how I feel and what I think about it and not caring!”

His brows drew together and he tossed the shirt onto the bed. “Morgan-”

“You…you would choose them over me,” I could hear the tremors in my voice as my throat tightened, “Them!

“Baby, no.” He was around the bed and to my side in an instant. “I would never do that.”

I hugged the sheet around my body, hot tears stinging at my eyes. “Then stop paying for their shit.”

He gave a heavy sigh and smoothed his hands on my upper arms. “It’s not that easy.”

I pulled away from him as if he were a hot stove I had just touched. The tears were now blurring my vision and with strained words, I managed out, “Then you already have.” And with that, I turned and fled into the bathroom, closing the door behind me and locking him out of my life.

~*~*~*~*~

I stayed in the bathroom until I was sure Alex was gone. I needed time to think and he obviously needed time to think. Or maybe he needed a good hit in the head to get the sense I know he had, moving again. Whatever the case, I didn’t want to talk to him, or see him.

I was a good hour or two late for work and quickly immersed myself in what I had planned for the day. The tardiness put me behind by an hour, so I was able to lose myself in playing catch up. Alex didn’t call, so I didn’t have to pretend to be busy or pretend to ignore it. And with all the appointments I had for the day, I was able to push him to the farthest corner of my mind. At least until I would have a free moment and then he’d come rushing back to the front.

Somehow, I managed to make it through the day and found the house empty when I got home that evening. A part of me was frustrated that he hadn’t even tried to get in touch, yet at the same time, I was relieved. I didn’t know what else to say to him or what else to do. I was tired of arguing. We’d been doing a lot of that lately and I hated it. I wanted things easy and simple again.

After taking a hot shower and changing into something more comfortable, I curled up on the couch with Daisy next to me and dialed the one person that always seemed to know what to say or do to make me feel better.

My mother answered on the second ring and barely had a ‘hello’ out before I was spilling to her about our most recent tiff.

“Oh, sweetheart, I’m so sorry,” she breathed out through the phone once I was finished.

“I don’t know what to do, Mama.”

“That’s a tough one.”

“Yeah, and I just don’t understand why he would do something like that. He has to know its wrong.”

“I’m sure on some level he does.”

I glanced towards the phone. “Then why does he do it?”

She gave a little sigh. “Well, it sounds like he might still feel a little obligated to them.”

“Obligated to his ex-girlfriends? Why?” That was something I couldn’t even fathom he still felt. They were in his past, why would he still feel like he owed them something?

“I dunno, sweetheart. That’s something you’d have to ask him.”

“We aren’t exactly speaking at the moment.”

“Well, that does hamper things a bit.”

I chuckled dryly then rubbed my eyes. “What am I going to do, Mom? I love him. I want to be with him. I eventually want to marry him. But I just don’t think I could with thatexes over me?”

“Is that what he was doing?”

“Yes. He didn’t tell me he’d stop and he hasn’t tried to call me all day. What does that tell you?”

“Baby,” she sighed it out and I was sure she was at a loss for words.

“Exactly.” I glanced to the phone again.

“So, what does this mean?”

I could feel a heavy feeling in the pit of my stomach and didn’t like it one bit. “I don’t know, Mom, I just…I don’t know.”

“Don’t give up on him, Morgan. He never gave up on you.”

Her words hit home and tears stung my eyes. “I love him too much to give up on him.”

“I know you do, baby. You guys will work it out.”

I was discouraged she didn’t have anything more to offer, but understood. She couldn’t make my decisions for me, only I could do that. With a sigh, I reached over and stroked Daisy’s head. “Thanks, Mom. Thanks for letting me just vent to you about it.”

“You know you can call me up anytime, precious. I’m sorry you’re dealing with something like this. I wish I could do more.”

“I know you do.” I glanced to the time. “Tell Daddy I said hi.”

“I will, baby. I love you.”

“I love you too.” With a sigh, I lowered the phone and clicked it off. Maybe I needed to go on over to his place. It bothered me that he hadn’t even tried to call me once throughout the day. It worried me a little too. What if he was throwing in the towel and just giving up. A pain shot through my chest at that and I wiped the tears away. We couldn’t just give up on us. We were supposed to be together. And if I didn’t want to lose him then I needed to just get over my pride and my feelings and go talk to him.

But first, I had a phone call to make.

Hitting the talk button on my cordless, I quickly dialed my neighbor’s number.

“Hey, hon,” she greeted me as she answered the phone.

“Hey,” I shifted some on the seat and drew my legs up onto the sofa with me, “how are you feeling?”

She gave a low chuckle. “I’m okay. Had some serious morning sickness this morning, but other than that, I’m just dandy.”

I couldn’t help but give a smile. “You talk to Manny?”

“Last night.”

“And…”

“And…” she drew the word out like I had, “he’s excited. He wants the baby.”

That was the first piece of good news I’d heard all day. Relief washed over me and I had to wipe away some fresh tears. “Dianna… oh honey, I’m so glad.”

“He said he thought he hadn’t wanted children, but now that it’s real and not just an idea, he really wants one.”

I laughed and wiped at my cheeks. “Does it change how you feel?”

“I’m not sure yet. I feel relieved that he’s excited and wanting the baby.”

I could hear the relief in her own voice, and a little something more I couldn’t quite place. “I think when he, or she, gets here, you’re going to be so happy and proud and in love with that little one.”

“You think so?”

“Oh, I really do. Just wait until you hear the heartbeat the first time, or you get to see them on the sonogram. You’re going to fall in love, Dianna.”

“I’m trying, Morgan, I really am. And with Manuel behind me on this, it makes it easier, but I…I just…motherhood is not my thing.”

“It’s more your thing than you realize.” She gave a sigh and I continued, “You just have to have a little faith. It’s going to be okay, it always is.”

“I wish I could be as positive as you.”

I wished I could be as positive as I was with her about everything in my life. “Well, that’s what I’m here for.”

“I love ya, you know that right?” I could hear her grin through the phone.

I smiled. “I know and I love you, too.”

We chatted another few moments before finally saying goodnight and hanging up. Glancing to the time, I replaced the phone and rose from my spot; stretching and tugging my shirt back down over my tummy. It was nearly eight and I wanted to change before heading over to my boyfriend’s. If that’s what we still were. With a sigh, and wondering what I was going to say to him when I finally saw him again, I headed from the room and up the stairs.

~*~*~*~*~

Denise answered the door once I made it to Alex’s and rang the bell. The expression on her face told me she knew what was going on. She hugged me, ushered me in and told me where to find Alex then said something about needing to take the dogs for a walk and hurried off to go find their leashes. I knew she was just giving us some space to talk.

Slowly, I meandered through his house until I was in the game room, stopping in the doorway and watching my boyfriend as he attempted to shoot a game of pool.

He didn’t notice me until about three shots later when he scratched then cursed and stood up straight, grabbing the chalk tip. His eyes met mine and he froze.

There was a pressure in my chest and it tightened as our gazes locked. “Hey,” I managed out, wanting to move on into the room, but not being able to take a step.

“Hey.”

“I um…” I waved back towards the hallway, “your mom told me you were in here.”

He gave a nod and began to chalk the end of his cue stick.

I watched him for a moment, trying to decide what the best thing to say would be. “Um…Alex…”

He cast his eyes towards me then back to his task at hand.

I sighed and finally moved into the room. “What’s happening to us?”

His eyes met mine again and he watched me a long moment before finally speaking, “I don’t know.”

That’s all he had? I had to remind myself to stay cool and try a different approach. “It seems like all we’ve done lately is argue.”

“Yeah, over stupid shit.” He continued to chalk the end of his cue stick.

“I don’t wanna do it anymore.” I wasn’t going to bring up that our disagreements weren’t over stupid shit. His mom, our future together; not stupid shit.

“You think I want to?” He set the chalk and his cue stick aside and faced me. “Morgan, I don’t like fighting with you anymore than you like fighting with me. But I don’t know what to do. You’re asking things of me that I don’t know if I can give.”

“You…don’t know if you can give?” My brows drew together. “Give what? Give up paying for someone else’s things? Baby,” I clenched my fists and took a breath in an attempt to keep my emotions in check, “yes, I don’t agree with that, but I’m not telling you to stop. I want you to, but I can’t order it of you. All I can do is ask. And if you say no, then that’s your decision.”

“But you won’t marry me if I continue doing it.”

“Well,” I wet my bottom lip and gave a little shrug, “I’m hoping that by the time we’re in that place, you won’t be footing other people’s bills.”

His brows rose. “And if I am?”

“Then we’ll cross that bridge when we get there.” I sighed some. “I don’t want to lose you over something like this. Yeah, I don’t agree with what you’re doing … but I’m not just gonna jump ship.”

“Not yet, anyway.” His words were hard and I his gaze even harder.

I frowned. “Alex, I am trying to make peace here. Why are you being so difficult?”

“I’m not being difficult!”

I could grab the pool balls from the table and hurl them at him. “Yes, you are! What is going on?”

He frowned, his jaw clenching.

I could not deal with this tonight. I didn’t know how to deal with it for that matter. “I don’t know….where the wrong turn was that we took that suddenly all we do is fight, but I don’t like it. I want to turn around and find the right path. The one we’re supposed to be on. Not this…this,” I searched for the right word, “this broken one filled with bumps.”

He reached a hand to the back of his neck. “I don’t like it either, but I don’t know what to tell you. You just don’t seem to understand.”

“Then help me.” I took a step towards him. “Tell me what’s going on, why you’re doing what you are….open up and let me in on this, Alex.”

His eyes softened and for a moment I thought he was going to agree, but then as quickly as it’d come, the look disappeared. “I can’t, Morgan.”

“You can’t or you won’t.”

“I just… I can’t do this right now, okay?” He ran a hand over his face and looked off to the side.

I felt like I’d just been slapped. I stared at him speechless as a tight ball of pressure quickly grew in my chest. Was this really happening? But instead of bursting into tears like I, oh so badly, wanted to do, I balked it up and drew in a shaky breath, making sure I had enough composure to speak, “Fine, then don’t bother calling me until you can.” And with that I turned on my heel and strode from the room.

Chapter Fifty by summer
Author's Notes:
Gah! Never work retail lol, especially at Christmas. I have been swamped at work so my writing has suffered; I'm so sorry! But I have an update and I am going to try my best to give you another before too long. I hope I haven't lost anyone. So, so sorry. I hope you enjoy and thank you again! Everyone is so wonderful!

 

“I tried to talk to him, Morgan,” Denise told me two days later when we met up for the promised shopping trip. Sure, I wasn’t speaking to her son, but I couldn’t ditch his mom. So we’d met up at the mall and moseyed through a few stores before grabbing a cup of coffee at the Starbucks in the food court.

“I really appreciate that, Denise, but it’s not something you can fix. He needs to be the one to realize what he’s doing and make amends.” I hadn’t heard from Alex since that night I left him in his game room. Quite a few times I’d had to stop myself from picking up the phone and calling him, but that wouldn’t do. He needed to be the one to take the first step and come to me. But he hadn’t and from the way our conversation was starting out, it didn’t look like it was going to be happening anytime soon.

I hadn’t told anyone what was going on between the two of us; Dianna had her own issues with her unexpected pregnancy and I didn’t want Anna’s sympathy. My mom had called me that morning, but I let it go to voicemail. I didn’t have the words to explain to her how I was feeling. I didn’t even know myself.

I for sure thought that he was my new life; we’d get married and have a family and live happily ever after. But I was slowly discovering that there weren’t any happily ever after’s. If things continued like this then I was going to be alone again. Maybe that was my destiny. Maybe Alex had just been someone to help me get over losing Hugh. But the thought of losing Alex made a lump the size of a softball swell in my throat. I couldn’t lose him. Over the past few months he had become the most important thing to me and I knew there was no way I could just move on. Besides, relationships were hard work and things had been going way too easy for us over the last month or so.

“He’s carrying a chip the size of Texas on his shoulder, I’m afraid.”

I looked up from my double latte and met her somber gaze. “I tried to help him, but I don’t know what else to do. He has some issues that he refuses to let me in on.”

“He won’t even tell me,” she sounded rather insulted by that. “My son can be one of the most stubborn people I know when he wants to be.”

“Does he get that from you or his dad?” I was trying to make a joke, but from the look Denise shot me I knew it hadn’t been taken that way. “I… I’m sorry; I was… trying to lighten the mood.” I took a quick sip of my drink.

She gave a little nod and swirled her straw in the passion fruit tea she had ordered instead of a coffee. “It’s alright,” she hesitated, “and he gets that from his father. That man was the most stubborn person I had ever met.”

I gave a little nod. I knew his parents were divorced and his mom remarried, but that was about it. “Does Alex talk to his dad very often? I’m sorry if that question seems like I’m intruding, but he doesn’t talk about him much.”

“Alex has no relationship with his biological father,” she stated in a matter of fact tone. “He actually calls my husband, Tony, dad.”

“Oh.” How had I not known that? “I’m sorry, he’s… never mentioned that.”

“It’s alright, dear. It’s a very sensitive subject to him.”

“I guess it is if he’s never told me.” What else was he keeping from me?

Her eyes met mine and I knew she was thinking the same thing. “His father left us,” she spoke quietly after a moment of silence. “Alex was four. And he didn’t hear from him again until he was 18 and had made it big with the group.”

I watched her, feeling like I was partly going behind Alex’s back with learning this information. He obviously hadn’t told me for a reason. But then again, I hadn’t asked and I wasn’t trying to learn it to gain anything. “That must have been hard.”

“It was. After learning that the entire time he was growing up his father was living just miles away, really hurt him. And when he finally got up the courage to go visit, he walked into his place and the man had Backstreet Boy posters and pictures of our son all over the walls. It really freaked him out.” She shook her head and looked to her drink.

I didn’t know what to say, but my heart panged for my boyfriend and I suddenly wanted to run to him and hold him close. “What… happened after that?” I questioned hesitantly.

“Heh, all Bob wanted was what Alex’s fame and popularity could bring. He didn’t want to see his dad after that, but Bob was sure to get as involved in his career as he could. He even helped run some Backstreet fan page and message board. He would call or write to Alex, but he never reciprocated. Last year, he even flew to Paris on his own to surprise him at one of his solo shows. That did not go over well.” She gave a heavy sigh. “He’s been through so much. All I want is to see him finally happy and in a good place. But every time he starts to find it, he just pushes it away.”

“Sounds like he’s afraid.”

“He doesn’t have anything to be afraid of.”

I didn’t have the heart to tell her that wasn’t true, so I just nodded and took a sip of my drink. Her story had given me some insight and I was trying hard not to think about going to see him. If he found out what his mom had told me, he might get angry and I didn’t want that. Besides, he was the one that needed to come to me. Or maybe I was being the too stubborn one. I didn’t know what to do and suddenly felt like crawling into bed and hiding away from it all.

“Don’t give up on him though, Morgan.”

Her words brought me back to our conversation and I fiddled with the edge of the lid on my glass. “I’m trying not to. I don’t want to, but I don’t know what to do.”

“Maybe you try to talk to him again?” She sent me a hopeful look.

“And if it ends up like it did last time?”

She ducked her head and I knew she was at a loss like me. Sighing, I rose from the chair and grabbed the couple bags I had acquired already. “How ‘bout we just do some shopping and try not to think about all that for awhile?”

Denise pressed her lips together and gave a nod. “Alright, I can do that.” Then she too stood and gathered her belongings.

“Good. They just put an H&M in here and I’ve been meaning to check it out. C’mon.” Then together we headed from the restaurant trying to put the conversation behind us.

~*~*~*~*~

Sunday morning I had just returned from a morning jog with Daisy when my phone rang. I snatched it up before it could even finish the first ring, hoping it would be Alex. Instead, Anna’s cheery voice greeted me. We chatted a few moments before she got down to the reason for her phone call.

“Greg and I were wondering if you and Alex wanted to come over this afternoon. We could take the boat out.”

I gave an inward groan. “That sounds like so much fun, but I don’t think we’ll be able to make it.”

“Aww, that’s too bad. Greg was really hoping you guys could. Abigail is at my mom’s this weekend, so it’d just be us adults.”

I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair, sinking down into an oversized armchair. “Maybe next time.” I was hesitant to tell her what was really going on with us.

She paused a moment. “Are you alright? You sound a little off.”

“Yeah, I’m okay, just tired; Daisy and I took a run on the beach and I just got back home.”

“Oh,” she paused another moment, “so how did your shopping trip with Denise go?”

“It went well. I probably bought more stuff than I should have, but I was in the mood to.”

She chuckled. “I’ve been there.”

“Yeah, I got a few new work suits.”

“We’re still on for shopping for our Hawaii trip when we win, right?”

I glanced to the phone and gave a real grin. “Absolutely.”

“You know they announce the winners on Thursday. I’m confident you’ll be one and it’ll be close between me and Dixon.”

“I’m not worried; he won’t be able to catch you by Thursday.”

“I hope not, Greg is already planning out the trip.” She chuckled some. “Hey, how cool would it be if we both won and you brought Alex and I brought Greg? Then they could go off and do guy things while we were at the convention.”

I grinned again. “That would be really neat.”

“And in the evenings, we could go to dinner, even a luau.”

“Yeah, I do want to go to one of those.”

“It’ll be so much fun. That’s why Dixon can’t win.”

I chuckled. “He won’t. It’ll be you and me.”

“And Greg and Alex.”

“And Greg and Alex,” I echoed her, not even knowing if we would get that far.

She was quiet another moment. “Are you sure you’re alright?”

I blinked and rubbed my face. “Yeah, I’m okay. But I really need a shower. I’m sorry about today.”

“Hey, it’s alright. We can take a raincheck.”

“Of course; a raincheck.” I felt myself smiling through my teeth. “I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”

“Right, have a good day.”

I wished her the same and severed the call. Why was I so hesitant to tell Anna what was going on with Alex? Was it because I didn’t want her sympathy, or maybe I was afraid to admit I was failing at my first relationship since Hugh. Maybe both. It wasn’t my fault though. This was all Alex’s doing. And just thinking about the hurt he was causing me, our relationship, our future began to make my blood boil. What right did he have to treat me this way? Yeah, I had told him to call me first, but maybe it was high time I paid him another visit.

With that thought in mind, I rose from the couch and headed for the shower.

~*~*~*~*~

The more and more I thought about Alex withholding the information about his dad from me, the more upset I got. That’s why after my shower, when I still hadn’t heard from him, I found myself once more on his doorstep. Before I could kick myself for bending and being the one to bridge the gap, I pressed the bell and waited for either him, or his mother, to answer.

When his knee weakening eyes met mine, I felt my heart skip a beat and nearly did turn around. But the thought of all the secrets he’d been hiding made me stay.

“How do you expect our relationship to work out if you don’t tell me everything?” I exploded at him before he could even say my name.

Shock registered on his face and he glanced behind him then slipped outside onto the porch, closing the door softly.

I blinked at that, half wondering if he had someone inside he didn’t want me to see. “What is wrong with you?! I’ve done nothing but love you and open myself up to you and you can’t even do the same to me!” Tears were blurring my vision and my insides were trembling with the emotions I was feeling. “I’ve told you everything about me, about my past, about my family and about Hugh and you don’t even have the decency to let me into your life!”

“Morgan.” He frowned some, but didn’t say anymore than my name.

“What?” My eyes blazed. “It’s been four days, Alex, and you haven’t even tried to contact me. Is that your way of letting me know it’s over? Are we done?”

“Baby, no.” A fleeting look of anguish passed over his face and he reached for my arm.

I yanked it away. “Don’t touch me and don’t call me baby!”

“Morgan.”

“Why haven’t you told me about your dad? Huh? Why have you never mentioned him?”

“My dad?” He looked confused.

“Yeah, Bob,” I spat out.

“Who told you…” he trailed off and a dark look passed through his eyes. “My mother.”

“Yeah, at least she opens up to me,” I threw out at him.

“That’s not fair.”

“Oh, you want to talk about what’s not fair?” I rose to my full height, feeling every muscles trembling.

“Morgan, no-”

But I didn’t let him finish. “I am so sick of this, Alex, so sick of it! Is this what you do? Let them get close to you then you freak out so you push them away any way you can? Are you that scared of a commitment? Did you even mean what you said about wanting to marry me and loving me?”

With that, he reached out and caught my arms, hauling me to his body before I could even blink. “Don’t you dare ever question my feelings towards you!” His voice was low, but I could still hear the tremble in them. “Everything I told you has been the truth and nothing but!”

“Yet you can’t even pick up the phone and call me.”

“You told me not to until I was ready.”

“And just how long were you going to take?” I struggled to get away as the tears pooled into my eyes and slipped down my cheeks.

“God, baby,” he released me then captured my face in his hands, his thumbs wiping at the dampness on my face, “please don’t cry.”

“Then… don’t make me,” my own voice trembled.

And with that he pulled me into his arms and held me close, resting his head against mine and smoothing a hand over my back and into my hair. “I’m so sorry.”

I wanted to crumble in his arms and let him hold me. I wanted to hug him close and never let go. But I didn’t; instead, I found the strength to pull away. “No, you can’t do this,” I shook my head and took a step back, wiping at my face, “you don’t get to just apologize and things are right again.”

“But… I thought that’s what you wanted.”

I stopped, blinking and just staring at him like he had grown another head. “You… you thought that’s what I wanted? You apologized because you thought I wanted you to?!” I was trembling again. “Did you even mean it?!”

He froze and I felt my heart slide right into my toes. “Y…you didn’t.”

“Yes, yes I did,” he quickly recovered.

“No, no you don’t!” I reached and shoved at his chest. “You don’t care! You’re not sorry!”

Alex stumbled back a step then caught himself. “Morgan, please, baby, just take a second and calm down.”

“Do not call me baby!”

His eyes darted towards the neighbor’s houses at my loud outburst. “Please, don’t shout.”

“Why not?! You don’t want people hearing us? You worried about something?” I folded my arms over my chest and watched him with a defiant expression.

“Yeah, the cops showing up,” he retorted.

He had a point. I sighed and raked a hand through my hair. “I don’t know what to do anymore, Alex. You won’t tell me what’s going on, you don’t tell me about your past, you don’t let me in on things in your life,” I wet my bottom lip, “I feel like I hardly know you.”

“Ba-Morgan,” he quickly corrected himself, his features softening, “you do know me.”

“Yeah, what you want me to know.”

“Fine, what do you want to know?”

“About your dad.”

“I believe my mom already told you about him.”

If he was standing any closer I would have slapped him. “Forget it, this is impossible. Was your goal here to drive us to break up? Is that what you’re aiming for?” I was on the verge of doing just that.

“No!” His eyes flashed at me before he looked off, bringing a hand to the back of his neck.

I looked down and rubbed my eyes. Getting upset and yelling at each other was not accomplishing anything. “Why didn’t you tell me about your father?”

He sighed. “I didn’t think it was important.”

“Not important?” I was shocked. “Alex, it’s what made you who you are, how is that not important?”

“Because I have no relationship with my father.”

I wanted to reach out and shake him. “Don’t you get it? Rather you have a relationship or not, he’s a part of you, a part of your past; something you’re supposed to be able to share with me. What else are you not telling me?”

“Nothing else.”

“Right. You didn’t tell me about footing your exes’ bills and you didn’t tell me about your dad. I’m sure there’s nothing else.”

He frowned at my sarcasm. “Damnit, Morgan, there is nothing else. You know about my career, you know about my drinking and drug problems.”

“Are you trying to drive me away?”

He hesitated. “No, I’m not trying to do anything.”

I folded my arms over my chest in an attempt to hide the trembles that threatened my body. “Really? Cuz that’s what it seems like to me. If I hadn’t come over here to try to talk to you again who knows how long you’d have gone without calling me, or coming to see me.”

“Morgan,” he ran a hand over his face then met my eyes, “I’m not trying to drive you away. You know I want nothing more than for us to be together.”

“Really? Cuz you don’t seem to be acting like it. In fact, to me, it looks like you’re distancing us, hoping that maybe I’ll give up and walk away. Would that make you happy?” I tilted my head. “If I happened to walk off this porch and never come back, would you be okay with that? Because it’s about ten feet to my car,” I took a step back, “and you have about ten seconds to decide.”

Alex’s brows drew together. “You don’t mean that.”

“No?” I took another step back. “Want to see just how much I mean that?” Inside, I didn’t want to do it. I wanted to stay there and force him into talking, into telling me what his problem was. But I didn’t think I had it in me anymore. I was tired of being the one to try to get through, being the one to go to him and try to make us work. Maybe he needed to see what it would be like if he continued with this behavior.

“Morgan, stop.” He reached for me.

“Why should I? You’re the one that refuses to talk to me. You’re the one that refuses to let me into whatever you’re going through. You don’t call me; you push me away when I try to talk to you. I don’t know what to do anymore, Alex!” My voice rose with each frustration.

His gaze fell and his shoulders hunched.

Tears began to well in my eyes again and a lump formed in my throat. “Y..you’d… you’d really let me,” I choked the words out, taking another step back.

“Morgan,” he brought his somber eyes to my teary ones, “it’s not that I’d let you, it’s just that…”

“I..I get the picture loud and clear.” Inside my chest, my heart was cracking into a million pieces. “I just…I never…I never thought it would happen to us. I…” I bit my bottom lip, trailing off as the tears ran down my cheeks.

“Morgan,” pain passed over his face and he reached for me, “I’m sorry, baby. This isn’t what I wanted to have happen at all.”

But it was too late for that. Ignoring his remarks, I turned on my heel and headed for my vehicle. But what really made my heart shatter was that he didn’t even try to stop me.

Chapter Fifty-One by summer
Author's Notes:
Geeze, time goes by too quickly. So sorry about the lack of updates, but Christmas is finally over and now I just have inventory to get through lol. But I'm working on more chps and as soon as they're finished, I'll be posting them as quickly as I can. I hope I haven't lost any readers and I want to thank you guys so much for hanging in there. I hope you enjoy!

 

I’m falling apart
I’m barely breathing
With a broken heart
That’s still beating


The soulful voice of the lead singer of Lifehouse crooned from my car radio as I steered down the freeway. It was dark, the night having fallen long ago, and I had no idea where I was. After leaving Alex’s I’d just driven. Anywhere I could get that would take me as far from him as possible. The pressure in my chest still hadn’t lessened like I hoped it would, but the tears had long since dried. At least they had until Broken had started to stream from the speakers.

With a trembling hand, I reached and wiped at my cheeks, trying to concentrate on the road ahead of me but my tears and the dark of night were making it difficult.

Finally, I pulled over to the side of the road and grabbed for some tissues.

The broken locks were a warning
You got inside my head
I tried my best to be guarded
I’m an open book instead


It was like they were singing to me, telling me exactly how I was feeling. I leaned over the wheel, my forehead resting on it and tried to stop the sobs that were escaping.

I’m hanging on another day
Just to see what you will throw my way
And I’m hanging on to the words you say
You said that-


I reached over and pushed the power button on the radio, cutting off the song. I was done hanging on. Tonight I had successfully let go and landed amongst the razor sharp rocks below. They were piercing my heart, but there was nothing I could do. Alex was clearly letting me go and I wasn’t going to be one of those girls that begged for another chance, or chased after him trying to figure out what had gone wrong. I already knew that; he had pushed me out and locked his heart away. His mother had been right all along; he had serious relationship issues.

Tossing the damp tissues to the side, I glanced around. Where the heck was I? I don’t even remember what roads I took or how far I’d come. Reaching to my navigation system I turned it on and let it figure out my location, my eyes nearly falling out of my head at what it read. I was just outside of Fresno, California. Holy canoley! I was over three hours away from Los Angeles! And a check of the time told me it’d be after midnight before I got back home.

That is….if I even went home tonight. Maybe I’d just find a hotel and crash there. I could call Dianna and she could run over and let Daisy out, give her some food and check her water dish.

The more and more I thought on that idea, the more I began to feel like yes, that’s what I wanted to do.

I was just about to pull my vehicle back on the freeway when red and blue lights suddenly illuminated around and I saw the police cruiser pull in behind me. Great. Sighing, I made sure to keep my hands on the wheel until the officer was at my window with his flashlight.

“Ma’am? Are you alright?” He questioned, once I had the window down.

I squinted in the light and gave a nod. “Yes, I was just programming my navigation system. I didn’t want to do that while driving.” I motioned towards my unit, the screen with the map of my location glowing bright in the darkness.

He scanned his light on the unit then back to my face. “Are you sure you’re alright? You look…” he trailed off and I was sure he wasn’t exactly comfortable with my swollen and red eyes.

“Yeah,” I rubbed my forehead, “actually no. I just had this huge fight with my boyfriend and I started driving not knowing where I was going and now I’m here and I don’t even know where here is exactly and I need to find a hotel,” the words rushed out before I could stop them and the tears filled my eyes once more.

The officer pressed his lips together then passed a white kerchief through the window. “Um… I’m real sorry about that, Ma’am.”

I took it with a nod of thanks and pressed it to my eyes, hating myself for crying in front of this stranger.

He watched me until I had calmed some, before speaking once more, “There’s some hotels not far from here. How ‘bout you follow me and I’ll take you there.”

I sniffed and cleared my throat. “O…okay, that…um that sounds good. Thank you so much.”

He gave a nod then headed back to his vehicle.

I waited until he was inside and had pulled around me and onto the road again before heading off behind him. At least he hadn’t written me a ticket or just told me to get on along and off the side of the road.

Twenty minutes later, he pulled his cruiser into the parking lot of a Motel 6 and parked by the office. I pulled in next to his and killed the engine, taking a second to get my composure and dignity before exiting the vehicle. The officer stepped from his as well and we met at the doors to the hotel. In the dim light from the parking lot I could see that he was rather tall with broad shoulders and dark eyes. He looked young; early to mid thirties and his nameplate read Officer Brighton. He wasn’t a bad looking guy with his tanned skin and wasn’t there always something said about a man in a uniform?

I fiddled with my car keys. “Um, thank you. You really didn’t have to.”

“Just doing my duty.” He touched my arm, a look of concern passing over his face. “Are you going to be okay?”

“Yeah, of course. I…just needed to figure out where I was.”

“There are maps in the lobby. Come, I’ll get you one.” He nodded his head towards the glass doors then strode for them.

I blinked then started after him. “You really don’t have to do that. I have a GPS unit in the car, actually.”

He didn’t seem to hear me, or chose not to, for he entered the office, did a quick scan and moved over to the wall lined with maps and different travel brochures. “Here we go, Northern California,” he spoke as he selected the appropriate map and held it towards me.

“Thank you.” I accepted it, fiddling with it in my hands and wondering if the cop was this thorough with every task he undertook. “I’ll look it over.”

“Good.” He nodded in approval then touched my arm and motioned towards the front desk just as the man behind it asked if he could be of assistance.

Within moments I had a room secured and was given my keycard. They desk clerk had even put together a basket of necessities I would need that I hadn’t brought with me. I thanked him graciously then turned and found Officer Brighton still there.

He smiled when our eyes met and pushed from the doorframe he was leaning against. “I just wanted to make sure you got your room okay.”

“Yeah,” I waved my keycard some, “everything’s good. They even provided me with a few extra things.” I lifted the basket in my hand a little higher.

“Good.” His grin showed off two rows of perfectly straight, white teeth.

“Yes,” I wet my bottom lip, “and um…thank you, again.”

“Don’t mention it.” He tugged his cap some. “I should be getting back out there before they wonder where I went.” He hesitated then met my eyes. “Take care of yourself.”

“I will. Thank you.”

He gave a nod, his gaze lingering just a moment longer before he turned and strode back out the doors and into the night.

With my map, purse and basket of goodies, I found my way to my room and inside. It was a cozy, single room with a queen sized bed and khaki and dark green striped curtains. A table and two chairs were off to the side and the bathroom had a large tub and creamy marble tile.

Within minutes I had washed my face and brushed my teeth. Upon climbing onto the large bed, I took my phone and checked the time then dialed my neighbor.

“Hello,” she answered on the second ring.

“Dianna, hey.”

“Hey yourself,” her rich voice chimed back. “What’s going on?”

I could feel it on the tip of my tongue to tell her everything. “Um, actually, I needed a quick favor.”

“Sure, hon, what’s that?”

“Do you think you could run over to my house, or send Manny, and let Daisy out for a few then get her some food and water?”

“Ooh, staying at Alex’s, huh?”

I could never lie to her. “Not exactly.”

“Oh? Where are you?”

I paused a moment. “Fresno.”

“Fresno?” She sounded as confused as I felt. “What are you doing in Fresno?”

“I wish I knew.” I gave a sigh. “Alex and I broke up and I just started driving and ended up here.”

“What? Morgan! How…what…what happened?”

The tears were threatening my eyes once more. “I…he…” it felt like too much to go into over the phone, “I don’t know if I can do this on the phone, Dianna.”

“Oh honey, that’s alright, you don’t have to. Are you coming back tomorrow?”

“Yeah.” I wiped at my eyes.

“Okay, then we’ll talk tomorrow. And I’ll send Manuel over to take care of Daisy.”

“Thank you.”

“It’s no problem, Morgan. You just take care of yourself and if you need anything, just call me, okay?”

I had to smile; Dianna was one of the best people I knew. “Okay, thank you, again.”

“You’re welcome.”

I wished her goodnight then finally hung up. Setting the phone on the nightstand, I took up the remote and wiggled myself under the blankets. Sleep wasn’t going to come easily to me tonight and the television would help take my mind off things. Shifting the pillows up behind me, I leaned into them then pressed the power button on the remote and the screen came to life. Maybe there’d be an interesting movie on, or maybe something dull enough to lull me to sleep. Whichever the case was, I knew one thing for certain; it was going to be a long night.

~*~*~*~*~

Officer Brighton was downstairs when I emerged from the elevator at checkout time. He was dressed in some jeans and a nicely pressed blue polo with dark blond hair combed neatly. I didn’t recognize him until he approached and his dark eyes twinkled.

“Remember me?”

I blinked some and looked him over before realizing who he was. “Officer Brighton.” I was more than surprised at him being there, even more so surprised that he wasn’t in his uniform.

“Please, call me Travis. And with everything going on last night, I didn’t get your name.”

I blinked. “Oh, um, I’m Morgan.”

“Morgan,” he grinned, “that’s a pretty name.”

“Thank you.” I shifted my handbag and motioned towards the front desk. “Um, I’m going to go check out.”

“Oh, of course. “He motioned me to go ahead.

Moving past him, I headed for the front desk, wondering why Officer Brighton was here. Maybe he wanted to make sure I knew how to get back to the freeway and the direction to go that’d take me back to LA. Shrugging it off, I went about getting checked out and tucked the receipts into my wallet. I thanked the desk clerk then turned and found the officer waiting with his hands in his pockets and his shoulders hunched, leaning casually against the wall.

He straightened when our eyes met, pulling his hands from his pockets and smoothing his shirt. “So, um, have you eaten yet?”

I hadn’t been hungry all night or this morning until he spoke those words, then my stomach gave a growl and I realized just how famished I was. “Actually, no.”

A grin spread across his face. “There’s this diner across the street, it’s a pretty decent place. They have some of the best coffee in all of California.”

Was he inviting me to go with him? I should have said no, but my hunger was getting the best of me and I gave a nod. “That sounds really good.”

Soon we were seated across from each other in a cozy little diner, sipping some coffee and waiting for our breakfast to be served.

“So, where are you from?” Travis questioned over the mug of his coffee as he took a sip then set it down onto the little saucer.

“Los Angeles.”

“And you drove all the way up here not knowing where you were going?”

I chuckled low, feeling a blush creeping into my cheeks. “I was distraught.”

“Oh right, a fight with the boyfriend.”

“Yeah, a bad one.” I frowned as I thought back over what had transpired on his front porch. “I don’t think he’s my boyfriend anymore.”

“No?”

Was the corner of his mouth tugging up into a grin? I couldn’t tell and it didn’t matter anyway. “No.”

He was quiet a moment, his dark eyes gentle and sympathetic. “Want to talk about it?”

“I don’t even know you.”

“Sometimes that’s the best thing. You can talk freely, not censor yourself or worry if I’ll take up for this guy.”

He had a point. I sighed and chewed my bottom lip, fiddling with the corner of a napkin. “Are you off work today?”

“Yeah, I don’t work Mondays or Tuesdays.”

I gave a little nod. “Do you have a girlfriend?” I hadn’t noticed a wedding ring on his finger.

A look of something distant crossed through his eyes and he shook his head. “No.”

I chewed my cheek and fiddled with the napkin.

“So, what did this boyfriend of yours do that caused this bad fight?”

“It’s complicated. We haven’t exactly had the easiest of relationships and for awhile things were really great. But then they just started getting bogged down and everything turned sour.”

“Something had to have caused that. It doesn’t just go downhill for no reason.”

“I found out that he was still paying some of his ex-girlfriends bills and then it just snowballed from there.” I tilted my head, studying the patterns on the Formica tabletop. “I told him I couldn’t marry him if he continued to pay their bills and he thought I was giving him an ultimatum. That isn’t what it was though. Hell, we aren’t even close to being married yet. I just,” I struggled to find the words to explain myself, “I was hoping that he would realize that he really wants to be with me and to realize that it isn’t right to pay for his exes ways. I wanted him to pick me over them…but he didn’t.”

Travis listened intently then leaned forward after I had finished. “That doesn’t sound so horrible. It’s just a fight; I think the relationship is still salvageable.”

My eyes lifted to his face. “There’s more.”

“Oh?”

I sighed some and paused while the waitress set our plates down. After she was gone and I was preparing my hash browns with ketchup, I continued, “We didn’t talk for a few days. I had told him not to call me until he was ready to sit down and discuss everything that we were dealing with. There was something he wasn’t telling me and he refused to, so I told him not to call me until he was ready to tell me about it. But he never did.” I frowned. “Who knows how long he woulda gone if I hadn’t finally decided to go back and see him.

“But it was the same thing, the same argument and his same stubbornness not to let me in. I can’t handle that. I’ve told him everything I was dealing with and about my past and he can’t even do the same. If I bring something up, he brushes it aside or changes the subject or just plain refuses to discuss it. He was trying to drive me away. He has issues and I guess he’ll only let someone get so close before he freaks out and does everything he can to push ‘em away.” I stared into my food. “The worst part was, he just let me leave.”

“Sounds like he’s scared of something.”

I shook my head, discovering my appetite had left once again. “Yeah, he’s scared of losing me. But can’t he see that’s what’s happening now?”

“Well,” Travis swirled his fork in his eggs, “maybe him driving you away isn’t the same as if you two were together and then something happened and you left him.”

I frowned. “I’m the one that should be scared of losing him.”

“Why?”

I had to blink back the tears that were trying to escape. “Just…because of what I’ve lost in the past.”

Travis watched me, eating on his breakfast and wiping his mouth before speaking, “You want to know what I think?”

“Yes, please.”

He nodded and set his napkin back in his lap. “He’s obviously scared of how intense your relationship is getting; rather it be from previous experiences or something that happened in his life to scar him, but he is. And so he thinks that by driving you away, it’ll save you both a lot of heartache in the long run.”

I watched him intently, only half believing I was spilling my problems to a complete stranger; and a male one at that. “So, he drives me away so I don’t end up hurting him?”

Travis shrugged a shoulder. “That’s my take on it. He thinks if he puts a stop to it, then he won’t end up bruised or broken.”

“That’s so stupid!”

“It is, but people who have been hurt or are afraid to get close build those kinds of walls to protect themselves.”

“He isn’t protecting anybody.”

Travis reached across the table and rested his hand over mine. “We know this, but he doesn’t.”

My frown grew. “So, what am I supposed to do?”

“There’s not much you can do. You can’t keep trying to pound it into his head, because he won’t listen and rationalize until he’s the one that realizes it and understands that he does it.”

My shoulders slumped and I sagged into the booth. “How do I make him realize?”

“I dunno if there’s any way that you can.”

“How do you know so much about this?”

He gave a little shrug and turned back to his food, his demeanor shifting.

I watched his attitude change rather quickly and tilted my head. “Did that happen to you?”

“No.” He found his omelet extremely interesting.

“Oh, come on. I’ve told you my troubling drama. What’s yours?” His eyes darkened and I could see the hurt in them. It made me want to reach out and touch him. “Travis?”

He wet his bottom lip then lifted his coffee colored eyes to mine. “My wife was a therapist. I helped her study for grad school.”

I think my eyes nearly fell out of my head. “Your wife? You’re married?”

“Was. She um…she passed away almost two years ago.”

I felt like someone had just kicked me in the chest. “Sh…she did?” Then I snapped back to myself. “I’m so sorry.”

“Thank you.” Travis gave a little sigh and turned back to his food, swirling his fork around in what was left on his plate.

And now I had no appetite whatsoever. I pushed my plate to the side and suddenly wanted to tell him everything; let him know he wasn’t the only one going through something like this and that it would get better, even when it seemed like there was no possible way it could.

“May I, um… ask what happened?”

“She was hit by a drunk driver. Died instantly they told me.”

My heart wrenched for him and this time I did reach for his hand. “My husband passed just over two years ago. He hit a jackknifed semi and died instantly too.”

Travis blinked. “You were married?”

“For two years. And I thought after he died… I was going to as well.”

“Yeah, I know what you mean. We’d been married for almost four.”

“Any children?”

“A little girl. She’s three and a half.” A grin tugged at the corner of his mouth. “She’s my heart and soul. Looks just like her mother.”

I smiled. “Do you have a picture?”

“Of course.” And then he was extracting a photo of a beautiful, blue eyed, blonde haired little girl with dimples in her cheeks from his wallet and we spent the rest of the breakfast talking about Meadow Victoria Brighton. By the time breakfast ended I felt like I knew the little girl personally.

It was later than I wanted it to be once we finally left the diner. Travis walked me back across the street to my car and bid me adieu. He thanked me for the comfortable conversation and I thanked him for his words of wisdom. They would definitely give me something to mull over on the four hour drive back to LA. But maybe that’s what I needed, because I wasn’t through with Alex, not by a long shot. And I knew he wasn’t through with me either.

With that thought in mind, I pulled away from the Motel 6 and headed back towards Los Angeles and to the man who still carried my heart, no matter how many times he tried to throw it to the wayside.

Chapter Fifty-Two by summer
Author's Notes:
Another update! Sorry about the delay there, but I really appreciate everyone hanging in there and continuing to offer feedback. I hope you're enjoying it so far and will keep letting me know! It really does help keep me motivated. Thanks so much! :)

 

I arrived safely back home Monday afternoon. There were no messages from Alex. I didn’t expect there to be, but it still hurt. I didn’t understand how a man who was so adamant about us belonging together was just going to let me walk out of his life; especially after everything we’d been through together. How special he was to me and how much he had helped me overcome my grief and move on to another relationship. I wanted to drive back to his house and yell that at him, to shake him until something in his brain clicked and he realized what a moron he was being. But I didn’t. I had made it clear when I walked away that it’d be for good, and he’d made it even clearer about that when he didn’t try to stop me.

Dianna was in my kitchen when I arrived home and after checking on Daisy, making up some coffee and taking a shower and changing into some fresh clothes, we settled on the sofa in the family room. I relayed my tale about our disagreements and his behavior, going back over everything that had transpired from the night she told me the news about the baby up until that morning. She listened wordlessly, letting me just get everything out, sipping her coffee and giving a nod, or a sympathetic touch when it seemed needed. I appreciated that she didn’t lecture me for not going to her earlier and seemed to be taking everything in stride.

Finally, after finishing my exhausting account, she spoke her thoughts, “That cop is right; he sounds like he’s scared.”

“Well, it freaks me out too, somewhat, but you don’t see me pushing him away and just letting what we have go down the drain.”

“Everyone is different, Morgan,” she pulled her legs up onto the sofa and tucked them beneath her, “he may not be handling the situation the right way, or in a way you like, but that’s just who he is.”

“So every time we have some kind of…issue, this is how he’s going to behave?”

Her caramel eyes watched me. “Have you stopped to think about why he’s scared, or what he’s freaking out about?”

“Do we even know that that’s what this is?”

“No, but that’s what it seems to be all signs are pointing to.”

I sighed. “Alright, so let’s say he’s freaking out about us….why? It’s not like I can just go up and ask him, because every time I try to get close, or delve into what’s bothering him, he puts a wall up.”

“Maybe he’s afraid you’ll think badly of him, or he’ll tell you something that will make you run.”

“What could he possibly tell me that will make me run? I already know about his drinking problems, I know about his past drug use, I know about his career.”

She chuckled. “Maybe he’s a serial killer.”

“Dianna,” I frowned, “I’m being serious here.”

She cleared her throat. “Right, sorry. Okay, so …well, maybe it has something to do with his parents. You said his dad left him when he was really little, right?”

I nodded.

She shrugged. “Well, everyone is a product of their environment. And, obviously, he’s had a pretty rough childhood, so maybe he has preconceived ideas that the same thing will happen to him.”

“He thinks he’s going to walk out on me and leave me with a child?” I lifted my brows.

“Or, he’s worried you’ll walk out on him.” Our eyes met and I felt a shiver run down my spine at that thought.

“I’m not going to just leave him.”

“I know that,” Dianna reached and took my hand, giving it a comforting squeeze, “but coming from a guy who watched his dad walk out of his life, and only want back in when he became famous, can you blame him for thinking the same thing might happen to him?”

I fell silent, looking down into my mug of creamy, brown liquid. “So, what do I do?” I questioned in a soft voice.

She gave a little sigh. “You’re not going to like it.”

I lifted my gaze and met hers. “What?”

“You need to talk to him.”

She was right; I didn’t like it. “Go to him, again?” I frowned at that thought. “I’m tired of being the one to keep on keeping on. If he wants to salvage what we have, it’s his turn to come to me.”

“Morgan, honey, you don’t get it.”

I frowned even more, crease lines appearing in my forehead. “Get what?”

“Honey, rather he realizes it or not, he’s sort of testing you. If you just let it go, then he’s going to think he was right, that it wouldn’t have worked out and that you two don’t belong together.”

“How? He’s the one that drove me away. It wasn’t like we were married and I just up and left.”

“I know that, but I doubt he is rationalizing those thoughts right now.” She leaned to the coffee table and set her mug onto a coaster, before settling back into the couch again. “If you go back to him, refuse to let him give up on this, on you, then he’s going to see that you are willing to fight for everything you have. And the more he pushes, the more you push right back.” She watched me with a concerned look. “You need to fight for this, fight for him. Show him that nothing is going to cause you to leave. He probably doesn’t even realize why he does this, but you have to be the one to show him that he’s not going to get away with it.”

Her words made sense, but did I have the strength and energy it was going to take to make him see all that? “I… I don’t know, Dianna. It just…it sounds exhausting. I mean, what if it keeps going on like this back and forth. I don’t know if I have that much tenacity to keep at it, over and over and around and around the merry-go-round.”

“Oh Morgan,” she touched my arm, “nothing worthwhile in life is ever easy.”

“What if he doesn’t let me? What if he… he keeps rebelling, so to say? What if he…cheats on me or something? I can’t degrade myself and keep going back to a man who does not want me.”

She watched me a moment before speaking, “What do you want?”

I left my head fall back against the couch. “I want everything to be okay again; where it was easy and fun and simple.”

“Then you have to do this. You have to push through hard times to get to those sweet places. There’s nothing as wonderful as the rainbow after the storm, Morgan. You know that.”

I did. And deep down, I knew that I wanted to do this, but it wasn’t making admitting it any easier.

“And if it helps, just remember how he fought for you. How he didn’t let you push him away and climb back into your dark corner. It’s your turn, hon. It’s time to pull him outta his.”

~*~*~*~*~

I needed to take a few days to think over mine and Dianna’s conversation. She really was right. He had fought hard for me. I had tried to push him away, to block him out and stay in my dark little corner. But he’d torn open the windows and shed light throughout the room, and it had lit me inside. I didn’t want our relationship to end; I knew that Alex was the one for me and if we went our separate ways, there wouldn’t be anyone else. So, I would have to buck it up and put my foot down. I just hoped it wouldn’t backfire in my face and ruin everything.

The perfect time came Thursday evening. I found out at work that I had won the Hawaii trip. Unfortunately, Anna had lost to Dixon, by one house. She was excited for me though, told me to take Alex and go have a great time on the beautiful island. We were supposed to leave the following weekend and as I drove away from the office, I wondered if I should ask Anna to come, because who knows how things would be between myself and Alex. We hadn’t talked since Sunday, and every time I thought about going over to speak to him, my stomach would tighten and my pulse would start racing.

Dianna tried to coax me and I would keep telling her that I needed to just think about it. This wasn’t a decision to make lightly. But as I steered my Saturn down the congested freeway, I found myself wanting to tell Alex about my win and how disappointed I was that Anna hadn’t gotten the other ticket. Instead, I would be joined by Dixon, who lately has been alright, but he wasn’t Anna. I wanted to tell him about Dianna’s baby and how she slowly seemed to be coming around to the idea of being a mother, I wanted to tell him how Daisy was missing Bernie something awful and I wanted to ask how his dog was doing with his fight against cancer.

I just wanted to be with him, to see his face and touch him, to wrap myself in his arms and never let go. And maybe that was why, instead of taking the turnoff for my home, I wound up passing it and taking the one for Alex’s. I really wasn’t fully aware of my actions until I was in his driveway, staring up at his massive home and kicking myself for allowing my subconscious to take over and lead me here. I had two choices; I could turn around and pretend this didn’t happen, or I could confront it face to face.

I chose the second and soon was on his porch, listening to the bell echo on the other side of the door.

Denise opened it a moment later and her eyes lit up. “Morgan!”

I felt my stomach dip and fiddled nervously with the edge of my blouse. “Um, hi, Denise.”

She glanced behind her then stepped out onto the porch, wrapping me in a hug. “How are you? Oh gosh, I’ve missed you.”

I felt myself smiling at that, returning the hug then pulling back. “I’m alright, how are you?”

“I’m doing good. I’m so glad you’re here, I was afraid I wouldn’t get to see you again before I left.”

“When do you leave?”

“On Saturday.”

Wow, two weeks had really flown by. “Gosh, it feels like you just got here.”

“I know.” She squeezed my arm then grew serious. “Are you here to see Alex?”

I peeked towards the partially closed door then back to her. “Is he um… is he here?”

She nodded. “And he’s in a great mood.” She blinked some realizing how that sounded considering we had been broken up only a few days now. “Bernie got his latest test results and they can’t find any signs of cancer anywhere.”

“Really?” I couldn’t help the grin that spread on my face, then I was hugging her again. “That’s great!”

She laughed. “It’s wonderful! Alex was so afraid it had spread because he’s seemed so depressed and lethargic, but the vet says the cancer is gone and he seems perfectly healthy.”

I had a feeling his behavior had to do with my dog, because she was acting the same way, almost. “Well, maybe he’ll snap out of it soon. He probably is just so used to feeling ill that it’s going to take a little bit before he realizes he’s not.”

She chuckled. “Let’s hope so.”

I smiled again and squeezed her arm then looked towards the door. “So um, where is he?”

Denise motioned me to go on in. “He’s in the backyard. Go ahead; you two definitely need to talk. My son can be one of the most stubborn and bullheaded people I know and I apologize for that. He really needs someone who will cut through all his crap and put their foot down. He’s so used to getting his way that sometimes it’s hard for him to accept when he doesn’t.”

I almost chuckled at that, but didn’t. Instead, I stepped into the house and looked back to her. “I’m going to try, Denise, but no promises.”

“I understand.” She joined me inside, closing the door behind her. “Doesn’t mean I won’t have my fingers crossed, now go.”

I thanked her again then made my way through his house and into the breakfast area, stopping at the double doors leading into the backyard. I could see Alex with his dogs, tossing a toy bone to them both, Ozzie being the only one that seemed interested. He’d bark then race to where it had landed and bring it back, eager to go after it again. Bernie would just watch the throw then look to Ozzie all expectantly. I pouted at that, knowing that had I brought Daisy, the older dog would become just as animated as the other.

Alex looked relaxed and in good spirits and my heart dipped at just the sight of him. Butterflies were racing in my stomach and I had to force myself from turning and slipping away. No, I had to do this, I had to reach down deep inside myself and find that courage I needed to walk out there and confront the man I loved. It wouldn’t be so bad; I just had to remember that he had fought for me. I could do the same; I could do this.

With that in mind, I pulled the door open and stepped outside.

Ozzie spotted me first, his little legs bouncing him before he came barreling at me. Bernie was right behind him, his long tail wagging as he raced over the grass and headed in my direction.

I felt my heartstrings tug as both dogs seemed excited to see me. Crouching down, I spent a moment greeting each one, petting and loving on them, avoiding Alex’s gaze and knowing he was watching us. Bernie sniffed at me and moved around me, nudging me with his nose and I smoothed my hand down his back, telling him I was sorry that Daisy wasn’t with me.

After a moment, they both seemed content with their greetings then ambled back towards their master. That’s when I rose to my feet and lifted my eyes to his, feeling a sharpness slice through my chest as our gazes locked and those expressive eyes pierced my soul.

I let out a breath, not realizing I was holding one, and debated on rather or not to move closer. But my fear won out and I stayed rooted in place.

“Wha…um…what are you doing here?” Alex finally broke the silence and my heart leapt at the sound of his voice.

I rubbed my hands on my pants, hoping I could find my voice. “Denise told me about Bernie; that’s wonderful.”

A small grin tugged at the handsome man’s lips. “It is,” he hesitated, “thank you.”

“You’re welcome.”

We watched each other for a moment, before he spoke again, “So, um…what’s going on?”

“Um…I…we…we need to talk,” I managed out, feeling the knots in my stomach tightening even more than they already were.

Alex shoved his hands in his pockets and gave a nod. “Alright.”

I wet my bottom lip, trying to decide how to begin this conversation. Slowly, or quick… like pulling off a band-aid. Finally, I just dove in, “Are you afraid that if we do get married, I’m going to just leave one day?”

He blinked then his eyes darkened as my words registered. “Of course not.”

“You’re acting like it.”

“How am I acting like it?”

“You’re pushing me away. You’re doing everything in your willpower to drive me as far away from you as you possibly can. I thought you wanted us to be together. You wanted us to be a couple. You were the one who said we belonged together; that it was fate.”

He blinked at my barrage of words then quickly recovered. “I do want us to be together.”

I snorted and folded my arms over my chest. “You sure have a funny way of showing it.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“You know damn well what it means, Alex.” I found my anger heating up and tried to put a lid on it. “You’ve done nothing to try and make this relationship work. All you’ve succeeded in doing is driving it further apart.”

“That isn’t fair-”

“Fair?” I cut him off and lifted a brow. “I’ll tell you what’s not fair; you won’t talk to me about your dad, you won’t talk to me about what you’re afraid of, you won’t tell me why you’ve suddenly done a 180 and are acting like a completely different person!” My voice was rising, but I didn’t care.

“Is that what this is about? My father?” He spat the words at me, matching my stance with his own.

“It’s not about your father, it’s about you!” I wanted to shove him into the pool and hope the cold water would help him realize that. “I feel like I’m the only one fighting for this relationship. If it were up to you, it’d go to hell in a hand basket and you would probably care less.”

“Why are you painting me as a heartless bastard?”

“Because you’re acting like one!”

“You have no idea what I’m going through, what I’ve been through.”

If I could have reached him, I probably would have shaken him at that comment. “Because you won’t let me, Alex. You won’t tell me what is going on, or what happened in the past. You are hiding it from me and using it as a shield to drive us apart. You preach that you don’t want that to happen, but your actions are speaking a hell of a lot louder than your words. If I hadn’t come over here today, we probably would have never talked again.”

He didn’t respond and I knew I had been right. Tears stung my eyes at that thought and I blinked them away.

“I don’t know what to do anymore,” I continued. “You’re too stubborn for your own good and you refuse to let me help you, you refuse to let your walls down and let me in. Are you afraid that it’ll show you as weak and vulnerable? Like you can’t take care of yourself?”

“I can take care of myself just fine.”

I sighed and raked my fingers through my hair. It was like talking to a brick wall; I wasn’t getting anywhere. “You know what, Alex, Dianna told me to come over here. She told me to fight for you, to fight for us. To put my foot down and not let you continue to pull this shit with our relationship. But I don’t think I can do that,” I shook my head, fighting to control my voice, “I can’t fight for something that you don’t want or that you aren’t ready for. You have to battle your own demons, because I can’t do it for you.”

“I don’t expect you to “battle my demons”.” He used finger quotes, frowning at what I was suggesting.

“No, you most certainly do not,” my words were soft, all the fight gone from them.

“Morgan…” He sighed and took a step towards me.

“No,” I drew back, shaking my head. “I can’t do this, Alex. I can’t keep trying to hold our relationship together only to have you pulling it apart. You say you want it, but I don’t know if you really do.”

“Morgan, baby,” he drew closer, reaching for me, “you know how I feel about you.”

I took a step back, knowing once his scent enveloped me, I might fall right into his arms. “I know how I feel. I know that you have a lot of thinking to do. I know that it’s scary as hell, but you can’t get to the good times if you don’t go through the bad. And I know that if you don’t get your act together, don’t work out your issues, you’re going to lose the best damn thing that has happened to you. So stop with the pity party, get your head out of your ass and take the leap of faith, because contrary to what you think, I will be there for you.”

He stopped in his place, his eyes searching my face. “It’s not that easy.”

“Like hell it isn’t.” I tilted my head. “Remember what you told me a long time ago; that first night I stayed at your place after our date to Catalina Island?”

“I told you a lot of things.”

“Yes, but that night after you kissed me that first time.” Tears welled into my eyes and this time I didn’t bothering forcing them away. “You.. you told me you can’t cling to your anger or pain because they take up all your energy. You told me the past is the past and we can’t change it. We have to live for today and live for ourselves. And sometimes, it hurts more to hold onto something then to let it go. Can’t you see what that’s doing to you? To us?” I motioned between us with my hand, the tears now sliding down my cheeks. “If you really, truly believe in us then you have to let it go. And if you can’t let it go for you, please, let it go for me.”

He sighed and looked away, unable to keep my gaze.

I shook my head. “You’ve done so much for me, Alex. You…you’ve brought me back to a place I thought I would never be again. But I don’t know what to say to you, or do to help you. You won’t let me help you.” I knew my next words were going to break my heart all over again and a lump formed in my throat, “I just have to let you go. I hope you’re happy and I hope you know that you’ll never have with anyone else what you had with me.” I hesitated only a fraction of a second. “Goodbye, Alex.” Then I turned and hurried away before he could call me back or I could change my mind.

I knew Dianna wasn’t going to be happy, but sometimes, holding on hurt more than letting go.

End Notes:

 

Don't be mad ....lol

Chapter Fifty-Three by summer
Author's Notes:
I'm back with another update! Thank you so much for the continued support and reviews. I really appreciate it and all the feedback really does help me stay focused and keep the chapters coming. Sorry to make so many of you upset hehe....but just keep the faith and trust me. And enjoy this next chapter. :)

 

In the end, Dianna supported my decision. She spent the night Thursday and we ate ice cream and watched sad movies all night. I got Anna to take some of my house showings and cleared my schedule for Friday, then I just moped around the house. Dianna tried to talk me into going shopping with her, but I didn’t have the energy. So she went on her own then came over that evening to show me the things she had bought. We ended up staying up until the wee hours of the morning once more and I finally sent her home to her husband. She needed her rest and to stop worrying about me. I would be fine, but if she didn’t take care of herself, her baby might not be.

Saturday, I took Daisy jogging on the beach. We made it as far as the first place Alex and I met before I had to turn back, tears blurring my vision. Daisy was sympathetic towards me; she sensed something wasn’t right and refused to leave my side, making sure she was there tucked next to me for whatever I may need her for.

It was a hard weekend; I had to force myself not to call Alex and try to talk some sense into him once more. It wouldn’t do any good; he obviously didn’t want our relationship to continue. Numerous times he had just let me walk away and I couldn’t keep coming back. It was over, we were finished.

My throat tightened every time I thought about that and I tried hard not to cry, but sometimes you just can’t control it. And when you’re in a hot shower with the sounds of the water running to disguise your tears, they just come, streaming down your face and your soul exposing to the steam filling the bathroom.

I was emptied out by the time Sunday night rolled around. I had cried for everything; for myself, for Alex, for our relationship, for our future, for the loss of someone so important to me, for the loss of someone I loved so much that it ached. It wasn’t like with Hugh, when I knew he was gone for good and I’d never see him again, but it certainly felt like that. Sure, I could have stayed with him and put up with his crap, but I’m not that kind of a person and I respect myself to much to let a guy do me wrong. Besides, it wouldn’t have been a healthy relationship. And if I hadn’t ended it, who knows the kind of direction it would have gone and the damage it would have done to both of us.

I didn’t want people’s sympathies, or to have to rehash what had gone sour between the two of us, so I avoided my mother’s phone calls and even Anna’s. Alex didn’t call me and I didn’t expect him to. And by Monday, I had decided I was going to hold my head high and get on with my life. I had spent too much time grieving over Hugh, I couldn’t do that again. So instead, I threw myself into my work, selling three houses by Wednesday and acquiring a couple new clients. Zoe was ecstatic and when I opened my paycheck on Friday I was surprised to see a nice, fat bonus.

Friday was also the day Officer Travis Brighton contacted me. He called just as I was heading out to the door for the airport and my flight to Hawaii. We didn’t get to talk long, but it was long enough to tell him that it was definitely over between Alex and me. He expressed his sympathies and offered an ear or a shoulder if ever needed. I conveyed my appreciation and thanked him, telling him I would certainly keep it in mind. We made small talk for a few and he filled me in on how his daughter was doing before I told him I had to catch a flight and we ended the call.

Upon arriving at the airport, I noted Anna hadn’t made it yet. With Dixon winning the other ticket, and Alex and I not a couple anymore, he obviously wouldn’t be accompanying me to Hawaii. So I had asked Anna and, surprisingly, she’d agreed. We were supposed to meet at the ticket counter, but she was nowhere in sight. A quick call to her cell phone told me she had already shut it off, so I slipped mine back into my purse and checked into my flight. She’d be here shortly, or maybe she was already at the gate.

Making a stop in the gift shop on the way to the gate, I picked up a couple magazines and a pack of gum. My carry-on had some books, a crossword puzzle and my iPod to occupy me on our long flight over the ocean. But with how much Anna and I could talk, I wasn’t planning on using the other things very often.

Dixon Giles was the only person to greet me when I reached our gate. He had a buxom blonde with him and I was sure that if she bent over in even the slightest way, the tiny skirt she was wearing would slip up and show off her panties; if she was even wearing any.

We exchanged pleasantries and he introduced the blonde as Karie. Karie seemed as capable of having a conversation with you as you could with a door. I had no idea how Dixon could handle being around her, but then again, I’m not a guy and I don’t think with things below my shoulders. I asked about Anna, but he didn’t have a clue as to her whereabouts. He wasn’t even aware she was tagging along.

With a sigh, I pulled my phone out and tried her once more, but to no avail. She better not miss her flight, I was really looking forward to some girl time in Hawaii, escaping all thoughts of Alex and really trying to move on with my life.

By the time they were calling for us to board, there was still no Anna, which really had me worried so this time I placed a call to her house. Greg picked up and after a moment, Anna was on the line.

“Anna, why are you at home? We’re boarding the plane?” I hissed, covering my free ear with my hand to block out the call to board.

“I know, Morgan, and I’m so sorry, but something’s come up with Abigail and I can’t make it.”

“What? Is she okay?” I glanced towards the line that was slowly moving into the jetway.

“Yes, she’s alright, but I just don’t have time to get to the airport. I’m so sorry. I know you were excited for a girl’s weekend, but I promise to make it up to you when you get back.”

“Why didn’t you call me?”

“I haven’t had time; I was about to when you called me.”

I sighed at that. “Alright, its okay, I was just worried something had happened to you.”

“Oh goodness, no. I’m okay and so are Abi and Greg.”

“Good,” I nodded at Dixon as he waved me to join them and board the flight, “but you do realize you’re leaving me alone with Dixon, and he’s brought some blonde bimbo with him.”

Anna laughed. “Ooh, I’m so sorry. Just put your iPod on and try your best to ignore them.”

“Yeah, easier said then done.” I sighed. “Alright, I gotta go, we’re about to get on. I’m glad things are okay and I’ll call you when I get back.”

“You can tell me all about it.” She giggled some.

“Deal. Later, chickie.” Then I hung up and shut my phone off, sliding it down into my carryon and joining the quickly thinning line to board the flight.

Once I was onto the actual plane, I checked my boarding pass for the seat and blinked a little bit at the row it had me in; 3A. If my knowledge about a plane meant anything, that sounded like it was in First Class. Wow, Zoe must really love us if she’s fronting for First Class tickets. I wondered if Bimbo Girl had first class as well.

“Hey,” I called to Dixon as he started to head into the coach section, “where are you going?”

“Uh,” he looked at me like I was an idiot, “to my seat.”

“No, we’re seated in First Class.” I motioned to my boarding pass, pointing out the seat direction.

“Huh?” He doubled checked his boarding pass and shook his head. “No, I’m in 12D, see.” He held it towards me to view.

I frowned and stepped out of the way of the people behind me. “Well, that’s weird. Why would Zoe put me in First Class and you in coach?”

Dixon chuckled low and gave a little shrug. “Because you came in first?”

“Yeah, but that’s not fair.”

He gave a little shrug then winked at me. “It’s no worries though, babe. I’m gonna be just fine here in coach. Later on, I’ll even be joining the Mile High Club.”

I made a face. “Ew, I did not need to hear that.” Then leaving him laughing, I showed my pass to the flight attendant and headed into the First Class cabin. Maybe I should be glad I’m not sitting anywhere near Dixon or his playboy playmate.

Grateful for that, I found my seat and stowed my roller suitcase in the overhead before sitting and stashing my bag into the storage behind the seat in front of me, I sighed and relaxed back in the nice, roomy chair. This wouldn’t be bad for the flight at all. Glancing to the window right there on my left, I watched out at the airport then to my watch, noting it was nearly time for takeoff.

Pulling my tote bag back out, I dug out the real estate magazine I had bought and settled back into the chair. I was halfway through reading an article about financing when I felt the plane starting to push back from the gate. Glancing up, I watched out the window as we slowly moved back and then the intercom started up and the First Class flight attendant began her spiel about buckling and airline safety. I looked towards her and nearly jerked at the body in the seat next to mine. I hadn’t even noticed when they had sat down.

“I’m sorry, did I scare you?”

The minute he spoke, I felt my heart drop directly into my feet. He didn’t even need to look at me and I knew who it was. “Wh…what are you doing here?”

Alex gave a little shrug, his eyes shifting towards me then back to the flight attendant, who was demonstrating how to use the oxygen masks. “I decided I might need a few days in Hawaii.”

“And you happened to take the same flight, and end up sitting right next to me?”

He shrugged all casually. “What can I say, it’s a small world.”

I frowned at that, not liking his indifferent attitude. Suddenly, it clicked and my frown grew even more. “Did you plan this out?”

His eyes met mine at that and he gave a sigh. “I might have; with the help of one of your friends.”

“Dianna!” I spat out.

“Actually, no.”

And then I knew what had happened. “There wasn’t anything wrong with Anna’s child, was there? Did she call you or you call her?”

“She called me.”

“You guys set me up!”

Alex sighed. “Yes, we did. I’m sorry if you don’t like it, but Anna thought that maybe if we went together, we could figure things out.”

“Oh, so now you want to figure things out?” I don’t know why I was becoming so angry. Alex was here and he wanted to talk, I should have been jumping for joy.

“Morgan-”

“No,” I turned to face him the best I could with my seatbelt over my lap, “you listen to me; you don’t get to decide when you can walk in and out of my life. I’m not a puppet on a string that you can control. This isn’t a ‘choose your own time for a relationship’, you’re either in it or you’re out. But there’s no in-between and you have no right to let things end the way then did then pull this kind of a stunt. What if I don’t want to see you?”

He looked shocked at the ferocity of my words, taking a minute to either gather his thoughts, rethink his approach, or let what I said simmer. Finally though, he brought his eyes fully to mine and spoke, “That’s just a chance I’m going to have to take.”

I frowned at that and turned back to face the front, grabbing my magazine and yanking it back open.

“Morgan,” he reached and tugged it from my hands, ignoring my protest, “I know that I messed up and I know that we have a lot to talk about. I’m not trying to make excuses or say that I wasn’t wrong. But you’ve wanted me to talk and let you in and I’m trying. Don’t close me off, please.”

I bit the inside of my cheek and glanced to the window as the plane began taxing down the runway, picking up speed and hurtling along before lifting up into the air.

“Morgan,” he pleaded.

He sounded so earnest. I sighed and rubbed my forehead before looking his way once more. “So, what do you want? You want to do this here?” I motioned around the airplane. “In front of everyone?”

“No, of course not.”

“Well, why not? You think we’re going to chat like old times the entire way to Hawaii?”

His eyes narrowed. “What is your problem?”

“My problem? You really have the audacity to ask me that?”

“Yes.” He frowned.

I could have reached over and smacked him. “You, Alex. You and your …your whatever the hell is going through your head, is my problem. I am…I am just… so angry with you.”

Instead of getting defensive like I expected, he sagged into the seat and rubbed his face with both hands. “I know you are, and I’m sorry. I know that I have problems and I know that I hurt you,” his eyes were filled with regret, “but you have to know I never did it on purpose. It wasn’t my intention to do you that way. Not one bit.”

I felt my defenses weakening at the expression on his face and the pain in those eyes. “I know you didn’t.”

He gave a nod and reached for my hand and I didn’t pull it away.

“So, um, what now?” He questioned after a moment of silence between us.

“Well,” I glanced towards the flight attendant who was bringing the tray to the front to start serving the food and drinks, “we just chill and take it easy until we get to Hawaii and into the hotel, then we’ll talk.”

“Sounds good.” He lifted my hand to his mouth and kissed my knuckles.

I felt the warmth starting to spread through me at that action and had to force myself not to melt like I wanted to. “And you have to talk, no more of this, ‘I can’t’ stuff.”

“I’m ready to talk.”

I squeezed his hand then let them rest in his lap. “Good.”

And that’s how we flew all the way to Hawaii.

~*~*~*~*~

It felt later then it really was due to the time difference when we finally arrived at the hotel and got checked into our room. Alex had upgraded us to a one bedroom suite and he ordered us up some room service while I got myself settled and my clothing unpacked from the suitcase so it wouldn’t wrinkle. I had been debating on rather or not to share a room with him, but then thought I’d wait and see how our conversation went before deciding. I could always go back downstairs and get my own if I needed to.

After a quick shower to wash the weariness of traveling off, I rejoined Alex to discover the food had arrived. We settled ourselves in at the table and ate, making small talk and saving the serious stuff for after dinner.

Once we were finished, we put the dishes back on the trays and pushed the cart out into the hall to be taken away. Then Alex settled himself on the coffee table and I sank onto the sofa, facing him. We watched each other for a long moment before he rubbed his face and rested his elbows on his knees, leaning forward towards me.

“I um, I don’t even know where to start,” he spoke in a defeated manner.

“The way I see it, Alex, is that this conversation is either going to make us or break us. There’s no going back.” I hated hearing the words coming from my mouth. “So, how about you start with why you’ve been acting the way you have.”

Alex wet his bottom lip and brought his eyes to mine. “I…I’ve been trying to figure that out.”

“Any luck?”

He shrugged and began to pick the skin around his fingernails.

I tried not to let my patience grow thin. “I thought you were ready to talk.”

When I was met with only silence, I sat forward on the edge of the couch. “Okay, how about I start.” I didn’t give him a chance to respond before reaching out and taking his hands into mine, forcing our eyes to meet. “I love you, Alex, and I want this to work, but it won’t if you aren’t willing to meet me halfway. You have to open up to me, I know it’s hard, but you can’t lock it all away. If you want us to have a good, healthy relationship as badly as I do, then you have to stop hiding the broken pieces of your past. I’m not going to judge you, and it’s not going to make me hightail it out of here. Please trust me enough to show me all of you.”

He was quiet for a long moment, his expressive eyes filled with both fear and want.

“What are you so afraid of?” I gently prodded.

“Of losing you,” his words were barely but a whisper and I had to strain to hear them.

“Where am I going to go?” I gave a dry chuckle. “You’ve been acting like such an ass these last few weeks, yet I’m still here.”

“Only because Anna called me.”

Okay, he had a point there. I sighed. “Can you blame me? I’ve tried, Alex, I’ve really tried to get you to talk to me, but you of all people know that you can’t force someone. You just have to wait until they’re ready.”

“I know. And I don’t wanna lose you. It’s hard for me though; after years of shoveling things away, I can’t just be an open book.”

“I don’t expect you to be, but you have to start somewhere, with something.”

He sighed and rubbed his forehead. “Okay, alright, I can do this.”

I smiled and gave his hand a reassuring squeeze. “Yes, you can.”

“Right,” he flashed a trying smile that made my heart dip, “so…um…let’s just start with my father.”

“Okay.”

“He left me and my mom when I was four. Never called, never sent a card for my birthday or even Christmas. Didn’t bother to look me up or care about me until I got famous.” When I didn’t speak, he continued, “He only wanted into my life again because of my fame and fortune. He didn’t care about me, just what I could bring him. Like a lot of other people in my life.”

“That’s gotta be hard.”

“It is. Not knowing if someone is your friend because they really like you, or because they want something from you. It’s hard to trust anyone.” Those expressive eyes met mine and I shivered at the pain in them.

“It’s hard to let people in too, cuz of it, isn’t it?”

He nodded and his eyes fell back to our hand.

I reached with my other hand and touched his cheek. “But you know that’s not me.”

“I know.” He looked up again and held the hand on his cheek in place. “I know you’re not, but that doesn’t make it any easier to open up when all my life I’ve had to be on guard. Too many damn times I get taken advantage of and I’m so tired of it.”

“I know you are.” I smoothed my thumb on his skin. “And I’ll do my best to make sure no one does that to you. But in order for me to do that, you have got to open up and let me in.”

He sighed and sulked, reminding me of a child who knows they’ve done wrong. “I’m sorry,” it was barely a whisper and I had to strain to hear him.

“Tell me more about him.”

He sat back. “My father?”

I nodded.

Alex let out a puff of air before he spoke, ““Even now, he still tries to contact me; even when I’ve told him to just leave me alone.”

“Really?”

“Yeah,” he nodded some and ran a hand through his hair, “he thinks that if he tries hard enough, I’ll finally give in. But we aren’t going to have a relationship, its way too late for that.”

“Why is it too late?”

“Because it is. He didn’t give a damn about me until I was famous and now he just wants to ride my coattails.”

“Why do you think he wants that?”

“Why else would he not call me until I was famous and then keep on trying to get in touch with me?”

I wasn’t trying to play devil’s advocate, no matter how it came across. “Have you asked him that?”

“Heh, and believe the bullshit he feeds me?”

“Maybe it’s the truth.”

“It’s not.”

I tilted my head some and watched him. “How do you know?”

He looked off. “I just do.”

“Okay, baby,” I reached out and rubbed his arm, just watching him for a long moment. “What are you afraid of?”

“I don’t know,” he muttered. “I guess I’m afraid that one day you’re going to realize you can do better, or you’ll wake up and feel differently about me.”

I grabbed his hand. “That’s never going to happen.”

“Yeah, and my dad promised he’d never leave my mom and look what happened.”

So that’s what it was all stemming from; his father. If I knew where the man was, I’d march over there and give him a big piece of my mind for jading his son so. “Alex, first all, I’m not your father and you’re not your mother. Second all, we make our own experiences in life, we aren’t our parents and their past isn’t our future.”

“I know that.” He rubbed his head. “But sometimes it’s hard to make myself think it, deep down inside.”

“I get it, but it’s not going to happen.” My eyes searched his face. “If I were going to leave you, or change my mind about us, I would have done it already.”

“But I’m not perfect.”

“Well, neither am I. Look at the mess I was before you came along.”

“You’re pretty damn close to it. You’re so great and amazing and wonderful and you have this great job and friends that love you to death and your family, your family is wonderful. And I’m so tainted. I’d bring you down.” He wet his bottom lip. “You could do so much better than me.”

“Then why did you get on the plane back in L.A.?”

Those hypnotizing eyes lifted to mine and I felt the twinge inside. “I had a weak moment.”

“No,” I shook my head, “No, you know that we belong together. You know that it’s our destiny.”

“What do I know about destiny?”

I rubbed the bridge of my nose and sat back. “You don’t think very highly of yourself, do you?”

“I try to.” He stood and crossed over to the French doors that lead outside onto the balcony. “But deep down, I … I don’t.”

I watched as his body sagged in defeat and it made my eyes tear up. “Baby…” I was at a loss for words, all I wanted to do was wrap him in my arms and hold him close.

“I’m such a fuck up. Everything I do eventually blows back up in my face. I can’t keep a relationship, I can’t stay sober, hell, I’m surprised I’ve managed to hang onto my success.”

“Alex,” I rose from my spot, “baby, you have to be able to love yourself. If you can’t even do that, then you can’t love other people, especially me.”

He looked back over his shoulder to me. “You don’t think I love you?”

“I think you love me the best you know how. But once you learn to accept yourself the way you are and learn to live with who you are and love who you are, then the love you have for me, and everyone else in your life, is going to be so much sweeter and more abundant.”

He sighed and turned his gaze back outside. “So, what do we do?”

But I didn’t have an answer. Instead, I just watched him with tears in my eyes and a pain in my chest. I longed to make it better for him; to fix everything and give us that relationship we both longed for, but I couldn’t. Alex was the only person that could fix this, fix himself. “I…I don’t know,” I whispered, suddenly feeling like the storm that had slowly been brewing was finally unleashing it’s power on us and we were helpless to stop it.

He turned to face me. “I want us to be together; I want it to work out.”

“That’s a start. We just have to take it a day at a time and not get ahead of ourselves.”

“I can do that.” He crossed the room and pulled me into his arms. “I’m sorry I’ve been such an ass. I’m gonna try really hard to make sure it doesn’t happen again.”

I felt myself relaxing in his embrace, a warmth spreading through me. “It’s going to work out, baby. We’re gonna be okay.”

“I hope so,” he brushed his lips over my head, “because I couldn’t handle it if we weren’t.”

Neither could I. “Promise me that you’ll try not to close yourself off again. We have to keep our communication open.”

He gave a nod and tightened his grip. “I’ll do my best.”

“That’s a start.”

“Thank you.”

I tilted my head to see his face. “For what?”

“For being everything I didn’t know I needed.”

And in that moment, I knew we were going to be okay. It might take some time, but we would be.

Chapter Fifty-Four by summer
Author's Notes:
Have another chappie for you! I know it's been forever, but this latest chapter took a little time. It really wanted to go one direction, but I wasn't ready for that yet so I had to force it to stay away from where it was headed. But, I got it finished and I'm posting it for you guys. I hope you enjoy it and I'm so sorry it's taken so long! I will try to do better in the future. To make up for it though, I do have a surprise I'll try to get posted later on today. :) Thank you for all the awesome feedback and please let me know what you think about this one; your comments really give me that motivation I need. And wanna follow me on Twitter and find out when I update? Go to http://twitter.com/HeavenlyTales :) Thanks and enjoy!

 

I spent most of Saturday at the convention with Dixon. He behaved himself and we seemed to get along well enough. Call me a nerd, but I even found myself enjoying the different displays and information we were able to gather and take back with us. There was a lot that I was excited to try once I got back to California.

I wasn’t sure how Alex was entertaining himself while I was down at the convention center, but he had told me not to worry, he’d find something to do. Our emotionally draining talk and the jetlag had left us both exhausted, so we’d climbed into bed early and let the sleep overtake us. He had still been in bed when I’d left the hotel room the next morning.

On the way back to the hotel, Dixon asked about Anna. I told him that something had come up with her daughter and she hadn’t been able to make it. I didn’t bother to tell him Alex had, or they’d both tricked me. He did invite me to dinner with him and Karie; however, telling me I shouldn’t eat alone. I declined politely, insisting that I would be fine to amuse myself for the evening. We planned our meet up time to head back to the convention for Sunday then parted ways as he headed off the elevator to his floor and I continued in it up to mine.

Upon entering the suite, I found Alex setting trays of piping hot food onto the table, a vase of white and yellow daisies was the centerpiece and flanking them were two tall, white candles, the wicks lit and flickering. The lights in the suite had been dimmed and the blinds covering the floor to ceiling windows turned to a near close, only leaving one window open to reveal the crystal blue water below.

“Wh…what’s all this?” I questioned as I quietly closed the door behind me and set the keycard onto a table there in the entryway.

Alex turned from the table and a warm smile lit his face. “I thought we’d have a nice dinner in tonight.” Then he blinked. “Unless, you um…wanted to go out.”

“No,” I shook my head and slipped my black heels off, “this is wonderful.”

“Good.” His smile grew and he straightened the dishes on the table then pushed the cart the food had been delivered on, to the side.

I watched him with a warm feeling in my stomach, setting my belongings into a chair and moving further into the room. “So, what are we eating?”

“Chicken Parmesan with Fettuccine and Alfredo sauce and garlic breadsticks.”

I couldn’t help the smile that grazed my face or the warmth that was spreading through me. Something so simple, yet touching, and I knew that he had put his whole heart and soul into this dinner. “It smells delicious.”

“Are you hungry?” He moved over to me and took my hands into his, lifting them and kissing my knuckles.

“I am.”

“Good.” He smoothed his hand to my cheek and drew me closer, placing a soft kiss on my lips. “I was hoping you would be.”

I felt myself melting at his touch, suddenly finding myself wanting to wrap myself around him and never let go. “I haven’t eaten since lunch; and that was at like, one or something.”

“Then let’s feed you, baby.” He drew back and took my hands again then led me over to the table.

I took in the décor on the table and giggled at the daisies. “Daisies.”

“Of course.” He pulled out my chair then helped me get seated, brushing his lips across my cheek before taking the chair next to mine. “I was going to get hibiscuses or roses, but I think the daisies are more meaningful.”

I knew he was referring to them being the flowers he’d had delivered to me back before we’d started dating. “I think they are too.”

He gave a nod and watched me a long moment before blinking out of his reverie and motioning to the covered plates of food. “Okay, let’s eat.”

“Right, I’m starving.” I lifted the cover and set it to the side, feeling that rumble of hunger in my belly at the sight of the mouth watering food before me. “Gosh, this looks so good.” Taking up my napkin and placing it in my lap, I surveyed the dish.

“I hoped you’d like it. I wasn’t sure if I should have waited and let you decide what you wanted to order, but I wanted to surprise you and have it all ready too,” Alex explained as he put his own napkin in his lap and took up his fork.

“I think it’s wonderful.” I leaned over and kissed his cheek. “Thank you.”

He caught my free hand with his and tugged me gently to him before I could sit back in my chair. “You’re welcome.” Then he kissed my mouth softly, causing a sigh to escape at the feel of his warm lips upon mine.

It was like an ice cube in the scorching sun; I was feeling this heat seep over me and began to melt. The kiss was slow and easy at first, just relishing in the fact that we had reunited, but before long it was escalating to something deeper, something stronger and I abandoned my food, leaning more into him and smoothing my fingers into his hair. The urge to be completely enveloped by this man was too strong to ignore and both our plates were forgotten as he smoothed a hand to my cheek and held my head to his, kissing me like he was trying to quell the fire that smoldered inside.

“Alex…” I murmured against his lips, trying to wrap my head around a single thought, but finding none.

“Hmm?” He tugged gently at my lower lip, his fingers moving up into my hair and curling around the long, golden locks.

I couldn’t think of a single sentence; my brain didn’t seem to want to click back into gear. “I dunno,” I mumbled between kisses.

Suddenly he pulled back and stood, taking my hand and helping me up as well. “C’mon.”

I blinked and caught my napkin as it tumbled from my lap. “Wh…where are we going?”

“To the bedroom.” He reached and covered our dishes again.

“But…what about dinner?”

“It’ll save.” He turned back to me and, before I could protest, scooped me up into his arms. “And if it doesn’t, we’ll just order more.”

“But, we’re hungry,” I protested weakly.

Alex got us into the bedroom and kicked the door shut then set me onto my feet. “Right now I’m hungry for something else.” Then he began undoing the buttons of my blouse. “And I think you are too.”

Pink tinged at my cheeks and I found myself nervous, like it was our first time all over again. “Alex, I…”

Nimbly he got the buttons undone and pushed the blouse from my shoulders, letting it drop to the floor. Our eyes met and I felt a shudder race right down my spine. “Are you okay?” He questioned softly, his strong arms weaving around me and pulling me close to him, holding me safe and secure in his embrace.

Slowly, I forced space between our bodies. “I just think that before we jump back in bed together, we have more to talk about.”

He blinked some then gave a sigh and ran a hand over his face. “I’m sorry; you’re right.”

I reached for my top, pulling it back on and getting it buttoned up again. “And I’m hungry. So, let’s go back out there and have a nice dinner, continue our conversation from last night and see where the night takes us.”

He nodded and smoothed his own shirt. “Right, I’m sorry. It’s just hard to keep myself in check right now because you’re so goddamn sexy,” he reached out and caught my hand, forcing our eyes to meet again, “and I’ve really missed you.”

I offered up a small smile and touched his cheek. “I’ve missed you too.”

His hand smoothed to the one on his cheek and his thumb caressed my wrist. “You know that I love you, right?”

I pulled back before I could fall into his mesmerizing spell and took his hand. “I know you do.” Then I led him back out to the table and we took our seats.

We got through dinner with pleasant conversation; he told me about his day and I shared mine. It was nice to just have casual and unpressured dinner talk with him and even though physically we weren’t together, it felt like we were becoming united again.

I was proud of myself for standing strong and not faltering and falling into bed with him. It didn’t mean I didn’t want to go there, because Lord knows I did; but sex wasn’t going to solve our problems. Instead, it would just disguise the truth and we wouldn’t be any closer than we were two days ago. We needed to work through this for the sake of ourselves and our relationship; especially if we wanted a future together.

Once the dishes were cleared away and we were nestled comfortably together on the love seat, things finally turned towards a more serious note and the drama of the last few weeks began to play back through my head.

“Can I ask you a question?”

Alex turned his head and met my gaze, sweeping his thumb over my cheek and pushing some hair from my face. “Of course.”

“What ex-girlfriends are you still footing bills for?” I made sure to keep the tone of my voice soft so he wouldn’t become defensive.

He gave a sigh. “Does it really matter?”

I sat up straight and turned to face him more. “It would actually. It would help me to know and understand why you’re doing it.”

He brought a hand up and rubbed the bridge of his nose. “Remember when I told you that I had almost gotten married?”

I gave a little nod.

“Her.”

My brows drew together as I processed the information. “What bills do you pay?”

“We used to have dogs together; I pay their vet bills and whatnot.”

“May I ask, why?”

“Well, they used to be my dogs too, so I kind of feel obligated.” He reached up and rubbed his forehead.

I half understood and half didn’t. “How long have they not been ‘your’ dogs?”

He mumbled something and I had to lean in more. “What?”

“Over seven years.”

Whoa, I drew back and sucked in a breath, my mind whirling. He’d been paying for his ex fiancée’s pets for over seven years? My Lord! That was mind blowing. “Baby, why have you been doing it for so long?”

“Because, she’ll call me up crying that they’re sick or they need their shots, but she can’t afford it, and she knows how much I love those pooches.” He spoke to me, but kept his gaze locked on the window, not wanting to maintain eye contact.

“Don’t take offense to this please, but it sounds to me like she’s just taking advantage of you.” I reached out and touched his shoulder.

“That’s what my mom says.” His eyes drifted to his lap and he brushed at his jeans.

“I think your mom is probably right.” I tilted my head. “What would happen if you told her no?”

Alex gave a groan and shook his head. “You don’t even want to know.”

I leaned over and kissed his shoulder. “I’m sure it won’t be pretty, but you have me here for support. You can do this; it’s time she starts paying her own way through life.”

“She won’t be happy.”

“Who is, when they’re told they have to stop mooching?”

He wet his bottom lip and met my eyes again. “You might run into her. Cuz she will make sure to come over and talk to me about it.”

I touched his cheek. “Then she can bring it.”

He chuckled and caught my hand, kissing my knuckles and it made my heart swell. “I love you, Morgan, you know that, right?”

“Yes, and you know I love you.”

“You have to if you’re willing to put up with my shit.”

That made me laugh and I kissed his cheek softly. “Who else are you footing bills for?”

Alex gave a drawn out sigh and slouched back into the couch.

“This girl, Trisha… we were together almost a year.”

“What bills of hers do you pay?”

“Her gas bill. She was in the middle of moving in with me when we broke up and she took it really hard; lost her job and everything. So…when I found out, I offered to pay the bill a couple times…” he shrugged some.

“And a couple times turned into every time, right?”

His shoulders drooped again and it was all I could do not to wrap him in my arms.

“Babe,” I reached out and turned his face to mine, “you are such a wonderful person and I know you want everyone to be happy and to help those that need it, but you have to learn when and where to draw the line.”

“You sound like my mom.” He chuckled low then kissed my palm.

I nodded some. “You cannot just let people walk over you. You don’t want them using you, so you have to stop them from doing so. Telling someone no is not going to make them hate you, and if they do,” I gave a little shrug, “then they’re not worth having as a friend anyway.”

He sighed and ducked his head. “I know.”

I pressed my lips together and watched him a moment before speaking, “Why do you let it happen?”

“Because I’ve never had someone like you supporting me before.” His eyes met mine and I could just feel the love and gratefulness in them.

I couldn’t help the soft smile on my lips and pressed a soft kiss to his cheek. “I’ll do whatever I can. You’ve done so much for me.”

“That is one of the reasons why I love you so much;” he stroked my cheek, “you are everything that I need even when I didn’t think I needed it.”

I felt my heart melt. “Are you trying to sweet talk me?”

“Maybe.” A grin tugged at the corner of his mouth. “Is it working?”

I chuckled and kissed his lips, pulling away before he could turn it up a notch. “We aren’t done talking yet.”

“Damnit.” He sighed and sat straight again. “What else is there to talk about? I told you about my dad and the exes.”

“Why didn’t you end up marrying that one girl?”

He frowned some. “That is something I try not to think about.”

“Why?”

“Because it was a long time ago and I was not in a good place. Can’t we just leave it at that?”

I pushed some hair over my shoulder. “How come you were so reluctant to tell me why you were still paying their bills?”

He shrugged and picked at the skin around his fingernails. “I was afraid you’d think bad of me and leave me.”

I was quiet for a moment then finally reached out and took his hand into mine. “Well, I’m still here.”

“I know and you have no idea how grateful I am of that.” He met my eyes and I could just feel the emotion in them. “I’m so sorry for how I’ve acted; so sorry.”

“I know you are and it’s okay.”

“No,” he pulled back some and shook his head, “it’s not okay. What I did was unforgivable and I wouldn’t blame you if you never wanted to see me again.”

I grabbed at his hands again and tugged them into my lap. “Hey, stop that right now. Yes, it wasn’t right how you behaved, but it happened.” I searched his face and held his hands to my chest. “I do forgive you. I know that you are sorry and I know that you want us to work as much as I do. So, we’re going to put the past back in the past and focus on the future and us. You’re going to stop paying their way through life and we’re going to be more open with each other. No more secrets.”

Alex closed his eyes a moment as I spoke then blinked them back open and rested his forehead against mine. “I don’t know how I got so lucky, but I do not deserve you.”

“Yes you do.”

“No, not really, I don’t. I’m not good enough a person to deserve someone like you.”

I touched his cheek and tilted his head some to see his face completely. “Please don’t think like that. I’m not too good for you and you’re not beneath me. We’re just right for each other.”

“I’m sorry.” He sighed and pulled back, tugging on his jeans a bit.

I watched him a moment, wishing that I could just erase the pain and self loathing he had deep inside. “We’re going to be okay, Alex. You’ve never had anyone like me loving you before and I’ve never had anyone like you loving me before. We just need to believe in each other and us as a couple.”

“I do.” He looked to me. “I believe in us and I want a future together as much as you do.”

Inside my chest, I felt my heart flooding with love. “Kay,” I leaned forward and placed a soft kiss to his lips, “what do you say to starting fresh? We put all this behind us and just start anew.”

“I say that’s a very good idea.” He kissed my lips again then again. “But that doesn’t mean I have to wait just as long as I did before to get you naked does it?”

I giggled low. “Hm, no, I don’t think it does.”

“Good,” he smoothed his hands along my arms and dipped his head, kissing my neck softly, “because I don’t think I could do that again.”

“I’m sorry I was such a prude.” I watched him with teasing eyes.

“You weren’t a prude. You were just making sure you were ready.”

That touched me and I kissed his cheek. “That’s right.”

He sighed and took my legs, pulling them over his lap and smoothing a hand on my knee. “So, we’re okay?”

I watched him, reaching and smoothing a hand along the side of his face. “We’re okay.”

“Good.” He kissed my forehead. “I’m going to be better, baby. I won’t fuck up like that again.”

“I’m gonna hold you to that, you know.”

“Please do.” He tilted his head and kissed the side of my neck before drawing me into his arms in a tight embrace.

I sighed and leaned into his chest, slipping my own arms around him and returning the hug.

“So, did you want to go out and see some of Hawaii?” Alex spoke, his voice next to my ear.

“You want to go out?” I pulled back and met his eyes. “What happened to getting me naked?”

“I have all night to get you naked,” he smirked then grew serious, “but I know that the last time you were here was for your honeymoon and I thought we could go out and make you some new memories; nice, new, fresh ones of us.”

I wanted to kiss his face all over. “That sounds wonderful.”

“Good.” He kissed my nose then my lips and released me. “You go get changed and I’ll push the dinner cart out into the hallway.”

“Deal.” I touched his cheek then pulled back and rose from the sofa.

Twenty minutes later we were strolling hand in hand along the gorgeous sandy beach, watching the sun setting over the horizon and feeling the warm surf tickle our bare feet.

“This is beautiful,” I breathed, watching the brilliant reds and pinks and oranges filling the sky as the sun began to slowly disappear.

“It really is,” Alex agreed. “Makes the sunsets at home look like nothing compared to this one.”

I tilted my head. “Wonder why that is. California sunsets are beautiful, but there’s just something about Hawaii that sets it apart from everything else.”

“Well, it’s Hawaii; land of exotic flowers and culture and scenery. A lover’s paradise, a dreamer’s sanctuary, an escape to free your mind.”

I chuckled. “When we get married, I want to honeymoon in Greece.”

Alex glanced at me. “What brings that up?”

A shrug. “Just thinking about Hawaii and romance and honeymoons and then I thought that I don’t want to honeymoon here again, I want us to create our own special place and Greece is a country I’ve always wanted to visit.”

He chuckled and gave my hand a squeeze. “Well, when we get married, we can honeymoon wherever you want to go.”

I grinned. “To Greece.”

“To Greece.”

We strolled along a few more minutes lost in our own thoughts before I suddenly remembered something I had wanted to tell him. “So, guess what?”

“Hmm,” he tilted his head, “you love me.”

“Yes, that I do, but no, that’s not it.” I giggled low. “Guess again.”

“Can I have a hint?”

“It’s about Dianna.”

“See, I never would have guessed it was about her.” He rubbed his chin with his free hand. “Hmm, she is moving?”

“No,” I chuckled and squeezed his hand with both mine. “She’s having a baby.”

Alex blinked and looked to me. “Really?” When I nodded, a grin broke out over his face. “That’s great news.”

“Yeah, I think so too, but she wasn’t too keen on the idea at first. But I think she’s starting to come around.”

“She wasn’t keen on it?”

I shook my head. “No, she’s never wanted kids, so she was freaking out at first, but Manny’s excited and I think that’s helped to calm her.” I kicked at a wave. “She doesn’t think she’ll be a good mom, but I think she will.”

“She’s done a good job with helping you and taking care of you.”

I chuckled. “Exactly. That’s what I told her.”

“Sometimes it’s the ones that don’t feel they have a motherly bone in their body that are actually the best ones out there.”

“That’s very true.” I slowed some and looked out over the sparkling water, watching as the beautiful colors in the sky mirrored over the surface.

Alex stopped and moved up behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist and holding me to his chest. “Beautiful, isn’t it?”

I nodded and relaxed back against him. “It really is.”

“Think anyone would notice if I pulled you down into the sand and made love to you in the surf?” He glanced around.

I laughed low at that before peeking around as well. “That might be something we need to wait until midnight for.”

“You’re right.” He nipped at my ear. “I had to ask though.”

I smirked then took his hands and pulled away. “We have all night for that. I thought you wanted us to have some fun out here.”

“Oh, I do.” And then he was coming up behind me and swinging me into his arms. “And I have the perfect idea.”

I laughed then gave a squeal when I saw him heading us right towards the water. “Ooh, no you are not!”

“Ooh, yes I am!” He laughed and waded into the surf, dipping me down so a wave washed up over us.

“Alex!” I jerked some then wrapped my arms around his neck.

“Morgan!” He smirked and pushed through the water as another wave descended. “Hold your breath.” And then he was diving into the wave, taking us both under.

It was a second before I could find my footing and surface, pushing the hair from my face and getting a breath.

Alex pushed up as well and wiped his face then sent a spray of water at me.

I giggled and retaliated with my own wave which ensued in an all out water war.

“Okay, okay, truce!” He called out as splash after splash doused him.

“Ha!” I smirked and sent one more. “That’s what you get for tossing me into the water.”

He laughed and wiped his face. “You loved it.”

“I love you.” I lowered down till just my head and shoulders were above the surface.

He drew closer. “I love you.”

“C’mere.” I nodded my head in a come here gesture.

Alex sidled up to me and as tempting as it was to dunk him under the water, I refrained. Instead, I slipped my arms around his neck and drew our bodies together under the water.

He smoothed his own arms around me. “Ooh, this is nice.”

I kissed the wet skin of his neck. “You taste like salt.”

He chuckled and stood with us, the water coming to our waists. “We are in the ocean.”

“True.” I continued to kiss along his neck, keeping our bodies pressed together.

“Mm, that’s very nice.” He tilted his head and snaked a hand to my rear, giving it a firm squeeze.

I giggled low against his skin, making my way up towards his ear. “I have a good idea.”

“What’s that?” His voice had lowered some to that sexy, soulful tone it took when he was being seductive and it always made me shiver.

“I think you should take me back to the hotel,” I nipped his ear then pulled back to meet his eyes, “and we can take a nice, long shower.”

He cocked a brow. “Together?”

I traced his cheek with the tips of my fingers. “Together.”

“You’re on.” Then he swung me back up into his arms and headed for the shore.

Chapter Fifty-Five by summer
Author's Notes:
Woo! Quicker with an update this time...go me. This one just came flowing from my fingers, so please enjoy and let me know what you think. Hehe. There's some sexiness in it, so I'm just giving a warning if that kind of stuff bothers you. I try to keep it tastefully done though. Thanks to those of you who always review so faithfully, I really appreciate it! Again, enjoy! And want to know when I update? Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/HeavenlyTales

 

Alex carried me all the way back to the hotel, then set me on my feet once we were in the privacy of the hotel room. We were both soaked to the bone, but neither seemed to mind as he pulled me into his arms and pushed my back gently against the closed hotel room door. My hands moved up and curled into his damp hair, our mouths locked together in a heated kiss. The cold air we’d encountered upon entering the room didn’t seem to bother himself or me as the passion between us intensified and he pressed the length of his body against mine.

I pulled him closer and groaned into his mouth, that strong urge to have him fully against me, hot skin pressed to hot skin starting to envelope over me. He responded with a thigh quivering sound of his own and pulled back just long enough to locate the zipper down the back of my dress.

“Wh…what is it?” I questioned in a breathless whisper as his brows drew together and he tugged some at the garment.

“The…zipper…” he rasped out, accentuating the words with a swift tug of the dress.

“What?” I peered behind me where his fingers were still trying to get the zipper lowered.

Alex gave a frustrated sound. “I think the zipper’s stuck.”

I chuckled and reached for the back. “It’s stuck? Let me try.”

“No, fuck the zipper.” He pushed my hands away then quickly reached and lifted the skirt of the dress up over my legs. “We’ll just go this way.”

“Alex!” I laughed and pushed some of the fabric away so I could see his face. “The dress is too long to do that.”

He chuckled then sighed and dropped the skirt. “Damn.”

I laughed low and slipped from between him and the door. “C’mon, I’ll get the zipper down. We wanted to take a shower anyway.”

“Yeah, that was the plan after I nailed you at the door.”

“Oh, what an eloquent way of saying that.” I sent him a teasing look and reached for the zipper, trying to tug it down.

Alex carefully steered me toward the bedroom. “I wasn’t trying to be eloquent. I can’t wait to get my hands, mouth and other parts on you.”

“Ooh.” I shivered and giggled some, still trying to work the zipper down, but it was stuck fast. “I don’t think it’s working.”

“We might have to cut you out of it.” He got us into the bathroom then flipped the light on. “Let me see it”

“No!” I jerked away and spun to face him. “We are not cutting this dress. Do you know how much it cost?”

He blinked. “We can buy you a new one.”

I pouted. “It’s brand new. I bought it specifically for Hawaii and this is the first time I’ve worn it.”

“Well,” He slowly advanced on me, “I’ll tell you what; you let me get that thing off you anyway I can and I will buy you ten brand new dresses. Any kind you want; money being no option.”

“But…I love it.”

He reached for my arms. “I’ll get you another just like it; two more if you’d like in case this happens again.”

I sighed and let him pull my hands from the back. “Just…try not to rip it.”

“Okay, my love.” He gently turned me around and swept the hair from the back of my neck. “We’ll get it off you without destroying it, but only because you’re so cute when you pout and I can’t tell you no.”

“Thank you,” I murmured, shivering as his fingertips grazed my bare skin and goosebumps flashed down my arms.

“Though, it might already be ruined from the ocean’s salt water.” He fumbled with the zipper and I could feel him trying to wiggle it free from whatever was keeping it in place.

“It’ll dry clean.”

He chuckled low then placed a soft, feathery light kiss to the back of my neck. “You have an answer for everything, don’t you?”

His breath tickled my neck and my eyes fluttered shut. “Mmhmm,” it came out softer than intended.

“One of the many, many reasons I love you.” He skimmed his lips down and over my bare shoulder, nipping lightly at the skin and sending tingles all through my body. “And if we can ever get this dress off you, I could show you just how much I do love you.”

I giggled and reached back, smoothing my fingers along his cheek. “I know how much you love me.”

One hand smoothed flat across my tummy, dipping lower to my pelvis and pulling me taut against his front. “I’m going to show you that and much more.” His teeth caught my lobe and I nearly felt my knees buckle when his mouth sought that tender spot just behind it.

“Alex…” I breathed out in but a whisper.

“Hm?” He nipped the soft skin behind my ear then flicked the tip of his tongue against the sensitive area.

“I…” Words were not coming to me and I grabbed at his head, that longing to have him possessing me growing stronger in my belly.

He sucked the skin and my legs wobbled. “You…what?”

“I…” My voice rose to a squeak. The affect this man had on me made my head spin and my thoughts go right out the window.

“You…what?” He twirled his tongue then nipped at that spot gently with his teeth. Oh, he knew exactly what he was doing.

My eyes flew open and I gave the dress a firm tug. “Just get this damn thing off me; I need you.”

Alex laughed lowly at that and pulled back some. “Yes ma’am.”

I heard a ripping then felt cool air as the dress fell free from my body. I used my hands to push the damp fabric completely off me and revealed the pale pink panties and bra underneath.

“Now that’s more like it,” he grunted then quickly unlatched my bra and pulled it from my body. My panties were next and soon I was left completely nude and watching his reflection behind me in the mirror.

Slowly, I turned to face him and reached for his shirt. “I can’t be the only one in the buff here.”

“No, you can’t.” He quickly helped undress himself then took my hips and lifted me onto the counter.

The marble was cold, but I ignored it and pulled him closer, smoothing my fingers back up into his hair and pulling his mouth to meet mine.

Alex fueled the kiss and tickled his fingers along my inner thighs before grabbing my hips again and pulling them right to the edge of the surface. “I need you now,” he mumbled against my mouth before catching my lower lip and giving it a tug.

“I…need you,” I managed a reply.

“Good.” And then he was pressing himself against me, forgoing any teasing and slowly pushing into my warmth.

“Shit,” I breathed as our mouths broke contact and our eyes met. My hands found his back and I pulled him even closer, wrapping my legs around his hips and drawing him in even more.

His eyelids fluttered at that and his hands tilted my hips some. “Damn, you feel so fucken good.”

“God, yes,” I groaned, smoothing my hands down over his back and feeling his warm skin. He pressed fully into me then wrapped his strong arms around me. I could feel his heart beating in his chest and traced a line of kisses along his throat. The way his body began to move with mine sent chills racing through me and the room quickly began to heat up.

“Shit, Morgan.”

I shuddered and pressed my fingers into his back, giving a squeeze with my legs and urging him on; I needed more of him, to have him completely washed over me. Our time apart had left a longing aching inside and only he could be the one to quiet it.

He responded with a throaty growl and pushed me back some, grabbing my hips and giving a swift yank towards him.

The hard marble beneath me didn’t faze me as our bodies moved together and he possessed me the way I needed him to. It was raw and hot, nearly animalistic as hands roamed and when his mouth sought out my breasts, I nearly came undone.

Somehow, though I don’t know how, we made it to the floor. The luxurious floor mat protected us from the cold tile and Alex rose above me, holding himself up with his hands. He thrust into me with enough force to push my hips up and I held to him to keep from slipping away. Our cries and sounds mingled together and echoed off the walls, but sounded faint against the roar of my heart pounding in my ears. I was lost in the moment; we both were, as the sensations and feelings spurred us on.

It felt like never before; the heat that was seeping through my veins, that slow building of pressure low in my belly, the feel of his body against mine and the intense look in his gaze that caused my toes to curl. “A…Alex…” I managed out in a panted breath.

“I…I know…” he responded as our eyes locked. He reached back and drew my thigh up higher, sinking even more into my heat and eliciting a new sound from me.

“I’m…I’m getting close,” I whispered, grabbing for his head and curling my fingers into his hair. That need for sweet release was growing more and more fervent and it drove my hips to grind harder to his.

“Shit,” he panted before lifting up on his hands again and rolling his hips to mine in an exotic dance. “You want it, baby?”

I nearly came at the look on his face. “Ye…yes, oh yes.”

He smirked and dipped his head, nipping his teeth along the soft skin of my neck. “Mmm, beg me for it.”

Was he serious? Right now? But I don’t think I could have denied him; the need was too strong. I would have given him whatever he asked in that moment. “Please…Alex,” I pleaded in panted words.

“That’s it, baby.” He nipped at my ear. “I want you to cum for me.”

And that’s exactly what I did. His hot breath tickling my skin helped to push me over the edge and I grabbed him tight, arching up from the floor as that much needed release surged hard and fast up my legs and exploded throughout my body. It sounded like a freight train as the deafening roar filled my ears and urged my hips to buck against his. Brilliant white burst before my eyes and my lids squeezed so tight tiny black dots mingled with it. The heat burned through me, my muscles twitched and it felt like my entire body was on fire.

Alex propelled me on, taking me farther than he’d ever taken me before; it was like I was seeing Heaven and then shooting out past it. And then his release surged over him and he gripped me tightly, repeating my name over and over. His hips pushed into mine with such force we scooted on the mat. My lungs were squeezing in my chest and crying out for air as I begged and pleaded, not even aware of what I was saying. Every sense was heightened and I tried to move against him, but it was so intense I could only hang on for the ride.

Finally, when I was reduced to whimpers and breathless sounds, his hips finally lessened and he slowly brought us both back down to Earth. It left me trembling and I held to him so tightly, afraid to let go for fear of slipping away.

“Mm, you ‘kay?” He slurred against my neck. He shifted us gently and slipped his arms completely around me, holding me so close I felt his heart thundering against his chest, mirroring my own.

“Uh huh,” it was all I could manage out.

“Good.” He kissed my neck then my shoulder and lifted his head and kissed my lips.

I smiled at that and caught his bottom lip gently in my teeth. “Mmhmm.” Then I smoothed a trembling hand into his hair and turned the kiss up a notch.

“Mm, you wanting to go again?” Alex lifted his head, a slight smirk on his lips.

I giggled low. “Maybe.”

“Maybe?” He pressed his hips into me.

“Ooh.” Goosebumps began to spread over my body. “I do want to go again, actually.”

“Good, cuz so do I.” He kissed my lips again then slowly shifted and pulled back, reaching for my hand. “But this time, let’s try it in the shower.”

“I like the way you think.” I stood with his help, making sure my legs were steady before heading over to the large see-through doors of the shower.

“You like a lot more than that.” He came up behind me and pinched my butt then pulled the door open and got the water going so it’d be nice and warm for us.

I giggled and trailed my fingers along his back, admiring the soft skin. “I do and I want you to show me over and over and over again.”

His smirk sent a shiver straight down my spine. “You’re on.” Then he reached and caught my hand in his, pulling me into the shower and closing the door securely behind us.

~*~*~*~*~

“Do you think I could just tell Dixon I don’t want to go to the conference today?” I lifted my head just slightly from Alex’s chest and glanced to his face.

“Hm…” he smoothed his fingers through my hair, “if you wouldn’t get in trouble then go for it.” A smirk. “I wouldn’t mind having you all to myself for the day.”

I chuckled and pushed myself to my elbow. “You had me all to yourself last night.”

“Over and over I did.”

I laughed. “I don’t think Zoe would mind. I mean, I did get a lot of information yesterday and on the flight home I’m going to organize my notes and figure a plan for all the new things I want to try.”

Alex caught my wrist and gently pulled me back to his chest. “There are a few things I’d like to try.”

“Is your mind always on sex?” I laughed and gently swatted at his chest then pulled myself up again. “Are you hungry? I’m famished.”

He chuckled and rose into a sitting position. “With you, yes. And yes, I’m starved after last night.”

“Mm, me too.” I slipped from the bed and grabbed my thigh length robe from a chair nearby. “Let me call Dixon and see if he’s good on his own today and then we can figure out what we want for breakfast.”

“Sounds good.”

Alex watched me with a cute grin and I cinched the robe then leaned back over the bed and kissed him softly. “Maybe we could even go out somewhere. It’s so beautiful outside.”

“Ooh, I like the way you think.” He brushed his fingers through my hair and kissed me again then pulled back. “Okay, go make your phone call before I pull you back into this bed and neither of us leaves this room for the rest of the day.”

“Yes, sir.” I giggled and strolled from the bedroom into the main room. Taking the phone up, I placed a call to Dixon’s room and talked to him for a few, easily getting myself out of the conference. After replacing the receiver I wondered if Dixon might be skipping out as well and taking a day to explore the beautiful island with his weekend buddy. Shrugging the thought off, I sauntered back into the bedroom. “Okay, where should we go for breakfast?”

“I’m sure the hotel has a nice restaurant; maybe somewhere outside with a view of the ocean.” Alex tossed the covers back and rose from the bed, lifting his arms above his head to stretch his body.

“Mm, that sounds nice.” I slipped up behind him and wrapped my arms around his waist, kissing the middle of his arched back.

“Ooh,” he glanced back to me then smoothed his hands along my arms, “that feels good.”

I kissed his warm skin again then pulled back. “Let’s get dressed and get down there.”

He sighed and grabbed up a pair of his jeans. “Such a slave driver, I swear.”

“You didn’t seem to mind last night.”

“Last night you were a cowgirl, not a slave driver.” He smirked and pointed his jeans in my direction.

I laughed and grabbed up a pillow from the bed, gently lobbing it in his direction. “Go get dressed.”

“Whoo, we’ll play that tonight, okay?” He laughed then hurried into the bathroom when I reached for another pillow. “Okay, okay, I’m going.”

“Good,” I called to him before sinking down onto the bed and hugging the pillow to my chest. Things at that exact moment could just not get any better and hopefully it’d stay that way for a long, long time.

Surprisingly, we were both able to get ready and make it out of the hotel room within a decent amount of time. Hand in hand, we strolled out of the elevator and through the lobby, stepping out into the bright sunshine and taking a left towards the veranda where they served a delicious breakfast; the hotel had made sure to inform us of that.

We were seated at a quaint little table in the shade with a magnificent view of the crystal clear waters of the Pacific.

“This is really nice,” I commented after the server had taken our orders and we were left to finally take in the view.

“It is.” Alex reached for my hand across the table and gave it a squeeze. “If the flight wasn’t so damn long, I’d live out here somewhere.”

“I know right.”

He chuckled. “The thought of having to get on a plane to go anywhere doesn’t appeal to me.”

“It’d be good for someone who wants to just stay in seclusion and hide away from the world.”

“Exactly.”

“Or someone who hates flying.”

He looked at me. “How would they get out here?”

I chuckled. “Take a boat.”

“Touché.”

I giggled low then pulled my hand back to reach for my water glass. “So, how’s your mom doing?”

Alex leaned back in his seat. “She’s doing good. She’ll be thrilled to know that we’ve made up. Every time I talked to her it was ‘Alex, have you talked to Morgan yet? You need to get over yourself and go see her’.

“Aww,” I laughed low and sipped my water. “I’ll have to give her a call.”

“You really will because she absolutely adores you.”

I smiled. “I really like her too. At first, I honestly thought we were never going to be able to get along, but she’s wonderful and she’s very smart.”

He chuckled. “Yeah, yeah. I listened to her; I’m here, aren’t I?”

My eyes danced at him over the top of my glass. “Yes you are. Thank God for your mother.”

“Hey,” he faked a scowl, “I’d like to think that I had something to do with it too. It was my decision.”

“You’re right, I’m sorry. It was completely your doing. What was I thinking?”

“Thank you.” He chuckled and sighed some, just watching me with a grin on his lips.

“What?” I set my glass back down and brushed some hair behind my ear.

“Nothing,” Alex shook his head, “I’m just watching you. You’re so beautiful.”

A slight blush crept over my cheeks. “Thank you.”

He smirked. “You’re welcome.”

I chuckled and cleared my throat. “How’s Bernie? Is he still cancer free?”

“Damn straight.” He sat up and reached for his mug of coffee. “And as soon as we get back to Cali, we have to get them together, he misses Daisy like crazy.”

“Ooh, you can bet we will. Daisy will freak out she’ll be so excited.” I giggled at the thought of seeing the two animals reunited. “We won’t be able to pry them apart even if our lives depended on it.”

“I know right.” He shook his head then took a sip of his coffee.

“And we’re going to have to do a double date with Dianna and Manny. She was bugging me about it before everything went to hell in a hand basket.”

He laughed and set his mug down then relaxed in the chair again. “Of course; just name the place and give me a time and date and I’ll be there.”

I smiled. “Okay, I’ll let her know.”

He sent me a wink the same time the server arrived with our breakfast dishes. We both took a few minutes to prepare them the way we wanted then I tucked my napkin into my lap and dug in. It was delicious and the fresh pineapple was nearly mouth watering. There wasn’t much conversation because we were both caught up in the exquisite meal and enjoying the explosions of taste that the food provoked, but once our plates were nearly cleared and I was slumped back in my chair wondering if I’d eaten too much, a thought hit me.

“Oh, what are you doing Fourth of July weekend?”

Alex looked to me over his omelet. “I’m not sure yet, what are you doing?”

I took a sip of my water before giving an answer, “My sister-in-law invited me to come out to Arizona and see their new place; visit with them and see a fireworks show.”

“Candace, right?” When I gave a nod, he continued, “That sounds really nice. You gonna go?”

I fiddled with the fork on my plate. “I was wondering if you wanted to come with me.”

Alex ate the last piece of his sausage and wiped his mouth. “I’ll try to, baby, but I need to check my calendar before I make any promises.”

I gave a nod. “I understand.”

“Good.” He flashed a grin. “And if I’m free, you know I’ll go with you. You know where we could swing by on the way to or from?”

I pushed my plate to the side. “Where’s that?”

“Vegas.”

“You want to go to Las Vegas? Do some gambling?”

“Hell yeah,” he dug into his omelet, “play some cards, roll some dice, win a lot of money.”

“Or lose a lot of money.”

“Don’t be so pessimistic,” he waved his fork at me, “I know how to play ‘em.”

I chuckled. “Okay, if you go with me to visit Grayson and Candace then we’ll stop in Vegas for a few days.”

“It’s a deal.” He winked at me and took a big bite of his breakfast.

I giggled at that and relaxed back in the chair. “We can’t forget Mimi and my parents are planning to come out and visit us sometime towards the end of July or beginning of August.”

“Ooh right, and we’re gonna take them up to wine country.”

I gave a nod. “If you’re comfortable with that.”

“Of course. Aren’t we taking them sailing too?”

“I believe you promised that.” I tilted my head some, trying to remember back on the conversation from a few months ago. “Yeah, you did.”

He flashed a charming grin. “And I always try to keep my promises. We’ll do that; wine country and sailing.”

“They’ll be so excited.” I took the cloth napkin from my lap and set it next to the plate.

“We won’t have any drama this time though, right?” Alex reached for his coffee and met my gaze.

I chuckled and offered a genuine, worry free smile. “No drama; that’s behind us.”

“Right.” He reached and took my hand, smoothing his thumb over the back of it. “We’re okay now.”

I laced our fingers together, watching our hands before lifting my eyes to his. “That’s right. And I don’t know about you, but I plan on staying that way.”

“Me too, baby.” He lifted my hand and kissed my knuckles. “Me too.”

And I knew that whatever problems lie ahead were not going to tear us apart, but just make us stronger, together. Life was good again.

Chapter Fifty-Six by summer
Author's Notes:

Thanks again for the feedback! Having a blast writing this fic and I love hearing what you guys think about it. I thought I'd slow things down a bit and just give a simple, fun chp. Things are good between them and I wanted to show that. So enjoy! :)

 And Marissa...I updated like promised!

 

“Where are we going?” I questioned Alex as he steered the car we had rented for the day past the large sign noting the Haleiwa Boat Harbor. I shifted in my seat and peered around, noting the clear blue ocean off in the near distance and the dozens of boats that lined the docks along the shore. “Are we going out in a boat?”

Alex chuckled and turned into a parking lot. “You’ll see.”

“Good thing I wore my suit, huh?” I glanced down to my white, eyelet skit that covered the bottoms of my teal and purple hipster bikini bottom. I’d forgone a cover-up top and just wore the matching triangle top that tied behind my neck and again behind my back.

He pulled into a spot and put the car into park. “Good thing I told you to.”

I giggled and unbuckled. “Seriously though, what are we doing?”

“You’ll see.” He smirked then released his own buckle and slipped from the car. He moved around the vehicle and pulled my door open, offering his hand. “My lady.”

I smiled and let him help me out, surveying the area beneath the dark shades that protected my eyes from the warm sun.

Alex gathered our beach bag from the bag then took my hand and led me down to the docks. We strolled past different size boats until we stopped before one that held a wire cage type thing on the back.

“Um…what is this?” I pushed my shades atop my head and turned to my boyfriend.

A broad grin covered his face and he kissed my cheek. “We’re going out to see some sharks.”

“Some…what?” My eyes stretched.

“Sharks.” He took my elbow and gently led me towards the crew that waited for us.

“We’re gonna go see sharks?” I let one of the gentleman take my hand and help me onto the boat, Alex following.

“We are.” He thanked the man then set the bag off to the side. “They’re gonna take us out, and see that thing right there,” he pointed towards the cage like object, when I nodded, he continued, “it lowers a few feet into the water then we climb down inside and can see the sharks under the water.”

“Shut up!”

The gentleman that had helped me onto the boat laughed and Alex wrapped his arm around my waist, drawing me to his chest. “No, I will not shut up.” He chuckled and kissed my cheek. “We’re gonna go have some close encounters with the sharks.”

“That is so cool!” I hugged him close.

“This is gonna be one experience you will never forget,” A fair haired older man with a facial beard and friendly gray eyes spoke from where he was checking the cage over.

I pulled back from Alex and wandered over to him. “What kind of sharks do we see?”

“We’ll be getting up close and personal with the Galapagos and Sandbar Shark. You may see a Tiger Shark, but they’re very rare.” He had a slight southern drawl and was dressed in some deep blue swim trunks and a white button down shirt open to show off his tanned skin.

“Are they dangerous?” I pushed up onto my toes and looked the cage over, noting the clear plexi like material that gave you a window towards the top of the cage so you could have an unobstructed view.

He paused in his work. “Not usually. Sharks don’t care for the taste of humans and on the rare occasion they do attack, it’s usually because they mistake a surfer or surfboard for a seal.”

I nodded some and touched the bar of the cage. “Is this safe?”

“Extremely.” He grabbed it and gave it a firm shake. “They can’t get in and you can’t get out.”

“So, whatcha think?” Alex came up behind me and slipped an arm around my waist. “You ready to go nose to nose with a shark or two?”

“Most definitely.”

He grinned and kissed my cheek, giving his arm around me a squeeze. “I was hoping you would say that and not freak out.”

I chuckled. “I still might freak out, who knows. Once we’re out there it’s a completely different story.”

The man who had been attending to the cage laughed. “Ahh, I think you’ll have a great time. We get a lot of people who are scared of sharks and they get into the cage.”

I grinned over at him then peeked to Alex. “Oh, I’ll get in the cage. Are you gonna freak out on me?”

“I’ll try not to.” He nuzzled my neck, his beard tickling my skin.

“Alright, we’re going to be pulling away from the dock,” A voice spoke from behind us and we turned to see a second man, who had a ball cap covering tufts of brown hair and he wore some black, board short trunks and a sleeveless white tee.

“Ooh.” I tugged Alex over to the side and watched as the crew went about their business and freed the boat from the dock then maneuvered us out of the harbor and into the open waters.

Within minutes we were skimming over the surface, the warm breeze slightly cool as it blew over us. The gentleman with the southern drawl spent a few moments going over the safety precautions and showing us how to use the snorkeling gear correctly. It didn’t sound too difficult and once the boat had come to a stop and was just drifting along, they geared us up and lowered the cage.

I slipped my skirt off and tucked it into the beach bag then rejoined Alex. “Are there any sharks yet?”

He was leaning against the side, peering out at the waters. “Not yet, but they said it shouldn’t be long now.”

“I hope not.” I surveyed the area, suddenly grabbing his arm and pointing towards the surface when I spotted a dorsal fin rising up from below. “Oh! I see one! Right there!”

“Where?” He looked in the direction of my finger. “Ooh, I see him.”

“Oh my gosh, it’s a shark!” I giggled low and watched as it slowly swam closer.

“There’s another one.” Alex pointed the second fin out, then a third and fourth as they seemed to appear out of nowhere.

I couldn’t believe how many sharks were suddenly appearing and swimming close to the boat, like they had no fear.

“They’re used to us,” the man with the hat, who had introduced himself as Ace, explained after making sure the cage was secure in its place.

“They really must be, because they’re not showing any fear.” I leaned over the side, peering down into the water and just watching in amazement at the sight of the shark below us.

Alex gently grabbed my arm. “Careful, baby.”

“I’m not gonna fall in.” I stood right and took his hand in mine, peering towards the end of the boat where the cage was drifting along. “You ready to go down?”

His eyes darted towards the cage then back towards the sharks in the water before finally settling on me. “Are you?”

I wrapped my arms around his waist and kissed his neck. “Oh, I’m ready. Are you not wanting to do this?”

“No, I do,” he chuckled and returned the hug, “I’m just a little nervous.”

“Aww,” I kissed his neck again then pulled back and took his hand, “that’s okay. I’m kinda nervous too, but you heard the guys, they said we have nothing to worry about. We’re perfectly safe.”

“Right.” He took a breath then squeezed my hand. “Okay, let’s do this.”

“You sure?” I wasn’t going to make him if he really didn’t want to.

He lifted my hand and kissed my knuckles. “Yeah, I’m sure.”

I grinned. “Okay, let’s go.”

Together, we headed towards the back of the boat and soon were down in the water, the metals bars doing their job to keep us separated from the sharks that swam back and forth just feet away.

It was definitely an experience I was never going to forget. There had to be half a dozen of them just swimming back and forth going about their business. Together, Alex and I watched as one drifted closer to the cage, nosing at it. He was less than a foot away and instinctively I moved back from the side, grabbing for my boyfriend’s hand.

With the snorkels in our mouths and being underwater, we couldn’t verbally communicate, but I could tell he was amused by my need to distance myself from the large creatures. But it was my turn to laugh when another came up on the side of him and bumped the cage and he jerked away from it. He sent me a cute look before using the underwater camera to snap some pictures of the fascinating animals and then myself.

Snatching the camera from him, I held it out and sidled up next to him, angling it to get a good one of the two of us before taking my own pictures of the sharks and then of my wonderful boyfriend.

We spent another ten minutes down into the cage, before finally surfacing. I kicked my legs to tread in the water and pulled the snorkel bit from my mouth. Using a free hand to wipe my face, I glanced around the top of the surface, seeing even more fins than earlier. “Geeze, how many sharks show up here?”

Ace was manning the cage from the dock of the boat. He wiped his brow with the back of his hand and surveyed the area. “There’s probably about fifteen of ‘em. They like to come watch us as much as we like to watch them.”

“They seem so peaceful,” Alex spoke from beside me.

“They are.”

I reached for the ladder that would take me back onto the boat. “They’re pretty peaceful animals, I’m sure.”

“Sharks are nothing like they’re depicted in the movies.” Ace helped me back onto the deck then did the same for Alex. “That’s why people perceive them as scary and man-eaters.”

I grabbed for my beach towel and wrapped it around myself. “I can’t believe we were that close to them. Did you see that one come right up in front of me?”

Alex laughed and used his own towel to dry his chest and arms. “I saw you move away like you thought he was gonna take a bite out of you.”

“I saw you do the same thing a few times.” I smirked and slipped my feet back into my flipflops.

“I think it’s instinct.” He swatted at my legs with his towel.

I giggled low and slipped my arms around his waist, peering up into his face. “This was a great idea. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” He kissed my lips lightly. “I wanted to give you some good memories of us here.”

I hugged him closer. “You’re certainly doing that.”

His own arms wrapped around me, holding me close to his chest. “Mmm, good.” Then he tilted his head and peered to my face. “Do you think your boss might give you some time off and we could stay out here a few days longer?”

I lifted my brows. “I could ask. I don’t see why not, I’m not really full time anyway.”

“Good.” He kissed my shoulder then my neck. “We’ll just make a vacation out of it.”

That sounded good to me; I could use a few extra days with Alex sequestered away on an island. We’d been through a lot these last few weeks and the time away from everyone with just the two of us would do us both some good. I had a feeling we’d arrive back in LA stronger and more united.

“We aren’t going to stay in the hotel room the entire time though.” I pulled away and unwrapped the towel, using it to dry my hair.

“Oh we’re not, huh?”

“Nope.” I squeezed the excess water from my long locks with the towel. “We’re going to explore Hawaii.”

“Okay, baby,” he smirked at me, “during the day we’ll explore Hawaii, and at night, I’ll explore you.”

This time it was my turn to swat him with the towel. “We’ll see about that.”

He caught the towel and used it to pull our bodies together. “Oh, we’ll definitely see about it alright.”

I giggled and wrapped my arms around his neck. “I love you.”

“I love you.” He kissed my ear. “More than you’ll ever know.”

But I knew, because I felt that exact same way.

~*~*~*~*~

Hours later, Alex and I were strolling hand in hand along a beautiful flower lined path. We’d just finished a dinner on the beach that Alex had set up under a canopy seated on pillows with candles all around. Probably one of the most romantic dates I’d been on yet and my wonderful boyfriend had promised many more before we left the state. Zoe had easily agreed to give me the week off and I promised we could get together when I got back and review all the wonderful ideas I’d come up with from the convention. I didn’t worry about Dixon getting back to California safely; he had his companion with him and I was sure he wouldn’t even notice I wasn’t there. I did leave him a note just in case though.

“So, how did you manage that wonderful dinner on the beach?” I pushed some hair from my face and glanced to him.

Alex smirked. “I have my ways. Sometimes there’s perks to being a celebrity.”

“Ooh, so you used your celebrity ways to impress me, huh?”

He chuckled then slipped his arm around my waist. “I sure did.” A pause. “Did it work?”

“Maybe.” I giggled low and peeked my eyes to him.

He chuckled and kissed my ear. “I’ll take a maybe.”

I grinned and we fell into a comfortable silence, heading down the path and back toward the hotel.

“So, what are we doing tomorrow?” I questioned once we were back onto the hotel grounds.

“Well,” Alex steered us around another couple, nodding his head in a polite greeting, “I thought maybe we could take a helicopter ride and check out the island from the air.”

“Ooh, that sounds wonderful!”

He grinned. “I thought you’d like it.”

“We could see the volcanoes.”

“And later, if we don’t sleep too late and get a good start on the day, we can hike to a waterfall and go swimming, maybe have a late lunch.”

I slipped my arm around his waist and gave him a squeeze. “Look at you being all romantic.”

“I’m just trying to make up for being a douchbag. Besides, I like doing that kind of stuff for you and with you.”

“Alex,” I slowed some, “you don’t have to make up for anything. I thought we were putting it all behind us.”

“We are,” he turned to look at me, “but I still feel like I owe you a wonderful time out here.”

“As long as you’re not doing it because you feel bad for the way things went down between us.”

He shook his head and reached for my hand. “I still feel bad, of course, but I want to do all this for you.”

I studied him a moment then offered up a small smile. “Okay.”

“Okay.” A grin tugged at his lips. “Now, c’mere.” And he slowly pulled me closer and into his embrace.

It felt so nice to be wrapped in his arms and I gave a soft sigh, my own arms going around his body and hugging him to me. “Mmm, this is nice.”

“It is.” He kissed the top of my head. “I love having you in my arms.”

I giggled low and peeked to him. “Wanna take this back to our hotel room?”

“Do you even have to ask?” He chuckled and pulled back, taking my hand in his and nearly pulling me along towards the front entrance to the hotel.

“Alex!” I laughed and hurried along to keep up with him.

Together we made it into the hotel and straight to the elevators. Alex had just pushed the button to call the elevator to the lobby when a voice came from behind.

“Alex?”

I glanced over to the voice to see a woman with shoulder length dark hair a round face with apple cheeks standing behind us. With a questioning look, I glanced towards my boyfriend.

“Sarah…” he looked rather surprised, “what…are you doing here?”

“I could ask you the same thing.” She gave a laugh then moved in and hugged him.

“I’m um…here with my girlfriend,” he replied once she had pulled back. He glanced to me and took my hand again, gently tugging me closer. “Um…Morgan, this is Sarah Martin..Sarah, this is Morgan Weston.”

Sarah turned to me and flashed an annoyingly sweet smile. “Hi, it’s nice to meet you.”

I took the hand she offered me. “Nice to meet you, too.”

Alex smoothed his arm around me. “So, um…Sarah, weird running into you here.”

“I know right.” The brunette laughed then touched his arm. “What are the chances, huh?”

He gave a nod, his hand tightening around my waist. “They’re definitely slim. Are you here alone?”

“Oh gosh, no.” Sarah waved a hand. “I came with some girlfriends. We thought we’d relax on the beach, sip some Mai Tai’s and find a hot guy or two.”

I watched between them. “So um, how do you two know each other?”

Sarah glanced to me then to Alex and back to me. “Oh, we used to date years back.”

“Oh.”

“Mmhmm,” then she smirked, “we almost got married, but realized that it wasn’t the right thing to do.”

Alex cleared his throat. “Well, um…we were heading to our room.”

“Oh, of course.” Sarah stepped back. “Hey, we should have brunch tomorrow.”

“Oh, we already have plans.” Alex ushered us into the elevator when it gave a ding and the doors slid open. “But it was nice seeing you again. Take care.”

“You too. Nice meeting you, Morgan.” She gave a wave as the doors closed in front of her.

“Well, that was interesting.” I turned to my boyfriend.

“Yeah.” He shifted some and studied the silver doors in front of us.

“She the one you were talking about paying bills for?”

Alex gave a nod. “Yeah.”

I reached for his hand. “Hey, it’s okay.”

“I’m sorry.” He sighed and turned to me. “There’s just…a lot of bad memories when it comes to Sarah. I try to have as little to do with her as possible. She can be vindictive and manipulative and I don’t do well when she’s involved in my life.”

I nodded and lifted his hand, kissing his knuckles. “That’s okay, baby. And once you stop paying her way, she can really be gone from your life.”

His dark eyes met mine. “She won’t give the money up that easily. What you saw tonight was her decent side. Once she finds out I’m not paying her bills anymore, she’ll become some evil bitch and won’t play nice.”

“I’m not worried about her.”

He watched me. “She can be a real pain in the ass.”

I shrugged. “Let her try; it’s not going to accomplish anything.”

He chuckled and slipped his arm back around me, drawing me close. “You’re an amazing woman.”

“Mm, I know.”

“And sure of yourself.”

The elevator came to a stop and the doors opened to reveal our floor. Taking his hand in mine again, I led him out and into the corridor. “When it comes to you I am.”

“Just having you around, I’ve already forgotten what we were talking about.”

I giggled and slowed before our suite. “Me too.”

He chuckled and used the keycard to get the door opened. “It’s nice.”

“It’s very nice.” I sent him a sidelong glance then strolled through the doorway. “How ‘bout we keep it that way and just concentrate on each other.”

“I couldn’t agree more. I plan on concentrating all night on you.” Then he followed me into the room and let the door close securely behind us.

Chapter Fifty-Seven by summer
Author's Notes:
Yay, I got an update! Thank you to summer03 and WishingOnAStar for nudging me to update; I was able to sit and get a chapter out. Thanks to those of you still reading. Hope you enjoy and as always, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thank you! :)

Alex and I managed to avoid his ex-fiancée the last two days we spent on the islands. We got our helicopter ride in and flew over the volcanoes, then we island hopped to Maui and found a secluded beach to make love on. Our last day in the tropical paradise we spent scouting out the little shops for the most obscure and different tokens we could find to take back to our friends. Finally, it was time to head back and face the real world and I was half worried all the drama and stress that had wore us down and tore us apart was going to resurface. Hawaii had been like our own little world for the few days we were there and I didn’t want anything to come between us again. It made me more determined to make us> work. I only hoped Alex felt the same way.

We arrived back in Los Angeles on Wednesday, and it wasn’t a long stay back home before we were loading Alex’s SUV and heading back out of the city of Angels. Destination; Phoenix, Arizona; to spend the holiday weekend with my brother and sister-in-law. Then on the way back to Los Angeles, we were going to take in a few days at Vegas; per Alex’s request. I wasn’t keen on the idea of gambling, mainly because I sucked so badly at it; but I could deal with it if he wanted us to go. For him, I’d deal with almost anything that was within reason. That’s how strongly I felt for him.

So we headed out Friday afternoon and soon arrived at Grayson and Candace’s close to ten. The drive had been fairly easy except for the slew of traffic that seemed to be everywhere we were. Did they all have the same destination in mind? Was everyone going to Phoenix? It sure seemed that way. But despite the tailgaters and lead foots, we arrived safely and within a reasonable amount of traveling time; just over six hours.

Candace greeted us at the door, ushering us inside their new, Mediterranean style, three bedroom home. It’d only been a matter of weeks, but she had it already decorated in a rich and lavish style that screamed her and Grayson. It seemed to suit them well and as my sister-in-law showed us into the large great room with a beautiful red brick fireplace, I could only stare in amazement at all the detail she had really put into making sure it looked and felt like home.

“This place is beautiful!”

“You think so?” Candace’s bright eyes darted around the room. “I didn’t overdo it did I? Grayson says I did some, but I really like it.”

“Well, that’s all that matters,” my boyfriend spoke up as he set the luggage we’d brought off to the side.

“That’s right. If you like it, Candace, and you’re happy, then who cares if my brother thinks you overdid it.”

She chuckled and smoothed her top. “You’re right. And hey, he’s been busy in New York and has hardly been out here, save for a few times. He can’t complain about the décor if he wasn’t here to help pick it out.”

I chuckled and slipped an arm through hers. “That’s right; if he gets a job out here and will be out here more then he gets a say.”

She smiled at me. “Thank you, Morgan.”

“Anytime, sis,” I squeezed her arm then glanced around the expansive room, “speaking of my brother…where is he?”

“Making himself a sandwich in the kitchen.” She looked to Alex then me. “Are you two hungry?”

I glanced over to the only male in the room. “You want something to eat, babe?”

“I would, if that’s okay.”

Candace smiled. “Of course it’s okay. You guys make yourselves at home and I’ll go get you some sandwiches. Ham okay?” We nodded our approval and she seemed to glide across the floor in an effortless way before disappearing down a hallway.

“She’s so beautiful,” I sighed out, watching where she’d gone.

“I think you’re beautiful.” Alex slipped behind me and wrapped me in his arms. “You’re way hotter than Candace is.” His lips sought out my ear.

I giggled softly and leaned into his embrace. “Well, thank you. I’ve always been slightly jealous of her, though. She’s always so put together and beautiful and sweet. My brother got very lucky to get a girl like her.”

“How long have they been married?”

I tilted my head. “Gosh, five years? I think. But they’ve been together since college.”

“She seems really sweet.”

“She is.” I shifted in his arms and turned my body to face his, sliding my arms up around his neck. “And my brother can be a moron, so I apologize now for anything he may say or do this weekend.”

Alex smoothed his arms around me a bit tighter. “You don’t have to apologize for your brother.”

“I know, but I want to. He was pretty short with you the last time you guys were together and I don’t want any awkward or uncomfortable situations.”

“Sweetheart, I’m going to be the perfect house guest so if there’s any awkward situations, it’ll be your brother’s doing and he’ll have to deal with it.”

I chuckled low and kissed his lips. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” He smiled then moved a hand up my back and kissed me again.

“Ahem,” the sound came from behind us and I turned to see my brother standing in the doorway, sandwich in hand.

“Hey, Grayson.”

“Hi, Morgan,” he looked to my boyfriend and gave a nod, “Alex. Nice to see you again.”

“Good to see you too. You have a beautiful home.”

Grayson sauntered further into the room, taking a bite of his sandwich. “Thank you, I didn’t have much to do with it. This was all Candace.” He motioned the hand with the sandwich in it around the room.

“She did a good job.” I gauged my brother’s reaction, but he simply shrugged and took another bite of his food. Something seemed a little off with him, but at the moment I couldn’t quite put my finger on what it was. Maybe he was tired, or stressed from traveling back and forth across the country. Both of which could take a lot out of you.

“Okay, you have ham sandwiches, Sun chips and bottled water in the kitchen,” Candace announced as she joined us in the room again.

I smiled and took Alex’s hand. “Thank you, Candace.”

She returned the grin and motioned us to follow her. “No problem, guys…right this way.” Then she led us down a hallway decorated with paintings of seaside cliffs and fields of flowers and into a gourmet kitchen with cream colored granite marble and pristine, white, state of the art appliances. A quaint breakfast table was set right against a bay window that looked out over a vast yard and in-ground pool. “This is gorgeous.” I ran a hand over the smooth countertop and did a slow turn.

My sister-in-law smiled. “Thank you; I think this is probably my favorite room in the whole place.”

“I can see why.” Alex peered around the room. “This is a master kitchen; a real chef would think this place was a dream.”

“That’s just about what our realtor told us when we were checking the place out.” She took some napkins from the holder next to the microwave and placed them on the table.

“It’s the truth.” He pulled my chair out then took his own seat once I was in mine.

“Alex has a nice kitchen.” I placed a napkin in my lap. “You’re going to have to come to LA sometime and visit us.”

Candace joined us at the table. “Do you live together yet?”

I met my boyfriend’s gaze and felt a silly grin covering my face. I think our time together in Hawaii had done a lot for our relationship. “Not yet, but it’s something we might discuss in the near future.”

“Oh yeah?”

I nodded, giggling softly as Alex wiggled his brows at me. “Yeah, we don’t want to rush anything, but it’s a definite possibility down the road a bit.”

“I’m so happy for you two, and then one day maybe we’ll hear wedding bells.”

I laughed and arched a brow across the table.

Alex chuckled and wiped his mouth. “One day; not years away, but we still need some time before we get there.”

“Yes, you definitely need to make sure you’re both ready.”

I nodded, fiddling with a chip before sticking it in my mouth.

Candace sighed some and looked between us. “I’m glad you guys are here. I thought that tomorrow we could go down to the park; they have this whole set up with vendors and some games and they’ll be some performers there. Then they shoot off fireworks over the lake, come dark.”

“That sounds like fun,” I smiled over at my sister-in-law then looked over to Alex, “you okay with that?”

“Yeah, that sounds good to me.” He wiped his fingers on a napkin.

“Sweet,” I turned back to my sister, “we’ll do that.”

“Great, I’ll let Grayson know. I don’t know if he’ll want to go, but I’ll ask him.”

I chuckled. “That doesn’t really sound like something he’d enjoy, but he could always meet up with us for the fireworks.”

“Right, exactly.” She looked over to the doorway to see her husband standing there then excused herself and the two slipped back down the hallway and out of sight.

I watched them go then turned to Alex. “Grayson seems,” I searched for the right word, “off.”

“Off?”

“Yeah, something’s going on. He’s not acting like himself.”

Alex chuckled. “Baby, you’ve seen him for all of two minutes, how do you know he’s not being himself?”

I peered toward the hallway. “Just this feeling I have; and usually they’re right.”

“Well, maybe he’s just tired or something.” My boyfriend ate on the last of his sandwich then reached for his water bottle.

“Maybe.” But something was telling me otherwise. Picking up a half of my sandwich, I tried to put it out of my head, intent on bringing it up to my sister-in-law, next chance I had.

Which came about 45 minutes later. She had shown us to the guestroom and Alex had excused himself for a shower, leaving the two of us alone.

“I love the color you put in here.”

Candace surveyed the room and smiled. “Thank you. It’s Antique Rose; I wanted something warm but not overpowering.”

“It’s lovely. Where did you find all the artwork?” More paintings of beautiful outdoor scenes were mounted on the walls and antique sconces above the headboard gave the room a comforting glow.

“The neatest little art shop in downtown Phoenix. I wouldn’t have ever known about it if the neighbor hadn’t told me; it’s stuck between a hair salon and a travel agency and it’s not very known, but has some of the most beautiful pieces.”

I smiled. “It sounds lovely.”

“It is.” She studied one of the paintings then turned her lively green eyes my way. “I’m glad you’re here, Morgan. I feel like we’ve really lost touch over the last few years.”

“We have, but I sort of lost touch with everyone.” I smoothed a hand on the bed then sank down onto the edge. “Things are good though and my parents and Mimi are going to be coming out to visit at the end of August.”

“Oh yeah? That’s great, Morgan.”

“Mmhmm, I talked to my mom yesterday and she said Mimi just can’t wait to get out here and see California. She’s never been, you know.”

“Really?” Candace settled herself into the rose colored arm chair near the bed.

I nodded. “Yeah, so she’s excited. You should call them and tell ‘em to stop by on the way home. I bet they’d love to visit and see your new home.”

“Oh, I don’t know,” some look I couldn’t distinguish passed over her eyes, “I’m going to be really busy with work and Grayson will be in and out with traveling back to New York.”

“That must be hard, huh.”

“What? Work?”

“No,” I shook my head, “Grayson going back and forth between Phoenix and New York.”

“Oh,” she nodded and her shoulders sank some, “yeah, it wasn’t what I had in mind when I was offered the promotion.”

“What did you have in mind? If I may ask.”

Candace brushed some dark hair from her face. “I don’t know, I guess I thought Grayson might try to find a job out here. It’s hard to only see your husband on the weekends.”

I noted the sadness in her eyes and felt my heart go out to my wonderful sister-in-law. “Have you talked to him about it?”

“Talk until I’m blue in the face.” She gave a low chuckle and wiped at the corner of her eyes. “It always ends in an argument. He loves his job and has worked hard to get there and thinks it’s unfair of me to ask him to leave it behind so I can have a promotion.”

“Well, he has a point, but you do too. That’s a hard choice to have to make.”

“I know,” she sniffed and cleared her throat, “but you don’t need to hear about my problems. You’re out here for a fun visit, I’m sorry.”

“Oh, gosh, Candace, don’t apologize. You’re family and if something’s upsetting you, I want you to feel like you can talk to me about it.”

She studied me a moment before nodding. “I appreciate that. Maybe tomorrow before we head to the park you and I can get in some girl time. I’ll ask Grayson to take Alex to the golf course; Alex likes golf, right?”

I chuckled. “He loves it. I couldn’t get him off the course our last day in Hawaii. I thought I was going to have to leave without him.”

“Aww, that’s funny.” She sighed and smiled brightly at me. “I’m glad you’re doing well again, Morgan. Alex seems really good for you.”

I couldn’t help the grin that covered my face. “Thank you; we’re really good for each other.”

“It sure looks that way. I haven’t seen you this happy or at peace in a long, long time.”

“It’s amazing what being in love can do.”

“It sure is.” She smiled, but it didn’t reach her eyes and I wondered if she and Grayson were having more problems than she let on.

~*~*~*~*~

“Are you sure you’re going to be okay spending the morning with my brother?”

Alex looked to me as he tied his shoes. “I’ll be just fine, sweetheart. That’s the third time you’ve asked me that.” He chuckled and smoothed the leg of his jean down over the top of his shoe. “Do you not want me to go?”

“No, I do,” I sighed, “I just want to make sure you’re okay with it.”

“Of course, I’m okay.” He stood then crossed the room and kissed my forehead. “I’ll be just fine.”

“Good.” I sighed and wrapped my arms around his waist, resting my head against his chest. It was Saturday morning and Alex and I were preparing to part ways for a couple hours; he with my brother on the golf course and I with Candace where we’d do a little shopping then have lunch. We had planned to meet back up with the men around two then head on over to the park for the rest of the day.

Alex kissed my head and hugged me close. “Have a good time with your sister-in-law.”

“I’m gonna try. Good luck with your game.” I smirked up at him. “Kick my brother’s ass all over that course.”

He chuckled. “I’m gonna try. A good luck kiss?”

“Oh, but of course.” Then I leaned up and met his mouth, kissing him with a softness that had a bit of ‘oomph’.

“Why is it that every time I come into the room, you two are making out?”

We broke apart to find my brother had joined us in the great room. I chuckled. “You mean, you don’t go around kissing Candace every chance you get?”

“Not when we have company.”

“That’s a shame.” Alex shook his head then kissed my cheek. “Have fun with Candace.”

“Thank you.” I gave him a quick kiss to the lips then turned to my brother. “Are you guys off?”

Grayson nodded. “I’m ready whenever you are.”

“Let’s roll then.” Alex pulled back from me and took up his sunglasses and ball cap from where he’d set them earlier.

I wished them both luck then watched as they finally headed from the house and toward my brother’s black Escalade; brand new, not even a month old.

After closing the door, I headed off in search of Candace, finding her emptying the dishwasher. “Here you are.”

She looked to me, putting up some plates in the cabinet. “Did the guys get off okay?”

“Sure did.”

“Nice. When do you want to head out?”

I shrugged and slipped up onto a stool across the counter from where she was working. “Whenever you’re ready to.”

“Okay, I just want to empty the dishwasher then load it with the breakfast dishes.”

“No problem, do you want any help?”

She shook her head, some of her dark hair falling from the clip she held it back with and framing her face. “You just sit there and keep me company.”

“I can do that.” I leaned forward some and propped my chin up with my hand, watching her work. “Can I ask you a question?”

“Sure, hon.”

“Is Grayson upset that Alex and I are here this weekend?”

“What?” Her eyes shifted to me. “What makes you think he’s upset?”

I shrugged. “Just a vibe. He hasn’t seemed very happy to see us and he’s been rather short and kind of snappy. Alex and I were kissing and he made it sound like we shouldn’t even be touching because he could see it.”

Candace frowned. “I’m sorry, Morgan, he’s just…” she sighed and closed the silverware drawer, “he’s dealing with a lot and he’s been really stressed out lately. I’m sure he’s glad you’re here.”

“If you guys are dealing with so much, we didn’t have to come. You could have told me and I would have understood.”

“I know.” She sighed and began to load the breakfast dishes. “I wanted you to come out here though, I thought maybe if we had family visit then it’d start to feel like home. And I miss having people I know out to see me.”

“This move was pretty hard on you, wasn’t it?”

“I didn’t think it would be. I thought we’d get a place out here, Grayson could find a company to work at; he’s so talented and successful, and we’d share a life together. But he hardly wants to be out here and when he does come, he’s sore and short tempered,” as she spoke, she tucked the dishes into the proper locations in the dishwasher, keeping herself busy and not looking my way.

“Have you talked to him about it?”

“He doesn’t want to talk. I ask what’s wrong and he tells me he’s just tired or stressed from work.”

That made me frown. Grayson had always been head over heels in love with Candace and to hear that he was distancing himself from her was sad. “I’m sorry, Candace. Maybe you just need to put your foot down and call him on his bullcrap. I had to do that with Alex.”

“Alex has bullcrap?”

I chuckled low. “Loads of it. We had a pretty rough go for awhile.”

She made a face and gently slid the racks back into the dishwasher, lifting the cover and closing it securely. “That’s not good.

“He has some issues, but we’re working through them and things are great again.”

“Good for you.” She washed her hands at the sink then dried them with a dishtowel. “I need to talk to Grayson again; make him tell me what’s going on. Though you know your brother, the more you push the harder he pushes back.”

“I’m so sorry, Candace.”

“It’s not your fault, but I appreciate your sympathy.” She sent me an endearing smile. “But you didn’t come out here to hear my problems. What do you say to forgetting all the drama for awhile and doing what girls do best; shop?”

“You’re my sister-in-law, Candace, you can tell me anything. So, let’s go find some sales and then later, if you’d like, we can chat more.”

“I’d like that.” She took up her sunglasses and handbag from the counter. “I think they were having a shoe sale at Aldo, do you wanna go check it out?”

“Ooh shoes.”

She chuckled. “I guess that answers my question.”

“You know me and shoes.”

“Oh, I certainly do; but does Alex?”

“If he doesn’t, he will after this weekend. You let me loose in a shoe store and we’re liable to have to ship my stuff back to Cali.”

Candace laughed and together we headed from the kitchen.

~*~*~*~*~

“So, you had a good time today?” Alex questioned me later that night, once we were back from the park and in our guestroom.

I looked over to where he was lounging on the bed. “I did; though I think I bought too much stuff.”

He chuckled and surveyed the corner of the room where I had stacked the shopping bags. “Think it’ll all fit into the SUV?”

“We’ll find out.” I finished taking my jewelry off then slipped up next to him on the bed. “Candace was telling me that she wants to take us to brunch tomorrow.”

Alex slipped his arm around me and snuggled me to his side. “That sounds nice.”

“She said the restaurant is new and they have the best breakfast food she’s had in a long time. Which says a lot when it’s my sister-in-law; she’s not big on breakfast at all.”

“We’ll have to check it out.”

I kissed his cheek. “Think you’ll be up and ready to go by 10:30?”

“That depends on if you let me sleep tonight.”

One hand snaked down and squeezed my rear and I giggled low at the smirk in his eyes. “I’ll letcha sleep.”

“Damn.”

I laughed and gently nudged his chest. “Hush, we have to behave ourselves.”

“And why is that?”

“Because we’re guests here, besides, they might hear us.”

He chuckled. “Okay, they probably would; you do get very vocal.”

I shook my head and pulled away, sitting up and straightening the blankets. “Did you and Grayson get along well enough today?”

“As well as could be expected. I think he’s got a lot on his mind.”

“I’m sorry it wasn’t a great day. He and Candace are having some problems with the whole New York and Phoenix thing.”

“Oh hey,” he reached and took hold of my arm, gently tugging me back to him, “it’s okay, baby. I was just fine.

“Good.” I sighed and smoothed a hand along his side. “I just feel so horrible for them both. That’s got to be hard; to be so far away from each other all the time.”

Alex tilted his head and peered down at me. “Long distance relationships are hard, they’re very hard.”

“I’m glad we aren’t long distance.” I met his gaze then frowned at the expression on his face. “What?”

He wet his bottom lip in a hesitant manner. “Things might seem kind of long distance once I start recording then touring again.”

“Well, when is that going to be?”

“I’m not sure. We’re still trying to work out a schedule. We’ll probably start recording within the next couple months.”

“Oh.”

“But hey,” he tightened his embrace around me and offered a reassuring smile, “we’ll be okay. Most of our recording is done in LA and once we start the tour, I’m gonna take you with me as much as I can.”

I smiled at that. “That sounds exciting. I can’t wait to see you perform.”

“Ooh, I could perform for you right now.”

I laughed as he hugged me tight to his chest and rolled me to my back. “I meant on stage!”

Alex chuckled and wiggled his body against mine. “You can be my stage.”

His actions elicited giggles and I pushed at his shoulders. “You are terrible.”

“I prefer to look at it like I’m in love.”

I responded with more giggles then smoothed a hand to his head and brought it down to mine, silencing us both with a kiss.
Chapter Fifty-Eight by summer
Author's Notes:
Thank you for all the motivation. :)

“Why don’t you want to come with us?” Candace questioned my brother the following morning. It was just after 9:30 and the three of us; Alex, Candace and I were ready to head out for some brunch at the new place she had told me about the previous day. Grayson, however, had other things on his mind.

“I’ve got some stuff to do,” was his reply, sounding like he could care less his wife wanted him with her.

She frowned. “But it’s Sunday; and a holiday weekend at that. Do you really have to do work today?”

“Unfortunately my work doesn’t stop because it’s a holiday.”

“You can’t even take an hour and come to brunch with us?”

I shifted on my feet and glanced over to Alex; he looked about as uncomfortable as I felt. Maybe we should be waiting out of earshot.

“Candace, I already told you, I’m not going.”

My sister-in-law looked like she’d been kicked in the chest. “Fine, stay here then.” The glare she shot my brother was one that could make the hair stand up on the nape of your neck and she turned and stalked from the room.

My eyes met my brother’s and I shook my head. “Not cool, bro.” Then I sauntered off behind her with AJ following behind.

“I’m sorry, Candace,” I came up beside her as we reached the driveway, “he’s such a jerk sometimes.”

“I don’t want to talk about it.” She shrugged from my touch and dug her car keys from her purse.

Alex put his hand on my shoulder and I knew he was telling me to just let it go. With a sigh, I found my sunglasses and slid them over my eyes. “Would you like us to drive?”

“No, I can drive.” She withdrew her key ring and pressed the keyless entry and the lights on her silver Lexus flashed once. “You don’t know where the place is.”

I shrugged; she had me there.

“Thank you, though.”

“It’s no problem.” I smiled at her and thanked my boyfriend when he opened my door.

Soon we were on the road heading out of the quaint subdivision my brother and his wife lived in. I had just finished commenting on a beautiful house that stood on a corner a few blocks down from theirs when my cell phone rang. Pulling it from my purse, I smiled as I saw who the caller was.

“Hello.”

“Hey, sweetheart,” my mother greeted me. “How are you?”

“I’m good. How are you?”

“I’m doing well. I thought I’d call and wish you a happy Independence Day.”

I smiled at that. “I’m glad you did. What are you and daddy up to today?”

“Oh, we’re having a cookout later this afternoon. Your grandmother is coming over and we’re having some of the neighbors over as well.”

“That sounds like fun. Please tell me dad’s not going to try to beef up the grill again.” I could still remember the time he’d insisted on upgrading the grill himself and nearly sent the entire thing sky high.

My mother laughed. “Goodness no; he learned his lesson after he burnt his eyebrows off.”

“Good, then I think you’ll all have a good time.”

“I think so too. What are your plans for today?”

I glanced over to where my sister-in-law was driving. “Alex and I drove out to Phoenix for the weekend.”

My mother gasped. “You’re visiting Grayson and Candace? That’s wonderful, honey! Please tell them I said ‘hello’. I tried calling your brother right before I called you, but he didn’t answer.”

“Oh, I’m sure he’s busy, but I’ll do that. Candace, Alex and I are headed out to brunch right now. Grayson had some work to do.”

“That boy is always working. He works too much, I think.”

She had no idea. “Well, he’s got a pretty stressful job.”

“I told him he needs to quit and go into a business for himself, or just relax for awhile. He can afford to do that.”

“You just want grandbabies.” I chuckled and peeked my eyes over to my sister-in-law. She made a face and my mother laughed. “Darn right I do. I can’t believe my son doesn’t want any children; he had a happy childhood.”

“It’s not always about that.”

“You want children, right?”

“Of course, but that’s not going to be for awhile yet, Mom.”

“I know and I don’t want to rush you into anything. You’re doing so well again and I’m so proud of you.”

Tears misted my eyes at that and I smiled. “Thank you. Things are great, Mom.” I glanced behind me to my wonderful boyfriend that sat in the backseat. He winked and I giggled low. “I told you we had a great time in Hawaii.”

“You did and we can’t wait to come out and visit you both.”

“I can’t wait for that either.”

She sighed softly. “Okay, let me let you go. I don’t want to take up your time with Candace.”

“Okay; I hope you and daddy have a great day.”

“I’m sure we will. Have a good time and a safe trip back to LA. I love you, baby.”

“I love you too, Mom.” I lowered my phone and severed the call.

“They doing okay?” Candace glanced over to me.

“Sure are; they’re gonna have a barbecue this afternoon; have Mimi and some neighbors over.”

“Oh, that sounds fun.”

I nodded and turned to peek back to Alex. “And they’re so excited to come out and visit us.”

His face broke out into a wide grin. “I’m excited to see them; your Mimi is such a trip.”

Candace chuckled. “She really is. I’m just glad she’s doing well after everything.”

My thoughts drifted back to my grandfather and I frowned. “Me too.”

“It’s hard to lose someone you love.”

The look on her face and the tone of her voice made me wonder if there was a double meaning to that statement. And when she looked my way and our eyes met, I knew there was. Damn that Grayson.

~*~*~*~*~

The following day, after brunch, Alex loaded up the SUV. We would soon be heading out for Vegas and my wonderful boyfriend wanted to get things ready in plenty of time. At the moment, he was trying to figure out how to fit all the items I’d bought on my shopping spree with Candace into the back of the vehicle. It was an art, he’d told me as I watched him wiggle and tuck things here or there and when I had tried to help, he had kissed me on the nose and told me I was very sweet, but he had it all under control. So instead, I headed off in search of a quiet place and called Dianna to check on how Daisy was doing.

I was just hanging up with her when my brother strolled into the den.

“Hey.”

He jerked some, not expecting to find anyone in the room then nodded in my direction. “Hi.”

I fiddled with my phone, watching as he crossed the room to the large desk by the window and set a folder down. “When do you head back to New York?”

“Monday; with the holiday on a Sunday, they’ve given us Monday off.”

“Oh, that’s nice.”

“Yeah,” he pulled out the office chair and sank down into it, “I would have preferred to work tomorrow though.”

“So you don’t have to be out here with Candace?” Okay, maybe it was the wrong thing to say, but Candace was so upset and I hated to see her that way.

Grayson stilled and when his eyes met mine, a chill went down my spine at the look in them. “Excuse me?”

Might as well just come out with it. “I talked to Candace.”

“You did?”

“Yeah, she said you work a lot.”

He leaned back in his chair, watching me with a crease in his forehead. “I know you’re my sister and you think you have my best interests in mind, but it’s really none of your business.”

“She’s really upset, Grayson. She’s your wife!”

“And it’s none of your business.”

I sighed. “If you really don’t like her having taken this job, why not talk to her about it? She says you refuse to talk to her. All that’s going to do is drive you two further apart. Is that what you want?”

“Of course it’s not what I want!” His frown deepened. “I love Candace, but we’re going through problems like every married couple does. And what happens between us is between us; not you or anyone else.”

I held up my hands. “I understand that and I’m not trying to tell you what to do, Grayson. I just want you to know how hurt and upset she is. Your refusal to talk to her about it is only making it worse.”

He pinched the bridge of his nose and was quiet a moment before speaking, “I appreciate your concern for my wife, Morgan, but this conversation is over.”

“That’s fine. But don’t come crying to me if your marriage falls apart because of your stubbornness.” I shook my head some. “Candace is such a wonderful person and you’re very lucky to have her; just don’t let that luck run out.” Then I shrugged and made my exit.

Candace was coming down the hallway as I headed from the den. “There you are; Alex sent me to find you.”

“Is everything okay? Does he need my help loading the SUV after all?”

She chuckled. “No, he wants to know if you want to ship anything back or wait until Vegas and ship from there.”

“Ooh, this must mean we’re shopping in Vegas too.”

“That what it sounds like.” She nudged my arm. “You lucky thing.”

I couldn’t help my grin. “What can I say? I have the best boyfriend in the world.”

“You most certainly do. Hang onto him for as long as you possibly can.”

“Oh, he’s not going anywhere.”

She chuckled. “What time are you guys heading out?”

“Whenever he’s ready to go. I have no idea how long it takes to get to Vegas from here; but I’m sure he does.”

“Well, Vegas is the city that never sleeps, so it probably doesn’t matter if you get there late.”

“I thought New York was the city that never sleeps.”

Candace shrugged. “Vegas is the New York of the west.”

“Hey, that’s a very good way of looking at it.” Together we began to head back down the hallway to the door that led to the garage, where my boyfriend was loading up our vehicle.

We found Alex in the back of the SUV, surrounded by luggage and shopping bags. My eyes stretched at the sight and I gave a surprised laugh. “Did I seriously buy that much stuff?”

He turned at the sound of my voice and chuckled low. “You are lethal in a shoe store and I shouldn’t let you back into one in a long time.”

“Geeze, I hadn’t realized she bought that much either,” Candace spoke from beside me.

I chuckled and felt a slight blush creep over my cheeks. “Well, in my defense, I hadn’t been shoe shopping in ages.”

“Remember that next time you wanna go.” He winked at me and I knew he was teasing.

“I’ll just take you with me; and we can rent a moving truck.”

My sister-in-law laughed. “She’s got it all figured out.”

“She thinks she does,” he tossed our way as he worked on fitting the suitcases in so they didn’t slide. “Sad thing is, I’ll probably cave and do just that.”

I giggled. “He loves me.”

“I do,” Alex admitted as he finally climbed from the back of the SUV. “Okay, we are done. You aren’t buying anything else.”

I slipped my arms around his waist and gave him a squeeze. “If I do we can ship it back.”

“Hey, you could tie Morgan to the top of the SUV and use her seat to store more items.”

I sent Candace a playful glare. “Don’t give him ideas.”

“I’ve already considered that.” He winked her way then looked to me, patting my butt. “You about ready to go? We have a good drive ahead of us.”

“How long is that?”

“About five in a half, six hours. Depends on traffic.”

“And it’s holiday weekend, you’ll probably run into a good bit.”

I looked over to Candace. “I hate traffic.”

She chuckled. “I’m sorry; next time, take a plane.”

“We are so doing that.” I pulled myself from Alex’s grasp. “I just need to grab my purse and sunglasses and we need to tell Grayson bye.”

Luckily, Grayson seemed to be over the lecture I had given him and he hugged me goodbye, thanking us for coming out and telling us to try and make another trip sometime. Alex shook his hand and invited him and Candace out to California whenever they could make it. I hugged Candace tight and told her if she needed to talk, I was just a phone call away. She thanked me and whispered that she was going to drag it out of my brother if it was the last thing she did. Wishing her luck, I finally stepped back and let her hug my boyfriend goodbye.

Shortly after, we were on the road and headed for the expressway.

“That was a good time, huh?” I questioned Alex as I scrolled through his iPod in search of a song to play.

“Yeah, it was pretty nice.”

“The fireworks last night at the park were so beautiful.”

“They had a really good display.”

I sighed and looked to him. “I’m sorry if things were kind of awkward; I don’t know what’s going on between the two of them.”

Alex reached over and squeezed my knee. “It’s okay, baby, we survived. I just hope they’ll be able to work out whatever differences they’re having.”

“Me too.” I frowned as I thought back on it. “Poor Candace, it makes me want to shake my brother until he confesses what’s going on.”

Alex chuckled. “I don’t think he’d appreciate that.”

“Well, I wouldn’t really do it. But I’d like to. I just don’t understand why he’s acting the way he is and poor Candace,” I pouted, “she’s so upset and he refuses to even talk to her. How do you not talk to your wife?”

My boyfriend tilted his head. “Maybe he’s afraid of what she might say.”

“Say about what?”

“What he’s feeling.”

“So instead, he behaves this way and makes things worse.”

Alex glanced to me. “I’m just throwing out suggestions here, babe. I don’t know what’s going on with your brother and I’m sorry they’re having to deal with it, but stressing yourself out about it isn’t going to help.”

I sighed. “I know, it just upsets me.”

“I know it does.” He squeezed my knee again.

My hand found its way down to his. “I hope we never become like that.”

“Me too, baby.”

“Promise me that we won’t.”

He looked to me. “I’ll do my best, sweetheart. Besides,” he chuckled low, “you have a way of forcing things out of people. So even if we do, it won’t last long, I’m sure.”

I giggled low and traced the back of his hand with my fingers. “Good.”

He turned and caught my hand in his then brought it to his mouth, kissing my fingertips softly. “I love you.”

I smiled, resting my head against the back of the seat and watching him. “I love you.

“When we get back to LA, maybe we can sit down and talk about moving in together.”

My brows lifted and I couldn’t help the grin that continued to spread across my face. “You think we’re ready for that?”

“Do you?” His dark eyes met mine and I felt my heart tug at the love held in them.

“I think we’re ready to talk about it. I don’t want to rush into anything, or make any decisions based on the last few weeks. I know they’ve been great, but I think we need to make sure our relationship is strong again.”

He nodded. “I understand that. And I don’t mean we would move in together right away.”

“I know.” I squeezed his hand. “I guess I just want to make sure that we’re really okay again.”

“Do you think we are?”

I studied him a moment before offering up a grin. “I think we’re getting there. Hawaii was good for us, but now that we’re back in the ‘real world’, so to say, I think we need time to just let our relationship flow and take it a day at a time.”

He looked my way. “Are you still upset with me?”

“No,” I shook my head, “but you can’t tell me you are completely over everything. You weren’t telling me things and you didn’t think you were good enough for me and you have some self esteem issues you need to work through. I think we’re on the right path, but it’s not smooth sailing yet. Besides, we don’t even know how your exes are going to react once they find out you aren’t footing their bills anymore.”

He made a face at that. “Should be soon. I called my accountant Thursday and had him get the ball rolling.”

“And you think Sarah is going to cause a fuss?”

“Oh, you have no idea the kind of bullshit she is going to spew.” He looked to me. “Least you met her already so when she comes busting up into my place, you’ll know who she is and what’s going on.”

My eyes narrowed. “She can bring it. She doesn’t scare me.”

“Oh, she’ll definitely do that.” He kissed my fingers again. “I’m warning you now though, she’s conniving and manipulative and she is going to say all kinds of things; so be prepared.”

“I’m ready. She can do whatever she wants and the only thing it’ll do is make her look the fool.”

“I sure hope so.”

I tilted my head. “Are you worried that she’s going to do something that’ll make me change my mind about us?”

Alex sighed at that. “I know you aren’t going to change your mind, but…” he wet his bottom lip, “she was with me when I was doing a lot of the bad shit in my life and she was with me when I went into rehab and tried to get myself back on the right track.” His eyes briefly met mine before he turned back to the road ahead of us. “She knows a lot and she would definitely use it against me, you, us.”

I shrugged. “Well, we’ll just have to make sure we don’t let her.”

“I’m just warning you; things might get ugly.”

“I’m ready for whatever she’s gonna throw our way.”

He squeezed my hand. “You are the most beautiful, strongest, will powered and bravest woman I know and I feel blessed that you love someone like me.”

“Well, I think I’m pretty darn lucky to have someone like you loving someone like me.”

He chuckled. “We’re in the same boat on that one, huh?”

“Yes we are.” I smiled and closed the distance between us to place a soft kiss on his cheek. “Okay, no more sad or stressful or drama talk. We’re on our way to Vegas and we’re gonna have a good time, not let ourselves get bogged down.”

“That sounds like a good plan.”

I smiled and pulled his hand into my lap, holding it with both of mine. Alex’s warning about his ex-fiancée slightly worried me. I tried to make it seem like I wasn’t bothered by it, but what woman wouldn’t be in my situation? I was confident I could handle it though. Look at everything I’d already survived and overcame. Besides, she was just one person, how much trouble could she be?
Chapter Fifty-Nine by summer
Author's Notes:
I'm on the ball today! Thanks for all the feedback and hope you enjoy! :)

Las Vegas was a lot more fun than I expected. We played the usual casino games; the slots, blackjack, poker, roulette and craps. Alex won more money than I did and when I started losing more than I started with, I put a stop to my gambling. He walked away pretty successful, especially after a nice game of poker that only sweetened his winnings.

We managed to take in a show or two as well. I’d never seen Blue Man Group so he took me there the first night we were in the city. The following night we did a city lights tour in an airplane high over the Vegas strip and then proceeded to spend the rest of the night trying to win some money.

It’s true what they say about never sleeping in Vegas, because I don’t think we did. It was one thing after another and then another. There was just too much to see and do and the four days we were there wasn’t nearly enough to fit it all in. Alex promised we’d come back as soon as we could and I was satisfied enough with that response to let him pack up our things so we could head out.

Once we’d returned to LA, it was back into our routine. I would head to the office and Alex actually began his own work at a studio downtown, working on writing and recording the newest Backstreet Boys album. I had yet to meet his band mates, but he told me as soon as I was free one afternoon to head on down and he’d introduce us. He said they were jonesing to meet the girl that had tamed AJ McLean, which made me nervous yet excited at the same time. What if they didn’t like me?

Unfortunately, once I was back to work, I was swamped making up all the work I had missed and wasn’t able to get down to the studio. The first four days I even had to work through my lunch hour. It wasn’t fun in the least, but I sealed three deals on homes and acquired quite a few new clients.

The first two weeks kept the both of us busy and it wasn’t until the end of July, the evening of the 23rd, to be exact, that I got to see Dianna. She’d been feeling really ill during the day so Manny had kept her tucked away in bed and by the time I’d drag myself home, she was asleep. This pregnancy was proving to be pretty tough on my friend.

But that Friday, she burst into my house, after I’d been home not even ten minutes, with eyes so big I thought they were going to slip right out of their sockets.

“Dianna, what’s wrong?” I was standing at the counter in the kitchen looking through my mail.

“Oh my God, Morgan, the Lord is trying to kill me!”

I blinked slowly. “What’s going on?”

She shook her head, her curly hair bobbing all over the place. “I’m in hell!”

“What are you talking about?” I lowered the mail in my hand to the counter and turned to face her fully.

“I’m talking about this baby,” she waved her hand in the vicinity of her abdomen, “or should I say…babies, as in two, dos…twins!”

This time my eyes nearly fell out of their sockets. “Twins?”

“Yes!” She nodded her head in fervor. “We’re having twins!”

I stared at her in shock for a long second then laughed. “Twins? Oh my gosh, Dianna, that’s great!” Moving to my friend, I wrapped her in a tight hug.

“What do you mean it’s great?” She managed to question as I squeezed her tight. “That’s two babies, Morgan, in case you hadn’t noticed. I don’t know how I’m going to handle one…how the hell am I supposed to deal with two?”

I released her and stepped back, smoothing my blouse some. “You’re going to be just fine. Manny will help and you know I’ll do what I can. You’re freaking out now, but once those babies arrive you’re going to be so in love you won’t even care that they set each other off with their crying and one will sleep the other will wake then that one will sleep and the first will wake.”

“Would you shut up, you are not helping.”

I giggled. “Relax; I’m just messing with you. You’re going to be okay, Dianna. It’s not the end of the world. That’s exciting news and I’d be overjoyed if it were me.”

“Then you have these babies then. You push two watermelons out of something the size of your nostrils one right after the other.”

I knew I couldn’t feed into her panic. “Women have been having babies since the beginning of time. I think once you’re holding those precious children you won’t even remember the labor pains.”

“What is with your Pollyanna attitude?” She pulled out a chair and plunked herself down at the kitchen table.

I shrugged and took a Capri Sun pouch from the fridge, tossing her one then joining her at the table. “I’m in a really good place in my life. You’re not used to this Morgan because for the last nearly two years, you’ve known the depressed and sad me. I’m not that me anymore.”

“I know and I think it’s great.” She nudged my leg with hers in a friendly manner. “I’m just freaking out right now. We had the doctor’s appointment today and I nearly passed out on the table. I think Manny had a mini stroke.”

I chuckled. “Poor Manny, how’d he take the news?”

“Well, after the initial shock wore off, he was pretty excited. He’s hoping for once of each.”

“How ‘bout you?”

“Two boys. Girls are too much drama and maintenance.”

I giggled low. “Maybe you’ll have identical boys; how freaken cute would that be?”

“Cute until they learned the switcharoo game and started pulling pranks.”

“Something tells me you’d know right off the bat and you’re gonna be the kind of mom that doesn’t take any crap.”

“Damn straight.” She sighed and sipped some juice from the pouch.

I studied her a moment. “So, when are you due?”

“February 15th. I’m in the middle of my tenth week.”

“Already?”

“Can you believe it? And I even have a baby bump.” She set her drink down and pulled her shirt tight against her stomach, revealing a small bump in her lower abdomen. “I’m going to get so fat.”

“My gosh, Dianna,” I giggled low, “that is so cute!”

“You think that’s cute? You get one and we’ll talk about it.”

I made a face. “Now is not the time for me to be having a baby.”

“Oh sure it is,” she took up her Capri Sun pouch once more, “you could have one of mine. I’ve got two.”

“Would you stop trying to give your babies away. What you have is a blessing and you should be so lucky to have children. There are so many women out there that aren’t able to.”

“I know.” She sighed and slouched in her seat. “I just wasn’t expecting this and I would have been perfectly fine had this not happened.”

“But it did.” I reached across the table and squeezed her arm. “You’re going to have two beautiful children and there is a reason for that.”

She tilted her head. “You think so?”

“I know so. Why else would God do that to you?”

“Cuz he hates me.” She chuckled low. “I should have gone to church more.”

I shook my head some. “He doesn’t hate you. And I’m so excited for you. Just wait until I start shopping.”

“Ooh no,” her eyes widened, “you are going to be terrible.”

“Those little babies are going to be so spoiled by their Aunt Morgan.”

“And then I get to deal with them after their Aunt Morgan spoils ‘em rotten.”

I smirked. “That’s the way it always goes.”

“Yeah, yeah,” she eyed me playfully, “you just wait until you have your own. Then we’ll talk.”

~*~*~*~*~

“Are you nervous?” Alex looked to me as he pulled into the parking spot at the recording studio in downtown LA and put the SUV into park.

I was going to get to meet the rest of his band mates today. They were meeting up to do some more studio work and lay another track or two and I’d been lucky enough to have the day off. So I was going to join them. Alex had assured me that I wouldn’t be bored, a few of the wives were going to be there, but I wasn’t worried about being bored. I was worried about not fitting in.

I took a little breath and tried not to let too much of my nerves show. Truth be told, I was freaking out inside. But I didn’t want anyone to know. “I’m doing okay.”

His dark eyes roamed over me. “You’re lying.”

“Maybe just stretching the truth a little.”

Alex chuckled low. “You’re gonna do great, baby.” He reached over and took my hand in his. “You’ll love the guys and they’re going to love you. They already do with all the wonderful things I’ve filled their head with.”

“Are you sure? You’re not just saying that?”

“Of course not.” He kissed my palm. “They know how sweet you are and how you’re keeping me in line and they’ve seen the changes in me and they already want to exalt you.”

That made me smile. “That helps some.”

“Good.” He pressed his lips to the back of my hand and wiggled his brows at me.

I giggled. “Okay, are we going to sit here all day or are we gonna go inside?”

“Oh, we’re going, I just wanted to admire you for a minute.” He leaned over and kissed my lips softly then unbuckled and slipped from the vehicle. Moving around to my side, Alex opened my door then helped me out and together we headed into the building.

We found his band mates in a large room with a round table and a green sofa. A couple vending machines stood in the corner and a refrigerator and sink were against the opposite wall. It didn’t look anything like a recording studio to me, but what did I know.

“There you are!” A tall, blond man exclaimed as Alex led me into the room.

“You’re late,” a shorter Hispanic man added from his place in a brown, plastic chair.

Alex shrugged in a casual manner. “So sue me.” Then he drew me closer to his side. “Guys, this is Morgan. Morgan, these are the guys.” He motioned to them as he introduced each one, “Nick, Howie and that’s Brian.”

Brian was eating some Fritos when my boyfriend introduced him and he shoved them into his mouth and wiped his hand on his shirt before extending it to me. “It’s nice to finally meet you.”

I sent him a nervous smile and took his hand. “It’s good to meet you too.”

“Alex talks about you a lot,” Howie interjected once Brian released my hand and he took it in his.

“Yeah, we don’t get much work done because he won’t stop ‘Morgan this’ or ‘Morgan that’.

I looked over to Nick and felt a blush creep over my cheeks. “I’m sorry.”

“Oh, don’t apologize,” he smirked at his friend then sauntered over and shook my hand as well, “it slows us down but we’re glad to see him happy.”

“We really are.” Brian patted him firmly on the back. “Now, if we could just get his head in the game and not up in the clouds, then we’ll really be happy.”

Alex shrugged the shorter man off and chuckled. “Shut up, bro, we’re getting work done.”

Nick shook his head. “No, don’t you mean; his head in the game and not up Morgan’s skirt?”

My eyes stretched and my entire face flushed.

My boyfriend shoved the blond in the chest. “Shut your trap before I do it for you.”

Nick laughed. “You know I’m just messin’.” Casting his eyes to me, he smoothed the blue polo he wore. “We like to mess around with each other.”

I cleared my throat some. “Um, yeah, I see that.”

Alex shook his head then joined me again. “Where’s the women?”

“Leigh is out showing off her new ride,” Howie explained.

My boyfriend arched his brows. “I didn’t see them outside.”

“That’s because she insisted we park blocks away so no one would put a scratch in her new baby.”

Alex laughed and I chuckled.

Brian tossed his empty Fritos bag into the trash. “They’ll be back in a few. We thought we’d lay down the song we finished last week first then work on a few more. Nick said he has a new one he wants us to look over.”

“Sounds good to me.” He smoothed his hand over my back. “You gonna be okay for awhile, babe?”

“Of course, don’t worry about me,” I motioned toward the messenger bag at my side, “I brought enough work to keep me busy.”

He flashed his charming grin. “Don’t get too distracted with that, I want you to see me doing what I do best.”

I thought now probably wasn’t the time for an inappropriate comment, at least not in my first meeting with his pals. “I won’t.” Luckily though, someone else brought it up for me.

“I doubt that’s what she thinks you do best,” Nick shot our way as he grabbed a bottled water from the fridge then leaned against the wall and opened the cap.

I couldn’t help the laugh and put my face into Alex’s shoulder.

He laughed as well then flicked his friend off. “I’m well aware of what she thinks I do best and she’s very right. I just didn’t think now was the right time to be bringing that up. I’m trying not to embarrass my woman.”

Nick smirked. “That’s why I’m doing it for you.”

“You’re going to find yourself in some deep shit in a minute, bro.”

Brian cleared his throat. “How ‘bout we get started? I’m hoping to get out of here before nine tonight.”

“I hear ya,” Howie agreed, retrieving his own water from the fridge and tossing Brian a bottle.

Alex nodded then took my hand and led me over to the sofa. “Okay, we’re gonna go on into the studio. You can come watch or stay in here. After we’re done with that, we’ll be back in here to work on some new lyrics. You can help yourself to the food and drinks and the bathroom is right across the hall.”

I grinned. “Stay in here? Are you kidding? I want to see you work.”

He couldn’t contain his grin. “I was hoping you’d say that.”

“Of course.” I slipped my bag from my shoulder and set it between the arm of the couch and the wall, then I took his hand again. “Lead the way, love.”

He kissed my knuckles then we followed the others from the room and down the hall into a recording room.

This time I was convinced we were definitely in a recording studio. One half of the room was the booth with the large glass panes up to block the sound from getting in or out. Two microphones extended down from the ceiling and four stools were waiting for use. The other half of the room was the sound board which I couldn’t even begin to understand, there were so many knobs and buttons and lights and switches. Two men sat before it with headphones around their necks and looking right in place like they belonged there. A sofa and a few chairs adorned the side wall for visitors or others to observe the recording session and a small table covered with papers sat halfway between the board and the lounge area.

“This is amazing.”

Alex smirked my way. “It’s something else, isn’t it?”

I nodded and took it all in. “It really is. It’s nearly overwhelming.”

“Aww,” he chuckled and kissed my shoulder, “just wait until we get started. Then you’ll be completely awed and amazed.”

I giggled and squeezed his hand with both of mine. “I’m excited.”

“Good.” He kissed my lips again then looked to the doorway as two women sauntered in; one blonde and one brunette. “Here come the wives now.”

I pulled back and Alex introduced me to Leighanne, Brian’s wife, and Leigh, Howie’s wife. Both women took my hand and echoed the men’s responses with it being about time Alex introduced us. Leighanne joked that she was beginning to think I was fictional.

I chuckled and stated that I was very real and glad that we were finally meeting. Alex left us to make small talk and joined the rest of the men in the booth. Leigh motioned to the sofa and we took some seats, turning our attention away from each other to focus on the men as the guys running the boards gave them some instructions then flipped the music on.

When the guys, now all four donned with headphones, began to sing, I think my heart stilled. Their harmonies were absolutely beautiful and sitting there watching as their voices blended in the perfect way made goosebumps spread down my arms. I stared in amazement, my eyes were glued to my boyfriend and everything around us seemed to fade away as his voice and the power of it pulled me under.

“They’re something else, aren’t they?”

I glanced beside me to Leigh and nodded. “They really are. It gives me chills.”

She smiled. “Me too still, and I’ve been hearing it for years and years.”

I glanced back to them and felt myself melt when our eyes met and he smiled. “I haven’t really heard him sing before. At least, not like this.”

“You’re in for a real treat.”

“Were you a fan?” Leighanne questioned from my other side.

“Not really, but I used to listen to them in high school. I actually had no idea who Alex was when we first met. He had to tell me about all of this later on in our relationship,” I explained, never taking my eyes off my boyfriend.

Leigh chuckled. “I bet that was a shock.”

“A little bit, but all of his fame hasn’t really affected us. I stay away from the internet, unless it’s for work and we haven’t had to deal with any crazy fans yet. I didn’t see my first fan encounter with him until we were in Vegas.”

“You’re a smart girl,” Leighanne looked impressed, “but just wait until the album drops and they hit the road. Then the crazies are going to come out.”

“Especially if you tour with them,” Leigh added.

I tore my eyes away from Alex and looked between the two women. “When will they be touring?”

Leighanne pushed some long hair behind her shoulder. “They’re still in the early stages of the whole process, so it probably won’t be until next summer.”

“Though the promotion touring will start a little before the album comes out.”

“Promotional tour?”

Leigh nodded. “They travel around doing radio interviews and television appearances to kind of get some support for their album. Get the word out, so to say.”

“Though the promo tour is a lot of going back and forth whereas the official tour is them on the road all the time.”

I felt like I was at a tennis match as my head turned side to side to see each woman when they spoke. They sure knew a lot about this stuff, which I was glad for because I was clueless. Alex hadn’t done a really good job in preparing me for everything and I was trying to make mental notes on things I wanted to ask him about later.

“When will the album come out?”

Leigh looked away from her husband and met my gaze. “Springtime, unless they really get on the ball and are able to have the album complete by New Years; then it’ll be winter.”

“Alex hasn’t talked to you about all this?” Leighanne questioned.

“Not really. He’s told me that they’ll be touring and about the album somewhat, but I don’t know much more than that. I don’t even know what touring is like.”

“Well,” the blonde sucked in a breath, “that depends on who you are, what’s going on when the tour starts and how your relationship is.”

“It also depends on how long the tour is,” Leigh added. “Oh, and how many breaks they get.”

My head was starting to swim. “How long is their tour going to be?”

Both women shrugged. “They haven’t gotten that far yet,” Leighanne answered. “They usually sit down and discuss the tour once the album is nearly complete.”

“Oh.”

“So don’t start getting yourself worked up or worried.”

I glanced to my boyfriend when I heard the singing stop and saw them hunched over one of the music stands that held the sheet music. Turning back to Leighanne, I tucked some of my own blonde hair behind my ear. “What is there to get worried about?”

The two women exchanged glances and Leigh shook her head ever so slightly at Leighanne.

My brows drew together at that. “What?”

The brunette put her hand on my arm. “Just the normal ‘being separated from the man you love’ stuff. But we know nothing about the tour, so it’s pointless to think about that kind of stuff this early.”

“Oh,” I nodded some, “that makes sense.” Though I had a sneaky suspicion there was more to it than that. Hopefully, I would remember all this to bring it up to my boyfriend. There was a lot I had no idea about and I wanted to make sure I was fully prepared for whatever was to come our way. Touring, recording, promotional touring; it sounded like a lot and I hoped I could handle it all. My life had never been easy and I didn’t think it was going to start being that way now.
Chapter Sixty by summer
Author's Notes:

Thank you to those of you still following Morgan and Alex's story. Hope you enjoy this chp. As always, I love hearing your thoughts. :)

 

“So, you had fun today, huh?” Alex questioned later that evening, once they were done with their studio work and we were back at his place, stretched out together on the sofa. My head was against his chest and he was smoothing his fingers through my long hair.

“You know I did.” I peeked my eyes toward him and smiled. “Watching you record was so amazing; your voice gives me shivers.”

He smirked and tickled lightly at my neck. “My voice isn’t the only thing that can do that.”

“Hush,” I gently pushed his hand away and he continued to play with my hair, “you know what I mean. I’m really glad you took me and it was great finally getting to meet your band mates and Leigh and Leighanne. Everyone seems really great.”

“Yeah, I like ‘em.” He chuckled and shrugged a shoulder. “They like you too; especially Nick. He doesn’t pick on just anybody.”

He was referring to the entire time that I was there, Nick kept throwing a comment here or there. I hadn’t minded one bit because they weren’t cruel things he was saying and I found myself laughing more than I was embarrassed. “Nick seems really cool.”

“Yeah, that’s what they all say.” He chuckled and leaned his head back against the sofa. “I’m glad you liked the wives; sometimes they can be a little standoffish. I was slightly worried that’d be the case today.”

I looked up to him. “They both seemed very nice. They were filling me in on all the lovely details dealing with the album, the tour and the promoting. My head felt like it was swimming.”

Our eyes met. “Aww, what about it was so overwhelming?”

“Everything,” I chuckled low then shifted off him and sat up straight, drawing my legs up Indian style to face him, “there was so much and I didn’t realize everything that went into an album and the tour.”

“Well, what did they tell you?”

I thought back on our conversations. “Well, they said the album will probably come out in the spring, unless you guys really focus and get it out in the winter. And then you’ll be doing promotional touring and traveling back and forth to different places to promote the album. And once it drops, then you’ll do the official tour, which you’ll be gone for extended periods of time and that it can be hard because we’ll be apart for so long and it can really take a lot out of a relationship and I don’t even know what touring is like and the entire conversation really overwhelmed me and-”

“Whoa, Morgan, love,” he cut me off, reaching over and taking both my hands in his, “take a breath.”

I blinked then did exactly that. “Sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry.” He gently tugged me over and into his lap. “I’m glad you’re talking to me about this. I know we haven’t really talked about it. I should have prepared you more before you met the women.”

“I like them.”

“I know you do.” He wrapped me close in his arms and kissed my neck. “They can be a little much sometimes though, especially if you have no idea about any of what they’re bombarding you with.”

“Then make me aware; tell me about it.”

He pressed his lips together in a thoughtful manner and nodded. “Alright, what do you want to know?”

“How long do you tour for?”

“That depends on where we go. If it’s a World tour then it can take a year or more, if it’s just places here or there, then it’s broken up over a period of six months to a year, depending on where we go. We usually try to get to Japan, some spots in Europe and Asia, maybe one or two Australia shows and then of course Canada and the United States. Of course, depending on how our promotional tours and how our singles are doing in the different areas, we may add to or take away from.”

I listened closely, nodding my head. “So it sounds like it’s gonna be pretty lengthy.”

“Well, they usually are but we try to break it up. Brian and Howie have families and we try not to keep them apart for too awfully long. So we’ll be gone a few months then come back for a little bit then head out again somewhere new,” as he spoke, he massaged my shoulders in an attempt to relax me.

It was working; I could feel myself melting more into his body. “How often do their families go on tour with them?”

Alex tilted his head some. “Well, that depends on a lot of things; where we’re going, how long we’re going to be away, what’s going on in the lives of the wives and children and how badly they miss each other.” He gave my shoulders a squeeze. “But you won’t have to worry about any of that because I plan on taking you with me.”

“For the whole tour?” I turned my head to look at him.

He smirked. “For the whole tour.”

That made me smile. “I’ll definitely join you as often as I can, but I have a job and Daisy. What would I do with her? I can’t leave her for long periods of time. She’d go crazy.”

“She can stay with Bernie and Ozzy, I think with Bernie around 24/7 she won’t even know you’re gone.”

I chuckled. “That’s not helping. I suppose I could leave her with-” I made a face, “No, I can’t leave her with Dianna because they’ll have the babies and it’s going to be hard enough dealing with the two, I can’t add a rambunctious dog into the mix.”

“Hey,” he squeezed my shoulders and our eyes met again, “I leave Bern and the Ozz with some friends of mine, they’ll take Daisy too.”

“How much would I have to pay them?”

His lips curled into a smirky grin. “You’re sleeping with a Backstreet Boy; you wouldn’t have to pay them a dime.”

I laughed and pulled away from him. “Whatever, Mr. McLean.”

He laughed and pulled me back against his chest. “I’ll pay them, don’t worry about how much. I always give ‘em something for the food and toys and whatever else arises. They probably wouldn’t take money from you anyway.”

“When are you guys thinking about touring?”

“Oh, it wouldn’t be for awhile yet.” His hands smoothed around to my tummy and slipped under my shirt. “If I had to guess, I’d say the album will be out sometime in February and we’d start the tour by April. May at the latest.”

“And you want me to go with you?”

“I most certainly do.” He began to nibble my earlobe.

I didn’t know where I was going to be in my life come April, but I was planning on being with Alex still. The idea of getting to travel the world with him and listen to his amazing voice every night was exciting, but it would mean leaving my life at home on standstill until I got back. I didn’t know what would happen with my job, my house, all my bills and my friends, but I couldn’t let myself start worrying about it all quite yet. It was still a long way to April.

“Are you okay?”

I hadn’t even realized he’d stopped his assault on my ear and was now peering into my face with a concerned expression in his eyes. I pulled myself from my thoughts and smiled at him. “I’m alright, just processing all the information.”

“It can be a lot.”

“It’s already making my head hurt.” I reached up and touched my forehead for effect. “And I still haven’t asked you about the promotional tours and what they’re like.”

“We don’t have to discuss it all tonight.” He was back to massaging my shoulders. “There’s plenty of time from now until we would start those and I don’t want to throw too much your way.”

I smiled at his thoughtfulness. “I appreciate that, but I’ve had lots thrown my way and survived. I’ll manage.”

“Don’t say I didn’t warn you,” he teased gently, kissing the top of my head. “But alright, the promoting of our album. What would you like to know?”

“What do you do?”

“Lots and lots of interviews; radio, television, magazines, press conferences. You name it, we do it. Some can be done from the comforts of our own homes, but lots of times we have to travel around; New York, Florida, Tennessee, Texas…Canada. And when the album comes out in Japan and Europe, we head over there as well.”

I relaxed as his fingers worked their way down my back and my eyes closed. “How long do they usually last?”

“Depends on where we go and how high the demand is from the public. We aren’t gone for extended periods of time like a tour, but if we go overseas, it’ll be a week or two. But we’re usually in and out of LA.”

He began to massage my lower back and I gave a soft groan. “That feels so good.”

He smiled and kissed my shoulder, his fingers never stopping. “Good. Are you feeling better?”

“Yes, thank you.”

“Anything for you, baby.”

I smiled at the tenderness in his voice and reached a hand back, smoothing it over his cheek. “I wish I could go back to the studio with you tomorrow, but Zoe only gave me one day off.”

“Remember when you used to work part time?”

“I do.”

He peered around into my face. “You should go back to that.”

I forced my eyes open and met his. “I wish, but I’ve taken on too many clients and there’s no way for me to do that unless I dump some of them. And I can’t do that.”

He looked like that solution was the easiest thing. “Why not?”

“Because, they’re depending on me to sell their home or find them a home, or cut some deal with the homeowners on the price. I can’t leave them high and dry or push them off on someone else.” I drew a shoulder up. “It’s like, they’re my people and I can’t give them away.”

He chuckled and relented. “Alright, but I don’t want you working yourself to the point of exhaustion.”

“Yes, honey.” I reached back and patted his arm.

“Thank you.” He slipped his arms around my waist and kissed my neck again. “I’m glad you came with me today.”

I grinned and snuggled into his chest. “Me too.”

“You’re definitely going to have to come back.”

“Oh, I will. Next chance I get.”

“Mmm.” He kissed my neck again then lifted his head when the doorbell rang. “Go away.”

I laughed. “They can’t hear you. You have to actually get up and go to the door and open it to speak to them.”

“Smartass.” He shifted me to the side then stood from the couch and tugged his jeans up some.

I smirked and watched as he sauntered from the room, then stretched out on the couch with my socked feet on one end and my head the other. Bernie rose from his place beneath the coffee table and stuck his head in my face, nuzzling at my cheek before trying to lick it. I laughed and gently shoved his head away. “Behave, you silly dog.”

He listened and settled himself down on the carpet right next to the sofa. Ozzy was nowhere to be seen and I was sure he was trying to figure out who was at the door and what they’d want. Then he would try to jump all over them because he loved people and wanted to be in on all the action.

I chuckled low and stretched an arm up over my head when a shrill voice rang out from the foyer.

“Where the hell is she?!”

Pulling myself into a sitting position, I stared at the open archway of the living room. I could hear Alex’s voice, but it was too muffled to make out what he was saying. Frowning at the sharp tone of a reply his guest made, which was a woman by the high pitched sound, I rose to my feet and slowly made my way from the room and to the foyer to investigate.

Immediately, I wish I hadn’t.

Sarah Martin stood there with eyes raging. Steam would have been billowing from her ears had it been a cartoon. Instead, her fists were clutched at her sides and she looked like she wanted to swing at someone. “I cannot believe you are pulling this bullshit!

I winced some at her words and realized what she had come storming over about; the bills my boyfriend was no longer paying for her. Alex had been right she’d be pissed off, though that sounded like a much nicer term then her current state of mind.

“Sarah, it’s not bullshit.” My boyfriend was trying to keep his cool, but I could tell he was feeling frazzled. “I don’t see why I should have to pay your bills for you; they’re your bills, you pay them.”

“Alex, we had an agreement!” Hatred spewed from her eyes and I thought about diving behind one of the plants in the foyer, though I thought it a moment too late, for she spied me and suddenly I was the object of her wrath. “You!

She sounded like Satan and I would have laughed had I not felt like wetting myself from the evil on her face. “Um…hi,” I squeaked out, giving a wave in an attempt at pretending I didn’t know what was going on.

Alex looked at me like I should not have come into the room and he made an attempt at getting her attention again. “Sarah, I’m sorry you’re so upset-”

But she had no intentions of letting him distract her. “You bitch!” She shouted at me, interrupting him.

I blinked and jerked back some, expecting her to be hurling herself in my direction. But she stayed in her spot. “Excuse me?”

“You get your claws into my Alex and turn him on me! I should bust you up.”

Alex frowned. “Sarah, that’s enough!” He reached for her arm, but she pulled away.

“She’s filling your head with lies, Alex, lies! What kind of shit has she spewed at you?”

My eyes narrowed. “This has nothing to do with me,” okay, maybe a tiny white lie considering I was the reason Alex was getting his butt into gear on this matter, “and for the record, he’s not your Alex. You two broke up a long, long time ago.”

She pointed a finger at me. “If you knew what was good for you, you would shut your trap.”

I know she was like, three times my size, but I suddenly wanted to punch her in the mouth. Though if I tried, she’d easily get the upper hand and sit on me and that’d be the end of that. “I think you need to shut yours and get out of this house.” I was trying to keep myself calm, because she would just love to know how angry she was making me. Bullies and bitches got their rocks off knowing they could make others feel as miserable as they did. But I was not about to give her that kind of satisfaction.

“I know you did not just say that to me.”

I folded my arms across my chest. “I think I did.”

“Ooh, you are going to regret that.” And she started for me.

Alex quickly stepped in and grabbed her arm. “You aren’t going to do anything, Sarah. Stop acting like you’re twelve and in junior high, still.”

The brunette with chubby cheeks growled and tried to yank her arm from his grasp. “Let me go! Someone needs to teach that bitch a lesson.”

My wonderful boyfriend managed to remain calm. More calm than I was at the moment. “The only bitch I see in this room is you.”

She went still and turned to face him. “What the fuck, Alex? You’re going to treat me that way after everything we’ve been through?”

“Which was like, a lifetime ago,” he shot her way. “I don’t owe you anything and you don’t owe me anything. We went our separate ways years ago and I should have manned up and stopped paying for your shit long before now.”

“You owe me your life, you bastard!” She hissed at him.

“I don’t owe you shit!”

“This is because of her, isn’t it?” She jerked her head in my direction.

I could see the muscles in his jaw flexing. “No, this is because I finally saw what a prick and a pushover I was being and decided I wasn’t going to do it anymore.”

“You aren’t going to get away with this,” she was trembling now, “anything that happens to those puppies will be on your hands.”

“I love those pooches, Sarah, the Lord knows I do, but I’m not going to let you hold them over my head anymore. You need to take care of your own business like I take care of mine.”

“I’m gonna take care of my business right now.” And she tried to start for me again.

Luckily, Alex kept her at bay, his grip on her arm tightening some. “You are not going to threaten my girlfriend. I don’t even want to see you looking at her wrong, let along putting your hands on her.” He gave her arm a shake and forced their eyes to meet. “Do you understand me?”

She was quiet for a moment, her entire body rigid, then she turned her stony eyes on me. “You better be careful, honey, Alex can be quite a violent man.”

I rolled my eyes. “Your scare tactics don’t work on me.”

“I’m not trying to scare you; I’m trying to warn you.”

“Yeah, after you threaten to kick my ass you’re gonna suddenly try to help me out. Like I believe that.”

She rolled her eyes. “Believe what you want.” Giving her arm another tug, she frowned at Alex. “Let me go, I’m so out of here.”

“Well, we’re so glad.” He guided her to the door then yanked it open. He didn’t release her arm until she was out on the porch and out of my sight. Then he slipped back inside and shut the door securely, making sure the locks were in place and the alarm set.

I sighed and watched my boyfriend rest his head against the door before finally turning to me.

“I’m sorry,” we both spoke at the same time.

“You don’t have to be sorry.” He reached me and drew me into his arms. “I’m sorry I let her into the home and I’m sorry you had to witness it. I’m also sorry she said those things to you.”

I tucked my head against his chest. “I’m sorry you had to deal with that.”

“I knew she was going to explode like that.”

“Yeah, it was pretty ugly. You weren’t kidding when you warned me.”

He chuckled low and peered to my face. “You held your own pretty well though.”

“Did I? Good, because on the inside, my knees were knocking together. I kept thinking all she’d have to do is sit on me and I’d be done for.”

That made him laugh and he took my hand and led me back into the living room. Once on the couch, he wrapped his arms back around me and kissed my head. “She’s definitely not a force to reckon with. I don’t think she’d try anything with you, but you should be careful nonetheless. She might just lie in wait and lunge when you least expect it.”

“Great, that sounds like loads of fun. Maybe I’ll hire a bodyguard.”

He chuckled. “I love you.”

I lifted my head and kissed his lips softly. “I love you, but can I ask you a question?”

“Anything.” He smoothed his fingers through my hair, pushing it from my face.

“What the hell did you see in her? I mean, seriously?! She is evil and has to be like the daughter of Satan or something.”

He laughed again. “I don’t know; I ask myself that quite often. But when we were together, I was drunk or high nearly all the time, so I think it was the drugs and alcohol that were in control.”

“It had to have been, because she is nothing like me. And you saw something in us both, so it just makes me wonder what it was about her that you liked so much. Because, seriously, how can you like two very different people.”

“Well, I was young and stupid back then too. I’ve matured and wised up and realized that you,” he touched the tip of my nose with his finger, “are what I want and she is not.”

I smiled and smoothed my arms around his neck. “That’s good to know, because men who want her are not the men I want to be with.”

“The only man that you should want to be with is moi.” He arched a brow.

I giggled then covered his face in kisses. “Of course you’re the only man I want to be with.”

“You know,” Alex spoke as he dipped his head and began to kiss along the soft skin of my neck, “seeing you and Sarah nearly go at it was actually kind of hot.”

I shivered and tried to peek to him. “You think so?”

“I really do.” His teeth began to nip my skin.

“How enough to take me upstairs and do to me the thing you do best?”

He chuckled then suddenly had me in his arms and was standing. “You don’t have to ask me twice.”

I smiled and kissed his jaw as he started for the stairs. “Good, because after today, I could really use some you and me time.”

“You and me time coming right up. Maybe we can have you and me time all night long.”

I smirked and smoothed my fingers over the back of his neck. “If you think you have that much stamina.”

“Oh baby, you have no idea.”

And I didn’t. At least not until the next morning and my head was spinning and legs were quivering. Talk about being in love. Best damn feeling in the world.

Chapter Sixty-One by summer
Author's Notes:
Enjoy :)
It was nearly a month since our visit with Candace and Grayson before I heard from my sister-in-law. I had just gotten in from work and was sorting through the mail when she rang me on my cell phone.

“Hey, sis,” I greeted her, shoving the envelopes aside to finish looking over later.

“Hi, Morgan, I hope I’m not interrupting anything.”

“Not at all.” I took a glass from the cupboard and filled it with ice from the door of the fridge. “I haven’t been home from work long enough to get into anything for you to interrupt.”

She chuckled. “Good. So, how have you been?”

“Pretty good actually. Work’s going very well and keeping me busy, but I can’t complain.”

“And, how’s Alex?”

I couldn’t contain my grin. “He’s wonderful. Though at the moment we don’t really see each other ‘cept for at night; he’s been working with his group again and staying pretty busy and I’m gone during the day.”

“Oh, well I hope you’re still able to get to spend some time together.”

“We do.” I took out the pitcher of lemonade from the fridge. “We have the weekends and nights. It’s definitely different cuz I’m used to seeing him whenever I’m out of work, but we’re adjusting.”

I could tell she was smiling. “I’m happy for you.”

“Thank you.” I poured myself some lemonade. “And how are you?”

She sighed and I knew it wasn’t good news.

“Candace?” I tucked the lemonade pitcher back into the fridge and glanced to the phone. “What’s going on?”

She sighed again. “Grayson’s been offered a job in London.”

I paused. “London? As in England?”

“Yes, London, England. As in…Europe, the other side of the world.”

“I…” I was speechless. Taking up my glass, I sank down onto a stool. “Is this what…his attitude has been about?”

“I think so. He finally told me what was going on the other day. What am I going to do, Morgan? He really wants to take the job; he’d be president of the firm out there. It’s such a great opportunity, but it’s in England.”

“And you just got your promotion there in Arizona.”

“Exactly.” She sniffed and I pouted at the tears.

That was a tough situation. New York to Arizona was long distance enough but trying to maintain a relationship where both lived in different countries; that was something else entirely. “What has he said he wants you to do?”

“He won’t tell me. He said I have to make the decision myself.”

“Well, that’s not very fair. He should at least give you his opinion. You’re his wife; he should let you know if he wants you to move out there with him.”

She cleared her throat. “If he goes out there, I have to go with him. I can’t…let our relationship fall apart over a job.”

“It’s not just a job, Candace, these are your careers. Has he said he’s going to take the job? He should at least ask how you feel about it.

She sighed over the line. “No, he hasn’t said for sure, but he’s leaning pretty strongly toward accepting. How can I hold him back from an opportunity this wonderful for him?”

“You’ve gotten a pretty wonderful opportunity for yourself.”

“I know, but I can’t be as stubborn as he has been. I could at least look for another job out there. I have some connections and I’m sure I could find something similar to what I’m doing now.”

I peeked my eyes toward the phone. “You are a much bigger person than I could be.” I paused. “So, you guys are really gonna move all the way to London, England.”

She gave one of those teary laughs. “I guess we are.”

“How do you feel about it?”

“Scared.”

“I’ll come visit you as often as I can. And you guys will be a lot closer to Aunt Lindsay and her brood in Germany.”

“True,” she sighed and cleared her throat, “my mom is going to be so upset.”

“Aww, she’ll have to go visit you too.”

“She will, but she was so excited about us being closer to them in Arizona. Now we’ll be oceans apart.” Candace’s parents lived in New Mexico and I imagined now that their daughter was in the next state over; they saw each other fairly often.

“I imagine so.” I made a little face. “At least now you know what Grayson’s problem was. I was half afraid he was having an affair or something.”

Candace laughed dryly. “I was too; I just didn’t want to admit it to anyone.”

“But he’s not, right?”

“No, it’s just been this job offer. At first, he said he wasn’t sure if it was going to be offered to him, so he didn’t want to say anything and then he had to do an interview with the London branch and the last few weeks he’s been mulling it over.”

I frowned. “I still say he should have told you about this from the start. Please tell me you chastised him.”

“You bet I did. And he knows now to tell me everything from the start.”

“Good.”

She sighed some. “Well, I won’t keep you. I just wanted to let you know what was going on. I know you were concerned.”

“I’m glad you did. And I want you to keep me updated. If you truly do decide to go over to London, then we’ll have to have a big get together to send you both off.”

“I’m sure once your mother finds out about it, she’ll plan one.”

I laughed. “You know my mother.”

“I do.” There was a pause. “I’ll talk to you soon, hon. Take care of yourself and tell Alex I said hello.”

“Will do. You need to talk again; you know where to find me.”

“Thank you, Morgan.”

I smiled. “Anytime, sister.” Then after giving a goodbye, I finally set down the phone. Geeze, what a decision to have to make. Though it wasn’t really a decision of staying together or not, but one of which job to stay with. And Grayson had already made it clear he didn’t want to work in Arizona, so if Candace could be the bigger person and agree to quitting her job, then the two of them would be moving to England. I had a feeling that’s where they would end up. Candace was really a wonderful wife and I hope my brother realized how truly lucky he was.

And I was grateful I wasn’t in her shoes. Though her situation made me wonder what I would do if Alex were to come to me and tell me he wanted to move to another country, or even another state. I didn’t have any real ties to California except for Dianna and now the babies. I could get a job anywhere and honestly, I wasn’t really hurting for money. I’d miss my friends, but there’s always emails and airplanes.

But I didn’t think Alex had any intentions of wanting to go anywhere else. He had an album he was working on and the boy toured around so much he probably feels like he’s from all over anyway. Which was good on my part, because than I wouldn’t have to worry about saying goodbye again.

I chuckled then looked to my dog as she trotted into the room. “Well there you are. Where have you been hiding?”

She padded her way to me then nosed at my leg and shoved her head into my lap, forcing me to love on her some.

“I hear ya. You hate being alone here while I go to work, don’t you?”

Her response was a whine and then she licked at my hand.

I chuckled then rose from the stool and headed for the living room where the French doors stood. “You wanna go outside? I bet you have to potty something awful.”

Daisy answered me with a soft bark then raced out into the backyard to freedom.

“Don’t you dare leave the yard,” I called out after her and slid the doors shut all but a small enough space for her to slip back inside. Then I made my way back to the kitchen, laughing low at myself for talking to her like she was a child.

After spending the next few minutes going through my mail and sorting the bills from the junk mail, I tossed what could be tossed then put the credit card applications through the shredder. I tucked the bills into a drawer on my desk to be paid on Friday and told myself I really needed to go paperless and pay everything online. Everyone else seemed to be.

The sound of the doorbell pulled me from my thoughts and a frown creased my brow. I wasn’t expecting anyone and Alex was supposed to be in the studio until about nine. He might have gotten out early, but he had a key and wouldn’t ring the bell.

Curiously, I went to the front door and peeked out the peep hole and my blood ran cold. Sarah Martin stood on my doorstep. How did she even know where I lived? She didn’t look angry and the thought passed through my head to pretend not to be home. But my curiosity at her being there won out and I unlocked the door and slowly pulled it open. There was no way she was coming into my house though.

“Can I help you?”

She smiled at me, but I could see the hatred brewing in her eyes despite the grin on her face. “Hello.”

I arched a lone brow at her. “What are you doing here?”

“I thought we could talk.”

Not likely. “How did you find where I lived?”

“You’re in the phone book,” she said simply with a shrug of her shoulders.

I frowned. “What do you want?”

“To talk.”

“What could you possibly want to talk about that I would be interested in hearing?”

Her eyes darkened even more. “Is it necessary to be a bitch?”

“After the way you behaved, yes. Now please leave, because I don’t have anything to say to you.” I started to close the door but she slapped her hand against it and pushed it open some, putting her foot into the doorway.

“I wanted to come over here and talk nicely,” she spoke low with a slight menacing tone. “I wanted to tell you to be careful before you committed too much to your precious boyfriend. I wanted to warn you that he’s going to fuck you over and leave you heartbroken just like he has every. single. woman. he’s dated. But you don’t seem too interested in hearing that.”

I frowned, trying not to look swayed by her words. “I think you wanted to come over here and stir up trouble. You don’t have any intentions of warning me like a good hearted person. And you don’t have anything to warn me about. You got shit and all you want to do is cause trouble between us because you’re pissed off he isn’t paying your way through life anymore. Face it, it’s over and you have no chance, zero chance of having him back. And I don’t think you are able to accept that. You’ve had him wrapped around your finger for so long, but guess what? Alex finally got a backbone and he’s dating someone who actually cares about him and his life. So you need to leave now before I am forced to call the police and report you as a trespasser.”

Sarah’s eyes darkened and her body stiffened. “Listen, you little bitch, you have no idea what Alex and I have been through and you have no idea the kind of things he can do to fuck everything up for you. He did it to me. Has he told you why we never got married? I bet not, but you should ask him…it’s a good story, I’ll tell you that much.”

“What happened between you and Alex years ago is not my business or concern. I know about his past and his drinking and drug problems and I don’t care; that was then and this is now and he’s not that person anymore. Now if you’ll kindly remove your foot, I’d like to close my door.” I motioned toward her foot which was still in the doorway.

“Well, when he starts screwing a dancer from their tour behind your back, or proposes and makes a wedding date then freaks out and leaves you standing at the aisle, don’t say I didn’t try to warn you.” She pulled her foot back, her hand still pressed to the door. “Maybe you should ask him why he had all his failed relationships and what it was that ended them all.” With that she turned and stalked off the porch and back toward her car.

I watched her go with a deep frown in my brow. Who the hell did she think she was that she could come to my house and say those kind of things to me? She had no right and chances were she was talking out of her ass just trying to disrupt our happy life. Well, she could take all those words and shove them where the sun doesn’t shine because it wasn’t going to work.

And to prove that to her and probably myself, I brought Daisy back into the house, fed and watered her then grabbed my keys, locked up and was out the door on my way to the studio. I needed to see my boyfriend after that incident. I wasn’t trying to let it bother me, but Sarah had definitely rattled my cage so to speak. And I knew he was the only one that could make me feel better.

~*~*~*~*~

“Hey, hey, what’s going on, are you alright?” Alex greeted me once I was past security and into the studio. I had found him hunched over the sound board with one of the sound engineers while Brian worked on laying a track down in the booth.

I shook my head, afraid if I opened my mouth the tears would come. Why was I so upset? The entire drive over I was trying to convince myself that Sarah’s words had been just that; words. There wasn’t any truth behind them and she had only been trying to upset and anger me. She wanted our relationship to fail so she could have him back and so she’d try anything.

I had mostly convinced myself of that until I walked into the room and saw him. And then the tears were threatening my vision and I was flinging myself into his arms the minute he rose and came toward me.

“Hey, what is it?” He smoothed a hand over my head and peeked down to me.

I sniffed and held him tight, pressing my face into his chest. He was going to think I was over exaggerating and had no reason to be so upset. And I didn’t, which made me feel so foolish. I was letting Sarah get under my skin and doing exactly what she wanted me to do.

“Morgan?” Alex rubbed my back then I heard him tell the others he’d be back. He then gently guided us from the room and into the empty lounge.

Once seated on the couch, I pulled a tissue from my purse and wiped my eyes. “I’m sorry,” I croaked out around the lump in my throat.

“Sweetheart, what is it?” He took my free hand in his and dipped his head some to see my face. “What’s wrong?”

I shook my head and cleared my throat before speaking again, “It’s nothing really, I just got myself all worked up.”

Alex frowned some at that. “Well, it has to be something if it’s got you this upset.” He brushed some tears from my cheeks with his hand.

“It’s Sarah.”

“Sarah?”

“Yeah, your ex.”

Something flashed in his eyes. “What’d she do?”

I fiddled with the tissue in my hands. “She showed up at my house telling me how she was just trying to warn me about you and how you were going to screw me over and leave me heartbroken.”

Alex’s back stiffened at that and his frown deepened. “She did what?!”

I nodded and sniffed again. “Yeah, she said…she said that she was trying to warn me. She said you were going to mess everything up and that I should ask you why you guys didn’t get married and why all your relationships ended.”

Alex rose from the sofa at that. “That little bitch! I can’t believe she’d do something like this; no, no, I can. I should have known.” He clenched his fists and I shrunk into the back of the sofa at the anger in his voice.

“I don’t know why it got me so upset, I mean, I know what she’s trying to do. I handled myself really well, and even told her a thing or two.”

He sank back down next to me. “What’d you say?”

So I relayed the confrontation starting with her ringing the bell all the way up to her last words before she flounced off the porch and headed to her vehicle.

Alex listened intently, doing his best to hold his anger in until I was finished with my tale. Then he pressed a kiss to my head and slipped his arms around me. “I’m sorry, baby,” he soothed. “If I had any idea she would have tracked you down, I would have warned you or something.”

I settled into his embrace. “You couldn’t have known. But the idea of her showing up again kind of worries me.”

He sighed and rested his cheek against my head. “Well, you can bet I’ll be calling her about this. She’ll know never to show her face to you again.”

“Good.” I snuggled against him for a moment then pulled back. “But her words were just that, right? Words and nothing more?”

He was quiet and it was then that I knew there had to be some truth to them. Pulling back, I pushed some hair from my face and met his eyes. “Don’t tell me she was being for real.”

His shoulders sagged and he ran a hand over his face. “Not with everything. You were right to tell her that I’m not the same person I was then.” He reached a hand and smoothed it over my cheek. “I was never a great boyfriend until I met you and even now I know I’m not the best. I mean, look at all the shit I caused you.”

I didn’t respond to that and he continued. “But you’re the one person that I want to be the best I can be for. You make me want to do what I can to make this work between us. And I’ve never felt that way about anyone.”

Tears shone in my eyes and I used the tissue to wipe them away. “So, what part was she telling the truth about?”

Alex sighed at that. “When I proposed to Sarah, I was just out of rehab and I shouldn’t have done it, but it was like…okay, well I just overcame this huge drug and alcohol dependency so what’s next? And she had been there for me every step of the way, so I just thought it was what I was supposed to do.”

“But you didn’t really want to?”

“I don’t think I was ready to. I was scared at having to live a clean life and not have the drugs or alcohol to fall back on and so I substituted Sarah for them. So she became my life line and I clung to her instead of getting out there and becoming independent and capable on my own.” He took my hand in his and squeezed it. “And as the wedding drew nearer, instead of talking to her about it, I began to freak out and I self sabotaged me and our relationship.”

I wet my bottom lip and asked the question I wasn’t sure I wanted to know the answer to, “What did you do?”

He looked to our hands at that. “I slept with someone else a couple weeks before the wedding. I was scared and knew I couldn’t marry her, but I didn’t know how to get out of it.” His eyes met mine again. “I wasn’t man enough then to really face my problems and fears, but I don’t want you thinking that’s how I am now, because I’m not. I’m really not.”

I nodded my head and touched his cheek. “I know you’re not. I won’t lie, it does freak me out a little bit, but I know you’re not the same person you were back then and I know I’m not Sarah. I’m sure she didn’t make it easy to try to talk to her and if she’s anything like she is now, she probably took over and controlled everything about your relationship and life.”

He chuckled low. “She really did. It wasn’t a healthy relationship whatsoever and I guess when it comes to her, I feel like she still has a little control over me. She’s so deeply rooted in my sordid past and there while I got better and I was vulnerable and latched out to whatever was familiar to me. After what I’ve been through, it’s hard to let go of something like that.”

“I get that. I really do. But you know that you don’t need her anymore, right?” I took his hand in both of mine and held it in my lap. “You have me and I’m never going to do you the way she did. What we have is real and very healthy and there’s no pressure to make it anything more or to take the next step because you think it’s what you’re supposed to do. When we do take the next step I want it to be because it’s where our relationship is headed and we’re both ready.”

He smiled then moved a hand to the back of my head and drew it to his. The kiss was tender and loving and spilled his soul. I fell into it and into him and knew that whatever drama Sarah would try to bring our way wasn’t going to tear the two of us apart. We were stronger as a couple and nothing could change that.

When we finally separated, my lashes were damp. I wanted to grab him close and take him home to have all to myself for the rest of the night, but I knew he was needed back in the recording room. “You have to go, huh,” I whispered softly.

“I do.” He smoothed his fingers through my hair. “Do you want to stay and watch?”

I knew I didn’t want to go home alone right now. “Can I?”

“Of course.” He pressed a kiss to my forehead then drew back and took my hand. “Come sit, watch and be amazed at the talent.”

I giggled low and allowed him to tug me up from the sofa. “Okay, let me just visit the little girl’s room first and freshen up, then I’ll be right in. I’m sure I’m a sight for sore eyes.”

“You’re beautiful.” He kissed my cheek then squeezed my hand and let it go. “I’ll be in the room when you’re ready.”

I smiled at that and watched him, my heart swelling with the love it held for him. Then with a smile on my lips, I gathered my purse and headed off to find the restroom.
End Notes:
Thanks so much for the support and feedback. Please keep them coming, I love to hear your thoughts on everything. :)
Chapter Sixty-Two by summer
Author's Notes:
I have to thank those of you that nominated this fic for all the nominations it received in the Felix Awards! I was so floored and very honored. So a big thank you! And on that note...enjoy this chapter. :)
Two weeks went by and no word from Sarah. I was pretty sure Alex had made a phone call and threatened her within two inches from her life if she bothered me again. I didn’t really care because I didn’t like her one bit and it was nice not to have to worry about her threats. Whatever my boyfriend had done was working and I wasn’t going to question it.

Instead, I was on my way to the airport with said boyfriend to pick up my parents and Mimi. They had flown out to visit like promised and Alex had even gotten the whole week off from recording save for tomorrow, but he said if he went in extra early he should be finished by noon or one at the latest. We had plans to travel up to Sonoma and take a yacht out on the ocean, go to Catalina Island, whale watching and whatever else we felt like doing during their time with us.

I was thrilled that both parts of my lives were finally going to merge and become one. Dianna was insisting on having a barbecue at her place the following night and I tried to persuade her otherwise, but she wouldn’t hear it. She wanted to meet my family as much as I wanted them to be out here.

“You excited?” Alex questioned me as we made our way into the LAX airport baggage claim area.

I giggled low and gave his hand a squeeze. “More than you realize. I can’t believe they’re finally going to be out here.” My eyes grew misty and I wiped under them with my free hand. “It’s like both parts of my life are finally converging and it’s finally whole again.”

My boyfriend smiled at that and kissed my head. “No more sadness or tears now; this is a happy time.”

“I know and I’m happier than ever.”

He grinned at that then led the way to the escalators that were bringing the passengers down to claim their luggage. We didn’t have long to wait before I recognized my mother, father and grandmother. Tears filled my eyes and I covered my mouth as they rode the moving stairs further down to greet us.

“Morgan!” My mom exclaimed, her own eyes shimmering with tears. We met halfway and she wrapped me in her arms, hugging me tight.

I laughed and hugged her back. “It’s so good to see you, Mom.”

“Oh, baby, it’s wonderful to be here and see you.” She pulled back and cupped my face, kissing my forehead then looked me over. “You look beautiful.”

I smiled and kissed her cheek. “You do too, Mom.”

She smiled, squeezed my hands then moved out of the way and my father engulfed me in a hug. He too commented on how wonderful I looked and then my Mimi brushed him aside and it was her turn.

I couldn’t wipe the smile from my face as I hugged the petite woman before me. Her tears mirrored mine and she finally had to pull a tissue from her handbag and wipe her eyes.

“Goodness me.”

I chuckled and kissed her cheek. “It’s good to see you, Mimi.”

“Oh yes it is, Morgan. I’m so glad we could come.”

“Me too.” I gave her one more hug then moved back so she could greet Alex. Both my parents had already given their hello’s with handshakes and hugs and now my Mimi moved to him and pulled him into her arms.

I had to wipe the tears from my cheeks as I watched them. Alex was talking low to her and my Mimi’s laugh filled the air around her. Her eyes shone and I knew my wonderful boyfriend had to be charming her.

“Careful,” I cautioned as I approached and slipped my arm around my grandmother’s slim shoulders. “He’s taken.”

“Oh, child,” she chuckled, “If I were a few years younger.”

Alex laughed then slipped his hand into mine. “Well, shall we gather the bags then get on the road?” I turned to my parents. “I thought we could head back to my place and Alex and I can make up some lunch.”

“That sounds good to me. The airplane food is never enough.” My father patted his stomach then slipped an arm around my mother. Together, the five of us made our way to the carousel that their luggage would be coming in on.

“AJ, yo man, what’s up?”

The voice came from our right and I turned to see a man there balancing a camera on his shoulder. He was recording us and I held my boyfriend’s hand a little tighter as I realized he was a paparazzi of some kind.

“Hey.” Alex nodded politely at the guy.

“What’s goin’ on, man? You comin’ in from somewhere?”

“Nah, man, just picking up my girlfriend’s parents,” He kept his eyes trained on the carousel, but his voice was friendly.

Next to me, my mother leaned close and whispered, “Who is that?”

I shifted my gaze her way and replied back in a voice as soft as hers had been, “The paparazzi.”

“Oh.” She straightened up and shifted uncomfortably as the cameraman continued to question Alex. This time about the album and how the rest of the guys were doing and if Kevin was ever going to join them again.

My boyfriend responded to the questions politely and once the man seemed satisfied he’d gotten enough information, he moved off to find another celebrity.

“Gosh, that was something else,” Mimi declared as my father and Alex began grabbing up their bags and placing them on the luggage rack my dad had procured. “Does that happen often?”

I shrugged some. “I’ve only seen it a couple times.”

“It depends on where you go,” Alex replied as he situated a bag on the cart. “The airport and certain locations around town the paps are guaranteed to be there.”

“Yes, but we don’t go out that often; we try to keep a low profile.”

“My word, that gives you a rush.”

I laughed at my grandmother and slipped my arm around her shoulders. “Wait till you see Alex’s home; you’re going to die, it’s beautiful.”

“I can’t wait!” She clapped her hands in excitement and I couldn’t help but giggle; she was like a schoolgirl going on her first field trip.

“Alright, that should be everything,” my boyfriend mused as he checked the cart over. Then he looked to the rest of us. “We ready?”

“Let’s hit the road.” My dad clapped him on the shoulder then fell in step with him as they headed for the double glass doors that would lead us to the parking garage. The rest of us trailed along behind and soon we had the SUV loaded and were making the trek across town toward my home where they would be staying.

“So what are we doing first?” My mother questioned from her place in the middle seat next to my grandmother. My father sat in the very back. I had tried to offer the front seat to Mimi, but she ignored me and climbed on into the back.

I turned in the seat to face them. “Well, we thought you might want to rest up a bit and adjust to the time change. Then tomorrow we were going to show you around LA. Alex knows a few places he thought you might like. We wanna do dinner out somewhere like Koi one night soon; which is a really excellent Japanese place you’re going to love.”

“What about tonight?”

I shared a look with my boyfriend before turning my gaze back onto my mother. “Tonight we thought we’d just lay low and let you guys rest up from the trip and time change. Dianna is going to have a barbecue at her place tomorrow. So you’ll get to meet her.”

“Oh, I can’t wait!” My mother’s eyes shone brightly and it made me smile.

“She’s pretty excited to meet you guys. I didn’t want her going out of her way for the party, with her pregnancy and all, but she insisted.”

My mother couldn’t stop smiling herself. “I can’t wait to meet her and thank her for taking care of my baby when I couldn’t.”

“Mom.”

“Don’t ‘Mom’ me; she’s been like your den mother and I want to thank her.”

Alex chuckled and squeezed my leg. “Dianna’s been taking very good care of Morgan. She makes her eat her vegetables and everything.”

That made my dad laugh. “She never did like her vegetables when she was home. We’d find ‘em crumpled in napkins or under the placemat.”

My boyfriend laughed with him. “I think I found some green beans under one of mine once.”

“Hey now,” I lightly pinched his arm and chuckled, “I eat them now.”

“Sure, sure,” Alex teased, winking then looking back to the road ahead.

“Lately though,” I turned the subject back to Dianna and away from my food aversions, “I’ve been the one taking care of her. She’s really starting to show and her morning sickness has been so difficult. This past week I’ve been taking meals over for Manuel because she just isn’t up to cooking.”

My mother frowned in a concerned way. “That’s too bad, but I’m glad you’re helping her out.”

“Of course, how can I not? She’s done so much for me and I love her to death.”

“How’s the job coming along?” My father questioned after a short silence drifted through the vehicle.

I shifted in my seat to face him. “It’s going well; I got a huge bonus check from Zoe two weeks ago. She says I’m still the top agent.” I shifted my eyes toward my boyfriend then back to my dad. “She thinks within a year or two I’ll be able to open up my own office and hire a staff.”

“Oh honey, that’s wonderful!” My mother’s face shone with a sense of pride.

I smiled and nodded my head, not wanting to bring the fact up that I wasn’t sure where I would be in a year or two. With Alex’s tour and how long it would be and the fact that he wanted me to basically travel with him, I didn’t know if I’d be available to achieve that goal. The thought was a dream come true; but the reality of it was that…just a dream.

Of course I hadn’t talked that over with Alex yet and I could see the surprise on his face. He reached over and took my hand. “Why didn’t you tell me she said that?”

I shrugged in a casual manner. “It must have slipped my mind. There’s so much we talk about and such little time to fit it all in with our schedules.”

“Oh, well that’s definitely something to be proud of.” He kissed the palm of my hand. “And if you wanted to keep it just yourself, you could even work out of your home.”

“But I want an office building with a staff. I want to do what Zoe does.”

His eyes met mine and I felt my heart melt at the love held in them. “Then do that, baby. You’re so great at it; I know you’ll be wonderful at managing everything Zoe does and then some.”

“Thank you.” I giggled low.

“How are things going for you, Alex?” My mother questioned after the moment between he and I had passed.

Alex glanced his eyes into the rearview mirror before directing them back to the road. “Busy, crazy, hectic, but wonderful. We’re back in the studio about every day working on our new material.”

“Oh, making another record?”

“Yes, ma’am. We’re looking at it dropping the beginning of February. Then we’ll hit the road around then to promote it and the tour would start up probably April.”

My grandmother looked confused. “What’s dropping it? Where’s it going?”

That made me giggle and my boyfriend laughed low. “No, Mimi,” I shook my head, “dropping is just another term for it being released to the public.”

“Oh,” she laughed and waved a hand, “you youngins and your slang. I never know what the kids mean anymore.”

My dad chuckled. “How long do your tours go?”

“It really depends on where we go; if they’re overseas then it’s longer, but if we stay here or Canada it’s usually a few months. But it also depends on how long we drag it out for and how many breaks between dates we do.”

We were now turning into my neighborhood and I pointed out to my mother the direction of the Pacific Ocean while my dad and Alex continued to discuss what all a tour entailed.

“So, Morgan, what are you going to do when Alex is gone for months at a time?”

My dad’s question pulled me away from the conversation my mother, grandmother and I had fallen into and I glanced to him then to my boyfriend. “Um, well, we hadn’t really figured it all out yet.”

“I want her to come with me,” Alex announced as he slowed to make the turn onto the road I lived on.

“On tour with you? Is that possible?” My mother’s eyes widened with surprise and curiosity.

He gave a nod as he straightened the wheel out. “Of course. And it’s an experience you never forget; getting to sightsee at all the cities and experience everything the different countries have to offer. Not to mention, being able to attend our show every night we have one,” the last part was directed at me and he winked.

I rubbed my hands on my pantlegs before speaking up, “I told him I wasn’t sure yet. I don’t know if I can just take off like that; especially with work and Daisy.”

“Daisy! I bet she has grown up!” My grandmother seemed clueless to the conversation. “I hope she remembers me.”

I chuckled, thankful for the moment that eased some of the tension gathering between my shoulders. “I’m sure she will, though be careful because she’ll probably try to knock you over with all her lovin’.”

“I’m gonna have to bring Bernie over while you folks are here so you can see how the two interact. It’s really something else.” Alex shook his head at the thought and slowed for the turn into my driveway.

I was thankful the tour discussion seemed to be over. Smiling, I glanced to my home then to the back of the SUV to my family. “And this is where I live.”

“Oh Morgan, it’s beautiful,” my mother breathed out in a stunned tone. Her brilliant eyes so much like mine took it in and she smiled brightly at me. “It really is; just absolutely beautiful.”

I blushed and gave a little shrug. “It’s nothing compared to Alex’s, which we’ll have to take you to go see, but I like it and it’s home.”

“I can’t wait to get the tour.” She waited until my boyfriend had the vehicle in park then unbuckled. “How many bedrooms did you tell me it had again?”

“Four of them. And three baths,” I added as an afterthought. “Though the bedroom on the first floor I’ve converted into an office. But no worries, I have the two guest rooms upstairs all set up for all of you.”

“Oh, we’re not worried, honey.” She smiled at me then thanked my father when he slipped from the vehicle and helped her out then my grandmother.

Alex rounded the SUV and opened my door then extended his hand to me. “Morgan can give you the full tour while I make some lunch.”

“That sounds wonderful.” My mom slipped her arm around me as I exited the SUV and hugged me to her side. “I’m so proud of you,” she spoke softly before pressing a kiss to my temple.

I returned the squeeze. “Thank you, I’m pretty proud of myself too.”

Alex grinned at the two of us. “How ‘bout you take your mom and grandmother on inside and your dad and I will bring in the luggage?”

“Sounds good. Thank you, honey.” I rose on my tiptoe and kissed his cheek then extracted the house keys from my purse. “Alright, ladies, this way.” Then I led the way up the path and to the house.

~*~*~*~*~

That evening after the sun had set for the day and a soft breeze blew fresh ocean air through the open patio doors, my mother and I were settled on the sofa in the living room. My grandmother had retired for the night, citing extra exhaustion from the time change and long trip and my father had gone upstairs to take a shower. Alex had headed home a bit ago, which was a little early for my taste, but he had to be back at the studio before six the next morning and needed some decent sleep. I would have preferred he stay the night, but I didn’t know how my parents would feel about that, so we thought separate houses for sleeping would be best.

After a delicious lunch of tuna salad with pita bread, we’d taken Daisy on down to the beach and walked along the shore. My mother had collected a few shells for souvenirs and my grandmother and I had walked arm in arm while my father and Alex strode ahead lost in a conversation of some sorts. Then we’d retired to my patio to sit and catch up and just enjoy the beautiful weather and finally being together again.

“I am just so glad to finally be out here,” my mother spoke from the corner of the sofa she was curled up in. In her hands she held a cup of hot tea and a throw blanket was draped lightly over her legs.

I smiled and sipped my own tea then lowered the mug. “I’m really glad you guys are finally out here too.”

She matched my smile with one of her own. “We’re so excited to be doing all the fun things you have planned for us, but even if we just stayed here every day I’d be just as happy.”

That touched something inside me and I reached out and touched her arm. “I know the feeling, but we want to show you all that California has to offer.”

“And I’m not complaining one bit,” she winked at me over her mug before taking a sip from it.

I giggled low and snuggled back into the sofa, extending my legs and resting my feet on the coffee table. “I hope we don’t run Mimi ragged.”

“I don’t think we will; that woman has more life in her than I have in my pinky. She seems to be doing more and more since your grandfather passed, which I think is good for her. Beats sitting around an empty house filled with memories.”

“True,” I slowly nodded my head in agreement, “but she’s really doing okay?” My eyes studied my mother’s face as she gave a nod of her own in response. “How are you doing?”

She gave a sigh and her shoulders dropped some. “I have my moments. Some days I just break out into tears in the strangest places. Couple weeks ago I was buying meat at the deli and I just broke down. The poor guy behind the glass probably thought I was a crazy woman.”

I chuckled then reached and squeezed her arm. “I’m sure he didn’t think that.”

She wiped at a few tears her thoughts had conjured up. “I hope not. But for the most part I’m doing alright.”

“Good.” I offered up a sympathetic smile.

She nodded and took another drink then lowered the mug to her lap. “But you, how are you doing?”

“I’m okay. I keep busy, so that keeps my mind off things and I know he’s in a better place now.”

“Yes, that he is.” Her lips pressed together for a moment before she spoke again, “and things with Alex are going well?”

I had finally relented shortly after Candace’s admission to Grayson’s job offer in England to tell my mother what had transpired between Alex and me. With her going to be out here with us, I didn’t want anything unexpected to occur and the idea of Sarah popping up and being trifling was on the front of my mind.

She’d taken it all in stride of course and hadn’t said one bad thing about him. I know I would always have her support and would continue to do so even if I didn’t make the same decisions she might if she were in my shoes. But that’s part of being a mother and I think we both had that same understanding about our relationship.

“Things with Alex are going really well at the moment.” I drew my bottom lip into my mouth and held it between my teeth for a moment, thinking everything over. “I feel like it’s going too well and something horrible is going to jump out at us.”

“What makes you think that?”

A shrug. “Because that’s our luck. Every time we’re in a good place something has to come and try to ruin it.”

Her eyes looked at me with understanding. “But you don’t let it. You two seem much stronger today because of everything you’ve been through and dealt with.”

“I think we are. And I know neither one of us is going to give up on the other or let go without a fight. So I know we’re not gonna like…break up or anything. But the idea of having to deal with more drama or hurt or surprises just exhausts me and makes me want to climb under a rock with him and hide forever.”

My mother chuckled low at that. “Oh honey, then you’d miss out on everything that was wonderful in life and the things that being with someone makes your life even that much better. Besides, all the drama and hurt and hard times you have to go through only makes the joy and satisfaction of your lasting relationship that much better.”

I tilted my head. She had a point there. “True.”

“And I think it makes you both realize how precious love is and you don’t take it for granted.”

My eyes lifted to her. “When’d you get so smart?”

“When you grew into an adult according to you, but I’ve always been this smart.”

That made me laugh.

“So, can I ask how serious you two are about each other and your future?”

I eyed her with a knowing look. “Are you wanting to know if there will be wedding bells in the future?”

“Well that,” she shrugged sheepishly, “and the pitter patter of little feet. You know I want some grandchildren.”

“And you’ll get them.” I laughed and nudged her gently. “But all in good time. Just think how precious and sweet it will be when they finally do arrive.”

“If I’m still young enough to enjoy them.”

I knew from the look in her eyes she was teasing me. “You will be. We don’t want to rush into anything and we’ve both been dealing with things in our past, as you know. But the time will come, Mom. He’s definitely the man I’m going to marry; we’re just not sure when yet.”

“Oh Morgan, you know I don’t want to rush you into anything.”

“And you’re not; believe me, no one is going to rush into anything. Every decision we make is going to be with the right amount of thought. We both want this to last for the rest of our lives so we’re going to do all we can to make sure that happens.”

She nodded in understanding. “What about this tour he was talking about earlier?”

I sighed and slouched into the back of the sofa. “I have no idea. He really wants me to go with him, but Mom, I can’t just take off for a year and go follow him on tour. I can see myself flying out to visit a few times, but quit my job so I can be with him while he’s off doing his,” I shook my head sadly, “I don’t know if I can do that. Besides, I really love what I do and I want to work toward my own office. Taking a year off will only delay it for who knows how long.”

“So it’s definitely going to be a year tour?”

I shrugged. “Worst case scenario.”

She nodded some then pressed her lips together again and studied me. “What happens after you’re married and he has to go tour? Do you go with him then? And what about when you have children?”

I hadn’t even thought about those scenarios yet. “I…” I wet my bottom lip, “I have no idea,” my voice sounded vacant. “How could I raise children on my own? Am I supposed to drag them around with us while we go from hotel room to hotel room and country to country?”

“Honey,” she shifted on the sofa until she was closer to me, “love is never easy, we both know that.”

I nodded, but remained silent, and she continued, “You know that we love Alex and I know that you do. I know you want a future with him and I know one day you want to be a family and have children. And while I don’t want to tell you what to do or support you giving up everything you’ve been working hard for, sometimes relationships require giving a little even when you may not want to.”

“You think I should quit my job and follow him on tour?” My brows lifted.

“No,” she shook her head and squeezed my shoulder in an attempt to diffuse the anger that was slowly beginning to form, “I am only trying to say that you don’t write it off yet. If you go into this with your mind set on all those things; not quitting your job and that you’re gonna have your own agency within 12 months then you’ll only be driving a wedge between the two of you. You need to leave some room for leeway and really listen to him, take what he says to heart and truly think it over.” She took my hand in hers and squeezed it firmly, forcing our eyes to meet. “Don’t make a decision on your future before you talk over all the possibilities with him.”

“Of course I’m going to talk it over with him.”

“I know, but if you’ve already made up your mind that you’re not going and nothing’s he going to say will change your mind, then what’s the point of even hearing him out? His words are going to fall on deaf ears and he’ll start to resent you. Then you’ll be sending your man out there to the other side of the world where he’ll be surrounded my thousands of women who adore and love him and would give their right arm to be in your shoes, and it might not be that difficult for them to get there,” her tone held a warning.

My stomach pitched at that thought. “You…you think that would happen?”

“I’m just saying that this is a decision not to be made lightly or with that stubborn streak that you have.”

I frowned and rubbed my forehead. Great, now I would have that running through my mind every time I told myself that going with him wasn’t going to do me any good.

“They always say that love is 80% giving and 20% receiving. Maybe you two could come up with a compromise of some sorts; three months on and two months off, or you go visit him every other week. That way you both get a little of what you want, no one loses completely and your relationship doesn’t suffer because of it.”

I simply nodded, not wanting to have this conversation anymore. “I’ll really think about all that, Mom, and I appreciate your concern and advice, but can we talk about something else? The idea you just put into my head is really unsettling and I need to get it out of my mind before I call him up and start yelling at him for something he hasn’t even done yet.”

She chuckled and kissed my forehead. “Anything for you, baby.”

“Thank you.” I smiled at that and then we fell into a mindless conversation about Grayson and Candace and when we would get to go visit them and I finally began to relax once more. Hopefully I would never have to think about that again.
End Notes:
As always, feedback is so appreciated. Please let me know what you thought about this chapter. Thank you :)

And don't forget to check out my Facebook. I'm gonna be doing some exciting stuff with previews/sneak peeks of chps or fics and I may even answer some questions or give away secrets hehe. http://www.facebook.com/heavenly.tales
Chapter Sixty-Three by summer
Author's Notes:

Got some motivation this morning to work on a new chp. Sure hope you enjoy it and Merry Christmas!

The week with my parents went by faster than I would have liked. We spend the first couple days in LA, taking in the popular tourist sights, spending a day on Catalina Island and going out to eat at some of the nicest restaurants in the area. Dianna’s barbecue went off without a hitch and if I didn’t know any better I’d think my mom and Dianna got along better than she and I did. Which was a good thing to know they immediately hit it off and by the end of the afternoon even exchanged emails.

Then we finally packed up Alex’s SUV and were off on our way north to Sonoma Valley and the fun that awaited us there. First it was San Francisco, where we visited Fisherman’s Wharf and watched the sea lions sunbathing, then we took a boat out and experienced the whole whale watching event, including one right beneath the boat. I thought my mom was going to have a heart attack as it surfaced within feet of us and finding out my dad had caught the entire thing on video made it even that much more fun.

The bed and breakfast in the heart of Sonoma Valley was next. We let my parents spend the day touring a grape vineyard and seeing the process that went into making wine while Alex and I drove along the coast and spent the afternoon having a picnic on a little piece of secluded beach we’d come across. He had sworn that he was okay to do the tour and vineyard, but out of respect to him and the fact that I didn’t want to be the cause of any drinking issues, I opted for our own afternoon off. Which I thoroughly enjoyed and I think he did as well.

Finally, our last day before heading back to LA and one day closer to my family leaving me, we rented a yacht and took it out over the crystal blue waters of the Pacific. That was probably one of the most relaxing things I had done in a long, long time; just spending the afternoon lounging on the dock while we drifted along felt so peaceful and serene and all the worries that had been plaguing my mind easily dissipated. I think it recharged everyone’s batteries because the mood felt lighter and more carefree once we were back on dry land and home in LA.

“So, when do you two plan to get back out to Connecticut and visit us?” My father questioned on their last night of the trip. We had made it home the previous day and had spent today just resting for fear of exhausting my grandmother.

“I’m not sure yet, but hopefully it won’t be forever away.” I sank down next to him on the couch and tucked my legs beneath me. “But I guess it really depends on Alex’s schedule and when he can get away.”

“Well, how ‘bout over Christmas?” He cast his eyes over to where my boyfriend was engrossed in a game of Scrabble with my mom and Mimi.

Alex looked up. “What’s going on?”

I giggled low. “My dad wants us to come to Connecticut over Christmas.”

“Oh, that would be so wonderful!” Mimi enthused. “We could get a big tree and go caroling and drive around to look at all the beautiful Christmas lights.”

I mulled it over. “It would be nice to have a wintery wonderland kind of Christmas again. I haven’t had one since I moved out here.”

Alex smirked. “Then we could drive into New York City for the Times Square festivities over New Years.”

“You really wanna go out in that crowd?” I lifted my brows at him.

“Oh, yes, darling and you’ll be coming with me.”

His smirk made me giggle. “Mmkay. And you know what I was thinking?”

He arched both his brows at that. “With you, there’s no telling.”

“I’m going to pretend you didn’t say that,” I spoke over my father’s rich laugh. Alex just shrugged boyishly and I continued, “Well, I was thinking that for Thanksgiving, maybe we travel to Florida and spend it with your mom.”

His brows lifted at that thought. “Ooh, that’s a very good possibility.”

“And here you are teasing me while I’m thinking about going to visit your mother.” I shook my head and tsked.

“You ought to be ashamed of yourself,” my own mother chided him.

Alex dropped his head all ashamed. “I am. I’m so sorry. Please forgive me, baby.” Then he brought those soul stirring eyes up from the table and locked them on mine and I felt shivers go down my spine.

“It’s okay this time, just don’t let it happen again.”

He smirked, knowing exactly what his gaze did to me when he looked at me that way. “I’ll try not to.”

And that’s all it took for my cheeks to flush and I excused myself to the kitchen to refill my glass of water.

My grandmother found me in there a moment later. “That boyfriend of yours is really something else.”

Her words startled me since I hadn’t seen, or heard, her come in and I jumped about a foot from the floor. “Mimi!”

“I’m sorry, dear,” she chuckled then slipped an arm around my waist, giving me a squeeze, “I didn’t mean to scare you.”

I placed a hand over my racing heart. “I’m okay. I didn’t hear you come in.”

“I used to do that to your grandfather all the time and he’d get so annoyed.” She laughed but I saw something sad pass over her eyes.

I pouted and wrapped her lithe body in a hug. “I’m sorry, Mimi.”

“Every day that goes by I think that I’m one step closer to healing, but then something will just come right up and smack me in the face and knock me back a few steps.” More sadness filled her eyes.

“Oh, Mimi, don’t be sad, don’t cry.” I hugged her tighter, knowing exactly how she felt and then peered to her face. “You’re out here on vacation and having a wonderful time.”

Her hands pressed to my cheeks and she kissed my forehead. “I really am, Morgan. I think this has been one of the best vacations I’ve had yet.”

“Well, I hope you don’t set the bar too high or else you’ll be disappointed every time you come back.”

“I could never be disappointed when it comes to you, my darling.” She stroked my cheek in an affectionate and grandmotherly way. “I knew that eventually you would find your way in life again and I told that to your mother over and over.”

That made me smile. “I’m glad you never lost your faith in me.”

“I never could, darling. And this Alex boy,” she paused as she searched for the right words to say. “He really is right for you. The way you two look at each other and how he treats you and the love I see between you two reminds me so much of your grandfather and I.”

I couldn’t help the blush that flowed to my cheeks. “Really?”

“Oh yes, really. And it’s a love like you two have, and your grandfather and I had, that can withstand just about anything.”

I let myself lean against the counter. “You think so? Even this crazy tour he has coming up and the fact that we may be separated for weeks at a time?”

My grandmother’s mouth settled into a firm line and she watched me with the most serious of expressions, making my insides flutter at what her next words just might be. “Time nor distance can keep apart what’s truly meant to be,” she finally spoke after a slight pause.

I smiled and took her hand in mine. “I hope not, Mimi, because I don’t know what I’d do if I lost him.”

“You’re not going to lose him.” She squeezed my hand back affectionately. “God wouldn’t be that cruel to you, not after what you’ve gone through.” She winked at me. “You’re going to end up married one day and have beautiful babies that I will just dote over and spoil rottenly then send back home to you to handle.”

I laughed at that. “I’m sure you will; you and my mom both.”

“Isn’t that what grandparents are for?”

I thought back over the many times Mimi had done that to me and Grayson and nodded. “I think you’re right.”

She smiled then winked. “You just have to promise to bring them out to Connecticut to come visit me. I don’t know how long I’ll be able to jet back and forth like this, eventually my age is going to catch up to me.”

I slipped my arm around her shoulders and took up my water glass then steered her back toward the living room. “I think you have a long, long time before that happens. But I promise that we’ll come visit as often as we can.”

“Oh good!” She clapped her hands together. “But promise me one more thing?”

I paused at the serious tone of her voice and looked to her face. “What’s that?”

My grandmother pressed her lips together for a moment then spoke, “Promise me you won’t let them get tattoos till they’re at least 16. I don’t know how I feel about my great grandchildren running around with tattoos up and down their arms.” Then she smirked and her eyes danced with amusement and I knew she was just teasing me.

I laughed and gave her a squeeze. “Do temporary tattoos count?”

“Hm, I guess those would be okay.”

I giggled. “Good, because those would be so much better than permanent marker and if they’re anything like their father, they’ll want to be decorated, too.”

“That’s going to be my next Scrabble word; tattoo.” Then she laughed, delighted with herself, and we headed back into the living room.

~*~*~*~*~

Hours later, Alex and I were lounging on the back patio while my parents and grandmother slept inside the house. I hadn’t wanted him to leave, so we’d sat outside in two separate chairs holding hands and listening to the sounds of the ocean lapping the shore down at the beach. Daisy was settled between our chairs with her head resting on her paws and every so often would rise up to nudge our hands or legs and elicit a scratch behind her ears.

“So, this has been a really nice time, huh?” I spoke up, breaking the comfortable silence that had befallen us.

Alex blew a plume of smoke into the air and flicked his cigarette into the ashtray on the small table next to him. “It really has.” He squeezed my hand for emphasis. “I really like your parents and grandmother, Morgan. They make me feel like I belong.”

That made my heart swell. “That’s because you do belong.”

He sent me a cheesy grin. “And I even handled your dad’s serious talk earlier.”

“What?” I sat up in my chair and looked at him.

“You didn’t know about that?” Amusement riddled his voice and he reached to stroke Daisy’s flank as she bumped him, reminding him that she was still there and shouldn’t be forgotten.

“I…no,” I shook my head, “that’s news to me; what happened?”

Alex chuckled. “He just pulled me aside and had that talk that all fathers have with their daughter’s boyfriends.

“Oh no, Alex,” I cringed some, “I’m so sorry. I had no idea he was going to do that.”

“No, baby, don’t feel bad. I understand and it wasn’t a negative conversation at all.”

I wasn’t sure I wanted to know what was discussed, but my curiosity won over. “What did he say?”

Alex chuckled and reached for another cigarette. “Just the usual ‘don’t hurt her’ or ‘lead her on’ and ‘always respect her wishes’ kind of thing. Then he asked just how serious we were and if I was planning on marrying you and what I was figuring out for the tour.”

I blinked. “Wh…what did you say?”

His eyes met mine. “That I planned on leaving you for another woman.”

I blanched and it felt like my eyes were about to roll right out of my head.

Alex blinked and reached for my hand again, quickly realizing what a mistake it must have been to say something like that. “Baby, I’m kidding, I would never. I didn’t say that.” He lifted it to his mouth and kissed my knuckles. “I told him that I loved you very much and that yes, I was going to ask you to marry me, but that we had some time still. And then I told him that we would figure the tour out and that it wasn’t going to hurt us and that I was going to do everything in my power to make sure that you were happy and taken care of.”

My heart began to settle back down in my chest. “What did he say?”

“That so far I seemed a man of my word and that your mom and he trusted me to continue to be so.” He shrugged. “Then he clapped me on the back and told me he couldn’t wait to welcome me to the family officially.”

I grinned. “He likes you.”

Alex smirked. “Course he does; what’s not to like.”

“Careful there, we wouldn’t want that head of yours to grow any bigger.”

“Which head are we talking about here?”

I laughed and smacked his arm lightly. “Don’t be crass.”

“You love it when I’m crass.” He caught my head again and kissed my palm. “You know, we could sneak out and go to my place for the night and I could have you back before they even wake.”

I tried to pull my hand away and nudge him, but he held it fast and began to kiss his way to my wrist. “There’s hardly enough time for any of that and we wouldn’t have to go all the way back to your place. We’d just have to be quiet.”

His lips curved into a smirk against my skin. “Oh baby, the things I’m planning on doing to you, there’s no way you could stay quiet.”

I felt a twinge in my tummy at his words. “Shh, there’ll be plenty of time for that after they leave me tomorrow.” Then my face morphed into a pout. “I don’t want them to go.”

“Aww,” he dropped the ‘getting into my pants’ act and returned my pout. “I know you don’t and I’m sorry that they have to leave you.”

“Why do I have to live so far away?”

“Well, because you moved to California and made a life for youself.” Then he cheesed at me. “And you met me and now you can’t leave because you can’t stand to be apart from me for even a day’s time.”

Little did he know how much that was true. “What are we gonna do when you go on tour?”

I think the question caught him off guard because he paused and stared at me for a moment. “I thought we were discussing your parents leaving.”

“Well, we were, but your comment made me think about you leaving and I think now’s a good time to talk about it.”

He sighed and lowered my hand from his mouth to his chest. “Don’t you want to go with me?”

“Truthfully?”

“Please.”

It was my turn to sigh and I took my hand back and sat up straight in the chair. “Part of me does because I can’t stand the thought of us being away from each other for great lengths of time, but then there’s a part of me that wants to stay here so I can work on my career and take care of my dog and my home.”

“Right, because you want to get your own office.”

“Yeah.” I nodded my head and watched him with a growing feeling of apprehension in my stomach. “Is that okay? To want that for myself? I just feel like I’m working so hard for it then your tour comes up and I have to drop it and go off with you, who knows what kind of position I’ll be in when I come back to it.”

“I get that, baby, I really do.” He turned in his chair to face me, snubbing out the last of his cigarette. “And I think it’s great that you’re working toward your own agency and have those goals for yourself.”

I studied his expression. “Where’s the but?”

He sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. “I’m trying not to be selfish. I do really want you to come with me; I’m going to be gone for weeks, or months, at a time and it drives me crazy just thinking about you not with me and us away from each other for that long.”

“Are you worried about us being able to handle it?”

He paused and bit on his bottom lip.

That made my stomach drop. “You don’t think we’ll be able to survive it? If I stay here and you go on tour? You think something like that would break us up?”

“I…I don’t know, baby,” he raked his fingers through his hair, “are we talking like…you don’t even come visit?”

My mother’s words went through my mind and I forced myself to calm down and not fly off the handle at the way he seemed to be thinking of our relationship. “Of course I would come visit you; every chance I got. I want us to work out as much as you do and I’m not going to let distance come between us.”

“And how many times is ‘every chance I got’? If you’re trying to start your own agency and branch out on your own with employees and everything, then really, how much free time are you going to have?”

I could feel my heart kick up a notch. “You don’t think I would make time for you?”

“Would you?”

“Of course I would!” I exploded, feeling hurt and offended. “You’re the most important thing to me and I wouldn’t let my work come between us.”

“Then why can’t you come with me? Staying behind because of your job is letting work come between us.”

“No it’s not!” I frowned at him. “I’m my own person, Alex, and I can’t just drop everything going on in my life to follow you around the World while you do your job. Do I not count? Do I not get something I want?”

He sighed and leaned back into the chair. “I just don’t want to lose you.”

My heart softened at the sad tone of his voice. “Baby, you aren’t going to lose me. I want our relationship to work out and I want a future for us. I’m going to do everything I can to make sure that we stay together, but I just can’t put my life on hold like that.”

“And what happens if you meet someone while we’re apart?”

I wasn’t sure if I should be offended at his question, but I decided to remain rational. “I’m not going to meet someone else.” I studied his face, making sure our eyes were locked before speaking again, “There is no one else. Besides, I won’t have my heart to give to anyone; you’ll have it in whatever country you’re in.”

A small grin tugged at his lips. “That’s right.”

There were so many routes I could take with this conversation that it was making my head ache. Did he not trust me? Did he have that little faith in our relationship? Was he worried that I didn’t love him enough? Did I have that little faith in our relationship? Was he the one that might become lonely and go looking for love elsewhere? It felt like all the questions were swimming around in my brain shouting at me to ask them, but I couldn’t form a single one of them on my lips.

Alex must have sensed something because he tilted his head and watched me with a curious expression. “What are you thinking?”

I rubbed my face with both hands then tucked my hair behind my ears. “Do you trust me?”

“Of course I do,” he replied without missing a beat. “Do you trust me?”

“Completely,” was my reply.

“Look,” he looked off for a moment then his gaze settled back on my face, “I guess I’m just not used to being with a woman who hasn’t based her entire life around me. You’re the first girl who’s put her foot down like this when it comes to my touring and it’s a little hard for me.” He reached out and caught my hand in his. “But it’s not a negative thing, baby. We’re going to be okay and if I allow myself to think rationally and not let my emotions take over, then I know that we’ll see each other and make time for each other. I know that we’ll make it through this.”

I felt the weight just fall from my shoulders. “Good and I’m so glad you said that, because you were really starting to freak me out.”

He pouted then kissed the back of my hand. “I’m sorry and when I get like that again, just remind me that you’re not my exes and that we have a healthy and mature relationship.”

“Are you like those spoiled kids who always get what they want and then the minute someone tells them no they have a temper tantrum?”

He blinked at that. “Was I having a temper tantrum?”

“You kinda, sorta where.”

He dropped his head at that. “I’m sorry.”

I squeezed his shoulder then ran my fingers through his hair. “And we still have a little while to figure it all out.” The conversation with my mother from their first night here was replaying in my head and I suddenly felt guilty for my decision having been made before the tour was even planned out. She had told me to relent some and not be so stubborn and to really listen to what he had to say and here I was already determined not to go and to focus on my career. Could we withstand the separation if I had that kind of a mindset? Was I being fair to him?

Alex lifted his head and stroked his fingers over my cheek. “All I know is that I’m gonna miss you like crazy.”

I felt the knife of his words twist into my heart. 80% giving, 20% receiving. 80% giving, 20% receiving. I had to repeat the words over and over in my head for a moment. “Once you guys have it planned out more where you’re going and all that, then maybe we can figure out a schedule; like the best days and times for us to see each other.”

He smoothed his finger along my jawline. “I’d like that.”

I offered up a small grin. “We’ll probably be flying back and forth so much we’ll have enough frequent flier miles to get a free honeymoon.”

That made him laugh and he pulled my hand to his mouth and kissed my knuckles. “I sure hope so.”

“Me too.” I leaned in and kissed his cheek. “Can you do me a favor?”

Alex reached out and pulled me from the chair and into his lap, settling us against the back and wrapping his arms around my waist. “Anything for you, love.”

I smiled and nuzzled into his embrace. “Every so often, will you just say to me ‘80% giving, 20% receiving’?”

I could tell he was perplexed because he peeked around and down into my face. “80% giving, 20% receiving?”

“Yes.”

“Any particular reason?”

I smiled and kissed the corner of his mouth. “Sometimes I just need a reminder that in life it’s important to bend a little.”

He shrugged some at that then gathered me in his arms and stood from the chair. “I can do that, but right now how ‘bout we go upstairs and I give you a few reminders of my own.”

I giggled at that and allowed him to carry me inside. “Only if you promise to keep quiet.”

“For you I can; for you, I’d promise anything.”

I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed his jaw. The tour that lay ahead of us next year was scary and trying to figure out when we’d see each other and how often we’d see each other was scary, but as long as I could remember to not be so stubborn and to give in a little every now and then, then I think we just might be okay. At least I hoped so.

End Notes:

I just want to say thank you to those of you that voted for me for the Felix Awards! And a thank you to those that nominated me. I won Best Female for Morgan for this fic and came in runner up with Best Male for AJ for this fic. Means so much that you guys are enjoying it. Thanks again! :)

Chapter Sixty-Four by summer
Author's Notes:

Got some inspiration for this one. Enjoy. :)

The next few months passed by for Alex and myself smoothly. There were no big dramas that arose, surprise ex-girlfriends coming out of the woodwork, issues at my work or with Alex and his band mates recording and working on their album. Life seemed to be moving merrily along with us. We didn’t bring up the tour subject very often, but if it was brought up it was handled well and no one got upset. Our days were filled with our jobs and our evenings we spent together either at his place or mine, or we’d hit the town and go to a restaurant or movie, the beach, boardwalk or find something new to do. And weekends were spent the same way, except the few we’d carve out for ourselves and take a trip to the mountains or down to San Diego and explore the zoo or Sea World or just walk hand in hand on the beach.

August melted into September then crawled into October. The second to last weekend in October, Alex and I flew to Arizona for my brother and sister-in-law’s going away party. My parents and Mimi and some of our other family and friends joined us. Grayson had rented out the banquet room of a hotel and when my brother throws a party, he throws one hell of a party. The place was lit up with those cool lantern type lights everywhere and food was catered in and even a DJ spinning tunes with a dance floor. It felt more like a celebration than a going away party, which was fitting because this was my brother and he wasn’t one for sadness or tears.

Despite it being a fun weekend, it was a sad weekend as well and the highlight had been Alex telling me that we’d go as soon as we could to visit them. And then when his group toured over in Europe, and especially London, that we might be able to meet up for a bit. So there were definitely things to look forward to when it came to when I would see Grayson and Candace again. My parents were toying with the idea of spending Christmas overseas, which kind of defeated the purpose of Alex and me spending Christmas with them in Connecticut. But I stayed mum because there’s always next year.

For Halloween, Alex and I attended the party of a friend of his. I went as a Saloon girl from the old west and Alex was an outlaw. We were quite the pair. After the party, we stopped by Dianna and Manuel’s and I was in tears at the sight of my dear friend dressed in an orange bikini top and skirt with her belly sticking out there painting with the smiling face of a pumpkin. She was nearly six months along and the size of a dump truck, though I would never tell her that. They’d been trying to find out what sexes the babies where, but it seemed like every time they looked, neither child would cooperate and show their bits.

Finally November arrived. The weather was a bit cooler, but still nice and sunny. I was beginning to miss the cool crisp air of fall and the smell of bonfires as people sat around them roasting marshmallows and having hayrides. Though I didn’t miss the cold or snow that my parents were already receiving. Okay, maybe just a little bit I did. Not enough to really matter.

Alex and I were now looking at eight months together. Sometimes it felt like it should be much longer than that and other times like that wasn’t long enough. I was amazed at how far I’d come since the past March and being in such depression and despair at losing Hugh. Now I was in a healthy and happy relationship, and while I still had days I missed him, I was able to move on and look forward, not behind.

We had Thanksgiving plans to spend the holiday in Florida with his mom and her husband. And it did look like my parents were going to be flying to London over Christmas. Though my grandmother was going to be staying back in Connecticut, so that’s where we would be heading for the winter holiday. My boyfriend was not too excited about the zero degree temperatures we’d be facing, but he was happy to go along with the plans. I was going to buy him some nice thermal long johns though to help keep him warm, little did he know.

One evening, about ten days before our trip to Florida, Alex and I were relaxing at my place. I was sitting on the floor doing some last minute work with a house I’d just sold to a newlywed couple and my wonderful boyfriend was lounging on the couch flipping through the television channels like he had ADHD and couldn’t concentrate on just one program. I was doing my best to ignore him and Daisy was doing her best to get his attention with her stuffed toy.

Alex’s leg was jiggling and he would flip channel, sigh, flip channel, jiggle his leg, sigh, flip channel, flip channel, sigh, jiggle-

“Okay, what is going on?” I finally set my pen down and turned to him.

He blinked and looked at me. “Nothing.”

I arched both brows. “You’re acting like something is; all nervous and fidgety and I think we could just tape down the channel up button and it would be as effective as what you’re doing.”

He looked to the remote like he hadn’t even realized he was doing it. “I’m sorry.” Then he reached and set it on the end table.

I tilted my head and studied him. Something wasn’t right here. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m good.” But I could tell he was lying through his teeth.

“Baby,” I reached and smoothed a hand on his leg, “you know you can talk to me.”

He caught my hand in his and smiled at me. “I know.”

If something was going on, you would tell me, right?”

“Yes, baby.” Then he lifted my hand and kissed my palm.

I wasn’t sure rather to believe him or not, but I decided to let it go. Maybe he was just having an off day, or one of those days he had as a recovering alcoholic. “Okay.” I turned back to my work and took up my pen again.

Things were quiet for another few minutes save for the television and soon I was engrossed in my papers, momentarily forgetting about my boyfriend’s restlessness. He’d seemed to calm some and so I chalked it up to nothing major and went about my business.

“I want a baby.”

His words interrupted the quiet that had befallen us and I paused with my pen to the paper I was signing. “You what?” I turned my head to meet his gaze.

Alex wet his bottom lip then leaned forward some on the sofa. “I want us to have a baby, Morgan.”

Inside my chest, my heart was skipping a beat. “Wha…um…” I faltered for a moment then gathered my thoughts and tried again, “Us…to have a baby. Like…together? Like mommy and daddy and baby?”

“Yes,” he nodded then reached and took my free hand in his, “I want children and I really want children with you.”

“That’s why you’ve been acting so restless?”

He nodded again and I took my hand from his, dropping my pen and turning my body to face him more directly. “You want us to have a baby.” It was more of a statement than a question.

My boyfriend ran a hand over his face and sighed some then met my eyes. “Yes, I really want kids.”

Well so did I, but I wasn’t in a rush to start trying for one tomorrow. I kept that thought to myself and decided to try a different approach. “What brought this on?”

He drew up a shoulder. “It’s something I’ve been thinking about for awhile-”

“For awhile?” I couldn’t stop myself from interrupting him. “Alex, we’ve only been together for like eight months.”

“I know and I knew the very first time I laid eyes on you that you were the one for me.” He shrugged some. “I have the girl and we have a great relationship, it only seems natural that kids come next.”

My eyes were trying not to bug out of my head. “You don’t think like… being married would come before that? Or even living together? Which, neither of those pertain to us.”

“Hey, I’ve asked you to move in with me. That invitation has never been rescinded.”

“Alex,” I sighed some then pushed myself up and joined him on the couch, “I want children too, but right now is really not the best time for that.”

“And there never really is the ‘right time’ or ‘best time’ to have kids.” He watched me unwavering. “You just gotta dive in and instead of trying to work children around your life; you work your life around your children.”

I sighed some and reached for his hand. “And what life would that be? One with the two of us living in separate houses juggling a baby back and forth; you take him Monday, Wednesday and Saturday and I get the days in between. That doesn’t sound like a healthy relationship between any of the three. It sounds more like a divorced couple trying to figure out custody.”

“Then move in with me. You know that I want us to live together.”

“I don’t want to leave my house.”

“I told you I’d move in here.”

“And what are you going to do with all your stuff? You know it won’t fit in this place.”

“I’ll get a storage unit.”

I looked off for a moment, trying to gather my thoughts because his reasons for living together did make sense, rather I agreed with them or not. Finally, I turned my eyes back to his. “We’ve never talked about having kids before other than like...‘oh one day when we have kids’.”

“We’re talking about it right now.” He reached and took both my hands in his. “Look, Morgan, I want babies and I want them with you, no one but you. And I don’t want to be one of those dad’s who can’t really play with their kids because they’re too old to do that. We’re not getting any younger and if we keep putting it off and letting work and other things get in the way, then the moment is going to pass us by.”

I frowned. “Work and other things are not getting in the way and we’re not so old that in five years it’ll be too late for us. You won’t even be forty; you’ll have plenty of time to really play with kids.”

He blew a puff of air from between his lips and sank back into the couch, slouching some. “I don’t want to wait five years to have children.”

“I don’t mean that literally. It was just an example to show that we’re not too old and that we have time.” I took hold of his shoulder and gave it a squeeze. “Life isn’t going to just pass us by and we’ll wake up one day at like …sixty wondering where the last thirty years went and why we’re childless. Besides,” I waited till his eyes met mine before continuing, “I’d really like to have a wedding before I have children.”

“Technically you’ve already had a wedding.” He jerked some when I pinched him then caught that hand in his. “I’m sorry, that was inappropriate.”

“It really was.” I wasn’t mad though and knew he hadn’t meant anything bad by it. “You’re a smart ass. You know what I meant.”

Alex chuckled low and pulled me against his side. “I know and I don’t really see why it matters if we’re married before we have kids, but if that’s important to you then I respect that.”

“Thank you.” I slipped my arm around his waist.

“So, let’s get married.”

I blinked and lifted my head from his chest. “Excuse me?”

He tilted his head some to see into my face. “Let’s get married.”

I pulled back out of his arms. “Is that supposed to be a proposal?”

He caught my elbow to keep me from moving to far away. “Do you love me?”

“Of course, but-” He placed a finger to my lips in a shushing motion and cut me off.

“Do you want to spend the rest of your life with me?”

His finger was still there at my lips, so I didn’t speak. Instead, I nodded my head.

A grin tugged at the corner of his mouth. “Do you want us to sell both our houses and buy one together that will fit both our things and be both our places, not just yours or mine?”

My eyes widened at that. I hesitated then gave a nod, realizing that maybe some of my reluctance was exactly because of that yours or mine deal. It either felt like mine or felt like his, but never ours.

His smile grew a little more. “Do you want to know that no matter where I go or however long I’m gone … you’re always going to be my home and the place I’ll come back to and carry with me wherever I am?”

I nodded again, my eyes starting to shimmer with tears at those words.

“And do you want to grow old with me and watch our children grow and have children of their own? Sit together on the porch swing when we’re ninety and always be the person that the other can depend on?”

A few tears were trying to escape so this time when I nodded my head, I reached a hand up and wiped at my eyes.

He caught that hand in his free one and pressed a kiss to the palm of it then stood and drew me up from the couch. “Come with me.”

I blinked at that. “What? Where are we going?”

“Don’t talk. Just come with me.” Then he led us toward the patio doors and outside to the backyard.

“Alex I-”

“Shh.” He sent me a cute little look then led from across the backyard and toward the stairs that would take us down onto the beach.

I had only wanted to tell him I didn’t have my shoes on, which might have been important depending on where we were going. But it didn’t seem necessary as my bare feet touched the warm sand and I followed him along down the beach.

We walked along wordlessly with my mind going a mile a minute trying to figure out what he was doing. We’d been having a serious conversation about children and marriage and he suddenly wanted to take a walk? None of this was making a lick of sense and my head was throbbing at trying to figure it out. There just was no figuring out Alex Mclean sometimes.

Finally, and just when I didn’t think I could take the suspense and strange behavior any longer, he stopped. Glancing his eyes around first, he looked to me then took my hands and pulled me closer to him. “This is the place.”

I frowned in confusion and shifted my gaze to where we were standing. It was just sand and water and looked exactly like the rest of the beach. “What place?”

“The place we first met.” He motioned toward a large piece of driftwood. “You were sitting right there when I saw you. Remember?”

“Yes.” I studied the driftwood as a sense of nostalgia flowed over me and the memories of that day came back to the forefront of my mind. I’d been in tears over losing Hugh and not knowing what to do with my life, when he’d entered it like a mysterious angel. “How did you remember this exact spot?”

“How could I ever forget it?” His eyes studied my face so intently it was like he was seeing into my soul. “It was the day I knew why everything in my life had happened the way it had. It was the reason why I’d gone through everything I had.” He must have sensed my confusion because he wet his bottom lip and gripped my hands tighter. “It was all for you, Morgan. My life was laid out the way it was so that I would meet you. So that I would be the person you needed.” He hesitated a brief moment then let my hands go. “So that I could do this.”

And then he was reaching into the inside pocket of the black vest he was wearing and pulling out a small, black velvet box.

I nearly fell over and knew my eyes had to be the size of saucers. “Alex…” I managed out in a breath as the pounding of my heart filled my ears and goosebumps trickled down over my arms and legs.

He sent me a nervous little grin and I could see the fear and worry in his eyes that I might turn him down. But despite that, he lowered down to one knee and opened the box to reveal a glistening, princess cut diamond atop a platinum colored band with tiny diamonds sprinkled into it.

“Morgan,” he began, holding to the box with one hand and reaching for my hand with his other. “This isn’t going exactly like I’d planned, but I promise it’s not spur of the moment.”

I wasn’t sure I could hear him clearly around the roar of my heart as it thudded in my ears and worked its way up into my throat. Tears were blurring my vision and one minute I was standing, the next I was on my knees.

“I love you,” he continued once I was down in the sand with him. “And I know without a doubt that you’re the one for me. That everything we’ve gone through was to prepare us for, not only the day we met, but for today …and for the rest of our lives. I know that we both have a lot going on, but none of that matters. I’d give it all up to be with you, to have you with me forever,” his voice wavered some with the emotion that was flowing between us.

“Yes!” I blurted out the moment he paused, tears flowing freely down my cheeks.

Alex blinked. “Yes? Yes?!” He opened his mouth again then blinked and chuckled low. “Wait, I have to ask the question first.”

“Oh, sorry,” I sniffed then nodded my head.

He chuckled again and brushed his thumb over my cheek. “There’s no need to apologize and now that I know your answer, I can say without any worry, that I want to grow old with you, I want to buy a house and decorate it together, I want us to have the same last name and to be able to call you my wife and be your husband.” He brushed away more tears as his own eyes grew misty. “I want us to have babies and to be married before that happens. So,” he pulled himself upright more and held the box up and toward me, “Morgan Weston, will you make me the happiest man there ever could be and marry me?”

I couldn’t speak; a sob was threatening to come from my throat if I opened my mouth. Tears were sliding down my cheeks and falling into the sand and I was trembling like a leaf.

Alex blinked then leaned in toward me again. “Okay, now this is where you can say ‘yes’.”

I gave a laugh mixed with a cry then wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him close. “Yes. Yes!” I was able to force out.

He laughed and slipped his arms around my waist, pulling me to him and holding me tight. “I’m so glad.”

I laughed and cried and held him tight, pressing my face into his neck and hoping he didn’t mind the tears that would dampen his shirt.

We stayed like that for a long moment then Alex laughed and pulled back. “The ring. I have to put it on you.”

I blinked some and wiped my face. “Ooh, that’s right.”

“Can’t forget.” He chuckled then carefully slipped the ring from the box. “Let’s hope I don’t drop it.”

That made me giggle. “We don’t need you to lose it on the beach.”

“It’s fully insured, so no worries there, but I agree.” Then he took my left hand and gently slipped the ring onto my ring finger, sliding it perfectly into place. “Look at that, it fits.”

I admired the stone and the way it sparkled in the light from the setting sun. “It’s beautiful; I love it!”

“I was hoping you would.” Alex pressed a kiss to my knuckles. “I thought of you immediately when I saw it and said…that’s the one.”

My eyes lifted to his face. “You little sneak. Have you been planning this the entire time?”

He chuckled at that then captured my face in his hands and kissed me long and thoroughly.

“For a little while,” he admitted once we’d separated, though his hands were still holding my face.

“What was with all the baby talk?”

Alex laughed then shifted us down more in the sand and pulled me into his arms. “That was to throw you off. I was worried that you were suspecting what I was doing, so I was trying to throw you off course.”

I peeked to his face. “So you don’t want kids?”

“Of course I do,” he smoothed a hand through my hair, “but not right now. I agree with you that we should get married first.”

I giggled. “You really are a sneak.”

“One that is completely and totally and utterly in love with you and can’t wait till the day you’re Mrs. McLean.”

I paused. “Morgan McLean. I could be M&M.”

Alex laughed and hugged me close. “That’s what I’m gonna start calling you; M&M.”

I giggled again and my eyes drifted down to the rock on my finger. Eight months ago I would never have even dreamed I’d be in this place again; somewhere feeling so loved and wanted and needed and knowing there was a very bright future ahead of me. I’d come a long way since Alex had come into my life, and there on the beach, in the same spot it’d started, I knew that this would be forever.

Sure, life would have more ups and downs for us, but I was a different person now and with Alex by my side, I knew we could get through whatever would come our way. My life may not have turned out anything close to what I’d always imagined as a child, but I wouldn’t change one bit of it. And one day, in the near future, I just knew we’d have that house on the corner with the big backyard and two or three children underfoot, lazy Sunday morning brunches and summer vacation trips to Florida. Because in that place that I thought was the end, I’d found a whole new beginning.

End Notes:

It's done! It's done, it's done, it's done! I can hardly believe it! But there's good news .... stay tuned for part two. That's right ... part two which is going to continue to follow AJ and Morgan's love story as they embark on the new chapter in their life. Much more to come. :)

I hope you've enjoyed this story and will check in once part two is posted. Thanks so much to all my wonderful readers, reviewers and supporters. I couldn't have done it without you. :)

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9497