Hard Times by Backstreetgirly
Summary: "Hard Times" is a play. It is a memory play narrated by one of the characters; Joey Harris, a dormitory student at Worthington University.The events happening in this play are narrated by Joey four years later.
Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Genres: Drama
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 8563 Read: 2797 Published: 02/26/09 Updated: 02/26/09
Story Notes:
Worthington University Campus is the part of the setting.The university is located in Boston/ USA. Professor Jason Brings lives in one of the university lodgings with his wife, Michelle, who is an executive at a stock market company.Alexander is one of the junior class students. He stays in the dormitory. The professor’s interest in Alexander disturbs the relation with his wife, Michelle .She can’t understand why her husband suddenly changes but she has no idea about Alexander. So the Professor and his wife’s relationship weakens gradually.
Alexander spends most of his time in the university library.Actually he can be described as a bookworm. Because of being compared to his elder brother, Jonathan, who is a successful academic at another university, he has become the victim of his parents’ constant criticism. That is why he has given himself to the abstract world of philosophy and psychology; studying and reading Freud, Rogers, Aristo and the other masters in this field, who are his only friends. Under the effect of such studies, he can be sometimes unwittingly cruel like a psycopath.
Being different from other students in this way, Alexander attracks the attention of Professor Brings, who tries to help Alexander. But in this struggle, as it is mentioned above, the professor is deeply affected and he is confused with own emotions.His mind is mixed up and falls into endless abyss.Mean while Alexander has some feelings for Joey Harris but his love is not answered and his inevitable end is a suicide so Joey’s desperate efforts are useless and helpless.Apart from being the narrator Joey is another student of the professor at the campus.She stays at the dormitory like Alexander. She is the most outstanding student at the Psychology Department. She becomes the apple eye of the professor with her extra ordinary power of imagination, creativity, with the help of her increadible power. Her involvement in mental disorders draws Alexander attention.
One day Alex and Joey go to a concert where they meet Alex’s brother, Jonathan who turns out to be Joey’s unattinable love, and outstanding successful student, a star at St. Louis and spoiled by girls in those years..But Jonathan fails to notice Joey in those years. So years later when Joey and Jonathan meet just by coincidence they both fall in love with each other. However, Alexander’s growing feelings for Joey cause a dilemma in her but when she examines her own feelings for him, she finds out that this relationship cannot be described as an emotional affair which can’t be compared to her feelings for Jonathan, her real love..When Alex learns about their affair, he is defeated, frustrated and shocked. İnevitably this shock leads him to his suicide. In the end Joey becomes the victim of her uncontrollable feelings and she is left behind in agony and desperation and her memories of her unforgettable friend Alexander.
***This is actually my first english story and it was my term homework .lol.I wrote it in 2002, I inspired by AJ and Joey from the Dawsons Creek so hopefully you guys will like it.***

1. PART 1 by Backstreetgirly

2. PART 2 by Backstreetgirly

PART 1 by Backstreetgirly
ACT I:
SCENE ONE
At the rise of the curtain the audience is faced with Worthington University Campus, sophomore class, lecture room B students. Some of them are strolling and chatting with new faces and some of them are are standing alone and seem to be awkward.Alexander is one of the students sitting at the back row.The walls are decorated with portraits of Aristo, Platon, Sokrates and the the other masters in this field.
Dressed in casual clothes, Joey enters the stage, holding books of philosophy and walks across the front of the stage.. There she stops and addresses the audience.

Joey(with agonising expression on her face):The play is memory. I'm the narrator of the play. I'm also a character in it. The other characters are Professor Brings, who gave us the first lesson at the university, his wife Michelle, who was an executive at a stock market company. Alexander, a sophomore that year. Yes, it was 1999, that was four years ago. I remember those days as if it was yesterday. I think the rest of the play will explain itself.

(Joey goes to her seat and gets ready for the first class on the first day of the school year. The professor comes into the lecture room)

Professor:Good morning class.(He turns back and writes his name on the board which reads "Jason Brings" and turns back to the students. Wordlessly he puts a chair on his table, turns his back and writes on the board" Prove to me that this chair doesn't exist!"
The students in the lecture room look at each other’s, faces with blank eyes. Some of them start scribbling. Alexander collects his books, stands up and leaves the lecture room groaning. Professor looks puzzled but doesn't have time to respond to Alexander's reaction. Joey writes two words on her paper in two minutes and gives her paper to the Professor, grinning with one thousand watt while the others are trying to find the answer. Professor takes the paper on which it reads" which chair?". He looks at Joey's face with great appreciation.

Professor: What is your name, brilliant girl?
Joey: (Being under the effect of an unusual answer...)Joey Harris, nice to meet you Professor.
Professor: You must be interested in Philosophy..I didn't expect such an answer from any of you.
Joey( looking embarressed): A little bit, Sir.
Professor: Where are you from, Joey?
Joey: From the south, St. Louis High School , I'm staying at the dormitory. This is my first year here. I've always been interested in philosopy and psyhology and dreamed of understanding abstrack world of the masters in this field..(Professor's and Joey's voices lower as the curtain comes down)








SCENE TWO
The curtain rises. Joey comes across the stage in her same casual clothes, holding notebooks in her hands, stops at the front and addresses the audience.Behind her, there is the scene of library , which is enlighted. Alexander is sitting at one of the tables with the piles of books of psyhology in front of him. There are a few couples of students busy with their work.

Joey: Professor and I were introduced to each other like that. He had found my answer as an outstanding one. Our relationship as a student and a teacher had become very close after that incident.
Actually , this incident had brought a great popularity to me. All of the boys were hanging around me, trying to impress me. My intelligence had attracted the attention of all the new comers, even Alexander secretly. I was too spoiled to see his interest in me. Several days later when I went to the library to do some research on a subject which the Professor had given us, I saw Alexander. Alexander was an introverted boy. He was always quiet and shy, seemed to be more interested in his own thoughts than the things outside himself. You would never see him amoung groups as I have mentioned I wasn't aware of his interest in me which I found out many many years later.Telling the truth too late!

Joey turns her back to the audience and goes towards the shelves and looks at the books with scrunity.Alexander leaves his chair, goes behind the same shelf in front of which Joey streches her hand to take one of the books which Alexander wants to take. Not being aware of each other, they pull the same book titled as " The study of Human Soul"from the opposite sides of the shelf . They pull with force but nothing happens. Then they become aware of each other with great surprise. They look at each other not knowing what to say for a few seconds...

Joey:Oh I'm sorry I didn't know you were here.
Alexander (ackwardly): Oh, yeah. (He looks down shyly)
Joey (with sincere smile on her face): Alexander! Your name is Alexander, right? For godness sakes! You know , this sure is funny. What a coincidence that we are looking at the same book in this huge library. You must be researching for the topic which Professor Brings has given to us.

Alexander (timidly) : Yes.-Aristoteles is my favourite. Especially this book of him "Study of Human Soul." You know,- he was the philosoph who didn't count the interpretations made on human soul ,- took them aside, focused on human soul which he thought was the function of life...
(Joey interrups with him)

Joey: Oh very impressive. Yes, this is the book in which he made a lot of assesments that soul should be handled with human body. According to Aristoteles it cannot be claimed that soul is an indepedent existence. You know,- soul is function of body.

Alexander( clearing his throat) : Why don't you take the book? I can work on it later. What is more - I have got another paper to do.

Joey:Oh really that's very kind of you. You know what? Why don't we study together?

Alexander (he looks down again, doesn't have the courage to look into her beautiful blue eyes then, hastily, out of embarrassment) : Oh, no you had better take it...


Joey ( insistingly) :Don't be silly, come on! If I take it, I will feel uncomfortable. (with a big smile on her face) and the argument is over I won't discuss this with you any further.
(she laughs heartily and Alexander laughs shyly)

Joey: Where shall we sit, Alex?

Alexander: Oh- oh, anywhere...

Joey: How about there at that table over there? Any objections?

Alexander:No...

Their voices lower as Alexander's shyness gradually fades away, he seems to be enjoying her company. The lights are off. The scene is dark.



SCENE THREE
Joey comes forward facing the audience.
Behind her, the scene is university campus garden, a few couples of students are strolling among the flower beds. Some of the couples hugging each other from their hips are sitting on the benches, some eating sandwiches, drinking coffee in a different corner, chatting among themselves loudly giggling, teasing themselves.
Alexander is lying under a tree in an isolated corner away from the noisy groups and romantic couples. This is the setting of scene three.

Joey: Our friendship with Alexander developed gradually right after our unexpected encourter in the library. Alexander, who would play a great role in my life was an unusual boy, completely different from other boys. Our relation grew stronger as close friends. Unfortunately he had already grown feelings for me which I wasn't aware of. Without my company you would never see him with other fellows from the school. He would play the lonely boy. I was the only girl at the campus with whom he was on friendly terms.
The other students regarded him with suspicious hostility. I had a humorous attitude toward him. Gradually my attitude affected him and I realized that his strangeness wore off.

(Joey finishes her speech and turns her back to the audience. After Joey says hello to her friends in the garden she starts to walk towards Alexander, who is listening Pink Floyd's " Another Brick in the Wall" song from his walkman. The music is played on the stage loudly from the loud speakers. Under the effect of the music, Alexander 's eyes are closed. He doesn't realize Joey's coming. Joey bends down and puts her hands on his closed eyes.)

Joey (with a big smile on her face): Who am I?

Alexander ( he smiles shyly): Joey, is that you! (he takes off the walkman headphones)

Joey: Lonely boy, what are you listening? I bet it's Pink Floyd

Alexander: How do you know?

Joey: What a silly question!! What other band can it be? You are always listening to them...-Do you mind if I sit next to you?

Alexander( shyly) : Oh sure…

Joey (immediately sits down next to him) : I'm comfortable as a cow.Will you have some gum?

Alexander: Oh- yes thank you...

Joey: You didn't show up in Professor Brings's class this morning. You know what, you and I got A on our projects. You rarely come to his class and you got an A, it's not fair.You must be very clever to get that high grade without entering his class most of the times.

Alexander: I can't stand his big mouth. He produces nothing- just transfers all the philosophs' thoughts but he tries to show himself as if he is one of them.. I'm sure I'm much better than him in this field, big idiot!!

Joey:Come on, don't say like that..He has a bad relationship with his wife, Mrs. Michelle Brings. They don't seem to have a happy marriage. Last week we had a chat with him at lunch time , he seems to have a lot of trouble as a husband. He is struggling a lot to deal with his marriage, I mean his private life.

Alexander: Is he the only one who has a trouble with his family?! Is he the only one who is fighting the problems?! (Looks into Joey's eyes) Do you think I lead a happy life-

Joey: Oh I'm sorry- I didn't mean-

Alexander: Oh I'm sorry Joey...I wouldn't like to bother you with my family problems-

Joey: Come on, I can be a good listener. I would be happy if you shared your problems with me.

Alexander: Oh, Joey. I don't know from where to start. Do you know what it means to be an eyesore in the family, -unwanted child -,to be constantly criticised,- to be compared to your successful brother all the time who sets a good example to you all your life.

Joey: Oh Alexander, I'm terribly sorry, I-

Alexander:Jonathan , Jonathan, Jonathan..This is what my parents keep saying all the time. (he mimics his parents) Why aren't you like Jonathan?? Why can't you be like him? You are embarresing us! My identity has always been in the shadow of my brother..God damn!! Joey, I hope you don't think I'm being too personal- do you?

Joey (puts her hand on his shoulder) : You are my best friend ,Alex. If we didn't share this, what would we share? If you don't mind I would sincerely say that I judge you to have a silly inferiority complex! You know what that is!! That's what people call it when somebody low-rates himself. This is your principal trouble you don't have faith in yourself as a person.You know what my strong advice to you is!! Think of yourself as SUPERIOR than your brother, Jonathan in some way.

Alexander: In what way would I think?

Joey:Why Alex, look around yourself a little.What do you see?A world full of ordinary, common people! Which of them has one- a hundredth of your great points!-Gosh! All you have to do is to discover your great points. You have an outstanding success in philosopy. Telling the truth this is between us, you are much better than the professor, believe me. You got the top grade although you rarely enter his classes .I happened to notice you had this inferiority complex that keeps you from feeling comfortable with people. You prefer loneliness all the time( she giggles) - except my company of course , which is an honour to me. Somebody should build your confidence up and make you proud instead of shy and turning away and -blushing- somebody should -kiss you (she kisses him on the cheek , Alexander sinks on the grass Joey starts laughing and slowly gets up streches her hand to him ) Come on!!! We are late for the professor's class, (giggling) your favourite one.

(They walk arm in arm to the campus building.)

SCENE FOUR

Professor is giving his lecture on Platon in philosophy class in front of the board, facing the students in room. The classroom is full of sophomore students. Joey is sitting at the front row, looking very enthusiastic whereas Alexander is sitting at the back, he doesn't seem to be interested in Professor's lecture as usual.

Professor: Platon is the source of happiness and a great zest for his readers...His dialogues are formed by the unity of unique depth of thoughts, ideas and invaluable shapes of perfection...These dialogues have protected their freshness and liveliness and have come to today’s world without aging-

Alexander(with a sarcastic expression on his face): Aristoteles is the one whose works are still efficient in todays world.

Professor( with a serious expression on his face): I would rather you had a turn… Just hold your hand up before you interrupt me.

Alexander: Sorry sir, but I don't agree with your ideas.

Professor( cleans his throat) :As the teacher of Aristoteles...(looking into Alexander's eyes) , Platon developed many ideas about art and beauty.Those thoughts of Platon have the metaphisical characteristics of ideas of beauty.According to him, as there is an idea of beauty, we can talk about the beauty of methexis, I mean objects, the pieces of art-

Alexander: Aristoteles's point of wiew on this topic, the beauty idea is much more common. (Professor looks at him helplessly, he opens his hands as if trying to say" what's going on?") In the area of art without master pieces, we can't except the idea of beauty according to Aristoteles and contrary to Platon, we can't talk about the idea of beauty as there are master pieces so master pieces and beautiful object don't gain value because of the existance of the idea of beauty!!!

(Joey looks puzzled, bewildered with Alexander's unexpected, challenging words. There is dead silence in the class. The tension is up)

Professor(with great anger): Do you claim to be better than me???!? You should respect my knowledge...I'm the professor here!!!

(Alexander collects his books, stands up furiously, walks down the steps and stands next to the Professor to his face...)

Alexander:Listen, you know what!! Knowledge is not the information of the sience of reasons. At the same time, it has to be the knowledge of universal reasons, because, naturaly, it is this knowledge which gives the best answer to the measures of learning. That learned information is the one which covers in the best way. It's the knowledge of the thing which is learned in the most difficult way...

(Alexander walks towards the door, opens it and the students hear the door slam loudly.)

Professor: You-you-you!!!!!!(turns back to the students)Okey, the lesson is over.

( Looking at the professor with puzzled eyes without saying anything, Joey leaves the lecture room immediately before the other students even move and the lights are off.)

SCENE FIVE

The audience faces the dormitory, fourth floor room number 405. This room belongs to Alexander ,it is a small room facing the school yard. The walls are covered with the posters of Pink Floyd and Eminem ..One of the posters on the left wall has a triangle through which a white beam comes out. In another poster on the opposite wall, there is Eminem standing in the center with a look of rebel in his eyes. There are two windows which overlook the school yard.There are no curtains but black stores pulled down completely..As it is day time, the room is dimly lighted because of the black stores.
There is a desk in the corner beside one of the windows ..There are many books of philosophy and psychology in a mess, and some notepapers on which there are doodles , words and scribbles ... Alexander is sitting at the desk listening to the song of 'Guilty Coincidence' by Eminem on the CD player. There is an expression of rage on his face.
He is doodling zigzag lines and circles
The audience hears a knocking at the door which is situated at the back of the stage on the left.

Alexander(As soon as he hears the knock, loudly and angrily): Get the hell out of! -

Joey:You get the hell out of here!!!

Alexander:Here(he catches Joey's voice. That’s why he even doesn't look up at her) Don't bother me , I want to be alone..

Joey:I think you are a baby, Alexander. You behave like a child. I knew where I would find you , in this cell-like room, darkened with the black stores, listening to gothic, melancholic music.(she bends down and turns off the music and stares at Alexander expecting a kind of respond putting both her hands on her hips)

Alexander: Can't I enjoy one piece of music??!?Has anyone asked you to interfere with my life ??Sickening- you and your genious professor -you both spoil my life!!!I'm tired of your constant intervention in my life...Get lost, leave me alone!!

Joey( with a cute smile on her face): Any preferences??

Alexander( looks up in a startled way) : What do you mean??

Joey: Where should I get lost, (she starts giggling.)??

Alexander: I hate this school and that idiot professor -

Joey: Our professor-

Alexander: Yes your professor not mine!!Yours !!!I'm sick of his high opinions of himself , his megalomania..He doesn't respect any alternatives.

Joey:Look, who says this?Don't you think you have done the same thing?

Alexander( he doesnt seem to be listening to Joey, he stands up turns his back to Joey looks out of the window):A professor that I know of is the one who tolerates other ideas, appreciates his student’s thoughts. Supports his students enthusiacticly and encourages the young ones to have the oppurtunity to improve and prove themselves and look at what that maniac is doing???He can't stand being interrupted ..Above all what I said can't be discussed..Even ignorant people know the diffence between Platon and Aristo on this issue.

Joey:Nobody denies your deep interest and knowledge on this issue..I guess the professor is aware of this too but the way you express yourself and the time you mentioned it by interrupting the professor's words repeatedly was wrong.Cannot be accepted...You know what I mean??

Alexander: I don't know Joey..May be you're right but I'm in the endless abyss...You are- you are-

Joey:I'm what Alexander?

Alexander:You are- you are a good - anyway I' m hungry.It's my treat.(The audience hears Alexander's low ,trembling voice from the loud speakers: 'You are my only light in the endless abyss.The sunshine in the darkness Joey...')

Joey: You fretful thing..Let's go I wouldn't miss this treat.By the way next Saturday-

Alexander: What's on next Saturday?

Joey:Ohhh..I'm always like this..It is stupid of me .Actually this was going to be a surprise

Alexander(looking at her questiningly, wondering what she is talking about): I know you are stupid(laughing loudly) but what surprise??

Joey:You know, there is a concert by Eminem.

Alexander:I know that everybody in Boston knows about the concert...

Joey:Idiot, of course everybody knows but nobody knows we have two tickets!!

Alexander(very excitedly and enthusiasticly shakes Joey holding her shoulders): You’ve said two tickets??

Joey: Calm down, calm down.. I knew this would excite you but this would be the only thing that would take you out of this mood.

Alexander(smiling timidly):Does this mean you are flirting with me??Oh god, the world has changed...

Joey:Don't speak nonsense..Come on I'm very hungry..Let's have our dinner.

Joey holds his hand, pushes him to the door.Lights are off ,the stage is dark.

SCENE SIX:

On the stage the audience faces the professor's lodging , the living room..It's dinner time..There is the atmosphere of upper middle-class style. There is little furniture in the room..The walls are covered with shelves on which hundreds of books can be seen.
The professor is seated in his armchair. He is smoking a pipe. A very thick book is in his hands.He seems to be concentrated on it. He seems not to be hearing Michelle's call:' Jason the dinner is ready..Jason-Jason!!!!' The professor's wife appears in the room finally she looks furious ..

Michelle:Don't you hear me??The dinner is ready!!!

Professor:Oh, sorry..I couldn't hear anything( he points at the book in his hands)I have been reading this-

Michelle(angrily, with lack of tolerance in her voice): This is the only thing you are always doing..Reading, reading, reading..Nothing else.

Professor(without looking at Michelle): What's for dinner??

Michelle: What can be for dinner?Frozen beef..

Professor: Awww, the ritual as usual..Can't we try anything else for a change??

Michelle:You should be grateful for this...You know how busy I am.I have made a slave of myself to you-..


Professor: I'm tired of your business,hectic work..If it goes on like this, you will be offered the ownership of the company.(sarcastically)Executive Mrs. Brings.Like the other guys, why don't I have a wife who meets her husband with a smiling face every evening, preapearing something different to eat???I'm tired of eating-


Michelle: Don't be selfish-...


Professor:Frozen beef, frozen chicken , frozen whatever-..

Michelle:It's me who is sick of your lack of interest in me , in our marriage.Even in your sleep you keep talking about your precious student..Who is that Joey and Alex you kept saying in your dream last night..A new girlfriend??

Professor:Did I say their names??

Michelle:As every night for a month.

Professor:Don't be silly ,they are my students, harmless ones.Stop this jeaolusy.

Michelle:Yes, I'm jealous of your constant interest in them...

Professor:I'm not going to discuss this with you any further(He stands up, puts the book on the coffee table and walks towards the door without saying anything)

Michelle:Where are you going??You will hear more you-

Professor(without turning his face):No, I won't hear anymore, I'm going to the moon where I can't hear your nagging.

Michelle:Jason, I'm at the end of my patience, come back here the dinner-(she hears the door slamming loudly)... Go to the hell!!!!!!

The curtains are drawn ..
PART 2 by Backstreetgirly
ACT II:

SCENE ONE:

At the rise of the curtains, long queues of people in front of the ticket booths outside the concert hall can be seen. There are also people behind stands who are selling posters of " Eminem". Some people are buying some drink and fast food from the food stands..The announcements from the loud speakers mentioning that the concert is starting in five minutes can be heard.People seem to be restless and hurrying up as they are late for the concert.Joey and Alexander look very excited .They are also in one of the queues .

Joey: How many people are there in front of us?

Alexander: There are as many to make us late..

Joey:I'm afraid we will miss the begining of the show..What a pitty!(She sighs)

Alexander: God damn traffic! What a silly organization..Whenever there is a concert organized at this concert hall there is always a problem..(He sighs too.) If they gave me this job, I would show them how to do it! I would hold this concert in Atlantis Concert Hill in L.A. and these disgusting queues wouldn't-

Joey ( Giggling loudly holds Alexander by the arm): Enough!!! Stop it..I shouldn't start this conversation.When I ask you something ,you start writing a novel and it never ends Mr. Opposition( Alexander seems not to be listening to Joey. He seems to be looking at something far in the distance behind Joey) Why aren't you listening to me???

Alexander:Oh gosh! This is impossible.I wouldn't believe-

Joey:You wouldn't believe what??What are you looking at?( she turns her back looks behind herself where she can see a young man waving at them with a big smile on his face. He is approaching them with a young beautiful girl who is holding his hand. Looking puzzled Joey looks at Alexander for an answer with questining eyes.. )

Alexander(starts stammering ):He- he-he is Jo-joNATHAN!!

Joey:Jonathan!??!!? Look at this coincidence ..Has he come for the concert too??!??!Is that that Jonathan?I mean the one- your brother...But his face is familiar to me.Oww it is imposibble..( with startled eyes and looking at Alexander's face)

Alexander: I-I guess so..(He looks startled)What? Do you know him?

Joey: I-I-I don't know.But he reminds me of ...Who is that girl next to him??

Alexander: Tell me if you know...I don't care who she is-( Jonathan comes near them)

Jonathan: Hi Alex!! I wouldn't believe if someone told me I would see you here with a beautiful girl..( He turns to Joey and stares at her for a few seconds as if he is trying to remember something.) Hi I'm Jonathan..Well it is ridiculous I mean a funny feeling but you remind me of someone I know from old years..I must have seen you before...

Joey: I have that funny feeling too..I was telling Alexander the same thing.Do you think we might have met somewhere before? High School may be?

Jonathan:You mean St. Louis High?

Joey:Oww... You are him, the captain of the debating club, president of the seniour class, singing the male lead in the annual opera...Yes, you are him..Oww I should have known that..Alex has been talking about you all the time.I mean-(glancing at Alexander as if she understands him deeply)
Jonathan: Oh, yeah, how nice to see someone from highschool..Forgive me but I can't remember your name... Miss?

Joey:I'm Joey , well it is natural that you don't remember me, (she giggles) you were so popular then, surrounded by all the school girls.I was in grade nine when you were in seniour class..

Jonathan:Oh yeah, Joey..Sorry...The girls were spoiling me in those years and this is my girl, Eliza..(Looking at the girl..) Eliza, this is Alex you know, and this young lady is Joey


Joey: Nice to meet you


Jonathan: I hope this stupid (points at Alexander) has told you too much about me ,have you Alex??( looks at Alex again sarcastically)

Alexander (shyly ,awkwardly): Oh, Joey I-I didn't know you knew Jonathan from high school..You didn't mention him at all.

Joey: How could I know you were talking about this Jonathan..(she turns back to Jonathan) Alexander has been telling me about you all the time, Jonathan..I guess you both have come for the concert, right?? (points at the tickets in Jonathan's hands) ..Well, we didn't want to miss Alex's favourite singer and the second reason is (giggling) that I didn't want other girls to take Alex out of my hands..You know, nowadays you can't trust single girls around

Alexander(leans towards Joey and whispers into her ear): Stop it..Enough

Joey:You shouldn't leave Alex alone with other girls, you know-

Jonathan: Oh Alex, you seem to have changed a lot boy!.. You have become socialized!! What a change?!?! Our fainthearted Alex has become popular with girls..Wooww..So you have stopped your aloofness ha??

Alexander( looking at Jonathan furiously ) : What the hell are you talking about Jonathan??

Jonathan: Oh, boy...This is a big change ( very sarcastically)..This is not the portrait of our shy Alex..It's a wonder how you have gained this manlyhood.Ohh, you have become a harsh boy..Where is our timid , clumsy Alex??When you last left home you weren't like this lad!!?!? This young lady must be the builder of your confidence, she seems to have created a new character..

Alexander(his face is red with anger): Joey come on, I can't put up with this arrogance..Are you coming or not??I'm going...It was nice to meet you, Eliza..(he turns his back to them and walks towards the hall without waiting even for Joey..Joey says something to the couple but the music so loud that the audience cannot hear the rest of the conversation..She runs after Alex to the concert hall and Jonathan and Eliza goes to the concert hall from another gate. There is nobody on the stage outside the concert hall except the people behind the stands.)

The stage is dark and the light are off, the audience hears only the Eminem's voice

SCENE TWO:

It is 8 a.m.A large group of people are coming out off he concert hall..Some of them are still singing the songs of Eminem enthusiasticly. Some are holding the posters of Eminem screaming happily.Among them Alexander looks gloomy as if he is attending a funeral.The expression on Joey's face is not as sad as the one on Alex's. The flock of people disappear from the back doors of the stage, Alexander and Joey come forward to the audience.They stop and start talking.

Joey(Sarcastically) : Well, it was all right ha??It was worth coming..

Alexander(without looking at Joey) : I wish I hadn't come..

Joey:Come on, why are you saying like that?? I thought you liked Eminem.

Alexander:I like Eminem, but I hate Jonathan..I didn't get the joy of it even for a second..He destroyed my day .What am I saying, he has ruined all my life!! Can you imagine what it means to live with such a brother ??You can't even know what it means to live with a family of my own..Jonathan the prince in their eyes!!And the prince in your eyes too!!!Alexander the loser in their life!!!

Joey( trying to coex him) : Come on Alex, aren't you exaggerating a little bit haa??Jonathan had a really glorious record at high school..That's all.

Alexander: You seemed to be enjoying listening to his humiliation, didn't you??

Joey : How can you say such a thing?? I thought I was trying to show that I was on your side trying to embarrass him by the words I chose very carefully.

Alexander: Oh yeah..You embarrassed someone but not Jonathan but me!

Joey: Stop talking like an idiot...You're very good at starting a row..Anyway I'm late..I can't discuss with you any further.

Alexander( with questioning eyes): You're late for what ??

Joey: Well...I have a date.

Alexander(his mood suddenly changes, his voice becomes soft): Oh, a date ha??? I thought we would do something together tonight...

Joey: Oh, yeah..You taught we would have a row all night

Alexander: I-I-I actually had planned a surprise dinner.I-I-I had a table reserved for us at the Elegant, you know the restaurant..

Joey(shocked): WHAT??You had a table reserved for us??Are you joking??Have you won the lottery??

Alexander: Since you bought the tickets, I have been saving some of my allowance..

Joey: Oh Jesus Christ!! That's why I haven't seen you at the school cafeteria recently..I'm terribly sorry Alex but I wish I had known about this crazy arrangement of you.. But you know I'm so sorry, as we didn't fix what we would do this evening I couldn't say no to-

Alexander: You couln't say no to WHOMM??

Joey:Aaa- David..You know today he is giving a party and-

Alexander: The one at Block C Dormitory??The one who caught rabbies-

Joey:He insisted on my coming and I couldn't refuse and the other girls are going too -you know..If we hadn't arranged to meet with the girls at 8.30 I could have cancelled but it will be difficult to explain it to David.

Alexander (with an expression of jealousy on his face and in his voice) David?? David haa??? Well, I didn't know you and David, that idiot were so close to each other...Okey..Okey you don't need to explain it to me. However it is not difficult to say no to Alexander!

Joey: Oh, Alex don't do that to me.Just be understanding-

Alexander: That's all right, I'm all right..I understand that..I mustn't say such things..I don't want to hear more ..Go!

Joey: But Alex, please

Alexander turns his back with clumsy movements with an outraged expression on his face , he goes away. Stupified by his reaction, Joey stares at him...The scene dims out, the stage is dark.

SCENE THREE:

At the rise of curtains some students are seated at the school cafeteria, the pop music is heard from the loud speakers ..They are eating , chatting cheerfully with each other at the tables Alexander is isolated at a table in one corner .He doesn't seem to be interested in what's going around him. He is wearing casual clothes ..There are couple of books on his table ,there is a bottle of coke in front of him. He seems to be reading something.
Joey appears on the stage , comes forward to the audience ,turning her back to the cafeteria.

Joey: I hadn't seen Alex for a few weeks.This was different from the previous rows we had had before.We would have a row now and then and we wouldn't talk to each other for a few hours or one or two days at most, but they hadn't lasted so long like the last one..After the last quarrel we had had with Alex because of David's party, Alex tried to escape from me for weeks .He would do anything to avoid seeing me. Even at the class he wouldn't greet me and find the only vacant seat where I couldn't sit next to him. I would go to his room many times but he wouldn't answer. I would call his name at the door or knock at the door harshly but it wouldn't work ..Even jokes wouldn't work.I was helpless.. This was the first time our relationship had broken up for that long..It was foolish of me still not to understand this was because of his secret , romance .I hadn't realized that he was jealous because of my closeness to David, whom I had no feelings for at all..David was just an ordinary friend for me, but Alex wouldn't understand that. I wish I hadn't been that blind but that day the cafeteria was too crowded for him to avoid me .The chair at his table was the only one where I could sit.He was too concentrated on the thing he was reading..

Joey turns her back to the audience and goes through the tables towards Alex's.

Joey: That's enough of you , how long will you be that capricious??Forever???

(Alexander doesn't look up.He looks as if he has heard nothing)

Joey: If you don't look up and listen to me, I'll scream in the middle of cafeteria now..Is that publicity all you want??

(Alex rises his head a little bit and stares at her scornfully.)

Joey: So it means that your brain still has a function.(she sits down angrily) I'm fed up with this nonsense.Give an end to this childish, capricious behaviour.

Alexander: Why don't you sit next to your dear friend David?? You see that I'm busy , reading this( he points at the article in his hand)

Joey: David , David stop this jealousy Alex! Is this the reason for your capricious stupidity? Is that why he didn't invite you to his birthday party but the other boys?

Alexander( he glances at her uneasily) : No , but-

Joey: Look, if it is David you are dealing with, he is just an ordinary friend, just somebody to whose party I could go with a group of friends-not alone.

Alexander: Well- I didn't mean to-

Joey: You didn't mean WHAT? He is such a friend who I can't share something special with! How dare can you compare yourself to him? You know how special you are to me...You know how different you are from others!

Alexander: Do you really think like that? I-I-I mean are you serious? In what sense do you think I'm different!Being different has brought me trouble all the time.You are the only one who has brought meaning to my life. I find other people so shallow , empty-minded, I can't see depth in them. They look with empty eyes.They make me feel ackward..They push me. I can't get closer to them.I find their life meaningless, aimless. They don't seem to have targets in their lives. When I'm with them, the time doesn't pass. They kill me , it's like a torture to be with them.I don't get any pleasure, zest. Instead of wasting time with them I would prefer to be alone.I mean I would lock myself to my room, and listen to my music and think of Aristo or Sokrates and so.But being with you is different. When I'm with you I feel different ..Actually I'm surprised to see how I'm talking to you so openly as if I'm talking to myself in my mind.I don't feel ackward. You know I'm expressing myself so openly, I wonder what you really think about me.I value your thoughts ...I wonder if my being difference gives you something you approve.I wish you could tell me your real opinion of me.

(Joey listens to him seriously looking into his eyes as Alexander talks to her without looking at her eyes. He is busy with drawing doodles at the back of his book he is holding in his hands. There is a long silence.)


Joey: I'm usually good at expressing things, but this is something that I don't know how to say!Well you are different from anyone else that I know.You know the different people are not like other people, but being different is nothing to be worried about. Because other people are not such wonderful people. They are one hundred times one tousand.There are many
ordinary people like David but you are one times one, unique.They are common like weeds.But you are like a blue tulip.Something very rare.I'm thirsty, why don't you offer me something to drink?Anyway,you think I'm making up this because I'm trying to make you feel better.Oh, I could do that. I could put on an act and talk to you without being sincere, but I'm talking to you sincerely.You should get rid of this inferiority complex which your family has created in you; which keeps you from feeling comfortable with people. I see that this complex gives you a lot of pain in your life. It affects your relations so you look like an aloof man to the people around you. Since the day we quarelled about David's party, you have been alone all the time..You should open yourself to other people, friends at school.Stop this freakish feeling. Don't escape from the other people. Let them approach you, be friends with you.

Alexander: I don't need other people's company, I'm satisfied with your company..

Joey:But Alex this is the problem of yours , I also get great pleasure from your friendship but the thing is you should get in touch with other people around you. You shouldn't restrict your life to my company only. You should share things with other ones, try to enjoy being with them.. You should change yourself...Think about this, Alex.You should get a way of getting along with other people as well as me..I can't be with you all the time, you must learn sharing me with my friends. You should get used to that.This can be David, Joanne, Karen, Henry, Paul, and so...I don't want any jealousy like this anymore, okey?

(Alex rises unsteadily glancing at her eyes ,hesitating to say something , he bites his lips which are trembling and then he bravely smiles at her.)

Well, We've got to go.(giggling) We need to catch your favourite's lesson.

Alexander: I can't stand him now, I can't bear his arrogance anymore ,you go...I'll stay here and go on reading this. (he points at the book in his hand)

The lights are off and the stage is darkened.

SCENE FOUR:

It is the library scene..There are couple of students studying and searching for books on the shelves..Alexander is looking at a book.It is lunch time. Professor Jason Brings appears at the door. He approaches the Book Circulation corner and starts to talk to the librarian behind the desk. After talking the librarian for a couple of minutes, the professor noticies Alexander is there and he changes his direction and goes towards Alexander with a serious expression on his face.Alex doesn't seem to be aware of professor's coming to him.

Professor(with a half smile on his face): Oh, it is my honour to see the genius here!

Alexander(looks up with puzzled eyes): Oh Professor is that you?I- I-I - well ( pointing the book in his hands) I've been looking at a paragraph about Sokrates and Hermogeres...You know I've been searching for my term paper..

Professor(his face slightly softened): I thought you were fooling around,cutting classes...

Alexander:Well as you see I'm not fooling around.

Professor sits next to him..

Professor: You are risking your credit in my class because of your absence.I know you are extra ordinarily different from the other students..Perhaps you can do without regular attendence but I would be sorry if you lowered your grades.

Alexander: Thank you very much for your concern Professor..Well telling the truth you have surprised me by showing your interest in me.Professor what I actuallly think is you-

Professor:I know what you think about me. Your problem is your behaviour.. The fact is that you are a wise boy...You and Joey are special to me..I have been watching you since that day.

Alexander:Which day?

Professor: The day when I was lecturing on Platon and Aristo..The thing you said was beyond the other students ,I mean the sophomores. Don't think that I don't appreciate your difference but you know you were making the subject difficult for the new comers; and you kept interrupting me all the time despite my warnings...So don't missjudge me as a teacher without tolerance.I would be sorry if you had wrong assumptions about me because I value your supremacy, your dept of knowledge .You are really unprecedented..I mean you and Joey.Well the difference is(he puts his hands on Alexander's shoulder in a friendly manner and starts laughing)Alex if you don't mind I will say the difference between you. The truth is that, compared to you Joey is a little bit far from extraterrestreals, you seem to be closer to them. That's why I find both of you quite close to me.

Alexander(with startled eyes and trembling voice): It is really surprising to see you talking like this, professor. The way you look and your nature are completely different..I'm pleased to hear that you think in a different way.

Professor: You must be hungary now, it is my treat let's have lunch together and we can a have chat.

Alexander: Well who can say no to such an offer?

Both of them go out of the library like two intimate friends..
The scene is darkened.

SCENE FIVE:
A shopping mall in the center of Boston..Lots of people are shopping , pushing their trolleys which are full of food in paper bags. Joey appears among the shoppers , she has got a few items in her trolley. She starts looking at the shelves..Unexpectedly Jonathan shows up. He notices Joey and runs towards her excitedly.Joey is not aware of Jonathan’s existance.

Jonathan: Owww.. Look at this! I wouldn’t believe to see you here. What a beautiful -

Joey(she turns back to him): Oh , Jonathan..What a good surprise.

Jonathan: Coinsidence.

Joey: How are you doing? ( she points at Jonathan’s trolley which is full of things) Are you giving a party? (giggling) Or have you become the father of a big family?

Jonathan (laughs sympatheticly): Oh yeah a small one for a couple of friends this weekend.. Friends from the university. You know...-Oh you should come too Joey.

Joey :Oh, I would love to ..I have nothing to do this weekend...

Jonathan: Let me give you my phone number Joey.By the way, do you have anything to do now? After shopping I mean...If you don’t mind I think we could-

Joey: Oh, nothing special... But I need to study for my finals.

Jonathan : Have a drink at a cafe.

Joey: Oh, I would love to..How about these( she points at the trolleys)

Jonathan: Nevermind..We can put them in the boot of my car...How about that ?(looking into her eyes with a full smile on his face and Joey looks into his eyes .. She looks impressed They look at each other wordlessly, as if electrified by each other for a couple of seconds.)

Joey: I-well- Let’s go then.

Still looking at her, Jonathan follows Joey to the exit.


The scene is dark.

SCENE SIX:
Joey comes across the stage , facing the audience. A saddening music starts playing in the background...There is the scene of a cafe and a sign on which it reads: “Paul Café” is suspended. Jonathan is sitting at a table in a frozen mode like other couple of people..

Joey(with a sad expression on her face) : Not long after the party at Jonathan’s house, I had realized that I had found the prince of my heart.(she starts playing with her hands glamourously.) After meeting Jonathan at the shopping mall a new era had started in my life..My mind was mixed up, I was in a dilemma.. I wasn’t able to control my heart.My brain had lost the power to lead my life, my feelings and my heart... (She walks to the left of the stage and starts speaking again ) Deep in my heart a voice was telling me not to go further with my affair with Jonathan. But I had become the slave of my emotions...I couldn’t do without thinking of Jonathan. Without him the time wasn’t passing..Life had no meaning without being with him. I had caught the love of my dreams..Dreams that I had thought would never come true. At St. Louis , Jonathan was the hero, the star at school in every activity; he was so popular.He was never walking but just running all the time...He seemed always at the point of defeating the law of gravity. So it was hard to reach him for us, the ordinary girls at school... To be recognized by him was like a gift from god. And years later that gift, the unattainable present , the dream , the miracle had been offered to me..I was helpless, I was enslaved by this irresistable sense of love. But Alex, Alex ....I was so scared deep in my heart that I would hurt him. I was so frightened that I would wound him. He would certainly be deeply offended...While I was blinded with Jonathan’s love , there was no place for Alex in my heart...He was an indispensible friend, my best company. But I thought I had no feelings for him, a kind of feeling that I would call romance.But deep in my heart this conflict was killing me and that day , I should say the doom day came inevitably...Jonathan and I were sitting in the cafe where we had gone after meeting in the shopping mall..

She ends her speech and turning her back to the audience, she goes towards Jonathan’s table.She sits oppossite him and they start talking and holding each others hand warmly.The sound of music and the muttering people can be heard easily. Alex comes into the cafe, looks around for a table and then his eyes catch Jonathan and Joey. He looks petrified for a few seconds, his mouth wide open looks at them motionlessly.(In the background the music is at vibrato point..)He approaches their table as if he is walking in his sleep. He stares at their holding hands speechlessly like a mummy. He stands behind Joey facing Jonathan. A few seconds later Jonathan becomes aware of Alexander’s existance...

Jonathan(looks up at Alex with a puzzled expression) : Oh Alex-

Joey: Alex- What Alex? Where? (she turns back and her eyes get widened) ALEX!! You- we-(she pulls her hand back quickly with the dominating sense of guilt..Not being able to understand what’s happening he looks startled too. ) Alex- I-I-I ..Why don’t you sit down?

Suddenly Alexander turns his back and rushes out of the cafe. Joey looks terrorized..The lights are off and the scene is dark.

SCENE SEVEN:

The audience faces the dormitory, fourth floor room number 405, the room that belongs to Alexander. The walls are covered with the posters of Pink Floyd and Eminem ... There are two windows which over look the school yard.There are no curtains but black stores pulled down completely..As it is day time the room is dimly lighted because of the black stores..A knock is heard and Joey comes in , she looks around the empty room and then she finds the envelope on which her name is written. She streches her arm and takes the envelope and opens it quickly and starts reading… The audience hears Alexander’s echoing voice from the loud speakers. While reading, tears start coming down her cheeks, she looks desperate and throws herself onto the bed. She goes on reading the letter.

Dear Joey,
I didn’t want to go before saying goodbye to you , I couldn’t do it…I couldn’t do it for the sake of our unique friendship!!Actually I shouldn’t call it friendship. It meant something more to me..Something I would call LOVE…I wish you could call it love too…But you didn’t…You never did! I know that I had lost my love forever when I saw your looks at Jonathan… I wish your eyes looked at me like that rather than Jonathan…But they never did… And they never will..Owww, Joey, Joey I’m trying to leave you behind me but I’m more faithful and in love then I intended to be!!! I cross the street, I run into the movies or a bar, I buy a drink, I speak to the nearest stranger- anything that can make me leave you behind!! But then you touch my shoulder and I turn around and look into your eyes…I’m going away to far distance…I will go much further where you will never find me..Where I will never see you… I wish you a happy long life with Jonathan… The one you prefered! The one you have always been in love with! I’m going away with a broken heart.
I know time is the longest distance between two places… Between two hearts…I’m going to the other world Joey…
Don’t be angry with me… I’m already dead in this world with my unanswered love, without you..I’m already bleeding deep in my heart… It has been raining since I saw you with Jonathan and I’m drowning in the flood…I’m not a fighter Joey you know, you know better than me..I’ve always been a loser!! I’ve always been defeated… The stars have never shone, the sun has never risen What I'd give to run my fingers through your hair, to hold you near… I think this is my fate..The unwanted man in this world..I have no other choice Joey… Goodbye Joey…

(While Joey holds the letter in her trembling hands, she starts sobbing uncontrollably. The scene is darkened..)
----The End---
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9615