You Found Me (First was How to Save A Life....this Fits Better) by openarmsgirl
Summary: Boy falls for girl. Girl has a boyfriend. Girl stuck in the relationship. Boy trys to save girl. Not your typical girl.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Domestic Violence, Graphic Sexual Content, Graphic Violence, Sexual Assault/Rape, Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: No Word count: 36394 Read: 20124 Published: 03/06/09 Updated: 08/07/09

1. Chapter 1 by openarmsgirl

2. Chapter 2 by openarmsgirl

3. Chapter 3 by openarmsgirl

4. Chapter 4 by openarmsgirl

5. Chapter 5 by openarmsgirl

6. Chapter 6 by openarmsgirl

7. Chapter 7 by openarmsgirl

8. Chapter 8 by openarmsgirl

9. Chapter 9 by openarmsgirl

10. Chapter 10 by openarmsgirl

11. Chapter 11 by openarmsgirl

12. Chapter 12 by openarmsgirl

13. Chapter 13 by openarmsgirl

14. Chapter 14 by openarmsgirl

Chapter 1 by openarmsgirl
So when you hear the name, Nick Carter, you think Backstreet Boys, “the cute one.” Some would think I could get any girl I wanted and that girls were the ones who begged for my attention. I dated Paris Hilton therefore I should be able to get anyone…honestly, that’s not saying much. Don’t get me wrong, she’s beautiful on the outside but please people, its true what they say about only being skin deep.
I’ve been after this one girl now since the day we met a couple of days ago and there is just no getting through. Now, the fellas think it’s because she has a boyfriend. Boyfriend, shmoy-friend. Please, this girl fell head over heels for me, alright she may have literally but I can get her to come around. A.J. thinks I’m "so into her because I can’t have her", this is partial but have you ever had this instant connection between someone and just knew you were supposed to be a part of their life?
Maybe, I should move this back to the day I met my “dream girl.” I use quotes because I don’t think many guys would be able to fight for what they want knowing, or having some sort of idea of the kind of life this girl lives.
It’s your typical sunny, hot, day in Florida, Tampa to be exact. I just moved back here this past spring because it’s just more like home to me. Friendlier people, people move at their own pace and not what is expected. The fellas and I just finished up on our European tour and are taking a much needed break before hitting up the studio to make our next album and start touring the states.
Alright, enough about me, stop getting me off track, my dream girl. I was in my black Jag, windows down, blasting P.O.D’s “Alive.” Maybe it’s an old CD but I just felt like listening to it and it’s an amazing CD. Boy Band listening to hard rock, I know, not what you’d think. But honestly, let’s get back to the girl. There I was sitting at a red light, my sunglasses on, I’m singing along, drumming my fingers on the steering wheel, heading to the book store. The light turns green and just as my foot is about to press on the gas this girl comes out of nowhere in front of my car. Next thing I know, I’m out of my car and kneeling on the ground looking at this goddess who is on her back.
“Oh, my God are you alright? I am so sorry; I didn’t see you at all!” My voice was panicked and I was taking my phone out to call an ambulance.
“I’m fine,” she smiles and pushes herself up a little.
“Don’t move I’ll call an ambulance for you.” At this point, cars are beeping and other’s having surrounded to see the commotion.
“I’m really okay,” she’s now sitting up, her blonde hair is piled up into messy bun and it’s for the first time I notice her arm is in a sling; a black cast covers her right arm. Her finger nails are also painted black and I help her to her feet.
“Maybe you should get looked at, perhaps at that arm that is injured already?” I asked and watched as she shuttered away from my hand.
“N-no, I’m okay thanks.” She took a step forward and I watched as her legs almost buckled underneath her. I reached both my hands out this time to steady her. I raised an eye brow up re-questioning my last question. Is that right terminology? I looked her up and down one more time seeing if I saw any blood from her legs or bones ready to protrude out. I saw a scrap on her left knee but that was it. She had on a dark washed skirt, a pair of black and white chuck/converses shoes and a black tank top that lacked in the front. I must’ve kept my eyes longer on the loosely tied strings on her chest that planned.
“Late to work is what I am,” she glanced down at her watch and turned away.
“Well, wait can I drive you to wherever you need to go?” I asked and she just threw her hand up in the air, flashed this brilliant white smile and disappeared across the street, right into a café. Still thinking about how mysterious this girl was I had zoned out. That was until about a hundred cars began honking at me. Okay, so maybe not a hundred but it seemed like it by the way people were laying on their horns.
“Okay okay!” I yelled holding my hands up and getting into my car. I put it into first gear and began driving. It wasn’t until I drove past the book store that I remembered that I was supposed to be there for my destination for the day.
“She’s just a normal girl Carter, stop thinking about her.” I turned down the next street so I could go to the back parking lot of the book store. I parked my car and realized as I reached for my key in the ignition, my hands were shaking. The whole almost running over a pedestrian shook me up more than I had thought. I took in a deep breath and let it out slowly and then opened my door. I stepped out into the humid air, wishing I had worn shorts instead of jeans but thankful I had a short sleeved shirt on. I hit the lock button on my key and headed for the book store.
“I almost ran over a woman,” I said out loud and thought of Brian at that moment. I pulled my phone out and, hit my send button because I had called Brian the night before and hit the green button again. “Pick up,” I said on the first ring, so maybe I was a little impatient but I had to get this off my mind. “Let’s GO BRIAN!” I yelled.
“Whoa what’s up?” A voice broke up my tantrum.
“Sorry, I just didn’t want to talk to your voicemail.”
“What’s wrong Nick?” Brian as good at sensing when something was bothering me.
“I almost ran over this amazing girl.
“Huh? How about explaining from the beginning Nick.” I could picture Brian rolling his eyes and trying not laugh at that moment. ‘Over a girl’ he would say.
“I was driving downtown to get to the book store and-”
“Bookstore Nick?”
“I’m serious, I wanted to start some reading. But yeah, then out of nowhere this chick crossed and boom, she’s on the ground and I almost sort of did hit her.”
“What? How bad?”
“She got up and walked away. Wouldn’t let me get her an ambulance or take her anywhere. She just jogged across the street into this café where I’m guessing she works.”
“Wow.”
“Yeah and she already had this cast on her arm and I really wanted her to get checked over but wouldn’t have any of it. I’m thinking of after the bookstore I’ll go into that café, get some lunch and just make sure she’s okay.”
“That sounds like a good plan. A cast on her arm huh? Looks like she’s a klutz, stay away, you have enough of your own clumsy problems.”
“Hey I’ve been doing really well.”
“Yeah that was until you almost ran over an innocent girl.”
“Brian I needed to talk to someone about this, not make me feel worse than I already do.”
“I’m sorry man. Are you alright though, for real?”
“I am. I just had to get this off my chest.”
“Okay well, I’m going to Leigh’s parents with Bailey for the day. Call me if you need anything.”
“Thanks Brian, say hello to everyone.”
“Of course I will. Later.”
“Bye.”
I shoved my phone back into my pocket and walked into the book store, with the girl still on my mind. An hour later I came out with Michael Connelly’s “The Scarecrow.” Seemed like something I could get into, a crime-novel. I made my way back to my car, tossed the book onto the passenger seat and started my car. My mind was on the blonde haired, blue eyed girl at the café. I know, she may seem like the “typical” girl I’d date but there’s something much deeper about this one. I paralleled park on the street, the one right across from where I almost made road kill out of a beautiful girl and looked at “Café a La Mode.” I stepped out, pushed my sunglasses on top of my head and took another deep breath. It seemed to calm me down.
“Here goes nothing Carter,” yes I pepped talked myself and headed in for the café.
Chapter 2 by openarmsgirl
Okay, so where did I leave off? Oh, right I was about to go into the café to check on my dream girl. The girl that I wouldn’t learn until much later, just how much of a pain in the ass she really would be. So, there I was, debating about going in, I don’t know why I felt nervous. Perhaps part of me was nervous to see if she was still there standing on her two feet and alive. The other, afraid she’d think I was just a complete ass for running her over, okay almost running her over.
I opened the door, a tiny bell above rang and I stepped inside the small café. I’d never been there before and laughed at myself lightly how I’d live in Tampa for years before moving to LA and still was learning.
I looked around and the long legged girl I had been looking for was standing on her two feet and alive. I breathed a sigh of relief. “Is it just you today sir?” Another female’s voice broke my thoughts.
“Uh-yeah. Just me. Would it be alright if I sat over on that side?” My eyes looked over to the girl.
“Ahh, I see. A friend of Ella’s?” The woman asked carrying a menu and walking over to a table by the window.
“We just sort of bumped into each other today,” I shrugged and sat down.
“Well, enjoy your meal.” She smiled and walked away. I opened the menu and began looking it over.
“Can I get you something to drink while you decide?” Her voice, Ella’s, made my head snap up.
“I-um-”
“What are you doing here?” She asked surprised.
“I was hungry?” I told her. She put her hand on her hip and raised an eye brow.
“And I wanted to make sure you were really alright. I feel horrible for earlier today. I should’ve been more careful.”
“As should I. I’m the one who just ran across not looking.”
“I’m glad you’re alright,” I smiled her.
“It’s nice of you to check up on me. Your lunch is on me today,” she winked.
“Not necessary. I’ll have a diet coke and chicken Caesar salad.”
“I’ll get that right in,” she took the menu and bounded off. I couldn’t help but watch her move from table to table and was impressed at how fast she was able to deliver the food to the tables with one arm.
“Here is your coke and your salad should be out in a couple minutes. Anything else?”
“No, not yet. By the way I’m Nick, I held out my hand and Ella held out her left hand.”
“Ella,” she smiled.
“Beautiful name,” I told her and she took her hand back.
“Thanks. I’ll go check on your order.” I watched her turn around and before she reached the kitchen a guy walked up to her. He wore a business suite and put both hands on her shoulders and pressed his lips to hers.
I noticed she didn’t return the gesture and looked almost annoyed. “What are you doing here?” She asked trying to walk away.
“I came to see my girl at work. I’ll have a burger and coke.” He slapped her ass and she rolled her eyes and walked away. The guy took the imitative to sit down at the counter, across from where I was. So she had a boyfriend, or an annoying ex. Either way, I wasn’t too worried. A couple minutes later Ella brought my salad out in front of me and I thanked her. She pulled a half smile and I noticed how fast her mood had changed. She asked if I needed anything else and again, I said “no, not right now,” I tried to sound mischievous.
She walked away and went to another table to clear some plates. After returning from the kitchen the guy, let’s call him douche bag, took her by the elbow of her casted arm. I saw her flinch and it took everything in me not to stand up and walk over to the guy right then and there and find out what his problem was.
“Stop flirting with that guy over there every time you go to his table. I think you should have Jean take his table. I don’t like the way he looks at you.”
“Please Anthony,” she rolled her eyes. “Stop being ridiculous, he’s a customer.”
“I don’t care.”
“Why did you come all the way down here again to eat? To check up on me?”
“I love you, you know I miss you after not seeing you for a few hours. By the way, I’ll be late for dinner tonight. I have a meeting at five. Have your lunch break right now.”
“I can’t, I have tables.”
“Have someone take over them.”
“You know I need the money.”
“No you don’t, I provide you with everything. I don’t get why you keep this silly job.”
“Because you won’t pay for my dance school I’m trying to get in.”
I tried my best to keep my eyes on my now almost finished salad; but it really was like watching a train crash or whatever the saying is. She disappeared and came back with ‘douche bags’ burger and set it in front of him.
“Come on sunshine, order a lunch.”
“How about I just take a bite of yours.”
“You’re not putting this into that perfect body of yours. You know my metab is ten times faster than yours. Order your pretty little self a salad with dressing on the side.”
“How about I go back to work as should you.” She walked away, anger on her face and saw her speak to another waitress. From what I got out of it was that she was able to get another couple of tables to stay even busier. I finished my salad and was now pretending to look through my phone like was texting someone or looking busy.
“I’m so sorry it’s taken me forever to get back here. Can I get you anything else today?”
“Nope, just the check please.” I smiled as sincere as I could be.
“Alright here you are, I can take that up whenever you’re ready.” She put the check down and I read that there was a balance of zero dollars. I looked up at her with question.
“I told you I wasn’t charging you today.”
“You have a pen?” I asked. She looked at me funny and handed me it. I wrote down my name, Nick Carter and my phone number.
“Nick I have a boyfriend, as you can see he stopped over to see me today.”
“I see, but looks like you could use a friend and from the looks of it, I’m sorry to butt in but you can do better.”
“And what, date a rock star like you?” She had a playful smile on her face.
“You knew?”
“I’m not dense. And besides, we’ve been together for three years now, we’re good together…” Her voice trialed off.
“Right. Well, call me anytime you feel like you may need to be ran over again.”
“I may just do that,” she mumbled.
“I’m sorry?” I asked, hoping I miss understood the tone of her voice. It sounded as though she tried to jump in front my car the first time.
“We’ll see Backstreet Boy. Have a nice day, don’t go hitting anyone else.” She shoved the receipt into her pocket and took my empty salad plate. I pulled out my wallet and threw a twenty on the table and got up. As I walked down the café I felt ‘douche bags’ eyes burn a hole through me. I smiled and nodded my head towards him, just to piss him off.
“Have a nice day Ella,” I said in spite and walked out the door.
I left things there for a while, hoping that Ella would take the chance and call me. So maybe I have given my number to girls with boyfriends before and maybe they have always called me even if they did have one but the fact she didn’t call me told me she was different. This only turned me on for her more and I wanted to get to know her in every way.
“Give it up Carter, she’s not into you. You made your move; the girl has a boyfriend move on.” A.J. told me as we listened to some tracks that were given to us to start planning for our new album.
It had been two weeks since the day I ran into the girl of my dreams literally. Why do I keep saying girl of my dreams when I don’t even know her? I’m not sure. You’d think the bit of the attitude she has, the loner look, the black nail polish, she’d be A.J.’s dream woman.
“Let’s get lunch,” I said with an idea popping in my head.
“Yeah, I’m getting hungry. Where do you want to go? Applebee’s, Olive Garden?”
“I have a better place,” I said with a smirk and we stood up to go out to the cars. I drove A.J. and I down Main Street Tampa and parallel parked my car in front of “Café a La Mode.”
“What’s this? I said I was hungry, not wanting coffee.”
“Relax Jay. They have sandwiches, soups, salads and burgers.”
“Alright,” A.J. agreed and climbed out of my Jaguar. I hit the lock button and we walked in. The little bell danced over our heads as the door opened and closed and a long legged, blonde haired, black nail polished woman appeared before us.
“Hi welcome to-oh, Hi,” she smiled and picked up two menus. “Right this way,” she turned and A.J. looked at me with question and we followed Ella to the back.
Chapter 3 by openarmsgirl
Ch.3
“What can I get you two Backstreet Boys for drinks today?” She asked.
“I’ll have a diet coke.” I told her.
“Iced tea please,” A.J.’s raspy voice told her and Ella walked away. “Is that her?” He asked picking up on everything.
“That’s her Jay.” I sighed.
“She’s hot.”
“I know.”
“She doesn’t seem your type. She’s rough Nick.”
“Yeah, but there’s just something about her.”
“Here you guys are, need a few more minutes to look over the menu?” Ella asked. Her hair was pulled up messy again; she wore an argyle black and gray tank top and a pair of black jeans with her converse shoes.
“No more cast?” I asked her, pointing out the obvious.
“No more cast.” She held out her arm. “I heel fast.”
“Ella, this is Alex, or you know him as A.J.”
“Nice to meet you Backstreet Boy number two. When do I get to meet the rest of ya’ll,” she winked.
“Eh,” I shrugged.
“So what can I get you two?”
“I’ll have the tuna on rye.”
“And for you Alex?”
“A cheese burger, no mayo.”
“Got it.” She smiled and walked off to the kitchen.
“I don’t get it; she seems to be into you.”
“Boyfriend though.”
“Hasn’t stopped you before.”
“Why do you think I’m here?” I asked. We continued to make small talk, mostly about the upcoming album. Which songs we liked, which ones we hated and how we wanted to put more of our own stuff in.
“Speaking of her boyfriend,” I jolted my chin up quick and took a bite of the sandwich Ella brought just a minute before.
“He’s here?”
“I think he comes every day.” I pointed out. Giving it a minute, A.J. turned a little in his chair and looked for ‘douche bag.’
“Business guy.” A.J. said looking back at me and putting ketchup on his fries.
“Yeah. Doesn’t quiet seem to fit huh?”
“Not at all. Then again, you dated Paris.” A.J. joked and I shot him a look.
“How are we doing guys, need anything else?”
“No, I think we’re all set thanks,” I told her.
“Okay, would you like your check then?”
“Sure,” Alex said and Ella tore off a slip from her pad and put it on the table.
“Take your time,” her voice was flatter and she walked away briskly.
“Same thing happened last time,” I told A.J. and took out my wallet. I took out two twenties; the bill was fifteen-thirty two.
“You think it’s because of suit?”
“Yeah.” I put the twenties down on top of the bill. A minute later Ella came back.
“I’ll get you change.”
“We’re all set, but you have a pen?” I asked trying to keep from smiling.
“Yeah,” she shook her head knowing and handed me a pen. I wrote my name and number on the bill and handed her back the pen.
“Keep your head up will you, you’re much prettier when you show confidence.” I winked and stood up from the table.
“Nice to meet you,” A.J. told her and we walked away before Ella did. I made point to make eye contact with ‘douche bag.’ We got into my car and I let out a sigh, starting the car.
“Nick I’d be careful, this looks like a touch relationship.”
“I can’t let this one go though. I feel drawn.” As I was about to put the car into gear I jumped when I heard a bang on my window. I was surprised when I saw ‘douche bag’s’ fists pounding. I rolled down my window.
“Can I help you?” I asked annoyed that he touched my car the way he did. He then tossed a crumpled piece of paper at me.
“Stay away from her! You’ve been warned.” He slammed his hands on the car again and walked back inside. It was the receipt from lunch, with my number on it.
“You’re not going to listen are you?” Alex asked.
“I feel too involved.”
I kept my window down and put my car into gear and pulled away. “That guys could seriously mess you up. I don’t care how much you work out these days. He’s huge.”
“I don’t care.”
“Nick stay away for a while.”
“For a little bit.”
We went back to my place for a little bit, listened to a few more tracks and when A.J. left all I could do was think about Ella. I mean what did I know about this girl? She liked Emo style I suppose, but she made it her own so it worked. She waitressed, but had this smart wit about her and was saving up for a dance school, did he hear correctly? She dated a complete ass hole and was the car incident an accident? It was on my part completely but on Ella’s? Something didn’t settle right. I got up and decided to go for a run. I changed into a gray tee shirt, a pair of North Carolina basket ball shorts and tied up my New Balance sneakers. I took my phone, keys and a water bottle from the fridge.
I headed out of the gated area and away from the large neighborhood but safe and headed toward Main Street. It was a little after five o’clock and I assumed since Ella served lunch time, I didn’t think she would be working another shift. But come on, doesn’t mean I shouldn’t look for myself. I made the mile run in seven minutes, yes seven. These days I’m in amazing shape and have my life in order finally. I really should walk this way more; such a waste of gas honestly.
I went to the cross walk to make sure there wouldn’t be any more re-occurrences of a couple weeks ago. I pressed the cross walk button and waited for the white person to light up. I looked both ways when it flashed and then jogged across.
It took me a lot less time to get to the café than planned. I was more shocked when Ella walked out of the café. I picked up my jogging pace and continued to go forward, pretending I didn’t see her.
“Nick?” I heard my voice and was thankful I didn’t have my Ipod in. How would I explain that one? I have super human hearing powers? I turned around, looked around and then finally met my eyes on Ella.
“Ella? Hey there, what a surprise.” I jogged back toward her.
“What are you doing, stalking me?”
“Maybe, that and running.” I smiled
“I see.” She didn’t believe it, yet this girl didn’t seem to have a problem with it.
“You just get done with work or on a break?”
“Getting out earlier than planned.”
“Oh?” I asked and noticed a bruise on her right cheek that was not there when I came earlier that afternoon. “Care to go for a walk?”
“I should really head home.” She glanced at her watch.
“Just down and around the pier over there,” I told her.
“Alright,” she sighed, and slung her bag over her shoulder.
“Good day at work?” I asked making small talk.
“It was alright, typical day. Dealt with rude customers, bossy customers, famous boy band customers,” she grinned not making eye contact.
“Yeah but at least the boy band customers weren’t rude or bossy.”
“No not at all. Kinda sweet and cute,” she put her hands into her pockets as she walked. We rounded the corner and walked up the pier that over looked the bay.
“I’m sorry if I got you in trouble with your boyfriend today.”
“Don’t be, he’s just over obsessive with me.” Her voice didn’t seem to be joking as we leaned against the railing and over looked the water. “So tell me Nick, what keeps bringing you back to me?”
“You’re just an intriguing girl.”
“I need more.”
“I almost ran you over and you walked away without a care.”
“I’ve had worse happen, I’m was fine.”
“Worse happen?”
“How about we stick to you. You’re more interesting.”
“Okay,” I didn’t want to press things. “What do you want to know?”
“You live around here?”
“About two miles away.”
“You still a band?”
“We just finished a European tour, going to be starting our next album soon.”
“No girlfriend?”
“Not yet,” I playfully nudged her.
“You don’t give up.”
“Not for what I believe in.”
“And what is that?”
“I believe we were meant to find each other for some reason.”
“Because you ran into me?”
“Yes. Anything else?”
“Hmm, no not yet.”
“My turn. You want to be a dancer?”
“I am a dancer, I just want to be more professional with it.”
“So why don’t you?”
“Because my boyfriend doesn’t agree I should be a dancer. He says I may as well be a stripper.” I was taken back at her words, they were sharp and full of hurt.
“What kind of dancing do you do?”
“Ballet, lyrical and hip hop.”
“I don’t hear the words pole, chair or lap in those.” I said as a matter-of-fact. Ella laughed a little and it felt good to make her laugh. I had this feeling that she didn’t get to laugh much.
“It’s just a dream, but Anthony makes enough to support me and he’s constantly telling me to quit the café that I’m wasting my time. Which I probably am since even if I do save up enough money to do something with my dancing; I won’t be allowed.”
“I don’t mean to offend you but you don’t seem like the type of girl who puts up with bullshit or listens to what other people think or say.”
“I don’t but-”
“But what Ella?” I found myself inching closer to her.
“I’m sorry Nick. You seem really nice but I have to go. You probably shouldn’t come around the café any more while I’m working.”
“Ella wait,” I grabbed her arm and she flinched with fear. I pulled my hand back. “You don’t have to be with him. I’m not saying you have to be with me, but you deserve so much better.” Her eyes looked up from her feet up to my eyes.
“You don’t understand. I’m pretty much sworn to Anthony. Don’t waste your time with me.”
“I’m not, I want to help you.”
“You can’t. I’m fine, things get rough time to time but I love him and he does love me.”
“So we can’t be friends?”
“Good bye Nick.” She turned and briskly walked away and got into a cab. I felt more confused and upset over the situation than before I left for the run. Like I said before, I was involved now and there was no going back.
Chapter 4 by openarmsgirl
“How’s the dream girl catch coming along Nicky?” Brian asked me over the phone.

“I don’t want to catch her Brian.”

“I know you want to help her. But like A.J. told you, it’s best to stay away. It sounds like things between her and her boyfriend are complicated. It’s not your place.”

“Why did she open up to me about how he felt about her dancing and him being obsessive with her?”

“You were there at the right time, you were just an ear.”

“I don’t believe it.”

“Well, make sure you’re taking care of yourself there. We’re going to the Bahamas do some writing and picking out songs in a month!”

“I know, I’m stoked. Alright B, I’m going to go grocery shopping. I’ll talk to you later.”

“Later Nick.” I hung up the phone and got up from my bed. I had been rather lazy the last couple of days, catching up on my game playing and some TV show’s. I ordered pizza last night, and felt guilty considering how healthy I had been eating and taking care of my body.

I went down into my kitchen and looked through my fridge and the cupboards; taking note of what I may need. “Pretty much everything Carter,” I said out loud to myself and grabbed my keys off the counter. I went out to the garage, hopped into my car and opened the garage door. I drove down to the nearest Publix and parked my car the furthest away I thought was necessary. Yes, I am one of those guys.

I got out of my car, hit my lock button like always and walked inside. It wasn’t too busy, considering it was a Wednesday. Most people tended to do their shopping on Sunday’s and Monday’s. I took a shopping cart and began pushing it. I picked up some fresh fruit and fixings to make salads and rounded the corner to where the breads were. Whole grains and wheat. No more white bread for this guy…unless it’s pasta with Italian bread. A weakness. I sound like a girl, I know but hey you get one body, better take care of it.

I tossed the bread into my basket, ever so carefully, alright more like a basket ball. I then pushed my cart around to the next isle when I slammed into something. “Sorry,” I muttered and looked up to see what soccer Mom I ran into with my cart.

“We have to stop meeting like this,” Ella’s voice laughed.

“Hey!” I said way too perky. “Sorry, wasn’t watching where I was going.”

“Typical.”

“Come on, not fair.”

“You’re right, this was a mutual one. How are you Nick?”

“Great, just shopping for some food since I’m all out. I see you’re doing the same.”

“Yup, ever Wednesday like clock work. My day off, I get up, run, dance, clean, grocery shop, make dinner and that’s my day.”

“Healthy eater I see.”

“Well, for dance and for Anthony, I mean he likes me healthy, er, he likes to eat healthy.” She tried to cover up what she really meant but I knew how Anthony felt about her eating unhealthy. I wondered if he expected to look great all the time. Which, honestly, I don’t know if it’s possible for her not to look great all the time.

“Where do you dance and run?”

“I run to dance since I don’t have a car. Great cardio warm up and I go to this small studio about three miles away from my house. It’s for kids but during the day Wednesday’s there aren’t classes. I just practice by myself.”

“Anna Maria’s Dance studio?”

“Yeah, you know of it?”

“Smallest dance studio I know. Most of them are larger ones. Anna Maria actually taught us before Fatima came into the picture.”

“Wow, that must’ve been a while ago. It’s owned by her daughter Marie now, Anna passed away two summers ago.”

“That’s too bad.” I made a mental note to tell the fellas the news later. “So no car?”

“Nope, Anthony has one, he says I should just stay home and when we’re married be a stay at home Mom and then I can get the soccer Mom van or SUV.” She rolled her eyes and pushed the cart.

“Let me give you a lift with your groceries so you don’t have to catch a cab then.”

“Thank you that won’t be necessary.”

“Let me please. Finish your shopping, I’ll meet you up front in fifteen-twenty minutes?”

“Well, alright thank you. Yeah I don’t need more than twenty minutes. Got here about five minutes before running into you.”

“See YOU ran into me this time.”I smirked and pushed my cart off to get some cereal.

Within fifteen minutes, I completed my shopping, perhaps the fastest I’ve ever done. Maybe it was because I was a little excited to spend more time with Ella. I went through the cashier line, dumped my groceries the fastest as possible out and then waited at the front. Two minutes later, Ella pushed her bagged groceries and smiled.

She was wearing a pair of black yoga pants, that fitted her curves ever so nicely and a low cut army looking tank top and a pair of black flip flops.

“Ready?” She asked.

“Yes Ma’m.” I guided her out to my car and she let out a low whistle.

“No wonder my boyfriend hates you, you’re car is hotter than his Mustang.”

“It gets me from A to B,” I opened the trunk and put my groceries on one side and loaded Ella’s in on the other. We pushed our carts to the cart home or whatever it is they sit under and we got into the car.

“So where is home?”

“Head back towards Main and you’ll be a right at second light.”

“Cool.” I said starting the car. “How’d you get that bruise on your cheek?” I asked looking straight ahead on the road.

Her hand covered her cheek and she thought about what to say. “Come on Nick, from what you know of me so far, you know I’m an accident waiting to happen.”

“Right,” I said not believing her.

“How is your vacation going?”

“Pretty good, getting some stuff done around the house, hanging with some friends I haven’t seen in a while. I think this weekend I’m going to have a pool party, would you like to come? You can bring dou-Anthony with you if you’d like,” that was a close one Carter.

“That sounds like fun; Anthony is going away on a business trip to California. He fly’s there like every other weekend if not more. I’ll check my work schedule.”

“Perfect. Jay will be there as will Howie probably. Bring any friends you want.”

“I have this one girlfriend, not many friends around here. Home is in North Carolina,” she sounded almost sad as she mentioned it.

“Well, is this one girlfriend single and as hot as you?”

“Yes and no.”

“Good answer.” I replied as I hit Main Street. Ella directed me to where her house was, she was in a nice neighborhood and was surprised at the fact she didn’t have many friends considering how close houses were. They were decent sized homes, three stories high. I pulled into the drive way, killed the engine and popped the trunk. Ella climbed out and went to unlock her front door and I began unloading the trunk. I was able to get six of her ten bags; she went and gathered the rest. I followed inside her immaculate home and into the kitchen.

“Beautiful house,” I told her.

“Thanks,” her voice was flat and held no interest on the matter. “Just put those on the counter, thanks.” She put her own bags down on another counter and walked over to the answering machine. She hit the play button and leaned against the counter.

“Ella, I’m going to be home late tonight. Make yourself something light to eat tonight and I’ll see you in the morning. I love you. End of messages.”

“So one less thing you have to do on your day off,” I told her trying to look at the positive.

“Yeah, it’s usually once a week he has to stay late at the office and the weekends he’s gone.”

“Would you care for some company for a while?”

“Won’t your groceries get funny in your car?” Damn didn’t think of that, I did buy milk and yogurt and eggs.

“I can come back.”

“Alright, I’ll make us dinner. You like fish?”

“Love it. I’ll be back in an hour?”

“Sounds good.” I nodded and turned back the way I came and went back to my car. I got in and like an excited school boy I drove home faster than I should’ve.

“It’s not a date Carter. She’s living with her boyfriend of three years…three years of hell most likely.” I said out loud to myself. Once home, I opened the garage and quickly emptied my bags. I bought enough for a little over a week. I learned that if you go grocery shopping every five days or so or more than you’re more likely to buy fresh produce and stuff.

I ran up stairs, checked my hair, spitzed my cologne on, checked my arms for odor and brushed my teeth one more time. “It’s not a date,” I said again. “But it could be.” I bounded back down the stairs and into my car. Like I had promised, I was back at her house in an hour.
~*~*~*~
“Dinner was great, let me help you with the dishes.” I said getting up, I took her plate and mine and walked into the kitchen.

“You’re the guest you don’t have to.”

“Please, look’s like you do enough around this house. I can do some dishes.” I washed them by hand and Ella dried them off. We placed left over’s into a plastic container and into the fridge.

“I’d offer dessert but I don’t eat it so I don’t have anything. Would you like a beer or anything?”

“Let’s go,” I took her hand and headed for the door.

“Where are we going Nick?” She asked.

“Grab your house key and let’s go.” She reached for the counter where her keys were and followed me outside. I began walking down the drive way and skipped to catch up.

“You’re being weird.”

“No, you’re the weird one for not eating dessert. Do you not like it?”

“No I have a pretty strong sweet tooth.”

“Well, okay then.” We went down a block and made it back to Main street. I took us to Scoops and stopped to look at the selections.

“Ice cream?”

“You don’t like ice cream?”

“I do, probably biggest weakness of mine.”

“What other weaknesses do you have?”

“Hmm, beaches and thunderstorms, but not together all the time.” I cocked an eye brow and looked at her. “What kind of ice cream are you getting?” She asked me.

“I think I’ll go for the cookie dough tonight, and yourself?”

“Hmm, I should just get a sorbet. No fat and less calories.”

“What’s your favorite kind of ice cream.”

“Ben and Jerry’s Phish Food, but since they don’t have that then muddy sneakers.”

“I’ll take two small ice cream cones, one muddy sneakers and one, cookie dough, please,” I told the teenager and handed her a ten.

“Nick, you should’ve gotten a kiddie size for me!” Her voice was exasperated.

“Please, indulge yourself.” I was handed the cone and I handed it to Ella.

“Thanks,” she said sheepishly. I got my change and took my cone and we made our way to a bench. “I’m going to have to make sure I work out for an extra hour tomorrow.”

“As opposed to how many hours?”

“Two.”

“Do you mind me telling you something?”

“No,” she took a small bite of her ice cream. “I’ve kept you around for as long as I have despite how personal you keep getting.” That was a true statement.

“Why do you worry about your weight so much? You’re beautiful and in amazing shape. Girls would kill for your body.”

“Partly because of dance…” She licked her cone slowly. Maybe this wasn’t the best time for this subject, who knows the girl could have an eating disorder for all I knew.

“And the other part?”

“I don’t want you thinking I’m any less of a person or can’t be my own mind.”

“I wouldn’t ever. I’m still getting to know you.”

“Exactly.”

“Ella, tell me.”

“To stay the way I was when Anthony and I first met. He fell for me when I was in my best top shape and I’m determined to keep it that way so he doesn’t fall out of love for me.”

I thought for a moment, it made sense, there seemed to be more to it than she was leading on but I wouldn’t push for any more. I nodded my head and licked the outside of my ice cream.

“You’re not going to say anything more?” She asked almost challenging me.

“Nope. Want a bite?” I put my cone in front of her face. She looked at me as though was going to say something but then took a bite; and pushed her cone in front of my face. I took a bite from the top and had to admit it was pretty good ice cream.

“Why doesn’t a famous singer like yourself have a girlfriend?”

“You forgot good looking in there.” I added with a cocky grin. “Haven’t met the right person. I bounced from girl to girl and wasn’t taking care of myself. A lot of partying, drinking, drugs…I was pretty much killing myself. I finally put myself first and took the initiative to get myself back into shape.”

“Good for you.”

“Yeah, it was a lot more than just physically though,” I looked at her trying to make a point. “A lot was emotional.”

“Hmm,” she nodded staring out into space. I noted that her hair was down; it hung right below her chin. She really did have striking features, a great jaw line, dimples that wanted to show off her kid side she seemed to hide.

“Why are you with him if he doesn’t make you happy Ella?” I kept my voice a sincere as possible. She sucked in a sharp breath, held it for what seemed forever and let it out slowly. I watched her chest rise and sink a little faster with each breath; almost as though we were nervous.

“I have no one else and I do love him…”

“What do you mean you have no one else?” I didn’t hesitate the question, it felt right to ask.

“My parents are dead, my brother is dead, my aunt that took care of after my parents died is in a nursing home and may as well as be dead. She has Alzheimer’s. Like I said before my friends are in North Carolina.” ‘Careful Nick, touchy subject, don’t scare her off,’ I told myself.

“How does Anthony fit into all that Ella?”

“He was my brother’s best friend…they grew up together, they went into the army together, they went to Iraq together…” She paused for a moment. “Anthony came home without Cameron.” Her voice was angry, her eyes seemed to become a brighter blue as they filled with pools of tears. She blinked her eyes a bunch of times and the tears were gone.

“I’m sorry about your family Ella. You feel like you owe your brother?” She nodded her head and she looked down at her ice cream. I knew she lost her appetite five minutes ago and I took it carefully from her hands. I threw our cones away, and put my hand on the small of her back. “Let’s head home?”

“Yeah.” She responded and I was afraid to speak. Of course I had more questions and I honestly hadn’t been expecting her to let me in as much as she did this evening. We walked home in silence but it wasn’t an awkward silence. It was very comfortable and we enjoyed each other’s presences; letting the quiet give us room to think. When I walked her up to her door we stopped at the front light, as if we were on a date from high school.

“Ella, if you ever just want to talk or get away, I’d like to be a friend.” I pulled her in for a hug and I felt her body tense up at first but then gave in after a few seconds. Her arms squeezed me tighter and it seemed as though she didn’t want to let go. “You want me to give you my number again since how someone threw it back to me?”

“I have it.” She told me with a smile and I looked at her with a funny expression. “From the first day we met, you wrote it on your receipt. It’s in my cell.”

“Alright good. Well, if I don’t hear from you for the rest of the week, have a good one and I’ll see you this Saturday!”

“Thank you Nick.”

“You’re welcome Ella.” I smiled and turned around to get into my car. The sun was almost set and I felt as though I had a small skip to my walk as I got into my car. I waved goodbye one more time and pulled out.
‘Brian and Jay are right,’ I said out loud to myself. ‘She’s a mess Carter but so undeniable. Could it be fate?’

Realizing I was talking to myself again, I turned my radio up and tried to concentrate on Britney Spears song, “Circus” that was way over played considering it came out in what January? But no, the long legged, blonde hair, blue eyed, guarded soul and locked up heart dream girl, stays imprinted in my mind.
‘What are you doing to do Carter, what can you do?'
Chapter 5 by openarmsgirl
“Relax Nick, if she said she was coming she’s coming,” Howie told me taking a swig from his Bud Light Lime.

“I haven’t spoken to her since Wednesday.”

“If she does come what are you going to do? It’s not like you can get with her.”

“I don’t want to get with her man. I actually want to be friends with her.” It was at that moment my phone vibrated in my pocket and I took it out. It was from a number I didn’t know and I answered it.

“Hello?” I answered.

“Hey Nick its Ella.”

“HEY!” Too desperate, relax Carter. “What’s going on?” I asked. Good much more casual.

“I was wondering if you’re still having that party today?”

“Yeah, I have a few here now. You still want to come over?”

“Yeah, I’m with my girlfriend Sammy.”

“Excellent, bring her a long.”

“Okay how do I get to your place?” Our conversation ended with me giving her directions and her telling me she’d be over in a while. I hung up with a smile glued to my face.

“I take that stupid grin on your face as a sign someone is coming?” A.J. asked.

“She is.”

“Nice.”

“I’m going to go and um, yeah I’ll be back.” I took off into my house to change my shirt. Who was I kidding; I was acting like a girl and even felt a little nervous to see her.

I finally settled on a blue collared shirt with my khaki shorts that covered my swim trunks.
I made sure the fridge was still stocked with beverages; beer, water and soda. I had snack bowls placed around the house and out on the patio by the pool and was going to cook up some burgers for later. I heard a buzz at the gated entrance and I went to the intercom. I pressed the open button and went to the front door to see who it was.

A red Toyota Corolla was parked on the side of the driveway and a brown haired short pixy like girl stepped out and Ella was in the passenger seat. It looked like she was on her phone and it was a minute before she got out. I watched as she threw her hand up in the air and she spoke into the phone. She did not look very happy. The minute she stepped out of the car though, it was as though she had never been on the phone.

Ella smiled brightly, her dimples driving me crazy as they always did. She tossed a large Tinker Bell beach bag over her shoulder and walked up to me. She sported a short white skirt and a pink and white camo tank top. A pair of white flip flops were on her feet and her hair was let down.

“Hey Nick!” She greeted with a bubbly smile. Something she didn’t show enough of. “This is Sammy. Sammy, Nick.”

“Nice to meet you,” I shook her hand.

“Likewise. Heard lots about you.” She winked and snapped her bubble gum.

“Hmm, that could be bad,” I stated eyeing Ella. “Come on everyone is out back,” I held my arm out to show which way and I followed.

“Beautiful home,” Ella told me looking up. “Why haven’t you been on MTV cribs?” She joked and we walked through the kitchen, out the sliding glass back door and to the patio.

“Well, they’ve asked but I turned them down. Not for this place, for my California home.”

“Ah, of course. The California home,” Sammy teased. “What were we thinking?” I had a feeling she was a spit fire and that we’d get a long just great. I kinda wished that Ella would be more relaxed; she always seemed to have her guard up.

We walked over to where Howie and his wife Leah were talking to Jay and my buddy John.

“Hey everyone, I’d like to introduce Ella and her friend Sammy. That’s Howie, his wife Leah, that there is A.J. or you can call him Alex or Jay and this is Johnny Boy.” Sammy shook hands with everyone and I saw as John reached his hand out to Ella she shuttered backwards.

“How about I get you two ladies a drink?” I asked to relieve any awkwardness.

“I’ll have a martini,” Sammy spoke up first.

“Ella?” I asked.

“Can I come with?” She bit her bottom lip and she seemed almost nervous.

“Of course,” I smiled and walked her into the kitchen to get the drinks.

“You alright?” I asked her as I watched her stare into space. She always seemed to have something on her mind.

“Hmm, yeah. Thanks for having me.”

“No problem. Did Anthony leave for the weekend?”

“Yeah, this morning…” Her voice trailed.

“What kind of drink would you like?” I held open the fridge.

“Bud light lime,” she spoke and I took two out, one for me and one for her. I think started mixing a martini for Sam. I was surprised at the long pull she took from the beer and impressed. She caught me staring and her cheeks flushed.

“Sorry, I never drink so when I do I tend to drink fast. I’ll be good, promise.”

“Hey you’re not driving, you can drink as much as you want,” I laughed and finished making the martini. We went back outside but not before grabbing a couple more beers. Sammy and Jay were in the pool together and a few of my other friends were around the radio talking. It was turning into a nice little party.

“Ella get your skinny butt in here, it’s awesome!” Sammy yelled and then Jay dunked her under. This could get interesting.

“Do you want to change into your suit?” I asked Ella.

“I have mine on.” She said finishing her beer. I took it from her, put it into a recycling bin and opened another for her. “Thanks.”

“Well, let’s go!” I took my shorts off, showing my white and blue Hawaiian print swim trunks.

“Umm-”

“Umm nothing."

I took my shirt off and she took another sip of her new beer and looked away hiding her smile. I then took her bottle from her, set it on a table and picked her up. She let out a small scream. “You have two choices. Choice one: you take your clothes off so you’re in your swim suit. Choice two: I throw you in like this.”

“Okay choice one! Put me down!” She laughed. I set her on the ground and she looked up at me hesitating. She first slipped off her skirt and then slowly pulled of her tank top; revealing a brown and white Roxy swimsuit.

I did my best to keep from staring but her legs looked even longer and as my eyes drew upward they stopped when they came to a purplish blue bruise just below her right ribs. A broken arm, a bruised cheek, now bruise on her ribs; I couldn’t help but wonder if Anthony had anything to do with these or if she were really that clumsy like she said she was.

“Ella,” I whispered to her. “What happened?” I gently traced my fingers over her soft skin and over the bruise. She flinched a little and again whispered, ’sorry.’

“Ran into the corner of a counter at work.” Her answer was quick, too quick?

“Ella, seriously?”

“Drop it Nick,” her voice was sharp and she made her way to the pool. She jumped in and as though the conversation never happen she as splashing around and playing with everyone else. I jumped in the pool making a big splash and ended up splashing a couple of girls that were sitting in lounge chairs.

We tossed around a beach ball back and forth trying to keep it from the water and goofed around for a while. A.J. declared he was hungry and we climbed out to start making dinner. Ella went inside to change into dry clothes and I started the grill up.

“She won’t admit to it.” Sammy’s voice came up to me and I looked at her trying to figure out what she was saying.

“Who won’t admit to what?” I asked confused.

“Ella. I know you were asking her about the bruise.”

“She said she ran into a counter.”

“Just like she fell over a pair of shoes at home and broke her wrist last month. If she fell, it would’ve been a compound fracture, not a spiral like someone pulled her.”

“Sam, do you know something?”

“I know she trusts you for some reason. She told me everything she’s talked to you about and it took me two years to get to know all of that. Ella acts tough; she puts on a front to protect herself. She’s fragile though, physically and mentally.”

“Has she told you she gets abused?”

“No. I’ve never seen it happen either but I’ve heard the verbal fights and how he puts her down. I guarantee you he’s not away on business. He’s away with another woman; but like she told you, she feels as though she owes it to her dead brother to be with this loser. Things have been getting worse though. I guess he flipped out when he found out you brought her home the other day from the grocery store.”

“Hey guys, brought you some beers!” Ella’s voice broke through and held three bottles. What were you two talking about?” She eyed Sam as she handed out the bottles.

“That you don’t eat burgers.” Sammy covered up.

“You don’t eat meat?”I asked taking a swig.

“Umm, I used to? Turkey burgers I eat.”

“You’re in luck, I have some!”

“I really shouldn’t, especially if I’m drinking,” she held up the bottle and I noticed her cheeks were flushed.

“You really should especially if you are drinking. What did you eat for lunch?”

“An apple.”

“Breakfast?”

“Yogurt.”

“I’ll be back with the burgers,” I told her and left the two.

“What were you telling him?” Ella asked Sam.

“Nothing, relax. Keep drinking; you’re more fun when you’re drunk. This will be my last one so enjoy yourself!” Sammy told her. “I’m going to go flirt with that sexy guy right over there,” she pointed over to A.J. and left Ella to herself.

When I came back out, she had both hands around the bottle and was looking around.

“Having fun?” I asked and tossed six burgers on the grill. “Hey D! Come cook before I burn them!” I yelled. A minute later Howie came over and took the flipper from me.

“Don’t let Nick cook you food, he’ll burnt them.”

“Just on the grill, I’m not very good at it yet. I just got it last year, but since I’m never home I never have practice.”

“Go ahead, I’ve got it Nick,” Howie winked at us. I know Howie wink, can you believe it?

“Thanks buddy,” I patted his back, took Ella’s hand into mine and almost shocked that she let me hold it, I guided us over to a couple of chairs. The sun was going down and the air was cooling off, but not much.

“So, having fun?” I asked again.

“I am. I can’t remember the last time I was able to just….” She searched for her words. “Have fun I guess,” she giggled. “I’m a total light weight, I’m sorry.” She laughed again and took another swig of her beer.

“Don’t apologize. Cheap date,” I wiggled my eyebrows. “I’m sorry for pressing things earlier, but I feel this need to protect you Ella. I worry about you and I know it’s crazy since we just met but it’s like I have this pull to you.” She looked down at her hands and spun the bottle in between them.

“I feel a need to let you protect me. I almost called you Wednesday night.”

“About what?”

“I just got into a fight with Anthony. He asked how I got home since I didn’t spend my cab money and I’m not one to lie so I told him. I didn’t tell him about dinner though. He ended up going out that night and got back home at like seven before he had to go to work the next day.”

“Ella, did he hit you?”

“Nick he really is a good guy. He’s lost a lot too you know? His best friend was killed right in front of him, my brother died in his arms and before Cameron passed, he told my brother to promise to marry me and take care of me.”

“Abusing you isn’t taking care of you Ella.”

“He doesn’t, he yells but he doesn’t hit me. I really am just clumsy.” I watched as her eyes looked back down at her drink and she took another long sip. She was lying but what could I say.

“You can call me whenever you need to Ella. Any time of the day or night.”

“Thanks Nick. I’m glad you ran into me,” she grinned. That brought up another question I had for her but didn’t want to bring it up yet.

A little while later, Howie had the burgers made and we were all sprawled out eating them. Ella sat next to me and was on her fifth or sixth beer of the day and was going on how she would love to dance for Madonna or Brittney Spears.

“Well, how about you try out for our next tour,” I told her and then reached my hand up to her face to wipe off some ketchup she had. I watched her flinch and back away, pushing my hand away hard.

“Don’t!” She yelled standing up.

“Hey, you have some ketchup on the corner of your lip I was going to get.” She brought her fingers to her mouth and rubbed the corner of her lips. She looked at her fingers and saw the ketchup.

“I-I’m sorry.” She set her plate down and walked away towards the house. Sammy looked at me trying to figure out what had happened. I quickly followed Ella and she had gone into the bathroom. I knocked on the door lightly.

“Ella, its Nick. Open up.”

“Just give me a minute,” her voice sounded shaky.

“Don’t hide from me. I’m sorry Ella.” I heard the door unlock but it didn’t open. I waited a couple more seconds and I turned the door knob slowly and pushed the door open. Ella was facing the mirror, her hands on the sink and her head down. I shut the door behind me and waited a minute before saying anything.

“You thought I was going to hit you?” I asked cautiously. She nodded her head and I heard her sniffle. I put my hands on her hips and gently spun her so she was facing me. I carefully put my thumb and forefinger on her chin and lifted her head up.

“I will NEVER hurt you, do you hear me?” My eyes stared into her tear full blue ones.

I could tell she was struggling to hold everything together, her bottom lip quivered and her breathing was deep and fast. I pulled her into my arms, her own arms wrapped around me and I heard her choke back a sob.

“Let it out, you don’t have to pretend with me.” I whispered. Her arms tightened around me and her face buried in my neck deeper. I felt my shirt get wet from her tears but I didn’t move. I kissed the top of her head and a few minutes later she pulled away and I handed her a tissue to dry her eyes.

“How do you do that?” She asked. I assumed she was referring to me getting her to open up.

“Just that good I guess.” I smiled.

“Thank you Nick.”

“Ella you need to leave him. He’s not good for you.”

“I-I can’t. I’ve tried before.”

“What happened?” I was almost afraid to know the answer.

“He threatened I’d be sorry…he got really drunk, took my car and totaled it. He was in a coma for a week, almost died. When he came to, he promised things would be better and they were for a while…”

“He needs help Ella and so do you.” She pulled away even further and he shook her head no.

“He’ll find me; he’ll guilt me into betraying my brother-”

“Your brother wouldn’t want you to live like this Ella! Look at you, afraid of people, covering bruises and making up lies. You want to dance and perform for people; I can see it in your eyes.” My hands were on her arms with a light grasp. She could easily break away and she knew it.

“I was not always this weak you know,” she blinked back more tears that threatened to fall.

“I don’t think you’re weak at all. I think you’re strong for what you’ve been through. But I think you need to realize that it is alright to let someone help. If not me then Sammy maybe.” My voice was much softer and I felt her body closer onto mine.

“I don’t want you to get hurt,” she told me, her eyes never leaving mine.

“I won’t get hurt. I want to keep you from getting hurt.” Alright so visualize this, the two of us in the bathroom like two girls. Except, my arms are now enclosed around her small frame, our faces inches away and eyes darting from eyes to lips. “Will you let me help you get out of this?”

“I have nowhere else to go.”

“Stay with me.”

“Nick I-”

“He doesn’t know where I live. We’ll pack your things tomorrow; he doesn’t get back till Sunday night right?”

“Yeah but-”

“But nothing. You can have your own room and everything until your back on your feet.”

“Why are you doing this?”

“I told you, I feel like I need to protect you. I’m drawn to you and until I know you’re safe, I won’t be able to sleep at night.” Our fingers intertwined.

“I’m drawn to you too Nick…” Her voice was a whisper and just before our faces met there was a knock on the door.

“Everything okay in there?” A.J.s raspy voice boomed.

“Yeah be right out!” I called and rolled my head back in annoyance. “Sorry,” I told her.

“It’s okay,” she smiled. “Let’s go back out. My buzz is killed and I need another drink.”

“Sounds perfect,” I kissed her cheek. “I promise, you’re going to be okay.”

“I know I will be,” she leaned into me and hugged me before we opened the door to go back out to the party.
Chapter 6 by openarmsgirl
The next day, I woke up…alone in my own bed thank you very much. I did have almost everyone spend the night however.

Ella slept in one guest room; I believe Sammy and Jay slept ahem in another guest room. Howie and the wiffey went home at some point after the bon fire. All in all, we had a really great time; after the break down Ella had in the bathroom. But I’m seriously not complaining. For her to open up to me the way she did was huge and it took our relationship to an entire new level.

It was almost eleven when I rolled out of bed, I’m sure I showed off the craziness of the previous night. Hair sticking every which way, eyes not quite fully open, who wouldn’t want me? I went into my bathroom, yawned and started the water for my shower. I had a slight headache from the alcohol, it had been months since I last drink and I felt that last night was much needed. Nothing that a gallon of water couldn’t cure.

I brushed my teeth to rid the staleness of the beer and chips I stuffed my face with last night. I felt the sudden urge to hit up the gym but wouldn’t have time today. Today, we would be moving Ella out of her world of hell. I stripped my boxers off and stepped into the steaming hot shower and welcomed it gratefully. Fifteen minutes later, I was showered, fresh and dressed for the day. I went downstairs where I heard banging around in my kitchen. A.J. was going through the cupboards and looked as though he were trying to make breakfast. Ella and Sammy sat at the counter.

“Good morning,” I said and took a water bottle from the fridge, my eyes making their way on Ella. Her knees were pulled up to her chest, her hair tucked behind her ears a little messy but cute. “How did you sleep?” I asked her.

“Good. I can’t remember the last time I slept in past seven and I got up at nine thirty!” She smiled brightly. “Thanks for the toothbrush and extra clothes last night again.”

“No problem. A.J making you breakfast?”

“No the woman won’t eat. She took a banana and juice and said she was good.” He said annoyed cracking another egg.

“We are going to be busy today. You should eat a little more.” I told her and took a seat next to her.

“I’m fine, thank you. I don’t eat more than a yogurt usually for breakfast.”

“Alright. Jay what do you have planned for today?” I asked.

“Helping us,” Sammy spoke up from reading a magazine that was on the counter.

“Yeah?” I asked

“Why not. Nothing else to do.”

“Good. So how much stuff do you have?”

“Really not a lot. I mean the furniture is all his pretty much. My clothes, some work out equipment, a book shelf, my lap top…” Her voice disappeared and I watched her hug her knees tighter.

“Hey, it’s going to be alright I promise.” I put a hand on her knee and rubbed it gently.

“I need to break up with him, or try to. I can’t just take all of my stuff out and have him come to an empty home.”

“Well, worry about that after we clear it all out. Alright?” She nodded her head and I knew she was still real apprehensive over it all. “Let’s eat and get moving though, it’s already eleven thirty.”

~*~*~*~*~

“Nick, thank you for everything you’ve done,” Ella told me as we sat at her kitchen drinking ice water. We had just spent the past four hours packing and loading up a moving van I had rented at the last minute. She didn’t have a lot of furniture but it was just easier to have her stuff in one vehicle rather than a few different ones. This way she could also keep it in my driveway and unload what she needed at a time.

“Stop thanking me. I wouldn’t have it any other way.” I told her standing up and moving closer to her side. “Did you figure out how you were going to tell him?”

“I think I need to do it face to face.”

“Ella, that’s not a good idea.”

“Nick, like I said, I appreciate everything you’ve done but this goes beyond the past few years. We were friends for so much longer and I just don’t know when everything went wrong. I suppose Cameron’s death had a lot…”

“I understand that but you can’t be alone with him.”

“I’ll call Sammy up, and I’ll tell him I’m just staying at a friend’s place and have her pick me up and bring me to your place after. He should be home in an hour.”

“Ella-”

“Please Nick.” Her eyes pleaded and her hands took mine. I let out a low sigh, looked down at our hands, brought her petite hands up to my lips and gently kissed them.

“Okay. But if you’re not at my place by eight-”

“I’m in big trouble I get it.” She then leaned forward and pecked my lips. I was taken back by total surprise and she was already on her way out the front door. I quickly followed her and she was leaning against the moving van.

“What was that?”

“Just a little thank you.” She winked at me. “Now go! I’ll see you tonight!”

“Okay okay. Call me if you need me to pick you up.”

“I’ll be fine.” I kept my gaze on her for a moment longer trying to read her face but she seemed to know what she was doing.

“Alright.” I opened the door and jumped in. I wasn’t happy with what she decided but knew I had to go along with it. I went home and decided to prepare a dinner for her to come home to a long with a glass or two of wine. She was going to need it.

~*~*~*~ Ella’s Point Of View~*~*~*~

I paced back and forth, nervous on seeing Anthony. I tried rehearsing what I was going to tell him, try to explain and knew that no matter what it wasn’t going to go down easy. I was up stairs, looking at a picture frame that held a picture of Anthony and I two years ago. We both had our mouths open as though we were laughing, it was a day we went hiking and were under the water falls. I heard the door open and shut down stairs and footsteps begin to climb the stairs.

My stomach was doing flips and twists and I stood up from the bed we shared for so many nights.

“Ellie?” Anthony called me by my pet name I hated. It made me feel like a two year old.

“Uh, in the bed room.” I called out and he walked into the room carrying a briefcase and a roller suitcase.

“What are you doing?” He asked, not greeting me with a typical boyfriend/girlfriend greeting with a hug or kiss.

“We need to talk,” I told him and sat down. He let his items in his hand fall and he looked around the room.

“Did you do some cleaning? Looks good. I’m real tired from the trip, Jet Lag ya know? Could we talk tomorrow baby?”

“No we to talk now,” I found my voice and my confidence seemed to become stronger.

“Okay so talk,” Anthony spoke sitting down and loosening his tie.

“I’m not happy where we are. I know you’re not happy with us and we can’t keep pretending. I’m tired of you treating me the way you do, as though I’m not here. The only attention you give me is when you feel the need to hurt me because you think I don’t get things about you!”

“Are you PMSing Ellie? This is ridiculous.”

“I’m breaking up with you. I’ve packed all my things and am staying with a friend,” shit forgot to call Sammy, I thought.

“You’re not going anywhere. You can just unpack it all and realize that you and I are going to be together forever. You’re really going to dishonor your brother that way? You’re a complete selfish slut. I’m sure there is another guy with all this also.”

“No there’s no guy. I’m done putting up with your bullshit and your controlling,” It wasn’t a complete lie. I mean Nick and I were just friends…right? I started to head for the door. “I hope you can find peace one day and someone can make you happy since I never could.” I was out the door and was about to walk down the stairs.

“YOU are going NO WHERE!” I heard his voice boom behind me and a pair of hands pushed my shoulders. I felt myself fall forward and tried to jump the steps I knew I’d tumble down. I landed on the balls of my feet and felt excruciating pain in both of my ankles. I screamed in pain and rolled down the steps. I felt my rib smack the hard wood steps and make a hollow cracking sound.

“Now look what you made me go and do. You know what fine; I don’t need a low life like you in my life anyway. Get out!” Anthony moved paced me and kicked my stomach. I tried to push myself off of the floor; my body was shaking as I grabbed the rail and tried to pull myself up.

“I think my ankles are broken,” I did my best to choke back my tears and only managed to fall back to the floor.

“Maybe you should re-think your decision because you do need me,” Anthony was now kneeling next to me and stroking my hair. “I hate hurting you Ellie but baby you just get me worked up so much.” He brushed his hand on my cheek and winced back.

“Get away from me,” tears of pain steamed down my face. My breath kept getting caught in my throat and I felt as though my lungs were tightening up. Anthony pressed his lips onto mine forcefully and straddled my body that was now sprawled out on the ground. I had been able to fight back in the past but I had sharp pains running up and down my legs and my chest burned with every breath.

“You really shouldn’t dress this sexy, you give guys the wrong impression,” he pulled on my cotton shorts, pass my hip bones and down to my pubic bone. His fingers began to massage and I thrashed my palm upward to his nose.

“GOD DAMN YOU BITCH!” He slapped me hard across the face and grabbed his nose that was now bleeding; I had clearly broken it.

“You better be gone when I get back if you know what’s good for you!” He got up and stormed out of the house. I heard his car start and the engine roar and the tires screeched out of the driveway.

I struggled to get my cell phone out from my back pocket, my hands were shaking. I flipped it open and pressed the SEND button to re-dial Nick’s number.

“Hey how did it go?” Nick asked answering his phone.

“Come get me, fast,” my voice shook and struggled to keep my head lifted. I was afraid of when he’d come back but knew there was no way I could walk out of the house.

“Are you alright?”

“Nick hurry,” I slurred my words and everything went dark.
Chapter 7 by openarmsgirl
Nick’s Point Of View

I was in my car as soon as Ella told me to come get her. I sped through stop signs and lights, not caring if a cop car was going to pull me over. I actually hoped that one would and I’d keep driving to the bastards’ house. An eight minute drive turned to be a two minute one and I pulled into the drive way. There was no car to show that Anthony was around and I jumped out of the car, leaving it on and went to the front door.

I pushed it open and as I walked in; before I could call out Ella’s name, I saw her lying at the bottom of the stairs; in a pile.

“Ella, can you hear me?” I knelt down placing a hand on her shoulder. I heard her moan a little and struggle to open her eyes. “It’s me Ella, come on speak to me.”

“Nick?” She whispered.

“I’m going to get you some help. Don’t move.”

“NO!” Her voice came out hoarse and she tried to sit up. “Get me out of here now, he’s coming back.”

“Ella, I’ll call the cops and an ambulance.”

“No, get me out, I’m so scared Nick. Please.”

“Shh, alright. Is your back or neck in any pain? Did you fall the down the stairs or did he push you down here?”

“He pushed me down the stairs. I may have broken a rib; it’s hard to breathe. Get me out please,” she bagged and

I kissed her forehead and tried to re-assure her I’d take care of her. My heart pounded in my chest and if it wasn’t for her rapid breathing, I’m sure she would’ve been able to hear it. I knew I had to stay calm though, for the both of us. Although I was freaking out inside, I knew she had already started freaking out all together.

“You need to calm down baby girl; I’m going to get you out of here. Here we’re going to sit up slowly okay? No fast movements.” I helped her sit up slowly, her face wincing in pain and from my better judgment; I had her turn to face me. “Okay, we’re going to stand on the count of three, which side hurts?”

“My right. Nick I can’t stand, I think my ankles are broken.” I looked down at her legs and her flip flops had fallen off and from her toes up to her shins were already bruised and swollen. I put my arm underneath her legs and her left arm wrapped around my neck.

“I’ve got you now, you’re going to be okay.” I whispered in her ear and without shutting the front door I walked out to my car. I opened the passenger door and as gently as I could, I sat her down in the seat. “Do you want me to get you some ice?” I asked putting the seat belt across her chest.

“NO! We have to go, now, please Nick!!”

“Shh relax.” I shut her door and quickly ran over to my side and hopped in. I threw my car into first gear and sped out of the driveway. I kept glancing next to me to Ella and noticed her breathing was becoming even shallower. She was in a lot of pain but I didn’t know why she having a hard time breathing. I took my cell phone out and hit 9-1-1.

“Nine-one-one, what’s your emergency?” The operator asked on the other line.

“I just picked up my friend who was pushed down the stairs by an ex-boyfriend. She was afraid he was coming back so instead of calling an ambulance I am bringing her to Tampa General.”

“What’s her address?” The operator asked. I gave her the address of where Ella used to live and my name and number. “And her injuries so I can dis-batch the hospital Mr. Carter.”

“She hurt both ankles, possible breaks. They’re swollen pretty good and bruised already and she’s complaining of pain from her right side of her chest. She’s having hard time breathing and is really weak.”

“Okay sir, I have informed the hospital, they will have doctors out to meet you when you get there. I’m going to hang up the phone now so you can drive there safely. What is your time estimate of arrival?”

“Ten minutes.”

“Okay, thank you.”

I hung up the phone, and reached over for Ella’s hand. It was limp and I heard her wheezing next to me.

“They’re going to have a team of doctors ready for you when we arrive. We’re almost there.”

“I feel like I’m going to be sick,” she moaned and opened her window. Her face was pale and she wrapped her arm around her stomach. “Can you pull over?” She asked and without hesitation I did.

I got out on my side and ran over to her side and opened the door. She had already unbuckled her seat belt and was already leaning over. I held her shoulders for support and she began to vomit.

To my surprise, blood came out of her mouth. She hadn’t eaten since breakfast and kept choking. I reached into my glove box and found some napkins from Subway I had a while ago and pressed them to her lips to dry her mouth.
Tears ran down her cheeks that now held a little color but I assumed it was from trying to force herself sick. “I’m spinning,” she dropped her head down and I gently picked it up and lay it on the head rest. I then lifted the lever to lower her seat down so she was flat on her back.

I hurried back to my side and began speeding once again to the hospital…

~*~*~*

I paced back and forth in the waiting room, obviously waiting to hear something from these no nothing doctors and interns and nurses. A.J was on his way and he told me he would get a hold of Sammy. As soon as I had arrived at the emergency doors, two doctors had come out with a gurney and loaded Ella onto it. An oxygen mask was placed over her pale face and they rushed her inside.

A nurse had come to talk to me within ten minutes to let me know ‘the plan’ and I haven’t seen her in two hours.

“Nick,” Jay’s voice came behind me and pulled me in for a hug. “How is she?”

“Not great, she’s in surgery now. She broke a rib on the right side and it nicked her lung pretty good. They’re also fixing her left ankle with surgery and right one ankle has to be set and put into a removable boot/cast thing…” I sighed and sat down finally. As I spoke the words to Jay I realized just how serious this all was.

“Did the police get the asshole?”

“No not yet. They’re going to have to ask Ella questions when she come out of surgery but they may have to wait until tomorrow.” A.J. nodded and sat next to me.

“You’re a good guy for doing all of this, Nick.”

“If I were a good guy, I wouldn’t have agreed to let her see him one last time. I had a bad feeling and should’ve stuck with my instincts.”

“She’s alive because of you right now.”

“A.J. she’s a mess. She’s going to need more help than I’ll be able to give.”

“So, we’ll find her a good shrink to talk to. I’m sure the doctors here will have some sort of information for ya.”

“I guess.”

“You’re falling for her aren’t you Carter?”

“Falling? No. I fell.”

We waited in the hospital, made small talk to pass the time which seemed to be going ever so slow. I guess that’s the point of hospitals though. A.J. informed that he called Sammy and she was on her way from work which was about a forty-five minute drive from here.

“Nick Carter?”

“Yes.”

“Your fiancé is out of surgery,” a doctor told me walking up to the two of us. A.J. shot me a look and I ignored it.

“How is she? Can I see her?”

“She’s still sleeping with the heavy anesthetics we gave her. But we repaired the hole in her lung and set her rib the best we could. You usually have to let that heel on its own.”

“Her ankles?”

“Her left one was completely shattered. She has four pins in it right now and we will put a cast on it tomorrow as long as the swelling goes down. Her right one was a compound break and is in a removable cast. She won’t be walking for some time and will need to use a wheel chair.”

I nodded my head taking it all in, pretty much everything that I was told earlier so no new surprises and I suppose I should be happy for that.

“Thank you,” I said and shook her hand. She nodded and walked away.

“Damn,” A.J. let out a low whistle next to me. “So, fiancé huh?”

“They wouldn’t let me know anything if I weren’t related or significant other. What was I supposed to do?”

“How does it explain her boyfriend beating her up than?”

“I told the police the truth because they came and took my statement.”

“Relax I’m messing with ya! Maybe you should go home and get some rest.”

“I want to be here when she wakes up.”

“It could be a while from the sounds of it, they pumped her up with some serious knock out stuff.”

“I’m going to stay. You can head out if you want, thanks for coming.”

“Nonsense. Sammy is on her way,” A.J. wiggled his eye brows.

So that’s what we did, we waited and it was mostly in silence. Sammy showed up a half hour later and I expected her to be freaked out and crying like most females but she just shook her head and said “it was bound to happen.”

Those words, they pissed me off. I wasn’t pissed at Sammy but the fact it came down to that. But I know Sammy tried countless times to get Ella help as did I. Sammy told me that she was still shocked that Ella allowed me that far into her life.

It was three am when a nurse came out. I had sprawled out on three chairs and my legs still hung off.

“I’m sorry to wake you but I figured you’d want to know that she’s awake. She’s a little groggy, but awake and asking for you.”

“Thank you,” I stood up and saw A.J. and Sammy were sitting in two chairs and their heads leaning against one another’s. I followed the nurse through hall ways and finally came to a room.

“Go on in, she will probably be asleep in a little while but I know you’ve been here all night.” I nodded my head understanding and walked in.

Ella’s left leg was up in a sling and was loosely bandaged. Her right leg was propped up on a pillow; a black cast was on it. She had an oxygen tube that rested under her nose.

I walked up to her bed and then gently picked her hand up into mine. An IV was taped on the top of it and I brought her hand up to my lips and lightly kissed it. I saw her eyes flutter open and my heart skipped a few beats.

“Hey you,” I smiled and brushed my hand on her forehead and hair. She whispered ‘hi’ and I sat on the edge of her bed ever so carefully. “How are you feeling?”

“Sleepy,” she pulled a half smile and squeezed my hand. “I want to go home with you.”

“Soon Ella. It’s late and I’ll stay here all night while you sleep, alright?” She nodded her head and her eyes closed. I said a silent prayer to God, asking him to give her the strength to get through this and to let him know that I would be there for her through it all.
Chapter 8 by openarmsgirl
Two days later I was allowed to bring Ella home. Her injuries were healing but I was afraid emotionally she was damaged. I had Howie and A.J. help me fix up the guest room to make it Ella’s room. Sammy explained more of her personality, told me some of the stories she heard while growing up so when Ella got to my house, she would feel as though it was hers also.

“This is going to be a long two months of not being able to even use crutches.” Ella whined looking out the passenger window. I had taken my Escalade to pick her up so that her wheel chair would fit into the back. A long with all of the flowers and gifts I got her and everyone else.

I pulled into the driveway, turned the car off and got out. I went to the front door, unlocked it and opened it up. I went back to the passenger door and it was already open.

“I needed some air,” Ella said before I got a word in. She knew her physical activity was supposed to be very limited and would be pretty much on bed rest for a couple weeks until her rib completely healed.

“You look pale,” I said reaching my hand up to her cheek.

“I’m a little tired.”

“That’s to be expected. Okay you ready to go inside? I’m just going to carry you in.” She put her arm around my neck and I put my arm under her casted legs and lifted her up. She winced and sucked in a sharp breath and I said “sorry.”

I brought her inside and gently settled her on the couch in the living room. I placed two pillows under her legs and put one behind her back. “You okay for a few minutes? I’m going to unload the car.”

“I’m fine. You worry too much,” she winked and smiled before laying her head back and closing her eyes. “No promises I’ll be awake.”

“Sleep,” I told her and kissed the top of her head. She pulled a blanket down that was up the top and I helped her un-fold it on her. Her eyes closed again and I went back to the car to start unloading.

Between the wheel chair, the bags, the flowers and gifts, it took me four trips to the car to get everything inside. By the time I was done, Ella was passed out. I stood over her, watching her chest slowly rise and fall.
Everything was surreal. A few weeks ago, I nearly ran this girl over, one look and I fell in love with someone who was with a boyfriend and now here she was. Asleep, on my couch and I wanted to do nothing but protect her.

I settled into the love seat and flipped on the television, hoping to find something besides trashy talk shows and soap operas at this time of day. I landed on CSI and watched a re-run that I had never seen before.
Grissom had just found another miniature set from the dollhouse murder in his office when I heard Ella moaning softly. I looked over and saw her tossing her head lightly back and forth. “No,” escaped from her lips and her breathing became more rapid. I stood up and knelt down next to her.

“Ella, wake up.” I placed my hand on her head. Her legs then began to move and I put my arm over them, afraid she’d hurt herself.

At that moment Ella sat up and let out a yell. “Shh, it was just a dream. You’re alright,” I told her, cupping her face in my hands and looking into her eyes. She was sweating and breathing hard.

“Sorry,” she pressed her finger tips over her eyes and dropped her back.

“Don’t apologize. You look like you’re in pain. You want me to get you a pain killer?” She nodded her head and I went into the kitchen where her prescription was and took a bottled water from the refrigerator. I returned and put one in her palm and gave her the water.

“Thanks,” she tossed it in her mouth and chased it with a swig of water. She put the cap back on and set it on the floor next to her. I watched as she tried to sit up, pushing off her hands and she pressed her lips together and squeezed her eyes closed. I fixed the pillow behind her so she was sitting up.

“Better?”

“A little. My legs feel like they’re falling asleep.”

“Yeah we have to keep changing elevation. I’ll take the pillows out for a while.” I carefully pulled the pillows out and watched her face to make sure I wasn’t hurting her.

“Nick, thank you for everything…again. I don’t know if I’ll be able to thank you enough.”

“You already have. I’m happy to have you hear.”

“If you have things to do, you can go and do them. I’ll be alright.”

“I have nothing planned for quite some time. Just to get you back on your feet.”

“Ugh, seems like it’s going to be forever. And dancing? That’s out of the question, there goes that dream.”

“You don’t know that. You’ll do physical therapy and get you strong and into the dancing school you want.”

“I can’t even pick this one leg up at all, how will I get it strong enough to leap on or jump. My left leg is my lead leg in everything I do.”

“Time, support and belief.”

“I never was this bitter or non-believer type Nick. And honestly, I feel as though I don’t know myself anymore. I mean, you’re a complete stranger pretty much and you’ve taken me in and I’m so grateful but I just…I just don’t get why?”

“Destiny.”

“Excuse me?”

“Destiny Ella. I ran you over because we were meant to meet. I was meant to keep you safe and protect you. A lot of good I did but I’m trying my best now.”

“The idea sounds nice but I just don’t believe in fairy tales.” She sighed and closed her eyes briefly. “I need a shower.”

“Yeah not with those ankles.”

“Nick, I’ve had nothing but a sponge bath in the last two days and my hairs needs to be washed and conditioned and I need to shave…at least a little.” I stared at her desperation and thought for a moment.

“Well, I do have a walk-in shower,” I grinned a little. “I have an idea.”

“Thank you!”

“After this though, it’s in bed for the rest of the night for you!”

“Yes, Dad.” She rolled her eyes.
I had gone up stairs and began getting things ready. It really was going to be a process to get her showered safely. I brought two chairs from the kitchen into the shower and two; large garbage bag with a roll of duct tape.

After, I went down stairs to get Ella. I scooped her up into my arms and noted to myself I was going to have to make sure she ate well because she definitely lost weight within the last week. I carried her to where her room was and set her on the bed.

“I had Sammy help me with your room, do you like?” I asked trying to read her face.

“Nick, you did this for me?” She asked looking around. Pictures of old friends, her family were placed around the room. I had bought an Edward Degas ballet painting and hung it over her bed. Her ballet Pointe shoes hung from her vanity mirror, her jazz sneakers and other dance shoes were up on a shelf.

“Hope you don’t mind us going through your things. We just wanted it to feel more like your house too. Your clothes are in the closet and dresser; I thought maybe you would feel comfortable in a swim suit and I can help you shower. I’ll get in mine also?”

“Sounds good,” she bit her lower lip and nodded her head. I went to her dresser and in the top drawer, her bathing suit lay on the top.

“I’ll go get mine on and come back in a few?” I asked, wondering if maybe she were going to need help. She wore a pair of shorts and a sweatshirt so she would’ve been able to easily change.

“I can handle, thanks Nick,” she smiled and I walked out of the room. I turned on the shower to make sure it would be warm by the time she got in and I put my swim shorts on. I waited an extra two minutes before I went to Ella’s room and knocked on her door.

“Ready,” her voice called out. I opened the door and my breath was nearly taken away as I looked at her in her suit on the bed. She looked like a model, despite all of the bruising on her body.

“You’re staring Nick,” she rolled her eyes and laughed.

“Sorry, you’re just so-”

“Hideous?”

“What? Not at all, what are you talking about?”

“I’m a mess, look at me.”

“Stop that,” I went closer to the bed and sat on the edge. “You, you’re beautiful Ella. These bruises and broken bones will heal. This,” I took her hands and held them up to her chest where her heart was located. “This will heal.” Her eyes looked up at me, reading to make sure I was telling the truth.

Her breathing became more rapid, my chest pounded and our lips inched closer and closer. Her eyes closed as she brought her lips to mine and they softly brushed across mine. I kissed back ever so lightly. Seconds later we pulled away.

I had brought in the garbage bags and duct tape to cover her casts up and slid the plaster casted leg through. I tapped the bag tight around just below her knee.

“I can take off the boot, you don’t need to bag this leg up,” she said matter-of-factly.

“I don’t know Ella? Your ankle is still a fracture that means it’s still a break.”

“So? Not like I’ll be walking on it. Please, so I can shave?”

“I don’t like this.”

“Live a little.” I was taken back when she said that and shot her a look.

“No moving.” I began to un-strap her boot slowly and as carefully as possible. I lifted the front up and winced when I saw how bruised and swollen her ankle was. There were colors I had never seen before.

“I’m afraid to lift your leg up,” I admitted hesitating.

“It will be fine Nick, I promise.” Her voice was sincere and full of truth. I gently picked her leg up and pulled the casted boot to the side; never once taking my eyes off Ella’s eyes.

“You ready to shower?” I asked pulling away. I knew I had to take things slow, I wanted to take things slow to make sure she wouldn’t be hurt anymore.

“More than ready,” she grinned and I carefully picked her up into my arms. I brought her through my room, into my bathroom where steam was filling up the bathroom. I sat Ella down on one of the chairs in the shower, her legs going on the other.

“How is the water?”

“Perfect,” her head leaned back into the warm shower. I had her shower things in a plastic basket on the ground next to her chairs. I picked up a wash cloth and her body-wash and squirted a nickel sized amount onto the cloth. I then began to wash her neck, back and arms.

Her eyes closed and a small smile formed on her perfectly shaped lips. I softly went to her thighs, squatting down and when I came to her un-casted leg I smoothly ran the cloth around. I stood up a minute later, reached for the head of the shower and pulled it down to rinse her body off.

Ella had reached for her shampoo and began scrubbing her hair and I did the rinsing. I stepped out of the shower so that Ella could be left alone to finish shaving. Everything seemed to be happening fast between her and I. There were definitely mutual feelings and I felt my heart swell every time I was near her.

I had just ran down stairs in the kitchen and threw a can of soup into a bowl and put in the microwave for us to have for dinner. I knew she wouldn’t be wanting a heavy meal anytime soon. I then ran back up the stairs and into my room.

I flipped on the TV and figured I’d wait another few minutes to let her finish up before going back into the bathroom. That was until I heard my name.
I walked in and saw Ella gripping the edge of her chair with her head down and knew something wasn’t right.

“You done?”

“Yeah, I’m kinda light headed.”

“Oh, boy.” I turned the shower off and reached for the towel that was on the hook outside of the walk-in shower. As I dried her skin, I looked at her face which was pale and her eyes were closed lightly. It looked as though she was focusing on her breathing.

I wrapped the towel around her small frame and her hand slipped from her grip on the chairs seat. She reached out for me but I had her the entire time. “You’re not going anywhere, I’ve got you,” I let out a light laugh.

“I felt like I was falling.”

“I think you’ve just over done it for your first day out,” I took her arm and put it around my neck and she reached around with her other arm. Her head rested on the crick of my neck and I scooped her up into my arms. She squeezed me tight and I could feel her chest rise up and down deeply.

“Ugh, I’m like floating.”

“Here you go, just take it easy,” I lay her down on her bed, her eyes were still closed and I took a spare pillow and put it under her legs. “Did you eat at the hospital?”

“I had toast this morning at seven.”

“I made soup, think you can try it? Just noodles and chicken.”

“Maybe.”

“Are you still light headed?”

“Just a little, I feel better now that I’m lying down. I think I got too hot in the shower.”

“Well, you’re staying put here for the rest of the night.” I told her going through her drawers and getting her pajamas out. “If you want me to help, let me know. I’ll go get you some dinner. No big movements.”

She saluted me and stuck her tongue out. “That’s a sexy look.”

“I know,” she laughed and it was music to my ears as cheesy as that may sound. I hadn’t heard her laugh in a while. I went back into my room and changed into a pair of sweat pants and a tee shirt before going down stairs and preparing our dinner.

It was already almost eight and realized how hungry I was. I hadn’t eaten since breakfast either but I had a breakfast sandwich from Dunkin Donuts when I went to pick her up from the hospital. A little more filling than toast oh and I had a peanut butter sandwich as a snack while she took a nap earlier. I took two water bottles from the fridge, stuck them under my arms and carried the two bowls of soup up stairs.

Ella was dressed her PJ’s and was struggling to cover herself with the sheets. I laughed, set the bowls and water on the night stand. “What are you laughing at? I’m just thankful I can dress myself.”

“Just because you’re cute, here let’s put this back on before we get the sheets on.” I picked up her boot and carefully put her broken leg back into it. “How are you doing with pain?”

“Fine,” she shrugged her shoulders. I raised only my eyes to look at her to see if she were telling the truth as I strapped her leg into place. “Promise. It’s sore but those pills make me feel gross.”

“Yeah I know what you mean,” I helped prop her back up and covered her. “Here, it should be cool enough to eat,” I handed her the bowl of soup, took mine and sat on a chair that was across the room.

“I wish it weren’t both ankles I broke. I feel like a wheel chair is going to be ten times more work than crutches,” she said eyeing the wheel chair that was set up on the other side of her bed.

“Just for a few weeks.”

“FOUR!” She slurped a long noodle and I laughed.

For the next hour we talked about possibilities we could do at the end of the week and how she wanted to stop at the Café and let everyone know what was going on. I think I finally convinced her to tell them that they should take her off permanently and when she was able to get back onto her feet I’d help her find another job.

Ella admitted that was afraid of working at the café anyway because Anthony would be looking there for her every day. I helped Ella into her wheel chair and she made her way into the bathroom which I made sure everything she would need would be reachable. She brushed her teeth and anything else women need to do before going to bed and came back into the room.

Seeing the finger printed bruise marks on her arm made me clench my jaw as she went to push herself up onto the bed.

“Okay so getting down is a lot easier than getting up since I can’t move my lower half.” She giggled and I went next to her and helped her up. “You’re going to get bigger arms by lifting me up so much.”

“I’ll just cut back my weight lifting,” I winked and covered her up. “Okay, your phone is by your bed, if you need me, just call. My room is just down the hall.”

“Nick, I just want to thank you again for everything.”

“You’re welcome.” I kissed her forehead and she tugged on my shirt a little, bringing my face to hers. She softly brushed her lips on mine and I kissed back.

“Goodnight.”

“Night, Ella.” I smiled and walked out of her room smiling.
Chapter 9 by openarmsgirl
Author's Notes:
Contains Adult Content. For mature audience only.
I must have been only in a light sleep when I heard a yell. I sat up with a startle and looked around the room. I wasn’t sure if I had been dreaming and as I looked at my clock on the nightstand I heard another yell. I got out of bed and briskly walked to Ella’s room.
I turned the light on and Ella was tossing and turning in her bed. I rushed to her side and held her legs stable.
“Ella wake up!” My voice was deep and I took a hold of her arms. Ella’s head shot off the pillow and was breathing hard. “You were dreaming,” I said calmly lying her back down. Her breathing sounded shallow and was almost as though she couldn’t get air out of her lungs.
“I think you’re hyperventilating, try to relax. Eyes on me, there you go.” Her hands were still gripped around my wrists. I peeled her fingers from me and held her hands.
I watched her close her eyes and tears rolled down her cheeks. I brushed my thumbs across her face to dry her tears. “Shh, you’re safe Ella. You’re alright.”
“I thought I was awake and he was here and that he hurt you and and—”
“Bad dream sweetie. It was just a bad dream.” Ella sat up and wrapped her arms around my neck and her body was still shaking. “Do you want me to lay with you until you fall back to sleep?” I asked pulling away a little.
She nodded her head and I stood up to turn the lights off. I got back into her bed and lay next to her. I was able to get her comfortable so that her head was on my chest; and her left leg was hanging over my lower half a little on a pillow. I gently rubbed her back and her breathing calmed down.
“Ella,” I spoke softly.
“Hmm?”
“Do you want me to get someone for you to talk to?”
“What do you mean?” Her voice drained.
“You’ve been through a lot this week and years of abuse. It’s just a lot for anyone to handle by themselves.” I pointed out and she remained quiet.
“I’ll be fine.”
“Elle-”
“It was one nightmare.”
“It’s your first night home and first time going to bed without the help of sedation. At least think about it.”
“I will.” She yawned and within ten minutes she had drifted to sleep. It felt good for her to be in my arms and for once I felt as though I was actually protecting her. Within time I also had fallen asleep.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* Two Weeks Later~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
“You sure you don’t need anything before I leave?” I asked Ella who was doing crunches and stretching in the living room.
“Nick. GO! You’re amazing but I can handle being on my own for a couple hours.”
“Well, let me get you off the floor before I leave.”
“I can get around fine.” She told me and I let out a sigh of annoyance. I couldn’t help myself from being over protective. “Good-bye,” she started her crunches again and I knelt down to give her a kiss. So what exactly are we do you ask? I don’t really know, we just sort of hit things off and living together has definitely brought us closer.
“Bye,” I planted one her forehead and smiled. She gave me this half grin with a wink and I headed out the door. I had to get over Howie’s where A.J. was meeting us and we were going to call Brain to discuss our next tour. We wanted to make this one a little bigger than our last two, go back to our old school ways. More dancers, more pyro-techs and special effects.
The drive wasn’t too long, Howie moved closer from Orlando where he was so the three of us could actually be closer. Brian was just the outcast in Georgia with his wife. I still have a house in L.A. but mostly just go there when I go see Aaron and my sisters.
I pulled into the drive way and saw A.J.’s car already there next to Howie’s. I glanced at the clock on my dashboard first; it read two-twenty two. Shrugging, I pulled myself from the car and walked right into the house as if it were mine. I could hear Brian’s voice which meant they already had him on speaker and webcam from Howie’s laptop.
“Look who finally decides to come,” A.J. threw at me before I could sit down at the table.
“You said two-thirty. I’m early.” I defended myself. “Hey Rok.”
“We actually said two Nick. It’s fine though. The guys were filling me in with how much time you and Bella spend together. “
“Oh?” I raised my eyebrow looking between A.J. and Howie.
“Yeah are you two official yet?”
“We’re just taking things slow,” I said honestly.
“Sure sure. So why were you late? Getting a little before you came?” A.J. nudged me.
“We haven’t had sex and even if we have I wouldn’t tell you. I was late ‘cause I really thought we were meeting at two. Sorry! Can we talk about the tour now?” I was beginning to get frustrated.
“Yeah, I know you want to get back home to your girlfriend.” A.J. tugged on the word ‘girlfriend’ and laughed.
“Alright guys leave Nicky alone. He’s handled this whole thing with great maturity; and I’m proud of you.”
“Thanks B.”
“Okay, so we still want to plan for a Fall tour and then spring so we’re home for the Holidays?” Brian spoke looking down at a piece of paper.
We all said ‘yeah’ and Howie spoke. “That gives us three months to get everything ready. Brian you going to be able to come out enough to Florida?”
“Yeah, Leigh and I have talked and Bailey’s not in school for the summer now so it’s perfect. We’ll just stay at our condo there. We’re planning on coming out next Tuesday; so let’s get together Wednesday and we’ll settle dates and start booking crew. Howie you have the list of cities we hit our last two tours correct?”
“Yeah, I have them here. I’m going to get together with Donna this weekend to plan cities and she’ll handle the booking.”
“So what are we doing for songs? We were supposed to be doing an album this summer.” I spoke up from the chair I was leaning against.
“We’re still going to start our CD Nick, we’ve talked about this,” A.J. told me.
“Okay but we’re not going to give anything new from our last tour?” I sounded annoyed; and I was.
“Well, what do you guys think of this? We’ve already started playing around with new songs; what if get five new songs ready that may or may not be on our new album, sing them at our shows and kinda give our fans a taste of what’s to come.” Howie spoke. He was the marketer of the group.
“I like it. What about that one we recorded a couple months ago at A.J.’s studio?” Brian asked.
“Yeah and I’ve been working on some stuff too.” I told them starting to get excited.
“Okay, so let’s plan spending all of next weekend working out which songs we’re going to do from our previous albums and start working on new stuff.” Howie said writing down in his notebook.
“That means Friday through Sunday Nick. Can you handle that?” A.J. glared at me.
“Question is, can you?” I shot back.
“ALRIGHT, and I think we’re settled.” Brian spoke up. “Anything else?”
“Someone has to get a hold of Fatima.” I spoke up.
“I will,” Howie jotted down another note on his pad. I assumed it was to call her. “I think that’s I though.”
“Yup I’m good.” A.J. said.
“Nick I’ll call you when I have times for our flight.”
“You got it Brian. Talk to you later.” We said our goodbyes and Howie disconnected his lap top.
“So how is Ella doing?” Howie asked me.
“Better. Anxious to get her casts off. She has another couple of weeks though but she’s not in a lot of pain anymore”
“She still having nightmares?” A.J. asked.
“Once in a while. Usually it’s when I’m not with her.”
“Not with her?” Howie asked.
“Like if she takes a nap or goes to bed earlier than me and I’m not in bed with her. But she doesn’t want to go see a therapist and I can’t force her too. She’s alright being alone, I have to make sure the doors locked and everything but she’s tough.” I smiled.
“You’re in love.” Howie patted my back and stood up heading for his refrigerator. I didn’t disagree but I didn’t agree either.
“Alright well, I am going out to dinner with a beautiful young lady tonight.”
“Sammy A.J?” I asked.
“Maybe.”
“We should all get together Friday night. Go to the pier.” A.J. suggested. “D you and LeighAnna up for it?”
“I’ll check but should be good.”
“I’ll talk to Ella.” I said standing up. “I will talk to you guys later on.” I said and the three of us gave each other a brief hug and I headed back out to my car.
When I got home Ella was still on the ground and was stretching. “I think you’re over doing it.”
“How? I’m stretching Nick,” she questioned me.
“Because you’ve been going for three hours now.”
“I can’t run or dance or work out any other way. I need to make sure my body is somewhat in shape when I get these stupid things off.” She sighed sitting up from her straddle. “How was the meeting?”
“It went well,” I picked her up from the floor and put her on the couch; her legs over my lap. “Brian’s coming Tuesday and we’re going to start really putting the tour together.”
“You sound excited.”
“I am. This is the first one where we really get to put it together how we want to. Oh, Friday you want to go out with Howie and Jay?”
“Love to. I need to get out more.”
“How about I take you out tonight.”
“Yeah?” Her eyes brightened up.
“Movies?”
“Can we see Transformers?!”
“There is no other choice. Come on let’s start getting you ready, it’s going to take three hours,” I played and picked her up.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
“That was awesome!” Ella beamed as I pushed her out of the theatre.
“Yeah Megan Fox is a babe.”
“I’d do her,” Ella said and we laughed.
“It’s raining, I’m going to pull the car up,” I told her giving her a kiss and putting her brakes on the wheel chair on.
“Okay, thanks,” she smiled . I jogged out to get the truck and hopped in. I turned on my wipers and put the truck into gear to pull up to the front door. I had to wait for a couple of cars to go through before I could pull up and when I did I saw a crowd of people surrounding something. I put the truck into park and hopped out, quickly getting back inside.
Ella wasn’t where I had left her my stomach sank already knowing who everyone was standing around.
“Excuse me, Ella?!” I pushed through people and Ella was on the ground, her chair tipped over. “What happened?” I asked trying to look into her teary eyes. She didn’t answer but a girl about Ella’s age did.
“She just started yelling at a man to get away from her, I think she went to push him away and fell forward and kept yelling. The guy took off when I had reached her and she’s been shaking since. Is she okay?”
“Do you need an ambulance?” The manager of the store was now out and pushing people away.
“Ella, are you hurt? You need to talk to me.” I cupped her face into my hands.
“Just sore,” she whispered. “It was Anthony.”
“He came up to you?”
“Yeah, he wanted to talk but I didn’t want him near me and I freaked out. I’m sorry,” her cheeks flushed and knew she was embarrassed.
“It’s alright baby,” I kissed her cheek and then looked up to the manager.
“She’s alright. Thank you.” I told her and the other young girl had picked up the wheelchair and put the brakes on. “Thanks for being with her,” I told her and she smiled nodded her head. “Would you mind actually just following me out with that, I’m going to carry her out. My truck is right there,” I pointed the front door.
“Of course!” I picked up Ella and carried her out to the car. It was raining harder, the girl opened the door for me and I put Ella in the seat. Closing the door, I opened the back one and folded up the chair and slid it in.
“Thanks again-”
“Sarah.” She shook my hand.
“Thanks Sarah. Get out of the rain now!” I smiled and she waved goodbye to Ella. I got into the driver’s seat and looked at Ella who was staring out the passenger window.
“He should be in jail.” She said simply.
“I know. I’m going to call Police now. I don’t know why they haven’t gotten him yet or why he was here.” I pulled my phone out as well as my wallet and called the officer who was in charge of the case. I explained to him the details of the events and he told me they were sending the police over to his house right now to see if he goes home.
Ella didn’t have anything to say after I told her what the officer told me and I drove us home. Bringing her inside I went straight up to my bedroom lied her down on the bed and I sat next to her.
“You’re in pain aren’t you?”
“Just this left one really.” I placed a pillow under her leg, went into my bathroom where she had pain pills and I handed her one with a glass of water. “I’m going to get you some ice.” She popped the pill into her mouth, swallowed it without the water and just nodded her head. Something wasn’t right and I didn’t know what to do. I was quick with the ice pack from the freezer and returned. Ella was watching the rain hit the skylight window above the bed and the sky flashed with lightening.
I placed the ice just above the cast and then took out a large shirt for her to change in; and I took my shirt and jeans off. She pulled her shirt off, slipped my shirt over her head and then began to take her shorts off. She pulled her right leg out easily but when it came to lift her left leg she struggled and winced in pain. I carefully slid it all the way off and tossed it to the floor.
“Want to watch some TV?”I asked and she shrugged her shoulders. I climbed into bed after turning the light off. It was almost eleven pm and I turned on the TV. I landed on ‘That 70s Show.’ “They’re going to catch him Elle, it’s going to be okay.” I said rolling over to face her.
“I know,” she nodded pressing her lips together. I leaned over to kiss her and she took me by surprise and pulled me in harder. Her tongue massaged mine and I felt her nibble on my lower lip. She pulled my head toward her chest and kissed my neck. I couldn’t help but let out a soft groan.
I kissed her lips, full of passion and quite honestly didn’t know when the last time I had been kissed like that. Her hand went from chest down into my boxers finding my lower extremities’ and massaging; while never taking her lips off mine.
“I want you,” she whispered into my ear and gently biting my ear lobe. I pulled my tee shirt off her and she tugged on my boxers. I knew she would have a hard time removing them completely because of the casts on her legs.
I massaged her breasts and kissed her cheek, then her collar bone, over her nipples and down her stomach. Goosebumps formed over soft skin and she pulled my face to hers. I kissed her hard then reached into my nightstand next to the bed to pull out a condom. She helped me place it on and ever so carefully I positioned myself on top of her and in her.
Moving ever so gently, I slipped into her warm goodness and she let out a soft moan. “Nick,” she whispered pulling me up against her body. I knew she was trying hard to do her part but was struggling without the use of her legs.
“You feel amazing,” I said into her ear and kissed her neck; which I knew was her spot. She tilted her head back and our breathing became rapid together. Our pace quickened and without trying to hold it back we both released ourselves. I kissed her lips softly, pushing back pieces of her hair from her face that were now damp with perspiration.
She had a grin on her face as I pulled out and away. “Be right back,” I kissed her again and disappeared into the bathroom to clean up. When I came back into the bedroom, she had just a sheet half over her; a smile still on her face.
“I need to see that smile more, it drives me wild,” I said jumping in bed and she laughed.
“I need more of you then,” she said pulling my face to hers and kissing me.
Chapter 10 by openarmsgirl
I had been in a deep sleep when I was woken up to a hard kick on my shin. I opened my eyes and Ella was tossing and turning. “Get off…no…” Her words were quiet but I knew she was having a nightmare.

“Ella, Ella wake up,” I sat up and shook her gently. She sucked in a sharp breath and started to sit up. “Shh, it’s a dream.” I put my hands on her shoulders and she lay back down. Placing her palms over her eyes she let out a long sigh. She sat up, reached for the ground, picked up the tee shirt that I had removed only a few hours before and pulled it back on.

Ella swung her right leg over the bed and picked her left leg up with her hands and carefully put it over. Her head hung, both hands gripped the edge of the bed and I heard her sniffle.

“I’m sorry Nick.”

“Hey it’s alright.” I rubbed her back, propping up on an elbow. “You’ve been doing really well, it’s just because you saw him earlier.” The rain patted against the window steady.

“I feel like I have no control over myself.”

“Things will get better, they are. You had a setback today.” She turned and faced me; look of desperation on her face. I heard her stomach rumble and she placed her hands over it. “Hungry?” I asked giving a light laugh. “You only had a salad for dinner.”

“No.” She picked her left leg back up and brought her right one over with it; then lay back down with me.

“I think we should get your ankle looked at tomorrow if you can’t lift your leg. The bones may not be setting right.” She nodded her head and nuzzled her face into my chest.

“Get some sleep,” I kissed the top of her head and within minutes we both fell back to sleep.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
“Well, I have good news and bad news,” the Doctor told Ella walking in placing two xrays up on the light board.

“Good first,” Ella said raising her eye brow. Your right ankle is nearly healed. I’m going to go ahead and give you a walking boot and a pair of crutches. However, at first it’s going to be a lot of strain on it not being able to use your left foot at all. You’re going to want to keep the wheelchair for a while longer until it’s completely healed.”

“I can take off this walking boot?” she asked.

“Yes but not to walk. It needs to be on at all times except for bathing and sleeping and lying around on the couch. I’m going to set you up with a physical therapist start rehab.” I watched Ella’s expression and she just nodded.

“The bad news then?”

“Bad news is, your talus, which is this front bone right here is not healing at all. This could be a number of reasons. One is that there was too much damage to the tendons around it from healing properly. It could be just because it needs more time. Your tibia, that is right above your talus has also not set the way it should. This could be the main reason for the talus not healing.“

I tried to stay with the doctor the best I could, from what I was getting was that none of it was good. Ella seemed to understand what he was saying and I could see fear in her eyes. “You need to re-break the bone and if the talus doesn’t heal right; I may not be able to use my ankle like I should.”

“I’m afraid so. We can get you in tomorrow morning at eight. So after eight tonight, no eating or drinking. I’m going to go get some paper work for you to fill out and your boot and crutches.” He walked out of the room and I looked at Ella trying to read her.

“Good thing we came this morning,” I said standing up from the chair I was in.

“This sucks.”

“It does. I’m sorry babe.”

“There goes dancing.”

“You don’t know that.”

“Nick, another surgery. That means six to eight more weeks in a cast; that’s three months. That’s this summer. I’m twenty-five, my career is short as it is. I’m going to need at least six months of therapy.”

“It’s going to be alright. I promise you. Everything will work out how it’s supposed to.” I took her hands into mine and kissed her cheek.

“Alright, what I’m going to do is cut off both casts right now. I’m going to put a boot on your right food and a different kind of cast on your left. I want you to ice when you get home; an hour of ice, an hour off and keep going until you’re in bed. You’re actually going to want to do it with both legs; you’ll swell after I remove the casts. You are to get out of bed only to use the rest room and that is it.”

Ella let out a sigh and laid down on the table. “Let’s do it,” she said and I held her hand. The Doctor put on a pair of safety glasses and began to cut the right leg cast off. Five minutes later it was removed and he was onto her left leg. Ella squeezed my hand as the saw was toward the bottom of her foot.

“Should this hurt her?” I asked the Doctor worriedly.

“It’s going to be sore, especially this leg. That’s why it’s crucial to be careful without a plaster cast on today. Almost done,” he began prying the plaster off and set it to the side. He then gently began to examine both ankles. The right leg didn’t look to bad too me. A little discolor but compared to the left leg it looked great. Her left ankle was already swelling and was a deep blue/purple with yellow spots.

“I’ll have a nurse come in and wash you up a bit, let your legs air out a little before I put casts back on.”

He took the casts out with him as he left and Ella
remained lying down.

“You need shave girl.” I joked with her and she shot me a nasty look.

“I’m supposed to do nothing today?”

“Just one more day.”

“And then a day of being drugged up from anesthesia tomorrow.”

“How about today we watch any movies you want and I’ll get us a pizza.”

“Sounds good, but I should probably just have a salad.”

“Or both. You’re losing too much weight.”

“I’m totally gaining without being able to work out.”

“I’ll just work out later,” I winked at her and there was a knock on the door. A nurse came in with a bucket of warm soapy water.

“Hi there, I’m Jennifer and I bet you can’t wait to wash up. I’m even going to shave for you.”

“Good, she has more hair on her legs than me,” I laughed and she slapped me. “I’m going to go call A.J. he asked about you. I’ll be back in a couple minutes.” I told her and walked out of the room.

“You two been together for a while?” The nurse asked her as she began gently washing Ella’s legs.

“Not really.”

“Oh no? I know it when two people are in love and you two definitely are.” She laughed.

“It’s new.”

Fifteen minutes later Ella was cleaned up, her legs were smooth and the doctor was now wrapping her left leg up.

“Are they supposed to be throbbing this way?” Ella asked scrunching up her face.

“Yeah. Elevate and ice. I’m afraid no pain killers until after tomorrow. Alright you’re all set. So, no eating or drinking after eight be here tomorrow by seven and we’ll see about what we can do to get you fixed up.”

“Thank you,” Ella said and shook the Doc’s hand. I shook it as well and left the room.

“You ready?”

“Yeah, more than ready.”

“Okay, no moving your legs.”

“I couldn’t even if I wanted to,” she scrunched her nose up and wrapped her arms around my neck. I picked her up and gently set her down. She held her crutches as I pushed her out to the car.

~*~*~*~*~*
“Good morning sunshine,” I said to Ella as she struggled to open her eyes. “How are you feeling?”

“Sleepy,” her eyes fluttered.

“The surgery went well babe.”

“It’s all done?” She asked confused, her eyes closed.

“It’s all done. You got out about an hour ago. As soon as you’re up to it, I can take you home.” She nodded her head and fought to keep her eyes opened. “You can sleep some more, it’s alright.”

“I wanna go now,” she started to push herself up onto her elbows.

“Easy there,” I settled her down. “Let’s give you another hour. You’re pretty pale.” Her eyes closed and tears began streaming down her face. “Hey you, it’s alright. You’re okay. I’m not leaving.” I was now standing over her bed.

“She alright?” A nurse asked checking her vitals.

“She just started crying. I don’t know why?”

“Ella, are you in pain hon?” The nurse asked. Ella brought her hands up to her face, an IV in her left hand. “Sometimes the anesthesia makes people emotional.
I’ll give her a little more pain medication.”

“She said she just wanted to leave.”

“Who wants to stay in a hospital? I’ll just give her a little, not enough to keep her knocked out; although you’re going to want to make sure she takes her meds tonight to get sleep.”

I watched as the medicine went through her IV, into her blood stream, she began to relax and her eyes closed. I took her hand into mine again and thumbed it. I hated seeing her in pain and in this state. My phone began to vibrate in my pocket and I took it out to look at the number. Not recognizing it, I stepped out of the room to answer it.

“Hello?”

“Hi, Nick Carter please.” The voice spoke.

“This is he.”

“This is Lieutenant Michael, Tampa Bay PD.”

“Oh hi, how can I help you.”

“I just wanted to let you know we have Anthony in custody. He’s given his statement and confessed to being guilty.”

“Thank God. What’s going to happen now?”

“He’ll see a judge but I don’t believe that Ms. Ella Sawyer will have to testify.”

“Good news. She’s actually just getting done with another surgery for her leg from that bastard.”

“That’s too bad. Well, anything else comes up, I’ll be in contact.”

“Thank you Lieutenant.” I hung up the phone, let out a sigh of relief, closing my eyes briefly. It’s been a long few weeks and I was ready for this to be over. For Ella to go to sleep without fear. Forty-five minutes later, Ella was coherent enough to be taken home and a nurse helped me get her ready.

The cast they put on her this time came up a little higher, up to her knee. It was a pink cast that she had requested before going into surgery.

The short ride home, she had dozed off in the back seat.
I had left her wheel chair at home because there was no need for it. I pulled into the drive way and went to the front door to unlock and open it up to bring her inside.

I went back to my truck, opened the back seat and felt guilty for having to wake her up.

“Hey baby girl, we’re home,” I put her arm around my neck and gently began to slide her out.

“Mmm,” she moaned.

“You hurting?” I asked stopping what I was doing. She nodded her head and wrapped her other arm around me. “We’ll get you some pain killers when we get inside.” I pulled her out all the way, my arm went under her legs and I carried her inside; up into my room. She had on a tank top and a pair of cotton shorts and I lay her on the bed. I propped her leg up with two pillows; took out two pills for her to swallow and gave her some water.

“I have some good news if you’re up for it.” I smiled sitting next to her.

“So up for it,” she said.

“They got him Ella.” I told her and she cocked and eye brow at me. “Anthony’s in jail. You’re safe.” I thumbed her cheek.

“Really?”

“Yeah. I got the call today.” Ella gave a large grin and let her head fall back.

“I’m tired.”

“I know. I’m going to take a nap with you alright?”

“I’d like that.” I climbed into bed with her and within minutes we were both passed out.

~*~*~*~*~*~
“You sure you’re up for going out? You just had surgery yesterday. The guys will understand.”

“I’m fine, we’re just doing dinner. It’s a beautiful night out.” Ella said curling her hair.

“Well, I must say you’re turning me on in that sun dress of yours.” I wiggled my eye brows and kissed her neck. She had on a white halter top dress with a nice low cut v-neck.

“Good, so you can do me later when I’m too tired to move,” she laughed and unplugged her curling iron.

“You ready?”

“Good as I’m getting I guess.”

“You look stunning.” She smiled and pushed herself up
from the chair in the bathroom. Ella placed her crutches under her arms and slowly began walking out. “I think we should bring the wheel chair.”

“I’ll be fine. Could you carry my purse though?”

“Ella, this is the first you’ve moved around in the past forty-eight hours.” I took her purse from the bed and followed her out of our bedroom.

“I just may have problems with stairs,” she said looking down.

“Yeah, don’t even think about it.” I had her hold her crutches as I carried her down the stairs.

“You smell amazing,” she said placing her lips on mine as we reached the bottom step.

“Mmm, I think I could eat you,” I kissed her neck.

“Not now, or we’ll be late. Let’s go,” she pecked my lips and carefully set her down. “Good?” I asked her as she situated her crutches.

“Yup, let’s go,” she said excitedly and I held the door open and she walked over to my car. I opened the door and helped her in, then placed the crutches in the back. I got in myself and she was already playing with the radio. She landed it on a Shinedown song. I drove out the pier, where we’d be having dinner with Howie, Leigh, Alex and Sammy. I knew it would be somewhat packed because it had rained for nearly three days straight.

“I feel like I haven’t seen them in forever.”

“You haven’t. Tonight will be good.”

“It will,” she reached over and took my hand. I found a parking spot near the restaurant we’d be eating at and parked. I got out of the car, Ella opened her door and put her feet on the ground. I helped her to her feet and handed her the crutches.

“Easy now, first day walking on that ankle.”

“I know Dad,” she said rolling her eyes.

“I’m more worried about you falling on the other leg you just had surgery on oh let’s say YESTERDAY!” I told her as we walked to the restaurant.

“Hey Gimp,” A.J.’s voice popped up behind us. He was with Sammy.

“Hey!” Ella turned around slowly. Sammy gave her a half hug as did A.J. both seemed afraid to knock her over. Which, I can’t say I blame them.

“Howie already got us a table, come on,” Sammy said, placing her hand behind Ella’s back as we made our way over.

“I thought you said Alex and you were just friends?” I heard Ella ask Sammy with a smirk.

“We are, with benefits,” Sammy winked and we reached to where Howie was. He was sitting at a large round table that sat outside.

“Hey there,” Howie stood up and kissed Ella on the cheek and then Sammy.

“How are you?” Ella asked sitting down. I took her crutches and set them against the rail.

“Great, you guys remember Leigh from the pool party?” Howie asked.

“Of course, how are you doing?” Ella smiled.

“I’m doing well. How about you? I’ve heard you’ve you had a rough month,” Leigh said sincerely.

“I’m getting there. Thanks to Nick,” she looked over at me and winked.

“I’ve ordered us a bottle of wine and A.J got you your club soda.” Howie explained and as if the waiter had been near he brought over the drinks. We made light conversation and ordered our food. I got a steak and Ella ordered a Maui Maui dish.

“You guys ready to get started with this tour stuff again you old men?” Sammy asked taking a sip of her wine.

“WE are not old and yes we’re ready,” I shot her a look.

“Nick, we are old,” Howie laughed. “But as long as don’t act like it. I think we should start getting together and working out. Especially this guy here,” Howie patted A.J.’s belly.

“Hey I gave up drinking and took up eating sweets.”

“Yeah well, when you’re coughing in the middle of ‘Everybody’s’ dance you’ll wish you had worked out.”
Howie pointed out.

“Alright so maybe we should start. We can go to that Gold Gym, start Monday?” Alex asked.

“Why not tomorrow?” I asked.

“Ugh,” Alex groaned. “I’m eating all this bread then, I don’t care about carbs or sweets tonight.” He took the bread basket and we all laughed. Our entrees were brought out and we began to dig in.

I glanced over to Ella who had remained pretty quiet and she was picking at her food.

“Do you not like it hon?” I asked and taking a bite of hers.

“No it’s good, I’m just a little sore,” she reached into her purse I had hung behind her chair and took out a prescription bottle. She tapped two into her palm and chased them back with a long sip of her wine.

“That probably wasn’t smart,” I said after the fact.

“What wasn’t?”

“Taking pain pills with wine.”

“Eh, not like we’re out drinking. It’s just a glass of wine.” She put a small piece of fish into her mouth.

An hour later the waiter came back and asked if we wanted dessert. We had talked earlier how we were going to walk down the pier to the Gelato place. Howie took the bill and graciously paid for us. I said I’d get us all dessert.

“You sure you don’t want to bring that home? You had a quarter of it and just the broccoli.” I asked Ella. She looked up to me with a grin and shook her head.

“Nope, I’m good.” I raised my eye brow at her questioning what was going on but didn’t want to start anything here. I helped her stand and she stumbled into me a little.

“Are you drunk?” I laughed.

“Hmm maybe a little tipsy?”

“You had one glass of wine?”

“So I’m a cheap date,” she shrugged and I gave her the crutches. I instantly wished then I had brought her wheel chair.

“Come on,” I rolled my eyes and took her purse following the rest of the crew. Nearly ten minutes later we reached our destination and we ordered. “What do you want?”

“I’ll just have a bite of yours,” she said sitting down on a bench. I shook my head and ordered then paid for all of ours.

“Why are you not eating?” Sammy asked spooning her gelato into her mouth.

“What? I ate? Don’t be silly.” Ella waved her hand in the air carelessly.

“Yeah a bite of your dinner and no gelato.”

“I’m sharing with Nick.”

“Dinner?”

“Eh, I had a big lunch?”

“Liar. What’s going?” Sammy asked being more stern and I was interested into what Ella was going to say. Howie and Sammy had walked down a little further to look at the water and A.J. was by me.

“Nothing is going,” Ella sounded annoyed. “I’m just watching what I put into my body.”

“You’re not with Anthony anymore; you don’t have to stay underweight to keep Nick.”

“If I gain weight, there’s no way I’ll get into shape for tryouts for the school. That’s if I can even get my ankles strong enough for Pointe again.” Sammy sighed and nodded her head understanding Ella.

“You need to take care of yourself though. Your body has been through so much physically and emotionally.”

“I’m fine Samantha,” Ella struggled to stand but once she did she walked over towards balcony to look at the water.

“Anthony was put into prison yesterday. Give her a little more time, she’ll come around.” I told Sammy and then walked over to Ella. “Hey gorgeous,” I wrapped my arm around her small waist and kissed her shoulder.

“Hey,” she whispered. “It’s an amazing night out. I wish we could go down to the beach.”

“Maybe this weekend?” I asked slipping a small spoonful of the cold gelato into her mouth and then kissed her lips. She nodded her head. We had finished our gelato’s and began heading back to our cars.
Noticing Ella was moving slower than before, I stood closer to her, my hand on the small of her back as walked down the ramp of the pier. She stepped forward, cried out a little in pain and as her crutches hit the ground I caught her.

“I’ve got you.” She tilted her head back, her eyes squeezed tight and then she opened them again taking in a deep breath.

“Over do it?” Alex asked kneeling next to me looking at Nick.

“Yeah, it’s her first day on crutches and her right leg isn’t even healed completely.” Standing up with Ella in my arms, A.J. picked up the crutches and walked down to our cars.

After getting Ella in, everyone else came over to say good-bye to her and I climbed in. “You did well for your first day,” I patted her hand and started the car.

“I did,” she smiled. “I thought I could go the whole night.”

“It’s okay, you’ll get there. You start therapy Monday right?”

“Yeah, can’t wait.”

“Want me to stay with you when I bring you?”

“I’d like that,” she smiled at me and then began playing with the radio.
Chapter 11 by openarmsgirl
Another month has come and passed; Ella and I have grown what I’d like think is closer. We’ve actually spent less time together because I’ve been getting together with the fellas working on tour stuff.

Her right ankle has improved tremendously, she’s still on crutches because her left leg is still stuck in the cast but the Doctor said that it was healing nicely. She may even be able to get the cast removed in another month.
Our songs were picked out; we had three new songs to add to the tour and were working on a couple more.

“Ella, I’m home,” I called out to her throwing a bag down by the stairs.

“Kitchen!” She called and I could hear music playing. I made my way to the kitchen and laughed at the sight I was seeing. Ella had one Pointe ballet shoe on her right foot, there was pasta boiling on the stove, and she was stirring tomato sauce while going up on and toe and coming down slowly.

“What in the world are you doing?”

“Making dinner, what does it look like?” She asked. I put my arms around her waist.

“What’s with the ballet?”

“I’m trying to get this ankle stronger to get up on Pointe. I have a theory.”

“Oh do tell.”

“Well, I get this leg good and ready so the time I get this damn cast off I can work immediately on it to get stronger and I won’t have to worry about hurting this ankle again.”

“Hmm,” I said and took the spoon out of the sauce to try it. “Good.”

“Go shower you’re all sweaty.”

“Yeah from the gym and that was after we rehearsed songs for five hours.”

“Poor baby,” she went up on toe and kissed me. “Shower. Dinner will be ready by the time you get out.”

“Alright.” I said and headed up the stairs. I started the shower, put it on extra hot to loosen up my muscles.

Stepping out of my clothes and into the shower I welcomed the beating of the shower. Ten minutes later, I was cleaned up, a pair of sweat pants and a tee was on and I went downstairs.

Ella was still working on her ballet, she was up on her toe, her left leg behind her almost in a straight line with the rest of her body.

“You’re going to hurt yourself,” I said putting my hands on her hips.

“No I’m not.” She rolled her eyes and took her crutches that were against the counter. “Could you carry this out to the table?” She asked at the large bowl of pasta, sauce and turkey meatballs.

“Of course.” We went to the table and sat down.

“How was rehearsal?”

“It went well. We just have to get Fatima out here to help us start choreography. And we have to get an audition in for dancers.”

Ella took a sip of her milk and nodded her head. “Maybe for the second leg of our tour you could dance for us.” I suggested.

“If I’m not away in school for dance.” She pointed out. I must say the girl’s attitude had turned around for the best. She’s been through a lot and for a while I hadn’t heard her talk about dancing again.

“That’s true,” I smiled and took a bite of the pasta. “This is great, thank you for making dinner…again.” I smiled.

“Welcome. So when do I get a whole day of just you and me?”

“Hmm, I don’t know babe. The next couple of months are real crunch time for us.”

“I know,” she took a bite of the meatball.

“I’ll see what I can do for this weekend alright? Why don’t you and Sammy go shopping tomorrow?”

“Maybe, I don’t really need anything.”

“That’s the point of shopping, you get things you don’t need.”

“Mall isn’t me Nick, you know that.”

“Beach?”

“She can’t carry me out to the sand like you can.”

“Hang by the pool.”

“Yeah I may. Now that I have water proof cast on.” There was a few moments of silence as I ate and she pushed around her food the way she usually did. “Nick?” She poke up.

“Yeah?”

“What’s going to happen once the tour starts?”

“With you and I?” I asked and she nodded.

“Well, it depends Elle. One on your leg and your dance; I want you to peruse in your dream but if your leg isn’t ready then I’d like you to come on tour with me.” She put her fork down.

“You’d want me to come with you? I wouldn’t be in the way?”

“No, the guys bring their other halves all the time. I’d get lonely without you.” I said sincerely and she smiled. “You don’t think I’d just leave you?”

“I don’t know?” She shrugged and I got the feeling she felt really small at that moment. I stood up from my chair and went over by her side. I spun her chair to face me.

“I can’t imagine my life without you Ella. You’ve turned me into this man I’ve always wanted to be.”

“I don’t want to be in the way of your career though; it was there before me.”

“Ella, I’m not him. Don’t compare.” Her chin dropped and I tilted it up to kiss her lips. I pulled away and my eyes met hers. “Girl, don’t you know how much I am in love with you?” Her head snapped up a little more.

“You love me?”

“Isn’t it obvious?”

“I’m in love with you.”

“I know you are baby.” I tucked a piece of her hair behind her ear. “I thought you knew I loved you.”

“I guess I did, but hearing the words for the first time just…”

“Means more. I know. Well, Ella, I love you.” I kissed her hard, and her hands wrapped around my head pulling me deeper with her.

“Take me,” she whispered and I picked her up and carried her into our room. Needless to say, we skipped dinner and went straight to dessert.

~*~*~*~*~*

“It’s so hot today,” Sammy called from in the pool lying on a float. Ella was on another on the other side of the pool.

“I know, I love it.”

“I’m getting all the way in,” Sammy hopped of her float and disappeared underwater. The guys and I decided to call it an early day because it was an unusually hot day for Florida. It was over a hundred degrees and we went to my house to go swimming; knowing that the girls would be there.

“COWABUNGA!” Brain yelled and did a cannonball into the pool. The giant wave knocked Ella off her raft.

“Brian!” She yelled spitting water up and grabbing her raft. She then looked up and saw me with a smirk on my face and I jumped in, nearly on top of her. I grabbed her waist as I got in and pulled her into me.

“What are you guys doing here?”

“Came to see my girl, isn’t that obvious?”

“No.”

“Too hot to work!” A.J. jumped in and dunked Sammy under.

“You have sun screen on?” I asked Ella whose shoulders were red.

“Yeah, like an hour ago.”

“Let’s get more on you; I need to put some on too.” We swam to the edge of the pool and I watched Ella struggle to push herself up from the water which was unusual. I gave her a boost and pushed myself out also.

I took a towel and the sunblock from the patio table and dried Ella’s shoulders before applying it to her skin.

She then did the same for me. “I need to use the bathroom, could you hand me my crutches?” She asked and
I walked to the other side of the pool where they were and brought them over. She dried her legs and her cast the best she could and I helped her to her feet.
Her eyes blinked a bunch of times and took her crutches. “Be right back,” she smiled and headed for the house.

Ella went into the bathroom that downstairs and shut the door. She placed her crutches against the door and ran the cold water. She then cupped her hands under the running water and splashed her face a number of times.

Feeling light headed she sat down on the closed toilet she took a hand towel, soaked it and put it on the back of her neck.

“Get it together Ella,” she had whispered to herself. Feeling nauscious all of a sudden she dropped to her knees, opened the lid of the toilet began coughing. Nothing was coming up though besides water she’d been drinking.

“You okay in there?” Alex had asked knocking on the door.

“Uh, I’m fine, be out in a sec-” And she started to dry heave again. This time the door opened, her crutches fell to the floor.

“You sick hon? Want me to get Nick?”

“NO! I mean, I’m fine. I think I got too much sun.”

“Ahh, yeah that will happen.” He rubbed Ella’s bare back. “Nothing will come up huh?”

“No. I need water.”

“Be right back,” Alex closed the door then came out to find me. “Hey man, Ella’s in the bathroom. She’s sorta getting sick but nothing is coming up.”

“What?” I made my way into the house and to the bathroom. I walked in and Ella had her right leg pulled up to her chest, her head on her knee. “What’s going on?”

“Too much sun?” She asked.

“You get sick?”

“Nothing came up.” She started to get to her feet, or I should say foot and I helped her. She fell into the counter and grabbed it hard. “Did you eat today?”

“It’s just too much sun Nick.”

“TELL ME.” I was getting upset now.

“No. And don’t yell at me,” her head was still hanging low.

“You need to eat, have you looked at yourself in a mirror lately? Elle, you’re just skin and bones, you’ve lost any muscle you had; you couldn’t even get out of the pool.”

“Because I can’t work out.”

“But you do and you’re not gaining anything because you’re not fueling yourself. Your ankle will not heal if you have no muscle Ella. You’re smart you know this.”

“Here’s some water,” Alex had come back handing her bottled water.

“Thanks.” She took it and drank a few sips. I watched as her hand shakily brought the bottle to her lips and back down. I was genuinely afraid for her and I didn’t know what to do.

“She’s white as a ghost Nick,” Alex pointed out and I only nodded my head.

“I need to sit,” Ella started going down to her knees again but I put my hand under her arm.

“You’re going to go lay down.” My voice was stern and I handed her the crutches. A.J. took he water and as Ella moved slowly forward we followed. Half way to the living room she stopped.

“I need to sit now,” her voice was low and I picked her up, her crutches crashed to the ground and I put her on the couch. I then disappeared into the kitchen, Alex had stayed with her. I came back out with a yogurt and a spoon and handed it to Ella.

“Eat,” I told her.

“I’m sick to my stomach. In a little bit.”

“No. I’m not doing this. You’re sick because you haven’t eaten. Did you eat yesterday besides the two
bites from dinner?”

“Nick don’t-”

“Don’t what? Watch you kill yourself.”

“Leave me alone,” she threw the yogurt and rolled toward the back of the couch. She curled herself up into a ball and I could hear her crying. I stood up, not having any of it and went back outside.

“Ella,” A.J’s voice softly called rubbing her back. “He’s worried about you; as we are. You’ve been through too much not to take care of yourself. You need to eat girl.”

“I do. I just don’t need to eat as much as you guys.”

“No, but right now you’re eating nothing.”

“I-have to be perfect for Nick.”

“What? You are Doll, what are you talking about? I’ve never Nick be so much in love, the way he is with you.”

“Ella what’s going on?” Sammy came into the room, a towel around her waist.

“Nothing. I’m fine.”

“Not what Nick said. He’s really upset and you’re being a selfish bitch.”

“Sam-”

“A.J. no. She needs to hear this. Sit your boney ass up.” She pulled Ella to a sitting position. “Nick is amazing for you. He’s saved your life countless times and it’s a good thing he stepped in because I was getting tired of it. It’s draining being your friend and to live with you and love you the way he does; you cannot treat him this way. He is NOT Anthony, do not compare. He’s more than attracted to you but not if you’re going to waste away.”

“He’ll fall out of love, and my dancing will be done and-”

“Ella he’s going to fall out of love if you keep being this bitch you’ve become. He’s seen this amazing person who you really are and if you lose that, then yes; he’ll fall out of love. You need to find that girl you once were before you brother died. You could walk into a dark room and light everything up but now darkness follows you.”

“ And this dancing Ella, you’ve had two surgeries on this leg. You need to make new dreams because the way you pop those pain killers tells me it’s going to be a long time before you can even start to walk on it normal. Nick could be that dream. The truth hurts, I’m sorry.” She said the last two words softer as she realized the tears that were streaming down Ella’s face continuously.

I had been standing just outside of the living room listening and it took everything for me not to walk in and hold Ella into my arms. She looked small, weak and vulnerable. Sammy had stood up, took Alex’s hand and walked out. Sam just looked up at me, saying ‘I said what I had to’ and kept walking.

Ella had reached for her crutches that were on the ground and she shakily tried to stand and crashed to her knees.

“Damn it!” She yelled holding her un-casted ankle and more tears streamed down. I walked in at that moment.

“Shh, no hyperventilating today.” I thumbed her cheek. “You hurt your other ankle?” She only nodded her hand still squeezing it. I pried her fingers off to examine it. “You probably just tweaked it.” I picked her up into my arms and carried her up the stairs into my bed room and lay her down.

Ella continued to cry, her hands over her face, her breathing rigid. I gripped her wrists, pinned them behind her and forced her to look in my eyes. “Ella look at me. You’re fine. You need to calm down for me.” Her body was burning up and she was sweating in just her bikini. I stood up, picked her back up into my arms and carried her into the shower. I turned on the cold water and with Ella in my lap, we sat on the floor of the shower.

Almost immediately, she began to relax, her head dropped onto my shoulder and her breathing slowed down. “I’m here, I am not leaving you. We’re together in this no matter what.” I had my own tears form in my eyes as I kissed her forehead.

Five minutes later I felt her body begin to tremble as was mine from the cold water.

“Nick I-I’m sorry,” she whispered and I stood up with her in my arms still. I turned off the water and set Ella on the sink counter. I grabbed a towel from the bar and began to dry her.

“Shh,” I brushed my lips over hers. I dried her leg off and when I reached to her ankle I saw that it had began to already swell up. “Oh boy,” I gently ran my fingers over her foot. I helped her take her swim suit off, wrapped her in a large bath towel and carried her to my room. I then changed into another pair of shorts and went downstairs to get ice.

I took it as though Alex had everyone go which was fine, I didn’t feel like dealing with them all. I also grabbed the yogurt that was on the ground and brought it up with me. I set the ice down on her ankle and sat down next to her.

“Eat half?” I asked stroking her wet hair back. She hesitated and then nodded. I propped a pillow behind her because I could tell how weak she was. She pulled back the seal and stuck the spoon and slowly began to eat.

“You’re going to be alright.” I kissed her temple and wrapped my arms around her.
Chapter 12 by openarmsgirl
“Now you must wear this air cast at all times, unless at therapy. But I’m happy with how well things have healed.” The Doctor told Ella strapping on a white air cast.

She was able to get the cast off three weeks earlier than planned but the doctor was confident. I on the other hand felt nervous for her because I knew she would be doing therapy every day to get it ready to dance. It was the middle of August and we were shooting on tour to start at the end of September.

We thanked the Doctor and Ella stood up using her crutches still and we headed out for the car. “ You sure you want to come to rehearsal with me? It’s for three hours.”

“Yes. I want a sneak peak of what I’ll be seeing during this tour.”

“You got it.” I reached for her hand and drove to the studio where we’d be dancing. “You’re not supposed to be putting weight on your foot yet,” I scolded her as we walked into the building. She was using her crutches but using both feet.

“A little won’t hurt. It feels good.”

“Get off it completely. You need it to heal the right way.” She rolled her eyes at me and I knew I was going to have to watch her like a kid.

We walked inside and everyone but Brian was thee. I walked over to where Fatima was to introduce Ella to her.

“Tima, this is Ella, my girlfriend,” I told her and Ella held out her hand.

“Nice to finally meet you Ella, I’ve heard a lot about you.”

“I can only imagine about what,” she laughed.

“Good things. Look, as soon as you get that ankle healed up, I’d be more than happy to help you get back into dance girl. You still have a great dancer’s body; I know you’ll be able to do it.”

“Thanks that would be awesome.”

“And if you have any suggestions while these old men are dancing, please jump in.”

“Alright,” Ella seemed to glow just talking about dance and at that moment I wish I could take her place and have the broken ankles. I showed her over to a chair where she could watch and Brian arrived. We started working on dances to songs we haven’t performed for and ten songs that fans grew up with.

We were on “Something That I Already Know” and Ella had stood up, one crutch in hand for balance and she was playing around with a step.

“Alex it’s not that hard. Jump cross, spin, step back one, two three,” Fatima showed him for the third time.

“He’s getting mixed up because he’s adding a kick, which actually works because it’s when he start’s singing. So, step back kick, one two and three,” Ella spoke up doing the dance mostly on her right leg. I shot her a warming look as she danced and she ignored it.

“That’s good, alright Alex try that.” Fatima did the steps with him and he picked up on it.
The next three hours were grueling since it was crunch time. Ella was up on her feet more than I’d like but she was having fun and doing what she loved. Fatima seemed to be taking a liking to her and it was obvious that Ella knew her stuff. I wish I could’ve seen her dance before the accident.

“You guys keep practicing and I’ll see you next week,” Fatima called out and we packed our things.

“You ready babe?” I asked Ella who was at a barre with her left leg up on it and she was stretching.

“Yeah,” she gave me a warm smile.

“You have fun?” I asked handing her crutches.

“I did.”

“You ready to go home so I can shower and eat, I’m starving.”

“Yeah, I’m hungry too.” I raised both eyebrows at her and was surprised to hear those words.

“What do you want?”

“Grilled chicken, lettuce and tomato on a Kaiser Roll.”

“Maybe we should go out to eat, I don’t feel like cooking.” I laughed

“I’ll make it,” she rolled her eyes and we headed out.

“No you’ll ice, while I grille.” I opened the passenger door for her and she climbed in. I got in the drivers side.

“Yeah that’s probably a good idea.”

“When’s your therapy tomorrow?”

“Eleven.”

“Okay I’ll probably drop you off tomorrow then I have to go to Howie’s. We have to talk promotional stuff. You think two hours you’ll be there?”

“Yeah. I could drive myself Nick.”

“The truck?”

“Or your car?” She smiled.

“Yeah you’re not pushing a clutch in with that ankle. If you’re comfortable yeah you can take the truck.”

“So then you don’t have to worry about me.”

“Ella please,” I gave her a look. “I worry about you when you’re sleeping.”

“I know and you have to start relaxing. Nick I’m finally starting to feel whole again.”

“I know you are. But I worry about people I love.”

“That’s sweet, let me go puke now,” she pretended to gag and I slapped her playfully. We got home and Ella was settled on the couch flipping through the channels with ice on her ankle and it propped up on a pillow.
I threw the chicken on the grill and hopped into the shower quickly. Ten minutes later, I was downstairs and Ella was watching ‘Harry Potter’ that was on the Family Channel.

“I have the movie on DVD you know,” I said before stepping back outside.

“Yeah but I didn’t want to get up.”

“I can see that,” I laughed and went back out to finish the chicken. The sky was dark and a storm was on its way. Another fifteen minutes and the chicken was done. I brought it inside and Ella came into the kitchen with me to help me fix the sandwiches’.

“I didn’t know it was supposed to rain today,” Ella said nibbling on a slice of tomato.

“Yeah well that’s Florida for you.” We finished making our sandwiches and brought them out into the living room. Ella ate almost half of hers and placed the plate on the coffee table. She then leaned against me and put her legs over the arm rest.

“Nick?”

“Babe?”

“How come you never gave up on me?” I stopped mid-way to taking a bite.

“Why are you asking?”

“I’ve put you through a lot of bull shit.”

“Yes.”

“And you’re still with me.”

“Yes.” I took that bite I started.

“Why?”

“Because I love you.”

“But…” Her voice trailed off trying to figure what to say next. I took the last bite and set my empty plate on the table. I turned so my attention was on her.

“I told you, you just have this gravitational pull. I have a need to protect you. You put up with me too ya know, the late night video games.”

“Thank you.”

“For what?” I put my arm around her, kissed her forehead.

“Not giving up on me.”

“I will never give up.” I squeezed her a little and realized just then how much I really did need her in my life as she needed me.

~*~*~*~*~*~
“Hey you,” I said into my phone.

“Hi baby,” Ella said excitedly. “How is work going?”

“Slow. That’s why I’m calling.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah, I’m probably not going to be home until real late tonight.”

“Awe, alright.”

“Yeah sorry. How did your therapy go? Any problems with the truck?”

“It went well. Truck is fine. Don’t you trust me at all?” She asked sarcastically.

“Sure I do. Okay well, if you need anything my phone is on.”

“Have fun.”

“Will do. Love you.”

“Love you.” She responded and I hung up. The guys and I ordered a pizza for our long night of finishing up final touches for the tour. We only had three arguments and were able to agree on more than we usually did. By eleven pm we decided to call it a night.

I was tired, for not doing anything very physical I felt drained and wanted to be in my bed. I pulled into the garage, shut the door and opened the side door. As soon as I walked into the kitchen I could smell bleached lemons; which meant Ella had cleaned. Dishes were done, counters wiped, floor moped and I could smell fabric softener. She’s been busy too. I threw my keys on the counter and walked towards the living room where I heard the television on.

Ella had both of her legs up on a pillow and an ice pack on each. Late Night TV with Conan was on and she was asleep. I felt guilty for waking her up but knew she’d be more comfortable up in bed. I knelt down on the floor, kissed her cheek and rubbed her head.

“Ella,” I whispered.

“Hmm?” She moaned a little and her eyes fluttered opened. When I came into focus a smile formed on her lips.

“Hi,” I smiled.

“What time is it?”

“Eleven thirty. You cleaned house girl, it looks amazing.”

“Thanks,” she said sleepily.

“You ready for bed?” She sat up a little and nodded. “Both ankles sore?”

“Just a little.”

“You weren’t using your crutches were you?” I pulled her to her feet and she had her weight heavily on me. I picked her up into my arms and she laid her head onto my shoulder.

“I like you coming home to me,” she smiled.

“I like coming home to you too,” I brought her into the bedroom and we got ready for bed.

~*~*~*
The next morning I woke up to Ella kissing my neck. “May I help you?” I asked my eyes still closed.

“I want to go to the beach.”

“Oh, do you now?”

“Yes, and I want blue berry pancakes.”

“You going to make them?”

“Yes, but my air cast and crutches are downstairs.”

“Well, go get them.” I said rolling over. She slapped my back and pushed me towards the end of the bed.

“Niick,” she whined.

“Ellaaa,” I whined back laughing. “Okay okay,” I sat up. “But first a shower,” I picked her up and brought her into the bathroom. I started the shower; put her to her feet and we began kissing under the shower.

“This is the way to wake up,” she smiled, her arms around me.

“Yeah, it’s alright,” I played and we showered together. We finally decided to get out to get our day started and got out of the shower to get ready.

“I don’t know if I have blueberries, I think we finished them up when you made smoothies last week.” Nick said looking into his refrigerator.

“Oh, well, that’s okay. We had a huge thing of them though,” Ella said as she mixed the buckwheat batter.

“I was kidding,” I placed the quart on the counter and pulled the OJ out also.

“Aren’t we funny this morning,” she threw a blueberry at me and I caught it.

“I think so. You want some orange juice?”

“Just a little please,” she began to pour batter on the skillet. My phone started ringing and I picked it up from the counter.

“Hell-O,” I said into it.

“Nick its Brian.”

“I don’t know any Brian’s sorry,” I snickered and Ella shook her head.

“Nick we need to meet today.”

“What? It’s our day off.”

“Fatima has to leave tonight, family emergency. It’s going to be our last practice with her until the tour.”

“Oh. Alright, when?” I asked looking at Ella who was now looking at me for answers. “Alright I understand. Later.” I hung up the phone and walked over to Ella who was now back to flipping the pancakes. I wrapped my arms around her waist.

“Baby,” I said.

“When do you have to go?”

“Now.”

“You can’t even stay to have breakfast?”

“Sorry, I have to go get some gym clothes on. I’ll make it up to you,” I pecked her cheek and took off upstairs. I threw on a pair of basketball shorts and a white tee shirt and sneakers. I bounded down the stairs and back into the kitchen.

“Here,” Ella handed me two large pancakes wrapped in paper towel, my water bottle and glass of OJ.

“You’re the best,” I said kissing her lips.

“Yeah yeah. Have fun,” she said.

“I’ll call you later when I know I’m coming home.”
“Okay. Love you,” she pulled a smile and stated doing dishes. I knew then she wouldn’t be eating but wasn’t going to get into it then.

Ella sighed as she finished the dishes, put the left over pancakes in a Glade tuperwear and limped over to her cell phone.

“Sammy?” She asked into it when Sam answered.

“Be over in a bit, Alex just took off too.”

“Okay,” she hung up the phone and made her way into the living room with a glass of orange juice. She plopped down on the leather sofa and flipped on the television.

“It’s his job, you’ll be with him during tour; don’t be mad. Be understanding.” She talked to herself flipping through the channels. She landed on Good Morning America and sipped the juice. Ten minutes later, Sammy came through the side door and sat next to her.

“It’s okay to be mad,” she said.

“I’m not mad, just disappointed.”

“Yeah.”

“You and A.J. getting serious?”

“I don’t know yet, we’re having fun.”

“That’s good.”

“You and Nick have any fights lately?”

“Nope, we’ve had a lot of sex.”

“Even better, that-a girl,” she patted my leg. “So what do you want to do today?”

“I don’t know, I need to do some therapy on my ankles.”

“Here or at the therapy place?”

“Here, I was there yesterday.”

“Okay, well do that and go shopping.”

“Eh, I don’t know.”

“Ella, come on get something sexy for Nick.”

“Maybe,” she shrugged.

“What do you have to do for therapy?”

“Use this thera-band thing, some toe-raisers; not a lot.”

“Well, get to it. Hey you have any food? I didn’t get a chance for breakfast?”

“Yeah, pancakes just made in the fridge; help yourself.” Ella told her as she got on the floor and began to do her exercises.

An hour later the two girls were on their way to the mall.

“It’s been forever since you and had a real girl’s day.” Sammy said driving her Jetta.

“I know, I’m sorry.”

“Don’t apologize. Things have been crazy and even before everything I wasn’t allowed to hang around you and I quote because ‘I was a bad influence.” Sammy laughed.

“Well, you are,” Ella laughed with Sammy.

“So, you’re really going to go on this tour with them?”

“Yeah. I think it will be good for me to get out of here for a while.”

“I agree, I’m just going to miss you.”

“You and A.J. not going to try things out?”

“We’ll see what happens, but I can’t leave the hospital.”

“I know. See at least I never had like a real job.”

“Keep up with your dance stuff, you’ll get there.”

“Maybe, but for now, I am concentrating on what’s really making me happy right now.” Ella smiled.

“And would that be a certain blondie?”

“Perhaps…”

“I’m happy for you. And I’m impressed with him.”

“How so?”

“You’ve given the poor guy a run for his money. He’s had to be the Superhero twenty-four-seven with you.”

“True. I know I want to do something special for him.”

“Well, we’ll hit up Ms. Secrets’ store, get you two some good wine and dessert.”

“I’m not one much for romantic stuff.”

“I know that’s why I’m here to help.” Sammy winked.
Chapter 13 by openarmsgirl
It was just after ten when I got home. Walking through the side door I saw that the lights were off, and thought that it was unusual. Ella was a night person and assumed she’d be up. As I walked in further there was a single candle lit on the table by the stairs; a note next to it.
I’ve missed you today. Come out back.
Love, E

I immediately had a smile on my face and was excited to see Ella. I went through the sliding glass doors that lead me outside and I could hear music playing. Candles lit the walk way to where Ella was, inside the hot tub. Her hair was piled on top of her head, a sexy smile painted on her face and a tiny hot black bikini.

“Hi,” her voice soft with love called out. I began to take my clothes off and got into the hot tub with my boxers on.

“Hey you,” I wrapped my hands around her waist and pulled her glossed lips to mine. “What’s all this baby?”

“Just a little thank you,” she wrapped her arms around my neck giving me another kiss.

“For what?”

“Loving me and making me feel safe,” her voice was full of sincerity.

“Thank you for loving me,” I kissed her neck.

“Would you like some wine?” She asked gesturing to the bottle being chilled in an ice bucket.

“Let me,” I said and poured the two wine glasses to the top with wine. I handed her the glass and then held my glass up to hers. “Here is to us?” I asked.

“To us,” she smiled and our glasses clinked together. “How was rehearsal?”

“All I can say, is that I am extremely happy I have this hot tub,” I put my arm around Ella an leaned back; enjoying the jets on my back.

“ That good huh?”

“Just a lot of work. We had to do almost the whole show…ten times.”

“Eek. You have to go in tomorrow?”

“No. I get to sleep in with you!”

“You’re going to need to when I’m done with you tonight,” she teased and climbed on top of my lap; straddling me.

“Is that so?”

“Mmm hmm,” she began kissing my neck, my cheek and then lips. I couldn’t help myself, I am a guy; therefore I wanted to take her right there. “And upstairs, you have another surprise.” She whispered and pulled away. “Oh, this CD I made for you,” she said out of nowhere.

“This the Fray right now?”

“Yeah, this song, reminds me of you,” she blushed a little, tilting her head down. I took her into my arms at that moment, took the remote, pressed the back button and the song started again. I then began singing softly with the song.
I found Go on the corner of first and Amistad
Where the West was all but won.
All alone, smoking his last cigarette,
I said, “Where you been?” He said, “Ask
anything.”
Where were you when everything was falling apart?
All my days were spent by the telephone that never rang.
And all I needed was a call that never came.
To the corner of first and Amistad.
Lost and insecure, you found me, you found me.
Lying on the floor surrounded surrounded.
Why’d you have to wait? Where were you? Where were you?
Just a little late, you found me, you found me.
But in the end everyone ends up alone. Losing her,
The only one who’s ever known. Who I am, who I’m not and
Who I wanna be. No way to know how long she will be next to me.
Lost an insecure, you found me, you found me. Lying on the floor,
Surrounded, surrounded. Why’d you have to wait? Where were you? Where were you?
Just a little late, you found me, you found me!
The early morning, the city breaks,
And I’ve been calling for years and years and years and years.
And you never left me no messages
You never sent me no letters
You got some kind of nerve taking all I want!
Lost and insecure, you found me, you found me
Lying on the floor, where were you? Where were you?...-The Fray “You Found Me”
The song finished and Ella’s eyes were set on mine.

“That’s kind of a mixed up song,” I laughed lightly after. “Who am I to you? The one you found, or did I find you?”

“Both. To me, it’s just I was the one who was insecure and lost and well, you did run me over so I guess you found me,” she teased.

“That is true. So what is this next surprise?”

“It’s a surprise!”

“Yes, I understand that. But I’m ready for it,” I wiggle my eyebrows and she poked my side.

“Alright,” she laughed and started to climb out. I managed to get out before her and lifted her up over the side.

“I don’t need you slipping and having to make a trip to the E.R.,” I played setting her down. I handed her the crutches that were against the side of the hot tub.

“How sexy do I look right now?”

“They could make a calendar on you, ‘Gimps in Swimsuit Wear.’ H-O-T-T.” She punched my arm and we started walking inside. I had taken the bottle of wine and our empty glasses in with us. When we reached the stairs, I took her left crutch so she could hold the railing as she made it up the stairs.

“Your arms are getting pretty cut girl,” I noticed her triceps muscle.

“They should be it’s been almost three months on these damn things.” We reached the top of the stairs, I handed her the crutch and we went into the bedroom. Inside there were candles already lit on the night stands and dresser.”

“I’ll be right back,” she winked and disappeared into the bathroom. I took off my wet boxers, put on a pair of dry ones and played with my iPod to get some smooth songs playing. I usually wasn’t one for this romantic stuff; but I had to say, it was turning me on.

A couple minutes later, the bathroom door opened and Ella stood in the door way. Her blonde curly hair was down, she wore a sheer robe that was opened and wore a very small, low cut black laced baby doll lingerie. Her long legs seemed to glow in the candle light.

“Breath taking,” I said sitting up with a smile on my face. She started to walk toward me and noticed how hard she was trying not to limp; I jumped up to my feet and picked her light frame into my arms.

“Thanks,” she said sheepishly. I gingerly set her on the bed, and kissed her bare shoulder as I slipped her robe off her. My hand ran from her shin up her thigh, caresssing as I kissed her lips. She had on her Victoria Secrets “Heavenly” perfume that I couldn’t keep from indulging myself in.

Our night continued with love making, the rest of the bottle of wine and the chocolate dipped strawberries she had made herself. It was four am when we went to bed…

~*~*~*~*~
“Ella, I don’t think this is a good idea,” I tried to convince her for the hundredth time. We were at the dance studio to rehearse and Ella decided to come to start her dancing again. It’s only been two weeks since she started walking on her severely broken ankle.

“Nick, I have to start sometime.” She looked at me sternly as she slipped on a pair of her flat ballet shoes, or whatever they’re called.

“You can’t even go down the stairs yet because it won’t bend right.”

“Go do your boy band dancing,” she flung her hand up in the air at me and stood up at the Barr on the wall.

“Let’s go Nicky,” Howie came and pulled me away and Ella shook her head laughing a little. “She’s a big girl.”

“Stubborn is what she is.”

“How much is she actually going to dance? She’ll probably start with warm up stuff.” Howie tried to assure me. I sighed and went over to where the other guys were working on ‘Beautiful Woman’ for our routine.
I couldn’t help but look in our mirror to watch Ella and see what she was doing. It looked like a lot of bending and stretching, so far, so good.

“NICK!” Brian yelled.

“What?”

“You missed your cue.”

“Sorry,” I said and the music started over. “Do you think she should’ve wrapped her ankles or gotten braces? We should call her Doctor and get something.”

“Stop being over protective, she knows what she’s doing,” Brian patted my shoulder and once again started the music. We went through the song three times, and it went rather smoothly. I like this dance a lot; it was kind of sexy, flirty and fun. I know I sound like I should be Gay but I’m not.

Another forty minutes of dance Brian finally let us take a break. Sweaty and thirsty I went over to my gym bag, which happened to be near Ella and I grabbed my towel and water bottle. I watched her as she up on toe, not Pointe; I guess the balls of her feet and was trying to do some turns.

She was so concentrated in what she was doing, with her iPod in her ears, she didn’t see me. Her forehead and chest glistened with sweat, her hair was starting fall out of the messy bun she had on. As she put her left foot in front of her, she went up on toe and went to spin around.

Her foot immediately went on heel and she fell to her knee. “Shit,” she swore, grabbed her ankle, rolled it around and stood back up. She did a few toe raisers and tried the spin again. Same thing happened and she remained on the floor.

“Give it time,” I said taking a seat next to her and she took the towel from my neck and dabbed her forehead with it.

“I know, just frustrating. I’m doing beginner beginniner stuff and it won’t hold my fat ass up.” Her voice was sharp and annoyed. She stood up on her feet and went to go for it again and I grabbed her wrist.

“Elle,” I pulled her to me and she glared at me.

“What?”

“You’ve been practicing for an hour. Your ankle is swollen already; you told me you weren’t going to overdo it.”

“No pain no-”

“No future.” I cut her off. She pulled away from me, rolled her eyes and started practicing again.

“Nick breaks over,” A.J. called. I let out a sigh and walked back over to the guys. For the next two hours while we danced, fixed corrections and took at least three more breaks; Ella continued to dance, stretch and was doing some sort of leaps. Every fall she took to the ground seem to give her the initiative to get back up and go for the skill harder.

“Maybe you should tell her to stop Nick. She seems like she’s in pain, I saw her just take a couple of pills.” A.J. pointed out taking a sip from his G2.

“I tried earlier. I didn’t realize she still had pain pills left over.” I said. “Are we done? If we are, then she’ll leave easier.”

“Yeah, its lunch time,” Howie pointed out and I walked over to my stuff. Ella was on the ground, her legs straight out in front of her and her chest was flat to her knees.

“Ella, you ready?” She nodded her head and sat up slowly. I heard her take in a sharp breath and let it out unevenly. I squatted down and tilted her face to look at me. “Hey, what are the tears for?” I brushed a stray tear.

“I just didn’t realize how weak I’d be,” she wiped her face. I looked down her long legs, she had bare feet now and both ankles were twice the size of what they were when we came.

“Let’s get you home to ice,” I took both of her hands into mine and pulled her up. She slipped on her flip flops and picked up her bag. We said good-bye to the guys and walked to my truck. Ella was limping badly and I had this feeling in me that she wouldn’t be able to get her ankles strong enough to where she once was.

“What?” She asked.

“Nothing,” I looked up.

“You’re staring at me.”

“It’s nothing babe, let’s go, I’m hungry.”

“Surprise.” She smiled and we got into the truck. The ride home was rather quiet and I kept stealing glances at Ella. “You keep staring at me, what gives?” She asked.

“You seem distant.”

“Just thinking.”

“Obviously, about what?”

“I’m trying to be positive about this whole situation but how far do I go?” She sounded like a lost child, looking for answers.

“You’ll just know I have a feeling Elle, your body will just know. But you have to listen to it. Today, you pushed too far, too soon; you know it.”

“If I want to audition for the winter session I have to get moving.”

“But you’ll also push yourself back if you don’t let yourself heal,” I put the truck into park after we pulled into the driveway. Ella let out a sigh as she gathered her gym bag and opened the door. “Ella,” I grabbed her arm so would turn to look at me. “I’m not trying to be mean; I’m trying to be rational.”

“But you don’t know me or my body Nick,” she hopped out of the truck and as she did she let out a cry and was on the ground. I hurriedly climbed out and ran to her side. She was on her hands and knees, her head down.
As I went to help her up, she pushed my hand away and sat down grabbing both ankles, her head in her knees. I didn’t really know what to do, if I were to help her I’d make her feel worse than she already felt, if I left; that would just be me being a shitty boyfriend. I knew she was feeling a thousand emotions right now aside from being in pain.

“Baby you should get your feet up and ice,” I hesitated to put my hand on her shoulder and when I finally did she shrugged me away.

“Go,” she whispered, keeping her head down. I sighed, took both of our bags and went inside. I threw the bags on the floor frustrated and went to the refrigerator and took a beer out. I twisted the cap off and took a long pull on the cold refreshment. My phone rang and I answered it before it rang the second time.

“What?” I snapped.

“Whoa, bad timing?” A.J asked on the other line.

“Kinda, what’s up?” I took another pull.

“Sammy and I were wondering if you two wanted to do something. She’s kinda freaking out about missing her best friend when tour comes.”

“I don’t know, Ella is sitting in the driveway crying.” My voice sounded annoyed.

“What?”

“She’s hurt and won’t let me help her, she’s just having a break down.”

“Sammy wants to talk to you,” A.J. told me and I finished my beer.

“Nick?” Sammy spoke into the phone.

“Yeah?” I asked taking another beer out of the fridge.

“What’s going on?”

“We were talking about her dancing in the truck, and I told her how I thought she pushed herself too hard today and she jumped out of the truck, pretty literally and it was too much on her ankles and she fell. But she won’t let me get her inside, she told me to just go,” I now sounded more upset and hopeless, I looked out the window and she still sat on the black pavement. Her arms wrapped around her knees, her knees to her chest, head on her knees.

“How long she been there?”

“About ten minutes now. It looks like it’s going to rain.”

“Look, I don’t know if she wants me telling you this but the anniversary of her brother’s death is kinda soon.”

“How soon?”

“Tomorrow.” Sammy’s voice was sad. “It’s only been a year Nick. Cam was her best friend and that’s when Anthony went crazy; he was his best friend too. She needs you, don’t let her tell you otherwise.” I put the beer down I was about to finish off and the rain started to come down.

“Thanks Sammy,” I said.

“Call me if you or her needs me. Especially tomorrow, I may come out to see her. I’ll call you to see how she is. Let her come to you, just let her know you’re there and not leaving her.”

“I will, I’ll talk to you later,” I hung up the phone and walked outside into the rain. I knelt down onto one knee, tilted up Ella’s chin and she looked up to me.

“I’m sorry Nick, I didn’t mean to be a bitch.”

“I know, can you stand?”

“I don’t know, they’re throbbing,” she said and I put her arm around my neck to help her up. “Ah no, my left one is shot,” both of her arms were around my neck for balance. “Nick, I don’t want to treat you the way I do, I just…” She looked up into my eyes, her lower lip quivered and tears rolled down her face.

“We’re soaked come on,” I picked her up into my arms and brought her into the living room. I turned on the fire and wrapped a blanket around her shaking body. “Take your clothes off, I’m getting you some ice,” I walked into the kitchen to get the ice packs and when I came out, Ella’s clothes were on the floor and the blanket wrapped tightly around her.

“Nick,” she whispered and put her legs up onto a pillow and gently put the ice packs on. “Ah,” she winced as I put it on her left ankle.

“Sorry,” I said and took my shirt off. “What am I going to do with you?” I asked sitting on the couch with her.

“Leave me,” she pressed her lips together.

“I am not leaving you.” I cupped her face with my hands. “You need to open up with me though. You know you pushed yourself too far today don’t you?” I asked sternly but with care. She nodded her head.

“You know what you need to do to get stronger and by putting everything into one day is going to give you a setback,” I studied her face and she nodded her head and put her face into her hands. “There’s reason you went so hard.” I got behind her and pulled her into my arms and kissed the top of her head.
I felt Ella’s arms tighten around my waist, her face buried into my chest. “I’m so alone” she choked out and sobbed into me.
End Notes:
Just wanted to thank everyone for the feed back! Keep them coming and the story will keep coming!
Chapter 14 by openarmsgirl
I felt Ella’s arms tighten around my waist, her face buried into my chest. “I’m so alone” she choked out and sobbed into me.

“Baby you have me,” I held her tighter because I didn’t know what else to do.

“I am not this person. I am not this weak and distressed person. I’m strong and I’ve let my guard down.”
“That’s a good thing. It means you’re being you around me.”

“But this isn’t me and Cam would be telling me to suck it up and keep going.” Her voice grew and she sat up a little.

“You’ve been through so much in one year; you need to be more forgiving to yourself. I am in love with the person I am with right now.”

“A year tomorrow,” her voice was calmer. “Cameron died a year tomorrow and that’s when everything started going bad and I lost control of my life.”

“I’m sorry sweetie,” I kissed her cheek and held her tighter.

“I just tried not to think about it and as I stopped dancing, I started thinking about it all more. It was the one thing I could do to escape Anthony. I wanted to escape from this emptiness and loneliness I felt.”

“You should’ve told me, I would’ve taken you away somewhere today to keep you busy.”

“I wanted to dance though,” she defended.

“I know baby. You will,” I rocked her gently in my arms. “You’re such a strong woman and you amaze me every day.”

“I’m so tired,” her eyes closed, head rested on my chest.

“It’s okay, take a nap.”

“I know you’re starving, go eat. I need a shower.”

“How about I come shower with you, no sex, just shower? Especially since you can’t even walk,” I tugged on the last part playfully. She nodded her head and I brought her upstairs and we showered.

After us both put comfy clothes on and I lay Ella in bed. “Do you think we should get an x-Ray on this one?” I asked looking at her swollen and bruised ankle.

“No, it’s probably just sprained.”

“I’m going to stabilize it,” I went into the bathroom to where her wrap and air cast were. I then gently began to wrap her ankle and strapped the air cast on. “Do you want anything to eat?”

“No, I just want to sleep for a bit.”

“Alright, I’ll be back up after I have a sandwich and with more ice.”

“I love you Nick.”

“I know.” I kissed her briefly, pulled a light blanket over her and walked out of the room.

~*~*~*~*~

“How is she doing?” Sammy asked. She and A.J. stopped over later that night on their way out to dinner.

“She’s been sleeping for five hours straight. I took an hour nap but couldn’t sleep anymore.”

“She’ll be alright. Let her get through tomorrow, I don’t know if she’ll want to go to his grave or not.”

“Is it around here?” A.J. asked.
“Yeah. She hasn’t been since the funeral. She wasn’t allowed to.”

“Wasn’t allowed to?” I asked. “Anthony wouldn’t let her?”

“No, he was pretty messed up. He saw the whole thing happen. I mean that doesn’t excuse him for being the person he became but I know that had a lot to do with everything.”

“Okay,” I sighed and ran my hands through my hair.

“Well, we’re going out to dinner. I’ll call her tomorrow.”

“Alright, thanks. Later guys.”

“See ya man, good luck.” They walked out and I headed up stairs to check on Ella. When I went into the bedroom she wasn’t there but the light in the bathroom was on. I went up to the door and saw her standing at the sink. She had put three pain killers into her palm and then into her mouth. She swallowed and then took the cup from the sink, filled it with water and took a long swig.

“Hurting?” I asked. She was standing on one foot, both hands on the counter and looking at me through the mirror.

“Yeah. I was stupid today. It won’t happen again.”

“We all do stupid things, it’s alright,” I wrapped my arms from behind her and kissed her cheek. “A.J. and Sammy were here, they say hi. Sammy wanted to just check to see how you were.” Ella nodded her head and tilted her head back.

“She’s worried about you, as am I.”

“I’m okay now. Promise,” she smiled. “You want to play some video games and order a pizza?”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah!”

“Sounds fun, here you’re going to use these,” I went into the closet near the bathroom and came out with her crutches. She moaned but took them. “Go set up any game you want and I’ll order pizza. Pepperoni and mushroom alright?”

“Sounds great,” she smiled, leaned into me and kissed me hard. “Thanks for being you,” she winked and walked out. After she left the bathroom, I opened her prescription bottle and dumped out the rest into my palm. She had no refills left and five pills remaining. I put them back and put the Vicidine back into the cabinet.

I pulled my phone out, ordered us a medium pizza and went to where my entertainment room was, down the hall. She had put in some zombie game I had and maybe played once. I had to laugh at the site.

“What?” She asked looking up from the bean bag.

“Nothing, you look adorable killing zombies.” She stuck her tongue out and I picked up the controller. “Pizza will be here in twenty,” I told her. We played for about ten minutes and I was surprised that she was actually pretty good. We both ended up getting bored and put in Rock Band.

“I want to be guitar,” she said reaching for it.

“No way. I am.”

“You sing you are in a band.”

“Yes, but I like the guitar. You sing.”

“Have you heard me?”

“Nope, that’s why I want you to.” I smiled showing all of my teeth and handed the microphone to her. She rolled her eyes and took it.

“We’re taking turns,” she glared. “And I’m picking the songs I want to sing,” she shot.

“Fine by me.” She went down the list and landed on Red Hot Chili Peppers, ‘Give it Away Now.’ “This is a hard song.” I told her and she clicked on hard for her level.

The song started and she kept up with all of the words. She actually wasn’t too bad. We continued to go onto ‘Eye of the Tiger’ by Survivor, then ‘Any Way You Want It’ and it was Disturbs ‘Get Down with the Sickness’ when the door bell rang.

“Pizza,” I jumped up and headed down the stairs. I returned a few minutes later with a roll of paper towel, two water bottles and the pizza. I set it on the coffee table and opened it up.

“I want to play guitar,” she said opening her water.

“I think you’re doing a great job singing,” I told her and put a piece of pizza in front of her.

“Yeah because it’s a good laugh for you.”

“No, you’re actually rather good. Quite the range of voice you have. I mean you tore that Peppers’ song up.” I took a large bite of pizza.

“Well, I’m going to sing Nirvana’s ‘Drain You’ then.” She picked up the microphone.

“Eat before its cold.”

“I like it cold,” she handed me the guitar. I took the guitar and she had already started the song.
We continued to play and I finally let her play the guitar and I took my turn singing. She was good at the guitar, which later I found out she was a closet ‘Guitar Hero.’ We must’ve played for hours because it was dark by the time we called a quit.

“Okay I think the pizza is cold enough now, I think you can have a piece,” I laughed putting the guitar away.

“My stomach hurts,” she said holding her stomach.

“Probably because you had a yogurt all day, so eat.” I watched as she hesitantly picked up a piece of pizza. She slowly took a small bite and looked like she was almost in pain swallowing it. I sat down in a chair in front of her and she looked up at me.

“You’re just going to watch me eat?”

“Yes.”

“Nick, you’re creeping me out.”

“Well, you’re scaring me. So eat.” She sighed and took a large bite. She chased it with her water and took another bite.

“Better?”

“Whole thing.”

“I don’t eat crust.”

“Fine.” She rolled her eyes and five minutes later she was finished eating her slice. She drank the rest of her water and looked back up at me.

“What do you want to do?” She asked.

“Movie?”

“Downstairs?”

“Yeah.”

“Okay,” she stood up with her crutches and walked out of the room. “I’m going to go to the bathroom; I’ll be down in a minute. Pick the movie.” She smiled and disappeared into the bathroom. I took the pizza box and paper towel and brought them downstairs. I decided on ‘The Number 23,’ and put it into the DVD player.

A few minutes later Ella came down the stairs, holding both rails to get down and hopping on one foot. I went over to her side; she put an arm around my neck and made our way to the couch. We snuggled up under a blanket, enjoying the fact that it was still raining and I pressed play with the movie.

Ella tilted her chin up and kissed my lips. “Did you brush your teeth?” I asked.

“I uh, well, in case I wanted to make out with you during the movie,” she smirked and kissed me again.

“Hmm, okay I like that idea,” I kissed her back.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9628