Class Reunion by scarlett
Summary:

They were a group of different individuals who's gone through one whole day of detention in high school. From there, a bond formed that took them to greater heights in their life, realizing the importance of friends, family and love.


 

 

 

 


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group
Genres: Alternate Universe, Dramedy, Romance
Warnings: Child Abuse, Sexual Content, Violence
Challenges:
Series: Class Reunion
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 6714 Read: 9290 Published: 03/07/09 Updated: 03/11/09
Story Notes:

Here's the gang...

KEVIN He looks like the typical jock but he's actually a geek. He's the youngest among the brood of three men from the influential Richardson family and is pressured by the demands and expectations they have from him.


NICK He's gay, he's okay and that's what drives his father crazy. He's one of the brightest in his sophomore class but it's not enough for his dad. What will make him go back to the other side?


BRIAN The silent-type who worked his way to finish school, unlike his rich friends. No one knows what really goes on in his mind. And it often drives his friends crazy.


LEIGHANNE She's the prom queen and she can have the opportunity that she wants right in front of her. She's pressured by her family to do things they wanted her to be but in her heart, there's only one thing that she wants.


SAMANTHA The typical wild child, the one who's often misunderstood but undoubtedly, the smart one in her class. She speaks her mind and knows what she wants...a good life for her mother and her sisters.


JADE She acts like a boy and never cared about anyone else. But beneath the strong surface is a vulnerable person who just wanted a complete family and someone to love her.

 

SOON ...

 

 

 

1. Prologue by scarlett

2. Chapter 1 by scarlett

3. Chapter 2 by scarlett

4. Chapter 3 by scarlett

5. Chapter 4 by scarlett

Prologue by scarlett

 

Detention.

Nick sighed as he constantly listens to Jade's tapping on her desk. "Jade, stop it." But the girl ignored him. He sighed and puts his head down his desk in surrender. This is agony.

Kevin Richardson shakes his head as he silently watched the two sophomores. He knows that Jade was so bored, and so does every one of them. They did nothing but sit inside the detention room. It's almost five in the afternoon. He's never been in detention before. He doesn't know what to do. And it seems like the other five students here were first-timers too. He looked at them one by one.

Jade Archer is the wonder kid he's been hearing about. She may only be a sophomore but she's already in the girls' basketball varsity team. Another amazing thing there is that she's also an honor student in her class. Probably the reason why she's wary of being in detention because there is varsity practices after school and she wasn't able to be there. It was her fault anyway. He heard about the lab disaster earlier. Her classmate, Nick, was her lab partner. Nick Carter, on the other hand, admitted his fault as well. He's a contributing writer in the school paper and due to the demands of his extra-curricular activity, he wasn't able to prepare for the laboratory class with Jade the next day. Just like Jade, he's also a struggling student who wanted to maintain his good grades and his extra school work. But he wasn't able to manage it today.

Jade stomped towards the board and wrote a chemical equation. Nick groaned in embarrassment. "I know that if I put zinc, it will create an unusual chemical reaction to the compound and it will explode."

"Why did you do it anyway?" Brian Littrell asked her.

Jade continued to glare at Nick. "Because this fucking gay forgets what he had to do in our lab class. He knows that I'm also busy with basketball as he is with the school paper, but he forgot this responsibility and let me did all the work." She frowned. "Nick, I'm tired too. I got home late but that's not an excuse to forget what I have to prepare for today's lab class. Don't use a lame excuse on me. You know me."

"I said sorry." Nick tried again. And yes, he's more in touched with his feminine side but does she really have to say it? "It's my fault."

Jade glared at him again then turned to Samantha Griffin, one of the seniors in that room. Only she and Nick are the sophomores. The other four were senior students and classmates. "What are you doing here, Sam?"

"I distributed flyers in Keats' class." Samantha replied, referring to her continuous campaign to save sea animals.

"In Keats' class? Did you know how stupid it is to do that? And of all people, in Keats' class?" Jade raised an eyebrow. "You should do better than that. Give me some of your flyers and I'll help you, but not in Keats' class." The notorious teacher, Helga Keats, is famous for giving students a sample of a life in hell inside her classroom.

Kevin just silently sits at the back of the classroom. He noticed Brian taking a quick glance to Leighanne Wallace. He knew his best friend secretly admires their beautiful classmate and that has made him present today in detention.

Brian looked away. Samantha turned to him. "You know, Brian, my uncle got a part-time job offer for you. Will you just accept it so that you won't be always late for school? And just ask Leigh out, for Pete's sake!" she rolled her eyes.

Brian didn't say anything. He's the silent-type and many feared him because no one knows what really goes on in his mind. But being his best friend, Kevin knows that Brian just had a lot of things in his mind. His friend came from a poor family where his parents struggled to get him to school. Brian has three younger siblings after him and he chose to work after school to help his parents. He's good-looking and a lot of girls like him a lot but he has no time for it. According to him, he can't afford to take a girl out when the money he earns is just enough to help his parents to have something to eat everyday. That's the reason why he couldn't make a move on Leighanne no matter how much he wanted to. He got used to be contented on just looking at Leighanne from afar.

"Why don't you ask him out instead?" Samantha turned to Leighanne. The other one blushed. Leighanne Wallace is every essence of a prom queen that anyone could imagine. She's beautiful and smart. And that's what also brought her into detention today. She's a part-time model and decided to cut classes. While on her way to school, she met guys on the way who doesn't want to leave her alone. Brian happened to be late in school too because of his early part-time job and saw what's going on. He found himself in a fight with them and tried to protect Leighanne from them. They got to school afterwards but unfortunately, the vice principal caught them and send them to detention.

When Leighanne only blushed, Samantha sighed. She can't make a couple out of these two. They're both shy although obviously, they liked each other. She turned to Kevin, who's been silent all along. "You know, if you don't have homework, you can always ask me, Kev."

Kevin rolled his eyes. "Shut up, Sam."

"Have you ever thought about it? Senior class president was put in detention because he has no homework." Samantha continued.

"I can make an article for this," Nick excitedly clapped his hands at the sudden idea. When his best friend, Jade, glared at him, he stopped. They're quite the opposite. "You know, Jade. God got it wrong about us. I should be the girl and you should be the boy, and that will save us a whole lot of a problem."

"You know, Nick. You're so cute and it's a waste that you're gay."

"I'm beautiful." Nick corrected his friend.

Brian rolled his eyes. It's really a waste that this boy is gay. He heard that Nick's father couldn't accept his son's preference and freaked out. He began to think that the bruises he saw once in this boy's body were given by his father. Poor guy. It wasn't his fault if he's more in touched with his feminine side.

Everyone went silent. The only noise they can hear is the agonizing ticking of the clock. They all turned in surprise when the door suddenly opened and revealed Miss Helga Keats. Samantha silently groaned upon seeing the teacher again. They flinched when the door slam shut. "Get a piece of paper." Helga told the six as she walked towards the teacher's table. She tried not to smile upon seeing the diversity of the participants in detention today: the senior class president, the social rebel, the class loner, the prom queen and a couple of identity-confused kids. She watched as they quickly get something she asked them to. She actually liked these kids and they may disappoint her sometimes, she had strong belief of what the good future holds for them.

"I want all of you to make an essay with the topic about what you wanted to be in your life." She looked at them one by one. Nick Carter is the only one who is enthusiastic. This is going to be interesting. She's looking forward to their finished essay later.

 

Chapter 1 by scarlett

 

 

Many years later...

"This is the story of my life," Kevin told his wife, Kristin, and kissed her long and hard on the lips. Then he opened a big photo album for her to see. "I'm glad that you're now part of mine," he added. On the first page of the album was a photo of him together with the other five students he was with in the detention room in high school. A bond formed after that incident which created a long and lasting friendship which has been tested by time.

"This picture was taken during my high school graduation. Nick and Jade were still sophomores but they never failed to attend our graduation. There are Brian, Leighanne and Samantha," Kevin pointed to his other friends in the picture. Samantha and Leighanne, who were sitting nearby and munching potato chips only listened to the two.

"My bridesmaids," Kristin laughed as she looked at it.

"It was hilarious when that picture was taken. Everyone was trying to be in front to get the best shot but we ended up falling off towards the photographer. Nick, who thought he got the front all covered, was pushed by the other girls and ended up under the pile when we fell." Kevin laughed at the memory. "Imagine that Brian and I were on top. Poor Nick." He shakes his head.

"It must have been really fun in high school," Kristin looked at the other pictures. Nick always wanted to be the center of every photograph.

"It was fun. We won't trade it for anything else." Samantha told her.

"I never thought that Jade could look so boyish then. Her hair was so short and she always wore baggy clothes." Leighanne added, receiving a replied nod from her friends.

Kevin laughed. "I was grateful that we convinced her to wear a gown for our wedding."

"I heard that," Jade arrived and winked to them. Her fiancee, AJ, followed behind. "I was practicing in wearing a gown since I've already considered marrying AJ even if he doesn't know about it yet."

"I wouldn't allow you to wear pants on our wedding day, Jade. I couldn't imagine explaining it to our grandchildren why their grandmother was wearing the same thing like their grandfather," AJ caught Jade's hand and pulled her down on the nearby couch. They kissed. Samantha and Leighanne rolled their eyes. These two were inseparable since they finally got together.

Kristin looked at her watch. "It's almost dinner. I wonder where Nick and Brian are." She turned to them. "So, you said your friendship started after that fateful day in detention. What happened after that?"

Kevin, Samantha, Leighanne and Jade looked at each other. Memories came back to them during their high school days...



~~~



High school days...

"Oh, please, Sam. You can sleep over in my house," Leighanne pleaded a she bit her lower lip. She clutched her books in her arms as she and her classmate, Samantha, are walking down the corridor. The classes are out for that day and they will be going home then.

"I need to ask my Mom about it first, Leigh."

"Home alone again?" Kevin asked. They didn't notice him and Brian are walking behind them and heard their conversation. Leighanne is inviting Samantha to stay for the weekend because her parents are on a business trip, as usual. She doesn't want to be alone even though there are people working for her parents in which she knew are bound to look out for her while they're gone. She hates being alone in a big house.

"After the detention incident, I felt alone." Leighanne tells them. She felt comfort just merely being surrounded by these people she was with in detention. She trusted them more than the ones she used to go with. The people she called her friends before were now avoiding her. Just because she spent the rest of the day in detention with these people who were branded as geeks and weirdos, they didn't want to be associated with her too. It wasn't her loss anyway. She found her new friends to be greater and more trustworthy than them.

"Your followers ditched you?" Kevin smirked. He looks like the typical football jock but he's more into academics. He's the president of the senior class, apart from his brothers who graduated before him and established a legendary name in the high school football team.

Brian chuckled too, but he didn't say anything. Leighanne blushed. She loves the attention she's getting from him. They always teased them together but she didn't mind. She actually likes him, a lot more than anyone thinks. He's the epitome of the man she wants, the one who is serious with his life and the one who knows what he wants in his life. He amazed her in many simple ways.

"I ditched them. They don't want to be with me anymore when they learned that I bonded with you." She smiled. They are outside of the school building and now walking across the lawn towards the main street.

"I'm right then," Samantha concluded. "They just wanted to be with you because you do modeling. They have hopes of getting a break if they are associated with you but when you chose to be with us, they're more concerned of their reputation here in school." She shakes her head.

"Hi," Jade suddenly came from nowhere and put an arm on Samantha's shoulders. The four turned to her. They also saw her friend, Nick, coming their way. These two sophomores won't leave them alone since detention. They always seem to came from nowhere and accompany them wherever they go. Kevin sighed, but he's amused. He looked at them like younger siblings he never had.

"Wow, Leigh. I love your new do. Where did you have your hair done?" Nick exclaimed as soon as he gets near them. The seniors stopped as the two sophomores now begin to do their thing of asking them about anything they could think of. They're always full of energy.

Leighanne laughed. "Yesterday. I modeled for a brand of shampoo and they gave me an amazing new hairstyle to match with the project they had for a commercial. I can refer you to the hairstylist, if you want."

"No, it's okay. I'm fine with my hair." Nick ran his fingers through his soft blonde hair in vain. Brian shakes his head. It's really a waste that this young man is gay. If only he's straight, he can attract girls without any effort. "By the way, I made some pasta last night. I invite all of you to come over my place and try it. I just had this amazing discovery called mozzarella and parmesan cheese," he and Jade chuckled, "and I'd like you to have the first taste."

"You love cooking, Nick?" Samantha asked.

"I intend to be a chef someday." Nick pulled Samantha and Leighanne with him. The two women were trying to make fun of his hair. When he raised his arm to avoid their hands, his three-fourths sleeve moved higher and they saw a mark on it. He didn't notice it as he continues to laugh. Kevin and Brian looked at each other but didn't say anything.

Jade, on the other hand, is concerned about her best friend. "Your dad hurt you again?"

The three stopped at her question. Nick smiled bitterly. "Do I have a choice if I'm more in touch with my feminine side?"

Jade rolled her eyes. "You should not allow him to do that to you!" She went to him to pull down his raised sleeve. The others only watched them, looking like lovers in quarrel. It's just that Jade is overly concerned for her best friend's sake.

"Jade...we've already talked about this."

"And I said that you should have reported what you're dad's been doing this to you. You don't deserve this just because you're gay."

Nick's jaw clenched. "Let's drop this, okay? He's still my father. He just won't understand but someday, he will. He will be proud of me." With that, he shakes his head and walked ahead, still inviting them to come over his place to taste his pasta.

 

Chapter 2 by scarlett

 

 

Samantha stopped on her tracks when a group of girls, headed by her arch-enemy Eula, blocked her way. Eula is her rival to almost anything in school. In their senior year, she's her rival for candidacy to be a valedictorian. She raised an eyebrow. "Is there anything you want, Eula?"

"You're not going to get that scholarship in UCLA, Samantha."

Although that's the thing that she feared to happen since she only had a single parent who sends her to school, she won't let Eula see her personal struggle to get that scholarship. The university offered one scholarship grant to the person who will be awarded as valedictorian in their graduating class. She was challenged by that and tried to do every possible thing to get it. That way, she will be able to help her mother in some way because if she didn't get the scholarship, she may not go to college after all. "And what are you going to do then, huh?"

"I have the best project in Physics and I was chosen to do the debate next week in the school program." Eula said, with a triumphant smile.

Samantha shakes her head. "That doesn't mean that you'll win over me, Eula. Don't get all your hopes up. I'm still the best mathematician here." She walked off after that. She knew she is threatened by Eula but she won't let that girl get the upper hand. She needs the scholarship and she needs to finish until college. That way, she will be able to help her mother and sisters to get a better life.

She went out of the school building towards the ground where she found Kevin and Brian under a shaded tree. It is lunchtime and these two probably got through eating. Kevin is reading a World History book while Brian is taking a nap as he lies comfortably on the grass. When Kevin saw her, he gestured her to be silent and pointed to Brian.

"He's on night shift." He whispered. Samantha sits beside him. "Are you alright?" She bit her lower lip. She started telling her friend about her dilemma in going to college and how her rivalry with Eula becomes tougher. Kevin sets down his book and leaned against the tree behind them. The cool wind blew softly and it felt peaceful as they sat in silence when Samantha is done with her story. "You can do it, Sam." Kevin tells her.

"I hope so. I want it so bad. I need it so bad." Samantha sighed in frustration. They looked up when Leighanne came and sits beside Samantha. She takes a glance on the sleeping Brian before looking to them.

"What is Jade doing there?" Leighanne asked them when she looked out towards the open field where their young friend is jogging around the track.

"She's upset," Brian told them. He's already awake and sat up. "She's been running around for a long time now." He shakes his head.

"Nick told us that her parents are getting a divorce." Kevin added.

"Oh..." Leighanne bit her lower lip as she watched Jade stopped jogging and bent down, her hands on her knees. Slowly, she slid herself down the rubber track and they saw her crying. Instantly, the group stood up to go towards her.



~~~



Nick crumpled the paper in hand and sighed in frustration. He placed another sheet in the typewriter and began typing another article to be featured in the school paper. He felt so inspired having newfound friends in the form of the senior students such as Kevin, Brian, Samantha and Leighanne. He doesn't have many friends probably because of his sexual preference. Was it his fault if he's gay?

He continued to type. He's going to write something about friendship and love that started in high school. He's inspired to write it when he saw the way Brian glanced at Leighanne the other day. Those two were silently in love and the sight is beautiful. He wished that someday, there will be a chance for them.

As he went on with his article, he felt a pain in his arm. He stopped and touched his arm. Biting his lower lip, he leaned against his chair. Thinking about his father, Robert Carter couldn't accept that his son is gay. He is a businessman who had hopes that his only child will succeed him one day with his business. When he found out about Nick's different attitude, that's when the beatings started. Nick tried to overcome the pain for he knew that his father is only clouded with fear that someday, his son won't be worthy to be his heir. Nick would prove him wrong.

"Still hurting?"

Nick didn't say anything when he heard his friend. Jade went inside the office, where the school paper club is. She held his arm tight and Nick winced at the pain. "I don't understand why you're letting your father do this."

"It's alright. Someday, my father would understand me."

"Nick..."

Nick gave her a glare and rolled his eyes. He shakes his head and returned into typing his next article but frustratingly though, his mind is blocked. "How about you? How's the divorce going?"

Jade sits beside her best friend. "My brothers agreed on living with our uncle next month. I don't want things to happen but I don't have any choice. I think I'll stay with my uncle, too. Anyway, Uncle Greg offered his house to us since he doesn't have any family. He wanted all of us there instead of us choosing which between our mom and dad to stay." For rare situations like this, she cried. Nick is the only one who can see the vulnerability in her. Everyone thought of her as a strong person, incapable of breaking down and feeling hopeless. He pulled his friend and hugged her. "It felt like my life is incomplete now that my parents broke up. It really affects me. You know, I can't even stand arriving home to a quiet house. My parents already moved out and lived on separate houses."

"At least, they're still alive." He said. He remembered his mother who died two years ago. His mother is the only person who can understand the things he want and supported him in every step of the way.

Jade didn't say anything. Her only response is to gather herself closer to her best friend's body. She went to see Nick to find comfort in his arms. She knew that he's the only one she can run to, in times like this. Her brothers are staying in the university and they couldn't be with her now. With Nick, she can feel somehow relieved that even though her family fell apart, she still had him. 

 

 

End Notes:
thanks for reading. :D
Chapter 3 by scarlett

 

 

Kevin dropped his bag on the counter and took a cookie from a jar. "What's for dinner?" He asks the family's personal chef, Irwin. The older man turned to his assistant to request something before giving his attention to Kevin.

"What do you want?"

"Just anything. I need to have dinner so that I can go upstairs and do my homework."

"I only have baked ziti for you. Your brothers requested me to prepare a special dinner tonight because they invited some clients over for some business matter." Irwin told him. He takes out something from the fridge and placed it in the microwave to heat it.

"Whatever, Irwin. Can someone bring it over to my room?"

"I can ask Sebastian, Kevin."

Kevin wears his eyeglasses and grabs his bag. "Thank you so much." He turned towards the door. When he's on his way upstairs, he met his brother, Tim.

"Kevin, you will join us for dinner tonight." That's an order from Tim.

"I can't. I got trig final exams tomorrow." He's about to turn away when Tim takes his eyeglasses. "Hey!"

"Dad requested your presence at the dinner later. You'll be holding a junior executive position in the company right after you graduate to train you for handling the family business someday. You don't have any say over the matter. Your presence is required."

"No." Kevin retrieved his glasses back. He continued on his way towards the stairs.

"Don't be an ass. You know, I just can't figure out why you're like that." Tim said.

Kevin turned. "Like what?"

"In high school, our legacy is to be in the football team and not in some boring physics club. Sometimes I wonder if you're even a Richardson. You're far from father's expectations."

"I want to build up my own name rather than following what this family has built up for us." Kevin stated firmly.

"You don't have a choice over the matter, Kevin."

That voice made the two looked towards the main hall where they saw their father just walked in. Jerald Richardson takes off his coat and gave it to the butler, who left to keep it in the closet down the hall. He is an epitome of a successful businessman that anyone imagined to be. His presence emanated power and wealth. He is a strong-built man. His looks didn't even come close to his real age.

"You're going with us in this dinner, whether you like it or not." Jerald turned to Tim. "Where's Al?" he asks, referring to his eldest son, Jerald Jr.

"He said he's on his way. He just went to the airport to see his wife off to London today." Tim replied as Kevin started to go upstairs. They will never make him go to this dinner. He's too young for that. He had plans to go to college and be something far from the family business he's now been obliged to take over with.

"You're coming to this dinner meeting, Kevin." Jerald tells his retreating son. "You will or your friend, Brian, will have no other choice but to stop school and work instead for his family."

Kevin's jaw clenched. He didn't know how his father got a hold about his best friend, Brian, and his family dilemma. He's very concerned about Brian and his plans of going to finish his schooling to help his family. Kevin did all he can do to help him and he will never let his father ruin Brian's dreams just because he doesn't want to attend this dinner. His father knows how to manipulate him.

He saw Tim's triumphant smile. "I'll just be upstairs to change into something corporate." He muttered and continued on his way.



~~~



Leighanne glanced at the note in her hand then immediately kept it inside her bag when Samantha and Jade came towards her. She's sitting at their usual hang-out place, under the tree near the gym. "Hi. What's up? Where are the others?"

Jade glanced at her watch. "Nick said he'll be coming shortly. Ms. Griffin called for him about some assignment that I think he'll be doing for your graduation."

Leighanne smiled to Samantha. "Congratulations, you won." The three ladies laughed. Leighanne is referring to Samantha's four-year rivalry against Eula for academics. In the end, she is the class valedictorian and she will be awarded the scholarship grant for her college education.

Samantha sighed happily. "My mom will be glad to hear this on Friday. I still haven't told her about this. Where's Kevin, by the way?"

"Brian told me that he's off from school early today. He said that it was something about family business that he needs to take care of." Leighanne replied. "Can you believe his father? Kevin was already awarded a position in the company even before graduating from college. I never imagined such pressure can be put on someone who's still so young."

"I'm sure, Kevin doesn't have any choice." Jade stated. The others turned to her. "What?"

"Kevin doesn't do anything by force unless something or someone compelled him to do it." Samantha tells her. "Kevin, like his brothers, is a stubborn man and will do things in his own way. He won't do this just because he's obliged to. I know this is not what he wants. He just doesn't have a choice."

"Like the way that's happened in my life," Jade sighed. "I don't have a choice when my parents settled for a divorce."

"Yes. Like the way I don't have any choice when my father left my mother and we struggled to live a better life," Samantha added.

Leighanne shakes her head. "I don't think that we can't do anything if something came out of hand." She disagreed. "As for me, if my parents weren't always there for me, I have the option to sulk in a corner and pitied myself on being alone or be with friends like you who motivate me to do something better for my life. I chose the latter. That's my choice. Kevin made his choice to follow what his father wanted him to be because maybe he thinks that it will be better for him and for the people around him. Brian chose to work and study at the same time because he knows it will help him and his family to get through the trials they encounter everyday. He chose to do two things together even if it's hard work because he wanted to be something that will help him and his family. Nick chose to understand his father despite the abuse because he believes that he can prove something to him that will make him proud of him. It's something we don't understand about Nick, but it's his choice. He is gay, but so what? He's a great and a smart person who knows what he wants to do with his life and how to be the best of what he can do."

She turned to Samantha. "You, Sam, made a choice to pursue the best in your studies to become the class valedictorian and get the dream of having a full college scholarship. You want to help your mother and your sisters and so, you want to finish school and be successful and give your family a good life. Okay, so you can't do anything when your father left you but the choice you made to do something for your family is amazing. Not everyone at your age would think and do something like that. You, Jade, made a choice to become stronger despite having divorced parents and nowhere to go except to a generous uncle who'd support you until you'll be able to be on your own. We handle our own lives. We all have choices. We all make decisions whether we like it or not because subconsciously, we know what we're doing and this is something that we know will help us to become a better part of ourselves. Life's a journey; our high school experience is only a part of it. We just can't say that we don't have any choice over the things happening around us."

"I think you're right." Samantha hugs her friend.

"I felt better hearing it from you," Jade tells Leighanne. "I believe that I can move on after this phase of having divorced parents. It really devastated me but it will help me become stronger." They turned when Brian came running towards them.

"I just heard about the news, Sam. Congratulations," Brian smiled and hugs his friend.

"Wow, you have a fever, haven't you?" Samantha grew concerned. "Have you already had lunch?"

Brian wiped his forehead with his handkerchief. "I haven't eaten since last night. I'm on a night shift and went off from work just this morning." He glanced at Leighanne, who grew concerned too.

Jade stood up. "I'll get you something to eat. Just hold on right here."

"No need." Brian smiled. "I will just pick something on my way to the construction site. I have extra work to do there this afternoon."

"No." Leighanne firmly said. "You're not going anywhere. Did you just realize that you're tiring yourself too much? Brian, you need to rest once in a while."

Brian only nodded and blinked several times. The next thing they knew is that he passed out and fell on them.

"Brian!"

 

Chapter 4 by scarlett

 

Brian realized that he's lying in a comfortable bed in the school clinic when he opened his eyes. Leighanne is sitting beside him with that concerned look on her face.

"I'm glad you woke up. We're so worried." She said.

"Where are they?"

"Kevin is still off to his dad's meeting and didn't know what happened to you. Sam and Jade went out to buy you food while Nick is stuck in the school paper's office for some assignment." Leighanne drew a deep breath. "You should not tire yourself too much, Brian. You need energy once in a while. For sure, your dad won't like to hear this too."

Brian didn't say anything. He wanted to pull the time fast where he is already finished college and working in a company who will be paying him a lot that will help him support his family. "I can't wait to grow up and out there, working and supporting my family." He stated.

"Life is a journey where we all have to be patient to get through it."

Brian turned to her. "Did you receive my note?" Leighanne nodded. "I mean it a lot more than it really says, Leigh. But I can't commit to anything with you right now. I need to help my family first."

"I understand," Leighanne leaned down and gave him a full kiss on the lips. "I love you, too." They've been passing notes for a long time now, without the knowledge of their friends. Brian made the first move and clearly laid out his intentions to her and the truth that he likes her but he can't really make full commitment because of his obligation to help his family, in which Leighanne understands. Their secret relationship grew without anyone noticing it.

Brian takes his hand. "When I will be able to save something and be something worthy for you, I will ask you to marry me."

Leighanne smiled. She felt the same way, too, of seeing her future with this guy. "You will always be worthy for me, Brian."

"I love you."

They let go of each other's hand when the door clicked. Leighanne sits at the end of the bed. Samantha and Jade comes in, bringing along food with them. "Okay, we're here. The nurse said you may go out now. Let's eat outside." Samantha announced, carefully noting the blushed faces from her friends. She can sense that something's going on between the two but she'll wait until they are ready to tell them whatever it is.



~~~



Samantha looked out at the sea of faces who are anticipating her valedictory address. Her eyes moistened at the sight of her proud mother, whose face still looked surprised upon the announcement of her highest recognition in their high school graduation. She really surprised her. She can see the happiness in her mother's eyes. She also saw her friends who supported her dream for four years in high school.

Kevin gave her a thumbs-up sign when she met his look. The entire Richardson clan attended the youngest member's graduation. Samantha can see the bodyguards scattered in the area. Her friend's family truly displays a picture of power and wealth in this gathering.

Leighanne's face is glowing as well. Earlier, her friend almost didn't want to attend the ceremonies because her parents won't be around to see her march on the stage to receive her diploma. But minutes before the ceremonies start, they saw the familiar car arrived. Leighanne's parents arrived just in time to see their daughter graduate from high school. Leighanne almost cried at the sight of them walking towards her.

Samantha drew a deep breath. "Mr. Arthur Kiefer, our venerable school director..." she started.

Nick carefully raised his arm and aimed to get a picture of his friend on her moment for the valedictory speech. His father hurt him again and it came to the knowledge of his aunt who dropped by to visit earlier. She's pulling him out of the house to live with her. There has been an argument between his father and his sister. Nick's father was threatened that if he stopped his sister from taking Nick out of the house, she will report to the police what he's been doing to his son. His father conceded. Nick is now moving out of the house he referred his home and will start a new life with his aunt.

He glanced at Jade who's very attentive at what Samantha's been saying on stage. She will start a new life too. Today, she's moving to her uncle's house. Her brothers came home to help her get her things transferred to the new place.

"...Likewise, we have experienced the different facets of becoming young adults: the joys and sorrows of true friendship, the struggle of a young endeavor, realizing our commitments and responsibilities and the fulfillment of overcoming trials and hardships. Truly, being here is an achievement for all of us, something we perceived from the guidance and support of those people who have deeply influenced our young minds and hearts." Samantha continued.

She saw Brian's family: his parents and his three younger siblings. She's inspired to write the speech for people like them who continued to live their lives despite the trials that come their way. She admired Brian's family for being strong. She admired her friend for being strong and responsible for the sake of his family, even in such a young age. Brian is sitting on the front seat, along with the other honor students who received recognition that day. She is proud of him.

"...Amidst the trials we had, trials that almost made us give up, altogether, let's look forward to the next chapter with a big hope. As we leave the portals of our dearly beloved alma mater, let's recall those memories with a cheerful smile. Undaunted by fears and temptations, let's all face tomorrow as a totally new person. Never forget the steadfast and virtues we uphold to be good and proud citizens of our country. Every thing that comes our way will help us to become stronger to face greater things and to be successful in the best we can do. I wish you a good luck in life and in love. Congratulations, graduates. And with this, life goes on."

Samantha looked around as the people stood up and clapping their hands. She had so many experiences in high school and she never thought that the last three months have been a great one. She gained friends after that fateful day in detention. She found what she needed to get through the tougher road ahead.

Friends she knew who will stick with her through every thing.

 

End Notes:

the first part of the series will now begin ... http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9641

Thanks for reading. ;)

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9629