She's Got Your Eyes by Simple Sue
Summary: Kevin and Jordan had been trying to start a family since the day they got married but all hell breaks loose when they find out he's the reason for their long process. Kevin's cousin Brian has always been a good shoulder so when Kevin starts becoming more distant, Jordan turns to him. When she becomes pregnant, nobody questions it but when little Katie Ann starts looking more like somebody else.........
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Brian, Kevin
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 25 Completed: No Word count: 23948 Read: 49730 Published: 07/26/09 Updated: 10/11/11
Story Notes:
I started this story many years ago but never finished it. I have this posted on a site of my own, but with the closing of Geocities coming up, I decided that I should start moving a few of them over here.

1. Chapter 1 by Simple Sue

2. Chapter 2 by Simple Sue

3. Chapter 3 by Simple Sue

4. Chapter 4 by Simple Sue

5. Chapter 5 by Simple Sue

6. Chapter 6 by Simple Sue

7. Chapter 7 by Simple Sue

8. Chapter 8 by Simple Sue

9. Chapter 9 by Simple Sue

10. Chapter 10 by Simple Sue

11. Chapter 11 by Simple Sue

12. Chapter 12 by Simple Sue

13. Chapter 13 by Simple Sue

14. Chapter 14 by Simple Sue

15. Chapter 15 by Simple Sue

16. Chapter 16 by Simple Sue

17. Chapter 17 by Simple Sue

18. Chapter 18 by Simple Sue

19. Chapter 19 by Simple Sue

20. Chapter 20 by Simple Sue

21. Chapter 21 by Simple Sue

22. Chapter 22 by Simple Sue

23. Chapter 23 by Simple Sue

24. Chapter 24 by Simple Sue

25. Chapter 25 by Simple Sue

Chapter 1 by Simple Sue
Jordan sat in the antique rocker staring out the bay window of the nursery. It was filled with an assortment of plush stuffed animals. The full moon illuminated the room slightly from where she was positioned. She sighed heavily as she ran a hand over her full belly. "Only a few more weeks and then you'll be out here to let me have no rest,"she smiled as she spoke softly to the yet unborn child in the dimly lit room. Seemed like a lifetime right now. Some days she just wished it would be all over. But it wasn't the baby's kicking and fighting that was keeping her up this evening. This was a miracle child. She and Kevin had been trying ages to have children and now here it was. The child they'd always hoped for. The child she should be happy about. But there were complications in this situation. Complications that should never be.
"Everything okay baby?"Kevin said jolting her out of her thoughts.
"Everything's fine. She just was keeping me awake more than usual tonight,"She said running her hand over her rounded figure."So how long you been standing in that doorway?"
"Long enough to know something's troubling you,"he said approaching her. He knelt down next to the chair."Somethin' on your mind?"
More than you'll ever know."Not really. I come in here and it helps me relax."
"I should know better by now that you'll tell me in your own time."
"Kev,"she said; her hand softly cupping his cheek."Then you know I'm enjoying the last of what little alone time I'll have for the next, at least eighteen years."
"You want me to go?"
"I didn't say that baby. She sure has got your fight,"she said drawing his hand over her stomach.
She sure did have his fight but he returned,"I thought that was yours."
"Hey now. I'm the one carryingy the child. You wanna try this on for nine months?"
"Na. You can keep that."
"See if I carry another one of these for you."
"You will."
"Uh Kev,"She said gripping his arm.
"Yeah baby?"
"I think your little angel is planning on making her arrival a little earlier than planned."
"What?"
"My water just broke,"She stated calmly. She could see his eyes widening in the dim light.
"Now?"
"Now."


So after eighteen hours, 12 minutes and forty five seconds of labor our little eight pound twelve ounce bundle of joy found her way into the world. Catherine Anne Richardson. Daddy's little pride and joy. She had him wrapped around her tiny little finger from the word go. His little Katie Ann as she would come to be known. Of course the fact that there was a slim chance that she would have never come to be put the odds in her favor. Perhaps an explanation is in order here. Let's rewind things a little and start from the beginning.
Chapter 2 by Simple Sue
~A Year And A Half Earlier~

The drive home was silent; almost deafening. She couldn't believe the news the doctor had handed them this time. They'd tried every natural method known to man to have children but what the doctor had told them was just unfathomnable. There was no way it could be true. He pulled in the drive and fled the vehicle. He stormed in the front door not even looking back to see where she was. She could understand his demeanor but even when he was upset, he always opened her car door. She stepped out of the vehicle and made her way into the house. She knew his moods like the back of her hand and if she wasn't in the house ASA and P, she wouldn't have a home anymore."Kevin?"Jordan questioned."Kevin?"she inquired as she searched the house from top to bottom finally finding him in their bedroom looking out over the estate."Kev,"she said touching his shoulder; attempting to reach out to him in some fashion.
"Could you just leave me be for awhile. I don't wanna talk about it."
"But Kevin. I think we do need to talk about it."
"Why? The fact that I could possibly never give you children is just a subject you're dyin to get into?"He said turning back to her with ferocity in his eyes.
"But the doctor said we could have children. He said
"I know what he said and I will not have my child bore of any unnatural methods. I want our child created from love."
"But don't you get it Kevin? It would be from you. It would be of our love."
"So when our little one starts getting curious about the birds and the bees we tell them that we had to plant daddy's seed in mommy in order for it to grow?"
Dammit Kevin! You are so pigheaded sometimes I wonder how I ever get through to you."
"So now I'm pigheaded on top of having slow swimmers?"
"I love you Kevin Scott Richardson but until you come to your senses and realize we do have options, you come talk to me then. Not a minute before because I won't listen before then,"Jordan said as she stormed out of the room. Damn men! We could just line 'em all up like a firing squad, blindfold em and take aim. Then we could be a bunch of fat, happy women without a care in the world. Ugh! she groaned as she slammed cabinet doors in search of... Oh fuck! she didn't know now. She leaned against the cabinet. His fire was one of the many things she loved about him but not when he was angry. It was truly frustrating to no end but he was a man and he'd just been told that he was.. well less than adequate in his masculinity. No amount of comforting or consoling was gonna take that feeling away anytime soon. She heard the front door slam and continued her search for something, anything. Just as long as it would keep her mind from the obvious.
"What's going on?"
Jordan jumped back three feet."Jeez! You scared me. How'd you get in?"
" Nice to see you too. Your loving husband breezed by me without saying a word. What's going on?"
"Nothing Brian. Nothing I can talk about right now anyway. Can I get you anything?"
"No thank you,"he said pulling up a chair at the table.
Jordan grabbed a can of coke from the refrigerator and sat across the table from him."So what brings you here today?"
"Nothing much. I just thought I'd come for a visit. But something is obviously troubling you two."
Jordan popped the top on her can and took a deep breath."We just got back from the doctor."
"No good news again? Haven't you two been trying forever?"
"Yes and now,"she hesitated."Well now they're telling us we might not be able to have children the natural way."
"But you can have children."
"Yeah but old mulie out there refuses to have em any other way than what god intended."
"I see."
"I really wish I could tell ya the whole story Bri but he'd have my head."
"I understand but if you need somebody, anybody, just give me a call okay?"He said his hand covering hers. A simple gesture that shouldn't bother her because he'd done it a hundred times before but it was more likely her state of mind that let her mind wander to greener pastures. Brian was a nice guy. It was a wonder some girl hadn't snatched him up already. She diverted their problems to focus on him."You know I'm amazed some woman hasn't snatched you up already."
"I'll take that as my cue to leave."
"You don't have to leave."
"Yeah I do. You and Kev need to hassle this out your own way. I'll let myself out."
"Thanks for understanding."
"That's what friends are for."
Friends. So that's what they call those? She mused as she heard the door close.

Two hours later, Kevin came back in and followed his nose to the kitchen. Jordan must be upset. She's whipping up a feast fit for a king as he approached the kitchen full of baked goods and dinner.
"Hey,"he said as her eyes met his briefly.
"Are you ready to talk?"She said continuing to tend to her meal.
"Jordan."
"What?"she said looking up and continued stirring the gravy she was concocting.
"Would you stop for just a second? I'm ready to talk."
Chapter 3 by Simple Sue
"You sure? You completely ignored your company that was here today."
"Brian'll deal with that one."
"You think the world will deal with it because you say so."
"I thought we were going to discuss the matter of our parenthood."
"We were until you decide to treat the whole world as though it's beneath you."
"I'll call him and apologize."
"Thank you. Now you have my attention,"Jordan said turning the stove off.
"Can we go in the other room?"
"I think we can talk just fine here."
"But I can't. The delicious aroma of all your venting is distracting me. Please?"
Exhausting a sigh and giving in, she followed him into the living room. She sat down on the plush couch as he paced for a few seconds."If you're not gonna talk,"she was about to stand when he started to speak.
"I'm gonna apologize for my actions today. They were uncalled for but my feelings I refuse to apologize for. I'm a man that wants to have many children with his beautiful wife and to be told that I may never be able to do that the old fashioned way. That's a big blow. I love you and I wanna be able to give you those things Jordan but if I can't do it that way then what's the point?"
"The point is you could still give them to me. The doctor said you could. And by all natural
means, they would still be yours. We'd just be giving Mother Nature a little help in the right direction."
He knelt down next to her. He knew she wanted children as much as he did but was this really right in the eyes of the man upstairs? Had he intended for them to have children this way? It was beginning to look that way."So you really wanna try this?"
"Yes I do."
"But we will keep trying my way won't we?"He said raising his brow suggestively.
She smiled."Now you know I wouldn't give that up for a million dollars."
"Only a million?"He pouted.
She knew he didn't want to do it her way but he was making the compromise for them. And she knew that right now he just needed to get past it and prove his masculinity to her right now. "I might go a mil and a half,"she teased.
"So that's all I'm worth to you?"
"There is no price on your love baby but you have to catch me if you wanna show it,"she said getting up from the couch and making a beeline for the stairs. It was one of their routines but it was fun. He'd chase her up the stairs, pin her to the bed and make love until the sun came up. He did follow her up and he did pin her to the bed but as he divulged her of her clothing, he stopped.
"Kev?"She said as she sat up next to him on the edge of the bed."What's wrong honey?" she inquired kissing the warmed skin of his shoulder.
"Nothing."
"Are you sure?"she straddled him. She hoped it would get some sort of attention out of him but his body wasn't reacting.
" I love you baby but I just can't."
"Sure you can,"she cooed."I could do a little of this,"she softly nibbled on his ear." A little of this."She nibbled softly down his neck."Perhaps a little of this,"she said running her hands up his chest and over his shoulders as she captured his lips.
He wasn't reacting. All the things that got his motor started were failing to do so tonight."I just can't Jo-jo. Not now."
Reluctantly she stood and pulled herself back together. She wasn't happy but she was trying to be understanding."I love you my big ole tower of power,"she said and lightly kissed his forehead before leaving the room.
He slammed his fist against the wall nearest the window. He knew she was trying to be understanding but how could she possibly understand this? The very strength she had nicknamed him for had proven to be a complete sham. He could give her pleasure but he couldn't give her his namesake. Not without a lot of trying or... He shuddered at even the thought of it.
Chapter 4 by Simple Sue
Once again their efforts were shattered. Another two months with no visible results. No wonder Kevin was devastated. He'd reluctantly given in and tried it her way but with no success. It wasn't her fault but the silence once again deafening in their vehicle. Jesus! He could be a real pain in the ass when he wanted to be. He slammed the door and strode quickly toward the house; she close behind. Stepping in front of him, she warranted an immediate reaction. The crunch of steps on the firmly packed snow came to a direct halt."What?!"
"Don' t you do this to me again."
"Do what?"
"You know damn well what Richardson. You listen and you listen good. I will not be shut out again because you think it's my fault."
"It is your fault,"He stated effortlessly."Now get out of my way."
She stood planted in his path." You think this is easy on me? I want to have your children. I want to have beautiful little boys with your eyes terrorizing this house or a sweet little angel with mine to break another million hearts out there like I did."
"Not now Jordan."
"Yes now,"she said standing her ground. He was irritating to no end and the freezing weather wasn't helping spirits much either.
"Don't make me cart you over my shoulder."
"Do it then, "she defied."Because it's the only way you're gonna get me inside that house right now."
And without hesitation, he had her firmly over his shoulder and to the front door. He set her down but kept a firm grip around her waist as he unlocked the door with plenty of resistance on her part. He lifted her over his shoulder once more and carted her inside. He walked into the living room after removing his shoes and dropped her on the sofa.
Gathering herself from the couch, she stormed into the entryway where he was placing his coat on a hanger."What the hell was that?"
He calmly responded,"I moved you out of my way. Don't make me do it again."
The look in his eyes told her not to defy his words but he was gonna listen to her if it was the last thing she did in this world." You self centered, no good, muleheaded idiot! The world does not revolve around you and as such, you need to place yourself in check. I know this is not easy on you but don't take it out on me. I'm here for you, with you. Whatever you need. You should know that but until you do, don't expect me to be around,"she said swiping the keys off the table and darting out the door.
He opened the door chasing after her in socked feet."Where are you going?"He beckoned; his voice full of sudden concern for her welfare.
"Somewhere you're not,"She turned calmly from the vehicle to face him before opening the door and sliding in.
"Okay. You win Jordan. We'll talk."
"No!"She turned the key as the engine.
"I'm out here in my friggin socks darlin'. What more do you want?" He yelled over the engine's roar.
She rolled down the window."For you to go back inside and wait for me to come home,"she said backing out of the drive and not knowing really where she wanted to go. God! He looked so pathetic standing there in the cold. Served him right after the last fight they'd had about this. But she wasn't going to back down on this one. Oh no! He was gonna know how it felt to be the one left wondering this time.
Chapter 5 by Simple Sue
Jordan sat parked outside his house for what seemed to be an eternity. He had said ANYTIME. She felt like she'd be intruding without calling first though. She'd left their house in such a rush she didn't even grab her purse. Knowing her luck, it'd be the first time she get pulled over. Luckily she hadn't. She was startled from her thought by a knock on the window. She rolled the window down."You gonna sit out here all day?" Brian inquired.
"Hadn't thought about it but I thought I'd be intruding if I didn't call first."
"Don't be silly. You know you're welcome anytime Jordan. So you wanna come in and talk about it? It's mighty cold out here darlin'."
What was it with these Kentucky boys and the word darlin'? Their version of sweetie or what? But it sounded weird coming from anyone other than her husband."That's about where I left him too."
"What? Out in the cold?"
"He came chasing after me in his socks."
Brian chuckled."Can't wait to hear this one. Now get out of there and come on in before I freeze my ass off."
And a nice one it is. Okay. Where did that come from? She rolled her window up and locked up the vehicle."Okay.Fine. But I really wanted to see if your ass would freeze off,"Jordan teased as they headed toward the house.
"Hey now! You're married to my cousin. Watch your manners young lady,"he returned with a playful tone.
"Do I have to?"Jordan said as he opened the door and let her in first. She removed her gloves and shoved them in her coat pocket.
"Only if you don't want a spanking."
The thought unraveling in her head. Get it together girl! She scolded herself."Now who should be behaving?"she said as he assisted her with her coat.
"Okay. So can I get anything to warm you up?"he said before realizing the words that had stumbled forth from his lips.
You're doing just fine by yourself there. Dammit Jordan! I know you're mad at Kevin right now but Brian? Please! "Um, cocoa if you've got it. If not, coffee or tea is just fine."
Thank god she ignored the innuendo written all over that one."Coming right up. Have a seat and I'll be back in a jif."
"Thank you,"she said and looked out the window. The snow had started falling again. Great! She looked out the window and saw that Brian had a clear view of her the entire time she'd been sitting there. How long had he been watching her fidget behind the wheel before she didn't care where she was anymore. But before she had time to complete another thought, his voice broke through once again."You're in luck. I found some cocoa."
She turned from the window and accepted the mug graciously." She sat on one of the chairs opposite Brian.
"So what happened?"
"We came back from yet another appointment and he's blaming me this time."
"I think there's more to this than your saying."
"I don't know if I should say anything. I think it would just devastate him if anybody found out."
"What's going on Jordan? Maybe you're just trying too hard."
"I wish it were that simple."
"So if it's not you then what's up with him."
Jordan took a deep breath and exhaled."You swear you won't say anything to him if I tell you the real reason why we're having trouble?"
"Stays right here."
"Well we found out the last time that his,"Jordan blushed at the thought herself.
"His what?"
"His little swimmers aren't quite as speedy as we need them to be."
"Is that all?"
"Is that all?"
"Well you can still have kids other ways right?"
"You're telling me you wouldn't be upset if this happened to you?"
"Of course I would but there are other ways to conceive and it can still be yours."
"Now I know who the real brains are in your family."
"Kevin's not stupid. He's just stubborn."
"Don't I know it. We tried it my way this time and now it's my fault because it didn't work. Well I tried stopping him outside and he flung me over his shoulder and kept me captive until he got to the couch where he ever so gracefully dropped me. That's how he got outside in socks. He decided he was ready to talk and I decided he could wait this time."
"Boy I hope the children you two have don't pick up that stubborness from either one of you."
"Me? Stubborn? Please!" Jordan said taking an unladylike swig of her cocoa."Ouch! Dammit!"She yelped after the boiling hot liquid scorched her throat.
"Are you okay Jordan?"
"Yeah. I'll be fine."
"I don't mean to interfere but either one of you could stand to give a little once in awhile and it wouldn't kill you."
"Tell that to Mr. My way or the highway."
"He did try it your way. Now give a little Jordan and let things happen the way he wants for awhile and then see how things work out. You know you want to go home and make up with him."
"Is it that obvious?"
"Since the minute you pulled in the drive."
"How long did I sit there?"She said meeting his gaze directly.
"I don't know. Ten, maybe fifteen minutes. Why?"
"Just curious."
"Jordan. Go home and make up with him. He may be stubborn but he does love you. He told me the first day he met you that you were the woman he would be sharing all his tomorrows with."
"His exact words?"
"His exact words. Now go."
She stood, leaned toward his cheek and lightly pecked it."Thank you."
"Anytime."
"I know the way out. I'll just let myself out,"she said feeling a slight bit of awkwardness and not really knowing why. Okay. She knew why. She was just mad at Kevin and Brian was there reassuring and comforting her. Letting her know everything was gonna be okay despite the friction. Then why was the thought of friction with him sounding so good these days? Stop it! You love Kevin and you know it. You don't wanna ruin the one good friendship you do have outside of your female friends.
Dang hormones! he thought; hoping she didn't notice the painful distraction pressed firmly against the material of his jeans. A kiss on the cheek. Come on Brian! Get it together! She's married to Kevin. You've gotta find you a woman. And fast.
Chapter 6 by Simple Sue
After removing her outer layer, she followed the familiar tones of the piano echoing througout the silent house. He was so immersed in his work, he didn't even notice her coming in. She often wondered how he took so much on without having a nervous breakdown. Easy enough. He took it out on the party closest to him at the time not realizing sometimes the damage he did until it was too late. He was a good man though despite that fact. He took good care of her when he was around. They would be in the studio all too soon again. Even with the break, he was always working on something or other. And he did it so effortlessly too. At least he made it look that way. His fingers danced over the keys like they danced over her body; soft and smooth with generosity. Jordan moved from the doorway and walked across the room. She took the moment he paused to say something."Something new for the album?"
He looked up from the keys. He was still somewhat cocooned in his work and her voice hadn't quite registered in his world.
"New? Album?"She reitterated.
"I'm sorry. Yeah it is."
"It's beautiful."
"You're biased."
"Maybe but I know what I like."
"Do you still like me?"
She sat down next to him on the bench and met his hopeful gaze."What would make you think I ever hated you?"
"I don't know. The way you stormed out of here today. The way I treated you today perhaps."
"You were angry and I was angry. It doesn't matter now."
"No. It does because I blamed you for us not having kids yet and I know
"Shh,"she said placing a finger over his lips."Are you okay?"
"I'm fine."
She placed the back of her hand on his forehead. He tried brushing it off but he knew there was no stopping her once she got into her mothering mode."You're burning up baby. Why aren't you resting?"
"I can't."
"Yes you can. Now get upstairs and into bed and I'll be up to take your temperature so we know what we're dealing with."
"I've got a little fever Jordan. It's nothing."
"I can't carry you up those stairs myself so get your ass up there now."
"Oh all right. I'll go,"he said and she followed him to the staircase. As she watched him walk up the stairs, the remark about Brian's backside came into play and Oh God! stop it!"Happy?"He snipped as he reached the top stair.
"Very. It was just an excuse for me to look at that sweet ass of yours."
"Great! I'm sick and you're in the mood."
"No I'm not. Now get before I have to come up there after you."
"Promise?"he said wiggling his eyebrows.
"You are impossible,"She groaned
"You are so cute when you do that,"he quipped and disappeared down the hall.
Even when they're sick, the brain between their legs always work. She found the thermometer and made her way upstairs. He had listened for a change.
"Okay you big lug, scooch over a little so I can sit."He did as she said."Now open up,"she ordered.
She popped the digital thermometer under his tongue and waited until the faint tweet of it sounded off indicated it was done. She looked at it. One hundred point seven.
"So what's the verdict doc?"
"A hundred point seven. Not enough to worry about but enough to keep you in this bed for at least twenty four hours."
"But I don't wanna,"he whined.
Spoken like a truly ill man. You get sick and they don't give an inch for you but they get sick and you have to drop your life for them until you're done babying them back to health."I'll stay here and snuggle up and breathe your germs if I must,"she said hoping to accomodate him.
"Thank you. You know I wouldn't be sick if it weren't for you."
"How's that?"
"I chased you out into the freezing cold in my socks. All in the name of love."
Oh yeah. When she noticed his flushed appearance, she'd completely forgotten that they were even fighting. He did love her. And for the thoughts she'd been fending off since his trek up the stairs, she should be shot for they weren't of Kevin. She had to let go of those things. Would you look at the man laying in your bed all weakened with fever. He was a powerhouse when he wasn't down. You've gotta stop running to Brian everytime you two fight."I love you too baby,"She kissed his forehead lightly."I'll be back in a minute."
He grasped her hand before she was out of reach."Are you okay sweetness?"
She turned back to him."I'm fine."
"Come on Jo-jo. I may be sick but I know you."
"And I know you. Just let it go for tonight. We've got all the time in the world."
"Okay Jo-jo. You win. You take your time. Whatever it may be."
Whatever it may be? If he only knew.
Chapter 7 by Simple Sue
"Merry Christmas,"Brian greeted as he approached Jordan.
"Merry Christmas,"Jordan responded politely.
"So you up for yet another fun filled family gathering?"
"You know me. Miss adventure USA,"she quipped. God! Just being close to him was sparking all kinds of images. Did he even think of her that way? Why should it matter anyway? You're married remember she scolded herself.
He chuckled."I can only assume Anne's on his case about grandchildren."
"You know it."
"And how's that working out?"Damn! but does she look fine in that pink angora. Bet it'd feel even better against my skin. Stop it!
"I think you better watch that pretty little wife of yours with Brian,"Anne remarked as she noticed the two chatting away comfortably.
Kevin looked over."They've always gotten along Mom."
"Brian's got an eye for her like I ain't seen the likes of since you first brought her home."
"Please Mom."
"And you'd better keep watch on her too. Is there something going on between you two that I should know about?"
"No Mom. Nothing you should know about."
"Now you wouldn't be telling your Mother to mind her own business now would you?"
"No.We're just trying to provide you with some little bundles of joy to spoil rotten and we're not succeeding."
"She does want children?"
"Mom! How could you ask me something like that?"
"Well you haven't said more than three words to her since you two walked in here."
"That's because you dragged me away from her."
"Don't sass me."
"Okay. Yes she wants to have children."
"Then what's the problem?"
How could he tell his Mother that they had argued about that very thing on the way over? Another two months had passed and still no success. Jordan wasn't backing down on their other medical option and he wasn't about to give in on it. "Mom. We're trying. That's all I can tell you."
"That's all you're willing to tell me. I'll worm it out of Jordan. She may be stubborn but she's not as strong when it comes to keeping secrets."
"He's so looks so helpless when she gets a hold of him sometimes,"Jordan commented.
"Oh I don't know. I think he needs to be brought down a few notches every now and then."
"Meaning?"
"Meaning he needs to be reminded of where he came from. I think he forgets sometimes."
"And you don't?"
"My mom reminds me every chance she gets."
"You think they'd notice if we just like disappeared outside for a few minutes?"
"Aunt Anne might but that's about it. Something up?"
"Let's just go."
"Okay."
They walked quietly along the length of the stables before they were out of eyeshot.
"So what's going on Jordan? You and Kev have another fight?"
"On the way over but that's not why I brought you out here."
"Oh."
"I think you know."
"Look Jordan I'm not sure what's going on but maybe it's best we aren't alone together anymore."
"What are you talking about?"
"What are you talking about?"
"I asked first."
"I asked last,"he grinned cheesily.
"Brian!"She protested.
"Okay fine. I was just trying to make you laugh."
"And you suceeded. So stop it."
"I can't help it if I'm naturally charming."
"That you are"
"So what's on your mind?"
"I forget. Why do you always do that to me?"
"Do what? I'm just being me."
She had forgotten that she had brought him out here to talk about their last visit. It had been two months since they had seen each other and the feelings weren't going away. She knew there was a mutual agreement on that one because that was the exact reason she left him sitting alone on his couch.
But now as she met those beautiful blue eyes of his, she knew that being alone out here was very wrong."That's the problem."
"That's a problem?"
"It is because I've been having some not so pure thoughts about you,"she blurted out."This was a bad idea. I'm sorry I even brought it up,"Jordan said starting back toward the house.
When the revelation finally struck him he hurried as quickly as he could over the snow covered ground and fell into step with her until she stopped.
"What are you doing?"
Her eyes were very much directed at the feet across from her; afraid of what he would say."Jordan. Look at me."
"No."
"Jordan. You can't tell me somethin like you just did and expect to walk away from it."
"I just did,"she said slowly drawing her eyes up toward his.
"Did you expect me not to react to that?"
"I was hoping you wouldn't."
"I don't know what brought it on Jordan but you've gotta forget it."
"Forget it because I'm a married woman? Jesus Brian! Just because I am married doesn't mean my eye doesn't stray to an attractive man ocassionally and that afternoon, just by being there, you made me feel desired again. Something my husband hadn't made me feel in a long time."
"Now come on Jordan. Surely it hasn't got that bad."
"All I am to him anymore is a babymaking machine. My husband doesn't make love to me anymore. It's just sex."
"You know how many women would die to get next to him?"
"You know how many women would die to get next to you?"
"Including yourself?"
"Well.......Yes,"she blurted out. Wrong answer. Before she knew what was happening, she felt a very strong, very determined set of lips upon hers. And without thinking, she returned the gesture. Her fingers twined in his soft blonde highlights as the gesture became more intimate. This was so, so wrong but felt so, so very good. His tongue penetrating her soft pink lips. She hadn't kissed another man like this since she'd said "I do". His lips left hers and softly drifted toward an earlobe. The soft nibbling motion sent fire coursing through her. She shouldn't be feeling this and yet when his lips returned to hers, they were not refused. Damn her body for responding to him this way. Breathlessly she tore away from him.
Finally catching his breath,"You happy?"
"No I'm not!"
"Then why'd you kiss me back?"
"I don't know. I just pray to god nobody saw it."
Chapter 8 by Simple Sue
"Tim?"His wife Cheryl's voice drew him away from the scene unfolding in plain view of god and everybody.
"Yeah?"
She had seen it too."You comin?"
"Why don't you take Billy in and I'll see what's going on."
"Tim, don't go meddlin'. Whatever provoked her to do it is none of our business. That's between her and Kevin."
"And Brian,"he added.
She glared at him in such a manner that he knew to just let sleeping dogs lie."Billy's already inside and if we saw, you know he saw it."
"Unce Keben. Guess what I saw?"Billy said as Kevin helped him out of his coat and snow boots.
"What?"
"I saw Aunte Jordan."
"Is that a fact?"
"Uh hunh. Guess who she was with?"
"Your mommy?"He guessed thinking this was just a game for the child.
"No. I saw her with cousin Brian and they was
"Kevin!"Cheryl interrupted Billy."Sorry he bothered you."
"He was no bother at all."
"You and mommy are going to have a little talk about your runnin off,"She scolded.
"But mommy I was just about to tell Unce Keben about Aunte Jordan and Cousin Brian smoo,"his protest distanced enough for Kevin not to catch it.
"What was that all about Tim?"Kevin inquired with a puzzled look.
"Oh nothing. They were just out talking by the stables when we pulled up. Nothing to worry about."
"You're sure that's all that went on?"
"I'm sure Kevin. I'm gonna go say Hi to Mom."
"Okay."He let it rest but something did happen. Cheryl had a chokehold on Tim when it came to minding his own business but Kevin looked out the window and saw the animated conversation taking place. A little too animated perhaps. Five minutes sooner and he would have known what had happened.


"You're thinking of getting caught now instead of when I had my tongue down your throat?"
"I know it doesn't make sense but it can't happen again. I can't do that to him. He loves me despite the way he's treated me lately."
"I see."
"He's my husband. He has rights to this body. You don't."
"I don't,"he said backing her against the wall.
"Brian,"she protested weakly but felt her body screaming for him to touch her again. He did have some rights after all.
"Yes,"his breath warming her neck.
"I thought we weren't,"she said grasping his cheeks to look at her.
"Not here." He pulled her hands away from his face.
"I thought you thought this was a bad idea."
"I thought that before I kissed you."
"And that's what changed all these moral standards of yours?"
"You think that kiss changed all my moral fiber?"
"I'm trying to understand."
"Why?"
Pulling her glove off and waving her hand in front of him."This little rock here is why."
"Oh."
"Oh is right. I got caught up too."
"Weren't you the one that just told me about some not so pure thoughts two minutes ago? Come with me."
"What if I don't wanna?"
"I know you want to,"he whispered hotly in her ear."Come on."
She followed him the short distance he led her."This is crazy."
He removed his coat."You think?"
"What are we doing?"
"What are we doing?"
She was finding every reason in the book not to go through with this and every other one of those reasons kept leading back to the fact that her husband no longer desired her as she should be. It took just that one thought to fuel the fire that would forever change her life. She wasted no time in ridding him of his shirt. She knew what he wanted. He wanted to feel the soft surface of her sweater on his skin. Sliding her arms around his neck, she softly whispered,"You like?"
"It's driving me crazy,"He said as he frantically rid her of the material. Their lips met in a frenzied attempt to quench the desire that had been building. He back her against the wall of the empty stall save the scattered hay and bail in the corner.
His mouth left hers as it traveled downward. He tripped the clasp of her bra. His hand slipped under the satin material pressing it away and replacing it with his mouth. He had staked his claim on her with the fire of his mouth. He moved to the opposing side as his hand kept the already worked flesh warm.
He came back up and looked into her eyes."You know how beautiful you are?"
"Tell me,"she softly urged as she fumbled with the metal button on his jeans.
He drew the mass of curls away from her ear."Later,"he breathed and found her lips once again. His hand moved down around the curve of her ass. He drew her leg up around him leaving her unbalanced but swiftly took care of the other."You're such a tease,"She said as he carried her toward the bail of hay.
Easing down onto it, he silently responded with another kiss. Sliding her fingers down his chest, she breathlessly pressed away from him. She stood sliding her panties off . She kneeled and slid the zipper down. He shifted enough so she could ease the jeans down to allow the access they needed for the time being. She lifted her skirt and languidly eased down onto him. It was mere torture that they had waited this long."Oh dear God"
His facial expression returned the same emotion she had just expressed.
"Don't talk much do you?"
"And you talk too much,"he said as his body rose up under her."You feel so good wrapped all around me."
When was the last time she heard that one? Oh wait. She never heard that one before.
"The warmth of your body pressed against mine in the cold winter breezes."
He was starting out good. He slowed his motion from beneath giving her enough time to take control.
"The sweet scent of strawberries in your soft, golden hair,"He uttered as she gained a controled rhythm.
"Brian,"she managed to speak.
"Yes."
"Please stop talking."
"But I thought."
"Don't think. Just... Oh god!"she said continuing to grind into him as he responded to her request. He grasped a nipple with his teeth; twisting and suckling the hardened jewel.
She tangled her fingers into his hair as he continued to manipulate and torture her with his gestures. And it didn't take long after that to accomodate her fulfillment either. She pressed her hand against the wooden wall as her body grasped his."Oh my... Bri......oh...ohgodyes,"she managed to produce followed by an extended amount of heavy breaths. Her head nestled in his shoulder for a few brief moments before she found the courage to look into his eyes. She had just committed one of the ultimate sins in the eyes of the lord; thou shalt not commit adultery. But the fear wasn't from breaking the commandment. It was the fear of becoming heartless and she knew she wasn't but when she exchanged looks with Brian, he had the same look. They were gonna have to go back inside and face the people they called family.
"I guess we should get going before they send a search party out,"She started.
"That's it?"
"What do you want me to say? I have to go back in there same as you."
"Only difference is you have someone to go back in to."
" Don't remind me,"She said getting off of him and started pulling herself together.
"Jordan. I didn't mean it that way."
"Yes you did because I have to go home with the asshole. This is the first time I've felt alive in about six months. You explain to me how I go in there and play the happy wife,"she said as the tears started to fall. She pulled her coat on and found her gloves.
"Jordan,"he begged."Stop. I don't expect you to do that. Just let it go. I'm not here to judge. I'm just here for you."
"For a quick lay?"she spat.
"That was cold."
"I'm sorry Brian but I can't keep running to you every time I fight with him. He'll know something's up."
"That's not fair."
"It's not but it's the way it has to be. I'll see you inside."
Chapter 9 by Simple Sue
Kevin saw her approaching the house; her tearstained face visible. He knew he'd been an ass earlier but he didn't like the looks of her demeanor. He opened the door hoping she would talk to him and she did something he never expected her to being as she was mad at him. She ran straight into his arms; the tears flowing freely. He wasn't sure what to do so he stroked her hair; calming her. Tim came into see why the door was standing wide open. He looked at Kevin and looked at Jordan now sobbing in his arms. He raised his brows in question toward his brother and all Kevin could do is return the same quizzical expression. Tim closed the door and left them alone. She was still sobbing in Kevin's arms when she heard Brian's voice behind her.
"Everything okay?"Brian inquired nonchalantly. Just as he should have.
"I dont' know. She won't say anything. Did you two have words?"
Come on Brian. Something good."She told me you two had a fight on the way over and I took your side. She took it the wrong way I guess."
"You're damn straight I took it the wrong way,"she turned around and looked at him; making an attempt to further disguise their indiscretion.
"I'm sorry Jordan but he is family. You're not."
Could that have been any colder than what she had just done to him? She deserved that one she guessed."Nice Brian. I'm married to him but I'm not a part of this family. That makes perfect sense."
"I'm just saying what I feel Jordan. If you'll excuse me,"he said leaving them in the entryway.
"So he knows about what's going on then?"He said; his comforting arms now gone.
"He's the only one Kev."
"Are you sure cuz we could go announce it to the rest of the clan right now if it'd make you feel better."
"Dammit Kevin! I don't like fighting with you but if you want, I'll leave and you can have your fun old fashioned family Christmas without me."
"Jordan."
"No really. Give me the keys and I'll leave. You can stay."
"Come on Jordan."
"No. You want your family to believe you have this perfect little marriage to the perfect woman and that you're gonnna have the perfect little family one day. I suggest you start treating me like a woman and not a babymaking machine if you ever want that to happen."
"Not here Jordan."
"Why not here? Because it would ruin everything your family thinks about you. Good. Maybe they need to know that you're normal."
"I'm not and you know that."
"Kevin Scott Richardson you are the most self centered egotistical man I've ever met and why I married you I'll never know."
He didn't respond to her answer and she shot up again."What?"
He looked down toward little Billy who had accidentally stumbled on their shouting match. She looked herself to see the frightened child standing there not sure whether to move or wait until they were done.
"Hey little guy! What's going on?"Kevin said kneeling down onto the floor.
"You and Ante Jordan was yellin at each other and I was scared,"he said; his lower lip quivering.
Jordan's heart was sinking at those words. They were really fighting over something so petty and in the process forgot about who or what it could affect on this of all days. Jordan kneeled down after she hung her coat on the rack."Come here."
He looked at Kevin and Kevin nodded to go ahead.
He stepped toward Jordan and she took his tiny little hands and looked into his frightened eyes."Uncle Kevin and I were just having a disagreement. Grown ups do that sometimes."
"Mommy and Daddy don't eber yell like that,"he came back.
"But they do talk loud every once in awhile don't they?"
"Well...yes."
"Uncle Kevin and I just got a little louder than we usually do. I don't want to hurt him. I love your Uncle Kevin. You know that?"
"I love him too Ante Jordan. Can I go play with Cindy now?"
"Sure thing kiddo,"she pecked him on the cheek and then looked at Kevin when she stood.
"Did you mean that?"
"Mean what?"
"What you said to Billy."
She took his hand."I love you. You know I don't ever want to hurt you. I just want to let all this go and let us be the way we used to be before we were trying to start a family. We can still start one. Let's just not make it the focus of our lives."
"I love you so Jordan. Don't ever leave me."
"What brought that on?"
"My mom's got some silly notion that Brian's got his eye on you. I told her she was crazy."
"You told your Mom she was crazy?"
"Not directly but yeah. Jordan?" he said noticing her sudden distance.
"I'm sorry."
"Anyway, it is just a silly notion right?"
"Right,"she agreed.
Chapter 10 by Simple Sue
She was making the final preparations for the New Year's Eve party when Kevin snuck up behind her in the kitchen. His hands slipped around her waist as she continued working at the counter. His lips soft on her neck. His tongue tickling that one spot on her neck. She tried continuing through it but that was the weakest spot on her. She gripped the counter feeling the full effect of his actions and the full effect she was having on him."Do you know how much I want you right now?"he whispered huskily.
"I have some idea."
"I don't think you do. Let me remind you,"he said reaffirming his arousal against her backside.
"What is it about the holidays and you baby?"She said turning within his arms.
"Is it not a season for giving and receiving joy?"He said; his eyes dancing with deviance.
"I don't like that look on you."
"You don't? That used to drive you wild."
"Why don't you refresh my memory and show me what it did,"she responded as his lips captured hers.
It was good to have him back. That way she could forget about that moment of weakness she had just a mere week ago. Maybe his Mother's suggestion of another man so much as showing any interest in her had been his drive. Whatever the case was, she was glad.
"Kev,"she managed to tear away from him." I love this and all but the party starts in a few hours and the caterers are gonna be here with the remainder of the food and,"he interrupted her with the closure over her mouth. His tongue twisting her words into a heated whirlwind of pleasure.
"You were saying?"He smirked as he broke away.
"You smell good,"she said drawing the string of the robe open. She ran her fingers over the ridges of his abs, upward over his firmly toned pecs and rested her hands on the nape of his neck; randomly playing with soft dark strands."I could do a million things to you right now that would drive you crazy but I know how much you want me already so it would really be useless,"she said continuing to play with his hair.
He groaned at this simplest of her ministrations."Watch the hands girl,"he said as she slipped the material off his broad shoulders and half way down his arms.
"What are you gonna do if I don't?"She smiled.
He silently responded with a look and sent tiny little buttons flying all over the kitchen floor.
This was Kevin?"Okay. What'd you do with my husband?"
"He took a leave of absence,"his lips seeking hers out once again."Am I going to get a good report?"
"I dont' know. So far so good though,"She taunted."Ah!" she squeeked as he flung her over his shoulder."Kevin! Where are we going?"
"We're going to clean up."
"You're already clean."
"I know but I thought you might need some help."
"I know how to clean myself thank you very much."
"I know but you'll love the way I do it,"he said reaching into the shower; still holding onto her.
"Would you put me down now?"
"Not yet,"He said checking the temperature. Perfect.
"Kevin!"She protested.
"He's not here."
"Not funny,"she whined as he stepped into the steaming waters. He had managed to shrug out of the robe and hold onto her somehow before they entered."Damn you!" She spat as the water soaked the clothing to her body.
He just smirked as she carried on.
"What?!"
"Come here,"he said as he sat on the marble seat in the shower.
"No,"she pouted.
"No?"
"Why should I?"pretending to be upset.
"Oh come on Jordan. I was just trying to be a little spontaneous."
"Gotcha!"She smiled and peeled away the soaked material.
"I should punish you for that."
" It's already punishment enough that I don't know what you're gonna do to me."
"Well why don't you come a little bit closer and find out."
"I don't know. I'm kinda scared,"she teased as she let the water cascade over her naked form.
"Why don't you come over here, sit on my lap and tell me all about it."
"You know my husband could walk in here anytime."
"That's a chance I'm willing to take. Have mercy on a guy."
He'd resorted to begging. When was the last time that happened?"Maybe we should find out before he gets home from work,"She pondered. She knew he wouldn't take much more before she'd be against a wall.
"Jo-jo." His voice turned down to that deep, sensual rumble it took on activating every hormone in her body. His eyes penetrating her, breaking her down; almost hypnotic.
"So what is it you want me to do?"she said innocently.
He didn't speak.
She knew. She just wanted to hear him say it. It was killing him. Oh, okay. She'd give in this one time. She lowered herself onto his pulsating organ; sinking slowly into the sensation of having a part of him that she thought was long gone.
"God I missed you,"he said resting his hands on her hips once their bodies were reacquainted.
"It hasn't been that long."
"Its been that long since it hasn't felt like work."
"Kev."
"Yeah?"
"You don't know how happy I am to hear you say that,"she said her hips grinding slowly as she kissed him.
He wrapped his arm around her waist. He slowed her actions as he stood; holding onto the soft curvascious flesh of her backside. Their bodies still connected at the lips and the hips. Her legs wrapped tightly around his body until he found the wall. She could have cum in literally seconds with the force of his body pushing her up the slick tiled wall. Slowing, deepening. He knew just how to trigger her but he wasn't done. He'd bring her just to that brink and back off into another full attack before letting them both have the fulfillment.
"Surrender?"His green eyes greedily seeking the answer in hers.
"Not on your life mister,"she challenged; her body claiming otherwise.
"You sure about that sweetness?"
"I want my husband to find us."
"You're gonna make me work for this aren'tcha?"He said; forcing her to comply with his body's wishes.
"Fuuaa.....,"she supplied shortly as his final imposition claimed them both.
Her body pinned against the wall; still very much a part of him. Her breath sporadic against his shoulder. She didn't want to let this feeling go. Not yet but she knew she had to. As she found her breathing even once again, she planted soft kisses against his wet shoulder; leading a path toward his lips. She found his gaze dazzling more so after making love than any other time she knew." I do so love you ."
He didn't need to say the words because it was always in his eyes. She had just been missing the signal lately."I love you."
"I hate to be a party pooper baby but..
"I know, "he interrupted; leaving her with a kiss to last her up to bringing in the new year.
Chapter 11 by Simple Sue
"So how are things going with Kev these days?"Amy inquired.
"He hasn't left my side all night up until now."
"I noticed that. Almost like he's got some posessiveness issue going on. What's with that?"
"I dunno. Maybe he just wants the world know how much he loves me," Jordan said exchanging glances;she not feeling very comfortable at the hole he was boring into her.
"And what's with the cutie and you?"
"What are you talking about?"She sipped on her frozen strawberry dacquiri."You can't tell me I haven't introduced you to Kevin's cousin."
"That's Brian?"
"You sound surprised."
"I just find it hard to believe that they come from the same bloodline."

He couldn't believe that she could just blow it off. Like nothing had happened. Something had happened. Something his body wouldn't soon forget. Maybe he should. It seemed as though she and Kev had more than patched things up. Then why was he so determined to break his cousin's marriage up? It's not like he intentionally set out on doing it but she started it. Yeah. Being childish is gonna help."Tell me something Brian,"AJ said looking over Brian's shoulder in the direction he'd been looking.
"Huh?" His response distant.
"Man you are in trouble boy."
"What are you talking about?"
"Why are you undressing Jordan like nobody's business here?"
"I am not,"He returned irritably.
"Look, I don't know what happened but I do know whatever it was better stay where it happened or you're gonna have a handful of Kevin in the kisser."
"You seriously think something happened between us?"
"I've been in your life how long Brian? I know that look. I don't know when it happened but as I said you better pray to God he never finds out."
"Did you fly in just to irritate the hell out of me or for his party?"
"Both,"AJ quipped.
"Okay."
"Between you and me, what did happen?"
"Why should I tell you?"
"Because if you don't, I'll get Nick to hound you and you know how bad that is."
"All I'm telling you is that it did happen and now I'm paying for it."
"Whatever you want Bri. I'm off to introduce myself to her friend,"he said finding his way across the room.

No question there. Both very passionate men but damn she couldn't let Brian get to her like this.
"Jordan. Looking lovely as always. Why have you not introduced me to your beautiful friend here yet?" AJ approached them.
"Age, this is Amy, Amy Age,"she produced unenthusiastically.
"Try to remember it's New Year's Eve Jore,"Amy said.
"I'll try."
"The name's Alex,"he glared at Jordan and took Amy's hand placing a kiss lightly on it.
"You'll excuse us ALEX,"she said. She dragged Amy to the other side of the room. She so didn't want to be near Brian but maybe introducing him to Amy would take his focus off of her."Brian," Jordan caught his attention.
"Hey Jordan,"he greeted.
"Hey. Have I introduced you to my friend Amy?"
"I don't believe so. I would have remembered such a lovely creature."
That's the way Brian. Get a dig in if it makes you feel bigger she thought as she met the darts in his gaze.
"Nice to meet you Brian. Now I know why she's been hiding you from her single friends. You're a heartbreaker,"Amy complimented not even noticing the silent conversation that had occured between Jordan and Brian.
"Could you excuse us for a second Amy?"
"Don't keep him too long,"Amy urged as Brian followed Jordan from the room and into the library."What the hell do you think you're doing?
"Jealous?"
"Hardly. You need to stop playing whatever game it is you're playing and let me go."
"Just like you let me."
"If the circumstances were any different."
"We wouldn't be having this discussion."
"Brian. I can't just walk away from him. I love him."
"You love him yet you cheated on him?"
"As I recall you were there too. You managed to talk me into it so I imagine you really could have talked me out of it if you were that gung ho about it."
"I never wanted it to happen Jordan. Believe me."
"Don't go playing the good boy on me now. You are anything but. I could break a few million hearts if I told them what you're really like."
"And I could break the one that would mean the world to you."
"You didn't go there."
"Choose your weapons carefully Jordan,"he said as he backed her against the desk.
"Come on Brian. We can't do this. It's wrong."
"No it isn't."
"Yes, it is,"she said pointedly as she soon found herself trapped between him and the desk.
"God you always smell so good Jordan,"he whispered hotly against her ear and took the drink from her hand; placing it as far as he could from them.
"Brian,"She protested weakly.
He had her right where he wanted her and didn't care where they were. Her defenses were down and there was no way he wasn't getting out of here without another taste of her delicious curves.
"You know,"she said unsteadily as his hand ran steadily up her bare arm."He could,"her breath now uneven."Walk in,"the other surfacing upon her cheek."Anytime,"She managed to push out as his eyes met hers. Oh those beautiful blue eyes. How is it she managed to forget the whole world when he set those on her?
"You were saying?"
"Shut up and kiss me,"she pulled him in and captured his lips. God! She loved the way he taunted her with his tongue. The thought of that elsewhere stirred her as his lips left hers.
He looked her in the eye.
"You are evil."
"Now, now I'm the good boy remember?"he grinned as he languidly peeled the buttons of her blouse apart.
"Right,"she ran her fingers up under his sweater."You know I hate you."
"Sure you do,"he said, inching her skirt further up.
She responded by unlatching his belt."You know you could stop me anytime here."
"Now why would I wanna do that?"He smirked as he pulled the sweater over his head.
"Because this,"she said as he pushed the silk off her shoulders."is my home,"she continued but his eyes found hers as he tripped the enclosure of white satin; a small pink flower disguising it. Her full, rounded breasts spilled freely from their restraints."And we could,"she said; slowly losing her train of thought to the daring glint disguised by the beauty of his eyes. She couldn't continue and yet her body was begging her, practically insisting that she did continue."Brian. Please stop,"she weakly begged.
"I don't really think you want me to,"He held her gaze as his hand slipped under the satin thong already wet with her body's desire.
"Stop!"She pushed him away."Just don't look at me like that."
"Like this?"he met her gaze dead on before letting it drift down to the satin patch of material. He knelt down.
He drew the satin material off with no more fight. She had no more to give. Her body was weak with lust. She loved her husband but Brian set a fire burning in her that she couldn't explain. Nor cared to at that very moment. He knelt back between her legs; softly nipping upon her thigh. His tongue sliced through her moistened crevice. He rolled the pink little knob between his teeth for what seemed an eternity before slicing down into her heat. She grasped the desk as his tongue slowly wormed it's way inside her body. She bit her lower lip to silence the pleasurable moans escaping her as continued working into her body.
The door opened slightly; shedding light on the couple so blissfully lost in one another that neither noticed they had been discovered. AJ did a double take at the receiving end of the pleasure and could only assume that the one giving it was Brian because Kevin was out in the other room and Brian had disappeared the same time Jordan had. He quietly closed the door. Shit! What was he supposed to do now? He knew what was going on but he couldn't tell Kevin and what the fuck was Brian thinking?
That's the trouble. Brian wasn't in his right mind. He may be the labeled good boy of the group but that doesn't make him any less human than the rest of us. Only problem here though; he's playing with fire and that he does know.
Chapter 12 by Simple Sue
Brian surfaced from between her legs and found her breathless but smiling.
"You are so delicious,"he whispered
"You know I still hate you,"she returned.
"Then I guess you're really gonna hate me once we're done," he stated; drawing her to the edge of the desk and slowly entering her.
"I really do hate you,"she smiled as she met the languid motion of his drive.
He silently responded with the increase in his rhythm not expecting her to keep up with him.
"Dammit!...Oh Jeez!"she exhausted; her head thrown back in the sheer pleasure of his intensity.
She brought herself upright."Holy!....I...really....ha..
He silenced the sound of her pleasure within the confinement of his own. The pleasure had been short lived but well worth it. She rested her head on his bare shoulder and spoke when she could."You are a bad, bad man Mr. Littrell. I do so hate you."
He smiled. He knew things were far from over. She'd be back for more when the time was more appropriate.

"Hey Brian! Where you been? There's a certain little cutie been looking for you,"Alex approached him.
"Who?"
"That friend of Jordan's."
Just the sound of her name made his skin tingle."Really? Where is she?"
"Disappeared with somebody else a few minutes ago. You were a little occupied then as I recall."
"What are you talking about?"
"Happy New Year cuz!"Kevin said slapping Brian on the back of his shoulder."I haven't seen you all night. You manage to blend in or something. You wouldn't happen to know where my beautiful wife is would you?"
Brian almost lost it.
"I'm right here baby. I had to go change into another shirt. Damn strawberry dacquiri attacked me,"she said rescuing Brian.
" You need to ease up on those."
"So Brian, how are you and my friend Amy hitting it off? And I'll ease up when you do babycakes."
"We're not,"he responded cooly
"I'm sorry to hear that. She seemed to take a liking to you when I introduced you earlier."
"Well that's what you get for thinking Jordan,"he snipped and walked away.
"What's up his ass?"Kevin inquired hoping that Jordan would have some sort of answer for him.
"I dont' know baby. Maybe it's new year's eve and he doesn't have a warm set of lips like I do to kiss him at midnight,"she lightly kissed him.
"Poor guy."
She didn't know how the hell she was pulling this off but she saved her ass and Brian's all in one sweep there. Yeah, poor guy. If he only knew how deprived his "innocent" cousin was.
Chapter 13 by Simple Sue
"Kevin! You get your ass back here now!"Jordan demanded as she followed him upstairs.
"Why? So you can tell me how much of a man I'm not too?"He spat back at the top of the stairs before turning to head for their room.
Ughhhh! He was so incorrigible sometimes."Dammit Kevin! Would you stop being a child for two seconds?"She yelled this time in hopes of retaining his attention.
"So now I'm a child?" He glared at her before continuing to fling a multitude of clothing for his business trip that weekend.
"What do you want? Do you want me to say I'm so sorry that this isn't working out baby because I've already apologized profusely for having to try things my way. I don't know what to tell you. I want to give you children more than you'll probably ever let get through that thick skull of yours but obviously I can't say or do anything that's gonna help us."
"If you'd have done what the doctors had said in the first place we might not be dealing with this right now."
"So now this is all on me? You've got some nerve blaming me for all our conception methods. The doctor said there was one more way we could try."
"Jesus Jordan! How many times do I have to tell you that there is no way on God's Green Earth I'm gonna let science interfere with what we should be able to do biologically. If we're meant to have a gaggle of children running around the house, then by God's good grace we will but if we don't, then we're not meant to."
" You sonofabitch! I married you because I wanted to spend a full life with you and that meant having children in it too. You really believe you'll be considered less of a man if you do things my way don't you? Nobody has to know but us Kevin."
"Brian knows."
"Brian is the only one that knows and I'll be damned if you think I would tell anybody else."
"Tell me something Jordan. Was my Mom so wrong in believing my cousin has a thing for you?"
"What are you talking about?"
"It seems like every time we have a fight you go running off to him. Are you sleeping with him?"
"I can't believe you would ask me such a question."
"It's just a question."
"That wasn't a question. That was an accusation."
"Well?"
"Are you going away on business this weekend?"
"You know I'm going away on business this weekend Jordan. How can you ask me..such..a.. point taken."
"I would never do that to you Kevin. I love you and I took this marriage for better or for worse. I can't even imagine what you're feeling but you haven't been a wide open book on your end. We're in this together. It takes two of us to make it work."
"Well when one of starts working then let me know."
Disbelief crossed her features. That was low for Kevin even." Have a nice fucking trip!"she bellowed as she stormed out of the room.
Damn her!"What the fuck did I do?"
"Nothing. Leave me alone,"she said as threw her coat on; zipping it up. She slipped her gloves on."Have a nice fucking trip!" She yelled back toward the door as she made her way to the car.
"Run off to him like you always do. I hope he's worth ruining our marriage."
"I wouldn't know about that but maybe today's the perfect time to find out if he is."
Chapter 14 by Simple Sue
She should have known better but like a moth to a flame she went running back. This time Kevin had provoked it but she had been lying to Kevin for the last two months. They had been trying and trying and when they received the latest
results, he once again proceeded to let her know in no uncertain terms that she was to blame. Of course she was. She'd done everything wrong. SHE didn't follow the doctor's orders. SHE didn't consummate often enough. And when she mentioned their ultimate altertnative suggested by the doctors, he went ballistic. He was a man dammit and there was no way on God's Green Earth he was having any of it. If he couldn't give her children then they weren't going to be blessed in such a matter after all. And that is how he had left things. And this. She thought he went ballistic over their "little" problem, she could only imagine what his reaction was gonna be to this. She had to stop it. It was gonna hurt somebody in the end and she'd hurt things enough by letting it go on as long as it had. She watched the twilight's soft shadow as she pondered the possibility of sneaking out. Too late. Brian's arm draped over her. Shit! She had to get out of here. She tried sliding out but he drew her in against himself."Where do you think you're going?"he whispered.
"I'm going home."
"Stay with me tonight."
"Excuse me?"She turned to face him.
"You heard me."
"I heard you alright. I just don't believe it."
" I don't want to have you just part of the time anymore."
"And you know why you can't. I love Kevin."
"So you keep telling me. If you loved your husband half as much as you say do, you wouldn't be sharing a bed with me now would you?"
She got out of the bed and started gathering her clothes."You pushed the wrong button."
"You know I'm right,"he said as he watched her dress." 'Sides, I thought the love of your life was out of town this weekend anyway. Who's gonna know if you don't sleep in your own bed tonight?"
"I will."
"You feel guilty about going home to a cold lonely bed and yet you can lie to him with a straight face time after time with no guilt about us? I can't say I'm understandin' your logic,"he said sitting up. The sheet played across his lower
extremities; hinting at the chance that it would fall from that point at any time.
Don't look straight into the eyes. Oh damn him! For as much as this was wrong, he was right. There was nobody to go home to and as much as she wanted to deny herself, she couldn't."So you think me staying tonight is gonna make this easier?"
"I didn't say that it'd be easier, I just thought you might like the company."
"That's a new one. So what do I get out of it?"
"For starters, I thought we'd start with a little dinner and talk and then we could have a little more fun."
"Get dressed and I'll see what I can whip up for dinner,"she said and left the room.

She was still staring in the refrigerator when he leaned against her back looking over her shoulder."So what's the verdict?"
"Pizza delivery?"
"You can't whip up anything from what I've got?"
"Are you kidding me? The cupboard is bare."
"Then let's not air condition the kitchen,"he remarked.
"You have to move first."
"I do?"
"Brian!"
"Oh alright,"he relucted and went to grab the phone. He ordered and then turned back to Jordan."That leaves us a half and hour before they get here."
"Only a half an hour?"She traced a finger down his naked chest."What ever shall we do?"
"The table's free,"he suggested; a mischievious grin spreading on his face.
"The table eh?"she said removing her blouse as she backed toward it.
"Hang on just a sec,"he backed up.
"What?"
"YOU, didn't wanna play before dinner and being the gentleman that I am, I'm gonna respect your wishes."
"Tease."
"Lil ole me?"
She pulled him toward herself with the waistband of his sweats."This is still so wrong,"she smiled.
"I know but you have all night to tell me about it."
Chapter 15 by Simple Sue
He would be home soon. She wandered around the house waiting for him to return. The way things ended. God! He was so stubborn but then again, had she been much better? No. She was cheating on her husband for God's sake. Still, it didn't make the fact that they were at ends over starting a family any easier. She curled her foot under herself as she sat on the piano bench. She traced over the keys his fingers ran over endless numbers of nights as she slept. Sure she could have interrupted him those nights but she left him to his music. She let her fingers run a few more strokes over the keys before her fist came down on them. She slammed the door down over the keys. She sobbed uncontrollably into her hands. Oh God what have I done? My life is falling apart. Just what am I supposed to do? I love him God. Please just let me have my nice little boring normal life back. Please!

He watched as the sobs continued consuming her body. What should he do? She didn't even hear him come in the front door. Had she followed through on her threat? Is that why she was so upset? Come on. You don't even buy into the Brian thing. He would never do something like that and Jordan's words were meant out of spite. He'd been just as much to blame for the state their marriage was as she. More so some days. You love her. Why can't you tell her this? Because you're a stubborn ole goat is what you are. You don't realize that this problem really is killing her as much as it is you. But why can't she understand that it tears me apart to be able to make love to her all night long but not be able to bring a child with her eyes and his determination into their world? He couldn't be the man she fell in love with anymore. There was just no way. He turned and dragged the luggage upstairs. He sighed as he popped open a suitcase. It was no use. His little Jo-Jo was in pain and it was all because of him. He just knew it had to be. He buried his face in his hands. His marriage was falling apart and he couldn't control it. That's what pissed him off more than anything. His life falling apart and he had no control. He always had control.

Sleep. That's what she needed. Sleep was always good. She rose from the piano bench and made her way toward the bedroom. Something stopped her in her tracks. She stood in the door watching all the strength and power drain from the man she loved in the form of emotion. He finally had broken down. What she wouldn't give to be his strength right now. Why couldn't she? Because she didn't know how much strength she had to give. Her body was practically weakened and it wasn't all due to the misery at hand. It was just a strong contributor. She walked toward him; unsure of what she was going to do but was going with the flow seemed to be the best bet. Neither of them seemed to be in the mood to argue. She stood in front of him until his head rose from it's position. His beautiful emerald eyes blurred with a heartache which was more than likely the cause of her. He managed to notice the puffiness surrounding her eyes and pulled her near. He clung to
her; his head resting against her chest.
Dumbfounded, she rested her hands on top of his
head; each alternately leaving and stroking him comfortingly. After what seemed an eternity,she finally dared to speak."Kev? Honey?"
He raised his head and found her patiently waiting for his response."What's happening to us Jo-Jo?"
"Nothing baby."Absolutely everything.
"Are you sure?"
"Hunny, I'm positive. We took each other for better or worse. I plan to stick with you no matter what."
"I'm serious."
"I am too. I'm too tired to keep hashing this out week after week, month after month."
"Then what are we gonna do about it baby? I don't see any solutions just calling out our names."
Now might be a good time to suggest that perhaps she was the problem."I know you made the suggestion but maybe I'm not so fertile."
"The doctor said you were fine."
"Doctors have been known to screw up. They're not God. I've been thinking about it and maybe, just maybe I'm not as fertile as I could to help this process along. Maybe we should get a second opinion."
"And maybe we should let the whole world know we're trying to build a family with no foundation to work from."
"I don't know what else we can do. I want to have children and I want to have them soon. We've been married nearly three years. It's not like it's against the law for us to be asking for a little aid in our venture. Most people with our problems would kill to have the resources we have available."
"I don't want to advertise that
"You don't want to advertise that you're human Kevin. I'm in love with a stubborn old mule that hates to admit to his public that he has faults,"Jordan interrupted.
"I do not."
"You do too. Look at the rest of them. AJ's gone through more diversities than hair colors, Nick had to grow up under the eye of an overbearing Mother, Howie had to basically ignore a family death for your fame and Brian, his health. You have problems Kevin. Your fans love you because of your human side. But this isn't about them. You are more normal than you let yourself believe and I won't let you tear yourself up over it. Let me be there for you. Let's make this work. I know we can."
He'd known her to speak her mind but this was ridiculous. This was their personal life people were gonna try and pry in on. Come on Kev. You're used to that. But this is different he argued with his conscience. No it isn't. Your little Jo-Jo's right. You won't admit to being less than perfect and not quite so strong.
"Are you with me on this?"She said drawing his gaze up to hers.
"Make the appointment Jo-Jo."
"I love you Kevvy. Now how was your trip?"
He sighed heavily."Exhausting. I could just fall over right now."
Pushing the suitcase off the bed, Jordan centered herself amongst the pillows."Sounds good. Need a pillow?"
"That is a mighty temptin offer. How can I refuse?"He slipped out of his shoes and rested his head on her stomach. She stroked his hair.
He looked up to her."So how was your weekend?"
How to answer? "Oh you know the usual. Hung out with the girls, got drunk and talked about how irritating men are,"she smiled cheekily."Just kidding."
"Knowing your friends that doesn't surprise me."
"Hey! Some of yours aren't such upstanding members of the community."
"I know."
" Sides, I had to tell them what an outstanding husband I have and that shut them right up." He hadn't been lately but she hadn't been the outstandingly perfect wife either.
"And they bought that?"
"We've had our problems baby but we're good together."And so were she and Brian. Shit! That boy can find his way into my mind anytime. We need to work on that.
"Yes we are and just so I can be that spectacular to you again, I need rest,"he said resting his head back on her stomach once again. One day he thought. One day she'll be so round I can't lay my head here anymore. At least he hoped she would as his body gave into it's weariness.
She stroked his hair softly as she watched him sleep. How could she be doing this to him? He didn't deserve it but she tried resisting and she couldn't. She had to though. For her sanity. And for the sake of her marriage more importantly.
Chapter 16 by Simple Sue
What was she going to do? She had to stop this and NOW. For the last two months, she and Kevin had been doing so well and she didn't want to screw that up. It was hard to remind herself of that when she stuffed her ring inside her purse every time she and Brian met. The excuses were getting harder and harder to come up with as well. She couldn't meet the girls to go shopping
two, three times a week. Or could she? The line between reality and little place she liked to called The best of both worlds was quickly blending together. Kevin wasn't a stupid man and he'd figure out soon enough that his Mother had been right about the deviant he knew as his cousin. Okay, so maybe Brian wasn't a deviant but he certainly wasn't pushing her away. He knew what he wanted and as long as she was willing to give it up, he wasn't gonna shove her off his doorstep. That much she did know. She felt his breath on her bared shoulder as she looked out the window.
"Something on your mind Jo-Jo?"Brian's hands skimmed her arms.
Okay. This had to stop now. He was using Kevin's nicknames."What'd you just call me?"She turned.
"Jo-Jo. You don't like being called that?"
"Not by you. I can't do this anymore Brian."
"Do what?"
"What we're doing."
"What are we doing Jordan?"
She glared at him."Smartass isn't gonna work on you right now."
"You didn't seem to mind it two hours ago."
"Funny. You could have let me go any time you wanted to but I didn't see you pushing me off your doorstep."
"Then if you didn't wanna be here any longer, why didn't you just walk out the door?"
"I don't think you would have taken that as a signal."
"Who are you kidding Jordan? If you were gonna leave today, you would have walked out of here by now. I know you."
"You know me?"
"Yes I know you. I know this would have never happened had you had a husband that paid more attention to your needs."
She reached to slap him across the cheek and gripped her hand."I don't think you wanna be doing that. Catching the other hand as it made an attempt for his face."Nor that. You like the way I make you feel or you wouldn't keep coming back."
He was telling the truth but why'd he have to pick now to become arrogant just like Kevin did when he was winning a fight? Why else would she be here if she didn't like what he did for her but she had other things to think about."Let go of me,"she demanded.
"I don't think you really want me to do that."
She attempted to break free from his grip but he wasn't budging. And she was walking out of here today. She was determined to."Why won't you let me go?"
"Why won't you leave him?"
"Because I love him."
"As you've said so many times before. You don't love him or you wouldn't be cheating on him."
"I do love my husband and whatever troubles we had, we're working through. I don't wanna screw it up any more than I have."
"I get it. I'm just a mistake you made along the way."Letting her go.
"Don't you make me out to be the bad guy Brian. You had just as much a part in this as I did. You could have told me to go to my friends when I was having trouble with my husband but you didn't. You wanted me."
"And you didn't want me?"
"I needed a male point of view and you were there. I didn't know it was gonna turn into what it has."
"And what exactly did we have Jordan?"
"We had a few good times Brian. That's it. If you honestly expected it to last then you were only fooling yourself. I have no intention of leaving him."
"Then get the hell out of here."
She pulled her blouse on and her skirt."Shoulda known it ran in the family."
"Excuse me?"He backed her against the wall once again. She'd pissed him off now.
"I said, should have known that it runs in the family."
"What exactly runs in the family?"
"That damn temper. Now, I'm leaving like you asked,"she responded irritably.
"You don't deserve to be a part of this family,"he yelled behind her as she made her way out of the house.
She unlocked her car door."Well when Kevin decides otherwise, I am."
Chapter 17 by Simple Sue
"Hurry it up Jo-Jo! We're gonna be late!"Kevin bellowed from the base of the stairs.
"Cool your heels! I'm coming,"she returned just as loudly from the top; putting her earring in.
"Wow!"
"What?"Jordan came down the stairs toward him.
"It's just that you look amazing tonight."
"You've seen me in this dress a hundred times Kev,"she responded nonchalantly as she searched for her purse.
"Looking for something?"He said holding up the misplaced object.
"Thank you."She pecked him on the cheek."And thank you for thinking I look so amazing. I haven't felt that way recently."
"You're always amazing. Especially with the way I've been lat-
She placed a finger over his lips."Don't even. You've had every right. So why is it exactly Brian's throwing this little shindig?"
"He didn't say. He said we'd know when we got there."He hated doing this to her but he wanted to surprise her for her birthday and doing it at home would have been harder to keep a secret.
She couldn't exactly show any emotion where it concerned Brian. It had been a month since she'd ended the affair and she surprisingly enough found the will to make it happen. After all, look at what she was battling. She had the best of both worlds going on. She should be pissed about Kevin not remembering her birthday but that was the least of her worries considering the circumstances."Okay. So are we both ready now?"
"I think so. Shall we?" he said opening the door for her.


"You are so rotten,"Jordan playfully hit his chest two hours later amongst a crowd of their family and friends. This was still hard but she was doing her best.
"It was the only way to get you out of the house."
She looked at the charm bracelet Kevin had got her for her birthday. He said that they'd get a charm for each one of their children. He was really trying."Then again, you are kinda sweet sometimes."
"Only sometimes?"He pouted.
"That doesn't work for you baby."
"I know this does then,"he said and softly kissed her.
"Get a room you two,"Brian's voice interrupted them.
They broke apart and looked toward him. And that's when it happened. Jordan felt a strange new sensation as she saw the party accompanying Brian. It certainly couldn't be jealousy could it? She shouldn't be.
"So who is this lovely lady Bri and where have you been hiding her?"Kevin inquired.
"Kevin...Jordan, this is LeighAnne."
Jordan was also feeling very queazy these days. Nothing seemed to want to agree with her. After she greeted LeighAnne, she excused herself and ran to the nearest bathroom to heave up everything for the second time that day. Maybe it was the third. Who knew? She was going back to the doctor on Monday anyway. Then she'd know. There was a tap on the door.
"Jo-Jo. Are you okay in there?"Kevin's voice came from the other side.
She opened the door."I'm fine baby."
"No you're not Jo-Jo. This is the third time today. Do you have the flu or something?"
"Kevin...really, I'm okay."
"Jordan... Are you?"Hope against hope he prayed for what he thought it might be.
"I don't know for sure Kevin. I'm going back on Monday. I didn't wanna say anything until I knew for sure. Please don't say anything until we know okay?"
"You expect me to keep quiet when this could be the best news we've had in forever?"
"Could is the keyword Kevin. Please?"
"Okay,"he agreed and lightly kissed her on the forehead. He owed her at least that much for all the hell he'd put her through to get this far.
Chapter 18 by Simple Sue
False alarm yet again. Was this ever going to work? Maybe if they did let nature take it's course they wouldn't be in the state they were in meaning the constant bickering and her recent affair with his relative. She had to distance herself from it in that manner because it was the only way she could keep from remembering the way he felt and the way he touched her and if that didn't help her, she'd distanced herself with that show of attitude he pulled on the day she made it final. God she was wishing she hadn't today because Kevin had become the most royal pain in the ass. He slipped his boots on and flung his coat on before she even knew he was gone. They'd fought earlier in the day. and now he was on his way to the stables for the third day straight with no mention of when he'd be back. And it was getting so this was their daily routine. He'd wake up and take his shower, go downstairs and start breakfast without so much as a 'good morning' or 'hey darlin why don't we?' . Then she'd go downstairs and it would start with something as simple as her wanting frosted mini wheats on the grocery list. Well this was where it was gonna end today she decided as she bundled herself up.

She couldn't possibly understand what he was going through. They had found out that she was in perfect health and most capable of carrying a child to full term but he was unable to give that to her the way nature intended them to conceive. She was understanding but it hurt just the same knowing he could never give her that. Give her the one thing in life every man should be able to give his wife. He stroked the mare's mane; lost in his thoughts.
"Kev,"she spoke softly so as not to spook the horses.
"What do you want?"He replied tersely.
"We need to talk."
Four words in the world no man liked to hear."We don't have anything left to talk about."
"Jesus Kevin! I have no idea what you're going through and you won't tell me. Please let me in."
"Leave me alone Jo-Jo."
"Dammit Kevin! I can't leave you alone anymore. I feel like we're falling apart and it's because of your pigheadedness that we are."
"Me?! What about you? Haven't you been a little more than stubborn yourself?"
"I was stubborn to prove a point to you but you obviously are still stuck in that little alternate reality called 'Poor Kevin and everybody who dumps on him'. Wake up Kev. This is not all about you. It takes two of us to make this thing work. I'm getting tired of being the only one trying to make things work. Give me one good reason why I shouldn't up and leave your ass today."
"You wouldn't do that."
"You've known me how long?"
"Then what's stopping you?"
"You. I love you so damn much Kevin and you keep shutting me out. Like this isn't killing me too."
"You have no idea what I'm going through."
"Then tell me Kevin. Talk to me. Tell me what's going on."
"I can't."
"Why not?"
"Because you wouldn't understand."
"Because you won't let me understand."
"You're gonna spook the horse Jordan."
"It's good that something gets spooked around here cuz it sure as hell ain't you."She started to walk away and was caught by the strength of his hand.
"I am not scared Jordan."
"God Kevin. I can see it in your eyes all the time anymore. You're afraid that I think less of you because of your situation. I have never once emasculated you because of this. I have tried everything in my power to make you feel more like a man but you won't let me."
"So now you feel sorry for me?"
"That's not what I said. Now let go of me. You're hurting me."
"I'm glad because you've been hurting me for a long time. Would you like to tell me exactly what happened on Christmas Day between you and my cousin?"
"We had an argument. That's all."
"I'm beginning to think that my Mom was right about Brian after all."
"Meaning what?"
"Meaning he's had his eye on you for as long as I can remember."
"He's got a girlfriend now Kevin."
"But before that?"
She looked at him disbelievingly. She knew what he was implying was true but she couldn't believe he'd out and out stand there and accuse her without the proof."Surely you're not suggesting I'm having an affair with your cousin."
"Are you?"
"Oh that is it Kevin Richardson. If you don't have enough faith in me to believe what I tell you then maybe we should call it quits."
"At least the children won't suffer."
"That was cold even for you."
"Then maybe you don't know me as well as you thought you did."
"Maybe I don't,"she said; jerking her arm from his grip. She started walking away from him when she heard the last comment he made.
"I hope he's worth losing me."
Maybe he was.
Chapter 19 by Simple Sue
What was the use anymore? Kevin didn't care about their marriage like he used to. Well at least not in the sense of 'in sickness and in health'. Her appetite had been growing as of late and she couldn't or didn't dare venture to the possibility that they'd finally made it work. Then there was that one last afternoon she spent with Brian before she and Kevin had made up. She was kicking herself in the butt for that. She swore after she broke it off that it would never happen again. Brian was very persuasive when he wanted to be. A simple word from him and her clothes were on the floor before they'd even hit the bedroom. She was staring out the window watching Kevin break in the new one. Beautiful, dark and just as stubborn as he was.. She looked at the clock on the nightstand and sighed. Just a few more minutes and she'd know. She hadn't dared to get his hopes up because quite honestly, she was beginning to think it was the one thing that was gonna save their marraige. And everybody in the world knows how well that works out. The timer went off and shifted her focus back to the stick in the bathroom. The one that could produce a new future for the Richardsons(if she was lucky).
Picking up the stick, she saw the plus sign. Positive. Positive...Positive! Oh sweet Jesus! There was a God in Heaven ! She jumped up and down in the bathroom. After calming down and regaining some decorum, she realized she would have to confirm with her doctor. She really wanted to keep it from Kevin but her overzealousness wouldn't allow it. Running out of the house and toward the pen, she fidgeted anxiously on the outside of it waiting to catch his eye. When she did, he calmed the horse and left it to the staff."What's going on baby?"
She held the stick up for him.
"For real?"
"I don't wanna get our hopes up but I've done three different tests and they've all come out positive."
"So we really could be this time?"
"I'll call the doctor and see how soon I can get in but
"We're gonna have a baby!" He lifted her off the ground; swinging her around.
She was starting to get nauseous as he continued to spin her around."Uh Kev?"
"Yeah baby?"
"Could ya stop please? I'm gettin a little green."
He settled her down and no sooner than he did, up came lunch.
"Jo-Jo, I am so sorry."He helped her steady herself.":I just got so excited and
"It's okay honey. It's a good sign. Doesn't feel very good granted." She smiled."I'm gonna go in and make that call."
"You want me to come with?"
"I'll be fine. You finish what you were doing and I'll be fine. I'll do somethin nice for dinner." She went in and made the appointment then flipped the television on. The afternoon schedule seemed to be throwing her life right back at her as she surfed through the countless channels. Good God! it's not like she hadn't considered that possibility but she wasn't about to deny herself and Kevin a family either. They'd been trying for nearly two years and now the opportunity was there. And maybe, just maybe it was Mother Nature's way of helping them along by her little fling. Yeah.. okay. She could reason all she wanted to but in the end she'd know she'd cheated on her husband and when it came to family in this group, there was no way out of being able to avoid the obstacle. Would he fight them if it came to the fact that the child was his? That would be when her world fell apart. She prayed they'd never have to find that out.


~Two Days Later~


She fidgeted on the cold padding of the sterile bed as she awaited the answer to her question. Her legs dangled off the bed; her feet beating a nervous rhythm against the metal base. Her gynecologist entered the room and smiled.
"Little nervous?"
"A little everything."
"Well I have good news for you Jordan. You are pregnant. According to my calculations, you are about ten weeks along. Is Mr. Richardson with you today?"
"Yeah. I made him sit out in the waiting room. I didn't want him in here pacing."
"Well why don't you go give him the good news and then I need to go over a few small things with you before you leave."
"Sure."
She attempted to calmly walk through the halls but her feet kept carrying her faster and faster. She reached the door and found him pacing like she thought he would be."Kevin."
He turned at her voice."Well?"
"We're gonna have a baby!"
"Really?"
"Yes!"She smiled.
He grabbed her in his arms and squeezed her yet again.
"Kev, you're gonna have to watch that."
He eased up on her."I'm sorry sweetie. We're gonna have a baby!"He grinned from ear to ear.
We're gonna have a baby. Woo-hoo.
Chapter 20 by Simple Sue
If she didn't appear to be excited about their news, there was nothing further from the truth. She just had a lot more to contend with than Kevin. What was gonna happen when the family found out? His Mother had been hounding him for ages about grandchildren. It's not like she didn't already have one but she guessed that Momma Richardson was thinking the worst of her. She made it perfectly well known to Jordan last year at Christmas that she was watching her. That she had noticed the 'goings on' between her and Brian. She had no proof but as Jordan was quickly finding out, motherly instincts kick in the minute you become pregnant. His Mother was just protecting him but she knew. She knew she wasn't the only one keeping that secret from Kevin. And as fate would have it, she was gonna have to deal with Momma sooner rather than later. She decided to have a little Birthday dinner for a few close family and friends. They were in the living room, socializing and having a good time. Kevin's fingers tangled with hers. Things were going just fine with them. Their dream finally coming true.
"Happy Birthday cos,"Brian approached and hugged his cousin; temporarily seperating her from Kevin.
"Thank you."
"So where's your better half?"Jordan inquired of Brian.
"Right here,"LeighAnne said and pecked Brian on the cheek.
It shouldn't bother her but it still did. She knew that most intimate part of him as well as LeighAnne did. Probably better considering how long they'd known each other. Yet there was a comfort between the two of them she hadn't seen him ever having with another woman; herself included.
"You are positively glowing these days Jordan. What's your secret?"She bubbled.
"Should we tell them?"Jordan looked to Kevin inquisitively.
"We were gonna wait til we had everybody in here."
"I'll go grab Mom,"his older brother volunteered but before he could reach her the lights went out and the candles from the cake were the only ones illuminating the room. After a rendition of Happy Birthday, he let loose on the candles and the first inquiry came from his Mother of course."So'd your wish come true?"
He looked at his Mother and smiled,"Absolutely." And squeezed Jordan's hand.
"So what's this news I'm hearing about?"
"Well Mom, you know how you'v been bugging us for the pitter patter of little feet. Well, we just found we're pregnant."
The smile that should have shown joy was there more for show."That's great baby. Do you all know what you're having or are you gonna surprise us?"
"Come on Mom. We don't even know that yet. We just found out yesterday."
Jordan saw the discomfort in Brian the minute the words dropped from Kevin's mouth but he plastered on the joy as well. God but could this family fake it! No wonder she fit in so well. She knew exactly what he was thinking and she tried her best to answer him with her eyes but that was near impossible with Momma Richardson in the room. Momma knew too.
"Jordan. Can I have a word with ya darlin?"His Mother inquired.
She knew it was coming."Sure. I'll be right back sweetie,"she said and pecked Kevin on the cheek. She followed the older woman to the back porch.
"So are you going to tell him?"She started out.
Nothing like getting right to it."Tell him what?"
"I know what's going on Jordan and I don't like it one bit."
"Whatever you think is going on is not."
"Really now? I saw the way you were looking at Brian in there."
"I don't know what you think you saw but I can assure you, there's nothing there."
"I love my son Jordan. Don't break his heart."
"I love your son too. That's why I have no intention of telling him anything."
"So you admit there was something then?"
"You're gonna believe what you want Mom, so we'll just leave it at that,"she said; turning and running smack dab into the negative source of their conversation.
"I'm sorry. I was just coming out for some fresh air,"He lied.
Anne glared at Jordan as she passed to rejoin the festivities.
Jordan heaved a sigh as she turned back to the night sky.
"She knows, doesn't she?" Brian said.
"Ya think?"She remarked sarcastically and turned her back to him; arms crossed.
"I'm sorry Jordan. What did you think was gonna happen? That nobody would find out?" Moving in front of her.
"If you're out here much longer, Tim may start putting two and two together. Kevin's long forgotten the idea his Mother put in his head because of the baby."
"I know. I just have to know one thing though Jo." He raised his brow inquisitively.
"No." At least she didn't think so.
Chapter 21 by Simple Sue
"Mornin' sunshine."
Her eyes fluttered open to meet with those gorgeous green eyes of her husband's. He was kneeled beside the bed.
"Happy anniversary baby."
"You remembered."
"It may fall on Thanksgiving occasionally but I never forget the day I married you."
She smiled."I love you."
"I love you too angel. That's why I couldn't wait to give you this." He picked up a small package from the floor." For you."
"You are too good to me." She eased up in the bed so she was leaning against the mountain of pillows.
"And you just get more beautiful with each passing day Jo-Jo. Open it please."
Like a little kid at Christmas he was."Okay." She tore through the paper and found a small white box in her hands. She removed the lid."Oh Kev. It's beautiful." She admired the oval shaped locket with the intricate vinery engraved on it. She lifted it by the chain out of the box. She opened the locket to find her baby picture and a baby picture of his. Her jaw dropped in awe."How did you do this without me knowing?"
"I can do a lot of things without you finding out."
"Oh really?"
"Yeah but as you've pointed out, not very many really. Look on the back."
She flipped the locket closed and looked on the back side of it to find the engraving of Jo-Jo &Kev Forever. She tried holding back the tears of joy but couldn't. Damn hormones! Then again, he always got way sentimental on their anniversary but it didn't change the fact that she was a complete mess."You just love doing this to me every year don't you?"
"I just love making you happy sweetness."
"I know. Thank you. It's beautiful,"she blubbered. Wiping the tears away. "I can't wait to show this off. You think I'm all girlie, wait til Leigh Anne gets a load of this."
"I'm glad you've hit it off with her."
"Me too. She's good for Brian." She had finally got past that twinge of jealousy that coiled in her stomach every time she thought of them together. Leigh Anne was just a nice girl anyway. She could see herself becoming friends with her more quickly had the circumstances been different. What she didn't know wasn't going to hurt her. Leigh Anne and Brian were perfect for each other. Jordan and Brian were making a great cover of their brief fling by remaining the friends that they were. Not that they couldn't ever be friends again. She just wasn't sure the facade would last much longer. After all, the last time she was with Brian was just a few days before she'd finally restored relations with her husband. In the back of her mind she knew that this baby could just as easily be Brian's. She tried not to think about that but it snuck in there every now and again."So what time we supposed to be at your Mom's?"
"You in a hurry to get there today?"
"Just because I ask what time we're supposed to be there does not mean I'm in a rush to get there."
"That's what I thought but it's pushing ten fifteen and we have to be over there around noon."
"And I'm sure your brother and his lovely wife are running right on time."
"They're never on time."
"Which means my fat ass and Leigh Anne will most likely be helping with the finishing touches on dinner."
"No you won't. You're not doing anything physical other than walking today."
"Sure."
"You don't believe me?" He pulled the blankets away and leaned over her slightly rounded figure. "Hey there little one. I got an idea. Why don't I help you and your momma there to the bathroom so she can get cleaned up?" He leaned his ear against her stomach; looking up at her and carrying on as though the baby really had any say in his decision." Okay. You got it little one." He placed a kiss on her belly then lifted her out of the bed.
"You are a nutcase Richardson." Her arms wrapping around his neck for support.
"Yeah but you love me anyway."
Something she'd taken for granted for far too long and would never deny again.


"Oh my goodness Jordan! That is gorgeous!" Leigh Anne gushed as she and Jordan sat at the table gabbing before dinner.
"Thank you. Did you see inside it?"
"No!" She opened it.
"Awwwww.........That is so sweet!"
Kevin looked over their way when he heard the noise. Jordan just gave him a 'see what I told you' smirk. He just shook his head and returned to his conversation.
"He's just been so adorable since we found out. He's started talking to my stomach."
"That's supposed to be good for the baby I hear though."
"Yeah it is. He even reads it a story before we go to bed too. Just when you think you can't be any more in love with them."
"That's so true."
"Did you see what was on the back too?" Jordan leaned on the table and offered the back of the locket to her.
"That is so sweet! Brian! Come here baby! You gotta see this!" She called to him in the living room. A room full of men shushing her; their intent on the screen in front of them.
"Hey darlin. What do I need to see?"He leaned over and kissed her cheek.
"Jordan's anniversary gift. It's so beautiful."
He leaned over the table and took it in his hand.
"Open it,"Leigh Anne urged him.
She felt her heart racing. Please God just let him get this overwith!
He held it there and looked Jordan in the eye. Could she be any colder? He knew she was lying the night of Kevin's party. There was every possibility the baby was his. She just didn't want to have to deal with that possibility and every time Kevin did something like this, it only cut into him more. He wanted a family of his own someday. Someday that was going to be with Leigh Anne. That much he was sure of. It still hurt though. If he hesitated much longer, Leigh Anne was gonna notice."That's nice Jordan. Kev's so excited about the baby. He can't stop talking about it."
"Would you excuse me for a minute? I'm not feeling so hot." Pushing herself up from the table she made a beeline(as quickly as she could move these days) for the nearest bathroom. She shoved the door closed and heaved up the dry toast and tea after her first bout that morning. It wasn't so much the pregnancy this time though. She knew it was the guilt that was eating at her conscience. As mentioned earlier, it was getting more difficult to disguise the way they felt toward one another. Brian had a part of her Kevin would hopefully never find out about and it seemed that Brian was doing better at this game than she was. Damn him!
"Jordan?" Came the feminine voice from the other side." It's Leigh Anne. You okay in there? You been awhile. I told the boys I'd check on you."
"Yeah. Thank you. Give me just a second okay?"
"Alright hun,"She agreed and stood outside the door.
Jordan dipped her hand under the running faucet and rinsed the foul flavor out of her mouth before opening the door.
"Dear Lord. You still look green."
"It's not as bad as it used to be."
"Not all fun and game huh?"
"Well if you call swelled ankles, losing your mind and constant back pain fun then yeah it is,"she joked. If she only knew the real reason, she'd hate her with a passion.
"Something to look forward to."
Jordan laughed."If we only knew when we were girls what all this was about, we'd think twice about it."
"Or make them go through it."
They entered the dining room giggling like a couple of schoolgirls.
"I see you're feeling better,"Kevin said.
"A little bit yeah. Mind if I sit though?"
"You know better than to ask that." He took a seat next to her.
As she settled she felt the slight stirring in her stomach. Then it started getting stronger. More like a kick now. "Kev. Honey. Feel this." Pulling his hand over her stomach.
His eyes lit up."We got us a strong one there."
"Yes we do." She kissed him. Had to be his.
"That's so sweet,"Leigh Anne commented to Brian. She could feel Brian withdraw from her. She knew he was uncomfortable but she couldn't understand exactly why."Everything okay pooh bear?" Taking his hand.
"Yeah I'm fine. Just a little jealous is all." He hated lying to her but if she knew the real reason, he would lose her. He couldn't lose her. He prayed to God that he was wrong about what his gut told him about the baby. He needed that like he needed a hole in the head.
"Me too but we've got all the time in the world baby."
"Yes we do."Forever he hoped.
Chapter 22 by Simple Sue
Christmas was as about uneventful as you could get. Well they did spend it with family but Brian and Leigh Anne spent the holiday with her family. However, New Year's Eve was a different story. Leigh Anne wanted to have a dinner party to ring in the new year and the way she talked about Brian, she knew that he would never deny her a single wish. Maybe he would get that cockamamie idea out of his head that this child growing inside her was his and start a family of his own. She couldn't blame him but she didn't want to believe in that possibility anymore. Kevin was so happy and she didn't want to deny him that happiness. Lord knows that one little word would be all it took to destroy her marriage. She didn't want that either. She'd never been more in love with him than she was now. He was more excited about this child than she was. Not to say that she wasn't, she just wasn't as enthusiastic as he was.
"Something on your mind Jo-Jo?" Kevin reached over and took her hand after putting the vehicle into park.
"I'm okay. Why?"
"You just seemed a million miles away on the way over here."
"Just thinking about what we're gonna do with the nursery."She hated lying to him like that but she'd die if he really knew what was going on up there. It was the only lie she'd ever told him in their entire marriage.
"That one I'm leaving to you baby."
"Thanks so much."
"I'm just kidding. I want to be there for every part. You know that."
"I know. So are we gonna go in or just sit in the drive all night?" She teased.
"Give me a minute would you?" He exited the car and traveled around to her side; opening the door for her. He took her hand and assisted her out.
"You know how much I love you ?" She said once her feet were on the ground.
"More than I love you?" He cocked his eyebrow.
She slapped his chest playfully."Come on studly, let's go before they get suspicious."She took his hand and remained in step with him the entire path.
Leigh Anne greeted them at the door. " How is it you look so gorgeous all the time Jordan?"
"I feel like a blob."
"You are not a blob." Kevin assisted her with her coat after removing his."Where can I put these?"
"Let me take those,"Brian entered the hall."Looking lovely as always Jordan."Giving her a friendly squeeze before he took the coats from Kevin.
"What am I? Chopped liver?" Kevin looked at them both.
"When you can carry a baby Kev, we'll make sure get all the accolades in the world,"Brian teased.
"Come here." Jordan motioned his face closer to hers. " I think you look absolutely gorgeous tonight."And kissed him.
"You're just taking pity on me."
"I would never do that. I love you."
"Break it up you two,"AJ interfered.
"Happy New Year to you too,"Kevin greeted him.
"Every time I see you, you're all over her. It's a wonder you two don't have two or three little rugrats running around already."
"Not for a lack of trying,"Jordan grinned.
Kevin half smiled. It was hard not to think of the reason why it took so long for them to get pregnant then when somebody throws a curveball like that at you, it just hits so hard.
"Something I said?"AJ said.
Jordan took Kevin's hand and squeezed it."Nothing we can't handle."
"Gotcha. Listen, can I borrow Jordan for a few?"AJ asked Kevin.
"I guess." Kevin looked at her confused.
She shrugged."I'll be in there in a few." Kissing his cheek as he joined the others before turning back to AJ."So what's up?"
"I've been kinda curious about something since last new year's eve Jordan."
"I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about." Attempting to avoid the unavoidable.
"I'm sure you do. And?" He raised his brows.
"And what? That was last year."
"Are you sure?"
"I'm positive. We're both past it."
"That's good to know cuz it looks like he's finally found the one."
"I know. She and I have become friends. I know she loves him to death. I hope she is the one."
"Me too. Shall we join them now?"
"I think that might be a good idea."
"What was all that about?" Kevin inquired as she sat down beside him.
"Just something he thought happened last year at our party that didn't."
" You're not gonna tell me are ya?"
"Maybe later?" Praying he would forget.
"You got it sweetness." Kissing her forehead.

The remainder of the evening would not remain uneventful as was said before. After enjoying a delightful meal, Brian herded them all into the living room for an important announcement."As you all know, Leigh Anne and I have only been seeing each for a very short time but in that time she has become an important part of my life. So much so that I don't think I could imagine it without her there,"he said as he got down on one knee. " So Leigh Anne Wallace, will you spend the rest of your life with me?" Producing the ring.
Tears of joy spilled from her eyes as she nodded her answer. Then she grabbed his face and kissed him.
Holding the ring up."Perhaps you might want this as well?" Brian teased.
"You goober."She smacked him lightly then let him put the ring on. "I love you too."
Jordan painted on a smile. Shit! If he did it with that locket, she could do it with this. Surely they had to be past all the petty stuff. Seemed like he only had eyes for Leigh Anne. Jordan was the first to get a good look at the ring as Leigh Anne came over to show it off.
Leigh Anne looked at Kevin."Did you have any idea he was gonna do this?"
"None. He didn't tell a one of us. Congratulations. I'll be back in a second Jo-Jo." Kissing her cheek before leaving the girls to get giddy.
She sat down next to Jordan." I can't believe he did this."
"It was a surprise."
"I had a feeling something was up. He'd been fidgety all day."
"I'm so happy for you Leigh. I really am. Now let me see that thing." She could feel Brian's eyes on her but she ignored it and admired the ring."Now it's my turn to gush. That is absolutely dazzling. He does know you doesn't he?"
She giggled."Yeah I guess he does."
"Congratulations Leigh. You guys are perfect for each other."
"Yes we are." Brian slid in beside her and wrapped his arm around her.
"I'm so happy for you two. So do you have an idea of when you want to get married?"
"Early fall,"they answered in unison.
"I guess you've discussed this."
"Yeah but I had no idea he was going to propose tonight. If you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go show this thing off." Leigh Anne excused herself and left them alone.
An awkward silence grew between them before Brian finally made the first attempt." So you're good with this?"
"What did you expect Brian? I'm not about to make a scene. Nothing for me to make one about. This is your night. You should be over the moon that I'm not."
"You're not happy then?"
"I didn't say that. I just want to be able to get back to a place where you and I aren't always tiptoeing around each other when we have a conversation. We are adults."
"With a history."
"Yeah. We do have one but you have Leigh Anne now and I have Kevin. Let's just leave it at that. I don't want you to lose her over my mistake."
"She is the best isn't she?"He got a big old silly grin on his face.
"She is the luckiest girl alive right now because she has you. Congratulations from the bottom of my heart." Now relay that to your brain.
Chapter 23 by Simple Sue
Jordan felt as though she were gonna pop any minute now and she still had another two months before she was even due.
Truth be told, she felt like a blob but Kevin assured her that she was more beautiful than ever. He didn't have to carry the weight around with him 24/7.
"Get out of here Kevin!" LeighAnne started pushing him toward their front door.
"Jeez! And Brian's marrying you why?"
"Hey!"Jordan scolded him from behind the couch where she was relaxing; feet propped up on the coffee table.
"I'm sorry. I'll miss you baby."
Her head tilted back and she looked up at him."I'll miss you too."
He leaned downed and pecked her on the lips." Why can't I put my feet on the table again?"
"Cuz your not carrying a eight pound bowling ball in your stomach?" She smiled sweetly.
"Good point."
"Hold on. There she goes again. She's kicking up a storm today." She pulled his hand down over her rounded belly.
"You're sure it's not he?"
"Mothers know these things honey."
"I hate to ruin this special moment but Kevin does need to get going,"Leigh Anne interrupted.
"Allright. I'm going already. Goodbye."Pecking Jordan once more before heading out the door.
"Finally."
"He wanted to stay so bad Leigh, "Jordan said.
"I know. You're lucky. Most men don't want to get so involved."
"Well you know what we've gone through to get here."
"It's absolutely amazing Jordan. I can't wait to have children."
"Good lord. There she goes again. You wanna feel?"
"You're sure?"
"Better you than some stranger off the street. I hate that. People you don't even know wantin to touch you."
"Well I think for men it's the one thing they know they'll never be able to have a part in other than planting the seed,"Leigh Anne joked as she sat down. She tentatively put her hands on Jordan's stomach.
"Wow! She's got Kevin's fight."
"Y' think?"
"Definitely."
It was nice to hear that because she was really starting to second guess as to who's child this really was. Leigh Anne would be so torn up if she knew what had gone on."Thank you. He thinks she's more like me."
"No. That's Kevin's kid and she's gonna be a Daddy's girl all the way."
Jordan laughed.
"Well since I rushed your husband out of here, I need to get to work."
"Are you sure there's nothing I can help with?"
"You stay put. This is your party. 'Sides didn't your doctor tell you to take it easy whenever possible."
"Doesn't mean I can't move at all."
"I know but I can handle this. Tim's wife, I always forget her name."
"Cheryl."
"She'll be here to help any minute."
"Along with Anne."
"You and Anne don't get along very well do you?"
"If it weren't for the fact that I was gonnna give her another grandchild, I'd be on the top of her shitlist permanently."
"Knock, knock!" Cheryl yelled from the front door.
"We're in the living room. Come on in." "Let the fun begin." She mouthed sarcastically to Leigh Anne.
"Ladies!" Leigh Anne greeted.
"So how's my future granddaughter doing today?"Anne said as she took the vacant place by Jordan on the couch.
"Kickin up a storm."Jordan painted a smile on her face. She wished she had a better relationship with her mother in law but she knew that would never happen. Jordan then gave her a puzzled look."How'd you?"
"Mother's instinct. You knew before they used all that fancy equipment on you didn't you?"
"Yes." She hated agreeing with her but she did know before they even ran the ultrasound.
"Anne. Could I borrow you for a minute?" Leigh Anne requested.
"Sure thing. Can I get you anything Jordan?" Anne said as she stood.
"I'm fine. Thank you though."
Cheryl sat down next Jordan as Anne left the room."I've been curious about something Jordan." She spoke in a hushed tone.
"Why are we talking so low?"Jordan returned.
"Because I saw what happened Christmas day."
"Oh."
"I know they're getting married but tell me you didn't do anything more than kiss him."
"Are you kidding me?! I'm married."
"But you kissed him."
"And that's all the further it went,"Jordan kept up the facade. If they ever knew.
"I hope so."
"I love my husband. Do you really think I would do anything to sabotage my marriage?"
"You could have."
"I know that and you know that but that's where it ended." Jordan managed to push herself up off the couch."Now if you'll excuse me, nature calls." Thank God little Katie Anne( Kevin's name for a girl which Jordan already knew it was) was pushing that button as well.




"Remind me why we don't get involved in those things again,"Kevin moped that afternoon at his cousin's home.
"Because we would be bored to tears dear brother of mine,"Tim said.
He looked at his brother."Need I remind you how long it's taken us to start a family?"
"No, but it's just-
"Tradition,"Brian saved Tim. He still pondered from time to time the possibility that this child could be his but he brushed it aside with the anticipation of his wedding.
"And we all know how traditional you are Bri,"Kevin said.
"What's that supposed to mean?"
"Nothing. I'm gonna go grab a beer. Anybody want another?" He said as he stood.
"I'll have one,"Tim requested.
"I'm good,"Brian said as he nursed the one he already had.
"Never mind him,"Tim said as he moved closer to Brian's chair."So Leigh's going to make an honest man of ya eh?"
"Yep."
"Does she know about Jordan?"
Brian nearly choked on the swig of beer he'd just taken."What in the Lord's name are you talking about?!"
"Christmas before last?"
"You saw that."
Tim nodded."You're lucky King Kong in there didn't."
"I know."
"Is that all that happened?"
"Seriously Tim, I may have screwed up with that kiss but that's as far as things went. She and Kevin had been fighting a lot with trying to start a family and when she came to me as a friend, I guess I just mistook her intentions."
"For your sake."He raised his brow knowingly.
Me too he prayed to God.
Tossing Tim his bottle, Kevin plopped down on the couch."Jordan would never let me do this at home." He propped his socked feet onto the coffee table as he took a swig of his beer.
"Neither will Leigh Anne. That's why I do it when she's not home."Brian chuckled as he joined his cousin." So you guys know what you're having?"
"We had the ultrasound but I think it's a boy, she thinks it's a girl."
"The women are usually right about these things. Mom seems to think it's a girl too,"Tim added.
"Can't argue with them there then I guess. So did I miss anything while I was gone?"
"Not a thing,"Brian said; wishing to God he didn't have to lie but knowing the reason he had to.
Chapter 24 by Simple Sue
So we're back to where we started. A little over eighteen hours and little Catherine Anne Richardson found her way into the world and right into her Daddy's heart. Kevin was overjoyed and she was just flat out exhausted.
When they took her to make sure she had all the vitals and clean her up, Kevin looked down at his Jo-Jo;beaming. Finally, they had a family. Not that he wouldn't have been happy with her alone but little Katie Anne(Jordan humored him on this one) they were complete.”How is it you still look so incredibly beautiful?”
She knew he was trying to make her feel better but she was tired ,sore and knew she looked a mess.”Don't lie to me. I can feel the hair sticking to my forehead.”
He leaned in closer, taking her hand and whispered,”I know and it's just as sexy as it was when we made love the first time.”
People say children tear you apart and this one did for awhile but the minute he knew they were going to have a baby, it was just the opposite. They became closer. She never thought she'd be so thankful for something so simple. Well it wasn't so simple but Kevin didn't need to know that he may not be the biological reason she was there. All that mattered was that she was. Brian never questioned it after Kevin's Birthday but she could always see it in the back of his mind every time they got together with he and Leigh Anne. And Leigh had been wonderful. She couldn't wait to have children with Brian but they still had to get married. And that was about three months down the road for them yet.”I love you.”
“I love you too Jo-Jo. I'm gonna go make a few calls okay?”
“You mean you didn't call everybody the minute we got here?” she teased.
“I wanted to be here through everything with you baby. We'd done it this far I figured I was in for the long haul.”
“You had the easy part,”she teased.
“None of this has been easy but I'm glad we made it.”
“Me too.”She kissed him softly.”Now go call your Mother. She'll be livid if you don't tell her she has a granddaughter.”
“Yes ma'am.”
She watched him as he walked away. She really couldn't imagine going through this with anybody else but him. The day she met him, she knew he would be the father of her children. Somehow, someway. The nurse rolled her into the room in the hospital bassinet.”Would you like to hold her now Mrs. Richardson?”
“I would love to.”
The nurse carried the tiny bundle wrapped up in white blankets.
Jordan cradled Catherine Anne in her arms. Her tiny little eyes blinked open and looked up into the big world surrounding her, but mostly just at Jordan. She had his jet black hair and her big blue eyes. Let's hope the eyes stayed that way but it was her nose that Jordan could see the difference. Not that anybody else but his mother might notice. She hadn't felt that mothering instinct kick in until those helpless little eyes looked up to her for answers. It seemed like Kevin had been gone forever when he came back into the room. She never knew how she could feel his eyes on her but she'd never seen such love in his eyes as she did at that moment.
“How are my girls doing?”He approached the bed. He was a Father now. It was finally real. All the hell they had to go through to get here.
Jordan bit her lip. She was going to break down any minute she thought. She never was very sentimental but now that she had a family it felt different.
“Jo?”
“You want to hold her?” She managed.
“You know I do but are you okay?”
“I will be. Here.”
“Are you sure?”
“Kev, please. She's your daughter too you know.” She smiled.
“I know but I'm worried about you.”
“It's that hormonal thing again. I'll be fine.”
He was holding off as long as he could. He did want to hold her but he was afraid to. He wasn't supposed to be afraid of anything.
“See how I'm holding her?” She could see he was scared.
He nodded.
“Just do it that way and she'll be fine. And so will you.”Looking him directly in the eye.
Kevin cautiously took the child into his arms and his heart swelled. This tiny little life he helped to create wriggled in her material wrapping and blinked her eyes a couple of times and stretched her mouth in a yawn as wide as she could before her eyes closed.
She didn't think she would be as emotional as she was when she watched him cradle their child in his arms for the first time. Then again, they'd been through a lifetime of struggle for just this one little girl. She prayed to God everyday that Brian wasn't the Father and never would question it again. The world was just them at that minute. It didn't occur that anybody would arrive so quickly. The gentle knock on the open door brought her out of her state.
“I heard somebody has a new addition to their family. We can come back though,”Brian said; Leigh Anne's hand firmly in his.
“It's okay. You can come in. Katie Anne and I are just a little tired.”
“Katie Anne?”
“Kevin's idea. Her full name is Catherine Anne.”
“It's a beautiful name,”Leigh Anne said.
Kevin didn't want to put her back in the rolling bed but the nurse had come back for her.”We're gonna take her back to the nursery for a few hours. She needs her rest. As does Mommy I'm sure.”
Kevin looked at the woman and conceded to her wish. His daughter already had him wrapped around her little finger.
“We'll go coo at her through the nursery window and let you get some rest. We just wanted to see the little miracle,”Leigh Anne offered.
“Sure thing. Congratulations you two,”Brian said as he was gently pulled out the door by his fiance. They were looking at her through the window and he was almost relieved that she looked more like Kevin than she did him. Although a part of him wished she was his. He didn't know why. Sure he wanted to be a Father one day but he also knew that it was wrong to want another man's child to be his own when the woman that gave him that chance was so obviously in love wit her husband. “Everything okay Bri?” Leigh Anne turned his eyes to hers.
“I'm fine. She's a beautiful little girl isn't she?”
“Yes she is and one day we'll make one just as beautiful.”
Chapter 25 by Simple Sue
Kevin played the proud pappa while Jordan got some rest early that morning. Mom and baby were both healthy. Kevin had even done the finger/toe count. It was cute. And to say it's cute on him, not something you want to tell him. He's too strong to think he's anything but virile now. And she wasn't about to take it away from him. He had a child. A child he never thought he would have after their last appointment with the fertility doctors. As far as little Katie Anne was concerned, she was the most beautiful thing. It's amazing how something so small and delicate turns a grown man into a puddle of mush. She saw it the minute their daughter looked up at him. She stole his heart. She had Jordan's heart as well. She finally gave her husband, the man she loved, the one thing he wanted more than anything in the world to have with her but at the same time a part of her knew the reality of their situation. So did his Mother. Anne had everybody clear the room, including her son so she could talk to her. Once the door was closed she looked at Jordan like she'd committed a major crime.
“I think you know what I'm about to say and you know I'm not one to mix words.”
“I know.” Great. Mamma Richardson had her daughter in law right where she wanted her and there was nothing she could do.
“You have a beautiful child there and Kevin adores her but I think you and I both know that's not his child.”
She'd been waiting for that one all afternoon. So yeah, it wasn't a big shocker at all when Anne approached it.” Just because she has a feature that runs in your family tree means she's not his.”
“I think you know what I'm talking about. I saw it that Christmas the two of you were still trying to give me grandchildren. I'm not as blind as my son. He loves you and would do anything for you but you don't want to know what I'll do if you break my boy's heart.”
“What makes you think he's blameless Anne? Just because he's your son doesn't make him perfect. Do you even know all the hell we went through to get here? If you knew your son half as well as you think you do, you wouldn't be threatening me.”
“I thought that mothering instinct had kicked in for you Jordan. I guess I was wrong.”
“Don't you dare! I love that child and would do anything to protect her but threatening people isn't going to help her.”
“Then lying to him isn't going to help her either.”
“So she has your brother's nose, it's not the end of the world.”
“It will be to him if he thinks it belongs to my nephew.”
“Say what you really want to because I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna like it.”
“You and Brian. I saw the way he looked at you. I heard the conversation you had when you and Kevin announced you were pregnant. You can deny it all you want but I know the truth.”
“This is why you and I never had a cordial relationship Anne because you've always thought I was doing your son wrong. So if you wanna see me cry today, it's not gonna happen.”
“I just want you to be honest with my boy. He deserves that much,”She said and left the room.
Cheryl passed Anne and sat down in the chair next to the bed.”Everything okay?”
“Had me a kleenex or three hundred will ya?” Jordan started blubbering.
“What did Anne do?”
“What she does best. Ruin every happy moment in our lives. More like just for me. Wouldn't want to blame her precious little boy for anything.”
“Well I can kind of understand her suspicion if it is what I think it is.”
“She practically accused me of sleeping with him.”
“But you told me you didn't.”
“I didn't,”Jordan lied as she blew her nose.”But she's had it out for me since the day Kevin brought me home to meet her.”
“Well I kind of got that treatment from her as well the first time but I learned to play her game. Instead of battling her, I was polite when we got together with her then went home and flung my pillow against a few walls. I married her son, not her.”Chery lowered her voice to a whisper. “And between you and me, I think she's a bitch on wheels too.”
Jordan laughed.”Thanks. I needed that. Even if you don't mean it.”
“I do though. Just take her with a grain of salt. You've got a beautiful little girl and everybody's in love with her. This day is about you and your child, well mostly your child, so be a proud parent and enjoy it. She can't take that from you.”
The nurse interrupted them.”I'm sorry to interrupt but we're going to try our first feeding.”
“I understand. Believe me,”Cheryl smiled and patted Jordan's arm; whispering.” It's all going to work out. You'll see. We'll come back and visit again tomorrow.”
“Thanks again Cheryl. I really did need that.”
“That's what family's for. Take care of yours,”she said and left them in the room. Jordan knew the truth but she had her husband back and she wasn't about to let this make the end of it.


Brian and Leigh Anne were about to head out that afternoon when Anne approached them.”Could I have a word with you Brian?”She said.
“Sure.”
“Alone.”
“Give us a minute Leigh?”
“Sure thing. I'll go coo at Katie Anne some more. Come get me when you're done.”
“You got it darlin'.”Giving her a sweet peck on the lips before she left them alone.
He turned to Anne.”I don't think I have to guess what this is about do I?”
“You're a smart boy Brian. There are only three of us that really know who's child that is but I'm going to let Jordan tell my son because I'm not going to be the one to break his heart.”
“Do you really know why it took them so long to have a child Anne? Did you ever stop and ask your perfect boy?”
“ I can't believe you're talking back to me like that.”
“I'm a grown man. Not a child anymore and I'll speak to you like an adult. Kevin was the reason they had trouble giving you a grandchild. His little swimmers couldn't make it upstream like they should. They tried everything under the sun to have that child. So if I had anything to do with it, he doesn't need to be any the wiser. I've never seen my cousin smile like that in his entire life.”He lowered his voice and continued.”And I'm not going to apologize for what happened between Jordan and myself. She's the one that called it off. She may not be the dream daughter in law you wanted for Kevin but she makes him happy. So if Katie Anne is mine, I don't want to know. I'm getting married in two months and am going to have a family of my own one day. Let it be.”
“Does your father know how you treat your elders?”
“I listen to my father and respect him but he does the same of me. He knows I'm a grown man. Maybe you should start treating Kevin like one.”And walked away. He knew all the possibilities when Jordan announced her pregnancy but he also knew what they'd gone through. All his cousin ever wanted was a family. Now he had one. If he needed a little assistance along the way, nobody need be the wiser.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9792