Port In A Storm by Jill and Sabrina by old_archive
Summary:

Originally found on: BSBAttorneys

Summary: The *original* BSB legal thriller. What have Kevin and Nick gotten themselves into this time, and how will they get out of it?


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group, Kevin, Nick
Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: Port In A Storm Trilogy
Chapters: 24 Completed: Yes Word count: 49687 Read: 31954 Published: 08/08/09 Updated: 08/08/09

1. Chapter 1 by old_archive

2. Chapter 2 by old_archive

3. Chapter 3 by old_archive

4. Chapter 4 by old_archive

5. Chapter 5 by old_archive

6. Chapter 6 by old_archive

7. Chapter 7 by old_archive

8. Chapter 8 by old_archive

9. Chapter 9 by old_archive

10. Chapter 10 by old_archive

11. Chapter 11 by old_archive

12. Chapter 12 by old_archive

13. Chapter 13 by old_archive

14. Chapter 14 by old_archive

15. Chapter 15 by old_archive

16. Chapter 16 by old_archive

17. Chapter 17 by old_archive

18. Chapter 18 by old_archive

19. Chapter 19 by old_archive

20. Chapter 20 by old_archive

21. Chapter 21 by old_archive

22. Chapter 22 by old_archive

23. Chapter 23 by old_archive

24. Chapter 24 by old_archive

Chapter 1 by old_archive

 

"Okay guys, that's it for today. You are all sounding good. See you tomorrow," the voice over the intercom said. The five men in the recording booth stepped away from the microphones, removed their headsets, and began joking and talking to each other.


"What the heck was that Nick? Your voice changing AGAIN?"


"Whatever. I just hit a bad note, it happens. It certainly happens to YOU often enough," returned Nick, running a hand through his blond hair.


The others laughed, and the one Nick had been addressing, a shorter man with a hat pulled low over his eyes and sunglasses just glared back.


"Hey, hey, no fighting. Or at least not in here, take it outside," said a third member of the group, the peacemaker.


"Ah relax, there's no fighting here D, we're just playin' with each other," smiled AJ, "Right Nick?"


"Yeah, sure we are."


The other two members of the Backstreet Boys, Kevin and Brian, were calmly watching the others unwind. The guys were just starting the recording of their next album, and it was hard work trying to get the five-part harmonies down just right. They had been in the studio for eight hours and had only gotten one song recorded, and it still wasn't finished.


A loud clap of thunder startled the group. "Ah man, I think I forgot to put my top back on this morning! Damn, gotta go check on my car!" and AJ raced out of the booth, with the others trailing behind him. Nick looked over at the others and asked, "Hey guys wanna go grab something to eat? I'm starving."


Two nodded, but the third shook his head, "Sorry Nick, I can't. Jamie flew in this afternoon, and she's waiting at the house for me."


"Gotcha. Are you two going to come out with us tonight, Kevin?"


"I don't know yet. Depends on how tired she is from the flight and all. We'll see. If not, she'll be here tomorrow."


"See ya later, then." The others walked off, and Kevin made his way to his car, trying to dodge the raindrops that were falling fast and heavy. Loud claps of thunder punctuated the bright flashes of light against the dark gray sky. Kevin got in and drove to the house as fast as he could.


Jamie lived in Cincinnati, where she worked as an attorney. She had just finished a big case against a Fortune 500 company, and spent long weeks trying to negotiate a settlement that would satisfy the company she represented. Finally having reached an agreement, the senior partner granted Jamie's wish to have a week's vacation before she started depositions for another client. With Kevin being on tour and Jamie in court, the two rarely saw each other, although they had been dating for almost a year. Kevin looked forward to being able to spend time with her.


The rain was falling harder now, and the thunder was more frequent as was the lightning, and Kevin wondered briefly if there was a hurricane coming he hadn't heard about. He pulled into his driveway, and got out of the car. Racing up the flagstone steps, he got into the house as quickly as he could. There were no lights on and as he shook himself like a wet puppy, he began searching for her.


"Jamie? Jamie, where are you? I'm here." The silence that greeted him worried him. Peeking into the kitchen, he discovered a plate that had some chips and salsa on it, so he knew someone had been there. "Jamie? Hon, it's me, where are you?"


Kevin heard a sound somewhat like a whimper which was coming from downstairs. Kevin walked down the flight, again wondering about the darkness that greeted him. "Jamie, what is going on? Where are you?" An extremely loud clap of thunder pealed, and the resulting flash of lightning that followed it revealed a small figure huddled in the corner of the rec room, near the foozball table. Kevin turned on the lights, and walked over to where his girlfriend was sitting, knees drawn up, arms wrapped around them, and her head buried.


"Hey Jamie, what's wrong? Are you okay?"


Jamie looked up and saw Kevin crouching in front of her looking very concerned. She let go of her knees, and flung herself at him, crying. "Oh God, I am so glad you are here, Kevin." Another thunderclap, and she flinched and buried her face in his neck.


Kevin pulled away and cupped her chin, looking into her gold-flecked light brown eyes, which were full of fear. "What happened, are you okay?"


"Yeah, but I'm scared."


"I can see that, want to tell me why?"


"I'm. . .I'm. . ." she took a deep breath, "I'm afraid of thunderstorms."


Kevin looked astonished, then said, "You're afraid of thunder and lightning? Really, you the tough litigator?"


"Yes, me. It's not funny, Kevin," another flinch as the thunder sounded, "I've always been afraid."


"I'm sorry, sweetheart. Come here," Kevin pulled her close, sat down on the couch nearby and began stroking her hair. "Shhh, darling, it's okay, shhh, I'm right here, I won't let anything happen to you, shhh, there's my girl, it's okay baby, relax, you're safe sweetheart, you're fine, ah Jamie you're going to be alright." Kevin kept repeating over and over, slowly rocking her, stroking her dark red hair, and dropping kisses on the top of her head.


Jamie looked up after a time, and Kevin bent his head and kissed her deeply. Jamie tightened her grip around his neck, while Kevin slanted his mouth over hers and began nipping at her lower lip. She giggled and looked up into his clear green eyes, which were full of concern and desire, a strange mix which made her breathless. "Hey that tickles."


"You want to be tickled? I can do that," Kevin reached down to her side and began to tickle her. She squirmed, laughed and came into contact with his solid chest.


"Hey, you're all wet."


"Umhmmm, and I plan on makin' sure you are too," drawled Kevin.


"What? Oh, I meant your clothes are wet. And trust me darlin', I'm getting there," smiled Jamie.


"Well, we should do something about that then." He pushed her onto the cushions, and began to undo the buttons of the shirt which was plastered to his body. He removed his shirt with a slight struggle, looked down at her, smiled, and said "is this better, darlin'?"


She reached up for him, pulled him down so that he was lying full on top of her, and said, "Now it is."


Ignoring the thunder, she concentrated on kissing him, and Kevin reached between them to slide his hands under her shirt, and began caressing her back, trying to undo the snaps on her bra. Kevin sat up, pulled Jamie up with him, and slid her shirt over her head. Jamie shook her head once to get the hair out of her face, and Kevin stopped playing with her bra long enough to smooth back a tendril that got caught in her eyelashes. He slowly traced down the side of her face, down her neck, and between her breasts. Jamie shivered once, looked up at him, her eyes darkening, and slowly leaned forward. She kissed him, and reached behind her to undo her bra. Kevin started to laugh, but as she kept kissing him, he forgot about everything except the beautiful woman on his lap. He pushed her back from him, and slid the straps of her bra down her arms, then tossed the champagne colored lace and satin to the floor to join the other clothes.


Thunder again rang out, and Jamie flinched, but she didn't know for sure if it was from the thunder or from Kevin's mouth which was now attached to her right breast. She arched her back, and moaned softly as he traced wet circles with his tongue, first clockwise, then back along the path he made. She could feel him smile, then he repeated the pattern on her other breast. Jamie whimpered again, but not from fear.


Kevin raised his head, looked into her eyes, quirked one corner of his mouth in that oh-so-sexy half smile she adored, kissed her hard but briefly, then laid her down on the couch. He touched his lips to hers again, and at the same time, ran his hands down her sides to the waistband of her khakis. He slid one finger under the waistband and moved it back and forth. Jamie sucked in her stomach, giggled, and tried to move away from the tickling sensation. Kevin held her tight, and continued to play with her stomach, feeling those muscles contract as his finger moved over them.


The movement of his fingers was driving her crazy, and she shifted her hips in order to get Kevin to stop. Her hip caught him at his arousal, and he sucked in his breath. His fingers stopped moving, and she looked up at him. Then before he could move again, she gave a smirk of her own, undid the fly of his jeans, and slipped her hand inside. Finding the top of his boxers, Jamie imitated him by placing her fingers inside the waistband. Kevin did not move, but looked down at her.


"Now I think I have you where I want you," she said.


"Maybe," he agreed, "but I'm not where I want to be. And I certainly don't have you where I want you."


"Oh really? And where would that be, exactly?"


Kevin's answer was to sit up, remove her khakis and panties, then toss his jeans and boxers on the floor. He laid back down on top of her, and quickly thrust into her. Over her gasp, he said, "Now I have you where I want you. But do you want me?"


Jamie nodded, but Kevin wanted to hear her say it. "Yes, oh God, Kevin, I want you. Please. . ." She trailed off as Kevin began moving inside her. His rhythm was slow and deep, then quick and shallow. Jamie followed him, arching her back, and meeting him every time, stroke for stroke.


She thought she would explode into little pieces by the time she felt her muscles clench, then release as she climaxed. She called his name, and Kevin held onto her as she came, gave a few more thrusts of his own, then followed her into oblivion.


But oblivion didn't last very long. Still inside her, Kevin pulled her up so that he was sitting up and she was straddling him. She wrapped her arms around his neck, leaned back as far as she could, then lifted her hips. His intake of breath was all the indication she needed that he liked what she was doing. She sank back down onto his lap and stopped.


"Baby, you need to be moving right about now, not just sitting there," said Kevin.


"Oh, don't you worry, I'll move in a second, I just need to rest a bit first."


"You want to kill me don't you?"


"Of course not. How else would I get laid?"


Kevin grimaced and said between tightly clenched teeth, "Jamie, I need you to move."


"Oh you do, huh?"


"Jamie," he said pleadingly. She leaned forward, kissed him ever so sweetly, then leaned back, and started a slow movement up and down. He placed his hands on her hips, trying to get her to move faster, but she wouldn't have any of it.


"God, you are trying to kill me."


Jamie laughed, but did not increase her pace. He groaned again, resigning himself to a slow and torturous, albeit amazingly wonderful, death. When he couldn't take it anymore, she ground against him quickly. This time, he yelled her name as he stiffened then came inside her. She found her release, then sank against his body, slick with sweat.


When he could move again, he laid back down on the couch. Kevin turned so that Jamie rested on him, with her head tucked into his shoulder. Her hand came up to trace patterns on his chest, and she lay there quietly with a large grin on her face.


"Ah sweetheart, I have missed you."


"Umhmmm."


"Although you could have been nicer to me. After all, dying men should have their last request fulfilled."


Muffled laughter echoed against his shoulder. He gave her a little smack on her shoulder. They laid there together silently, for a while, listening to the rain fall gently against the windows, his hand running idly up and down her back.


"You know, I think the storm's over," said Kevin.


"Umhmmm."


"You okay now? Why didn't you ever tell me you were scared?"


Jamie looked up at him. "I figured you'd laugh at me. I mean, here I am, a grown-up with a child's fear."


"It's okay to be afraid. Although, do you have any other fears I should know about?"


"I don't like alligators or snakes."


"Okay, so we won't visit the zoo while you're here." She playfully punched him on the arm. "But you should know that thunderstorms are practically a daily occurrence in Florida, so this isn't going to be the only one."


"Oh," Jamie said in a small voice. Then she smiled, "Yes but I like the way you distracted me. I don't think I really noticed the storm at all."


Kevin grinned, "Just trying to help you get over your fears."


Jamie grinned back, "Oh, I think you helped a lot. In fact, I can't wait for tomorrow's storm!"

Chapter 2 by old_archive


"How's the recording coming?" asked Jamie in between bites of her cheese and chicken quesadilla. They had gotten take-out from a new little Mexican restaurant near Kevin's house, and were now eating dinner and catching up with each other. The two of them hadn't really been together for about a month, and they had a lot to talk about.


"Slowly. We still need a couple of songs before there's even enough for a full CD. And Brian is never happy with the arrangements, he must have changed the one we did today at least twenty times. He's kinda driving the rest of us crazy with this."


Jamie started to laugh, "Come on Kevin, you should understand what he's doing. I distinctly remember AJ and Nick complaining about your criticisms of them singing Back to Your Heart."


"But I wrote that! I know how it's supposed to sound and they wouldn't listen to me," protested Kevin. She rolled her eyes, and he grinned. "Okay, so I can be a little bit uptight about things like that. . ."


"A little!" she snorted. A crumpled napkin came flying over the table at her. "You could try the patience of a saint with your insistence on everything being perfect."


"Maybe, but I don't work with saints," he laughed. "Actually, I am working on being a bit more relaxed about the whole process, but it's hard."


"I can imagine. So what else have you been doing?"


"Radio interviews, signings, that sorta stuff. You actually picked a good week to come down, because we don't have anything like that to do this week."


"Good, but I still have to share you with the others, right?"


"Yeah, I still have to show up and sing."


"All right," she said grudgingly, but added a wink. "So how were the promotions?"


"I need a restraining order, Jamie," Kevin said with a slight smile.


"Oh really, what now?" she sighed.


"Nothing much, just the usual. There was one girl who was a little weird with me and Nick, but the others had their share of 'stalkers' too."


"A restraining order, huh?" She shook her head, "You do know I'm more of a contracts attorney than a criminal attorney, right?"


"Yeah, but can't you do those kind of things?" he asked with a smile. This was a running joke between the two of them, and Kevin always pretended ignorance about what it was she did.


"Is this the only reason you want me around? Is that all I am to you, your attorney?"


"Well, if I say the wrong thing, than that's all you'll be to me, right?"


"Damn straight, darlin'."


"Then I love you for being you. Your being an attorney is just an added bonus for me," he smiled. He reached over, rubbed a bit of sour cream off of her cheek with his thumb, let her lick it off his thumb, kissed her, then sat back.


"Right answer. I love you too."


"All right, enough about my ordinary, boring life," said Kevin, "Are you glad your negotiations are over?"


"Oh yes, I am. They were a bit difficult. The other side refused to admit they were responsible for anything, so they were all set to go to trial."


"What did you settle for?"


She shook a finger at him, "You know I can't talk to you about that. All I can say is that my clients were happy with the final offer, and the other side, while not exactly ecstatic, will honor the agreement."


"Congratulations, Jaim. I know how hard you worked for it. So what now?"


"Well, I'm doing a bit of pre-trial for a trademark infringement case. I need to do a little research before depositions start in two weeks so I sound somewhat competent."


"Whatever, you're a great attorney. I'm sure you'll be just fine."


"Thanks, but you have to say that because you're my boyfriend."


"No I don't. I would never say it just to say it." He was silent for a bit, then he said, "Hey, wait a minute, does that mean you're only saying I'm a good musician? You really don' t like BSB? You only say all this because we're together?"


She laughed. "I think the others are quite talented. But you, on the other hand. . ." Another napkin came flying at her. "Okay, okay, I'm kidding."


"Uh huh, and?"


"I'm not just saying it. I really do think you all are fantastic, and I for one can't wait to hear the new CD."


Kevin got up and began clearing the dishes from the table. "Well, you'll get to hear about 20 seconds worth of it tomorrow. If we ever finish this song, it'll be a small miracle."


Jamie picked up the glasses and followed him into the kitchen. "You'll get it, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Which song is it?"


"We don't really have a title for it either. I told you this is going slowly. We've just referred to it as The Song from Hell."


Jamie laughed. "Changing the squeaky-clean image are we?"


"What? Oh, no, it's just what we've been calling it. Although a change wouldn't necessarily be such a bad thing," he said, a little wistfully.


Jamie stopped loading dishes into the dishwasher, and stood up straight to stare at him, "What do you mean? What's wrong with your image?"


"It's just that sometimes we get tired of being a 'boy band'. Do you know how hard it is for us to be taken seriously sometimes? As if we're not good enough to be 'real' artists, even though we are all talented singers and musicians. Sometimes we think change might be a good idea."


"I had no idea you were this frustrated, Kev."


He sighed, and ran a hand through his thick black hair. "It's not always frustration. I love being in Backstreet. We're not trying to become something completely different and change fan bases or anything. I mean, if it wasn't for our fans, we wouldn't be who and what we are. I wouldn't have been to the places I have, and done the things I've done. I'm not saying any of us want things to have been different, because we don't. This is our dream, and none of us would change any of it. But every once in a while we would actually like to be given credit for what we do. It's not easy, that's all."


Jamie walked over to stand in front of him, and wrapped her arms around his waist. Kevin's arms came up around her, and she held him tight for several minutes. Neither said anything, they just held each other. Finally, Jamie stepped back, took him by the hand, and led him to the living room. They sat down on the couch, and Jamie turned on the television.


"I'm sorry Jamie, I didn't mean to be depressing."


"No, it's not that at all. You have a right to those feelings, all five of you do. I just don't want you to do something you'll probably regret later on."


"We're not. Like I said, we like doing the pop and R&B, and we're not going to change it for people who wouldn't appreciate us no matter what we did."


"That's true enough."


"But we do want to get a little more exposure, and crossover to adult contemporary. We already have a little, and we just want to keep going that way."


"Good, I was afraid you were going to tell me you were going to become like Korn or Limp Bizkit or something."


Kevin laughed. "No, somehow, I just don't see us becoming that hard-core. Ever. Although with AJ, you never know. . ." Jamie started laughing too, and stretched up to kiss him on the cheek.


"True enough. He constantly surprises me. So what color is his hair now?"


"Well today it was blue and green, but it is a day to day thing with him." Jamie laughed, and Kevin grabbed the remote from her hand. Flipping channels, he found a Lightning-Red Wings hockey game, and they spent the rest of the evening curled up on the couch watching the game.


After the game, Kevin led Jamie upstairs to the bedroom, and they got ready for bed. Lying in the dark with her head on Kevin's chest, Jamie leaned in, kissed him and whispered, "I want you to know something."


"What's that, baby?"


"I happen to love your squeaky-clean image, and I wouldn't want you any other way."


He kissed her back. "All right, I'll see what I can do to keep it."


Kevin would have no idea how hard it was going to be for him to do so.

Chapter 3 by old_archive


Kevin and Jamie were sitting at the kitchen table the next morning when the phone rang.


"Doesn’t everyone know its rude to call before 9 a.m.," Jamie said jokingly.


"Its probably one of the guys wanting a ride to the studio or something. . ." Kevin said picking up the phone.


"Hey. . .Uh, yes, this is Mr. Richardson. . .Ummm, yes, I guess I remember that. . . WHAT? You can’t be serious. . .Well, um, I guess I can be there. Four o’clock? And where is that?" Kevin hesitated, grabbing the note pad by the phone. "Yeah, I’ll be there. Thanks."


Kevin’s face went pale as he hung up the phone.


"What was that all about?" Jamie asked, concerned at Kevin’s reaction.


"Umm, well. . ." He stammered as he sat back down at the table. "Remember me saying I needed a restraining order?"


"Yes, why?"


"Well it seems that some chick told the police that Nick and I sexually harassed her at some promotional thing a couple weeks ago."


"You’re kidding right? This is a joke one of the guys is playing." Jamie paused, hoping she was right.


"It didn’t sound like a joke to me. That was a Detective Corin with the Orlando PD and he wants me to come down to the police station this afternoon to talk to him." Kevin was slowly regaining his color but he was obviously very upset. "He said that she hasn’t filed any charges against us but she filled out a report and so they are doing a routine preliminary investigation."


"Well at least she hasn’t filed charges yet. That’s a good sign. Do you remember this girl?" Jamie said with a bit more judgmental tone that she meant.


"I don’t know. He said her name was Molly Coughlin and it was at a record signing like two weeks ago here in Orlando." Kevin was searching his memory for the event but it eluded him.


"You don’t know, you don’t remember? What's going on, Kevin? Did something happen or not?"


"Damnit Jamie, you know I would never do anything like this. How could you even think that?" snapped Kevin.


Jamie sank against the back of her chair, "I’m sorry. I just don’t understand what’s going on here. If it is only a preliminary investigation then I don’t think its a big deal, but this could get ugly."


"I know this can get very ugly, especially if the press gets a hold of this." Kevin looked worried, "Something like this could really hurt our image, regardless of whether it is true or not."


"I thought you wanted an image change?"


"Jamie!"


She held up her hands, "Sorry. That was a very poor attempt at a joke. I didn't mean anything by it. Look, why don’t I go with you this afternoon. I may not be able to represent you since I am not licensed in Florida, but maybe I can help you figure out what's going on."


"Thanks, baby. That would be great. I need all the support I can get right now." He leaned over and kissed her on the forehead just as the phone rang again.


"Yeah. . ." He answered. "I know, he called here already. . .Uh huh, yeah, I know. Jamie is going to come with us. No, I don’t think we need to tell the guys anything. . .Hopefully this will all just blow over. Okay Nick, yeah, I’ll see you at the studio." Kevin hung up the phone. "Well obviously that was Nick, Detective Corin called him too."


"What did he say? Did he sound okay?" Jamie was sincerely concerned for her 'little brother,' as she thought of Nick.


"He’s a little wired about it, but I don’t think he’s going nuts or anything. Come on Jamie, let's go get ready, I need to get the studio."


They ran upstairs and quickly showered and changed. Neither spoke on the way to the studio but the constant glances they exchanged let each other know about the worry that filled them.





The recording session wasn’t going well at all.


"Nick, can you try that last tag line one more time. . ." Brian asked Nick with a hint of sarcasm. "Like, maybe sing it on key or something?"


"Just lay off Brian." Nick snapped back.


"Aww, is Nicky not in a good mood this morning?" AJ taunted.


"Come on guys," Kevin cut in, "AJ, cut Nick a break. Let’s just try it again."


"Now I have heard it all." Brian quipped. "Kevin sticking up for Nick. What is with you guys this morning?"


In unison Kevin and Nick said, "Nothing."


The guys settled down and tried to focus on recording the yet-to-be-named Song From Hell.


Jamie watched from the control booth as the guys snapped back and forth. She knew that this was hard on both Kevin and Nick, perhaps Nick even more because of his age. But she saw the fear in Kevin’s eyes and she wondered if that fear stemmed from something she didn’t know about.





The recording session ended about 3:30 and Kevin, Nick and Jamie left quickly in Kevin’s car, before the others could say or do anything. They rode in silence for a while.


"Jamie, can I ask you something?" Nick asked.


"Sure, Nick. . . what?"


"Um, what exactly is sexual harassment? I mean I guess I know what it is, but like, what do the cops think it is?"


"Well, Nick," she began. "That’s a good question. I suppose technically that sexual harassment is any action of a sexual nature, directed at another person, that makes the other person uncomfortable."


"Oh."


Kevin carefully looked back at Nick but said nothing. In fact, no one said anything else until they got to the court house.





"The detective said his office was on the third floor." Kevin said, punching the button for the elevator.


Kevin and Nick both twitched their hands nervously and seemed very edgy. Jamie appeared very calm and quiet, but actually her mind was wandering, only imagining the worst.


The three of them walked into the office and Kevin told the receptionist they were there to see Detective Corin.


"Just have a seat and I’ll let him know that you are here," she replied.


A tall light-haired man in his late thirties walked down the hall toward the reception area and looked toward the bench where they were sitting.


"Mr. Richardson, Mr. Carter?" He said looking at the three of them.


"Yes, that’s us." Kevin said as he stood up.


"I’m Detective Corin, thanks for coming down. Why don’t you all follow me, we’ll go back to my office."


Nick and Jamie followed Kevin and the detective down the hall to a small corner office.


Detective Corin sat down behind his desk as Kevin, Nick and Jamie each took a seat in front of it.


Looking at Jamie, Detective Corin asked, "I’m sorry, and you are?"


"I am Jamie Saxon, a friend of both of these gentlemen," Jamie replied coolly.


"Well, Ms. Saxon I am sure that they appreciate your support, but perhaps it would be better if you waited outside while we discuss this in private," he replied just as coolly.


"Well I think. . ." she began when Kevin cut her off.


"Actually, Ms. Saxon is our attorney as well, so, I think she needs to hear what's going on here," Kevin said, trying to soothe a bit of tension between Jamie and the detective.


"Very well then, that’s up to you two," he said looking from Kevin to Nick who just sat there kind of in a daze. When he didn’t see any objection from Nick he went on.


"Well, just a little background to start. We have a report by a Miss Molly Coughlin which was filed last week." The detective was reading from a slim file folder laying on his desk. "Do either of you recognize her name?" When both shook their heads no, Detective Corin continued.


"I understand that you two are quite the celebrities? The Backstreet Boys, correct? Well, it appears as though Miss Coughlin met you two at some sort of promotional event? Do you remember this event?"


"Which one was it again?" Kevin asked, "we do so many."


"Well, Miss Coughlin stated that it was at a local Tower Records store, some record signing or something. And that was almost two weeks ago. . . two weeks ago tomorrow."


"Okay, I remember doing the promotion, but nothing in particular is sticking out in my mind," Kevin stated.


"What about you Mr. Carter, do you recall anything strange at this event?" Corin turned to Nick, who paled a little under Corin's gaze.


"Um, well, not really. . . just maybe, um. . . Well, Kevin, do you remember that girl that was in the hallway when we went to the restroom?"


Kevin thought for a second. "Wait. . . yeah, I do. She was kind of strange. Could this be her?"


"What exactly do you remember, Mr. Carter?" The detective asked.


"Um, not much really, I just remember her being in the hallway when were coming out of the restroom. She said something to us, I don’t really remember what, except I remember thinking she was strange, and then we went back out to the table."


"Yeah," Kevin chimed in, "I remember a little now, she just kind of looked at us funny when we came out, then she tried to stop us to talk. We had to get back so we just kind of left her there. We weren’t mean or anything, just kind of left her standing there."


"Well that only slightly coincides with Miss Coughlin’s side of the story," the detective finished writing some notes and then spoke again. "She claims that you two stopped her in the hallway outside of the restrooms and you both propositioned her, explicitly, so to speak." Jamie gasped, then regained control of herself.


"NO. . . nothing like that happened, I know that." Nick spoke up. Kevin just shook his head in disbelief. "She talked to us first, not the other way around."


"Well, Mr. Carter, this is really just a preliminary investigation. We are just trying to figure out if something happened that is worth investigating further."


"I don’t know what the hell she is thinking, but she sounds like a psycho to me." Nick said laughing suddenly.


Jamie shot Nick a look that said 'Shut Up.' Nick stopped laughing, and apologized quietly.


"Mr. Corin, if I may ask," Jamie looked up at him and seeing no objection, "is this really going anywhere? You have a report, but no charges. And this 'preliminary investigation' as you call it, what exactly are you trying to do here?"


"Well, Miss, um, Saxon was it? When Miss Coughlin came to file her report, we realized that the allegations involved these two with some celebrity status and we convinced her to refrain from filing charges until we could do a little investigating ourselves." Jamie said nothing, realizing that the detective was probably doing them a favor.


"We aren’t thoroughly convinced of Miss Coughlin’s allegations but of course we can’t dismiss them out of hand either. From here it will be up to Miss Coughlin and the district attorney as to whether charges will be filed. I will talk with both of them about this meeting and then it is up to them."


Nick and Kevin looked at each other and then to Jamie who tried to give them a consoling look like everything would be okay.


"I really do appreciate you all coming down today, your cooperation will of course be noted in my report." With that everyone said their good-byes and Jamie, Kevin and Nick walked solemnly back to the car.


No one spoke on the ride home. Kevin and Jamie dropped Nick off at the studio to pick up his car.


"Nick. . ." Jamie said as he got out of the car. "Are you okay sweetie?"


He went to the passenger side window, "Yeah, I guess I’m okay. Just kind of confused and scared I guess. What do you think is going to happen?"


"Well, hopefully nothing. We just need to wait and see what they do next." She reached out to take his hands in hers attempting to comfort him.


"Thanks for being there today, Jamie. I’ll see you guys tomorrow right?"


"Yes Nick, we'll see you tomorrow. Try to relax tonight if you can, okay?" Jamie patted his hands and gave him a smile. Nick gave a weak smile in return. "Sure, Jaim. I'll try."


Kevin spoke up, "Nick? I don't want to worry the others. At least not yet. Don't say anything until we know more, okay?" Nick nodded, squeezed Jamie's hands once before releasing them, and went over to his car to drive home.


Jamie turned to look back at Kevin. "Are you sure you don't want to say anything to the guys? What if Detective Corin calls them? They may need to be prepared for this, you know."


"No," Kevin said firmly, looking out the windshield. "Not yet. They won't be called because they don't know anymore than what we've already said to the detective."


"But Kevin. . ."


"Jamie, I said no." Kevin turned to face her. Seeing the look of surprise on her face, he relented. "Look, I just want this to go away, I don't want to think about this. Just give me and Nick a couple of days, okay?" He touched her cheek gently, and she leaned into his hand.


"I'm not sure this is a good idea, Kev."


"Please, Jamie. For me. And Nick. We'll be fine, there's no need to worry the guys."


"This goes against my better judgment, you know."


"I know, but you'll see. By the time you leave, this will all be over." He smiled, but Jamie saw that it didn't reach his eyes, which still looked haunted. She nodded in agreement, and hoped they were doing the right thing.


Chapter 4 by old_archive


The rest of the week passed in a blur. They tried to record, but Kevin and Nick were so tense and nervous, it was obvious that nothing productive was going to happen. Brian tried approaching his cousin once, to try and figure out what was going on. Kevin's answer was evasive and noncommittal, and Brian was left more confused than he had been before trying to talk to Kevin. Howie tried the same with Nick, but also got nowhere. AJ approached Jamie, and although it seemed to him that she wanted to say something, she too revealed nothing.


The day before Jamie was due to leave, Kevin decided that he would try to get things on a more even keel. The previous days had been nervewracking. The three of them hadn't heard anything more from the detective. Kevin and Nick both hoped this had all been a mistake, and that nothing more would come of it. Kevin and Jamie couldn't relax enough to enjoy their time together. The investigation hung over their heads like a guillotine blade, and all three of them were waiting for it to fall.


After the recording session, Kevin pulled Nick over to one side.


"Hey, Jamie is leaving tomorrow," Kevin began, "so I thought we could get the guys together and go to breakfast before we take her to the airport, okay?"


Nick nodded, "Yeah, that sounds cool. How about I call the guys tonight and have them meet us at Oy’s at 8 – when is her flight?"


"Not until 10:30, so that'll be fine. I think we all need some normal stuff going on right about now." Kevin visibly relaxed, and Nick clapped a hand onto his shoulder. "You all right, Train?"


"Yeah, at least I think I will be," he sighed. "This whole thing just needs to be over. I wish Jamie could stay a little bit longer though. This hasn't exactly been easy on her."


"It hasn't been easy on any of us. Maybe we can convince the others to take a break for a couple of weeks, and you can go up to Cincinnati and get away from everything."


"That might be a good idea."


"Of course it is, it's one of my ideas," Nick said with false bravado. Kevin rolled his eyes, then snorted. "Go home Kaos, will ya?"


"Much better. Go home yourself and concentrate on your lady tonight," said Nick. Kevin walked away still shaking his head. Nick watched Kevin turn the corner, and the smile faded from Nick's face. He leaned up against the wall. He wished there was someone who could take his mind off of this whole mess, instead going home to an empty, lonely house where all he could do was endlessly worry and think about what was happening. Even his beloved Nintendo or his dogs weren't helping take his mind off of things. Nick sighed, eased away from the wall slowly, then followed Kevin out to the parking lot.


Jamie and Kevin spent the night alone, but both were distracted. Jamie felt guilty for leaving with all that was happening, but she knew there wasn’t too much she could do right now. Nick got the others to agree to meet for breakfast and to see Jamie off. The three of them fell asleep that night full of tension and fear about what might happen next.





At breakfast Nick, Kevin and Jamie put on the best act that they could. The other guys sensed that something was wrong but they still had no idea what. Sitting across the table from him, Brian saw something in Nick’s eyes he didn't recognize. Brian thought he would try once more to find out what was going on.


As everyone was walking into the airport, Brian pulled Nick aside.


"Hey little buddy. . . you okay this morning?"


"Yeah, Rok, I’m fine. Just tired I guess."


"Yeah right, come on Frack, I see it. . . I know there’s something bugging you, it's been bugging you all week, what is it?" Brian said, looking hurt. "You know you can talk to me."


"Come on Rok, just leave me alone, okay? I’m just kinda out of it. Just leave it be." With that, Nick walked back up to the others, walking beside Jamie and Kevin with his head down.


Brian sighed and caught up to AJ and Howie who were talking amongst themselves.


Jamie got her boarding pass and her bags were checked with plenty of time to spare, so they all walked down to the gate. The flight was about half full, and the six of them waited by the gate for Jamie's flight to be called without too much hassle.


Finally, the flight attendant announced boarding would start. Jamie stood up, and smiled at all of them. "Well, I guess that's me. I'm going to miss you guys."


The others stood as well, and Kevin gave her a huge hug. "I love you, Jaim."


"I love you too, hon." She closed her eyes as the hug tightened. She pulled her head back to look at him and whispered, "Are you going to be all right?"


Kevin nodded, and she said, "Call me the minute anything happens, Kevin. I'm going to go crazy until I hear from you."


Kevin nodded again, held her for a minute, then released her. Jamie turned to Brian, "Cuz."


Brian smiled, "Bye cuz." They hugged, and she whispered in Brian's ear, "Keep an eye on Kevin for me, will you? Make sure he's okay."


"I will," Brian promised, and kissed her on the cheek. AJ and Howie came up for their goodbyes, and Jamie turned finally to Nick, who stood there with a troubled look.


"Nicky, it's okay." She hugged him fiercely, and said quietly, "It's going to be okay, little brother, I promise. Like I asked Kevin, call me when you know anything, and watch out for each other."


Nick promised, and she ruffled his hair. Nick gave a weak smile, then gave her a little push. "Go on, get outta here."


"All right, I better go before things get really mushy." She turned to Kevin once again, gave him another hug, kissed him, then picked up her bag and walked over to the boarding station. As she entered the gangway leading to the plane, she turned to wave goodbye one last time. The guys all were looking at her, so she was the only one who saw several police officers over at the ticket counter. The ticket agent pointed in the direction of the boys and the policemen turned and walked toward them.


"Excuse me, Kevin Richardson?" One of the policemen stopped in front of Kevin. Kevin’s eyes got very wide as he nodded.


Another policemen stood beside Nick, "Nickolas Carter?" He nodded as well.


"Mr. Richardson, Mr. Carter, we have warrants for your arrest."


AJ, Howie and Brian stood there in total shock.


Jamie raced out of the gangway back over to the group as the officers were about to cuff Kevin and Nick. "Wait, what are you doing? What are the charges?"


"Both are charged with Assault, miss. Please, step away and let us do this."


"Okay, listen, I am one of their attorneys – can you just walk them out without cuffs, you know these guys are well-known and we would really appreciate not making a scene. Please." Jamie sincerely pleaded.


"Yeah, I guess that would be okay as long as they don’t make any trouble."


Kevin and Nick both were on the verge of tears and the policeman was convinced they would not cause a problem. The handcuffs were put away, and Jamie sighed with relief.


Jamie looked up at Kevin and Nick, "Don’t worry, okay, I am going to find out what the hell is going on here. I will meet you guys at the police station. Just hang on, okay?" She was fighting back tears of her own, but she didn’t let them see that.


Kevin and Nick just lowered their heads as the police escorted them out of the airport. Jamie could hear the officers quietly reading them their rights as they left.


After the police had gone, AJ, Howie and Brian just stared at Jamie. "Come on guys, I’ll explain what I know on the way to the police station."


As they walked out of the airport, Jamie thought she heard a noise that sounded a lot like the whistle of a falling guillotine blade.


Chapter 5 by old_archive


On the way to the parking lot, Jamie quickly explained what little she knew about Kevin and Nick’s situation. The guys were stunned to say the least. While they all remembered the promotion, none of them remembered the girl or anything happening that would lead to Kevin and Nick being arrested. Jamie was comforted by that thought, but at the same time still frustrated.


"AJ, can you and Howie take Nick’s truck and follow us to the police station?" Jamie asked. "Oh, and call Denise and have her and someone from The Firm meet us there. Management is going to need to run some serious damage control. The less this makes the 6:00 news, the better it will be for all of us."


"Sure, Jamie, I’m on it," AJ said, shaking himself out of his shock, pulling out his cellular and hitting the speed dial to call his mom.


Looking at a very distraught Brian, Jamie touched him on the upper arm and asked gently, "Hey Rok, come with me in Kevin’s truck, and keep me company, okay?"


"Yeah, whatever." A million thoughts were running through Brian's mind. He wasn’t sure whether he was upset, mad, scared or all the above. His cousin and his best friend had just been arrested. This had to be a bad dream, didn’t it? And on top of that, neither had told him anything, they had kept it to themselves. Brian couldn't believe that they felt they couldn't trust him with this.


"Jaim, have you known about this all along?" asked Brian softly. Jamie stopped walking, forcing him to do the same. She turned to face him and equally as softly said, "Yes, I was there when the detectives called Kevin and Nick, and I went with them to the station."


"Why didn't you say anything to us? To me? I'm Kevin's family!"


"I know you are, and I wanted to tell you, really I did. Kev asked me not to say anything because he was sure that nothing would happen, and that he would not be arrested. He didn't want to worry all of you."


"Yeah? Well, I'm worried now!"


"I'm sorry, Brian. You know how Kevin is, he thought he could take care of this by himself. He wanted to protect Nick from all of this, and you as well, and he thought the best way to do that was not to say anything."


"He thought wrong." Jamie went to hug Brian, but he stepped back away from her. Hurt, Jamie said, "I'm sorry Brian, I would have told you if I could have. Please don't be mad at me, or them. They both need you right now, more than any of us can imagine. Can you forgive us, Brian, please?"


He looked at her, and said, "Right now, I honestly don't know if I can." He walked away from her, heading for Kevin's truck. Jamie closed her eyes and sighed, then opened them, and slowly trailed behind Brian to the truck.


Jamie and Brian were very quiet on the way to the police station. Brian just stared out the window as Jamie drove. Jamie, on the other hand, unable to say anything else, slowly switched to attorney mode. She had gone from being scared to death to ticked off – and ready for a fight. She was quite vocal when they finally reached the police station. AJ and Howie were already there, waiting for them and looking very worried.


The officer at the front desk looked up as the four of them practically ran up to him.


"We’re here to bail out Kevin Richardson and Nick Carter. They were just brought in," Jamie said confidently, taking control of the situation.


Checking his list, the officer replied, "I'm sorry ma'am, but it is going to be a while. They just took them to central booking for processing." Jamie glared at the officer. Almost afraid to tell her, he said, "It'll be at least two hours before they can be bailed out."


Jamie’s face reddened. "Two hours? Damnit, well then I need to speak with Detective Corin, and I mean NOW."


The officer immediately picked up the phone and dialed some number. "What is your name, ma'am?"


"Saxon, Jamie Saxon. This is regarding Nick Carter and Kevin Richardson."


Just then Denise came up to the desk. "Jamie, what is going on? Are they here?"


Jamie tried to calm down, "They are still at central booking, and it's going to be a couple of hours before we can get them out." Jamie turned back to glare at the desk officer, who stammered, "Uhhhm, ma'am? Detective Corin said that he can meet you in his office in 10 minutes, if that's okay with you?"


"That is just fine, tell him I will be there." Jamie was beginning to calm down, but she was still very much in attorney mode, keeping control as best she could. "Listen, Denise, I need to go talk to the idiot detective on this case. It is very very important that the press not get too involved with this, you know?" Denise nodded as the man who arrived with her spoke up.


"You’ve sure got that right, if the press gets a hold of this these guys are ruined. Their career is finished, I don’t care how talented or cute every twelve year old in America thinks they are."


Jamie was getting steamed again, and her glare became focused on the man in front of her. "Let me guess, you're from management, right? Well listen, you are paid to run damage control and that is exactly what you are going to do. But you know what? I could care less about their career right now – I just do NOT want this case tried in the press. It is going to be hard enough for Kevin and Nick to get through this, we don't need the press picking the wrong side and killing them before this ever gets to trial – IF it ever gets to trial. That is where I come in, okay? Just keep the press away from me, and ALL of the guys. Earn your money for once." With that, Jamie stomped off toward the elevator to meet with Detective Corin.





About an hour later Jamie met the guys and Denise back downstairs in the waiting area.


Jamie walked up to Denise solemnly. "Denise, I am really sorry about my little tantrum before. I shouldn’t have gone off on that management guy like that."


Denise laughed out loud. "Honey, listen, I have wanted to do that since the day I met that guy, you just did it for me."


All the guys chuckled along with Denise and Jamie. Howie spoke up. "Yeah, our new management is pretty cool, but let’s just say that they are a little more. . .uptight than we are used to. So anyway, Jamie, did you find out anything from the detective?"


"Well, here's what he told me. I guess after we met with the detective and he sent his report to the district attorney, the DA had a meeting with Molly – that's the girl's name, Molly Coughlin. Anyway, she basically got hysterical when the DA told her that the guys didn't remember anything and basically denied the whole thing." Jamie started, recounting what the detective had conveyed to her.


"I guess she kind of pressed the issue, changed her story a little bit, kind of went ballistic, and the DA decided to go ahead and press charges based on this information."


"What do you mean, she 'changed her story'?" AJ asked angrily.


Jamie paused carefully before answering him. "Well, from what I can gather she insinuated to the DA that more happened than just sexual assault. But before you say anything, just remember, they are only charged with assault, so maybe we should count our blessings for now."


"Count our blessings? What is that supposed to mean?" Brian stood up, almost screaming. "My cousin and my best friend may have raped someone and you are saying that we should count our blessings?" Brian glared at Jamie and stormed out of the waiting area.


Jamie started after him but Howie stopped her. "Let us go get him Jamie. It's nothing personal against you, but Brian is taking this whole thing really really hard." Jamie just shrugged her shoulders and let Howie and AJ go after Brian.


She said quietly, "Oh, Howie, it is personal." Denise touched her shoulder. Jamie looked at her for support, "Denise, this isn't my fault."


"I know, honey, Brian is just very sensitive sometimes and this hit him totally by surprise, just like it did the rest of us. I guess he just can't deal with it right now." Denise put her arms around Jamie and hugged her. "It's going to be fine, really it is."


"I don't know about that, Denise. Brian is really very angry at Kevin, Nick and me for keeping this to ourselves."


"He will deal with that. You'll see, it will be fine," she repeated. Jamie just murmured, "I hope so."


The two women waited nervously until finally the desk officer called them over and told them that Kevin and Nick could be bailed out.


The officer got them to sign all of the necessary paperwork and told them, "The preliminary hearing is scheduled for nine a.m. tomorrow morning."


The women paid the bond and eventually Nick and Kevin came out to the waiting area. Kevin ran over to Jamie and hugged her as if he hadn't seen her in forever and Nick just stood there with his head down. When Kevin and Jamie parted, Jamie walked over to Nick and reached out her hand to lift his chin up, "I don't want to see you with your head down, you understand me?"


Her voice took on a big sister quality to it, "You didn’t do anything wrong and you have nothing to be ashamed of. We are going to straighten this out, got it?"


Nick lifted his head a little and nodded, feigning a small look of relief.


Jamie hugged him tightly and kissed him lightly on the cheek, "Didn't I just promise you Nicky, that everything will be just fine? It will be, you'll see." He hugged her back just as tightly and closed his eyes, hoping it was all just a bad dream.


Kevin looked around, "Did the guys come with you?"


Denise said, "Yes, they did, but Brian isn't taking this very well. They went to get him calmed down, and just to talk. They'll be back later." He nodded in response.


After explaining to Kevin and Nick what Detective Corin had told Jamie, the four of them walked out to the parking lot. Denise bid them farewell and promised to call and check on everyone that evening. Kevin, Nick and Jamie quietly drove back to Kevin's place.





It was almost five before they got home. Jamie wanted Nick to stay with them; she didn't think it was a good idea for him to be alone. Nick agreed and the three of them ordered Chinese takeout and ate in silence. After some giggles at their fortune cookies, Nick started to talk about the situation.


"Hey Jamie, are you going to be our attorney tomorrow? Do we need one?"


"Well, I am going to have to ask the judge in the morning, since I am not allowed to practice law in Florida, but usually prelims aren’t a big deal. Basically, the cops have to show that judge that they have enough evidence – that they have probable cause – to continue with the charges."


Nick went on, "So what happens at this thing tomorrow?"


"Well, the judge will read the charges against you guys, then ask how you plead, and you say not guilty. Then the DA will most likely call either a police officer or Detective Corin to the witness stand and ask them questions about the whole thing. If the judge hears enough evidence to keep the case open, he will bind you two over for trial."


"What does that mean, 'bind us over'?" Kevin asked.


"All that means is that he will continue your bond, you will still be out of jail, and he will schedule a date for a trial."


"What are the chances that they won't have enough evidence to schedule a trial?" Nick said hopefully.


"Well, not very good. Very few cases are thrown out at the preliminary hearing. It doesn’t take much to be bound over. Especially considering that the charge is only assault," and not something worse, Jamie said to herself, "the chances that this will go to trial are pretty good."


Kevin looked at Jamie like a child to a parent, "So, if you want to, will the judge let you represent us at trial?"


"I doubt it, at least not by myself. Someone licensed in Florida needs to be on your case and represent you in court. But you know what, I have a very good friend from Oklahoma who could represent you. I went to school with her and she is licensed in Florida." Jamie got a big smile on her face. "Want me to call her?"


Nick looked at Jamie and said deadpan, "Isn't one female attorney enough?" He burst out laughing as Jamie swung at him. "That’s it Carter – you’re dead." Nick ducked behind Kevin and the three of them starting play fighting until they were all winded and laughing.


"Well at least you guys are in a little better mood now," Jamie chuckled. "Now, let me see if I can convince Taylor to come down here to help us out." She walked into the kitchen dialing numbers on the cordless phone.


A few minutes later Jamie came back into the living room, speaking confidently, "Well, you guys are in luck. Taylor will be here tomorrow evening."


"You say that like you just called in the cavalry," Kevin stated.


"You never know, maybe I just did," Jamie said, a smile of relief moving across her face.

Chapter 6 by old_archive


It was still a little dark outside and Jamie was already out of bed when Kevin woke up early the next morning. He pulled a robe on and walked down the hallway. Seeing a light coming from under the office door, he quietly pushed the door open and saw her sitting at the computer rubbing her eyes.


"Good morning, beautiful," he said quietly so as not to startle her.


"Hey you," she replied, standing up and walking over to him. "You're up early, it's not even six yet."


"I couldn't sleep, especially without you there next to me," he said as he leaned down to kiss her softly. "Why are you up so early?"


"I wanted to type up a motion to represent you two pro hac vice today at the hearing," she said, walking back over to the computer.


"A motion to what?" he said laughing, "That just sounds bad."


Jamie grinned up at him, "Pro hac vice, it's basically just a request to the court that I represent you even though I am not licensed in Florida."


"Oh I see. Are you finished with it? We could get Nick up and get some breakfast."


"Yeah, I just need to print it. Why don't you jump in the shower and I'll go wake Nick up."


Kevin walked over and leaned down to kiss her, whispering, "How about you join me in the shower instead?"


"Um, it's not that I don't want to," she blushed, "but. . ." He started kissing down her neck. "But. . . Kevin," she sat up and pushed him away gently, "we need to concentrate this morning. This is very important!"


"Okay, okay, I know it is, baby. I can see you're in 'attorney mode' again." He said mockingly, "I'll just go shower all by my lonesome then." Turning around with a smile on his face, he left the room.


Jamie sat there with a slight dazed grin on her face before she shook herself and proofed the motion one last time before printing it out. She read over it once more then signed her name and bar number at the bottom.





Jamie walked down the hall to Nick's room and knocked lightly on the door. She didn't hear anything so she carefully pushed the door open. Nick was sprawled out on the bed, face down. It looked as though he had a restless night, bedclothes were scattered everywhere and he was tangled up in the sheet that remained on the bed. She walked over to the edge of the bed and lightly nudged his shoulder.


"Nicky, wake up."


Nick bolted up in bed, "Huh, what??" Realizing where he was and who was there, he rubbed his eyes, "Oh, sorry, you just kind of scared me. What time is it?"


"It's about 6:30. We're gonna go get breakfast before we go to the courthouse. Can you be ready by 7:15?"


"Yeah, sure. No problem," he said quietly and began untangling himself from the bed. Jamie started to walk away when Nick stopped her.


"Jamie . . ."


"Yeah, Nick?" she said, turning around and seeing the sadness in his eyes.


"I'm scared." Jamie walked back to the bed and put her arms around Nick.


"It's going to be fine Nicky, please don't worry. We are going to take care of everything, okay?"


"I know, but I just can't stop thinking about it. When we were at the jail yesterday, it was, well, it was worse than I ever imagined." He shivered at the thought, and she rocked him gently.


Jamie tried to be strong, but similar thoughts ran through her mind. "Just remember that you didn't do anything wrong. Concentrate on that, it will make all the difference in the world. You won't go back there, we'll do our best to make sure of that." She hugged him once more, "Now, come on, let's get all dressed up, I want everyone to see what an upstanding, handsome young man you are." She smiled at him and he smirked a little.


"I don't know how impressive I can be on such short notice, but hey, I'll do my best," he said. Jamie rolled her eyes and left the room. Nick's smirk left his face, and he sat back down on the bed, his head in his hands.





Kevin and Nick, both dressed in very conservative suits, were waiting nervously in the living room when Jamie came downstairs. Jamie was dressed to kill in a fitted navy blue suit with faint creme pinstripes. Her soft auburn hair was pulled elegantly into a french twist.


"Wow," Kevin said, blinking, "You look amazing."


"Yeah, Jamie, you look really good," Nick agreed.


"Don't sound so shocked guys, and pick your mouths up off of the floor," Jamie laughed. "This is what I look like every day I'm not down here visiting you guys. What did you think I wore to work, sweat pants?"


"I don't know. I guess I just kinda forget sometimes. . ." Kevin chuckled, "I forget that you really are a lawyer." Nick laughed with him, but saw that Kevin was about be in big trouble.


"Funny, very funny. Yes, I really am a lawyer, and don't you ever forget it, mister," Jamie said, narrowing her eyes before cracking a smile and smacking Kevin on the arm. "You are about to get a small demonstration of my abilities, you know."


Unfortunately, that last remark sobered them all up. "I know," said Kevin quietly. "I wish you could show me this differently."


"So do I, Kev. So do I. But we can't change this for now. Let's go and get this done, okay?" She hugged them both and tried to change the mood slightly.


"Can we go eat now, please? I am about to fall over from starvation. Besides it's not often I get to go anywhere with two gorgeous men."


"Wouldn't want you to starve," Kevin said with a slight grin. "Although, who's the other gorgeous man that's joining us? I only see Blondie here, and he's notthat good-looking." Nick frowned, and whined, "Hey!"


Jamie chuckled, "Leave Nick alone. He may not be as gorgeous as you, Kev, but he still is fairly good-looking, for a blond."


Nick's frown didn't leave his face, "Why are you two picking today to pick on me? Besides, everyone knows I'm the best looking Backstreet Boy!" Kevin rolled his eyes and Jamie laughed outright.


With that the three of them left to go to breakfast, still squabbling over their looks.





After a quiet breakfast they drove to the courthouse and pulled in the parking garage.


"Nick, can you grab my briefcase from the back for me?" Jamie asked, getting out of the truck.


"Sure, I got it." he said as he picked it up, "Damn, what do you have in here, this thing weighs a ton."


"Whatever, you wimp," Jamie said laughing, taking the briefcase from him, and swinging it in a small arc.


Jamie strode confidently into the courthouse while Kevin and Nick trailed behind, hanging their heads. She turned to look at both of them and stopped suddenly.


"Okay you two, it's show time," she said as she stared at both of them.


"What?" they said in unison.


"I said, it's show time. Think of this as a show. I don't care how you feel, just put on a happy face, look confident and look innocent. Okay?"


"But I thought that this thing was just like a formality anyway?" Kevin asked.


"It very well may be just a formality, but it is also the judge's first opportunity to see you, and like everything else in life, first impressions count. We want the judge to like you, and we want the DA to see confidence. If he smells any fear from either of you, we're dead." As Jamie finished her soapbox spiel, Nick looked at her with the saddest face she had ever seen.


"But Jamie . . ."


"But nothing Nick, you can do this, I know you can. You go out in front of thousands of people each night with no problem. Just think of this as a smaller venue, all right? You are a much stronger and more mature person than anyone gives you credit for, okay?" Jamie said, trying her best to reassure him. Nick nodded, and took a deep breath.


"Great, much better," said Jamie. "You can do this, just follow my lead."


Kevin put his arm on Nick and the three of them walked towards the courtroom, heads held high.





The courtroom was pretty big for a county courthouse. Kevin and Nick took seats in the back while Jamie went to speak with the judge's clerk. When she was finished she went back to speak to Kevin and Nick.


"Okay, I gave my motion to the judge and he'll rule on it as soon as your case comes up." She started explaining what was going to happen, "At nine o'clock, the judge will read the docket for this morning, basically just a list of prelims for today. I am going to sit up in front of the bar and when he calls your case I need you two to come up and stand at the table with me, okay?" Neither Nick nor Kevin seemed to pay much attention to her, but at least they knew when to go up there.


The courtroom was not overly crowded. Thankfully, no press had shown up to turn it into a media circus. After discussing it with Denise the night before, they all decided that it might be better if no one else came to the hearing. No one wanted to draw any more attention to this than was necessary. Everyone would be there for trial, that fiasco was unavoidable, but as for this, Jamie especially wanted it to be very low key.


The docket was called and about an hour and a half later, the clerk called Docket Number 99-1003, State v. Kevin Scott Richardson and Nickolas Gene Carter.


Jamie stood and motioned for Kevin and Nick to join her at the front of the court room.


"Russell Dixon for the State, your honor," the Assistant District Attorney said, standing to address the judge.


"Jamie Saxon for the defense, your honor. I have respectfully submitted a motion to represent these defendants pro hac vice, but only for this hearing."


"I have your motion Ms. Saxon, and it is granted. Are you planning to obtain local counsel for trial?"


"Yes your honor, we have already retained counsel for that purpose but she is unable to be here for this hearing."


"Fine. Motion to represent pro hac vice is granted and noted for the record. Thank you Ms. Saxon. Mr. Dixon, would you please read the information?"


"Certainly, your honor." The Assistant District Attorney proceeded to read the information, the list of charges and allegations made against Kevin and Nick.


It was obvious that this was going to come down to a he said/she said type of case. The allegations were a bit more brutal than Jamie had thought. This girl had basically insinuated everything from sexual assault to rape, and most things in between. Nick and Kevin just sunk down in their chairs as the ADA read, until Jamie looked over and motioned for them to sit up.


When Mr. Dixon finished, the judge looked over to Kevin and Nick, "Will the defendants please rise. . ." Kevin and Nick stood up next to Jamie. "Mr. Richardson, do you wish to enter a plea at this time?"


Jamie nodded at Kevin as if to say, 'It's okay,' "Um, yes, your honor, I plead not guilty."


"Noted for the record. Mr. Carter, do you wish to enter a plea at this time?"


"Uhhhh, I plead not guilty, your honor," Nick stammered.


"Noted for the record. Ms. Saxon, do you intend to file a motion to sever the trials?"


"No your honor, we see no reason for separate trials," Jamie replied.


"Fine. Mr. Dixon, you may call your first witness."


Detective Corin was the prosecutor's only witness and he essentially explained what he had told Nick, Kevin and Jamie. His statements coupled with the information were most likely enough to bind the two over for trial.


When the prosecutor was finished, he sat down and the judge looked at Jamie again.


"Counsel, I have heard enough evidence to establish probable cause and bind your clients over for trial," the judge said, looking through a folder on his desk. "I am going to continue their bond and set trial for two weeks from tomorrow, is that acceptable to both sides?"


The ADA spoke up, "Your honor, considering the charges, we would like to request the defendants be held without bond. . ."


"Save it counselor, they are not in here for murder and your probable cause was shaky as is. Don't push your luck."


Jamie smiled, knowing that this was a very good start for Nick and Kevin.


"Ms. Saxon, any objections?"


"No your honor."


"Trial is set two weeks from tomorrow. Case adjourned."


Jamie signaled for Kevin and Nick to follow her out of the court room and into the hallway.





"Okay guys, that wasn't so bad, was it?" Jamie smiled at them both.


"If it wasn't so bad, why are my knees still shaking?" Nick said.


Jamie put her arm around both of them, "Seriously though, it went really well. The judge doesn't seem to like the ADA all that much and he knows that the case is weak."


"Then why didn't he just let us go if their case is that weak?" Kevin asked, looking down at Jamie.


"Well, technically there was enough to bind you over, but there isn't much more. He really didn't have a choice." The three of them walked towards the parking garage. "Why don't we go to lunch, and then do something relaxing like maybe go to the beach?"


"Yeah, let's go to the beach," Nick agreed, almost jumping up and down as if he were a small child.


Jamie laughed, "We should probably get some fun and relaxation in today before we pick Taylor up at the airport tonight. Once she gets here the fun is over."


"What do you mean by that?" Kevin asked.


"Let's just say that Taylor is a little more, um, intense than I am." She burst out laughing again as Kevin and Nick just looked confusedly at each other. "You'll see what I mean soon enough."


Chapter 7 by old_archive


After calling everyone to let them know how things went, the three of them spent the afternoon at the beach with a big picnic basket full of goodies. Jamie was glad to see Kevin and Nick relaxing a bit, knowing how hard this was on them. As the sun started to set, they packed up and headed to the airport to pick up Taylor.


After parking the car, the three of them entered the airport. Passing the Delta terminal, Kevin and Nick looked at each other and gave slight shudders. Jamie, walking between them, caught the motion, and stopped deliberately in front of the terminal.


"You two need to get over this right now. You spend half your life in airports, and you can't do this."


"Do what, Jaim?" said Nick innocently, "we're not doing anything."


"Nick, don't pull the innocent routine, 'cause it's not going to work. You two are frightened of that terminal because you think you're going to be arrested again, right?"


"Baby, that's not true," Kevin protested weakly, but Jamie shook her head.


"You think I can't tell? I know it's not the most pleasant memory in the world, but you two really do need to deal with this, otherwise you are always going to be nervous wrecks every time you have to fly somewhere." Jamie turned on her heel and began walking into the terminal. She stopped after a hundred yards, turned back to the boys and waited expectantly.


Kevin and Nick glanced at each other, took a deep breath and began walking slowly towards her. Jamie began backing up, moving further into the terminal until she stood at the first gate. Their eyes widened, but they kept approaching her. When they reached her, she linked arms with them both and made them stand there. Nick tried to resist, but Jamie kept a firm grasp on his arm, and shook her head.


"Look, over there, what do you see?" Kevin and Nick turned their heads to see two uniformed guards standing further down the concourse by another gate.


"Uh, cops," Nick stammered. Jamie could feel him shaking as panic set in. Kevin looked just as worried, but stood still.


The two guards began moving down the concourse, coming closer to the three of them. Nick closed his eyes and gave a small whimper. Kevin felt like a statue, he couldn't move even if he wanted to. When the officers were close enough to them, Jamie smiled and said, "Hello."


One of the officers nodded, and the other responded back, "Hello." Looking closely at the two men she was with, he stopped and said, "Hey, aren't you two part of the Backstreet Boys?" Kevin and Nick both looked at the guard, eyes wide.


When neither replied, Jamie sighed, and said, "Yes, they are."


"My little sister is a huge fan of yours. Would you sign an autograph for her?" Nick's intake of breath was loud, and Kevin slowly blinked and nodded.


"You. . . you're not going to arrest us?" said Nick.


The officer laughed, "Why would I do that? You haven't caused a riot. . . yet. Or have you?"


"Um, no, no we haven't. And we would love to sign an autograph for your sister. What's her name?" said Kevin, relief evident in his voice.


"Megan," said the guard as he reached behind him to pull his notepad from his back pocket. He accidentally hit the handcuffs dangling from his belt, and Kevin and Nick jumped slightly at the sound. The officer produced the pad and a pen, and asked, "Are you two okay?"


"Oh, yeah we are. It's just been a long day. Sorry. Megan, you said?" Kevin and Nick both scribbled their names on an open page and gave the book back to the officer. The officers thanked the two of them, and walked away.


They turned to Jamie, who remained silent through the whole episode. She had a satisfied smile on her face. "Feel better now?"


"Yeah, actually I do," said Kevin, and Nick nodded in agreement.


"Good. You should have seen the looks on your faces though."


"Ah, excuse me, Miss Need-To-Hide-When-Lightning-Strikes, I don't think this is very funny," said Kevin sarcastically.


"It's not the same," said Jamie stubbornly. "Besides, if I remember correctly, you did what you could to distract me."


"Really? What did you do, Train?" asked Nick, very interested.


"Nothing you need to know about, Nick," said Kevin abruptly, although he was grinning at Jamie. "All right, so I helped you, you helped me. Great. Can we go get Taylor now?"


Jamie laughed, "Yes, darlin' we can." The three walked out of the terminal and went to the correct one to wait for Taylor's plane to arrive.





Taylor Brett walked out onto the concourse and immediately saw Jamie standing next to two of the most handsome men she had ever seen. "Heads!"


Jamie turned at the nickname and smiled, "Tails! How are you?" Kevin and Nick turned to each other and said, "Heads?"


"Long story, but it had to do with always being together in college and law school. If I EVER hear that nickname from either one of you, there will be hell to pay, you got it? Taylor is the only person allowed to call me that," hissed Jamie. Kevin and Nick just grinned evilly. Jamie turned to face her best friend, and hugged her.


"How was the flight?"


"Okay. We were late as usual flying into Atlanta." Taylor turned to inspect the guys. "So Jamie, are these the two delinquents you need me to bail out?"


"Yep, these are them. Taylor, this is Kevin."


They shook hands, and Kevin said, "Hi. Jamie has told me a lot about you. Nice to finally meet you."


"Really? Well most of what she said is probably true, and the rest is an understatement. And I have heard probably just as much about you." She laughed and turned to Jamie. "You were right." Jamie giggled also, and Kevin asked, "Right? Right about what?"


"Never mind, hon. I'll explain later, maybe. Tails, this one is Nick."


They also shook hands. As Taylor looked into the bluest eyes she had ever seen, she felt something that passed just as quickly as it came. "Uh, hi Nick. Nice to meet you."


"Same here." Nick released her hand, but did it very slowly. Nick's gaze never left Taylor and she licked her lips nervously. Kevin and Jamie appeared not to notice anything.


"So, is this everything or do you have stuff waiting at baggage claim?" asked Jamie.


"Please, when was the last time I ever went anywhere without all my stuff?" Taylor laughed. "Of course it's in baggage claim. This is just my laptop and a few essentials." She looked away from Nick and faced Jamie. "So, which way?"


The four of them went to baggage claim, collected Taylor's suitcase, and headed out to the parking lot. Taylor declared her hunger, so they went for dinner.


Over pasta and salad, Taylor got down to business. "All right, enough small talk. Jaim, how did the prelim go? Obviously, because we're sitting with them, they kept their bond."


"Yeah. Trial is in two weeks. The ADA is on the case, and he tried to withhold bond."


"Really? Well that makes sense, with you two being pop stars."


"How does that make sense?" asked Nick. "Just because we're famous? That's not fair."


"No, Nick, it has nothing to do with your fame. I just meant that the ADA was afraid you were going to do some promotion or concert out of state, and decide not to come back."


"We would never do that! We're both innocent, and we would do whatever it takes to prove it," said Kevin.


"Good, glad to hear it. That's one less worry to have," said Taylor. "What else, Heads?"


Jamie shot a look at Nick, who was snickering, before replying, "The judge seemed to dislike the ADA, and he said that the prosecution's PC was shaky at best."


"Okay, that's to our advantage, and we'll press it as hard as we can. Anything else? What about the information?"


"There may be a slight problem with that. This girl is all over the place with it. She claims that they assaulted her, raped her, and did everything in between. It's going to be a question of veracity."


"Well, it is a problem, but I think we can deal with it. Just because it is a he said/she said, doesn't mean she'll automatically win. It's gonna be who is more believable. Are you two naturally believable, or are you two some slick management image package?"


Kevin and Nick looked at Taylor blankly. "What do you mean?"


"Have your handlers told you how to act and react, or are you really like this?"


Kevin reacted first, "No! No one tells any of us how to act, ever. Anyone who tried would be gone. We deal with ourselves and each other."


Nick asked, "If you thought we were lying, why did you agree to help us?"


Taylor looked at Kevin and Nick intently, then nodded to herself. "Relax. I don't think either of you are lying. I just wanted to see what would happen when you were asked that. The DA is going to press that issue, and I needed to know you can handle that type of scrutiny. You are naturally believable, and that'll help with the jury."


Kevin looked over at Jamie, who nodded and said, "I told you not to worry, Taylor knows what she is doing. She used to be a prosecutor herself in Oklahoma City before selling out." Jamie laughed as Taylor shot her a dirty look.


"I didn't sell out and you know it. I just got tired of city work, and wanted to go into private practice. You should be grateful otherwise I wouldn't be here right now."


"I am, trust me, Tayl. You're just frightening the guys with your intensity."


"This is not intense. You'll see intense in the courtroom." Kevin and Nick looked at each other.


Taylor went back to Jamie, "Did you get pro hac vice for the prelim only?"


"Only the hearing. Why?"


"Just checking. I'm going to assume you want to second chair?"


"Yes, I do. Why are you sounding like that?"


"Because I don't think it's a good idea. You're dating one of the defendants, that's obvious prejudice."


"It's only prejudice if I asked to be first chair, which I'm not. I know I'm very close to this case, but I can't sit there in the gallery and do nothing. I want you to represent them, I know you'll do a fantastic job, I just need to be part of this. Don't ask me to back down now."


"You'll trust me, and let me take this where I think it needs to go in order to get them acquitted?"


"Yes, Taylor, I will. I just need to be at that table too."


Taylor nodded, "All right. We'll ask for another pro hac vice motion tomorrow. Now, about strategy. . ."


As the two attorneys sat there and outlined a method of attack, Kevin and Nick sat there and listened in fascination. Neither one had ever heard Jamie when she was representing anyone. Kevin knew a little from what Jamie told him about her work, but most of the time she told him it was confidential. Kevin was a little awed by her; he knew she was intelligent, he never realized how intelligent until now.


Nick was impressed with Jamie too, but since she treated him as a little brother, he was used to her take-charge attitude. However, he listened to Taylor with amazement. It had never occurred to him that someone as beautiful as Taylor was could be that passionate and ferocious about work, and he was thrilled that her passion was in defense of him. He began to wonder if she was just as passionate in other areas of her life, and he decided he was going to do what he could to find out.


Chapter 8 by old_archive


The four of them drove back to Kevin's house. Taylor originally planned to stay at a hotel while in Orlando, but Kevin and Jamie both insisted she stay at the house. Taylor gave in gracefully after a token protest. They also decided Nick should stay too; his house in Tampa was too far away to be convenient, and it would be easier to have everyone close together. Taylor took the room Nick had spent the previous night in, while Nick took up residence on the pull-out couch in the rec room.


After sharing a bottle of white wine and talking about inconsequential things, Kevin and Jamie both pleaded exhaustion from the day and headed upstairs. Taylor decided to stay downstairs and work some more on the case, and Nick volunteered to keep her company.


Kevin led Jamie into his bedroom, then closed the door firmly behind them. He faced her and said softly, "I'm really not that tired anymore."


Jamie wrapped her arms around him, and looked up into his eyes, which sparkled with green fire. "Funny, suddenly, neither am I. What do you think we should do now? Go back downstairs to join Taylor and Nick?"


Kevin shook his head, "No, I have a better idea." He smiled, and bent his head. Capturing her lips, he kissed her deeply. A small sound came from Jamie's throat, and she opened her mouth slightly. It was all the invitation Kevin needed. His tongue swept inside her mouth, and she sagged against him as all the feelings Jamie felt for this man overwhelmed her. When she responded by drawing his tongue further into her mouth and sucking gently, Kevin groaned and picked her up. Never once breaking the kiss, he laid her down on the bed, and followed her down onto it.


As they continued to kiss, Jamie opened her eyes to find Kevin staring intently at her. The desire she felt was echoed in his now dark green eyes. She broke the kiss and curved her mouth in a smile. Kevin whispered, "I love you, Jamie."


"I love you," she replied. "Make love with me."


Clothes found themselves all around the bed. Normally their lovemaking was filled with laughter and lightheartedness, but tonight was different, and they both felt it. Jamie had asked Kevin to make love, but that wasn't the right phrase for it tonight.


Kevin reached for her again and kissed her hard. She was right there with him, just as forcefully, pulling at him, at his hair. One hand held her close to him, the other was moving all over her body. He broke the kiss, and moved downwards until he found her breast. She gave a small cry as he latched onto the nipple, biting it rather than suckling.


Kevin looked up and started to speak, but she shook her head and brought his mouth back to her breast. Again, he bit her, then rolled his tongue over the spot. His hands were kneading her other breast, not gently at all, but hard. Jamie writhed underneath him as her fingers raked down his back, scoring it with her fingernails.


He let go of her breast and started down again, biting her stomach as he went. Jamie pulled him back up, and kissed him so hard that their teeth met with an audible click. He rolled over, bringing her on top of him. She mimicked him, biting and nibbling at his jawline, his neck, down onto his chest. She swirled her tongue around his nipples before biting him, just as he had done to her.


Kevin reached down between her thighs, and felt with some surprise just how ready she was for him. He flipped her onto her back, and without any warning thrust into her, filling her completely. He didn't move for a second, but looked into her eyes. When he saw the desire and the wildness that matched his own emotions, he began moving within her. Kevin moved faster and faster, each thrust harder than the last. Jamie bucked her hips desperately, trying to keep up with him, and growling in the back of her throat with each thrust.


He came first, burying his face in her neck as it happened. Jamie's climax followed swiftly behind his, the sheer force of it tearing another yell from her throat as she shook violently. The tremors subsided, but neither moved for a while, Kevin pinning her to the mattress while each tried to regain their sanity.


Finally Kevin rolled onto his back, bringing her with him. Not saying a word, he touched her face and wiped the tears that spilled down her cheeks. He held her while she cried, and when she finished, he slowly rubbed his thumb back and forth across her cheek. He kissed her forehead, pulled the blankets over them, reached over to turn out the light, and said softly, "I love you so much, Jamie."


"I know," she replied, sniffling a little.


"Everything will be alright."


"I know that too." But even as she said it, both wondered if it actually would.





Taylor and Nick sat quietly in the living room, Nick stretched out on the couch and Taylor sat in the recliner, flipping through the growing file folder for the case. Taylor leaned up and tried to stretch out her neck, obviously feeling the tension from such a long day.


"Long day, huh?" Nick asked.


"Yeah, I guess," she replied without even glancing up. "I'm used to it though."


"I know what you mean, I can't tell you how many times we've gone weeks without sleeping," Nick started, trying to engage Taylor in conversation, "Well you know, at least sleeping enough."


"Aww, yeah, I'm crying for you. Trust me," she quipped in mock sympathy. "Must be tough having screaming women, well girls, after you all the time, making tons of money, traveling all over the world. . ."


"I'm serious," Nick got a little defensive. "We work hard, it took a long time to get where we are and we aren't just hangin' around waiting for it to end. It's not all fun and games you know."


Taylor laughed openly. "Yeah, whatever Nick."


Nick sat up and looked at her. "We never. . ."


"Listen, I'm not trying to be a bitch, but I don't really have much sympathy for anyone. You have a good life, I'm sure, and one that you chose. That's the big thing with me, everyone has a choice. I choose to work hard at being a lawyer, you choose to work hard at being a famous singer or whatever. Accept the choice, and don't whine about it."


"I'm not whining about it," he said softly. "Damn, I was just trying to make conversation."


"Damnit, I'm sorry Nick," she said, her voice softening slightly. "I just go off sometimes, especially when I'm tired. I really am kind of a bitch, I guess. Just ask Jamie, she'll tell you. I listen to people moan and groan all day long about how they have screwed up and then I have to fix their problems." She fell back into the chair and laughed softly, "It just pisses me off sometimes."


"I can understand that," Nick said as he got up from the couch and walked over behind the recliner. "It gets to everyone, even us superstars." He laughed as he reached down and started to massage Taylor's neck.


"Oh, damn, that feels good Nick," Taylor closed her eyes and tried to enjoy the feeling, then she giggled, "but you're not getting a discount on your attorney's fees."


Nick felt the mood lighten and the two began to chat. Taylor asked Nick all about the band, how they got together, how long they had been together, about the rest of the guys. She figured the more that she knew about the group, the better off she would be. They all sounded very different and she was surprised that they had been together so long. She wondered about Nick being so young and having experienced all that he had so early. The two of them wound up lying on the floor in the living room, laughing and talking like they had been friends for years.


"So, how long have you known Jamie?"


"Gosh, I guess, what, twelve years or so. We went to college together and then to law school together."


"Wow, that's a long time. No wonder you two are 'Heads' and 'Tails,'" he said laughing.


"Yeah," she laughed with him. "We used to get into all kinds of trouble together but we had so much fun. . . Probably too much fun sometimes. I remember one time. . ." She stopped when she heard a faint ringing. Quickly grabbing her purse, she rummaged through it looking for her cell phone.


Looking at the incoming number she mumbled, "Shit, I forgot to call Mike. He's gonna kill me," she said in a panic. She hit the button on the phone and spoke softly, "Hello?"


"Yeah, I'm fine. No, I'm really sorry we just got caught up talking about the case. . . No, Jamie's sleeping. No, I'm not at a hotel, I’m at Kevin's house, you know, Jamie's boyfriend. Yes, of course. . . no, Mike, please, don't be mad at me. Yes, I'm alone. . . no, Mike, don't, would you just calm down, please? Okay, yeah, I know, I'll be home in a couple of days. . . The trial is in two weeks, so I have to come back here. Mike, please, don't, Mike, just. . ." Taylor stopped and stared blankly at the phone.


Nick had gone back to sitting on the couch and looked shyly at Taylor as she paced around the living room on the phone. He tried to act as if he didn't hear her conversation, but that was almost impossible. He didn't say anything when she finished, he just watched her walk back over to the chair and pick up the file as she sat down.


Taylor looked over at Nick a little bleary eyed, as if she were about to cry. She took a deep breath and managed to speak, "So, ummm, are you sure that you don't remember anything else about this girl, or the promotion that day?"


"Yeah, I'm sure." He looked at Taylor and saw so much pain he was almost in tears himself. "Taylor, are you alright?"


"Yes, I'm fine, really. That was my, uh, boyfriend, Mike. I was so stupid, I forgot to call him when I got here." She tried her best to lighten her tone, "He was just really worried, that's all."


Nick didn't know why but he got the feeling he didn't like Mike very much. "Yeah, I can imagine."


Taylor started picking up the file and her other things and laid them neatly on the coffee table. "Well, I had better get some sleep. There is lots of work to be done tomorrow."


Nick picked himself up off of the floor. "Yeah, I guess I better hit the sack too."


They walked toward the stairs. "Hey Taylor," Nick said, turning to her as she started up the stairs.


"Yes, Nick?"


Nick took her hand and just held it lightly. "Umm, I just wanted to thank you kind of in advance for helping us. We really appreciate this."


Taylor looked at that sweet face and wondered what kind of person could accuse him of something like this. Guys like Nick didn't do these sort of things, but there were guys that did. "No Nick, thank you," she whispered as she turned and ran up the stairs.


Chapter 9 by old_archive


The next morning, they tried to make it business as usual. Kevin and Nick went to the studio to record, and Taylor and Jamie went with them. Taylor wanted to see the five of them together, and to see if there was anything more anyone remembered about that day.


When they arrived at the studio, Brian was sitting in one corner of the recording booth sulking, reading the sports section of the morning newspaper. AJ and Howie were going through a sound check of the microphones. Jamie and Taylor walked into the control room, while Kevin and Nick went to join their bandmates.


"Morning, all," Kevin said softly. AJ and Howie returned the greeting while Brian acted as if he hadn't heard his cousin speak.


"Yo Frick, what's up?" asked Nick. Brian reacted by looking up, glaring at Nick, and returning to the basketball scores. Nick walked over, casually grabbed the paper out of Brian's hands and said, "What is your problem, Brian?"


"My problem? You want to know what my problem is?" Brian shouted. "I'll tell you what it is, it's this!" Brian picked up another section of the paper and threw it at Nick. Nick unfolded the paper to reveal the front page headline: "BACKSTREET RAPISTS?"


"What the hell. . .?" Nick turned to face the control booth, where Denise had joined Taylor and Jamie in the room. "I thought this wasn't going to be in the papers?"


Denise had just finished telling the girls about the morning press coverage, so they weren't as nearly shocked when Nick yelled. "Nick, we never said it wouldn't be in the press. All we said is that we would try to keep it minimal."


"Well, it doesn't look like you did such a good job there, Denise, now did you?" snarled Brian.


"Hey, easy there, Littrell," said AJ. "My mom did what she could."


Howie chimed in, "Relax Bri, you know how the press is, especially with things like this."


"Relax? How the hell can you all relax? Do you know what is going to do to us, especially if they are convicted? Our careers are over!"


"Hey, hey, hey! We are NOT going to be convicted, we didn't do anything wrong!" snapped Nick. The others stood in shock, mouths open at various levels. Kevin's hands began clenching and unclenching, a sign that he was very close to exploding. Jamie saw his hands, nudged Taylor, and the two of them left the control booth to go into the recording booth.


"Brian, you were there at the signing. You know nothing happened, why are you so willing to believe the papers all of a sudden?" asked Howie, trying to find a way to calm tempers before things got way out of hand.


Brian, however, refused to be calm. "I apparently don't know anything." He faced Nick and Kevin. "And when exactly were you two going to tell us any of this? At the trial? When we came for visiting day at the jail? When?" Brian's face was turning red and he looked as if he were about to hyperventilate.


"Why don't you believe us, Brian? Nothing happened, got it? Nothing!" yelled Nick. Nick and Brian faced off, each glaring at the other, each brightly colored. Kevin stood next to Nick, ready to join in. AJ and Howie were still standing in place, watching in shock at what was going on, neither able to say anything.


Jamie marched in and crossed over to stand in between Brian, Nick and Kevin. She faced Brian, and began yelling. "What the hell is wrong with you, Brian? Do you have any idea what they are going through? How exactly are you helping them? You are supposed to be supporting them, not blaming them. And you're only worried about your own damn career? Brian, this is their LIFE, this is not about you and how betrayed you feel. Get over this, and help us!" Kevin had a hand on Jamie's arm, but she shook it off.


"No, Kevin, let me finish this. I have been doing everything I can to make sure you get a fair trial, to make sure you don't get convicted. I ask all of you for a little help. AJ and Howie, at least, are willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, as well as everyone else at the Firm. However, your own cousin, the one person you should be able to count on most, has already convicted and sentenced you. If he doesn't believe you, how are we supposed to be able to convince the rest of the world? You are NOT going to be convicted, I won't allow it, even if Brian will!" Taylor, who had been standing behind Kevin during Jamie's tirade, reached around him, grabbed Jamie by the arm and literally dragged her out of the room. Taylor stuck her head back in, and said, "You all better get things under control here, now. I will work on calming her down." Taylor disappeared, closing the door of the studio behind her.


Kevin turned back around and said to Brian, "She's right you know. If you don't believe in us, what are we going to do next?"


Brian sighed. "It's not that I don't believe you, I want to, really. It's just that, well, that. . ." his voice trailed off, and Brian had the grace to look embarrassed.


"It's just what?" said Howie, encouraging Brian to continue.


"I just can't believe you wouldn't tell me what's going on!" wailed Brian. Kevin and Nick exchanged looks. Howie and AJ slowly backed away, realizing that they had very little to do with this and leaving it to the others to work it out. Kevin shook his head, "No, this involves all of us and I think we all need to talk about it." AJ and Howie nodded and rejoined the three of them.


"Well," started Kevin, "I guess I didn't handle this very well. It was my idea not to say anything. Nick and Jamie both wanted to tell you about this, and I said no." Nick nodded in agreement.


"But why?" asked Brian, "I don't understand why you felt you couldn't talk to us about this." Brian had calmed down somewhat, but he still had the hurt and betrayed look on his face that had been there all morning.


Kevin ran a hand through his hair, "We thought. . ." Nick shook his head no. "Okay, I thought," he looked over at Nick, who nodded, "I thought if we didn't say anything, that it would just go away on its own. Almost like if you talk about something bad happening, then it would happen to you. Same idea, I guess."


"That sorta makes sense, I guess," said AJ. "But it would have been easier on the rest of us if you had mentioned the little trip to the cops. Do you think we enjoyed that little scene at the airport? Nice surprise you gave us there, Train."


"It wasn't my intention to do that to you, J. Trust me, I would rather that hadn't happened."


"Yeah us too," said Howie. The tension in the recording studio disappeared almost as if it hadn't ever existed.


"I'm sorry guys. If I could do it over again, I would have told you. This hasn't been easy on Nick or me, and I guess it would have been easier if we didn't have to keep it a secret."


"That's the point, Kev. You didn't have to keep it secret, you chose to," said Brian. "If we knew, we could have dealt with it the same way we deal with everything, together."


"Okay, so we have established that I'm an overprotective idiot. Shoot me." AJ pointed two fingers at Kevin and said, "Bang!"


"Thanks, AJ. Always knew I could count on you."


"It's what I'm here for," said AJ. "Besides the singing, performing, and the girls of course." Kevin smiled.


Brian turned to Nick, "I'm sorry I yelled at you, Frack. I guess I figured you would tell me, and I'm disappointed you didn't." Nick flinched.


"Sorry Rok, but Kev asked me not to. Trust me, I thought about calling you and telling you so many times last week. But between being yelled at by you or Kevin, I thought it would be safer if you did the yelling." The others grinned, but Kevin frowned.


"I wouldn't have yelled at you."


"Uh huh, whatever you say, Kevin." Nick and the others remained unconvinced.


"Okay, so maybe a little bit of yelling." Nick rolled his eyes. "Okay, a lot, but I thought at the time it was for our own good."


"Yeah, well look where it got us," said Nick.


"Look, how many times do I have to apologize? I said I'm sorry for not handling this right. What exactly do you want me to do?"


"Washing cars could be a good start," offered Howie.


AJ piped up, "Cleaning apartments works for me."


"That isn't what I meant and you know it," said Kevin, exasperated. The four others started laughing.


"Can't blame us guys for trying. It's rare that you goof up this badly, and say you're sorry, so we want to take advantage of it," said AJ.


Brian looked over at Nick who was still laughing. "And why are you laughing, Nick? You aren't blameless in this, you know." Nick's laughter turned into a strangled choking noise.


"Okay, okay, y'all have had your fun. How about we try recording something? Since it's kinda why we're here," said Kevin, hoping desperately to change topics and get things back on track.


Nick looked around, "You know, we haven't seen Taylor and Jamie in a while. I wonder what's going on with them?"





Taylor dragged Jamie down the hall to a small sitting area with a vending machine and chairs. She pointed to one chair, and Jamie dropped down onto it.


"Nice tirade Jamie, feel better now?"


Jamie took several deep breaths, then smiled slightly, "Yeah, actually I do. Damnit, Brian gets on his little self-absorbed high horse sometimes and forgets that other people live in this world too. That drives me absolutely crazy."


Taylor poured two cups of coffee and walked back over to Jamie, handing her one. "I get that impression, but he really does seem to care, especially about Nick."


"Oh yeah, Frick and Frack?" Jamie started, "They are probably closer than Kevin and Brian are, it's kind of weird. I'm glad that Nick has someone he is that close to. His family is on the other side of the country now, rather than being just down the road. I worry about him sometimes, but I know he's a strong kid. Kevin is taking all of this pretty well I guess, but Nick is a little more fragile. He's broken down twice that I've seen. I'm willing to bet, though, he's actually done it more since this whole thing started."


"So how old is he again?"


"Nick? He's, lets see, nineteen, almost twenty."


"Damn that's awfully young to be in his position," Taylor said, shaking her head.


"Anyway, do you think that they will work it out okay? I mean, you think Brian will come around?"


"Yeah, probably. The guys amaze me sometimes with their ability to handle the crap they go through. They will all come around, it just might take some time."


Taylor fidgeted with her cup, "Good, I hope they do, we don't need any dissonance during this whole thing." She paused, "Um, Jamie, I need to go home tomorrow."


"You do?"


"Yeah, um, I have some loose ends I need to tie up at work, and. . ."


"And Mike is being an ass again?" Jamie said with a maddening tone. "Nick mentioned that he called last night."


"No, really, he just misses me that's all," Taylor took a long drink of coffee and closed her eyes so she wouldn't have to see the expression on Jamie's face.


"Yeah, whatever. Taylor, I swear you amaze me sometimes. That guy is such an ass and you can't see it. But if anyone else is dating someone like Mike, you're the first one to point out that he should be dropped like a hot potato."


"Jamie, please don't lecture me about Mike right now, I just need to go home and get some things sorted out, okay?"


"Yeah," Jamie relented, "Actually I do too. I have a case that I am supposed to be doing depositions on that I need to reschedule and sort out. We can both go home for a couple of days and then meet back here to really prepare for the trial, okay?"


Taylor nodded. "Wait, do you think it's safe to leave those two alone here?" She started to smile.


Jamie giggled, "It's never safe to leave those two alone together, but we'll warn the police we're leaving just the same. C'mon, we better go see what condition the guys are in, and who we need to patch up." They finished their coffee, and headed back to the recording booth.


Chapter 10 by old_archive


By the time Jamie and Taylor got back to the recording studio, the guys were already in the booth working. They spent the afternoon listening to the guys record. The tension within the group from the morning had dissipated but it was still not the way it normally was when they recorded. The guys bickered a little back and forth about the music as usual, but the whole tone of it was slightly more complicated.


"Are the guys always this tense when they are recording," Taylor asked, "or do you think this whole mess is just bringing them down?"


"They are usually a little tense, at least I know Kevin gets very frustrated," Jamie replied. "But I'm sure that they are all worried about this, who wouldn't be. They're tougher than everyone thinks though, they'll get through it."


"You know, they are really talented, Jamie," Taylor said with a slightly surprised tone. "I guess I never realized how good they were. I never really paid attention to their songs."


"Yeah, I know. Everyone who really listens to them says the same thing," Jamie grinned back at Taylor. "I know it frustrates them that more people don't truly appreciate their talent, and that they are kind of dismissed because they are pop artists."


Taylor laughed slightly at that comment, "Guilty as charged, I suppose." She looked up and through the glass of the recording booth, pausing to look at each member. The guys were thoroughly immersed in their work and she could see the passion in their eyes. She stared at Kevin and Nick especially, trying to get a sense of who they really were. Taylor saw nothing but passion and sincerity in both.


Nick looked up at the control room to find Taylor watching him intently. He stopped singing and looked back at Taylor. They stared at each other for a moment before a small smile crept across Nick's mouth, bringing Taylor out of her trance.


"You really love Kevin, don't you," Taylor asked suddenly, turning to Jamie.


"Yes, I do, very much. But what made you say that?" she replied, puzzled.


"I can see it in his eyes, the happiness, the security. . ." Taylor paused, "It's that look you get when you know that you aren't alone and that someone really loves you, unconditionally."


Jamie looked down at Kevin and saw him smiling at her. She winked, grinned back and faced Taylor, "I guess I have that look too. I just wish it hadn't taken so long to get here."


"At least you're there, and I'm happy you are."


"You know you could be too, if you would just. . ."


"Jamie, I said before that I don't want to get into this. I was only making an observation, that's all," said Taylor sharply. Jamie looked at her friend, noted the pained expression, and wisely dropped the subject.


The two sat there for a while longer listening to the recording session until the producer said that they were finished for the day. The guys filed out of the booth, joking around with one another. Kevin came over to Jamie and hugged her tightly as the rest of the guys gathered around them and Taylor.


Jamie turned around in Kevin's embrace and introduced Taylor to the rest of the guys. "Taylor Brett, I would like you to meet the rest of the Backstreet Boys: AJ McLean, Howie Dorough, and Kevin's cousin, Brian Littrell."


Taylor politely shook each of their outstretched hands and smiled. Jamie invited them all to go to dinner so they could talk. Taylor spoke up and mentioned that she wanted a chance to speak with each one just to get a sense of the group and talk about the case in general. They all agreed and headed out to dinner.


The group was quite cheerful through dinner, everyone chatting about the new record and getting to know more about Taylor.


"You should hear their nicknames for each other. . ." Nick laughed. "Heads and Tails."


The group laughed, AJ especially, "I don't think I'm gonna touch that one."


Jamie glared at Nick with that you-are-so-dead-later look and he stopped laughing. AJ glanced at her as he tried to stifle his laughter. "You won't AJ, not if you want to make it to dessert," said Jamie.


Taylor perked up, "Don't be so tense about it Heads, it's all in good fun."


"Oh yeah? Well, then you won't mind if I tell them the OSTRICH story then, will you?" Jamie laughed at Taylor's expression.


"Oh. . ." Taylor started, "Well wait a minute, there's no need for that, is there? Not that they would believe you anyway, me being the pristine, upstanding lawyer I am today." As she said that the two women burst out laughing while the guys stared at them curiously.


"Okay, you gotta tell us now," Brian said with a grin, "our curiosity has been piqued."


"I don't know if I want to hear about anything that involves you two and an ostrich," Nick groaned mockingly.


"Oh, I do," said AJ with a large grin. "This sounds like it's gonna be good."


Jamie just smiled devilishly. "Well, actually, it isn’t an ostrich at all, it's a North American Black Bear, and it wasn’t me and Taylor, it was Tails and our friend Kelly. . ."


"Okay, now I'm interested," Nick said, with a smirk.


Taylor just sat there with her head in her hands as Jamie carefully recounted the drunk evening in college when Taylor and Kelly had attempted to wrestle the bear during a promotion at the local bar where they all used to hang out.


"And needless to say," Jamie said, finishing the story, "the bear won, big time."


Thoroughly amused and thoroughly shocked, the guys all turned to Taylor who by this time had her head buried in her hands, her eyes barely peeking through her fingers.


"Okay, okay, you've had your revenge," Taylor said straightening up and looking around the table. "That was thoroughly embarrassing, Heads. Thank you so very much."


"Actually, I have a new found respect for you," AJ piped up, still chortling.


"Yeah, me too," Nick agreed, "even if you are a lawyer." Jamie and Taylor both glared at Nick with narrowed eyes, who suddenly decided that his steak was the most fascinating thing he had ever seen. The two women cracked up, as did everyone else. Nick looked back up, a half smile on his pink face.


"Actually, speaking of being an attorney, the reason I brought you all here together is to. . ." began Taylor jokingly. Even though Taylor was not being very serious, the mood at the table shifted.


"Do we have to talk about this now?" Nick pouted. "I was just beginning to relax and have fun."


Jamie sighed, "Nick, you know we need to do this. The sooner it happens, the sooner we can talk about anything else you want."


"Like the new Sega Dreamcast?" Brian seemed to cheer up a little at Nick's suggestion, but the others groaned. Taylor just looked baffled.


"Sega?" asked Taylor. "Aren't you a little old to be playing with that stuff?"


"Uh Taylor, Nick's about college age, remember? What do you remember most about Jason and our other male friends?"


"Oh yeah, right, that damn Playstation. I was beginning to think they didn't have hands, they had controllers at the ends of their arms." The guys all laughed at that, and Brian and Nick colored slightly.


"Anyway," said Jamie, "we do need to talk about the signing. Sorry to ruin the fun here."


"Right, right," said Taylor. "All right, let's start at the beginning. What exactly were you guys doing at the promotion?"


Kevin spoke up, "Well, we were at Tower Records. We released our latest single in the US for the first time, so we went to meet fans, sign the CD, posters, whatever."


"Wait," said Taylor. "You're working on a new album and you already released a single from it?"


Howie shook his head, "No, Taylor, it's from our last record. But single releases are supposed to bridge the gap between records. And we haven't really released any singles in the US for sale from this last album, so it is a big deal. I remember a lot of people there, we were there almost all day it seemed."


"Okay, I got it now, so you were there to promote yourselves. How close do you get to your fans?"


AJ said, "Pretty close. Sometimes, they get a little too close, if you know what I mean. But for the most part, we sit at a long table, the fans are on the other side, they give us something to sign, we sign, maybe take a picture and talk to them, and pass it down to the next person to sign. And so on and so on."


"So you're all signing stuff. Do any of you remember Molly?" They shook their heads no.


"Actually," said Howie, "I have no idea what this girl even looks like. Wouldn't be able to pick her out of crowd if I had to." Brian and AJ agreed.


"Besides," added Brian, "There were just so many people there, I'm lucky I remember the other guys' names and what they look like. There's just no way to tell who came through the line or not."


Taylor looked slightly disappointed until Kevin said, "But that wouldn't matter. She met Nick and I when we took a break."


"Yeah, Kevin and I had gone to use the restroom. When we came out, she was standing there, just hanging around," added Nick.


"Standing there? Were there others around waiting to use the restrooms too?" asked Taylor.


"No, they were in the back for us to use and employees," said Nick. "Actually, she shouldn't have been there at all."


"Isn't that odd?"


"Not really. You wouldn't believe what some fans do to get into the places they aren't supposed to be. We know there's always gonna be at least one person where they shouldn't despite all our bodyguards and security and whatnot," said Kevin. The others nodded.


"And where were your security people?"


"Don't remember. I'm sure they weren't too far away though."


"Okay. So was she waiting for you or someone to come out of the Ladies' Room?"


"When we came out, she jumped up and came over, so I guess she was waiting for us."


"What did she do?"


"She stuck a CD in our faces, and we signed it," said Nick.


"She's somewhere she shouldn't be, attacks you, and you oblige her by signing an autograph?" Taylor was dumbfounded.


Nick laughed, "Sorry, we have manners even if everyone else doesn't. She was still a fan, so we talked to her. I guess now it wasn't such a great idea. I highly doubt if I'll ever do that again."


"No, it probably wasn't the best idea, but what's done is done," agreed Jamie. "So, what happened next?"


"I know she said we propositioned her, but actually she's the one who did the propositioning. Something about taking both of us on or pretty close to that," said Kevin, flushing. Nick squirmed in his chair, and the others looked uncomfortable.


Taylor merely raised an eyebrow. "Then what?"


"We laughed a little at it, we get suggestions like that all the time. But she seemed to be really serious about it, so we did what we usually do in those types of situations."


"Which is?" she prompted.


"Laugh nervously and hightail it out of there. We left her standing there, and went back to the table. I don't know what happened after that, I know I didn't see her again, and she didn't come through the line," said Nick.


"Okay, so nothing happened really," Taylor started talking almost to herself. She looked over at Jamie who was deep in thought herself. "Motive, that's what we really need to figure out. What is her motive for all of this?"


"She's pissed off? She's hurt? Jamie retorted. "She's just plain psycho?"


The guys looked at each other knowingly. AJ spoke up, "What, some of our fans? Psycho? You've got to be kidding." Sarcastic smiles spread across every face at the table.


"Okay, even so, two things don't make sense," Jamie continued, "First of all, who would want to put themselves through something like this, the trial I mean, for kicks? This is going to be just as bad on her at times. And second, if she was really a fan, why would she want to hurt you guys?" Jamie looked at the guys for answers as she kept going, "From what I can tell your fans are nothing if not loyal, so it makes no sense that a fan would do something like this."


The guys all shrugged their shoulders, looking very confused. No one had an answer for Jamie. After paying the bill the group filed out to the parking lot and into their respective cars. Jamie and Taylor hung back from the group both racking their brains for some type of logical explanation.


"Maybe that's just it," Taylor looked over at Jamie. "Maybe she wasn't a fan at all."


"Like, it was some kind of set up?" Jamie looked skeptical.


"Why not?" Taylor asked. She started ticking points off on her fingers. "They're rich, they're famous, they're handsome, it wouldn't take much to see why someone would want to jeopardize that."


"I don't know, Tails, I think you may be watching too many made for TV movies."


Chapter 11 by old_archive


Kevin and Brian were leaning up against Kevin's truck talking when Taylor and Jamie came up to them. Brian looked up when he heard their footsteps.


He nervously glanced at Kevin, then over to Jamie. "Jamie, can I talk to you for a minute?" he asked.


Kevin gave Taylor a look as if to say 'We need to leave them alone for a bit' and said, "Come on Taylor, we need to get going, otherwise Nick'll be sitting on my doorstep. I hate to think of what would happen to my house if he's there too long waiting." He opened the door and held it for Taylor, who understood completely and didn't protest.


"I'll bring Jamie back to your house when we're done," said Brian. Kevin nodded, squeezed Jamie's shoulder then walked around to slide into the driver's seat. Brian took Jamie's hand and led her to his Jeep. He climbed up onto the hood, and patted the space next to him. Jamie climbed up next to him, and sat stiffly.


"Jamie," he said, then stopped. She looked at him, and said, "What?"


He sighed, "I want to say I'm sorry for the way I've been treating you these last couple of days."


Jamie sat there coldly, just looking at Brian. "Go on," she said. "I'm listening."


Brian gave her a weak smile, "You're not going to make this easy on me are you, cuz?"


"Nope, just like you haven't made it easy for me lately." The use of their nickname did nothing to alleviate Jamie's frosty expression and Brian grimaced, knowing this would be difficult.


"I know this isn't your fault, Jaim. I had no right to take it out on you at the airport or at the police station. I was just so hurt by the fact that none of you felt that you could talk to me about this."


"Kevin said he explained his reasons to you for it. Why are you going over this again now?"


"Because Kevin and Nick understand me well enough to know why I was upset and how to deal with me. You don't, and we need to change that." Brian relaxed a bit and continued. "You are an important part of Kevin's life, and so you are important to me as well. I feel like I need to explain my actions to you." He tried to pick up her hand, but she resisted slightly before allowing him to do so.


"Jamie, I never meant for you to take this personally. I need to blow off steam sometimes, and when I do, it's usually directed at whoever's around me. The fellas all understand how I am, and they either talk me out of it, or leave me alone until I've dealt with whatever made me upset."


"I've left you alone, Brian," Jamie answered in a monotone.


"Yes, but the difference is that once I've dealt with it, they come back and we talk about it, and we move on. But you didn't do that."


"I haven't really been in the mood to have my head taken off again, Brian. You just frustrate me so much sometimes."


He nodded, "I know, and I'm trying to apologize for it, Jaim." She relaxed slightly, and Brian continued with a more hopeful tone. "Look, I know that you're doing what you can to help Kev and Nick, and I'm grateful for that. Taylor wouldn't be here if it weren't for you, and from what I saw at dinner, they are in good hands with the two of you representing them. I truly appreciate that. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize that."


Jamie looked at Brian, "I'm not helping Kevin because of you. I'm doing it because I love him and because I know he and Nick did nothing wrong. You don't seem to think that they are innocent, and I want to know why."


"I do think they are innocent, I really do. I guess at the time I panicked, and I was willing to believe the charges. It didn't seem like the police would arrest them unless there was something to it, and I went along with that idea. I should have known better, Jamie, and I do know that now. I will do anything I can to help you prove their innocence. I want this all to be over and behind us."


Jamie actually smiled at that, "If I didn't know you two were related before, I do now. You two sound exactly the same sometimes." Her smile faded, and she said more seriously, "Brian, can I be really honest with you?"


"You know you can."


"Kevin means more to me than anything, and I am so scared right now. I have seen lesser charges ruin stronger people and I am not sure that we can get through this. If something happened to Kevin. . ." She trailed off, staring down at the hood.


"Jamie, look at me." Brian lifted her chin so her eyes met his. "We've had our little fight now but from this point on, we're a brick wall. Every one of us is in this together, and we'll fight it together."


"I know, Brian, but. . ."


"No buts! I knew when I met you that you were in love with Kevin. I could see it in your eyes. You're in love with him, and for all the right reasons. You could care less about Kevin's career, his fame, whatever, that stuff doesn't mean anything to you." Brian softened a little, thinking back to his own failed relationships. "All you want is for him to be happy, that's it." Brian reached up and wiped a tear from Jamie's cheek, "And that's what I want too. For both of you, together."


A more contented look crossed Jamie’s face as she struggled to maintain her composure. "Thank you. I know you do Brian, and I'm sorry that I lashed out. I suppose in many ways, we are very much alike, we yell at the people we love, knowing that they'll love us anyway."


Brian smiled back, and said, "Am I forgiven yet? I really am sorry for all of this, Jamie. I know this is hard on all of us, and my taking your head off like that probably hasn't helped matters any."


"No, it didn't. Brian, you are right, we all need to be one hundred percent behind Kevin and Nick." Jamie's voice was stronger now, "Any appearance of dissension among us and you really can kiss their freedom and your career goodbye. It doesn't matter if they're innocent or not, trust me on that."


"I know, I know, and I want to fix that. And I want you to know that I'm not worried about my career. I would trade anything in my life for them to be free and clear of all of this. I couldn't honestly continue my career knowing it was at their expense because I was more worried about me than them. That isn't in my nature at all, and I don't want you to think it is. I will do anything you need to help, I promise you that."


Jamie sighed, "All right, Brian, I believe you."


"And?"


"And you're forgiven, for now. But it still hurts."


"It still hurts you didn't tell me about all of this right away. I haven't entirely forgotten that you know."


"You act as if I didn't want to tell you. I did, I thought it was important that you, AJ and Howie all know what was going on. Kevin is the one. . ."


"I know, I know, it was Kev's idea not to say anything. But I guess I thought that you would tell me anyway, since I'm his family. And before you ask, I thought Nick would tell me too since we're best friends, and that hurt me also. But he and Kevin forgave me, just as I forgave them. Now we need to do the same."


"I just said I did."


"You didn't sound too convincing before. Please don't do this for my sake or Kevin's, do it for your own. I really am sorry, and I really want you to understand and accept my apology."


"I really believe you, and you are forgiven. I just wanted to make sure that you weren't apologizing for my sake or Kevin's either. That's what you two were talking about when we came up just now, right?"


Brian grinned, "Yeah, he was trying to convince me to apologize to you. He didn't know that I had already planned on talking to you after dinner anyway. I do feel bad about all of this." He leaned over to kiss her cheek, and she hugged him in return. He held her tightly for a minute to reassure her.


"Why don't we just blame this all on Kevin, it's easier that way," Jamie said laughing.


"Okay, now you have figured out the secret to our success," Brian laughed with her, "We always blame it on Kevin!" Jamie smiled at Brian, and he felt lighter, as if one major worry simply disappeared from his life.


In a mock falsetto voice, he said, "Okay, now that the touching make-up scene is over, I'll take you home now." Brian slid off the hood, helped Jamie down and they got in the Jeep. Brian drove back to Kevin's house, and pulled into the driveway.


As Jamie got out, she turned to Brian, "Are you gonna come in with me?"


"No, I have some things I need to do tonight. I'll see all of you tomorrow, though."


"Well, actually you won't. Taylor and I each need to fly home tomorrow to get things taken care of at work so that we can come back and devote ourselves entirely to the trial. So I'll be back in a couple of days."


He nodded, "Well, then I'll see you in a few, cuz." She leaned over and pecked him on the cheek, "Yes, you will, cuz." He smiled in relief upon hearing her use the nickname.


"In the meantime, make sure Kevin and Nick behave themselves while we're gone, and they don't do anything stupid, okay?"


"Uh, you do know this is Nick and Kevin we're talking about, right?" Brian grinned.


She laughed, nodded, and waved goodnight. She slammed the door closed, and started up the walk to the house. The front door opened, and Kevin stood there in the doorway. Brian waved, and pulled out of the driveway.


When she reached Kevin, he pulled her into an embrace and asked softly, "Everything all right between you two now?" She nodded, and he said, "Good, I'm glad."


He kissed her, "Come on, Nick is trying to show Taylor the finer points of Mario Kart, and it's not a pretty sight."


"This I have to see!" Jamie chuckled, and allowed Kevin to guide her in the house.


Chapter 12 by old_archive


Nick and Kevin drove Jamie and Taylor to the airport early the next morning. The girls took their respective flights, Jamie to Cincinnati and Taylor to Oklahoma City. The guys quietly walked out of the airport and headed to the recording studio to work. Both Nick and Kevin seemed a little lost without the girls around. Each faded into a tense silence, their thoughts swirling. On the ride to the studio, Kevin finally broke the silence.


"Do you even really remember what this Molly chick looked like?"


Nick paused for a moment, "Not really. I kinda remember she had long hair, maybe brownish. Honestly, I don't think I would know her if I saw her."


"Me either and it's pissing me off." Kevin clutched the steering wheel tighter. "She's saying all of this crap about us and we don't even really know who the hell she is."


"Tell me about it," Nick snickered, "If I'm gonna get busted for something stupid, at least maybe I could really have done the stuff."


"Not funny." Kevin said, although he laughed a little himself. "But seriously, this is really getting to me. I might have an idea. . ."





Jamie and Taylor both returned to Florida two days later. Their flights were scheduled about an hour apart and Nick and Kevin went to the airport that afternoon to get them.


Jamie's flight arrived first and she greeted Kevin passionately. Nick whistled to himself and looked randomly around the terminal as the couple continued kissing. Jamie pulled away from Kevin and walked over to give Nick a big hug.


"So, did my little brother stay out of trouble while I was gone?" Jamie reached up as high as she could with her 5'1" frame to tousle Nick's hair.


Nick responded nervously. "Ummm, who, me? Of course I did."


Jamie giggled toward him and looked at Kevin. "Why am I not convinced?"


Kevin shrugged off the query, shooting Nick a don't-you-dare-say-anything look. "All lawyers are paranoid, don't they teach you that in law school?"


"Hey, just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not after me." The three laughed and headed to baggage claim to get Jamie's luggage.


Dragging Jamie's three suitcases with them, they returned to the terminal to wait for Taylor's flight. A few people recognized the guys and stopped to ask for autographs and pictures. Nick and Kevin did their best to oblige with a smile, but it was easy to see they were forcing it. Thankfully, no one mentioned their current predicament.


Taylor's flight arrived on time and the three were there to greet her as she came off the plane. Jamie walked toward her friend. "Hey Tails, déjà vu. Didn't we just do this a few days ago?"


"Um, yeah, I guess so."


"Bad flight?" Kevin asked.


"Yeah, just really tired," Taylor said quietly. "You guys mind if we just go back to the house so I can nap, or else I'm gonna be very grumpy tonight."


Nick was getting bold with his new found friend. "And that would be different from every other day how exactly?"


Taylor just glared at him. "Not in the mood Carter, but thanks for playing."


"Whoa," Nick and Kevin both said under their breath, and started to walk ahead.


Jamie put an arm out in front of Taylor to stop her from following the guys. "Taylor, are you okay?"


"Yeah, Heads, I'm fine. Just glad to be back here."


"So Mike was in a really good mood when you got home, eh?"


"I didn't want to talk about it the other day, and I don't want to talk about it now, okay Jaim?" Taylor's voice rose sharply at the end, as she started to follow the guys.


Jamie reached out and grabbed Taylor by the arm. Taylor winced painfully and quickly drew in a breath. Jamie looked over at Taylor, who quickly schooled her features into a passive expression. "Taylor, this has to stop now and you know it." Taylor just looked over at Jamie with a mournful expression, and Jamie sighed.


"Listen Tails, I'm your best friend, and I care about you damnit. I'll drop it for now, but your being upset is going to affect this case if you keep going this way and I won't drop it when that happens. Okay?"


"I won't let that happen. I promise, I know how much this means to you, trust me, I'm here for you."


"It's not just me, it's the two of them too. Remember that."


"Trust me, I'm not going to forget that," said Taylor, lifting her eyes to look at Nick, who had stopped to wait for them.


Taylor sighed, "Sorry, I told you the flight was bad. I don't mean to be this way, and you always get the brunt of my bad moods. Why do you put up with me?"


"Cause I love you, you bitch. Get it through your thick skull and move on." The girls laughed and tried to catch up with Kevin and Nick who were getting Taylor's bags from the carousel.


The foursome drove back to Kevin's house. Taylor went to take a nap while Kevin, Nick and Jamie relaxed in the living room. It was almost five o'clock when the doorbell rang.


"I'll get it, I'm up," Nick called as he walked out of the kitchen from getting a soda.


He opened the door to find a police officer standing there. "Mr. Richardson?"


"Umm, no."


"Mr. Carter?"


"Umm, yes."


The officer handed him a large envelope. "This is for you. Is Mr. Richardson at home?"


"Yeah, hang on." Nick turned to yell for Kevin just as he walked up behind Nick.


"Nick, who is. . ." Kevin stopped when he saw the officer.


"Mr. Richardson?"


Kevin just nodded and the officer handed him a similar envelope to the one Nick was holding. The officer tipped his hat slightly and said, "Have a nice day gentlemen" as he turned back to his squad car.


The guys just stood there for a moment trying to breathe again. They looked down at the envelopes then back at each other. Nick said softly, "Kev, we are so dead, aren't we?"


Kevin gulped and said, "Oh yes, my friend, we are." The two of them just stood there, afraid to move, until Jamie called to them from the living room.


"Who was at the door?" She said wearily, stretching from her short cat nap. The guys walked very slowly back into the room.


They looked at each other and Kevin opened his envelope and pulled out several long sheets of paper. He started reading to himself and then looked up at Jamie.


"Baby, please don't be mad at us. . ."


Jamie looked very puzzled as Kevin handed her the contents of the envelope. She took them and started reading, then flipped the pages hurriedly.


A moment later she looked up at Kevin and Nick, "Kevin, this is a restraining order! I can't believe you two. What in the hell were you thinking??"


Kevin sat down next to her gingerly. "Jamie, calm down, please." It was to no avail, however, as her face became flushed as her anger rose.


"You two must be nuts. Why the hell did you go see Molly? What did you think that would solve? Huh? Answer me!" By this time Jamie was yelling loudly at both of them. "We leave you for 48 hours and you just had to go and do something stupid didn't you?"


Taylor walked sleepily down the stairs and into the living room to find Jamie pacing around the room yelling random obscenities as the guys just sat nervously on the couch watching her.


"Whoa, hey hey, stop! What's going on here, Heads?"


"Guess what Genius #1 and Genius #2 did while we were gone?"


Taylor giggled at the names but the laughter died seeing how serious Jamie was being.


"They went to see Molly! And now she has a restraining order against them." Jamie turned to Nick and Kevin and started yelling more obscenities.


"Hold up Jamie. Calm down. I'm the psycho one around here, remember? It's my job to yell and scream at them." Taylor walked over to Jamie and took the papers from her hand. She glanced through them as she sat down. Jamie stopped yelling but she was still pacing around the living room.


"Nick," Taylor said without even looking up, "go get Jamie a drink – a strong one."


Nick stood up slowly and went to the kitchen, walking backwards and keeping one eye on Jamie fearfully.


Jamie glared at Taylor who finally looked up at her. "Hey Nick – make it two. . . Jamie, it's not that bad. I mean it's bad, this isn't a good look for the judge. But we can work around it."


Jamie took a deep breath as Nick came back with two drinks, handing one to Jamie. "Whatever. I still want to know why the hell you guys did this?"


Taylor took her drink from Nick and sipped it, almost choking. "God Nick, are you trying to kill me?"


"But you said. . ."


"Don't listen to me. Didn't I tell you that already?" She laughed as she said this and then looked at Jamie. "Just relax Heads, we need to talk about this calmly."


Chapter 13 by old_archive


"Jamie, just sit down for a minute. Nick, give her your copy. I need you to read over this with me, Heads."


Jamie sat down on the end of sofa as Nick handed her his envelope. Reaching for the envelope she sipped her drink and then choked loudly. She scowled at Nick with an evil look on her face as Taylor struggled not to laugh at Nick and his what-did-I-do-now expression.


"What?" asked Nick, confused. "You said strong." Taylor shook her head.


"Guys, why don't you leave us alone for a bit," Taylor suggested to a very relieved Kevin and Nick. "Go get us some dinner or something, okay?"


"Yeah, sure," Kevin said as he pulled Nick up off the couch with him. "What are you guys in the mood for?"


Taylor perked up, "I could really go for some Sushi!"


Jamie gave Taylor a disgusted look and said, "Mexican."


The guys looked at each other and at the same time said, "We'll get both," as they headed out the door.


Jamie waited until she heard the car doors slam and looked over at Taylor. "This could really hurt their case, couldn't it?" she asked with a small voice.


"It's really not that bad Jamie. I know that you are worried about this whole thing and I'm not going to lie and say it is open and shut, but you can't go flying off like that. The guys need to feel confident about this."


Jamie sighed heavily, tentatively sipping on her drink again. "Taylor, I don't know what I would do if Kevin went to prison. I can't even begin to imagine. . ."


Taylor broke in, "Hey, don't think about that right now. We're gonna do everything we can to make sure that doesn't happen, okay?" Taylor went to sit on the couch with Jamie placing an arm over her shoulder and hugging her. "But you have to calm down too."


Jamie sighed again, "This case is bringing out some demons for all of us isn't it, Tails."


"That it is, my friend, that it is."


The two women continued talking and reading through the restraining order to try get the details of what happened. Unfortunately for the guys, in a case like this, it didn't take much for Molly to convince the judge to issue a restraining order. There weren't many specifics in the order, just a statement alleging that the guys had gone to Molly's house and that she was now 'fearful of her safety and well-being.'


"Oh great," said Jamie sarcastically. "That’s all it takes these days, apparently. Scared, pissed off? Get a restraining order, they’re giving them out like Halloween candy."


Taylor understood Jamie exactly, "I know, I know. When I was a prosecutor, I never used to think about that, I just knew I could get one. Now, though. . ."


"Now though, the shoe is on the other foot."


"Yeah, and boy does it suck."


"You can say that again."


"Boy, does it suck." Jamie narrowed her eyes and pushed up the left side of her mouth, but Taylor was grinning, and Jamie couldn't do anything in response but laugh. Their laughter turned uncontrollable, and Jamie and Taylor both laughed until they cried.


"Feel better?" asked Taylor, wiping tears from her eyes with the backs of her hands.


"No, not really, but thanks."


"No problem. Try to take it easy on them will you?"


"I can't promise you that, but I'll try," said Jamie. Taylor nodded, and they went back to work.


The guys came back about an hour later with loads of food. After Taylor informed them it was safe, they all sprawled out in the living room and ate in relative silence. Finally everyone leaned back with a very content look on their face. Although Jamie was much calmer now, there was still a bit of tension in the room.


Kevin spoke softly, "Jamie, honey, I am really sorry."


"Please don't apologize right now, Kevin, I don't really want to hear it." Jamie closed her eyes and leaned back. "I just don't understand why you did it."


"Can I at least try to explain?" He looked over at Jamie who opened her eyes and sighed again without saying a word. "It makes no sense to me, to us," Kevin said looking over at Nick, "that we have no clue who this girl is and she can say and do all of these things to us and about us. She has control over our future and we can't do anything about it. It's the epitome of frustration."


Everyone was looking at Kevin now and even Jamie had a bit of understanding in her eyes.


"I guess I just wanted to talk to her and maybe get a glimpse, just a hint of why she was doing this. I swear I was just trying to understand why this is happening. I have no idea what I really expected to happen, or even what I wanted to hear from her."


Taylor spoke up, "Okay, Kevin, we can understand that. But did you really think talking to her would accomplish anything?"


"I don't know. I realize it wasn't the brightest idea I've ever had but I can't help feeling like this is all just a bad dream and that maybe if we talked to her we'd wake up."


Jamie just sat there staring off into space, lost in her thoughts, as Taylor kept talking. "Well, aside from the fact that the judge probably thinks you're a dumbass, I doubt it will really hurt the trial much. But don't think it they won’t try to bring it up, because they will."


"We're really sorry, honest," Nick said quietly.


"Yeah, I know. Just tell us exactly what happened, maybe we can find something worthwhile in this mess."


Nick started, "Well, Kevin said that he wanted to talk to her and eventually I agreed. I feel the same way he does, like this whole thing is outta control, it makes no sense. So we looked in your files and he found some paper with Molly's address on it. We drove out there last night."


Kevin picked up the story, "We knocked on the door and some girl answered, I don't think she recognized us at first because when we asked for Molly, she didn't really freak out or anything. She invited us into the living room and I guess she went to get her.


"Then this girl, it had to be Molly, comes into the living room and when she saw us she just freaked out. She had this deer-caught-in-a-headlight look at first, but then she started yelling and screaming at us to get out and leave her alone.


"I guess her friend or roommate or whatever finally realized who we were because she came out and started screaming right along with Molly. We just turned around and left. She didn't even give us a chance to explain anything."


Jamie finally broke in, "Do you blame her? What did you think her reaction was going to be, 'Yeah sure guys, come on in, can I get you a soda or something?' She is accusing you guys of raping her, and crazy or not, she has something against you guys."


Kevin raised his voice a little, "But it makes no sense."


"You keep saying that, Kevin. 'It makes no sense.'" Jamie was getting more agitated by the second. "No, it doesn't make any sense, none whatsoever, but the reality is that you guys are on trial for whatever she says you did, guilty or not, and going to see her isn't going to change that. Nothing can change that." Jamie got up with tears in her eyes and ran toward the stairs. "No one can change anything right now."


Kevin looked over at Taylor who signaled for him to let her go. "She’ll be fine Kevin, she just needs some time. It's not just the restraining order, it's this whole mess, she taking it pretty hard."


"I know and it's all my fault," said Kevin.


"No, it's not your fault Kevin, don't blame yourself." Taylor sighed and leaned back against the couch contemplating whether to try and explain a little about Jamie to the guys.


"I know you guys have been together for about a year, but, no offense to you Kevin, I doubt that you know Jamie as well as I do, and I can understand her mood swings a little better."


Kevin put a hand on his neck nervously and continued to listen to Taylor.


"Jamie has had a good life. Good parents, good family, good education, very secure and very stable. But with all of that stability comes some rose colored glasses."


Nick gave Taylor a slight look of confusion.


"Let's just say that Jamie hasn't had a lot of things go terribly wrong in her life. But on the other hand, she has never really had the chance to experience things like some people, emotionally speaking I guess. Your relationship scares her to death, Kevin."


He looked at her, surprised by that statement.


"She is experiencing feelings and emotions that she didn't know existed before you and she isn't quite sure about them yet. I mean, she is sure about her feelings for you, she just doesn't quite understand how to control them. She feels like her karmic credit card is maxed out, like her luck is going to run out and she'll lose you. That's what scares her the most."


"She's not going to lose me Taylor, she knows that."


"No she doesn't, Kevin," insisted Taylor. "That's a pitfall of being a lawyer, you realize that all of the confidence and smoke blowing and schmoozing doesn't guarantee squat inside the courtroom. She and I have learned that lesson all too well over the years. The truth can mean very little sometimes. That's what she knows."


Nick looked down at his hands as he spoke, "So what you’re saying is. . ."


"What I'm saying is that there are no guarantees. We are going to do our best and pray that it's enough. No promises though."


Kevin stood up, "I'm going to go try to talk to her."


Nick and Taylor just nodded as Kevin walked out of the room. They sat there silently for a while, then Nick spoke hesitantly.


"Taylor, there is one thing about going to see Molly though."


"What is that?"


"I kind of recognized her." Taylor looked up at Nick, surprised. "I mean, I still don't really remember much about her from the promotional thing, but she just seemed really familiar to me. Like I know I have seen her before."


"But you can't remember where you've seen her before?"


"No I can't." Nick's voice softened. "I didn't even tell Kevin this because I'm not sure if it's just my imagination or what, but damn I know I've seen her before, more than once."


"That's good Nick, really it is," Taylor leaned over and patted his hand. "Maybe some good will come out of your little stunt." They both giggled a little.


Taylor stood up stretching, "Tell you what, tomorrow morning we'll talk to Kevin and Jamie about this. Maybe we can get a private investigator to dig up something on Molly. You never know what she may be hiding beneath that 'stalkee/psycho' exterior of hers."


"Psycho is right." Nick stood up next to her. "Damn, she yelled louder than Jamie. I didn't think that was possible."


"Wow," was all Taylor managed to say as the two walked toward the stairs.


Chapter 14 by old_archive


Kevin walked into his bedroom to find Jamie curled up in the middle of the bed, face buried in a pillow and shaking. He sat on the edge of the bed, and gently reached out to touch her on the shoulder. At his touch, she jumped and her head came up. Kevin stared at her tear-streaked face, then closed his eyes as if in pain.


"Jamie," he said softly. "Baby. . ."


"Don't, Kevin. Just don't," she said, equally as softly. She turned her head away from him, and stared across the room. Jamie was still crying, and it tore him up to see her like this, and that she refused to let him near her.


"How can I help if you won't let me?" he asked.


"Don't you think you've done enough?" she replied, with a trace of anger in her voice.


"That's not the only thing bothering you, and we both know it. Please talk to me, Jaim."


She got up off the bed and wandered over to the window. Lifting the curtain, she stared outside, leaning her forehead against the glass. She was silent for a long time, and Kevin got the impression that she was waiting for him to leave the room. Kevin sighed, and finally walked over to the door. As he reached for the doorknob, he heard her say, "Kevin."


He let go of the handle and turned around. She was facing him now, but looking down at the floor.


"What, baby?" he asked gently.


She didn't answer him. He walked over to her, cupped her chin and forced her to look up at him. There was so much pain in her eyes, so much anger that it stunned him. "What," he repeated.


"How can you be so calm about this?" she asked. He was so relieved she spoke to him that he hugged her tightly. She accepted his embrace listlessly for a while, then her arms came up around his waist. He stroked her hair, then pulled away to look down at her.


"I'm not calm about this at all, Jaim. I just don't know what else to do, to be. I want all of this to go away, but it's not. It's getting worse, and I don't know what's going to happen next."


"So you're ignoring this, and letting the rest of us deal with it, is that it?" she said angrily in a low voice.


"No, that's not it. I just don't see the point in falling apart. I don't know what happened here. I don't know what happened to you. You were so strong when this all happened, at the hearing. Now it's like you've done a 180, and you're falling apart, getting angry at everything, snapping at everyone around you. You're almost a completely different person now, and I can't figure out what's going on. I thought you and I could deal with this on a rational level, and help Nick out, be strong for him since he hasn't been taking this well, but that's not happening. Nick is stronger than you are right now, and that bothers me a lot. You're also our lawyer, is this how you deal with all your cases? Can you even handle this right now?"


Jamie's head snapped up, and she looked as if Kevin just hit her. "You don't think I can handle this? You don't want me to be your attorney, is that it? You would rather Taylor do this alone?" She moved away from him, and retreated to the window.


"No! God, you're twisting this around. I'm asking you if you can do this. I need you, Jamie. I don't know how you can doubt that."


"It sounds like you don't need me, like you don't need anyone," she said bitterly. "Poor Kevin, accused of a crime he says he didn't do, and no one believes him, no one is willing to do anything for him, he's all alone."


Kevin felt like slamming his head into the wall in pure frustration. He sighed again instead.


"Jamie, listen to me. Nick and I did nothing to that girl and we have to prove that to everyone. I need you right now more than I have ever needed anyone in my life. I cannot do this by myself, I know that. I need your help to prove our innocence, and I need you to be the strong person you were five days ago. If you can't be that, if you can't help me, I need to know that too."


She turned away from him again, and stared out the window into the night. "I want to help you, but I don't know if I can be that person again, Kevin," she said in such a low voice that he strained to make out her words.


"Why, Jamie? What happened?" he asked. "Do you not believe me anymore?"


Her head whipped around. "I still believe you, I have never stopped believing in you and Nick. It's just. . ." her voice trailed off as she choked on a sob.


He came to her, "It's just what, Jamie?" She shook her head, and he reached out for her and pulled her into an embrace. "It's just what, baby?"


"You're going to leave me, and I can't deal with that," she said softly, and started crying again.


Kevin was stunned by that statement. Taylor had been right and at the time he discounted what she had said. But now he saw he should have paid closer attention to what Taylor was trying to say about Jamie.


"I'm not leaving you, now or ever, Jamie. I love you, and I could never do that to you."


"You don't understand, Kevin. You are going to leave, and there's nothing any of us can do about it."


"What's going on? Why do you keep saying that?"


She was silent for a while, then said, "Have you seen the newspapers at all, or watched the news?"


He shook his head no, and she said, "Well I have, Kev. It's not good. For whatever reason, no one believes you two are innocent."


"You do, and Taylor and the other fellas. That's all that counts, Jaim, and you'll be able to prove to all those others that we are innocent."


"No, it's not all that counts. You really don't understand. It's not just Orlando anymore. When I went home, people were talking about it. Kevin, this is national news now, and they all believe you did it. I couldn't even be in my office without hearing clerks and secretaries talking about you. They know about us, and you can't imagine the looks I got in the two days I was at home, like everyone felt sorry for me. The five of you sometimes come off as too perfect, and this is the result. You wanted an image change, Kevin, well you got one. But I don't think it's the one you wanted."


"It can't be all that bad, Jamie. You and Taylor –"


"Taylor and I will watch them handcuff you and Nick and we will watch them lead you out of court to prison!" Jamie was starting to become hysterical again. His grip on her tightened, but she wasn't comforted by it.


"No, that's not going to happen. That's just idle talk from people who don't know any better."


"Kevin, listen to me," Jamie said desperately. "Those people who don't know any better, who don't believe your innocence," she pointed out the window, "those people out there are your jury. They will sit in judgment, Kevin, in judgment of you. They will be in that courtroom, and they will decide your fate. You didn't like that Molly could do this to you, well twelve more people you don't know are going to do it to you also. You have no control, and neither does Nick, or Taylor or me. We can tell them you are innocent until we are all blue in the face, but the point is it doesn't matter. Those people out there have made up their minds, and they are going to take you away from me. So don't stand there and tell me everything will be fine, because it won't."


There was nothing Kevin could say to that, because he was speechless. Jamie was wound around him with a death grip on him as if this was the last time she would ever hold him, and he couldn't do or say anything to calm her fears, to make it all right. For the first time, he began to seriously doubt that this would turn out the way he expected, that he and Nick would be found innocent.


Kevin finally found his voice. "What are we going to do then, Jamie?"


She looked up at him with a sorrowful expression, "I don't know, Kevin. I just don't know."


The couple crawled into bed and held onto each other as if it were the end of the world. Together, they cried themselves to sleep.





Taylor was up early the next morning. She was sitting at the kitchen table with her coffee and a newspaper when Kevin stumbled downstairs yawning.


Peering over her paper at Kevin, Taylor spoke, "Coffee's made."


"Thanks, I need a gallon or so. . ." he replied sleepily.


"Not a morning person, eh?"


"Not exactly, and I didn't sleep very well which doesn't help me any." Kevin got his coffee and sat down at the table. "Jamie was a little whacked out last night."


Taylor folded the paper and put it down. "Somehow I figured she might be, is she okay now?"


"I don't know." Kevin replied, staring down at his cup, "we didn't exactly resolve anything last night, she was just too upset. I’m not sure I know what to do Taylor."


"Well, there isn't really much you can do Kevin." She placed her hand on his and he looked up at her. "Just make sure she knows that you love her, that's a start."


"I hope that's enough."


"It will be, for now," said Taylor soothingly.


"Maybe we need some time away, or at least alone with each other. It just seems like everything reminds us of what is going on."


"I know, I think we all need a break from reality. Even if only for a minute."


Kevin and Taylor heard noises upstairs and guessed that the other two were awake now. A few minutes later they were all sitting quietly in the kitchen drinking coffee.


Taylor broke the silence. "Nick and I had an idea last night," she paused as the others looked at her, "maybe we should get a private investigator to dig up some dirt on Molly."


"What do you think he's going to find, if anything?" Jamie said sarcastically.


"Who knows, but it couldn't hurt, maybe he'll find nothing, but we need to try something." Taylor saw so much sadness in her friend's eyes. She knew they all needed a little light at the end of the tunnel. "I have an old friend here that does this sort of thing. I'll call him and see what he can do."


Chapter 15 by old_archive


The four of them went out for a late lunch and the tension amongst them was obvious. Nick was thankful that Taylor had not revealed his recollection of Molly to either Kevin or Jamie; he didn't want Kevin to know he remembered anything. Nick wanted to get away and he sensed that Jamie and Kevin needed some time alone as well. At his suggestion, Nick and Taylor were going to drive to Tampa and spend the night at his house, leaving Jamie and Kevin to try and sort things out.





The quiet hum of the engine was the only sound that could be heard inside Nick's car. Taylor tried to stretch a little, feeling the tension in the air as much as her neck.


"What are you thinking about?" Taylor softly asked Nick.


"More things than I really want to right now. . ." he said. "I just don't understand why this crap is happening."


"We're going to do everything we can, trust me Nick," Taylor said, trying to console him.


"I know, I know, but it just seems like nothing is going right." He began to talk more to himself than to Taylor, "The new album isn’t getting finished, our management is freaked out, Jamie and Kevin. . . I don't even know where to begin there, and then there's everything else. I just don't feel like I have anything that is grounding me right now, you know what I mean?"


"Yeah, I know, I've been feeling like that lately myself. Like you just have no control over anything, no comfort zone." With a nod of agreement from Nick, she continued, "My work used to keep me in control, but even that doesn't seem like enough these days. I guess there are some things that just aren’t working in my life."


"Like things with Mike?" he asked softly.


"Yes, like things with Mike."


"So what is the story with that," Nick questioned. "You really didn't tell me much the other night. All I know is that you don't seem happy with him."


"I don't think I want to talk about this," she snapped back at him.


"Oh, sorry, didn't mean to step on any emotional toes, Miss I-Have-Everything-Under-Control," he replied, not even trying to hide the sarcasm.


Taylor got angry, "You don't know anything about it, Nick, and you have no right to. . ."


"No right to what? To maybe give a damn, to listen? To try to make conversation? What? Getting arrested took away all my rights? Well excuse me, nobody bothered to tell me that."


When he finished, there was silence again. Nick did not understand where her anger came from. This woman confused him a lot. She was so strong and intelligent, and yet there was something that was controlling her on the inside. It was almost as if she were afraid to let go of the part that was hurting because it was giving her strength.


"Damnit, women suck sometimes, I just don't get it," he thought to himself. "She is my attorney, that's all, her personal issues are her problem, not mine. Remember that, Carter, you’re in enough trouble as it is."


As Nick's car pulled slowly up the drive, Taylor caught herself staring wide eyed at the most beautiful little house. It was a small two story colonial with beautiful white columns and a porch on the second floor that went all the way around the house. There were no neighbors really, just the little house sitting back away from the street with the beach for a backyard.


"Here's the key, go on in, I'll get your stuff," Nick said, handing her the key ring and popping the trunk to get the bags.


Taylor didn't argue, she took the keys and walked slowly towards the door. She turned the key and walked into the foyer. She giggled to herself this time, not so much in awe of the house, just surprised that it was a beautiful as it was. "He is only nineteen or whatever, and he already has money and taste," she laughed softly to herself. "How did that happen?"


She was still standing there when he got to the door with an overnight bag in each hand.


"You can go on into the living room, just to your right." He motioned toward the room, as much as he could with the bags. "I'll put these upstairs and be right back."


Taylor leaned into the room and started to look for a light switch. All she saw however was the moon glow casting shadows and silhouettes around the room. Two large bay windows faced the beach and the moon was shining brightly through very sheer drapes. She walked over to the windows and just stood there.


"What is wrong with me?" She thought to herself. "Why can't I just let go, why can't I just. . ."


"I love this room at night," Nick said softly as he walked up behind her. "The moon, the beach, what more could you ask for?"


She turned towards the sofa, quietly replying, "Yeah, I guess so."


"Can I get you anything? Soda, water, tequila shots?" Nick giggled, trying to break the tension any way he could.


"The last one doesn't sound half bad," she said with a not so joking tone, then cracking a small smile.


Nick held his hand out to her, "Come on, I'll show you around so you can make yourself at home a little more."


She took his hand and let him guide her on a quick tour of the house. It was nice and comfortable, more laid back than Kevin's house. When they got back to the living room, Nick motioned for Taylor to sit back on the couch.


"Still want that drink?"


"Actually, maybe just some wine or something?" she sighed as she said it, knowing that while it wasn't such a good idea, it wasn't such a bad one either.


Nick brought back two glasses and a bottle of white wine. They just sat there for a while, both staring out the window, sipping their wine, lost in their own thoughts.


"I'm uh. . . I'm sorry if I crossed some sort of line back there in the car. I really didn't mean to," Nick said finally. "Guess I was just trying to get my mind off some things."


"That's okay, I can be, um. . . shall we say, a little testy at times?" Taylor said with a small laugh.


"You? No, really? I never would have guessed," he laughed back.


With that they started over. Again. A new conversation, a new light heartedness between them. They finished the bottle of wine and sprawled out on the sofa facing each other. They lay there quietly for a while before Nick again broke the silence.


"You deserve better, you know that, don't you?"


"What?"


"I don't know the whole story and I don't need to know it," he sighed. "But if you are half as amazing as I think you are, then I know that you deserve better than what you have right now."


Taylor didn't say anything, she just sat up and stared out the window. His words cut into her more than she wanted them to. Denial was a way out for her, it had always been her way out and she didn't know if she was up to changing that, at least not now.


She didn't really notice when Nick sat up and leaned over her, she only turned to look at him just as he brought his hand up to smooth her cheek. Taylor turned her eyes to look at Nick. His face was so sweet, so innocent, so unlike what she was accustomed to. His crystal blue eyes gazed at her sweetly, no malice, no lust, no pain, just caring. She felt his hand wipe away a tear from her cheek and she sniffled as she laid her head onto his chest.


"It's okay to cry Taylor, it's okay," he whispered softly into her hair. Nick held her close for a minute and then loosened up and leaned back to look at her.


She looked up at him with puffy eyes and once again he smoothed away a tear, then cupped her face in his hands.


He slowly leaned into her and brushed his lips on hers, and when she didn't fight it, he leaned in again. Softly his lips parted and he ran his tongue along the outline of her lips. She kissed his tongue lightly and parted her lips for him. His tongue grazed the inside of her lips and patiently waited for her tongue to meet his. She gave in to the sensation and met his tongue with hers, slowly moving around him and reaching for his lips.


Taylor felt lost. Her fear was gone, but panic set in about what was happening at that moment.


"Nick," she quickly pulled away. "This isn't right. I, uh, I. . . can't do this," she almost mumbled the last part as she got up from the sofa.


He looked at her sternly but she didn't have the strength to return the look.


"I think I need to go to sleep. I'm, uh, I’m just tired," she said sorrowfully, turning to leave the room.


Nick reached for her arm and wrapped his hand around it to keep her there. He spoke softly to her, pleadingly, "If there is one thing I have learned about life, it is that it doesn't give you anything worthwhile unless you fight for it."


She paused for a moment, hung her head down and walked out of the room and up the stairs to her bedroom. She changed into her pajamas and tried to sleep but tossing and turning was all she could manage. Taylor had heard his footsteps on the stairs a while back. She had heard them stop at her door, but then go on to the room next to hers. She heard his door close quietly, and she sighed.


Just what was she so afraid of? What was controlling her? Was this boy the cure for her problem or was he just a quick fix? Or worse yet, could he be just another problem? She tossed around some more, then sat on the edge of the bed with her head in her hands. "What is wrong with me?" she thought to herself. "Am I nuts or is everybody around me crazy?"


She walked to the door, quietly turned the knob and stepped out into the hall. She stared at his door for a minute and then knocked a little louder than she really wanted to.


"Come in. . ." she heard a sleepy voice say.


She opened the door and stared right at Nick, so angelic lying in his bed with pillows all around him. "I, um, I. . . I wanted to say I'm sorry."


"We seem to be doing a lot of that lately, don't we," he smiled a little as he said it. "Can't sleep either?"


"Not really," she managed to reply. "I also, um, wanted to say that you were right."


"About what?"


She walked over to the bed and leaned down to him, quickly taking his mouth to hers. He didn't pull away, he just reached up and took her face in his hands, kissing her more passionately. She pulled away briefly.


She whispered, "I deserve much better than what I have."


He looked up at her and ran his fingers across her lips. "And don't forget to fight for what you want, Taylor."


With that they reached in for another kiss as Nick lifted her up onto the bed. His hands ran along the lines of her neck and shoulders as their kiss deepened. She pushed him back a little and he pulled her on top of him. His hands gracefully ran along her chest and started to unbutton her pajama top. She stopped him, grabbing his hands forcefully and holding them to his sides. Leaning in close to his mouth she licked the edges of his lips and said, "No, not yet, this is for you."


Taylor slowly slid her body down Nick's chest, moving the blanket down with her. Her tongue traced a path down the middle of Nick's body slowly leaving wet kisses along the way. When she reached the top of his boxers, she stopped and looked up at him. He had a sly smile on his lips but the child like innocence was still in his eyes. Slowly her tongue ran between Nick’s boxers and his skin, teasing him by not moving lower. Her hands massaged his thighs and grazed a little higher into his boxers. She could see the excitement growing and obligingly lowered his shorts with her teeth and her fingers.


Nick slid out of his boxers and settled back down onto the pillows, then he reached for one of Taylor's hands. He brought her hand to his lips and softly kissed each finger. Taylor let Nick keep kissing the fingers on her hand while her other hand lay gently on the soft skin just below his waist. Teasingly, her thumb slid down and grazed his shaft, scraping it lightly. Nick let out a soft moan and gently took Taylor's index finger in his mouth. Slowly he suckled her finger, running his tongue around and around.


Now it was Taylor's turn to moan a little, but she refocused and slowly leaned down, her tongue touching the tip and licking it softly. Nick let go of her hand and she brought it down with the other one laying both gently at the base of his shaft. Confidently she licked the head slowly, around and around, her hands gently massaging his hips and the tops of his thighs. Her tongue languished its way up and down the shaft, paying special attention to the soft skin on the inside just below the head. Nick's eyes were closed and he started to tense up, letting out a low growl. She held his hips tightly and took as much of him into her mouth as she could. She found a slow, strong pace and kept it while he carefully tried to move with her. His hands grabbed at the sheets as the tension built slowly but surely.


Sucking forcefully, she pulled her lips off of him and slid her hands so that her fingers were pressing on the soft skin just below the base of the shaft. She gently massaged the skin, then once again took him in her mouth. This was more than Nick could handle as his entire body tensed up and he let out something resembling a scream. Taylor was there and felt the warm syrup flow into her throat. She slowly slid her lips off of him and brushed the tops of his thighs with her hands.


When Nick opened his eyes, he had a beautiful grin on his lips. He reached down and tried to pull Taylor up to him. She resisted and got up off of the bed.


"What. . . what’s wrong?" he pleaded. "Taylor. . .?"


"Nick, I, um, I don't know," she stammered shamefully. "This was wrong. I don't know what I was thinking. I guess I just wanted to thank you." With that Taylor hurried out of the room, slamming the door behind her.


"Thank me? For what?" Nick didn't have a clue what Taylor was thinking and he felt very guilty for what just happened. "How can I keep doing this to her, she doesn't deserve this." He was very confused, his mind cluttered and distraught as he fell into a fitful sleep. He wasn't the only one who was confused though, as Taylor lay in the next room huddled under the covers, crying herself to sleep.


Chapter 16 by old_archive


Taylor and Nick hadn't left yet for Nick's house when Kevin put his plan to be alone with Jamie away from everything into action.


"Jaim, go pack a bag for tonight."


"What?" she asked, "Why?"


"Nope," he shook his head, "No questions, just trust me. And make sure you have a swimsuit with you." Jamie looked at Kevin curiously, but when he sat back on the couch and said nothing more, she shrugged her shoulders and left the room to do as he asked.


Once everything was packed, Jamie and Kevin got into his truck and started driving. Jamie noticed they were headed south towards the Gulf coast. She asked him once where they were headed, but Kevin refused to answer.


About an hour and a half later, Kevin pulled into the driveway of a large beach house. There were other houses visible, but none were too close to the house. They got out, Kevin produced a key for the house, and opened the door.


"I had no idea you had a beach house, Kev," said Jamie as she walked inside.


He smiled mysteriously, "I don't."


"Whose is this then? Nick's? AJ's?"


"Nope, doesn't belong to any of the fellas. And you aren't allowed to mention them at all, I'm not a Backstreet Boy tonight, and I don't know any of them. I'm just Kevin, and you are just Jamie. No titles, no names, no nothing. Just you and me, and dinner and the beach. Got it?"


"Okay," she agreed, "But please tell me whose house this is. I really want to know."


He gave a mock exasperated look, "All right, if you must know, it belongs to a producer friend of mine. I talked to him this morning while we all split up, and I made arrangements to have it for tonight and tomorrow. Satisfied now?"


She threw her arms around his waist and smiled up at him, "Not at the moment, but I'm sure you can change that." Kevin was surprised at first but then hugged her back. This was his Jamie, and he was glad to see that she had returned to more like her normal self.


"I can, starting with dinner. I'm going to see if Rick did me the favor I asked of him, and you can get settled in, and then see if there is a bottle of wine to be opened, okay?" He hugged her again, kissed her gently, then released her. Jamie picked up the two backpacks, and wandered through the house to find the bedroom.


The house looked exactly like what Jamie thought a proper beach house should look like. Large and airy, each room had a hardwood floor, and furniture made of light wood with comfortable plump white cushions or glass. The rooms were also sparsely decorated because the large windows with white gauze-like curtains gave the rooms all the decoration they needed – a wonderful view of the beach and the Gulf. A wooden deck wound around most of the house, so each room had at least one balcony entrance.


Jamie found the bedroom, dropped the backpacks in one corner and opened the balcony door. Stepping out onto the deck, she leaned on the railing and looked out over the Gulf of Mexico. Sunset wasn't for another hour or so, but the sky was already slowly turning from bright blue to a darker blue, mixed in with crimson and orange and yellow. A few seagulls were overhead, and Jamie could make out a few boats out on the horizon enjoying the perfect sailing weather. She closed her eyes, took several large deep breaths of warm, salty ocean air, and tried to relax. She knew Kevin had gone to a lot of trouble to plan tonight out for them. Jamie vowed to herself that she was not going to spoil it by acting like the bitchy, scared little girl she had been since she returned from Cincinnati. She opened her eyes, stared out to the horizon once more, then went back into the bedroom.


Pulling her hair up into a ponytail, Jamie quickly changed into a navy blue and white swimsuit, tied a sheer white sarong around her hips, slipped into comfortable navy and white sandals, and headed back towards the kitchen. Kevin was standing by the island in the middle of the kitchen, slicing up meat and vegetables.


"Where's the wine, darlin'?" asked Jamie. Kevin looked up from his task, looked her up and down very appreciatively, raised his eyebrows once and said, "Jamie, there's no need for wine, I'm already drunk from looking at you."


Jamie gave him a amused look and said, "I hope you never ever use that cheesy line again. God, who'd you get that from, AJ? Please tell me that never works for him."


"Who is AJ?" said Kevin with a puzzled look on his face. Jamie rolled her eyes, and said, "Kevin. . ."


"I told you, we're not talking about them tonight. It's just you and me, okay?" When she nodded her head, he smiled and added, "But no, actually it is Howie's line and it never works for him either." They started laughing together, and Jamie pulled a bottle of chardonnay out of the refrigerator, and began to open it. Handing Kevin a glass of wine, she wandered over to a side counter, pulled herself up onto it and watched him make dinner. She finally noticed that he had turned the stereo in the living room on, and that an Eagles CD was playing softly in the background.


While Kevin made dinner, a beef and chicken stir-fry, they drank their chardonnay, talked, and made jokes about ordinary things. Any tension that had been there in the previous two days had not accompanied them on the trip to the beach house, something for which Kevin was very grateful. He had no idea what would have happened if Jamie hadn't trusted him enough to come here and leave their problems behind in Orlando.


Jamie looked and felt as happy as she had been when she first arrived in Florida, before everything had gone wrong. She could almost believe that Kevin hadn't been arrested and he was not about to be on trial in a week, almost. Jamie pushed the thought firmly to the back of her mind, and told herself to just enjoy the evening alone with Kevin.


Jamie heard a coughing sound. She looked up to find Kevin standing in front of her, his hands lightly on her thighs, and looking at her with an amused and contented look.


"What?" she asked.


"I've been standing here for a couple of minutes now and you didn't even notice until just now. And I can almost see the wheels turning in your mind. What were you thinking about?"


Since she didn't want to spoil the mood, she replied, "Oh, nothing much. Just wondering what else you have planned for me tonight. Besides a burnt dinner, that is."


"What? Oh no!" He whipped around quickly and went over to the stove. Flipping meat and vegetables around in the skillet, he rescued the food.


"I think it's done now anyway," he said sheepishly, while Jamie laughed. "Next time don't distract me."


"Uh, I didn't distract you, and next time we let Taylor cook, how's that? She's an awesome cook." He nodded, and divided the meal between two plates before bringing it out to the dining room table. They ate slowly, finishing the bottle of wine and talking about random things.


Jamie finally leaned back, "Not bad, Richardson, even if it was slightly crispy. Had no idea you can cook." He grinned.


"I can make a few things, but I'd be better at it if I had more chances to cook. But there are a few other little things in my life that seem to take priority."


"Hmm, let me guess what they are. . . sumo wrestling?"


"Uh, yeah, that's it," he laughed and rolled his eyes, "That's me all right, Kevin the sumo wrestler."


"Well you did say that I can't talk about. . ."


"I know, I know," he cut her off quickly. "So, you want dessert?"


She perked up, "Dessert? Did somebody say my favorite word?"


Laughing, he went into the kitchen, and returned with a Boston Creme Pie. He set it in the middle of the table with a flourish, while Jamie oohed and ahhed. They scarfed down half of the pie before deciding they were full.


Jamie cleared the dishes while Kevin disappeared into the bedroom. He came back a short while later, dressed in black swim trunks and a black button down shirt which he hadn't bothered to button at all, and carrying a couple of blankets. He told her to worry about the dishes later, because they had the end of a sunset to catch.


Opening the balcony door in the dining room, they stepped out onto the deck and made their way down to the beach. Kevin walked down close to the edge, and laid the larger of the blankets out on the sand. He sat down, and pulled Jamie down so that she was sitting in between his legs and leaning up against his chest. He wrapped his arms around her, she folded her arms over his, and the two of them silently watched the last of the sunset.


As the sun finally disappeared over the water, and darkness began to settle over the beach, Kevin leaned forward slightly, and began kissing Jamie on the side of her neck. She shivered once, then turned enough that she could kiss him in return. They sat there like that for a while, holding on to one another and kissing when Kevin finally pulled back and grinned at Jamie.


"What? I don't think I like the look in your eyes. . . Kevin, no, wait, don't. . . Kevin. . . ahhhh!" He had pulled her up to a standing position, then picked her up, ran down to the water's edge and tossed her into the Gulf. Jamie surfaced, glaring at Kevin, who still stood by the edge of the water, laughing.


"You think that's funny huh?" She came charging out of the water. Kevin turned and ran down the beach. She chased him, caught up to him, and tripped him so he landed face down in the sand. Unfortunately for Kevin, he had run closer to the water. As he laid there a large wave washed over the beach, drenching him and Jamie, who had fallen next to him. Now completely wet, Kevin decided that a swim wasn't such a bad thing after all, so he carried Jamie into the water and the two of them played in the surf, each trying to dunk the other.


Eventually the two crawled out of the water and dropped back down on the blanket. Kevin had also brought out towels so they dried themselves off as best they could. The air had gotten slightly colder and being in the water didn't help, so they took the other blanket and pulled it over themselves as they laid there on the beach. Kevin folded the towels up so he could use them as a pillow, and Jamie laid with her head on his shoulder and stared up at the night sky.


He bent down and kissed her, "I love you."


"I love you too, Kevin," she replied.


"Do you know that's the first time in days you've said that to me? I was beginning to wonder, Jaim," he said. She shook her head, "No, I've told you that."


"Not so I could hear you."


"I'm sorry, darlin'." She thought back over the previous couple of days, "I guess I thought I did. I know you've said it often enough. Guess I have been acting a little crazy lately."


"You could say that." He cupped her face and looked into her eyes. "I know I said we weren't going to talk about anything that's been happening lately, but I think we need to."


She shifted slightly, and sighed, "Yeah, I know. I'm sorry for the way I've been since I came back from Cincy."


"It's okay, baby."


"No, it's not," she insisted. "You are going through a rough time, and I haven't been supporting you nearly as well as I should."


"I'm really not going to disagree with that."


"I think I should explain, now that I think I know why I've been acting like this."


"Okay, what's your explanation."


Jamie sat up, clasped her arms around her drawn up knees, and stared out over the water. Kevin sat up as well, and put an arm around her shoulders. She drew a deep breath and began.


"The easiest explanation is that everything in my life can be put in one of two places. It's either personal or professional, and the two never mix. Until now.


"Professionally, I am very strong, capable and mature. I have to be for the type of clientele I have, otherwise I'd lose my case load. There is no room for anything other than strength and confidence, and for those clients I can do that. And at first, I thought I could do that for you. I thought I could handle this as just another case. I realize now that I was wrong about that.


"The difference is that it's both personal and professional for me. Don't misunderstand, I care about all my cases, but the outcomes never affect me personally. I mean, if I don't win, I feel badly for my client, but it doesn't mean the same to me as it does to the client. The decision affects them directly, and me only indirectly. And it has to be that way. If I cared deeply for every client and let it affect me, I would be useless as an attorney after my third or fourth case. So professionally, the outcome of a case doesn't get to me. It can't.


"But this is different. The outcome does affect me directly. If we lose, we lose everything. Your freedom, our future, everything. I never took into account how closely I was tied to all this. I thought I could handle it all. I know differently now. It's now more personal than professional, and that's my problem."


Jamie stopped and looked at Kevin. His arm around her tightened and he gave her a quick hug. She let go of her knees to hug him back. She held on for a minute, then loosened her hold on him. She looked back out over the water again before speaking.


"The personal me has never been that confident or strong, not like the professional me. People who know both sides of me sometimes think it's bizarre that I can't handle my own life, but I can manage everyone else's really well. I don't know why I am like that; I've always been that way. I've learned to accept it, but I guess I've never actually dealt with it." She looked away from the water and up into his eyes. He gave her a small smile, to encourage her, and she weakly smiled back at him.


"Do you know that this is the first healthy relationship I've ever had? The first time I've actually looked to the future and seen one with someone, with you, in it? Things between us have been so wonderful that I've been afraid something would happen to ruin it. And now there has, this whole mess." She took another deep breath.


"I know I kept telling you and Nicky and everyone else that this will all work out, that Taylor and I will straighten this all out and everything will be fine. The professional side of me believes that, and has never stopped believing that. The personal me however, finds it a lot easier to believe the press and public opinion. I guess I don't have faith that it will all work out the way it should. I know that's wrong and completely unfair to you, and I'm sorry. Maybe it's better for me, for us right now, if I act like I'm 'Kevin's attorney' rather then 'Kevin's girlfriend.' I know you need me as both, but I don't know if I can do it. Not without blowing up again like I did last night. I'm sorry, Kevin, I don't know what else to do."


"Don't you think that's being a little too hard on yourself? You've never acted as if you weren't strong or confident before. Unless I've always been with the lawyer. . .?" She laughed weakly, and shook her head.


"No, it's always been me, not the lawyer. I guess I shouldn't say that I can only be one way or the other depending on what mode I'm in. That's too general. If I haven't handled one kind of case before, I'm not very confident. And there are times in my personal life where I have been in control and strong. You think I'm always that way, because you make me secure enough to be strong and stable. I probably should have warned you that I'm not always, eh?"


"You should know by now no one always acts one way. I certainly don't, and you know that and accept me for who I am. I accept that about you. I won't lie and say it didn't shock me though. Now that I know, I can learn to deal with it. I'm not going to change how I feel about you because of it, if that's what you're worried about. I still love you," said Kevin.


She gave him a real smile this time. "I know, and I love you. I guess I was afraid you wouldn't, because of what I thought you needed in a girlfriend."


"All I need right now is you, the rest can take care of itself later. I told you tonight is just you and me, and I mean it now. No more about what's been going on, okay?" She nodded.


He laid her back down onto the blanket, and followed her so that he was on top of her. He murmured, "I love you, Jamie." Her response was lost as he began kissing her. As their passion rose, everything else in the world became lost as they concentrated solely on each other and what felt right at that moment.


Chapter 17 by old_archive


The smell of coffee brewing woke Taylor up early the next morning. The sun shone through the sheer drapes in her room and flowed easily on the light comforter covering her bed. Her body ached as she slowly got out of bed and stretched. She went to the mirror and looked carefully at herself. Her face was sullen, her hair dull, and her eyes puffy. She lifted her shirt and gazed at the lightening bruises on her stomach and chest. They weren't sore anymore, just a fading reminder and nothing more. Sighing as she lowered her shirt, she decided to take a quick shower.


Half an hour later Taylor went downstairs and into the kitchen, unsure of what to expect from Nick after last night. She wasn't sure why she did it. She tried to find a reason but none came. It was an inexplicable attraction to this boy, something she couldn't resolve. Different thoughts ran through her mind. Nick was a client first, not to mention the fact that he was almost a decade younger then her. But there was something deep inside that was drawing her to Nick, telling her it was safe, telling her it was right. Her head, however, was telling her it was wrong. For now her head won, just as it always did, and she promised herself she was going to fight this attraction.


Surprised that Nick wasn't in the kitchen, she poured herself some coffee and decided to sit out on the porch with her cup. She sat down in a deck chair and stared out at the gulf, lost deep in her own thoughts.


It wasn't long before she felt a shadow come over the back of her chair. She turned around to see Nick standing there and watched as he moved around to sit in a chair opposite her own.


"Good morning. . ." he started.


"Morning. . ."


"I thought maybe later we could take the boat out or something?" Nick stared down at his feet as he spoke. "Picnic lunch or whatever."


"Shouldn't we be getting back soon?" Taylor said dryly, attempting to change the tone of the conversation.


"Well, Kevin said he wasn't planning on getting back until late tonight. He wanted more time to work things out with Jamie."


"Oh, well then. . .maybe. . ."


Nick reached over and lifted Taylor’s chin to look at him. "I think we need to talk about last night."


"No Nick," she spat out, throwing his hand away from her face, "I don't want to talk about it, really there is nothing to talk about. I was wrong, it was a mistake. I'm sorry, but you need to get over it."


"You know Taylor, you should get 'I don't want to talk about it' tattooed somewhere, it seems to be your favorite phrase."


Taylor looked at him, fuming. "What’s that supposed to mean?"


"Exactly what it sounds like. You know, some people actually say what they're thinking instead of hiding everything. By admitting it and saying you're sorry, you seem to think that it makes everything go away. That's not true Taylor and you know it." By this time he was pacing between the two chairs. "We felt something last night, something different. I don’t have a clue what it was, or what it is, but I do know that we need to try to sort this out, at least talk about it."


She laughed viciously, attempting to hide her fears that he was right. "You have no idea what you are talking about Nick, you're just a child."


"Oh really?" Nick looked at her, his blood boiling as well. "Well then doesn't that make you a pedophile? Or is what you did last night just standard procedure with all of your clients?"


He saw it coming but didn't flinch as her hand fell hard against his cheek.


"Fuck you Nick Carter," she said through gritted teeth as she turned to walk back into the house.


Nick yelled after her, "I would but I don't think I could afford the fee!"


Taylor flinched as she heard him but kept walking away, hoping he wouldn't see the real pain in her eyes.


As Taylor crawled back into her bed, she heard Nick rummaging around downstairs. Apparently, he was slamming doors and throwing things around. A few minutes later she heard the back door slam shut and then the faint sound of the boat engine starting.


"Well at least I won't have to face him for a while," she thought to herself.


Taylor decided that she needed to get a grip on herself. This little situation with Nick was spinning out of control and driving her crazy. "And all for what," she asked herself, "for some little blond pop-star kid?"


"I don't need this, I definitely don't need this," Taylor thought as she heard her cell phone ring and reached down in her bag to grab it.


"This is Taylor. . ." she said, clicking on the phone. "Yes?. . .Yeah Tom, that’s fine. . ." she said to her private investigator. "We’ll all be at Kevin’s house first thing in the morning. . . Did I give you that number?. . . Great. I really appreciate this Tom, thanks for everything. . . Yeah, I’ll talk to you in the morning."


Taylor grabbed a small notebook from her bag and started scribbling notes on the little bit that Tom had given her. This was what she needed, to refocus on the case. The trial was quickly approaching and she and Jamie had yet to map out a clear strategy. Forgetting about Nick as a person and focusing on him as a client was exactly what Taylor needed to do. Armed with a fresh game-plan and an old attitude, she grabbed her briefcase and went to Nick's office to work. "Finally, maybe there is something we can use at trial."





Nick let the boat drift aimlessly out to sea. He wanted to be as far away from Taylor as possible. What in the hell was going through her mind, he wondered. Something in her had closed off long ago which made her bitter, and for the life of him he couldn't figure out what it was. He had known this woman less than a week and she was already under his skin, driving him insane. She couldn't be worth it, no woman was worth this much anxiety.


Nick let the ocean and the warm sunlight calm him as he dropped anchor and laid down on the deck. His mind was reeling but he reconciled himself to not thinking about Taylor; he had more things to worry about right now.


He started thinking to himself, "What if. . .no. . . nah. . ." He stopped himself and looked for his cell phone. He stared at it for a minute before dialing what used to be a familiar number.


"Hi, its me. . .
"Yeah, I know I shouldn't be calling, but I just. . .
"Don't worry. . .no, it's not about that. . .I just wondered why you haven't. . .
"Are you sure?. . .
"I don't know what to think. . .I mean, it's just so. . .
"No, I'm fine, I guess. . .just nervous. . .okay. . .
"I won't call anymore. . .yeah, you too."

He closed his eyes as he flipped the phone off and put his head in his hands. He thought about all of things that happened recently and how things needed to be resolved quickly, before anything else blew up in his life. With a nervous sigh, he laid back down on the deck and fell asleep.





A couple hours later, Taylor had finished her trial outline. She was comfortable with it for now and any changes would be the result of Tom's information. She reached over to the phone and dialed Jamie's cell phone. Hearing the voice mail pick up, she left a message for Jamie that they needed to be back at Kevin's first thing in the morning. Tom was going to call with all of the information he gathered on Molly and then they needed to follow it up and finish preparing for trial.


She ended the message with, "Don't worry about me, I'll meet you all there."


Taylor organized all of her work, put it back into her briefcase, then went back to her room to pack.





It was late afternoon when Nick finally got back to the house. It was eerily quiet and he wondered for a second if Taylor was even still there.


His question was answered when he saw a note taped to the fridge:


Nick –


I'm making it easy on us, I rented a car and drove back to Orlando. I'll be in a hotel tonight and at Kevin's first thing in the morning. Already called Jamie and left a message for them to be there early, please do the same. The private investigator called and will give us his full report in the morning.


Taylor Brett,

your attorney (and nothing more)

"Damn she can be cold sometimes," he thought to himself. "I wonder how much that investigator found out. . ." Nick shivered a little at the thought and went to take a shower.


Nick dried his hair with a towel as he walked out of the bathroom to hear his phone ringing.


"Yeah. . ." he said, picking it up.


"Nick, it's Kev. . ."


"Hey Kev, what's up? How's things with you and Jamie?"


"Great, really, but listen, is Taylor there? Jamie got kind of a cryptic message from her on her voice mail and now Taylor's not answering her cell phone."


"No man, she's gone. She rented a car and drove back to Orlando sometime this afternoon."


"Why did she do that?"


"I am not totally sure, but I have some idea. But listen Kev, it's a long screwed up story, we'll talk about it later, okay?"


"Try telling that to Jamie . . ." Kevin's voice faded as Jamie all but ripped the phone out of his hands.


"Nick, what the hell happened?" Jamie spoke firmly.


"Jamie, she's fine, I'm sure. She just headed back to Orlando early."


"I don't believe you. You know I know her, something set her off didn't it?"


"What do you mean 'set her off'?" Nick asked hesitantly.


"Did you two have a fight or something?" she asked point-blank.


Nick flinched, "Well now that you mention it, kind of, yeah we did."


"What did you fight about?"


"Well, it's kind of complicated."


"Oh never mind," Jamie sighed. "Damnit. I hate when she goes off like this, she just freaks out and runs away." There was a pause on Jamie's end, "There is a good side though. . ."


"Oh really?" Nick said sarcastically, "And what's that?"


"When she runs, she works. She's probably thrown herself into your case and worked out some trial strategy. It's her way of dealing," another pause, then dryly, "well denying things."


"Yeah, well, maybe it's for the best."


"Yeah, maybe. Anyway, we'll see you at Kevin's in the morning, okay?"


"Yeah Jamie, I'll meet you guys there." Nick hung up the phone, dreading what the next morning might bring.


Chapter 18 by old_archive


Jamie was walking down the stairs the next morning when the doorbell rang. Opening the front door, she was relieved to see Taylor standing there.


"If you ever pull a stunt like that again, I swear Taylor. . ."


Taylor held up a hand to cut Jamie off. "Could you at least let me in before you tear into me? And point me in the direction of a coffeepot?"


Jamie chuckled slightly, moved to let Taylor walk into the house, and followed her into the living room. Taylor set down her bag and briefcase, then moved into the kitchen. Kevin was sitting at the table cradling a cup of coffee.


Taylor joined him at the table and Jamie handed her a cup of coffee. She offered to make breakfast, which Taylor and Kevin refused as they both laughed. Taylor looked over at Kevin and said, "I see she's subjected you to her cooking already." Kevin nodded with a grin. Jamie feigned anger, then smiled and sat down.


"You look a lot more relaxed this morning, Jaim. I take it that being alone was a good idea?" asked Taylor. Jamie smiled broadly, and Taylor could see that Jamie was more like she had been when Taylor first came to Florida. "Well, at least one of us has things worked out," she thought to herself.


"Yeah, it was. Very good, and I think we've worked things out." Jamie looked over at Kevin, "No more outbursts, no more tantrums," she grinned and said cheekily, "I promise to be a good girl from here on out." Kevin rolled his eyes.


"Good. But it's only going to get tougher from here on out you know. You sure you're okay?"


"Yeah. I'm fine, Tayl. Don't worry about me," Jamie paused to sip her coffee. "You on the other hand. . ."


"Oh, don't worry about me. You know how I get."


"Yes I do, " said Jamie dryly. "And that's exactly the reason I'm worried about you. Why did you run off like that without telling anyone?"


"Didn't you get my message? I told you that I was going," she tried defending herself.


"Taylor, you know damn well that a voice mail message that says 'I'm leaving here, don't worry about me, I'll see you tomorrow' doesn't cut it. Did you think that would really let us know what was going on?"


"I left Nick a note, he knew I was coming back to Orlando. I figured he'd tell you," she shrugged.


"Only he was out on his boat all day, and it was three hours before we got a hold of him. I was worried sick."


Taylor sighed, "I'm sorry, Heads. I wasn't thinking clearly. I just knew I had to leave, so I did."


"Why? What did you argue about that made you leave?"


"I don't want. . ."


"Wait let me guess, you don't want to talk about it," said Jamie with a slightly sarcastic tone of voice.


"No," Taylor reacted angrily. "If you had let me finish my sentence Jamie, you would have heard me say that I don't want to go into too many details right now, but that I just couldn't stay at Nick's. Besides, there was too much work to be done, and time was wasting." Taylor stood up, and stalked out of the kitchen.


Jamie was silent for while, then said to Kevin, "Did I miss something?"


"I don't think so. If you did, we all missed it too. What ticked her off?"


"I have no idea, but I think she and I need to talk alone. Something else is bothering her, and I don't think she wants to say what it is."


"You mean, she doesn't want me to know. That's fine, Jaim. Go talk to her, I'll stay in here near the coffeepot." Jamie chuckled and leaned down to kiss Kevin. She teasingly moved his coffee cup away from him, and danced out of the way as he growled and tried to swing at her. Jamie stuck her tongue out and turned to walk into the living room. Kevin laughed, retrieved his coffee and sighed in contentment as he drank.


Jamie sat down next to Taylor, who was curled in a ball on the couch and said, "Okay, Brett, what happened yesterday?"


"Nothing."


"You really don't expect me to believe that do you?"


"No, but a girl can hope." Jamie chuckled at that, which brought a slight smile to Taylor's face in response.


"Look, I did something stupid two nights ago. Nick reacted in a way I didn't expect, and I didn't know how to handle that. I didn't know how to react either, so we got into it. He stormed off to spend the day out on the water, I worked on some ideas for the trial, and when I was done, I decided to come back to Orlando. Nick was still out, so I called a rental company, got a car, and came back. End of story."


"Where did you go though?"


"I stayed at a hotel. I figured you and Kevin still were working things out, you didn't need my problems too."


"That's not the point."


"Yes, it is. You're under a lot of stress because of Kevin and Nick, and you don't need to be my caretaker either." She paused, "You've done that enough over the years, I thought I'd give you a break. So for right now, just accept what I've told you, let's work on getting through the trial, then we both can have our nervous breakdowns, okay?"


Jamie saw that Taylor wasn't going to be budged. "Fine," she agreed, but Jamie decided she was going to get the entire story out of her, one way or another.





Nick arrived at Kevin's house around 9:00. Kevin answered the door, and let Nick inside.


"You want some coffee, Kaos?"


"Yeah, that sounds great," Nick replied, following Kevin into the kitchen. Kevin picked up his own coffee while Nick hunted around in a cupboard for another mug and poured some coffee for himself. He had just raised it to his mouth and began to drink when Jamie walked into the kitchen.


"Hey little brother," Jamie greeted him. Nick lowered the mug, looked over at Kevin who just smiled at him, and then looked back at Jamie.


"Uh, hey Jaim," he said casually, although he was waiting for the attack he expected from her. "What's up?"


"Just waiting for you to get here and Tom to call," she said, walking over to the coffeepot and refilling the two mugs she had in her hands.


Nick noticed, and asked softly, "Is Taylor here?"


She nodded, "Yup, in the living room." Nick squared his shoulders, "Is she okay?"


Jamie looked him directly in the eyes and said, "Yes, she is now." Nick's face showed his relief, and Jamie softened her gaze.


"Don't worry, Nicky. I don't think she's mad at you anymore, at least not much. But she's still hurt over whatever you argued about, so please don't bring it up now. This is not the right time for it. The trial is a week away, and we really need to focus on it now, not on anything else."


Nick looked down at her, realizing that she looked and sounded more like the bossy controlling Jamie he knew and adored. "I see that yesterday was good for at least some of us," he smirked. "You're back to normal."


Jamie colored a little but gave him a half smile and replied, "Oh yes, Nicky, it was very good. But you're too young to get any details, and I'm not corrupting you anymore than Kevin and the others already have. Don't even ask me about it."


Nick looked amusedly over at Kevin, who had a relaxed smile on his face. "Since I appear to be responsible for your 'corruption,' I'll tell you later, Blondie. What's a little more between friends?" Jamie shook her head, kissed Kevin, then walked out of the kitchen back into the living room.


Setting the mug down next to Taylor, Jamie said softly, "Nicky's here."


"I kinda figured that when the doorbell rang," said Taylor without looking up from her legal pad. Jamie gave her a light smack on the back of her head.


"Smart ass. I just thought you might be interested, since you've been very interested in him."


Taylor's head came up with that comment. "I am not. Not like you think. He's a client and nothing more." She picked up the cup, inhaled the fresh aroma deeply, then drank. Jamie wasn't buying it though.


"Whatever you say, Tails." Taylor scowled at her, then swallowed the retort she was about to fire at Jamie when the phone rang.


Jamie picked up the phone, "Hello?. . .Hey, Tom. . .yeah, everyone's here, let me get them in here and on the speakerphone." She handed the phone over to Taylor, who greeted Tom while Jamie went back into the kitchen. The three of them came into the room, and Taylor switched the connection over.


"Morning, everyone. Can you all hear me okay?" When all four said yes, Tom continued. "Well, I'm not sure if any of this will help but here's what I got so far. It seems that Miss Coughlin is an aspiring model/actress type whose career hasn't exactly taken off. At one time she had a contract with Trans Continental Media but things weren't exactly working out. Her contract with them ended about six months ago."


Jamie looked over at Taylor with a curious expression and then spoke up, "Tom, it's Jamie, do you have any details of the contract? Or her relationship with Trans Con?"


"Well," Tom started, "not really. I guess Pearlman was trying to expand or something and signed a few models, actors and actresses. It was a short contract, about a year. The split wasn't ugly or anything but I guess the situation wasn't very lucrative for either one of them."


"Anything else?" Taylor spoke up.


"Not really, I couldn't find much after her split with Trans Con. I guess she hasn't done much career wise since then."


"Think you could nose around some more and find out what she has been doing lately?" Taylor asked.


"Sure Taylor." Tom replied, "I'll give you guys a call as soon I get anything, okay?"


"Great Tom," replied Jamie. "Thanks for your help, we really appreciate it." Everyone said their goodbyes and Jamie switched off the speaker phone.


Jamie and Taylor were making a few notes when Kevin finally spoke up. "You know, now that I think about it, that is why she looked a little familiar when Nick and I went over to her house." He paused with a pensive look on his face. "I'm pretty sure I used to see her around the Trans Con offices once in a while."


Taylor looked up very interested, "Do you remember anything strange or out of the ordinary about her? Or any run ins you may have had with her?"


"No, nothing really sticks out in my mind." Kevin stopped for second. "I just vaguely remember seeing her in the office, that's it."


Jamie looked over Kevin questioningly. "Why didn't you remember this before?"


"Jamie," he looked at her frustrated, "don't freak out, I just never paid any attention to her. I guess Tom pointing out that she worked for Trans Con jogged my memory."


"I'm sorry, it's just surprising that she worked with Lou and all," Jamie offered as she sighed.


Taylor frowned at Nick but calmly asked, "So Nick, do you ever remember seeing Molly at Trans Con?"


"I guess I have seen her around, I don't know, its been a long time." Nick spoke with his head down, not looking anyone in the eyes. "I guess I remember seeing her there sometimes. Just never put two and two together."


"Gee, that's a shock," Jamie said, trying to lighten the mood. Nick pursed his lips and looked at her, and she just grinned. "Don't worry about it guys, this isn't bad, it's just a little surprising."


"Yeah, it's okay," Taylor started, "we'll just see if Tom digs up anything else. And Jamie, maybe we can find anymore details of her contract with Trans Con."


"Kevin, do you have any contracts left over there?" Jamie asked, looking up at Kevin.


"Not really, but let me see what I can do." He smiled at Jamie.


"Personally, I want to know what little Miss Molly has been up to for the last six months," Taylor said caustically.


"Me too," Jamie added. "Just out of curiosity guys, does she live in a nice place, nice area, whatever?"


Nick was the first to speak up. "Yeah, she has a really nice place. . ." he stopped himself for a second, "from what I remember."


Taylor looked over at him, searching his eyes for something. "Interesting," was all she could manage. "Jamie why don't you and I get some work done, talk about the notes I worked on yesterday."


"Okay, Kev, do you mind if we use your office?" Jamie asked.


"Nope, not at all. Maybe Nick and I can do something this afternoon while y'all work. Then maybe we can all get together for dinner?" Kevin looked at Jamie with those green eyes she couldn't resist.


"That sounds great. Taylor?"


Taylor was busy writing notes again as she responded, "Oh, what? Oh, yeah, fine, whatever."


Kevin rolled his eyes as he and Nick left the girls so they could get some work finished.


Chapter 19 by old_archive


The next week was a busy one for Taylor, Jamie, Kevin and Nick as they prepared for the trial. Kevin and Nick tried to go to the studio to record. The press, however, waited for them in full force, asking for statements and interviews. Finally with Denise's help, Taylor and Jamie drafted a statement to the press which said the boys were innocent of all charges, they fully expected the trial to bear their belief out, and that they would not speak to anyone until after the trial was over. The statement appeased the press but not for long. Since they couldn't record, Brian, AJ, Howie and Denise were at Kevin's house every day trying to help and lend support as best they could.


Nick went back home one evening to pack some things to take back to Orlando, only to be inundated by reporters and television crews on his front lawn. It took a police escort for Nick to get into his house, throw some things into a suitcase, get back into his truck, and drive to Orlando. The Orlando police department was only slightly better at keeping the press and the growing crowd of fans under control. But the situation at Kevin's house was slowly escalating.


Taylor and Jamie worked as best they could amid all the chaos, trying to finalize their strategy and theory of the case. They needed to predict testimony and counter with good cross-examination, write an opening statement, and prepare Kevin and Nick to win the jury over. Both attorneys had the feeling that there was something else, something that was missing, but neither could figure out what exactly it was. Going over the whole case with Kevin and Nick repeatedly, as well as with the others, did not alleviate the nagging sense that there was some key element missing. While the eight of them shared their frustrations with each other, to the rest of the world they gave the appearance of a solid, united and confident front.


At night, the case was put away, and everyone tried their best to forget about it. Fierce games of foozball or Nintendo raged as they all took their frustrations out on the machines. Jamie and Kevin would disappear each night into his bedroom, away from everyone else. The others respected their wish for privacy and usually left them alone. Jamie and Kevin spent the time wrapped in each others arms, either talking or watching movies. Sometimes they simply held one another, the silence giving them some solace from all the noise of the day.


For her part, Taylor welcomed the other guys staying at the house with them. The one thing she feared was being left alone with Nick. He tried once to talk to her alone in the kitchen, so they could discuss what had happened in Tampa. She wouldn't meet his gaze, instead concentrating on making dinner, and she gave only monotone answers. Annoyed, Nick finally reached out to pull her around to face him. Taylor blanched, twisted out of his grip and moved away from him. She responded by giving the longest answer Nick had heard from her in days. "Do not grab me like that ever again. Nick, this is not the time to talk about this. You are going to have to wait until after all of this is over before I decide whether or not I even want to get into this with you."


"What if I won't wait? What if I want to talk about this right now?"


"I don't care, you have no choice in this. I am not going to talk about it now. If you want this conversation, you're going to have to have it alone." She walked away from him, and announced that dinner was ready to the others. After that encounter, Taylor made sure she was never alone, never in a position to have Nick corner her again.





The doorbell rang the day before the trial. As the others looked at each other, Taylor answered the door cautiously.


"Tom! How did you get through all of that?" she asked, waving absently at the circus outside.


"I know one of the officers watching you. Can I come in? I don't want to be out here any longer than necessary," he said. Apologizing, Taylor opened the door wide enough to let him in, then quickly closed it, drowning out the shouted queries of the reporters.


After quick introductions and a offer to get Tom coffee, everyone settled in the living room to hear what had brought Tom out to the house.


"I thought I would come over because I didn't want to tell you this over the phone. You never know about those reporters," Tom began. "Anyway, I did some more digging like you asked, and I've come up with some new information that might help you. I thought it would be best to show you."


"Great!" said Jamie. "We need something else, what have you got?"


Tom pulled out a manila folder from his briefcase, and laid it on the coffee table in front of Jamie and Taylor. Taylor opened the folder.


"These look like canceled checks."


"Very good, Tay. I see your mastery of the obvious hasn't changed," grinned Tom. Taylor gave an exasperated sigh.


"Okay, okay. You are right, there are copies of two canceled checks, both made out to Miss Molly Coughlin. But look at who they are from," said Tom.


"Trans Continental Media," said Jamie, peering over Taylor's shoulder. "You already told us that she had a contract with Pearlman. Aren't these her paychecks? What's so special about them?"


Tom shook his head back and forth, "Jamie, look at the amount. Do those look like paychecks to you?" Jamie noticed that each check was written for $50,000.


By this time, Brian was staring at the papers over Taylor's other shoulder. "Wait, not just that. Look at the date on that check, that's last month."


Taylor's eyes grew bigger as she looked at the other check. "And this one is from two weeks ago." She looked up at Tom, "What's going on?"


Tom said, "Based on the dates you gave me, the first check was paid by Mr. Pearlman to Miss Coughlin three days before the promotion you boys had at Tower Records. The second was made to Miss Coughlin two days after Kevin and Nick were arrested."


Nick looked confused, "Wait, I thought you said her contract ended with Trans Con six months ago. Are these residuals?"


Jamie said, "No Nicky, I don't think so. They don't look like residuals from her contract, or for any jobs she might have done for Lou."


Taylor grew thoughtful, "No, I think you're wrong Jamie. They are for a job she did for Lou." She remained quiet while the others slowly grasped her meaning. Tom was beaming at Taylor.


AJ, who had been staring at the papers on the coffee table, suddenly snapped his head up. "You were set up!" he shouted. "She was paid to do this! Lou set the whole damn thing up!" As Tom nodded, the look of outrage on the others' faces grew.


"That's what it looks like," said Tom. "There's also one other thing you should know. I ran a chain of title on her house like you asked me to, Taylor. The previous owner of the house was. . ."


"Trans Con," said Taylor in a low voice.


Tom nodded again, "Taylor, are you sure you want to keep practicing law? You have all the makings of a great private investigator." She smiled faintly, and said, "No, at the moment, I am better off at being an attorney. But thanks."


Kevin asked, "Are there any other bombshells you have for us?"


Tom said no and stood up, "Well I think I have given you enough to think about. I should be going now. Is there anything else you need from me?" When Taylor said no, Tom packed up and allowed Taylor to walk him out. Taylor closed the door behind him, and returned to the living room. The looks she saw on the other seven faces ranged from incredulousness to anger to shock.


"Well kids, I think our strategy has just changed," she announced.


As every one settled back down pondering Tom's news, Nick spoke up, "Taylor, are those checks enough to prove that we were set up?"


Taylor looked over at Nick with a softness that had been absent for a while, "Well, not really, but they might be enough to get the DA to drop the charges."


Kevin's head jerked up, "Let's tell him then. . ."


"I'm not really sure if that is the best option here, but it is an option." Taylor responded.


Jamie continued, "I think I see where you're going with this Tails, if we take it the DA, he could drop the charges. But if he doesn't, then he has some time to prepare Molly to refute it on the witness stand, and we lose our tactical edge."


"Whereas," began Taylor, "if we just sit on it, we could nail her on cross, and most likely give the jury some reasonable doubt."


"What about Lou, would you have to get him to testify?" Kevin asked.


"Well, Lou is really a whole other situation. I don't see any reason to try to get him to testify, there's no way we could get him to admit anything on the stand," said Taylor.


"So he's gonna get away with this?" Nick asked.


"Well, I doubt he'll get off completely," Jamie spoke up. "The DA will probably try to charge him with something when this all comes out, don't you think Tayl?"


"Probably." Taylor thought for a moment, "Molly will probably get busted too. . ."


Nick looked over at Taylor with a very surprised expression. She noticed this and searched his eyes for a reason. Nick looked away. Shaking it off, she turned back to Jamie. "Okay Jamie, we have a lot of work to do before tomorrow morning, we need to figure out an approach for this. Let's get settled into Kevin's office."


"Can we do anything to help?" Kevin spoke up as everyone else nodded, indicating their willingness to do something.


"Not really guys, but thanks," Taylor smiled at them. "Your part in all of this won't change. Why don't you guys relax or go out or something."


Jamie leaned over and gave Kevin a quick kiss. "Yeah darlin', the slave driver and I are going to be working for a while. Go have some fun, forget about this for a while, okay? We are going to earn our fee." Nick choked when he heard Jamie's phrasing.


"Damn, I knew I forgot something." Taylor gritted.


Everyone looked up at once and Jamie asked her seriously, "Uh oh, what did you forget?"


"My whip!" Taylor smirked. And with that Taylor and Jamie went to work while the others decided to go play basketball.


Chapter 20 by old_archive


Although the courtroom resembled a circus, the mood was solemn among their group as everyone entered the courtroom the next morning. The other guys as well as Denise and a few members of management were there to support Kevin and Nick. Jamie and Taylor got organized at the defense table and then went to join the others huddled in the back of the courtroom.


AJ looked nervously at Jamie and Taylor who both seemed very calm. "How come you guys are so calm? You're scaring me."


Taylor chuckled a little bit, "AJ, you forget that we do this for a living. It's not that we aren't nervous, we're just used to it I suppose."


"So how long do you think this is going to take?" Brian asked.


Jamie put her hand on his shoulder and tried to calm him, "It won't take too long Rok, probably a couple of days, three tops."


"And the jury has already been picked, so all that's left is the actual trial," Taylor said.


Jamie looked at her watch and noticed it was time to get seated up front. Kevin stood next to her staring off into space. She gently placed her hand over his and nudged him, "It's time darlin'. We need to go up front now."


Kevin didn't say a word, he simply turned to look at Jamie for a moment and then followed her toward the defense table.


Nick looked over at Taylor and she motioned for him to follow Jamie and Kevin. Nick reached out and tugged on Taylor's sleeve, stopping them in the aisle before they reached the table.


"What is it Nick?" Taylor questioned.


"Taylor, just tell me everything is going to work out? Please?"


She saw the childlike fear in his eyes and softened some before she responded. "We're going to do our best Nick, nothing else matters right now, okay? Everything will work out. . ."


"Promise?"


Taylor didn't answer him verbally, she took his hand in hers, squeezed it tightly and led him to the table to sit down. The four of them sat there quietly, each sorting through their own set of hopes and fears about what was to come.





The bailiff silenced the crowded courtroom as he spoke, "All rise." The judge entered the courtroom and took his seat at the bench. The bailiff continued, "This court is now in session, the Honorable Royce Bergen presiding."


The judge spoke sharply, "You may be seated. . . Bailiff would you call the case. . ."


"Case number 99-1003, State versus Kevin Scott Richardson and Nickolas Gene Carter."


Peering up from his file the judge looked at the attorneys. "Is the prosecution ready for trial?"


"Yes, your honor, we are," replied the Assistant District Attorney.


"Is defense counsel ready?"


Taylor and Jamie both stood as Taylor addressed the judge, "Yes, your honor."


"Any pending pretrial motions before we begin?"


Jamie replied, "Yes, your honor. . .may I approach the bench?"


"Yes, you may."


The prosecutor followed Jamie up to the bench as Jamie began speaking, "Your honor, the defense respectfully requests that all electronic media be removed from the courtroom at this time."


"For what reason counsel?"


"Due to the sensitive nature of both the defendants and the charges against them we feel that allowing immediate media access may compromise both the integrity of the trial and the reputations of the defendants."


The judge looked to the prosecutor for an objection, "We have no objection to defense motion your honor."


"Very well then, counsel may step back."


The judge spoke as Jamie and the prosecutor returned to their respective tables. "Ladies and Gentlemen, I have granted a defense motion to have all electronic media banned from the courtroom for the duration of this trial. Would the marshals please execute this order."


At the table from left to right were Taylor, Nick, Jamie and Kevin. Taylor leaned across Nick to speak to Jamie, "I'm a little surprised that the ADA didn't oppose the motion."


"I was too," replied Jamie, "but let's not question it now. I don't think he suspects anything."


Moments later the courtroom had thinned out to only a few print media, spectators and supporters. The marshals returned to their posts. The judge administered the oath to the jurors and then indicated that the prosecutor could proceed with opening statements.


Speaking with little emotion, the ADA briefly told the story to the jurors, the same story that Molly would most likely recount on the witness stand. To Kevin and Nick it seemed as though he was recounting a fictional tale but nothing he said surprised Jamie or Taylor.


When he finished, the judge indicated that defense counsel may proceed with their opening statements. Taylor glanced at Jamie with a confident look as Taylor stood to speak.


"Thank you your honor. Ladies and gentlemen, members of the jury, my name is Taylor Brett and I, along with my co-counsel Jamie Saxon, am here today to represent Kevin Richardson and Nickolas Carter. Please let me begin by thanking you for giving us your valuable time today and throughout this trial. You are all to be commended for helping us maintain the integrity of not only our judicial system but our society in general. Although the prosecution may not agree, I feel that everyone in this room today has the same purpose, and that purpose is to see that justice is done.


"Our part of that job is to present to you the defendants' side of the story and to see that the prosecution properly presents their side. Your part in all of this is perhaps a bit tougher. You will need to listen carefully to all of the evidence that we present to you and decide what the facts are. You need to decide the truth. I know that may sound like a difficult job but I'm certain that each and every one of you is up to the task. Once you decide exactly what the facts are, the judge will ask you to apply those facts to the law, the law that we as a society have decided to abide by. If under those facts, the law states that these two young men should go to jail, then so be it. However, please remember that what you decide to be true, you must believe to be true beyond a reasonable doubt.


"Now, I can't tell you what reasonable doubt is, the judge can't tell you and neither can the prosecution. You need to decide that for yourself. I can however tell you to follow your heart, your conscience and your common sense. Those will lead you to the truth and that is exactly what we want to determine here. We want to determine the truth," Taylor paused for effect.


"And the truth is that these upstanding young men did none of the things that Miss Coughlin claims. Yes, they met Miss Coughlin, once. Yes, they spoke with her briefly. But that is all. The evidence will show that they did not assault her, and they most certainly did not rape her.


"Mr. Richardson and Mr. Carter are celebrities, some of you may even be familiar with them. Being a celebrity is not always the easiest way of life. Someone is always demanding your time, your energy, your attention. Being in the limelight also makes you an easy target. You become a target for criticism and sometimes you even become a scapegoat for frustration. Perhaps that is why we are here today, who really knows," she shrugged.


"You do not have to decide exactly what unfortunate events led Miss Coughlin to this courtroom today, you need only to decide what role Mr. Richardson and Mr. Carter played in those events. And I am certain that once you've heard all of the evidence you will honestly believe that they played absolutely no part. And in turn, that they are innocent of the charges against them today. Thank you."


Turning to the judge Taylor spoke once more as she returned to her seat, "Nothing further your honor."


"The prosecution may call its first witness."


The ADA stood, "Thank you your honor, the state calls Detective Corin to the stand."


Detective Corin proceeded to take the stand and describe the events surrounding Molly's complaint and the process which led to Kevin and Nick's arrest.


On cross examination, Jamie got the detective to explain that this case was a little different from a normal assault complaint. He described how the investigation was altered considering the celebrity status of the defendants and that the arrest warrant was not issued initially due to a lack of concrete evidence.


Knowing his response would be a little ambiguous and shaky, Jamie asked the next question, "So exactly what prompted you to get the arrest warrant?"


The detective paused for a moment, "Well, Miss Coughlin got a bit hysterical when she found out we were considering not continuing with the charges."


"So, let me see if I understand you correctly. Although shaken by the alleged incident, she seemed relatively stable when she first filed the complaint, is that correct?"


"Yes, you could say that."


"But approximately a week later she became hysterical, when she realized you might not continue with the charges?"


"Objection your honor, calls for speculation by the witness. He can't possibly know exactly what prompted Miss Coughlin's tentative emotional state." The ADA rose to his feet.


"I'm merely trying to establish the time line through the investigation your honor."


"Overruled, but Ms. Saxon, please stick to eliciting the time line and refrain from discussing Ms. Coughlin's emotional state." The ADA sat back down, and Jamie turned back to the detective.


"Yes, your honor. So, Detective Corin, it was in fact over a week between the original complaint and the issuing of the arrest warrant, correct?"


"Yes, that is correct."


"And during that time, you did in fact consider not pressing charges against Mr. Richardson and Mr. Carter, correct?"


"Yes, that is also correct."


Jamie turned around to walk back towards the defense table, but stopped after a couple of steps. She turned around as if another thought had just occurred to her.


"Detective, I have just one more question. What were the results of the rape kit?"


Detective Corin nervously fingered his tie. "The rape kit," he repeated.


"Yes, sir. Isn't it standard procedure by your department that when someone files rape charges, they are examined by a doctor and a rape kit is taken?"


"Yes."


"Good. So Miss Coughlin was examined and a rape kit was taken?"


The answer came grudgingly, "Not exactly."


Jamie moved forward towards Detective Corin. "What do you mean, not exactly?"


"Well, the original complaint did not include rape."


"It didn't? When was the rape charge added?"


"Afterwards."


"I see. What exactly do you mean by afterwards, when was it added?"


Detective Corin had slowly turned red during this line of questioning, and now looked very uncomfortable. He said quietly, "The charge was added after her second meeting with myself and the DA."


"You mean after she found out charges weren't being filed as a result of your investigation?"


"Yes."


"After she became hysterical?"


"Objection, your honor, again calls for speculation about Miss Coughlin's emotional state."


"I withdraw the question," said Jamie.


"Detective, once she added rape to the charges, was a rape kit done then?"


"No."


"Well, why not, you did say it was standard procedure, correct?"


"It was too late to do one. Two weeks had already passed from the time of the incident. Any results from a rape kit at that time would have been inconclusive."


"So there is no actual forensic evidence concerning the alleged rape?"


"No."


"Thank you Detective." Detective Corin grimaced slightly. "The defense has nothing further for this witness your honor."


"Prosecution on redirect?" asked the judge. The ADA stood and replied, "Not at this time, your honor."


"The witness may be excused," said Judge Bergen. "Prosecution, you may call your next witness."


"Thank you, your honor. State calls Miss Molly Coughlin to the stand."


Chapter 21 by old_archive


The bailiff approached Molly as she stood on the witness stand. "Please raise your right hand." Molly did as requested as the bailiff continued. "Do you swear that the testimony you are about to give is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help you God?"


Molly hesitated only slightly, then said defensively, "I do."


The ADA approached the stand slowly as he spoke to Molly. "Miss Coughlin would you state your full name for the record please."


"Margaret Elizabeth Coughlin."


"Miss Coughlin, what happened to you approximately one month ago?"


"I was attacked and raped."


"Do you see the men who did this to you here in the courtroom today?"


A soft whisper, "Yes." The ADA asked, "Can you point them out please?"


With a shaky finger, Molly pointed at Kevin and Nick. "Let the record show she has identified the defendants, Kevin Richardson and Nickolas Carter."


"So noted," said the judge.


The ADA continued, "Now, could you tell us how you came to meet the defendants?"


"Well, ummmm. . ." Molly tensed up, then spoke hesitantly, as if she didn't want to admit anything. "I was. . .a fan of theirs. . .of their music. . . and so. . . I heard that they were going to be at a store signing autographs and stuff. . . and so I decided to go there and see if I could meet them."


"Can you tell us where this autograph signing took place?" asked the ADA.


"It was at a record store here in Orlando."


"Did you go to that record store on that day?"


"Yes, I did."


"Can you tell us what happened once you got to the record store?"


"Ummm, well. . ." Molly fidgeted with her hands as she tensed up. She appeared to be very uncomfortable in her chair.


"Miss Coughlin, I realize that this may be difficult for you at times, but please, we need you to describe exactly what happened that day."


"Okay. . . well. . ." And so the saga began. Molly proceeded to tell her version of what happened, stopping every once in a while to calm herself or wipe away tears. She described how she ended up in the back hallway, looking for the washroom. The meeting had been brief according to her. Nick and Kevin had come out into the hallway and stopped to talk to her. She was somewhat calm as she explained how surprised she was that they were back there and that she hoped to get an autograph from them. Her demeanor sank as she continued her tale with a description of the guys' not so subtle proposition. Finally, her expression was blank as she graphically, almost medically, told how they dragged her into a room off the hallway and began their sexual encounter.


It seemed like Molly spoke for hours. In actuality, it was a little over an hour.


The room was silent as she spoke, everyone seemingly under her spell. Jamie and Taylor took a few notes as they listened to Molly, glancing at each other during a few of the more gory parts. Kevin looked straight ahead as he listened to Molly's testimony. Disbelief washed over him that someone could lie so blatantly in a court of law. Several times he looked at Jamie, silently pleading with her to believe that none of what Molly said was true. Jamie, often just by reaching over and touching his hand with hers, did her best to reassure him that she knew the truth. And as for Jamie, it took every bit of willpower she had to sit calmly and listen to the testimony, to look for ways of discrediting Molly. It was hard, since what she really wanted to do was strangle Molly.


In contrast to Kevin, Nick just sat with his head down the entire time. His gaze never left the floor. His hands lay in his lap as he appeared pensive but surprisingly calm. As Molly's direct testimony concluded, Nick finally looked up. Taylor looked over at him and saw such sadness in his eyes. She considered consoling him but her clearer instincts took over and she instead glanced through her notes again preparing to cross-examine Molly.


As Molly finished teary eyed, the ADA quickly looked through his notes before addressing the judge. "Your honor, the prosecution has nothing further but if we may respectfully request a recess so that the witness may compose herself."


The judge looked at his watch before speaking. "Granted. This court will recess for lunch and reconvene in two hours." Everyone rose to their feet as the judge left the court room.


After organizing their notes, Jamie and Taylor joined Nick, Kevin and the others in the back of the courtroom.





Because of the media and crowd of fans outside the courtroom and the courthouse, it wasn't possible for them to leave the building to have lunch. Instead, they were led by officers into one of the witness conference rooms. Another officer was sent out to get them sandwiches and drinks.


Once the door closed behind them, Taylor and Jamie faced everyone. "Okay guys, now's the time and place to let it out," said Taylor. "I know you're dying to say something."


Howie was the only one who could speak, but everyone nodded as he expressed his outrage. "Why are you letting her go on and on about this when we all know it's a lie? Can't you object or something like they do on Law and Order?"


Taylor laughed. "I'm sorry, I'm not laughing at you, honestly. But that's not real, that's just a TV show. Real life doesn't work that way. I can't object to what she says, I can only object to the questions asked to her by the ADA. Besides, her going into such detail is benefiting us."


Kevin was incredulous, "You've got to be kidding, Taylor. How did that story benefit us?"


"She's gone into such detail she can't be evasive about them or change her story later. When I catch her in her lies, it will be very obvious to anyone in that courtroom, including the jury."


"You're assuming you can." Jamie smiled at AJ's innocent comment. Taylor merely looked at him with a raised eyebrow.


"Oh, trust me, I can and I will. She may claim to be an actress, but there is no way she is going to be able to act her way out of my cross. She will get caught up in her lies, and I will make sure she gets caught very nicely." She looked at AJ, "And this is not ego talking, you forget I've done this before. I've gotten professionals, I can get her."


Just then a knock came at the door. Jamie went over and opened the door for the guard who returned with their lunch. Thanking him, she started to close the door, when she found herself looking at the ADA. "Counsel, may I have a word with you?"


Taylor and Jamie excused themselves, then joined the ADA in the hallway. "What can we do for you?" asked Taylor.


"I'll get right to it. The assault charge stands, but instead of rape, I'll lower it to gross sexual misconduct if your boys plead guilty. I'll even agree to lighter jail time," said the ADA assuredly. Taylor and Jamie exchanged careful glances.


"And why would you be making this particular offer? Not feeling sure of a conviction anymore?" asked Taylor with a slight sarcastic tone. The ADA's smile grew. "Are you kidding me? After Miss Coughlin's testimony, I have them dead to rights. I'll be getting my conviction, but I figured I would make this easier for you. That way, you didn't have to come to me and beg for mercy. I'm feeling generous today, so I'll give it to you. Just say the word."


"In that case, I believe the word will be 'No.' There is no way you are sure of a conviction. You would never be coming to us with this offer, even if you are being 'generous.' Or is this just your way of assuring the DA's job in the next election, making it appear as if your office is being sympathetic to the plight of two of Orlando's biggest celebrities?" asked Taylor casually.


Ignoring Taylor's speculations he replied, "This offer is only going to last through lunch, ladies. Go back to your clients, I'm sure they'll jump at the chance to get off so easy."


Taylor tried hard not to laugh directly in the ADA's face, "Oh, I'll ask them because I have to, but I can guarantee they won't be saying yes."


"You have misplaced confidence in your clients and your abilities as an attorney, Miss Brett. I'll be in the courtroom when you are ready to accept my offer."


"No, counsel, I know exactly what my abilities are, and trust me you won't see me until court reconvenes. Smile as long as you can until then, because you won't be by the end of my cross." That was all the warning Taylor was willing to give him, and she turned on her heel and held the door for Jamie before entering the room herself and closing the door firmly behind her. The ADA stood stunned for a moment, before shaking his head then walking back to the courtroom.


"Of all the unmitigated gall, that arrogant son of. . ." Taylor trailed off as Nick looked at her curiously. "What was that about?" he asked hesitantly.


Jamie answered grimly, "The ADA wanted to cut a deal with lesser charges and lesser jail time if you pleaded guilty. And he called our abilities to lawyer into question."


"What? Like hell we will," said Kevin heatedly. "And there's nothing wrong with how you are handling this." Jamie crossed over and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Relax, darlin', we know. Taylor told the ADA no, but we do have to inform you of any offers."


"And we're saying no," Kevin looked over at Nick, who nodded in agreement.


"I didn't think you'd accept," said Taylor. "He may be acting cocky, but he's not positive he'll be getting his conviction, that's what the offer was for. Plus I think he wanted to feel us out, see how scared we were after Molly's little performance there. Everything hinges on her testimony, and he was trying to see if he could get our gameplan before we started cross. It's a tactic I've used before, but I knew who to use it on and when. I'm certainly not going to give anything away to him."


Taylor sat down in an empty chair and reached for a sandwich. "Well, I think we should let the ADA sweat this out. He expects to see us jump at the offer, and when we don't he's going to wonder what we have up our sleeve. I think I'm going to enjoy watching the smile leave his face." She smiled in satisfaction. "Can you pass me some potato chips please?"




Chapter 22 by old_archive


As she walked back to the defense table, Taylor looked over at the ADA who gave her an expectant look. She shook her head no, and he shrugged as if to say "Your loss." Once everyone had settled back into the courtroom, the bailiff called the court back into session. The judge indicated to the defense table that they may begin cross-examination.


Taylor stood slowly and greeted Molly. "Good afternoon Miss Coughlin." Molly nodded her acknowledgment toward Taylor.


"So, Miss Coughlin, you stated before that you were, at least at one time, a fan of the defendants, or more generally, the Backstreet Boys, is that correct?"


"I used to be, yes."


"So you enjoyed their music?"


"Yes."


"Do you or did you own any of their music CDs?"


"Yes, I have a couple of their CDs."


"About how long had you been a fan of the Backstreet Boys at the time of the signing?"


"I guess a year or so, maybe a little longer."


"And did you consider yourself a big fan of the group?"


"No, not really. I wasn't a rabid teeny bopper if that's what you're getting at."


Taylor almost giggled at her response but recovered to ask the next question. "So you considered yourself a fan but not a rabid fan as you put it?"


"Yes, that's correct."


"But you in fact planned an afternoon excursion in hopes of meeting the group, did you not?"


"Well, yeah, but . . ."


"You answered the question, thank you." Taylor paused for effect. "So Miss Coughlin, was that afternoon the first time that you had met or attempted to meet the defendants or any of the other Backstreet Boys?"


"Yes." Taylor smiled inwardly, knowing Molly had just committed her first error.


"May I ask your occupation?"


"I am trying to break into the entertainment industry," she replied smugly.


"Break in how?"


"I am an actress, and I've done some modeling."


"I see. And are you currently working in the entertainment industry as either an actress or a model?"


"Well, not really. I haven't worked in a while."


"So, you haven't worked in a while. Do you have a steady source of income?"


"Not really."


"How are you paying your living expenses?"


"I have some money saved, I'm using that," Molly shrugged. "And I have a roommate."


"Does this roommate pay any of your expenses?" asked Taylor.


"No, she doesn't."


"Oh, I see. All right, well let's get back to your career for now. You have in fact worked in the business before?"


"Yes, I have."


"Okay, I am slightly ignorant of the entertainment industry, so could you tell me how this works exactly. When you were working, were you under contract with someone? Or did you go from assignment to assignment?"


"Mostly freelance, wherever I could get work."


"Have you ever had an agent?"


"Yes, I used to be with a management agency."


"And which agency was that?" Taylor asked silkily.


Molly paused fitfully, "Trans Continental Media."


"Pardon me, did you say Trans Continental Media?"


Softly Molly replied, "Yes."


"Miss Coughlin, are you aware that the Backstreet Boys were at one time also under contract with Trans Continental Media?"


Molly's responses continued to be barely audible as her confidence shrank. "Yes, I know."


"Did you spend much time at the office while you were with Trans Con?"


"I was there sometimes."


"How often is sometimes'?"


"I don't know. . . maybe once a week."


"How long were you under contract with Trans Continental?"


"Less than a year."


"So you're saying that you were at Trans Con's offices, the very same office that managed the defendants' group, once a week for almost a year, and yet you never once saw the defendants or any other member of the Backstreet Boys there?"


"I might have seen them around the office."


"But you claim you never met them before the promotional event?"


"Well. . ."


"Miss Coughlin, you claimed that you were a fan of the defendants. You stated that you were managed by the same company and often visited the office where the defendants also spent a great deal of time and yet you still maintain that you had no prior contact with the them?"


"Objection your honor," the ADA stood, obviously flustered, "Counsel is badgering the witness."


Taylor feigned frustration although she was very happy with the way things were going. "Withdrawn your honor. Back to your relationship with Trans Con Miss Coughlin, was that contract very lucrative from your standpoint?"


"Lucrative?" asked Molly.


"Did you make enough money to satisfy you as a result of your contract with Trans Continental Media?" clarified Taylor.


"Oh, well, not exactly."


"Is that part of the reason that you left the agency?"


"Yes, it was."


"Why else?"


"My contract ended and it wasn't renewed."


"Your decision or Trans Continental's?"


"Well, mostly Trans Con, but I decided as well."


"All right then, so when did you leave Trans Con?" asked Taylor.


"I left about seven months ago."


"Did you enter into a contract with any other agency?"


"No, that's when I started my freelance work."


"Have you had many offers for freelance?"


"Not really."


"So Miss Coughlin, let me just clarify your testimony, for my own understanding. . . You are an aspiring actress, at least for the past seven months or so you have done mostly freelance work, and you ended your last contract at least partly because you were not making enough money. . . is that a fair assessment of what you have said so far?"


The ADA stood up slightly confused, "Objection your honor. Aside from the fact that counsel's questions are repetitive, I don't see the relevance in this line of testimony?"


"Your honor, if I may have some leeway here, I believe that the point will become clear soon enough," interjected Taylor.


"Very well counsel, but try to get there soon. Objection overruled." The ADA sat down, and Taylor turned back to Molly.


"Again, Miss Coughlin, is that a fair assessment?"


"I guess so."


"And money is a driving force behind your career choice, is it not?"


"It's part of it, yes," Molly said, becoming agitated by Taylor's insinuation. "Money usually is for most people." Taylor waved that comment aside.


"Let's just concentrate on you shall we? I'd like to get some details of your contract with Trans Con. How were you paid under that contract?"


"I'm not sure what you mean." Molly was now confused and very wary.


"Under the contract were you compensated by receiving a portion for each job, did you receive a salary, or were there residuals or royalties involved?"


"Oh. I was paid a percentage of the fee for each job I went on."


"Could you give me an example of this, perhaps a particular assignment and approximately how much you were compensated?"


"Well I remember a photo shoot that I did that lasted about three days. I think I made $500 for that shoot."


"And would you or Trans Con receive any additional payments such as residuals or royalties for this shoot once it was finished?"


"No. Most assignments were photo shoots or commercial shoots and whatever we did became the property of the person who contracted for the shoot."


"So you were paid one time for the actual work once the job was finished?"


"Yes."


Taylor walked back over to the defense table, and picked up a piece of paper as she looked at the judge. "Permission to approach the witness your honor?"


"Granted."


With her head down as if she were concentrating on the piece of paper, Taylor slowly and deliberately walked over to Molly. "Miss Coughlin, I ask that you look at this carefully. Do you recognize this?"


Molly's face went stark white as she looked at the first of what she knew to be two checks made out to her from Lou Pearlman and Trans Con. She responded a moment later, stuttering, "Uh, no. . ."


"You don't recognize this?"


Attempting to compose herself, Molly looked up at Taylor, "No. No, I don't."


"Okay, but regardless, would you be so kind as to describe this item for the jury."


"It. . . it's a check."


"Can you tell us the date on the check?"


"It was written about five weeks ago."


"And could you tell us the amount please?"


"Fifty thousand dollars."


"Can you tell us who issued the check?"


"Trans Continental Media."


"And finally, if you could Miss Coughlin, can you tell us who the check is made payable to?"


Molly stiffened as she tried to answer, "It. . . it's made out to Molly Coughlin."


"Now Miss Coughlin, you still don't recognize this check, is that correct?"


"Well. . ."


Taylor stopped her before she could answer, "Miss Coughlin, if you would please turn the check over and look at the reverse. . . tell me, whose signature is that on the back of the check?"


Reluctantly, Molly flipped the paper over and briefly looked down at the scrawl she recognized as her handwriting. Deflated, she said quietly, "Um, mine."


Returning to the defense table, Taylor picked up the other check and again requested to approach the witness.


"Miss Coughlin, could you please describe this item to the jury as well?"


"It, um. . . it's another check."


"Dated when?"


"About two weeks ago."


"The amount?"


"Fifty thousand dollars."


"Was this check also issued by Trans Continental Media to you?"


"Yes."


"And is your signature on the back of this check as well?"


The paper wasn't even turned over this time. "Yes it is."


Taylor again picked up a piece of paper from the defense table and presented it to Molly. "Do you recognize this Miss Coughlin?"


Molly visibly flinched, "Yes."


"And can you tell us what this is?"


"It says it is an account history for a savings account."


"Whose account is it?"


"Mine."


"There are two highlighted items on this statement, could you please describe those to us."


"They are. . ." Molly gave in, drained of any resolve. "They are deposits."


"How much is each deposit?"


"Fifty thousand dollars each."


"When were they made?"


"One was made five weeks ago, and. . ." Molly's voice faltered.


"And?" Taylor prompted.


"Two weeks ago."


Taylor tried not to smile, "Your honor, the defense requests that these three items be marked and admitted into evidence as Defense Exhibits 1, 2, and 3."


The judge glanced at the ADA, "Any objection from the state?"


The ADA, who sat silent during this line of questioning, was brought out of his daze by the judge's voice. He glanced up to respond, shoulders sagging and the smile gone from his face, "No, your honor, no objection."


"The bailiff will retrieve and mark those exhibits as requested."


Taylor turned back to Molly. "Miss Coughlin, you did say that under your contract you didn't receive any royalties or residuals, correct?"


"Yes." Molly looked as if she were about to be sick. The ADA didn't look much better.


"And you also stated that your contract ended seven months ago, correct?"


"Yes."


Sensing that Molly wasn't going to put up a fight, Taylor had little fear in asking the next question. "So Miss Coughlin, could you tell us why Trans Continental Media issued you two checks within the last five weeks, totaling $100,000?"


The room was extremely quiet as everyone waited to hear her response. Molly looked down as she twisted her rings and fidgeted with her hands. After a couple of minutes passed, Taylor softened a bit and spoke to Molly once again. "Miss Coughlin, would you like for me to repeat the question?"


Slowly Molly lifted her head, her eyes swollen and tears on the brink of falling. Her words were soft but audible to those were listening intently. "Um. . .I refuse to answer. . .because. . . I might. . .incriminate myself." She could barely meet Taylor's gaze, and quickly looked away from everything and everyone.


Pausing to let Molly's words have the desired effect, Taylor finally broke the silence a moment later. "I have nothing further your honor." And with that she returned to her seat at the defense table.


The judge turned to the ADA. "Does the State have anything on redirect?" The ADA, who was now slumped at his table, raised his right arm and weakly waved it, "No, your honor."


"The witness may be excused. Ladies and Gentlemen, I believe that is enough for today. We'll resume at nine am tomorrow morning. Court is adjourned." The rap of the gavel echoed loudly in an otherwise quiet room.




Chapter 23 by old_archive


Court was called to order the next morning and the judge spoke to the ADA. "The State may call its next witness."


The ADA rose slowly, looking cautiously towards the defense table. "The State rests your honor."


"Very well, is the defense prepared to begin their case-in-chief?"


Jamie stood to address the judge. "Your honor, the defense also rests." There was a slight murmur in the courtroom.


The ADA looked nervously at Jamie as she spoke. He knew that not letting Kevin and Nick testify was the best move for the defense. He had hoped, however, Taylor and Jamie would still want the boys to explain their story. Then he could have regained the advantage he believed he had after Molly's direct.


Only slightly surprised by Jamie's statement, the judge responded, "Very well then, we'll recess for fifteen minutes to allow counsel to prepare closing arguments."





Following their attorneys back to the witness conference room, Kevin and Nick looked stunned. The others did as well.


"Okay, didn't you just spend all week preparing Nick and me to testify?" asked Kevin. Taylor nodded absently as she went through her notes for closing.


"Then you want to explain why we went through all of that for nothing?"


Hearing that remark, Taylor looked up at Kevin. "It wasn't for nothing, Kevin. Up until last night, Jamie and I had every intention of putting you two on the stand. But things change and we decided it's not worth it to get you up there."


"Why not?" Nick was thoroughly confused, and the others mirrored his look.


Taylor sighed. "Look, Jamie and I think that our cross of Corin and Molly did a lot of damage to the ADA's case. We gave the jury something to think about, another explanation of what happened, or rather why it happened. Now most juries are pretty creative, how they reach decisions usually have nothing to do with what they are given. It usually has to do with what they believe. If we got them to believe Molly is a liar, that she lied about not having money, then they'll wonder what else she lied about. They will come up with theories and stories that are more far-fetched and surreal than anything we can give them. But that's the point. If they can come up with one such theory, we won."


"I'm not sure I'm following you," said Kevin.


"If they can come up with an alternate explanation, it means they don't necessarily believe Molly's version. They doubt she's telling them the truth. If you heard Taylor's opening statement, they have to make their decision beyond a reasonable doubt. If they can come up with other stories, they don't believe her beyond a reasonable doubt. They can't find for her. Our job was to make sure there was reasonable doubt against Molly, and we did that. Putting you or Nick up only gives them a way to make you look bad and to strengthen their case. That's not what we want, so you're not going up. And since you and Nick were going to be our only two witnesses, we have no one else to go up on the stand. So we rested," explained Jamie.


"Besides," Taylor interjected, "anything you two would have said that was relevant, she already did say. There's no point in calling you to say it all again, then have the ADA go after you." She looked at everyone, "Do you understand what we are doing now? All right?"


Nick nodded, "Yeah, I guess it makes sense. And actually, I'm kinda glad I don’t have to go up there. I don't think I would have handled it very well." In spite of questioning Taylor's method, Kevin also had a look of relief on his face.


There was a knock at the door. One of the guards poked his head in the doorway. "Court in session in a minute, counsel." Taylor nodded, and the guard closed the door.


"All right, let's get this show on the road. Ready?" asked Jamie. Taylor nodded, and they all filed out of the room back into the courtroom.





"Are both sides ready to begin closing arguments?" The ADA and Taylor stood to let the judge know they were ready.


"Very well, Mr. Dixon, you may begin."


The ADA walked out from behind the table and slowly approached the jury box.


"Thank you your honor. Ladies and Gentlemen, if I may, I'd like to take a moment first and thank you again for your time. Your participation in this trial is one of the most important things you can do to help insure the integrity of our judicial system and all involved truly appreciate your help. Now with that said, and you having heard all of the evidence, I want to walk you through this case again.


"The defendants here are charged with both sexual assault and rape of the victim, Miss Margaret Elizabeth Coughlin. These crimes come in a matched set, and you need to convict the defendants of both of them. Each of these crimes has certain elements to it and it is your job to find that the evidence proves each element beyond a reasonable doubt. Fortunately, the elements are very simple – you must find that the defendants knowingly forced Miss Coughlin to engage in sexual acts without her consent. You don't need a motive for their action and you don't need prior intent on their part to commit a crime. Their decision to force Miss Coughlin to perform sexual acts could have been made at any moment after they were fully aware she was not a willing participant.


"You heard Miss Coughlin state quite emotionally exactly what happened that fateful day. She admitted that she was a fan, and that she in fact went to the record store to try to meet the defendants. Then she described in detail how she innocently met the defendants in a back hallway and exactly how the defendants took advantage of that situation and forced her into a room and compelled her to perform sexual acts. That is your evidence ladies and gentlemen. It is up to you to decide exactly what happened in that back hallway and in the room into which the defendants dragged Miss Coughlin.


"Please remember that Miss Coughlin is not on trial here, the defendants are. This is a forum to determine what they did wrong. This is not the place to criticize or judge Miss Coughlin; she has been through enough, wouldn't you agree?


"Now defense counsel is going to attempt to lead you on a wild goose chase through the evidence. Testing you and your ability to recognize the truth. She is going to throw theories at you left and right in an attempt to lead your senses astray. Ladies and gentlemen, trust what you know to be true. As defense counsel said in her opening statements, use your common sense. When you decide what really happened, we are certain that you will convict the defendants of the crimes with which they are charged. Thank you again."


The judge nodded at Taylor as the ADA returned to his seat. Taylor sat for a moment looking at her notes and then rose to approach the jury box.


"Thank you your honor. Ladies and gentlemen, in my opening statements I tried to talk with you a little bit about your role in this trial. Now I want to talk with you a little more about my role, and my co-counsel's role. Our job is to make sure that the state does everything right. To insure that these defendants get a fair trial and make sure that you hear all of the evidence so that your decision can be made with the utmost confidence. Now the ADA suggested that I am going to lead you on a 'wild goose chase' through the evidence. Well, I have two problems with that statement.


"First of all, there isn't enough evidence here for me to lead you on any kind of chase. You have the victim's story, and we'll discuss that in a moment, and you have the detective's testimony. There isn't much there to go through, now is there?


"Second, I want to do my job, and I want to do it well. If I didn't suggest to you every other viable possibility as to what may have happened, then I wouldn't be doing my job. Remember ladies and gentlemen, you must believe Miss Coughlin's story beyond a reasonable doubt. I'm here to show you that there is more than reasonable doubt as to the truth of her testimony.


"The state has provided you with no physical evidence of the rape. Was a rape kit taken? No. You heard Detective Corin explain that Miss Coughlin waited too long to report this alleged incident. Was Miss Coughlin consistent with her story throughout the investigation? No. You again heard Detective Corin explain how her story developed over time. Her story developed over too long a period of time, ladies and gentlemen. We all know that memory fades with time, and yet in Miss Coughlin's case, her memory appeared to get better. She remembered more details and her accusations became harsher. Basically I'm asking you to figure out when and if she was ever telling the truth." Taylor paused for effect, scanning the jury box.


"Was she ever telling the truth? Again, that is for you to decide. But I need to point out that Miss Coughlin may in fact have had other reasons for making these accusations. Was it money? Was she paid to do this? Maybe, but I can't tell you for certain. Revenge? Did she have a grudge against the defendants? Maybe, but again I can't tell you for certain. What I can tell you is that there are too many other possibilities for you to take Miss Coughlin at her word. I'm not criticizing her as the ADA so kindly suggested. I am just doing my job, and part of it is to call into question the credibility of any witness I think may be trying to mislead you.


"I have nothing personal against Miss Coughlin and I am truly sorry that she felt the need to initiate this investigation. I don't wish her any harm nor do I hold any malice towards her. I only want you to be objective when you consider the testimony that she gave. You don't need to discern a reason behind her testimony, or sort out any other complicated theory. Just decide whether or not what Miss Coughlin told you was true. It's as simple as that.


"Finally, I'm sure you are wondering why the defendants didn't get up on the witness stand and tell you their story. Well, honestly ladies and gentlemen, we didn't think it was necessary. You actually heard Miss Coughlin tell you everything that the defendants would have told you. That's right, the first five minutes of her testimony was exactly what the defendants would have told you. Yes, the defendants were at the record signing that day. Yes, they saw her in the back hallway. But ladies and gentlemen, that is where the truth in her testimony ends.


"I'm asking all of you to go back to the jury room and think about everything you've heard. Everything. Don't disregard anything. Everything is important here. It is the entirety of this case that makes it so difficult to believe, and that is what I know you will come to see when you sit down and sort through this case. And when you do, you'll see the truth, and the truth is that the defendants are not guilty of the crimes with which they are charged. Thank you again." Taylor returned to her seat and looked over at Jamie, who nodded and smiled.


The judge began to instruct the jury on their procedures and the information they would receive in the jury room. A few minutes later the jury was led from the courtroom and court was adjourned. The four sitting at the defense table looked back and forth at one another, holding a collective breath.


Jamie took Kevin's hand in hers and looked into his eyes. "This is it darlin', now all we have to do is wait."


Nick looked at Jamie and muttered, "Great. Like we haven't waited enough around here." Taylor heard him, and took pity on him. "Nick, nothing in law is fast." Surprised, he turned to look at her, and managed to say, "So I've noticed."





A knock sounded on the door of the conference room. Taylor opened the door and saw the bailiff standing there. "Jury's back with a decision." She nodded, and he turned and left.


Jamie looked at her watch. "Four hours."


"Is that long?" asked Nick.


"Depends on the type of case, Nicky. Actually considering this case, that's probably not too long a time."


"So this is good then?"


"That also depends." Jamie stood before Nick, who gave her an exasperated look. "I'm sorry I can't give you any answers, I'm not the one who has them. The jury does."


"Well, let's go find out what they have to say." Nick stood up, and gave Jamie a smile. "Okay," she agreed, "Let's go." Everyone stood up and nervously left the room and went into the courtroom. Kevin, Nick, Taylor and Jamie all sat down at the table. Jamie looked down to see Nick's hand reach for hers. She held it in her right hand, and smiled at him. He gave her a half-smile in return, then faced forward and closed his eyes.


"Madame Foreperson, you have reached a verdict?" asked the judge.


The woman stood up and replied, "We have your honor." She handed a piece of paper over to the bailiff, who gave it to the judge. He unfolded it, looked briefly at it, and handed it back.


The paper was returned to the forewoman. "Will the defendants please rise?" All four stood up, and faced the jury. Nick reluctantly let go of Jamie's hand. "All right then, what say you?"


"In the matter of State v. Kevin Scott Richardson and Nickolas Gene Carter, on the first count, sexual assault, we find the defendants. . . not guilty." A collective gasp went through the courtroom.


"On the second count, rape in the first degree, we find the defendants. . . not guilty."




Chapter 24 by old_archive


Nick still sat at the defense table, unable to take it all in. He was free and clear, he and Kevin both were. The jury believed in their innocence, and stated it publicly. The nightmare was over.


Well, at least one of them was, he conceded to himself. He still had a couple of problems, and he wasn't quite sure how he was going to deal with them.


When the verdict had been read, all four of them stood for a moment in shock, then reacted. Kevin sank down in his chair with a dazed look, Jamie turned and grabbed Kevin's arm. Nick also sat down, let his head fall backwards against the back of the chair, stared at the ceiling and whispered, "Oh, thank you." Taylor began gathering up her papers.


Then they all began celebrating. AJ, Brian, and Howie came over to them, and everyone began hugging each other. Nick had turned blindly, and found himself face-to-face with Taylor. She looked at him for a moment impassively. Nick said to himself, "What the hell, just go for it Carter." He reached out to hug her, and whispered, "Thank you, Taylor."


She accepted his embrace, but returned it mechanically. She stepped back from him as quickly as she could and said gravely, "You're welcome, Nick." She started to turn away from him, but he stopped her.


"Please Taylor, don't do this," he said, a small whine creeping into his voice. She shook her head, deliberately misunderstanding him.


"Nick, the trial's over. There's nothing more to do. You've been cleared, my job is done." Nick tried to speak, but she turned away and went over to Kevin and Jamie. Everyone packed up and decided to go back to Kevin's house to celebrate.


"I'll meet you there," he said quietly. Jamie looked at him concerned, "Nicky, are you okay?"


"Yeah, just overwhelmed. I'll be there soon, go on ahead, I'll catch up," he smiled faintly at her. Jamie nodded, hugging him again. Everyone else left so that he was the only one in the room, and he sat back down, resting his arms on the table, and his head on his arms.


Then there was his secret. He had been so afraid it would be revealed during this whole process, destroying everything. And even though it hadn't been, he still wasn't relieved, because it was still out there. It could still come back to haunt him, and that was his problem. . . "Nick," a hesitant voice broke into his thoughts.


Surprised, Nick looked up at the person who had spoken. "Yeah?" he said wearily. He hadn't heard anyone reenter the room.


"Nick, I'm. . ." her voice broke off. Then a whisper, "I'm sorry for everything."


Nick nodded, and her hand rested on top of his. "No one else knows about us, do they?" she asked.


"No. I never said anything, and I won't. You aren't going to, are you?"


"No. Things would just become even more complicated than they already are," she replied.


"Yeah, they would." They stared at each other for a moment. He wished things could be different, that she hadn't forced it to end this way, but there was no going back now, no starting over.


"Nick, can we start over?" her question echoed his thoughts.


He sighed and shook his head. "Considering everything that's happened, I don't think it's a good idea. I wish we could, but. . ." The hand left his, and he felt a sense of loneliness.


"I understand. Well, goodbye Nick. Take care of yourself." She walked away. Nick watched her leave, then put his head back down on his hands.


"Goodbye Molly."





"Feeling better, Heads?" Taylor smiled at her friend. They were at the airport, waiting for Taylor's flight back to Oklahoma City.


"You have no idea. I wish I could say I knew all along they were going to be found innocent," replied Jamie. "You did a great job, Taylor. Thank you for agreeing to help me. Well, to help Kevin and Nick. We owe you so much."


"Please, when have I ever turned you down, especially for something I was going to get paid for?" Taylor laughed. Jamie shook her head, but laughed too.


"Seriously, Jamie, I'm glad I could help. But we both did it you know."


"I know. We work pretty well as a team."


"Yeah, we did."


"That's what got me thinking," said Jamie.


Taylor laughed, "Oh no, that's always dangerous. I thought I heard a hamster wheel squeaking!"


Jamie gave her a playful shove, "Bitch. Really, I thought about it last night, we should work together more often, you and I."


Taylor raised her eyebrows in surprise. "You're moving to Oklahoma City? Kevin must love that idea."


"No, actually I'm going to move here to Orlando. Kevin and I were talking last night. . ."


"Is that what you're calling it now, talking?" Taylor smirked.


Jamie rolled her eyes. "If you would ever let me finish a sentence, Kevin and I were talking, and I decided that I should move to Florida. I don't want us to be separated anymore than we already are. I'm going to apply for admission to the Bar, and I'll be needing a partner for my new firm." She looked at Taylor pointedly.


Taylor held her hands up, "Me? I don't think so, Heads. Sorry."


"What? You love Oklahoma that much?"


"It's not that, Jamie. I'm established there, people know me and my reputation. I'm not sure I want to start all over again."


"Are you kidding me? Taylor, we just finished a high-profile case, how much more of a reputation do you want?" Jamie looked at Taylor, then she sighed heavily. "This is about Nick, isn't it. You don't want to be near him, right?"


"I never said that."


"You don't have to. It's been obvious for a while you don't like being alone with him or near him. You never did tell me, what really happened in Tampa?"


"I swear, Jamie this has nothing to do with Nick," Taylor sidestepped. "I'm settled in Oklahoma City, and I don't want to move right now. It's not a good idea, really. Besides, Mike. . ."


"Mike? Mike? He's the reason you don't want to do this? Are you really going to let him ruin your life?"


"He's not ruining my life, and I would appreciate it if you would stop harassing me about him." Jamie would have said more, but just then Taylor's flight was announced. The two girls got up, and headed for the gangway.


Jamie hugged Taylor, "I'm sorry. Thanks for everything again, but think about my offer, please."


Taylor shook her head, "All right, all right. I'll think about it, but I'm not promising anything."


Jamie gave a half-smile, "Fine, that's all I wanted to hear you say. I'll let it go for now. Have a good flight. Call me when you get home." They hugged again, and Taylor boarded the plane.


Jamie stood there until the plane left the gate. "Taylor, please think about what I've said," she thought to herself, "You need to do this more than you realize." Jamie watched the plane take off into the air, then turned and walked away from the terminal.





"Oh come on, that was funny."


"Jamie, I can't believe you still read the comic section of the paper," said Kevin. They were still in bed, sections of the Sunday newspaper lay scattered all around them. Kevin was reading the front page, while Jamie was giggling over Garfield.


"Oh yeah, this from a man who still laughs hysterically over South Park. Remember this the next time I accidentally call you while it's on, and you yell at me for interrupting."


"You won't have to call, you'll be moving here. You'll just be in a different room."


"Kevin, I meant here as in Orlando, not here as in your house. I told you how I felt about that." He leaned over and kissed her.


"Sorry, baby. I'll leave that decision up to you, and what you're comfortable with." He kissed her again, tapped her once on the nose which made her smile, and then they went back to reading.


Suddenly, he sat up. "Hey, there's an article in here about Lou and Molly." Jamie scooted up next to Kevin until she was reading the paper over his shoulder. She squinted at the print since it was on the opposite side of the paper from her, and asked him to read it to her.


"That's What She Said. . . ugh, why did they have to ruin a perfectly good song by making that the name of the article?" Kevin groaned. "Brian's gonna love that."


"Just read the rest of the article, please, I want to know what's going on," said Jamie.


"The whole thing or just the highlights?"


"Just highlights, I can read it later if I really want."


"Okay, let's see here," he began skimming the article. "After making a thorough investigation, the District Attorney's Office has concluded that nothing further can be done at this time. Evidence that was presented in the trial of Backstreet Boys Kevin Richardson and Nick Carter suggested that Miss Coughlin was paid by local record producer Lou Pearlman to fabricate charges of assault and rape against them. While it was enough to convince the jury of their innocence, the DA has decided it is not enough to link Pearlman and Coughlin in a conspiracy against Richardson and Carter at this time. The DA's office has declared this investigation closed, pending any new evidence being found." Kevin looked up with a stunned expression, "Does this mean that I think it does? He's being let off without any type of punishment?"


Jamie sighed, "I'm afraid so, darlin'. If they don't have enough evidence to prove that there was a conspiracy, it's a waste of their time to try and prosecute him when he's sure to walk away."


"Well, I know he did it and so does Nick. Can't we press charges and force the DA to prosecute them?"


She shook her head, "Not likely. If the DA thinks there isn't a case, there's nothing you can do about it. The DA has final discretion, and if he won't, you can't. I'm sorry." Kevin kicked the covers aside and got up out of the bed. He began pacing back and forth, grumbling under his breath. Jamie got up as well, and moved in front of him, wrapping her arms around his waist. He looked down at her.


"Kev, the DA's decision closes the case, but only for now. If they find new evidence, the case can be reopened, and charge him then. Look at it this way, if they went ahead now and he walks because of no evidence, it's over, he's just as free as you are. But if you wait and something else turns up, they can build a stronger case and get him. I know you're upset, but for right now this is the best option. Please have patience." He stared at her for a long moment, then nodded. "For now," he agreed.


Jamie let go and walked back over to the bed, getting back underneath the covers. She picked up the paper Kevin had tossed down, and scanned for the article again.


"What are you doing?"


"I want to see if there's anything else in the article." Flipping to the page, she folded the paper over and began reading. "Well, if it'll make you feel any better, Molly was charged with perjury. But her sentence has been suspended."


"No, it doesn't make me feel better, but thanks for trying."


Jamie just smiled at him and held open the comforter. "Oh, I'm not done trying, I think I can find another way to make you feel better."


Kevin looked down at her, her light brown eyes sparkling. He gave her a half-grin, and said, "Oh, I just bet you can, baby."



This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9804