I Promise by Lumien by old_archive
Summary:

Originally found on: BSB Attorneys

Summary: Unfinished sequel to Not Distance, Not Time.

Will Nick and Lexie be able to keep their promises when their love is tested over and over again?


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Group, Howie, Kevin, Nick
Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: Archived Author: Lumien
Chapters: 59 Completed: No Word count: 160554 Read: 81163 Published: 09/24/09 Updated: 09/24/09

1. Chapter 1 by old_archive

2. Chapter 2 by old_archive

3. Chapter 3 by old_archive

4. Chapter 4 by old_archive

5. Chapter 5 by old_archive

6. Chapter 6 by old_archive

7. Chapter 7 by old_archive

8. Chapter 8 by old_archive

9. Chapter 9 by old_archive

10. Chapter 10 by old_archive

11. Chapter 11 by old_archive

12. Chapter 12 by old_archive

13. Chapter 13 by old_archive

14. Chapter 14 by old_archive

15. Chapter 15 by old_archive

16. Chapter 16 by old_archive

17. Chapter 17 by old_archive

18. Chapter 18 by old_archive

19. Chapter 19 by old_archive

20. Chapter 20 by old_archive

21. Chapter 21 by old_archive

22. Chapter 22 by old_archive

23. Chapter 23 by old_archive

24. Chapter 24 by old_archive

25. Chapter 25 by old_archive

26. Chapter 26 by old_archive

27. Chapter 27 by old_archive

28. Chapter 28 by old_archive

29. Chapter 29 by old_archive

30. Chapter 30 by old_archive

31. Chapter 31 by old_archive

32. Chapter 32 by old_archive

33. Chapter 33 by old_archive

34. Chapter 34 by old_archive

35. Chapter 35 by old_archive

36. Chapter 36 by old_archive

37. Chapter 37 by old_archive

38. Chapter 38 by old_archive

39. Chapter 39 by old_archive

40. Chapter 40 by old_archive

41. Chapter 41 by old_archive

42. Chapter 42 by old_archive

43. Chapter 43 by old_archive

44. Chapter 44 by old_archive

45. Chapter 45 by old_archive

46. Chapter 46 by old_archive

47. Chapter 47 by old_archive

48. Chapter 48 by old_archive

49. Chapter 49 by old_archive

50. Chapter 50 by old_archive

51. Chapter 51 by old_archive

52. Chapter 52 by old_archive

53. Chapter 53 by old_archive

54. Chapter 54 by old_archive

55. Chapter 55 by old_archive

56. Chapter 56 by old_archive

57. Chapter 57 by old_archive

58. Chapter 58 by old_archive

59. Chapter 59 by old_archive

Chapter 1 by old_archive

"How is he?" Howie groaned to Leah as she stood in the doorway of the bedroom of the suite Howie had rented after the wedding.


She refused to enter the room. The stench had been so bad last night that she left his bed to sleep on the couch. It didn't help, AJ had gotten there first and she ended up in AJ's room of the suite.


"I think he's dead." She said, standing there with one and a half year old Caroline on her hip, her jean clad hips as slim as the day he met her.


"What?!" Howie gasped, lifting his head just a little too fast. He groaned and dropped his head to the bed again. He tried to open his eyes again, but his vision of her kept swimming before him.


"Well, I bet he wishes he was dead." She sighed.


"Aunt Leah?" Four and a half year old Alex asked, tugging on her shirt. "What's wrong?"


"Daddy and Uncle Howie are hung over." She smiled.


"Leah! Don't tell him that!" Howie snapped.


"Alex, why don't you go in the other room and get your Daddy." She smiled.


"He's in the bathroom."


"No doubt praying to the porcelain god." She smirked.


"Leah!" Howie growled.


"I rented the suite for another day. . ."


"Why did you do that? Check out is only at noon. . ."


"Howie, it's 3 in the afternoon. I wasn't going to carry the two of you downstairs." She said.


"It is?" he groaned.


In the distance, Leah could hear AJ retching in the bathroom. She smiled secretly to herself.


"Why don't you just take the children home. . ." Howie moaned.


"I can't. I promised Leighanne I was going to go shopping with her. You and AJ have to watch the children."


"We're in no condition to take care of the children." He groaned.


"That's hardly my fault. I think you better pull yourself together Howard. I'm leaving in 20 minutes and that's the last diaper change I'm doing on Caroline." She said.


"Leah. . . Leah! Don't you leave me with these children!" he protested to her back.


"I'm leaving in 20 minutes, Howard! And don't call Polly. She's coming with us!"


"Oh, crap." He groaned, trying to roll over.


"Can't you take them with you?" Howie heard AJ holler.


"No. Get up AJ!" Leah hollered back.


"Damnit!" AJ hollered.


"Don't cuss, AJ!" Howie yelled back, covering his own ears.



"Daddy? Are you okay?" Alex asked as AJ propped himself up between the toilet and the tub. What was left of his tux was stained and rumpled. He had no idea where the jacket, shoes and tie were. Only one of his feet had a sock on it.


"I'm fine, little man. Daddy's sick."


"No, Daddy's hung over." Leah said, coming up behind him.


"Leah, don't tell him that." He groaned. She could be a goddess, but right now she was the devil.


"I don't care what's wrong with either one of you. Get cleaned up, I'm leaving in 15 minutes." She said.


"Lee, you can't do this to me. Don't you have any feelings for me at all?" he groaned.


"Actually, no I don't. C'mon Alex, let's go color while Daddy and Uncle Howie take a quick shower." She said as Howie entered the bathroom from the adjoining bedroom. She closed the door with a bang and Howie practically toppled over.


"I'm glad I'm already on the floor." AJ said dryly.


"Move over." Howie said, sinking down.


"We better get up and get a shower." AJ sighed.


"Uh, huh." Howie grunted, but AJ knew Howie was falling back asleep on the cool tile floor. It looked too good, but he fought the urge.


AJ got up and began peeling off his own tux from last night. He sat Howie on the closed toilet and began to undress him.


"You know AJ. You're kinda cute." Howie smirked.


"Shut up, D." AJ grunted as he got Howie to his feet and yanked off his slacks and briefs.


"No, really. That whole little butt thing works for you." Howie chuckled as he flopped over AJ's back. AJ got Howie seated back down and began to run water in the shower.


They were both fully naked when Leah pounded on the door. Howie had gotten in the shower and AJ was trying to shave.


"You guys got 10 minutes!"


"I heard you, woman!" Howie snapped.


"Damn, you two are loud." AJ groaned, slamming the shower door shut on Howie. "Shit!"


"What happened?" Howie asked, opening the door. He saw the blood drip down AJ's cheek.


"I can't freakin' see straight." He moaned.


"I'd start with something that isn't sharp. Like your toothbrush." Howie chuckled.



Ten minutes later, Leah, with Leighanne and Polly standing behind her, opened the bathroom door to see the two of them pulling on their briefs over damp behinds. AJ said that she wasn't married to him so she couldn't see his naked rear end. She said that as the only woman on the planet who hadn't seen it, she shouldn't be denied the privilege of it another day.


Apparently, Polly and Leighanne agreed with her and heralded the event with applause. Luckily for them, Leighanne brought Fatima and Brian to help out. They sat with the children as Howie and AJ got dressed.


"These guys are so cute." Fatima giggled as Alex played trucks with Caroline.


"Don't get any ideas, little lady." Brian said.


"I'd like to have some." She said quietly.


"Someday. In the far future." Brian laughed.


"Do think Rachel or Kimmie are going to have any? What about Maleah? She'll never have kids." Fatima sighed.


"I don't know if they will or not. They all have plenty of time to decide that, just like you." Brian said as he watched his youngest daughter deep in thought. "What's bringing this on?"


She only shrugged her delicate shoulders, blonde curls falling loosely about her.


"You know you can tell me anything. You and me, we're the new Frick and Frack remember?" he smiled. She hesitated and then leaned back on the couch across from him.


"Drew wants to have sex." She said, not looking at him.


It was all he could do not to explode right there. What?! She's only seventeen! How could they be. . . of course they're thinking about it.


"We've discussed this before. You decided to wait until you were married." He said.


"I know. I guess I want to wait." She shrugged.


"Is he putting a lot of pressure on you?"


"Sorta."


"Well. I've told you before, I can't stop you from doing what you want to do. You're just about an adult and I won't always be around to help you get out of trouble." Brian said. "You're a smart girl. You know what you want and you know what you have to do to get it. You know how to be careful about these things."


"I know, I know." She said, color rising in her cheeks but she still wasn't looking at him. "Nick and Lexie had the most beautiful wedding."


"Weddings don't make a marriage. Nick and Lexie really love one another and have made a commitment to one another."


"Do you think they'll make it?"


"Yes. I do." He nodded. "What do you think you'll tell Drew?"


"Probably, 'no'. It's what I've been telling him for the last year." She sighed. "I just don't love him. Not like Nick and Lexie."


"That's the most important part. I know Drew thinks he's a singer and we've talked about my fame. It's going to attract people to you who aren't really interested in you, but who you know." He said. "You have a multi grammy winning artist and a record company owner in that bathroom over there."


"Who are puking their guts out." She joked.


"Well, besides that." Brian laughed with her. "They are two very powerful men in the business. AJ can work with anyone he wants and Howie can make anyone a star."


"I wanted to break up with him anyway. He's getting on my nerves." She said.


"I think you're looking for permission to break up with him, not to have sex with him." Brian smiled. "By all means, leave the jerk."


Fatima laughed at her father's antics. He was really good to her and she could tell him anything.



"Damn." AJ said quietly as he and Howie had their ears to the bathroom door.


"I know." Howie sighed.


"Brian's really good at this parenting thing." AJ said, straightening himself out. "Did Lexie ever talk to you like that?"


"Not about sex." He said. "I guess she always talked to Leah."


"You guess?"


"I don't know."


"You gotta talk to kids about this kinda stuff." AJ said.


"Who the hell are you? Father of The Year?" Howie grumbled.


"I'd talk to my kid about sex."


"He's four and a half."


"He knows about his pee-pee."


"Jesus! You call it that?" Howie gasped.


"He's only four and a half." AJ said.


"He's not the only one." Howie said, rolling his eyes.

Chapter 2 by old_archive

Lexie squealed with delight as she stretched out on the bungalow's massive bed. Nick's hands moved up her sides as he got off his knees and laid himself across her naked body. His sun-kissed skin was still warm from the sun as he pressed onto her body with his. He began to kiss her and nibble at her as she calmed. She wrapped her strong legs around him and enticed him to come closer. She could taste the salt on his skin from the ocean as she kissed his lightly freckled shoulder.


"I can't believe this is our last day." He moaned.


"Sh, you promised you weren't going to talk about it." She shushed him.


"I'm sorry, baby." He mumbled against her lips.


"You better make it up to me." She smiled, her brown eyes sparkling at him.


"Haven't I done enough for you?" he smirked.


"No." she giggled.


"How much more do you want?" he said slyly as he pressed to enter her.


"Whatever you have left." She smiled as she felt his familiar touch. He slipped a hand down to her bottom, lifted her hips to meet him, and took her to where he knew she wanted to go.



Two whole weeks of paradise: surfing, sunning, and shopping on AJ's money. . .being married. Lexie smiled to herself as she listened to Nick sing in the shower behind her. He had just started doing that on this trip. She crossed her arms across her chest and continued to stare out at the beach. Her engagement ring caught in the cotton string of Nick's shirt that she was wearing.


She looked down at it and the matching gold band that sat with it. She held it up to the afternoon sun and watched it sparkle.


"I proudly present to you Mr. and Mrs. Nickolas Gene Carter."


Without warning, Nick's arms snaked around her and he put his hand up with hers.


"Funny, I have one just like it." He said. Lexie stared at their hands and the matching rings. Nick took her hand and brought it to his lips. "I love you, Mrs. Carter." She closed her eyes and breathed in the salt air, his clean scent and his love. "What are you thinking of so hard, you let me sneak up on you?" he asked, wrapping his arms around her and resting his chin on her shoulder.


"Do you remember the first time I came to your house? We had lunch on the veranda. I had that suit my Dad bought. . ."


"Yeah."


"I just remembered how you smelled."


"I hope it was a good thing. . ."


"I. . .there was a moment there when you seemed to seep into my senses, into my brain." She said.


"Not your heart?" he asked. "When did you know you were first in love with me?"


"At the hospital, the night before the transplant; you were outside of Alex's room." She said.


"That far back?"


"I didn't understand it. . .I didn't know what it was. But that was it."


"I remember watching you walk into AJ's apartment that day. You look a lot like him and Amanda. . .I just knew what I had waited for my whole life had just walked into it." Nick said quietly.


It had truly been his whole life. A whole life of so many failed relationships that he finally came to believe that true love was something he would never have the privilege of having. Until CJ, then Lexie.


"Have you given any thought to what we talked about last night?" Nick asked.


"About having a baby?" she asked.


"Yes." He coaxed softly.


"I'm still not sure Nick. I mean, yes. I do, but I don't know about the timing." She stammered.


"Maybe we should just be less careful and just let nature take its course?" he asked, pressing closer to her.


"I'm sorry Nick. I'm just not ready." She said, trying to step out of his arms. He held her fast.


"Don't run away. I understand." He said. "I want this to be right for both of us."


Did he? Did he really understand? She snuggled back into his arms and he held her tighter. She closed her eyes and felt him tighten down even more with his arms. He did. She realized. DJ had been his child too. He had suffered the same loss.


"You know what I was thinking we should do today?" Nick asked, chuckling.


"Besides pack?" she asked, enjoying the feel of his body as it vibrated from his chuckle.


"We need to go back to that one beach on the north end of the island. That one where we night surfed."


"Surfed? We didn't surf that night. I remember someone taking off his trunks and deciding it was too cold to get in the water." She chuckled.


"You thought the water was too cold too."


"No, I just wanted to stay on the beach and make love to you." She said, turning in his arms. "I’m up for that again."



Clink. Clink. Clink. Clink.


Tina watched her #2 pencil rap slowly against her coffee cup. God, she was bored. She looked up at the mediator who was droning on and on.


This probably doesn't look good. She thought.


"Ms. Ryans? Are you even paying attention?" he finally asked. She lifted her elegant head off her hand and coolly looked him up and down.


"No. I'm not. I have no idea what you have been droning on and on about for the last 45 minutes." She sighed. "I didn't request you for this case, because I knew you would bore both of our clients to death. Mr. Layton, I'm sure both of these good people have better things to do than listen to you go on and on about the significance of their case. It's a simple acquisition. Give me what I want and we can all go home today."


"If you don't have the tolerance for these kinds of proceedings, perhaps law should not have been your first choice."


"Don't bring into question my abilities as an attorney. I have cleaned the floor with you more times than I care to discuss." She said, getting to her feet. Damn, I should've left my shoes on. "I want the stocks, the stock options and the acquired purchased amount since the stock split in June. Then, he can have the damn company and we can all go home."


"I'm not giving up my share of the profits for the last year!" the man opposite of her said, jumping to his feet.


"You didn't even own the company for the entire year! Mr. Stewarts, you know as well as I do that you aren't entitled to that money. My client sold you the company after the stock split and she is owed that money." She said calmly.


"You damn women always stick together!" he snapped.


"Trust me Mr. Stewarts, I'm doing this for the fee. If Mrs. Kelley had a penis, I would still want the money." She said. "I'm tired of this. It's 3:30; I'm hungry so I'm going home now. If you, Mr. Layton, and your attorney want to discuss this further that's fine. Mrs. Kelley and I have things to do."


Tina reached under the conference table, put her designer shoes on the table and gathered up her things. She gave her client's sleeve a tug and they left together amidst the noise everyone else was making.


"We just can't walk out like that." Mrs. Kelley said.


"I think we just did. I'm tired of their stupid ass games. Could you hold these?" she handed everything to the older woman as they entered the elevator. In the crowded elevator Tina reached under her skirt, pulled off her pantyhose, and tucked them in her shoes. She collected her things from Mrs. Kelley and proceeded to walk out of the building and through the parking garage barefoot.


She popped the trunk of her Porsche and threw everything in, pulling out a pair of slippers.


"How are we going to beat them if we don't even talk to them?" The woman persisted.


"Eva, listen to me. I've done a billion of these. They are just trying to extract money out of you by wearing you down. You built that company for 15 years after your husband died. It fed your children, paid your mortgage and put all 5 of you through college. You earned every red cent they are trying to take from you. You sold that business in good faith and they aren't holding up their end of the bargain." Tina said, slamming the trunk shut. "I hate bastards like that."


"My son said you're just doing this to keep up the fee. . ." Eva said.


"You want your money back? I'll call Jill from the car and have her cut you a check." Tina snapped. "I'll work the damn case for free, I don't give a rat's ass about your money. I don't need it. Look at this, this is a brand new this year's model Porsche. Even Jill and her teen-idol husband don't have one of these. Eva, you have to be strong. I told you this was going to be difficult, but we have to stick it out. Those bastards want to rip you off and I'm just making sure that you can retire well."


Eva Kelley sized up the fiery redhead before her. Kristina James-Ryans was young, barely 35 by her guess. She knew that Tina had two teenage daughters and had worked very hard to get where she was today. She knew what kind of reputation she had, that's why she had hired her.


"All right, I'm sorry. It was just nerve wracking in there." Eva sighed.


"I know. I'll handle the meetings from now on." Tina smiled.


"No, no. I'll see this through." Eva nodded.


"Good, you won't be sorry." Tina chuckled as the older woman left her to find her own car.


Tina got into her car, sat and breathed for a moment. She no longer was plagued by thoughts about self-doubt about these cases. She smiled to herself and began flipping through her CDs. Something fun and uplifting. . .the Backstreet Boys? How did that get in here?


Tina stared at the picture for the longest time. Millennium. God, that was 20 some odd years ago. This album was a re-release that one of her daughters had bought for her about a year ago for her birthday. She could've sworn she hadn't put it in the car yet. Tina shrugged, maybe she had.


She took it out of the case, slipped it into the CD player, and turned on the powerful car. It purred beneath her as she reached to turn on the stereo. Rich tones ofLarger Than Life greeted her with AJ's scream in the beginning. She amused herself with thoughts of him as she put the car in gear and proceeded to head for home.



"What happened?" Aaron said as Jill collapsed on the couch. Jane and CJ had climbed off Jill and were running outside.


"Tina walked out on negotiations for a client." She sighed.


"And this is different from another day?" he chuckled as he settled down next to her.


"I guess it's not. I just seem to be the one who always gets the earful from the opposing counsel when she does this kind of shit." She griped.


"Well, your name is on the door."


"It says, 'Carter, Carlson and Ryans', her name is on it, too!" she groaned, throwing back her head. She heard him chuckle and then she lifted her head.


"When are Nick and Lexie due tomorrow?"


"Around one or so. I have their flight information in the other room." He smiled. "Are you still going to be able to pick them up with me?"


"Yeah, it shouldn't be a problem. I'll swing by and get CJ and Jane from school." She said.


"It's been kinda fun having CJ around for Jane." Aaron said.


"It's nice not being stalked any more. That's nice." She said. She watched Aaron's hand run absently up her thigh to the edge of her skirt. His fingers kneaded up her thigh gently getting closer to her. She smoothed his cheek and closed her eyes to enjoy the feel of his hand on her. His lips met hers gently and she opened her eyes to his.


"It's been a long time." He whispered.


"I know, baby. I'm sorry."


"We've both been so busy." He groaned as he kissed her again. "Let's plan a vacation. We haven't had one in two years."


"I don't know if I can right now. . ." she began.


"Jillie, can't Sabrina or Tina take up the load? You have 12 other partners in your firm now."


"Everyone is so overloaded now. . ." she started to say. She saw the hurt in his eyes as he withdrew from her. After all they had been though with Nick, Lexie, and their own lives, he knew she kept putting him second.


"No, you're right. I need a vacation." She said, watching him turn back to her. "I'll talk to the girls and see what we can do."


"That would be great. Maybe we can make time for that baby we've put off for the last 10 years?" he asked gently.


Jill was surprised. She hadn't thought of that in years. She and Aaron had been together for 10 years, getting married when she was pregnant with Jane. She had just been 19 years old and both sets of parents were livid! Aaron had been by her side the entire time, never wavering from his commitment from her. He helped her through school and was there all those years as she, Sabrina and Tina struggled to get started. At 29, she had her one child, 9 year old Jane and she had put off having another for all this time.


Either school, the firm, Aaron's albums, tours or something had made them put if off. Jane was now 9, CJ was 7 and she was running out of time.


"Maybe." She smiled at him, thinking that it might be time to put everything else on hold for a while.



AJ walked around the empty house as the real estate broker went on and on about it. He liked it, but wasn't feeling really comfortable in it. He guessed it didn't matter; he'd only use it when he was in L.A.


She pointed out the large yard, the pool and pool house. The house was fully equipped and quite nice. He liked it, but it did seem a little big for just him and Alex. It had one master suite, plus 7 other bedrooms. One would be Alex's, one probably CJ's and then Howie's kids. . .and a couple guestrooms. It was only about 10 minutes from Nick and Lexie.


"What do you think, AJ?" she asked. He had forced her to stop calling him Mr. McLean.


"I like it. . ."


"But?" she quizzed him.


"Nothing. I like it. Let's go and make a bid on it." He smiled.



"Really? Sex?" Kevin chuckled. "Well you know what they say, B. When you raise boys you only have to worry about one penis, when you raise girls you have to worry about all of the penises."


"Stop that, Kevin! Fatima will do what's right." Brian laughed with him. Brian sat in his kitchen on the phone with Kevin as Leighanne cooked them dinner.


"What about your other girls?"


"You know Maleah doesn't have time for boys. The other two are working at Disney in Orlando this year trying to get a break." Brian said.


"How are they doing?" Kevin asked.


"Kimmie got Sleeping Beauty. I think Rach is selling in the store or something."


"Ew, tough break." Kevin laughed.


"How are the boys?"


"They are doing just fine." Kevin smiled as he plinked a few keys on the piano in front of him.


"How's Kristen?"


"She's still in Kentucky. We decided to leave the two younger boys in school in the States."


"Wow, you've been in London all this time alone?"


"Yeah. It's not too bad. I'm editing a film score for Drew's latest picture. . ."


"How is she as a director?"


"Drew Barrymore? Fine. We've done about 4 pictures together. She keeps things lively, that's for sure!" he chuckled.


"When do you think you'll be wrapping up there? Nick's coming to Orlando in two weeks to start working on his album. I've got some finishing touches on mine and AJ's gonna be there to do some producing for Nick and a couple other Jive acts." Brian said.


"Probably not until late March."


"Late March? Kev, you gotta at least come for a visit." Brian whined.


"No, I've got to work through this. It won't be that long. Howie has already sent me some files to work on for arrangements. . .I'll be right there." Kevin chuckled.


"Oh, all right. Well, Leigh sends her love."


"You send her mine. I'll talk to you later."


"Later, Cuz." Brian joked.


"I'll see ya'." Kevin said in return.


Kevin hung up the phone and set it on top of the piano he was sitting at. His gaze traced over the empty London loft he had purchased years ago. His eyes circled the room until it fell back onto the keyboard he was sitting at.


He wished he knew what March would bring when he returned home. He wasn't sure any more. He wasn't sure he wanted to know.

Chapter 3 by old_archive

"Okay, let me see if I get this right. You want time off to go get pregnant?" Tina asked.


Jill rubbed her eyes again, trying to explain it to Tina one more time. The headache she had was making it tough to even see her, posed in her expensive designer suit. Red, as usual.


"Is that really so tough to understand?" Sabrina asked her. "Not all of us are done having babies."


"Some of us haven't even started." Tina said back to Sabrina.


"Stop it, both of you!" she snapped. "I have enough of this crap with Aaron and his mother! Yes, Tee, I want a two week vacation at the beginning of March and if I get pregnant then or later, I will want more time off."


"We'll get everything lined up." Sabrina said.


"Well, this is just great!" Tina snapped, getting to her feet. "And what are we going to do with the work load? We are barely holding down the fort over at corporate legal services."


"So, let me get this straight!" Jill snapped, getting to her feet to meet Tina's challenge. "As long as you're in some kinda crisis, we have to be supportive and take up your work load! If I want to do one little thing for myself and my husband in 10 years, I can't!"


"I haven't had those kinds of problems in years!" Tina yelled.


"Not since your ex-husband died in prison, yes I know. I'm the one who put him there!" Jill yelled back.


Sabrina saw Tina almost cringe. When things had been bad, really bad, Jill had forfeited everything to be there to take care of Tina. They had both seen her through so much.


"I’m sorry, you're right." Tina said quietly, lowering her eyes.


"Tee, girl, I don't want this to be difficult. I promised Aaron years ago I'd have another child. Right now, Jane is 9 and I didn't want this kind of age gap between children. He really wants this. He talked about it all night." Jill said, sitting back down.


"Is it what you want?" Tina asked.


"Yes. When Nick and Lexie lost their baby, then they got married. . . yes. I want to do this. I love Aaron and Jane. I want to have another baby with him." Jill said, dropping her head in her hands.


"I'm sorry. That was stupid of me." Tina sighed, walking to the window of Jill's office and looking down at the city.


"I'm sorry I said what I did about your ex." Jill said to her back.


Tina only shrugged her shoulders.


"What are we going to do about the work load?" Sabrina asked them both.


"Let's take on a couple more lawyers." Tina said.


"There are some rumblings that Lisa Andrews might want to come west again." Jill said.


"Really?" Sabrina asked.


"Her work with SDR is going well, but her conflicts with Jive are starting to cause Howie some legal problems. He's taken on about a dozen of Jive's acts since the trials started." Jill said. "They are starting to slap him with contract violation lawsuits and whatnot."


"SDR is big enough to handle that." Tina said, turning back to the other women.


"Yeah, but he's taking on Nick too. He's putting a lot of resources into Nick's next album. I'm thinking that Howie and his company might be Jive's next target." Jill said.


"If you need me to help out, you know I will." Tina said.


"Thanks. He may need a few more sharks in his tank." Jill said. "I don't know anything other than what Lisa's told me. Lexie isn't involved with Howie's company and Nick'll be new there. . ."


"Have Lisa keep in touch with me. I've done plenty of entertainment contract work." Tina said.


Sabrina had been quiet most of this time. Supportive as usual. Jill looked over at the little brunette beside her. She had been Jill's best friend since before college; she'd been around longer than Aaron and his crazy Carter family.


She wasn't the force that Tina was in the courtroom with corporate raiders and mongers; then again, she didn't have Tina's motivations. Sabrina Carlson's practice was Family Law. Defender of women, children and even men when they needed her. And Jill? She was pretty much a "Jill of all trades" as they liked to tease her. She kept the balance between the two extremes: Tina and Sabrina.


"I'll tell her." Jill smiled.


"What's so funny?" Sabrina chuckled.


"Who is going to keep you two in check if I’m ever gone?" Jill laughed.


"I can hold my own." Sabrina laughed, knowing her dry sharp tongue could hold Tina's temper in check.


"That you can, woman." Tina giggled, remembering how she had rallied the troops for Nick's plight.



Nick was clutching Lexie's hand as usual as the plane descended into LAX. The drinks he had taken in first class weren't quite enough to calm his flight nerves. He seemed a little more nervous than usual.


"Baby? What's wrong?" Lexie asked. He let go of her hand and flexed his fingers.


"Oh, gesh, I'm sorry." He muttered.


"Nick? What's up?"


"Nothing. . .no really, it's nothing." He sighed with a slight smile after seeing her concern.


"You're a little more uptight than usual." She said gently. He gave a great sigh.


"I think I'm a little nervous to see CJ again."


"Why?" she asked, completely puzzled.


"Well, because we're married now and you'll be living there. . ."


"Nick, I've been living with you for eight months."


"I know, I know. It's different now."


"Well, yeah, we're married but what's going to change that much? I took this quarter off from school and I'll be around a lot more. I'll still take her to school and we'll go do things like we always did."


"I. . .I'm worried about her."


"Why? What's wrong?"


"I don't want to talk about it here. Tonight after we're home and she's in bed." He nodded.


"Okay." She smiled. "We can talk later."


At home. She reached over, took his hands, and gave them a great squeeze. He spared her a little smile and leaned over to rest his head on her shoulder.


Jill and Aaron were at the airport with the children to pick them up. CJ ran into Lexie's arms and then into her Dad's. The adults hugged and actually made it to luggage pick up before the press found them. Aaron loaded everyone up in his car and they drove off, away from the flurry.


"You guys have a good flight?" Aaron asked, looking over at Nick in the front next to him.


"It was fine." Lexie said. Aaron chuckled.


"I don't know, Nicky here is looking a little green." He teased.


"Shut-up, Aaron!" he groaned, but Lexie could tell his stomach was upset from the landing.


"So, how was Hawaii?" Jill asked.


"It was beautiful. I hadn't been in years! AJ picked the best hotels; we went to every island. We had great weather. . . it couldn't have been more perfect." Lexie smiled.


"You guys look so tanned." Jill laughed.


"You look beautiful, Lexie." CJ beamed as she nestled into her arms.


"Well, thank you, sweetie. I hear you're doing great in the spelling contests." Lexie said.


"I studied just like you told me to. I got third place last week."


"Third! Jill didn't tell me that! That's great!" Lexie laughed, hugging her.


"I did a model for science class and I got an A!" Jane said from the front seat between Aaron and Nick.


"You did? What was your model of?" Lexie asked.


"It was of the life of a Maple Tree. We did this whole class project about trees and the environment." Jane said.


"You're really good in science, Jane." Lexie said.


"I want to be a doctor. I've got to be good in science!"


"A doctor?" Nick chuckled. "Not a lawyer like your mom?"


"Naw, that's boring." Jane said, looking up at Nick. With that, everyone started laughing.


"How about being a singer like your Dad?" Aaron asked.


"Naw, I don't like people following me around all the time." Jane said seriously.


"It's more than that." CJ said. "Uncle Brian said it's a lot of work, like going to school."


"Uncle Brian's not that famous." Jane said.


"Uncle AJ is!" CJ protested.


"Uncle AJ is weird." Jane said back to her.


"He is not!" CJ continued to protest.


"That's enough!" Aaron laughed. "AJ is not weird. . ."


"He is too!" Jill laughed.


"Jill, don't encourage her!" he smiled. They were all laughing as Aaron pulled up in front of Nick's house. Nick and Lexie's house, now.


Aaron and Nick carried their bags inside and up to the master bedroom. They opened them up and distributed the presents to the girls and Aaron and Jill. The rest were sorted out to be mailed later. Jill and Lexie took the girls downstairs for some juice when Aaron pulled a felt jewelry box out of Nick's carry on. He opened it up and let out a low whistle.


"Hey!" Nick snapped, trying to get it from him.


"Those are some serious karats, my brother." He said, staring at the diamond necklace in the box. He snapped it shut and gave it back to Nick, who tucked it into his nightstand. "For Lexie?"


"Of course." He smiled.


"Has she seen it?"


"No, of course not. I found it in Maui. I'm gonna give it to her when I leave to go to record in Orlando."


"She's not going with you?"


"No, we decided to keep CJ in school here. She's been through so much, we need to stabilize her life now." Nick smiled.


"How you going to make it without your wife for all that time?" Aaron smiled, plopping himself on the bed as Nick sorted through the dirty laundry. Nick stopped sorting and smiled. "Oh god! Now he's going all goofy eyed on me." Aaron moaned, throwing himself back on the bed.


"She's my wife." Nick blushed at Aaron's dramatics.


"No shit. I was there!" he laughed at Nick.


"Shut up, Aaron! I've never had a wife before." Nick joked, carrying the dirty clothes into bathroom to toss down the chute.


"Yeah, it's about time." Aaron muttered.


"What did you say?" Nick asked from the bathroom.


"Nothing!" he hollered back.



"Mom?" the young girl asked of her absent-minded mother. She waited another heartbeat. "Mom? Mom, are you okay?"


Tina looked back at her daughter and smiled. "I’m fine, baby. I was just thinking. Where's Willow?"


"She's still in her room finishing her homework." The 15-year-old redhead said to her in that soft musical voice of hers.


"What can I do for you?" Tina smiled.


"I need you to sign these so Willow and I can take Driver's Ed this quarter." She said, slipping the paperwork on the kitchen table, under her elbow.


"Driver's Ed? You two aren't really old enough are you?" Tina chuckled, knowing both of her girls were old enough.


"Mom!" the girl moaned.


"It's okay, I'm just teasing, Becka!" Tina laughed, reaching for a pen.


"You're gonna have to get me and Willow's birth certificates so we can get learner's permits."


"I know. I'm familiar with the law." Tina chuckled as she filled out a paper for each of them. Becka threw her arms around her mother.


"Thanks, Mom!" she squealed.


"Hey! Don't think I’m gonna let either one of you drive the Porsche!" Tina laughed as Becka squeezed the last of the air out of her.



Nick and Lexie tucked CJ into her own bed for the night and headed downstairs to finish the conversation from the flight home. Nick and Lexie settled into the den as she started the computer to check the email.


"So, what did you want to talk about on the plane?" Lexie asked him.


"CJ."


"I know you're worried about something, what is it?" she asked.


"Christine."


"Her mother? What? Has she contacted you?!" Lexie asked, turning in her chair to face him as he sat on the couch going through the mail.


"No, no. Not at all! I don't understand with all the publicity why she hasn't yet. Especially with you and me getting married. . .I just can't help but think that she might one day."


"Well, I guess that could happen." Lexie nodded, giving him her full attention.


"I was hoping to talk to Jill tonight. We've got some legal issues to work out with us getting married."


"Really? Like what? You wouldn't let her write up a pre-nup."


"Oh, I don't need one of those." He said, waving her off. "I'm concerned about my will, and custody of CJ if something was to happen to me or you for that matter. I want to make sure you two are taken care of."


"Nick. . ."


"We already know these things happen, Lex. Look how you fell and we lost the baby. Howie had that stroke a couple years ago. AJ has gotten sick. . ." he sighed, "I just want to be prepared. Right now everything is in my name and I know my mother would challenge you for custody of CJ."


"Who would get her now?"


"I think it is Jill and Aaron first, then Angel." He said. "Aaron had Jane before I had CJ and it made sense. Mom was pissed, but it was my decision."


"Concerned with what she would do?"


"With CJ? Yeah, kinda. She might try to get her into the business. I want CJ to decide for herself. Being born to famous parents isn't a one way ticket to fame for yourself." He said. "I wanted her to have a sister or something. Jill and Aaron seemed like the most logical choice."


"When was the last time you wrote your will?"


"When Christine left. It was necessary so if I died and she came back, Jill and Aaron would have something to fight with to keep CJ in the family." He said.


"What are your plans now?" she asked. He put the mail aside and got up to walk over to the desk where she was sitting. He hiked his hip up and sat, leaning up against the desk. Lexie couldn’t help but notice how he had begun to twist his wedding ring.


"That's what I wanted to talk about. If anything happens to me, I want you to have everything, of course. You'll need it to survive and take care of CJ." He said. "I'd like you to adopt CJ."


"Really?"


"It makes sense. I mean, you are her stepmother now and you're really the only mother she's known. After Chris left, I haven't had anyone near her. I didn't trust anyone to take care of her. It would make it perfectly clear to my family who I want to raise her if I can't."


"I. . .I'm flattered Nick. Really, I am." She said stunned, looking up at him.


"Then you'll do it?" he asked her.


"Of course, I'd love to."


"Good, we can talk to Jill in the morning and she can work on it before I go to Orlando."


"You mean Sabrina. We'll have to have Sabrina work on it."


"Why?"


"Aaron didn't tell you? Jill's taking time off from the firm in March. She and Aaron are going to try to have a baby this year." Lexie smiled.


"He didn't tell me that! That dog!" Nick laughed.


"I don't think he wanted anyone to know yet. I think Jill's getting pretty excited about it and spilled the beans." Lexie smiled.


"Jill say anything else about it?"


"No, but she asked about our plans. . ."


"And you told her what?" he smirked, leaning down to kiss her lips gently.


"I'm sorry, Nick. I'm not ready. . ." Lexie began to stammer, getting to her feet.


"Sh, sh, it's okay, Lexie. I know." He soothed her, taking her in his arms.


Nick could feel Lexie's heart pounding in her chest as he held her. He didn't want this for her. He wanted her to have all the happiness he could give her, but he realized that there was still some healing to do. As hard as he tried, he couldn't make the pain go away, but he would try to smooth the bumps as they came. Nick kissed the top of her head and squeezed her one last time before she settled down to read email from everyone.


He got off the desk and walked back to the couch, that matter settled at least. He sat down and continued his shuffle through the mail. He glanced up several times to see her, head on her hand shuffling though the email. Her dark hair resting over the shoulder in a ponytail, not unlike his own. She was beautiful and he was madly in love with her.

Chapter 4 by old_archive

Sabrina was gracious enough to squeeze Nick and Lexie in the next day to discuss the changes that Nick wanted to make. She had laughed when Jill set up the meeting, joking that she was wondering how she was going to fill her one 'outta court day'. Jill felt safe directing them to her, knowing what Nick wanted to do and Sabrina would be careful on how she would break the news to them. Sabrina was well versed when they asked about Lexie adopting CJ.


"Well, I can draw up the papers. . . are you sure you want to do this?" Sabrina asked from the couch opposite of them.


"Of course." Nick said. "Lexie is my wife now. . ."


"I'm not saying that Lexie doesn't have every right to adopt CJ, but I have to warn you that Christine has rights too. Unfortunately, that comes into play. In order to have Lexie adopt CJ, Christine has to sign over all her parental rights. We'd have to find a way to contact her. Are you sure that's something you want?" Sabrina asked.


"Even after all these years?" Lexie asked.


"She's CJ's mother. No court can change that and neither can time." Sabrina said gently.


"She practically abandoned the both of us. Sabrina, I haven't heard from her since she left CJ here that day." Nick said tersely. Sabrina could see the tension building and tried to head it off.


"If you had been married, then perhaps it would be different. Then you could have called it abandonment and had her rights voided." Sabrina said.


Nick was becoming agitated and got to his feet and began to pace. Lexie sat where she was and watched his turmoil begin.


"Nick?" Lexie asked, watching him wind up.


"I'm not ready for that. I can't deal with her right now." He said to Lexie, his voice beginning to quiver. He didn't want to say 'no' to her now, not when he had said he had wanted this.


"I understand. Let's get the other papers drawn up and take care of that. As long as CJ is protected now. . ." Lexie said, "Come sit down."


Nick sat down next to her and she slipped her hand onto his arm. He have her a desperate half smile and then refocused back on Sabrina.


"Yes. She can come back and protest Jill and Aaron, but she wouldn't stand much of chance. She might get visitation, but not full custody."


"If we do contact her and she says she wants CJ, can she get her?" Nick asked.


"There is a possibility, but it's very slim. She's been absent all of these years, but visitation would still be in the picture. There would be no doubt in the courts that you're a fit father and step mother, but a judge would give her a chance to be a parent." Sabrina said. "Nick, I have to ask. Do you know where Christine is? Has she ever contacted you?"


"No. I spoke to her on the day she left and that was it. I mean it. I did find out she was in New York a couple years ago, because Brian ran into her."


"Have you ever tried to contact her?"


"In the beginning, but to be honest with you, I knew very little about her. I don't even think that Christine is her real name. I couldn't find her parents or anyone in her family. I tried, but I gave up. I didn't think she'd go away for this long." He said. "How would've I known things would end up like this?"


Nick was leaning forward, his elbows on his knees. He was twisting his wedding ring violently around his finger. Lexie and Sabrina both could see his hands begin to shake. He sat back and crossed his arms across his chest in an attempt to soothe himself. When Lexie touched him, he just wanted to shrink into her arms.


He couldn't bear to lose CJ. He couldn't risk it and he doubted they understood the depth of his fear. Just the idea of losing her. . .


"Do you know how far Jill went in looking?" Sabrina asked.


"Not very far. She just thought like we all did that she'd come back eventually." Nick said, no longer able to contain his voice from shaking.


"Look, why don't I get these notes drafted for your changes to your and Lexie's wills and we won't touch the part about CJ yet. You guys will need to go home and talk about this." Sabrina said, getting to her feet. Nick started to get up but she shushed him back down. "I'll have my assistant bring you two some coffee and I'll be right back."


Sabrina stepped out of her office and asked her assistant to get them some coffee and leave them alone for a while. She took her notes and headed to Jill's office. She knocked and Jill called her in.


"How's it going?" Jill asked.


"Nick is delaying the adoption."


"That's what I thought would happen." Jill said, sitting back in her chair.


"I had to tell them we'd have to try to contact her mother first."


"How'd he take that?"


"Not well. He's falling apart in there right now. He's shaking like a leaf. I had Star take them some coffee and I'm giving them a little air. The rest is pretty standard." Sabrina sighed.


"Well, you can imagine how scared he is of losing her. She's all he's had for years until Lexie." Jill said. "Want me to go talk to them?"


"No, they'll go home and talk about it." She nodded.


"You okay?" Jill asked.


"I think so. I just can't help but think that he's such a great father and she can come back any time and get visitation and maybe even custody from him." She snapped.


"You know the chances are real slim." Jill said.


"I know, but it's still there." Sabrina sighed, leaning against her desk where she sat.


"Makes you glad you never got married or had kids, huh?" Jill smiled. Sabrina just rolled her eyes at her best friend. "Between me and Tina, you haven't had the best role models."


"That's not why I never did it. . ." Sabrina began.


"I know. There is a mister right for you." Jill said.


"Yeah, but he's probably in jail."


"Well, then I guess it's a good thing you're a lawyer." Jill laughed.



Sabrina came back about 20 minutes later and let them go. The ride home was quiet. Lexie had to drive because Nick was still upset. He wasn't hungry for lunch, so she took him straight home.


CJ was at school and Cook had left a note welcoming them back, but now she had to go shopping. Nick simply walked into the house and sank into a couch. Lexie followed him into the living room and sat on the coffee table in front of him. She reached up, brushed a couple of hairs from his face and tucked them behind his ear.


"Honey, you going to be okay?" she asked, taking his hands. They were icy cold and he was still shaking.


"I'm sorry. I can't stop thinking about Christine coming back and taking CJ away from me."


"You know Sabrina said she had a very slim chance of getting custody of CJ." Lexie said.


"What if she kidnaps her on a visitation or something. . ." he said, his voice rising.


"Nick, Christine hasn't contacted you in nearly 7 years. Seven! That's a long time. It's too premature to be worrying about things like that." Lexie said softly.


"I know, but what about CJ? She has never, ever asked about her mother. You know I have no idea what she knows or doesn't know. I know when we told her about the baby that she was concerned that you were going to leave too. I know she knows her mother left her. . . what would having Christine come back do to her? And what if we can't find her and she never knows what happened?" he said. He finally looked up and Lexie gave him the best answers she could.


"The questions will come. I can promise you that." Lexie said, speaking from experience. "As a matter of fact, I can almost promise you that they never have gone away. I think she doesn't ask, because she doesn't want to hurt you. That's why I gave up asking about AJ. I suddenly realized one night that look on Howie's face was pain that I was causing. That's when I knew he was as 'real' as a Dad I was ever going to get."


"Do you really think she doesn't ask because of some loyalty to me?"


"I can almost guarantee that." She nodded.


"Has she ever said anything to you?" he asked.


"No. Never. I've never asked her either." Lexie said.


"Do you know what you're going to say if she asks?"


"It depends on the question."


"You know. We're going to have to explain this whole thing with you and AJ pretty soon." Nick said.


"I know. That may bring everything to the surface." Lexie sighed.


"Now that she's in school, people are going to talk about us. Her classmates. It's not a secret AJ is really your father." Nick said.


"I know. He doesn't quite feel like my father, though." She said.


"He doesn't?"


"No. Howie is. AJ is like. . . a friend. A favorite uncle." She sighed. "If I step out of line, if anyone is going to offer an opinion about my life, it's going to be Howie. He's my Dad." Lexie said, letting go of Nick's hands and getting to her feet. "He was with my mom, but AJ was never around. Even when my mother was alive. He was almost like my father, then with the fight when he found out about us, it hasn't felt the same."


"I had no idea."


"Don't get me wrong. I love him to death! He's absolutely wonderful, but he's not my Dad." Lexie said, turning back to Nick.


"Do you think CJ will feel the same about her mother?"


"I don't know. It's hard to say. You two are very close." Lexie said.


"I don't know what to do, Lex." He sighed, burying his face in his hands. She went to him and put her arm around his shoulders.


"Think about it a while. I know you'll make the right decision." She said quietly.



Nick ended up working down in the studio for the rest of the day until Lexie went to pick up CJ at school. He heard his girls come bounding down the stairs and CJ was the first to burst in and run up to him with papers flapping from her hands.


"Look, Dad! I got an A in math and English today!" she squealed, waving the papers in front of him.


"That's great, honey. Let me see." He said, getting the papers from her. He smoothed out the wrinkles and looked them over. "CJ, this is great. I can't believe you only missed one math question!"


"Can we go to McDonald's for dinner?" she asked quickly.


"I think we can!" Nick laughed as she jumped into his arms. "Go change into some play clothes and we'll go get in the truck."


"Okay!" she yelled, running out of the studio and back up the stairs.


"She's doing great." Nick smiled.


"Yes, she is." Lexie smiled back.


"I'm so worried, Lexie. I don't know what to do." He sighed, setting her papers aside.


"It'll come to us. We'll figure this out." She said, watching him get to his feet slowly. He looked grim. "Let's go scan those and send them to AJ and my folks before we go."


"That sounds like a good idea." He nodded, picking them up and handing them to her.


They all piled into the den where Lexie scanned the papers and sent them out. AJ called immediately and chatted with CJ, congratulating her. They went on for about 20 minutes.


"Really, Uncle AJ? Did you really buy another house here?!" she suddenly squealed. Lexie and Nick smiled at one another. "When can I come over?"


"I don't know for sure. Should be in about a month. I've gotta wrap up the paperwork and everything on it." He laughed.


"Where is it?" she asked. "Is it close by? Do you think I could ride my bike there?"


"Well, I'm not sure. It might be too far for that. It's about 10 minutes away by car."


"Do I get my own room?"


"CJ!" Nick admonished her.


"Tell your Dad, 'yes'. You get your room there!" he laughed.


"That's great, Uncle AJ. Can we paint it pink, like the one in Orlando?"


"You bet, honey. Anything you want!"


"CJ! That's enough!" Nick said, taking the phone from her. "Hey, AJ."


"Hey, Nicky, how the hell are you? Or do I need to ask?" he joked.


"We're doing great. So, you got another house out here?" Nick asked.


"Yeah. I was just in town and picked it out. I wanted it kinda close to Lexie and CJ."


"Well, it'll be nice to see you too, AJ." Nick chuckled.


"Oh, no man! No hard feelings. You know you're welcome anytime!" AJ said quickly.


"I know. I just think you're after my women." Nick said to lighten the mood.


"Of course I am!" AJ laughed. "Speaking of which, is my babygirl there?"


"AJ?" Lexie asked, as Nick handed her the phone.


"Hey, Babygirl. How you doing?" he asked.


"Oh, AJ. We had the best time! Thank you so much!" she said. "We had great weather and everything was just perfect thanks to you!"


"It's the least I could do." AJ said.


"No really, thank you. You don't know what this has done for us." She said.


"I'm glad you enjoyed yourself." He smiled.


"So, tell me about the new house. Where is it?" she asked. They chatted for another 10 minutes before they had to go to dinner. They exchanged their 'I love yous' and hung up. Lexie had to run to catch up with Nick pulling out of the garage.



The sun was setting on another perfect Orlando day. Leah barely noticed the vibrant colors as she worked in the kitchen getting ready for dinner.


Howie was fast asleep in his chair before dinner was ready. He had actually made it home early this night. Leah had asked him to be home for bedtime because the children were missing him. He had agreed before he left early this morning.


"Mom?" John asked her as she stirred the stew.


"Yeah, honey?"


"Dad fell asleep in the living room."


"I know. He's tired right now."


"He said he'd play basketball with me today."


"I know. After dinner, okay? Let him sleep a little." She said.


"Mom?"


"Yes, Tyler?" she sighed as her other son piped in.


"Can I call Lexie?"


"Yes, but after dinner. John, go get Caroline, please?" she asked the oldest boy.


"Are you gonna wake Dad?" John asked.


"No, not yet." She sighed.


John left to get Caroline out of her crib and Tyler climbed up into his chair at the dinner table.


"Mom?"


"Yes, Tyler." She sighed, setting the table.


"When are Lexie and Nick going to come visit?" he asked.


"Nick will be here in two weeks to work in the studio." She said.


"Will he be staying here or at Uncle AJ's?"


"I don't know for sure. He might stay in a hotel."


"Can he stay here?"


"Why honey? Do you miss Nick?"


"Yeah. He always plays basketball with us." Tyler said, fidgeting with his spoon.


"Your Dad will play with you after dinner." She said.


"He's too tired all the time." He groaned. "He's always so grumpy."


"I know. He's working very hard at the record company." She tried to explain.


"Can't he come home more? He used to all the time."


"I'm sure once Nick gets here and AJ is working on his album, Daddy will be home more." Leah said. "I know you miss your Daddy. He's trying to get home more." Tyler just shrugged his shoulders.


Leah got the children settled for dinner and went to wake Howie. She gently shook his shoulder.


"I'm awake." He mumbled, lolling his head towards her.


"Dinner's done. You hungry?" she asked quietly.


"Yeah." He sighed, getting to his feet.


"The children are excited to see you tonight." She smiled.


"I know. I heard." He sighed heavily.


"I'm sorry, honey. They miss you. You've been working more and more." She said gently.


"I miss them too." He nodded, taking her into his arms. "I can't get away right now."


"I know." She said into his chest. He pulled back and lifted her face toward his.


"Are you okay?" he asked, "I have been away a lot."


"I'm fine. I miss you."


"Are we okay?"


"Oh, yes. Of course." She said.


"I couldn't do this without you. I love you, hon. I miss being here with you and the kids terribly." He said, taking her back into his arms. He missed everything about her.



"What are you doing here so late?" Sabrina asked Tina. Tina looked up at her partner and then at her watch.


"Would you believe I'm buying a car?" she laughed, pointing to the computer screen.


"What for? The Porsche not cutting it?" Sabrina laughed, coming into her office.


"It's for the girls. They have Driver's Ed this quarter."


"My god! Are they really that old now?" Sabrina laughed, sitting on the corner of Tina's desk and peering at the computer screen.


"You know. I'm sorry about what I said yesterday. I don't know what got into me." She said.


"I know. It's okay. I wonder about it myself sometimes." She nodded.


"I don't. I think you're too pretty and too smart for most men." Tina chuckled.


"Yeah, right. I'd believe that if I had your legs." Sabrina chuckled back. "Are you looking at that Jeep?"


"Yeah, but I think I'm going to go with a sedan or a wagon or something."


"How about a Volvo? They have good safety records. You can get a four door if you want."


"That might be a way to go." Tina nodded, accepting Sabrina's change in subject.


Tina studied Sabrina out of the corner of her eye as Sabrina cruised the Internet for cars with her. Soft chestnut hair piled softly about her face with just a hint of blondness to make her a little edgy. She always wore a softer cut of suit than Tina did. She was very feminine, nothing like Tina any more. It was all about power and winning. Tina doubted she had anything else left in her that resembled Sabrina.


"You know, Beana, you work too much." Tina said suddenly.


"What are you talking about?" Sabrina laughed.


"I'm sorry. That just sorta came out." Tina laughed at herself.


"You sounded like my mother this past Christmas." Sabrina laughed. "I don't need more of that."


"She nagging you about a boyfriend?"


"Any man, are you kidding? She can't understand how I could move all the way out here to L.A. and be so successful and not date."


"You go out."


"I know! I told her, but she thinks I should be at least living in sin or something." Sabrina said.


"Maybe you should have an affair with a married man. This way, you'd have a boyfriend and it would be sinful enough for her." Tina teased.


"The idea is to get a man, be happy, have a couple kids. . ."


"We are all not Jill Carter." Tina smiled.


"She's blonde." Sabrina smiled back. They both nodded knowingly. That was their fall back line in case they ever had to tag team an argument with Jill. "Aw, here's a good one." Sabrina said, pointing to the screen.


Tina swiveled back to where she was pointing. Although Tina stopped believing in the kind of love others dreamed of, she still believed others would find it.


Even Sabrina.

Chapter 5 by old_archive

The alarm buzzed by his head and Howie slapped it off. He turned back toward the center of the bed, hoping to wrap his arms around a certain warm body. Small feet connected with his thighs and he cracked open his eyes.


His second son, Tyler was sound asleep between him and Leah. Howie couldn’t even remember him getting into bed with him. Leah stirred to get up and Howie brought Tyler into his arms. Tyler obliged him by snuggling closer. Howie knew he had to do something; he was missing too much of his children’s lives working like this.


Leah got up, pulled on her robe, and looked back at Howie and Tyler. She knew how bad Howie felt. For him, family always came first, but the current business climate was keeping him at the office more. He had been upset when he missed Caroline’s first steps. She walked to his side of the bed and learned in for a kiss on Howie’s cheek.


"How long has he been here?" Howie whispered.


"Since around 2." Leah whispered back.


"Daddy?" Tyler asked.


"What Ty?"


"Can you stay home today?" Tyler asked, looking up at him. Howie closed his eyes and held Tyler close again.


"Not today, but you have to go to school. I’ll be home early."


"You promise?"


"I promise." Howie said, new tears burning his eyes.



Jill stared out the huge picture windows of the restaurant where she would be meeting the others for lunch. Fine beige linen suit gave way to the dark wine colored one of Tina's and the gentle blue of Sabrina's.


"I’m glad you guys could make it." Jill smiled as Tina and Sabrina had seats at the table.


"Nothing says, 'I want you to be there' like 'I’ll buy you lunch.'" Tina smiled.


"What’s up? You pregnant already?" Sabrina teased.


"No, not yet." Jill laughed.


"The way you and Lexie talked about them, you’d think those Carter boys had the Midas touch." Tina teased. Sabrina laughed with Tina as Jill turned six shades of red.


"Okay, stop it." Jill giggled.


"Well, it’s not like we don’t know what you guys are doing every night." Sabrina continued.


"Stop it." Jill laughed with her embarrassment.


"Okay, okay. What’s the little pow-wow about if it’s not about Baby Carter." Tina said.


"It’s about Lisa Andrews." Jill smiled.


"She’s coming west after all?" Sabrina asked.


"Yes, but Howie probably just found out. She’s resigning today when he gets in. I haven’t offered her anything firm, do you guys still want her?"


"Why all of a sudden?" Tina asked.


"Well, it’s not all of a sudden, she’s actually called me a couple times. I get news through Aaron’s record company too. According to Lisa, now that Jive has lost their cash cow to SDR, they are looking at a hostile takeover."


"This is insane! When are those guys going to leave Nick alone?" Tina snapped.


"Well, Howie offered the contract to Nick after Lisa advised him not to. He's also signed a about two dozen other of their acts and paid their attorney fees to get them out of their contracts with Jive. They are after him as well as my dubious brother-in-law."


"That’s just business, right?" Sabrina asked.


"No. It’s personal." Tina sighed. "What has Howie said?"


"He doesn’t know yet." Jill sighed.


"Not about Lisa, about the takeover."


"Lisa says he doesn’t believe it could happen. She’s been watching the stock changing hands. . ."


"I better look into it." Tina said.


"I think you better. After Lisa resigns, she’s going to tell him to call me."


"He’s gonna be pissed you wooed her away." Sabrina said.


"Probably, but that’s just business. Her daughter Missy is going to school up in Seattle and the other is ready for a change. I think Lisa is ready to get out Orlando." Jill said, "Which brings us to our next topic. Do you guys still want her? And do you still want to start up the Entertainment Law division?"


"With you leaving, do you think this is such a good thing?" Tina asked.


"Well, I’m only going on vacation and you two are full partners. I’m not suggesting we make her a partner. . ."Jill said.


"Well, I want her. I think an entertainment law division would be good for the firm." Sabrina said.


"But that’s just more work. . ."


"Well, we have a responsibility to our employees to keep the firm in good financial shape. They have families to support, just like we do." Sabrina said to counter Tina.


"I’m with Sabrina on this. It’ll be good for the firm." Jill said.


"I’m in." Tina nodded. "What else?"


"So, I take it Lisa is in, good! Next? I think we better look into signing Sweet D. Records and getting Howie Dorough on board." Jill said. "I don’t want my brother-in-law to be unemployed again."


"I assume you want me to take care of that?" Tina said.


"Yep. Here’s his card, see what you can do." Jill said, handing it to him.


"Piece of cake." Tina smiled.



The house was dead quiet all around Nick. He noticed that even Marcus and Anthony were gone as well as Cook who was out running errands. Lexie had taken CJ to school this morning and went to a job interview with her former roommate, Gina, afterwards. That left him all alone in the house and he was where he usually went when he wanted to think. The nursery.


The would-be nursery.


They hadn't papered the walls yet, but the rolls of wallpaper still sat in a bag under the unmade crib. It had been nearly a year and Lexie had mentioned this morning that it might be time to put these things away. He thought she was worried about him because he did spend time in here for hours just rocking in the rocking chair he had bought when CJ was born. He always liked this rocker, because he had had it custom made for his long legs. He ordered the ottoman for Lexie to make it easier for her to rock when she was pregnant.


His toe would tap it periodically as he rocked.


"Nick?" Lexie asked quietly as she stood in the doorway of the nursery. He was sitting in the rocking chair, rocking and looking out the window. Tucked into his lap was a little stuffed pink bunny he had bought her for DJ early on.


"Hmm?" he said, not looking over at her.


"You been in here all morning?" she asked.


"No, I took some calls." He nodded absently.


"You okay?" she asked.


"Huh? Oh, yeah, I’m fine." He said, finally smiling at her. "How’d your interview with Gina go?"


"Fine. It was only for presentation purposes. We've worked together before and she knows what I can do." Lexie said, walking into the room.


"When do you start?" he asked as she sat on the floor across from him.


"After you leave." She nodded. "It's just a temp job, like I said. About six weeks to clear out this one huge estate she has coming into the auction house. Nick, what are you doing in here?"


"Uh..nothing." he stammered, the bunny in his hand. His head dropped to his hand and he rubbed his eyes. "I was missing her, that’s all."


"Are you ready to start packing these things away?" Lexie asked.


"No." he said, barely audible. "I’m not ready yet."


"Okay." She choked. "It’ll all be here when you get back, I promise."


"Maybe you should just do it while I’m gone." Nick said.


"Is that what you want?"


He just shrugged, lifted his head and looked out the window. Lexie could see the unshed tears in his eyes as the sunlight filtered onto his face.


"Will you be back for the trial?"


"I think so, I haven’t talked to Howie yet." He nodded.


"They are only calling me to testify. . ."


"I’ll be here for you." He said. "I want some security. I don’t want you to get hurt again."


"I bet Aaron would do it."


"He probably would, but he needs to get on with his life and quit taking care of me." Nick said.


"Nick, you know Aaron loves you and would do anything for you."


"I know."


"Talk to Dad, see what he says. We’ve got over a month."


"I know." He nodded.


"Nick, what is it? What’s wrong?"


"I don’t know." He said, finally giving up trying to hold it in. "I’m worried about CJ and the trial and recording. . ."


"Nick, we’ll talk to CJ tonight about me and AJ. There is nothing we can do about the trial and the recording, well, we all know you’ll be brilliant." She said, getting up to sit on the ottoman at his feet.


"It’s been years, Lex. . ."


"I know, but this album is going to be a hit. Think about it Nick, you have complete creative control over it. When was the last time that ever happened? Huh? Never!"


"AJ is going to be there."


"Oh, he’ll produce a few songs, but you don’t even have to use them if you don’t want to." Lexie said. "Besides, if AJ can get you out of those god awful suits, I’ll be eternally grateful to him."


"A couple more tattoos maybe?" he chuckled.


"You have enough of those." She smiled. She got up and sat in his lap. She took the bunny from his hands and held it in her lap. She fussed with it a long while before she spoke again. Nick wasn't looking at her, he was continuing to stare out the window feeling the silence between them. "Next year, maybe after you’re home from the promotional tour. . ." she began quietly.


"What?"


"We can try for another baby." Lexie said shyly.


"Really? Are you sure?" he asked, suddenly full of more hope.


"Yeah, I’m sure." She smiled. He pulled her close and kissed her.


"What about your Masters. . ."


"I can still work on it. I’m not really in that much of a hurry for it any more. Not going to school has freed me up to take the estate assignment with Gina at the auction house. I miss the hands on." She shrugged.


"I know you still have your own dreams, regardless of marrying me." He said.


"My dreams are wherever you are." Lexie said.


"Lexie." He whispered.


"The line is real blurry where I end and you begin. You know that, Nick." She said.


He pulled her close and kissed her gently, but earnestly.


"What did I do? What did I do to deserve you?" he groaned against her lips.



"I wish you’d reconsider." Howie sighed, letting Lisa’s resignation letter slip from his fingers and onto the desktop.


"I can’t."


"Jill Carter finally got to you?"


"No, I went to her. Howie, it’s better this way. I’m just a liability to you and you know it."


"You know I don’t believe that." Howie said, getting to his feet. "There aren’t many people I would trust with this company."


"I know and I appreciate it." She smiled. "But Missy is at school on the West Coast, Regina is looking forward to a change. It’s good for you and it’s good for my family."


"You still think they are going to try a hostile takeover?" he asked, crossing his arms and learning against his desk.


"I know they are. It’s industry talk. I told Jill my suspicions, Howie."


"Why did you do that?!"


"I want Tina Ryans out here to help you."


"That redhead?"


"Yes, the one who helped Nick."


"I don’t do her kind of business."


"I know you don’t, but Jive does. She speaks their language and they are still licking their wounds from the last time. Let her help you."


"I don’t think I want that for my company."


"Howie, it won’t be your company for very long if you don’t do something." Lisa said sternly. "I know you want your children to have a future."


"You’re pulling out all the stops." He smiled darkly.


"I’m right, Howie. You know that. I can’t help you, but she can. Orlando is no longer the happy little competitive community it once was. Things have changed Howie. Jive Records wants SDR, but moreover, they want Nick Carter."


"You told me that."


"I told you signing him would be dangerous."


"He’s a good friend, hell, he’s my son-in-law now!" Howie chuckled absently.


"I know." Lisa nodded. "Nick is still a viable entertainer, don’t get me wrong. Jive stills sees him as their cash cow and now he’s living in your pasture. They know he will make you a lot of money, Howie."


"Provided I still have a company?" Howie asked.


"Yes, provided you still own this company." Lisa nodded.



Nick and Lexie let their honeymoon continue that brief afternoon, sneaking away to their room for a session of lovemaking. Lexie lay marveling at the strength of his arms that surrounded her. She traced her finger down his arm to his watch, then turned it to check the time. She tried to pry his arms off of her, but he held on tighter.


"Nick!" she giggled. "Let go of me! I have to go pick up CJ."


He pulled her back to him, his warm flesh pressing against hers.


"Let's send Cook." He whispered hotly in her ear.


"I can’t. I promised to take her shopping." Lexie said.


"For what? What could that child possibly need?" he groaned, throwing himself back on the bed dramatically. "Oh, no Lexie!" he said, sitting up quickly.


"Nick! She’s just a little girl. I know you hate your birthday, but she really wants to get you something!" Lexie groaned back, sitting up as well.


"You aren’t planning a party or something are you?"


"No, no." she said.


"Yes you are!"


"I’m not, I swear."


"But someone else is. . ."


"Your mother called. . ."


"You made a pact with the Devil?"


"Nick!" Lexie scolded. "It's just family, a few friends. . ."


"Not if my mother is planning it." He groaned.


"Nick, I approved the guest list myself."


"How many?"


"About 30."


"Thirty people? I don’t know 30 people." He groaned, flopping back down.


"Yes you do." She laughed at him. "And they are fun people too."


"Who?"


"Well, your family and a few people from the your fan club. . ."


"Fans?!"


"Fan Club!" she sighed. "Nick, this is vital to getting your album out. . ."


"You did make a pact with the Devil!" he said, getting out of bed.


"Actually that was my idea." She said, getting out on her side.


"What for?"


"I haven’t seen Karen and Nikki in ages!"


"Great, my wife and the president and vice-president of my fan club hanging out together. . ."


"Well, yes. I figured I might has well have some fun." She said, pulling her clothes on with a laugh.


"You know I hate this."


"I know and if you don’t act surprised, I will kick your ass."


"You’ll what?"


"You heard me!" she said, pulling on her shoes.


"That I’d like to see." He laughed, getting up and walking toward her. "Wooo, I’m so scared."


"I’ll tell your mother."


"You wouldn’t."


"I would and I will. You will show up to the party, you will be surprised and you will have a good time. Is that clear?" she said, getting to her feet and turning to put her hands on her hips.


"No." he smiled, putting his hands on his naked hips.


"I have your mother’s phone number programmed into my cell phone."


"You won’t do it."


"I won’t? It should go something like this. . .Jane, it’s Lexie. . .your oldest son is being a party pooper and won’t come. . ."


"Very funny, Lex." He laughed.


"Please be good about this? CJ is very excited about it." Lexie finally smiled.


"For my girls, I’ll go and even, maybe, have a good time." He smiled, leaning over to kiss her goodbye.


"Thank you, Nick."


"Thank you, Lexie." He smiled with a wink. "And don’t get me another watch!" he called after her.


"I’m not getting you another tie either!" she yelled back.

Chapter 6 by old_archive

CJ hung from Lexie's arm as she tried to skip through the mall, her dark blue school uniform skirt bouncing as well. Lexie and CJ rattled off a number of things they thought Nick might like, but none of them were quite right.


"What are we going to get him?" CJ sighed as they sat down for hotdogs after walking the mall hand in hand.


"I haven’t got a clue!" Lexie sighed with her, trying to squeeze some mustard out of the container on the table. "What do you get a guy who has everything?"


Lexie looked up in time to watch CJ’s crystal blue eyes follow someone behind her and she turned to see a heavily tattooed young man.


"Maybe we should get him a tattoo!" CJ laughed.


"You two are on the same wavelength today, I swear!" Lexie laughed. "No more tattoos."


"Maybe you should get one!"


"No, between Nick and my dad, there are enough tattoos in this family." Lexie said without thinking.


"Howie has a tattoo? Oh, you mean Uncle AJ." CJ said without skipping a beat.


"CJ? How much do you know about AJ and me?"


"I know AJ is your real dad, I mean, like, he was with your mom." CJ said, sipping her soda.


"How did you learn that? Your dad and me never talked about it with you. . ."


"Jane told me. I heard Uncle Aaron and Aunt Jill talking about it once when you ran away. Then there was that big fight you and AJ had when he found out about you and Dad." CJ said. "John told me that Howie wasn’t really my grandpa, that AJ was."


"What did you do?"


"I hit him." She said casually.


"You what?!" Lexie said.


"It was at the wedding, it was a long time ago. You aren’t going to tell Dad are you?"


"Well, no." Lexie smiled.


"Uncle Brian made us apologize."


"That’s good." Lexie said. "Cee, you got any questions about me and AJ?"


"Well." She began, then stopped as she gave it some thought. "If AJ is your real dad and Howie is like your adoptive Dad, which one is my grandpa?"


"Well, both of them I guess." She shrugged.


"I can’t call them both Grandpa."


"I guess not. You don’t have to call AJ Grandpa."


"I can’t keep calling him ‘uncle’ either. Gesh." CJ sighed dramatically. "What do you call him?"


"AJ. Sometimes, Dad."


"Do you have different names for them?"


"No, Howie is Dad and AJ is. . .well, usually just AJ."


"I know it’s been a long time since AJ’s been your real dad, but don’t you think you should call him that?"


"Well, that’s what I call Howie."


"Maybe we better come up with a different name for AJ." CJ said, chomping on her hotdog. "Like Poppa or Poppy or something."


"That might work."


"We could use the same one! Sometimes AJ isn’t very smart. He might get confused."


"Well, we’ll explain it to him." Lexie laughed.


"Lex, what’s it like to be adopted?"


Damn, there it was. The gate to the path Nick was so afraid of and she's standing there alone without him.


"I don’t know what you mean." CJ was quiet and then Lexie had an idea where she was going. "I guess it’s okay. I mean, I had a home with Howie and Leah."


"How come you couldn’t live with AJ when your mom died?"


"Well, he thought it would be better if I lived with Howie and Leah."


"How come?"


"He was young and scared. . ."


"AJ?"


"You have to remember this was a long time ago. Long before you were even born." Lexie said.


"How come Howie was better?"


"Howie is a little older than AJ."


"Were you mad at AJ?"


"Yes, for a long time." Lexie answered honestly.


"But you’re not now?"


"No." Lexie smiled. "I love him very much. What happened in the past isn’t important."


"I know for a long time I remember Dad talking about the others, but never saw anyone but Brian. I met Kevin a couple times at Brian’s, but. . ."


"I know. A lot of that had to do with me."


"How come?"


"Well, when I went to live with Howie, a lot of people thought it was a bad idea, especially since AJ was my real dad. They were mad that AJ didn’t want to take care of me."


"Were you mad?"


"Yes, I was, but I’m not now. No one is. You see, as mad as we were with AJ at the time, it turned out to be the right decision. Howie is a great Dad and I love him very much. AJ is a great Dad too. I got a lot of opportunities I wouldn’t have had if I had stayed with AJ, including a Mom and brothers and the big family I got with the Doroughs."


"Isn’t it better to be with your real Dad?"


"No, sometimes it’s not. Sometimes it’s important for adults to take care of children that aren’t in their family."


"I wouldn’t want to live with anyone other than my own Dad." CJ said.


"I know. I can’t complain." Lexie shrugged.


"I guess you’re lucky you got two dads." CJ shrugged.


"I think so." Lexie said, watching CJ. She never mentioned Lexie’s two moms.


"I only have my Dad." CJ said.


"You have me." Lexie smiled softly.


"Well, you." CJ sighed.


"Gee thanks." Lexie laughed.


"You’re not like my. . .Dad, you’re like my friend." CJ said, looking up at Lexie.


"Thanks, CJ. That means a lot to me." Lexie said.


"It’s like you and me look out for Dad together." CJ smiled.


"It’s a two person job these days, isn’t it?" Lexie joked.


"He’s gonna get into trouble in Orlando by himself."


"I know. We’ll just call him everyday and have AJ go over and bug him." Lexie laughed.


"Maybe I should get him a new phone?" CJ said, "He likes all kinds of new gadgets. Maybe there is one he doesn’t have, that’s really new."


"Might be a plan."


"What are you getting him?" CJ asked.


"Promise not to tell?" Lexie smiled and CJ crossed her heart. "I’m not going to give him this at the party, probably right before."


Lexie dug around in her purse, pulled out a small ring box, and opened it for CJ.


"Wow." CJ sighed.


"My friend Gina found it in the estate she’s working on. You remember, G, don’t you? Any way, it’s an antique man’s wedding ring made in China. It’s already engraved with our names, look."


Inside the ring was an inscription CJ could barely read;


To Nicholas, all of my promises, Alexandria


"His name is spelled wrong." CJ said.


"I know, but it wasn’t made for our Nick with a ‘k’."


"For another Nick and Lexie?"


"Yes." Lexie nodded. CJ looked at the intricate Chinese dragon wrapped around the outside in gold.


"This is around 100 years old." CJ said.


"Yes, very good."


"I could tell by the kind of dragon they used. Wow, Lexie, that’s really nice." CJ sighed. "I don’t know what I’m gonna get him."


"Oh honey, he’ll love anything you give him." Lexie said, sorry she had brought it up.


"I just don’t know." CJ sighed dejectedly.


"Well, we could both give him this."


"No. . ."


"Sure, let’s go to the jeweler and have your name put in there, too."


"That will ruin it!" CJ said, knowing that altering it would lower the value.


"No it won’t. You remember me telling you that personal pieces are less valuable if they are personalized. Besides, it’s not the dollar amount that’s important. It’s the thought behind the gift. It would be perfect if both of our names were on there. ‘Christine’ will fit right in there." Lexie said.


"You think so?"


"I know so. You know he always thinks of us as ‘his girls’. This is it, CJ! It’s the most perfect idea." Lexie smiled. "Then we can give it to him at the party."


"You were going to make it special."


"It won’t be as special if you’re not in it with me." Lexie said.


"I don’t want to take your present."


"You’re not, don’t be silly. We both love your Dad very much. This is really perfect, Cee, I know it is!" Lexie said. "C’mon. Let’s go get it done."


CJ agreed, but she also picked out a couple new picture frames so he could take pictures of her and Lexie with him to Orlando.



"You are home early." Leah laughed as Howie came in to the kitchen.


"I said I would be." He snapped, picking up Caroline who was clutching on to his leg.


"Eww, bad day?"


"Why do you ask that?"


"I just got my head bit off?"


"I’m sorry, Lisa Andrews resigned today."


"What?!" Leah said, wiping her hands dry. Howie told her the whole story, with Caroline squirming on his lap. The boys came in and washed up before dinner, extracting promises of playtime with Dad before bed. The family had dinner together, Howie played basketball with the boys and then they put all the kids to bed together.


"She goes to bed so much easier than the boys did at that age." Howie smiled as they stepped out of Caroline’s room together.


"I know. She’s such an angel." Leah smiled with him. She reached up and touched his bearded cheek.


"Just like her mama." He smiled back, leaning over to kiss her. He caught her in his arms and pulled her into a passionate embrace.


"Don’t Howie, I’m a mess." She scoffed gently.


"You’re fine." He laughed quietly. "C’mon." He took her hand and led her to their bedroom.


"I’ve got dishes downstairs. . ."


"They can wait." He smiled as he walked in with her in tow.


He coaxed her over to the bed, where they laid down across the bedspread and he took her in his arms and quietly held her. It was a time of gentle touches and gentle kisses until Howie finally took her mouth passionately, breaking off only when a soft sob escaped her.


"Baby, what’s wrong?" He asked concerned.


"Oh, Howie." She cried, throwing her arms around him. He rocked her gently, trying to ask her what was wrong as she sobbed. "I’m sorry." She finally said wiping her eyes.


"What’s wrong? Leah, please tell me." Howie said softly.


"I just miss you so much. Do you know how long it’s been?"


"Too long, I can tell." He said. "I’m sorry. This isn’t what I promised you when I married you. . ."


"I love you, Howie. I just miss you terribly." She said sniffling.


"I love you, baby, and I miss you just as much." He said, closing his eyes to kiss her softly on her salt covered cheeks. "Let’s go to Paris this year. Just you and me like we used to."


"What? You can’t get away! Caroline is too young. . ."


"No, I was thinking. Let’s go in early April before Lexie goes back to school. She and Nick can stay here with the kids. . ." he smiled.


"What about the studio. . ."


"It’ll be there when we get back. What do you say? We haven’t been in years. . ." he smiled.


"Nick would have to pull CJ out of school. . ."


"That’s his problem." Howie laughed. "I only care about making you happy."


"Howie we just can’t run off. . ."


"Who says?" he laughed harder.


"You’re nuts, you know that?"


"For what? Wanting to make love to the most beautiful woman in the world in the most romantic city in the world? I don’t know, makes perfect sense to me. Maybe we’ll get even luckier this year. . ."


". . .and what?"


"Have another child. . ."


"Now I know you’re nuts. . ." she laughed, gently pushing him off.


"I just feel bad that Caroline is so much younger than the boys. She needs someone close to her own age. . ."


"Howie, we were pushing our luck with Caroline. . ."


"We scored with that one, we can do it again."


"You really want to try and have another baby?"


"I do. I really do." He smiled. "I want another little angel just like my beautiful wife."



Lexie sneaked CJ in the house and she ran upstairs to hide Nick’s presents. Lexie found Nick out on the deck, stretched between a deck chair and a table. His long tan legs stretched out from khaki shorts. He was gazing out into the backyard with the cordless phone in his lap. She could also see the pink tip of a pink bunny ear, hidden in the crook of his arm.


She stood inside admiring the strength in his body as he sat there. He looked around for a moment, saw her, and she smiled. He pulled his feet to the deck and got up, sitting the little pink bunny in his seat. Lexie went out to him and was surprised when he didn't open his arms to her.


"You guys back?" Nick asked, driving his hands into his back pockets.


"Yes."


"Get everything done?"


"I think so."


"Where’s Cee?"


"She ran upstairs. She should be down in a minute."


"You girls eat already?"


"We grabbed a couple hotdogs. Nick, are you okay?"


"Daddy!" CJ yelled running onto the deck. He knelt down on the deck and she ran into his arms. Lexie saw him hold on to her as if he was afraid to let her go. He closed his eyes and just held on to her. "Dad! Dad, you’re hanging on too tight." CJ finally said.


"I’m sorry, baby." He smiled, letting go of her. He smoothed a couple of loose strands of her blonde hair from her face.


"Dad? You okay?" she asked. He smiled weakly and nodded yes. "I don’t think so."


"I’m fine, angel." He smiled, sharing a chaste kiss on the lips with her. "You want to go get ready of bed? I’ll come up and read to you."


"Will both you and Lexie come up?" CJ asked, looking back at Lexie.


"We’ll be right behind you." Lexie smiled. CJ kissed Nick again and ran back into the house. Lexie watched Nick get slowly to his feet.


"What is it?" Lexie asked.


"Christine’s lawyer called. She wants to see me." Nick said quietly. He had walked to the edge of the deck and planted both of his hands on the rail, leaning his weight on them.


"Oh my god, Nick." Lexie gasped, gripping his arm. "Did you call Sabrina. . .?"


"No, not yet. . ."


"She has to be there. . ."


"I know." Nick choked. His arms came up and crossed in front of him, hugging himself. "Oh god, Lex. I can’t lose her. I can’t live without her in this house everyday."


"I know, I know baby. Did he say what she wants?"


"No, just that she wants to see me. What else could it possibly be about?" Nick groaned. "There is no other reason for Christine to come into my life. I’m sorry, Lexie, I’m sorry all of this is happening."


"Don’t be ridiculous, Nick. You can’t control this. . ."


"I didn’t want this to be the way we start our marriage. . ."


"Nick, please! I married you with my eyes wide open. I knew this was going to happen. . ."


"Dad? Lexie?" they heard CJ ask from the doorway. The three of them just stood there silent for the longest time.


"You ready for bed?" Nick asked.


"Yeah. I got a book."


"Okay, let’s go then." He smiled, taking Lexie’s hand tightly. CJ stopped him at the door.


"What were you guys talking about?" CJ asked.


"Just grown up stuff. Nothing for you to worry about." Nick said.


"I love you, you know that, right Dad? Just like I promised." CJ said suddenly.


"I know honey, I love you too." He choked, kneeling down to take her in his arms and pick her up.


"Don’t cry, Dad, okay? It’ll be okay." She said, tightening her grip on his neck. A short sob escaped him.


"C’mon, let’s go read us a book, okay?" Lexie said. CJ kissed Nick’s temple as they walked through the house and upstairs.


Nick and Lexie got through the book and CJ asked them to stay until she fell asleep. They all laid down on her narrow bed and she snuggled between them. In the dark room Nick touched Lexie’s face, ran his fingers through her hair, and traced her lips with his thumb. He caught the moisture on her cheek, bringing it to his mouth and, tasting it he knew they were tears.


When he was sure CJ had fallen asleep, he began to get out of her bed. Lexie followed him out into the dark hallway. She walked past him, but he caught her by the arm. He silently wiped her cheeks as a brief sob escaped her. He took her in his arms and choked back his own cries.


"I love her so much, please don’t let them take her away." Lexie choked.


"No one is taking my daughter away from me." Nick whispered harshly. "No one."

Chapter 7 by old_archive

Nick was so deathly quiet this night, that it was beginning to scare Lexie. He had withdrawn in a way she had never seen before. He left their bed shortly after he thought she had fallen asleep and she heard him go next door. He left, went downstairs and returned to the room next door. Lexie knew he went down to get that bunny. DJ’s bunny. For the first time in her life with Nick, Lexie cried alone.


How could this be happening? They were finally so happy together, how could something like this come along and ruin it? Lexie knew Christine was always out there and that it would probably only be a matter of time before she appeared, but Lexie had prayed it would be when CJ was much older, not now. How was she going to deal with CJ’s mother coming back into their lives? How would she deal with his ex-lover being in his life again?


Lexie wiped her eyes and rolled over to face the door she had seen Nick leave from. She’d have to find away, she wouldn’t lose Nick like this, or CJ. She wouldn’t be so weak and so immature and prove their naysayers right. She and Nick were meant to be together. She fell asleep with her thoughts and fears haunting her.


It was probably an hour before the alarm was supposed to go off when Lexie woke with a start. Nick had come back to bed and stirred when she suddenly sat up. His hand reached up and pulled her arm, trying to draw her back into bed. She leaned over and kissed his sleep warm cheek, but turned to get out of bed. She pulled her robe on and walked to the windows that overlooked the back yard into CJ’s play area. She looked back and saw Nick, who had dropped off back to sleep.


Had Christine done this? Had she woken and watched him sleep in that bed? In this room? Lexie looked around and realized that this room hadn’t changed from their first night in it. It was still bathed in his blues and creams, the same bed, the same knick-knacks, but with pictures of her, Nick and CJ and not Christine. So many of her things were still in storage, but she had so few. He had bought her a new computer; new clothes and he had even gotten rid of her old car her Dad had bought.


Lexie realized that this was her house and her husband and she’d better take possession of them. She’d better start walking her life like she owned it. The honeymoon was over and it was time for her to get to work. Work to keep her family together and work to make sure they were happy. The clock said she still had 45 minutes before she still had to get up.


She pulled off her robe, removed her pajamas and climbed back into bed. She pressed her naked form against him, slipping her hands down his drawstring pajamas. He moaned and woke rather quickly.


"What?" he mumbled.


"Time to wake up." She whispered.


"Huh?" he grunted and she was loosening his drawstring. "Lex?"


"Good morning, Nick." She said warmly, pulling the pajamas from him.


He kicked his legs free of the covers as she crawled on top of him. He was still wiping the sleep from his eyes as she took his morning erection. A deep groan in his morning voice rumbled through her. He gave her a sleepy smiled and closed his eyes to enjoy her gentle ministering, her movements slow and sensual.


"Damn girl." He muttered, reached to get hold of her hips. Her dark hair cascaded down her body, tickling his knuckles. He could feel his orgasm building inside of her. "Damn." He came slow and easy as he arched his hips into her. Lexie lay down on his chest, his arms wrapping around her. "Good morning, beautiful." He whispered.


"Nick?" she asked.


"Hmm?"


"I want to redecorate." A low chuckled rumbled through him and she looked up into his face.


"Baby, you didn’t have to do that to get to redecorate." He chuckled.


"I didn’t!" she admonished him gently. "I did that because I saw you sleeping there and I wanted you."


"I’m glad." He smiled, his blue eyes sparkling at her in the dim morning light. "Honey, I don’t care what you do to the house. Hell, it could probably stand some updating."


"A little." She smiled as the alarm buzzed on her side of the bed. With a moan, she rolled off of him and slapped it off.


"You know, screw this place. Let’s just get one in Orlando." He said, propping himself on his elbow.


"You mean, like a summer home?"


"No, like a real home. What would you think about moving there?" he smiled.


"Oh, Nick!" she said, throwing her arms around him. "I’d love that. I miss my family so much and it would be great for. . .CJ." she said, suddenly quiet. "I can’t do that to her. Her friends are here, she’s in school, Jane is here, not to mention your family."


"She’d adjust, kids always do. My family can fly to Orlando to see us. Hell, Leslie still lives in Tampa anyways." He shrugged. "I’ve always traveled so much that we’re used to being apart. I want you to be happy." He smiled, tapping her nose.


"I couldn’t ask you two to do that. . ."


"It’s not just about me and CJ anymore. You’re in this family too, you know." He smiled. "Beside career wise for me it makes sense. I mean, my record company is there, a lot of my friends are there and family. Your family. I mean, I am Howie’s and AJ’s son-in-law."


Lexie laughed gently.


"I think we have to deal with Christine before we try to make any decision." Lexie said grimly.


"I had almost forgotten about that." He sighed.


"We can do this Nick, we can get through this." She said, reaching to touch his cheek, rough with his morning beard.


"I know. I can do anything with you at my side." He said, kissing her lips. "I was up all night thinking about it. I saw your beautiful face and I realized I didn’t have worry about anything. This is going to be hard, Lex, really hard."


"I know hard, I do hard." She smiled. "Bring it on."



Nick was surprised by Lexie’s fervor, but he could tell she was still scared. Hell, so was he. Losing any part of CJ’s life would just kill him and he didn’t know who this woman was anymore. Who was Christine James seven years later that he should even consider letting her be a mother to CJ?


Nick showered and decided he was the one who was going to take CJ to school this morning. She was very excited and dragged him inside to meet all her teachers again. She gave him the grand tour of the school and they ran into Jane who did a running leap into his arms. He took them both to their classes and signed a few autographs in the parking lot on the way back to the car.


He settled into the car ride home and reached to dial Lexie at home. She had agreed to tell Sabrina for him so he had the time to spend with CJ. It gnawed at him that he should be the one to handle this, but he knew he had to let it go to keep his sanity. Lexie could handle it. She wanted to handle it. She was his life partner, for better or for worse. He had to change his life toward that. He had been alone for too long.


The phone rang three times before she picked up.


"Hello, beautiful." He smiled. "What did she say?"


"I told her what you said and gave her the number her lawyer left. She said she’d call them today and find out what they wanted." Lexie said. Nick smiled; he could hear her chewing her bottom lip even over the phone.


"You know, tomorrow is dinner at my mom’s." he said. "I think you need a new dress. Let’s go shopping."


"Nick, tomorrow is your birthday and the surprise party you’re not supposed to know about." She said.


"I’m saying the magic words, Lex, ‘Let’s go shopping.’" He teased her.


"I think we should wait for Sabrina’s call."


"I’ll get the answering service to forward the call. Lex, we can’t live like this." He said softly then he added. "Let me buy you something short and sexy for being such a good girl this morning."


"It’s for dinner at your mother’s!" she admonished him with a laugh.


"All the more reason for it to be as short as morally possible." He laughed back. "You don’t have nearly enough little black dresses."


"Nick, I have a ton of them and a ton of those impossible high heels shoes you like so much." He heard her smile.


"I can’t help it you’re short."


"Me!?! I’m not short, I’m almost 5’9"!" she snapped at him. He laughed; she hated it when he told her she was short. "You’re an evil husband, I don’t know why I’m so nice to you!"


Nick laughed even harder.


"Because you love me!" he added.


"I’m a fool for you Nickolas Carter!" she said, joining in his laughter.



"I can’t believe I’m doing this!" Leah laughed, her light hair falling over her shoulder with a toss.


"Pretty cool, huh? I think I should come home for lunch more often." He said, stretching out on the bed. Her light hand fell on his dark chest as she leaned over to kiss him.


"Thank you." She whispered.


"You’re very welcome, Mrs. Dorough." He smiled. "I can’t believe Caroline slept through all that."


"She sleeps like a log, just like her father." Leah laughed, getting out of bed and pulling her robe on. "Come on out of bed, I’ll actually get you some food before you have to go."


"I’ll just grab something on the way back." He said, sitting up and pulling her back into his arms.


"You know you can’t do that anymore. You need to eat well in order to stay healthy." She told him.


"I know, I know. I do good, honest. That new assistant, Michelle, I hired when Kelly left is all over it!" he groaned in her ear. "You should hear her. Nag, nag, nag."


"I pay her good money to keep an eye on you." Leah teased him.


"You do?" he asked, almost wondering if she was serious.


"I check up on you through her. I talk to her almost more than I talk to you." Leah teased him. "She was a good choice."


"Yeah, just what I needed, another spunky blonde in my life." He said, shaking his head.


"Oh, hell, I’m not much of a blonde these days." She chuckled nervously as she ran a hand through her hair.


"You’re as beautiful as the day I met you." He smiled.


"You don’t remember the first time we met." She teased him.


"You know what we need to do?" Howie said quickly, changing the subject. "Have Lexie come out here and you girls should do those spa days, like you used to."


"We used to have so much fun, then you boys would take us to dinner someplace fancy. . ." Leah said, tears welling in her eyes.


"What’s the matter?"


"I miss Lexie." She sighed. "Ever since she ran away it hasn’t been the same. . ."


"I know. . ."


"Now she is married to Nick all the way in L.A.. . ." she sighed again.


"Maybe you could call Leigh, or Kristen."


"Lord, I haven’t spoken to Kristen in years, Howie." Leah said, the weight of the past coming to her. They had all lost so much because of Howie’s adoption of Lexie from AJ.


"Well, Leighanne is right in Atlanta and I know she’s not doing anything this weekend."


"How do you know that?"


"Brian and Fatima are going to Nick’s surprise birthday party tomorrow and giving him back his Prowler."


"Are they really? How sweet!" she said. "How come we’re not going?" Howie looked away from her for a moment. "We weren’t invited?"


"Basically. Leighanne said that they were trying to keep it small because of how much Nick hates his birthday. Nick’s mother is organizing it." He said softly.


"She should’ve invited us, Nick is married to our daughter!" Leah snapped.


"Honey. . ."


"It’s been almost 25 years since AJ fathered Lexie, will that woman ever get over it?!" Leah growled.


"And she’s not happy about the marriage either. Look, we’ll call and wish him a happy birthday and leave it at that. I don’t want Lexie to have any problems with Jane." Howie said. "Brian wasn’t invited either, he’s just crashing it. He called Lexie to find out if there were any plans for his birthday and she told him about the party. I’m not even sure if Lexie knows Brian is showing up."


"I can’t believe she didn’t at least tell us about it." Leah sighed.


"It’s really small, Leah. It’s better this way." He smiled, "It’ll take a little time to break those Carters into the Dorough Birthday Traditions."


"I’m still having Lexie’s birthday here, I don’t care what they say." She said.


"I’m sure you will." Howie chuckled.


"We should have CJ’s too." Leah huffed.


"What is this going to be? Dueling mothers-in-laws?!" he teased her.


"Yes." She finally laughed, "And I have your mother’s recipes for those enchiladas and I’ll have Nick Carter eating out of my hands."



"How did it go?" Jill asked Sabrina over lunch.


"Well, I spoke to her lawyer and he wasn’t very forthcoming. He just insisted they have a face to face with Nick and Lexie." Sabrina said, stabbing her salad. "I do think she was in the office listening to the call."


"So, when’s the meeting?"


"Monday afternoon. They are in New York and agreed to fly out here. I can’t get away any sooner to go there. Nick’s leaving a week from tomorrow." She shrugged.


"So you don’t know if it’s custody or a settlement or anything?" Jill asked.


"Nada. Which is pissing me off." She said, waving her full fork at Jill. "How the hell am I supposed to prepare any counteroffers or anything if I haven’t got a clue on what she wants? I told him they might have to stay a couple days and he said okay. Who am I to argue, right? I’ve got the clerks throwing together every kind of file they can in case her demands fall within the reasonable." She finally ate her biteful.


"You tell Nick?"


"Yeah." She said around her mouthful. She finished chewing and swallowed before she continued.


"How’s he holding up?"


"They sounded pretty good. Lexie almost started crying this morning when Nick wasn’t there, but later they sounded better." She said. "I think they were out shopping or something."


"Really. I wish I could tell Aaron. I know Nick probably needs to talk to him."


"I know, but it’s client confidentiality and all that crap." Sabrina sighed. "Nick told me they didn’t want anyone to know until we know what she wants. He said he’d like the name of a psychologist to help CJ and the family if she wants to see CJ."


"That makes sense." Jill nodded. "I assume he doesn’t know, I know."


"I don’t know what he knows. You’re a partner here and I know you won’t tell Aaron." Sabrina said.


"Luckily, Aaron knows I won’t tell him either." Jill nodded.


"How you guys doing these days?"


"Still trying to decide exactly where to take this little vacation he wants." She smiled.


"Someplace romantic I hope."


"If he wants a baby, it better be romantic. Last night he mentioned Rome."


"Really? I bet that’s nice."


"You know, you should travel."


"Naw, I’m just a kid from Ohio." Sabrina said.


"You know, when I’m back I’m sending you on vacation next." Jill warned her.


Sabrina grinned grimly. Great, another thing for her to do alone while her mother nagged her.



Nick tried for hours to get her into every boutique on Rodeo Drive, but she steered him through the mall where she bought him a baseball cap to cover his hair. He protested because it didn’t match his slacks and shirt, but she insisted she wanted to shop in peace. Her peace lasted for about three hours before people started following them. Lexie for the most part enjoyed Nick’s fans as much as she enjoyed her father’s.


"Even if we ignore them, they won’t go away." He said, leaning over and whispering in her ear as she went through a clothing rack.


"No, but they won’t come over here either." She whispered back.


"Why don’t I just go talk to them?"


"Don’t you dare!" she whispered back.


"Dang Lex, I’m bored stiff. You wouldn’t even let me stop at the CD store. I haven’t been to a CD store since. . .since they used to be called record stores." He moaned to her quietly.


"You’re the one who wanted to go shopping." She sighed loudly.


"Yeah, but not for me and not at the mall." He moaned again.


"You need some casual clothes. Just a couple pairs of jeans. I can’t help it I don’t know what size you are because your weight has gone up and down in the last two years." She moaned back.


"Can’t you just look at the tag on these?"


"They are too big for you AND they are slacks, not jeans. It’s not the same thing. Here, just go try these on." She smiled, looking up at him. She handed him three pairs and pushed him toward a dressing room.


"What am I ever going to do in these?"


"Your next album cover?"


"You’re kidding right?"


"Hey ladies, you want to see him in these jeans?!" Lexie suddenly blurted out. She was rewarded with a small round of cheers. "Your public has spoken. Move it, Carter."


When Nick was changing, Lexie got the fans ~about a dozen~ to come over and sit with her. They were waiting when he came out with the first pair. He came around the corner to his audience for which he blushed.


"Those are too big." Someone said.


"And too short." Another one said.


"You heard them, go try another one." Lexie ordered. He dramatically stomped back inside. The second pair was long enough, but still too big. The third pair he wouldn’t come out in because they were way too short.


"Here, try these." A fan said, handing her another pair. "My husband is about the same size." The woman said. The clerk took them back to Nick.


"Better?" Lexie asked after Nick was a no show for a long while.


"Well," he began coming into view. "They are a little snug." He turned and showed them and the women gave in to their urges to hoot and whistle at him. He looked a little surprised.


"He’s always had the cutest ass." Someone said.


"I know, he’s just gotten better looking, don’t you think?" another said.


"I can’t believe he quit wearing jeans," said another.


One woman leaned over and whispered in Lexie’s ear. "He’s got brief lines."


"I know, he still wears them sometimes." She whispered back. "He switches back and forth."


"Are you gals done?" he sighed.


"Let’s try some black ones." Someone suggested.


"Sure." Lexie nodded.


"Lex." He sighed.


"Nick." She mimicked him. "This is good for you, trust me."


"Very good!" Someone agreed to a small round of applause.


"You guys are tired of those suits aren’t you?" Lexie asked them.


"Yeah!" they cheered.


"What you’d give to see him in jeans, maybe a tee-shirt. . ." Lexie continued.


"Cowboy boots. . ."


"Next album cover." Lexie added.


"There’s a new album?" the rapid fire began.


"When’s it coming out?"


"Are you gonna do any Backstreet songs?"


"Where are you recording it?"


"Will he wear that?"


Lexie smiled a little smile of satisfaction and to her surprise, so did he as his eyes locked with hers. His eyes had that sparkle they had this morning.


"Okay, go change. That’s enough for today." She said, getting him off the hook.


He came back out and signed autographs for everyone. Each of the ladies gave her a hug and they chatted about their own husbands and boyfriends. Soon, it was almost as if they forgot about Nick and ended up just talking to her.


Damn, he smiled, if she were any more perfect it would be inhuman. She was kind to his fans, promoted his new album even before he had recorded a note and had them eating out of the palm of her hand. They were growing to love her as much as he did. She waved good bye to them, slipped her hand into his as they walked hand in hand to the cash register.


"That was fun." She smiled as he handed over his credit card to the star struck clerk.


"I’m glad you enjoyed yourself at my expense." He smiled back.


"Those do look good." She said, buttering him up.


"If I have to wear those, you know it means no more midnight runs to the grocery store for ice cream." He said, putting his card back into his wallet. "I don’t have that kind of metabolism. Never had." He put his wallet back into his back pocket.


"I could live with that." She said, scooping up the bag and thanking the clerk.


"I doubt that’s gonna last, Ms. Chocolate-Chip-Mint-I-Gotta-Have-Some-Right-Now." He teased as he took her hand.


"I don’t know why Cook just won’t buy me some!" she sighed dramatically.


Nick laughed at her, but he knew the reason. Chocolate Chip Mint had been Christine’s favorite and the only thing ‘special’ she had ever requested from him in the way of home comforts after she moved in. He had ordered Cook to never bring it into the house again after she left. He still hadn’t rescinded that order, even after Lexie started asking for it.

Chapter 8 by old_archive

After Nick and Lexie picked up CJ at school, they took her to a restaurant where they all sat down to dinner. It was a wonderful family dinner. The management knew to keep fans away. The phone was ringing when they walked in the door and CJ ran to answer it. She was sitting in the den talking for quite awhile when Lexie went to check in on her.


"Who is it?" Lexie asked.


"It's Poppy." She smiled.


"Who?"


"AJ! He's telling me about his new house. You wanna talk to him?" CJ smiled.


"Sure." She said, reaching for the phone.


"Okay, here's Lexie." CJ said, handing the phone to Lexie and scrambling out of the chair.


"Go get ready for bed and go find your Dad." Lexie said.


"It's early, it's only 7:30!" CJ moaned.


"Get ready for bed and go find your Dad." Lexie said again. CJ promptly stomped out of the room.


"Hey, AJ." Lexie smiled.


"Hey babygirl! Was I keeping her up?" he asked.


"No. If she does as she's told, she'll find Nick in the studio with something to play for her."


"He start recording?"


"No, not that I know of. I think it's some older stuff or something." Lexie shrugged. "I don't know what those two do down there for hours. CJ usually just falls asleep in his lap."


"Alex and I do that sometimes."


"Really? So did me and . . .Howie." She said.


"It's okay." AJ said. "I know Howie's your Dad."


"I’m sorry. I just kinda stuttered, that's all." She said softly.


"Hey, we're past that, remember?" he said forcibly.


"Yeah." She nodded; knowing it wasn't quite true. She hated that they hadn't been close since that fight about Nick. They tried, but something wasn't quite right. She knew it even wasn't about Nick any more. So did AJ.


"You hear what CJ's calling me now? Poppy, isn't that cute." He laughed.


"Oh, yeah, she told me that. I hadn't heard that she finally made a decision." Lexie said. Listen to me, AJ! I want to tell you about Christine and how scared I am and how worried about Nick I am!


"Oh, hey, the reason I called. The wedding DVD came here, I think Howie's got the pictures and I'd like to bring them to you guys next week. I was thinking I'd fly out and pick up Nick for you this way he can stay home an extra day."


"Really?"


"Sure. I've got some papers to sign on the new house and make some arrangements for some decorating for it."


"That sounds great." She nodded. "I'll talk to Nick, but I'm sure you guys can stay here. You are bringing Alex, aren't you?"


"Of course, couldn't go anywhere without my little man." He chuckled.


"I'd love to see you guys."


"I was thinking of making a full week out of it and coming in on Monday. ."


"Monday's not good. . .uh. . .Nick's got meetings. . .me too. . ." she said.


"Okay, Tuesday?"


"How about Wednesday?"


"Okay, so Nick and I can fly out Saturday night?"


"Could we stretch it until Sunday morning?"


"Yep, as long as he's in the studio Monday morning, Howie will be happy." AJ said.


"Thanks, AJ." She sighed.


"Honey, you okay?" he asked softly. Something in his tone made him sound so concerned, so fatherly and so much like Howie.


"Yeah, it's been a long day and I didn't sleep well last night." She began. Listen to me. . .


"How come?"


"Just tossing and turning." She said. Can’t you hear what I’m trying to say?


"Are you still on the phone with Poppy?" CJ asked from the doorway.


"Yes, you still want to talk to him?" Lexie asked.


"Can he sing me a song?" she asked.


"Sure I can." AJ said into the phone. "Put her on."


CJ climbed up into Lexie's arms and listen to AJ sing her a little song. Lexie absently rocked the leather office chair back and forth. CJ snuggled into Lexie's arms and she held onto her. Lexie could barely hear AJ's voice through the handset. When he stopped singing, CJ told him that she loved him. He returned the "I love you" to her. CJ handed Lexie the phone, but stayed in her lap.


"Thanks." Lexie said.


"Any time, sweetheart. You girls sound tired. I'd better let you go." He said softly.


"Bye." Lexie said.


"I love you, Lexie."


"I love you too." She mumbled, feeling the sadness of not being able to say what she so desperately wanted to.



"Where's CJ?" Nick asked as Lexie walked into the studio.


"I put her to bed. She was tired. AJ sang to her." Lexie said.


"That was AJ on the phone?"


"Yes, he wants to fly out Wednesday and then take you back Sunday morning."


"That's cool. At least I won't have to leave on Friday." He smiled. "We'll have a built in babysitter if he stays here and you and I can have a date."


"I can't believe you're going to be gone." Lexie said quietly, sitting in a chair next to him.


"I know, baby, I don't want to go. All the more reason for us to buy a house in Orlando."


"I know." She nodded.


"Baby, what is it?"


"AJ." She said, her voice breaking.


"What? Did you guys have a fight or something?"


"No, no. I . . .we're just not that close any more. Not since the fight and he found out about us."


"I thought you were okay with that. I mean, you said you loved him."


"I do, but it's just not enough." She cried. "I waited so long to know him and when I did it. . ."


"What?"


"It didn't last."


"It was hard for him to accept. It's probably still hard." Nick said. "It'll get better with time. When we move there, it'll be better. You'll get to see Alex and Caroline more and the boys and Marta, Aria and that wacky cousin of yours. . ."


"Marshall." She chuckled.


"God that kid is strange." He chuckled. "I think you're homesick and tired and worried about Christine."


"Aren't you?" she asked, wiping her eyes.


"Yes. God, I can't tell you how worried I am, but I'll go insane between now and Monday if I just let it eat at me." He sighed. "Today is over and we've got three more to go."


"Plus dinner at your mother's." she smiled through her tears.


"God, I almost forgot." He groaned. She laughed at his antics. "One thing at a time, okay? Let's take care of Christine, then we'll plan our move to Orlando. Deal?"


"Deal." She nodded.



For all Nick's brave talk, he was out of bed an hour after getting in. He settled into the rocker in the nursery again for a long night, just to return before the alarm went off. She got out of bed moments after he got in, even before the alarm. She was fully in the shower when the alarm on her side went off. He reached over to slap it off, but there was a piece of paper on the alarm. He pushed it aside and then leaned over the bed and picked it up. He noticed her handwriting right away.


Don’t leave me like this.

A deal’s a deal you said.

Don’t leave me like this.

Just a couple more days to go.

But you’re not where you should.

Dinner with the Lioness, feeding with the Pack.

Don’t leave me like this.

I guess it doesn’t matter what I feel.

Only matters what you say.

You aren’t where you should.

Don’t leave me like this.


Nick’s head dropped to the mattress, his arms holding the piece of paper above the floor. Had he done this? Had he pushed her to write this?


"Get it?" he heard her ask. He looked up, then sat up with the piece of paper in his hand.


"I’m sorry. . ."


"I don’t want you to be sorry." She said softly. "I want you to understand."


"I. . .uh. . .I think I do." He muttered. "I won’t spend another night in the nursery. Is that what made you write this?" he said of the paper.


"My father is a poet." She shrugged; walking over and holding her hand out for the piece of paper. She read it over and handed it back to him. "I’ve got to go wake CJ, sounds like she’s not up yet."


He watched her tighten her robe and head out into the hall. Yeah, he got it. He read the words again. He stretched out to her bed stand and opened the drawer. He pulled out a pen.


Tiny demons laugh in my face.

Angry sprites nip at my heels.

They come when it’s darkness

And go before dawn.

Fairy bunnies guide me

And then send me back to stare

At a little princess sleeping;

I peer through garden gates

Breath quickening at sight

Lioness is no match

For the ruling Queen of Hearts.

He left it back where he found it, laying across the alarm clock.



Nick missed CJ going to school; he had been in the shower after Lexie. He was down in the studio when Lexie came down with a piece of paper. He saw her reflection in the glass as she stood there.


"Why didn't you tell me?" She asked.


"I thought I just did." He said, not removing his gaze from her reflection.


"I thought you had a handle on this."


"I might lose my daughter. How do I 'handle' that?" he sighed.


"Everything was okay until you went to bed?" she asked gently.


"It's like my fears are bigger. The house is quiet and I thought you were asleep."


"I wasn't."


"I know." He said grimly.


"I wrote you a rebuttal." She smiled.


"Let me see." He smiled, turning his chair toward her. She handed him the paper back.


Sirens call you from the dark

I hear the singing when you're gone

The Queen of Hearts is clinging

To haunted winds of loss

Fairy bunnies know best

When ill tempered Masters depart

That the Fates are no more kinder

Even when we are apart.

"Baby, this is beautiful." He gasped, reaching for her hand. "I'll miss you too." Lexie leaned over and kissed his sweet lips gently. He swiftly stood up and took her passionately into his arms. "Let's go back upstairs." She broke from his arms with a nod, took his hand, and led the way.



"Hey, mon! Whatcha' working on?" AJ laughed as he and Alex came into Howie's office.


"Hey guys!" Howie smiled, getting to his feet and hugging them both.


"Hi Uncle Howie!" Alex cheered, throwing himself from AJ's arms into Howie's.


"Oomph! Gesh, you're getting to be quite a big boy." Howie laughed, hoisting him on his hip. "Come on in, have a seat. What you two doing out and about?"


"I talked to Lexie last night. I'm gonna fly out on Wednesday and hang with them for a bit. Nick and I will fly out of L.A. on Sunday."


"That's nice of you AJ."


"Well, I've got a little business to do. You and Leah still have the pictures, I offered to take everything out there."


"I think Lee's holding them hostage so Lexie will come here and visit." Howie laughed as Alex climbed down and headed for a toy box Howie kept in the office for him and Caroline.


"Well, according to CJ, Lexie has a job with an old roommate at an auction house. It's only temporary until Nick gets back."


"I thought she was going back to school."


"I guess not." AJ shrugged.


"What else you guys talk about?"


"Not much. When is the last time you talked to her?"


"Before the wedding. I haven't had chance to call since they got back."


"What about Leah?"


"No, I don't think she has either." Howie shrugged.


"How come?"


"We're busy AJ." Howie chuckled. AJ saw the blush rise in Howie's cheek, although Howie hadn't mentioned anything.


"Busy doing what?" AJ teased. "You been going home for lunch?"


"Just yesterday. . .stop it AJ!" Howie laughed.


"Ah, naw, good for you, buddy. You should be enjoying your life and not be cooped up in here." AJ smiled.


"We're thinking of having another baby."


"What? Are you serious?" AJ said.


"Yeah. I'd like to try at least, you know, for Caroline." Howie sighed.


"Look, I don't want to piss you off or anything, but aren't you getting just a little too old for having any more babies?" AJ smiled.


"Naw, it's not like we can't afford them. I'm thinking of reorganizing the company any ways. I'm thinking of retiring." Howie sighed.


"Oh really?"


"I don't want to live like this. This is insane. It's not the same as when I started out. I missed John's entire baseball season last year and I don't want to listen to Leah go on and on about that again." Howie chuckled.


"You thinking of selling?" AJ asked.


"Why? You wanna buy it?" Howie chuckled.


"I could. I own plenty of stock in it." He smiled.


"What would you do with MY record company?" Howie quizzed him.


"I'd hire some 20 something to run it and rake in the bucks." AJ laughed.


"You think some 20 something will know how to manage Nick Carter and Brian Littrell of the Backstreet Boys?" Howie said, shaking his head.


"Probably." AJ said seriously.



It didn't take much and both Nick and Lexie were fast asleep. Neither one of them had slept well the last couple nights and this was the result. Locked in tangled sheets, Lexie did wake once in time to set the alarm so they could get up to go pick up CJ. She nestled down back into Nick's arms and his lips found her forehead as he drifted off again.


Nick woke before the alarm and Lexie had pulled away from him while she slept. Her back to him, he reached over and spooned up behind her laying an arm over her. He lay awake and his thoughts drifted to Christine.


Two women could not be more different.


Christine had been as light as Lexie was dark. Christine had been much taller than Lexie, nearly 6 feet tall barefoot. She never liked Nick to hold her like this and would gently brush him away. Christine had never been happy here and only moved in when she was pregnant. That always hurt him to know that he hadn't made her life here at least comfortable.


He had enjoyed her. Shy to a fault, he had pursued her for months before she relented. She was so quiet that he had to always ask what she was thinking. Lexie had no problem telling him what was on her mind.


Dinner with the lioness, feeding with the pack.

Don’t leave me like this.

I guess it doesn’t matter what I feel.

Only matters what you say.


She had always seemed so fragile and he treated her more like a delicate china doll than as a woman. The pregnancy seemed to take a toll on Christine and she suffered from post partum depression for weeks afterwards. Nick figured she never got over it and that's why she left.


No warning, no explanations.


He had told her he loved her, because he felt he did at the time. He was so grateful to her for giving him CJ, that he did everything he could to make sure she was happy. She never told him she loved him, so he imagined she never did. She was never happy here, but neither was he. He had been simply resigned.


He looked around the room, one he had shared with both of them and then he realized how wrong he was to ask Lexie to live here with him. God, he had never even considered it from her point of view. Christine hadn't been the first woman to live here with him. He had kept this house as a symbol of each one of those relationships. As one by one they tried to sue him, he had always managed to retain the house. It was like his trophy or his winnings.


He looked down at Lexie's sleeping form and then over at the clock. It was nearly 1:30 in the afternoon and her hand reached back and he took it. She pulled him closer, wrapping his arm around her waist.


Breath quickening at sight

Lioness is no match

For the ruling Queen of Hearts.

Chapter 9 by old_archive

Howie's skin was crawling. He didn't like doing business like this; it wasn't his style. When he hung up the phone, he felt dirty and cheap. Jill Carter's partner would be coming out to look things over for him and Lisa before she left. He didn't like the taste it left in his mouth.


"That's some face." Michelle, his assistant, laughed as she walked into his office. "Your phone call didn't go well?"


"No, it was fine."


"You don't like her, do you?" Michelle asked, setting some files on his desk.


"No, but you'll learn that about me." He said grimly.


"I'm not that new. I did work downstairs in legal for almost a year." She smiled.


The petite blonde had interviewed well for the job. She was definitely Leah's first choice. They had hit it off instantly. Her background in legal had made her quite an asset to the executive staff.


"What's all this?" he asked of the files.


"Department budgets you have to approve."


"Did you look at them?"


"Yes."


"Are they okay?"


"I made some notes."


"Where do I sign?" he sighed, looking for a pen. She pulled one from her sweater pocket and handed it to him. "Why do you wear sweaters? This is Orlando."


"I'm from Massachusetts. It's a habit." She smiled.


He smiled back and took the pen, signing his name where she told him. She closed up each file and began to pile them up. She leaned over and peered into his garbage can. He looked where she was looking.


"I'll give you a raise if you don't tell my wife." He joked.


"What was that?" she said, trying to see what he was covering up.


"Chalupas. . ."


"And?"


"A couple burritos. . ."


"You mean those kind from that little hole in the wall place, The Border Run?" she smiled.


"Oh yeah!" he smiled sinfully.


"I am so gonna tell her." She said quickly.


"Oh, damn, girl don't do this to me!" he groaned.


"Tsk, tsk, Howie!" she laughed.



Nick stretched out and felt the crick in his back. Lexie had gotten up already and was heading out to pick up CJ from school. Cook had left earlier because they would be having dinner at his mother's tonight. Him and 30 other people.


Oh man.


He got out of bed and headed to the bathroom, then straight into the shower. Lexie had laid out a dark suit for him and everything he would need. She may hate his suits, but she had a few favorites.


He hadn't heard from any of the guys, but that wasn't anything new. After he started hating his birthday, everyone had left him alone. Only CJ's birth had renewed the family's interest.


He wiped the steam from the mirror and he searched for his razor. He stared at his face for a moment.


Forty-Five.


Damn.


He barely looked a day over 35. The stress of the last couple of years and the draining weight loss made him look a little older than he would have liked. Lexie and Cook had fattened him back up since the end of the trials and he was lucky for the returning weight to plump up some of the lines in his face. A little while after they lost the baby, they both returned to the gym. It did well for both of them. Kept them in surfing shape for sure! He turned sideways for a glance, running his hand over his cotton covered rear end.


"Lose something?" he heard Lexie ask.


"Damn it!" he started.


She laughed gently at him. She walked up and smoothed her hand over his briefs.


"Don't worry about it." She smiled softly.


"I've always had the biggest ass. . ." he muttered.


"You don't have a big ass." She chuckled, pulling her hair out of the ponytail.


"Thanks little Miss-I-can-eat-whatever-I-want!" he grumbled playfully at her.


She just gave him a playful shrug and shook her hair loose.


"I can't help it! But even I've gained a few pounds living here with you and Cook!" she laughed. "Finish up and go help CJ. She's having a shoes crisis."


He shaved, brushed out his hair, and went into the bedroom to get dressed. He was up to pulling a tie on when CJ came in. He heard the shower cut off a while ago and knew Lexie was dressing by now.


CJ pulled the silk from his hand and climbed up on the bed. She silently called him over and he stood there as she looped the tie over his head.


"I thought you were having a shoes crisis." He smiled.


"I don't have any to go with that dress that Grandma bought. I told Lexie that." She sighed.


"So, you're wearing that dress?"


"I have to! I don't have any shoes!" she sighed dramatically.


"It's a very pretty dress. . ."


"Whatever." She sighed.


Nick chuckled gently as she tightened the knot at his throat. Her little hands pulled his collar down and brushed off his shoulders.


"Okay?" he asked.


"You look fine." She smiled up at him.


"You both do." Lexie said from the doorway. They looked over at her and Nick let out a low whistle.


Something short, something black and something tight. Just how he liked it. Her dark hair was tucked neatly at the nape of her neck and her silk stocking feet were still shoeless.


"Dad!" CJ groaned.


Nick laughed as Lexie came closer for a kiss.


"You know, you'd better sit down." Lexie said.


"Oh oh. . ." He groaned.


"Sit, sit! It won't be too terrible." Lexie said as she and CJ guided him to a chair by the window. "Now, go get them." She said to CJ.


Giddy, CJ ran from the room and Lexie pulled up an ottoman to sit at Nick's feet. CJ returned with two presents, handing them to Lexie as she climbed up into her Dad's lap.


"You guys. . ." he sighed.


"Happy Birthday, Nick." Lexie smiled, ignoring him. She handed him the larger of the two. He gave it a gentle shake and put his ear to it.


"It's for your trip." CJ laughed at him.


He finally opened it and pulled out the silver-framed picture of CJ and Lexie. It was one of the black and whites he had had commissioned before the wedding.


"This is beautiful." He smiled.


"You have to take it with you and put it in your room! Are you going to be staying with Poppy?"


"AJ? I don't know. I'll probably just get a hotel suite. . ." he began. "Thank you very much, ladies."


CJ quickly threw her arms around his neck and kissed his lips.


"Happy Birthday, Daddy!" she giggled.


"There's one more from us." Lexie said, resting her hand on Nick's knee. She handed him a small box and he smiled at her.


"What's this?" he asked.


"You have to open it!" CJ giggled.


Nick playfully opened it and creaked open the small wooden box.


"Wow." He muttered.


"Look at the inside of it." CJ said.


"To Nicholas, all my promises, Alexandria and Christine. . .uh, my name is spelled wrong." He said, looking up.


"It's not you!" CJ said.


"Huh?" Nick asked. Lexie watched his brows knit together and she smiled.


"Tell him the story about those dead people and. . ." CJ began eagerly.


"Wait a second! Dead people!? What is going on?" Nick said with surprise.


Lexie laughed and reached for the box and the ring. He dropped it into her hand and she held it up between them.


"Do you know what this is?" she asked.


"A ring?" he said.


"No, not that."


"Oh, uh. . .a dragon."


"That's right. What kind of dragon?"


"Uh. . .mmm. . .Japanese? Chinese?"


"Chinese, good!" Lexie said. "Do you know how old it is? CJ figured it out."


"Uh. . .I don't know." He shrugged.


"Tell him, CJ."


"It's around 100 years old. You see how the dragon's tail leaves the ring and then wraps around the side like that? They started making them like that in the 1700's, but this one was made around 1870?" she began, not quite sure of the facts.


"It is most likely that this particular ring is a 1920's reproduction of the 1700's style, including manufacturing style." Lexie added.


"But it's still a hundred years old isn't it?" CJ asked her.


"Well. . .give or take. I know that the previous owner, Nicholas Farmer was married in 1923 and that's his wedding ring." Lexie smiled.


"So there is a real Nicholas and Alexandria. . .I mean, another one, uh. . .couple?" Nick tried to asked. Lexie nodded and Nick continued with his questions. He arched a dark brow at her and asked, "So these are the dead people?"


"That Nicholas was Nicholas Farmer of Bath, England. His wife, Alexandria Lowery was from London originally. She moved to Bath after they were married." Lexie began. "This came from an estate Gina was working on. You see, the estate was owned by Alexandria's great-great niece Prudence Williams."


"Okay." He nodded.


"Well, Nicholas and his wife were in King George VI's service at the time as ambassadors to France. Some time after they were married, they were given a post in India. A very high ranking post. The problem was that Alexandria was very, very pregnant at the time of the posting. Seems that she was also having a very difficult pregnancy as well. Nicholas made plans to go ahead and set up a household in India and Alexandria would meet him after the baby was born. Hours before he was to depart, the neighbor reported Alexandria was so distraught at Nicholas leaving her that she wailed loudly for hours. It went on long into the night, but the neighbors had all gone to bed and it was quiet by morning."


Knowing that her audience was quite captured by her story, she continued.


"Knowing that Nicholas was leaving that day, it didn't surprise them that the house was quiet. They didn't expect to see Nicholas, but they did expect to see Alexandria from time to time, but she never appeared. A couple days later a neighbor insisted that a Constable break into their loft and find out where she was. When they entered the apartment; they found Nicholas' luggage and trunks beside the front door and not a soul in sight. They were never seen again."


"When did they disappear? What happened to them?" Nick asked, but Lexie just shrugged. "They didn't just disappear did they?"


"They disappeared, or rather, the day they were last seen was July 27, 1926." Lexie began.


"Wait a second! That's your birthday!" Nick said excitedly.


"Well, not 1926. . ." she laughed. "You're still older than me!"


"This is too creepy. . ." he sighed. "You're pulling my leg!"


"Nope, 'fraid not. They never appeared in India and never again in their flat." Lexie said. "They did a lot of traveling before the pregnancy and we suspect that she bought the ring for Nicholas in China. We're not sure. That estate is one of the ones I'll be working on with Gina after you've gone to Orlando."


"You'll have to tell me if you find out anything. . ." Nick said. "Promises. We say that all the time and the names and that date. . .that's too creepy!"


"But if they were married in 1923 and this is 2025, then it is a 100 years old!" CJ declared.


"Now remember, the age is considered from the manufacturer's date. We don't know exactly when this was made." Lexie said. "It's at least 100 years old. This is one of the estates Gina is hiring me to look into."


"You'll have to call, you know, and tell me what you find." Nick said.


"Oh! I will. G and I both have our hearts set on finding the bill of sale or something. It's amazing what the niece kept." Lexie smiled. Lexie finally took the ring from him and slipped it over his middle finger, next to his wedding band. "I was hoping it wouldn't be too big."


"No, it's pretty big, but it fits." He nodded after he swallowed hard. He lifted the gold to catch the light.


"You like it Daddy?" CJ asked.


"Like it? I love it! This has got to be the. . .coolest thing anyone has ever gotten me. This is so cool!" he smiled. "I'm just amazed."


"I'll let you know what we find out." Lexie said, getting to her feet. "Meanwhile, Mr. Carter, Ms. Carter. Grandma Carter is going to kick our fannies if we aren't at dinner on time."


"Well, get your shoes on!" CJ laughed, climbing off of Nick's lap. "Dad? What car are we going to take?!"


"The Mercedes, the black one! Get the keys!" he hollered after her.


Nick walked over to Lexie and caught her arm as she twisted her feet into simple black pumps, bringing her closer to eye level to him, but not quite. He kissed her cheek.


"Thanks, babe. This is really great." He smiled softly.


"I'm glad you liked it." She smiled back at him. In the distance, they heard a horn honking. "I think she's catching on to us."


Nick laughed as he picked up her shawl and she reached for her purse. He held out his other arm for her.


"Mrs. Carter?" he smiled wickedly.


"Mr. Carter." She smiled back, slipping her hand into the crook of his elbow.


"Time to face the Lioness." He said as they walked into the hall.


"And to feed with the pack." She answered him.



There was no hiding the obvious from Nick. There were a ton of cars outside his mother's house, a lot more than for 30 people. She couldn't even look at him as they pulled up. CJ climbed out and Nick handed his car off to the valet. Nick held the door for her as he waited for her to get out. He was silent as they walked hand in hand to the front door.


"I swear Nick, I only approved 30 people. . ." she whispered.


"I think the Lioness ate your guest list." He sighed heavily. She stopped in on the walkway.


"I'm sorry. Really, I am."


"I know baby. It's okay." He smiled for her, kissing her cheek.


Lexie McLean Dorough-Carter was no match for Jane Carter. Hell, most of the time she still caught Nick off guard. The only one who could handle her at all was Jill. It took some brawls, but Jane learned to back off of Jill and Aaron. She didn't dare take any kind of shot at Lexie. She and Nick had an understanding over that subject. One bad word and Jane knew she risked her visits with CJ.


They entered the house to a rousing "surprise!" and the hundreds or so faces swam in front of them. Lexie clutched onto Nick's hand, but he reassured her it was fine. Nick knew by the faces present that most were record industry people, reporters, and music columnists. . .anyone Jane thought could jump-start his career. The only faces he was happy to see were Nikki and Karen, the current president and vice president of his fan club. Nikki was still pretty new, but Karen had been around through thick and thin.


"Hi, sweetheart!" Nick smiled, wrapping his arms around her and hugging her close.


"Look at you! You look fantastic!" Karen laughed, squeezing him just as hard. "Married life agrees with you."


"Lord, I hope so!" he laughed, taking Nikki in his arms next. "It's great to see you guys."


"People can't wait for the new album!" Nikki giggled in his ear.


"I've got a ton of new material." Nick said, letting her go.


"What's with all of this? You hate your birthday and Lexie said this was going to be small." Karen said of his mother's grand plan.


"Kitty, please. How long have you been around?" he sighed, rolling his eyes.


"I know, I know. How stupid of me. So, where is Lexie? I haven't seen her all night!" Karen asked.


"You know, I haven't seen her in awhile either." Nick said, scanning the crowd.



"He's not going to be pissed at you. I can tell you that right now." Jill laughed as she and Lexie huddled in a corner by the bar.


"I know, he'll be more pissed at her. I can't believe I got suckered like that!" Lexie groaned, bringing the champagne to her lips. "I feel so stupid."


"You'll learn. I did." Jill laughed. "Have you met anyone? I mean, you are Nick Carter's new 24-year-old wife. . ."


"Oh, stop it right now!" Lexie groaned. "I've met freakin' everyone. If Nick didn't introduce me, his mother did."


"Good, don't refer to her by her name." Jill said.


"I've gotta go find Karen and Nikki." Lexie sighed.


"Good, you'll need the allies." Jill said.


"Can I count on you?"


"Got your back, chica." Jill winked.


"Good, cover me." Lexie sighed heavily.


Nick finally found sight of Lexie and waved her over. She traded her empty glass for another full one. Nikki had grabbed Nick's hand and was admiring the ring when Lexie finally joined them.


"Some bash." Karen smirked.


"Oh, please." Lexie groaned.


"This is beautiful." Nikki said of the ring.


"Thank you. A friend of mine found it in an estate." Lexie smiled.


"So when are you heading back to work? Or is it school?" Karen asked.


"Well, I took this quarter off with Nick going to Orlando and we're keeping CJ in school here." Lexie said. "I took a temp job with Gina for when he leaves."


"Nick! Nick, honey, come here!" Jane called for him.


"Good luck." Nikki laughed.


He pointed a finger at her and gave her a playful evil eye, leaving them each with kisses on their cheeks.


"I can't believe he's leaving so soon after the wedding. . ."Karen began. She saw the emotions flutter across Lexie's face. "I'm sorry, sweetie. . ."


"It's okay. It's got to be done."


"How long is he going to be gone?"


"I don't know. Depends on what they decide once he gets there, who is going to be playing on the album and whatnot." Lexie nodded with a heavy swallow of the lump caught in her throat.


"Well, I hope you stop by the fan club. . ." Nikki smiled sweetly.


"Oh! I plan to. I'm going to get Nick to agree to do the pre-release concert here in L.A." Lexie smiled.


Karen and Nikki began to contribute to the plan. They began to sweep Lexie away with talk of updating the fan newsletter with album news she would give them in the future.


Everyone was startled, especially Lexie, when Nick's squeal was heard well over the drone of the party.


"Lexie!" he hollered! "Come here, quick! Brian is here!" He had run into the living room and then ran back out.


"Hasn't seen Brian in awhile?" Nikki laughed.


"He hasn't seen his mistress in a while." Lexie winked.

Chapter 10 by old_archive

Lexie made it to the front door, when Nick reached out for her hand and pulled her outside. She almost tripped over the threshold and into his arms. She looked up into his face, then to where he was looking. Brian and his daughter, Fatima, stood at the back fender of his most prized possession, his 1999 Limited Edition, Chrysler Prowler. The purple metallic finish sparkled under the flood of outdoor lights.


"I can't believe he's still doing these childish things. . ." Jane muttered behind her. Lexie didn't have time to look back at Jane as Nick dragged her down the stairs to the driveway where Brian and Fatima were. Nick and Lexie slid to a stop in front of them.


Fatima stood by the back fender closest to them; her delicate cheeks heating with color as the party guests filtered from the house to see what had gotten Nick so excited. Lexie watched Fatima suddenly grow awkward and uncomfortable at all the attention. Fatima raised her hand to show them the keys that dangled from her fingers. She gave them one good twirl around her finger before wishing Nick a happy birthday.


"Happy Birthday, Uncle Nick." she smiled.


"Oh, sweetie!" He laughed, reaching out with his arms to pick her up and spin her around. She squealed with laughter as he put her down and she handed him the keys.


"Happy Birthday, Frack." Brian smiled, slipping into Nick's arms for a hug.


"Oh, man, I can't believe you brought it for a visit." Nick smiled.


"Visit? Oh, no way man. It's yours. I have no use for this thing." Brian laughed.


"No way." Nick gasped.


"It's yours, take it." Brian said softly.


"I'll pay you back. . ." Nick began.


"No! You will not! It's a present." Brian said firmly.


"Oh man." Nick sighed.


"Aren't you gonna drive it, Uncle Nick?" Fatima piped in.


"Well. . .uh. . ." Nick stammered, looking at Lexie. She winked at him and mouthed, "Go." Her loving grin spread across her face.


"You know how to drive a stick?" Nick asked Fatima.


"Uh. . .sure." she said.


"Get in." He laughed, tossing her the keys.


"Oh no you don't!" Brian protested as Fatima caught the keys and ran to the driver's side. Nick had already turned and leaped over the door into the passenger seat. Brian ran after them, but Fatima had the car started and in gear before he got to her.


The Prowler lurched slightly, but Nick just patted her shoulder and she put it back into gear. The car purred down the driveway and away from the house to the applause of the party guests. Lexie could see Nick leaning over and coaching Fatima.


"She can't drive something like that. . ." Brian protested as he returned to the stoop where Lexie stood. The other guests were laughing and headed back inside.


"Relax Brian. Come get some food." Lexie laughed, throwing her arm around his shoulder.


Lexie and Brian headed up the stairs as the rest of the guests headed in.


Jane stood at the top of the stairs, hands on hips, ready for a confrontation. It was a look and a pose Brian had seen for years, but he was not sure Lexie knew how to handle it. Her eyes were narrowed and her pinched face was now burning red in the cheeks. Flashbacks nearly made Brian stumble as his heart trembled a bit. Jane Carter was angry and no doubt, angry at him.


"I can't believe you just let him leave like that! I did all of this for him!" She growled in Lexie's face.


"What you fail to realize, is that your son is a grown man who makes his own decisions." Lexie sniped back. "If you had done what I had asked, then none of this would have happened."


"You knew he was coming?!" she asked, as pointed her finger at Brian and her voice began to shrill.


"Yes. I knew Bri was bringing the Prowler back for Nick." Lexie said firmly.


"I did this for you, too! And that precious granddaughter of mine so you'd have a future!"


"I have a future!" Lexie snapped. "And I sure as hell don't need your help! You're the one who turned this into some kind of freak show and made him want to leave! He would have stayed, I would have asked him to stay, if I thought he was happy here!"


Brian stepped between them, raising his hands between them before their verbal assault became physical. Perhaps it was stupid of him, but his voice did seem to bring some reason into their fit.


"Stop it!" Brian said to both of them. "Lexie, maybe we better leave."


"I'll get my purse and CJ." Lexie snapped, pushing her way past the both of them.



Lexie found CJ asleep in her room at the house. Jane followed her and asked her not to take her. Lexie was so angry that spite made her want to take CJ with her just to hurt Jane. She didn't though. She left Nick's daughter in the care of her grandmother and gathered Brian as she left the house.


"It was good of you to leave her." Brian said softly as Lexie pulled the Mercedes out of the driveway and down the street away from the house.


"There was nothing good about it." Lexie growled.


"Whew, you two really go at it." he smiled.


"At least this time she didn't throw my mother and AJ in my face." Lexie sighed.


"She does that?!" Brian asked, shocked.


"Yes." Lexie said, her voice barely a cracking whisper.


"Does Nick know?" Brian asked.


"No." Lexie said quietly.


"You should tell him." Brian encouraged.


"What for? It doesn't matter what she says." Lexie shrugged.


"It matters to Nick. He wouldn't want her talking to you like that."


"What can he do? Keep CJ away from her; he'd do that, you know. I don't want that for either one of them. Don't tell him, Brian!" Lexie groaned.


Brian noticed how she ran her hand over her face, wiping invisible loose strands of hair from her face. A damp shine was under her eyes and it sparkled as the other cars drove by, flooding them in light. Brian could see her pain, even as she tried to hide it. If it was Leighanne, he'd want to know.


"I can't promise that, Lexie. I won't let her hurt you guys. . ."


"For now, please?" Lexie pleaded.


"Okay, for now. I won't say anything." Brian agreed. "Where are you going?"


"To where Nick and Fatima are." Lexie smiled with a sniffle.


"Did I miss something? You talked to him?" Brian laughed.


"No, I just know." she chuckled.



Lexie pulled the slick luxury car into an ocean lookout next to the Prowler. Nick and Fatima were just coming up from the beach; Fatima wrapped in Nick's jacket. Fatima broke from Nick and ran straight into her Dad's arms. Brian held her close and laughed with her.


"How was it? Did you drive all the way here?" Brian asked.


"It was great, Dad!" she laughed. "I got to drive part of the way, then Nick took it out on the freeway."


"Oh, God! Don't tell me anymore!" Brian groaned.


Nick took Lexie into his arms and kissed her deeply. He touched his nose to hers and smiled.


"Thanks, baby." he smiled. "Fatima spilled the beans."


Lexie snuggled deeper into his arms. The silk of his untied hair brushed against her hands on his back. Fatima reached over and brushed a few strands from Nick's shoulder.


"You're a mess now." she laughed.


"You too." he chuckled, ruffling her shock of blonde hair.


"Stop it, you two." Brian laughed, pulling Fatima back into his arms. "Come on, we'll leave you two alone."


Nick took the keys for the Mercedes from Lexie and tossed them to Brian.


"Go on to the house and grab a guestroom. I guess CJ stayed at Mom's?"


"Yeah, poor little thing was already asleep." Brian smiled. "Night, you guys."


"Night and thanks, Brian." Lexie waved.


"Anything for the woman who loves my best friend." he said softly. "Come on, Tima. Get in the car."


Brian held the passenger door and took Nick's jacket from her. Nick left Lexie standing near the Prowler and retrieved his jacket. He and Brian exchanged a few words and Nick embraced Brian one last time. Nick returned to Lexie and watched as Brian and Fatima pulled out and headed home. He slipped the jacket around Lexie and pulled her close.


"You didn't drive with your hair untied, did you?" she asked.


"No, I waited until I got here." he chuckled, coming in for a quick kiss. "We went down to the beach for a little walk. It's a beautiful night, Mrs. Carter."


"Yes, it is." she groaned as she looked up into his angelic face. "I love you, Nick."


"Oh, baby, I love you too." he moaned, pressing her against the car as his mouth met hers.


His kiss was the kind that always made Lexie melt. The kisses that he started with the soft tip of his tongue on her lips; tasting and tugging until she granted him entrance. His entrance was slow and deliberate as he raised his hands to the sides of her face, slipping his fingers into her dark hair and freeing it from its pins.


The pins that held her dark tresses scattered in all different directions as he pushed to free her hair from its perfectly coifed style. His lips left hers and he looked down at her; her eyes closed and her now moist lips slightly open. He cupped the back of her head and brought her to him again, taking the luxury of tasting her love on his lips.


His hands traveled down the generous curve of her back as he pulled her close into her arms. Smoothing his hands over her rear, his kiss stopped, although he didn't remove his lips from hers. His hands went over her bottom several times. He pulled back and looked down at her.


"Don't tell me."


"Happy Birthday?" she shrugged with a slight smile.


"You were in my mother's house."


"I know. I was hoping for it to happen there."


"In my mother's house?"


"Well, at some point tonight."


"You have no panties on." he smirked.


"I know."


"When did you take them off?" he smiled.


"I didn't put them on."


"What?!" he laughed.


She smiled and shrugged her shoulders. He reached around her and opened the passenger door, his eyes crinkling as he smiled widely. She took his offer and dropped onto the leather seat, drawing her legs up into the car. He closed the door, and like an overeager teenager, ran around the front of the car and jumped into the driver's seat.


He sat still for just a moment, before he looked over and patted his lap. She laughed, then looked over her shoulders both ways. She looked at the floorboards for a second, then she heard his voice in the dark.


"Leave the shoes on." His seductive voice purred at her.


"Any way you want it, Birthday Boy." she purred back, twisting toward him to straddle his waist.


She watched him with hooded eyes steaming with passion. With one last good look over her shoulder, Nick embraced their passion and bucked against her almost as though he had no will of his own. He was sure he didn't and that she had some kind of magical control over him, but he didn't care. He didn't care unless there was a chance he would lose it.



The house was dark as they pulled up in front of it. Nick went in and opened the garage door as Lexie pulled the Prowler into its own little shelter. She got out, handing him his jacket and the keys.


"Good to have her home?" she smiled, walking with him into the house.


"Jealous?" he teased, shutting the light and closing the door.


"Naw." she chuckled, cutting into the laundry room. She kicked off her shoes and reached under her skirt to remove her stockings. He leaned in the doorway, watching. "Enjoying the show?"


"Reminds me of another time." he smiled.


She turned her back to him and he unzipped the dress. She shrugged out of it, then removed her bra and threw it in the washer.


"You'd better put something on. Brian and Tima are here."


She rooted around in the clean laundry, found one of his shirts and pulled it on.


"Happy?" she smiled.


"More than I can ever say." he whispered, choking on his words. Stepping close, she reached up and ran a thumb over his cheek.


"Happy Birthday, baby." she whispered back. She raised up on her toes and kissed his lips lightly. "Let's go upstairs and see if we can work some of these knots out." She said, trying to slip her fingers through his hair.


Nick left his jacket behind in the laundry room, took her hand and went up into the bedroom. He changed into some shorts to sleep in and she sat him down in the bathroom. She picked and brushed his hair out until it shined. Lexie put the brush down at one point and just ran her fingers through it, reaching up to massage his scalp. His eyes closed and he tipped his head forward until his chin was against his chest. She reached for the counter, finding a band to tie his hair back so he could sleep more easily. The silky strands slipped over her hands and through the band effortlessly.


"All done." she said softly.


He lifted his head and in the mirror she could see the tears that had silently streaked down his face. She rushed around to face him.


"Nick, baby, what's wrong? Are you okay?" she asked hurriedly.


He simply took her hands and brought them to his salted lips, shaking his head 'no'.


"Why are you crying?" she asked, but he just continued to shake his head. "Can you talk about it?"


Still, he shook his head 'no'.


"Let's go to bed, then?" she asked, realizing the flood of emotions raging through him.


He nodded 'yes' and got up. They turned off the lights and climbed into bed. Lexie snuggled up against his side, where she had spent most of this last year. He snuggled down until his head was tucked under her chin and she was holding him. Her hand came up and smoothed a few loose strands from his now warm forehead.


"Shhhh, honey, it'll be okay. I promise." she whispered in the darkness.

Chapter 11 by old_archive

Nick's warm forehead was more than a symptom of him being upset, he was running a fever by 6:00 a.m. The first warning cough came, then another and by the time Lexie heard Fatima and Brian later in the morning, Nick was positively wheezing. She was able to get him up and in a cool shower, then to take some cold medicine. He returned to bed for the rest of the morning.


Lexie got up and tended to Brian and Fatima. Fatima recounted her wild ride with Nick the night before over and over. CJ called and asked if she could spend another night at Grandma's. Lexie agreed, since Nick was going to be sick most of the weekend. Brian was there when she hung up the phone.


"You are very gracious to Nick's mother." he said. Lexie just looked back over at him.


"She's his mother and CJ's grandmother. I have to show her some respect, even if she doesn't show me any." Lexie sighed.


"That sounds like Howie talking." Brian chuckled.


"Well, he's my Dad." she chuckled with him. "So, when is your guys' flight out?"


"Well, I scheduled it late, expecting to spend some time with Nick."


"I'm sorry. I don't see that happening." she smiled. "I've got enough cold medicine in him to drop a horse. He'll be out of it most of the day."


"It'll be good for him. Are you sure she didn't poison him?" Brian joked.


"Now who's being evil?" she laughed.


"I promised Tima the sights and we'll catch our flight out this evening."


"I'm sorry, Bri, I wish we could have come with you." Lexie said.


"I know, I know. It's fine. I still know my way around L.A." he said, putting an arm around her and steering her out of the kitchen. "So, when are you guys moving to Orlando?"


"Brian! Sh! You weren't suppose to mention that!" Lexie gasped.


"You were so excited when we last talked. You changed your mind?" he asked.


"No, it's just Nick didn't want anyone to know yet. He doesn't want CJ to find out before he tells her." Lexie smiled as they stepped out on to the veranda. "Did you get that address for me?"


"Of Nick's old house in Tampa? Sure, it's in my wallet. What do you want that for?" he asked as they sat down at a table.


"I thought I'd look into seeing if we could buy it again. He's talked about it enough times and we both love the ocean so much it would be perfect."


"Do you really want to live in another house where he lived with other women?" Brian asked.


"None of that matters any more, Brian. Nick loves me and I can't help he had a life before me. I live here. It only matters that we're together." she said.


"You keep talking like that and I'm gonna fall in love with you." he chuckled.


"Funny, Bri." she chuckled with him.


"Lexie?" Fatima spoke from the glass doors. "Nick is asking for you."


Lexie looked at her watch as she got to her feet.


"He's up already?" she said, shaking her head.


"Tima, get your bags. I called a car earlier and we're going to go sight seeing before we head home." Brian said, following Lexie in.


Lexie jogged upstairs to find Nick sitting up in bed. His face was red and hot. His eyes were drifting shut.


"Nick, you need to go back to bed."


"What happened?" he groaned.


"You just caught something last night." she sighed.


"I gotta piss."


"Thank you for that lovely commentary. Let's go." she chuckled, reaching for his hand. He took hers, groaning as he got up and slowly stumbled into the bathroom.


As he stood going, he asked her, "Where's Frick and Frack?"


"They are going sight-seeing. Their flight is tonight."


"That bites."


"Yes it does."


"Lex?"


"Hmm?"


"I feel like shit."


"I know, baby." she smiled as he pulled himself together and stopped to wash his hands and face. He stumbled past her and got back into bed.


"Lex?"


"Yes, Nick?"


"Can you get the fairy bunny?" he groaned.


"I can do that." she chuckled.


She returned with the pink rabbit and placed a moist compress on his head. He snuggled down into the blankets and she left to say good bye to Brian and Fatima. She thanked them for bringing the car back to Nick and stood on the front stoop, waving good-bye as they rode off.



The rest of Saturday went quietly as Nick rested. Lexie kept Nick hydrated, cooled and medicated most of the day. Sunday morning, he was only slightly better and she began to worry. How would he ever handle their meeting with Christine and her attorney if he wasn't better by Monday morning? Could Sabrina convince them to reschedule until Nick was better?


By Sunday evening, Lexie was on the phone with his doctor's answering service. The doctor thought it was important for him to see Nick, so she made an appointment for first thing Monday. She made arrangements with Jane for her driver to come and pick up CJ's school things. Lexie reassured CJ that her father only had a cold and that he would be better soon.


There was no time to enjoy sunrises, Cook's hot coffee, or hot crossed buns as Lexie hustled about getting Nick up, dressed and in a hired car. It would be a tight squeeze getting from one office to the other with the meeting with Christine being at 10 that morning. Not knowing what was going to happen, neither she or Nick wanted to bother with driving.


Lexie was in the hallway of the doctor's office calling Sabrina's home early as Nick was being examined.


"Hello?" Sabrina answered.


"Sabrina? It's Lexie." Lexie sighed.


"Good morning, what can I do for you? Is everything alright?"


"No, well, yes. Nick is sick. Sabrina, I don't think he can make any decisions today. I'm sure he's got another sinus infection and the doctor will put him on pain medications."


"Hmmm. Well, unfortunately, I don't know what their demands are. I doubt they will be expecting an immediate answer from you. Are Nick's wishes the same? He doesn't want her to see CJ at all?"


"I don't know. I guess. I think he's also waiting to see what she wants." Lexie said, watching the door for Nick.


"Well, bring him and he can just sit through the meeting. How alert is he?"


"Oh, he's alert, but he just feels awful, especially since he meant to spend the weekend with CJ."


"I can understand that, I'm sure the pain isn't helping either. I've got enough to make them wait for a rebuttal of their demands. Don't worry about it. We can wait to make any decisions once his head is clear." Sabrina reassured her.


"Thank you, Sabrina. I'm so sorry to call so early. . ."


"Anytime. You can call me at anytime." Sabrina reassured her.


Lexie was hanging up from her call when Nick came out of the office, putting prescriptions in his pocket.


"You call Sabrina?" he asked. "What did she say?"


"We'll go through with the meeting. She said we don't have to make any decisions today. What did the doctor say?"


"Some kind of virus and a sinus infection." Nick sighed. "Let's go get these filled and head to the office."



Howie Dorough hadn't minced words with Tina. He had told her exactly what he thought of doing business her way and her 'fight fire with fire' speech, but he still wasn't happy. Tina wondered why that bothered her. This wouldn't be the first time she had worked for clients who didn't like her methods, only her results.


"I just want my company when you're done." Howie said firmly. "I need this for my wife and children's future. Do you understand me, Ms. Ryans?"


She understood it. She had done it hundreds of times. She went back to pouring over the documents Lisa had sent her from Orlando and her "proof" that SDR was ripe for a hostile takeover. Now, who are the major stock holders? Why did this B.N. Holdings, Inc. concern her?



The conference table was clear of everything, except a pitcher of water, glasses and a box of tissues. Sabrina brought nothing in with her, but had a law clerk hovering to bring her what she'd need once she knew what it was. She stretched out her legs under the table as she sat in the room alone. Of all the research they had done, Sabrina had a feeling that Christine's demands would be few. There came a knock on the door and Sabrina's assistant, Star, poked her head inside.


"Mr. and Mrs. Carter are here." She announced.


Sabrina brought her legs back underneath her and got to her feet.


"Let them in." Sabrina smiled. "Nick, Lexie."


They all shook hands and Sabrina sat Nick to her immediate right and Lexie to Nick's right. Nick looked like walking death.


"You going to be alright?" Sabrina asked.


"Fine. I got some antibiotics this morning. They should kick in."


"Did the doctor give you any pain medication? Have you taken them?"


"He gave them to me, but I haven't take them yet." Nick sighed, suddenly breaking into a coughing fit. Lexie and Sabrina both reached for a glass to give him some water. Sabrina let Lexie care for Nick. Lexie poured and he gratefully took it. Sabrina slid the box of tissues closer, but Nick had his own in his pocket.


"What did the doctor say was wrong with you?" Sabrina asked.


"Sinus infection and some virus." he said, clearing his throat and drinking a little more water. Sabrina reached over and squeezed his hand.


"I'll do everything I can to make this quick, okay?"


"Thank you." he nodded.


Nick hadn't spoken to Lexie about the meeting all morning. He hadn't said one word until he asked her to call and explain the situation to Sabrina. His hand reached for Lexie's under the table. It was ice cold as she held it and it trembled in hers. She was sure he felt miserable, as well as stressed by the upcoming events.


Another knock came at the door and it was Star again.


"Ms. James and her attorney, Mr. Silverstone." Star announced. All three of them got to their feet and waited for the other two to enter the room.


Lexie had seen plenty of pictures of Christine. She was tall, blonde and very beautiful. She was stunning with a child-like look in her eyes at times. She never looked very happy, but Nick had said she never had been happy at the house. A head full of sun-kissed golden hair, framing a perfect heart shaped face with these incredible blue eyes. Like his. Like CJ's. She had been vibrant and so full of life.


Nothing like the woman that stood in front of them.


Lexie heard Nick gasp, then break into a fit of coughing. Christine's lawyer took that advantage to sit them at the far end of the conference table, with Christine to his left on Lexie's side of the table. About a half of dozen chairs separated them.


Lexie just nodded as Sabrina introduced her, but she turned her attention back to pouring Nick some more water and smoothing his back as his coughing settled. Seeing Lexie care for Nick in a loving manner was exactly what Sabrina wanted the other attorney to see.


"I'm sorry to see you're under the weather, Mr. Carter." Mr. Silverstone said, opening his briefcase.


"Thank you, but I'm fine." Nick said, straightening his posture after wiping his nose one last time.


Joshua Silverstone was a young man. He was not much older than Sabrina herself. He was of average height and average weight. He was just that. . .average. They hadn't been able to gather any info on him, so Sabrina was hoping he was a straight up kind of guy. She knew better than to assume anything about anyone.


Sabrina caught Lexie's eyes on Christine; no doubt waging a war of her own inside. Sabrina hoped that her shock hadn't registered on the outside. This woman before them, was not the same Christine who walked out on Nick nearly seven years ago.


She wore a dark suit that was a couple of years outdated. Her skin was pale and thin, drawn taut against her angled cheekbones. Her head was wrapped a silk scarf, no doubt one she had had for years. It even looked familiar to Sabrina. If Lexie didn't realize it, Sabrina knew that Christine James was dying. It looked as though it would not be a gentle death either.


"Mr. Carter, as you know, Ms. James is here to discuss her daughter, Christine Jane. . ."


"She's MY daughter." Nick snapped. Sabrina reached and laid a hand on Nick's.


"I realize how you must feel. . ."


"No, you have no idea!" Nick said angrily.


"Nick, please. Mr. Silverstone, please direct your comments to me." Sabrina said firmly. "Mr. Carter and his wife are prepared to listen to your statements."


"My client, Ms. James. . . Christine. . . would like to make arrangements to. . ."


Nick was on his feet in a fury, but his protests were violently interrupted by fits of coughing. He tried to wave both Sabrina and Lexie off.


"Mr. Silverstone, if you'll excuse us. Mr. Carter needs to collect himself. Lexie, wait here." Sabrina ordered, steering Nick out of the conference room.


Lexie sat herself back down and crossed her legs, dropping her eyes to her hands in her lap. She began to absently twist her wedding ring back and forth. She lifted her head a couple of times towards the door as though looking for Nick. She could see people moving back and forth through the mini-blind covered windows out into the offices.


There came another knock and Star came in the room.


"Excuse me. Mr. Silverstone? Ms. Carlson would like to see you in her office."


"I thought we would be meeting in here." he said, getting to his feet. "I haven't requested closed door meetings."


"I believe she'd like to reschedule for tomorrow because Mr. Carter isn't well." Star said.


"Is he alright?" Lexie asked.


"He's fine. He's in the restroom collecting himself. Mr. Silverstone, if you'll follow me." Star insisted. He followed her out, leaving the two women alone behind a closed door.


Fairy bunnies guide me. . .



"You're dying." Lexie said simply without looking up. There was a long silence before she answered.


"Yes."


Lexie got out of her chair and walked the length of the table, taking a seat next to her. Christine hadn't looked up since she came into the room. She did so as Lexie sat down. Her hollow eyes lifted to Lexie's.


"You're beautiful." Christine whispered. "I've seen pictures from the wedding. . ."


"I've seen pictures too. Well, not of the wedding. My folks haven't sent them yet." Lexie chuckled softly.


Lexie's hand reached into Christine's lap and lifted her hand until it was resting on the table.


"Do you want to see CJ?" Lexie asked.


"Yes. Can you talk to Nick?" Christine said, her eyes filling with tears.


"Yes, I can." Lexie nodded.


Christine's bottom lip began to tremble as the tears tumbled from her eyes down her pale, drawn cheeks. Lexie got up and brought her the box of tissues, pulling a few out and handing them to Christine. The other woman blotted her face, wiping her eyes.


"Tell me what I can do." Lexie said.


"You're not only beautiful, you're kind." Christine said, almost bitterly. "I have ovarian cancer. They've done everything they could for me, but it's too late now."


"I'm so sorry. I promise, I'll talk to Nick about CJ. . ."


Christine's bony hand came out and took Lexie's again. Lexie's eyes went from the tight grip Christine had on her hand to her eyes.


"There's more, so much more. . ." Christine choked.


"What? What is it?" Lexie asked.


"My. . . my. . ."


"Yes? You can tell me." Lexie encouraged. Christine looked away and let go of Lexie's hand. She knotted the tissues in her hands in her lap.


"I have no right to ask this."


"Please, tell me what I can do for you."


"I have a son, Lexie. His name is Scotty; he's only four years old. Lexie, if. . . when I die. He doesn't have anywhere to go. I want him to be with you and Nick." She said, taking Lexie's hand with a sense of urgency and desperation. "Please. . .please talk to Nick. He. . . he's not Nick's if you're wondering. . ."


"No, I. . ." Lexie stammered, but the conference room door opened and her attorney, Sabrina and Nick all returned.


Christine quickly let go of Lexie and got to her feet.


"We've rescheduled." Mr. Silverstone said. Christine only nodded, as she headed for the door. Nick and Sabrina gave her a wide berth. Her attorney gauged Lexie's face for a hint of what his client may have said to her. He collected his things, gave proper good-byes to everyone and headed out.


Lexie hadn't moved from the spot where Christine had left her.


I have a son. . .

Chapter 12 by old_archive

When Nick and Sabrina had asked Lexie how she was, she said 'fine'. She stood up and straightened her suit jacket, gathered her purse, and followed Nick downstairs to the waiting car. They got in and drove away from the law firm without any fuss.


In the car, Nick continued to cough and sneeze. Lexie tended to him, but seemed far away when they settled down for the ride home. She held his hand, but turned away from him and stared out the tinted windows.


Once home, she released the driver and went into the house after Nick. They went upstairs to change without speaking until Lexie suggested he take some pain medication and take a nap. Nick was down to his briefs and a t-shirt when he took his first dose. He took the pill, then the water from her hand, and she put him to bed. She clicked off the table lamp, but before she could get off the bed to leave, he caught her hand.


"Fairy bunnies know when you're lying." he chuckled, trying to ease her tension.


"I'm sorry, Nick." she mumbled.


He sat up on his elbows. "Now you have me worried. What did she say to you? She did say something, didn't she?"


Lexie only nodded.


"Tell me."


"I. . .can't right now. . .I'm sorry. Go to sleep and let me sort it out." she said, beginning to choke on her words.


"Lexie, you have to tell me."


"I know, I know. I will, I promise. Just let me think about it, okay? You need to rest." She leaned over to kiss his still warm forehead.


"I want you to tell me."


"I will, but I have to find the words." she said quietly. "Please, Nick."


He lay back down without another word. She tucked the blankets around him and left the room, closing the door behind her.



An hour passed, and Lexie found herself wandering the halls, finally stopping to look at her watch. It was barely noon, which meant it was nearly 3 in Orlando. Lexie went into the den and closed the door. She sat at Nick's desk, picked up the phone, and dialed his office number.


"SDR Records." Lexie heard after two rings.


"Howie Dorough, please." she choked, trying to rein in her emotions.


"May I ask who's calling?"


"His daughter, Lexie."


"Of course, hold on."


Lexie seemed to be on hold forever when the line picked up and she heard a familiar voice.


"Lexie?"


"Michelle?"


"Hi, honey." she chuckled.


"Uh. . .can I talk to my Dad?"


"He's in a meeting right now."


"Is it really important? Could you get him out of it?" Lexie pleaded. The phone was pressed up against her ear as her head dropped into her hands.


"I'll ask him. Hang on, dear."



Howie looked up as Michelle walked into the room. She came quietly to his side and whispered in his ear that Lexie really needed to talk to him. Howie excused himself and followed Michelle out to the hall.


"Is it really important?" Howie asked Michelle.


"I think so. She sounds pretty upset." Michelle nodded.


Howie scratched his chin and looked over his shoulder at the closed meeting room door, then back to her.


"I'll take it in my office. Tell those guys they can go home. I've heard about all the teenage screeching I can handle." Howie smiled, turning to head down the hall to his office.


Once there, he closed the door and settled into his chair before picking up the receiver.


"Hey, Sweetheart." he smiled.


"Oh, Daddy. . ." was all he heard before he heard her break down in tears.


"Lexie? Honey? Are you okay? Baby, what's wrong? Is it Nick? Did he do something?" Howie asked.


"No, no, no. . ." she protested between sobs. "I'm so scared, Dad. I don't know what to do."


In between sobs and hiccups, she told him the whole story. The way Christine's lawyer called; how they were afraid of losing CJ; how, when Lexie was alone with Christine, Christine told her why she was trying to contact them in the first place.


"What do you know about the boy?" Howie asked.


"Nothing. I don't know anything."


"What does Nick say about all of this?"


"He doesn't know yet."


"He doesn't know?!"


"He wasn't in the room when she told me. He's sick and taking a nap right now. I promised to tell him when he wakes up. I don't know how to tell him. Dad, I don't know what I'm gonna say." she sobbed. "What about CJ? It's wrong of him to keep them apart. She has the right to know her mother and her brother."


"Are you sure he'll keep them apart?"


"I'm sure he will. He wasn't going to let her back into CJ's life when he thought she was healthy." Lexie said, her sobs easing.


"What did you tell him about that?" Howie asked.


"I didn't. He's CJ's father, and he didn't ask my opinion."


"When did that ever stop you?" Howie chuckled.


"Dad!" she giggled.


How he missed hearing her girlish giggles. How he had missed her so much since she ran away, leaving him standing in AJ's hotel suite a couple of years ago. She ran straight to Nick and never seemed to look back.


Until now.


Now that she needed someone, she called him. His heart swelled with pride and love, as he fought the battle to turn her back over to Nick. He was her husband now, but she was so young and he loved her so much.


"Dad? You still there?" he heard her ask.


"Yeah, baby, I'm still here." he smiled softly into the phone.


"Oh. . .you know, I think Nick is up." she said suddenly. "I'd better go."


"Oh, okay." Howie said.


"Thanks, Dad."


"Honey, I didn't do anything." He chuckled.


"You listened to me. Like always. I love you, Dad."


"I love you, little girl." he said softly. "Just talk to Nick. You'll work it out."


"Okay. . .yes, he's definitely up. I'd better go."


"Okay, I'll talk to you later."


"See ya." she said, hanging up the phone.


Howie stared at the phone receiver until it buzzed the 'off the hook' tone at him. His little girl. AJ's little girl. Nick's wife. He hung up the phone and closed his eyes. He did miss her terribly.



Lexie found Nick coming down the stairs as she was heading up. His hair was a mess again, laying about his face and shoulders like a wildman.


"Any better?" she asked.


He just grunted and moved past her into the kitchen. He made a beeline for the refrigerator. Lexie followed him and handed him a glass. He filled it with ice water and drank two glasses before he stopped.


"Better?" she asked softly.


He walked over and put the glass in the sink. "My head still hurts."


"Want to go lay back down?"


"You come with me?" he asked.


"Of course. Come on." She smiled as he slipped his arm over her shoulder and they headed upstairs.


Once upstairs, Lexie kicked off her shoes and climbed under the covers with him. He snuggled up and settled his head on her shoulder, neatly tucking his head under her chin.


"Are you going to tell me now?" he asked quietly. He felt her take a deep breath.


"Christine is dying."


"What?!" he declared suddenly, lifting his head to look at her. "I just thought it was drugs or something. . ."


"She has cancer. She doesn’t have a lot of time left."


"Oh my god. . ." he breathed, his voice trailing off as he looked away from her.


"She wants to see CJ before she dies." Lexie continued. Nick remained in his stunned silence. "There’s more."


"What?" he asked, looking back at her.


"She has a four year old son as well. . ."


"She has what?!" he groaned, interrupting Lexie.


"She wants us to raise him once she’s gone."


"No way! There is no way in hell I’m raising her kid!" Nick snapped, sitting all the way up.


"Nick, listen. . ." Lexie began, but he had already thrown back the covers and began to get out of bed.


"NO! I mean it, Lexie! I’m not doing this!" he snapped.


"Nick! Just listen to me. . ." she began.


"The kid must have a father. . .unless she doesn’t know who it is." He snarled.


"Just listen to me. . ."


"I've done enough for that woman, I'm not doing any more. I’m not going to ask you to do it either. . ."


"What if I volunteered?" Lexie said in a calmer tone than Nick’s.


"NO! Goddamn it, Lexie, I mean it!"


"What about CJ?"


"What about her?" he growled.


"She has the right to know her mother. . ."


"She has no idea who her mother is! She doesn't even care! We’ll just tell her she's dead." Nick growled as he paced.


"She does care. . ."


"How the hell would you know?!" he snapped.


"Because I know, Nick. I've been there. I was older when I lost my mother. . ."


"You knew who she was. CJ has never known her, she won’t even miss her!"


"If she finds out the truth, Nick, she'll hate you!" Lexie said, crawling out of the bed and going to face him. "Do you want that? Do you want what happened to me and AJ to happen to you and CJ? Do you? Christine is her mother, whether you like it or not."


"Do you want to make CJ watch Christine die? Is that what you want to do? When she's older, she'll understand. Am I supposed to bring her into CJ's life just for her to leave again?"


"It's better than lying to her!"


"I'm protecting her! She's my daughter, and I know what's best for her!"


"You're wrong, Nick!"


"I'm what?!"


"Nick, CJ has the right to know her mother and her brother."


"No, Lexie, I mean it! I'm not letting that woman back in this house."


"Nick, you can't let your feelings for Christine affect how you treat CJ."


"No, it isn't going to happen!" Nick insisted.


Lexie let out a heavy sigh and turned from him to crawl up on the bed. She lay down and threw an arm over her eyes.


"I wish we could talk about this. . ." she began, but there was no point. Nick had left the room and was, no doubt, headed to the basement studio. "I still think you're wrong."



CJ was home for dinner that evening, but Nick has gone back to bed after some more medication. Lexie and CJ talked over Cook's leftovers until it was time for the little girl to go to bed. She got into her pajamas and went to crawl into bed with Nick. The two of them were asleep in no time.


Lexie couldn't sleep. Even after laps in the pool and a hot, hot shower, she couldn't unwind.


"No, Lexie, I mean it! I'm not letting that woman back in this house."


She believed him, too. He wouldn't, unless she could convince him otherwise. How was she ever going to do that? When Christine left him alone to raise CJ, she had hurt him in ways Lexie was sure even Nick didn’t understand. Hell, she wasn't even sure she understood them.


She sat wrapped in her robe in the sunroom, turning to catch Nick's mementos on a distant windowsill. A toy wooden sailboat, an old Mariner’s eyeglass, seashells and one ship in a bottle. So many of her things were still in Orlando. . .Orlando. Everything she needed was in Orlando.

Chapter 13 by old_archive

"Dad?" CJ asked as Nick came back from the bathroom the next morning.


"Yeah, baby?"


"How come Lexie slept downstairs?" she asked, sitting up.


"I. . .uh. . . I don't know. Maybe she just fell asleep down there." He stammered.


"Lexie always sleeps with you."


"Well, maybe she stayed up studying or something. You know how she likes to read all the time." He shrugged. "Come on, little girl. Time for your shower."


CJ was showered and getting dressed when Nick finally went downstairs. Cook was there already and cooking CJ's breakfast. He and Lexie weren't big breakfast eaters.


"What did you do?" Cook said as he opened the refrigerator for some juice.


"What? I didn't do anything."


"I know she slept downstairs." Cook whispered harshly.


"It was nothing." He lied. Cook just snorted at him and acknowledged CJ's presence.


"Come on, CJ. Let's eat so I can take you to school."


"Lexie isn't taking me?" CJ asked as she sat at the table.


"No, Lexie had to go run some errands this morning." Cook began.


"Where'd she go?" Nick asked. Cook gave him a cool look.


"She left that for you." Cook said pointing to the closed refrigerator door.


A note, written in her handwriting, was under a magnet.


Master of the House is not heeding

Tender wishes of The Queen

Princess must tend to her day

Master must see his soul sated

Speak to the Keeper of the Quarters

To seek the Master's garments

House holds the Queen

After she visits with the Sisters

And Princess' day has ended.


"What did she say?" CJ asked.


"She's going to pick you up after school. Cook, can you get the dry cleaning? I'll be in the studio." He sighed.


"Where'd she go?" Cook asked.


"To see Jill."



Lexie meant to go to see Jill and Sabrina, but she knew they wouldn't give her the information she wanted. She wanted Christine's phone number. Chances were that they didn't have any other number but her lawyer's.


"Hey, Lex-girl!" she heard the gruff voice call for her across the lobby.


That's why she was here at Marty Portlowe's office. She needed a private detective.


He lumbered his huge roly-poly body across the lobby and drew her into a sloppy bear hug; one she was sure would snap her spine.


"You got some more work for your Uncle Marty?" he teased.


Lexie choked to catch her breath, but he didn't even notice as he dragged her by her hand into his office. He sat her in a leather chair across from his desk, and his high-backed leather office chair creaked loudly as he settled himself in it.


"You know, I haven't been able to finish up that ring thing. . ."


"Oh, no. This isn't about that, Marty."


"I like it when you pretty little girls bring me those little artsy things of yours." He directed a cutesy smile toward her.


"I know you do, and we appreciate you tracking down that jeweler, but my situation is a little more personal."


"Oh really? Is that no good husband of yours cheating on you already? I'll kill the bastard for you. . ."


"No, no!" she laughed. "It's not Nick, but it's his ex-girlfriend, CJ's mother."


"Really? Hmmm, what do you need?"


"I need to know her phone number and address. I have an old picture, her lawyer's name, and. . ."


"Why don't you just call her lawyer?


"I don't want to talk to him.


"Why the sudden interest in the angel's mother? Huh? She trying to hit that husband of yours up for some money?"


"No, not exactly. We did have a meeting with her. . .Marty? She's dying, and she has a son."


"That bastard had another kid with her!" he declared, pulling himself up to his feet. The effort it took to get his huge frame up as quickly as he did in protest was not lost on Lexie.


"No, no! It's not Nick's, although I'd like to know who the father is. She's dying and she wants to see CJ and she wants me and Nick to take the boy. . ."


Marty's graying bushy eyebrows knitted together as he sat down again with a large huff.


"What are you doing, girl?"


"I'm not exactly sure. I need to talk to her." Lexie admitted quietly.


"What do you need?"


"I need her phone number and address, what her finances are like, who the boy's father is, and to confirm how sick she really is." Lexie said, setting some papers on the desk in front of him.


"That husband of yours know you're here?" Marty asked seriously.


"No, and I don't want him to find out."


"Not a word, missy, I promise." He grunted. "All that, huh? Shouldn't take too long."


"Good. The sooner, the better." Lexie nodded.



Daily errands kept Lexie out all day until it was time to pick up CJ. CJ had some questions about Lexie and Nick's fight, but Lexie told her not to worry. Lexie was sure that she and Nick would come to some resolution.


CJ ran into the house from the garage, banging her backpack along the way. Lexie met Cook in the kitchen, and she told Lexie that Nick had slept off and on all day, but was down in the studio right now. Lexie found CJ's backpack on the top of the stairs leading down to the studio. She left it there as she went down and let herself in. CJ was sitting on Nick's lap, and they stopped talking when she came into the room.


"CJ, you left your books on the stairs. Please take them to your room and change into some play clothes." Lexie asked politely. CJ looked back at Nick and then clamored down.


"Okay." She said as she ran out and slammed the door behind her, leaving Nick and Lexie alone.


"How come you didn't come to bed?" Nick asked, turning his back to her and fidgeting with the console in front of him.


"I couldn't sleep. No point keeping everyone awake." Lexie said.


"I'm not going to discuss Christine seeing CJ again." Nick said firmly.


"Okay." Lexie said. For now.


"I don't want you talking to her either. I thought you were going to meet with Jill and Sabrina?" Nick said, finally turning back to her.


"I didn't make it." Lexie said, steadily meeting his gaze. He broke off first.


"I called down there."


"I figured, since you knew I hadn't been there."


"I do listen to you. I heard what you said last night." He said quietly. "How come you were going to see Sabrina?"


"I want to remove my name from the adoption request and stop the papers."


"Why?! Don't you want to adopt CJ?!" he asked, shocked.


"I'd love to, but signing those papers would legally make me her mother. No piece of paper is going to change that you're her father first and you have no intention of letting me help raise her."


"Lexie, that isn't fair."


"You want me to tell you what isn't fair? It's not fair to deny CJ her mother for what little time they have left. It's not fair to deny CJ the chance at another mother, me. It's not fair that what demons you have rolling around inside there are let loose to eat at all of us." Lexie sighed. "If you are not willing to even discuss CJ and Christine, then I am not willing to continue with the adoption."


"God, Lexie, why are you doing this?" Nick asked. Lexie could hear the hurt and disbelief in his voice.


"I think you're wrong, and I'm trying to make a point." Lexie said.


"Do you have to do it like this?" he asked.


"It's the only way I can think of." She sighed. "I love you, Nick. I always will, but I signed on to be your life partner, not some damn trophy wife."


"But you didn't go see Sabrina?" he asked.


"No, not yet."


"Then there is time for you to change your mind?" he said, getting up and taking her by the arms. She didn't look up to meet his eyes.


"Will you consider changing yours?" she asked quietly.


Nick sighed heavily and then dropped his forehead on top of her head. Her body was tight, and she was geared for a fight. He drew her in and held her close to him.


"I'll consider it."



It wasn't yes, it wasn't no, but it was enough to get on with their lives. They all settled down as a family over another one of Cook's fabulous meals of chicken and dumplings. CJ could still sense the tension between them, but they seemed to be getting along for the most part.


Nick asked her about her day, and she told them about a boa constrictor that came to visit the class. She tattled on Jane, who got in trouble for tripping another little girl.


"Why did she do that?" Nick asked.


"Because." CJ shrugged. "Patti isn’t very pretty, and she doesn’t have new uniforms. . ."


"Good grief! Is that what you're learning in school?" Nick sighed.


"I didn't do anything!" CJ protested.


"C, you know that not everyone has famous parents like you and Jane and not everyone has a lot of money." Nick said.


"I know, but she wears these ugly glasses. . ."


"Well, I have to wear glasses." Nick said.


"I know, but. . ."


"No buts, I don't believe this." Nick sighed heavily.


"What happened after she fell down?" Lexie asked.


"She started crying." CJ said quietly, feeling the guilt of her father's admonishment.


"Did anyone help her?"


"Someone did, one of the other girls. . ." CJ mumbled.


"Perhaps next time, you can be the one to help her." Lexie chuckled.


"But I don't want the other kids laughing at me too." CJ groaned.


"Sometimes it's hard to do the right thing, but it still has to be done. Like when your father fought with the unions. It wasn't easy, but he felt it had to be done." Lexie said.


"Okay." CJ sighed.


"Besides that, how did that spelling test go?" Lexie asked.


Nick fell silent as the girls talked about CJ's day. CJ asked Lexie if she'd be sleeping in the bed tonight, and she said yes. CJ said she wanted to sleep with them both.


It was a beautiful evening, and the girls took time to finish CJ's homework, play outside and then finally begin to head off to bed. Nick complained his head hurt, took some more painkillers, and went to bed right after dinner. Quietly, CJ and Lexie joined him after he had fallen asleep. CJ made Lexie sleep in the middle. CJ watched as Lexie cuddled up to Nick's arm and laid her head on his shoulder. He snorted for a moment, but drifted right off again. CJ snuggled up behind Lexie, her cold toes against Lexie's legs.



Nick couldn't resist taking Lexie in his arms as he slowly woke the next day. He pretended he was asleep as he held her close. They only had these few days left until he had to leave, and he didn't want to spend them like this. He wanted to make love to her each morning and night before he had to leave. This morning though, CJ was still in bed with them. Today wasn't looking too hopeful either. AJ and Alex would be flying in.


The alarm went off, and CJ was the first one out of bed and into the bathroom. Lexie struggled a moment to get out of his arms, but he held on tighter and whispered in her hair.


"I love you."


"I love you, too." She said back to him.


"Have Cook take CJ to school this morning." He said.


"No, I promised I would." She said.


"Come straight home?" he asked.


"I will." She agreed, and he finally let go of her. She got out of bed and went into the bathroom after CJ without even looking at him.


Lexie did as she promised. She drove to the school and then right back home. Nick had gotten up and showered, but was waiting in bed for her. He asked her to come closer and he noticed how she hesitated. Once in his reach, he gently pulled her down into his arms. He kissed her, but felt her resistance. He bristled at it and let go of her. He sat up with his back to her as she lay across their bed.


"Nick?"


"I'm not going to force you." He muttered angrily. "Is this really how you want to spend our last days together? Fighting?"


"No." she said. Nick wasn't prepared for the break in her voice. It broke his heart and he looked back at her, watching the crystalline tears form in her eyes.


"I'm sorry."


"Oh, don't be sorry." He moaned, putting his head in his hands. Why does she have to be so damn stubborn! “I don't understand why you're so upset about this any way? You didn't want Chris back either."


He felt her get off the bed. She walked across the room, opened something and then another something hit him in the back. He snapped his head up and looked behind him. He found her mother's pearls snaked in a pile behind him. He gently picked them up.


"I want CJ to know her mother." Lexie said. She sounded bitter and frustrated. "Because someday she's going to wear those pearls and have the same feelings I did. Would Mom be proud? Would she be happy for me? Would she understand? How can I make you understand?"


The smooth pearls slid over his fingers, and he bent his head over them.


"I understand, Lexie. I've had the same thoughts about my own mother, and she's not even dead." He said quietly.


"I can't ask for more than you listen to me and try to understand. Nick, I don't want you to do anything you're not comfortable with, but I need to know that you’re not going to be hasty about this." Lexie said, coming to sit on the bed next to him. "I know you love CJ. I know you love me. If you make the wrong decision now, Nick, there may be no going back. Once Christine is gone, there are no more second chances.


Nick was silent as he looked up at her and searched her eyes. Must be Amanda, because AJ was never this smart. He nodded in silent agreement.


"I'll think about it.


"Oh, thank you, Nick. God, that's all I want." She groaned, relieved. For now.

Chapter 14 by old_archive

The love they made that morning was bittersweet; so much to say and so many ways to say it, but still no resolution. Nick loved Lexie and she loved him, but there wasn’t anything more they could say to each other at this point.


They stood outside on the front step as the van with tinted windows carrying AJ and Alex pulled up to the house. The door swung open to reveal Alex and AJ in the back. Alex squealed when he saw Nick lean in. He threw his hands up and away from the buckles that AJ was trying to undo. Alex scrambled out of his seat, crawled over AJ, and launched himself into Nick’s waiting hands.


"Uncle Nick!" he laughed wickedly as Nick swung him up onto his shoulders. He took hold of Nick’s tail, but didn’t pull too hard because he and Nick had done this many times before.


After spotting Lexie, he instantly wanted down and leaned until he fell into her waiting hands. He hugged her tightly around the neck until she started choking and laughing at the same time.


AJ stepped forward as the driver began to unload their luggage. He reached to take both Alex and Lexie into his arms.


"How’s my baby girl?" he asked softly, his dark eyes flooding with his love.


"I’m fine, Dad." She blushed. He kissed her suddenly warm cheek and then turned to Nick.


"This big lug taking care of you?!" he joked, punching Nick in the arm. Nick took a playful swipe at him, and they tussled a bit in the front yard.


Lexie instructed the driver to take their bags inside, and they all gathered on the veranda as Cook finished up with the details. Alex peered out between the columns at the play yard and then turned to AJ.


"Can I go play there?" He asked pointing.


"No, not yet." AJ smiled as he settled into a seat.


"Where’s CJ?" he asked without moving from where he was.


"CJ’s still at school. She’ll be home soon." Lexie said.


"When is soon?"


"After your nap." AJ said.


"I’m not tired!" Alex protested.


"You didn’t sleep at all on the plane. You need to go take a nap. C’mon, let’s go lay down." AJ said, getting to his feet. Alex screaming at the top of his lungs in protest heralded AJ’s efforts. He wasn’t happy with the idea of a nap, and he was pretty much going to let the whole neighborhood know.


Nick and Lexie laughed in sympathy as AJ headed upstairs. Nick watched them disappear into the house and then reached across the table and took Lexie’s hand.


"I love you, baby." He said softly.


"I love you too." She smiled just as softly. She always loved the gentle part of him that needed reassurance. Amidst the turmoil of the last couple days, they both needed some.



Nick and AJ went to pick up CJ at school. Lexie was left to finish up some email correspondences with Karen and Nikki at the fan club. The phone rang, and she absently reached to pick it up.


"Carter residence."


"Are all the Carters in their places with bright shiny faces?" Brian teased her.


"Well, no, I’m the only one." She laughed.


"The As make it there okay?"


"Yep. AJ and Nick went to pick up CJ and Alex is still sleeping."


"Hey, kiddo, I got some bad news about Nick’s old Tampa house. It slid into the ocean a couple years ago during a hurricane."


"Oh, no." she groaned.


"Yeah. We had some good times there, but it’s gone." Brian said. "I’m going to email you the real estate info I got from a lister. You still looking into Tampa and not Orlando?"


"I don’t know, honestly. I’d like a place with an ocean view, and I know Nick would, too. I also want to be close to my parents."


"Orlando’s only about an hour away."


"True, but I need a pool house and a guest house. . ."


"You guys could just build something."


"I don’t have that kind of time."


"Lexie? What’s going on?" Brian asked. Lexie suddenly realized she almost let her plan slip.


"Nothing. It’s just great having one here that I’d like one in Tampa as well. It’s great when Nick is gone and the girls come over." She lied.


"Okay." Brian’s tone told Lexie that he believed her.


"Want me to tell them you called?"


"Sure, but I’m just going to see them Monday."


"That’s right. Okay."


"Love you, kiddo. Take care."


"You too! Give my best to the girls."


Brian and Lexie finished up their goodbyes as CJ came tearing into the room. She hugged Lexie, said ‘hi’, then ran out of the room to go upstairs and change into play clothes. Nick and AJ were laughing as they came into the den.


"Think she’s happy to be home?" Lexie laughed, getting to her feet. She dutifully kissed them both on the cheek.


"I’d say." AJ laughed.


"Oh, Brian just called."


"What did he want?" Nick asked.


"Wanted to make sure AJ and Alex got here okay and to say he’d see you guys on Monday." She shrugged.


"I can’t believe you guys are going to use him on this album." Nick sighed.


"Just for backup vocals on a few tunes. We might not even use those songs. We’re just trying stuff out." AJ said. "Relax, Nick. It’s not going to be a Backstreet reunion."


"It’s been a couple years, you just need to try out all different kinds of material." Lexie said.


"I know, and you don’t want me wearing a suit on the cover." He sighed.


"Please, God, anything but another suit." She groaned playfully.


"I think you need a haircut, too." AJ added.


"I am not cutting the hair." Nick said firmly.


Lexie threw up her hands to AJ and headed out the door. AJ began to follow her out as they heard CJ calling for help with Alex.


"I’m not. I mean it!" he protested as they left the room.



Nick and AJ took the children outside onto the play yard for the rest of the afternoon. Lexie sat on the deck talking to Jill on the phone and watching them play.


"So, have you guys decided what to do about Christine?" she asked.


"No. We’ve argued about it, but that’s it. Sabrina hasn’t heard from her, has she?"


"No. Lexie, what did Christine say to you? What does she want?"


"I don’t know if I should say yet. I told Nick, and he hasn’t settled on anything. I don’t want to rock the boat with him right now. AJ and Alex are here."


"It’s that bad?"


"Yes, it’s that bad." Lexie sighed. "But I’m sure it’ll work out."


"For your sake and happiness, I hope so." Jill said gently. "So, onto a happier note. You guys got plans for Friday?"


"No. We were going to take them out to dinner at some point." Lexie said.


"Aaron and I were thinking it would be great to take the kids to Disney."


"Really? Oh, that sounds great, but can we really get Aaron Carter, Nick Carter, and AJ McLean in the same public place without causing a riot?"


"Well, we could do it without them. Aaron is itching to get over there and give his input on Nick’s new album. Maybe I could get Angel to come too."


"Wait a second. You’re going to take a day off?" Lexie laughed.


"It’s been known to happen."


"Jillian Carter, are you pregnant already?!" Lexie demanded.


"No, no, not yet!" she laughed. "Not for a lack of trying, that’s for sure."


"You guys still taking most of March off?"


"Yes. We’ve got it narrowed down to Fuji, Monaco, or Italy."


"What will you do without Jane around?"


"Oh, we’ll have her with us for part of the trip. Angel has agreed to fly and pick her up where ever we end up."


"Sounds like you guys are on your way, then."


"The question is, what will you do without Nick around?"


"I’ll survive." Lexie sighed.


"You guys haven’t been apart in a long time."


"I know, I know, but we’ll be fine. CJ needs to stay in school, and I’ve got that job with Gina."


"But you won’t have Nick."


The way things were going, it might be a relief. Lexie thought. Pangs of guilt filled her for a moment.


"Lex, you okay?" Jill softly asked.


"Yeah, I’m fine. I’ll tell the guys about your plans." She said suddenly.


"Okay. Give me a call later."


"I will. See ya, Jill."


"Yeah, see ya."



After dinner, AJ and Nick put the kids to bed and joined Lexie for drinks in the living room. AJ watched as they sat at opposite ends of the couch and barely looked at each other.


"Jill called. She wants to take the kids to Disney on Friday." Lexie said.


"I don’t think we can arrange that kind of security by then." Nick said.


"No, just me and her, the kids, and maybe Angel." Lexie said. "Aaron wants to drop by and work with you guys."


"Sounds like fun." AJ said.


"What do you think?" Lexie asked Nick.


"Sure. It’s fine." He said distractedly.


"Okay. I’ll call Jill and let her know." Lexie said, getting up and heading into the den.


"What’s going on with you two?" AJ asked once Lexie was out of earshot.


"Nothing." Nick sighed, sitting back into the sofa.


"Bullshit." AJ snapped.


"Look, we’re just having a little disagreement. It’s nothing." Nick said. "She’ll get over it."


"Her? You’re the one pissed off right now."


"No. I’m fine." Nick said. "Just forget it okay? I’ve got a headache. I think I’m gonna turn in early."


AJ watched as Nick got to his feet and lumbered painfully out of the room toward the upstairs bedrooms. Lexie came in about 10 minutes later stopping dead in her tracks.


"Where’s Nick?" she asked.


"He said he had a headache and went to bed."


"Yeah, probably his sinuses again." She nodded. "Jill said she’d make all the arrangements for the kids on Friday."


"I hope you guys have fun." AJ said quietly.


"What’s wrong?" Lexie said, coming around to sit across from him.


He leaned his head on his knuckles as his elbow was propped on the arm of the chair. He looked at her intently.


"AJ?"


"What’s wrong? You guys okay? He giving you any problems?"


"Who? Nick? No, everything is fine." She smiled nervously.


"You have some kind of disagreement?"


"You could say that." Lexie said quietly.


"Was it about me? You guys don’t have to put us up, you know."


"Oh, no! AJ, you can stay here, you know that’s not a problem. It’s over something he and I have been discussing for the last couple of days."


"Is that why you made me wait until today to come out?"


"Yes."


"Is it serious?"


"Yes." Lexie admitted quietly. "But it’s going to be okay. I’ll work it out." Lexie looked up and saw the disbelief in his eyes. She shook her head ‘no’ as she spoke. "Don’t, Dad, be fair to him. I know you didn’t want this, but it’s going to be alright."


"I don’t want you to get hurt." AJ said, leaning forward and cupping her chin. "I love you, baby girl."


"I love you, too." She swallowed.


"You want to talk about it?" AJ asked, but Lexie already had with her. . .Howie.


"No. We just have to resolve it ourselves." Lexie smiled softly. "That’s what being married is about, isn’t it?"


"It doesn’t matter. If you ever need me, you know you can call me, don’t you? Day or night."


"Of course." She said with a nod, but tears began to well in her eyes.


"He has hurt you." AJ declared.


"NO, no!" she said, throwing her arms around his neck and landing in his lap. "I just miss you, Daddy. I just miss you so much."


"I miss you, too, baby." He said, holding her close in his arms.


AJ looked up and saw some movement by the doorway. He focused on it and realized it was Nick. He saw him turn and leave them alone again. He had no idea what was going on, but he knew if Nick Carter was hurting his daughter there would be hell to pay.



Lexie entered the dark bedroom to hear Nick’s heavy breathing. She went to the bedside, sat down, and put her hand on his forehead. He woke and in the dim light, she could see his eyes open.


"You okay?" she asked softly.


"It’s just my head. Too much up and down probably." He mumbled.


"You want a hot pack to drain your sinuses?"


"That would be nice." He yawned.


Lexie got up and changed for bed, then headed towards the bathroom to run a wash cloth under warm water for him. She wrung it out and carried it back to lay over his eyes and nose.


He reached up and took her hand.


"Baby, what did you tell him?"


"Tell who?" she asked, startled.


"AJ. What did you tell AJ?"


"Nothing." She said. "I didn’t tell AJ anything."


"I don’t want it getting out that Christine is trying to make contact with us."


"I didn’t tell AJ anything." She said, getting up to move to her side of the bed. She had told Howie, but she didn’t tell AJ a thing.


"Or anyone else." He said as she lifted the covers.


"I won’t say a thing until we settle this." Lexie said, making a point to let him know that the discussion was not closed, and that she still expected him to talk about it.


"Thank you, Lexie." He sighed.


Lexie closed her eyes and snuggled up to his arm. She only hoped he would be thanking her later once he found out what she was doing.

Chapter 15 by old_archive

Thursday moved quietly for them. Lexie spent the day reading and dealing with the fan club as AJ and Nick worked in the basement studio. Alex eagerly split his time between the men, Cook, and Lexie. Lexie went to town to have lunch, but she used it as an excuse to check in with her private detective. He didn't have anything yet. She spoke by phone to a few Florida real estate agents and did eventually eat with Gina to discuss starting work on Monday. The evening was warm, and dinner with the kids and then playing in the backyard capped it off for all of them.


The next morning, they surprised the kids with the trip to Disney. Lexie left with Alex and CJ to meet up at Aaron's house. Jill, Jane, and Angel were waiting excitedly for them. Aaron had arranged two bodyguards to follow them discreetly, but they were otherwise free to roam about the entire campus.


For hours, Lexie forgot all about Christine. She forgot all about AJ and Howie and Nick and the lot of them. She laughed until she cried, she screamed as she rode the roller coasters, and ate until she thought she would be sick. She didn't really remember who she was until she saw her name flash at her from a credit card. For a moment, time stood still and she wondered how many more Disney-like days they would have before it all changed forever.



Nick could only marvel at the change. She was smiling and laughing as they returned that night. She was affectionate all evening and right up to the time they went to bed. She showered, came to bed undressed, and pulled him into her arms.


"How's your head been?"


"Fine, just fine." He smiled, kissing her. "Damn, you're beautiful."


"Make love to me, Nick." she groaned against his lips.


He stopped for a moment, brushing the hair from her face.


"Baby, we need to talk before I go. . ." he began.


"No, Nick, not now." She said, laying her fingers on his lips. "Please not now."


Her lips and hands sought him, bringing him to untold pleasures. She continued to beg him until he complied. Her need and passion rose until he felt he could no longer contain it. She desperately clung to him, and he filled her again and again until he was spent.


She woke him a few hours later and made the same request again. He loved her again, until he was spent once more. Her whispered claims of love and desire tore at him. He never wanted to leave her, and he wasn't sure how he would get through these next weeks.


"Baby, I'm so sorry. I don't want to go." He whispered when he thought she had fallen back asleep.


"Don't be." She whispered back, startling him. "Just come back to me. Always."


"I will. I promise." He whispered back, his voice breaking against his words. "Always."



Saturday was spent at AJ's new house getting everything arranged. A part of Lexie thought is it was funny, considering she was going to try and convince Nick to move back east. Each one of them roamed through the empty house as AJ chatted with a designer. Nick snuck up on her, slipping his arms around her waist and resting his head on her shoulder. She closed her eyes and breathed him in. They remained quiet as the kids played, and they could hear AJ's voice in the distance.


"I made plans for tonight." He said softly.


"You did?" she smiled.


"I asked AJ to keep the kids at our house. We aren't going to be there."


"We aren't?" she giggled.


"Nope." He giggled, too.


"What are you planning, Nickolas Carter?" she asked.


"An evening alone. It'll be our only chance before I go." He said softly. She closed her eyes and held on tighter to his arms. He tightened his grip as well. "We still need to talk. About everything."


She nodded in agreement.


"Not right now." She whispered.


"No, not now." He agreed.


"Lexie, baby, you've got to help me." AJ moaned as he walked toward them with swatches. "What color for the couch? Oh, Rebecca Morgan, this is my daughter, Lexie, and her husband, Nick."


"Nice to meet you." Lexie said, shaking the young woman's hand.


"You, too."


"Nice to meet you." Nick said, shaking her hand next.


"I'm a big fan, Mr. Carter. . ." she gushed, grasping on to his hand.


"Uh..thank you." He blushed as she pumped his hand and then let go.


"Yeah, yeah, enough about him. My couch?" AJ sighed. The swatches flopped about from his hands.


"The walls?" Lexie asked.


"This green. . ." He began.


"Green? You're letting him paint them green?" Lexie laughed.


"Well, Mr. McLean. . ."


"Can't coordinate colors if his life depended on it. And it has a few times." Lexie smiled. She began to pluck swatches out of his hands. "Go with this one for the walls, that for the couch, and that for the floor rugs. If the walls are green in this house, I won't come over." She laid out the swatches in the designer's hands.


"That's nice." AJ hummed, looking at the spread.


"And, honey? Get him some texture." Lexie teased. "In the couch." She finished, tapping the fabric swatch.


"Okay, that's done. Let's do the bedrooms." AJ said marching off with his little designer in tow.


"You did that pretty well."


"I've studied texture and color for years. I should be good." Lexie laughed. "Green. He was going with green."


"Hey, all my walls are white." Nick shrugged.


"Can't go wrong with it. Goes with everything." She laughed. "Speaking of walls."


"Yes?" Nick asked.


"Have you thought much more about moving to Orlando?" she asked quietly.


"Oh yeah. I still think it's a great idea." He nodded.


"How about Tampa?"


"It's closer to the ocean." He chuckled with a rise of his eyebrows.


"Would you mind if I start looking at places? I mean, just looking."


"Sure, honey, no problem. I was thinking we could build something. . ."


"That's true. Or we might find one we actually like." She smiled.


"Okay. Start looking around, let me know if you find anything."


"Thanks, baby." She said, slipping her arms around his neck. He gave her a quick kiss and stopped to look down at her. "What?"


"Did you hear what AJ said?"


"About what?"


"'My daughter, Lexie, and her husband, Nick'."


"Yeah, so?"


"I can always count on these guys to just be 'Nick'." He smiled.


Lexie was laughing as CJ herded Alex back into the house from the deck.


"Where's Uncle AJ?" she asked.


"He's up in one of the bedrooms." Nick said.


"You wait here!" she told Alex as she went racing down the hall to the staircase.


Lexie, Nick, and Alex all met half way and sat down on the ledge into the sunken living room. He slipped between Nick's knees and began climbing up on his lap. Nick lifted him up and sat him down to straddle his legs. Alex reached up and pulled Nick's tail to the front and began running his fingers through it.


"Uncle Nick?"


"Yeah, Alex?"


"Why won't CJ marry me?" he asked. Nick and Lexie could barely contain their laughter.


"Well, guy, she's kinda young to get married. So are you." Nick smirked.


"Will you marry me, Lexie?" Alex asked, leaning over into her lap.


"No baby, I'm already married to Nick." She smiled, reaching over to touch his dark head. Alex was quiet as he threaded Nick's hair through his fingers. He seemed to be thinking about the answers.


"I love CJ. She's gonna marry me." He said quietly.


Nick laughed and pulled Alex up into a hug. He looked over at Lexie with tears of laughter in his eyes.


"I thought I'd have more time before I had to start beating them off." Nick laughed.


"He's AJ's son." Lexie smirked.


"Daddy! Lexie!" CJ yelled as she came running back toward them. "I saw Uncle AJ kissing that girl."


Nick lost all control and rolled on the floor laughing. Lexie laughed too, as the embarrassed couple came into view. Ms. Morgan and AJ said quick goodbyes, and she left discreetly out the back door.


AJ was six different colors of red as he came closer, and Lexie realized it was mostly lipstick. She and Nick were still laughing as Lexie got to her feet and went to AJ, running her thumb over his mouth to show him. He began to laugh himself and gave a cute little shrug as Nick continued to roll back and forth out of control.


"OH GOD!" Nick groaned, stumbling to get to his feet with Alex in his arms. He put Alex down and laughed his way toward them. "I gotta piss."


Lexie covered her mouth to keep from squealing, especially when Nick high-fived AJ on this way to the bathroom. Something in the sparkle of AJ's eye told her that maybe, just maybe, everything was going to be all right.



"Where, where, where?" Lexie pestered Nick as they drive home. "Where are you taking me?!"


"I know!" CJ chimed in.


"You little rat fink, and you didn't tell me?!" Lexie teased her.


"She doesn't know!" Nick laughed.


"We'll find out tomorrow when they get home." AJ said as they rode home.


"What are we gonna be doing?" CJ asked AJ.


"We could watch some movies. . ."


"That's boring, Uncle AJ!" she moaned.


Nick looked in his rearview mirror and watched AJ pull his daughter close and whisper something in her ear. Her eyes lit up, and they shared a knowing smile between them. He had to smile himself, loving and accepting the joy of life AJ gave them.


"Where?!" Lexie begged, pulling on his arm. He laughed.


"Just hold your horses. You'll find out soon enough. Cook should have our bags packed by the time we get there." He said, looking at this watch before pulling into the community.


Cook's husband was putting the bags into a red Audi convertible as they pulled into the garage. There was a quick exchange of hugs and thanks before Nick and Lexie turned around and left again in the convertible.


"Please tell me where we're going?" Lexie pleaded.


Nick kept that smug look on his face and refused to tell her. He drove out of the city and began a trek down the coast line. He pulled up to a huge old historical hotel on a bluff, overlooking the ocean. Valets came, opened the doors, and took care of their bags. Nick came around the car, took her hand, and they ran up the front marble stairs into the grand lobby of the hotel.


"Mr. Carter. How nice to see you." The clerk at the front desk said.


"Hi. Is the suite ready?"


"Of course. If you'll sign in, here are your keys." She smiled, sliding the papers across the marble counter, and he scrawled his familiar signature on it. He snatched up the keys and took her hand again, dragging her to the elevator.


The wrought iron decorated doors of the lift opened up and they stepped in together with a few other hotel guests. In the back of the elevator, Lexie couldn't help but see how the others noticed him. As always, he acted as though he was oblivious to it. He pulled her into his arms and buried his face into her hair.


"You're going to love this." He whispered.


One by one, each guest got off until they were the only ones left.. He kissed her deeply and passionately until the doors opened one last time to the door of the suite. They stepped forward, he slipped the card key into the lock, and it opened effortlessly.


Before them in complete, unabashed splendor and expense was the Presidential Suite. Lexie gaped at the crystal chandeliers, the rich wood furnishings, the plush carpet under her feet, and the scented air that flowed over her.


"Oh my god. . ." she gasped.


In all their years together, Nick had never done this. They had had some nice hotel suites, but nothing like this. He had never shown her his money like this, and she wasn't prepared for it. He closed the door and stood behind her, wrapping his arms around her.


"It's all for you."


"Nick, you shouldn't have. . ."


"Oh, yes, I should have. I should have much sooner." He smiled. He stepped around her and held out his hand. "Come with me."


Nick took her to spacious bedroom as the afternoon sun burned brightly though the huge glass doors to the deck.


"Come see the view." He said, leading her there.


"It's incredible." She sighed.


They could see for miles up the coastline. Below them, white waves gently crashed into the rocky shore of the bluff on which the hotel stood. Her appreciation of the view was cut short by the feel of his hands untying her ponytail and running his finger through her hair. She stood before the sea as he undressed her, kissed her, and began to make love to her.


They turned back to the bed, and she did the same for him. She untied his hair, pulled away his clothing, and slipped onto the bed beside him, tasting his body and setting him ablaze.


He rolled her to her back and slipped effortlessly between her legs. She clawed at his back as he stroked her, whispering and then shouting his love for her. She hung on to him andbegan to miss him already. His mouth took hers as he came, and she bucked up to hold him to her, to declare her own love for him. He quieted in her arms and after a long while, kissed her forehead.


"You're incredible." He smiled down at her.


"Me?" she chuckled.


"Yes, you, Lexie."


"My name sounds so beautiful when you say it." She smiled.


"It is as beautiful as the woman it belongs to." He smiled back. "We need to get up, though. The evening is not over."


"It's not? There's more?" she beamed.


"Where else would I take a well-loved woman, but out for a beautiful meal?" he teased.


"Out? We're going out? Did Cook pack any thing. . ." she began, sitting up.


"No. I bought you something."


"Nick, how many little short black dresses can one woman own?" she joked.


"No, no. This is different. Let's go shower, and I'll show you." He smiled, getting off the bed. They headed to the master bath together when Nick suddenly stopped and put a finger on her nose. "Oh!" he said suddenly. "I bought panties, too. You will wear them."


She put up her right hand. "I swear."



They showered together and played around before Lexie settled down to do her make up. Piece by piece, Nick gave Lexie her clothing. Matching panties and strapless bra, and navy silk thigh high stockings she pulled elegantly up each leg.


"Okay, what's next?" she said, clapping her hands.


"This, you're going to like." He smiled, going to the closet. She heard him unzip a garment bag and bring her the most incredible gown she had ever seen.


"Oh, my." She began, getting slowly to her feet. The navy blue dress was layered in sheer silk. He helped her step into the strapless gown that nicely emphasized her waist and ample breasts. The skirt flowed from the fitted bodice into a pool of silk down her legs.


"Nick, it's incredible." she said, her hands smoothed the silk down as she watched it pool at her feet.


"Wait!" he laughed. He ran back to the closet and brought her matching shoes, kneeling in front of her to have her step into them. He got up and brought back a hairbrush and brushed her dark hair down her back until he was happy with it. She turned back for him.


"Not quite." He sighed.


"What's missing?"


"These." He said, turning to go to his luggage. He unzipped the largest bag and pulled out a felt box. He carried it to her and opened its hinged lid to show her the contents. Inside were matching teardrop diamond earrings and a huge diamond pendant that was beyond her comprehension. "I got them in Hawaii."


Her hand reached out to touch them, then she looked up into his face.


"They're for you."


He chuckled at her stunned expression. Nick pulled the necklace out of the box and turned her so he could loop it over her head and fasten the latch. She lifted her hair, then lowered it again and peered into the mirror to see her reflection.


"Can you get the earrings yourself?" he said, handing her the box. "Do you like them?"


Lexie was completely speechless as she pulled the earrings from their box and put one, then the other in. She could only nod her head in reply. Words were beyond what she was feeling.


"I'm going to go finished getting dressed, not that anyone is going to notice me in my underwear once they see you." He joked.


Lexie stood at the mirror, and the next time she saw Nick, he was dressed to the hilt in a tuxedo. His hair was pulled back, his face freshly shaved and he was pulling on his tux jacket over the printed vest.


"These are for you, too." He smiled, handing her the gloves that went with the dress. "Kinda old fashioned, but I liked them. Baby, are you okay?"


"I'm. . . I'm just so stunned, Nick." She choked as she pulled each glove on. "We usually just go surfing or something with CJ or. . ."


"I know, I know. I'm not very romantic, but I wanted tonight to be something we'd always remember." He said, brushing her hair back from her shoulder. "I haven't done enough for you, and you've given me everything."


He gently cupped her cheek and lifted her face to him. "You are my everything. You are stronger and more beautiful than any other woman I have ever known. You deserve so much more, and I'm going to make sure you get it. Always. Come on, now, or we'll be late for dinner."

Chapter 16 by old_archive

Lexie's gloved hand slipped nicely into Nick's as he led her from the suite. They arrived downstairs in time for dinner in the grand ballroom, where dinner was served amidst a timeless elegance Lexie had never experienced.


He ordered the wine and proceeded to read from the menu.


"Anything look good to you?" he asked looking up. Her eyes were solely on him. "On the menu?"


She smiled and blushed prettily, lowering her eyes to the menu.


"The veal sounds nice." She sighed.


The waiter silently approached, and Nick ordered for both of them. They held hands across the table as they watched other couples dance.


"How did you ever find this place?" she asked him. He only smiled and shrugged.


Silently, he was thanking Karen, his fan club president, to the hilt. He prayed she would keep her word and never tell. She had chosen several gowns for Nick to pick from and gladly picked up all the accessories once he decided. He was grateful to all the women in his life, but none so much as the one across from him.


"Will we. . .?" she began, looking across at him. He turned his full attention toward her.


"Dance? Yes, would you like to right now?"


"Can we?" she asked softly.


"Of course." He smiled, taking her hand and helping her to her feet. He led her past several tables to swing her gently into his arms.


They easily found their rhythm to orchestra the music as they did with all of the music in their lives. She moved so close into his arms, he was sure they would melt into one.


It was just the one dance, then they returned to their table as the food arrived. The meat melted in Lexie's mouth, and the wine made her heady. She laughed gently, touched him often, and let her mind slip into this fantasy he had created. When the meal was complete, the plates were taken and he danced with her for several songs before they retreated once more to their table for dessert.


Nick wiped the last of his cheesecake from his lips and excused himself for a moment. Lexie watched him go, then turned to watch the couples dancing as she waited for his return. Her eyes scanned the door leaving the ballroom several times looking for him, and each time her eyes would go back to the couples on the dance floor. She wanted to dance the rest of the night away in his arms as though nothing else mattered.


"Mrs. Carter?" a man's voice interrupted her thoughts. She turned to him, and he asked again. "Mrs. Carter? Lexie Dorough-Carter?"


"Yes?" she smiled.


"Can I ask you some questions about the pending trial? Did you realize that the defendant, 28-year-old Samantha Kramer, is a mother herself who lost one child? How do you feel about that? What about the fact that if she goes to jail, you'll be responsible? Mrs. Carter, do you realize that when your husband went non-union that he put thousands of workers out of work, and their families went hungry?"


The man's face was a blur, followed by another as Nick shoved him away from Lexie.


"What the hell are you doing?" Nick demanded. "Get out of here! Where is security? Didn't I tell you to make sure this didn't happen?"


Several of the waiters, assisted by hotel security and a few other guests, removed the man and the dozen or so photographers with him. Nick pulled Lexie to her feet and hid her behind him. The photo everyone would see the next morning was of Nick, with Lexie hiding her face in his back, and the flash that bounced off of their wedding bands glaring back into the cameras.


Nick and Lexie raced from the ballroom, across the filled lobby, and into the elevator with other guests from dinner. Lexie collapsed into tears in Nick's arms, not caring who could see her. He held her close in the shelter of his arms, soothing her the best he could. He took her inside the suite, closing the door firmly behind them.


Before him stood his bejeweled and silk-wrapped beautiful young wife, who was crying so hard she couldn't even speak. How could this happen? How? She slipped from his arms and went into the bathroom to remove her jewels. He could still hear her sniffle.


"I'm sorry." He said. It was all he could think to say as he leaned against the doorjamb into the bathroom.


"It's not your fault." She said, running warm water. She cupped the water in her hands and rinsed her face. She buried her face into the thick hotel towels, dried her skin and looked at him from the mirror.


"I wanted tonight to be so special." He sighed heavily, lowering his face.


She went to him and lifted his chin. "Can I have one more dance in my dress?"


The hotel piped music from the ballroom into each suite, and Nick turned it up for her. She slipped quietly into his arms and rested her head on his shoulder. They remained that way for three more songs before he felt a tug on the front of his vest and the buttons came undone under her gentle touch.


"I'm not that kind of a guy, you know." He teased quietly. She arched a fine eyebrow at him.


"You're not? Hmmm, that'll definitely put a cramp into the rest of my plans." She smirked.


"I can't just let anyone soil my reputation." He grinned as she gently tugged him toward the bedroom.


"Wouldn't you let me?"


"I don't know." He mused.


"What if I said I'd respect you in the morning?"


"I still don't know." He said, playing hard to get.


"What if I get you drunk first?" she asked, stepping into the bedroom, the moonlight from the night washing over her.


"I think I'm already drunk." He sighed, leaning in the doorway.


"What if I promise to leave my shoes on?" she teased him from across the room.


"Damn." He muttered.


"These stockings are real silk." She smiled, lifting her skirt to show him.


"Where'd you get those?"


"Promise not to tell? My husband bought them for me." She giggled, reaching to unzip her dress.


"Your husband, huh? Jealous type?"


"Very much so." She said. Nick could hear the zipper come down in the dimness.


"Where is your husband?"


"He's on a business trip." She said, lowering the dress and stepping from it. She laid it easily on a chair by the foot of the bed.


"What do you want with me?" he asked, watching her crawl to the middle of the king-sized bed.


"I want you to come here." She said softly.


"I don't know, Mrs. Carter. I don't think this is right." He said, coming closer to the bed.


"Shhh, I won't tell him if you won't." she said huskily as he came closer. She turned on all fours and crawled back to him, rising up on her knees to loosen his tie and unbutton his shirt.


"You're very bad, Mrs. Carter."


"That's how Mr. Carter likes it." She said, looking up into Nick's eyes. She reached up and touched his face. "I love you, Nick."


"I love you, too, baby." He said, leaning in to kiss her.



Basking in the glow of their lovemaking, they snuggled in bed holding each other until Lexie decided to get up and raid the bar. The remnants of their late-night snacking were scattered around them on the bed. She stuffed one more truffle in his mouth and licked her own fingers.


"You really been thinking about Orlando?" he asked around his mouthful.


"Well, Tampa really. I can't live without some kind of water around." She said, her lips smacking from the rich chocolate.


"I think it'll be good." He nodded, talking around the confection melting in his mouth. "I used to own a couple houses out there."


"Can I tell you a secret?" she giggled.


"Sure." He giggled with her.


"I had Brian look for your old house, the first one you owned."


"Really? Is it for sale?"


"Nope. Fell into the ocean a couple years ago." She sighed. "I'm sorry."


"Me, too. Had some good times there." He sighed, too. "All the better to get another place now."


"Okay. I've got a couple agents looking."


"A couple, huh? When are you planning on moving?"


"Me? I thought summer would be good. I mean, CJ will be out of school."


"What about your school?"


"I can get my Master's anywhere." She shrugged.


"Are you going to go back to school?" he asked, watching her suddenly stop what she was doing and start thinking of her answer.


"No." she said, looking over at him. "I've been thinking if I like what I do for Gina, I might try to do it on my own."


"Estate appraising?"


"Yeah, but start my own auction house. G would come work for me eventually." She said.


"Really? I had no idea you were thinking about that." He said, surprised.


"Well, it just popped in there about two weeks ago. I like working on exhibits, too. I'm not dead sure." She shrugged. "Nick?"


"Yeah?" he asked. She pushed aside the wrappers and lay down on her stomach across from him.


"We've got to talk about Christine and CJ." She said gently.


"I know." He sighed, looking away.


"Have you been thinking?"


"Yes. I can't. . .I can't seem to resolve it."


"What's the problem?"


"I don't know." He shrugged.


"You won't lose CJ. I mean, you know that now." She said softly. "Nick, do you still want to know why she left?"


He was silent for the longest time, and then he rolled over to his back.


"I know I shouldn't care, but yes, I do want to know." He finally admitted. "I did everything I could to make her happy."


"Did you love her?"


"I thought I did. I didn't know what it meant until you, though." He said, sitting up on one elbow. "I thought I had done what was right. I mean, I didn't abandon her. I made sure she was comfortable. . ."


"Maybe she just went looking for something more?" Lexie offered.


"Why didn't she take CJ? I can understand her leaving me, but why CJ?" Nick asked, but Lexie could only shrug.


"Are you ready for CJ to meet Christine?"


"No." he sighed, lying on his back. "I'm sorry, Lexie, but I'm not ready yet."


"Yet? Is there a chance?"


Nick held his breath and then let it out loudly.


"Yeah, there's a chance." He quietly admitted.


"She doesn't have a lot of time left."


"I just need a little more, Lex, I can't do this right now."


"Okay." She agreed. "Just keep talking to me?"


"I will. I promise."


"Good." She agreed with a smile, cocking her head to look at him. He turned his head to face her.


"I talked to Aaron about the trial." He said. "He and Jill are both planning to be there for you. We're going to have to tell them what happened tonight."


"Jill isn't involved with the case. I'll call the prosecutor on Monday. I have his card around somewhere." She shrugged.


"You've been calm ever since we heard about it, and you got called."


"What's there to be worried about? Nick, I don't remember much. I have flashes of going over, and I know she was the one who pushed me." Lexie shrugged. "I barely remember the days that followed. I remember you singing to me in the hospital when Dad showed up. It's all one big blur. They have the fall on videotape and tons of other witnesses. Jill said they just want to get the 'victim's point of view', that's all."


"I can be there."


"No. I can handle this. Besides, Jillie and Aaron will be there." She smiled, leaning over to kiss his sweetened lips. "I doubt my horrible record company owning father would let you go."


"Howie? He's not horrible."


"Aw, you've never worked for him." She chuckled. "He's a slave driver."


"Howie? Sweet lovable, Howard? Little twerp I used to pick on him all the time." Nick laughed.


"That was before he held your career in his hands." She laughed with him.


"Naw, it's Kevin who's gonna bust my chops." Nick sighed, running a sticky hand over his head.


"Kevin? He's the sweetest guy." Lexie laughed at him. "I think you have them seriously confused."


"Me? I have known these guys since I was 13 years old. I know which is which." Nick laughed.


"OH!" she gasped suddenly.


"What?" he said, suddenly concerned.


"Know what I saw in the bar?" she teased, crawling out of bed.


"What?!" he smiled.


"Ice cream." She said, heading out of the bedroom.


"Really? Ice cream?"


"Not just any ice cream, Chocolate Chip Mint." She called out.


"Gee, I wonder how that got in there." He called back out at her.


"Nick Carter, did you do that for me, too?" she said, bringing the pint in with some spoons.


"I cannot tell a lie." He shrugged, sitting up.


They sat cross-legged on the bed, directly across from each other, and began to dig into the frozen pint of ice cream.


"You're gonna make me fat." He moaned as they ate.


"You're NOT fat! God, will you stop already?!" she groaned back.


"Look at this!" he complained, grabbing a small barely visible roll around his waist.


"Give me a break!" she complained back at him.


"I'm gonna be HUGE!" he said, throwing his arms open. The ice cream on his spoon slid off and hit the satin wallpaper behind the headboard of the bed.


"You're gonna owe them to clean that." She said, looking over at what he done.


He reached up and smeared the mess into the wall with his hand. She laughed as he showed her his hand and she pulled it to her and began to lick his fingers. A seductive moan rumbled through him. Amidst the wrappers, ice cream container, and spoons, he laid her out underneath him and loved her.

Chapter 17 by old_archive

Nick woke slowly, rolling over and reaching for Lexie. He cracked his eyes against the morning sun to find her gone. He opened his eyes fully and sat up, wiping the sleep from them. The silk sheets slipped down his chest to his waist as he turned toward the other side of the room and spied her.


She was wrapped in the hotel’s plush robe, her legs peeking out at him and her dark hair falling nearly to the floor as she lay sleeping on the couch. No doubt she had woken at some time and moved there to watch him sleep. She had taken to doing that since they first heard of Christine coming back.


Quietly, he got out of bed and sat on the floor in front of her. He let the silky strands of her hair run through his fingers until he heard her raspy, "Morning."


"Morning, sweetheart." He smiled, leaning over to kiss the tip of her nose and listening to her giggle. "Will you marry me?" he asked.


"I already have." She chuckled, stretching to wake up.


"Oh, yeah. I just thought that was a dream." He smiled as she sat up.


"No, it was real. Last night, now that was a dream." She smiled down at him.


"You enjoyed yourself?" he asked.


"Immensely." She said.


"That’s some mighty high praise." He smirked, getting to his feet.


"I like to reward good behavior." She said, getting up and moving past him toward the bathroom. His laughter followed her into the shower.



Sabrina stretched and listened to each of the bones in her hands crack. They were still sore from all the work she had done last night. She threw back the covers, dislodging the cat from its spot and headed about her morning routine.


She went to the bathroom; pulled on a robe; headed to the kitchen; made toast, fruit, and tea; and headed out onto her deck, which was six stories above the city. She read the paper, aired out her toes in the morning sun, and then reached for the phone when it rang.


"Malta." She heard Jill say. "We’ve settled on going to Malta for our vacation."


"Italy is nice." She replied.


"Are you set for those interviews?"


"I’m flying out this afternoon to catch the woman in Phoenix and then that guy in St. Paul."


"You’re an angel for doing this. With both me and Tina gone, I’m worried you’ll have too much work."


"It’s no big deal. You’ll be back in a month, and she’ll be back after she’s beheaded all of their leaders, and it’ll be just fine." Sabrina chuckled.


"You’re next, I promise." Jill said.


"Yeah, I know." Sabrina sighed. It didn’t even matter really; she didn’t have much of a life to be torn from. Hell, her life was so boring that the orange tabby at her feet didn’t even have a name. He was and always would be 'the cat'.



The drive home was relaxed and delicious. They had packed and then had breakfast downstairs before heading out. She had her hair tied back in a scarf and his was braided down for the convertible ride home. They pulled up to the house right on time for lunch, which AJ had made and the kids were eating outside.


"Daddy! Lexie!" CJ said excitedly, running into the house once she saw them, hugging them both. "Where did you guys go? Was it romantic? Was it pretty? Did you take pictures?"


"Wait, wait, wait!" Nick laughed.


Lexie quickly took her hand and headed towards the bedroom, whispering in CJ’s ear. The last thing Nick heard was, "Really? Can I see them?"


"So, how’d it go?" AJ smiled, holding a peanut butter and jelly smeared Alex.


"Great. Well, not perfect, but it went well." Nick said, pinching Alex’s sticky nose.


"I heard what happened." AJ said.


"Yeah, come with me. I got to get the bags." Nick said, headed back out the front door.


"Are you coming back for the trial?" AJ asked as they climbed into the car with Alex and pulled into the garage. Nick turned off the car and turned in his seat to face AJ and Alex.


"I don’t know. I want to, but she and Aaron are trying to talk me out of it. Jill says it’s just some minor questioning, but what happened last night proves to me the issue isn’t minor." Nick sighed.


"I can talk to Howie for you."


"Naw, I can do that. We’ll see, I guess."


"Let’s go inside then." AJ smiled.


They got out of the car, and each took a couple bags. Nick let Alex carry a paper bag with a pastry from breakfast, which he began to eat on the way up the stairs. Once in their bedroom, Lexie showed them Nick’s presents and wrapped the gown to send out to be cleaned. AJ let out a low whistle when he saw the jewels, and that had satisfied Nick to no end.


Everyone headed downstairs, picking up the pastry Alex left on the carpet, and went out to the veranda for lunch. Lexie warmed up some leftovers for the grown ups. They were done eating and watching the kids play when the conversation about AJ’s new house began.


"So, how’s the decorating going?" Lexie asked, having spied all of the swatches in the kitchen.


"You mean how is the decorator going?" Nick chuckled.


"They are both quite fine, thank you very much." AJ cackled at him.


"Oh, you know, maybe we should tell him." Nick said suddenly, laying a hand on Lexie’s. "About the house and. . ."


"Oh, maybe we should." She said.


"What?"


"Okay, don’t be mad." Lexie warned.


"What?" AJ insisted.


"We’re going to be moving back to Orlando." Nick said.


"Or Tampa." Lexie added.


"What?! I just bought a house here." He groaned.


"I know, I know, and I hadn’t even realized that until Lexie started talking about decorating. . ." Nick began.


"You can still keep it, AJ." Lexie said.


"I only got it to be closer to you." He said gently.


"We’re not selling this place." Lexie said.


"We’re not?" Nick asked.


"No. We’re not." She said firmly. "Don’t be mad, AJ."


"I could never be mad at you." He sighed, rising to kiss her temple. "He’s a whole other story." He added, eyeing Nick. Nick spared him a simple, but forgiving, grimace.



Nick and Lexie told AJ that only Brian knew and not to say anything quite yet, but they were planning to be in Florida for the summer. They spent the rest of the afternoon with the children before their plane left at seven that evening. Lexie tried not to cling, but at small moments, her resolve would falter and her grip on his hand would tighten. She would stay too close to him or touch him for no apparent reason, other than to feel him under her touch. Cook had packed before she left for the weekend, so there was little they could do at this point except say goodbye.


The last chore for the day was to get CJ ready for school the next day. Nick spent the time to sit with her in her room and go over her homework and lay out her uniform.


"When are you going to be back?" she asked him as he sat next to her at her desk.


"I’ll be back for the weekend in a month."


"How long will you be staying in Orlando?"


"For a while. It’s hard to say for sure." He smiled, reaching out to touch her silky cheek.


"Are we going to visit you?"


"Yes, but we haven’t worked out all those details yet."


"How come I can’t go with you? I used to always go with you." She sighed.


"Well, Lexie and I decided that it was best to keep you in school this year."


"Before Lexie I used to go everywhere with you."


"No, because of Lexie, I can still do this. I was going to quit until you were older."


"You were?"


"You need to stay in school, have a normal life." He said. "It’s just one album, you know how it is."


"What about the tour? Are you going to tour?"


"I might, probably." He sighed.


"Are we going to go with you then?"


"I don’t know. You might not want to." He smiled. "You might just want to be with your friends instead of hanging out with your old dad."


"I don’t think so. I miss going on tour, this is boring sometimes." She said. "I have an idea, why don’t we move to Orlando? I mean, if Grandpa is doing your record, shouldn’t we be there? We’d be closer to him and Poppy and Alex and John and Tyler and Baby Caroline and Marta and Aria and Great Grandma Dorough and. . ."


"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" Nick laughed. "What about Aunt Jill and Uncle Aaron, Jane, and your other Grandmother here?"


"They can come visit us." CJ shrugged.


"What about all your friends in school?" he asked.


"I can make new ones. I’ve done that all my life." She smiled. "Can we move to Orlando, can we?"


"Actually." He smiled with a sigh. "Lexie and I talked about that."


"Really?!" she said excitedly.


"Maybe you can help her look for a house? Maybe in Tampa?" he asked carefully.


"That’s great! I’d love to! I can’t wait to tell Jane!" CJ squealed with delight.


"Wait, wait, wait!" Nick called as she climbed off her chair and headed for the door.


"What, Dad?!" she said dramatically.


"I haven’t told them yet!"


"Don’t worry! I will!" She laughed at him.


"No, no, no!" he laughed, racing to scoop her up in his arms. "Let me tell them, okay?"


"When?" she asked as he set her down on her feet.


"Not now, but later, okay?" he smiled gently. "I don’t want anyone to panic or get hurt feelings, okay?"


"Okay." She sighed.


"I love you, baby." He grinned.


"I love you, too, Dad!" She smiled, throwing her arms around his neck.



The car pulled up promptly at 6 p.m. and waited for Nick and AJ. The driver loaded the car as Lexie followed him out with CJ. Nick came from the garage to meet her on the front step. CJ reached up to him, and he hoisted her into his arms, settling her on his hip.


"Checking on your babies?" Lexie teased him.


"Yeah, they are all tucked in." He chuckled, giving her a quick kiss. "Where is the terrible twosome?"


"Alex is taking his last potty break before we go." CJ smiled.


"How about you?" Nick asked her.


"I went." She said, with a roll of her eyes. "You don’t have to ask me that all the time, Dad. I’m not a baby."


"I know, that’s part of the problem." He said, bringing her closer so he could kiss her temple.


"They’re kissing." They suddenly heard Alex say. Nick laughed, and so did Lexie.


"When you find a pretty girl, you’ll kiss her, too." Nick said, tapping his little nose.


"I’m gonna kiss CJ." Alex said plainly.


"No you’re not!" CJ groaned.


"Hey, keep your son away from my daughter." Nick joked as Alex and AJ got in the limo.


"They all eventually succumb to the McLean charm, sooner or later." AJ joked as Nick, CJ, and Lexie followed him into the car.


"Not my daughter." Nick insisted.


"I think it’s fair. You got mine." AJ smirked with a wink, eliciting a loud groan from Lexie.



The ride to the airport was filled with bad jokes and puns, pushing away the enviable separation of all of them. It was getting harder by the minute as the airport got closer. Security let them out onto the tarmac, and they pulled up right next to AJ’s private plane.


AJ and Alex both kissed Lexie goodbye, and CJ went with them inside the plane, leaving Nick and her a few last moments together. They stood out in the bright L.A. sun, Nick taking Lexie’s face in his hands and kissing her one last time.


"I’m going to miss you." He whispered below the airport noise.


"I’ll miss you." She said, willing herself not to cry, but it was no use when he began.


"Stop it, or we’ll be a mess." She joked.


"I know, I know, but I can’t help myself." He sighed, pulling her into his arms.


"I love you."


"I love you." She whispered in his ear and he finally let her go.


"Mr. Carter?" They heard from the pilot. "I’m sorry, but we’ve just gotten clearance. We need to leave."


"Thank you, I’ll be right there." He nodded. Lexie reached down and handed him his carry on, keeping it between them.


"You’d better go." She choked.


"I’d better." He agreed, finally releasing her hand and turning to go. Nick helped CJ out of the plane, hugged and kissed her, then she ran to stand by Lexie. They waved as he boarded and remained there as they closed up the plane. Lexie blew a kiss to Alex and then climbed into the limo to get a distance away from the plane.


AJ watched as Nick sat heavily in the seat across from him. He and Alex were buckled in, and they waited for Nick to do the same. He did, smiling as Alex began to color in a book, then twisting back to watch Lexie and CJ pull away in the limo. His eyes followed it as they taxied out to the runway.


Nick’s eyes never left the field until they were off the ground, and then he buried his face in his hand, pretending to be rubbing his eyes. AJ knew Nick was covering what he was feeling. Once airborne, AJ released his belt and got to his feet. Alex was required to remain buckled and he knew that, but he was coloring to his heart’s content.


"I know it’s early, but you want a drink?" AJ asked.


"Yeah." Nick answered, finally looking up at him. Nick turned his attention to Alex as AJ went to the bar. "Hey, little man. Whatcha’ got there?"


"I’m coloring." Alex said. "See?" He flipped the book up and showed Nick.


"That’s pretty good." Nick smiled, reaching for the glass that AJ offered. AJ sat next to Alex with a glass of his own and ruffled his hair. A glass Nick knew had no alcohol.


"He’s a regular Picasso." AJ smiled. "What did you bring for the trip?"


"Depends what book Cook has read recently." Nick smiled, pulling his carry on close to him. "That’s what she usually packs."


Nick unzipped the bag and reached in absently, not really looking. His fingers wrapped around something soft and fuzzy and he pulled it out instantly. It was Fairy Bunny, and he burst out laughing.


"She sent you with a rabbit?" AJ chuckled. "Some housekeeper you got."


"Naw, Lexie did this." Nick chuckled, wiping the sudden surprised tears from his eyes.


"Got anything else in there?" AJ asked.


"Yeah, the girls gave me these pictures for my birthday." He said, pulling the frames out to show him.


"These are great." AJ said, going through them.


"Yeah. I had them commissioned last year, and they had them framed so I could take them with me." Nick smiled.


"CJ really looks like you." AJ smiled. "It’s really amazing how all you Carter kids look so much alike. I could be looking at BJ."


"Yeah, I know."


"Even Aaron’s kid has that look." AJ said with a nod, handing back the framed photos.


Nick shuffled a few things in and out of the bag, trying to get everything resituated. A white linen envelope fell out and floated down to the plane’s floor. AJ got up and handed it to him, watching Nick’s brow furrow. Nick put everything else aside and opened it up to read Lexie’s neatly penned words.


Dearest Nick,


You’ll be on your way when you find this, but I wanted there to be something for you to find after we had parted. Fairy Bunny would not be happy here without you. I didn’t write the following poem, it was in a book I found in an estate a few years ago. It says everything I could have hoped.


I’ll love you always. Near or far. Not distance, not time.


Lexie


I close my eyes
and I can feel your arms holding me
the sound of your laughter filling the room
the warmth of your breath rippling across my skin.

I can feel your heart beating...a slow and steady rhythm.

The shrillness of grinding metal brings me back from a memory,
and I stare at cold walls and lonely rooms.

My heart is empty...my mind full, and I race along my memories
faster than the speed of light.

Before I can stop, I slam into a brick wall of broken dreams,
and I have to go on alone.

Just as dawn breaks...in that perfect moment between dreams and
reality...I feel you lying next to me.

Then the sun fills the room and you are gone.

Everyday it gets a little harder to picture your face
or remember your voice.

Sometimes, the pictures get a little fuzzy,
and it takes a moment longer to remember everything we’ve done.

I wonder if I’ll ever be able to see a rainbow or touch a flower
or gaze at a full moon and not turn to find you
and tell you about the beauty I’ve discovered.

When will the anxious moments stop haunting me--
the moments when I realize you are never coming back?

And when will the ache from not holding you stop torturing my heart?Poem © Gabrielle Bessey, reproduced with permission of author
Chapter 18 by old_archive

That first night was the hardest for Lexie. This was going to be their first real separation, and she knew there were plenty more to come, especially after he went on tour. He called her late that evening, saying that they had arrived safely, and that he was settled at AJ's house for the night. They wished each other goodnight and sweet dreams, hanging on every word and sound before they ended the call.


The morning was far more forgiving. It was a tight squeeze to get CJ up, dressed, and fed before school, and then get herself together to start work at the auction house on time. Cook sent them out the door with a laugh and a wave as Lexie grabbed the first set of keys, one of Nick's Porsches.


She drove CJ to school and dropped her off with a kiss, called Nick on the way to the auction house, and pulled in to the parking lot with five minutes to spare. In jeans and a tee shirt, she bounded up the stairs to the warehouse and found Gina’s small office.


Gina got her settled and introduced her as the historian/appraiser working on the Farmer estate to the crew that would be working for her. They wasted no time showing her the catalogue and throwing her into the work.


The work made the time away from home bearable. It kept her mind off of missing Nick, although Howie and AJ has less luck with Nick lamenting about missing Lexie. AJ was convinced he would kill Nick if he had to listen to him talk about missing Lexie and CJ one more time after a full week of whining. Sympathetic to Nick's plight, Howie offered to let him go home for the trial a couple of days early. Howie was surprised when Nick declined, saying that he and Lexie had talked and she wanted him to stay. Aaron had promised to set up security for Lexie and CJ, with Jill and him accompanying her to the trial.


So, three weeks into the separation, everyone fell into comfortable routines of emails and phone calls and work and school. Lexie relaxed around her co-workers, and they were relaxing around "Mrs. Nick Carter" as well. They took Gina's lead and treated her with respect as an individual, which she gratefully accepted.


At lunch one day, a tabloid fell across the table in front of Lexie as her crew lead walked past on her way to the soda machine.


"Here's another one for our dart board. Girl, I don't know how you handle that shit." Norma chuckled. Lexie looked from her lunch to stare at the headline.


Nick Carter Away From the Wife with 20-Year-Old Blonde

Norma leaned over her as Lexie looked over the pictures of Nick with a young blonde hanging over him as they flipped through bins at a record store.


"Who's that?" Norma asked.


"That's Aria." Lexie said around the last mouthful of her sandwich.


"Your cousin again?"


"Yeah." She said, switching to eat a spoonful of yogurt. "They both like vintage record stores. I can't keep them out of them. It's kinda sad, actually."


"She sure is hanging on him."


"The Doroughs are touchy feely. The whole lot of them. See that guy? He's my cousin, Marshall. He works at the store and is Nick's other enabler for his record addiction." Lexie said, pointing a young man out.


"Dang, he's hanging on him too."


"Yup, a Dorough thing."


"I still don't know how you handle it. If someone was saying this shit about my husband, I'd be insane." The older woman sighed.


"I've gotten tons of this kinda crap since I was a kid. Besides, I know my husband loves me." Lexie smiled, getting to her feet. "I mean, think about it, my father is one Backstreet Boy, I was raised by another Backstreet Boy, and then I married one. God, you can't make that kind of shit up!"


The woman cracked up laughing, "No, I guess you can't."


"It comes with the territory." She said, tossing the remains of her brown bag lunch away.


"So do those nice cars, huh?"


"Those testosterone machines? Christ, I'd kill for a nice Honda sometimes!" Lexie laughed.


"Girl, you are so real." Norma said, crossing her arms across her chest.


"Well, my folks would be happy to hear that. They put a lot of time and energy into that one aspect of my life. Nick just about passed out when he saw me do my own laundry and cook. Like he had never seen someone who wasn't paid do those things." Lexie joked.


"It's a good thing, because that life sounds like it can be nuts."


"It is nuts. I've got his daughter cleaning up after herself now too."


"Well, good for you." She said, walking with Lexie back down into the warehouse.



The next day, Lexie went to Gina and told her what date she needed off for the trial, then went and told her crew about the change in the schedule.


"You really got to go?" Norma asked after the rest of the crew went about their tasks. She and Norma had become friends, with the older woman taking to Lexie like a mother figure.


"Yeah, I do. I just have to say that she's the one who pushed me." Lexie sighed, closing the schedule folder. I hope.


"That's terrible, baby. Well, we'll handle everything while you're gone."


"It'll just be one day." Lexie said distractedly.


"That husband of yours coming back?"


"Nick? Naw, he needs to keep his project moving. My sister and brother-in-law will be there. It really isn't a big deal." Lexie smiled.


"You know, I haven't met him, but I can already tell you're too good for him." Norma chuckled.


"Funny, my dad says the same thing." Lexie laughed with her.



February 27


Lexie sat in the courtroom, listening impassively to the testimonies before hers. The doctors talked about her injuries, what the fall had done to her and the baby, and then eventually the county coroner told them the cause of death of the baby.


Suffocation.


As the placenta began to tear away from the uterus, the baby got less and less blood, less and less oxygen causing her death and eventual miscarriage. Trauma caused from the fall had bruised her brain and body beyond the medical skill of the world-renowned UCLA Medical Center.


No one had been more astonished than Nick when Lexie remembered everything from that day. She innocently asked him how his injuries were after he had tripped on the hose and fallen. He quizzed her on what she knew and then told Jill, who reported it to the State Attorney's office during the forming of the case.


"The prosecution calls, Mrs. Alexandria Carter." The Bailiff announced. With a reassuring squeeze of her hand from Jill, she rose and approached the witness seat. She stood, swore to tell the truth, and sat down.


"Please state your full legal name and occupation."


"Alexandria Janelle Dorough-Carter. I'm an appraiser with Westin House Auctions." She said clearly.


The state prosecutor stood and offered her a smile, which she returned.


"Mrs. Carter, do you remember the events on May 9, 2024?"


"Yes."


"Do you remember being pushed from the stairs and. . ." he began.


"Objection. The prosecution is assuming Mrs. Carter was pushed." The defense attorney rose to his feet.


"Sustained. Restate the question, Mr. Johnson." The judge said.


"Do you remember falling and being injured that day?"


"Yes."


"We've already had the doctors tell the court what your injuries were, but I'd like to ask you, Mrs. Carter." He began. "How far into the pregnancy were you?"


"Five months."


"So, you were visibly pregnant."


"Yes."


"Mrs. Carter, do you recognize the defendant in this trial?"


"Yes."


"How do you know the defendant?"


She looked at the prosecutor, and he nodded her to answer.


"She was the one who pushed me over the temporary rail at the courthouse."


"No further questions, your Honor." Mr. Johnson said, returning to his seat.


The defense attorney got up and slowly headed for her.


"Mrs. Carter, do you know the name of the defendant?"


"Excuse me?"


"Do you know her name?"


"No." Lexie confessed. She hadn't been paying attention to the details of the trial anyway. Sure it had been screamed at her that night at the hotel with Nick, but she hadn't wanted to remember anything except her time with him.


"Why not, Mrs. Carter?"


"I. . ."


"Why not, Mrs. Carter?" he insisted.


"Objection, your honor, badgering the witness." Mr. Johnson said, getting to his feet.


"Sustained. Move on, Mr. Wells."


"Very well. Mrs. Carter, is it true that you have never visited the grave of your lost baby?"


Lexie's blood began to run cold. Where is he going? What does he want? What is his point?


"Objection, your Honor. Irrelevant."


"Your point, Mr. Wells?"


"I want to clarify Mrs. Carter's state of mind during the time after the incident, that's all, your honor."


"Very well."


"Mrs. Carter, you fell nearly 15 feet onto construction materials. You were unconscious at the time and remained so for quite a while afterwards, as stated by your own doctors. How can you remember the events of that day?"


"I don't know, but I do."


"Really? What do you remember?"


"I was walking down the stairs with Nick, and she was right in front of us the entire time. When Nick tripped, he stumbled and fell. I waited for him to get up, but he told me to go on with the bodyguards."


"Did your husband, former Backstreet Boy, Nick Carter, push you?"


"No, our grip was broken, and then the crowd moved forward toward him, pushing me back toward the rail. She was the last one I saw as they moved forward. She grabbed my arm, pushed me back, and I landed against the rail."


"You know, that sounds like a description of what was on the video tape. How many times have you seen the video tape?"


"I haven't."


"You haven't what, Mrs. Carter?"


"I haven't seen the video tape."


"Nothing? Any news coverage?"


"I don't watch much TV." Lexie shrugged.


"So, you're not following this trial at all?"


"No, what I've heard, I've heard from my lawyer."


"Why did you feel you need a lawyer, Mrs. Carter?"


"She's my sister-in-law." Lexie stuttered.


"Oh, yes, 'Carter, Carlson and Ryans'." Mr. Wells muttered. "So, back to the original question. Mrs. Carter, have you ever visited your baby's grave?"


"No."


"Why not?"


"I didn't want to."


"You don't want to see where your baby is?"


"No, I. . .I let Nick take care of all of that." She stammered.


"Mrs. Carter, where is Mr. Carter today?"


"Orlando."


"What is he doing there?"


"Recording."


"He's not here to be with you?"


"No, I told him not to come." Lexie said, trying to sound stronger.


"Mrs. Carter, is it safe to say that the outcome of this trial isn't that important to you or your husband?"


"Objection! Mr. and Mrs. Carter's feelings on the outcome of this trial are irrelevant."


"Yes, they are! This is a trial for an alleged assault that resulted in the death of their unborn child! I think the parents' feelings have some bearing on it!"


By now, Lexie could feel her calm exterior beginning to crumble. There was a tremor in her body, and she was beginning to have a tough time concentrating because of the growing fear inside of her. She reached out and grabbed the front of the witness box, dropping her head. The jury watched her slowly begin to shake her head 'no'.


"Mrs. Carter! Doesn't it matter to you that my client has children too! Children who will be without their mother if she is convicted!" Mr. Wells demanded.


"Objection, Your Honor!"


"Isn't it true, Mrs. Carter, that not only do you not know the name of my client, you know absolutely nothing about this trial because you don't care about what happens?" Mr. Wells demanded.


"Your Honor! He is badgering the witness!"


"No! No! It's not true, but my baby is dead, and there's nothing you or Mr. Johnson can do to bring her back!" Lexie suddenly screamed as she jumped to her feet. "Nick and I have suffered enough at the hands of these people, and we're just trying to get on with our lives!"


There wasn't another sound in the courtroom except the sound of Lexie's shrill voice echoing against the polished wood of the room's paneling. The prosecutor was at her side, trying to calm her down as she began to sob. She sat back down, not allowed to leave until the judge dismissed her. She couldn't see Jill, struggling to control herself as Aaron held her down. Mr. Johnson handed her some tissues, some water, and the entire court waited for her to compose herself.


"Mrs. Carter, we need to continue." The judge said gently. Lexie nodded her consent.


"Mrs. Carter, I am sorry for your loss." Mr. Wells began, but Lexie's answer was a clear snort. "Mrs. Carter, can you be sure that my client is the one?"


"Yes." Lexie said clearly, with a slight tremble still in her voice. She remembered. She remembered more than she had even told Nick. Now, she had no choice to tell them what she did know.


"I can't help but remember every detail of the day DJ died. Earlier that morning, Nick and I had argued about when to put the wallpaper up so we'd have it done on time. I wanted to wait another month because I wasn't sure if I liked the one we picked out, but he wanted it up that next week. Then we left for the courthouse." Lexie said.


"I woke up after she was born, but I didn't know she was gone until I looked down. My father tried to tell me, but I didn't want to listen to him. They brought the doctor in, but I got so upset, and all I wanted was to see Nick. He was in the nursery with his brother saying goodbye to her. . .he sang her lullabies. Did you know that?"


She lifted her dark eyes to the defense attorney and continued. "He hadn't sung since the tour ended and all the injunctions against him started. That had been the first time. He sang to me a few more times in the hospital, but not again until after we were married. I don't know why, he just stopped."


"Nothing that happens in the courtroom is ever going to give my family back what we've lost. It's never going to give me back my baby. It isn't going to give Nick's daughter back her sense of security or fairness. It isn't going to give me back the man I fell in love with before all of this happened. All we're trying to do, Mr. Wells, is get on with our lives the best we know how, and right now that means Nick needs to stay in Orlando and try to find the voice that comes from his heart and makes him sing, CJ needs to believe her daddy can protect her, and that as her parents, we aren't going to let anything ever happen to her again."


Lexie sat back in the witness chair, looking defeated and tired, but she was only gathering the courage for her own confession. She unknotted the tissue in her hand and then looked up at the defense attorney.


"And I've got to someday believe I can carry a baby to term so we can complete our love and happiness without fear of someone feeling they have the right to take it all away from us just because he's a former Backstreet Boy or that I'm the daughter of a Backstreet Boy."


The courtroom was stunned into silence. There was no doubt in Lexie's voice that she remembered what she remembered correctly. Mr. Wells made some more noise about not being able to prove what she remembered because of her injuries. Lexie's testimony had been so moving, that the state didn't need to prove it. It was obvious the jury took her at her word. Her outburst had humanized what she and Nick had been through; pulling them down from superstar status to human beings hurt by the loss of their child.


Lexie left the stand after she was dismissed and didn't wait for anyone. Aaron's security was able to catch up with her, but Jill and Aaron were left behind. They got her into the rented car, where the door closed on the crowd, and slowly pulled away. The cell phone in her pocket began to vibrate, but she ignored it. Instead, she ordered the driver to take her home.


He pulled up in front of the house, where she got out and went straight to the master bedroom. She shut the door with a solid thump and leaned against it, closing her eyes. She breathed, trying to recapture some of the composure she was desperately trying to maintain.


It's her life, it's her love, and it's her family.


She had to be strong, and she had to fight. She couldn't let Nick down. She couldn't fail her parents or CJ or AJ or anyone.


The house phone rang and she waited, hoping that Cook was home and she would answer it. She didn't, and Lexie let it ring through to the answering service, deciding she would get the message later. In the distance, she heard her name being called, and she could tell it was Aaron.


She opened her eyes and looked around the bedroom. She kicked off her shoes and began to remove her suit. She was in her blouse and skirt when Aaron came in without even knocking. Lexie looked back at him and was momentarily startled by how much he looked like Nick. Of course, Aaron's hair was shorter and Nick was still taller, but in the dim afternoon light that filtered through the bedroom's blinds, he was Nick.


"Lex? You okay? Why didn't you answer your phone?" he demanded gently, even sounding like Nick. She knew he was trying hard to control his anger and worry.


"I'm sorry." She swallowed. "I just needed to be alone for a little bit. Who called?"


"Everyone. Your parents, AJ, Gina, Nick. . ." he began.


"I'd better call Nick." She said, moving toward the bedroom phone.


"You okay?" he asked again.


She looked up at him from where she sat, the cordless phone in her hand, "Yeah, I'm fine, Aaron. I swear."


And she smiled.

Chapter 19 by old_archive

Nick hadn't known what to do or what to be after the telecast of Lexie's testimony. It hadn't gone at all how the prosecutor had said it would. It had been mean, brutal, and so true, so very close to his heart.


She had cried a little when they spoke. She remained strong, and he was proud of her, but he reminded her that she didn't have to be strong in front of him. He loved her, and he understood her pain. That's when the floodgates opened. She cried for nearly five minutes, then stopped and reclaimed her resolve. She said she still had a lot to do for CJ's party tomorrow night.


"God, is that tomorrow?" he had asked.


"Yes, it is." She smiled. "Thank your lucky stars you aren't here. It's strictly 'no boys allowed'."


"I've had my share of girls screaming at me." He chuckled.


"Yes, but they liked you." Lexie said, "Here, you'd just be CJ's dad."


"Thank you, Lexie." He said suddenly.


"For what?" she asked.


"For handling everything."


"You're welcome."


"I'm proud of you, honey."


"That means more than you know." She choked.


It was nearly 2 a.m. in Orlando and he was lounging at the pool at AJ's house. He and Alex had gone to bed hours ago. On the nights when Nick did come home, they were both usually asleep. Nick remembered those days, being a single dad and not nearly enough energy to chase a 4-year-old. He had gone to bed early then too.


Today, he had sent everyone home early and watched the trial. After the testimony, he had been so stunned that it was Howie who started dialing Lexie first, then AJ, and then he began. She had called him first.


Nothing would take away the guilt he felt now. He never should have left her to deal with that alone; he should have been there for her. He should have moved them all here as soon as possible and not left her to take care of everything.


He missed CJ. It had been nearly a month, and he could barely stand it. Next weekend, he would be leaving for a visit home, and he couldn't wait. He loved and missed them both so much, he couldn't imagine ever doing this again.


Maybe the whole thing was a joke. He hadn't released in album in over five years, who the hell was going to buy it? Old Backstreet Boys fans? Old Nick Carter fans? Nick sighed heavily. He had signed the contract, and Howie was investing the money in this for him. Howie believed in him and maybe AJ did, too. What if Howie and AJ were only doing this because he was married to Lexie?


Nick growled aloud in frustration, putting down the last of the four beers he had been drinking. He picked up Fairy Bunny and looked him in the eye.


"You know. If I suck, I wish someone would just say something. I have enough money in the bank, you know. Okay, not that much, but it's coming back in." Nick said aloud. "You know, guy, maybe I'm just kidding myself. I'm just a washed up teen idol who ain't got no business singing to anyone any more."



By morning, everyone had called Lexie, even Jake from Seattle. Well, he also called to say he and Missy broke up again. She was heading to L.A. to go to school there, once her mom joined Jill's law firm. Lexie told him she was sorry and that if he wanted to kill a weekend, he could come down and hang out with her. He said he might take her up on that, but he had to get his dad to pay for some airline tickets. She agreed to leave the light on for him.


Lexie told CJ a muted truth about her day in court, and they seemed like good enough answers for her. CJ was strangely quiet that evening and Lexie suspected there was something else on CJ's mind other than the trial, her father's absence, and her slumber party. Lexie didn't press her; they just went through their evening routine of eating, playing, and doing homework.


"So, are you ready for your slumber party tonight?" Lexie asked, sitting inside the master bath as CJ showered in the morning.


"Yeah!"


"Did you invite that new girl?"


"Yeah, her parents are going to drop her off here first. They want to know where the house is."


"You give them the address?"


"Yes, but we'll have to leave the party list at the gate so they can get in."


"Got that all printed up to hand to the guard when we leave this morning." Lexie answered. "So, no one freaked out when you said you were going to invite her?"


"No, well, kinda. Martha and Brittany said they weren't going to come, but then they changed their mind."


"Wow, that's pretty good." Lexie said.


"Yeah. Jane told them they were being stupid, which they were. I told them I didn't care if they showed up or not." CJ said, grunting as she shut off the water and stepped from the shower. Lexie tossed her a towel.


CJ dried herself off, wrapped herself in a towel and then began to comb through her wet hair.


"I wish my hair was dark like yours." CJ said suddenly.


"How come?" Lexie asked, her brow furrowed at CJ's comment.


"Then people would think you were my mom." She said, continuing to work the tangles out of her hair.


"Well, then you wouldn't look like your dad."


CJ gave her the funniest look, then went back to looking in the mirror and continued to work out her hair, "Everyone knows that's not his real hair color." She said with a roll of her eyes.


Lexie let out a hearty laugh, "Well, you got me there."


"Do you think my mother has blonde hair?" she asked softly.


"I bet she does." Lexie answered gently.


"Sometimes people think Aunt Jill is my mom."


"Well, you're both blonde."


"Did your mom have dark hair?"


"Yes, but I'm not exactly sure what color was. She used to change it too. Just like AJ."


"What color were her eyes?"


"Blue."


"Yours look even darker than AJ's."


"I think they are." Lexie agreed.


"Mine are just like Dad's." CJ said, putting down the comb.


"You guys have the same nose, too." Lexie said, tapping it and then pulling her closer. "CJ? Is there anything you want to ask me?"


CJ was quiet for a while, and then she just shrugged.


"Well, you know, if you ever want to ask me anything, you can. Anything at all." Lexie said.


"Okay." CJ shrugged.


"Good. You about ready to go?"


"I gotta brush my teeth." She said. Lexie turned her around and swatted her toweled behind.


"Well, get a move on." Lexie smiled.


The rest of their morning routine went as usual, with the exception that it was Friday and CJ's sleepover at the house was that night. The half dozen girls who were coming came clamoring up to the car, begging for details, and asking tons of questions.


Yes, there would movies in the theater.


Yes, there would be popcorn.


No, you can't play the stereo as loud as you want.


Yes, there will be plenty of pop for everyone.


No, there would not be any boys, not even CJ's dad. If they were lucky, they might see Jane's dad, but that was it in the way of "boys".


They were relieved.


Lexie threw her backpack into a chair in her office and turned on her computer. She grabbed her coffee cup and head toward the coffee machine when Steve and Bobby, two of the biggest men she had ever met, walked by.


"Nice Bimmer, Mrs. Carter." Steve joked.


"Yeah, nice and shiny, Mrs. Carter." Bobby laughed.


"You two knock it off, or I'm going to kick your asses." She smiled.


"You know, "Steve began, stopping to wrangle with the coffee pot. "We don't have anything to do at lunch, we could wash it for you."


"Why would I want you to do that? I have a stable of half naked house boys to do that for me." She said, completely straight faced.


"You do?" Bobby asked.


"Man, she's joking." Steve groaned.


"Oh!" Bobby muttered.


"You two get that last truck unloaded?" Lexie asked.


"No, the forklift battery croaked and it's stuck halfway in. We're just going to get another so we can tow it out of the way."


"Think you'll be done today?"


"Yeah, if Norma and Bates move that Hunt estate out of cargo hold 14."


"Okay, I'll check on that for you."


"Cool." Steve said with a bob of his head.


Lexie left them to get back to the last of her entries for the last truckload. Then she went and lent a hand unloading the last truck to start appraising the items. They had been utterly amazed she knew how to drive a forklift, something Nick still couldn't believe she could do.



"It's one line and a few notes, can you just try to sing it right!?" AJ snapped, flicking off the external speakers from the recording booth before Nick could answer.


"Ease up, AJ." Brian said sternly.


"Well, if he hadn't stayed up last night and did a six-pack of beer, he could do this." AJ snapped at him.


"Nick, take ten." Brian said into the booth.


"What the fuck are you doing?" AJ demanded.


"Excuse me, but I'm this song's producer. If you have a problem with that, you can go screw. . ." Brian snapped back.


"Will you two knock it off!!?!" Michelle, Howie's assistant, said.


"You bring the coffee, little lady." AJ's reply was snide.


"You want to wear the coffee, asshole?" She snapped back.


"That's enough!" Howie groaned from his seat across the room. "AJ get out of here, it's Brian's project."


AJ gathered his things and headed for the door, Howie got up and grabbed his arm and pulling him close, "And don't ever talk to one of my employees like that again."


AJ snapped his arm loose and left the recording studio. Howie shook his head and headed back to Michelle and Brian.


"I'm sorry, Howie." Michelle said with her soft New England accent.


"No, don't worry about it. He deserved it." Howie smiled for her. "I left those quarterly reports on your desk, can you revise them according to my notes?"


"Sure." She said, turning to leave. After she left, Brian turned to Howie, but Howie was staring inside at a very lost looking Nick.


"You think he can finish this today?" Howie asked.


"No, his voice is shot." Brian sighed.


"Send him home then. Actually, why don't you two come over for dinner tonight." Howie suggested. "I'll call Leah, and we can just relax."


"Sure, that's no problem."


"I'll talk to AJ, but I think he and Nick have been living together too long."


"We could get a bigger suite together." Brian said.


"Yeah, that might be best." Howie agreed. He leaned over and flicked on the mic to the recording booth. "You and Brian are coming over to dinner tonight. Why don't you two split for the rest of the day. I'll see you at 6."



The smell of the propane was testing Lexie's sinuses to the limit as she finally got the last settee placed in the cargo hold for inspection tomorrow. She figured this round would take her another week to get through. She parked the forklift with the others for the night and turned it off with a sigh of relief. She rubbed her eyes and nose then climbed down to walk back across the warehouse. Norma pulled up on an electric cart.


"You need a lift, girl?"


"Yeah." Lexie smiled with relief, climbing onboard the golf cart.


"You still got all those girls coming over tonight?"


"Yes, I thought there was just four, but now it's looking like six, plus CJ and her cousin, Jane." Lexie smiled.


"You gonna have any help?"


"Nope, just me and them. They made sure there weren't going to be any boys there. They may run Nick's brother off the property if they see him."


"Girl, I don't envy you."


"Funny, that's what Nick said, too." Lexie smiled. "But this is the first sleepover that CJ's ever had, so it's pretty important. She picked out all the food, movies, and activities. Half of which I doubt we're going to use."


"You'll be surprised." Norma laughed. "Well, you can always come to work on Monday and sleep."



Well, some of the spots of the evening were better than others. They screamed and ran away when Aaron showed up with Jane. He almost looked hurt when Jane told him 'no boys allowed'. Aaron did smile and wave as she slammed the door on him. Lexie called and apologized as he drove home, but he was laughing too hard to really talk and drive at the same time.


It was nearly 8 o'clock, and the girls had settled down for a move, when she received a phone call she wasn't expecting.


"Carter residence." Lexie said, collapsing on the office chair.


"Hello, this is Mark Nelson from CBS and I'd like to speak with Lexie Carter, please."


"This is Lexie."


"Mrs. Carter? Oh, it's nice to finally talk to you."


"Really? What can I do for you, Mr. Nelson?"


"Oh, let me fully introduce myself. I'm the senior show producer for Victoria Winslow at CBS news. Vicki asked me to see if I could arrange an interview with you."


"Me? What for?" Lexie asked, stunned that a nationally known TV interviewer would want to talk to her.


"Well, Vicki was very moved by your testimony during the trial, and she would like your reaction, now that it's over."


"It's over?"


"Yes, didn't you hear? The jury came back in today and the verdict was announced around 6 p.m. your time."


"I'm sorry, but I have a house full of girls for a slumber party. I haven't had time to do much else." Lexie said.


"Well, would you like me to tell you the verdict?"


"Yes."


"She was convicted, Mrs. Carter. She's been sentenced to the maximum."


"Well, she's as much a victim as all of us, I suppose." Lexie sighed.


"Really, what makes you say that?"


"The unions used her as part of their attack on Nick, putting her in the position she was in and harming me. I mean, I don't think if she and I had just been standing there quietly, she would have pushed me. She got caught up in the adrenaline. I know her lawyer works for them, so why didn't they plea-bargain her out of the charge? Why make it go to trial? It's obvious they are just trying to keep the issue in the public eye, when it should have died when their connection to Jive was exposed in the last of Nick's trial." Lexie said.


"Is that what you think?"


"Why else would they want to put her through a trial? Why would they attack me during a romantic dinner? It is all to keep themselves in the public eye, but the truth is if they had not blocked Nick's tour in the first place, none of this would have happened. It already came out in trial that Nick's production company pays higher than average wages to journeymen."


"You know, Lexie, I think Vicki would be very interested in talking to you."


"I don't know. I don't really get involved in Nick's career publicly."


"No, she doesn't want to talk about Nick, she wants to talk about you."



Mark offered to call back on Monday, but Lexie was curious as hell to know why Victoria Winslow would want to interview her. Sure, she had offers before, but mostly by tabloid or useless press she did not care about. Victoria Winslow was her generation's Barbara Walters, and it was a sure thing that the interview would be done with taste and restraint.


The phone rang again before she had a chance to get up and leave the office.


"Carter residence."


"Hey, girl, how goes the siege?"


"Ha! Their little brains are turning to mush as they watch some movies." She laughed at Jake. "You talk to your dad?"


"Naw, he's still in London, but Mom's paying. So, can you pick me up tomorrow?"


"When you going to be in?"


"After 4 p.m."


"Great, the kids'll be gone by noon and CJ is going to her grandmother's!" Lexie cheered.


"Then we got to go have some grown up fun. Do a little clubbing. . ."


"Damn, there is about a dozen places I used to go to I haven't seen in over a year. I'm gonna have to call Gina to find out if any of them are still open."


"Hey, that's that little blonde, right? Why don't you invite her?" he said eagerly.


"Jake! You just broke up with your girlfriend!" Lexie groaned.


"Out with the old, in with the new!" he laughed.

Chapter 20 by old_archive

Brian leaned against the rail of the boardwalk, watching Nick off in the distance. It was getting dark, and they had already missed dinner at Howie's. Brian didn't have the heart to rush him. He watched Nick stop and pick up the occasional stone or shell, then lob it into the ocean. The wind was pushing Nick's ponytail, loose strands whipping around his face like a halo.


Brian saw Nick answer the phone, and he talked to whoever had been on the other side for quite awhile, then hung up and headed farther out along the public beach. Brian clasped his fingers together and leaned forward on the rail closest to the water. Nick must have sensed Brian’s heavy sigh. He turned and headed back toward the boardwalk.


"Feeling better?" Brian asked as Nick pushed the loose strands of hair behind his ear.


"Yeah."


"Who called?" Brian asked, although he had already guessed.


"Lexie. CJ's party is going well. She's going out tomorrow night with some girlfriends, Gina and the twins. Lord knows she deserves it." Nick said with a wistful smile.


"You tell her what happened?" Brian asked.


"No, she sounded so happy." Nick sighed. "Besides, it'll blow over. It always does with him. I want her to have a good time when she goes out. I don't want her worrying about me. Sounds like CJ and her friends are having a good time."


"I'm sure they are. Hey, let's go get something to eat since we missed dinner at Howie's."


"Why didn't you say something?" Nick asked, casting his eyes out onto the water again. He saw Brian shrug out of the corner of his eye. "She probably did a lot of work, too."


"She said it was okay. I spoke with them a while ago. I told them you looked like you needed the time."


"Thanks, Bri." Nick sighed.


"He got us a new hotel suite. We can go pick up your things tonight, move you in. . ." Brian began as they turned to walk back to the car.


"Let me go talk to AJ first, see if he's calmed down." Nick said as they walked.


"I'm sure he has. Probably have a couple beers waiting for us."


"Yeah, probably." Nick agreed quietly.



When Brian and Nick arrived at the house, it was dark. The alarm was set, so it was obvious that no one was home. Brian followed Nick upstairs to the guestroom and helped him put his bags back together. Brian couldn’t help but smile when he first saw the mess. Some things never change and obviously Nick’s messy habits from the road were some of those things.


They carried his bags downstairs once they were finished. "You want to leave him a note or something?" Brian asked as they stood in the open kitchen.


"No, don't bother, I know what's up." AJ said from behind them in the living room.


"Where's Alex?" Brian asked.


"He's with his grandparents." AJ said.


"Look, AJ. . ." Nick began.


"No, it’s okay." AJ sighed with a wave of his hand. "It was just a long day, okay?"


"Howie got us a suite. . ." Brian began.


"Yeah, I know, I know. I got the speech already about being too controlling and to give Nick his space and shit." AJ grumbled.


"No, no, it's okay." Nick said.


"No, it's not. Howie gave you creative control."


"Well, if it's worth anything. I know you're just trying to help." Nick shrugged.


"Yeah, I am." AJ said, looking up at Nick, who wasn't looking at anyone. AJ looked over at Brian, "But unless you're ready to do this project, it isn't going to happen."


"AJ." Brian sighed.


"No, he's right." Nick groaned. "I thought I was ready. . ."


"Nick?" Brian asked.


"Oh, who the fuck am I kidding?!" Nick finally snapped. "You guys should just go home, this just isn't going to happen."


"What?!" Brian protested. "Where the hell is this coming from?!"


They listened to him rant and rave for nearly 20 minutes: Brian and AJ finally resigning themselves to lean against the couch until he was done. He claimed he was a has-been, he didn't stand a chance, and no one was going to buy this album, that he was just a washed up teen idol and a pathetic one at that.


Suddenly, Nick fell silent and looked over at the two of them. They were leaning against the back of the couch with their arms crossed, waiting for him to finish.


"Oh! I think he's done." Brian said.


"About time." AJ muttered.


"Well, Howie may have a few words to add, but I think I'll cover it when I tell you to quit being a jackass." Brian smiled.


"I'd like to add he's being stupid." AJ said.


"It's a pity contract, and you guys know it!" Nick snapped at them.


"Ewww, I wouldn't say that to his face." Brian cringed.


"I should have never signed it." Nick groaned. "I should have just gotten my own deal. . ."


"So, you do think you can sell records." AJ said.


"I. . ." Nick stuttered.


"So, the problem is that it's Howie’s record company?" Brian asked.


"No, I. . ." Nick began again.


"You think he only did this because you're married to Lexie." AJ said. "And you can't move past it."


"Well, no, I. . ." Nick tried to begin again.


"Let me see if I've got this right. You think the project is going to be a flop and that Howie only signed you because you're married to Lexie, but without us you think you can sell records?" AJ said.


"No, that's not. . ." Nick protested.


"I think we are wasting our time." Brian said, interrupting Nick. "Mister Hotshot over here thinks he can do it better without us."


"Brian. . ." Nick groaned.


"Well, hey, I'm sure there is a nice beach somewhere in the world I'd rather be on." AJ said.


"I've got a wife in Atlanta I'd rather be on." Brian said.


"Stop it, you guys!" Nick yelled.


"So, what the fuck is the problem!?" AJ snapped back.


"What if I fail?!" Nick yelled back at him. A silence fell over the three of them. Nick ran a hand over his face, pushing loose hair from his face. He turned and headed out to the patio.


"Come on, let's go get him." Brian smirked at AJ.


"God, forty-five, and we're still holding his hand." AJ smirked back.


"I guess that what happens when you're the 'cute one'." Brian joked as they followed Nick outside. Nick was hunched on a chaise, his body tense and turned away from them.


"Nick, I don't know what to tell you." Brian said, sitting in a chair next to him. "We don't know how it's going to go, but the advance reaction has been good. Local interviews you've done are going over well, people are asking about you and this record."


"People want you to succeed, Nick, especially after all you've been through." AJ added. "All any of us want you to do is try."


"I can't deal with another failure." Nick said quietly.


"Nick, there are no guarantees, but if you put your heart and soul into it, you can’t fail. People will see that." Brian said.


"I don't know that I have any left."


"If you can't do this for yourself or your fans. Do it for them." Brian said, reaching out and pulling on Nick's wedding ring. "Your life isn't about you any more, Nick. It's CJ and Lexie."


"I don't want to let them down." Nick mumbled.


"You can't. They love you and they don't care if your next album goes platinum or not." Brian said.


Nick's response was a nod of his head.


"Come on, buddy." AJ sighed. "You can do this. We wouldn't all be here if it was just a pity trip. I would have slapped Howie myself for doing that."


"I just don't know, you guys." Nick sighed.


"I do. We both do." Brian smiled. "I think you're just homesick."


"I'm headed home this weekend." Nick shrugged.


"Yeah, well, maybe you should go home a couple of days early." AJ said. "Like Wednesday or something."


"Maybe."


"Maybe? Sounds like a sure thing to me. I wouldn't mind a long weekend." Brian smiled.


"Yeah, makes me proud to know someone's getting some." AJ chuckled, getting to his feet. "Lord knows I'm not."


"What happened to that sweet young thing in L.A.?"


"Oh please!" AJ groaned, then he made some whimpering puppy noises and then waved the two of them off. "You guys want a beer?"


"Sure, bring out a couple." Brian said as AJ went back into the house.


"Brian." Nick said. "I'm still not so sure about this."


"I know. I know it's scary after all you've been through. But if you don't do this, Nick, you'll never know. You'll never know if you could have gotten back on stage and performed again. It's your life, man, has been since you were a little snot-nosed, 13-year-old punk. I know, I was there."


"Okay." Nick nodded. AJ came back and handed them each a long-neck bottle. "Don't tell Howie, okay?"


"We won't." AJ said.



It was a long night for Lexie, but she managed to get about two hours sleep before parents came to pick up their kids. They were all gone by noon, and CJ was happily leaving with her grandmother's driver by one. Lexie closed the front door with a solid thud and headed upstairs for a nap before Jake arrived. She just hired a driver to pick him up since she was just too tired to do it herself.


He walked into the house about an hour after his flight arrived. She hustled him to a guestroom, and he showered and changed for their evening out.


"What are you going to wear?" Jake whined, sprawled across Nick and Lexie's bed. "Hey! You going to wear one of those short, black numbers?" He added excitedly.


"Just about." She laughed, coming out of the bathroom adjusting an earring. "How's this? I'm not looking too 'married to a famous guy', am I?"


"You look well kept." He smirked, his green eyes sparkling.


"Shut up!" She groaned, pulling on her shoes.


The dress she picked was actually black, but it was a basic spaghetti strapped dress that had a looser bodice and a full skirt that ended just above her knees.


"So, is Nick really cool about this?"


"Sure." She shrugged, transferring items from one purse to another.


"Okay, what happened?" Jake said, lowering his voice.


"You sound like your dad when you do that." She smiled.


"I DO NOT!" he protested. "You're just trying to change the subject!" he said, wagging a finger at her. Lexie knew how much the comparisons bugged Jake. "What did he say?"


"Nothing, he's cool with it. It just me and some friends going out." She smiled. "He's not all weird and jealous or anything. I don't have those problems. Now, are we going out or not?"


"What car are we taking?" Jake asked, getting to his feet.


"About that." She began as they headed out of the bedroom and down the hall.


"He said no to the Prowler, didn’t he?"


"Actually, I didn't have time to ask. It was the second thing he said after 'have a good time'." Lexie laughed. "So, your choice is going to be red Porsche, black Porsche, white Porsche, black BMW two door, black BMW four door, a white Ford truck thing, or the very metallic silver Ferrari."


"That's it?"


"He hasn't gotten the other ones back yet."


"Oh, God, okay. . .hmmm. . .I say. . .Ferrari. . ." Jake smiled.


"One Ferrari it is." Lexie laughed, stepping into the garage and tossing him the keys from the wall peg. "And don't scratch it, or your dad is paying for it."


"Naw, I'll just ask mom!" Jake cackled, tossing the keys up in his hand.



They met Gina and the twins, Marley and Maddy, at The Watering Hole and were escorted straight in. It was either the name Richardson, Dorough-Carter, or Ferrari that got them in quickly, but none of them pushed the issue. They started out the evening with drinks and after enough alcohol, they all hit the dance floor.


The group dancing was wild and uninhibited, with Lexie expelling more energy than she thought she had. It was pretty clear about half way through the night that Gina and Jake were pretty attracted to one another. Lexie, Marley, and Maddy had their own choice of dance partners as well, which didn't leave them wanting for company.


Lexie couldn't believe it was nearly 2:30 when they heard last call. This club had been enough entertainment for all of them, and they hadn't bounced around town like they had planned.


Lexie noticed a few people in the same position she was in; child of a famous person. Jake met up with Drew Barrymoore's daughter, only because their parents had worked together on a number of films together. The others she didn't know except from reputation, mainly because Howie hadn't let her come to Hollywood when she was younger and had kept all the kids out of the limelight. A small part of her felt at home, another felt like an outsider, but after a few drinks everyone seemed all right.


Everyone in their party made last call and settled into their private table to finish their last drinks. Their party had gone from five to nearly 15. Some unknown Lathario was hanging on Lexie, but she ignored him, getting tired of saying she was married.


"So, how are we all getting home?" Gina asked over the music.


"He was supposed to stay sober to drive home!" Lexie laughed, pointing to a nearly unconscious Jake laying his head on her shoulder.


"You ain't driving." Marley slurred in her ear.


"Hell, neither are you!" Maddy agreed heavily.


"I'm not leaving that car here." Lexie groaned, feeling her head beginning to swim from the alcohol.


"Can't you call someone? Please?" Jake groaned.


"Who?!"


"Don't Nick have a brother or something?"


"Aaron? You want me to call, Aaron? Oh, yeah, right, I can hear it now. . .uh. . .Aaron, can you come get me and drive Nick's Ferrari home?" Lexie said, making up a phone voice.


"I could drive you home." The unknown young and. . .very firm. . .Lexie noted, man next to her said.


"No! No! No! I'll get you home!" Jake declared.


"You can't drive!" Marley said.


"I'll call my mom. . ." he began.


"Oh no you don't! You call your mom and she's gonna tell my dad and he's gonna tell my husband and. . .no! You are not calling your mom!" Lexie protested.


"Okay, okay, okay." Jake slurred. "What are we going to do?"


"I don't know." Lexie groaned.


"Let's just take cabs home and come back tomorrow and pick it up." Gina said.


"I can't leave it just parked out there!"


"It's in valet parking. They'll watch it." Gina said.


"Yeah, what she said." Marley added.


"You sure?" Lexie asked.


"I'm sure. C'mon, let's go." Gina said, pushing herself out of the booth and past the leeches.


Maddy got them all cabs, easily ditching the people who followed them outside. Jake and Lexie took a cab to the house; Gina, Marley, and Maddy all went home to their apartments.



The sun was cracking through the bedroom windows at noon when the phone rang. Unable to move, Lexie let it ring through to the service, but it kept on ringing. Finally, Jake stumbled in, still dressed from the night before and fell onto the bed next to her. He handed her the phone.


"It's Nick."


"Oh, fuck." She groaned. She took the phone, her face still buried into the blankets and offered him a muffled "hello".


"Have a good time?" She heard him chuckle.


"Uh, huh."


"You didn't tell me Jake was there."


"Forgot."


"I bet you've forgotten quite a few things."


"Uh, huh."


"My mom called, wondering where you were all night. She wants to keep CJ another night and take her to school tomorrow."


"Uh, huh."


"What did you guys drive last night?"


Long pause.


"Ferrari."


"It okay?"


"Uh, huh."


"I'll let you go, okay, honey?" Nick chuckled.


"Uh, huh."


"Just hang the keys up."


"Yep."


"Bye."


"Uh, huh."


Click.


Yes, they had driven the Ferrari, gone to the club, danced, and drank, came home in cabs. . .cabs?


"Oh, shit!" Lexie said, sitting up in bed, still dressed in her party clothes.


"What?! What?! What?!" Jake asked, sitting up as well.


"Where the fuck is the Ferrari!"

Chapter 21 by old_archive

"What's so funny?" Brian asked as Nick turned off his cell phone.


"My mom's been calling the house all night and this morning, trying to get hold of Lexie." Nick chuckled, "But there hasn't been an answer, so she called me."


"Lexie okay?"


"Well, 'okay' is relative. I think she partied just a little too hard last night. I just talked to her, she's barely out of the grunt stage of the hangover." Nick giggled. "I think she'll be happy to know that CJ won't be there."


"You seem pretty calm about this." Brian smiled.


"You know, we can talk about how age doesn't matter, but the truth is Lexie is still a young woman with friends of her own. I did worse things than this when I was her age." Nick sighed.


"It's good you understand that." Brian smiled.


"You know, she's with me 100%. I can't fault her a thing." Nick smiled. "There are some things I'm totally sure about."


"Good. You sound better about things this morning."


"A little."


"Even more so since Howie agreed to let you go home early."


"Yeah, that helps." Nick blushed.


"Good, I'm glad. I'm glad you and AJ are okay with you guys not living together."


"Well, I'll miss Alex, but I could live without his dad." Nick chuckled. "You have any idea how fussy AJ has become? Jesus, it's like living with a woman. You got to use coasters all the time, can't put your feet up on the furniture, gotta wash your own dishes. . .God forbid you leave a dirty dish in the sink."


"Well, you have a housekeeper."


"I know, and I highly recommend it. I don't want Lexie fussing around the house when she could go to school or do something else. There are more important things in life than picking up the dry cleaning." Nick said.


"That sounds awful snobby." Brian laughed.


"Well, if I was married to some guy with our kind of money, I sure as hell wouldn't do the cooking and cleaning." Nick chuckled. "And I don't even have that much compared to Howie and AJ. It felt really good to give Cook, Marcus, and Anthony that back pay I owed them. Included a nice bonus, too."


"That's good of you."


"I owe them more than that."


"You tell them you're moving yet?"


"No, we haven't told anyone, except for CJ who is keeping mum."


"She's a good little secret keeper. I couldn't get my girls to keep a secret."


"She's had a lot of practice." Nick agreed. "I wish I could ask them to come with us. I doubt any of them would leave their families to move to Tampa, even if they have been with me for over 15 years."


"Well, you can always find new help."


"Yeah, but can I find good, loyal help?" Nick sighed, "But that's neither here nor there. Where were we?" Nick said, turning his chair back to the mixing board. They had to get a lot done this Sunday in order to leave early this week.



After showers, some toast, and coffee, Jake drove them back to the club. Although Jake was somewhat sure they had left it there, it was gone when they arrived. Lexie demanded to know if Jake was sure, but he confessed he wasn't.


"What am I going to do?" Lexie groaned from the inside of one of Nick's BMW.


"When they open, we'll call and asked if they had it towed."


"Towed? Why would someone tow a 2000 Ferrari Testarosa with the vanity plate "Carter 4" on it? It's not like they didn't know we were here last night? It's not like they didn't know which Carter it belonged to? God, how am I going to tell Nick it got stolen?!" Lexie moaned, holding her head. "If I have to hear the 'but it's a classic' speech, I may have to shoot myself."


"Let's call the police, then, report it stolen."


"It's registered to Nick, he'll know what happened before I get a chance to explain."


"Well, you better hurry up so they can find it."


"Find it? It's been chopped up into little pieces and shipped to Tijuana by now."


"Just call them, will you? If I have to listen to you whine about this another second, I may shoot you myself." Jake groaned.


Lexie called and was transferred nearly a dozen times before she got 1 of 14 impound yards in Los Angeles. Of course, none of them were open on Sunday. The phone rang in her hand when she hung up from another answering service.


"Hello?" She asked, seeing Nick's number on her phone.


"Hey, baby, feeling better?"


"Uh, huh." She nodded, not trusting herself to speak.


"Sounds like it. Hey, got some good news. Howie's letting us go early for the weekend."


"Really, great. So, what? Friday? Thursday?"


"No, Wednesday. Isn't that great!"


"Wednesday? You're going to be home Wednesday?" She croaked, her eyes wide as she looked over at Jake.


"Well, probably not until the afternoon. I think I'm flying commercial. AJ's going somewhere in Mexico with his plane." Nick smiled. "Think you could pick me up? I can't wait to see you. I've missed you so much."


"Uh. . .sure, I guess I could."


"Everything okay, Lex?"


"Oh, yeah, Nick, everything's fine." She said. "Jake and I are just out. . .getting a bite to eat."


"Oh, yeah? Well, you guys have fun. He going back soon?"


"I'm taking him to the airport tomorrow morning before I go to work." Lexie said.


"Okay, well, you kids have fun."


"Thanks, Nick." Lexie said with a roll of her eyes.


"I love you."


"Love you, too." She said, turning off the phone. "I am so dead."


In Orlando, Nick turned off the phone with a triumphant push of his thumb. Brian finally let out the roar he was holding in, "You're cruel. You are really, really cruel."


"I'll teach that little imp to lose one of my cars again." Nick laughed.


The Los Angeles Police Department had called him 20 minutes after they impounded it for its own safety. Lexie and her friends hadn't told the valet they would be leaving it there, and the club didn't want responsibility for it, so they had it impounded. He knew she'd find it by Monday night, meanwhile, he was going to see if she would confess or not.



"Lexie! Lexie! Lexie!" The front office receptionist called out as she ran across the concrete warehouse floor in high heel shoes, waving a couple of phone messages. "Oh, I'm so glad I caught you." She finished as she stumbled to a stop next to Lexie and cracked her gum.


"What is it?" Lexie asked, trying not to sound too condescending. Gina agreed to let Lexie have part of the morning off to try and track down Nick's car since the police weren't able to confirm if or when it might have been impounded. She was still hoping Monday morning that it had been impounded and not stolen. She drove Jake to the airport, and he wished her luck. She headed into the office to finish her phone calls.


"You got some phone calls." April smiled at Lexie and handed her the phone messages. "Some guy with Victoria Winslow's office. . .why would someone want to interview you? Is that what they want? Do you get to go to New York?"


"Shit, I forgot about that. . ." Lexie mumbled as she flipped through the messages. The producer must have called the office since she hadn't answered the phone at home. "Thanks, April."


Lexie headed off toward her office, but Gina fell quickly into step behind her. She leaned up against the doorframe, waiting for Lexie to get settled.


"Any luck?" Gina asked.


"No. I've got six more impound yards to call, and three are still looking and have to call me back. What am I going to do?" Lexie moaned.


"Ever think of telling him the truth?"


"You don't understand. I could lose CJ and he wouldn't take it as hard as losing one of his cars."


"Oh, be serious." Gina giggled.


"I am!" Lexie protested.


"Will CJ notice it's missing?"


"Oh, God, I hadn't even thought of that. It's parked next to last in the main garage." Lexie moaned, dropping her head into her hands. "I am so dead." The phone rang and Lexie picked it up, "Hello?"


"Lexie?!"


"Hey, CJ." She said, forcing cheer into her voice.


"I'm coming home tonight. Are you going to pick me up at grandma's or at school?"


"I'll get you at school, okay?"


"Good, because grandma is really mad at you." CJ giggled.


"And this is different from another day?" Lexie chuckled. "Hey, I talked to your Dad. He's coming home on Wednesday."


"Really! Yeah! I can't wait to see him!" CJ cheered.


"I'll pick him up at the airport then come get you at school Wednesday."


"Yeah!" CJ continued to cheer.


Lexie said goodbye to CJ and promised again to pick her up at school. She hung up the phone and looked up at Gina.


"You are so dead." Gina smiled.



Fate being what it was, it was the very last impound yard that had the car. She made arrangements to pick it up Tuesday after work. CJ didn't notice the missing car, but Cook, Anthony, and Marcus did. She told them she had it sent out to be detailed. Lexie knew they didn't believe her because Nick's detailer came to the house and he never left it anywhere. There was no way she was going to tell anyone the truth at this point. She was just happy she found it.


Nick called again that night, giving no hint that he knew exactly what was going on. CJ and Lexie had a quiet evening Monday, and Tuesday started out just how it should. Lexie was still happy she had found the car and still equally thrilled her body was feeling normal again after the weekend bender.


Gina followed her home at lunch and then drove back to the auction house, so she could drive Lexie to the impound yard after work. It was an uneventful trip, until after Lexie paid the fines and saw the car.


They had parked it under a tree, where leaves had fallen on it and were stuck to the metallic finish. She couldn't believe what the birds in the tree had done to it as well. She peeled off a few leaves, only to find that even the veins of the leaves were imprinted on the finish of the car.


"Oh, Lex, I'm so sorry." Gina said.


"I am so dead, G. Now I wish it had been stolen, he would have forgiven me that." Lexie groaned. "His flight is at 2:30 tomorrow and then I have to go pick up CJ and there is no way I can get it detailed and back into the garage before he gets home."


"There is always the truth." Gina smiled.


"No, there is no way I'm going through that." Lexie said, determined. There just has to be a way!



"So, he's not going to tell her he knows?" Leah giggled in Howie's arms.


"Nope. He wants to teach her a lesson." Howie giggled himself.


"She's going to kill him when she finds out." She smiled, snuggling as close as she could against his warm body.


"I know, but it's his problem now." Howie said, tightening his grip on her bare shoulders. "Besides, after the run in with AJ and everything, he needs a good laugh. I don't think she'll be too mad at him."


"I'm glad they settled it." Leah agreed. "I feel kind of sorry for him, as scared as he is about all of this."


"Shhh, now. Remember, AJ promised not to tell me." He said, kissing her temple.


"I know, I won't say anything." She nodded. "It was great for him and Brian to take the kids out tonight to AJ's."


"That was my idea." Howie smiled.


"And a good idea it was." She smiled, sitting up and looking down at him.


Making love as much as possible had become a favorite pastime for both of them. Howie would sneak home at lunch, and the increased intimacy had given them back something in their relationship they hadn't realized was missing. Another pregnancy was becoming just an afterthought, behind spending quality time together. Howie found himself more grounded and willing to walk away from work now. It was doing wonders for his stress levels as well. He realized how much he missed just talking to her about work, the kids, and their friends.


"I wonder when Nick and Lexie will have more children." Leah mused.


"I don't know. Hard to say." Howie shrugged.


"Does it still bother you?"


"Them? No, it really doesn't." Howie said. "What are you doing so far away?" He pouted.


She giggled, blushed, and moved back down into his arms. He was quick to roll her on her back and bury her under his weight. She let out a joyful squeal that he covered with his hand.


"Shhh, you're going to wake Caroline." He whispered with a smile.


"She's not here." Leah smiled, pushing his hand away. "She's out with her Uncle Nick. I can scream as loud as I want."


"Again?" Howie smiled.


"That's entirely up to you." She teased him.



Lexie called Victoria Winslow's producer, but by Wednesday morning they were still playing phone tag. CJ didn't get a chance to notice the Ferrari was parked in the garage and filthy.


Lexie's hands were ice cold and her heart was racing as she discreetly moved through LAX to pick up Nick at the gate. Yes, she was excited to see Nick, but she was also praying for more time.


His flight, late as usual, was just unloading as she walked up to it. She went to where the gate was, but didn't see him. She began to walk around as they began to unboard coach.


"Where is he?" she sighed, digging in her purse for her cell phone. Maybe he left a message.


"Boo!" he joked, standing right behind her. She jumped so hard, she dropped her phone.


"Shit, Nick!" she snapped, bending over to pick up the phone.


"Hmmm, not exactly the response I was looking for." He smiled, grinning ear to ear. He held open his arms, and she went into them, feeling his arms tighten in the embrace. "I've missed you so much." He groaned in her ear. She tightened her arms around him as well.


"I've missed you, too." She said, her voice surprising her with its sudden emotion.


Nick leaned back, cupped her face and gently brought his lips to her. His kiss was warm and endearing, with a slight hint of the promise of what their reunion held. It was all Lexie could do to keep from melting into his arms, but instead, she planted her hands on his waist to keep herself upright.


"Let's go." He whispered, his breath falling on her cheek.


Hand in hand they moved through LAX, turning a few heads but no one approached them. They picked up his one bag from luggage and worked their way through the crowds to the garage.


"You only have the one bag?" Lexie asked as he hefted it over his shoulder as they left the air-conditioned concourse.


"Yeah, Howie got me and B a hotel suite. They do the laundry."


"You're not staying with AJ?" She asked as they waited for an elevator to ride to the garage level where Lexie had parked the car.


"Naw, we got tired of each other." Nick said. They entered the elevator with about a dozen other people.


"You guys fight?"


"No, just too close of quarters. He's incredibly fussy." Nick said.


"Mom says he got that way since he had Alex." Lexie said.


"You talk to your mom lately?"


"No, not in a couple days. I've been really busy." She sighed.


"Really, doing what?"


Damn!


"With CJ and the party, work and. . .oh! Gosh, I totally forgot to even tell you." Lexie said with a snap of her fingers. "I can't believe it."


The elevator doors opened, and they headed out into the garage.


"What? Doesn't have to do with the car, does it?" He asked.


"No, no. Victoria Winslow's producer called me this weekend after the trial. Wants to interview me." She said, pulling the keys to the black 4-door BMW. The door locks popped, the trunk opened, and the car started.


"What?! You!? Wait a second, how could you forget to tell me that?" he said, hefting his bag into the trunk.


"Uh. . .excuse me?" A third voice cut in. Nick and Lexie turned to the woman standing there. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to interrupt, but. . .uh. . .Nick. . .could I have an autograph?" She asked politely, holding out a pen and paper to him.


"Oh, sure." He smiled, taking her pen and paper. "What's your name?"


"Wendy. Wendy Chen." She smiled for him.


"Have you met my wife? This is Lexie." He said, bowing his head over the paper with the pen. The women shook hands and said hello.


"There you go." He said, handing everything back to her.


"Great, thanks!" she beamed. "So, is there really going to be a new album?"


"Yep, just home on a break from recording." He said.


"Do you have a title? When's it coming out?" she asked.


"Don't have those details settled yet." He said, "But I'm sure you'll hear about it."


"The fan club here in L.A. is keeping everyone up to date." Lexie said, digging through her purse. She handed the fan a business card. "That's the phone number and email. Drop Karen or Niki a line."


"I sure will! Thanks! I can't wait!" Wendy said excitedly. "Thanks again, Nick. Thank you, Lexie."


Nick looked over at Lexie, as the fan left with her new treasure.


"Tell me again how you got an interview with Victoria Winslow?" He smiled, reaching over and effortlessly closing the trunk.

Chapter 22 by old_archive

Nick drove out of the airport garage and made his way through the city to CJ's school. Lexie told him about her phone call with Victoria Winslow's producer, Mark Nelson, and how they wanted to discuss the trial. Lexie seemed fine as she discussed the potential interview, but he wondered when she was going to tell him about the car.


When they arrived at the school, Nick parked the car, and they walked into the school office to sign in. They headed for the playground to find CJ's class that was out for recess. CJ spotted them first and came running up to them. She threw herself into his arms and, squealed with delight. Nick held her close and spun her around, each of them sharing a quick kiss.


"You miss your old Dad?" He asked her as she hugged him tightly.


"Yes, I did!" She said as she leaned away from him and stuck out her tongue. "Can we go home now? I've only got one more class? I don't have to go, do I? Are we going to move to Tampa now?"


"Hang on!" Nick laughed, setting her down. "Yes, we can go now, but I have to check you out of school. No, we aren't moving yet. Have you and Lexie found a house yet?"


"No, they've all been kind of ugly and old." CJ sighed, looking up at Lexie. Lexie nodded in agreement.


"Well, you keep looking." He stood up and tapped her nose. "Let's go sign you out of school."


"Yeah!" CJ cheered, running ahead of them.



Nick drove CJ and Lexie home, but they stopped several times for errands. Lexie claimed she hadn't had time earlier and they just had to be done today. It was nearly two hours later before they actually even started heading home. On that final leg home, Nick noticed Lexie constantly checking her watch. He simply reached over and took her hand.


"Good to have you home, Mr. Carter." The guard at the gate said, letting them pass with a wave.


"So, what are we going to do tonight?" Nick asked as he drove up the winding hills to the house.


"You guys are going to do a lot of kissing." CJ groaned, throwing herself across the backseat.


"Not until you go to bed." Nick teased her.


"Oh, yeah, right." She giggled.


"You have homework?"


"Yes, but can I stay home from school tomorrow? " She whined.


"No, I don't think so." Nick said, "But I'll help with your homework if you like."


"Oh, okay."


"You got to go to work?" Nick asked Lexie.


"Yes, but I'm about caught up. I might be able to leave early."


"That's okay. I could use the sleep myself." He smiled as they drove through the housing development.


Nick pulled up to the corner of the street they lived on and an old beater of a truck came roaring down the street at them. The occupants, two rather large laborers, laid on the horn and waved as they drove past.


"Someone you know?" Nick asked innocently.


"No." She answered without hesitation, but inside she was praying. God, please let that mean they got done with the Ferrari.



Bobby and Steve, from the auction house, had finished the Ferrari, and Nick pretended that he didn't notice how perfectly clean it was when he pulled into the garage two spots down from it. They simply unloaded his luggage and headed inside.


"You hungry?" Lexie asked Nick as CJ ran upstairs to change out of her uniform.


"Starved." He turned and put an arm around her waist, pulling her close and kissing her. "And I know what's on the menu." He murmured.


"Well, I know how much you like Cook's dumplings." She smiled. "I had her make us some."


"She here?"


"No, I sent her home early." Lexie smiled as Nick kissed her again more passionately.


"I thought you guys were gonna wait." CJ groaned from the top of the stairs.


"Okay, okay! You got your homework out?" He asked as he let go of Lexie.


"No! I want to play a little, can I, Dad?" She said with a stomp of her foot.


"If you ask nice and stop that foot thing you got going on these days." He warned.


"Please?"


"Please, what?"


"Please, can I play a little while before I do my homework?"


"Yes, you may." Nick smiled. She ran off, down the hall down the back stairs and out to the playground with a slam of the back door.


"Good Lord!" He laughed. "She been giving you that much trouble?"


"No, she's been fine. Really." She reassured him. "Give me that so I can clean it up, and why don't you go play with her." She reached for his bag.


"I'd rather play with you, little girl." He teased, pulling her back into his arms and burying his face into her neck. "I have missed you so much." He groaned, pressing his body into hers.


"I've missed you, too." She agreed, letting herself melt into his arms, his bag forgotten on the floor. They stumbled back down the hallway towards the garage and into the laundry room to the left. Once inside, he kicked the door shut and pulled her completely into his arms. She eagerly lifted her legs around his waist, and he hoisted her on top of the washing machine. He ground into her, and she gasped and moaned at the intimacy she had missed.


"We'd better stop." Lexie panted, pushing him away.


"I don't want to stop." He said, moving back in.


"I don't either, but CJ is out there." She groaned as his lips found her tender neck again. "Nick, please." He stopped and looked into her face. She captured his face in her hands and kissed him gently. "Later, I promise."



It was not a quiet evening home. The phone rang constantly all through dinner. When Nick and CJ went upstairs to do her homework, Lexie fielded all of the calls.


"Just checking to see if everything is alright." Howie chuckled on the phone.


"It's great, Dad. Thanks for letting him come home early."


"Well, he's been no use to me."


"Why? What happened?"


"Maybe I'd better let him tell you. . ."


"Dad. . ."


"It really isn't my place. . ."


"Since when?"


"Oh, it's nothing really. He and AJ had a few scrapes. Nothing we didn't see in the early days." Howie sighed.


"Oh, that. He said AJ was being too fussy. They weren't arguing over me, were they?"


"No, no! Strictly the album." Howie said quickly, wanting her to know it wasn't about her.


"Hey, can I talk to Mom?" Lexie asked. She heard Howie chuckle over the phone.


"I'll go get her." He smiled, getting out of the desk chair in his den.


Lexie and her mom talked until after CJ finished her homework and Nick put her to bed.


"You ready to come to bed?" Nick whispered as he leaned into the den.


"Just a sec." Lexie said, then returned to her mom.


"You need to go?" Leah asked.


"Yeah." Lexie smiled.


"I understand. It's pretty late here." Leah said.


"What are you two doing up?" Lexie asked. "Oh, never mind. I don't want to know."



Nick was in the shower when Lexie got upstairs. She quickly undressed and joined him. He was all over her before she even stepped all the way inside. Her laughter turned to moans as he pressed her against the moist tiles. His body melted into hers and he took her. He chanted her name, and he lost complete control as she clawed at his body, begging for more. He prayed this ecstasy would never end.


"How did I ever leave you?" He panted as he surged on. "God, I've missed you so much."


The warm water cascaded down both of their bodies as he held her to the wall, her legs around his waist. She could feel each tile pressed into her back, but she didn't care. Nothing could distract her from the feel of him moving within her.


"Please, Nick, please don't stop." She cried out feeling her body react to his long absence. "I've missed you, too."


Their lovemaking consumed them as they struggled to completely satisfy themselves and each other. They came in a fever-heightened state, dropping to the floor of the large shower gasping for breaths.


"I don't want to leave you." He whispered. The water was running down his face, keeping his hair slicked back.


Tears suddenly poured from her, and she buried her face into his wet chest. She had missed him so much, and she couldn't pretend to be brave and strong another minute. She didn't have to, because he was really here.


Nick helped her from the shower, and she was giggling by the time he had the water off and was teasing her with a towel. He wrapped her up and pulled her into his arms and kissed her with a smile.


"I can't tell you how much I've missed you."


"I know. Trust me, I know." She smiled up at him. "I can't believe you're really here."


Her hands trailed down his shoulders and down his arms.


"Let's go in the bedroom. We've got so much to talk about." He smiled.


"I know!" she laughed.


They talked for hours, like two best friends playing catch up, sitting cross-legged on the settee and talking until the sun was almost up. Reluctantly, they went to bed and settled in for the last couple hours of the morning, cuddled in each other's arms.



"Oh my freakin' God! It's Nick Carter!" Norma whispered, leaning across the podium toward Lexie. She looked up and smiled as he walked across the warehouse toward her. "Damn, he's even better looking in person." Norma added.


"That ain't Nick Carter, that's my date." Lexie chuckled, putting her pens away.


"Well, he sure looks like Nick Carter." Norma smiled.


"I know, he gets that all the time." Lexie smiled back, leaving Norma to meet him half way. Nick took her into his arms and kissed her.


"Ready for lunch?" he smiled.


"Yep, you have perfect timing."


"So I've been told." He grinned.


"Come on, I'll introduce you around."


Lexie took Nick all around the warehouse and introduced him. He met her crew and even the two guys he remembered leaving the house the night before; obviously the two guys who detailed the Ferrari. They seemed rather smug to Nick, but he didn't let on he had any idea anything was up. The Ferrari was the one thing she never confessed during their midnight talk last night.


They had lunch at a local deli and then he headed home to an empty house. Cook had gone shopping, and it still wasn't time to pick up CJ. He changed into some swim trunks and lazily wasted the afternoon in the pool. Cook returned in time to see him get out and then chastise him for dripping water through the house because he forgot to get towels.


The phone rang by the bed and he threw his trunks in the bathroom, before falling naked across the bed to answer it.


"Hello?"


"You are home."


"Hello, Mother." He sighed.


"I had to find out from Howie that you had left Orlando."


"Sorry."


"Are you coming by to see me?"


"I guess. I. . ."


"Good, I'll have dinner for you and CJ, then."


"Well, Lexie. . ."


Click.


"Bitch." He muttered as he looked at the receiver and then hung up the phone. He dialed Lexie's cell phone, because he figured she would on her way to pick up CJ.


"Hello?"


"Hey, baby."


"Hey. What's up?" She asked.


"Mom wants us to have dinner over there."


"I'm sure you and CJ will have a wonderful time."


"You're invited."


"You're funny."


"But you are coming, aren't you?"


"Of course, and miss a chance to piss her off?"


"I wish you two got along."


"You don't even get along." Lexie chuckled. "Same story, Nick, and its never going to change. I can't stop being AJ's daughter, and I'm not going to stop being in love with you."


"I'm sorry." He muttered.


"It's not your fault. It's not my fault. It's her fault for making the situation unbearable. For your and CJ's sake, I'll behave."


"I know, and I love you for that."


"So, what have you been doing all day?"


"Just swimming."


"You check the email for the real estate agent? She sends me something almost everyday."


"No, I've just been relaxing."


"Well, that's good. I'm glad. I'm about leave here, get CJ, and come home. You need anything?"


"Nope." He smiled, rolling to his back. "I'm naked, though."


Nick heard Lexie laugh aloud. "Well, I'm sure that's a sight to see."


"I like to think so." He laughed back.


"I should be there in an hour or so. Be dressed, okay?"


"If I must." He sighed dramatically.


Lexie and CJ were home in an hour, and Nick sat with CJ as she did her homework while Lexie took a shower and changed for dinner. He helped CJ pick out something clean and brushed out her golden locks, braiding them neatly down her back.


"Dad?"


"Hmm?" he hummed, putting the last clip in her hair as she did her homework.


"I'm glad you're home." She said softly. He slipped his arms around her and held her close.


"I'm glad to be home, sweetheart."


"Can we do something while you're home?" She asked, nestled in his embrace.


"Like what?"


"I don't know, just something." She shrugged.


"We used to go to San Diego and see the whales." He suggested. "We could take a short flight down there. . ."


"Can we take the Prowler?"


"That's a long drive for that old car. Besides, I don't think Lexie can spare too much time away from work."


"Oh." She shrugged. "Can't just you and me go?"


"We can't leave Lexie out."


"You said once that you would always be there for me."


"I am." He said, straightening up. "I'll always be here for you, CJ, but Lexie is a part of our family now."


"I know." She shrugged.


"What's going on?" he asked her. "Is something wrong?"


"Can I stay home tonight? Will Cook stay?"


"Cook is already gone for the day. Don't you want to go to Grandma's tonight?" CJ was suspiously quiet. "What's going on? C, you can tell me anything, you know that."


"Grandma doesn't like Lexie very much." She said quietly.


Nick let out the breath he had been holding. "Has Grandma said anything to you?"


"No, not really."


"But you've heard some things."


"Yeah. They had a big fight at your party, and when I stay over there she says some things to other people." CJ said quietly. "Grandma and Aunt Jill had a big fight once, and Uncle Aaron said he didn't want to hear it from either one of them. Even Grandma and Aunt BJ fight about it."


"Honey, I'm sorry you had to hear all that." Nick sighed, realizing he would have to confront his mother about this. "I guess I can't lie and tell you they do like each other, because you kind of already know they don't. Lexie doesn't try to fight with Grandma, but some times Grandma says things that aren't very nice and Lexie just gets angry at her. I don't think either one of them should argue like they do, but unfortunately I can't tell either one of them what to do."


"What are we going to do?" CJ asked, sounding so desperate for some kind of resolution.


"You know, I love them both the best I know how and hope that someday they will get along." Nick sighed. "I know it's hard, but you love your Grandma, right? And you love Lexie, right?"


CJ nodded "yes" to both of his questions.


"Well, I know they both love you and so if you keep loving them, then they will learn to love each other because you will have taught them how."


"You think so?"


"I sure pray so." He smiled. "Just try not to let Grandma make you feel bad about liking Lexie."


"I know."


"Does Lexie say bad things about Grandma?"


"No, not really."


"But you know she's thinking them?"


"Yeah." CJ sighed.


"Well, there isn't anything we can do about what Lexie is thinking." Nick smiled, hugging CJ. "There isn't anything anyone can do about what a woman is thinking."


"Daddy!" She giggled against his chest. She pushed away slightly and looked up into his face. "Can we still go do something?"


"Just you and me? Yeah, I think so." He smiled.


"Can we have a date and go to the movies tomorrow night? It's Friday!" she smiled.


"You and me? You bet." He smiled back.


"You think Lexie will be mad?"


"Naw, she'll probably be reading some book." He shrugged, hoping that Lexie would understand.

Chapter 23 by old_archive

Lexie more than understood, she encouraged it and was grateful for the opportunity to have some time alone. She had so much to catch up on from finding a new house to trying to get hold of Victoria Winslow's producer, with whom she was still playing phone tag. He left his home number at the office and told her to call him Friday evening when he would be at home.


Driving over to Nick's mother's house, Lexie couldn't help but notice the contrast in her own family life. As dysfunctional as other people thought her childhood was, she never had to dress for dinner at her parents' house, but here she was in suit with heels just going over for dinner.


Luckily for them, everyone was there to see Nick; Aaron, Jill, his sisters, and all of the grandkids that were in town. Everyone settled down to what was panning out to be a pleasant evening. During dessert, Aaron called out for everyone's attention. He stood up with the brightest smile Lexie had ever seen on his face, and Jill was glowing as well. . .glowing? Was it?


"Well, everyone, we have an announcement." He beamed. "Jill and I are pregnant. We're having a baby."


The house erupted with laughter and good cheer, with everyone hugging and congratulating them. Once dessert was over, Jill was quick to pull Lexie outside onto one of the many verandas overlooking the gardens.


"I can't believe it was so easy." Jill giggled in Lexie's ear as she hugged her.


"I'm so happy for you, Jill." Lexie smiled, tears brimming in her eyes. She tried to blink them away before Jill saw them, but her sister-in-law pulled her back into her arms.


"Your time will come, I promise." She whispered, and Lexie lost control of a little of the emotion that was caught in her throat.


"Thank you, Jillie." She whispered. She pushed herself out of Jill's arms, and Jill wiped her cheeks. "So, what are you hoping for?" Lexie asked with a smile.


"Anything!" Jill laughed.


"That's a good answer, Mom." Jane laughed, coming outside and hugging her mom's waist. "But we want a boy."


"You do, huh?" Lexie laughed.


"One as handsome as my Dad." Jane beamed.


"I don't know if the world is ready for any more of these Carter men." Lexie laughed.


"You two just don't want to share." Lexie heard Nick giggle behind her. He joined them outside, slipping his arms around Lexie's waist and resting his head on her shoulder to talk to Jill and Jane.


"I know I don't." Jill laughed.


"I'm not." Lexie agreed, turning her face to share a kiss with him. Aaron joined them, hugging and kissing both of his girls.


"You know where CJ is?" Aaron asked Jane.


"She's in the game room with Bobbie and Stephanie." Jane said, of BJ's two girls.


"Why don't you go play with them?" He suggested.


"Uh oh, the grown ups want to talk." Jane said with a roll of her eyes as she left the group.


"This is great news. You still going on that vacation?" Nick asked.


"Hell, yeah!" Jill laughed, "Before I get too huge to travel. Jane can still stay with you when she gets back, right, Lexie?"


"No problem." Lexie agreed.


"She doesn't want to spend those last two weeks were in Malta with Grandmother, and BJ and Angel live too far to ask them to drive into town every day to take her to school."


"I know, and it's no problem." Lexie smiled.


"When are you heading back?" Aaron asked Nick.


"Way too soon." Nick sighed.


"Can you kids please come in here so we can finish dessert?" Nick's mother asked from the French doors.


"Good God, I don't think I can eat another bite." Aaron groaned once Jane was out of earshot.


Everyone happily agreed, leaving the night air to go inside and settle back down.


Talk around the table was happy and all about babies. Nick was scared to death that Lexie wouldn't handle it every well. It was too soon after the trial and her public confession of her feelings to press her about wanting to try again. That topic and the Ferrari were the only two things they hadn't touched since he had been home.


"So, little CJ, you want to spend the weekend with your grandma?" Jane asked from her place at the head of the table.


"I can't, grandma, I've got a date!" CJ announced proudly.


"A date?!" Aaron asked with a laugh.


"Yeah, me and my Dad are going out and we're going to see a movie and have ice cream." CJ smiled. Everyone at the table laughed at CJ's announcement.


"You can't go on a date with your Dad!" Jane protested. "You have to have a boyfriend."


"I don't want a boyfriend!" CJ declared.


"That's my girl." Nick smiled, causing more adult laughter.


"What are you going to be doing?" BJ asked Lexie.


"I'll be at home, darning socks." Lexie joked.


"Just like a proper wife." BJ's husband, Paul, joked.


"There's nothing proper about her." Jane muttered.


"Mother." Nick warned.


"I've got some research projects going on, including the one about the ring I got Nick for his birthday." Lexie continued on with her conversation, ignoring Nick and Jane.


"It's really beautiful." Jill added.


"How far have you gotten?" Paul asked.


"Well, outside of the family tale of the owners mysteriously disappearing. . ." Lexie began, telling the whole story, weaving the tale in the hope that everyone would be diverted from Jane's comments and Nick's brewing anger.


"That's unbelievable." Paul smiled from across the table.


"I know, that's why we're still working on it." Lexie smiled back, thankful for his ever-present kindness. Nick's hand had slipped over hers, in view of everyone, and he squeezed some reassurance into her. She thought she would choke on her words as she clung to his hand.


"So, big plans for you Friday night." Paul teased her, and she smiled with a shrug.


"If she stays home." Jane added.


"That's enough!" Nick said, getting to his feet.


"Nick, no!" Lexie insisted, trying to get him to sit back down.


"Lexie, get CJ and meet me at the car." He said sternly.


"Daddy, don't!" CJ protested.


"Now!" He snapped. "Go to the car with Lexie, CJ. We'll talk about this later. I need to talk to my mother."


"CJ, come on." Lexie stood and held out her hand. CJ started crying and scrambled out of her chair next to her grandmother. She ran to Lexie and grabbed her hand before they left together.


"Now look what you've done." Jane declared.


"Would you like to do this in public or private?"


"I'm sure that whatever you have to say can be said in front of the family, Nickolas."


"CJ will not becoming to visit you until I return from Orlando."


"What?!" Jane gasped.


"Nick. . ." Aaron began.


"I had the most heart-wrenching talk with her tonight about how much you hate Lexie AND you go through no lengths to disguise it. She hears what you say about my wife. . ." Nick began. "I won't allow you to hurt either one of them anymore."


"Nickolas! You can't just stop me from seeing my grandchild!" Jane declared.


"Once we move to Tampa, you'll be lucky if you ever see her again. " Nick yelled back, turning his back on her and heading for the door. "Don't call my house again!"



Nick was furious when he reached the car. He dropped into the driver's seat and raced out of the driveway.


"I'm so sorry, Nick." Lexie stammered her apology.


"It's not your fault." He said sharply.


"It's all my fault! I shouldn't have said anything! Stop, Daddy!" CJ cried from the back, pounding on the back of his seat. "I want to go back! I don't want Grandma to be mad at me! Daddy, stop! Go back!"


"No, CJ! We're going home!" Nick snapped, refusing to yield to her sobs.


When they pulled into the garage, CJ ran from the car and up to her room. Lexie grabbed Nick's arm as he opened the car door and pulled him back into his seat.


"Nick, what's going on? What's gotten into you?" Lexie asked.


"I just got tired of her fucking shit!" He yelled.


"Nick, she does that all the time. . ."


"That doesn't make it right, Lexie. Don't let anyone treat you like that, not even my mother. God, I'm just sorry I've put you through it." He groaned.


"I've held my own with your mother."


"Not according to Brian."


"Brian?! Brian?! What did he tell you?!" She demanded.


"He told me what you said the night of the party, when you drove him to the beach after me and Fatima left."


"He said he wouldn't say anything. . ." Lexie gasped.


"He's my best friend, Lexie, and he cares deeply about you. You're my wife, and I have the right to know things like that."


"She's your mother!" Lexie said.


"I don't care about that bitch, I haven't for years. She robbed me blind as a kid and just about fucked me up for life. If I hadn't broken away from her 30 years ago, I'd still be messed up, and now she's doing it to CJ and to you!" Nick's voice rose with his anger and frustration. His body settled heavily into the leather seat. He finally let go of the steering wheel to let his hands fall into his lap. He began twisting his wedding ring around his finger. "I only kept a relationship with her because of CJ. I hadn't even talked to her until CJ was born. You two are the most important people in my life."


"Nick, I tried. . ."


"I know you did, and I appreciate it. You were right this morning. Nothing is going to make her happy, so I'm not even going to bother trying anymore." He sighed. "Besides, it doesn't even matter. I told them about Tampa."


"You what?!" She gasped.


"I got pissed off. . ."


"That was obvious, but that doesn't give you the right to blab our business all over the place!" She snapped, finally getting out of the car. Nick sighed again and got out of the car as well, following her inside.


"I'm sorry." He said, following her up the stairs. "Lexie, listen to me." He took hold of her arm and stopped her halfway to their bedroom. She raised her hand to rub her eyes and sigh.


"Things got out of hand, that's all." His voice was quietly apologizing to her as he tried to explain.


"I know. I'm sorry, too." She said, lifting her eyes to his. He leaned in and kissed her quickly. "Your tough audience is down the hall. You better go talk to CJ." Lexie finally said.


"Wait up for me?" He asked gently.


"Yes." She agreed. He gently caressed her cheek with her fingertips. She turned and entered their bedroom, and she heard his footsteps head down the hall to CJ's room. She lifted her hand to trace the trail of his touch on her face.



"CJ?" Nick asked after knocking on her door softly.


"Leave me alone!" Came her muffled cry. Nick opened the door and headed inside to find CJ face down in her pillows.


"CJ, we have to talk." He told her, moving a chair next to her frilly canopied bed. It's pinkness swallowing her whole. He smiled to himself as the fleeting memory of shopping trip when they had picked it out came to mind.


"I don't want to talk to you!"


"I know. No one does right now." He sighed, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees. He rubbed his eyes and forced himself to continue.


"I shouldn't have said anything!" CJ cried.


"CJ, please. I already knew Grandma and Lexie didn't get along. I asked them both to behave, and they have tried because they love us both very much." Nick began, but he didn't know how to finish. How could he tell her that he believed she was probably better off without her beloved grandmother? How could he tell her that he had despised the woman for years?


"I don't want to see anyone!"


"You're not breaking our date, are you?" He asked. She looked up from her pillows and over at him.


"No." she sniffled.


"I'm glad." He smiled. "I'm sorry this has happened, CJ. I really am."


"I know." She agreed, sitting up and wiping her eyes with the back of her hands. "I know Grandma says bad things about Lexie. I wish she wouldn't."


"I know." Nick nodded.


"I really love Lexie."


"I know you do, honey. It'll be okay." He reassured her. CJ climbed off the bed and into his arms, snuggling into his tight embrace.


"I just miss you, Daddy. I miss when it was just you and me."


"I miss it, too, sometimes, but I love Lexie and I wouldn't trade this time for anything in the world."


"When can we move to Tampa?"


"Soon, I promise."



"Lexie?" Nick asked, entering the dimly lit room.


"I'm out here." Her voice came from the balcony.


He joined her and found her dressed in her robe ready for bed. He put his arms around her and kissed her.


"How did it go?"


"She's torn up. Torn loyalties. Right now, she doesn't want to see Mother."


"I guess that makes three of us." Lexie sighed. "I wish it didn't have to be like this."


"Me, either." Nick agreed, "But she's the one who laid down the terms."


"What did you say when you left?"


"That she wasn't to call the house or see CJ until I get back."


"All of that, Nick? Are you sure?" Lexie gasped.


"Yes. I've warned her before. . ." He stopped speaking when he was interrupted by the phone. He went inside the bedroom to answer it then sat down to talk to whoever was on the other end.


Lexie stayed outside until he was done. He hung up and headed into the bathroom to get ready for bed. Lexie closed up the French doors when she saw that he was finished and got into bed to wait for him.


"Aaron?" She asked as he shut the lights in the bathroom and came to bed. He gave his hair one final twist to keep it out of his way while he slept, turned off the bedroom lamp and settled into bed.


"Yeah. He's just trying to keep the peace."


"He and Jill fight with your mother all the time."


"He doesn't despise her like I do." Nick said. "Lex, I hadn't spoken to her for years until CJ was born and even then she contacted me."


"I know." Lexie said quietly.


"Mom and Aaron, they have a different relationship. I don't know, maybe because I was the oldest and the most successful, I made an easier target."


"You guys are family."


"I know, and me and the other kids are close, it's just her. It's been worse since Dad died. It's like she's out of control now."


"I'm sorry, Nick."


"Not all of us had great parents." He sighed.


"Ditto." She sighed with him. "At least I got some good ones at one point."


"Amen to that." He smiled in the dark.


"I didn't check the email tonight, you check it at all?"


"No, why?"


"See if that real estate agent found anything yet."


"Ready to move back to Florida?"


"I'm ready to move back home."

Chapter 24 by old_archive

Nick heard Lexie's squeal all the way upstairs. He only hoped the neighbors hadn't heard it, too. He was still in bed, trying to catch his breath after their early morning love making. He always loved it when she woke him like that, her body and her love covering him like a blanket. Now she was squealing, and he wasn't even in the room.


Suddenly, the bedroom door flew open, and he sat straight up in bed.


"It's perfect, Nick! It's perfect!" She laughed, running and jumping on the bed. He scrambled to keep himself covered in case CJ walked in. She landed breathlessly next to him, her tiny tee-shirt and shorts barely covering her still sleep-warmed body. "It's the perfect house, Nick. It has plenty of bedrooms, it has a boat launch, beach rights, a pool and pool house AND a guesthouse. It's got the most beautiful light oak floors and huge windows and tons of natural lights. It's perfect, Nick, can we buy it, can we?!"


"I don't know. . ." He stammered.


"It's in Tampa, but that's only an hour or so from Orlando. Please, please, please, please, please, please. . ." She begged.


"Honey, I. . ." He continued to stammer.


"What's going on?" CJ asked, rubbing her eyes as she came into their bedroom.


"It's the perfect house, CJ!" Lexie said eagerly.


"It has the boat thing?"


"Yes, a boat launch, beach rights, a pool, pool house, guest house, and floor-to-ceiling windows. . ."


"Wow." CJ's blue eyes grew big as Lexie jumped off the bed and ran to her.


"Let's go see it, you wanna see it? Nick! Get dressed!" She yelled, as she ran out of the room with CJ. Nick blinked his eyes and then looked at the alarm clock as it went off.


What the hell just happened?



The house was deliriously perfect, according to Lexie, and CJ was pretty impressed, too. Nick had to agree that was really very nice. It was bright and airy, very much what they wanted, and it seemed to hold the promise of capturing more of their essence in it. This L.A. house still had too much of a bachelor/single dad vibe to it.


Lexie was on the phone instantly and made an appointment to see it on Saturday, making Nick fly back a couple days early. Nothing could contain her happiness as she showered and got ready for work. She couldn't stop talking about it, and started to get CJ pretty excited about it, too. By the time she left, even Nick was excited to see it. She gave him a list of chores, so they could fly out that evening to see it in the morning.


Saying Lexie was happy, was an understatement. She was floating the rest of the day, but her joyful mood suddenly evaporated into a jumble of emotions that collided in her chest when she was told Marty Portlowe, the private investigator, was on the phone.


"Hey, honey." He laughed in the phone.


"Hi, Marty. What's up?" She asked, trying to sound casual.


"I got that info for you. About that James woman, the little girl's mother."


Oh God!


"She's living in New York, and not very well. I got some pictures, it's a dump. She's got cancer all right and has only a few months to live, according to her medical records. I don't know what money she's living off of because she's not getting welfare or anything. She's not getting any child support for that kid, either. His name is Scott Thomas James, and no father is listed on the birth certificate."


"Any idea who the father is?"


"None. Doesn't even say in her lawyer's files."


"Can't the state make her tell them? Especially since she's dying?"


"No. I guess the kid will just go into foster care. He's four now. He'll be five next January. January 9th."


"Good God." Lexie sighed.


"What?"


"That's my father's birthday." She said. "AJ's birthday."


"Wow." Marty said.


"What about her family? Her parents, siblings. . .?"


"No clue. Christine James is not her real name."


"It's not? Is it professional or something?"


"As far as I can tell, it's the only one she's ever used."


"I wonder if Nick knew."


"Couldn't tell ya' that, hon."


"I know, I know. So, you have her address and everything, right?"


"Yeah."


"Good. Can you messenger it over to the auction house? I don't want it going to the house. Anything else?"


"Not really. She's worked as a model her adult life, was modeling when she hooked up with your. . .er...the kid's father and then she left him, went back to New York to be with this guy. . ."


"What?! What guy?"


"No idea."


"Any clue why she left in the first place? Left Nick in California?"


"I can only guess she went to be with that other guy."


"Could he be boy's father?"


"Naw. It didn't last long with them. Only a couple months." Marty said. "Then she did kinda drop out of the scene."


"God, I wish I knew why she left." Lexie groaned.


"Well. . ."


"What? You know something?"


"I don't know if this means anything. . ."


"Tell me! What?!"


"She had a procedure, about a month after leaving."


"A procedure? An abortion?"


"Yeah."


"Oh my god, was it Nick's child?"


"I don't know, I don't know that! According to my sources, he and her weren't too close after the girl was born. They had separate rooms. Maybe it was some other guy's and that's why she left. Maybe he did something. . ."


"No, Nick would never force a woman." Lexie said sharply.


"I didn't mean that. Maybe there was still something between the two of them, who knows?"


"If she aborted Nick's child, he would never forgive her. Oh my god." She groaned, dropping her head into her hands.


"Honey, I don't have much else. I'll send the file over to you, okay? You want me to keep digging?"


"Yes! Yes! I have to find out who the boy's father is!" Lexie's head snapped up. "You keep looking and I'll send payment tonight to cover your fees."


"Girlie, don't worry about that right now. Let me get some more stuff. . ."


"Please, Marty, I'm counting on you." She pleaded.



Christine might have aborted Nick's child.


The thought disturbed Lexie to no end. If it were true, what would she do if Nick ever found out? What if the child wasn't Nick's? What if she was having an affair while she was still in California? Somehow though, deep inside, Lexie knew that probably wasn't the case. The way Nick described her, she was too disturbed to cheat on him and be careful enough that he wouldn't find out. Then again, maybe Nick knew all along. That disturbed her even further.


Perhaps she loved him too much to see what might have actually happened between Nick and Christine. Maybe Nick was lying to her for some reason. . .no, that was ridiculous. Nick wouldn't lie to her. She would know. Nick had told her he never really loved Christine and their relationship was merely "comfortable". Lexie had always guessed that it hadn't been enough for Christine, so she left him. Lexie just couldn't rationalize why she left CJ behind as well. Relationships between men and women don't work out, but seldom did the mother leave behind the children. Fathers, yes. Lexie knew that one by heart. Howie Dorough and Nick Carter had taught her that not all fathers leave.


With a groan, she leaned over the steering wheel as she waited for the red light to change. She was on her way to pick up CJ, and the file that Marty sent her was locked securely in her desk. She turned and stared at the phone sitting on the seat next to her. She wished she had someone to talk to, someone to call, but there wasn't anyone who would understand. No one would understand what she was doing or the feelings inside her that were driving her to seek out Christine and to make some kind of resolution. Staring at the face of the insanity herself, she barely understood it.


The light changed, and the gentle honk behind her startled her out of her daydream. She took her foot off the brake, put the car in gear and headed through the intersection.



Nick helped CJ into some casual clothes and then into bed. She had been through this enough times to just go to sleep and her Dad would carry her to the airplane and she'd wake up in Orlando. Red eyes were like that. The excitement of the new house and sudden trip to Orlando pushed aside any thoughts of Nick and CJ's "date". Lexie had joked that it was nice of CJ not to be upset because her dad "stood her up." Nick tucked her in with a story and a kiss then headed down to the den where Lexie was answering emails. In the dim light of the room, the screen bounced an eerie light off of her dusky skin.


"You reading it or trying to stare holes into it?" He teased lightly as he came to sit on the edge of the desk next to her.


"Oh! It's just a dissertation from Aria, like always. I was going to just tell her I'd call her when I got there." She said, typing and sending the email.


"Baby, are you okay?" He asked, his voice thick with concern.


"I'm fine, just a little tired, that's all." She smiled as she logged the computer off.


"You want to go raid the 'fridge? You didn't eat dinner."


"No, I'm not hungry."


"I don't like it when you don't eat."


"I know, but I'm fine. . .okay, I'll go have a sandwich, okay?" She chuckled, getting to her feet and taking both of his hands. "And I'll eat it just for you."


He pulled her close and kissed her.


"Are you having second thoughts about Tampa?"


"Hell, no!" She laughed. "I really am just tired. I think it's the late nights with you lately."


"Well, we have a little time before our midnight flight." He smiled, pulling her into his arms.


"What about my sandwich?" She mused.


"I have something you could eat." He smiled then laughed at her groan of disbelief.



A hired driver took them to the airport, and they moved through LAX quite easily. Nick carried CJ onto the plane and strapped her into the window seat, Lexie took the middle one and he took the aisle. After a couple of drinks, Nick relaxed and they both fell asleep; tired from a long week and a quick round of lovemaking waiting for midnight to come.


Morning was dawning in Orlando when they landed. Weather had forced a layover in Dallas, but they still arrived in plenty of time. Leah and Howie were on the tarmac with vans to pick them up, and nothing was going to stop Lexie's squeal as she ran from the plane into Howie's arms.


"I can't believe you guys are moving back." He smiled, holding her tightly.


"I know, I know. I'm sorry I didn't tell you myself, but we just found a house and Nick had to make all the phone calls yesterday when I was at work."


"I can't tell you how much this means to me." He whispered into her ear as he drew her in for another hug.


"I've missed you so much, Dad." She smiled, pressing her lips against his lightly bearded jaw.


"Grandpa, Grandpa, Grandpa!" CJ said, jumping up and down next to them. They stood apart, and CJ held up her arms. Howie was quick to snatch her up, but stumbled a little under her weight.


"Good grief, CJ, you must have gained 10 pounds and a whole two inches since the wedding!" Howie exclaimed.


"I have not!" She protested as he put her down.


Lexie moved from her dad to her mom as the men greeted each other. Gathering bags, they loaded up and headed toward Tampa in one van while their luggage went to Howie and Leah's house in another.


"Thanks for setting all of this up, Howie." Nick sat in the very back seat with him as the women gabbed in the front.


"No, problem. I'm just sorry the kids couldn't come."


"Well, they already had plans with their cousins, that's cool." Nick agreed. "We'll see them tonight, won't we?"


"Yeah, I made dinner reservations in town for everyone." Howie smiled.


"You did what, Howard?" Leah demanded.


"I made dinner. . ."


"I've got a roast cooking at home and now you tell me this?" She sighed with a roll of her eyes. "I can't believe this."


"I told you I'd handle everything." He said in his own defense.


"You two need to communicate better." Nick chuckled. Howie grabbed Nick's ponytail and pulled his face close to his.


"Don't get between me and the woman fighting, okay?" Howie muttered.


"We're not fighting, I'm telling you that you are wrong." Leah laughed.


"You know what my dad did?" CJ asked, pulling on Leah's sleeve.


"What, Honey?" she smiled.


"He stood me up last night. On my date." CJ smiled smugly.


"He what?!" Leah gasped playfully.


"We had a date, but we didn't go."


"You stood up the pretty little lady?" Howie demanded playfully, still hanging onto Nick's hair.


"I didn't mean to. We had the flight and the house. . ." Nick jokingly begged.


"I think you had a date with someone else." Howie winked at Lexie.


"I'd never do a thing like that." Nick protested.


"Oh, I'll admit it! Don't hurt him, he was seeing me!" Lexie said dramatically. "Don't be mad at me, CJ!"


"Oh, I know how he can be." CJ play pouted. "He's a player."


The occupants of the van burst out laughing, until tears were streaming down everyone's cheeks and even their driver was trying not to cry with laughter.


"Howie, are you going to let go of Nick?" Leah asked, wiping her eyes. Howie looked over at the hair in his hand.


"I don't know. It's so nice and silky." He teased Nick, beginning to stroke it.


"Oh, knock it off." Nick groaned, snatching it away.


"It's as long as Lexie's. When are you going to get a haircut?" Howie asked.


"I'm not going to." Nick said, sticking out his tongue.


"You going to let him talk to you like that?" Leah asked.


Howie suddenly grabbed that spot between Nick's neck and shoulder. Nick let out an unearthly howl, and his body flew into uncontrollable spasms to get away from Howie's ticklish grip, leading everyone back into uncontrollable hysterics.

Chapter 25 by old_archive

"Oh, my." Leah sighed as she grabbed Lexie's hand and they walked into the house.


It was everything Lexie could have ever wanted, and she could barely speak. Maybe this was a sign; maybe everything was going the way it was supposed to.


The guesthouse was actually a guest wing to the north of the main house, but the pool house was a three-bedroom bungalow directly across from the main house on the other side of the natural stone pool. Three separate stairs went down to the beach and one of those branched off onto a boardwalk that took them to the boat launch.


Lexie and Leah walked through the six bedrooms upstairs as the men stayed downstairs and checked out the grounds. The master bedroom was furthest from the front stairs, and there was a back staircase that branched into the main house and then off to the hall to the guest wing. The front entrance opened to the bright and airy front room, which held the main staircase to the bedrooms. Two full baths were at opposite ends of the first floor and then two more upstairs, plus the one off the master bedroom. There was an office and a library on the way to the north end guest wing, while the kitchen, laundry, and garages were at the sound end of the house.


The "basement" was as open and airy as the rest of the house. It had several spare rooms that could easily be converted to a recording studio, but Nick mentioned he would like it in the loft over the garage.


All CJ wanted to know was which room was hers.


"God, this feels so right." Nick held Lexie as they looked out over the water from an upper deck. They could see family scrambling down the boardwalk to the beach.


"It's perfect, Nick." She said softly. Lexie wrapped her arms around his waist and laid her cheek against his chest. "This is our home."


It was so completely theirs and so removed from L.A. that he couldn't deny it. It was perfect for them.


"I think we'll have to sell the L.A. house." He finally confessed.


"You do?"


"I still haven't recovered from the trials. I need to call Tina, but they haven't paid it all back yet." He said quietly.


"Okay, we'll sell it, then." She agreed.


"I know you don't want to. . ." He began. "I'll try to arrange it so we don’t have to."


"I know, but we have to have this house, Nick."


A sexy little smile crossed his lips as looked down at her upturned face.


"You know, I think this is a sign. A sign that everything we've done is right." He whispered, dipping his head to kiss her temple.


"Yes, Nick. It is." She whispered back, closing her eyes and feeling his love and warmth spread through her.



"To the new Carter home!" Howie said, raising his glass of wine at dinner. Between the Doroughs, McLeans, Carters, and the spare Littrell, they easily took up the private room of the Mexican restaurant Howie had chosen.


"Here, here!" AJ echoed him.


"Congrats, you guys." Brian cheered as he lifted his glass as well.


"It's so good to have you home." Leah whispered, leaning in toward Lexie.


"Thanks, Mom." She smiled back.


Everyone settled into eating, and conversation flew around the room as forks scraped against plates and food was consumed.


"This is great!" Lexie declared around a hearty mouthful.


"Slow down, you're going to explode." Nick laughed, watching her shoveling the food in her mouth.


"Got to feed the child what she grew up on." Howie laughed at him.


"Not that damn rabbit food in California." AJ added.


"So, when are you guys moving in?" Brian asked.


"Well, we put in an offer. If they accept this weekend, it'll take about a month to work out all the details." Nick said, filling his own fork.


"You keeping the house in L.A.?"


"We're not even sure if we'll need it." Nick shrugged, sliding his fork between his lips and letting the spicy enchilada lightly burn the inside of his mouth.


"A month, huh?" Leah mused. "Just in time. . ."


"Yes, we'll take the kids while you're in Paris." Lexie chuckled, reaching for her own glass of wine.


"We get to stay in the new house! Alright!" John, Lexie's younger brother, cheered as he high-fived Tyler.


"Hang on, hang on! Before you pack to move out, your mother and I have to work out the details with Nick and Lexie." Howie announced.


"Well, I won't be working. It shouldn't be a problem. . ." Lexie shrugged.


"We'll see. We'll see." Howie said sternly, but with a smile.


"Okay, okay!" Lexie said, throwing up her hands.


Nick watched as Howie sat at the head of the table, as the patriarch of this entire family, Leah to his left and Lexie to her left. He was in his element and so was Lexie. Nick smiled at the picture before him.


It was the right decision to move back to Florida and so close to her family, because so many of them were his family, too. . .his Backstreet family.



Nick and Lexie fell into bed at Howie's house, even though Nick still had that suite with Brian. Hell, even Brian was sleeping on the couch in the den. The boys, John and Tyler, had wanted Brian and Nick to play basketball with them the next day after morning Mass.


Nick's entire day felt so surreal, he could barely grasp it. He woke up in Howie's house with Lexie's hair spread across his chest and her light breath tickling him. The entire family got up and dressed for Mass, where Howie hustled everyone to the same church Nick and Lexie had been married in.


As the doors closed behind them, the noise of the city was blocked out. And in the corners of his mind he could hear the wings of angels urging him forward. His hand in hers, she shared the rituals with him as her husband and all of them shared them as a family.


The afternoon was filled with food and play, the boys taking on Brian and Nick, with the adults having the bruises to show for it. Lexie and Leah cooked and talked as they had years ago. The meal was filling and slowed the adults to a slug's pace, and at the day's end, Nick, Lexie and Brian retired to the hotel suite, leaving CJ to play with the boys until her and Lexie's late night flight out.


"Well, I don't know about you two, but I'm pooped." Brian yawned and stretched as he headed for his room in the suite. "I'll see you in the morning, Nick. Have a good flight out tonight, Lexie, okay?"


"I will, thanks Brian." Lexie smiled as he waved and closed the door behind him.


"Time alone." Nick smiled, suddenly pulling her into his arms and kissing her.


"Not too much, I've got a late flight out tonight."


"Make love to me, baby." He murmured against her mouth, finally slipping his tongue past her lips into the promise of sweetness she offered him. "I can't bear the thought of us being apart again."


"I know, I know." She agreed as she held on to him.


They stumbled their way to his bedroom, closing the door on the rest of the world. Hot tears made their way into Nick's eyes, but he tried to will them away. Lexie kissed them dry as she touched his body and soul tenderly, preparing him for their separation. She found strength as his began to fail. Lexie only had this strength because she had finally felt as though she found her home with him. She could feel her roots taking hold on that Tampa beach already. She loved him and cared for him as he bared his heart to her through each touch of his hands on her body.


"I love you so much." He gasped, spilling himself within her confines and being held in her arms. He could no longer contain his emotions as he cried, clinging to her.


Lexie wiped his tears as they fell, hers sometimes mingling with his as they held on to their last hours together. The time came when they could no longer deny what was going to happen, and they showered and dressed together. They rode over to Howie's by 11 p.m. and picked up CJ. Nick carried a sleeping CJ to the car; Howie took Lexie in his arms as Leah followed Nick to help with the car door.


"Is he okay?" he asked her. She looked back at Nick, then at her father.


"He's a little upset, but he'll be okay." She said quietly, feeling her own body begin to tremble.


How she loves him! Howie thought.


"Bye, Dad. I'll see you in a couple weeks." Lexie said, swallowing hard. He kissed her cheek and briefly tasted the old salt there.


"You bet, little girl." He winked just for her. She tapped his nose and turned to head to the hired car. She hugged her mother, shared a few more words, and then joined Nick in the car. With a wave, they were gone.



Lexie's heart was racing as the time drew closer. Nick cuddled with a drowsy CJ as they waited for her flight to board. His face buried into her light blonde hair and Lexie’s hand was clenched in his.


The look on Nick's face was almost more than she could bear when her flight was called. He woke CJ up so she could walk onto the plane and he shared kisses as his girls turned to leave him. Lexie got CJ buckled in and she was waving to her father from the plane, although Lexie doubted Nick could see them anymore. The plane lifted off, and CJ had begun to drift off back to sleep. The flight attendant came by and offered Lexie a blanket and pillow.


"Mrs. Carter. Your husband flies with us all the time. Is there anything else I can get you?" The young woman asked her.


Lexie sighed and looked over at CJ and as the plane tore her further away from Nick, she looked up at the attendant.


"Yeah, bring me something stiff, okay?" She said sadly. Something to help her sleep and forget how much she would miss him as she moved farther away.



"Are you sure you don't want to just go home?" Norma asked, as Lexie stood slumped across the table trying to catalog some documents.


"No." Lexie sighed. She looked at her watch and it wasn't even lunch yet. She could barely operate. She let CJ stay home with Cook, after dealing with the guilt that Nick had told the staff on Friday that they would be moving from L.A. soon. She should have been there when he told them, but she had been so distracted Friday when she got home that she had barely acknowledged Cook.


Sometimes I don't know if I should be happy or not.


She had tried to apologize, but her mixed emotions got the best of her, and she had just left the house, heading to work.


I'm the evil 'new young wife' and now they are losing their jobs after 15 years.


"You look like shit." Gina mused, walking in after Norma walked out.


"Thank you, nice to see you, too." Lexie snapped.


"Okay, what happened in Tampa? You and Nick fighting?"


"No." Lexie sighed. Gina went back and closed the door. Lexie sank down into a chair and threw her feet up on the table. "Tampa was fine, I'm just missing him, that's all. That and Nick told the staff on Friday that we'd be moving, and Cook's probably pissed at me. I know they probably think it's all my fault they are out of their jobs after 15 years."


"She say if she was pissed?"


"No, but she would barely look at me."


"You sure you aren't just overreacting?"


"I don't know. Maybe."


"Why don't you go home? You can barely keep your eyes opened. You've gotten so far ahead on this estate, you'll be done in another week." Gina offered.


"No, I'll stay." Lexie declined her.


Lexie did stay and worked her whole day, but her lunch had been a two-hour nap in the car. She made it home in time to be greeted by Cook and CJ. Lexie sent CJ out to play and she sat Cook down to try to apologize, but it just came out in a jumble of tears.


"Honey, it's not your fault." Cook smiled at her. "All kids got to fly the coop, it just took him a little longer than most."


"But you've worked here for so long. . ." she sniffled.


"No, I've worked for Nick that long and well. . .I might not have to leave." She said, reaching across the table to take her hand.


"What?" Lexie sniffled, wiping her eyes with the back of her hands.


"Well, I talked to my husband last night. . ."she began. "Nick offered us some assistance if we want to move with the family. . ."


"He didn't tell me that!" Lexie gasped.


"He said I could tell you if we made the decision to come with you. I don't think Marcus and Anthony can come, but my husband is retired now and the kids are grown. My daughter is moving to Toronto with her husband and Hannah, her daughter, in July. . ." Cook shrugged. "Hannah is my only grandchild. You know those boys of mine won't settle down."


"I don't believe it." Lexie groaned. "You'd come with us?"


"I don't know why I shouldn't." The older woman shrugged.


"Oh, God, this is so wonderful!" Lexie squealed, jumping up and hugging her. "I just felt like shit all day because I didn't say a thing on Friday and then this morning. . ."


"You were obviously hung over."


"It was jetlag." Lexie tried to convince her.


"Call it whatever you'd like, young lady. You were in no mood to talk about this and right now you look exhausted. Why don't you go upstairs and rest? I'll stay and look after the angel." She smiled.


"I don't deserve you." Lexie sighed.


"That's funny. Nick used to say that all the time." She smiled, squeezing Lexie's hand.

Chapter 26 by old_archive

"This message is for Lexie Carter. Lexie, this is Mark Nelson, Victoria Winslow's segment producer. I was expecting your call Friday night. I'm still interested in speaking with you. Please call my cell phone when you can."


"Shit, shit, shit." Lexie groaned as she sat at the computer in the den with the phone in her hand after listening to phone messages the next morning.


"What?" Cook asked as she carried fresh flowers into the room.


"I forgot to call that TV producer. I'll call him right now. I don't believe this!" Lexie said, dialing his number. "I swear I'm going crazy! Hello? Mark Nelson? This is Lexie Carter."


"Lexie! It's great to hear from you finally!" He laughed.


"I am so sorry. I was planning to call, but something came up and we had to fly out of town unexpectedly. I am so sorry."


"No, no, it's okay. I discussed your story with Vicki, and she is fascinated by it. She really wants to set up a time when we could possibly do a pre-interview. She'll be L.A. later this week, is there any time that might be good for you?"


"Wow, really?! Well, I don't know. . .I mean I'm home most evenings. Should we meet somewhere for lunch or dinner or something. . .I'm sorry, I've never done anything like this before." Lexie stammered.


"Dinner would be good." He chuckled. "It may take a couple hours."


"Okay, could she come here maybe or would she like to meet at a restaurant? Maybe at her hotel?"


"Dinner at your house would be fine, if it's not too much work."


"Oh, no. We have a cook. How about Friday night, or is that too late in the week?"


"No, that sounds good. How does 5 o'clock sound?"


"I'm sorry, I don't get home from work until 6. How's 6:30? Is that too late?"


"No, that’s fine. Will Nick's daughter be there?"


"I can send her to her uncle's if you'd like."


"Oh no, I think she'd love to meet her, too."


"Then CJ can be here."


"Great, Lexie. So, 6:30 this Friday. Dinner at your house. Can we have the address?"


"Of course." Lexie smiled, giving them the address and promising to leave their names at the front gate. After hanging up, she called Nick immediately.


"So, you got it?" He asked eagerly.


"Well, she's coming for dinner on Friday. I don't know what I've 'got' actually. Can I tell her about the move?"


"Hon, you can tell her about whatever you want."


"Okay!" She laughed.


"Except Christine. If she asks about CJ's mother. . ."


"I know, stick to the public story." She agreed.


"You understand, don't you?"


"Yes, of course. I know you're still thinking things over. I'm just glad you're still willing to think and talk about it."


"I am." He sighed.


"Okay, well, I've got to go get in the shower."


"Alrighty, thanks for calling. Tell CJ I love her."


"I will."


"I love you, too."


"I know, and I love you." She smiled. Lexie hung up the phone and headed upstairs to shower and get CJ ready for school.



"Sabrina!" Star yelled into her office door.


"I'm in the bathroom for Christ's sake!" Sabrina called through the door, sighing heavily. She finished washing her hands and then toweled them dry. She came out of the bathroom, closing the door behind her. "What is it this time?"


"Jonas Smith is bitching that there aren't any paralegals in the office today and he has a deposition at 2." She sighed.


"Well, they are all busy today. He went to Harvard; tell him to do his own damned deposition!" Sabrina declared, throwing up her hands.


Sabrina looked down at the oak framed calendar on her desk and realized what the date was today. March 1st. She knew today was coming. It was Jill's last day before she left for a month in Malta and Tina was in Orlando, so it was only a matter of time. Sabrina pinched her nose and squeezed her eyes shut.


After thirty days of this I am going to want a vacation, she thought. Or they are going to lock me away. . .either way; I’m not going to be here.


"Can I use those words?" Star smiled wickedly.


"Be my guest." Sabrina reluctantly smiled back.


"Scaring the troops already?" Jill's voice came up behind her as Star left the office. Sabrina turned to the door adjoining their offices.


"Their benevolent leader is leaving them in the hands of the evil step-sister. They should be afraid." Sabrina smiled knowingly.


"You really are being an angel for doing this."


"You didn’t come in to throw up in my bathroom again, did you?"


"No, I used my own last time." Jill laughed, coming in to sit in a chair in front of her desk. Sabrina took her seat behind it. "You have the two newbies settled yet?"


"Yes, they are moving into their office's today. We'll discuss caseloads tomorrow. So, you all packed?"


"Yes, all three of us. Jane is coming for the first two weeks."


"Pulling her out of school, huh? What's CJ going to do without her?"


"Well, she'll probably be just fine. They are moving back to Florida. Tampa to be exact."


"I know, Nick's been calling about his recovered assets and why they aren’t fully recovered yet." Sabrina said. "I've got a call into Tina."


"Sounds good."


"You sound sad about it."


"Oh, no. I’m happy for them. Nick needs to get away from L.A. and his mother for awhile."


"They haven't patched things up?"


"Are you kidding? It's hard to decide which one of them is more hard headed, Jane or Nick." Jill smiled softly. "I think the girls will miss each other."


"You can always fly them back and forth. They are both pros at it."


"I know, but it's not the same as having them close by where they can just play together."


"It's tough, but Star said Nick sounded pretty excited about the new house."


"He is. I've seen pictures. It really is perfect for them." Jill agreed. "Well! Enough about Nick Carter and his problems. . .I'm going on vacation at 5:00 p.m. and not even his mother is going to stop me!"


"Hear, hear!" Sabrina agreed.



"You don’t understand!"


"You were gone all the time!"


Kevin woke with a start during his trans-Atlantic flight. The cabin was still dimmed and he could hear someone typing softly on a laptop in coach. He was in the last row and on the aisle of first class, a place he liked so he could stretch his legs out. More than once he had almost tripped flight attendants, but this airline was getting used to him, and he saw the same flight crews several times a year.


He thought back to his recurring dream and the words screamed at him every time in the dream by his wife over the years of their long marriage. This argument ended with a quiet confession, "I was lonely." At the time, he hadn't understood, but now ten years later, he did. He loved her like life itself and needed her like the air he breathed.


He hadn't been able to send her away.


Kevin shook his head. He was lonely and tired himself these days. Months alone in London working on his latest movie score had left him drained and unwilling to be away from home another minute.


He looked down at his watch.


He would be in New York in three more hours. Then he would be on another flight to Seattle to see Jake before heading to Kentucky. It had been so long since he had seen his strong-willed second son, Jake, that the surprise might do them both good.


Kevin arrived in L.A. at 11:08 p.m. that night. It was 2:09 a.m. when Sabrina got the call.


"Ms. Carlson, this is the answering service."


"Which one?" she mumbled.


"For Carter, Carlson, and Ryans. I have a call here for Jillian Carter."


"Can't it wait until the office opens?" Sabrina asked, sitting up and grabbing her alarm clock.


"He says he's Jill Carter's brother-in-law."


"Nick? . . .okay, I'll take the call."


Sabrina listened to the phone lines click as they were switched to connect her with the caller.


"Hello?" she asked.


"Hello?" A deep male voice slurred.


"Nick? . . .who is this?" She demanded.


"It's Kevin. Kevin Richardson." He slurred, obviously drunk.


"Mr. Richardson? Jake's father?"


"Yes, yes. Is Jill there? I can't remember Nick's number and I'm in trouble. . ." He began to ramble.


"Where are you?"


"Uh. . .I'm in jail. . .L.A. county I think. Can you just give me Nick's number?"


"Nick is in Orlando."


"He is? Oh, shit, he is. . .look, you got to help me. I go in front of the judge in an hour. I need some bail money." He groaned.


"Mr. Richardson, what did you do?" She asked.


"I got drunk."


"I noticed that. What got you in jail?"


"I got in a fight." He whispered. "I gotta call someone. Can you call someone?"


"I'm Sabrina Carlson, I'm one of Jill Carter's partners. I'll be right there, Mr. Richardson." She sighed, throwing back the covers.


"Thank you." He sighed heavily. "Thank you, Sabrina."


Click.


"Can any of these guys ever stay out of trouble?" Sabrina groaned, slipping her feet into her slippers and heading for the bathroom.



Sabrina hadn't worked night court in years. She put together a casual outfit and headed to town within an hour of his call. She called the court before she left her condo and had him moved down the docket. She went through security and made it to the prisoner counseling area.


"Mr. Richardson?" She queried the man, whose dark, but graying head was on his arms across the table. He looked up and turned those emerald eyes on her. "Mr. Kevin Richardson?"


"Yeah?"


"I'm Sabrina Carlson." She said, putting her hand out for him to shake.


Kevin couldn't help but stare at this beautiful young woman before him. She was tiny, but her back was ramrod straight, her head held high. Her dark hair was pulled back in a casual ponytail and she wore simple sportswear.


God, when did I forget how incredible they can be?


"I'm with Jill Carter's law firm?" She added softly as he continued to stare at her.


"Oh, yes, yes." He said suddenly, getting to his feet and reaching out to swallow her tiny hand with his large one. He held on to her for her warmth, but she pulled away first. She took a seat across the table from him.


"I got your charges, they aren't that bad. Public Drunkenness, Public Disorderly Conduct and Simple Assault. Bail will be probably be just a few thousand. The firm can put that up for you." She said, snapping her briefcase open. "I need you to sign a retainer so I can proceed on your behalf and we can discuss reimbursement later."


"Of course. Where's Jill?" He asked, watching her slide the paperwork toward him.


"She and her husband are out of town for the next month. I'm the only senior partner that is still in town." Sabrina said, handing him a pen as well.


He signed the papers without even reading them. She pointed where he needed to initial and he did each one.


"Have you sobered up?" She asked, collecting the papers and filing them in her briefcase.


"I think so." He said with a heavy sigh.


"Good. I had you moved down the docket so I could get here to represent you. We have about forty minutes. Why don't you tell me what happened?" She said, clasping her hands together and leaning over the table toward him.


"You don't waste any time, do you?" He said.


"I don't waste my clients' time."


"Time is money." Kevin said quietly.


"Yes, it is. What happened, Kevin?" She added gently. ~~*~~ Standing before the judge, getting Kevin's plea of 'no contest' in, paying the fines and getting him out of the building was easy. It was just 5 in the morning as she drove him through town. The press hadn't gotten wind of his little foray into the dark side of L.A.'s nightlife, but she was sure there would be mention of it somewhere.


"I appreciate this." Kevin said.


"My time is your time, Mr. Richardson." She said plainly. "Which hotel would like to stay in?"


"Something close to the airport. I have to schedule another flight out of here to see my son in Seattle."


"I'm sure I can arrange something if you'd like." She offered. She reached down and picked up her phone from the console and called information. Getting the phone number of the Hilton by the airport, she made him a reservation, then called the airlines and got him a flight out for the next day.


"I'm sorry I couldn't do better." She shrugged, pulling into the Hilton’s parking lot. "What the hell?!" She gasped as men and women with cameras came swarming at them. She swerved to avoid them, and then headed back out of the parking lot.


"That didn't take long." He sighed.


"Jesus, that was fast!" She groaned, heading back into the center of town.


"What now?" Kevin asked.


"I'll take you back to my condo. I doubt they will look for you there. You can shower, wash your clothes and sleep. I'll take you to the airport tomorrow." She said.


"You don't have to do that. You can find another hotel."


"One with better security than that one I'm sure." Sabrina said sharply. "No, I'll put you up."


"I promise not to look in your underwear drawer." He joked.


"I'm sure you won't." She agreed dryly.

Chapter 27 by old_archive

If Sabrina thought the month was going to be long, she was sure it was starting with the longest day she had had in ages. She was able to get through it, pick up some take out, and get back to her condo to find Kevin showered and in clean clothes. The airline had found his luggage and forwarded it to her address.


"Been comfortable?" She asked him as he held the door for her. "Any press?"


"Yes and no." He answered, following her into the kitchen. "Yes, I was comfortable, and no there hasn't been any press." He explained at her puzzled look.


"I got take out." She pulled the food containers out and began to reach for plates. Kevin helped her dish out the food. He carried them to the table as she took her briefcase to her office and then went into her bedroom to change out of her suit. She returned wearing jeans and a tee shirt, seemingly oblivious to Kevin's stares.


Kevin and Sabrina ate with simple dinner conversation. It began with him asking the cat's name and she confessing, she hadn't given him one.


"You have to call him something." Kevin insisted.


"Why? There isn't another cat here to confuse him with."


"Why did you get a cat if you didn't even want to give it a name?"


"Jane, Jill's daughter got it for me. Told me I needed a pet." Sabrina told him.


"You needed a pet?"


"I'm a single, professional woman. . .apparently, we all have cats." Sabrina sighed dryly.


With that, Kevin burst out laughing and didn't stop until he was nearly on the floor with tears rolling down his face. Initially, she wasn't amused, but now his laughter was becoming infectious. Soon she was joining him, small giggles rising to bigger laughter until they both finally settled down at the table.


"It's not funny." She protested, wiping her eyes.


"No, really it is. You said that so deadpan. . ." He smiled, settling his elbows on the table.


"That's what I do." She shrugged, dropping her eyes uncomfortably.


"I don't think you're like that at all." He smiled gently.


She didn't look up at him. He reached across the table and took her hand. What am I doing? She looked up at him instantly. . .God, she's beautiful. . .20 years too young. . .


"Kevin. . ." She began, pulling away, but Kevin held on with his hands and those eyes. . .this is insane. . .She thought.


Sabrina barely heard the clatter as he nearly climbed over the table to get her. He pulled her firmly into his arms, leaving her locked up against him and victim to his intense gaze. They were held there for several breaths.


"I'm going to kiss you, is that alright?" He asked sternly.


She could only nod, like a deer caught in headlights. His head dipped toward hers and his lips found hers, his tongue slipping past any defenses she had.


I have to stop this. . .I promised I wouldn't ever do this again. . .


Kevin didn't stop. He kissed her thoroughly, leaving her breathless and paralyzed against his growing passion. He withdrew, looking down into her stunned face.


"I want to go into the other room with you." He was so direct about it that he didn't sound any more different than if he was asking her for another cup of coffee. Kevin let go of her, and she nearly stumbled out of his arms.


"I. . .I. . ." She began with a stammer, and then she seemed to regain her voice. "I didn't invite you to stay here to sleep with you."


"I know. . ." He admitted softly. "You're a very beautiful woman, Sabrina. I know you feel it, too. . ."


"How many times have you used that line over the years?" She queried him.


"Too many times." He confessed.


"Aren't you a little too old for this kind of behavior?"


"Old habits are hard to break." He smiled shyly.


"And you're married. . ."


"It's never been what other people thought it was." Kevin sighed. "I'm. . .I'm just a little lonely, Sabrina. I suspect you are, too. We could kill a few hours tonight. . ."


Yes, we could. Sabrina thought in agreement. How long has it been, Beana? He's a lot older than you are, but who the hell cares? Who is ever going to know?


Sabrina was at least as lonely as he sounded.


She spent a couple of slow breaths looking up at him, assessing him. Kevin's dark hair had long began to gray years ago. He had it cropped short and it made the angles of his face seem softer than when he was younger. He was tall and straight, moving with a grace of a man who has lived with experience. His eyes were beautiful and mesmerizing. She had fallen victim to them when they first met and even now her heart was pounding in her chest as the sparks she had denied earlier flew between them.


This is wrong.


But it didn't matter right at that moment as she took him into the other room. Into her bedroom and "killed a few hours" with him. She didn't let herself cry and neither did he. It was insane, but a few times it seemed normal and sane. They were fleeting moments that no one would ever know about, except them and then she would put him on that plane in the morning and let him go.



"What am I supposed to do?" CJ asked, looking up at Lexie as Lexie dressed for dinner. Friday couldn't have come soon enough for Lexie. Her stomach had been in knots for days waiting for this one meal.


"Be a good girl, that's all."


"What if she doesn't like me?"


"How can she not like you?" Lexie laughed. "She's probably worried if you'll like her."


"She's famous. . ."


"C, you know even famous people have feelings."


"I know, but she's more famous than my Dad or Uncle Aaron." CJ insisted.


Lexie laughed again, then the doorbell rang. "Don't worry! There she is, let's go smile pretty and do our best."


"And be 'good girls'." CJ laughed, taking Lexie's hand and heading out of the bedroom.


They went downstairs to find Cook and Victoria standing in the foyer, exchanging greetings. Victoria caught the motion out of the corner of her eye and looked up to see Lexie and CJ waiting for her at the top of the landing stairs.


"Well, you are a beauty, aren't you?" She smiled warmly up at Lexie.


The forbidden fruit.


The media.


At 40, Victoria Winslow was as "media" as you could get. TV, radio, Internet, film. . .she covered it all. She was very much the most sought after interviewer of every celebrity's career. Nick had told Lexie he wanted this so bad he could almost taste it.


Lexie was wearing a dress, a statelier one than Nick usually cared for. Her dark hair was down her back, which was a way she rarely wore it since she had grown it out.


"Thank you." CJ smiled politely, and Victoria shook her dark head, heading up the short stairs to meet them.


"I'm Vicki Winslow." She smiled, presenting her hand to Lexie first. Her own dark hair was twisted back into a neat French roll and was a beautiful contrast to her gray eyes. Her linen pantsuit was dark as well, tailored perfectly to her trim figure. In heels, her 5-10 height was nearly 6 feet, making her just an inch or so taller than Lexie in her heels.


"Nice to meet you. I'm Lexie and this is CJ, Nick's daughter." Lexie smiled nervously, taking Victoria's hand in hers.


Vicki shook her hand firmly, then also offered to shake CJ's. CJ was quick to follow suit, shaking her hand as well.


"Well, it's nice to meet you two as well." She smiled.


"Would you ladies care for a drink before dinner?" Cook interrupted them gently.


"A little wine, perhaps?" Vicki asked politely.


"Red or white."


"Oh, white is fine."


"Lexie?"


"Yes, white." She answered quickly.


"There are hors d'oeuvres are in the front room. Dinner will be ready in about 20 minutes." Cook smiled, turning to leave and allowing Lexie to escort Victoria into the formal living room.


Cook had made everything perfect. Food, wine, and lighting made the house seem more elegant than Lexie ever remembered seeing it.


"This is a beautiful house." Vicki said, following them into the living room and sitting in a chair across from the girls, who sat on the couch together.


"Thank you. Nick has had it since before we were married."


"Have you been having fun redecorating?"


"Oh, I haven't done any, actually." Lexie chuckled nervously. "I really haven't had time."


Cook came in with wine for the adults and a little juice in a fancy glass for CJ, who continued to sit quietly as the adults talked.


"You know, I have just got to say this. I hope you don't take this wrong, but you look so much like AJ. . ." Vicki smiled after a sip of her wine. She held up her hand, "I'm sorry, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it, but that's the first thing I said when I first saw your picture when you disappeared."


"Oh, no, it's okay. I sometimes get that from reporters."


"We're just evil, aren't we?" Vicki laughed.


"Other people don't really mention it." Lexie answered.


"Really, I wonder why?" Vicki asked.


"I think because my father growing up was Howie Dorough." Lexie answered.


"Of course, I'm sorry. It was rude of me."


"No, no. It's a pretty safe bet I look like AJ." Lexie smiled.


"You have his eyes, that's for sure. Did Mark tell you I'm a fan? Well, a Backstreet Boy fan. Those were the days."


"No, he didn't."


"My Dad was a Backstreet Boy." CJ said.


"Yes, he was." Vicki agreed.


"So was my Uncle Kevin, and Howie, but I call him my Grandpa and AJ, who is my Poppy and also Uncle Brian."


"Well, you have all the details worked out."


"I figured it was better that way, because I didn't want AJ to be confused because of Howie being Grandpa and all. He likes being called Poppy."


"Do you see them often?"


"We saw them last weekend." Lexie said.


"All of the Backstreet Boys?"


"Everyone but Kevin. He's due in Orlando I think in a couple days, Nick said."


"I had heard he was in L.A. this week."


"Really, I hadn't heard that." Lexie said.


"Ah, probably just gossip, that's all." Vicki sighed with a smile. "So, CJ, what does "CJ" stand for?"


"My name, Christine Jane."


"How old are you and what grade are you in?"


"I'm 7 and I'm in the first grade."


"Really? Wow, you're a big girl." Vicki smiled.


"You have any children?" CJ asked.


"No, I don't."


"Aren't you married?"


"Well, yes, but I don't have any children." Vicki chuckled. "I have a dog though. His name is Sebastian."


"What kind of dog is he?"


"A Corgi."


"Is that a big dog?"


"Oh, no, he's little."


"I don't think we've ever had a dog." CJ said, trying to sound so grown up. She looked up at Lexie and Lexie smiled.


"No, CJ, we haven't." Lexie's fingers lightly skimmed CJ's hair.


"So, I have to ask, because he was always my favorite. How is Brian these days?" Vicki asked.


"Brian? He's good, when he's not complaining about trying to keep up with his youngest daughter." Lexie said.


"How old is she now?"


"Seventeen, I believe."


"Good Lord, I remember when all his girls were born."


"Dinner is ready, ladies." Cook announced.


"It smells wonderful." Vicki said, getting to her feet. CJ and Lexie followed her into the formal dining room.


The food smells, the candlelight, and fine china. . .Cook was getting a raise as soon as Lexie could get Nick to agree to it. It wouldn't be too tough if they got this interview. Dinner was a baked chicken, wild rice, and baby carrots; followed by cheesecake, which Vicki said was her favorite.


"I suppose we should get through the pre-interview part of this evening." Vicki announced after dessert, putting her napkin on the table.


"Lexie?"


"Yes, CJ?" Lexie looked over at her.


"Can I go upstairs?"


"It's getting close to your bedtime. Do you have your bag packed?"


"Yeah."


"Well, Cook's going to take you home to play with Hannah tomorrow."


"Hannah's moving to Canada soon."


"Yes, she is."


"Okay, yeah, my bag is packed, but I've got to do my homework."


"Well, that's fine, but it can wait until Sunday night."


"I know, but I'll do it now while I wait for Cook." CJ said, getting off her seat and walking up to Victoria. "It was nice to meet you."


"It was nice to meet you, too, CJ." Vick smiled.


"Bye!" CJ skipped from the room.


"She is too precious." Vick laughed.


"Nick says it's because she's been around adults all her life. When she was younger, he used to take her everywhere on the road with him. This is actually the first time they've really been apart."


"Nick and CJ are close?"


"Very."


"Lexie, do you mind if I ask you about CJ's mother? It's not going to be a part of your interview, but I've always been curious."


"Well, she left when CJ was still an infant. We're not exactly sure why."


"She still has contact with CJ?"


"No." And Lexie left it at that. "Would you like to move back into the living room?"


"Sure, that would be fine." Vicki nodded as the two women got to their feet.


The two women settled into the living room with coffee from Cook. Lexie watched Vicki settle into a corner of the couch, cross her long legs, and peer at her from over her coffee cup.


"I guess I should start by telling you why I wanted to do this interview." Vicki began. "I was moved by your testimony at the trial of Samantha Kramer. I was doubly surprised when my producer, Mark, told me that you didn't even know what the verdict was. Tell me, Lexie, why was that?"


"I pretty much said it all there. We're just trying to get on with our lives."


"She was responsible for the death of your baby."


"I know." Lexie sighed heavily, "But nothing is going to bring her back, no matter how much I wish it could."


"You made an interesting comment to Mark on the phone when he first talked to you, about how you and Kramer were both victims of the trade unions trying to keep the cases in the public eye. How do you feel about that now that she's been convicted?"


"The same, I suppose. Does it really make sense to prosecute this case? I was just barely 6 months pregnant with the baby when I lost her. I don't think I was even that. Although she did shove me, it was probably more of an accident than anything else. None of it was fair, none of it."


"Lexie, how come you've never been to the baby's grave?"


It was by far one of the longest pauses in Victoria Winslow's career. She watched Lexie's profile for some kind of reaction, something to give her a clue on what was going on in this beautiful girl's head.


"It would make it real. If I saw it." Lexie quietly confessed to something she hadn't even told Nick. "Right now it's like it never happened. The pregnancy, the fall, the miscarriage. . .it's like a dream."


"Isn't it better to just deal with these things?"


"I tried." Lexie sighed. "I tried to and ended up on drugs that. . .made it worse. It's better this way, for both of us."


"You and Nick?"


"Me and DJ."

Chapter 28 by old_archive

Lexie woke with a start and sat straight up in bed. Her dark hair settled around her shoulders as she stared around the room to get her bearings. She looked over at the clock, which said it was four in the morning.


That makes it seven in Orlando. . .


She reached across the great expanse of bed and picked up the phone. She didn't hesitate when she dialed Nick's cell phone. She had to call him twice before he picked up.


"Hello?" He mumbled.


"Nick?" He heard her soft, unsure voice.


"Lex? Yeah, it's me. What time is it?" He groaned as he rolled onto his back.


"I won't do the interview, Nick. I won't."


"Huh? What? What happened? Last night you said everything went fine." Nick spoke, trying to get himself orientated.


"It's not fine, Nick! It's not!" She began to cry. "I can't, Nick, I can't."


"Baby, shhhh, it's okay. Honey, don't cry. Tell me what happened? What happened with Victoria?" He asked, but she couldn't answer. "Tell me what happened."


"She wanted to talk about the baby. I thought I could do it, Nick, but I can't!" Lexie sobbed.


Nick sat up in bed, brushing his loose hair from his face. The drapes were still drawn in his hotel room, but in the distance he could hear Brian moving around. He reached for the alarm clock and brought it close so he could read it.


What time is it? God, it's four in the morning out there!


Nick waited and not only listened to her sob, but also listened to his own heart breaking. He should be there with her when she woke up, not here in this hotel suite 3,000 miles away!


He continued to wait, soothing her the best he could. It seemed like forever until she was reduced to erratic hiccups and sniffles.


"You don't have to do anything you don't want to, baby. I don't care about this interview if you're going to be hurt." He tried to soothe her.


"What do I say if they call back?" Lexie's voice was thick with panic.


"Tell them you changed your mind. You don't have to do this, Lexie. I swear, I don't want you to get hurt by this." He insisted.


"I miss you so much." She groaned.


"Oh, baby, I miss you, too." He moaned in reply. "I love you, hon, I love you." That only served to send her further into her tears and he had to wait for her to recover again before he could utter another word. "Lexie?"


"I'm so sorry. I swore I wouldn't do this to you. . ." She hiccupped.


"No, Lex, you can do whatever you need to." He said firmly, trying to reassure her. "Lexie, tell me what happened between last night and now? It's early there. Did you have a bad dream?"


More like a nightmare. . .


They had all turned on her. Everyone she knew and loved accused her of being heartless, of being cruel, of being a bad mother. They blamed her for the baby's death. She had tried to defend herself, but when Nick turned on her, she couldn't stand it and suddenly woke from the horror.


"Yes." She confessed quietly.


"Tell me."


"I. . .can't."


"Lexie, tell me." His insistence was followed by a long silence. "I love you, Lexie. Tell me."


"You. . ."


"What?"


"You blamed me for the baby's death. . .everyone did. . ." She cried quietly.


"Lex, you know that's not true." Nick let out the breath he was holding. "It was an accident. Everyone knows it wasn't your fault. I should have made them videotape your testimony. You should have never been there."


"It wasn't your fault, Nick!" She protested, coming to his defense.


"It's nobody's fault, Lexie." He finally admitted quietly. "God knows I've tried to blame a lot of people, but it just happened."


Another long pause followed his statement and then he heard a timid, "Nick?"


"Yes, honey?" He drew his knees up to his chest and leaned against the headboard of the hotel bed.


"Are you angry that I've never been to the baby's grave?" She quietly asked.


"No." He answered honesty. "I understand. I haven't really been to my father's since the funeral. I understand that some times moving forward is more important."


"Am I running away from it?"


"I can't answer that for you, Lex." He sighed. Nick always realized, even if it was just in the back of his mind, that this day would come. "I wonder sometimes if you've dealt with everything properly . . ."


"I know." She quietly confessed to him.


"Lexie, you don't have to do anything you don't want to."


"I know." She swallowed hard to keep from crying again. He was saying everything she wanted and needed to hear. He always did.


"I love you, no matter what. Not distance, not time." He whispered.


Her voice matched his in the softest whisper, "I promise."



Although she wanted to go back to sleep, Lexie's day began after she hung up from Nick. All of those feelings and the visions from her dreams wouldn't let her sleep. The images of her family and the people she loved most in the whole world snarling at her frightened her more than anything ever had in her life.


Lexie only knew the name of the cemetery. She knew that Nick's grandparents and father were buried there as well. The baby was with them. That had given her a certain amount of. . . what? Happiness? Comfort? A part of Lexie wanted to believe that was why she never felt the urge to go and visit the grave, but another part knew it was a lie. A part of her knew the truth, even if she couldn't put her feelings into words.


So, she drove. Lexie drove to the L.A. cemetery, although she had never been there. She parked the black Porsche and walked the grassy field for hours.


She also didn't know where the family plot was, so she roamed the huge city cemetery in search of Nick's family plot. She found it, and it wasn't anything like she thought.


They weren't in the ground. The Carter family plot was an entire mausoleum and most of the vaults were empty.


Most of the Carters there she didn't recognize. She had actually never met Nick's father, but they hadn't known each other when he died. She thought she vaguely remembered her father saying something about it once, but she wasn't sure.


She read the few family names, one by one, until she saw hers.


DEVIN JENNIFER "DJ" CARTER
Beloved Infant Daughter of
Alexandria J. Carter and Nickolas G. Carter

Her hand flew to cover her mouth as she read hers and Nick's names over and over.


She and Nick were parents. They had a baby. And Lexie missed her. Missed her with all her heart. It didn't matter what had happened. It only mattered that she was gone. Lexie's future with her was gone as well.


All the feelings she had when she was pregnant came rushing back to her, and she stumbled until her back was pressed up against the opposite wall of cold marble.


She and Nick had had all those talks about naming her. They had planned and hoped so much for the baby, their families, and their future. Things had been bad, with both Howie and AJ rejecting her as she chose to live her life with Nick. He and Lexie, though, had so much together. They had the nursery and a sister for CJ. The baby was a symbol of their love, even if it had come to them by accident. Then again, were there really such things as accidents?


Regardless, it was all gone. The future. The past. The hopes. The dreams. All gone.


Lexie missed it.


And Lexie hated herself. Her feelings of guilt for never visiting may not have had words, but they had a face. AJ. AJ had abandoned her, and she had abandoned her daughter. She had abandoned Nick and CJ as well.


Lexie knew why she hadn't been to the grave. As time passed, she felt she had done the same thing to the baby that AJ had done to her. Abandoned her. And just like AJ, Lexie couldn't find her way back. Until now. Until right this moment, and this moment wasn't going to leave her alone.


She sank to the ground, pulled her knees to her chest, and sobbed her heart out.


Alone.


"Honey, are you okay?" She heard a distant, but familiar voice ask as a hand lay on her shoulder. Lexie's head snapped up when she realized she wasn't alone. "Turn that goddamn thing off!" Victoria Winslow snarled over her shoulder, and then Lexie looked beyond her and saw the cameraman.


"NO!" Lexie screamed, rushing to get to her feet. She shoved her way past Vicki and her camera crew and ran to her car.


"Lexie, wait!" Vicki called after her as she ran across the plush grass. She nearly ran into Lexie as they reached the car seconds apart. Lexie fumbled with the car keys. "Lexie, wait! Please, you can't drive!" Vicki reached and snatched the keys from Lexie's trembling hands.


"Give me my damn keys back!" Lexie spat at her.


"You're in no condition to drive, honey." Vicki gasped, trying to catch her breath.


"Give them back! What the hell are you doing here? Are you following me? I thought you were reputable, but you're just some kind of hack, aren't you?!" Lexie screamed, trying to snatch back her keys.


"No!" Vicki yelled back and then she threw them over the car as far as she could.


"You bitch! How the hell am I suppose to get home!?" Lexie screamed, running after the keys. Vicki ran after her, grabbing her arm, and pulling Lexie down into the grass.


"Lexie, listen to me. I didn't know you were here, I swear. We just came to get some pictures, do a little background, that's it! I swear." Lexie fell forward into the older woman's arms and sobbed into her shoulder. "My god. . .you poor child."


Vicki rocked Lexie in her arms, waving the camera crew away. She was warm and comforting as Lexie sat nestled in her arms. She smelled of green grass and light sage. Vicki's summer sweater bunched under Lexie's cheek and scratched at her face.


What am I doing?! Lexie suddenly pushed her away and scrambled to get to her feet.


"Just leave me alone!" Lexie sobbed as she wandered around desperately looking for the thrown keys. Vicki scrambled after her, following her and trying to talk to her.


"Lexie, please listen to me. Let me call someone for you."


"Who? Who are you going to call? Everyone is gone, well there is Nick's mother, she'd just fuckin' love to help me out!" Lexie yelled, still searching wildly for her car keys.


"Then let me help you." Vicki finally stopped trying to keep up with Lexie and stood stock-still.


"You?! You showed up at my baby's grave with a goddamn camera crew!" Lexie spat at her.


"It was for some pictures and background work, nothing more. Lexie, I had no idea you were going to be here. Last night you said you would never come here."


Lexie fell still and silent as the two women stood there captured in the moment.


"I came."


"I know."


"I don't know why."


"I know."


"I had this dream. Last night." Lexie began quietly. "Everyone blamed me for her death. Everyone, even Nick."


"It was just a dream. It wasn't real."


"No, but it felt so real." Lexie groaned.


"I know."


"It's not true."


"No, it's not. It was an accident." Vicki answered quietly, and then she held her hand out to Lexie. Lexie hesitated.


"I have to find my car keys." She sighed with a little smile.


"They are right here. Those were mine." Vicki smiled back, pulling Lexie's keys out of her sweater pocket by the fob. "I'll have the guys look for them. It's a rental car any ways." She shrugged.


"You are a hack, aren't you?" Lexie chuckled with a shake of her head.


Vicki rolled her eyes and shrugged her shoulders. "Yeah, but I'm a hack with a couple of Pulitzers."



Victoria woke Sunday morning in the guestroom of Nick Carter's L.A. mansion. She and Lexie had spent the rest of the afternoon in a little dive restaurant talking. Vicki was concerned about Lexie, so she didn't leave her side as Lexie talked. She talked about everything.


She talked about her mother, her absent father, and her other father, Howie Dorough. She spoke of her life and her love for Nick.


At first, Vicki considered Nick and Lexie's relationship the typical Hollywood story. Older man, younger woman. . .but Nick had called her several times that day, and Vicki could hear the love in her voice and knew without a doubt, it came from him as well.


Everywhere in the house she roamed, she saw tokens of their love. She could also tell that this wasn't their 'home' and that the one in Tampa sounded like just what they needed.


"Can I get you anything?" Lexie's voice broke Vicki's reverie as she stood on the main veranda and looked out over the pool.


"Some coffee?"


"I can do that." Lexie nodded as she turned to go back inside. "Uh. . . Vicki?"


"Yes, Lexie?"


"Thank you."


"No problem, sweetheart. No problem." Vicki smiled back at her.



Lexie had been afraid all night that she had talked too much. Victoria Winslow had better things to do than listen to her being pathetic. Lexie had told Nick that she agreed to the interview after all. Nick and Lexie had stayed on the phone until early in the morning. Lexie told him about everything she had learned about herself and reassured him that she was okay.


He had his concerns about the interview, but Vicki hadn't asked about CJ or Christine or even much about Nick's new album, either. She had only wanted to know about Lexie.


"Where are the coffee cups?" Vicki asked as Lexie watched her come into the kitchen.


"Right here." Lexie said, opening the cupboard over the coffee pot and handing one to her.


"Are you alright?"


"Yeah. I'm sorry. I just feel like I've kept you away from your job with my sob story." Lexie sighed.


"Oh, no, not at all!" Vicki chuckled as she gave the young woman a one-armed hug. "I'm genuinely concerned about you Lexie. I don't think you should have been alone last night. I just wanted to help. My husband says I should have been a social worker, not a journalist. I want to tell your story, Lexie, because it's more important than you think."


"Why do you say that?"


"Lexie, you're only 24 years old and look at all you've been through. Look at what you have taken on with your relationship with Nick and his daughter. You've lost your baby, and you almost lost your father over being pregnant by Nick. People need to hear your story, Lexie. People need to know that they can survive bad things. Just like you."


"I said I'd do the interview, but you still haven't told me why you want to do this so badly. I mean, you're right about all that stuff, but let's face it. I'm really perceived as Nick Carter's trophy wife, not to mention it's all really shocking because I'm AJ McLean's daughter, his former band mate and best friend."


Vicki paused and mulled over her answer.


"My little sister had the same kind of life as you do, and Lexie, no one told her story. No one told about when she married my father's best friend, no one told about when she lost his baby in a car accident, and no one really cared when she killed herself afterwards." Vicki sighed. "I don't give a rat's ass about all that anti-involvement crap they give us in journalism school. It's all personal, Lex, every goddamn minute of it."


"You don't need me to tell your sister's story."


"No, but you need me to tell yours."



"How much did it cost you this time?" Leah asked as she and Howie watched AJ, Nick, and Brian leave with the children.


"Nick wants the last week of the month off."


"And?"


"AJ had me hire Kevin to produce that jazz number I told you about."


"And?"


"Brian wants better food in the cafeteria."


"Better food in the cafeteria?"


"I refused that one." Howie chuckled as they walked through the house. He caught her arm as she passed him on her way to the kitchen. He gently touched the whitening curls of her blonde hair.


"I need to go to the salon." She chuckled embarrassingly, trying to pull away.


"Don't pull away." He whispered huskily, pulling her close for a kiss. "I will always love you, Leah. Always." Howie pressed his full lips to hers, then felt her melt against him as he gently slipped past her lips.


"You can still do that to me." She whispered, her eyes still closed.


"It's nothing compared to what you do for me. Let's go upstairs." Howie sighed close to her ear. "Let me show you why I sent the kids away in the first place.


Trysts at lunch weren't enough any more, and Howie had taken advantage of Nick and AJ's friendship plenty of times on the weekends to get time alone for her. Months had gone by when she had supported him through his long hours at work and while the work hadn't let up, he was finding more time with her. He knew he simply had to in order to keep her. He couldn't live without her.


Her slim body writhed passionately under him as he took his pleasure of her. She responded no differently than when they first met, but with more skill and practice as she roused him well. Shared love and passion hung in the air all day until the afternoon when the children returned with their caregivers.


It had been another beautiful Sunday spent in her arms with the slim hope they would have one last child together. If not, it was still time well spent.



"So, how was your day?" Lexie asked Nick as she cradled the phone between her ear and her shoulder, balancing a plate of food as she walked to the den.


"Wild! Took the kids to the water park. Had fun." Nick smiled as he heard her munch her way through the house. "You feeling better?"


"Yeah, I am. Thank you, honey." She sighed with a smile, settling down in the chair at the desk.


"I'm glad. I just wish I could be there." He sighed.


"I know. There is nothing more I want than to have you here. But we only have to get through the next four weeks. It's a good thing this is my last week at the auction house."


"Actually, it's only three weeks. I got the last week of the month off and I'm coming home early!"


"Really?! Oh Nick, that's great. God, I miss you so much!" Lexie gasped.


"I know, I miss you, too." He groaned. "Where's CJ?"


"She's playing outside with Shawna from next door."


"Can you go get her?"


"Oh, she's at Shawna's house outside. She's not here. She should be home in an hour, I'll have her call you." Lexie said.


"Good, I want to talk to her. It's been ages."


"She had a good time with Cook's granddaughter. They went to the beach for the day on Saturday."


"Maybe we'll make a beach bunny out of her yet." Nick chuckled. "She's too much of a city kid. She's like her mother that way."


"Oh?"


"Forget I mentioned it."


"No, Nick, it's okay. Her mother didn't like the water?"


"No, she didn't. She was your typical model type. Not outdoorsy at all." Nick answered dryly.


"Nick. . ."


"Let's not start, okay?"


"What if she calls again?"


"She won't. I made myself perfectly clear."


"So, you've made up your mind?"


"Yes. I don't want Christine anywhere near CJ. Once Christine is gone, I'll tell her." Nick said, trying to sound more convicted than he really was.


"I'm sorry to hear that, Nick." Nick heard her reply softly.


Nick jerked the phone away and stared at it. That reaction wasn't what he expected at all.


Not at all.

Chapter 29 by old_archive

Tina looked up from her new office at SDR to see Howie's faithful little assistant standing in her doorway in shock. No doubt Michelle had never heard such language coming from another woman so early on a Monday morning. Well, Tina despised assholes. Put arrogant in front of that word and all hell was liable to break loose.


"Can I help you?" Tina asked.


"I was just wondering if I needed to order you a new phone. Are you sure that one isn't broken after how you slammed it down?"


"I'd order a spare if I were you." Tina agreed dryly.


"Howie sent me down here to ask about having lunch today."


"You can't call?"


"You were on the phone."


"Today isn't good. Tomorrow."


"He can't do tomorrow or the rest of the week. Today. He said to be in his office by noon." With her announcement complete, the little blonde turned and left the office.


A small, wry grin crossed Tina's lips, No wonder Dorough hired her, Tina thought.


Her hand fell on a crisp white legal-sized envelope that had just been delivered a moment before her phone call. She picked it up and looked through the window to see Nick's full legal name neatly typed on what she knew was a check. More than enough for that house he and Lexie were looking at and now it was time to tell him the good news.


It had taken three extra court hearings, but Tina had forced Nick's former management to pay him per the court agreement. She had back payments plus interest in here and they were equally displeased when she refused an electronic transfer. She stated she didn't want them any where near her clients' personal accounts, so she forced them to draft him a check. A rather hefty one at that.


Her painted red lips curled into a satisfied smile as she pushed back her chair and stood, heading towards the recording studio. No point in delaying such good news.



Holy shit. . . AJ thought as he watched Tina walk into the recording studio and signal for Nick to join her outside. AJ flicked the switch to talk to Brian and Kevin in the booth. "Who the fuck was that beautiful redheaded creature?!" He asked.


"That's his lawyer." Brian chuckled at AJ as he stood there with his mouth gaping.


"I think she's an angel straight from heaven." AJ gasped.


"More like a she-devil." Brian laughed. "Her name is Tina Ryans."


"She's going to be the next Mrs. Alexander McLean if I have my way with her." AJ cackled back. Goddamn! When was the last time I laid eyes on something that fine?! I would get married again if I could get my hands on that. AJ thought.


Everything about her spoke of raw power and sexuality so thick AJ could taste it. The attraction for him was instantaneous, and he could feel the stirring of it in his loins.


Nick came back in the room sans Tina and smiled over at AJ. "She heard every word."


"Great! I'll be right back!" AJ cackled as he ran out into the hall. She was walking away when AJ called out, "And I meant every word, too! Have dinner with me! Tonight!"


Tina looked back to find him standing in the middle of the hallway yelling at her past several SDR employees.


AJ McLean. . .fuck, he's only gotten better with age. . .


"Be at my office at 6 o'clock. A minute late, and I'll leave without you!" She yelled back as the doors to the elevator opened. She stepped in and turned to see him blow her a kiss. She actually felt heat creep into her cheeks, but the doors closed soon enough to block it from his view.


AJ was there at six sharp, having made arrangements for Alex to stay with Nick for the evening. He seemed quite pleased with himself, Tina observed as she finished clearing her desk for the night. She locked her desk and stood to take her jacket off the back of her chair.


"You have any idea how beautiful you are?" He smiled at her and stupidly, she felt herself blush again.


"Obviously, you haven't spoken to Nick about me." She replied as she slipped on her suit jacket.


"Oh yeah, I did. Didn't believe a word he said." AJ grinned. "I made reservations for 7, if that's okay?"


"That's fine." Tina put her bag on her shoulder and met him at the door he held for her.


"Good. After you, Ms. Ryans. . ."


"Oh, you did get my name."


"And I know you already know mine."


Nick had told him plenty. He had even told him that he was pretty sure Tina was a fan, especially of him. Been a while since I tried to bang a fan, might just be fun, he had thought to himself. Her heels put her a good 2 inches taller than him, but he didn't care. Just following her through the halls to the parking garage, letting her scent linger before him, was enticement enough for him. He noticed the grace of her hands, the poise of her body, and the strength in her stride.


He was completely mesmerized by her as they walked through the garage towards his car since she agreed to let him drive. He held the door for her and then went around and let himself in. He settled into the leather seat and slipped the key into the ignition.


"Is there any reason we should even bother with dinner?" He asked her as the fine automobile came to life.


"I'm hungry?" She smiled at him.


"So am I." He agreed, but his tone and his manner told her he wasn't talking about food.


"I gather there is food at your house?" She asked. He stopped backing out the car and looked over at her.


"Yes, there is."


"Can you cook?"


"Yes, I can." He smiled.


"I think that will do." She nodded.


"Dinner at my place, then."


The ride to AJ's house was sparked with only casual chitchat. Neither one of them paid too much attention to what was being said because their goals were simply the same.


Each other.


Tina was returning his aggression, tit for tat. AJ did cook a light meal for her as she took off her shoes and her hose, leaving them by the front door. He learned a little about her: she had two daughters and was divorced. She was as dynamic as Nick and Brian had said, and AJ was enjoying the thrill that came with that. Could he make her vulnerable? Would his touch be enough to bring her to his will?


"You can cook." Tina smiled as she stood in the doorway to the kitchen, watching AJ rinse dishes for the dishwasher.


"Taken up a lot of life skills since I decided to take care of Alex on my own." He nodded, closing the dishwasher and locking it shut.


"You survived without them before."


"I hired people to do them for me. I know Suzanne wouldn't have wanted Alex raised like that. I don't either." He said, drying his hands. "Can I get you a drink?"


"Absolutely." She stepped aside to let him pass. He mixed drinks for both of them, handing a fine crystal glass to her. "Here's to being polite." She toasted him.


"Absolutely." He grinned over the rim of his glass. He reached with his free hand and began pulling fiery strands down around her face. "Is it natural?"


"Yes." She said, her voice not giving a hint of her own passion away. His slim fingertips traced her jaw until he let his hand drop to his side.


"Let down your hair." He commanded softly, reaching to take her glass. She handed it over and reached up, pulling a few pins from her hair. The dark red locks fell around her, causing his breath to hitch in his throat. He set down their glasses as his fingers rose to her again and traced the V of her blouse until it plunged between her breasts. "You are incredibly beautiful. Come with me."


He took her hand and led her to his bedroom. She followed him without hesitation, and AJ couldn't remember the last time a woman had done that. He had a reputation, and he knew it. The last couple of years of domestic bliss with Alex hadn't changed him or anyone's opinion of him. He simply was never one to deny a beautiful woman. He knew the forces drawing him to this woman wouldn't allow him deny its pull either.


Tina let him lead her and was as willing as she looked. This was better than she could have hoped. It had been ages since a man she actually wanted to be touched by had touched her. She knew there was no telling what would happen to her when he did, either.


Without her shoes, she was still an inch taller than he was, but it didn't bother him as they stood beside the bed and began to undress without a word. The attraction hung between them like the hot, humid air common in Florida. Tina almost felt smothered by the sexual tension between them. The sparks had flown during the car ride and even more so during the simple meal he had prepared. Suddenly, her mind flickered, and she prayed the room was dark enough that he couldn't see her scars.


AJ took her in his arms and pressed himself to her until he could feel the jut of her ribs against his. His mouth took hers, and then he moved her back to lay her across his bed.


He was hungry as his mouth devoured her. She gasped and nearly screamed as his teeth grazed each nipple. Her fingers raked over his short hair and dug mercilessly into his shoulders. His fingers slipped in between her damp legs and she responded eagerly.


Tina felt her body reach new heights as they made love. She had always thought he was attractive and had kept him as a not-so-secret fantasy. She had kidded enough times with Nick and Jill and even Aaron about hooking them up. Now she had actually done it. She opened her eyes several times to see him panting above her, marveling at the sight.


God, was it possible that this was everything she ever wanted? Was he the happiness she had always hoped? Instantly, she regretted being there with him. She had recklessly gone to bed with him and presented herself like the whore people once thought she was. In the instant that AJ came in her arms, her years of success and hard work meant nothing, and she felt like she was the same scared, stupidly whorish little girl she was at fifteen.


AJ only saw that she was beautiful and she moved under him as any beautiful woman would, but AJ felt something in her that he couldn't identify. Something beyond hunger. Something that he had seen in other women when he was younger, but didn't understand then either. When he first saw her, she was instantly intriguing to him.


She opened herself willingly to his plundering, so he could not conclude what he felt was a lack of trust. She caressed him tenderly when he lay spent in her arms, and he knew she was capable of love. She blushed when he complimented her and laughed when he tickled her. He couldn't understand what he didn't know, but he knew something was wrong with her. He got his first glimpse when he reached to turn on the lamp by the bed, as she sat on the edge with her back to him.


"Good God!" He gasped.


"What?!" She gasped as she whirled on him, pulling her blouse to cover her breasts.


"What's on your back?!" AJ demanded.


"Its. . .uh. . .nothing." She stammered.


"Tina, don't tell me it's nothing. Your back is covered with. . .scars."


"They're nothing." She backed away, shaking her head.


"Girl, what the hell happened to you?!" AJ climbed over the bed and moved towards her as she continued to back up.


"I have to go." She stammered, beginning to snatch up her clothes. AJ caught her arm and brought her flurry of movement to an end.


"Don't go. Tell me." He murmured. He brushed hair from her shoulder and let his fingertips draw down her back.


She drew in a long breath and shook herself from his grip. She threw back her red hair like a mane on a wild mustang.


"I was . . .hit. By my ex-husband."


"Jesus, with what?"


"That was an electrical cord."


His hand drew down her back and his fingers clicked over each scar. "Oh, fuck, there is something so wrong about that." AJ muttered. "Where is the bastard?"


"He's dead. He was killed in prison after he was convicted of murder."


"Murder? Who did he murder?"


"My sister. She came to my rescue and he strangled her with the cord. My daughter, Willow, is actually my niece. He was Becka's father."


"Oh, baby, I'm so sorry. . ." AJ choked. "I had no idea. . ."


"Few people do, and I'd rather it stay that way." She snapped as she moved away from him.


"Tina, don't!" AJ said sternly.


"Don't what?" She questioned him.


"Don't go."


"Is there any point of me staying any longer? We both got what we wanted."


"Huh? Wait a second, I'm not in this just for a quick screw. I just wanted to say I thought we had something here, but obviously I'm the only one who feels that way." He declared.


He could hear her clear and concise snort.


"Fine. I'm too old for this shit anyway." AJ sighed, throwing up his hands. She picked up her clothes and pulled them all on. He stopped her with his words this time. "Tina?"


She stopped and looked back at him silhouetted by a bedroom window.


"Didn't you feel anything?" He asked quietly.


Tina considered the question for a long time before she answered him, "Yes. I did, AJ."


"Then don't go. Don't go forever." The pleading in his voice surprised AJ. She lifted her eyes to him. "I don't want you to go. Stay here, and I'll prove it."


He'll prove it? As far as Tina was concerned, he had proved it in every touch and every movement of his body against hers. He wanted her, but more than just her body and she knew that. Why am I running? Why can't I face it? Why can't I have him? Why can't I be happy for once and have what I want? Stay, Tina, and see if what you know is true.


"I believe you." Her voice a soft whisper.


"This is crazy, I know." He smiled gently at her as he walked closer. "I just have to know if there is something here. Something between us we can build on."


He took her hand and led her to sit on the bed with him, amidst the strewn bed covers. He leaned over and gently pressed his lips to hers, but she didn't move. He tried again, smoothing his tongue against her closed lips. She quietly gasped as he stood up and faced her. He pressed her back into the bed again.


This time, he would prove it to her.

Chapter 30 by old_archive

"Can I help you with something?" Howie's assistant, Michelle, asked as she caught the entire view of his behind sticking out from under his desk the next morning.


"Yeah, where are those budget files I gave you a while back?"


"What budget files?"


"The ones I put notes in and approved. Aren't you done with them?" He asked as he got to his feet.


"I didn't see any budget files."


"I left them on your desk."


"Nope, didn't see them."


"Don't screw with me, okay?" He sighed.


"I'm not. No files, Howie." Michelle threw up her hands.


"I know I left them there. God, I'm going senile, I swear!" He groaned as he sat back down.


"I'm sure they are in here somewhere." She smiled at his piles on his desk.


"Not if they are on your desk." He joked back.


"They aren't on my desk." She joked back at him. "I'll look for them in here when you're at lunch."


"You won't find them in here, because they are on your desk." He hollered after her as she walked out of his office with a girlish laugh.



"You just aren't going to miss us, are you?" Gina chuckled at a daydreaming Lexie.


"Huh? What?"


"Miss us? You going to miss us?"


"Of course I am, you dork." Lexie smiled. "I'm still figuring on opening my estate house in Tampa. We'd be the only game in town."


"I don't know. . ." Gina sighed.


"I know Jake will be moving back to Orlando come graduation." She teased her former college roommate.


"You're mean!"


"Naw, you'll be family then."


"What?!"


"After you marry him."


"Oh, gesh!" Gina blushed wildly.


"You could do worse than a 'Richardson', ya know?" Lexie laughed.


"And I think I have!" Gina laughed with her. "Enough about Jake. You get to work. I need that catalogue complete before you leave here Friday!"


"Yes, ma'am!"



"How'd it go?" Brian whispered to Nick as they watched Alex and AJ play in the recording booth.


"I have no idea. He won't tell me. He got out alive." Nick snickered. Brian returned the chuckle.


"How's Lexie doing?" Brian swiveled his chair fully toward Nick.


"She sounds better. Really good, actually. That lingering sadness in her voice seems gone." Nick smiled.


"You tell her about not wanting Chris near CJ?"


"Yeah, and it was weird. She just said she was sorry to hear that and let it go. Damn, I thought all hell was gonna break loose. She was as cool as a cucumber." Nick arched his eyebrows in disbelief.


"Maybe she fully understands the situation now."


"I hope so. I think she'll respect my wishes, too. I already told Sabrina to tell them 'no' if they contact her again, which they haven't."


"Sabrina who?" They heard a familiar deep voice ask them.


"Hey, Cuz! You were supposed to be here two days ago!" Brian laughed, jumping to his feet and into Kevin's arms. Nick stood and he embraced the closest man he had to an older brother.


"Didn't D tell you?" Kevin queried.


"Yeah, but we still expected you sooner."


"Got delayed in L.A." Kevin shrugged. Brian pulled up a chair for him, and the three men sat down together.


"Where you staying?"


"I had Kristen open up the house here. I'll be staying there. Jake is going to be back in Orlando in the middle of June after graduation. He's fielding offers in the Orlando and Tampa markets."


"Still going to be a radio jock?" Nick smiled as he leaned back in his chair and crossed his legs.


"So far he's sticking to it."


"I hear he's taken up with one of Lexie's friends." Nick smiled.


"Yeah, I heard all about her." Kevin chuckled.


"She's a good kid. I think you'll like her. I wouldn't be surprised if Gina moves out here by the end of the year. Lexie has been having a great time at the auction house and is thinking of starting her own business."


"Really?" Brian asked.


"It's really just a thought right now, but once we're settled in Tampa, you never know." Nick shrugged. Nick looked behind him as Kevin smiled brightly over his shoulder to see AJ and Alex making fish faces on the glass behind him and Brian. Brian was the first one on the consoles doing it back to them.


"I'm not paying you jokers to sit around here!" Howie declared walking in on them. "Good to see you, Kevin!"


Hugs rounded out the group and even with Howie's stern voice, it took them another 45 minutes to get to work.



It was Friday, and the last week at the auction house had flown by too quickly for Lexie. The movers had been packing up the boxes and the few pieces of furniture they were going to take with them to the new house in Tampa. Nick had been able to pay for the house with the check Tina had gotten for him.


CJ was at Cook's house again for another weekend and Lexie had received another call from Marty Portlowe, her private investigator. She headed over to his office after her goodbye party at the auction house. She wasn't as nervous and scared this time because she was well aware of what she would be getting from him.


"So, you know whatcha' gonna do with this?" Marty asked her.


"Sorta." Lexie shrugged her shoulder as she sat in his office, fingering the newest addition to her file on Christine. She had Christine's address, phone number, and social security number now. At least the number with her professional name on it. There was still no clue on her given name or who the boy's father was.


"I don't want you getting in any kinda trouble with the mister, you hear?"


"I don't plan on it." But Lexie knew trouble would follow and there was no avoiding it.



More weeks flew by as Lexie and Cook hustled to make the house right for a long absence. They would be able to keep the house in L.A., but Nick didn't envision them needing it when they could stay with Aaron and Jill if they ever returned. Lexie didn't want to sell right away, so he didn't put it up on the market but asked her to consider them at least leasing it out.


Nick's cars were packed and either prepared for shipping or storage. Nick didn't have time to decide what he was going to do with each one of them. The Prowler and one of the Porches were the only vehicles slated to go to Tampa. Lexie was hoping to buy a nice sedan when she finally got there. She was tired of Nick's testosterone machines.


Vicki called during those weeks and tentatively scheduled another pre interview when they were settled in Tampa. Jill and Aaron's daughter, Jane, returned in the middle of the month to stay with CJ and Lexie. She was kept busy packing and organizing CJ's toys and clothes. Nick's early arrival in L.A. was cancelled altogether, when he got a chance to do a small promo tour of the New York morning shows. CJ eagerly said goodbye to her friends on her last day of school and was picked up by Lexie so they could spend the night at Jill and Aaron's.


That last evening in L.A. was supposed to be spent with Jill and Aaron sharing pictures and treasures from their trip. No one expected Nick's mother and what she had to say.


"Mom." Aaron greeted her at the door.


"Are they here? CJ and Lexie?"


"Yes, we're taking them to the airport in the morning." He spoke, trying to not sound too cold. Her beef was with Nick, not with him, but he knew that Nick didn't want her near 'his girls' unsupervised.


"They are leaving. Can't I speak to Lexie before they go?"


"I'll have to ask her."


Aaron left his mother in the foyer and pulled Lexie aside and told her that Jane was there to see her. Lexie took it all in stride and went to speak to her.


"Oh, thank god." Jane sighed when she finally saw Lexie.


"What can I do for you?"


"I want to see CJ before you go. . ." Jane pleaded.


"I don't know. . ." Lexie sighed. She knew better than anyone that Nick didn't want her anywhere near CJ. "I figure it's really up to CJ. I'll go talk to her."


CJ, being more gracious than the adults, was somewhat eager to see her grandmother. She also told her in no uncertain terms that if Jane said anything mean about Lexie, she would have to go. It was all Aaron and Lexie could do to keep from laughing out loud.


The visit was pleasant enough and soon little Jane and Jill joined them. Jane left around midnight, happy for this reprieve with her granddaughter and possibly with her oldest son. CJ was even a little sad to be leaving her grandma, but was reassured that they could probably visit any time.


"Are you ready for this, little girl?" Aaron winked as Lexie stood outside Jane's room after tucking the girls into bed.


"I'm more than ready." Lexie smiled as they walked down the hall towards the guestroom. "Tomorrow, I get my new home and I get my husband back." She beamed.


"I'm happy for you, Lex. I'm happy for both you and Nick." Aaron embraced her in the hall. He kissed her chastely on the top of her head as he let go of her. "No two people deserve it more than you two."


"Thank you, Aaron. Thank you." Lexie smiled through brief tears of joy.



The next morning, Aaron, Jill, and Jane dutifully drove Lexie and CJ to the airport for a commercial flight to Orlando. Tears of happiness mixed with a little sadness spilled as everyone hugged goodbye in the terminal. CJ and Lexie made light of getting on the airplane and flying 'home'.


It was a long flight with two stopovers, and by the time they got to Orlando, CJ was tired and cranky. She grumbled all the way down the ramp to the gate and didn't lighten up until she saw her father waiting for her at the end.


"Daddy!" She squealed with delight as she pushed her way through other passengers to get into his open arms. He held her tight and spun around with her as they laughed. He set her down to take Lexie into his arms next.


"My god how I've missed you." He groaned into her ear. Lexie clung to him and could barely contain her tears of happiness to finally be in his arms.


Finally.


"Dad! Dad!" CJ bounced around their embrace. "Where's Grandpa and Poppy and Uncle Brian and. . ."


"Whoa, whoa, whoa, little girl!" Nick laughed as he let his arms relax around Lexie. "They are at Howie's house waiting for us!"


"Is everyone there?" She quizzed him.


"Yes, everyone! Even Uncle Kevin!"


"Really?!" CJ squealed.


"Yeah, even Uncle Kevin!" Nick laughed, reaching for Lexie's carry on. He leaned over and kissed her fully on the lips. "But you're all mine tonight." He purred.


"Yes, I am." She smirked back.


Nick took them to get their luggage and had them loaded into a hired car in no time. It would be reported to them later that their reunion had been so touching that no one felt like disturbing them. CJ actually fell asleep in the car, snuggled up to Nick's left side and he had kept Lexie snuggled up tight to his right.


"I made plans to go to Tampa tonight." He whispered softly to her.


"Tonight?"


"I signed the papers today and I have the keys. Howie is going to keep CJ for the night."


"Are you sure? You haven't seen CJ in . . ."


"I need to see you." He muttered as he pressed his lips against her temple. "I need you tonight, Lex."


The car pulled up in front of the Dorough house, and family poured from it. CJ woke up and at first couldn't decide whom to hug first, but she settled on Brian to start. Lexie made the rounds as well. Leah and Howie were finally able to herd everyone inside for a potluck dinner. Nick made their excuses just an hour later. CJ seemed content to stay with Howie and Leah as Nick pulled Lexie out of the house.


"What are you doing?!" Lexie declared as she stumbled toward the driveway with Nick pulling her along.


"We gotta go!" He laughed.


"That's another limo!" Lexie laughed as he pushed her gently inside.


"We've got another hour to get to Tampa, and I don't want to miss the sunset." He laughed as he followed her in.


Lexie had fallen sprawled on the leather seats and Nick collapsed on top of her, letting the driver close the door on them. He had been given his instructions, and the chauffeur knew where he was taking them.


It gave Lexie a whole hour to touch him and taste him and tease him and flirt with him again. The ride seemed to fly by between Nick's kisses and touches. They arrived at the house, which was lit from the inside, and Nick dismissed the driver from the front step.


"Oh, I don't believe this, Nick!" Lexie giggled as he slipped the key into the polished oak door and it opened with ease. Lexie took a step forward, but he caught her arm.


"Not so fast, Mrs. Carter." He laughed as he bent to scoop her up in his arms. He carried her boldly across the threshold and kicked the door closed behind them.


She squealed with delight as he carried her through the empty house, out the back patio door, and towards the boardwalk to the beach. He set her down at the top of the stairs, taking her in his arms and kissing her passionately.


"I have a surprise for you." He purred against her lips.


Nick took her hand and together they nearly ran down the stairs to the beach. Spread before them was a small picnic area with food and wine and plenty of blankets. They settled down in a bed they made of the blankets and sipped sweet wine from crystal glasses.


The sun set before them, eventually hiding itself under the horizon. Nick set aside their glasses and rolled her easily to her back.


"Welcome home, my love." He breathed before he kissed her. Cherished feelings of love and tenderness swelled inside of her, and she embraced him as never before.


Nick began to pull at her clothing, and she returned in kind. Bare skin became textured with goose bumps as the cool breezes would sneak under their blankets on the sand.


Lexie pulled his hair loose and let it fall as a curtain around her. His naked flesh pressed against her, and she eagerly opened herself to her husband. His body bucked above her, and she gave in to the feel of him and her need for him.


This constant ache of a need that was caused by him and satisfied only by him. She responded wildly to him, and he encouraged her release as they tossed about like stormy currents of the sea. He consumed her, and she surrendered to him as he simply gave her back what she had given to him.


Undying love.

Chapter 31 by old_archive

Nick woke to the sounds of the waves crashing on the shore. He sat up and pushed his untied hair from his face. Lexie was still asleep, gently snoring from her side of their makeshift bed.


They had returned to the house after making love one more time on the beach. The window of this master suite was open just enough to listen to the sounds he had longed to hear for years.


God, how I've missed this. Everything. The waves, her, my daughter. . .


His feelings so overwhelmed him that he suddenly couldn't imagine going on tour to promote the album. He couldn't bear to be away from any of them again. His emotions caught in his throat and his chest tightened.


"Nick?" Lexie mumbled as she reached out for him.


Nick saw her hand gently fall on his arm and his diamonds on her fingers sparkled up at him. Nick laid down and gently rolled her onto her back, settling his body lightly on hers.


"Lexie, wake up." He whispered. "Baby, I want to love you."


He slipped easily between her legs again and her dark eyes fluttered open as he pressed into her. She relaxed and let him love her, waking her gently with each movement of his body against hers.



Lovers woke everywhere together, but some were still kept apart by distance. Kevin walked the solitude of his Orlando house, cradling his cell phone as he rang to wake Sabrina.


"Hello?" She grunted in the phone.


"Sabrina?" He answered her.


"Kevin?!" She replied, her voice always a mixture of surprise and annoyance when he called her.


"Good morning." He smiled.


"Do you have any idea what time it is?" She grunted, but Kevin could hear the laughter hidden in her voice.


"I do and I wanted to catch you before you went to work." He smiled, suddenly realizing he was doing more of that since he met her.


"What do you want?" She asked, puzzled.


"I have no right to ask this. . ." He began.


Please ask. . .Sabrina hoped as she sat up in bed. From her bed, she could see the cityscape and suddenly remembered him mentioning it the last time he was there. The only time he had been there.


"I know that you're going on vacation starting on Saturday. . ." He continued.


Yes?


"Would you meet me somewhere? I'd. . .I'd like to see you again." He asked nervously.


Weeks of him calling and neither ever mentioning what had happened between them. Sabrina finally quit wondering why he called and just learned to treasure each conversation. They talked about everything, everything but them. Sabrina hadn't been able to let go of him as thoroughly as she would have thought. She had plenty of time to think of all the possibilities and all of the complications. There were times when she didn't care, like now, when his voice came through the phone and warmed the loneliest parts of her heart. She didn't know what prompted this turn of events, but suddenly, Kevin was ready to talk.


"Where did you have in mind?"


"New Orleans. If it's not too far for you. . ."


"No, that's fine." She agreed. Kevin let out the breath he didn't even know he was holding.


"I'll email you the hotel reservations and tickets."


"That's fine."


"I can't wait to see you again, Sabrina." She heard him profess.


"I can't wait to see you, too." She agreed.



"Are you going to tell Lexie?" Leah asked as she sat on the bed and watched Howie trim his beard.


"No way. That's AJ's job." He smirked.


"I don't think she'll have a problem with it, do you?"


"Well, she's married to Nick and told us to all 'get over it'. I don't think she's in the position to get her dander up about AJ and Tina."


"It's a shame Tina couldn't be here last night. . ."


"Hon, it'll be a while before we see her in public with AJ. She's not a real 'out there' kinda gal." Howie wiped his chin and then the rim of the sink, turning to hang the towel back up on the rack. "I certainly didn't hire her to hook up with AJ."


"Oh, How, you know that's not how it happened." Leah said with a roll of her blue eyes.


"Yeah, yeah." He sighed, rolling his eyes at her.


"Stop that!" She admonished him as he walked toward her. He placed his hands on her shoulders and gently pushed her back into the bed.


"Stop what?" He teased her with a kiss as he pressed his body down on hers. His hands began to tug at the tie of her robe, his lips making good on hers. Dark hands slipped over her silky skin as they made their way into her robe.


"Dad!" John's voice yelled, right after their bedroom door flew open. Both Howie and Leah jumped to their feet and adjusted their robes. "Oh man!" John groaned.


"What?" CJ asked as she rounded the corner.


"They are at it again."


"What?"


"All kissy-kissy." John moaned.


"Oh, yeah, Dad and Lexie are like that all the time, too." CJ shrugged as they both turned to leave.


"I gotta be at school early this morning, Dad!" John hollered at them as he headed down the hall to the stairs.


"Tell me again why we had children." Howie sighed.


"Just remember to keep telling yourself that you love your children." Leah sighed with him. "God knows sometimes I have to."



"So, is there a plan for today?" Lexie asked, as she and Nick stood barefoot in their currently empty living room. They had showered and dressed a while ago and then spent an hour trying to find enough stuff to at least make coffee.


"I have today and tomorrow off to get CJ settled into school for next week. We've a couple private schools close by we need to go check out. Most of our stuff should be here today. Your mom and dad sent the rest of your stuff over yesterday. The boxes are up in one of the spare rooms you were thinking of making an office."


"I can't decide whether to do that upstairs or downstairs."


"I don't care, but I've got some engineers coming tomorrow to design a recording studio in that loft over the garage."


"Okay. Did mom and dad mention when they might go to Paris?"


"No, not yet. I think your mom is afraid Caroline is too young."


"She's almost two. She'll be fine. They'll only be gone a week." Lexie shrugged her shoulders. "So, when the studio is done, will you work here instead of Orlando?"


"No. I don't think it'll be done until after this album is complete. I'm going to make the drive and come home every night."


"That's a long drive, Nick."


"Do you want me to stay in Orlando?"


"No! Of course not. I didn't move all the way out here to not see you every day!" She admonished him. "You're just being a stinker!"


"Yes, I am!" Nick laughed at her. "You ready for some breakfast? I'm starved!"


"I'm ready for some food, but not your smart ass." She reached down to slap his rear end, but he danced out of her reach.



After breakfast, Nick and Lexie visited two private schools in the Tampa area, before they decided on which one was best for CJ. It was promptly followed by a trip to a local car dealership, because as Lexie pointed out, he'd probably be driving the Porsche back and forth to Orlando; leaving her with nothing but the Prowler to drive.


"I told you to send another car." He groaned as she ordered the driver to take them to the local "auto row".


"I don't like any of those cars." She huffed.


"They are beautiful."


"Except for the over-powering smell of testesterone, they are just lovely." She added sarcastically.


"Lexie, you should have just sent another one. . ."


"I don't want one of those. I want a nice little sedan or something. C'mon, Nick. Please don't make me drive those . . .those. . .big boy toys any more. A truck or even an SUV. . .anything other than those. . .things. . ." She moaned. "Hey! I'll make it worth your while!" She laughed crawling over to straddle his lap. He laughed as she began to nibble down his neck.


"Okay, okay, okay! You win!" He continued to laugh as she ground against him suggestively. "What do you want?"


"A Lexus, with black leather seats and . . ."


"Jesus, you've given this some thought, haven't you?"


"I have a picture I clipped out at home." She smirked from his lap. "Please, baby, please?"


"I said, 'okay'. Tell the driver where to pull into." Nick laughed with a roll of his eyes.


Lexie called the driver and told him even what dealership to go to. They pulled in and were greeted instantly. Luckily, Lexie really did know what she wanted and was quick to point it out to Nick and then ordered the first salesman she saw to get her the keys. The four-door luxury sedan was tasteful, like she was, but loaded with amenities. Its black sheen was just calling her name and Nick paid for it without much hassle. They dismissed the driver and Lexie drove them toward home. Nick sat in the passenger seat, his arms and legs stretched out admiring her as she drove through town talking about all the places she wanted to go see as they drove by. She picked a quiet little place for lunch and they strolled up to the door hand in hand.


Lexie watched the deli clerk's face light up with recognition as Nick pulled off his sunglasses to squint at the menu board. She smiled and winked at her, then looked up at Nick.


"Why are you squinting?"


"I forgot my glasses." He said, continuing to squint up at the board. "Is that 'mango' shake?"


"No, it's marbled. . .vanilla and chocolate ice cream." Lexie giggled.


"That's fine. What do you want?" He asked. Lexie and Nick ordered soup and sandwiches as well as two "mango" shakes.


They were about half way through the meal and Lexie had commented on Nick's inability to eat without getting food on himself when mustard ran down his hand onto his sleeve.


"Oh, man!" Nick protested, putting down his sandwich and grabbing a napkin to wipe his arm off.


"Uh, excuse me?" Both Nick and Lexie looked up as they heard the third person. The young woman was polite as she asked, "Are you really Nick Carter?"


"Yes." He nodded, continuing to wipe himself off.


"I'm sorry. I shouldn't bother you. . ." The woman stammered.


"No, it's okay. What can I do for you?"


"I was just wondering...well...could I get an autograph?" She asked shyly.


"Oh, sure, no prob. You got some paper? I got a pen somewhere. . .oh here."


"Great, you remember a pen, but not your glasses." Lexie joked.


Nick pointed the pen at her as the woman laid down a piece of clean paper and Lexie just laughed a little harder as he crossed his eyes at her. He got the fan's name and they talked a bit and he signed the autograph. She left with a smile and a handshake.


"That was sweet." Lexie smiled as Nick picked up his sandwich again.


"That's me." He chuckled as he took another bite.


"When do you have to go back to the studio?"


"Monday."


"Monday?! Didn't Dad give you the week off? He knew I was coming in!" Lexie demanded.


"There isn't really any more time for time off if we're going to get this thing out this year." Nick explained.


"That's just great!" She huffed.


"Look, we still have today, tomorrow and the weekend. You'll be so busy moving us in you won't even miss me." He smiled until her hand came across the table to grab his.


"I miss you right now. I've been missing you for months." She choked.


"Baby, don't." He groaned.


"Just a little more time. . ." She muttered near tears.


"Sh, sh, don't!" Nick soothed, pulling her to her feet and into his arms. "Don't cry. Let's go." And he led her out of the deli and to her new car. He took her keys and put her in the front seat as he went around to get in the driver's side. "Lexie, please don't cry."


"I can't help it." She gasped, trying to hold herself together through this sudden torrent of emotion. She had assumed they had all of next week together. Nick started the car and pulled out into the light traffic. He reached out and held her hand and she clung to him. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry." She apologized as she wiped her eyes. "I swore I wouldn't do this."


"I'll be home every night, Lex, I swear." He reassured her.


"No, you won't. You guys work all night." She protested.


"No, we don't. AJ won't stay all night because of Alex and Brian hates it, too. We've been going to bed by 11 every night, I swear." Nick said with a light chuckle. "It's really kinda pathetic, actually."


Nick heard her chuckled a little as he drove.


"Oh yeah, you know us. The old, and I mean, old Backstreet Boys. AJ can barely make it to 10 p.m. without yawning. Brian, well, he's been married for way too long! Kevin? He gave up his night owl days years ago and you know Howie, what a party animal, he's home by 6 every night." Nick joked. "And in the morning? It takes us two cups of coffee to even get into the studio and we spend all that time bitching about our aches and pains. I love Brian, but if I have to listen about his irritable bowels one more day I'm gonna scream! Oh my God! Did you have any idea that Kevin has bunions? Jesus, they are gross!"


He could hear her laughing through her tears as he continued his drama.


"And Howie bitching about how Leah won't let him eat this or let him eat that, what a whiner! Oh, but here's the capper, and I don't know if I should be telling you this about AJ, but he's putting some gunk on his hair now. Shit, he hasn't had hair since. . .since. . .ever!"


"Nick, stop it!" Lexie laughed with a groan.


"Okay, I'm kidding about AJ. He's never cared about not having hair." Nick smiled across at her.


"I know." She nodded, wiping away her mixed tears of laughter and sadness.


"I love you, baby, don't cry, okay? It's gonna be okay." He reassured her softly as he squeezed her hand.


"I know, I know. I'm sorry." She nodded.


"Don't be sorry. Trust me, I understand completely." He brought her hand to his lips and kissed the back of it. With a twinkle in his eye, he gently slipped one of her fingers into his mouth and began to suck each one.


"Stop that!" She giggled even harder, pulling her hand away.


"I know we aren't expected to pick up CJ until much later tonight. We still have this afternoon. Let's go back to the house. I need to make love to you some more." He smiled, drawing the back of his knuckles down her cheek.


"I need that, too." She purred.

Chapter 32 by old_archive

"Grandma?" CJ asked as she helped pick up the tumbler Caroline had thrown on the floor. Howie saw Leah cringe at the 'grandma' comment.


"Yes, honey?" She replied sweetly.


"Why does she keep doing that!?" CJ exclaimed as Caroline's tumbler ended up on the floor again.


Caroline let out a wicked little laugh and pointed at CJ. The baby's dark curls contrasted CJ's light ones perfectly. Caroline was as dark as Howie, which was a change from how light the boys were. CJ's blonde hair and blue eyes were just beautiful and at times she looked so much like Nick. And sounded so much like him. And that little sideways smirk. . . that was all Nick. CJ let out a frustrated grunt as she went to pick it up again, but Leah took it from her.


"If she's throwing it down, then she must be done with it." Leah announced, but Caroline threw up her hands and reached for it as Leah passed it over her head. The baby let out a desperate cry. "Well, if you're going to drink it, that's fine, but I don't want it on the floor any more. You understand me?"


Caroline's dark eyes widened and she nodded 'yes' to her mother. Leah put the tumbler down and she grasped it in both hands bringing it to her pink lips.


"That's better." CJ sighed heavily.


"Come here, sweetie." Howie smiled as he patted his knee. CJ climbed up and he hugged her. "You're doing really well with baby Caroline."


"She's like my little sister." CJ smiled.


"Oh, I think you'll have your own little brother or sister some day." Leah smiled as she wiped off the table after dinner. Leah looked over at Howie who just rolled his eyes.


"I don't think so." CJ shrugged, not seeing the exchange of the adults.


"Oh? Why not?" Leah asked with concern.


"Lexie's too afraid. I don't think she'll have another baby with my Daddy."


"Why is she afraid?" Howie asked.


"Because of what happened with the other baby. I don't think she wants to be sad like that again."


"What happened with the other baby was an accident, CJ." Leah told her, but CJ just shrugged.


"What does your Dad say?" Howie asked.


"I don't know." She shrugged. "I wish they would have a baby, but I don't think they will."


Just then, Tyler broke into the kitchen and declared war on CJ's Barbies and they were out of the kitchen in a shot.


"That's so sad." Leah sighed, going to the kitchen to rinse the sponge and the sink for the final time.


"Do you really think they should have children at Nick's age?" Howie's mouth was speaking before he even realized what he had just said. Her look was enough to shut him up.


"I can see through your glass house, Mr. Dorough." She snapped at him. "It makes me sad that she might not experience having children and having a family."


"They have CJ."


"It's not the same."


"You had Lexie."


"It's still not the same. I love Lexie with all my heart and in my heart she is my daughter, but that feeling when I look down in my arms and see your face in all my children. . .it doesn't compare, Howie. It just doesn't." Leah's hands slipped gently through Caroline's sticky curls. "This little girl needs a bath."


"No!" She protested.


"Yes, you do!" Leah teased her back. Leah went to pick Caroline out of her high chair, but Howie stopped her.


"I'll do it tonight." He said softly and then he leaned forward and kissed her. "I love you, Leah. . .c'mon little bambina!" Howie laughed as he lifted her out of her chair. "Time for this stinker to get a bath."


"Nononononono!" Caroline protested playfully as Howie carried her from the kitchen to the kid's bathroom upstairs. She heard Howie call out for their oldest, John, to see if he finished his homework yet. When she heard John's distant reply, CJ and Tyler crashed into the kitchen again.


"Mom! CJ-the-stinker-butt took my GI Joe tank and hid it!" Tyler cried out.


"Don't call me that!" CJ screeched, giving him a shove and then he turned to shove her back.


"Stop it, stop it, stop it! If you two don't straighten up and play nice, you're both going to bed early!" Leah scolded them.


"My dad is coming to pick me up." CJ snorted.


"Not if I call him first." Leah said crossing her arms. "Go and play nice." CJ and Tyler stomped out of the kitchen, but not before Leah told them, "CJ give Tyler back his tank!"



CJ greeted her Dad excitedly as he and Lexie came in the door that evening. Howie instantly noticed how relaxed Nick seemed and how madly in love his daughter was with him. She glowed with contentment and he had a pang of guilt for keeping them apart these months with work. He could have just as easily rented a studio in L.A.


They belong together. . .


As Lexie slipped into his arms, he smelled the familiar sea salt fragrance she used to wear as a child. It might have been cruel to separate them, but at least he got her back, too.


"Hey, Daddy." She smiled, lightly kissing his lips. "Gosh, I've missed you." She groaned hugging him again. Howie closed his eyes and held her close.


She's my daughter. . .


"I've missed you, too." His voice cracked.


"Dad?" She queried him as she stood back a bit, but Howie just gave her a sad little smile. "I'm home now."


"I know, baby." He whispered, holding her again. She held on to him just as tightly and swayed to his gentle rocking. "Right where you belong."


Nick and CJ had moved inside the house and CJ called out to them from the kitchen.


"Your mother has some cheesecake." Howie smiled as he let go of her.


"My favorite." Lexie smiled and reached up, wiping his eyes. She leaned forward and kissed his cheek. "I love you, Daddy. Thank you for everything." Then she took his hand and they headed toward the kitchen where Lexie slipped easily into Nick's arms for a quick hug.



"So, is all my stuff there?" CJ asked from the backseat of the Lexus.


"Well, yeah." Nick mused as he turned in the passenger seat to talk to her. "But we only got your bed set up, nothing is unpacked."


"Okay. Am I going to school tomorrow?"


"No, not until Monday. I'm keeping you with me, little girl." He smiled, reaching back and patting her knee. She reached up and took his hand.


"Good, 'cause I missed you and Lexie last night, but Grandpa and Poppy said you had to work on the house." CJ sighed.


"Yes, we did." Nick smirked, looking over at Lexie who had a similar smirk as well.


"You know Poppy has a new girlfriend?" CJ asked.


"Who is it this week?" Lexie chuckled.


"Some girl named Tina."


"What?!" Lexie gasped looking over at Nick. "Oh, don't tell me it's that Tina."


"Well, actually it is." Nick smiled.


"When were you going to tell me that?"


"I don't know." Nick shrugged. "Didn't seem important. . ."


"Didn't seem important? My father is dating the Bride of Frankenstein and you don't think it's important?!"


"Oh, relax. AJ's been with other women before. . ." Nick began.


"A lot of women from what Uncle Brian said." CJ piped in.


"You stay out of this." Nick said to her.


"But Tina Ryans?"


"I didn't know you didn't like her."


"She's a great lawyer, but I wouldn't think of her as someone to date my dad." Lexie groaned.


"It's really none of your business." Nick added.


"That's what Poppy said. . ." CJ offered.


"CJ!" Both Lexie and Nick replied.


"I'm only telling what I heard!" She protested.


"I didn't teach you to eavesdrop on other peoples' conversations." Nick said.


"I didn't do that, I don't think. I was just under the bed with Tyler. . ."


"What were you doing under the bed with Tyler?"


"He was gonna show me the monster that John keeps telling him is in the closet. We were gonna bonk it on the head and then Uncle Brian and Uncle Kevin came in with Poppy. Uncle Kevin said his feet hurt and he wanted to lay down for a second and he came into Tyler's room. I can't help that!"


"You could have told them you were there." Nick scolded her.


"Then they might have got mad at us. They weren't supposed to be in Tyler's room anyway!" CJ defended herself.


"What else did they say about Tina?" Lexie asked.


"Lexie!"


"Well, she's gonna tell us anyway!" Lexie protested.


"They just said stuff about her being pretty and that she and Poppy slept together. . ."


"Oh, Jesus!" Nick groaned slapping his head with his hand.


"I think she's nice!" CJ said.


"Did you see her?" Lexie asked.


"No, but she sounded nice. She's got a daughter." CJ added quietly.


"She has two." Lexie sighed.


"AJ is so toast." Nick groaned.


"He didn't know they were in there." Lexie said. "You're in bigger trouble for not telling me in the first place."


"Me?! When did this become my fault?!" Nick protested.


"Nick! Don't you think you should tell me when my father is dating your lawyer?"


"Oh, now he's your father." Nick said sarcastically. "It's still none of your business."


"Excuse me? You are so wrong, mister!" Lexie warned him.


Nick wasn't going to win, because no matter how he looked at it, he was wrong. He finally gave up five minutes from the house and apologized to both of them for his imagined transgressions.



"That went well, huh, Alex?" AJ asked his son as they drove home from Tina's downtown condo. It was late and Alex had fallen asleep minutes into the car ride.


Tonight had been the night when they decided to meet each other's kids. They planned a rather family type evening. Tina's girls, Rebecca and Willow, were as different as night and day. Where Rebecca was bright and sunny and out going, Willow was not. She barely uttered a word all evening and AJ was worried that the girl didn't like him. AJ, of course, brought his secret weapon and little Alex pulled her right out until they were playing cars all over the living room and dinning room. It was Willow who decided that they had to race in the kitchen, because the vinyl was faster than the carpet.


Tina and AJ sat on the couch and barely said a word to each other all evening. They simply sat and watched the kids interact, filled with a sense of. . .wonderment? Belonging? Rightness? It was hard to say, but it was there and it felt good to both of them.


It was a school night, so Tina shuttled the two 15 year olds off to bed at 9 and he left shortly after with Alex. Her perfume still lingered on his hands as he brought them to his nose. So, this is what happiness smells like. Lord knows I know what it tastes like. He smiled. Tina had asked him one question tonight he didn't have an answer for.


"What about Lexie?"


It was a good question for which he had no answer. He didn't know how she'd react, but he didn't think she'd mind. Why wouldn't she want him to be happy? She certainly was and he knew what she was doing when she left early with Nick last night. She wasn't in the position to complain about his activities when she had married one of his best friends.


That stung and AJ knew he shouldn't think like that. Nick was madly in love with her and they were very happy together. Maybe he was more jealous of their happiness than angry about it. If that was so, then Lexie didn't have room to protest him being with Tina.


He deserved to be happy, too.



Perhaps it was the time and location change or maybe it was the fact that Kevin just wanted today to be over quickly, but Kevin had gotten everyone to the studio very early. He woke up afraid that this would be the longest Friday of his life.


The keyboards moved to Kevin's will with no effort at all. The music played for him and he kept the rest of the ensemble in tempo as they recorded the score for the one of the two final songs Nick was going to record. This one was a heartfelt ballad that Kevin was beginning to admire quite a bit.


He held them in the final note, letting it fade naturally to the end of the bows and breaths of the musicians and the final strain of the piano note.


Breathe. One. Two. Three. Four. Five.


Click.


"Beautiful, Kev, just beautiful." Brian's voice cracked over the speakers into the studio.


Kevin nodded his approval and released the musicians with a wave of his hand. He had no doubt that Nick would do the music justice with his voice.


"About ready for today to be over?" Brian smiled as Kevin joined him at the recording board.


Musically, no, he wasn't. He wanted to play forever, but he knew Sabrina would be waiting for him in New Orleans tomorrow. He didn't want to miss that either.


"Just about." Kevin nodded.


"Well, as early as you called everyone in today, it might be an early one. Give it a listen, but I think you'll be satisfied. . .hey, where are you going?" Brian asked as he watched Kevin get to his feet.


"I already heard it, Brian. Didn't you say today was over?" Kevin demanded as he looked at his watch. It was only 12:30 p.m.


"Uh, no. I said it might be an early day, though." Brian smiled. He noted his cousin's sudden need to leave.


"I have to go early. Got that meeting tomorrow."


"In New Orleans, right." Brian nodded as Kevin headed for the door. "Make it a half an hour lunch and I'll see that it happens.


Kevin only grunted as Howie passed him and entered the studio to talk to Brian.


"They done with that ballad today?" Howie asked.


"I think so. I want to mix it a bit more with Kevin. Should be ready for vocals on Monday. " Brian said, swiveling in his chair to face him.


"Where's AJ?"


"Tina's office, probably. He blew out of here pretty early since this is my piece and not his."


"Well, you and Nick can finalize it on Monday?"


"Yeah, no problem." Brian nodded.


"Good, then I'll see you then. . ." Howie said, turning to leave.


"Hey, D?"


"Yeah?" Howie asked, turning back to face him.


"Going home for lunch?" Brian smirked.


"Yes, I am." Howie smiled back.


"I'm going to Atlanta for the weekend. Just wanted to let you know."


"Anything wrong?"


"Oh no, not at all." Brian said with a wave of his hand and then a smirk crossed over his bright face. Howie couldn't help but smile back.


"So, what's up?" Howie chuckled, crossing his arms in amusement.


"I'm getting the distinct impression that I am the only one not getting any this weekend." Brian chuckled.


"Going to visit the wife, huh?"


"One thing about sharing a hotel with Nick, you sure grow to appreciate sleeping near someone who doesn't snore." Brian smiled.


"Sleeping, right." Howie laughed with a rise to his dark brows.


"Hey, we're getting too old for that kind of hanky panky." Brian teased, pushing himself up from his chair.


"Speak for yourself, Brother Brian. Speak for yourself." Howie laughed.



"Dad, what are you doing?" CJ asked her father as she found him sitting outside. His back was to her as he sat on the rockery, his feet dangling over the edge facing the water. She had been inside all day working on her new room.


"Trying to figure out where the doghouse is going to go."


"We're getting a dog?" She asked, completely puzzled by his statement.


"No, but I might need someplace to sleep over the next couple weeks." He sighed.


"Nice drama, Nick." Lexie said from behind them. He swung his legs back around and faced her with a smile.


"I tried to make it up to you last night." He said with the sloppy grin of his. "How did I do?"


"Just fine. You two ready for some lunch?"


"There's food?" Nick asked.


"No, that's why we're going out." She smiled.


"When are we going grocery shopping?" CJ asked as she and Nick moved toward Lexie and the inside of the house.


"Next week." Lexie smiled as she stepped aside to let them inside. Nick stopped and gave her a quick kiss on the lips.


"Why next week?" CJ asked.


"That's when Cook gets here." Nick smiled.


"Thank God! I thought you two would be doing all the cooking." CJ said suddenly and waited for them to turn toward her with stunned looks on their faces. She pointed and laughed and then ran inside with Nick and Lexie quick on her heels.

Chapter 33 by old_archive

Kevin's hands were ice cold and he was actually nervous, not excited. He was scared.


So many times he has pondered what his actions would do to his wife and children if they ever found out, but it was a moot point. He knew Kristen already knew and so did the other guys, although they never talked to him about it. He wasn't sure about his sons, but he thought Jake had strong suspicions. Jake was the one son who questioned everything Kevin did and Kevin felt he was the one boy who seemed to strangely understand him more than the others.


He couldn't explain it, but he felt human in Jake's eyes.


As he sat in his hotel room, waiting for Sabrina to call him, he wondered if they would make love again. He had sampled her sweetness and he regretted his situation.


She deserves better. Better than me.


Kevin had never thought that before. His lovers had always been about him and if he was honest, it was also about hurting Kristen like she had hurt him. It hadn't started until then. Ten years later and he couldn't even look at himself in the mirror. He wasn't proud of who he was and it was time for redemption, even if it came in the arms of a smart little brunette.


The knock came and he rose quickly to answer it. He opened the door and she was there. Her presence knocked the wind out of him.


"I shouldn't have had you come." He said. The words were out before he could stop them. Her eyes shadowed with the sudden realization of the pain his rejection caused.


But he had asked me to come. . .


"I'm here now. I suppose it's too late for you to change your mind." She said dryly as she entered his suite anyway. She turned on him and finished by saying, "Close the door, Kevin."


"I'm sorry, Sabrina. I don't know what I'm saying." He stammered.


"They say those are the moments when men are the most honest."


"You were right. That first night. I have done this a lot." He confessed. "I've cheated on my wife a lot."


"I know. I'm not blind." She agreed.


"I. . .I. . ." He began.


"What?"


God, please don't make me look like a complete fool. I rushed 3,000 miles to be with this man at his asking. Oh, Jesus, this is where he tells me it was all a big mistake. I . . .I can't do this. . .


Sabrina didn't know how, but she willed the billowing tears away and waited for him to speak. To say something. Anything.


"I want this to be different." He said softly. "I don't want to cheat on my wife. I just want to be with you, Sabrina. I can't do this any more."


"Oh, Kevin. . ." She groaned as she watched the defeat wash over him. She loved him too much to watch him suffer.


Kevin looked up to see the emotion flutter across her face and he couldn't believe what he saw there. Even she seemed surprised by it, as if she didn't know until that moment she loved him. Kevin knew. He knew she loved him and he had fallen in love with her. Long phone conversations spent talking about everything under the sun, except for any chance they might have. The one night spent in her arms. . .it had all formed this perfect plan and he had fallen right into it.


Hundreds, thousands, millions of times he had told himself it couldn't be true. He was too old and she was too young. These things only worked out for other people like Nick, not him. Never him. He watched his trembling fingers reach to touch her soft cheek and his whole body relished in the opportunity to just be in her presence.


"I love you, Sabrina." He whispered hoarsely. "But I need you to save me from myself."


"It's only fair, since you saved me." She agreed softly and then she stepped closer to him. She stood so close that his chin was nearly on his chest as he looked down at her. "I'm going to kiss you, is that okay?" She asked him.



Monday morning came and the coffee talk was about how short the weekend was for everyone. Kevin seemed like the most reluctant to be there, followed shortly by Nick. Brian was too jet lagged to care where the hell he was, although Leighanne would be coming to Orlando the following weekend to spend time with him, if not to go shopping with Leah. Howie and AJ's faces were bright with rest and good cheer and they rallied the troops and got them to work.


"Oh man!" Nick groaned as he leaned over a rail on the deck of the fifth floor lunch room. "Fresh air."


"It is good, isn't it." Kevin agreed from beside him.


"You glad to be back? Here in the states?"


"Yeah. Food is stuff I understand." Kevin chuckled quietly.


"Been to the ranch recently?"


"Yeah. . .a while ago. Dropped in on the family."


"How was New Orleans?" Nick mused as he teetered a bit over the rail.


"Fine."


"Someone new?"


"Don't, Nick."


"Just askin'." Nick shrugged. "We haven't really talked in a while."


"And that's fine."


"Whatever." Nick sighed, standing up straight. He pushed his ponytail over his shoulder with an easy flick of his wrist. "Why don't you just get a divorce?"


"I. . .can't." Kevin said quietly.


"Why not? Look, everyone knows you and Kristen haven't gotten along in years. What is the point of being miserable?"


"I still have a son at home."


"But you're never home, so what is the point?"


"Would you just up and leave CJ like that?" Kevin challenged him.


"No." Nick shook his head.


"Is it so hard to believe I won't leave my son?"


"I guess not." Nick conceded. "But what are you really teaching him? Don't you want Duane to know it's okay to be a man and be happy?"


"You don't understand." Kevin waved him off.


"I don't know, it seems crystal clear to me." Nick shrugged absently.


"I promised Kristen I'd stay until he was older." Kevin turned away from Nick as he spoke. He lifted his eyes to look out onto SDR's corporate campus.


"He's what? 11-12 now? You gonna wait until he's 18? You have plenty of money to support them both."


"He needs a father."


"He needs a father that is happy."


"Why am I having this conversation with you?!" Kevin suddenly demanded angrily as he turned to glare at Nick.


Nick knew instantly what Kevin saw in him. He saw the same gangly 14 year old he went on tour with all those years ago. He saw the same stupid kid Nick had always been. Kevin's opinion of Nick has never changed.


"Because I'm a man now, Kevin, and I'm a father and I've been in a crappy relationship that brought me nothing but pain. Hey, buddy, been there, done that." Nick snapped back at him. "Look at me, Kevin. I'm not 18 years old any more. I've done a little living in the last 45 years."


"You can't tell me anything I don't already know." Kevin said quietly.


"Then tell me something I don't already know." Nick shrugged, leaning lazily against the rail again in the afternoon Orlando sun.


"Duane isn't my son."



"Hello? Earth to Nick!" Lexie laughed as she flung the rest of the Chinese take out containers in a garbage sack. "Baby, what's up with you? You are just not here tonight." She stood with her hands on her hips. CJ had left them to rearrange her room again and to finish unpacking.


"Really? Oh, gee, I'm sorry." Nick stammered as he got off the ledge of the empty pool. "I'm sorry, honey." And he took her shoulders and kissed her quickly on the lips.


"Is something wrong? Is there something you want to talk about?" She asked, setting the bag aside. His dead silence confirmed that for her. "Well, if I use all my 20 questions, will you give me 20 more?"


"No, no. It's not about us." Nick sighed as he ran his hand over his hair. He ran it all the way down the tail and flipped it back and forth a couple times.


"Is it really bad?"


"No, I'm not sure I've digested it all, though."


"Is it about Dad or AJ?"


"No, no, they are fine." He sighed raising his eyes to hers. "It's Kevin. I talked to him today."


"Really? Is he okay? What about Jake?"


"No, no, everyone is fine." Nick groaned.


"Did he make you promise not to tell?"


"No, actually he didn't. . .I don't think you're gonna believe this, Lex." Nick took her hand and led her to the far corner of the deck.


"Nick, what is it?"


"Well, I started talking to Kevin at lunch. He took a trip to New Orleans this weekend."


"And?"


"Honey, I don't know if you know this about Kevin or not, but he's. . .he's not faithful to Kristen."


"Well. . ." She sighed.


"What do you know?" He demanded softly.


"Not much, only what Jake suspects and I'm not even totally sure what Jake actually knows. He thinks his dad sleeps around." Lexie confessed.


"Well, he does. Has for years, well about 11 to be exact." Nick sighed as he slumped against the deck rail and crossed his arms.


"That's really sad." Lexie sighed with him. "Why don't they just get a divorce? I mean, what's the point of carrying on like this for 11 years?"


"Lex, Kristen hurt Kevin really badly 11, almost 12, years ago. Apparently, she had the affair first."


"Oh, no. I don't think Jake even suspects that."


"He probably doesn't, because Kevin promised to keep her secret."


"What the hell for?"


"He loved her and she was pregnant."


"Oh. . . my. . ."


"Duane isn't Kevin's son."


"Holy shit!" Lexie gasped. "Why the hell did he tell you all of that for? Jesus, what did you guys get into?"


"I had no idea, Lex!" Nick threw up his hands. "I made a crack about him going to New Orleans to meet someone new and he blew me off. I went on to say he should just get a divorce and then he really jumped down my throat. I reminded him that I'm not a kid any more and that I understood about being a father and being in a bad relationship and then bam, he just told me."


"I still don't understand why he told you at all."


"Here's the clincher. This 'new one' he was with in New Orleans? He's in love with her, I mean, really in love with her and she apparently loves him, too. He didn't come right out and say it, but I think he wants to be with her for like. . .ever." Nick said eagerly. "Oh, and that's not the best part. She's 20 years younger than he is, hell, maybe even more than 20 years."


"Well, I'll be." Lexie smiled as she crossed her arms over her chest. "Well, duh, that's why he told you. Look at us." She waved her hand between the two of them. "He's looking for some guidance from you."


"Oh, no, not Kevin." Nick said with a roll of his eyes. "Kevin does not come to me for advice."


"He is now." She smiled. "So, what did you tell him?"


"I told him to go for it. He didn't owe Kristen anything, but he does love Duane. I mean, he did raise him as his own and Duane doesn't know Kevin isn't his father."


"They could still divorce and not tell him."


"I know, but right now you and I are the only two people who know."


"What about Duane's father?"


"Kevin doesn't know who it is."


"He doesn't? It isn't. . ."


"What?"


"The father isn't one of you guys, is it?"


"You read too much fan fiction, you know that?!" Nick threw up his hands. "No, it's none of us!"


"I do not! Besides, you once admitted you thought Leighanne was attractive." She pointed out.


"I was 17 years old, everything with big boobs was attractive!" Nick declared. "That's not what we're talking about. None of us slept with Kristen!"


"Well, what's he gonna do?"


"I don't know for sure, but I think he's going to leave Kristen one way or another. He's really in love with this woman, whoever she is."

Chapter 34 by old_archive

The weeks that followed dropped the Carter family into a comfortable routine of work, school, and decorating. No one could deny how much happier Nick was with being able to go home every night and be with his wife and daughter. It showed where it mattered. In the music.


Victoria Winslow called, making tentative plans for their interview that kept getting changed. Lexie joked with her that she could just say "Don't call me, I'll call you."


Messages flew between Marty, Lexie's PI in L.A., and her. He still found tidbits of information, but nothing about the boy's father or even Christine's real name.


"It's like she didn't exist before her first modeling contract." Marty had told her. "I've had people talk to her old acquaintances, and while she made a brief appearance after she and Nick broke up, she vanished again about a year later."


"Any idea why? I mean, she and Nick have been apart longer than the four years the boy has been around."


"Sorry, sweetheart, but I've got no idea." He sighed heavily.


Lexie had seen how sick she was, and reports had indicated that she rarely left her apartment these days. Lexie knew she had to make a decision and make it quick.


"You're up late." Nick's musical voice mused from her home office door.


"Nick!" Lexie gasped as Nick startled her out of her thoughts. "Is it that late already?" She looked at her watch.


"Yes, it is." He smiled softly. "Whatcha' working on?"


Lexie looked up at the computer as he came closer and closed one window, the latest message from the PI, leaving another up.


"I'm looking at this showing at the MacFey Gallery in New York. Nice primitive. . ." She began as he came to look over her shoulder.


"Oh, don't start. I never know what you're talking about." Nick laughed as he threw up his hands and sat on the edge of the oak desk.


"The show is going on for another week. . ." She sighed.


"You want to go?"


"Could I? I mean, I know you probably don't want to go."


"I know I don't want to go, but you could go." He leaned over and kissed the top of her head. "Why don't you make arrangements?"


"It'll just be for like two days. . ."


"I know, I know." He got to his feet, straightening his back and stretching. He gave out a great yawn and then his arms dropped to his side. "It's safe to assume you want to go; that's why you brought it up."


"I'd love to go." Lexie smiled up at him.


"Go. I'll miss you, but I'd just be a pain in the ass if I went with you." He returned her smile.


"Thanks, Nick." She smiled, getting to her feet and hugging him. "You're the best, you know that?"


She prayed he would understand. Understand what she was going to do. He kissed her sweetly on the lips, not knowing that when she returned from New York nothing was ever going to be the same again.



The recent headaches were intensely painful. Howie wanted to just screw his life away to get away from the stress of running the record company, but then one of children would walk by and he'd remember why he was doing this in the first place.


Leah soothed his boiling forehead with cool rags and medication for days on end, but they still hung on. She finally convinced him to go to the doctor, and he just knew what she would say when she heard what the doctor had said.


"Retire. Quit. We have plenty of money. I want you at home."


Howie also knew he couldn't do that, even though the pain growing in his temples just might convince him to listen to her.


"Howie, I warned you this might happen. You're having small, very small, vascular events in your brain now. You need to take some time to rest. To heal."


Howie steeled himself as he walked through the halls of "Sweet D Records," greeting the employees and heading toward his office. He'd have to prepare his assistant, Michelle, for his leave of absence. He'd have to convince her that he'd be back after he named an interim President and CEO, even though he doubted he would be back.


"You look like crap." Michelle smiled brightly as he returned her grin with a weak one of his own. That was the first sign to her that something was wrong. He took her arm and steered her toward his office.


"We have to talk." He said slowly.


Michelle went with him into the office and took a seat as he closed the door. He took a seat next to her, instead of sitting behind his desk. He rested his head in his hand for a moment and then rubbed his eyes.


"Howie?"


"I got to take some time off, Michie. I don't have a choice." He spoke softly.


"What did the doctor say?"


"I'm having bleeders again. I have to rest and heal."


"Then that's what you have to do. . ."


"I need to tell you. I don't think I'm going to come back." He admitted.


"What?! You're going to sell the company?"


"I'm not sure, actually." He sighed, still unwilling to look at her as he continued to rub his eyes. "This is the first time I've said it out loud." He finally looked up at her. "I'll find someone to run things for a while. Maybe six months and then we'll see what the options are. It's my company, and I had wanted to leave it to my children. I hoped that maybe one day, John might run it. . ."


"It's more important that he have his Dad."


"I won't let anything happen to you. You've been invaluable to me and SDR. I want to protect everyone here."


"I know." She swallowed hard. He reached over and covered her small hand with his, giving it an affectionate squeeze.


"Hell, I've told you before I told my wife." He chuckled dryly.


The little blonde only nodded, unable to say another word. Howie knew it would harder to tell her than Leah.



True to Howie’s prediction, Leah was not only relieved, but wanted him to start his leave earlier than 30 days from now. They would have the family over and tell them this weekend. Right now he was in bed early, waiting for the pain medication to kick in. Caroline had fallen asleep in his arms, and they were resting together in their bed. The boys were out playing when she heard the front door open.


"John, Tyler. Be quiet, your father is resting. . ." She called out softly.


"Okay, but he's been dead a while." She heard AJ call back softly.


"AJ McLean!" She gasped, slipping into his arms for a hug.


"Hey, good-looking! What's shaking?!" He kissed her cheek. "I swear you and Howie are the only multi-millionaires I know who leave the front door unlocked."


"That's just so the kids can get in and out. You want to stay for dinner, there is plenty. Where's Alex?"


"He's with his grandparents this weekend." AJ smiled. "Suzanna's parents." He explained.


"Oh, that's right. " She nodded.


"So, you'll have a dinner guest." AJ smiled as he took a seat at the kitchen table. "Where's D?"


"He's resting. He's got a terrible headache."


"Yeah, he's been having them awhile. He didn't say what the doctor said, though."


Leah let out a sigh as she reached for a coffee cup for him, pouring him a cup.


"It's that bad?"


Leah set the cup in front of him and took the seat next to AJ. She pushed her long blonde hair off her shoulders and then rested her elbows on the table.


"He's having bleeders, ones they are pretty sure they can heal up with medication." She said softly. "We're going to tell the family the day after tomorrow. Have them over for a Saturday afternoon. He'll be taking a leave of absence from SDR."


"Really? How long?"


"So far? At least 6 months."


"Who's going to run the show?"


"We don't know yet. He's pretty sure he'll name Steve Russell, his Senior Vice President, to run the company in the interim."


"He's a good man." AJ mused with a nod of his head.


"I think so, too. He's going to give him 30 days for the transition." Leah sighed. "I just wish he'd leave earlier. I don't want anything to happen to him."


"No one does, Leah." AJ reached out and gave her hands a squeeze. "Have you told Lexie or the children?"


"No, we're going to have her and Nick over Friday night. Lexie is going to a showing in New York this weekend."


"She won't want to go once she hears about Howie."


"There's nothing she can do, so she might as well go. I mean, he just needs to take the time off and rest."


"You're worried sick. I can tell." AJ sighed.


"Of course I am." She choked.


"Oh, honey, don't cry. If you start, then I'm gonna start blubbering, and it's all just going to be a mess." AJ joked lamely, rubbing her back.


"I won't, I promise." She smiled back weakly. "Thanks, AJ."


"No prob, Leah." He winked.



"So, you'll pick CJ up at school on Friday?" Nick asked over dinner.


"Yes, then meet you in Orlando."


"We should just spend the weekend in Orlando, Dad. I mean, Lexie's gonna be gone, so we could hang out there." CJ announced.


Nick arched a brow at her, "Hmmm, that might be a good idea. I do think Leighanne is coming from Atlanta for Saturday's get together at Howie and Leah's."


"I can't believe they won't reschedule." Lexie groaned.


"It's no big deal." Nick shrugged.


"This is all of a sudden, don’t you think? You don't think something is wrong, do you?" Lexie asked.


"I don't think so." Nick shrugged around a mouthful of Cook's chicken dumplings. "Just sounded like a hangout kinda deal."


"Maybe we could stay with Grandpa and Grandma." CJ added.


"You really don't want to be here this weekend with me, do you?" Nick chuckled.


"Everyone I know is in Orlando." She sighed.


"You just want to flirt with all the boys." Nick teased her.


"Dad!" She groaned loudly, putting her head on the table.


"Nick, stop teasing her!" Lexie laughed, but she and Nick were cracking up at CJ's dramatics. "You guys could go doing something fun in Orlando. Why don't you just get a room?"


"Okay, okay. We'll get a room." Nick nodded as he stabbed at the food on his plate.


"What about staying with AJ?" Lexie asked.


"Naw, Alex is with his grandparents this weekend. He's going to. . .uh. . ." Nick stammered.


"He's gonna have Tina over." CJ smirked.


"Young lady. . ."Nick warned her.


"It's true!" She declared.


"Please don't remind me." Lexie groaned.


AJ did finally tell Lexie and was surprised that she wasn't more accepting. Lexie's attitude hadn't been anything more than lukewarm platitudes. AJ was hoping she'd be happier for him, but she turned out to be rather reserved. The other guys chalked up to the fact that she was his 'dad', but Nick figured AJ wasn't accepting that answer.


"Lexie, don't. AJ and Tina are very happy together."


"Very?" She said dryly.


"Yes, very." He corrected her. "You're just jealous, you know that."


"I'm what?!" She gasped. "You've lost your mind."


"No, I mean it. Why else can't you be happy for them?"


"No one would like to see AJ with someone more than I would, but why her? She's just. . .not what I'd expect from him."


"What? She's smart? Intelligent?" Nick smiled. "You're just used to seeing him with other kinds of women."


"Bimbos." CJ piped in and Nick slowly turned his head toward her. "That's what Grandpa said."


"You know, I've really got to talk to all of those guys." Nick sighed.


"I don't dislike her." Lexie said defensively.


"Coulda fooled me."


"I just don't think she's the right woman for AJ."


"You mean for your 'dad'." Nick said to her.


"You're being a pain in the ass." She warned him.


"Did you buy that doghouse yet, Dad?" CJ asked him. "Looks like you're about to move in."



Howie was nervous. He didn't want to tell Lexie he was sick again. Then again, it wasn't a big deal, really. He'd get better in time.


He had been glad that Leah had told AJ, because he didn't have the heart. She told him he looked shocked, worried, and very sad when she said it. He didn't think he could bear to see that on his friend's face. He also didn't want to see it on his daughter’s face, either. Or Nick's. Or anyone's.


Oh, crap.


"It's going to be okay." Michelle said quietly as she set a bottle of water in front of him at his desk.


"Yeah, she's not your daughter." He sighed, looking up. She simply arched a dark brow at him in agreement.


Later that afternoon, Howie and Nick drove to the house and waited for the girls to show up. He didn't think Nick suspected anything because they had sworn AJ to secrecy.


Nick was quick to scramble into comfortable clothes and play basketball in the court in the backyard with the boys as he made the excuse to stay and help Leah with dinner. Nick and CJ were going to be their houseguests for the weekend, which was fine with both Howie and Leah. It would be better to have family close and Nick was family now, not that he ever wasn't.


"Nick should be more careful." Leah sighed, watching him play with the boys from the kitchen. "He's not a kid any more."


"He's always been a kid. A big kid. He'll be fine." Howie sighed.


"I'm sorry, honey. I know you want to be out there with the boys."


"I will again. Don't worry." He smiled weakly, kissing her cheek. He looked out the back window and watched John hang from Nick's back. In no time, John would be taller than Howie. God, time flies. . .


"Dad? Mom?" They heard Lexie call as she walked in the front door.


"We're in the kitchen!" Howie responded.


"Hi, Grandpa!" CJ squealed, throwing herself into his arms.


"Hey, pretty girl." He laughed as she moved from him to Leah.


"Where's my dad?" She asked eagerly.


"At the court in the back." Howie pointed out.


"Okay! See ya!" She laughed, running to join Nick and the other kids.


"Not much of a 'how do you do'." Howie laughed.


"Not when her dad's around." Lexie laughed with him as she slipped into his arms. "She's looking forward to this weekend with him."


"Can't you cancel your trip?" Leah asked.


"No. This is the last weekend of the showing. I really want to see this." Lexie smiled, not really seeing the exchange between her parents as she sat at the kitchen table. "Besides, I'm sure y’all have that much more fun without me! I know those two will."


"That's not true." Leah said.


"I'm kidding, Mom. They need some time together, and I need some time alone." She sighed.


Howie sat down across from his daughter, watching her speak with her mother. Leah was the best mother Howie could have picked for her and all of his children. He must have done something right at some point, he thought, as he watched her slim form move around the kitchen while the two women chattered.


She and Lexie were back to their regular trips to the salons, and Leah's hair was nearly the same natural blonde it was when they met. They had both gotten their hair trimmed and their nails done. They were even taking CJ and Caroline to "start them young."


Leah's honey-colored hair laid curled gently down her back. Very loose today, because that's how he liked it. She was one of those women who could retain their figure after having children, so she was as beautiful as the day he first met her. Regardless of what she thought, he remembered it like it was yesterday.


"Earth to Dad." Lexie snapped her fingers in his face.


"Huh?!" He was startled from his memories.


"It's quite a shindig tomorrow, huh?" She smiled.


"Yeah, real big." He nodded. "I'm going to go get the boys cleaned up. Dinner about done?"


Howie got to his feet and headed toward the back door without waiting for a response. He knew her routine well enough, he knew it was time to eat. He hustled the kids and Nick into the house to clean up, and they all settled down for dinner.


After the loud family dinner, Nick followed a distracted Howie into his study. Nick instantly remembered the night of Lexie's birthday when he had joined her in here to reassure her about Howie and AJ. He remembered the irresistible pull she had on him that he had to kiss her temple. Had it really begun that far back?


"Earth to Nick." Howie joked as they each headed toward the leather chairs in the corner around the fireplace.


"Oh, hey." Nick chuckled. "Just daydreaming, that’s all." He smiled as he took a seat across from Howie. "You okay, D?"


"Yeah, yeah." Howie sighed with a wave of his hand.


"Are you sure?" Lexie asked from the doorway where she stood with her mother. "You seem very distracted."


"Where are the kids?"


"They’re in the theatre watching a movie." Leah said, leading Lexie into the dark wood room.


"Okay. I need you two to sit down." Howie sighed, getting to his feet to lead them to the dark leather couch.


"Dad, what is it?" Lexie was suddenly very anxious.


"There is something I need to tell you, but I don't want you to tell anyone until tomorrow. AJ already knows, as does Michelle at the office." Howie began. He stood behind a chair, gripping the back until his knuckles turned white.


"Howie. . ." Nick began.


"No, no. It's not too bad. I'm taking a medical leave of absence from the record company. . ."


"What?! What for?!" Lexie demanded, moving to the edge of her seat.


"I went to the doctor this week and there's been some bleeding. Not a lot, but enough that I need to take some time off." He sighed, not looking at them.


"Are. . .are you okay?" Lexie asked, her voice suddenly so small. That made her father look up into her dark eyes.


"Oh, yeah, baby. In time and with medication, they will heal up. I'm asking Steve Russell, my most senior VP, to step in for the next six months, and then we'll see where things are at." Howie nodded. The shock and silence was thick in the room until Howie continued, "There shouldn't be any bearing on your project, Nick, or any other future projects. SDR will run like it always did."


"Not like always. It won't be the same without you. You care for the people there." Nick said firmly.


"Steve is a good guy."


"He's not you." Nick muttered, knowing that Howie was the reason he was recording and creating music at all. He was the only one willing to take the risk, and he did it out of love, regardless of what the contract said. Howie had given Nick back his will and his desire and his dreams. It wouldn't be the same without him there every day.


"When does your leave start?" Lexie asked.


"In 30 days, give or take. I need to get Steve and Michelle settled and get some other people in place. I won't be working full time after today, but I'll still be around." Howie smiled. "You're my new cash cow. I'm not letting you out of my sight, Kaos."


"I'm not going anywhere." Nick agreed.


"So, AJ knows?"


"Yes." Leah stood behind Howie, her arms around his waist.


"Is Tina taking care of things still?" Lexie asked.


"Yes. SDR needs her. I'm not thoroughly convinced the company is any danger, but it never hurts to have a couple of guard dogs around. I'm sure she'll make a good sentry." Howie smiled at his daughter. "You don't like her, do you?"


"Why do people keep saying that?!" Lexie groaned, getting to her feet. She crossed the distance between them and put her arms around him. "It's not true."


"Of course it's not, baby. Of course, it's not." Howie mused against her ear.

Chapter 35 by old_archive

"Okay, call me as soon as you get to the hotel, okay?" Nick whispered softly in her ear. She could feel the public eyes on them in the airport terminal.


"I will, I promise." She nodded as she stood tucked in his arms.


"I'm going to miss you, but have fun." He smiled, leaning back to look down into her face. "I love you."


"Love you." She smiled back as his lips fell gently on hers. He let go of her and gave her a little pat on the rear as she turned and headed toward the gate. She wagged her finger at him, and he shrugged innocently.


Lexie was leaving on an early morning flight to New York from Orlando. She had asked AJ to borrow his plane, but he already had plans for him and Tina with it and he wasn't going to be anywhere near New York. She had tried not to cringe when he told her. So, she bravely boarded the commercial flight and took a seat in first class. She fastened her seat belt and pushed to the back of her mind the real reason she was going to New York and the fact that she was also lying to Nick. She had never done that before.



The driver looked back at Lexie and asked her, "Are you sure, lady?"


"Yes, take me to that address." She insisted. Lexie had a limo take her luggage to the Waldorf Astoria Hotel, and she flagged down this cab to get to Christine's apartment. The cabby looked at her from head to toe in her designer suit and at the diamonds flashing on her hands.


"No offense, lady, but this isn't the best neighborhood."


"Are you going to take me or not?" Lexie insisted.


"No, no. I'll take you." He sighed.


The ride was as bad as it got in New York City, but she had done it before. She watched the richer and newer city fade roughly into old neighborhoods, some that had been run down for generations. He stopped in front of a weather-worn Brownstone in what was obviously a poor, poor neighborhood nearly 30 minutes after leaving JFK.


"Are you sure?" She asked him as she looked out onto the garbage-strewn streets.


"Yes, ma'am. That's the building on this address. You want me to wait?"


"No." She said as she reached into her purse to pay him cash. She left him the change as she stepped from the cab, headed out onto the street and up the stairs to the building he indicated.


Lexie thought she should have to be buzzed in, but the buzzer was gone. She reached for the boarded up front door and it came open as she pulled it. It opened into a dark, garbage strewn hallway that she timidly entered.


2A.


She probably had to go up to the next floor. She headed for the stairs and made her way through the dankness and filth. 2A was at the very top of the stairs. She rapped her knuckles on the dirt stained door. Lexie heard footsteps on the other side, then they went away quickly and then they returned with a loud scraping noise. Lexie knocked again and a small voice said, "In a minute!"


The locks came undone from the other side and the scraping noise was heard again. The door opened slowly and Lexie kept her eyes trained on the opening. The light bled through the door and she startled when she finally looked down to see who was opening the door.


It was a small child; a boy. He had dark curly hair and the biggest green eyes she had ever seen.


Scotty?


"Is your mommy home?" Lexie asked.


"Who are you?"


"My name is Lexie."


Fearlessly, he stepped back and opened the door wide for her.


"My mommy is sleeping. She's sick, but you can come in." He said. Lexie walked into the clean and neat little apartment.


"Scotty?" A weak voice came from the distance. He ran off in that direction, leaving Lexie with the door wide open. With a small grin, she closed and locked the door and walked deeper into the apartment.


"There is a lady here. She's a pretty lady." Lexie heard the boy announce.


"Who? Who's here?! How could you let someone in?!" She scolded him sternly. "I've told you not to talk to strangers!"


"She's a lady, though." He protested.


Lexie heard some scuffling and then with her robe wrapped around her, Christine appeared in the hall where Lexie was standing, trying to tie a scarf around her head.


"Lexie?" She gasped, freezing at the sight of her.


Lexie took a deep breath, "Hi, Christine."


"I'm. . .uh. . .what are you doing here?" Christine asked through her shock.


"I came to talk to you."


"Where is Nick? I don't understand." She groaned, pressing her palm to her forehead.


"Nick's not with me. . .do you need to sit down?" Lexie stepped forward and helped her to the couch.


Scotty had come to her side as well, scrambling up into her lap.


"I don't understand. Why are you here? How did you find me?" Christine asked as she finally looked up at Lexie.


Lexie watched as she pulled Scotty close into her embrace, holding him tightly. He relaxed and then turned those eyes on her.


"I came to see how you were doing." Lexie sighed. "I hired a private detective to find you."


"You what?!"


"You didn't contact us after the meeting."


"Nick made himself perfectly clear." She snorted.


"I know, but I'm hoping we can change his mind."


"We?"


"Listen to me, okay? This is going to sound really crazy, but just hear me out, okay?" Lexie pleaded. "Nick and I have moved to Tampa. There is a pool house, more than big enough for you and Scotty. . ."


"What are you saying?" Christine cut Lexie off.


"I'd like you to consider coming down there."


"Does Nick know about this?" Christine asked and for the first time, Lexie dared to look into her blue eyes. So much like CJ's. . .


"No, he doesn't. . .yet. . .I'll work on that."


"He made himself perfectly clear in L.A. I've seen him angry. . .he doesn't want this."


"Don't worry about Nick. I'll take care of Nick." Lexie insisted. A thick silence fell over the women. "How much longer. . ."


"Do I have? Not much. . .two maybe three months if I'm lucky. "She whispered. "I try to keep going for him, but. . ." Her thin shoulders shrugged under her old robe.


"Have you made arrangements?"


"I've talked to social workers, so he'll get foster care. I pray he'll get adopted, but he's too old. . ."


"I'd like you to consider me and Nick again. . ."


"Nick doesn't want this. . ."


"Is foster care what you want for him? Nick and I can more than provide for him now and his future."


"Nick doesn't want him, so why are you doing this?" Christine demanded softly.


"Because it's the right thing to do."


"I won't leave him where he's not wanted." Christine shook her head; indicating to the boy in her lap.


"I'm sure Nick will grow to love him. I'm sure we both will." Lexie smiled. "Christine, I'm going to be really blunt with you. I know Nick is going to be angry when he finds out, but you're dying and this is the only chance CJ is ever going to have to see her mother. Him being angry right now is nothing compared to what CJ will do to him when she's older and she finds out he denied her the chance to know you." Lexie hardly paused for a moment and she continued on. "I was 9 when my mother died and my father stayed away for almost 12 years. I was an adult before I ever knew him and the anger I had at him drove me those all those years. I'm lucky, Christine. My adoptive father was very supportive, even when my father came back into my life. I love all of my parents very much, but I still wish my father had claimed me when my mother died."


This time, Lexie stopped talking long enough to catch her breath, so afraid earlier that Christine would stop her if she didn't get it all out at once. "CJ and Nick are very close, and she loves him very much." Lexie began again, this time slower and softer. "I wouldn't dream of coming between them, but if this doesn't happen and she learns he kept you away from her, it may hurt her in a way he can't even begin to imagine."


Tears had formed in Christine's eyes, but they hadn't spilled. Lexie surmised that she was very good at keeping her emotions under tight control.


"She'll be angry that her brother was kept from her as well. There is no telling that she'll be able to find him once they are both adults. "Lexie continued. "I would do my best to be a good mother to him once you're gone. I'd never hurt him and I'd make sure Nick never did either. I promise he'll have every opportunity CJ has."


"I heard about the fall. . .I mean. . .can't you have. . ." Christine choked on her words as the tears she had held back, fell down pasty cheeks.


"As far as we know, I'm fine. Nick and I can have children of our own and one day maybe we will, but right now isn't our time. There are other areas of our family that need help."


"Tell me. . ."


"Yes?"


"Tell me about CJ, please."


"She's beautiful, Christine. And so bright and smart and level-headed. I think she's got more sense than Nick sometimes." Lexie smiled. "You'll love her. She's a wonderful little girl."


"What about Nick, what are you going to do?"


"I'm not exactly sure. I may have to play it by ear." Lexie said. "You can come down anytime." Lexie dug through her purse. "Here is the name and number of my travel agent in Tampa, he can make flight and travel arrangements for you on a moment's notice."


Christine gently shook her head. "He hates me."


"No, he doesn't. He's confused, and he has his own questions. He'll have to work them out on his own time, though." Lexie smiled. "Nick doesn't hate anyone, you know that."


"No, he doesn't. . .but he was so angry last time."


"Yes, he was scared. Scared you were going to take CJ away from him, and he couldn't even bear the thought of that. She's all he's had for years. His whole life revolved around her."


"Until you."


"Yes, now he has us both. When CJ was little she once told me that I'm like someone sent to help her take care of him."


"Does she call you 'mommy'?"


"No, I'm 'Lexie'." Lexie confessed. "You're her mommy."


"She doesn't even know who I am." Christine admitted softly.


"She will though, and we'll see to that, okay?"



"Will you go get the boys?" Leah smiled as she leaned over the table to press her warm lips to Howie's ear.


"The big one or the little ones?" He chuckled.


"All of them." She laughed. Howie kissed her again as he stood up. Suddenly he swayed and his hands gripped the edge of the oak table.


"Howie! Howie, are you okay?" She grasped both of his arms to steady him.


"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine." He sighed, rubbing his eyes. "Doctor said I might get a little dizzy on the medication."


"You sit down. I'll call the boys in." She ordered.


"No, no. I'm better now. Just stood up too fast." He smiled slowly, hoping to erase the sudden fear in her eyes. "Shhh." He hummed as he kissed her forehead. "I'll go get them."


Leah watched with worry as he slowly made his way towards the back door. He opened it and then picked up his speed as he headed off the deck toward the court. Maybe he would be okay.


"Dad!" John laughed as he posed to pass him the basketball. Howie held out his hands to receive it and his oldest son passed it to him with ease.


"Make a shot, Dad! Make a shot!" Tyler laughed as he bounced around, flailing his arms to guard him.


"I don't know if I can get around you!" Howie laughed.


"C'mon Grandpa!" CJ laughed, running up and giving him a shove from behind. Howie looked over at Nick, who boyishly smiled and gave him the nod.


It was just a couple steps, just a couple dribbles to the basket. He moved and he ran. Howie coordinated the movements between his hands and his feet and then he jumped up toward the basket.


But came down straight toward oblivion.


"Howie!" Nick screamed as he watched him collapse to the ground.


Howie's head hit solidly on the court surface before Nick could reach him. His body convulsed its affliction as Nick slid to his knees at Howie's side. Nick tried to hold him, but his body moved away in its convulsions.


"John! Go get your mother! Leah! Leah! Call 9-1-1!" Nick yelled at the top of his lungs.


John turned and ran back into the house. Leah returned with the cordless phone, but could only think to fall to her knees beside Howie as his convulsions eased and then finally stopped.


"Howie! Howie, no!" She screamed at him. Nick snatched the phone from her and his hands shook as he dialed for help.


Leah took Howie into her arms, ignoring the blood from his ears, nose and mouth.


"No, no, no." She cried over and over, rocking him. "Make them hurry, Nick!"


"They are on their way, I swear." Nick gasped, the phone still at his ear.


Nick looked away from the horror just long enough to look at the children. They were huddled together. Silently watching Howie die. He was dying. Even Nick knew that.


"He's not breathing! He's not breathing, Nick! Help him, Nick!" Leah screamed.


Nick ran to him and pulled Howie from Leah's arms, laying him flat. He tipped back his head and tried to force his own breath into Howie, but he wasn't sure he was having any luck. Nick spit Howie's blood from his mouth and continued to try to breathe for him as emergency crews arrived.


They pushed Leah and Nick aside, and Nick held her as they watched them work on him. The children gathered behind Nick, using him as a shield from what they were witnessing.


Luckily, the emergency crews announced that they got a pulse and he was breathing with the help of a tube. They escorted Leah to the ambulance, and Nick stayed back with the children. When the crews were gone, he hustled them into the house and ordered them to get ready to go.


Nick washed his face, not even looking up to see if he got all of Howie's blood off of him. The kids all rushed to the car and Nick followed with little Caroline in his arms. He got Leah's van keys from John and drove them all to the hospital.


"Here, dial Lexie." Nick ordered CJ as he handed her the phone.


Like she'd done hundreds of times, she hit the speed dial and waited for it to ring and then handed it back to her father. Nick held the phone to his ear, begging her to answer, but she never did.


"Lex, call me, it's urgent." And he hung up.



"Shouldn't you answer that?" Christine asked toward Lexie. Lexie checked the caller ID, but just shrugged.


"It's just Nick checking up on me." She smiled. "I want you to come to Tampa."


"This is never going to work, Lexie." She sadly shook her head. "I'll make arrangements for Scotty when. . ."


"Please say you'll make them with us."


"I don't know." She sighed.


"The offer stands. Always. If you need anything, you call me." Lexie said, handing Scotty another piece of paper with all of her numbers on them. "Let me deal with Nick. Please don't pass over a chance to know CJ."


Scotty looked up at his mommy, holding the paper in his chubby hands. Christine took the paper from him and read it over.


"Will you call?" Lexie asked.


"We'll see." Was all she was willing to commit to as she set that piece of paper down with the travel agent's information.


"Mommy's tired. She needs to go to bed." He sighed as he turned his light eyes toward Lexie.


"I'm sure she does. How would you like to go to the park with me?" Lexie asked, suddenly regretting speaking out of turn.


"I can't I have to stay here with mommy." He said shyly.


"I understand." Lexie smiled. "I'm in town until Monday. My hotel is on there, as well."


Christine only nodded.


"Well, I'd better get going. I have a showing to get to by 3 in Manhattan." Lexie said standing up. "I can see myself out."


"I'll take you." Scotty cheerfully climbed off his mother's lap and ran ahead of her.


Lexie followed the dark curly haired boy through the small apartment to the front door. They said good bye and he closed the door behind her. She listened to him scrape the stool to the door, climb up and lock the door.


"She was a nice lady. . .why are you crying, mommy?" Scotty said as he returned to where his mommy was sitting.


"Did you like her Scotty?" She asked him, tears settling down her cheeks. Because I think she'll make you a great mother.



"Has Lexie called?" Leah asked Nick as they stood outside of Howie's ICU room. He looked over at CJ who pulled his phone of her pocket. She shook her head 'no'.


"Not yet." He sighed. "How is he?"


"My God, where is she?!" Leah groaned.


"What is it, Leah? Tell me." Nick insisted. He put his hands on her shoulders and she looked up at him, her big blue eyes filled with tears. "No. . ."


"No." She shook her head. "He's still alive, but. . ." Leah turned and drew Nick away from where the children sat huddled together. CJ and John were trying to keep Caroline and Tyler entertained.


"It's bad this time, Nick. Really bad. They aren't sure if he's going to fully recover. There is still the chance that he might die. . ." She answered softly. "They have to put him on a ventilator. My God, Nick, I don't know what I'd do without him."


Nick pulled Leah into his arms and held her against his chest.


"Howie isn't going to die, Leah. He's not. He can't. We'll get him through this." Nick whispered into her hair as she tried so hard not to cry out in frustration. Her nails dug briefly into his back, but then she let go and pushed herself away.


"I need to tell the children." She sighed. "Thank you, Nick."


"Lexie will call soon, and I'll tell her." He sighed as they moved toward the children.


"Mommy? Is Daddy going to be okay?" Tyler asked as they approached. Leah took a seat and Nick took one across from her. Tyler climbed into her lap as Caroline and CJ headed for Nick.


"Honey, Daddy is very sick right now. . ."


"Is he going to die?" John asked.


"I. . .I don't know." She answered honestly. "We'll have to pray that Daddy gets better."


CJ watched the concern and fear for his father wash over John's face. She left her dad's embrace and went over to sit by him. She put her arm around his shoulders and said, "I think your dad will be okay."

Chapter 36 by old_archive

Lexie was glad she had chosen her shoes carefully and that they were flats. She walked four inner city blocks before she could get a cab. It appeared they didn't travel into Christine's neighborhood very often. She was sure her slightly dark complexion and hair kept her from getting too noticed by the locals and the cabbies.


She checked her phone and decided to ignore Nick's voice mail, figuring it couldn't be too important if he hadn't called again. She directed the cab to the showing she had planned on attending, turning her phone off completely as she entered the hall of exhibits.


Back in Orlando, the hospital was filling with Backstreet family. The chapel filled quickly, and Nick found himself in there praying like he hadn't in years. Nothing seemed as important as Howie's recovery. AJ slipped into the seat next to him, slipping a hand over his and squeezing it. He leaned over and whispered in his ear, "He's stable now. They are moving him upstairs for some more tests."


"Any word on any brain damage?" Nick whispered back, but AJ just shook his head, 'no'.


CJ returned to the chapel from her bathroom trip with Caroline. Both girls made their way to Nick's side, and Caroline slipped easily into AJ's arms. AJ pressed a gentle kiss to her temple, and her dark curly head tipped up toward his face. She pressed one chubby little finger to his lips to make sure he was being quiet.


"She looks so much like him." AJ couldn't help himself. He saw Howie more in his children now than he ever had before. It was not lost on him that they might be all they had left of him. They were little bits of Howie to go on forever.


Nick nodded his head toward AJ and then the door and they rose to exit with the girls. AJ followed him out as CJ spoke in the hall, "There are fans outside, Dad. Backstreet fans."


"Really?" Nick asked as she led him to the fourth floor window. He peered out into the Orlando sunshine and there they were, about 30 of them. "I'll be damned."


"That's great." AJ agreed solemnly. "Have you heard from Lexie at all?"


Nick patted down his pockets for his phone, but CJ pulled it from her own pocket. "No, she hasn't called back." She said, handing the phone back to Nick. He pressed 'redial' but CJ cut him off, "Dad, we're not supposed to use the phone in the hospital, but I just tried. I think her phone is off."


"She must be inside the exhibition hall." Nick sighed as he turned off the phone and handed it back to her.


"What are you going to tell her?" AJ asked.


"Whatever news we have when she calls back." Nick sighed, leaning his back against the glass of the window. "She's going to be worried sick all the way back here."


"Maybe you should go get her." AJ suggested. "I have the plane just waiting at the airport, maybe I should send it to JFK just in case."


"That would be good. I promised to be here for Leah."


"I can stay with her. . ." AJ began, but Nick just shook his head.


"I promised." Nick said quietly.


"Nick? Nick?" They heard a familiar voice call out in a soft stage whisper.


"Cook?"


"I can't believe I found you. Aaron called. He's heard the news. He wants you to call him. I wasn't able to get through to you." She said breathlessly. CJ ran to her and slipped into her arms as Cook smoothed her hair.


"We can't have them on. I'll call him." Nick sighed, walking over to CJ and pulling his phone out of her pocket. "If he's heard it, then it must be national news. I hope Lexie calls before she hears it herself."



Lexie talked to several people and gained a lot of research resources while she was at the exhibit; even a possible contact for a position in Tampa as an appraiser. Dusk was settling as she stepped from the building and waved down a cab in lower Manhattan. She chose the ride back to the hotel to turn her phone back on and finally listened to her voice mails.


"Lex, call me. It's urgent."


Nick sounded curt and stressed. She could hear the children in the background. She furrowed her dark brows at the phone as the cab pulled up to the hotel. She paid her fare and headed into her room to return his call.


Nick scrambled for the phone as he stood outside waiting with AJ to finish his cigarette. Digging it out of his pocket, he answered it and lifted it to his ear.


"Hey, Nicky, it's me." He heard her smile as she kicked off her shoes.


"Thank God! Where have you been?!" He demanded.


"I went to the showing. . ." she lied.


"Honey, I need to tell you something. . ." He began to pace in the small courtyard.


"What is it?!"


"It's Howie, honey. He's had another stroke."


"Oh, my. . ." She gasped. "He said he wasn't THAT sick!"


"He wasn't, but something must have changed."


"How is he, Nick? Is he okay this time?"


"I'm afraid it's much worse than before. He's in ICU right now on a ventilator. His brain scans show massive damage to the left side of his brain. . ." Nick stood there facing AJ, absently reaching for the cigarette AJ was working on. He took a drag and held his breath.


"Oh, God, no, Nick. . ." She groaned.


"They don't know if he's going to make it through the night. AJ's plane is sitting at JFK waiting for you. You need to get home tonight." Nick exhaled and began to pace again, using the nicotine to try and calm his nerves and frustrations.


"No, no, Nick!" She cried.


"Baby, please be strong, honey. Please. . ."


"Oh, God, how is Mom?"


"She's sitting with him right now. Can you get to the airport?"


"Yes, of course." She said as she got to her feet, but she didn't know where to begin.


"Be careful and I love you, hon." Nick said softly. "I'll be here when you get home."


"I know." She nodded through her tears. "Daddy. . ."


"Just hurry home, Lex." Nick choked, as he sat down heavily on a stone bench. He rested his head in his hand, and AJ reached to remove the stub of the cigarette from his fingers.


He looked up as Lexie answered, "I will."



"How did she take it?" Cook asked Nick as he and AJ stepped from the elevator into the hall outside of Howie's room.


"As well as can be expected, I suppose." Nick mumbled.


"The doctor just went in and he said he'd let us know more information when he comes out."


Nick looked down at his watch.


"It's so late and the children have been up all day." He looked over at them, all nearly asleep except for John.


"Maybe Leighanne will take them home?" AJ began.


"No, I will." Cook cut in firmly. "They can't spend the night here and neither can you two."


"I'm not going anywhere." Nick said stubbornly.


"Me either." AJ nodded.


"They don't care how famous you two are, they are going to kick you out on your fannies. You can't spend the night here." She said to them and then she planted a finger firmly in Nick's chest. "And you aren't helping the situation by starting to smoke again."


Nick looked over at AJ who just shrugged, "What are you afraid it's gonna do? Stunt his growth?"


AJ smiled softly at the light chuckle between the three of them.



AJ's plane lifted off after Lexie was safely on board. She had begun to repack while she was still at the hotel, but finally just called the manager and made arrangements for them to send her the bags later.


How could this happen? How could this happen?! She wanted to know. Howie was young; too young to be going through this! In her desperation, Lexie knew she wasn't ready to lose him. "Daddy." She murmured quietly as the dark sky swallowed her whole.


If she just hadn't gone to New York in the first place. . .



Howie's hospital room was very quiet, except for the air moving through the ventilator and the occasional beep of the machines. He seemed so peaceful just lying there as Leah gently stroked this forehead. The way the doctors spoke, when Howie woke, he wouldn't be the same man he was before. They were sure he would have voice and motor dysfunction that would need extensive rehabilitation. Even then, they weren't convinced he would be "normal" again. First, he had to get through the next couple days without getting sick with pneumonia or some kind of secondary infection. Right now, he was as peaceful as if he were sleeping right next to her in their bed.


"Nick has taken Cook and the children back to the house." AJ whispered. Leah looked up from her vigil at Howie's side. "Took some convincing, but he's going to go. Cook doesn't know her way around Orlando yet, and she won't be able to get past the security gate."


"Where is Lexie?"


"She's just an hour out. I'll have her picked up and brought here." AJ pulled up a chair next to her. "He says he'll be back in time to meet her."


"Good, I don't want her to be alone. . ." Leah looked down at her watch. "Visiting hours are almost over."


"She should make it here on time." He said. "How are you holding up?"


"Okay." She nodded. "I'm so worried about him, Aje. I mean, what if he doesn't recover enough motor skills or he can't talk. . ."


"Howie will bounce back, you'll see."


"You know, he and I were kind of hoping for another child? We weren't trying too hard, but you never know." She began, her hand still stroking his smooth forehead.


"Howie had mentioned it."


"I don't care, AJ. I don't care about his condition; I'm going to take him home. I can't live without him, Aje."


"I know, sweetheart, but he'll be fine, you'll see."


"You hear that, D? Even AJ thinks you're going to be okay, so don't be afraid, okay? I'm here for you, baby, just come back to me." She whispered.


AJ watched her in the semi-darkness, her eyes and touch never leaving Howie's face. To love like that. . .



Lexie's shoes padded softly against the hospital's title floors as she raced through the entrance and toward the ICU wing AJ's driver had directed her to. She didn't hear the footsteps running behind her until they were upon her. A hand gripped her arm and pulled her around and then she was in Nick's arms.


"Oh, God, Nick. Where is he? Can I see him?!" She pleaded with him breathlessly, throwing herself into his arms and against his chest.


"Yes, yes. C'mon. We've only got another 20 minutes." He said, equally as breathless from trying to catch up with her. He hadn't felt comfortable yelling out in the hospital halls that late at night.


Holding on to her, keeping her snug against him, he took her through the dark corridors to where AJ was sitting out in the hall with Tina, his head in his hand and seemingly asleep. Tina was awake and placed a gentle elbow against AJ to wake him. He looked up at her, and she pointed at Nick and Lexie coming down the hall. He stood immediately and reached for Lexie, but she absently rebuffed his embrace.


"How is he?" She asked him.


"He's resting now. Leah is with him."


"You think they'll let me see him?" Lexie choked, tears threatening to spill over her cheeks.


"Of course, but it'll just be a short visit." AJ nodded, steering her away from Nick and Tina to where Howie's room was. The nurse graciously let her in, and she slipped quietly to her mother's side. Leah got to her feet and held a sobbing Lexie.


"I should have never gone, Mom." Lexie cried softly.


"No, no, honey, no one knew this was going to happen. It was just so sudden." Leah held her, patting her back. "Come here and sit with him."


Lexie sat in Leah's chair, reaching to stroke Howie's brow not unlike her mother had. "Daddy?" She whispered. "Can you hear me, Daddy?"


"He should be awake in the morning. . ." Leah began.


"How bad is it? Nick said something about brain damage." Lexie turned to look Leah.


Leah nodded slowly, "Yes, but they won't know the extent until he's awake and they test him, but honey, the tests don't look good."


"Is he going to die?"


"We're just not sure right now. There are a lot of risks for complications, but his chances of recovery are good." Leah comforted her by reaching out and stroking her dark hair. Leah knew that Lexie wasn't really Howie's daughter, but at times they seemed so much alike. Like soulmates. "We're just going to have to wait and see."


Lexie looked back at her father just as the nurse came in, "I'm sorry, but. . ."


"Of course, Lexie. . ." Leah began.


"Oh, okay." Lexie got to her feet and leaned over the rail and kissed him gently on his cheek. "I love you, Daddy."


She turned to her mother and held her tightly, "I love you, too, Mom. We'll get him through this, I promise."


"I know, honey, I know." Leah agreed, holding on tightly to the daughter the love of her life had given her to raise.



"Who is taking care of the children?" Lexie wearily sighed from the passenger seat of the van as Nick drove to her parents' house.


"Cook."


"Where is Alex? Is he there?"


"No, he's at his grandparents."


"Oh."


Nick reached for her, and she slipped her hand into his just before she burst into tears. He held on as he drove, using his words to try and comfort her. He pulled into the driveway and turned the van off. "Honey, you gonna be okay?"


"Yes, I'm sorry. I'm so tired. . ."


"I know. I'm so sorry, honey. . ." Nick squeezed her hand.


Lexie wiped her eyes with both of her hands and just slumped back in the seat. "I want to go back to the hospital tomorrow."


"We all will after we sleep. Your brothers are going to be happy to see you again." Nick said. "Leah will go to AJ's tonight, and he'll make sure she makes it back in the morning."


"We've done this before, haven't we?" She smiled weakly.


"Yes, we worked together and helped pulled the family through and we will again."


"Thank you, Nick. Thank you for being here." She whispered.


"At your side is where I belong." Nick said, "And it's where I will always be."



"Are you sure?" He asked. "Are you sure this is what you want to do? You can always contact your parents to take him, what about Scotty's father?"


"No, he doesn't know, and I don't want him to know." Christine sighed into the phone. She had the same conversation several times with her attorney, Joshua Silverstone, and she wasn't in the mood to have it again. "I want the papers to read Lexie and Nick as his guardians after my death."


"Chris, you know what happened last time. . ."


"I know, I know, but Lexie said she would talk to him." She began to cry desperately. "What else can I do? I have to trust her. My parents declared me dead a long time ago, they wouldn't want him now. I can't just leave him to strangers. I believe her. I believe she'll take care of Scotty."


"What about Nick? He doesn't have to accept him even after you die." Her attorney warned her.


"Lexie won't let that happen."


"They are strangers, too."


"That's the other part. I'm leaving. She wants us to move to Tampa."


"Your health coverage will take weeks to transfer to the state of Florida."


"It will?" She paused, "Oh, Josh, it doesn't matter. I'm dying anyway. So I miss a few more doctor visits. Who cares?!"


"Scotty may want a little more time with his mother!" Josh snapped back.


"And I'm going to use what time I have left to get him another mother. A mother I know and trust. One I know will love him."


"Lexie Carter may end up being a single mother if Nick Carter doesn't agree to it. Dear God, Chris, she's only 24."


"She promised she'd love him and take care of him. I believe her, Josh. Please, please take care of things for me. I need to get to Tampa as soon as possible." Christine pleaded with her attorney. "You know there is enough money to pay you."


"You know that's not the issue."


"I am sorry, Josh, but I can't offer much more." She mumbled. "Please tell me you'll do it."


There was a long, impenetrable silence before he answered, "Of course. I'll take care of everything, Chris."

Chapter 37 by old_archive

Nick woke the next morning to the smell of bacon cooking. He opened his eyes, and the only familiar sensation he had was feeling Lexie asleep at his side. He orientated himself to the guestroom at Howie's house and then the last 24 hours came flooding back at him.


Oh God. . .


"I guess we should get up." Lexie sighed quietly.


"I thought you were asleep." He looked over into her dark eyes. Equally dark circles framed them. She hadn't washed her face before falling into bed with him last night.


"I think I drifted off. CJ's already been in and out of the room a couple times."


"Damn, I never heard her." He groaned as he reached up and rubbed his eyes.


"She went back downstairs, and the other kids are up, too. Cook sounds like she's got things under control. Her husband is here, too."


"What would I do without them." Nick chuckled lightly. "I think a raise is in order, what do you think?"


"Definitely." Lexie smiled up at him, but then it quickly faded. "We have to get back to the hospital."


"We need to spend time with the kids, make sure they're okay. I'm pretty sure John is going to want to come, but the. . ."


"The younger ones should stay home. What about CJ?"


"We'll take her, too." He stretched with a yawn. "I'll jump in the shower real quick so you can get something to eat, then we can switch off."


"I doubt I could eat." Lexie said, sitting up and swinging her feet to the floor.


"Please try. I just got all the weight back on you." He smiled. "You're just like AJ like that."


"I never had a problem with my weight until after I lost the baby. I was always pretty healthy."


"Oh, you're healthy now, just leaner." He got out of bed. "I'll see you downstairs eating breakfast?"


"Yes, sir." She sighed. She didn't see him reach over and pinch her close to her rear end. "Hey!"


"Everything is going to be okay. Now go get something to eat."


"Yeah, yeah, I heard you!" She groaned, getting to her feet and padding out the door. He knew she wasn't really mad at him.


She had food in front of her when he arrived downstairs, but it didn't look like she had eaten anything. AJ and Tina had brought Leah home, and she was upstairs taking a shower and changing her clothes. They had stopped at the hospital, but there hadn't been any changes in Howie's condition. Nick took a cup of coffee and gave AJ a discreet nod to follow him out to the deck.


"Hey."


"Yeah?"


"How she doing?" AJ titled his chin back toward the house in Lexie's direction.


"Not too good. She's really worried. It would be better if we could get some news." Nick sighed as he and AJ stood on the small deck off the kitchen.


"Well, they said he hadn't made any progress, but his lungs are still clear and his vitals are stable. Like I said, he'll probably be awake by the time we get back there." AJ replied.


"John and CJ want to go."


"We were going to take John with us, but the doctor said no. He said to wait until he talked to us later today."


"Well, then CJ will stay here as well. Lexie still has to run upstairs for a quick shower and change." Nick waved his cup at the French doors into the kitchen as they watched her get up and put her dishes in the sink.


"I'm sure that will be fine. Tina's going to have to split and help with the company."


"That's a good thing." Nick nodded.


"Looks like you're holding down the fort pretty well here."


"You mean Cook and Marv are. I'm just along for the ride."


"Okay, I'd better get the ladies and head on out." AJ walked towards the French doors and stepped inside, sharing a quick kiss with Tina and gathering up Leah.


"Dad! It's not fair, how come I can't go!" CJ demanded as the French doors flew open. Such drama.


"Ceej, sometimes kids have to wait at the house. Honey, you're just going to have to wait here with Cook and Marv."


"I don't want to wait with the babies." She pouted.


"Too bad, Pumpkin, you're stuck. I'll call you, okay?"


"That just sucks."


"Excuse me, young lady?" Nick's eyebrows arched up and nothing could hide his astonishment.


"You heard me!" She snapped.


"You're not too big to put over my knee, Christine Jane." He snapped back at her.


"You'd never do that." She challenged him.


"No, but I will." AJ said, startling her from behind. "You watch your language, CJ, and you'd better apologize to your father."


"I'm sorry, Dad." CJ said quietly, sufficiently embarrassed by AJ.


"Leah insisted we wait for Lexie. She's washed up and has thrown some clean clothes on. You want to follow us over? Tina's going to take my car back to the office."


"Sure." Nick dumped his now cold coffee into the hedge below the deck. He handed the empty cup to CJ and said, "I'll deal with you when I get back." Nick warned her.



"How is he?" Leah breathed the words as she rushed her way into ICU. The nurse pulled the group up short.


"Just you, Mrs. Dorough. The doctor would like the rest of you to wait outside in the family room." She said, letting Leah pass and enter Howie's room. Like a high school football team that just lost the championship, the group deflated and turned to exit the ward.


"Honey? Howie?" Leah purred gently, dropping her purse on a chair and leaning across the bed to smooth his furrowed brow. "Honey, are you okay?"


"Mrs. Dorough?" the doctor inquired from across the bed.


Howie's eyes, once fixed on her face, turned toward the doctor. He couldn't understand what they were saying, he couldn't even remember what had happened.


"Is he okay? What's wrong?"


"Right now he can't speak, and it appears that he is paralyzed on the right side of his body. We haven't been able to get any muscle tone from that side of his body."


"Is it permanent? What's going to happen?" Leah pleaded with him.


"Mrs. Dorough, I told you last night that the bleeding and the amount of damage caused by the stroke was extensive. With rehabilitation, he may regain some use. . ."


"What are you saying?!"


"I'm sorry, but he's not going to make a full recovery. We've controlled the bleeding, and we're giving him medications to help restore some of the damage done, but there is no way to recover from this amount of damage 100%." The doctor told her. "We will keep him here for another week. Barring any complications, he can begin rehabilitation at the hospital's inpatient rehab center."


"The. . .the ventilator. . ." she stammered, looking down at him, Howie's eyes unknowing but following her every movement.


"We should be able to remove it sometime this afternoon if the medications take hold." Leah sat heavily on the chair she had left at his bedside the night before. "Mrs. Dorough, do you want me to get someone for you?" Leah just waved him away, dropping her head into her hand as her elbow rested on the bed.


He left the room quietly and respectfully. Leah never heard Lexie meet him at the door and then enter Howie's room.


"I don't care what they say, Howie. You're going to come back to me, and you're going to come home. We've had a lifetime of miracles, and they aren't going to stop now." Her hand reached up and toyed with a few errant curls. "I love you, and I won't let it end like this. Not for you and not for us."


"Mom?"


"Oh, Lex." Leah said with a start. She quickly wiped her eyes and got to her feet. "He's awake."


"The doctor's associate came and talked to us."


"He's going to recover, Lex. . ." Leah stammered, barely able to see Lexie through her tear-flooded eyes.


"I know, Mom, I know." Lexie sounded far stronger than she felt.



"How are they?" Nick quizzed Lexie as she joined them back out in the hall.


"Dad's alert, although, I'm not sure if he understands anything. He just looks blank. Mom's just so desperate." Lexie groaned.


"Honey, it'll be okay." AJ soothed her, reaching out to pat her arm. She smiled weakly for him and gently squeezed his offered hand.


"So, he's going to be in the hospital another week?" Nick slipped an arm around her, pulling her close.


"Yes. If he comes off the ventilator okay, he'll be in a regular room tonight. They'll send him to inpatient treatment in another week." She nodded.


"Will he still be coming off the ventilator this afternoon?" AJ asked.


"Yes, but they didn't say what time." Lexie said, closing her eyes and leaning into Nick. "Mom wants us to all go home. Take care of the children and wait for her to call. She's pretty optimistic Dad will be able to have some visitors tomorrow, at least the children. Tina make it to the office?"


"She and Michelle are there putting together press releases. . ." AJ began.


"Okay. Can we stop by there? I need to talk to Michelle." Lexie said, looking up at Nick.


"Of course."


"I'll let her know we're on our way." AJ nodded as they all turned in the hall and headed towards the garage.



Michelle's smile was warm and inviting as she lifted her head to acknowledge Nick, Lexie, and AJ coming into the conference room. The once normally, very quiet SDR offices were swarming with activity. Michelle dropped what she was doing and made her way toward the trio.


"Tina is in her office, drafting the next press release." She said to AJ.


"Good. I'll go see what I can do." He nodded. "I'll catch up with you two in a bit."


"Okay." Nick nodded in return.


Meanwhile, Lexie was pulled into Michelle's arms, accepting comfort from the little blonde.


"I'm so sorry, Lexie."


"Thank you. Thank you." Lexie held her tight for a moment. "He should be moved to a regular room tonight. You should be able to visit tomorrow afternoon."


"I'd like that." Michelle released Lexie, tears threatening to spill over.


"None of that." Lexie teased her. "We've had our share of that." The three of them shared a simple chuckle. "Where is Steve? Is he ready to be the Interim President?"


"I just broke the news to him last night. He had no idea. Howie hadn't had a chance to tell him. He's a little overwhelmed, but Tina's getting him up to speed." Michelle replied.


"I need to talk to him and . . ."


"Why, Lex?" Nick suddenly interrupted them.


"Nick, I'm the second highest stockholder." Lexie said plainly.


"You are?" Nick's voice held a surprise that Lexie wasn't expecting.


"Behind Dad, yeah. Some of it is in Mom's name, but Dad's always held her proxy. I can get her to sign it over to me, but before Steve Russell can be made President and CEO, the board of directors will have to vote." She explained to him.


"Wait, since when have you been on the Board of Directors?"


"Since I was 21. Dad wants to keep the company in the family."


"Who else are major stockholders?"


"Me, Dad, Mom, Uncle John, and about a half of dozen other investors." She shrugged.


"When were you going to tell me?!"


"I just thought you always kinda knew." Lexie shrugged. "Uncle John usually was the one who voted my stock. It's no big deal."


"Tina's called the meeting for tomorrow morning." Michelle said.


"Of course. I can be there." Lexie turned her attention back to Michelle. "Everyone else?"


"Everyone should be here. Should be quick. I have the documents that Howie signed to have Steve become the interim President and CEO."


"Yes, that will make it quicker." And then suddenly, Lexie's cell phone rang. "Oh, excuse me a sec."


She pulled the phone from her purse and put it to her ear as she walked out of the crowded conference room back out into the hall.


"Hello?"


"Lexie?"


"Yes?"


"Lexie, it's me. Christine."


Instantly, Lexie's heart dropped into her stomach. Her head shot up, and she looked back over her shoulder at where Nick and Michelle were still talking. She made a quick turn to the right and headed toward the end of the hall.


"Yes. Oh, yeah."


"Have I caught you at a bad time?"


"No, well, things are a little hectic." Lexie stammered. Lexie looked back down the hall, and Nick was now standing in the doorway of the conference room looking up and down the hall for her.


"I'm sorry. Maybe this was a bad idea." Christine began.


"No, no. What can I do for you?" Lexie's dark eyes followed Nick's movements.


"I..uh. . .I'd like to take you up on your offer."


"You would?! Christine, that's great!"


"I'm ready to leave any time. My lawyer has made the travel arrangements. We'll be there Friday."


"Friday?" Lexie choked. Nick found her and waved, making his way toward her.


"Is there a problem with that, because you said any time. . ."


"No, no. . .any time. You still have my email address?"


"Yes."


"Good, email me your flight, and I'll be there to pick you up."


"Okay."


"I'm sorry, but I have to go."


"Of course." Christine said. "Oh, Lexie?"


"Yes?"


"Thank you. Thank you very much." Lexie heard her voice crack, and for a moment it slowed Lexie's racing heart.


"You're welcome." She added softly, lifting her eyes to see Nick standing before her. Lexie lowered her phone, turned it off, and dropped it back into her purse.


"Everything okay?" He asked, his eyes seeking hers.


"Everything is fine." She smiled up at him.

Chapter 38 by old_archive

Howie wasn't awake for most of his visitors the next day. The medical staff limited his visitors to the immediate family, but didn't turn away his tearful assistant, Michelle. Caroline seemed the most comfortable with him in his hospital environment. Leah sat her on the bed and she snuggled up to him, as though nothing had changed at all. When she settled on his arm it woke him for a moment, but he settled back asleep with his face buried in her soft brown curls. Soon they were both softly snoring together.


"Don't they just belong together." AJ whispered softly to Leah as they stood in the doorway of Howie's private room.


"She'll never really know." Leah sighed sadly, leaning against the doorjamb. "She'll never really know what he was like before."


"Don't say that. You said yourself he's going to recover." AJ whispered harshly.


"How did the board meeting go?"


"Lexie said it went fine. Steve was voted in without effort." AJ put his hands in his pockets and leaned on the doorjamb opposite of her.


"She really stepped into that."


"I didn't realize she knew so much about the business."


"She and Howie would have these long conversations, it must have been about business. I just assumed it was about Nick or you." Leah shrugged.


"You think it was wise to make her a major stockholder?"


"I guess so. Howie always told her how to vote; he just wanted the family as major stockholders. I don't think she can do much harm." Leah looked over at him, his lean arms were crossed over his chest as he looked into the hospital room at Howie.


"She's now the most major stockholder with yours and Howie's proxy."


"I'm sure she'll be fine." Leah looked over at the sleeping pair.


"How is he?"


"He's tired. He's been asleep most of the day. He seemed happiest to see Caroline."


"Well, she's his little angel."


"I hope it's enough to make him live."



"How long were you at the hospital?" Lexie asked Nick as they huddled on the back deck for some privacy.


"A couple hours. I dropped off Caroline for your mom, had lunch with Kevin, Brian, and Leighanne. The meeting went smoothly?"


"Very much. Dad pretty much had everything prepared." Lexie tipped back her head and looked up at the stars. "God it's been a long 48 hours. I'm glad Kevin and Brian made it.


"They were just waiting until they could come visit, but yes, it has been." Nick agreed. "Are we going to stay out the week?"


"I don't think so. . ." She began. She lowered her head to look into her glass. "Nick, there is something I need to tell you."


"Really? What?" He asked innocently, raising his own glass of iced tea to his lips.


She hazarded a guarded look at him. Once she said it, he was never going to be the same. She was going to change things forever.


"DAD!" CJ suddenly screeched as she came running down the deck at them. "Tyler keeps doing everything I'm doing and saying everything I'm saying. He's making me crazy!" She came to a sudden stop in front of them.


"Why are you such a tattletale?" Nick mused.


"You don't understand!" She demanded of him.


"You don't understand!" Tyler suddenly mimicked her from behind her back.


"See what I mean?"


"See what I mean?"


"Okay, Tyler, stop bugging CJ." Nick smiled.


"Tyler, stop bugging CJ." Tyler teased them both. Lexie couldn't help but burst out laughing.


"See?" CJ demanded.


"See?" Tyler mimicked.


"I see, I see. Come inside, and we'll fix this." Nick got off the rail they were sitting on and headed inside after the two running children. He stopped at the doorway and looked back at Lexie. "Is it important? Can it wait? I'll be right back."


"No problem. It can wait." Lexie waved him away.


But not for too much longer.



By Wednesday, Howie was sitting a chair and acknowledging most people who came to visit him. No one was really sure if he really knew who they were or just remembered them from the day before. He seemed conscious of his environment, but unable to answer simple yes or no questions. He enjoyed the children the most, especially Caroline, but to everyone's surprise John and CJ were very standoffish. Obviously uncomfortable with his present condition, they weren't able to fully approach him. Tyler also took some time to warm to him, but by the third day, he seemed to accept the situation although excited to see his Dad's therapy and recovery begin soon.


Nick decided it was time to go back to Tampa and get CJ back in school. Lexie was running out of time and Nick noticed her distraction, but he chalked up to Howie being sick. She agreed to go back to Tampa with him for the night, but return the next day to relieve Cook and Marv from taking care of the kids.


"Beautiful night, huh?" He purred in her ear as she stood on their deck and stared out into the ocean. His strong hands sunk against the tight muscles between her shoulder blades and relentlessly began to work out the knots. "You're a mess. Try to relax, baby."


She tried, but it was difficult. When his hands moved their attention from her shoulders to other parts of her body, she began to let him take her away. "Another half an hour, and I bet she'll be asleep." He breathed against her cool cheek. "Would you like that?"


"I need that tonight." She groaned as his hands gently took her breasts. He smoothed her, letting his hands trailed down to settle on her stomach. He pulled her back into him, until she could feel him firm against her leg.


"I know it's been tough, honey. It'll be okay. We'll see Howie through this. And your mom, too." He gently reassured her.


"I know. Thanks, Nick." She nodded as the wind whipped her hair back into his face. He laughed, his voice deep and masculine and vibrating through her. Please God. Please let him understand.


Nick barely waited the half an hour, before leading her upstairs into their abandoned bedroom. "There aren't enough beautiful things that I could do to you." His lips found hers, and with surprising aggression, she latched onto him. Her tongue slipped into his mouth, teasing him until he could no longer hold back his own growing lust. "I love you, baby." He groaned, driving her body deep into their mattress.


"Don't wait, Nick, don't." She panted as they peeled the layers of their clothing off. He didn't either. He did what she wanted and made fevered love to her; not just once that night, but several times. He found himself mesmerized by every touch of her body against his and the feel of her hair through his fingers.


"Whew." He chuckled as they laid knotted together at nearly 3 in the morning. "We haven't done that in a while."


"Too long a while." She smiled in agreement.


"You're my everything, you realized that don't you?" He said, suddenly serious. He drew his finger over her face, pushing loose strands of hair back over her bare shoulder. Her eyes grew wide, and she nodded. "I can't imagine my life without you."


She snuggled closer into his arms, burying her face against his bare chest. She breathed in his scent of old cologne and a day's worth of sweat. Even soiled, he was irresistible. Now at three in the morning, it was Thursday. Christine would be there tomorrow. She had to tell him.


As if on cue, Nick said, " You know, you never did tell me what you were going to tell me on Monday. You know, when we were on the deck? Do you still need to tell me?" For some unknown reason, Nick felt her grip tighten on him. "Lex? Is it important? Honey, are you okay?!"


He pushed her away to look into her face. "Lexie, tell me what it is."


Her eyes dropped, and she pulled away from him to the other side of the bed. He watched silently as she drew the sheets around her naked form, leaving him to fend for himself. Her back was to him as he sat up. "Lex, you're scaring me."


"You're going to be very angry, Nick." She finally answered him.


"At what? At you? I don't think so. . ." He reached for her, but she pulled away.


"Please hear me out before you say anything, please?" She began, but he could hear her voice trembling. "I didn't go to New York to see that showing."


"You didn't? Why did you. . ." Nick's voice trailed off. . . an affair, another man?


"I went to see Christine."


"You WHAT?!" He gasped, sitting up straighter.


"I went to see her. I wanted to know how she was doing." Lexie whirled on him. "And she's coming here, Nick. Christine is coming here to Tampa. I've offered her the pool house for her and Scotty. She's coming to Tampa to die."


"Holy fuck! You did WHAT?!" Nick suddenly screamed, jumping to his feet. He ran around to stand in front of her. "What the hell were you thinking?! Goddamn it, Lexie! Of all of the goddamn stupid things you could do!"


"It's not stupid! It's important! It's very important, you just don't see it. . ." Lexie got to her feet, but he pushed her back down on the bed.


"How could you fuckin' lie like this to me?! How could you do this to me?! To CJ?! You're bringing her mother here without any warning?! And now she's supposed to watch her die? Goddamn it, Lexie, she's just a little girl!" He screamed at her.


Lexie was scared now. She laid back, trembling on the bed watching a furious Nick she had never seen. Things flew from the dresser tops and the bed stands. He said things and called her things she had never heard from him before. When he was done, he stormed into the bathroom and locked the door.


"Nick?" She asked through the door. "Please Nick. I told you were going to be angry." She sunk to the floor in front of the door. "Please Nick, please don't hate me." She quietly sobbed.


Nick didn't hear a word as he sobbed on his own on the other side of the door. The one person he loved and trusted more than anyone had just done something that was going to hurt the most precious person who had ever come into his life. He was powerless to stop it. He couldn't think of one way to keep CJ from this pain, except to tear his life away from Lexie. He couldn't do that either. He curled up on the cool tiles as his cries wracked his body, lulling him into a dull, numb exhausted state. As his head continued to spin, the walls of his heart closed up and a part of him died. The part that had loved and trusted enough, to let Lexie near CJ. It simply began to wither away.



Nick woke a few hours later, his body cramped all over. He checked his watch. He had an hour before he had to get CJ up for school.


Oh, God, CJ. . . what am I going to do?


Like he had aged 20 years, he slowly got up and turned directly to the shower. He hardly noticed the scorching hot water then stepped from the shower to towel dry his body and hair and then stepped into the bedroom.


Lexie had cleaned the place up.


A part of him was ashamed of his behavior and of what he had said to her, but another part of him felt she deserved it. The bed was perfectly made and all the traces of his anger and their lovemaking were gone.


He went into the closet and dressed himself, heading downstairs to finally confront her again.


She was gone, but she left a note on the kitchen table.


I'm sorry. I've gone to Orlando to take care of the kids. Uncle John and Aunt Angie have agreed to take the kids for the weekend. I'll be at the airport on Friday and we should all be at the house by 4.


He would get no reprieve. It was clear Christine and her son would be there tomorrow. "You're sorry?" He said sarcastically, crumpling the note in his hand. He paused for a moment and looked down at the note held tightly in his hand. "No, I'm sorry." He whispered.



"Thanks for coming." Nick said to the man waiting on the other side of his front door.


"You call, I come." Brian smiled softly. He had spent the whole trip from Orlando to Tampa digesting what Nick had told him on the phone about Christine dying and Lexie bringing her here.


"I don't know who else to talk to, Bri." Nick closed the door behind Brian and then leaned against it.


"I understand." Brian sighed.


Nick sank to the floor and buried his face in his hands. He didn't know how he had gotten through getting CJ to school, but he had. She had already known Lexie was going back to Orlando, so that wasn't a problem.


"Have you decided to tell CJ?"


"No!" Nick snapped at him. "How do I tell her? What do I tell her? I always thought that if she was going to meet her mother, I'd get a professional to help out, but now I don't know what to do?!"


"When is she coming here?"


"Tomorrow. Brian?" Nick looked up at him. "Why didn't you seem surprised when I told you?" Brian diverted his gaze. "You knew?"


"No! Not at all! I didn't have a clue, it's just. . ."


"What?!"


"I've just always had a feeling she was up to something. Especially when she started looking for your old house in Tampa and then how she wanted this house. . . I don't know." Brian shrugged.


"You think she's been planning this all along?"


"I don't know, Nick. Buddy, I don't know." Brian sighed.


"What am I going to do? What, Brian?"


"What do you want to do?"


"I want to leave." Nick said. "I want to take CJ and leave."


"But you haven't."


"I can't. I. . . I don't know what to do."


"I think staying is the best thing to do for now."


"What about CJ? What do I tell her? How do I handle this?"


"Have you and Lexie talked about it at all?"


"No." He shook his head.


Brian gently bit down on the inside of his mouth. It opened and closed a few times before words actually came out.


"Tell her that she's a friend of Lexie's. Don't tell her that she's her mother right out."


"CJ has seen pictures of her mother."


"Yes, but not in a long time. You took most of them down after Lexie moved in and from what you've told me before, Chris isn't the same girl."


"It's obvious she's sick. How do I keep Lexie from telling her?"


"You make it clear to Lexie what you want to happen now. I think all of this happened because you weren't willing to deal with it before, so she just took matters into her own hands."


"She had no right to do that."


"I agree, but it is what it is now." Brian sighed, settling on the floor across from him. "You better take the upper hand on this situation."


"How did she ever find Chris? I mean, Sabrina has been looking for months and poof, suddenly Lexie knows where she is and how to get hold of her?"


"Maybe she hired a private detective."


"And paid him with what? Maybe that job she had with Gina." Nick sighed. "I know where every penny goes out of this house. God, she's been lying a long time."


"Technically, it's not a lie. She just didn't tell you. Did you ever ask her. . ."


"Don't bother, Brian. She lied and manipulated me, and now I'm screwed." Nick snapped. "No, maybe I should just pack up CJ and head back to L.A."


"NO!" Brian snapped back at him. "Are you really going to throw away your marriage over this?"


"What kind of marriage is this? Look what she's done, Brian! Has the whole damn thing been a lie? What else is going on I don't know about? All that time I was in Orlando earlier and she was out with Jake and her friends, what was going on then, huh? She really is just a kid, Brian. God, who the hell was I kidding?!"


"Okay, you're losing perspective." Brian interjected. "You love Lexie, you know you do."


"She's made a fool out of me."


"No, I honestly think she's trying to help you and CJ. Granted her methods are less than desirable, but I think she's doing this out of love." Brian said softly. "Nick, think before you throw it all away. You know what you and Lexie have is very special. I know you've been living with the fear of losing CJ since Chris left you. Chris can't hurt you now and in a short time, she'll be out of the picture entirely. Maybe, just maybe, Lexie is right."



Lexie had been shaky and scared all day. It would only be a matter of time before Nick called her. He had to make some kind of statement or move about this. This hadn't gone like she had planned.


Who was she kidding? She didn't have a plan. She knew he would be upset, but she never expected that trapped animal look he had in his eyes. She decided this morning the kindest thing she could do was just to leave and let him be. Maybe with time. . .


Her phone rang as she sat idled in traffic. She had made a run out for dinner for the kids alone. She reached and saw their house number on the caller ID. This was it.


"Hello?" She answered it.


"I'm going to talk and you're going to listen, do you understand me?" He said sternly.


"Okay." She whispered as the light turned green. She moved ahead with traffic and headed for a parking lot.


"I can't believe you've done this, Lexie. I can't believe you could deliberately try to hurt me and CJ like this."


"I'm not trying. . ." She defended herself as she parked the car.


"You just shut up and listen. I don't want to hear a word out of you because this is how it's going to be. If you bring Christine here, you are not under any circumstances to tell CJ that she is her mother. You can tell her she's a friend of yours, but that's it. I swear to God, Lexie, if you tell her, I'll leave and take her with me."


"Nick!" She gasped.


"I mean it, Lex." And the phone suddenly went dead.


Lexie's head was spinning. Nick would leave her. He would leave. How was this ever going to work on these terms?


"You've done the right thing by staying, Nick." Brian said softly, watching Nick clutch the cordless phone to his chest.


"God, I hope so, Brian. I hope so." Nick's eyes filled with tears and sobs erupted from him. God, he really hoped so.

Chapter 39 by old_archive

"Hey, Daddy." Lexie smiled softly as she walked into Howie's hospital room Friday morning. He was sitting up and turned his head carefully toward her voice. "Everyone finally leave you alone?"


His brown eyes only followed her as she pulled a chair up close to his. The right side of his face was droopy and his right arm laid as dead weight on his lap. He leaned heavily to the left, because that was how they had propped him up.


She took his good hand and stoked his arm gently.


"I've messed up, Dad. I've messed up big." She whispered. Her voice cracked, and she rubbed her eyes with her free hand. She looked into his face and swore his lips moved. She took a corner of the blanket and wiped his mouth dry, leaned forward and kissed his cheek. His eyes purposely locked with hers. "I know. We'll talk later." She winked. "I love you, Daddy."


"I hear you're going to the rehab center on Monday. Lucky you. They'll have you up and moving before you know it." Lexie smiled. "At least one of us will be having a good time."


"What's wrong with you?" Lexie jumped when she heard AJ's voice.


"Nothing. We're were just talking." Lexie looked back at Howie.


"He can't say anything."


"He understands, don't you?" She reached and caressed his cheek. "You always understand, don't you?"


"You look like crap." AJ interjected, sitting on the edge of the bed looking at the both of them.


"Such a charmer, ain't he?" Lexie joked for Howie. "It's just been a long week, that's all. I'm headed back to Tampa today."


"You coming back Monday?"


"I don't know. I'll try." She shrugged.


"You'll try?"


"I haven't talked to Nick yet, but I'm sure it won't be a problem."


"When he's heading back into the studio?"


"I said I haven't talked to him yet. I don't know what the hell he's doing." She suddenly snapped.


"Ooooohkay." AJ nodded.


"I'm sorry, Pop. Okay? I'm really, really wiped. I'll have him call you, okay?"


"Sure."


"I'd better go. No chasing nurses, okay, Dad?" She smiled, getting to her feet. She leaned over and kissed his cheek, then pointed a finger at AJ. "That goes for you, too!"


AJ and Lexie exchanged kisses as well and she left them alone. "I don't know, D. I think our girl has got some problems. Some very big problems." AJ sighed as he moved to her vacant chair. "We're going to have to get you better so we can keep an eye on her, right?"



Lexie took the afternoon drive to the Orlando's International Airport. It had been a long night of being upset and having to take care of her brothers and sister. Gratefully, her mother understood why she couldn't stay, not that Lexie told her the truth. The Dorough clan was more than big enough to pick up the slack. Still, a part of Lexie felt as though she was abandoning them.


Lexie found Christine's terminal and watched as she was wheeled from the plane with Scotty in tow. Lexie greeted her as nicely as she could muster. She knew she would have to explain Nick's terms to her on the drive to Tampa.


"Did you have fun flying, Scotty?" Lexie asked him as she pulled into traffic.


"My ears got hurt, but it was okay." He yawned.


"He was so excited, he barely slept last night or on the plane." Christine twisted around to look at him, reaching to pat his knee.


"Looks like the car ride will put him out." Lexie smiled. In the rearview mirror, she could see him drifting off.


"Lexie, is everything okay?" Christine suddenly asked her. Lexie looked over at her briefly, taking in her ill appearance. She wouldn't be able to hide the truth from her for long.


"Nick didn't take the news very well."


"Oh."


"We have to tell. . . her. . . that you're a friend of mine."


"What about. . .?!"


"I don't know what he's thinking Chris, I'm sorry. He's very, very upset. I didn't have a lot of time to tell him. My father had a stroke last weekend when I was visiting you. The whole family is in turmoil."


"I'm sorry, Lexie. Maybe this isn't a good idea."


"No, no. We have to go through with it. You know that." Lexie said softly, reaching to take her hand. "I have to tell you that I'm not exactly sure how we're going to do this."


"I don't care what we tell her, just so I can see her and spend some time with her." Christine squeezed Lexie's hand. "I can't tell you what this means to me."


"I know. I know." Lexie nodded.


"I'm sorry it's causing you problems. You deserve to be happy, someone as kind as you. Nick deserves to be happy, too." Lexie looked over at her, but Christine was looking out the window at the passing scenery. Perhaps Lexie had misjudged Christine's intentions in seeing CJ. Maybe it was Nick and not CJ she wanted to see. "After what I've put him through; what I still seem to keep putting him through. I've brought him nothing but pain. He deserves to be happy, Lexie, especially with you."


Lexie chose to remain silent for the rest of the ride home.



CJ had asked Nick and Brian the usual questions. When is Lexie's friend going to die? What if her little boy doesn't like her? What if he wants to play with her toys? Is he going to go to school with her? Is she going to get sick, too? Is the little boy sick? And in the end, she just really wanted to know if there was anything she could do to make it nice for both of them.


Brian had been Nick's saving grace through it all. They had prepared the story together, telling her that Lexie's friend needed her help right now and that she was going to be helping her. CJ ran upstairs to get into her play clothes and to start on her homework.


"I think it went well." Brian told Nick over coffee.


"I think so. I hope Lexie keeps her mouth shut."


"I don't think that will be a problem." Brian sighed. "I think this might be a good experience for CJ. She seems eager to help and. . ."


"CJ hasn't known anyone who has died."


"All children have to learn these lessons, Nick. We did. Lexie did when she was CJ's age."


"This is totally different."


"I know, I know." Brian finally threw up his hands. He knew there was no talking to Nick now. The doorbell rang and he put his coffee cup down and together they headed toward the front door.


Nick steeled every defense he had before he opened that door. He yanked it open and nearly tripped over the little man standing in front of it.


"Watch out, Nick!" Brian grabbed his arm before he tripped over the four year old.


"Hi!" He smiled up at Nick. Nick's stunned reaction wasn't what little Scotty was expecting at all.


Nick looked down at him and then up at the women. Christine, her thin frame wrapped in an outdated linen suit, stood waiting for Lexie to pull her bags from the trunk.


"I think I'll go help." Brian stepped past Nick and knelt down by Scotty. "My name is Brian. What's yours?"


"Scotty. That's my Mommy and Lexie!" The dark hair boy pointed out.


"Well, it's nice to meet you, Scotty. You think we should help the womenfolk with the bags?" Brian smiled warmly.


"Okay!" He bounced a bit and took Brian's hand. Brian looked back over his shoulder at Nick, who was cursing him with his eyes.


Nick watched Brian approach Christine and they exchanged greetings and gentle hugs. He turned to the rear of the car, reached in the trunk and handed a small-wheeled bag to Scotty who began pulling it toward the impenetrable Nick Carter. Lexie clutched to Brian tightly, and Nick could see her wipe away a few tears as Brian comforted her.


"Excuse me, Mister." Scotty grunted at Nick's feet. He had dragged the bag up the two steps to the door. Full steam ahead, he moved around Nick and into the foyer. Nick decided to go down the stairs and meet the women.


"Brian and I told CJ you were just a friend of Lexie's. She knows you're sick." He said dryly. "I don't want any other conversations with her, do you both understand."


Christine reached out and grasped Lexie's wrist, "Yes." She answered for both of them. "Did you tell her my name?"


"I told her it was Ann."


"My middle name."


"Whatever." Nick wasn't making eye contact with anyone, his eyes focused on the palm trees that framed the driveway.


"That's fine." Lexie said in agreement.


"You hurt my daughter, and you'll be very sorry." Nick ground out between his teeth. "She's my daughter and has been since you walked out on us."


"I understand." Christine nodded. "I don't want to hurt her either, Nick. I just want to get to know her. I'll do it any way you want."


"The pool house is in the back. I had Cook stock it with food. She knows what's going on, too. I don't want you at the main house."


"Fine."


"I had my things moved to a guestroom."


"Nick!" Lexie gasped.


He pointed a sharp finger at her. "Not a word, Lexie. We'll talk about it later."


"Nick." Brian warned him gently.


"Lexie!" CJ squealed, running and throwing herself into Lexie's arm. "How's Grandpa? Did you see him? Is he getting better yet?!"


"Yeah, I saw him. It's going to be a long time before Grandpa is feeling better, but he looked happier today. Remember, he has to go to that special hospital to get better." Lexie said, but she caught CJ staring at Christine. "CJ, this is my friend Ann."


"Yeah, my Dad told me." CJ nodded. She stuck her hand out and Christine accepted the friendly shake. "I got some old toys I don't play with very much for your little boy. Cook thought that might help."


"That's very sweet of you." Christine smiled bravely.


"I found him inside. He said he had to go potty."


"Oh my!" Brian laughed, suddenly taking off inside the house. CJ laughed and ran after him, leaving the three of them alone.


"I'll take the bags." Nick said, turning to pick two of them up.


"I'll get this last one." Lexie said.


"Just remember what I said." He warned them one last time before turning his back on them and going inside.


Christine clutched onto Lexie's arm, her voice taut with emotion, "Oh, God, Lexie, I never wanted this. I should go. I don't want problems for you and Nick."


"Don't worry about me and Nick." Lexie sighed, laying her hand over Christine's. "I think things are going to be okay."



"So, what do you think we should do today?" CJ asked her parents the next morning at breakfast.


"What do you mean?" Nick asked.


"Well, Uncle Brian is still here and Lexie's friend. Should we go to the beach or something nice?"


"We have to go visit Grandpa today, would you like to do that?" Nick asked.


"Yes!" CJ cheered.


"AJ wants you to call him." Lexie added.


"When did he call?"


"I saw him yesterday. I didn't get a chance to tell you last night. He wants to know when you'll be back in the studio."


"Thank for telling me. I'll call him now." Nick scraped the kitchen chair as he got up from breakfast and left to use the phone in the den.


"What's his problem?" CJ joked. "He's being a sour puss."


"Yes, he is." Lexie joked with her. It was no laughing matter last night when they went to bed separately, but what's one more night spent crying herself to sleep, right? "I think you need to go wake up Uncle Brian by honking on his nose."


"That's a great idea!" CJ scrambled out of her chair and ran out of the kitchen. Lexie could hear her all the way up the stairs.


Alone in the kitchen, she cleared the dishes and then decided to check on Christine and Scotty in the pool house. She made sure the gate to the pool was locked and that only the adults knew where the keys were. Christine had fallen asleep very early and Scotty insisted on sleeping with her. She left them tucked together, asleep in the master bedroom.


She knocked on the door, and Scotty was there at the glass door peering up at her. He smiled and she opened the door and walked in.


"Hi, Lexie! Mom's gonna take me down to the beach today!" He bounced happily.


"She is, huh?" Lexie smiled, looking over at her sitting on the couch.


"I feel good today and I might as well take advantage of it." She smiled with a shrug. "Nick isn't planning to go, is he?"


"No, he's taking CJ to Orlando to see my Dad in the hospital. I think Brian's going with him, but I'm not sure."


"Do you want to go to the beach with us?" Scotty asked.


"No, I think I'll stay home. . ."


"Can't you come?" He insisted. Lexie looked up at Christine for some help.


"No, not this time." Christine said, hugging his bouncing form. "Maybe next time."


"Was there enough food here?" Lexie asked.


"Plenty. Cook did a great job. I should thank her."


"I don't know how she feels about things." Lexie shrugged.


"Oh." Christine sighed.


"Well, what's one more person to piss off at this point?" Lexie said sarcastically. "I'm going back to the house. I'm still pretty tired."


"Of course."


"If you need anything, just let me know."


"I'm sure we'll be fine. Thank you."


"Sure." Lexie exited with a shrug.


Brian was waiting when Lexie returned to the main house. "Nick is going to Orlando today."


"Not all the way back to L.A.?" She sighed as she stepping all the way into the house and closing the sliding glass door.


"He thought about that." He told her and her head snapped up. "I talked him out of it. Lexie, I don't know what he's going to do next."


"I know."


"This was not a smart thing to do."


"I know." She agreed, her voice cracking.


"Honey, don't cry." He sighed as he moved to give her a hug, but she pushed him away.


"I'm fine. You're going to Orlando, too?"


"Yeah, Leigh is there waiting for me."


"Fine, I'll see you later then." She turned and left him, walking down the hall and up the back staircase.


No doubt a route to avoid Nick. Brian knew it would take a miracle for this to work out.


Lexie wasn't successful in avoiding Nick. He was in their bathroom getting a few things. He froze when he saw her, but she just moved about her business. She peeled off her clothes as she headed toward the walk in closet to pick some jeans for the day. He was still in the bedroom as she stalked past him naked into the bathroom, slamming the door quite solidly in his face.


As she passed the mirror, there was a slight smile on her face. That was immature, but it sure did feel good. She turned on the water in the shower and Nick's scent lingered there in the steam. I miss him so much. Where are Fairy Bunnies when I need them?

Chapter 40 by old_archive

Fairy Bunny, the King of the Manor is dead.


There were no more Fairy Bunnies in Nick's heart. Lexie let the slip of paper lie with all the others she had scribbled on, across the bed and scattered on the floor. She figured she only thought of it now, because Nick's bunny was no longer on the dresser. She wasn't sure if he had taken it with him to the guestroom or not. She knew she didn't dare go in there to look.


All day she had slept on and off, taking calls from the family. Howie was doing the same, Nick had been there to visit, and CJ had spoken to Howie and had been a good girl. All news from AJ. She thanked him, spoke with her mother, aunts, and uncles and then hung up.


The Queen of Hearts is torn.


The only comfort she really had this day, was that she was sure her Dad would understand. It would be possible for her to be there when he's transferred, she agreed to go with her mother and him. That had been good. Today, though, she needed to rest. Away from her father and away from Nick's anger.


The phone rang in her hand.


"Hello?"


"Lex?"


"Jake?"


"Hey, girl!"


"Hey, buddy!" She laughed.


"I heard about your Dad. I'm sorry it took so long for me to call. Dad and I have been up fishing since last week."


"Whew, that's a long trip."


"We get along pretty good these days, so it's not so bad. It was just him and me."


"Cool."


"So, how is your Dad?"


"Well, it's hard to say. Other than the stroke itself, he's holding his own. Monday he's moving into a rehab center."


"How long will he be there?"


"I'm not sure. At least three months."


"Eww, doesn't sound fun. They think he'll be okay?"


"They say he'll probably recover some functions, but he'll never be 100% of what he was."


"Oh, girl, I'm so sorry."


"Thanks, Jake."


"Dad's out there now. I had to come back to school so I can graduate in June, then I'm coming back to Orlando."


"Yeah, I heard. That's great."


"Look, I gotta be straight with you about something."


"What?"


"I know about stuff there."


"What stuff? Christine?"


"Christine?"


"Shit, Jake, are you screwing with me?"


"No, no! Dad just said you and Nick were having some problems. He didn't say what kind. Isn't Christine like CJ's mom or something?"


"Yeah, or something." She sighed. "And we're not just having 'some' problems, we're having big-ass problems."


Since it seemed as though Nick was letting his Backstreet brothers in on it, Lexie decided to tell Jake. She only knew for sure that Brian, and now Kevin, really knew what was going on. Jake let her know they had decided not to tell Leah or Howie, but AJ would know by the time the night was out.


"AJ is going to shit." Lexie said.


"You think?"


"Then again, maybe not. He might just side with Nick, he's never been real loyal to me before." She groaned.


"Well, I'm on our side, girl. You know that."


"Yeah, I do, and I love ya for it."


"Love you, too, girl."



Christine and Scotty had a good, but short day at the beach. Lexie was surprised how accustomed Scotty was to being by himself. He would just play at his mother's feet and not fuss too much for attention. She had joined them for a little while, helping Christine back up the stairs to the house. Nick didn't call, but when midnight rolled around she called him.


"Are you coming home at all tonight?" She asked him.


"No. I'm staying at AJ's for the weekend. I'll be back Monday to take CJ to school."


"Have you told AJ yet?"


"Does it matter?"


"I already know Kevin knows. Rallying the troops or something?"


"No. I just think our family has the right to know."


"The Backstreet Boys have never been my family."


"We haven't told your folks."


"Gee, I appreciate that. It's not like they have enough to worry about."


"It's late, okay? I don't need you getting lippy with me."


"Fine, you won't have to listen to me at all tonight." And with that she hung up. "Bastard."



Sunday, Lexie went to Orlando and visited with Howie. She was barely in the door of the hospital and AJ was clamoring her for details in the lobby.


"Look, I just want to visit with my Dad, okay?" She arched a brow at him.


"I just want to know what the hell you were thinking to bring Christine back like that?" AJ asked.


"You know, somehow I knew you'd take his side." She snarled at him.


"I'm not taking sides."


"The hell you aren't."


"Look, I'm not. I swear. But Christine?"


"What do you care anyways? You weren't even talking to Nick when they were together. I'd just appreciate it if you would just stay out of it."


"I don't think Howie would approve. . ."


"You leave him out of it!" She suddenly snapped at him. "You have no right to even assume what he would think or say. His loyalty I could count on."


"I've been loyal to you. . ."


"Like you were when my mother died? Look AJ, don't get all paternal on me, okay? You suck at it. Just stay out of my and Nick's marriage." A deathly silence fell over them as they stood in the lobby of the hospital. "I'm going to visit with my father. If you don't have enough sense to stay out of our business, at least don't drag my parents into it right now, okay?"


She turned on her heel and headed for the elevator. Her own anger was boiling just near the surface and she knew it. For a split second, as the elevator doors closed on AJ, she wondered if she had been too harsh with him. She decided she hadn't. Nick had no business dragging AJ into their lives, but if AJ didn't have enough grace or brains to stay off the front lines, he was going to get hit, too.


"Hi, Mom!" Lexie smiled as she came into Howie's room.


"Lexie! I'm so glad you're here. Are you okay? AJ said you needed some rest yesterday."


"I did, Mom. I was just whipped. How are you doing, Daddy?" Lexie sat next to him and took his hand. His fingers gently wrapped around hers and tried to squeeze them. "Did you see that, Mom?"


"He's been doing that all day. Isn't it great?" Leah laughed gently, touching the top of his head gently, letting his curls loop around her fingers.


"Dad, that's great. You know it's me, don't you? I know you do." She smiled. "So, it looks like the move is still on for tomorrow?"


"Yes. He's doing well. He'll start his intensive rehab tomorrow." Leah glowed.


"How are you doing, Mom? I've come to take you out of here to lunch. You wouldn't mind, would ya Dad?" She squeezed his hand.


"I can't leave. . ."


"Mom, you can't stay here all the time. It's just lunch. You look like you could use some sun. Please?"


"Oh, okay." Leah smiled at her.


"I'll sit with him." AJ said from the door.


"You know, you need to stop sneaking up on people." Lexie smiled, but AJ knew better.


"That would be great. I don't want him to be alone." Leah stood and began to gather her purse.


"No problem. You have a good lunch." AJ smiled nearly as sweetly as Lexie did.



"So, how come Nick is in Orlando with CJ?" Leah asked her daughter as they began to work over their Caesar salads at the sidewalk café.


"Just giving me a break. He's going to tie up some studio time, too, I think." Lexie answered smoothly.


"He's been great about visiting Howie. CJ is still a little uncomfortable, but she spent some time reading to Howie this morning."


"She's at that age, but she's trying. She was very excited to go visit her Grandpa, and she loves him very much. How are the boys and Caroline?"


"Well, you know Tyler, he's always so resilient. John is still pretty upset, but he's at the age when he needs his father so much. Caroline is still just a baby."


"I'll see if I can talk to Nick about maybe spending some time with John, maybe that will help." Lexie offered.


"I think that might help. AJ has offered as well." Lexie couldn't help the undisguised snort, and Leah arched a fine eyebrow at her. "You two not getting along?"


"Well, he's not exactly the fatherly type."


"He's made his mistakes, but he's made great strides with Alex." Leah said, "But I understand your wounds are a little deeper."


"You could say that." Lexie sighed. "So, what are the plans for tomorrow?"


"Well, I've still got to get back to the house and pack a few more things. Cook was amazing. She got together some sweat clothes and toiletries. I don't think my house has ever looked so good." Leah chuckled.


"Well, Cook is a professional." Lexie agreed. "I could go past the house for you and put together another bag. What is he going to need?"


Leah and Lexie exchanged lists and after they were done eating, Lexie took Leah back to the hospital. She didn't go upstairs again, just returned to her parent's home. Nick's car was out front, so there was no avoiding him. She gathered her lists and her courage and headed inside.


"Lexie!" Tyler yelled as he ran across the house into her arms.


"Hey, buddy!" She laughed, trying to pick him up.


"I'm getting too big for that, now." Tyler laughed.


"I'll say."


"Hi, Lex." Nick said quietly.


"Hi, Nick." With Nick's appearance, Tyler was gone from the hallway and out to the back yard.


"What are you doing here?" She asked.


"John asked for a few hours, that's all. He's going to take your grandparents to visit Howie."


"That'll be good. I've agreed to pack a few more things for tomorrow's move to the rehab center." She told him. "How's little John doing?"


"He's been in his room, playing computer games. He won't go back out on the basketball court."


"I guess I can understand that. Mom asked if maybe you could spend a little extra time with him. Him missing Dad and all."


"Sure. I'll make a point of it." Nick shrugged.


"I'm going to go get those things." Lexie turned and headed up the stairs.


"Look. I'm sorry I didn't call." He apologized suddenly. Lexie stopped going up the stairs and turned to face him.


"I'm sorry I hung up on you." She sighed.


"I deserved it."


"Why did you tell Kevin and AJ? I can understand Brian, but AJ?"


"I just needed someone to talk to."


"That used to be me."


Yeah, when I could trust you. Nick thought. The look on his face was answer enough for that comment.


"That hasn't changed for me. Are you going to be back home Monday night?"


"Yeah. I'll take CJ to school, then come back for Howie's move."


"I'll be there, too." And Lexie turned and headed back upstairs.


She turned in to John's room and said 'hi' to him, but he wasn't that interested in talking to her. She turned to her parents' room and began to pack for her Dad.


Family pictures were scattered all through the room, on the walls and on the dressers. The children's artwork was there, including some from her childhood. Howie hung on to everything. He had two pieces framed. The first piece was where she called him 'Dad' instead of 'Howie'. That's always been his favorite.


Lexie stood and stared at the framed childhood sketch of her family back then. It was Howie and her and a pregnant Leah. She wrote 'Leah', 'Little John', 'Dad' and then 'Lexie' over each one of their heads. The next framed art was 'Mom', 'Dad', 'John' and 'Lexie'. She must of have been 9 or 10, maybe 11? She couldn't really remember.


She did remember how Howie just beamed when she showed him the first piece and that's why she began to start calling him 'Dad'. She loved the look of complete joy and happiness on his face. A few months later, after John was born, Leah became 'Mom'. Lexie knew it had to do more with the fact that she and Howie shared a child and she was feeling left out. She had only wanted to cement herself further into the Doroughs. She really had nothing to worry about.


I really shouldn't be so angry. I'm the one who hurt Nick. He has the right to be angry. It's not his fault he didn't do what I wanted him to do; didn't react the way I wanted him to.


Lexie began opening drawers and packing a suitcase from the list her mother had given her. She was coming out of the master bathroom and found Nick standing in the middle of the room.


"You have lunch?"


"Yeah, me and mom went out." She tucked her few items in the suitcase.


"I'm thinking we should talk."


"You know, " Lexie began as one hand ended up on her hip and another pushed her hair from her face, "when you're ready to come home, maybe we should talk then."


"Look, I'm sorry about the phone call. . ."


"No, you have every right to be angry. I'm just really not in a good mood to deal with this right now. It wouldn't be good for either one of us."


"You understand why it has to be this way, with Christine."


"Another Backstreet lie, I understand better than you think I do." Damn it! Damn my sharp tongue!


"It's for CJ. . ."


"I don't want to talk about it right now. When you come home, Nick, then I'll talk to you."


"Where does it matter where we talk about it?!" He snapped.


"Because its not about the damn Backstreet Boys. I'm not going to have a conversation with you, a private conversation, and then have you run and rally your boys. I know I screwed this up, Nick, but I don't need you telling that to everyone we know." Lexie slammed the suitcase closed and began to zip it shut. "I am very aware of where everyone's loyalty lies, Nick. I've known my whole life. I am a Backstreet outsider and I always will be, but alienating me further isn't going to help us fix this!" She grunted as the bag zipped shut.


"I was just looking for some help!" He growled at her.


"I don't know why, Nick. It's as plain as day to me." She turned to him and threw up her hands. "CJ needs to know who her mother is before she's dead so that one day she doesn't hate you like I hate AJ."

Chapter 41 by old_archive

Do I really hate him? Do I?


With an unladylike grunt, Lexie flipped over on the poolside chaise. The sun was long gone, but it was still warm and she was just trying to relax.


She had left Nick standing stunned in the bedroom after she stacked the suitcase by the door for her mother to take to the hospital in the morning. Nick could never believe that one day CJ might have a problem with him. Maybe she never would, but Lexie doubted it. She had seen more and more sparks of rebellion growing in CJ. She wanted to make sure that Nick didn't add fuel to them and start a raging fire he would have no control over.


Her own fire always burned hot and low. It never went away.


"So, what are you thinking?"


Jake's voice brought her back to their conversation on the phone.


"I need therapy."


"I wonder if we could get a Backstreet kid's discount."


"Sure, a 2-fer or something." Lexie laughed. "You talk to your Dad again?"


"No. I think he's still in Orlando until Tuesday. Or I think it's Tuesday; hell, I don't know what the hell he's doing."


"So, I'll probably see him tomorrow when they move Dad."


"It must be late out there."


"It's almost midnight."


"Nick's not there?"


"No, he said he'd be back tomorrow night."


"How is Christine?"


"You know, you're the first person to ask that. She got a little sun yesterday and today, so she's looking a wee bit better. I had dinner brought in, and we ate together on the deck. She barely ate a thing, but Scotty was like a little vacuum."


"He's a cutie, I bet."


"Yeah, he is."


"You still want to adopt him."


"I do, but with Nick being so freakish right now, it's hard to say."


"You know, I'd hate to be the voice of doom, but Nick might not be around to make that decision."


"I know. It isn't anything I hadn't thought of before. Brian has talked him into staying. He was about packed and ready to head back to L.A." Lexie sighed. "I don't want him to leave. . ."


"I know you don't."


"I don't think he will. Once Christine is gone, I think it'll be better. Maybe he'll finally be able to let go of the fear of losing CJ."


"Maybe."


Lexie let go of a yawn she had been trying to stifle. Maybe I actually am just plain tired.


"You better go to bed." Jake smiled on the other end.


"Yeah, yeah, I will." She agreed as she sat up, putting her feet on the ground.


"Sweet dreams. Love ya."


"You, too." Lexie smiled and switched off the cordless phone. She gathered up her glasses and headed inside. Scotty had been so cute earlier, insisting on helping her clear their dinner dishes. Christine and Lexie encouraged his helpful behavior.


Lexie slid the glass panel door shut and locked it, watching a light flicker in the pool house. No doubt the TV was still on. She padded into the kitchen and placed everything into the kitchen sick, then headed upstairs to bed. She didn't turn the light on, not wanting to see the empty bed.



Christine came into the kitchen in the morning to find Scotty happily ensconced at the kitchen table with a good plate of food in front of him. He and Lexie were talking about all the creatures he had found on the beach. She instantly recognized Cook standing at the sink. The older woman looked over at her shoulder at her.


"There is a plate for you in the oven." Cook said.


"No, I shouldn't."


"Nick's not here. Go ahead and eat with us." Lexie smiled, pulling out a chair for her.


Hesitantly, she got a potholder and brought her own plate to the table. Sitting between Lexie and her son.


"This is good Mommy!" Scotty beamed as he chewed on some sausage.


"We can't be at the house." Christine said quietly.


"He's not here." Was Lexie's reply.


"Scotty just came up here. I didn't even know where he had gone until you called down to the pool house."


"It's fine, Christine. I promise. If Nick has a problem, I'm sure he'll take it up with me."


"I don't want to cause any more. . ."


"Stop it, right now. I won't have it." Lexie cut her off. "You let me handle Nick. Meanwhile, I've got to head upstairs and take a shower. I've got to go to Orlando again. You make sure you help clean up like you did last night." She told Scotty.


"I will!" He chimed in.


Lexie headed out of the kitchen with a laugh and a smile, but half way up the staircase she knew she was being followed.


"Yes, Cook?" She turned and faced the older woman.


"I can't believe she's here." Cook whispered.


"I don't know what kind of conversations you had with Nick, but I want you and everyone else to remember that she is dying. I want her treated with respect and kindness."


"I do know how to treat people." Cook sounded taken back and offended.


"I know you do, and you've always been so kind to me."


"Well, I don't know what Nick's said to you, but I know from experience what a bastard he can be." Cook huffed at Lexie. "He knows I will do whatever my conscience allows, regardless if he pays me or not. I have always spoken my mind to him and to you, so understand when I tell you that Nick isn't going to like being 'handled'."


Lexie stepped down and covered the distance between them. "I know he isn't. But she's dying, Cook. We talked last night, and we're lucky if she has another 3 months. Maybe I'm just too tired or too upset, but when faced with that, I don't really care what he thinks. You know I love Nick, but he and I are going to have to work through this, but she shouldn't have to suffer for it."


"Maybe she's suffering for what she's done, not for what you've done by bringing her here."


"Please keep us on task, Cook. I'm counting on you." Lexie swallowed hard.


"I took care of her before. I'll do it now, too." Cook sighed.


"Thank you."


Cook looked up at Lexie with her fresh, spring green eyes and thought for moment. "You're welcome, Lexie."



"I hear this is where the party is." Brian laughed as he and Leighanne entered Howie's hospital room. Kevin, Leah, Howie's brother John, and sister Pollyanna were all there. Howie was sitting in a wheelchair, getting ready to be shipped out. Brian knelt in front of Howie and patted his knee. "The girls sent some music. I told them now might be a good time to make you listen to it and get them a deal."


"That's only because he can't get up and leave." Leah laughed with everyone.


"Howie? I brought Leigh with me this time." Brian said gently.


"Hey, Howie." She smiled, kneeling beside Brian. She gently stroked his weak hand. "We're going to get you up and going in no time, you'll see." Leighanne looked up to see fresh tears in Leah's eyes. She rose to hug her tight, "Don't be crying, too or I'll start and it'll never end. We all know what a blubber head I am."


"Don't tell me I'm the last one." Lexie said from the doorway.


"Nope, I am." AJ said from behind her.


"Nope, got you all beat. I'm the last one." Nick smiled over his head.


My God, that smile. . . Lexie's heart skipped a beat. It was his secret weapon, and he didn't even know it.


"At least we all know who the chief loser is." Kevin said dryly. "I don't think you could be on time to your own funeral, Nicky."


"No, but I promise to be on time for yours." That erupted the group into peals of laughter. Nick and Kevin hugged in a peaceful gesture as the nurse came into the room.


"Okay, Mr. Dorough. You are on your way. The Cabulance is here to take you to the rehab center. The whole trip should only take about 20 minutes." She said as she signed orders in his chart. "You take care of yourself, okay?"


Of course, Howie had no good response.


"Thank you for all you've done." Leah said to the nurse.


"No problem, ma'am. Just doing my job." She smiled, putting Howie's chart in his lap and getting behind the wheelchair to push him out of the room.


Nick lagged back from the group, hanging back with Lexie as they walked down the hall toward the elevator.


"How are you doing?" He asked.


"Fine." She looked up at him with surprise. "Yourself?"


"Good. I got CJ to school this morning."


"That was a lot of driving."


"It was time well spent."


"Clearing your head?"


"So to speak. How are things at the house?"


"Do you really want to know?"


"Not really."


"Then they are fine." She sighed.


"I should be home about seven. You think you could pick up CJ?"


"Yeah, no problem. I don't think they'll let us stay too long at the rehab center." She said. They watched the group load up into the two elevators, leaving them stranded waiting for the next car. Lexie hit the "down" button a few times. "Mom and I are going to have lunch. I'm sure the others will join us. You want to come?"


"No. I can't. AJ and I booked a studio. Just some remixing."


"Oh. Okay." She nodded.


They waited in silence for a car to return to their floor. When it did, they loaded on quietly and went down to the parking garage. They stepped out and headed in opposite directions to their cars. It was all Lexie could do to keep the hot tears from streaming down her face.


It can't stay like this. Please, God, please let it get better.



Howie's transition went well, but he soon fell asleep after his arrival. Brian, Leighanne, and Kevin joined Leah and Lexie for lunch while the others went home or to the studio.


Kevin picked up the tab for everyone since he chose a very expensive restaurant. Lexie returned with her mother to the rehab hospital and went to watch Howie's first physical therapy.


Laying out on the table while the therapist worked his limbs, he looked desperate and lost. Leah went to him, soothing him until he looked at peace. Light tears had trickled from his eyes and that was when Lexie knew her Dad was aware of what happened.


He knows now.


When he was returned to his room, she told him she loved him and that she would be back tomorrow. She left again for the trip back to Tampa.


She knew what Nick meant about the drive. He had made it twice already today and would again that night. Leaving Orlando, the drive was over an hour. Time well spent thinking, singing to the radio, and crying. She cried every damn time because it was the only time she was ever really alone.


She and AJ had barely spoken today, but no one seemed to notice. Tonight, she needed Nick to lie beside her and hold her. Tell her it was going to be alright, but she knew he wouldn't be there. He would be down the hall in a guestroom.


Everything in his tone and his manner this morning told her he still loved her but the uneasiness told her he didn't trust her. She replayed his smile from this morning over and over again in her head. Like a beacon of light, of hope, it shone down on her. She clung to it like she would have Nick if he was available. It would be her lifeline to his heart if he ever let her near him again.



"Should we even continue to try to look like we're working." AJ sighed to a distant Nick.


"Probably." Nick sighed.


"Try to focus on the project at hand, okay?"


"Sorry." Nick muttered. Suddenly the mixing board when dark under his fingers. "Hey!"


AJ's finger was on the Master Switch. "This is pointless."


"I said I'd do it." Nick grumbled.


"You can't concentrate. It's either Lexie or Howie."


"A little of both, I suppose." Nick sighed, leaning back into his seat.


"This is going to sound really bitchy, but you need to forget about that stuff when you're in here. All of this time is costing us money."


"I know, I know." Nick groaned, leaning forward and putting his elbows on his knees. His fingers knitted together in front of him. "It just happens to be my wife and one of my best friends."


"Buddy, I know it's hard. I'm worried sick about them both, too. Unfortunately, Jive babied you when you were working over there. If you want to just show up and sing, that's fine, but if you're producing and you're writing and everything else you want to do, it's a lot more work." AJ leaned back in his chair and studied the top of Nick's bowed head. "This is music boot camp, Nicky, and you better get it in gear."


"Okay, okay." Nick agreed, picking up his head and swiveling it toward the board. "Turn it back on and let's do this."



Cook was coming from the pool house with a bundle of soiled linens when Lexie walked through the living room. She ran and got the door, pulling it open and helping with the bundle.


"What happened?"


"She got sick. Poor thing was trying to clean it herself. I just happened by there." Cook grunted as they made their way toward the laundry room. They dropped the wad on the floor and Cook let out her breath. "Lexie, honey, she needs a full-time nurse."


"She does? She hasn't said a thing about needing help."


"This is the third one I've hauled today."


"Oh, no."


"I called Hospice Care, but you're going to have to take care of it. I don't think the girl has a dime to her name."


"Oh, man." Lexie sighed. "Okay. I'll make sure it's taken care of. I don't think Nick has cut me off yet."


"I don't think he'll do that."


"Yeah, well. I'll go check in on her." Lexie bounded out of the laundry room and out to the pool house. She knocked on the door and heard Christine call her in. She was sprawled on the couch, looking very worse for wear. "You okay? Cook said you're sick."


"Again." She nodded and Lexie could tell she was close to tears.


"Where is Scotty?"


"He's taking a nap." Christine struggled to sit up.


"Let me." Lexie helped her sit up and threw a blanket over her lap. "I'm going to get you a nurse from now on."


"No, no. . ." She shook her head weakly.


"Chris, you can't do this any more. What if something happens to Scotty? You need to rest and let me help you."


"I don't want to be a burden."


"You aren't, I swear it. It's for the best, you know that. I should have never left you this weekend."


"I have good days."


"I know you do. We'll get a nurse tomorrow and then you won't have to worry about so much. I'll make sure she'll look after Scotty as well."


"I was hoping you would do that."


"I will. I guess I could start taking him with me once he's more settled." Lexie nodded.


"I'd like that. He needs to get to know you." Christine sighed. "What are you going to do if Nick doesn't let you keep him?"


"Scotty isn't going anywhere but here with me, don't you worry about it." Lexie told her firmly.

Chapter 42 by old_archive

Lexie drove down to the school to pick up CJ and got her home in time to feed both children a snack. She fed them the dinner at 6 o'clock because neither one of them could wait another minute. She took a plate to Christine, who was worried Nick might come home early. She stayed in the pool house as Lexie stayed outside with the kids and watched them play in the backyard.


They seemed to get along really well and were beginning to look alike to her. Well, they were half-siblings. They did have the same mother.


"There any dinner left?" Nick asked from the deck behind her. She turned back toward him.


"Yes. I can warm it up for you. . ." Lexie began to get up.


"Don't bother." He said curtly and turned to go back inside.


"Ouch." She muttered, shrugging and turning back to the yard.


He disappeared for another hour and then Lexie took Scotty to the pool house to get him a bath and ready for bed while CJ went in search of her dad. She was tucked into bed, and Nick was in the kitchen when Lexie returned.


"So, can we talk now?" His voice a low growl.


"I guess so." She shrugged.


"What was all that about hating AJ?" Nick asked, "When did that start?"


"It comes and goes. I hate how he gets all paternal, but only when he's trying to put me down or control me. I hate that now Howie is sick, he's thinking he can just move in and be my father. I hate how that after you talked to him, he obviously took your side over me and I'm supposedly his daughter?" Lexie sighed. "I don't always hate him, but when I do, it's very easy."


"You taking care of her kid now?"


"His name is Scotty and yes, she needs help. She only has about 3 months. She's dying, Nick, do you get that at all?"


"I get it."


"I'm going to hire a nurse. She's actually sicker than she had let on."


"Fine." Nick leaned against the kitchen counter, crossed his arms across chest, and stared at the floor.


"Did you get dinner?"


"No. I'm not hungry."


"You should eat. Let me make you a plate."


"Forget it. I'm going to bed." He pushed himself off the counter and left her alone in the kitchen.


"Forget it. I'm going to bed." She mocked him. "Well, if you aren't going to eat the last piece of cobbler, I will."



The next morning, Lexie woke to the alarm after apple cobbler induced dreams and decided to return to their usual routine of her getting CJ ready for school. It seemed to work, Nick was nowhere in sight.


After a morning shower and getting into her school uniform, CJ and Lexie headed down stairs for breakfast. Scotty was already there, sitting on his phone books and chomping on his sausage.


"I called his mother." Cook said as Lexie walked into the kitchen. "She knows he's here."


"That's fine." Lexie nodded as CJ took her seat with her plate in front of it.


"I see Nick got that last piece of cobbler."


"Nope, I ate that bad boy and I don't know what you put in that, Cook, but boy did I have some wild dreams. Space aliens, guts, gore. A sight to behold!" Lexie laughed.


"I suppose you wouldn't want another."


"Can we have peach this time?" Lexie winked.


"Sure, hon." She laughed.


At that moment, Nick strode into the kitchen in his robe. His long legs peeking out with each stride. . .damn it, Lexie cursed herself.


"Is that kid going to be here every morning?" Nick suddenly blurted out angrily.


Lexie looked over at the children and Scotty had just stopped chewing in mid bite, his little face blank in the face of Nick's outburst.


"What's wrong with Scotty being here?" CJ broke the silence.


"Yeah, Nick." Lexie crossed her arms and arched a brow at him. "Bitch" was written all over his face and he didn't have to say it.


"You really shouldn't try to think before your first cup of coffee." Cook handed him a sweetened cup.


"Yeah, Dad." CJ rolled her eyes and reached over to tickle Scotty. He started to cackle, his mouthful spitting out.


"Careful, you're going to make him choke." Lexie said as she went over to them with a paper towel to clean up the mess. When she turned around, Nick was gone. Her heart sank, and she instantly knew she shouldn't antagonize him.


"Don't worry, a little humiliation in the morning is good for him." Cook said as she collected the paper towels.



Scotty went with CJ and Lexie as they went to drop her off at school. Lexie took him back to the house before she headed back out to Orlando to visit with Howie. He had wanted to go with her, but it would be way too awkward to explain to her parents right now.


"I'm sorry, little guy, but you're going to have to stay here today." Lexie explained. "There is a nurse coming to visit with your mother today."


"Is she gonna help?"


"Yes."


"So I can go play? Can I go to the beach again?" He asked eagerly. "Can I go to Disney Land?"


"Disney Land? You want to go to Disney World?"


"I want to take my mommy. I want her to be happy."


Lexie reached over and squeezed his hand, "Well, I think you both should go to Disney. I'll make arrangements, okay? But first we're going to hire a nurse to help her out."


"Really? Mommy would like that. Can I go to the beach today?"


"Well, not by yourself. But I can take you this afternoon after your nap. Maybe CJ will come."


"Okay!" He said with a huge smile, but then he fell silent.


"What is it, Scotty?"


"Is that big man going to be there?"


"Big. . .oh, Nick? I don't think so. I think he has to work."


"Okay." And Scotty smiled again.


What has Nick done already? Lexie thought.



"Come on, you can do it." Lexie gently urged him.


Howie lifted his eyes to her, then he looked own at the task before him. In her delicate tan fingers sat on round red peg. He just had to take it from her.


"Maybe this will be more interesting." Lynne Howard, the physical therapist lifted a wiggling Caroline over Lexie's arm and into her lap.


He reached for her instantly.


My angel girls. . .


They were beautiful together. Their dark hair and dark eyes, with Caroline's curls catching sparks of light from the windows. Just a touch of red. . .


Howie leaned forward in his wheelchair and reached for her with his good hand. His fingers locked onto her little shirt and Lexie lifted her to his lap. Lexie made sure his arm was securely around her before she let go. Howie buried his face into her curls.


"Is that Daddy?" Lexie smiled at Caroline.


"Dada!" She bounced on his lap clapping her hands.


"Now, that's some progress." The therapist smiled. "I should have him walking about the same time she does."


"Now that's a great time line." Lexie agreed.


"I'll bring her every day, if it helps. " Leah said. "If you think she'll be okay."


"She'll be just fine and I think it might be the best therapy for Howie." Lynne agreed, "And I'll always up for a little help. Let's move to the mats. She won't be able to fall and he needs to stretch his legs."


Lexie took Caroline as Leah and Lynne took Howie to the mats. With some help, the two women got him on his back on the floor mats. Lynne took Caroline and straddled her on his stomach. Her own cascading blonde locks nearly covered Caroline who found them a great curtain to play hide and seek with her father.


Howie laughed.


It wasn't much, but it was a laugh. Lexie wrapped her arms around her tearful mother.


"Okay, I see I need a ponytail." Lynne grunted as she flicked her hair over her shoulder. "Okay, Howie. Let's get those knees up to support her back."


He got one about half way up on his own and she put it the rest of the way up. Caroline tried to crawl away, but Leah caught her and brought her back to sit near Howie's head.


"The little wiggle wart. " Lynne laughed. "Okay, Howie, now the other. Most of the movement on that right leg was done by Lynne herself, but she got them together. "Okay, just let her loose."


Caroline took off right toward Howie and crawled to his side, sat down, and looked up at Lynne. Lynne furrowed her brow at Caroline as she pushed Howie's knees to his chest, stretching his legs.


"You're supposed to be helping, missy." Lynne told her. She just laughed and slapped down both her hands on Howie's leg. Howie patted his left side on the mat, but Lynne said 'no'. "If you want to touch her, you need to reach for her with that right hand. It will move, Howie. I promise."


The rest of Howie's therapy went well, but he was tired afterwards and fell asleep. Lexie bid him goodbye before heading home to Tampa.


Once there, she stopped and picked up Scotty and then went to pick up CJ. The kids chatted in the backseat as she pulled into the driveway. Lexie hadn't seen Nick all day. He still wasn't home, and she wasn't really sure where he was. CJ didn't seem to concerned as she took Scotty upstairs so she could change out of her school uniform into her play clothes.


"So, have you seen Nick?" Lexie asked Cook as she set out a snack for the children.


"No, but the agency sent a nurse over. She's likable and seems willing to take care of Scotty, too. Scotty has been asking to go to the beach again."


"Yes, both he and CJ want to go. I'll take them."


"Did you tell the agency what hours you want the nurse?"


"Yes, she should be here until 6. Is that too late?"


"No, that'll be fine as long as you're home by six."


"I will be." Lexie sighed as Cook put a soda in front of her. "It's not like I have a life or anything."


"You need to do something about that. What happen to all that work you did in L.A.?"


"Oh, that." Lexie shrugged. "One thing at a time."


The children clambered into the kitchen and settled into the table for a snack. Cook set dinner to bake and after the children were done, Lexie gathered them up and took them down to the beach together. When they returned, Nick was back but in his room. CJ ran in on him and invited him to dinner. Lexie took Scotty's and Christine's dinner to the pool house and returned, hoping to eat with Nick and CJ.


He stayed.


But he didn't eat much, complaining he had had a big lunch. CJ talked about her day, finished eating, and then went upstairs with Nick to finish her homework.


Leaving Lexie alone.


Laps again and sleeping alone. She resigned herself to it and went to the bedroom and put her suit on, returning to pool to let her body slice through the water as she pushed herself.


Nick tucked CJ in bed and even told her that Lexie was doing laps, so she couldn't tuck her in. Nick watched her from their bedroom in the moonlight. She was stroking so hard that her laps were quick and pounding. She's going to be black and blue, he thought. The phone rang and he walked across the room to pick it up at the bed stand.


"Hello?"


"Hello?" a male's voice asked. "Who's this?!"


"I should be asking you that." Nick snapped.


"Nick?"


"Yes, this is Nick Carter."


"Dude, it's me, Jake."


Oh, gesh. Jake Richardson.


"Hey." Nick sighed.


"Sorry to call so late, I didn't know you were there."


Lexie must have told him. Or Kevin did.


"Yeah, I am."


"Okay. . .uh. . .ummm, can I talk to Lexie?"


"She's doing laps right now."


"Yeah, she usually does this time of night. Just tell her I called then, okay?"


"Sure."


"Cool. Later." Click.


Nick was staring at the buzzing receiver when Lexie entered the bedroom, startled to see him there.


"Someone on the phone?"


"Yeah, Jake." Nick hung up the phone. "He said to tell you he called. He call here often?"


"We talk." She shrugged as he moved toward her. He didn't stop or hesitate as he walked past her toward the door. "You don't have to go."


He stopped at the door and turned back toward her, but didn't look at her. "Yes, I do."


But I don't want you to. . .


But I don't want to. . .


He turned and left, closing the door behind him. His heart was racing, and he wasn't sure why. Nick returned to the guestroom feeling his hands beginning to shake. Was it Jake's call? Was the younger man moving closer to Lexie now? Did he really have anything to worry about? He doubted Lexie would cause him any concern, but she was vulnerable right now and Jake was a healthy young man.


It was his own fault. He left her in this position, but she had done this to him as well. She had violated his trust in her and he wasn't sure if he would ever get it back.


Nick stripped and slid between the cool sheets naked, something he hardly ever did. He stretched his body out and tried in vain to fall asleep. An hour passed and he got up, pulling on some boxers and heading out into the hall. He moved past the master bedroom, but didn't hear anything as he stopped and listened. He continued downstairs to the office and sat at the desk. He lifted the receiver, expecting to hear a dial tone, but all he could hear was Lexie sobbing and Jake trying to console her.


"Please, Lex, it'll be okay."


"No, no it won't." She sobbed.


"Yes, it will. You're worrying me sick, girlie. Honey, please stop crying."


"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I know you didn't call just to hear my problems." She hiccupped.


"Of course I did." He chuckled. Nick heard her giggle through her tears.


"I don't know what I would do without you, Jake."


"I'll always be here for you, Lex. Always."


"I know. I know." She sighed.


"It'll be okay. I promise." And Lexie snorted. "No, I promise." He insisted.


"Thanks, Jake."


"No prob. Remember, I love you, girl."


"Love you, too." She responded.


"Talk to you tomorrow?"


"Yes, call me. I'll be here."


"Cool. Later."


"Later." Click.


Nick hung up after he was sure they had disconnected from each other.

Chapter 43 by old_archive

"What are you doing today?"


Lexie looked startled that he had actually spoken to her. "I'm going to visit Dad and then come home. Not much." She shrugged. She didn't ask what he was doing today.


"I'll take CJ to school, will you pick her up?"


"Yes."


"Good."


No please, no thank you, nothing. He turned on his heel and left her alone on the deck with Scotty and breakfast.


"Why is he here?" Scotty asked her innocently.


"He's CJ's Dad."


"He doesn't like you very much."


Lexie looked over at him with a slight smiled, "I know." She agreed, "You finish up and we'll take your mom down to the beach today. How does that sound?"


"Okay." He smiled. "Are we still going to Disney Land?"


"It's Disney World, and you bet you are, buddy. I'm going to book everything today."


Lexie, Christine, Scotty, and the nurse, Eliza, spent the morning on the beach. Scotty and Lexie spent most of their time hunting for sea creatures that they could find. Near noon, Lexie went up to the house to change, make Scotty's Disney arrangements, and head to Orlando to visit her dad and then return to Tampa in time to pick up CJ. She served the children and Christine dinner, but Nick never returned that night. She told CJ he was working, and she called his cell phone to wish him goodnight. He never asked to talk to Lexie, but she tucked CJ into bed that night.


"Lexie?"


"Yes, angel?"


"Can Scotty's mommy tuck him in at night?"


"Yes, she can do that. Sometimes I help."


"Oh, that's good. Night, Lexie."


Lexie leaned over and kissed her cheek, "Night, CJ."


Nick did come home that night, finding Lexie asleep in a chaise out on the back deck by the pool. The wireless handset was cradled in her hand and she was trying to stay warm under a damp towel. She had been doing laps again. He knew if he left her out there, she'd get sick.


"Lex? Lex, wake up?" He called to her softly and she stirred just a bit. He walked over to her and gently shook her shoulder.


"Nick?" His name slipped past groggily lips before she opened her eyes. Those dark orbs opened and sleepily appraised him. She woke with a start.


"It's okay. It's getting cold. You should go inside." He said softly.


"Of course, thanks." She nodded, swung her legs off the chaise away from him. She drew the damp towel around her and headed inside with the phone.


"Did Jake call again?" He asked dryly. She stopped at the sliding door and looked down at the phone in her hand.


"Yeah." She shrugged and continued in, leaving him outside.


"I bet he did." Nick muttered and angrily, he snatched up the remaining towels and glasses she had left poolside.



The next day, Lexie went about her routine of visiting her parents and returning to Tampa to pick up CJ and take her and Scotty to the beach before dinner. Cook told her that Nick was in Orlando and wouldn't be back until the weekend. Thank God, three more days of peace and quiet.


"So, you're not living at the house in Tampa any more?" Kevin asked cautiously as he and Nick leaned over a balcony rail at SDR studios.


"I'm there." Nick sighed.


"It's not going to be better, you staying here and all."


"I've got to finish the album, then I'll head back. AJ thinks it'll be another week and that's it."


"What are you going to do in the meantime?"


"Oh, fuck, I don't know." Nick sighed again. "I still haven't sorted all of this out in my head yet, ya know?"


"She didn't do this to hurt you."


"Doesn't mean it didn't happen." Nick's head dropped to his arm so that Kevin couldn't see his face any more.


"She just did what she thought was best. Granted, she probably did it all wrong, but that little girl is more like AJ that she'll probably ever admit." Kevin chuckled with a shake of his head. He crossed his arms over his chest and leaned his back against the rail. "The both of them are stubborn as mules."


"That's true." Nick chuckled lightly.


"Doesn't mean you love them any less."


"I know." Nick straightened himself up and looked over at Kevin. "Enough of my shit. How's your shit?"


Kevin smiled. "Depends on what pile you're talkin' about."


"The new lady friend?"


"Oh, God, that. It's great. I can't believe it, Nick. I never thought I'd ever feel this way." Kevin's voice held an air of awe in it. "After Jake graduates, I'm going to ask Kristen for a divorce. I owe that to her."


"Well, we haven't seen Kristen around you in years."


"I know. I'll offer her a settlement, a joint custody agreement for Dwayne and see what happens. I think she wants out, too." Kevin's eyes dropped down to his worn work boots. "I don't think she'll want much. I'll offer the houses in Dallas and upstate New York, the New York condo, too. I'll keep the house here in Orlando and the ranch in Kentucky."


"Jake's been calling Lexie a lot these days." Nick said suddenly.


"Really? He speaks fondly of her." Kevin began the saw Nick roll his eyes. "Look, Jake thinks of her as a sister or a cousin, I don't think he'd try anything."


"Yeah, but what's to stop him?"


That silenced Kevin. What was stopping Jake from snatching Lexie, right out from under Nick's nose?



Click.


The phone vibrated in her hand as she hung up from one call and then it rang again.


"Hello?" Lexie asked wearily.


"Hey, girl. What's up?" Jake joked on the other end.


"Oh, nothing." She sighed.


"Okay, what's really up?" He asked seriously.


"Nothing. Nick just called. He's sending for CJ for the weekend, and he won't be back until the end of next week when the album is finished."


"Oh."


"I just don't know what to do any more."


"Well, it's crap if you ask me."


"Tell me about it. I'm going to be in this house all alone this weekend."


"Where's everyone going?"


"CJ is going to be with her Dad in Orlando and I bought a weekend at Disney World for Christine, Scotty, and Eliza, her nurse."


"Why aren't you going with them?"


"I thought it would be a chance for me to deal with Nick this weekend, but he's not even going to be here." She groaned. "I'm no fun to be around anyways."


"I don't think that's true." He laughed. "How about this? Why don't I fly out for the weekend and we hang out. We'll hit some clubs or something."


"I don't think so."


"You don't. How come?"


"I don't think it'll look too good hopping around town with a guy other than my husband. As much as we hate to admit it, we're famous and people watch us."


"Hell, it's just me. Okay, okay. We'll stay in and have some fun."


"Really, I don't think I'm good company."


"No, no. It'll be fun. We'll eat ice cream in the pool, jump on the beds and scream our heads off, and no one will ever know." He laughed. "C'mon, just pick me up at the airport."


"Okay, okay." She agreed, not really wanting to be alone this weekend. "Call me back and tell me when your flight is coming in." She laughed.


Lexie's prospects for the weekend not being a total pity party were looking better.



"But I don't want to go!" CJ protested. She threw her school bag down on the floor of her bedroom. "I'm tired of going to Orlando all the time!"


"Your Dad wants you there with him. . ." Lexie tried to explain as she sat on the edge of CJ's pink ruffled bed.


"I don't want to be with him, I want to stay here with you." CJ groaned. "I never get to spend any time here and I don't want to go to Orlando again."


"He's your Dad. . ."


"Well, you're my mom now, why can't I stay with you?!"


"I don't know, honey. . ." Lexie finally just sighed and looked away.


"Lexie?" CJ asked softly. "Why are you and my Dad fighting?" When Lexie didn't answer she continued. "I know you're both mad at each other. I don't like this at all. I don't want you guys to get a divorce."


"We're not going to get a divorce." Lexie declared. "We just have to work out some things, that's all."


"I'm tired of you guys fighting. You have to work it out faster." CJ cuddled up to her, and Lexie wrapped her arms around the little girl.


"I wish we could, too." Lexie whispered into CJ's hair. "Meanwhile, though, we have to make your Dad happy by you going to go visit him in Orlando this weekend."


"Well, I'll go, but I'm going to tell him that I want to stay here with you."


"Okay, if that's what you want to do." Lexie nodded.



Friday came, and Lexie sent CJ to Orlando with a hired driver, then sent Scotty, Christine and Eliza to Disney World. When CJ found out they were going, she wanted to go with them, which made her that much angrier with her Dad.


Slam!


"CJ?" Nick called out from AJ's living room as he heard the front door slam shut, and then she suddenly appeared at the threshold.


"What?!" she snapped at him. Nick's brows shot up.


"What bee is in your bonnet?" He smiled.


"Scotty gets to go to Disney World this weekend and I have to be here with you!" She cried. "I don't want to be in Orlando, I want to go home!"


She turned quickly and ran upstairs to the room AJ kept for her.


"Well, you're popular." AJ chuckled.


"What the hell did Lexie say to her?" Nick snapped getting up and following her upstairs.


Nick came to her door, knocked and then walked in. CJ was thrown across the bed sobbing her eyes out. Nick sat quietly on her bed and tried to stroke her back, but she brushed him off.


"CJ, what did Lexie say to you?"


"Nothing!" she cried. "Don't blame Lexie!" CJ turned and sat up. "Why can't I stay home? Why do I always have to come to Orlando just because you and Lexie are fighting?"


"You're my daughter, that's why you're here." Nick snapped.


"I'm Lexie's daughter, too. I want to go home. . ." CJ cried.


"Well, you can't go home right now. You're spending the weekend with me!" He said getting to his feet.


"I hate you!" She screamed at his exiting back. "I want to go home to Lexie!"

Chapter 44 by old_archive

It had been a few months since Jake had seen Lexie last. His dark curly hair had grown out a bit, but Lexie recognized him in a second. Maybe it was just the 'oh gosh' Richardson swagger he had, but she would know him anywhere.


To Jake, Lexie looked like hell. Tired and strained, her face looked pinched, even behind the sunglasses and an Old Navy baseball cap. He went right up to her and silently took her in his arms, burying his face against that old hat.


"Shhh, I'll take care of you now." He whispered and felt her body choke on some tears. "Let's go."


Arm in arm, they walked from the Tampa International Airport and headed for home.


"Been rough, huh?" He mused as they sat poolside with drinks.


"Yep." She sighed.


"It's written all over your face."


"Thanks for telling me I look like shit."


"I didn't say that." He groaned. "You women are tough like that."


"Yeah, we're evil." She sighed again.


"Won't hear me deny it." Jake laughed, reaching for some more chips. "We should probably eat some real food this weekend."


"What the hell for? You didn't say anything about eating real food."


"Okay, some real food? You just look like you could use a few pounds."


"I've always been thin, thanks to AJ."


"I'm sure the stress isn't helping. I'll go order in some Chinese, and we'll eat it out here."


"I'd rather eat crackers in Nick's bed." She grumbled.


"We can put that on the agenda." Jake got up and headed inside to use the phone and order them dinner.


Even with food in her stomach, Lexie was carrying a pretty good buzz by the time midnight rolled around. She spoke too much and cared too little as the night wore into morning.


"I think it's time to head to bed." Jake yawned at her nearly sleeping form.


"I don't wanna. . ." She slurred.


"C'mon, let's go." He got up and took her hand, effortless pulling her to her feet. "If I throw you over my shoulder, are you going to puke?"


Her dark eyes looked up into his rugged face and blinked, "I don't think so."


"Okay, here we go." He laughed, bending down and effortless lifting her over his shoulder.


Her soft skin was pressed against his cheek as he gingerly took her upstairs to her bedroom. He could easily caress her rear under her bikini bottoms, but he didn't. The last thing she needed right then was him hitting on her, besides she was drunk.


He put her on her feet in her bedroom and she teetered her way into the bathroom and came out in nothing, but her silk bathrobe. He watched her stumble and fall into bed and he went to sit on the edge with her.


"I'm pathetic." She groaned.


"You're not pathetic." He smiled, smoothing his hand down her back. "You do need to sleep it off." Jake got to his feet, but her hand latched onto his wrist.


"Don't go." She mumbled.


"I'd better go." He pried her fingers off of him and she gave a sad sob.


"Just lie here with me. We won't do anything. I'm just tired of sleeping alone." She began to cry.


"God, you know I hate it when you cry." He groaned.


"Then don't go." She protested with a slap to the mattress.


"Okay, but stop crying." He wagged a finger at her.


"Okay." She sniffled, sitting up and wiping her eyes. She moved over in the bed and Jake kicked off his sandals, and then lay in the bed next to her. She instantly curled up against his side, tucking herself under his arm.


He looked down at her as her breathing smoothed out and she began to fall asleep. He watched the steady fall and rise of her ample breasts, which had been partially exposed from her robe.


Nick Carter is a fool.



"You still mad at me?" Nick asked gently over cereal in the morning.


She just shrugged her slender shoulders at him. She looks just like her mother when she doesn't want to talk to me.


"You really hurt my feelings last night."


"You're hurting me and Lexie's feelings by not being at home." She said quietly, playing with her spoon.


Nick gave a heavy sigh and then rubbed his eyes, "You don't understand about me and Lexie. . ." He sounded less gentle than he had when he started the conversation.


"I know you promised to love her forever." CJ looked up into his eyes. "You still love her, don't you?"


Nick hesitated, but he knew the answer and finally admitted, "I love Lexie." I'll always love Lexie. No matter what she does. I have always loved her.


"Then why are you doing this? Dad, we need to go home to Tampa. We can't stay here." She said with such earnest, that it almost sounded like wisdom.


"I know." He dropped his head into his hands.


"I don't really hate you, Dad. I just got mad, that's all. I'm sorry." CJ apologized.


"I know. I'm sorry, too." He lifted his head to face her. "I do have studio time planned for this morning and then I was going to take John and Tyler out. Do you think we could go visit Howie, too? We can go home on Sunday, okay?"


"Okay." She nodded quietly.


"I'm sorry this has been so hard on you."


"It's okay, but Lexie's upset. Are you going to apologize to her, too?"


"I'll talk to her on Sunday, I promise."



"You okay?"


"I have cotton mouth."


"You had quite a bit to drink last night."


"Don't remind me." She groaned over the plate of toast he had made.


"You'll feel better once you've showered and have been up awhile. I'm thinking of hitting the beach today, you game?"


"Not like I have much else to do." She shrugged.


After a shower and a fresh bikini, Lexie was ready to join Jake down on the boardwalk to the private beach. It was a beautiful day, and the water was perfect. They took some short boards down and rode some waves until late afternoon and they were both hungry.


"Feeling better?" Jake laughed as they hauled themselves up the stairs to the house.


"Much!" She smiled over at him, her long hair wet and plastered to her body. "But I don't think I'm going to be drinking tonight."


"That's probably for the best." He wrinkled his nose at her.


Lexie changed into a slim summer dress while Jake traded his swim trunks for shorts. His toned chest shone bronze in the summer sun as he walked past the glass windows that overlooked the ocean. Jake caught her staring as he moved into the kitchen and he smiled.


"You're staring."


"What?! I am not!" She protested as she turned her gaze away.


"Yes, you are!" He laughed.


"I just don't remember you looking so good before." She tried to joke, but heat filled her cheeks. He came up behind her at the kitchen counter where she was working on a light dinner for them and wrapped his strong arms around her. She could feel his breath on her bare shoulder.


"It's okay." He purred. She shrugged out of his gentle grasp and continued cutting the melon.


"You shouldn't talk like that." She said plainly.


"Why not?" He moved around to her side so he could see her face. "I hate what he's doing to you, Lexie."


"I'm married to him, Jake." She felt his hand gently cup her cheek. "Don't, it's not right." She pulled away from his touch, setting down the food and knife, looking up at him.


"I think what he's done to you, does make it right." Jake murmured as he leaned closer to her. "It's right that you're allowed to stop hurting, at least for a little while."


His lips were amazingly tender. He tasted her gently, slowing pressing closer to her until she was completely in his arms and his tongue slipped past her once resistant lips. Her moans vibrated through him, and all he wanted was to make her experience more.


Jake's fingers hitched into the fabric of her skirt and lifted it, until his hands cupped her bottom and his fingers slipped effortlessly under the elastic of her panties. Her head tipped back as he trailed her neck with his lips, causing her to writhe against him. Her trim fingernails dug into the flesh of his biceps and the pain made him feel her even more.


Then he felt her push him away. He didn't fight her. He just let her go. Just like he always had.


"Is this why you came here?" She asked him, trying to catch her breath.


"No." He protested. She only arched a dark brow at him in response. "Okay, okay. I won't deny that I've always been attracted to you. I have been since we met in Seattle. Did I come here expressly to kiss you? No. I swear."


His fingers lifted and ran through his dark hair, his green eyes eager for her to believe him. He sighed and folding his hands together as though in prayer and let them stand between them.


"I swear it, Lex. I just hate what Nick is doing to you. God, he's a complete moron. I told myself I would be okay with you being with him, as long as he was good to you. When all of this happened and all those nights we spend on the phone with you crying your eyes out, it just makes me sick." Jake began to grow angry. "Goddamn it, you don't deserve this, especially since you love him so much. All I wanted to do on this visit was to make you stop crying."


Jake took her face in his hands.


"I don't want to take you away from Nick. You belong with Nick. I know that. You know that. The whole goddamn universe knows that. I just want you to stop crying so damn much." He said gently. His thumbs caressed her cheeks. "I want to make love to you, Lexie. I want to give you kindness and gentleness. I want you to feel love again. I want to love you until Nick comes back."


Tears welled in her eyes and her heart began to race. Jake stepped even closer and kissed her again, but she hesitated.


"Tell me to go. If you want me to." He told her.


"No, don't go." She whispered. "Please don't go, Jake."


The walk upstairs was slow and steady. Lexie held his hand and as Jake turned toward the master bedroom, Lexie stopped him.


"No, not in there." She shook her head and took him down the hall to a distant, if not discreet, guestroom at the end of the hall.


"Here?" He asked as he opened the door and she nodded in agreement. She was shaking as he took her to the edge of the bed. "Are you alright?"


"I've never been with anyone else but Nick before."


"I understand." Jake took her face in his hand and lifted her face to his. "I love you and it'll be alright."


Jake kissed her and Lexie shivered in his arms. Her trembling did not cease as his mouth moved against hers and his fingers tangled in her dark hair. She opened her mouth and welcomed him in, their breath becoming more ragged as they began to undress each other.


The lines of his body were hard and precise, each screaming his youth and vitality. Although Nick was more than fit, his body did not have the definition that Jake's did. His muscles rippled under her fingertips as he moved against her.


With her dress on the floor, Jake cupped each of her breasts and made them his own. His hands ran down her sides to her angular hips, "You're too thin. Promise me you'll take better care of yourself." He murmured.


"I will. I promise." She agreed, her hands resting on his shoulders as he removed her undergarments.


Jake's own shorts dropped to the floor with her clothing and stood naked before each other.


"I love you." He smiled gently. When she didn't respond he simply added, "Call me Nick if you have to."


With a defiant shake of her head, she looked up at him, "I'd never do that." Lexie reached for Jake's hand and turned toward the bed. She climbed up on it, pulling him along. "Show me the love you promised me."


Jake kissed her as he pressed her back into the mattress. Each movement of his body as he entered her was pouring out his soul to her. She never uttered Nick's name, but screamed his in her passion. Each stroke, each buck against him and every time her flesh caressed his told every fiber of his being the truth.


Nick Carter is a fool.



Everything about him was different. His skin, his hair, his body, his touch. . .everything. She didn't wake up expecting to see Nick; everything about him and what happened screamed his name.


She also knew in the morning, she could not take any of it back.


She had always been taught to save herself for marriage and then stay faithful to her husband, but she hadn't done that.


Lexie stood by the window, watching the waves of the ocean gently lap at the shoreline. Nick had stood at a stormy window like this when they had first been together. He had told her they had made a mistake, but she wouldn't. . .she couldn't. . . say that to Jake.


While their bodies were still intermingled, they promised to never tell and to take this secret to the grave, even if they were asked point blank. She would go back to Nick when he came back. IF he came back.


She took a deep breath and knew the risk she had taken last night. Then again, who was to stay she still had a husband left to be faithful to? Who knew what he was doing in Orlando these days? She knew of his reputation before they had gotten married, had she really changed him that much?


Lexie looked over at her shoulder at Jake, still asleep in the bed. She could barely remember how many times they had made love last night and each time he emptied his heart onto her. He loved her in a way she didn't understand.


She just didn't.


Sure she loved him. As a friend, but his love was different, and she prayed as they went out and lived separate lives, she could honor him and his love. She would never do anything to hurt him.


She missed Nick. She missed him so much. She missed everything about him. Everything that Jake wasn't. His confidence, his humor and his love. She missed that most of all.


"Regrets?" Jake's voice sounded so unsure.


"Never." She smiled and returned to his side. "No one will ever love me like you do." Her hand smoothed his stubbled cheek, her thumb tracing his cheekbone. "I love you, too." Her voice so soft. "Regrets?"


"No. Never."


"Even if Nick comes back?"


"Especially not then. I know he loves you, and I hope he realizes that before it's too late."

Chapter 45 by old_archive

While Nick prepared to keep his promise to CJ and return home to Tampa, Lexie and Jake spent their Sunday morning making love. By 10 o'clock they decided to get up, make the bed, eat a quick breakfast, and head to the beach.


Lexie twisted Jake's wrist a bit and looked at the time as they stood on the beach early Sunday.


"It's almost one. Everyone should be coming back this afternoon." She began to brush the sand off of her legs. "What time is your flight?"


"Seven. I'm skipping class tomorrow."


"Is that a good idea?"


"I'm only taking one until graduation, which is only a few weeks away."


"Well, Nick hasn't said when he's sending CJ back, but Scotty and Christine are due back around 8 or so tonight."


"So, we have plenty of time." Jake smiled with a wink.


"I told you, I don't know when Nick's sending CJ back. I don't want her to walk in on us."


"Of course not, I'm sorry." He shrugged.


"No, I'm sorry. I'm a mom, now, even if it is just a step-mom. I don't want to hurt her. This isn't about her." Lexie looked up at him. "Please don't be sad."


"I'm not, I'm not! I swear!" He laughed nervously.


"I never meant to hurt you. You knew I'd have to go back to my life."


"I know, I know and you're not hurting me. It only hurts me when Nick's a complete ass."


Jake leaned over and began picking up their blankets and towels, packing them in the tote bag. Lexie reached over and ran her fingers through his dark curls. She knelt beside him and pressed her lips to his sun-kissed temple.


"Just remember I love you." She whispered.


"I will." He swallowed hard. "Let's go back to the house. I've got some packing to do."


His face turned toward her and she kissed him full on the mouth, searching it with her tongue until they both collapsed onto the warm sand with their arms around each other. Suddenly they both burst out laughing and got up. They continued to pack the totes and head across the beach to the stairs to the house.


Nick was sure they hadn't seen him. He and CJ had returned to the house and luckily he had sent her directly to her room, which overlooked the driveway and not the beach. She was up there now sorting out her dirty laundry for Cook. He had called for Lexie, but hadn't received an answer.


He hovered back on the deck, just out of sight.


His blood just ran cold when he saw another man with Lexie. He had considered Jake might make advances, but he never dreamed Lexie would. He could feel his hands shaking and his stomach begin to roll. God, I'm going to be sick.


Nick turned to go back in the house and headed straight upstairs. Their bed was sloppily made up, which was always Lexie's style. Cook usually did all of the tucking. He moved from guestroom to guestroom until he found Jake's bags in the farthest room down the hall. His bed was also sloppily made up. Just like Lexie does it.


He wanted to go through the sheets, see if there was any sign that they had been together. None of her clothes were in the room and his were half packed, some on the chair by the window and others on the floor. He didn't have time to look for anything else when he heard them coming up the back stairs laughing.


He was in the hall by the guestroom he had been sleeping in when they spotted him.


"Nick!" Lexie gasped, suddenly flustered. She had been holding Jake's hand, but suddenly let go of it.


"Hey." He nodded to the both of them.


"When did you get here, dude?" Jake smiled easily as though nothing was amiss. He had seen that smile on Kevin's face a number of times over the year.


"Just five minutes ago. CJ is in her room sorting her laundry. I have to do the same." Nick straightened himself to his full height. "I brought back everything from AJ's house."


Lexie's heart wasn't able to catch a regular rhythm. He had brought everything from Orlando home? He's staying?


"That's great, man." Jake lumbered up to him and shook his hand. "You made the right decision." He added with a whisper. Nick just arched an eyebrow at him, let him go, and he headed to his guestroom. "I gotta pack. Remember my flight is at seven."


"You two have a good time?" Nick asked after Jake closed the door on them.


"Uh. . ." Be cool. Be cool. Nothing happened. Nothing happened. She smiled brightly. "Yeah. He just came out for the weekend. You know him, poof, next thing you know he's on a plane and at your front door step."


"Good." Nick nodded, his eyes casting to the plush carpet under his feet. "I'm going to go finish sorting my laundry. Where is Christine?"


"She and Scotty are in Orlando at Disney. He really wanted to go, and it seemed like a good idea to send them."


"Good. I'm going to go finish up. . ." He hitched his thumb at his door then turned to move inside.


"Nick?"


"Yeah?" He looked back at her over his shoulder.


"Are you staying? Here in Tampa?" She asked quietly.


"Yes." He nodded slowly and then lifted his eyes to look at her.


"I'm glad." She answered him, trying to contain her smile, then turned to head into their bedroom no doubt to shower the sand off.


Each bedroom door closed, including CJ's. She leaned against the door, her juvenile mind whirling.


Christine? I thought her name was Ann. Christine? Could she be my mother?



Nick's trembling fingers dialed Brian's number the best they could. He didn't answer, so Nick left a message for him to call immediately. He didn't know what to do. He didn't know if it was true or not. Had they slept together? If they had, why would she be glad he had come home to stay? Of course, she wouldn't tell him if she was leaving him for Jake because there was the divorce settlement.


Blindly, he went through his bags and sorted his laundry, repacking one bag with the dirty items and carrying it downstairs. Jake and Lexie hadn't reappeared, but CJ had. She was already in the laundry room sorting her whites and colors. Nick had always insisted CJ not be too dependent on Cook and learn to fend for herself.


"Hey, Dad." She smiled up at him.


"Hey, angel." He smiled back. "You willing to sort my things, too?"


"No. I don't want to touch your underwear! That's gross!" She laughed at him.


"Okay, okay. I was trying to get out of it."


"Dad?"


"Yeah?"


"What ever happened to my mother?"


The silence was deafening and Nick's head was spinning. He wasn't sure how much more he could take at the moment so he admitted he just didn't know.


"You don't know where she is or anything?"


"I have no idea, C." He continued to work through the laundry, adding CJ's whites to the washer and throwing his in there as well. "When she left us, she never came back."


"Never?"


"Never." He tried to sound firm and sure, but he wasn't so sure that was happening.


"Okay." She shrugged. "I was just wondering. I'm going to go finish my homework. Bye!" She turned on her heels and ran from the laundry room.


Nick gripped the sides of the washer and tried to control his breathing. His head was spinning and his heart was racing. What is happening? What's going on?


His hands were shaking as he started the machine and scooped the laundry soap, dropping it in there.


"You okay, man?" He heard Jake ask from the doorway. "Lexie sent me down to drop these towels off."


Nick looked over at him, standing tall and young in the threshold of his laundry room and shook his head. Nick closed the lid on the washer and stood up straight.


"No, I think I'm going to be sick."



Nick went to bed, convincing everyone he had eaten something bad. He said goodbye to Jake and then retired to his room. CJ ended up going with Jake and Lexie to the airport.


Nick slept while they were gone and woke just to answer his cell phone. It was Brian.


"What's up?" Brian asked. "I got your message, you sounded shaky."


"I was. I am." He mumbled, trying to wake up.


"What happened? Everyone okay?"


"Everyone, but me." Nick groaned. "I came home to Tampa, Brian. I found Lexie with Jake."


"What?!" Brian gasped. "In bed?"


"No, at the beach. She kissed him and then he laid on top of her as they made out." And between her legs, but Nick couldn't utter those words.


"No way, I don't believe that."


"I saw it with my own eyes! They were holding hands all the way into the house. Hell, I caught them holding hands in the damn hallway."


"I just can't believe that of Lexie. I just can't. How sure are you they actually slept together? Maybe they were just being flirty."


"I'm not sure." Nick admitted. "If she did sleep with him, it's my own damn fault. I left her after all."


"I just can't believe she slept with him, Nick. Jake's my nephew, and Lexie. . .well, Lexie just isn't like that." Brian concluded. "I think they were just being flirty. Kids do that. We did that."


"I don't know what to think." Nick groaned. "I don't know what to do now. I promised CJ I'd come home and talk to her, but I wasn't expecting to see her on the beach with Jake."


"You could always just ask her."


"Point blank? Just, 'Lexie, did you sleep with Jake?'" Nick snorted.


"I don't know why not. I mean you saw them on the beach together."


"She doesn't know that. She doesn't know I saw them."


"Well, you've got two ways to go, buddy. Confront her or don't confront her and live with suspicion."


"What if she doesn't tell me the truth? What if they really are together now and they are just waiting for the album release to go for a settlement?"


"Damn, you've given this some thought!" Brian declared. "I can't make the call for you, only you can do that. If she does tell you that they slept together, but she wants to stay with you, are you willing to forgive her?"


"I don't know."


"Nick."


"The real question is can I live without her? Is that what you're trying to ask me or is the real question can I live with her knowing she's been with another man, knowing that she's been unfaithful to me."


"Well, can you?"


"I don't know, Bri, I really, really just don't know."



Unable to tell each other a proper goodbye with CJ with them, Jake and Lexie kept it light and friendly. Sharing a hug with each of them, Jake boarded his flight with a smile and a wave. As soon as his back was turned, the smile vanished and he walked to his seat.


He found his seat and unpacked his mp3 player and set it up so he could listen to it once they were in the air. He sat at his window seat and looked out over the airport. He couldn't see Lexie and CJ from where he was sitting.


What have I done? He asked himself. Had it really happened? As he thought about it, his body began to tingle. He had lied through his teeth the entire weekend. He hated Nick Carter for what he did to her. Couldn't he see that she was trying to do all of this for him and his daughter?


I do love her. I love her so much. Why did I leave her there? I should have begged her to leave him and to come back to Seattle with me. But Jake knew she would never leave Nick or CJ or her family. She had done that once and she would never run away again.


Nick coming back so soon had been a total surprise. They hadn't been expecting him, as a matter of fact, he had convinced her to make love one last time before he packed and that's where they were headed. Thank God he hadn't caught them together.


I'll never have her again. Ever. He had to convince himself of that, because he didn't want to waste his whole life waiting for something that would probably never happen. Lexie would never leave Nick. He had to find away to move on.


Suddenly his cell phone rang and he reached to answer it. It was his Dad.


"Hi, Son." He heard his Dad say.


"Hi, Dad."


"I heard you were in Tampa."


How the hell did he find that out?! Nick! Nick must have told him.


"Uh. . .yeah. I was visiting a couple more radio stations down here looking for summer work."


"You didn't see Lexie?"


"Yeah, uh. . .she put me up."


"How come you didn't call, we could have had lunch or something."


"Sorry, I was pretty busy."


"Okay, I just wanted to check up on you. Where are you now?"


"I'm on the plane heading home, Dad."


"Really."


"We're about to take off. I need to get off the phone."


"Oh, okay. Well, have a good flight. Love you."


"Love you, too, Dad."


Jake hung up with his hands shaking. What did Nick tell my Dad? Jake quickly dialed Lexie's cell and she answered cheerfully.


"Lex, my Dad just called. He knew I was in Tampa. Nick must have told him."


"He tells them everything." She looked over at CJ as they stood in the terminal waiting for his flight to taxi out.


"I'll take it to my grave, I swear."


"Me, too."


"I love you, Lexie."


"Me, too."



Kevin set down his cell phone on the table, his concern written all over his face. He had barely believed Brian when he had called to question him about Jake and Jake's feelings for Lexie. He watched Sabrina walk toward him in the New Orleans condo they had purchased together. He had given her the money to put down and they kept the place in her name to keep it out of the divorce settlement. My God, she's so beautiful.


"So, what did he say?" Sabrina set a cup of coffee down in front of him and took the seat at the dinning room table with him.


"Nothing really. Just said he was trying to hook up with some radio stations here for summer work. He's worked in both Tampa and Orlando before during the summers."


"You think Nick has a leg to stand on?"


"I don't know. I love my son, but if family history is any indication. . ." Kevin began.


"Stop it! Jake made his own choices if he had an affair with Lexie. That has nothing to do with you." She scolded him. "Besides, it's not really fair of any of us to accuse them of anything. We don't know what happened. Besides, if I were to put money on it, I'd say Lexie would remain faithful to Nick. No matter what."


"I would, too." He nodded as he reached for the steaming cup. "Did you finish going over those papers from the lawyer? Are they good enough to present to Kristen?"


"I think so. Everything you wanted is in there, including the homes and a custody agreement for Dwayne."


"I know Jake will understand, but I sometimes wonder about the other boys. Gerald worships the ground his mother walks on and who knows what the hell Josh thinks."


"They are all grown, except for Dwayne."


"I know, I know. I never wanted it like this, honey. I didn't want to break up my family in order for me to be happy."


"Kevin, you've done more to keep it together than any other man would have. You stayed married to her after she had a child with another man. No one can expect much more of you than that. You were there when that child's father wasn't. You supported him, you've educated him, you taught him to fish and ride horses. . ."


"In every sense of the word, he is my son. No less than the other boys." Kevin said firmly. "I promised her forever."


"She promised you, too. She broke her promise to you first. You've done all you can do, Kevin." She shrugged. "You can stay married if you want. I can go." She got to her feet and he was quickly on his, pulling her into his arms.


"Don't ever leave me. Please don't go. You are the reason I can feel my heart beat." He murmured before he kissed her. He looked into her eyes. "I don't know what Jake and Lexie have done, but I pray to God they haven't made the same stupid mistakes I have or that Kristen has or AJ for that matter. I pray that my son finds the same happiness I have found."

Chapter 46 by old_archive

Christine and Scotty came home happy, but tired. Eliza and Lexie got them both settled, but CJ insisted on playing a board game with them. She had to be reminded she had to go to bed soon because she had to get up and go to school in the morning.


Lexie hadn't seen hide nor hair of Nick all evening. She did go up and check on him, but he was so sound asleep he was snoring. Lexie couldn't help but stare at him. He was on his stomach, with his hair spread out along his back. Just looking at him made her stomach tickle with butterflies that would sometimes die a timely death from guilt.


She left him to put CJ to bed then she stripped Jake's bed and took a selfish moment to breathe in the traces of him. She would never love him like she loved Nick. So, why did she do it? Why was she so intimate with him? Was she lonely? Was she desperate? Perhaps she was all of those things. Perhaps she would never fully understand what she had done or why she felt at the moment it was okay.


She carried the linens downstairs and began the sequence of loading and unloading the washer and dryer. She'd have to wash Jake's linens herself to make sure no trace of their lovemaking remained. She was so glad that Jake had flushed the used condoms.


She heard movement through the house and realized that Nick must be up, hunting for food in the kitchen. She followed the noise to find him in there hanging on the refrigerator door.


"Hungry? I could make you something." She approached him.


"Huh? No, I'll get something myself." He pulled their leftover Chinese food out and heated it up in the microwave.


"Your stomach must be feeling better."


"Yeah, it is." He took the food to the table and she handed him a fork. "Sit down."


Lexie took a seat across from him at the kitchen table and watched him eat a few bites. He finally swallowed and looked up at her.


"I promised CJ I'd come home and talk to you. She's upset that you and I aren't getting along. The problem is, I don't know what else to say."


"Oh, Nick." She gasped and she reached out and took his hand. "I know how upset you are about all of this with Chris and Scotty, but can't you understand it was something I had to do? Something we had to do?"


"No. I still haven't figured that out. Christine could have gone and died in New York, and we would have never known except for your snooping around. I wouldn't be in this position of having to lie to CJ."


"But now you don't have to lie to her. You could tell her the truth."


"How do I do that? I just told her tonight I had no idea where her mother was when she's living in the goddamn pool house!"


"She asked about her mother?"


"Yeah, she asked if I knew where she was. Just like that. Right out of the blue." Nick snapped his long fingers in front of her face and she let go of his hand.


"We have to come to some kind of compromise."


"Compromise? The time for compromise was before you moved her into the damn pool house. Now I have no choice in what happens. I have to do it your way."


"No, I could send her to a hospice and have the state put Scotty in foster care."


"You'd never do that."


"If I had to, but I don't think I have to. I know you know in your heart this is right, Nick. If you could just get past your own fear of losing CJ. You can't lose her now, her mother is dying."


"What about her kid?"


"Would it really be so difficult to take him in? We can afford it. We have room. He's not a difficult child." Lexie sighed. "You loved her once, Nick. Can't you open your heart just a little more for her child?"


The silence was thick, and Nick took that time to eat a few more bites, but he wasn't tasting the food. He was just filling time.


"He can stay after she dies, I'll sign whatever papers you want me to." He finally said. "But we don't tell CJ until after we talk to a professional. I don't want to shock her out of her entire world. The only world she's ever known. Her life with me!"


Lexie's hands flew to her face and tears welled in her eyes, "Oh, God. Thank you, Nick. Thank you."


Nick pushed the plate away from him and got to his feet. "I have to go back to Orlando this week. The last of the tracks have to be finished and there is a photo shoot for the cover."


"Oh, okay." She nodded eagerly, still not believing what she heard.


"That's on Wednesday. The video shoot for the first single is on Friday and Saturday. It was the only time we could get to book that old theatre in Orlando. You should be there."


"Really? Which one?"


"Whatever ones you want to." He shrugged as he turned and headed out of the kitchen.



That night, Lexie slept better than she had in weeks. She couldn't wait to tell Christine of Nick's consent to introduce her to CJ as her mother. Lexie knew she'd have no problem going to see a professional first.


In the morning, Nick got up and showered in their bathroom while Lexie got CJ ready. He was standing naked at the sink shaving when she came in to use the shower. He didn't issue her a second glance, not even when she undressed behind him and got in to use the shower. He watched her though. He watched her through the shower's glass. He glanced down at his own response to her and chuckled to himself.


Nick finished shaving and went into their closet to pick out something to wear. He slipped on some shorts and a golf shirt. He turned to watch her step from the shower and towel herself off. She dressed in the bathroom, since she usually always took her clothes in there with her.


He sat on a stool and began to pull on some tennis shoes and considered what he was doing. Could he live with the knowledge that she's been unfaithful to him? She didn't seem to be unattracted to him. She didn't seem to not want him there in the bathroom. If she were so in love with Jake to sleep with him, why would she be so open as to strip in front of him?


Because maybe nothing happened.


"Lexie!" CJ yelled as she ran into the bedroom, her long blonde hair a tangled mess. "I can't get my hair to brush out!"


For some reason, Nick pushed himself into the corner of the walk in closet so he couldn't be seen.


"What did you do to it?" Lexie gasped as she saw the rat's nest CJ's hair had become.


"I was trying to do something new. . ."


"What, the finger-in-the-socket look? Come here. I have some spray in conditioner that may get that out."


After a few "eeks", "ows" and "that hurts", the brush moved effortless through CJ's hair and Lexie was braiding it into a long tail down her back.


"Lex?" CJ asked as she sat on one of their bathroom stools, her feet swinging.


"Yeah?"


"Did my Dad talk to you?"


"About what?"


"About you guys fighting? I told him how sad and upset you were. He promised he'd talk to you. I made him come back to Orlando."


"Oh, that. Yes, he talked to me. We talked a few things out."


"Is everything okay again?"


"Well, almost. We have some details to still work out for us both to be happy, but we should be right back on track soon enough."


"Like telling me that Ann is really my mother Christine?"


Oh my God! Nick clamped both hands over his mouth to stop the primal scream. Oh God no!


Lexie was flustered and was stammering until she finally got the question out, "How do you know that?"


"I just figured it out." She shrugged. "Lexie, are you okay?"


"I. . .uh. . .yes. How do you feel about that?"


"Okay, I guess. Lexie, does that make Scotty my half brother?"


"Well, yes." Lexie agreed too stunned to say anything else.


"Is that what you and Dad have been fighting about?"


"Uh. . .well. . .sorta. . ."


"Because it's okay. I mean, I still love you and my Dad. Dad is the greatest Dad. He took care of me when she went away. I wonder why she went away. Did you ever ask her?"


"No, I can't say I have." CJ's hair continued to weave through Lexie's fingers.


"You think I could ask her?"


"You know. I don't think that's a good idea right now. Maybe we should wait on that."


"Yeah, she's pretty sick. She's usually better in the morning after some sleep." CJ mused. "I wish she wasn't sick and all. I wish she'd be around longer."


"I know, honey."


"I think my Dad is going to be pretty upset when he knows I know."


"You know, I think I'll tell your Dad you know and by the time you get back from school today we'll have some more answers for you." Lexie tied off CJ's braid.


"You know, when I was little I used to be afraid that my mother would come and take me away from Dad. He always promised he'd never let that happen and I guess he was right. I'm pretty lucky to have a Dad like him, huh? I mean, your Dad didn't keep you after your mother went away." CJ lifted her eyes to look in the mirror at Lexie. "I think that's why you came to me and my Dad, because you and I are kinda in the same boat. It still turned out we got pretty good dads. Even Poppy figured out how to be a better dad."


"Yeah, I guess so." Lexie nodded blindly.


"I'm going to go have breakfast. Are you coming?"


"No, I need to finish my makeup."


"Okay. I won't say a word until later."


"Okay, babe." CJ hopped down from the stool and scampered from the bedroom, slamming the door as she went.


Nick had peered around the storage shelf in the closet and watched Lexie slump against the stool CJ had once occupied. She began to cry in hard, breathtaking gasps and Nick stumbled from the closet and rushed to her side. She fell into his arms and they sobbed together.


"How could she know?! How could she know?!" Lexie gasped. "I didn't say a word to her, I swear, Nick!"


"I know, I know." Nick held her close, tucking her head under his chin. "I'll stay home today and make some calls about what we should do. We're going to have to talk to Christine together."


"I'm so sorry, Nick. I'm so sorry, this all my fault. Oh, God, I'm so sorry. I never meant to hurt you, I swear." Lexie began to sob.


"Shh, it's okay. We've just got to get through this. . ." He cried.


"None of this would have happened. . ."


"It doesn't matter. What's done is done. " Nick took a deep breath and tried to calm himself. Lexie tried to catch her breath as well.


She looked up at him and smiled, "What were you doing in the closet?"


"I was just getting dressed." He chuckled.


"Were you watching me get dressed?"


"You are my wife."



It was a declaration said in the simplest of tones, but it felt awkward. Lexie didn't feel like Nick's wife. Not like she had before she created this mess. For the first time, in absence of this feeling, Lexie realized she had made a terrible mistake by doing this the way she had. She could understand her motivations, but her methods have nearly lost her everything.


After some breakfast, Lexie took CJ to school like nothing else happened, and Nick was on the phone trying to reach a psychologist to help them out. He got a referral from an agency for someone who would be willing to come to the house for this emergency.


"That's great." Lexie agreed as she stood in the doorway of the office.


"We'd better go talk to Christine."


"Yes, we'd better." She agreed. They walked together to the pool house and asked Eliza to take Scotty out for a little while.


"We need to talk to you." Nick pulled up a chair across from the couch where she sat under a blanket.


"As something happened? Has something happened to CJ?"


"No, she's fine." Lexie reassured her.


"But CJ knows. She knows you're her mother." Nick's elbows rested on his knees as he leaned forward, knotting his fingers together in front of him.


"I didn't tell her. . ."


"I know you didn't. She figured it out on her own, although how I have no idea." Nick sighed.


"What are we doing now?"


"I've hired a child psychologist to help us out. She's going to meet with us today at noon. I don't want this to scar CJ for life." Nick sat up straight in the chair. "We're going to have to confirm everything for her tonight."


"Alright." Christine agreed.


"I've also agreed to take care of Scotty once you're . . ." Nick stammered to an end.


"Have you really?" She looked at Lexie in disbelief. "Oh, thank you, Nick! I. . .I can't thank you enough." Christine began to cry quietly. Lexie reached out and took her hand. "I can't thank you enough."


"Shh, it's alright now. We have a lawyer who can draw up the papers for us to take custody of him." Lexie looked up at Nick. "I'll call Sabrina this afternoon."


He nodded in agreement.



They left her to rest, then brought her to the house at noon for lunch. Dr. Kelly Sanford arrived promptly at the house and it was Nick who greeted her and brought the petite black woman to the living room where they were all waiting. She introduced herself to everyone and sat down in an end chair by the fireplace.


"This might be a little rough in the beginning. These emergency cases usually are until I can sort out everyone. Now, Christine you are CJ's biological mother, correct?"


"Yes, I am."


"And Nick, you're her biological father."


"Yes." He nodded. He had taken a seat next to Lexie, although not too close. Christine was sitting closer to the doctor.


"And Lexie, you're Nick's wife?"


"Yes."


"I want to say that I think this is a brave thing you are doing. Allowing CJ to experience some time with her mother before she passes. I know it seems really unsure and scary now, but children have a remarkable ability to adjust to things and from what you've told me already, Nick, CJ is adjusting to this well." Dr. Sanford continued. "I am concerned about the other child though, your son, Christine, Scotty."


"What about him?"


"How is he going to feel knowing that his mother has another child?"


"I don't know. I hadn't thought about it, honestly."


"Does he ask where he is going to go once you're gone?"


"No, not really."


"We're going to have to bring Scotty into these things from now on. It's important that he feels as little abandonment as possible in the transition. Do you all agree?"


The three of them all nodded in agreement.


"Nick has already told me that he and Lexie have agreed to adopt him and give him a home with his half sister." She said. "I need to know first off, what kind of questions do you think CJ is going to have first about her mother? What does she want to know?"


Nick and Lexie exchanged looks before Nick spoke up, "She wants to know why you left."

Chapter 47 by old_archive

Christine's eyes flew between the doctor and Nick, and then they settled on Lexie.


"I. . .I don't know what to say."


"What's so tough about it? Why did you just dump CJ with Jill and just leave? No explanation, nothing!" Nick demanded. Lexie reached out and laid a hand on his arm. He sat back from the edge of the couch.


"I got scared, I. . ." She stammered. "I don't know what to say!"


"Maybe I should leave." Lexie said suddenly as she looked over at the doctor. "This is really between them."


"Would that make it easier on you, Christine?"


Christine, her eyes down cast, remained silent and just nodded in agreement. Without a word, Lexie got up and headed into the office. Nick's eyes followed her.


Is she going to call him?


"Tell us, Christine, why did you leave Nick and CJ?" Dr. Sanford asked.


Christine sat back in the seat and rubbed her eyes and gathered her courage. Should she tell him the truth? After all these years and everything that has happened, should she just tell him? She didn't look at him when she spoke.


"I never loved Nick. Being with him was. . .was what is expected in the entertainment business. I was a model, he was a musician and it worked. We made an aesthetically pleasing couple."


Nick's jaw dropped, and he was momentarily stunned. A million scenarios had run through his head over the years, the most common was that she left him for someone who didn't want children.


He regained himself and demanded to know, "Then why did you ever have a child with me?!"


"I didn't mean to, it was an accident. I had always been careful, even when you weren't." She pointed out. "After she was born, you were never around. You were off jetting around being Nick Carter."


"I was working on my career!"


"If you're honest, you'll admit you never loved me, either." Her voice was so quiet, but Nick's continued to rise.


"That's not true! I loved you. I was devastated when you left." Nick couldn't believe it. He had loved her. He instantly remembered how shy and beautiful she was and how she used to make him forget about all of the stress of being him. She gave him something else to focus on and something else to love.


"You never really admitted it before. Let's face it, Nick. You were different than you are now. You were arrogant, and at times you were mean. I couldn't live with you any more. I couldn't stand you and how you would talk to me."


Driven to silence, Nick knew what she meant. He hadn't been to her what he was to Lexie. Nothing compared to his relationship with Lexie.


"I never wanted to have his baby. By the time I left I could barely stand him and the thought of being linked to him forever. . ." Christine looked over at the doctor. "I didn't know. I didn't know then what it was like to love a child. I didn't understand until I had a child with someone I truly loved what it really meant. It was easy for me to walk away from the baby because she really only belonged to Nick."


"I just got tired of him picking at me, criticizing me all the time. Even when we were first together he told me what to do and what not to do. It was all about his image and nothing about us, nothing about us being a family with the baby." Christine began to cry. "I think leaving was the best thing I could have done for you. In spite of how you've treated Lexie these last couple weeks, you're not nearly as bad as you used to be. You're a good father, Nick. You're a good father."


Stunned, Nick simply sat back into the plush couch.


"That's very good, Christine. Nick? Do you have something to say to her now?"


He shook his head no.


"Anything?"


"No, it's all true. I was a bastard. I was a bastard to her." He snorted. He crossed his long legs, his left ankle resting on his knee as his head rested in his hand, his fingers rubbing his eyes. "Lexie is the first woman to ever stand up to me."


"What do you want to tell CJ about her mother leaving?"


"How do we tell her that her parents never loved each other?" Christine sobbed. "That I didn't love her enough to stay or take her with me?"


"We have to come up with something to tell her." The doctor insisted. "I think telling her that you're sorry might be a good start."


"I am sorry. I'm so sorry!"


"We'll tell her that we were young and made some bad decisions and that she was the best thing to happen to both of us." Nick offered.


"That's good. I think if you stay within those lines, you'll be doing well." Dr. Sanford agreed. "Children need to know that they are loved and accepted. She needs to know that your decision to leave had nothing to do with your feelings for her, only your feelings for Nick. Children do well when they are told that sometimes grown ups don't get along and it's better that they live apart. In your case, Nick and Christine, you need to tackle the fact that Christine left without further contact."


"Yeah, why didn't you try to contact us sooner, before you were sick?" Nick asked.


"I. . .I just didn't know how. Time passed and I'd see you in the entertainment news on tour with CJ and she looked happy and healthy." Christine shrugged. "I didn't want to fight you, Nick. I knew you and how cruel you could be."


"God, did I make it that impossible for you?"


"At times."


"I'm sorry, Christine." Nick said suddenly. He sat close to the edge of his couch and as close to her as he could get without moving off of it. "I never meant to hurt you. I was a bastard, and I'll admit it. I don't think I ever learned what unconditional love was until CJ. I owe you for her, even if you do hate my guts."



"Jesus, how's it going?" Jake asked over the phone.


"She was yelling at him for a while. It's quiet now." Lexie said.


"Do you know what she said?"


"No, I can't hear them in here. How was your flight?"


"Good. I slept most of this morning."


"I think you were still sleeping when I called you." She smiled.


"I was actually just studying. Just concentrating. Has Nick asked about us?"


"No, not at all. I don't know what he thinks about us, but with CJ figuring things out and the doctor here, we haven't had time to talk about much else."


"You're still going to deny it, aren't you?"


"Of course, I wouldn't do that to you."


"Me? You're worried about me?" He laughed.


"I don't know what Nick would do if he ever found out, and there are others to consider as well. What about your dad and your family?"


"He'd probably chalk it up to being a chip off the old block."


"You did not just say that."


"I did. You know my Dad is seeing someone. He told me when we were on vacation. He's probably going to divorce my mom this summer."


"I know, you told me."


"Hey, maybe I can blame it on being from a broken home."


"Hell, so can I." They laughed as they shared the joke.


"I sure miss you." He said suddenly. All I want to do is be there with you again, even though I know I can't.


"I miss you, too."


"Oh, damn! I gotta go. I promised to cover a shift at the college station tonight. I gotta be there in about 20."


"Okay, you'd better go."


"I'll see you, bye. Love you."


"Love you, too."


Heart racing, Jake hung up his cell phone. God, he hated lying to her like that, but he had to keep his sanity. Even on the phone his mind was racing back to the hours they had spent making love.



The doctor sent for Lexie, and together they formed a plan to answer all of the questions they thought CJ would ask. They formed answers on Christine leaving and never contacting them, to where Scotty was going to live, and what Scotty's name was going to be.


Scott Thomas Carter.


They covered the topics of Christine's disease, her death, and helping Scotty transition into his new family. She suggested they start including him in activities with Nick, Lexie, and CJ.


"Is there anything else you want to cover?" The doctor asked them. "I wouldn't worry too much. I think you have a good plan, and CJ sounds as though she will be able to handle it fine. It might not go perfectly and she may think of more questions later, but just take it slow and easy and admit when you don't have the answer. I'd like to schedule a follow up appointment with all of you on Friday, if I could."


"Uh. . . we can't. Nick's video is shooting on Friday." Lexie said.


"That's fine, I'll cancel it."


"No, no. How's Thursday? Is that better?"


"Yeah, I can reschedule things on Thursday."


"Good. I can come back, talk to the children, and see how things are going."


Everyone agreed it was fine. Nick and Lexie walked the doctor to the door with their promise to call her if they needed her. Nick offered to take Christine back to the pool house while Lexie took a break in the kitchen.


"I'm sorry, Nick." Christine pleaded with him as he helped her back to the pool house. He opened the door and led her in without a word. "God, please say something. Please say you forgive me."


"It's done now." He said sharply. He got her to the couch and gently laid a blanket across her lap.


"It's all my fault, and I'm sorry. Please don't blame Lexie any more. I owe her so much. . ." Christine began to sob. "I don't deserve her kindness, I don't deserve any of this."


"Goddamn it, Christine, stop crying." He snapped suddenly. God, where had she heard that before? It didn't work. She continued to sob until Nick left her crying alone on the couch.



"Where are you going?" Lexie asked as she and Cook stood in the dinning room and watch him stomp through the house.


"I'm fuckin' going out!" He snapped as he continued through the house. They heard him jangle car keys as he sorted through them on the rack inside the laundry room. The automatic garage door opener clicked, the gears opened the door and then they heard the familiar roar of one of the Porsches.


"He'll be back." Cook said to break the silence. Lexie didn't say a word. "You want some ice cream?"


Lexie swallowed hard and just shook her head 'no'. "I'd better go check on Christine."


Lexie headed to the pool house, knocked, and then let herself in. She found Christine sobbing alone. Gently, Lexie sat at the foot of the couch and stroked her leg.


"What did he say?" Lexie asked gently.


"Nothing, it's not him." Christine waved a thin hand at her.


"Then what happened?"


"Nothing."


"Then why are you in here crying and he's just left in one of the Porsches?"


"I just wanted his forgiveness. . ." She sobbed. "He can't forgive me, Lexie. He can't forgive me for leaving."


"It's tough for everyone right now. He needs time to digest it all, that's all." Lexie sighed. Christine began to struggle to get out from under the blanket and get her feet on the floor. "Where are you going?"


"I have papers to give you." She wiped her eyes, and Lexie followed her into the bedroom. She shifted through her top dresser drawer as Lexie sat on the bed.


Christine handed Lexie Scotty's birth certificate and other records for vaccinations and health. She handed Lexie her will and told her to read it. It already had Nick and Lexie written in as gaining custody of Scotty.


"I have some funds for him. It's not much, but you and Nick can do whatever you want with them." She stood at the foot of the bed with a bundle of letters wrapped in a silk ribbon. "I wrote him some letters. Will you give them to him when he's older? Maybe when he's 18 or something?"


A lump caught in Lexie's throat. Scotty at 18. She'll never know what he's like and she's his mother. Lexie blinked back the tears and nodded as she took them.


"There are some for CJ, too. Maybe they will make more sense to Nick than what I said to him today. They are in there, too. You can read them, I don't care."


"No, they are for the children." Lexie choked on her words. "I'll put them away for them."


"I have one more document with my lawyer to give him when he's 18 years old." Christine continued. "It tells him about my family, about where I came from."


"Why wait?"


"My parents. . .it's hard to explain. I haven't spoken to my family in years, Lexie. Even Nick doesn't know about them. I want it this way. I don't want them near Scotty until he's an adult."


"Are you sure?"


"Yes. They'd fight for him. I want him here with you and Nick. They might even go after CJ. I don't have anyone else for them but Nick, and I know he won't want them around. You don't want them around."


"Who are they?"


"No one as far as I'm concerned." She snorted.


"What about his father?" Lexie finally asked. Christine just furrowed her brow at her question. "Scotty's father? Does he know he has a son?"


"No. He's married. It's better he not know either. He'll interfere with you and Nick."


"The court will ask."


"No, they won't. As long as I state in my will that he's had no contact with Scotty and you two are his legal guardians, then they won't ask. He's absentee." Christine explained. "I had my lawyer look into it."


Lexie fingered the silk ribbon holding the letters, caressing the fine paper the letters were written on. Silence fell on the two women, and neither one was willing to break it.


"He also told me to tell you who Scotty's father is. He told me for health reasons it would be important." Christine sighed. "I'll tell you, but you have to promise not to tell Nick until after I'm gone."


"What?!" Lexie snapped as her dark head flew up to look at her. "Are you insane? I can't keep any more secrets from Nick?! No! Don't tell me!"


Lexie scrambled from the bed and past her, but Christine grabbed Lexie's arm.


"Listen to me, Lexie, this is important."


"No!" Lexie screamed. "Don't you understand what this could cost me?! I barely have him back now! I should have never done this! Never!"


Christine held on to Lexie the best she could with both hands and shook her, "Listen to me! Promise me, Lexie! Swear to me you won't tell Nick until later! I don't care what you do once I'm gone, but he'll never forgive me for this! Never! I have to have some forgiveness before I die. Nick will never understand!"


"No, no, no. . .please, Christine, please don't ask me to do this. . ." Lexie began to cry, laying her head on the dying woman's shoulder.


"He loves you, Lexie. Nick will forgive you. He'll never forgive me." Christine smoothed Lexie's hair. "Please keep this secret until I'm gone."


"I can't. . ." Lexie sobbed.


"I'm begging you, Lexie."


"No, I'll lose him. I can't lose him, Christine. I can't live without him."


Both women fell to their knees as they cried in the pool house bedroom. "I can't take this with me."


"Tell someone else, don't tell me." Lexie continued to sob and shake her head.


"I can't. I don't have anyone else. You are all I have, Lexie. You are all Scotty has." Christine lifted Lexie's head off her shoulder and wiped her eyes. "I'm so sorry I have to ask you do to this, but you'll understand why."


Lexie's eyes were dark pools of liquid, each brimming with even more tears.


"I can see why Nick loves you so much." Christine mused. "Understand that I loved Scotty's father as much. Lexie, his father never really loved me, so in a way that Nick doesn't know, I understand what he's going through. I'm not doing this for me or for Scotty's father. I'm doing this for my baby. I don't want to hurt you, but someone other than me has to know."


Lexie didn't move. She didn't nod. She never agreed that she wanted to know, but Christine told her anyway.


"Scotty's father is Kevin Richardson."

Chapter 48 by old_archive

"How long has she been out there?" Nick asked Cook as they stood on the deck and looked out towards the ocean.


"Hours."


"It's getting too late for her to be out there."


"She's probably exhausted."


"I'll go get her." He turned and headed down the wood stairs to the beach. His walk across the sand was slow and deliberate.


Lexie saw him on the beach and saw him wave her in. She turned her body and the waves pushed her back to the shore with little effort. Once on her feet, she pushed through and headed toward him.


"I picked up CJ and we've eaten. We need to go talk to her and Christine." He handed her a towel.


"Okay." Lexie's breathing was labored.


"Why are you pushing yourself so hard?" He asked as she walked past him to pack her tote bag.


She wrapped a short skirt around her slender waist and looked back over her shoulder at him, "Why did you go for a drive?" She shrugged as she continued, "We'd better go. I'll just change into something real quick."


They walked back up in silence, splitting off for him to go gather everyone and her to go change her clothes. Everyone was in the family room waiting for her. The kids had the TV going with cartoons. Lexie smiled at both of them as she sat on the couch between them.


"TV off." Nick ordered and the screen went black.


"Oh, Dad!" CJ groaned with a laugh. "Hi, Lexie!"


"Hi, C." She smiled as the little girl turned into her arms.


"You smell like seaweed." CJ teased her. "You're going to turn into a mermaid if you stay in the ocean too much."


"I don't think so." Lexie smiled back.


"Lexie! Look what I got on!" Scotty pulled his shirt out from his body to show her the Mickey Mouse proudly sewn on there. "I got this at Disney World."


"I can see that." She reached up and tussled his dark curls. So much like Jake's and those eyes, why didn't I notice sooner? Without thinking, she pulled Scotty close and kissed the top of his head.


Scotty easily accepted Lexie's affection and snuggled closer to sit on the couch closer to her than his mother. CJ moved into Nick's arms and stood between his feet.


"We have something we have to tell you two." Nick began. "Something CJ already knows." Scotty peered up at Lexie and then looked over at his mother.


"CJ, you were right. Ann is really Christine. She is your mother." He spoke so softly that it was barely a whisper. CJ only looked over at her, then she hooked a protective arm around Nick's neck as he kissed her cheek. "There is nothing to worry about."


"Scotty, honey?" Christine reached out and touched his bare little leg. "CJ is your sister."


He didn't seem to know what to make of any of it.


"Is Scotty going to live here?" CJ suddenly asked.


"Yes. He will." Nick told her.


"What room is going to be his?"


"Well, I don't really know that part yet." Nick chuckled.


"He can have mine. I want the big one at the end of the hall."


"Okay, well, we'll talk about that later." He pulled her close and kissed her cheek again. "Right now, I want you to know that I love you very much and this doesn't change anything, okay?"


"What about Lexie?" Tears began to form in her eyes.


"Oh, baby, you know I love you, too." Lexie pulled her into her arms so that she had both children close. "Nothing will ever change that."


"What about you?" CJ asked her mother from within the protection of Lexie's arms.


"I love you, too." Christine swallowed hard.


"Where have you been?"


"CJ. Sometimes when. . ." Nick began.


"She's like AJ, isn't she?" CJ looked up at Lexie, ignoring Nick.


"Yeah, sorta." Lexie shrugged.


"It's okay now, right?"


"Yeah." Lexie nodded.


CJ looked over at her mother and said, "That's okay. It's okay now."


"I'm glad." Christine smiled, although obviously unsure about what they were talking about.


Scotty moved away from Lexie and climbed into his mother's arms, starting to look very scared.


"Honey, you know that Mommy is very sick, right?"


He only nodded 'yes'.


"And you and I have talked about me going away someday. . ."


"I don't want you to go away." He mumbled, looking over at Lexie, Nick, and CJ.


"Well, when I go away you're going to live with Lexie, CJ, and Nick. They are going to take care of you."


"Why do you have to go away?" Scotty asked her.


"I'm sorry, honey, I don't want to. . ."


"I have a book." CJ suddenly volunteered. Christine looked over at her daughter. "Dad gave it to me when Grandpa Bob died. I think I was littler than Scotty, but I know where it is. I can get it. It'll help."


"Oh. . .thank you." Christine stammered. The amazed look on her face was not lost on Nick and Lexie, but they had years of watching CJ do amazing things.


"Come on. " She pushed off from Lexie and took Scotty's hand. Together they left to go up to her room.


"I don't understand." Christine said when they were gone. "What are you two talking about?"


"Me and CJ? Oh, my father, AJ McLean." Lexie said with a small smile. "You see, my mother died in an auto wreck when I was 9. My father hadn't been around much and when it came time to take custody of me, he didn't do it. He signed over his rights to Nick's band mate, Howie Dorough. I never saw my father again until about five or so years ago. Now with basically two dads, she and I have talked about a lot of things. She calls my adoptive father, Grandpa and my biological father, Poppy. She's found a way to understand what happened and that, at times, parents do come back and make good with their kids. That's what AJ did, and that's what you're doing. I think she just drew that conclusion."


"Now I know why she is so amazing." Christine sighed.


"This is a little girl who was talking about fate this morning." Nick chuckled. "She gave Lexie this whole speech about that is why she came to us, to help her figure out things with her mother."


"I think she right. I think life sent you an angel, Nick, and I don't think it's just CJ."



The children watched a movie until it was time to go to bed. Scotty took CJ's children's book about death and dying with him. CJ hugged her mother good night before telling Nick he had to tuck her in. Lexie stayed in the family room as Christine and Nick went their separate ways.


She ran through the channels of the satellite dish and was watching a documentary on the Amish when Nick returned.


"Interesting?"


"Somewhat. I know most of this. How did it go?"


"She was clingy, but okay." He came around and sat on the black leather couch next to her. He stretched his arm out along the back, his fingers within millimeters of touching her.


"I don't think Scotty really understands."


"He's only four. Of course he doesn't." He lifted his hand and rubbed his eyes.


"How was your drive?"


"I got a ticket."


"Couldn't talk them out of it?"


"Didn't even try. How was your swim?"


"Good."


"You must be exhausted."


"Not really. I've been swimming a lot."


"You shouldn't be in the currents alone."


"I know."


"One good riptide. . ."


"I know."


"I've got to go to Orlando in the morning. I've got to finish mixing." He finally sighed, letting his arm drop again.


"I know."


"You're still welcome to come to the photo shoot on Wednesday and the video shoot this weekend."


"Thanks. I'm sure I can make them. The doctor is coming back Thursday."


"No problem, I'll be here."


"I have to ask." Nick suddenly began. Oh no, what?! "Are you ever going to make up with AJ?"


"I guess." She shrugged.


"The kids are asking about you."


"I'll see them, okay?" She looked over at him, studying him.


"What?"


"Nothing. I'm going to go take a shower." She turned the TV off and then headed upstairs without another word.



Scotty was at the door in the morning for breakfast, and Nick actually let him in. Lexie stumbled in after CJ, and the four of them ate breakfast together. The phone rang and Cook answered, bringing the handset to the table.


"Lexie, it's for you. Says they are your secret admirer." She giggled, handing it over to her.


Damn it, Jake! "Hello?" She asked.


"Lexie? It's Vicki, Vicki Winslow."


"Oh, Vicki!" Lexie gasped. "How are you?"


"Better yet? How are you? How's Tampa treating you?"


"Good, busy though."


"I bet. I had to call. My producers don't want me to put off our interview too much longer. With Nick's album about to come out, maybe we could do it in the next week or so."


"Oh, no, I couldn't. . ." Lexie began, then Nick started tapping her arm and shaking his head 'no'.


"Do it." He whispered. "PR."


"It'll be great exposure for Nick, and I think it will tie in nicely. . ."


Nick kept poking her arm.


"Look, I'm sorry, Vicki, but now is not a good time. My father is sick and. . ."


And poking her arm.


"I heard about that and I'm sorry. I still think it would be a good idea. . ."


And poking her arm.


"No, I. . .alright all ready! I'll do it!" Lexie exclaimed, swatting his hand away.


"Oh, well, uh. . .great." Vicki smiled. "How is next week for you?"


"Fine, any time."


"Monday?"


"Monday is fine." Lexie agreed.


"Good, I'll be at your house around 9:00."


"That's good. I'll see you then."


"Great! I'll see you then, Lexie."


Click.


"Damn it, Nick. I was on the phone!" She groaned as she turned the handset off.


"How can your turn down an interview with Victoria Winslow at a time like this? When my album is about to come out?"


"Your album isn't due for another three months, and she's not even talking about you during this." Lexie slid her chair back and threw down her napkin. "I do not need one more thing to worry about!"


She left the kitchen and Nick looked over at the children.


"Oh, oh. Lexie's mad at you." Scotty said.


Nick looked over at his blank little face. "I know, I'm in big trouble now."


The two stared at each other until Nick let out a little smile and Scotty returned it.



The rest of the day was routine. CJ asked a few more questions here and there, including if she could stay home to spend time with Christine and Scotty. Nick said no, but said she could stay home in Tampa this weekend with them instead of coming to the video shoot. He talked to Cook about spending the time at the house while he and Lexie were Orlando. She agreed with a secret little glint in her eye. Nick caught it and thought she was on to something.


Perhaps if they spent some time alone. . .


"What are you doing today?" Nick asked Lexie as they picked through car keys deciding what to drive. She found her sedan's keys on the floor after his little tirade yesterday. She bent down to pick them up and turned to face him with one hand on the knob to the garage.


"I've got to go visit Dad. You need me to drive CJ to school?"


"No, I've got it." He nodded, but she turned quickly and opened the door. "Uh, hey! Uh. . .maybe we could have lunch or something."


She turned and stared at him. "Uh. . .sure. Call me."


"Cool." He nodded.


"Cool." She raised an eyebrow at him and then turned to go get in her car.


"Do you have a date with Lexie?" CJ smiled from behind him.


"Yeah, I think I kinda do." He smiled at her.


"I think you better bring her some flowers." CJ hitched her backpack over her shoulder and marched past him to head into the garage. "And some perfume. Girls like perfume."


"Yeah, but what if the girl likes someone else." He sighed when she was too far to hear him.



Lexie went about her routine, seeing her father and then seeing her siblings. She never did have a chance to have lunch with Nick. AJ ordered it in, and she didn't want to deal with him until tomorrow. That's when Nick told her that AJ wouldn't be there. He and Tina were taking a short break through the weekend and taking the kids to a water park in Toronto.


She went home to Tampa and took the kids to the beach while Christine rested. She never said another word to Christine about Scotty's father because she didn't even want to think about it. She wanted to tell someone and that would normally be something she would have told Jake, but she couldn't even tell him.


Her mother noticed she was preoccupied and while she tried to press Lexie for information, she refused to answer. Lexie wasn't even sure how much her parents knew about her bringing Christine to Tampa. If they even knew. AJ had promised to keep them out of it and hopefully the rest of the boys did as well.


Her phone rang as she sat on the beach watching the children.


"Hello?"


"Lexie?"


"Gina? Hey, girl, how are you?"


"Lexie, I need to ask you something."


"Shoot." Lexie shrugged.


"Was Jake with you last weekend?"


Oh, shit. They had never discussed Jake's relationship with Gina that had started back in L.A. She didn't know what to say. . .


"I saw him. He bunked here when he was talking to a few radio stations for work, why?" Lexie cautiously answered.


"Thank God." Gina sighed with a laugh.


"Why? What's up?"


"He just flew out from school last weekend and didn't tell me where he went. I know this sounds shitty, but I wasn't sure if he was telling me the truth or not." She laughed.


"Dang, girl, what did you think he was doing?"


"Who knows? I don't know why I'm so paranoid, hell, I never have been before."


"You and Jake serious?"


"As serious as Jake can be."


"Oh."


"It's long distance, ya' know? I know he's going back East after graduation. I don't even know why he still insists on us staying together sometimes. I mean, we never see each other."


"Have you tried breaking it off with him?"


"A few times, but he keeps asking me not to."


"Don't you have any. . .uh. . ."


"Feelings, Lex?" Her friend laughed. "Of course I have some feelings for him, Lexie, but it's not like. . .well, you and Nick. I don't think he's 'the one' if you know what I mean."


"Yeah, I know what you mean."


"I doubt he's been faithful or anything."


"Really?"


"Hell, every time I call his dorm, he's got another girl up there answering the phone." "He does?!" Lexie gasped.


"Yeah, you sound surprised."


"I am, I guess. I mean, we never really talk about anything other than our unholy Backstreet relations."


"Girl, sometimes, I'm not even sure if he's sure of who he's talking to on the phone." Gina laughed.


Had he simply just used me? Was it all some kind of frat prank? Did I risk everything to be the butt of some kind of sick joke?

Chapter 49 by old_archive

"You son-of-a-bitch. You better call me when you get in." Lexie growled into Jake's voicemail.


Lexie took the children in for dinner and then took a call from Nick saying he wouldn't be home that night and could she bring him some clean clothes in the morning. They had to work through the night. She agreed to meet him at 9 in the morning for his stylist appointment and the photo shoot.


She tucked the children in their own beds and then went to Nick's room to pack him a bag.


What was he thinking this morning? He forgot his glasses, again.


She folded the wireless frames up and put them in a case, dropping them into the bag. She went to the dresser and got him all of the basic necessities he would need to change. She packed him some casual jeans and a polo shirt and not remembering what shoes he had on this morning, she packed an extra pair of tennis shoes.


She carried the bag to the door and her eye caught something on the floor behind the door.


Fairy Bunny.


"Hey, missed you little guy." She reached down and picked up Nick's stuffed bunny. "Wanna sleep with me tonight? Why not, I've about got a revolving door. Eww, that was sad, wasn't it? Oh, c'mon, it'll be fun."


Lexie carried the stuffed animal into the master bedroom and set him on the bed stand. She made sure the door was closed as she continued to confide in the blue-eyed, pink-fuzzed creature.


"You know. I'm not sure what Nick's been up to these last couple weeks, you'd tell me if it were something bad, wouldn't you?" She asked it. "I guess he could do half of Orlando and it still wouldn't make what I did right, huh? I'm an idiot, aren't I?"


Lexie took it and stretched out on the bed, resting on her elbows with the bunny in her hands.


"I'm my father, and so is he, aren't we? We are just Backstreet prodigy, and there is no getting away from it, is there? You know, a part of me wants to tell Nick and just get it over with. Hell, he already hates my guts, what's a little more? At least he'll have a reason to finally get rid of me, and my dear father would have been right in the end. I am too young. I was too young to marry a guy 20 years older than me. See? I'm an idiot."


"It hasn't been too bad. Since CJ figured everything out, he's been civil, but we haven't really had any time alone. I wonder if he suspects? I wonder if this weekend he'll ask me since we'll be alone in AJ's house. Hey, then there wouldn't be any point to the interview on Monday. I guess there is always a bright side."


"I won't tell him though. I'll never tell him. I promised. I've promised a lot of people that I wouldn't tell a lot of things. I'm an idiot, I swear!" She laughed wickedly. "And I think I'm cracking up, too. I sounded like AJ just then. I sure miss my Pop, ya' know? I miss my Dad. I wish I could talk to him."


Lexie began to chew on her bottom lip.


"I miss my life before I fucked it all up."



Lexie had Scotty set and CJ at school as she drove to Orlando. She met Nick at a salon where they offered to do her hair, too. They fussed about the salt water damaging it and did a deep conditioning. Nick got his roots done, something she always found funny and they took about two inches off of his total length so he wasn't sitting on it any more. They trimmed Lexie's hair and gave her a manicure and pedicure, finishing in time for her to join Nick in a van to the photo shoot location.


"Where the hell are we going?" She asked him quietly as they sat in the back of the van. Stylists and record executives chattered on cell phone in the seats in front of them. "I'm starved. Are they going to feed us?"


"Sure. Hey, can we stop at McDonald's or something? We're hungry." He yelled out.


"Anything you want, Mr. Carter." The driver called out over the executive chatter.


"Damn." She giggled.


"I'm the big shit around here." He joked as the tinted window van pulled into the drive-thru.


They ordered a quick lunch and ate as they rode to the location, which was a historical mansion in the heart of Orlando. Trailers lined the street, and they were ushered in and taken upstairs so Nick could get dressed and styled.


No one really knew Lexie. She hadn't been around the studio for recording. She sat in the corner by herself, watching the comings and goings. Nick sent someone for her, and she went to see what he had changed into.


It was another suit, although fitting him very nicely, the dark color made him look older than he was. She hated that result when he constantly wore them. She wrinkled her nose at it, although she didn't say anything.


"She hates it."


"I didn't say that."


"You did so, but without words." Nick laughed. The day was going beautifully for him. Away from Tampa, time together, and things seemed so much better. Everything seemed like a distant memory, including his suspicions of Jake Richardson.


"No, it's fine." She shrugged.


"You see, my wife doesn't like me in suits."


"They make you look too old, especially that one." She said without thinking.


"Thanks, hon."


"I think he looks quite dashing." One of the young stylists said.


"There are a ton of different looks." He smiled.


"Excuse me? Mrs. Carter? You dropped your phone and it rang. It's a Jake Richardson." An assistant interrupted them.


"About time." She snapped as she snatched the phone from his hand. She walked out of earshot without a word or a look to Nick. As the little stylist girls fluttered around him, he watched her become increasing more agitated.



"What's got you so hot?" Jake laughed in her ear.


"I talked to Gina last night." She said plainly.


"Oh, that. No problem. We told her the same story."


"She told me you're a real player up there on campus." Lexie clipped.


"Excuse me? Are you getting pissed off at me because I'm dating Gina?"


"No, but after what I heard from her last night, everything we did was just some kind of . . .conquest for you, wasn't it?!"


"Wait a damn second here!" He snapped. "It's not like that at all."


"Really, then why is Gina under the impression you sleep around a lot on her?"


"Look, listen to me, okay? Me and Gina are complicated, okay? She's in L.A. and I'm up here. What happened between me and you is totally different, it's not even related."


"So, you love me but not Gina."


"I've never told Gina I loved her. Lexie, I've never told any woman that." He said quietly. "Hell, I'm not some Boy Scout. Never professed to be, but I didn't set out to conquer you or anything. I love you, Lexie."


I love you, like I'll never love any one else ever again. God, please don't make me relive it all over again.


Jake closed his eyes and spoke again. "Lexie, I swear. I only made love to you because I love you. Everything about you. I can't forget it. It just keeps running through my head. . .I have to go."


Click.


Lexie stared at the phone after Jake's painful parting words. What have I done?


Nick waved off the stylists and approached her when the phone call was over. She looked startled and confused.


"Everything okay?"


"Yeah. Everything is fine. He's just being a dork, you know?" She said glibly.


"Well, I hope everything is okay. I know you guys are friends and all."


"It's fine." Lexie nodded.


Nick's heart was racing. He didn't know what was going on. Part of him didn't want to know. He had to make a decision, and he had to make it quick before he lost her entirely.


He leaned over until his lips were only a breath's distance from her ear, "I love you, Lexie. It'll be okay. I promise." He whispered. A lone tear escaped her and he brushed his knuckles against her cheek to scoop it up. "We're taking the first photos in the living room. Join us when you can."


She only nodded.



Lexie joined him about 15 minutes later and stayed the whole day as he eventually changed into casual clothes she liked and they took pictures in the gardens out back. He laughed and smiled as they took the pictures, some were serious but most were relaxed.


They had a catered dinner with the crew and then were driven back to pick up their cars and head over to visit with her family.


"So, who is taking care of CJ?" Leah asked as they walked in.


"Cook is. She's going to do some babysitting for us this weekend." Nick answered as they walked through the house to the kitchen. "All the kids in bed?"


"Yeah, thank God." She laughed as they sat around the kitchen table.


"Sorry we're so late, Mom."


"Naw, don't worry about. Doesn't seem like a normal day if I don't see you." Leah chuckled. "So, where are you going this weekend?"


"Going?" Lexie asked.


"We'll be here in Orlando and shooting my first video at the old theatre downtown. We'll be staying at AJ's."


"We are?"


"Sure we are." Nick said without missing a heartbeat. "He's gone to Toronto with Tina, her girls, and Alex."


"Yeah, he said something about that. That reminds me, are you two fighting again?" She reached out and patted Lexie's arm.


"No."


"That's not what he said."


"Okay, a little."


"They just need to hammer out some things." Nick mused.


Really? I didn't know you were such an expert on my relationship with my father, Lexie mused to herself.


After a progress report about Howie and Nick's album, they said goodbye and drove back to Tampa. Cook was there with her husband, Bill, who promised to fix a downed gutter on the back of the house that weekend, and everyone else was in bed. Nick let them out and told Cook to report late, since both he and Lexie would be home waiting for their next visit with the therapist.


"I guess it's time for us to hit the sack as well." Nick locked the door and set the alarm.


"I guess so." She said as he followed her upstairs. He stopped her in the dark hall between their two rooms.


"I meant what I said earlier today. I do love you, Lexie." Nick looked down into her worried face. "I know that may seem weird with me sleeping in the other room."


"No, I understand." She nodded.


"Goodnight, Lexie." He bent down to kiss her cheek, but she moved away too quickly. She stopped at the door to the master bedroom and looked over at him.


"I have Fairy Bunny. If you need him."


"No, you keep him." Nick smiled as he turned and let himself into the guestroom, closing the door on her bewildered face.


Nick leaned heavily against the door. God, can I do this? Can I live the rest of my life never knowing if they did or didn't? What choice do I have? Living with the absolute knowledge isn't going to make it easier, is it?


His cell phone rang from its carrying case on his hip, and he answered it.


"Hey, Brian."


"Nick. I haven't heard from you in days. What the hell is going on?"


"I'm just trying to answer the questions, buddy." Nick kicked off his shoes and headed to sit in a chair in the corner.


"How are you doing?"


Nick was quiet for a little while and then asked his friend, "How do I get her back, Brian? If she's really interested in him, how do I get her back?"


"Beg her, Nick. Get on your knees and beg her if you have to." Brian closed his eyes and he listened to Nick breathe. "And then fight him with every fiber of your goddamnned being."



The children met with the doctor and then so did the adults. Dr. Sanford was more concerned about Scotty than CJ at this point, although both of them were concerned about Christine dying. Armed with more advice, they thanked her and set about putting plans into action. She felt the weekend away with the kids staying together and Christine was probably an okay thing to do at this time, as long as CJ knew she could call them at any time.


Lexie packed a bag for herself for the weekend and then suddenly realized she wasn't sure when she agreed to do this. Sure the last two days had been pleasant enough, but were they really ready for days alone? Well, not exactly the days because they would be at the video shoot. It was more like the nights. They would be spending nights alone at AJ's house.


The next morning, Cook sent Nick and Lexie off to Orlando with a wave and a wink and Lexie still wasn't sure what had happened to get her there. He played his demo disc for her and chattered on and on for the entire trip.


God, is he nervous or something?


Nick's first single was going to be a pretty, jazz style song titled "I See" written by a local songwriter, Gabrielle Huntington. She had never had a major hit, but Nick was sure that this would be her first.


"We're using the old theatre and flash back and forth between the past and the present, movies to live theatre as the "I See" kinda treatment. Should be pretty cool."


"I hope you can do it in two days."


"Me, too. It's the only time we could book the old place."


Lexie and Nick arrived in time to get shuttled off to wardrobe and make up. Lexie waited inside the theatre with some extras. Wardrobe dressed her in some modern clothes and set her out in the crowd with everyone else.


She sat back and chatted with a few of them, then a young woman was paraded out front of them onto the stage and everyone turned to stare.


She was everything Lexie wasn't. Fair-complexioned and fair-haired. She was slender, but a healthy weight, and in heels she was as tall as Nick when he came to stand behind her and take his mark. Her long blonde, sun-kissed hair fell to her shoulders and nearly matched his in color.


No wonder they insisted he go slightly darker.


Logically, Lexie knew it was just work as the sound was cued up and the director did some blocking with the two of them. The woman in her felt threatened by this stranger and her proximity to Nick.


"Okay! Let's take the first cut. Quiet! Lights and cue sound!" the assistant director yelled as the lights in the auditorium dropped and only the stage was lit.


The first chords played and the powerful jazz saxophone soared until it dipped quietly behind Nick's vocals. Nick moved toward his female lead, working out the blocking the director had given him. He reached out his hand and she slipped hers into his and he pulled her close, looking deeply into her eyes.


I see you

In the rainbows in my eyes

And I see you

In truth, with no disguise

I see you

Through all my hopes and all my fears

Then I see you

And it erases all my tears


I see you

Just beyond my imagination

I see you

And I tremble at the sensation

I see you

In perfect way love flows

I see you

That's all I really need to know


"Okay, cut!" The assistant director bellowed and the sound was cut off. "Okay, we're going to take some time to set up the performance part of the chorus. Nick, go take off your jacket and . . .you guys bring that chair over here!"


Nick took off his jacket and jumped off the stage as they set it. The house lights came back up and he searched for Lexie, found her, and waved her out to the aisle.


"So, what do you think so far?"


"Looks like that old Backstreet Boys video you guys did in an old theatre."


"Oh, really?"


"Yeah, I was expecting rain or something. I don't know, the song just reminds me of a rainy day." She shrugged as she reached up and loosened his tie.


"Hmmm, hadn't thought of that. They paid a fortune for this place. . ."


"Oh, it's fine for the performance segments, but the girl and the empty stage? Very Backstreet."


"I suppose I should have had you at the planning session for this." He smiled.


"Well, I'm not only half your age, I'm half the age of most of your executives, too." She chuckled. "Trust me. This is boring."


Lyrics from I See by Gabrielle Bessey ©2002, Used With Permission
Chapter 50 by old_archive

The director wasn't happy when Nick tried to incorporate some of Lexie's ideas into the treatment. She hadn't demanded anything and neither had Nick, but he became enraged and quit. Before lunch, they had an entire production team standing around waiting and burning money at the same time.


"Oh, great. Now what am I supposed to I do?" Nick groaned as he threw up his hands.


"Well, I didn't tell you to fire him." Lexie shrugged.


"I didn't, he quit. I'd better call AJ. . ." He reached for his phone.


"Why? He's never directed a video before, has he? No, call Kevin. See if he can roust some Hollywood director."


"Are you serious?"


"Of course I'm serious. I bet he'll come up with something or someone."


It only took an hour before Drew Barrymore ran through the auditorium waking everyone up. She stopped promptly at the storyboard, declared it crap, and ripped it up.


She snapped her bottle-blonde head at Nick and arched a brow at him, "I hear you're the star of this little show. Time is money, lover. Get your ass on stage. You? Who the hell are you?" She pointed at the assistant director. "Get this stage cleared off. I want a backdrop, a dark one if you have it! Snap to it. You've been sitting on your lazy union ass long enough." Then she promptly smacked the young man on the side of the head. "Don't even think about it. I'm still a union member, too."


Drew barely stopped to even discuss anything with Nick, but he couldn't disagree with any of her instant ideas.


She ordered him out of the suit and into jeans and a sweater, which she confessed would be no fun under the lights, but it would work. "Trust me."


"You extras? Fan out. I don't want more than two of you sitting together. I want you out all over the house!" She yelled out over the auditorium. "You? Aren't you the little woman?"


"Uh, yes, ma'am." Lexie stammered.


"Good, come here." Lexie followed her to fourth row center, and she was ordered to sit there. "Just a little motivation, sweetheart." And rather motherly, she pinched Lexie's cheek.


"Get this crap out of my shot; I'm panning this whole auditorium during his performance." She clapped her hands as the crew scrambled to move equipment and duck it behind seats. "Get that camera on stage!"


She moved quickly, dropping a mic and mic stand in front of Nick as he stood center stage. She kicked over a garbage can on her way backstage, "I said get this crap out of my shot!"


Wide-eyed, Nick looked out into the auditorium and stared at Lexie. His cell phone rang and he reached to answer it.


"Hello?"


"Hey, did Drew make it? Look, I discussed a few things with her before she got there. I think you've got a great hit there, Nicky." Kevin was smiling on the other end.


"Oh, yeah, she's here."


"She's never done a music video before, so go easy on her. She's doing me a favor."


"Oh, sure."


"Okay. Good luck, Nicky." Kevin laughed as he hung up.


"Who was that?" Lexie called out to him.


"Kevin." Nick looked at his phone, completely not sure what had just happened.


"Okay, Nick, this is what I need." Drew came around and stood directly in front of him. She spoke quietly, so no one else could hear. "I need you to sing this song, I mean, really sing it. I know you're going to sweat, but I want you to. Don't wipe too much off, okay? It's kinda crappy with the tape and all, but don't lip sync, I need you singing, and I need you to sing it to her." She pointed back at Lexie.


"Okay! I need some sound cued. Start at the beginning, we're going through to the entire end!" She moved away from Nick and walked from camera to camera to check angles. She ended up behind the boom of the stage camera that panned the audience from behind Nick. "Hey, Nick. Take your wallet and phone out of your pockets, makes your ass look big." A crew member ran up and took both from him. "Okay, get ready! Cue sound!"


There were several heartbeats of silence before the first strains of the saxophone began its powerful introduction. The house lights slowly lowered, and the stage lights slowly rose, causing a transition in light as the sax dropped behind Nick's vocals on the track.


It was a natural cue, and he began to sing.


I see you

In the rainbows in my eyes.

And I see you.

In truth, with no disguise.

I see you.

Through all my hopes and all my fears.

Then I see you.

And it erases all my tears.


Lexie could barely hear Nick for the playing track, but he was singing. He was singing, and he was singing to her.


I see you

Just beyond my imagination

I see you

And I tremble at the sensation

I see you

In the perfect way love flows

I see you

That's all I really need to know


The music's crescendo rose as he hung on the mic stand, waiting for the build to the chorus. With a silent signal from Drew, the track's volume dropped and Nick's voice could be heard. He moved with the beat, swayed with each word, and his eyes stayed on her. He moved closer to the edge of the stage, still singing to the entire house, yet remaining focused on her.


Love falls gently like a summer's rain

To feel your touch washes away the pain

And I know it's real because I see you

I see the joy in your eyes

It really comes as no surprise

That I see it all when I see you


Nick began to choke, and his voice faltered. His face and neck were glistening with sweat, and his hair hung in damp tendrils around his face. He hung on the mic as she hung on his every word, his every note. Then he broke and couldn't sing any more. Nick's head dropped as he hung on the mic stand with his eyes closed.


I see you

In the beauty of the rising day

I see you

In all the words you never say

I see you

In the velvet brush of a red, red rose

And I see you

In the bright dusk of a falling snow


The track played on and she heard Drew nurse Nick along, "Sing Nick. Don't stop. Keep singing." He lifted his eyes and finished the second chorus, slowly regaining his voice until he was solid again.


Love falls gently like a summer's rain

To feel your touch washes away the pain

And I know it's real because I see you

I see the joy in your eyes

It really comes as no surprise

That I see it all when I see you


The sax took over, crying out the melody as Nick continued to stare into Lexie's eyes. Then he began to sing again.


And when I see the absolute truth of love in you,

I see the beauty of me.


He held the last note longer than the track itself. The chords dropped off, and the place was silent, except for his heavy breathing. Lexie couldn't see him because of her own tears.


Nick stepped back from the mic, letting it go and backing away until his foot found the track the camera had been riding. He looked up to see the house lights slowly rise and the stage go dark. Lexie wiped her eyes with the back of her sleeves.


She looked up at his dark figure on the stage as he stood perfectly still. The camera rolled behind him for one last pass, and Drew patted him on the back, thanking him for a good job. They would discuss the next stage when he was ready.


He nodded his thanks and headed off backstage. Drew came down and gathered Lexie up.


"It's a beautiful song. I think he's back in his trailer."


"Okay." Lexie headed out the back exit to meet Nick.


Drew pulled her cell phone out and dialed Kevin.


"Hey, Drew. How did it go?"


"Perfectly. Did you get André to finish those storyboards?"


"Yeah, but they're rough. I'll have them faxed to you."


"Good. Someone find me a fax machine!" She ordered. "God, I love this stuff." She giggled to him.



Lexie knocked on the trailer door, and he called for her to come in. She opened the door and found him sitting at the table inside. He had taken off the sweater and his t-shirt was damp in places.


"That was something." He sighed.


She sat down across from him. "It was beautiful Nick. It was just beautiful."


"We still make a great team." He smiled and raised his knuckles to smooth her cheek. She felt his skin against her and felt his soul touch hers. She could feel a slight tremble in his fingers as his touch skimmed across her skin. Her eyes welled with tears.


"I feel a million miles away from you." She choked.


"I know." He quietly confessed as he slipped from his seat onto the floor to kneel in front of her. Nick lowered his head into her lap. "I want to be everything you want. I want to be all that you need. I want to be where you are. I just don't know how any more."


She bent over and laid her face against his. Her fingers dug into his damp t-shirt as she cried. Nick lifted his face and met her eyes. As his hands reached up to take her face, he straightened on his knees and pulled her close to kiss her.


Her lips were magic against his and almost instantly the kiss deepened between them. Nick couldn't stop as he effortless plundered her mouth and dug his fingers into her hair. He yanked her ponytail loose and felt the electricity of the dark strands against his arms. She moaned long and hard into his mouth as she clung to him.


A hard knock rapped at the door and tore them apart. They were breathless as a grip called out, "You can see the dailies in about 5 minutes!"


"Okay! Great!" Nick called back, his eyes never leaving her. "We'll be right there."


"We should go." Lexie got to her feet. Everything felt so emotional. His touch, his kiss, and his mere presence rubbed her conscience raw.


They stepped from the trailer and headed back inside the theatre. Without looking, Nick reached out, took her hand, and laced his fingers with hers. She clung to him, resolving herself to what she had to do. She had to tell him.



Drew presented Nick with a modified version of Lexie's rain idea, still using the girl, but hiring another actor to play her romantic lead. They would go back to the mansion and the rain would be falling on the glass outside as the concept parts would be filmed inside. She wanted to use Nick as singing inside the mansion as well, watching over the romance like a guardian angel.


"I know this is going to sound really crappy, but no one really wants to see you snuggling up to some young thing. I mean, most of America knows you have a young wife, and it just doesn't look right." Drew sat on the edge of the stage talking to them.


"I want you to be seen as a serious performer and not some teenybopper who's trying to cash in on something that happened over 20 years ago. You're a mature man, with a mature career now. I think this will work. I think its right for the song. You ever think of a career in film making, Lexie?"


"Me? No." She laughed. "I prefer objects that don't move around."


"Well, either way, I'd pick her brain a little more often if I were you." Drew jumped down from the stage. "I've really got to jet. I've got people calling about that mansion again, and I'll pass the information off to my assistant when I get it. I'm going to have one of my associates come in and finish this project up. I told Kevin I was flying out tonight."


"I can't thank you enough for this." Nick reached out and shook her hand.


"My pleasure, my pleasure. Reminds me of my early days when the idea of Drew Barrymore actually directing was laughable. You know, ya win a couple Oscars, and they look at you a little differently." She laughed. "Good luck, you two."


"Thanks!" Lexie waved as Drew exited the theatre.


The film crew was breaking things down and packing up. Within an hour, they got notice that they would be able to get into the mansion the next day and finish up. Drew's associate, Lyle Montgomery, would be on set at 7 a.m. and they were expected at 8 a.m. He would take care of the casting of the male romantic lead, promising to have it done and ready to go by morning.



Lexie sat silently in the car as Nick drove to AJ's house. Her heart was racing, but she knew she had to tell him. She had to tell him that she had been unfaithful and had slept with Jake. God, it just broke her heart. She had promised Jake, but she should never have done that. She should have known she could never keep it from Nick. Nick should have always been her priority, not Jake.


What was he going to say? She knew he would be angry, and she couldn't blame him. If the roles were reversed, she would be devastated. There was no excuse for what she had done, and she knew that now.


She looked over at Nick driving, the light from passing cars caressing his face and catching the blue of his eyes. She knew she was about to destroy him, and she savored these last few peaceful moments they had together. They might be her last.


Once they arrived at the house, Lexie followed Nick upstairs to AJ's guest room, and they set their suitcases down at the foot of the bed.


"Remember the New Year's Eve we spent in here?" Nick mused in the darkness of the room. Only the lights from the backyard shone in the room. Lexie turned away silently and just kicked off her shoes. Nick reached for her, slipping his hand under her hair and cradled her head. He turned her toward him and pulled her close. "I love you, Lexie. No less than I did that night. God knows I need you even more."


"I'm so sorry for everything, Nick. . ." she choked on the words. Her sudden emotions stunned Nick.


"No, there is no need to apologize. . ." He stammered.


"I need to be sorry. I need your forgiveness. I need to beg you for it." She cried. "Please forgive me, Nick. Please. I never meant to hurt you. I know now. I know what I've done. I know what I've almost lost. I love you, Nick, and I am so sorry."


Lexie slowly slipped out of his grasp and gently went to her knees in front of him and sobbed. Nick couldn't stand it another minute as he went down on his own knees and scooped her up in into his arms.


"I forgive you, Lexie." He began tearfully. He could feel her pain as if it was his own. He finally knew. He finally knew that she understood the magnitude of what she had done. "There is nothing you could do that I couldn't forgive."


She lifted her face to him and shook her head, "You don't know. . ."


He took her face in his hands and put his thumbs gently across her lips, stopping her from telling him. Instinctively, he knew what she was going to say. He knew at that moment that it was true. She and Jake had shared more than that one kiss on the beach. Nick looked inside of himself and told her the truth from his heart.


"There is nothing you could do I couldn't forgive." He breathed. "Nothing."


Lyrics from I See by Gabrielle Bessey ©2002, Used With Permission
Chapter 51 by old_archive

The hot water pounded on his tight back as Nick willed it to untie the knots in his muscles. He and Lexie had barely slept all night; both restless and awkward in bed together.


He did not need to hear the actual words last night. He had all the proof he would ever need by the look on her face. He loved her and accepting that she had been with another man was nothing compared to living his life without her. So, he forgave her. Still, he had to deal with his own feelings before he could honestly be with her again. Nick closed his eyes as he remembered last night.


She had offered herself to him, but he had declined her tearful plea to make love.


Her lips were swollen under his kisses and her body bent to his passion. However, it had only been a week since he had seen her with Jake. Gently, he laid her on her back on the bed.


"Nick?" Her dark eyes opened onto his face above her. His face was flushed with the same warmth of their passions she was feeling.


"I. . .I need some more time, Lex." He confessed quietly, dropping his gaze from her face.


"I understand." She nodded, choking back her words. "I understand."


"I love you, Lexie. I will always love you." He told her, his own voice a little tearful. He raised his eyes to look into her face, and her breath seemed to catch in her throat. "I promise."


She had been stunned speechless, and Nick just took her in his arms and felt her fight back the tears. He knew she did not want to cry in front of him anymore.


Nick pushed the water from his face and ran his hands over his head. He stepped from the stream and knotted the extra water from his hair. He reached down, turned off the faucet, and stepped from the shower.


There was no telling what the future held for them. He knew it would be hell trying to get back what they had lost. He was not willing to let go and by her almost confession, he knew she was not either.


It relieved some of the sickness in his stomach, but he still felt out of sorts.


He pushed his feelings aside for his performance today and focused on getting through this video shoot. It would simply have to be one thing at a time. When this day was over, Nick would deal with his marriage, wife, and family.


He reached for a towel and stepped from the shower, letting the thick fabric dry his body. He looked at himself in the mirror.


Jake had taken advantage of Lexie. Regardless of what Lexie thought of her friend, Jake had known she was vulnerable, and he had preyed on that. Nick could only imagine what he had said to her, but when this was over, he would deal with Jake Richardson, too.



They agreed to eat breakfast out, but while Nick was in the shower, Lexie had fallen back asleep on the bed. She was dressed in jeans and a tee shirt with her dark hair pulled back into a messy ponytail. She slept deeply and Nick didn't want to wake her. She looked so tired. She was thin again, too.


He leaned in the doorway and watched her sleep. Her face was so relaxed; not creased in the permanent scowl she had these days. All he could think of was having her beneath him and loving her; smoothing away the angry and scared lines of her face and enjoying her again.


I need to know, Lexie. Am I really the man you want now? I know you love me, but do you want me?


With a shake to clear his head, Nick walked to the edge of the bed and gently put his hand on her shoulder.


"Hon? You need to wake up. We need to get something to eat and get to the location." He softly said.


"Huh? Did I fall asleep?" She moaned as she sat up. He absently used his fingers to fix her hair and then leaned over to kiss her warm forehead. "I guess I did."


"You did." He smiled. "You ready to go?"


"Yeah, I just need to grab a compact and my purse." She got off the bed, went through her makeup bag and took out the compact she wanted and then they went downstairs to get her purse and leave.


As he drove, Nick watched from the corner of his eye as she powdered her nose by the light of her visor. Her fingers danced lightly across her skin, blending here and there until she was done. The small gold case snapped shut, and she tucked it into her purse.


God, how he missed those little things.



The video shoot was long, and it was nearly 2 a.m. before they finished. Lexie had slept on and off in the trailer, and she had been relatively quiet all day. The shoot was about Nick, and he was the center of attention.


It gave her plenty of time to think about things. She thought about what Nick had said and done last night. She remembered how he didn't want to make love and how he had forgiven her. She had never truly known the depth of Nick's love until that moment. No anger, no blame, no threats. He had just given her the continued promise of his love.


She felt ashamed of herself. She had failed him. She had broken her promise to him and to herself. How could she do something like that? How could she have been so weak? How could she have been so stupid?


Nick was warm and attentive to her when he wasn't busy. He was amazing; utterly amazing. She knew she would spend the rest of her life making it up to him.


By the time they were back at the house, exhaustion took them both into a deep sleep. They woke a few hours later in order to make time to visit with Leah and the children for lunch before heading home.


"What time are they expecting us home?" Lexie asked Nick as they finished packing the last of their things.


"Some time after lunch." He replied, zipping his bag shut. "Cook is going to do dinner."


"That's great of her. We should give her Monday and Tuesday off."


"Well, with Victoria Winslow coming to the house, I doubt we could get her to take the day off." He smiled as he let his bag fall to the floor with a clunk. "Make sure you get everything. I have to leave the key on the counter and set the alarm when we leave. There won't be any getting back in once we're out."


"Sure thing."


He moved past her, stopped and gave her a friendly kiss on the lips with a warm smile. "I'll see you downstairs."


She returned his smile as he moved past her and carried his bag downstairs.


Lexie finished the last of her packing and joined him 15 minutes later. He loaded the car, locked up the house, and they headed to Leah and Howie's for lunch.



"So, you're going to be here Tuesday, right? For when your dad walks." Leah asked Lexie over the hustle of the kids scrambling out of the kitchen to play with Nick in the back yard.


"Wouldn't miss it for anything." Lexie smiled as she helped her mother clear the dishes from lunch. "I'm glad Lynne was able to wait the one day so I can finish that interview with Vicki Winslow."


"Honey, you look tired. Is everything okay?" Leah asked her as they stood at the kitchen sink. Leah didn't seem to notice Lexie's mention of the interview. She had done a few during her marriage with Howie. Lexie realized she had never told her mother about the situation with Christine and it seemed as though no one else had either.


"It's been a long couple of weeks." Lexie sighed as she looked out into the backyard watching Nick playing basketball with the boys.


"Lex, AJ. . .well, everyone actually, has been hinting that there is something wrong with you and Nick."


Lexie let out a huge sigh and tipped back her head. She finally leveled her gaze at her mother. "Yeah, we've been having some problems." Lexie admitted. "I didn't want anyone to tell you because of Dad and all. . ."


"Honey, what is it? You can tell me."


"I. . . Christine is at the house. CJ's mother."


"What?!" Leah gasped.


"She contacted us a few months ago, back when we were still living in L.A. She wanted to see CJ because she's dying. Nick refused, and she left L.A. to return home." Lexie explained.


"He's letting her now?"


"Yes, but only. . .I kind of forced him."


"Lexie, what did you do?"


"I hired a private detective to track her down. I went to her, invited her to stay at the house during her last days. She and her 4-year-old son, Scotty, are living in the pool house."


"And you never told Nick?!"


"Not until she was almost in Tampa. He was a little upset."


"I can just imagine. How could you do a thing like that, Lexie?" Her mother admonished her.


"I thought I was doing the right thing. I wanted CJ to know her mother before she passed away. Nick didn't care. He wanted to wait until after she was dead, and that wasn't right. What if CJ found out the truth? What if she found out that her father knew where her mother was and that she was dying and never gave her a chance to know her? That wasn't right, either." Lexie defended herself.


"I gather Nick was angry with you." Leah crossed her arms as she faced her daughter.


"He's been living on and off here in Orlando for weeks."


"What about CJ? Does she know now?"


"Yes. She figured it out, and we hired a professional to help us all with the transition and Christine's death." Lexie lowered her eyes to the floor at her mother's judgmental stance. "I screwed up, Mom, I know. I almost lost him." She added quietly.


Leah thought she was talking about Christine, but Lexie knew she meant what she had done with Jake. That was something she would never tell her mother.


"Yes. He moved back last weekend. CJ insisted. We just used this weekend to let Chris and CJ spend time together and for us to get away. Cook has been at the house all weekend keeping an eye on things for us."


"You make things sound like they are under control, but I can't believe you would do something like that, Lexie." Leah sighed. "It was incredibly stupid to try and trick Nick like that."


"I know." The tears began to well up in Lexie's eyes. "I'm sorry, Mom. I thought I was doing the right thing."


Leah reached out and took hold of Lexie's arms. Tears ran down Lexie's face as she looked up at her mother.


"No, I'm sorry, Lexie. I should have known something was wrong." Leah began. She wished she had something left to give her daughter, but almost losing Howie had drained her. Leah shared the one piece of wisdom she had gained over the last couple of weeks.


"I've almost lost my husband." She reached up and wiped Lexie's face. "Every day is so precious, Lexie. Treasure every moment and don't let one slip by you. There is no way to tell how much time that you have left. Don't squander it with childish behavior. He's the most important man in your life, Lexie, outside of your father, of course."


Lexie chuckled with her mother over the thought of Howie's indignation at the thought he was less important in her life than her husband. In Howie's eyes, no man would ever be more to her than he was. There was a time when Lexie might have agreed with that, but after Nick's love and forgiveness the other night, there would be no denying Nick's rightful place in her heart.



"You have a good talk with your mom?" Nick asked as he drove them back home to Tampa.


"I told her about Christine and what I did to get her to Tampa."


"What did she say?"


"Other than how disappointed she was with me?" Lexie sighed tiredly. She leaned her head back on the leather headrest. "Wait, there isn't anything else. That about covers it."


"She said that?"


"In so many words." She closed her eyes.


"I can't agree with what you did, but I understand it." Nick told her.


Nick said, "What are you going to do about AJ? Did she ask how you two were getting along?"


"That bastard?" Lexie snapped.


"He is your father and he loves. . ."


"Yeah, yeah, I know. I'll talk to him." She moaned.


"I don't understand what the problem is."


"Of course you don't, you're too close to it." She snapped.


"Excuse me?" He snapped back.


"My own father took the side of his best friend rather than the side of his daughter."


"He thought you were wrong."


"He should have stayed out of it. " Lexie sighed. I know where his loyalties really lie.


"You're his daughter, he can't stay out of it." Nick smiled. Lexie refused to comment. "I think the problem is you two are too much alike for your own good."


"I wouldn't go that far." She said coldly.


"No, really you are."


"I'm nothing like my father." She mumbled.


"Sure you are. You're both hotheads and very emotionally driven. AJ has always been that way. You're both as stubborn as the day is long." Nick chuckled.


"I never abandoned anyone, Nick. I might fuck things up, but I've never abandoned anyone."


Nick was taken back, but then he asked her, "What about when you ran to Seattle?"


"I didn't wait 10 years to come back. At least I can admit when I fuck up." She snapped. "My real father taught me that."


Nick was never going to understand. Sure she and AJ had found each other and had reconciled, but it didn't erase the pain. Whenever he turned on her, like he did when she had problems with Nick, it just twisted the knife in her heart.


"AJ is your real father, Lexie."


"He was the sperm donor. A father is someone who raises you, gives you a home and teaches you what is important. If I was anything like AJ, really like AJ, I wouldn't even be here right now." She looked over at him in the car. "I would have left you ages ago, but I didn't."


"No, you didn't." He admitted with a nod of his head. "AJ doesn't stand a chance against Howie, does he?"


"It's never been a competition, Nick. I've always been willing to accept AJ for who and what he is. AJ is the one who makes it a competition. He's the one who can't deal with his mistake."


"He did come back. He does love you."


"If you left CJ, even if you came back and she forgave you, do you really think you'd forgive yourself?" Lexie asked him.


"I don't think so." He moaned softly.


"So, what makes you think AJ has?" Lexie shrugged as she looked out her window at the passing scenery. "What makes you think that Christine has?"

Chapter 52 by old_archive

The next morning, Nick sat on the bed staring at the telephone, twisting the end of his ponytail around his fingers. Lexie was downstairs already, going over things with Cook and letting the film crew into the house. She told him they were setting up in the living room to use the ocean view as a backdrop. He hadn't made his entrance yet. He knew by waiting until the last minute that was exactly what he would be doing. Making an entrance was something he had learned to do years ago.


Lexie had been up very early, getting ready, taking care of the children, and letting Christine's nurse into the pool house. He had helped pick out her outfit for the interview. A tailored light blue blouse, cream slacks and heels, with her dark hair falling down her back to her waist made her look cool and calm. Nick knew she was neither.


"What makes you think Christine has?" Those words from the ride home had stuck with him. What made him think he had? What made him think he had forgiven her for leaving him and leaving CJ?


Nick rose from the bed, walked calmly to the veranda, and stared out into the ocean. He caught his reflection in the glass of the French doors. He looked cool and calm too, but he knew he was neither.



Vicki arrived on time at 10:00 a.m. and waved from the limo as she stepped from it. Lexie waited for her on the front stoop, returning the wave. Vicki turned to her producer, Mark, and said, "She looks terrible."


"I told you the rumors."


"God, I hoped they aren't true."


Vicki gathered herself up, slung her briefcase over her shoulder, and headed across the driveway to greet Lexie.


"Hi, sweetheart, how are you doing?" Vicki smiled as she hugged the slender girl. "This place is gorgeous. I think you've really out done yourself."


"You haven't even seen the inside yet." Lexie laughed, letting go of her and leading her inside.


Lexie took Vicki to the kitchen and introduced her to an eager Cook. "This is Cook, our. . . cook." Lexie smiled. "She's the reason you smell all those wonderful things coming from in here."


"Oh, you didn't have to go to any trouble for us." Vicki shook her hand.


"Speak for yourself!" One of the cameramen said as he walked by with one of Cook's muffins stuffed into his mouth.


"Okay, well, I guess I can't speak for my crew." And everyone laughed.


Vicki looked up the staircase when she saw movement from the corner of her eye. Nick easily loped down the stairs making a presence much as stars are expected to do. Vicki had spoken with her assistant director via the phone several times before arriving. He said that he hadn't seen Nick all morning. Vicki knew he would wait until the last minute. Interviewees seldom ever met her at the front door. They usually swept in and out of the room at the beginning and end of the interview by management. Lexie had none of that pretense.


She was just a young girl, even when she introduced Vicki to the statuesque Nick Carter.


"This is my husband, Nick Carter," she beamed.


"It's nice to meet you." Vicki shook his hand and met his gaze. Yes, he was well schooled at this. His tall frame was draped in a simple button down shirt and gray slacks with black Italian loafers. He was a star.


"Nice to meet you, Ms. Winslow." He smiled warmly.


"I see they set up in the living room. My God, Lexie, this view is amazing and that pool with all that natural rock. How did you ever find this place?"


Nick hung back and off to one side, watching the crew finish their final checks before they began to film. A hand-held camera operator followed the two women at a discreet distance. He wondered if Lexie was aware that he had been following her around and taping her.


"Sheer luck," Lexie laughed as she led Vicki out to the deck.


"We are definitely going to have to get some shots out here." Vicki nodded as she scanned the back property, taking in the multi-layered decks, the natural rock pool and hot tub, the pool house, jungle gym and the manicured lawn. She noticed a movement in the pool house window and realized a woman was looking back at her. Christine James. People were wondering what had happened to her. "So, there are a few things I have to go over with you first. I don't want anything to be too much of a surprise or anything."


"Oh, good. I'm a little nervous," Lexie admitted.


"Honey, don't worry about it. I've done hundreds of these. It gets easy after a while," she joked. The two women sat at a table at the far corner of the top deck, and Vicki removed some papers from briefcase.


"I have the interview all memorized, but there are some things I want to ask you about first." She finished shuffling papers and looked directly at Lexie. "There is a rumor that Nick's ex-girlfriend, Christine James, is here and she's dying."


Lexie looked shocked, surprised and horrified all at once.


"It's true?!" Vicki gasped quietly. She was surprised at Lexie's response and at the fact that it might actually be true. "Oh, my. I really thought it was a rumor. I mean, she just dropped out of sight. . ."


"Yes, she's here, but I don't want to talk about it in the interview," Lexie said firmly.


"How did that ever happen?" Vicki asked in honest disbelief.


"She. . . she contacted us back when we were living in L.A. She is dying and she wanted to see CJ before she passed away. We're just giving her the chance to know her daughter a little."


"I don't believe you let Nick bring his ex-girlfriend here, dying or not."


"It was my idea," Lexie confessed. "I really don't want to talk about this in the interview, Vicki. I don't want to do anything to hurt the children."


"Children?" Vicki asked. "There is more than one?"


"She has a son, a four-year-old."


"What's going to happen to him?"


"We're going to adopt him. He is CJ's half brother. It seems like the right thing to do."


"And that was your idea, too?"


"She asked us, and we agreed to do it," Lexie replied firmly. Vicki assessed Lexie's reply and her demeanor over the topic. Lexie moved from surprised to honest and then to determined. . .determined not to talk about it. "I won't allow a spectacle to be made of her dying. I don't want to talk to you about this in the interview."


"As I said before, this interview is about you. Not about Nick or anything else. We're going to tell your story, Lexie." Vicki closed her notes and folded her hands over the folder. "You are truly amazing, Lexie."


"No, no I'm not." Lexie denied it. She tucked loose strands of hair behind her ears. If Vicki really knew what she was capable of, she wouldn't say that. She wouldn't say that at all.



Lexie sat on the white leather couch at an angle to Vicki, who was sitting in the matching chair. Cook found a throw to put on the couch behind her to soften the white of the couch and the cream of her slacks for the cameras. Vicki's stylist brushed out her hair and clipped the hair around her face back, lightly feathering her bangs. She powdered Lexie's nose and then did touch ups on Vicki as well.


Nick stood behind a camera, watching Lexie laugh as Vicki joked about how much she disliked being fussed over by the stylist. The stylist, a woman close to Vicki's age, told her not to come to her when she got her next big zit. When the lights flooded on Lexie, Nick was struck at how she suddenly looked very vulnerable. Her eyes went wide as she looked around and watched the crew, and he suddenly realized what other people saw when they looked at her. She's so young.


She smiled prettily for the cameras and nodded nervously to Vicki as her producer signaled them to begin. Vicki explained to her the kind of voice over they would have to introduce the story and that's where the interview would begin.


"I'm going to script it so that we intro into asking about DJ and then we will just progress through the questions. Are you ready?" Lexie nodded, "Okay, Mark, whenever you're ready. " Her producer gave her the signal.


"It's been over a year, do you still think of the baby you lost?"


"Not so much these days." Lexie shrugged. "Life goes on."


"Here, so far from Los Angeles where she was buried, you don't have much time to visit, do you?"


"I only visited the grave once."


"Why?"


"I guess I didn't want to face it. When I first got pregnant, we didn't get a lot of support. My parents were pretty upset. I had so much hope wrapped up in the pregnancy that things would be okay with my family, when I lost her, I lost that hope, too."


"Are things still bad with your family?"


"No, they've reconciled that I'm going to be with Nick," Lexie chuckled. "Things have worked out fine."


Vicki shared her smile.


"A year later, you were subpoenaed to testify against the woman who pushed you off those stairs," Vicki said. "You gave a moving testimony of your loss and what you did remember that day. How is it you were able to remember so much with a head injury?"


"I don't know." She shrugged. "It is so crystal clear. I hadn't watched any of the footage or what happened. It was too upsetting."


"This had its affect on Nick?"


"Yes. It hurt him more than I think it even hurt me, especially in the beginning. He was devastated."


"And you weren't?"


"I was, but it took me longer to acknowledge it. I was so focused on getting him to move on, that I didn't really work too much on myself."


"You spent some time using anti-depressants."


"Yes, and I had some therapy."


"How did that affect your life?"


"I hated those medications. I couldn't even recognize myself. I finally just stopped using them."


"And the therapy?"


"I stopped that, too. Probably wasn't too smart, but it was the only thing I could think to do to snap out of it. I could just see this going on and on. . .everyone was miserable around me."


"Was that when you finally faced what happened to you?"


"No, it wasn't until the trial. I didn't really face it until I had to say it out loud."


"Have you and Nick discussed trying to have another baby?"


"Yes, but not in a long time." Lexie sighed heavily. "Things haven't really worked out for a good time to talk about it again."


"Is it true you had no interest in the outcome of the trial?"


"Yes. I think your producer told me the verdict when he called one evening."


"Why is that? Why wouldn't you want to know the outcome of the trial of the woman responsible for your fall off the courthouse stairs?"


"What did it matter?" Lexie sat up straight and looked Vicki directly in the eye. "It wasn't going to bring my baby back. Nothing they did in the courtroom would bring her back. People don't understand the climate of things back then. The labor unions were using her to further their case against Nick by trying to paint him as some monster for putting that mother on trial. Nick didn't make the decision to prosecute. We even tried to talk them out of it, but the state took the case and prosecuted it. It was all just a horrible accident for everyone."


"So, you disagreed with the State's decision to prosecute?"


"Yes. I didn't want to testify or go through a trial. It didn't matter; none of it was ever going to bring DJ back to us."


"But didn't you want her punished for what she did?"


"It was an accident. She was so caught up in her fever to get to Nick and further the union's cause, that she didn't even consider my safety." For the first time, Lexie's voice cracked. She paused to collect herself and then continued. "Maybe if I held on to Nick's hand a little tighter. . ."


"Do you blame yourself for what happened?"


"Sometimes." She blinked back the tears. "If I had been more careful. If I had listened to Nick and testified via close circuit TV, then this would have never happened."


"Does Nick blame you for what happened?"


"Oh, no." She shook her head. "He's never done that."


"Lexie? Do you even know the name of the woman who was on trial?"


"I can't remember." She shook her head. Her shaking hand went up and she rubbed her eyes. "I just can't remember."


"How has this affected your health? Have you had any complications?"


"No, not that I know of. The doctors all say I'm fine." She lifted her head and tried to focus on Vicki again.


"How do you feel about having more children?" Vicki smiled. She, of course, already knew the answer to this one.


"I'd like to." Vicki reached over and handed her a tissue.


"Do you know when?" Lexie just shook her head 'no'. She was unable to speak any more. "Lexie, how difficult has it been?" Vicki asked softly.


"It's all been so hard." Lexie tried to pull herself together. She looked over at the older woman, and rested her forehead in her hand as her elbow sat on the back of the couch. "People have so many expectations of you and most of the time you can't meet them."


Suddenly, Lexie smiled over at Vicki and said, "I don't know how people handle being famous. I'm just married to someone famous and it's hard enough." Vicki shared a short laugh with her, "Now I know why my Dad kept me away from it."


"That would be your adoptive father, Howie Dorough."


"Yeah. It's all so sordid, you know. I was the first Backstreet baby and an illegitimate one at that. My mother and I lived on and off between Orlando and London until she died in that car accident when I was nine."


"That must have been difficult. " Vicki continued, not realizing they would be discussing her fathers as well, "Did you know AJ as your father back then?"


"Yes. Through pictures and my mother told me about him. She used to tell me that he loved me very much, but because of some bad choices he couldn't be with us." Lexie's eyes lowered and she knotted the damp tissue in her hands. "I think it broke her heart to tell me that."


"The British government returned you to the United States after the accident?"


"Yeah, we were there on vacation for a couple months when it happened."


"You were sure you were going to see your father."


"I was positive."


"It didn't work out that way, did it?"


"No, I was adopted by Howie Dorough and later his wife, Leah. They became my parents."


"How did they deal with the issue of your father not taking you in?"


"They loved me, reassured me and made me a Dorough. It's a huge family." Lexie smiled.


"I was so sorry to hear about Howie's illness, how is he doing?"


"He's recovering. He should be home by the end of the month. He's walking, but not quite talking yet. Mom's ready for him to come home."


"So, Leah and Howie Dorough are your mom and dad?"


"Absolutely."


"What has happened to your relationship with your father, AJ McLean, since then?"


"We have our good moments and bad moments." She shrugged.


"Did he ever say why he didn't take you in?"


"Yes, he said that so much time had passed that he didn't know how to regain it. He didn't have a good relationship with his father. I don't think he knew how to be a father and it scared him."


"How do you feel about your father now?"


"I love him." Lexie let out a deep sigh. "But I've accepted he's never going to be the father I want him to be. I try to accept that, but sometimes it's hard, really hard. There are times when it is impossible."


Nick's heart fell into his stomach. He had no idea this was how she dealt with her feelings about AJ. AJ wouldn't be happy to hear this on national television. Nick doubted AJ had any idea how his leaving Lexie had affected her.


"Every little girl wants to be able to fall back on their Daddy."


"I never had that option. Until Howie. If it wasn't for him, I don't think I could have ever learned to trust men."


"Do you think what happened between you and AJ had anything to do with your reaction to losing your baby?"


Lexie was quiet for a long while, "I don't know. I don't think so. I was nervous and maybe a little scared to be a mother, but I wasn't about to run away from it. Mom and Dad were angry, but I never doubted that if I needed them they would have been there for me.


"And you had Nick."


"And I had Nick." Lexie smiled warmly, her eyes looking beyond Vicki to see Nick's silhouette behind one of the cameras.


"Through it all Lexie, what has sustained you? Abandoned as a child, adopted by virtual strangers, a very public marriage to a man 20 years your senior and the loss of your child."


"Gosh, when you put it like that." Lexie rolled her eyes and both women laughed. "My family has been the backbone of my life. I can't turn around in southern Florida and not bump into another Dorough. When we were in L.A., Nick's brother, Aaron, and his wife, Jill, were a huge help. My parents, my friends."


"How many of those friends are inside the Backstreet camp as I've heard you call them once?"


"Not many. Jake Richardson, Kevin Richardson's second son and I met in school and we keep in touch. I've met Brian Littrell's girls, but only really know his youngest, Fatima." Lexie smiled. "Most of my local friends are my cousins and friends from school. Although, we just moved here and I haven't really had a time to hook up with any of them."


"I have to take a minute to tell everyone about the most fabulous smells through this house." Vicki smiled.


"Oh, that's Cook. She's been Nick's housekeeper and cook for almost 20 years now. I still can't believe she moved here with her husband to keep working for us. There is so much I owe her, she's amazing." Lexie smiled. "I'm sure your crew has made their way through the kitchen more than once."


"I think a few of them are ready to move in," Vicki joked and then returned to the subject. "You have a good network."


"More like a safety net," Lexie agreed.


Vicki sat back comfortably in her seat and gestured with her hand casually, "So, tell me about this guy Nick we've been talking about."


"Oh, he's just the guy I married," Lexie joked and then rolled her eyes. "I'm sure no one has ever heard of him."


"I'm afraid they probably have." Vicki laughed. "When we were talking about expectations, how many of them have to do with being married to Nick Carter."


"I don't know if I have to deal with as many expectations of being married to him as I do misconceptions." Lexie watched Nick for a moment and then turned her attention back to Vicki.


"What would those be?"


"That I'm just a trophy wife and that what we have isn't a real marriage. The fans for the most part are great. In the beginning, I think people had more of a problem that I am AJ's daughter than the fact that I'm 20 years younger than him."


"I believe you called it, 'sordid'."


"Yes, that's the word." Lexie smiled her agreement. "I mean he was there when I was born and I'm the daughter of one of his best friends. I think sordid covers it."


"How were the fans about your loss?"


"They were great." Lexie smiled softly. "Some of them really brightened those days, and they don't even know it."


"Who has misconceptions about you?"


"Industry people, mostly."


"What is the biggest misconception about you, Lexie?"


"That my life is perfect."


"It's not?"


"It's far from that." Lexie's shoulders slumped a bit when she let out a great sigh. "It's not as bad as some others though. I really don't have much to complain about. Windows tend to open when doors slam shut."


"Lexie Carter, would you consider yourself a lucky woman?"


"Very."

Chapter 53 by old_archive

"So, how did I do?" Lexie asked Nick eagerly as they entered their bedroom and began to change into something to wear on the beach where Vicki was going to interview them both.


"Honey, you were great." He smiled, not wanting to bring up what she said about AJ.


Lexie's clothes went flying as she picked out a pair of white Capri pants and a red pullover top.


"You think this will do?" She asked him as he stood there in his own boxers.


He stopped and looked her up and down with a knowing smile on his lips. God, back in the day, he thought he could throw on anything to do an interview. He hadn't known any better. Suddenly, he could see her youth and innocence glaring at him.


"Stick to blues and go easy on the whites. Cameras don't like white."


"Shit, that's right." She turned her back to him and pulled down some khaki pants and a blue tank top from hangers. "How's this?"


"That'll work."


"I'll just roll up the cuffs when we hit the sand. You think that will be okay?"


"That'll be fine." He moved past her in the walk-in closet and pulled on some khaki shorts and a green polo shirt.


She continued to chatter on nervously as they changed their clothes and for honestly the first time, Nick was very aware of their age difference. He was suddenly aware of all the things she didn't know about or didn't understand. Not just about the business, but about life.


He wondered if that's what Jake saw when he took advantage of her. He wondered if Jake suffered from a little of that naiveté himself. No, Jake Richardson knew he was seducing another man's wife. He knew he was taking advantage of Lexie, and Nick would never change his mind about that.


Nick sat on the bench at the foot of the bed, pulled on his sandals, and looked up to see Lexie fussing in the mirror with her hair. He stood, walked up behind her, put his arms around her, and pulled her back against his chest.


"I love you," he whispered. "I won't let anything happen to you."


She looked up at him in the mirror, blinking her dark eyes at him, not understanding what he meant.


"I love you, too, Nick," she said quietly. "Are you okay?"


"I'm fine, hon, I'm fine." He smiled at her gently.


"You think we should get going?"


"You bet."



Vicki had planned to shoot some of the interview on the beach, so she was barefoot with her pant legs rolled up waiting for them on the deck. They led her and two cameramen down the stairs to the boardwalk and then out to the beach.


Vicki signaled one of the cameras in front of them and another to their side, closest to Nick. Lexie was between the two of them. She explained the intro that would be voiced over for this segment, relaying information about the new album release, and they would begin there. When the cameras clicked on, there was no mistaking that they were being filmed.


"What have these last years meant to you? What has losing your baby done to you?"


"I couldn't begin to say," Nick sighed. His voice was almost lost in the sound of the surf as they all moved closer to it. The cool water began to lap at their bare feet. "It was horrifying at times. Incredible at others."


Lexie looked up into his face at his confession, but he was looking down at the cool ocean water lapping over their feet.


"After what happened, were you ever afraid that Lexie would leave? That your fame might be too much for her?"


"No, not really." Nick looked over at Lexie. "She tends to run toward things instead of away." He smiled.


"Is that one of the things you love about her?" Vicki smiled across at him.


"One of the things," he agreed. The wind had loosened some strands of his blond hair from its clip and he tucked them behind his ears.


"Is the new album everything you could have hoped for?"


"My life is everything I could have every hoped for."



"Painless, enough?" Vicki watched her crew carry the last cables to the truck.


"I think so," Lexie agreed. "I hope I did it the way you wanted."


"I think so. I think it'll be just fine." She smiled, hugging the young girl. She turned to Nick and hugged him as well. "I think you'll both be happy with it."


"I'm not worried at all." Nick smiled, but years of practice told Vicki that he was giving her a show business snow job. She had interviewed enough celebrities in her day, and he was worried about how the interview would look. Anyone in his position would be, especially with a spouse as inexperienced in front of the camera as Lexie. Lexie's story was very important to Vicki. Nick Carter would learn soon enough; it was never really about him.


"I think Lexie has a remarkable story." Vicki turned to leave, without waiting for his response. "I'll have Mark call you with the final air date. I'm expecting it to be within the next six weeks or so."


"That'll be just fine." Lexie nodded.


With a final wave to the couple, she stepped into the driveway and into her hired car. She left behind the last moving van.


"Well, I didn't expect it to take all day. I'd better go pick up CJ at Molly's. I'll go to the pool house and get Scotty, too and see if he wants to go." Nick kissed her goodbye and then headed back to the pool house. She followed him as far as the glass doors and waited for him to come back.


He came out five minutes later with Scotty bouncing at his feet. They both waved at her, and she turned to head into the kitchen.


"Honey, are you ready for something to eat? You didn't eat a thing when they were here." Cook asked her as she put the last dishes in the dishwasher.


"Just a little something before dinner." Lexie sighed as she sat at the kitchen table.


"You look as tired as when you left for the weekend." Cook put a warm plate in front of her. It had samples of everything she had made for the day.


"I feel tired."


"Are you going to Orlando tomorrow?"


"Yeah, I'm going to crash early tonight. I'll see if Nick will handle the kids." She picked up a fork and began to pick through the food. "I want to get an early start tomorrow so I can spend some quality time with my Dad."



Lexie had indeed crashed early that night. She kissed the kids goodnight and was sound asleep by the time Nick put both children down and checked on her. Nick went back downstairs in time to answer the phone in the kitchen.


"How about a visit?" AJ asked Nick over the phone. "We can fly directly into Tampa on our way home next weekend."


"I don't know. I'll need to talk to Lexie," Nick said as he opened the refrigerator to stare into it. He reached for a beer and cracked it open.


"Well, ask her." AJ said dryly.


"She's in bed asleep right now. Long day. Can I call you back tomorrow?"


AJ sighed on the other end. "So, how are things there? Is this a good time to try to make it up to her?" He asked.


"As good as any, but AJ, I have to tell you something," Nick began. "I've been ordered to stay out of it."


"Stay out of it? Stay out of what?" AJ laughed.


"Out of Lexie's relationship with you."


"That's okay. I'll deal with little Miss Attitude when I get there," AJ huffed. "We can file a change in the flight plan and be there Saturday morning."


"Wait until I call you tomorrow." Nick reminded him as he drank from the cold bottle. "Let me make sure Lexie even wants to see you."



The next day, Lexie seemed to care less if AJ and his family came to visit or not, but CJ was happy. That week, CJ spent more and more time with Christine as they got to know one another while Scotty, in return, spent more time at the main house with Nick and Lexie. CJ was glad when Nick moved back into the master bedroom, and although Lexie and Nick had not even talked about making love since that night in Orlando, they were sleeping in the same bed.


That Friday, Lexie was ready for AJ's visit to be over already, and she was visibly anxious. AJ called at noon to confirm they would be there the next morning.


"Is he bringing all of them?"


"Sounds like it." Nick got to his feet as he set the cordless phone down. "But I'm not getting involved. What's for dinner tonight?"


"I don't care." She shrugged.


"Okay. I'll put something together." He got up and walked back into the house from the deck.


"Oh, man." She groaned quietly.


"Nick!" He heard Lexie call from the sliding glass doors as he stood in the kitchen with a phone book. "I'm going down to the beach!"


"Okay! Be back in an hour," he hollered back.


"Okay!" Lexie replied as she snatched up her cell phone, her beach towel and headed down the stairs to the boardwalk and down to the beach.


She made it to the sand when the phone rang and she answered it. She knew by the caller ID who it was.


"Hello?"


"Lex? It's me. How you doing girl?" Jake laughed in the other end.


"I'm fine." The butterflies stirred to life in her stomach.


"Long time, no hear. What's up?"


"It's been hectic."


"Where are you?"


"I'm down on the beach."


"Oh, that beautiful beach." Jake remembered the time they had made love there, too. "You're alone?"


"Yes. Nick's at the house ordering something for dinner." She began to walk out to the surf and then cut left to head north away from the house.


"He is living there?"


"Yes. He's moved back into the master bedroom."


"That's great, Lexie. Are you happy about that?"


"Of course I am."


"Good. I know how much you love him." Jake said. Just don't forget that I love you, too.


"So, what's up with the phone call? I haven't heard from you in a long time."


"Oh, yeah! Dad wants to throw me a graduation party in Orlando at the end of June. You think you can make it?"


"I guess." She shrugged. "We can be there."


"Good, I'll let him know you guys can make it." Jake tried to sound cheerful. "He also told me he's going to file for the divorce in two weeks. Apparently, he's picked some hotshot law firm in L.A. to handle it."


"Oh, really?"


"He said it was Nick's sister-in-law."


"Jill? Jill Carter is handling your dad's divorce?"


"Yeah, apparently she's a friend of his lady friend."


"Who is he dating?"


"Her name is Sabrina, that's all I know."


"Holy shit! That's OUR attorney!" Lexie gasped.


"Really? What's the big deal?"


Lexie stopped walking and sat down heavily on the beach. What should she tell him? Did she have the right to tell him? Did she have the right to keep it from him? What about the situation now? Could she really let the attorney-girlfriend of the child's father finalize the adoption without telling them he was the father?


"Lex? Lexie, you okay?"


"Oh, yeah. Jake, this just got really complicated." Lexie began.


"You want to start from the beginning?" Jake laughed.


"I don't think I can."


"Try me."


"Oh, man, Jake." She groaned, dropping her head into her hand.


"I'm confused. Is this about my dad being with your attorney or does this have something to do with us?"


"It's not about us, but I'm afraid I don't know what to say." She sighed as she looked out at the gentle rolling surf. "Sabrina is finalizing our adoption of Scotty."


"So. . .oh, shit!" Jake gasped. "He's Scotty's father, isn't he?!" He took her silence as a positive answer. "Oh my God."


Jake slumped down in his chair at the university's radio office he shared with the station's other intern. His father had another son, now there were five of them! And he was living in Lexie's house!


"Jake?" he heard her voice on the other end. "Are you still there?"


"Damn, Lexie. I mean, I know my father was unfaithful to my mother, but I had no idea there were other kids."


"Jake, your father doesn't know." Lexie told him. "Christine refused to tell him because he was married."


"We're going to have to tell him."


"NO! Don't you dare, Jake!" She yelled at him. "Nick doesn't know either!"


"He doesn't?! How the hell do you know? Jesus, Lexie, he's going to freak out if he knows the kid is my dad's!"


"I know, I know, but I promised Christine I'd wait to tell him until after she died." Lexie jumped to her feet and began to pace wildly.


"She told you?"


"Yes, she told me. She's put Kevin's name a few documents, but those are sealed until Scotty is 18. Please, please, please don't tell Kevin before I have a chance to tell Nick."


"We can't wait until she's dead. He's going to want to talk to her. Oh my God, Lexie, he's known her, and he knows she's at the house." Jake told her. "Are you sure he hasn't talk to Nick already?"


"I don't know. I wouldn't think so. Why would Kevin tell Nick he had an affair with Christine now? What would be the point? I don't even think that Nick has discussed Christine with him that much. I doubt he even knows she has a son." Lexie explained. "He won't tell Nick he was with Christine. It would put a wedge between them, and those boys are all about being friends now."


"Four or five years ago, Nick and Kevin weren't even speaking."


"But Nick's relationship with Christine was public. They went everywhere together, including public functions. They have been seen together in the past. Hell, they used to live together and they had a kid. You know the press reported that. Nick was the last Backstreet Boy to have a kid until AJ had Alex and then Howie had Caroline."


"Oh, God. I don't know what to do."


"You? How do I stop Sabrina from finalizing this adoption? She's the father's girlfriend for Christ's sake!"


"You have to tell Nick."


"He may stop the adoption all together."


"You really want him, don't you? Scotty."


"I want him to be with CJ. Yes, I want him. I love him, Jake. I don't want to lose him, but I don't want to lose Nick either."


"What's one more lie, right?" Jake sighed.


Lexie and Jake sat in silence together. Jake didn't know that Nick knew about them. He didn't know that lie was already over.


"Jake? Let me handle this. Please don't tell your father about Scotty."


After a long pause, Jake replied, "He's better off with you. I won't tell him."


"Really?"


"Where would he end up if Dad got custody of him? He and mom are getting a divorce. Do you think this new girlfriend would raise him?" Jake asked. "But someday, he's going to have to know."


"I know. I hadn't figured that part out yet. I still have to tell Nick, and I don't know what he's going to say."


"You think he'll let Scotty stay? I mean, I'll take him if I have to."


"I don't know what he'll do." Lexie sighed. "I have no idea."


"If you need my help, you know you have it. Lexie, I love you, and I'll do anything for you," he said quietly.


"I know." Lexie looked back toward the house and saw everyone out on the deck. She turned and headed back. "I have to go. We're having dinner."


"Okay. I love you, Lexie." He tried to get a response back from her, but she hung up before she even heard him.

Chapter 54 by old_archive

Christine was at the rail as Lexie walked up the stairs to the deck. Nick was on his stomach with his hands held down by CJ as Scotty tickled him. He was trying not to hurt them, but his squeals were getting louder and louder.


"What's going on up here!?" Lexie exclaimed. She went over and picked Scotty off Nick, who easily escaped CJ's grip. "Are you okay?"


"I'm fine." He laughed as he got to his feet and wiped his eyes.


Lexie let Scotty go, and he ran up on Nick to hang on his arm. "I wanna get you some more!"


"No, no, that was enough. Dinner is here, and we have to eat before it gets cold." Nick said as he picked him up one armed and scooped him up. Scotty reached for Nick's neck again, but Nick just turned him around. "I don't think I can take much more. Let's head inside." He set the boy down and swatted his behind as he herded the kids into the house.


"Are you coming?" Lexie looked back over her shoulder at Christine.


"No, I'm not hungry." She shook her head and looked back out over the Gulf.


"You need to eat something."


"I ate earlier. I'm fine. You go in."


Not wanting to argue with her, Lexie went into the house to eat dinner with the children and Nick. He met her at the sliding glass door and they looked over, watching Christine head down to the boardwalk. "Is she okay?" He asked.


"What do you think?" Lexie replied as quietly.


Sadly, Nick watched Christine slowly make her way down the stairs.


"She's not wearing enough. I'll be right back." Nick left her with the food and the kids, and headed out the door after her. He found her about five steps down.


"Where are you going?" He stood next to her.


"Just for a walk."


He removed his light sweater and handed it to her. "You're going to be too cold."


She wanted to protest, but she just took the fine cashmere and slipped it on. It hung on her and fell nearly to her knees.


"Thank you."


"Come back to the house."


"Scotty needs time with you and Lexie."


"That doesn't matter. He'll have plenty of time later."


"No."


"God, why are you always so unreasonable." He grunted as he turned and went back up the stairs into the house.


"Me? I'm unreasonable?" She snorted after he was gone.


Christine thought back to the times when he would pick out her wardrobe, constantly told her what to wear and how to act and used to criticize her after every event. Being away from him had been such a relief, but she had lost the time with her daughter.


She had written CJ letters and apologized for not staying and worse yet, for not taking her when she left. However, Nick would have tracked her down and she would have never gotten away from him. She did not tell CJ that part. Christine wouldn't do that to her.


It was obvious that CJ worshipped Nick and he has been a good father. She had a good life with him. Nick had surprised her. All for the love of one little girl, he became a better man.


A little girl who was planning her birthday at the end of the month and inviting her. Christine accepted the invitation, although she knew she would not be around for it.


Christine leaned across the rail and let the wind smooth her skin. Nick loved the beach. He loved living here at this house. He had made a home with Lexie. Scotty loved it, too. He liked his new sister and his new family. He truly adored Lexie, and even he and Nick seemed to get along. She was comfortable leaving him with them.


"So, I've taken care of everything." Christine spoke aloud to herself. "I've written the letters, I've made the arrangements, and I have signed the documents. Now I just have to pick the time."



With the sun dropping, Nick went up to the bedroom and grabbed himself another sweater. Scotty had followed him up and came down wearing one of Nick's sweaters as well. He had it properly smeared with pizza as they all decided to pick a movie and move the food into the home theatre.


The children ate and watched, eventually getting quiet and drifting off to sleep. Nick had curled up at Lexie's side on the couch, resting his head on her lap until he was sleeping as well. She ran her fingers though his hair as he slept. An hour later, when it was over, she gave the voice command for it to stop and to bring up only the lights around the edge of the room.


She slipped out from under Nick's head and covered him with a blanket. She covered the children on the other couch as well, and then she slipped from the room into the dark hallway.


Lights still burned in the pool house, and she knocked before she entered, calling for Christine.


"I'm in the kitchen." She called out.


"What are you doing in here?" Lexie asked when she saw Christine's medications sat spread out on the table in front of her.


"Just my evening routine. Where is Scotty?"


"In the theatre sleeping with CJ and Nick. They all conked out during the movie."


"He didn't get a nap today."


"Chris, there is something I have to tell you."


"What?"


"I found out today that our attorney, Sabrina Carlson, is dating Kevin. I don't think we can ask her to finalize the adoption if she's dating the boy's father."


"She doesn't know he's the father, does she?"


"No, but. . ."


"Then what is the problem?"


"I don't think I can lie to both of them."


"I don't care what you do after I'm gone."


"We're going to have to tell them beforehand."


"No! I don't want Nick to know!"


"He's going to have to know."


"Nick's going to be so angry. . ."


"I don't think so. Nick's not like that any more."


"He is with me. No, don't tell him, Lexie. You promised."


"I should have never done that." Lexie stood up. "My. . . AJ is coming tomorrow for a visit. I don't know when they are leaving, but once they are gone I'm going to tell Nick."


"Please don't."


"I have to."


Lexie turned and left the pool house, not letting Christine's pleas change her mind. Things had gotten too complicated, and she had to tell Nick. Not only because of Sabrina's involvement, but because she had already told Jake and there was no telling if he would tell his father first or not.



"Lexie!" Alex squealed the next morning as he ran across the drive way and into her arms. She scooped him up and instantly, Scotty was at her side and pulling on her shirt. She looked down at his concerned green eyes and then knelt down with Alex to introduce them.


"Scotty, this is Alex." She said to the two four year olds. "Alex, this is Scotty."


A study in contrasts, Alex's dark eyes searched Scotty's light eyes and skin for some sign of friendship. Scotty snuggled closer to Lexie.


"You know, I think you two will be happier out on the jungle gym." She laughed as she set Alex down. Taking each of their hands, ignoring the others, she turned and walked them through the house to the back yard.


It didn't take long, and the two were soon playing like old friends.


"Are they getting along?" AJ asked as he came to stand behind her and watch them.


"They seem to be just fine." She nodded.


"Look, I know you're unhappy about everything."


"Not everything, just you." She turned and crossed her arms. She had told Nick she would talk to him. "You ratted me out again, AJ."


"I thought you were wrong."


"Then you should have stayed out of it."


"How can I? You didn't see Nick during all of this."


"You didn't see me through all of this." She told him. "Not once did you try to see my side of things or even ask how I was doing. Not once did you show any concern for me at all. It was all about Nick. You know, Nick was wrong, too."


Nick approached them and AJ waved him closer until he was standing between them. "So, all of this is about who I'm taking sides with?"


"Yes. It's about you being my father, as laughable as that is."


"It is laughable, because I'm no more your father than Nick here. That privilege is all Howie's."


"He was the only one man enough to step up and be my father."


"Okay, that's enough!" Nick declared. "From over there it looked like you two were getting along, but I'm starting to think that isn't even possible any more."


That made Lexie sick. She had struggled so long to find him, to have him as a part of her life, and she had accepted that he might never be the father she wanted him to be. He was wrong getting involved in Nick's affairs and that had hurt her, but he and Nick had history, too.


"Look, I'm sorry." She suddenly said. She stared at the manicured lawn under her feet and missed the stunned look on both AJ and Nick's face. "I don't mean to keep bringing up the past."


"It's okay." AJ agreed.


Is he going to apologize? She wondered. He didn't. He just walked away to play with the boys, leaving Lexie teary-eyed with Nick. Lexie watched him for a moment and then looked up at Nick.


"See?" She swallowed hard. "Do you see why I love Howie so much? Is that so hard to understand?"


"No, it's not." Nick nodded quietly. "I understand."


"Thanks." She nodded and quickly wiped her eyes. "I guess I better see to the girls and CJ."


"I love you, Lexie. Okay?"


"I love you, too. Thanks." She moved past him and into the house, looking for Tina, her daughters, and CJ.


Nick looked over at AJ, who had been watching them the entire time. Nick narrowed his eyes at him and shook his head in disbelief. It was hard to believe that AJ would do something like that. Then again, it had been hard to believe he hadn't taken Lexie in after Amanda had died.


Scotty came running up to Nick, panting excitedly as he jumped up and down. "Nick, Nick, Nick! Can Alex stay in my room tonight? I want to stay at the big house. Can I?!"


"Of course you can, but I don't know if Alex is staying tonight or not." Nick knelt down and Scotty hugged his neck. Scotty planted a wet kiss on his cheek and then ran to Alex, took his hand, and then headed back to play in the sandbox.


"They get along really well." AJ smiled as he approached Nick.


Nick fell back on his rear and sat down Indian style on the grass. AJ took a seat next to him, and they both watched the boys.


"He certainly likes you." AJ added.


"We've been working on that. We're going to adopt him once she's gone."


"Are you sure you want to do that?"


"It's what Lexie wants. What's one more, right?" Nick shrugged.


"But is it what you want?"


"I want whatever makes Lexie happy." Nick answered sternly. "He's a good kid, and he is CJ's half brother. It's right that he's here. It's no big deal."


"If you let her take in every abandoned kid she finds. . ." AJ began, but Nick cut him off.


"Don't talk to me about Lexie, okay? She might be your daughter, but she's my wife."


"I'm just saying. . ."


"AJ, if we're going to be friends, we're going to have to leave her out of it."


"The thing is, I don't know if I can leave her out of it. She's my daughter, Nick, even if she doesn't want to be." AJ said.


Nick wanted to say more, but kept his mouth shut. It was clear now that AJ just didn't understand anything at all. All Lexie ever wanted to be her whole life was his daughter, but he kept closing the door on her. Maybe seeing the interview would be the best thing after all. Maybe he would finally get it.


"I'm going to honor her request, that's all." Nick shrugged. "But if anyone wants my opinion, I think you're both wrong. I just don't know how to make you both see what is really going on."


"I guess we'll find our way."


"I guess." Nick shrugged again.



Lexie was making dinner for everyone when Tina came in looking for a cup of coffee.


"It's over there." Lexie told her. "The cups are in the cupboard right above it. Do you need cream and sugar? The sugar is on the counter, and the cream is in the refrigerator."


"No, black is fine." The tall redhead poured the cup of coffee and then turned to watch Lexie stir the rice the pork chops with gravy were going to go over. "You're a good cook."


"I've learned a few things over the years." She chuckled. "I only get to cook on the weekends. Cook handles it the rest of the week. That's fine with me. I don't enjoy it that much."


"It must be nice having that kind of help."


"I don't know what I would do without her." Lexie agreed.


"You don't like me seeing your dad, do you?"


Lexie didn't skip a beat when she said, "I don't care who AJ fucks."


"Well, you don't mince words. Maybe you should have been an attorney." Tina chuckled as she leaned against the counter. "I can respect that."


"I don't need your respect."


"I can respect that, too." She began to help Lexie pull dishes from the cabinets and set the kitchen table. "I love him very much."


"You're not the first."


"Ouch." Tina chuckled.


"Look, I'm sorry. That was crap." Lexie finally stopped moving. "You have to understand a few things. AJ and I are lucky if we can be friends these days. We're hardly father and daughter. CJ adores him. He's one of Nick's best friends, and so we try to have a relationship."


"AJ has agonized over your guys' relationship."


"Well, he has a shitty way of showing it."


"Look, I don't want to butt in, I swear, but AJ is insanely jealous of Howie."


"Okay, since you're not butting in, tell me something I don't already know." Lexie stood with her hand on her hip.


"He loves you. He's sorry for being such a crappy father." Tina began. "He wants to be closer to you."


"You see, Counselor, I have an issue with that argument because it doesn't match his actions." Lexie turned and went back to the stove and lowered the heat on the gravy. "You know, I'm going to tell you the same thing I told Nick. It's just better if you stay out of my relationship with AJ. Trust me, it's much easier if I just stay as Nick's wife and you're AJ's girlfriend and that they are just best friends."


"I can understand that." Tina shook her head and began to set out the flatware. "I hope that can change some day."


Change is all I've prayed for all of my life. The difference this time is I don't believe it's ever going to happen. Lexie opened the oven, blinking back bitter tears.I'm afraid it's never going to change.

Chapter 55 by old_archive

"This was a great meal, honey." Nick smiled up at her as she removed his plate. CJ got up and helped her, and Scotty took care of his own as usual. "You need help with dessert?"


"Sure." She smiled as he got up to help dish out the pie and ice cream.


They served their guests, then everyone took the pie out to the deck where Nick mixed the adults some drinks. Becka and Willow, Tina's teenage daughters, offered to take the younger children to the beach, but Nick wouldn't let them go without an adult. AJ and Tina went with them, letting Nick and Lexie relax on their own.


"Well, this has been a riot for me. How about you?" Lexie sighed as she sat on a bench over looking the beach.


"Oh, yeah. A riot." Nick sat down, put his arm around her and pulled her a little closer. He raised his drink to his lips and let the warmth trickle down into his stomach.


"Tina gave me her spin on things."


"I bet that was fun."


"A laugh a minute. I told her it was just better if I stay your wife and she stay's AJ's girlfriend and we let you two be friends. Lord knows I don't need her getting all maternal on me.


"Works for me. We have enough to deal with without everyone getting into every damn nook and cranny of our lives."


"Wow, you must be having great fun with AJ."


"I told him basically the same thing."


"Whoa. You did have as much fun as I did."


"Yeah. Have you checked on Christine at all today?"


"No, I thought you had." Lexie sat up and put her drink on the small table in front of them. "I'd better go do that. Since Scotty wants Alex to stay in his room, he'll want to see her before he goes to bed." She leaned over and gave him a light kiss. "I'll be right back."


Christine was fine, although Lexie did pick up a few things she had dropped. She wanted to know if she had told Nick yet and Lexie told her 'no'. She was going to tell him tomorrow, because AJ and his family were spending the night. She insisted again that Lexie not tell Nick, but Lexie told her not to worry about Nick and that it was unavoidable now. She had to tell him. Christine continued to plead with her, but Lexie refused to change her mind and left her crying on the couch.


"How is she?" Nick asked as Lexie came up the stairs to the deck.


"Fine. She's resting. We'll take Scotty over there before he goes to bed."


"She was okay with that?"


"Fine." Lexie picked up her glass and sat down next to him again.


Nick and Lexie saw Alex and Scotty take the last step onto the deck hand in hand. Together, they ran across toward them, matching dark curls bouncing with light from the deck lanterns.


"Hey, little men, it's getting pretty late for you." Nick looked at his watch. "Scotty, you need to go say goodnight to your mom."


"Oh, okay. I'll be right back, Alex!" Scotty darted off to the pool house with Lexie following him at a distance.


The others were right behind the two boys, chatting about how nice the house on the beach was and AJ promising to look into buying one of their own. They greeted Nick, and Tina moved the children inside to get them ready for bed.


"Sounds serious. Buying a house." Nick said to AJ as they watched the girls run through the house.


"Yeah, it is. It's the next step, I suppose. With Howie sick, doesn't look like Tina is heading back to L.A. any time soon." AJ set his empty glass on the bar and poured himself another one.


"You going to marry her?"


"Probably not. I think I'm done getting married. I doubt I could talk her into it. She's not real keen on it either." He took a sip and began patting his pockets down. "You have any cigarettes?"


"I thought you quit again."


"Alcohol makes me want to smoke."


"Bottom drawer on the left."


"Got them. Want one?"


"No, not tonight."


AJ lit up and sucked on it until it visibly gave him some relief. "Having a good time, too?" Nick chuckled.


"Always fun visiting with my daughter these days." AJ said dryly. "No offense."


"None taken."


"Here she comes. What's she doing in the pool house?"


"That's where Christine is. Scotty had to go say good night."


"Wow." AJ watched them come up the stairs and Scotty went to stand in between Nick's bent knees and give him a hug.


"Good night, Nick."


"'Night little guy." Nick hugged him and kissed the top of his head.


"Good night, Poppy." Scotty waved to AJ as he pushed the sliding glass door open and ran inside.


"CJ told him to call me that." AJ smiled at Nick and Lexie.


"I'll see you upstairs?" Lexie asked Nick.


"Yes, in a bit."


"Okay. Good night." She said to AJ as she, too, went inside to help tuck the boys in.


"'Night." AJ called out after her. "That went well."


"AJ."


"Okay, okay. Ignore me." AJ shrugged as he took another drag off his cigarette.



Lexie showered and was asleep in bed before Nick ever made it up to the bedroom. He stripped down and crawled under the covers to join her. She was too asleep to notice he had arrived. He stretched out and closed his eyes, willing himself to sleep.


Morning comes early when you are 4 years old. Scotty was up and in Lexie and Nick's room very early. They just got him settled between them when Alex made his entrance, too. They both drifted off to sleep within 30 minutes. Lexie and the boys were still sleeping when Nick woke later. He flipped back the covers and sat up.


"Nick?" He heard Scotty whisper behind him. He looked back and the boy was rubbing his sleepy eyes. "Is it time to get up now?"


"Yeah, it is. Come here." He held open his arms and Scotty settled into his lap. He looked up at Nick and stared at him for a little while. "What's wrong, buddy?"


"Nothing." Scotty said. "I love you, Nick."


Nick held Scotty close and kissed his dark curls, feeling his own heart drop into his stomach. He smiled, got a little teary, and said to him, "I love you, too, Scotty."


"Nick?" Scotty asked as Nick let go of him. "I'm hungry."


Nick let out a little laugh, "I know what you mean. Let's wake them up and get some breakfast."


"Okay!" Scotty climbed over the bed and began to shake the others awake.



AJ and his family left shortly after breakfast for the trip back to Orlando. Nothing had changed between he and Lexie, but Nick didn't expect anything over night.


Scotty and CJ went to see their mother after lunch to take naps down there. Nick checked on them, but they were already asleep. He turned to leave and Christine stopped him, asked him to step out on the deck behind the pool house with her for a moment.


"What do you need?" Nick asked her as she hugged herself against the cool sea breeze.


"Nothing, I just wanted to talk to you." She wouldn't look at him.


"About what?"


"About everything. About CJ."


"What about her?"


"Please, Nick, please can't you be civil?" She pleaded with him.


"Okay, I'm sorry." He sighed, realizing how tense he sounded. "I've had years to practice getting defensive when it comes to my daughter."


"I know. I should have contacted you sooner. I'm sorry."


"It's done now."


"Forget it." She threw up a hand at him. "You aren't going to listen."


"I'm here, aren't I? You're living with us, you've seen your daughter, what else do you want from me?! If you had come back nine years ago, maybe things would have been different, but too much time has passed."


"Can't you forgive me at all?"


"I don't have to. CJ does. She's the one you hurt, not me. I know what you think of me, and what we feel for each other doesn't matter. All I care about is making sure CJ doesn't get hurt."


"It's too late for that, too, I suppose." Christine sighed. "Well, I am sorry, Nick. I am sorry for what I put you through. I'm sorry for what CJ has gone through. I'm sorry I ever contacted you at all. I don't care what you do with that information, I just had to say it."


"Well, we both know you never cared for me."


"I'm sorry about that, too."


Nick watched her profile. She didn't look or sound very sorry. She sounded angry and pissed at him. That seldom ever happened. Normally, he would yell and she would cry and then he would get pissed off.


"Has your attorney gotten all the papers she needs?"


"Yes, I sent them last week. She's just waiting to file them in district court here in Tampa."


"Good. Then I guess there isn't anything else." She dismissed him with her tone. He turned and left with one last glance of his daughter peacefully sleeping next to Scotty.



"Where are you guys sleeping tonight?" Lexie asked Scotty and CJ after dinner.


"Christine wants us to sleep with her tonight. Is that okay?" CJ asked, using her mother's first name instead of 'mom' this time. She had taken to interchanging them over the last couple weeks.


"That's fine with me." Nick said.


"Okay, so let's get you two ready for bed, and we'll take you down to the pool house." Lexie got up and took the children upstairs while Nick went to their bedroom with a cup of coffee and the Sunday paper he hadn't read that morning.


An hour later, Lexie returned to find him stretched out in a chair, his long legs resting on the matching ottoman. His coffee had long gone cold and the mug was still nearly full. The newspaper rested across his chest as he softly snored. She leaned over and kissed his lips, causing him to wake with a snort.


"Hey, sunshine." She smiled softly. "Maybe you should get ready for bed."


"No, no, I'm not tired." He quietly protested as he set his feet on the floor and sat up.


"Uh, sure." She joked as she turned and headed into the bathroom. She returned dressed in some cool cotton pajamas and found him out on the bedroom's deck.


"Nick? Sit down, I'll brush out your hair." He sat on a chair and she unclipped his hair and began to stroke it.


He chuckled lightly and tilted his head forward, "You know how this turns me on."


"A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do." She smiled.


"I have to know that there is nothing else between us, Lex. No more lies, no more deceit, no more anything." He sighed. I know you love me, but do you want me?


"There is one more thing I have to tell you." She stopped brushing his hair and he lifted his head to look back her. She moved to sit down across from him. "And I'm not sure how to tell you."


He closed his eyes tightly and steeled himself for it. What could it possibly be? Was she pregnant? Is it Jake's? What else could she possible have left to tell him?


"I know who Scotty's father is."


"What?!" Nick's head shot up and he looked at her. He had gone pale quickly, but now the color seemed to be rushing back into his face. "How do you know that?"


"She told me. I begged her not to, but she did anyways. I promised not to tell you until after she had died, but I told her a couple nights ago that I couldn't keep that promise. I told her I was going to tell you after AJ left."


"How long have you known?"


"Not long. About three weeks."


"Three weeks?!"


"Honestly, I didn't think it would be a problem to just tell you later but something has happened."


"Oh, God, what, Lexie?" Nick groaned. He waved his hand for her to continue. "Just let me have it."


"Scotty's father is Kevin, Nick."


"Kevin?" Nick gasped. "Kevin Richardson?"


"Yes."


"Oh. . . my. . . God. . ." Nick slowly got to his feet. "Oh my God, did she have an affair with Kevin? Jesus! How could they do something like this?! Does Kevin know? Oh my God, does he know?!" His voice rose with his anxiety.


"No! No, he doesn't know. She refused to tell him because he was married."


"That didn't stop her from having a kid with him. Jesus, all this time she was in love with Kevin?!"


"No. From what I understand, they just met a few months before she got pregnant. She didn't know him when she was with you."


"Oh, but it's not like Kevin didn't know she had been my girlfriend AND CJ's mother. How could he do something like that?!" Nick exclaimed. "The whole fuckin' world knew we had been together."


"She had left you, what, five years earlier? She didn't have any ties to you at the time and let's face it, you weren't speaking to him at the time either."


Nick made his way back to Lexie and sat back down in his chair, "He doesn't know?"


"No."


"Then what happened that made you tell me now?"


"Kevin's mystery woman is Sabrina. Sabrina Carlson. I. . . we can't ask her to represent us in the adoption if she's seeing his father and not tell them."


"You think we should tell Kevin?"


"I don't know."


"I don't know, either." He sighed. "Scotty told me he loved me for the first time, today."


"Oh, Nick. . ."


"God, how could she do this to me? She's asking me to raise Kevin's son."


"I know."


"I suppose that's why she picked us, so eventually he would know who his father is." Nick sighed and sat back in the chair, letting his legs unfold before him. "Why didn't she want you to tell me?"


"She was adamant that you'd be so angry with her. I think ultimately, she's afraid. You want Scotty and right now, you're the closest thing he has ever had to a father."


Nick knew that, and in the last week, he had been enjoying it. He had grown to have feelings for the child, but now he knew the boy was Kevin's son.


"We're going to need another attorney."


"You don't want to tell them?"


"No, Sabrina told me I might need one here in Florida. No time like the present."


"Christine has documents for him when he is 18."


"I know. I saw them in the safe." Nick looked up at her. "I think we should tell Kevin, but not until the adoption is complete. Sabrina said it would just take 90 days after her death for it to be finalized." Nick replied as he pulled his feet up under him again and sat up straight. He leaned forward and clasped his hands between them. "So, she thought I'd be angry?"


"Very angry." Lexie nodded. "She said you'd never forgive her."


"She's probably right." Nick sighed. "I can't believe this, Lex." Nick dropped his head, and she rested her hands on his shoulders. "How did you find out about Kevin and Sabrina? He hadn't told anyone about her."


Lexie hesitated, removed her hands from him, and then finally answered him, "Jake told me."


"Does he know about Scotty?"


"He figured it out."


"Oh, God. He won't tell Kevin, will he?"


"I don't think so. I told him not to, because I hadn't talk to you yet."


"When did you talk to him last?"


"Two days ago."


Nick fell quiet and then he asked her, "Do you talk to Jake often?"


"That's the first time in while."


"Did you call him?"


"No, he called me. His dad is throwing him a graduation party at the end of June in Orlando. He was inviting us."


"I don't want you talking to him anymore."


"Nick. . ."


"Lexie, please. Cut it off with him." Nick shook his head slowly as he quietly pleaded with her.


"Okay." She swallowed hard. Nick reached up, cupped her cheek with his hand, and lifted her face to look at him.


"He's only going to hurt you." Nick whispered.

Chapter 56 by old_archive

Lexie woke the next morning to the alarm she set so she could get to the pool house and get CJ ready for school. Nick woke with her, but was still in bed when she headed down stairs in her robe.


She padded across the living room and headed into the kitchen to start some coffee. Cook wasn't there yet; she had a doctor's appointment and would be in a little later.


Lexie heard little knuckles rapping on the glass door and turned blurry eyes to find Scotty standing there and staring inside. He knocked again when he saw her. She made her way to the door and opened it up to let him in.


"Hey, baby." She yawned. "Are you ready for breakfast all ready?"


"My mommy won't wake up." He said plainly.


"What?" Lexie knelt down in front of him. "What did you say?"


"I tried to wake her, but she won't wake up. She's cold."


"Oh, Jesus." Lexie stood up. "Nick! Nick!" She yelled. "Nick, get up!"


She heard him run down the hall, and he leaned over the top of the stairs in nothing but his boxers. His hair fell about him like a curtain.


"I think it's time. I think she's gone." She told him.


"Where is CJ?"


"She's still over there."


Let me get a shirt." Nick ran back to the bedroom, pulled on shorts and a T-shirt, and with his hair still loose, he ran down barefoot to the pool house.


Lexie was checking for a pulse, but by her color, Christine had died sometime during the night. She had let the children sleep on the couches and she had gone to the bedroom.


"I'll call the ambulance."


"Dad? What happened?" CJ asked from behind him. He knelt down and picked her up into his arms.


"I'm sorry, CJ, but Christine passed away last night." He whispered.


"What?" She peered over his shoulder and when Lexie moved out of the way, she saw her mother asleep on the bed. "No, she's just asleep."


"No, honey, she's not." Nick finalized for her.


Lexie picked up Scotty and held him. "Do you want to say goodbye?" Lexie asked him.


"Why won't she wake up?" He asked her.


"Scotty, you're mother has passed away. Remember we told you that was going to happen one day?"


"Did she die?"


"Yes, honey, she did." Lexie told him.


"She looks really quiet." Scotty looked over at his mother's peaceful form.


"CJ, do you need to say goodbye, too?" Nick asked her.


"But she was okay yesterday." CJ stammered. She looked over at her Dad. "I had to tell her some more things."


"You can still tell her if you want to. That would be okay." Nick told her.


"But she won't hear me, she's already dead!"


"CJ, she can still hear you. Her spirit can still hear you." Lexie sat with Scotty on a chair next to the bed. "I can still talk to my mom, even though she's not right here with me."


Nick put CJ down, and they moved into the bedroom until CJ stood beside Lexie, next to the bed. Nick knelt on one knee beside her, one arm still around her tiny shoulders.


"I was just telling her stories about growing up with my dad and going on tour and stuff like that." CJ began and then she looked toward Lexie. "What do you talk to your mom about?"


"All sorts of things." Lexie shrugged.


"What are we going to do now?" CJ asked Nick.


"Well, we have to call the ambulance, and they are going to take her to the funeral home so we can have the memorial service."


"Are we still going to do that?"


"Of course." Nick nodded.


"Do I have to go to school today?"


"No, not today." Nick gave her a little squeeze. "Are you guys going to be okay?"


Both of the children nodded, 'yes'.


"Are you ready for Nick to call?"


"Can I give her a kiss?" CJ asked.


"Of course."


"Me, too?" Scotty asked from Lexie's lap.


"Yes." Lexie stood up and held Scotty as he leaned over and gave his mother a kiss on the cheek.


"I love you, mommy." He whispered in her ear.


CJ turned toward Nick, who picked her up, took Lexie's place, and leaned across Christine's body.


"No, I don't want to." CJ pulled back and so did Nick.


"That's okay." Nick set her down, and they all left the bedroom together.


Lexie set down Scotty and told the children to head toward the house and that she would be right there. She reached out laid a hand on Nick's arm to keep him from speaking out.


When they were gone, Nick asked her, "What's up?"


Lexie reached into the pocket of her robe and pulled out three large, empty medication bottles.


"I found these on the bed stand."


Nick picked them up and read the labels. "That selfish bitch."


"It probably doesn't matter. She was dying anyway."


"Fuck." He muttered as he turned toward the breakfast bar and picked up the phone. Nick dialed the number posted there and turned to face Lexie. She had already gone to the house to be with the children.


The children ate very little, but Lexie was able to distract them long enough to get them showered and into play clothes. Nick made all the arrangements, slipping into proper clothes by the time the ambulance crew arrived to remove Christine and take her to the funeral home. He filled out the paperwork, signed a release for the body, and told them to send the death certificate to him.


The children stood at the sliding glass door and watched with curiosity as Nick dealt with the crew removing the body. Eliza, the hospice nurse, arrived for work and Nick told her what happened as they stood outside of the pool house. She came in and gave her condolences to the children and left. The ambulance pulled away from the front of the house, and Nick entered from the front door and faced the three of them.


"Did you guys eat some breakfast?" He asked them.


"I'm not hungry." CJ said sadly.


Lexie picked up Scotty, who was clinging to the hem of her long shirt.


"Why don't we go to the family room and read some books? We can just spend some time together." Lexie suggested.


"That sounds fine." Nick smiled softly for the sake of the children. "I'm going to get a cup of coffee first. You guys want some?" He asked all of them.


"We don't drink coffee, Dad!" CJ moaned.


"I just thought I'd offer." He smiled as he turned and headed toward the kitchen.


Lexie took the children to the family room and that was where Nick found them; sitting on the floor with all kinds of books spread out around them. Some of the titles were about death and losing someone, others were the standard children's stories. Nick brought his coffee cup and sank to the floor to join them. CJ crawled into his lap and together they read all the books they could find.



Nick was on and off the phone all day, making arrangements and calling family and friends and explaining what had happened. He had called Cook earlier and gave her the rest of the day off. He and Lexie wanted the children's full attention all day and they would take care of them.


Naptime was tearful for Scotty, but he finally fell asleep in Nick and Lexie's bed when CJ promised to lay down with him. She drifted off, too.


"When is the service?" Lexie asked Nick as they backed out of the room and closed the door.


"The soonest they could do it was Wednesday afternoon."


"That should be fine. The sooner, the better."


"I spoke with the therapist, too. She said we could call any time if we had any problems. I told her so far, things were quiet."


"So far." Lexie sighed as Nick took her in his arms. "Did you tell the medics about the pills?"


"No point." He rested his chin on the top of her head. "They don't need to know that."


"I agree." She nodded. "Well, they might not be hungry, but I'm starved."


"Yeah, me, too. Let's grab something before they wake up." Nick agreed and they walked downstairs into the kitchen.


Over cold sandwiches and more coffee, they shared their thoughts on what should and should not happen.


"Did you call mom?"


"Yeah. She understands you won't make it for a couple days. She's going to tell Howie a friend of yours died after a long illness and you had to help make arrangements."


"I'm sure that will be fine."


"I want you to remodel the pool house as soon as possible. Get rid of the furniture in there."


"Nick, I just had it done when we moved in. . ."


"I don't want any reminders in there. I want them to be able to use the pool house."


"Alright, but it may take some time. We still have to move the rest of Scotty's things into the house and pack away some of her things as mementos for the children."


"I'm sure Cook can take care of that."


"I think I'd better do it."


"Whatever." He sighed.


"Thanks for handling everything. I hadn't expected that."


"No problem. You had your hands full with the children. I don't know that I would have done any better with them."


"You've been fine."


"What should we do this afternoon after they wake up?"


"I don't know. I guess we'll let them decide."


"Well, she timed it right. At least I have the next couple weeks off before I have to start promoting the album." He sighed. "I had hoped we could fly back to L.A. and see Aaron and Jill."


"I'm sure all of this has thrown them for a loop. They knew her when she was with you."


"Yeah. She wasn't really close to anyone in the family. I guess maybe Jill." Nick shrugged. "Jill was sorry to hear she had died."


"Who else did you call?"


"Mom, Aaron, Jill, Sabrina. . ."


"Do you feel the same about the adoption?"


"Yes, we won't tell him until after it's final. Then he won't be able to do anything about it. I don't want Scotty tossed around between us. Kevin's in no position to take care of him. He doesn't even know Kevin."


"Are you really going to tell Kevin?"


"Oh yeah, I'm going to tell him." Nick sounded so bitter.


"Nick?"


"There are quite a few things I'm going to tell him." Nick lifted his coffee cup to tight lips. His blue eyes shone like steel.


"Nick, please don't make it worse."


"I won't. I'm just going to make some things very clear to those Richardsons, once and for all."



The children woke two hours later and asked to go to the pool house. They decided on their own to start packing Christine's things up. Nick and Lexie let them decide what things they wanted to keep and the things they didn't care for.


Scotty was clinging to both Nick and Lexie. Lexie was moved by Nick's tenderness, but not surprised by it. He always loved well and completely, once he fell in love. Her knuckles smoothed his cheek, and her heart swelled with love for him. Perhaps she was on the verge of understanding him; understanding how Nick Carter loved and why it was fulfilling every broken part of her heart ever since it was abandoned by AJ McLean.


Scotty decided not to keep too many of his old toys, and Nick did have to convince him he did have to keep most of his clothes. It was as if he was trying to rid himself of his past by telling them that he didn't need these things in his new house.


While the children sorted through things, CJ found a box holding two photo albums and when she saw pictures of her parents together, she insisted Nick tell her the stories. So much of those Scotty didn't understand, and he cried as Nick and CJ relived a past he didn't understand. Lexie was able to distract him, but to explain to a 4-year-old that his mother had a life before him was impossible.


By dinnertime, they had moved all of Scotty's things to his room next to the master bedroom and sorted through Christine's things, which were few. CJ really wanted pizza for dinner and asked if they could go out. Scotty looked tired and stressed, but Nick and Lexie decided the distraction of a noisy pizza parlor might do him some good.


The distractions did him wonders, but he fell asleep at the table and as CJ and Nick played a little longer, Lexie sat with him nestled in her arms. They took him home a while later, put him down in his room, and then fell into bed themselves.



"So, how are the arrangements going?" Leah asked Lexie as she and Scotty stood in the PT room with her.


"The services are tomorrow. We're not expecting a lot of people."


"Let me know what time and I'll be there."


"Oh, Mom, you don't have to."


"I want to be there for CJ, at least. Any of Nick's family coming in?"


"His mother, Aaron, and Jane. Jill's getting too far along to fly now." Lexie told her. "BJ might make it up from Palm Beach, and I think Brian and Leighanne are coming."


"Well, as long you guys have a few friends and family around you. Maybe I should tell your Uncle John."


"Oh, don't get everyone involved."


"Well, someone should be there for you guys." Leah smiled as she tapped Scotty's nose. "Those are some pretty green eyes you have, sweetheart." Scotty was bashful and hid his face in Lexie's neck. "Have you explained the family to him, yet?"


"No, except that you're my mom. CJ told him that AJ was his Poppy, though." Lexie smiled.


"Well, all little boys need Poppys." Leah agreed.


"How's Dad doing?"


"See for yourself. He's made great improvement. They are pretty sure they can help him speak, but they won't let him go home until he gets a few words out."


Howie finished his session and Lynne put Caroline in his lap to hold as she wheeled them to where Leah and Lexie were.


"Here they are, all safe and sound." Lynne smiled at them. "Who is this little guy?"


"This is Scotty. He's going to live with me and Nick from now on." She smiled as Scotty continued to hide in her neck.


Howie's brow knitted up as he looked at her. Lexie noticed and said, "Let's get back to your room and I'll explain it."


Lynne headed back to his room and Leah asked her, "Are you sure?"


"I don't know why not. He has to know and he might get upset, but what else can we do?"


"Oh, alright." Leah agreed.


Once settled into Howie's room, Caroline played at his feet with some toys and shyly, Scotty joined her. Howie reached out and tapped Lexie's arm.


"It's a really long story, Dad, can I give you the short version for his sake?" Lexie nodded toward Scotty.


He nodded his agreement.


"Scotty's mother is Christine James, CJ's mother. She contacted us a few months ago because she was dying and wanted to see CJ. She has been living at our house for the last couple weeks. She passed away yesterday. Nick and I have agreed to adopt Scotty."


Howie shook his head 'no' and looked completely sad and then he was frustrated with not being able to communicate.



"You and CJ have a good day?" Lexie turned Scotty loose in the backyard as she and Nick stood on the deck.


"We stopped by her school and picked up her work for the next week. I'll keep her out until Monday." Nick told her. "How was Scotty?"


"He was shy, but after awhile he was talking to my mom. He tried to talk to Dad, but I don't think he knew that Dad couldn't talk back."


"I haven't seen Howie in two weeks. I need to go for a visit. Maybe that's something CJ will want to do this week."


"It sounds like he'll be home pretty soon. Mom's converting the office into a downstairs bedroom. The kids are moving things around the house for him. Uncle John and Aunt Angie are keeping things running over there."


"That's good."


"Grandma and Grandpa are pretty upset though at seeing Howie like this."


"I can imagine." Nick nodded. "It's hard to watch someone you love struggle so hard."


"It is."


"Cook has stripped the linens out of the pool house. I still want to remodel it. Cook told me it was wrong of me to do that and I should leave it."


Lexie shrugged. "We can update the furniture if we want later. Right now, everything in there is brand new. It really would be a waste of money to completely remodel it."


"I know, I know. I want other people to use the place without it creeping them out. I sure didn't think she'd actually kill herself in the damn pool house. I thought she'd die in the hospital." Nick grunted as he leaned over the rail on his elbow.


"The pool house is the least of our problems. Don't you worry about it." She chuckled as she put an arm over his hunched shoulders. "How about dinner on the beach tonight?"


"That's fine." He shrugged.


"I'll talk to Cook about arranging a little cookout for everyone." She turned and walked inside after planting a small kiss on his cheek.


He watched her slim, sexy form move across the patio and wished that he could know for sure that she was going to stay with him. That was the bottom line of it, really. If she really wanted him, then he would know if she would say. If he knew for sure, then he wouldn't have to worry about any other Jake Richardsons showing up in the future. Or Kevin Richardsons in his past.

Chapter 57 by old_archive

The next morning, everyone woke in the master bedroom; they all got up and dressed for play. After breakfast, everyone walked on the beach until it was time to return for lunch and then to go to the services at 1 p.m.


Nick and Lexie were surprised by the turnout. A lot of Nick's family was there, as well as Brian, Leighanne, AJ, Tina and some of Lexie's family including her mother. It was wonderful having so many people there to support them and CJ, although none of them knew Scotty except for AJ.


Lexie sat between Scotty and Leah, while both children sat between Nick and Lexie. Christine's lawyer did the eulogy from New York and Lexie suspected that their relationship had been more than professional by his overwhelming emotion; emotion shared by nearly no one else in the room.


Scotty got up and down in his seat, crawling between Lexie's lap and Nick's. Eventually, he settled down to stand at the inside aisle of their row between AJ's knees and watching the service. He would glance back at AJ, then at Nick and return to watching the prayers and services for his mother.


When the service ended and it was time to view the body, Lexie called him back to her as the funeral directors opened the casket.


Nick took CJ up to quietly say goodbye to the mother she barely knew. She just stared down at her, hugged her father's neck, and they moved away. Lexie picked Scotty up and moved forward.


"Bye, Mommy." He said in a loud whisper, leaning over with Lexie to kiss her goodbye. "I love you, Mommy." That brought tears to her eyes as it did most of the adults who didn't even know him. "Bye-bye, Mommy."


He turned around and hugged Lexie hard around her neck as she walked away with him. Everyone who had known her filed past and paid their respects. Most of Lexie's family doing it out of obligation to Nick, Lexie, CJ and the little boy whom just entered their lives and family.


Lexie joined Nick and CJ out in the hall. CJ was actually holding her grandmother's hand. When Jane moved toward Lexie, she wasn't sure what to do with Scotty. To Lexie's amazement, Jane reached out and stroked Scotty cheek tenderly.


"I'm CJ's Grandma Jane. I'm going to be your Grandma, too." She smiled just for him.


He looked at Lexie and then at Leah who was standing next to her.


"Jane is Nick's mother. Leah is my mother so they are both your grandmas now." Lexie tried to explain.


Scotty looked Jane up and down then said, "I've never had a grandma before."


"Well, now you have two." Jane told him.


"And our jobs are to spoil you rotten." Leah tickled his tummy.


"I think that would be a wonderful idea." Jane agreed. "Would like to ride in the car with me and CJ?"


"C'mon, Scotty." CJ urged him.


"Are you sure you want both of them?" Lexie set a squirming Scotty down. He took CJ's hand, and they walked to the waiting limos.


"Oh, I'll be fine." She waved to Lexie as she followed the children.


"I think there has been a cold day in hell." Leah whispered to Lexie.


"I think you're right." Lexie whispered back.


The children rode with Aaron, his daughter Jane and Grandma Jane to the cemetery for the graveside service. Leah rode in another car with Lexie and Nick and they discussed Jane's surprising attitude.


"Well, I doubt she's going to be putting him in the will or anything." Nick commented dryly.


"But it is nice of her to be so accepting of him. I mean, he's not really her grandson." Lexie pointed out.


"I'm sure there is some twisted motivation behind it."


"Nick, you are awful." Leah scolded him.


"I'm sure Aaron put the fear of God into her. As long as she behaves herself, I don't care what she does." Nick sighed.


"I just want both of them to have enough love to get through this, even if it comes from a surprising source." Lexie told them both.



Family and friends gathered at the house where Cook oversaw the caterers for the wake. Alex and Scotty were in play clothes and out the backdoor in a flash. Everyone was polite and respectful of Christine's death, but as Lexie moved around the room, she heard a lot of business chatter. The fates of SDR and Nick's new album release were the main topics. Howie's health and his return to home came up as well as adoption of Scotty.


"So, mother is behaving herself." Aaron chuckled as he leaned on the bar where Lexie stood getting a drink for Jane.


"Yes, what did you do to her?" Lexie smiled.


"Just explained a few things to her. She's trying to get back into Nick's good graces. She wants CJ to come visit for the summer."


"Well, I don't know what he's going to say about that."


"Hopefully you'll all come to visit this summer." Aaron stood up and put an arm around her shoulders. "You're looking a little too thin. My big brother taking good enough care of you?"


"Oh, it's fine, Aaron. You know me. Easy on, easy off." She smiled as she stepped away to bring Jane her requested drink. The two women spoke civilly to each other, but Lexie wasn't interested in a confrontation with her right away.


"Boy, we're going to have a hard time separating those two." Leah laughed as she approached Jane and Lexie. Alex and Scotty came tearing through the house looking for a snack from Cook. She promptly took them into the kitchen to eat a proper lunch. "I think they will grow up to be best friends."


"Well, technically, isn't Alex Scotty's uncle?" Jane inquired.


"I guess so." Lexie chuckled. "I hadn't thought of that."


"You know, I admire what you and Nick are doing." Jane continued. "Taking him in and all. I hope he can come to visit this summer with CJ. You know, in L.A."


"Well," Lexie began with a knowing smile. "We'll just have to schedule that. There is no telling with Nick's album being released in July when we'll be able to do that. I'll talk to Nick about it, though."


"Oh! Would you? I'd like to have them both this summer." Jane smiled eagerly.


"Yeah, I'll talk to Nick." Lexie agreed.



The last of the guests left around 4 p.m. CJ had disappeared into her room with Jane and had fallen asleep, so Jane informed them when it was time for her to leave. Scotty and Alex kept going at full speed until it was Alex's turn to leave. No doubt, Alex fell asleep in the car, because Scotty was out about 10 minutes after starting to watch TV.


"Any run-ins with AJ?" Nick asked her as he stuffed his tie into his jacket pocket and helped her collect glasses from around the living room.


"No. He was on his best behavior. He seems happy to have Alex here to play with Scotty."


"It was good for Scotty." Nick smiled. "We'll have to find him a playgroup or pre-school or something. I think there is a pre-school at CJ's school."


"Did you leave him in the theatre?"


"Yeah, he's out like a light. He's not going anywhere any time soon." Nick set the used glasses on the bar as Cook gathered them up to take them into the kitchen.


"Poor little soul." Cook sighed. "He's so lucky to have you two."


"Oh, thanks, Cook." Lexie smiled as Cook turned toward the kitchen. "I'm just lucky to have you." She reached out and squeezed Nick's hand.


"Ain't that the truth." He teased her as he pulled her into her arms. He kissed her lightly and then let her go. It was not the kind of kiss that Lexie found herself craving these days. "We'd better go finish helping Cook." He smiled softly. "You think tomorrow you'll go to Orlando to visit with Howie? CJ wants to go. I'm thinking we could all go."


"Yeah, I was. That'll be fine." She nodded. He turned and picked up some dishes and headed into the kitchen. "Just fine."



Nick and Lexie let the children wake up on their own. Scotty found Lexie in the office answering emails and snuggled up on her lap. He sat quietly as she typed and answered her quietly when she asked him a question.


"There, I'm done. Are you hungry? Would like some dinner?" She asked.


"No."


"Tomorrow we're going to go to visit Grandpa Howie in the hospital again. Is that okay?" She asked him. He only nodded in agreement. "Let's go see what CJ and Nick are doing."


CJ was hungry, but Scotty wasn't. He played in his room while they ate a light meal of leftovers. CJ went up to get him when she was done, but didn't come back for a long time.


"You think we should check on them?" Nick asked.


"I don't know. I guess. It's been a half an hour. You don't think they fell back asleep, do you?"


"God, I hope not." He smiled as they got up from the kitchen table and headed upstairs. They heard voices coming from CJ's room and waited outside the room.


"You should call my Dad, 'dad'." CJ told Scotty. "Because he's like your dad, now."


Nick flashed a little smile at Lexie who returned his grin.


"I don't wanna." Scotty muttered.


"I guess you don't have to right away, but you will later." She warned him.


"Lexie is my Mommy now." Scotty suddenly said and Lexie almost gasped. There was silence between the children. They heard some shuffling and then a thump that sounded like Scotty sitting on the floor.


"I guess she's my mom, too, now. She's always been like my mom." CJ said.


Nick gave Lexie a thumbs up.


"I want to see my mommy." Scotty said sadly.


"I know, but you can only see her in your heart now because she went to Heaven." CJ explained to him. "And we have pictures."


"I know, but I don't like that." Scotty's voice sounded muffled.


"I don't like it either." She agreed.


Nick peeked into the room to find CJ's arm around Scotty and his face buried in her sweater. Lexie and Nick watched as CJ comforted him.


"We have to be brave, because that's what Mom would want."


Lexie tapped Nick on the shoulder and signaled that they should leave the children alone. They quietly backed down the hall and down the stairs.


"I just get more amazed by her every day." Lexie sighed as she looked over at Nick. "Every single day."


"I know what you mean." He smiled back. "I think they're okay. Let's go get some coffee and take it out on the deck."


"You got yourself a date." She agreed.



For the rest of the week, they all went to visit Howie and helped get the Dorough home ready for Howie's trip home on Monday. He still wasn't speaking, but he was walking on his own with a cane.


Each day got better for the children, still having moments of tears, especially when Scotty wasn't sure where he fit in with the other children. While in Orlando, he spent some time with AJ and Alex, playing while others were working around the house. They were quickly becoming like bread and butter, which was so cute to see.


"I had no idea what another kid would do for him." AJ mused as he watched them play in Howie's back yard.


"They are quite a pair, aren't they?" Nick agreed.


"When's the adoption final?"


"Not for three more months. I've got a local attorney working on it." Nick told him. "Sabrina doesn't hold a bar here in Florida."


"I'm sure Tina would have done it for you. . ." AJ began.


"Nah, she has her hands full with SDR." Nick shook his head. "It was her idea any ways."


"And you have no idea who the father is?"


"Not a one."


AJ turned to leave the deck and head back inside, "You know if I didn't know better I'd think it was Kevin. Kid looks just like him."


Thank God, AJ turned his back when he said that so he missed Nick's reaction. Hell, he hadn't seen the resemblance until Lexie had told him. He wondered if Kevin would see it, too, if he ever saw his son.


No. Nick would never get the chance to find out. He wouldn't give Kevin a chance to see him. Not until the adoption was final and Scotty was legally his son. There would be nothing Kevin could do about it.



The following week, Howie came home and was excited to see everyone there. Somehow, Nick convinced AJ that the boys would be better off at his house with Tina's girls babysitting than at the Dorough house. Kevin was going to be there, too. Lexie thought it was strange, but since the boys liked to spend so much time together, she didn't give it too much of a second thought.


Things between AJ and Lexie seemed to be mellowing. They were slipping into a comfortable place with each other, although it was not as loving and close as a parent-child relationship. It was all AJ could do not to flinch when he saw her with Howie, but he never let it show. Not once.


By the end of May, Kevin did file for divorce from Kristen, just as Jake had said. Invitations for Jake's Orlando graduation party arrived, but Nick didn't seem interested in going. Kevin asked if he'd be there and that was when Nick committed to going. Right after the filing, Kevin and Sabrina came out as a couple. The way Aaron told it, he thought Jill and Tina were going to kill her for hiding out like that.


CJ's birthday party was at the end of the month and she had tons of her little friends from school, not to mention family as well. It was Howie's first trip away from Orlando, but he was glad to come. Finally speaking, his speech came broken and slurred, but with patience, he could be understood.


Lexie sat on the couch with him and he put an arm around her shoulders to pull her close. He kissed her cheek.


"Hey, watch the moves, D!" Nick teased him as he plopped down on the couch across from them. "That's my girl."


Howie swung out his cane and smacked him on the shin. "My daughter." He smiled.


"Ouch! Hey, I'd watch him. He's still an operator." Nick laughed.


"I know, he's the worst." Leah came up behind them and put her arms around Howie's neck, kissing his cheek.


"Man, I think you two need a room." Nick pointed toward Howie's lap. "Would you like some ice for that swelling, D."


"Oh, man." Howie groaned, crossing his legs while the ladies laughed with Nick.


"Shame on you, Nick Carter!" Leah scolded him with her pointed finger.


Nick got up and slapped Howie's knee, "You don't fool me for a second." He winked at his former band mate. "Come, wife, the guests are demanding cake." He held out his to Lexie who took it and he pulled her to her feet. "Let's give them cake."


They laughed as they moved off, leaving Leah and Howie alone for a moment.


"That's quite a remarkable display, Howie." She breathed in his ear.


"Stop." He stammered.


"I'm afraid I might not be able to stop." She moved around the couch, straightened his legs and sat in his lap. She slipped her arms around his neck and kissed him full on the lips.


Howie turned his face away, "Stop."


"I know you think I shouldn't still want you, but I do." She said quietly. His brown eyes spoke volumes as they locked with hers. "I love you with all my heart, honey. The doctors said it would be okay. I shouldn't let you off the hook so easily." She kissed him again and got up. "I don't think you want me, too, either."



"What's going on in there?" AJ asked over Nick's shoulder as Nick served cake. Nick looked back as Leah helped Howie up.


"I do believe romance is in bloom." Nick chuckled.


"Good Lord, do you think he still can?" AJ mused. Nick gave him a stern look, "Yeah, what was I thinking?" AJ chuckled with a shake of his head.


"You two quit talking trash." Leighanne warned Nick and AJ as she got some cake for Brian.


"What else kinda talkin' is there?" AJ cackled.


"You're still so evil." Leighanne bumped AJ with her hip as she moved off with her plates.


The rest of the party went well with all the boys there except Kevin. He had to fly to Paris suddenly to do some re-mixing for a film. No great loss for Nick, but there was still the party in June for Jake.


"Earth to Nick." Lexie snapped her fingers in his face. AJ had left him standing at the cake with a serving knife posed.


"Huh?" Nick said startled.


"I said, 'can you help Mom get Dad out to the deck?'" Lexie chuckled.


"Yeah, sure, no problem."


"He okay?" Brian approached Lexie and they both watched him guide Howie to the deck.


"Yeah. I think. I don't know. He seems pre-occupied with something." Lexie wondered aloud.


"I thought so, too." Brian agreed. "Nothing bad, I hope."


"No, not that I know of." Lexie shrugged. "Not that I know of."

Chapter 58 by old_archive

June burst through Tampa with a torrent of rain that kept the children inside for a week. Hurricane warnings came and went without a true hurricane making its way inside the Gulf and up to Tampa. By the end of the month, CJ was out of school, and the children were splitting their time between Tampa and Orlando. Howie settled in nicely at home and continued to learn to function in spite of his new limitations.


Nick left a few times for 2- or 3-day trips to do some early promotion of his album due out July 27th, her birthday. Somehow on the days she was alone, with Nick gone and the children in Orlando, Jake seemed to call. Lexie tried to break it off the first couple times, but the conversations stayed within proper confines. He spoke of his plans to work in Miami at a radio station there and maybe get an internship at a record company. He never mentioned his feelings about her, but he also never asked about her and Nick. Friendly talk between friends.


Lexie and Nick were never intimate the entire time. They fell into a comfortable rhythm of family and work. Lexie assumed that Nick would make his move when he was ready, but he seemed disinterested. Other intimacies did return to their relationship, though. He would talk to her about everything. His music, the children, his feelings and on one level seemed to regain some trust in her. In return, Lexie held back nothing, except for her conversations with Jake.


The night of his graduation party came with Nick and Lexie driving alone to Orlando for the festivities. Sabrina and Kevin had purchased a home in town and were hosting the party. From prior conversation with Jake, Lexie knew that he accepted Sabrina and her relationship with his father.


Nick was coldly silent during the drive.


"You okay? We don't really have to go." Lexie said at the halfway point.


"I'm fine. We promised Kevin we'd be there."


Lexie didn't say another word until they arrived. Kevin and Sabrina greeted them at the front door. Lexie missed the deep breath Nick took before facing Kevin. He acted as if nothing was wrong.


The party was lively and bright. Lexie was happy to see Gina there; although Gina and Jake were just friends and not dating any more. It gave them a chance to revive talk of opening their own appraisal business in central Florida.


The evening seemed to drone on forever for Nick. He was polite and very much the 'Nick Carter' everyone expected, but escape could not come soon enough. When it became clear that Gina and Lexie had tons to talk about, he escaped down a hallway and slipped into a room Kevin had shown him as the den.


The lighting of the room was dimmed to an intimate level. He never noticed another in the light paneled room until he spoke.


"Had to get away, too?" Jake asked as he moved away from the window and across the room toward Nick.


"Just taking a break." Nick replied, only half surprised to see Jake in here, seemingly waiting for Nick.


"It's good to see Lexie. You, too."


"It's in your best interest not to see her again." Nick walked to the front of Kevin's desk and hiked one pant leg of his gray suit as he settled one hip on the edge.


"She and I are friends."


"Not any more." Nick's drink lifted to his lips without looking at the younger man.


"Really? We've chatting all month." Jake said. "What? She didn't tell you?"


The shock must have registered on Nick's face. He didn't want it to, but it must have.


"It doesn't matter. I'm telling you." Nick set his glass down on the desk. "Stay away from my wife."


"Now, how are you going to prevent that?" Jake challenged him. "I mean, I already know about Scotty being my father's kid."


"And you're going to do what with that information?"


"Nothing." Jake said, "Yet."


"So, that's what its really about, isn't it? It's about hurting her, isn't it?"


"No, I'd never hurt. . ." Jake spoke quickly, trying to cover.


"Because, you see, when you love a woman, you want to protect her. You don't want anything to come into your house and hurt her." Nick got to his feet. He stood inches taller than the younger man did. He straightened his jacket and squared his shoulders. "That's not something I'd expect you to understand. You've never really loved a woman, have you?"


"I love her." Jake glared at Nick. "You slipped up old man. You let down your guard. . ."


Nick moved a little closer. "That won't happen again."


"You know, you're always going to be older than us. The time you start to slip," Jake snapped his fingers, "is the time I'll be there."


"You love her?" Nick pressed himself a little closer. His anger was thinly veiled.


"I do." Jake held his ground.


The lights suddenly came on in the room cutting off Nick's hot retort. Kevin was standing at the door. Nick and Jake moved away from each other, momentary blinded by the sudden light. Jake looked up and saw Nick's eyes locked on him. For a moment, he was afraid of Nick.


"There you guys are." Kevin said. "It's your party, Jake, you should be out with your guests."


Jake looked up at Nick, "No problem, Dad. I'm coming." Jake and Nick exchanged cold stares and then Jake left the room.


"What is going on between you and my son?" Kevin suddenly asked. Nick turned back to the desk and picked up his glass.


"Nothing." And he took a drink.


"Nick?" They both heard Lexie call for him at the end of the hall.


Without a word, Nick moved around Kevin and out to the hall. He signaled Lexie that he was there and went to greet her. Without a fuss, they both returned to the party, leaving Kevin puzzled in his own den.



"Do you really want to go back to Tampa tonight?" Nick asked as he let the roof down on the black BMW convertible.


"Uh, I guess. Where else would I want to go?" Lexie chuckled as they moved away from Kevin's house.


"You're not upset we left early."


"No, not at all."


"I was thinking we could get a room in town. Cook said she would spend the night if we asked her." Nick said as he drove toward downtown Orlando.


Lexie's heart began to race. What was he thinking? What was he planning?


"I guess that would be fine. I didn't bring a bag or anything."


"Well, me either. We can buy whatever we need from the hotel."


Nick drove downtown and ordered everything they would need from the Concierge as he drove. He pulled up in front of a luxury hotel, and the valet took the car as they entered the hotel to claim their room key.


Lexie followed Nick through the hotel to their room, where he opened the door with the card key and let her enter first. He had ordered an elegant suite for them and spread out on a table was a meal of fruit, cheese, and wine.


"Nick, it's beautiful." She told him as she turned back to find him leaning against the closed hotel room door.


"Why didn't you tell me you were still speaking with Jake?" He wasn't looking at her. He reached up, removed his tie, and stuffed it in his jacket pocket.


"It was just a few times. Just recently. We didn't really talk about anything, so I guess I didn't think anything of it." She stammered. Had he brought her here to fight with her?


Nick tipped his head back and she could see the fresh tears on his face. "I love you so much, Lexie." He choked on his words and then leveled his gaze at her. "All I need to know is that I'm the one you want. That's all and I'm yours."


"Oh, God, Nick. Of course. Of course, I love you." Lexie ran to him and wiped his face. "I love you so much." She reached on her toes to kiss him, but he held her away from him.


"But do you want me? Is this what you want?" He began to pull off his jacket and then with trembling fingers he unbuttoned his shirt. He pulled it from his slacks and let the shirt find the jacket on the floor. He kicked off his shoes and reached for his belt buckle.


"Nick? What are you doing?" Confused, Lexie tried to understand.


"I'm not going to get any younger." He continued to remove his clothing until he stood naked in front of her. "He loves you, Lexie. I love you, too, but he loves you. This is all I am ever going to be. Am I what you want? Do you want me? Do you want this?"


Naked and trembling, he endured her stare.


He was flushed red with embarrassment and uncertainty. His trembling never subsided. He clasped and unclasped his hands several times as though willing them to stop. Whatever pride and dignity he had left was slipping away. He was ready to do anything to keep her; anything at all.


"If you love him, too. . . I'd understand." Nick swallowed hard. "Just don't leave me. I don't care what you do, I just need to know that you aren't going to leave me. I'll do anything you want, Lexie, but I need to know."


God knew he couldn't live like this any more, especially since his confrontation with Jake. Jake would always be there, and Nick was smart enough to know that now. He had thought that Jake was behind them, but to know that he had been calling and they had been speaking shook him. He had nothing left to do but to beg her to stay, and if she wanted more freedom, he'd give it to her.


"What have I done?" Lexie's voice was small and scared.


"Lexie. . ."


"I don't love Jake, Nick. I've always loved just you." Lexie shook her head.


"No. I know you do. . ." Nick stammered.


"No. Never. It was always you."


Nick could not look at her. If it was a lie, he couldn't bear to see it.


"He was my friend, and he betrayed me. I knew what I was doing, but I never imagined he would betray me enough to try and hurt you."


Nick finally lifted his eyes to her. Had she heard them? No, she had been at the end of the hall when Kevin had broken them up.


"I should be begging you." She began to remove her clothing. "I'm sorry, Nick. I'm sorry for all of it. Christine, Jake. . . all of it. This is all my fault, and I swear to you that I will spend the rest of my life making it up to you." Her last garment fell to the floor, "if you'll let me."


Nick reached out and took hold of her bare shoulders. "My God, Lexie. I can't live without you! I love you so much!" He declared. He pulled her up to her toes and kissed her passionately, taking her breath away. She burst out laughing against his lips and he began to laugh, too. "Oh, God, that feels so good." He smiled down at her.


"I want you, Nick." She turned from his embrace and took his hand, leading him to the bedroom.


Nick's entire body was on fire, nearly trembling out of control. A chance to bury himself inside her. A chance to own her and to be owned by her. A chance to let his once forbidden fantasies run wild again and to have her fulfill every one. How he had prayed to have her writhe beneath him and call his name over and over again.


Jake had experienced the same thing. He had had her beneath him and God knows how else.


"Nick?" She turned back as he balked at the door to the bedroom. She saw the look on his face. He was thinking of her and Jake together. She always suspected that was what held him back all these months. If he would just give her a chance, he would remember what they had been like.


Lexie let go of his hand and opened the bedroom door. She stepped inside and sat on the edge of the bed. He didn't move from the doorway and she looked up to see him silhouetted against the light from the living room. He wasn't budging.


She rested her hands on her bare legs and then let them slowly part, slipping her hand between her thighs. It elicited a groan from him across the room. It rippled through her body. It had been so long since she had heard his voice in the dark.


"Do you know how much I want you?" She asked. Her other hand began to caress her breasts as he watched. She knew he was staring. "Do you know how much I miss you touching me? How much I want you to. . ."


"To do what?" He moaned.


". . .make me do whatever you want. No questions asked. Anything you want, Nick. I'll do it." She began to writhe against her own touch. She opened her eyes and he was standing directly in front of her.


"I'll do anything you want." He groaned.


"It's what you want, Nick." She replaced her hands with his until he pressed into her, laying her back across the bed.


Making love to her was easy, sweet, and exactly what he did want. He was so tender that he brought her to tears more than once. He consumed her. She wept for her foolishness and her good fortune. He shared her emotion, and they wept together wordlessly for hours between making love over and over again. Sunrise escaped them as they slept through it, woke by noon and made love yet again.



Wrapped in hotel robes and sitting on the screened balcony of the suite, floors above the ground, Lexie continued her long strokes of the brush through Nick's hair until it shined.


"I'm not ready to go home." Nick sighed.


"I'd suggest we stay longer, but I'm a little concerned about leaving Scotty without explaining it to him."


"I know. I've got tons to do at home, too. I was just saying." Nick shrugged.


Lexie pulled his hair back into a tail, braided it about 3-4 inches and clipped it off. Her cell phone rang on the glass table next to them and Nick reached to pick it up. The caller ID identified the caller as Jake. He showed it to her as it rang. She didn't hesitate as she took the phone from him and answered it.


"Hello?"


"Hey, girl. . ."


"Look, this has to stop. It's over Jake."


"What?! Don't be silly, we're friends."


"We're nothing. It's over. Don't call me any more."


"What did that bastard say?!" Jake snapped. "He threatened me, Lex."


"Consider it an open-ended proposition."


"I'll tell him, Lexie. I'll tell him everything we did." Jake protested desperately.


"He already knows." She clicked the phone off and punched a few more buttons, blocking his number. "You threaten him?" She set the phone down on the table with the hairbrush.


"No. Not exactly." Standing behind him, Lexie couldn't see the small cruel smile on Nick's lips.


"Not exactly?" She mused. She leaned forward and wrapped her arms around his neck, kissing his cheek.



"Having a good day?" Leah asked Howie as she set some ice water down beside him as he sat on the deck.


He nodded, picking the glass up with his good hand and used the straw to keep from spilling on himself.


"Glad no therapy today." He slurred as he put the glass down. "Tired of that."


"I bet you are." She chuckled.


He ran a hand over his hair, plucking at curls, "Need cut."


"I don't know. It's kinda cute."


He rolled his eyes and she laughed, "Okay, I'll call Jenny to come to the house and do your hair."


"Thank you." He smiled lopsidedly.


Leah took up a seat next to him, propping up her feet on a small table and taking in the sun.


"I can't believe there are no children in this house and how quiet it is." She sighed.


"I miss them."


"Sometimes I do, too, but not right now." She sighed, startling suddenly as she felt Howie's hand on her bare thigh, just below the hem of her shorts. She forced herself to relax and let him continue his gentle exploration. When his fingers became tantalizing close, "I thought you didn't want to."


"Doctor ok." He replied. "I know I'm nothing. . ."


"Stop that! Stop that right now!" She snapped, setting her feet down to face him. "I will always love you, Howie, and I don't care what happens to you."


"Not same."


"Looks fine to me." She smirked and so did he. She slid her own hand carefully up his thigh. "I'm game if you are."


He had been aroused enough times that they knew it would function. He had been having an adjustment period to his limitations and some insecurity had come with that. She had reassured him and reassured him and gave him plenty of opportunity to resume their intimate relationship any time. He was finally taking her up on one.


He got up and she held the door for him as he made his way through the house to his den-bedroom, but he turned and headed up the stairs to their old bedroom. She followed slowly behind them as he navigated the stairs with his cane and poor gait. He was winded by the time he got to the top, but he continued on to their bedroom.


He made it to the edge of the bed where he sat down and pointed to Leah. It was hard to tell if his hard breathing was from the effort or excitement.


"You first. Hair down."


Leah pulled down her messy bun and let her blonde hair fall about her shoulders. She removed her clothing for him and reached to remove his. His good hand caressed her.


His body was so much thinner now, although he had gained some more weight since he had been home. His left side was slightly twisted and not uniform any more, but she loved him no less. Even when he could barely speak, he could make her laugh. Even with one hand, he could still make her melt.


"How?" He asked as she removed his last garment.


"On your back. I can do all of the work." She smiled as he scooted back on the mattress.


"Just this once." He chuckled as he flopped back. "Be nice."


She laughed aloud as he tried to wiggle his pelvis for her, trying to be sexy. He was still as bad as he ever was.

Chapter 59 by old_archive

Every night for the next month, Nick made love to Lexie. He could not get enough of her and soon her building desire matched his own. Absorbed in each other, it was hard to think of the pending separation for Nick's upcoming 2-month long promotional tour that started the day after the release party.


"Okay, what do you think? Blue or black?" Nick held up the two separate designer suits for her to inspect before he packed for the party in Orlando.


"I'd say. . . black." She mused as she watched him.


"Are you sure?"


"That's what I said, didn't I?" She waved a hand at him and continued her own packing around what Cook had done.


"Makes you look slimmer." Cook nodded.


"What? I'm fat?!" Nick gasped.


"Oh, thanks, Cook." Lexie moaned.


"No, no, honey." Cook laughed. "I think that one is more tailored. It looks nicer. You're fine, Nick."


Nick watched Lexie painfully stretch her back.


"Are you okay?" He asked as he put the black suit in the travel bag.


"Just my ribs. I think I might have stretched them too much swimming against the surf yesterday."


"Maybe you should see someone."


"Naw, I'm fine." She winced. "I'm sure it'll pass."


"Okay." He sighed. "Where is your dress?"


"It'll be at the hotel. I didn't want to drag it all the way back to Tampa when Portia was done with it."


"Portia Arnaughton. I'm afraid to see what that cost me." Nick joked.


"A pretty penny, trust me." She wagged a finger at him. She turned and lay down on the bed and watched them finish packing. Before she knew it, she was falling asleep and Nick woke Lexie an hour later.


"Hey sleepyhead." He joked as he gently shook her awake. "Have I been too rough on you these nights that you need naps?"


Lexie woke with a yawn and another painful stretch, "No, no. I think the pain is making me tired."


"I wish you'd see the doctor about your ribs." Nick got off the bed and pushed the bags closer to the door. "I need you in tiptop shape in three days for the release party."


"Not to mention my birthday party." She smiled up at him as he sat on the edge of the bed.


"Are you going to stay with your folks and watch the interview Saturday?"


"Yeah, I don't want to be alone and watch it, since you'll be in New York at VH1." She rolled onto her back. "Besides, they want to see the kids."


"And hoard you a little around your birthday?"


"Probably a little more of that, too."


"Are they having a private party, too?"


"I think just family. We're planning to watch the interview together."


"You know, I'm not sure how AJ is going to take it."


"I know, I've had the same thought." Lexie sighed. "But what can I do? I answered her questions as honestly as I could. I think it's obvious I can't do anything that is going to make him happy."


"God, I hate hearing you talk like that."


Lexie just shrugged. "On the surface, we're just fine. Don't worry. No one at the party will know any different. It's not about me, any ways, it's about you and the album."


"No, it's about you, too." He chuckled.


"Yeah, but just a little bit." She smiled back. "You can take the thunder and run with it."



The day before the party, Lexie couldn't ignore Nick's pestering about seeing a doctor before going to Orlando for the long weekend. She called and got in late that morning.


"So, you've been tired a lot lately?" She asked Lexie. "How has your urination been?"


"Damn, I seem to be peeing a lot, now that you mention it." Lexie sighed. "I really think I just strained my ribs swimming."


"Lexie, I'm not sure you're aware of this, but the date you gave the nurse about your last period was nearly six weeks ago."


"Oh my. . ."


"I can see that this is coming as a surprise. Look, lets just run a quick pregnancy test." The doctor got up and patted Lexie on the knee.


Lexie's heart began to race. She hadn't expected this, not at all! She and Nick had made love a lot over the last month, sometimes more than once a day. She had missed him so much, and this part of their marriage, she hadn't given it any thought. She had quit using birth control when it became obvious that she and Nick weren't going to be together for a long time. She had had two cycles since she had been with Jake, so there was no doubt it was Nick's child.


Lexie followed the nurse to the bathroom, gave a urine sample and then she sent Lexie back to the exam room to disrobe for a complete exam.


When the doctor returned, she sat down across from a nervous Lexie and told her the results.


"It was positive, Lexie. You're pregnant."


"Are. . . are you sure?" Lexie stammered.


"Yes, I'm sure." She smiled with a nod. "You think your partner will be supportive of your pregnancy?"


"I guess so. I mean, Nick and I had planned on trying again." Lexie stammered, tears coming to her eyes. "I guess this is what I get for not being careful with my own husband." She tried to joke. The doctor chuckled and handed Lexie a few tissues, "I just wasn't expecting this, that's all."


"Let's do an exam, see how you're doing, then we can start scheduling some follow up exams."



It was true. The doctor estimated that she was approximately 4 weeks along and that the rib pain was her body adjusting to the changes. She shook and was in tears all the way home. Confused, she sought Nick out in the studio he had built over the garage.


"Hey, baby." He smiled as he pulled off his headphones and turned down the sound. "How did the doctor's visit go? Oh, baby!" Nick stood and took her in his arms as Lexie burst into tears.


Now Nick was scared, especially when she wouldn't calm down easily. It took a good 10 minutes before she was calm enough to talk. They sat cuddled on a leather couch in the corner.


"Oh, Lexie, you've got me scared now." He soothed her. "Just say it, baby, it'll be okay." Lexie sat up across from him and wiped his eyes. "It's not bad, is it?"


God, what if something serious is wrong with her? He took her hand. God had to know he couldn't live without her. This last month had been about clinging to her, creating a life with her, and not letting her go. Trying to make her believe how much he loved her and couldn't live without her, regardless of whatever choices she made.


"I guess there isn't a good lead in for this." She half smiled. "Nick, I'm pregnant."


The stunned silence echoed in his blue eyes as they blinked not once, not twice, but three times, before he spoke.


"Are you sure?"


"Funny, that's what I asked the doctor." She quirked.


"Oh, my God. . ." Nick sighed. "Are you happy?" How far along is she?


As if she read his mind, she said, "Yes, I'm happy. I mean, I'm only four weeks along." She chuckled, "Actually, I think I'm still stunned."


"No wonder you've been so tired." He smiled.


"Are you happy?"


"Oh, God. I. . . I'm freakin' amazed. This is so damn perfect, Lexie." He leaned over with fresh unshed tears in his eyes. "I love you so damn much and now this. It's everything I could ever want with you, Lexie. Everything. Yeah, I'm happy." He pulled her into his arms and held her. Letting go of her, he asked her, "Are you okay, though? Is the baby okay?"


"Everything is fine. I healed well after losing the last one and she was very optimistic about this pregnancy being like clockwork." Lexie nodded.


Nick leaned back heavily into the couch. "God, I can't leave on this tour now."


"Of course you can! Damn, Nick." She laughed.


"I want to be with you every minute of every day." He sighed. "I don't want to go now."


"Nick, there will be plenty of time for us when you're done with this PR tour. Of course you're going to go."


"When should we tell people, I mean, should we wait until later?" Nick asked as he leaned forward.


"I don't know why we can't just tell them now." Lexie shrugged. "I mean, something could go wrong, but I don't think it will. Dr. Stone seemed very sure it would be textbook."


"Announce it at the party?"


"I don't know about telling the whole damn world at once." Lexie laughed.


"What about the kids? What do you think Scotty is going to say?"


"I think CJ will be fine, but I don't know about Scotty. Maybe we should wait until we can ask the therapist."


"I should be here and I don't think we should just tell him and then I leave. He's having a hard enough time with me leaving as it is."


"I agree. So we wait."


"Yeah, for just a little while. It'll be our mad little secret."


"What if I get as sick as I did last time. People will figure it out."


"Maybe you won't get as sick. We'll wing it. If the adults know, that's fine as long as they don't tell the kids." Nick said, "I think we can count on them."



They made it to Orlando on time, leaving Scotty with the younger children at Howie and Leah's and taking CJ with them. Leah rode with them; Howie stayed home because he wasn't ready for a public appearance quite yet.


They arrived at the hotel in time to change, go to the basement, get in a limo, and ride around the block to make the red carpet at the same hotel.


"This is insane." Lexie sighed as they sat at the end of the line of limos. "We're just sixteen floors up."


"I know." Nick laughed, "but this is the way it is. Before we go in, I have a birthday present for you."


"At least Mom and CJ got to just take the elevator down to the ballroom." She moaned, laying her hand on her forehead. "What did you get me? I'm not taking off these pearls you gave me on our romantic weekend."


"I wouldn't hear of it." He smiled, took her hand and held it, palm up. He dropped a house key in her hand.


"Oh. Uh, Nick, I have a house key." She mused as she turned it over to in her hand.


"Not to a house in the Keys."


"Oh. . . my. . ."


"I haven't actually seen it or actually even signed for it, but I'm hoping you can go there next week and see if you like it. If you do, it's yours." He smiled. "Happy birthday, baby." He leaned over and kissed her.


"Oh my God, Nick! This is wonderful!" She threw her arms around his neck. "Where is it? Oh, God, it is on the beach? You haven't seen it at all?"


"Nope, but here's a printout on it." He pulled a wrinkled piece of paper out of his pocket and handed it to her. "It's small, just three bedrooms, but it's right on the beach. Of course."


"Oh, how cute is that?!" She smiled at the bungalow.


"I just didn't have time to get down there myself, and it was the only thing I could think of. I mean, you already have a car and diamonds and. . ."


"Oh, no, this is perfect."


"Go see it before you say you really want it. We can spend the weekend there when I get back."


"Oh, God, that's right, you're leaving." She looked sad as she laid her palm against his cheek.


"I don't want to." He sighed, sounding just as sad as she looked.


"Liar." She slapped his thigh. "You know you want to go sing." She teased him.


"I do, but I want you to come with me." He sighed as they finally pulled up in front of the hotel.


Lexie dropped the key back into his pocket as the car's door opened. Nick stepped out to the flashes of light and shrieks of fans. He waved a few times, then reached back and helped Lexie from the car. The flashes blinded them both as they made their way through several quick interviews, photo ops and then into the hotel lobby.


"Good God, I had no idea it was going to be like that!" Nick laughed, obviously in good cheer.


"Looks pretty good, doesn't it?" AJ congratulated him as they met in the hall on the way to the party.


"Feels pretty good." Nick beamed.


"How are you doing?" AJ scowled at her. "You look pale." He said to Lexie.


"Oh, no." She shook her head and smiled. "I'm fine."


CJ, Leah, Kevin, Brian, and other family and friends waited just on the inside with numerous fans and music execs. The couple worked the room, ate a little here and there until it was time for Nick to perform three songs from the album.


His performances were stunning, with his last song being Happy Birthday to Lexie as he pulled her on stage. They wheeled up a cake and she blew out the candles in front of everyone. Everyone marveled at how happy Nick and Lexie looked together and so few knew what they had actually been through recently.


"Don't they look wonderful?" Leah leaned over and told AJ.


"They look very happy. Must have had a turn around."


"You think?" Leah elbowed him. "I think Nick is going to do fantastic with this new album." Leah continued to cheer with the crowd as Nick and Lexie stepped off stage and into the crowd.


AJ smiled, slipped an arm around her shoulders and put a small kiss on her temple. Leah looked over at him and his usually hard eyes looked so soft. Soft for the love his daughter, no doubt.


"You'll have a turn around, too. I promise." She winked at him.


"If you say so, then it must be true." He agreed.


The night was long and exhausting. Lexie finally had a chance to sit down at their table and stare at the album cover stung up around the huge room. She nibbled on some food her mother had put together for her.


Nick's album cover had turned out better than she had hoped. He was sitting on concrete stairs of a demolished building, wearing jeans, old work boots and a plain black T-shirt. No doubt, they couldn't talk him into a white T-shirt, but the black looked good against all of the natural gray around him. His face was turned in a profile and his long ponytail was tied off down his back where it couldn't be seen. In most of the promotional photos, you couldn't see it, no doubt because Howie had been asking him to cut his hair. He had refused. Lexie smiled. Even tonight, it was plaited as flat as they could it get it so it would stay out of the way.


"Relaxing?" Brian smiled as he sat next to her.


"Yes, finally." She smiled back as she continued to munch. "I'm starved."


"Well, you're absolutely glowing." He said as she choked on her next bite. He patted her back until her coughing calmed down. "Are you okay?"


"Just swallowed wrong."


"Good, Lord." He chuckled. "I'm bet you're glad it's finally out."


"Yes, I am. Although he leaves tomorrow morning."


"Oh, he'll be back. By the look on his face tonight, I doubt he could ever stay away too long." Brian winked.



"What a great night!" Lexie threw her shawl on a chair as they entered their suite. Luckily, they didn't have to get back into a limo to enter the back of the building. Leah took CJ back to the house with her.


Nick let out a hoop and a holler, sweeping her up into his arms, twirling her around. He set her down and kissed her deeply.


"It was perfect, baby. Absolutely fucking perfect." He beamed. "This album is going to kick ass!"


"That's what the reviews are saying so far." She laughed as he let go of her to kick off his shoes.


"The only thing left to do is make perfectly sweet and delirious love to you and today will be perfect." He smiled at her with a wink.


"Well, well, Mr. Carter. I don't think I'm that kind of girl." She teased him back as she kicked off her own shoes.


He laid himself out on a settee, letting his beautiful eyes sweep her body, "You know how many girls would love to be in my hotel room right now?"


"Well, Nick, I'm just not some girl." She put her hands on her hips.


"You know how many girls would kill to be you right now?"


"Counting the ones still outside the hotel?" Lexie joked as she poked a thumb at their window.


"There is no one still here." He chuckled as he got to his feet to remove his jacket and tie.


"Uh, yes, there are still fans outside."


"No way." Nick laughed as he threw open window to poke out his head. "Holy shit!" He waved to them and distantly they could hear the squeals. He closed the window and smiled, "That's just nuts."


"Let's go see them." Lexie laughed as she began tossing his shoes toward him. She bent over and slipped her own shoes on.


"Now, you're nuts." He laughed as he put his shoes on, too.


"Sure, but let's go!" She was swinging out the door and running happily down the hall to the elevator, slapping the buttons. With a roar of laughter, he followed her.

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9869