Ten Things by Carter-Orange
Summary:

 

Photobucket

Meet Steph, she's just turned 25 and thinks she's suffering a quarter-century crisis!  Everyone around her seems to have life all figured out and she feels left behind.  After a drunken night out, she comes up with a list of things she'd like to do...before she's 30!


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Brian, Group, Howie, Kevin, Nick, Other
Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 49 Completed: Yes Word count: 72630 Read: 98031 Published: 11/17/09 Updated: 08/23/10
Chapter 5 by Carter-Orange
Author's Notes:
Thanks for reading, there'll be a BSB appearance soon, along with a couple of members of Take That and maybe some more famous people along the way!

Chapter 5 

A couple of days later and the money was all mine.  I’d had to go and do it all officially and was even offered financial guidance, which I turned down.  I didn’t need anyone telling me how to spend money, I could think of plenty of ways to spend it myself!  It suddenly felt real, I was officially a millionaire and seeing that huge balance in my bank account put the biggest smile on my face. 

I still hadn’t told anyone about it, I was waiting for it to be some kind of sick joke, but of course it wasn’t. 

I knew I had to do something extravagant to celebrate my win, but what?  I’d never had a lot of money before, just enough to get by with a few treats.  I sat down at my laptop and googled ways to celebrate. 

“A trip to Vegas” I said with a smile on my face, now that would be extravagant!  It looked perfect and even offered the chance to tick a couple more items off my list – scary rides and blow a fortune in a single night, woohoo! 

I met up with Izzy, Chloe and Jess later that day and could hardly contain my excitement.  They were bound to notice. 

“Come on Steph, what’s going on, you’re acting strange” asked Chloe almost immediately. 

“Erm, I quit my job” I said, a smile spreading across my face. 

“You what?  Steph, are you insane or something?  What are you going to do?” asked Chloe, who obviously thought I was nuts. 

“Not insane at all” I laughed “as for what I’m going to do, hmm, I have no idea.  What do lottery winners do?” 

“Oh my god Steph!” came three surprised voices. 

“When?” 

“How much?” 

“Lucky cow”  

They were some of the responses being thrown around the room. 

“I’m sorry I didn’t say anything before now, but I was waiting for it to just be a hoax or something” I shrugged “it would be just my luck”

 I really didn’t want to tell them exactly how much, so I just said I’d won enough to keep me going for a while.  That was sufficient information.  The less people knew, the better.  I’d heard stories of how lottery winners had had their lives turned to misery through money, of course, these stories were rare, but still, I didn’t want to be one of those stories. 

“So, I was wondering if you’re all up for an all expenses trip to Las Vegas?” I asked casually. 

“We can’t let you do that Steph” said Izzy “can we girls?” 

“Yes you can, I insist” I said, silencing anymore protests “what good is money if I can’t take my three best friends on a well deserved holiday” 

We all started screaming and jumping around like loonies. 

“Oh, Jess, will you be OK to fly?” I asked.  I knew there were certain times in pregnancy when it wasn’t safe to do so, and hoped that she would be OK. 

“Yeah, I’m over the three months, so it’s fine.  Are you sure?” she asked, still looking at me like I’d gone senile. 

“Of course.  Now, how soon can you all go?” I asked. 

After our little get together, I made all the arrangements over the internet, researching where to stay and what to do once we were there.  We were going to be staying at The Bellagio, it was epitome of luxury according to the website.  I hadn’t told the girls where we were staying, I wanted it to be a surprise and couldn’t wait to see their faces when we pulled up outside the stunning looking hotel. 

Two weeks later and laden down with bags, we checked in at Heathrow Airport and then made our way to the departure lounge to wait for our flight to be called.  We were going to be spending three nights in Vegas and were all really excited. 

“When are you going to tell us where we’re staying?” Izzy teased 

“When we get there” I replied, trying to keep a straight face.  They’d been nagging me for days, but I wasn’t going to crack under the pressure.  I wanted to do something nice for them, they deserved it. 

Eventually it was time to board our flight, I’d booked first class so we could start the holiday in luxury and as we meant to go on. 

“Wow!” we all said as we stared open mouthed at the first class section.  It was nothing like we were used to.  We were used to being crammed into seats with very little leg room and crappy inedible food.  But first class was a whole new experience, with comfortable chairs, quality food and being treated like royalty, it was a good start to the holiday. 

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9934