Come Undone by Carter-Orange
Summary: What if things happened a little differently in Twilight?
Categories: Fanfiction > Movies > Twilight Characters: Alice Cullen, Bella Swan, Edward Cullen, Emmett Cullen, Jasper Hale, Rosalie Hale
Genres: Drama
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2104 Read: 875 Published: 11/28/09 Updated: 11/28/09
Story Notes:

This is a challenge story I wrote for another site, so it's only a short story. 

All characters belong to Stephenie Meyer, I just altered the story a little and wanted the chance to write about the beautiful Edward Cullen :)

1. Chapter 1 by Carter-Orange

Chapter 1 by Carter-Orange
Author's Notes:
Hope you enjoy
Stepping out of the car into the crowded parking lot, I could hear the excited thoughts in the student’s minds. Ah yes, today was the day that the new girl Isabella Swan was starting here at Forks High. Not that I cared one little bit, what was she after all but another human, another mind I didn’t want to hear.

I’d heard her name in their thoughts all morning; I’d even seen her face in the minds of some of the students. The boys were all wondering how they could get her to be their next girlfriend and the girls were wondering if she’d be their friend. These humans were so predictable, not an original thought in their heads, I tried even harder to tune them out.


And now here, in the school cafeteria, it was going to take a lot more effort to try and block them out, so many people in one place, so many thoughts. I walked over to the table where my siblings were sitting, walking past the new girl who was sat with Jessica Stanley and Mike Newton.

“Who’s he?” I heard an unfamiliar voice once I was seated with Alice, Jasper, Emmett and Rosalie with my tray of food (which of course was just a prop as I don’t eat). I realised it must be the new girl - Bella as she’d introduced herself to everyone - asking Jessica about one of us.

“As if he’d take any notice of you when he wouldn’t give me the time of day, you aren’t even pretty” I recognised that ‘voice’ instantly. Jessica Stanley. It had taken Jessica a long time to realise that her infatuation with me was never going to go anywhere.

So the new girl Bella was asking about me. Strange how I couldn’t hear her thoughts, maybe she was as brainless as some of the kids in this school. But even then, I could always pick up something; there wasn’t a mind that I couldn’t read. I turned to look at her and caught her looking at me. She quickly turned away, blushing, but still I couldn’t hear anything from her. It was most frustrating. I carried on looking at her, hoping that her mind would open up to me.

“That’s Edward Cullen, totally gorgeous but don’t waste your time, I think he’s gay” Jessica replied, loud enough that my brothers and sisters heard, causing them to laugh out loud.

“Oh right” Bella said and glanced at me again. Our eyes met and held for a few moments before she looked away again. What was it about this girl?

“So, what does the new girl think of us, we know she thinks you’re gay, but what about the rest of us” Emmett asked.

“I have no idea” I said shaking my head in disbelief.

“You can’t hear her?” Alice asked.

“No…nothing” I replied “maybe she just isn’t thinking”. That had to be it.

The bell sounded then for the next lesson and we dumped our uneaten food in the bin on the way out.

“See you later” I said to my siblings and headed towards Biology.

I sat at my lab bench and opened my text books ready. I didn’t have to even look at the book, but this was another prop in the human charade. I was very doubtful that the teacher could teach me something I didn’t already know, after all, I did have a couple of medical degrees.

I was leaning back in my chair, lost in my thoughts about the new girl Bella, trying to figure out how I was going to read her mind – and I was going to find a way of doing that – when the most mouth watering scent hit me. I looked up and saw her standing in front of the fan, her hair blowing in the wind.

I no longer cared about her thoughts. I no longer cared that I was in a room full of students. Nothing mattered but the sweet smell of her blood and how it would taste as it trickled down my burning throat. I’d not craved human blood for decades, but I knew that I had to have her, no doubt about it; she was going to be mine. But how? I couldn’t very well kill and drain her in front of a classroom full of students and a teacher. I held my breath and gripped the desk.

“You can do this Edward, think how disappointed Carlisle would be” I told myself as I tried to get my control back.

Oh hell, the only spare seat was next to me. She slowly walked towards me as I tried to control the monster within me. The fan stopped blowing her scent at me and I was able to get a gulp of fresh air and clear my head a little. I still wanted to kill her, but if I didn’t have to have that smell wafting at me, then I thought I could get through this lesson without having to resort to murder.

She sat down next to me and I moved as far away from her as I could. I didn’t speak to her; I didn’t dare look at her for fear of sinking my teeth into her neck. I just sat there chanting in my head “I’m not a monster”. She probably thought I was ignorant and rude, but it was that rudeness which was keeping her alive.

Before the bell even sounded, I’d gathered up my books ready for a quick exit. I had to get away from here. I was out of my seat the moment the bell went, knocking books flying in my rush to get out of there and away from Bella.

I ran to my car and sat there listening to some calming music for half an hour before I felt in control enough to venture back into school. I would not let the monster get the better of me. I’d not drunk human blood in decades and was not going to let one human girl ruin it for me. I was stronger than that.

As I’d missed half of my lesson, I decided it would be better to skip the other half. Big mistake. I spent the next half hour savouring the memory of that delicious smell. The venom began to flood my mouth and I gulped repeatedly. I wanted her so badly. But how was I going to get her?

“I could drag her off to the woods” I told myself. No one would ever find her there; I’d make sure of that.

No, I couldn’t do that. People would see me and then when she didn’t return, I’d have the police onto me and my family. I couldn’t do that to them.

“Maybe if I got used to her smell, I could live with it” I argued with myself. Yes, that seemed like a more agreeable answer. I would befriend her instead.

I walked back into school in time for my last lesson of the day, my control back intact and my plan of action in place.

“Thank god for that Edward, for a moment it wasn’t looking good” Alice said to me as we entered the classroom together.

“Do you see anything happening now?” I asked, hoping that everything was going to be OK. I didn’t want to ruin things for my family.

“As long as you stick to your current plan, then I don’t see any problems” she replied and I sighed with relief. Everything was going to be alright, Alice had foreseen it.

Final bell rang and we headed out to the parking lot to meet the others.

“I think I’m going to walk home” I said and threw my keys to Alice “after the day I’ve had, I need to just be by myself for a little while”

“Why, what happened Ed?” Emmett asked.

Jasper sent me some calming vibes, he must’ve felt my thirst earlier and I truly was ashamed of myself.

“Don’t worry about it bro, it could’ve happened to any of us and better that it was you. I wouldn’t have thought twice if I’d come across anything as intoxicating as that” Jasper said.

“What? What happened?” Emmett asked again.

“I nearly lost my control today” I told my siblings “but it won’t happen again”

I told them I’d talk to them all later and began walking at a slow human pace. I would have to talk to Carlisle about this later, but for now, I just wanted to be by myself.

I’d walked a couple of miles when I came across a red truck pulled in at the side of the road. Someone must’ve broken down; you didn’t just stop at the side of the road for nothing.

I fully intended walking straight on by…until I realised who it was in that truck.

Bella.

Damn it. You can resist. You can be strong. Remember who you are, you are not a monster.

“Hello” I said in my most charming voice “are you alright?”

“Um..hi” she replied shyly and blushed that beautiful shade of red that made the monster in me wanted to have his way with her there and then. I swallowed back the venom and regained control of myself.

“Can I help you at all?” I asked and then realised I should probably introduce myself “I’m Edward Cullen by the way, you must be Bella. I’m sorry if I appeared rude to you today in Biology, I had a headache and wasn’t myself”

“Oh, are you feeling OK now?” she asked, her voice full of concern.

“I think I’m OK now” I smiled at her and she smiled back.

“Do you know anything about cars?” she asked

“A little” I replied and leaned over to look at the engine. Next thing I knew, she was next to me, a gentle wind had picked up, and her scent had me in a trance. I didn’t think. The monster took hold of me and before I could rein him in, my teeth had pierced her delicate skin and her sweet blood was coating my throat and easing the burn.

“Arghhhh” she screamed and thrashed about, trying to free herself, but she was no match for my strength.

I felt my phone vibrating in my pocket but ignored it, I knew it was Alice, but I didn’t care. I couldn’t stop. I’d never tasted anything like this. I took my time, drinking as slowly as I could, savouring every drop.

“Edward!” Alice’s voice shouted from the distance and in an instant she, and the rest of my siblings, were trying to pry my mouth off Bella.

“Mine” I growled at them like the animal that I was and tried to beat them off.

“Calm down Edward…remember who you are. You’re better than this, you have to stop right now, you’re killing her” Alice pleaded.

“He may as well finish the job” Emmett said “shame to waste it unless he wants her to become one of us”

“Emmett!” Rosalie slapped at her husband in disgust.

“Just telling it like it is babe” Emmett shrugged.

“Edward stop! You have to stop right now before it’s too late” Alice pleaded again and I stopped when I caught glimpses of her mind.

“You can’t be serious?” I asked in disbelief. Surely her vision was wrong. How could it not be?

“You have to listen to me, look into my mind, you know I’m not lying…please Edward” she begged me and I held Bella in my arms and focused on Alice’s thoughts “you’re going to love her and she’s going to love you too…eventually” she thought at me rather say it out loud “and I’m going to love her too, we’re going to be sisters and the best of friends…please Edward”

The thought that this beautiful human girl could ever love me – a monster – was enough to bring me back to my senses completely. I began to cry, tearless sobs wracked my body as I thought about what I’d done to this poor girl. I’d ended her life because I couldn’t control myself…I was a selfish monster who didn’t deserve happiness or love or the right to live.

“Edward, she’ll be OK, I’ve seen. You are going to be so happy together” Alice thought to me and I pulled Bella a little closer, cradling her gently in my arms. Bella began to cry out in pain as the venom flowed through her veins, burning her alive, and all I could do was hold her and apologise over and over.

I’d lived a very long life and thought that love was beyond my grasp…that it was something I’d never experience for myself. I would do whatever it took to make Bella forgive me, and if by some miracle Alice was right about the future, then I would embrace it with open arms.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9940