Work It Out (working title. suggestions welcome) by SouthernCharmer
Summary: I suck at summaries but here's an overview of the characters:

• Main Characters: Marty Crowne, 21 years old, comes from a family with strong conservative values. She has been out of school for a few years, in limbo as to what she wants to do with her life.

• Amory Burke, 38, Marty’s best friend and mentor, down for a visit with Marty and a breather from her verbally abusive husband, wants to reevaluate her life and make some changes.

• Nick Carter, I’m pretty sure we all know who this is, if not, what the heck are you doing reading fan fiction about a guy you have no idea about? Lol.

• Backstreet Boys, again, I’m sure we all know who they are, and again, if not, what are you doing reading a fan fiction about them? Lol
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Nick, Other
Genres: Dramedy, Romance
Warnings: Domestic Violence, Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 1864 Read: 3236 Published: 12/01/09 Updated: 12/20/09

1. Chapter 1 by SouthernCharmer

2. Chapter 2 by SouthernCharmer

3. Chapter 3 by SouthernCharmer

4. Chapter 4- Part I by SouthernCharmer

Chapter 1 by SouthernCharmer
Author's Notes:
first chapter is kind of slow, but it gets better I promise!
Chapter 1

“You really need to go back to school and get a degree Marty. You’ve got to stop wasting your time talking to that awful friend of yours and make something of yourself.”

I was half listening to my dad go on and on and on, because I’d heard it over and over again “You really need to go back to school and get a degree Marty. You’ve got to stop wasting your time talking to that awful friend of yours and make something of yourself.”

I was half listening to my dad go on and on and on, because I’d heard it over and over again, ‘Marty do this, Marty do that, blah, blah, blah.’ It was always the same. My parents, who I still regretfully have to live with, are super uptight and super conservative. My not going back to college this fall doesn’t fall into their perfect plan for me, and they are giving me hell about it every chance they get.

When he realized that bitching at me was getting him nowhere he threw his hands up and stalked off. ‘FINALLY’ I thought ‘ I wish they’d just let me live my life and decide on my own terms what I want to do, but nooo it’s always, nag, nag, nag, nag, nag!’ I turned from looking after him and went up to my room to call Amory.

“Ams, I’m getting so sick of this! You know what, I just wish I could hop on a plane and take off to a place where nobody cares what you do or say. I can’t take this constant nagging anymore it’s making me crazy!”

Amory sighed, “Why DON’T you? If you’re going that crazy, I mean seriously. I tell ya what, I’ve finally got some overdue vacation time. Whatcha say me and you spend a week in Vegas? God knows I need to get away from that awful husband of mine. I can’t take much more of his crap or I’m going to go COMPLETELY crazy. He can keep the kids, after all I deserve a little time to myself for all the crap he puts me through. How ‘bout it?”

End Notes:
Reviews welcome!
Chapter 2 by SouthernCharmer
Chapter 2

“I can’t believe you convinced me to come all the way out here, Amory!”
She rolled her eyes at me and finished checking in so we could get unpacked and lounge by the pool.

“Amory! I don’t want to go down to the pool” I whined. “It’s late and I’m tired.”
“Marty, come on. We’ll go down and see if anything is going on. If nobody’s down there, we’ll come back up and hang out here.”

Groaning, I reluctantly agreed and grabbed my bathing suit.

When we got down to the pool area, we stopped in the changing room, slipped on our bathing suits and headed toward the hot tub. Upon entering the pool room, we heard loud commotion coming from the pool. Hell-bent on relaxing, I ignored it as best I could and slipped into the steamy hot tub.

“Ah, this feels fantastic!” I sighed leaning back against the wall of the hot tub, practically lying down on the seat that wrapped around the steamy oasis.

Amory sighed, “I’m so glad you convinced me to come with you. I needed this more than I realized.”

Smirking over at her from my perch on the opposite end of the hot tub, I said, “I know, I’m a genius! You can thank me later by helping me get toasted in the club downstairs.”

Amory rewarded my smartass response with a snort and a splash in the face.

Only a few minutes into our R&R session, the noise from the pool seemed to grow closer and closer. Just as I was about ready to get out of the hot tub and ream whoever was interrupting my peacefulness a new one, I saw a tall lanky blonde coming full speed at me running from a shorter, but equally lanky man. Before I could say anything to make him aware of my presence, I felt him knock into me with brute force, and then everything went black.

What felt like minutes later, I slowly opened my eyes, at first seeing everything all as one big blur. When everything finally came into focus, I was suddenly all too aware of a pair of beautiful blue eyes staring into mine with concern and I felt the urge to run my hand along the cheek of the face of their owner and wipe away the worry I could see all too well in his face.

“What happened?” I asked after a moment more of silence.

Exhaling the breath he had been holding, ‘Blue Eyes’ smiled down at me with apparent relief shown upon his beautiful face. “I am so sorry. I was goofing around with my friend over there and didn’t see you when I ran to catch the ball. How can I ever make it up to you?”

I suddenly became all too aware of my unfamiliar surroundings and sat up in a panic. “Oh no you don’t!” I heard Amory’s voice rise as a hand, I assumed hers, pushed me back into a lying position on what I’d figured was a bed.

I smiled at the tone of voice I knew so well. She used it all too often in our phone conversations over the years when I’d get so fed up with everything that I just wanted to make a hasty get away from it all with.

“Would someone KINDLY tell me what is going on here and why I am in a stranger’s hotel room?!” I looked at Amory for an explanation.

‘Blue Eyes’ whose name I still did not know took it upon himself to answer. “My friend and I are in town for a concert. We were goofing off and I didn’t see you behind me. I’m so sorry.”

Upon hearing the words “Here for a concert,” I took a closer look at ‘Mr. Blue Eyes’ and gasped.
End Notes:
R&R!! I love feedback!
Chapter 3 by SouthernCharmer
Chapter 3

Covering my face in total embarrassment, I groaned, “Just great! How did I know something like this was going to happen?!” Hearing a giggle, I looked over and glared at Amory, who is trying to hold back laughter at this point; all the while, with a knowing grin on her face.

Looking back and forth between the girls, ‘Blue Eyes’, who at this point was totally clueless as to the situation at hand, speaks up, “Would someone KINDLY tell me what’s going on here?” I rolled my eyes and said, “Well, I was going to keep this a secret, but, we’re here for the concert. It was going to be a surprise for Amory’s birthday.”

Ames looked surprised at me and after a couple seconds, lunged herself onto the bed, smothering me. “I should have known! You little sneak!” I snickered and said, “Oh yeah, who’s the master?” Sudden laughter got our attention away from the conversation.

“I’m glad you find this so amusing.” Amory said when she glanced over at Nick trying to hold back laughter.

Holding his hands up in defense of himself, Nick said, “I just find it strange that you two aren’t freaking out over us like other fans would have normally done by now. I’m actually quite impressed.”

I rolled my eyes at his apparent cockiness and dryly said, “Well believe it or not Mister Carter, not EVERYONE falls all over you these days. It’s not exactly the Millennium days anymore.”

Stunned at my own sudden outburst I sat up and said, “I’m so sorry. That was totally uncalled for. I should be thankful that you didn’t just leave me to drown. I didn’t mean that.”

With a sad look on his face, Nick said, “Sadly, you’re right. I’m sorry I laughed; it’s just that it’s not every day we don’t have people freaking out over us so it’s kind of refreshing actually. That’s all I was trying to say.”

I reached over and touched his arm gently saying, “I realize that now. It’s been a rough day and I just overreacted. I’m sorry. Let’s start over. I’m Marty, and you are?”

Smiling his beautiful smile he reached for my hand and said, “Nice to meet you Marty. I’m Nick.”
Chapter 4- Part I by SouthernCharmer
Author's Notes:
I know this chapter is a bit slow. I'm breaking it up into 2 parts. I hope to have the next part up either later today or sometime tomorrow. It's super busy around here with the holidays upon us. I hope you like it!
Chapter 4


Getting ready for the concert that night was quite an experience. The boys had invited us to meet them backstage before everything got started, as sort of chance to get to know us a bit better and we were running around like chickens with our heads cut off trying to get the perfect outfits together. I wanted everything to be perfect so Amory would have a birthday she would never forget.

“I can’t find my red sweater! The one with the shimmery fabric.” I said as I ran around frantically searching my suitcases. At this point clothes were thrown everywhere and I still couldn’t find a thing to wear. I was at my wit’s end.


As if I wasn’t stressed enough already, a knock on the door broke my concentration and I stalked over to the door ready to chew whoever had picked this oh so appropriate time to interrupt. Opening the door I was about to give whoever it was, the what for when I made eye contact with a broad chest in my face. Glancing up, I blushed at Nick, who had 2 lariats dangling from his hand attached to passes the proudly announced ALL ACCESS on the front.


“Nick what are you doing here? I figured you’d already be at soundcheck by now.”
“Well you two lovely ladies wouldn’t be able to get backstage without these passes so I figured I’d personally drop them off before I had to get going.” He said, smiling his megawatt smile.


Taking the passes from him, I said, “I’m glad it was you. I was about to give someone the what for, for interrupting my search for something to wear tonight.”


“Well I’ve got to run. I’m late as it is and I don’t want to get my head chewed off before the big show.”


Waving goodbye as he walked toward the elevator, I sighed dreamily. Once he was out of sight, I shut the door and glanced at the passes in my hands, again, sighing to myself wondering how I had gotten so lucky to have scored reservations at the hotel where my idol was staying, let alone, have met him, albeit in a very awkward situation, but nonetheless; and scored backstage passes at that.


Suddenly behind me I heard a mocking sigh and turned to see Amory mock swooning and saying, “Oh Nick! Take me, have your way with me now!” Smacking her with the passes I got back to my search for my sweater.
End Notes:
Read and Review! As I said, I know this is a slow chapter, but I'm breaking it up into 2 parts so bear with me.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9941