Losing The Ones You Love by darkknight1213
Summary: Nick Richardson has been married to his husband, Kevin Richardson, for three years now. Something devastating happens and Nick and his younger brother, Aaron Carter, are left to deal with the news. How will they cope with their parents and three sisters being gone? How will Kevin cope with Nick being ill?
Categories: Fanfiction > Music > Aaron Carter, Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Brian, Howie, Kevin, Nick, Other
Genres: Angst, Drama, Horror, Romance
Warnings: Death, Graphic Violence, Sexual Assault/Rape, Slash M/M, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 17091 Read: 29085 Published: 01/14/10 Updated: 03/07/10
Story Notes:
This story contains Male pregnancy. If you don't like it, then don't read it.

1. Something's Going To Happen by darkknight1213

2. The Next Morning by darkknight1213

3. Why Is This Happening? by darkknight1213

4. What's Going To Happen? by darkknight1213

5. A Month Later by darkknight1213

6. Nick Wakes Up by darkknight1213

7. The Next Day by darkknight1213

8. Nick, Abigail, and Evelyn Go Home by darkknight1213

9. Support From The Fans by darkknight1213

10. Kevin and Nick Take Their Daughters Out by darkknight1213

Something's Going To Happen by darkknight1213
Nickolas Gene Richardson nee Carter was at Los Angeles International Airport in the evening on Monday, September 10, 2001. He was flying back home to his husband, fellow Backstreet Boy Kevin Scott Richardson. Nick had gone to California to meet with his brother, Aaron Charles Carter, and spend some quality time together for a few weeks. Nick was seven months pregnant with twin girls that Kevin and he decided to name Abigail Leah Richardson and Evelyn Marie Richardson. Since Nick told his brother that he was going to be an uncle, Aaron made sure to keep in contact with him mostly every other day and tell him to rest. Nick laughed when he told Kevin about that.

When his flight was called, he stood up from his seat and walked over to the gate. Nick boarded the plane once his ticket and boarding pass were scanned by the ticket clerk. He found his seat and was glad that it was at the front. He had told the airline that he needed to be accommodated since he was pregnant and he was glad that they did it for him. He placed his two shoulder bags into the overhead compartment and closed the door. He sat down in his seat and buckled in.

After fastening the seat belt, Nick sighed and sat back in his seat. He was itching to return to Florida and back into his husband's arms. He closed his eyes and remembered the day Kevin and he were married three years ago. Alexander James Dorough nee McLean, Alex or AJ to everyone, had joked that he was Kevin's 'wife' now since he did most of the cooking and cleaning.

Nick smiled at the memory of the wedding ceremony. He had been so nervous about marrying Kevin. At first, he never thought he was good enough for the older man and his parents knew about his insecurities. He still couldn't believe that he married Kevin at only eighteen years old and they had been together since he was fifteen and Kevin was twenty-two. Robert and Lisa Carter knew that their son was in love with Kevin and let the two men date. Nick had been excited when his parents accepted the relationship and let him be with Kevin. A year and a half later, Kevin proposed and Nick accepted it. They married on Valentine's Day and were blissfully happy.

A few minutes later, the door was sealed and the stewardesses were strapping themselves in their seats. The captain of the airplane came onto the intercom. "Hello and welcome to Delta Airlines flight 2345. This is your captain speaking. Please have all electronic devices off and enjoy your flight," the captain replied. The airplane started down the runway and Nick was already sleeping soundly. The airplane lifted up from the ground and rose into the air until the maximum altitude was reached.

Three Hours Later
Nick opened his eyes and realized that they were flying over Florida. He had slept through the entire flight and couldn't wait to be in his husband's arms once again. He loved feeling Kevin's hands on his stomach as they cuddled on the couch together. The captain came onto the intercom and replied, “Attention passengers, we have arrived at Miami International Airport. Please be sure to stay secured and keep all electronic devices off. Thank you and hope you all enjoyed the flight.”

Nick smiled and watched as the plane touched down on the runway. When the sign flashed for taking off seat belts, Nick unhooked his and stood up from the seat. He opened the overhead compartment and grabbed his two carry-ons. He slipped one over his body and he placed the other bag on his shoulder. He was glad to be back home and he had a feeling that something was going to happen tomorrow. He had called Kevin and told him that he was coming home in the evening instead of the morning. Kevin told him that it was alright coming home in the evening since he needed rest.

He exited the plane and headed down the ramp that would take him back into the terminal. He was glad to be back in Florida. Brian and Leighanne Littrell wanted to take him out to lunch tomorrow and he agreed to let the couple take him out. He sighed and rubbed at his stomach. The weird feeling was still there and he didn't know if it was going to go away anytime soon. As soon as he walked through the gate, he saw his husband standing at Baggage Claim and started walking towards the older man. “Hey Kevin,” Nick called out as he was waving his hand.

Kevin looked up and saw his beautiful, young husband making his way over. He met Nick halfway and pulled him into his arms. “God, it's so good to have you back in my arms, Nicky. I love you so much. It's been hectic for the last three weeks that you weren't here. I hated waking up without you by my side. I had "Nick Withdrawals" as Brian put it simply," Kevin replied and inhaled the natural scent of vanilla and cinnamon that Nick carried around all the time. He missed the younger man like something else and he always loved to rub his husband's stomach.

Nick smiled and leaned up to kiss the older man on the lips. Nick wrapped his arms around Kevin's neck loosely as he kissed him. Kevin tightened his hold on Nick's waist and pulled him a little closer. The couple ended the kiss and smiled at each other. The weird feeling Nick was still having was starting to grow. "Kevin, while I was in California hanging out with Aaron, this feeling rushed over me and it hasn't gone away yet. Something's going to happen tomorrow. I can just feel it around me," Nick replied and rested his head on Kevin's chest.

Kevin knew that Nick was more aware of things happening and he had experienced the same feeling. "I know what you mean, baby. I've been feeling like something is going to happen as well. It scares me that this feeling we're both having will become reality. Let's not think about it for right now. Let's get you home into a nice, relaxing bath and then bed," Kevin replied and kept an arm around Nick's waist as they walked back to the loading zone where he parked the black Land Rover.

As the couple was walking, Nick was thinking about what to get his parents for their wedding anniversary. Robert and Lisa Carter had been married for twenty-one years and Nick wanted to be like them with Kevin. They made it through the honeymoon phase and had been married for three years now. When they got to the car, Kevin took Nick's bags from him and shooed him to the passenger's seat. Nick smiled and got into the truck. Kevin got in a few minutes later and started the engine. He pulled away from the curb and headed away from the airport. Both men still had that feeling, but they chose to ignore it for a while. Eventually, something was going to happen and they weren't going to like it.
The Next Morning by darkknight1213
Nick had woken up and looked up at his husband. Kevin was still sleeping and had his arms around Nick's waist. The young man carefully extricated himself from the older man's arms. Nick eased himself up from the bed and grabbed his robe. He slipped it on and stepped into his slippers. He looked at the time and noticed that it was 8:10AM. Kevin and he had talked and then made love a few times throughout the night. Nick missed the lovemaking sessions and was glad that Kevin and he were able to reconnect with each other sexually and physically. He walked out of the bedroom and headed downstairs to the kitchen.

When Nick arrived downstairs, he went to go turn the television on. He grabbed the remote and hit the power button. When he was about to go into the kitchen, the phone rang and he frowned at it. He wondered who was calling. He looked at the caller ID and saw that it was his father. He frowned slightly and wondered what was going on. He hit the Talk button and replied, "Hello." He remembered that his parents and sisters were flying back from Boston to Los Angeles. They had gone there for a convention that was a part of Robert's company.

Robert Carter held the phone in his hand tightly and looked over at his wife and three daughters and knew that they were scared at what was about to happen. He sighed, knowing that his eldest son was about to be devastated with the news. "Nick, your mother, sisters and I are on Flight 11 right now. We won't be heading to Los Angeles like we wanted to. Our flight has been taken over by terrorists, Nicky. They're going to crash the plane into the World Trade Center," Robert replied and looked over at Lisa, Bobbie Jean, Angel, and Leslie. All of them had tears streaming down their faces and he joined them in crying. "Nick, are you there?" He asked.

Robert waited for his pregnant son to answer. The silence from Nick was overwhelming his senses. Finally, he heard sobs, heart-wrenching sobs that broke his own heart. He knew that this would devastate Nick and he was right. "Nick, please don't cry. I-I know you're u-upset, but you must remain strong for me, your mother and your sisters," Robert replied. The older man listened to his son trying to relax and calm down, but he was still sobbing harshly. Lisa knew that Nick was upset as well and heard his broken sobs coming through the phone since Robert had hit the speaker button.

On the other side of the phone, Nick was sobbing brokenheartedly. He couldn't believe that his family's flight had been hijacked. He was on the floor crying brokenly and didn't notice Kevin walking into the living room. He didn't turn around until he felt strong arms wrap around him and pull him up from the ground. "Nick, what's wrong? What's happening?" Kevin asked. Nick pointed at the phone and Kevin picked it up. He noticed that Nick's father was on the line. "Robert, it's Kevin. What's going on?" He asked.

Robert choked up when he heard Kevin's worried voice and Nick's broken sobbing. "Kevin, the plane that Lisa, Angel, Bobbie Jean, Leslie and I are on has been hijacked and we're not going to make it to LAX like we planned to. T-The terrorists are going to crash the airplane into the World Trade Center. Kevin, promise me that you'll watch over Nick and Aaron for me please. Both of them need you more than ever since we're not going to be there anymore," he replied and finally gave into the sobs that he had been holding back for the sake of his family. He wasn't going to be able to see his youngest son get married and become a father. He wasn't going to be there to see Nick give birth to his first grandchildren.

Kevin blinked for a few minutes and looked down at his sobbing husband. He knew that Nick was completely heartbroken hearing that his parents and sisters weren't going to make it home alive. "I understand, Robert. I'll watch over Nick and Aaron. You have my word," Kevin replied and hugged the young man closer to his body. Kevin was devastated that his in-laws weren't going to make it home alive.

Thirty Minutes Later
Brian and Leighanne Littrell had shown up at the house. They were surprised to find a sobbing Nick Richardson in his husband's arms. The couple wondered what was going on and they saw the television was on. They wondered what was going on since they were talking about the World Trade Center. Kevin managed to get Nick to speak to his parents and sisters before the young man broke down into his arms. Kevin looked up at his cousin and replied, "The flight Nick's parents and sisters are on has been hijacked. The terrorists are going to kill all the passengers aboard." Brian and Leighanne stared at one another and then wrapped their arms around Nick as well.

The two couples turned to look at the screen and Nick knew that the plane headed straight for the North Tower was the plane that his family was on. At approximately 8:46AM, the first plane hit the North Tower head-on and a large fireball erupted from the impact. Kevin, Brian, and Leighanne knew that no one on the flight survived. They looked at each other and wondered what was going to happen next.

The phone slipped from Nick's hand and he started to shake horribly. "No! Oh God! NO! MOM, DAD! Why did this happen?! Why, why, why?! BJ, Les, Angel! They're all gone!" Nick screamed out and started to slide to the floor. Kevin, Brian and Leighanne caught Nick in their arms and cried along with him. The loud wrenching sound could be heard from the television and the phone Nick dropped clearly. The scraping of metal on metal was heard as well.

Nick broke down completely and cried harshly into Kevin's shoulder. He couldn't believe that his family was gone in an instant. He reached for the phone and held it to Brian. "C-Call A-Aaron and a-ask h-him if he s-saw w-what happened, B-Brian. I-I c-can't do it," Nick sobbed out. Brian nodded and started to dial Aaron's cell number. He hoped that Nick and Aaron would be alright after losing their parents and sisters. Granted, it would be a while before they felt completely normal and able to move on past the painful blows their hearts had taken.

Brian finally heard Aaron's voice and knew that he saw the whole thing happen. "H-Hi, Brian. I-I s-saw everything. I-I can't believe that my parents and sisters are gone now. That sound of the plane hitting is something that I don't want to be reminded of. I-Is Nick alright?" Aaron asked hoarsely and sniffed loudly. He was worried about Nick since he was pregnant and stress could cause him to go into premature labor.

Brian knew that Nick and Aaron needed each other more than ever now. "Nick is devastated, Aaron. He listened to everyone on the airplane screaming through your father's phone before it shut off completely. He's not in good shape at all. We also haven't heard any word of the other flights yet and where they're headed at. I'll see if there is any way to get you down here. I'll ask our manager if he can fly out where to pick you up and bring you down here when everything is cleared up. Nick needs you here, Aaron. You two are the last members of the Carter immediate family," Brian said softly.

On the other side of the phone, Aaron Carter was still staring at the television screen while talking to Brian. The scraping of metal on metal was horrendous and he shook with fear and heartache. "Y-Yea, I h-hear you, Brian. I-I'm s-so scared of what is happening now. Why is this occurring right now? What did the country do to deserve this?" Aaron questioned his brother's best friend.

Brian swallowed and replied, "I don't know why this is happening, Aaron. All I can say is that things happen for a reason and no one can explain it. I'll call you back when I figure out how to get you down here. Talk to you later, Aaron." Brian ended the call and looked up at Kevin. He knew that the older man hated seeing his husband so heartbroken and lost. Brian walked over to Kevin and Nick to see what he could do.

Kevin smiled weakly at his cousin as he approached them. Brian looked up into his cousin's green eyes and saw the sadness and pain in them. He replied, "I'll take care of Nick. Go and get Alex and Howie so they can stay here with Nick. All of us need to be together right now." Kevin nodded and kissed Nick on the forehead softly before grabbing his keys and heading out of the door. Nick wrapped his arms around Brian's neck tightly and continued to cry. Leighanne walked over to the two embracing men and ran her hand up and down Nick's back softly, offering comfort and protection. Brian looked at his wife and smiled softly. The couple knew that Nick and Aaron would need someone to look after them and they were going to be there for the two brothers.
Why Is This Happening? by darkknight1213
Kevin had arrived at Howie and Alex's house. He pulled into the driveway and turned the engine off. He sat there for a minute collecting himself and brushing away the tears that were falling from his eyes. His husband was in so much pain; he was at a complete lost on how to help Nick get through the pain he was experiencing. Nick was also dealing with his heart condition. He was even taking medication to get him through the day. He pulled his keys from the ignition and got out of the Land Rover. He closed the door and locked the truck before walking to the front door. When he reached the front door, he reached up a hand and knocked on it. He waited for the door to open.

When it did, he was met with a puffy-eyed Alex Dorough. "I-I saw the news, Kevin. All those people on that plane are dead and never coming back. I-It doesn't make any sense that innocent people had to die because of terrorists and their fucked-up minds. T-This isn't right at all, Train. This shouldn't have never happened. Oh god, that noise of the airplane hitting the North Tower was so loud and clear. Nick's family was on that plane. I remembered him telling me that they were flying back to California today. I-I can't believe they're gone. Why is this happening, Kevin?" Alex asked roughly.

Kevin shrugged his shoulders softly and walked through the door. Alex closed the door behind them and followed Kevin into the living room. Kevin saw Howie staring at the screen and saw another plane coming towards the South Tower. The plane went straight through it like a hangar had been carved out of the side for it to land in. "Oh my god!" Kevin exclaimed and turned to look at the couple. Alex were just staring at the screen with wide, horrified eyes. He was holding his one-year-old daughter, Caroline Leanne Dorough, close to his chest. Howie moved closer to his husband and his daughter as he wrapped his arms around them. He held them in a protective embrace, as to shield them from the world of hurt and pain.

Kevin then remembered something and his green eyes went wide with fright and worry. "Oh my god, Daniel! Daniel was on American Airlines flight 175. He was flying back to California to meet up with his wife who's having their second child by Cesarean," Kevin said. Alex and Howie turned to look up at Kevin and they knew that they would have to call Daniel's wife and see how she was coping with everything. Kevin heard his cell phone vibrating against his waist and he pulled it from the clip. He saw that it was Leighanne. "Hello," he replied hoarsely, hearing his husband in the background. He didn't know what to do for the love of his life. It was so painful hearing Nick sob brokenly and his own heart broke at the sounds. He wanted Nick to be happy once again, but knew that it would take time.

On the other side of the phone, Leighanne was still watching her husband trying to comfort a devastated and heartbroken Nick Richardson. "Kevin, I know you saw the second plane hit the tower. Brian told me that one of your crew members was on the plane that hit the South Tower. Nick is in really bad shape, Kev. He's been crying nonstop and shaking like crazy. You, Alex, and Howie need to get back to the house as soon as possible. Nick isn't calming down and Brian doesn't know what to do right now. I even felt his heart palpitating fiercely," Leighanne replied, crying herself. Nick was like family to her since he married Kevin.

Kevin sighed and looked at the Doroughs. He then replied, "I'll be there as soon as I can, Leighanne. Thanks for calling me and letting me know how Nick is still feeling. I'll see you in a little bit. Make Nick take his medication please." Kevin ended the call and clipped the phone back onto his waist. He ran a hand over his weary face and wondered what was going to happen now. "Guys," Kevin murmured. Howie and Alex turned to face Kevin and wondered what he was going to say. "We should get back to the house. Nick isn't himself right now and he needs me back there. We should head out now," he said. Howie and Alex nodded their heads and went to go pack some clothes for their stay at Kevin and Nick's house.

About ten minutes later, they came back downstairs with two overnight bags for the both of them and their daughter was in her car seat sleeping finally. Kevin smiled weakly at the couple and together they walked out of the house. Kevin unlocked the doors for the couple so one of them could ride in the back seat. Howie looked at his husband and saw the sadness in the deep chocolate brown eyes that he loved so much. He also noticed the younger man's hands were shaking violently. "Alex, let me fix the car seat. Get into the truck and put your seat belt on," Howie replied and kissed Alex on the lips softly. Alex nodded his head and walked over to the other side of the truck. He got into the back seat and strapped himself in.

Howie finished securing Caroline in the back and closed the door. Alex made sure to tighten the seat belt a little more and then was satisfied. Howie and Kevin got into the truck and strapped themselves in as well. Kevin turned the engine on and started to back out of the driveway. He stopped at the edge of the driveway and made sure that no one was coming their way. When Kevin didn't see any car, he backed out completely and turned around to drive down the street back to the house. 'Nick, I hope you and Aaron are able to get through this,' Kevin thought to himself as he drove down the streets.

Kevin and Nick's House
Brian and Leighanne had finally gotten Nick to calm down from all the crying that he had done for the last thirty minutes and was even able to get him to take his heart medication since he needed it. Brian looked down into his best friend's bloodshot eyes and replied, "Kevin is on his way home, Frack. Everything will be alright." Nick nodded his head against Brian's shoulder and whimpered softly. Brian knew that the younger man in his arms wasn't going to be himself for a while. Nick tightened his hold on Brian's neck a little tighter and held on as he was picked up.

Brian walked over to the couch and laid Nick down onto the couch. He smiled softly at his best friend and ran his fingers through the blond hair. Nick looked up into Brian's eyes and replied, "I-I'm g-glad that y-you and L-Leighanne are going to be here f-for me and A-Aaron. I-I don't know what I-I'd do without you two." Nick then let his eyes close and he fell into an exhausted sleep.

Brian grabbed the blanket from the back of the chair and placed it over Nick, who was sleeping on the couch finally. Tears still leaked out from the corners of his eyes and he wanted to help his cousin's husband get over the pain of losing his family. Leighanne walked over to her husband and knelt down beside him. She placed a hand on Brian's shoulder and rubbed it softly. Brian turned to look at his wife and smiled lightly. He gripped her hand and squeezed softly. "I'm upset that Nick had to experience this pain, yet I'm glad that you're here. I found out that you and Nick's family were taking the same flight out. I'm happy you're alive, but I'm hurting because my best friend just lost the most important people in his life," Brian said softly.

Leighanne rested her head on Brian's shoulder and replied sadly, "I know what you mean, Brian. I'm glad that I'm here with you, but I'm hurting as well because Nick and Aaron don't have their parents and sisters anymore. It will be hard for them to get adjusted to life again." She reached a hand out and ran her fingers through Nick's hair when she heard him whimpering softly. It was going to be hard on Nick since he was pregnant, his hormones weren't agreeing with him, his heart was weaker than usual, and he was dealing with the loss of his parents and sisters. Nick needed his little brother now and Aaron needed Nick as well.
What's Going To Happen? by darkknight1213
Kevin pulled into the driveway of the house and turned the engine off. Howie was the first one to unbuckle his seat belt and get out of the truck. He walked over to the driver's side and opened the back door. He leaned in and unbuckled the seat belt and harnesses that held his daughter in her car seat. Alex looked up and smiled weakly at his husband as he was unbuckling his own seat belt. Kevin had gotten out already and was waiting for the couple to follow him. He was thinking about his husband and knew that he was going to be on edge for a while. When Alex and Howie had their bags and Alex was holding their daughter in his arms, the three men walked into the house silently.

Brian looked up from where he and Leighanne were sitting when he heard the door open. He saw Kevin, Alex, and Howie walking through. He stood up from the floor and walked over to the other three men. "Nick is sleeping right now. He's still upset, but he calmed down enough and ended up falling asleep," Brian replied. Kevin nodded his head and walked over to where his husband was sleeping.

Kevin knelt down and brushed away the tears that were falling from the corners of Nick's eyes. He knew that the group would have to do a benefit concert for the World Trade Center relief funds. Nick moaned softly and opened his bloodshot eyes. He smiled lightly at his husband and Kevin kissed the young man on the lips softly. The three couples turned to look at the screen and saw that the South Tower was starting to collapse. "Oh God!" Nick exclaimed as the tower was coming down. Smoke and debris was all in the air as the tower was finally gone.

Nick wrapped his arms around Kevin's neck and rested his head on the older man's shoulder. Kevin knew what Nick wanted, so he picked the young man up into his arms and then laid down on the couch. Nick instantly cuddled into Kevin's embrace and continued to watch the news. They couldn't believe that the country was being attacked by terrorists. All that was heard in the room was Nick's sniffling. The phone rang and Kevin, Alex, Howie, Brian and Leighanne flinched heavily. Nick had ended up falling asleep once more. Brian walked over to the phone and picked it up. "Hello, Richardson residence. This is Brian speaking," he replied.

On the other side of the phone, Johnny Wright heard Brian's voice. He knew that Nick was heartbroken because his family was on Flight 11 that had been headed for Los Angeles International Airport. "Hey Brian, it's Johnny. I'm calling to let you know that there will be a benefit concert next month for this day. I know Nick is upset at the moment, so he doesn't have to be on stage, even if the fans want all of the group singing. I'll be there so I can watch over him when you, Alex, Howie, and Kevin are singing on stage. I managed to get everything booked for the five of you so you just let me know the day you all plan to leave," he said.

Brian listened to Johnny explain what was going on and he sighed. He didn't want his little brother to go on stage knowing that Nick would break down into tears singing, but it would help seeing the many fans that showed compassion for each of them. "I'll let the guys know the plans and we'll get back to you soon. Thanks for calling, Johnny. Talk to you soon," Brian replied and hung up the phone then ran a weary hand over his face. He walked back over to where Nick and Kevin were laying down.

Brian sat down in the chair beside the couch and then replied, "That was Johnny. He wanted us to know that there would be a benefit concert next month and wants us to perform. Nick doesn't have to perform since he belonged in the crowd of those who lost loved ones and friends this day. It's up to Nicky if he wants to perform with us on stage."

Kevin looked at his sleeping husband and kissed the top of the young man's blond hair. "Nick may want to participate in the benefit concert to raise money for the Relief Fund that will be happening for this day. We will also need to make sure that the paramedics are standing by. Nick's heart is weaker than usual; with the added stress of losing his parents and being pregnant, it's going to be hard for him at the moment," Kevin replied and hugged Nick closer when he heard the young man moan in pain softly. He ran his hands up and down his young husband's back to keep him calm.

Two Hours Later
Both World Trade Center towers had collapsed to the ground. New York City, Brooklyn, and Manhattan were surrounded in nothing but dust, smoke and smoldering debris. Kevin, Brian, Leighanne, Howie and Alex were silent throughout the entire news report. The only noise in the living room were the soft snores of Nick and Caroline as they slept on. They knew that numerous bodies and body parts were lying underneath the remains of the two towers.

Kevin reached for the remote and turned the television off. He knew that everyone was tired of listening to the news and seeing the images of the planes hitting the towers over and over again. Nick slowly opened his eyes and looked around. He noticed that he had slept for two hours. "H-Hey everyone," Nick replied softly. Nick sat up and rubbed the back of his hand over his eyes to get some of the sleep out. Kevin sat up along with his young husband and he pulled the young man back into his arms.

Nick smiled lightly and rested his head against Kevin's shoulder. Brian, Leighanne, Howie and Alex sat around the couch that Kevin and Nick were still occupying. Nick took Caroline from Howie's arms and held the little girl close to his chest. Kevin looked down at his husband and knew that he needed to tell Nick about the concert. "Nick, Johnny called us and he wants us to do a benefit concert next month to raise money for the World Trade Center attacks. I know about your weak heart, so there will be paramedics standing by in case anything happens," Kevin explained to the young man in his arms.

Nick turned to look up at Kevin and smiled softly. "I'm going to participate in the benefit concert. Yea, I'm upset that I had to watch the airplane that had my family in fly straight for the North Tower, hear their screams and the screams of the passengers around them as they were being burned alive before my father's cell phone shut off completely. My parents and sisters don't want me to give up my singing because they're gone. I know because they're here and I can feel their reassurance and protection. I'm going to get on stage with you, Howie, Brian and Alex," Nick replied and kissed the top of his niece's head softly.

Kevin smiled and kissed Nick on the lips softly. Nick returned the kiss and then turned to smile at everyone else while passing Caroline back to Alex's waiting arms. They returned his smile and started to chat a little bit. Kevin replied, "I'll email Johnny and let him know that Nick is going to sing in the concert. The paramedics will be there just in case anything goes wrong, mainly Nick going into labor. The doctor told us that the twins can come anytime soon. We're excited and a little nervous at the same time." Nick giggled softly when he felt his daughters kick him softly. He was glad that Kevin and the others were there for him and understood what he was going through at the moment with everything that had happened. He was grateful for having very wonderful friends and a loving husband that took care of him for better and for worse and through sickness and health.

Kevin placed his hands flat on Nick's stomach and rubbed softly. Nick purred softly and cuddled closer to his husband. Nick replied softly, “Your daughters are kicking the hell out of me right now, Kevin. I'm so glad that I have about one more month of this pregnancy and they'll be here. We should make sure that the hospital bags for me are packed and everything. It would be amazing if I gave birth on the day of the benefit concert.” Kevin and Leighanne chuckled softly at Nick's comment. They knew that multiple pregnancies never lasted nine full months and they had a feeling that Nick was going to give birth soon, preferably next month. Nick smiled and groaned softly. “Damn it, I need to go to the bathroom. I've gone so many times throughout the days. Abigail and Evelyn are sitting directly on my bladder again. I'll be back in a few minutes,” Nick replied and eased up from between Kevin's legs and headed upstairs to the bathroom.

Leighanne turned to face Kevin and smiled mischievously. “You're in for it, Kevin. Nick is going to be cursing you out as he gives birth to your daughters. He's not going to be a happy camper while he is going through labor. Just make sure not to upset him because I've heard many women who had children did make their husbands get vasectomies,” she replied and laughed when she saw the look on her cousin-in-law's face. Brian, Howie, and Alex grinned at Kevin and knew that he wanted more children with Nick later down the road.

“Believe me, Leighanne. I'm not going to upset Nick at all when he's going through labor and bringing our daughters into the world. I don't want to destroy my manhood. I want to have more children with Nick down the road,” Kevin replied and discreetly crossed his legs so he wouldn't have to feel the metaphoric pain of a vasectomy happening to him.
A Month Later by darkknight1213
Kevin, Nick, Aaron, Brian, Leighanne, Howie and Alex were sitting in the back of the arena where the United We Stand benefit concert was being held at. They had celebrated Kevin's birthday at the softball field. Nick was happy that his husband enjoyed himself. Nick was sleeping with his head on Leighanne's shoulder. He was now eight months pregnant and his energy levels were lower than before when he had gone to the doctor and Kevin stayed with him as he was examined. Kevin made sure to give him his daily Vitamin B12 shot, heart medication and ferrous sulfate tablets. Nick was glad that his husband was making sure that he was alright and comfortable with going out on stage and performing.

The Boys decided to sing about three of their songs from Millennium. Nick chose “Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely,” and Brian chose “Don't Wanna Lose You Now” and “The Perfect Fan.” Howie and Alex were all for the three songs since Alex voted for Nick and Brian's songs and Howie suggested “The Perfect Fan” to Brian. Kevin was glad that “Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely” was their top song to sing first. Kevin and Nick had played the song at their wedding three years ago. Their fourth wedding anniversary was going to be on Valentine's Day. They married up at Holy Redeemer Chapel in the mountains of Lexington, Kentucky. It was an outdoor chapel at the summer camp Kevin's late father ran.

Nick yawned softly and didn't wake up. Leighanne smiled and reached up a hand to brush a lock of blond hair away from Nick's face. Aaron had his head resting in Nick's lap while he was sleeping. Aaron had made it out to New York when Brian's father, Harold Littrell, Sr., flew out to California to meet up with the youngest Carter child. Nick was forever grateful for Brian's father and Harold told him that he was part of the family and Nick could call him Uncle Harold from now on. Leighanne smiled at her husband and Brian grinned lovingly back at her. She knew that they were ready for a family and she decided to discuss it with him after the concert was over.

Kevin looked over at the two siblings. He knew that Nick was going to watch over Aaron closely since it was only the two of them now. Nick and Aaron were starting to recover from the pain of losing their parents and sisters in the terrorist attacks back on September 11th. The older man was glad that they were starting to feel better. He hated to wake Nick and Aaron up, but he had to since they were due to go onstage in about ten minutes.

“Nick and Aaron, you two need to wake up now. It's almost time for us to go onstage,” Kevin replied softly as he shook them gently. Two sets of eyes, one pair cobalt blue and the other pair hazel, opened slowly and looked up into Kevin's green eyes. Kevin smiled and helped Aaron sit up slowly since he was still groggy and out of it. Nick let out a soft sigh and rubbed a weary hand over his face.

Kevin watched his husband stand up from the seat he was sleeping in slowly and stretch a little bit to straighten his back out. The shirt he was wearing rose up a little bit and he saw the Celtic tattoo that Nick had gotten a couple years ago on his lower back. He made sure that Nick had the right size jeans and shirt since he was pregnant and needed to be as comfortable as possible. He stood up from his chair and walked over to Nick.

Nick turned to look at Kevin and replied, “Thanks for waking me up, Kevin. I guess I needed that nap. I feel a little better and the ferrous sulfate and B12 shot are kicking in now. It's funny how I went from hating needles with a passion to having to depend on them to get my body to function correctly. When this concert is over, I am so glad we're taking a much-needed break from the spotlight after this tour. It will give Brian and Leighanne time to start a family and for us to get adjusted to being parents. Aaron will need to be enrolled in school since he is eligible to be an eighth-grader. It was a good thing that he was home-schooled by a private teacher I spoke with and paid every two weeks."

Kevin smiled at his husband and leaned down to kiss him softly. Nick wrapped his arms loosely around Kevin's neck and felt the strong arms he loved wrap around his waist and pull him closer. Brian walked over to his cousin and best friend. "Alright you two, knock it off. It looked like you were trying to eat your faces," Brian replied and ducked when Kevin and Nick both tried to slap him on the back of the head at the same time. Brian ran off laughing after he teased the couple and Leighanne watched her husband laugh. Nick grinned up at Kevin and kissed him on the nose. It was a little thing that Nick and Kevin developed when they first dated before getting married.

One of the stagehands came backstage and replied, "Backstreet, you're up now. Here are you microphones." Kevin grabbed his mic and Nick's mic as well. He made sure that it worked and was glad that it did. The group made sure that their earpieces were secured as well and they grabbed hands to pray. Nick then began to pray. "Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for bringing us here safely. We're here together as an unit, a team, and a family. You have protected those You love and care about. We stand in this circle praying that you will grant us the strength to make it through the concert and through life. You are worthy to be praised and loved. In your Son's name, Amen," Nick concluded and everyone replied "Amen."

Nick looked at the stairs where they were to go up and he was a little nervous. He wondered what was going to happen out there after they sang the National Anthem. Kevin saw Nick standing at the stairs, so he walked over to the young man. He slid his arms around the expanded waist and rested his chin on his young husband's shoulder. “Nick, everything will be alright. The paramedics are standing by for anything that will happen. Baby, relax for me,” Kevin replied and kissed the back of Nick's neck softly and smiled when Nick chuckled softly. Kevin was glad that he was able to soothe Nick's nerves and keep him relaxed.

On Stage
After the boys sang the National Anthem, Kevin looked over at Brian and saw his cousin nod. He grabbed Nick's hand and Nick wondered what his husband was about to do. Kevin pulled Nick to the front of the stage and smiled down at him. The crowd was cheering and Kevin quieted them down. "Hello everyone. As you know, Nick and I have been married for three years now. Back on September 11th, one of our crew members was on Flight 175 that hit the South Tower. His name was Daniel Lee. Also, Nick and his little brother, Aaron Carter, lost people who were very close to them. They lost their parents and three sisters on Flight 11 that hit the North Tower. We would like to take this time and have a moment of silence for those who perished in the terrorist attacks," Kevin replied and wrapped an arm around Nick's waist and held the young man close to his chest. Aaron was being held in Nick's arms since he was still small enough to be picked up.

The entire arena went silent. Nick rested his head over Kevin's heart and listened to the strong beating. It was a very comforting sound to soothe the worry and edginess from his body. Kevin opened his eyes and said, "Thank you for your time." The arena erupted into applause and Nick leaned up to kiss Kevin on the lips softly. Kevin tightened his hold on Nick's waist and returned the kiss more passionately. The audience cooed at the love and affection between Kevin and Nick. The couple separated and smiled at one another. Nick set Aaron back onto the ground and told him to go sit at the side of the stage.

The band started to play the music for “Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely” and Brian started to sing the first part of the song. Nick smiled at his husband and placed a hand on his stomach, rubbing softly to calm their daughters' movement down. Their children were on the move like crazy and Nick could never find a comfortable position to sit in or lay in.

Show me the meaning of being lonely
So many words for the broken heart
It's hard to see in a crimson love
So hard to breathe
Walk with me, and maybe

Nick nodded his head to the beat of the song and gasped when he felt a slight tightening in his chest. He inhaled slowly and exhaled slowly to calm his palpitating heart. He didn't know what was going to happen, so he kept his eyes out to the crowd and listened as Alex started to sing his part of the song. Nick heard himself breathing deeply and shallowly. His chest felt like it was on fire and it was tightening more and more as the concert went on.

Nights of light so soon become
Wild and free I could feel the sun
Your every wish will be done
They tell me

After Alex sang his part of the song, Nick tried to sing the chorus but his voice failed him. His vision was starting to go blurry and he had to grab onto the microphone stand in front of him. Kevin looked over at his husband and wondered what was going on. In a matter of seconds, Nick collapsed to the floor clutching at his chest and stomach. Kevin rushed over to where his husband had collapsed and held him close. The crowd cried out in fear and fright as Kevin turned Nick onto his back. He placed his head on his young husband's chest and heard the wet beating of his heart. “Brian, get the paramedics and tell them to get a stretcher ready! Nick is going into labor and his heart is beating shallowly!” Kevin called out. Brian rushed off the stage and told the paramedics to get a stretcher.

Nick looked up into his husband's worried emerald eyes and replied, “I-It will be alright, K-Kevin. Don't l-leave me please.” The paramedics brought the stretcher onto the stage and Kevin moved to the left side and held Nick's hand as he was being prepared for transport to New York State Hospital. Kevin saw the fear in Nick's glazed-over cobalt blue eyes.

Once the paramedics had Nick ready, they placed him onto the stretcher and then secured him in. Kevin held his husband's hand as the young man was wheeled to the awaiting ambulance to be transported to the hospital. When they got to the ambulance, Kevin got in since he wasn't going to let go of his husband's hand until they were at the hospital. Nick smiled weakly at the older man and let his eyes close in complete exhaustion.

New York State Hospital
It had been over eight hours since Nick was brought to the hospital. Aaron was sleeping with his head in Leighanne's lap. Kevin was pacing the hall up and down waiting for news on Nick and their daughters. Brian watched his cousin and knew that he was nervous and anxious to hear any news on Nick. 'Kevin is really worried about Nick. I know Frack will pull through. He is very strong and will be alright. God, don't take my best friend please,' Brian prayed silently. Alex and Howie were curled up together on the couch holding hands. "Kevin Richardson?" Kevin stopped pacing and looked up when he saw the doctor. He walked over to the doctor and shook the extended hand.

“Hello Mr. Richardson. I am Dr. Matthew Stokes, Nick's cardiologist. Your daughters have arrived safely and they've been taken to the nursery. There were no complications with them. On the other hand though, Nick's heart was strained severely. I found another hole in his heart about the size of a child's fist. I had worked on the first one and then we prepped him for surgery straight after your daughters' births to repair the second hole. He is in a private room now, but only two of you can visit him at a time,” the doctor explained. Kevin, Brian, Leighanne, Howie and Alex relaxed visibly. Leighanne looked down and saw that Aaron was finally awake. She smiled softly and ran her fingers through his hair.

“Thank you for coming to tell us, Doctor,” Kevin replied and watched as Nick's cardiologist walked away from them. He then turned to look at his family. “I'm going to go and see Nick right now. Brian, you can come if you want,” he said. Brian nodded and kissed Leighanne on the lips before walking away with Kevin. As the two cousins were walking to the Intensive Care Unit, Kevin was thinking about the tour.

“I think we are going to have to cancel some of the concerts. Nick needs to rest and get adjusted to being a daddy now,” Kevin replied. Brian nodded in agreement with the explanation his older cousin gave. They knew that Nick tried his hardest to tour while pregnant and dealing with his heart condition. Brian was amazed that Nick made it this far before everything had caught up with him. He realized that his best friend was cheating death every time he took the stage to perform with them.

Intensive Care Unit
Kevin and Brian arrived at the room where Nick was and saw his bodyguard, Michael Erickson, standing at the door. The three men exchanged hugs and shook hands. Kevin looked over at Brian and saw the younger man nod. They both walked into the room and gasped softly. Nick was hooked up to a lot of wires from the machines that were brought into the room and had an oxygen hose around his face. Kevin walked over to the bed and sat down in the chair. He grasped his young husband's hand into his own and kissed it softly.

“Nicky, please wake up soon. I need you so much right now, baby. You're my everything and I don't want to lose you. Our daughters are here as well, sweetheart. I'm going to go see them soon. I know they will be beautiful just like you. I'll be back soon,” Kevin replied and stood up. He leaned down and kissed Nick on his lips before walking out of the room.

Brian took Kevin's seat and held Nick's hand in his own as well. “Hey Frack, wake up soon. Your husband is very scared that you're not going to. I know you will since you're strong and have cheated death many times. You're twenty-one years old, but you have shown maturity beyond years and you've cheated death by delaying your surgery twice. Aaron is with Leighanne right now, but they'll come and visit you soon. Howie and Alex will come after them as well. Wake up soon, bro,” Brian replied and kissed Nick on the forehead when he stood up from the chair and walked out of the room. He decided to go and see how Kevin was holding up with everything. Brian knew that Kevin was trying to stay strong for Nick, but he knew that the older man needed to let go for once in his life. He remembered that he needed to call Ann and let her know what happened to Nick.
Nick Wakes Up by darkknight1213
Kevin was standing outside the nursery and smiled when he saw his daughters. They had Nick's blond hair and knew that they would have two-color eyes since he dreamed that they would. He couldn't believe that he was a father now. He was married to the most amazing and beautiful man that he had the pleasure of meeting. His father would have been proud of the way his life turned out. Ever since Jerald Richardson, Sr. passed away in 1991, Kevin always had to be the strong one for the sake of his mother. His older brothers, Jerald and Tim, were there for him when he did cry in private. Right now, he wanted his brothers there with him. He couldn't take being the strong one anymore.

Unbeknown to Kevin, his oldest brother was walking towards him. Tim Richardson had received the call from Brian, letting him know that Nick was in the hospital and had given birth to his nieces but had to be rushed into surgery afterwards because of his heart. He knew that his baby brother was terrified of losing his husband. When Kevin had come home to Kentucky with Nick, Tim saw the love between the two men and was glad that his baby brother had found someone to love him like he deserved to be. Tim watched Kevin stare through the glasses at his daughters and walked silently over to the new father. “Kevin,” Tim replied softly as he wrapped one of his arms around the other man's shoulders.

Kevin turned to look at his eldest brother and saw the concern, love and worry in his green eyes. Kevin's bottom lip trembled and he finally let go for once. He wrapped his arms around Tim's neck sobbing brokenly. “I can't lose Nick, Tim. I just can't. He's my life and my everything. When I first told him I loved him, I was so happy that he felt the same way about me. I can't imagine life without him and his love. What if he doesn't regain consciousness and ends up having to go on life support? I don't want to have to see him like that!” Kevin screamed out into his brother's shoulder. He was glad that Tim was there for him and he was able to cry like he wanted to since they were at the hospital.

Tim felt Kevin's legs buckle and he held his brother close to his body. “Kev, it'll be alright. Nick is a very strong man and he'll get through this. Dad is watching over him and won't let anything happen to him. Dad would've been proud to have Nick as a son-in-law. Nick makes you very happy and I couldn't think of anyone better for you than that young man in the other room. Your eyes radiate the love and happiness that you hold for Nick. He won't leave you and your daughters behind,” Tim replied as he ran his fingers through Kevin's long hair. Kevin nodded and continued to sob into his big brother's shoulder.

Nick's Hospital Room
Leighanne and Aaron were sitting by Nick's bed, watching his chest rise up and down while the beat of the machines were the only noise being heard in the room. Aaron looked at his big brother and wished that he would wake up. He then stood up from the chair he was sitting in and crawled into the bed with his brother. Whenever Aaron was scared or had a nightmare, Nick would let him crawl into bed with him and Nick would hold him close in a strong, comforting embrace. Aaron decided to return the gesture. He wrapped his arms around Nick's waist and closed his eyes.

Leighanne watched as Aaron hugged his brother and knew that he wasn't going to move until he had to. She knew that the two Carter brothers needed each other and she didn't want to ruin the moment. She stood up from the chair and walked out of the room. She saw Howie holding Alex around the waist. “You two can go in now. Aaron is sleeping with Nick right now, so be quiet. Nick hasn't woken up yet, but Aaron needs to stay with him,” Leighanne replied softly and watched the Doroughs walk into the room. She hoped that Nick would wake up soon.

Howie and Alex pulled the chairs close to Nick's bed and just stared at him. Aaron was already sleeping once more and Alex placed his jacket over the sleeping thirteen-year-old. He looked over at his husband and saw the worry in his brown eyes. “Hey Nick. It's Alex and Howie. I hope that you can hear us right now. Kevin is very worried and frightened for you. Your daughters are here and they're in the nursery at the moment. All of us are praying that you wake up soon because we don't want to lose you. I'm sorry for putting you through a lot of shit when you were younger. I was an all-around asshole, but you saved me from myself. I love you Nicky. You're my brother,” Alex replied softly.

“I-I love y-you too, A-Alex.” Howie and Alex were startled when they heard a soft voice speak. Nick was smiling lightly while his eyes were halfway opened. “Hey you two,” Nick replied weakly and looked down when he felt arms tighten around his waist. His baby brother was sleeping next to him and the teenager's head was resting on his shoulder. “How are Abigail and Evelyn? Are they safe now?” Nick asked as he shifted into a better position so he could be comfortable.

Howie replied, “They're in the nursery right now, Nick. Kevin went to go and see them for a while. You've been unconscious for over a day now. It's close to 12AM now. We've been here at the hospital since 9PM last night. The doctor came and told us what happened. You don't know how lucky you are, Nicky. You could've died from the shape your heart was in.” Howie saw the look of fear, worry, and finally acceptance flash through Nick's expressive cobalt blue eyes.

Nick nodded his head softly and let out a sigh. “I know I am very lucky to still be here, Howie. I was supposed to have my surgery earlier, but I delayed it twice because of the touring that we were doing throughout Europe and all. I didn't want to let any of you down, so I forced myself to keep moving. The medications that I was taking helped, but I knew eventually that this was going to happen. I realized that I was cheating death all those times. Dr. Stokes told me that I had a zero-percent survival rate but by the grace of God, I'm still here. Can one of you go and find Kevin for me?” Nick asked softly and let out a yawn.

Howie nodded his head and replied, “I'll go and find Kevin, Nick. I'll be back as soon as I can.” Howie hugged Nick when he stood up from the chair and then kissed Alex on the lips softly. Nick smiled and watched his best friend walk out of the room. He looked over at Alex and knew that he was missing his daughter. Nick felt Aaron shift around on the bed and leaned down to kiss him on his forehead softly. A few minutes later, he was met with eyes that were the same shape as his but in hazel.

“Hi Aaron. I'm alright now and your nieces are finally here in the world,” Nick replied softly and hugged his brother close when he saw tears streaming down the teenager's face. “Please don't cry, Aaron. Everything is alright now. My heart was operated on and my cardiologist was able to repair it. I'm not going to leave you or anyone else behind,” Nick said as he ran his fingers through Aaron's blond hair. He knew that he scared his brother when he collapsed on the stage at the United We Stand concert.

Out in the hall by the nursery, Kevin had finally calmed down and was still standing in Tim's arms. He finally cried out all of the pent-up emotions that he kept inside of him. Tim knew that Kevin needed to be held while he was still shaking slightly. The older man looked up and saw Howie Dorough making his way towards them. “Kevin, Howie's coming over to us. I think he has good news about Nick,” Tim replied to his brother. Kevin nodded against Tim's shoulder.

“Hey Tim and Kevin. I got good news for once. Nick is awake and asking for you, Kevin. I think Nick will be glad to see you as well, Tim, since you're his brother-in-law,” Howie replied and smiled softly. Kevin let out a sigh of relief and was glad that his husband was alright with everything that had happened during the last month and a half. Together, the three men headed towards the room where Nick was recovering in.

Back in the hospital room, Nick had finally calmed Aaron down and was holding him close. Alex looked at Nick and smiled softly. “You are an amazing man, Nick. Kevin will be glad to see that you're awake finally. Everyone was extremely worried about you, Nicky. It was touch-and-go with you for a while. You had two holes in your heart so that was why you were feeling tired all the time. God must have been watching over you,” Alex replied and squeezed his best friend's hand softly.

Howie arrived back at the room with Tim and Kevin in tow. Kevin watched through the glass window seeing Nick and Alex laughing. He smiled and then walked through the door and went directly to the chair on Nick's right side of the bed. “Nick, it's so good to see you awake and smiling. I was so worried that you weren't going to wake up for a while. The doctor may want to keep you here for a week and a half to monitor your heart and see if the surgery corrected everything,” Kevin replied and kissed Nick on the lips softly. Nick smiled in the kiss and returned it. He knew that the older man had cried since his eyes were red and puffy. When the couple ended the kiss, Kevin smiled down at the young man and replied, “Tim showed up and I finally let go of the tears that I've been holding back. You were right about crying, baby. It is a good stress reliever.” Nick smiled and waved at Tim softly. Tim returned the smile and wave.

Howie, Alex and Tim decided to let the couple have some alone time since they deserved it. The three men walked out of the room quietly so they wouldn't disturb Kevin and Nick. Brian and Leighanne saw them coming out of the room. Howie nodded his head and smiled at the couple. "Nick's awake now and Kevin is with him at the moment," he replied.

Brian said, "Oh, thank you God for watching over my best friend." Leighanne hugged her husband and let out a sigh of relief and happiness. She knew that Brian would've been devastated if Nick didn't make it through the night. Howie hugged Alex around the waist and rested his chin on the younger man's shoulder. Tim smiled and leaned across the wall with his arms crossed. The two couples were enjoying the relief and happiness after finding out that Nick was going to make it. He decided to call his mother and let her know that Nick was alright and he was doing better now that he had gotten the surgery he delayed twice.

Back in the room, Kevin was holding Nick's right hand in his left hand. Nick was running his fingers through his brother's hair. He was glad that everything was getting better and he wouldn't feel so weak anymore. He was scared when the doctor told him that he needed to have emergency open-heart surgery, but at least he felt normal for once in his life.
The Next Day by darkknight1213
Nick had woken up and looked around the room. He realized that it was after 7AM. He smiled when he saw his husband curled up against his side and his arms were around his waist. Nick smiled and brushed a lock of hair out of the older man's face. He liked how Kevin kept his hair long. It was like silk whenever he ran his fingers through it. The door to the room opened and Nick looked up from watching his husband sleep soundly without any signs of waking. "Good morning, Nick. It's good to see that you're awake," Matthew replied as he walked over to the bed. He started checking over the electrocardiography readings of Nick's heart and adjusted the flow of saline solution that Nick was receiving to keep him hydrated.

"Morning Matthew. Kevin was exhausted, so he ended up falling asleep next to me. I was surprised see him sleeping next to me. I was wondering when I would be able to go see my daughters. Kevin and I are very anxious to hold them for the first time. I know I have to eat breakfast before I can go anywhere. I also need clothes to wear since I don't have anything of mine to wear," Nick replied and ran his fingers through his husband's hair. Matthew saw the love between the two men and was happy for them. He knew that Nick and his baby brother were dealing with the loss of their parents and sisters, but at least they had each other.

Matthew smiled at the progress Nick was making. He knew that the young man was well on the road to recovery. "I'll have one of the nurses bring you some pants and a t-shirt. Your readings are looking very good, so you can go and see your daughters. Breakfast will be here in a few minutes and I made sure that they knew to bring an extra breakfast for Kevin since he stayed with you all night. Your friends had gone home since they needed some sleep and they were going to do a press conference about your health. I feel confident that you and your daughters will be released very soon to return home. I'll be back later," Matthew replied and walked out of the room.

Nick chuckled softly at the bubbly attitude his cardiologist had. He looked down at his husband and decided to wake him up since it was close to breakfast time. “Kevin, wake up baby. Breakfast will be here soon. Matthew made sure to let them know to bring two meals since you're here with me,” Nick replied as he shook the older man gently. Nick smiled when sleep-glazed emerald eyes opened slowly and met his cobalt blue eyes. He leaned down and kissed the older man softly. Kevin cupped Nick's cheek in his right hand and returned the kiss. The couple separated and smiled at one another. “Matthew is letting me go see Abigail and Evelyn today. I've been waiting to hold our daughters in my arms for the longest,” Nick replied.

Kevin smiled and sat up from his position against Nick's side. Nick leaned forward and Kevin slid behind the younger man. Nick cuddled into his husband's embrace once the other man was comfortable. Kevin replied, “I'm glad that you can go and see them. They're so beautiful since they're a mixture of both you and me. They haven't opened their eyes, but I think they have either your eyes or my eyes. I'm hoping that they have a mixture though.” Nick smiled and sighed contently when Kevin nuzzled his neck.

The door opened and one of the nurses walked in with their meals. "Good morning, Mr. Carter-Richardson and Mr. Richardson. I have your breakfast meals. Today, we're having eggs, sausage, grits, toast, and freshly-cut strawberries. Another nurse will be bringing some clothes for you to wear, Mr. Carter-Richardson. I'll be back later to see if you need anything," the nurse named Julia replied softly.

Nick smiled and replied, "Thank you, Julia. I think my husband and I are good for now. Just call us Nick and Kevin, please." Julia nodded and walked out of the room. Nick and Kevin settled into a comfortable silence as they began eating their breakfast. Nick grinned and grabbed the little cup of whipped cream. He stuck his finger into it and turned to look at his husband. Kevin raised an eyebrow and Nick giggled softly as he smeared the cream over the older man's nose. He then leaned forward and started to lick it slowly. Kevin stared at the younger man and moaned softly when Nick licked his lips gently. Once the whipped cream was off Kevin's nose, Nick giggled softly once more. "You taste good with whipped cream," Nick replied softly and trailed a hand down his husband's chest.

Kevin groaned and grabbed Nick's hand into his own. "You better stop it before I take you here in this very room," Kevin practically growled and crushed his lips to his young husband's in a soul-scorching kiss. Nick moaned and wrapped his arms around the older man's neck. They were so caught up in the kiss that they didn't notice the door opening once more. They ended their make-out session and blushed furiously at one another. They turned around and saw Matthew smiling at them in amusement.

"Well, it seems that I interrupted something of importance," Matthew replied and chuckled when he saw the looks on the couple's faces. "It's alright, you two. I have a husband as well and he's on paternity leave from here at the moment. He's an attending physician for the ER. His name is Patrick Sanders-Stokes. You two can meet him if you want to. I want to invite you over to a barbecue at the house. It's the least I can do before you two and everyone else head back home," he replied and checked Nick's vitals. Nick smiled at his doctor and then looked at his husband. Kevin smiled down at him and kissed him on the lips softly.

The couple ended the kiss and Kevin looked over at Matthew. “Sure, it would be nice before we head back to Florida to finish out the tour. Brian, Leighanne, Howie and Alex will be there as well. I'll speak with them and see if they're up to it,” Kevin explained to Matthew. The young cardiologist nodded his head softly and continued to write the readings on his chart. Once he was finished, he walked over to the door and opened it. Sure enough, Julia was pushing a wheelchair through the door and she had some fresh clothes for him as well.

“Hello Nick. I told you I was coming back, didn't I? Alright, so you need to get changed so you and Kevin can go see your daughters. They're now in the nursery with the other newborn babies since they've gained enough weight to be with the other children. I made sure that there was a seat for you in the shower and everything in case you're feeling too weak to stand for an extended period of time,” Julia explained and unhooked the IV line from Nick's arms. Nick sighed in relief as he was able to move his arm around freely once more. Kevin stood up from the bed and helped his husband to his feet. Nick stumbled a little bit, but he finally caught his balance and started to walk on his own.

The young man grabbed the clothes from the wheelchair and walked into the bathroom. He closed the door behind him and set them on the toilet. He turned the water on and let it heat up. When it was heated, he stepped in and closed the door. Nick looked down at his chest and touched the place where Matthew had to open him up to repair his heart. The surgical incision was about five and a half inches long. It was still a little tender, but at least he wasn't feeling the tightening in his chest anymore. It took him about twenty-five minutes to thoroughly clean himself. He grabbed a towel and stepped out of the shower onto the rug that was in front of the shower. He dried himself off and then got into the clothes that had been brought to him.

Nick walked out of the bathroom and Kevin was leaning against the wall waiting for him. Kevin turned around and smiled at his husband. “Hey baby. Are you feeling better now that you were able to shower?” Kevin asked as he hugged the smaller man close to his body. Nick nodded against Kevin's chest and smiled up at the older man. Kevin was glad that the love of his life survived everything that he had been subjected to for the last month and a half.

Julia smiled at the love between Kevin and Nick. She remembered when they had gone on Total Request Live eight months ago and explained to the fans that they were finally married. The fans and everyone else were nothing but supportive of the two Backstreet Boys. The couple had received so many gifts from fans across the world. Most of the gifts were baby items since they had been expecting. “So, are you two ready to go see your daughters?” Julia asked. Kevin and Nick nodded their heads eagerly. They wanted to be able to hold their daughters for the first time. Kevin had waited until Nick was strong enough to get out of bed and walk around on his own.

Julia parked the wheelchair in place and helped Nick sit down. It was hospital policy that a patient had to sit in a wheelchair to be transported around the hospital unless authorized to walk on their own. Kevin grabbed the baby blanket that Leighanne had bought from the mall and placed it over Nick's lap so the younger man wouldn't be cold. Julia released the brakes and together, the small group headed out of the hospital room towards the nursery. Kevin pulled the hair holder out of his hair. He hated keeping his hair up in a ponytail. He was tempted to cut it, but he knew that Nick loved him with long hair. It was a good relaxing method for him whenever Nick ran his fingers through his hair after a long day's work.

When they got to the nursery, Julia waved to one of the nurses to come and open the door. The other woman walked over to the door and opened it. “Well, hello there. You're the Richardson family, right?” The older nurse, whose name was Cindy, asked. Kevin and Nick nodded their heads to answer the woman's question. “Your daughters have been waiting to be held by the both of you. They're very beautiful,” Cindy replied and held the door open for Julia to wheel Nick through. Kevin followed behind and Cindy let the door close softly behind the group.

Kevin smiled at all of the newborn babies and then looked over at his husband. He couldn't believe that the beautiful creature was his forever and they had children together. Kevin wanted a big family and Nick was more than happy to carry all their children. He was a submissive male, so being pregnant was easy for him. The first pregnancy though was a little challenging because of all the stress he had been put under. The young man made it through and he was healthier than he had been before. “Well, here are your daughters, you two. They are beautiful,” Julia replied and picked up Abigail first. She was placed in Nick's awaiting arms. Her sister, Evelyn, was placed into Kevin's arms.

Nick smiled at Abigail and replied, "You and Evie are so beautiful. I wonder what color your eyes and Evie's eyes are." A few minutes later, Abigail's eyes opened and Nick gasped. They were a perfect mixture of his cobalt blue eyes and Kevin's deep green eyes. "Boo, come here! Abby just opened her eyes!" Nick exclaimed happily. Kevin walked over to where Nick was and looked down at his daughter. He smiled when he saw Abigail's eyes opened. They were a perfect mixture of blue and green. He leaned down and kissed Nick on the lips softly.

Two minutes later, Evelyn's eyes opened slowly and Kevin looked down. He saw that her eyes were the same as Abigail's eyes. "It looks like I was right about both of them getting two-color eyes," Kevin replied. Nick glanced over at Evelyn and saw her eyes. They were the exact color of her sister's eyes and both sets of eyes had taken on Nick's eye shape, which was almond-shaped. Kevin and Nick smiled at their beautiful daughters softly. Abigail had received Nick's light blond hair while Evelyn had Kevin's raven hair. They knew that the two girls were going to become beautiful women when they were older.
Nick, Abigail, and Evelyn Go Home by darkknight1213
It had been a week since Nick had the twins and had to undergo open-heart surgery to repair the child fist-sized hole in his heart. He was currently waiting for Kevin to come and get him from the room. Abigail and Evelyn were with Brian and Leighanne since both Kevin and he named them the godparents to the girls. A knock on the door was heard and Kevin walked through. The older man smiled at his younger husband and replied, "Everything is squared away and you are officially discharged. The fans and everyone else will be glad to hear about your recovery. We're actually scheduled to go back on Regis and Kelly soon. We should take Abby and Evie on the show. Total Request wants us on their show as well, but we won't have to be there."

Nick thought about it for a few minutes and then looked up at his husband. "I want to do both shows, Boo. I think that it's better for us to just get everything out of the way. I'm doing way better than I was just a month ago and the girls are here safe and sound. I know you don't want me to do it, but I'm fine. Matthew said that I needed to take it easy still and take the medication that he prescribed me for my heart. It's just some vitamins and pain relievers. I'm going to feel some residual pain from the scar, but I'll be alright though," Nick explained to Kevin and wrapped his arms around the older man's neck. Kevin wrapped his arms around the once-again slender waist of his younger husband. The couple kissed for a few minutes and then walked out of the room. Kevin grabbed the duffel bag from the wheelchair.

When they got to the lobby, Nick's eyes instantly teared up. Alex, Howie, Brian and Leighanne were surrounded by lots of balloons and flowers. Abigail and Evelyn were sleeping soundly in Alex and Howie's arms while Caroline was sleeping in Leighanne's arms. Kevin looked down at Nick and smiled. "You didn't think we wouldn't give you anything? We love you, baby," Kevin replied softly and leaned down to kiss Nick softly. Nick wrapped his arms around the older man's neck and he pulled out of the kiss. Brian and the others smiled at the love between Kevin and Nick. He remembered when they had gotten together before talking about marriage and such. Howie and Alex placed Abigail and Evelyn into their parents' arms. Alex then retrieved his daughter from Leighanne's arms. The three couples got into their respective vehicles. Nick and Kevin secured their daughters into the car seats firstly. Nick then got into the back of the van.

Kevin got into the driver's seat and closed the door. He secured himself in and turned the engine on. He adjusted the mirror and then looked at his husband. "Baby, are you ready to head back to the house?" Kevin asked. Nick smiled and nodded as he adjusted the blanket around Abigail and then pulled the hat down a little more on Evelyn's head. Kevin nodded and pulled away from the curb. The other two couples followed behind them. As they were riding along, Nick was smiling softly. He was glad that his daughters made it into the world safely. Kevin and he would have both been devastated if they didn't make it. The young father sat back in his seat and closed his eyes.

When Kevin came to a stoplight, he looked over his shoulder and smiled softly. Nick had dozed off and their daughters were sleeping soundly as well. The older man smiled softly and turned to look back at the road. The light turned green and Kevin drove through the intersection. He made sure that the others were still following behind him. The older man felt very grateful for Matthew helping Nick out with everything and getting him back on his feet after the surgery. Nick was going to be in for a surprise when he got back to their New York house.

An hour later, Kevin and the others pulled into the driveway of the house. He parked the car and turned the engine off before getting out of the van. The older man walked over to the back door and slid it open. He reached in and shook Nick awake. "Baby, we're here at the house. Let's get the girls inside," Kevin replied and smiled when sleep-filled blue eyes opened slowly. Nick smiled tiredly and unbuckled the girls first before removing his seat belt. When the girls were freed from their car seat belts, Nick got out and grabbed Abigail while Kevin grabbed Evelyn. The others pulled into the driveway beside the van and got out. Kevin grinned at his cousin and knew that Nick would be surprised at what was awaiting him inside the house.

The couple walked to the door as Brian was standing before them. "Nick, I'm glad that you're home and my goddaughters are here safely as well. Welcome home," Brian said and opened the door. Nick looked at his best friend skeptically and wondered what was happening. He walked through the door and headed towards the living room. Tears started falling from Nick's blue eyes as he took in the appearance of the room. Presents, flowers, and everything else was sitting around the living room. He turned to look at his second family and was grateful for having them around.

Kevin approached his smaller husband and smiled softly at him. "Some of the fans sent you get-well presents after you collapsed at the benefit concert. They even wrote letters and had them sent to Johnny. They're over on the desk whenever you want to read them. All of us were surprised when Johnny had called us and told us about the get-well presents you received. A moving truck is going to transport everything back to Florida and we'll set it up in the den," Kevin explained to Nick and leaned down to kiss the smaller man on the lips softly. Nick was forever grateful for having a second family that was watching out for him and his little brother.
Support From The Fans by darkknight1213
A few weeks later the Boys, Leighanne and Aaron were backstage on the set of Regis and Kelly. Nick had read through the letters that some of the fans had sent him and he was overwhelmed with love and happiness from the words that he had read. He didn't think that he would've been so lucky, but he realized that the fans had been praying for him and his daughters to make it through. Kevin looked over at his husband and was glad that the younger man was healing nicely and retained some of the pregnancy weight. Nick had been too skinny and it didn't suit him. The weight from the pregnancy had been good for him and Matthew explained to Kevin that Nick needed to keep the weight on because his non-pregnancy weight was teetering on anorexic tendencies. One of the stagehands came back to them and told them that it was time. The group got ready go out in front of the camera. Leighanne and Aaron walked from backstage to go and sit in the audience since they were watching the twins for the time being.

When the group heard their cue, they walked out on stage and the fans were clapping for them. Regis and Kelly stood up to greet the group and after they were welcomed, the seven adults sat down while they waited for the audience to quiet down. When the screaming had finally stopped, Regis turned to face the group and said, "Well, welcome back to the show. The last time you all were here was back in 1997. You're all certainly older and married. Nick, you and Kevin married on Valentine's Day, about eight months before you all started to record Millennium I assume?" Regis asked as the audience started to clap loudly once more for the group.

Kevin and Nick smiled at each other as their fingers entwined together. Kevin nodded his head and replied when the audience quieted down once more, "Yea, Nick decided that getting married on Valentine's Day was a better deal since we were going to be busy during the summer before recording Millennium. Eight months later, we were in the studio recording. We didn't get to have a proper honeymoon, but we spent some time alone for a weekend at the cabin my father owned in the mountains of Kentucky. Howie and Alex married a year later on Alex's twenty-first birthday, which was January 9th, 1999. Brian was the last one to get married in the group. Leighanne and he made it official on September 2nd, 2000. All six of us had a joke about the way we all married. It was like a trend for us to get married a year apart from one another. One couple got married, the next couple got married and the last couple got married. It wasn't intentional. It was just ironic that we all ended up married a year apart from one another."

Nick nodded his head and replied, "Like Kevin said, it wasn't something we planned, but at least we were at each other's weddings. Can I take this time to explain to the audience and fans that are watching the show what happened?" Kevin, Brian, Howie and Alex knew what Nick was about to say. Regis and Kelly nodded their heads in agreement. "To all the fans here in the audience and watching the show, thank you so much for your support and get-well presents. I loved them all and I'm glad that you all are wonderful. My brother Aaron and I lost our parents and sisters back on September 11th when their plane, American Airlines Flight 11, hit the North Tower head-on. It was a difficult time for us and especially me since I was pregnant at the time. The pregnancy was already high-risk since I was carrying twins and my health wasn't very well at the time," he explained.

Regis and Kelly smiled and Kevin leaned over to kiss his younger husband on the cheek. The crowd cooed at the couple's love and affection. Everyone knew about Kevin and Nick's relationship from the very beginning and they also knew about Howie and Alex's relationship. Four of the Backstreet Boys were gay and one was bisexual, but preferred women. "Now, I understand that you had undergone open-heart surgery right after you delivered the twins, Nick. How are you feeling right now?" Kelly asked.

Nick replied, "I'm feeling and doing much better now. My heart wasn't in the best condition and it worsened when I was pregnant. My cardiologist, Matthew Stokes, had flown out from Florida to here when he heard about my collapse during the United We Stand concert. He eventually knew that my heart was going to give out and it did. I had two child fist-sized holes in my heart. It was a miracle that I'm alive today. I was supposed to have the surgery back in November 2000 actually and I didn't want to disappoint the fans so Matthew prescribed me some heart medication to keep my heart stabilized. When I had gotten pregnant in January, I called him and I went to get checked out. I knew that I was going to be on monitored bed rest when I wasn't performing. Every time I got onstage, I was basically cheating death. I'm just grateful for God watching over me." The show ended and the group exchanged hugs with the hosts.

Leighanne and Aaron walked onstage and Nick smiled at his daughters. Surprisingly, they slept through the entire show and were still sleeping. Kevin grabbed Abigail from Aaron and Nick grabbed Evelyn from his friend. The couple smiled at each other and held their daughters close. They knew that Brian and his wife were going to start talking about starting a family since they were going on break for a while. Nick still wasn't one-hundred percent, so he needed to take it easy from the touring that they were just finishing off. Johnny understood and was glad that Nick was alright. He didn't want any of the band members to get sick, hurt, or anything that would hinder them from performing. Kevin looked at his family and knew that everything was going to be alright.

A Week Later
Kevin and Nick were back at their house with Abigail and Evelyn. Kevin looked over at the smaller man and noticed the dark circles surrounding the normally bright cobalt blue eyes. The older man knew that Nick needed to get some rest since the public appearances that the group had made wore his recovering husband out. "Baby, I'll go put Abigail and Evelyn to bed. You just go to our bedroom and get ready for bed since you need to rest. You look like you're about to pass out from exhaustion," Kevin replied and kissed Nick on the lips. He carefully climbed the stairs with his daughters in his arms. Nick followed behind and as soon as they reached the top of the stairs, Nick headed for the master bedroom. He was tired after all and decided a good night's sleep would do him some good.

Kevin pushed the nursery door opened and he walked over to the cribs that he had bought for the girls. He carefully laid Evelyn down first and then walked over to the other crib to lay Abigail down. Once he had the girls in the cribs and they were covered with their blankets, Kevin turned the baby monitor on and walked out of the room as quietly as possible so the twins wouldn't wake up. He closed the door softly and headed down the hall to the bedroom that he shared with Nick. When he got there, the door was opened and walked in. Nick was already lying in bed underneath the covers sleeping. Kevin smiled and started to undress quietly. He usually slept in his boxers and a white t-shirt. This time around, he grabbed a pair of silk pajama pants and pulled them on. He then walked over to the bed and slid in.

Nick shifted over and buried his face into his husband's bare chest. He loved the warmth that Kevin's skin gave off. Kevin smiled and wrapped his arms around Nick's body. He leaned down and kissed the younger man on the forehead softly. Together, the new parents settled into sleep hopefully for the entire night. The baby monitor was sitting right next to the lamp on the nightstand so they could hear their daughters cry and get up from the bed quickly. Nick wasn't used to leaving his daughters' bedsides, but Kevin told him that they needed to get used to sleeping in a room together.

Five hours later, Nick opened his eyes when he heard crying through the baby monitor. He looked up at Kevin and saw that the older man was still sleeping soundly. He eased out of his husband's arms and grabbed his robe as he walked out of the bedroom. He should have known that one of the twins would have woken up sooner or later. When he arrived at the nursery, he walked in and saw that Evelyn was the one crying. Her sister was still sleeping soundly. He picked Evelyn up into his arms and walked over to the rocking chair. He sat down slowly and started to rock back and forth while singing to his daughter.

Nick was still singing to Evelyn so he didn't see Kevin standing in the doorway of the nursery smiling softly. The older man knew that Nick was a nurturer since he was submissive and he loved children. He remembered when Nick had spent an entire day at the Children's Hospital singing and playing with the children that were either terminally ill or were not able to be taken care of by their parents. Kevin walked over to his smaller husband and kissed him on the forehead softly. Nick looked up and smiled at Kevin softly. "I should have known that you would wake up before I did. Is Abby still sleeping?" He asked softly.

Nick nodded and Kevin walked over to Abigail's crib. Sure enough the little girl was still sleeping soundly. He pulled the blanket over her small body and leaned down to kiss her on the forehead. The older man smiled at his beautiful family lovingly. He never thought that someone as caring, loving and beautiful as Nick would be married to him and deeply in love with him. Kevin thanked God for bringing Nick into his life and never pulling him back. The blond-haired and blue-eyed man holding their first-born daughter was his Guardian Angel and he knew that they would be together for the rest of their lives.
Kevin and Nick Take Their Daughters Out by darkknight1213
Later on in the morning, Nick had woken up and noticed that Kevin wasn't lying beside him. He got up from the bed and grabbed his robe from the chair in the corner and walked out of the bedroom. He figured that Kevin was downstairs getting the bottles for Abigail and Evelyn ready so the both of them could feed their daughters. The young man smiled softly as he was walking downstairs. He was content in his life and knew that his family was watching over him, Aaron, and his daughters. When he arrived at the bottom of the stairs, he headed into the kitchen and saw Kevin standing by the microwave. He walked over to the older man and wrapped his arms around from behind. "Morning baby. I'm just about done with the bottles for the girls. I made about twenty in total so we can have them on hand," Kevin replied. Nick nodded and hugged his husband around the waist once more and then removed his arms so he could get started on breakfast.

Nick looked over at the doorway and saw his brother walking into the kitchen. Aaron's blond hair was sticking up in different directions and Nick laughed softly. "Morning Aaron. I hope you slept well," Nick replied and started to fix some eggs and sausage along with some freshly cut fruit. Kevin finished with the bottles and placed them in the refrigerator. He left two out for Abigail and Evelyn since they would be hungry as soon as they woke up. The baby monitor was sitting on top of the refrigerator since Nick had taken to carrying it around the house whenever he was away from the twins' room. About twenty minutes later, two simultaneous cries came from the monitor. Kevin and Nick grinned at each other when they heard their daughters cry, meaning they were hungry. Nick served Aaron his food and said, "Kevin and I will be upstairs feeding the twins. You can come up when you're done with breakfast." Aaron nodded and together the couple walked out of the kitchen.

Kevin and Nick headed upstairs towards the nursery. Nick was letting his mind wander back to the day his parents and sisters found out about his pregnancy. He had returned home for a couple days and he didn't know how to tell them that he was pregnant. He was already three months along when he was going to tell them. Kevin and the others had been excited when Nick told them that he was expecting. The older man had picked him up and spun him around as they kissed. It was an extremely happy day for Nick and Kevin since they were about to become parents for the first time after their third year of marriage.

Flashback
Nick was sitting outside in the Jeep that he rented from the rental car shop. He had returned to Los Angeles to see his family for a while. He was anticipating their reaction to him being pregnant and waiting to tell them. The youngest Backstreet Boy was humming with nervous energy and hoped that they wouldn't be angry. He had called Aaron and told him about his impending uncle-hood. His little brother had been so excited and he started saving up money to send little gifts out to Florida. The expectant father breathed in deeply and exhaled slowly. He got out of the truck and walked towards the front door. Every step that he had taken grew heavier by the minute. When he got to the door, he rang the doorbell and waited for the door to open. When it did, his father was standing in the doorway. "Hey Nick. Come in," Robert replied.

Nick smiled at his father and walked into the house. He missed living in the Los Angeles house where he grew up, but he knew that it had been time for him to move out and live with Kevin since they had been dating at the time. He walked into the living room and saw his mother sitting on the couch while his three sisters were sitting on the floor watching television. "Hey everyone. I have an announcement and it concerns all of you," Nick said and his family turned to look at him. 'Here goes nothing,' he thought to himself. "I had gone to the doctor because I was throwing every single morning. He took some blood and tested it. When he came back, he gave me the results and I should have figured it out myself. I'm pregnant with Kevin's children," he finished explaining.

He wasn't expecting to be tackled by his mother, who had tears streaming down her face. "Oh, my baby is having babies of his own! Nicky, I'm so happy for you. Kevin must've been excited when you told him. I knew that your husband wanted children of his own one day and now he gets to be a father. If you need any help, just call me and I'll be down in Florida in a heartbeat," Lisa Carter told her eldest son. Nick sighed in relief when his sisters also hugged him tightly but softly since he was already showing. His stomach was pushing against the fabric of the shirt he was wearing and his father pulled him into his arms after his mother and sisters released him. He didn't think that his parents and sisters would've died before the twins were born...


End Flashback
"Nick? Baby, are you feeling alright?" Nick snapped out of the flashback he had been pulled into and saw Kevin staring down at him, his green eyes full of concern and worry. "You looked like you were a thousand miles away. Are you sure you're alright?" Kevin asked. The young father smiled and nodded his head as he walked into the nursery. He walked over to Evelyn's crib and picked her up slowly. Kevin knew that Nick was remembering the time he had told his parents and sisters about his pregnancy and were missing them. He walked over to his husband and hugged him as the young man was feeding their oldest daughter. "Nicky, I know you miss your parents and sisters a lot, but they're watching over you. They may not be here physically, but they're in your heart," Kevin replied softly and kissed the smaller man on the lips softly before pulling away to smile down at his husband.

Nick smiled up at Kevin and replied, "Yea, I know. I just keep hearing the airplane hit the North Tower head-on. The scratching of metal against metal is something that I hate hearing whenever I close my eyes at night. I'll be alright soon. Abigail is getting a little fussy. You better feed her before she starts crying." Kevin nodded and walked over to his other daughter's crib. He picked her up cooing at her softly and then pressed the nipple of the bottle to her lips. Abigail happily accepted the nipple and started to drink the formula. He smiled softly and watched their youngest daughter drink her formula.

Nick had just finished feeding Evelyn and grabbed the burping towel so he could burp his daughter. He placed her on his shoulder and started to pat her back softly. He watched Kevin do the same thing to Abigail and smiled when a small but loud burp came from their youngest daughter. Nick finally heard Evelyn let out a burp and wiped her face with the towel. He laughed softly and placed her on the changing table. "Alright Evie. Let's get you changed and into some clothes for your first day out along with your sister. Abby is being changed by your father," Nick replied softly and started to clean the oldest twin off so he could change her diaper and get her dressed. Kevin was working on getting Abigail ready for the day as well.

About thirty minutes later, Kevin and Nick had finished cleaning and dressing their daughters for the day. Leighanne and Kevin's mother had sent them some dresses, shirts, skirts, and shoes for their daughters to wear. The couple looked at each other and smiled softly as they kissed each other softly. Kevin wrapped a strong arm around his younger husband's waist and Nick draped his arms around the older man's neck. “Thank you for loving me and putting up with me after all of the things that we were put through. I love you so much, Kevin Scott Richardson, and I don't want to lose you,” Nick said lovingly as he rested his head on Kevin's shoulder. Kevin smiled down at his husband and kissed him on the forehead before they picked up their daughters to take them out.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9989