- Text Size +
Story Notes:
© Copyright 2009, 2010
Author's Chapter Notes:
I started this fic awhile back but the inspiration to continue it didn't hit me until recently. I probably won't be updating it as often as my other, but it is something I will be working on. I hope you take a moment to check it out and offer feedback. Thank you!

 

She wore a white evening gown; the kind that hugged her chest and lithe waist then flowed from the hips and pooled around the floor. A sharp v shape was cut in the neckline and a sparkling silver chain with a diamond on the end hung around her neck. Her skin was tanned and her long, blonde locks cascaded down her back in ringlets that shimmered with the mini Chinese lanterns that hung in the vicinity. She had big, round and beautiful eyes; eyes that danced and glimmered with life, practically shouting out her feelings. But it was her laughter that caught his attention. When he heard it, everything seemed to fade away and she filled his head, sending chills down his spine and making the hairs on the nape of his neck stand up.

He had been sitting outside on the patio of La Fleur enjoying a quaint and relaxing dinner. The Roasted Chicken with Herbes de Provence was one of the best dishes that the little French Bistro had. He’d never been there before, but the dinner had come highly recommended and he’d ordered it on a whim. One could never go wrong with chicken. His dinner companion had gone with some kind of salad, though they had excused themselves to use the restroom at the moment. And that was when the laughter had filled his soul. It touched something inside and he turned his head, trying to seek out whom it belonged to. He needed to find the owner of the voice, it was so melodious and he just knew it had to belong to someone amazing.

She was not at any of the outdoor tables. Nor was she just on the other side of the doors, seated at the tables inside. Her laugh came again and he felt his heart skipping a beat. Though he had not laid eyes on her yet, he found her joy infectious, a grin tugging at the corner of his mouth. His dark eyes continued to scan the area, passing over the marble fountain surrounded by beautiful red, blue, pink, orange and purple flowers then snapping back to it. There she was, a vision in white, laughing and holding her dress up around her knees as she danced in the fountain. Her bare feet kicked at the water, sending droplets raining down around her. Soft music drifted through the cool evening air but this angel was dancing to the music in her head, not caring who saw her or what they thought.

He watched her, hypnotized by both her beauty and actions. She sounded like a beautiful song; flutes and violins and chimes. It was heaven to his ears and he found himself standing, weaving through the tables and stepping off the patio. It was a short walk around the flowers then along the marble path up to the fountain. He hadn’t even realized what he was doing until he was standing before her, watching as she laughed more and danced, a real smile on her lips.

She didn’t notice him at first, her gaze directed towards her feet and the water she was playing in. But then something caught her gaze and she lifted her head, her bright and bold sapphire eyes meeting his own chocolate ones and his breath was stolen.

“Hey.” Her voice was sweet music; light and airy but filled with joy.

He blinked and shook his head some, trying to find his own voice. “Um….. hey…” Then he suddenly realized that he had left his table and was now standing at the fountain watching this beautiful stranger.

“I’m Karis.” She stepped up onto the ledge and lowered her dress, holding her hand out to him. “What’s your name?”

“Uh….” What was his name? Oh. Right. “Alex… I’m Alex.” He took her hand and a jolt raced up his arm. It was as if she were passing along her vibrantness.

Those bold eyes danced. “Well, Alex…would you care to join me?”

“What?” Join her? “You…um …like… in there?” He nodded towards the fountain.

“Of course! C'mon, you’ll have fun!” She giggled and hopped back off the ledge and into the water, holding her arms out and turning in circles. “This is almost as fun as dancing in the rain.”

Alex glanced around, wondering why no one was trying to stop her. “Aren’t you worried about getting into trouble?” His gaze turned back to her and he felt tummy flutters.

“Why would I get into trouble for enjoying life?” She sent a spray of water in his direction and a few drops spattered across his chest. “I’m not hurting anybody.” She flashed a thousand watt smile that showed off a perfect dimple in her left cheek.

He couldn’t argue there, and nobody seemed to mind. “So, do you normally go around dancing in fountains?”

“Not usually.” She had her head back now, watching up at the starry sky, still twirling in circles. “Sometimes I’ll dance in the rain, or in the middle of a crowded room. Or even on a train.”

“Or in a box or sometimes with a fox?” He teased at her rhyming, quoting from the popular Children’s book Green Eggs & Ham.

She was quick to respond. “I even dance here or there, I like to dance anywhere.”

Alex chuckled low. “Dr. Seuss.”

“I loved that book growing up.” She was looking at him again, her head tilted with the sweetest expression on her face. “Well, that one and The Cat in the Hat.

He couldn’t explain the bubbly feeling in his chest, but suddenly he wanted to laugh. “I remember The Cat in the Hat.” He seriously could not believe he was standing here talking to some girl dancing in the fountain and discussing Dr. Seuss books. This was new.

“It’s a classic.” She did a pirouette then turned her attention back onto him. “Are you going to join me?” Those sapphire eyes were twinkling and beckoning him.

“Uh…I um…” His cocoa colored eyes glanced around quickly. He wasn’t so sure if he wanted to get up there with her and dance around in the chilly water. Besides, he was here with someone; he couldn’t just go traipsing around with this stranger.

“Ooh, come on…” her full lips curved into a teasing grin. “…live a little bit. What’s the fun of life if you don’t enjoy it?” As she spoke she ran her hand under a stream of water then flicked it towards him.

Alex was half tempted to. Her eyes, her mannerisms, that dimple, and most importantly, her laugh were drawing him in. She was filling his head and he was more drawn to her than he had been to anyone before. It puzzled him but he did not dwell on that thought for very long. Later, when he was alone, he could sit and ponder this attraction, wonder just what it was that was bewitching him and causing him to want to throw all caution to the wind and climb barefoot into the fountain.

“Dance with me.” She reached towards him, moving closer and extending her hands.

He wet his bottom lip and looked to her hands; they looked delicate, yet warm and inviting, and he found himself reaching for them.

“Alex?”

The voice came from behind him and he whirled, feeling himself hurtling back down to the world around him. “Huh, what?”

A thin brunette stood at the edge of the patio, a quizzical expression on her beautiful features. She had long chestnut hair that framed a heart shaped face, and big, doe like, vibrant green eyes. A deep blue dress with spaghetti straps and a flowing skirt swirled around her legs and she was clutching a black evening bag with both hands. “What are you doing?”

“Uh….” Alex was speechless. What was he doing? He didn’t know. He shook his head a little bit, trying to clear the fog out of it. “Um…I…uh, nothing.”

The girl looked rather perplexed. “Um….are you…done eating?”

“No.” He shook his head and started over to where she stood. “I um…it’s nothing.”

“Are you sure?” She peered around him and towards the woman in the fountain.

Alex glanced back to see her twirling again, the bottom of her dress soaked. She appeared to have slipped back into her happy place and forgotten about him. “Yeah, I’m sure. C’mon, let’s finish our meal.” Then he placed a hand on her back and steered her over towards their table, pulling her chair out before taking his own seat.

“Who is that woman?”

Alex glanced back towards the fountain and gave a little sigh, returning his gaze over to his girlfriend. “Um… I don’t know.”

“What do you mean? You were over there talking to her.” She didn’t sound accusing, more like confused and perplexed.

He put his napkin back into his lap and watched Ainsley Porter. The two had been dating for about nine months now, exclusively for six. She was different than his usual type and he had found that refreshing and nice. It felt good to be in a relationship where he wasn’t being used or taken advantage of, and the other person involved liked him for who Alex was, not AJ or what he could do for them. They had met through a mutual friend and Alex had no intention of pursuing the beautiful woman because she just hadn’t been his type. She was reserved, quiet, modest and respected herself. And she hadn’t been interested in giving the pop icon the time of day.

Until, that was, they were supposed to attend a baseball game with their friend but he couldn’t make it. Alex had been forced to sit through nine innings with Ainsley, though by the bottom of the fifth he was sitting there by his choice. She was not only beautiful, but witty and engaging and he found himself wanting to know more about her and see her vivid eyes light up as she talked about things that were dear to her. Knowing he could make her laugh filled him inside and after the game they spent another couple hours at a restaurant across the street from the stadium. By the end of the night, they had a date planned for that weekend and the next three months was spent dating, getting to know one another more and growing close. Six months ago they had decided to take their relationship to the next level and had become exclusive, which was new for the tattooed gentleman, but with this woman, he had been willing to give it a try.

“I just … um…” Alex honestly couldn’t explain why he had gone over there. “I just thought it was strange she was standing in a fountain.”

“It is strange.” His girlfriend glanced that way once more. “Maybe she isn’t right in the head.”

He wasn’t sure what she was in the head. “Who knows.”

Ainsley shrugged some and twirled her fork around in her chicken salad. “Well, whatever.” She shrugged the other woman out of her mind and turned her full attention back to her boyfriend. “So, how were your meetings today?”

“They were alright. We managed to get a lot figured out which is very surprising because usually the four of us can hardly agree on anything lately.” He was referring to himself and the other three members of the popular music group The Backstreet Boys. They had just finished another album and had been trying to plan a promotional tour before the actual tour was to take place. Normally these things went off without a hitch but lately the quartet was having the worst time trying to get onto the same page. Each member had a different idea with how to do the promoting, they wanted to go to different places and they all wanted to go at different times. This was faring to be the worst album prep that they had had yet.

“Yeah?” She speared some lettuce and took a bite, keeping her attention on him.

He nodded and cut into his chicken. “We’re going to do some radio promotional tours in June for a few weeks then get into the television interviews; MTV, David Letterman, Regis and Kelly…GMA, you know.”

“Ooh, that sounds really cool.” She flashed her pearly whites. “It’s going to be so weird to see you on TV though.”

“You think so?” His eyes twinkled. Their relationship had been evolving as he and the other guys had been in the studio writing and recording. She had gone down and met him for lunch there a few times and sat in on a few sessions, but she had not gotten to experience his shows, or the fame that came along with being a celebrity. So far they were having a normal relationship, but Alex had been sure to warn her about the craziness that would soon ensue; his weeks away from home and all the attention from press, paparazzi and fans they would surely be receiving. She’d seemed positive about things, but worried a little bit that it would affect them. While he hadn’t been able to promise it wouldn’t, he had reassured her that he was going to try his hardest to make what they had work.

“I do. And I’m so excited to finally see one of your shows!”

“I know, baby. I can’t wait until you see us either. You’re going to love it.”

Ainsley gave a cute giggle. “Maybe I should paint my face and make a glitter sign.”

Alex chuckled. “I dare you to.”

“Ooh, don’t dare me, because I will. I’ll talk to Marley and we’ll go total teeny on you and Nick.”

He laughed at that; the mental more hilarious to him at the moment. He could just picture Ainsley with his name painted on her cheeks and a huge poster board decorated with his pictures and some catchy little phrase. “Man, if you tell Marley, then I know you two will show up decked out like the ultimate fan.”

His girlfriend tee hee’d and took a sip of her water.

“So, how was your day?” He questioned once he had calmed down enough to speak clearly.

“Long.” She set her water glass down and adjusted the silver bangle bracelets around her wrist. “We have this new resident doctor that drives me up the wall. Always barking this or that, not even listening to what anyone has to say. And he’s such a pig.” Her cute little button nose wrinkled. “I’m just waiting for him to hit on me so I can report him.”

“Aren’t all doctors like that though? Least the ones on television always are.”

“Heh, they’re not supposed to be. Your internship is supposed to be learning experiences where you can use the knowledge you’ve gained from medical school.” Her green eyes clouded some. “But this guy is such a dick and every day I have to see him I want to smack him across the face.”

Alex pouted some at his girlfriend’s frustrations. “Is he like that one doctor on Scrubs?”

“If that guy is a pompous ass, then yes.”

He wanted to chuckle because she was so cute when she got all fired up, but he knew it wouldn’t be appropriate. “I’m sorry, baby. But I know you and you always make the most out of the worst situations.”

“I’m definitely trying.” She sighed and lifted her fork again, dragging the tines through the salad. “I just hope I can survive the next seven months then pass the boards and get my residency. He’s going to make it so tough.”

Alex reached across the table and took her hand. “You’re going to be just fine. You’ll get through this internship with flying colors and ace that test. You’re gonna be the best pediatrician in the state.”

Her green eyes shone at him. “You really think so?”

He matched her smile. “I know so.”

That made her smile and she squeezed his hand. “Gosh, I love you.” As soon as the words left her mouth her eyes widened and her lips formed a small ‘o’.

He blinked at that, feeling his heart doing a leap against his ribcage. Had he heard her correctly? Had she really said that? No, no there’s no way; there hadn’t been enough time for her to feel that way yet.

“I um…I…um I….I um I mean….” She was stammering and tripping over her words, her peaches and cream complexion growing pale. Nervously, she tucked some hair behind her ear. “That …that’s not…I…um….”

With his heart beating away in his chest, Alex watched this amazing woman across from him. Her stammers and that absolutely petrified expression in her eyes made his stomach dip and he took her hand again, tugging on it until she met his gaze. “Hey…”

Ainsley bit her cheek and fiddled with the chain of her necklace.

His deep eyes searched hers and he felt something stir inside. This woman was so amazing and perfect for him and he’d be a fool to ignore the feelings he had for her. The past few weeks he had been trying to stuff them away, he knew that things were developing and growing, changing for the better. But he hadn’t expected her to feel the same way, at least not yet. Without a doubt he loved her, but without a doubt he was scared to death.

Wetting his bottom lip, Alex smoothed his thumb over the back of her hand. “Do… do you really love me?” His voice was so low that she had to strain her ears to hear him. This was the moment of truth. Either she would deny it and it would probably be months and months before either one brought it up again, or she would say it again and he would tell her he felt the same way. Then they’d go back to his place and make love and he would spend the entire night worshipping her body. This was a turning point in their relationship, but was it for the better, or worse?

She hesitated then gave a nod, her cheeks flushing a light shade of pink. “Yes….”

Her tone matched his and he leaned over the table, closer to her. “Say it.” It was barely a whisper.

The rise and fall of her chest was sharp and he could hear her intake of breath. That dainty pink tongue darted out and the tip touched her top lip. The air around the two was thick and the sounds of the other diners; the plates clinking, their murmuring voices and the soft music had faded, leaving only them in this moment. “I love you…”

The smile slowly grew over his face and he felt his heart warming; leaping and trying to soar right out of his chest. He lifted her hand and pressed his lips to her palm, holding it there and closing his eyes a moment, relishing in the feeling and not sure if he could even speak right yet. Her hand trembled against his mouth and he gave a soft sigh, knowing she was probably on edge wondering if he felt the same way.

Kissing her palm softly again, he lowered their hands back to the table and met her gaze, having the sudden urge to pull her into his arms and hold her close. “I love you.”

Her shoulders visibly sagged as a look of relief washed over her. “You do?”

Alex nodded and kissed her fingers, then her palm, then her wrist. “More than you know.”

“R…really?” Tears were gathering in her eyes and she wiped at the corners of them with her free hand.

He gave another nod and cupped her hand with his, holding the back of it to his cheek, his gaze still on her. “Really, baby.”

Ainsley giggled low and covered her mouth with her other hand, her cheeks blushing again.

“Aww, baby…” He reached out and traced a finger over the blush.

Her fingers caught his and she brushed her lips over them.

The moment was perfect; there weren’t too many words to describe it or even speak, but neither needed that. Those three simple ones had said it all and it was enough. Two souls have found each other nine months ago and had now formed a love that was slowly growing into something grand and bigger than the both of them. This kind of love was new to him, and as scary as that was, he knew that need for her was unlike the need he’d had for anyone before. So he would push through the fear, because his experience with past relationships was enough to know this was one he needed to hold onto, with everything he had.

“Baby?”

Her sweet voice broke through his thoughts and he blinked some, kissing her knuckles and finally lowering her hand. “Yes, my love?”

“You wanna get out of here? I’d kind of like to maybe…go somewhere a little more private.”

“Anything for you.” Reluctantly, he released her hand and signaled for the waiter.

Ainsley smiled and gathered her purse, fiddling with the strap and watching as Alex paid the bill and signed the receipt. Then he stood and held his hand for hers, helping her up and giving her lips a soft kiss. Together, they started from the patio, heading back into the building to cut through and leave through the front doors where they had parked.

Alex smoothed his hand to her back as he paused to let her head inside first. Nodding at an older woman who watched the couple with a sweet reminiscing expression, he tugged some on his suit jacket then took a step for the French doors. But a sudden laughter stopped him in his tracks. It bubbled up and sent a shiver down his spine and he turned, feeling his heart skipping a beat as he met the round, doe like, sapphire eyes of the angel in white that had been fountain dancing.

She was now standing amongst the flowers with one tucked behind her ear. As their eyes met, she gave another melodious laugh and twirled a flower between her fingers. Then she tossed it up into the air and did a spin, her dress billowing around her legs. He felt frozen in his spot, watching as she tossed flower after flower into the air and soon a hail of bright colors fluttered around her. She giggled again and looked back his way, giving a wave then blowing a kiss.

“Goodnight, Sam I am.”

Though she was on the other side of the patio, Alex heard her sweet voice clear as day and a shudder ran through him. His throat quickly grew dry and he could not force himself to tear his gaze from her. She captivated him and he felt mesmerized by everything about her. She truly bewitched him and he would have probably stood there all night had his girlfriend not called for him.

With a start, he jerked and looked her way, wondering what the hell was wrong with him. “I’m um…I’m coming.” He quickly hurried inside but not without one more glance to the flowers, only finding it empty and the angel in white nowhere. Feeling more perplexed than ever, he caught up to Ainsley and took her hand. “You ready?”

“I am.” She gave the most loving expression and leaned up, kissing his cheek.

“Then let’s go.” Giving her hand a squeeze, he led her from the restaurant and away from the enchanting blonde he only knew as Karis.