- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I should be working on Once In A Blue Moon or Shades of Gray, but this one was feeling neglected. Updates on the others soon! :)
Alex didn’t realize how badly he’d needed the day to let loose and just be until he and Karis were trotting the horses back toward the stable. Sitting there atop the chestnut colored mare, he felt like he could conquer the world. All the stress and worries that had been plaguing him were gone and replaced with a newfound feeling of fulfillment. His shoulders felt lighter and his back more relaxed and he realized he was looking at his surroundings with a different eye.

“Thank you.” He looked over to his companion who was atop her own cream colored horse.

She turned to him; pulling her hair over her shoulders and giving that grin that made him melt a little. “You’re welcome.”

Alex steered his horse around a tree branch. “I think sometimes people get so wrapped up in their daily life they forget to take time out for the small stuff.”

“Like cliff diving or horseback riding.”

“Exactly.” He nodded some. “How did you know I needed this?”

Karis pushed some low hanging tree branches from her way, ducking her head some. “I could see it in your eyes. They’d lost their twinkle.”

“Their twinkle?”

“Mmhmm, you know, that glint you get when you’re happy and enjoying life; not being weighed down by the drama or stress.”

He tilted his head, wondering how long this twinkle had been missing for. “Well, you certainly have the twinkle in yours.”

She chuckled. “I know, I make sure of it.”

“Did you ever lose your twinkle?”

She turned her mesmerizing eyes his way and he felt his heart skip a beat. “Once; and I made a pact to never let it happen again.”

“How do you do that? Not let life get you down and bury you?”

Her slender shoulders shrugged some. “Find a reason to live for.”

Alex nodded in understanding and the two fell into a comfortable silence; just letting the air rustling through the trees and the birds singing their song fill in around them. They trotted the horses along the path they’d come and cleared the trees, coming out into the pasture the stable sat in.

Once out in the open, Alex shifted his gaze for any sights of people or the police in case the missing horses were noticed, but it was still and just like they’d left it. “I don’t think anyone saw us.”

“Told you.” She smirked then slipped from her horse once they were back in front of the open stable doors. Alex joined her on the ground and together, they led the animals back inside to be de-saddled, brushed out and fed.

“Do you do this often?” He questioned once the horses were taken care of and back into their stalls.

Karis finished washing her hands at the large sink over in the corner. “Ride horses?”

He shrugged and tossed the paper towels he had dried his hands with. “Well, I was meaning more, steal horses.”

“I told you, we were just borrowing them. They’re safe and sound and back where they belong.”

“Do you borrow horses often?”

A shrug. “Only when I want to ride.” She moved up next to him. “You ready to go?”

He nodded and soon the two were back in the Jeep and on their way toward the highway. “How did you find that place?”

“I’ve known about it for years.” She looked his way. “Are you hungry?”

“I’m starving, actually.” His eyes glanced to the dashboard clock and stretched. “Shit, is it already after six?”

Karis chuckled. “That’s what the clock says. Burgers okay?”

Guilt immediately flooded through him at having forgotten about Ainsley most the afternoon. “Um…they sound great, but I can’t. I have to get back home.”

“Oh.” She nodded some and gave a shrug. “Too bad, but okay; I’ll take you back to the studio.”

He watched her for a moment and wet his bottom lip before speaking, “Raincheck on burgers?” He knew he shouldn’t, but he wanted to see her again. Besides, they weren’t doing anything wrong; just hanging out as friends.

She gave that heart melting grin. “You got yourself a deal.”

Alex grinned and settled back in the seat. “Great.”

The rest of the ride to the studio was in mutual and comfortable silence with a little bit of small talk mixed in. There was no pressure to talk about anything and it was nice not to have to rack his brain to think up a subject or what they could talk about next.

Finally, Karis pulled into the studio parking lot and he directed her to his Cayenne. She pulled alongside it and put the Jeep into park, letting the engine idle. “So, this has been fun.”

A small grin formed over his lips. “It really has been. Thank you.”

“Oh, it’s nothing.”

“No,” he reached out and touched her arm, “it is something. I really needed today.”

Her head was resting against the seat and she lifted it and turned her body to face his more. “Well, you’re welcome. I’m glad you had a good time.”

“I did.” He reached for his buckle and slipped it over his shoulder. “How ‘bout you give me your number and I’ll give you a call sometime.”

“Sure.”

She relayed it and he entered it into his phone then slipped it back into his pocket. “Okay, then um…I’ll give you a call soon.”

“Don’t wait too long.”

He chuckled. “I won’t.” Then he reached for the door handle and pushed the door open.

“Alex, wait.” She reached and caught his arm, drawing him closer and back into the vehicle.

“Yeah?” He wet his bottom lip, feeling his heart start to pound harder.

She smiled and brushed her fingers over his cheek then up through the hair at his temple. “I just wanted to say that the twinkle is back.”

A small grin tugged at his lips. “It is?”

She nodded and traced her fingertips down along his jaw line, tracing the beard there. “It is.”

Her breath tickled the skin of his neck and he found himself leaning closer, closing the small distance that was between them. “Good.”

“Yes,” she breathed out as her head tilted and their mouths met in a soft, barely there kiss.

It was so light, but Alex felt the shocks jolt him and his heart leapt up into his throat. One hand moved to the back of her neck and he drew her even closer, their mouths locked in a heated kiss. The floodgates had opened and he was surrounded with her scent, shivers racing down his spine. Her hand moved up into his hair and resulted in a throaty sound and he nipped at her lower lip then kissed her more intensely.

She returned the heated kisses with her own fervor and Alex felt his head start to swim. Pretty soon he wouldn’t know what way was up or down, nor would he even care. Her hands were roaming through his hair then over his shoulders to his chest and he felt his body responding.

Then suddenly as it started, it ended and Alex blinked his eyes open.

Karis was watching him, her cheeks flushed.

Shit. With a sigh, he sat back and ran a hand over his face. “That…that shouldn’t have happened.”

“Why not?” She reached for his arm. “It was just a kiss.”

He felt the guilt filling his chest and mentally kicked himself hard. “I…I have to go.” Then he was pulling away and slipping from the vehicle before she could protest. Quickly, he slipped his keys from his pocket and was inside his Cayenne in mere seconds. Glancing to the Jeep, he bit his bottom lip at the expression on the beautiful blonde’s face and kicked himself again for letting it get that far. What had he been thinking? Seriously.

Taking a breath, Alex started up his SUV and got himself buckled then put the vehicle in gear and backed from the spot. He glanced to the Jeep once more to see it still sitting there and his stomach rolled. What she must be thinking right now. That nearly brought him to a stop, but he pushed through it. He couldn’t go back and try to explain things; she’d think he was only back peddling. The best thing to do was just leave things like they were and get himself out of the situation. That meant going home, which is exactly where he was going; back to Ainsley, who never had to know about any of this. Ever.

~*~*~*~*~

“Baby, are you okay?” Ainsley questioned her boyfriend. This was the third day in a row he seemed a little off and she was beginning to think something was seriously wrong. Rather it be him, something with his career or them, she wanted to know. She’d come over after work to find him sitting in his living room in the dark; the curtains drawn, just staring ahead like he was lost in his own world.

Alex jerked and looked to her, snapping out of his daze. “Hey, I didn’t hear you come in.”

“That’s cuz you were on another planet, I think.” She sank down next to him and kissed his cheek. “Why are you sitting in the dark?”

He sighed and fiddled with his jeans. Moving past the kiss and trying to forget about it was harder to do than he’d thought it would be. Guilt was eating at him from the inside out and he wanted to tell Ainsley so badly that he’d had to bite his tongue a few times to keep it from coming out. It would only do harm and he didn’t want to hurt her or their relationship. She was the first girl he’d felt like he could be himself with and he didn’t want to lose her. Besides, it was just one kiss. It wouldn’t be happening again, so time to put it behind him.

But something wouldn’t let him; his conscience and the fact that she was so good to him and he had been a complete dog. Maybe he just needed to tell her and hope that she wouldn’t kill him. “Um…Ainsley…” he wet his bottom lip and turned his ever expressive eyes onto her.

“What is it, honey?” She tilted her head some, trying to remain calm, but the tone in his voice causing her stomach to knot up. Ainsley wasn’t blind; she knew something was going on, but Alex wasn’t the type to be poked or prodded into confessing anything, so whatever news he was withholding, he had to come forward with in his own time.

“Um…” shit, he was so nervous he felt like he might be sick, “there’s something that I need to tell you.”

“Okay.” She tucked a leg up under her and watched him, her hand gently smoothing along his arm.

He wet his bottom lip. “Um…well-” The sound of his girlfriend’s pager going off, interrupted him.

Ainsley frowned and pulled it from the hip of her lilac colored scrubs. “Bah, it’s the hospital.”

“Seriously? You just left there.”

“I know,” she made a cute little face, “it’s an emergency; probably something like an overturned bus or something. They need all the manpower they can get.”

Alex frowned some. He didn’t know if he’d ever get the courage back up to tell her what happened. “You have to go, huh?”

Her lips formed a thin line and she nodded. “I do. I’m sorry, baby.” She leaned and kissed his cheek. “I’ll come back over soon as they let me out. We can talk then, okay?”

Alex relented and she apologized again then kissed him and was out the door. He sank back into the couch with a heavy sigh and closed his eyes.

The chimes of his doorbell came just seconds later and he blinked his lids open and rose from his couch. Maybe she had changed her mind. They could just pretend she hadn’t heard her pager. With that thought in mind, he strode from the room to the front door and pulled it open.

Karis’ face greeted him on the other side.

Alex’s eyes stretched. “Um…Karis…”

“Hey,” she sent him a sheepish grin, “surprise!”

Surprise was right. “What…what are you doing here?” He poked his head out and glanced around at his yard then back to her. How had she found him?

“Well…I wanted to talk to you. You hadn’t called me yet and I don’t like waiting days on end…so my uncle gave me your address. I hope that’s okay.”

The look in her eyes made his insides melt and he shook his head. “No, it’s um…you’re fine. Come on in.” Then he moved back from the doorway and let her step past the threshold. “You’re talking about your uncle from the studio, right?” He questioned once she was inside and the door was shut securely behind her.

“He’s the only uncle I have.”

Alex chuckled. “Least you got that one.”

Karis watched him a moment then a beautiful smile lit up her face and he hated how it made his heart skip a beat. “So, how ya been?”

“Good, how ‘bout yourself?” He motioned her on to the living room then followed behind and took one end of the couch, Karis seating herself next to him.

“I’m good.” She tilted her head and studied him. “Are you okay?”

His eyes cut to her. “Yeah, why? Do I not look okay? What’s okay supposed to look like?”

She drew a shoulder up in a simple shrug. “You look a little stressed over something.”

He sighed and rubbed his forehead. “I just got a lot on my mind.”

“I see.” She was quiet a moment then gently nudged his side. “I wanted to tell you that I’m sorry for kissing you the other night.”

Alex looked to her. “You are?”

“Mmhmm, we were just having a fun, relaxing day and that kiss turned it into something else.”

“Oh, yeah.”

“Not that I don’t think you’re a great guy, but I’m just not looking for anything right now,” she explained, reaching and taking his hand in hers.

Well, that looked like the problem had taken care of itself. He didn’t need to worry about anything between them and Ainsley wouldn’t have to find out about his slight indiscretion. "You mean my delightful charm and dashing good looks haven’t won you over?”

She laughed and his heart gave a flutter. “If I was looking for something, most certainly, but I just want to enjoy life and have fun and not worry about the stresses or drama of a relationship.”

“That sounds very nice.” He had to agree there, but relationships had their positives too and most the time they outweighed the bad.

“It is.” She studied him a moment. “So, we’re good?”

“Of course.” He nodded and squeezed her hand then released it.

“Good. Then how ‘bout some lunch?” She rose to her feet and gently tugged him until he was standing next to her.

“Right, we have a raincheck, don’t we?”

“Sure do. Let’s go.” She herded him toward the foyer. “You need anything?”

“Just my keys and hat.” He quickly snatched them from the kitchen then rejoined her. “Anywhere specific you want to go?”

Her smile answered his question for him. “There’s the best little place out on A1A a little ways. You’ll love it.”

“Great, lead the way.” He pulled the door open then they filed out onto the porch. Soon they were in her Jeep and heading away from the smog of the city to the fresh breeze that the ocean was blowing their way.

Alex relaxed in the seat and closed his eyes behind his shades. He was relaxed and peaceful at the moment and couldn’t explain why the presence of the beautiful lady next to him made him feel that way. He opened his eyes and shifted his gaze to watch her and he couldn’t help the smile that moved over his lips.

She was beautiful with her long flowing blonde hair and the look of pure joy in her eyes. He’d never seen a woman who looked as comfortable and just happy to be as Karis did. And there was something inside of him that longed to know her secret. It was like she hadn’t a care in the world and Alex was slightly jealous of that. How many times he wished he could just forget about his long list of to do’s and just take of somewhere to forget about the world.

“You know,” he spoke up, breaking the comfortable silence that had fallen over the two. “Every time I’ve seen you, you’ve been so relaxed like you don’t have a single worry.”

Her stunning blue eyes locked on his chocolate ones. “I don’t. What is there to worry about?”

Alex tilted his head. “Lots of things; relationships with people, your job, your house, bills you may have, debt you may owe, your health, your friends and families.”

“And what would worrying about all that accomplish?”

He didn’t reply and Karis chuckled low. “Exactly. It doesn’t do anything but give you ulcers and keep you from sleep at night.” The light ahead turned red and she slowed to a stop. “So why waste your time agonizing over something that’s out of your control and instead, focus that energy on something useful, something that will make you happy.”

He mulled her words over slowly in his head. “How do you make yourself stop worrying?”

Karis pushed her blonde locks from her face, shifting sideways in the seat to watch him. “You have to just realize that wasting time worrying doesn’t get you anything but heartache. And you have to find that strength deep down inside of you and hold onto it.”

“I bet you were a priestess or something in your past life.”

Her laughter stirred something inside of him. “What makes you say that?”

He chuckled and tried to push aside the feeling. “Because you’re unbelievably wise in your young age.”

Karis settled back into her seat and accelerated through the now green light. “I’ve just learned how to live my life so I enjoy every minute.”

“Rough past?”

For the first time he saw something dark pass over her eyes, but she quickly blinked it away. “Let me just say I’m focusing on my future and there is no more worrying.”

Alex smiled at her response. It sounded good to him. He knew he hit a sore note with his comment about her past, and while it made him curious to know what she’d been through and what had made her change her way of thinking, he didn’t want to bring it up again and make that beautiful smile that was growing on him disappear.

~*~*~*~*~

“I had fun today.”

Alex smiled at her, removing his shades and hooking them onto the collar of his shirt. “Me too.”

“We’ll have to do it again.”

“What? Have lunch together again?”

“Of course.” Karis reached and nudged his arm. “You’re a fun guy to hang out with. I’m glad we’re doing so.”

“Me too.” He let his eyes rest on hers a bit longer than he probably should have. “I’ve had a lot of fun too actually.”

“Noooo,” her eyes danced with merriment as she teased him. “Even when I pressured you into stealing a horse?”

Alex laughed and gave her a gentle push so she leaned into the door of her jeep. “I would have feigned stupidity had we gotten caught. Told them I thought they were your horses.”

“Sure and let me take the blame.”

“Of course.” He winked at her then unbuckled his seat belt; hoping things didn’t suddenly become awkward with their goodbyes. He knew he couldn’t kiss her again.

“Alright, well, I’ll come get you next time I wanna do something wild and crazy.” She remained buckled and in her own seat and he relaxed a bit at that.

“So I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

Karis laughed at that and Alex realized he didn’t want to get out of the Jeep.

Her eyes danced at him. “You never know.” Then she winked and across him to push open his door. “Goodbye, Alex.”

Her face was just inches from his. He could smell the sweet scent of her perfume and it made his breath catch in his throat. Was she going to kiss him? His heart began to pound harder against his chest at that thought. He tried to speak, but nothing came out.

An amused grin tugged at the corner of her mouth and she let her lips brush every so lightly against his before slowly pulling back. “I’ll see you later.”

“Um…yeah…right,” he stumbled over his words then extracted himself from the vehicle. With one more stammered goodbye, he turned and made his escape up to his porch then finally inside.

What the hell was wrong with him? She looks at him and his heart ricochets around in his chest, she touches him and he goes completely stupid. These were not the reactions he should be having, especially not when he was so in love with his girlfriend.

Girlfriend, right. Speaking of Ainsley, maybe he could go pay her a little visit at the hospital. He certainly needed to get his mind off Karis and he could really use some reaffirmation with Ainsely and their relationship. He loved his girlfriend and he didn’t even know this Karis girl. So then why did she make him feel the way he did? And why did he want nothing more than to pull her into his arms?

Giving a groan at that thought, he pushed away from the door and headed for the stairs. He’d take a quick shower then head on to the hospital. He really needed to see his girlfriend.