- Text Size +
Agent Davenport sat in his car staring at the business card Mia had given him earlier and was trying to decide whether or not to decipher it. Taking a deep breath, he reached over and opened his glove compartment and took out the penlight that Mia gave him to decipher the invisible ink on the card. He clicked the penlight and shined it on the card. Printed in black ink, now visible in the beam of the penlight, an address and a few cell phone numbers were scribbled on the card. He studied it for a bit until he heard a familiar tone of voice in the distance.

He looked up and saw Mia come out of the Music Lounge followed by a tall blond guy with three other guys, who he recognized as the Backstreet Boys. There were five burly security guards surrounding them. Agent Davenport saw the tall blond guy wrap his arm around Mia as they waited for the valet to pick up their SUVs. He whispered something in Mia’s ear that triggered her to laugh. Agent Davenport had never seen Mia act that way before. On their missions together, Mia had always been tough and aggressive in combat and seeing her with the Backstreet Boys and acting “girly” was a strange juxtaposition.

Agent Davenport watched as Mia, the Backstreet Boys and their guards entered in separate black SUVs. He waited until the SUVs drove away before he turned his ignition on and followed them discreetly, unaware that another car had pulled out from a back alley and was now following him.

Mia stood at the door of her suite as she turned to face Nick.

“You look beautiful tonight, Babe,” Nick said, softly, as one side of his face turned up into that famous Carter smirk.

“Thanks, you don’t look too bad yourself,” Mia replied, looking up at him.

Nick leaned forward and captured her lips in his. He moved his body closer as he deepened the kiss slightly. They stood in the hallway making out, oblivious to the bodyguards who stood around in awkward silence. After a few more seconds of making out, Mia and Nick finally pulled apart.

“Goodnight, Nick,” Mia said, slightly breathless from his scorching kiss.

“Goodnight,” he said, and planted a soft kiss on her cheek before slipping through his own suite next door to Mia’s.

As soon as Mia got inside and closed her door, she froze when she came face to face with Agent Davenport, who was standing in her suite.

“What the Hell are you doing here?” she whispered shrilly, worried that Nick or the bodyguards would hear her if she yelled. “How did you get in here anyway?” she demanded, narrowing her eyes at him.

“I came in through the balcony,” he answered. She felt relieved when he was using hush tones.

“Do you realize that if anyone finds you in my suite, they’ll get suspicious and wonder why you’re here?” Mia continued, crossing her arms across her chest defensively.

“Mia…”

“It’s White Tiger,” Mia corrected him, taking off her dangly earrings and setting them on the side table.

“Sorry,” he mumbled, “White Tiger, I know I should have gone to the safe-house or called you first, but I had to see you.”

“So you followed me?” she began, but he cut her off.

“Let me finish. The reason why I left APO without notifying anyone was because I knew my partner was after me. He’s working for Roger Black and was after the disk for himself. I think he was the one who sent those ninjas to attack me and brought me to Regina.”

“Agent Rochester is working for Roger Black?” Mia repeated. That’s definitely news…I wonder if Ken knows. she thought.

Agent Davenport continued, “Somehow, Rochester was able to convince them I was a double agent. He’s desperate to get his hands on that disc, which is why I stole it out of the APO vault and kept it with me. I figured he would go after it using me as some sort of cover. I’m not sure what he’s planning exactly. That’s all I know as of yet.”

Mia stood there letting everything he had told her sink in. She finally took her shoes off and set them next to her suitcase.

“He’s also told them that you guys were working against the CIA and purposefully withdrawing information from them. That’s why I’ve been in hiding; there’s no way I could convince anyone of the truth. That’s why I’ve also cut my hair and changed my look. I’m basically on top of their most wanted list now. Yeah, they bumped Black down to number two,” he added.

“That’s ridiculous! We settled to a mutual agreement to help each other in cracking this case. Why can’t the CIA see that they are not the only ones who protect this country?”

She gave a huge sigh and turned to him.

“Do you have the disk with you now?” Mia asked when suddenly there was a knock on the door. They both froze for a second. Mia sternly warned Agent Davenport to keep quiet.

“Who…Who is it?” Mia asked, trying to sound casual. Agent Davenport remained silent.

“Baby, it’s me,” Nick said on the other side of the door. “Can I come in?”

Mia gave Agent Davenport a look that told him to disappear, and he immediately went out into the little balcony and shut the door, hiding behind the curtains.

“Just a second… I’ll be right there…um…I’m not dressed yet,” she called out.

Mia dashed into the bathroom to take her dress off and threw on her robe as she went to answer the door. She opened the door and greeted Nick nonchalantly.

“Hey,” she said, gesturing him to come in. She hoped he wouldn’t notice how out of breath she was.

“Um…I just wanted to see if we could hang out,” he stammered.

Mia thought he looked incredibly cute as he stood there squirming awkwardly.

“Sure,” she said.

“And I wanted to make sure you’re okay. You know, no crazy stalker fans or guys messing with you,” he added, bashfully.

Mia smiled. She never had anyone look out for her before. She was so used to protecting herself; it was nice to have a little protection from someone other than herself for a change.

“Okay, well let me go change and we’ll talk about what we’re going to do tonight,” Mia said, heading to the bedroom.

“Hurry back,” Nick said grinning.

Mia came back after a few minutes wearing gray sweatpants and a T-shirt that says “I (heart) boy bands” and had South Park characters resembling the Backstreet Boys.

Nick looked up and rolled his eyes at her shirt.

“Nice shirt,” he groaned and then laughed.

Mia laughed with him. “Oh yeah, my sister gave it to make fun of me.”

It was actually true. Aundrea had given her the shirt as a joke when Mia told her that she was going on a date with Nick Carter from the Backstreet Boys.

Mia joined Nick on the couch and snuggled up against him.

“So what do you want to do?” he asked, wrapping his arms around Mia.

“We could watch a movie,” she suggested and tried to figure out what she was going to do with Agent Davenport who was currently hiding on the balcony.

“It’s a little muggy in here, mind if I open the window or something?” Nick said getting up from the couch.

He headed to the door leading to the balcony. Mia immediately jumped up from the couch and wrapped her arms around Nick trapping his arms before they reached out and opened the curtains.

Nick turned and looked down at Mia attached to his midsection. “What are you doing?” he asked with a laugh.

“I wanted you to stay with me on the couch. Do you really want to open the balcony? Someone could be out there stocking us…or you,” she said, trying to sound convincing and hoping that Agent Davenport could hear her warning through the glass doors.

Nick laughed. “Mia, don’t be ridiculous!” he said and broke free from Mia’s grasp.

Mia took in a deep breath and prepared for the worst. Nick threw open the curtains. Mia breathed a sigh of relief when she found that the balcony was empty. Nick opened the balcony door and stepped outside and letting the cool air in the room.

“See no one’s out here but us,” Nick said, oblivious to the fact that Agent Davenport had just been standing where he now stood. “Come on. It’s safe, I promise.” He grinned and held out his hand for her.

She took Nick’s hand and stepped out onto the balcony with Nick and looked around for Agent Davenport. She looked up and saw him standing at the edge of an awning above them. Agent Davenport put a finger to his lips as soon as he saw her. Luckily, it was dark out and he looked almost invisible.

“Beautiful night tonight,” Nick commented.

“Yeah,” Mia agreed wrapping her arms around Nick’s waist again and pretended to shiver intensely.

Nick put his arm around her and rubbed his hands on her shoulder and arms.

“You cold?” he asked.

“Yeah, a little.”

“Okay, let’s go back inside then. I don’t want you catching a cold or anything,” Nick said, authoritatively.

As they turned around to go back inside, Mia glanced up to the awning expecting to see Agent Davenport still there but found that it was empty.