- Text Size +
Around 8pm when Baylee finally tired himself out, Brian walked in carrying Baylee and Leighanne with Mark, sound asleep. Howie and Alex were already there chatting with Nick and Brian. Once Mark and Baylee were on the spare bed in the adjoining bedroom, Brian and Leighanne snuggled together on the sofa, Howie and Alex sharing the other sofa, Nick leaning against the kitchen bench and Brianna in front of a chair at the dining table.
“So what’s all this about?” Howie asked once everyone was settled.
“I’m only going to say this once. Howie, Alex, you can tell Leigh and Karen but whatever is said here, it doesn’t go beyond these doors.” Brianna replied.
“No problem.” Alex agreed.
“The reason why I haven’t quite been myself while we’ve been in Chicago is because of the fact that when I lived here, it wasn’t that good. Started after my parents died.” Brianna started to say.
“What happened?” Nick asked looking concerned.
“After my parents died, as I was only 15, I was placed into care. There was no other family so care was the only option. Being a teenager, no one wanted to have a teenager in the home, stereotypes, etc. After finally finding a home, things started to look up. But that was only the beginning of my troubles.” Brianna continued.
“Oh?” Howie commented.
“D.” Nick said.
“I knew things bad happened with people in care but I was blind to see that it was happening to me. I went from home to home and it continued this way. I was relieved when it was my 18th birthday. I could escape.” Brianna said, walking away to the window looking outside the Chicago night skyline.
“I thought I could escape but I truly couldn’t escape. It kept creeping up on me. It was controlling me. I crossed the line between right and wrong.” Brianna continued, sighing. Everyone not saying anything. Brianna had to be careful on what she was saying because she had to think of Alex. He understood.
“Right and wrong?” Nick asked.
“When I was in the homes, I was violated. I was abused, verbally and physically. You name it, I had it. I was even forced to have drugs.” Brianna quietly replied, not looking at anyone. In the corner of her eye, she noticed that Alex got up and was walking to her.
“I struggled to get onto my own two feet, I managed to get the job at a club and bring in an income and survive. Just. The income from the job at the club and another couple were overtaking my habit.” Brianna continued, no emotion from her.
“This one night, after a show, I was at the back of the club getting my fix. Coke. I was getting ready to have my fix when I first saw Alex.” Brianna sighed. Gasps from everyone.

“This is back when I was on it bad, just before rehab. Brianna and I got talking, she gave me her number. We actually became friends over the time and then lost in touch when I went in. The first time we came back to Chicago, I phoned her and we caught up. She too was clean like me. From there we remained friends.” Alex explained. No one knew what to say.

Howie had buried his head in his head rubbing his face trying to comprehend everything. Brian and Leighanne just held each other not knowing what to say. The only change Brianna saw in Nick was just his head tilted back further than what it already was and his lips pursed together. Alex was sitting next to Brianna their backs facing the window, waiting for something to happen.

“If you want me to leave, break the contract or whatever I understand.” Brianna said about 10 minutes later trying to break the silence.
“It’s alright. It’s ok. Just a shock with everything you have told us.” Howie spoke up, getting off the sofa, walking over to Brianna.
“I just didn’t want to tell you this way. I didn’t know when. I have been worried about this since day 1.” Brianna said.
“Bri, it’s ok. You have closed that chapter in your life. That’s over and done with. You and AJ have the daily battle still. You don’t need to leave.” Howie told her as he gave her a hug.
“Don’t.” Brian said, hugging her next.
“You have come a long way. I can understand on where you get your stubbornness and extra determination from. You are incredible to have come through all this.” Leighanne told Brianna, hugging, holding onto her tight.
“Nick?” Alex asked as Brian, Leighanne and Howie sat back down. Alex was still next to Brianna.

“What?” Nick asked.
“A answer would be nice man.” Alex said.
“Alex, it’s ok.” Brianna interjected.
“No it’s not ok.” Alex replied looking at Nick seriously.
“We better get going. Got early start in the morning.” Brian cut in. One by one they left, leaving Nick and Brianna alone.

“Please Nick. I was more scared telling you more than anyone.” She pleaded.
“It’s ok. I am just one that when it comes to things like this, I don’t show my emotions that well. I am sorry. Just one of the things about me.” Nick replied.
“You don’t hate me or anything?” She asked.
“No, of course not. It’s alright. Really.” Nick said.
“Really?” She asked cautiously.
“Really.” Nick replied going over to her. He held her tightly.
“Thankyou.” She whispered trying not to cry.