- Text Size +
Once both Mark and Brianna were dressed, Mark opened some of his birthday presents Brianna had bought for him. One of them was a tricycle. This year, Mark’s birthday was on Father’s Day. As Brianna walked with Mark on his tricycle she was thinking was she doing the right thing. Taking Mark to the park where other kids would be with the families. As they arrived at the park, Mark raced on into the park, turning his tricycle sidewards as he had seen many kids do and went on the play equipment.

While she sat on the bench watching Mark, she went into a dreamland of Andrew which she often did. She couldn’t help herself but do it. While in this mood, her phone beeped. Startling her, she jumped and then grabbed her phone and had a look at who sent her the text message. Alex. She grinned.

“Hope you and Mark are enjoying today as much as possible, will be in touch later in day. A” His message read.

For lunch, Brianna treated Mark lunch to McDonalds for a happy meal and then let him play on the play equipment there again just watching him. She couldn’t do much for Mark in what most parents could but she was doing the best she could and Mark didn’t seem to mind. Mark didn’t have many friends just a few play mates at the park. Being Father’s Day she didn’t plan a party for his friends, it would be the following weekend.

When they got home, Mark was ready for a nap after the excitement. While Mark slept, she began to make a cake for his birthday with disastrous results so she made extra blue icing which Mark wanted, that she did successfully did and let it chill in the fridge and began to make the meatballs for their dinner to go with the spaghetti, Mark wanted for his birthday in barbeque sauce. Mark woke up just as Brianna was starting dinner. “He’ll be up all night now.” She thought to herself.

“When is Alex coming?” Mark wondered as they at began to eat in front of the TV, a birthday treat, watching cartoons, Bob The Builder. Mark adored Alex. He knew that Alex that wasn’t his Dad, although for a while Mark did call Alex Dad a few times when Mark first started to talk.
“I don’t know sweetheart. He will be here soon. Come on, have your dinner. Got birthday cake soon.” Brianna replied changing subject quickly. As if he had ESP, The buzzer went off.
“It’s Alex. It’s Alex.” Mark cheered getting up from his seat jumping up and down.
“Settle down.” Brianna laughed.

Alex walked in with boxes stacked up. “Alex.” Brianna groaned going off at him for all the presents.
“Hey, these all aren’t mine. Some of these are from the guys and Karen too.” Alex laughed as he stood in the lounge room. He placed them on the floor, shaking his arms to stop them from stiffening up, giving a hug to Brianna before kneeling down and giving Mark a birthday hug. The other Backstreet Boys, Howie Dorough, Brian Littrell and Nick Carter all adored Mark when Brianna and Mark spent time with them at the studio.

Brianna joined them on the floor, Mark tearing the paper and boxes open getting excited by each present. Paper was being thrown around the room, Alex helping Mark with the toys and things he got, Brianna smiling and marvelling at what he got. “Good thing he had a long nap.” Brianna joked as Mark was opening the last present. Or so she thought. “How long?” Alex asked.
“About 4 hours. I knew you would be over and that would cause him to be over excited so I just let him sleep.” Brianna replied.
“Well this last one may tire him out.” Alex commented as he stood up.
“What do you mean, this last one? Alex, what have you done?” Brianna asked.
“Hey, Mark, come with me alright. I got something downstairs.” Alex said his arms down and open wide for Mark to take so Alex could put him on his shoulders. Brianna followed behind.

In the lit courtyard with Japanese lanterns that lit the courtyard was a battery operated SUV. Black. “Now you can be like me.” Alex said to Mark.
“Alex, no, this is too much.” Brianna remarked to him, Mark already in the car and moving the steering wheel.
“Every kid has to have one of these. It has a charger and everything. It only goes a few miles so he won’t be that far away from you. These are so cool. Have you seen these babies drive?” Alex remarked.
“Mommy can I drive?” Mark asked, his little face looking up at Brianna.
“Yeah Mommy.” Alex mimicked kneeling down next to Mark. Brianna rolled her eyes and sighed, slightly smiling.

Mark actually fell asleep behind the wheel. Alex able to stop the car. Brianna picked up Mark while Alex put the car in the storage unit putting it under lock and key and followed them upstairs to the apartment.

Closing Mark’s door, Brianna leaned back against the door and sighed. “How are you?” He asked, waiting for her standing opposite the door, wanting to know how Brianna really was. “Don’t start.” She replied walking away from him, walking back into the living room to clear up the toys and paper from earlier.
“You can tell me. It would have been tough today, Father’s Day as well.” Alex remarked.
“I miss him like hell. He wanted to go down to the park today, I just managed to contain my emotions. Trying to be happy is damn hard.”Brianna sighed standing up with a whole pile of wrapping in her hand ready to put in the rubbish bag.
“I miss him like hell too.” Alex whispered putting a hand on her arm, the papers falling to the ground.